Actions

Work Header

My Valentine

Summary:

It's Valentine's Day at the Avengers Tower, and Bruce Banner has gone all out to surprise his wife with the help of their son and friends. Little does he know, she has a surprise for him too.

Notes:

Thanks for coming back to the series guys! I know it's not anywhere near Valentine's Day, but the plot idea hit me and wouldn't let go, so I went with it. I hope you guys enjoy all the romance and surprises as much as I did!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Work Text:

As the sun rose above the horizon on that February morning, Bruce Banner stood in his kitchen drinking a well earned cup of coffee. Valentine’s Day, the day of lovers, had fallen upon them once again. And this year, he planned to outdo himself with his gifts to his wife.

He’d gotten up early in order to pull all of this together. With the help of his son and Clint, he was sure this was going to be a Valentine’s Day she would always remember. Now, as he steadily drank his coffee, he went over the mental checklist in his head. He’d set everything in place, but still had to run some errands to get the last of everything for their day. Of course, this relied on her believing he’d gone to work for the day. So, when his coffee was made, he’d gotten dressed in his scrubs, set a note on his side of the bed for her to begin her day with when she was awake, before taking the elevator up to Clint’s floor. When he’d spoken to the archer about what he’d hoped to pull off in order to surprise his wife, her best friend had been more than happy to oblige him by letting him hang out on the couch on his floor until she’d left later in the morning with their son.

Pulling out his cell phone, he’d checked to be sure that the hospital had indeed confirmed his day off. With that done, he allowed himself to relax for a short while. 

It was closer to Seven Thirty when Clint finally emerged, dressed and ready for the day.

“Hey.” He said, grabbing Bruce’s attention.

“Hey.”

“You get the text yet?”

“Nope. It’s still a waiting game until Steve takes her out. Then after that, it’s a race against the clock to get everything where it needs to go.”

“Bummer. You ate something before you left, right?” He asked, grabbing a breakfast bar from a bowl on his kitchen counter.

“Yeah. Cup of coffee and some eggs.”

“Nice.” He said, and took a bite of the bar, grabbing a pre made protein shake from the fridge to compliment it. “I’m headed down to the gym, but if you need anything, I’ll have my phone on me.”

Bruce smiled. “Thanks Clint. I appreciate it.”

“No problem.” He said. “She’s my best friend. I just hope she likes it.”

“I’m pretty sure she will.”

With one last wave, Hawkeye disappeared down the elevator, leaving Bruce in what seemed to be a permanent stasis of waiting.

Around half an hour later, his phone buzzed. It was a text from Steve with one word.

Showtime.

Wasting no time, Bruce went to the elevator and pressed the button for their floor to give his wife a day to remember.


When Natasha woke up on the morning of Valentine’s Day, she was surprised to find the bed empty. However, upon further examination, she found a white card left on her husband’s pillow. Reaching to turn on the bedside lamp, she opened it and began to read.

My Dear Valentine,

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I know I’m no poet
But I’ll try and be one for you
So to wish you a happy Valentine’s
And give thanks for all you do
I’m working on a special gift
And this is your first clue
So keep your eyes peeled
For more cards like these
Because where you see them
There’s something form me
Enjoy your day and don’t ever forget
I’ve always loved you from the moment we met.

Love,
Your husband

Natasha felt herself smiling as she sat up in her bed. Her husband was an absolute cheese ball, but in moments like these she couldn’t help but love it. Setting the card on the nightstand, she got up and made their bed, before going to the bathroom to get ready for the day. When she came out, she was surprised to find Steve sitting on her bed.

“What are you doing here so early? I thought you would be out running.” She said, moving to press a kiss to his forehead.

“It’s Valentine’s Day. So I wanted to take you to breakfast.” He said, smiling. 

She smiled. “That’s so sweet. Are you sure you want to go out? We could order in.”

“I’m sure.” He said. “There’s a place nearby that does some diner breakfasts that have been around since I was a kid. I thought it would be fun to take you as a Valentine’s present. You want to go?”

She smiled. “I’d love to.”

Slipping her phone and Wallet in her jeans pocket, she pulled on a long coat before following him to the elevator, too happy to notice her son sending a one handed text from his cell phone without looking at it.


Going up to his floor after his wife and son had left for breakfast, Bruce made a mad dash for his office. The only place Natasha did not often go, and where he could hide gifts for her without worrying about her finding them. Going over to the oak colored desk, he pulled out the bottom drawer to reveal a black lock box. The key to it, kept in this set of scrubs for this exact reason, was immediately withdrawn from his pocket, and used to unlock it. Inside were all the gifts he’d steadily accumulated for her, along with the cards he’d written for her one at a time. Gathering them up, He paired each card with each gift, and then took them out, pair by pair, to hide them, around their floor and the tower.

When he’d finished that he went out of the building to the nearest florist, purchasing a dozen red roses, before running back to their floor, and laying them down delicately with the first card she would see, on top of the coffee table. Then, he went to their bedroom, and changed out of his scrubs into a dress shirt, pants, and a sport jacket in order to save himself a headache later, being careful to ensure nothing was out of place in their room.

With that done, he looked at his watch. He had maybe thirty minutes before Steve would get back with Nat. Just enough time to pick up the rest of the things he needed for his surprise for his wife. Looking around one last time at their floor, he checked to make sure he hadn’t missed anything, before nodding in satisfaction. Taking the elevator down to the garage, he got in his car, and drove off for his destination.


As Natasha and Steve came up the elevator, Natasha smiled.

“That was the best stack of buttermilk pancakes I have ever had."

“And the omelette was great.” He smiled.

“Thanks for letting me try it. That was definitely one of the best Colorado omelettes I’ve ever tasted.”

“I told you you should have gotten one to go, but noooo. You wouldn’t listen to me, even though it was my present.” Steve joked, as she playfully shoved his arm.

“Speaking of presents, when do you want yours?” She asked, as the doors opened.

Steve grinned. “Might want to worry about yourself first.” He said, pointing to the coffee table.

Following his finger, she saw a beautifully wrapped bouquet of roses and a white card sitting by them.

Smiling, she went over to the coffee table and picked up the flowers, smelling their sweet perfume, before she flipped the card open.

Good Morning Valentine,

You’ll have to thank our son later for helping me to get you out of the house for a while to set up the rest of your surprises. Because it is Valentines Day, I thought it would be good to start with some flowers. I always think of roses when I think of you. Beautiful to everyone but dangerous if handled carelessly. These roses, however, were handled with care, as you should be, my beautiful valentine. There’s a vase for them on the dining room table. Put them some place that you’ll see them. I hope they always remind you of how beautiful I think you are. Go about your usual day and know that I’m thinking of you every minute.

Your Loving Husband

Smiling, she turned back to her son. “So this was why you wanted to take me to breakfast, huh?”

Steve gave a bashful chuckle. “Guilty.”

Kissing his cheek, she smiled. “You and your father are way too good at scheming.”

Steve looked at her with a crooked grin. “I’m just being a good soldier and following orders.”

“Then help me find a good spot to put these in.” She said, gesturing him to follow.

“Yes, Mama.”

Going over to the dining room table, she found a beautiful clear crystal vase, and very carefully removed the wrapper from outside of the flowers before she trimmed the stems, sliding the roses inside. Once she filled the vase with water, she looked to Steve, who pointed to the TV stand. Setting them down, she smiled at their beauty, before taking the card with her and setting it alongside the other on her nightstand.

Having had breakfast, she decided a workout in the gym was in order. Going down the elevator, she exited on the gym floor, and went to her locker, where she kept her workout clothes. Grabbing them, she went in the bathroom for a quick change, and stuffed her clothes into her locker. That done, she went into the gym, looking to train.

She always tried to apply somewhat of a routine to her gym workouts, even if she didn’t always use the same equipment. Some Yoga or Pilates to warm up, A bit of a jog to get her heart going, An hour of some form of Cardio, some weight training, and Some time with a punching bag, inevitably.

Her workout varied in equipment used every day but always ended on the same note. She would always cool down on the treadmill. So, when she went to get on it, she was surprised to find a white card resting on it. Smiling, she forced herself to wait until the end of her cool down to read it. Once she’d had a drink of water and had toweled herself off enough to feel like she wasn’t going to sweat all over her card, she opened it.

You Take My Breath Away Valentine.

I hope you’re feeling good after all that’s happened this morning. I love to see your hard work and dedication. Your commitment to fitness and health always inspires me. I love to see you working hard to be your best. You give love to your body, and I love it too. So, to end a great workout, go look in the bottom of your locker and see what’s waiting for you. I hope it takes your breath away like you do me.

Love You,

Your Favorite Workout Partner

It took her a moment to realize that she’d only looked at the top of her locker. Bruce had known she didn’t look that hard when she was first going to workout, so he’d saved it until the end. Smiling at the realization of how well he knew her, she sauntered off to go look in her locker.

Surely enough, there was a box on the bottom floor of the locker. Opening it, She found a brand new pair of Nike running shoes, sized to fit her. She’d told him a few weeks ago that she thought she was going to have to buy some new ones soon. Now, however, she didn’t have to.

Grinning, she grabbed the box and her clothes before going up the elevator to shower on their floor.

When she got up there, she saw Steve on the couch, watching a program on Food Network. Seeing as he was okay, and still seemed to be an adult for the moment, she decided to continue on. It would be time for lunch soon anyway, and she’d have to get cooking. Steve likely wouldn’t stay big for too much longer, since he napped right after lunch.

Going into the bathroom, she set her clothes down when she spotted it. The white card, and a bottle of perfume. Plucking the card from its place on the bathroom counter, she opened it.

I always remember the smell of you, Valentine.

On our first date, I asked you what your favorite perfume was, and you said this one. Over time, I’ve noticed when you’ve worn it on special occasions when we’ve been together. And now it’s my favorite too, because whenever I smell it I think of all the great memories I’ve made with you. So here’s a new bottle to use for the million more memories we’ll make together. 

Love,

Your Forever Date

Grinning, she went and put the card with the others on top of the nightstand before going to shower. The warm water cascading over her made her smile. Her husband had served to give her a very memorable Valentines Day. She could only hope her gift to him would be just as memorable. She’d discussed everything with Wanda and Pepper, and they were still on for the evening. They’d chosen to tackle this valentines day as a team. They could only hope their partners would appreciate the effort.

When she was done, She redressed in her clothes, and spritzed a bit of her perfume on from her new bottle.

Going out to the kitchen, she saw Steve unloading bags onto the table.

“What are you doing, honey?”

“Lunch is here.”

“What?”

“Dad ordered it.”

She smiled and shook her head. “Of course he did.”

He handed her the card himself, and then continued to unload the bags of food.

You deserve a treat, Valentine.

One of the things I’m always grateful for at the end of a long day is seeing you, our son, and dinner on the table. Whether it’s from you, or just takeout, I always appreciate your hard work and time to put food on the table for our family. So lunch is on me today. I ordered all of your favorites. Take your time and enjoy yourself. You have more than earned it.

Love Always,
Your Favorite Dining Companion

Smiling, she looked to see that he’d kept his word. The table was filled with her favorite foods. Kissing her son on the cheek for being the best messenger, she sat down at the table and began filling her plate.

Once she and Steve were seated and had eaten a few bites, she looked to him. “How much of this did he tell you about?”

He looked at her. “He told me about breakfast, that lunch was coming, and one other thing. But obviously I’m sworn to secrecy on what it is.”

“Obviously.” She smiled and rolled her eyes. “Does anyone else know about all this?”

“Clint does. Dad asked if he could stay on his floor until we were gone to finish setting this up. He agreed.”

“You’ll have to remind me to thank him.” She said.

“Oh, you’ll probably see him before I have to.”

“You make a good point."

“Are you still gonna do what you planned with Wanda and Pepper?”

She nodded. “We’re definitely ready. We’ve planned it for weeks. Should go off without a hitch."

“I still don’t know how you guys have managed to keep this a secret. Between Vision, the cameras in the tower, and the fact that the three of you have been gone for the same periods of time, how nobody knew without you telling them is amazing.”

“I know.” She smiled. “I’d like to think that keeping this a surprise is my greatest achievement."

“I’d say it’s some sort of record.” Steve said, taking a sip of soda.

“Oh, maybe. I can only hope they like it.”

“Are you gonna wear that dress I saw hanging in your closet that one day?”

“Yes.”

“I’m pretty sure Dad will like it.” Steve smiled.

Natasha touched his arm in a gesture of thanks, before she began paying more attention to her food.

When Natasha had eaten her fill, she pushed her plate away, replete for the first time in a very long time. Turning to look at Steve, she could tell by looking at him that he was very close to aging down. Standing up, she went over to him and touched his shoulder.

“Do you want your Valentine’s present before you drop or after?”

“Will it make a difference?”

“I don’t think so.”

“After please.” He said smiling.

“Okay.” She said, and gave him a soft kiss on the cheek. “Are you ready for nap time?” She asked, rubbing his back.

“Mmmmm.”

She moved to scoop him up into her arms, and felt his body instantly relax against her, as it always did when he aged down in her arms.

“Let’s get ready for nap time, baby boy.” She cooed, carrying him to the nursery. Opening the door. Going to his dresser, she grabbed the onesie she’d picked out for him for Valentine’s Day. She moved to the changing table and watched as her baby slipped a thumb into his mouth.

“Hang on, Love Bug.” She cooed, and pulled it out to replace it with a pacifier. “That’s better.” She said, before beginning to undress him. After a quick diaper change, she pulled on the onesie. The words “Love Bug” with a picture of Herbie the Volkswagen Beetle on it. Snapping him into it, she picked him back up and took him to the rocking chair to nurse. It always worked to put him to sleep.

She rocked back and forth, pulled down her top, removed his pacifier, and let him latch on. Singing softly, she patted the back of his diaper and watched his eyes beginning to droop. When she was absolutely certain he was asleep, she expertly removed her breast from his mouth, and replaced it with his pacifier.

Carefully, she moved to pick him up and carried him to the bassinet. It took until she’d lowered him halfway down for her to see the card and small velvet box sitting inside. She took in a breath, then reached to get the box and card with one hand before returning both to supporting him, hushing him when he started to try and fuss. After a few moments, she lowered him down into the bassinet, covering him with his blanket, and giving him a goodnight kiss.

Then, she moved back to the rocker, and opened up the card, turning the little moon shaped nightlight on to give her some reading light.

You are the best mother to our son, Valentine.

There is nothing more beautiful than seeing the love of your life become a parent, and you, my Valentine, are the best mother I know. You love our baby, comfort him when he’s sad, and you feed him. I know I’ve spoken of your dedication before, but watching how hard you worked to feed our son from your own body was one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. You are a Goddess in his eyes, and you are in mine too. So to honor that, Steve helped me sneak a bit of your milk in order to have this made. To celebrate not only your dedication to our family, but to show how much your sacrifices for the both of us are appreciated.

Love,
The Father Of Our Son

Confused and extremely curious as to what on earth could have been made with her milk, she opened the velvet box and let out a soft gasp.

Nestled inside its velvet cushion was a double bezeled bypass ring, With a sterling silver band, a stone made of her milk, and the other two stones resting above it being a ruby and a piece of blue zircon- the two birthstones of their family. It was so subtle, and yet it was a perfect way to not only celebrate her love of her family, and to commemorate her nursing journey. Of all the gifts he’d given her today, this was the one that had most touched her heart, and she let a few happy tears escape her eyes.

She slid it onto the ring finger of her right hand and noted that it fit perfectly. Bruce was really outdoing himself this year. She only really let him spoil her on Christmas, Valentine’s Day, their anniversary, Mother’s Day, and her birthday, and he clearly was trying to spoil her rotten. Gifts were definitely one of his main love languages, but because he tended to go overboard with them, she allowed it to happen for herself a few days per year in excess. Not to limit his love, of course, but because she wasn’t all that materialistic and didn’t know what she’d do with it all. Bruce, of course, completely understood that about her, and respected that limit. So for a few days every year, when she let him excessively spoil her, she respected his.

She sat in the rocker a few minutes longer, admiring her ring, before she went to put the card with the rest of its predecessors and cleaned up the table from lunch. When that was done, she sat in the rocker and scrolled for a bit on her phone. There were a few texts from Wanda and Pepper making sure everything was ready, and she replied, saying she had her outfit and was ready to do it later that evening. With everything Bruce had done for her today, this was the only way she could think to thank him. She didn’t consider herself all that good with gifts, but this would definitely be something unforgettable. At least, she hoped so.

She checked her messages, and though there was nothing from her husband, there really didn’t need to be, considering he’d left her almost a half dozen hidden around the tower and their floor. Idly, she couldn’t help wondering how many more she’d find. Although, she had to admit, she’d loved every gift so far. He knew her very well, and it was a testament to that that she did not find herself thinking all of it was too much for her. He’d applied this in a very practical way. Apart from the roses and buying her lunch, which were traditional and very much the norm for the holiday, He’d gotten her things she would use or things that would mean a lot to her. And he’d put it all in a scavenger hunt to give her a little surprise in the most humdrum parts of her day.

What she had done to deserve that, she would never understand. But she would cherish every moment of it.

It was about half an hour later when Steve began to wake, and she smiled, picking him up.

“Hi baby. Did you have a good nap?” She cooed, checking his diaper. He was clean, so she put him on her hip. “You wanna go downstairs and say hi to everyone? I know Uncle Thor is gonna want to give you some snuggles today!” She crooned, heading toward the elevator.

Steve tended to be a fairly social baby when not in distress, so being around the tower’s other residents was something he enjoyed. As the elevator descended to the main floor of the Avengers tower, she couldn’t help but wonder if there would be surprises waiting for her there too.

When the doors opened, she was greeted by Clint, Thor, and Bucky on the couch, playing video games. At the sound of the Elevator’s chime, they turned to see who had come out.

“Happy Valentine’s Day, boys.” She said, rounding the side of the couch and plopping down, before settling the baby in her lap. “And a special happy Valentine’s Day to a certain somebody who helped hide my husband until I was gone for the morning.” She said looking at Clint with a smirk.

When the remark surprised Clint enough to crash in the game, she couldn’t help but snicker a bit.

“Alright, who blabbed?” He demanded, setting down the Playstation 5 controller.

“Relax, Steve told me after lunch that you hid him. No harm done.” She laughed.

Clint, looked at the baby, clearly trying not to smile. “See if I tell you anything anytime soon, little squealer.” He said, tickling Steve a few seconds to make him giggle.

Natasha laughed, and realized that something was poking her when she did. It was odd. This was her favorite spot on the couch. It-

Wait. It was her favorite.

She looked to Clint. “Hold him for a second.”

Looking a bit confused, he obliged her. She stood up and removed the pillow and found what she had anticipated- a black box and a white card. Smiling, she sat back down and flipped open the card.

I love your fierceness, Valentine.

From the moment we met you have always been a force of nature. You are fierce, independent, and a woman who knows what she wants. It’s one of the things I love most about you. So this next present is for you to take with you when you go into battle, so you’ll always have a piece of me with you. Just don’t let the baby touch it.

Love,
Your Biggest Supporter

Opening the black box, her jaw dropped at what she was looking at. An Ed Brown Special Forces Carry I. The closest thing to a custom 1911 out of the box available. The performance was one of the best on the market, and she knew a gun like this cost upwards of over $2400.00. She couldn’t quite believe she was holding it in her hands. It almost felt like she shouldn’t be touching it at all.

She was snapped out of her shock by Bucky giving an appreciative whistle, and looked up to see their game having ended. “What a beauty.”

“I can’t believe he got me this.” She said, shocked.

“Because he’s not violent?” Clint asked.

“Because the price tag on that thing is over two grand.” Bucky supplied.

“And you’re sure it’s genuine?”

“As sure as I can be.” She said, surprised.

“Feel like giving it a test run?” Bucky asked, as she set it back in the box and pulled Steve back into her lap.

“Pretty sure that’s gonna have to wait.” She said, glancing down at Steve, who was currently occupying himself with trying to play with her hair.

“Aw come on, You know he’ll want to see it.”

“And he will. When he comes back.” She said smoothly, as Steve moved a piece of her hair toward his mouth. “Gentle, baby.” She said softly, when he tugged a bit too hard.

Steve reached up to pat her face in apology.

Clint got up. “Well, seeing as I’m out of the game I’m gonna go train a while.”

“Will you be needing any assistance?” Thor asked.

“Nah, I’m alright. They’ll probably need you more than I do.” Clint said, gesturing to Nat and Steve.

Thor gave a nod and looked to the youngest of their clan. “How is my favorite little one today?”

Natasha smiled. “I think he’s feeling the love.” She smiled, giving him a kiss. “My handsome little valentine.” She cooed.

Thor eyed his onesie. “Is that a new outfit?”

“For Valentine’s day.” She nodded. “I thought it was appropriate. I haven’t given him his other present yet. I’m waiting for Bruce to get home.”

“So you dressed him up to show him off, hmm? Very nice.” Bucky said.

“I think he’ll like it. He didn’t know I got it for him.”

“A pleasant surprise is it?” Thor asked.

“Considering he’s filled my day with them this was the least I could do.” She said laughing.

“Okay, well while you two are busy later you drop the munchkin with me. Somebody around here has to laugh while I make fun of every romantic comedy known to man. Right buddy?” Bucky asked, and grinned when Steve gave a squeal in response.

“Are you implying something?” She asked, trying not grin.

“You mean that you two are going to go at it later? Yeah. If somebody got me a gun worth $2400.00 The least I could do is put out.” Bucky replied.

“And when it’s you with the gun you feel free to do that. You really have to do this in front of the baby?” She asked.

“He doesn’t know what I’m talking about so why not?”

“Etiquette.”

“Okay he’s my best friend and you’re a close one. Fuck etiquette.”

“Language.” Nat and Thor chastised at the same time, covering Steve’s ears, even though Nat was having a hard time concealing her own laugher.

“No fun, any of you.” Bucky muttered, playfully rolling his eyes.

After a little while, she noticed an oddity for this time in the afternoon.

“Where’s Tony? He didn’t shut up in the lab all day did he?” She asked, confused.

“Ah, no. I believe he has something planned for Pepper.” Thor said.

“Huh. Good for him.” She nodded approvingly.

“Would you like a bit of time to yourself? I believe we’ll be able to handle this little fighter for a while.” Thor said.

“Are you sure?”

“Very.” Thor nodded.

“Alright. I have a few things left that I need to do anyways.” She said. “If he gets fussy, let me know.”

“Surely.” Thor said, giving a nod.

When Nat was in the elevator, Bucky looked at Thor.

“Think Clint will have made it out by now?”

“One can only hope.” Thor muttered, and bounced the oblivious baby in his lap. “I must admit, what Banner did was quite spectacular by any means. I am impressed.”

“Setting up a scavenger hunt?”

“Continuing to woo his bride after marriage. From what I’ve seen it is a dying art on Midgard.”

“It’s Valentines Day, Thor. Even people who put in no effort normally try and do something nice today.”

“Ah, but look at the lengths with which he went to to pull this off. Involving us all to help, making a scavenger hunt, and planning what will happen on the deck later.”

“Yeah, I guess that’s pretty cool.” Bucky said, watching Steve as he stared with fascination at Thor’s hand. “What d’you say we make the mini man our Valentine’s date while those two are off living in a romance novel?”

“I dare say he’d be fairly pleased with that.”

“So do I.”


As Natasha went up to her floor, she made a list of the few things she still had to do for her Valentine’s gift to Bruce. Looking at her phone, she’d confirmed that everything had been set up for later that night on the Party Deck. With that done, She had to do her hair and makeup before he got home.

Going into their bedroom, however, she stopped short. There was a large box and white card that definitely hadn’t been there earlier.

