Actions

Work Header

Going Where I Can't Follow

Summary:

Kingo has to accept what happened,

and what didn't.

Chapter 1: Waiting for the End of The World

Chapter Text

Kingo was sipping some coffee on a cliffside facing the English channel. His feet dangled off, swaying with the wind. It was beautiful. The chalk cliffs glittered in the sun and the water was calm. He could just barely see France in the distance, clouded in fog. He was waiting for the end of the world. He didn’t know if he was going to die. He didn’t understand what he was. Would he die and just be rebuilt? Or would he float through space until he gets picked up and his mind gets wiped? It didn’t really matter to him anymore. Whatever happens, happens. 

 

Time passed and yet, nothing happened. The sun got brighter for a second, a blink, but that was it. He smirked as he looked at the time on his phone “Maybe they actually did it” He mumbled to himself and swallowed as he tried to process what that meant. Thousands of universes won’t be made, billions of lives stopped before they exist. Ikaris...He continued to stew on that cliff until his phone buzzed to life. He saw the photo he had for Sersi’’s contact and that’s when he knew for sure. He didn’t answer the first call or the second. He only picked up after 4 calls from various Eternals and 10 texts. 

 

He slid the button and put the phone to his ear. He heard Sersi’s sigh of relief “Kingo, are you alright?” 

 

He chewed on his cheek and picked at the grass under his free hand “I’m alive. You did it. Congrats.” His voice was dry, somber. It didn’t suit him. 

 

“Where are you? I-I’m not mad Kingo, none of us are. I just think we should talk. That’s it if you want to never see us again after, that’s fine.” 

 

Kingo smirked “And if I don’t tell you? It’s not like I’m hard to find.” 

 

“Please.” She urged, sucking in a breath.

 

“Fine. I’m in England. Sprite asked me to check on your boyfriend. Make sure he was comfortable. I’ll text you the pin.” he leaned his cheek against the phone, closing his eyes as he controlled his breaths. 

 

“Thank you Kingo, we are on the ship, so we'll be there soon.”  

 

“Take your time. I thought I would be dead 30 minutes ago, I don't have any plans.” He hung up on her and rubbed the phone as he stared at the sharp rocks a hundred feet down the cliff. He then stood and turned away from the water as he sent Sersi the coordinates. 5 minutes later he saw the triangle hovering towards him. He was usually happy when he saw it. It meant he was able to see him.

 

This time, however, all he felt was dread. 

Chapter 2: Dread

Chapter Text

Kingo looked over the ship as the door opened and Sersi walked out. She smiled as approached him.

 

He looked at the ground and gulped. "He's gone, isn't he?" He asked softly, his eyes slowly moving up to meet hers. 

 

She nodded slowly, "He...he ended his own life." 

 

Kingo nodded back slowly and his lip shook a little. "I should probably cancel the movie, seems in bad taste now," He tried to laugh but it came out a whimper. 

 

Sersi took a few more steps towards him and pulled him into a firm hug, rubbing his back as he buried his face into her shoulder. 

 

He shook his head, "I should be the one comforting you. You were...were closer to him" 

 

She gave him a knowing look "He cared about you too." She paused as she contemplated her words "He...he did what he thought was right. There's nothing we can do now."

 

"What happened to Sprite? Is she-?" His voice shook with worry as he pulled away from the hug. 

 

She shook her head "She's alive. The power I had...I was able to make her human."

 

He smiled softly, "She'll be able to grow up?" 

 

"Yeah-"

 

"And she'll die." He looked away as a tear was threatening to fall, "First Ajax, then Gilgamesh, now...we had 7,000 years without any of us dying and yet, here we are."

 

"Sprite chose this. So did Ikaris. You can't put the weight of their choices on your shoulders." Sersi put her hand on his shoulder. 

 

"Where will Sprite go? She's human she needs a house and-and food and-" 

 

"I'm not sure. We have to talk about it. She may live with Phastos" 

 

"What if she lived with me?" Kingo asked, his eyes lighting up. 

 

"What?" She was a bit apprehensive that he would be willing to take on such a responsibility. 

 

"Yes, I have time" he laughed "and I have a lot more money than you all, no offense." 

 

Sersi smirked "you're going to make her spoiled" 

 

"And what's wrong with that? It's nice to have everything you want, isn't it?" 

 

There was a moment of silence between them. An awkward understanding. 

 

Sersi cleared her throat, "I'll ask her. It's her life now, gotta give her all the choices." 

 

Kingo nodded with a grin that tried to hide his sadness "I'll wait here. If she says yes, I'll take her around London until my jet arrives. Maybe I can formally meet your boyfriend, get dinner" 

 

Sersi moved her hand away from Kingo and let it hang at her side, "I'd like that. Are you sure you don't want to come in? The others are going to go out into space. May not be able to see them for awhile." 

 

Kingo put his hands in his pockets and rocked a little "I...tell them I say goodbye" 

 

She paused but nodded, walking back into the ship as Kingo stayed where he was. He could barely look Sersi in the eye now, let alone the others. 

Chapter 3: New Life

Chapter Text

"I think going to school would be a good idea, sure you'd know most things but it's a good place to - Oh! Let's go in here!" Kingo strode into an upscale clothing store and took off his overpriced sunglasses, “Feel free to grab anything you like, it’s on me.” He looked down at Sprite and gestured around with his glasses. 

 

The redhead sighed softly, “I have clothes at Sersi's. You really don’t need to do this.” 

 

Kingo nodded, “Maybe, but I want to. This is a whole new life, right? The first thing I did when I settled down was get new clothes. Then every 20 or so years I'd change them to something new. The 80s were a really fun time you should have seen…" he gulped as she crossed her arms "Anyways, It helps you figure out who you want to be.” 

 

She huffed “Ok, fine. I’ll look around. But we should really talk, don’t you think?” 

 

Kingo’s usually relaxed stance became rigid “About what? We've been talking this whole walk?” 

 

“Sersi just dropped me off with you and you keep talking about your movies or where I want to live and what clothes I want and if I want to go to school. I want to talk about what happened-” 

 

“Why?” He snapped at her, his eyes giving off a dull glow and she backed off a step. He realized what he was doing and jumped. He flexed his hands, the glow traveling down his arms to them and fading away. “I-I don’t want to talk about what happened on that island Sprite. I don’t want to know.” 

 

She bit her lip and shifted her weight. She mumbled a soft “Okay” Before she walked deeper into the store. 

 

Kingo instantly felt awful. He didn’t mean to scare her. She was human now. Vulnerable. He was struggling to remember that, despite the fact, he just volunteered to effectively adopt her. 

 

He cleared his throat and started looking through the store himself. It wasn't really his taste. He preferred more color and pattern. That's part of why he loves living in India. So much culture and life within a piece of fabric. He grabbed something that caught his eye and went to find the mortal Eternal. He found her and grinned, showing off his find. 

 

“That’s ugly” Sprite narrowed her eyes as she touched the bubblegum pink sweater. 

 

Kingo looked down at it in his arms and scoffed “Is not! I just think we need to expand your color palette." 

 

She bit back a smile and took it from him "I'll try it on, no laughing when it looks terrible, ok?" 

 

"Deal." He smiled back. It was the first time since he left the group that his smile managed to reach his eyes and give off that infectious joy he was known for.

Chapter 4: Too Late

Chapter Text

- 5000 Years Ago - 

 

“Why wouldn’t you just tell him how you feel?” Ajak smiled at the man as he paced in front of her. She was lounged back on a stone chair, a flask in her hand. 

 

“He likes Sersi, it’s obvious.” Kingo huffed as he paused and shook his head. 

 

“He should still know. He likes you as well. Give him the ability to choose.” 

 

“He doesn’t like me like that. Even if he does, if he chooses me, will Sersi hate me?” He spoke fast, his voice shaking as he rubbed his face. 

 

She looked at the flask and hummed, “If he doesn’t choose you, Will you hate her?” 

 

Kingo bit his lip and kicked the sand under his feet, not really sure what the answer was “I wouldn’t blame her.” 

 

“But you’d still resent her.” Ajax pushed. She was good at pushing people without having them snap at her. She stood and walked up to Kingo, “I don't think Sersi will care as much as you. Even if she does, doesn’t that mean someone will be upset whether you tell him or not?” 

 

Kingo nodded and then looked towards the door of the hut. 

 

“You should go now. If you wait, you may lose your chance” She patted Kingo’s shoulder. 

 

Kingo fixed his hair and sucked in a deep breath, “Ok, Ok, I will.” He smiled at Ajak “Thank you. Really.” He then rushed out and looked around the village. He searched for Ikaris as he planned a speech in his head. 

 

Ikaris, do you have a minute? 

 

Hey boss man, can we talk? 

 

What's up? Other than you, because you can fly. 

 

God he was bad at this. 

 

I have feelings for you

 

I like you 

 

I want to be with you 

 

Do you only like women 

 

Have you thought of maybe being with someone who looks like me 

 

He found out he was on the outskirts of the village and started running. 

 

Feel my shirt. Know what it’s made of? Boyfriend material.

 

Yeah no that's bad.

 

He climbed a hill, feeling the red rock shift under his feet. He got to the top and looked down into a valley to see the glint of blue and gold that could only be Ikaris' suit. He saw him walking and was about to call his name when he saw where he was going. He saw Sersi and he choked on his own breath. Maybe if he interrupted them, he could ask Ikaris later. Maybe- 

 

Then, he watched as the two began to kiss, the passion easy to see even from how far away he was. He stepped back and turned away, cursing himself for even thinking he had a chance "Idiot. Such an idiot" he mumbled as he sulked down the hill. 

 

He felt a fire in his heart. It was boiling over into his throat and he looked at his hands as the symbols of the cosmic energy began to race over his fingers. He balled his fists to try and tame it but the feeling just got worse. The glow reached his eyes, making them sting and his mouth shake. 

 

He saw a tree and stuck out his hand, shooting a hole straight through it. He paused as his breath got faster and tears began fighting to leave his eyes. He shot again, and again. He walked closer to the tree as he fired the comic energy until the tree gave way and crumpled into the sand. He breath hard as he stood over it. He stared at the smoldering remains of where he shot. 

 

"I'm sorry Kingo." 

 

He jumped out of his skin, spinning on a dime to see Ajak walking up to him. He gulped and put his still glowing hands behind his back "Why are you sorry? Nothing to be sorry about"

 

She signed and closed the distance pbetween them. She raised her hand and held his cheek, wiping a tear and shaking her head "You're allowed to be upset." 

 

He pulled away from her touch and bit his lip "No, I'm not. He's happy! I shouldn't have even tried to get in the way of that. Besides, why would he want me when he could have her?" 

 

Ajak shifted her stance and help out her hands in front of him, "Give me your hands." 

 

Kingo hesitated, keeping them firmly behind his back until she raised her brows like a Stern mother would. He huffed and put his hands in hers. The gold circles and veins ran down his arms and the light pulsed with his heartbeat. 

 

Ajak ran her hand over a symbol "You are good enough Kingo. You are good enough to be part of this team. You are good enough to be happy. I promise you, one day, you will find someone you love just as much as Ikaris, and they will love you the same. They will love you for you." 

 

The glow died away as he listened. He was still fighting off the tears, looking at her with red tinted-glassy eyes 

 

"But, you are also allowed to mourn. You put up an act. I know you do. And if that is what you want to do I can't stop you. Just know it's ok to-" she was cut off by Kingo throwing his arms around him and sniffling hard. She smiled and hugged back, drawing little circles in his shoulder. 

 

"I don't help like the others. I can't make water, I can't design things. And-and my power is nothing compared to-" 

 

"Shh. None of that. You are strong. You are skilled with your power. But you know what really makes you special Kingo? You bring joy. That's just as important to life as anything else."

Chapter 5: Vegetarian

Chapter Text

Kingo put his card in the reader and looked back at Sprite. They maybe got a little carried away with shopping. She had 4 bags and he had 5. He took his card out and ignored the cashier before walking back into the street with her. Sprite moved her bags up her arms to play with the new smart watch.

 

"It's so cool isn't it?" Kingo smirked down at her and she huffed. 

 

"Yeah. Yeah it's pretty cool." She glanced at him with a smirk. "I'm kinda tired, you mind if we sit for a bit?"

 

Kingo nodded, "Of course we can! It's getting late anyways. We can sit over here until I can get a hotel and driver" 

 

"Where is Karun? Or is that something I'm not allowed to ask either?" She sat on the ledge of a fountain in the shopping plaza. 

 

Kingo rolled his eyes and huffed as he sat down next to her, "I sent him on a plane home. I wanted him to be with the rest of the crew, they're the closest thing to family he has. He's doing well, the dancers really like him. I usually have to play wingman but the end of the world makes people more willing to risk things." He looked at his phone and ordered a ride to pick them up and bring them to a hotel by the airport.

 

She bit her lip and looked around at the people walking around them "What am I allowed to talk about?" 

 

Kingo looked at her "Sprite….I'm not going to hurt you. You can talk about whatever you want. I just won't talk about what has happened in the last 72 hours concerning the end of the world" 

 

"Yeah, no point thinking about a fight you weren't in right?" Her smirk faded after he glared at her she licked her teeth and stared at her shoes, "Sorry" 

 

Kingo was quiet for once in his life. He looked behind him at the coins sparkling in the fountain. 

 

Sprite cleared her throat "Can I talk about something that happened kinda before that?" 

 

"What does kinda before mean?" 

 

"How did you know I liked Ikaris?" 

 

Kingo paused and laughed it off "You didn't exactly hide it. But if you want one thing, it's the way you looked at Sersi when he was around. It's a special look, I learned it when I was working on The Great Kingo : Unmasked. It was my first romance movie."

 

She pushed past yet another movie reference, "No one else seemed to figure it out. I had to straight up tell Sersi, and even then, I didn't say it was about him, I just said I wanted to grow up. How did you see it and no one else did? What does this look look like?" 

 

"It's...it's hard to place. It's like looking at a really nice piece of steak. But, only the kind of steak that lives in your dreams. you only dream about that steak, everyday. There's happiness there, like, yes I finally get to have some steak! Then, you remember you're a vegetarian. You can't get that steak, no matter how much you want it, it's just out of reach." 

 

"That was one of the worst metaphors I've ever heard, but I think I get what you mean." She chuckled and grinned at Kingo. A thought crossed her mind and her eyes narrowed. Then they got as wide as saucers, "You had a crush on Ikaris." 

 

Kingo scoffed overdramatically as he stood "Whaaaat? Me and-and Ikaris? Come on now. I-I have millions of fan girls that would pay to be with me, I don't need Ikaris."

 

"I didn't ask about that. A crush isn't a one night stand. Oh my god you actually did. That's why you knew! Takes one to know one. You were making a movie about him. You have always been super touchy with him….You didn't fight because you couldn't hurt him." A second layer of realization sparked across her features. 

 

Kingo sputtered and gulped, trying to whip up a good excuse. He then sagged and gave up trying. "Yes. I did." 

 

She saw the sadness in his eyes and suddenly thought about what she said "...that was probably a really terrible thing to say right now, wasn't it?" 

 

Kingo shrugged "We both are really good at saying the worst possible thing in a conversation. I can't exactly blame you."

 

"I won't tell anyone, I promise." Sprite urged "does anyone else know?" 

 

He chewed on his words for a moment, "...Only Ajak knew as far as I'm aware. Sersi might have figured it out. The liking dudes thing wasn't exactly a mystery to any of them. Just more who. But, doesn't really matter anymore." 

 

"Yeah, I guess. Have you found anyone else?"

 

Kingo shook his head "Nothing that sticks really. I've had my share of midnight rendezvous and few month flings. Me and Druig had a thing for a bit, obviously that ended poorly. 

 

"No way!" She gasped "You and him? He hates you." 

 

"And you've never wondered why?" he smirked and looked at his phone "Ride's going to be here in 5, we should get to the street to meet them" He grabbed his bags and Sprite followed him quickly. 

 

Chapter 6: No Promises

Chapter Text

-490 Years Ago- 

Kingo walked into the village and looked around as the people worked. It would be quaint if he didn't know the truth about how these people had no free will. It had been 12 years since the deviants were eliminated, since the gang split up. They barely kept in touch. Really just Ajak talked to them separately. 

 

A woman looked at him and smiled. Suddenly, her smile dropped and her eyes turned white. Kingo sighed and gave a little wave, "Hey Druig." She tilted her head and then all of the village people around him pointed towards a church in the middle of town. He gulped "Okay...this isn't creepy at all." He walked to the front of the recently completed chapel and opened the doors. 

 

Druig was sitting at the front of the building, where an altar would normally be. He stood and whislted "Out of all the people I thought would try and talk to me again, I never thought it would be you Kingo. Who made you come here?" 

 

Kingo stepped forward and crossed his arms, "No one. Is it so obsurd that I wanted to see where everyone is? You included?" 

 

Druig took a step as well "Yes. It is. You don't care about any of us. You were just waiting for the chance to drop us and go full native." Druig raised his brows in challenge. 

 

Kingo tsked and looked out the window, "Like you didn't do the same. At least I don't hold dozens of people against their will and make myself a god" 

 

Druig followed his eyes and watched the village through the glass, "Oh but you would if you could. You were always jealous of my power." He looked back at the other immortal. 

 

Kingo felt the others eyes on him and met them. He shifted his stance and let his hands fall to his sides, "Please. Don't flatter yourself, that's my job." 

 

"Yet you're not denying it. Why are you really here?" He put his hands behind his back and leaned forward. 

 

Kingo thought for a moment but couldn't think of a good lie, "...Ajak wanted me to check in on you." 

 

Druig hummed and nodded, "Now that, that makes more sense." He held out his arms and did a spin on he spoke, "Well, as you can see, I'm doing just fine. I am protecting these people" 

 

"This is what you call protecting?" 

 

"They are alive, aren't they? Wouldn't be able to say that if I didn't intervene. What about you? Where have you decided to settle?" 

 

"I...I haven't quite found a place yet, Im just sight seeing. I want to entertain people in some way. Unlike you, I actually like seeing people experience emotion." He glared, but there was a playful layer to it as he walked to be a only a foot or two from the other. 

 

Druig looked him up and down, "You would be a fantastic clown. Maybe you should just stay here, you'd have a full room for your standup every night" 

 

"That almost sounds like a compliment. Starting to get bored Druig? Are you telling me it isn't fun to leave nothing up to chance? Wow what a revolutionary idea." Kingo looked down at Druig and smirked. 

 

Druig's mouth slowly curled up to match, "Maybe." 

 

"Maybe?...Then maybe...I could hang around for a bit. If you can make the people out there a little less terrifying." 

 

"No Promises." 

Chapter 7: The One Rule

Notes:

Please note this is the chapter when Im going to start digging more into angst. Just FYI!

Chapter Text

-480 years ago-

 

Kingo shoved a few things he had collected over his time in the village into a sack, anger and a slight tinge of fear making his hands shake. 

 

"I told you you shouldn't do this." 

 

Kingo turned to follow the voice and see Druig standing on at the door.

 

"You know maybe if you hadn't pushed me this wouldn't have happened," he continued. 

 

"Fuck off Druig," Kingo spat out the venomous words and walked up to the door, glaring down at the other Eternal, "Get out of my way" 

 

"It was one slip up, like you haven't shot one of us by accident. I remember when you shot Sersi, claiming it was an accident. I still don't think it really was." He pushed himself against Kingo, making him take a step back. 

 

"That's not the same thing and you know it!" Kingo urged, shaking his head. 

 

Druig clicked his tongue "You're being ridiculous" 

 

"Move. I'm not going to ask again" 

 

Druig looked down to see the energy running down Kingo's arms and he chuckled "Really? This is where you draw the line?" 

