Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2021-11-25
Updated:
2021-12-15
Words:
2,245
Chapters:
4/?
Kudos:
8
Hits:
148

An Unbreakable Bond

Chapter 4: Chapter Three

Notes:

I'm actually pretty proud about this chapter. Anyway, please enjoy chapter 3 of An Unbreakable Bond!

 

Oh, and by the way, the first handful of chapters will probably be pretty boring, but I promise it will eventually get very exciting!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

oooOooo

Soon after Gaara sits down to drink his morning coffee, Temari, the oldest of the three siblings, walks into the kitchen.

 

"Good morning, Temari-san." Hinata says softly.

 

Temari shoots Hinata a large grin, strange for this early in the morning. "Good morning, Hinata. Are you spending the whole weekend here or just today? I'm totally fine with either, I just need to know how many people I have to feed tonight at dinner." She adds with a wink.

 

Hinata doesn't respond for a moment. "Well, my roommate at school most likely isn't going to let me in for a while, and my father will be home for the week, so I'm going to have to stay here. It's the safest."

 

"Of course! I just need to know how many people I need to feed for the next few days." Temari says kindly.

 

She was always so kind to Hinata whenever she was over. Treating her like family. Like she belonged.

 

And Hinata loved that.

 

Her mother died when she was a young girl, and after that her father took out all his hatred and anger out on his eldest daughter, who just so happened to be Hinata. Her poor younger sister Hanabi never got to spend time with her because father loved her but hated Hinata.

 

Hinata didn't have a great blood-family, but Gaara, Temari, and Kankuro, and her other two friends filled in the gaps in her life where both friends and family should be. She greatly appreciated them all for that.

 

They also gave her a safe place to stay whenever she was lacking one, and rarely ever asked for much in return.

 

They never judged her when she would flinch at loud things or cover her face whenever someone raised a hand.

 

Gaara setting down his coffee cup onto the table snapped her out of her thoughts. She glanced over at him, still looking slightly dazed.

 

He looked towards her as well and their eyes met. Hinata jumped a little then looked away, staring at her hands folded in her lap instead.

 

Hinata let out a deep breath and looked up once more to find Gaara still looking at her. She shot him a confused look and he just continued to silently scan her face.

 

She held the gaze, which was rather surprising. She never was good at maintaining eye contact for too long.

 

They continued to stare at each other for minutes until Temari's voice breaks through the silence, "Are the two of you having some sort of secret conversation over there that I can't hear or something? You've been staring at each other for a solid ten minutes." She laughs.

 

Gaara simply shakes his head in response and lifts his cup back off of the table, taking a long sip. "Yes, Temari. Hinata and I just picked up some mind reading in our free time and were talking about how you need to learn how to mind your business." He huffs sarcastically.

 

"No need to get defensive. I've just never seen Hinata hold eye contact that long! Didn't know she had it in her, Gaara!" Temari laughs. Hinata's cheeks become slightly red.

 

Gaara rolls his eyes and stands up to get another cup of coffee while Temari settles down to start eating her breakfast.

 

Watching her reminds her the first time she ever spent the night at Gaara's house. When she woke up and went into the kitchen, Temari tried to get the girl to eat, and just wouldn't leave her alone, no matter how many times she told Temari she wasn't hungry.

 

Eventually, Gaara had to explain to Temari that Hinata never ate much, and had struggled with things like that for years.

 

It took a while for Temari to finally give up, but it still took less time to convince her than it took to convince Kiba and his family.

 

Kiba still tried to talk her into eating more, but she just couldn't get herself to do it. She tried, she really did, but she just couldn't do it. Hinata understood why Kiba would always pressure her to eat. He just wanted to protect her and make sure she was okay. She would've done the same thing if she was in his position.

 

Also, Kiba was unbelievably stuborn, especially when it came to his friends and family. Almost every night, Kiba would call her to make sure she had at least eaten dinner that day and often wouldn't leave her alone at school during lunch until she ate something, even if it was small.

 

Shino never really bothered her about that kind of thing, or really anything at all. He was extremely quiet and rarely ever talked.

 

It was rather funny that some of the quietest people in their school became such close friends with one of the loudest in the school.

 

Kiba was quite the talker, while Shino didn't like to talk, Gaara only spoke to his close friends usually, and Hinata was too shy to talk much.

 

Awkward silences happened pretty often when it wasn't only the four of them.

 

Hinata tugged gently on the sleeves of the jacket that she rarely took off, pulling it over her hands. She let out a soft sigh as she continued to fiddle with her sleeve.

 

She feels a small tickle in the back of her throat, signifying a wave of new coughs. She holds her arm up to her mouth as she begins to cough.

 

The fit lasts quite a while, filled with violent coughs. Panic begins to rise in her chest. She can't seem to get any of the air back into her lungs. Temari and Kankuro are staring at her with a concerned expression on both of their faces while Gaara just slightly narrows his eyes.

 

Finally, the coughing fit comes to an end and Hinata removes her arm from her mouth.

 

Her eyes widen at the sight of blood.

 

oooOooo

Notes:

Wow! A cliff hanger! Honestly didn't know I had it in me! I promise the next chapter should be out soon, so you won't have to wait for too long to see what's going on!