Actions

Work Header

golden flowers and azure stars

Summary:

"I would never love somebody else but you... Even though it pains me to do so..."

It sounded so cliche —the villain falling for the hero, or even the hero falling for the villain. But why does it hurt to love you? Is it because of rejection? Because of the fear of changing the things between us? If it changes things between our relationship, then I wish I could just suppress these feelings.

Notes:

— Do you guys read the author's notes before reading the story itself? I do hope you do!

This book is a fanfiction from the popular game named 'Genshin Impact.' Most of the events in this fanfiction are purely fictional but still sticks close to the events that actually happened in the Genshin Lore.

There are no OCs added but the characters might, from time to time, go out of character for the purpose of this fanfiction. The main ship in this fanfiction is ChiLumi and is set by the time before Lumine and Paimon is supposed to set sail to Inazuma.

If there are any wrong grammars and the like, kindly tell me about it so that I can fix it and make the reading experience more enjoyable.

I do not condone any spoilers flying in the comment section for it ruins other readers' experience on indulging the story. This is the first time I'm writing an angst so if its not tear-jerking enough, I deeply apologize for it.

Last but not the least, please do enjoy the story and as you do, kindly give me some feedback in order for me to know in which parts should I give focus on and improve it.

Enjoy reading!

Chapter 1: an unexpected dinner

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lumine strolled the streets of Liyue like she usually did, waving back at people who waved at her first. She was on her way to fetch Paimon from the Wanmin Restaurant but a familiar ginger haired guy made her stop her tracks. And in the meantime, the man's face brightened up upon seeing the golden eyed girl not far from him.

He waved at her, "Hey there, ojou-chan!" Childe greeted, running towards Lumine who waved back.

"Hey," She reciprocated the greeting before continuing her stroll. Childe followed suit, a comfortable space and distance between them

The man placed his hands inside his pockets, looking at the shorter lady beside him with a playful glint in his eyes. "Where are you going?" He asked, his signature grin plastered on his flawless face. Lumine looked at him, golden eyes glowing like the stars scattered in the skies at night.

'Those eyes that reflect the stars— gold, shimmering, full of hope. Were her eyes always that beautiful?' He thought to himself, staring at her orbs that looks back at him.

Childe could feel his breaths go shallow, feeling as if Lumine was staring right into his soul. "Uh, Childe? Are you alright?" Lumine asked, concern lacing from her voice as her smiling facial expression contorted into a concered one.

The ginger blinked his eyes for a few seconds before focusing into her eyes once more, "It's nothing," He chuckled, raising a hand to scratch his nape. Lumine arched her eyebrow at his response, feeling as if there's something more to his staring at her.

"Are you sure? I could bring you to Bubu Pharmacy if you want." The blonde girl offered, her eyes briefly looking at the other side of the road where the pharmacy is situated. Childe shook his head at her offer before smiling a close lipped smile.

He ruffled Lumine's hair which made her groan in response as she tries to remove his hand on her hair. "Aww, are you concerned for me, ojou-chan?" Childe teased, now back to his playful and arrogant attitude that always lightens up the mood.

"Agh, Childe! You should stop ruffling my hair like that!" Lumine reprimanded while fixing her hair. She placed back the two flowers on the top right side of her head then glared at the ginger who always does the act everytime that he could. Childe could only raise his hands in defense and let the shorter lady glare at him for what he did.

The two caused a small scene at the road with their cute acts, but then the crowd dispersed after Lumine walked out as Childe followed her from behind. "H-hey! Ojou-chan! I'm sorry I ruffled your hair!" He apologizes as she continued on walking away from him.

He didn't dare hold her shoulder and make her look at him. Lest, he followed her, saying his apologies again and again, knowing that she was purposefully ignoring him. But, aside from what Childe was thinking, Lumine is just planning the perfect little revenge to get back at him.

 

"Hey ojou-chan, I'm sorry for ruffling your hair!"

 

"Did I perhaps offend you by messing with your hair?"

 

"Ojou-chaaaaaaan, come on, say something to me."

 

Childe continued to whine at Lumine which made quite a racket at the peaceful afternoon street of Liyue. However, even with the whispers and eyes taking interest at them and what they're doing, the duo didn't give attention to them and kept on doing what they always do— have fun with each other whether its sparring in the Golden House, chatting a couple of hours of their day with one another, or making fun of themselves.

Yeah, those things that makes her forget about the things she was supposed to do; making her forget the burden of other people's works weighting her down. Making her forget about everything in the world including her brother whom she was supposed to look for and bring with her to another world.

Making her think that there was only her and Childe in the world... Only her and her frienemy...

Lumine stopped her tracks in front of the famous restaurant, turned around to look at Childe, then stomped her heel on his left foot. Childe let out a yelp which got caught by many bystanders, turning their heads towards the place where the noise came from.

The ginger-haired man hopped on one foot, trying to ease the pain of the other by not using it for a short period of time. Lumine laughs at his actions as Childe playfully glares at her. "Now that's what I call revenge." The blonde girl held her stomach to lessen her laughs.

"That hurt like hell, ojou-chan." Childe complained, now trying to stand on both feet now. He placed a hand on his heart, "This hurts too."

Lumine rolled her eyes at his gesture, "Not as hurting from the wounds you get from real fights though."

Childe chuckles then shook his head. "You're right."

Lumine's presence alongside the Fatui Harbinger behind her made the people in the area turn their heads towards the two. They both ignored the stares like they did a while ago as Lumine called her pixie companion that's munching on the food Xiangling offered her.

Paimon floated towards Lumine, the plate still in her hands as crumbs of the food she ate scattered all over the dress she's wearing. "Lumine! You're here!" She exclaimed, bouncing on the air giddily. The golden haired girl just giggled at Paimon's cute acts as she wiped away the food crumbs clinging on the pixie's clothes.

"Hi there, Childe!" Paimon greeted, waving her hand at the young man behind Lumine. He waved back with a smile on his face. "Hi too, Paimon!"

The pixie turned around then flew towards Xiangling who's busy with experimenting and concocting a new recipe to give her the plate she's holding. The ebony haired girl alongside its companion greeted the pair who recently arrived. "Hi Lumine!" She greets the golden eyed girl then turned towards the fatui, "Hello there, Mr. Childe!" Xiangling greets him politely with a small bow of her head.

Childe returned the gesture but didn't greet her the way she did. Xiangling didn't mind and instead held Lumine's hands, clasping it tight in front of them. "Did you guys ate already?" Xiangling asked, her yellow eyes sparkling brightly.

Lumine shook her head, "Not yet, I was still thinking where to bring Paimon so we can eat our supper."

Xiangling's eyes brightened even more, "Then could we eat together tonight, ojou-chan?" Childe slipped into the conversation flawlessly, grinning and waiting for Lumine to answer his question.

Both Paimon and Xiangling could only look at Childe with the word 'seriously?' written on their faces, slightly complaining on why did he interrupt their conversation. They could only sigh internally as they already know of the man's obsession towards Lumine.

The question the ginger man asked was heard by the people near them as they, too, waited for the renowned hero's answer to the Fatui Harbinger's question. Silence devoured the moment as no one dared to speak in order to hear the traveller's answer loud and clear.

Lumine, who was oblivious about the people's ears waiting for her answer, looked at Childe with an unamused look on her face. "Aren't you supposed to have dinner with Zhongli tonight?" She asked, remembering that Childe told her a while ago in the Golden House about their set dinner.

Childe sighed. "Sensei said that he won't be able to have dinner with me when I visited the funeral parlor before meeting you a while ago."

"What could the reason be, Childe?" Paimon asks, her hand under her chin as she wonders what could be the reason why Zhongli suddenly became busy. The pixie's eyebrows furrowed not long after she asked her question then threw her hands up in the air, "Aah, this thinking always dries up Paimon's brain juice!" The crowned pixie panicked, holding her head in her hands which made the other three laugh.

"Hey! Don't make fun of Paimon!" The pixie said, scolding them with fake annoyance.

"Sensei told me that much of his paperworks has been piling up on his desk as the days gone by, making the director of the funeral parlor scold him and make him stay in his office until he finishes them." The ginger continued with a facepalm and an exasperated sigh coming from him.

Lumine could only giggle at the two men's situation as the sun rays of the setting sun hit her softly, accentuating her features. Childe was left speechless by the lady in front of him, as if meeting a divine goddess far greater than the archons— a transcendental being as she really is.

Childe was left tongue-tied by the moment; feeling as if everything was in slow motion as Lumine was showered by the golden rays of the setting sun.

"Childe?" Paimon calls out and he doesn't respond.

Paimon flew a little more closer to the Harbinger then snapped her little fingers in front of him. "Childe? Teyvat to Childe?"

The man blinked his eyes in response to the fingers snapping in front of him, "A-ah... It seems I got lost in thought. Haha." He sheepishly laughed with a hand scratching his neck. Lumine could only make a facepalm at him.

"Did you guys say something that I didn't catch?" Childe asks, deep blue eyes looking at each one of them.

"No, no, you didn't." Paimon deadpans, unamused expression painting her face. Lumine laughed at her companion's actions, "Yes he did, you dummy." She says to the pixie with a small smile on her face. Xiangling could only place a hand on her mouth to stop herself from laughing out loud as the small scene unfolds in front of her.

Another pair pops up inside the chef's mind— a familiar blue-haired guy and his icy blue haired companion who'd almost always eat in their restaurant. And speaking of which, Xiangling was reminded of something that she was supposed to do.

"Guys," She called out the other's attention to which they gave her instantly. "I'd love to go with you three but I forgot about a delivery I am supposed to make for the second son of the Feiyun Commerce Guild. I gotta go!" Xiangling said before getting a box full of ice popsicles inside their cold storage and making a run to the delivery place, her own companion tailing her.

The three watched as Xiangling and Guoba silently blended in the crowd illuminated by the streetlights of the harbor. They looked at each other in silence next. "How about we eat in Xinyue Kiosk?" Childe offered, ushering a hand towards the direction of the kiosk. Both Paimon and Lumine nodded at him as they then walked to the establishment.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

Their pixie companion slumped down on her chair then placed a hand on her stomach, "Agh, Paimon's so full." Paimon complains which made Childe and Lumine laugh at her small predicament. Paimon furrows her eyebrows at the two, "Hey! Don't laugh at Paimon!" She continues which made the other two laugh even more.

"I can't believe you still get full Paimon, I never thought that you'd still have a limit in eating." Childe teased while struggling on holding chopsticks with his hand. Paimon was about to fly towards the ginger and opens her mouth to protest but she closed them then slumps back to her seat.

The pixie crosses her arms before saying; "And I can't also believe that you're still unable to use chopsticks after weeks of staying in Liyue, Childe." Paimon deadpans which made Lumine laugh out at the two dissing each other in front of her.

Childe blushes from embarrasment as he looks away, trying to hide the redness of his face from the dissing he recieved. "At least I'm trying to learn how to use it. How about you, Paimon? Are you learning how to control your appetite?" He asks back, now regaining confidence.

Both Paimon and Lumine gasps at Childe's comeback as the pixie held onto the blonde girl's arm protector. The ginger snickered at the platinum haired girl then continued on eating the food on his platter.

"P-Paimon doesn't need to control her appetite, Paimon only eats when she's really hungry!" She defended, her grip on Lumine's wrist tightening. Sensing that things might spiral out of control when the banters go to the wrong direction, the golden eyed girl sneaked into the conversation swiftly, not sparing a second and letting it go to waste.

"Hey, hey, you guys might wanna stop right there, you two still have your dinner to eat." Lumine interrupted, looking at the two people with her who became silent and continued eating.

Only the sound of cutlery echoed through their tables as they munched on their food with contented look on their faces. From time to time, Lumine could feel the ginger haired man's gaze on her, making her feel a little conscious on herself. 'Is there something on my face?' She asks herself then tucked stray strands of hair behind her ear.

She raised her gaze then made their eyes look into each other, confirming her suspicion that he was actually looking at her. "Is there... Anything wrong, Childe?" Lumine asked, tilting her head to the left and acting oblivious of the fact that she caught him staring at her.

Childe blinked a few of times before answering, "Oh um, nothing much. I was just thinking about um, something." He then placed a hand on his mouth before clearing his throat and drinking a few gulps of water. Lumine averted her gaze then placed a spoonful of food in her mouth, "Alright."

Paimon, on the other hand, looks at the two back and forth, a small smug smile plastered on her face. "Hey Childe," the pixie calls out in which the man replied with a hum of acknowledgement. "Do you have somthing that you'd have to do after supper?" Paimon asks, her eyes sparkling like her cape.

The Harbinger shook his head, "Nothing, really. Unless there's an emergency that requires my presence."

"Oh cool," Paimon chimed, "Then can you walk us to our inn?"

The pixie's request shocked Lumine to the point of making her choke on the food she's chewing. Her coughs alarmed the ginger, making him slam his utensils on the table and go to Lumine's side. He placed his gloved hand on her back, his other hand holding onto Lumine's glass of water and handing it to her.

Rubbing the golden-eyed girl's back to relieve her choking, he said; "Easy, ojou-chan. We wouldn't want you dying just by choking on your food." Childe says with a small laugh in the end of his joke which made Paimon and Lumine glare at him for doing so.

Just like what she did as they walked to Wanmin Restaurant, the blonde girl stomped once more on the foot she stepped on many minutes ago. Childe yelped just like what he did then glared playfully at Lumine and Paimon who just laughed at him jumping on place.

"This is the second time you did this today, ojou-chan. I'll definitely take this to heart if you do this one more time." The ginger said with a playful hint lacing his voice. The lady could only look at him with an unamused look painted on her face as she placed her curled fists on her sides.

"Really, Childe, it's not funny that you joked about Lumine dying." Paimon reprimanded, trying really hard not to continue laughing as the scene of her companion stepping on the Harbinger's foot replays in her mind. Lumine chuckled slightly from the interactions the two had, "I'm not gonna die from choking over the food I ate, I still have to look for the archons and reunite with my brother!" She stood up from her seat then placed a clenched fist above her chest.

Paimon lifted her fist to the air with a wide smile, "And Paimon will be beside you for support and as your tour guide!"

Childe claps with enthusiasm in return as their dinner slowly draws to a close. They exited the Kiosk then walked along the streets of the harbor, chatting and laughing with each other. After the ginger made a joke, Lumine hit his shoulder lightly, a bright smile making her face glow.

The harbinger stared at the blonde lady's smiling face, unknowingly imprinting her face in his mind. From her short, soft blonde hair that frames her cute face, her golden eyes that sparkles everytime she gets excited, to her small stature that he wonders how would feel when he'd pull her into an embrace—

He suddenly felt his throat itch and chest tingle. Childe stopped his tracks then placed a hand on his chest area. 'Please, not now.' He begged inwardly as he cleared his throat again and again in order to remove the familiar sensations. The other two noticed his absence from their side then turned around to see him steps away from them.

Childe flashed a smile at their direction as they walked towards him, worriedness evident from their faces. "Are you alright?!" Lumine asks, a hand placed on his back and another on his shoulder. Paimon flies to his other side, also asking the same questions her companion asked.

The man cleared his throat for the last time before letting out a small laugh, praying that he wouldn't embarrass himself from speaking with his throat not being in it's best state. "I-I'm alright, no need to worry." Childe stutters, inwardly cringing from the tone of his voice.

"You might want to have your throat checked, Childe." Paimon reccomends, "You don't sound so good."

Childe only shook his head at the pixie's recommendation to have himself checked of any ailments that he might've caught. "No, no. I'm alright, really. I've just been overexerting myself the past week that's all." He replied, but a word was imprinted at the back of his mind as those words fell from his mouth.

 

'Lies...'

 

Lumine speaks, insisting that they're gonna bring him to a doctor to have him checked up. "I'm alright, comrade, really. No need to worry—" Childe was caught off by the soothing voice of another man with a red streak on his hair.

"Ah, so this is where I could meet you, Lumine. You should've told me that you're not gonna be in your inn." Kaedehara Kazuha said, walking towards the trio and gathering audience at the same time. Both Paimon and Lumine was shocked from the appearance of the samurai in front of them as his piercing red eyes stared straight at them.

Aside from confusion and annoyance, Childe could also feel something bigger bubble up in him— jealousy. He kept the grin plastered on his face as the samurai now stood in front of them. Kazuha looked at the ginger haired man, not giving out any clue on what he's thinking.

Kazuha placed his hand below his chin, "And who might this man be? Could you be someone we can trust? Or are you someone we shouldn't be affiliated with?" The red eyed man asked, doubt and perception lacing his voice. Childe fought the urge to slash the other man's throat just because of the words he spoke, the knuckles on his left hand turning white because of him fisting it.

"Why hello there mister! I suppose you're another friend of ojou-chan?" Childe greets, adding an emphasis on his endearment to Lumine then waves his hand at the anemo user's way. Kazuha nods at him, "Yes, I'm another friend of hers. The name is Kazuha— Kaedehara Kazuha." He introduced himself, the small gust of wind making his hair dance alongside it.

The samurai extended his hand at the ginger's way, "What about you? Would you care to share your name?"

Paimon flew towards Lumine's side as they both watched the scene in front of them unfold. Tension filled the air as both the vision users shook each other's hands after Childe introduced himself. The blonde and the pixie held their breaths as they stared at the two in front of them having a staring contest.

"Uhh," Paimon starts, completely diminishing the building tension as the attention of the two now focused on her. The platinum haired girl felt even smaller than she was as their eyes now transfixed at her. She took in a handful of air before speaking. "What are you here for, Kazuha? Isn't the time  we're supposed to board the ship still in a week's time?"

Kazuha nods at the pixie's question, "To be completely honest, Paimon, you're supposed to board the Crux tomorrow." He replies, reminding the travelling partners of the actual date of the day. Shock was painted on their faces including Childe's, his expression now turning unreadable.

"What?!" Paimon shouts out loud— a little too loud. Heads that turned to their direction was left unnoticed, for their topic was more important than other people's interests.

The samurai nods, "Yes. And the captain of The Crux has told me to fetch you from the harbor. She would like to have a talk with you before we set sail to the Land of Eternity after the sun comes up." He added which made Lumine nod her head.

Childe stood there, hearing them chat with each other as if he's someone invisible. "May I ask," He chimes in, "What exactly is about to happen?"

Lumine gulps before turning completely to look at him. "Childe," she begins. "I'm about to leave Liyue to go to Inazuma." The blonde girl could not look at the harbinger right to his eyes, feeling guilty that she hasn't told him that they wouldn't be able to spar with each other on Mondays just like they always do; for she's bound to be busy in Inazuma to look for it's archon.

Silence crept into the atmosphere as Lumine looks down, feeling Childe's gaze on her head. The other two did not let any noise come from them, staring at the two people having their own time to talk. "O-oh..." Childe finally lets out, making the golden eyed girl raise her head to look at him.

"I see." He adds, "Then you should go now! You still have to look for your brother and reunite with him. We wouldn't want you waste your time without finding him, right Lumine?"

The lady could only wince internally after hearing her name slip from Childe's mouth. 'He's serious, isn't he?' She asked herself then walks away with Kazuha and Paimon after looking back at Childe for the last time, seeing him wave goodbye at her as his silhouette becomes smaller and smaller

"I'll come back if I can!" Lumine shouts at him from a distance which made the harbinger smile brightly.

Childe circles his hands on his mouth, "Then I'll be here to wait for you!" He shouts back which made the blonde girl smile at him.

'But I wish I could come along with you...'

He felt the itch and tingling sensation on his throat and chest once more, making him hide inside an alleyway without sparing any second and cough all that he can just to make it go away.

He slumped on the wall, his knee propped up to support his clenched fist above it. 'This is the third time this week...' The harbinger's inner voice said, an unreadable expression plastered on his face

He opened his fist and a petal of the golden color fell to the ground. Childe laughs to himself in spite of the sarcasm, "So another petal, huh?"

Notes:

I don't know when I'll be able to make and publish more chapters but I am sure that I'll be able to publish one or two every month. So far I'm proofreading the second chapter and writing the third one. Stay tuned~! And please do drop a kudos if you like the chapter! <3

Chapter 2: the lady and the adepti

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Expensive furnitures decorated his whole office, polished floors and carved ornaments making his workplace even more lavish than it already is. With an elbow propped on the table, he rested his chin on his hand and played with his pen, hitting its ends again and again on the wide table in front of him. He suddenly clicked his tongue before removing his grip on the pen.

