Actions

Work Header

anywhere with you

Summary:

Two kingdoms came together after a brief, but bloody, war and brokered peace, strengthening the bond between them. The price? One of the kings sending his son as a peace offering. King Berthold was baffled at the prospect and the reason behind Prince Mustang's arrival. It was completely unexpected. However, with another invasion from the north looming on the horizon just beyond their forest borders, he had no choice but to keep Roy by his side. At a loss of where to assign him in his grief, Prince Mustang was appointed as Princess Riza Hawkeye's guard.

-

A Royai fantasy and adventure AU

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1

Notes:

i first started writing this story way back in september 2020 and worked on it quite a bit before it fell to the wayside. it sat untouched for a year before tonight and i’ve finally decided to post the first chapter bc if i don’t i will never get round to finishing this beast haha. and i really want to for the bants

idk what the schedule will be for updating i’m keeping it loosey goosey so i don’t stress myself out w it but it will definitely be finished. i already have 8 chapters sitting there complete anyway so its on the way to being done i just don't know how often i’ll get round to editing

hope u enjoy reading!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Riza Hawkeye sighed heavily, closing the journal she’d been writing in. One hand rested atop the leather cover after doing so, finding no desire to remove it just yet. She let her hand linger, her pointer finger lightly brushing absentmindedly over the gold leaf embellishment of the pattern. It was fading now due to its age, some parts of it missing. Worn away. The book had been with her since childhood – a gift from long ago – and held a special place in her heart.

Riza’s shoulders slumped, suddenly weighed down with the burden she’d found herself with, that her family had found themselves with, which was now all noted down within her journal.

She’d applied the practice of writing down her thoughts in the hopes it would ease her mind, to rid herself of her worries. She still felt the same fears as before, however her mind did feel somewhat lighter. It felt like she could think clearly for the first time in days.

Riza was pleased, but mostly relieved.

Sitting back in her chair, Riza stared at the book. The childish, ridiculous urge to glare at it overcame her in her overwhelmed state, simply because of the information it contained, but Riza dismissed it. Becoming angry at an inanimate object would decidedly not benefit her.

Instead, she turned her gaze away, and it came to rest upon her jewellery box at the edge of her writing desk. Like the journal, it was an old gift. Worn at the corners, with the light wood discoloured in places after being handled so many times over the years. The paint on the lid had faded with time and exposure to the sun, blurring from a rather vibrant green, like the leaves on the trees outside Riza’s window, to the seafoam green of the sea, faraway in the west.

Leaning forward, Riza reached inside and pulled out the most important, sentimental piece of jewellery she owned. A necklace.

A light chain of gold ran through Riza’s fingers like water as she shifted it on her palms to get a better grip of the pendant. It was a beautiful piece. A golden locket hung on the chain, the patterns on it swirls of roses and vines which reminded Riza of the castle gardens. It opened up and the words “all my love, little Riza” lay inscribed on the inside of the metal. Riza swiped her thumb over the letters, a small smile playing on her lips. It was a gift from her mother.

The tight fist of grief constricted around Riza’s heart. She closed the locket and placed it back in the jewellery box, lowering the lid with great care.

It had been a year since her mother’s passing, and it felt like this crushing pain in her chest would never leave. Sometimes it left her breathless, heaving for breath and aching all over, just like the day she’d been informed of her death.

The sound of a knock disturbed Riza from her thoughts, dragging her attention away from the journal, the necklace, and the memories associated with them.

“Come in,” she beckoned.

Turning her head, she saw her personal guard enter her private rooms.

Roy Mustang was of average height with a strong build. His black hair was short in length compared to what was common in Riza’s kingdom. His preference was to keep it short so he could see what he was hitting with his sword. He’d also said having short hair meant the ends were less likely to catch on fire back home. Even with his playful wink, Riza still wasn’t sure if that was a joke or not.

His stride was long and purposeful, although not hurried. He possessed an elegance she could be envious of at times. His movements were fluid, seeming to glide across the floor as he moved. It was a common trait amongst the people born near the volcanic lands to the south, apparently. A result of their training in one of the preferred fighting styles.

He was of the Fire Kingdom, forged from fire, her father had always told her as a child, their movements like molten metal. It was an old myth, dating back eons, that their ancestors were born from the volcanoes which littered their lands and surrounded their borders, so they’d settled there. They always felt at one with the power of the mountains and felt more comfortable being near them.

Riza’s kingdom was nowhere near the Fire Kingdom’s and had asked her guard if he missed it at all or felt a longing to return. He’d just shrugged and given an indifferent reply. He’d quickly moved on from the subject, giving Riza the impression that he didn’t particularly care to talk about it.

Roy had come to live with Riza and her father in the castle shortly after her mother passed. It was a show of faith and loyalty to Riza’s father from the Fire Kingdom’s King. There was some bad blood between her kingdom and Roy’s, stemming from the invasion which had hit both their lands hard, however Riza’s more so. Information had gotten muddled in communication lines, and there were accusations aid didn’t come when it should have, so in order to maintain peace, the King had sent his youngest son as a peace offering.

From their first meeting Roy had been indifferent about his new station and duty, and Riza had thought it odd they’d send a person for peace, but never questioned it. She’d been too busy reeling from and grieving the loss of her mother. After realising his predicament, she’d made an effort to make him feel more welcome, and, over a rather short time, they’d struck up a friendship.

His cape swished around his armoured legs as Roy came to a stop a few steps away, the bottom of the rich fabric barely kissing the white marble floor of Riza’s living quarters.

Roy’s clothing was notably different from the rest of the people within Riza’s kingdom. Where her people favoured green, the prince’s ceremonial armour – what he wore most days – was red with accents of gold and black throughout it, and the metal plating itself made of lightweight steel. His family’s crest was emblazoned on the chest piece – a typical image of a flame carved into the metal in the foreground with a mountain peak rising behind it, both framed by two rivers of lava, coiling around them to meet at the centre, before “flowing” to a point at the bottom of the crest.

The typical uniform in Riza’s kingdom was relatively the same as Roy’s, however with green instead of red dominating the design. She hailed from the forests, so it was only natural their crest, their banner, and their guard’s uniforms represented the greenery which flourished throughout their lands. Even Riza’s royal cloak was a deep forest green. It was essential for them blending into their surroundings, her people preferring stealth as they moved. The abundance of trees made it easy to do so.

Coming to a stop, Roy fisted his hand over his heart and bowed low. After straightening his spine, his fist remained over his heart for another beat before lowering. Another custom from the Fire Kingdom. In the Forest Kingdom the guards simply bowed and remained there until permitted to rise. Riza thought it a silly and unnecessary custom, asking someone to maintain such an uncomfortable position until another allowed them to rise, however, it was tradition, as her father wearily told her over and over. She’d always made a point to bid people to rise as soon as possible when propriety absolutely demanded it but stopped her people from doing so whenever she could. It was an old, outdated tradition and she didn’t like it.

“Is something the matter, Your Highness?” Roy’s expression was concerned, and his head cocked to the side slightly as he regarded her.

“I am quite all right, Prince Mustang,” she replied. “It’s been a long day.”

“More news from the north?”

She nodded. “I’m afraid so.” She patted the top of her journal a final time before turning her back on it. “Every day I fear another invasion will come.”

It was the first invasion from the North which had claimed her mother.

“We have good defences, Your Highness.” Roy’s tone was confident, as was his expression. “Better than what you had before, your father is sure of it. We’ll be ready.”

Riza smirked to herself, appreciating his belief, however, she couldn’t help but worry. “Thank you, My Prince.”

“For what, Your Highness?”

“For always listening.”

“It’s no issue, you know that.”

“I know. It’s nice to be heard sometimes,” she sighed.

“Then I’ll always be here to do so, Your Highness.”

Her father was so concerned with the northern threat that he spent day after day cooped up in his office, strategizing and planning. He wouldn’t even consider consulting Riza because he was too wrapped up in preventing another tragedy similar to what had befallen them a year ago. She could understand it to an extent however a distance had been growing between them over the last year, when she needed him most.

Riza was glad she at least had Roy to talk to.

Riza deeply valued their friendship and his presence in her life. And even though they’d become friends, he still insisted on calling her ‘Your Highness’ or Princess. She’d tried to meet a compromise, as she was technically on the same level of society as her, both being children of the current kings, but Roy was adamant in using the titles. As a guest in their kingdom, he would not dishonour her and her family as referring to her as anything less.

She had frowned at that.

So, she extended him the same respect and called him Prince Mustang or 'My Prince'. It was the least he deserved after uprooting his life and coming here.

Offering Roy a tight smile, Riza stood from her chair and began tidying up her things.

“Take the night off, Prince Mustang,” she directed. “I’ll simply be in my rooms for the remainder of the evening. There’s no need to guard me in my own home.”

“I cannot do that, Your Highness,” he replied.

Riza’s hands paused on the face of her journal and her brow furrowed. “Excuse me?”

“I am tasked to guard you, Princess. I cannot take the night off. It’s not in my duties to do so.”

Her eyes narrowed slightly. It was not to threaten. It was to scrutinise. Roy remained steadfast as she did so, the corner of his lips tugging up slightly in amusement. He wasn’t toying with her, but Riza knew for a fact he enjoyed riling her up. It was a hobby of his, and it could be incredibly infuriating.

“What if I ordered it,” Riza ventured.

He shrugged. “I have nowhere else to go, Your Highness. I would simply remain outside your rooms if you did, so I may as well be guarding them.”

Riza’s frown was full now. He did have somewhere to go. He had his own rooms. “You can go and rest,” she countered.

“I wouldn’t be able to rest, Your Highness, knowing you were unguarded.”

She huffed when his lips formed a playful grin. He was teasing her with his answers for everything.

“Suit yourself, My Prince,” she replied with a dismissive wave of her hands. Picking up her journal, she placed it inside the drawer of her desk. The pen she’d been using resting atop it. “However, I am going to take a bath. I do not need your protection in there.”

“Understood, Your Highness. I shall be waiting outside your rooms. Call on me if there is anything you need.” Without another word, he turned on his heel and left.

Right from their initial meeting Riza had always thought he was an odd one. Not maliciously, however he was the only person she knew who was prone to joking and teasing. He did it mercilessly sometimes to her. It infuriated Riza no end, but over time she’d started to see some amusement in it. Since he was her friend, Riza didn’t mind it too much, however there were times when his behaviour still confused her no end.

When he’d first arrived, she’d never experienced such a cocky and teasing attitude before – no one within her kingdom treated their Princess like that – and had become angry, infuriated, at his actions. After her father had calmed her down, he explained that was the way of the Fire Kingdom. They were more laid back and were much less serious than those who hailed from the forests. Realising her faux pa, Riza had sought Roy out and apologised. There was a twinkle in his eyes that Riza couldn’t discern, and she also didn’t like how he’d winked at her then told her not to worry about it before sauntering off to speak with her father, stating there was no harm done.

That moment had sparked his desire to try and get a rise from her as often as he could, Riza was sure of it. Luckily, she’d quickly learned to control her reactions and not give in to his teasing.

Despite the confusion and infuriation, it was a good thing, Riza thought, Roy had come here. His arrival had lightened up the castle and with his input at the request of her father, their evenings were livelier and there was less of a sombre mood around the castle, especially after the invasion.

Riza sank back into the white marble bathtub and let out a sigh. The heat from the water soothed her tense and aching shoulders and neck, banishing all her thoughts of the evening so her mind could finally try and slow to a gentle stop. The warmth embraced her body like a hug, holding her tight.

It reminded Riza of her mother’s hugs.

Her eyes popped open at that thought.

Even the smell of the soap did as well – a rich pine scent which had been her mother’s favourite perfume.

Riza stilled in the bath. A single tear escaped from the corner of her eye, and she sucked in a shaky breath.

These moments were desperate to sneak up on her this evening it seemed.

With a sudden jerk she raised herself out of the tub, no longer wishing to dwell in such a place that sparked those memories.

Hastily dried and dressed, Riza hurried to the door of her living quarters.

Roy turned when the door opened, looking at her expectantly.

“Princess?”

“I’ll be taking a walk in the garden tonight.” Riza walked past him, not sparing him a glance. She couldn’t, for she was too distracted. Her mind was troubled and plagued with thoughts of her late mother as she walked.

Being so engrossed in her thoughts, she didn’t even pick up on Roy’s footsteps behind her until she sat heavily on a bench in the castle gardens and caught the movement out the corner of her eye.

“You don’t need to stay,” she dismissed, her tone revealing more of her misery than she would have liked. She cleared her throat and steeled herself against the barrage of memories her thoughts that evening had unlocked within her, forcing herself to get her emotions under control.

“I know.” Roy’s tone was simple and gentle but inflected in a way which suggested he wished to do so anyway.

“I’m afraid I won’t be the best company this evening, Prince Mustang.”

“That’s okay, Your Highness.”

Her eyes fluttered closed. She wanted to be left alone, to get some fresh air and clear her head while she mourned her mother once more, and yet, she was still glad Roy was here? It was confusing but Riza could not deny how she felt tiny slivers of happiness and relief blossoming within her chest at the fact he hadn’t left her when she’d told him to, that he’d remained by her side.

“Why are you here,” she asked gently.

Her question caused a moment of pause. “Here, Your Highness?”

“Yes, here. In the garden. Following after me.”

“It is my duty, Your Highness.”

She shook her head. “I’ve dismissed you twice tonight and yet, you refuse to leave. I want to know your reasons.” Riza cringed at her wording. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for that to sound like an order.” She took a deep breath and gave herself a mental shake so she could think more clearly. “I apologise. I would like to know why, but you don’t need to share.”

“May I?”

Riza nodded as Roy gestured to the bench, asking permission to sit next to her.

“Maybe I just enjoy your company, Your Highness.” Roy sighed quietly to himself, pleased, when the weight was off his feet. The metal of his armour clinked as he made himself comfortable.

Riza snorted at his response. “You and I both know you’re not here because you want to be.”

Roy Mustang was thrust into the position of her personal guard against his will. Riza's father hadn’t expected the peace offering of the Fire Kingdom King’s son. So when Roy announced the reason why he’d come to them, Berthold was stunned and stumped. He’d struggled to think of a place for him, finally settling on appointing Roy part of Riza’s guard.

At first, Riza had never considered how hard it must have been for him. He’d been ripped from his home and thrust into their arms thanks to the actions of their fathers. He was an adult and a gifted fighter, however he probably had family back home, had friends too, and now he was stuck here. Riza’s father was not a cruel man, but when the offering was given, he’d accepted and Riza knew he had no desire to give Roy up. It meant the bitter talks between the two kingdoms could cease.

If Berthold held the life of one of the Fire Kingdom’s own in his hands, they’d have no choice to offer their support and assistance if another attack came.

“In certain aspects, that’s true,” Roy answered.

Riza shot him a sideways glance. “What aspects are they?”

Roy shrugged. “It’s cold outside at night, especially in your kingdom.” He shivered as if to further prove his point. “I do miss my home for that. The surrounding volcanoes kept everything warm.” He shot her a grin.

But Riza blinked back at him.

That was the first time he’d ever openly spoken of his homeland.

“What else?”

Now, it was Roy’s turn to blink at her. “That’s it.”

“That’s it?” Her tone was dubious.

Roy nodded. “That’s it, Your Highness.” A quiet laugh left him at the look of surprise on her face.

“But… Do you miss your home?”

The amusement on his face faded slowly and his jaw locked. Since he was suddenly in such a sharing mood, Riza wondered if she could possibly find out more about her guard. Her friend. It felt like she was the only person in the kingdom who knew him, for he never really ventured far from her side, but at the same time, knew nearly nothing about him.

Roy didn’t answer her question.

“Would you ever want to go back?”

He sighed. “We should go back inside, Princess. Conversing like this can happen inside the warmth of your living quarters, rather than in the cold of the night.”

“I’m fine with the temperature,” she reassured him. However, she scrutinised the side of his face. He’d actively avoided her question. He did that a lot. That’s why she was so surprised to hear him discuss his home. “You can go back inside if you wish.”

“Then I’ll wait.”

Frustration built within her chest, making her sigh, which bordered on a huff. “You’re cold. Go inside.”

Roy shook his head. “I can’t. I’ve got to guard you, remember,” he winked.

“I think I’ll be fine in my own garden,” she replied, keeping her tone as even as she could. “And,” she glared at him, but there was no real heat behind it, “I’ve been trained to defend myself, My Prince. You know that. I think I’ll be just fine, should the need arise for me to do so.”

“Still, Your Highness, I think I’d prefer to stay.”

Riza threw her hands up in the air in defeat.

“I simply enjoy your company that much.”

Roy let out an amused chuckle when Riza narrowed her eyes at him.

Notes:

before u mention it the names of kingdoms are creative as hell 😌😌 i know 😌💅 big brain naming over here … not lmao. but i thought hey, let’s keep it simple!

this is pure self indulgence. and i thought “what story have i not written for these two or tried yet?” so here we are with another au. i know, shock. i know roleswaps aren't for everyone and that's ok! but its also an excuse for me to treat riza like the queen she is so :)))) hope u enjoy the ride if u come along for it

further world building and explanations will come don’t worry. i didn’t want to info overload in the first chapter (although i probs have LMAO)

ANYWAY it's now almost 1am and i'm up at 7 for work aaaahaha the things i do for the fic. thank u for reading if u made it this far and i'll see u for the next one <333

Chapter 2

Notes:

a quick update bc the vibes and the mood have been so good today that i've been feeling rather motivated on this fine sunday :)

also, just fyi, this fic will be following a specific character pov per chapter, so it will go riza pov then roy pov then back and forth throughout

hope yous have all had a good weekend! and that the upcoming week is kind to u <3

Chapter Text

Roy scrutinised his appearance closely in the mirror before him. Everything was in place, from the brilliant, gilded gold clasps of his fiery red cloak as he secured it around his shoulders to the gleaming shine of his boots. He ran a hand through his hair, tousling the strands so they sat nicer. It did the trick and he nodded in acceptance. He finally looked presentable.

He turned and locked the door to his private rooms upon exiting. They were far more lavish than anything he’d ever expected to receive when he arrived here, in the Forest Kingdom. He had his own living area and bedroom, as well as a large bathing area. There was a small kitchen area in there too, for when he needed a glass of water and didn’t want to trail down to the castle kitchens. He also kept his own preference of elven wines and dwarven beer. Not that he tapped into the supply often, but it was nice to have if needed. Food wasn’t scarce either, and was replenished every few days. There was a decent supply should he need it, covered for a few days at the very least.

When Roy’s father had bargained for peace with his life, Roy had expected the worst. However, King Hawkeye was not unkind. He’d been distracted in his grief for his late wife, but he’d welcomed Roy without question after overcoming his initial shock.

Roy gritted his teeth as he walked the halls, remembering how he’d been traded like cattle by his own father to bring about peace.

It was an important concept. Roy was no fool. He’d fought in the war and it was messy. He never wanted to experience something like that again so long as he lived. A foolish desire, but one could still hope.

He felt a mildly amused laugh bubble within his chest, threaten to spill over, but it quickly died and fizzled out when he finished his next thought.

A childish wish, his father would have scolded him.

Roy knew as soon as they arrived to the battlefield the communication lines had been skewed, because by the time their army had arrived at the border of the northern forests, there were far more casualties sustained by the Forest Kingdom than had been reported. The invasion by the Northern enemy – the Orcs – had nearly succeeded thanks to that error alone.

Roy didn’t know what had happened and didn’t bother to ask. His father wouldn’t have told him anyway. He’d returned from fighting, had a terrible time recovering from his wounds, and a month later his father had carted him off, back to the forests, to live in the castle as an offering to strengthen the Fire Kingdom’s alliance with the Forest’s.

Nothing more than a pawn in a larger game.

As Roy rounded the corner he saw some servants transporting linen through the hallway. He straightened his posture and forced those memories from his mind as he inclined his head and offered them a friendly greeting.

He had work to do and would contemplate his past once the day was over if he still desired to entertain it. Not that he ever did. The less he thought about his family and his past, the better.

His booted footsteps were muffled by the plush green carpet which covered the stone flooring. It felt like he was walking on the forest floor outside the city. Soft and spongey, just like moss. Pillars were situated along the walls at about fifty metre intervals, merged masterfully with the lustrous birch panelling which covered them. It was designed as if they were an extension of the wood and was beautifully done. It looked entirely natural. In between each pillar was a painting depicting the different vistas of the forest outside the castle walls. From the massive, granite cliffs to the north with their thundering waterfalls, to the warmth of the hidden fairy groves of the Kingdom’s south, humid, hot, and often thought of as nothing more than a mirage in the summer heat. The ceiling was high and covered in glass, showcasing the branches and leaves of the canopy above as well as letting in an ample amount of sunlight.

The trees were dense around the castle and Roy had been surprised to learn the royal family honoured the area by building around the trees, rather than removing them. One of his favourite examples of this was in Princess Riza’s private rooms. The ceiling was glass like the rest of the castle, but a cherry blossom grew over it. It was a beautiful sight in the spring when it bloomed and left a carpet of pink in its wake.

The castle as a whole was a huge contrast to his childhood home. That was all slate and grey and just plain boring. Stone everywhere. There was no foliage, no paintings. They could easily catch on fire his father had flippantly explained, brushing a young Roy off. It was ridiculous, really. The lava from the volcanoes, if they ever did violently erupt, would never reach the castle. They had their city walls to protect them from that, but Roy’s father was always paranoid and had little interest in things which wouldn’t personally benefit him or excel the prosperity of his kingdom.

“Prince Mustang?”

He answered the call to him immediately. Spotting King Hawkeye standing outside of his personal study, Roy approached hurriedly, adjusting his course, and bowed, fisting his hand over his heart.

“Yes, Your Highness?”

Berthold jerked his head, indicating to inside the room. “I wish to speak to you, if you’re not too busy?”

“Of course, Your Highness.”

Another thing Roy quickly had to get used to was the respect. Not that his home was awful. He had been a Crown Prince, after all, however his father despised him. He never said as much, never showed it outright, but Roy wasn’t blind. A war ten years ago in the far west had taken the King’s eldest son from him. The war Roy had fought in a year ago had claimed his middle son. That left the King with only his youngest and he was bitter about it apparently.

Roy wouldn’t be surprised if the revelation came to pass the King wished Roy had died instead of his elder brother. He wouldn’t lose sleep over it either. Not nowadays, as it was plain to see.

It was odd, though, after losing his wife, Roy’s mother, and two of his sons, that his father would pass Roy off to a neighbouring kingdom, but it only cemented the idea that his father no longer cared for him. No longer wished to see him.

Roy had come to this conclusion after the northern invasion, during his recovery. He never saw his father once and the next time he did, as Roy limped into the King’s personal study, he was shipping him back to the Forest Kingdom as his pawn without so much as a “hello, son, how are you?”. While painful, Roy was not as affected by his father’s disinterest in him as a son probably should have been. It came to him as more of a resigned, expected realisation. And of course, duty had been drilled into Roy and his brothers from a very early age. The King had always emphasised the importance of making their kingdom prosper, so Roy accepted his new responsibility with minimal fuss and limped out the room without a backward glance.

His father wouldn’t have looked up form his desk to see him off anyway.

Stepping inside King Hawkeye’s study, Roy closed the door quietly behind him and walked behind Berthold as he approached his desk. The man was not particularly old, however, in that moment, he looked it. His shoulders were rounded forward and his back was hunched slightly. His hands shook as he grasped the back of the chair he would offer to Roy before he moved to sit in his own.

Roy held his tongue, but he wished to ask if the King was all right.

“I have something important to discuss, and something to ask of you.” Berthold shifted in his chair as he started to gather up his papers. Roy glanced over them, noting the maps and war formations drawn on each. “I will not order it, it is entirely your choice, but it is important to me personally. You’re the only person I can trust with this.”

“Me?” Roy blinked at the King. How could he, an outsider of the kingdom, be the only person he trusted with a task?

He even wore red to honour his homeland, rather than the green of the guard here. Many commented on it behind his back, stating he was rebelling against King Hawkeye and that he wasn’t to be trusted. In all honesty, it was his mother’s favourite colour. When Roy had picked it, it was to honour her memory, as well as his fallen brothers.

“Yes, you,” King Hawkeye repeated patiently.

It was then, Roy realised he'd slipped up. He snapped his jaw shut, realising his outburst of surprise had neglected the use of the proper respect towards the King. However, he didn’t seem to mind too much. He didn’t even pause or bat an eye at it.

“I’ve been working in here nonstop with my advisors and gathering as much intel as I can in order to come up with some kind of plan.”

“You fear another invasion,” Roy stated slowly.

“I do,” he nodded. There was no hesitation on his speech. “It’s not a fear of it, though, it’s guaranteed. It is of when it will come. It’s only a matter of time. I must ask one thing of you, because of this.”

Roy leaned forward in response, listening intently.

“Remember,” the King shot him a glance, “you do not need to accept. I would like you to as it will give me some peace of mind, but there is no pressure at all.”

That was another thing Roy had to get used to. Being given a choice in what he wanted to do.

“Your Highness, what is it you would ask of me?”

“When the time comes, I want you to dedicate your duties to getting my daughter out of here.”

Roy blinked at him. “Out of here, Your Highness?”

Berthold nodded. “The invasion will come and we will be ready, but I need you to make sure Riza gets out of the kingdom. I lost her mother to the last invasion. I will not lose her too.” The King’s lips pressed into a thin line. “Should anything happen to me, I wish for you to look out for her, watch her back, and give her the guidance she may need to keep moving forward.”

Roy blinked again. Of all the things he expected, this was not one of them.

The King took his silence for distaste. “I sense your hesitation. You do not need to accept –”

“Not hesitation, Your Highness. Just surprise,” Roy interjected quickly. “I’m… I’m honoured you think so highly of me, however, what about the late Queen’s father?”

“I have consulted with Walter. He proposed the idea. He is not up to such a protection detail in his old age, his words not mine,” he added with a small quirk of his lips. “Plus, the Northern Orcs took his daughter from him too soon. He has a score to settle.”

“The Princess will not be thrilled about being removed from the conflict,” Roy warned.

She always reminded Roy she could take care of herself, and Roy was well aware that she could, but he’d been ordered to do so by the King, and he wasn’t about to mess up anything here. If he was kicked out for being dissident then his father would be furious. He wouldn’t be welcomed back in his childhood home, but in all honesty, now, Roy didn’t think that was a bad thing.

He’d have no home, however, and that would be a bad thing.

The King nodded. “I know she won’t. However, she will do her duty and what is asked of her. If I fall, she is my heir and the next in line. She knows this.”

“You have my word, Your Highness. I will ensure her safety.”

The King sighed. So huge was his relief it looked like a great physical weight had been lifted from his shoulders. His spine lengthened and he sat straighter in his chair. His eyes looked lighter, the lines around them becoming less pronounced.

“Thank you, Prince Mustang.” Sincerity laced every word and Roy could tell it was entirely genuine.

Of course Roy would do such a thing for the Princess. He didn’t even need time to consider it. He never would.

“Is there anything else you wished to discuss with me, Your Highness?”

The King paused, thinking upon something for a moment. “Yes.”

Roy settled back into his chair after preparing to stand.

“I wanted to thank you for all your hard work during the time you’ve been here.”

“Your Highness?”

“It could not have been easy for you to be thrust into this position. I was incredibly surprised when you arrived in my throne room, claiming you were the peace offering. I hope your time here hasn’t been entirely unpleasant?”

Compared to living with his father, this place was paradise.

“No, Your Highness. It hasn’t been unpleasant at all,” Roy answered truthfully.

“It still isn’t the life you would have planned or dreamed of, is it?” He offered Roy a sympathetic smile, who swallowed in response.

He’d never been allowed to dream of what he wanted. His father told him what he had to do and that was it.

Roy remained silent.

“If it were up to me, I would let you go in a heartbeat, however I am afraid I must be a selfish man. This invasion will come and I will need to call upon your father’s aid when it does, for the sake of my people.”

“You’re not selfish, Your Highness. And do not fear, I understand.”

“I appreciate your assurances.” The King stood. As he passed Roy’s chair, he patted him on the shoulder. A fond gesture. “You’re a good person, Roy.”

He was thoroughly caught off guard by the use of his forename. Roy nearly rocked in his chair in surprise.

“That was all for today. You may go.”

The King shuffled into another room in his study leaving Roy sitting alone in his chair.

His mind was lost in thought as he walked to meet the Princess. He mulled over what the King said. He had no issue with devoting his life to protecting the Princess. That was what he did already and was more than happy to do so. He enjoyed her company. She was pleasant to talk to and he –

Roy stopped himself, swallowing thickly as butterflies threatened to create a swarm within his stomach. It was better not to venture down that path within his mind. After all, his duties always came first. No matter what.

Stopping outside Riza’s private quarters, he knocked as was customary and waited for her to answer the door. It was simply a way of announcing his presence and Roy never expected the door to open for him immediately, but it did that morning.

“Good morning, Princess,” he greeted.

“Good morning, My Prince,” Riza quipped with a grin. “I must ask you a favour.” She turned and walked away from him.

“Princess?” His voice trailed off when he realised exactly what he was seeing as she left him nearly stunned in the doorway.

It appeared the royal family was full of surprises this morning.

Collecting himself, Roy entered her rooms and closed the door quickly so no one else would see.

Swallowing, Roy took a quiet breath and immediately regretted it. The scent of pine leaves with a hint of lavender permeated the air and was a smell that quintessentially Riza. It was tantalising and wafted off her still wet hair as she tossed it around her shoulders, darker than the golden colour he was used to as it fell down her back.

Riza grasped a towel from the back of the chair by her desk and bent at the waist so the strands fell forward. She swept her hair up in a complicated manoeuvre, one he couldn’t quite entirely fathom, as the fabric was tied around her hair so expertly and quickly and was suddenly all tucked up inside the fluffy white towel. One errant strand floated downwards, having been missed as she swept her hair up, and hung around her neck.

“I was wondering if you would you be so kind as to fix my ties?”

Now that her hair was out of the way Roy saw the extent of the gap in the back of her dress. It exposed the flesh of her back completely to him.

“I was about to remove my dress to untangle them, but I was wondering, since you’re here, if you’d be able to assist me?”

“Yes, of course, Your Highness.” He agreed but almost stammered like a youth while doing so.

“I apologise for my state of undress, My Prince,” she added, not turning to face him. However, in the reflection of the mirror, he could see how nonplussed, how innocent, she looked while exposing such an expanse of her flesh to him. “However, I’m thankful you came along when you did.”

No, her state of undress wasn’t appropriate. Roy swallowed and took a step forward, pushing down the fluttering in his stomach when she uttered those words. That scent he’d picked up wouldn’t leave him alone and continued to assault his nostrils.

He thought the Princess was joking, but the Princess didn’t really joke. When he’d first arrived the concept had been so foreign to them, it had sparked anger with her. Roy couldn’t bring himself to care too much because he was still bitter about being pawned off to someone else but had quickly come to realise that things may not be as bad living in this kingdom as he’d initially feared.

Humour was something the Fire Kingdom learned to use, probably to stave off the fear of being caught up in a volcanic eruption. The forest people didn’t have to worry about such things. However, while they were more serious, they were caring and kind. The nurtured life beautifully, a skilled honed after thousands of years of living within the hearts of the forests. They were a gentle people, whereas his brethren back home would pick fights with one another over anything. Never maliciously, but the majority were a rowdy, excitable bunch.

When Roy finally halted his approach at Riza’s back, he stared down at the exposed flesh.

He’d warned himself not to go too far down this particular line of thought as he’d walked here, but now with this situation thrust upon him it was difficult not to do so.

Princess Riza Hawkeye was regal and ethereal in her beauty. Roy often thought Riza was crafted by the forest around her. Her hair tumbled down her back like the largest waterfall in the region, situated to the north, which she favoured and visited often. Her fringe mimicked the wings of the birds which swooped through the bright, blue sky above them. The colour of it was golden, like the sun shining high above them on this summer’s morning. Everywhere she went, the strands caught the light, whether it was the soft glow of a fire or the gleam of the cheerful sun. Her features were soft and kind, always shooting him a smile in passing. She was also wicked with a blade, like the sharp thorns of the roses in the castle gardens.

Roy had been surprised the first time she’d sparred against him. He didn’t know what to expect and the next thing he knew, he was flat on his back. A satisfied smile had crossed Riza’s face as she stared down at him on the dusty training ground. After hopping to his feet Roy had demanded a rematch with a grin. He knew at that point his time here would be an interesting one.

Steadying his hands and exhaling slowly, Roy gently grasped the lace at the back of her court dress. As he moved his fingers accidentally brushed against her skin, causing Riza to jump at sudden the contact. Her back was so soft to the touch, and warm. Tantalising. Gritting his teeth, Roy continued with his task and fought down the colour threatening to flush his face, doing his best to ignore the heat from her skin which was caressing his hands.

“There,” he stated. As soon as the ties were untangled and fixed as was proper Roy took a hasty step away. He was tasked with being her guard, nothing more. There was no room for anything else in the Princess’ life anyway. “All done, Your Highness,” he announced.

“Thank you, My Prince.” She turned her head and shot him an appreciative smile before tearing the towel off her head. Tossing her hair, she ran her hands through it, stirring the scent so it wafted pleasantly towards Roy once more, making him stiffen.

“How are you this morning, Your Highness?” Roy asked the first thing which popped into his head. Plus, he was curious.

Last night he’d sensed a deep sadness from her. She never divulged what it was and when she’d tried to push him away, he’d declined. He was correct, it was his duty to protect her. He was part of her guard, after all. However he also recognised when she was suffering. He’d seen it a lot over his time here and from what he could pick up, it stemmed from the loss of her mother. His heart ached for Riza, for he knew exactly what it felt like. Of course, Riza didn’t know that – Roy didn’t like to talk about his family or his past. He’d never shared it, even with the King. Though, King Hawkeye could take a few guesses, given he’d been in contact with Roy’s father more than once for official matters, but he wouldn't know for sure.

“I am well, Mr Prince,” she replied, however her speech was controlled, as if afraid she’d give something away she didn’t intend to.

Roy knew all about that. It happened every time she asked if he missed his home.

“How are you?”

Her question jerked Roy from his thoughts. He clenched his hands into fists, hiding them behind his back. His fingers were still tingling after he’d brushed against her back and he did his best to rub them together thoroughly to rid himself of the feeling. “Very well, Your Highness. It’s a beautiful morning which always improves my mood.”

“Oh?” Concern overtook her features as she stared back at him through the mirror. “Has something happened to do the opposite?”

“No, Your Highness,” he shook his head. “I am well.”

Riza had brushed her hair out so now it was stick straight and still wet, however he recognised the aura of magic around her head. There was a sudden buzzing sound and a swarm of tiny creatures, about four inches tall, split into two groups and wound themselves around Riza’s head quickly.

Pixies.

Her hair dried with their freely provided magic within seconds, letting it tumble loosely down her back. Her fringe fell softly against her forehead, framing her face and leaving it perfectly situated out of her captivating honey eyes.

Roy had never seen anything like it before. Pixies were not fond of increasingly hot climates such as his homeland and though he’d caught a glimpse of one or two of the creatures moving through the trees as he spent time in the castle gardens and the forest, he’d never seen a flock as large as this before. He’d certainly never seen a group attend to someone’s needs such as this. Like the Princess, they were mesmerising as they worked. They flocked to her happily and with ease. Riza drew them in, so much so they came to her aid without her even having to ask.

The Princess truly was a marvel in Roy’s eyes.

“Thank you,” Riza grinned at them. She inclined her head in gratitude and the group bobbed and giggled as one – a truly magical, tinkling sound filling the air – before they flew off and out the open window behind Riza’s mirror, climbing up into the summer sky and into the trees beyond.

“Prince Mustang, you know you can talk to me about anything, don’t you?”

His jaw was not hanging open wide in his awe, but he did end up having to close his parted lips and snap his attention back to the Princess as she spoke. She easily gathered and diverted his attention away from his thoughts of her and the magical creatures.

“Yes, Your Highness.” Giving himself a shake, Roy forced himself to recentre his focus.

“You’re my closest confidant in this castle,” she added, turning her gaze down towards the floor almost shyly, yet her tone remained hopeful. “I hope I can be the same for you?”

Roy nodded. “I know, Your Highness.”

What he would give to share all his past with her, to tell her how happy he was he’d been brought here despite his initial reservations. How ecstatic he was he’d been able to meet her. But, they were not on such equal footing, no matter how often she insisted otherwise. He’d been shipped here under orders and had to follow the task set to him, to serve her kingdom, at the behest of his father and hers. For peace. When their fathers decided Roy’s time was up and his task done, he’d be sent packing back home, back to his kingdom, where Roy had no desire to live.

Not without her.

“Breakfast?”

Once more, he was jerked from his thoughts. Riza had walked over to the door and had turned to look at him expectantly. A rather inquisitive look marred her fine features. Concern tinted her caramel irises as she turned fully to look at him more closely, noticing his diverted attention.

 Roy had to clear his throat and take a deep breath before he answered, trying to keep his voice as even as possible.

“Of course, Your Highness. Lead the way.”

Chapter 3

Notes:

i'm away on holiday next week so there won't be a chapter for another wee while sorry! but here's one to keep u going for a wee bit :) hope u enjoy!

Chapter Text

“What are your thoughts on the different lands, Prince Mustang?”

The question appeared to have broken him from a reverie. Roy didn’t so much as jolt from his thoughts, but it was obvious his mind had been elsewhere. “The different lands, Your Highness?”

Riza nodded. “Yes. The different kingdoms. Have you ever visited any of the others?”

She wasn’t aware if Roy had ever ventured far out with his own kingdom. Being the youngest son of the King, she wondered if that granted him more freedoms in what he could do compared to his siblings, as it would be his eldest brother who assumed the throne when the time came.

Her head cocked to the side as a thought suddenly occurred to her, expression changing to regard the prince curiously while his attention was still diverted. Riza wondered what his brothers looked like. Did they look like Roy? And what about his parents? Did he inherit his looks from the King, the Queen, or was he a blend of both? Having never met them, she didn’t know, and the thought left her pondering her friend’s life. Riza knew not to push. Roy obviously didn’t like talking about his family, so she’d never ventured forth to ask. But it still didn’t kill her curiosity.

Roy shook his head as he poured milk into his morning tea. “Just this one, Your Highness.” His jaw set and he extended his arm, placing the milk jug back in the middle of the table, before retracting it and picking up his knife and fork to begin eating.

Sighing quietly to herself, Riza sensed that was the end of that conversation.

Riza got along very well with Roy. They were friends. He could joke with her and liked to tease, but there were days when he was so serious. It was like a switch had been flicked on his mood. Often, Riza hoped it wasn’t because of her.

She’d meant what she said that morning of extending the offer for him to talk to her if he ever needed to. She wanted him to, because the majority of the time, his silence was an indicator something was weighing heavily on his mind. Normally, breakfast was full of conversation, jovial and pleasant, but today it was nearly silent, and Riza found herself missing the prince’s easy smile and the way it would make the edges of his eyes crinkle. She missed the sound of his laughter. Instead there was only the sound of crockery moving against each other and muffled footsteps as their food was served.

“Good morning, father,” Riza greeted as he entered the dining room. She offered him a smile as he sat down next to her at the table.

Roy jumped, as if he suddenly returned to reality. “Good morning, Your Highness.” He bowed his head hurriedly while Riza frowned at him. This behaviour was abnormal for Roy. Something must have been bothering him.

“Good morning, Riza. Prince Mustang. How are you both today?”

“I am well, father.”

“As am I.” Roy chewed thoughtfully on a piece of apple as he stared down at the tablecloth and turned quiet once more.

Riza concocted a plan throughout breakfast to try and get him to talk to her.

“I would like to go on a ride today,” she revealed to Roy as they walked back to her quarters.

“A ride, Your Highness?”

She nodded. “Up to the waterfall.”

“Princess, I do not think that is wise at the moment –”

“If you do not wish to come, I won’t force you. You can stay here, and I will go myself –”

“I’ll be there,” Roy interrupted quickly, then he cleared his throat. “I’ll be there, Your Highness,” he reiterated, his voice softer, his speech slower, this time. “Of course I will be.”

She cast another sidelong glance at him. “I need to change my clothing beforehand. Shall I meet you by the main gates in half an hour?”

Roy nodded and picked up his pace. He walked past her without verbal confirmation.

Something was definitely up with him.

His gait picked up, stride lengthening, and Roy disappeared around the corner and out of sight to head towards his own private rooms.

“Such an odd one today,” Riza muttered to herself. Her brows tugged downwards as she watched him go.

Her clothing of choice for the day was a pair of leather riding trousers and a loose-fitting white shirt, with a light leather jacket to grace her shoulders to keep off the breeze. Her boots rose to mid-calf and were black, where her trousers were brown. It was a warm day, so the perfect clothing for it, although Riza thought Roy would probably still complain it was cold here for it being the summer.

Tensions were too high currently, and had been for the past year, for Riza to travel to the Fire Kingdom to experience what the temperatures were like there. She’d never given it a thought before Roy had arrived but was curious now. Although summers in her home could become stifling and humid, after what Roy had described, how Riza would survive a summer in the Fire Kingdom, she didn’t know.

Her private rooms were on the floor above the entrance to her home, so she didn’t have far to walk to meet the prince after preparing herself for their ride. It was close to the centre of the castle with a balcony which overlooked the main courtyard leading to the throne room. She’d even caught sight of Roy and one of the stable hands leading their readied horses to the main gates right before she left to meet them. Riza still took her time as she travelled through the castle though and paused to say hello and smile at the staff members she passed by. She asked after relatives, children, and grandchildren. Everyone appeared to be doing well which made her heart happy. It left it feeling lighter and her mood was bright as she descended the steps of the main staircase.

It was a stunning morning already outside. The light filtered through the trees above the high, glass ceiling. It dappled the emerald green carpet below Riza’s feet in different and unique shapes of light, which were ever-changing and reforming thanks to the light breeze toying with the branches. It caused a smile to appear on her face as she marvelled at the beautiful kaleidoscope of colours and shapes. The thought of getting out into the bright sunshine perked her up even more. She couldn’t wait to ride through the fresh air, feel the warm sun kiss the skin of her face, and hear the birds in the trees singing their pretty songs.

In a moment of solitude – there was no one around in the entrance hall when Riza arrived – she felt her excitement swell and spill over. Riza hopped down the last step with an extra burst of energy.

Because, on top of everything else, she was getting the chance to forgo her duties and spend her morning with her friend.

“Prince Mustang,” she called to him upon her arrival in the courtyard.

His head lifted and she saw a frown currently graced his features. There was a crinkle in between his eyebrows but it smoothed out immediately upon seeing her. His spine straightened and he inclined his head in greeting. Thankfully, the corners of his lips managed to twitch up into a friendly smile.

“Princess.”

“Are you ready to go?”

“Ready when you are.”

Riza approached her black stallion with a smile. The horse snorted and whinnied softly – a happy sound. He reached his nose towards her, looking for affection, which Riza indulged. She rubbed his soft muzzle and her smile widened to a grin.

“Hello, boy.” A snicker left Riza when the horse nipped at her hair, tugging it playfully. “It’s good to see you too. It’s been a while since we last went on a ride.”

Beside her, Roy clicked his tongue at his own horse, a white mare which was dappled grey at its rump. Riza watched as a soft smile spread across his face. His features softened and the tightness around his eyes relaxed, nearly disappearing. The horse tossed its head and took a step forward, pressing its forehead into Roy’s waiting hand, then gently into his chest, making him laugh quietly to himself.

Riza’s smile didn’t leave her face after witnessing the exchange.

Their ride was a pleasant one, like always. Leaving the city walls was always a trip Riza enjoyed. As they left the protective enchantments around the outskirts the feeling of the magic tickled her skin, causing Riza to shiver in response. They left cobbled streets behind and entered the woodland, where paths were not properly marked – leaving them as natural as possible – and every trail could lead to a new adventure each day. The trees were densely populated, their thick trunks not providing much of a clear view of their path ahead, but Riza knew the way. She knew her forest like she knew her own name.

As Riza’s horse walked her head craned up to look into the canopy. Birdsong filled the space around her as they flitted from tree to tree, twittering to one another. Every so often the sun would break through the leaves and warm her skin.

“It’s a look that suits you, Your Highness,” Roy commented.

“I’m sorry?” She blinked at him, unsure what he was referring to.

“The sun.”

Roy rode off ahead without another word, nudging his mare to move slightly faster and left Riza to stare after him, puzzled at his meaning.

It didn’t take too long to reach the waterfall. It was just shy of an hour on horseback. The trees opened up as they started to climb through the forest. Ferns and bracken gave way to moss covered stone and free-standing boulders as the horses expertly picked their way through it all. However, they did need to leave the horses part of the way down the path. The ground would become too uneven and littered with too many large, jutting stones for them to navigate it safely. Her stallion wasn’t happy about it though and butted Riza’s back gently with his head in protest after she turned to leave them behind. After a roll of her eyes and a stern look the horse was soothed and was promised they’d be back soon.

Riza had made this journey many times in her life. Only a handful of times with Roy though. Her royal duties didn’t permit too much free time, however her father always managed to give her some time away so she could relax and unwind. Most of the time Roy was with her during it, however Riza made sure to give him the time off he deserved also. Lately though he’d been sticking around more often when she’d dismissed him. It wasn’t bothersome, she always appreciated his company, but it was interesting. She wondered why that was.

He did care for her, as she cared for him. They spent so much time together with him by her side, so they were comfortable with one another and used to the proximity. Used to the companionship and comradery as they navigated court politics and royal duties.

(One thing he did appear to be particularly smug about was watching Riza deal with petitioners in her father’s stead when he requested it of her. Roy would stand by her side, silent and relaxed, while she had to listen intently to the Lords and Ladies drone on about their woes and their perceived slights, which could easily have been resolved between themselves, but they didn’t want the responsibility or the blame if things went wrong. It was not something he missed, apparently, and Riza couldn’t fault him for that, she supposed. Not while she herself was nearly – and rather expertly – fighting off sleep and stifling yawns while sitting on her throne.)

Roy was good to be around. Riza had never had such a relationship with someone before outside of her family or her ladies. She had a lot of time for Roy and meant what she said about being a confidant to him. She wished he’d open up to her, to someone, but he didn’t seem to ever do so. The thought of his unusual behaviour that moment came unbidden into Riza’s mind and tightened her stomach in concern. She worried about him and hated to think of him suffering alone.

The waterfall came into view and Riza’s eyes lit up at the sight. All thoughts were banished as she marvelled. Water thundered over the rocky outcrop high above them, tumbling down the cliff face and into the basin below. The spray created a rainbow in the warm sun which wafted towards them. When it hit Riza’s face she closed her eyes and relished in the cool feeling of the mist upon her face.  The water in the basin pool below the falls was crystal clear, showing the long grasses beneath being tugged by the current of the mountain stream and the well-polished rocks buried beneath the surface. It poured in between boulders jutting out from the ground and made its way further downstream, before disappearing down the slope and into the trees.

“Wow,” Roy murmured quietly, mostly to himself.

When Riza turned to face him, Roy was looking at her with a strange look on his face. It was like he’d seen something wonderful and was dumbstruck by it.

He’d looked like that before, Riza quickly realised, but she hadn’t seen the expression in a while. But she had to agree with him, the waterfall was always a stunning sight. It never failed to take her breath away.

He must have turned to look at her at the same time, because as soon as their eyes met, Roy turned away and looked back up at the falls. Riza noticed his Adam’s apple bobbing as he swallowed, and his cheeks had started to take on a hint of red as the sun beat down on them relentlessly, heating his skin.

“Is this temperature more to your liking, My Prince?” She shot him a knowing grin.

Again, he swallowed but he did laugh. His easy smile returned to his face and Riza was pleased to see it. “Much better. Although, I could do without the cool spray.”

“Never happy, are you?” She huffed and glanced back up at the waterfall, only joking with him.

“Oh no. Never.”

Her head turned sharply, but she relaxed when she saw his amusement.

Riza narrowed her eyes at his back as he turned away from the spectacular view. She was trying to figure him out. The look he’d worn when she turned to face him would not leave her alone. For some reason it was like a puzzle she couldn’t figure out no matter how hard she tried.

Roy stepped down from their viewing platform and started to remove the chest piece of his armour, which revealed the black undershirt he wore beneath. It was tight fitting, straining over his muscles as he moved. His sword rested to his left against the stone, which he nudged accidentally as he kicked off his boots. It scraped against the stone and Roy quickly grabbed it before it could fall. Then, his leg armour was removed, leaving him in a pair of black leather trousers. Finally satisfied, he lay back on the stone and closed his eyes.

“Is it nap time, Prince Mustang?”

He nodded and didn’t open his eyes. “I like to bask in the sun as much as I can when the opportunity presents itself, Princess.” He shifted on his back to become more comfortable. A soft sigh left his lips. “Given your land’s temperature, I like to enjoy it as much as I can.”

She rolled her eyes. “You make it sound like you’re a lizard person, My Prince.”

Roy chuckled. “They are native to the Fire Kingdom as well, Your Highness, but I can assure you, I am not one of them.”

Riza paused. “There are lizard people in the Fire Kingdom?” She was astonished. She’d never heard of such a thing before –

One of Roy’s eyes cracked open. The dark orb was lit up with mischief. He was teasing her again.

Riza huffed and sat down, facing away from him while he laughed at her reaction.

“That’s not funny.”

“It is a little bit funny,” he snickered.

Riza scoffed but said nothing more. Instead, she sat back and became content in watching the water roar down the cliffside.

Silence fell over them as time dragged on. It wasn’t uncomfortable at all. It was companionable and peaceful. Roy knew how Riza liked to come here and listen to the waterfall. She’d confided in him about it. It was a comfort, and this was a place she sought out when she needed that. Her mother had first brought her here so when she found herself missing her, as she did last night, it was time to make a pilgrimage to their special place. It was nice to come here with Roy too though. He knew it was important to her so left her to her own devices. Riza was always thankful for his understanding and his presence.

There was one time she’d come here alone, about two months after Roy arrived. It was the middle of the night and she’d been feeling awful. Her mother’s death was hitting the hardest that night, her grief terrible and all encompassing, so she’d snuck away through night to ride up to the waterfall. In her distress she hadn’t considered telling anyone where she was going and Riza was desperate for anything that brought her closer to her mother in her grief, so her mind thought the expedition was a wonderful idea. The next thing Riza knew, she was in the forest in the middle of the night.

The poor prince almost had a heart attack looking for her. Not being adept at navigating through her kingdom, it had taken Roy a long time to reach the spot, and he’d bent over at the waist, chest heaving as if he’d run a marathon. He’d been so worried for her wellbeing, nearly frantic, but Riza knew nothing out here would hurt her. Still, that was when she first noted his dedication to the job. Dismayed at her actions, she soothed his panicked and frenzied mind as best she could. Riza promised she wouldn’t take off on her own like that again without telling him.

She didn’t need Roy flying into a panic over her.

“Can I ask you something, My Prince?” She’d spoken quietly, afraid he was sleeping, but Riza needn’t have worried. Roy’s eyes popped up and he tipped his head back, looking at her through the strands of his fringe.

“Of course you can, Princess.”

“What are your thoughts on the northern invasion?”

Roy sat up and spun to face her. “In what way, Your Highness?”

“The one that’s supposedly coming.” Riza tucked her knees up to her chest and rested her chin atop them. One of her arms wrapped around to hug them while the one closest to Roy played with a loose stone on the rocks beneath them.

“I think one is coming,” he stated hesitantly.

“I do too.”

“Your Highness, if one does come, I would lay down my life for you.”

Riza shook her head. “That’s what I am afraid of.”

“Afraid of, Your Highness?”

“You shouldn’t have to.”

Roy looked confused. “But… Your Highness, it is my duty to –”

“It was a duty that was thrust upon you,” Riza countered. “It was not one you chose for yourself and it is not fair to ask that of you.”

“Your Highness, I am happy to.”

“You’re only saying that because you feel it is your duty.”

Roy pursed his lips and looked away. His brows drew together, hiding his dark eyes underneath them.

“Roy…”

His head snapped up at the use of his first name. It felt foreign on her tongue, it was spoken with trepidation, but Riza found she liked the sound of it. It rolled off it easily. She’d never addressed him with it to his face before either.

It sent a thrill through her stomach.

“I… I want to ask you something and I would like you to tell me the truth, however I understand if I’m prying too much.”

His mouth opened but he didn’t speak. He nodded slowly.

“I know I have asked in the past, but…” Her shoulders fell. “If it is prying too much, please let me know, but do you miss your home? Do you truly wish to return?”

Her eyes were earnest as she looked up at him. She just wanted to understand him more. She couldn’t get the look she’d seen on his face out of her head and the memory of his palpable worry when he’d come searching for her in the dead of night.

Riza watched Roy tense and nodded in acceptance. His silence was her answer.

“I apologise –”

“No.”

She glanced over at him. “No?”

He struggled for a second, trying to collect his thoughts. “No. Do not apologise.”

So, that wasn’t the answer to her question. It still remained a mystery.

“I owe your family a great deal after they took me in, no questions asked, Princess.”

“You owe us nothing, My Prince.”

“No, I really do,” he retorted. Roy took a deep breath and let it out in a rush. “I also feel I owe you an answer to your questions, Your Highness.”

“Please, can we drop all titles for now?”

He looked stunned.

“I’m your friend, Roy, and I would like to talk to you like one for now, if that’s all right? Not like a Princess to a Prince or a Princess to her guard.” Those were the roles he enforced and insisted upon but first and foremost, Riza considered him a friend.

“If that is what you wish… Riza.”

