Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 5 of a life
Stats:
Published:
2021-11-16
Completed:
2021-11-16
Words:
3,459
Chapters:
6/6
Comments:
7
Kudos:
7
Bookmarks:
1
Hits:
240

Untold

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter Text

Song for issue 02



Johnny Mathis - Wonderful Wonderful (1957)

Sometimes we walk hand in hand by the sea

And we breathe in the cool salty air

You turn to me with a kiss in your eyes

And my heart feels a thrill beyond compare

Then your lips cling to mine

It's wonderful, wonderful

Oh, so wonderful, my love


Sometimes we stand on the top of a hill
And we gaze at the earth and the sky

I turn to you and you melt in my arms

There we are, darling, only you and I



What a moment to share

It's wonderful, wonderful

Oh, so wonderful, my love

The world is full of wondrous things, it's true

But they wouldn't have much meaning without you



Some quiet evening I sit by your side

And we're lost in a world of our own

I feel the glow of your unspoken love

I'm aware of the treasure that I own



And I say to myself

"It's wonderful, wonderful

Oh, so wonderful, my love

"And I say to myself

"It's wonderful, wonderful

Oh, so wonderful, my love"

 


Scene 01:

Amber residence - The Ambers and Chloe are sitting at the new all wooden dinner table

Rose: "How do you like your coq au vin , Chloe?"

Chloe (almost choking) : "My what?"

(Rachel leans in closer and quietly explains)
Rachel: "The food, chicken cooked in wine, French national dish I think."

Chloe: "Oh, uh yeah, uhm... It's really good, thanks."

Rose smiles. 

Then everyone is awkwardly silent again. The ticking of the huge grandfather clock is deafening.

 

(Chloe takes a sip out of her glas and breaks the silence by laughing into it as she drinks)

Chloe: "Kinda funny, everyone sitting here, eating cock,- that's what I call a Friday night! Am I right?"

 

(Rachel giggles, but stops, when she sees Rose dropping her fork and James' disapproving look)

 

Rose (after a bit of silence and everyone eating again): "Maybe we should change the subject? Rachel, you’re still friends with your classmate Nathan Prescott, right?

I called his mother Caroline today and guess what? They were still undecided on their summer vacation. So I spontaneously invited the entire family to our cabin on Martha's Vineyard to celebrate your birthday and she said yes. Doesn’t that sound lovely?"

 

(Rachel stops chewing, her fork midair)

Rachel: "What?"

Chloe: "Martha's Vineyard? What the fuck?! Aren’t we going to..."

Rachel: "I am NOT joining the annual family vacation this year. Chloe and I will be in California this summer."

James: "Rachel,... actually..."

 

(Rachel's face turns red)

Rachel: "You promised, you said, you'd take us to San Francisco where she lives!"


(Chloe puts her hand on Rachel's, trying to calm her down, without saying anything, since she already made a faux pas with her stupid joke)
Rose: "I don't understand, Rachel. We are always together in the summer. Sixteen is an important one for a young lady."
James: "Rachel, honey, I'm sorry. Your mother and I talked about it and-"
Rachel: "Rose"
James: "Pardon me?"
Rachel: "You said ‘your m-o-t-h-e-r’".
James: "Rachel, don't start..."
Rachel: "You promised! (Rachel starts yelling) After my last doctor's visit, my arm is all healed up now, you promised me, you swore, you'd make up for everything and take Chloe and me to Cali to see Sera."
James: "Rachel-"
Rachel: "STOP! Stop saying my name. Stop talking to me! I trusted you, I trusted you both... again!"
Rose (trying to be calm): "Rachel my dear, can’t you try to understand what..."

(Rachel turns to Rose and gets right into her face)
Rachel: "No. I am tired of understanding, I am tired of waiting and I am tired of being lied to, especially by you. What are you so fucking scared of, woman? Why are you so determined to keep me away from my real mother, that you don't even shy away, from personally inviting Nathan Prescott into my pants?"
(Rose starts sobbing and leaves the table heading upstairs)
Silence. Rachel is trembling with anger.

James: "Was that really necessary?"
Rachel: "I don't know Jimmy, was it?”
James (screaming): "Enough! Go to your room. And you (turning to Choe), you go home. I don't want to hear another word from either one of you tonight."

(Rachel stares at her father, the fire burning in her eyes, her anger growing bigger by the second, she is debating with herself, then she completely expressionless very slowly,  reaches into her pockets and puts her keys first, then her wallet and her phone on the table, turns on her heels and leaves the house, Chloe in toe)

Chapter Text

Scene 02:

Junkyard - Chloe and Rachel are sitting in the truck, it’s raining outside

(Rachel has her knees pulled up to her chin, face down. Chloe is playing with a hole in her jeans, poking her fingers through, back and forth)

[showing outside of car with rain drops to visualize time passing]


(Rachel lifts her head)
Rachel: "Can I have a cigarette,... please?"
(Chloe pats down her pockets)
Chloe: "Uuuh..."
Rachel: "You can just say no, god. I didn't ask for your fucking kidney."
Chloe: "I'm out. I just... don't have any left."
(Chloe rummages through her truck, but no, no cigs in there)
Rachel: "Oh."

(Rachel puts her head down again, locking the outside world out. Chloe touches her elbow, trying to get to her, but Rachel doesn't move)

Chloe: "Hey" (she shakes her slightly) "come on, Rachel."

(Chloe puts one hand under Rachel's chin, trying to lift it up. She kisses the corner of Rachel's mouth. Rachel backs away into the side of the car and stares at Chloe angrily)

Rachel: "I am really not in the mood, there’s not a chance in hell you’re getting some right now!"
Chloe (holding up her hands in defense) : "Jeez, I was just trying to comfort you."
(Rachel closes her eyes for a moment)
Rachel: "I know. I'm sorry… I’m a huge bitch to you, when you’re being so cute."

Chloe doesn't respond, but she does remember something. The joints she rolled for a previous date/meet up. The ones, they didn't smoke. Until she smoked one of them later.

Chloe: "This is my last one. Want it?" (She offers it to Rachel)
Rachel: "And you?"
Chloe: "I'm driving."
Rachel: "And?"
Chloe: "And I'm driving .
(Rachel looks at Chloe, she understands, rolls the blunt in her hands thinking)

Rachel: "Your place? And we share it?"
(Chloe looks out the windshield, the rain is pouring down harder,
she nods and starts the engine. They are seen driving through the rain, Chloe's hands are both on the wheel, before Rachel places her hand open on Chloe's thigh and Chloe takes it, interlacing their fingers [or] draws a heart into it with her forefinger.)

Chapter Text

Scene 03:


Chloe’s house - nighttime - still raining, maybe not as heavy as before, (dizzling)

They sneak upstairs into Chloe’s room, past the wedding stuff that seems to be EVERYWHERE.

Chloe throws Rachel a shirt from her closet, since Rachel doesn’t have any sleep wear or other clothes to change into with her, and they get cozy in front of Chloe’s TV.
After some stupid shit they watch, Chloe gets up and rumages around under her bed because she noticed that Rachel was still down and not paying any real attention.

Chloe: “A-haa!” (holding up a very dusty videotape)
Rachel: “That looks prehistoric.”
Chloe smiles and blows on the videotape, before putting it into the player by her TV.
Then she cuddles up to Rachel again.


They see short clips of Chloe with Max and then toddler Chloe and baby Chloe, and then just Chloe’s parents, one video clip where a younger William and a younger Joyce dance on the dance floor on their wedding day.
The Song “Wonderful Wonderful” is playing.

Rachel watches Chloe and the video clip, she thinks about her parents, her mother(s).
Chloe : “They were so happy…”
Rachel: “Isn’t that song from the 60’s or 70’s?”
Chloe chuckles .
Chloe: “1957 actually. My grandparents’ first dance, I guess that’s why William and Joyce chose it for their first dance too.”
Rachel: “How wonderful... literally.
Chloe hugs Rachel and closes her eyes for a moment.

Rachel: “Do you think you'll get married one day and make it your song?”
Chloe shrugs, but doesn’t answer.

 

Rachel: “Chloe…?”
Chloe (into the void) : “I really miss him… so much… this stupid fucking wedding and everything that goes into it, it feels so wrong and ridiculous… and fucked up… I just somehow was hoping she would change her mind, but… it’s too late, now I just want this bullshit to be over.”
Rachel puts her arms around Chloe, holding her tight.

Chloe: “When I look into the mirror, I see Dad’s face, but I don’t feel like I’m his daughter anymore, I am not the person he raised with his wife, the love of his life, his LIFE...I am not the one he knew and cared for and… loved. I am an empty shell of… what I was… of myself.”
Rachel : “You’re not, you don’t feel empty.”

Chloe (turning off TV): “I think sometimes Mom wishes it was me instead of him”
Rachel: “Oh Chloe, NO! She would never-”
Chloe: “And sometimes I do too.”
Chloe and Rachel both cry a lot, Rachel rocks Chloe in her arms, as they are sobbing.



After a while, Rachel gets up and puts some upbeat music on, low volume.
Chloe: “What the hell?” Chloe looks at her surprised with puffy eyes.
Rachel: “How about a little therapeutic distraction?”
Chloe: “I am kinda busy balling my eyes out.”
Rachel: “I can see that, which is why it is time for a little lap dance.”
Chloe cry-giggles
Chloe: “Yeah- suuuure”
Rachel: “Come on, it’ll take your mind of… things”
Chloe heavily sighing: “Okay”



Rachel takes a seat on Chloe’s bed and when nothing happens immediately, she taps her thighs.
Rachel: “My lap is ready, go ahead”
Chloe ( surprised ): “Wait, what- you want me to- NO! I thought you were gonna-, hell NO, I am not- you fucker!!!” They both laugh. Chloe throws herself on top of Rachel and pulls her shirt over her head.
Rachel (now shirtless) : “See? Now your mind is already somewhere else.”

Chapter Text

Scene 04:

 

Nighttime - Rachel wakes up out of a deep sleep, because she thought, she heard something (Chloe mumbling, like she was talking to her Dad) , - Chloe’s room

Chloe is sitting on the desk by her open window, staring into the darkness outside.

Rachel: “Chloe?”
Chloe, slowly turning her head towards Rachel: “I can’t get married... even if I wanted to,  Dad is gone. Who’s gonna walk me down the aisle, David?! The step-fucker? Fuck that.”

Rachel (more to herself) : “Okay” (she turns around in bed and Chloe gets up to join her)

Rachel (spooning Chloe)

 

“Where I does not exist, nor you,

So close that your hand on my chest is my hand,

So close that your eyes close as I fall asleep.”

Chloe (smiling) : “Quoting Frost again?”
Rachel: “Nope”
Chloe: “Shakes…?”
Rachel (dozing off) : “Mmh-mmh…”
Chloe: “Wait… I know that… is that… Neruda ??”
(Rachel doesn’t respond because she is sleeping)
(Chloe closes her eyes, ready to go back to sleep again, she spoons Rachel)
Chloe: “Of course it is.”

 


pre-wedding montage ideas (illustrated  without written story)

 

  • Chloe makes Rachel a mixtape by going through every single song on her PC and hands her the infamous “Rachel songs” CD.

  • Rachel is dancing in her underwear through Chloe’s room, wearing headphones, as Chloe is still sleeping and then when Chloe wakes up, she watches Rachel, smiling

  • Rachel goes back home to get her phone and wallet, some clothes, her wedding outfit and a mysterious package (both not to be revealed yet) she leaves the keys on the table where they were and doesn’t talk to or look at her parents.

  • Chloe refreshes her 420 stash and smokes while Rachel plays fetch with a slightly grown puppy Pompidou at a remote part of the beach (RV in the background, Frank doesn’t take the money Chloe is handing him, because he is too busy following his dog or rather the girl with his dog, with his eyes)

  • Chloe and Rachel search for the perfect wedding outfit for Chloe and one of them is having a lot of fun, the other one not so much (hangers marked with “no”, “maybe”, “hella”, show different ridiculous outfits on Chloe but not the one they end up with and Rachel’s outfit is a complete mystery until the wedding actually takes place)

  • Rachel’s friends Evan & Steph are hired for the wedding. Evan takes the pictures (nice Chloe and Rachel poses) and Steph is a DJ (giving them the right track when they go crazy, much to the dismay of David and his family. Remember, Chloe is now the only remaining Price in town, since her Mom takes David’s name and none of William’s family members are ofc at the wedding)
    .
  • They dye Chloe’s hair purple, pink and blue just before the wedding.

  • Rachel is having dinner with her parents at a nice restaurant, she seems miserable. (They convince her to join the vacation and also to finally come back home. Rachel agrees but makes both of them sign a paper “sign here” post it).

  • Show Rachel going to the jewler and buy Joyce/Chloe’s ring back.

wedding montage ideas (illustrated without written story)

 

  • Chloe draws a mustache on the David-wedding-cake-topper
  • Rachel steals the Joyce-wedding-cake-topper, before they run off
  • Cheap fake champagne, nibbling on the food and cake smashing
  • Inspirations for Chloe and Rachel dancing below (heavily contrasted to the wedding couple and their guests)

There is no picture of it but I would love to see them in a hoola hoop together

Chapter Text

Scene 05

 

Wedding venue - Joyce’s and David’s wedding, somewhere out in the green, maybe a hill or wide field, etc., not too fancy looking, they can’t afford that, but visibly still Arcadia Bay, shiny, warm, summer, mid July, around 30 to 50 guests, most of them older, mostly David’s relatives-

Wedding officiant: “I have the great honor to officiate the union of Joyce Price and David Madsen. I love the simplicity of this ceremony.
Two people becoming one, in the presence of God and the witness of the significant people of their lives. Making vows to one another.

For centuries, we as humanity have been forming bonds and getting married.
In different circumstances and different places.
Joyce and David know each other, they are devoted to each other, respect one another and they love each other.
It is the power of love, that gives us strength, circumstances good or bad.
Our circumstances don’t define us.

In the middle of tough times that don’t seem joyful, we can still have joy.
In the middle of times that aren’t peaceful, we can find peace within each other.
Joy comes in knowing that we’re not alone.”


- small break, showing wedding venue-

Wedding officiant: “Though outwardly we are wasting away, our spirits are being renewed every day.
For our present troubles are small and they won’t last very long.
Yet they’ll produce a glory for us that vastly outweighs them in and will last forever.
So we don’t look at the troubles we can see now, rather we fix our eyes, our gaze, on the things that can’t be seen.
For what we see now will soon be gone but the things we cannot see will last forever.
And that is what love is .”

 

 - small break, showing wedding venue-


J & D:

“With this ring,
I marry you
and bind my life to yours.”

Chloe looks at the wedding band she is wearing, the one her father gave to her mother years ago, the one she’s been wearing for two years now, since death did part her parents.
One single tear rolls out of her eye, Rachel catches it with her lips, as she places a quick kiss on Chloe’s cheek and pokes her fingers into the corners of Chloe’s mouth and pulls them up to make her smile just a little, as if Chloe was crying for joy, but they can’t fool anyone. Chloe looks disturbed and more tears stream down her face, when she sees David kiss “his bride”.

Chloe hides her face and walks away, when J & D are presented “Mister and Misses David Nicholas Madsen.”

Chapter Text

Scene 06 - part I

 

Bay, somewhere not too far from shore but on the water, in a sailboat - Chloe and Rachel chilling, Rachel sitting with her feet in the water/standing relaxed with the wind blowing in her hair, looking at the pink/orange horizon, her previous outfit next to her, stripped down to her underwear, with a flannel shirt casually thrown on, Chloe, still in her wedding attire, on her back with one arm under her head-


Chloe: “Who’s boat is this?”
Rachel: “Caroline Prescott’s.”
Chloe: ”Ah hell naw…”
Rachel: “Excuse you, I’m going to spend the next few weeks with her on an island I didn’t even want to go to in the first place. With her and her entire family and my parents.”
Chloe: “Ooh, poor little rich girl, has to spend her birthday in a luxurious cabin, where she’s gonna get showered with gifts and cash and all sorts of nice things…”
Rachel: ”Chloe, stop being an asshole and just say, you’re gonna miss me.”
Chloe: “Meh”
Rachel smiles, shaking her head: “Fine, then don’t. I’m gonna miss you.”

Rachel reaches out to touch Chloe, a simple quick motion, yet powerful and for a second, the world stands still, then she points at the sparkling water surface.
Rachel: “Come on, let’s dip in, before it gets too cold and dark”
Chloe: “Fresh hair dye… but you go ahead”

Rachel lets the flannel drop and jumps off the boat and goes for a little swim, but then watches Chloe, who stares up at the sky, taking off her wedding band and then in the sun you can actually see the engraving “W to J”.
Rachel rests her head on her arms, looking at Chloe from one end of the boat.

Rachel: “Chloe…”
Chloe, quickly putting her ring back on: “Do you really have to go? Can you not, like,... just stay here?”
Rachel can’t look Chloe in the eyes for a moment.
Chloe: “Can I… can I really not come with you? I’ll behave, I swear. I won’t even say ‘fuck’ or ‘shit’ or… or chew with my mouth open or whatever, really. Please.”
Rachel: “I really wish that was an option.Trust me.” (Something is sparkling in Rachel’s eye, could be a water drop, but also a tear, Chloe isn’t sure.)

Rachel pulls herself onto the boat again, sits back to back with Chloe, looks in the same direction.
Rachel: “Can I have a-” (Chloe is already offering her a cigarette, Rachel smiles and takes it)
Rachel: “Can I borr-” (Chloe already pulled out a brand new lighter, on it is written “get your own fucking lighter”)
Rachel laughs,takes it and lights up her cig.

 

Chloe: “So… I don’t know what to give you for your birthday, but… I made these last night... so here.”
Chloe hands Rachel a bracelet. It has a “C” chain on it. She reveals another bracelet with a “R” chain on it. They tie them around each other's wrists.
Chloe: “You don’t have to wear it though. It’s… cheesy and whatever.”
Rachel: “I like it, it has Chloe written all over it. Thank you.”

They sit for a moment, not saying or doing anything, but enjoying each other's company.

Chlo e: “I’m gonna miss you, Rachel, so much.”
They hold hands until Chloe falls asleep on the boat.



Scene 06 - part II

 

- Bay, Chloe wakes up, alone on the boat, it’s tied to the pole, where they first took it.
She must have slept for maybe two hours, it’s not yet dark, but the sun is almost setting, looks golden (golden hour, shimmering). She is covered with Rachel’s flannel.

 

Chloe gets up slowly, realizes Rachel is gone and she is back on the shore, it’s a little windy, the flannel flies off and Chloe barely catches it.
A little square box falls out and there is a sticky note on it.

 

Chloe opens the box, already kind of knowing what is in it.
It’s her grandmother’s/Mom’s engagement ring.
Then she reads the note. The only thing written on it: I'm aware of the treasure that I own
<3 RA


Chloe puts the ring (without box) in the flannel pocket and wears the flannel home, wearing Rachel’s scent.

She goes home and hangs the shirt into her closet, aware that it won’t smell like her anymore, when Rachel finally returns after the summer.

-end issue 2-

Notes:

This was supposed to be issue 2 of the 'a life' comic.
Due to life changes and schedules and time, it will probably not ever be finished, but here is the story for you to read and hopefully enjoy.

Series this work belongs to: