Actions

Work Header

Don't Go

Summary:

When Natasha returns hurt from a mission, 3 year old Yelenas, little world is shook. Two months later Natasha has another mission, resulting in a tantrum from the toddler in fear of Natasha getting hurt again.

Notes:

-YELENA IS 3-

Thank you, Lau, for your request! Sorry it took me a while, i've been busy between school, work, and softball.
This is a little graphic, so beware.

Work Text:

Natasha swiftly dodged a punch to her face and delivered a clean kick to the agents stomach, effectively taking the man down. She took in her surroundings, finally free of attacks, Natasha could fully inspect the H.Y.D.R.A lab they were infiltrating. There were scattered papers and documents covering the floor, multiple instruments and sharp tools strewn across counters, and what appeared to be little beds placed around the room. Natasha walked around, inspecting each tool and paper she came across with curiosity. She rounded a corner and was met with the tragic sight of a little body, covered by a thin white sheet. Natasha hesitantly stepped forward, reaching a shaking hand out to the sheet. She needed to make sure whoever was under the sheet didn't need help and was actually gone. Natasha slowly pulled the sheet back to be greeted with the gut-wrenching sight of a pale little girl with blonde hair, looked to be no older than 10. Natasha took in a sharp breath and quickly covered the little body back up, determining the girl had passed away. Before she could process it, she was doubled over, emptying her stomachs contents onto the floor.

Natasha had seen dead children before. Natasha had killed children before, only being a child herself. But now everything was different, Natasha Romanov had a child, a little girl, who was currently waiting for her mother to return. A 3 year old who had big dimpled smile, adorable button nose, and dirty blonde hair, just like the child on the table. Natasha was suddenly itching with the need to hold her baby. Hear Yelenas beautiful, little voice. Feel the toddlers soft breaths against her neck, as she held her tiny body. Smell the scented baby shampoo, she always washed Yelenas hair with. Reassure herself that the only light in her life, was alive and okay.

Natasha was harshly broken out of her thoughts by a hard kick to her ribs. She turned around swiftly to be met with a H.Y.D.R.A scientist, the mans fist flying towards her in an attempt to collide with her face. Natasha swiftly grabbed his arm, throwing him over her shoulder onto the ground roughly, before finishing the job.

"Nat, you ok? You haven't been on comms in a while." Clint's concerned voice rang through her ear.

"Fine, all clear here, heading back to the jet now." Natasha replied as she made her way back to the jet. Ready to leave and return back to her kid.

Only as Natasha was sitting in her seat and her adrenaline was wearing off did she feel the sharp pains radiating from her side. She winced as she repositioned herself in her seat, hoping to find a more comfortable position but failing. She brought a hand up to her aching ribs, catching Clint's attention.

"You're hurt." The archer stated, his concerned gaze boring holes into Natashas skin.

"I'm fine," was the short reply she gave her best friend, moving her gaze to look out the window.

"Nope, last time you pulled that, you were bleeding internally." Natasha groaned, she just wanted to shower and hold her baby. She didn't want to be hauled to med-bay over some bruised ribs, she's had worse and been fine.

"Clint, it's just a bruised rib, i'll live." Clint stared at her for a long moment before sighing in defeat. He noted her clipped mood and knew only his niece could drag the redhead out of whatever was plaguing her mind.

The jet finally touched ground at the compound and Natasha all but jumped up from her seat. Jogging as fast as she could, given her ribs, into the building in search of her little munchkin. Natasha entered the living room and was greeted with the sight of Yelena happily sitting on Peppers lap, playing with Wandas fingers. Both Wandas and Peppers head snapped up at her upon her entrance.

"Mama!" Yelenas little squeal sounded through the room, breaking the pause of silence.

Just like that, color was brought back into Natashas grey world. The sun appeared again after a great storm. Natasha felt tears of relief and happiness spring into her eyes at the sight of her baby with outstretched arms towards her. She swiftly crossed the room, ignoring her screaming ribs, in favor of plucking Yelena up from Peppers lap. The toddler happily squealed burrowing into her mothers tight hold. Yelenas little cheek was squished against Natashas lips, as the woman pressed several kisses to the precious baby-fat ridden cheek. There was no space between the mother and daughter. Natasha reveled in Yelenas soft scent of baby powder, frantically caressing the soft baby skin.