Smiling, she opened up the card.

You are the best of me, Valentine.

For most of my life I did not think I was worthy of anything. I believed I didn’t deserve anything. But you looked at me and saw the good that I couldn’t. You showed me the kind of person I am, because of who you are. You are my confidence. You are my smile at the end of a long day. You are my courage to get back up and try again. You are the reason I wake up in the morning. And you are what I hope I never have to live without. If I had the chance to do my life over now, I would refuse it, because though it hasn’t been easy, it led me to you and our family.

As much as I would like to wrap you up in my love, the contents inside this box will have to do for now. Follow the instructions inside the velvet box. Then meet me on the Party Deck at 6.

Love,
Your Grateful Dinner Date

She set the card down and opened the large box, seeing a velvet one laid atop a piling of red tissue paper. Taking it and opening it, she found a gold bar-shaped necklace with what looked to be an etching on it. Looking in the box, she found two pieces of paper inside. One with instructions, and the other with a note from her husband on what to do next.

So, following the instructions, she pulled out her phone, and scanned the etching on the necklace, only to discover Spotify opening, and beginning to play songs from their relationship. Grinning, she looked at the note inside the box.

Play these songs while you get ready for our date, Valentine. And know that I can’t wait to see you.

Smiling, she moved the tissue paper to reveal a beautiful one shouldered black gown, matching shoes, and what seemed to be a diamond tennis bracelet. She was more than a bit worried about having dinner in something like this out on the party deck, but considering how much he’d thought everything else out for the day, she was fairly certain he’d had a plan in mind for this.

As she changed into the long dress, she listened to the music of their relationship play. From the song that he’d shown her on their first date, to the song they’d first kissed to, to the first song they’d ever danced to together, to the song he’d proposed to her with, it was all there. As she did her hair and makeup, She was fairly certain she knew what song the playlist would end with.

She took her time with her hair and makeup, trying to make it as good as she could manage. She would have to do a quick change before her gift to him later, then. But, she didn’t really mind. When her lashes were thick, cheeks rosy, and lips red as the roses he’d given her earlier in the day, she’d sprayed a setting spray on it to keep it that way. Then, she meticulously straightened and curled her hair to create the waves she’d wanted, before spraying on an inordinate amount hairspray to keep it that way.

She glanced at the clock on the counter. 5:45. Fifteen minutes to go. Just enough time to finish up.

She put on the necklace and tennis bracelet, and then went to move the box from the bed, tossing it out, and moving the notes she’d collected through the day into a special keepsake box she kept in her nightstand, promising herself to one day frame them. Grabbing the black strapped heels, she put them on, surprised when he buckle gave her no trouble. Standing up, she was even more surprised to find they were relatively comfortable. He must have had insoles put in to make them easier to walk in. 

Doing one last lap around the house, she cleaned up any leftover boxes or wrapping paper, checked to ensure everything was in it’s place. Just as she finished, she heard what she’d suspected the last song to be play. “From This Moment On” by Shania Twain blasted through her phone’s speakers, and she smiled. It was as she’d expected. He’d ended it on the song they’d first danced to at their wedding.

When the clock at last read 5:59, she smiled, and went to the elevator to at last see her Valentine.


Bruce Banner stood on the Party Deck of the Avengers Tower, anxiously awaiting the arrival of his bride. From the bit of information he’d managed to gather from Clint before heading up to the deck, everything had gone off without a hitch. Though Clint had only seen her reaction to the gun, Steve had texted him twice to say that she seemed to like the roses and that she’d enjoyed lunch. He was certain that this Valentine’s Day would be one she would always remember. How he would top this next year, he had no idea. But he was sure she would look back at this in a few years and never forget how cherished or loved she was to him.

Finally, he heard the elevator chime, and readied himself.

When the Elevator door chimed, Natasha looked out to the party deck to see her husband standing there, holding out a single rose to her, and looking debonair in a sport jacket, dress shirt, and black slacks. Smiling, she walked over to him, more than ready to be in his arms.

Bowing slightly, he offered her the rose. “My lady.”

Plucking the rose from his hand she grinned. “You are so corny.” She said, but kissed him.

“Ah, but that’s why you love me.” He said, with a triumphant grin.

“Well there are many reasons for that, not just that one.” She said, smiling.

“Really?”

“Oh yes.”

“Care to share?”

“You know, I would- but first I’d like to get out of the cold.” She said, shivering involuntarily.

“Ah, then right this way.” He said, leading her toward a white tent. Opening it for her, she looked to see a fully set dinner table, with fairy lights strung up above them. A white tablecloth and linen napkins were set elegantly on the table, and three roses were set in the middle of the table, with silver coverings over plates to keep the food from getting cold. A space heater sat in one corner, warming the entire tent.

“How did you do all this?” She asked.

“I had some help.” He smiled. 

“How much help did you have to pull off all this?” She asked, laughing.

“Well let’s see… Steve of course, knew about the roses, the ring, the lunch, and this. Clint knew about everything since he helped hide me and got you the last present. Thor helped by watching the baby so you could get ready, and so did Bucky. Tony and Vision helped me with setting up the tent since I was pretty worried the wind would knock it over. And Wanda and Pepper helped decorate with the lights.” He said, leading her to her seat and pulling out her chair.

“So basically everybody knew?” She questioned, sitting down.

“Pretty much, yeah.”

“I can’t believe no one slipped.” She said, half impressed and half shocked.

“Well… Let’s just say they knew what would happen if any of them ruined the surprise.” He chuckled, pushing in her chair and moving to uncork the bottle of red wine sitting on the table.

“Doctor Banner, are you telling me that you threatened our friends?” She asked, putting her hand to her chest in faux shock.

“What? Me? Never.” He said. “I am not that kind of man. Hulk, however, is. And they figured I’d be pissed if this got out. Not a bad assumption really.” He murmured, pouring wine into her glass and his own before taking a seat. “Hope you’re hungry.” He said, pulling off the silver lid from his plate.

