Actions

Work Header

The Sound of a Heartbeat

Summary:

It’s been 10 years since the monsters were free, but the day of their freedom the one who set them free disappeared.... On the day of the tenth anniversary Sans finally is successful in finding their savior.... But things aren’t what he thought. Frisk doesn’t seem to want anything to do with any of them and Sans’ own words come back to haunt him as the human they had all thought was their best friend is terrified of them.... Can Sans and the others repair the damage they have unknowingly done to a soul who not only showed them compassion, but did so at the cost of herself along with having the inability to even properly see them... Will things ever be the same or will the rift between the monsters and their Angel be broken forever?

Notes:

Inspired by this work by Jade-Alexandria: https://www.deviantart.com/jade-alexandria/art/AboveTale-Cover-766990772

This is a collaborative work with Shippo7842

Chapter 1: Ten Years

Chapter Text

The sound of rain was soothing. It was always a soothing sound really. 

 

10 years since the monsters were free. 

 

She sat alone for a moment on the bench to get her bearings, well, not completely alone. A white dog on a leash was with her. He sat there with her despite the rain. She would make sure to dry him off once they were home. For now, he was one of the reasons she got along in life... It was better than using the stick she’d carried around in the Underground anyway. Behind a pair of rosy sunglasses were pale blue eyes, stormy like the clouds above, but she wasn’t blind. At least, not completely. She could see, mostly... Mostly shapes and colors, but details were just out of her reach.

 

The anniversary was today. 

 

It was ten years ago that she’d stood on that mountain.

 

She wondered if Toriel had ever known, or had only seen a child the entire time.... She didn’t want to be a burden and had declined staying with the motherly monster. 

 

My own parents didn’t even want me... I shouldn’t burden others with my problems. She closed her eyes. In the darkness she could almost see the flickering candle on the table, the soft patter of rain nostalgic, as the soft light flickered over the features of her skeleton companion.

 

do you know what would have happened if she hadn’t said anything, buddy. 

 

you’d  be d e a d  w h e r e  y o u  s t a n d.   

 

A shudder of remembering the worlds and the lack of light in those sockets. She stood up abruptly. The dog wagged his tail.

 

“Let’s go home Toby.” She said softly.

“Forward.” She gave the command and the dog headed off with her following behind him down the hill of the park towards the cluster of apartments and businesses lining the streets. The central park, a few blocks away, was bustling with people while this side of town, only blocks away, was mostly barren of anyone. After all, the turn out was for the celebration, but she was going home. She had no plans to take part this year, nor had she any other year before.... 



~

 

The celebration didn’t start for another thirty minutes but already people were showing up to look around and greet friends and other things.

 

“Sans! You Lazybones! Come Help With... What Are We Doing Undyne?” 

 

“Handing out flyers punk!” Undyne remarked. As usual, Sans was just leaning up against a tree, dozing in the dim light as the clouds blocked out most of the sunlight. It wasn’t really raining in the part of town they were at and the park had put up plenty of small places where the citizens could duck into if it started to rain. It seemed the clouds were picky about where they dumped their water.

 

“You Always Do This! Come On And Give Us A Hand!” 

 

“sure pap.” He popped his hand off and tossed it over.

 

“NGGHH!! Not What I Meant!” 

 

“you said give you a hand.” 

 

“Put that back on punk!” 

 

“Excuse me.” The three turned to find that Toriel had come over to their little group.

 

“‘sup tori?” 

 

“Oh, well I was just coming to see how things were going over here.” 

 

“well i tried to give ‘em a hand but they won’t let me.” He waved the appendage that his brother had tossed back over to him. Toriel giggled.

 

“Well, as hand-y as you might be, perhaps you would be more suited for something else today. You as well Papyrus.” 

 

“Of Course Your Majesty! What Can We Do For You?” 

 

“Well, it’s just that I wish that perhaps you could go look in the crowd for me and find my child. It has been so many years now... and I wish to see them. I am certain they must be around here somewhere.” 

 

“Of Course! Come On Sa-” He glanced over but his brother was already gone.

“UGH! DON’T DO THAT! I Hate It When He Disappears When I’m Talking To Him.” With a sigh, he headed off into the crowd to see if he could find Frisk. He hadn’t seen her in ten years. He supposed everyone had been busy, getting settled and everything... but how did one just vanish like that? 




~

 

Frisk stopped in front of the bakery with Toby. The dog always loved to stop to sniff the smells that came from the cafe. She smiled a little. As she stood looking in the window and taking in the smells, she didn’t notice the figure weaving through the near crowd less street behind her. After all, she was too absorbed in the shop to realize that a familiar figure was right behind her. At least, until he spoke.

 

“hey kid, don't you know how to greet an old friend?” Frisk started at the voice, glanced in the reflection of the cafe before speaking.

 

“You don’t need to pretend here, Sans. We weren’t friends.”

 

“heh, that is a chilly reception there kiddo. any colder i be a frozen skeleton.” He said, still having his hand extended. She didn’t seem to notice.

 

“Well, you don’t need to worry about that on my account. C’mon Toby, it’s time we went on our way. We’ve been here long enough. Forward.” The dog started moving and she moved to follow. He moved to go ahead of her, he put his hands in his pockets before stopping again.

 

“the gang misses you.”

 

“Heel Toby.” She says before the dog bumps into him. The dog stops, looking up at the skeleton, ears twitching, listening for more commands.

 

“got the dog trained huh?”

 

“Why are you here? You got what you wanted.” 

 

“your mom wants to see you again.”