"Hi baby." Natasha softly murmured into Yelenas soft, locks of blonde hair. The toddler pulled back an inch to take in her mothers face, tiny hand coming up to wipe away her mothers tear. Natasha caught the little hand and pressed a kiss to the tiny palm then each of Yelenas perfect, little fingers.

"Mama sad?" Yelena asked, her big concerned eyes meeting her mothers tear ridden eyes. Natasha quickly shook her head, reassuring Yelena that she was just ‘extra happy’ to see her. Yelena nodded, completely believing her mother despite still being confused.

"Ok, we will let you catch up with your mama, Lena." Pepper exclaimed as she stood from the couch, Wanda mirroring Peppers movements.

Natasha suddenly remembered the two woman were in the room, her baby having her full attention. Natasha turned to face the pair, an apologetic look present on her face.

"Sorry, she wasn't any trouble, was she?" Natasha asked, swaying Yelena a little in her arms, as the little girl gave a dimply smile to Wanda and Pepper. Both woman visibly melted and Natasha felt herself doing the same at the adorable sight.

"No, she never is, you've got a little angel Nat." Pepper exclaimed, tickling Yelenas side, causing the little girl to erupt into precious giggles. Natasha was instantly filled with pride at Peppers words. A proud grin appearing on her face as she gazed at Yelenas giggling form.

"Yeah, tell mama what we did, Lena." Wanda stated, smiling at the giggling toddler. Natasha turned her head to Yelena with a raised eyebrow and exaggerated curiosity.

Yelena sobered, a small smile present on her face none the less. She turned to face Natasha, a small hand playing with her mothers red hair gently. "We drew pictures!" Yelena exclaimed excitedly pointing to the table, where several papers and crayons were scattered across the marble top.

Natasha drew in a gasp of disbelief, a wide smile on her face for the little girl in her arms. "Really?!" Yelena nodded her little head, earnestly. A big smile on her face, at her mothers impressed reaction.

"Look, me and you, mama." Yelena exclaimed, little finger pointing to one of the drawings. Natasha looked down to be meet with a scribbled drawing of a stick figure with red hair holding hands with a little stick figure with yellow hair. A big red heart drawn above both of their heads.

Natasha felt her heart literally melt as she picked up the precious treasure, she pressed a kiss to the paper, turning to Yelena and doing the same thing to the toddlers cheek. "I love it, baby, it's beautiful."

Yelena gave her a smile brighter than the sun, Natasha couldn't help pressing a kiss to the toddlers little forehead. She felt Yelena slump into her and deemed it bedtime. With a goodnight and thank you to Wanda and Pepper, Natasha carried Yelena into their bedroom, no longer able to ignore her protesting side. She set Yelena onto the bed, putting Moana on the tv. Pepper had already bathed Yelena and dressed her into pink and white pjs, so she instructed Yelena to wait for her while she showered quickly. Yelena nodded her little head, dutifully while directing her attention to her favorite movie. Natasha made quick work of showering, eyes widening at the large and deep purple and blue bruise littering her right side. She quickly continued, not wanting to leave Yelena alone for long.

She returned to Yelena, fighting her closing eyes, still sitting up. She let out a hearty chuckle at the adorable 3 year old plopped down on her bed. Yelena, receiving a second wind at the sight of her mama, smiled at Natasha as she watched her mother get dressed in a t-shirt and shorts. Natasha finally returned to bed laying down, next to Yelenas tiny frame, sitting cross legged on the bed. Yelena lifted her arms up and Natasha knew exactly what her kid wanted.

She carefully slipped Yelenas pajama shirt off from the girls torso, doing the same to her own top. Yelena loved doing skin to skin, while Natasha treasured it, knowing one day the toddler would stop requesting it. Natasha held her arms out to Yelena, once she had slipped her shirt off, faltering at Yelenas panicked expression.

"What? Whats wrong baby?" Natasha said rushed, hating the heartbroken expression on Yelenas little face.

"Mama have boo-boo." Yelena stated devastatingly staring at Natashas Purple and blue side.

Natasha sighed, slight relief at the prospect of nothing being wrong with Yelena physically. "Mama will be okay, baby, she just got a boo-boo on her trip."

A tear slowly slid down Yelenas cheek and Natasha cupped Yelenas cheek, gently wiping the tear away with her thumb. "Trip hurt mama?" Yelena asked in small voice.

Natasha nodded solemnly, pulling her sweet baby closer, "but mama will be okay, I have my baby to look after me, huh?" Yelena brightened slightly at her words, nodding slowly.

Yelena crawled closer to Natashas side carefully. Natasha thought Yelena might attempt to climb over her battered side, closing her eyes in anticipation of pain, only to be shocked at the feel of a small, gentle kiss being pressed to her side. Natasha opened her eyes to see Yelena ever so gently trailing her tiny hand along Natashas bruise. Her heart swelled with love for her precious baby. Yelena was too good for this world.

"Let mama hold you, baby girl." Natasha said lovingly to the toddler. Yelena crossed Natashas legs over to her right healthy side. Yelena gently collapsed into Natashas embrace. Yelenas little head falling onto Natashas chest and her tiny body lying along Natashas torso, careful to stay from her mothers boo-boo. Natasha watched as Yelenas thumb came up to her mouth and her little eyes closed. She pressed a lingering kiss to Yelenas soft hair, wrapping her arms around Yelena protectively. Natasha closed her eyes feeling nothing but love for her baby.

-----

It had been two months since Natashas horrible mission. She had taken some time away from missions, to let her ribs heal and to spend time with the love of her life, her daughter. She was currently laid on her back, FaceTiming Laura, with Yelena sprawled out onto of her like a blanket. The 3 year old was napping peacefully, the sound of her mothers soft voice having lulled her to sleep. Tony walked into the living room, a soft smile on his face at the sight of his sleeping niece.

"I don't want to wake Lena, so i'll make it quick. A small mission came up, your name written all over it." Tony said in a hushed whisper, staring intently at the redhead.

Natasha sighed, she loved missions but she loved her kid way more. It seemed like every time she left, she missed Yelenas little milestones. Not to mention Yelena had been very clingy since finding out that her mother was not indestructible. "I don't know, To-"

"Look Nat, it's been two months, its a quick mission. Take out the 4 agents, get the flash drive, and get out. You'll be gone 6 hours at most. It's just to keep Fury off your back." Tony whispered interrupting her. Fury would notice if she stopped going on missions and probably give her a big dad speech about balancing work and her personal life.

"Okay." Tony nodded, a sympathetic smile on his face, as he turned to exit, with one last glance at Yelena.

"Bring Yelena here, I'll watch her while you're gone, Cooper and Lila miss their cousin." Laura chirped from the phone. Natasha looked down at the sleeping munchkin onto of her, smiling. Yelena loved the farm, it would definitely make the entire thing easier.

"Thanks Laura. Maybe we'll spend the night." Laura nodded her head enthusiastically from her place on the phone.

"Perfect the kids will be so excite-" Laura was interrupted by a loud crash and giggles. "I have to go see what that was. Bye Nat, enjoy your sleeping angel." Laura stated with a joking tone before hanging up.

Natasha watched Yelena sleep for a minute, stroking her soft blonde hair, and chuckling every time the toddler scrunched her nose or made a face. She gently began to wake Yelena, since it was almost time for dinner.

"Baby, wake up." Natasha sat up, bringing the toddler up with her, Yelenas little eyes fluttered open in confusion. Once she caught gaze of Natasha a sleepy smile came across her face.

"There she is, Hey baby." Natasha stated softly, staring lovingly down at her baby.

Yelena gave her a large dimpled smile, standing shakily on the couch to press a wet kiss to Natashas cheek. Natasha picked Yelena up, smiling at her sweet baby, as she hugged Yelena close. She finally set Yelena onto her feet as she wanted to address the toddler seriously.

"Baby, mama has to go on another trip, so you get to stay with aunt Laura, Cooper, and Lila while mamas gone... Is that ok?" Natasha asked at Yelenas silence. She could always have Tony and Pepper watch Yelena if the girl didn't feel like going all the way to the farm.

"Mama go on trip?" Yelena asked with a concerned expression. Natasha furrowed her brow, that wasn't what she thought was troubling her kid.