Her gaze was caught in his when he spoke her name. Just like she’d enjoyed speaking his to his face, Riza enjoyed hearing her name on his lips. There was hesitation before Roy voiced it, but it was spoken like a caress. He almost breathed her name, sounding near revenant, and Riza thought it was a wonderful sound.

“First and foremost, you owe us nothing, Roy,” Riza reassured him. “I am merely curious. I call you a friend and yet know next to nothing about you.” When his face fell, Riza hastily corrected herself. “It is through no fault of your own. I can understand the unease of sharing such things, especially given the circumstances of your arrival here. It wasn’t what you chose and I respect the desire to keep things close to your heart completely.”

The silence between them was a beat too long before Roy finally spoke. His voice was quiet as he asked his question, as he dropped his last remaining barrier, the volume of it barely above a whisper.

“What would you like to know, Riza?”

Chapter Text

He’d gotten carried away today.

Roy hadn’t intended to, but the desire to say something about how the princess’ complexion shined in the sunlight overcame him. She shined. She was illuminated by such a beautiful inner light it stunned him. He’d been overwhelmed as they’d moved through the trees, like the air had been knocked from his lungs as he took in the vision of her. It happened every time, and today, he slipped up.

Riding ahead to escape and scold himself was difficult. Roy wanted to remain by her side and marvel some more, to bask in her presence, but it would make her uncomfortable if she noticed. He was sure of it. It made him uncomfortable knowing he could so easily let himself get distracted.

He was here on his father’s orders. He could very easily be removed if King Hawkeye tired of him or his father had a change of heart. Even if he overstepped – such as acting like a youth with their first crush while in the presence of the Princess. Roy didn’t think the former would happen after their conversation that morning, but it would always be a concern in the back of his own mind.

Another turn his life could take was if the invasion came. His father would probably call Roy back after fighting to protect the Forest Kingdom. If he wasn’t killed. He’d be ripped from a place that he hadn’t lived in long, but which felt more like a home than his homeland.

Roy moaned about the change in temperature, but it wasn’t unbearable. In fact, there were often times he enjoyed the cool mists which settled over the tree canopies and coiled their way along the branches in the morning. He liked to watch the dew travel down the windowpanes in his private quarters in the spring and autumn. The light winter frost which blanketed the underbrush made the most pleasant and satisfying of sounds beneath his boots. Roy grinned like a child – much to Riza’s amusement – when steam expelled from his breath. Every moment was a novelty that had yet to wear off. When he came from a land of rock and fire, it was hard not to find amazement in such things.

Then, he’d looked upon Riza’s face as she took in the sight of the waterfall, and all was lost once more. He’d slipped up. Again. He’d meant to only think his word of wonder, not say it out loud. And she’d caught him. Even worse. Damning himself to hell, Roy turned away from her and removed his armour as a way to keep his hands busy. That way, Riza wouldn’t see how much they were shaking.

Caught under her spell like he always was, he’d opened himself up to her line of questioning. He was powerless. Roy discovered he wanted her to get to know him. His past pain had kept him silent all these months, but he’d suffered for it. Then she announced she wanted to discuss things as friends, and he lost his willpower to hold back any longer.

“What would you like to know, Riza?”

Her name felt heavenly to speak. He’d wanted to, but his duty prevented him from doing so. It would be of great disrespect to her and her family, and Roy wouldn’t take his chances of being kicked out when he enjoyed living there so much.

“Do you…” Her head cocked to the side as she struggled to think of the correct word to use. “Resent us at all for keeping you here?”

Roy was already shaking his head before she finished her question. “Of course not.”

“How do you truly feel about the move?”

Her questions were relentless, but now the floodgates had opened Roy found it hard to close them. Not that he really wanted to though. In front of Riza, he wanted to pour his heart and soul out to her. Whatever was her wish, he would command.

“I was bitter at first.” Roy swallowed, casting his eyes down to the rock. He flicked the stone she’d been playing with earlier closer to him, tossing it back and forth between his fingers. “After the northern invasion and after sustaining my injuries, I –”

“You fought in the invasion?” Her question was incredulous.

How did she not know that?

“I did. I was told I fought hard and well but was too injured to continue. I was sent back home with a critical wound and went through a gruelling recovery.”

Riza’s mouth was parted in shock and she started to look visibly upset. Her knees fell open as she moved to sitting cross-legged instead and leaned forward. Her eyes flooded with compassion and sympathy, and Roy looked away. He returned his gaze to the stone under his fingers.

“Once my wounds healed, I was sent here.”

His fingertips gripped the hard stone, the ends becoming white with the pressure as the rock dug into his skin.

He was remembering his father’s dismissal. How he’d been cast aside, no longer wanted. Sent away and traded to a far-off land – to strangers – to benefit himself and their kingdom. Of course, Roy understood his duty as Crown Prince. Of course he did. But the look in his father’s eye when he’d finally glanced up from his paperwork to settle his gaze on his last remaining child… It was as if their goodbye irritated him. It was a burden. A hinderance to whatever he was currently working on.

Bothersome.

Roy didn’t know if he’d ever see his father again and while the clear loss of his love and care was not exactly a surprise it still hurt, as it would any child. Especially after all their family had gone through and everything Roy had gone through – and had still been going through at the time of their farewell.

 Suddenly, a warm, soft hand covered his.

“I’m so sorry,” Riza whispered. “Please, if you wish, continue, however don’t feel you have to for my benefit.”

Riza didn’t remove her hand. One of her thumbs even stroked over the back of his hand in an attempt to comfort. Roy barely managed to hide his shudder as a result of the tender action and tried to maintain a steady breath. Heat flushed from his stomach to his chest, rising up his neck.

He prayed it didn’t show on his cheeks.

He really was acting like a youth with their first crush.

Roy cleared his throat before speaking.

“No, it’s okay, Your –” Roy cut himself off, remembering her request to drop their titles.

The warmth of her hand and the comfort of her touch was distracting him.

“I’m sorry, Roy. I wasn’t aware you fought in the invasion.” Riza’s breath hitched. “I won’t pry, of course. It was a terrible time for us all, it seems.”

Her hand retracted, coming to rest with the other in her lap. With her head bowed, Riza took in a shaky breath.

“I’m sorry, Riza.”

Roy took in her posture and the sadness on her face. It wasn’t a sight he enjoyed, and he’d try his best to cheer her up. That’s why he joked and teased her so often. It was all a ploy to see her smile and hear her laugh.

A sound from the cliffside above set Roy on alert. He froze, eyes unseeing, but looking at Riza’s face. When he returned to his other senses, he was momentarily startled by the concern on her face.

Roy spun in place and grabbed his sword. His eyes scanned the rocks at the top of the waterwall.

“What is it?”

Riza was next to him, standing close, also on her feet, with a knife drawn. Roy had no idea where she’d kept that hidden. He recognised the carving on the blade but didn’t have time to determine where he’d seen it before.

There was another crack to the left of the waterfall where the grey stone gave way to the pine trees. Roy’s eyes shifted towards it while Riza tensed and adjusted her stance. Her forearm brushed up against his with their closeness.

Stones rained down the cliff face. Gravel bounced off the granite and hit the ground with barely a sound.

Someone had been watching them. They’d been up there right now.

“Get back to the horses, Riza,” Roy murmured, shifting his grip on the hilt of his sword.

“Roy –”

A familiar scent filled Roy’s nostrils. It was faint, coming from a distance and carried on the breeze, but it was all too familiar. It snaked down his windpipe, choking Roy with the memories associated with it. It formed a stench he’d be able to identify from anywhere, which reminded him of blood, death, and suffering.

In his mind’s eye Roy was back in the northern forest, fighting with his brethren and stepping over dead bodies of humans and orcs. The memories assaulted him, unrelenting and unwelcome.

He dropped to one knee as the injury on his side flared up and started to ache with phantom pain.

“Roy!”

“Horses,” he barked through gritted teeth as he clumsily lunged for his discarded armour. “Now!”

Riza didn’t argue with him. She took off across the rocks, fleet and surefooted. Roy hurriedly pulled on his armour, securing everything in place and cursing himself for his lackadaisical attitude.

He should never have removed it.

The Princess was out of sight when Roy was ready to mobilise. He pushed his legs to move as fast as they could as he ran. Roy wouldn’t be unable to rest until they’d put as much distance between themselves and the orcs as possible.

Preferably, when they were back at the castle.

The scent disappeared but Roy couldn’t be sure how far it had been carried on the gentle breeze, so kept pushing forward. His apprehension escalated when a tree branch cracked behind him. One foot planted and he spun, skidding to a stop. His sword was hefted above his head and Roy threw it with all his might towards the approaching target. It hit a tree with an almighty crack, accompanied by a human cry of surprise and fear. It was a rather undignified yelp.

“Wait –” Riza halted immediately in front of him. Roy almost ran into her.

“Your Highness, we have to go –”

“I recognise that voice,” Riza muttered to herself then spun on her heel, running back the way they’d come.

“Princess!” Roy tried to grasp her wrist, but she was too quick as she dashed through the trees.

Roy had no option other than to follow after her, heart rising into his throat.

“Lord Archer?” Riza’s exclamation wasn’t accusatory, it was of disbelief.

Roy arrived in time to watch Riza hurry toward the Lord of her father’s court. She reached up to remove Roy’s sword from the tree trunk which subsequently freed him. It had pinned the Lord’s cape perfectly and left him frantically trying to escape. Like a rat caught in a trap.

Roy never did like the Lord, so wasn’t too ashamed of his actions. He was more impressed by the accuracy of his blind throw.

“Oh my. Lord Archer, I am sorry!”

Roy wasn’t.

“Wh – What –” The man was released, his cape no longer choking him, and a hand flew to his neck to rub it. “Was that you who threw the sword?” His face twisted with rage as he accused Roy.

“Why were you following us?” Roy’s eyes were ablaze with the anger he felt in his chest. He stalked forward to come face to face with Archer.

“Prince Mustang –” Riza tried to interrupt. She placed a placating hand on his forearm but Roy never even felt it.

“Why do you carry that scent,” Roy growled. Given his anger, he wasn’t quite sure if he could still smell the orc stench or if it was still lingering in his mind due to his memories and fear.

“What scent?” Archer barked his reply, squaring up to Roy, but Roy was more than ready to return his advances.

“You know which one.”

“Prince Mustang, I smell nothing,” Riza interjected quietly.

“Are you insinuating I smell?” Lord Archer was offended but Roy couldn’t bring himself to care.

“Yes,” he snapped.

“Prince Mustang.” Riza demanded his attention with her tone. It was sharp and pierced through the fog of anger and lingering fear within his mind. “Go back to the horses.”

Roy’s eyes flashed as his head whipped around to face the Princess. She was sending him away? Riza’s expression was one of displeasure and was unrelenting in her request, however there was a hint of concern in her eyes. Still, she met his gaze head on and did not back down.

“Go and ready the horses,” she repeated, her voice softer now she had his attention. However, the displeasure was still there.

Lord Archer was a prominent member of her father’s court and obviously she didn’t want him to be slighted.

Roy did not like Archer at all. He looked like a man with a hidden agenda. If he betrayed the King, Roy wouldn’t be surprised in the slightest. And then there was the mystery with the orc’s scent. He was breathing heavily in his anger, but Roy had to admit he did no longer smell it. Had that been a part of his imagination and his visceral memories? But why? And how could a memory bring him so easily to his knees?

Roy’s jaw locked as he reached for the hilt of his sword from Riza. “As you wish, Your Highness.”

She offered his weapon to him wordlessly and Roy found himself wanting to hit Lord Archer over the head with it to rid the man of his smug smile behind Riza’s back.

He wasn’t happy about being sent away. In fact, Roy was furious. But it was the Princess’ wish. His thoughts were bitter as he walked away, deeper into the forest. Every step away was fighting against his instincts and duty, but that was what he deserved after his brash actions. Roy scolded himself, reminding his angry mind he could be removed from here at a moment’s notice should the King desire it. If a certain Lord who insisted he’d been “attacked” by Roy then insulted kicked up enough of a fuss about it, it could spell the end of Roy’s time within the Forest Kingdom.

Roy was supposed to be a guard against suspicious types like Archer –

It was then an idea popped into Roy’s head. He paused in his walking and slipped behind a tree trunk to sneak quietly back through the trees towards the Princess.

“…that, Lord Archer. I thought we were being pursued.”

“And that oaf decides to hurl his sword through the air? He could have taken off my head! I could have died!”

“We didn’t know it was you, Lord Archer,” she reminded him gently.

“I must speak with the King about this! It was an outrage how he spoke to me today!”

Roy watched as Riza looked heavenward while Archer fumed and wasn’t paying attention. Her mouth moved as her eyes rolled but as it wasn’t intended of the Lord to hear it Roy had no chance of making it out. Probably a prayer for strength. Roy knew that’s what he’d be asking for after spending more than five minutes in the Lord’s insufferable presence.

 When Riza’s gaze lowered she looked straight ahead and met Roy’s eyes almost immediately. He didn’t move from his spot and never looked away. Her eyes tightened when she noticed him, narrowing them slightly, but said nothing and continued to placate the agitated Lord to save Roy’s hide.

He’d probably caused more trouble than good but was only protecting his charge and that wasn’t something he’d apologise for.

Following them through the tress silently, Roy ensured he reached the horses before them. There was a third horse now, Archer’s horse. Roy scrutinised the chestnut brown mare closely. She lifted her head and stared right back at him, chewing quietly on grass, before letting out a quiet snort and lowering her head back down to graze. Roy wondered if the horse carried the orc scent with it. After one quick circle of the horse and a long inhale Roy found no trace.

Very strange.

The occurrence as a whole was strange. And very worrying.

Roy had been checking the saddles for their security when a red-faced Lord arrived and glared at him. His mind had run through the possibilities of where the orc’s smell had come from, and none were good. On top of that, Roy needed to decide what to do with the information.

“What were you doing to my horse,” Archer snapped at him, his frown deepening as he quickened his pace to snatch the reins out of Roy’s hands.

“Just calming the mare,” Roy replied calmly. “Something seems to have made her skittish.” It was probably the owner. Animals are good judge of character and Archer was not a good one in Roy’s book.

“I will also be doing a check of the saddle.”

“Do you trust me so little, My Lord?”

Archer said nothing but the answer was clear as day.

Rolling his eyes, Roy waved off his suspicions and walked over to his own horse. He didn’t meet the Princess’ eyes. She’d been silent throughout the exchange and probably wasn’t impressed he’d tailed them after being dismissed. However, there was no chance Roy was going to leave her unwatched after what had occurred at the waterfall. He impatiently wished Archer would mount his damn horse so they could get out of here and get back to the safety of the castle. Roy was on edge and his instincts had always been very good.

Being promptly ignored by the Lord on the ride back, Roy didn’t mind too much. Archer had moved up to talk to the Princess, trying to muscle Roy out of the way. Dropping back gave him a much better vantage point for keeping an eye on Archer, so he did so without complaint. The Princess turned and tried to catch his eye as Roy moved, but he didn’t acknowledge it. Nothing said in front of Archer was safe as far as Roy was concerned, so he kept his mouth shut for now.

Chapter Text

Riza could hear Roy walking two steps behind as she walked to her rooms, but he made no move to join her at her side. They continued on in silence and Riza turned her thoughts inward to what had transpired that morning.

The situation with Archer had been diffused for the time being and for that, she was grateful. The man was a thorn in her side and always had been, but they’d do well not to irritate him. She didn’t want him running off to her father like a child and tattling. Not that Riza thought her father would scold Roy for something as small as a misunderstanding, he wasn’t the type to do so, however he was stressed out enough as it was and did not need Archer’s whining to be added on top of that already mounting pile. So, Riza had taken it upon herself to deal with him.

I will speak with Prince Mustang, Lord Archer, I promise you,” Riza had assured once their company was back in the castle courtyard.

Good,” he snapped a lot harder than Riza would have liked. It took years of her royal training to muster the strength to let it go and not frown at the Lord. “Hopefully you can teach him some restraint so he no longer acts like a savage.”

Archer spun on his heel and Riza didn’t hold back her ire. She glowered at his retreating back, so tempted to open her mouth and argue with him, but it would have been a waste of breath. As she walked to her rooms Riza was furious at how he’d treated Roy. She muttered under her breath unintelligibly every now and then, hearing a quiet cough from Roy as he probably overheard her choice of words.

“Muttering under your breath isn’t a very appropriate trait to find in a Princess, Your Highness.” He looked far too amused to be serious and if Riza had to wager a guess, Roy’s quiet coughs from their time walking were probably him smothering a laugh.

Riza whirled around, dismissing Archer and everything else to focus on him. He’d closed the door to her personal quarters behind him but still remained in the entryway. He had not ventured further inside.

“What happened out there today, Prince Mustang?”

She couldn’t get the image of him falling to his knees out of her mind. Whatever had caused such a reaction must have been bad. Very bad.

“It appears Archer may have gotten in the way of my sword –”

Riza shook her head. “Not with Archer,” she interrupted. “Before that, at the waterfall. What did you see?”

Roy’s lips were pressed into a thin line and didn’t answer.

“If there’s a threat to my kingdom, then I deserve to know,” Riza reminded him.

Indecision ruled his mind for a few moments. Riza watched as he struggled with something before his shoulders slumped and his head tipped forward slightly in silent defeat. A resigned sigh left Roy and his posture relaxed.

“Very well. I’ll tell you.”

Riza eyed him suspiciously for a second as he started to shed his armour.

“My Prince?”

“At the waterfall I caught a scent. I do not know if it was carried on the wind, or the distance it had travelled, but regardless, it was very worrying.” Roy started to spin his tale as he removed his breastplate. Gently, he placed it on the ground by the door to rest it against the wall.

“What scent?”

His lips pressed together again. “Orc.”

What?”

“I saw nothing on the cliff above us,” Roy continued as he removed the plates from his forearms to expose his black undershirt. “But the rocks shifted. Gravel fell down the cliff face so something had definitely been up there. And then the smell…” Roy’s fingers paused. He shuddered.

“It…” Riza paled. “There was an orc watching us?”

Dread and fear churned within her stomach and threatened to crawl up her throat. It threatened to restrict her airway and Riza took a deep breath to force herself to relax and listen to Roy.

“I can’t know for sure, but I know what I smelled.” Roy swallowed thickly as his lips turned down briefly in distaste.

“Oh…” Riza’s knees shook.

The threat of another invasion had been weighing heavily on her mind recently but this… This was too soon. She was unprepared for it. And it had been there today? Riza locked her knees and tensed her muscles to keep herself upright as the pain caused from the last invasion invaded her mind.

“I told you I fought in the war, Princess.”

Roy’s hand grabbed the hem of his shirt and Riza could see it shaking. He hesitated for a single moment before one side was slowly lifted to expose his toned physique. Riza had never seen him without a shirt on before, but her eyes weren’t drawn to his well-defined muscles. No, they were drawn to a rather large patch of his abdomen which was discoloured. The skin was pink with small threads of white surrounding the edges, which splintered off and ventured further away from the old wound before they faded, like small cracks in glass. The skin was twisted in parts, gnarled almost, and covered a large patch of his torso.

It looked like it had been burned.

Riza’s eyes were transfixed by it in her shock. It looked… so big. And so painful. Her heart clutched within her chest and Riza felt the air escape from her lungs in a rush.

“This,” he gestured to his scarred body, “is why it makes me very worried.”

Riza turned her gaze up to his but Roy was looking away. His eyes were cast off to the side to avoid her.

The pain he must have gone through sustaining such an injury…

“What happened?” Her whispered question was quiet as she silently willed him to look at her. Her steps almost faltered as she approached and her own hands were shaking just as Roy’s had been. She was only two steps away from Roy when she stopped, not once glancing away from his face.

“I was stabbed by an orc sword,” Roy relayed in a measured tone. A detached one. “Whatever was on it – some kind of acid, the healer thought – burned at my skin.”

Riza heard him swallow at the same time she shuddered at the thought.

“It ate away at my skin. My –” Whatever he was going to say next caught in his throat, but Roy pushed through it. “My brother cauterised it hurriedly, I think. I wasn’t fully conscious when it happened. In the middle of the battlefield there was no other choice in order to stop the bleeding. Then another orc arrived to try and finish the job.” Roy’s eyes started to shine in the light of Riza’s rooms. “My brother bore the brunt of it instead for me. He saved my life,” he choked out in a whisper.

Emotion washed over Riza and rocked her back on her heels.

She’d had no idea.

He’d been subjected to all of this while in her kingdom. While fighting to protect it along with his brother and her people. And then he’d been sent back here to live. Even worse, she’d been the one to press him about his homeland and his family during his time here. Riza swallowed thickly as shame and regret over her actions made themselves known.

“I’m so sorry, Roy.” She couldn’t lift her voice above the level of a whisper. It would not cooperate and allow her to do so. The fluctuating emotions were too lodged in her throat.

“He sacrificed himself so I could live on,” Roy added.

The shirt fell out of his fingers and hung over his body, covering the old scars.

Riza was reeling. Of all the things she’d expected him to come out with… this was not it. It explained his dedication to his job. He’d already lost someone. And his body… That injury couldn’t have been easy to recover from. Roy had already revealed his recovery had been hell. Seeing the cause of that almost made Riza ill.

He must have been in so much pain.

“Does it hurt?” She just wanted to know he was all right.

Roy shook his head. A tiny action. He still hadn’t lifted his gaze to look at her. “Only in the cold. And today when…”

She stepped forward, covering the tiny distance, and Riza’s head dipped to try and catch his eye. “When what?”

A shuddering breath left his lungs and Roy’s eyes finally moved to meet her own. They were shining with unspoken pain and grief. It took Riza’s breath away.

“When I caught the scent… Well. Let’s just say it took me back to that time,” he tried to crack a smile but failed.

Roy was struggling to keep a lid on his emotions, only just managing it.

Riza stepped forward and wrapped her arms around him slowly. Her chin moved over his shoulder, staring at the door, eyes unseeing, as she became more attuned to his body language instead. He stiffened upon initial contact. It took him a few moments before he slowly started to relax. His shoulders dropped an inch but the tension in him remained.

“I’m so sorry,” Riza offered. Her fingers increased their pressure on his back and her eyes closed. Riza felt Roy’s arms twitch in response however they didn’t lift from his sides. Riza didn’t mind. She only wanted to provide him with comfort after he’d shared his story with her. While appreciating him being so open with her it was heart-breaking to hear. “I had no idea you’d gone through that.”

“Thank you, Your Highness.” He sounded grateful, but stiff, and Riza didn’t want to hear that title right now. She was there as his friend, just as she had been at the waterfall.

Riza’s head tipped down so her mouth rested upon his shoulder.

“I apologise about the loss of your brother, also,” she murmured into it. It was difficult for her to swallow past the lump in her throat and tears threatened to flood her eyes. “I’m so sorry.”

She clung to him harder, wanting to communicate her sorrow for his loss. Riza knew that feeling all too well and it hurt her to know he’d experienced the same, however it had been before his very eyes in the middle of the battlefield.

Hands quickly rose to Riza’s back and Roy held onto her tightly. He buried his face into her shoulder and let out a shaky breath, finally letting go. She couldn’t be sure if he was finally letting his sorrow loose and did not feel any wetness saturating her clothing just yet, but Riza would pay it no mind if it did occur. She’d let him have his moment and be there for him as best she could. Riza squeezed her eyes closed as she comforted her friend, while the tips of Roy’s fingers dug into her spine desperately, clutching at her and holding her close.

The pair clung to each other silently.

Riza was content just to hold him and the way Roy was holding her made relax completely. The smell of him filled her nostrils, surrounding her completely. It was a mixture of soap and cedar, something familiar, and something which reminded Riza wholly of him. It was always a comfort, for she knew Roy was close by. Not just for the physical protection he was tasked with, but for emotional support also. For friendship.

Riza’s face relaxed completely as they both stood there, with her eyes closed, breathing the smell of him in. She became very aware of where her lips were placed, so near the bare skin of his neck, but she was too comfortable to move. Riza reasoned she did not wish to disturb him, so kept still and didn’t move away.

“I should go,” Roy whispered to the room, but made no move to pull away.

Regrettably, she nodded and moved away. Before Riza could remove herself completely from his embrace though, Roy stopped her. Confused, she turned her head to face him, but found their faces were abruptly so close to one another. A tiny movement forward from either and their noses would bump together.

After her heart had leapt into her throat Riza tried to calm the pounding organ and stop her stomach from somersaulting violently as warmth spread throughout her entire body. The top of her head tingled with awareness of how close they were while her toes curled within her boots.

The look Riza had spied on Roy’s face at the waterfall was gracing his features once more. It was like he was staring at the most wonderful and welcome thing in the world.

Riza didn’t understand.

Roy cleared his throat and blinked as if he’d broken out of a trance. He shifted slightly to put more distance between them and his hands trailed – oh so pleasantly – down her back slowly to come to rest upon Riza’s hips. His grip wasn’t strong, it wasn’t restrictive, but it was warm and welcome. It was making it difficult for Riza to concentrate on what they were supposed to be doing.

A tiny sliver of hope and wonder curled its way around Riza’s heart as she watched a light pink blush blossom over his nose and cheeks. His warm hands dropped to his sides and Riza found herself missing them instantly. It was jarring to realise and admit to herself that she wanted them back on her body.

“I appreciate you listening,” Roy murmured. He’d put a respectful distance between them and Riza was too dazed, too confused, to move herself. She was rendered mute in place, thinking how she didn’t want that distance between them. Not again. Not when she realised what she’d been missing.

The feeling had always been there, niggling at the back of her mind, but Riza had not entertained it. Her family was essentially holding Roy hostage from his home. How could he feel anything other than resentment towards them for that?

“It’s no problem, you know that.” Riza had finally managed to recover enough to reply.

“Is there anything else you need before I retire for the moment, Your Highness?”

Back to their titles. She missed their closeness.

Riza shook her head. “No.”

“You’re not going to scold me for throwing a sword at Lord Archer?” That easy smile she knew so well was back on Roy’s face, quirking up the corner of his lips and brightening handsome features which had been so flushed with sorrow and pain only moments ago. It lightened Riza’s heart to see it so but she also regretted bearing witness to the mask he so easily adorned.

Riza shrugged. “I didn’t see you do it.”

Roy chuckled and the sound warmed her pained heart. “I’m sure he’ll love that.”

“He has no need nor right to know.”

Shooting her an amused, yet puzzled look, Roy shrugged and collected his armour. Once they were in his arms, he paused, turning to face her. “Thank you, Riza.” It was completely sincere, matching his expression. “For everything.”

“Anytime, Roy,” Riza smiled. “I told you that,” she added softly.

“You did,” he agreed, bobbing his head once. “I will be forever grateful for you, Riza.”

Sleep did not come to Riza easily that night. Her mind was tormented by images of Roy falling to his knees and gasping in pain. Of him injured and bloody on a battlefield with an orc towering over his broken body. Of the grief and pain she’d seen on his face as he finally told Riza his tale. She’d had to force those images from her mind and had tried desperately focus on something else, otherwise she’d be overwhelmed. Already a few tears had escaped because of it as a deep sadness for her friend washed over her.

She turned her thoughts to more pleasant things in an effort to try and gain some semblance of peace and rest. To end her mind’s torment. As she stared at the ceiling above her, watching the leaves sway in the midnight wind through the glass, attempting to hide away the twinkling stars beyond, Riza’s focus turned to how Roy’s eyes would sparkle with humour and joy as he teased her. How laughing would make the corners of his eyes crinkle endearingly. How his smile, when focussed directly upon her, would make her heart flutter within her chest and cause Riza’s stomach to flip. How warm and secure his hands had felt upon her hips that evening. How close they’d ended up to one another while pressed together.

The last two caused a furious blush to erupt over her skin.

Riza groaned and lifted her hands to cover her face, horrified at herself. This had happened once before, but she’d managed to repress it. Breakfast had been an embarrassing affair on her part the morning after, leaving the poor prince puzzled at her avoidant behaviour. Still, he brushed it off with ease and gave her the space she needed, which had meant a lot. He didn’t press or tease at all at that time. He was nothing but respectful. After seeing Roy’s surprising blush and recognising a hint of what had happened between them in their quiet moment that evening, Riza pondered if Roy had guessed back then what she’d been experiencing…

She rolled over in bed with a huff. Riza closed her eyes firmly, told herself to stop worrying herself in circles, and go to sleep.

Eventually, it claimed her. And in her dreams she saw Roy welcoming her into his arms with an adoring smile. In her dream, Riza went to him without question and felt happiness bubble in her chest.

A deep longing permeated that moment, even in sleep.

Chapter 6

Notes:

another chapter so soon?? in this economy??

i was feeling the vibes in this chilis tonight and the inspo has been flowing~ so here u go :)

time to get on with some PLOT. :)

Chapter Text

Roy’s eyes flew open as his bed rocked violently. It rudely woke him from his fitful sleep and nearly sent him crashing painfully onto the floor. His head whipped around the room to see if he could identify the reason for such a commotion, but there was nothing in his immediate vicinity. No person or – heaven forbid – beast was present nearby to physically attack him.

Which meant whatever had disrupted his sleep so violently must be something terrible. Something on a much grander scale.

It took Roy a second, but sound and smell finally started to register inside his brain. There were screams coming from beyond the window by his bed and yells came from the hallway outside his door. Footsteps thundered down carpeted hallways and there was someone barking orders.

Foreboding threatened to freeze and lock his limbs in place but Roy managed to push himself to clamber out his bed and to his feet. He hastily threw on his clothing and boots. He donned his armour in record time and grasped his sword tightly within his palm. He caught a glance of himself in the mirror of his bathroom as he sprinted by. His hair was dishevelled and sticking up on end thanks to his tossing and turning for hours but there was no time to stop and fix it. Something was wrong outside. Very wrong. And if this was what Roy thought it was, if it was the reason dread was a heavy weight inside his stomach, then he needed to leave and find the princess as fast as he could.

A thought arrested his movements for a second by the closed doorway, calling back to a memory from a few hours ago, after dinner, when King Hawkeye had summoned Roy to his study late in the evening.

I am entrusting this to you, Prince Mustang. It is a letter for my daughter.

You wish me to deliver it,” he asked the king, surprised at his choice as he took the sealed envelope from the man.

Berthold nodded. “Can I count on you to be by her side if the fighting reaches our borders?

Of course, Your Highness,” Roy replied instantly. He didn’t know why the king had bothered to ask, seeing as they’d already discussed this matter.

The King nodded and his shoulders lowered slightly as they relaxed and tension fled him.

Perhaps it was to settle his mind one last time.

Then, when the time is upon us, I entrust this letter to you so it may make its way to her hands. She may resist – in fact, I know she will,” he added with a rather fond, yet forlorn smile. “But hopefully, this letter will explain all – answer her questions and put her mind at ease.

He’d looked at Roy so earnestly. With a jolt, Roy realised this was not the king before him, but simply a father, desperate for the assurance his daughter would be all right in the future, and that she would have someone to watch her back, should she need it and if the worst come to pass.

Roy fisted his hand over his heart and bowed respectfully to King Hawkeye. “I shall protect it with my life, Your Highness. I will see it delivered to her in the morning.

The king patted Roy’s arm while wearing a weary, yet relieved, smile. “Thank you, young prince. You placate this old man’s heart immensely. Should you forget, should the moment be sprung upon us without a moments notice, do not fret. Just get yourself and my daughter to safety. That is all I ask. This,” he gestured to the letter clutched between Roy’s fingers, “was only to make things easier on you both if necessary.”

Roy had nodded in acceptance.

I hope that if the time does come your journey will be an easy one, however when has the world ever been so kind to the people of the Forest Kingdom?

His question was laced with such sadness it caused an ominous feeling to skate up Roy’s spine.

Unsure how to reply, Roy had said nothing and bowed a final time. He pocketed the letter and once in the sanctuary of his bedroom he placed it atop his desk. His fingers caressed the swooping lines of Riza’s name as his thoughts fondly turned to the woman and how she’d comforted and held him earlier that day. The moment, and subsequent memory of it, had stirred such deep emotions within his heart which he could not afford to entertain, and had filled him with such longing Roy had to shut his eyes against it. He had to take a moment to compose himself, to draw in a deep, shuddering breath, before stepping away from thoughts of the Princess to ready himself for bed.

The ground beneath Roy’s feet rocked as the sound of a blast shook the foundations of the trees around the castle, sending him careening to the side as he lost his balance, and into the wall within the entryway to his quarters. It disrupted him from his thoughts and his instincts overrode everything.

He had to get to the Princess.

The thought of the sealed envelope lying a few feet away fled his mind completely.

The noise from outside hit Roy like a wave as soon as he stepped outside his quarters. Soldiers were still marching hurriedly down the hall and staff members were running in fear. To where, Roy didn’t know.

He tightened his grip on his sword.

“Prince Mustang!”

His head whipped around to see a member of the King’s court hurrying up to him. She latched onto his arms and gripped his biceps tightly. Roy had to catch her by the waist before she fell to the floor.

“Lady Catalina?”

She was breathless, her chest heaving as she tried to catch her breath. “My Prince, it’s awful.”

“Lady Catalina, what’s happening?”

He caught sight of another noblewoman running in the opposite direction the guards were heading. The poor woman’s face was white as a sheet but she paid them both no mind in her escape.

“It’s the Orcs.” Her eyes were wide with fear as she stared up at him. “From the north. They’re here.”

Roy’s body tensed immediately after her announcement. Memories flooded his mind of what had transpired the last time he’d crossed their path. Roy swallowed down the bile creeping up within his throat and refocussed his gaze on Lady Catalina.

“Lady Catalina, where is the Princess?”

“I don’t know,” she shook her head. “I was heading to her private rooms before I saw you. We need to warn her.”

Roy nodded in agreement. He gestured for Lady Catalina to follow him and led the way to the Princess’ private quarters.

Their trip was uneventful but Roy’s muscles were constantly coiled and ready to strike if need be. He was on edge and alert, ready to attack.

His knuckles banged against the wood of Riza’s door sharply and his stomach roiled with anxiety the longer they waited for her to answer.

A horrible thought entered Roy’s mind, wondering if she’d already awoken and left, but it was quickly put to rest when the door opened.

Riza looked between Roy and Lady Catalina, initially confused, but her face fell as soon as the sound of yelling and fighting reached her. As they’d progressed further towards the front of the castle the smell of burning was becoming stronger, and Roy didn’t like it one bit. He could also start to smell the overwhelming stench of Orc and it almost made him vomit. It was exactly as he remembered and confirmed it was definitely the scent he’d picked up by the waterwall the morning before.

“They’re here, aren’t they?”

There was no fear in Riza’s voice, but it was present in her vibrant, caramel eyes. She looked to Roy, waiting for him to confirm.

Seeing the desperation in her eyes, he wanted to lie to her. To tell her everything was all right and her home was fine. Her kingdom was okay.

Roy nodded. “We need to go.”

Without a word Riza turned on her heel and re-entered her rooms. Lady Catalina hurried in after her to assist but Roy hesitated to step further within. Having her out of his sight was making him nervous but she was still in her sleeping clothes. She’d need to change, and Roy was a gentleman.

He stepped inside swiftly and closed the door behind him. He gave Riza the privacy she required and kept facing the door.

A scream erupted from outside in the hall and it put Roy on edge. He tensed and angled his sword, so it pointed towards the door.

“Your Highness,” he called over his shoulder, becoming more agitated by the second. The strain was beginning to show in his voice.

Riza’s hand was gentle as she placed it upon his forearm. It startled Roy enough that he jumped, turning to face her. She was dressed, but not in one of her usual dresses or her riding gear. She wore gleaming silver armour and attached to her back was her forest green cloak. Her favoured blade was attached to her hip.

“I’m ready,” she replied softly.

Roy nodded. He stepped forwards and tentatively opened the door. He poked his head out and determined the hall was empty.

“Keep Lady Catalina close by,” he urged over his shoulder.

“She’s armed too,” Riza offered.

Roy raised an eyebrow in surprise at that but didn’t question it. His top priority was to get the Princess out of here and to safety. That was his job and that was the promise he’d made to King Hawkeye. It was the vow he’d made to himself, also.

“Let’s go,” he stated grimly.

“We need to find my father.”

Roy held his tongue. It was not his place to argue but he’d made a promise to the King.

“We’ll assess the situation and –”

“We cannot leave him to face this alone,” she interrupted, adamant about that fact.

“Princess –”

“We’re going to find the King. If we’re fleeing to safety, then he’s coming too. My grandfather too.”

Roy gripped his sword tighter in the palm of his hand and grit his teeth together.

Before he could offer up any form of response Riza caught him off guard and stepped around him. She pulled the door to her rooms open even further and made to step through it.

Thankfully, Roy had reacted in time to grasp her wrist to jerk her back into the room and out of the way of an incoming stab from a wicked looking sword. A rather familiar type of weapon.

An Orc rounded the corner of the door and moved to step inside with a growl and its teeth bared. It towered over Roy, but he was no stranger to fighting this enemy and backed up, forcing Riza to move with him.

Fighting them in close quarters would work to Roy’s advantage due to the orc’s much larger size, however that would put Riza at risk and that was something he could not in good conscience bring himself to do if he didn’t have to.

A wide smirk twisted the orc’s features unpleasantly as it took another step inside to the centre of the room where the space opened up. Roy didn’t let go of Riza’s wrist as they retreated backwards and wasn’t met with much resistance from the Princess.

Under the grip of his fingers Roy could feel her pulse hammering beneath the skin of her wrist.

The jagged blade of the orc’s sword was thrust towards them which Roy dodged easily. He shoved Riza off to the side and out of the way at the same time before drawing the Orc’s attention away from the Princess with a wide arcing swing of his sword.

He tried not to look at the blade the orc wielded, for he was afraid it would bring back too many bad memories and render him useless during the fight.

It was the same type of weapon which had skewered him over a year ago. He still remembered the jagged edges grinding against bone and shredding skin as the Orc wrenched it free. Roy swallowed down his bile and the wave of sadness. Adrenaline had taken over but that emotion had still managed to push through at the reminder of his fallen brother.

He wouldn’t let the same thing happen to the Princess.

He would be better this time. He would do better this time.

With a quick dash and precise strike, he slashed his sword across the Orc’s chest. It let out a bellow of pain and lurched clumsily towards him in retaliation. With an easy sidestep Roy darted around the enemy to cut at the backs of its knees, causing it to collapse, and plunged his sword into its back, through its heart. With a dull thud the Orc hit the ground and remained motionless.

“Go!” he shouted to Riza and Lady Catalina. “Get to the courtyard!”

“You both go on ahead,” Riza called over her shoulder. “I’m going to find my father.”

“Princess –”

“My Lady, we will all go together,” Lady Catalina interjected before Roy could growl in frustration at her stubbornness.

However the decision was made for them. The path to the King’s study was blocked by two orcs who were being fended off by multiple castle guards.

Roy shifted between the enemy and the Princess, herding her hurriedly in the opposite direction. “The courtyard,” he reiterated.

They didn’t come across anymore Orcs as they made their way through the castle however the sounds of battle were not far off. Screams of terror and cries of pain echoed through the once peaceful walls, creating a cacophony of noise that made his heart ache.

The people of the Forest Kingdom were a gentle people. Yes, they could hold their own in battle and were more than capable of fighting and protecting their lands, however they were not a warring nation. They were a peaceful one. They nurtured and gave life to the world around them. To see such death and destruction ravaging the halls of this truly wonderful place caused great sorrow to take root within Roy’s heart. It increased tenfold when he thought of the Princess. Her face was filled with steely determination as they moved but she flinched after hearing a screaming woman’s wail pierce through the pre-dawn air. It was a cry of loss, of such gut-wrenching sorrow and grief, and it looked like the Princess shared in that sentiment with her unnamed subject.

Her people were dying. Her kingdom was being threatened and destroyed. Again.

Roy sliced his way through two Orcs who had their backs turned to the main entrance to the castle. Their surprised and dying cries caught the attention of two more who charged towards them. Roy dispatched one but someone darting forward to his left made him halt.

Although his heart was in his throat and pounding ferociously in his fear, he watched in awe as Riza easily took down the Orc. The beast stood no chance and was easily felled with a few strikes. Riza’s knife gleamed with its blood as it fell to the ground, never to stand again.

She looked almost feral as she stood over the dead Orc’s body. Her eyes were wide with fury, her face set in anger as blood dripped onto the pale stone beneath her feet, sliding off her blade. She was a vision, and such a contrast to the woman he’d come to know over the past year.

She looked like a warrior queen.

A queen Roy would readily offer his blade to and pledge himself to her service forever.

Once assessing the area was clear of the enemy, Roy straightened his spine and lowered his weapon.

“Princess?”

She didn’t appear to hear him. Determination and revenge clouded her expression but there was a deep well of pain in her eyes. They shimmered as she stared down at their fallen enemy and Riza was lost in whatever thoughts were cloying her mind.

He had to break her free of it.

“Princess, we must away.” He spoke to her softly. Roy was afraid if he spoke any louder or spoke too harshly, she would spook and startle.

Eyes which were filled with pain lifted to meet his, but no tears fell. Her voice was strong and unwavering. She was a pillar of strength even as her kingdom – her home – and her people were being torn to shreds. Even as her greatest fear was unfolding before her eyes.

“My father –”

“There isn’t time,” Roy replied as gently as he could.

“There is always time, Prince Mustang.” Her words were not cold, but they were not warm either. She spoke with a deadly calm that brokered no argument. When she turned to return to inside the castle walls, Roy was helpless to watch after her.

He could not stop her. Not for this. Not after witnessing the sight he had after she’d killed the orc.

His grip on his sword loosened with his resignation.

The best he could do, however, was guard her back as he’d promised. To protect her life, for it was precious and worth so much to him, and Roy couldn’t imagine doing anything else.

Roy would not let her face whatever hardships were due to come her way alone.

“Find us some horses and have them on standby.”

Lady Catalina blinked after them and opened her mouth to argue with him, but Roy was already leaving her side to jog and catch up to Riza.

Again, the halls were empty at they traversed the castle’s hallways.

But the one to the King’s study was flooded with Orcs.

Roy wrapped an arm around Riza’s waist and abruptly drew her back against his chest to keep them both out of view. She struggled slightly against his hold, but Roy quickly hushed her. He lowered his face to her ear and hissed at her to be quiet.

“We are outnumbered, Princess,” he breathed into her ear.

“We need to help him. We need to go, he’s surrounded!” she hissed in reply as her hands latched onto the forearm pressed against her stomach.

“You don’t know that,” Roy tried to reason with her. “He could already have gotten away.”

“You don’t know that either,” she very nearly snarled at him.

“Princess,” he urged, his tone edging on desperation. “Please.”

“I won’t leave him,” she barked, adamant in her resolve.

“Princess, we can’t –”

“We can.”

Look at how many there are,” he hissed as he squeezed her waist tightly, willing her to see how dangerous the situation was. He resisted the temptation to give her a shake. “We cannot take them on alone. We need to get you to safety. You are the heir to this Kingdom. Your safety is paramount, just as much as the King’s is.”

“We have to do something,” she whispered.

Her strength was not failing her, however if Roy had to guess, reality was beginning to set in. Hopelessness was threatening to cloud her voice as she spoke.

“I –” Her breath hitched. “Please, Roy,” she begged, breaking his heart in two. “I can’t lose someone else. Please.”

Her words finally fractured his heart into a million pieces.

Roy’s eyelids fluttered closed, because his decision had already been made even before she pleaded so desperately with him.

He was a coward, he supposed, because in that tiny moment of stillness before he moved, Roy was glad Riza was clutched tightly against his chest. With their current stance, he couldn’t look into her eyes.

His grip strengthened around the Princess, and he jerked her backwards, pulling her away from her father. Roy ensured the arm wrapped around her waist was tight, his hold steadfast, because as soon as Riza realised what was happening, she started to struggle against him.

“Roy!” Her hands clawed at his arms in her desperation to get free. She was frantic and almost slipped through his grasp, but Roy couldn’t let her go and face that fate. He would not let her succumb to the same one he almost had. That his brother had.

If she did, if Roy allowed her to walk to a similar fate which was very likely to end in disaster, as there were even more orcs here than he’d faced off against in the war a year ago, Roy would never be able to forgive himself.

So, he did his job. He did as directed upon his arrival within this marvellous kingdom, which he had finally found a home within, and kept the promise he’d made to King Hawkeye.

“Sorry, Princess,” he whispered in defeat as he dragged her away from her father.

It was probably safe to say she didn’t hear him over her protests.

But even if the Princess hated him for it, she’d be alive.

They’d been so close to her father. Her last remaining family. So close to providing aid or confirming the worst. So close to seeing him, even for just a moment, one final time.

And Roy had taken that chance away from her.

He’d robbed Riza of it.

Chapter Text

Their travels were silent as they escaped her crumbling kingdom. It took a while, so jumbled and distraught were her thoughts, for Riza to realise just how quiet the environment around them was as their horses manoeuvred their way through the trees. Where birdsong was a near constant companion while travelling and one could view any number of animals from a distance, the air was quiet and there was nothing in sight. The evil which had invaded appeared to have scared everything away, back to the safety of their burrows and dens.

Riza wished she had the same ability as the poor creatures of her forest home.

Their small group, comprising of Lady Rebecca – one of Riza’s closest ladies in waiting – Lord Havoc – a knight in her father’s guard and a prominent member of his court – and Roy only slowed to a stop once the forest started to give way to the plains of the south. Greenery and tall pines morphed into gentle rolling hills and barren pastures for as far as the eye could see. Golden grasses stirred in the silent breeze, rippling like the waves of the ocean.

Already Riza mourned the loss of the trees. They were familiarity, safety, and easy to hide within.

The trees were her home.

She felt bare, exposed, without them.

Roy motioned for their company to come to a stop. He dismounted from behind Riza and strode forward a few feet, to the front of their band of horses, to overlook the open valley before them. After his head swivelled back and forth a few times he nodded to himself, seemingly satisfied, and backed up. When he turned to face the rest of his companions he looked between them all before speaking.

“We appear to be safe enough here for the moment,” he announced. “I suggest we rest for a while before moving out.”

“To where?”

His eyes flicked over to Riza as she asked her question in a rather harsh tone. Far harsher than she’d ever spoken to the prince. But anger and hurt had festered thanks to his actions and caused her to grip the reins of her horse tightly. She wasn’t sure if she’d be able to forgive and so soon for forcefully dragging her away from seeing to her father and grandfather. He hadn’t even given her a chance to try to assist them.

She didn’t even know if they were still alive.

Pain had gripped her heart as they’d travelled, becoming more pronounced as time progressed, and now it felt like a vice as she struggled to breathe. Unable to take it anymore, Riza dismounted and stalked towards the prince, finally letting loose the questions which had been plaguing her since they escaped her besieged home.

“Why did you drag me out of there? Why didn’t you help me do something to help my father?”

Her demands were met with silence.

The prince’s face morphed into a blank expression as he stared down at her, which irked Riza even further.

Why wouldn’t he answer her?

“I am tasked with ensuring your safety, You Highness –”

“Why didn’t you help my father?” Her voice didn’t raise too high in volume but her insistence was evident.

Lord Havoc and Rebecca had also dismounted and bristled by her sides as Riza took another step towards Roy with her hands curled into fists by her side.

Riza couldn’t quite fathom or remember how Lord Havoc had joined their group. Her and Roy’s return to the horses had been a blur of emotion and silent grief, but through the heartache she’d vaguely been aware of Lord Havoc waiting with Rebecca. Riza had been quickly urged onto a horse by the Prince, who mounted behind her, and they all took off into the forest to flee.

The Prince…

The man who’d denied her one last chance of seeing her father. The man who had been unwilling to assist her in finding and helping her family and who’d dragged her away from the conflict – the opportunity to do something, to fight against the enemy invading her home – against her will.

Her heart clenched painfully again within her chest. Every beat of the organ was laced with pain as the reality of her situation set in.

She truly had no idea if her last remaining family members were still alive.

And this had happened so soon after losing her mother, too.

Riza had no idea the damage done to her kingdom, and she’d fled. She hadn’t fought for her lands or her people. She’d left them behind.

Her chest burned but she channelled it into a small compartment at the back of her mind for now. Her fists clenched tighter and she drew herself up taller, willing herself to calm as she awaited the Prince’s answer. She would not break down. Not here. And not in front of him. Prince Mustang didn’t even have the decency to look apologetic. He didn’t deserve to see her sorrow.

“I was only following orders, Your Highness.”

“You were a guard within my kingdom. You had a duty to protect the King –”

“I was following orders from the King,” Prince Mustang bit back, his blank façade cracking. She could see his anger beginning to peek through. Good. Maybe then he’d give her some answers, rather than the same monotone reply.

“What orders?”

“He tasked me with getting you out of the kingdom and to safety, should the invasion come.”

“Why wasn’t I made aware of this. Did you know?” She turned to Lord Havoc and Rebecca, enquiring if either one was aware of her father’s plans.

“No, Your Highness,” the young Lord murmured.

Rebecca shook her head. “I was not made aware, My Lady.”

“I did not question your father’s methods or motives, Your Highness, only agreed to his terms. It has been my duty since my arrival to ensure your safety, which I aim to still follow through on.” Prince Mustang sighed heavily. “He handed me a letter to pass onto you when the time was right –”

A letter?

“Well, where is it?”

Prince Mustang’s eyes flashed with something akin to irritation. Or frustration. “I was a bit preoccupied while I assumed my post during the invasion, Your Highness. I did not exactly have time to stop and pick it up.”

Riza’s eyes narrowed at him as her fractured mind whispered and warned her to be wary. It was awfully convenient, she thought, the Prince had left her father and grandfather to their fate, claiming this was what they’d wanted for her. It could be a ploy to end their family all together. The talks between the Fire and the Forest Kingdoms had always been tense after the first invasion. Had he been playing the long game all along for his father?

A part of her mind – the more rational part – jolted Riza and warned her about seriously travelling down this path of thinking. Prince Mustang couldn’t be that good of an actor. Not for all the time he’d spent with her and her father. He’d been her friend, Riza reminded herself. She knew him. She’d come to trust him as much as she did Lady Rebecca and her father.

Except, he’d never really opened up to her. It had taken months and had only happened the day before the invasion started.

A ploy?

Riza felt too heartbroken, her thoughts and emotions too tumultuous, to make proper sense of the tempting thoughts her grief were slipping into her exhausted mind.

She knew Roy.

“Listen,” Prince Mustang frowned, his impatience growing. “I was only doing as I was asked –”

“Which you neglected to share with me –”

“Do not shoot the messenger, Your Highness,” he growled, lowering his face so it was right in front of hers. Riza stood defiant against him, her glare just as intense as his. “Blame your father for his lack of communication with his daughter. He only handed me the damned letter last night after you’d retired for the evening and dismissed me, so you will have to ask him about his methods and reasonings for leaving it so late in the day. I do not appreciate you turning your anger towards me because of his choices.”

Prince Mustang brushed passed her and started to walk down the road ahead of them.

Riza didn’t turn to watch him progress onwards without them, forgoing the use of the horses. She kept her eyes forward and her back to Lord Havoc and Rebecca, so she missed the uncertain look they both shared.

The Prince was correct, however, how could she ask her father now, when they’d fled and left him behind? He could have been murdered at the hands of the orcs, just like her mother, and she had no idea.

Riza’s knees shook.

“My Lady –”

“We shall follow Prince Mustang,” Riza managed to force out, cutting off whatever Rebecca had been planning to say.

Deep down, she knew Prince Mustang was right in ensuring her safety. She was the only heir to the kingdom and she was away from the conflict for now. If everything had gone to hell and she was the last remaining family member then the duty rested upon her shoulders to help her people and her lands. To reclaim them from those who’d invaded and wronged them.

To the south was the Fire Kingdom. She could see the grey mountain peaks in the distance, reaching high into the sky with their jagged peaks. A few days of travelling and they could seek out assistance from King Mustang. Their alliance was still intact and now she needed to call upon his aid.

Riza’s limbs shook as she remounted her horse. She finally cast a glance in the Prince’s direction to see him continuing down the hill and into the valley below.

“But where shall we go, Your Highness?”

Both her companions were speaking to her softly, as if she were a caged animal. As if afraid to spook her.

Getting a lid on everything roiling within her, Riza squared her shoulders and nudged her horse to walk forward.

“We head for the Fire Kingdom.”

She didn’t like how exposed the plains would leave them. The forest was far better cover however there was nothing of the sort on their path ahead. Only tall grasses swaying peacefully in the breeze. A contradiction to the people moving through them.

The Prince had apparently had a similar thought as she. He continued walking ahead without them towards his homeland.

Riza knew a part of her still trusted him. He’d been her friend. Her stomach clenched at the memory of his bright smiles which lit up the world around her and softened her heart. She remembered how tightly and tenderly he’d held her the day before after he’d shared his past with her.

Perhaps emotion was clouding her judgement but deep down within her gut Riza knew she could still trust Prince Mustang.

Besides, thinking otherwise hurt too much to entertain at the moment, so Riza pushed it aside for now and focussed on the task ahead.

Chapter 8

Notes:

just a wee note that the tags have been updated. also this chapter includes a flashback which deals with death, so just a heads up

Chapter Text

The Princess was furious with him.

Well, no wonder, after the stunt he’d pulled and his perceived betrayal. Roy had explained himself and in the heat of the moment it seemed she’d been unable to see his reason. He hoped that with time, she would come to realise he’d done it with the best intentions. With her safety and wellbeing at heart, and not with any malicious intent or underlying motives.

Roy sighed quietly to himself. He ensured he barely made a sound as the rest of his party were currently asleep around the fire in their impromptu campsite.

He’d not wished for them to travel by the main roads in case any Orc raiding parties lingered nearby, but when the sun started to set and the temperature dropped, he could not deny their need to make camp any longer.

The innkeeper of the first – and only – inn they’d come across that day refused to provide shelter for them for the night within his establishment.

We’re closed,” he’d snapped, but only due to his fear. Roy could see it clear within his eyes. They shifted from side to side nervously, as if he were merely waiting for an unknown entity to jump out on him. “I don’t want anything outside knowing people are still inside here.”

News of the invasion had reached them already, apparently.

One small kindness though was he’d provided blankets for their group for the night and urged Roy to keep them, so long as they made camp far away from his inn.

Roy had agreed and thanked him profusely, which softened the fearful man somewhat.

A small child had peeked around the partially open door behind his father and given Roy a tentative, friendly smile as they’d both talked.

The man’s reasonings for refusing their business was understandable. Roy could respect his desire to protect his young family. After all, he was trying to do the same with the Princess.

Roy nodded and bowed to them both, watching as the young child’s eyes lit up at the gesture, thanking them one last time before leaving and granting the man’s request. After travelling for a further thirty minutes and coming across a small stream, Roy motioned for their group to stop. The horses were tethered to the young trees near the bank of the river and were prompted to drink deep from the cold water. He offered them feed the innkeeper had provided before Roy left him and made sure they were comfortable.

His thoughts were suddenly disturbed by the horses shifted through the night. Roy gripped the sword resting upon his lap tighter and looked over his shoulder to assess them. They were simply shifting in sleep. Satisfied, Roy exhaled and cast a glance over the sleeping members of their group behind him.

Lord Havoc was snoring lightly on his back, one arm raised and covering his eyes. His other hand lay extended by his side, hidden underneath the blanket from the innkeeper. Lady Catalina lay by his side beneath her own blanket, curled into a ball with a hand tucked underneath her neck. Her free hand was extended too, reaching over towards Lord Havoc. Roy was no fool and could easily discern they were clinging onto one another beneath the blanket. He swallowed, feeling his loneliness creep up on him suddenly. Glancing over, he saw the Princess was curled into a tight ball with her back to the rest of them. Her side rose and fell evenly with her breath, and she made no sound in her slumber.

At least she’d found some peace after their day from hell.

If only Roy could offer that to her as well.

He hadn’t even bothered stating he’d take the watch for the night. Tensions were too high, and he didn’t feel like opening his mouth to talk, in fear it would incite another argument or heated glances. Roy had simply placed himself upon the ground, facing away from the group, with his sword resting on his lap. He scanned the forest before him, daring anyone or anything to jump out and make his life already more than the hell it was. It would be impressive though, Roy thought, if they could. Because he was pretty sure this was already his nightmare.

The thought pained Roy’s heart and he sucked in a ragged breath.

The others said nothing of it as Roy took up his post and continued to get comfortable for the night. Lord Havoc quietly told Roy to wake him when it was his turn to watch. Without turning his head, Roy nodded, but knew it was a lie. He wouldn’t be able to sleep anyway, so why bother with two of them being tired when only one needed to suffer?

Now that Roy was fairly certain the Princess hated him for tearing her away from her home, by extension, Roy supposed Lord Havoc and Lady Catalina would too. The glances they shot in his direction were not inherently hostile, but protective. Protective of the Princess.

Roy let out a quiet, humourless laugh. That was supposed to be his job. He allowed himself a moment of weakness in his solitude and buried his face in his hands.

If only he’d grabbed that damned letter. Or taken it to her when the King had handed it over to him. But no, he’d decided against it. He hadn’t wanted to disturb her.

No, if only King Berthold had communicated properly with his daughter. He’d been so caught up in planning to survive the invasion, he’d never given her enough time. He’d opted to go through a messenger to deliver his message, rather than do it himself.

There was the possibility that it was simply too much for him to discuss, Roy pondered.

His hands slid down his face, his fingers digging into the hollow of his cheeks as his mouth hung open. A deep sigh rattled his chest as he tried to expel all his negative thoughts towards the King.

It would be understandable. Shame nestled in Roy’s chest as he realised he’d jumped to his own selfish conclusions. The man had already lost his wife and had simply wanted to protect his daughter from suffering the same fate too. Grief was a powerful thing, and if it meant King Berthold couldn’t open up and voice his plan to his daughter, well… It didn’t exactly make it right, but Roy could recognise the motive behind it. He’d tried, at least, in the best way he knew how, he was sure. Roy had just failed to pass the message on. The Princess had always said the King had taken her mother’s passing hard and that he still struggled to come to terms with it to this day.

A heavy sigh left Roy’s lungs. It would be fine. As soon as they reached his father’s kingdom, the Princess would receive aid and would be able to negotiate with the King for safe passage back to her kingdom, along with an army to fight back the enemy. It was likely the Fire Kingdom’s army was already preparing if the news of the invasion had reached the innkeeper so quickly was anything to go by. They would have to be, given that Roy’s father had gifted him to Forest Kingdom as a peace offering. If they didn’t hold up their end of the bargain… Roy certainly wouldn’t put it passed his father, but he hopped to all that was holy in this world that he was wrong in thinking he wouldn’t follow through.

And Roy would never see the Princess again. She’d be gone, far away from him, where he could hurt her no longer.

Pain burned Roy’s chest at the thought, but it would be easier this way anyway. If she hated him then there would be no love lost when she left to reclaim her kingdom and her lands. If Roy was ordered to go and assist, he would, but he’d be shipped right back to his father once it was done.

If he wasn’t killed in the fighting first, that is.

Roy had no desire to die however he’d seen the destruction before. He’d almost died in the last one. His brother had stepped up and protected him.

An image suddenly flashed in Roy’s mind. A memory. He was bent over his dying brother in such agony that he was sobbing from the pain in his abdomen and in his heart. His brother was smiling serenely up at Roy from the battle torn ground, and he lifted a bloodied hand to Roy’s cheek to cup it with barely any strength.

Then his brother’s hand hit the earth with a dull thud and didn’t move again.

Roy jumped to his feet. His heart was racing and no matter how often he blinked or how focussed on a different tree in the forest he became, the image never left his mind. His brother, smiling at him, whispering his name one last time.

He died for you. You did that to him.

His steps forward were clumsy and Roy staggered, blinking furiously. He was moving blindly. His breathing increased in volume and his chest heaved with his breaths as panic threatened to overcome him. Roy stumbled and reached out, his hand finding purchase on a nearby tree. Suddenly, he found himself by the river. The horses stirred in distress, but Roy didn’t even notice. He couldn’t even hear them. The blood roaring in his ears was too loud. The river before him was bubbling cheerily and completely oblivious to the man panicking on its banks.

Roy fell to his knees in the midst of the reeds and cupped the freezing water within his hands. When it splashed over the skin of his face Roy hissed. It burned. It hurt. His eyes stung but Roy blinked it away. Again, he splashed water over his face. The cold seared his skin but he gritted his teeth against it. It was washing away the image in his mind slowly. His brother’s face was finally fading.

While he was grateful the panic was subsiding as the image wavered, Roy also felt like the worst person in the world. It happened every time one of these attacks happened. He felt relieved to see his brother go but hated how relieved it made him feel.

A sob choked free from his throat.

“Maes,” Roy breathed brokenly.

Longing and grief overwhelmed him.

He didn’t want his brother to leave. He wanted him back. He wanted them all back. Roy could barely picture his mother’s face anymore. Same with his eldest sibling’s. Whenever he conjured up Maes’ face, the image of his last moments was all he saw. Every time. That peaceful smile as a trickle of blood escaped past his lips to trail languidly down his chin.

Roy scrubbed at his cheek – the same one Maes had supped just before he passed away. It felt dirty. It still felt bloody. His breathing became more erratic as he rubbed at the skin and his fingers and hands grew numb. But it still didn’t feel clean.

If he wasn’t quiet, the others might hear him.

Pressing his lips into a thin line, Roy collapsed back onto the grassy bank.

He was soaked.

Tears streaked down his cheeks as the weight of all his grief and pain from his brother’s death crashed down on him at once. He’d never had time to properly grieve once he woke up from his injuries. His father had never given him the chance. Now, it was all hitting him at once, like a sucker punch to his stomach, leaving him completely winded.

He hadn’t done enough.

He hadn’t been able to save him.

He’d caused his death.

Sitting in silence, Roy stared at the water blankly. A fleeting thought crossed his mind that almost made him laugh, despite it all.

With thoughts like that, he really was starting to sound like his father.

Sodden, Roy stood silently. He shivered in the cold night air and rubbed at his face. He was sure he looked awful, but he couldn’t bring himself to care.

His world was crashing down around him, in every way, but Roy didn’t care.

Walking back to their small camp, Roy saw that no one had stirred. Thankfully.

His countenance was bleak as he shifted closer to the fire in an effort to try and dry out his clothing and stop his shivering. His shirt was soaked through and sat heavily and uncomfortably on his neck. His trousers were wet in patches, but not entirely. There was some warmth still in them as he shivered violently.

Roy gripped his sword tightly and returned his attention to the trees. His decision had already been made about not waking Lord Havoc, but now his resolve was even stronger. Roy would not be sleeping tonight. He did not want to do so around the others and cause a scene if a nightmare decided to plague him.

The less they knew about it all, the better.

Roy would get them to the Fire Kingdom and then he would allow himself to let go.

But not before then.

Chapter Text

“You didn’t wake me.”

Riza took a second to come to after waking. She smacked her lips and pushed herself into a seated position, her body aching after a night of sleeping on the hard ground. After picking up on Jean’s accusatory tone she blinked away the sleep from her eyes and looked around. Scanning their small camp she saw Rebecca waking at the same time as her, but Jean was already sitting up, cross legged, and staring down the Prince.

“Why not?”

Roy shrugged at his question and didn’t answer. He doused the fire and stomped on it, discouraging any embers as he shifted the pieces of wood apart from one another.

“Prince Mustang –”

“We leave in ten minutes,” Roy interrupted without looking up from his task. “There’s a stream over there to quickly wash up and refill your waterskins.” He turned on his heel and left them to it, walking in the direction he’d pointed in for the water.

Jean scoffed beside her quietly, muttering to himself.

The tension from the day before was still obviously there. She felt terrible for her outburst. It wasn’t called for and it was incredibly likely her father had ordered Roy to get her to safety and leave him behind should the situation demand it. It didn’t mean Riza liked such a plan, but it was still likely. She was his heir, after all. The royal family would live on through her if anything happened to the rest of them.

“What is it,” Riza questioned.

Jean turned to look at her, realising she was awake. “He didn’t wake me through the night to take up the next watch,” he grumbled to himself.

Riza’s head turned to watch Roy’s retreating form, just before it disappeared between the trees.

“He’s been awake all night?”

Jean nodded. He stood from his bedroll and stretched overhead, yawning loudly.

Roy…

Riza grasped her waterskin which lay beside her discarded blanket and walked to the stream. As she passed by the fire she noticed droplets of water leaving a trail towards it. It was odd, but Riza didn’t think much of it. Perhaps Roy had spilled some through the night, during his watch.

Roy was crouched at the stream’s edge and refilling his own skin when she arrived. Riza paused at the top of the bank, simply watching him, swithering between announcing her presence and leaving him be. His shoulders were hunched, and his chin rested upon his knees as his hand was submerged in what was probably freezing cold water.

She should apologise to him. She knew that.

Once he noticed she was behind him, Roy’s head turned slightly to check, then he stood. After securing the skin he slung the leather strap over his shoulder and started back up the bank without saying a word.

“We leave in five minutes,” he stated as he walked by, not looking her in the eye.

“Roy –”

It had the desire effect because he froze. His shoulders tensed and his head dipped slightly.

“Wait –”

“Five minutes.” He walked off without another glance behind him.

Riza’s chest burned. Had she ruined everything with her accusations in her grief? Had she pushed him away completely, but unintentionally? She was a fool. Why did she have to open her mouth? No, why didn’t her father explain all of this to her beforehand? Life would have been so much simpler if he did.

Swallowing thickly, Riza nodded and quickly filled her water. As suspected, the water was ice cold. She hissed as it froze her skin and she had to retract her hand completely. Roy had managed to keep his whole hand under as he filled it. For someone who complained so much about her land’s temperature when he came from a place of volcanoes and fire, he certainly didn’t seem to have a problem with it.

Or, Riza thought with horror, that was some kind of punishment for him.

Riza hurried back up the banks. Water sloshed from the top of the skin and onto the ground in her haste but Riza paid it no mind. It was not a significant amount to lose and she had a more important task to deal with at that moment.

Jean and Rebecca were approaching together when she crested the top of the bank.

 “My Lady, is something wrong?” Rebecca left Jean’s side and hurried over to her.

“Yes, but hopefully not for long.”

“Prince Mustang?” Rebecca shot her a look of understanding.

Riza nodded. “Could you please give us both a moment? I wish to speak with him.”

“Of course, Your Highness.” Jean bowed his head. “We will linger nearby but will give you the space you require.”

She smiled at them both gratefully. “Thank you.”

Roy was packing up their camp when Riza approached. She hovered some distance away to observe him once more. His movements were forceful and jerky as he folded up the blankets so kindly given to them by the innkeeper. They were tied together with leather strips Jean had found in one of the horse’s saddlebags and secured. Once he was finished rolling up one Roy tossed it to the side, stood, and moved to gather another.

“Prince Mustang?”

He didn’t pause in his movements.

“May I speak with you?”

“Of course, Your Highness.” He still hadn’t lifted his head from his work and did not look her way. The business-like tone of his voice stalled Riza for but a moment, then she took a deep breath and forged on ahead.

“Are you well, this morning?”

His hands slowed to a stop. Roy sighed.

“I apologise for my outburst yesterday,” Riza quickly interjected before he could speak. Her attempt at small talk and going into this gently had clearly failed, so Riza decided to beat no longer around the bush and get straight to the point. “I should not have directed my anger so forcefully towards you and I am sorry I lost my composure. You did not deserve to bear the brunt of it.”

Silence stretched between them, thick and uncertain. Riza remained quiet and gave him time to formulate a reply. She did not speak up, simply let her apology hang in the air to do with as he wished.

“Your Highness, it is all right,” Roy replied quietly. Formality had fled his voice. It held none of the anger she’d seen him hold the previous day or from this morning when he’d hurried them all along after waking. In truth, he simply sounded exhausted.

“It’s not all right –” Her protests were quickly interrupted.

“It is.” Roy stood from his crouch and finally turned to face her. “It was understandable. I too was not in the steadiest frame of mind yesterday after all that had transpired. We were both at fault.”

She opened her mouth to reply but was compelled to pause, to remain silent. Roy had turned to look south towards the road they’d left yesterday which would lead him to his homeland.

“We will get you to the Fire Kingdom,” he announced, voice quiet. “I shall escort you to my father and he will grant you the soldiers you require to take back your home.”

“Will you be amongst those returning home with me?”

She clung to that desperate hope, praying she hadn’t done irreparable damage after the words spoken between them yesterday.

“I do not know,” Roy admitted.

“Do you wish to be?” It was perhaps prodding too much, but it slipped out of her. It was something she had to ask, and the words left her throat before she could even think.

Roy turned his head to meet her gaze.

“My desires have never been taken into account, Your Highness, so I do not think it truly matters.”

Roy collected the three blankets and left the camp to make his way towards the horses. As he did so, as Riza watched him retreat, she felt an ach develop within her chest. It burned so hot and so intense it stole her breath. Of course it mattered what he wished. She wanted to know what he wished, that’s why Riza had asked.

It made sense why he’d think that way, Riza supposed. He’d been used as a pawn for the last year after his near death and the loss of a loved one. He hadn’t been given the chance to do as he desired. Duty came first and foremost, as it did with Riza as well, however at least her father sought out her counsel and did not make her decisions for her.

“Of course it matters.”

Roy twitched when he heard her reply.

“It matters, Roy. I want you to know that. And I do hope you will be there.” She felt heat burn her cheeks but knew in her heart what she was about to speak was the truth. “I want you to be there, but only if you do too. I understand if that can no longer be the case.”

His hands stopped in their work of securing a blanket to one of the horses.

“It is ultimately your choice,” Riza added quietly. She felt her shoulders droop with his lack of response and tried not to dwell to hard upon it, especially after certain feelings had come to light in the past short while towards the young prince. “I will not force you, nor will I expect anything of you. But know that you will always be welcome around my table and at my side, as a friend and as a companion.”

He did not reply for a long time. But Riza saw his shoulders drop some of their tension. They peeled away from his ears and she heard him exhale. Then, Roy nodded.

“Thank you, Your Highness,” he murmured before returning to work.

It was something at least, for the moment.

After they’d set off on the horses Roy was quiet. He rode alone and ahead of them all as the guide for their group. He knew the path, whereas the rest of them did not, so took up the lead. Riza was on her own horse while Jean and Rebecca shared the third, looking extremely comfortable with one another. Rebecca sat in front, grasping the saddle to keep her steady, while Jean’s arms had looped around her waist to grasp the reins. The two barely even batted an eye at the closeness of it all, causing Riza to lift a questioning eyebrow at her lady in waiting. Then, Rebecca’s cheeks had turned pink, but she’d shrugged in response. Apparently there was more going on between them than the Lady had let on. Riza was happy for them, though. The young Lord Havoc had been a blessing in her father’s court, with ideas and proposals which helped the people of their kingdom and were not thinly veiled in greed, like some others she could mention. He was always quick to smile, and assist should she need anything and had become a fast friend.

Looking at them now, Jean had said something lowly in Rebecca’s ear which caused her face to light up with quiet laughter and her eyes twinkle. As she leaned to the side to look up at his handsome face and reply, the look of adoration Jean gave her made Riza melt. They were positively adorable.

Giving them privacy she nudged her horse on ahead to walk closer to Roy.

She ignored the ache in her heart and focussed on being happy for her friends.

Their travel time was quiet, as was the world around them. Still, Riza could not help but remain on edge as she returned her attention to the road ahead. Whether it was a culmination of everything or if it was a sense something was wrong in the surrounding forest, she did not know. She had no way to discern which one it might be. So, she remained on lookout. Every tree canopy was scanned for waiting assailants. Every gloomy path was eyed closely to discern there was nothing lurking within.

They were still currently weaving their way through the same forest they’d camped in yesterday and had yet to reach the outskirts of it. Riza had been surprised when they’d crested the hill yesterday for the plains to give way to a small yet thriving forest. It delighted her with its familiarity and as they’d slept she’d felt safe under the cover of them for the first time since waking.

But something felt… off this morning.

The ambush came from behind. There was a burst of rustling leaves and branches, the sound like running water, as bandits emerged through the trees and rushed their group. They hurried close to Jean’s horse, spooking it and setting it off at a surprised gallop. Jean sent up a shout and his horse thundered ahead to catch up with the rest of them.

Roy spun around immediately and faced the group of four wielding weapons in the middle of the road. Riza turned and did the same while trying to control the sudden frantic beating of her heart.

She’d never come across bandits before. Had never been ambushed by anyone either. And it appeared they did not know her identity as they scanned their small group with a critical eye.

 They looked like they hadn’t bathed in days. Dirt caked cheeks and chins. There were grass stains on their trousers and tears in their clothing, but the blades they wielded were remarkably clean and shined in the sunlight. They chattered animatedly amongst themselves, something crazed in the way they sounded and moved, but spoke so lowly it did not travel the distance between them. Perhaps it was a tactic to disconcert.

Roy nudged his horse forward a step, so he was at the front of their group. Riza watched as he angled the beast to the left, so it now stood partially in front of her, blocking her from them. She tried not to let the hope fester in her chest at the action. As he’d said, it was only his job. He was doing as he’d been asked by her father. He would be honouring his potentially last wish.

“State your business,” Roy commanded as he looked down the road at them. They stood about fifty metres back and kept that distance for now.

“You have some mighty fine horses,” one near the middle called while the one on the left snickered. “We happen to be in need of some mighty fine horses.”

“You will not get these from us,” Roy frowned.

“We don’t need to ask you for them,” the man snorted. The others giggled by his side. “I didn’t say anything about asking for them.”

“If you think we shall give them up so easily you would be sorely mistaken.”

“He talks so fancy,” the bandit on the far right sneered.

“I’m sure you can afford a few new horses. I’m sure it won’t break the bank for you, so we’ll be taking those ones from you. Doesn’t have to be by force, but it can be if you want.”

They all grinned.

Riza gripped the reins of her horse tighter.

“No.”

Laughter broke out between the group which chilled Riza’s blood.

Fine.”

They each moved with a speed Riza did not expect. Just as she prepared to leap from her horse, Roy was quicker. He swung down and darted over to her. Their eyes met for a brief second and understanding dawned on Riza. She knew exactly what he was going to do and opened her mouth to protest.

Roy gripped the reins and spoke forcefully. “If I do not catch up with you within the hour continue south. My father will see you home, Your Highness.”

“Wait –!”

He got the horse moving into a gallop. The breakneck speed had Riza clutching onto the reins for dear life as it sprinted away from the fight breaking out behind her. She tried to control the beast, but it was spooked enough it would not slow down. Their rapid flight through the forest had anxiety clawing at her throat.

Only once they’d escaped the confines of the trees did the horse feel safe enough to slow.

As Riza turned to head back the way they’d came, to assist Roy, his horse, now bereft of a rider, and Jean and Rebecca came racing after it. Their faces were both grave.

“My Lady!” Rebecca called to her. “Are you all right?”

“What happened? Where’s Prince Mustang?”

“He remained behind to give us time to flee and catch up with you.”

“We must go,” Riza insisted. “We must return to assist him –”

“Your Highness, I would advise against it,” Jean interrupted gently. “It is not safe, and it is our job to ensure you remain unharmed.”

“There were four against one, though. He is outnumbered. We cannot leave him to such a fate.”

“My Lady, please –”

“I cannot lose another.” The words were breathed quietly to herself, but the other two heard them. Riza hadn’t intended to speak them aloud. She meant to only think as terror and worry flooded her veins.

“He cannot die,” Riza whispered.

Rebecca reached across the space between them to grip her hand tightly within hers. “He will not,” she replied with confidence. “He will catch up with us and we will continue on our journey together.”

The wait was agonising. The hour came and went with the passing of the sun and Rebecca and Jean shared a look.

“Your Highness?”

“We continue to wait.” She would not abandon him.

“Your Highness, it has been over an hour,” Jean said gently.

“We wait,” Riza ground out to leave no room for argument.

She would not leave him. She refused to believe the worst had come to pass.

Jean stood and readied his weapon at the sound of approaching footsteps. Rebecca scrambled to her feet by his side, weapon at the ready, as did Riza. With apprehension prickling over her skin and her stomach churning with numerous different emotions, Riza awaited the approaching newcomer’s appearance around the bend in the road.

It felt like she couldn’t breathe.

He looked worse for wear and there was blood on his clothing, but Roy walked steadily, yet wearily, towards them.

Riza gasped and dropped her blade. She ran to him – much to the prince’s surprise – and threw her arms around his neck. She almost knocked both of them over with her enthusiasm. Tears burned her eyes and Riza pressed her face into the crook of his neck. It was perhaps crossing a line, but Riza could not bring herself to care. Not when she’d spent the last hour fretting over his wellbeing and what had become of him.

Not when she’d feared deep down he’d been killed.

“Riza?” His voice was low, barely above a whisper, and it sounded heavenly to her ears. Roy’s arms carefully, hesitantly, wrapped around her waist and drew her in even closer to him

“Are you all right?” She pulled away and cupped his cheek. As Roy blinked down at her in shock Riza studied his eyes, his face, and his hairline for any sign of injury. Thankfully, she found nothing. Riza pulled back further, resting one hand on his shoulder and the other on his chest, to look down at his bloodied clothing, causing Roy to secure her against him with an arm around her hips.

“I’m fine,” he replied, still blinking at her.

It was then Riza realised how forward she’d been. She now stood in the middle of the road, wrapped in his embrace, as Jean and Rebecca watched on.

Riza’s face burned hot, but it dissipated when the corner of Roy’s lips twitched upwards, threatening a smile, and he tightened his grip on her waist.

“You waited for me.” He did not phrase it as a question, however appeared surprised she would do such a thing.

“Of course I did. I couldn’t leave you behind,” Riza added. She dropped her gaze to the gap left by the unbuttoned collar of his shirt, showing off the ‘v’ shape of skin below his neck. It looked flushed with sweat and Riza felt his heart beating loudly beneath her palm. “I couldn’t lose you too,” she admitted.

Roy’s grip tightened on her and he exhaled.

“Come,” he beckoned gently. Tenderly. “The threat is gone but I cannot be certain we are safe here. Let us find a camp for the afternoon.” He grimaced in pain as he – regretfully – lowered his arm from around her waist.

“Will you be all right riding?”

Roy nodded. “One of them caught me in the shoulder.”

Immediately Riza’s eyes dropped to it.

“It’s not a laceration. It will merely bruise.”

Her fingers danced over the area of his wound. Not close enough to touch and bring him more pain, but close enough for him to know she wished to soothe his ache. One he had received because he’d stepped in front of an enemy to protect her.

“I’m all right, Riza,” he murmured for her ears only.

Emotion overwhelmed her and she snaked her arms around his neck again. She held onto him tight and let go of all the fears which had plagued her the past hour or so. Riza let go of her anger towards their current situation. Roy’s arms tightened around her waist and she heard him sigh quietly in her ear. It was one filled with relief and contentment as they held one another. Riza found herself mirroring the same sentiment.

All that mattered to her right now was that Roy was all right.

He lived.

She hadn’t lost another she cared so deeply for.

Chapter Text

The embrace Roy had shared with the Princess warmed him to his very core as he settled into the saddle of his horse. Even now, a full day after its occurrence, he’d been unable to shake the memory of it or the feelings it stirred within him. It had banished some of his deeper fears, those he still did not wish to entertain while serving his duty, after his and Riza’s argument post-invasion. But he couldn’t help but flush with pleasure after witnessing Riza’s response to his return.

Oh, she had looked so relieved when he’d walked around that corner. Her worry had been clearly evident and while Roy was sorry to ever cause her such distress it was not a moment he would easily forget, nor was he willing to. It was seared into his memory and would be one he’d cherish carefully and keep close to his heart.

 In all honesty Roy had expected them to leave him behind. He had advised them too and would not begrudge his party for that fact if they had done so, as it was the safest option.

But they’d waited.

They’d all stayed. For him.

Roy’s shift in positioning caused his saddle mate to stiffen in response. The realisation jolted him from his musings, and he returned with a start to the present. The way he’d brushed up against her back as he did so caused Roy’s face to flush for another reason than the more humid southern climate.

As they’d travelled further from the gentle air of the Forest Kingdom, the hotter their day became. Despite his time away, Roy still felt relaxed in the heat. The others, however, were feeling the effects. Lady Catalina had even ripped off a strip of cloth from the bottom of her shirt and dunked it in the cold water of the stream they were resting beside. The poor Lord Havoc’s face had turned crimson at the sight of such exposed skin of her midriff. He’d quickly turned and averted his gaze, making Roy laugh to himself at his antics. The Lady was not fazed in the slightest – something told Roy she’d never cared a whit about such propriety before – and sighed in relief as she pressed the cool compress against her forehead.

In order to save the poor Lord from having a heart attack, Roy provided a piece of scrap cloth he’d found in a saddlebag to Riza when Lady Catalina offered to tear off another piece of her shirt to provide Riza with one as well.

As they’d relaxed and enjoyed a midday meal of wild berries and fresh water from said stream, Riza had even made a comment about the heat, not dissimilar to the way Roy had done so in a private moment within her gardens back at her home. It had been a tentative one and something spoken for his ears only. An inside joke. A gentle foray into lighter conversation, even despite the tight hug they’d shared. The words spoken between them in the heat of the moment before had not been forgotten, nor had they been discussed however it wasn’t as if they’d had a moment to spare for such frivolity. Not while their lives were potentially in danger and the fate of the Princess’ kingdom rested upon their hasty travel. But Roy appreciated Riza’s dry humour in her attempt to lighten the air between them. He relished in its familiarity. The smile which lit up her face at the sound of his bark of surprised laughter brightened his whole world. Conversation had been hesitant beforehand – they were still rather careful around one another – but it managed to break the last remaining tension between them. For that, Roy was grateful.

It made him grin to himself once her attention was diverted at the thought of Riza joking with him. It was a rare occurrence indeed but one which left him overjoyed.

She stuck close to his side after that until they broke camp. And as was only fair, it was Roy’s turn to share a saddle while they rode. Riza had stepped up to offer herself to save poor Lady Catalina from sharing a horse for another day. Roy had welcomed her aboard, so to speak, but now realised the foolishness of his actions and the consequences of his eagerness. Because now the Princess’ back was pressed flushed against his chest as they rode. The pleasant smell, which was wholly her, wrapped around Roy completely. It flooded his nostrils, distracted his mind, and squeezed at his heart.

It was torture.R

Roy’s heart thundered inside his ribcage, and it was as if he couldn’t catch his breath. With every inhale, he inhaled her.

Having Riza so close and being unable to act… The reunion they’d shared had given him hope, but still, it was not the most opportune time. He had no business distracting the Princess. He had to assist her and help her, not get lost in his emotions or inside his head, thinking of his impossible wishes and dreams.

Riza exhaled in front of him and relaxed. She leaned back slightly further into him, using him as support. Her hair brushed against his cheek and all hope was lost.

Roy turned his head towards her in response to her sudden closeness. His nose became caught up in her golden hair and as he inhaled, his eyes fluttered closed. His arms involuntarily squeezed her torso tighter. Even his limbs betrayed him, tucked beneath Riza’s arms so he could grasp the horse’s reins securely.

“Roy?” Her call to him was nothing more than a breath, yet it sounded like a shout inside his head.

He was lost to her, like a siren call. Roy hummed lowly in response to her question.

“Are you all right?”

He blinked once. Twice. Then he realised.

Roy snapped his spine straight and upright, moving his face away from her hair. Riza stiffened in front of him as he created that distance between them. His cheeks burned pink once again as he scolded himself for how forward he was acting.

“Your Highness,” he managed to stutter as he forced it out. “I – I apologise – “

“Don’t.”

He barely heard her. “Excuse me?”

“Please, don’t.”

Roy tilted his head forward to hear her. “Don’t what?” He was almost afraid to ask. He feared what her answer may be.

“Don’t apologise,” Riza whispered.

“Your Highness?” Fresh confusion managed to burn away some of his humiliation.

“I...” She trailed off and took a deep sigh. “It’s nothing.”

Dread started to prickle across his skin uncomfortably. “I apologise, Your Highness, but please, if I have made you uncomfortable, you must let me know – “

“No!” She appeared horrified he would considered such a thing. “No, you did not,” she replied firmly. “Not at all.”

He glanced at her to try and see the side of her face. Of course, the angle they shared while sitting on the horse was not the clearest, but when Riza hesitantly placed one of her hands atop Roy’s gripping the reins understanding slowly dawned on him.

“You did not leave me uncomfortable.” She paused for a moment. “In all honesty, it was the most comfortable I have felt in a long time,” Riza admitted in a whisper, difficult to hear above the hoofbeats of their steed.

Roy could see the tips of her ears had been tinged with pink colour after the admission.

Oh.

Oh.

Riza coughed once to clear her throat and ensured her head remained facing ahead as Roy processed what she’d so boldly proclaimed.

The meaning of her statement was staggering. It left him reeling. His mind tried to make sense of it – as he believed it was simply too good to be true – and he fell silent. His heart though was beginning to race, and excitement was starting to flow through his veins. He was sure he practically vibrated with it and wondered if Riza would be able to notice.

A deep, steadying breath returned Roy to the present. Riza’s presence against him grounded Roy and became an anchor. The warmth replaced his fears from yesterday. It was like a salve against the old wounds which had reopened the previous night when he’d broken down, soothing his fractured and exhausted mind.

Roy glanced down at Riza, knowing her acceptance of him, her kindness, and her affection toward him, had done such a blessed thing.

Such a strong wave of emotion nearly overwhelmed him, and Roy did not fight it. He let the feelings of care, friendship, and dare he say it, a budding love which had been building for quite some time, wash over him without resistance. It left no corner of his being untouched. He felt lighter in an instant.

Roy smiled.

“Well.”

Roy swallowed. For all his teasing and light heartedness beforehand in the safety of the Princess’ court, it was failing him now. He drew upon the strength of the emotions stirring within his chest. He drew upon how relieved and joyous Riza had looked when he caught up with their group yesterday. How she’d fussed over him once they’d made camp and ensured he was all right.

“I cannot have you being uncomfortable now, can I?”

The arms wrapping tighter around her frame were cautious, but firm. He wanted to ensure she’d accept his advances.

When Riza leaned back into him he knew he’d been granted one of his dearest wishes.

To hold her tightly and tenderly.

“No,” Riza replied, and Roy could hear the smile in her voice. She placed her other hand atop his other and gave them both a squeeze. “That would not do at all,” she murmured.

Her head tipped back slightly to rest upon his shoulder, near to his neck, and Riza turned her face inward. They were leading the group so it was unlikely the other two would witness or be aware of the moment of tenderness being shared between them.

Roy had this moment with Riza all to himself.

Roy pressed his cheek against the side of her head. While burning with the desire to press a kiss to her temple, he begrudgingly refrained. Things had not been the smoothest between them in the past few days and he did not wish to push what he already deemed outstanding luck.

Simply holding her was enough for now.

It continued to be the case for the remainder of their travel.

Soon, grasses gave way to darker ground, blackened with volcanic soil. Exposed rock poked up from the ground and their path lost its vibrance as vegetation nearly vanished. In front of them tall peaks rose into the sky and broke through the veil of the swirling clouds. Roy could see a river of lava flowing down one of them towards the valley floor. The sight had caused Riza to gasp. Whether the reaction was positive or negative, he did not know.

They’d arrived.

After another couple of hours they approached the main city of Roy’s kingdom and his former home.

After spending time in the Forest Kingdom, Roy thought his family’s ancestral home looked rather drab and plain. Grey stone made up the walls, the roofing, and the parapets. The only splash of colour came from the red banners which were draped on either side of the portcullis. They hung low and barely moved. There was no breeze to speak of to stir them, and there never had been. The air was nothing but stifling and humid, heated by the environment around it. It was so different from the airy mists of the forest and the morning dew which landed gently upon his skin. There were no sounds of leaves rustling, animals moving through the brush, or birds singing.

It was eerily quiet.

As they rode beneath the entry gate Roy was not aware of his body becoming tauter. With every hoofbeat uncertainty and something akin to dread clawed further up Roy’s throat. He did not know what awaited them upon their arrival.

He was becoming more and more tightly strung the closer he came to facing his father after so long apart. But when Riza squeezed his hands tight and did not relent in the gesture, Roy was startled from his thoughts. He felt his body relax as he took one glance down at her face.

“We’re here,” she murmured with a smile.

Roy nodded and his face softened. “We are,” he agreed, pleased he’d accomplished his task and she’d arrived unharmed.

Soon she’d be returning home with a contingent of soldiers to fight on her behalf. Did Roy hope he was in the midst of them?

After today, yes.

But whether his desires would be listened to and honoured, he could not guess. He liked to think so.

His father would probably be glad to be rid of him again after his unexpected appearance. The excuse for their company’s return journey would certainly be convenient for his father. And Roy would be pleased to leave this place once and for all and put it behind him. It was a somewhat forlorn thought, but he could not deny what his heart desired. No more than he could deny how he wished to ensnare this memory of riding with Riza, holding her so closely to him, and live within it for the rest of his days.

How Roy wished to leave it all. The bad memories, the pain, the abandonment by his last remaining family member, all of it. These walls held nothing but strict regime and baleful glances. Pain and sorrow. It reminded Roy of heartache. It reminded him that he was not his brothers and would never live up to their greatness, as deemed so by their father. It reminded Roy how King Mustang had cast him aside in his grief, his hate, and had never forgiven Roy for something which was ultimately not his fault. He’d never even given the injured, dying Roy a chance to explain himself.

Maes had made his choice. If Roy could have taken his place, he would have. But it had not come to pass.

“Thank you, Roy,” Riza stated sharply and suddenly.

It was enough to entice him from his despairing thoughts. She was always enough to do such a thing, and it appeared she noticed he was suddenly troubled.

“For all of your assistance. For your bravery, your selflessness, and your offer of protection so we could reach here safely.” Riza swallowed and turned her gaze forward toward the approaching castle. “It means more to me than I can ever properly express.”

Roy gave her body a gentle squeeze with his arms, thankful for her interruption. “It is no hardship, Riza,” he whispered into her ear. His lips caressed the outer shell of her ear, and he was not the only one to shiver with such contact. “Far from it. I am honoured to be able to do such a thing for you.”

Her smile, again, brightened up his day. It was filled with gratitude, which her eyes also expressed. It looked as if they’d welled up, but they were not wet with tears. They were dry, her irises rich and vibrant in their caramel colour. Almost sparkling with delight. Roy often likened them to the leaves on the trees in the autumn months. Hailing form such a warm place he had not paid much attention to the changing seasons. There was only really one in his hot, volatile childhood home, after all. But his eyes had been opened when he joined Riza and her family last year. And as he gazed down into her eyes Roy decided, in that moment, it was his favourite colour.

For it would always remind him of her.

Her eyes, her home, and the way she’d welcomed him in warmly without judgement and with nothing but kindness and friendship.

This was another memory he would hold near and dear to his heart.

The heralding of their arrival disrupted their gentle moment. Roy swallowed as he looked up at the castle fast approaching. Anxiety started to burn his stomach at the thought of seeing his father once more. Of the thought of Riza facing him. He only prayed his father would honour what had already been brokered between the two kingdoms. If he didn’t Roy did not know what he would do. Lashing out in anger would do their party no favours, no matter how hard the desire struck him.

They were welcomed within the castle walls. The soldiers remained stoic, faces unchanging, as they rode through. They did not seem bothered one way or another to see their prince had returned.

“Your Highness!”

The young voice pulled Roy out of his thoughts. His head swivelled to look in the person’s direction and felt joy leap within his chest.

“Lord Fuery,” he greeted with a grin, unable to help himself.

“Welcome home,” was the young man’s warm reply.

Curious eyes glanced to his companions, but he did not enquire after them. He greeted Roy with an easy smile and waited for him to offer up his own explanation, never prying, like always.

“Thank you. Allow you to introduce my companions.” Roy turned and gestured behind him to the left. “Lord Havoc and,” he gestured to the right, “Lady Catalina.”

Roy dismounted his horse. He ended up rather pressed up against the Princess’ back as he did so – much to her surprise – and landed gracefully on his feet.

He knew Riza could dismount the horse with no issues. She knew she was proficient in riding and needed no assistance from him, but still, something compelled him to lift his arms to assist her down. She looked down at him with further surprise but could detect a glint in her eye. She was sure it was the same look which resided within his and he offered her an expectant look and a smirk.

Roy caught Riza around the waist while her hands gripped onto his shoulders. Her breath exhaled in a rush as he held her steady around her torso. Once set on her feet Roy noticed a strand of hair had moved across her face in the exertion of the movement. The compulsion to fix it for her moved his hands. They’d twitched by his sides restlessly, so Roy lifted one to brush the hair from her face and tuck it securely behind Riza’s ear.

His fingers caressed the skin of her cheek ever so lightly, ghosting across it. His thumb swiped gently over her cheekbone – just to ensure he caught every last strand, of course – moving so the digit now rested beside her ear, allowing his hand to briefly cradle her face. Roy moved as if in a daze, captivated by the softness of Riza’s skin as well as her eyes. He felt his fingers curl around the elegant column of her neck gently, securing him against her. He resisted the urge to step further into her space, to captivate her as completely as she had him.

But with their audience, he restrained himself.

The expression which morphed Riza’s features made Roy’s heart flutter then settle, softening completely.

It was then he knew he was well and truly gone. He was lost to her in every way.

Roy smiled down at Riza as the rest of the world fell away from them. One of her eyebrows lifted expectantly and he heard her breath hitch. He fared no better as his heart thudded heavily inside his chest.

Lord Fuery made a rather interested sound in a subtle attempt to break Roy from his thoughts. He blinked down at Riza and regrettably had to tear his gaze away from her as he addressed the Lord and remembered his manners.

“And this,” Roy announced, dismissing the embarrassment of forgetting himself for a moment as he truly did not regret a thing, “is Her Royal Highness, Princess Riza Hawkeye of the Forest Kingdom.” He turned to face Lord Fuery as he introduced the Princess. He feared if he lingered any further upon Riza he would lose himself again.

The Lord’s eyes widened a fraction, but he offered a respectful bow in greeting without pause. “Welcome, Princess Riza. Welcome to the Fire Kingdom.”

“This is Lord Fuery,” Roy explained. “He was one of my trusted advisors.” Roy cut himself off before he could say more. Before he could announce anything like “before I was sent to you” or “before I almost died”.

Riza’s appeared to notice, though, and she glanced up at him with concern for a moment.

“A pleasure to meet you, Lord Fuery.” She was the epitome of grace and pleasantries as she curtsied to the young man.

“You must be weary from your travels,” he replied. “Come,” Lord Fuery beckoned, “I will see you to your chambers so you can rest.”

“We came to seek an audience with my father,” Roy announced. He was grateful his voice did not stutter.

Lord Fuery shot him a sympathetic look. “I apologise, Your Highness. He is indisposed at the moment. The news of the invasion has reached us, and he strategizes with his counsel currently.”

Despite it all, hope, of all things, welled inside Roy’s chest. Was it tentative? Perhaps. But it was there and dare he let it fester?

Only time would tell.

“I will inform him of your arrival immediately, though,” Lord Fuery soothed. “Any news and I will come and retrieve you, Your Highness.”

“Thank you, Lord Fuery.”

He beamed at them both. “This way,” he beckoned with his never-ending friendliness and youthful optimism. “I shall see you resting in a soft, warm bed for the evening.”

Roy had watched the young man grow throughout the years, with Roy only being a few years his senior. Over time they’d become close confidants, causing Fuery to be assigned by Roy’s mother to act as a steward for him. They’d become fast friends and Roy had to admit, he’d missed Lord Fuery in the time he’d been away.

“Shall we, Your Highness,” Roy murmured, offering his arm to the Princess.

“Lead the way, My Prince,” Riza smiled up at him. Her hand curled around the crook of his elbow securely as she waited for him to lead on.

Roy inclined his head in acceptance. He gestured for Lord Fuery to show them to their rooms and escorted Riza to their destination.

His anxiety and uncertainty did not return for the time being. Not while Riza gripped onto his arm tightly while they walked.

Chapter 11

Notes:

hhhhh i'm sorry but here's a cheeky wee filler~ chapter for you. it had to be done to progress anyway

i'll be back next time w something more exciting i promise, and hopefully soon! i have a busy week ahead as well as royai week on top of it (everything is written but i'm sure there will be plenty to read!) so i may end up taking a short break to enjoy it all. but we'll see. hopefully such a quick update after the last makes up for the lack of happenings in this one!

hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Riza instantly took a liking to Lord Fuery.

His short, cropped, dark hair stuck spiked up from his head and his bright smile immediately made Riza feel at ease. He was slightly shorter than she and Roy, but only by a few centimetres. Warmth and friendship emanated from his dark eyes, setting them nearly sparkling, while being sheltered behind the round glasses perched upon his nose. He seemed entirely sincere in his concerns for them too which caused Riza’s heart to soften for the young man even further than it already had. There was a very real and true kindness to him, Riza noted. Young in years, he had clearly retained his youthful optimism and outlook on life. And there was no hint of deception within him that she could discern.

Over the years spent attending her father’s court Riza had learned to pick out the Lords and Ladies who worked for the good of the people – Lady Catalina and Lord Havoc both falling into this category – who worked purely for greed, or who blurred the line between both, sometimes to aid in the people’s plight, but also sometimes to defend and contribute to their own success and goals. It had been a lesson her father had assigned to her at the age of only ten. It had been difficult, but young Riza had managed to pick out the deception even then from her childlike viewpoint of the world. And also, the realisation at such a young age that there were such people within the world had dulled her perspective of it. The world around her lost its wonder, its innocence, and was filled with knowledge of scheming adults and brutal court politics.

At age ten, young Riza had less optimism than Lord Fuery had in him now.

Riza had often thought in those lessons she’d learned to grow up too fast.

No matter. It had served her well as a member of the royal family. It was vital knowledge to hold, and the harshness of the adult world was an important lesson to learn, especially for the Princess. To say she’d shaped her father’s court over the years would not be a lie as she assisted in picking out those who’s counsel they would rather be rid of. And yes, there were still the greedy few who were not suited to their post, but balance had to be maintained, her father had taught her, and their greed still benefitted the people of the Forest Kingdom in the end, one way or another. Until that was no longer the case, her father would remove them from their position of power.

Riza left him to it, trusting in his decision while still trying to learn as much as she could about the court and the way it worked.

“How was your journey here, Your Highness” the young Lord Fuery asked, glancing between both Riza and Roy, as they traversed the distance of the castle’s courtyard. “I hope it wasn’t too troublesome for you?”

“We had our fair share of excitement,” Roy replied smoothly, nonplussed, “but nothing too strenuous. It was simply a long journey.”

Lord Fuery nodded enthusiastically in understanding. “Of course,” he replied. “No matter, you shall be secure and relaxed soon enough, Your Highness.”

The main door, as they entered through it, was guarded by two soldiers who did not spare them a glance as they passed by.

Riza subtly appraised the Mustang royal family’s castle as they walked. It had towering stone walls which appeared to loom over them as they walked through the entrance hallway, the ceilings tapering off into a fine point far in the distance above. If Riza wanted to observe the ceiling she would be required to crane her neck all the way back to see it. It went on forever, never ending, reminding her of the surrounding volcanoes and mountains.

The colour scheme of Roy’s childhood home matched the rather drab colour of the sky outside, Riza noted. Bright, blue skies had tried to peek through the grey hanging heavy over the landscape, but to no avail. It appeared the clouds clung relentlessly to the steep crags and cliffs surrounding them, suffocating them, their peaks disappearing into the thick cloud cover. The summit views were buried beneath the rather gloomy splash of colour, but still punctured the insubstantial cover as if in retaliation for trying to obscure them.

It was a sad sight, Riza thought wistfully, but still understood the reasons for it. In her mind Riza knew a volcanic area would have limited foliage and wildlife which could survive within it, but she had not been prepared for how little there had been available. Compared to her home, the sanctuary of her forest castle, it was barren. No birds tweeted, filling the skies with their songs. No wildlife observed passers-by from a safe distance. It was empty. It felt like a void. Everything had fled the wild lands around the main city. Again, understandable – Riza could agree with that. Lingering here made her feel uncomfortable due to their proximity to the active volcanoes, so she would not begrudge any beast from seeking out safer, more thriving ground to live within.

Another thing Riza noted was there were no paintings upon the wall. There were no windows to the outside world. No glimpse of any vista or decoration to speak of. It was such a startling contrast to her own home it made her pause for a brief second in dismay.

Riza quickly banished such thoughts of disappointment from her mind. After all, this was still Roy’s home. She would be respectful and honourable toward it.

A quiet gasp disrupted Riza’s focus from castle surrounding her. Courtiers stared at their small group as they walked by, which Roy appeared to pay no attention to. He kept his head held high as they whispered between themselves behind splayed palms. And it was obvious they were the topic of discussion because the glances their way were endless. Hot heat prickled at the back of Riza’s neck and uncertainty made her stomach clench at such close scrutiny. Not only that, but she also felt rather unkempt and in disarray. However, Riza immediately reasoned that could not be helped. After their days of travelling, camping, and the ambush they’d encountered, they could have walked these halls looking a lot worse.

“I must admit, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery started quietly, “I feared for your safety when the news reached us. I must say I am relieved to see you were unharmed in the invasion.”

Riza tensed at the mention of it, prompting Roy to give the hand resting in the crook of his elbow a squeeze in comfort. She glanced up at him, grateful for his silent support.

“It was terrible,” Roy agreed.

“I am glad to see you escaped, unscathed.”

“More or less.”

Lord Fuery turned a sharp, critical eye towards them both as they walked but asked nothing more.

“We were ambushed by bandits on our way here,” Roy sighed after noticing his close scrutiny.

“Ambushed,” Lord Fuery enquired, outraged. His voice rose in pitch, and he looked rather astonished and affronted someone had attempted such an act towards his prince.

“Yes,” Riza cut in, leaning forward to inject herself into the conversation. “Prince Mustang fought them off. He risked his life to ensure our getaway as well, I might add.” Riza glanced up at Roy, noting the pink hue covering his nose and spreading across his cheeks, cutting close to his eyes. “He risked his life to ensure my safety.”

Lord Fuery cast an admirable glance the prince’s way, which was also filled with respect, as the latter blustered his way through a response.

“Yes, well. It was the least I could do,” Roy finally managed to formulate as his response. “We had to reach here in one piece, after all.”

Riza felt her smile falter for a moment at the dismissal of his actions. At how he stiffened beside her as they walked.

She only hoped that once they’d rested, she and Roy would be able to take a moment to talk. To properly talk and so Riza could fully express her gratitude for his actions toward protecting her while they’d travelled. He didn’t need to do so, not really, and not after their argument, yet he remained steadfast and loyal by her side.

While their conversation on the horse had been enough in their limited privacy, Riza still felt the desire to sit down with him properly to finally clear the air. Even as the memory of it stirred so many emotions within her that the skin of her face now mirrored Roy’s – painted with a dusting of pink colour – it would be worth it to put what was said behind them.

“I would expect nothing less from the prince,” Lord Fuery announced proudly with a pleased grin. “He is the finest swordsman in our kingdom, after all.”

Seeing Roy gain the reverence and appreciation he rightly deserved lifted Riza’s spirits. Her lips quirked up into a thrilled smile.

“Here we are.” Lord Fuery gestured toward a closed wooden door. “This will be where you will be housed during your time here, Your Highness,” he told Riza as he opened the door for her, revealing the room within.

Riza was pleasantly surprised. She did not know what to expect the décor of the guest rooms would look like in the Fire Kingdom’s castle. Given the rest of the castle’s aesthetic she hadn’t held out much hope. This room, however, instantly gave off the feeling of warmth in contrast to the rest of the castle she’d seen so far. A plush, red carpet was soft underfoot and muffled her steps. It was thick and spongy as she walked across it, speaking of comfort. The fire was roaring in the fireplace, easily banishing the chill accrued from the rest of the castle and its bare walls. Speaking of, the walls on either side of the fireplace were draped with red banners which had the Fire Kingdom’s crest emblazoned in the centre of them. They looked thick in material and appeared proficient enough in preventing the invading chill from the poorly insulated walls, while also giving it a bespoke look.

Her rooms consisted of a meeting area as well, complete with a dining space which could accommodate eight people around the wide, oak table. Beyond the partially closed door to Riza’s right, hiding in the darkness, was a bathing room. She could see a freestanding bathtub only just peeking around the edge of the door. Directly across from her, with tall, thin glass windows in mirrored positions on either side, was a large four poster bed. Sheer curtains hung from the posts around it and a golden cord draped down on both sides of the mountain of pillows. Once pulled, Riza was sure the thick ropes would release the curtains to cocoon the slumbering guest within its comfort. The bedding was also decorated in a deep crimson colour, reminiscent of the lava she’s spied crawling down the mountainside prior to their arrival.

And that was another thing! Riza had never dreamed she’d be able to see a lava river in her lifetime. It was a truly fascinating sight which left her only feeling more curious. She wished to see more and learn more about it. She would love for Roy to be her guide throughout it all, helping her and leading Riza through her exploration of where he’d grown up.

“Your companions will be just down the hall, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery explained. “Only the next two doors down on this side of the hallway. Prince Mustang, however, will be residing within the Royal Wing of the castle. Should you wish to speak to him, you need only ask a member of staff to guide you to his rooms. They will take you there without question as you are honorary guests of the crown.”

“Thank you, Lord Fuery,” Riza replied gratefully.

The smile he offered back was filled with friendship and joy.

After their discussion regarding Roy’s home Riza’s imagination had foolishly expected iron bars on the windows and cold, unforgiving accommodation. However, she knew looks could be deceiving – so retained her guard – but it did lighten the weight resting upon her heart to know Roy had a friend here. In the very short time they’d interacted with one another Riza knew Lord Fuery respected and idolised the Prince. She knew he would jump to his defence and his aid if need be, and it eased some of Riza’s worries for Roy.

“Take the afternoon to rest,” he offered. “I will come and collect you when the King is ready to see you.”

“If you need anything, simply call on me, Your Highness,” Roy reiterated with an earnest look in his dark orbs.

The intensity of the emotion held within caused Riza to pause for a moment.

“I will, My Prince. My door will always be open for you as well,” she offered.

The tiniest smile, so small it would be easy to miss, tugged up the corner of his lips. “Thank you, Your Highness,” he replied softly.

“I will show the Lord and Lady to their rooms then will inform the King of your arrival, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery explained, turning toward Roy.

“Of course,” Roy nodded. “Lead on, Lord Fuery.”

Chapter 12

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Roy did not expect Fuery to return and collect him so quickly.

Dread coiled within Roy’s stomach. His smile fell from his face when Fuery looked back at him through the doorway with a solemn look. He almost looked apologetic for the interruption, but everyone knew his father hated to be kept waiting. It wouldn’t do for him to delay the message from reaching Roy.

“It is time?”

Fuery nodded. “The King has summoned you, Your Highness. He awaits you in his study.”

Roy swallowed and blinked at Fuery.

This was it.

He hadn’t seen his father in over a year. Their goodbye had not been heartfelt. It had not been filled with well wishes or promises he’d write to Roy, asking after his wellbeing and what he was doing with his life now. No. Just a sharp command, a scalding reminder of his duty, and a cold glare.

His father’s kingdom of fire and ash could have frozen over, and it still would have been warmer outside than his father’s farewell.

Despite Roy’s years of endurance against it, it had hurt. Now, he was to face him once more.

Roy inhaled and exhaled slowly. Measuring the movement. He would not let himself cower in fear as he had done as a boy. He would not shy away and avoid his father to keep the peace and make his life easier. He would rise to the summons and do the only duty that mattered to him now, serving Princess Riza and assisting her in the fight for her kingdom.

“Thank you, Fuery,” Roy replied smoothly. “I will be along momentarily.”

Fuery bowed his head and left to relay the message to his father.

The young Lord was… aware, to an extent, of Roy’s relationship with his father. A pang of guilt hit Roy as he closed the door to the room of his childhood. He regretted how Fuery had been left here without him as he was assigned to the Forest Kingdom. Roy knew the young man would adore the place, with its bountiful forests filled with wildlife and plants which would boggle his botanist and potion-focussed mind. He wished his friend received the opportunity to see it once in his lifetime. He would mention it to Riza.

The walls were familiar, yet strangers at the same time as Roy walked the halls of his family’s castle. They were boring. Repetitive. The same grey repeated over and over, a never-ending loop of the same dismal colour. Now Roy had had a taste of what was out there in the world, of what his life could be like, he was loath to give it up. The colour, the life, and the laughter he’d revelled in was more than he’d ever experienced here in recent years. It was as if the muted colour forbade any kind of joy from cultivating within its walls. Not only that, but with the Hawkeyes he’d been given a voice, a choice, and respect. He’d been gifted with the opportunity to do things he wished to do. There was no bark of a command. No cold, calculating stares. There was no one to look down upon him and make him feel as though he were worthless. To make him feel unwanted.

The closer Roy travelled to his father’s study, the tighter the fists by his sides became. Roy couldn’t remember when his hands had clenched tightly together to channel his anger during his walk. He was unable to pinpoint the exact moment everything started to well up inside of him, turning into a roaring hurricane of emotion and pain.

Roy had often wondered what it would be like to return here. Riza had pestered him enough about it with the question, which he always managed to avoid or deflect, but in the private moments when he was alone, he must admit he did ponder it. Roy had thought he’d wish to return at least once more. To remember his brothers and his mother and the memories they’d shared here as children, as they were not all bad. He wished to say goodbye to them properly since he’d been denied the chance with his quick relocation back to the Forest Kingdom, still in agony. Now that he was here, the longing to do such a thing only increased. But as soon as that was done he did not desire to linger, as much as the thought of leaving his lost loved ones permanently hurt him. As soon as aid was ready to travel north, Roy would be with them. He’d decided.

He would not be trapped here with his father any longer. He refused.

Roy’s steps faltered and slowed as he finally reached the door of his father’s study. His feet felt like lead as he took the final few steps. With a deep breath Roy knocked on the door and steeled himself, fortifying his mind and preparing himself for the upcoming conversation.

“Come in.”

The sound of his father’s voice made his heart rate spike in a moment of anxiety.

Forcing it down, Roy did as directed and stepped inside the room which held no warmth or happy memories for him.

King Mustang cut an imposing figure. Even sitting behind his desk that was evident with the way he held himself. He was tall, with vibrant, auburn hair slicked back from his face. As a very young boy, Roy remembered looking up the man and marvelled at his height. It had boggled toddler’s mind. He felt like a giant, but he felt safe. Like whatever was to come at Roy would be fended off by his father, allowing Roy to hide and remain protected within the shadow he cast.

As he grew older the shadows grew longer, the darkness deeper. Colder. Intimidation replaced the safety and after their mother’s death his features hardened into obsidian. Never once breaking or cracking.

The King glanced up from his parchment for a heartbeat then returned to his work.

“Roy,” he greeted.

There was no love or affection in his voice. Only business.

“Father,” Roy returned equally as formal.

“You have brought the Princess to our kingdom.”

An unfamiliar feeling – uncertainty – trickled into Roy’s mind. “Yes, I did.”

“Why?” It was not a sharp question, but it could have been.

He still hadn’t looked up from his parchment.

“I was tasked with ensuring her safety, Father. I was doing my duty.”

“So you brought the target of an invasion into our lands?”

Roy frowned and felt his ire begin to spark and grow.

“I brought her and her people to where she would be welcomed and would receive aid. We only travelled here to escape and regroup. When we return to battle for her kingdom –”

The King’s head snapped up from his paperwork. The quick movement startled Roy and arrested his ability to speak.

“Return to their kingdom,” he echoed back to Roy, voice dripping with contempt.

“Yes,” Roy replied. He forced his heart rate to calm and his thoughts to remain calm and level. “To honour the accord you and King Hawkeye struck.”

“Has King Hawkeye fallen?”

A sadness he was not expecting clutched at Roy’s heart. “We believe so.”

“Then it is done.”

Roy blinked at him, not understanding. “Done?”

“Pay attention, boy,” he snapped.

Roy forced his tensed muscles to relax. He was not a young lad any longer and would not allow his father to affect him as he once had.

“Yes, done. There is no need for us to return there if that is the case.”

Understanding started to settle on Roy’s mind but he refused to believe it. He wouldn’t. The King couldn’t be suggesting what Roy thought he was.

“We shall send none of our soldiers to their kingdom.” He nearly laughed at the concept.

“Father…”

Horror almost closed off Roy’s airway.

“If the King has fallen then there is no kingdom for us to defend.” King Mustang’s voice was as cold and calculating as Roy remembered it.

Fury sprang forth inside Roy’s chest, stoking the fire of his heart steadily. He was incised. On Riza’s behalf and on the understanding the man truly was as cruel as Roy thought. “Father, you swore loyalty to the King –”

“Which is null and void if King Hawkeye is dead.”

The King’s sharp eyes pierced Roy’s sharply, glaring at him, telling him to stand down and back off. His decision was absolute, as it always had been. There was no arguing with him, especially from Roy. After “what he’d done to his brother”, Roy had no voice in this castle anymore.

“I will not waste my soldiers on a losing battle.”

Roy’s fists clenched by his sides. His nails dug painfully into his palms as the pressure continued to increase. “So that loyalty, that agreement, does not extend to his heir?”

“No. I made it with King Hawkeye, not the Princess. I will not sacrifice my army to face them once more. If they cannot defend their own lands, that’s on them.”

“So what was the point in sending me there then,” Roy exploded. “Do you really hate me that much?”

“Hate is a strong word, boy,” his father scolded.

“And an accurate one for your feelings towards me, I’m sure. What was the point?”

“To ensure their support if the Orcs ever came our way,” the King revealed, straightening his posture, and rising from the chair behind his desk.

He was no longer hunched over the table, so now he towered over Roy.

The illusion of protection he’d once harboured as a young child was well and truly shattered. It crumbled to dust like the love his father had once held for him. Facing him once more – this time not delirious with pain and heartache – Roy remembered now how terrified of the man he’d been as a child as he’d trained him. His demeanour had been different then, before the loss of Maes, but no less ominous. His royal training was hard and sometimes gruelling for the youngest son. Roy hated to think what it had been like for his older brothers, who were pushed much harder.

“So…” Roy’s mind was struggling to process what the King was saying. “So there was no true agreement with the Forest Kingdom? I was sent there for your own selfish reasons?”

“You were sent there for your kingdom, boy. You were doing your duty, as was I, which is protecting our lands and our people.”

“So it was all a lie?”

“Do not raise your voice to me.” The King’s quiet voice was unearthly as he glared at his last remaining son. His heir. Despite being that, Roy was sure the King would remove him completely if he had the chance and pick another. “I do not need to explain myself to you.”

“Yes, you do, because I was sent off like cattle to live in a kingdom where I almost died. Not that you cared too much about that small snippet of information, I am sure,” Roy ground out as he felt his anger starting to consume him. “I was traded for your own selfish desires. I was no more than a pawn to you.”

The King’s movements were fluid, moving with a prowling, deadly feline grace, as he approached his last remaining son. He came to rest before Roy and peered down at him as if he were nothing more than dirt beneath his boot.

“You will not use such a tone with me again, boy. I will not bend to your whims, and you will understand the accord struck is null and void with King Hawkeye now dead. Do I make myself clear?”

The urge to cower in fear as he had down for years almost overwhelmed Roy. Almost. Roy squared his shoulders and met his father’s stare head on.

Never again would he back down from him. He would not allow the man – this stranger – to hold that power over him any longer.

“I will leave you in peace then, Your Majesty,” Roy mocked as he glared up at his King. “I will no longer bother you and will escort the Princess back to her kingdom. I’m sure my scarcity will be a blessing to you.”

“You will do no such thing. Now the kingdom has fallen you will remain here and return to your duties. You are my last remaining heir,” he spat out like a curse, “and you will return to your post.”

“I refuse.”

The cruel smile on his father’s lips instilled such a deep fear in Roy his rage sputtered and faltered.

His face fell.

“You do not get to refuse. You will return to your role within my kingdom as my heir. There will be no argument from you against this.”

Roy didn’t hear the guards enter his father’s study. He only noticed they were there when they grasped his forearms tightly in their unrelenting grip. No matter how much he twisted his body and fought them off, snarling and cursing his King and the smug satisfaction on his vicious features, he could not escape. Roy was removed from his father’s study.

He was escorted through the castle’s halls, mind numb and trying to make sense of the conversation with his father. Roy knew the man was twisted and could be brutal – he’d experienced it first hand in the treatment of himself after he’d nearly died – but… it was still difficult to believe it.

How had he fallen so far from the man who’d smiled kindly down at him before his mother’s death. How could he blame his last remaining son for the death of his brother? Despite knowing his father disliked him and blamed him… the realisation he was truly despised by the man was a hard pill to swallow. A very hard one. It still caused a deep ache to form in the pit of his chest.

Roy had always suspected it. Today, all he had dreaded, all he had – perhaps foolishly – hoped wouldn’t turn out to be true, had been confirmed.

Additionally, the King was now preventing the Forest Kingdom from receiving aid.

What would happen to Riza, to Lady Catalina and Lord Havoc, now?

Riza

With his heart in his throat Roy opened his mouth to call for her, to try and draw attention from anyone to his struggle, but it was quickly smothered by a hand over his mouth.

The lock turning in the keyhole to his private quarters was like a death bell. The sound rattled through his mind, bringing unwelcome understanding with it.

He was contained within his rooms. A prisoner in his own supposed home.

No matter how hard he pounded on the door they would not listen to him. They would not free him.

Horror clouded Roy’s mind as he stared blankly at his door. While he was panting hard from the exertion he didn’t hear it. There was nothing but the sound of blood roaring in his ears and the feeling of failure and dread overwhelming him.

Notes:

it's 1am and i gave up sleep for this wheeee hope u enjoyed! i certainly did :)

Chapter 13

Notes:

apologies for the long break in updates! life and then a holiday took up most of my time recently but i'll hopefully be back to more frequent updates from now on

hope you enjoy and i hope the extra long chapter makes up for it!

Chapter Text

Riza sat in the plush armchair within her chambers, wringing her hands in her lap, as she awaited collection by Lord Fuery. There was an anxious energy vibrating beneath her skin, preventing her from sitting completely still.

It had been two hours since the young Lord had escorted her to her chambers for the evening, and it felt too long to be sitting idly by. Riza wanted action, she wanted to discuss the terms required to help her people, but no. Riza was left sitting alone, mulling over the plans she would make on the return journey and the requests she’d appeal for during the upcoming audience with the King.

Plans which may or may not include Roy. She still wasn’t completely certain of that factor yet, and Riza didn’t like it. Her stomach clenched at the thought he may not be permitted to come.

Oh, how she desperately wished he could.

Of course, he had his own duties here, but the thought of being parted from him – possibly permanently, now – was not one Riza wished to entertain.

She’d washed and changed into the kindly provided fresh clothing quickly after she’d been left alone. To try and burn off some of the energy she’d tried pacing, but it did not help. With all the thoughts swirling inside of her mind now that they’d finally made it to the Fire Kingdom safely, the quick turns in her movement had sparked vertigo, and she’d been forced to sit to prevent the world from spinning.

Her eyes eventually turned unseeing, losing herself in her mind once more, as Riza perched on the chair situated by the window. Beforehand though, she’d taken in the sight before her. The window overlooked the courtyard and gave her a good view of the comings and goings of the castle, as well as an extensive view of what lay beyond its walls. A city bustled with activity below. Smoke curled and dissipated into the air above many rooftops, coloured terracotta, Riza was pleased to see. At least not everything was grey here. And while she could not see the streets below, there was the distant sound of metal hitting metal, the murmur of conversation, and the sound of children’s laughter.

The latter made her smile.

Beyond civilisation, mountains shrouded them on every side, it seemed, like a ring of fire, apart from the way Riza’s group had entered into the kingdom from her own. They circled around the castle, many miles in the distance, and made Riza wonder if they marked the borders of the kingdom, or if there were more peaks hidden from view in the world beyond the fearsome, jagged mountains. She’d have to ask Roy that one.

Riza’s stomach rumbled loudly and suddenly, disturbing her thoughts. As she pressed a hand to it, she tried to recall the last time they’d ate. Not since that morning. Once the castle had come into view in the distance they’d forged on ahead, and only now did Riza realise they’d forgone their midday meal in honour of reaching safety as quickly as possible. Judging by the position of the sun in the sky it was late afternoon, early evening.

She would not mind waiting longer for food if an audience with the King came first, however Riza did hope and pray the organ would not betray her and loudly announce her lack of sustenance before King Mustang. That would be most humiliating.

Just as she was on her last thread of patience and was considering opening her door to fetch someone to escort her to see Roy, a knock came at the door. Riza composed herself and forced herself to draw the door open slowly. Lord Fuery stood waiting with a warm smile.

“You Highness,” he bowed low with his hand fisted over his heart. After straightening, his fist remained, but Riza could discern something more in his expression. His face, which was still kind and friendly, now appeared strained. Tension was held in his brow and the movement of rising was not all that fluid. The Lord moved stiffly.

Riza’s anxiety returned to her like a small trickle of water, running down a small slope.

“Lord Fuery.”

“How do you fare, Your Highness? I hope your stay here so far has been a comfortable one?” Lord Fuery dropped his fist from his heart, returning his hand to his side.

“Yes, of course,” Riza replied as she tried to reign in her emotions and calm herself. “Thank you for providing fresh clothing as well. It was much appreciated.”

He nodded. “Of course. It was the least we could do for you, Your Highness.”

She shot him a grateful smile. “Thank you.”

The strain appeared to dissolve from his face for a moment and his expression turned relaxed. “You are most welcome.” He straightened his posture. “I have come to collect you, Your Highness. The King is ready to grant you your audience.”

Riza nodded. “We will be collecting Lord Havoc and Lady Rebecca on our way, yes?”

“Yes, Your Highness. He wishes to speak to your entire party.”

As the young Lord led her along the hall Riza felt her shoulders relax. At least she’d have them by her side. As soon as Rebecca exited her room she gave Riza’s elbow a subtle, encouraging squeeze and shot her a smile, which Riza returned. Lord Havoc’s eyes immediately assessed them both to ensure they were all right, before falling into step. He gave Riza a nod of support.

They’d both changed out of their travelling clothes. Rebecca was now wearing something similar to Riza. It was a deep red gown which brushed the floor as they walked. The boatneck neckline rose high to their throats and was embellished with silver. The thread was embroidered to create swirls which travelled downwards and tapered off above the chest of the dress. The sleeves were short, which Riza was thankful for in the heat. They ended at their shoulders, leaving their arms completely bare. Lord Havoc was now clad in brown breeches which clung to his body. His white shirt held ties at the top which he’d left open. Not enough to be improper, but enough to beat the humid heat which pressed in on them in this place. Consequently, it exposed a section of his chest below his neck in a ‘v’ shape. The waistcoat was the same shade of red as theirs, was embroidered with the same thread and patterns, and the shape of it highlighted the exposed skin he had on show. He cut an attractive figure, Riza had to admit. She noticed Lady Rebecca casting him more than one appreciative look as they travelled. Her eyes lingered on certain parts of his body and when Riza shot her a look, she’d only shrugged and grinned in response.

Lord Havoc had looked at Riza questioningly, completely oblivious to the woman enthralled by him, when she’d snorted quietly, thanks to her amusement. Riza coughed and covered it up by engaging Lord Fuery in conversation.

“Are we collecting Prince Mustang on our way as well, Lord Fuery?”

Riza noticed how his shoulders tensed and appeared to bunch at his ears. “No,” he answered softly. “I’m afraid not, Your Highness.” He said nothing more on the matter and did not appear inclined to do so either.

The trio each shared a look of uncertainty. The Lord and Lady had noticed his reaction as well.

They were escorted to the throne room. It had high vaulted ceilings and the grey stone pillars holding it up were embellished with gold. It curled around their entire height, disappearing to finish somewhere in the rafters high above. The same red banners from the castle gates graced these pillars as well, breaking up the monotony somewhat, but not entirely. The carpet which lined the walkway to the kingdom’s thrones also shared the same colour as the banners, breaking up the constant grey.

And at the end of the carpet, on a raised dais of ten steps, sat King Mustang in his throne.

Lord Fuery stopped them a step away from the lowest stair and bowed low, fist over his heart. “My King, announcing Princess Riza Hawkeye of the Forest Kingdom, and her travel companions, Lady Catalina and Lord Havoc.”

“Thank you, Lord Fuery.” The King’s voice rumbled through the room before he stood from his throne, hands moving to clasp together behind his back, and he turned his full attention toward her group.

King Mustang was not how Riza envisioned him. He was incredibly tall, towering over everyone inside the room. His auburn hair was slicked back off his head, the sides shaved and cropped neatly. His grey eyes met hers, the colour reminiscent of cooling molten lava. Fitting, considering where his kingdom lay. Riza remembered the old legend that stated the people in the Fire Kingdom were born from the volcanoes surrounding them. Riza would believe that in a second after setting her eyes upon the King.

“Princess Riza. It is a pleasure to finally make your acquaintance.”

“Likewise, King Mustang.” She curtsied low, as did Rebecca, while Jean bowed. They waited for the King to grant them permission to rise, as was the custom from their home.

“You may rise. You are guests in my castle. Please, if there is anything I can do to assist you, let me know.”

Riza nodded. “Thank you, Your Highness. We have travelled to seek assistance from yourself and your kingdom.”

“Yes, so I have been informed.”

Riza swallowed but kept her composure as his stare appeared to pin her in place. His voice was even and his words were spoken without emotion but there was the hint of… something in his voice which suddenly brought her unease.

Still, she did not let it deter her. Her people were counting on her.

“I have travelled far with my companions, guided by Prince Mustang. He was the utmost help in our journey, Your Highness. I cannot thank him enough for his assistance, and not only during this time of strife, but for the past year he has been with us as well. He has been a valuable companion and friend.”

King Mustang said nothing for a short while before he nodded once in acceptance.

As she waited for his response, Riza surveyed the throne room quickly. The King still remained before his throne, standing above them. The one next to his was empty, the one created for the Queen, Roy’s late mother. Riza briefly wondered if that was where Roy got his looks from, because she couldn’t find much of a resemblance between father and son.

Speaking of Roy, he should have been present at the proceedings, but he was notably absent. As a member of their party and her guard, he could have stood by their sides, or at least on the raised dais next to the throne. As the only remaining heir, he should have been by the King’s side.

But he wasn’t.

“Should we wait for Prince Mustang to join us?” Riza ventured forth with her questioning, wondering where Roy could be.

“Unfortunately, my son will not be joining us this evening,” King Mustang replied smoothly. “He is currently recovering from the injuries he sustained on his trip here.”

Riza stilled.

“They are far more grievous than he assumed and has been admitted to our infirmary to have them treated.”

Her blood turned cold within her veins.

“Is he all right?” Her voice turned weak as worry and concern for Roy overwhelmed her.

He hadn’t appeared to be suffering as they’d travelled. Had he hid it from them? To keep them moving forward and prevent further hinderance in their progress? Would Roy do something like that, Riza mused. Probably. He probably wouldn’t have wanted her to worry… But to hear he was now in such a dire condition… That he’d been suffering. Riza’s heart clenched tightly, and she forced herself to take a deep breath. To breathe through the tightness in her chest.

Rebecca looked as concerned as she did, and Lord Havoc frowned beside her at the King’s revelation.

“May we see him, then? I was not aware of his condition.”

The King levelled her with another silent stare.

“He did not mention it,” Riza added, feeling the urge to retreat back a step under the weight of the King’s gaze. But she didn’t. She held steady and stood her ground even as the hairs on the back of her neck stood up, almost like a warning.

“No,” he dismissed evenly. “He is no longer awake, Princess, and those looking after his care have deemed it best he receives no visitors other than immediate family. For his own recovery, of course.” The King unclasped his hands and brought them around to rest at his front. Still, he did not descend from his dais. He remained looking down upon them. “Now, I believe you came here to seek shelter and assistance from the invasion on your home.”

“Yes,” Riza replied quietly. Her mind was still reeling over Roy.

Was he all right?

And how could the King dismiss it so quickly?

“If you would please allow me to escort you to dinner, Princess, we can discuss it over the evening meal, if you wish? I imagine you will be weary and hungry after travelling all of this way.”

“That would be much appreciated, thank you.”

He tilted his head regally in acceptance of her gratitude. “Lord Fuery?”

The young Lord appeared from the right immediately.

“Please inform the kitchen staff meals are required for our guests, if not done so already.”

“They are already aware, My King, and are preparing them as we speak.”

“Very good,” he praised.

“Come, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery beckoned with a sad look in his eyes. His smile didn’t reach his eyes. Not like it had before. “I will escort you to the dining area.”

Was he aware of Roy’s condition?

Roy had said the young Lord was his steward before he’d left here. Was he still privy to the goings on with the prince, or had that changed in Roy’s absence?

Guilt and worry were a powerful concoction in Riza’s mind as they moved through the castle. How had she not noticed Roy had sustained any further injuries after the bandit attack? He’d mentioned they’d caught him in the shoulder, but nothing more. He’d assured them the blood on his clothing was not his, but had he been entirely truthful? Riza would like to think so, of course, however there was still the possibility he’d hidden it, not out of distrust, but to fulfil his duty and honour her father’s last request. He was the type to do so, she reasoned, so focussed on his task and not letting anything hold him back from completing it.

Oh, Roy…

The meal prepared for them would have tasted delicious, Riza was sure, after travelling on the road for a few days and living off of nothing but wild berries and the small number of provisions which had filled their saddlebags, but it did not. Not to her. Anxiety and worry were preventing her from eating at all and she mostly pushed the food around her plate. The soup was warm, though, and it filled some of the void left within her chest at the mention of Roy’s sudden turn in health. She’d managed to stomach a few bites before giving up entirely.

“Princess Riza, you wish to secure a contingent of my soldiers to escort you back to your kingdom. Is that correct?”

She nodded and tore her gaze away from the half-eaten bowl of soup before her. “Yes, Your Highness. If you wouldn’t mind?”

He nodded slowly. “I can spare a few men to escort you.”

Relief settled on her bones at the good news. However, there was still one burning question within her mind, and which sat on the tip of her tongue, begging to be voiced.

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

He tilted his head in acceptance once more, not offering a verbal response.

“There is one question I must ask you, Your Highness. One request I may make of you.”

“Of course, Princess.”

“Prince Mustang was sent to our kingdom and assumed the role of my personal guard.” Nerves fluttered in her stomach as she geared herself up to wait with bated breath for the King’s answer. “Should we expect his presence on our return journey?”

The sight of the King shaking his head caused Riza to deflate. “I am afraid not, Princess. As I said, he was injured quite seriously on his travels here and will not be fit for travel any time soon.”

“Is it that serious, Your Highness,” Lord Havoc chimed in, disbelief lacing his tone. “Just this morning Prince Mustang appeared fine to me. To all of us.”

The King regarded Lord Havoc silently, expression blank and unchanging.

It was unnerving.

“My son was subjected to poisoning.”

Riza almost dropped her spoon.

“I have been informed it is a slow acting poison. Once it enters the body and bloodstream it takes hours to take effect, giving the culprit a chance to flee before anything befalls the target. It is particularly common among the Forest Kingdom as well, I have been advised.”

His gaze pinned Riza to her chair and she could feel the accusation rolling off of him.

“I can assure you, Your Highness, it was not our doing,” she immediately responded as outrage reared its head and flooded through her veins.

“Rest easy, Princess.” The King straightened his spine and lifted both hands in a placating gesture. “I was not accusing you of such an action. Merely making a statement and informing you of what has transpired,” he dismissed easily as he returned his attention to his soup.

It had certainly felt like he was accusing them of such dastardly actions.

“We were attacked by bandits on the way here,” Riza replied, not trusting his quick change in demeanour one bit. “It must have been them,” she added, before faltering and the burn in her chest and stomach registered.

Roy had sent them all away as they’d fought off the bandits, so none of them truly knew what had happened to him. He’d appeared exhausted once he’d caught back up to the group. Perhaps he truly was injured as badly as his father says.

And Riza hadn’t even noticed.

“I hope now you can understand why my son will not be accompanying you. Of course, once he is back to full health, he will be required to remain here to return to his duties. I am reluctant to send my son back to a battlefield, Princess, and he has informed me he felt the same way about returning to do battle after his last stint there. I hope you can understand that. I do not wish to lose my last remaining heir or member of my family.”

The memory of the scarred flesh on Roy’s abdomen flashed in Riza’s mind. Even though she wished for him to remain by her side, she could understand the hesitancy for him to return to a similar situation as before. Riza could only imagine the horrors. She’d lived it in the castle, running and fearing for her life. It must have been a hundred times worse out in the field. She wouldn’t wish that on anyone, least of all Roy.

If that was his desire, to remain here and not return to the place where he’d been injured and almost died, Riza would respect that. She would not do that to him. After all, she’d told him it was his choice. Not hers.

“I understand completely,” she assured King Mustang, despite the pain it caused her to say so. “May we at least see him before we leave?”

“I can have a group ready to escort you tomorrow morning,” the King replied. “I understand you may be weary, but do you not wish to return and launch an attack to protect your home as soon as possible?”

Lord Havoc shifted across the table and Riza saw his brows tug downwards as he remained silent and continued to eat. Riza had to agree with the sentiment. She did not fully trust the King yet and recognised he seemed rather insistent for them to leave as soon as possible…

“Thank you, Your Highness. That would be much appreciated.”

“I hope you can understand then that my son will not be permitted to receive visitors other than close family before you leave.”

She didn’t want to admit to it, to give permission, but what other choice did she have?

They would not be allowed to see Roy before they left, under any circumstances, that much was clear. It filled Riza with dismay and regret and concern, but she shored up her mind before all the emotions could burst forth and nodded in acceptance.

After all, she had a duty to her people and to her kingdom. She had to go home and help them. Personal preferences came second to her kingdom, always. A bitter thought, especially right now when her heart was torn between doing the right thing and waiting for the man…

The man she’d fallen slowly in love with over the past few months.

“We understand, Your Highness.”

Lord Havoc’s eyes flicked up in shock at her acceptance and he paused, no doubt recognising the helplessness and defeat on her face.

“We wouldn’t want to disturb him.”

He nodded. “Good. Thank you, Princess.”

She may never see Roy again, now.

The thought hurt more than Riza thought it would. She knew why. The feelings lay bubbling beneath the surface but in order to get out of the castle and travel here in one piece, she’d had to bury them again, just like she’d done for months prior.

Besides. The decision was made.

Riza wished she’d gotten the chance to speak to Roy just one last time. To talk, to thank him properly for everything and for helping ease her grief with his easy smiles and laughter upon his time with them in her home. He’d saved her from the darkness inside her mind so many times. Roy deserved the correct recognition for it. One day, perhaps, if she lived through the return journey and the reclaiming of her throne, she’d tell him. He deserved more than the brief gratitude he’d received right before they’d entered the Fire Kingdom’s castle walls.

“It is no hardship, Riza. Far from it. I am honoured to be able to do such a thing for you.”

The memory of the comfort and warmth his words had brought her almost caused tears to spring to her eyes.

“Of course, you are welcome to rest in the rooms assigned to you for the night,” King Mustang offered. “You must be weary from your journey. Come the morning, you can begin your return journey with some of my finest soldiers.”

Riza smiled at him. “That’s very kind of you, Your Highness.”

He snapped his finger at a guard standing to attention by the entrance to the dining room. “Ensure there is a contingent of soldiers ready to escort the Princess back to the Forest Kingdom tomorrow morning.”

He bowed, fist over heart, and left to see to his task.

The room fell quiet after that. The King returned to his soup, collecting the last pieces of the broth with a piece of bread, appearing nonplussed at the sombre mood which had fallen over his three guests. By her side and across from Riza, Rebecca and Lord Havoc remained silent and subdued.

But the silence did not last for long. The loud bang of a door hitting against a wall caused Riza to jump in her seat. She almost dropped her spoon and spilled soup over the pristine, white tablecloth. It appeared Rebecca was no better, as she startled beside her as well. Lord Havoc’s hand froze on its way to his mouth as he gaped at the door.

“Where is my nephew, then?”

The King sighed. He slowly placed his spoon down on the table and dabbed at his mouth with a napkin as a woman approached the table.

While she was not a tall woman, her presence seemed to take up the whole room. And while that was similar to the King, hers did not scream intimidation or power. No, the woman oozed confidence, and something told Riza she was not the type to take nonsense from anyone.

She wore a maroon coat which was left open at the front. Thick fur lined the collar, which was surprising given the heat the rest of them were currently experiencing, and white pearls accompanied the look around her neck. Beneath the coat she wore a purple dress which fell to about mid-shin and wore heels in a matching colour. Her dark hair was piled high into a ponytail on her head. The long, curled strands tumbled down the left side of her head and came to rest above the neckline of her dress. As she approached their table the smell of strong perfume preceded her.

“Chris,” the King greeted smoothly, but Riza could discern the tightening of his eyes and mouth. He was not pleased at the interruption. “How nice of you to join us for dinner.”

The woman snorted and walked to the empty chair beside Lord Havoc.

“Well?” She lifted an eyebrow as she awaited the answer to her question.

The King sighed again. “He is resting, Chris, in the infirmary. He was injured on his way here by escorting Princess Riza and her group.” He gestured to the three of them for emphasis.

Chris’ lips tightened at the news. Riza half expected her to throw an accusing look her way, but it never came.

“Princess Riza?” She turned her attentive gaze towards Riza, and she was half tempted to respond with a “yes, ma’am”.

She nodded. “It is a pleasure to meet you, My Lady.”

A slow smirk appeared on Chris’ face. “The Princess Riza…” She hummed to herself in thought then waved her hand at Riza. “Please, none of ‘My Lady’ this and ‘My Lady’ that. I’m Chris Mustang, sister to this one,” she jerked a thumb in the King’s direction, much to his distaste, “and Roy’s aunt. I’ve heard a lot about you, Princess.”

“You have?” That confused Riza. How could she possibly have –?

“Oh yes,” Chris continued. “My Roy has told me a lot about you in his letters.”

The King looked at Chris sharply.

“Letters?”

Chris nodded. “He wrote to me often about the goings on of your kingdom, Princess.”

Lord Havoc stiffened by her side, to which she waved her hand in dismissal.

“Not like that. No deep, dark secrets about our friends in the north were shared with me. No, Roy liked to talk about how he was faring and how the Princess was keeping him on his toes.”

Riza felt her eyebrows shoot up her forehead at that.

He’d written to his aunt about her…

“He… did that?”

Chris nodded and looked at her knowingly. “He did indeed. Quite often, too.”

“To what do we owe the pleasure of your arrival, Chris?” The King interrupted their conversation with a pointed look at his sister.

“I heard Roy was back home, finally. I’ve come to see him.”

“As I said, he is indisposed and not taking any visitors at the moment.”

“If he is injured then he needs someone to watch over him,” Chris argued. “I can do that just fine while you continue to run your kingdom.” She almost snapped at the King and Riza was momentarily taken aback by the sharpness of her tone.

But it was an intriguing interaction. Very much so.

The King said nothing, but his not-so-subtle glare spoke volumes.

“Very well,” he replied calmly, appearing to reign himself back in. He dabbed at his mouth with his napkin and stood tall from his chair. “Princess, it was a pleasure to speak with you on such matters. Lord Fuery will escort your group back to your chambers once you are finished eating. Chris, if you would please accompany me, I will update you on my son’s condition.”

Without another word he left the table, expecting Chris to follow.

Riza watched as Chris narrowed her eyes at the King’s retreating back.

“Come and see me before you leave, Princess,” she announced lowly, quiet enough so the King couldn’t hear. “I wish to speak to you before you travel back home.”

Without waiting for a reply she stood and followed after the King.

The three left at the table all shared a look, each as baffled and confused about what had just transpired than the other.

“Come to my rooms after you have freshened up after dinner,” Riza announced quietly so only they could hear. “We have much to discuss.”

“We certainly do, Your Highness,” Lord Havoc mused as he turned to shoot a look at the door Chris and the King had exited through.

Rebecca squeezed her elbow in comfort. “I am sure everything is fine with Prince Mustang, My Lady.” The smile she offered faltered and fell flat. Even she looked worried about the news they’d received. “He truly was all right only a few hours ago. Perhaps they are simply worried and are taking extra precautions?”

Riza wouldn’t fault the King for that but there was something about the King which told Riza there was more to what he was saying than met the eye. Accompany that with Roy’s attitude towards his home and his father, in the small moments he’d revealed it, Riza felt there was something she was missing. Something wasn’t adding up. Especially with how Chris had snapped at the King about him running the kingdom instead of watching over his son like any father would. Like her father surely would if she were in such a dire condition.

Chris had informed them to meet her before they left in the morning. Riza knew deep in her gut she needed to keep that appointment, no matter what.

Chapter Text

How did this happen?

How did his father slip down this path? End up taking such drastic measures as imprisoning his own son within his home, just to ensure his own goals were met and his people and kingdom were protected?

Roy’s stomach tightened uncomfortably as he continued to mull over what had transpired earlier. He’d lost count of how many times it had happened since he’d lowered his body into the chair on shaking limbs.

Was it a culmination of all the grief his father had faced over the years? Had it built to such an unbearable point that he now despised his last remaining son so much he cast him aside completely without any further thought? But, to what end? There was no clear purpose for such a path and it was a constant wonder to Roy how such a course of action served him and the kingdom’s best interests.

Roy swallowed thickly at the thought of how the King may finally rid himself of his disappointment of a son.

Would he exile me?

Kill me?

The saddest part was, Roy truly didn’t know anymore.

He didn’t like to think his father would go to such an extreme, do something as severe as that, but he also wouldn’t have thought his father would completely deny Riza’s request for help on behalf of the Forest Kingdom. Yet, he had.

Roy pinched the bridge of his nose and rubbed at tired eyes, willing away the pain thumping inside his skull with every beat of his heart. His fingers dropped to rub his sternum absently as he stared bleakly at the floor before him to try and shift the ache in there too.

How did this happen…

It was a question which had not left him be for hours. He’d yet to come to a conclusion.

Pacing had been for nought. It had not been as productive as Roy had hoped it would be. The restless energy buzzing beneath his skin was soothed somewhat with action, but not enough. Not while caged in these rooms. All the endeavour had resulted in was his hair in disarray, some strands standing on end, after he’d run his hands through it so many times while he calculated his odds and weighed his options.

Hunger faded and disappeared as the evening stretched on. Exhaustion became a close companion, but his mind was still too wired to even think about sleeping. He was still reeling from his current predicament while anxiety and anger were relentless, gnawing at the frayed edges of his mind and his heart.

Riza

What was he going to do? What could he even do?

Would she be all right? Was she all right, just now?

The sound of a key unlocking the door to his rooms sent Roy immediately springing to his feet. The chair behind him wobbled with such an enthusiastic exit but did remain on four legs in the end. His heart became lodged in his throat, blood roared in his ears, as he awaited his visitor to reveal themselves.

When Lord Fuery slipped through the door like a wraith and silently closed it behind him Roy felt his knees shake with relief.

He almost fell back into said chair.

The young Lord hurried inside and turned his frantic, worried eyes upon his prince. “Your Highness! I came as soon as I could.”

“Lord Fuery? What has happened? What is it?”

His mind instantly jumped to Riza.

What had his father done?

Roy’s hands formed fists by his side without him realising it.

But Lord Fuery shook his head. “Nothing has happened, Your Highness. All is well.” Then, he grimaced. “As well as it could be, at any rate.” He returned his focus to Roy. “I meant I came to see you as soon as I could after your father’s banishment. I was tasked with seeing the Princess to her audience with your father and remaining with them throughout dinner,” he revealed. Lord Fuery’s voice remained low as he spoke, as if afraid someone would be listening in.

Roy paled. “And?”

“The King has granted permission for a contingent of soldiers to travel with the Princess and her companions to escort them back to the Forest Kingdom.”

Roy opened his mouth to speak but paused in confusion. “He did?”

He’d told Roy that would not be happening. That he wouldn’t waste any of his men.

And the memory of it sent a resurgence of anger through his blood.

Lord Fuery nodded. “Yes. He is sending an escort with them,” he repeated urgently, emphasising the meaning of the words spoken. “Not an army for battle, but a group to accompany them in their return.”

“He explained all of this to the Princess?”

Lord Fuery shook his head sadly. “I do not think she fully grasped his meaning or suspects any hidden motives.”

Roy nearly growled with frustration and his ire.

“I apologise, Your Highness.” Lord Fuery bowed low with shame. “I wished to interject and ask him to elaborate but –”

Anger simmered and lowered to embers as he took in the young man before him. His friend. Roy softened his voice to reassure him, “no, Lord Fuery. It’s all right. I know you would have, given the opportunity.”

Hopeful eyes lifted to meet Roy’s.

“It was wise not to challenge my father outright in front of Princess Riza. He would not have taken kindly to it, and I fear you would have suffered for your attempted good deed. You did the right thing.”

A ghost of a smile tugged at Roy’s lips as he watched relief flood the young man.

He was such a good soul. Roy had known that already. Young in years but eager and determined to help those who needed it and to assist his friends along with those he was loyal to. Roy especially.

They’d never talked on such things – being overhead would not have boded well for either of them – but Roy knew Lord Fuery’s loyalties lay with him and not his father. He’d alluded to it often enough. The young man was a saving grace after Maes’ death and Roy’s return home. A constant support and reminder that Roy was truly not alone.

“My father has been known to share only half truths,” Roy murmured to himself, as if absent in thought. “To twist and bend it if the need should arise in order to suit his own purpose.”

“I know,” Lord Fuery replied grimly.

In the years they’d been companions, Roy didn’t think Lord Fuery had truly grasped his father’s character or the roles he was eager to play when it benefited him most. Perhaps this past year had opened the young man’s eyes to it all.

“He said those exact words to the Princess?”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

A hand was shoved into Roy’s hair and he gripped onto the strands tightly. “I agree, it is likely she does not suspect his motives. He expressed to me his clear displeasure of sending soldiers with her back to her kingdom. He was resolutely against the idea. Why even offer it at all?”

“Your Highness…” Lord Fuery glanced aside, and Roy could see him trying not to bite his lip as the uncertainty rolled off him like a wave.

“Speak freely, Lord Fuery. Hold nothing back,” he encouraged, “you know that.”

“I do not wish to entertain such an idea, but I cannot deny what my instincts are telling me.” Lord Fuery took a deep breath. “He extended the offer of an escort. It is my belief they will only offer support Princess Riza until their group either reaches the castle or the perimeter of their lands before turning against them and returning. If he has expressed no interest in doing so to yourself then…”

Roy nodded. “He will subvert the truth and appear honourable. But it will only last until my father’s soldiers abandon them… What is his plan for after that, I wonder…?” Roy trailed off as his mind raced to try and piece together what his father’s plan could possibly be with all of this.

“Your Highness, I do not wish to leave you here alone without my support, but may I suggest fighting for a spot for myself on the Princess’ escort back to the Forest Kingdom? I would not abandon her.” He frowned. “I would not abandon our friends in the north in their time of need.”

Roy glanced over at the young Lord.

“I would escort them myself alone if I were granted the chance,” he added firmly while determination lit up his eyes. “And would protect the Princess’ life with my own.”

“I could not ask that of you, Fuery,” Roy replied gently.

“It is my offer to extend,” he replied simply. “And I give it freely.”

Still, a grateful smile spread across Roy’s face. For the first time that evening the tightness in his chest had loosened somewhat.

“I truly do not know what I would do without you, Lord Fuery.”

“Oh, you would be just fine, Your Highness. Of that I am sure,” he quipped with a pleased grin. “You lasted this previous year without incident, did you not?”

Roy snorted lightly in amusement. “But are you sure? I would not expect this of you and would not hold it against you if you did not wish it.”

“I am positive, Your Highness.” Resolve rang true in his voice.

Relief was moving fast throughout Roy’s limbs. It was not ideal, and it did not feel right for him to pass his burden’s onto Lord Fuery’s shoulders, however he could not leave Riza to face this alone. It caused Roy’s heart to ache at the prospect that he would not be freed from here in time to reach her and assist her. It was a crushing, restricting weight upon his chest that buried his heart beneath such a strong pressure it threatened to leave him breathless.

Roy hated every second of this. He hated his father even more for subjecting him to it.

If he chose to escape now there was no telling what may happen. As much as Roy wished to encourage Lord Fuery into handing over the key to him and giving him the option to flee, he would not risk it. Not so soon and especially not if it had the chance to implicate his old friend in any way.

He’d bide his time. Bide it and plan for a way to deal with his father.

“All right,” Roy agreed grimly. “I do not desire to drag you into this family’s issues anymore, Lord Fuery, but I do appreciate your offer and your continuous aid.”

“Of course, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery bowed. “As I said, I am happy to do so for you and Princess Riza. I only hope it will bring you some peace of mind in the short term.”

“It will. Thank you.”

“Your aunt arrived this evening as well, Your Highness.”

Roy stilled.

Hope started to rekindle in his chest.

“She did?”

Lord Fuery nodded. “She was asking after you. Everyone – Princess Riza included – has been fed the lie you are in the infirmary with grave injuries.”

Roy’s stomach tightened while hot anger flushed through him at more of his father’s lies. Then sorrow bled through at the thought of Riza fretting over him.

“I do not imagine the ruse will last long. Probably only until the Princess leaves in the morning.”

The information about his aunt was shelved for the moment. Roy glanced back him sharply. “She leaves tomorrow?”

Lord Fuery nodded. “Just after first light. The King was most insistent.”

Eyelids fluttered closed and Roy pinched the bridge of his nose. “All right.” He had no time before they left. He’d just have to catch up with Riza while she was on the road. “Come tomorrow morning you have to ensure you are within that group,” Roy told Lord Fuery urgently. “They must have support with them when they return.”

The Lord’s eyes jumped down to Roy’s abdomen where his wound tingled with the reminder of being unprepared upon arrival during the last Orc invasion.

“Yes,” Roy confirmed and swallowed down the bile at the thought of Riza facing off against Orcs as he had. Without his support, his presence, and without only the three of them in her group. “That’s why.”

She could not face them alone.

“I will protect Princess Riza at all costs,” Lord Fuery announced with steely determination.

“Do not do anything foolish, Fuery,” Roy urged, suddenly desperate and worried about his enthusiasm. “Keep yourself safe.”

“I will, Your Highness. You know me,” he quipped with an easy grin.

Roy did know him. And he was always careful. Always planning and executing them flawlessly. However the Orcs were not to be trifled with, especially in such low numbers.

“Please do not inform the Princess of my true situation either. I fear she may worry and delay her return home.”

“As you wish.”

“I will meet up with the group as soon as I am able.”

“You stay safe too, Your Highness. Please.” He bowed low and turned to take his leave.

“Lord Fuery?” Roy called to his retreating back as he approached the door.

“Yes, Your Highness?”

“I apologise you had to stay behind while I left a year ago. I would not have left you here alone if I could have.”

Lord Fuery shot him a smile which held no sadness or disdain, only understanding. “It is all right, Your Highness. My family ended up remaining within the kingdom after the first invasion. They did not wish to travel while the situation to the north of us was so uncertain and volatile, so I was not alone.”

“They all would have loved the Forest Kingdom, I am certain. You included.”

Lord Fuery smiled. “Then it is something for us to look forward to. Plus,” he softened his expression, “it was better for you to leave in the end. I am glad you got that escape, Your Highness.”

The door closed silently behind him, leaving Roy alone once more in his chambers.

Still trapped, hope and relief had loosened his posture and brought some peace to his mind.

His old friend was on his side and was willing to step in where he could not. As much as it pained Roy to pass the burden on, the offer was much appreciated and eased his fears somewhat. Lord Fuery was a more than capable and trustworthy soldier and would be a welcome addition to their party. On top of that, with his aunt here now Roy’s options had the potential to open up completely. She was a staunch supporter of his and was always in Roy’s corner. She’d get him free of this place and his father’s influence, Roy was sure of it, so he could catch up with Riza and assist her with reclaiming her kingdom.

He just had to bide his time for the evening. Be patient for a short while longer. No matter how much it pained him to do so.

Chapter Text

The castle courtyard was currently a hive of activity as castle staff readied the horses for Riza’s trip home. Saddlebags were currently being filled with provisions and water skins. Horses which were to be bereft of riders brought up the rear of their group and were laden with tents and blanket rolls. The soldiers each checked their tack and chatted amongst themselves yet kept their distance from Riza’s group. However, they did shoot her smiles and offered a murmured “Princess,” in greeting along with a bow of their heads. As she scanned her surroundings one final time Riza found herself grateful so many people had been rallied to help provide her with assistance.

“Lord Fuery?” Riza felt such a strong surge of elation upon spotting a friendly face amongst a sea of unknown Fire Kingdom soldiers.

The young Lord shot her a grin, his eyes sparkling in the early morning light, as he approached her group and her horse. “Good morning, Princess Riza. How do you fare on this day?”

“I am well,” she nodded in thanks. “How is Prince Mustang this morning? Have you heard any news?”

Lord Fuery shook his head. His smile faltered momentarily and Riza’s hopes were dashed along with it. “None, Your Highness. There has been no update on his condition,” he added, sounding rather forlorn.

Riza nodded and swallowed down her worry and fear for him.

Remember your duty to your people.

Unable to be dismissed completely – Riza didn’t think she’d ever be able to do such a thing when it came to Roy – she shelved her concern for him for the moment.

“Will you be travelling with us,” Riza enquired, trying to divert her attention away from her swirling thoughts regarding the prince.

Lord Fuery nodded. “I will be, Your Highness, yes. If that is all right with yourselves?” He cast his eyes around her small party.

“Yes, of course,” she reassured immediately.

Even after the short time they’d spent together Riza’s instincts were telling her he was a trustworthy and loyal one. Plus, he was a close confidant of Roy. If Roy trusted him, Riza could easily extend the same courtesy to him as well and give him a chance.

“You are more than welcome to travel with us if you’d like. The more hands the better, I should think.”

There was a tiny flash of strain in Lord Fuery’s expression, but it quickly disappeared. “I am inclined to agree with you, Your Highness,” he recovered smoothly. “Are you all set?”

Riza turned to look at Rebecca and Lord Havoc, who nodded in agreement.

They were ready.

Riza exhaled and confirmed it for the young Lord. Anticipation and dread roiled within her stomach at the prospect of her return home. Of discovering what awaited her and the state her beloved kingdom and home had fallen into –

Lord Fuery opened his mouth to speak but they were interrupted by a welcoming shout from across the courtyard, towards the main gate. Raucous laughter distracted them for a moment. An uncommon sound to hear so early in the morning, however Riza could not fault the soldiers nearby for such a racket. Anything was preferable to the uncertainty which had settled upon their small group’s shoulders since awaking that morning and was refusing to shift.

Riza turned to catch a glance of their merriment, pleased someone was as carefree as she wished to be, then paused. Riza’s lips parted slightly because her eyes landed on one person in particular she did not expect to see.

Lord Archer.

“Lord Archer?” She blinked at the man across the courtyard. He was entering through the castle gates with a horse’s reins grasped in his hands. The way he spoke to those around him was easy and spoke of familiarity.

Riza couldn’t help but wonder how he was so familiar with soldiers from the Fire Kingdom.

When his eyes settled upon hers he froze. His horse almost walked into the back of him and his face paled.

Riza’s feet were moving before she realised it. They carried her right over to him.

If he’d escaped then there was hope for others. There was a chance her people had survived the attack and had made it out of the kingdom.

“Princess Riza,” he greeted, bowing lowly without pausing his movements, as was customary with Riza’s people. As he’d done so in the past. “I had heard rumours of your disappearance,” he revealed. Lord Archer cast a look over her shoulder to regard Lord Havoc – his eyes narrowing slightly – and then Lady Rebecca.

It was no secret he and Lord Havoc did not get along.

“I am relieved to see you are well and unharmed.”

“Yes, we were assisted and managed to make our way here to seek shelter and help unscathed. Have you come across any other of our people on your travels?”

His expression sobered and hardened slightly. “No.”

There was a brief pause as Lord Archer didn’t deign to say anything more on the matter and as Riza awaited hearing any further news at all. Something to give her hope for her people.

But he did not grant her even that.

“No one?”

The Lord shook his head. “None.”

Her hope faltered but didn’t dwindle completely.

Riza liked to believe there was a chance they’d fled safely.

She had to believe it.

“How did you manage to make it here, Lord Archer,” Lord Havoc enquired. His voice was hard, and his brow furrowed.

“I found a horse wandering, likely set free in the panic, and rode here. I was lucky to escape with my life,” he replied smoothly.

“Archer!”

His head turned to the source of the call. A solider from the entrance to the castle was beckoning him. In response he gave the man a quick wave and a nod.

“Excuse me.” He dismissed them with a quick smile which fell off his face before he’d even fully turned away from them. Without another word he stalked towards the castle entrance, leaving Riza to stare after him.

“Well.” Riza was left stumped by the interaction.

“Your Highness, we must get ready to leave,” Lord Fuery encouraged from behind her.

Riza hadn’t even realised he’d followed behind them.

“Right. Of course. Sorry.”

He shook his head and smiled kindly. “No apology necessary.”

On the walk back to the horses Lord Havoc and Rebecca walked tighter to her. They each flanked Riza like two personal bodyguards, their heads swivelling as they took in the people surrounding them and evaluating the threat.

“My Lady, I do not think Lord Archer is being entirely truthful,” Rebecca whispered after a short pause.

“I strongly agree,” Lord Havoc added. “Something is going here – first with the King yesterday and now with Lord Archer. There is something they are not telling us.” He practically growled in frustration. “I do not like it.”

“I know,” Riza replied softly.

She paused and showed a friendly smile to the soldiers marching towards them and nodded in greeting, halting their discussion for now. They inclined their heads in the appropriate deference and continued on their way to their stations.

“I agree with you both,” she murmured so only they would hear. “I don’t like it either.”

“What should we do?”

“Roy’s aunt told me yesterday to seek her out this morning, but I have no idea where she is being housed.” She looked up at the looming castle walls. “I fear we may be too late now, at any rate. That the window of opportunity has now passed.”

“Your Highness, if I may?”

Riza halted in her movements and turned to face Lord Fuery. Again, he was not where she expected him. Somehow he’d ended up behind their small group and Riza was sure had heard everything which had transpired between them.

Lord Fuery gestured towards the stables just a short distance from their current position. “Speaking within will grant us some more privacy,” he explained in a low voice and with a tight smile.

She weighed his words and his demeanour, ultimately deeming it to be the best course of action. He looked as though he had something important to tell them. And if he’d overheard their hushed conversation it may be something pertaining to Roy or his aunt. For that, Riza was willing to hear him out and grant him the opportunity.

“Lead the way, Lord Fuery.”

He’d surprised Riza again with his rise to authority. He’d easily dismissed the young stable hand and granted him a break as they prepared to converse. The young boy looked exhausted due to being awake at such an early hour and did not need to be told twice to make himself scarce, especially now with a few gold pieces lining his pockets.

Once withing the confines of the stables and alone, Lord Fuery spun to face them. “Your Highness, the Duchess still wishes to meet with you. I can escort you to her now, if you wish,” Lord Fuery revealed, launching into his explanation, wasting no time.

“The Duchess?”

Lord Fuery nodded. “Roy’s aunt. The woman you met yesterday. It will take only a moment of your time, I’ve been assured, and she was most insistent.”

Riza arched an eyebrow. “She was?”

“Under no circumstance was I to allow you leave without meeting with her beforehand.”

Riza could practically feel Lord Havoc bristling beside her with such a declaration. She caught his hand moving to the pommel of his sword at the threat of restraint.

“Is that so?”

Lord Fuery nodded. His kindness and friendly expression had fled him, leaving only seriousness and determination, mixed with a rather grave looking set of eyes. “It is, Your Highness. And I find I must insist upon it also,” he added. “It is imperative you do so, I feel.”

Riza paused. “Does this have anything to do with the prince?”

Lord Fuery swallowed and cast his gaze away from hers briefly, practically giving himself and the answer away. “Please, Your Highness,” he pleaded. “It is of the utmost importance.”

She looked to her companions. Rebecca shrugged helplessly, but Riza knew she’d be on her guard and would support whatever decision Riza made. Lord Havoc still appeared sceptical, but no one could deny the sincerity in the young Lord’s tone.

“All right,” Riza granted.

Once more they traversed the halls of the castle. They were not escorted up the main stairs, nor did they travel as far as the guest quarters as they had done so the day prior. Lord Fuery led them through a doorway which led to a thin corridor, only wide enough for them to walk in single file. He led the way with Lord Havoc behind him.

Riza had made to follow behind the young Lord but a hand on her forearm halted her. Wordlessly, Lord Havoc stepped in front of her and took the lead. Rebecca now brought up the rear of their group.

At the other end Riza discovered the room opened up into a medical setting.

Was this the infirmary?

Immediately her eyes glanced around the room to seek out the person she wanted to see most. It was not pleasant, and she feared she truly would see Roy in such a dire state, but Roy was nowhere about. In fact, every bed was empty and there were no staff in the vicinity.

“He’s not here, Princess.”

Riza spun on her heel to see Chris Mustang approach from a doorway at the far end of the room.

“He never was.”

She swallowed and willed her frantic beating heart – filled with relief and now, even more questions – to slow and calm itself after its fright. “Excuse me?”

“My brother lied to you. He lied to us all. Roy has not been recovering here with grievous injuries.”

The relief Riza felt was immense, but short lived.

If he wasn’t here, then where the hell was he?

Lord Fuery grimaced but remained silent, staring straight ahead at no one in particular with his hands clasped behind his back. It seemed he was content to let Roy’s aunt do all the talking from now on.

“Thank you for bringing them here, Fuery.” Chris was sincere in her gratitude and offered the young Lord a nod of thanks, which he returned.

“Of course, My Lady.”

“Now.” Chris easily lowered herself into a chair by a vacant bedside and made herself comfortable. “Down to business.”

“And what business might that be?” Lord Havoc’s hand still hadn’t strayed from the hilt of his sword.

“Easy, young Lord. We are simply here to talk. As I said, you were lied to. My nephew is not lying in a bed here, injured. As far as I can gather, he is all right.”

“Thank you for telling me.” Riza was sincere and honest as she spoke. She was grateful for the reprieve in her worry and the settling of her fears.

“Where is he?” Curiosity laced Rebecca’s tone as she moved to stand by Riza’s side.

“That is something I am still trying to determine, although my guess is he is still in the castle.” Chris’ eyes flashed with a dangerous look. “I will find out where though.”

In that moment Riza instantly knew she would never want to get on the receiving end of this woman’s ire. A raging inferno had lit within her eyes at the news her nephew was being hidden away from them, kept separate, and Riza believed wholeheartedly she had the capacity and tenacity to find out why and where he was being kept.

If anyone could stand up to the immense figure of the King, it would be this woman before her.

Lord Fuery shifted by her side. For a moment, as he dropped his gaze to the floor he looked uncomfortable, but whatever it was, whatever emotions had sparked such a reaction, it was replaced with a similar determination as Chris. He nodded in agreement with the Duchess.

“In the meantime, we shall see to you returning home to your kingdom, Princess.”

“You wish to help us?”

Chris nodded. “Our friends in the north need our support. I have no desire to let that relationship wither, unlike my brother.”

Riza frowned. “Excuse me?”

Lord Fuery stilled next to Chris and cast her a searching look.

“He extended an offer of an escort back to your kingdom, didn’t he?”

Riza nodded. “Yes, he did.”

“And that is exactly what he planned it to be. An escort only.”

The reality settled upon Riza’s bones.

“Protection to the border and that was it.”

Confusion and anger set in.

“He struck a deal with my father. They were allies,” she murmured. “Why would this change?”

Chris shrugged. “I do not pretend to know how my brother’s mind works. What I do know, however, is it has turned spiteful and hate-filled after the losses he has suffered over the years.” A weariness overcame Chris for a moment, tugging her shoulders so they rounded forward. “We all felt the loss of my other two nephews and my sister-in-law. The entire kingdom grieved for the royal family. They were beloved among the people and my brother was not always this way. His loss and grief have twisted him, Princess, and despite everything, I have tried to pull him back from it, but he is stubborn.” Chris inhaled slowly, then let it all out. “Still, I cannot stand aside any longer and let his treatment of my family continue. I did so once, when I had very little power and influence, however now, things are different. I would help Roy and along with it, the Kingdom, Princess. Yours as well. We all need allies. He knows this, especially after this most recent invasion and the one which occurred a year past, but my brother’s actions are not reflecting that.”

“How do we know we can trust you?” Lord Havoc’s careful question stirred Riza from her thoughts and the Duchess’ words.

“You do not,” she replied simply without batting an eyelid. “And I applaud you for being careful, Lord Havoc. As you should. I will offer you this, though. I was the one to give the final push for my Roy to travel to your kingdom in the first place. He needed an escape, an opportunity to heal, away from his father’s poor treatment and the painful memories this place has stirred, so I grasped the opportunity presented to us and insisted upon it. His father was more than happy to go through with it.” Her eyes tightened with her blatant distaste at that.

Lord Havoc narrowed his eyes at Chris as he assessed her, still distrusting for Riza’s sake, while the latter simply blinked at Chris.

She was the one who’d suggested Roy come to them?

“It’s true, Your Highness,” Lord Fuery interjected quietly. His eyes implored her to understand. “I bore witness to the conversation and can vouch for the Duchess.”

Riza exhaled slowly. “All right. So, how do we find and free the prince?”

We do nothing,” Chris replied which caused a frown to immediately appear on Riza’s face. “No, you return to your kingdom, Princess, and let us do our own work here.”

When she opened her mouth to protest, it was Lord Fuery who cut in this time.

“Please, Your Highness. We know how this court and its King operates, and would be better suited to working around it.”

“So you will not be travelling with us?”

“No, Lord Fuery will be assisting you,” Chris replied. “The accompanying soldiers which were picked out for you initially were…” her face twisted in distaste, “poor,” she finished bluntly. “And were only going to fulfil half of the bargain promised to you. Instead of an escort, you now have a contingent of soldiers willing to fight for you and your Kingdom, organised by myself.”

The despair and uncertainty which had not left Riza be since the announcement of the King’s less than honourable intentions lessened slightly. “Truly?”

Chris nodded. “I handpicked them myself and are the best of the best. They are dedicated to the cause as well and will be loyal to your command.”

Relief swirled around her heart and threatened to weaken her knees. Although, the rush did not make them shake. It only caused Riza to exhale slowly and allowed a smile to spread across her face. “Thank you, Chris, so much. For all of your help.”

She waved away Riza’s gratitude and stood from her chair. Then, Chris wrapped her arms around Riza’s shoulders in a most surprising move. So much so that any lingering protest or reply died immediately upon her lips. The caring, motherly gesture stunned her and rendered her mute for more reason than one.

“Go, child,” she urged into Riza’s ear. “Reclaim your kingdom and fight for your people.” She pulled away and smiled down at Riza. “Know you will always have support from myself and the people of the Fire Kingdom.”

Riza nodded and forced down the tears threatening to rise to her eyes. “Thank you.”

She smirked at Riza. “My people will have their eyes on you every step of the way and we will provide support in any way we can, all right? Do not doubt that for a second.”

“I won’t,” Riza promised, truly believing Chris was a woman of her word.

As they mounted their horses Riza turned one more time to castle entrance. Chris was standing the doorway to see them off.

The King was nowhere to be seen.

Chris nodded once to her. Instead of a smirk, a genuine smile spread across her face before she spun on her heel and marched inside the castle.

With her duty lying ahead of her and the support at her back, courtesy of her new ally, Riza nudged her horse to walk forward to return to home.

It hurt to take those initial steps without Roy by her side, but she put her faith and trust in those remaining behind.

Riza trusted they’d help him.

She trusted he’d find a way back to her.

Chapter 16

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Roy received no visitors.

Meals were dropped off to his chambers three times a day, but that was the only interaction he had with the outside world. And it was always done by the same person each time.

Oh, how he wanted to revolt. To thump his fist repeatedly against that heavy oak door and demand he be let out. To curse his father everything under the sun and rage at the world for being so unfair.

 It nearly drove him mad.

But Roy did not. He conserved his energy and remained silent. He would not create a fuss for his father, no matter how much his chest burned with indignation and the desire to do so. Roy would not give him an excuse or something to use against him. He’d be the dutiful, unseen youngest son, as he'd always been, and hoped this time he would not be paid in dirt for his efforts.

The only interaction Roy had was with one single member of staff within his father’s employ. She was a young girl, in her mid-teens. How she ended up landed with the task of delivery his meals each day, every day, Roy didn’t know. A part of him feared to ask. She never met his gaze as she dropped off the tray of food to the prisoner in the gilded cage. She simply curtsied perfectly before clasping hands together in front of her.

“Do you require anything else, Your Highness,” she’d ask evenly in a quiet, resigned voice. So dull and lacklustre. Nothing like how Roy remembered seeing the girl around the castle as a child as she chatted animatedly and laughed with her parents and grandmother. Instead of taking joy in everything around her by her family’s side, she was simply doing her job now.

She was unhappy. He could tell. There was a bleakness in her eyes Roy recognised. It was the same look which had clouded the faces of so many people after the invasion which had claimed the life of his brother. She’d lost someone too. He wanted to ask, to extend condolences. Because the more he thought about it – and although his time wandering the castle halls had been limited after his gruelling recovery – he hadn’t seen the girl’s parents since he’d ridden North with his brother by his side.

Roy was no stranger to that look and reckoned the young girl was feeling a similar way as he had been a year ago. She too had suffered as he had.

“No, Winry,” he replied kindly. “And thank you for your assistance and service.”

She nodded and curtsied once more before leaving the room.

However, just as she reached the door, she paused and turned her head a fraction to her left.

“The Duchess sends her regards with the tea,” she said as if it were simply an afterthought. “She implores you to give it a try as it is one of her favourites.”

Roy blinked as Winry left his rooms. As an afterthought he nodded, even though the door was closed, right before understanding dawned on him.

As soon as the door was locked Roy surged to his feet and crossed the room, his feet eating up the distance between himself and the tray Winry had brought. When he lifted the steaming cup of tea he saw the tea plate beneath was plain, unmarked, and empty. Beneath the plate was the same. Gleaming white cloth stared back at him. Roy huffed and placed the teacup back down on the saucer. He was so enthusiastic – frustrated, more like – he almost spilled the scalding liquid. Then, he noticed the teapot. Halting his breathing and hoping, praying, Roy lifted it.

“Yes,” he hissed in quiet triumph.

Beneath it was a crumpled piece of paper. The edges were curled thanks to the heat of the pot which it had hidden below but the ink was still legible.

Allies still exist. We will be moving after noon. Be ready.

Roy grinned.

He would recognise his aunt’s handwriting anywhere.

They’d always written letters to one another. It was simply something they did and shared together, and Roy had cherished every one during his time within the Forest Kingdom. It was a welcome connection to home. A reminder of hot afternoons spent in the pool she’d had built in her stately home outwith the main city. His aunt’s house was a refuge when his father had become too much. It was somewhere Roy and his brothers fled to regularly, where they could be children and forget the pressures of a throne and a kingdom for a few hours. And, later in life, Roy frequented Chris’ home more often than the others.

After his mother passed the woman had easily stepped into the role. However, it took some getting used to. There were many fights with a distraught and burnt-out teenage Roy. Many sharp words were exchanged which were meant to cause harm, as teenagers were want to do, but ultimately Roy knew he would have been lost without Chris and her never-ending support. After subjecting himself to her glares and sharp reprimands – so different from his father’s – she’d welcome him inside her home and shelter him for as long as he required. Offered up her support and soothed him in his grief. More often than not she encouraged him to stay with her longer, however they both knew it would only end badly if he shirked his responsibilities indefinitely. His father’s anger and irritation would only grow, so, resigned, Roy would return to the confines of the castle walls and resume his training, restarting the cycle.

Roy crumpled the paper in his palm and stuffed it into his pocket.

More waiting… But it would be worth it.

He could do it. He only needed to continue to bide his time and wait… No matter how infuriating that mantra had become over the last few hours.

As the sun crested high in the sky the sound of a key opening the door to his chambers set him on edge and sent him to his feet.

Chris poked her head around the wood and shot him a smirk.

“So, this is where you’ve been hiding?” She lifted a perfectly painted eyebrow at him.

Then, she laughed at the indignation which no doubt showed on his face due to her teasing.

“Ready to go?”

Roy didn’t even dignify her question with an answer.

“Where is the Princess,” he murmured quietly as they moved through the castle. Roy noted there was a distinct lack of guards outside his door and briefly wondered how Chris had managed it.

“She set off early this morning. I informed her of our… predicament before she left.”

Roy fought off the urge to cringe. “And? What did she say?”

“Before she left I was pulled aside privately. She made me promise to do right by you and get you the help you needed.” Chris chuckled to herself at the memory. She almost looked fond. “She has the way of a queen about her already, that one.”

Roy flushed with pride for his Riza, but also turned bashful. The fact she hadn’t forgotten about him made his cheeks burn on their own, but her defence and blatant support of him warmed Roy’s heart also.

He had allies. It was a nice feeling after having no one but Chris and his brothers for years.

If Chris noted how Roy’s cheeks turned pink she didn’t comment on it. She let him indulge himself in silence. However, her smug smile didn’t waver once as she waltzed down what should have been halls crowded with his father’s guards.

“What’s the plan?”

“I have someone waiting on the outskirts of the city with a horse ready for you,” Chris explained quietly. Still, she did not seem concerned by the emptiness of the halls and the fact someone could walk by and spot Roy at any second. “Once you meet up with them you will ride hard north to catch up with the Princess. I will remain here for now and deal with my brother should he kick up a fuss.” Her eyes turned cold as they narrowed. “I will not allow him to imprison you here any longer.”

Roy glanced at Chris to see her eyes had turned as hard as flint.

“You won’t be coming with me?”

Chris shook her head. “No. I am much too old to join you on all of your adventures nowadays, nephew. Although, I do ask you save me a seat by your hearth in the Forest Kingdom when I manage to travel north to visit.”

“You would visit me?”

She rolled her eyes as if the question was ridiculous. “Of course. I have missed you, Roy.” Although her voice remained gruff, her expression did soften ever so slightly. “I have been worried for you.”

“You have?” He blinked at her.

Chris shot him a look to signify she would not dignify that question with an answer. “How have you been? I know when you wrote you said things were well and the adjustment period wasn’t too terrible, but really,” she stressed, “how were things?”

It had been too long since they’d last spoken face to face. Roy remembered slipping in and out of delirium and seeing her face while he’d recovered. However, Roy couldn’t determine how much of that had actually been real. If she’d actually been there or he’d dreamt it. After things settled down he didn’t see her before he was sent to join Riza and her family.

“Things were… good,” Roy replied honestly. “I was treated well by Riza and her family and was given much more freedom than was expected.” He lowered his voice and let his expression succumb as he fell into the fond memories. “It has been very good for me.”

A knowing smile curled the corners of Chris’ mouth. “I thought it would be. I am happy for you, Roy. Truly, I am. It’s what you deserved. It’s all I have ever wanted for you.”

Roy swallowed past the lump in his throat. “Thank you, Chris.”

She waved away his gratitude – a habit, more than anything – but her expression was pleased. “You have found a good one with Princess Riza, Roy.”

He felt his cheeks flush.

“I can tell she feels strongly for you too. My time with her was limited and we only shared a handful of conversations, but my instincts have never been wrong. Do not let her go.”

“Never,” Roy replied softly. “I don’t plan on it.”

“Good man.” Chris walked ahead a few steps and paused when someone rounded the corner of the hall. Roy’s hand immediately went to the hilt of his sword in defence. In case he needed it.

He would cut his way through this damned castle if anyone impeded his escape from its walls.

Anything to get to Riza.

“Ah, Winry. Perfect timing.”

Roy straightened and collected himself, willed his heartrate to slow, as he lowered his hands to his sides.

“I brought the clothing as requested, My Lady.” Winry handed over a folded cloak and a leather knapsack before dropping into a curtsy. Then, she turned her attention to Roy. “I wish you safe travels, Your Highness.”

“Thank you, Winry. Thank you for all you have done for me already as well.”

“It is no trouble at all, Your Highness.” Again, she curtsied.

“Well done, Winry. Take a horse from the stables in an hour and ride to my home. I shall meet you there once I am done here.”

Her eyes burned with determination. “Of course, My Lady. Until then. Stay safe.” She turned on her heel and rushed away from the. Her steps were lengthy and filled with purpose.

She was not the only one who wished to vacate the castle in a hurry, it seemed.

Chris shoved the bundle into Roy’s arms. “Duck in there to get changed.” She opened up a door to reveal an empty room beyond. “We can’t have someone who looks like the Crown Prince running about the city now, can we?”

Roy nodded and did as instructed. Minutes later he exited the room in commoners clothing. His brown leather trousers and plain white shirt were covered by a long brown cloak.

Very brown and boring and unassuming.

“Much better,” Chris smirked.

The trousers were nearly skin-tight and put up a fight while he’d tried to wrestle them on, but Roy finally managed. His shirt on the other hand was a looser fit than he was used to. The collars could be tied together but he opted to leave it open for now. The ties draped down his chest as the collar gaped. It was so different from his usual style of clothing that he thought it would help. It wasn’t uncomfortable either though, which helped.

He'd folded his princely clothing into the knapsack provided just in case he may need it. It was currently laid gingerly atop a two filled waterskins and provisions for his journey.

“Your horse is waiting for you on the west side, at the back of the blacksmith,” Chris revealed. Her tone turned urgent, so Roy leaned in closer to hear her. “Colton has a hatch within his shop. It leads to a tunnel which will take you outside the city walls. Use it, follow the wall towards the entrance, and you will see the rendezvous point.”

Roy nodded and secured his cloak tightly around his shoulders. He threw the hood over his dark head, casting his eyes in shadow.

They drew to a stop by an open doorway. Again, there was a distinct lack of guards. Roy didn’t know how Chris had managed to organise such a thing and opted to remain ignorant. He had far more pressing matters to attend to currently.

“Happy hunting, Roy.”

He nodded and took a deep breath, steeling himself to begin his journey back north. To re-join the Princess and fight for a castle, kingdom, and a people which felt more like home than his ever had.

“And Roy?”

He turned to meet the steely determination and sure belief of his aunt.

“Safe travels.”

“Same to you, Chris.”

“Go and reunite with your Princess.”

Roy didn’t even try to supress his smile as he slipped out the door. He forced his legs to carry him as fast they could in their flight to the blacksmith’s shop.

He knew Colton. He was the master craftsman who’d made his beloved sword. His work was legendary, and Roy had made a point to sent him a gift every year as thanks for providing him with such a stellar weapon.

The man looked gruff and tough. A little rough around the edges too, but years of working over such blinding heat and shaping molten metals had aged his skin. He was the biggest softie Roy knew and doted over his family and children without restraint. He’d easily become a fast friend.

When the door swung open Roy briefly wondered if Chris had told him it was Roy he would be helping smuggle out of the city.

Colton’s lips pursed beneath his massive, brown beard and whistled low, impressed. “She’d said this was ‘of the utmost importance’,” Colton mimicked, putting on a ‘fancy’ accent (as he called it), but it was not mocking or disdainful. “But I didn’t expect you, kid.”

The old man grinned at Roy beneath his hood. But still, Roy’s heart stuttered within his ribcage and his face fell.

“Is it that obvious?”

Colton barked out a laugh and clapped him on the back. The gesture had so much force behind it, it almost sent Roy stumbling forward. “Come in, I’ll see to you. Get you looking the part.”

Roy nearly started to back away when Colton dipped his fingers into the bottom of the forge.

“What is that?” Roy warily looked at the man’s hand and finally took a step back.

“Relax.” He rolled his eyes and chuffed a laugh. “It’s just coal. Here.” Without warning he smudged it over Roy’s chin and swiped it below his ear. “No one would expect the Crown Prince to be running around town covered in coal dust now, would they?” He put his hands on his hips and grinned at Roy as the latter swiped his hood off his head and fixed him with a scowl.

Colton looked entirely too pleased with himself.

Now you’re perfect. Time for you to go get your girl, kid.”

Roy’s scowl dropped immediately. Again, he couldn’t quite seem to supress his smile.

She was not his. Yet. But recent developments had potentially revealed she didn’t seem to be opposed to the idea at least… And the yearning within Roy’s heart told him it was something he desperately wanted too.

“Be careful, you hear me? I will be mighty disappointed if you do something stupid like get yourself killed,” Colton warned with a glare.

Roy barked out a laugh. “I’ll try my best not to.”

“You better,” he muttered. “You’re due me a gift in a few months.”

Colton roared with laughter at the look on Roy’s face. His lips had parted, his jaw going slack in disbelief at the man’s audacity as he continued to laugh.

“Of course, I’m just yanking your chain, kid. If you do end up getting yourself killed I’ll bring you back just to kick your ass, d’you hear?”

“Yes, sir.”

Colton smirked. “Good.”

His hands dropped from his hips, and he bent at the waist to grasp onto the handle of the latch by his feet. He hefted it open, his muscles rippling beneath his soot smeared shirt, and held it open for Roy.

“Go. Get on with you, kid.”

After Roy lowered himself down the steps he paused and turned to his old friend. “Thank you, Colton. I cannot tell you how much your assistance means to me.”

Colton’s face softened and he smiled down at Roy. His banter was gone and was genuine when he spoke. “Kid, it’s been a genuine pleasure to help you out.”

“If anything happens,” Roy added and swallowed, a terrible thought occurring to him – one that involved his angry father discovering exactly who had assisted Roy in escaping his prison and then punishing them as he saw fit – “I swear, I will make it right and repay you –”

“Enough of that now,” Colton replied gently. “I can handle the King. And you got nothing to repay me for. Ever.”

“But –”

“It never sat well with me how closed off and quiet the castle had become in recent years. Of course, us common folk only have rumours to go by,” he smirked, “but when Chris came round and explained it all, believe me, kid, I was more than happy to sign up for this. Barely needed any convincing.”

Roy felt that lump form in his throat again.

So many people were willing to help him. More than he realised.

“I can assure you too there are many others here in the city as well who’d willingly do the same. Don’t ever think there isn’t.”

Roy blinked up at the blacksmith in surprise.

“We’ll be here waiting quietly for your return, kid. Until then.” He offered Roy a lazy salute. “Go do what you gotta do.”

Colton didn’t wait for a reply. He simply closed the latch, forcing Roy further down the steps and into his storeroom below. At the very end there was a closed doorway. Clearly, it was normally padlocked, but today it hung off to the side, open and allowing Roy safe passage.

Roy took a deep breath and strode through the doorway into the earthy, underground passageway to begin his journey to the Forest Kingdom.

To Riza.

To his home.

Notes:

update 30/07/22 - apologies for the delay in the next chapter. this fic has been put on hold for the moment for the foreseeable due to an unexpected loss at the start of the week. not sure when i'll be back but definitely will be, don't worry. see you soon ❤️

Chapter 17

Notes:

i know its been a wee while but the break was needed. progress will still most likely be slow, but i will hopefully see you sooner for the next one

hope you enjoy :)

Chapter Text

“So, Your Highness, what should we expect upon entering your kingdom?” The ginger haired swordsman smiled at Riza from her right, two horses over, as he appeared to eagerly await her answer.

Riza noticed fairly quickly on their return journey north that Breda liked to chat.

He was an easy-going soldier. Laidback but would be alert and on guard when the situation demanded it. He was a strategist and had been all business as he explained the route they’d take back to her kingdom. He doled out the orders for those riding with them, assigning tasks and positions for lookouts to Chris’ soldiers, but once all was said and done, he’d quickly relaxed and flashed Riza a grin. He eased everyone’s mood with little effort and was quick to tell an amusing tale to keep spirits high. All those assigned to travel with Riza followed him without questioning or complaint. He was a natural leader and had clearly earned all of their respect.

Beside Riza, directly on her right, Lord Havoc remained stiff in posture and tense. His jaw was clenched tight as they continued onwards, and he didn’t let up. He was distrusting of all these new, unknown people surrounding the Princess. Understandable, given the current state of affairs. She would not fault Lord Havoc for remaining vigilant. Still, Chris appeared trustworthy. And Roy trusted her. If she said the people who were handpicked were loyal to her and to the Princess, Riza would believe her.

Her father had taught her it was unwise to trust quickly – especially in her position – that it was better to observe every other angle first, but really, what other choice did she currently have? Put her faith in this group, who appeared jovial and genuine enough, or subject herself to travelling alone to reclaim her home with only Lord Havoc and Rebecca by her side? Or, even worse, with those the King had initially picked out to travel with them? Who’d ultimately leave them defenceless at her borders?

The subtle deceit and omitting of vital information still continued to burn angrily within Riza’s chest.

No, this was much more preferable. It did not mean she would let her guard down entirely, but Riza had to admit Breda put her at ease. He was serious. Dedicated to his task.

Every so often Lord Havoc would also cast a glance behind Riza to look upon Rebecca, who rode close by on Riza’s other side.

“I am unsure what the situation will be after crossing the border, Sir Breda,” Riza replied. She tried not to sound too forlorn, but a sadness had creeped into her tone as it gripped her heart and held on tight at the thought of what may have befallen her kingdom. “Nothing too grievous, I hope,” she added, however speaking those words aloud caused them to sound foolish to her ears.

Perhaps it was a fool’s hope, but Riza could not bring herself to think upon such dire things. To give into the despair. Not yet, when everything was so unknown. So, with resolve, she did not indulge in fantasy – believing everything would be all right – and maintained her grip on reality. For the sake of her people and her home, she grasped onto a tiny glimmer of hope and put her faith in the men and women riding by her side. In Chris, and the invaluable assistance she’d provided so far. In Roy, and his promise he’d protect her with his life and would fight by her side through it all. While she had no other choice, Riza found herself not minding the support the trio had ended up with, despite it all.

After all, it could have been a lot, lot worse.

“I understand, Your Highness,” Breda replied gently, sympathy encompassing his words. However, he continued, “I did not mean in terms of what has occurred in the last few days. I meant, what is your kingdom like?”

“Oh. I see.”

“Forgive me for not being clearer.”

“No, it is quite all right, Sir.” She waved off his concerns hurriedly.

“I have never ventured so far north,” Breda mused to himself as he turned his gaze to the path ahead of them. “I’ve never been fortunate enough to visit the blessed kingdom of nature.”

Riza felt a smile tug at her lips. “It is beautiful,” she agreed. “Trees and vegetation thrive in our lands. Wildlife is never far from our side in the dense forests as they graze and move around their dens. Birdsong will greet you every morning and the soaring cliffs at the border in the far north are a sight to behold.”

“It certainly sounds stunning, Your Highness.” Breda’s smile was filled with warmth.

“It is.”

“I shall be happy to see it.”

Their group lapsed into silence for a while as they rode. Progress was slower than their trek to the Fire Kingdom, but the pace was steady so the horses wouldn’t tire quickly. They’d only stopped once so far to take advantage of the bubbling river to refresh.

A pang of memory resounded with Riza as she watched those surrounding her settle into their makeshift camp that evening. It reminded her of their first short stop for the night as they travelled south.

Riza greeted the two soldiers who walked past her perch by the roaring fire, who both smiled and bowed their heads to her, expressions friendly. She returned their gesture but ultimately her smile fell.

Oh, Roy…

Riza turned her face up to the moonlit sky in a moment of quiet contemplation. She wished she knew how he was. What he was thinking. What he could possibly be going through right now. If he was finally free from the bonds which unfairly held him, as was promised by Chris.

Lord Havoc lowered his tall frame to the log beside her. His arrival broke her reverie and returned her to the present, for which Riza was grateful. Her thoughts these days were often plagued with worries and her friend always managed to banish them for a time. He wordlessly held out and offered her a wooden bowl filled with a piping hot stew.

“How are you doing this evening, Your Highness?”

“All right,” she replied, unable to ignore how weary she sounded.

He nodded and lifted a spoon to his lips. “It won’t be too long until we are back home.”

“Yes,” Riza hummed in agreement. “We shall have a lot of work to do once we are.”

“Of that I have no doubt. And we shall be right by your side to assist you.”

Fondness for the man beside her and his never-ending loyalty to her washed over Riza.

“Thank you, Lord Havoc. I appreciate it.” She cast a glance around their camp, noting how quickly tents had been thrown up and how there was another fire going now at the opposite end of the space. “Where is Lady Rebecca?”

“She is resting. She retired early for the evening.”

Riza nodded thoughtfully as Lord Havoc hurriedly returned to eating. “You should go to her.”

He almost choked on his stew. “Pardon, Your Highness?”

Riza’s smile blossomed into a full, knowing grin when she noticed how much his cheeks had reddened. “Rebecca,” she replied as she tried – and failed – to stifle her snicker.

He coughed once, seemingly uneasy. “I am content here this evening, Your Highness. I will remain and keep you company. Unless you wish it otherwise?”

“I always welcome your company, but I have a feeling it is not what your heart truly desires, is it?”

Again, he turned his gaze away. This time, bashful.

“I will not tease, Lord Havoc,” Riza reassured him. “And while I trust you wholeheartedly, take care of her, please. She’s a very dear friend to me. You are too,” she added and nudged his shoulder with her own, “and I would hate to have to kick your behind should things not work out with my friend.”

He snorted. “If something like that was to occur, I would accept the tongue lashing gladly. I would deserve it if I ever did hurt Rebecca. But that will not come to pass.” His expression set into one of determination. “She is very important to me as well and I would never jeopardise what I have with her.”

Riza smiled up at him in appreciation and understanding. “I know, Jean. I know.”

He shot her a boyish grin, so light and joyous, it eased Riza’s own heart of its burdens. Just for a moment. Seeing her friend happy – truly happy – made her feel similarly in return.

Silence filled the space between them as they both returned to their meals.

“Go,” Riza urged.

Lord Havoc sighed quietly and lowered his near empty bowl to his lap. “She is sleeping, Your Highness, and I have no intention of interrupting her –”

“I can promise you she will see it as a positive. Go,” she nudged him with her elbow.

He looked torn as he glanced away from Riza and looked around the camp.

“I shall be fine,” Riza reassured him. She lowered her voice and added, “the soldiers here have given us no reason to distrust them. And I trust Chris. If she says they are the best and trustworthy, I shall believe it. Now,” Riza straightened and resumed speaking at a normal volume, “do both of yourselves a favour and enjoy, relish, in the quiet time you both have together now. Do not waste it.”

With one final lingering glance Lord Havoc nodded and stood.

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

“Of course, my friend. You are more than welcome.”

He was nearly jogging as he hurried towards the tent Rebecca was currently occupying. As Riza watched him leave, she laughed quietly to herself, truly pleased for them both.


Anxiety and anticipation were a dangerous combination. They turned Riza’s stomach and left her hands shaking on her horse’s reins as they moved closer and closer to her home.

Already they saw the evidence of the attack. It left Riza’s heart heavy to see the once vibrant trees and vegetation scorched. Some turned completely to ash. To see gaping scars upon the bark from weapon slices and an arrow protruding from them here and there. The forest, once always so full of life and hustle and bustle, was now silent. It was eerie as the group travelled silently through it.

It was not what Riza had always known it to be.

Once entering the woodland a solemn shroud had fallen over their convoy. Although the soldiers looked around in awe at such lush greenery and were fascinated by it, there was a righteous anger simmering just below the surface as well. Those who’d taken so much from these people before had tried to do so again. Not only that, but they’d also marred the beauty of this fantastical place they were quickly falling in love with, so different from their land of rock and fire.

How dare someone try to harm it. To take from it so uncaringly.

Her kingdom was broken. It was hurting, and Riza felt it as though the wounds were on her own flesh. Still, she forged on ahead without stopping. The rest followed her lead and some time ago, she couldn’t quite pinpoint when, it was silently agreed their company would remain quiet as they traversed the charred terrain.

Barely anything stirred in between the remaining trees, and it set them all on edge. Especially Riza, Lord Havoc, and Rebecca.

They were only half a mile out from the castle when Riza’s ears perked up and drew her attention slightly to her left – in the direction of the castle. She gripped the reins tighter with one hand as her horse’s ears also twitched in that direction and it exhaled sharply. Riza outstretched one hand and rolled her wrist, urging Lord Havoc closer to her side, which he did so without hesitation. He did not miss her signal, nor did Lady Rebecca, and both approached her side immediately.

A chill skittered up Riza’s spine and lifted the hair on the back of her neck at the approach of an unknown. A lead weight formed within her stomach, solid and filled with unease, as her eyes refocussed and swept across the road in front of her.

Movement from the left had Lord Havoc drawing his sword and levelling it at the newcomer – who was on foot – and had the other soldiers behind her doing the same. Breda had barked out a formation order and the rest of them followed suit, but Riza didn’t hear it.

It was no enemy who approached cautiously through the trees. They stood stock still now, staring wide eyed up at Riza in their shock, as she did the same to them from atop her horse.

“Father?”

Berthold, dressed in heavy armour and wielding a sword with ease and as if it weighed next to nothing, nearly dropped the weapon to the bush beneath his feet.

In the last days Riza had seen him his back had appeared bowed with the weight off all he was trying to plan for. It didn’t look as though the man could walk tall any longer with all of his burdens, yet here he was, looking about ten years younger. Agile and ready for battle.

“Riza?”

It appeared he was having as difficult a time believing this was real as she did.

Why was he out here? Alone? Where was an escort for him? Was he all right? Was everyone else?

A breath of disbelief left her and Riza could feel her expression lighting up despite the millions of questions swirling around within her mind like bees within a hive. She dismounted from her horse before she’d even thought about doing so.

“Princess!” Breda’s command at her to stop rose over the thunder of blood in her ears, but Riza shut it out.

Nothing else mattered.

She ran over to the man she’d feared dead and couldn’t help herself. She threw her arms around his shoulders in her elation and hugged him tight. She felt him flail slightly at the sudden, staggering gesture, but his arms encircled tightly around her waist. He squeezed her tight and felt a hand lift to cup the back of her head. Berthold held Riza tight against him and she felt her eyes flutter closed in relief and joy.

He was alive.

She was home and some of her people were still here.

There was hope.

“Father? How?”

He pulled her away from his side and gazed adoringly down at his daughter. For a brief moment, no words were spoken and all that passed between them were looks of disbelief.

“The hidden passageways you badgered me about getting serviced worked a treat, my dear.”

Her laugh was watery as tears threatened her eyes but did not fall. “You’re all right?”

He nodded. “We hid and waited. We gathered all of the staff and as many people we could reach from the city and held them in the underground keep. People still came to us once the initial invasion was over and our numbers swelled.”

She gripped his shoulders even tighter as more hope swelled within her. “There are survivors?”

He nodded, but his expression did turn solemn. “All the planning came to fruition. I was unable to save them all, but there are hundreds of us beneath the castle walls.” Even though he was proud of the survivors they’d managed to gather and protect, her father still felt the loss of his people greatly.

He lifted his head and greeted Lord Havoc and Lady Rebecca.

“Where is Roy?” Berthold’s confused eyes turned towards Riza after a moment of further searching. They then flashed with warning and apprehension when Riza grimaced and her joy evaporated. “Riza? Where is he?”

“I believe he is well, but it is… a long story,” Riza sighed finally. It was probably the least complicated way of conveying all which had occurred in the last few days.

She did not wish to break the news of the Fire Kingdom King’s betrayal to her father, but knew it needed to be done, no matter how unsavoury it may be.

Berthold nodded in understanding. “Come. I was patrolling the perimeter and I’m due to meet up with the other men in a few minutes. They will be wondering where I am if we do not move soon.”

“What of our convoy? Our horses?”

Berthold glanced over Riza’s shoulder as if noticing just how many men and women waited behind her for the first time. “You came with quite an escort, didn’t you?” He smiled wryly down at her, his pride evident.

“I shall explain everything once we are all safe.”

“Of course,” Berthold nodded. “Thank you for assisting my daughter home,” he called to them. “Come, I will show you safe passage so you may rest.”

“Thank you, King Hawkeye,” Breda announced, speaking for his contingent, and bowing his head with a fist of his heart. The others mimicked him and bowed to the King of the Forest Kingdom.

With Berthold’s arm around her shoulders, he guided Riza and her escort through the forest easily. And even though one of the most important parts of her was still missing, it did feel like Riza was finally home.

Peace settled upon her shoulders and mind. It was finally found with the knowledge of her father’s survival.

Chapter 18

Notes:

ok i know i said progress would probs be slow haha but i threw myself into this one and managed to get it finished up. plus if i leave it sitting unposted i'm less likely to work on the the next one so here you go :)

progress may still be slow after this one lol but hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Riza was impressed with the operation her father had assembled here in the castle’s underground keep. It was a space she’d always been aware of. It was somewhere the royal family had always used in times of crisis to flee and regroup. Riza had been shown around as a child and they’d used it during the previous invasion, which was partly why she’d kept her distance. She didn’t like to be reminded of her time here, where she’d only just managed to arrive to safety and her mother hadn’t.

Glancing around it was noted how the place had been transformed from the empty, cavernous space. To the right were barrels, a huge number of them, stacked high, and nearby their towers were tables and chairs set up as an eating area. Fire pits roared and people chatted around them while the castle chefs handed out bowls and plates of meats and breads. To the left were rows and rows of pallets, each set up with blankets and pillows. Children jumped the spaces between the makeshift beds, giggling as they played their game, while mothers and fathers spoke quietly with one another, watching on fondly.

This was what all of her father’s hours had been sunk into in the past weeks and months, Riza supposed. It was a marvel.

As they walked through the keep towards his own designated private area where they could finally talk freely, pleased faces swarmed their entourage and welcomed Riza home. Most offered their well wishes and gratitude at seeing their Princess well and unharmed. And, oh, she’d brought reinforcements! How fortuitous and wonderful she was!

Riza smiled and accepted their praise with grace as she was taught to do but couldn’t help but feel uncomfortable with it. She hadn’t done all of this by herself, after all. Others had a larger hand in their scheme, but after a quick glance towards Breda and Fuery she saw they did not appear to mind. Fuery looked around, distracted, at the towering cavern in awe while Breda greeted those around them with the easy smile Riza had grown to know so well. He fit in well with her people and conversed with them easily, answering questions without hesitation.

Upon approaching her father’s study the soldiers from the Fire Kingdom were encouraged to find rest and food. Breda saluted, hand over heart, and thanked the King. He turned and left with the rest of them.

“Please call for us if you require any assistance or if you believe we can be of any help to your plans.” Fuery bowed low and followed after Breda. He almost looked excited as he rushed to re-join the soldier, his red cape swishing around his ankles in his enthusiasm.

Only Berthold, Riza, Lord Havoc, and Rebecca entered the sacred space he’d carved out for himself.

While the King’s current “study” had none of the usual comforts she was used to seeing – bookcases upon bookcases filled with texts and world histories, the quill and ink he’d used for years (which looked rather frayed and well past its time, but he hadn’t had the heart to part with it yet. It had been a gift from Riza’s mother), and the old, dated, but constantly updated, map of their kingdom (the one he used now had crisp, white corners, which weren’t yellowed with age or curled around the edges. There were no ink marks to update roads and pathways and Riza, surprisingly, found herself missing the ragged piece of parchment and its many, many notes and proposed plans) – it was functional and well equipped. As was everywhere else, she’d noticed, as they’d traversed through the keep.

Some familiar trinkets did make it to his desk, though. Riza was surprised to see two personal items she’d always associated with her father’s study. Perched upon the worn oak wood were two paintings her father had commissioned. One, a portrait of Berthold and his late wife on their wedding day. Her father looking stern and regal, her mother a beauty with a faint smile. It lit up the page and the sight of it made Riza’s heart stir. Riza just knew her mother would have managed to get her father to crumble. His hard, serious, and “kingly” edges would have softened then he’d have gazed in adoration down at his wife. Offer her a smile. Even a peck on the cheek, which would have been rather scandalous for the court on the King and Queen’s wedding day, but Berthold would think it still worth it.

The other painting which Riza’s gaze slid over to brought forth a smile. Her mother’s grin was spread wide as she cradled a baby Riza within her arms, only days old.

Sorrow surged within Riza’s chest. How she longed to feel those arms around her once more. To have her guidance and wisdom so she could navigate the ruling of her kingdom, and this current situation, with her mother’s support. With her never ceasing encouragement and kind patience.

To have someone to confide in about the feelings she harboured for a certain prince.

Once their group was finally alone Berthold started to relax. The sword he’d wielded was placed by his desk and tipped to lean against the wood. He undid the breastplate of his armour and placed it aside beside his sword. Once settled he turned to stare at Riza and held her gaze for a moment. Then, his shoulders drooped. Berthold surprised her by lifting his arms and drawing her into another hug.

Lord Havoc and Lady Rebecca averted their gazes and bowed their heads together to discuss something or other Riza was not privy to, granting them both some time for a smaller, more private reunion.

“I am so glad you are all right, Riza,” Berthold spoke into her hair. “I was so worried about you.”

“I felt the same way about you. What happened?” She pulled away and asked the question which had been weighing upon her mind for days. “I thought…” She could not continue with the terrible idea, but from the pained look upon her father’s face he understood what she was trying to convey. “How did you escape?”

“We did not know the attack was coming, if that is what you are asking. I had an inkling earlier that evening that everything was not as it seemed. And while it made me seem paranoid to my peers and councillors – perhaps even to my own daughter as well,” he added sadly, but still smiling, “I could not shake the feeling. The instinct had served me well my whole life, so I started to usher the staff into the keep after dinner. I framed it as part of a drill so once it hit, a fraction of the people I had to worry about were safely stored away where they’d never be discovered.”

Riza was glad to hear it.

“I regret not informing you of it though, Riza,” he added forlornly. “As you can imagine, it was a mighty task and simply a precaution. I would not have wished you to think I’d finally lost my mind.”

Riza reached over and grasped his weathered hand in hers, giving it a squeeze. “I would never have thought that,” she reassured gently.

“Plus, I knew I had already secured your safety at the hands of the young Prince. He’d already agreed earlier to my demands to get you out of the kingdom safely should an invasion occur, and I had every faith in him and his abilities.”

In that moment Riza remembered the argument she and Roy had shared over her father. The words they’d exchanged in anger. Shame washed over her. She’d allowed her emotions to better her and hadn’t listened to reason.

“Did he pass on my letter to you?” Berthold was merely curious, not demanding.

Riza shook her head. “There was not enough time to pick it up during our departure.”

His shoulders dropped in time with his sigh.

“Father, why did you not just tell me? Why didn’t you speak to me of your plans?”

“It is my biggest regret out of all of this. I only wished for your safety, my dear, and would do anything to ensure it. I asked Prince Mustang to escort you to safety, even though I knew you would not like being removed from the action. You both were always joined at the hip so I thought a letter may be best used to describe my intentions should it all come upon us without enough time to explain. And it did, but again, I made a mistake.” His eyes lifted to meet Riza’s. “I underestimated Prince Mustang’s determination to protect you. Of course he would rush to your side without another thought for something as simple as a letter I’d passed onto him. It is as clear as day, now.”

Riza felt her face flush at the words her father spoke but didn’t dare ask him to elaborate. Not now, when there were far more important things going on.

“What happened after it all, Riza,” Berthold asked desperately. “Where is Prince Mustang now?”

And so, Riza took a deep breath and revealed all to her father.

Berthold lowered his face into a hand – the one which had the elbow propped against his makeshift desk – as Riza finished recounting the events of the past few days. He rubbed at his eyes tiredly and pinched at the space on his nose in between each eye as he mumbled.

“I understand the desire to protect one’s kingdom and their people, but this…” He sighed and the weight upon his shoulders which appeared to bow his frame forwards returned. “Not like this, though. Never like this,” Berthold muttered to himself. Then, his words grew sharper. His expression turned angry. “And to only grant half an escort. Barely any protection.” The King shook his head and turned towards Riza. “I am pleased you were able to find capable and good people within the Fire Kingdom, Riza. The soldiers who rode with you are dependable, yes?”

Riza nodded. “They have given me no reason not to trust them either. They appear completely genuine and willing to help,” she added. “They’re all loyal to Sir Breda and he is more than happy to assist us. His assistance was only granted to us by the King’s sister, Duchess Chris Mustang.”

Berthold cupped his chin in thought. His eyes darted back and forth, looking around papers strewn across his desk but seeing nothing at all. “I know her,” he finally said, speaking mostly to himself. “I am sure of it. An old ally from years past. She was happy to assist you, you said?”

“She was,” Riza answered. “We were ready to leave with only half an escort before she summoned me through Lord Fuery – Prince Mustang’s steward and most trusted friend. She brought me to her and revealed to me the King’s plot.”

Again, Berthold scoffed at the mention of the man. He’d severely dropped down in his estimations after Riza had explained what he’d planned to do with her escort home and what Chris had revealed to them about his antics while they were within his kingdom.

Her father hummed to himself in thought. “Interesting,” he muttered to himself before shaking himself and returning to the present. “I will be sure to extend my gratitude to her, should we ever cross paths.”

“Your Highness,” a newcomer greeted quietly. The young page looked terrified to interrupt but also desperate to share his news. An intriguing contradiction. “The guards have been notified of an approaching figure to our perimeter. Human, and they travel alone. They look injured, Your Highness.”

Berthold perked up immediately. “Human? Definitely?”

“Yes, Your Highness. They are sure of it.”

“Excellent. Thank you. Grant them access to the keep and bring them in.”

The boy looked relieved. “Yes, Your Highness. Right away.” He hurried off at a jog to relay the King’s order.

“A visitor?”

“Perhaps,” Berthold mused, stroking his chin in thought, “though we are expecting no one. Most likely a wayward traveller. Or someone who has escaped the city walls.” His expression fell to one of sorrow. “The Orcs ravaged the city but there were still pockets of people who managed to remain undetected during it. They are all here now, able to flee once the Orcs moved on, but it is possible there are still more.” Hope laced his words and he sighed heavily. “We shall see once they arrive.”

There was a great grinding sound as the doors at the entrance of the keep slowly opened. It set Riza’s teeth on edge and she resisted the urge to cover her ears, though she did flinch. It sounded so much worse in the echoing space than it did from the entrance tunnels beyond.

“Incoming visitor!” the guard cried into the cavern, causing Berthold to straighten his posture. It appeared their conversation was abandoned for now. Without another word he was up, out of his chair, striding towards the entrance. In passing he’d grasped his sword and rested his hand upon its pommel.

Riza shared a glance with Lord Havoc and Rebecca before hurrying after him.

Breda noticed their purposeful movements from where he was chatting with one of the citizens of the city and caught Riza’s eye. She shrugged at him but continued onwards, walking after her father. With a smile and a gentle, friendly grasp of an elbow, he excused himself from his companion and fell into step behind Lord Havoc.

“Sir Breda,” he greeted tightly.

“My Lord.” Breda bowed his head politely to Lord Havoc. “Do we know what is going on here?”

He shook his head. “We do not. Apparently there is a visitor, and I am apprehensive to allow my King and the Princess to attend to them without backup given the current situation in my kingdom.”

Bread nodded. “Understandable,” he replied, completely genuine. “Lead on, My Lord. The Fire Kingdom offers back up to support you.” He jerked his head and two other soldiers, two women, materialised by his side like shadows without so much as a sound.

Despite all of his uncertainty and distrust during their travel time here, Lord Havoc appeared to relax slightly at the offer extended from the captain of the guard. “Thank you, Sir Breda.”

“We are happy to serve, My Lord. Anything for you and the Princess,” he added.

Lord Havoc nodded and continue onwards.

Riza let out a breath of relief at the exchange.

Their visitor was dressed rather drably. The coat was covered in mud and there were slashes through the fabric. Two red stains had blossomed through the dirty fabric of the shirt and were worryingly large. There was one at the shoulder, where it was clear there was a wound, and another upon their abdomen. While there didn’t appear to be an entry point through the fabric, there was still some type of injury there upon their person. They limped forward and once inside the safety of the keep, it appeared too much to continue onwards. Shoulders bowed forward and a hand lifted to cup the injured side of their abdomen.

 Concern built like a wave within Riza –

Then it skyrocketed. Fear and worry closed up her windpipe and she sucked in a breath of air, the sound of it ragged, as if it were an enormous effort for the oxygen to make it to her lungs.

The newcomer stumbled and the guard behind reached forward to steady them by the shoulders.

The hood over their head, concealing the person’s identity, slipped.

Dawning realisation had her mind shouting at her to move, to go to him.

“Roy,” Riza whispered fearfully.

Roy’s head shot up at the sound of Riza’s voice. He shoved his hood back off his face, swiping hurriedly at the fabric.

She was already moving when her father realised who it was.

“My God. Fetch a Healer at once!” he barked to whoever was nearby and people scattered and scrambled to find help at the King’s command.

Some strands of hair now stood on end while others continued to cling to the skin of Roy’s neck and forehead. He looked well-travelled and dirtied, but the removal of his hood revealed surprised, wide eyes, before his expression morphed into the familiar grin Riza knew so well and missed so dearly. It banished his pained look and posture, his spine straightening as Roy rose to greet her. His eyes lit up so brightly with joy they nearly sparkled, even in the low light of the keep.

“Riza,” Roy breathed reverently.

Prince Roy Mustang was looking at Riza as though he was a man who’d finally found something incredibly precious which he’d been searching for, for a very long time.

Riza came to a hesitant stop before him. Her hands itched by her sides, desperate to lift and wrap around his neck to hold as tightly as each could bear. And yet they remained where they were in fear of causing him further pain. Riza’s eyes roved over his form and a whimper threatened to pass her lips at his ragged, bloodied state.

She wanted to take all his pain and bear it for him. Her heart swelled at the thought and tentatively, tenderly, she placed one hand on his chest – atop his heart. It thundered to a heavy beat beneath her fingers, and she laughed quietly to herself, simply thankful to have strong, irrefutable proof he lived.

After she’d had her small moment it seemed Roy required one of his own to assure she truly was before him. Roy lifted his good arm and drew Riza’s body in close. There was no hesitation. No thought for propriety and their stations within her father’s court. No concern for who may be watching their heartfelt reunion. Roy dragged her into his desperate embrace and Riza went willingly. She fell into his arms and reciprocated with her own urgency. She wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face in the crook of his neck, breathing him in and taking in the solid form beneath her palms. Her fingers dug into the skin and muscle of his back to ascertain this was real.

He was here.

“You’re okay,” Roy breathed into her ear. As his breath tickled the outer shell Riza could hear how grateful he was to ascertain such news.

His cheek pressed even tighter to the side of her head and Riza could have sworn she felt him press a kiss against her head where he could reach.

Riza smiled against the skin of his neck.

From there, it was as if the rest of the world fell away. Only the two of them existed in this moment and Riza was so happy to finally see him again she forgot his current state.

If she could stay in his arms forever, she would, for Riza had never felt more at peace.

It was if now, she was finally home.

All was right and as it should be within her own world.

Roy twitched and his body bowed forwards slightly. Riza hurriedly pulled away and placed a hand upon his chest to steady him. A pained gasp left him and Roy’s eyes squeezed closed.

“Roy?”

“I’ll be all right,” he replied. “I just… I need to rest.”

He was lowered gently to a chair someone hurriedly stepped in and placed under his legs. Finally off his feet, Roy sighed heavily and relaxed into Riza’s touch and beneath her palms. Riza reached for his hand and squeezed it tight after Roy latched on. Fingers became entwined, slotting perfectly together.

He tried to smile reassuringly up at her, but it didn’t last long in his current injured state.

Still, despite it all, oh, how she’d missed seeing his smile. His eyes. His whole being. Riza had the overwhelming urge to throw her arms around his neck again and never let him out of her sight but refrained for now. She would not bring more pain upon him by being eager and careless.

“How can we help,” Riza urged. “What happened?”

“Ambushed by Orcs,” he replied, voice strained. “A pack of four of them. I dispatched three but the other escaped.” He glanced up at her. “I do not know where they fled to.”

Riza shook her head. “You took on four Orcs by yourself?” She had half a mind to scold him for such recklessness.

He nodded. “They were close to the city walls. I would not take the chance so they’d enter,” he replied firmly.

Fondness washed over Riza at his dedication to her kingdom and her people. He didn’t have to but Roy still followed his duty to them. Still, she feared for him and the crimson stains upon his clothing.

“Come, let us get him to the makeshift infirmary.”

Riza helped Roy to his feet with the assistance of Lord Havoc after hearing Berthold’s directive. She slung one of his arms around her neck while Havoc took the other.

Roy grimaced as he lay back on the bed and his abdominals contracted. His face contorted in pain and a low hiss escaped from between his lips.

The Healer got to work immediately by peeling away his ruined shirt. Riza felt a cold sweat envelop her skin as more and more damage was revealed. Bruises also marred his skin from the blunt ends of weapons.

“The abdomen wound is simply an old one which has been aggravated.”

Roy nodded grimly on the bed as he stared up at the ceiling. His breathing was heavy, yet even, as he tried to regulate it and work through the pain. Riza, on the other hand, fought down the bile crawling up her throat at the reminder of how he’d sustained his injury there.

“The shoulder will recover. It is not deep, simply long, explaining the amount of blood. It should not restrict any movement once healed.”

Roy exhaled in a rush, relieved at the news.

“I shall clean it now,” the Healer announced. Her hands paused and hovered over his shoulder. “This will be painful I’m afraid.”

Riza reached for Roy’s hand gave it a squeeze of encouragement. His eyes flicked away from the ceiling to meet hers.

“I’ll be right here, Roy,” she told him gently. Behind her she could hear her father murmuring and urging the others away to give them some privacy. “I’m not going anywhere.”

His eyes clouded over then he exhaled slowly. Roy nodded. “Do it,” he agreed through gritted teeth.

When his eyes slammed closed and his entire body tensed Riza felt his pain as if were her own. The Healer made quick work of cleaning his injuries but it was still unpleasant. Riza wished she’d stop hurting him, stop bringing him more pain and suffering, but of course, rationally, she understood this was necessary.

“Done,” the Healer announced, stepping away from the bed hurriedly. From the expression on her face that was not part of her profession she enjoyed.

Roy panted upon the bed. His face had turned white as a sheet – he almost looked grey – and his eyes were now wide, yet unseeing. Riza swallowed and leaned over him. With gentle fingers she brushed away the damp hair clinging to his forehead. She stroked his skin, soothing him as best she could with quiet words, and slowly his body relaxed. His eyes fluttered closed and Roy’s head lolled to the side with exhaustion.

He was unconscious.

“It is to be expected, Your Highness,” the Healer explained when Riza turned stricken. “Get him to drink this when he awakens.” She handed over a small bottle. “It is a restorative which will help him heal. For now, let his body rest.”

“Thank you,” Riza breathed. She took the elixir from her and gripped the bottle tight within her palm as she turned to watch Roy’s chest rise and fall with deep, even breaths as he slept.

“Of course, Your Highness,” she curtsied. “Please do call on me at any time if there is anything you both need.” Quietly, she slipped away from them and left Riza with a slumbering, but relaxed – and no longer in pain – Roy.

Riza remained vigilant by his side and waited for him to wake.

Chapter Text

Roy’s awareness returned to him slowly.

It took a moment to take stock and remember what had happened, where he was.

First of all, Roy checked in with the dull ache throbbing in his shoulder and his stomach. They were manageable and not as terrible currently as he’d expected them to be. His shoulder injury had smarted initially after the Orc had tried to enthusiastically cleave his head from his shoulders. His abdomen had been aggravated with his movements as he fought for his life, which was nothing out of the ordinary while training. He’d always had to keep a close eye on it, to monitor how he was feeling while sparring, but Roy had noticed, with dismay, his old wound had opened with his quick twisting and evasion after an Orc had slammed the blunt end of their mace into this stomach in an attempt to hinder him.

Roy also remembered how his pain had eased, how soft touches had lulled him to sleep, finally allowing him to rest after enduring the attempt to clean his wounds.

He was grateful for that.

Next he remembered he’d made it back to the Forest Kingdom.

Roy’s eyes fluttered open to take in the rocky ceiling far, far above him.

Ah, yes. He’d been escorted to the keep beneath the castle.

It was never a place he’d been privy to, but the sight of it made sense with what he’d expect from a natural underground bunker, of sorts.

Then, after all of that, Roy registered the strange sensation of something stroking the skin on the back of his hand. It was pleasant. Soothing. So welcoming and so relaxing, Roy let out a soft, contented sigh as his skin tingled with warmth which flushed up his arm, to his elbow, and settled comfortably within his chest.

When he moved his head the skin of his shoulder stretched. It smarted slightly but did not halt him in his journey to discover who or what was responsible for such a lovely caress. As soon as he realised someone was sitting by his side their eyes met.

Riza stared worriedly back him –eyes filled with the emotion and fit to burst – but she exhaled in a rush and shot him a smile as soon as their gazes connected with one another. Roy heard himself breathe her name quietly, like a prayer, and felt all of his emotions surge to the surface of his mind, of his skin, of his heart.

Relief surged through him while knowing she was with him and unharmed. Roy was overjoyed Riza was safe and had made her return to her home. He was ecstatic to be able to lay his eyes upon her once more after such a long, uncertain time apart. And there was love – whole and utterly consuming – as he took in her features. In that moment he realised how much he’d missed setting his eyes upon them. Upon her. Their time apart had been dreadful, but now the memory of it felt excruciating. Roy discovered he never wished to leave her side again and would allow no other to hold him back from such a goal. Not the stranger who was now his father, and not those who were threatening her family and her home.

It overwhelmed him, this desire to pull her into his arms and –

His thoughts were derailed when Riza placed a comforting hand upon his brow. She ran her hands lightly through his hair and stroked her fingers along his hairline to his temple. Roy couldn’t even attempt to hide the shudder which shook his frame, for there was no stopping it once it started.

“How are you feeling?”

Oh, how he’d missed the sound of her voice.

There were no titles between them now. No politeness or respectable distance. Roy couldn’t help but think this quiet moment they were sharing together, alone, was one of intimacy. And it was not a moment he wished to ever end, either.

“Better,” he answered truthfully. The pain was still a dull ache and Riza’s gentle touch was temporarily keeping it at bay.

“I’m glad,” Riza replied truthfully. Still, her stroking hands never faltered in their ministrations against the skin of his face and his hair.

“And you?” Roy swallowed and tried to control, reign in, his now racing heart and the heat spreading through his body beneath her hands. “How do you fare?”

“Fine. Our travel home was uneventful.” Her expression suddenly turned unsettled and Riza’s hands paused. She drew back from him, moving her hands away from his face, and Roy nearly whined at the loss.

Thankfully, he did not embarrass himself, and managed to withhold the protestation.

“What happened while we were within your home, Roy? With the King…” Riza’s expression turned troubled causing Roy to feel another type of heat flash through him.

Rage.

“Did he do anything to you?” He tried to keep his voice controlled but if his father had done something to her, to Riza… Roy would not hesitate to exact justice upon the man in the best way he saw fit.

“No! Nothing of the sort,” she announced hurriedly. “I meant with you. I was –” Riza cleared her throat and appeared to take back control of her emotions. “I was concerned when you disappeared. He lied to us, your aunt said.”

It was difficult to contain his fury. “What did he tell you?”

“That you were suddenly suffering from the injuries you’d sustained on your travels.”

Roy could see how much the news had affected her and his heart hurt to think she’d been fearing for him when he’d been perfectly fine, albeit locked away like a prisoner.

“That the travel had exacerbated them, and you were left in pain,” Riza swallowed. “And was now healing.”

He saw an inkling of guilt within Riza’s eyes and Roy immediately opened his mouth to argue against it, but never got the chance.

“We were not permitted to visit.”

Roy shook his head but winced when the enthusiastic movement caused the injured skin of his shoulder to stretch and pull. “No, I was not injured.” Roy’s hands closed into fists by his side to try and channel his anger at the memory and keep it in check while he spoke. “The King told me our kingdom’s agreement with yours was void if King Hawkeye was dead. I revealed I believed that may be the case but ultimately could not confirm.” His fists tightened further. “My father took my news to believe all was lost and declared the agreement finished.”

Pain curled within Roy’s chest, so near to his heart, at how callous and cold his father had been towards him. Still, the pain of his father’s rejection continued to haunt him, wondering once more just how everything had gone so poorly. What, truly, had he done which was so unforgivable in the man’s eyes?

“I was told I would be expected to return to my duties within the kingdom as I was…” He did not want to say the words. Give voice to them.

Not to her.

Riza’s fingers entwined slowly between Roy’s, drawing his gaze off his outstretched, mud caked, legs upon the bed, bringing them to look upon warm, amber eyes he adored so much.

Her comfort and steady presence gave him the strength to continue.

“As I was no longer required here, with the Forest Kingdom lost. I was not given a choice. It was demanded of me I submit to my father’s wishes and give myself over to his rule and my kingdom,” Roy finally finished, bitterly.

Silence descended upon the pair.

“You will always have a place here, Roy.” Riza’s eyes met his meaningfully. They swirled with promise and sincerity. “Within my kingdom.” A beat of silence followed before she spoke once more. “And by my side.”

His throat threatened to seize as his emotions crashed over him, enveloped his heart, like a tsunami.

“By your side?” His voice was barely above a whisper. He did not dare to believe it initially. Not after all that had transpired between them with his family and after the tragedy which had struck hers.

“Always,” Riza promised without hesitation.

She gave his hand another tight squeeze and did not let go.

Roy did not know what to do. How to reply.

The news left him overjoyed.

Uncertain.

Could he renounce his heritage? His birth right?

Well, his father no longer held any love for him. That was certain. Roy was to be nothing more than a pawn in the King’s games. To be moulded into the perfect heir who would serve his King, his kingdom, and its people, dutifully. Perfectly. Without complaint.

Roy held his people dear to him, just as equally as he did those who resided within these lands, but there was no connection to them. There never had been, thanks to his father. Roy and his brothers had never received the chance. As children they were rarely taken among the masses. All Roy and his brothers saw of their subjects were those who’d come to petition the King. From those exchanges it did not appear his father was a poor ruler. From what Roy could remember he was fair and equal to all, which brought some kind of peace to him, Roy supposed.

His father was not a complete monster.

As a youth, when he managed to escape the confines of the castle – hidden in disguise, mind you, just to experience some form of freedom for a short time – the people appeared to be relatively happy and content. The Fire Kingdom had its issues just like any other, but from what Roy had been able to observe there were no glaringly obvious gripes and disruptions with the city’s residents.

But Roy did not find himself worrying about them the way he did those huddled within the castle’s keep. His heart currently yearned to keep them safe.

The reason being Princess Riza had taken regular, daily walks throughout her city – with Roy as an escort, of course. She’d visited merchants, purchased goods from stalls, and chatted cheerfully with children, encouraging them in their learning and games. She knew her people by name, and they were eager to assist the Princess and talk. Not even about issues as one would normally with a ruler, as Roy had previous experienced, but about regular, everyday things – the weather, how their families were doing, and if they had any far-off trips planned in the rest of the year to look forward to. Trips which would allow them to visit and experience other parts of their wonderful kingdom. Princess Riza would often enquire about where they were travelling to and would excitedly offer up suggestions for delightful cafes they should visit and shops they must stop at and peruse their wares.

She treated them as their equal. And while they still held the reverence and respect one should for the Princess, their conversation was easy, like between friends. Roy had witnessed it first hand as he’d walked by her side through the city. How easily she drew smiles from those she spoke with and how his heart would lurch, how his chest would burn with warmth, when they drew out her captivating laughter.

A sound which lit up his whole entire world, far brighter than a fire or the sun ever could.

Roy knew far more about the Forest Kingdom’s residents – connected more with them – than any other he had back in his childhood home.

A regrettable realisation, but the truth, nonetheless.

He knew this court’s politics also and was able to navigate it well. King Hawkeye had introduced him and gave him lessons. While the King was strict and diligent in his teachings, there was no malice behind it. Not like King Mustang. He’d taken time out of his own day to instruct Roy, to prepare him, and to give him a chance at navigating the kingdom he’d been thrust into against his will.

It had been the ultimate kindness King Hawkeye had shown him. An olive branch towards peace.

All his father had ever done was admonish. Shout. Glare.

He didn’t fight as well as his brothers.

He wasn’t as strong.

Roy was quicker, but that did not amount to much in his father’s eyes.

The skill had done nothing to save them.

He’d gotten one of them killed.

And now, Roy was being offered a place by Princess Riza's side once again. So easily and freely given. Effortlessly and so, so comforting after recent revelations within his own childhood home.

And Roy would take it. Grasp it with both hands eagerly in whichever and whatever capacity she was willing to give.

Anything Riza gave, Roy would take wholeheartedly.

Friendship, companionship… and dare he say it, fondness.

Love.

“I would like that.” His words stirred the silence between them, drawing Riza’s focus back to him. She did not reply, simply stared back at him. “I would like that very much.”

Riza’s smile warmed his chest. Roy felt he could breathe easier simply by seeing it.

“You have me, Roy. In everything.”

“Riza…” His heart was fit to burst. “You honour me.”

Her hands lifted to brush alongside his hairline once more. So tender, so soothing.

“It is no less than you deserve.”

Roy quickly sat up in his bed. The movement made his head spin, but he did not care a whit. It was dismissed as he stared into Riza’s concerned eyes.

Concern which was there for his wellbeing. For him, and him alone.

His luck felt astronomical.

“Thank you, Roy.” Her voice was no louder than a breath.

“What for, Riza?”

“For you endless assistance. Your support.” She cast her eyes downwards to watch her fingers play with the edge of the sheet beneath Roy. “And your loyalty. Not only to my kingdom – to my people – but to me.”

Roy lifted a hand to cup her cheek, to tilt it upwards so he was looking into her warm, caramel irises one more time. He would never have dared to do so beforehand, but the moment called for it.

It felt right.

It felt wonderful.

He stroked his thumb across the skin beneath her left eyelid – Roy took great delight in noticing how her eyelids fluttered closed after experiencing such a gentle touch – and buried his fingers within her hair. Roy gripped on tight to the back of her neck, never wishing to let go of his Riza, but would allow the slack for her to pull back if she wished.

She never did retreat.

Riza met his gaze head on and remained still, captivated within his eyes as he was hers.

“Only for you, Riza,” Roy finally announced.

Riza nearly melted against him. Roy felt her shudder beneath his hand and tip forward slightly. She managed to catch herself and inhaled sharply. Still, she maintained contact with him throughout. She never once looked away, never backed down. Never fled from him.

He loved her for it.

And Roy had loved her for a very, very long time.

It had started as a fondness which had blossomed into something marvellous. And now it had taken up residence within his heart and never wished to leave.

Roy’s love for Princess Hawkeye was now so deep rooted and never-ending. It would be something he’d carry with him forever, regardless of what happened between them today –

Roy needn’t have worried.

When he dipped his head instinctively, before he even fully realised what he was doing, Riza was already halfway towards meeting him.

And the rest of the entire world – all of their worries, their fears, their concerns for the future and their duties – fell away as their lips met. So softly and gently.

Riza let out a quiet whimper which had Roy groaning immediately in response. His grip on the back of her neck tightened ever so slightly, causing Riza to bring a hand to rest upon his pounding heart. She would be able to feel every thundering heartbeat beneath her palm, but Roy did not care. For it was real. It was how he truly felt whenever he was around her.

It was everything.

Everything he’d ever dreamed of, he’d ever wanted, Riza had granted him it and eagerly met him in response.

Within the quiet space of the makeshift infirmary, two heirs to two separate kingdoms embraced one another tightly, lost to each other completely.

Riza’s hands lifted to clutch at Roy’s biceps desperately. She breathed out deeply against his lips, eager to continue in their kiss, never to let go. Roy lifted his free hand to wrap around her back, to rest atop her spine and draw her body in close to his.

They did not know what the future held, what they may face, but what they did know is they had each other. They were so intertwined, so embedded within each other’s hearts, there would be no stopping them.

No separating them.

Chapter 20

Notes:

hiya all! apologies for the long wait. life is busy busy busy and will likely continue to be the same for the next month or so. it's all good and exciting things though :D so progress may be slow on this for a while. but i have set myself the goal to try and finish this before christmas so hopefully i can stick to that time frame. we'll see lmao

anyway, hope you enjoy the chapter! thank you to those who have stuck with this so far and for your patience <3

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“I feel fine,” Roy reassured Riza easily.

She wasn’t so easily convinced.

Especially after witnessing the state he arrived in a few days ago.

 “You’ve seen my performance while sparring,” Roy added. “There are no residual aches and pains. I’m back to fighting fit,” he quipped, shooting her a winning grin.

Yes, she had watched his sparring practice. Rather closely too – though she’d deny it if anybody asked.

The underground keep was hot and humid, leaving those who were inclined to exercise – and who were comfortable to do so – sparring bare-chested in an attempt to beat the heat. Roy was one who’d joined in with the practice and Riza had had a hard time tearing her gaze away as she watched on.

Roy appeared quite smug about the attention upon him too, no matter how much Riza schooled her features and her reaction as he sauntered up to her, skin glistening with sweat, and wearing a smile which softened his features only for her.

He was maddening.

“You will let us know if something flares up?”

She used “us”, echoing the earlier words of the Healer, but she really meant “me”.

Roy fisted his heart over his chest and bowed respectfully, as he’d done so many times before. “I promise, Your Highness, I will.”

Riza nodded her head, her concern mollified, but the use of her title still caused a sting to pierce her heart. It was quickly dismissed. Buried deep within her.

Now was not the time to dwell on such uncertainty.

Certainly not in such an open space.

“Will you walk with me a moment?”

“Of course.” Roy didn’t even pause to consider her request. He answered as if her request of him was outlandish. As if wherever she’d go, he’d follow without question. Always.

It had been a few days since their conversation in the infirmary. Riza, now arrived back by her father’s side, had been brought into his office and appraised on the situation. She’d been launched into planning with him almost immediately. Her hours were spent mainly pouring over maps and conversing with her father about strategies for both reclaiming their home and gaining supplies for their people.

They were due to ride out today for a supply run – the result of Riza’s concern for Roy.

Any spare moment outwith such a meeting with her father was taken up by sleep.

Although the beds were uncomfortable and basic, they were an extremely welcome change to the cold, hard ground. They were warm and safe which was all that mattered.

The first night Riza had been left to sleep for hours longer than she usually would have, obviously having needed it. Therefore, the chance of speaking to Roy and visiting him in the infirmary was taken up by time and the workload left to her, thanks to her father.

Of course, she didn’t begrudge it, she was willing to help. But she longed to see Roy once more to ascertain he was all right. That he was healing and he was all right.

Her people took care of him though. They treated him as if he had always been one of their own, and not the visiting Prince of their neighbouring kingdom.

Riza led Roy into an enclosed space – a small, empty area created by loading up vacant barrels on top of one another above head height which provided some privacy within the cave of the keep. Something which was severely lacking everywhere else.

Once within the confines of the barrel walls and finally alone Riza spun to face him. Roy watched her closely with concern written across his handsome face. He waited about three paces away, giving her space – ultimately, the last thing Riza wanted.

“You worry for me.”

His intuitiveness was welcome when Riza suddenly found herself struggling to voice her worries so plainly. It was not a practice she was used to – worrying over Roy’s wellbeing so openly and finding herself caring for him so deeply, then freely discussing it.

Riza nodded. “Of course I do.”

Roy’s expression softened and he took a tentative step closer within the walls.

He looked as unsure as her.

It was brand new territory for them both, after all.

His hands lifted to caress her biceps, as if he wanted to hold on to her tight, but they fell back to his sides without making full contact. Riza fought back the shiver the brief touch of their skin elicited.

“Of course?”

“I care about you, Roy.”

His expression morphed immediately.

“I want to ensure you are all right and are ready.” Riza swallowed. “Not just physically. I remember the story you revealed about the first… injury you received against our enemy. I want to make sure you are ready to face them once more, if necessary. That you are ready to go out there and won’t suffer for it. For my sake,” Riza added, forlornly. It troubled her, the thought he would place himself in harms way for her or her kingdom. It was not something she’d be able to live with if it caused lasting damage.

This time Roy’s hands lifted to grasp her upper arms. A small smile spread across Roy’s face, and he looked… elated.

“Why are you smiling?”

Roy’s laugh rumbled within his chest, and he shook his head. Riza was pulled into his embrace, which, of course, she went into willingly.

“Thank you, Riza.”

“What for?”

“For caring,” he replied simply. One of his hands ran up her back slowly and she curled into him further.

“Always, Roy,” she whispered against his leather-clad chest. “I always have.”

“You have?” He sounded surprised at her revelation.

Riza nodded. “It came so easily to me.” She swallowed. “Once I realised, it was obvious.”

He held her tighter.

“It has not been easy,” he murmured. “Fear froze my limbs when I came across the orcs once again. But an image of you flashed within my mind while I was stuck in place as they taunted me, four against one, and from that I was able to draw my strength.”

Riza felt a smile tug at her lips as she felt a kiss pressed against the top her head.

“The thought of you kept me fighting. It brought me home. It brought me back to you.”

Riza tipped her head up to meet his eyes. They were… breath-taking. Riza could hardly believe all the emotion she witnessed seeing within his dark irises were directed solely at her. And Roy’s eyes crinkled at the edges as he smiled. The smile did not spread the width of his face, it was small, but still mighty. It helped project all the emotions he felt towards Riza, and she was overwhelmed by it. She felt her heart swell within her chest, stutter, and could not resist angling her head so she could peck his lips gently.

When Riza started to pull away Roy made a low sound in the back of his throat in protest. He followed her, chasing her lips, and claimed them again in another, soft kiss. His lips lingered upon hers, charging each and every nerve ending within Riza’s body, causing her to melt into his embrace. As Riza relaxed against Roy’s arms held her tighter. She was squeezed affectionately against him, as if he never wished to let her go.

Once apart, their foreheads came to rest together.

“I am ready,” Roy whispered. “With you by my side, I could face anything, Riza Hawkeye.”

She felt a whimper build within her, but it never escaped. She let out a quiet sigh of contentment instead, simply happy to exist here in the same space as him.

Riza was so overwhelmed with adoration she felt for the man she loved, standing before her.

“And thank you for thinking of me. For caring so much.”

Riza reared back slowly and smiled languidly, wallowing in the joy which warmed her heart and spread throughout her entire being. She cupped his cheek and watched as Roy leaned into her touch and his eyes fluttered closed.

“I will always think of you, Roy.”

“Thank you,” he breathed. And Riza got the feeling this went far beyond simply her. She got the impression this was a deep-rooted fear within Roy, and, given her experience with Roy’s father, Riza could believe it.

He smiled and pressed a kiss against the inside of her wrist.

She’d show him every day how much she cared for him, how much she loved him, if that was what he needed.

Whatever he needed, she’d give it freely.


“Your kingdom is beautiful, Your Highness.” Breda’s eyes practically sparkled with excitement as he took in the scenery around him.

Riza’s heart swelled with pride at his praise. Even though she truly had nothing to do with the wilds of the forest, it still made her proud to hear it appreciated as it should be.

It was untamed. It was free.

It was beautiful.

Quieter than was usual, due to the orc’s presence within her lands, but the sunlight filtering through the trees still stunned the Fire Kingdom soldiers into silence.

The majority of those who rode with them were from the Fire Kingdom. Roy led his people by Riza’s side as an equal and with ease. They looked to him – and Riza when she commanded such attention – without question. And they blended so easily with Riza’s own people. Conversation was easy and enthusiastic as they swapped stories of their different kingdoms. Her people could hardly believe Roy’s as they described the fiery lands they called home. And Roy’s people marvelled and asked endless questions about her own and the creatures they were lucky enough to spy within.

“Thank you, Sir Breda.”

“It is a marvel.” He inclined his head respectfully. “Thank you for allowing us this opportunity.”

“Of course, Sir Breda. It is a joy to be able to show it to others.”

“I will be sure to tell this tale to the Duchess,” he chuckled. “She will be thrilled.”

Lord Fuery had been stunned into silence also. His mouth was sure to begin trapping flies if he allowed it to hang open any longer. From atop his horse he peered over its neck to observe the plants they walked by and Riza had heard him muttering to himself. He was enthralled and Riza didn’t have the heart to interrupt his musings, so left him to it. She’d check in with him later.

The further they travelled from the keep, the more subdued the group became. The initial excitement wore off and awareness and caution overtook its place. The air around them shifted, giving in to the effect of recent invasion.

It unsettled Riza.

They rode for an hour towards the quiet town of Riverwood before they were halted, just five miles shy of the usually sleepy town.

A blockade had been set up, made of sharpened trees trunks from recently felled trees and tied together with roughly strung sheep’s wool.

Two orcs stood at the blockade and stiffened as they approached. Their guttural cries filled the air as Riza halted before them, eyes filled with fire and anger towards the treatment of her land.

Seeing the barren lands around the road caused Riza’s blood to boil.

How dare they take what wasn’t theirs. How dare they cut down the trees of her kingdom to use them against her own people.

“Let us pass,” she commanded of the invaders.

The orcs battered the bottom of their staffs against the ground and didn’t relent on their hold on the roadblock.

“You refuse to step aside?”

One orc snarled at her. Both their eyes were filled with hate and their mouths twisted in response.

“So be it,” Riza growled. She raised her sword and without further announcement, the soldiers of the Forest Kingdom surged forward with a loud battle cry. Riza didn’t need to offer a word for them to charge and make a stand against those who’d tried to rob their lands from them.

Barely a second later, Sir Breda called the Fire Kingdom soldiers to action and they joined the fray alongside her people.

From the shelter of the trees a handful of other orcs sprang from nowhere, hidden from view in the hopes of an ambush, but their numbers were still no match for Riza’s group. She slid down from her horse and cut her way through those who had tried to capture her kingdom for their own gain.

She would never allow it. Not while her heart was still beating, and she still had the will to fight against them within her body.

With orc blood sprayed across her face, she was momentarily blinded during the incursion – and it cost her.

One orc suddenly loomed tall over Riza and raised their weapon. Their features were twisted into a cruel smile and their guttural growls caused a shiver to crawl down Riza’s spine. Even though she couldn’t understand them, she knew they promised pain and suffering based on instinct alone.

Riza’s heart leapt into her throat and threatened to stop beating all together –

But then it stuttered in uncertainty.

The orc’s body jerked, jagged sword still held aloft, as it fell towards the ground.

Unmoving.

Riza half expected it to continue fighting, but it fell and remained still. It didn’t even twitch.

Riza glanced up to see Roy. His eyes watched the Orc’s body as it lay still upon the ground. His chest heaved with exertion and his eyes were cold as he gazed down at the one who’d threatened to cut her down.

His eyes quickly flicked over to Riza to assess her condition and ensure she was all right. His shoulders relaxed once satisfied and she did the same to him. There was orc blood on his clothes, but he appeared unharmed.

She wished they could have taken a moment together, but the battle did not call for it. Roy met her gaze and offered one nod, which Riza returned, as he leapt back into the fray to protect her land from those who had invaded it.

To ultimately protect her, as he always had done so in the entire time Riza had known him.

It was time she returned the favour to him.

It would never have befitted the Princess to spar with her personal guard. That was unheard of and uncouth – however, Riza had never quite followed those expectations.

The castle weaponsmith was one of the most skilled teachers of the blade and had taught Riza everything she knew. But a soldier – a Prince – assigned to protect her? Riza knew she had more to learn from him. She had wanted to learn from Roy, to cover everything, in case there was something she was missing, or something new she could learn. She was always open to learning more and using it to her advantage, and who better to assist her in her endeavour than a Prince from a neighbouring kingdom?

And so, Riza did. She’d sparred with Roy, and they’d ended up teaching each other.

The battle was quick. There were no casualties on their side and only a few minor injuries. The orcs lay unmoving on the road as they counted the toll. Riza ordered the Healer they’d brought with them to see to those who needed it.

“What about yourself, Your Highness?” She cast a worried glance over her blood-soaked clothing.

She was an elderly woman. Riza guessed she would have been around the same age as her grandmother if she’d still been living. The Healer was almost stooped over and Riza had doubts about bringing someone who looked so frail along with them, but the woman had fought her a space on this supply run. She’d been adamant, Breda had said, and refused to back down. She’d brought her apprentice along with her, though. A tiny sprig of a girl, but who’s eyes burned with such ferociousness and had just as much blood on her clothing as Riza had. Apparently, she was also a protector for the woman, and had also been just as determined to find a spot on this mission.

It left Riza feeling very curious about their story, but there had been no time for that discussion. And it was not the place for it either.

“See to the others first before me.”

The Healer looked torn. The girl glanced uncertainly between them both.

Riza placed a placating hand on the woman’s shoulder. “I am all right for the time being. Only superficial injuries. I’m sure there are others who need your services more than I do.”

The woman bobbed her head in acceptance. “Of course, Your Highness.” She hurried off to see to a groaning Fire Kingdom soldier who’d been propped against a tree by the side of the road. His body rocked gently from side to side as he clutched his thigh and Breda watched over him worriedly.

“Riza?”

She turned and came face to face with Roy.

Riza felt herself exhale and her shoulders relax as he returned to her side.

“Are you okay?”

Riza nodded. She wiped the blood from her cheek with the sleeve of her shirt. Most of the blood on her was not her own.

Roy’s hand cupped her jaw, his thumb brushed across Riza’s cheek, and it momentarily arrested her. She was frozen in time – suspended – enjoying the sensation of him caressing her skin in the way she’d so desperately desired.

It made her feel cared for. Loved. Cherished.

He stepped forward into her space and rested his forehead against hers. Riza felt her eyelids flutter closed as he exhaled slowly.

“Are you certain?” He sounded strained.

“I am. None of this is my own blood.”

She felt him slump and Roy pulled back. Pride was present on his face as he gazed down at her.

“And you?”

He nodded. “I am well. Come on,” Roy urged.

And finally, Riza realised he’d called her by her first name. He’d dropped the incessant ‘Your Highness’. He spoke to her as an equal. As a friend. As a lover.

Elation lightened Riza’s limbs and enveloped her bones upon the realisation.

“A scout has arrived back and reported there are survivors ahead in Riverwood.”

Riza’s heart rate picked up with hope. They’d expected supplies, but survivors? More of her people were alive?

She clutched at Roy’s forearm to halt him in place. “Truly?” She cleared her throat so her voice would come more easily to her.

His smile was as hopeful as she felt. “Yes. But we need to move fast. There may be more fighting ahead.”

“Ready the horses. I will see to our soldiers.”

Roy nodded and strode off, calling to Lord Fuery to get the horses regrouped.

Riza advised those who were injured to retreat back to the castle. A handful of soldiers who were well enough would escort them back and send word of the arrival of potential survivors from Riverwood. This news perked everyone up and smiles grew on tired faces. It renewed their energies and without a word of encouragement they already started making their way towards the horses to help Roy and Lord Fuery.

“Go back with them,” Riza told the Healer. “See them well once more and make arrangements for the newcomers.”

“There are truly more survivors, Your Highness?” She looked close to tears.

“I have nothing confirmed yet, but a scout reported there may be.”

She choked and pressed a hand to her lips. “My –” Her lips pursed and she silenced herself. Her apprentice immediately lifted her arms around her shoulders and tucked the woman into her side. She shushed her quietly and murmured something too low for Riza to hear properly.

“What is it?”

The Healer exhaled and steadied her breath. Her aged hands continued to shake, though. “My son,” she whispered. “He lives in Riverwood with his wife and children. He is a captain in the guard.” Her tears threatened to spill over. “I never found out what happened when –”

Riza placed a hand on her shoulder. “You have my word that I will find out what happened to him,” Riza promised. It pained her that her people were going through this. That families had been torn apart and were suffering with the unknown.

She’d do everything within her power to bring them all peace.

“I know you will, Your Highness.” She shot Riza a watery smile. It wavered on her face but held. “And thank you. For offering to try.”

Riza squeezed her shoulder in comfort. It was not a lot to offer – it was not enough – but it was something.

“What is his name,” Riza questioned. “Who should I look for?”

“Vato Falman.”

“My father,” the apprentice by her side added. Her voice cracked on the last word and her resolve finally broke. Her face threatened to crumple but the girl shored up her emotions and managed to school her expression. She tried to remain strong – probably for her grandmother’s sake also – but all Riza could think about was how they shouldn’t have to do such a thing.

Riza intimately knew the feeling of not knowing if one’s father was still alive or not. Her heart hurt for these two and determination settled upon her bones. It burrowed in deep as she solidified her vow.

“You have my word,” Riza promised. “I will search for him and wont rest until I have answers for you both. I promise.”

Notes:

edit: the town name has been changed. i got the name mixed up with what i intended hahaha so i've changed it to what it was initially supposed to be

Chapter Text

Riza was on edge.

Roy was very aware of the fact as he rode by her side.

With the imminent and obvious threat of the Orcs banished for the moment, the tension within the world around them had diminished, but only slightly. Roy didn’t feel as though he would be called into battle at any second, but he did feel an undercurrent of... something within the air. Like all was not quite right, and there was something lying in wait ahead of them, waiting to pounce and strike.

Roy didn’t like it.

“Search the village,” Riza commanded of her people. “The entirety of Riverwood needs to be searched before we leave here.”

The prospect didn’t sit well with him. Roy didn’t know why, couldn’t pinpoint the reason for his unease, so remained quiet as Riza’s soldiers – and his from the Fire Kingdom, who followed her instructions so effortlessly – began their sweep of the ghost town before them.

“Something bothers you.”

Riza’s gaze remained facing ahead, watching the soldiers enter each of the closed off houses and buildings.

“It does.”

“What is it?” Her voice had softened as she asked her question and Roy found himself admiring how she could be both commander and a person at the same time. Both Princess Riza, Her Majesty, and just Riza – a person who was concerned for the people she cared about.

“And do not insult me by saying I should not worry about it,” she added with a wry smile. Her eyes slid over towards him, her head turning to meet his gaze. “I would like to believe we are both passed that now, aren’t we?”

“You know me too well, Your Highness,” Roy quipped.

She exhaled forcefully through her nose. Not entirely a laugh, but the tension within her shoulders did ease, which Roy counted as a win.

“I would never lie to you, Riza. I hope you know that.”

Her head swivelled immediately back to face him. “Of course I do, Roy.”

He nodded. “I do not like how easy it was to gain access to the town,” Roy admitted. “Not after witnessing the road block we did.”

Riza nodded. “I feel the same. You are not alone in that matter, I assure you.” Her gaze swept over the soldiers searching the small riverside town. “Still, we must search. If an attack is waiting for us, we shall be ready.”

Roy nodded. He had nothing more to say on the matter.

Thankfully, no attack came. There was no disturbance as the soldiers searched and searched, finding no one awaiting rescue from the invaders – much to Riza’s dismay.

When Breda – who’d easily and naturally taken up a command position within the ranks – reported there was no one left here, Riza nodded but Roy could tell she didn’t accept it.

Riza was determined there had to be someone left here.

Whether that was simply wishful thinking talking or not, Roy wasn’t sure.

Still, she dismounted her horse and started walking ahead without another word.

Of course, Roy followed her. He was by her side in an instant, leaving a surprised Breda behind as she marched wordlessly into the unknown.

Riza headed for the town’s guardhouse.

“Riza –” Roy’s quiet warning fell on deaf ears as the door within the town guard’s quarters swung open, leading down a set of stairs to a room Roy knew would be filled with holding cells. He gripped onto the pommel of his sword tightly, just in case.

Roy heard a very quiet whimper from beyond, hidden away within the darkness.

It was very quickly muffled.

Riza descended first without hesitation. Roy had started to protest, but the fearful sound from below halted and distracted him before he could voice his thoughts. They crept into the darkened space of the room below. It was so dark, Roy lost sight of her within the lack of light, which sent his heart rate spiking.

There was the faint smell of smoke which tightened his grip on his sword. He did not know why that would be present and the thought of fire suddenly consuming this enclosed space set him on edge.

“Is anyone there?”

Riza’s call went unanswered.

“I wish to help,” she added after a few beats of silence. “My name is Riza Hawkeye.”

Numerous gasps sounded throughout the dark space. There was a shuffle of feet and the strike of a match. The next thing Roy knew they were bathed in a soft glow from a single matchstick.

“Your Highness...” The title was whispered reverently and then candles were lit by a number of others.

Roy’s eyes blinked as he adjusted to the change in the darkness, to find twenty bodies crammed within the space below ground.

That explained the smell of smoke. They must have quickly extinguished their light source when they heard the footsteps above them.

“We are here to help you. I promise.”

A quiet murmur filled the space below the guardhouse.

“Captain Falman,” Riza tried, calling out to someone. Roy could hear the hope in her voice he was here.

A man stepped forward from the group dressed in a town guards uniform. He unlocked the cell they’d barricaded themselves in and stepped outside it.

His armour was leather with the kingdom’s crest emblazoned across his chest. Accents of green were threaded throughout the supple, brown leather and the sword by his hip was encased in a sheath of a similar style. His hair was a grey mop atop his head, but the sides were black and cut short. He sported a short beard which looked unkempt – possibly due to days of hiding away down in these cells.

“I am Captain Falman, Your Highness.” He stepped forward and bowed low, which she quickly bid him to rise.

“What happened here, Captain?”

“An ambush. They appeared from nowhere. Took us by surprise and overwhelmed us.” He bowed his head in shame. “I apologise, Your Highness.”

“Captain?” Riza waited until he lifted his head again to speak. “There is nothing to apologise for. They ambushed us all. Have you been down here ever since?”

He nodded. “The King sent word of strategies we could use to safely hide away, should another invasion come.”

The King had done that for Riverwood?

Had he done it for every town?

“This was our safest option. The Orcs cannot scent us if we’re below ground and the cells were a precaution. The bars are strong, Your Highness, and they can keep anything within them.” He paused. “They can keep an Orc out, too.”

Roy picked up on the tone he used when he added the final part.

He was speaking from experience.

“We gathered as many as we could in the chaos but unfortunately,” Captain Falman continued, sounding forlorn, “we couldn’t retrieve everyone.”

Roy watched as Riza stepped forward and lightly clasped the captain’s forearm. She offered him a sad yet understanding smile.

“Thank you for all your hard work, Captain. You saved as many people as you could, and still to this day, we are finding more survivors. All hope is not lost for them.”

The man swallowed and nodded, accepting her words. “Thank you, Your Highness.”

The loss of the people from this town was weighing heavily on this man’s shoulders, his mind, but with her kindness, Riza had eased the burden for him ever so slightly. He was not alone in his suffering too. Roy knew Riza felt the same way regarding her people and those who were still missing.

“We can provide you with safe passage back to the castle. To safety. My father has gathered most of our people there. Is anyone injured?”

Captain Falman shook his head. “No one.”

“Okay, good. We have Healers within the castle’s keep on standby should anyone need it. Once inside, make yourself at home,” Riza announced to the room. “There are plenty of supplies for everyone to have access to, and it is safe.”

An excited murmur rumbled through the small room as Captain Falman bowed low.

Hope now filled the hearts of these people.

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

“Rise, Captain. I would like you to ride aside Sir Breda of the Fire Kingdom on our return journey and appraise him of what happened here, if you wouldn’t mind?”

He hesitated, looking suddenly torn.

“Captain?” Riza cocked her head in question when she noted his change in demeanour.

“Thank you, Your Highness, for offering me the honour to do so. I am more than happy to relay all which has transpired, but I cannot leave here just yet.”

Riza’s brow furrowed, not understanding, but they were interrupted by the approach of a woman. She stepped up to Captain Falman’s side and rested a hand in the crook of his elbow. As soon as he felt her presence, the captain turned his attention to her.

“Vato?” Her voice was filled with desperation.

“I am informing them as we speak, love.” His expression and voice softened as soon as he spoke.

“What is it?”

He looked pained as he returned his attention to Riza. “Please, Your Highness. It is my son.”

“Is he all right?”

“He left on a supply run for us.” He dipped his head in shame. “The boy is determined and wished to help. He is so headstrong, you see, and fleet footed – he was always able to slip through these woods undetected. He and another older two boys were leaving and fetching food for us. He still has not returned, and I will not be leaving without him.”

Fear weighed heavily upon the man for the wellbeing of his son and Roy knew they would not be returning to the keep any time soon. Not without the boy in tow and reunited with his family.

“What’s his name,” Riza questioned. “How old is he? What does he look like?”

“Arran Falman, Your Highness. He is twelve, about this height –” He held out his hand at about chest level – “with brown hair. Longer on the top with short, shaved sides – like mine.”

Riza nodded thoughtfully. Roy could already see the cogs turning within her mind, planning. “Where were they headed?”

“An old farm outside Whiterun. It was abandoned after the attacks but still held plenty of food.”

“We can go, Your Highness,” Roy offered.

It would benefit them too, as they still needed to find food. Their trip to Riverwood for supplies didn’t go as planned, so by searching for the boy and detouring to the farm, they’d still be able to find what they initially came searching for.

“It isn’t far,” the captain offered. “Not even an hour’s walk away. I can take us straight there.”

The man was desperate, now, but little did he know that of course, Riza would help them. Roy could see it plain as day on her face. She was simply enquiring about the details of the new task ahead of them.

“We came here looking for supplies, so if this farm has them, we can still bring some home.”

Riza glanced over at him with a smile on her lips. “We will be going. Of course we will be, do not fret about that, Captain. We will bring your son and his friends home with us.”

The woman clinging to the captain’s arm faltered with relief and she sucked in a deep breath as she pressed a hand to her mouth. A smile spread across the captain’s face, and he gripped onto his wife’s hand tightly.

“Tell Sir Breda of the change of plans,” Riza added, looking to Roy. “He is to escort these people back to the keep with the contingent we brought with us. Lord Fuery will accompany us to find the boy and his companions.”

Roy inclined his head in acceptance and started up the stairs without another word.

“My Prince!”

Roy blinked in the bright light of the day as his eyes adjusted after being in the candlelit dark. Breda had been standing by a blacksmith’s forge but was now striding over to meet with him.

“Did you find anyone?”

He nodded. “They had been hiding beneath the guardhouse.”

Breda grinned, pleased their excursion had been a success.

“Did you find anymore supplies around the town?”

“A few blankets and more barrels of grain. Shall we take them back to the keep?”

“Yes. There is no need for them to remain here as there are about twenty people below ground who we will be escorting back. The more we are able to find, the better off we all shall be.”

“I will see to it immediately, My Prince.”

“There is to be a change of plans as well, Breda.”

Breda paused as he turned to walk away. “A change, My Prince?”

“There are some children missing.”

Breda stiffened in alarm.

“We shall be going with the Captain of the town guard to find his son and his friends.”

He’d turned from relieved to alert. Ready for action. “Do you require any assistance, My Prince?”

Roy shook his head. “The Princess wishes for Lord Fuery to accompany us, but she’d like you to guide these people back to the keep safely.”

“Of course.” Breda fisted his hand over his heart and bowed low. “I will organise their protection immediately.”

That’s what Roy liked about Breda. He could tell he was concerned about this new development but did not argue against orders or insist on being a part of it. He trusted the decisions made and fell into whatever role the people around him needed him to be.

“Thank you, Sir Breda.” And Roy meant it wholeheartedly. He had never known Breda well growing up. His father had never allowed him to interact with the guards, even while training, but Roy was glad they had him on their side. Breda was trustworthy and an excellent swordsman to have with them.

Roy was glad he was here with them.

“Anything for you and the Princess, My Prince.” He bowed low and strode away, already calling out orders to the lingering soldiers within the town. They snapped to attention and eagerly sprang into action as soon as they had their orders.

Roy was really glad his aunt had found these people. They were loyal and eager to help. It was a blessing to have, and one Roy had never really dreamed he’d find with his father’s soldiers. After the stories he’d been told, Roy was certain they wouldn’t have had this camaraderie with the men and women his father had initially assigned to this trip.

Not that they would have even made it this far, Roy thought bitterly.

His thoughts were interrupted by Riza’s presence by his side. She’d stepped out into the sunlight and reacted the same as Roy had – her face screwed up slightly as she blinked furiously, waiting for her eyes to adjust. Roy’s heart clenched within his chest then swelled as he watched her. Her reaction was rather endearing.

He exhaled and forced himself to relax.

Things were going well. And they had lost children to find. It would do him well not to dwell on his dire past or his father.

With Riza by his side, it was so easy to cast it aside. To focus on the present. To focus on her.

“Breda is rounding up our soldiers,” Roy explained softly. “He will see the townspeople back to the keep safely.”

Roy heard her exhale softly in relief. “Good.”

He watched her closely as she looked around the town at the flurry of activity happening around them.

“We will find the boy, Riza,” he murmured lowly.

Her eyes quickly lifted to find his and offered him a tiny smile. “I hope we do.”

She was worried about them. Natural, given the current climate of the world around them, but even more so given Falman son’s age. But, desperate times called for desperate measures, and there was no doubt in Roy’s mind these people had been desperate, trapped beneath the ground and hiding from the prowling enemy above.

While they were still alone Roy reached for her hand. He squeezed Riza’s hand tight and watched as some of the tension slid off her shoulders.

“I am glad you are here, Roy,” she admitted. Her voice was only just louder than a whisper.

“There is nowhere else I’d rather be, Riza.”

Her smile came easier to her this time and Roy’s heart skipped a beat at such a radiant sight.


As Falman said, the farm was not far from Riverwood. The entire area was eerily quiet as they rode silently towards the collection of buildings.

The outbuildings consisted of a wooden windmill which was not currently in use. The barn was empty when they searched it but there had been evidence of animals living there previously. They dismounted their horses and left them there, giving them a chance to eat the hay left over from the previous occupants. Roy, Riza, and Falman started towards the main house as Fuery topped up the horse’s troughs with fresh water.

The fields they walked through were not large. It looked as though it had been a small family farm, run by only a few capable hands, but there had been plenty of plots. The vegetables had been harvested from the ground. Where they’d been planted hadn’t been maintain after harvesting though. The spots had been left vacant and empty, open to the elements. Whether it had been a rush job from quick hands like Falman’s son and his friends, or if the Orcs had simply not cared and taken whatever they saw as they passed by, Roy wasn’t sure. The same could be said for the apple and pear trees lining the pathways up towards the house. They were mostly bare. All that had been left upon the branches was the rotten fruit.

Roy froze and his hand shot to his sword when he heard a sound from within the farmhouse. His hand shot out to the side to halt Riza and Falman in their approach.

Straining forward he listened for something, anything, but there was no further movement to be heard.

The house’s door had been left propped open. Although sturdy, it had been knocked off one of its hinges and creaked pitifully in the gentle breeze.

Falman exhaled steadily behind them both.

“Movement from within,” Roy murmured lowly.

Riza nodded and silently extracted her sword. Roy did the same. After a glance at Falman he nodded after a brief pause and steadied his own weapon.

Roy picked up on how Falman’s hands shook in his worry.

The situation did not look good. Orcs had been here at some point. Three young lads couldn’t have done this damage. The question was, were they still here? Would they walk into a nightmare?

Roy prayed, for Falman’s sake, the latter would not be the case.

Steeling himself, Roy started forward and approached the house first.

The door creaked so loudly when Roy pushed it open he cringed and froze. He gripped his sword tighter but there was no reaction or sound from within.

“I’ll go high.” Roy glanced up the stairs to the first floor and scanned the space. It was a tight stairway. He’d be boxed in with limited movement if something was to spring out at him, but he’d rather put himself in that position than the Princess. Both for his own, selfish reasons and it simply made sense as her personal guard.

“We’ll stay low.” Riza took off with Falman to search the ground floor.

Thankfully, no one jumped out at Roy as he ascended.

With his heart thundering within his ears he opened the door to the last room he had to search on the first floor.

It was a bedroom. The sheets on the bed were rumpled and left in a heap. Whoever had slept here last had left in a hurry. And they were dirtied with mud and faint grass stains. Clothes were half hanging out of drawers and there was an odd number of shoes littering the floor.

Movement above caught Roy’s eye. His head snapped up to the roof beams to meet the terrified eyes of a young boy hiding amongst the straw used as insulation for the roof.

He looked about twelve years old.

Long brown hair atop his head and short on the sides.

Another face popped up, looking alarmed, with golden hair and golden eyes.

“The door!”

Roy spun and lifted his sword. It clanged loudly against the steel of another blade. He was pressed backwards and lost his footing as he tripped over a shoe on the floor. The air escaped his lungs in a rush as his back thumped heavily against the wooden floorboards.

The man was on him immediately. Long, dirty hair fell forward across his face, which was hidden behind a grey bandana. All Roy could see were wild eyes, filled with determination to kill him.

Roy lifted a knee which collided with the man’s side. He let out a pained oof and let up on his hold of Roy. It was enough so he could roll to the side and out form underneath him. Roy sprang easily to his feet and looked down at the struggling man on the floor.

It wasn’t enough they had to deal with Orcs, but bandits, too?

“Hide!” Roy barked at the two lads hiding amongst the rafters. He had every intention of winning this altercation and he did not wish for the boys to witness the bloody scuffle if they did not have to.

Given the assailant’s sloppy movements, it would be over quickly anyway.

With the upper-hand, Roy easily dispatched the man. He fell with a thud to the floor and didn’t move. Roy reached for his sword and threw it away so it landed outside the bedroom door. Circling the body it was clear the man would not be rising again.

Footsteps thundered across the wooden flooring and Roy lifted his sword once more. He was still trying to catch his breath after being winded in the fall, but held steady. He placed himself between the door and the bed, ready to defend the boys hiding above if need be.

When Riza appeared in the doorway Roy relaxed immediately. She looked fearsome. Ready to take on the world. Her eyes roved over him quickly to assess his condition. Then she noticed the unmoving form on the floor.

She shot him a look. “Are you all right?”

Roy nodded. “I found our wayward travellers.”

Falman hurried into the room and frantically searched the space.

“Come on out now,” Roy called. “It’s safe.”

A fearful set of eyes peeked over the edge of the wooden beam, but the boy’s head popped up when he spotted his father.

“Papa!”

Falman’s head snapped up and his body shuddered with relief. “Arran!”

The captain hadn’t been lying when he said his son was fleet footed. Nimbly he swung himself over the beam and swung down to the floor in a fluid movement. Then he ran straight into his waiting father’s arms.

Falman swept the boy into a tight hug, lifting him clean off the floor.

Roy couldn’t help but feel a surge of relief and joy, knowing they’d reunited the two.

“Who else do we have up there,” he called. There had definitely been another boy up there with Arran.

Two sets of golden eyes peered down at them. Both golden haired too. One looked elated as he grinned down at his friend while the other on the left eyed Roy suspiciously.

“Who are you?”

Roy blinked up at the boy. He let out a quiet laugh at his bluntness. “Prince Roy Mustang, of the Fire Kingdom. Accompanied by Princess Riza Hawkeye of the Forest Kingdom and Arran’s father, Captain Falman.”

The boy to the right blanched while the one who’d spoken paled, and his face fell.

Roy stifled his laugh.

“What’s your name?”

The boy coughed and looked slightly sheepish, but the wariness was still present within his eyes as he met Roy’s.

“Edward Elric. This is my younger brother, Alphonse.”

Chapter 22

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Captain Falman’s wife nearly bowled her son over as she rushed to his side once they were within the safety of the keep. He was swept into her arms and squeezed tightly – so tightly, he squawked as the air was pressed from his lungs. But he did not complain. Instead he clutched his mother equally tight and screwed his eyes shut, burying his face into her shoulder. One would wonder if the lad would cower away and complain about such an open show of affection, but Riza had seen the fear stark across his young face when they’d found his group in the loft space. He was grateful to be home, safe, and within his mother’s arms. It overrode every other emotion.

It was not a hard conclusion to come to either. The boy had practically clung to his father’s side as they rode with haste back home.

Riza was glad this had been the outcome. It made her heart happy to know they’d been reunited, and the worst had not come to pass.

The Captain’s mother was full of praise and thanks for Riza and Roy upon their return. She’d squeezed each of their hands and offered endless thanks as she embraced her son, proclaimed if there was anything she could do for them, anything at all, she’d be at their beck and call within an instant. At any hour. Despite the reassurances that would not be necessary at all, the woman insisted as she tearfully clung to her son. It was such a similar sight to the Captain’s son and his wife, it warmed Riza’s heart even more. She nodded and graciously accepted the old woman’s thanks, giving up fighting against it.

Riza left them to their rejoicing and slipped silently away to give them a moment of privacy.

“You have no one?”

Riza’s head swivelled around and pinpointed Roy, following the sound of his voice.

“We have each other.”

He was speaking with the two brothers they’d picked up on their travels to the old farm. The eldest had his chin jutting out proudly while the other looked uncertain by his side. Alphonse’s fingers wrung together underneath the scrutiny.

She watched as Roy’s shoulders relaxed at the realisation they were alone in the world.

Riza supposed he’d be able to sympathise with the feeling.

“You are welcome here,” he offered. “We can offer you shelter and protection –”

“We don’t need protection,” the eldest spat. He clenched his fists by his sides and glared defiantly up at Roy.

It reminded Riza of a cornered, wounded animal. And scared. All three boys had looked frightfully down at their group when they’d come across them. Who knows what they had witnessed in their time alone wandering the wilds under Orc occupation.

“Ed,” the younger whispered fretfully, pulling at his brother’s sleeve.

When Roy lifted his hands in surrender, Riza stepped in.

“As he said,” she interjected, “you are both welcome here. You will be safe – you have the crown’s protection, I swear it. If you need anything, you only have to ask.”

Edward cast a wary glance towards her, but his golden eyes did not look quite to distrustful.

Roy huffed to himself – only loud enough so Riza could hear – when he did not protest against her as he had Roy. Riza felt the corners of her mouth twitch upwards but quashed any amusement. It would not be productive here.

“Lord Havoc?”

The man was by her side almost in an instant, answering the call immediately.

“Yes, Your Highness?”

“Would you mind showing the Elric brothers to where they can rest and find some food?”

He tilted his head in acceptance. “Of course I wouldn’t mind, Your Highness.”

“Lord Havoc will help you both get settled.”

“If you require anything, you need only ask,” Lord Havoc repeated Riza’s sentiment back to them. He lifted a hand to indicate for them to walk ahead. “I will ensure you are well fed, do not fear,” he grinned.

Although still wary, Edward accepted and hesitantly went with him, Alphonse tagging along by his side.

“Was it how I said it?”

Riza snorted at Roy’s quiet grumble to himself when they were finally out of earshot.

“You were perfect,” she replied as they started to walk away.

The beaming smile upon his face and the slightly puffed out chest caused Riza to reconsider the words she’d spoken.

She couldn’t let his ego get too big, after all.

“Perfect?” He smirked lazily at her.

He was like a preening peacock.

Riza narrowed her eyes. “Do not allow my praise to go to your head, Prince Mustang.”

“I would never dream of it, Your Highness.”

She elbowed him gently in the side and was rewarded with a rather exaggerated oof for her efforts.

“I think they are frightened,” Riza added quietly once they were closer to the sleeping quarters. Her father had already told her to rest for the time being and he’d call on her soon to speak about other matters they needed to see to around their kingdom.

“I think so too.”

All joking was dropped between them now as they spoke of the two newest additions to the keep.

“The oldest – Edward – alerted me to the attacker in the room. How he knew he was there when I did not see him, I am not certain.” Roy shook his head. “I dread to think what could have happened if they were left alone any longer.”

Riza’s features softened as she noted how concerned he sounded on the boys behalf.

“Thank you, Roy.” Her reply was quiet. It was spoken so softly he automatically leaned an ear toward her to hear better.

“You need not thank me, Riza.”