 

“I don’t have a mother.”

 

“geez kid, i know you have a bone to pick with me but can you say the same about paps and undyne?”

 

“I don’t know, what would you say to those who spent hours trying to trap and murder you as a child? If you’re quite done, I have things to do.” 

 

“well… this is going to hurt.” Sans picked up the dog and took Frisk’s arm before she could squeak a complaint and found herself in an unknown area.

 

“This is preposterous! Let go!” She jerked, trying to free herself from the skeleton and grab for Toby.

 

“hey guys, look who i found.” He was being a complete jerk, putting her in a very awkward position. Frisk ignored this because she was reaching for the dog.

 

“come on kid i will give the dog back once you say-“

 

“I am NOT A CHILD!” She suddenly yelled, very angrily.

“Stop treating me like I’m some kid or errant pet! I’m an adult for fuck’s sake!” 

 

“Language!” Papyrus yelled as he came over. Frisk ignored the comment as she was still trying to get her dog back.

 

“Oh my! Is that- Frisk my darling child.” This whole time Sans kept the dog just out of reach. It seemed odd that she couldn’t really see what he was doing. Frisk glared at him then glanced over at the gathering crowd.

 

“I don’t know who this skeleton thinks I am but I am just a woman trying to walk with her dog. This JERK took him and won’t give him back and I need him to get home!” Frisk said, turning the situation instead against the skeleton.

 

“Sans, give her back her dog!” Toriel yelled at Sans who glared at her before complying.

 

“eh, i thought dogs like bones.” Toby wagged his tail at Sans, seeming completely unaware of the tension between the two. Frisk set Toby down.

 

“Home, Toby.” The dog, tail wagging a little, seemed to almost be waving to the group as he started off with Frisk following after.

 

“But… Frisk You Just Got Here. We Haven’t Seen You In 10 Years.”

 

“I don’t know a Frisk.” Was the comment she tossed over her shoulder. 

 

“don’t worry about it bro. she is probably having a bad day.”

 

“Geez... what was all that racket about?” Undyne asked as she came over. She’d seemed to have gotten rid of all the flyers she had on hand.

 

“I think Sans ruined everything. Frisk is upset with us and it has to do with a dog!” Toriel said in a shrill voice.

 

“Huh? The punk was here?! With a dog?” Undyne seemed confused.

“Was it Lesser Dog?”  

 

“nah, though it takes orders like a guardsman.” geez i don’t know what in the world got up her butt but she is not the same kid that came down into the underground. 

 

“Huh... didn’t know dogs up here did that.” 

 

“who knows. i am going to check on something really quick.” He would be lying if he wasn’t a little upset about what all happened and just went around the corner to just shortcut up on top of the roof to not have to really deal with the situation any longer. 

 

“Ugh, And There He Goes. I Swear He Gets Lazier Every Year!”

 

“I don’t know what is going on and today we are supposed to celebrate all our freedom and thank our savior and we can’t do that if she isn’t here.” Toriel wasn’t sure what to do. 

 

“Maybe he just got the wrong person Toriel. I mean, a lot of humans look alike. Besides, I can’t imagine our punk bein’ like that! She was stronger than that! I wonder where she is though. Heh... Still, I’m sure wherever she is she is wishing she was here not missing out on this awesomeness! Come on! Let’s get this party going!” Undyne replied, trying to rile up her friends to be happy again.

 

“Yeah? I guess so… okay Undyne.” Toriel smiled weakly. 

 

“Undyne Is Right! Wherever The Human Is I’m Sure They’re Wishing They Were Here!” Papyrus caught on, even if might have been a little forced. They’d been doing this year after year... and not once had the human who had freed them ever appeared to celebrate.




~

 

Frisk huffed as the dog led her through the crowd towards home. What did he think he was doing? Did he seriously think anyone has just forgotten everything? Well... maybe Papyrus has, but I’m not an idiot. I’m not going to spend my life around those who killed me so many times for their own ends. They have the freedom they wanted. They don’t need me anymore.

 

She dug out her key when she reached the home and let herself in. She closed the door behind her with a soft sigh. Why did he butt in? She didn’t understand... What did he want with her now that they were all free? She knelt down and took off the dog’s leash, Toby licked her hand, wagging his tail and she gently scratched him under the chin before she stood up and put the leash away in its usual spot. She knew where everything was. It was a tidy little home, a small living room, a kitchenette and a hallway led off to a bathroom and a bedroom. It wasn’t much but it was home. She didn’t feel up to her usual things however and sat down on the couch. 

 

Why did that skeleton have to just show up and remind her of things she wanted to forget? She wrapped her arms around herself, she wouldn’t cry... she told herself so. Still, that didn’t stop the shivering... the memories of endless pain.... the declarations that she should just die...  She clutched her hands over her ears.

 

Stop it! Stop it! You’re free now! Stop demanding that I die! I don’t deserve this! I did nothing to deserve it! I was just a kid! She didn’t know how long the episode lasted, but once she was finally able to calm down she went to the fridge to fix herself a sandwich. She really didn’t feel up to it but she knew she needed to eat. The therapist that had helped her with her nightmares said that it was best to have a routine even when not feeling up to eating. The words rang through her mind, making her stiffen a little, even if it was just a memory...

 

you’d b e  d e a d  w h e r e  y o u  s t a n d...

 

Why can’t he just leave me alone?! She finished the meal, put the dish in the sink for later and went to bed. She wasn’t tired, but she didn’t think she’d get much rest anyway. There was no way after all that she’d be able to sleep without being thrust back into the nightmares...