 

"Yes. You broke the one rule we all had about your power. The one rule. I am not staying around for you to do it again."  

 

"You're not good at this tough guy Ikaris act Kingo." He grabbed Kingo's wrists firmly and pressed his hands against his own chest "Go ahead, do it then." 

 

Kingo looked down and his hands shook harder. He huffed and the light died out, leaving him breathing heavy. 

 

"Exactly what I thought. You're not gonna hurt me. You can't." He grabbed Kingo's shoulder and smirked at him. He narrowed his eyes when Kingo was staring at the floor. "Look at me" The other man's eyes slowly met his. "There we go. I care about you Kingo. You know I'd only use my power to protect you." 

 

Kingo's eyes softened as he nodded slowly. 

 

"You're still going to leave, aren't you?" 

 

Kingo nodded again and then opened his mouth to explain himself.

 

That's when his eyes turned a bright gold. Little circles glowed and pulsing around his eyes and down his cheeks. In a twisted way it looked beautiful. His jaw twitched before going completely slack. His fists balled up and then relaxed slowly. 

 

Druig's eyes were gold as well and symbols ran over his hands and chest. He patted Kingo's shoulder and then moved to grab his chin, "That's better." 

Chapter 8: Alive Again

Chapter Text

-200 years ago-

 

Kingo slammed back some rum and slapped his hand against the table. He shouted as watched the dice twirl around the table. It finally landed on the side where he placed most of his bets and gladly took another shot someone got him for his win. He may not want Ajak to wipe all of his memories, but he can find a way to wipe them himself. He didn't really mean to find himself in India, he just wanted to get as far away from the world of the village as he could. He wanted to be with people, feel alive again. 

 

People liked him here, he felt comfortable with this rag tag group of wannabes and alcoholics. He also may have broken their never interfere rule. It's not like he's the only one that did. Most of the eternals we're very obvious with their use of their powers. They just weren't allowed to stop wars. He wasn't stopping wars. He was just protecting those no one else would. He became a bit of a hero in some ways to those who would be considered untouchable.

 

He was walking out of the worn down building and started stumbling to his bedroom one of the leaders of the gambling setup let him use. It was hard to get him drunk, and when he was he wouldn't stay drunk for long, but right now he felt absolutely hammered. He was singing in the dark streets about wealth and glamor. He heard a woman's scream and he straightened, still unbalanced but had a bit more clarity. He looked to see a woman running from a group of men and he moved forward quickly. 

 

He stood between the woman and the men and they laughed at him, one spoke up, "is this the so-called hero I keep hearing about?"

 

He held out his hands and the energy balled up, it was less controlled then usual but it was enough to make the men back up. Kingo fired right next to one of their heads "Yes. I am. And if you want to keep..keep your...keep limbs attached, I suggest you leave"

 

Most of them took a few more steps back, but one had the courage to throw a punch and land it against Kingo's cheek. Kingo huffed, barely phased and landed his own swing right to the man's chest. A sickening cracking sound filled the ally as the man's ribs shattered and he collapsed. The others finally fully understood they weren't going to win and ran off. 

 

Kingo rubbed his cheek and turned to smile at the woman "that was-that was pretty cool wasn't it?" He stumbled as he tried to walk then unceremoniously fell over, face planting on the rock street and blacked out. 

Chapter 9: Let it Go

Chapter Text

Kingo had the driver put on loud music in the car so Sprite's questions were quelled for a bit. They arrived at the hotel and he power walked so Sprite had to jog in order to keep up with him. They got into the elevator and Sprite took a few seconds to catch her breath. 

 

 

"I still can't get over you and Druig. I just can't imagine that." Sprite spoke excitedly as she walked out of the elevator and looked for their rooms. 

 

Kingo shrugged "It wasn't a big deal. It happened around the time we all split up." 

 

"Wait, so this was before Macedonia, right?" Sprite bit her lip as she thought about how he reunited with her only to abandon her as soon as he had the chance. 

 

"Part of it" He tried to play it off as he scanned the ID card for his room and handed Sprite the one for her room next door. He hauled his shopping bags in and laid them on the desk. Sprite went in her room to do the same and then rushed back to Kingo.

 

"Part of it? How long were you two a thing?" 

 

Kingo looked up and took off his coat "I don't know….15 years before I met back with you...not sure how much time after." 

 

"Wait, you were with him right before you found me? Was that why you suddenly wanted to hang out?" She wasn't surprised Kingo was using her for selfish reasons, it was more curiosity. 

 

"I wanted to have fun. And you, I told you at the village, you inspire me, always have" he smirked. 

 

Sprite smiled and nodded, "So why do you hate each other now?" 

 

"We always hated each other" Kingo tried yet again to try and play it off, hoping she would get off the subject and regretting he told her in the first place. 

 

She crossed her arms and lifted an eyebrow, "Yet you were a thing for more than 15 years. Did you have a bad breakup? Taylor Swift style? Is that why you don't like him and Makkari?" 

 

He balled his fists and looked at his feet. He then started to hum softly, opening the curtains and looking over their view of London, "I see why Sersi decided to live here, not as cool, but it's pretty nice, how have you been liking it?" 

 

Sprite narrowed her eyes "You're doing the thing."

 

"What thing?" He glanced back at her. 

 

She walked deeper into the hotel room, "When you don't like talking about something, you just try and change the subject and hope it doesn't come up again."  

 

"Maybe I don't want to talk about my relationships with you" he retorted, looking down at her incredulously. 

 

She stared at him for a while before clicking her tongue, "You don't want to talk about yourself? Yeah something's definitely wrong."

 

"I'm fine. If I haven't told you about it yet that means I don't want to tell you. Let it go." He started to take his new clothes out of the bag and grabbed a comb. 

 

"I just-" 

 

"I don't care. I don't care how much you say you care about me. I don't care how much you want to make sure I'm okay. I'm fine. And the more we talk about this the more not fine I am. So drop it, and go get ready if you want to go to dinner with Sersi and her boyfriend." He started doing his hair, not even looking at her. 

 

Sprite tilted her head and rolled her eyes, marching out of the room and slamming the door. 

 

Kingo let out a puff of air and sat at the foot of the bed. He looked at his own reflection in the tv and his hand moved up to touch his own chin. He took deep, controlled breaths before he grabbed the remote and started channel surfing to do anything but actually think about what happened. 

 

Chapter 10: To The End

Chapter Text

-26 hours ago- 

 

Kingo listened to Phastos talk about his plan and glanced around the room. This plan was crazy. They wanted to trust Druig to put a god to sleep. All that would do is prolong the inevitable. He and Ikaris' eyes met and Kingo could tell Ikaris had the same doubt. 

 

The meeting ended and Kingo rushed after Ikaris, "I know you don't want to do this"

 

Ikaris looked over Kingo as they walked together, "I appreciate humanity as much as everyone else. I don't think they are worth destroying billions of other worlds. Even if they were, Arishem won't just let us do this." 

 

Kingo nodded slowly and took a deep breath, "Just know, whatever happens, I'm with you. I will follow you to the end." 

 

Ikaris became even more rigid, his eyes darted to the ground as he stopped and turned to face the other, "What did you just say?" 

 

Kingos heart flew into his throat as he repeated himself, "I will follow you to the end, as I always have." 

 

Ikaris gulped and adjusted his jaw. He was hiding something, "You shouldn't Kingo." 

 

"What do you mean? You have always been there when I need you. Even for little things. You were there for me. I...I want to do the same. And I'm sorry Sersi won't." Kingo urged, a bad feeling was nagging at him 

 

"I'm not the person you think I am." He muttered as he turned to leave. 

 

Kingo caught his arm and winced away when Ikaris glared back at him, "Ikaris, what do you mean? You can tell me." His voice got more urgent. 

 

Ikaris yanked his arm away from him, "I can't trust you Kingo" 

 

"Of course you can I-" 

 

"I can't. Who do you think helped Sprite when you abandoned her in Macedonia? Makkari when you left her to fight deviant's by herself in China? Sersi when you shot her?" His eyes were hard and cut right into Kingo "Not to mention that poor driver you've had come here for no other reason than to stroke to your own ego. I can't trust you because you have never cared about anyone other than yourself." 

 

Time felt like it was dragging for Kingo. He blinked quickly, his breath ragged as he listened to the other. His heart sank to the floor. His eyes stung as he fought tooth and nail with the tears threatening to form. He opened his mouth and it shook. He just wanted to get out one thing. 

 

But Ikaris simply shook his head and walked away, leaving Kingo alone to repeat the words again and again in his head. 

 

I have always cared about you.

 

Chapter 11: Cab Ride

Chapter Text

Sprite was making a joke about who she'd date in school when they stopped outside the restaurant. Kingo could see Sersi and Dane already at a booth through the window. He looked at Sprite and smiled, "You go on ahead, I have to pay the driver." 

 

Sprite looked down, hesitating. 

 

Kingo noticed "Sersi isn't mad."

 

"She's never mad, she's always disappointed." She shook her head, "I don't know if I can just talk to her. What are we even going to talk about?" 

 

Kingo cleared his throat, "Well I could fill up the entire conversation if you'd like. I've never actually talked to Dane. I could retell every single story that embarrasses her. But, if you don't want me to do that, talk about school, clothes, whatever you want."

 

She turned to look at him, "I don't even know what I want yet. I've only been human for a day" 

 

"We could bail, say you got sick, really exploit that human angle" Kingo suggested, his eyebrows raised at the concept. 

 

Sprite huffed "This is not a good start to the whole adopted dad thing." 

 

"I avoid things that make me uncomfortable. If you don't want to see her, why would you?" He crossed his arms. 

 

"because that's what the right thing to do is. She's trying to help us."

 

Kingo rolled his eyes, "Maybe we don't need her help." 

 

"We do. I do." Sprite mumbled. 

 

"Not to interrupt, but I need to pick someone else up." The driver looked at the two through his rear view mirror. 

 

Kingo nodded and pulled out some cash, handing it to him. He got out of the car and opened the door for Sprite. She stepped out and glared up at him when she saw he was trying to schedule another ride on his phone. 

 

"Kingo, please. I'm going to go in there and I….I need you with me this time" Her voice bordered on a beg, a desperate plea for the other to actually listen to her for once.

 

He tensed and put his phone in his pocket. He turned to see Sersi and Dane waving at them, "Shouldn't keep them waiting any longer then." He walked into the restaurant, leaving Sprite to scramble to catch up. 

Chapter 12: Dinner

Chapter Text

Sersi and Dane both stood when Kingo and Sprite walked in. Sersi hugged Sprite tightly. 

 

Dane smiled at Kingo and held out his hand "Hi, you're Kingo right? I'm Dane. Dane Whitman" 

 

"Heyyyy! I know who you are! You are the talk of the town in the group chat." Kingo grabbed his hand and tugged him in for a pat on the back. 

 

Dane pulled away and grabbed his shoulder, trying to play off how hard the immortal yanked, "Oh....in a good way, right?" 

 

Kingo didn't really care enough to notice Dane's discomfort and shrugged "Mostly" His attention shifted to Sersi as she called his name. He walked back and let her hug him tightly. 

 

Then they all sat down, Kingo across from Dane and Sprite across from Sersi. 

 

Sersi cleared her throat, "So, how have your days been?" 

 

Sprite put his arms up on the table and looked at Kingo "Pretty good. Nothing too exciting. We went shopping." 

 

"Oh! That's exciting, get anything cool?" 

 

Sprite showed the watch "It can do everything my phone can do, but it's on my wrist. Kingo thought I'd like it." 

 

Dane smiled then narrowed his eyes "I got one of those, do you guys get excited about that kind of stuff? Not trying to be offensive or whatever I just thought you would have more advanced technology" 

 

"We do. But it's fun to see what humans can make. Phastos has a tendency to over engineer things and make them hard to use, humans make things really easy," Sprite explained casually. 

 

Dane nodded with his sliver of understanding, "Kingo, I watched one of your movies today." 

 

Suddenly Kingo was interested in the conversation, "Oh, did you now? Which one?" 

 

"The first Shadow Warrior" 

 

"Ah! A classic, what did you like about it?" 

 

"Uh, well, I liked…" he glanced at Sersi. "Your character was pretty cool. I'm not much of an action miovie guy." 

 

Kingo hummed "You may like some of my romance movies then. Or Hungama, it's a comedy I directed, did great opening week." He continued listing off movie recommendations and Dane tried his best to keep up. 

 

Sprite looked at Sersi and she just gave a little shrug, "He wanted to watch it." The brunette's eyes moved to the two again and she put her hand on Dane's arm, "Sorry to cut you off, but only Sprite talked about her day. What about you Kingo?" 

 

Kingo looked a bit deflated, about to recommend one of his personal favorites. He thought for a moment, "It was ok, I haven't really been around London a ton, before I found Dane I hadn't been here in maybe 1000 years" 

 

"...found me?" Dane narrowed his eyes. 

 

Kingo leaned forward, "When we thought the world was ending, I checked in on you, made sure you were comfortable in case you died in a massive earth-destroying quake." 

 

"Oh. Ok. Guess that makes sense. How did you have the time to get back here? Thought all that stuff was kinda urgent." He laughed nervously. 

 

Kingo paused and licked his teeth, "I, I have a very, very fast private jet. Super fast." 

 

Sersi gulped "Thank you for that, I'm glad you're enjoying London. Are you going back to India soon?" 

 

Kingo nodded, "Tomorrow evening is the plan. Sprite is going to go to school." 

 

Sersi grinned at Sprite "Really? That I think would be really good for you." 

 

Sprite huffed "Hopefully. Feel like I'm going to fight my history teacher" 

 

Kingo looked out the window and slowly stood, "I'll be right back. Hot in here, need to get some fresh air." 

 

Sersi tried to ask what was wrong but Kingo left as she was trying to look. The three left continued talking. More and more time passed without Kingo coming back. Sprite tried to hide how mad she was, but Sersi saw it. She shared a bit of that anger, but sadly, neither were surprised. 

Chapter 13: Wedding

Chapter Text

-4000 years ago- 

Kingo adjusted his clothes as he watched Sersi and Ikaris dancing. They married fast, relatively speaking for them. A hundred years. He was good at hiding his misery. He was always good at putting on a show. A polite smile there, a joke there. It was just enough to make people not suspect a thing. He sat down in the corner and sat his flask on the table beside him.

 

Phastos sat down next to him and smiled "You ok Kingo? Usually you're right in the action at parties "

 

Kingo snapped out of his thoughts and shrugged "Ajak told me to tone things down. Had to give them their chance in the spotlight," He lied fluidly. 

 

Phastos nodded "I get that. Have you seen Sprite?" 

 

"She left after the Ceremony. She took some food and went back to her room" 

 

Phastos rubbed his temple, "She seemed miserable even for that." 

 

"It's about as happy as I expected her to be, I honestly didn't think she'd show at all." 

 

"What do you mean?" 

 

"Well, she doesn't really like Sersi and Ikaris together" 

 

"Hmm. I wonder why. They seem perfect for each other to me." 

 

Kingo gulped but played it off "Yeah. Yeah they are good together, what about you? Anyone catching your eye?" 

 

Phastos laughed and shrugged "Well there's this one person, but, he's human" 

 

Kingo whistled "Human? Which one?" 

 

"The Baker." 

 

"Ohhh. Good choice. He's nice, and his Gulab jamun?" He kissed his fingers "Incredible" 

 

Phastos blushed softly, "Yeah, yeah he's really sweet. I know, I know it won't last forever, but I think it would still be nice." He looked over at Kingo, "What about you?" 

 

Kingo looked down and huffed, "A few, but I don't think they're my type, if you catch my drift." 

 

Phastos clicked his tongue, "Yeah, that's the hard part right? It's hard to know who else is into what we are. You'll find somebody. Maybe even somebody that loves you as much as you love yourself." 

 

"Now that would be something." Kingo grinned and tapped the table absent-mindedly. 

 

"Who is on your mind? Maybe I get a different vibe" 

 

Kingo thought for a moment, "Uh, I don't really keep track of names or occupations." 

 

"Well, now I didn't tell you this, but I know Druig has a thing for you." 

 

"What? No way." 

 

"Hey, that's what I heard, take it as you will." 

 

"...He does seem to dislike me the least." Kingo leaned back and crossed his arms. 

 

"Yeah, and I think you guys are as similar as you are different. I don't know. I'm not gonna try to play matchmaker." 

 

Ajak called for Phastos and he stood, "Don't be a stranger, okay? If you ever want to talk about this more, you can talk to me." 

 

Kingo nodded and did a small salute. He looked back at Ikaris and bit his lip to stop it from curling down into a scowl. He was happy. He was laughing as he sat down with Sersi. Kingo couldn't remember a time he had seen Ikaris grin like that. He started to realize how little the two of them actually talked. 

 

They all had been on this planet for more than 1000 years, and most of that time Kingo was either fighting or alone. He spent time with Phastos, Sprite and Makarri mostly. They joked they were the B squad. Thena, Gilgamesh, Ikaris, Ajak and Sersi were A Squad. Druid was in a squad all his own. 

 

They still didn't talk a ton though, usually everyone was off doing their own thing. If Kingo was honest with himself, part of him resented them for that. He loved talking, but he wasn't the best at actual conversation. It was mostly a one sided rant Kingo would give to anyone listening. None of the others would tell him to stop. They would just talk about him behind his back. They thought they were hiding it from him, letting him be whoever he wanted, but he wasn't naive. He was just good at hiding it. He was really good at acting. 

 

Chapter 14: Next Life

Chapter Text

Kingo was enjoying the dinner. It barely got started, but he wasn't as nervous as he thought he was going to be. 

 

That's when he looked out the window and saw Ikaris. It was him. Standing further down the sidewalk. He was far, Kingo was the only one able to see him from where they were sitting. He stood and said something about fresh air and left the bar. 

 

Ikaris turned and walked down an alley. Kingo started running after him. Sprite was human. This had to be real. He didn't know exactly how Ikaris died. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he faked it. His heart fluttered as he turned down the alley and saw the other man at the end of it. Kingo grinned as he walked forward "Ikaris!"

 

The man cladded in his blue armor looked at Kingo and narrowed his eyes, like he was looking at an ant crawling up his boot. 

 

"Boss, you're-you're alive..." Kingo grinned. 

 

Ikaris started to hover and tilted his head "You should have left. All Eternals on Earth will have to face Arishem." 

 

Kingo gulped as he walked closer, "W-Well, I didn't go against him. I just. I couldn't hurt them. Or you." 

 

"I am not Ikaris." 

 

"What? What-what are you talking about?" 

 

He flew up to Kingo, causing the other to stumble and fall backwards, "He ended his own life after his defeat. I am simply here to be Arishem's eyes on the ground. You are going to pay the same as them. You still failed your mission. Though, Arishem may give you a chance in your next life." He then looked at the sky and flew into the sky without another word. 

 

Kingo was on the ground, his breath ragged as he tried to follow him among the stars. He stood quickly and stepped out of the alley. Sersi….Phastos….himself. Arishem was coming. He looked towards the restaurant. Sprite. Sprite would be all alone. Again. He licked his lips and shook his head. He couldn't tell them. What would telling them even do? Phastos has a family, he should-no, no it wouldn't be right. Would they even believe him? Hey guys I saw Ikaris and he said Arishem is coming right now so just prepare for that? He gulped, it was all for nothing. No, no, the others saved Earth. But what's stopping Arishem from destroying Earth out of spite? What would happen to them? What would happen to himself? Would the god wipe his memories and just send him on another mission? Would he be punished? His mind was running at 500 miles an hour. He couldn't breathe. He clutched his chest and felt his phone buzz. He pulled it out to see Sersi texting him asking if he was ok. 

 

He cleared his throat and started walking in the direction of the hotel. His life was over. All of their lives were over.

 

And he wasn't going to tell them. 

 

Chapter 15: Macedonia

Chapter Text

-425 years ago-

Kingo was laying on a cot on his side of the room, throwing a ball in the air and catching it. He looked over at Sprite, still able to fluidly play with the ball without looking at it. Sprite was organizing her side of the somewhat small apartment. She lived above a toymaker and helped him draw crowds with elaborate puppet shows in exchange. Kingo never told her why he came all the way to Macedonia to hang out with her again. One day he just showed up at her door with a sack of clothes and nicknacks. She didn't ask, she was just grateful for the help. It was hard trying to get around for her. Kingo knew that well, he often helped her before the group split up. Now, Kingo mainly pretended to be her father when they had to go to the market or just in general so people wouldn't be stupid enough to try and hurt her. People would ask questions about Sprit's aging and he'd have to try and play it off. He wanted to move with her after the first 5 years, but Sprite really seemed to enjoy herself so she refused. He had been in that city for 50 years on the dot. Sprite was nearing her 60th year.

Sprite noticed the other's eyes and smiled as she sat cross-legged on the ground, "Are you coming to the show today? It's gonna be a really fun one. And I know I said that there wasn't a role you could voice, but I think I figured out one you'd be perfect for."

Kingo caught the ball and looked at it, running his thumb over it in circles "Maybe, I kinda want to go out."

"Oh, well, where you going? I could meet you there after the show." Her eyes were full of excitement, he had never seen Sprite this comfortable anywhere. The toymaker knew about what she was, and he accepted her fully. He's one of the very few humans that have.

Kingo sighed heavily, "It's an adult thing Sprite, I can't explain my way out of it for you."

"Ah, got it…" She gulped and looked down at her hands, "Well, maybe we can do something tomorrow then, feels like forever since we've done something fun together. I heard that Egypt is amazing this time of year, and we haven't been there in like a thousand years."

Kingo looked back at her from the corner of his eye and shrugged "Maybe, we'll see."

The redhead narrowed her eyes "Are you ok? You seem...weird"

"I'm fine. I'm just getting a bit stir crazy here, so maybe it will be a good idea to head to Egypt" he put up a smile.

She seemed to take that answer well and nodded "Yeah, yeah I get it, you seem to really like being part of my show, if I ask him I'm sure he would be ok with you doing something for him as well. Maybe you can tell jokes," She chuckled.

Kingo snickered and threw the ball at the nearest wall, watching it bounce around until it landed back in his hand.

Sprite watched it then stood "I have to get everything set up, so have fun at the 'adult' thing. If it ends up being super lame you can always come back early." She walked out of the room and down the stairs to the toy store.

Kingo sat up and took a deep breath as he gathered his things. He fluffed up a canvas sack and started filling it. Everything was about Sprite. The show, the glamour, everyone's constant questions about her aging. How did no one notice he also wasn't aging, and that he was the best puppet voice actor they had ever heard. He felt invisible next to her. This wasn't what he wanted. It reminded him too much of being in the village. He was self conscious. It wasn't her fault, or anyone's fault for that matter. He just couldn't do it. And if Kingo didn't want to deal with something, he would just leave. Sprite made it more than 30 years without him or the others, she'd be fine. If she wasn't, she could just find him wherever he feels comfortable. He finished packing and went down the stairs, looking for Sprite. He didn't see her and so he headed for the door.

"Kingo my boy, where are ya off to with all that?" The toymaker grinned. He was a huddled old man now, boasting a wild bushy beard with no hair on top. He had the same kind eyes as he did when Kingo was first introduced.

Kingo bit his lip and forced a smile "I'm just going out, a guy trip, you know how it is."

"A trip? Sprite said you were just going out for the night, will you be back by morning? I got some very interesting spices from a traveling merchant, thought I'd make something special for you for your 50 year anniversary of being a part of my humbly blessed life" he explained with a shrug.

Kingo licked his teeth and nodded, "Oh yeah, I'll be back, I'm also going to barter some of this stuff, that's why the bag is this big." He tried to pull out an explanation.

The toymaker hesitated as he looked into Kingo's eyes but nodded slowly, "Do whatever it is you need to do Kingo. You're far older than me, I don't have the experience to know how to stand in your way."

Kingo blinked and quickly turned away, walking to the door. He glanced back and muttered, "Thank you for all you've done for her."

And that was the very last time Kingo saw the toymaker.

Chapter 16: Bye, Kingo

Chapter Text

Kingo had his phone turned off. He was watching TV in bed. He already cleared out the mini bar in his room and was now lazily sipping at a Red Bull to try and speed up the alcohol. He looked towards the door when someone started banging their fist against it. Kingo didn't respond. Eventually, it stopped and Kingo thought he'd be in the clear for a little while longer. 

 

10 minutes later, the ding the door made when a key card was scanned sounded and the door opened. Sprite was standing in the doorway. She was a little wet from the rain outside and her eyes were full of anger and pain. Kingo met her eyes and slowly raised the remote to turn off the TV. 

 

Sprite breathed out her nose and shook her head "I-I can't believe you." Her voice was soft, barely a mumble as she walked up to the bed. 

 

The man swung his legs and stood, looking down at her. He moved past her and turned on the lamp on the desk.

 

She huffed "What? No excuse? Not gonna blame me again?" 

 

Kingo turned back and shrugged, "I left. I…" he thought over his words for a moment, "I left to get air and got distracted, you know how it is." His tone was dismissive to try and make her not ask more about it. 

 

Sprite shook her head. Normally she had to deal with Kingo's behavior since they had an eternity together. Not anymore. "You know what? I actually can believe you. I don't know why I'm even slightly surprised that you would do this." She voice got louder as tears stung her eyes "You want to know something Kingo? You wanna know the secrets we all kept from you? I'll tell you. The only reason any of them tolerate you is that they were told to by Ajax and Sersi. The only reason no one has told you what they really think about you is that they thought they couldn't. Well, I'm not in the group anymore! I can now!" She took a step back and her hands shook. 

 

Kingos face twitched as he met her eyes, his face was unreadable. There wasn't any regret.  

 

That just pushed Sprite more, her voice slowly becoming quicker and more unhinged, "You know who was the only person who actually liked you? Me! You…. I thought you were my friend…the only friend I really trusted out of them. I thought that we would be there for each other because you promised me we would! Then, then after Macedonia, I thought you just hated me because I can't grow up…I thought it was all my fault and I hated myself..." She sniffled harshly, "and then you offered to help me again and I thought finally I had done something that would make me worth the effort!" She looked down and gulped, "but of course not!" She glared back at him and jabbed her finger at his chest "This whole thing, it's about you! You wanted to take me because you feel guilty for not helping them! You're using me to clear your conscience!" 

 

The eternal gulped and opened his mouth, "That's not-" 

 

"Shut Up. I'm done. I'm not going to hear any of your excuses or your blame-shifting." She rolled her eyes as she started to pace. "I'm not letting you use me anymore. We're done."

 

Kingo narrowed his eyes, the poker face dropping down a step, "What are you talking about?" 

 

"I'm living on my own." 

 

Kingo shook his head and stepped towards her, "Really? This is where you draw the line?" He stopped himself, then seemed to think about something, a memory sparked in his brain. His body sagged again. He furrowed his brows in thought, "You, you could still live with Phastos." 

 

She continued, "He already has a family, I'm not going to ruin that. You're not telling Sersi, I don't need to ruin her life more than I already have. Tomorrow we are going to act fine. You get on your plane, I Get on mine. After that, if she ever asks, do what you do best and lie. Tell her I am going to school, or a got a degree in zoology, or I married a nice person and we have two cats or I'm fucking dead, depending on when she's asks. But Kingo-" 

 

He met her eyes again. 

 

She lip quivered, her face covered in tears and her voice morphed into a sob "After tomorrow unless I see your face on a tacky movie poster, I never, ever, want to see you again." Her voice cracked and she sniffled again, "Do-Do you understand me?" 

 

Kingo's face flickered, the mask coming off at the thought of never seeing Sprite again "Now, now just wait a minute, I shouldn't tell you this but you have to understand me. I saw Ik-" 

 

"Do you understand me!?" She yelled at him, making the god-like being pause. 

 

He looked at the ceiling and chewed his thoughts. He's never really faced consequences for his actions. That's why he leaves. That's why he stayed out of the fight with Ikaris. That's why he is who he is. Now here he was, finally facing the music. He thought he could explain what happened in that alley, tell her, but he knew now she wouldn't listen. He couldn't even blame her. He gave her a single nod. 

 

She walked up to him again "I want to hear you say it. I need you to understand me." 

 

"I understand, Sprite." He gulped and cleared his throat when his voice sounded weepy. He walked to his suitcase and pulled out a credit card. He held it out for her, the gold bands of his power lightly dancing around his fingers but not enough to power him up, "Buy whatever you need with this." 

 

She slowly grabbed it and looked at the card, a little surprised to see her name on it. She faltered for a moment, for a second she was thinking of taking it all back, but she snapped out if it and shoved the card in her pocket "Fine." 

 

She started towards the door and looked back at Kingo standing in the middle of the room. She coughed on a whimper and her anger still burned at Kingo's lack of response. Yet again he was avoiding conflict. "I'm glad you never got with Ikaris, and I'm glad Druig did the right thing and dropped you. You don't deserve to bring anyone else down. Bye, Kingo" 

 

And with that, she slammed the door and went to her hotel room, now arranged to be on a different floor.

 

Kingo gulped and moved back to the bed. He sat on the side on it and felt heat behind his eyes. The celestial symbols on his arms started to get brighter as the heat turned into a burning feeling. 

 

He gave into it for the first time outside a movie set. 

 

He put his face in his hands and he wept. It had been at least a millennium since the last time he actually cried. The warriors of the group were trained not to. He had seen so many horrific things so that also helped harden him up. For Ajak, Gilgamesh, hell even Ikaris, he was able to put on a show and keep going, Now, now that was all out the window. The cry's transformed into a sob and he tugged on his hair, singeing the strands with his powers. 

 

He was going to lose her no matter what. He kept trying to tell himself that. Arishem was coming. He was going to be taken and tortured and reset. He would never see her again after tomorrow either way. He just wished it didn't have to end like this. He thought about what Sprite said. He wasn't sure what was real and what was just her trying to rile him up. Either way, it stung and didn't help the rush of hot tears now covering his face. 

 

It was all for nothing. He tried to take Sprite to show he was sorry for Macedonia, he made her hate him and herself even more. He tried to abstain from the battle because he didn't want to die, only now did he begin to realize that a fate with Arishem is worse than death. 

 

Chapter 17: Compelled

Notes:

Finally, the long awaited middle piece to put all the Kingo Druig chapters together, this takes place right before chapter 7, in case it isn't clear or you want to reread that one! Really appreciate you guys liking this so far.

Chapter Text

-480 years ago-

Kingo didn't know if enjoy was the right word for how he was feeling in the village. It has been 10 years since he moved in with Druig, it was a blink in their lives but it felt longer than it actually was. 

 

Druig was a good fit, they understood each other more than the other Eternals did. Maybe that's because they were both always the outsiders. The real difference between them was Kingo kept trying to get in and Druig didn't. He didn't show his feelings a ton, but Kingo never expected him to. He seemed to have a thing for the stoic, unfeeling type. 

 

The only downside to their arrangement was, of course, the village itself. It was always a hot button issue for arguments. Kingo knew Druig wouldn't stop, he just pushed for less control. Let them go for a day, a week, something. Kingo managed to get Druig to let them do as they wished from time to time, but the moment so much as a glare was exchanged, Druig would get right back in the captain's chair. 

 

Their fights were mostly one sided, Kingo getting frustrated or upset and Druig repeating himself until Kingo gave up. They wouldn't last longer than 5 minutes. 

 

Kingo didn't really leave the church. Druig had the second floor remodeled into a suite for them. If he did leave, he would go into the forest, as far from the village as he could. He couldn't handle the looks they would give him. He felt like he could feel the person in there somewhere and they were begging for help. 

 

Today he decided to go on a walk. He got out of the relatively comfortable king sized cot and slipped a tunic on. Druig was out somewhere, probably checking on the animals or the crops. Kingo stretched and yawned as he walked down the spiral stair case and froze as he saw a small child standing in the middle of the church aisle. 

 

It was a little girl, hardly over 3. She was sniffling and her yes were red as she clutched a ragged toy bunny. She looked at Kingo "Do-do you know where he is?" She pointed towards Druig's chair. 

 

Kingo gulped and shook his head "No...I uh, I think he's by the farm." He walked up to her and kneeled down to be at her eye level. He was always good with kids, often Ajak would have him and Sprite teach them things or help them escape deviant attacks. He smiled, "What's your name?" 

 

"L-Lucía"

 

"Lucía? That's a very nice name. Why do you want to talk to him Lucia?" 

 

"I want my Mommy back" 

 

Kingo took a deep breath, "Where is she?" 

 

"She's still here. But-but she won't talk to me anymore. She just works all day. She doesn't read me stories, or sing. I just" Lucía sniffled harder and held the bunny tighter, "I just want my Mommy back. Daddy did this too last year, and he never came back." She started to cry, her nose red. 

 

The moment Kingo tried to console her, he was met with her eyes turning a golden white. She dropped the bunny and turned to walk out the door. Kingo looked up to see Druig holding it open. She walked out without another word, the tear stains down her cheeks seemingly glowing as well. 

 

Kingo stood slowly and shook his head, "Now, now that? That is going too far." 

 

"You say that every month Kingo." 

 

"No!" He breathed hard, as much as they bickered, Kingo never raised his voice before. 

 

Druig tilted his head and walked forward, "You're upset I stopped a child from crying?" 

 

"You are taking that child's childhood from her. You are taking everything from her. She came here to ask you for help!" Kingo pushed, his face twitching. 

 

"I've never seen you this wrapped up, you have a kid somewhere I don't know about?" Druig spoke dismissively. 

 

"I understand when you use your powers to stop conflict. I get it. I don't agree with it but I get it. This isn't the same. This isn't right." 

 

"Oh? All of a sudden you have morals? Do you really want me to list off every inhumane thing you've done?" Druig's fingers glided over the pews as he closed the distance between them. 

 

"I may be inconsiderate at times, maybe, but that's not the same thing as this." 

 

"Jesus, how many times are we going to go around like this? That child is perfectly fine. The mother comes around when they actually need something." 

 

"I know this might be a hard thing for you to understand but some people actually need compassion." 

 

Druig leaned back and smiled. It was cruel, patronizing grin, "Spoken like a true hypocrite. Is that what this is really about? To think I thought you genuinely cared for another being. This is all just about you and what you want. You really are a child." 

 

"I'm the child? I'm not the one who claims to be a righteous saint when really you're a shut in that has to mind control people in order to have anyone be around you." Kingo spat. 

 

Druig paused and tapped the pews next to him as he thought. He shook his head, "At least I actually care about these people. At least I actually care about you. At least I don't use you as a way to get off because I can't get with the man I really want." His eyes were cold and unyielding as they burned into Kingo's. 

 

Kingo straightened and his eyes left Druig's, looking down at the tile, "It's not like that. You're putting this on me when this wasn't even about me! It's about you Druig! And you know what? I'm done. I'm not letting you do this anymore" 

 

Druig raised his eyebrows "I'll tell you the same thing I told Ikaris, You'll have to kill me if you want me to stop." 

 

Kingo rolled his eyes and pushed past him. 

 

Druig turned on his heel and watched him "Where do you think you're going?" 

 

"To find Phastos. Maybe he was a way to stop you." He walked at a brisk pace. 

 

"I wouldn't do that if I were you." 

 

"You're not me. We are not the same. We're done. I'm done with this church and your god complex!" His hands started to heat up, he didn't care anymore. He was frustrated, cornered, and overwhelmed. He rarely ever acted out. He always just hid his emotions and laughed it off. This time was different. No more deviants, no more need to be buddy buddy with the team. He just wanted to make a statement. He pointed at Druig's chair and was about to fire. 

 

That's when his mind went fuzzy. 

 

His hand dropped to his side. There was a ringing in his eyes as he narrowed his eyes and tried to lift his arm again. It wouldn't budge. He could barely move his head, feeling like it was filled with water. 

 

His eyes managed to meet Druig's again. He saw that signature glow. Symbols ran down the pale Eternal's face and his arms. It was brighter than Kingo had ever seen it before. It took him a while to figure it out, his mind struggling to think through the fog. His mouth opened slowly, and he only managed to get out a soft "Druig?" 

 

The other Eternal's walked forward and tsked. He held Kingo's jaw and his thumb brushed against his cheek, "Go upstairs." 

 

Kingo felt an urge pull him back towards the staircase. He was walking, and if he tried hard enough he would slow down, but he couldn't get himself to stop. He went up the stairs before the hold let up and he collapsed onto the floor. He looked towards the stairs and scrambled to his feet. Druig's range of control over another Eternal was something Kingo never thought he'd figure out. It was less he was forced and more he was compelled. He could technically stop or fight back, but he felt a nearly irresistible need to do what Druig wanted.

 

Chapter 18: Legacy

Chapter Text

Kingo watched the TV and picked at his french fries. He may have gone a little overboard since this was probably be his last day on Earth. He got as much on the menu as he could from as many restaurants as he could. Indian, American, Chinese, Moroccan, Greek, Italian, Hawaiian, and that was just the main courses. He then got desserts and booze from a host of other places. The delivery drivers may have been confused when they kept dropping off food at the same place at the same time. Kingo didn't care. He let them leave the food at the door then brought it in. 

 

He had never felt like this before. He felt directionless. He always had a goal. Kill deviants, help humans, get famous. Now, there was no reason to have a goal. He was going to die. No matter what he did. Maybe he wouldn't physically die, but Arishem would wipe his memory and then kick him off to another planet to make him start again. He wondered if death by Ikaris would have been a better fate. At least he wouldn't have had to see Sprite's eyes full of absolute hatred of him.  

 

He jumped when his phone lit up and buzzed. He picked it up slowly. He read who it was and his eyes softened. He answered it and let out a sigh of relief "Karun." 

 

"Hello Sir, I wanted to let you know I was able to get on the jet. I will meet you in London tomorrow! The documentary is coming out very well if you still wanted to release it. It is all on my computer!" The human spoke with the same excitement as always.

 

Kingo bit his lip and nodded slowly "That's...that's great! Hey, um, I may not be able to come back to India tomorrow." 

 

"Oh. Can I ask why sir?" 

 

"The others want me to go to space with them, try to find other Eternals and help them." The immortal closed his eyes. He lied. He had to. 

 

Karun laughed and the creak of the leather seat sounded like he was leaning forward, "That sounds exciting! A real adventure! Maybe you can come by every once in awhile." 

 

"Yeah...yeah. It is. But Karun, I don't know if I'm going to be able to come back at all," He spoke softly.

 

"...I see sir. Well, do you think you can stay until I arrive? I would like to say goodbye if I could"

 

Kingo looked at the ceiling and rubbed his eyes, "maybe, I'm not sure. If, if I can't, I want you to have everything."

 

"Excuse me?"

 

"The money, the house, the studio, everything. You know the information for it and I emailed the attorney and the accountant to start the transfer." He explained as he laid back against the head rest. 

 

Karun stuttered, "I can't do that. I don't deserve that." 

 

"You do. All I ask is that you keep Sprite's line live and pay it off. That's all." He breathed out "I really think that you should go for being a director. I mean obviously you're pretty dedicated to get a good shot. You know a lot of people in the business now. They love you. Maybe you start as a cameraman but, I-I want you to be my legacy Karun. And I believe that you can be absolutely incredible if I'm not around to constantly steal your thunder."

 

"You're far too harsh on yourself Sir. You changed my life. You, you gave me a reason for being. I will forever be grateful for that."

 

"...you can call me my name, ya know?" Kingo smiled as he messed with his blanket. 

 

There was a pause. 

 

"Kingo, I will do you proud, I swear it. I do hope I get to see you tomorrow, but if I don't. It was a true honor working for you"

 

"Thank you being my friend Karun." 

 

Kingo could hear the soft grunt of a smile on the other line and looked at the tv again, trying to tune out the desire to tell Karun the truth. "Thank you for the same" Karun laughed "Well, we're hitting the altitude where I have to turn off the phone now, so, I wish you luck. Goodbye" 

 

"Goodbye." Kingo hung up and his hand fell to his side. He looked out the window and looked at the stars. 

Chapter 19: Vampire

Chapter Text

-51 years ago-

Kingo walked into the movie studio and huffed as he read the newspaper. September 28th, 1972. He usually didn't keep track of the date. Why would he? With BC and AD, it was all over complicated for him. This day would stick with him for one reason.

He was usually greeted by the director for this particular film. This time however, he was approached by a young man with a warm smile. He looked barely over 18 and had the spark of a newcomer. "Hello Sir" he stuck out his hand and Kingo looked down at it for a few seconds before taking it.

"... Hello, I'm sorry if we've met before, terrible with faces, do I know you?"

The other shook his head "Not yet. I'm your new personal assistant! Your manager said he mentioned me?" He tilted his head, the smile still hanging on his lips.

"...Oh! Oh! I remember now yeah! Thank you for coming so quickly. I really appreciate it. That last guy, gah! such a drama queen. I don't remember if he said your name though."

"Karun sir, Karun Patel. I promise I will not cause any drama. Whatever you need, I'll get it." The human was practically bouncing up and down, clearly excited to be on the sound stage.

Kingo smirked. He liked this kid. In a way he reminded him of Sprite. It brought back the part of them he missed, "Well Karun, It's nice to meet you, if you're ready we could start right now? Maybe give you a tour since mainly you'll do all the walking around for me." He started to walk towards the production side of the studio and the teen eagerly followed along.

"Of course sir! I'd love to."

"What made you want to be an assistant Karun?" Kingo asked as he showed him the makeup station.

"Well I-I love these movies, always have. Your family's line in particular. The Great Kingo Legacy." Karun laughed with a tinge of awkwardness to it.

The Eternal's smile grew, "My family line is full of amazing actors."

"That you do sir, I would love to meet them someday, it feels like they all retired very quickly" Karun shrugged and looked over Kingo, skepticism apparent in his tone.

"Yeah well you know, when you make enough money you just don't need to work anymore. So they each only worked like 10 or 20 years. Now they're...in the mountains, love that solitary life." Kingo confidently walked into his trailer, "So this is my-"

He felt the wind behind him shift quickly and heard the sound of Karun's jacket opening. He had a sense that something was about to hit his back. Ikaris taught him that trick. To feel how the wind changes to feel a threat before you can see it. He spun around and grabbed Karun's wrist tight enough to nearly break it. His stone cold warrior face morphed into confusion when he saw the wooden stake in the other's hand "...is that what I think it is?" He asked, a bit too casually given the circumstances.

Karun paused as he looked at the stake, "...it's a...are you going to kill me now?"

Kingo narrowed his eyes then it clicked suddenly, "Do you think I'm a freaking vampire?!" He let Karun go.

The younger man quickly stuttered, "You, you're the same person! All of you. You have been the exact same age since you're very first movie. Actors don't just retire and disappear and never get photographed again after only 10 years of success! And then magically have a kid that somehow is the same age as them! You're immortal, you have to be-"

"I am." Kingo answered with a shrug as he crossed his arms.

"You, you admit it?" Karun looked even more confused.

"Well I'm not exactly intending to hide it. People will just believe it's a family legacy because that is more believable to them than me being immortal."

Karun lifted the stake again and Kingo's fingers lit up to shoot it out of his hand. The human jumped, shaking his hand and then looking back at Kingo "I-I'm sorry sir. Please don't kill me I'm sorry I won't say anything about you being a vampire-"

"I'm not a vampire! Geez, and I'm not going to kill you." He rolled his eyes "I am an Eternal, ok? Quick and easy version is I am an alien from a different planet sent here to help your civilization."

"And you're immortal?"

"Mostly. I don't age, I don't get sick, all that. If you would have actually staked me through the heart I don't know if it would have killed me but it would have hurt a lot. Feel like it would have hurt my feelings even more." Kingo looked at the movie posters on the wall of himself through the 'generations.'

Karun watched and gulped "So what are you going to do to me if you aren't going to kill me?"

Kingo turned back, "I'm going to show you where the coffee station is." He smirked and moved past the bewildered human back out the trailer.

Karun followed, "What?"

"Well, the job still needs to be filled. And I can see it in your eyes. You're not a killer. You don't want to be. My guess is that your dad is either crazy or actually a vampire hunter and he sent you out to do this as some sort of test." Kingo explained, his tone a touch softer than usual.

Karun took a while to process, "Yes...yes that's what he did. I swear I didn't want to I just, I thought you were killing people to stay young. You're not mad?"

"Oh no I'm furious. I just tend not to show it. But I also don't entirely blame you. You're not the only person who has tried to kill me thinking I was something I'm not. It also wasn't even your plan. I'm not one to blame a soldier for a battle." Kingo put his hands in his pockets "So, if you want to keep going, let's go." Kingo started walking, not looking back at Karun.

The man stood outside Kingo's trailer and watched him walk away. He then quickly started to run after the immortal "Sir, wait for me!"

Chapter 20: Icarus

Chapter Text

-4000 Years Ago-

It had been a day since the wedding. Kingo kept up a good face for the ceremony and celebration. This was the cracking phase. He found that his emotions were usually delayed. He wouldn't laugh at a joke until it was inappropriate, or he wouldn't get sad until there wasn't a reason to be. 

 

This time it was a mix of despair and malice. He didn't blame Sersi, not really. Well, maybe he did. It was complicated. Her as a person? Fine. He loathed her with Ikaris. He didn't get it.

 

Kingo walked outside the gates of the city and kept walking until he reached the training grounds. Ikaris and Phastos always set one up wherever they moved. It wasn't anything big. Mainly it was a place where the villagers wouldn't be in the way. Kingo looked at the shimmering targets Phastos had made. He needed to distract himself. He didn't want to think about Ikaris anymore. The only way he knew to distract himself was fighting. 

 

His hands heated up and he fired at the target. He ran around the area, sliding in the sand and firing from different angles. He experimented with combining the power into one ball and launching that as well. He had kicked up a mini sandstorm with how rapidly and wildly he was moving. He jumped off a tree and fired upside down, mainly to show off to his crowd of none. He then went to jump off the tree for a different angle. 

 

"Nice shot." 

 

Kingo lost his footing and fell flat on his face. He quickly got up and dusted himself off as Ikaris approached him. "Thanks" he turned on the warrior face. 

 

"Are you getting stir crazy as well?" Ikaris jumped to hover a few feet in the air and fired his lasers at the same target Kingo had been aiming for. 

 

Kingo watched him and gulped, "Guess you could say that. We've been here a long time, haven't we? Sorry for not reporting to you, I just thought-" 

 

"You don't need to report your every move to me, Kingo. I may make the battle plans but I'm...I'm not the leader of this operation. Though It's nice to see someone else getting some extra training." He landed and smiled softly at the other man. 

 

Kingo felt his throat close up from the butterflies in his stomach. He tried to remain composed, "I was more referring to you being preoccupied with post-wedding festivities, but, I do like training" 

 

"Ahh, I see. Sersi wanted to help the farmers get water. I just came here to clear my head." He paused and looked at Kingo for a moment. "You want to try a sparring match?" 

 

Kingo tensed. He was nothing to Ikaris' power. He had never suggested fighting even for fun. But it meant more time with him. "You think you can take me on?" He raised an eyebrow and let the confident persona take over.

 

Ikaris' smile turned into a sky smirk, "Basic ground rules. No serious injuries, but don't completely hold back for me. We keep going until someone taps out. Ok?" 

 

Kingo nodded and planted his feet, "Ok. On three?" 

 

Ikaris got into his own battle stance with his hands firmly at his side as he nodded back. 

 

Kingo's arms started to glow as he counted down 

 

"Three"

 

Kingo couldn't help his nerves as Ikaris' eyes glowed. 

 

"Two" 

 

He had to come up with some plan. Or maybe he should just throw? But Ikaris would know he was throwing.

 

"One" 

 

And with that, he was out of time. 

 

Ikaris surged forward and Kingo narrowly ducked a punch. He landed his own punch to the flying being's ribs, using a bit of his energy to throw Ikaris back. Ikaris rolled until he caught himself and flew in this time, landing a solid strike under Kingo's Jaw. He then flew up and tilted his head down at the other. 

 

Kingo shook his head and aimed, he fired a shot that Ikaris easily avoided. Ikaris then fired his own and hit Kingo in the chest. It was a weaker blast but it still tossed him a few feet back and took the wind out of his lungs.

 

Ikaris was getting the upper hand fast as he stayed in the air. Kingo was landing some shots but Ikaris had the ability to attack at a long-range and fly in for a punch. Kingo was breathing hard as he stared up at the human proclaimed sun god. 

 

"Calling it Kingo?" Ikaris let his tone be playful for once. There was the part of Ikaris that everyone so rarely got to see.

 

Kingo then smirked as he had an idea. It was crazy, but it just might work. He looked at the ground and powered up a ball from each hand. He then jumped and fired both. Next thing he knew he was in the air, at Ikaris' level. He saw the surprise in the other's face and acted fast. He kicked off Ikaris and used the blasts again to get himself higher in the air, pushing the other down as a result.

 

Kingo looked back at Ikaris in a small crater on the ground as he soared through the air. He was flying, kinda. In his own way. He was so desperate to be like Ikaris. To be as powerful as Ikaris. And here he was. 

