Actions

Work Header

Lights in Asgard

Summary:

The Eternals were once in Asgard, and this is how some of them met young Loki and Thor.

Notes:

This was inspired by the "Eternals" prompt by @mcuficprompts.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

Sprite is sitting on a bench he found in a calm corner of the stunning place that is Asgard. He’s moving his hands, creating an illusion. The silhouette of Ikaris, made of sparkle, seems to be looking directly at them. His jaws move, like he is going to say something to his creator.

“May I ask how you did that?”

A kid with long black hair asks, standing under the arch of stone that connects the quiet spot Sprite is at with one of the main streets of the city. She starts walking towards the bench, her long green clothes touching the floor as she moves.

“The spark. Did it come from you?” 

Sprite turns to look at her. “No. I did it with my hands,” he replies with a half smile.

He’s never been keen on bragging, and moreover, their powers should be kept away from the residents of that planet. But that little girl ... something feels unusual about her. She seems to be different from anyone he had crossed paths with in Asgard. Also, she looks the same age Sprite has always looked like, so that fact helps him to feel that he can trust her with no second thought. Looking at her and closing their hands, the image of Ikaris goes away.

“I only know how to create fireworks,” she says sitting on the empty spot of the bench next to him.

Sprite shows a weird look, but that is something that catches his attention. “Can I see?”

The girl nods, and takes a moment to breathe before opening her hands. Nothing happens at first, and Sprite begins to speak, but she is quickier.

“No, wait,” she asks them. “My mother taught me how to do it. Look.”

A little sparkle is born on one of her palms, soon turning into jumping stars that bounce high, and higher every time, until they get above their heads and the little balls of light break into a dozen colorful little ones, then back onto the palm of the girl.

Sprite is happily surprised. It's only been a couple of centuries since they started to use their powers on those lands, and there were still things they were finding out they could do. But nothing like this. That girl wasn’t an Eternal like them, so how could she had learned that use of magic, when everybody knew the only person in Asgar who knew how to use it was called Frigga?

“Sprite!” Kingo suddenly appears in front of them, making the little fireworks disappear. “I was looking for you, everybody is—,” he stops when he sees the girl. “Oh. Hi,” he greets with a little wave and a smile. “What’s your name?”

She opens her mouth to reply, but this time someone else stops her.

“Loki?” Thor arrives at that moment, also running. “Mother is looking for you, she—,” he stops to catch his breath, and notices that Loki is not alone. “Oh, you made friends. Good”” He smiles. “I am Thor Odinson.”

“I am Kingo, and they are Sprite,” he points at them. “We’re siblings.”

“I’m an older brother too, what a coincidence” says Thor.

“He doesn't use that kind of gendered terms,” adds Sprite.

“Oh, my bad. I apologize,” the Asgardian seems to blush.

“You’re siblings?” Wonders Loki out loud.

“Yes,” Kingo replies, and under the confused look of the girl, he adds, “I am adopted.”

“Well, that happens,” Thor pats his shoulder.

“Loki was showing me how she does fireworks,” Sprite explains with a smile.

“They can do magic as well, I saw! It was stunning to watch,” continues her, excited. “Hold on for a second,” her look skips from Thor to Kingo, “can you create things with your hands as well?”

“Well, I—,” he looks at Thor, silently asking him what he is supposed to do next.

Unlike Sprite, he does like to brag a little, to be fair; but using his powers with no threat at sight was something irresponsible to do. He looks back at Thor, but he is looking at him with as much interest as his sister.

“Go on Kingo, you can show them,” Sprite encourages, then whispers, “I won’t tell.”

“I can do things with my hands, that's true. But I really shouldn’t …”

“I won’t tell Ajak, c’mon,” they promise. “And they won’t tell Ajak either. They don’t even know who she is!” Sprite cross their arms in front of them, waiting for their friend to make his master move or just get more embarrassed than he already is. “Please?”

“Okay, okay,” he gives up. “This will be a quick demonstration of something you will never see me doing again, so you better watch carefully and never talk about it once it’s over!”

Kingo moves to a side, standing at the farest corner of the place from them. He raises his hands, fingers placed in the right positions, and he points to the vine plant that covers the wall at the back. With a quick movement of wrists, a little blast of energy leaves his fingertips and hits the plant, forcing it to clear its way. Now, there is a little spot where you can see the wall behind that plant.

 Loki starts, staring at the wall mouth-opened, “that was …”

“WOW!” Thor looks at Kingo as if it was the first time he has ever witnessed the use of magic, and Kingo laughs at their reaction walking back to them like nothing has happened. “How can you—? No, wait, how do you—? Okay, I have a lot of questions now,” Thor tries to explain himself, awe flooding his voice.

“Do you do something similar, pal?” Kingo wants to know.

“Yeah, well,” Thor smirks, “I am some kind of a god around here. The god of thunder, speaking precisely. I don’t control it very well, still, but maybe you can show me how to do it?” He asked with a funny face.

“Yeah, and if that’s okay,” Loki gets in the conversation, “Sprite could show me more about what they can do?”

“Is it okay if we meet again sometime, if you’re not so busy?” Thor proposes.

“No, that’ll be fine,” Sprite replies instead of Kingo. “We’d love to show you all about the magic and the energy of this planet. Isn't it right Kingo?”

He, with a half smile and unable to say no to his friend, nods. “That sounds like a plan.”

Notes:

Welcome to the non-binary Eternals agenda! I've been wanting to write about them since I saw the film but never got the chance ☺ if you'd like to read more like this please let me know, and maybe I'll continue their adventures in Asgard :)

Series this work belongs to: