Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2022-02-27
Updated:
2023-10-10
Words:
35,769
Chapters:
12/27
Comments:
78
Kudos:
424
Bookmarks:
60
Hits:
11,077

Shattered Dice

Summary:

"Me? Smiling?” Namra grinned at him, which unnerved Cheongsan. Seeing his disturbed expression, her smile faltered. “Does this mean your memories are getting jumbled?”

“Because of the parallels,” Cheongsan concluded. “The parallel universes, and the two ‘routes’. Maybe the universe is trying to fix everything by giving me what is supposed to be my ‘correct’ memories and...”

“Erasing your real ones?” Namra suggested.

“Don’t say it like that,” Cheongsan immediately begged, clutching his head with the impending sense of doom at that realization. “Namra, what if I’m actually going insane? What if I’m starting to lose myself?”

“Fight it,” Namra urged in a low tone. “You’re a strong person, Cheongsan. Don’t let fate tell you what to do. You’re in control of your own destiny, so seize it.”

All Onjo did was hit a zombie in the head with a tray, and it's only then that Cheongsan starts getting visions about events that happened, but didn't actually happen...at least, not yet. But every time those events start to occur, things end up going differently than expected. Is Cheongsan predicting the future, or is there more going on here?

Notes:

so yeah im doing this now huh.
after hearing that AOUAD was getting a drama, i was really hyped bc i had been halfway thru reading the webtoon at the same time. when i finally got around to seeing it though, the storyline was so drastically different i had no idea what was going on! but it was in a good way. i liked both stories. some parts more than others. and then that's what led me to here, with 4 ideas:
- bromance but its ROMANCE
- gwinam and eunji could've had so much more
- what if i combined both storylines
- what if i added my old ass zombies from my 2019 story i wrote for class once
and now you have this monstrosity. you're welcome.

every source is really inconsistent with some of the character's name spellings, so im going to be going with Joonyeong, Joonseung, Woojin, and Cheolsoo as such.

this is not a time-loop story!! this story involves parallel universes involving more "what if this happened instead", with different origins. cheongsan is not time travelling. hopefully that clears up some confusion.

Chapter 1: not the apocalypse

Notes:

alright boys here is some great info on how i've ordered this:
- given the nature of the fic some events from both versions will be mashed into each other.
- this means that some personalities may also be different.
- this ALSO means that things will be out of order timeline wise (in the case of the drama timeline). so if you're seeing something that definitely didn't happen while this other group was doing this its all out of order once again so yeah
- there will also be things that change that originally didn't happen. this means more or less people may die.
- also daesu and hyoryung are weird cases in which the former died early on in the webtoon and the latter didn't even exist, so they're both kind of wild cards here
- since this is a parallel universe, locations may be fucked up for plot reasons. also, given that this is a mashup of two stories, if you've watched the drama but are still reading/haven't read the webtoon, if you see an event that you don't recall happening in the drama, either assume its from the webtoon, or its my own canon divergence. i won't be saying which events are from what until the very end to keep it spoiler-free as much as you can get in a story that is literally a spoiler in itself

that should be it i don’t think i forgot anything else
why are kdramas the things that get me out of writers block
anyways here you guys go!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Though Cheongsan had figured the world was gonna go through a zombie apocalypse of some sort, it wasn’t supposed to be like this. All around him, students were clambering around the cafeteria, a mess of chaos as undead creatures hunted down their victims. To his left were people getting bitten, and they collapsed onto the floor, convulsing as their skin began to bulge and burst and their eyes became nothing more than a scarlet oculus. To his right was the window and Onjo, on the verge of getting bitten by one nasty-looking zombie.

“Onjo!” Before Cheongsan could run over and help her, Onjo’s hand landed on a fallen lunch tray, and she whipped her hand upward to slam the metal plate into the zombie’s face. It fell to the side with a sickening crunch, and Onjo scrambled to her feet just as the sprinklers turned on, making the cafeteria even slipperier than before.

With the tray connecting to the zombie’s head, Cheongsan stumbled from where he stood, even though nothing had hit him in that moment. A sharp pain struck through his head, quickly turning into a dull throb, but it was enough to disorient him as another zombie lunged toward him. A chair from the other side of the room slid and hit the zombie mid-jump, causing it to hit the ground. Cheongsan darted his eyes toward the source, but already the cafeteria was still in chaos and he couldn’t keep up, instead rushing toward Onjo.

“Well, that’s awfully convenient,” Cheongsan mumbled under his breath, grabbing Onjo’s wrist. “You okay?”

“We need to get out of here!” Ignoring Cheongsan’s question, Onjo climbed onto a table, making a hurried dash toward the window. Cheongsan mindlessly followed, still trying to process the newfound calmness Onjo suddenly had. He didn’t bother looking back as both of them tumbled out the small window, slamming into the ground. Cheongsan didn’t get a chance to gather his thoughts before Onjo was pulling him upward, dragging him along as they evaded zombies left and right. Limbs cracked and scratched against the concrete, blood everywhere and the screams filling the air.

