Actions

Work Header

No Chill Whatsoever

Summary:

Tony and Gibbs have their hands full. On one hand, a surprise birthday party explicitly outs their relationship to their friends, to varying reactions, and with some consequences when Ducky digs his heels in, refusing to accept it and accusing Tony of crossing a line. On the other hand, Tony's ex, Zoe Keates, is several months pregnant, and having had an amicable split with Tony, is carrying the baby to term for Tony and Gibbs - and impending fatherhood has both men completely overjoyed, but also has them reacting fast and merciless to any threat to their family. Additionally, the MCRT are about to catch a new hot case; a gay couple have been murdered and their corpses desecrated, and when the bodies start adding up, there's more than one team who wants answers.

Notes:

This story is currently Unfinished. Yes that is a warning. No I cannot promise I will finish it. All I can say is that this story (all 70k words of it so far) means a Lot to me and I will do my best to complete it with time.

One last thing: this story is set in 2015 NCIS, and starts several months after Tony and Zoe break up. Alright, let's go!

Chapter 1: A Surprise

Chapter Text

 

 

Voicemail

"You have reached - Leroy Jethro Gibbs - please leave a message after the tone."

"Hi Leroy, it's your old man here. Just ringing to say happy birthday, son. You're usually pretty good about picking up, and I can't reach your boy either, so I hope everything's okay. Give me a call when you get this, will ya? I'll try again tomorrow if I don't hear from you. I love you, kid. Yeah, yeah, I know - you're a big boy now. All of sixty-one! Lord, some days I can scarcely believe it myself. Time really does fly by, son. Have a good birthday, Jethro. Don't you dare spend the whole day in the basement! Have some fun, for Christ's sake! And tell Tony I said hi! Love, Dad."

 

 

Tony

It's late when they stumble into the house and Tony kicks the front door shut behind them. Kissing Gibbs deeply, Tony crowds him up against the wall between the stairs and the living room, and Gibbs relaxes back against it, arms around Tony's shoulders, gripping his leather jacket as they rub their bodies together. Tony rolls his hips up and gets a moan for his effort, his cock hard in his jeans sliding roughly over the firm bulge in Gibbs's casual khakis.

Gibbs breaks their kiss for air, breathing raggedly, leaning his head back against the wall. Tony nibbles along his jaw, heading towards Gibbs's sensitive earlobe. "I smell like a jäger bomb," says Gibbs, a smile in his voice.

Tony laughs and licks a long line up Gibbs's bared throat. "You taste like a jäger bomb." Gibbs had spilt a glass of it all over himself earlier and Tony rather likes the distinctive sweet taste of Red Bull and the licorice-tasting undertone of jäger on Gibbs's skin. He sucks a hickey low on Gibbs's throat, beside his Adam's apple, Gibbs moaning some more and rocking his hips. They might have to buy a bottle of Jägermeister to get kinky with. But next time. Right now Tony's dick is hard again, his balls heavy, and Gibbs will still be stretched and loose from earlier, his asshole already wet with lube and Tony's cum, and Tony can't stop thinking about just sliding right on inside again.

Tony steps back a little unsteadily, but his voice comes out strong. "Turn around, marine."

"Fuck," mutters Gibbs huskily, already turning, and he braces his forearms against the wall, forehead pressed to the wall too, and spreads his legs like Tony's gonna frisk him.

"Yeah, I'm gonna fuck you alright," says Tony with a grin, running his hands down Gibbs's arched spine covered in red flannel shirt and teasingly gripping the tight ass in well-fitting khakis, and he reaches around, unbuttons and unzips Gibbs's trousers, shoving them and white briefs down, and then Tony shoves his own jeans and briefs down, his cock falling out eager and heavy under his t-shirt, leaking strings of precum and making a mess everywhere.

He shuffles in close, shoves Gibbs's shirts up, splays his hand on the hot skin of Gibbs's lower back, and God, does Tony want that hot flesh around him, want to bury himself inside of Gibbs, body and soul, have Gibbs come undone with pleasure on his cock and beg him for more, again and again.

Tony guides his dick to Gibbs's cleft, rubs his cockhead between the cheeks, pushing them apart, and Tony licks his lips, nudging his tip against Gibbs's pretty hole, moaning in desire when it flexes open and glistens with a little bit of escaping pearly white cum - oh fuck that's so hot - and Gibbs lets out low needy moan too, smacking an impatient palm against the wall-

A shrill whistle pierces the air and drills into his eardrums and Tony claps his hands over his ears. Gibbs claps his own hands over his own ears as well and then whirls around, and Tony gets an elbow to the face and jerks back, tripping over his jeans around his ankles and going down like a sack of potatoes.

"The hell!" shouts Gibbs.

"Ow," groans Tony. He landed on his ass. Hard. He's pretty sure it's gonna bruise. And his cheekbone smarts a little from Gibbs's pointy elbow. And on top of that, he knocked the back of his head on the floor.

Tony tilts his head back on the carpet and looks up into the living room. Then wishes he hadn't. Really wishes he hadn't.

Tony swallows hard. He is way too drunk for this.

"Shit," says Gibbs. Tony can hear the blood drain from Gibbs's face in that one word.

Director Vance lowers his fingers from his mouth and says in a pained tone, "I think you'll agree with me when I say I don't want to see you guys continue that course of action."

From on his back on the floor, Tony nods numbly at the upside down Vance. That's fair. He really doesn't want Vance to see them fuck either. Or have anyone else see them fuck. The usual crowd are all there: Tim and Ellie, Abby, Ducky, and Jimmy. All of them in varying states of surprise, eyes wide, jaws dropped. But Delilah is also sitting there in her wheelchair beside Tim in the armchair, though at least she looks more amused than McGonna-Catch-Flies. Breena and Jimmy are on the couch, her eyes fixed on the ceiling, Jimmy's eyes screwed tightly shut - that's polite of them, thinks Tony - and Ducky looks shell-shocked. Tony can relate.

Tobias Fornell is leaning against the mantelpiece looking like he's trying to hold back laughter, the bastard. Vance is standing beside Fornell, a glass of cola in hand. There's a lot of nibbles, snack food, and drinks, and a big chocolate cake, all on the coffee table, and hanging at the top of the closed curtains behind the couch is a big, colourful, glittery banner - Abby's work, Tony recognises - HAPPY BIRTHDAY GIBBS!!!

Tony would like the floor to swallow him whole now. He also feels sick in the stomach and kind of headachey from the visual confusion of everyone being upside down.

"Gibbs. DiNozzo," says Vance, looking like he's swallowed one of his toothpicks. "I get this is a bigger surprise of a surprise birthday party than we had intended, but I would really appreciate it if you both snapped out of it and fixed your clothing."

Right. His junk is hanging out, flashing everyone. Fantastic. Tony grunts and scrambles to his feet, swallowing down his sudden wooziness and pulling his briefs and jeans up, doing them up, and he holds back a groan as he realizes that he just showed everyone his ass again. At least his dick's gone down to half-mast instead of a full salute.

Tony scrubs his hands over his face, and when he can bear to lower them, Gibbs's clothing has been righted too. Red plaid flannel open over his t-shirt, but Gibbs looks casual, not freshly ravished, apart from his kiss-bruised lips and a hickey or two on his throat. So, kinda freshly ravished. Tony glances to Gibbs's crotch, and he almost can't look away - Gibbs is still hard, a thick ridge dressed to the left in his khakis. So, alright, Gibbs looks completely fucking ravished.

Tony jerks his gaze up to Gibbs's blue eyes and they exchange a look of mutual undiluted humiliation before Tony turns around to face the room. He feels more than sees Gibbs come up to his shoulder, half behind him, trying to hide the erection that hasn't gotten the message yet - too drunk or too panicked or too horny.

Gibbs doesn't say anything. Of course not, thinks Tony, wincing, for once in total agreement with Gibbs about not talking, and he waits for someone else to say something. Maybe start with why on Earth no-one told Tony there was going to be a birthday party for Gibbs.

No one says anything.

"Hi," says Tony weakly to the room at large, unable to stay quiet, the urge to fill up the awkward silence getting to him. His face heats up.

"Hi DiNotso," says Fornell, smirking a bit, and Tony actually goes weak at the knees, so thankful that someone is treating him normally. Or maybe he's more drunk than he thought. The floor is a little wobbly.

"Hey Jethro." Fornell nods his head at Gibbs.

"Hey Tobias," says Gibbs, and rubs the back of his neck.

"How drunk are you that you missed all the cars?" asks Fornell, his eyes laughing. "I hope you caught a cab here."

Gibbs snorts. "Yeah. And pretty drunk. Plus had Tony's tongue stuck down my throat, so." Gibbs shrugs and gives a small grin.

Tony clears his throat and eyes the floor. "Sorry everyone had to see that, I didn't know we'd be having company."

"We've been call-" But Fornell is cut off.

"Sorry," says Ducky incredulously. "'Sorry' does not cut it, Anthony," he snaps.

Tony's taken-aback. "Uh..." He glances at Gibbs. Gibbs's brow is furrowed, and he looks as confused as Tony feels. Yeah, it's embarrassing, and this isn't how they wanted to tell people and come the rest of the way out of the closet, but it's not like they'd almost fucked in front of everyone on purpose.

But Ducky is already continuing, on a steam-roller, looking more angry than Tony's ever seen him. "Jethro is straight, Anthony, and he's drunk, even admitted to being so, and here you are repaying his friendship by taking advantage of him!"

Tony's jaw drops. "Wh-what?"

"Duck," starts Gibbs.

But Ducky steamrollers over Gibbs too. "He's drunk, he's incapable of giving consent, not that he would have given it had he been sober considering that, oh yes, he's straight! It would have been rape! And as horrible as that alone would be, you had the callousness to not give him the slightest bit of preparation for it. You would have left him torn and bleeding and likely in need of medical attention, Special Agent DiNozzo!" Ducky glares furiously at Tony as he stands up from the couch, fists clenched, practically vibrating with rage.

The silence in the room rings with Ducky's words.

Tony stares at him in shock, suddenly cold and horrified. He'd never. They're drunk, but Gibbs could stop Tony if he wanted to. He'd only need to say a single word. "I- I- That- He- I wouldn't-"

Gibbs cuts him off. "Christ, Duck, you're doing a great job of being wrong at the top of your lungs." He sounds annoyed. Drunk, but not traumatised. Not raped. Tony closes his eyes and focuses on breathing, just for a moment. He's going to be sick. Jesus, how could Ducky think-

"Jethro, I know Anthony is a friend, but this cannot be swept under the-"

"Enough, for fuck's sake, Duck," growls Gibbs. Tony open his eyes as a hand lands on his shoulder, and Gibbs comes around in front of him, filling up his view, gripping his biceps.

"I'd never, Boss, I swear. I wouldn't, if you said stop, I'd stop," babbles Tony, until Gibbs's large warm hands cup his cheeks and Gibbs shushes him gently.

"Hush, Tony, I know. You haven't done anything wrong, and you weren't going to. I was willing and wanting, I always am for you, okay, baby?" Gibbs's blue eyes are serious and steady.

Tony breathes out and nods, calming down with Gibbs's conviction. He can't even bring himself to be mad that Gibbs called him baby in public, he needs the reassurance that badly. Gibbs's thumb rubs over his cheek soothingly. Tony presses a quick shy kiss to his hand and gets a pleased little grin back.

"Jethro, you're intoxicated, you can't-" Ducky.

Gibbs turns around to face Ducky. "I said enough, Duck. I get you're trying to look out for me, but I don't need or want it. I was consenting. You don't get to tell me what I can and can't do." Gibbs sounds irritated, and Tony sidles to the side to peek over his shoulder and risk seeing Ducky's reaction.

Ducky's mouth is a hard line. "In all the years I have known you, Jethro, not once have you ever shown the slightest inclination to homosexuality, and now-"

Tony can't help himself, he huffs a laugh and interrupts, "Sorry, Ducky, but your observation skills aren't the be all, end all. It's like that philosophy question: if a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound if no-one's there to hear it? Of course it does! Just because you don't see or hear something, doesn't mean it doesn't exist! You're not exactly gonna see it when Gibbs isn't attracted to you. And seriously, 'homosexual inclinations'? It's not the sixties anymore!"

Ducky draws himself up and growls, "Anthony, apart from Jethro's sexuality, which is straight however much you might like to deny it, you can't deny that Jethro is intoxicated, and you cannot deny that you were planning on penetrating him without any lubricant or preparation, which-"

"ENOUGH!" roars Gibbs.

Tony's eyes go wide and he belatedly covers his ears, but at least finally, Ducky looks somewhat cowed.

Gibbs scrubs a hand over his flushed face and swears under his breath before looking at Ducky again.

"Our sex life is none of your business," says Gibbs firmly. "Tony has my blanket permission to fuck me and would stop if I ever said stop. That's all you need to know. You're currently an uninvited guest in our home, and if you continue to accuse my partner of a crime he hasn't committed and would never commit, you will no longer be welcome, Dr. Mallard." Gibbs's voice is cold and hard and unyielding, like gunmetal.

Ducky makes a loud scoffing noise, but he doesn't argue further.

Tony tentatively lowers his hands from his ears but he feels a bit like he's watching a wild, wild west gunslinger fight, wondering if Ducky's faking his surrender and is going to straight up shoot him when the lead cowboy - Gibbs, obviously, in this scenario, because cowboys were gay, so obviously he and Gibbs are cowboy rebels and Ducky's the pushy sheriff - no, the pushy town doctor, Vance would be the sheriff - and Tony is so, so drunk because he has no idea where this train of thought was going. He looks to Gibbs.

Gibbs is glaring resentfully at Ducky - somebody's mad he's not getting dicked down, thinks Tony, a small grin tugging at his mouth - and then Gibbs tells everyone, "We're gonna go get cleaned up. Not gonna kick anyone out for cock-blocking us, but you lot better have some orange juice and pizza waiting for us by the time we're showered and dressed and back down here."

"You're already dressed," points out Fornell with a small smirk.

"And we stink of jäger bombs because I spilled my drink earlier," counters Gibbs with a pointed stare. "Come on, Tony." Gibbs snags Tony's fingers with his own, leading Tony out of the living room and up the stairs.

 

 

By the time Gibbs closes the bedroom door quietly behind them, Tony is trembling. Gibbs is there instantly, pulling him into a hug, holding him tightly, and Tony buries his face in Gibbs's neck for a long moment. Breathing in that familiar Old Spice aftershave and au naturel Leroy Jethro Gibbs scent under the alcohol.

"You okay, buddy?" asks Gibbs, a little muffled as he buries his own face in Tony's neck, breathing in deeply too.

"A little shaken up," says Tony quietly. "Didn't expect such an aggressive reaction, even to being caught with our pants down. What about you?"

"The same," says Gibbs, just as quietly. "Think Leon's whistle catapulted me straight outta being drunk and into mid-hangover."

Tony chuckles and lifts his head to rub his cheek against Gibbs's soft silver hair, as Gibbs's hand rubs up and down his spine. Slowly the tension falls from Tony's shoulders.

"Love you, Gibbs," whispers Tony, and hugs Gibbs tighter to him, clinging just a bit. He wishes they hadn't remembered the scheduled grocery delivery that's here tomorrow morning, wishes they'd stayed the night at his apartment.

Gibbs hugs him back just as tightly, presses a kiss to his hair. "Love you too, Tony." Quiet but certain. The same way Gibbs always says it.

Tony's more relieved than usual to hear it. "God, what a mess." He blows out a long breath. "How could he think-" Tony can't finish.

Gibbs pulls back just enough so they can look at each other. "Thought I was showing my enthusiasm pretty well, but I guess Ducky didn't see it."

"I guess it was a big shock for him," ventures Tony, thinking of the various expressions of shock and anger that Ducky had displayed, that one look...

"That's no excuse for jumping straight to accusing you of taking advantage of me," grumbles Gibbs. "We could have run out of lube again. Or maybe I like rough sex. Hang on, I do like rough sex." Gibbs furrows his brow, looking confused.

"You're so drunk, babe," says Tony, snickering, even as heat spikes in his groin and now all he wants is to hold Gibbs down and push inside him again, fuck him hard and rough and without holding back, and Tony feels hazy and shivery all over with lust because he thinks Gibbs would let him, right here and now on the bedroom floor and damn everyone waiting on them downstairs.

"I'm  so drunk, babe," agrees Gibbs, chuckling, bringing Tony's desire-heavy mind back to their conversation. Then Gibbs cups Tony's face with both hands, peering at Tony with wide, worried, ridiculously blue eyes. "You alright, Tony? Physically, I mean. I knocked you on your ass. Felt my elbow connect with something."

Tony smiles broadly, pleased to know Gibbs cares, and he taps Gibbs's hand over his cheek where Gibbs's elbow had hit him. It feels tender but doesn't really hurt. "I'm alright, but I'm hoping my tailbone won't be bruised tomorrow."

Gibbs frowns and presses a gentle kiss to Tony's cheek. "Still. I'm sorry, Tony."

Tony grins cheekily. "You gonna kiss my tailbone better too?"

Gibbs smirks. "If you're a good boy for me, I might do that after everyone else has gone home. Might kiss your sweet little hole too."

Tony flushes hotly, and plans change, maybe he'll get fucked tonight too, and his  grin gets bigger, but Tony guesses it must not be as big a grin as usual because Gibbs cups his face again.

"Tony, baby, it's not your fault Ducky's mad. Once he's calmed down he'll realize we wouldn't have wanted for him to find out like this. And we were planning on telling people about us soon anyway." Gibbs gives him a small, real smile, locking their gazes, and his blue eyes are bright with happiness and excitement. "You know we had a time limit on telling them, what with everything."

Tony has to smile at that. Yeah, what with everything. Apart from getting caught with their pants down and Ducky being angry, everything is good.

Everything is good. They'll handle any challenges or problems together.

Tony leans forward and kisses Gibbs softly. "Come on, we'd better shower and wash the jäger bomb off."

Gibbs snorts. "Better wash the sex off too. Was a bit worried someone would get too close and get a whiff of your cum leaking outta me."

Tony snickers as they head to the bathroom.

They wash up quickly and thoroughly in a warm shower and then rub down with towels. The shower also helps sober them up a little more, although they really need some food in their stomachs for that, but Tony feels better afterwards all the same.

Tony pulls on fresh jeans, dark in colour, and a plain black t-shirt from his side of the drawer, some socks from the top little drawer. Gibbs dresses in a good pair of jeans and a long sleeved white cotton shirt, then fills his pockets with his personal affects.

Tony opens the drawer which keeps their hoodies and sweatshirts, and pauses. He pulls out the topmost sweatshirt and just stands there, holding it carefully. He gently rubs the faded lettering with his thumb. PAPA.

Gibbs presses up behind him, wrapping strong arms around Tony's chest and waist, and Tony likes the heat seeping from Gibbs's chest into his back as Gibbs holds him quietly.

"I was just thinking that in another couple of years you'll have a new one of these, and I'll have a matching one too," murmurs Tony softly, awed at the future he can see sprawling out in front of them.

Gibbs presses a kiss to Tony's neck. "Do you want to be called papa or daddy, Tony?"

Tony beams. "Daddy, I think. It's the classic." He peers back over his shoulder at Gibbs. "You?"

