Actions

Work Header

The Klaroline Chapter (Taylor’s Version)

Chapter 8: clean

Summary:

All this time, Caroline had been hiding a secret so painful she couldn’t bring herself to let the world know, because what will everyone think of her the moment they learn that Damon had assaulted her a few months ago? More importantly, how would Klaus react to it?

Notes:

OKAY HELLO! It’s been like a week, but I bring you Clean!!!! Not gonna lie, I wrote this while listening to Medicine by Daughter and it HURTS omfg. The Archer is also quite suitable for this story! Anyway, I apologise for the long wait :/ exams are just around the corner so I won’t have time to update quickly. This one was quite rushed as I started it like 3 days ago, but hopefully you all like it!

This fic is HEAVY on Damon and Mystic Falls gang bashing. Idk.. I just hate the fact that what Damon did to Caroline, or any girl for that matter, was never touched upon in the series. They should’ve brought it up more what the hell… and the amount of people hating on Caroline whenever she vocalised her hatred for Damon especially in that bathroom scene with Elena and Bonnie is so stupid like no shit she hates him 😭

PLEASE HEED THE TAGS!!

Tags: Human! Caroline, Explicit Language, Mentions of Past Rape/Sexual Assault, Eating Disorders, Damon Salvatore and Mystic Falls Gang Bashing.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

there was nothing left to do.
when the butterflies turned to dust
that covered my whole room.
so I punched a hole in the roof.
let the flood carry away all my pictures of you.
the water filled my lungs, i screamed so loud
but no one heard a thing.

 


 

Caroline didn’t remember the last time she was at peace with herself.

It was midnight, and the girl was looking at herself up and down her bathroom mirror, the door locked so Klaus wouldn’t see the mess tainting her porcelain body and bombard her with questions she didn’t know if she wanted to answer — or could even answer.

All Caroline could do in the small, enclosed space was grimace at herself, her body, her actions, and the memory that got her here. The memory of Damon, the drought that ruined her innocence; the man who brought out the worst moments of her entire life; and that made her feel dirty, and shallow, and like a neglected soldier who’s lost a limb, slowly losing herself too.

She ran her pruney fingers down her stomach gingerly, wincing when she reached the bite marks just beneath her breast, still red and ugly. It’s been there for over 4 months now, but just like the memory of how it happened, it never faded away. It remained there no matter how many scar creams Caroline used and layered, no matter how many times she scrubbed her body in the shower with hot tears streaming down her face, desperate to forget about everything that happened, the traumatic experience she had went through. But whatever she did never worked. Damon will forever have control on her, his body will always be all over her, just like an old red wine staining a precious white dress.

And the more Caroline looked at herself through the fogged-up mirror, the more she hated her reflection, her own skin.

The animalistic wounds on her neck, stomach and thighs that she spent close to an hour trying to cover up every morning before school because there was just too much of it and it was so, so noticeable; and the ribs poking out beneath her flesh because she just fucking despised herself and thought harming her own body could make everything feel better, but it never did. It will never feel better.

 

Caroline Forbes was only seventeen when Damon Salvatore had raped her.

 

“Caroline, is everything alright, love?” Klaus asked on the other side of the door, followed by a light knock afterwards. That was when Caroline realised that she had been in the bathroom for nearly 20 minutes, just glaring at herself as if she was the villain and not the victim, as if she was the one to be blamed for for being used against her own will.

The Original hybrid heard the shuffling of the door being unlocked, and in a swift motion, it swung open, revealing his lover he’d spent months chasing after.

The two of them had only been official for just 3 months now, but they’ve never actually had sex before. Klaus wasn’t sure if he’d even touched any part of Caroline besides her arms and face. A kiss was the farthest they’ve gotten since she would always back out before he could do anything, but truly, he didn’t care. If she preferred to take their relationship slow, then that’s completely alright with him. There was no need to rush anything.

Caroline’s hair was damp after her long shower, and she wore a white turtleneck sweater with long-sleeves that went past her wrist, making her look small and cute, like a fragile being that Klaus needed to protect with his entire body and soul.

“Took you long enough.” The man mumbled out, a tender smile on his face as he looked at her with adoration.

Caroline sauntered to her bed, walking past him but not before planting a small peck to his cheek out of sheer habit. She flopped down onto the sheets, leaving some space for Klaus to do the same as well. The man quickly crawled his way to the top of the bed, then laid his back on the headboard as he watched Caroline play with her fingernails, a thing she would often do.

“Sorry, the shower was just really nice. Perfect temperature and all…” Caroline explained, but her focus was still fixated on her hands, refusing to stare back at the man she was next to. And Klaus couldn’t pinpoint his finger on it, but something was definitely wrong. Caroline looked downhearted as she sat beside him, hanging her head low like she had lost a war… a battle she’d been fighting in solitary, no one helping her through it all.

And in honesty, this wasn’t the first time the man had noticed the blonde appear so crestfallen and despondent out of the blue, suddenly emanating a negative aura and wilting every single flower she walked past. Some days, Klaus would flash to her house and notice her eyes to be red and swollen, and if he were to look even closer, he’ll notice her eyelashes were wet every time she blinked. It didn’t take long before Klaus’ll come to the unnerving conclusion that Caroline had been crying for reasons unbeknownst to him, and it also wouldn’t take long for her to shut down all of his questions the moment he asked about it.

One time, Caroline had even stopped talking to him for a whole 2 days because she was just too overwhelmed with his inquiries, but that just made Klaus much more eager to find out about what had happened to her.

It’s been months and the girl still wouldn’t tell him, and truth be told, it was making the hybrid a tad bit frustrated. He will always want the best for Caroline, but if she wouldn’t even tell him what’s going on in her mind, how can he help? It was hurting him to see her like this: so damaged by something she couldn’t even talk about. Couldn’t even trust him to talk about.

Cautiously, Klaus brought his delicate hand out, his fingers slowly trailing her arm, moving back and forth to attempt to pull Caroline out of her troubled thoughts currently consuming her whole and bring her back to reality — to him.

The girl could feel how her boyfriend’s soothing caresses against her skin was nicely calm and gentle, and it made her casually fall into a mellowing state, her shoulders loosening beneath his touch. She lifted her hand up to grip onto Klaus’ one that was rubbing on her arm, covering it and then giving his hand a tight squeeze.

When Caroline finally looked up at him, a small smile that clearly didn’t reach her bleary eyes, she asked, “is everything okay? I know that look, Klaus. Something’s on your mind.”

The man heaved out a sigh at that, then proceeded to sit up properly. The cold air of Caroline’s bedroom had caused him to shiver slightly as the blanket fell off his chest, but the girl looked fine in her long-sleeved turtleneck, unaffected by the breeze. Caroline was always wearing long-sleeved clothes, but mainly oversized t-shirts, even during the summer when it was scorching hot outside. ”Mosquitoes are everywhere, Klaus. Don’t underestimate them.” She had said to him one time when he questioned her fashion choices.

The man stared at Caroline with a concerned expression, his eyes and tone softening as he spoke. “I don’t think I’m the one we should be worried about, love.”

Caroline furrowed her brows, but she knew exactly where this was going. She knew what Klaus was about to say next; the things he wanted to know… the truth behind her hurt she tried so hard to not show anyone, scared they might think less of her the moment she shared that she’s a victim of sexual assault. Scared that her friends will look at her a different way once she revealed it was Damon Salvatore that did it to her. Scared that gossip will flood the small town she once thought was the most safest place on earth. She could already hear the manipulative words shot her way as Elena attempts to tell her that what Damon did to her never happened, that it was all in her head or something, even though she knew damn fucking well it did:

”Did you hear that Liz Forbes’ daughter was raped? What an awful mother. Isn’t she a sheriff too?”

”Why didn’t the girl yell for help? Why did she keep it a secret for so long? She must’ve wanted it.”

”I don’t believe you, Care. Damon would never do that! You’re just saying it because you want me to choose Stefan instead.”

”I’m sorry that happened to you, but Damon’s my brother. I can’t leave him.”

 

Caroline Forbes was only seventeen when she already felt like giving up on everything. On herself. On life.

 

As Klaus stared at her with pleading eyes, she tried to frown, avert her focus away from him as if to tell the hybrid that she doesn’t want to talk about it. But Klaus has had enough. Caroline had appeared saddened and miserable way too many times for him to ignore it now, and if they don’t do something about it, she might spiral into a type of darkness that which no one will be able to escape from. Her golden skies will turn to a storm so perfect it’ll destroy her whole before she could even comprehend it. The girl will be too far broken to mend.

Klaus gripped Caroline’s cheeks, forcing their eyes to lock onto each other’s, and the blonde heaved out a jittery breath. She wanted to resist his touch, jerk away, afraid he might make a comment about her worryingly thin face if he held it any longer, but Klaus opened his mouth before she could do anything else.

“I need you to tell me what’s wrong, love.” He said gently, his tone so low and soft that if anyone else were to hear, they would have never known that he was the ruthless Big Bad Wolf that goes on killing sprees for fun. But Caroline knows Klaus. She’s heard that tone before. Only her.

“Klaus, I really don’t want to talk about it right now.”

“Then when?” He sharply retorted. “You don’t look well, Caroline.”

“Klaus, please—“

“Can’t you tell that you’re harming yourself?” It came in as a shock to Caroline, almost offended that he had the nerve to say that to her.

’Harming yourself,’ Caroline wanted to scoff at that, but deep down, she knew that the hybrid was right… that she was indeed harming herself without anyone knowing. That she calls herself awful names at every second of the day; that every time she looked at her reflection, the only thing looking back at her was her fats, reminding her to skip lunch and dinner; and her flaws, constantly telling her that no matter how many times she tries, she will never be perfect; and the fucking wounds… she could’ve prevented it if she wasn’t such a goddamn coward. It pained her to even think about them.

So yes, harming herself was all Caroline ever does these days behind the curtains, deep in the shadows. But she guessed Klaus had finally caught up to her. She couldn’t run anymore.

“I’m just worried for you, sweetheart.” He rubbed his thumb on her cheeks, soothing her down. “Whatever secret you’re keeping to yourself is only going to hurt you more if you don’t let it out. Let me help you.”

“So what, Klaus?” Caroline then stood up swiftly, her hands slamming onto the sheets as irritation brewed in her blood. Klaus’ hands lingered in the air the moment she moved, but he stood up too, matching Caroline’s level. The girl rubbed her eyes with the heel of her palm, “if I tell you what happened to me, what are you going to do? Find me a therapist? Go on a murder spree? Kill the guy that hurt me? God, can we please just let this go?”

The hybrid’s eyes flashed golden the moment Caroline snapped her mouth shut, anger rising within him at an instant. He tilted his head to the side, jaw clenched and fists tightened, pupils narrowing to slits at her words.

“Caroline,” he took a tentative step closer towards her, and the blonde already knew she had messed up, wishing to go back in time and not say whatever the hell she had just said. Now Klaus was definitely not going to back down before he gets his answer.

“What guy, Caroline?” He repeated, this time much more maliciously, his tone so sharp it could cut through glass and secrets. “Who hurt you?”

But Caroline only shook her head at that. “It was a long time ago. It doesn’t matter.”

“Clearly it does.” The hybrid shot back, his blunt tone sending shivers down Caroline’s arms. If his lover was still wallowing in hurt till this day, despite it supposedly being a long time ago, then of course it matters. Everything about Caroline matters to him. Her ups, her downs, her stories — it all mattered to him. Every single one of them. How could it not?

Before Caroline could even say anything to Klaus to shut his questions down, she was then suddenly hit with a wave of a fragmented memory: a time 6 months ago when she was in her bathroom taking a hot shower, to then catch a glimpse of a fresh bite mark blemishing her inner thigh. Caroline tried to desperately remember of how it got there, but nothing came to her mind no matter how deep she dug through her memories. It was as if her life was an old, abandoned puzzle, with pieces suddenly going missing with no way to trace them back.

And over time, the scars showed up again and again. On her neck, her thighs, her stomach, arms, legs… it was never ending. Always there. And Caroline couldn’t figure out for the life of her of how it was inflicted. She started doing Google researches, asking strangers online, booking appointments at clinics to try to figure it out, but in the end, no solid answer was given. The only thing she could do left was stock up on concealers and store away her bikinis and crop tops because that will never see the light of day again.

It was only 2 months after that, that Caroline had finally found the piece to her puzzle… that she finally figured out what had happened to her. And from that day on, Caroline had always wished she wasn’t so nosy, that she should’ve just stayed clueless, and that she should’ve never drunk vervain in the first place.

She never wanted to go through that ever again.

Tears formed in her crestfallen eyes and she instantly wiped them away, but it was useless, because Klaus had already seen it — the hurt finally showing up in her. And as a worried expression flashed upon his face, he began to walk closer towards her.

“Sweetheart…” he whispered so quietly that his voice was barely heard.

The girl kept on continuously wiping away the tears cascading down her face, but it only kept on coming… she couldn’t contain it all anymore. She’d been hurt by holding on to the traumatising secret for so long that it no longer felt right to keep it in — it was just too painful to bare all by herself.

The girl doesn’t deserve this.

Caroline found that she shouldn’t care about what her friends would say, or what the town would say, because in the end, all that mattered to her was Klaus, and what he would say. And one thing she knew was that the hybrid will always be by her side and help her through everything, no matter how small the problem is.

Klaus deserves to know. If there’s one person she could ever tell, it’s him. If there’s one person she would want to tell, it’s him. No one else came to mind.

Caroline’s slow tears then erupted into something more violent, more wrecked. A sob broke out of her but she didn’t wipe them away anymore, only embraced it. And honestly, it felt good to let it out, because it was as if a heavy weight had finally been lifted off of her chest, no longer slowing her down and holding her back.

Klaus swallowed down bile at the sight, his stomach churning as he watched Caroline cry harder, but without faltering, he pulled her into his arms, clasping her close to him as if she was about to disappear any second, and Caroline didn’t protest at that. Didn’t protest when his arms encircled the part of her body she never wanted him to touch: her waist.

Klaus paused in his moves when he felt the jab of Caroline’s ribs beneath her turtleneck, and his mouth parted slightly, eyes trained on the weeping girl. He wanted to say something, wanted to yell at her ”how you could you do this to yourself?” but in the end, he couldn’t let them out. Instead, he stayed silent and traced her ribs with the most softest touch, but he felt tears prick his eyes.

He hadn’t touched Caroline’s stomach before, but he knew that she was never so alarmingly skinny back then. Her hip bone weren’t protruding, and so weren’t her ribs. Sure, over the months, he’d noticed as Caroline’s jawline became more prominent, but he always thought it was caused by her naturally losing baby fats as she rose to adulthood. He never thought it could end up like this.

“I’m sorry,” Caroline managed between her sobs, her voice muffled as she dug her head underneath Klaus’ neck, the man’s skin turning wet of her tears. He brought his hand up, no longer on her bones and began to rub up and down her damp blonde hair, and he rested his chin on her head, closing his eyes to let the first drop of his tear fall. No one has ever made him cry like this in so long.

He pulled away to kiss her on the forehead, one that was long and lingering. “Look at me, love.”

And Caroline did. She brought her head out from under his neck and frowned from losing the feeling of solace. But through her blurry and wet vision, through the rain formed by her hurting eyes, she looked up at him — the man she trusted with her whole damn life.

“There’s nothing you need to apologise for.”

“I should’ve told you.” She argued, spewing it out in a heartbeat. Klaus held a sympathetic expression, a crease forming between his brows as he looked at her intensely. Caroline only looked down to her childhood bedroom floor, and in between loud sniffs and hiccups, she continued… continued to explain everything she never thought she would ever let out to anybody.

He deserved to know.

“Six months ago, I started to get like… wounds on my body. They looked like bite marks, but I thought it was just random scars showing up. But then I noticed that I… I never really remembered how it even showed up on my body in the first place, and so immediately I guessed that I had been compelled t-to forget.” Caroline’s voice broke as she spoke, whispering the last sentence ever so quietly, and the thought of his love being compelled before made Klaus’ blood boil like it never had, and it was only a matter of time till he eventually breaks something with his bare hands.

“And I knew — from my dad — that vampires can’t handle vervain, so every morning, I started implementing it in my tea so that I can figure out who’s been biting a-and feeding off of me. I just never thought…” The blonde bit back another sob, her bottom lip wobbling as she hesitated to go on. “I just never thought it would be him.“

Klaus’ nostrils flared upon her words, already feeling the flames swim deep in his veins. He was about to ask Caroline who she was talking about when her mouth parted abruptly.

With a shaky voice, the girl continued, a knot forming in her throat that expanded the more she talked. “He raped me,” Klaus’ eyes darkened into many shades of nightfall, his beast growling within him as his eyes flashed with pure menace. Caroline felt beads of liquid trickle down her cheek, but she didn’t know if it was tears from recalling the awful moment, or sweat as nervousness only continued to build up in her.

“I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t tell him that I was on vervain. If I told him then he would’ve killed me, scared that I might tell somebody what he did or something. S-So I pretended like the compulsion had worked, and stayed silent as he did- he did it to me.” Caroline felt bile rise up her throat, but she swallowed it back down before she had the chance to vomit. “I had to pretend to like it.”

Klaus’ eyes slowly closed as he breathed out heavily, attempting to take in everything the girl had said to him.

It felt like the world had shifted around him, and now everyone was an enemy. He could only see fire, could only see red, could only see Caroline sitting in hurt at the side of the street whilst everyone only walked past her, not giving a damn. Could only see himself walking past her… he should’ve known.