The two fatuus standing on others sides of the door was given a staring treatment by the eleventh harbinger, filling the room with uncomfortableness and eerie silence. "Get out of my sight." Childe says bitterly, a frown painting his handsome face. The underlings did not spare any second then got out of the office without any word, leaving the ginger haired man all alone by himself.

His thoughts we're scattered; like leaves being blown by the wind as the things that he have in his head was overriden by another thing again and again. Childe looked at the clock hung above his door, as if expecting a miracle to happen in any second now.

 

11:38 PM

 

Childe could only heave out a sigh from his lungs then slump back on his chair, eyes glued to the ceiling and wondering thousands of things that in the end didn't produce a single thought that he could comprehend. 'So you're telling me that I could die from loving her secretly.' He said to himself, fishing the petal he forced out of his lungs hours ago and placing it on the table in front of him.

The harbinger clasped his hands together like someone would do before starting a prayer, resting his chin above it and stared at the gold petal that he felt like mocking him and his feelings for the unreachable lady that caught his heart. Lumine's mental image showed up in his mind, making his heart beat fast as a blush slowly creep up to his cheeks.

Her witty remarks, her strength, beauty. Everything that made her up makes him feel so... Different. The war machine that he is always crumbles down everytime that she would show up even in his dreams, making him pick up the remnants of the walls that he set up surrounding him and rebuild it.

He feels like himself everytime he's with her, the him that he lost in the abyss flickering like a candle within him and trying to shine brightly once more. His ambitions that aligns with the Tsaritsa's goal always dares to deteriorate and fall down as he started to have a budding feeling for the golden eyed lady, making her his ambition that could even surpass his previous one.

A small smile played on his lips as he continued to stare at the petal in front of him, his thoughts now making sense unlike his previous ones. It feels as if she's the only one that could clear up the fog that surrounds him and confuses his mind.

Childe took his mask from the side of his head, holding it in both hands as he looked at it intensely. 'Should I...' His thoughts trailed off as he pursed his lips at the same time. The red metal shone elegantly under the lights of his office, making him lose his breath as he grazed his gloved thumb at the edge of the mask.

"Would you be so sure of letting go of your position as a harbinger, Childe?" A deep voice suddenly said, startling the ginger and making him summon his water blades to attack the person who suddenly showed up inside his office.

The harbinger heaved out a sigh after realizing who just entered the room, "You startled me, Sensei." Childe said then dismissed his weapon, making it disappear as Zhongli let out a small laugh while sitting on the expensive couch of the other man, sipping tea from the teacup he holds.

"I supposed I did." Agrees the ex-archon, nodding his head once before blowing on the tea to make it less hot. "But it's not my fault that you failed to notice me since the time you entered your office." Zhongli adds with a cheshire smile playing on his lips. Childe sat on the other couch then looked at the amber eyed man across him with shock fully written on his face.

The ginger stared at the man holding a cup as blood slowly rushed to both sides of his cheeks, turning his face a shade of red. "W-WHAT?!" Childe shouts, the shade of red becoming even more vibrant as the time goes on. Zhongli nods, solidifying his statement that embarrassed the harbinger much more.

"WHAAAAAAAAT?!" Childe repeats as Zhongli let out a small chuckle at the other man's reaction. "But why didn't you say something?! How did I not notice you?"

The brown haired man placed the teacup he's holding on the low table in front of him before looking at the blue eyed man waiting for an answer. "Let's just say that you got yourself busy with daydreaming about her and I don't want to ruin the moment. That would be the whole explanation considering that you're staring at that golden petal you got out of your pocket." Zhongli replies, stressing out words to give emphasis and depth to the sentences he dropped.

Childe sunk on the couch, resting his head on the top of it's backrest before covering his beet red face with is gloved hands. "Agh, this is so embarrassing." He complains, still not removing his hands from his face for quite a period of time. The two men sat together in silence as the night grew deeper and feels like they're the only people awake.

One might think that its only a normal late night hangout of two friends from afar, but once one delves into their histories, they'll see an ancient god who experienced being an archon and a boy who fell to the abyss only to emerge as a completely different person. Although different from each other completely, its not that hard to say that they must've found something that kept the two of them stick to one another.

"Hey, sensei..." Childe calls out, his red face from before now back to its normal colors as he continued to slump on the couch with his hands placed on either side of him. Zhongli nods in acknowledgement of his call, ears ready to listen and mind ready to formulate an answer to the ginger haired man's question.

The harbinger pouted his lips for a few seconds, thinking of the words to use in order to ask his question to the most knowledgeable man in the land. "Do you..." He trails off but picks up the question the next second. "Know anyone who contracted the Hakanaki before?"

The ex-archon glared at him for wrongly pronouncing the word, "It's called Hanahaki, Childe." The ginger haired man raised both of his hands as some sort of defending himself from the god's possible assault. Fortunately for him, Zhongli isn't someone to throw hands at other's just because of a small mistake.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. The word still sounds so foreign to me that I can't get used to it." Childe apologized while shrugging his shoulders in the process. "So, do you know someone who had this illness before?"

Zhongli held his chin, staring at the teacup he placed in front of him and thinking deeply. "I presume I once knew someone who contracted the ailment before. But it has been a couple hundred of years since we've last met." The amber eyed man recalls, memories that he had once experienced now starting to play like a movie of vibrant colors in his mind.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

Born from a simple family in the north of Liyue, a black haired girl with vibrant brown eyes. She smiles a bright smile, one that could compare to the glow of the moon hung on the night sky. Oh look at how humble she is, compliments taken to heart whilst she does her work diligently.

Men from their village sought after her hand in marriage, but no one could get a hold of her oh so free spirit. She says that no one could capture her heart, for she'd dedicate her life for her family, the adepti, and the ruling archon they have.

Her response to the old people's questions has shocked many, even her family whom expects her to marry. But without any obstacles, she has become some kind of a priestess; offering her life for the celestial beings that stayed with the people of their nation.

She had come to the harbor, gathering audience due to her unparalleled, native beauty. The young lady has stayed true to her words, working laboriously in offering and praising the empyreal beings. The peace in the land has went on, alongside her contributions being highlighted by all.

But, during one moonlit night, the well-favored lady of the land took a stroll near the land of the adepti, calming herself down from the exhausting whole day's work. As she neared the beautiful blue pools of Luhua, splashes of water caught her attention.

Without any hesitation, she asked the empty spaces with a loud voice, "Is someone there? Are you here to defile these blessed grounds?"

The ground underneath her feet rumbled, concern painting her fair face as she tried not to stumble. "I do not dare defile the grounds of the land I protect, nor do I wish to hurt someone who disturbs the private time of an adeptus."

A gasp escaped the lady's lips as a half dragon appeared up in front of her. "It is not just to bother someone else's time, go back to the harbor and rest." The adeptus said, his face nonchalant and emotionless. Without any protests, the young lady went back to her quarters, the adeptus' face filling her dreams with sweet phantasms.

And it was where her lingering feelings has started; one which made her feel fuzzy inside, one that made her feel guilty for she's only supposed to worship. She felt tingling sensations in her chest and throat as she decided to ignore it, continuing to adore the adeptus that she's only met once.

Days went on and months went by, the fair lady did not meet the adepti once again. In distraught, she had fallen ill and got bedridden for weeks to come. Her coughs had alarmed many of her camaraderie, wondering in fear if she's contracted a contagious and life-threatening disease.

However, one night, in the fits of her cough, a vibrant colored petal came out of her mouth. Shock was written all over her face as she held it with both hands. She didn't dare to bring this up to the people who took care of her, thinking that she might be branded as someone who lost their mind.

One petal became two, two became three. The longer she adored the adeptus, the more the petals has she coughed out... And the more her conditions had gotten worse. Fear engulfed the people of the harbor, fear that spread like a wildfire which alarmed the guardians of the land, making them feel uneasy as well.

In one of her dreams, after she yielded around thirteen petals, the same adeptus that she met showed up in her dreams. Relief washed away her impurities of being submerged in constant distress and long running adoration towards the handsome adepti.

He opened his mouth to speak, but closed it as if holding back the words that he's about to say. Curiosity painted the lady's face with a hint of concern, afraid that he might push her away just like the first time they had met. Without any hesitation, she blurted out the words that seemed so absurd to the adeptus.

"I seem to have loved you since the first time we've met. It might sound absurd but I am sure of what I feel."

The adeptus clad in gold-laced clothing pursed his lips, thinking of what he should reply. "You're not supposed to love an adeptus." He said curtly.

Silence engulfed the atmosphere of her dream as the lady slowly felt her heart crumble to pieces. "It isn't like I can stop myself..." She whispered, almost inaudible if it's not for the man's ability to hear sharply due to his being.

"You're hurting yourself at the same time, it's disappointing."

Biting her lips, she tries to suppress the tears that formed in her eyes. "I know."

"Then why didn't you stop it?"

She looked at the adeptus in front of her angrily, "I don't know how!"

The adeptus flinched at her sudden outburst but composed himself as swiftly as he could and acted like nothing has just escalated. "You're a human; a fragile being that needs our protection. You became the prime worshipper of us adepti, yet you fell in love with one only after meeting them once." Tears continued to stream down her face as the man's words pierced her heart like jagged blades, her obvious place and ironic actions seeping through her wholeness like poison.

She woke from her slumber with the same tears flowing freely down her face, the itch in her throat and tingling feeling in her chest coming back once more. The coughs she let out has alarmed the others who slept near her room. The lady's secret was now known to the others as they saw bloodied amber petals fall down her lips.

Tears pricked her eyes, her breathing labored, mind feeling hazy and numb. And, in the middle of the moonless night, she's coughed out a full flower and fell asleep in front of her companions, never to wake up again.

The whole harbor mourned for her death, as well as the village up north after knowing her passing. The amber colored flower never withered for a long time, being left to stay above the bed where the fair lady let out her last breath.

"It's Hanahaki." The doctor hailing from Inazuma said as he inspected the flower, "Unrequited love that's not been reciprocated nor curable if not operated and be plucked out by a professional themselves." A grim look painted the adeptus' face while disguised as another worshipper, not expecting that a new type of disease has plagued one of his people.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

Childe blinked as the atmosphere of his office became heavy, rendering him silent as Zhongli looked at the cup of tea in his hands that has grown cold after some time. "I..." The ginger haired man trailed off, not being able to think of other words to continue his sentence.

"I don't have much time left, do I?"

Zhongli continued to stay silent, as if not hearing the blue eyed man's question. It caused another minute of silence to go on as neither of them tries to break it. A sigh emanated from the former archon as he placed his cup on the table once more, the shuffling catching the harbinger's attention whilst acting as if his mind is on something else.

The amber eyed man cleared his throat as Childe turns his head to his companion. "Childe," Zhongli calls, making the other man hum in acknowledgement. "You... Only have a few months left. It is unsure whether how long the 'few months' really is, but there are ways to make that illness go away."

His words made the ginger bright up, "What are the ways to make this disappear?" He asked interestingly, making Zhongli gulp and wanting to take back what he just said. "Its..." He took a deep breath which concerned Childe, wondering whether Zhongli would take back what he said recently or make up an excuse to avoid the topic. Either way, it's definitely not gonna end up with him knowing the answers.

"It's either you confess to Lumine about your growing feelings, have yourself operated in a critical condition and forget about her and how to love once again, or loving another person to make the illness go away." Zhongli continues what he trailed off, silently looking at his knees as he waited for Childe's reaction and actions after knowing the ways of making it go away.

The harbinger looked at the former Geo Archon incredulously, his face painted with stupefaction as he tried to find the words that could describe what he was currently feeling. "H-HA?!" Childe exclaimed, looking at Zhongli as if he's grown two heads. "Theres no way I'll have myself operated and forget about Lumine, and there's NO WAY I'll love another person aside from her."

Zhongli sighed, looking up to meet Childe's gaze. "That's what I expected you to say." The ginger stayed silent as the amber eyed man continued what he's saying. "But are you going to confess to Lumine or just keep your feelings all to yourself?"

With those words, Childe fell into deep thinking, staying silent and now wondering what step he'll be doing next before his ailment gets worse. Should he choose the former, he'll have to expect rejection from the girl he loves. But if he choose the latter, he'll have to suffer months of lung-wrenching fits of cough because of the flower growing inside of him each and every day.

"Childe?" Zhongli calls out, concern lacing his voice as he looked at the ginger deep in thought.

The blue eyed man flinched at the sudden call of his name, making him jolt his head up and look at the amber eyed man adjacent to where he's sitting. Silence devoured the moment as the two men just stared at each other, waiting for one of them to speak out and continue the topic they're at.

Childe stood up from his seat, making Zhongli suddenly suck in air in order to control himself from wincing in shock. "I'm... Gonna go out and get some fresh air. You should go back home for now, sensei. I still need to wrap my mind around the information you gave me. Thank you for allowing me to meet with you even with your busy schedule."

And without hearing any words from Zhongli, Childe went out of his office then closed it's door, leaving the ex archon all by himself.

The ginger haired man walked aimlessly through the harbor then suddenly teleporting to Guyun Stone Forest in order to get fresh air all by himself. However, from a distance, he sees a gigantic ship just behind the biggest island in the archipelago.

Childe squinted his eyes to get a clearer look on who's on the deck just too see a familiar blonde girl leaning on the ship's railing, looking at the mellow moon hung just above the horizon. The harbinger's face lit up as he practically sprinted and climbed his way to the top of the closest mountain just to get an even more clearer view of the golden eyed girl.

After confirming that it really is her, he circled his mouth with his hands to make a makeshift megaphone and call out Lumine's attention. But, before he could even shout, a sudden flash of green made it's way to the ship's deck and behind the traveller's leaning figure.

The harbinger couldn't make out what they we're talking about, only squinting just to see Lumine's reactions to her private conversation with the short green guy. His serious demeanor dropped in a split second after the boy who suddenly showed up pulled the golden eyed girl in a hug, making his jealousy bubble up just like what happened after their dinner.

However, it was Lumine's actions that hurt much more, as she reciprocated the green guy's abrupt hug and also leaning her head on their shoulder.

He knows that he shouldn't feel like this; knowing that there's even nothing in between him and the blonde haired girl aside from being combat partners whenever they have free time and especially on Mondays.

Childe realized the emotion he's showing freely to the magnificent moon, making him mask it once more with an unreadable one as he descended the mountain with a heavy heart while reasoning that he's only like this because of his ailment.

Realization hit Childe like a brick as he remembers that it was his love for her that caused him to feel this way. He smiled solemnly to the sand that he walks on then took a last glance to where the ship Lumine was.

The current happenings in his life was as if the reenactment of what Zhongli has told him about. Except for the fact that none of them is an adepti, and it was him who had the Hanahaki, not the girl he likes.

Notes:

Hi y'all I guess? Kinda busy with stuff rn since my teachers just dropped tons of assignments. The adepti in Zhongli's flasbback is he, himself (if you don't really get it). And that flashback is not a canon thing, just some random thing that I made up for the sake of this fanfiction. I can't really see well because of my eyes being puffy from crying about a story I binged. If you wanna read the story, it's titled 'Shadow of Eudaimonia' in wattpad by KenDaniel (it's kinda fruity lol).

Chapter 3: departures and sadness

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shock painted Lumine's beautiful face as she saw Childe at a distance, walking all by himself in the wondrous stone forest in the middle of the night. She tensed in between her and Xiao's hug, which has alarmed the latter. He raised his head to look at Lumine to see her staring at the distance.

"Is something the matter?" Xiao asked, squinting his eyes to look at where Lumine was fixated.

There, the Yaksha also sees the familiar ginger haired man, making him furrow his brows at the sight. "Such boldness to still stay on the land that he once endangered." Xiao commented, gritting his teeth in the process. "He even got the nerve to walk peacefully on the grave of gods."

Lumine could only gulp down from the words that fell from the adepti's mouth, feeling a little alarmed at the fact that the boy speaking in much contempt. "Hey," The blonde, young lady called out, placing a hand on Xiao's cheek just to avert his gaze from the harbinger to her face. "Ignore him, he's not worth much of your time."

Xiao followed the words that fell off Lumine's mouth, ignoring Childe then leaning into the golden eyed girl's embrace. The hug continued for a few more seconds until the Yaksha lets go first, cheeks painted a bright red as he stared at the setting moon to calm himself down. "I..." Xiao sucked in a handful of air, letting it go with a shudder. "I have to go. Take care of yourself. And call me whenever you need my help."

The blonde traveller nodded her head with a hum, acknowledging Xiao's reminders and goodbye. And with that, a flash of green showed up once more, only to be heading further from the Alcor and towards the center of the nation. Lumine hugged herself, as if finding the warmth that she felt which was now replaced by the cold wind embracing her.

She turned her head to look at the now rising sun, painting the skies with different hues of the colors blue, yellow, and purple. Lumine heaved out a small sigh with a shudder, hands clasped on her shoulders as she walked to her's and Paimon's quarters.

A small smile erupted from her pursed lips as she looked at her pixie companion sleeping soundly on her side of the bed. The blonde girl gave her partner a soft pat on the head, urging the platinum blonde to continue sleeping peacefully. A tiny smile spread on Paimon's lips, shuffling in her sleep as to rearrange her sleeping posture.

Lumine could only stomach the giggle that tried to spill from her mouth, walking towards the windows of their room to draw the curtains in order to block the rays of the sun.S

he then picked up a pen and a piece of paper, writing down a short note about her venturing into the harbor once again and would come back before they set sail.

 

 

Don't worry about me,
I'll be in the harbor for a short time.
I have some things to buy before we sail.
I promise I'll be back on time.

—Lumine

 

The golden eyed lady finished her letter then placed it on the bedside table where Paimon can easily spot it. Knowing her companion, she'll definitely panic after not finding Lumine in places she's supposed to be.

The last time an event like this happened, Paimon has cried non-stop even after they found each other. It wasn't a nice sight to see —the pixie cried herself to sleep, mumbling about the blonde girl leaving her and not returning ever again.

"I'll be back later, Paimon." Lumine whispered to the pixie, petting the platinum blonde's head before going out of their room and going back to Liyue Harbor.

The bustling sounds of the city filled her ears once again, the familiarity of the city setting in everytime she sets foot upon the harbor that stood proudly even for hundreds of years.

Lumine inhaled the air lingering in the beautiful city, as if imprinting the smells and the structures of the establishments in her head. She pulled out the list of the things she's supposed to buy then set off to the places where's she could get them.

As the sun still hung lazily on the horizon, the chillness of the air still lingered on her bare skin, making her shudder visibly. But even with that, Lumine continued on getting the things she'll buy, making stops to greet the friends she came across with.

"Here, take this book about the Inazuman customs. I'm sure it'll come handy." Xingqiu said when they crossed their paths just near the staircase below the Wanwen Bookhouse. Lumine couldn't turn down the young swordsman's offering, ending to her accepting it with a smile on her face.

A beaming smile painted the chef's face, eye's twinkling in excitement upon seeing the golden eyed lady stop by the restaurant that her and her father runs. "Lumine! Good morning! How are you? And what's with that bag?" Xiangling asks, staring intensely at the things the blonde carries.

"Ah, these? Some supplies I bought before I go to Inazuma. Can't go on adventures forgetting about important things to survive, haha." Lumine chuckled, realigning her grasp on the handles of her goods. Xiangling nods at the traveller's answer then walked to the cabinet placed in her kitchen.

She mumbled unto herself while searching for something, "Hmm, where was it again..."

Meanwhile, a questioning look engulfed Lumine's features as she stared at the young chef finding something in the cabinet. "Ah! There it is!" A triumphant sentence escaped Xiangling's mouth as she then went back in front of the golden eyed girl.

Xiangling gave Lumine a cylinder can, a wide smile almost covering half of her face. "You might not be able to get fresh Liyuean specialties so I'll give you this compact container that keeps vegetables and the like for at least 2 months. You don't need to worry though! I still have lots of containers like that and I really want to give you one."

Lumine's questioning look became a soft smile as she stared at the intricate patterned container she now holds, its metallic outline shining from reflecting the rays of the half risen sun. "Thank you, Xiangling." A giggle erupted from the ebony haired girl, "You're welcome! You should get going now, or else you'll be left here by the members of the Alcor."

With a nod, Lumine left the restaurant. Continuting to recieve tons of gifts from the people she met and became acquaintances with, making it harder and harder to carry the things she's holding all by herself.

After carrying—more like dragging— the bag she brought with her to the sidewalk near the entrace of the harbor, Lumine collapsed beside it, sweat glistening due to the lethargic start of her day.

"Hah, when has this bag become so heavy." The blonde girl mumbled to herself, wiping away the sweat that covered her skin with a handkerchief she always carries with her. "Shouldn't this be easy to carry?" She asked particularly no one, eyebrows furrowed while glaring at the bag as if blaming it for consuming more of her energy than she thought.

A snicker materialized from a person not far from Lumine, eyes fixated on her exhausted form. With a scrunched up forehead, the golden eyed girl turned to the source of the sound. Only to find out that it's the boy she saw walking on the stone forest hours ago. Her gaze softened.

"Childe..." Lumine breathed out.

The man flashed her a smile that could light up the whole of Teyvat and could even possibly reach the land where the gods' gaze does not fall. "Hey girlie!" The harbinger greeted with a hand raised and waving, walking with pride and boastfulness towards her sitting form.

The blonde traveller waved back with a small 'hey', focusing much of her attention to her primary predicament. The blue eyed man noticed her concentration more on the bag she's with, painting his face with a slight frown. Childe leaned on the pole near him with his arms crossed, "So," he started. "What are you doing here? Aren't you supposed to set sail today?" He queried, head tilted slightly.

"Just here to fetch some materials I might need for the trip." Lumine replied blandly, fixing her bag and finding ways to make it lighter and easier to carry. She turned her head to look at Childe with both of her eyebrows raised, "What about you? Any particular Fatui work that might endanger the common folk's lives and require my assistance?" She teased with a snarky tone and playful smile.

The ginger haired man chuckled at her remark, making him cover his mouth with his hand. "That's kinda out of topic, ojou-chan. But seriously though, I haven't recieved any orders from the Tsaritsa. So I might as well be on standby and wait for one that'll dictate my next move."

Lumine hummed at his answer, now trying to carry the bag with her small frame. "That's nice to hear, I suppose. Not much extra work for me then." She replied as groans escaped her rosy lips.

Childe let out another chuckle at the golden eyed lady's words, walking towards her and offering his assistance to carry her baggage instead. "Let me just carry that, you're just tiring yourself out from trying to carry it." And without hearing out any objections from Lumine, he took the bag from her grasp then slung it over his shoulder, letting out an inaudible grunt afterwards.

"Hey!" The blonde protested, eyebrows furrowed and lips puckered up into a small pout whilst watching the taller man carry her bag with ease. Childe chuckled at her reaction.

He turned his body to look at her, "Come on, ojou-chan! We wouldn't want you missing your lift to the land of eternity don't we~?" The harbinger reminded, letting out a wink that caught Lumine off guard and dusting her cheeks a light shade of pink. Fortunately for her, the color isn't that obvious due to her complexion and shadows blocking the rays of the sun.

Walking to the nearest teleport waypoint in comfortable silence and short bickerings, the two of them touched the mechanism and teleported to the waypoint closest the crux fleet.

A sigh escaped Childe's mouth as he plopped the bag carefully on the grassy land, wiping away small beads of sweat that accumulated on his temples and forehead. "I guess this is where I'll see you for the last time in weeks?" He guessed, his tone laced with a small amount of sadness and nervousness.

Lumine looks back at him with a mellow smile, "Yeah... Meeting the archons and reuniting with my brother." She looked at the waves dancing on the shores, "I have to do those things for him."

Straightening his expression, the ginger placed a hand on the blonde girl's shoulder, making her turn and linger her gaze on his serious face. "Hey, you'll be with him soon, alright?"

She nodded her head, "Mhm, thank you, Childe."

After removing his hand on Lumine's shoulder, a blush quickly spread across the man's face, tinting his complexion a deep shade of red. 'What the hell, what the hell?! I wasn't ready for that attack!' His inner voice screamed as he continued to turn redder and redder as if his blush could still be brighter than it already is.

He's never expected that only one say of his name could have this much impact, rendering him blushing uncontrollably and leaving a fuzzy feeling in his chest. It was just like the feeling of adrenaline rushing through his veins, making him excited and ready to fight.

For someone who's felt this way for the first time in his life, Childe could tell that it was refreshing— as if comforted by the soft breeze of the wind; as if being rinsed by the pure waters in Luhua. A feeling that he could indulge himself into, not wanting to leave and keep on deluging himself in the heartwarming feeling.

But, as sweet as this emotion can be, it can also turn into a double-edged sword, leaving a bittersweet feeling that could even drag on and plunge you into the depths of unending despair. It was what Childe was currently feeling— the feeling of knowing that he has a newfound purpose, but staying even though it could only hurt him more.

The harbinger was about to heave out a heavy sigh from his lungs, but chose not to. In fear of making Lumine worry as she was about to board the Crux and leave for Inazuma.

"LUMINE!! CHILDE!!" A high pitched voice hollered, making them look at the source of the voice and see Paimon flying towards them with her headdress in her hand.

Both the traveller and the harbinger looked at the platinum blonde as she placed her crown on top of her head once more, their expressions mixed with confusion, gladness, and somehow, if one would look very closely, they could se a small hint of disappointment.

The pixie catched her breath for a couple seconde before looking at the two, eyebrows furrowed and lips pulled into a pout. "Where have you been, Lumine?! Paimon's been looking around for you." She grumbled, hands turned into fists.

"I went to the harbor, Paimon. Haven't you seen the note I left for you?" Lumine replies, hands on her hips as she looked at her companion with an unamused look.

"You haven't left a note for Paimon, though!"

"I left a note at the bedside table you, emergency food."

"Paimon's not an emergency food okay?!"

The blonde traveller and the ginger just chuckled at Paimon's reactions, hands covering their mouth to minimize the fits of laughter coming from them. "Hey!" The pixie shouted once more as the other two calmed themselves down in order not to irritate the floating one.

"Alright, alright. But I left a note for you on the bedside table, that's what I'm sure of." Lumine says then turned to look at Childe who's just staring at the two with his arms crossed and weight shifted to one side. "And Childe," She continued as the harbinger hums in response.

"Take care alright? You owe me a spar once I get back here in Liyue." The golden eyed lady continued with a playful punch that she landed on the taller guy's shoulder, making the latter crack up a laugh. "Yeah, yeah. But shouldn't you be the one to owe me a spar?"

Lumine rolled her eyes at his question, "I don't know, I just know that's you owe me one." She replied with a wondering tone.

Before the two could start another round of bickering, Paimon inserted herself in between the two and their conversation. "Hey, hey, that should be enough bantering." She stated then looked at the blonde, "And we need to get back to the Alcor now, y'know? Beidou and the other's are waiting for us!"

The traveller's eyes widened in realization as she scurried to hold the slings of the bag that Childe carried a while ago then sprinted as if the heaviness of the bag was nothing, making the ginger question his strength. 'Wasn't she almost unable to carry that a while ago?' He thought, eyebrows furrowed and a questioning look plastered on his face.

Although she slowly became smaller and smaller due to the distance between them, the man could see her use the power of Geo in order to make makeshift pillars to step on and easily sprint her way to the ship.

He ran towards her direction, only to be stopped by the ocean on his feet. "Lumine!" Childe shouted, making the girl turn and look at him from the ship's deck. They stared at each other for sometime as the ginger felt his breathing turn shallow, finding the right words to tell the girl what he's supposed to say.

Childe gulped as he looked at the blonde lady's golden eyes, his blue orbs conveying the words he's unable to say nor express. He could clearly feel the ache in his heart as he stares at the questioning look the girl he loves give out. If she wasn't someone who have an ultimate goal, if she would've just been a normal person born in this world, he's definitely asked for her hand already.

But if she was someone ordinary, he wouldn't have laid his eyes on her —he wouldn't have fallen for her. It was really unfair; how the world works, how it wanted things to act in the way it would hurt somebody. Why does it hurt to love someone?

The questions in his mind continued to swirl his thoughts into jumbled words, making him unable to voice out the things he wished he could say. Childe could only bite on his lips before opening them to speak. "Take... take care on your journey, Traveller." The simple words left his mouth, eyes painted with evident yearning as Lumine looks back at him with the same expression.

"I will..."

The harbinger only nodded at her response before letting out a wave then turned to walk away. The ship then boarded towards the land of eternity, its silhouette becoming smaller and vague as it treaded the large expanse of waters along its way.

Childe heaved out heavy breaths as he leaned onto a large rock, hand pressed over his chest as his legs gave out on him. He could feel his throat burning —itching. He could feel immense pain from his lungs, his chest spasming as he tries his best to keep receiving oxygen.

Tears pricked his eyes as it rolled down his cheeks in response to what he's currently feeling. The tranquility of the surroundings contrasted his body's current state —he's submerged in deep and immense pain, coursing through his whole being and feeling as if he's being pricked by thousands of needles all over.

'Hurts,' Childe's mind registers as he then started to cough out vigorously and hurting his throat in the process. He couldn't comprehend anything else aside from the agony he feels, completely unaware of the cracking of the ground not far from him and a familiar amber eyed man scurrying towards him in an unceremonious manner.

He almost wasn't able to recognize the person who's rubbing his back until he felt the familiar texture of the sleeves on his arm, concluding that it was the previous archon of the nation.

"S-sensei...? I-is that— "Stop talking, it's already difficult for you to breathe." Zhongli cuts his question off, demeanor serious as he tries to help the ginger cough up the petals stuck in his throat.

One...

Two...

The golden petals fell from Childe's mouth to the warm sand as the coughs slowly ceased, leaving the terrain with its natural sound. The brown haired man frowned at the sight of the petals, worry evident and another incomprehensible emotion playing in his eyes.

The harbinger fell asleep from the excessive coughing and pain blooming in his chest, leaving him unconscious with dried tears lacing his pale skin.

Zhongli sighed at the sight of the eleventh vunerable and hurting, pitying his condition and unreciprocated feelings blooming even further. "Why is it that I am feeling once more what I felt hundreds of years ago; the painful feeling of slowly losing someone with the hands of time and sickness?" The god of geo asked himself under his breath.

Notes:

Sorry for the late update. Kinda busy with life last month— or is it year? Anyways, I might not be able to upload a chapter weekly (as if anyone's really hooked on this... Story lol) since yeah, life stuff.

Anyways, I finally got Xiao omg TT and I won 50/50 as well!! A great way to start the year. And I'm off to getting Kazuha and Venti next! Hope they really come home.

Chapter 4: cold blood under pressure

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Suffocation —Lumine could feel it. The hairs at the back of her neck rising up due to the nature of the land. Constant lightning strikes making her flinch as the element of electro swings in the air. Almost everywhere in the islands of the nation of Inazuma makes Lumine feel claustrophobic, and it was something that she's never asked for.

Another nation, another quest to meet the land's archon —a cycle that goes on and on everytime she arrives in a foreign nation. Even the people in this locked up nation is a lot harsher than the people she's met in Mondstadt and Liyue, and she doesn't like it.

Everyone's trying to take advantage of her, everyone wanted her to help them even if its against her will. 'But I only wanted to meet your archon...' Lumine thought to herself as she placed her curled up hands on her head.

Panicked, Paimon went beside her travelling partner then placed her small hand on Lumine's back. "Hey now, let's calm down. You're not alone in this, Lumine. You have Paimon! Even though Paimon can't do anything to help you in fighting enemies, Paimon's here to be your friend and travelling companion! So don't cry now, it hurts Paimon too."

The golden eyed lady looked up to the pixie with tears brimming her eyes and threatening to fall, she sniffled. The platinum blonde girl felt her chest tighten due to the expression painting her friend's face. Tears now started to from in Paimon's eyes as she threw herself to Lumine, hugging her tightly as if it's goodbye.

Paimon's action comforted the golden eyed girl, reciprocating the hug as she bawled her eyes out. "Paimon why?! Why did he say that we have enough time?! Why did he side with the abyss?! Why do I have to put up with everyone's orders to me?! Why Paimon, why?!" Tears continued to stream down her face as her screams echoed through the area.

"Lumine..." The pixie cries back, combing her small fingers through the other girl's short hair.

Rain fell down heavily, rinsing the whole land with both its comforting and mystical essence. The sound of their sniffles were drowned by the downpour's noise, rendering them undetected as they slumped down the roots of a tree.

Lumine continued on bemoaning her pains as she travelled from nation to nation, until she eventually fell asleep on Paimon's caring embrace. The platinum pixie then made the blonde lady rest her head on her lap, as she continued on caressing the blonde's hair to ease her pain.

Without any protection from the thunderstorm, Lumine unconscious, and Paimon unable to leave her companion behind, they are now completely soaked by the pouring rain as the lightning strikes hitting the ground is now something that their ears were used to.  They we're unable to set up their camp nor make something that they can temporarily use to hide from the downfall.

An unfamiliar blueish blonde man in a kimono stopped in front of the travelling partners, towering over them while holding an umbrella that blocked of some rain in the process. Paimon's eyes widened in fright as she felt intimidated by the man's icy gaze even though he held a soft expression on his remarkable features.

He crouched down to look at the pixie clearer which made her even more alarmed and making her hold a handful of Lumine's hair tightly. The latter responed with a soft groan which placed a smile on the man's flawless face.

The person who stopped by reached out his hand holding the umbrella towards Paimon who, in return, gave out a questioning look on her face. "Take it, so you two can protect yourselves from the rain." He muttered, enough for the pixie to head but not wake up Lumine.

Reluctantly, the pixie took the umbrella from the man's hand with an audible word of thanks. He only nodded in response before standing up once more and walking away with a fan covering half of his face.

Paimon delivered him off with her eyes following him, but only until he was then completely covered with fog. However, the platinum haired pixie was sure that she saw a crest of a flower enclosed by a hexagon on the man's chestplate. And that was the only thing that she can recall before she, as well, fell asleep while holding the umbrella on top of her and Lumine's head.

On the other hand, sweat dripped from the harbinger's skin, pants escaping his mouth as he gripped his water blades tighter. It's been hours —9 hours to be exact —since he started his nonstop sparring. But not even one new wound could be found on his pale skin that glimmered under the yellowish lighting of the arena.

'Weak.' Childe thought, scoffing before attacking the next fatui that charged on him and making them stumble away from the center of the arena.

It has been a few days since Lumine's departure to the land of eternity, and a few days since his last hanahaki attack. He's been running his life like the usual before he met the golden eyed girl; paperworks, sparring with other fatui for hours, walk around the harbor and some other uneventful things he'd do next.

 

It's an understatement to say that he's bored.

 

His fights with the other fatui members was his own way of trying to forget about Lumine, even just a little for a short period of time. The stupidest way, considering that he chose the Golden House —the place where he and Lumine spar every monday —to be the arena where he held his sparring with other fatuus.

Childe frowned deeply, as his frown now becoming a scowl. "Leave, all of you." He growled. None of the fatui dared to disobey the harbinger's orders, scurrying towards the exit of the Golden House without a single glance back.

He dematerialized his water blades before slumping down the floor, fatigue now catching up to him as he steadied his ragged breaths. Childe stared at the ceiling of the place, following the golden lines that wound through the walls of the vicarage.

A flash of her golden eyes staring at him showed up in his mind, he exhaled sharply as his scowl now softened into a small, genuine smile. He can't help but be worried of Lumine as she went on with her journey, but after remembering the incredible things that she's done, some of the worries would be washed away just like the flow of a waterfall would go on.

The cold, hard ground on his back felt twice colder due to the sweat that covered his entire being, making him sit up groggily and remove his upper clothes. He then threw them on the space beside him without any care.

Childe then turned his focus to his steady breathing, closing his eyes as he listened to his heartbeat that ringed clearly to his ears. It was the same heart —beating to keep him alive, and the same heart that beat crazily as he fell to the hellhole that changed his whole life. It was something that he wonders why it still hasn't given up on him.

Amidst his deep thoughts, a familiar clinking of heels made its way closer and closer to him. Childe didn't dare turn around and confirm his suspicions, but instead, he just scoffed and rolled his eyes from annoyance.

"Mr. Childe," From the sound of the voice, her cheery epitome, and sense of familiarity to the harbinger, the ginger haired man could only use every ounce of his patience just to put up with his secretary's attitude.

He chose not to turn around and face her, keeping on pursing his lips into a thin line in order to control himself from spitting some cumbersome words. Nor did he try to answer his secretary's call of his name as to make her lose interest in talking with such an uncaring harbinger.

The secretary only frowned at Childe's response, as if insulted by the action he did. "Mr. Childe, I am calling you." She said with more firmness.

A scoff escaped the harbinger's mouth as he turned his head to look at the overly confident secretary of his, "Get out of my sight, you're unwelcome here."

She only rolled her eyes at his order before crossing her arms on her chest, "Whatever. Your presence is needed in the Northland Bank, Ekaterina says that she have something to report to you." His secretary informed, shifting her weight to one side then started to tap her foot on the polished flooring of the Golden House.

A groan escaped Childe as he propped himself to stand up. He stared at the distance in front of him before swiftly summoning one of his water blades and pointing it at the lady's throat dangerously close, as if one wrong move and she'll have her neck gushing out blood and have a chance at dying itself.

The secretary's breath hitched, fear creeping to her wholeness as she stared at the blue blades as close as it could be to her line of sight. "Don't try to test my patience, woman. I'm not the nicest person out there. And you already know the protocol everytime information from the motherland comes here, why bother notifying me?" Childe said, seething anger and annoyance dripping from his voice's dark tone.

Satisfied with the lady's reaction, he made his water blade disappear in thin air then looked back at the distance, "Leave. Now." The harbinger ordered as fear enveloped the once audacious secretary that now sprinted her way towards the Golden House's exit.

Childe slumped back on the floor, hands supporting his weight as he tilted his head to look at the ceiling. His breathing was the only thing that he could hear make any sound in the spacious infrastructure, as he continued to stay silent and let his incomprehensible thoughts get the best of him for the meantime.

 

- - - - - - - - - -

 

After their unceremonious sleep out in the woods during a rainy day, Lumine and Paimon then continued on their quest of meeting the Electro Archon. They met up with Thoma, a famous 'fixer' and housekeeper of the Kamisato Clan at the Komore Teahouse, then to the Kamisato Estate itself where the Shirisagi Himegimi herself asked Lumine of three favors in order to convince her to join their rebellion against the Vision Hunt Decree.

Left with no other choice, the blonde traveller could only do the favors as she empathized with the people who lost their vision to the decree. Enraged and fueled by the desire to bring justice to the people who lost their ambitions, Lumine then sided with the rebellion and played out her part.

With Thoma's vision being the 100th the decree would take, Lumine stepped into the small ceremony to retrieve it, taking away the spotlight from the Narukami Ogosho herself. She then fought with the Shogunate which knocked her unconscious due to a strong strike known as the Musuo no Hitotachi. Thoma came to her rescue as they then fled to some place near the teahouse.

Lumine and Paimon then went to the Resistance camp led by the General of the Watatsumi troops, Gorou. After a few events and the like, She goes to Watatsumi Island itself and things progressed the way it is supposed to. And then the event progressed as the Resistance finds out that suspicious sponsor was the Fatui and was supplying their army with Delusions.

The happenings fueled Lumine's rage even more, as she sought after the mastermind of the evil plan. The Balladeer, the number sixth of the Fatui Harbingers, was waiting at the end of the search. She let out her wrath on him, only to be set back and pass out on the spot.

Multiple things happened in a blur, pressure building up on the blonde traveller's shoulders as she treaded the path just to talk to the nation's archon. It was too much —all too much. It was completely suffocating.

And she was about to lose it after seeing La Signora, the eighth Harbinger, being defeated in front of her. She was a powerful woman that even got the nerve to kick Mondstadt's archon in the guts. And yet, she was killed by the same archon she was negotiating with a while ago.

Entering the Plane of Euthymia for the second time, the fight being interrupted by Guuji Yae herself, and the defeat of the Electro Archon from the one on one fight between her and the golden eyed traveller.

The Vision Hunt Decree was then abolished and everyone who surrendered or had their vision taken away has retrieved it and reunited with the precious things that takes them a step closer to the gods.

Lumine and Paimon could only slump down on the bed beside each other in pure lethargy. Their muscles ached and throbbed from the commissions they received to go to Seirai Island then in Tsurumi Island next. A sheen of sweat covered their bare skins while they stared at the ceiling of their room.

"Hey Lumine," the platinum blonde haired pixie called without turning her head. The other hums in response.

"Paimon still pity Ruu after we've seen him depart. The awful things the townspeople did to him are very unforgivable." The pixie complains, eyebrows furrowed while pouting at nobody. The golden eyed lady could only deliver a small, almost inaudible 'yeah' as a reply.

Silence engulfed the duo as they then slowly drifted to sleep which was interrupted by another problem that rose.

A loud clap of thunder not far from where they lay comfortably fell down, shocking people and covering their wholeness with fear from what just escalated. Not long after the lightning struck, fat beads of rain then started to fall, as if a storm approaches the land of eternity.

Loud knocks at the door of their room caught Lumine completely off guard, making her gasp and summon her sword in an instant.

"Traveller?! Are you inside?!" A booming female voice echoed through their room, authority lacing from the utterance of the question. 'Kujou Sara?' Lumine thought, dashing to the door in order to open it. A look of relief passed by the tall lady's face as it reverted back to a steel one.

The blonde girl gulped, "What is it? Is there something wrong?"

The electro archer nodded her head firmly, unwavering even from the sudden drop of thunder that ringed through their ears. "Yes. The Narukami Ogosho suddenly had an outburst and it's causing a thunderstorm to ravage the land! We are in need of your help, you are the only one who could stop her!"

Lumine could only purse her lips from the sudden request. She was exhausted— it was beyond that, she is very battered from the travels that she had and now, her aid is needed once more. She swallowed her sigh then nodded once, summoning her sword and dashing out of the inn to the location of the Shogun.

Screaming, crying, the booms of thunder, as well as the loud and heavy drops of rain that pricks her skin could only make her feel even more tired. The desire to just ignore every single person that requires her help is consuming her bit by bit. Heavy gasps of breath were scratching her throat and making her lungs burn.

The blonde traveller wasn't transported to the Plane of Euthymia like she already experienced twice. It was... Different. As if something was amiss and it's a big puzzle piece that's missing. Her fight with the Electro Archon this time was done in the open fields, where the common folk would be endangered when fighting with one another.

 

And it alarmed Lumine very much.

 

Even though these people has forced her to help them, they are still people nonetheless. Being oppressed and suffocated by this type of ruling and environment would also change someone's perspective in life. And that is what's currently bugging her.

Dodge after dodge, attack after attack. The golden eyed lady could only preserve herself through the fight due to her current situation; tired and being called to assist once more even though she still haven't rested up and fully regained her strength.

And the nature of the environment didn't even side with her; a thunderstorm ruled by the Raiden Shogun to struck her down and her only. It seems as if the shogun is still caring about the humans that depended on her, that she only decided to fight with the renowned traveller instead.

Lumine wiped the side of her mouth with her hand, eyebrows furrowed to see clearly through the rain that started to form a fog. The continuous strikes of thunder ringged through her ears, making it hard for her to hear what the shogun is exactly saying.

She gripped her sword hard, making her knuckles turn white from the amount of force she exerts. Her silky, blonde hair was lambasted by the howling winds in all directions, making it even hard for her to see. She raked a hand through her hair to pull it away from her sight.

The Narukami Ogosho walked on air whilst holding her electro-coated sword in one hand, eyes and ends of her hair glowing from the power that surges through her wholeness. Her cold, lilac eyes stared at the traveller's golden ones, an unnoticed emotion filling the purple orbs that seems to see through every single thought.

The Raiden Shogun raised her hand holding her katana, violet-colored electric current surging through it that came from the gray-colored skies. She gulped while looking at the blonde traveller that had her attention caught by someone from behind, a twinge of pain blossoming on the shogun's chest as she lowered her weapon towards Lumine's direction.

"LUMINE WATCH OUT!" Paimon shouted with all her might from the blonde's back, catching the blonde off guard and making her lower her weapon after heaing those words. The pixie was seen a few feet from where Kujou Sara is standing, own weapon in hand as she stares at the duo with great precaution in care something might happen.

The golden eyed lady turned around to give her attention back to the shogun, only to see her making a downward slash with her electrified sword in hand. A gasp only escaped Lumine's mouth as she was unable to dodge the sudden attack that forced her to collapse and plunge into a dreamless sleep in shock.

"LUMINE!" Childe screamed as she shot up from his sleep, only to be welcomed by the silence that filled the darkness of his own room. He placed his head on his hand, trying to recover from the dream that struck fear to his heart.

'The dream... felt so real...' The ginger thought through his heaves of breath, sweat covering his entire being as he tried to recollect himself.

Notes:

It might be long til my next update qwq since I'm still getting myself through my studies lol.

Chapter 5: afternoon tea and night queries

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The quaint aesthetic of the Liyuean buildings that surrounded the teahouse gave off a warm atmosphere. The bustling streets of the harbor that stretches like a winding phoenix extends as far as the eyes can reach. Hues of orange and red bathed the whole city from the slowly setting sun, as if marking that the day ends once the bright star starts it's slumber under the widespread seas.

He grumbles, eyes squinting as the rays of the afternoon sun hits his eyes. With his uncommon hat, he blocked the light then turned his head to the other direction.

Childe looks at his company with the teacup he holds suspended a few centimeters near his mouth, controlling the laugh that might burst out from him once he lets out his breath. A glare was shot towards his direction coming from his companion.

"Why don't you mind your own business, weakling?" Scaramouche mutters under his breath, inaudible to others but could be heard clearly when situated in a close proximity.

The ginger placed his teacup back to the table, closing his eyes for a very short while then looked back to the indigo-eyed Inazuman male sitting adjacently to where he is. "Damn, I can't believe that you still haven't changed even after revisiting that country where you came from." Childe chuckles, slowly shaking his head.

"To hell with that country, I only went there to retrieve what was supposed to be retrieved." Scaramouche replies, leaning back on his chair and crossing his legs.

 

The electro archon's gnosis...

 

That was the thing that's to be retrieved. And it was a successful mission of theirs... But also with a dash of disappointment. Although they have gotten their hands on that special object, a comrade's life was the exchange.

Signora— or should they say, the Crimson Witch of Embers— has been defeated by the Electro Archon herself. The fatui could not even take back to Snezhnaya a handful of dust in order to provide proof of the number eight's fall.

Mixed emotions filled the icy nation, especially the Cryo Archon herself who cherishes Signora out of the Eleven Harbingers that works underneath her.

Silence filled the two harbinger's table, as if mourning for the death of a comrade that they couldn't really count on as one. A frown painted Scaramouche's fair face, hat making sounds as he turned his head to the storyteller's way.

Childe let out a small huff of air, a hand then covering his mouth as he stared at his half empty cup of tea.  "Where do you think the Traveller would go next? Would they go next to Fontaine? Sumeru?"

"Oh I don't know. I don't really care about them that much."

The blue eyed man could only glower at the other harbinger's reply, only to calm himself down in the next second. His thoughts then started to linger on Lumine's image in his mind. The many memories that he hold onto dearly as he awaits for her return to the Land of Contracts. And...

 

The feelings that also await patiently for her...

 

He sucked in a handful of air, which has not went on unnoticed by the other man beside him. "The fuck are you doing?" Scaramouche hissed, eyes squinted and glaring at him in disgust while his arms are crossed on his chest.

"Oh shut it you Balladeer." Childe rolled his eyes, a small huff of air escaping his mouth. The other guy could only roll his eyes and scoff in response, before continuing on listening to the storyteller and the story he's enunciating.

Their afternoon continued in silence, as the two of them only listened to the speaker until the sixth of the evening. Both of the harbingers stood up from their seats, two different and unique auras radiating from them.

The indigo eyed man fixed his hat, making faint clinking sounds from the ornaments attached on them and gathering a small crowd due to his looks and exoticness. They walked out of the teahouse in silence, Scaramouche following Childe's lead to the restaurant where they booked a reservation.

The blue eyed man unconsciously placed a hand on his chest, looking at the faces and buildings him and his companion passes by. A familiar tingling sensation slowly started to bloom on his chest, making him furrow his eyebrows and look around swiftly in hopes of finding a place to disappear into and do his Hanahaki's stupid business.

Scaramouche has already noticed of his co-harbinger's actions since the time they stayed inside the teahouse that quite piqued his interest. He looked at Childe's actions arduously, in hopes of getting even one hint of what is actually going on with the ginger.

'You're quite suspicious with your actions right now, Tartaglia...' The Inazuma-born male thought to himself, secretly following and observing the other guy with his sharp eyes.

Childe stopped his tracks, making the other one stop as well. He removed the hand he over his chest before turning around and looking straight into the sixth harbinger's eyes. The other raised his eyebrow in silent questioning as to why has he stopped walking, still observing his companion secretly.

The ginger cleared his throat before speaking, "Can I ask you to go to the Liuli Pavilion first? I forgot that I have something to get in this hour today. I'll catch up as fast as I can." Silently, he prayed for the indigo eyed man to agree and not ask other things about his small detour, wishing that the other harbinger would not know about his health's crazy and unexpected turn.

Scaramouche just gave out a look of disinterest then waved his hand with a groan. "Ugh, fine. Go on with your small business now, I'd rather eat my fill alone." Childe just nodded his head in return then walked past the other after placing a hand on his shoulder, his silent way of giving thanks to someone close to him.

The Inazuman just followed the ginger with his eyes as he disappeared into one of the alleyways of the harbor, planting a seed of suspicion within the Balladeer as he furrowed his eyebrows in slight confusion.

'It might be best to stealthily follow him if I wish to know of his secret.' Scaramouche thought to himself as he then took silent steps towards the way his companion disappeared into.

At first, there was nothing suspicious of the place Childe has gone into; empty wooden boxes stacked together, wooden barrels beside it, and a thick layer of dust covering them at the same time.

Scaramouche took notice of the things he passes by, in hopes of getting a bit more information and evidence if ever he might need to use threats and proof to extract the answers he need once he confronts the other.

Only the crunch of the dust underneath his footsteps ringed clearly in his ears, making him become even more cautious of his steps as he slowly made his way through the alleyway.

At first, there was nothing but silence enveloping the entire area, making the Balladeer arch one of his eyebrows in full suspicion until fits of agressive yet muffled coughs interrupted the stillness of the place.

With wide eyes full of confusion and questioning, he peered to the other turn of the road while still continuing to hide. There, he sees to famed eleventh harbinger of Snezhnaya, the famous war machine than came to be after falling to the abbys, in such a pitiful state.

Childe continued to cough, oblivious of the fact that one of his co-harbingers is staring at him in pure bewilderment not far from his location.

Gripping the chest area of his clothes, limbs fluctuating from the intensity of his coughs, and the other hand desperately trying to cover his quivering mouth. Scaramouche would've laughed due to the ginger's situation. But the golden petals that fell from the ginger's mouth has not made him do so.

Hanahaki...

The word reverberated through his mind like a scream made inside the depths of a cave. Indigo colored eyes glistened with shock as multiple petals continued to fall from Childe's mouth.

Is it guilt? Is he more curious of the situation rather than finding it as an entertainment? 'No...' the Inazuman thought to himself, 'Hanahaki should have disappeared hundreds of years ago. I am sure of it.' With his eyebrows knitted together, he stayed in his place while pondering about the events that took place in the far past.

But, before he was able to do so, the rumbling of the ground pulled him from his memory lane. He stared up only to see a brown haired gentleman cradle the suffering Tartaglia in his arms. The action alarmed Scaramouche very much, making him show himself up and stop the unfolding scene that's happening.

Zaps of electro lingered in the air, as he summons a handful of the element then shoots it in the direction of the ex-archon. With a quick and flawless move, Zhongli summoned his jade shield to protect both him and the harbinger from the attack and the electric blast.

"Get away from him." The Balladeer hissed, small lightnings dancing around him as he ought to summon another ball of electro to throw at the other two's way.

The amber eyed man took grasp of the situation well, coming to a quick conclusion that the Inazuman male is a companion of the harbinger. With a small sigh, Zhongli extended his hand to Scaramouche's way, summoning geo spikes that made the other dodge the attacks and go even farther than where Childe is coughing vigorously.

After sure of the fact that the indigo eyed man would not try to attack any longer, he withdrew his extended hand. "You are one of the eleven harbingers, I suppose?" The former geo archon asked, trying to calm the other one's coughs in order to alleviate the pain the hanahaki is inflicting.

"And then what?"

The brown haired man could only grumble silently from the other's answer his question. But it was somewhat already confirmation of his suspicions that made things a little more easier than fighting over a sick man. "Then I think that it's not worth it to fight over Childe who is as if coughing like his life is on line."

Scaramouche seemed to calm down a little bit then dispelled the element of electro that surrounded him and the other two. He walked cautiously towards the two in case of sudden attacks from the man he has just seen for the first time in his life.

"Let's just bring this idiotic guy who contracted hanahaki to his room and make him rest. I still have a lot of questions about you and your identity as well as to why have you showed up in the scene deliberately." The Balladeer said straightforwardly, making Zhongli stop himself from bursting out laughing due to the Inazuman's description of Childe.

- - - - - - - - - -

Zhongli tucked in bed the ginger haired man, unfazed by the way the other harbinger is staring impatiently at him. His amber eyes locked into the other's indigo ones, an unsaid agreement forming within the two of them to continue their talking somewhere far from the room.

Scaramouche leaned unto the balcony's railing, staring straight to where the Land of Eternity is supposed to be located. "Hanahaki is a sickness that came from Inazuma, spanning from at least two to three thousand years ago. Many were claimed by that sickness, and those that had them were ostracized by humanity."

The geo wielder could only listen quietly to the Inazuman speaking, hearing and intaking word per word that fell off the sixth harbinger's mouth with admirable understanding. "I wandered off in Inazuma for hundreds of years in the past, meeting at least a few people who contracted hanahaki and had asked me to end their suffering. I had freed that land from the graps of that illness, sure of the fact that no one was able to escape my waltzing blades."

His hat tinkled as he raised his head to look to the starry sky, inhaling the sweet scent of the nighttime that has fully enveloped the Land of Contracts. "The last lady with hanahaki had a crying face in full agony while begging me to end her life. Even though blood painted the scenery around us, that lady continued to cling unto my kimono, screaming and pulling on my clothing to end her misery."

"I had ended that lady's life with my own hands, and the hanahaki has quieted down in Inazuma for the next hundred years to come. But I have not expected for a co-harbinger to be infected with hanahaki, even though he has not even stepped on Inazuma ever in his life." Zhongli pondered over the Balladeer's last sentence, a hand placed on his chin as he looked at the balcony's floor.

"I suppose this is where the first lady with hanahaki steps in." The previous archon spoke through the quiet winds, making the other straighten himself and look at the brunet— in pure bewilderment— who has just spoken his thought.

Through the deafening silence, Scaramouche exhaled, shock still evident on his fair face. "What?"

The geo wielder nodded once, looking straight to the harbinger and fully confirming what he has recently heard. "There is a case of Hanahaki here in Liyue, one that occured around hundreds of years ago."

"No wonder..."

Zhongli arched his eyebrow after hearing those words. "No wonder I felt as if someone has escaped my grasp. One person has slipped from my performances where people with Hanahaki had gathered, and has sailed from the Land of Eternity to the Land of Contracts."

"You mean...?"

The sixth harbinger nodded his head with a small hum, "Yes, Hanahaki can be passed to every person just by the air that we breathe. But it can only manifest in persons who meets the silver lining with the disease."

The amber eyed man placed fingers above his temples, slowly massaging them as if to relieve himself from a light headache. "Wait, wait. So you're saying that every single one of us have hanahaki?" Zhongli asked, his eyebrows furrowed deeply as he stared at the indigo eyed man.

"Only the people who once was in contact with someone with dormant hanahaki." The other corrected, "Strong and unpredictable emotions that reach the silver lining with the disease would have it actually occuring in a person." Scaramouche continued, breathing shallow and a little loud.

The previous archon could only press his lips into a thin line, his thoughts slowly ending with a clear conclusion that frightens even him.

 

He might've even be the one who passed Hanahaki to Childe...

 

The Balladeer crouched to get a clear view of the other male's face. "Hey old man, you alright?" Zhongli just nodded at the question as the questioner then straightened his back to lean onto the railing once again. "You're too overdramatic, previous Geo Archon." He commented with a small snicker at the end.

"And you're too much of a menace, Balladeer."

Both of them just shared a fit of small laugh before silence engulfed the two of them once again. The harbinger and the previous archon just stared at the magnificent moon that hung beautifully on the sky filled with stars, the light that the harbor emits contrasted the blues of the evening skies.

"By the way," Zhongli spoke, making Scaramouche look at him with an eyebrow arched. "Do you happen to know of a way to remove hanahaki from Childe?" Then the two of them took a quick glance at the eleventh harbinger

The indigo eyed man opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out as he could only close it again. The previous archon closed his eyes and let out a small grumble of disappointment. "I have expected much." He mumbled, "But still, thank you for sharing me your knowledge of the disease."

Scaramouche gritted his teeth tightly, his eyebrows furrowed and eyes turned to slits. He desperately wanted to share the last piece of information he held onto for so long, but he wonders what is it that's stoping him.

"...ill" He whispered out, making the ex archon turn his head to the other's direction and give out a questioning look.

Zhongli held his breath in the back of his throat, form stiff from anticipating the answer he might get. "Pardon...?"

"There... There is a way to make his hanahaki disappear." The Balladeer exhaled exasperatingly, annoyed of the unknown reason why he held onto the intelligence relentlessly.

Shock painted Zhongli's face, amber eyes wide in shock and relief after hearing the words that fell of the indigo eyed man's mouth. "Would you... Be able to share it to me?" Scaramouche turned his head towards the other's direction with a small, unnoticeable hint of pity in his eyes.

The solution is risky, he wondered whether its worthwhile or could be anything useful at all. But, instead of lingering on those thoughts for long, he baller his fists as he croaked out the last piece of the enormous puzzle in front of them.

"If... You wish to have Tartaglia's Hanahaki to disappear, you would have to eliminate Traveller. However, the farther the person is in their Hanahaki, the riskier this solution would be. Killing the person that they love would result to intense heartbreak that could even result to insanity. Worse case scenario..."

The sixth harbinger could only look at Childe's door before continuing. "They would die." The last piece of information fell from his lips like a soft whisper into the wind.

Zhongli stood at where he is, mixed emotions unable to dominate each other and give him the best reaction to the new piece of valuable information he got. He placed a hand onto the railing in order to balance himself, and another hand went to his forehead as he tried to wrap his head on the new knowledge he obtained.

The indigo eyed man only stared at the other try to collect himself, lips pursed into a straigt line and a sharp gaze cutting through the heavy atmosphere that surrounded the both of them.

The previous Geo Archon remembered his and Lumine's small talk in the teahouse a few days before she was to set to Inazuma. 'She'll come back to Liyue Harbor to celebrate Moonchase Festival with us...' He shook his head vigorously, prying his thoughts away from the sinister plan of eliminating the traveller.

'That is a bad idea, an idiotic one at least.' The amber eyed man told himself off, feeding his thoughts with hundreds of reasons to not lay even a single scratch on the blonde haired girl.

With a deep breath under the magnificent moon, she then took steps down the ship to the harbor's docks. Even with small bruises and cuts from her latest fight, a small, mellow smile is plastered on her fair face as her platinum blonde pixie companion floats beside her.

Finally, she is back to Liyue Harbor where she could breathe more freely now...

Notes:

Kinda late with this update lol. I'm busy with my studies and life stuff which is why I wasn't able to continue writing this fanfic. I even have to pause writing this for at least until I graduate and continue when its summer break. I'll see you guys once again in June or July!! Do wait for me T^T