Actions

Work Header

A Dragon's Mate

Summary:

Caroline Forbes finds herself kidnapped by a dragon. A very sexy dragon. Who swears to already know her. If only she could remember the village she spent the past four years calling home.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

 

Caroline’s excited. At least, that’s what she tells herself as her carriage rapidly approaches the Lockwood’s castle. The castle of her betrothed. How did she even get here? Her memories of the last couple years were fuzzy, but she knew her family wasn’t of high enough standing to warrant her marriage to nobility. She’s just a girl from a small village, one far removed from civilization, though they moved when she was sixteen. Where had they moved to again?

There are several screams from outside the carriage and Caroline sticks her head out the window to see a flap of wings overhead.

Dragon.

There was a dragon outside and here she was, sitting in a wooden carriage. She was probably dead, if she didn’t get out of here. She grabs the door handle, determined to flee, when the carriage rocks around her and begins to move upward. The dragon was taking her carriage. She sticks her head out the window again and sees the carriage driver and horses still on the ground. The ground that was rapidly getting farther away. It was too late for her to leave this cursed carriage. She was stuck, unless she wanted to fall to her death. Caroline still seriously considers it, but her hand freezes on the handle and she focuses on keeping warm in the chill upper air.

It’s ages before the carriage is set down on solid ground again, in the middle of a castle courtyard that felt familiar, even though she swore she’d never seen it before. She stays hidden in the carriage, waiting for her captor to drag her out when she hears human voices. “Did you find her?” A woman’s voice says. “Tell me she’s alright.”

“I found her, and I haven’t had a chance to check yet, Bekah,” a tired man’s voice answers.

“I can’t believe you lost her in the first place,” a second man’s voice says, sneering. “Really, your one true love and you lose her? You’re pathetic, Nik.” She hears the second man double over in pain, presumably from a punch to the gut. She’s not looking out to check though.

“Are you sure she’s inside there?” The woman’s voice sneers. “I thought she’d be at least a little happy to see us all again.” That settled it, this was a case of mistaken identity, since Caroline was sure she’d never heard those voices before in her life.

The door to her carriage flies open and a blonde man, maybe a few years older than her, with bright blue eyes is standing there. “I know you hate flying, love,” he says in a cajoling manner, “I thought the carriage would make it preferable.” Caroline’s just shaking in fear, unable to move. This man was the dragon that took her, in human form. It was unfair that a monster looked hot. He moves to climb in. “Love, what’s wrong? Caroline,” he says and she jumps in surprise, how did he know her name? “Caroline, tell me what’s wrong,” he says, taking her face between his hands. Caroline stares into the bright blue of his eyes for a few moments, before her eyes roll back in her head and everything goes black.

 

Caroline hates her new village. They spend too much time fawning over the local nobility. The only person she likes is her new friend Enzo, though she had to punch him when they first met to make it clear she didn’t want to sleep with him. He gets the message after that, and spends their time introducing her to all the hidden parts of the forest. “Why is everyone so obsessed with your nobles here?” She says, kicking her feet on a log once they are far enough away from the village that no one else would hear.

“They aren’t nobles,” Enzo says, eyes sparkling with something wicked. “They’re dragons.”

 

Caroline comes to in the most plush bed she’s seen in her life, to see the dragon man staring at her from the corner. “You don’t remember me,” he says flatly and she shakes her head. She had dreamed of a man named Enzo, and that certainly wasn’t who was in front of her. The man in front of her wasn’t even really a man.

“I’m not sure I believe that there’s anything to remember,” she admits and he sighs, running a hand through his hair.

“There’s a great deal for you to remember.” He stands up and comes over to her, sitting next to her on the bed and threading a hand through her hair. Caroline can’t help but wince at the familiarity and the man looks pained.

“Who are you?” She whispers and he removes his hand from her hair.

“You’ve always called me Nik, but the name most people know me by is Klaus,” he says and she freezes. Klaus was the dragon terror of the continent, capable of taking it over whenever it suited his whims. But he’d been silent for a few years, if the gossip Caroline had heard on her trip to Lockwood castle was to be believed. Her breathing turns erratic as she panics, remembering some of the horror stories surrounding Klaus. Klaus grabs her shoulders in what he intends to be a soothing motion. “Please, calm down, love.”

“Don’t touch me,” she snaps, scrambling away from him on the bed. Klaus looks pained again and removes himself entirely from the bed as he watches her force her breathing to normal with a sorrowful expression.

“Do you have any idea who took your memories?” He asks once she’s calmed down and she shakes her head. “Do you believe me that you have some memories missing?”

“Something’s missing,” she admits in a quiet voice. “I can barely remember the last village I called home.”

“That village is right outside these castle gates,” he promises, heat in his voice, “I’ll take you on a tour there.” Caroline just shakes her head, not wanting to go anywhere with the strange man. Dragon. “Very well, perhaps you’ll prefer Rebekah’s company.”

Caroline sincerely doubts it, and curls up on her side as he leaves, letting her tears cry her to sleep.

 

Enzo sneaks her into the castle several times, but she’s yet to meet any of the dragons there besides Kol, who seems utterly delighted with everything Enzo says and does. Which she sort of gets, Enzo was funny, but not that funny. Kol has his arm around Enzo, kicking his feet up on the couch in his room one day, when his interest turns to Caroline. “Nik’s been avoiding you.”

“Nik? You mean Klaus?” She asks, bemused. “I’m pretty sure I’m not important enough to avoid.”

Kol’s smile turns wicked. “You’d think that, wouldn’t you? He thinks you’re pretty, that’s his reasoning for not meeting you.”

Caroline can’t help but laugh. “That’s ridiculous, Kol. Why would a dragon avoid meeting someone he found pretty?” 

Enzo freezes beside Kol, but Kol ignores him, for once. “You’re just so young, darling. It makes him feel like an old man, your youth.”

“How old are you guys, anyway?” She asks, settling herself on Enzo’s other side.

“Oh, Bekah and I are a bit younger, but Nik’s almost a millennia old by now,” he says, waving off her concerns. Kol leers at her next. “You make him feel like a dirty old man.”

 

Caroline can scarcely believe she’s having dreams of knowing dragons, but that’s what she remembers when she wakes up, after midnight, in that same plush bed she’d fallen asleep in. Klaus is nowhere to be seen, and neither is anyone else. Maybe, if they really used to be friends, they’d let her roam the castle. She wanted to see if the Kol in her dreams matched the voice she’d heard outside her carriage yesterday. She sees a servant hovering outside her door. “I want to talk to Kol,” she tells the servant firmly, who looks surprised but motions for her to follow. She’s led straight to the room she saw in her dreams, a man splayed out on the bed, asleep. The servant lets her in anyway and closes the door with a heavy thud behind her. “Kol?” She asks hesitantly and the man on the bed stirs, but she jumps when a voice speaks form behind her instead. 

“Yes, darling?” That same voice Kol had in her dream asks behind her and she whips around to see him. Her friend. Kol.

Caroline brings him in for a hug. “Oh, Kol! Thank goodness!”

He pulls back after a moment, a sad smile on his face. “I thought you didn’t remember us.”

“I’ve started to have dreams,” she admits. “You and Enzo are in them.”

“You hear that, Enzo?” Kol calls over her shoulder to the man on the bed, “Caroline does remember you!”

The man on the bed jumps up and it’s only then that Caroline realizes he’s stark naked. “Please cover yourself,” she says when Enzo goes to hug her, “and please promise I’ve never seen you naked before.”

Enzo wraps the sheet around his waist before hugging her fiercely. “Sorry, Gorgeous. You’ve walked in on me and Kol before.”

“That is so much worse,” she says with a laugh, hugging him back as tears stream down her face.

“It’s so late, what are you doing up, darling? Humans need sleep,” Kol says, concern etched into his face. “Bekah will be very cross if you miss breakfast with her tomorrow.”

“I don’t remember a Bekah,” Caroline admits hesitantly. “And I don’t want to sleep all the time.”

“But if your memories are coming back in your dreams…” Enzo says, finally releasing her from the hug.

“Stay here,” Kol suggests, “sleep with us. Maybe it will hasten your memories back.”

Caroline glances at the bed. “Yeah, something tells me that bed isn’t exactly clean. What if you guys came to my room?”

Enzo and Kol exchange a look before they both start to laugh. “You don’t have a room, darling,” Kol says, wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.

“But when I woke up…”

“That was Nik’s room,” Kol says, still laughing, and Caroline can feel herself turning bright red.

“I don’t remember him and he still put me in his bedroom?” She says, scandalized.

Kol steers her toward the door. "Go back to sleep, darling, and yell at Nik in the morning for being too forward."

"But-" Caroline starts to protest, as Enzo’s laughing behind her.

"Go to sleep, Caroline," Kol tells her firmly, shoving her out the door where the waiting servant catches her. "Don't let her out until she’s gotten plenty of rest," Kol orders the man, who guides Caroline down the hall.

"I hate you for this," Caroline complains.

"You've said that before and you'll say it again, I have no doubt," Kol calls to her retreating back.