 

Then he started to fall the 100 feet he had managed to get himself to. 

 

"Kingo!" Ikaris shouted as he quickly forced himself back up. He flew, thinking he would make it just in time to catch the other. Then Kingo slipped through his fingers and slammed into the suddenly hard Earth. Ikaris froze up as he looked at the other. Kingo had managed to beat him to a point were he wasn't able to catch him in time. Kingo was able to outfight him in his own stupid suicidal way.

 

Kingo cried out as he landed, but was not trying hard to hide how much that just hurt and how he couldn't see Ikaris above him. All he saw were blurry blobs and searing pain, "mm, fine. Imma be alright...the sun looks really big all the way up there." 

 

Ikaris saw the blood from the back of Kingo's head and his nose. It was enough to make him snap back, "We need to get you to Ajak" He picked up the other and winced. He then started flying back to the city. "Why did you do that, Kingo? That was, that was more than reckless."

 

"I wanted to fly. And I could...could only beat you if I could" Kingo slurred his words together, mesmerized by the colorful fast moving blurs whipping past. 

 

Ikaris huffed, though his face shifted to a tender one for a moment. It was the one thing Kingo was able to somewhat focus on, "One day you'll understand your power is good enough without the risk." He landed and rushed to their leader "Ajak" 

 

The woman turned and narrowed her eyes at the sight of the two eternals, one bloody and the other bruised, "What happened?" She asked as she rushed over and started to heal Kingo while he laid in Ikaris' arms. 

 

"We had an accident while training. It's my fault." Ikaris quickly spoke, "I shouldn't have asked to spar with him." He mumbled. As Kingo healed, he saw how Ikaris' eyes shifted, like he was scared of looking at Kingo for too long. 

 

Ajak finished and instructed Ikaris to lay him down on a stone bed. Ikaris put him down and Kingo immediately swung his legs out and sat on the side of the bed. She began healing Ikaris and shook her head "I don't understand why either of you were even out there. Today is a day to celebrate. Be happy. Not fight. You just got married to the love of your life. Shouldn't that be enough for today?"

 

Ikaris looked down then back up at Ajak "it is. I just...it's nothing. It was my fault for being careless." 

 

Kingo was silent, as usual around Ajak during these kind of things. He didn't talk to her often these days. He usually only saw her when he was in trouble. And being in trouble is the one time Kingo refused to talk. That would cause him to actually confront his feelings and actions for once. 

 

Ajak finished with Ikaris and looked between the two Eternals "Ikaris, go see if you can help Sersi" 

 

Ikaris gave a curt nod and glanced at Kingo before taking off into the air. 

 

Kingo tapped his foot nervously as he met Ajaks gaze. 

 

"I know this is hard for you. But you need to remember to be careful. I mean, imagine if we lost you" She laughed but it quickly trailed off when Kingo didn't laugh with her. She moved to cup Kingo's cheek and rubbed little circles into his cheekbone. "Kingo...there are other people. You can find someone, I know you can. It may seem hopeless now, but we have time. You have time" She gave him a reassuring smile. 

 

Kingo nodded slowly "I just….it doesn't feel like it's even getting easier, let alone better" 

 

Ajak sighed "It may never get easier. I remember my first love. I still remember them all these years later. I just...learned how to live beyond her." 

 

Kingo looked down at his hands "Hard to do that when you have to spend eternity with them." 

 

Ajak paused, seemingly battling with something in her head "Go into the city, talk to people, leave the Eternals bubble, maybe you will find something that will help fill the gaps." 

 

Chapter 21: Acceptance

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

-48 hours ago- 

 

"Ikaris!" 

He didn't think. He rarely did at times like this. He threw himself in front of Makarri. The energy hit him like a bullet and burned a mark into his skin. He cluthed the wound, groaning as the Speedster Eternal knelt down next to him, trying to understand what was happening.

Ikaris had a flicker of shock before regaining composure, "Kingo." The voice was calm but firm. 

Kingo looked towards the man's blue eyes and slowly stood, shrugging off Makarri's help, "You lied to me. You lied to all of us. I trusted you! I-I..."

He loved him.

 

-Now-

 

Kingo blinked, getting out of the memory. It was spurred by looking at himself in the mirror. He grazed his fingers over the scar left in his shoulder. It was about the size of his palm. The intial burn also left little circular patterns around it. He never had scars before. Ajak was always there. Now, he had a permanent mark from Ikaris. It was yet another cruel joke the universe was playing on him. He was curious if it would go away when he's reset. 

Today was the day. It was over. He got a text that Sersi and Dane wanted to drive Kingo and Sprite to the airport. Karun was only two hours away in the private jet. Kingo took a deep breath. At least Sprite wouldn't be alone. She'd be with the person he trusted most in this world. He continued to stare at himself in the mirror as he pulled out his makeup and started getting ready. He lathered the khol into his water line, the sting just adding to the desire to cry. 

Part of him was hoping Arishem would take them before he had to see Sprite and Sersi again. As much as he wanted to apologize, they were long past that. Sprite deserved to be as angry as she was. She deserved to make her own choices.

He finished getting ready and sent a text to Sprite letting her know the plan. It was formal and lacked his usual overuse of emojis. He dreaded every step. He didn't want it to end. He wondered if he would still be with Ikaris, or whatever the being was called now. He hoped he will be.

He left his hotel room and walked down to the street. Sprite came out a few minutes after him and walked up next to him. The man gulped, "Did you get a plane ticket?" He asked softly. 

She nodded, looking at the cars, "Yeah. I'm going to the U.S." She tone shared a similar emptiness. 

"Ok. They will be here soon. Do you need help getting through the airport?" He picked at his nails. 

"I'm fine Kingo. I'll figure it out." She gulped as she figeted with her bag. 

He nodded slowly and the duo waited in silence until Sersi and Dane pulled up. They both got out and Dane got to helping Sprite with her bags. Sersi walked up to Kingo and the man straightened, preparing for a lecture. 

"How are you?" She asked with a soft, sad smile. 

Kingo bit his lip and forced one of his own, "About as good as I can be. Listen I'm sorry I-"

"Don't Kingo. Whatever happened last night, that's your business." She sighed as she looked back at the car "Is she going to school? She texted me about it." 

Kingo went along with it, "Oh yeah, yeah I think it will be good for her, help her make some friends." 

Sersi nodded, "You're still upset about him, aren't you?" 

Kingo narrowed his eyes, "Aren't you?" 

"I am, but...it had to happen." She reasoned with her hands behind her back. 

Kingo looked at the sun, "Yeah. We...we all did what we thought was right. We all did what we did for love. Even...even Ikaris." 

She grabbed his shoulder and rubbed her thumb in circles. She gave him a look that spoke more words than they probably ever exchanged. It was a solumn look of greif and understanding. It was the most connected he felt to her since she got with Ikaris. "Exactly, so...now we have to live with those choices." She moved her hand away as Dane finished loading the bags in the trunk. 

Everyone got into the car and they were off. The car was eerily quiet. Dane tried to turn on the radio to alleviate some tension. Kingo looked out the window. He looked at the excited children with their backpacks, looked at couples leaning on each other's arms, looked at a group of elderly friends going shopping. He really loved humanity. He loved Earth. He wanted to miss it, but he doubted he'd remember it's existence. 

They arrived at the airport and Sersi gave Sprite a big hug, reminding her to keep in touch and send pictures. Sersi then hugged Kingo and patted his back. Kingo assumed she thought he was just grieving. She was trying to give him space to do that. If only he had the strength to tell her. 

Sprite and Kingo walked into the airport and Sprite went into the line for her airline without another word. Kingo went through the express line and was told to wait in terminal B until the jet arrived. A half an hour passed and he saw Sprite sit down an aisle down from him. They exchanged an awkward glance before both looking away. 

Sprite got up and moved to sit next to him, "Private jet people have to wait in the terminal with everyone else?" 

Kingo smiled, a genuine warmth returning to his face, "They have special rooms I could use, but they always block out the windows. Not really my thing." 

She nodded as she watched a plane take off, "I uh, Kingo I-"

"If you are trying to apologize, don't." He looked at her and she stared back "You were right. I have...I have been a terrible friend. Not even just to you, to everyone" he laughed bitterly. 

She thought for a moment, "I am still going to the states. But, I just....maybe we can text sometimes?" She offered. 

He let out a shallow breath, "Yeah, yeah, if...if you'd like. But Sprite, don't feel like you have to make up with me if you don't want to. This is your life now Sprite. Your human life. Do what makes you happy." He saw his jet landing on the tarmac. 

She sighed "you're awfully sappy today. I don't want to rely on you anymore. But, I'd be ok with just being friends." She smiled back at him. 

Kingo looked down and shook his head "Sprite. I'm-" he looked ahead and his face went blank as he looked to the sky. 

She looked at him and narrowed her eyes "Hello? Earth to Kingo?" She laughed softly until she heard people around her gasping and shouting. She looked back out the window just as the glass shattered like a bomb went off.

Kingo seemed to momentarily break out of his trance. He wrapped his arms around Sprite and put her face in his shoulder. People were screaming and pointing at the sky. Among the chaos, Kingo stood, his face fell once again as he stepped closer to the window. 

Arishem's eyes loomed down at him. The sky was nothing but his towering form. The eternal gulped as his eyes teared up. 

"Kingo!" Sprite screamed as she ran to him, she tried to grab him but was stopped by rings of celestial metal wrapping itself around him.

He was lifted by the rings and closed his eyes as he was sent flying out of the atmosphere. He vaguely heard Sprite screaming, he may have heard Karun too, he couldn't tell. It was all the blur. 

He had so much he wanted to do. So much he wanted to say. But, this was the end. 

Kingo had to accept what happened. 

And what didn't.

Notes:

This is probably where we end this leg of the story. I may make add on more later, or do a sequel fic. For now this is where we depart.Thank you so much for being on this crazy ride with me!