Underneath was a plate of Filet mignon, fettuccine Alfredo, garlic bread, and a bit of a garden salad set on the side. Everything looked delicious.

“Did you make this?” She asked, suddenly aware of how long ago lunch had really been.

“Yeah. You’ll have to thank Wanda for letting me use her and Vision’s kitchen to pull this off. They went out for most of the day together so it was just me there.”

“I should just write a bunch of thank you cards at this point, shouldn’t I?” She smiled.

“Actually I have already so you don’t have to worry about it. Unless, of course, you want to sign them.”

She took a sip of red wine. “Sounds like a plan."

“Did you like everything?” He asked nervously, cutting into the filet mignon.

“Very much.” She smiled. “You went overboard with the gifts like I expected but they were gifts I would actually use, so I really loved it."

“Except of course for the flowers, lunch, and outfit.” He said, chuckling.

“I think the flowers look beautiful, the lunch was delicious, and the outfit obviously looks great so I can wear it on another occasion. All very useful.” She said, smiling and taking a bite of pasta.

“Wasn’t too cheesy for you then, with the notes?” He asked, eating a bite of the filet.

She looked at him. “They were my favorite part, actually.” She said, sincerely.

“Really?”

She nodded. “I’d like to get them framed, and hang them up in our room. They were corny sometimes, yes, but they were also honest and so beautiful. You made me feel so loved.”

“Then I definitely succeeded in my goal for the day.” He smiled. 

“You did.” She smiled, and raised her wine glass. “Happy Valentine’s Day, Honey.”

“Happy Valentine’s Day.” He replied, as they clinked their glasses together.

After a bit of eating, Bruce looked at her. “How was the baby today?”

“Oh, he’s pretty happy. I think he’s enjoying all the love and attention.” She smiled.

“I didn’t get to see him yet.”

“I’ve been waiting for you to be home so I could give him his present.”

“Do I get to know what it is?”

“No. Just like you don’t get to know about what your present is.”

“You are absolutely baiting me with this aren’t you?” He grinned.

“You mean the way you did with me all day?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Touché.” He conceded.

“I hope you’ll like it.”

“Knowing you, I can’t imagine anything else.”

The two of them sat, and enjoyed their meal, before sharing a kiss.

“I love you.” Natasha said to him, smiling.

“I love you too.” Bruce smiled.

“So, no dessert this evening?” She joked.

“Actually, now that you mention it…” He said, and pulled out a Hershey kiss from his outer coat pocket.

She found herself laughing. “It can’t be Valentine’s Day without chocolate, right?”

“Not quite. It can’t be Valentine’s Day without a kiss.” He said, unwrapping it and popping it into her mouth.

Smiling, She chewed it, and gave him a kiss.

“You ready to go see the baby?” She asked. 

“Always am.” He smiled.

“Should we clean up?” She asked, glancing down at the table.

“I’ll take care of it later.” He promised.

Looping an arm around his wife, the pair of them made a hurried exit for the elevator, breathing a sigh of relief when they were safely inside, and headed to the main floor.

When the elevator doors opened, the two of them were greeted with the sight of Steve attempting to chew on Thor’s hair, with the Asgardian God easily holding him at bay. Natasha gestured for her husband to wait, then went around the couch.

“Hi baby!” She cooed, and watched as Steve turned to her, squealing with happiness. “Are you trying to eat Uncle Thor’s hair, huh? That’s not going to taste very good.” She said, picking him up and giving him a kiss, before sitting him on the floor by her. Then, she gestured for her husband, in a routine they knew all too well.

“Hello.” Bruce said in a sing-song voice as Natasha gasped animatedly to Steve.

“Who is that?” She asked, smiling as she watched him begin to flap his arms and kick his legs in excitement. “Did you hear Dada?”

Going around the side of the couch so that Steve could see him, he squatted to the floor. “It’s my baby!” He said, grinning as he watched Steve squeal joyfully and speed crawl into his waiting arms. Scooping him up, he peppered his son’s face in kisses.

“Are you happy now that Daddy’s home?” She cooed, grinning happily.

“I’d say that’s a yes.” Bruce chuckled, as the two of them engaged in their daily ritual of touching noses together after adequate kisses had been given.

“He’s a Daddy’s boy through and through.” She said, sounding unperturbed by the sentiment.

“Only when I’m around. I’m like the shiny new toy that gets played with until something more interesting comes along. But you, my dear, are the security blanket. He always knows he’s safe with you, and that you’ll always be there for him. That’s kind of beautiful if you ask me.” He smiled. 

“Very smooth.” She said, kissing his cheek.

“You guys finish your date yet?” Asked Bucky.

“Actually I still have to give him his present.” She said.

“Really?” Bucky said, giving an impish grin.

“Really.” She said, with a straight face, and took Steve into her arms. “I still have to give the baby his present. I’ve been waiting for you to get home to give it to him.” She said to her husband. “Come with me.” She smiled, and grabbed a tissue paper stuffed red bag from underneath where his high chair stood.

“Very clever.” Bruce said appreciatively, watching as his wife sat down with the baby in her lap, putting the little bag in Steve’s lap.

“Happy Valentine’s day my little sweetheart.” She said, giving Steve a kiss as he started to try and play with the tissue paper. Bruce waited a minute, just to see if he would take it out himself. When he didn’t, he stepped in moving the tissue paper, and revealing a small bear holding a heart that said “I love you” on it.

Deliberately gasping dramatically, Bruce pulled the bear out of the bag. “Look what Mommy got you for Valentine’s day!” He gushed.

Steve gave a squeal of delight and took the bear in hand, giving it a tight squeeze to his chest.

“It doesn’t have any beads or anything in it right?” Bruce asked, hoping to avoid the future headache of what a hole in a toy with that kind of stuffing would cause.

“Nope, I checked.” She said, and Bruce gave a relieved sigh.

“Thank God."

They watched Steve play with the toy for a few minutes, and Natasha noted when he’d taken to sucking on the small heart. He was definitely hungry.

“I’m going to give him a quick feed before I get your present ready. You give him dinner after, and I’ll let you know when it’s ready, okay?” She said to her husband.

“Sure thing.” He said, smiling. 

Smiling, she took him into the kitchen, and put him to the breast, while Bruce went over to Bucky and Thor.

“You guys have any idea what she’s got planned?”

“Not a clue.” Bucky said.

“I’m afraid not.” Thor replied.

“I don’t know if I should be excited or nervous.”

“Excited. You should only get nervous if she pulls a knife or gun. Since it’s a gift for you I highly doubt she will.” Bucky said.

“Well that’s comforting.” Bruce said with a sarcastic smile.

“Well, look at it this way: I’ll watch the munchkin for a while so you guys can have some alone time.”

“A very generous offer.”

“Somebody has got to laugh with me at all the movies on tonight. And Since you, Tony, and Vision are off celebrating, Clint is on his floor right now, and Thor isn’t interested in watching, he’s it.”

“Well, I’ll take what I can get.” He said. “Thanks.”

“No problem.” Bucky said, patting his arm.

The three of them spoke, chatting about inconsequential things, until Natasha re-entered the room, Holding Steve.

“Hey honey.” She said, watching as he turned around. “Did you notice what he’s wearing?”

Taking a look, Bruce grinned. “Oh my God. You are too cute.” He said, reaching out for Steve. “Give me him.”

Smiling, Natasha handed their son to him.

“Are you a little love bug, huh?” He cooed.

Steve giggled and laid his head on Bruce’s shoulder.

“I’m going to go get ready, okay?” She said, giving him a kiss. “I’ll tell you when it’s time.”

“I’ll be anxiously waiting.” He smiled.

Grinning, she kissed their son on the cheek before heading for the elevator.


Natasha ascended to their floor, and found Pepper and Wanda there, already dressed and waiting.

“Oh good, you made it.” Pepper smiled.

“Sorry I’m late, I was nursing the baby.” She said. “Let me just change and I’ll be all set.” She said, heading to their bedroom. “Is everything set up? I didn’t see anything when I was out on the deck for dinner.” She called.

“The stage is on the opposite end from where they set up the tent.” Wanda called back.

“Is it going to be heated?” She asked. “This dress is not made for the cold.”

“Wanda’s got it covered!” Pepper called back.

“Okay good. Tony and Vision still in the dark?”

“No clue what we have planned.” Pepper assured her. “Tony was so busy giving me my valentine’s present he didn’t even think to ask.”

“Vision didn’t ask either. We went to the park and had a picnic. I told him I had something for him later, but I didn’t say anything else.” Wanda smiled.

“I think this may be the best kept secret in the history of the tower.” Natasha said, walking back out. She looked to Pepper with a grateful smile. “Thanks for putting all this together. It’s so much easier than trying to shop for any of them.”

“Well, I would have felt stupid doing this on my own. So thank you both for helping.” Pepper smiled. "It feels good getting to put on the show for once in my relationship."

The three of them stood up.

“Should we go get them?” Wanda asked.

“Oh, let Friday take care of it. We have to get their seats. The stage is set, but we have to get something for them to sit on.” Pepper said.

“I think I saw some folding chairs stacked up in the gym.” Natasha offered.

“Works for me.” Wanda shrugged.

“Let’s go.” Pepper said, as the three of them headed for the gym.


Bruce Banner had gotten about halfway done with feeding his son when he heard the chime of the elevator. Turning around, he’d expected his Wife. But instead, Tony and Vision stepped out.

“What are you two doing down here? I thought you’d be out tonight.” He said.

“Pepper and Wanda told us to be here for their gifts.” Vision offered. “We’re supposed to meet them on the Party Deck.”

“Nat said the same thing to me too.” Bruce said. “Think they’re planning something?” He said, giving Steve another bite.

“Well something smells fishy, and it isn’t the kid’s dinner.” Tony said, gesturing to the bright orange puree in Steve’s bowl.

“Thor and Bucky don’t know anything. I asked them. I don’t think we’re gonna get anything out of this one.” Bruce trailed off, gesturing to the baby.

“Well, wake up the rugrat then.” Tony said. “I want to know what I’m getting into.”

“Tony, if we don’t know anything I doubt he does.” Bruce said, rolling his eyes.

“You never know unless you try.” Tony smiled.

Bruce gave a deep sigh. “You’re not going to let this go, are you?”

“Not when I really want to know what they’ve been up to.”

“Alright. Just let me finish feeding him first.” He said, feeding Steve another spoonful.

“Take your time.” Tony said. “Anybody want anything from the fridge?"

“I’ll take a Guinness if you have it.” Bruce called.

“Got it!” Tony called.

Bruce had nearly finished when Tony slid an opened bottle of Guinness across the table.

“Thank you.” He said, taking a swig before he fed Steve his last bite. After wiping off Steve's mouth, he set the bowl aside and removed the highchair tray. Then, he looked to Steve, and spoke.

“Eskrine.”

Bruce watched as Steve blinked, eyes focusing, and making him alert.

“Hey Sugarplum.” He said, keeping his tone as calming as he could manage.

“Is something wrong?” Steve asked. He knew Daddy wouldn’t break him out of his state without reason.

“No, No muffin, everything is fine.” Bruce soothed quickly. "Tony and Vision were just wondering if you knew what Mama, Pepper, and Wanda were up to, and wanted me to ask.”

“All I know is if Wanda and Pepper’s outfits are like the one I saw in Mama’s closet you’re going to like it. She didn’t tell me anything except that they were doing something together for you because I saw the dress in her closet one day. That’s all.”

“Okay. Thanks, Peanut.” He said, giving Steve’s temple a quick kiss. “You can go back down if you want.” He promised.

“Actually, I kind of want to know what it is.” He admitted. “I only know the basics.”

“Want me to see if Mama will let you come?”

“Can you?”

“Mhm.” He said. However, before he could get out his phone, Friday came over the speakers.

“Doctor Banner, Mr. Stark, and Vision, please come to the Party Deck.” Came the announcement.

“I guess that’s our cue. Come on Precious. Let’s see what all the fuss is about.” Bruce said, helping Steve down from his highchair.