Riza’s “bedroom” – a small, private space closed off by walls of stone in a nook within the keep and concealed by a sheep’s wool blanket hanging from the ceiling – appeared before them. Roy slowed to a stop, no doubt to leave her in peace, but she gently tugged him within to talk.

Once inside, Riza turned and lifted a hand to cup his cheek. Roy’s eyes fluttered closed at the gentle touch and turned his face further into her palm.

“I know I do not have to, Roy, but perhaps I want to. You continue to look out for my people, and I am grateful for it.”

He was silent for a beat or two before his eyelids batted open. He pressed a kiss against her palm. “I often think of them as my people too,” he admitted. His cheeks even took on a pinkish hue with his confession.

Riza’s smile widened. “I am glad that you do.”

Roy’s eyebrows lifted with surprise.

“I am uncertain how to express how much such a sentiment means to me. I told you, you will always have a place here, Roy, and by my side. My Prince,” she murmured as she stroked a thumb across his cheekbone.

Roy’s eyes fluttered closed as his exhale shuddered out of him.

“My King.”

When his eyes opened they blazed with a scorching heat. Even as further surprise clouded his eyes, causing them to widen.

You have me, Roy. In everything.

“Riza…” The breathy whisper of her name lifted the hair from her skin. It prickled and lifted her flesh.

The press of his lips against hers was so gentle Riza was wondering if it were even present. It was featherlight and she felt herself inevitably falling forward and into his arms for even more, as they wrapped tightly around her trembling frame. She clutched at the lapels of his jacket and clung on tight, elbows squashed together and pressed against his solid chest. She held herself against him desperately, pulling him even closer and wishing she could live within his presence forever, never spending a moment apart.

Roy pressed his forehead against hers as their panting breaths mingled together, heating the tiny, shared space between them

“Truly?” His question was uttered so quietly there was no risk of any passer-by from hearing it.

“Truly,” Riza confirmed.

He kissed her again. Just as passionately as the last.

“I don’t… I cannot…”

Riza smiled to herself at his stilted speech. It appeared she’d left him lost for words, and Riza had to admit, the feeling was a pleasant one.

“Have I surprised you, My Prince?”

“Stunned me,” he murmured. A kiss was pressed to Riza’s forehead and when she pulled away from him she saw nothing by love and adoration shining through his gaze. “Quite completely.”

Riza let out a laugh and wrapped an arm around his neck in an embrace. She pressed a palm against the skin of his neck, right at his nape, while her other was used to steady herself and was placed upon Roy’s shoulder. Riza found her knees feeling rather weak after the kiss they’d shared, so was not above using her rock, her love, as a pillar of strength.

“I never expected…”

She lifted onto her tiptoes and pressed a kiss against his cheek. “I could picture no one else by my side than you.”

Arms snaked around her waist and drew her in close. Riza pressed a cheek into his shoulder and clutched at the back of his neck even tighter. Her other arm snaked beneath his and clutched at his lower back.

“You landed within my life unexpectedly, however I have come to the conclusion it has been a rather pleasant experience.”

He barked out a laugh. “Just ‘rather pleasant’,” he teased.

“Of course. I cannot have My King’s ego growing too large after all, for I will be the one left to manage it.”

His torso shook with his laughter and Riza grinned as she heard it rumble beneath her cheek.

“My love, you honour me.”

“And you do the same to me, My Prince.”

They remained in place. Existing together. Happy together. Holding one another as the confession, the reveal, washed over them both and leaving each feeling weightless. As if they could float up to the roof of the keep and never be brought down.

After all they had endured – the hardship, the loss of her kingdom, and the separation caused by unfair, tyrant fathers – they were finally together. Whole.

“Stay with me a while?”

“Riza, I could not bring myself to part from you after this news, even if you asked it of me.”

She laughed against his shoulder and pulled back. Their lips met with all the love she felt held for him within her heart.

“Thank you.”

“It is an honour, my Riza.”

She arched an eyebrow. “‘Your’ Riza?”

His smile was so boyish it halted her heart. “If you proclaim me as your Prince, as your King,” he added in a low whisper, “then I must admit, now I am hard pressed to let you go.”

“My heart will only ever be yours, Roy.”

“And mine will always belong to you, Riza,” he murmured, stooping his head to press another kiss against her lips. “Until the end of our days.”


Riza was jolted awake from her slumber. It felt as though the whole world was shaking beneath her but was not sure how such a thing was possible. They were underground. There was nothing and no one beneath them.

A flash of fear threatened to abruptly still her pounding heart as she thought back to the invasions she’d lived through within the castle.

“Riza? Riza.”

The call broke through her memories. She turned her head and came face to face with Roy.

“You are all right,” he whispered. He pressed his forehead against hers, hard. “You’re safe.”

It was enough to slow her racing mind and sprinting heart.

“What is happening?”

“I do not know.” His expression was grim. “Let us find out.”

They’d fallen asleep together. Both had lay upon her tiny bed, still fully clothed, and fallen into a blissful sleep. Riza had rested her head against Roy’s chest and allowed his heartbeat to lull her to sleep. It hadn’t been intended to fall into a slumber, but lying in that cramped bed with Roy, it felt natural. Her soul was completely settled and at peace, it was inevitable.

Now their peace had been shattered.

Both exited the small room and into chaos.

No, controlled chaos.

Soldiers were swarming the keep and making a beeline for their posts. Some barked orders and, in contrast, helpfully directed her people to the safe space allocated to them and guarded by another contingent of soldiers. Civilians moved swiftly – expressions as grim as Roy’s had been within her bed – but with purpose and without complaint. Children were tugged along by urgent mothers and fathers as they moved to the back of the keep, farthest from the entrance.

Sir Breda was in the throng and shouting for the Fire Kingdom soldiers to ensure the safety of her people.

“See everyone to safety,” he ordered with authority to those under his command. His voice carried impressively over the noise of the movements around him. “Report back to me once your assignment is complete. Together, we ride with the Forest Kingdom to conquer those who took our Prince from us.”

An agreeable roar sounded before they split off in different directions, scattering around the keep to predetermined areas.

Riza blinked as she took it all in.

“Come on,” Roy urged. His hand trailed gently down her arm then took hold of her hand. The gentle urge of his hand in hers was enough to get her legs operating. They both hurried towards her father’s office.

When they were only a short distance away Riza saw him sweep out the entranceway, his face set in steely determination and completely covered in armour. His sword hung proudly upon his hip, his forest green cape fluttering with his focused movements, as he strode towards the entrance of the keep.

“Father!”

His head whipped around, worried eyes scanning the rabble of people before finally finding her. His relief was evident and it allowed Riza to breathe easier.

“What is happening?”

“Gather your weapons,” he instructed, first looking at Riza and then at Roy.

“Your Highness?”

“It’s the Orcs.”

Riza felt her stomach seize and she inhaled sharply. Her poor heart stuttered within her chest before slowing to a thud, which seemed to sound deafeningly within her ears.

“It is time we make our stand. Once and for all.”

Notes:

:)

Chapter Text

“I will lead the charge.” The King announced their strategy to the soldiers gathered around him. There were a lot more than the keep seemed to house, which boosted Roy’s confidence. He was not entirely sure where these extra numbers had come from, but he would not dispute or question it. The stronger their forces, the better their chances.

The King continued to dish out orders and Roy listened in. He needed to know every detail. Where their people were being directed to and what they would defend. What the weakest points were and how many numbers the King would set on protecting it. Fifty soldiers were being left behind in the Keep to defend the innocent. The keep was a fortress in itself, but King Hawkeye was taking no chances. Not after last time.

Riza stood by his side throughout it. She was focussed, determined, but restless. Her hands fidgeted, squeezing the pommel of her sword every so often as she hung on her father’s every word.

Roy understood her nervousness. Her fear. He shared it too. He did not wish to face the enemy which had haunted his dreams for the better part of a year. But he would do it. As his duty and to ensure the safety of this kingdom he’d been thrust into but had learned to love and call home. Same for the woman by his side.

“Riza?”

She turned to him, eyes wide and expectant as she waited for him to speak.

His rock. His Queen.

She looked as fearful as he felt.

“No more will be lost,” he promised. He snuck his fingers between hers and intertwined them tightly. No force on earth could pry them apart. “No more shall suffer as we have.”

Riza’s eyes scanned his face. Oh, how he loved those eyes. So colourful and bright, and filled with each piece of turmoil he was experiencing now as well.

Fear, for going up against the enemy who had tormented and terrorized them for over a year. Who’d brought so much destruction to their families and their lands. And anger. Rage for what had been stolen from them.

But they were not helpless now. They were not unprepared. And they would best them.

No more would be taken from them.

That was a vow Roy would fight his hardest to keep.

Riza nodded. She let her determination wash over her and steel her spine. She straightened her back and rolled her shoulders, readying her body and mind for a fight that was a long time coming, even if it had been sprung on them unexpectedly.

She was not alone now. She had the Fire Kingdom’s support. She had her own people, her own soldiers. She had Roy too, in everything.

Riza squeezed his hand. “Fight to the end, My King.”

The endearment caused Roy’s heart to jump within his chest. So high, it soared.

“Always, My Queen,” he promised her. “I will fight to return to your side.” Another vow he would fight tooth and nail to keep.

“As will I.”

At her agreement, Roy crushed his lips against hers. It was desperate, but not hopeless. It was hurried, but still gentle and loving, as he always was with her. He was unable to help himself. If they were going to be thrust into the unknown of war, he wanted their last moments together to be the sweetest.

Roy broke apart and pressed his forehead against hers. “I love you, Riza.”

She lifted a hand to cup his cheek. Her thumb swept over his skin. “I love you completely, Roy. My King.”

They stole another quick kiss then broke apart, striding towards the entrance of the keep as one to fight for their people. For their freedom. For the liberation of her kingdom.

To fight for their home.


They were immediately separated.

The fighting drew them both in different directions, but Roy saw Lord Havoc tailing Riza. She had back-up. Even though he’d rather it was him, that he was fighting by her side, Roy trusted Lord Havoc completely and had no qualms about putting his trust in him.

Roy was covered in orc blood and gore. Battered and bruised, but no wounds. He’d lost count of the number he’d cut through as the enemy had launched their assault on the castle.

He hadn’t seen the damage they’d left to the castle and its ground in their first raid. The courtyard which had previously flourished with plants of all different colours now lay in ruins. The flowers, which had been the late Queen’s passion, had been left trampled and beaten down, turned into mulch. The stone walls which had protected the city and its castle had been partly torn down. Huge stones lay littered across the ground, leaving the soldiers to have to either vault over them to defend their home, or work around them.

The orcs were taller though, so they could easily stand atop the boulders, granting them a better vantage of the battlefield.

They’d lost numbers as they’d traversed the courtyard.

Roy had made sure he stuck by Riza’s side then, but once they filtered out the main gates, they were apart.

He wiped his sword on the grass to free it of blood and glanced around him to take in the battlefield. He’d defeated most of the orcs who’d swarmed him. The fighting was a short way off, down the slope and away from the trees which lined the once lush forest. His eyes scanned the fighting to find his Queen, but he couldn’t. Roy gritted his teeth and muttered out a curse, feeling a panic rise within him at being unable to spot her.

A twig cracking in the forest beyond diverted his attention.

An Orc stepped out of the trees. It’s mouth was twisted in a cruel smile as it casually swung the blade by its hip.

Roy’s stomach dropped when he realised it was identical to the one which had speared him before. His breathing became shallower, and his heartrate quickened. It thundered inside his chest, threatening to burst out of his ribcage. Memories flashed within his mind and Roy took a step backwards instinctively to retreat.

The Orc let out a guttural laugh before it lunged, blade aimed directly for him.

Fight!

Roy sidestepped it easily and used his smaller size and better agility against the hulking brute. He skipped out of the Orc’s reach and backed up even further, weighing his options.

Fight to return to me, Roy.

The sound of Riza’s voice inside his head comforted him. It had saved him, breaking him away from the onslaught of terrible, unwelcome memories which had flooded him.

He remembered his promise. He would not break his vow.

The Orc went down easily. It was too large, too slow, to be any kind of match for him. But Roy was tiring. He’d expended a lot of energy and if any great number were to come at him, Roy wasn’t sure he’d be able to handle them all alone. Due to their size, they packed a punch, so when Roy had parried the Orc’s swing due to being left no other choice, the force of it rattled his bones in his arms and left them aching. Pain had flared in his dominant wrist as their two blades clattered together.

More movement caught his eye in the trees.

Roy spun and readied himself but paused when he spotted a human within the darkness.

“Useless Orcs,” they hissed, spinning around and taking off into the trees at a sprint.

That was not someone who was on their side.

And if they were in with the Orcs, that spelled bad news for Roy’s side.

Without even thinking he took off into the dark forest.

The cloaked figure in front of him continued to press onwards and did not slow. They weaved in and out of the trees easily and did not appear to be fleeing for the sake of it. They were running to somewhere. Moving with direction.

A familiar, faint roar caught his attention.

They were nearing the waterfall he’d visited with Riza.

The ground started to slope upwards, and Roy pushed himself harder to track down the fleeing figure. His legs screamed with fatigue and his breathing was more laboured than usual. Still, he pushed onwards. He had to assess this new threat and neutralise it, if he could.

He’d keep his promise to put an end to all of this. For his people.

Once he burst from the treeline, the sun was starting to turn the sky pink and orange as it rose further into the sky. It caused rainbows to appear in the spray of the waterfall and the figure Roy had been chasing paused on the rocks before it. Roy watched silently as they swung their head left and right, looking over the edge. Looking for something.

“Stop,” Roy commanded, drawing his sword and slowly starting to approach.

The figure froze and spun in place.

Lord Archer stared back at him beneath the hood.

Roy blinked at the man. That was not who he expected them to be.

“Lord Archer?”

The man’s face twisted into a sneer. “Ah, the princeling.”

Roy levelled his sword again and dropped his surprise. This was not to be a happy reunion, it seemed. He continued to press forwards so he was in range, should he need to be. Either to catch Archer if he tried to flee again or subdue him.

He’d always known there was something off about the man. Something not quite right… perhaps sinister. Roy had dismissed the latter and reminded himself that if the King held the man in high enough regard to have him on his council, he should trust in the King’s instincts and decisions. But something had always rubbed Roy the wrong way about Lord Archer. Plus, he’d always kicked up such a fuss over nothing, Roy simply thought it was due to aristocracy. But that did not seem to be the case now.

Alarm bells were going off in Roy’s head, warning him to be careful. To proceed with caution.

His grip tightened on his sword.

“Useless Orcs,” Lord Archer muttered to himself again. “If you ever need a job done correctly, do it yourself,” he growled.

Then he lunged at Roy, hidden dagger lifted and poised right for Roy’s throat.

Chapter Text

“Have you seen him?”

“No, Your Highness,” Lord Havoc replied grimly.

Riza tried not to let fear rule her heart. She did not allow her emotions to get the better of her, but she would admit, she’d feel a lot better if she knew of Roy’s whereabouts.

It was only natural they’d be parted in the natural flow of battle. Still, she wished she were fighting by his side.

They’d cleared the threat from the courtyard and in front of the castle. The Orcs had retreated back into the forests for now, their numbers low. They’d been caught unaware, Riza thought. They didn’t expect them to retaliate with such a large force. For that, Riza was grateful. They’d shown their strength and fought back for more of their land. The next task was to regroup in the castle courtyard and count their numbers.

Her father was in the centre of it all, covered in blood but unharmed, seeing to his people and issuing orders. Riza should go and see to him, but Roy hadn’t returned after the fighting. He was nowhere to be found. She and Lord Havoc had carried out three loops of the courtyard to search for him and found nothing.

“Riza!” Her father was striding over to her. “Where is Prince Mustang?”

She felt her fear rise into her throat. “I don’t know.”

His steps faltered slightly, but his confidence never wavered. His brow furrowed with his concern but offered no meaningless promises he would be fine. They had no place here in war, even though Riza could tell he wished to say something, offer her something. Some kind of comfort.

And Riza continued to worry. The last time Roy had fought against the Orcs like this he’d ended up nearly dead.

The thought brought a wave of tears to her eyes.

Thankfully, no one noticed, as their attention was diverted by a soldier calling out to his King.

“The Prince?”

Her father spun on his heel to look at the injured man. He had a large gash above his eyebrow which had been hastily patched up. Although bandaged, blood was still seeping into the gauze and down to his eyebrows.

“I saw him heading into the forest,” he offered. “He looked as though he were after someone. Sir Breda and a few of their soldiers tailed him.”

The news allowed Riza to breathe easier.

“In what direction?”

“That way, My King.” The soldier pointed north. In the direction they’d travelled to get to the waterfall what felt like so many moons ago. “Not too long ago either.”

Berthold placed a hand on the man’s shoulder. “Thank you. Return to the keep and rest.”

“But I can fight,” he protested.

“I know, and I understand the desire,” Berthold interrupted gently. “But there is still work to be done in the keep. People to protect. I would rather you stationed yourself there with your injury than be blinded by it at the most inopportune moment.”

The soldier’s shoulders sagged but reluctantly agreed.

“I will not lose more of my people,” the King promised. “Protect them upon your return.”

The man’s spine straightened and he snapped to attention with renewed vigour towards his new objective. “Yes, Your Highness!”

Riza was already itching to lead the charge into the forest.

“Riza?”

She turned and saw understanding and sympathy on her father’s face.

“I know you wish to go.”

For a terrible moment, Riza feared he’d forbid it.

“Take Lord Havoc and a handful of other soldiers with you.”

She blinked at him, surprised.

“As I said, I will not lose anymore. That includes the brave souls from the Fire Kingdom who have time and time again generously offered us their support… and my future son-in-law.”

The knowing look in his eyes caused those tears threatened once more, but Riza blinked them back. She stepped into her father’s arms, which opened for her automatically. It was awkward given the bulk of his armour, but it was still welcoming and comforting. Just what she needed.

“Bring him home, Riza,” Berthold whispered into her ear.

“I will,” she promised.

“And bring yourself back too.”

“Always, Father. Always.”


Her horse was pushed hard. Their group rode in silence as they traversed the forests surrounding her home. More damage could be seen here and it hurt her heart to see it. To see a once so vibrant place reduced to a shade of itself.

It only motivated her further to stop this battle.

Riza’s heart leapt once her ears registered the distant roar of the waterfall. As if sensing her urgency and anxiety, the horse picked up its pace and leapt from the plush forest floor and onto the rocky terrain with ease.

After a short while she pulled the group to a stop. Her horse was restless as she left it tethered to a tree, but only had a short time to try and soothe it. Thankfully, one of the soldiers she’d brought with her volunteered to stay behind and watch over the horses. She assigned another to remain with him, more comfortable leaving them in pairs rather than alone, while she, Lord Havoc, Captain Falman, and Lord Fuery left with Riza.

Lord Havoc walked warily by Riza’s side, on her left – eyes alert and head swivelling around the rocky outcrops to look for a waiting ambush. Captain Falman was on her right. He’d jumped at the chance to offer his assistance, as a repayment for helping him find his son. Riza assured him it wasn’t necessary, but the Captain would not budge on his stance. He was coming with them. The same could be said for Lord Fuery. As soon as he heard they were searching for the Prince he was adamant he would be accompanying them, so now he brought up the rear of their group.

The sounds of struggle and the clang of metal on metal filled the air. Riza’s head snapped around to look at Lord Havoc’s and before she could take a step, to make a move towards the sound, he clamped his hand on her wrist.

“Your Highness, please.”

Riza wanted to tug her arm away, to run and find out what was happening, but the pleading look on his face halted her.

“Allow me to observe first.”

Riza knew she should. She was tangled up in whatever was happening emotionally and she didn’t want to act rashly. He should go first to assess the situation because if her worst fears had come to fruition, there would be nothing which would stop Riza from charging headfirst into the fray and exacting justice.

She nodded. It was a difficult movement, to accept holding back for now, but she knew she should. For everyone’s sake.

Lord Havoc’s gait seemed too slow. Time was sluggish as it passed by but Riza held her tongue. She reigned in her impatience and forced it down deep. She needed to be clearheaded and not listen to the fearful thoughts threating to break loose with the lack of knowledge of what was happening to her Prince.

They halted at the treeline. Still hidden from view but able to look out onto the edge of the cliff and to the roaring waterfall behind.

Riza sucked in a breath.

Roy was there, accompanied by Breda. Riza’s eyes zeroed in on him and the urge to stand and charge forward grew. Her feet shifted but Riza caught herself as Lord Havoc shot her another look.

Instead she forced herself to take in the scene.

He was hurt. Roy was clutching at his sword arm as blood spilled from a wound, covering his fingers and hand. He was hunched and breathing hard but his face held nothing but grim determination. By his side Breda had fared better, but there was blood on his clothing. How much had been from their previous battle, Riza didn’t know. She hoped all of it, however he was stooped as well and looked pained.

What baffled Riza the most though, was the two others who accompanied them, standing by their sides.

Edward and Alphonse Elric were there.

Standing beside Roy.

And across from them, they faced off against… Lord Archer?

He looked as worse for wear as the others. His breathing was ragged and there was an air of desperation about him. In his hand he clutched a dagger which was covered in blood, however he looked as though he may keel over any minute from his own injuries. And there were a few.

What was he doing here?

“Give it up, Archer,” Roy commanded. He straightened his spine to draw himself up tall and he grimaced in pain. Still, it did not deter him. He looked ready to take on the world. “You are outnumbered.”

Lord Archer’s eyes darted between them all. He seemed rather hopeless now.

Desperation definitely fuelled him.

He lunged at Roy.

Riza felt her heart rise into her throat then she was moving. There was no one to hold her back this time because the rest of her company all did the same. They charged forwards from the trees towards the traitorous Lord.

Still, they were too far away. Roy lifted his sword to fend him off but Edward Elric was faster. He ducked easily under Lord Archer’s outstretched arm and punched him in the stomach. The combination of the blow and the shock of it doubled Lord Archer over, giving Roy and Breda time to descend upon him. Lord Archer’s arms were wrestled behind his back as he coughed and spluttered on the ground. From nowhere, Captain Falman’s son, Arran, appeared and thrust rope towards them. Within seconds Lord Archer was restrained and defeated.

“Roy!”

His head snapped up and great relief appeared to shake his very bones. He lifted himself from the ground painfully and made his way over to her. Riza met him in the middle, throwing her arms around his neck and holding him tight. She heard him sigh in her ear. She felt his arms tighten around her body as he squeezed her. She felt his pulse thumping in his neck as Riza buried her face in the crook of it.

He was all right.

He was alive.

“Are you all right?”

Riza pulled away and scanned his face. Her eyes flitted over his handsome features as he waited desperately for her reply.

“I’m fine.” Her hands lifted to cup both his cheeks. Roy’s eyes fluttered closed and he sighed again in relief. “And you?” She pulled away to look at his arm.

“I’m all right, Riza,” he replied softly. “It’s a flesh wound. It will heal.”

Still, her chest tightened painfully.

“Arran!”

The boy blanched while still standing beside Lord Archer. Edward and Alphonse had joined their friend by his side, all three now looking rather contrite.

What are you doing here?” Despite his harsh tone the Captain bundled his son into his arms and held him tight. One hand was pressed against the side of his head, drawing Arran into his shoulder after the Captain dropped to his knees before his son. The other splayed across his shoulder blades, keeping him secure against his father.

Arran grasped at his father as his body trembled. “I wanted to help –”

“You left the safety of the keep? When?”

The boy’s face had turned completely white now his attempts at stealth had been found out.

“We left together.”

The Captain’s gaze snapped to the other two boys, Riza’s doing the same as she watched the scene play out before her. Alphonse curled in on himself but Edward stood strong and determined by his friend’s side.

“Does your mother know you’re gone?”

Arran shook his head and Riza’s heart stirred in sympathy for the woman. What must she be thinking, unable to find her son with a battle raging outside their place of safety.

Captain Falman stood and grasped his son’s hand. Probably to secure him to his side so he didn’t sneak away from him again. “We are returning to the keep at once. Your poor mother will be ill with worry at being unable to find you.”

Arran turned even whiter. Apparently he had not considered the consequences of his actions.

“Your Highness.” The Captain approached Riza and bowed low. Arran did the same, keeping his eyes cast downwards with his guilt. “If you would permit it, I would return to the keep at once. My son’s sudden disappearance will be worrying my wife and I do not wish to keep her in the dark any longer.”

He looked agitated. Restless. Riza didn’t blame him. And he didn’t even have to ask for her permission. He should already be on his way back. She’d have sent him on his way immediately if he hadn’t offered up his reasonings first.

“You need not ask, Captain. Take your son and return home. We won’t be long behind you.”

Captain Falman bowed low and tugged Arran away with him. He stumbled in his father’s hold but quickly righted himself. He was practically running to keep up with his father’s longer stride and didn’t once utter a word of complaint.

Riza turned to the two brothers and lifted an eyebrow, waiting for an explanation.

“We wanted to help –”

“You had no idea what the enemy was capable of,” Roy interrupted angrily, cutting off Edward.

He glared at Roy. “Yes, I do –”

“You all endangered yourselves, all so you could play the hero. Those Orcs could have killed you, not to mention him too.” Roy jerked his chin towards Lord Archer, silent on the ground. “You had no idea what you were getting yourselves into.”

“Yes,” he snapped back at Roy, who was still frowning at him in disapproval. “We did.” Without another word Edward stomped off, leaving them all behind, and heading into the trees.

Lord Havoc watched on and shot Riza a look. She nodded and without a word he took off after the boy to watch out for him.

While their attempts to help were brave and appreciated, they were foolhardy. This had not been the time for them to try and assist. Even now, as Edward stomped off angrily, he didn’t pause to think of the possibility there were more Orcs out there in the trees, waiting to pounce.

But there was something about Edward’s insistence they’d known what they were getting into… They knew about the Orcs…

Riza’s eyes slid over to the younger brother, who looked upset.

Something slid into place and clicked inside Riza’s mind.

They were alone. They’d never spoken of any family – granted they hadn’t known each other for any decent length of time to get to know them – but even when they were first brought to the keep there had been no itching restlessness to return to their home, their parents. No mention they might be worried about them, stuck in the keep instead of at home.

Were they orphans?

They knew what the Orcs were capable of…

“Alphonse?”

The boy turned his tear-filled eyes up to look at Riza. “We were only trying to help, I swear. We didn’t mean any harm.” He sniffed and looked over at Roy. “I’m sorry, we didn’t mean to get in the way and for you to get hurt because of it.”

Roy sighed behind him and gave up the fight and the scolding now Edward had stormed off. Riza turned to glance at him, wondering just how he’d received his injury. Had he been trying to protect the boys?

Riza nodded to Alphonse and crouched so she was eye level with him. “I believe you.” Quietly, she leaned in further so no one could overhear. “Sorry, but I have to ask, just to further understand. You and your brother’s knowledge of the Orcs… Does that have anything to do with your parents? Your family?”

A tear dripped down the boy’s cheek, which Riza quickly and gently wiped away. She nodded in response, knowing the answer to her question.

“All right,” she murmured. “We appreciate your efforts and your bravery however the battlefield is not somewhere you can venture into without being prepared, all right?”

Alphonse sniffed and nodded. “Sorry,” he replied sincerely.

“You could have gotten seriously hurt, or worse. And your sudden appearance meant these soldiers,” Riza swept an arm towards Roy and the rest, “would have put you three first before themselves to save you, a child and an innocent bystander, should the situation have called for it.”

Alphonse’s face turned fearful. Apparently, they hadn’t quite considered that fact either.

Riza offered him a smile and placed her hands on his shoulders. “Pure luck and Prince Mustang’s efforts saved you this time. And if you and your brother are this intent on providing assistance in the future, I will personally see to it you receive the appropriate training.”

The boy’s eyes lit up despite their tears and he nodded enthusiastically. “Thank you, Your Highness.”

Riza squeezed his shoulders. “Go and see to your brother. Return to the keep. And remind him we are not mind readers. Unless he expresses his wishes or tells us he has past fighting experience, you are both still young and still children. We will assume you have none.”

Alphonse nodded. He turned to run after Edward but paused before Roy. He bowed at the waist low, reverently, thanking him profusely before hurrying away after his brother.

Without a word, Lord Fuery took off after him just as Lord Havoc had for Edward.

“What happened?”

Roy’s expression hardened and he glanced down at Lord Archer. “It appears the good Lord Archer has betrayed you.”

He was silent in response, offering nothing, as he remained restrained on the ground.

Sir Breda hauled him to his feet. “What shall I do with him, Your Highness?”

“Take him back to our horses. There will be two soldiers waiting there with them. Return him to my father.” Riza uttered the command with no warmth for the man.

Lord Archer flinched in response but still said nothing.

The other Fire Kingdom soldiers fell into step with their commander and led the disgraced Lord back to the horses.

Now, left alone, Riza wasn’t quite ready to return to the chaos of the battle yet. She needed more time with him. She needed to reaffirm Roy was all right.

“He attacked you?”

Roy swallowed then nodded hesitantly. His eyes searched hers closely, waiting for her reaction or response. She could tell he did not wish to be the bearer of such news.

While Riza hadn’t been a massive fan of Lord Archer, he had been close to her father for years. And that’s who Riza hurt for now. They’d yet to discover what happened, but Riza had seen Lord Archer try to attack Roy. Obviously an altercation had occurred between them for both to end up so bloodied. The Lord’s betrayal still cut deep, regardless of her personal feelings towards him.

And Riza started to dislike him even further for trying to hurt Roy.

Riza drew him close. Roy immediately moved into her hold and dropped his forehead to hers.

“I’m so glad you’re okay.” Acknowledging it allowed the weight on her chest to lighten. Having him holding her and feeling his strong heartbeat beneath the palms she splayed across his chest brought Riza to peace.

His lips quirked upwards into a smile. “I did promise I would fight my way back to you, didn’t I?”

“I will hold you to that promise forever, My King.”

A grin flashed across his face, erasing the signs of pain and fatigue. “It will be an absolute honour to keep it, My Queen, for I will always do so.” He tilted his head and brushed his lips against hers. When he pulled away Riza chased after his lips, greedy for more after all the uncertainty and turmoil of the day. “I love you.”

His love for her washed over Riza. She let it envelop her completely, to the point her body relaxed completely against his. Roy wrapped her in his arms and the pair remained still.

“I love you too, Roy.”

The only sound was their breathing, Roy’s beating heart beneath Riza’s ear, and the roar of the waterfall – a place which had brought her so much comfort over the years and a place where she’d finally gotten her Prince to open up to her. Where he’d finally let down his walls and welcomed her in. And now, a place where she’d found him again. Where he’d fought to return to her side.

It was a place just for them.

Chapter Text

Roy had been relegated to the infirmary. King’s orders.

He’d pouted and half-heartedly protested to Riza but she was just as stubborn as her father.

Roy tried not to scowl as he was led away from the action.

The protective trait obviously ran in the family.

Rationally, Roy appreciated their concern. After coming from a father who didn’t concern himself with such a thing, it was a massive surprise to him, having them care for his wellbeing and his recovery so much. It was welcome, he’d whisper to himself, but he was fine. The wound on his arm – courtesy of Archer – was deep, but he felt okay. He felt well enough to continue and to fight on for the kingdom he’d grown to call home.

For his kingdom.

A far-off dream at the moment and in the midst of battle, but one he’d cling to. One he’d fight for, for as long as he was able.

And yet, the King reassigned him to remain within the keep.

Little did the King know, with Riza now still out there in the thick of it without him, it left Roy feeling even more ill than he would have done with her by his side. Anxiety twisted his stomach in knots as he waited for her return.

When she did, Roy was sure it would feel as though all the oxygen had been sucked out of his lungs. Seeing her safe, well, and walking back to him would cause his body to shake with a relief so strong it would be a struggle to contain it.

He lived for those moments.

Never had he felt something so large. So overwhelming.

He remembered his mother speaking of such a love when he was a boy. How it had consumed her completely and how she could not imagine a life without it. Roy remembered, because his father had been standing in the doorway to his bedroom as his mother tucked him in at night. It was a ritual they followed every night; she’d sit on his bedside, stroke his unruly hair into some kind of submission, as best she could, while his father would watch on fondly as he leaned on the door frame. And when his mother started to sing Roy to sleep, his father would enter the room and stand at her back, turning his smile upon Roy. He’d be drowsy as he drifted off, but he distinctly remembered the image of his father standing at her mother’s back as she sang, both hands resting on her shoulders, as he gazed down at his youngest son, watching him drift off.

Yong Roy could never appreciate the moment for what it was – filled with love and care – but he knew then he felt safe. Nothing would harm him and he knew, without a doubt, his parents would protect him and care for him forever. They’d be by his side, forever.

After his mother’s passing, there was no one to tuck him in at night. His father no longer bid him goodnight or offered such smiles.

It left Roy feeling forlorn, that she’d been taken from them all so soon. And he even found himself feeling sympathy for his father. Roy knew if he lost Riza he would not be able to cope. It felt as though she was his very reason for breathing. If his mother and father had felt a love like his and Riza’s, he could find himself garnering some kind of understanding for the man and his turn to despair and tyranny in his grief after her death. It did not make it right, but Roy could at least relate to the fear which locked up his limbs at the thought of losing her.

Which was why he was so antsy right now, banished to the keep, while she regrouped with her father.

But, under his King’s orders, he was to be contained here until healed.

Once alone, Roy frowned and wished to kick up a storm about it. The compulsion to follow his heart in this matter was so strong, but Roy managed to keep it at bay. He’d do as his wise King suggested and look out for himself.

If he didn’t he’d be useless to his King.

To his Queen.

But Archer was not to be trusted – as Roy had always suspected – but especially now, and he did not like how the King was currently seeing to his interrogation with Riza by his side.

Without him.

He’d been in league with the Orcs and had pointed them towards another invasion. Had guided them towards attacking the castle once more. Riza had told him she’d seen him in the Fire Kingdom. He’d been there before she left. So, how he’d ended up here, in favour of the Orcs… Roy wasn’t sure he wanted to dwell on the subject. Every thought he had led to devastating realisations which implicated his own father, and for his own mentality, for self-preservation, Roy opted not to venture down that road. Not just yet anyway. He was far too tired to do so.

Speculation meant nothing. It only left his mind to wander and think of the worst when he should be focussed on what was happening within the keep.

Children were frightened and tearful. When they saw him return they cowered into their parent’s, their grandparent’s, legs. They stared at his wounded arm fearfully, but Roy offered each a reassuring smile.

“Did the Orcs do that to you?” One young boy had been bold enough to step forward. He ogled Roy’s hastily bandaged arm, blood seeping through the covering.

Roy shook his head. “No. The Orcs couldn’t touch me.” He winked, and the boy’s face lit up in wonder.

“Who did it then?”

He answered the boy but opted not to go into the particulars. He didn’t know how the King wished to approach their Archer problem so would remain silent on it for now. “A man did it. Someone who was not on our side. But I stopped him and informed the King.”

“Does it hurt?”

Roy nodded. “It does. Which is why I am here now. To keep myself safe in my injured state.”

He had no qualms about admitting his injury, especially not to the lad. If the twinkle in his eye suggested anything, Roy would bet he was interested in becoming a Knight or a soldier himself. And it would not go amiss to hopefully teach the young man a lesson along with it.

“Are you a Knight?”

Roy shook his head and let out a quiet laugh. “I am not.”

“That’s not a Knight,” a young girl hissed, approaching the boy from behind and appearing from nowhere. “That’s Prince Mustang! From the Fire Kingdom!”

The boy’s face paled and both children scrambled to bow to him.

Roy smiled at their antics. He crouched low, bringing himself down to their level, and bid them to rise. “You need not bow to me, children.”

“Yes we do,” the girl replied immediately, A practiced response. “Mama says so.”

“Your mother has taught you well, then. Your manners are impeccable, My Lady.”

She beamed from the praise. Her cheeks turned light pink.

“But right now, we are fighting to protect our Kingdom. Our lands. Down here, in this keep, we are all the same as each other, all right? We are just people fighting to survive and reclaim our home.”

“But you’re not from our kingdom.” The boy’s nose scrunched up in confusion. “Why are you fighting for it?”

Again, Roy couldn’t help the smile which tugged at his lips. “Because the Princess asked it of me. As did the King. They’re dear friends, so of course I had to help. Some of my people are here as well, fighting.”

“Wow…” The girl stared up at him in wonder. “I want to fight one day! Just like the Princess!” She brandished an invisible sword and thrust forward into the air. The boy by her side giggled and joined in.

“I am sure you will be a fantastic fighter, My Lady.”

“Do you think so?”

Roy nodded. His heart warmed at the earnest look on her face, as well as the boy’s. “I do. So long as you practice, keep a level head, and focus on your lessons. Then you will be able to defend your home, your family, and your friends from any who wish to try and take it from you.”

Determination settled in her face, as did the boy’s. They both nodded and chorused “I will!” together.

“I hope it never comes to that for you both. I truly do, and I will use everything in my power to make sure you need not worry about a thing.”

They looked up at him, slightly confused, but before they could ask they were called upon.

“Children!” A harried mother hurried through the throng of people. “There you are! What have a told you both about wandering off? Especially now?”

It appeared to be the new hobby of the young ones as of late.

Both looked sheepish and cast their eyes down to the ground.

“Apologies, Your Majesty,” she apologised hastily. “I was changing my youngest and they slipped away while I was preoccupied. I hope they haven’t been bothering you?”

The woman wrung her hands together nervously as Roy lifted an eyebrow in question at both children. Again, they shuffled together, sensing they were due a telling off for their misbehaviour.

“Not at all,” Roy replied, still kneeling at the children’s level. “They’ve simply been inquisitive. Nothing wrong with that.”

Both children relaxed.

“However, you must listen to your mother and stay by her side. Especially in times such as these. Do you understand? It would upset her to see you were missing when things are so uncertain up on the surface.”

They nodded hurriedly.

“We understand!”

“Yes! We’re sorry, Mama. We didn’t mean to.”

They were so earnest the mother’s worry melted away and she opened her arms to them. They both rushed into her embrace and were held tight, the moment of panic over.

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

“Do not mention it. They were no trouble at all.”

The woman ushered her children away and as they left, the boy and the girl both looked over their shoulders and grinned at him. Roy offered a wave, just as their faces turned to wonder. Jaws dropped and they almost tripped as they clung to their mother’s hand a she led them away.

Roy turned to investigate the reason for their sudden change and –

It was like all the air had been sucked out of his lungs.

Riza smiled fondly back at him as she stood a few meters away. From the expression on her face, something told Roy she’d heard every word of his exchange with the children.

“Making friends, are we?” As soon as Riza reached Roy’s side she slid an arm around his back. He lifted his good arm and wrapped it around her shoulder, drawing her body in tight against his. Having her here, in his arms, brought him such peace. It was as though his world had been corrected. This was where she was meant to be, next to him, and vice versa. Although they hadn’t been parted long, it still felt like a lifetime. But now, it was over.

“Always,” Roy quipped. He turned his head and pressed a kiss atop hers.

Riza melted against his side and sighed softly.

“Trying to teach some lessons as well.”

Riza nodded. “You did well.” She pulled back and peered up at him, love and adoration clear as day upon her face. “Thank you.”

“You know you do not have to do that.”

Two arms were now around his torso and Riza gave him a squeeze. “I want to.”

It made him break out into a wide smile.

“You are so good with the people. They accept you too. They always have, but it does my heart well to know there is no resistance against you.”

A memory from earlier that day flashed back into Roy’s mind. “Except perhaps one.”

When Riza pulled back to meet his gaze, Roy elaborated, sensing her confusion.

“Archer.”

Her face darkened and Roy loathed himself for causing it. Especially after they’d shared such a lovely moment together.

“He will be dealt with. Father is not pleased.”

Something flickered across her face. Something akin to pain. Roy tilted her head up by a gentle finger beneath her chin.

“Whatever happens we will see it through together. Whatever assistance or testimony your father requires, I will provide it. Breda bore witness to everything as well. Should the King need it, I will ask him to provide his support.”

Riza stared up into his eyes so long Roy started to doubt his words. He shifted but before he could open his mouth to ask, she beat him to it.

“You…” Her voice was filled with awe, and Riza shook her head, letting loose a quiet laugh, but she still didn’t elaborate. Or, she couldn’t. Not yet.

“I, what?” He felt nerves buzz over his skin.

Riza curled against his chest and held him tight. Of course, Roy reciprocated. His arms lifted automatically to surround her shorter frame.

“I’m so grateful for you, Roy,” she whispered into his chest. “For everything you do for us. For me.”

“It is no hardship, My Queen. You know that. And I would do it a thousand times over if you asked it of me.”

“A thousand times over?”

Roy grinned. “Forever and ever.”

When she kissed him, he felt all of her love for him surround his heart. Roy felt her gratitude.

“Nothing shall ever part us.”

“Is that a vow, My King?”

The small quirk of her lips into a smile caused him to grin. “Always, My Queen.”

They were interrupted by a quiet giggle from behind Roy. Riza peered over his shoulder. Roy watched a light pink colour started to dust her cheeks, but the smile she wore was as radiant as the sun. Roy turned – when he was able to tear his gaze away from his Queen – to find a group of children watching them, starry-eyed.

“That’s the Princess!” one hissed to their companion as they nudged them sharply in the ribs with their elbow.

“And the Prince!”

“Sh!” The tallest of the three hushed them – a girl, no older than nine or ten.

All children shuffled in place and tried to look unassuming – failing miserably. But Roy had to applaud them for their efforts.

“Yes, children. This is your wonderful Princess.”

Again, Riza’s cheeks turned pink but she still smiled up at him adoringly.

“And this gentleman, is a rather dashing Prince. Wouldn’t you say so?”

“Oh, yes! He looks like a Prince,” the oldest replied, nonplussed, while the other children looked embarrassed, but still giggled nervously.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Your Highnesses.” All bowed before their future queen with such practiced reverence it stirred an emotion within Roy’s heart.

She was well loved, well respected, among her people.

“Please rise, children. You do not need to bow to us.”

Eyes practically bugged out of skulls in disbelief. “Yes we do! That’s what we’ve been taught.”

Roy laughed quietly to himself.

“And you’ve been taught well. But right now it is unnecessary.”

They looked delighted to be granted a reprieve from what Roy guessed was strict teachings.

As they should be. They should be allowed to be children. Roy understood the desire to give respect, but they were only young. Too young. The playful and joyful looks on their faces in response to being told they no longer needed to show such reverence left him feeling far more pleased than a bow ever could have.

“Are you two married?” The youngest of the group suddenly piped up. The girl must have only been about five and he applauded her boldness.

Roy laughed again while Riza struggled to find a response to the question.

“Why do you ask, sweet one?”

She pointed a finger at Roy. “You look at her like my Dad looks at my Mum. And they are very much in love with each other. Because they’re my Mum and Dad.” She added on the last part as if that reasoning explained everything and Roy felt pride puff up his chest.

He lowered into a crouch once more. “We are not married.”

The girl’s shoulders fell in disappointment.

Touched at how important this appeared to be to her, Roy leaned in closer and dropped his voice low to a whisper. “Not yet.”

The girl’s eyes grew wide and she gasped softly.

One of the children was called upon, causing the group to turn.

“Call it our little secret,” Roy winked at her as he rose to stand tall.

As they hurried away the group swarmed the youngest. They asked what Roy said. What had made her gasp like that? Why had her eyes grown so wide? Were they really married?

“You just love to wind the children up. Don’t you?”

“All in the name of fun,” Roy quipped.

Riza hummed to herself, not convinced.

“Apologies, my love. Should I have consulted you first before declaring my desire to wed you?”

Riza narrowed her eyes at him but he saw a smile threatening to show. “One would think that was the normal order of things. Yes.”

“You own me in everything, Riza Hawkeye. My partner, my friend, and my Queen. There is no doubt about that.”

She practically melted into him. Riza lifted onto her toes and pecked his cheek.

“I do not desire to own you, My King. I just want you by my side.”

“Every step of the way,” Roy promised. “But know that my heart will always belong to you. It always has. Since the moment I met you.”

Riza sighed softly into his kiss. The sound sent sparks of joy erupting within his stomach and chest as he rejoiced at having this woman by his side and in his arms once more. Where they belonged.

Together.

“Since the moment I met you,” Riza murmured. “The truth for me as well.”

Roy wrapped his arms tighter around his love. He held her so close against him so that no force could extract her from his side ever again.

This was where they were meant to be.

By each other’s side.

Forever and ever.

Chapter 26

Notes:

happy new year everyone when it comes! i didn't get round to completing this for christmas as planned, but we're getting there! at least it will definitely be done in 2023 ;D

hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Riza was awoken by a gentle cry into the quiet night. More of a whine than anything else, but enough to disturb her sleep and take notice of it.

The body behind her kicked out their legs in sleep, catching her calf gently and waking her properly. Riza blinked and looked out into her quiet sleeping quarters, disorientated after being awoken so suddenly and unexpectedly.

A whimper came from behind her. Roy’s breathing was laboured, and he pulled her even tighter against his body in his sleep.

“Roy?” Her whisper did not disturb his sleep and his hold tightened even further. Riza coughed involuntarily as he grew close to crushing her stomach beneath his hands.

Riza rolled over quickly and sharply. In his sleep, Roy let go of her and once turned, Riza watched his eyelids blink open. Not enough to waken him completely, but enough to startle him from his deep sleep and his apparent nightmare.

She lifted her hands to cup his cheeks. “Roy?” Her call to him was tentative but it was not enough. She brushed his fringe off his face and ran her hands across his skin. He continued to stir. “Roy…”

His face relaxed then he sighed deeply. The pain in his expression left him and the muscles of his face eased and loosened. The furrow between his brows disappeared and his entire frame finally returned to a state of rest. Replete and calm. His grip on Riza’s waist loosened as he slowly batted his eyes open.

“Riza?” He croaked his question. His voice sounded rough upon waking and while the sound made her stomach flip – being able to hear him so soon after he awoke was an absolute delight, and an occurrence she looked forward to for many, many mornings in the future – her concern for him overrode everything else.

“It’s me,” she whispered into the quiet space between them.

He inhaled deeply and wrapped his arms tightly around her. His face ended up buried in the crook of her neck. “You’re here,” he breathed. Relief clouded his tone.

“Always, Roy. Always.”

They were silent for a few moments and Riza allowed him the time to calm and return to himself.

“Are you all right?”

Roy nodded. His posture in the bed, however, was stiff and wound tight.

“Did you have a nightmare,” she ventured.

She didn’t think he’d answer. He took so long to do so.

“Yes.”

Riza buried her head into the space between his chin and his chest. She clutched at him tightly, drawing his body in close to hers.

“Would you like to talk about it at all?”

She felt him finally nod after a moment. His chin bumped against the top of her head, disturbing her hair, so she drew back from the sanctuary she’d found against him and rested her head atop the pillow, beside his. Riza cupped his cheek and stroked a thumb over it, just below his eye. It caused Roy’s eyes to flutter closed in response and he leaned into her touch.

Roy swallowed and pressed his forehead against hers. “It is one I suffer from often.”

Riza’s chest ached for him.

Roy exhaled forcefully as he geared up to speak. She noticed his hesitation. His apprehension.

“If you do not wish to speak on it, I will not force you –”

“It’s not that,” Roy whispered. “Never that.”

Riza cocked her head and looked at him.

This time, Roy brushed her fringe behind her ear. “I would lay my heart bare for you, Riza. Expose every part of myself, for I wish for you to know them. To know my soul. There is nothing I would hide from you.”

She felt her eyes well up. “Roy…”

His lips quirked up into a smile. “You own me, Riza. Body and soul.”

“Then allow me to ease your mind.”

Roy fell silent, but Riza did not begrudge him for it. Nightmares were never pleasant so would not push or prod him into telling her. Whatever part of himself he was willing to share with her, she’d accept wholeheartedly.

She only wished to ease his worries and alleviate his suffering.

“It is regarding my brother.”

Riza felt her stomach drop.

“As I once told you, I fought in the first invasion. I sustained life threatening injuries.”

Her heart seized within her chest. She did not wish to dwell on that fact. How close she’d come to losing him before she’d even properly known him.

“My brother stood in the Orc’s path and slayed it, taking the blow meant for me.” Roy’s breathing hitched and his body trembled. “He… He cupped my cheek before he passed on and then… I was distraught after I realised what he’d done. That he’d cauterised my wound and opened himself up to an attack in order to save me. But, ultimately, he saved my life. He –” Roy cut off, unable to speak further.

“Roy…” Riza felt her tears gather in the corners of her eyes.

“He smiled up at me,” Roy admitted stiffly. “Told me to continue fighting. To live. And I intend to do that until my last breath.” He inhaled deeply, his entire frame shuddering. “For him. But that was my nightmare. Reliving that last moment with him. Over and over.”

“Does it happen often?”

Roy hesitated, and that told Riza her answer. “Yes. Often.”

She readjusted her grip on his face. “I am right here for you, Roy and I am not going anywhere. So, please. If you feel the need to, come to me. Draw on my strength. Allow me to shoulder the burden too, so it is all not pressing down upon your shoulders.”

He smiled down at her in awe. “You would do that? For me?”

“A thousand times over.”

Riza watched as his face lit up with his joy and felt some of her own sorrow lift from her bones. It somewhat lightened the weight upon her heart and allowed her to breathe easier.

“I will,” he promised. “Just as I intend to live on. For my fallen brothers and my mother.”

A tear dripped down Riza’s cheek as she stroked the skin of his face.

“I intend to do it by your side, Riza.”

She let out a breathy laugh, laced with disbelief. “Do it for them,” she whispered. “Live on for them.”

“Always.” He turned his head and pressed a kiss to the inside of her wrist. “And I will do it with you.”

“Roy…”

“They would have loved you,” he whispered against her skin. “I know they would have.”

Another tear escaped and Roy kissed it away for her.

“They’d have adored you, just as I do. Maes was always badgering me about living life to the fullest. And… I must admit I feel I was too young to remember much properly about my oldest brother. Thomas was his name,” he added wistfully, his expression breaking into a smile. “But I remember his strength. I had once thought my father was protection and safety, but that was quickly subverted as soon as my royal training started. We were pushed incredibly hard. Impossibly so. It was Thomas I started to look to instead. He was a beacon to me. Someone to look up to and try to live up to. I tried my best, but never measured up within Father’s eyes. But Thomas always offered encouragement and praise. Always congratulated me on my accomplishments, just as Maes did. I draw on those moments now, the memory of them both, even to this day. To keep fighting for my people.” He dropped his gaze to focus on hers. “To fight for you,” he added in a whisper.

“I would fight for you forever, My King.”

He cupped her chin gently, staring into her eyes. “I would lay my life down for you, My Queen. Without question.”

“Please don’t,” she begged of him. “Do not ever leave me, unless you absolutely have to.”

He bent his head and kissed her. Passionately. Lovingly.

“I would never leave you, Riza. I could never bring myself to part from you. I shall be with you forever. Until my last breath.”

“Right by my side.”

He smiled at her. “Right by your side, My Queen,” he confirmed.


“It is true.”

The King sat down in his chair with such a weight upon his shoulders it was as if the world was tugging him down into it. He looked exhausted and grim. As if he didn’t wish to entertain the news – no, the truth – which was laid out in front of him.

“Archer confessed.”

Riza’s heart hurt for her father. Lord Archer had been close to her father, but it had not been for the benefit of the kingdom. It had not been for her people’s best interests. It was to stage some kind of coup so the Orcs could take over their lands. He’d admitted to it, finally, that afternoon.

Her father sighed and placed his head in his hands. Both elbows rested upon his makeshift desk to rub his eyes tiredly.

Riza stood and walked to stand behind him. She placed both hands upon his shoulders, giving them a comforting squeeze.

Initially, before the invasion had come and she’d been forced to flee her home, Riza had often thought her father was paranoid for squirreling himself away in his study, ignoring her, his family, in favour of running his kingdom. She had never resented the man. It was a difficult job, ruling, Riza understood that. However, just for one moment, she’d wished he’d just take a step back. Relax. Be there for her, so they could grieve the loss of her mother together. Enjoy his life, instead of turning his hair grey far earlier than it should have done with all his worries. But, in hindsight, Riza had to admit his perceived fretting and meticulous planning had paid off. All of their people hadn’t been saved, regrettably, but many had.

And now the Orcs had fled their lands. They’d retreated. Whether they’d be back or not was another matter, but for now, the battle was won thanks to her father’s planning.

Riza was grateful for that.

Berthold straightened in his chair and placed a hand over hers. He gave it a squeeze as he drew himself up to his full height.

“I’m sorry, Your Highness,” Roy offered sombrely.

Her father shook his head. “I suppose I should have seen something like this coming. You did warn me of it, after all, but…”

Riza shot Roy a look, but he did not meet her gaze. Riza knew Roy hadn’t liked Archer. Had never liked him. Had he already had a word with her father about him?

“I just wish I’d listened,” Berthold sighed.

“You have had a lot to deal with in the meantime, Your Highness. It is understandable, and you are not to blame for his betrayal.”

Both father and daughter shot the Prince a grateful smile.

“You’re a good man, Roy.” He patted Riza’s hand again and smiled up at her. “A very good man,” he added pointedly.

“I know, Father,” Riza murmured.

“Please, sit. Rest, Riza. I am all right. Shocked and hurt at an advisor’s betrayal, but I will be fine. We have too much work to do anyway to dwell on this for too long.”

Riza agreed to his request – but not before giving his shoulders a squeeze one last time – and sat down beside Roy. When she did so, he immediately reached for her hand, not caring who was seeing their closeness, their affection for one another, and Riza slipped her fingers in between his to hold on tight.

“There is still no reply from the King of the Fire Kingdom.”