Gibbs sighs and rests his chin on Tony's shoulder, looking down at his old sweatshirt. "Kelly called me daddy. Painting papa on the jumper was Shannon teasing me. But Kelly would call for her daddy and I'd come running. Think I'd like to bring back that part of me. I want our baby to call me daddy as well."

Tony swallows hard and nods understandingly. "You don't think that will be confusing, do you? Two fathers called daddy? I could go by papa or dada, I don't mind that much, Gibbs."

Tony can feel Gibbs's mouth curling into a smile against his neck. "No, it'll be just fine," murmurs Gibbs. "Our baby will have two daddies, and we'll figure out who they mean. You're gonna wear the title well, Tony, and you'll find it becomes a name with time."

Tony nods, liking the sound of that, and Gibbs hugs Tony tighter for a moment, presses one last kiss to Tony's nape, then lets him go and grabs his red USMC hoodie.

"Now hurry up," says Gibbs with a grin, "People will think we're fucking in the shower if we take any longer."

Tony chuckles, tucks away the PAPA sweatshirt, grabs Gibbs's old grey NIS sweatshirt and closes the drawers. He slips his wallet into his pocket, glancing irritatedly at his and Gibbs's phones, plugged in and charging by the bed. They forgot to charge them last night and now the batteries are totally depleted, which is probably why neither of them got calls asking them to show up. Then Tony follows his partner down the stairs, pulling on the sweatshirt.

 

 

Walking into the living room, the first thing Tony notices is that Ducky is gone, Abby too. Vance has taken Ducky's seat on the couch beside Jimmy, and Fornell must've had enough of standing as well and dragged in a kitchen chair so he can sit down without being squished on the couch like Abby was.

Tony bites his lip as he stands awkwardly beside Gibbs. Ducky being gone isn't good, but Tony's relieved about it anyway. He wasn't looking forward to another argument. But he can't believe Abby left without saying goodbye to at least Gibbs. He'd understand if it was just him, he and Abby aren't that close.

Gibbs sighs. "Ducky and Abby?"

"Ducky left," says Vance with a slight frown and a shrug. "Ms. Sciuto offered to drive him home so he wouldn't have to catch a taxi. He had carpooled with her on the way here."

"Alright, I'll talk to Duck at work on Monday. Sort things out with him." Gibbs rubs his forehead.

"I tried telling Ducky that you two were already together," says Fornell, frowning a bit too. "To try and set his mind at ease about you guys having drunk sex, but I think he'd stopped listening. He was pissed." Fornell spreads his hands, and Vance nods too.

"But!" pipes up Jimmy, holding up a finger. "I don't think Abby was angry, just concerned about getting Ducky home alright. She left Gibbs's birthday present on the table, said to make sure he got it." He points to a purple box with silver ribbons beside a few other boxes and gift bags.

Breena nods in agreement. "I think Abby was a little upset about not knowing about you guys, but I don't think she's mad. She didn't argue with Ducky, but she had a look on her face like she disagreed with him. And from what I saw before looking away, it was pretty obvious that Gibbs was into it," she adds with an amused grin

Tony nods. That's better, not great, but at least it sounds like Abby's not mad too. However, there are still a lot of people in the room staring at him and Gibbs.

"So, uh..." says Tim, wide eyes looking between Tony and Gibbs.

"We're together," says Gibbs simply.

"We were going to tell you," adds Tony hastily, wanting to stop any more arguments before they can start. "We didn't want you to find out like this, we hadn't set a date or anything, but we were planning to tell everyone soon." He looks at Tim and Ellie anxiously. Tony's not so worried about Delilah being upset, and the others had already known.

"Okay," says Tim slowly, brow furrowing. "So Fornell said you were already together? It's not some kind of 'we had too much to drink' birthday thing?"

Tony's eyebrows shoot up and he smirks. "What kind of birthday shenanigans do you get up to, McHolding-Back-On-Me?"

Tim flushes and protests, "I don't- I wasn't-"

Gibbs laughs. "You know he's only teasing you, Tim." There are looks of surprise around the room, Gibbs doesn't laugh much.

"Don't tell me it's some kind of deep dark secret that you've been hiding for years?" says Ellie, looking amused.

Tony winces, and he and Gibbs exchange a sheepish glance. "Well, not this time around?" says Tony with a cheerful grin.

"What? I was joking!" Ellie's eyes go wide.

Gibbs rubs the back of his neck. "We've been friends for a decade and a half, but we've had some romance on and off," admits Gibbs with a small grin. "Been together the last four and a half months, been together for longer in the past, and we're staying together, going forward. Committed."

It's not like they weren't serious the previous times, but Tony doesn't know if he could explain it any better. The first time they split was entirely accidental when Gibbs had gotten blown up and lost his memory, but they've been through a couple rounds of their insecurities getting in the way.

"I would not have picked that," muses Ellie. "Though I did think you guys were surprisingly close for being so different, once I got to know you."

Tim has a thoughtful look on his face. "I actually think I would have picked it, if I'd known it was an option. Gibbs and Tony are possessive of each other in a way that I've always found hard to classify, and they really are more alike than they seem. Having a romantic element to the relationship actually makes a lot of things make more sense in hindsight."

"I wouldn't have picked Jethro for liking it up the ass. And rough at that," says Fornell dryly.

"Jesus Christ," groans Gibbs and buries his face in his hands.

"We've already had sex today," blurts out Tony. "If I was going to fuck him raw or rough I'd have given him a rim-job first. Or at least used spit."

"Tony!" yelps Gibbs, mortified eyes peeking out behind his fingers.

"Yes, I know, talking about sex is embarrassing, I'm feeling rather humiliated myself, thanks honey," snaps Tony, his face burning, his hands on his waist. He looks to Fornell, because Fornell's the one voicing concern. "We'd already had sex back at my apartment, alright? Right before we came over here. So Gibbs was already, uh, good to go. If Vance hadn't interrupted us, Gibbs would have been fine, would have enjoyed it, and would probably be a whole lot less grumpy than he is right now. No one needs to be worried that I would have hurt him, okay?"

Fornell looks both mollified and amused, and Tony breathes in and out, trying not to spontaneously combust from embarrassment.

Gibbs lowers his hands from his face and his cheeks look as red as Tony's feel. Then Gibbs gives everyone a glare and says roughly, "Tony's telling the truth, I was good for having him on my six in the literal meaning."

Gibbs looks like he'd rather drive all the way to the grand canyon than be part of this conversation, and Tony bites down on a grin. Gibbs talks plenty during sex, but get him to talk about sex outside of actually having it? Like getting blood from a stone. Gibbs gets embarrassed buying lube from the smirking college kids at the corner shop, for Christ's sake.

"Huh," says Fornell, his mouth twitching in amusement. "I just thought the shower was an excuse to keep on fucking out of sight, not because you already needed to clean up."

"I'm not having sex when I know you lot are in the house." Tony scrunches his nose up at the thought. "And now that we've got that all sorted, can we puh-lease never talk about this ever again? You said," he adds plaintively.

"Sure," says Fornell, laughing at him and obviously lying through his teeth. "Jeez, you know, I'd actually thought Jethro was the top."

Tony narrows his eyes at him and opens his mouth to bitch about stereotypes-

"Oh shut up, Tobias, Diane threw it in my face that you trusted her to peg you but I didn't." Gibbs smirks.

Tony's jaw drops and his eyes go wide and he stares at Fornell in horrified fascination, as Fornell makes a strangled noise in his throat and his face turns tomato red. On the couch, Vance bursts into laughter. And no, Tony really doesn't have to think that hard to imagine Diane riding Fornell's ass, and then Tony claps his hands over his eyes, scarred for life and joining Vance in laughing maniacally. This is as fantastic as when he found Kate's wet t-shirt competition photo!

There's a knock at the door, and Tony freezes, mid-laugh, and for a moment everyone is united in their suspicion, exchanging confused glances and looking warily towards the door. Who the hell knocks on Gibbs's unlocked door?

"Oh!" says Tony, lowering his hands and sniffing the air, smiling happily. "I smell pizza! You actually ordered some for us!"

"Wow, he's like an actual hunting hound," says Fornell with amusement, recovering from his embarrassment. "Does he prefer doggy style to missionary?" He cracks up laughing at his own joke.

"I will shoot you in the ass again, Tobias," growls Gibbs.

Tony shakes his head, grinning as he goes to collect their dinner. The rest of the night is looking up, much to his relief.

 

 

Tony hands out the pizza boxes, checking who's having what, as Tim gets up and lets Gibbs have the armchair, and by the time everyone's got a pizza with their preferred topping, Tim is sitting in another kitchen chair beside Delilah, and he's brought one back for Tony too. Gibbs actually does have a glass of orange juice - chilled from the fridge - and Tony pours himself a glass of raspberry soft drink then settles on his chair with his pepperoni and sausage with extra cheese pizza.

There's a lot of razzing from Tim, teasing Tony for being a cliché and sleeping with the boss, but also a surprising amount of support from him too, which settles the worst of the worry inside of Tony. Ellie takes the whole thing in stride, as Gibbs and Tony had both suspected and hoped she would. Delilah offers to switch places with Tony, so that he and Gibbs can sit together, and Tony takes her up on it with a grin.

Vance abruptly remembers to wish Gibbs a happy birthday as they're all in the middle of their dinner, setting off a whole chorus of people telling Gibbs happy birthday. It's not quite a birthday song, but Tony suspects that he wouldn't be able to talk everyone else into singing the song without Abby's help. Still, Gibbs is smiling and that's good enough for Tony. He borrows Tim's phone, gets Gibbs's attention and snaps a rare photo of a smiling Leroy Jethro Gibbs, texting it to himself before giving Tim his phone back. Well worth the teasing from Fornell.

After pizza, Jimmy cuts and dishes up the cake, proudly announcing that Breena had baked it, and he hands out plates to be passed around.

The chocolate brownie cake is to die for, soft and fluffy with lumps of chocolate, with thick gooey caramel in the middle, and Tony smirks as the room sounds like an orgy. "Any chance I could convince you to bake this cake again for the wedding, Breena?" asks Tony casually.

Everyone quietens down, staring bug-eyed at Tony.

Breena raises an eyebrow at him, a smile blooming on her face. "Of course, Tony, I'd be happy to, but first you'll have to tell me who's getting married?"

Tony grins teasingly. "I'll tell you later then."

"Oh my God, Tony, are you and Gibbs engaged?" bursts out Ellie, wide-eyed.

Tony shrugs and shovels another forkful of cake into his mouth and he smiles closed-mouthed with his cheeks full. They have talked about marriage but they're not engaged yet.

"Boss?" asks Tim, eyebrows raised, looking excited.

Gibbs shrugs. "I haven't asked and with three divorces under my belt, I'm not going to. If Tony really wants to marry me then he can damn well prove it by getting down on one knee and asking nicely."

Everyone's eyes ping pong back to Tony.

Tony chuckles. "But how do I know you'll say yes?" And follow through to meet me at the altar, finishes Tony in his mind, because he'll never quite be over Wendy breaking up with him the night before the wedding.

"How do I know you won't divorce me?" counters Gibbs, and fair enough, reckons Tony, they've both had people give up on them. But surely Tony's proven his staying power with fifteen years of falling back to Gibbs every time he's been pushed away?

But Gibbs is staring at him, his face a demand for answers.

Tony smiles wryly. "I can't stay married to you if you say no in the first place, Gibbs. Guess you're safe from the non-existent possibility of  divorce. Good luck trying to scare me out of your life though," adds Tony cheerfully. "It's been fifteen years, you really need to up your game." Friends or lovers, either way, Gibbs is stuck with him as far as Tony's concerned.

Gibbs gives him a grumpy look, because he hates to lose arguments. Tony smirks back at him. Checkmate, babe.

"Fine," says Gibbs with a hard stare at Tony. "If you ask, I'll say yes."

"How romantic," Tony deadpans, but the reassurance is honestly nice.

Vance chuckles. Tony gives him a wink, feeling generous, even to the Toothpick.

"Well?" demands Gibbs.

"Well, what?" says Tony with faux innocence.

Gibbs opens his mouth. Closes it as he realises that asking might constitute asking. Gibbs scowls. But there's a hint of nervousness in his blue eyes.

Tony laughs at him. It's a little high-pitched but no-one calls him on it. "Alright, alright. Alright, Gibbs. Give me a minute." Tony sets his plate down on the coffee table and quickly strides out of the room, hoping no-one had seen his fingers trembling.

Up the stairs, down the hall, into the bedroom, and then Tony pulls open the little sock drawer and pulls a little black velvet box out from behind all the socks. Checks that the ring is still inside. It is. Closes the box.

Tony swallows hard, because he really hadn't planned on doing this tonight, on doing it in front of their friends, on doing it now, but he just can't resist. He wants the future to start now, it looks so good and feels so close. Leroy Jethro Gibbs for a husband, house hunting for a new home together, and then welcoming their baby into the world. Tony breathes out slowly and smiles to himself. He wants the rest of his life with Gibbs to start right now. He heads back downstairs.

This time when Tony comes into the living room, a bunch of whispers fade to silence and he's greeted with beaming, excited faces.

Everyone except for Gibbs, who is staring warily at him.

Tony hesitates, seeing that caution. "I don't have to ask now, Gibbs," he offers quietly, taking a few steps more into the living room. "I can save it for when we're alone." He and Gibbs are agreed that they want to be married before Zoe gives birth to their baby, wanting to be an official, legal family, and have that security in place both for themselves and their child, but they've got roughly half of Zoe's pregnancy left to get everything done.

Gibbs blows out a breath. And stands up and faces him straight on. Settles into that perfect straight-backed Marine posture, even in his red hoodie. "You can ask me anything you want, Tony," says Gibbs softly. "Anything, anytime."

Tony nods. "Right," he says faintly as he moves closer, until there's maybe a meter between them. His heart's pounding in his chest. Don't faint, DiNozzo, he tells himself. Fornell muffles a laugh behind his hand. Tony flushes, realizing he'd said it aloud.

Gibbs gives him a small sweet smile.

Tony grins back at him. "Freeze, dirtbag," says Tony clearly, harking back to the first words he ever said - yelled - to Gibbs. The living room is quiet. Out of the corner of his eye, Tony sees people looking at each other in confusion. Then Gibbs laughs, grinning delightedly when he meets Tony's gaze again. And Tony can see the instant Gibbs figures out the response Tony wants.

Gibbs's grin turns soft. "I let you arrest me," he says warmly. His first words to Tony, and God, what a truth.

Tony nods, pulls the little black velvet box out of his pocket and slowly, as gracefully as he can manage, sinks to one knee. He looks up at Gibbs.

Gibbs stares back down, baby blues wide, mouth fallen open.  Reality catching up to him.

Tony smiles winsomely. "Best arrest of my life. You were so caught up in the chase you didn't realise you'd been caught," says Tony, a little ruefully, because the words are equally true of himself as well.

Gibbs brings up a hand to cover the grin that's stealing over his open mouth, which does absolutely nothing to hide how happy and excited he is.

Tony smiles helplessly up at him and holds out the ring box, but doesn't open it just yet. "Leroy Jethro Gibbs, I know you're not a fan of people stating the obvious, but I'm kind of completely in love with you and I think it bears saying. I'm not going to leave, I'm not going to walk away or divorce you. I am going to fight like hell to stay by your side. I am going to fight like hell to come home to you. I am going to fight like hell to protect you, and to protect our unborn baby."

There's gasps and choking noises from the peanut gallery but Tony keeps his eyes locked on Gibbs's. Gibbs is smiling brightly, eyes crinkling in the corners, nodding eagerly. He looks like he's about to cry from happiness. Tony swallows hard over the lump in his throat. "I'm sorry, Gibbs, I can't fucking remember the rest of the speech I had planned, but I swear I love you, good, bad, and bastard, so will you marry me, babe? Please?" He thrusts the ring box up towards Gibbs.

Gibbs lunges into his arms, dropping heavy onto his thigh, and Tony drops the little box as he wraps his arms around Gibbs tightly, trying to keep his balance and not let them topple over backwards, but he manages, just.

"Yes yes yes, fucking yes, Tony," says Gibbs, pressing kisses to Tony's hair and temple and cheek, before seizing Tony's face with both hands and leaning down to slot their mouths together, trying to kiss him through their wide grins.

There's clapping somewhere in the background, and blood rushing in Tony's ears, and then he and Gibbs give up on kissing, grinning and giggling too hard, foreheads knocking together. Maybe they're still a little drunk. Drunk on jäger bombs, drunk on love.

"I love you so damned much, Tony," whispers Gibbs, his toothy grin splitting his face.

Tony nods enthusiastically, grinning and rubbing their noses together. "I know. I love you too, Gibbs."

It's a bit of a blur after that.

They climb to their feet, grab the ring box Tony had dropped. Tony frets out loud over whether or not Gibbs will like the ring Tony's chosen - because he hadn't even remembered to open the box when proposing - babbling that if Gibbs doesn't like it then he can get a different one or they can go ring shopping together. Gibbs shuts him up by just grabbing the box, opening it up, and sliding the ring onto his own finger himself.

Gibbs grins happily down at the simple platinum ring with a circular white diamond embedded on top, and Tony beams at Gibbs's pleasure. He'd decided on a ring with a rock because Gibbs has been married four times and Tony knows that no-one had ever given Gibbs bling to show off. Shaped like a signet ring, Tony thinks it looks masculine enough. It's not like anyone would dare give Gibbs shit for wearing something feminine, but that doesn't mean Gibbs would want a woman's engagement ring.

There's more kissing, more clapping, and lots of laughter and smiles, lots of hugs, kisses on cheeks, and a few handshakes that turn into hugs. Tim gets it all on his phone, right from 'Freeze, dirtbag', and Tony will have to get a copy of the video for himself and Gibbs later.

Tony and Gibbs hold hands as they explain. Yes, they're having a baby. No, Gibbs isn't pregnant. No, Tony's not pregnant either, Fornell, Jesus. Tony's ex-girlfriend, Zoe Keates, is carrying, and although she doesn't want children for herself, she offered to carry to term for Tony and allow Gibbs to adopt. No, it wasn't planned but Tony and Gibbs are delighted. No, Tony didn't cheat on anyone, he and Zoe really did have one last round of sex when they broke up, he didn't wrap up and the pill that Zoe was on failed. For fuck's sake, Tony, you don't have super-sperm, says Gibbs, sighing heavily as Tony laughs himself silly.

It's a long story, and a lot more stories get told, the alcohol gets flowing, more cake and snack food is eaten, Gibbs is bombarded with birthday presents, and everyone sprawls out, happily talking the night away.

It's half past two in the morning before Ellie jerks up, yelping at the time, and a round of annoyed groans and grumbles fill the room. In the end, Gibbs says everyone might as well stay over and make a night of it.

Tony and Tim carry down the two queen size mattresses from upstairs, plus the spare double that was tucked away in the basement, then Tony grabs his and Gibbs's sleeping bags, and Gibbs and Vance collect and distribute sheets, blankets, duvets, and pillows, as well as spare sleepwear. Hunkering down in the living room for the summer night, Delilah, Tim, and Ellie take one queen mattress, Jimmy and Breena take the other, Vance takes the armchair, Fornell takes the couch, and Tony and Gibbs take the double mattress.

They curl up together in t-shirts and briefs, using their unzipped sleeping bags as blankets. Smiling happily, Tony falls asleep with Gibbs spooning him, a warm hand on his stomach and even breath on his nape.