“Hey, who’s going to laugh at all the sappy movies with me if you take him out of here?” Bucky called.

“You’re just gonna have to learn to laugh with yourself.” Bruce called back, as He, Tony, Vision, and Steve piled into the elevator.


When the four of them went up to the deck, they were surprised to find a stage set up on the deck. Upon further inspection, they were surprised to find themselves warm, but a momentary glance around told them that Wanda had inexplicably worked her magic to keep the deck warm, judging by the glowing balls around the edges of the deck.

With warmth no longer being an issue, they looked at the stage. It was a fairly simple setup. Some spotlights up above, A platform to raise it,  Speakers on the sides, a curtain strung up behind it on a pole, and three microphones, equally spaced across the stage.

It took a moment for three of them to spy their partners, standing to the right of the stage. Upon sighting them, their Jaws dropped open.

Pepper sported a long, Gold colored, one shouldered toga dress that went to her ankles, Hair down from it’s usual tight bun. Wanda, standing beside her, wore a bright red dress that glittered all over, with one long sleeve and asymmetrical skirt, hair straight as an arrow as it reached the small of her back. Lastly, Natasha stood furthest to the right, with a burgundy halter dress that went just above her knee, and contoured to her curves, with a fine mesh overlaying some cutout work near the top of the dress, with the whole thing absolutely covered in sequins.

“Come and take your seats, boys.” Pepper said smiling.

Needing no other prompting than that, the three of them took their seats as Steve stood behind them, extremely curious as to what was going on.

As they did so, the three women went up onto the stage, with Wanda furthest to the left, Pepper in the center, and Natasha to the right, and spoke into the microphones.

“As the three of you know, we are not exactly performers.” Natasha began.

“However, because it is Valentine’s Day, we wanted to do something memorable for you.” Wanda continued.

“So, we decided to give you a performance you would never forget.” Pepper finished.

“For one night, and one night only.” Natasha reminded.

“So please sit back, and enjoy our gift to you.” Wanda said, smiling.

Extremely curious but more than a bit excited, the three of them watched their partners remove the wireless microphones from their stands.

“Friday, if you would.” Pepper said into the microphone.

Not one moment later, music began to fill the deck.

Bruce recognized the instrumental almost immediately. It was the beginning intro of “Super Trouper” by ABBA. As a child of the seventies and early eighties he was hard pressed to remember a time when their music hadn’t played on the radio or MTV. He stole a quick glance at Vision and Tony, who seemed to be smiling, and then watched his wife come off the stage to kiss his cheek before the song could really begin. 

Tony, Vision, Bruce, and Steve began to clap with the beat, as Pepper began to sing.

I was sick and tired of everything when I called you last night from Glasgow…"

Of all the things they might have anticipated this to be, a serenade was the last thing on their minds. However, the fact that it was so unexpected somehow made it that much better. After all the time they’d known the women in their lives they were still Able to surprise them.

For most of the first verse Wanda and Natasha had sung as backup for Pepper, but at the first chorus, they surprised their partners again. Not only by singing all together, but beginning to dance as well. Tony Stark grinned brightly, dancing in his seat, as Vision applauded happily beside him. Bruce in the meanwhile, laughed with joy, clapping his hands and blowing extravagant kisses to his bride, While Steve grinned and applauded from behind his father.

The four of them were so wrapped up in the performance, they did not realize that behind them, the elevator opened, revealing Thor, Clint, and Bucky. All of whom heard the music and had decided to investigate. When they arrived, it took them all of three seconds to realize what was happening, and then they grinned, joining Steve behind the set up chairs and clapping along to the music, as the first chorus ended, with the three of them changing positions so that Wanda stood at the center of the stage, beginning to sing the second verse.

Facing twenty thousand of your friends, how can anyone feel so lonely?

By that point, Their audience had doubled, and many of them were singing, clapping along, or dancing in place. There were smiles all around as the next chorus began, and Bruce had a good feeling about what would come next. If Pepper had taken the first verse, and Wanda the second, then his wife was likely going to bring it home. When the three of them changed positions again, so that his wife was center stage, his guess seemed to have been proven correct.

With a grin threatening to split his face, he watched, awed, as his wife walked off the stage, beginning to sing to him in what felt like such an intimate serenade that the rest of the world could have easily fallen away. Pepper and Wanda had moved off the stage, going toward their partners, but Bruce only had eyes for his wife. Natasha’s eyes were locked on his as she sang.

So I’ll be there when you arrive, the sight of you will prove to me I’m still alive…” She crooned, sitting in his lap as he wrapped his arms around her. He grinned as he looked at her, seeing the love in her eyes, and thinking of how lucky he was to have it. He gave her a gentle squeeze before she moved to kiss his cheek and leapt off of his lap, heading back onto the stage in her first position, as the final chorus echoed through the February evening. As the song wound to a finish, the three women smiled, letting the end of the song hang in the air.

‘Cause somewhere in the crowd there’s you.” They sang, smiling and pointing at their respective partners.

The applause that erupted afterward was loud enough in volume to make up for what it lacked in size, as Vision, Tony, and Bruce scampered onto the stage to lavish the women in their lives with praise, as the applause droned on.

“You were incredible.” Bruce said, pulling his wife in for a lengthy kiss.

“Mmmm, thank you.” Natasha smiled. “So you liked it?”

“I loved it. And that dress. Wow.” He said, appreciatively, running his hands down her sides.

“I thought you might like that. The baby did too.” She smiled.

“Definitely.” He said, giving her a kiss. “One of my favorite articles of clothing you have ever worn to date.”

“Really? Well, would you be disappointed if, after we put the baby to bed, I let you take this off?” She whispered into his ear.

He gave her a salacious grin. “I will be the furthest thing from disappointed, I promise you that.”

“Good.” She smiled, and stroked his cheek. “Happy Valentine’s Day, honey.”

“Happy Valentine’s Day, sweetheart.” He said happily, and gave her a loving kiss.

Notes:

(Obviously) I do not own Super Trouper by ABBA.

Series this work belongs to: