Actions

Work Header

Hang Out: Innocence- The Apprenticeship and Dinner with Dad

Summary:

Hang out: Innocence - A Young Shinobi's Guide to Lifelong Friendships and Adventure

Kakashi's little boy begins his apprenticeship with Kiba Inuzuka today. Akamaru and Akemaru meet with him instead and Suisei learns that being a ninja will involve difficult and sometimes painful situations. Thankfully, Kakashi is there as a loving father to guide him as he travels in his footsteps.

Work Text:

Seven year old Suisei Hatake sprinted from the playground all the way to the homeroom where he was to officially meet his sensei for the first time. The Academy halls were free of obstacles to dodge, since the older kids had already gone home for the day. Despite being on preliminary probation and Dad insisting that he wasn't going to be training for a while, he was still going to be working side by side with a jonin, as his pupil! He would be a ninken specialist’s apprentice.  That had to still count for something right?

 

 He slowed as he thought back to this morning’s long non-talk. The heavy silence.  The voices of the wind and the leaves as they had rattled together, carrying a big storm along with it. Goosebumps prickled like static along his chest and shoulders, making him shiver anxiously.  He’d make sure of it.  Kiba-sensei had believed enough in a yappy runt like him to throw him a bone and a chance to do better. He wanted to do well for him.

 

Strolling along and reading headlines in posters along the walls as he passed them slowly enough to read now, he found himself thinking about his parents. They were in his corner still, too, but Suisei  ruminated on what else Dad could have been thinking about today that had changed his routine. If there had been something he wanted to say to him, he would have. But he probably said everything he could think of to say at this point. Be careful. Don’t go here. Spit that out. That thing’s dangerous, this thing’s sharp. You’re gonna shoot your eye out. If he was tired of hearing it, Dad was sick of repeating himself. 

 

Suisei slipped his hands into his pockets, rubbing his thumbs over his fingernails restlessly. Dad forgave a lot, but he never exactly forgot about things. Instead, they were just building, disappointment after disappointment like bricks crumbling away their foundation of trust one by one. Between reinjuring his arm and being caught in a danger zone near explosives, he wished the man would just be mad at him like a normal parent. Instead, Suisei could practically see old wounds tear open and begin to hemorrhage and as always, Dad was shielding him from the worst of it. He'd gotten a very mortal peek beyond the real mask this morning, and that particular truth was hard to swallow. Aching in remembrance, he winced at a dull throbbing in his arm and the transgressions involved during that incident too.  As he considered it, it dawned on him that this time, Dad was probably imagining him being blown to smithereens, like what the big fuss during his arrest was all about in the first place. How many times, how many ways had he forced his dad, of all people, to imagine burying his kid? He would do better. He had to stop hurting him.

 

Hearing low electrical humming, he rounded a corner to the corridor of homerooms and paused to see if there was anything in the vending machines. There was not. Instead, it had been stocked with nasty snack cakes, with no macadamia nuts to be seen. Not even traces. 

 

He caught a ghost of his reflection in the clean glass as he stepped away from it. Only in a passing glimpse like that could somebody mistake him for the other Hatake, but there were still a few similarities. They had the same hooded eyes and though it wasn’t an average comparison, his mom said they both had the same lazy, easygoing smile when they were nose deep in a good book.  Pausing to look at his reflection and try to give a convincing one, he instead heaved a heavy sigh and slowly approached the door to the homeroom just past it. In his head, there were too many things that wanted to be thought about. He looked like Dad, but how could he be any more different? He was the genius son of a genius. Suisei, on the other hand, saw himself as just always going with the flow. Just like Jade had said earlier; No thoughts, just vibes. He put his hand on the wood of the door and stopped, standing in front of it as his head swam. He had to do well. He couldn’t keep disappointing the people who believed in him. 

 

Feeling the weight of the wood push back against his fingertips, Suisei internally counted to three before internalising his insecurities back down. With a thunk, he pushed the door open all the way, fully expecting to see Kiba standing there waiting for him. Instead, the room was empty and the lights were still off.  “Oh come on..” 

 

Suisei clicked his tongue to the roof of his mouth as he strolled in without flicking on the light, sitting on the instructor chair at the front desk. Idly, he moved his legs up in the seat and slowly connected one to the desk. Swiveling the chair with his leg, he contemplated what to do. 

“Do I just wait here then..?” he wondered aloud. 

Glancing at the clock, he groaned and wondered if it was too late to rejoin Jade. The clock said yes. The pair of barks at the door, one deep and one shrill, said that it didn’t matter now anyway. 

 

“Finally.” he said softly, getting down and his face souring to a miffed pout as he saw that the dogs were missing a specific person who was supposed to be meeting with him. Akemaru was settled on Akamaru’s head, but their handler was decidedly absent. So much for believing in him, Kiba didn’t even come to pick him up himself?  He crossed his good arm under his sling and leaned his head back, tilting it as he hummed in false contemplation. “Or.. are you going to be my Sensei, Akamaru..?” 

 

Akamaru whined at him once, licking his cheek and wagging his tail. That earned a bubbly laugh from the boy. No, he wasn’t, and Suisei had just been being silly, anyway. With an easy smile that didn’t have to be forced, he reached up his hand to scratch the large ninken’s ear, then the red puppy’s. Maybe Akamaru was more like Akemaru’s sensei. With another bark from the senior dog, he crouched down. 

 

Suisei placed his hand over Akamaru’s shoulders, petting them softly. “I’ll walk beside you guys.”  he started, but Akemaru joined in, barking at him to just do as he was being instructed, in not so many syllables. Feeling very called out by someone not even half his size, Suisei buttoned his lip and climbed on the veterans back. He leaned forward, wrapping his good arm around the hound’s neck. Akemaru snuggled down between them and anchored the three of them together with chakra. “Fine, but I’m still telling people you’re my sensei.” 

 

 

Once his tiny rider was held firmly in place, Akamaru’s experienced paws shifted and they all briefly leaned back. Suisei was reminded of a pullback set at home in his toybox. They were shaped like kunai knives with different colored handles. If he raked one of the little racers over the ground backwards and let it go, they would take off, just like Akamaru! Not through the clouds, no, but as the whipping wind mildly stung pampered cheeks, Suisei decided that this was air travel all the same. 

 

He pushed his head down, squishing his face into white fur that waved wildly, mixing with his own as they flew out of the Academy. He was mindful not to lay any weight on Akemaru. Instead, he watched the smaller dog working just as hard as the larger, keeping him from falling off. To the Pyranese’s credit, Suisei felt entirely safe. He was in good paws. 

 

Two low ruffs rumbled below him and as the aviation adventure on Akamaru’s back rose even higher, up above the rooftops, Suisei felt the anchor holding him tighter. It was incredible to get to watch them both up close. Ninken really were the best. Even with his face buried safely in plush fur, his lips peeled back to his ears. They were such good boys. His real senseis. 

 

The buildings began to stretch further apart as the deep greenery began to dominate the scenery. Suisei giggled to himself a little as they rushed through a cluster of leaves. The rustling of the trees naturally hid them, wrapping them in a thick blanket of safety. With as many different shapes and colors as he could count on fingers, toes and toe beans, he tried to remember the names of the various local plants and trees. Oaks were the easiest, he thought to himself. Akamaru landed on a thick white branch of one, pausing for a moment.  Suisei turned his head the other way, shutting his eyes with an understanding laugh. “You gotta pee.” he connected, getting an appreciative whine in response. 

 

Minding his business as Sensei did his business, he shut his eyes and when they took off only a moment later, he kept them closed. It was so cozy up in the trees. He could take a nap. He slowly opened his eyes halfway, sneaking a peak at the sky’s russet orange starting to darken into lavender from beyond an endless silhouette of ash leaves. How pretty his home was. Closing his eyes again, he deeply exhaled as he returned to a question he’d posed to Dad after dinner recently.

 

Dad was sitting on the floor with him in the living room, news playing on the tv again, but with the sound off and subtitles on. Sound on meant everyone in the house needed to be paying attention. So while he ignored some boring infrastructure budget evaluation, Suisei had thrown himself across his lap. The older of the pair exaggerated his groan.

 

“Come on, mercy. I’m tired tonight.” he had whined, yet his reflexes were perfectly capable of deflecting every attempt on Suisei’s part to poke the center of his forehead protector. Finally pestered enough to catch him by both wrists, though mindful of his cast, the gentle giant leaned down, letting go right away.  He allowed Suisei to brush his fingertips over the engraved metal curiously. Tracing his fingers through the familiar grooves thoughtfully, he felt a strong sense of pride bubble up from his stomach, even in the waking world. He wanted to wear one so badly. “What’s on your mind?” his father’s voice encouraged softly.  

 

Suisei clinked his fingernail into the center of the spiral once. “What tree is this kind of leaf from?” Dad had lifted his eyes in thought for that one. More specifically, he held that thinking pose and left Suisei without an answer. With a deadpan pout, he scoffed up at the supposedly legendary man. “You know,  you can say ‘ I don’t know.’  I’m not entirely sure you wouldn’t burst into flames, but hey, for science.” 

 

“Design wise-” he began, brushing off Suisei’s ribbing and casting a relaxed, but thoughtful gaze down at him and leaning against the couch. Suisei moved to sit up in his lap, leaning against his chest. Dad must have known that he had wanted a hug because safe arms wrapped him up tightly before he continued. “It could be based on an aspen or ash. They fit the basic shape and are common enough. What do you think?”

 

Feeling the shift from running along branches to the ground, Suisei yawned and kept his eyes closed, remaining in the living room with Dad for a while longer. As he dozed, he felt lucid enough to think within the hazy memory dream. He doubled down on what he’d thought earlier. Not only would he stop hurting him, and not only would he do well, but he decided that he would make him proud. Proud for real.

 

He must have had someone listening, because his labors were about to begin. 

 

Akemaru grumbled softly and pushed his cold nose up to the sleepy boy’s chin. Wake up, lazy bones. Suisei chuckled under his breath, cracking his eyes back open.  “Alright, alright,” he roused. He blinked the heaviness from his eyelids, pushing his face back into Akamaru’s fur to yawn. They were still moving, but the destination was in sight and fast approaching.  “I’m up.” With one final burst of speed, Akamaru delivered him to the front doors of the Inuzuka Veterinary Clinic.

 

Akemaru leapt down immediately, briskly walking through automatic doors into an empty lobby. With Suisei sitting upright, Akamaru followed close behind. He heard the two dogs bark to each other clearly, but the words were lost to him as his eyes darted around the waiting room. The air was static and tense, though the only sounds Suisei could hear were the fluorescent hum and the click of canine nails to tile. Suisei was grateful for his hood, pushing it up.

 

Akemaru pushed through a different set of doors behind a counter while Akamaru approached a thick orthopedic mat. Before Suisei could swing his leg over and begin to thank him for the ride, Sensei tossed him onto it. It was actually pretty soft and he half bounced before  he was pinned down by the big dog laying across him. 

 

Sit. Stay. Good Hatake. 

 

The rhythmic cranking in the waiting room wall clock was as repetitive as his dog sensei’s heartbeat against his back. With nothing to do or go, he gave up and watched the long hand until the short hand moved an entire hour. If it wasn’t for the heavy atmosphere, he may have gone back to sleep. This wasn’t uncomfortable, though he hoped this wasn't going to be all this ‘babysitting’ would be. 

 

He let out a whine to the canine, who Suisei was pretty sure was snickering at him. He huffed and leaned his head backwards, white billowing over the edge. “Can I get up now?” He tried, but he was ignored. Whatever. He popped his lips a few times, noticing an earworm start to ring in the back of his head and began humming it to himself. As he did, he pulled his good arm free. Akamaru looked up for a moment, but laid his head back onto the soft bed. All the boy did was pull on his hood. 

