Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-12-08
Words:
3,694
Chapters:
1/1
Comments:
7
Kudos:
45
Bookmarks:
7
Hits:
583

The Cigarette Bet

Summary:

After years of turning down his requests for a date, Kurenai and Asuma make a bet: If he can go one month without smoking, she'll go out with him.

Work Text:

Kurenai’s painted lips curled into a smile, amused at the timing and the fact that, no matter how hard she tried, she could never seem to stay out of the orbit of the man striding through the village gates with three teenage ninja in tow.

“Welcome back, Team Asuma,” she called out.

The captain’s face broke out in a wide grin around his ever present cigarette when he saw her, and he addressed his students quickly. “Why don’t you all run and tell your folks that we’re back, then we can meet up in an hour for barbecue?”

Chouji was gone in an instant, the quickly fading sound of his cheers the only evidence that he had been present at all. Ino shook her head and Shikamaru sighed before both muttered a quick ‘see ya later’ to their teacher and disappeared toward their own dwellings. Kurenai continued along her original path with Asuma falling easily in-step with her.

“Maybe you wouldn’t complain about being broke all the time if you treated your team, especially him , to a few less meals,” she half-reproved.

He took a long drag from his cigarette before responding. “Don’t really have any need to save since someone refuses to let me take her out.”

“Sucks to be you.”

“Don’t be like that,” he whined. “I’m serious, Kure.”

“So am I. Even with a female hokage, people treat women shinobi like we’re incapable of handling ourselves. If I’m going to achieve my goals, I can’t let myself be distracted by…” Her cheeks warmed slightly as she eyed him discreetly from her peripherals. “...well, anything.”

He winked as he stomped out the stubby remains of the cigarette. “I’ll change your mind one of these days. There’s gotta be some way for me to win you over.”

“I think there’s a better chance of-” An idea occurred to her as she noticed him already pulling a fresh cigarette out of his vest pocket, and her face split in a devious grin. “Actually, maybe there is one thing you can do.”

The lighter paused halfway to his mouth. 

“Really?” She snickered, causing him to narrow his eyes in suspicion as he finished lighting up. “Whatcha have in mind?”

He watched in awe as she gently removed the cigarette from his mouth and placed it between her painted red lips. She took a small drag, never breaking eye contact before handing it back to him. Gods, the things he wanted that mouth to do to him.

“Quit smoking.”

He gave her a suspicious look. “Easy.”

“One month.”

“Is that it?” He chuckled as he let the freshly lit stick fall to the ground and crushed it with his heel. “I guess I’ll set up a dinner reservation for one month from tonight.”

“I wouldn’t bother. You’ll crack before today is over.”

“What’s your favorite type of flower?”

She fought the smile tugging at the corners of her mouth. “Stop.”

“Hm.” He was suddenly in front of her, examining her crimson eyes with a seriousness that looked out of place on his face. It was replaced with a teasing grin in an instant. “I guess you can never go wrong with roses.”

She slapped his chest half-heartedly as she stepped around him. “I’m sure they’ll look lovely wilting away in your apartment from secondhand smoke.”

“You’re gonna eat those words as dessert after our date.”

“Don’t forget.” Asuma found his back suddenly pressed into the building they were passing, his pulse accelerating as her forearm pressed firmly, but not hard enough to hurt, into his windpipe. Her voice was low and husky in his ear. “I’ll know if you try to sneak one past me. I have eyes everywhere.”

His mouth was dry as she pulled away with a serene smile. “One month,” her singsong voice trailed away as she walked back the way they had come from.

~.~.~

“Kiba. Akamaru.”

The heads of both boy and dog turned reflexively toward the voice of their squad leader as the rest of the team headed back to the village from the training grounds where they had been honing new techniques. Hinata turned back, but a reassuring smile and wave from Kurenai-sensei sent her on her way. When she turned her attention back to Kiba, her expression was suddenly serious.

“I have a job for the two of you.”

“A mission from the hokage?”

“No,” she looked away, and Kiba swore he could see a blush forming behind the curtain of dark hair obscuring her face. “It’s something of a more… personal nature.”

That got his attention. “Okay, then. Shoot.”

“I need the two of you to keep an eye—or, more accurately, a nose —on Asuma.”

“Uh…” Kiba scratched the back of his head, confused. That there was something going on between Asuma and Kurenai-sensei was the worst kept secret in the Leaf Village. After two years of training under her, however, he had enough sense to not probe either party for details. Why could she possibly want to involve one of her students when she took such great pains to deny that they were a couple? “So, what are we looking for, exactly? Do we need to keep track of who he, uh, interacts with?”

“It’s nothing like that,” she assured him, a bit too quickly. “I just need you to sniff around from day-to-day, discreetly , and tell me if he’s been smoking.”

“But he’s always smoking.”

“I know.”

She was gone before he could find the words for a follow-up question. Looking to Akamaru, who looked just as confused as he felt, he sighed. “I guess we should get to work.”

Akamaru barked in agreement, and the pair headed to the center of town to find a lead on where they might find their target. The scent was faint, but Asuma had definitely been at the ramen shop earlier that day. From there, they were able to trace him to the Hokage’s office. His scent grew stronger and stronger until, eventually, they found him near the river, along with another familiar scent.

“Hey, Shikamaru!” he called out when the pair came into view, sprawled along the bank. “Haven’t seen you in a while.”

“Oh, hey. What’s up?”

Kiba and Akamaru sat down next to where Asuma was stretched in the grass, the former trying to be discreet as he sniffed the jounin for any changes. “We’re just out for a walk. Your team got any missions coming up?”

Asuma was chewing on a long blade of grass and seemed weirdly agitated, especially given his usually laid-back demeanor. He regarded Kiba with slightly narrowed eyes as Shikamaru answered. “We just got back from one this morning, so we should have at least a few days before we have to set out again. You?”

“We’re heading out in a couple days for an escort mission. Shouldn’t take more than a few days.”

Asuma sat up suddenly. “A whole team for an escort?”

“Uh, no. It’s just Akamaru and I. Why?”

“Nothing.” He clamored onto his feet with a huff and left without another word.

“Seems like he’s in a bad mood,” Kiba muttered as Asuma retreated from their sight.

Shikamaru shrugged. “He’s been this way for almost a week now. I’m not sure what’s wrong with him, but...”

“But?”

“Well, I haven’t seen him smoke since a week ago. He never seemed to have any plans to quit, so I don’t know what could have sparked it, but I think he’s having withdrawals. It’s such a drag. I wish he’d just have a cigarette if he’s gonna be so bitchy without ‘em.”

“Huh.” Kiba scratched the back of his neck. “I think it might have something to do with Kurenai-sensei.”

~.~.~

Two days after her talk with Kiba and Akamaru, Kurenai was out for a mid-morning stroll. She stopped suddenly while rounding a corner.

Less than ten feet away was Asuma, standing in front of the tobacco shop with his back to her.

Something in her chest constricted as she watched his hands fidget, although she was vaguely, distantly aware that she should be feeling a sense of satisfaction. After all, she’d known he couldn’t quit cold-turkey, and he’d been so smug in his insistence otherwise. 

But here she was, crippled by disappointment as she watched him disappear inside. 

She hadn’t meant to stay,  but she was still frozen to her spot in the shadows when he came back out. He slapped the box against the heel of his hand a few times before tearing open the top and pulling out a cigarette. Even from across the street, she couldn’t help but notice how his hands trembled as he brought the stick to his lips. The sun glinted off the shiny silver lighter that he pulled out of his pocket.

He paused with the flame half an inch away from the tip.

And let the wind blow it out.

And, with a look of disgust, he spat out the cigarette dangling from his mouth. The carton in his hands fell to the ground a moment later, crushed into a ball that he stepped on for good measure as he abruptly turned on his heel and left the vicinity.

Kurenai’s shoulders slumped in relief as she watched him turn a corner and vanish from her sight. 

She walked back in the direction she had come from, arms wrapped tightly around her waist as she tried to untangle the jumbled thoughts in her head.

Somehow or another, her feet carried her back to the gardens near the center of the village, a place that had always been a balm for her soul. It felt oddly lonely today, though. She wasn’t sure how long she’d been sitting on the bench, but it was late in the afternoon when she heard the footsteps approaching.

Akamaru plopped in front of her expectantly, and her face broke out in a smile as she caved and scratched him behind the ears the way he liked as Kiba settled onto the bench beside her.

“It’s been at least a week since he smoked last,” he said after a long silence. “But I still don’t understand why you want us to monitor him.”

“You don’t need to worry about it anymore.”

“Are you sure?”

“Positive.” She leaned forward to wrap her arms around Akamaru, burying her smile in his soft white fur. “It doesn’t matter to me if he smokes or not.”

“Well, if you’re sure…”

~.~.~

Three Weeks Later

She tried her best to look dour as Asuma held his arms out in a victory pose reminiscent of a heavyweight champion. “Well, well, well. As I live and breathe, Kurenai . You owe me one date.”

“I’ll pencil you into my schedule.” Despite her attempt at flippancy, her mouth was curling into a smile.

“Uh-uh.” He crossed his arms, and she couldn’t decide if she wanted to punch or kiss the gloating smile off his handsome face. “You’ve made me wait long enough. We’re going out tonight.”

“Fine.” As hard as she tried to seem put out, she couldn’t keep herself from smiling. 

~.~.~

Kurenai had agonized for years about how agreeing to a date would change things between herself and Asuma, and she was shocked that it really didn’t feel any different than any other time they had spent together. Sure, she was a bit more dolled-up than usual and they weren’t taking pains to keep a respectable distance between them. She couldn’t remember the last time she had laughed this much in a single evening.

“It’s getting late.” The time had passed too quickly for her liking.

“I’ll walk you home.” They both knew that she needed no escort; anyone dumb enough to attack her would be lucky to live to tell the tale. But she wasn’t quite ready to part ways yet.

“I can’t believe you made it a whole month without nicotine.”

“I can’t believe that you can’t believe it.” They came to a stop in front of her apartment building. His eyes were tender and warm as melted chocolate, and her heart raced as he leaned close to push a strand of hair behind her ear. “I’d do anything for you, Kure.”

She chewed her bottom lip. “Can I tell you a secret?” He nodded. “I’d already made up my mind after the first week.”

“Yeah?”

“I realized within a few days that I was scared of what would happen if you cracked, and, at that point, I knew I’d been an idiot to keep turning you down.” She eyed the entrance to the building. “Wanna come upstairs?”

The ‘yes’ was out of his mouth before she’d even finished the question, and she laughed as she led him upstairs by the hand.

“I didn’t know you were so easy,” she joked as her key turned in the lock.

He attacked as soon as they were out the hallway. She could have kicked herself for denying them both what they needed for so long. The weight of his body pressing against her as they made out against the door of her apartment. The delicious stretch in her arms as she reached up to hold him (how was he so tall??).

“Fuck, Kurenai,” he growled in her ear as she mouthed at his neck. “God, I’ve wanted this for so long.”

“Me too,” she murmured honestly. 

His breathing was labored as he pulled away from her enough to rest his forehead against hers. “Kure, I don’t want to put you on the spot here… but this can’t be a one-time thing for me. I’ve loved you for years, since we were kids. I’m sorry but-”

“Shh.” Her fingers tugged desperately at the zipper of his vest. “There’ll be plenty of time to talk later, I promise. Right now,” he hissed as she palmed him, already hard and throbbing, through his pants. “I need you to get your ass in my bed.”

“Yes, ma’am.” The air whooshed out of her lungs as he scooped her up, bridal style, and strode toward the doorway that led to the bedroom.

A rare wave of self-conscious nervousness passed through her as he, after depositing her onto the bed, just stared at her for a long moment, but it was quickly washed away by his low whistle followed by a quiet “damn.” Confidence bolstered, she smiled coyly and pushed him away far enough for her to sit up and pull the simple red dress she had worn over her head. 

Their bodies were tangled together by the time the fabric had hit the floor.

Kurenai let herself get lost in the way his mouth felt against her own, the way his calloused hands traveled cautiously, but impatiently, across her skin. As if he was afraid that he was dreaming and taking too much too fast would cause him to wake up. She decided to help him along by reaching behind herself to unfasten her bra. 

He groaned as he took in her nearly naked form. “Fuck, you’re beautiful.”

She could feel the blush creeping across her face, neck, and chest. “Thanks, you too.”

“Huh?” He looked confused and maybe slightly hurt, like she was playing some kind of trick on him.

“Seriously? Have you seen yourself?”

He stared at her blankly, and she scoffed, for some reason feeling deeply and personally offended that he couldn’t see the obvious.

“Asuma, you big, gorgeous idiot. Take your damn clothes off.”

He wasn’t about to argue with that request. And fuck —how did he manage to look so sexy while awkwardly fumbling to get his shoes and pants off at the same time? She thanked every deity that had ever been dreamed of that his back was to her when he pushed his underwear down, giving her a view of a round, bronzed, and simply exquisite ass that would be burned in her mind for the rest of her days. Gods , the things she would do that butt if he let her—and she was fairly certain that he would let her. 

All in due time.

And then he turned and, damn, she couldn’t decide if the front or the back view was better. He was broad and powerful but soft around the edges, like a teddy bear. A teddy bear with a penis that was a bit intimidating to watch as it bobbed with every step he took toward the bed. The thought made her snicker, and he paused with his fists pressed into the edge of the mattress, once again looking unsure of himself.

“Asuma... fuck.” She groaned as she threw herself forward to bury her face in his firm but supple pecs, both hands reaching around to caress and squeeze the butt that was quickly becoming one of her favorite things about Asuma. “I think I’m in love.”

The words were out before she realized their implication, and she flinched internally at the way his body tensed as soon as they had left her mouth. 

His fingers tangled in her hair, gently pulling her away from his chest to look at her face. “I’ve known it for a while.”

It was so cheesy, and she hated the smile that stretched her face and made her cheeks hurt. He grinned and, as if reading her mind, chuckled. “I know, I sound corny as hell. But you haven’t kicked my sappy ass out yet.”

“No, I guess I haven’t.” 

And she knew, deep down, that she had gotten herself in too deep. 

She’d never be able to let him go now.

They fit too well together, she thought, as she allowed herself to be pushed back into the pillows for him to climb on top of her. His hands trembled slightly (and, for once, not from nicotine withdrawals) as he pulled her underwear off, and he groaned into her shoulder as he felt how slick and wet she already was for him. Her patience was at its limit, and she reached between them, stroking his cock twice before adjusting herself so that she could ease the tip into her drenched folds.

“Fuck.”  

He pulled away suddenly, and she whimpered at the loss of contact until her legs were thrown roughly over his shoulders and he buried his face in her hot center.

“Ah, Asuma!” It was hard to articulate words with the magic his tongue was working on her. “I’m, ah! N-Not necessary!” She took the slight reprieve of him pulling away for air to continue. “Please, Asuma. I’m ready for-”

Her words turned to mush as two thick fingers probed her sopping entrance. He kissed her inner thigh. “I don’t trust myself to last very long at this rate,” he growled into her skin as his mouth clamped down on her clit. When she looked down at him, his eyes were closed tightly. One hand shoved her thigh down into the mattress while the other reached between his legs and pumped himself slowly. 

The sight of him taking pleasure in pleasing her. 

The rough scrape of his beard on her inner thighs.

Knowing that someone as sweet and caring and sexy as Asuma had waited this long for her.

The thought that he’d suffered a whole month of nicotine withdrawals for the chance to be with her this way.

It was too much, too good, and she practically sobbed as the orgasm wracked her body. He showed no mercy, lapping at her folds and driving his fingers into her until she melted into a boneless heap. After a few seconds (that may as well have been hours, given the way her mind lost grasp of silly, trivial concepts like time), he adjusted himself so that he was kneeling at the apex of her thighs. 

She urged him forward, her body springing into action, already needing more of him despite having cum seconds before, and nearly screamed in frustration when he pulled away, suddenly remembering something. “I have a condom in my wallet-”

“I don’t care,” she whined. “Please.”

“But what about-”

“I’ll get a morning after pill. And it’s been long enough that disease shouldn’t be an issue.”

The perfect joke about rejecting him for years and then trying to trap him with a baby was at the tip of his tongue, but Asuma was too far gone for words as he thrust into her. They both groaned as she enveloped him completely, and, after taking a couple deep breaths against the side of her neck, he started moving deep within her. Her back arched off the mattress, desperately grasping for more and more and more, as his teeth grazed across her collarbone. His cock twitched, forcing him deeper yet, and he bit out a string of curses as he pulled out, eliciting an embarrassing whine from Kurenai. 

“You feel too good,” he murmured huskily, mostly to himself, as he eased himself back in. 

He kissed her deeply once more before shifting his weight onto his knees. One at a time, he kissed her calves as he pulled her ankles up to rest on his shoulders. She felt the telltale tension growing in her lower belly with the new position, and he sealed the deal by using his thumb to circle her clit. 

The world imploded around her.

"Fuck. Fuckfuckfuck." His teeth grit together as his rhythm became frantic and sloppy.

Her legs instinctively locked him in place and, seeing the slight panic in his eyes, she moaned. "Inside me, please. I want to feel it. Please…"

He came undone with a shout, body shuddering as he spilled himself inside her before slumping forward. Her arms wound around him, rubbing soothing circles across his upper back while he struggled to slow his breathing. With a low groan, he pushed himself up enough to roll onto his side.

It wasn’t until he turned his face toward her that Kurenai realized how stupid she must look, grinning like a blissed out idiot, but he responded with a dopey, satiated look of his own and asked, while pushing a strand of sweaty hair behind her ear, “What are you thinking about?”

“Honestly?” She laughed. “I’m thinking that I could really use a cigarette right about now.”