Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Collections:
SakurAlpha's Fic Rec of Pure how did you create this you amazing bean, Gods AU, Golden's Fav's
Stats:
Published:
2022-01-07
Words:
3,313
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
39
Kudos:
1,438
Bookmarks:
270
Hits:
12,374

The Moon and Sun, The Wind and Earth

Summary:

When Lumine wakes in an unknown world with her wings gone, her sword gone, her powers gone, her brother gone, she screams, enraged. The earth shudders and the wind quiets.

The Unknown God has angered the universe’s beloved star children. She will pay.

Lumine will make her pay.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Lumine and Aether are twins. Lumine is like the moon. Aether is like the sun. They are as similar as they are different.

 

Lumine knows that as much as she is like the wind, whimsical and uncaring, most emotions only surface thin, Aether is like the earth, firm and stubborn, emotions reaching deep to the core.

 

Lumine is different from Aether. Where she is efficient in manipulating the powers of gods, sending waves with a simple stomp of her feet and conjuring orbs in her palm, Aether strikes with his fists, having to brace himself to imagine the flow of energy.

 

Aether is different from Lumine. Where he focuses on defense, sword used as a shield, steadfast and unyielding, Lumine is lightning fast, her attacks swift yet hard, her sword an extension of her arm. 

 

Aether protects her left flank. Lumine protects his right.

 

Alone, they are powerful. Together, they are impenetrable. 

 

They are twin stars. They are inseparable.

 

Until they separated.

 

When Lumine wakes in an unknown world with her wings gone, her sword gone, her powers gone, her brother gone, she screams, enraged. The earth shudders and the wind quiets.

 

The Unknown God has angered the universe’s beloved star children. She will pay.

 

Lumine will make her pay.

 


 

The fairy is a god or some form of it, Lumine is sure. She does not speak the language of the world and yet the fairy—“I’m Paimon!”—communicates with her effortlessly.

 

“I’m Lumine,” she says in godspeak. 

 

Paimon nods cheerfully as she flies—floats?—around the star child. That confirms that Paimon is a deity. “Thank you for saving Paimon! Paimon really thought she was going to drown but you saved her!”

 

Paimon trails constellations, Lumine notes as she watches. “Could you not have flown out?”

 

Paimon flushes a soft pink. She clenches her fists, embarrassed. “Paimon forgot…”

 

Lumine lets out a small chuckle. This fairy seems too innocent, too airheaded. Compared to the harsh world around her, it’s been a while (two months, her mind supplies) since she is able to relax like this.

 

She doesn’t trust Paimon one bit.

 

“As thanks, Paimon will do her best to be a great guide!” Paimon declares. Lumine nods and agrees easily. The smell of god power is too much to resist. Paimon would be a great emergency source of energy, especially that crown of hers. “Let’s go to the Statue of the Seven! Maybe you can find something you need.”

 

When she touches the statue, her enchanted armor-slash-clothing begins glowing a soft green. She lets out a laugh. 

 

This world isn’t prepared for the universe.

 


 

Lumine does not speak as the duo meets Amber. She had made Paimon promise not to tell she can speak and that Paimon would do the talking. It would be a hassle for the mortals to annoyingly pester her to learn the language when she can pick it up in her own time. Already, she can pick out phrases as she goes. If she is human, she would be called a monster.

 

To her amusement, the knight trusts them without much difficulty despite her saying she didn’t trust them. Mortals. So soft and sentimental. One word from Paimon about Aether and she breaks.

 

As they make their way to destroy the hilichurl camps, Amber speaks of the dragon, Stormterror. And, well, Lumine snorts at this inwardly. A dragon whose name is Stormterror, one who most likely can control the weather, and thus wind, and her enchantments glowing bright when near the dragon they had saw earlier, plus the suspicious red gem—Lumine didn’t need to be an old immortal to tell you that something shady is going on.

 

Still, she keeps quiet. It isn’t any of her business. Unless it directly affects her, she isn’t going to go out of her way to help.

 


 

Lumine wonders if she is cursed now in addition to losing everything she has.

 

As she is swept to the skies, her wind glider (she wishes she can fly) trembles with the effort to keep her from falling. Even though Amber has praised Jean, Lumine has yet to see a capable person around.

 

Well, she thinks to herself, at least it’ll be easy to gain their trust and gratitude after this. 

 

With that god’s voice in her ear, she summons the power of Anemo and begins to battle.

 

She allows herself to bare her teeth.

 


 

Kaeya looks at the newcomer with a smirk. Her short, yellow hair waves lazily in the wind. Her eyes are like stars, dazzling and bright. Despite having gone through a trial, her white dress flutters perfectly in the air, not a dust particle to be seen.

 

“Are you an ally… or a new storm?” he asks. She looks blankly at him. 

 

It is suspicious. Two travelers from afar; one a floating figure, the other with the strength to rival a dragon. And although he is ashamed to admit it, he questions just how much the story of looking for a lost brother is true. However, he acknowledges that they did, indeed, help them.

 

“Well, we couldn’t have just stood there and let the situation worsen, can we?” The floating figure gives a little twirl. Her little face is rosy with happiness. “Since we could help, we stepped in!” 

 

The Traveler did not speak. It is apparent that she knows not of their language though Kaeya wonders if she agrees with what Paimon says. Kaeya wonders again, if Paimon is the one in charge and if Paimon isn’t just a guide. After all, it seems like the Traveler is willing to do whatever Paimon says.

 

As Paimon agrees to help them out, they discuss a plan to attack three of the temples. Kaeya only sees Paimon whisper to the Traveler shortly after the meeting before the Traveler gives a small nod and heads for the door.

 

“Then, we’ll go to the temples now! See you all later!” Paimon cheers.

 

They return with no injuries. Kaeya shudders at the Traveler’s blank look and her blood-covered sword.

 


 

Lumine sweeps through the city of Mondstadt with gentleness and generosity. She pretends not to know people’s secrets (they’re really bad actors) and pretends not to know what happens around her. She pretends to be a fool who does commissions at cheap prices and helps others without a single benefit.

 

The fight with Dvalin brings great joy to her. The fights within domains and the duels with the wolf ghost brings even more pleasure. She’s content to brawl her way through things (“To your left!”) without a mind to those who look upon her in awe (“Go, Lumi! Woohoo!”).

 

But Lumine is slowly tiring of the same routine with no news of her brother. The reason why she continues to help these pathetic humans is to acquire their aid and what little assistance they can provide (and maybe suction a little bit of their powers each time they interact). Yet all they did is to put up posters of her brother, as if something like that can do anything.

 

Jean had said there was little they could do when Stormterror was around yet now that the incident has been settled, there is no update whatsoever.

 

To this, Lumine is disgusted but also resigned. One really cannot rely on mortals.

 

“Liyue is so beautiful!” But at least Lumine still has Paimon.

 

“It is,” she agrees quietly. She takes her words back when she sees the fake god crash and die.

 

She doesn’t even care as she siphons the power of the adepti to take for herself during the battle against the sea monster (Orial? Oris? Osis? It doesn’t matter). It is her payment for being involved in that old rock’s test.

 

It is what she is owed.

 


 

Lumine stares. For once, her lackluster expression turns to one of astonishment and confusion as Aether appears out of nowhere and deflects Dainself (Dainsleif? Danslef?).

 

His enchants glow a crystal white, his godly sword by his side. Lumine sucks in a deep breath. Her eyes blew wide with glee.

 

“Prince?” she asks shakily, in godspeak. Pride bursts in her chest. It seems that Aether has been awake in this world longer than her and he has carved a place for himself, one of great power and value (unlike her).

 

“Your brother… and the Abyss?” Paimon gasps. Lumine ignores her, eyes trained on her Aether. Those golden eyes, that dark yellow hair, his black and yellow clothes that she had personally sewn for him—

 

“Lumine… why are you with Dain?” Aether questions heavily. He seems pained.

 

“...What?” she breathes. “We’ve been separated for so long and yet you’re asking about something that doesn’t matter?” Lumine takes a step forward, her pride and ecstasy warping to one of anger and distaste.

 

“He is my enemy,” Aether counters. “How can you be with him?”

 

Lumine feels like the air has been punched out of her chest. Her vision staggers. Her star core pulses. It’s been so so long since she last saw Aether and no doubt even longer since Aether with her and yet. And yet. All Aether does is interrogate her? Lumine seethes. The wind picks up.

 

As Paimon and Aether discuss the fate of Khaenri’ah, Lumine struggles to rein in her control.

 

“You can tell me all of this later.” Lumine’s voice cuts through the chatter, her voice an icy blade. “Let’s go home.”

 

“Home…” Aether murmurs. “Yes, of course. ‘Home’ is wherever we are together. But I cannot go with you—”

 

Aether speaks some more but Lumine has heard enough.

 

Stardust shakes her veins, her world a vicious red. What is this? All her devotion to courting human friendships, suffering through universe-knows-how-long of anxiety and boredom, pretending and acting like she is mortal even though she didn’t need to act at all because she feels mortal and now Aether says they can’t go home when he still has his powers and— 

 

She screams as Aether leaves her—this time willingly, on his own two feet—and she shrieks with the fury of a thousand stars. The universe answers her call.

 

Paimon faints.

 


 

“Home is wherever we are together,” Lumine whispers. She leans her forehead against Aether’s, her loving eyes staring into his tear-filled ones. “You don’t need them. You have me.”

 

“I know,” Aether whispers back. Tears continue to drip from his starry eyes. Lumine patiently wipes them away. “But it’s still so painful to see them go.”

 

“I told you,” she says. “I told you not to grow attached. They are mere mortals. We are more. We only need each other and the universe.”

 

“I know.” Aether sobs and shakes. He sinks into Lumine’s arms. Despite being the older brother, he is more fragile than she is. “But I wish we can meet others like us.”

 

“We’re the star children,” she reminds him, not unkindly. “We are the only ones.”

 

Aether cries. A star nearby implodes. Lumine soothes him with the songs of nebulas. 

 


 

When Lumine wakes, she makes a decision.

 

“No,” is Paimon’s answer when another person asks for help.

 


 

“Choose, Paimon. Me or them.”

 

And well, that isn’t fair, is it?

 

But Paimon looks at Lumine with her dim, golden eyes and slumping shoulders, the power of the stars barely flickering inside her, and realizes it isn’t fair to Lumine.

 

Lumine saved Paimon’s life and took care of her. She fed her and clothed her, took her out for adventures and cuddled her and as much as she’ll miss Teyvat (Klee’s liveliness, Diluc’s sternness, Kaeya’s jokes, Amber’s kindness, Razor’s soft hair, Qiqi’s murmurs, Ningguang’s generosity, Beidou’s vigor, Xiao’s quietness, Zhongli’s stories, and on and on—), she’ll miss Lumine even more.

 

Because Lumine gives her everything that mother others couldn’t. Lumine gives her love and care and she’s the one who has been accompanying Lumine from the start.

 

Paimon is the Traveler’s companion. The fairy to the god. The deity to the star. 

 

Paimon is Lumine’s guide and Lumine is her friend, sister, mother.

 

Paimon is Lumine’s family. Neither of them are mortal. Teyvat will be gone even if Paimon stays.

 

It isn’t an easy decision but Paimon decides that no matter what, she’ll stay by Lumine’s side.

 

“Choose.” 

 

“Paimon will stay with you!”

 

Lumine smiles then. Paimon realizes it’s been a long long time since Lumine smiled.

 

What do you think you are doing, child?

 

Paimon decides it is the right decision.

 

She lets Lumine borrow her crown (Lumine is sparkling when she takes it; Paimon can’t bring herself to regret it) and soon, it’s all over.

 


 

Lumine blazes through Teyvat. Her actions are frenzied and desperate. Although Venti and Zhongli are both nearly useless to her, with their Gnosis gone—and thus a great amount of their power—however, she still inhales both of them.

 

Lumine tears through their flesh, her being wrapped in the white glow of the divine. With Paimon being her battery, she shatters the two Archons into stardust and eats them. 

 

She has no need for the mortals though she summons the winds to take those with Visions away. She takes them for herself, jaw unhinging, no longer in her mortal form. 

 

“Would you like some, Paimon?” Lumine inquires Paimon softly. She holds a slow, rotating star gem within her hands. 

 

“It’s okay!” Paimon says with fake cheer. Her hands tremble. Her skin flushes with sweat. “Paimon isn’t hungry. And besides, Lumi, you need it more than Paimon!” 

 

Lumine nods and turns back to her meal. She calmly strikes the wolf ghost when he comes near and eats him with Razor on the side.

 

Cleaning her plate of Mondstadt and Liyue, she moves on to Inazuma.

 

The Electro Archon tastes like charred barbeque. The fox is a nice kebab. The Fatui show themselves and Lumine eats them too. The child (what a weird name) tastes like ashes, the purple one is like poison. She sucks her fingers of their tainted blood and makes a face.

 

“Doesn’t taste good?” Paimon asks worriedly. 

 

“No. Mortals tend not to taste very well.” Lumine wipes her lips.

 

“Can I try?” Paimon requests a moment later. Curiosity has gotten the better of her. 

 

“Of course.” Lumine smiles gently at her. “Whatever you want, my dear.”

 

Paimon’s gaunt face lights up immediately.

 


 

“Lumine… What are you doing?” Aether stops at the doorway, a queer look on his face.

 

“I’m having lunch,” Lumine replies between the bones. “Would you like?”

 

“No, thank you. I already ate.” Still, Aether gives her a strange look. “What are you eating?”

 

“I’m not sure. I think this was a rabbit.” She holds up the bizarrely large bone.

 

Aether laughs. “You sure?”

 

“Yeah. Had long ears and everything.” 

 

“If you say so,” Aether says fondly. “I’ll be back for dinner, wait for me?”

 

“Of course.” Lumine beams with affection. “I’ll make bone soup.”

 

“That sounds good,” Aether agrees. “See you later.” He hugs her tightly before letting go.

 

Lumine stares at his back. She wishes she can make him stay.

 


 

“Lumine… What are you doing?” Aether sounds horrified as he appears from a portal. His eyes rove over the ravaged land. By the time he had heard of the news, it was too late. Lumine has single-handedly destroyed Teyvat. 

 

Corpses are littered everywhere, many of them missing a part of their bodies. Those with powers are disintegrating into stardust, compressed into star gems for Lumine to devour. Paimon happily munches on one of them. The sound is like hard candy.

 

“I’m killing your enemies,” Lumine explains patiently. She has Dain pinned on the ground, her claws wrapped around his throat. His blond hair is in disarray, his eyepatch gone. His cape is in tatters and so is he. There are tears in his eyes. “You seem to be hesitant about leaving this world with me despite already reuniting with me. It is about revenge, no?”

 

She chokes Dain to death with no flicker of emotions on her face. Lumine is calmly watching Aether. Dain dies slowly, horrifically.

 

“I— Oh, Lumine,” Aether murmurs tearfully. His shoulders seem to sag as he stumbles toward Lumine. “It’s dangerous to go about like this.”

 

“Have you forgotten who we are?” Lumine asks. She stands, wiping her dirty hands on her dress. There is blood smeared all over her. She strolls toward Aether and hugs him tightly. She doesn’t let go. “We are the universe’s star children. There is nothing we can’t do. Even if this brings us disaster—maims us, kills us—we will survive. We are invulnerable and we are immortal.” 

 

“I didn’t want this.” Aether’s cold facade begins to crack as his eyes begin to tear up. “I didn’t want it to end like this. I wanted to—”

 

“You wished to battle the Unknown God? You wished to wage war?” Lumine sighs. She knows her brother too well. “Aether, there is no need to do such pointless things. You are not a minor god. You are not a mortal. These trivial things can be done quickly if you just use your powers correctly.”

 

Aether nods meekly. All the desire for vengeance drains out of him when he sees that there is nothing left of Teyvat. Somewhere deep inside him wants to battle Lumine but he knows this is futile. At the end of the day, they are the star twins. Even if he fights, nothing will change.

 

Aether wipes his eyes, resigned. His eyes wander to the floating fairy.

 

Paimon perks up and flies over. Lumine smiles. “This is Paimon. She has been a great guide and companion to me. She also allowed me to borrow her powers.”

 

Aether meets eyes with Lumine. She nods. Aether shakes his head. “Thank you, Paimon, for looking after my sister. I should’ve been at her side. It must’ve been troublesome.”

 

“Not at all! Paimon had lots and lots of fun with Lumine! Lumine is very special to Paimon.” Paimon spins in elation and embarrassment. 

 

Aether laughs, his sound hollow. “Will you be joining us?”

 

“Oh, if Paimon isn’t too much trouble…” Paimon twists her fingers shyly.

 

Lumine smirks at Aether’s inner turmoil. “Of course not, Paimon is precious to me. How can you be trouble?”

 

“Then, let’s go!” Paimon shoots up into the sky. 

 

“Would your mother not be worried?” Aether bites out.

 

“Mother…” Paimon’s lips tremble. 

 

“It’s alright, Paimon.” Lumine pats Paimon’s head as she, too, begins to take flight. “We’ll be your new family.”

 

Pouting, Aether takes his place next to his sister.

 

Together, they soar out of the world. 

 

Behind them, a large shooting star comes out of nowhere. It collides with Teyvat and swallows it whole. Celestia is gone, the gods are gone, and the Unknown God has nowhere to dwell. The universe takes harshly to those who dare to harm its star children.

 

Pathetic, is all Lumine thinks as they make their way to another world.

 


 

Epilogue:

 

“Oooh! Paimon finally did it!” Paimon dances in the air, delightfully clapping her hands.

 

“You did it!” Aether sing-songs as he twirls her about. After cohabiting with Paimon for a while, he has taken a liking to her and is no longer pestering Lumine about eating Paimon. 

 

“Great job,” Lumine praises.

 

Manipulating celestial bodies is no light work and yet after a millennium of practice, Paimon has achieved it.

 

“Thank you!” Paimon’s eyes light up as she happily accepts the kebab. “Paimon will work hard to do even more fun things!”

 

“That’s right! You’ll be as powerful as us if you keep it up!” Aether gives Paimon a high-five, a mortal sign of support that they’ve learned a while ago.

 

“Be good, you two. Sit down and eat properly.”

 

With laughter and chatter all around her, Lumine is content. She’ll make sure nothing can get in the way of her family, ever again.

 

I’ll kill all of them before they can even touch my precious.



Notes:

I am an extremely petty and selfish person. I don't give a shit about the Unknown God or the inhabitants of Teyvat. Let Lumine and Aether reunite PERMANENTLY, please.

I headcanon that Aether is the more sentimental type of person while Lumine is jaded. Between the two, I think Lumine works better as the ruthless royal of the Abyss Order while Aether is the Traveler that does all the work for little pay because he's too kind.

And so, with Lumine in the position of the Traveler, she doesn't speak and just does whatever is thrown her way if she thinks it'll benefit her. Commissions for mora, assistance for trust, battles for power and training, etc.

Anyways, this wasn't a very good piece but I hope you guys enjoyed it a little. I hope better writers out there can write a Feral!Traveler!Lumine fic where she forces Aether to leave with her. I crave sustenance.