Actions

Work Header

Falling stars

Chapter Text

As Lumine led the way to Mona's rented house, Lily and Paimon followed behind with a significantly slower pace.  For Paimon, it was the fact that she was hovering in circles around an obviously anxious and nervous Lily. For Lily, it was because of the nerves; she slightly shuddered at the possibilities of what might happen now. 

The Mona in her world had been all intimidating and mysterious– Lily wasn't one to believe in all of this astrology and stars stuff, but her Aether was really fascinated by such concepts. 

That was what had led to him and Mona becoming fast friends, and although Aether invited her to join him in hanging out with her, she always refused as she had always felt something off about the girl.

 

But desperate circumstances and news she would rather never have heard made Lily go crazed with unbridled emotion, where she had tried every single link and person she knew, every single link Aether had, to find something, anything, any clue that would prove that what she'd been informed was false. The last resort effort of going to this shady astrologist was what had put her in this position in the first place.

Well, not this astrologist, she reminded herself– Mona of Teyvat didn't deserve the prejudices that Lily held against the astrologist in her own world, and hence she decided to try her best to keep her mind open. Taking a deep breath, she focused on the road in front of her, just as Lumine was already at the door, and with a small jog, quickly caught up to her.

 

'Hey, you ready?' Lumine asked, and looked at Lily with the same restlessness that she felt bubbling up within herself.

Lily just gulped, and nodded. 

Taking the initiative, Paimon floated up to the door, knocking it a few times with all her energy. This action prompted an annoyed voice calling out from within. 

 

'Cut that racket out! I'm busy right now! Whoever it is, find me later!'

'Mona, it's us! It's Paimon hereee!'

'Oh Paimon and the Traveller? I've still not made much progress on my work, I'm afraid you'll have to have a bit more patience... Come back later?'

 

Lumine sighed and spoke up. 'No, it's not that. Mona... Could we please come in? I have something urgent that I need to discuss with you.'

'Uhh fine, but don't blame me for the mess the room is in right now. Wait a minute, I'm coming...'

'Hurryy Mona! Paimon is melting in this sun!'

 

Hurried steps made their way to the group as the door swung open to a rather intrigued but frazzled-looking Mona. 

'Mondstadt's sun is nothin— Oh, who do we have here? Traveller, Paimon, and... A guest?' 

 

Lumine nodded. 'Umm yeah, this is... Well, a trusted friend of mine, can we come in and discuss more?' 

Mona spared another narrow eyed glance at the mysterious girl accompanying the traveller. She couldn't see her face, as the girl held it completely tipped down– oh well. She trusted Lumine, she thought, let's see what this new mystery is...

 

'Well what are you waiting for? Come in.'

 


 

Mona couldn't believe what she was hearing. Scratch that, she could believe what she was hearing— had to, when the proof was right in front of her. 

 

Lumine's constellation. 

 

A bright, clear image of the Viatrix constellation, was one Mona had brought forth many times to study. After all, she had promised the traveller that she would give her a proper reading, and Lumine's constellation had an almost ethereal quality to it which she couldn't quite place, the kind which was different any other that she had seen in all of Teyvat.

Hence when instead of a single Viatrix constellation displaying its place in the sky, Mona saw two, both overlapping each other, one just moved left by two inches, she knew that whatever the Traveller just told–– another Lumine, falling from the sky— it was completely true.

This revelation was one of the rare moments even Paimon was completely silent. All four of them just stared at the constellation, awestruck by the absurdity of the situation, the realisation that it had actually happened, seeming to affect all.

 

Mona curiously glanced at the alternate Lumine– Lily, as she said she went by. She still hadn't seen her entire face, as half of it was hidden with the mask that the traveller had provided to her. Her clothes certainly were a style she had never seen, and although they were pretty, Lily might have to change outfits if she wanted to stick out less.

 

Mona thought back to the moment when Lily first glanced at her. As soon as they entered and the door was closed, Mona had asked Traveller what exactly was she up to. When she replied with 'I came across myself from another universe', Mona's reply was not of shock, or disbelief... it was more curiosity and caution. 

What was unexpected though, was Lily's reaction when she raised her head to look at Mona for the first time– she gasped, and as if scared, took a few sudden steps back.

 

'Archons, do I look that horrendous?' 

'Paimon doesn't think Mona looks that bad, Lily!'

'What do you mean that bad? So you're implying I look bad huh? And to think you were my disciples not long ago...'

'That's not what Paimon meant!'

 

Hoping her lighthearted banter with the pixie would ease the sudden tension, Mona just carried on the back and forth for a bit while observing Lumine and Lily. Lumine had immediately moved to put a concerned, grounding hand on Lily's shoulder– the other girl, to her credit, quickly regained her composure with a few deep breaths. After that they had moved on to discussing about how to verify the theory that the traveller had come up with– and hence, the present moment, where they reached their conclusion.

 

Mona was still confused about that reaction though. Determined to find out, she started conversation again.

 

'Hey so now that we have established that Teyvat indeed has two of our beloved traveller now, would you like to demonstrate it to me?'

'Umm, what do you mean Mona?'

'Traveller, what I mean is I would like to see the face of our Lily here– if she doesn't mind, of course... I'm awfully curious!'

 

Lily took another deep breath, and for the first time in the whole situation, looked directly at Mona and smiled. 

'Y-yeah, I don't mind, it's only fair, I understand the curiosity...'

 

Mentally steeling herself, Lily closed her eyes and took off her mask and Mona had to remind herself not to stare. She looked exactly like the traveller, as expected but the sheer identicalness was still jarring.

 

'Well, haha, you have a twin here don't you?' Mona chuckled, with mirth in her eyes. Before Lumine could say anything, she continued.

'Anyways, I know your next question is going to be 'what can we do about this Mona?' well great astrologist Mona Megistus is also a human after all, one who has come across many interesting things today– so I have no answer for you people, give me a bit more time to look into this okay? Give me a week, we'll figure it out then.'

 

'But Mona, what about Lily, what will she do for a week? Paimon doesn't understan–'

Lumine looked annoyed, and snapped at Paimon. 'Shush, she'll stay with us of course! If we want a solution, we need to give Mona space... Let's just, umm, leave for now.'

'But—'

'Paimon. Let's leave.' 

 

It was evident that Lumi was getting irritated– she wasn't feeling the best about this turn of events and wanted space to process it. Plus unbeknownst to Mona, the twin statement had stung sharp– the time that passed since she saw Aether still felt like but a moment ago whenever she thought of it. Sensing the sour mood of Lumine and Paimon's obliviousness, Lily stepped in to diffuse the situation. 

 

'Umm Paimonnn, didn't you say that this weather is great for having a cool mint jelly and we should totally go try it? So, yeah, it's time!' Lily half mumbled, half spoke while putting on her mask.

But the mention of food transcended any hearing issues that might come up, as Paimon picked up every word, now hovering around Lily. Lumine just sighed with relief and turned to face Mona.

 

'So, yeah, thanks for this Mona. It means a lot...'

'Oh, traveller, don't mention it. Also, before you leave, is there anything else I should know?'

 

Lumine gave it a thought, almost about to shake her head no when she remembered one thing.

'Well, Mona, Lily was saying how you look exactly like a 'Mona' from her world. So, I'm guessing it's not just me that her world has a copy of...'

 

'That explains her reaction to me earlier. I am scary in her world?! That is just against a good—'

'Astrologist's principles, yes, I'm glad you aren't like that at all here though!' Lumine quickly interjected. It was evident by the pleading look she gave Mona that she really, truly needed this conversation to end.

 

Mona just smiled. She had her work cut out for her now– with rushed reassurances and mutterings of 'work' and 'you better treat me after this', Mona sent off the trio on their way.

 


 

The breeze blew gently through the leaves of the large tree that Lumine and Lily sat against. Closed eyes, Lily just finished humming a tune that Lumi was very familiar with... Somehow, with some twisted stroke of luck, whatever this fate was— even though their entire universes were different, there were so many similarities between them that Lumine just felt bittersweet about everytime she thought of it. 

 

'Paimon caught another! See Lumine, Paimon told ya it's very easy to catch these crystalflies, Paimon's definitely gonna win this bet!'

 

Lumine just watched Paimon float in circles around the windrise statue, having caught her sixth crystalfly already with a fond smile. Well in hindsight, she mused that she should have perhaps told her to catch more than ten of them– she always needed them for important tasks anyways.

 

After that emotionally impactful revelation, both Lumine and Lily had needed time to unwind– so after getting Paimon a helping of mint jelly, Lumine had suggested going to sit under the windrise tree. The gentle breeze there had many times calmed her heart when she was in Mondstadt, and she hoped it would do the same for Lily. So far, it seemed to be working.

'Andd ten! Paimon won the bet, what did she tell you~ now you need to hold up your end of the deal Lumine~'

 

Lumine gently tapped Lily on the shoulder.

'Do you wanna come along or would you like to just stay here? Paimon and I will just go pick some sunsettias from some trees a small distance away. It'll take us like twenty minutes, and I've already cleared this area today so there'll be no threats.'

 

Lily hummed a response without opening her eyes.

'I'll stay here, you go and be back, bring me the nice ones... Back on earth we don't have such a fruit, so I'm very intrigued to try it!'

Lumine smiled again, and got up to head off with an excited Paimon.

 

After five or so minutes of her resting there, Lily felt a fresh breeze blow through the leaves. It carried the sweet scent of apples with it somehow– this made her feel happy, she liked sweet smells. Feeling good, Lily soon started humming another tune again. 

 

Slowly, she started to feel like the wind was gently complimenting her humming– it was almost like it danced alongside it. What an absurd thought, she wondered... Must just be her imagination, this was the city of wind after all! Still, the thought brought a smile to her face, and she happily finished her tune.

 

'If only I knew you held a tune so well, traveller, now we add another task to the list of a bard... Write songs about the honorary knight, and now write songs with her? What do you say, would you like to compose a tune with me?'

 

Lily felt her blood run cold as she froze in complete, utter terror. 

She recognised that voice.