Actions

Work Header

Nightowl

Summary:

Go to bed, Xingqiu.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Work Text:

Late nights have a special feeling to them. When everything has gone quiet, and the only sounds are those of the few and rare passing cars and the lamp’s faint buzz.

Late night is the time in which one truly feels free. No responsibilities, no work, no chores. Just peace and quiet in the busy life one carries.

Even when your eyelids feel heavy, and your yawns too frequent, the moment is just too sweet to give up on. Sleeping means morning and morning means that you have stuff to do. Waking up feels like a chore in itself. Not necessarily because it’s all that bad, but leaving your comfy warm bed on a cold autumn morning feels so sad.

So here, at 3am, in his living room, sits Xingqiu quietly and reads. One leg is placed up on the armrest of his favorite chair, while the other is dangling barely an inch above the floor.

He was so engrossed in the story that he did not notice the other household member until he was right beside him, glaring daggers into his side.

“It’s 3 a.m, go to bed,” spoke Chongyun, voice groggy and deep from sleep. Unlike Xingqiu, Chongyun had actually gone to bed early, as he would usually be up at ungodly hours in the morning. Some days Chongyun would wake up before Xingqiu even went to bed.

“Why are you up?” Xingqiu asked, ignoring what Chongyun had said. He bookmarked the page he was at and put the book down. They had this argument (well, discussion) quite often. In which Xingqiu would always lose, so he knew better to bookmark the page before his book was forced shut.

“I had to pee. Why are you up?” Chongyun asked, copying his words with no real anger, the usual softness continued to remain in his eye, even as he let out a tired sigh.

“3 a.m is really not that late. Plenty of people stay up at this time,” Xingqiu explained, quite simply as a matter of fact.

Without a warning, he was lifted out of his chair, carried bridal style in Chongyun’s strong arms. A huff was left out above him, and then they were moving. He was held so easily and carefully, Chongyun always treated him like he was made of glass and as if he weighted nothing more than a feather. Always so caring, he was.

He was carried to their shared bed, put down gently with his head on the pillow. He stayed quiet, enjoying the view of Chongyun’s soft and half asleep expression. Stripping him down to only his boxers, dressing him again in an oversized t-shirt, definitely not Xingqiu’s own, Chongyun joined him, lying down next to him. He shut off the only remaining light, the lamp on his nightstand, tugging Xingqiu close to his chest.

Good thing he had already brushed his teeth earlier, (when he had pretended he was going to bed early) because Chongyun’s grip on him left little possibility of escape. He didn’t mind, it was always like this.

The steady heartbeat in his ear, the shared warmth which he would never grow tired off, the way their legs would tangle without them even noticing. It was another thing he enjoyed about late nights. If not a good book, being held close by his lover was definitely what made him a nightowl.

He wished this moment would never end, wished morning would never come. He could easily die happy in this very moment.

A sigh of bliss left him as he cuddled closer. Chongyun’s hand petting his head lazily.

“I love you,” he whispered.

“Mmhm, love you too,” Chongyun replied.

Falling asleep is not too bad, not when it’s with a heartwarming feeling of pure joy. Sleep comes easy and morning comes too quickly.
But even so, another day means another night.
And another night means more cuddles.

Maybe he will even so selfishly ask Chongyun to stay just a little longer in the morning. But for now, he’ll close his eyes and let the late night carry him away to a dreamless sleep.

Notes:

I’m having writers block and I’m tired af. Just pretend this was absolutely a godsend fic, I don’t know.

Anyway, yes, I’m a nightowl. If you hadn’t guessed that already.