But when Caroline brought her delicate fingers up to reveal the bite marks on her neck, it was the straw that made him want to scream, yell, rip up all the hearts of those who had dared to hurt her or even think about it. She didn’t deserve this… didn’t deserve all the shit the world had given her.

His heart only broke further when Caroline began to tremble lightly, but it was still enough for him to throw himself onto her again, arms wrapped so tightly around her it became difficult to breathe. But they only needed each other, and nothing else.

“I need you to tell me who did this to you.” Klaus mumbled in her hair, stroking the girl’s back to soothe her down. Caroline tightened her hold on him even harder, trying to bring herself closer to him as if their bodies weren’t already touching.

She thought about his words for a second, wondering if she should actually disclose her rapist’s name to the most remorseless man she’s ever met and have her entire friends hate her as a result. Damon’s Elena’s boyfriend, Stefan’s brother, Bonnie and Enzo’s best friend, hell, even a close friend of her own fucking mother… what would they think of her then? Would they throw her away the moment Klaus got his hands on the older Salvatore brother, to then inflict torture upon torture on the century-year-old vampire till he’s permanently impaired and destroyed.

But at the same time, doesn’t he deserve it?

Caroline couldn’t remember the last time she hadn’t felt the burning sensation of her nostrils filling up with water, her lungs compressed so tightly in her ribcage to the point she could barely breathe, barely think, or even feel like living. Damon ruined her; made her pessimistic, negative, lash out on everybody she loves. It’s abnormal. No one should feel that way.

She was only seventeen.

Caroline moved her sweaty hands to Klaus’ chest, clutching onto his Henley tightly like she was about to rip it off of him. Her teeth bit onto her bottom lip and it was only a matter of time till it eventually bleeds. And in a whisper, she blurted out ever so quietly… his name bringing forth a pungent taste to her tongue.

“It’s Damon. H-He did it…”

Klaus felt his eyes sharpen at that, flames arising within him till he was a burning man, glowing with outrage and sorrow. His veins popped on his forehead and neck as the ache to flash out of Caroline’s house and gauge Damon’s eyeballs out crawled within him, and it took everything in the hybrid to not do so.

All this time he had been around that fucking Salvatore, no, all this time Caroline had been around him, she must’ve been so terrified. Must’ve not wanted to be there, just wanted to run away from Damon and everyone else who knew but didn’t do anything.

God, does her friends know about this?

“Klaus, say something. Please.” Caroline tugged on the hybrid’s shirt as she stared deep into his soul, her voice croaky and breaking.

“Was anyone aware of this?”

“What—“

“Caroline.” He snapped. “Did anyone know?”

The girl’s breath hitched in her throat as she sheepishly fumbled for words she didn’t know if she could let out. Names she didn’t know if she wanted to expose. Her friends would be as good as dead if she told Klaus that “yes, Elena and Stefan knew damn well but didn’t do shit because Damon mattered to them more than I ever will.”

And believe her, Caroline wants to protect her friends, but when have they ever protected her? Guarded her safe, let her know what Damon was doing to her body. Sure, Stefan was the one to step in and told her to drink vervain in the first place, but never did he once really yell at Damon for abusing her. Never did he ever told Caroline that Damon was the one abusing her. Instead, he gave her vervain like she was the problem. That she was the one that needed to go through extra measures of protection while Damon can just be set free, run wild, hurt other girls like he’d done to her without being told off properly. Where was the fairness in that?

Caroline shouldn’t have the need to feel fear in her own hometown. She shouldn’t have to rely on herbs to protect herself. She shouldn’t have pieces of her life missing because of some stupid fucking vampire that’s now dating her best friend. Everyone always turned a blind eye towards her, but now, standing right before her glassy eyes was the man that she longed for this whole time. The man that could finally put Damon back into his place and get rid off him completely.

And that was all Caroline ever wanted.

“I don’t want you to hurt them.” The girl pleaded, and that made Klaus inhale in a sharp breath of air, held it, and then heaved it out heavily. Of course she wouldn’t want her friends to die.

“I just want to leave… with you. Get out of here, leave everything behind, you know? Maybe I can start college somewhere in New Orleans too. I just… I don’t think I can stand being here any longer.”

“But what about your mother?”

“She’ll understand. She needs to.” Caroline reached to grab ahold of Klaus’ hands, her own fingers no longer tensed anymore. She gave his hands a gentle squeeze, reassuring him that she was ready to move on from Mystic Falls. Klaus wasn’t a new chapter to the story of her life — he was a completely different book that she wanted to spend her whole life writing. Didn’t know if there would ever be a last page to it because Caroline was sure they were forever — once she transforms into a vampire of course.

“Is that okay with you?” The girl asked, staring up at the hybrid with eyes glistening of innocence.

Without taking a breath of air, Klaus promptly nodded his head. “You coming to New Orleans with me is absolutely okay, my love. You don’t know how much I’ve waited for you to say it.”

Silence filled the room then, the atmosphere light and comforting. Klaus smiled when he heard Caroline’s breathing go gentle, the girl finally calming down from the storm. Her fingers fell from his hands but her arms quickly latched around his waist, holding him tight.

Caroline’s ear was laid on his broad chest as she focused on his lullabying heartbeat, whilst her mind drifted off to Damon as she wondered where he was at currently. Was he with Elena in his dim lit bedroom? Or with Stefan and Enzo in Mystic Grill, drinking away whatever problems they have whilst chatting about boy issues or something. Damon has no idea what’s coming for him, and that itself made Caroline shudder beneath the hybrid’s arms.

“Klaus,” she called, but didn’t look up at him. Only continued to sway on her feet from side to side.

“Yes, sweetheart?”

“What are you going to do to him?” Caroline asked, voice small and quiet. “Damon, I mean.”

Klaus’ jaw clenched at her question. Just the thought of that psycho vampire made him want to burn down the world and more, and honestly, he couldn’t wait to get his hands on him after this, but at the same time, he was unsure of whether Caroline will approve of him torturing the older Salvatore for many years to come. With the sweetheart that she is, she’ll probably suggest him to immediately kill Damon off instantly.

So maybe it’s best Klaus doesn’t tell her.

“I don’t think you’ll like it, love.” He said instead, and to his surprise, Caroline nodded her head at that.

“Okay.” She whispered lowly, humming as her eyes fluttered to a close. “Then don’t tell me.”

Klaus didn’t say anything after, only rubbed his hands up and down her back like he did earlier. Like he’s always done whenever she felt like being swallowed up whole, only this time, he could do so much more than just comfort her. He could ruin Damon for her; chain him up in a secluded area and have witches perform a cloaking spell to conceal his whereabouts. And once he’s done with him, Damon will never feel peace again. The vampire will always look behind his shoulders wherever he walked, run away at every shadow he spots, and always be remembered of the things Klaus did to him. Killing that bastard was just way too merciful, honestly.

Caroline subconsciously allowed herself to slip into a serene state then, sighing shallow breaths every time Klaus moved his hand up her back. She almost wanted to doze off with how exhausted she felt, a smile creeping up her lips when she realised that nightmares won’t be a reoccurring thing anymore now that Klaus could help her — could keep her safe.

She wanted to curse at herself for not telling him about her secrets sooner, because truthfully, he makes everything feel better. He was the descendant of an angel to her, but a devil to everyone else. And to be honest, it made her feel special that only she has the key to his gloomy, closed up heart, and it was only her that the hybrid has a soft spot for.

Klaus is just so fucking wondrous to her that it pained her to fall in love with him at first, knowing no one would approve of it. And yet, falling in love with him was easily the best thing she ever did in her life.

He’s the flood that carried all pictures and fractured memories of Damon away. He’s the person to patch up the roof she’d punched… to mend what was once broken. Klaus Mikaelson was the first fall of rain pouring down on her whilst she was stranded on a hot desert, ebbing away her thirst instantly. The dusts in her room that her rapist had brought in that which were engulfing her whole into a void of darkness had then turned to pretty butterflies the moment the hybrid showed up, and that told her that there was hope after all.

Caroline couldn’t wait for the day that she’s fully recovered of the drought Damon had left her with. For her to wake up one morning and smile because traces of Damon Salvatore were no longer lingering in her bed and smothering her till air was knocked out of her lungs.

In the beginning, finding happiness and peace seemed so impossible to her, but Klaus was enough for Caroline to keep on going. To realise that the dark bruises hanging onto her skin will just be a thing of the past — it won’t control her anymore. He’ll remove the murky water filling up her lungs and supply her with what she needs to breathe again, to hold onto life again, to remind her to never risk thinking about Damon again, and to make her feel fully clean again.

 

Notes:

Can you tell I hate Damon😐 Also, my next updates will be ‘no body, no crime’ and ‘Enchanted’! Not sure when they’ll be up but I’m super excited to write them.

Comments and kudos are appreciated!

I am open to suggestions and prompt-taking. If you have any recommendations on what I should write, based on a Taylor Swift song of course, let me know!