Only moments ago was he eating lunch with the rest of his friends. What had even gone wrong?

“The AV room!” Onjo pointed upward at where their teacher, Mrs. Park, was waving her hand, trying to catch people’s attention. “We have to get up there somehow.”

Staring up at the AV room, Cheongsan blinked, and for a moment, a different picture of the zombified school flashed in front of him, with the AV room being much higher than usual. Was it always like that?

Before he could ponder on it more, the zombie growls only intensified as he snapped out of it, and he regained awareness of the current situation. “Well clearly we can’t go back inside the front entrance!” Cheongsan yelled as he narrowly avoided a truck ramming into the side of the school.

“I know that, dummy!” Already Onjo was scrambling up the truck, pulling Cheongsan up despite her limited strength. A small crowd of zombies was starting to circle around them, blocking off their path. Cheongsan whirled around, looking for openings, when he saw the balcony right above them. “Onjo!”

“Help me up,” she replied, understanding immediately. Hoisting herself onto Cheongsan’s shoulders, she grabbed the ledge and toppled onto the other side, leaning over to grab Cheongsan’s wrist as he jumped upward to grasp the side, pulling him over.

They took a small moment to catch their breath, staring at each other in disbelief. “What’s going on in the first place anyway!?” Onjo hissed in frustration.

“Zombies, that’s what’s going on! It has to be the only explanation,” Cheongsan replied. “It’s like Train to Busan—you remember watching it?”

“Yeah, but—that can’t be! Zombies aren’t even supposed to be real! Do you think what Hyeonju said about Mr. Lee was true then? Did he start this!?” Onjo frowned.

“Well, we can’t stay here! We gotta get to the AV room and find our friends,” Cheongsan sighed. “If Mrs. Park is in there and able to wave her hands around like that, then she must be safe, so the room should be fine. We just need to find a way to get inside.”

“This is going to kill us,” Onjo grumbled.

“Well, everything’s already trying to kill us! No need to be so down about it,” Cheongsan replied in a sarcastic cheerfulness as he opened the door and went back inside the school, Onjo following him into the unknown.

_______

“Eunji, please don’t do this,” Cheolsoo begged as he watched Eunji step onto the edge of the rooftop, stepping closer to her. “You don’t have to throw away your life for this!”

“It won’t stop,” she replied bitterly, not bothering to glance behind her. “He’ll send out that video and everything will be over. People are going to make fun of me forever. I can’t stand that.”

Cheolsoo stammered, trying to find something to say, and Eunji could only quiver a little harder. “This is hell,” she started off, “and I’m just escaping from hell.”

She bitterly wiped her tears away, thinking about what had happened that morning. Gwinam grabbing her, Myunghwan tearing her clothes off, Chanhoon grabbing Gwinam’s phone to record the scene. Suhyeok barging in, pulling her away, but the damage was already done. Gwinam deciding to safekeep the video and putting a timed post on Twitter, threatening to release it if she tried to do anything to oppose him.

Why was she the victim? Why did she have to suffer? It wasn’t fair. But it didn’t matter anymore.

One foot leaned forward off the building, and that was when the windows below her shattered, students falling out from them, screaming as other bloodied students clawed at their skin. their bodies slamming into the ground. The fields and school grounds were havoc, people running away from other students with twisted limbs, loud groans, and animal-like instincts. She could vaguely hear Cheolsoo coming up next to her, staring out at the massacre below, but she paid him no mind. Her mind merely drifted toward the teacher’s office. Where her phone was. Where Gwinam’s phone was.

“I’m going to the teacher’s office,” she announced, stepping off of the ledge back onto the rooftop. “I’m going to destroy his fucking phone.”

“I mean, I’m glad you’re not killing yourself directly, but going back inside the school is like killing yourself anyway! Didn’t you see what happened down there!? Those are zombies, Eunji! Zombies from the movies!” Cheolsoo was panicking as Eunji made her way to the rooftop door.

“Cheolsoo, you like me, don’t you?” Eunji replied, staring down at the doorknob. “If you did, wouldn’t you help me?”

“Eunji, I...” Cheolsoo started, but Eunji held up a hand.

“Shut up. You’re a coward, and you’ll always be.” She twisted the doorknob, opening the rooftop doors, finding the staircase eerily silent. Before she could step in, there was a hand on her shoulder, and she smacked it away, not wanting to look back at Cheolsoo. She began to descend the steps, listening to see if another pair would follow her. To her surprise, there was. As the rooftop door closed, she turned around to see Cheolsoo right behind her, looking like he was on the verge of pissing himself.

“W-Well?” He awkwardly coughed out.

Eunji rolled her eyes and began to descend at a quicker pace, the sounds of zombies nearing as she made her way to the first floor. If she didn’t get to those phones before Gwinam did, zombie apocalypse or no, she was going to end it. The second she reached the first floor, zombies from the opposite hallway spotted her, their growls piercing the air. Cheolsoo let out a strangled scream, but Eunji laser-focused onto the teacher’s office in the other direction, immediately making a sprint for it. Cheolsoo, still screaming the entire time, ran after her.

“Will you shut up!?” She screeched.

“Sorry!” Cheolsoo gasped as Eunji shoved aside a zombie running toward her, reaching the sliding door and pulling it open. She pulled Cheolsoo in just as the zombies caught up to them, jamming the door from sliding shut.

“Are you fucking kidding me!?” Eunji pulled at the door, kicking at the zombie’s feet.

“Eunji...” Cheolsoo stammered out nervously, eyes wide as saucers. “There’s more zombies in the room with us!”

“Take care of them or something, fuck!” Eunji yelled angrily. “Smash their heads!”

“But they were our teachers!” Cheolsoo protested as Eunji successfully kicked a hand away.

“Teachers my ass! They never did shit for us! They can go fuck themselves!” With a final kick she pushed the last hand jamming the door out and closed it shut, pulling Cheolsoo toward the door. “You take care of the door then!”

“W-What!?” Cheolsoo panicked as Eunji turned toward the two teachers stumbling toward them, both of their legs bent unnaturally. Eunji grabbed the nearest chair, lifting it up with some effort, and slammed it down into the first teacher’s head, watching him crumple to the ground. The second one took a little more effort, but after sufficiently slamming the chair enough times in the woman’s face, one of the legs pierced her throat and she went silent. The neck , Eunji thought to herself.

Already the first one was getting up. “I can’t hold them much longer!” Cheolsoo yelled.

“One second!” Eunji threw one of the computers at the teacher, causing him to fall down again, and before it could rise and lunge at her one more time, she lifted a monitor and slammed it repeatedly where his jugular lay, watching the body twist and move before falling dead.

“The closet,” Cheolsoo yelled. “We have to hide!”

“Why are you always thinking about hiding!?” Eunji whirled around, staring at the windows and doors, and realized that Cheolsoo was right. “Well fuck. Come here!”

Cheolsoo released his hold on the door, Eunji tugging him toward the closet and pulling him inside. She slammed the door shut, maneuvering her foot slightly as to not be so close to Cheolsoo in the dark. The crack of light from the door being slightly ajar was their only source of light. The zombies suddenly grew louder as the main doors to the teacher’s office gave way, all of them piling into the room. To both of their surprise, none of them immediately banged on the closet door.

Cheolsoo opened his mouth, but Eunji grabbed his arm harshly, shaking her head in the dark.

Well, this is fucking great , Eunji thought to herself dejectedly. We’re stuck in a closet in the teacher’s office, I didn’t get the fucking phone, and Cheolsoo’s here. He’s pretty sucky. Maybe not that bad.

Like Cheolsoo heard her thoughts, he opened his mouth again to protest, but Eunji pinched him, and he winced.

Nope. Still an issue.

_______

“Fuck, and now we’re stuck in here too,” Hari grumbled as she buried her face in her hands, fingers grabbing her hair. Outside behind the closed curtains, zombie growls and screams could still be heard plaguing the campus. She pulled at her uniform in frustration. Where she and Minjae currently were was not exactly the best scenario to be in. They were currently in an unused classroom, thin desks flipped upside down stacked on top of each other like they were from 2009, dusty shelves lining the walls and chairs stacked nearby. When the apocalypse had started, they had just made it back into the school after the misery that was the archery competition and putting their equipment away. Now she was regretting her decision greatly.

“We can’t stay here forever,” Minjae muttered, scanning the room. “We’re going to get cornered and die of starvation otherwise. We should’ve kept our equipment, ugh...”

“You think Woojin is okay?” Hari asked, lifting her head up slightly.

“He’s your brother, not mine.” Minjae picked at his uniform, then brushed his bangs to the side to see through his other eye. “Seriously, a zombie apocalypse? In this day and age?”

“Way to top off the shitty day,” Hari grumbled. “So now what? We’re sitting ducks?”

“Do you have any other ideas?” Minjae asked.

“No.”

“Then there you go.” Minjae leaned back on the desks. “I’m taking a nap. Wake me up if something goes wrong.”

Hari sighed. “Are you stupid? This is the zombie apocalypse. Of course something’s going to go wrong.”

“Goodnight,” Minjae mumbled, turning onto his side.

“I—” Hari huffed, burying her face in her arms again. This was going to be a long day, wasn’t it?

Notes:

so i lied and there was some crazy. kudos comments and bookmarks appreciated ofc!

these chapters aren't going to be very long for the sake of being able to update often!