Roy remained still in the chair beside her, betraying no reaction. However, Riza could recognise how controlled he was. There was the slight twitch to his fingers but other than that, he offered nothing less.

“I simply reached out to the King to try and ascertain if the fighting had reached his borders and if he was aware of Lord Archer’s betrayal, after he’d been sighted within his kingdom.”

Roy nodded as her father watched him carefully.

“There has been nothing –”

A hurried knock on the door interrupted them. A page boy burst through the doorway, panting hard and face flushed red, as if he’d ran great lengths to deliver his message.

“Your Highness!” he gasped.

“What is it, David?” Berthold stood from his chair and approached the lad.

“A missive from the Fire Kingdom.” He thrust a sealed letter forwards towards the King, who cast Roy a searching look.

The silence which followed her father reading through the message was crushing. Deafening. Both she and Roy desperately wished to know what the message contained, and eagerly awaited her father turning in place to tell them.

“It appears…”

She and Roy shared a look.

“Father?”

He cleared his throat and lifted his eyes to meet Roy’s. “It appears there has been a coup in the Fire Kingdom.”

Roy exhaled sharply. In disbelief. “Pardon?”

“There has been a coup,” her father repeated, his eyes scanning the words on the page once more. “And your aunt is at the centre of it all.”

Chapter Text

His aunt…

Roy could barely believe it.

His steps were quick as they strode from the King’s study. Roy wasn’t paying attention to where he was going, but his feet were carrying him towards his and Riza’s sleeping quarters. They honed in on the space they shared together.

He had none of the details of what had happened in his childhood home, only the news which had been contained within his aunt’s letter.

How had she even…

Roy had to find out what had happened. He had to know she was all right.

He had to go to her.

Chris had given up so much for him growing up. Had offered him sanctuary and assistance. Roy knew his duty to her and had the burning desire to assist her.

But that also meant leaving his new home.

His love.

His future wife.

Roy’s heart tore in two, stuck between the two kingdoms and what he felt he needed do.

“Go.”

He whirled in place to look at Riza, who’d followed him.

“You should go to her,” she prompted, coming to a stop next to him. Her smile contained nothing but encouragement. “Assist her in whatever way is needed.”

Roy both felt relief and pain at the same time. Relief to go and help his aunt, but pain because it meant leaving Riza behind. And leaving her in a volatile, uncertain situation, where he should be supporting her through it, not leaving her.

“But –”

“Before you protest, do not fear for me. I shall be fine here with Father.” She reached forward and wove her fingers between his. Roy clung onto her tightly. “Of course I will. Your kingdom needs you, Roy. Your aunt needs you.”

Still, he was torn.

“She offered me complete, unconditional support when she did not know me. Offered me the truth when I was being deceived, although she did not need to. She offered us salvation and peace of mind without question. I’d like to offer her the same.”

He squeezed her hand. “You truly wouldn’t mind?”

A smile spread across her face. “I want to help her, just as she helped us.”

Roy lifted his hands to cup her cheeks. He rested his forehead upon hers and closed his eyes, basking in the never-ending support she always offered him.

“Riza…”

“Help her, Roy. Help her win this.”

Roy exhaled. He swept his thumbs across Riza’s cheeks as he attempted to ground himself and slow his racing thoughts and heart.

The uncertainty surrounding this announcement left him on edge. What this meant for his aunt, he did not know. She’d taken the throne. Overthrown the King. Was she all right? Was she hurt? Were her people all right?

And what all of this meant for his father… Roy didn’t know. Couldn’t even begin to guess.

But he needed to find out what happened, before anything else –

“Riza?”

The call from the King had Roy hesitating.

“Yes, Father?”

He caught up with them both, glancing at each of them. “Before you rush headfirst into this newest development, may I have a word privately with you both?”

Roy had the strange desire to immediately decline and continue on his way, but he held his tongue. Desperation would not help him, and he already owed the King so much. The least he could do was agree to offering his time when he’d asked so politely and had done so much for him.

“Of course, Your Highness,” Roy nodded.

They entered his study once more but were left alone.

“I understand your urgency, so I will make this brief. Take Riza with you.”

Roy blinked at him. “Pardon?”

“Father?” Her reaction was not dissimilar to his.

He nodded at them both, expression full of sincerity and confidence. “Riza, may I ask you to accompany the Prince on his return to his kingdom? To assist his aunt in her plans?”

“Father…”

The King nodded. “I sense the desire within you to assist him and his aunt. I can see it in your eyes, Riza,” he smiled softly. “And I would like to return the favour to her. After all,” he turned to Roy, “she secured safe passage for my daughter to return home after being deceived, against her knowledge. For that, I will be eternally grateful.”

“But… the fight here –”

“We have more than enough soldiers,” the King replied gently. “Of course, with the disruption and tumultuous times, I would prefer to keep you within my sights – both of you – but I recognise your desire to help, Riza. And I would not stop you from assisting your husband’s homeland when they required it.”

Roy turned to look at Riza, who’s cheeks had turned pink. They shared a look and Roy wondered when she’d shared the news with her father. Not that he was displeased – far from it – he was simply curious. Or, Roy wondered if they were that obvious in their affection for one another.

“Take a contingent of soldiers with you,” the King declared. “I can spare a few of my numbers now the worst of it appears to be over.”

They started to protest but stopped once he lifted his hand.

“I would not have you returning to the Fire Kingdom alone, Roy.” He levelled him with a serious look. “And I certainly would not allow you to return unprotected.” He shifted his gaze to his daughter. “The Duchess offered my daughter the numbers she needed to return home safely, without being aware what awaited them, so I will do the same to you, Roy.”

He swallowed passed the lump in his throat. The King was a kind and fair man. He’d offered Roy so much upon his arrival here. And now this, after his father’s attempted betrayal towards his own daughter…

“I would not allow the slights of one man affect others. And I knew your aunt, once… I would support her in her schemes.” Sincerity laced his tone. “I would support her rise to power without question.”

That surprised him, but Roy wasn’t given any time to question it.

“Now, off you go.” He shooed them out the room. “Both of you. Return and fight for your homeland, Roy. For your family. And Riza?”

“Yes, Father?” She looked as bewildered as Roy felt.

The King walked over to her and grasped her hands tightly. “Do not do anything too reckless,” he replied with a weak smile.

“Never, Father.”

He enveloped her in a hug and Roy averted his eyes, giving them some privacy in their quiet moment.

“Return to us,” Berthold whispered in her ear.

“Always, Father.”

“And bring him home too.”

Roy felt his heart swell within his chest and quietly cleared his throat.

“I will, Father. I would not leave him behind.”

The King patted her on the back one last time before withdrawing. When he walked over to Roy, he extended his hand for him to shake. Roy blinked down at it, surprised – apparently the day was full of them – and tentatively extended his own. Berthold grasped his forearm tightly and gave it a firm shake once.

“Take care of my daughter, Roy.”

A fire ignited within him, burning away his uncertainty, his worry, and his shock. He rolled his shoulders and met the King’s gaze head on. “I will,” he promised. “Until my last breath.”

The King smiled at him. “Good man. However, I hope that moment does not come until you are both old and grey haired.”

“I will make sure of it, Your Highness. I promise.”

Berthold grinned at him.

“Your Highness, if I may ask, keep Sir Breda here.”

The King shot him a questioning look.

“I wish to keep the bonds between our kingdoms strong,” Roy elaborated. “He is the most gifted strategist in my aunt’s arsenal and a good man. Same with Lord Fuery. I wish to keep my most trusted advisor here also. I hope my friends can assist you further and continue that connection between both thrones, no matter what happens.”

He would rather have them return with him for the moral support and the assistance, however a political play would help his cause, no matter what awaited him back home. He would not trade his people as pawns like his father had done, but he would request they be kept here to continue to fight for his home in Roy’s stead.

“I will agree to your request. But on one condition.”

“Anything, Your Highness.”

“You take Captain Falman, Lord Havoc, and their soldiers with you. They have proved themselves invaluable, and if you ask for me to keep the best of your people here, I would send you onwards with the best of mine.”


The ride to his former home was a quiet, hurried affair. Not much conversation was shared between them, each person travelling sensing the urgency with which Roy moved.

Quiet chatter did fill their camps at night. The soldiers relaxed and laughed with one another, pleased to be through with another day of hard riding. Roy opted to discuss plans with Riza, Lord Havoc, and Captain Falman. And only when they returned to their tent for the night did Roy confess his fears to his love.

“I do not know what will await us upon our return.”

Riza smiled up at him from her bedroll. She brushed his fringe from his face, causing Roy to bend his head forward and press a kiss to her palm.

“I know the feeling intimately.”

Roy hummed. “I suppose you do. How did you cope with it?”

He tried not to make himself sound so lost, so uncertain, but it was impossible. In front of Riza it was difficult to hold anything back. Not that he wished to.

She did not look at him with pity, simply understanding. He wished he knew how to navigate through the never-ending fear and anxiety which was threatening to crush him as each day passed.

It was a tricky minefield to traverse. His emotions were conflicted, even with his father’s poor treatment of him. He’d already lost his entire family. He felt within his heart he was clinging onto his father as the one last connection to them, but also felt he really shouldn’t be. He did not deserve the treatment he’d received from the man but…

Ultimately, he hoped beyond hope his aunt was all right. That the fighting hadn’t been bloody. But he had no way of knowing. He hadn’t even expected something like that would ever happen. She’d always made throwaway comments when he’d visited – “I would be better suited on the throne than him” – but Roy had never imagined…

She’d actually gone ahead with it. And achieved it.

“It was not without difficulty,” Riza admitted. She swiped a thumb across his forehead tenderly. “But I had you,” she added quietly.

He felt a sudden sadness wash over him. “But I was unable to ride by your side, as I promised.”

Riza shook her head. “Which was not your fault.” Again, her tone held no judgement or disappointment. It only rang with the truth. “You were physically barred from being there.”

Roy’s eyelids fluttered closed. “I wish I could have been,” he whispered into the night.

“I know, Roy. I know.”

He sighed quietly when she kissed him, then. Expressed her understanding of his desire to assist her in whatever way she needed through her affection.

They were already close, but Roy scooted even closer to her. Their breaths mingled together, the air between them growing hotter with each exhale. He ran his fingers across an eyebrow, across her temple, to attempt to brush her fringe behind her ear. Of course, strands sprang back into place and she wrinkled her nose as they tickled her skin. With a smirk, Roy shifted them into a more comfortable place and undid what he’d wrought.

“Sorry,” he chuckled.

Riza simply beamed up at him, so he kissed her.

“The thought of you kept me going, Roy,” Riza whispered. “I drew on the strength you’d always shown in my presence. That steady, calming demeanour which always left me feeling comforted.”

He felt hope surge within his chest. “Comforted?”

Riza nodded. “I always felt that way with you by my side.”

But Roy felt uncertainty creep back in. “But I was thrust into your life. Against your wishes, I’m sure. Was assigned as your shadow when in truth, you needed no such thing.”

“And you were also thrust into that position, Roy. You were brought to us without you having a say in the matter.”

“And it is something I will be eternally grateful for, regardless. As it brought me to you.”

Riza’s smile softened. Her love was reflected back to him within her eyes. “As will I.”


There was no one in the courtyard. No guards manning the doors of the castle, the seat of power of the Fire Kingdom.

Roy swallowed and nudged his horse forward hesitantly.

Riza remained close to his side, eyes scanning the grounds like a hawk, on the lookout for anyone who may still be around. Lord Havoc and Captain Falman did the same. They rose to the occasion to protect their future Queen and the prince without question. Roy felt immediately better they were here with him.

Once they dismounted, Riza quietly directed the rest of their group to remain with the horses. She, Roy, Captain Falman, and Lord Havoc would enter the castle together and track down his aunt.

The castle halls were eerily quiet as they walked them. No staff, no courtiers, and no guards littered the halls. The tight ball of uncertainty within Roy’s stomach tightened even further. He swallowed passed the lump within his throat and pressed onwards.

“The throne room?” Riza’s question was quiet. She did not speak loudly nor did she speak many words. She probably didn’t want to disrupt the silence which had blanketed the castle. Roy knew he didn’t wish to.

He nodded and directed them to the throne room. It was the only place his aunt would be, he was sure of it. If she’d assumed power, surely that was where she’d place herself…?

Roy exhaled in relief as soon as they stepped cautiously within the room.

Duchess Chris Mustang was not sat atop the throne. A long table had been brought in, and it sat at the base of the raised dais, upon which the thrones sat on. While she still sat at the head of the table, the others she spoke with sat around it with her – at the same level.

Roy had witnessed his father using his height and the elevation of the dais to his benefit. To appear more intimidating and in control. To separate himself from his subjects. But Chris did not, and it was the first thing Roy noticed.

“Chris…” He breathed her name in pure relief. He hadn’t intended to speak. From the set of her features it appeared she was deep in conversation with those around her table, very focussed and intent on what was being said. He hadn’t wished to interrupt, but Roy couldn’t help himself. After the initial missive and the day’s of travel not knowing what had happened, it was drawn from him without his notice. He interrupted the room’s conversation – not his intention – and Chris’ head swung round to meet his eyes almost immediately.

A smirk curled her lips and she stood, abandoning those she’d been speaking to almost immediately.

“You’ve returned so soon? This is most unexpected.”

Roy strode to meet her half way and enveloped her within his arms.

He didn’t think, he just did it. And apparently, it had surprised his aunt.

But… She’d been his rock growing up. She’d offered an escape when home became too much. His brothers were always there and were always willing to assist but when he needed to escape the confines of the castle walls, her door was always open. She’d often suggested to his father she take him for the weekend, or for the week. There had never been any resistance and Roy had been too excited to dwell on it. He didn’t bother to do it, even now.

It didn’t matter.

Nothing else mattered.

Because she was okay.

“Are you all right?” Roy whispered his question and inhaled deeply. He took in the very smell which was her and felt all his muscles relax. He felt his heart cease its rapid beating. Seeing her well brought him peace of mind.

Chris lifted a hand and patted it against his back. “I’m fine, Roy. No need to worry about me.”

He pulled back and gaped at her. “How did this… How did you –”

“I will speak with you about it soon. I promise.” Her gaze met his. “I have some things to discuss then I will come and find you immediately afterward, if that is all right?”

“Yes. Yes, of course.” Roy glanced over at Riza, and she nodded too in agreement. “Where shall we wait for you?”

“In your quarters. I shall come and see you both there.” She turned her head to call over her shoulder. “Winry?”

“Yes, My Lady?” The young woman who’d served Roy in his confinement stood from the table and made her way over to Chris.

“Can you show these fine gentleman to a greeting room?” She gestured towards Captain Falman and Lord Havoc. “I will come and collect you both personally when I am finished here, if that is all right with you?”

They each blinked at her in surprise. They hadn’t expected to be included, that much was true, but Roy would be happy to have them there. He had no protest against their presence.

“Of course, My Lady.” Lord Havoc was the first to rediscover his voice.

“Yes, My Lady. No problem at all.”

“Good,” Chris nodded. Her gaze moved back to Roy’s. “It’s good to see you well, Roy.” She smiled at him proudly. “It looks good on you.”

He felt his face heat and he couldn’t help the smile which overtook his face.

“You too, Princess,” she added, looking over his shoulder to Riza, who remained tight to his side.

Riza inclined her head in respect to his aunt. “Thank you, Duchess. Same to you.”

“Please.” She waved away that formality. “Call me Chris. That’s all I need. I shall finish up here momentarily and will come and find you both, if that would suit you?”

“Whatever you need,” Roy promised.

She smirked at him. “All I ever needed was to see you well, nephew,” she murmured. “It suits you.” Her eyes flicked over to Riza, and her expression morphed into a knowing smile. “We will catch up soon.”

Roy squeezed her hand tightly within his before he let go, retiring to his old rooms once more, but this time, with Riza by his side and his mind at rest.

Chapter 28

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Roy led her to the space where he’d spent most of his childhood in silence, but his steps were eager. Enthusiastic. His posture was easy, and he held her hand loosely within hers as they walked, swinging their arms back and forth naturally as they walked. It felt so organic it sent a thrill through Riza. They’d never walked such a way together. They’d never had the chance. Being the Princess had never granted her such an opportunity within her own castle’s walls. There was decorum to follow, which had been drilled into her since she was a child. It was ingrained within her, but the prospect of throwing it away for the moment thrilled her.

They were no longer people of power. They were just two people. As simple as that. She was Riza, and he was Roy – no titles to speak of. And while Riza would never begrudge her responsibilities or duties, it was… nice. To throw off the weight and worries from her shoulder for a moment and grant herself this small break. And to spend it with Roy. Nothing made her happier.

And Riza also noted how comfortable Roy appeared to be now within these castle walls, compared to the last time they’d been here. As if a great weight or tension had been relieved from his shoulders.

After the stress from their uncertain ride had broken, and after his aunt’s reassuring proposal, an easy silence had befallen them. They walked the halls of his childhood home comfortably. Peacefully.

Before, when she’d been a visitor, and had been escorted through these halls, there was an underlying tension in everything. The travel, the discussion with his father, the revelation from Roy’s aunt. Now, there was nothing. No sense of foreboding or uncertainty. Just peace and serenity as they moved throughout the walls.

The stresses which had been weighing upon Riza’s shoulders on his behalf eased as soon as she saw Roy relax. If he felt all was well – and was happy with what he’d witnessed – then she would as well. Obviously, she was pleased the Duchess was unharmed. She was in control and Riza found herself warily wondering what on earth had happened to Roy’s father.

He did not strike Riza as the type to give up power so easily and step aside.

It caused Riza to wonder just exactly what Duchess Chris Mustang was capable of.4

And where the King was now…

Despite their newfound easiness, Roy kept a tight hold of her hand as they walked. She took comfort in how he wished her to remain close to him and maintain contact. It sent a thrill through her. However, she found herself pulling away once they entered his quarters. Not intentionally. Intrigue had guided her movements.

This was the space he’d enjoyed and found solace in when he was a child. Before he’d been forced to come to the Forest Kingdom.

Riza drifted away, distractedly, and gravitated over to the bookcases in his main room.

The room itself was no different from the one she’d been shown to in design and furniture. But this bookcase… It had a certain character to it. Everything else was similar to the room she’d been in previously – bare, with little personal effects – aside from his collection of books. They were crammed into the shelves, stored two deep. Riza pulled one back from the front and found a different set hiding behind it. She perused them all, noting all the titles, enjoying the fact they ranged from all manners of fiction, to some non-fiction as well. There were books on plant life – surprising to her, given the lack of greenery she’d come across so far within his father’s kingdom – ranging to weather patterns. There was even an updated atlas of the world. She pulled it out, eager to find her own kingdom amongst the pages…

But what she did not expect to find were detailed notes lining the pages of her kingdom.

Lush foliage and plentiful wildlife.

“Goal: witness Pixies in action at least once

Go with Fuery to observe plant life for his potions

They were all annotations he’d made.

Even the great cliffs of the north were circled and marked with: “See the great waterfalls of the north.

“I hope my book collection is satisfactory.”

Roy had been silent as soon as they entered his rooms. He seemed content to allow Riza to wander and explore on her own. But now he stepped up behind her to read over her shoulder. She felt the heat of him radiating against her back and relished in it indulgently. Without realising it, she leaned back into him.

“I must admit, I was young and ambitious as I wrote these.” He reached around her and ran a finger across the page he’d made his notes on, but the motion was a fond one.

Riza smiled and angled her head towards him, noting the endearingly sheepish lilt to his voice, but did not take her eyes off the page before her. “You always wished to see my kingdom?”

She felt him nod. His head was so close to hers it disturbed her hair – enough for it to tickle her cheek. Finally, she turned her head as best she could to look at him.

“I did. Yours was – is – the epitome of life. I always thought so, anyway. So did Fuery. We would always talk about it for hours,” he added, smiling wistfully, glancing away for a brief moment as he lost himself in a memory. Then, he snapped back, focussing back on Riza with an excited smile. “It always felt like it would be a sanctuary to me before I’d ever visited. I don’t know why, but it did.”

Riza snapped the book closed and placed it back on the shelf carefully. She spun in his arms so they were finally face to face. So she could finally focus all of her attention on him.

“And was it everything you hoped it was?”

Roy smiled tenderly at her. He lowered his head so their lips joined together, causing Riza to sigh against him. She lifted her arms to hook around his neck, drawing herself even closer to him.

“Everything, and more, my love.”

His lips were soft as they brushed against hers, but it wasn’t enough for Riza. She drew him closer still with a hand clasped behind his neck. Roy was in no rush to escape and let out a quiet groan as Riza deepened the kiss.

“You make me so happy, Roy.”

His smile was so boyish it made Riza’s heart soar. It nearly brought tears to her eyes, so overwhelmed she felt for love for him. “You have brought life into my otherwise dreary existence, Riza. I will forever be grateful to you for that.”

She whimpered against him, then sighed.

“What is it,” he asked as he nuzzled his nose against her cheek. He never strayed far from her, content to keep her as close to him as possible.

Riza sighed again. “You always speak as though I am the best thing that has happened to you –”

“Because you are,” he answered sincerely.

Riza pulled back and looked into his eyes, so filled with love.

“And I believe you, wholeheartedly. But know this, My King. The same applies to you. Although your arrival in my kingdom was unanticipated by all parties, I am sincerely glad you found your way to us.”

“As am I.” Roy’s expression was earnest as he looked upon her. So determined to ensure she knew she was loved and cherished.

Riza smiled and bent her head, bringing it to rest upon his shoulder. She looped her arms around his waist and Roy didn’t hesitate for a second to draw her in close with arms wrapped around her shoulders.

After their anxious ride from her home, the pair finally found some semblance of peace. They revelled in it for as long as they could as well, too content to let the other go.


“I staged a coup.”

Riza’s gaze shifted over to Roy to gauge his reaction. Like her, he looked as surprised as Riza felt with the revelation.

“How…” Roy cleared his throat and shifted in his chair. “How did you manage it?”

“It was not a spur of the moment decision. It is something my people and I have been concocting for years. Decades.”

His expression changed slightly. A brief glimmer of hurt fluttered over his face, which Riza could sympathise with. Roy had told Riza all about how Chris had taken him in, sheltered him, when home became too much. How she felt more of a parent to him than his own father. And to not be informed of such a plan from the one person in his family he trusted must have been a shock. And must have had a slight sting to it.

The Duchess appeared to notice this too.

“I wished to tell you, Roy. I honestly did. However I could not be sure my secrets would be safe. Not because of you,” she added hurriedly, “but because of him. I had no clue what hold he had over you, as he always kept us apart, except for when it suited him.” Her expression softened and she truly looked regretful. “I have only ever wished for your safety, so I tried my best to give you that in whatever capacity was permitted of me. And the fact that statement even exists drove me to work harder to bring this kingdom the justice it deserved. The justice you deserved.”

Riza watched as Roy swallowed and dropped his gaze. She reached for his hand and entwined their fingers together, giving his hand a quick squeeze. He latched on immediately and didn’t appear to be in a rush to let her go.

“I do not doubt he will retaliate, or those loyal to him will protest. However for now, I am in control. Although…” Her eyes flashed with a hint of… something. “I suppose, technically, it is you who should be the one in charge. Not me.”

Roy’s expression changed to one which looked like dread and his entire body stiffened.

Riza’s heart pounded loudly within her chest.

“That is, unless you have made other arrangements…?” She lifted an eyebrow and her gaze flicked between him and Riza, looking pointedly down at their joined hands. A smirk even blossomed over her face.

Roy cleared his throat as his cheeks turned a light shade of pink. “Things are uncertain at the moment, what with the current state of affairs. However,” he added, “I do not intend to take this throne. I never wanted it, and it was never truly intended to be mine.”

Riza’s gaze snapped back over to him as Roy’s voice wavered slightly on the last word he spoke.

But it didn’t deter him.

“I have found My Queen.” He glanced over at Riza, and she saw the love and certainty he held for her within his eyes. It was brimming over, and so clear and true, it caused Riza’s heart to swell within her chest. She sucked in a breath and nodded in agreement with him. “And I shall follow her to the ends of the earth if she should ask it of me.”

Riza nodded again and squeezed his hand tight – Roy returned the favour.

“Truly?”

She turned to face the Duchess. “Yes. I would do the same for him.”

“I love her, Chris.”

Riza’s heart skipped a beat. It thudded hard beneath her ribcage with the revelation. It soared high within the sky above them, so happy to hear such a confession from the man she loved so completely.

“And I could not picture anyone else by my side.”

The Duchess appeared completely satisfied by their answers. And still looked rather smug. “I am glad to hear it. I’m happy for you, nephew. I’m glad you’ve finally found your place.”

Roy’s face lit up. It warmed Riza’s heart as he looked over at her, never looking away. “I have.”

“If things weren’t so uncertain and potentially volatile, I would stage a celebration for you both, to welcome Riza into our family.” She shot Riza a grin. “But alas, perhaps now is not the best time. But it will happen,” she warned. “I shall make sure of it.”

Roy let out a quiet laugh. “And we look forward to it.”

“Good. Now, shall we call upon your fellow companions to join us? I am more than happy to discuss with them what has transpired in order to feed it back to King Hawkeye. I hope to create a true, long-lasting alliance between our two kingdoms, Princes, and I hope the Forest Kingdom feels the same?”

She did not assume and was respectful as she asked her question. She did no press or try to force or coerce her into it. Riza respected and appreciated how honest and fair the Duchess was regarding such matters, and it made her like her even more.

And of course she’d hope for a strong alliance between both their kingdoms. Personal feelings and circumstances aside, she wished it for Roy’s sake. Whether it was his father on the throne or his aunt, she did not want him to feel as torn as he had previously when the announcement dropped about his aunt’s coup. She only wanted him to be happy. If he never wanted to return here, that was up to him. She’d respect and support whatever he chose. However, she would never like to take the opportunity away from him. She’d fight to ensure he had the choice, to make it as freely as he wished, regardless for who was sitting on this throne.

“Yes, we do,” Riza answered. “My father is more than happy to lend assistance to you, Duchess, in whatever way you require it.”

She smiled and nodded regally in acceptance.

“As am I,” Riza added. “I wish to assist you, My Lady. Not only to repay you for everything you have done for Roy and I the last time we were here –”

The Duchess waved a hand in front of her, dismissing Riza’s attempts at repayment. “Your Highness, you do not have to worry about such things.”

“But I want to.” Riza met her gaze steadily. “I want to help you as you helped us. And I want to stand by Roy’s side as I do so, as he helps his family.”

She eyed Riza quietly for a moment. “If you are sure, Princess.”

“I am,” Riza confirmed, speaking firmly to cement her desire to thank the woman who’d done so much for them.

“All right,” she relented. “Admittedly, at the moment, there is nothing which needs our immediate attention. However, I shall call on you if we need it.” She glanced over at one of the guards who stood by the door. “Please collect Captain Falman and Lord Havoc and bring them here. It is time to discuss official matters.”

The guard nodded and bowed low, fist over heart, before exiting the room.

“I only wished to speak privately with you both first,” the Duchess explained, “especially with how things were when you both left here before. It does my heart well to know you are both okay and made it back home relatively unscathed.”

Riza did not miss how she referred to both of their return to the Forest Kingdom as “home”.

 Lord Havoc and Captain Falman entered the room shortly afterwards. Lord Havoc immediately looked around and sought Riza out to ensure she was all right. She supposed old habits die hard. But she appreciated it, nonetheless. She appreciated the reminder he was always there to watch her back, should she ever need it. And with the way his eyes flicked over to Roy next, Riza supposed it wouldn’t be long until he was accepted under Lord Havoc’s noble care as well.

How the tables turn, Riza thought with a smile. And then the realisation of the potential further acceptance of him threatened to spread wide across her face, but Riza managed to keep it under control and school her features as they both took up a seat at the Duchess’ table.

“Come,” Chris welcomed them both to her table. “Sit and rest. We have much to discuss. Starting with the invasion and where it currently stands.”

Notes:

bit of filler, bit of plot... wish i could offer more, but here we are. hopefully on the home straight now to the end, so stay tuned!

Chapter Text

“Will you be all right?”

Chris smirked at him. “My boy, I staged a coup. And succeeded. I shall be fine.”

Still, he found the urge, deep within, to remain by her side, despite the pull to return to where his heart truly lay. With Riza. In the Forest Kingdom.

“Go,” his aunt urged. “Return to your home.”

Roy felt pain seize his heart. “You are my home also. Never doubt that.”

Chris showed him one of her rare, genuine smiles. “Nephew, there has never been any doubt. Ever. And while home is not a place,” she gestured the castle behind her, “it is the people who you consider as your own,” her smile softened as a hand dropped back to her side, “I know where your heart lies, my boy. And I would not have you throw away this chance to be truly happy for the first time for my benefit.”

Roy swallowed the lump in his throat. “I was always happy with you, Chris. I was.”

“Then I accomplished what I set out to do. But you are not a young lad anymore, Roy.” She glanced over his shoulder to where Riza was deep in conversation with Lord Havoc. “Go to where your heart truly lies, not where you feel it should sit out of obligation. I can see where you are genuinely happy. Do not let it slip through your fingers.”

Roy turned and noted how the early morning light glanced off Riza’s hair, making it shimmer. The sun was still rising and hadn’t reached the heights of the grey cloud cover, casting the world in a pink and orange glow, and it illuminated her. The sight of her beauty took his breath away initially, and it did so again now. He felt as though the air was sucked from his lungs as he gazed upon the woman whom his heart beat solely for.

“Return home.” Roy glanced back at Chris. “Assist your Queen in reclaiming her kingdom and fight for what you love.”

Roy wrapped his arms around Chris and hugged her tight. “If you should ever need anything –”

“I shall call on you. I know, Roy.” She patted his back placatingly, like a mother to a troubled son.

“I do not like leaving you.”

“But you will,” Chris replied sternly. “I have more than enough people with me here to support me and to do what needs to be done. Go,” she urged, waving a hand towards Riza. “Live your own life. Not the one he dictated for you. Not by my side, away from your future wife.”

His heart still twinged slightly, despite knowing what Chris spoke was the truth. But he accepted it. His aunt would be fine without him. Hell, she’d overthrown his father without him.

She’d be just fine.

“Where is he?”

He’d never managed to get Chris alone to ask her and there was a burning desire within him to know.

Her expression darkened. “He is away from here.” It appeared that was all she was willing to offer, but her shoulders dropped, and she relented slightly. “I gave him a choice, in the end. And he must have recognised the number who were against him. He stepped down, Roy.”

That surprised him. He would never have thought his father would give up without a fight. Especially not with how stern and adamant he was about Roy returning to his duties the last time he’d been here.

“I hashed out a lot with my brother while you were away. Things which needed to be said and dealt with years ago, before you were even born, but I never did. It was a long time coming, and it happened.” She shrugged as if it were inevitable. “Ultimately, it was not your fight, Roy. You were simply – and unfairly – caught up in the result of it all.”

“But –”

“It’s not your battle, Roy,” she repeated gently. “I know you wish to assist me, and I know, deep down, you hold some kind of concern for your father.”

The feeling flashed through him. As did guilt.

“And it is because he is just that – your father. No child should be forced to turn against a parent. I am sorry I did not step in sooner or do more.”

“You did more than enough,” he replied fiercely. “You did everything.”

“That is kind of you to say,” she smiled at him again. “But I didn’t. And I will live with that for the rest of my life. But what happened between myself and my brother, was just that, all right? It is not something I want you to worry about. And I shall not keep my brother shackled in chains and hidden away. Just as he is your father, and you feel conflicted because of it, he is my brother. And I hate what I have had to do. But it will change. And it is not for you to worry over, all right? You have your own life now. Your own future to focus on. Do that and ensure your own happiness.”

“So I am not allowed to fear for my aunt’s own safety?”

Chris smirked at him. “Of course you are. Just as I always wonder and wish for yours. But you marry that girl first, before anything else, understand?”

The emotions he felt for his love rushed to the surface at the reminder he may actually be able to marry her. And soon, too. He felt his skin flush hot and the corners of his lips quirked upwards with his joy.

“Promise me,” Chris prompted.

“Okay,” Roy agreed. “I shall focus on that first. But, in the meantime, if you ever need me, ask me.”

Chris nodded with a wide smile upon her face. “I will, Roy. Do not fear.”

A weight lifted from his shoulders. “Thank you.”

Riza chose that moment to reach his side. He felt her presence like a balm and he instinctively turned towards her. She smiled up at him, looping their fingers together where he latched on tight. Her face appeared to light up as soon as he returned her soft smile and she held onto him even tighter.

Chris chuckled, causing them both to tear their gazes from one another. Riza’s cheeks turned slightly pink and Roy felt the urge to clear his throat and refocus himself.

“I think you both shall be just fine,” she smirked. “I wish you a safe return journey. Roy,” she nodded to him. “Princess Riza.”

Roy drew Chris into a hug, which she returned eagerly. He wasn’t the least bit surprised when Chris drew Riza’s into her arms as well.

“Please let us know if you require anything in the future, My Lady.”

“I will, Princess. Same to you. You and your kingdom shall always have our support.”

Riza’s smile was radiant. “Thank you, My Lady. The same goes for you and your people. I know my father will be keen to ensure all is well between us.”

Chris walked off, leaving them both alone as soldiers milled around them, readying the horses for their return trip.

“Are you okay?” Riza peered up at him with quiet concern.

Roy nodded. “I am. Seeing her safe and well… I’m glad,” he replied honestly. He felt all his uncertainty from the previous few days leak from his body. His shoulders relaxed as he sighed, watching his aunt pause and speak to Lord Havoc and Captain Falman, who listened to her with rapt attention.

“I understand.”

He turned his head to look at Riza. She smiled at him again and squeezed his hand.

“Yes, I suppose you do.” He lifted an arm to wrap it around her shoulders, pulling her in tight against his side. “I’m glad you’re here, Riza.”

“There’s nowhere else I’d rather be.”

His didn’t think it possible, but his heart swelled with even more love for her. “Are you ready to return home?”

An eyebrow quirked upwards in question. “Home?”

“To the Forest Kingdom.”

Her expression softened. A hand lifted to cup Roy’s cheek, drawing him to face her fully.

Roy nodded. “Although…” He turned completely to face her, guided by her gentle touch, and wrapped his arms around her waist, bringing her flush against his chest. Riza angled her head up at him, a tiny wrinkle of confusion appearing between her brows.

“Although?”

“I find I’m already home.”

Confusion continued to reign, then she appeared to misunderstand. Her face fell for a brief moment before it altered, her smile returning. But it didn’t appear to be entirely genuine. It was laced with a hint of sadness, as she thought he meant here, where he grew up, was his home.

This brilliant, wonderful woman… How could she be so clueless, after so long? After all she’d witnessed from him so far, Roy thought fondly.

Before her thoughts could run away with her, Roy leaned forward into a tender kiss.

“With you, Riza. With you, I am home. Nowhere else.”

Her expression lit up again, her eyes sparkling in the dawn light, banishing the sadness such despondent thoughts about where his heart lay had brought her.

“Me too.” Her cheek pressed into his shoulder and arms wrapped around his torso tightly, giving him a squeeze. Roy was eager to return the gesture. He lifted a hand to her head, cradling her body against his.

He’d never felt anything like this before. This overwhelming urge to be as close to her as possible. He wished to hold her within his arms every second of every day if he could. For that was when the world felt right. That was when everything made sense to him. Where his world was brighter and more vibrant. One look within Riza’s eyes anchored him to the earth and settled his soul and his mind. It was overwhelming, in a terrifying, incredible way.

“I love you, Riza Hawkeye.”

“And I love you, Roy Mustang. Forever.”

He turned his head to press a kiss against her hair. “Forever,” he promised.

In the hubbub of the castle courtyard, the two embraced, lost in the tender moment they shared. They didn’t notice others pausing to look upon them. Smiles spread across faces and a gentle murmur broke out among the people, commenting on the Prince and Princess and how well they fit together.

Chris grinned and at them both, pleased her nephew was finally happy. He was free, and he was living his life the way he wished to. That was all the Duchess had ever wanted for him.

Captain Falman was much more stoic, but it did remind him of his own wife. His hands twitched at his sides restlessly, eager to return to her and tell her he loved her. To see their children – especially the mischievous scamp Aaron, no matter how many years he shaved off his father’s life with his penchant for trouble.

Lord Havoc broke out into a wide smile, pleased to see his Princess – but most importantly, his friend – find the one who could walk by her side. He could not have imagined a better fit for her and rejoiced in how his kingdom was close to becoming whole once more. Plus, the added advantage of joining with the Fire Kingdom was not terrible. Lord Havoc knew this did not influence their decision at all but couldn’t help but think about how strong the ties between the two kingdoms would be now, especially after such a tumultuous time in recent years.

“Let’s return home, my love.”

Riza grinned up at Roy. “Let us go home, My King.”

Chapter Text

The underground keep was a changed place when their party returned from the Fire Kingdom. Celebrations were in full swing as they entered through the doorway to cheers and the sound of boisterous singing. Children scampered through the crowds as they played, their delightful giggles swallowed by the celebrations.

Riza blinked as they walked through the throng and were greeted eagerly by her people. They lifted their glasses to them all and cheered for her return. With a lightly embarrassed blush covering her cheeks, she made her way towards her father, who stood at the head of the amassed group of people – standing beside him were Lord Fuery and Sir Breda – wearing a proud smile on his face.

“Father? What has happened?”

How she’d longed for a day such as this, where her people were filled with joy and were rejoicing. When they were finally free from the hold the Orcs had had over them for the past year. Was it finally here? Could so much have occurred in the time she’d spent away from here?

Did she dare believe it?

“Victory.”

Her lips parted in shock.

Her father’s eyes gleamed with joy and once more, he stood straight and tall. His slumped posture was a thing of the past, now the weight of all he had to plan and prepare for was lifted from his shoulders. He looked completely rejuvenated.

“Victory?” Roy pressed for an explanation for her, as she was too stunned to yet formulate a response.

Victory?

Was it finally…?

The King nodded. “The Orcs have retreated from our lands. Soldiers have scouted everywhere and there is no sign of them. We are victorious!” His cry rang out in the keep, echoing off the walls and setting everyone off cheering again.

“Truly?”

The King stepped forward and hugged his daughter. “It is true, Riza. We are at peace. The threat is gone. For now.”

Her body sagged against his.

Those who’d travelled with her, who stood behind her, let out laughs of disbelief. When she turned, she saw Roy shaking hands with Lord Havoc, both elated with the news. As soon as he spied movement from the corner his eye, he turned to meet her gaze.

Inevitably, they gravitated towards each other. When Roy hoisted her into a bear hug, lifting her feet of the ground, she let out a quiet squeal of surprise and held onto him even tighter as he spun her around. A thrill coiled within her stomach as she squeezed her eyes tightly closed in delight. A laugh bubbled up and out of her throat.

“I’m so pleased for you all, Riza.”

When her feet connected back with the earth, she pulled back and cupped his cheeks within her palms. His smile was so bright it caused the corners of his eyes to crinkle. “For you too, Roy. As you said, this is your home now as well. Your people.”

He beamed at her reminder of his acceptance among her people.

She brought their foreheads together and exhaled softly, feeling the weight and stress of all which had transpired in the last year flee her body.

“Finally…” The words were spoken so only he could hear. He knew of how much she’d feared, of how everything had taken its toll on her. As the cheers continued around them, Riza felt him nod against her.

“Finally,” he confirmed.

Riza pressed a kiss to his cheek.

“People of the forests!” Her father’s cry rose above the jubilation. “Your Princess and her chosen Consort have returned to us! Our kingdom is nearing to be complete once more.”

A cheer rang around the keep so loud Riza itched to cringe away from it. Instead, she stepped into Roy’s side where he held her tight against him with an arm around her waist.

Riza was no stranger to the attention of her people. For years she’d been treated with the appropriate reverence, but her mother had commanded all the attention in the room, leaving very little for Riza, which was how she preferred it. Then after she passed, it was sympathy she’d been regarded with. Now, this was different. They all looked at her as they had her mother. For guidance. As their Queen.

She inhaled deeply, letting this new change in her life settle upon her bones. The past few weeks had been so fraught with travel and war it had been easy to forget she was supposed to lead these people, as her mother had taught her to. She was responsible for their lives. Their livelihoods. Ensuring they prospered and were happy because of the decisions she made…

Roy tightened his grip on her waist. His fingers increased their pressure by her hip and he held on tight, not once letting go as her father continued to speak to their people. She turned to look at him, seeing nothing but adoration, respect, and confidence reflected within his eyes. His smile never wavered once and he gave her hip another encouraging squeeze.

It bolstered her and settled her nerves.

She could do this. With him by her side, drawing on his strength and all the faith he put in her so confidently, she could navigate this new territory.

Riza would do it with the man she loved, her King, by her side.

Chapter 31: Epilogue

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Riza?”

Her ears pricked up at the sound of someone hissing her name. Her eyes unfocussed on the passage she’d been reading in her book as she listened intently, waiting to hear it again.

“Riza!” Rebecca’s head popped out from behind the door to her quarters. She grinned and quickly threw open the door, saying nothing more.

Riza put down her book immediately and shoved herself out the chair. Her feet ended up tangled in the skirt of her dress, halting her progress and making her stumble for a second. Excitement coiled within her stomach and the thrill of her friend’s appearance coursed through her veins.

It was time.

“Come on!” Rebecca laughed. “You’re taking forever. I thought you wanted to leave as soon as possible.”

“I’m moving as quickly as I can, Rebecca,” Riza huffed, but there was no irritation in her voice. Rebecca was only teasing, and she was far too happy the moment was finally here to care about anything else anyway. “There is only so much I can do in these skirts.”

“Good job your Prince is waiting for you then,” she quipped, waggling her eyebrows from the doorway to Riza’s bedroom. “I’m sure he would be more than happy to relieve you of your burden, My Lady.”

Riza elbowed Rebecca’s side as she giggled, too pleased with herself for her joke.

But she was not wrong. Roy would be more than happy to do it and Riza knew she’d enjoy it immensely too.

Once outside her rooms, right before Rebecca walked around the corner and into another hallway, Riza’s eyes widened and grabbed her friends wrist. She yanked her backwards, causing Rebecca to let out a quiet yelp, and hurried to draw her back the way they’d come.

“Guards?” Rebecca’s whisper was quiet as they both sprinted down the empty hallway.

Riza nodded to answer her question.

They rounded a corner and pressed their backs flush against the wall. In the distance, they heard the sound of conversation float down the hall before it disappeared.

Both women looked at one another and broke out into laughter.

“Psst!”

Riza whirled in place to see Lord Havoc poking his head out from a doorway at the end of the hall. He grinned at them both and his eyes lit up in that special way they did every time he saw Rebecca Catalina.

They’d been married a month and it was almost sickly how sweet they were with one another.

“This way is clear.”

Both women hurried over to him. Once Rebecca was nearly in reach, Jean stepped out from behind the door and opened his arms. With a laugh Rebecca launched herself into them, allowing Jean to swing her around in a circle, sending her skirts swishing.

“I missed you,” he murmured.

“I missed you too.”

Once brought back to earth, Jean lowered his hand to cover Rebecca’s stomach. “You too, little one,” he cooed. When Rebecca giggled his eyes snapped back up to meet hers. “I missed both of you.”

Riza turned to give them some privacy as soon as Rebecca threw her arms around his neck and placed a huge kiss upon Jean’s lips.

She smiled, despite their blatant disregard for propriety, pleased they were so happy with one another.

“If you both wouldn’t mind, I would like to get moving to find my own husband-to-be,” she called over her shoulder at them.

“I will never be finished with you, Jean Havoc.”

Riza pretended to gag and laughed when Rebecca’s elbow caught her side. It seemed they were trading blows now, while Jean’s face turned bright pink, but was still completely smitten with her answer.

They were too adorable.

“Was it a successful trip?”

Jean managed to tear his heart shaped eyes towards Riza. “Yes.” He grinned at her, his smile wide and full. “He’s waiting on you, Riza.”

Her skin felt itchy with restlessness and she wrenched the door open. She stole away through her castle silently as her two friends followed close behind, laughing at her eagerness.

“When you expressed your desire to… “escape” the castle the night before your wedding day, I did not expect you to mean actually steal away like a thief in the night.”

Riza just grinned at Jean.

Truth be told, this was the most fun she’d had in months. It was exhilarating sneaking through her own castle as guards lurked around the corners, waiting to question her on where she was going alone, and offering their assistance to help her to her destination.

In truth, Riza could dismiss them and they’d follow her order.

But this was just so much more fun.

And that was something which felt like it had been missing from Riza’s life for a long time. After the war ended, after the damage was repaired, and when they finally found themselves in a period of peace, such occurrences were becoming more and more common. And Riza couldn’t have picked a better group of people to laugh with.

Expertly, their group successfully manoeuvred their way silently to the stables undetected.

“What a rush,” Rebecca giggled. “We should do that more often.”

“Let’s assist our Queen first, Becca, before we admit to any more clandestine activities.”

“Please,” Rebecca snorted. “She already knows we’re far from innocent. Riza knows fine well we snuck into each other’s quarters a lot before we were even married.”

Jean appeared to choke on the very air he was breathing as Rebecca cackled at successfully teasing him. His face turned beetroot red at having his business so brazenly shared about in public.

Rebecca,” he finally managed to hiss, but only sounded half outraged.

“Relax, Jean. She’s my best friend.” Rebecca’s eyes flicked to Riza’s and she grinned. “She’s like a sister to me. I tell her everything.”

The sentiment warmed Riza’s heart immensely. They’d always been friends. Always been close. But now, without the threat of all they loved being torn down on top of them, their friendship had blossomed into even more. The “My Lady’s” were few and far between, and were only used now while teasing, really. Which Riza preferred much more. Like Rebecca said, nowadays it felt more like they were sisters. Riza had never had that bond before, and she wouldn’t want to lose it.

“It’s true, Jean. We tell each other everything.”

He grumbled to himself, sounding very put out at this reveal.

She’d become closer with Jean too. It had taken him a while to lose the “Your Majesty”, but nowadays it only slipped in now and then when they were in casual company. He too was like a brother to her. They’d grown up together, and their friendship had strengthened even more. They were best friends.

“Speaking of, run off to see your prince, My Lady. I look forward to hearing all about it upon your return.” Rebecca even winked.

At the mention of Roy, Riza’s breath caught in her throat and her excitement returned ten-fold.

It had been a long week without him.

Too long.

And now, they were finally to be reunited.

“He’s in the agreed upon place?”

Jean stopped his mumbling and dropped his half-hearted glares to nod, finally meeting Riza’s gaze with a wide smile. “Ride north, towards the waterfalls. That’s where he wishes to meet you. He told me he’d be “in your spot”.”

Riza gripped the horses reins tightly within her hands once she mounted, knowing exactly where he’d be.

Where they’d first broken down the barriers between them.

Riza nodded and nudged her horse, encouraging it forward.

In the sleepy, evening light, guards reacted to her tearing through the castle gates with confusion. They called after her, wondering where she was off to in such a hurry, but Riza didn’t wait to explain.

Rebecca and Jean could do that.

Her King was waiting for her.


Riza approached the cliffside before the waterfall with her heart in her throat. She made her way through the trees quickly and clambered on top of the rocks which threatened to block her path. They were no match for her in her excitement though. Even as her muscles burned with exertion, she’d stop for nothing. Not when he was waiting for her.

Roy came into view and Riza halted for a moment to admire him.

For the first time in a week, she set her sights upon her husband-to-be.

His head was angled upwards as he looked at the waterfall. He watched the gallons of water pour over the edge of the cliff intently. There was a small crease in between his eyebrows, indicating he was lost in thought, but apart from that, his posture was loose. His clothes, too. He looked entirely too casual for a Prince, but that was their point for today, Riza supposed.

They had today to spend together. No interruptions, no expectations, no duties.

Tomorrow they would become Queen and King. Wife and Husband. But today, they were simply Riza and Roy.

A moment of peace before weeks worth of celebrations.

Roy’s head turned when he heard movement and as soon as his eyes settled upon Riza his entire face lit up. He turned eagerly and strode towards her, smile wide and causing his eyes to crinkle at the corners. Riza left her spot in between the trees and ran to him.

Much like Jean had done for Rebecca, Roy opened his arms to her, welcoming her in – welcoming her home – and swept her up in them. In an excitement which felt almost childlike, she jumped into his arms. Roy caught her with a laugh. He lifted her from the ground and Riza wrapped her legs around his waist the best she could in her dress. She buried her face within his neck, inhaling deeply to reaffirm he was actually here. He was back by her side.

They each pulled away and when Roy placed her back on the ground, neither wasted time and they both collided together in their passion and love for one another. Their kiss ignited the blood within her veins. It sent Riza’s mind spinning. It scrambled her thoughts and caused her knees to shake. Luckily, she had Roy to anchor her. He wrapped an arm around her waist and pressed their bodies flush together while his other hand became buried within her hair. It messed up the lovely updo Rebecca had crafter for her that morning, but Riza didn’t care. The tips of his fingers dug into her scalp. Not painfully – possessively. He kept her in place as he kissed her and Riza relished in everything he had to give her.

She felt slightly dizzy when they pulled apart.

“Hi.” It felt like a silly thing to say to him, but it was all she could manage after a whirlwind of a kiss like that. She mentally gave herself a shake and Riza forced herself to focus.

But Roy just grinned at her. “Hi, Riza,” he greeted softly. He leaned forward to kiss her again, kissing her so sweetly it made Riza forget herself for a moment. She gripped the front of his loose-fitting shirt tightly, fisting the fabric in her hands, as she clung to him desperately.

It had been a long week without him and she was finding herself hard pressed to let him go.

Riza didn’t ever want to live like that again.

“I missed you,” she breathed as their noses brushed against one another after the kiss.

“I missed you too, Riza.” He pecked her cheek and wrapped his arms around her tightly. “This week has been the hardest – terrible, really – but I think it has been worth it.”

“Yes.” Riza pulled away, brow furrowed in confusion. “You said there was something you had to do. And when Lord Fuery returned yesterday he said it was a surprise? I thought you were simply returning back to the Fire Kingdom?”

Roy smirked and wordlessly took her hand in his before he started to walk.

Without question, Riza followed.

She always would.

They didn’t go far. When they stopped, Riza inhaled sharply in surprise.

A small cabin stood before them, not far from the cliffside, but hidden away in a small grove of trees. It was not brand new, but it looked well cared for and loved by whoever owned it. The small garden which was enclosed by a stunning, white fence, was teeming with plants and colour. Bees buzzed around the flowers happily, drunk off nectar, and birds eagerly fed from the seed left out on small ceramic plates around the garden.

“Roy…” Riza trailed off, unable to speak or articulate the feeling of awe which had overcome her. “It’s… It’s beautiful. Who owns it?”

“I do.”

Her head snapped around to look at him.

“The owner – an older gentleman who could no longer keep up with the maintenance of the property – came to meet with the King a few weeks ago. He wished to sell it on, and the King said he might have a new owner in mind for it.” Roy turned to face Riza, smiling softly. “He gifted it to me. In celebration of our wedding.”

Riza was stunned. “He did?” Her question came out no louder than a whisper.

Roy nodded. He lifted a hand to cup her cheek. “It’s a gift for us, Riza, to use as an escape, should we ever need it. I wasn’t travelling home this past week. I hope you can forgive me for my small lie," he added, looking genuinely troubled about it, “but I was actually here with Fuery, Falman, Havoc, and Breda, bringing it back to working order and cleaning it up so it was fit for use once more.”

Riza felt tears well within her eyes.

“I wished to be here to ensure it was fit for My Queen.” One corner of his mouth quirked upwards, full of amusement and hope as he awaited her response.

She lifted her arms to circle them around his neck. She buried a hand in his hair, holding on tight as she anchored herself against him.

“Roy…”

His eyebrows quirked up in interest, still anxiously waiting for her to say something. Anything in response to this… truly wonderful gesture.

“It’s perfect.”

Elation spread over his face, so bright and ecstatic it spread to Riza. Seeing how delighted he was made her so happy. Her stomach flipped and it lifted her up, up, up onto the tips of her toes so she could hug him even tighter.

“I love you, Roy.” The words were as natural as breathing. Perfect for the moment when he’d made her feel so happy.

“Riza… My Queen. Words cannot fully express how deep my love is for you.”

“Roy…” She breathed his name and felt her tears return to her eyes.

“I would do anything for you. Go anywhere with you. Wherever you lead, I will follow. Without question.”

“Whatever direction our lives lead us, I will support you and be by your side through every step of it.”

Roy smirked. “The two of us, an unstoppable force. Forever.”

“Exactly,” Riza grinned.

He kissed her again. So passionately and overcome with the love they held for one another, that when they parted each were panting heavily. The way he was looking at her, it was as though he desired to devour her whole, and Riza was not opposed to the idea in the slightest.

Roy nuzzled his nose against hers gently as she tried to regain her breath. “Well,” he murmured. His voice was so low and sounded so rich it turned her insides molten. Especially after that kiss. “What would you like to see first, my love?”

She beamed up at him. “Anything. Show me everything. I can’t wait.”

Tomorrow they’d be married. They’d become husband and wife. Queen and King.

But for tonight, it would just be them.

Two souls together, finally.

Complete.

At peace.

Notes:

if you've made it this far, thank you ❤

i was very tenative about posting this at first (which is why it took me years to do it in the first place hahaha) because i know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but. if you know me, i do love an au! and this was a fun sandbox to play in for a wee while with my royai dolls. it was fun to return to a fantasy setting too! it's been a fun ride.

thanks for following along with my wee story. the comments i've received kept me motivated and always brightened my day whenever they came in. they really mean a lot ❤

i hope you enjoyed this one! and thank you again 💖

Notes:

kudos and kind comments are much appreciated :)