Natasha nodded slowly "Yes, but it's a quick trip, mama will be back in time for bed."

Yelena burst into tears, "No mama, no go." Natashas eyes widened, she knew Yelena might be a little upset at the prospect of her leaving, especially after getting used to Natasha being there at all times these past two months.

"Baby, mama has to go, it's her job." This only made the toddler more upset as her tears now turned into sobs. Natashas heart hurt, she was about to reach out to Yelena but the toddler promptly threw herself onto the floor, little limbs flailing.

Natasha was dumbfounded, Yelena had never done this before, normally her kid was sweet and understanding. Right now her kid was very frustrated and upset and didn't know how to express this. Natasha let Yelena ride out her tantrum wanting the girl to get all of her emotions out of her system. Yelena slowly tired herself out, little chest heaving as she drew in short breaths, from her place on the floor. Natasha slowly laid down next to her baby. She reached a hand out gently rubbing Yelenas little belly.

"Use your words, tell mama what's bothering you, baby." Natasha stated softly, taking in Yelenas little flushed cheeks and noting the slight fever radiating from the toddlers little, overexerted body.

Yelena hiccuped, "don't want mama to go on trip." Natasha nodded, she already figured that much, but wanted to make sure Yelena knew that she was listening.

"Okay baby, why don't you want mama to go on her trip?" Natasha questioned softly, pressing a quick kiss to Yelenas forehead.

A new round of tears fell from Yelenas eyes, the sight broke Natashas heart and she was fighting the urge to pick Yelena up into her arms and back out of the mission. Yelena sniffled, "because trip hurt mama."

Natashas eyes widened in realization, she carefully scooped Yelena up and cradled the toddler to her chest. She never explained to Yelena just what her 'trips' were. All the toddler knew was that her mother left for a day or two and came back with 'boo-boos.' Natasha sighed, she couldn't promise Yelena she wouldn't get hurt and that she would always be here. Yelena nuzzled her little face into Natashas neck, and gripped onto Natashas shirt with her fist.

"Baby, when mama goes on trips, she goes to help people thats why I come back with boo-boos sometimes." Yelena pulled back from her place against Natashas neck, big eyes gazing at her mother with surprise and admiration.

"Mama can't promise she'll never get hurt, but I can promise to try my best not to get hurt." Natasha explained, hoping it would appease her kid.

"Mama help people?" Yelena asked, little voice full of awe. Natasha nodded, slowly, confused on why Yelena was so hung up at the prospect.

A small smile came across Yelenas face. "My mamas a hero." Natasha felt a mix of emotions at the statement. She had done too much wrong to be considered a 'hero', hurt too many people. But she looked down at her daughters little face, 100% convinced Natasha was a hero and just by looking at the little gleam in her hazel eyes, Natasha knew there would be no telling the girl otherwise.

"Mama be careful?" Yelena asked, small voice returning. Natasha nodded earnestly at Yelena. She would fight to stay with Yelena. When she went on missions before Yelena, she was reckless, she had nothing to live for. She was a widow and that was all she was. Now she was a mother, a teammate, an aunt, a best friend, a person.

—————

The inevitable came and Natasha squeezed Yelenas little body tightly, Yelena wrapped her small arms and legs around Natasha in a vice grip. Natasha finally pulled away after a few moments, heartbreaking at the unshed tears in her baby’s eyes. Yelena allowed Natasha to place her on the floor, looking up at her mother through tears.

"Careful mama, 'member?" Yelena asked as a single tear ran down her cheek.

Natasha quickly wiped the tear, pressing one last kiss to Yelenas forehead. "I remember baby." Laura picked Yelena up, comforting her sad niece. With that Natasha left or she never would have.

When Natasha returned later that day, unharmed, Yelena was asleep in the guest bedroom. The toddler fell asleep earlier than usual, having tired herself out from running around with her cousins all day. Natasha showered and joined her baby on the bed. Only then did she notice the paper next to her daughter. There was a stick figure with red hair, the word hero displayed above the figures head, encircled by a giant red heart. Natasha smiled, heart warming, as she pressed a lingering kiss to Yelenas cheek. She cocooned her baby's sleeping form, placing the precious drawing on the nightstand.

She may be Yelenas hero, but Yelena saved her.