 

“Kol, who’s the harlot that’s been hanging with you and your toy lately?” A woman’s voice calls out, approaching the kitchen where Kol, Enzo, and Caroline were stuffing their faces with sweets. It had been over a year since she moved to the village, and she and Enzo had been invited up to the castle by Kol much more frequently lately. Kol was so lax with etiquette, but she wasn’t sure if the other dragons, Kol’s siblings, were as lax. Or if they demanded more subservience. 

“One, I’ve told you a thousand times Enzo isn’t a toy,” Kol bites out, “but as to whether Caroline’s a harlot,” he says, smirking at her wickedly, ”jury’s still out.”

“I am not!” Caroline says, scandalized, just as a blonde woman who appeared her age entered the room. She says appeared her age, because if this was Kol’s sister, Rebekah, then she was at least seven centuries old. She bows to the girl. "Nice to meet you."

Rebekah sniffs. "Don't bother bowing at all if you're not going to do it right." Caroline's bow creases, she thought she had bowed correctly. If only Kol didn't refuse to teach her court etiquette, claiming it was boring. Rebekah turns to Kol. "She's the one who-"

Kol hurriedly cuts his sister off. "She's the one Nik is avoiding, yes."

"Yeah, you going to tell me what that's about?" Caroline asks, amused. "I still can't believe your brother knows I exist."

Rebekah sniffs again. "He knows. And you should know how to carry yourself properly, if you are going to visit us this often. Come now, I'll give you lessons."

"Really!??!" Caroline jumps up, excited and hugs the other girl before she can think better of it.

Rebekah awkwardly pats her back. "I already regret knowing you, but yes. Maybe I'll regret your presence less if you have some manners."

"Thank you!!" Caroline exclaims, stepping back from the other blonde.

 

Caroline wakes up in Klaus’s room again, this time to a pounding on the door. "Wake up already! I trained you better than to be late, it's rude!" Rebekah's voice calls out through the door.

"I literally just remembered that I even know you, excuse me for not remembering every etiquette lesson," Caroline shouts back before she can think better of it. She slowly gets up, draping the blanket around her shoulders and opens the door. "Hi, Rebekah."

Rebekah hasn't aged a day from Caroline’s memories, though the lack of surety seems new. "You remember Nik yet?"

"Nope," Caroline pops the 'p'. "He did mention that you could show me around the village, though."

"Breakfast first, you mortals need food," Rebekah says, grabbing Caroline’s hand and dragging her along.

Caroline laughs. "I barely remember how dragons work, do you even need to eat?"

"Oh, we eat far more than we seem capable of," Rebekah says sagely as they arrive at the dining room to a table laden with food. "But starvation can't kill us, no."

"What can kill you?" Caroline asks, then realizes that was probably not a good question to ask a stranger, let alone one as paranoid as dragons reputedly were.

"Very funny," Rebekah lets out a quick laugh. "I'm not having that talk with you again."

That makes Caroline pause filling up her plate. Why was she important enough to this family that they'd tell her in the first place? "Why would you tell me in the first place?" Caroline asks, a touch hysterically.

“And I thought you’d been handling this so well,” Rebekah says, sounding put out. “I thought you were smarter than this, to be able to figure out what you meant to us even with your memories missing.”

“The missing memories include everything I know about dragons that isn’t just hearsay!” Caroline shoots back and Rebekah pouts.

“Just eat your food, dear. I’ll show you around the village after we eat.”

 

It felt weird to be meeting people who clearly already knew her when she visits the village. She asks an eldery woman by the name of Fell how long they’d known each other. “Oh, four years now. You were just a wee little thing when you moved here,” the woman says, pinching Caroline’s cheek, “barely 16, and still the prettiest girl around. When you disappeared a few months ago, I had just assumed you had moved into the castle full time and forgot about us little folk.”

“I mean, I did forget,” Caroline says, abashed she can’t remember this kind woman. “But why would I have moved into the castle?”

“Oh, Ms Fell, don’t you need to check on your granddaughter?” Rebekah says quickly and the old lady nods, already ambling off.

“What are you keeping from me?” Caroline accuses the other blonde.

“It’s not that I don’t want you to know,” Rebekah says placatingly, “I just think it’ll be better if you find out from Nik himself. And not from hearsay around the village.”

“Am I the subject of gossip, then?”

Rebekah looks at her like she’s crazy. “Of course! What part of ‘you disappeared three months ago and just now reappeared missing half your memories’ doesn't invite gossip?”

“Fair enough,” Caroline admits and lets Rebekah lead her up to the castle again, where they settle in for dinner, joined by Kol and Enzo. She hadn’t seen Klaus since she woke up the day before in his bed, and suspected he was avoiding her. But why?

 

Caroline’s pushed up against the wall by the hard planes of Klaus’s body, his hands roving her hair as they greedily take each other’s mouths. When his mouth travels down her jaw line, nipping at her neck, she takes a few steadying breaths. “I think I love you,” she gasps out as he rocks against her.

He pulls back to stare into her eyes, deep pits of blue that seemed to see into her soul. “I know I love you,” he finally says once he’s done staring at her, and she pulls him back in to continue their kiss, groaning at the feel of him hard against her.

 

Caroline wakes up with a start, still in Klaus’s bed, ridiculously horny. She gasps as she sorts through the dream and her realizations. She had just dreamed of the first time she told him she loved him. Even more shocking, Klaus, the Klaus that just kidnapped her, the Klaus that was the dragon terror of the continent, loved her. If only she could remember why she loved him in the first place.

Her hand reaches down toward her clit and Caroline debates stopping herself. This was still technically a stranger’s bed. But based on her dream, she’d probably done the deed with Klaus in this very bed before, so she gives in to her baser desires and begins to touch herself. Thumb circling her clit, she conjures up Klaus’s face, his voice, the wild look in his eyes as he touched her, like he couldn’t get enough. Would never get enough.

Plunging her first two fingers into her opening, she gasps as she pictures his plump lips, red from kissing her, and strokes her walls to the feel of his tongue inside her mouth. The bright blue of his eyes as they darted toward her exposed neckline guides her other hand to fondle her breasts, pinching a nipple at the thought of his teeth doing the same. 

Did he have fangs? 

The thought only makes her hotter, and she knows the answer is yes. That she’d experienced them before, probably in this very room. Groaning, her back arches upward as she strokes herself close to orgasm, nearly mindless with need over just the thought of him. And when relief washes over her, spine tingling and toes curling, she sighs out his name, a prayer on her lips.

 

The first time she meets Klaus, she’s eighteen, and it’s clear Kol had done his best to avoid the confrontation. Because it was a confrontation. “What is she doing here?” Klaus snarls out and Caroline’s immediately offended.

“I’m here all the time!”

“It’s my castle,” Klaus says, refusing to look at her, “Kol and Bekah are just squatters here. They can’t just invite you whenever it pleases them.”

“Rude, Nik. It’s almost like you’re looking forward to nesting and kicking me and Bekah out like Elijah and Finn did,” Kol shoots back.

Caroline ignores Kol’s comment, and Klaus’s look of shock, saying instead: “I swear, I think I’m in your castle more than you are. I’ve been coming here for almost two years now and I’ve never seen you.”

“There’s a reason for that,” Klaus is glowering as he speaks, but is staring directly at her feet.

“Well what is it?” She says, getting in his face, forcing him to look at her. She pulls back in shock at the obvious want on his face as he drinks in the sight of her.

Klaus is moving past her before she can react. “If you really don’t want to be kicked out by another brother, stop bringing her by,” he tells Kol who glares daggers at his back.

 

Caroline wakes up and decides Enzo’s her best bet for answers, if she can just get him alone. She stops by Kol’s room first, and of course, Enzo’s still there. Buck naked, again. “I want to talk to you,” she tells him as she shoves him awake. “Get dressed, I’m tired of seeing your dick.”

“Yeah, pretty sure you’ve already committed to only seeing one dick from now on, hate to tell Klaus you keep ogling mine,” Enzo says with a yawn and Caroline freezes.

“Klaus and I are engaged? Is that what everyone has been keeping from me?”

“What?” Enzo drapes the blanket over himself in an attempt at modesty. “Why on earth would you think a dragon would follow human marriage customs?”

“I still don’t remember how dragons work!” She shoots back at him.

“Right,” Enzo says with another smothered yawn. “No, you two aren’t engaged. Last thing you told me before you disappeared was you wanted your father’s permission to marry him. Now tell me,” he says eagerly, leaning forward. “What did you dream?”

Caroline turns red, remembering her first dream. The one that led her to orgasm. “Nope, no way.”

“Aw, come now, Gorgeous. You’ve walked in on me and Kol going at it, surely you can give me the saucy details?”

Caroline wracks her brain, remembering her second dream. “Klaus already had a thing for me, the first time I met him. Why?”

“That’s not really my place to say….” Enzo trails off with a wince and Caroline smacks his shoulder.

“I remember you well enough to know you’ve never listened to propriety or rules in your life,” she tells him and he laughs.

“Maybe I’m just trying to earn my keep here. It’s Klaus’s castle.”

That triggers another of Caroline’s memories. “Well, what’s nesting and why would Klaus kick Kol and Rebekah out for it?”

Enzo fails to stifle another yawn. “Mated pairs of dragons tend to go at it non-stop once they decide to have little baby terrors. Kol told me all three of them lived with their brother Elijah until he got mated.”

Caroline’s face falls. “So Klaus needs to mate with another dragon.”

Enzo laughs at that, before taking in her face. “No, Gorgeous. Not how it works. Though I am interested why you already care if he’s seeing someone else, for a girl who claims to barely remember him.” Caroline glares at him but can’t hide the flush of her cheeks. “A dragon’s mate is a dragon. Regardless of what species they began as.”

“So you just marry a dragon and all of a sudden you are one?” She asks, a little scandalized. Dragons sounded frankly ridiculous.

“Nope, mates are different from husbands or wives,” Enzo says with a chuckle. “But you'll have to ask your lover for more than that, Kol’s been pretty cagey on the subject with me.”

“So you aren’t Kol’s…..mate?” Caroline says, grimacing around the word.

“Pretty sure Kol’s not old enough for the nesting instinct to kick in yet, so no, Gorgeous, I’m not Kol’s mate.”

Caroline sighs and settles onto the bed next to Enzo. “So what other species can a dragon’s mate start as?”

“Hmm, Elijah’s mate was an incubus,” he says after a moment of thought. “Never met her though, I heard she and Klaus hate each other.” Caroline fails to stifle a yawn and Enzo laughs. “Feel free to fall asleep on me, you know. Since it seems like your memories come back in your dreams.”

“Nope,” Caroline says, shaking her head and getting up, “I’m going to see if I can corner Klaus, get him to talk to me.”

“Aw come on, let’s at least go to breakfast first,” Enzo complains as she shuts the door behind her.

 

She manages to find Klaus in the castle’s library, staring blankly at the fire. “We’re a couple,” she says when his eyes flit to hers, filled with sorrow.

“It’s a bit more serious than that,” he says with a short laugh, “but yes, sweetheart, we are.”

“Enzo said the last thing I told him before disappearing was about asking my father for permission to marry you,” she says as she selects the chair farthest from him in the room, allowing them to still look at each other.

Klaus looks shocked. “I didn’t know that. Enzo’s known that this whole time?”

“Hey, don’t blame him, ok? Maybe I asked him not to tell you,” she says immediately and he nods. It’s several moments before either speaks again. “So did you want to marry me?”

“Still do,” Klaus says firmly. “I wouldn’t have rescued you from your impending nuptials if that wasn’t the case.”

Caroline lets out a snort. “Yeah, you call it ‘rescuing’, I call it ‘kidnapping’, particularly since I still barely remember you.”

“What do you remember?” He asks, leaning forward intent on her face.

She stammers for a few moments before answering. “I remember when I first met you, and Kol, and Rebekah. Mostly just that, plus a few memories of Enzo before I started coming to the castle.” She shifts uncomfortably for a few seconds, unwilling to admit her steamy dream, when another thought occurs to her. “So why did you avoid me when I first moved here? What memories am I missing that explain why you didn’t want me around?” She asks him.

Klaus sighs and runs a hand through his hair. “The moment I saw you, I knew…..”

“That I was your mate?” She asks and he nods warily. “So why not say anything?”

“You were so young, are still so young,” Klaus says with a grimace, “I didn’t want to take any choices away from you.”

“Do you not have a choice?” She says, concerned for him all of a sudden. “What happens to you if I say no?”

Klaus lets out a strained chuckle. “It’s not like that. If you reject me, I’ll eventually latch onto someone else. The thing is, I don’t want you to reject me.”

“What do you want?” She asks, voice barely a whisper.

“You.”

The need in his eyes is even more apparent than in her dream of them meeting, when he meets her eyes. “I spent all this time waiting for you, only to find out you were willing to marry me just before disappearing, and now, we’ve reset. You barely know me.”

Caroline’s brow furrows. “You don’t think my disappearance and memory loss and the fact that I wanted to marry you are a coincidence.”

“No, I don’t,” he says, shaking his head. “It’s being looked into now.”

Caroline’s surprised that Klaus wasn't investigating for himself, then decides that presents her with an opportunity. “So what all did you do to make me love you? Maybe you can court me again,” she says, smiling at him.

He grins back, less hesitant now than before, “Oh sweetheart, I’ll court the fuck out of you.”

 

Caroline’s had the best day of her life by the time she and Klaus stumble back into her bedroom, giggling on his arm. They’d gone swimming in the river on the other side of the forest, had a picnic in a clearing for lunch as they dried off, then in the afternoon he taught her how to shoot a bow in the castle courtyard. She’s staring at her bed, which was really his bed, debating how to ask him to stay.

Klaus stares around the room, his nostrils flaring wide. “You touched yourself in here.”

“You can smell that?” She says, hand over her face, “that’s mortifying.”

“I’m glad you felt comfortable enough to take care of your needs,” he says after a long moment of silence.

“Be extra glad,” she says, taking his hand and backing up until she's sitting on the bed, “since I touched myself to the thought of you.”

Klaus stands there, seemingly unwilling to join her. He takes a steadying breath, and Caroline can see the need on his face. “Even though you barely remember me?” He asks in a teasing voice and she laughs, pulling her legs up onto the bed.

“You’re super hot,” she admits without hesitation, “and I might have remembered more than I’d been willing to admit this morning.”

Klaus looks very interested in her statement. “What do you remember?”

“Telling you I loved you for the first time,” she says quietly, suddenly serious. “And getting hot and heavy against that wall,” she says, pointing behind him, and he laughs.

“Just that particular wall?” He says, still chuckling, “you have quite a few good times missing there.”

“Mmmhmm, you like walls, that’s good to know,” she says in a faux serious voice, grabbing his hands and tugging him toward her. Klaus stops just at the edge of the bed. “Do you not want to join me?” She asks hesitantly.

The way Klaus is eyeing her, he very much wants to rip her clothes off right then and there. “It’s not a good idea,” he admits and she’s disappointed.

“Then just sleep beside me,” she says instead, “maybe it’ll make my memories come back quicker.”

“Happily,” he says, pressing a kiss to her lips, before shrugging off his jacket and crawling onto the bed with her. She falls asleep with his arm draped across her front, hugging her toward him.

 

“What’s your problem with me?” Caroline shoves Klaus into a corner of the hallway when she catches up to him, away from his siblings. She might have asked Enzo to make sure Rebekah and Kol were otherwise occupied today for her confrontation with Klaus.

“I don’t have a problem with you,” he says, staring up at the ceiling to avoid looking at her.

“Then look at me when I talk to you,” she snaps, and he finally faces her, determination suddenly filling his face.

“Perhaps you shouldn’t order me around in my own castle, on my own lands, love,” he says, voice a low gravel as he walks toward her, forcing her to back up until she’s the one cornered, his body a hair’s breadth from hers, as she tries to shrink into the wall. “Did it occur to you that might not be wise, irritating a dragon?” His hands come up to cup her jaw and for a moment she thinks she miscalculated, that she’ll end up dead at his hands here and now.

She blinks at him, willing herself to go through on the rest of her plan. “I didn’t know you were so big on decorum,” she says quietly. “No one else here seems to care about etiquette.”

“I could have you on your knees before me,” he growls out, “for this slight. For your many slights.”

She realizes that the hands on her jaw are more of a caress and she suddenly feels brave again. “You want me on my knees in a different way,” she says, bringing her hands up to play with his belt and he practically jumps back in surprise. “Come now, Klaus. You want me to bite,” she says, swaying toward him, hands trailing up his shirt as his eyes go wide. “I won’t pretend to understand why, but you watch me with such lust in your eyes, I’d be blind not to notice.” She cups his jaw, mirroring how he’d had her pinned to the wall, and he takes several fortifying breaths. “Order me to your bed, Lord Niklaus,” she whispers, standing on her toes to whisper into his ear, “I’ll go happily. You know you want to.”

Klaus groans and tries to back up, only to find Caroline’s pushed him against the wall again. Clearly praying to whatever deity he believed in for patience, he takes a moment to reply, his words surprising her when they come out even. “Join me for dinner?”

 

Caroline wakes up with a start, curled into Klaus’s side. She had dreamed of the first time she really understood that he wanted her, the first time they got to know each other, over a dinner that lasted until the wee hours of the morning. Klaus, the Klaus of the present, hugs her tighter to his body. “What did you remember?” He asks, clearly wide awake.

“Our first dinner together,” she murmurs happily, nestling farther into him. “It was magical. How come we didn’t end the night in bed?”

“I guess you still don’t remember that part,” Klaus says with a chuckle. “You fell asleep on the couch in the library and I was forced to carry you to a guest room. Your father was most perturbed you didn’t return home that night. You told him you were nineteen and could do as you pleased when he showed up the next morning.”

“Hmmmm, the big bad dragon was trying to steal me away, of course he’d be upset,” she says, bringing her hand up to play with his hair.

“Trying?” He asks with a quirked brow and she laughs.

“Oh, succeeding, definitely.” She sits upright and throws one of her legs over Klaus’s abdomen so she’s sitting atop him. Leaning down so her hair brushes his chest, she says, “how is it I wake up every morning more interested in knowing you? And not just your body,” she promises as he starts to breath heavily.

“Sweetheart, you don’t-”

“I can’t take care of myself this morning, not with you right here. Help me relieve the need?” She says, hand playing with the top button of his shirt.

“Caroline, we can’t,” he says with labored breathing. “You don’t understand, you don’t remember….”

“I remember that I want you,” she says, not letting go of him. “I know I want you again now.”

Klaus grasps her hands to keep her from touching him. “You don’t remember what it means, to have sex with a dragon.”

“You guys can’t just have regular sex, for fun?” She asks and he looks hesitant.

“We can, just not with someone we want to claim. My magic is reaching for you, begging for a taste, and if we go there, I’ll lose control of it, and you’ll no longer have your choice.”

“My choice of what?” She whispers, matching his seriousness.

“Of whether to stay with me,” he gives her a chagrined smile, “of whether you want to spend an eternity bound to me, immortal as long as I am, sharing our bed, our blood, bearing my children.”

“Oh,” Caroline says, unsure what to make of his words. “So basically, we can’t have sex until marriage.”

“It’s a bit more serious than a human marriage,” he says with a short laugh, still breathing heavily. “Since we won’t even part with death.”

She lets that knowledge sit heavily on her for a moment. “Wait, then why do I have so many dreams of us getting hot and heavy?”

“Because you’re a blasted temptation, that’s why,” Klaus chuckles. “I can’t seem to keep my hands off you.”

Caroline rolls off of him and resumes lying beside him, staring at him while thinking. She probably owed it to herself to get all of her memories back before taking that next step with Klaus, no matter how much she wanted to, in these early morning hours. “Ok.”

“Ok?” He asks, looking equally relieved and disappointed. 

She nods. “Yeah. Let’s focus on getting my memories back, so we can get married, and mated, and all that good stuff.”

 “Oh sweetheart,” he breathes out a sigh of relief, “I’d be happy to.”

 

Klaus has people scouring the realm to figure out what happened to Caroline, but the answer shows up in her dreams first. She rolls over, away from him, to puke over the side of the bed one morning, a month after her ‘kidnapping’. “Love, what’s wrong?”

“I remember,” she gasps out, still heaving. “My father paid a witch to steal my memories so he could marry me off to Lockwood.”

“Why are you sick, then?” He says, holding her face between his hands.

“Because the spell hurt. A lot,” she admits and Klaus looks visibly angry. “Am I remembering this wrong or can only the same witch restore the rest of my memories?” She asks and can see him calculating.

“We need the same witch. Did you get a name?” Caroline nods and he presses a kiss to her hair. “Let’s get your memories back.”

 

The witch’s name was Bonnie Bennett and she was aghast to find the person she’d wiped the memories of was a dragon’s beloved. “I am so sorry,” she whispers, staring at Caroline, Klaus’s arm draped protectively around her. “I had no idea. My grandmother was dying, I needed the money.”

“Fix it and you’ll be forgiven,” Klaus growls out and Caroline makes a mental note to make sure he keeps that promise.

“Right away, your lordship,” Bonnie says, frantically preparing her materials on her workbench. She glances at Caroline once she’s finally prepared. “This is going to hurt. A lot.”

Caroline pats Klaus’s hand, “I’ll be fine. I already remember going through it the first time.”

“You can’t interrupt me once I start,” Bonnie tells Klaus, who’s still glaring at her. “It will go worse for Caroline if you do. She could lose all her memories entirely.”

“Can I stay?” He asks simply.

“Yeah, you can hold her. Might make the pain less,” Bonnie says, though it’s clear she doesn’t believe her words. “Ready?” She asks and Caroline nods.

Caroline thought she was prepared for the pain, but still starts to scream the moment the magic touches her, her thoughts becoming full of years of memories flooding her until she loses all awareness of her surroundings. She finally comes to once the sun has set, the dimming light skittering across the dirt floor as she heaves back into awareness. She looks around to see Bonnie and Klaus looking at her grimly. “It worked.” Bonnie’s face is full of relief, but before Caroline can say anything else, Klaus has picked her up in his arms and is kissing her, more fiercely than she could ever remember. Caroline spots Bonnie edging out of the room out of the corner of her eye and puts some distance between herself and Klaus. “Let’s not kick Bonnie out of her own house, ok?”

Klaus nods, eyes frantically drinking in her face, and drops a bag of gold on the table without setting Caroline down, walking out the door.

“You don’t want to fly back?” She asks once they are safely ensconced in their carriage.

“I don’t want to be separated from you,” he admits and she smiles at him.

“Hate to break it to you like this, but I don’t hate flying as much as you thought. I was just saying that to irritate you. Though,” she says, shifting to the bench on his side of the carriage, “I can see some benefits to this arrangement.” She buries her hands in his hair and her lips in his, as they passionately kiss to the bumping of the wheels.

“Caroline, now?” He groans when she goes to play with the lacing of his trousers.

“You never fully explained how dragon mating bonds work,” she says coyly, “can I get on my knees before you, have your cock in my mouth, or would that fulfill the magic?” She starts to move herself to the floor of the carriage only for Klaus to haul her back up again.

“When I claim you,” he promises into her ear, a hand fondling her breasts, “I want to be buried so deep inside you that you see stars. So don’t touch me yet.”

Caroline groans as he tugs on her hair with the hand not on her breasts. “Can you at least touch me then?” She asks, working to not have it come out a whine.

“Oh sweetheart, I’ll never stop,” he swears, hiking her skirts up so all of her was on display. He smirks wickedly at her, before lowering his mouth to her folds and stroking up and down with his tongue.

“Klaus!” She gasps out, “Oh, Klaus!” Her hand hits the carriage door with a thud and the driver pulls them to a stop.

“Keep going,” Klaus calls out to the man, “no matter what you hear.” He then resumes his work on her mound, murmuring into her skin: “I need you in a bed by tonight. Oh how you’ll scream for me then.”

“I’m having trouble not screaming now,” she says, cursing extensively as he slips two fingers into her core and scissors them.

“Hmm, such foul language,” he says, still working her up, “perhaps I should punish you.”

“You stop and I’ll kick you out of our bedroom tonight,” she promises fervently and he chuckles.

“Not what I had in mind at all, love. In fact,” he says, pressing a kiss to her thigh, before scraping his teeth along the join of her hip and leg. She shudders at the feel of his fangs, sharp enough to cut, before he rubs the tip of one over her clit and she shouts his name again. “That’s better, isn’t it sweetheart?” He says, increasing the speed of his fingers gliding in and out of her just as he sucks on her clit. The hand she has buried in his hair tightens until it must be painful for him, but he keeps going until she’s panting from the pleasure, muttering a stream of curse words as he keeps massaging her past her point of orgasm, until she’s had a second, all on his hands and lips.

Caroline has trouble not collapsing on the carriage floor after that and Klaus happily takes her into his arms, so she’s sitting across his lap. Tasting herself on his lips, she says: “I can’t believe I forgot you could do that.”

“Here’s to new experiences, hmm love?” He says and she groans.

“You’re going to fuck me senseless, aren’t you?” She murmurs, excited by the prospect.

“Oh course,” he says, unrepentant, “I plan to make you scream until everyone for miles can hear it. Every time we make love,” he promises, “every time you take more of my seed in you, whether in your cunt or your mouth,” he says and she groans, “you’ll gain more of my immortality. So I need to exhaust you now, while it’s still possible.”

Caroline lazily kisses him for a few moments, before a thought suddenly occurs to her. “I told Kol and Bekah we wouldn’t be kicking them out.”

“You shouldn’t have lied to them, we’re kicking out everyone but the cook,” Klaus says, “unless you like an audience.” 

“Not of your siblings,” she answers and he laughs. “I’ll have to apologize to them.”

“Apologize in a decade, when we finally come up for air,” he says, nestling into her neck and pressing kisses there.

“You wanna fuck for a decade straight?” She asks and pulls back to look him in the face. From the need apparent on his face, a decade wouldn’t be long enough. “Ok then.”

“Ok?” He says, smirking at her.

“Yeah, let’s see how you do tonight first though,” she says.

 

Klaus carries her up to their bedroom faster than a human could move, away from any prying eyes as she presses frantic kisses to his neck, playing with the collar of his shirt. They eagerly remove each other’s clothes the moment the door shuts, Klaus ripping his shirt clean in half in his haste, before chucking off pants as well. Caroline gasps at the sight of him, hard and glistening with his pre-release as he lazily pumps his cock, eyeing her bare skin. She backs up until she hits the bed and he’s on her in an instant, pressing her into the mattress, their bare skin colliding as she grabs at his shoulders. Kissing her, he slides a finger into her core and chuckles. “Already so wet for me.”

“So there’s no point in waiting,” she says and he chuckles again, this time into her neck as he guides his length into her. He buries himself to the hilt as she moans, before sliding out and picking up the pace, gliding further into her with every stroke.

When she’s pushed to the brink and he finally releases inside her, she swears, she does see stars.

 

Notes:

Please consider voting for me in the KC Awards on tumblr!
https://kcawards.tumblr.com/post/671097781512994816/kc-awards-voting-now-open
Nominated stories are Let's Do the Timeloop Again! And Soulmate Visions.
Also, check those out if you haven't already