Actions

Work Header

Gradient

Summary:

Persephone and Hades entertain one of their favorite guests. Sequel to Variegated.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter Text

“So.”

The fabric of the couch rustled as Hermes shuffled slightly, crossing his ankles and stretching his legs out in front of him. He clenched his fists against the cushion. The room crackled with energy; he could taste it on his tongue like the aftermath of a lightning storm, sharp and stinging. The hairs on the back of his neck stood up. The skin on his arms bloomed with goosebumps.

“So?”

Hermes swallowed, his throat dry and catching. He trained his eyes straight ahead, taking in the darkness of the night through the wide paned windows that spanned the wall of the living room. To his right, the couch cushions sank as a warm body slid closer to him. A soft, pink hand wrapped over the curve of his thigh.

“It was nice of you guys to invite me back,” Hermes squeaked. “I mean, I’m honored, it’s still really lovely of you to even consider that I-”

“Hermes,” Hades rumbled to his left. “Shut up.”

“Sir yes sir!” Hermes smacked his hand to his forehead. He had been going for a salute but ended up achieving more of a resounding slap. “Ouch.”

Persephone laughed - a delicate, tinkling sound. It would have sounded polite and kind to most people, but Hermes knew better. Hermes heard the danger in it. A thrill went through him, shooting straight to his toes as Persephone’s fingers tightened where they still rested against his thigh. He turned his head and met her eyes, red seeping across her sclera as she grinned at him like she wanted to eat him alive.

“Ready?” Persephone asked, digging her nails into his thigh. Her grin widened. Hermes felt a wide, warm palm wrap around the back of his neck as he met Persephone’s gaze. He pressed back into Hades’s hand, his breath quickening.

“Ready.”