 

The music was red, but not violent or angry. It was a proud score. Something that had a low repetition.. Then a woman’s vocal in a language he didn’t speak. Maybe once he realized what it was, he could look up what the lyrics meant. Though, since he was still grounded, he’d have to go to the library to use the computer. He wondered what he’d have to type into the search bar.  An opera that was red and spicy like a habanero?  Whatever it was called, it was better than just being bored so he would hum a few bars off and on. 

 

Finally, Suisei’s ears caught onto something new. Heavy tapping that was growing more noticeable.  Footsteps quickly approached the double doors and Akamaru stood up as they swung open. Suisei sat up and then quickly rose to his feet, taking a deep breath when he saw Kiba-sensei walk out. His brown mane of hair was tied back into a ponytail and he was wearing a pair of surgical scrubs. The boy snapped to attention when the Inuzuka’s eyes met his. This wasn't the same as when he saw him out in the village. They were intense and verified the static he’d been feeling in the air. “Come with me.”  the hound user commanded and then returned beyond the doors. 

 

Immediately, Suisei joined Kiba-sensei as he returned to the deeper section of the office. Suisei could smell the chemical stink of medicines stronger now and Kiba-sensei… he smelled like blood. There was no mistake about that.  He kept up with the jonin and followed a wordless command as he pointed a finger to a sink with strong antimicrobial soap.  Suisei turned the hot water on and began to scrub up to his elbows, listening to his sensei speak.

 

“I need you listening with both ears wide open right now. Real life happens in real time, so consider yourself as on a mission from me right now. It’s a matter of life and death, but I know you’re the person for the job.” he explained. With a hand tapping Suisei’s shoulder and pushing him forward to walk with him, Kiba-sensei led him into an exam room.  

 

Recognizing Hana Inuzuka as both the officer’s sister and the vet of his own family’s dogs, Suisei’s eyes focused on the pet carrier in her hands, and then the  wooden frame called a whelping box that his sensei instructed him to sit in. Following orders, he took his sandals off and sat in the corner. A small plastic tote with a heating pad was placed in his lap while Miss Hana very carefully transferred the newborns into it. They were still wet and their eyes were still closed. Suisei had never seen puppies so young in person before, only in books and videos. He also noticed that since the heating pad wasn’t plugged in, it was being powered by a paper tag.

 

 “Listen to me, Suisei.” Kiba-sensei started, commanding his attention again by calling his name. “These puppies are helpless. Their mother is struggling and she can’t be with them right now because I need to go help Miss Hana perform a c-section to get the rest of them. I need you to stay right here with them and keep them safe and warm. Don’t wiggle around too much, they’re very delicate. Can we count on you?” 

Suisei firmly nodded, keeping his voice quiet for the babies, but speaking clearly and directly. That was how he’d been taught to properly regard your commanding officer. “Yes sir!” As exciting as this was, he tried to stay focused on the task at hand. There were five little squirming, wrinkled beans weighing down the plastic container in his lap and as Kiba-sensei and Miss Hana left him alone with them, he let out a shuddering breath. 

 

Time slowed until it felt fake. The air was still. But bright brown eyes sparkled down at the infants who were depending on him and he felt the same feelings of pride bubbling up from his stomach he’d felt during his nap. This felt right. 

 

One of them began to whimper, a large boy who had squirmed his nose into the weakly pushing back leg of his sister. A gentle hand reached in, stroking away the unintentional kick with a single finger, testing just how delicate delicate meant. They were as fragile as rice paper and just as smooth, even with their wispy, down like white fur. “There we go, I’ve got you. Let’s save taijutsu until your brothers and sisters get here, deal?” he cooed. 

 

Looking to the door, Suisei wondered what was going on in the surgery room. It had never occurred to him that dogs sometimes had trouble having puppies. He heard the puppies murmur and squeak again and one corner of his mouth twisted up sympathetically. “I know, I know, it’ll be alright. You’re worried about your Mama. Miss Hana and Kiba-sensei will take care of her, you’ll be together soon. Until then, I’ll take care of you.”

 

He stayed vigilant, but even as he paid close attention to sounds beyond the exam room, it was much more fun to watch the puppies. After all, that was what he was supposed to be doing anyway.  Despite only being, at most, a few hours old, they could wiggle like there was no tomorrow. They had nowhere to go, but they were going to get there fast. It made him laugh softly to see them dogpile on each other. “Oh!” he gasped softly, wiggling his pinkie as a tiny toothless mouth tried to nurse from it. “You’re silly.” He gave a low effort attempt to pull his hand away, but since the puppy seemed full of youthful determination, who was he to take a binky from a baby-- er, a pinkey. 

 

Still smiling at the hungry pup, he noticed that it felt much warmer back here than it did in the lobby. He weighed the options of unzipping his jacket, but decided to just tough it out and be hot. It wasn’t the end of the world and Kiba-sensei had specifically said not to wiggle. Still, as the identical clock in the room clicked away, beads of sweat trailed down the back of his neck and dampened the edge of his hair. However, even though he was a little uncomfortable, he still heard the metallic click of the door handle before it swung open. 

 

A cool gust from outside of the room temporarily fanned the tepid tot and while he thought to himself that he hoped he didn’t look like he enjoyed that breeze, the thought itself made him laugh. He looked at the puppies attempting to suckle for a moment, and then up to his sensei. “I think they’re hungry. They’ve been crying.” he started, but he quieted back down. In addition to already having several small bottles filled with a pale yellow liquid, the jonin had a second shallow bin with him. Six more puppies, one more than in the box he was holding! 

 

With his shoes set aside next to Suisei’s smaller ones at the door, the hound user joined his student in the whelping box. Setting the new whining container flat on the blankets, he moved the container from Suisei’s lap after gently freeing his finger. He wasn’t saying anything about it, but Suisei began to feel a sadness coming off of his leader, despite the toothy smile he was being given. 

 

Kiba Sensei waved him to come sit beside him, patting the spot next to him. First unzipping his jacket and tossing it over the metal counter, Suisei watched him carefully pick up one of the puppies.  “Pay attention to how I’m holding them,” he instructed. The jonin held them with one hand splayed out to support their chest and head without letting them wiggle free. With his other hand, he held the small bottle so that the air collected at the top. 

 

Since Suisei was still in a cast, it took a moment to catch on, but soon he had a white puppy held against his chest as he slowly and carefully fed it. There were so many to feed like this one by one. “They’ll need to eat every two hours.” Kiba began to further explain as he moved onto another puppy and another bottle. “Every time they finish eating, we’re going to stimulate them to go to the bathroom. Just watch me do that today, but keep feeding the puppies in your bucket until you finish.”

 

Suisei was nodding along with his Sensei’s order as he set down the full puppy and gently scooped up another. So, they’d do this again tomorrow? He looked down at the tiny dog’s face as it squirmed and fussed until it latched onto the bottle. He must have felt lousy, because Sensei’s next words cheered Suisei up some. “Then, they’ll need names. That’s all you.” 

 

“Yes sir.” he nodded, but he kept his eyes on a tiny black nose. He’d keep his word and take care of them. He pulled the bottle back carefully and the blind bundle fell asleep so fast that she nearly flopped out of his grasp, but he didn’t let her fall. If he and Sensei would be doing all of this, their Mama wasn’t going to be able to come back. That was why his superior was upset. “Kiba sensei?” he started, looking to the now empty bottle and sloshing the big bubbles around the bottom.

 

“Yeah, I’ve got a new one for you, trade ya.” the jonin incorrectly assumed, although Suisei did need a full bottle. He had two more puppies to feed before he made up names. They both reached an arm out, an empty bottle being traded for a full, freshly shaken one. Picking up another hungry baby, Suisei let out an inaudible sigh. As it began to suckle, the apprentice cast a glance at some art supplies that his master tossed beside him. Skinny markers and some blank canvas collars to write down some names. Humming once to himself in thought, he looked at the designs on his cast and wondered if he could imitate any of them. His pondering was tugged by his own stomach starting to nag for a meal too. 

 

One puppy went back down and the final unfed newborn was lifted. The bottle pinched between the fingers sticking out of his cast while his good hand continued to imitate the way he was being shown. As the baby ate and Suisei tried not to think about what he wanted to eat for dinner, he instead watched his teacher pick up a full puppy. He held him belly up, rubbing a cotton swab under the tail. He must have gawked, because he could hear the man laughing softly at his reaction. The mood seemed to lighten as they had fallen into a good pace together, but there was still that same sad feeling he felt earlier. It hung around like a bad stink. Suisei set down the bottle and paused before putting the final puppy down, just stealing a few extra seconds to appreciate how cute they were. 

 

While Kiba-Sensei continued to clean little butts and helped the puppies go to the toilet, Suisei picked up the collars and thought about what kind of names to give them. They were all white right now, with black pawpads and noses, so ‘Spot’ wasn’t on the table. Not unless he could think of ten more ironic names to match. Meow the dog? Katchen? When he thought about it, he did know that there was a horse named Moose once, and they even played an elk in a movie! Shaking his head to himself only, he felt his stomach start to rumble. He wanted to eat, not think of puns. 

 

No, that was a lie, he always wanted to think of puns. But couldn’t he have puns and buns? Oh, potato buns, toasted and with some butter. Since it had rained so hard, there were surely lots of mushrooms already popping up too! His stomach panged at the thought of some chicken-of-the-woods. He liked puns and his foraging- he liked to think that made him a fun guy. 

 

With nobody but himself to laugh at his joke, he uncapped an orange marker and began to write carefully using his left hand. Sometimes, it was pretty handy being a military brat. Since he’d broken his arm, writing things down never became troublesome. He could use his left one instead. What was neat was how much nicer his back up handwriting was getting. 

 

Shio was a good one for a white dog. It meant salt, which was also white. To match it, he was going to think of other seasonings. Chicken of the Woods came out really good when Oji had used that fast food spice blend and when he thought harder about it, he could remember all eleven. 

 

While imitating what Kuromaru had drawn on his cast as best as he could, Suisei gave every collar a primary color. Spirals and jagged lines, surrounded by dots. He didn’t follow the pattern exactly, but he had fun. Each time he would finish one, he would hand it over and his sensei would put it on them.. 

 

The adult’s hands moved incredibly gently, almost as if the babies were soap bubbles. He could almost imagine them popping, they were so fragile. Looking into the bucket he had fed, he wondered if he had still been too rough with them. Kiba Sensei would have stopped him, he knew realistically, but he just wanted to do well by them. The poor babies. There was a dull tugging in his ribcage. He couldn’t imagine losing his mom. He looked up at his sensei again, watching him hide what must have been some pretty terrible sadness. Suisei couldn’t imagine losing any of his dogs, either. “Kiba-sensei.” he tried again. He tossed a teal colored collar over to him.

 

Kiba-sensei picked it up and read it, laughing. “That’s funny. Stupid, but funny.  Wait, are they all jokes?” he asked, holding up the collar.

“First of all, say what you want, but Thymecop is nothing short of art.” he was starting, but the door to the room opened again. Dr. Hana peeked her  head in first and then slid all the way in while Suisei picked up another collar and the black marker. 

 

In her hand was a large grey metal tumbler that smelled like some sort of fruity tea and she was handing it to Kiba-sensei. In the event that words become unhelpful and ‘I’m sorry’ only brings more discomfort, Suisei recognized an act of service. She brought her brother a hot drink. He must have really liked it, or really needed it because Kiba-sensei tilted his head back and must have finished half of it at once. 

 

Hana scoffed and Suisei giggled at the resulting long burp.”Thanks Sis.” he grunted. He glanced at the young apprentice of his who had again finished his task already and then back up to his sister. Without needing to be asked or propted, Hana leaned over to tap Suisei on the shoulder.

 

“I’m stealing you for the next two hours while the puppies sleep.” she said. She snapped her fingers and pointed to his jacket, prompting him to grab it as he walked out of the room with her. From out of the corner of his eye as the door closed behind them, Suisei was sure he saw his teacher finally put his hand to his brow as his shoulders sank, hunching forward. The hound user needed to be alone. Suisei was reminded of the walk back from the Memorial Stone and the mourner he and Dad had passed. Subconsciously, he walked a little closer to Dr. Hana and she moved her hand to the center of his shoulders for a moment, making him feel more at ease.  

 

The pair walked into a long hallway and Suisei could hear various barks from dogs in the kennels.   While the silence itself was not uncomfortable, he found himself reaching his hand out to tug at the cuff of the veterinarian’s sleeve softly.  “Is Sensei gonna be okay?” 

 

The corners of the Inuzuka’s lips twitched downward and she paused, turning to her brother’s new student and gently kneeling one leg down. Today was supposed to have gone much differently, but that was how life went. “He will be. I know that he’s grateful you’re here.” She turned her head for a moment, responding to one of the louder barks starting up again. The dogs who ate late were ready for their meal already. “Speaking of, I’m glad to have a helper around too. Want to help me feed some patients?”

 

 

Once he found a rhythm that worked, Suisei’s good hand moved on autopilot as he repeated the repetitive movement. Suisei smacked the side of an egg on the table, pulling the sides of the shell apart between his fingers and dropping the contents into dog bowls. Yolks and what he had read was called ‘albumen,’ which he remembered specifically because Jade had pointed out that since it translated to ‘white’, it would be easy for him to remember. He cracked a smile and another egg, laughing to himself. Maybe he did kind of have an aesthetic.  He dropped the last of the shells into the large silver bowl that had slowly filled as he cracked three eggs each into silver food bowls. It was to finish off a bowl of ground lamb and two chicken feet.

 

The chunin level Inuzuka watched him diligently walk the last food bowls to the trolley and look at her expectantly.  He watched her wave her hand forward, sending him off with it, but following behind and explaining his new task. He was young, but he followed orders well. The night stretched late and his sensei’s sister seemed keen to keep him with her for now.

 

-

 

After such a long day of helping around an active ninken hospital, Kakashi wasn’t surprised to see his son sleeping on an orthopedic dog bed next to the large Akamaru when he came to pick him up. His sensei had just finished going over what had happened and the upcoming plans for the litter as he knelt down in front of it. Akamaru lifted a tired head and let out a wide yawn, settling it back down as Kakashi scooped Suisei up. As he balanced him against his hip, he felt a tugging at his hidden lips and heartstrings as his still half sleeping son nuzzled his head against him and instinctively wrapped his arms and legs around him. Good boy. 

 

Rokudaime leaned his head down, pressing his chin ever so slightly against his head and swaying him gently in the relaxing quiet as he waited for Kiba to return with another member of his pack. With a glance at the clock, then down to Suisei, he wondered if it would be fine to just stop at Thunder Burger on the walk home. The cons began to outweigh the pros as he considered that Urushi shouldn't be walking around fast food places so soon after a wound repair. Even if he carried him, he’d probably like to go straight home to rest. By then, most shops would be closed… unless they made a run to the convenience store. 

 

One half of the double doors opened up and Kiba brought out Kakashi’s terrier. Around his blue vest was a lightly padded harness and round his neck, to the dog’s embarrassment and Kakashi’s silent delight, was a pink sprinkle donut inflatable. While it wasn’t the type of accessory Urushi would have picked out for himself, it was better than a cone. At least with this dumb thing he could see around him and eat with dignity. He was glad to be walking out of there quickly. 

Once they crossed into a quieter path, Kakashi paused, crouching down and carefully scooping his dog up, holding him cradled against him with his free arm. Though Urushi huffed and turned his head to lay backwards, he couldn't hide the wag of his tail. Changing the soft tone of the chatting before his owner could begin, he gave a bark to wake the child. “Suisei! It’s not even eleven yet. Wake up, slacker.”

“Maa, hey now..” Kakashi smoothed. The pack were all dealing with Suisei’s actions differently, and there was nothing he could do but let them all work it out. He’d step in when he needed to. “He’s still a puppy, Uru-ru. He worked hard with Officer Inuzuka today and he's going to continue working with him from now on.”

 

“He begged for an eleven thirty bedtime. Begged!” the critical canine pointed out.

 

Kakashi feigned a gasp. “I didn’t know begging was all that terrible for something you want. I’ll keep that in mind when I break out the pill pockets.”

 

“Pill pockets are different. They have medicine.”

 

“Well, since begging is bad now, I was thinking you could just take your nighttime dose all by itself.” he teased. His dog gave a whine and shoved a cold, wet nose into his ear, drawing an easy laugh out of the man. He was only kidding after all. As he continued to carry two armfuls of family, he watched his son’s plastered arm reach out carefully to comb his fingers through well groomed, but wiry fur. 

 

“Good boy...” the child murmured. “I missed you.” Sleepy eyes squinted open and he pulled himself higher around his father and resting his injured arm across the dog’s exposed belly. Anyone else but a pack member would be bitten. Belly rubs were a family exclusive. Even so, Suisei flinched out of guilt at the sound of a low rumble in Uru’s throat. 

 

“Didn’t miss me enough to stay out of trouble. If you want to be buried so badly-”

“That’s enough!” Kakashi barked, slowing to a standstill. The wind continued ahead of them, swaying the long grass along the quiet path leading through protected village woodland. Urushi avoided Kakashi’s gaze, dropping his ears and his tail. A wordless apology for a line crossed. Kakashi relented. He’d spent too much time in the last few days being upset. Urushi was just doing the same. But the way his whole torso twisted internally as his thoughts sharply returned to tiny caskets was too much and he had to cut the poor dog off. He would need a moment. 

 

He knelt down, settling both of his boys on their feet. “Both of you, go take a potty break and talk it out.” he said firmly, putting the leash handle in Suisei’s good hand. As the pair stepped off of the path, staying together and leaving Kakashi’s sight behind a wall of wild growing smooth hydrangea, he let out a breath.  He listened to the sounds around him, moving a fingerless gloved hand to smooth down the prickle along his neck.

 

-

 

 

Each manning a separate tree, both Urushi and Suisei let out a small sigh as they relieved themselves. “If I want to be buried so badly...” Suisei brought up, glancing over his shoulder as he finished. “What, you’ll put me in the ground yourself?” he teased, challenging his dog. Urushi wiped his back paws through the dirt and gave a sharp head shake with a play sneeze, jumping up and putting his front paws on Suisei’s shoulders.

 

“With only your head sticking out.” the dog finished finally. The weight of the dog's body pushed Suisei to the ground and he dropped onto his butt. Walking around three times and twisting the leash around him, Urushi sat down beside the boy. Suisei leaned against him, mindful not to bother the dressings under his vest and Urushi licked the top of the boy’s forehead. “You don’t wait for me specifically to be out of commission, do you?” he asked firmly. “Because I had a sprain in my hip when you-” 

 

Suisei averted his gaze and shook his head. “No, Urushi. I wasn’t... trying to be bad, I just...”

 

“You didn’t think.” he replied. Humans didn’t typically have audible whines, but the ears of a canine could pick up on the low whistling in Suisei’s throat. His arms gave the leash a flex, trying to free himself, but when Urushi leaned back against him, he stopped wiggling. “You’re going to get yourself killed, Suisei. I need you to stop that.” 

 

Cricket chirps filled the air between them, more words unnecessary on the matter. Urushi could tell by the way he didn’t rush to explain himself that the message was received, and not just by one ninja terrier. Instead, he nodded and hung his head. That was almost too solemn for the bouncy boy, even with the serious talk. Twitching his ear, he looked ahead of them. In a perfect chance to keep the boy’s mood up and reassure their bond, there was a rabbit.

 

Leaning his head over, the donut pushed Suisei’s chin and made him look up. When he saw it, he began to crouch. The leash became lax around him and Urushi grabbed it slowly with a careful tug to free him.  Sitting back with it by his feet, he watched his pup begin to use chakra to muffle the sound of his movements, crawling across the ground on his belly. Good boy. 

 

The white light of the moon did no favors for the rabbit as a flash ambushed it. The rabbit kicked with all its might and heaved a few heavy breaths until it finally blinked a shining eye open, flexing its nose. Two fingers brushed between a pair of ears that slowly lifted in confusion as Suisei walked back to Urushi. “She’s so little, she must be from this spring.” he whispered. He unzipped a zipper pocket in the chest of his coat, sliding her in so her head and front paws hung out. Her nose kept twitching as she looked around, eying the dog nervously

 

“Isn’t rabbit your favorite?” Urushi questioned, watching the boy pet the tiny thing’s head once more before picking up his leash and scratching under the ninken’s jaw. Urushi’s back leg wobbled just once before he took off, pulling him along back to the path.

“Yeah, but I don't wanna cook tonight. I think I could get some fried chicken if I ask politely.” he responded, running to keep up. “Hey, don't be so crazy! Slow down, Uru-ru.” he pleaded. The dog slowed to a trot that was much easier to keep up with and Suisei broke into soft giggles. “Thank you. I like your donut.” he said, finally mentioning it. 

 

“I know this was your evil doing.” Urushi huffed, slowing further to walk beside Suisei as they approached Kakashi again. He lifted his head up, looking at his owner expectantly. Kakashi knelt down and scooped him up, letting him settle himself over his shoulder. “Pup caught a bunny. He’d like fried chicken in exchange for her life.”

 

“Uru!” Suisei pleaded, his turn to huff. He put his hands on his hips and turned his back to both of them. Slowly, he turned his head back. “I mean, same idea, but I wasn't going to make it a hostage trade off! She’s too cute and little to eat. Maybe if she was born last spring.”

 

After he watched his son free the small bunny back into the white flowers, Kakashi chuckled softly.  Taking a step forward, he then took his son’s hand, continuing on their walk home. “Fried chicken is kind of gross. But I think we’re on the same page about getting something at the Family Mart.”

 

“Famichicki!” he cheered anyway, swinging his cast up. Kakashi glanced down at him to catch his eye, and Suisei lowered his cast into the sling around his neck. Swinging the hand clasped with his, he looked up. “Dad, let’s share some oden instead.” he suggested. 

 

Kakashi thought for a moment. “It’s a little warm out for hot soup, I don't think they’ll have it out.”

 

The smaller of the father and son duo pursed his lips and wrinkled his nose. “Oh, yeah, mhm. Good point. How about ramen instead, that may be a better choice.” he raised his eyebrows at his father. “That’s not hot soup or anything.”

 

“Hey, you’re getting really sassy with me again.” Kakashi said, trying to hide his laughter. That was a very fair point. When did his son become so funny? He tugged him closer with a freed chuckle. “Yes, we can get oden if they have it out. We’ll bring Urushi home and get him settled, then we’ll take a walk.”

 

-

 

Kakashi peeked over his son’s head, taking a look at the bowl he was filling with daikon slices. “Hey, add some more protein. Look, there’s octopus and I want an egg and shirataki noodles.” he said. To the gentle Hatake's delight, it was self-serve since there was no one to man the odenya in the off-season.

 

“Yuck.” Suisei muttered, reaching tongs into the hot broth to add the requested items. He hovered them above the submerged boxes before picking out a piece of konbu, hanpen and a mochi kinchaku.

 

“Yuck? You ate my egg last time, you like oden eggs.” Kakashi reminded him. With Suisei only operating with one wing, he stepped in to ladle in the rest of the broth and put a lid over the bowl so he could go pay and they could have dinner. “Get some chopsticks and karashi, please.” he added.

 

“Slander.” Suisei denied as he picked up the condiments and utensils, fully aware that his Dad was right. While his old man waited in line, he paused and made a detour into the baked good aisle. As he crouched down in front of the rows of freshly packaged baked goods, he felt a presence behind him. He looked over, sliding his head and shoulder back, avoiding a pale hand flicking his ear in a friendly greeting. 

 

The other boy was actually much younger than him but because clones aged differently, they were now both seven-going-on-eight. He was one of the many identical clones of a man called Shin Uchiha, but they were all given the task of picking their own names. “Edgar!” he greeted, looking back at the rows of snacks. “Help me look for something that says ‘Melon Bread.”

 

Red eyes lifted to the top row, since the other boy was looking low. “Thanks for remembering my name.” he responded evenly. He reached his hand down, tapping his friend’s shoulder and pointing out the round pastry. “Is there melon in the bread?” he asked, taking one and looking at the small letters. Round pupils grew points as a triangle opened up within his eyes. Edgar began shaking his head. “There is no melon.”

 

“Nope, no melon. Crunchy cookie crust, soft bread guts. It’s good stuff, want to try one?” Suisei offered, grabbing a second when the other boy nodded. He stood up, taking a momentary look at his friend’s sharingan. It was intense to see in person, but he’d only used it to read fast. That gave him an idea. “Hey, you and your brother went with Edgar and Poe from the poet, right? You must both like to read a lot.”

Edgar turned his head as he put the package he was holding back down, reaching his hand out to tap Suisei’s shoulder again. “Poe wants people to know she’s a girl, actually.”

“You and your sister, then.” Suisei amended. “Some of the other kids from the playground and I have this book club. We pick something to read together and then meet to talk about it and just hang out. You should both come.” he invited. He considered if Edgar might need help getting a library card, but they could cross that bridge later. Worst case scenario, he’d just check out two extra copies under his card. 

 

Edgar thought for a moment. “I’ll go, and I’m sure Poe will too. It’s you, Jade and Himawari, right?” he asked as they stepped into line. Suisei poked his head to the side of the line and shook his head, pointing his finger to himself before the boy with hair as white as his looked back at him, nodding.

 

“Plus another girl named Yuina, and when I see him again, I’m going to invite a new kid from the Sand Village.”  Suisei added enthusiastically. The line moved quickly and the Rokudaime waited to the side patiently while his son dug a coin purse out of his jacket.  Leaning forward, he tapped his boy’s shoulder, making him turn his head. However, he stepped out of Suisei’s line of vision and reached his hand over, dropping a few extra coins onto the counter.  The ringing of metal clanging and spinning made Suisei  turn his head to the other direction, but his Dad had stepped back to his original spot. 

 

Edgar watched the quick movements and smooth way the previous hokage moved even in such a simple setting. Thinking about it, he was the Hokage that trained the one he tried to fight in battle. Shutting his eyes, he could almost imagine the unbridled power that was contained behind the hissing fox he had seen. Before his thoughts could return again to the battlefield, a crinkling wrapper was pressed against him.

 

“Earth to Edgar.” Suisei called, leaning his hand forward and completing a successful ear flick. “Enjoy. I’ll see you at the book  club.” Red eyes, which had returned to their base form, blinked and the child glanced between his friend and his dad before shyly bowing, thanking his friend for the treat before running away.

 

Kakashi glanced between his son and the running boy.  “Was he the Shin Uchiha clone you were telling me about?” he asked. Always the friendly one, it seemed that Suisei befriended a couple of the refugee children. Yet, the boy had fled.

 

Suisei shook his head. “No. That was Poe’s brother Edgar.” He looked up at his Dad, pausing for a moment to read an unworded inquiry. “He’s a little bit scared of you, I think.” he started. Kakashi raised his eyebrows in surprise. The pair began to walk back up the dirt path that led through their sizable property.

 

“Of me?” he asked. Finding a bench that had not been so much placed but grown along the foot path, the older man sat down, watching his son climb up onto the bench with him so they could share the hot pot to go. “I wonder why. I’m not too scary, am I?” he pressed. He pulled down his face covering just far enough to bite the bundle of shirataki noodles.

 

“Only when your mask is down.” Suisei dug, letting out an airy giggle. He reached his bound hand out to pat his Dad on the face when he frowned at him. “I’m joking, don’t pout at me. That’s a role reversal, I’m calling the police.”

 

“You’re calling your sensei?” Kakashi asked. Suisei cut several pieces of daikon into fourths, starting to eat them one by one. Joining in, Kakashi took one too and watched his son chew thoughtfully.

 

“Actually,” he started, swallowing his mouthful and picking up his soft hanpen triangle, lifting it whole to nibble the corner. “Akamaru and Akemaru came to pick me up. That makes them my actual senseis.” he informed, nodding in a way to imply he was wise beyond his years. Yeah right. Kakashi reached his hand up, ruffling soft white hair that grew down.

 

“Is that so? Well then, lucky you to have three. It’s usually the other way around.” He picked up the small karashi packet, cracking it open along the perforation. The spicy mustard was especially good on the slices of soft daikon, adding heat back to the stewed radish. After cooking for so long, the root vegetable became mildly sweet and soft.  “You know,” he began, catching Suisei’s attention. “In Suna, the oden is completely different. The base is sweet and there’s cabbage wrapped around mochi paste.” he said, tapping the Konoha version with his chopstick.

 

Suisei looked at the mochi kinchaku, reaching out to poke it too. “When were you in The Hidden Sand with enough time to go to a konbini? Arent your missions .. I don't know, more urgent?”

 

“I do eat every day, and they're convenient.” Kakashi pointed out. Suisei held up a quarter of daikon, waiting patiently as his parent dosed out a much smaller dollop of karashi.

 

“Nah.” the boy decided, shaking his head. “You're a robot.” 

 

“Yeah?” Kakashi drolled. Where had that come from? He smiled gently, leaning his head down to take a sip of the hot broth. Suisei always added too many daikon, and the broth was a little bit sweeter because of it. 

 

Around a full mouth, Suisei nodded and tried to speak. “Yeah.” he confirmed as he chewed, leaning down to imitate his Dad and take a sip of the hot broth.

 

“Son.” Kakashi began carefully, playfully moving his hand to rest on the child’s shoulder.  “You can not tell a robot they're a robot. You'll make them self destruct.” he said gravely, but he found himself being prodded with the back of chopsticks along his ribs. “What are you doing?” Eventually the wood stopped over his heart and he was poked more firmly. “Hey.”

 

“Computer:” Suisei played. “Paradox override.” An easy smile and genuine looking relief crossed his face with a sigh. “You'll be ok, Dad. I pushed your explosion deactivate button in time. I read your manual.” he said matter-of-factly. 

 

Amused eyes looked upwards at the starry sky above them. “Thank you, pup. Always looking out for me.”

 

“I’ll always have your back, if I can help it.” he announced proudly, pointing up at his face with his chopsticks before pointlessly trying to outspeed him, racing him for the egg. However, Kakashi got it first, holding it up victoriously for only a moment before it was submerged in the rich broth and cut in half. He picked up one hand and waited for his son to fish out the other half from the broth. Both Hatake held it up and briefly tapped the sides of the egg into each other before eating it.

 

“I told you, you like eggs. “ Kakashi said. At least tonight, he didn't lose the whole thing. Frustratingly, his son continued to deny what he had just seen.

 

“No I don't, I only like the kinds you pick out.” he mumbled, poking his chopsticks around to gather some stray shirataki noodles.

 

“You picked it!” Kakashi pointed out.  He handed the bowl over, watching Suisei tilt it back to drink more of the broth now that it was almost done. The boy merely shrugged, so Kakashi would save that battle for some other time. In the meantime, as Suisei finished the remaining oden, they stood up to  return to the house. “Anyway, come on. Bedtime.” Kakashi leaned down to hook his finger around the white plastic bag’s handle, dangling it just high enough to make Suisei jump at least twice.

 

Finally snatching it on a third jump, Suisei let out a delighted gasp as he examined the contents. “Walnut mochi!” he proclaimed. “Oh, and the really good canned coffee, are these so I can go camping tomorrow?” he asked.  Kakashi only had to nod before Suisei was jumping up into his arms and squeezing his arms around his neck. Kakashi caught him, having expected the animated reaction. 

 

“Thanks Dad.” he sighed, yawning in his ear and settling his head down on Kakashi’s as the worn out tot was carried the rest of the way home. “You’re the best!” 

 

After returning to the house, Suisei took his bath and changed into a dark blue and white spotted jinbei. “Can I go eat my melon bread outside before I brush my teeth?” Suisei had asked. He wanted to stargaze right before bed. It always seemed to make his dreams more exciting somehow. 

 

With permission granted, Suisei walked out the front door, going and sitting on a garden swing in a carefully tended flowerbed. Kakashi trailed behind, having also bathed and changed into a matching dark blue, white spotted jinbei.  From the edge of the fence where he was leaning, he could see Suisei made a face at his treat, lowering it and groaning. “It’s soggy !” He spat. Kakashi lowered the orange book he had not had a moment to crack open. 

 

“Mm? Oh, that’s a bummer.  I’ll bring one home tomorrow from the bakery on my way home.” Kakashi offered, watching him rip bits off and feed them to a handful of gathering canines.  It was off of their strict diet but he’d long given up making the baby stop sharing.

 

“But what about Edgar? I really hope his isn’t all gross too.” He bemoaned. “I didn’t even squish’em to see if it was soft or hard!”

 

“Maa, maa.” he started. His son, who was becoming upset, sniffed and looked up to his father’s soothing call. “It’s a dud snack. I’m sure he understands the difference, and that’s only if his was a stinker too.” he reasoned. However, the way the boy’s eyes were pricking with tears made the man wonder what the real reason was. If he gave Suisei some time and some silence, Kakashi knew his son would open up.

 

 So, he sat next to his little one, watching his pack begin to accept the little treats less frequently as he was watching closer. Bisque and Buru were the only ones to stick around to finish the bread, though he could see there was at least a fist full being reserved as Suisei put the wrapper in his pocket. If he were to wager a guess, he was going to try to offer it to Urushi, who was resting in a quiet room inside. 

 

“I don't...Want him to think I was playing a prank on him.... “ 

 

“No, those kinds of pranks aren't your style. I don't think he would assume you-”

 

“But they’re other people’s style.” Suisei interrupted. 

 

Kakashi understood. It was something he had concerns about regarding the rescued lab children. At least his son seemed to be on the right side of the fence when it came to bullies. “I see. Would it help if I brought back two, instead?” he offered. Suisei shook his head, getting off of the swing when his Dad stood up, walking back inside.

 

“Three.” he bargained, causing Kakashi to raise his eyebrow. He waited quietly, letting Suisei fill the silence with further explanation. “One for Edgar and one for Poe. They’re going to be twins from now on. Poe’s also a girl, not a boy.” he explained, all the while Kakashi nodded along. “I hope they both come to the book club.” He pulled the last bite out of the wrapper in his pocket as he stepped into the sun room, where the dog beds were. Though he was sleepy from his medicine, Urushi accepted the gifted treat as well as a loving scratch under his donut collar. 

 

“Did you tell them when and where you meet?” Kakashi probed. The wide and freshly tear filled eyes looking up at him said that Suisei had forgotten. Kakashi sighed softly, shaking his head with a small concealed smile. “Don’t worry. I’ll help out.” 

Series this work belongs to: