Actions

Work Header

I Just Got A Hutch

Summary:

Dean and Jack are building something!!

Notes:

Wrote this in a discord server. like literally in one of the channels. rip to the poor souls who read while i worked cause i had to do other stuff at the same time.

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

There was that little voice in the back of his head telling him that starting this in the winter months might not be the best idea. But Dean told it to shut the fuck up as he organized his tools in the garage and set aside what he'd need. Lifting the circular saw and setting it on the tool bench from where it was previously, locked inside his large red toolbox where little hands couldn't get to it, he once again thanked his lucky stars that Cas had offered to take Jack over to Sam's today. Dean actually did want to do the project with the kid. He enjoyed building things and he wanted Jack to be able to experience it with him. But after he had all the pieces he needed cut. Which is what he was planning on getting done now.

If he could just get started. But he had always been a bit anal. And he knew that. It was fine. So once everything was in its place and where he knew it would be. He could get busy cutting the wood in the exact way it was supposed to be. He had already marked down the dimensions the night before so it would be easier today.

He slid the noise cancelling headphones on. Years of hunting and guns and explosions going off too close to his head had already shot his hearing all to hell, but Cas had insisted. Told him he should protect his ears from the sounds of power tools. Cas is also the reason he currently has safety goggles and a respirator mask on. Otherwise Dean would have happily gone without and if he swallowed sawdust that's his own damn business.

Then he got on with it. Cutting what he needed. Going just outside the lines in case he messed up, knowing he could sand those down when he was done. Planned to.

It didn't take him long either. Thank God he wasn't using a hand saw or he'd just about lose his mind. Though after doing this buying a table saw felt like not only want but a necessity. 

He smoothed down and evened out all the edges. Then he set everything to the side. Locked up the saw again, knowing Jack would be here tomorrow, and moved back to the house to shower before dinner.

~~🐇~~

Waking up at seven am is never ideal if you're retired.

Waking up at seven am when you're retired because your four year old wants to go out to the cold ass garage (cause it's seven am and you haven't had a chance to turn the space heater on yet) is a different thing entirely.

"Jack, give me a minute", Dean groaned sitting up in the bed. Cas was still sleeping. Or pretending too. And Jack crawled up to sit next to Dean.

"You said today, momma", he pointed an accusing finger at Dean.

A finger he simply took in his own hand and used to make Jack's arm shake a couple times. Causing the kid to giggle.

"And I meant it"

"But-"

"I gotta wake up, sport", he ruffled Jack's hair as he began to stand up. He wasn't even more than an inch away from the bed when he felt something grab the back of his shirt. Reaching behind him he removed the little hand, and turned all the way around to face him. Squinting at him, pretending like he actually had to consider his next move, Dean then bent over to pick him up.

Cas was still (pretending to be) asleep when they left the room. 

They made it all the way to the kitchen before Dean put Jack back down. Setting him onto one of the stools they have next to the island. He moved towards one of the cabinets and pulled out two bowls and slid one over to him.

"Cereal today. Just so we can get started sooner", Dean told him. Jack smiled wide in response and began to tell Dean how excited he was while he poured the cereal and the milk.

He just let him go on. Nodding and humming when he should. Knowing there were moments when he could interrupt, have a larger conversation if he wanted. But he also wanted the kid to eat.

And he did, scarfing down his food as soon as Dean was done. It wasn't too long before he was out in the garage. Only having been able to delay Jack enough for them to get dressed, feed Miracle and the cats, and turn the space heater on.

"What do I do, momma?", Jack asked, and Dean hummed in response. Hands on his hips, he looked around at what they had and what did need to be done. But he also took into account that Jack was only four and couldn't do all of it alone. Really this was a project that wouldn't take him too long by himself. But he was glad to have the extra help, even if it did slow him down.

"Alright, here, we gotta get the sides put together first", Dean said, grabbing the pieces and laying them out. He then drilled a hole where each screw would have to go in. 

Directing Jack to hold the boards in place while he used the drill, it wasn't long until they had both sides done. Then it was putting the back together. Working together in a similar manner. Dean knew if all he was being told to do was hold things in place he would lose his mind. Jack on the other hand seemed happy to do it. They had music playing in the background. The soundtrack to a movie they all watched recently. It was nice.

Putting together the door and the tray went by even quicker. Almost the second they were done with that the interior garage door opened and Cas stepped out. He was still in his pajamas and it was clear that he hadn't gotten out of bed in the last two or so hours. 

"Have you eaten yet, buddy?", Dean asked. Cas just shook his head. Picking Jack up when he walked over to him and hefting him up onto his hip carefully.

"Hi, daddy!", Jack beamed, and began to tell Cas all about their project, which still lay in pieces on the ground. He listened very carefully. Commenting here and there on certain things. It was cute and domestic. Dean couldn't help but smile at it.

Standing now, from where he was crouched on the ground, Dean moved to unplug the drill. Then he paused the music and met them at the door, proposing brunch, since Cas hadn't eaten yet and the two of them had cereal hours ago.

~~🐇~~

Jack was napping.

So Dean was finishing the rest of it on his own. Having gotten permission from him in the first place to do so. Because doing it without his permission would have ended badly for everyone involved.

But now all he really had to do was piece it all together. A few screws in specific places. And then the lid and hinges and he was done.

It was finished.

Now he could go inside and relax for a bit. It's not like it could be used for a little while. Maybe they'd paint it soon. 

~~🐇~~

It would be a couple of months before they were actually able to use what they built. Waiting for the warmer months to come by so they could put it outdoors. and also because spring is a better time to get- 

"Bunnies!", Jack cheered as Dean helped him hold one of the bunnies that had taken up a permanent residence in the little hutch they built.

 

Notes:

Tumblr: @drgarth

might do a chapter two. and yes, they have both miracle and a couple of cats cause this is my au and i think they deserve it. :)