Actions

Work Header

Taking Time

Summary:

Maya Sunriviere was just trying to finish her last semester of high school and get the hell off this reservation. But when a man she barely knows lays some weird archaic claim on her, the tribal council steps in and tells her what her destiny will be. That won't stop Maya from searching for another way out though.

This story takes place roughly seven years after the events in Breaking Dawn.

Chapter 1: Get me out of here

Chapter Text

You’re never sure when your life actually starts. One day you just wake up and everything looks different, there’s a shift in the universe, or you feel all brand new but somehow, irritatingly, the exact same. For me, my world began to shift the last weekend of winter break before my last semester as a senior at the Quileute Tribal School. If only I’d have known what chaos was about to unfold, maybe I would have held on tighter to the old instead of rushing toward the new. 


“You’re going to freeze to death!” Rebecca was expertly applying her lip gloss in Maya’s full length mirror when she saw her shimmying on the tightest dark wash jeans she had in her closet. The rips exposed just the right amount of thigh and Maya had paired it with a cropped dark green tank top with thin spaghetti straps. Her long, silky, black hair rippled down to her mid back and her almond shaped milk chocolate eyes were accentuated with just a hint of mascara. 

 

Maya looked up laughing as she struggled to button her pants. “Chill Becks, I’m gonna wear my sheepskin coat. Plus this is an indoor party, no?” 

 

“Fashion over warmth, take note!” Keye said from her place on Maya’s bed, sprawled on her stomach and finishing her expert eye shadow. 

 

“Don’t come crying to me when you're a popsicle,” Becks turned back to applying her mascara letting her mouth hang open. 

 

“Oh!” Keye exclaimed as a new song shuffled on her phone. She pressed up the volume to the point where Maya and Becks had to shout over Khalid’s song “Twenty One.” Maya dug in her closet for her trusty pair of brown boots with red laces. 

 

“Keye!” she shouted, snapping her fingers to get her attention over the music. She posed when she looked over. 

 

“SHOW ME THE BUTT!” Keye shouted, clapping. Maya laughed and did a little twirl. “Yesss!!” Becks nodded her approval from the mirror having moved on to applying lip gloss. Maya bounded over to her and Becks automatically handed her the wand. Maya had A-class best friends—they were all adept at anticipating each other’s needs, hyping one another up, communicating with just a look, and being there at the drop of a hat. With a quick swipe of the sticky substance across her full, pouted lips, she handed the wand back to Becks who turned to peck her lightly on the lips with an exaggerated “Mwah!” 

 

Keye dug under Maya’s bed and swiftly pulled out the tall bottle of vodka they had swiped from her dad’s liquor cabinet and flicked the lid off to take a swig. She grimaced and handed it out to Maya who eagerly took it and dunked it back dramatically, taking a larger glug than intended before sputtering and coughing. Keye burst into laughter and Beck’s joined in, grabbing the bottle and taking a small swig, ever the responsible one. 

 

As Maya ungracefully regained her composure and complained that she was going to need to reapply her lipgloss, her bedroom door swung open, revealing a tall, handsome man in his mid-forties, with long black swinging hair. He was covering his ears and looked annoyed. 

 

“Can you turn it down? PLEASE?!” he shouted. Keye was quick to push the volume down. Becks had expertly stowed the bottle under her baggy black sweater and was pretending not to notice Maya’s dad’s intrusion. 

 

“Sorry, dad,” Maya said, still coughing and covering her mouth. “Swallowed wrong.” She answered to his quirked eyebrow. 

 

“Don’t forget your curfew. Midnight, no later, understood?” He said firmly. Maya nodded agreeably. 

 

“Yes, midnight, got it! Thank yooou!” she replied in a sing-songy voice. 

 

“Behave yourselves,” he said as he pulled the door shut behind him. Maya immediately turned on her heel and quickly collided with Becks who’s eyes had gone wide. She fished under her shirt and produced the bottle of vodka and they each took another quick pull. 

 

“Let’s go, let’s go, let’s gooo!” Keye said as Maya reapplied her lip gloss in the mirror with only one arm through her jacket. And with that, the three inseparable friends, troubled down the wide staircase and out the front door, shouting their goodbye’s to Maya’s parents as they went. The cool night air ushered them in. They could taste the wet promise of snow on the tips of their tongues as they inhaled chilly breaths, their arms threaded into one another’s as they charged down the lamp lit street toward their destination. 

 

“Do you think Kai will be there?” Keye prompted, pulling the bottle out of Beck’s hands as she took a drink, resulting in a squeal from her. 

 

“Ugh, I hope not, he’s such a douche. Are he and Sadie Guthrie still going at it?” Maya responded, pushing her breath out in huffs and making ghosts in the frosty air. 

 

“So they say,” Becks said waggling her eyebrows. Her short black hair was clipped back away from her beautiful round face. Her naturally ruby lips shone with the help of the gloss in the lamp light and her dark green eyes dazzled in the moonlight. Each of the girls was a varying shade of warm brown. Maya had the softest glow, with sunkissed russet skin that always looked like she had walked fresh off a warm beach even under the rainy overcast sky that plagued the rez. Becks was a shade warmer, the color of macadamia nut shell, and her bright vibrant smile was like a magnet whenever she laughed. Keye looked like her mother, with warm honey brown skin and red undertones that pooled warmth into her high cheekbones. Her dark brown eyes were swarmed by thick black lashes that always gave her a heavy lidded look. Her “come hither” eyes she always joked. 

 

The threesome was a sight and heralded by their classmates as exceptionally beautiful, which translated, naturally, to being well liked. 

 

“Are you still hung up on him?” Maya chided as she took a swig. The bottle was getting close to half empty. 

 

“I’m not ‘hung up’ on anything!” she protested. “Just looking for a little eye candy tonight. God, he’s good looking.” 

 

“Yeah well,” Maya said. 

 

“Oh pipe down, Virgin Maya,” Becks poked at her side and Maya squealed. “No one at this school is ever good enough, admit it.” 

 

“I’m admitting nothing. Your girl’s just got high standards is all.” To this, Becks rolled her eyes. 

 

“Yeah, yeah. Maybe that college dick will suit you better,” she replied. Maya almost choked on the last sip of vodka amidst her laughter. 

 

“Jesus, Becks!” Keye scolded playfully, “Give the girl a break, she aims high. Too high, but high nonetheless. You know what they say about aiming high?” Maya and Becks looked at her expectantly, “The farther and harder they fall.” 

 

“High standards, low morals, am I right ladies?” Maya yelled holding the bottle above her as they swayed off down the street together. The whole world opened up before them and they plunged headlong into the night, eager to see what awaited them on the other side. 

 




The party was at a small house down by the beach. The air coming off the crashing waves nearly choked with cold, but the buzz of activity in the house was inviting and flowing with alcohol to keep everyone warm. 

 

The girls made their rounds, checking in on some friends and being pulled into all too familiar hugs with some of the boys from school. Maya felt the finality of this evening upon them too quick. This was their last party before their final semester, before the crushing anxiety of college acceptance letters rolling in, the onslaught of finals, the inevitable change of life. 

 

Maya scanned the room, looking for anything that would catch her interest, but as usual, there wasn’t anyone she was truly interested in. Of course, she was attracted to plenty of the boys at school and a few of them over the years had even tried to take her out on dates, but she always lost interest a few weeks in, feeling that hollow pit in her stomach of something missing. Hilariously, this has earned her the moniker of the Tribal School’s biggest prude. But she always laughed it off—she’d know who she wanted when she saw them, she was sure of it. 

 

The night progressed while the girls drank the mystery mixture from their red solo cups and danced in the small living room with a throng of kids from school. At one put Keye disappeared and a few songs later, Maya was alerted when Becks squawked with delight and shock, pointing over Maya’s shoulder toward the far wall. Kai Pierce was wrapped around Keye, their lips smashed unceremoniously together when just a few hours ago, he had been similarly wrapped around Sadie Guthrie in the opposite corner. 

 

Maya, too drunk to feel disdain, barked out a laugh and tried to shout across the booming chorus of the music “Oh Jesus Keye! Com’ere!” But Keye was lost in the sweet forgetfulness of kissing your long time crush. Becks and Maya devolved into giggles, stumbling and splashing their drinks, when a loud crow of noise came from the front door. Two towering boys, one with their arm wrapped around a girl, walked in and let out a holler of joy to announce their presence. 

 

“Oh...oh my god,” Becks said surprised. Maya looked to her confused, her vision a little shaky now. She couldn’t place the two boys, their faces clearly that of a highschool boys but their bodies were tall, hard and the muscular ones of men. It was kind of funny. “Is that….Is that Jeremy Treever and Mica Blackfoot?” 

 

Maya did a double take. There was no way! Jeremy Treever had had a long time crush on Maya, that she knew very clearly, but when did he become so...enormous? Even by winter break standards, no one could bulk up that fast, let alone shoot up 8 inches. He towered over the heads of some of the others. Her eyes connected with his and he gave her a devilish grin before hollering over everyone’s heads and the thumping music. 

 

“Maya Sunriviere! Come here!” 

 

She didn’t really take kindly to being summoned so she dipped her head and took another drink from her cup, swinging her body behind Becks who looked pleasantly alarmed. Jeremy didn’t seem too perturbed and wove his way through the crowd easily. It helped that people kind of stumbled out of the way of his massive frame. 

 

“Oh god, he’s coming over here,” Maya said mortified to Becks. Becks returned Maya’s sentiment with wide eyes, trying to stifle a smile as Jeremy appeared over Maya’s shoulder. He tapped her on the shoulder and Maya, biting her lip, turned and gave the overly pleasant greeting of a woman taken off guard. “Oh my god! Jeremy, HI!” 

 

Jeremy chuckled at this, “Hi. What are you drinking?” he pointed to her solo cup. Maya held it up, confused and then squinted her eyes in trying to remember. 

 

“Mmmmm Quileute kid punch!” she said. “Everything a growing girl needs, you know?” 

 

“Yeah, let me grab us some more drinks. I’ve been meaning to talk to you,” he said, trying to retreat and solidify his night with her. Before he could get too far though, she shouted a retort.

 

“You know, metabolic steroids are really bad for you!” she yelled over the music. Was it getting incredibly hot in here? He laughed and Maya was momentarily transfixed by the sight of it. She recognized something familiar in there. Curious.  

 

“I’m just filling out Maya!” he yelled back over the music, clearly taking note of her interest, “I’ll be right back.” Before she could stop him, he had deftly moved away to the punch bowl. 

 

“We gotta go!” Maya said frantically. 

 

“What?! Why?! They’re hot.” Becks said. 

 

“Keye!” Maya swung around, looking back to the far wall. She was gone. “Keye!” Maya called out again looking around the room. She saw her just by the front door, being pulled by the hand out into the cold night. Maya saw an opportunity and took it. “Let’s go!” she yelled to Becks as she threaded through the crowd, Becks arm gripped firmly in her hand as she stumbled and laughed wheezing, “Jeez Maya! Slow down!” 

 

“Hey!” Jeremy called across the crowd, holding two cups in his hand and nearly stunned at the brush off. 

 

“My friend!” Maya called back, ever the polite cover up, “She...I gotta…” she didn’t finish as she snagged her coat from the rack by the door with her finger tips, delicately balanced the cup in her hand and grasping a stumbling Becks with the other. Before Jeremy could open his mouth to protest, they were out the door in the cool night air. “Where the fuck did she go?” Maya breathed. Becks had somewhat regained her feet under her, “Come on.” she said to Becks as she scanned the beach ahead. There were several dark figures milling about. One of them had to be Keye. 

 

Mostly, Maya was hoping to get out of sight of Jeremy, rather than crash Keye’s chance at getting lucky with Kai. Something had set off in her when Jeremy got near her and she wasn’t entirely sure what that was. Attraction? Couldn’t be, she knew what that felt like, but Jeremy was...different than the other guys thrashing around at the party. And she didn’t just mean his stature. 

 

She could have sworn that just before they left for winter break, he stood at eye level with her, the pudginess of a young kid still hanging on his bones. But now, he was all muscle-hard and she was pretty sure she saw a tattoo peeking out from under the right sleeve of his black t-shirt. His once long hair was shorn short and the usual round face was cut with hard angular lines that pronounced a spectacular jaw. 

 

As Maya and Becks made their way down the freezing beach, Maya tugged on her jacket and smooshed her side into Becks’. 

 

“Jeremy Treever is looking pretty fine, no?” Becks said between chattering teeth. “And who was with Mica? I don’t think I’ve seen her before.” 

 

“No clue,” Maya said, trying not to give anything away. Becks, ever perceptive, nudged her shoulder into Maya’s.

 

“Oh come on, he was nearly dripping onto you. That boy is a puddle when he’s around you,” she joked. 

 

“Not a boy anymore,” Maya was starting to get cold now too. She hated feeling cold and craved the warm summer sun. Her mom had always joked that Maya’s most natural state was lying in the sun, usually clad in as little a bikini top as she was allowed with cuffed jean shorts. “Where the hell did she go?” Keye had the incredible ability to disappear and reappear at a moment's notice. As they trudged down the beach, Maya heard her name bellow out behind her. 

 

“Hey Maya, wait up!” the ever persistent Jeremy was jogging up the beach toward her. Mica and his girlfriend were further down the beach taking their time. Maya sucked in a breath and tighted her grip on Becks. 

 

“You’re being dramatic. He’s cute, what’s the problem?!” Becks protested as Jeremy finally caught up with them, “Hey Jeremy. You sure do know where the gym is huh?” 

 

“Yeah, I had some free time this break.” He said nonchalantly, shrugging. 

 

“You must be freezing,” Maya said. Jeremy was only wearing a black and some dark jeans. 

 

“I run hot,” he said, meeting Maya’s gaze with a warm grin. 

 

“You sure do,” Becks said. Maya jutted her elbow into her side and Becks let out a cry. 

 

“What’s up?” Maya said, folding her arms across her chest and trying to conserve what little warmth she had left. 

 

“Uhh,” Jeremy seemed lost for words now that he had her attention, “How was your break?” He put a hand behind his head, scratching it. Maya gave a gentle smile but looked around the beach and replied cheerfully. 

 

“My break? Uhh, yeah it was good. Ready to knock this semester out and move on.” 

 

“Oh yeah, for sure,” an awkward silence ensued and Becks was trying her best to hold it together next to Maya. Unfortunately, this was a common occurrence for their group. A lot of the boys in their class and even some lower classmen would try to talk to them sometimes. Maya was the best at it. She was always genuine and kind, and never tried to throw anyone off unless they were being an absolute ass for clout. That was usually easy to spot. Keye was a little more direct and brushed people off easily. Becks typically changed the conversation to something academic or community related and they often lost interest. 

 

“Listen, uhh,” Jeremy was shifting his weight from foot to foot, his hands now shoved deep in his jean pockets. “I was wondering, I mean once we get back into the swing of things at school if you maybe wanted to...I don’t know, go—” It was about to happen. He was going to ask her on a date. Becks was green next to Maya and as Maya opened her mouth to respond accordingly to the invite she knew was coming, Becks doubled over and vomited on the sand at their feet. 

 

“Oh fuck!” Maya said, immediately moving to grab Beck’s short hair so it wouldn’t drop into her face. Jeremy had jumped back in alarm but was now seemingly concerned. 

 

“Jeez is she okay?” he said. 

 

“Just drunk I think. Becks. BECKS! Blink twice if you’re gonna puke again,” Maya said. Becks gave an ungodly moan of despair and Jeremy looked at Maya in alarm. 

 

“What does that mean?” He said. 

 

“It means I need to get her home. Can you find Keye? She’s making out with Kai somewhere,” Maya muttered, not really looking up. Suddenly though, Keye appeared. 

 

“Good god, Becks, not again.” she said. 

 

“Not helpful, Keye,” Maya said as they both hoisted Becks up and started off toward Maya’s house again. 

 

“Impeccable timing Becks,” Maya said somewhat relieved. Behind her, Jeremy shouted “I’ll see you at school!” Becks continued to groan and they carried her away up the dark street stumbling as they went. 




Chapter 2: Tonight's alright for a bonfire

Chapter Text

There’s always something about firelight. It casts shadows, softens the lines, sets everything aglow, and swallows you up. Once you’re in the fire, there’s no escaping it and there’s no going back unscathed. But even still, I’m mesmerized by it, drawn to it, and willing to get a little burned if it means I can feel the heat of it pulse through me.

 

“UP! UP! UP!” Maya’s mother, Rish, pulled back the curtains of her bedroom, letting precious morning sunlight filter in uninterrupted across Maya’s room. 

 

Maya groaned and pulled the covers up over her eyes. “Mom, please! It’s the last day of winter break, pleeeease.” 

 

“I need help finalizing some stuff for Friday’s bonfire gathering and I need your help, so UP PLEASE!” she said pulling the covers down off of Maya. “Did you girls have fun last night?” Her mother always did this—she always started casual conversation to help distract you from the thing you really didn’t feel like doing. It was pretty effective on Maya over the years but as a pulsing headache already built up behind her left temple, Maya didn’t find it so endearing this time. 

 

“It was eventful,” she grumbled, leaning up and rubbing her eyes. 

 

“Well, good. I’m glad you got to blow off some steam before the stress of the semester. Get dressed please, we’re leaving in 15!” and with that, Rish swept out the room, her lithe and shapely figure disappearing down the wide steps to the kitchen. Maya’s room was closest to the staircase and if she poked her head out of the door, she would have full view of the front door. It came in handy when people swung by unannounced that she’d rather avoid (boys, community leaders, overzealous cousins, you get the idea). 

 

Maya got ready quickly and spent most of the morning cruising around town with her mom, stopping at some council member homes to drop off care packages and food, as well as picking up supplies for the Friday gathering. They always liked to hold a bonfire at the beginning of the year to get everyone together and reacquaint with themselves with the new year. Typically, they would discuss tribe matters, fundraising for the school or local resident’s home repairs. People would commit to dedicating time and resources to restoring areas of the reservation for the next year and new projects were assigned to community members like Maya’s mother. 

 

Maya was very involved in her tribe, mostly due to her mother’s influence, but she was well versed in the stories and traditions of her community. It gave her immense pride but also filled her with a desire to see the world outside of her tribe. Maya was the council’s hopeful for ivy league admittance from the tribal school’s batch of graduates. She had a great shot at a full ride to just about all of the public universities she had applied for both in and outside the state of Washington, but Maya was holding out for bigger things. 

 

Currently, she was holding her breath for her Princeton and Columbia application decisions. A girl could dream and this girl was pulling out all the stops to get out of La Push and into the great wide world for awhile. But while she was still here, her mother would keep her wrapped up tight in the traditions and community that kept her safe since birth. 

 

Maya spent the rest of the evening organizing herself for the week ahead at school. She texted Becks and Keye (who had nothing of note to report except digging for more details on Jeremy Treever of all people). She obsessively checked her email for an applications status update on her college acceptances and just as it had the night before, she closed the window with no news. 

 




The rush of the new and final semester felt good. Maya couldn’t help but feel something in her shift, as if every step forward was a new moment waiting to be defined, if only she knew how to define it. She would chase that feeling as mucha s she could 

 

She barely made it past second period when Jeremy tracked her down. Maya was pushing her locker door closed, commiserating with Keye about their first period homework—a paper due next week on the cultural impact of colonizers in “A Passage to India” no less— when he leaned on the row of lockers over her right shoulder. 

 

“Maya the master escape artist,” he said pleasantly, she had to admit, his tone exuded a warmth she couldn’t deny and she could practically feel the heat coming off of his body like a overworking radiator. Maya widened her eyes at Keye before gaining her composure and turning to meet Jeremy’s eyes. She clasped her AP Physics book in her arms, eager to get to her third period class. 

 

“Jeremy the expert at finding girls who don’t want to be found,” she gave a reassuring laugh to show it was a joke and he smiled in return. He was absolutely massive, towering above her even in her 4-inch heeled black boots. 

 

“So we got cut off the other night.” 

 

“That we did,” Maya said. 

 

“And I wanted to see if you would maybe want to hang out this weekend? Maybe we could get together and study?” A productive date. Hmm, she liked that. Maya arched an eyebrow suggestively. 

 

“A study hangout?” she refused to use the word date. 

 

“Yeah, I mean, I know you’re swamped with AP stuff even though classes started today, and I’m already behind so, I thought it might be doubly useful? We get to hangout, talk…” he trailed off. Maya pondered this for a minute and then with a sidelong glance at Keye who was patiently twirling her neat pony between her fingers while checking her phone, she said: 

 

“Sure, why not. Want to meet up at Clearwater Coffee on Saturday around 11?” 

 

“Sounds good!” he said, bopping her forearm with his textbook gently before heading off quickly in the direction of his next class. Maya snapped her locker shut and turned to look at Keye who was doing very uncouth hip thrusting in the middle of the hallway. 

 

“AW YEAH!” she said before bursting into laughter. 

 

“Keye, calm down,” Maya said as if it was no big deal. She started to walk quickly toward her Physics class not wanting to be late. For all the responsibility and buttoned up demeanor that Becks had, she couldn’t hold a candle to Maya’s determination to succeed in school, not to mention punctuality. 

 

“I can’t believe it. Maya Sun actually said YES to a date!” Keye skipped to catch up with her. 

 

“Not so loud! And it’s not a date, it’s a study sesh. Very different.” Maya said as she rushed around a corner. 

 

“Okay, but this is groundbreaking! In all our time here, you’ve not ONCE said yes to any kind of date other than Carmichael what’s his face from Seattle that one time and he was a total do–” The bell rang and Maya waved goodbye before ducking through the door of her class, grateful for the interruption from the onslaught. 

 




The rest of the week passed by in an all too quick haze for Maya. She was hoping to be caught up on some things by the end of the week before her study session with Jeremy on Saturday, but by Friday afternoon and a pile of work ahead of her and her duties at the bonfire tonight, Maya was already overwhelmed and feeling very behind. 

 

“The answer is no, Maya. It’s the first gathering of the year and the tribe’s elders will be there. Plus, you only have the spring and summer before you’re off to college and then who even knows how many bonfires you’ll be back for!” Rish choked up a little as she prepared her Five Divine casseroles for the gathering that night. Maya had been pleading with her to let her stay home just this once so that she could tackle some homework before the weekend. 

 

Leave it to Maya’s mother to put tribal business before her daughter’s academic success. 

 

“Ugh, fine, but I’m bringing my English homework to work on during some downtime.” she conceded trudging back upstairs to change. The weather was holding up well for January which was surprising. It was unseasonably warmer, but the air still had a bite to it when the wind blew off of the incoming waves. 

 

Maya decided to layer up and wore a long sleeve black shirt under her baggy black sweater with the wide cuffed collar. She cuffed the sleeves a little just enough to leave her wrists exposed and dawned her late grandmother’s black leather watch. She paired her sweater with a pair of dark jeans, sans rips, and bundled some wool socks under her dark brown boots with a 2-inch heel. Her mom had made a good point, it was the first bonfire of the year so she might as well look presentable.

 

Her family liked to maintain a certain level of respectability in her community seeing as her mother ran a lot of the gatherings and sat in on council meetings for timekeeping purposes. She had a line in without being a sacred member and Maya knew that that was all she truly wanted in life—to be a bigger part of her community and her tribe’s history. 

 

Maya carefully brushed out her thick black hair and curled some intermittent waves throughout. She dabbed on some pigmented lip stain that accentuated her full mouth and reddened her lips a little. She finished off with a quick swipe of mascara and called it good. 

 

As she clattered down the stairs in her boots, Maya grabbed her brown book bag off the hook by the door and stuffed her notebook, A Passage to India and some pens into her bag. 

 

“Mom! Time to go!” she shouted by the railing. Her father swung around the corner of the kitchen and planted a soft kiss to the top of Maya’s head. He loved bonfire nights almost as much as Maya’s mom. They reminded him of his childhood, sitting next to his father and hearing the legends of their tribe. He tucked into his jacket and held the door open for her as Rish scuttled down the hallway balancing two casserole dishes and pulling her hat off the hook by the door. 

 

When they arrived in the clearing just down the hill from the council’s meeting house, there were already some local boys setting up the bonfire and some tables to host the food. Maya was given a task and set to work, keeping her head down except to say hello to each person who came up to her and exclaimed:

 

“Oh Maya! The end of your senior year, how are you feeling?” 

 

“Got big plans for college I heard. I’m keeping my fingers crossed and my heart light for you!” 

 

“Oh I just have to introduce you to my grandson. He just got into the University of Montana, I’m sure you two would have lots to talk about.” 

 

Maya was always courteous, a trait her parents hammered into her from a young age. She loved her community but just once, she’d love to be somewhere where no one knew her. Where something about her was a little bit of a mystery and her life wasn’t an open book because people had watched her grow up from birth. 

 

When Rish came over to help her tidy up the spread of food before the elders began telling the legends, a group of towering men caught her eye and she watched them with fascination. 

 

“Oh my god, I didn’t know Sam Uley’s group would be here!” she exclaimed in delight. 

 

“Sam Uley?” Maya said, scoffing a little, “The leader of that protector group the council’s always going on about?” 

 

“Mmmhhmm, they rarely show up to these events anymore. I haven’t seen them in years honestly, not since you were much younger.” Her eyes were still transfixed on the group and she wasn’t the only one. 

 

In the past eight or so years, the tides of opinion had been gradually shifting on Sam Uley’s group. They used to be thought of as thugs, a gang of no good trouble makers that had weird ties and permissions from the council. But slowly, the opinion held by most tribe members had shifted, mostly in part to Sam’s group and the council’s work, at showing that they were integral members of the tribe. Honorable even. People talked about them in hushed reverence now and their presence was always overtly respected. Long gone was the talk of them being a cause for the drug problem in La Push. They were now thought to be the reason why so many drug dealers had been pushed out. Crime was near non-existent in La Push proper and the council publicly attributed that to Sam Uley and his group. 

 

Her mom was mesmerized by them. They were a sight so Maya couldn’t really blame them. They all varied in levels of tallness. And their wide shoulders, hard bodies, and strong features exhibited the most carried traits of their tribe. They were echoes of past warriors, carrying the hearts and minds of their ancestors and for that, they were revered now. And, best of all, according to her mother, they were incredibly beautiful. 

 

“Why don’t you go say hello,” Maya prompted, trying to organize the plastic cutlery into neat cups for distribution. 

 

“Oh, I couldn’t!” Rish actually seemed pretty flustered and Maya let out a snort of delight as she saw the color rush to her mother’s cheeks. 

 

“They’re not celebrities mom, you can just go talk to them,” Maya looked up at the group now. Most of them had their backs turned to her but her eyes widened when her gaze landed on one person in particular. “Oh my god, that’s Jeremy,” she said without thinking. 

 

“Who? Jeremy Treever?” Rish knew everyone. “Where?” She wasn’t even looking in the direction of Sam’s group anymore, clearly unable to recognize the now towering figure of Jeremy amongst the throng of men. 

 

“Right there, in Sam’s group,” Maya said under her breath. 

 

“Oh my god! He was accepted into Sam’s group? That’s amazing! They haven’t taken any new members in years.” Her mouth was slightly ajar and she pointed, “Oh and there’s Mica!”

 

“Aren’t you the one who told me it’s rude to point?” Maya was acutely embarrassed now. She was not trying to draw attention to herself. 

 

It made sense now—Jeremy’s transformation—that she saw him with Sam’s group. They all seemed to have that similar build and Jeremy fit right in. Maya wondered why Sam had decided to add new members to his group now. 

 

“Let’s go find a spot, they’re about to start.” Rish said as she wiped her hands on her waist-high apron. Clearly she had given up on trying to approach Sam’s group. 

 

Maya ran a hand through her hair, took one last look at the table and felt satisfied. As she sat on a low log next to her mother and father, she caught Becks and Keye’s eyes across the circle. They were standing back and off to the side and shot her a smile and a wave. “Talk after?” Becks mouthed and Maya nodded enthusiastically. 

 

The sun was setting quickly in the late winter light and the bonfire was already raging. The elders were escorted to their seats at the head of the fire and began their part in telling the stories of warriors past. Maya’s favorite was that of the spirit wolf warriors. As a child she always had this recurring dream that she was gliding through the forest at full speed. Under her were paws pounding into the wet earth, but she felt nothing except the cool refreshing breeze on her face. The dream persisted through her teenage years and after every retelling of the spirit wolf warrior story, Maya’s dreams would come back with vigor. Sometimes she was the wolf, other times a golden, tan wolf stood next to her. She would point over the cliff toward the sea and before she could wake up, she would hear her voice say “Wait.” 

 

Maya never knew if she was saying the words “wait” to the wolf or to herself. Sometimes the voice didn’t even sound like hers. Sometimes it sounded like a deep, wanting male voice that made her shiver and always startled her awake in a cold sweat. But she knew that she felt deeply connected to these stories and always relished in their retelling, especially when it was from a tribal elder. 

 

Following the stories, the elders announced some council business and divided up projects and labor among the able-bodied members of the tribe. Maya never really paid much attention to this part, often lost in thought about the stories and where she fit into them in her own personal histories. 

 

“And finally,” Elder Leo said, “We want to offer our thoughts and light hearts to those young members of our tribes waiting to hear back about colleges. Maya Sunriviere is hopeful for some very competitive schools and if accepted, we know she will make her community proud.”

 

Maya blushed profusely, completely caught off guard by this call out. Her father looped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her into a sideways hug as she dipped her head and nodded her appreciation at the acknowledgment. 

 

As the announcements came to a close, Maya stood up and looked for her friends over the bonfire. Her face was still red from being singled out but in the firelight it warmed and spread across her whole face in a swath of joy. Maya felt...good. Very good. As she flicked her eyes up, she had the distinct feeling that was she was being watched. And in one defining moment, her life changed. 

 

Across the fire was a member of Sam Uley’s group. His hair was dark and pushed back, and he wore it a little bit longer than the rest of the group. His broad frame was swathed in firelight and even from where Maya was standing, she had to jut her chin up a bit to meet his eyes. When his line of sight collided with hers, Maya felt her entire body freeze. The world around her grew quiet and slow and she felt like she was back in her dream with the tan wolf. Her heart hammered in her chest as she watched this complete stranger hold her gaze like he’d recognized her before, maybe even in lifetimes before this one. Her lips parted slightly as if she was going to say something, but words escaped her and as the recognition flooded his eyes, Maya felt the same wash over her. 

 

She knew him. 

 

She didn’t know how, and didn’t even know his name, but Maya recognized him. A soul acknowledging another soul. The burning in her belly crawled up through her throat and she could only describe the warmth as something akin to pure joy. Her eyes pulled across his face, naturally trying to memorize this moment as everything seemed to have stopped. She took her time letting her eyes roam around the firm, cut jaw with overgrown stumble, the dark eyes reflecting the flames licking up toward the sky. When she tried to place the look on his face, she recognized several emotions flicker across it at once: shock, recognition, understanding, upset, and then finally, was it relief? And then, his smile. Her eyes darted to the warm grin he flashed at her for just a moment and felt addicted by it. But then, he quickly closed his lips over the smile and took a step back, snapping Maya from her reverie all too soon. Immediately, she craved that contact in his eyes again—she'd never felt something more familiar that filled her with want in her entire life. The feeling was totally new but also curiously familiar as if looking at him that way was the most natural thing she'd ever done. It made sense to want to look at him like that, get closer, reach out with one hand extended toward that hard jaw and—

 

The cold air pressed in around her and she felt her arm being touched. The sounds were slowly coming back to life and she heard her name a couple of times as if she was coming up from under deep water. She swiveled her head to look to her right: Keye was standing there, her eyes flashing wide in confusion. 

 

“You okay?” she said. Was she okay? Maya couldn’t be sure. When she whipped her head back to look for the man again, he had disappeared. “Maya?” Keye pressed again. 

 

“Dude, your mom’s casserole never disappoints.” Becks said over a plateful. Maya shook her head out a little bit, trying to clear the swimming feeling in her brain. 

 

What just happened? She tried to scan the crowd again for any sign of him or Sam Uley’s group but they were gone. When she looked to her right, she saw Elder Mila sitting serenely on the stump still at the head of the bonfire. She was staring back at Maya with a smile so wide she thought her face might crack in two. As Mila nodded at her, Maya couldn’t help but feel that warmth quickly turn to ice at some unconscious understanding at what had happened. She didn’t know what it was, but it no longer boded well. 



“Earth to My!” Keye said snapping fingers in front of her face now, “Jeez, are you alright? I thought I lost you.” 

 

“Sorry,” Maya was finally able to murmur. She felt dizzy. “So weird. I thought I just saw—” But how could she explain what she just experienced to her best friends? They would think she was insane: ‘Hey guys, I think my soul just recognized it’s counterpart and I got to find some weird guy I’ve never met before and tell him… I don’t know...I think we’re soulmates?’ Yeah...totally crazy when she sounded it out in her head. 

 

“Who?” Keye prompted, looking around curiously. 

 

“No one,” Maya said. But that statement had never felt as wrong as it did just now. Not no one, the one. 

Chapter 3: The council meets on a Saturday

Chapter Text

What about standing up in front of a group of people automatically makes you feel persecuted? As a woman, it kind of comes with the territory. I can’t even escape it when I read—the pages of my required reading for AP Lit are littered with perceptions of women seen through the eyes of men. Pretty, pouty, reserved. A toe out of line is a swift step toward the pyre. So if I’m stepping into the fire, I’ll lean on Joan of Arc: ‘..To sacrifice what you are and to live without belief, that is a fate more terrible than dying.’ 

 

Back in her darkened room, Maya still couldn’t seem to catch her breath. The rest of the evening at the bonfire was spent trying to catch a glimpse of the strange man she now felt connected to with a strange, tenuous bond that she swore she could feel tightening in her body. 

 

When the rest of the evening passed without incident, Maya felt a thrumming in her chest start and her breath would catch in her throat. When she returned home, she excused herself to her bedroom, saying she was just tired. Behind the closed door, Maya placed a hand on her chest and tried to take in deep, solid breaths. She felt like she had run a marathon and no amount of calming breath could bring her back to normal. 

 

His eyes swam before her, the firelight flickering in it’s dark depths, as she tried to make sense of what happened. Everything had been fine and now, everything felt somehow complicated, different, and slightly terrifying. Her heart hammered against her chest as she continued to breath, pacing her room for some clarity. Would it feel like this forever? Maya realized now that panic was rising in her. Should she tell her parents? They’d think she was crazy, surely. She might call Becks and run the event past her but she faced the same fear again. 

 

Maya knew that what she felt in those short moments connecting with a stranger across the bonfire in the most visceral way possible had to be real, but how she explained that intense feeling to anyone else, she wasn’t sure. 

 

Maybe…

 

Maya reached for her cellphone from her back pocket and opened to her most recent text messages with Jeremy. He had texted her earlier this week asking about some history homework they shared. When she opened the message though, and poised her fingers to type out a message, she nearly dropped her phone when she saw the three little dots appear on his end, indicating that he was typing to her. And just as quickly as they appeared, they disappeared. A moment later, they reappeared again. Maya had no idea what to think. Had he witnessed the weirdness between her and the stranger tonight? 

 

If Jeremy was a part of Sam Uley’s group, maybe he knew this guy and could give her some reassurance. She could see it now: 

 

Who? That guy?! Oh yeah, don’t mind him, he’s just a weirdo. You were totally right to feel that, he can be a little….intense. Anyways, what did you write for the short answer response to number 3? 

 

She closed her phone and tossed it on her nightstand, opting to crawl into bed instead. After much tossing and turning, she drifted off, but when she slept, the wolf was there in her dreams. He was waiting for her on the edge of the cliff now. Familiar, calm. Maya didn’t know if she should walk toward him or run the other direction. She stood frozen in place until the wolf pulled it’s head up toward the sky and let out a low mournful howl. 

 

Maya startled awake to her mother shaking her shoulder gently. A strange look was on her face. It was raining but Maya could tell that it was early morning. 

 

“Maya, sweetie,” her mom said softly, stroking some hair out of her face. “I need you to get up. The tribal council has requested a meeting with us.” 

 

A weight like a stone dropped in Maya’s stomach. “What?” she croaked. Her throat was parched and she felt how tight the muscles in her hand were as if she’d been clutching around her sheets all night. 

 

“Get dressed.” her mother said, sweeping out of her room. She could hear low talking in the living room as she pulled herself out of bed. A headache was ratcheting through her skull and she gave herself a minute before standing to ensure she wouldn’t get light headed from standing too quickly. Maya pulled off her clothes from the night before—she hadn’t even bothered changing before bed—before pulling on some light wash jeans and an oversized forest green sweatshirt. She pulled her knotted hair up into a ponytail and brushed her teeth quickly before running downstairs to pull on her rain boots. 

 

Her family had never been summoned by the council before and Maya would be lying if she said she wasn’t a little nervous. Then she remembered elder Mila smiling at her last night, knowingly. Maya wiped the thought from her mind and pulled on her dark blue rain jacket as her parents emerged from the kitchen with odd looks on their face. 

 

“Everything okay?” she probed. Rish looked at Maya’s dad for a split second before nodding and giving an enthusiastic smile. 

 

“Of course! Let’s go, don’t want to be late!” 

 

The council house was a modest cottage down close to La Push beach. Circular skylights dotted the roof to create natural overhead lighting. In the large main room was a long table that took of the majority of the space and chairs of varying shapes behind it. A small hallway led a to a back entrance. 

 

Maya’s family entered the humble cottage through the front door and was greeted warmly by the council members who were made up of: elder Mila, elder Leo, Chief Black, Sue Clearwater, and elder Arbol. Maya was slightly placated by their eager faces and happily accepted the tea they offered her. Her parents sat down in the chairs across from the table and Maya stood behind them. 

 

“Thank you for joining us on such short notice,” Chief Black said with a warm smile on his face. “And we wanted to thank you, Rish, for putting on such a great first gathering for the new year, as always.” 

 

“Oh, it’s my pleasure!” Rish blushed somewhat and waved them off. “It was nothing.”

 

Elder Mila was watching Maya carefully, her kind eyes twinkling in the low light of the cottage. 

 

“We wanted to call you here to discuss a matter that has been brought to our attention. Last night, specifically.” Chief Black’s eyes flickered to Maya for just a moment before staying trained on her parents. The panic was rising in her again and she worked to control her breathing. In and out. Take it slow. She told herself. She was sure everyone could hear the sound of her heart thudding loudly as Chief Black continued. Outside, a low rumble of thunder swept down the beach. 

 

“Oh?” her father said as he looked over his shoulder to glance at Maya. Her eyes darted frightfully to him and the look on his face changed to one of concern. Rish grabbed for her husband’s hand unsure of what was about to come next. 

 

“You are familiar with our Protection group run by Sam Uley, yes?” Chief Black asked. They nodded as Maya remained stock still. “As you may know from our legends, each member is a direct descendant of our spirit warriors, our wolf warriors.” 

 

“I’m familiar with the legends,” Rish said quietly. 

 

“That’s good. That will make this explanation easier. Part of our legends defines the role of the spirit warriors to the tribe. They’re our protectors and keep us safe from outside threats.” 

 

“The cold ones,” her father said to Maya’s surprise. Chief Black fixed him with a serious stare. 

 

“Yes. And though our threats and the roles of the spirit warriors have changed over the years, two things remain true: those threats are still out there and protection is still needed and...that our spirit warriors have the ability to imprint.” 

 

Maya was pulling in small breaths down her throat. Her vision was starting to blur from lack of air, she thought, or maybe it was just the panic making her lightheaded.

 

“Im-imprint?” Rish said confused. 

 

“It’s the sacred bond between a wolf warrior and his or her soulmate. The imprint is integral to the warrior’s strength and focus, and is thus an integral part of our tribe’s protection. The imprint comes to the warrior when they need them most and last night...your daughter became an imprint.” Elder Mila said gently. Maya closed and opened her hands trying to stay here in this room. 

 

“I’m sorry.” her mother said after a moment. Maya’s father was silent as he considered this. He was well versed in the legends of the spirit warriors and he seemed to have a better grasp of what was happening than her mother in this moment. “Are you saying that one of Sam’s group thinks my daughter is their soulmate?” 

 

“Not think. Is. Maya is now intricately tied to the history and continuance of this tribe. Being an imprint is honorable and sacred and should be held as such. She will always be protected by her imprinter.” Elder Leo confirmed. 

 

Rish’s mouth hung open in shock as she turned to look up at her daughter, but Maya’s eyes were trained forward, watching Chief Black with a sense of urgency. Even with the explanation, Maya wasn’t sure why she felt this way. 

 

“And who might I ask is this mysterious person who has imprinted on her?” Rish said a little defensively. Maya’s father squeezed Rish’s hand reassuringly. 

 

“Paul Lahote,” Billy Black said as he gestured toward the door. As he did, Paul walked through, a stern and measured look on his face. Maya stared at him and instantly recognized him as the man she had seen the night before. Paul. she thought, the name floating around in her head. He refused to look at her, she noticed. The relief she had read on his face last night was clearly replaced now with what she could only pick up as...irritation? Anger? He came to stand off to the side wall, facing the council. 

 

“This is ridiculous. He’s a grown man! He’s 30! And you’re telling me he’s Maya’s soulmate!?” her mother was getting upset now and rightly so. 

 

“He’s 28,” Sue Clearwater corrected with a gentle smile. To Paul she gave a sympathetic look. Maya was finally able to pull her gaze away from staring at Paul’s profile. 

 

Her breathing evened out and the headache she had felt earlier had ebbed away. By all physical measure, she felt better, but the panic was still there and he wouldn’t look at her. Was that intentional? 

 

“My daughter is 18. Imprint or not, this is inappropriate,” her mother finally says. 

 

“Rish.” 

 

“No Tom!” Rish shoots back at Maya’s father. 

 

“As the imprint, Maya determines the relationship,” Chief Black says gently, “That means that it can be that of a friend, older brother, protector, mentor, or romantic partner if she chooses. The imprinter respects the pace set by the imprint.” 

 

Rish seemed somewhat soothed by this but was still a little uneasy about the whole thing. Maya realized her hands were clenched into fists and she was hyper aware of Paul’s presence across the room. She felt an unconscious pull that was willing her to cross the room and make contact. The ache of it made her uncomfortable and she was almost annoyed that it was causing her physical discomfort to be in this predicament with him. She could tell from his side profile that he held the same look—annoyance that showed he desperately wanted to be anywhere but here. 

 

“I feel like I have to stress, given the circumstances that while this is a little out of the norm,” Chief Black said. Maya internally laughed--what exactly was the norm in this weird circumstance? She was still teetering on if this was even a real thing, “And while Maya determines the characteristics of the imprint relationship, there must be a relationship between them of some kind. It is imperative that they maintain their connection in whatever vein they choose, but ultimately, there must be something.” He said this with a tone of finality in his voice and Maya noticed that his gaze was set on Paul and the look suggested that he has no choice but to cooperate. 

 

Did he not want her as his imprint? Maya was floored and suddenly, that uncomfortable pull inside her transforms into hurt. She wanted to laugh out loud at herself for even caring that he didn’t want her. She didn’t even know him, so what. But still, the pain etched itself into her belly and she tried to keep her face serene and unreadable. When he nods his consent to the request, stone cold, Maya realizes she can’t take anymore. 

 

She turns on her heel and bolts out the front door. The air is thick and the humidity nearly chokes her as she runs as hard as she can up the beach. Her rain boots aren’t really meant for running but she pushes on—she’d deal with the blisters later. 

 

As Maya reaches the curve of the beach that takes her out of sight of the council house, she pauses and bends over with her hands on her knees trying to catch her breath. The skies open up and drip heavy wet drops of rain around her on the sand making satisfying splatting sounds around her. The rain started in earnest now and she was completely drenched. The discomfort and hurt bubbled up in her and she stood up straight, still huffing for air, before she threw her head back and let out a desperate, frustrated scream. Rain dripped down the back of her throat and she pulled off her rain boots, letting her toes dig into the damp sand as she made her way back home. 

 

Her parents beat her home since they drove down to the council house. Maya comes through the front door, leaving her rain boots on the porch, dripping from head to toe. 

 

“Maya?” her mother calls from the kitchen. She quickly swings around the corner, her eyes frantic and then relieved at the sight of her “Goodness, you scared me running off like that. Are you okay?! Let me get you a towel,” she said, noticing the puddle forming around Maya’s feet. 

 

Maya was speechless. She didn’t know what to say or what this even meant for her, she just wanted to douse herself in hot water and crawl into bed. The walk back had done nothing to clear her mind. 

 

Rish was back upon her with a towel, wrapping it gently around her shoulders and rubbing her arms. After a silent moment of communication between them, Rish put her hands on Maya’s cheeks. 

 

“It’s going to be okay, sweetie.” she said softly. Maya so much wanted that to be true, but she had so many questions, none of which she wanted to ask. Rish leaned in and planted a warm kiss to her cold forehead. “This can be a good thing.” she whispered into her hair. Maya still said nothing and when she pushed out of her mom’s arms and climbed the steps, Rish didn’t follow her. 

 

The rain slapped against her window as Maya wrapped herself up in bed after her shower. She didn’t even bother changing into any pajamas, she just opted to stay in her towel, her wet hair sticking to her back. Her gaze was transfixed out the rainy window and the thoughts that had plagued her throughout her shower were back. 

 

She was an imprint. Which meant, if she understood the legends right, that he had some ridiculous claim on her. Imprints were revered in the history of her people but what Maya was hung up on was the fact that all of the imprints in the stories and legends were with their imprinter. As in together, together—marriage, kids, the whole thing. 

 

In all the stories of wolf warriors and their imprints, she didn’t remember a single story that ended with them just being friends. Maya suddenly felt all of the air leave the room at this thought. Her whole life she was hoping to get off this reservation and now...now she didn’t know what the future held. 

 

Would she still be able to leave for college? Would she always be tied to this place physically and this person forever? Why did Paul look so upset when Chief Black told him he must have some kind of contact with her? Was it because she was 18, in high school, and had her whole life ahead of her still? She hoped it was that and not the other insecurity that was plaguing her. 

 

Maya wasn’t sure how long she sat there staring out her bedroom window but at one point, she snapped herself out of it and reached for her phone, determined. She had missed her study date with Jeremy, but unfortunately, she realized that he probably already understood why. 

 

She navigated to her messages with Jeremy and typed a hasty message: Hey, sorry about missing our hangout today...something came up. 

 

Maya didn’t have to wait long for a reply. 

 

Jeremy: No worries. I assumed as much considering the whole imprint thing. How are you feeling? 

 

Maya exhaled a puff of air surprised that he was so open and willing to talk about it. She got the distinct feeling in that room that what the council told her was not public knowledge. But if Jeremy was part of Sam’s group, he probably had a better understanding of what was going on than any of her friends. She hesitated to reply and then said: 

 

Yeah, it’s...weird. I don’t know how to feel. He looked...upset at being there. 

 

J: Who Paul? 

 

M: Yeah… 

 

J: Don’t take it too personal. He was caught off guard last night. I don’t think he thought he would ever imprint. You blindsided him.

 

M: Me blindside him?! Hello! Less than 24 hours ago I still had my freedom, now I have all of this… instant history. 

 

J: LOL. That’s a funny way of putting the imprint “instant history.” I like that. 

 

Maya didn’t know what else to say. She had so many questions but she wasn’t sure if Jeremy was the person to ask these things, but he was kind of all she had at this point. Before she could respond, Jeremy hit her with the double text. 

 

J: So what are you going to do?

 

M: About what?

 

J: Uhhh, the imprint. Everything? 

 

M: It doesn’t really feel like I have choice when it comes to anything any more. Especially the imprint. 

 

J: I think you do have a choice, the way just doesn’t look like it used to. It’s just gonna take some time. I’m here...by the way. 

 

M: Thanks, Jeremy. 

 

She flopped back onto her bed and stared up at the ceiling. What was she going do, indeed. Maya had no clue. After a hot second of panic, she felt her phone buzz aggressively in her hand. When she brought her phone up to her face a voice bellowed on the other end. 

 

“UUUUH WHAT THE FUCK SOMEONE SAID THEY SAW YOU AT THE COUNCIL HOUSE TODAY?! WHAT’S GOING ON?”

 

Keye’s words smashed on top of one another. Maya sighed. 

 

“It’s a mess. Can you get Becks on the line so I don’t have to tell this cluster fuck of a story twice?” Maya said. Might as well bite the bullet on this one. Of everyone on the planet, she knew she could trust her best friends to understand. 

 

“Yeah, hold on one second.” 

 

As Maya waited patiently for Becks to get on the line, she tried to figure out the best way to break the news to them. But when Becks picked up suddenly Maya was at a loss. 

 

“What’s going on?” Becks said worried. Maya groaned and like ripping off a bandaid she said: 

 

“Paul Lahote is my soulmate.” 



Chapter 4: Sunday blues

Chapter Text

Sundays are the saddest of all days. I used to love them though. My dad and I had a long running tradition where we’d go kayaking or hiking or just driving around the rez to spend time together. That kind of ended when I started high school though. My Sundays were swallowed with endless homework, community commitments or school events. Nothing good ever happens on a Sunday anymore. 

 




Maya knew things were off when she slept most of Saturday day and into Saturday night. The rain helped but she had no desire to do her homework, let alone pull herself out of bed. Maybe it was getting drenched and the subsequent shock of the day, but she was still trying to come to terms with everything.

 

Keye and Becks had been exceptionally supportive as she knew they would be. 

 

“What the actual fuck. That’s completely...I have no idea what to say My.” Becks said after Maya had told them about the council meeting, the imprint, and how she had felt which solidified that this might actually be real. 

 

“It’s fucking creepy is what it is. What are you some child bride?! I can’t believe the council supports this. You remember Tiff Turkey?” Keye said hurriedly. She’d been a blast of chaotic energy throughout the whole conversation. 

 

“Thats not her name Keye,” Maya said, her voice monotone. 

 

“It is her fucking name, she thinks she slick, I know what she was doing in that utility closet with Kyle Corning during the spring fling. That girl got basted like a turkey!” Keye retorted. Maya covered her eyes with her hand, still in her towel from the shower. 

 

“Didn’t you let Hurley Chast motorboat you in that utility closet sophmore year?” Becks said nonchalantly. Maya let out a laugh. She was grateful for the distraction. 

 

That’s not the POINT! The point is, Tiff Turkey saw those guys roughing up some weird dudes outside of town. They were at that grungy nightclub we’ve always wanted to go to. These guys were very sketchy. Sam and his disciples showed up out of nowhere and hassled them out of there quick! Tiff said she got a mega weird vibe from Sam and his crew.” Keye concluded. 

 

“What’s your point again?” Maya said suddenly after a brief pause. 

 

“That they’re WEIRD, okay?! You can’t be caught up in weird shit. You’re going IVY LEAGUE BABE. What if it’s actually a gang?! This imprinting thing sounds like some backwards Caligula nonsense.”

 

“Oh gross,” Becks said, making a joking gag noise. “Keye, don’t freak her out. That’s not what this is. From what I remember from the stories, the imprint is just supposed to be a bond thing. Gives the warriors purpose and incentive to protect the tribe. Ties them more closely to the land and calls them home, like in the hunter/gatherer days.”

 

“What...does that have to do with me now? We’re way past hunting and gathering, so what, I’m just randomly tied to this guy I don’t know for life? Also, can we please talk about the fact that none of the imprints in our legends are just friends with their imprinters?!” 

 

“Yeah, that’s a tough one. They do always end up together...” Becks said calmly. 

 

“You need to skip fucking town. Can you like graduate early and just go move to wherever the fuck and lay low for a while? You’re technically 18 so...” Keye said, she was starting to sound frantic. She had a point—Maya was legally allowed to leave but she wasn’t going to run. Why should she? This was her town too. 

 

“Ha! Like my parents would ever let that happen. And anyway, that’s not even an option. Chief Black said we have to have some kind of relationship. Full stop. And Paul looked pissed about it.” Maya paused and then said softly, “Do you think I’m the first imprint in history to have their imprinter not like them?” 

 

“Impossible, you’re adorable.” Keye said quickly. 

 

“Yeah, I don’t think it works like that Maya. The whole point of the imprint is that you’re soulmates right? And you said you have like this...physical reaction to him that’s not lust, it’s something else right? That’s gotta mean he feels that too. There’s no way it’s one sided.” 

 

“Unless he’s fighting it.” Maya said. She groaned again and rolled over. Why did she even care?! If he didn’t like her that made her getting out easier. Maybe it was the imprint or maybe it was the fact that she was thrilled at the thought that someone liked her like that and she’d never felt like this before, but she wanted him to like her at least a little bit. Maybe then whatever this weight was in her stomach would go away and she could breathe easier again. 

 

“Just...feel it out. Give it a chance and maybe it won’t be as bad as you’re thinking.” Becks said reassuringly. Keye snorted in rebuttal. 

 

“Yeah, the super buff, hot guy in his twenties who probably wants to impregnate you if you gave him the chance might not be so bad.” Keye joked. Becks started in on Keye again but Maya had a sinking feeling in her stomach that what Keye said might be closer to the truth than she wanted. 

 


 

Maya had spent the rest of Saturday locked in her room and vacillating between working on her English paper and Physics homework and getting up to pace her room. Her mother knocked on her bedroom door intermittently to check on her, but each time Maya proclaimed that she was fine and just working. 

 

That night's sleep was fitful and the wolf was back again. It was starting to feel like a nagging presence and this time in her dream, Maya took a step forward. The wolf’s eyes were trained on her feet at the movement and she wondered if it might attack her, but it stood there waiting. 

 

Sunday morning, Maya made her way downstairs for some coffee and breakfast. Her parents were wary around her but seemed generally recovered from yesterday’s news. Tom, Maya’s dad, was chipper and asked Maya if she wanted to help him clear out his shed today. The day was cold and bright, but Maya still needed to finish her paper, so she excused herself after breakfast, intent on getting it done. Her mother gave her a knowing look as she went and heard Rish mumble something to her dad as she ascended the steps to her room.  

 

Throughout the morning, Maya’s phone buzzed annoyingly. Some were from Becks and Keye checking in, but mostly the same bothersome number that kept popping up was Jeremy’s. The preview of messages on her lock screen filtered in over the next few hours from him: 

 

Jeremy: Sundays, right? Aha...how are you holding up? 

 

J: You take AP Spanish right? Como se…

 

J: Did you hear that Tara got into UW? 

 

J: Sorry, you’re probably still waiting on letters…

 

J: Where did you apply to again? 

 

J: Are you okay? I don’t want to bug…

 

J: After sending that I realized I probably am bugging you…

 

J: We could meet up to study if you…

 

J: Give me a call if you want to talk or go over the answers to

 

After the tenth text message, Maya switched her phone to silent so she could work without the constant buzzing and lighting up of her phone. 

 

Shortly after noon, Maya got up to take a break, grab some water and go to the bathroom. Her mom was in the kitchen seasoning steaks. 

 

“Woah, fancy.” Maya said absently referring to the steaks. 

 

“Seemed like a good time for it,” her mom shrugged and Maya nodded, grabbing a water bottle from the fridge and making her exit. 

 

As she took a swig of her water bottle, holding the feeling of water in her mouth for a minute before she pushed open her bedroom door, she had the sharp feeling of tension buzz through her head. It was kind of like that feeling you get when you know someone is standing behind you and you’re preparing yourself to not be startled by it. Maya hesitated and then pushed her door open quickly to see a handsome face peering into her second story bedroom window. 

 

Immediately, Maya spit out her water. No amount of preparation could have anticipated this. She looked behind her down the empty hallway and then quickly shut her door before darting to the closed window and wrenching it open. 

 

“Jeremy, what the FUCK are you doing?!” Maya said in a shocked whisper. He gave her a lopsided grin and pulled his body through the open window with a light grunt. 

 

“Thanks,” he said, getting his bearings in her room. He looked around curious, clearly not understanding why Maya was so shocked by his sudden presence. 

 

“How the hell did you get up here!?” She glanced out the window and saw there was no ladder that her dad stored out in the shed propped against the side of the house. 

 

“I do parkour, it’s not that hard,” he said, now moving around her room without permission. She suddenly realized he was shirtless. 

 

“Jeremy, what the hell are you doing here? And where the fuck is your shirt?” 

 

“Jeez, touchy.” he said, crossing his arms over his chest. 

 

“Aren’t you freezing? I have a hoodie I think that would fit you, hold on,” she said, turning to her closet. The shock was wearing off and Maya was switching into polite caretaker—another trait her parents had hammered into her. 

 

“Nah, I’m fine, really.” he said sitting on the edge of her bed now. Maya was a little perturbed at how naturally comfortable he was in her room. “Why haven’t you been answering my texts?” he said, sounding a little put out. 

 

“What?” Maya said. 

 

“My texts, I’ve been trying to talk to you,” he said. Maya rolled her eyes and then, ever aware of being rude she shrugged her shoulders. 

 

“I’m working and my phone’s on silent. I’m sorry. Was there something important?” She almost turned to grab her phone and check. 

 

“Just….wanted to see how you were,” he said. Maya raised an eyebrow at him. 

 

“What’s going on?” she said finally. 

 

“Nothings going on, I’m just...trying to be a friend,” he said. He wouldn’t meet her eyes and Maya had the distinct feeling that he wasn’t telling the whole truth. She crossed her arms and narrowed her eyes. 

 

“Jeremy...No offense but we’ve had very minimal contact until this imprint thing happened and you became one of Sam’s crew. So fess up, what aren’t you telling me?” 

 

“I’m not not telling you anything,” he said, and then gave her a sly grin which he quickly wiped off his face when he saw the angry one of Maya’s. 

 

“I swear to god, Jeremy. I will scream and get your ass kicked out of here so quick.” 

 

“Okay, okay. Jeez, chill. I’ve been asked to...to check on you. As a...favor,” he stumbled over the word ‘favor’ as if it didn’t quite fit what he was describing. Maya stared at him confused for a moment and then realization dawned on her. 

 

“Oh my god, it’s him isn’t it? He asked you to check on me?!” When Jeremy didn’t respond Maya let out a harsh laugh. “This is just great.” Why was he checking on her? This made absolutely no sense. Yesterday, he wouldn’t even look at her and now he has Jeremy doing his bidding for him? “Well, what are you going to tell him then?” 

 

Jeremy took a moment to choose his words carefully and then said, nonchalantly, “That I checked and you seemed fine, and that you’re bad at answering text messages.” 

 

Fine, he wanted to spy so would she. Maya sat down at her desk and swiveled her chair to face Jeremy. 

 

“What’s his deal anyway?” 

 

“What do you mean?” Jeremy said as he hopped up off her bed and resumed his look around her room. Maya pulled her knees up close to her chest and let her eyes follow him. 

 

“Paul,” she said his name slowly, just feeling his name in her mouth gave her a weird sensation, “He seems...mad about all of this. You said it was because he thought he’d never imprint?” 

 

“Yeah, I mean imprinting isn’t supposed to be that common apparently. But we’ve also never had a pack this big before, so it makes sense that more of us would, I guess.” Pack? That was a weird way to refer to their group, she thought. “Paul just thought that since he made it this far without imprinting that maybe it just wasn’t in the cards for him. And then you happened and he’s just kind of been...off since then.” 

 

“Off?” Maya said. Jeremy pulled a book off of her shelf. 

 

“Yeah, like distracted, snaps a lot. I mean he was kind of a hot head before, but you can tell he’s stressed and he loses it a bit more.” Jeremy suddenly stopped and turned to face her. Maya swallowed hard. “Don’t take that the wrong way, he’s a good guy.” 

 

“A good guy,” Maya was tempted to roll her eyes again, “Great. What else?” 

 

“What else...uhhh, I don’t know what do you want to know?” 

 

“How long has he been in Sam’s group? What does he do? Who does he hang out with? What’s he like?” Maya couldn’t help but let the questions spill out of her. They’d been plaguing her all night and Jeremy seemed up to offering some answers. 

 

“Ahhh, shouldn’t you ask him that yourself?” he said skeptically. 

 

“You think he’d talk to me right now?” she retorted, annoyed. 

 

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” he replied. She knew that was coming but it still kind of hurt. “Let’s see...he’s been in Sam’s group for awhile, since he was 17 I think? So 11 years. Long time. Uhh, he doesn’t really hang out with anyone outside of the pack, seems kind of a lone wolf,” he smirked at this, like he was laughing at an inside joke. “And what was your other question? What’s he like? He’s…” Jeremy looked at Maya carefully, “I don’t know Maya, he’s Paul. My interaction with him is definitely different than what it’s supposed to be with an imprint. He’s kind of a jerk? But also super loyal and takes protection very seriously. I’ve only been hanging out with the guy for a month so it’s not like I know him that well,” Jeremy skirted. Maya’s palms were sweating nervously. 

 

She was having a hard time catching her breath again and Jeremy noticed. 

 

“Oh jeez, Maya, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you. He really is good and he’ll come around. I just wanted to make sure you were okay—he wanted to make sure you were okay….Ah,” he looked out her window suddenly as if he heard a call coming from outside. “Listen, I have to go, but please just text me if you need anything.” 

 

Before Maya could say anything else, Jeremy was hopping out of her window. She let out a startled cry and rushed to the window, sticking her head out to see Jeremy land softly from the drop and jog off around the side of the house. 

 

Her gaze lifted to look out over the bay that backed her house. The cold wind whipped at her face and Maya found that her brain was stuck on one thing that Jeremy had said. 

 

He’s kind of a jerk

 

Paul was a jerk? Her soulmate was a jerk? Great.. 


The evening was quickly encroaching on Maya’s study time. She finally wrapped her paper just before dinner and went to wash her face. Since she had practically been wearing the same outfit since yesterday, Maya changed into a light pink sweater, her white bralette peeked out of the deep V of the neck line. She pulled on some heather grey soft sleep shorts and brushed her hair out before fixing it up in a high ponytail. Her hair was so heavy that it gave her headaches. She toyed with the idea of cutting it short like Becks’ but hadn’t mustered the courage yet. 

 

Just as she finished putting some face lotion on in her bathroom mirror, Maya heard the doorbell ring. They rarely had people show up at the house unannounced, let alone on a Sunday. Maya ignored it and smoothed some nourishing oil across her cheeks that made her soft brown skin glow in the light. 

 

“Maya!” her mom called from downstairs. “Can you get the door please?” Maya fixed the cap on her oil and shuffled out of the bathroom and down the stairs to the front door. 

 

“Got it!” she called over her shoulder as she pulled the door open. The cold air rushed over her exposed legs but Maya immediately burned hot from the visitor standing on her doorstep. 

 

Paul Lahote stood towering on her porch. He was wearing a dark blue t-shirt and dark wash jeans with shiny brown shoes. He had pushed his shaggy black ink hair back away from his face and the stubble she saw yesterday was clean shaven away. His eyes instantly connected with hers and Maya felt her heart fall clean through her. This was the closest she’d ever been to him and her eyes moved from his eyes to roam around his body, taking in the large sinewy arms, broad shoulders, and wide hands. His skin was a warm shade of red brown, like he’s out in the sun a lot. Her eyes rested on the line of his mouth, his lips looked soft and full and Maya felt a rush pull through before she instantly snapped back to the present and got a hold of herself. 

 

“What are you doing here?” she breathed. His mouth parted slightly as if to respond. His eyes had never left her even as she had stolen a glance to take him all in, but before he could respond, Maya’s mom was behind her at the door with a smile on her face. 

 

“He’s here for dinner. Paul welcome! Thank you for joining us,” Maya was speechless, her mouth hung open in shock. “Maya move please, let Paul in, it’s freezing.” For the second time in less than a minute Maya had to get a grip. She turned sideways and pressed her body against the doorframe so Paul could come in. 

 

“Thanks,” his voice was low and soft and he gave Rish a warm smile. She pulled him back toward their dining room. Maya stood frozen in the doorway as the icy wind licked at her legs. She looked down suddenly, mortified at what she was wearing and before she could run upstairs to change she had a change of heart. 

 

Why should she care what she looked like? She wasn’t trying to reel him in, get him to like her. It seemed like he pretty much already made his mind up about her anyway. Maya decided to use this unwanted intrusion to figure out if he really was a jerk and hopefully, get some answers. 

 

She closed the door and padded toward the kitchen. 

 

“Maya, can you please bring the pitcher of water to the table? Please please sit!” her mom continued to Paul in their dining room. Maya saw her father coming in from the back with steaks in hand. He wore a smile and seemed genuinely pleased to see Paul. She pulled the pitcher of water from the fridge and gave a great sigh, steeling herself to be in front of him again and walked into the dining room. 

 

As she emerged from the kitchen she noticed Paul immediately looked at her but just as quickly he fitted his gaze back to her mother. She felt that familiar magnetized pull in her body toward him and wondered for a second if he felt it too. Setting the pitcher down, she hesitated to choose a seat. Should she sit across from him? That would offer the most physical distance but she was more likely to catch his eye that way. If she sat off to the side of him, it might look like she was trying to be close to him which he clearly didn’t want. 

 

God, shut up, just sit down, her brain shouted at her. Why was she overthinking this?! 

 

“Maya, sit here.” Her mom pulled out a chair next to Paul and the decision was made for her. Her father set the steaks down in the center and he sat at the head of the table across from Paul after shaking his hand and exchanging pleasantries. Her mother was chattering away about council stuff at Paul that Maya didn’t even know if he cared or knew about. She sunk into the chair next to him and out of the corner of her eye saw him shift in his seat positioning his body ever so slightly away from her. 

 

Maya internally groaned and the weirdest dinner ever ensued. 

 

“So, Paul what do you do for work?” Her father asked in between bites of steak. They’d already blown through a host of topics including where Paul lived (just at the edge of the reservation close to the beach on Red River Road), if he had any family left in the area (he didn’t), what he did in Sam’s group (neighborhood watch stuff and mentoring), and if he enjoyed the bonfire gathering (he did, very much). 

 

“I’m a private contractor...carpentry mostly. I do work in the area but most of my clientele is in the greater Seattle area,” he said. 

 

“You’re being modest, Sue says your work is very sought after.” Her mother interjected. So she was doing reconnaissance as well, Maya thought. To this though, Paul simply shrugged and said:

 

“It pays the bills.” Her father chuckled and nodded, silently commiserating. Paul glanced sideways at Maya. He seemed to be trying to read her expression, but Maya kept her face smooth, feeling his eyes on her as she pushed the broccoli around on her plate. 

 

“Maya, can you refill the pitcher please?” Her mother asked. Maya stood immediately and leaned across the table to grab the pitcher. Paul cleared his throat and averted his eyes. As she left for the kitchen she heard her mother continue, 

 

“We’re so proud of Maya, she’s got big college plans and the start to this year has already been stressful what with school and waiting for her acceptances  and the..uhh imprint. Everything’s an adjustment, but we’re just so hopeful for the future.” Maya rolled her eyes as she slowly filled the pitcher at the sink—leave it to her mother to brag. 

 

“The council seemed pretty proud of her at the bonfire.” he replied. She could just see the light shining out of her mother’s face now. 

 

“Oh yes, the first ivy hopeful for our community. It’s a big deal,” her mother said. 

 

“We want those things for her.” Her dad suddenly interjected and Maya’s eyes went wide. Oh god. There was a clear awkward pause. Should she make a run for it now? 

 

“I do too,” she heard Paul say firmly. 

 

“Good,” her father replied. Maya’s mother quickly changed the subject as Maya came back into the room. Paul’s eyes flickered to her again when she re-entered as if he couldn’t help himself. 

 

By the end of the night, her parents seemed to love him. 

 

“I’ll walk you out.” Maya says, resigned. She hadn’t said a word all night. Paul's eyes were instantly drawn to the sound of her voice. After a handshake with her father and a wave to her mother, Maya led Paul down the hallway to the front door. She pulled it open and he quickly exited. Maya followed him over the threshold and left the door slightly ajar. She crossed her arms in front of her body instantly cold in the frosty January night. 

 

“Thanks for coming, I guess.” she said, letting her eyes rest on his now. Her body relaxed the tension it had been holding in a great exhale. Can someone be simultaneously tense and relaxed? 

 

“Something tells me you didn’t know I would be coming by,” he said gently. He was careful to look nowhere else but her eyes. 

 

Maya shook her head, pursing her lips. 

 

“Sorry about that,” he tried. Maya shrugged. 

 

“It’s fine.” His eyes looked around her face now and Maya had the feeling that he was trying to read her again, or maybe buying time. Her body ached to get closer, the cold was causing goosebumps to ripple down her body and her lip trembled slightly from the cold. 

 

“I’ll see you soon,” he promised, backing down the stairs before turning toward his forerunner. Maya watched him go, holding herself in place on the porch even though she was freezing. When he turned on the headlights, the bright light washed over her body, lighting her up. She could just see him beyond the windshield. He was staring at her intensely, a look of fire in his eyes as he gripped the steering wheel. 

 

Maya sucked in a quick breath of air and for a beat they stared at each other. Then, he flipped into reverse and quickly pulled down and out of the drive.

 

What the fuck.




Chapter 5: Fortune favors the audacious

Chapter Text

I’ve never given much thought to what having my first boyfriend would be like. Keye always seemed to be in and out of relationships, but she said it felt like stepping out of an overly air conditioned grocery store out into the hot summer sun—a welcomed shock. And the first time you know they like you back that way it’s like a pang of sour patch hitting your tongue, acid and sweet. I wonder if it would be like that for me too. 


After the dinner with Paul and her family, Maya resigned herself to another night of restless sleep, but surprisingly, when her head hit the pillow shortly after 11 p.m., she dozed off and didn’t wake until her alarm went off that morning. 

 

The gloom of Monday was exaggerated by the low hanging clouds, rolling fog across the beach, and the spit of rain that turned off and on like a faucet. Maya got ready for school quickly wanting to get there early to read over her paper before her first period English class. 

 

She fluffed her hair with some dry shampoo and rubbed in some oil to the ends. Not wanting to look too overzealous on a Monday, she pulled on some dark skinny jeans, a black v-neck t-shirt and her loose fitted green flannel, paired with her black doc marten boots. She wound a trio of gold necklaces her mother had gifted her for her 15th birthday around her neck and dotted some tinted chapstick over her pouted lips. 

 

Down in the kitchen, her mother was still in her nightgown and robe scrolling through her phone and reading the news. 

 

“You’re up early,” Rish noted sipping her coffee. Maya pulled her lunch out of the fridge and stuffed it into her backpack before grabbing a banana and walking over to the kitchen table. She took the mug of coffee from her mother’s hand and took a swig. 

 

“Need to proofread this morning,” Maya said. 

 

“Okay, well have a good day. And consider getting in touch with Paul this week,” her mother said as Maya walked down the hall. 

 

“I don’t have his number, but thanks!” Maya called out, ripping over the front door and donning her dark blue rain jacket. 

 

“Love you!” her mom called. 

 

“Try not to marry me off as a child bride while I’m at school,” Maya called back before closing the door a little too hard. She bolted up the driveway, not wanting to hang around for her mother to come after her and scold her for slamming the door so early in the morning. 

 

Maya enjoyed the 15 minute walk to school, the light drizzle felt like mist on her face. After mulling over what her mom said to her this morning for far too long, Maya came to the conclusion that her mother most likely had acquired Paul’s phone number herself, either by asking him or asking one of the council members. Rish was always resourceful, but still, Maya was thrown off a little by how quickly her mom flipped from “Not my baby!” to “Oh yes, take my baby.” Did she really want the community clout that bad? Having Maya be in a relationship with a member of Sam’s group was definitely considered a “respectable” thing but she didn’t see other mothers on the rez throwing their daughters or son in Sam’s member’s path to see if they could be imprinted on. Maybe they just didn’t know the extent at which the legends might be true…

 

Keye and Becks found Maya tucked away in the corner of the library pouring over her paper. 

 

“Hey!” Becks said to get Maya’s attention. She looked up and gave them a warm smile. “You never called me back last night.” 

 

“Oh yeah…” Maya paused. She hadn’t even had time to tell them what had happened the night before, “So get this...Paul shows up for dinner at my place last night.”

 

“WHAT!” Keye says a little too loud. The librarian looks in their direction and Keye’s eyes go wide as she listens. She lowers her voice to a whisper, “Are you fucking kidding me?! He just shows up?” 

 

“Oh god, you know Rish organized it, she just failed to tell me. I should have known when I saw her prepping the steaks that afternoon that something was happening. We never have steak,” Maya muttered slipping her paper into her English folder. “Anyway, I barely got in a word all night and my parents are basically in love with him.” She let out a sigh. 

 

“Are you okay?” Becks said gently, putting a hand on her arm. Maya considered that for a moment. 

 

“I mean, yes? And no? I have no idea what to do here. He said ‘I’ll see you soon’. Like what the hell does that mean?” 

 

“That...that he might see you soon?” Keye muttered. Maya rolled her eyes. 

 

“And then, this morning, my mom was like ‘Oh you should get in touch with Paul this week, teehee have a good day!’” Maya let out a groan. 

 

“Jesus, your mother is literally ready to sell you to this dude.” Keye said. Becks made a face. 

 

“She is a bit eager,” Becks conceded after Maya probed her with a look. 

 

“She just wants to stay in good graces with the council. And my pairing with Paul is a big boost to our status. Ugh, can we just..not talk about this for awhile? I need to feel normal,” Maya complained. 

 

“Absolutely!” Becks said. 

 

“Yeah fuck that dude!” Keye said a little too loudly. 

 

“Keye Mesoon!” Ms. Tolly, the librarian was at their table now. “If I hear another foul word come out of your mouth, I’m sending you to the office.” Keye shrunk in her chair and Ms. Tolly left them. 

 

“Fuuuuuck,” Keye mouthed and Maya and Becks descended into a fit of giggles. 

 

Maya’s first three classes passed without incident but during her passing period between third and fourth, while she was switching out books in her locker, Jeremy appeared. 

 

“Hey,” he said, leaning on the lockers and giving her that crushing smile that could make any girl melt—well almost any girl. 

 

“Hey,” Maya said, giving him a short smile before slamming her locker shut and turning away from him up the hallway. She wasn’t interested in small talk, considering Jeremy had dropped too many bombs on her this weekend. 

 

For a minute, she was relieved thinking he got the hint and wouldn’t follow her, but he jogged to catch up and slung his arm around her shoulder as if he’d been doing it for years. Startled, Maya tried to dip out of his embrace. 

 

“What do you think you’re doing?” she said, very annoyed. Her eyes flashed and Jeremy couldn’t help but look a little amused. Cute, he thought. 

 

“Come on, it’s a favor for Paul.” 

 

“Another favor? Look, no offense, but I’ve had enough of you doing things on his behalf. So, if you’ll excuse me,” she turned on her heel and headed in the direction of her AP World history classroom. He jogged after her, but this time didn’t try to touch her. 

 

“I get it, we don’t know each other that well and this is kind of weird. But really, I’m just doing what’s asked of me and I kind of don’t have a choice,” he said, still grinning.

 

“So Paul asked you to...what? Stalk me at school?” Maya’s irritation was growing.

 

“Not really, he just doesn’t want people bothering you.” Jeremy seemed totally unaffected by Maya’s heat. He was enjoying it. 

 

“By people, you mean guys right?” she looked at him with a sideways glance. One that was laced with pure venom. Jeremy shrugged.

 

“Don’t tell me you wouldn’t appreciate not being hassled everyday. Since the second grade, all I’ve seen are dudes trying to ask you on a date or make you their girlfriend nonstop. That’s gotta get old.” He retorted and gave her a knowing smile. 

 

“Yourself included.” She spat back before turning the corner and reaching her class. Before she opened the door, he grabbed the handle and said: 

 

“Look, I’ll try to keep us low on the radar, just...please work with me. You’d be doing me a favor,” he pulled open the door for her and before she walked through it, she said with a sickly sweet smile on her face: 

 

“If you had a nickel for all the favors you give and get, you’d be rich, Jer.” He brightened at the shortened nickname she gave him. Maya didn’t notice and beelined it for her desk. He hung around in the doorway for a minute, giving her a twinkling smile before the bell rang, alerting him to his next class. 

 

As soon as the bell rang dismissing her for lunch, Maya shot up out of her chair and hustled for the door hoping to avoid Jeremy. But he was quick and knew she’d try to bolt. He called her name as he jogged after her down the hallway: 

 

“Maya! Wait up!” Once he caught up with her, he slung his arm around her shoulder again and Maya outwardly groaned. She knew it was pointless though. The new Jeremy was very persistent and under very specific orders from her imprinter and Maya just did not have it in her to fight it right now. 

 

“Walk you to lunch?” he said conspiratorially. Maya let out a huff of air and nodded. 

 

“I need to grab my lunch from my locker first.” They made their way back to Maya’s locker and she couldn’t help but notice the stares they were pulling from everyone in the hallways. Whispers were sprouting up behind them and she pretended not to hear them. Jeremy seemed unphased and waved to a friend of his as they walked past, his large, bulky arm still resting across her shoulders. 

 

Once they enter the lunchroom, things really started to escalate. Maya had a sickening moment where she felt the eyes of the entire lunchroom on her. Becks and Keye stared at her from their table by the window filled with shock and confusion. Jeremy was relishing in the moment, but Maya successfully slipped out from under his hold and quickly made her way across the cafeteria to her friends. Once slumped down in a seat, the hum of the cafeteria returned and she felt a little more at ease.. 

 

“What….the…” Keye started by Maya shushed her. Jeremy tucked in next to her, turning out to talk to his friends at another table. After a cool 15 minutes of Becks and Keye talking hurriedly under their breath and Maya shaking her head and giving them warning looks, Jeremy finally turned to face the table and greeted Becks and Keye properly. 

 

“Ladies.” Keye was about to burst into laughter and Becks sat there speechless. Jeremy bumped his shoulder into Maya who gave him wide eyed look. To this he said softly. “Hey, give me your phone really quick.” 

 

“What why?” 

 

“Do you notice how things go a lot smoother if you just kind of play along?” he challenged. Maya sat up straighter. 

 

“Actually no, if you haven’t noticed Jeremy, everyone here is looking at us. It’s like I have a fucking raging cat on my head, so no, going with your flow is not really working out for me.” 

 

Jeremy paused while watching her, that same amused twinkle in his eye. It’s infuriating, Maya wants to pinch him or slap him or dump her water cup over his head. 

 

“Please?” he said again. Maya let out a frustrated noise hidden under her breath and dug in her bag to hand him the phone. “Can you unlock it?” Maya gave him another venomous smile and typed in her code before handing it back to him. Keye and Becks were absolutely floored by the exchange. 

 

“Maya, what the fuck,” Keye said but Maya just responded with a quick “Don’t ask” and returned  to eating her sandwich. Jeremy punched in something on her phone and then after a few seconds handed it back to her. 

 

“Do I even want to know what you just did?” Maya asked as she looked at her phone warily. 

 

“Probably turned on your location so he can stalk you properly,” Becks said, spearing her broccoli. 

 

“For your information, I just put Paul’s number in your phone,” he said. “Oh hey man!” a friend of his walked by and he high fived him. Maya’s jaw dropped. She quickly opened her contacts and typed in his name. Paul Lahote was listed there now, casual, as if he’d always been a name in her phone. “I gave him your number already... so.” 

 

“You did? When?!” Maya asked. 

 

“Uhhh, Saturday? Hope that’s okay,” he said, looking at her now with the least apologetic face Maya had ever seen. 

 

“And if I said it wasn’t okay, would you go back to him and delete my number from his phone?” 

 

“Uhh, no probably not. He’d also probably rip my head off,” Jeremy said nonchalantly. “Are you gonna finish that?” he motioned to Maya’s bag of chips and she pushed them toward him, suddenly losing her appetite. 

 

The rest of the day, Maya was sour. Jeremy was glued to her side during every passing period and Keye and Becks were frantically texting her to figure out what the hell was going on. But Maya didn’t have an answer for them other than Paul asked Jeremy to keep an eye on her at school to make sure no one bothered her. But why would anyone bother her? He didn’t even know her and if he did, he would know that Maya wasn’t the type of girl to just let guys hassle her and hang all over her. Jeremy was the first one to do that, confident in his ability to do so because he was operating on special orders from Paul. What a mess, she thought. 

 

Jeremy insisted on driving her home as they got out of school. Maya briefly thought about making a run for it, just to get some peace and quiet. She was really hoping the walk home would help her clear her head but instead she was being corralled into Jeremy’s jeep. After realizing that she probably couldn’t outrun him, she climbed into the passenger side ducking out of sight of the wandering eyes that had followed her and Jeremy down the halls all day. 

 

When he dropped her off, she gave him a gentle wave. 

 

He rolled down the passenger window and leaned over the center console, “Hey Maya.” She turned around, her face pulled down in a tired grimace. “I really am sorry about this. I get that this is kind of annoying, but...I promise you I will do my best to make this as painless as possible,” he had a sad smile fitted to his face and Maya suddenly felt guilty for being so rude to him today. 

 

“I know Jer, I’m sorry. This is all just kind of weird. I get it. It really wasn’t that bad, I just…” she trailed off not sure what to say. He nodded not needing her to finish and she was grateful. “Thanks for the ride,” she said. 

 

“I’ll pick you up in the morning,” he said confidently before backing out of her driveway. Maya stifled the sick, sinking feeling in her stomach. It wasn’t that she didn’t like Jeremy, it was just that she was used to a certain amount of independence and now...it felt like the walls were closing in. 

 

As she entered her house her mom bustled down the hallway. “Who was that?” she said, clearly excited. 

 

“Jeremy Treever,” Maya answered in a monotone voice and hung her raincoat up. 

 

“Oh,” Rish’s face dropped in disappointment. It took everything in Maya not to roll her eyes as she made her way up the stairs. 

 

Tucked away in her room, Maya sat on her bed with her Physics textbook and notebook open in front of her. But instead of working on her massive amount of homework, she stared at the newly added contact in her phone. 

 

Maya had half a mind to text him and drag him for all of these so called favors. But something in her kept that bubbling anger at bay and instead, she opened a blank text message to him, her fingers poised over the keypad. She didn’t know how many times she wrote and rewrote a new message to him, but by midnight, she hadn’t sent anything and Maya had passed out on top of her textbooks still open to the blank message. 

 

The rest of the week went by excruciatingly slow. Maya was getting used to having Jeremy around a lot more, in fact, she was kind of starting to enjoy his company. He was funny and fit in well with her friends. Becks and Keye, now caught up to speed with the latest Paul incident, were quick to bring Jeremy into the fold, mostly to help Maya feel comfortable but also to weasel some information out of him if they could. Jeremy was pretty good at holding them off though. 

 

“So do you guys like sit in a circle and cut open your wrists and make a blood pact over a dark flame?” Keye said in a mock spooky voice. Jeremy let out a laugh. 

 

“No, that would be kind of sick. We do have these matching tattoos though,” he pulled up his left sleeve to show off the intricate circular tattoo that covered most of his upper arm. 

 

“Awww, we wanted to get matching tattoos too,” Becks wore a sweet face. Maya laughed, poking her fork into her mashed potatoes. It was finally Friday and Maya was amazed at how quickly they’d all become fast friends. Jeremy was sitting close to her and would lean around the back of her to talk to his buddies at another table. When Maya told him it would be okay if he wanted to sit with his friends during lunch he leaned in and whispered low, “Can’t, I’m working,” before giving her a secret wink. 

 

Maya blushed and then felt ridiculous. She flipped her phone over on the table checking it again for the tenth time during lunch. 

 

“You waiting for a call?” Becks said. Maya snapped her eyes up, suddenly caught and then shoved her phone in her bag, shaking her head quickly.

 

“No, no..just watching the time. Don’t want to be late for Econ.” Becks didn’t buy it and Jeremy was watching her carefully. 

 

During their passing period, once Keye and Becks peeled off into their classrooms, Jeremy gently touched her lower back and said out of the blue: 

 

“He’ll reach out, don’t worry.” Shocked, Maya looked up at him and then tried to fix her face into an indifferent look. 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” she said, aloof. Jeremy let out a snort of air through his nose and gave her that same twinkling lopsided grin. 

 

“Yeah, okay.” he said as they walked down the hall toward Maya’s econ class. He held the door open for her and as she walked through she gave him a small “thanks” and he nodded, as if to say ‘Job well done.’ 

 




Saturday morning, Maya was up early helping her mom in the kitchen. Every week her mom tried to cook and extra meal for an elder or member on the reservation who needed it. Maya was helping her make an extra batch of vegetarian casserole when she felt her phone buzz in the back pocket of her jeans. She finished cutting up the peppers and rinsed her hands before pulling her phone open. She nearly dropped it in the sink when she saw the name flash across the screen. 

 

Text Message from Paul Lahote. 

 

Maya quickly opened the message, her heart thrumming. 

 

P: Hey, Maya. It’s Paul Lahote.

 

Groundbreaking. Maya almost laughed at this. Her fingers hovered over the keys but before she could type something, the familiar three dots popped up on the screen, indicating Paul was typing. She watched transfixed. 

 

P: I was wondering if you might want to go on a hike with me today? 

 

A hike? Interesting choice. 

 

M: Hey Paul, I knew it was you. Jeremy stored your number in my phone. A hike sounds good. What time were you thinking? 

 

Maya didn’t know if she was excited or positively dreading going on this outing with him. Paul responded quickly, clearly not interested in leaving her hanging. 

 

P: Great! I’ll come by and pick you up around 1 if that’s okay?

 

M: I’ll be ready.

 

Maya closed her phone and shoved in her back pocket resuming her duties in the kitchen. Her mother hadn’t noticed. She was watching the small television propped up on some old cookbooks on the counter as Julia Child folded a pastry carefully over some filling in a pie dish. 

 

Maya cleared her throat and resumed her cutting. “Uh, mom?” 

 

“Hmm?” she said in between her stirring and sauteeing in the pan at the stove. 

 

“Paul asked if he could take me on a hike today around 1. Is that okay?” Maya kept her voice calm. She distinctly heard the clatter of the metal spoon on the stove and then a quick recovery. 

 

“Of course!” her mother trilled, completely elated. Maya was annoyed at this. Her mother was far too eager for this imprinting thing to take hold. It made Maya even more determined to make sure that her and Paul remained friends. 

 

She had made this decision one night after school this past week that no matter what, Maya would make it clear that the relationship she wanted to have with her imprinter was that of just friends. The decision was made partly because Maya couldn’t fathom being in a relationship with someone she barely knew but also, she had big plans. She wasn’t going to let any weird old bond get in the way of her chances of attending an ivy league school if she got in. Paul had told her dad that Maya getting what she wanted in terms of school was important to him too. She would make sure of that in her meeting with him and set the tone early on. 

 

Maya Sunriviere and Paul Lahote were destined to be just friends if she had anything to say about it. 

 




“I’m leaving!” Maya called from the front door as she laced up her hiking boots. She had braided her thick black hair into two french braids and pulled on some high waisted black leggings, a white long sleeved loose cotton blouse with light brown buttons up the front that she tied up around her waist. Over that she donned her trusty dark blue raincoat and grabbed some wool gloves. The rain had subsided and the sun peeked out among the clouds, promising a reprieve. 

 

“Have fun! Be polite!” Her mother shouted her two most common requirements from the kitchen. Maya wrenched open the door and immediately saw Paul who was climbing out of his forerunner. She had seen him from the window and wasn’t going to do the whole have him knock and answer the door and begrudge weird awkward conversation that her parents would try to insert themselves into.

 

He was dressed in some loose fitted jeans and a black short sleeve shirt, the tattoo on his left arm peeking out under the sleeve. She clattered down the porch steps and gave him a wave. He smiled and Maya wondered if the look he had in his eyes was nervousness. She felt a thrill run through her. 

 

“Long time no see,” she breathed. His eyes flitted around her face taking her in and then realizing what he was doing he gave her a warm smile and pulled open the passenger door for her. 

 

“It’s been a busy week. Hop in.” Maya settled in the seat and whipped her seatbelt on. When he climbed into the driver’s seat next to her, Maya immediately felt the heat wash over her face. He was sort of beautiful. 

 

“Ready?” he said, starting up the truck. 

 

“Ready.” she nodded. 



Chapter 6: Set out the welcome mat

Chapter Text

Whenever I had the dream, I always felt like I could remember everything. I remember the trees and the wind and the smell of pine and red alder. The wet loamy earth was like stepping on pillows. I always know where to go to get to the cliff. And I always know that the wolf will be waiting. Each time I’d reach the treeline that opened out onto the jutted edge of rock that formed the cliff, I’d hesitate, thinking: Maybe this time I won’t walk through or Maybe this time the wolf won’t be there and I’ll be alone up here. I never make the decision to walk out onto the cliff. I'm suddenly just there, and the wolf is always there before me, it’s dark chocolate eyes sizing me up. I take another step forward and reach my hand out as if to touch him but I’m still too far away…


The drive to Third Beach trailhead took about 15 minutes from Maya’s home. At first, the drive was very quiet. Paul stared straight ahead out the windshield, intent on keeping his eyes only on the road. Maya shifted in her seat and preemptively pulled on her gloves. 

 

“Are you cold? I can turn up the heat,” Paul said gently reaching for the vent controls. 

 

“No, I’m okay,” Maya said looking at him now. 

 

“I run pretty hot, so I don’t really notice the cold,” he explained. Maya watched his mouth as he spoke and then trained her gaze out the windshield. 

 

“You’re the second person to say that,” she said with a light laugh. Paul raised an eyebrow and Maya answered his unspoken question, “Jeremy said the same thing.” 

 

“Oh, right,” he said. 

 

“Speaking of,” Maya took a chance, casting a sideways glance at Paul. His gaze darted from her to the road curiously. “What’s with all the favors?” 

 

“What do you mean?” he said, clearly confused. For a hot second, Maya thought that Jeremy might actually have been playing her. 

 

“Jeremy..checking on me. He said he was doing it for you?” Maya said tentatively, a blush slowly forming on her cheeks. If she was wrong about this she was going to be so embarrassed. 

 

“Oh, that,” Paul said, a sly smile pulling at the corner of his mouth. She thought for a minute he might apologize but after a brief pause he just shrugged and said, “This imprint thing can be intense, so I wanted to give you some space. But I’m also not that great at space.” 

 

At least he was honest, she thought. 

 

“I see..well for the future, you can just check on me yourself. I like Jeremy, but having him glued to me 24/7 is kind of suffocating,” she had no idea where all this honesty was coming from. Maya was very confident when talking to people, but she was also very considerate of others feelings, which meant she would generally keep things to herself if she felt like it might hurt their feelings or come off too strong. But with Paul, she didn’t feel the need to hold back. 

 

“Noted,” he said with a warm smile in her direction. “Anywhere outside of school, I’ll take care of myself.” Maya rolled her eyes at this. He was basically telling her that Jeremy was still going to keep an eye on her in school without explicitly saying so. 

 

They made it to the trailhead and Maya hopped out of Paul’s white forerunner and pulled up the hood of her raincoat. It had started to drizzle. 

 

“You sure you’re not going to need a coat?” she said skeptically to Paul. The rain was already starting to make his hair slick. 

 

“Nah, I’ll be fine. Let’s go, I want to show you something,” he said motioning toward the forest with his head. 

 

They started down the path together walking side by side. Conversation came easily, she noticed. He asked her about her plans for college, her friends, what she liked to do on the weekends, even her favorite color. Maya buzzed with warmth, and the close proximity to Paul also made her stomach flip. Whenever he stole a glance at her, or stood behind her as she climbed over a fallen log, she couldn’t help but feel a little lightheaded. Dizzy even. 

 

As they trudged up the path, Maya interjected, “Okay, you’ve asked me a million questions, I want to ask you some.” She saw his jaw clench but he tried to seem open and nodded anyway. 

 

“Shoot,” he said. Maya paused for a minute, every question flitted out of her head. 

 

“I actually can’t think of any now,” Maya admitted, blushing. Paul let out a barking laugh and glanced at her. 

 

“Fair enough,” he said. “It’s up here.” Continuing up through the trees, Maya could see a clearing up ahead. She hadn’t really been paying attention to her surroundings, but now as she followed the narrow path Paul cut ahead for them, she got a crushing sense of deja vu. 

 

As Paul pushed through the trees, Maya gasped. Her eyes roamed around the clearing and she realized that she was standing on the same cliff that she found herself in in her dreams. The same cliff with the wolf. Paul walked ahead of her and out onto the narrow jutting rock that hung over the edge of the cliff. The dark, roiling waves churned below. Maya was frozen to the spot. Paul turned to look back at her and again she was plagued with that overwhelming feeling of deja vu. Paul stood in the same place that the tan wolf always stood. The sky behind him mimicked the off color one that tinged the daylight with blue in her dreams. 

 

“I come here a lot,” he said suddenly, looking at her intensely. Maya still hadn’t moved, her feet firmly planted to the ground. “It’s actually kind of peaceful.” He looked back out over the waves and then back to her, noticing that she was still glued to the treeline. His eyes were suddenly etched with worry. “Oh shit, I didn’t even ask if you were afraid of heights. Are you?” 

 

Maya couldn’t find it in her to answer, her voice had been melted away by the shock so instead she just shook her head slowly. 

 

“You okay?” he said, taking a step toward her. She swallowed hard and yelled at herself to pull it together. 

 

“Ye-yeah, sorry,” she managed. Maya took one step forward and then stopped. Paul’s eyes darted down to her feet. 

 

“You sure?” he asked skeptically and taking a couple steps toward her again. Maya nodded. “Come look,” he offered his hand out to her and she felt a rush move through her body. In the dream, she’d never gotten this far and for some reason, it felt like a huge moment to take this step in real life. She scanned her eyes up to connect with his, feeling that familiar anchoring sensation ground down through her and then she reached her hand out to connect with his. He clasped it firmly in his and pulled her forward toward the edge of the cliff.  

 

His palm was searing with heat and she could feel it radiate through her woolen gloves. As she peered out over the edge, she let out an excited squeal followed by a huff of breath. “Wow!” she said. They were much higher up than she had anticipated and just the thought of the sheer drop to the ocean below sent a thrill through her. Paul looked pleased. 

 

“Pretty cool huh?” He still held onto her hand tightly and pointed to some landmarks that ran along the beach edge that they could see from the cliffs. They stood out on the cliffs for a long time until Maya startled sniffling and Paul thought they should head back to the warm car. He let go of her hand once they were safely back in the treeline. She wondered what it would feel like to hold his hand without the interference of her gloves. To feel his skin on hers. The thought of it sent a wave of excitement through her and settled in her belly. 

 

They talked all the way back to Maya’s house and when he pulled up into her driveway, Maya was a little disappointed to have arrived back so soon. Wanting just a little more time, she turned in her seat and looked at him. 

 

“Paul?” she said tentatively. 

 

“Maya.” he replied warmly. 

 

“I thought of a question to ask you,” she said. He nodded for her to go ahead, “Chief Black said that the imprint defines the relationship. Do you think that’s true?” 

 

Not expecting this question, Paul opened and closed his mouth a couple of times before saying, “Yes. You get to decide what the role of this bond is, not me. The imprint is based on protection, meaning it’s meant to make me want to protect you and as an extension, the tribe. Not that I need an incentive…” he trailed off and then suddenly realized what he had said when Maya’s face fell. “No, I didn’t mean..fuck,” he said. “Maya, you’re more than an incentive for me.” 

 

She nodded, still not completely sold. “Okay. I’ve been thinking about it. And it would be really great if we could just be...friends.” Maya bit her lower lip in anticipation. Would he be angry? He couldn’t be if he believed that the imprint sets the relationship. The look on his face was unreadable, it was just as if he was considering what she said. “Is….is that okay?” 

 

“Yeah, of course. Whatever you want,” he said. She nodded and satisfied with his answer, she popped open her door and jumped down. 

 

“Thanks for today,” she said, turning back to him. He was still looking at her with that completely stone-faced look. 

 

“Anytime” he said shortly before she gave him one last smile before shutting the door and hurrying up the porch steps. He stayed until she made it inside and she gave him one last wave before she closed the front door. 

 

Once shut, Maya leaned against the front door and let out a sigh. She was so relieved that he had agreed to just be friends as part of their imprint, but at the same time, even as she asked it, a gnawing sensation had started in her belly. Maya pushed that feeling down, hung up her raincoat, and bolted upstairs to call Keye and Becks to report back. 

 

F-F-F-F-FRIEND ZONED!” Keye yelled on the other end of the line. Becks was laughing and Maya covered her mouth to stifle some giggles. 

 

“Jeez Maya, you’re fast. First solo hangout and you set the record straight. Respect.” Becks joined in. 

 

“Oh my god, it wasn’t even like that. It was clear we were just going to be friends from the start. As if he would be interested in me,” Maya said somewhat subconsciously. 

 

“Okay, first of all. That’s a weird thing to say. Second of all, you’re his fucking imprint. Doesn’t that mean that you can just flip the switch whenever you want and then he’s like...on his knees for you?” Keye said. 

 

“Well when you put it like that,” Maya cringed. “No, I don’t think Paul is like that. When we were hiking, I got the distinct feeling that he’s the kind of person who is very much in control of his shit. Like he doesn’t seem like the type to be wishy washy. So telling him what I want now is a good thing. It feels like we’re not dancing around each other. We’re just friends and now we can move on and this imprint thing can just be a little blip. I just gained a new...intense friend,” Maya concluded. 

 

“So since you’re just friends now, does that mean that Jeremy won’t be required to hang all over you at school?” Becks inquired. Maya wasn’t sure. Paul had implied that Jeremy would still be around to keep an eye on her, but that was before she had asked to just be friends, so maybe not? 

 

“Mmm, I don’t know. Probably not.” Maya said, although she didn’t feel too sure about that. She would make it a point to tell Jeremy that her and Paul were just friends so he didn’t have to be her security detail anymore. 

 

“Glad you figured it out! Now, can we pleeeease find a time to hit up that club? My parents are going to be out of town in February, so I think that’s the best time to do it. We can say we’re staying at mine and then have the whole night free!” Keye said excited. 

 

“Sounds good to me,” Maya thumbed through her planner and jotted down a reminder for February. 

 

“I’m in,” Becks responded. Keye hooted in joy. 

 




The next week at school was dull. Maya was getting into the groove of balancing school work, helping her mom organize some upcoming events for the community, and participating in student council. She was the vice president to Beck’s presidency. 

 

By the end of the week, Maya was surprised that Paul hadn’t texted her. Jeremy was still hanging around, but she hadn’t gotten up the courage to tell him that he didn’t need to be around anymore. She liked his company and she didn’t want to hurt his feelings. Plus, it was kind of nice not to have guys jostle her in the hallways anymore for the sake of teasing or scoring a date. Jeremy was like her own personal hall guard. 

 

During their passing period to lunch, Maya threaded her arm through Jeremy’s. It had almost become a habit at this point. 

 

“Hey so..” she started. Jeremy looked down at her, the tone of her voice gave her away too soon. “I told Paul a couple of weeks ago that I just wanted to be friends with the whole imprint thing, so you don’t have to keep an eye on me anymore.” 

 

“What do you mean?” he quirked an eyebrow and gave her a smirk. 

 

“I mean...if you wanted to drop the whole charade we got going on and pursue something real with, I don’t know, Katie Seraff, that would be totally okay. I know how to get to my classes without a bodyguard,” she joked nudging into him.

 

“Ooooh, you think I like Katie Seraff,” he said not addressing her main point, “I’m actually more into Sarah Littlesea. I’m surprised you didn’t pick up on that.”

 

“Jeremy,” Maya fixed him with a serious stare. “For real, we don’t have to do this anymore.” She pulled her arm out of his. 

 

“Aahh, but I kind of do,” he said pulling her into him, and wrapping his arm back through hers. 

 

“Noooo, you don’t,” Maya said, pulling her arm out again.

 

“Listen, I know about the whole friend-zoned imprint thing. But my original orders are still in place. Plus, I like having you as my fake girlfriend. It’s really chart topped me as the guy most wanted in our grade,” he gave her a lazy smile and Maya was speechless for a moment, “What?” he asked at her expression. 

 

“I don’t understand, Paul and I are just friends so there’s no need for you to play protector anymore. I’m not spoken for so if a guy wants to ask me out, he can.” Maya said firmly. It’s not that she particularly wanted anyone to ask her out, she just wanted the option. She thought things with Paul were sorted, but apparently she missed something. 

 

“Ah, you’re gonna have to talk to him about that. I don’t think he’d like it if you were getting asked out by dudes, even if your friends or not,” Jeremy said.

 

“That makes no sense,” Maya said as they made their way to their lunch table. Jeremy finally released her when they sat down. 

 

“Take it up with the boss,” he said to confused looks from Keye and Becks. 

 

Oh, Maya would. If he ever talked to her again.




It was two weeks exactly from when Maya last heard and saw Paul that a text message lit up her phone. She was sprawled out on her bed, half asleep and knee deep in a paper about Socrates when the buzzing brought her back to life. 

 

Paul: Hey. 

 

Maya snorted. ‘Hey’? After two weeks, all she got was a ‘Hey’? This imprinting thing was total bullshit. Maya set her phone down and turned back to her textbooks. If he waited two whole weeks to text her, she could make him wait at least ten minutes for a text back. She didn’t have to wait long though. 

 

P: Sorry I’ve been MIA. If you want, you can come over and study at my house. I’m usually out working in my workshop, so you’d have the place to yourself. There’s plenty of food, and it would help me out and get the council off my back if we started having more face to face time.

 

Maya looked at the text reading it over and over again. Was the council bothering him about her? Maya suddenly remembered Chief Black’s words the first day she was told about the imprint. There must be a relationship of some kind. 

 

That was pretty much nonexistent at this point. If the council had found out, maybe they weren’t happy with the friend thing. Maya chafed at this. As she poised her fingers over the keys, she saw the three dots pop up again. 

 

P: No pressure. 

 

 Maya smiled at that. She let out a breath and immediately texted him back. 

 

M: I could do that. When works for you? 

 

P: You can come over any day you want, after school, the weekends. I don’t mind. 

 

M: K. I’ll have Jeremy drop me off Monday after school. I get out around 2:30. 

 

P: See you then. And thanks. 

 

M: Whatever helps. 

 

Maya closed her phone and fell back against her pillows. Zero to a hundred seemed like their style now. 

 




Maya had been tapping her foot impatiently all day waiting for school to get out on Monday. She didn’t know why, but she was excited to see where he lived. Maya thought it might give her better insight into who Paul was and she’d get a chance to see him in his natural element. 

 

When Jeremy dropped her off, Maya was immediately enamoured with the small blue house. It didn’t look like any of the other houses on the reservation—a stone wall adorned the front right side of the house. Ivy laced the brick in intricate patterns. When she hopped down from Jeremy’s jeep and waved goodbye, she took a minute to smooth out her blue suede mini skirt and retuck her black ribbed turtleneck. She wore sheer black tights with her knee high black suede boots. Her hair was pulled half up out of her face and fell around her shoulders in massive waves. She took a minute to take in the front of the house, noticing the beach just under the haze of the clouds. The house sat up on the side of a hill and overlooked the ocean but Maya could see a clear path that had been carved in the brush that led down to the beach. 

 

She realized her heart was hammering in her chest as she made her way to the front door. As she knocked gently, she looked over her shoulder, uncertain. Paul pulled open the door and she was winded by the sight of him. Her reactions to him were almost involuntary and she always seemed to have to scramble to compose the look on her face. 

 

“Hey,” he said, clearly pleased to see her. That exhaling feeling melted through Maya’s body.

 

“Hey.” her face pulled up in an automatic smile. She saw him glance her up and down quickly and then trying to recover, moved out of the door so she could come in. The house emanated warmth. 

 

There was a wide long window off the kitchen set with a low bench seat and lots of comfortable pillows that looked out over the ocean. The cozy living room was in that same area and a dark leather couch was draped with thick knitted blankets. She saw a study just off the living room and a staircase that she assumed led to his bedroom. Maya took her time letting her eyes dance around the room and Paul watched her carefully. 

 

She turned to fix him with a smile. “This is really nice. I’ve never seen a house like this before.” 

 

“Oh, well that makes sense. I built it,” he said casually. She rolled her eyes playfully and smacked her forehead. 

 

“Oh of course!” she let out a light laugh and his eyes flitted to the sound. That unreadable expression was back and Maya was determined to figure out what was behind it. “So, uh, where do you want me?” she said. Paul’s mouth dropped open and then he tilted his head, unsure of how to answer her question. Maya blushed bright red and quickly corrected herself stammering, “I-I mean wh-where should I do my homework?” 

 

“Right,” he said flashing her surprising smile. “Uh, anywhere you feel comfortable. The kitchen table has a lot of room, or my study is right through there...it doesn’t have a desk though. I don’t have a desk,” he said, suddenly realizing that she might need one. 

 

“Kitchen table looks good,” she peered down the open hallway. As she said this, Maya leaned down and zipped open the side of her suede boots, slipping them off easily and setting them next to the couch. His eyes were glued to her and when she turned to walk down the hallway, Paul let out a relieved sigh and followed her. She deposited her book bag on the kitchen table and pulled out her books. 

 

“So...My workshop is just out there.” he pointed out the double french doors that led to the side of the house. She could see the open front of his workshop that faced the house and the tools and wood laid out in there. “If you need anything, just let me know..Otherwise….make yourself at home,” he said awkwardly. Maya gave him a reassuring smile and sat down on the soft wooden bench. 

 

He watched her for just a minute more and then made his way down to his workshop. Maya had a good view of him as he worked from her spot at the kitchen table. She was eager to take a solo look around his house but her massive pile of work won out this time. Plus, if she was going to make this a regular thing, she’d have plenty of time to snoop. 

 

Maya got sucked into her homework and before she knew it Paul came in through the back double doors, wiping at his hands with a dirtied rag. It had grown dark outside without her realizing. He looked at her with a quizzical look and said:  “Have you eaten?” 

 

Maya shook her head, somewhat distracted and he moved over into the kitchen, pulling things out of the fridge. As she finished up her paper, Maya heard the sizzle of oil in a pan. It smelled amazing. She hopped up off the bench and crossed the short distance to stand next to him. 

 

“Need any help?” she said. He glanced in her direction and said “Sure. Cut up some bread.” 

 

She pulled the loaf of french bread from a wooden bread box on his counter and cut two thick slices. “Do you have anything to drink?” she asked, suddenly realizing how thirsty she was. He pointed with the wooden spatula toward the fridge. 

 

“Help yourself.” 

 

Maya pulled open the fridge, biting her lower lip, feeling completely out of place and settled on some sparkling water. 

 

She carried the bread to the table as he draped some noodles on a plate and poured some of the sauteed vegetables on top. He set the plate down in front of her and said “Eat.” 

 

“You’re very bossy, you know?” She replied. “Thank you,” Maya gestured to the plate and unfolded her napkin in her lap. She tucked a lock of hair behind her ear. 

 

He fixed himself a plate and sat across from her buttering some bread and plopping a piece on her plate before getting one himself. She watched him over bites of food and tilted her head. She was sure he noticed her watching him right away but he let her. Then he let out a laugh and finally said, “What are you looking at me like that for?” 

 

“Like what?” she prodded. 

 

“Like you have something you wanna say, but it’s a secret,” he replied looking at her, amusement glittering in his dark eyes. 

 

“That’s just how my face looks,” she retorted jokingly. He laughed and took another bite. 

 

“I like it,” he replied. Maya’s stomach did a somersault. 

 

“Is the council really bugging you?” she said without thinking. Maya was surprised at herself. She never just came out and said things like that. Paul leaned back in his chair to look at her.

 

“They seem to be under the impression that we are ‘resisting’ the imprint,” he said, disdain laced in his voice. Maya went wide eyed, her fork hovering just outside of her mouth. 

 

“What?! Why?” she was genuinely thrown off by this. Paul shook his head. 

 

“You got me.” he replied genuinely. 

 

“Do they want us to put on a show or something?” she asked, spearing a pepper a little too aggressively. Paul watched her with a familiarity that made her shiver. 

 

“I don’t know, but if word gets out that you’re hanging out over here, maybe that will help them settle down.” 

 

“Are they okay with the ‘just friends’ thing?” Maya probed. 

 

“I wouldn’t know, I didn’t tell them,” he said, not meeting her eyes. It sounded like he really didn’t want to talk about this. 

 

“Why not?” Maya said a little annoyed. Paul’s eyes shot up to look at her seriously now and the breath caught in her throat. 

 

“It’s none of their business what goes on between me and you,” he said, defensively. Maya watched him, stunned. He held her eyes there and she saw the fire burning again.

 

After dinner, Maya insisted on helping wash the dishes. Paul stood next to her drying the plates, pots, and pans she handed him. She was very much aware of the closeness of their bodies. More than once, Paul reached behind her to grab a dish towel, open and close a drawer, or grab something that didn’t seem wholly necessary. Each time he moved around her, she felt the gentle brush of his hand on her lower back or her arm, whether he meant to or not. Every time his hand brushed her, it sent an sizzle of electricity through her. 

 

When he dropped her off, Maya saw the curtains flutter in her living room window. It was most definitely her mother. Maya let out a small groan and unbuckled her seatbelt. While Paul may have thought it wasn’t the council’s business what went on between them, Maya got the distinct feeling that that didn’t apply when it came to her mother. 

 

“Text me if you want to come over again this week,” Paul said hurriedly as she opened the door. Maya looked over her shoulder at him. 

 

“Do you want me to come over again this week?” She said suddenly confused. Maya was under the impression that this was a once-a-week kind of thing. 

 

“If you want,” he said. Maya fixed him with a look and Paul stared right back. 

 

“But do you want me to? I’m not going to wear out my welcome for the council’s sake if you think once a week is enough,” she said defiantly. Paul gripped the steering wheel tighter. 

 

“Yes, I want you to,” he admitted. Maya’s heart fluttered involuntarily. She saw the pulse of the muscle clench in his jaw. 

 

“Okay,” she said, still confused. Why was it that his words said one thing but his body said something completely different? It was like he had to will himself to say yes. Maya walked up to her front door, feeling Paul’s eyes on her still. She didn’t look back this time when she walked through and instead shut the door quickly behind her. 

 

He’s kind of jerk. Maya thought to herself. 

Chapter 7: Always take the candy

Chapter Text

When I was little, we had this way of doing Valentine’s day at school. The teacher would dismiss a couple students at a time out into the hallway. There they would artfully select their Valentines and place candy or cards or sometimes gifts in the small cubbies where we kept backpacks that were too big for our bodies. I always had a problem with this method—why all the secrets? At the end of the day, we’d all get to rummage through our cubby, relishing in the spoils. My mom always made sure that I gave a Valentine to everyone. ‘Pick no favorites’ she warned me. But I always seemed to find an uneven stack of gifts in mine compared to Keye or Becks or anyone. When I asked my mom why, she would give me an overwhelming sweet smile and say ‘It’s because you have secret admirers, baby. They like you! Always make sure you take the candy or the gift when a classmate offers it. It’s polite.’ But I didn’t want a secret admirer, I wanted to know who liked me when I stared at the bauble of eyes darting around the room.


Over the next few weeks, Maya visited Paul’s house a couple times a week and sometimes on Sundays to study and hangout. After the first few visits, she started to feel more at home. Paul stuck mostly to his workshop when she was around but a couple times after they cooked dinner, Maya plopped on the big leather couch and he slid a movie into his DVD player for them to watch. 

 

Maya quickly grew to love the little blue home that Paul had built. He shared his plans to extend the property eventually one day when she wandered out into his workshop to see what he was up to. The intricately penciled designs were spread over his work bench and he explained each step to Maya who was rapt, running her hands over the measurements. 

 

“What if you did beams here instead? Might cut down on materials, eliminate the need to lower the ceiling, and give you a little bit of charm,” she suggested to his renovation outlines. He considered it for a moment and then nodded and bent over the paper to make some changes to his mock up. 

 

“That’s actually a great idea, thanks,” he said. Maya had been pretty pleased with that even if he didn’t do it in the end, she appreciated the consideration. 

 

Her favorite thing about him was quickly becoming the fact that whenever Maya talked about anything, whether that was something that happened during her day, reading her paper out loud to him, or just joking around, he really listened. Throughout her life, Maya always had people pay attention to her, but she never thought they actually listened. Her mother had explained it away as a side effect of being a pretty face, but Maya had quickly rejected that. 

 

Her second favorite thing that was threatening to become her first was his smile. Whenever she pulled a real wide smile from Paul, one that was tinged with laughter or dare she say it, admiration, her heart rocketed into orbit. 

 

Paul’s presence in the house was minimal, non-intrusive, but everytime he popped up, either when she was working at the kitchen table, cuddled into the couch pouring over a book, or sitting out on the back porch that overlooked the ocean on a particularly nice day, her body wrapped in one of the thick knitted blankets, he was kind and thoughtful. She was pretty sure Paul’s love language was food. He’d always bring her snacks while she was working, often plopping down across from her and eating off the same plate with her. Their time together was easy, slow. 

 

After about three weeks of this new schedule, Maya showed up one Sunday mid-morning to find a key on the kitchen table waiting for her. She eyed it suspiciously and looked around the room as if someone was going to pop out and yell “SIKE! You thought!” 

 

Paul came through the back door ruffling his hair with his hand and walking straight to the sink with a cursory “Hey” at her presence. 

 

“Paul…” she said slowly, still standing. She was wearing a burnt orange sweater dress that clung to her body and had a high neck. Her hair billowed out around her and her cheeks were still pink from the February biting cold. “What’s this?” She points to the key on the table. 

 

He looks over his shoulder at her taking a gulp of water and then says, nonchalantly, “A key.” 

 

“To what?”

 

“The house.” He said as if it was the most obvious answer in the world. His eyes naturally scanned her, taking in her outfit. Maya noticed he always did this when he first saw her—he made sure to take her all in first as if he was taking a long drink of cold water.

 

“This house?!” Her eyes popped wide.

 

“What’s with the inquisition? Yes, this house. In case you need to come by when I’m not here.” He motioned toward the door.

 

“Is this about me breaking in that one day?” Maya’s mind flickered back to the week before when she had texted him last minute that she was coming by. He hadn’t answered, but she hadn’t thought anything of it until Jeremy pulled away out of his drive and Maya was met with a locked door. 

 

He never locked the door when he was home. Maya knocked, a feeling of dread pulling through her. No answer. After waiting a couple of minutes, she walked around the house to the backyard and saw his workshop was empty too. She tried the double french doors but they were also locked. 

 

“Fuck,” she had breathed. Luckily, she had found a window who’s lock was loose and she was able to shimmy it open, pulling her body through. She was incredibly proud of herself for being so resourceful. Less than an hour later, Paul had burst through the front door, completely out of breath. Maya leaned up from her prone position on the couch with a small “Hey” and he had immediately launched into an apology about how he missed her text and realized too late that the door was locked and, “Wait, how did you get in?” Maya pointed to the window that she had clearly damaged and he let out a relieved sigh. 

 

Now he laughed and took a swig of water. “No, it’s not. But that was impressive.” 

 

“Impressive that I made it in from a window that was six feet off the ground or that I managed to break it so bad that you had to completely replace it?” 

 

“Both.” he said quickly. He washed his hands and then turned to lean against the sink crossing his arms in front of him. 

 

“Thank you.” she said, pocketing the key. He nodded and headed back out to his workshop. For the rest of the night, Maya would absently slip her hand in her pocket and run her hand across the cool metal of the key. 

 




“Happy Valentine’s day, fake girlfriend,” Jeremy threw his arm around her. She noticed his hair was starting to get shaggy. Valentine’s day was weirdly a big deal at her school. The school organized candy grams and rose deliveries throughout the day that students could purchase for their intended crush. Maya and her friends were usually bogged down with so many roses and candy by the end of the day they couldn’t close their small locker’s properly. 

 

Maya was always weirdly excited about Valentine’s day. She loved the way it made her feel, even if she was never in a relationship, she just genuinely loved seeing other people happy, embracing, and in love around her. 

 

She dressed for the occasion, with a dark red top, with a sweetheart neckline. It was slightly cropped but had thick fabric ties that she looped around her waist to accentuate it and tied in a dainty bow in the back. She paired it with her black skinny jeans, some black heeled boots, and some dark red lipstick that warmed her entire face. She’d pulled her hair up in a thick ponytail and was careful to curl it so it swooped out and finished the look with a soft white bow that she tied around the base of her ponytail. 

 

“Awww, happy valentine’s day, fake boyfriend,” Maya said sweetly. She threaded her arms around his neck and he scooped her up in a hug. They’d grown incredibly close in the short time together. Maya often found herself confiding in Jeremy during passing periods. He’d come over to her place or meet her at the library to study and do homework and he’d even started talking to her about Paul a little more. They looked like a real couple at school. 

 

“Close your eyes,” he said seriously. Maya smiled and closed them as Jeremy reached for her hands and put them together, palms facing up. He placed a slim square box in her hand and said, “Okay open.” 

 

Maya immediately looked down to the box in her hand and then shot an elated grin up at Jeremy. He looked so pleased and waited patiently for her to open it. Maya was careful to untie the bow and when she pulled open the top box, she saw two thick gold bangles in the box. She gasped. 

 

“Oh my god, Jeremy, these are beautiful!” she said. Her mother had always taught her that telling someone something a gift was too much was a ploy for attention and you should always sound grateful. She slipped the bangles over her wrist and smiled at how they tinkled together. “They’re amazing, how did you know I liked gold?” Flattery will get you everywhere, her mother reminded her. 

 

Jeremy was working hard to conceal his blush, overwhelmed that his gift had gone over so well. “I’ve seen you wear those gold dangly necklaces your mom got you. Thought it was a good fit. You really like them?” 

 

“I really do, thank you so much Jeremy,” she said leaning in for another hug. He took it eagerly and wove his arm around her back as they headed toward her next class. Maya was floored but also...did this gift mean something? No, they were just friends, obviously and he was just being an incredibly kind friend. Jeremy was all smiles down the hallway as they passed their friends. Maya was still grateful for the lack of harassment she got these days, but she was worried that Jeremy might be getting the wrong idea as she leaned into their friendship.






“Jeremy wants you,” Keye had said when they settled into their seats in the lunchroom. Jeremy had excused himself to go outside and talk to Sarah Littlesea. 

 

“Shut up, no he doesn’t,” Maya said simply. Keye reached across the table and fiddled with her bracelets. Maya recoiled and held her wrist close to her chest. “Hey!” 

 

“Maya, I love you but you are clearly clueless when it comes to guys who have a thing for you,” Keye resigned. 

 

“We are in a fake relationship. Key word fake,” Maya said back. 

 

“Yeah, but those aren’t fake bracelets, are they?” Keye was eyeing her critically. Becks said down next to Maya and she turned to her and pouted. 

 

“Friends give each other gifts right?” Maya said. 

 

“Of course!” Becks said. Maya turned back triumphant to Keye but Becks continued, “But friends probably don’t give gold bracelets to their friends on Valentine’s day while they’re pretending to be their fake boyfriend for clout.” 

 

“It’s not for clout,” Maya was getting louder. Had she misread this?! Was this not okay? 

 

“Maya, think about it. Why would he give you those?” 

 

“Because. We. Are. Friends.” She was getting upset now. Becks rolled her eyes and tucked into her fruit cup, giving up. 

 

“And what’s your friend Paul gonna say? Totally normal, not invested in any way, Paul?” Keye dug into her. Maya didn’t say anything, mostly because she hadn’t really thought about it. Keye fixed her with a knowing stare and Maya grimaced before Jeremy rejoined them  and they defaulted to their usual banter. 

 

For the rest of the day, Maya wondered if she should go over to Paul’s. Would it be weird if she saw him on Valentine’s day? No...things weren’t like that between them. They were falling into a good rhythm with one another. Things felt good.  

 

She decided she would  go over and prove Keye wrong about him. He’d be totally fine. He probably wouldn’t even notice. She texted him when the bell for fifth period rang. 

 

P: Absolutely. I’ll be home a little bit later in the afternoon. I have to drop off a piece to the Clearwaters. 

 

Jeremy didn’t say anything when he dropped her off but she did see that he looked at her wrist for a half second where the gold bracelets still sat. 

 

“Thanks for the ride!” she said cheerfully as she climbed out and made her way to the door. Jeremy had already disappeared before she even got the door unlocked. 

 

Maya set up in the kitchen and finished her Calc homework before starting some dinner. She threw together some steak tacos and as she pulled the taco shells out of the oven, Paul walked through the front door calling out a “Hey!” to announce himself. 

 

“In here!” she said dropping the hot shells quickly in a cloth covered basket “Hot!” she said to herself in a light squeal before setting them on the table. When Paul came into the kitchen he looked genuinely impressed. 

 

“Steak tacos? Ambitious,” he said. 

 

“Well, we try,” she said, giving him a mock curtsy. His eyes raked across her body taking in the particularly form fitting outfit. The red set something off in his eyes but they stopped abruptly on the gold bracelets dangling from her wrist. 

 

“Those are new.” He nodded to them. 

 

“Oh, yeah,” she said nonchalantly, sinking onto the bench. Be breezy, be cool. “Uhh, Jeremy gave them to me.” She picked a shell out of the basket and started loading it with toppings. 

 

Paul tensed at this but didn’t say anything for a bit. He moved to the sink and washed his hands. With his back still turned to her, he said,

 

“He gave you a gift on Valentine’s day?” She could tell he was trying very hard to keep his voice nonchalant, casual, even. Maya had the feeling that she was wading into dangerous waters. Not for herself, particularly, but for Jeremy. 

 

“Yeah, to keep up appearances, you know? It’s no big deal.” she said, still trying to keep her cool. “I thought it was nice.” 

 

Paul didn’t say anything and dropped down into the chair across from her digging into the tacos. Maya eyed him carefully but he made sure not to meet her eyes. Keye might have been right. 

 

After dinner, she asked to watch a movie and he agreed. Instead of sitting on opposite sides of the couch like they normally did, Maya sat closer to him, wrapped up in the heavy knit blanket. About halfway through the movie, Maya had sunk down on the couch and rested her head on a pillow she had propped against Paul’s thigh. Her eyes drooped and she found herself easily drifting off to the low sound of the movie. At one point she felt extremely warm and realized that he had carefully draped his arm over her shoulder and was gently rubbing his fingers against her scalp. Maya relished in the feeling and let herself drift in and out. She clenched her legs tightly together at one point to quiet the feeling growing there. 

 

Once the movie ended, Paul sat there for a while, continuing to stroke his hands through her hair. When it got far too late for an acceptable excuse for her parents, He sat up and gently ran his hand down her arm and whispered “My.” Her eyes fluttered open, half asleep and she sat up slowly. “I need to get you home.” She yawned and nodded. He helped her into her coat and she she braced his bicep for support while she slipped on her heeled boots to steady herself. 

 

When he dropped her at her door, Maya turned to look at him again feeling a shift between them. She saw that fire in his eyes again and tried very hard to define it but only one word came to mind. The way he looked at her now seemed to say: Mine. 



Chapter 8: Strangers who already know your name

Chapter Text

I always hated being unprepared for anything: a presentation, a play, a get together. I would get this uncontrollable trembling that would start in my stomach and radiate through my bones. I remember the first time it happened—it was the second grade play of Princess and the Pea. I’d been cast as the princess and when I made my debut on stage, the lights and stares of the tribe on me made me freeze. I stared up at the stack of makeshift beds piled on top of one another. Becks, who played the queen looked at me, mouthing my lines. My whole body shook, I must have looked like a brand new baby deer caught in the headlights. But all of the sudden, I was able to proudly say my lines, despite the shaking; my voice didn’t even have a warble to it. When I got to leave the stage, Becks took my hand and I gripped it tightly, happy to be out of the burning lights. 


After the gold bracelet incident, Maya made sure to go over on Sunday to try and gauge how Paul was feeling. She’d sent him a text or two over the next couple of days, but had only gotten cursory responses. Jeremy seemed to act normal, so Maya thought maybe everything was okay. 

 

Unlike the other days, Maya chose to walk to Paul’s on Sunday instead of hitching a ride from Jeremy or her parents. The weather was good, the sun had just peeked out after 10 a.m. clearing away the consistent morning grey. She slipped on some cuffed light wash jeans, a long sleeved white fitted shirt and her red flannel that had once belonged to her mom. Maya had brushed out the mess of her hair and other than running some oil through it, she left it down in a wild poofy array. She was careful to leave the gold bracelets sitting next to her sink. 

 

Slinging her backpack over her shoulder, and donning her brown boots, Maya called out a goodbye to her mom and dad before swiftly heading toward the beach. There were back paths that wound the edge of it and Maya could get to the carved path that led up to Paul’s house. Since he was on the edge of town, it took Maya a good 30 minutes to walk it, but she didn’t mind. The fresh air made her cheeks rosy and she pulled in the salty sweet smell of the beach. 

 

When she made it to Paul’s after climbing the path to his backyard, she paused. Maya had a clear view of him through the double french doors. His back was to her and he was shirtless with black sweatpants covering his lower half. Maya’s eyes traced the line of muscles in his well defined shoulders and back. The deep red brown skin made her heart stutter and she knew that if she stood here much longer, he’d turn and catch her staring and a flood of embarrassment would beg her to bolt. 

 

She skipped up the back porch steps and easily pulled open the french doors. Paul looked over his shoulder at her, surprise coloring his face that quickly morphed into tempered joy. 

 

“Good morning,” Maya said sweetly, setting her backpack down on the bench and making her way over to the coffee pot. 

 

“You’re here early,” he said, giving her a glance as she hopped up onto the counter top and held the steaming cup between her hands. She watched him work at the stove, scrambling eggs, warming biscuits and sizzling some sausage in a pan. 

 

“Mmm,” she replied, “Any of that for me?” 

 

“Always,” he said, his voice still a little gruff with sleep. She noted there was already an extra plate laid out on the kitchen counter and she wondered if he knew she would come. She had been making Sunday’s a regular thing and rarely ever texted him a heads up, but still.

 

Maya took another sip of her coffee and then hopped down to grab some fruit that she sliced at the counter next to him. She doled out orange slices amongst their plates. 

 

When he sets the plates down for them, he starts up immediately: “I’ve got some work to finish today that I need to post for Seattle by tomorrow so I’ll be tied up in my workshop today.” 

 

“Okay,” Maya said softly. He was making an effort not to look at her again and this irked Maya a little. His eyes flitted to her wrists and seeing them bare, he continued:

 

“I’m also going to be out of town for a couple of days at the end of this week, Wednesday through Friday, but you can obviously still come over to work or hangout if you want.” 

 

He was leaving? Maya took a couple of bites and let the silence bolster her before she said, “Where are you going?” She felt a pang in her body that said she already would miss him. 

 

Paul looked up at her now, his eyes meeting her with a calm, serene expression. Maya couldn’t help but let her eyes drop to the most favorite spaces on his face: the line of his jaw, the curve of his mouth, the height of his cheekbones. 

 

“Just to Seattle. I have some meetings lined up for some custom work and need to meet with some clients. I have a workshop up there that’s a little more fitted to handle larger pieces.” 

 

Maya nodded and continued eating. She felt his eyes on her again but didn’t look up. “Okay.” 

 

After breakfast, Paul dipped out to his workshop and true to his word Maya didn’t hear or see him for a few hours. Around 2 though, as she finished up her James Joyce required reading from the couch and was letting herself drift cautiously toward a nap, she heard a “My!” come from his workshop. 

 

He’d started using the nickname without any real reason, but she attributed it to him being more comfortable around her. Plus, it made her flush with excitement every time he said it. 

 

She hurried out to his workshop, barefoot and when she tentatively walked in, he pointed to the long table with intricately carved legs proudly. “What do you think?” He was clearly seeking her approval and Maya let her eyes wash over the beautiful oak wood. Her hand slid across the buttery top and she walked the length of it, taking it in. 

 

“It’s beautiful,” she breathed. Her back was to him and when she turned around to meet his eyes, he was holding something. 

 

“This is for you.” Maya’s eyes darted to his wide hands and she saw a delicately beaded white and blue bracelet not unlike the one Paul has around his wrist. Maya was taken aback for a moment and reached out slowly to take it from him. It was incredibly detailed and the thread was barely visible amongst the tightly threaded beads that follow spiraling patterns like those in the murals and drawings of her tribe. 

 

“Can you help me put it on?” she held out her wrist to him, joy clearly shining from her eyes. Paul was dumbstruck by her reaction and his eyes flickered to her face and the bracelet before he closed to the distance between them and carefully secured the bracelet around her right wrist. An electric shock of warmth shot up her arm as his hands lingered on her forearm for just a moment too long before letting her out of his grasp. 

 

She gave him the biggest smile after admiring the bracelet on her wrist and noticed that Paul’s mouth twitched in a momentary grin before he took a step back, the warmth evaporating between them. She really liked making him smile. Maya willed the goosebumps that rushed down her arms and legs to go away but Paul had already noticed and it seemed to satisfy him. 

 

“Thank you,” she said again. Paul nodded and turned back to his work. Maya retreated to the house and laid back down on the couch holding her wrist above her head and turning it in the sunlight so she could look at every part of the bracelet in detail. A flurry and butterflies swarmed in her belly. 

 




The bell rang, dismissing her for the day on Monday. Maya laughed at something Jeremy said as they stumbled down the steps in front of the school together, his arm casually laying around her shoulder. When they reached the bottom, Jeremy looked at her and said,

 

“I’ll see you later, looks like you got a ride today.” Maya looked at him confused as he pulled his arm off of her and walked away from her toward his car. She turned to see Paul leaning against his forerunner, that same unreadable look on his face—it almost looked hungry. Her creamy tan turtle neck was cuffed up to her forearms, easily showcasing the bracelet Paul gifted her. She shoved her hands into the pockets of her light wash jeans and made her way over to him with a smile. 

 

“What are you doing here?” She said when she was close enough. That hungry expression eased into a gentle smile and he let himself take a look at her. She ran a hand through her hair, realizing she probably looked a little disheveled. 

 

“Thought we’d shake it up a bit,” his eyes never left hers but Maya had the crushing feeling that everyone around them was watching. A quick scan around the parking lot confirmed to her that yes, everyone was watching. 

 

“I thought we were keeping a low profile.” She turned back to him. His eyes glittered as they looked around her face, searching for something there.

 

“Ah well, the whole tribe already knows. Well, sort of.” he flashed a secret smile, and Maya raised an eyebrow in an unspoken question that he wasn’t going to answer “Plus, you’ve been cooped up at the house doing homework, I thought you could use a break.” 

 

She smiled at this and noticed that his eyes were drawn to it as well. Two peas... 

 

“A break would be great.” She conceded.

 

“Good. Hop in.” he said and opened the passenger door for her. 

 

The drive was quick and when they arrived at the modified bungalow by the beach, Maya looked at Paul expectantly, her mouth slightly ajar. She had no idea where they were, but the look on Paul’s face said that they were somewhere where Paul felt entirely at ease. His body language relaxed and his eyes softened. He hopped out of the truck as Maya stayed frozen in her seat. He jogged around the front of the car and opened the door for her. When she jumped down she heard a crowing coming from the house and suddenly a group of men spilled from the mouth of the house toward them. Maya, startled, automatically took a step back, but Paul placed his hand firmly on her lower back and said: 

 

“There’s some people I want you to meet, come on,” before he returned the crowing and guided her toward the throng. They all towered above her. Paul was among the tallest, but still, Maya had to crane her neck to see their faces. She fitted a smile and was only reassured by the warm hand Paul kept on her back before he started making introductions and depositing her into the open arms of his pack. There was that word again. 

 

“And you know Jeremy,” Paul said, gesturing to Jeremy who stood and gave her a small wave back on the porch. 

 

“Wow, I wish I was young enough to be security detail,” the one named Quil quipped. Paul fixed him with a grimace and a playful slug to the shoulder as Quil feigned injury. Maya blushed and took a step closer into Paul without thinking. 

 

“Maya!” A woman called as she skipped down the porch steps and hurried toward her. The crowd of men parted at her presence. She noticed a deep red scar that pulled down the left side of her face, but she was quickly pulled into a tight, warm embrace before she had too long to focus on it. “It’s so good to finally meet you. I’ve heard so much about you. I’m Emily,” she said pulling back and bringing her hands to cup Maya’s cheeks. Maya recognized Sam Uley coming up behind her, an easy smile on his face as he looked at her. 

 

“Emily Uley,” Maya confirmed, with a polite smile. She nodded her head eagerly as if the name gave her pleasure. 

 

“This is my husband, Sam” she turned her body and Maya nodded. 

 

“Nice to meet you,” she said. 

 

“Welcome,” he said, his tone loaded with so many things unsaid. 

 

When they entered the seemingly small bungalow, Paul stayed close to Maya. The home was warm and full with the members of Sam’s group as well as some women who clung to them. Maya looked at Paul for clarification and he gave her a knowing look and gestured to first himself and then Maya with his index finger. Imprints. 

 

Maya took a deep breath, thoroughly overwhelmed at this and leaned against the kitchen counter as Emily was a flurry of activity around them. Paul was joking with some of the other men and she noticed that his face had changed. This Paul was relaxed, happy, and the tension was gone from his jaw. He also seemed to be more comfortable around Maya, placing a hand absently on her back from time to time just to make a connection or leading her to the table and slinging his arm over the back of her chair, his hand hanging down over her shoulder. The move clearly indicated that this was Maya and Paul. Paul and Maya. 

 

Who was this Paul? She barely recognized him. 

 

If being well liked taught Maya anything, it was how to hold a conversation when you were mentally absent from the room. She bantered easily with the other imprints and some of the men, who were pleased with her joking demeanor and the ease at which she fitted in. 

 

Maya felt an iron weight coiling around her and holding her in place. As the house burst with energy and play fighting, Maya tried very hard to determine the source of the weight that made her want to bolt. 

 

She thoroughly enjoyed the company around her, everything felt easy, and she slotted into place with Paul like a missing puzzle piece here. But that was the problem. This was easy and never before in her life had she wanted to stay exactly where she was than at this moment. It scared her and her knee jerk reaction was to distance herself as far away from is as possible so she could get back to the Maya she knew. The Maya who was already mentally packing her bags and flying across the country to start a new life where no one knew her. 

 

But here, in Emily and Sam’s family home, their kids running in and out of the house and their friends laughing and bouncing off of one another, Maya saw a different future unfold. A future she felt her insides squirm and yearn for. A future that placed Paul in her direct line of sight and went against everything she promised herself. One that would please the council and her parents. One that she would never regret but didn’t know if she wanted. 

 

After a ton of crushing goodbye hugs, Paul pulled Maya out of the grasp of the giant men by her waist toward the car. She waved goodbye, all smiles, and once safely tucked into the quiet of the car, she let out a relieved sigh. 

 

On the drive back to her house, she was unnaturally quiet and stared out the window, her eyes burned with the threat of tears.

 

“Everything okay?” Paul broached when he noticed her silence. Maya tried to gather herself and quickly nodded her head, keeping her gaze fixed out the window. 

 

“Mmhhmm, absolutely,” she said, chancing a glance at him. That was a mistake—he read her expression easily and alarm now pulled at his features.

 

“I’m sorry if that was overwhelming back there. I know they can be a little much but they all loved you, trust me.” he said reassuringly. 

 

“I really loved meeting them. Can we... go back sometime?” she said more for him than for her. He gave her that heart wrenching smile again, the one that made her chest hot and her thighs clench tightly together. Maya relished in the feeling it gave her. 

 

“Yeah,” he said. He placed a warm hand on her thigh and she felt the searing heat creep up and settle in between her legs. “Thank you for coming, it meant a lot.” He squeezed her thigh gently and she let out a little gasp at the jolt it gave her. She hoped he didn’t notice, but the burning in his eyes was back and she knew then that he had. 

 

“Of course. Thank you for including me...in that part of your life,” she said, wanting him to know that she saw the clear change in him when he was with his group. He nodded knowingly and pulled into her driveway.

 

“Come over tomorrow,” he said. It wasn’t a question, he was sure, confident, and the tone laced with want. Maya turned and stood in the open passenger door. 

 

“Sure,” she said easily, giving him a small smile before hopping down and hurrying up to her door. He waited until she was completely inside before taking off. His eyes followed her all the way up the path, memorizing the curve of her shape, the swing of her hair. 

 

Upstairs in her room, Maya sobbed for a life she thought looked lovely but would never let herself have. 

Chapter 9: Crashing a party you were invited to

Chapter Text

I thought I’d hate cliff jumping when I tried it. The summer I turned 13, it was all anyone could talk about. We’d have to wait until the dead heat of summer when the water was warm enough near the shore so as not to completely freeze once you jumped in. I remember peering over the side of the cliff, down into the mixing waters, my friends wading in the deep off the side shouting up at me. There’s a rush that happens prior to launching yourself off the cliff that’s unlike any feeling I’ve had before. One moment, you’re standing on solid earth, the feel of it firm beneath your feet, and the next you’re soaring through the air, a bird lost in flight and hoping the sea catches you before you lose your breath entirely. 


As promised, Maya showed up the next day to Paul’s. She let herself in and when she saw that the ground floor was quiet, she called out to him: 

 

“Paul?” she slipped out of her brown ankle boots and straightened her black, flouncy miniskirt. Her sheer black tights were dotted with polka dots and her pink oversized cashmere sweater mimicked it with round black dots across it. She had french tucked her oversized sweater into the waist of her skirt so it didn’t completely swallow her. Her hair was braided in one thick french braid that hung down her back. 

 

She heard low music coming from upstairs and she slowly made her way up to the landing. In the month or so that she had been coming over, she’d never actually come upstairs. There was no reason to, really. It just housed a small bathroom and Paul’s bedroom. She walked through the open bedroom door and saw him setting clothes into a leather overnight bag. Maya leaned on the door frame with her hands clasped behind her back. 

 

“Hey,” she said gently. He looked over his shoulder at her and gave her a small smile. 

 

“Hey.” 

 

“How long are you going to be gone for again?” Maya asked, even though she knew the answer. He looked at her confused and then noticed the teasing grin on her face and said, 

 

“I’ll be back before you know it,” he zipped up the bag and dropped it by the dresser on the ground. She stayed glued to the doorframe, letting her eyes wash over his room. It had big wide windows that overlooked the ocean. His bed was low to the ground and swathed in a dark grey duvet and burnt orange pillows. The room felt warm, like him. 

 

He walked up to stand with her in the doorframe, his body facing hers. It was a tight fit but Maya was thankful for the lack of distance. Being around him and especially being this close to him always filled her with relief. Her fingers itched to reach out and touch his chest or his arms but she held them tightly behind her back. 

 

Maya’s breathing picked up as he looked down at her with the same look she saw the other day: mine. 

 

Maya didn’t know how long they stood there staring at each other, but she felt her knees getting weak and her hands begin to sweat. Paul had this uncanny ability to produce physical reactions in her that were just unreasonable. 

 

From the first day she met him and the imprint took hold, she knew she found him attractive. But Maya was familiar with the feeling of attraction and even more familiar with the self control it took not to act on attraction alone. While she’d never gone toe-to-toe with an imprint-level attraction, she thought she had enough practice under her belt to remain generally unphased. But that was shaping up to be not entirely true. Maya knew it was the imprint working in her, that feeling egged her on, pulled her toward him, made her gasp and sizzle at his touch, hung onto his every word—and she kind of hated it. She didn’t hate the feeling it gave her, she just hated that she felt like she had no choice when it came to Paul. A biological fixation that compelled her to be near him wasn’t a choice, it was a command. Maya had had enough commands. 

 

A grin creeped across Paul’s face and Maya felt the pang of want pull through her. “What?” she said a little breathless. 

 

“Just...stay out of trouble while I’m gone,” he said quietly, his eyes searing into hers. 

 

“Oh please,” she rolled her eyes, breaking the contact and feeling a cool rush move through her that allowed her to step out of his path and back toward the stairs, “Like I could actually ever find any trouble in La Push. You and Sam’s pack have made sure of that.” He followed her down the stairs and when she glanced over her shoulder at him, he shrugged in acknowledgment. 




Paul texted Maya everyday after he left for Seattle. Her heart would pound when she saw his name pop up on her phone. Their conversation was benign, nothing important, but Maya found herself craving that connection since she knew he wasn’t physically near. 

 

It was the strangest feeling. Like a part of you suddenly disappears and you’re left feeling lopsided, a little hollow, and a little cold. The ache that grows in the spot that’s missing feels whipped with wind that chaps and then burns. She was irritated to begin with that Paul leaving for such a short amount of time could even draw out this kind of reaction—it was as if she’d grown used to being near him and now the rug was pulled out from under her— but the texts helped to alleviate it somewhat. 

 

He sent her pictures of things in his Seattle workshop that he was finalizing and her eyes raked over each photo for detail or any glimpse of him reflected in a mirror, a hand over a table, anything. 

 

By Friday the ache had grown to a nagging presence that was constant. Her fingers itched over the call button during lunch and Jeremy nudged her shoulder. 

 

“You okay?” he said, glancing down at her phone, the screen clearly open to Paul’s contact information. 

 

“Mmmhmm,” Maya made another noncommittal noise and gave him a smile. 

 

“You should call him,” he said pointing to her phone. 

 

“What?” Maya looked at him, almost annoyed. The aching feeling was making her irritable. 

 

“Bet you he’d pick up,” Jeremy waggled his eyebrows at her, like it was a dare. 

 

“Shut up, Jer,” Maya dismissed poking at the fruit on her plate and glancing back down at her phone. 

 

“Let’s make a bet!” he said around the table. Keye and Becks perked up at this. They’d been keeping a low profile from Maya since she’d been moody and distracted. “Because I’m bored. I’ll bet $5 dollars that if Maya calls Paul right now, he’d pick up in…...two rings,” he said confidently. 

 

“Oh, I’ll take that bet. I say two and half rings,” Keye countered. Jeremy looked to Becks expectantly. Her eyes darted over to look at Maya. 

 

“Uhhh, three rings,” she said. 

 

“Hey!” Maya was honestly shocked that Becks would participate. 

 

“Call him. Call him. Call him,” Jeremy chanted as he slapped a five dollar bill on the table. Keye and Becks followed suit. 

 

“You guys are dumb, I’m not just going to call him so you can win a bet,” But Maya desperately wanted to hear his voice. Her stubbornness was going to win out. 

 

“Party pooper,” Keye said. Jeremy reached around her quickly and pressed the call button on her phone. It connected and started ringing right away. 

 

“Jeremy!” Maya yelled standing up and grabbing her phone, trying to disconnect. But before she could, she heard the familiar, gruff ‘Hello’ of Paul’s voice on the other end and the ache evaporated. She slapped the phone to her ear and said, Uuuh, hi. Paul..It’s..it’s Maya.” 

 

“Yeah, I know. You’re saved in my phone. Are you okay?” Genuine worry was etched in his voice and Maya immediately felt bad that he thought she called when something was wrong. She paced away from the table and pushed open the double doors to the quad to get away from the squabbling happening at her lunch table now.

 

“Yes! Everything’s fine. I’m fine,” she said, hastily. Fuck, what was she supposed to say now? “Uhhh, what time were you coming back tonight?” Jeez, she sounded desperate. She thought she heard him laugh a little and felt her cheeks burn red. 

 

“Not until late, probably midnight. I’ve got that expo tonight. I’ll come pick you up first thing in the morning if–” 

 

“No! No that’s okay. I was just curious. I—” Maya, Keye, and Becks had planned to go to that sketchy club just outside of La Push tonight and she anticipated that she would be in no shape to see him so early in the morning. She trailed off and listened to the silence over the line. 

 

“Listen, Maya...if you want, you can just ask Jeremy to take you over to Sam and Emily’s today after school. Being around the others might help with the...the ache,” he said slowly, letting out a breath. Maya’s eyes went wide. He must have felt it then too. 

 

“Oh,” she said after a minute. The bell was about to ring, “Okay...I really am fine. I just wanted to say hi. I’m hanging out with Keye and Becks tonight so, I don’t think I’ll need to….go over there,” Maya was struggling to form complete sentences. 

 

The fact that Paul may have been feeling this ache too sent a shockwave through her. She was almost pleased and it made her uncomfortable. The ache in her belly wanted him to feel that way too, and more than that, she wanted to know that he felt it to reassure her she wasn’t being ridiculous. The bell rang above her head and Maya dreaded having to end the call. 

 

“Okay.” 

 

“Yup.” Maya said, not knowing how to sign off. Then, the unmistakable sound of light laughter could be heard on Paul’s end followed by a bright, voice: 

 

“Paul! Let’s go!” It was clearly a woman and the instant rush of pain Maya felt was unmistakable. She worked to shove that feeling aside but on top of the ache, it was almost too much. 

 

“I’ll talk to you later?” He said it as a question. He never posed things as a question to her when it came to things like this. Paul was always so sure. It was always “I will see you later” or “Come over tomorrow.” Maya always found comfort in that, but this question threw her off, as did the sound of the laughing woman in the background. Maya’s mind went wild with pictures of Paul in the city, a gorgeous blonde woman hanging off his arm and laughing as they combed through the streets together.

 

“Yeah,” she said. “I gotta go.” She clicked her phone off quickly and let out a frustrated groan as the ache pulsed through her again. 

 




“We’re doing it! We’re going to that fucking club tonight if it kills me!” Keye said as she patted on some lip tint in the vanity that lit up her entire room. 

 

“No need for the dramatics, I scheduled us an uber,” Becks said, pulling on tight ripped jeans and straightening her cropped, off the shoulder, flouncy black top. 

 

“Okay, so I brought a couple of outfits. One is more weather appropriate, and one kind of goes all hoe.” Maya held up the two choices. One was a long sleeved black mini dress that was made of thicker material. The collar dipped low to show her cleavage. She thought she’d pair them with her knee high black suede boots. The other option was a white cotton mini dress with thin spaghetti straps and a straight, low neckline that just peeked at the top curve of her cleavage. 

 

“Oh, hoe it up for sure!” Keye says pointing to the white. “Plus you’ll be much more comfortable dancing in that one in this sweaty ass club.” 

 

“Oooh, yes the white, the white!” Becks confirms. Maya smiled eagerly and stripped to her black underwear. You couldn’t really wear a bra with this dress, but it was tight enough around the chest that it offered her some support. She paired it with some black strappy heels. 

 

“It’s not too weird for February?” Maya said as she looked in the mirror. The tight white dress hit just at mid-thigh, showing as much leg as her 5’9” frame allowed. 

 

“No way!” Keye wore a nude colored mini skirt that flared out when she moved and a cropped nude top. Her black hair spilled glamorously down her back and her bright red lip begged for attention. 

 

“Yeah, you look great My,” Becks said as she fluffed her own hair. Maya curled the long lengths of her black hair into beachy waves and dotted her cheeks with creamy warm blush. She finished her look with peachy colored lip tint, mascara and smokier eye than she was used to. 

 

“Jesus christ, you look like you’re in your twenties.” Keye said. 

 

“Good, that means we’ll get in easier.” Maya said pleased with her work. They had scored fake IDs as sophomores but never tested them out at this place. Something told Maya that the sketchiness of this club would work to their advantage. 

 

“Oh! Uber’s here. Let’s go!” she said, pulling on Keye’s arm as she finished her mascara. Maya tucked her phone into the small purse she slung across her body and they hustled down the stairs of the empty house, laughing with excitement as they piled into the uber. 

 

Maya felt good. When they easily bypassed the front door security—who didn’t even glance at their IDs—she exhaled a breath of excitement as the pulsing music of the club beat through her. The ache in her stomach was gone and for the first time since Paul left for his trip, she felt in control and was determined to have fun tonight. 

 

“Drinks first!” Keye yelled as they made their way toward the bar. It didn’t take much to get Maya drunk and by midnight, she was happily bobbing and grinding indiscriminately with different men who pulled her around the dance floor.

 

Maya chugged her fifth drink and bounced gleefully in the club with someone new when a pair of eyes caught hers. There, standing on the other side of the club was Collin Littlesea. His head shot out above the rest of the crowd and Maya stopped her dancing abruptly, suddenly feeling a little sick. She turned her body away from him and moved deeper into the crushing crowd of sweaty dancing bodies to find Keye or Becks. Maya spotted Keye first and made a beeline for her, grabbing her by the arm. Keye swung around quickly about to yell and then squealed with drunken delight when she saw it was just Maya. 

 

“I think I just saw someone from the rez!” Maya yelled over the thumping music.  

 

“Oh cool!” 

 

“No! Like... from Sam’s group!” she yelled back. 

 

“So?” Keye mouthed, putting her arms up in an obvious ‘who cares’ kind of way and turning back to dance with the man behind her.  

 

Maya suddenly realized that she didn’t want Paul to know she had been here tonight. She was hyper aware of the fact that he might not be too pleased that she was in a club dancing with men she didn’t know who were overly familiar with their hands on every part of her body.  

 

Maya kept her head down and after a few songs of dancing with the some blonde-haired man who took every opportunity to touch her ass, she convinced herself that Collin hadn’t seen her and everything was fine. A few songs later as she whirled around the dance floor with someone else, she noticed that the guy she was dancing with was looking nervously over her shoulder. He caught her eye, leaned toward her and said loudly, “Do you know that guy?” 

 

Before Maya had a chance to respond or even turn to look at who he was talking about, a firm arm circled her waist and pulled her sharply backwards into a hard body. The guy she was dancing with yelled “Hey!” 

 

Maya didn’t see the exchange between the man who now had hold of her and the guy she was dancing with, but he quickly retreated into the throng of the club. She spun around in the arms of her assailant about to push him with both hands and tell him to politely fuck off, when she came face to face with the towering figure of Paul Lahote. 

 

Maya’s eyes went wide in shock and her mouth dropped open a little bit. He looked down at her with a deep frown on his face. Still, he looked entirely too good in the blue pulsing lights of the club. Maya was definitely drunker than she thought because she felt extremely comfortable in his arms. Her hands floated down to rest on his forearms and in response his grip tightened around her possessively. 

 

“Time to go.” He dipped his head to her ear to be heard over the music. It wasn’t a question. Maya held him there, her hand grasped firmly around the nape of his neck, her cheek pressed against the stubble on his jaw. His hands slipped down so that they were tightly fitted to her hips; the thin fabric of her white dress felt like no barrier at all for the hot heat that pulsed from his palms. She ached to feel his hands on her bare skin. He pulled back ever so slightly to look at her, their faces dangerously close, and then he said “Fuck.” The sound was swallowed by the music, but Maya revelled in the thrill that ran through her when he said it. 

 

He held her gaze, his eyes searching hers before he stood up straight, circling his arm around her waist and pulling her through the crush of the crowd. Maya stumbled as she tried to turn and look over her shoulder where Keye and Becks had been dancing. 

 

“Collin’s got them. Let’s go,” he replied to her worried look. He easily pulled her through the club—they must have looked like quite a sight. Finally out in the biting cold night air, Maya snapped back into reality, the haze of the club rinsing from her. She suddenly felt his too hot hand on her hip and the all too familiar weight of it made her panic. 

 

“Let go of me.” she said, prying at his fingers. He loosened his grip and she pulled hard away stumbling a few steps into the parking lot. Maya whirled around, her lips set in a tight line. His eyes were all fury. 

 

“Get in the car.” he said with a tone of finality that she instinctively knew not to disobey. Even still, Maya rooted herself to the spot. 

 

“I’m fine!” she all but shouted into the dark cold air. 

 

“Maya.” She could hear the anger bubbling under the surface in his voice. “Get in the car, now .” 

 

“I was fine in there! You didn’t need to come.” She pointed lazily to the door. Her eyes drooped in clear intoxication. 

 

“You’re out of your depth here.” Paul said through gritted teeth taking a step toward her. 

 

“Who asked you?!” she shouted. Paul’s jaw tightened and she noticed a tremor ripple through him. He kept his tone calm, commanding. 

 

“I’m telling you one more time: Either you get in the car now or I put you in there myself.” 

 

“Oh fuck off, you wouldn’t,” Maya said in a slurring laugh. She tried to cross her arms and legs at the same time and ended up losing her balance for a second. Paul automatically reached for her but she held a hand out to stop him. 

 

“Maya.” he said seriously. 

 

“Paul,” she mocked. 

 

He made a noise not unlike a growl under his breath and strode toward her, sweeping her up and over his shoulder. She squealed in protest but it didn’t seem to faze him. He easily deposited her into the passenger seat, fastened the seat belt, and shut the door a little too hard  in one quick moment. Maya sulked and started to fiddle with the seatbelt like she was going to make an attempt to get out. 

 

“If you touch that seatbelt, you’ll regret it. Trust me.” Paul warned, as he settled himself into the driver’s seat. Maya looked at him incredulous. There was clear anger etched on his face, but she was a little too drunk to care. As he skirted them off down the dark road back toward the rez, Maya leaned her head against the cool window and drifted off to sleep. 

 

After what felt like no time at all, Maya has the sensation of being carried. Her head rested gently against the firm, fire-hot chest and her arms automatically looped around Paul’s neck as he carried her easily through the doorway and into the dark house. 

 

Chapter 10: Mornings after aren't what they used to be

Chapter Text

I was dreaming. I had to be. I was in Paul’s room, sitting on the edge of his bed. The room was dark but there was a light glow from the landing. A dark figure came in and kneeled in front of me. He smelled so good, like wet earth after fresh rain and sandalwood. I reached out for the dark figure, my hand cupping his cheek. The dark figure put his hands on my bare thighs and the heat almost startled me. I knew that heat. My head hurt and I needed to lay down, but these damn spaghetti straps were cutting into my shoulders. With a groan, I pulled them down and tried to shimmy the top over my chest, but the dark figure stopped me. Then a hand pulled my arm up, threading me through a warm shirt. I felt like I was five and let out a little laugh. The dark figure receded and I took that as my cue to let my mind creep into the cool black of the room. 

 

The next morning, Maya groaned and rubbed her eyes in the low light of the bedroom. Her stomach dropped when she came to out of the throws of sleep. She shot up and looked around her for Keye and Becks but they were nowhere to be found and Maya suddenly realized: she wasn’t where she thought she was.

 

The soft grey duvet adorning Paul’s bed was draped over her, and a dark blue t-shirt covered Maya’s top half. She scrambled to look next to her but the bed was empty. Her heart nearly lept out of her chest. 

 

She had slept in a man’s bed for the first time. And not just any man’s bed—Paul’s bed. But where was Paul? Had he slept up there with her? Why was she wearing his shirt? Her hands immediately pulled back the covers and she saw that underneath the shirt, she was still wearing her white mini-dress. She let out a sigh of relief. Maya never thought that Paul would take advantage of her, but stranger things had happened. 

 

Throwing her legs over the side of the bed onto the warm floor, Maya spotted her overnight bag that she had brought to Keye’s sitting next to the nightstand. How did that get here? She thought. 

 

Quickly, Maya jumped out of the bed and shimmied out of her white mini dress, letting it drop to the floor before she pulled on some sleep shorts from her overnight bag. She kept Paul’s shirt on and went into the bathroom to comb out her mess of hair, brush her teeth, and wash the makeup off her face. 

 

She didn’t look terrible, but for a morning after where she had no clue what had happened the night before, she wished for a little better. 

 

Maya crept down the stairs and peeked into the kitchen where Paul was busy making breakfast. 

 

“Hi,” she said softly. He turned to look at her and the want coloring his face tugged at Maya’s heartstrings. Good god, he was beautiful this morning. Maya squelched that thought and tugged at the hem of Paul’s blue shirt that she wore. 

 

“Umm, so..about last night. Did we—”

 

“Did we what?” he said, amazed that she would even think that, let alone say it outloud. 

 

“Did you sleep in there with me?” she said innocently, her cheeks tinged red. 

 

“I slept on the couch,” he pointed with the spatula toward the living room. 

 

“Oh,” Maya said in a small voice. He looked at her confused and then the look transformed into a stern stone-faced grimace.

 

“We need to talk about boundaries.” 

 

“Boundaries.” She repeated back at him, unsure. 

 

“What you did last night was reckless. Plain and simple. I specifically asked you to stay out of trouble while I was gone. Color me surprised that when I get off my flight, I have panicked voicemails from Jeremy saying he has no idea where you, or Keye, or Becks are. On a Friday night.” 

 

“Jeremy knew I was staying over at Keye’s and so did you.” Maya rebuffed. 

 

“But you weren’t at Keye’s were you? You were at that fucking club,” he said, his tone darkening as he dropped the spatula with a clatter on the stove and turning to face her. Maya bit her lip in anticipation. “You don’t get to go to places like that. It’s not safe.” 

 

”These aren’t boundaries, Paul, they’re limitations.” she retorted, crossing her arms defiantly.

 

“Fine, whatever you want to call it. Bottom line is, I need you to know where you are.” His eyes were all fire again and he kept glancing down at the shirt she wore. Maya usually took pleasure when he did that, but now she just felt vulnerable.

 

“So I can’t go to a club?” her voice rose in anger now and Paul raised his eyebrows, ready for a fight if she wanted one. 

 

“That club? No you can’t.” he said with a smirk on his face, “But you can go to clubs in Port Angeles as long as you go with me or someone I can trust to keep an eye on you.” Maya’s heart skipped at the thought of going to a dark nightclub with Paul. Her mind flickered to last night at how good his hands felt gripped tightly on her hips. 

 

“Do they have to follow me into the bathroom too?” she said sarcastically. He gave her a firm look and she rolled her eyes, “Fine. What else?” Paul’s eyes bored into her, a strange look coming over his face as if he was surprised she would ask this. His jaw was clenched and he looked at the floor before he said: 

 

“I need to see you more.” Need huh? That’s intense. Maya swallowed hard when he looked back up at her. The hunger was back. 

 

“I’m over here like three days a week already.” She conceded quietly after a beat.

 

“I know.” He fixed her with that look—the one that never begged her to get closer, the one she always assigned to that of the imprint’s call. Deep down she knew how to satiate the hunger that grew in her. It took everything in Maya to keep her glued to her spot. Instead, she leaned into her flight response. The one that would keep her safe and tethered to the Maya she knew. 

 

“Paul, it’s hard to get over here sometimes. I can’t always rely on you to pick me up or ask Jeremy to do it all the time.” She offered gently. He had to be reasonable about this. 

 

“I’ll get you a car.” Paul answered quickly, his eyes sure. Maya’s mouth fell open and she stuttered to start a sentence. 

 

“What?! No! Paul you can’t get me a car.” She argued. 

 

“Why not? There’s the problem, I’ve offered the solution. I’ll get you a car so you don’t have to rely on anyone.” He said simply. Maya scoffed and ran a hand through her hair. 

 

“No. It’s way too much. Plus, I won’t even need it when I leave for college.” 

 

This was not the right thing to say at that moment and she realized this too late. The look on Paul’s face was one that personified the ache that had pulsed in both of them the past few days: Pain. Maya was shattered by it. The mention at the distance did him in and the tremor that shook his body was back. Maya quickly crossed the kitchen to stand in front of him, her hand wrapping around his wrist as she said, “Hey, woah.” 

 

He gritted his teeth as he looked at her, “Maya, get back.” he said seriously. The pain on his face transformed quickly to seething anger and for the first time ever, she was scared of him. Maya dropped his wrist and backed away slowly. Her legs hitting the low bench that ran next to the kitchen table. Paul was pulling in labored breaths and his whole body shook violently. 

 

“Paul,” Maya said in a small voice. “You’re freaking me out.” He focused on her now and after a couple of minutes he calmed his breathing and relaxed. 

 

Maya stared at him with mouth open, eyes wide in fear. 

 

“I’m sorry,” he said quietly. 

 

“What the fuck was that?” she squeaked. 

 

“I’m sorry, I just… lose it sometimes,” he watched her carefully and Maya kept her distance. “Maya, please.” He said gently, holding his hands out in front of him, reaching for her. He took a step forward and she sucked in a quick breath. 

 

“Don’t.” she said quickly. Paul stopped and the shock moved across his face. 

 

“I would never hurt you, Maya.” he said firmly. “Ever.” He took a tentative step toward her and she didn’t stop him. “Okay?” He held up his hands in surrender and then placed them on either shoulder. Maya kept her eyes on him, the fear not quite ebbed away. She knew he wouldn’t hurt her, but that was something she’d never seen in him before. 

 

“Okay.” she nodded. He squeezed her shoulders and then let his hands drop as he walked back to the stove. 

 

“Let’s talk about something else.” 

 

“Like not getting me a car?” she said.

 

“Don’t push it, Maya.” he didn’t look at her as he said this, working away at the stove. She sunk down into a chair at the kitchen table facing him. “I know it’s the imprint but….these past few days were not easy.” 

 

“It’s just because we’re used to being around each other. I don’t see how seeing each other more is going to fix that feeling. You’re going to have to go to Seattle for work sometimes and I…” she didn’t finish her sentence as she saw him tense. “It was hard for me too.” 

 

“It didn’t seem like it was that hard for you when I found you in that club last night,” Paul said. 

 

“That’s not fair and you know it.” she said quick to shoot him down. He wouldn’t make her feel bad about last night. 

 

“And when it comes to work in Seattle, next time you can just come with me.” he said simply. Maya scoffed at this and Paul turned to set the plates of food down in front of them sliding into a chair. 

 

“Oh really?” she said, skeptical. 

 

He paused before taking a bite of his food to look her in the face, “Yeah, I think you’d like it. See my studio, visit Seattle.” 

 

“You sure this isn’t just a sly way to keep tabs on me?” she said, raising an eyebrow. He smiled mischievously and the look made Maya’s heart catch. Paul noticed and nudged her under the table with his foot playfully. Maya laughed and dug into her food. The rest of breakfast Maya sat and listened as Paul told her animatedly about his trip. He was so happy and so relaxed, Maya couldn’t help but feel warm. 

 

As Maya cleaned up the dishes, she turned over her shoulder to Paul, “Do you mind if I take a shower before you take me home? I kind of smell like a bar.” 

 

“Yes, you do,” he joked. Her face instantly fell open in surprise and he laughed walking over to the bathroom off the kitchen. “This one is nicer and there’s some clean towels in there.” 

 

“Okay!” Maya hurried up the stairs to grab her overnight bag and when she re-entered the living space downstairs, she dug through it while walking across the kitchen saying: “How did you even get this?” She deposited it on the sink in the bathroom. Paul was sitting on the couch flipping through channels. 

 

“Collin grabbed it from Keye’s when he dropped her off.” 

 

“Oh my god, Keye!” Maya said suddenly. She hustled out of the bathroom and started looking around the house. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Paul said. 

 

“My phone, have you seen my phone?” 

 

“You didn’t have your phone on you when I got to you. I thought that was why you weren’t answering me last night.” Paul said confused. 

 

“Oh fuck!” Maya said, putting a hand to her forehead. “Please tell me I did not lose that thing.” Maya never lost anything. “Can I use your phone to call Keye and see if it’s there?” 

 

“Sure,” Paul said, pulling his phone out of his pocket and handing it to her. She took it from him and opened the phone without effort. 

 

“You don’t lock it?” she said surprised. He shook his head. 

 

“Why would I lock it?” As if it was completely ridiculous to lock your phone. “Everyone already knows everything anyway.” he said cryptically. 

 

Maya looked at him confused for a second and then punched in Keye’s phone number, walking back toward the bathroom. After the seventh ring, a groggy Keye answered her phone. 

 

“Paul what the fuck it’s like 8 a.m. and Maya is with you. What reason could you possibly have for—” 

 

“Keye it’s me.” 

 

“Oh.” Keye’s morning aggression halted and she yawned dramatically. “Did you guys bang or what?” 

 

“Keye!” Maya said, her head darting to the side to make sure Paul was still on the couch. She closed the bathroom door for good measure. His hearing wasn’t that good, but still, Maya felt the heat of the ask on her face and Paul was particularly good at reading her. 

 

“What?!” 

 

“Don’t say shit like that. And no. Have you seen my phone? I can’t find it at Paul’s and if I fucking lost that thing my mom is going to have my head.” Maya could hear the volley of disappointment now: ‘Oh Maya, your phone? How could you lose that? It’s so expensive. You need to be more responsible. If I can’t trust you to hang onto your phone, how are you going to make it across the country on your own?’ Maya rolled her eyes just thinking about it. 

 

“Hold up, let me check.” Maya could hear a rustling of blankets and shuffling and a groaning noise that she assumed was Becks. “Looking….looking.” Keye loved to hear herself speak so Maya was unphased by this play by play. “Mmm. I’m not seeing it My.” 

 

“Fuuuuuuuuck,” Maya groaned moving to turn on the shower. Maybe she could just drown this feeling. 

 

“Hold on, let me ask Collin.” Keye said nonchalantly. 

 

“Okay,” Maya said absently as she felt the water under her fingertips. 

 

“Hey Collin. Did you see Maya’s phone last night?” Maya heard a mumbling and then laughter from Keye. Suddenly, things clicked into place for Maya.

 

“WAIT WHAT?!” she said a little too loud. Her eyes shot to the closed door and she whispered under her breath into the phone. “What is Collin Littlesea doing there?! Keye!” 

 

Keye could be heard giggling intermittently between kissing noises and Maya’s whole face went red. 

 

“He stayed over. What’s the big deal!? And yes, I have your phone.” That was a relief. Maya let out a worried breath and then started to take off her clothes while still on the phone with Keye. 

 

“Oh my god! Keye, he’s probably the one who ratted me out to Paul,” Maya said, not exactly upset but still wanting to understand what had happened last night. 

 

“Yeah, well he was going to find out anyway. Listen, I gotta go. I’ll give your phone to Jeremy and he can drop it off to you today. Are you still at Paul’s?” 

 

“Yeah. Wait. Why Jeremy?” Maya said confused, now fully naked. 

 

“Uhh, because he slept over too.” 

 

“WHAT!” 

 

“My, the yelling, please. I gotta go. MWAH!” the line disconnected among another bout of giggles and she looked at Paul’s phone in complete shock. What just happened? As she stood there, letting it all sink in, Paul’s phone lit up with a text message. Since he didn’t have it locked, the entire text message previewed on his screen and Maya read it before she realized what she was doing: 

 

Rachel: It was so good seeing you this week. I haven’t laughed that hard in so long. Let me know when you’re back in town and we can meet up for dinner and drinks. My treat. <3 

 

With a little gasp like she’d been burned, Maya turned the phone over and set it on the bathroom counter. Steam was rising around her and she quickly retreated into the shower as a pain bloomed in her stomach. 

 

Who is Rachel? Maya thought as she let the water burn rivulets of water down her back trying to even out her breathing. 

 

Her mind shot back to yesterday when she was on the phone with Paul and she had heard a tinkling laugh in the background. Was that Rachel? Maya couldn’t even think about how to begin going about asking this question to Paul. She felt like she had no right to. But that burning look he gave her last night when their faces were inches apart and he had looked her dead in the eye as if some sort of realization broke over him before he said ‘Fuck’, told Maya something different. 

 

Maya was starting to wonder what was the imprint and what was just her growing attraction to Paul. Were they the same? She hated to think they were. Maya touched her cheek where the stubble on his jaw had been pressed to before. ‘Can’t you just like flip a switch and then he’ll just...be on his knees for you?’ Keye’s voice flickered through her head and Maya thought about it. 

 

If she ruled the direction of the bond, she could decide that she wanted more and Paul would, in theory, go along with it. But did she want more? The pang of jealousy and resulting pull she felt toward Paul told her she did. Her heart hammered in her chest as she allowed herself to picture what it would be like if she did just ‘flip a switch’. Paul’s mouth would have landed on hers in that club, he would have slept with her in his bed, he would have undressed her completely. Maya looked at the ceiling, imagining an alternate universe Maya and Paul who were still tucked away upstairs, tangled up in each other, pressing feverishly into one another, satiating their hunger. 

 

Maya had never allowed herself to think in so much graphic detail about what it would be like with Paul and now that it was there, she couldn’t get it out of her head. When she finally climbed out of the shower, her skin tinged red from the water, she pulled on the pair of black lace underwear she had stowed in there and her dark wash jeans. Paul’s dark blue t-shirt was hanging over the side of the sink where she left it. Like a woman possessed, she tugged the blue shirt back over her head, sans bra, and tied it in a knot at the front so that it would cinch neatly around her waist. She rolled the knot under the shirt and a healthy sliver of her midriff peaked through. She combed through her wet hair and quickly braided it. Once she had stowed everything back in her bag, she gave herself one last reaffirming look and grabbed his phone from the counter before walking out into the kitchen. 

 

He was still on the couch and she padded over to him quietly before sitting next to him and handing him back his phone. His eyes instantly connected with hers, letting a wave a relief wash through her. Paul didn’t even check his phone, instead he shoved it back into his pocket and let his eyes fall down to the shirt she was wearing. A small smile tugged at his lips. 

 

“Everything okay?” he asked. Maya’s eyes flashed for a moment before she realized he probably heard her berating Keye. 

 

“Oh yeah! Keye has my phone. Collin apparently found it.” she said with an edge in her voice. Paul didn’t take the bait, he just kept looking at her, his eyes travelling along the length of her shoulders, down her chest, and across the small swath of skin that peaked at him. His arm laid across the back of the couch and before she knew what was happening, his hand reached for the end of her braid, his fingers combing the tip of it between his fingers gently. Maya’s mouth parted in surprise but she didn’t stop him. 

 

He felt so familiar. Maya turned her body to face him completely, pulling her legs up in front of her and laying them across his lap. Paul didn’t flinch in surprise, instead he let his other unoccupied hand drape across one of her thighs—easy. A shot of adrenaline rushed through Maya, eviscerating the pain that was settled in her belly before at Rachel’s text. Paul looked at her with clear want, but she knew he would not move further without prompting from her. Maya squirmed at this small power and what she might do with it. 

 

Something passed through them both. A moment of understanding that clearly showed their attraction for one another. But they both silently acknowledged the other’s stance that they would not act on it. Not in the way they both wanted to in this moment. 

 

“I should get home,” Maya whispered after a long while. Paul smiled and let the tip of her braid drop from his hand. He gave her thigh a reassuring squeeze and nodded. 

 

“I’ll take you.” 

Chapter 11: Show them what you're made of

Chapter Text

When I was in sixth grade. Katie Herrington invited me to her house for her 13th birthday party. She was one of my only friends not on the reservation. Our mom’s had met in a birthing class before we were born and off and on throughout the years, I’d come over for a sleepover, or a party, or family dinner. Katie didn’t particularly like me. She was blonde, blue eyed, and pale faced. I was warm, with dark hair and liquid amber eyes. Clearly opposites. But on her 13th birthday, when we were all starting to try and act more like women instead of like girls, Katie flounced around in a bikini at her pool. I was still in a one piece, my mother not ready to let me flourish into a woman. Katie had whispered in her friend’s ears and I immediately knew they were talking about me. But I swam anyway, hell bent on being myself in my lame one piece. Because as long as they saw me, they couldn’t erase me. I was here and they didn’t have to like it, but they would respect it. When I went home though, I threw the one piece away and begged my mom for a bikini. Some things you can conquer, and some things take a little masquerading to save face. 


On the way to her house, Maya asked Paul to drop her at Keye’s instead so she could get her phone. He agreed and when she waved to him as she opened Keye’s front door, he smiled and pulled away. The look made her heart skip. 

 

“Keye?” Maya said as she climbed the stairs to Keye’s bedroom. There was no answer and Maya wasn’t sure if the silence was reassuring or indicative of something more happening. She gently knocked on Keye’s bedroom door before pushing it open. She could tell there were two people asleep on the bed. Maya spotted her phone charging on Keye’s nightstand and she creeped over to grab it. 

 

The naked back of Collin was stretched across Keye’s bed. Maya noticed Keye was also naked from the waist up and tucked under his arm. She couldn’t help but smile a little as she creeped back out of the room, phone in hand. As she made her way down the hall, she pulled open the messages Paul had sent her last night:

 

5 missed calls, 2 new voicemails. 

9 new text messages. 

 

Yikes. 

 

She opened the texts first, three of which were from Jeremy. 

 

Jeremy: Hey Maya, I’m at the front door of Keye’s. Can you let me in? 

J: I brought pizza! I promise I won’t be lame, Paul just asked if I could check on you. 

J: Where are you guys? I called Becks but she didn’t answer. Are you guys okay?! 

 

That escalated quickly. Maya didn’t realize he had Becks’ number. Huh. Then she opened the ones from Paul. 

 

Paul: Just checking in. This expo is boring. Are you having fun at Keye’s? 

P: I want to see you for breakfast tomorrow. I can come get you at Keye’s first thing.

P: About to board my flight. Text me back please. 

P: Maya where are you? Jeremy just called and said you’re not at Keye’s? Answer your phone.

P: I swear to god Maya if you don’t pick up your phone and let me know where you are, I’m coming to find you. 

P: I’m sorry if this is intense. I just need to know you’re safe. It’s driving me crazy. Text me back now otherwise I’m coming to get you right now. 

 

Maya’s eyes ran over the messages again. He was genuinely worried and the intensity of the messages squeezed at her heart. She listened to her voicemail’s next. The first was from Jeremy: 

Maya, where are you guys? For real, Paul is going to kill me if I can’t find you. I know I’m only supposed to bodyguard you at school, but he asked me to check on you and you and Beck’s aren’t answering your phones. Listen, I won’t sound the alarm or tell him that you guys snuck out or anything, I just need to know where you are so nothing bad happens. Please call me back. Sorry. 

 

Oops. Maya pressed delete and listened to the next message that was from Paul. 

 

Maya, it’s Paul. You know, the guy who’s supposed to protect you because you’re my imprint and all? No big fucking deal. Anyway, Jeremy called me in a panic, said you were not at Keye’s and the last I heard, that’s where you were going to be tonight. You’re not answering texts. You’re not answering calls, and no one can find you. This is not okay. I know we’re just friends or whatever, but I have to know where you are Maya. You mean too much to...to me. Okay? 

 

And then under his breath he said ‘ Fuck’ before hanging up. Just as the night before, the sound of it sent a thrill through her. When he said it, it gave Maya the distinct feeling that he admitted something and then realized his admission too late. Something he didn’t want Maya to know just yet. 

 

Maya saved the message in her phone and smiled. As she pondered whether or not to tease Paul about this later, she heard laughing and a rustling sound behind the closed guest bedroom door to her left. The door was left slightly ajar and Maya, unable to stop herself, peeked through the sliver of open door. 

 

Becks was sprawled out on the bed, legs open and someone was dipping their head between them, pulling out gasps and sighs from her. In her shock and surprise, Maya accidentally pushed the door open a few more inches, causing it to creak. The sound startled Becks back to reality and she sat up quickly, her eyes shooting toward the door. 

 

“Maya?!” Becks said when she saw the deer in the headlights look from Maya in the hallway. 

 

“Oh! Sorry!” Maya cried backing away from the door. Suddenly, the man who had been working between Becks’ thighs leaned up and looked toward the door, surprised at the name Becks cried. 

 

Jeremy. 

 

“Oh fuck! I’m sorry. I’m sorry! I’m sorry!” Maya said when she realized who it was. She flew down the steps and into the kitchen putting a hand on her head. Oh fuck. Becks and Jeremy?! That would explain why he had Becks’ number and had been calling her last night to find out where they were. 

 

To distract herself, she started to pull pans out of the cupboard and set to work fixing up a breakfast spread. 

About 45 minutes later, Becks and Jeremy stumbled down the stairs into the kitchen. 

 

“My…” Becks said softly. Maya shook her head and gave her a smile over her shoulder. 

 

“Becks, it’s fine. I’m so sorry. I didn’t mean to snoop.” She said reassuringly, but something in her stomach made her worried for Becks. It was one thing for Maya to be pulled into the weird protection group because of Paul’s imprint, but now her friends were mingling with Sam’s group and she didn’t know what that meant. The feeling at her stomach pulled in obvious worry and she wanted to tell Becks to be careful, but she had no real reason to. 

 

“I don’t want things to be weird,” she said, looking between her and Jeremy. 

 

“Honestly Becks! I can’t believe you’re tearing my fake relationship apart!” Maya said in mock outrage. This pulled a smile from both Jeremy and Becks and eased their tension. Jeremy slung an arm around Becks’ shoulder and pulled her in to kiss her head. 

 

“See? I told you she’d be fine.” 

 

“Yeah, yeah,” Becks said dismissively as she patted his chest and then slipped from under his arm to go and grab some plates. “Is Keye still sleeping?” 

 

“Yeah. With Collin,” Maya emphasized. Jeremy made a whooping noise and Maya rolled her eyes. “Can you go wake them up? This is all going to be ready soon.” 

 

“Yes!” Becks said as she skipped off. Jeremy smacked her ass as she went by to an incredulous yelp from Becks. 

 

“Help me with this,” Maya said to Jeremy for the massive spread before her. She’d gone a little crazy in her panic at seeing Jeremy and Becks and had whipped up a pile of scrambled eggs, a whole package of bacon, a heap of pancakes, and about ten pieces of toast. Jeremy looked thrilled. 

 

Over breakfast, Jeremy recounted the absolute verbal beating he had taken from Paul when he told him Maya wasn’t at Keye’s and they couldn’t find them. Maya blushed profusely and apologized. 

 

“Don’t. He’s not the first one to freak out about his imprint. We’re used to it.” Jeremy nodded toward Collin who in between bites gave noises of confirmation. 

 

“Oh! So are you going to the bonfire next Friday?” Jeremy said. Collin tensed and Maya looked at him confused for a moment. 

 

“I mean, yeah my mom organizes them, so I’m like required by proxy.” Maya responded. 

 

“So true, I don’t think Maya has ever missed a bonfire. Not since maybe second grade when you had pneumonia.” Becks said. 

 

“I honestly didn’t think you’d go considering how weird the council is being with Paul,” he said nonchalantly. Maya stiffened. 

 

“What do you mean weird? What have they said?” Maya demanded. Collin gave Jeremy a look. 

 

“What?” Jeremy said to Collin confused. 

 

“Dude. This is why Paul bites your head off all the time. You need to let him tell her this shit. Maya, it’s nothing really,” Collin dismissed. Keye looked to Collin and Maya. 

 

“Are they talking shit again about their ‘relationship’? What is with them? They're worse than a group of high school girls. And I’m a high school girl, I would fucking know.” Keye said a little annoyed. Maya’s heart was beating too rapidly. 

 

“Jeremy,” she looked at him seriously. “What did they say to him?” 

 

“I—” Jeremy hesitated looking at Collin and then at Becks who shrugged. “Fuck, Maya I’m sorry. They’ve been giving Paul shit because you guys aren’t together. He told them to mind their business, but...they’re kind of relentless when it comes to imprints and tribe protection and blah blah blah.” He waved it off and Maya’s eyes went wide. 

 

“But Chief Black told me that the imprint defines the relationship. And I told Paul I just wanted to be friends...is that just all bullshit then?” Maya was getting upset now and Collin say ‘Man, I told you you should have let Paul tell her.’ under his breath to Jeremy. 

 

“My, it’s not that big of deal. Paul’s told them to basicall fuck off in more diplomatic terms so, no harm no foul.” 

 

Maya wondered if Paul was going to say anything to her at all. She let it go and told herself she wasn’t going to bring it up to him, but if the council said anything to contrary on bonfire night, she wasn’t sure if she’d be able to keep her cool. More and more, this imprint thing felt like a growing trap just waiting to snap around her and chain her to this reservation. 

 

Later that week on Wednesday, Paul texted Maya during her lunch break and asked her if she would go to Sam and Emily’s with him for dinner. She agreed but she was growing exceedingly more and more upset that Paul still hadn’t brought up the fact that the council was unhappy that they were just friends. His words echoed in her head from a week ago:

 

What goes on between me and you is none of their business. 

 

Is that what he’d meant when he said that? Paul picked her up from school that afternoon and once she was safely tucked in the car and on their way, he prompted her, 

 

“You okay? You’ve been pretty quiet this week.” 

 

Maya didn’t know how to answer him without opening the can of worms that was the council. And something told her that if she brought it up it would only make him mad. 

 

“It’s nothing, I’m just worn out with school,” she said leaning her head back on the headrest. He gave her a sidelong look but didn’t push it. 

 

At Sam and Emily’s, Maya made an effort to keep her distance from Paul just so he wouldn’t read her so quickly. She tucked under Jeremy’s arm and he led her outside so they could play a casual game of soccer with some of the other pack members. Maya almost felt like things were normal even though she was darting between a throng of shirtless, towering men down the small clearing in front of Emily’s property. Jeremy caught her around the waist and spun her around when she got too close to the goal. 

 

“That’s cheating!” she screeched between laughter. 

 

“It’s only cheating if you get caught!” he replied. “My boys would never turn against me.” 

 

“Maya!” Sam called from the porch. Maya’s head snapped up and as she made eye contact with him, he waved at her to join him. Paul was leaning against the doorframe, hands in his pockets. Maya jogged over and she found a spot next to Emily on the porch swing. Paul wouldn’t make eye contact with her and looked angry. 

 

“Everything okay?” Maya asked skeptically. Emily patted her knee as Sam looked over his shoulder at Paul before crossing his arms and letting out a sigh. 

 

“So, we have a little bit of a problem,” Sam said. Paul shook his head and Emily watched him carefully. “The council is…” He paused to look up at Maya now. 

 

“The council is what? Unhappy that Paul and I are just friends?” Maya said knowingly. Pauls’ gaze snapped up to her in apparent shock and she narrowed her eyes at him to show him she was annoyed, “You should have told me.” She said to him. Paul took a step toward her and then stopped. 

 

“Yes. They are upset with the...progression of the relationship,” Sam said, almost as if he was tired. 

 

“So all that talk about ‘the imprint defines the relationship...Maya whatever you want to do is totally fine’ is complete bullshit then huh?” Maya was mad now. 

 

“It’s unfortunate, but the council has very unique feelings about imprints and their bond with their imprinter. They assumed that the pull of the imprint is strong enough that the relationship automatically when turn into a romantic one. You and Paul are clearly different and they are...unhappy with the current outcome.” Sam explained. Paul fixed Maya with a hard stare. 

 

“Sorry I’m not willing to get knocked up at 18.” She said, her eyes flickering to Sam. 

 

“Hey,” Paul warned Maya. “Take it easy. That’s not what Sam is saying.” Maya scoffed. 

 

“That doesn’t change the fact that you should have told me what was going on, Paul!” 

 

“Okay, hold on,” Sam said stepping in front of Paul who was taking steps toward Maya. “Maya, I’m on your side. I’m fine with the relationship you and Paul have. I don’t agree with this pressure the council is putting on Paul. But...that’s what I wanted to talk to you about.” 

 

Maya looked back to Sam before he continued. “We need you to….consider…ugh,” Sam said. “Emily.” He looked to her for help. 

 

“We need you to put on a little bit of show..for Paul’s sake. Just to get the council off of him and to make them think you guys are...more than what you are. That way, you two can continue on in peace, Paul gets out from under them, and the pressure gets taken off of both of you,” she explained gently. Maya looked from her to Paul, incredulous. 

 

“A show?” she said, “Like you want me to pretend that we’re….” 

 

“Together,” Sam confirmed. “Just in front of the council. I honestly don’t think it will take much more than some hand holding, but it’s different from how you two normally act so…” 

 

“This is stupid, she doesn’t have to do this. I can handle them,” Paul said defensively. Maya considered this as she looked at Paul. It’s not that they didn’t touch, but she did notice that they both tried to give each other a wide berth except for those moments on the couch in the low light of the living room. Innocent enough. 

 

“No! It’s fine. If it gets them off of your back...then let’s do it,” Maya conceded. Paul looked at her with surprise. 

 

“You sure?” he said after a long moment. Maya nodded. 

 

“I was cast as the lead in our production of Beauty and the Beast last fall. If I can pretend to be in love with Hector Skick, I can pull this off.”

 

She could do this. A pang of worry pulled through Maya’s stomach at the thought of Paul being close to her for an extended period of time. Her mind flickered back to his hands on her hips in the dark club, squeezing her thigh and playing with the tip of her braid on the couch, his hand in her hair. She could do this. The look of want on Paul’s face was clear and he swallowed hard. Could he do this? She wondered. 




Chapter 12: Don't wake a sleeping bear

Chapter Text

I hate to lie. But to lie for someone I love or care about was worth it. The problem with lying though is that sometimes, you find yourself slipping too easily in the lie and all of the sudden, you arrive at the bottom where the truth lives. There’s nothing more dangerous for a lie than the truth. I can lie. I can lie easy. I just worry that when I do, my truth will come screaming out and everyone will see it for what it is. 


“Mom!” Maya called as she came down the stairs, fixing her thin gold hoop earrings in. She was going all out tonight to make sure and sell it. She wore a tight, ribbed lavender dress with thin straps and a slit that came up to her thigh. She threw her fitted jean jacket over the dress and cuffed the sleeves so that the gold bracelets Jeremy gave her and the beaded one Paul gave her were on full display. She finished it by threading her gold trio necklaces around her neck.

 

She wore her thick hair down in billowing waves and tapped on some peachy lip tint that paired well with her peachy blush. She looked like springtime. At the bottom of the stairs, Maya spotted her mom coming up the hallway as she slipped on her brown ankle boots.

 

“Oooh! You look nice!” Her mom said.

 

“Paul is picking me up so we can go to the bonfire together. Is that okay?” she said casually. To sell this, Maya had to make sure all of her actions seemed normal as if it were a request she’d make any other day...even if it most definitely was not. Her mother’s eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Oh! Yeah...sure I mean, that’s totally fine! Are you two—?” Rish started to ask conspiratorially. But Maya just gave her a noncommittal shrug and an elated smile that told her she had a secret. Rish swelled up like a balloon. Clearly, the council had gotten to her as well. “Well, have fun!” she said, the smile nearly cracking her face.

 

“Thanks mom!” Maya said as she threw her bag over her shoulder and darted out the front door. Paul was pulling down the driveway. Maya walked up to the car with purpose and before Paul could put it in park to open the passenger door for her, she had yanked it open and climbed in. Paul was wearing a long sleeve dark green shirt and dark wash jeans. He hadn’t bothered shaving the stubble growing in on his jaw and Maya loved it.

 

“Hey,” she breathed.

 

“Hey,” he said, taking in the tight dress that clung to her body. “You ready?” Maya gave him a reassuring smile and nodded.

 

“Let’s do this.”

 

Maya had made sure to text Keye and Becks to tell them what was going on so that 1) they wouldn’t be totally thrown off when Paul and her showed up being more affectionate than they’d ever been and 2) to help sell it.

 

When they pulled into the clearing, Paul gave her one last look—one that she couldn’t quite read: was he nervous?— before he hopped out and came around to the passenger door. When he opened it, he extended his hand to her and she slipped it into his easily. 

 

She stepped down and threaded her fingers through his tightly and tried to settle the rush of butterflies floating around her body. It felt electric holding his hand and she tried to squash the feeling from rising to her face. You do this everyday, remember? She told herself. Easy.

 

“My!” Keye said across the clearing, giving her a wave. She was already amongst the throng of Sam’s pack. Maya returned the wave and gave Paul a bright smile. The council was there on the other side already watching them carefully.

 

As Maya pulled Paul forward, she threaded his arm around her waist and did the same to him to set the stage. His fingers gripped her waist instantly, sending a rush through Maya. When they reached the group, Paul kept Maya firmly in his grasp as they carried on. He gently moved the hand on her waist gently back and forth across her back sending shocks up and down her spine, but Maya kept he face even, smiling and talking with the group. 

 

At one point, Paul looked over her shoulder, she assumed to see if the council was looking, and then brought his lips to the side of her head, planting a kiss in her hair. Maya sucked in a sharp breath and her hand gripped his back. She looked up at him, a soul looking upon it’s match. He gave her a soft smile that sent shivers down her spine and Maya’s lips parted momentarily at the electricity that shot between them. Being this way with Paul was easy. And best—or possibly worst—of all was that it felt good. Maya already felt her slipping too easily into this and knew she'd have to work hard to keep her feet on solid ground. But the look in Paul's eyes made her ache and she felt her resolve slowly sink in favor of this rush of excitement he gave her. 

 

When they gathered around the bonfire for the tribal announcements, Maya slotted neatly next to him. The council’s eyes were clearly on them now, watching their faces, a look of satisfaction flitting over them. During Chief Black’s updates of the town’s community revitalization process, Paul leaned over, pressing his lips to her ear softly as he said “You look beautiful tonight by the way.”

 

Maya blushed, goosebumps sprouting on her arms and legs at the softness of his lips on the curve of her ear. She turned to look at him, their faces inches apart. She could feel his warm breath on her face. Without thinking, she brought her hand up to touch along his jawline. His eyes closed softly at the touch for a moment as she said, “Thank you.” He held her hand there for a moment and gave her a knowing smile before tugging her body closer to his, leaving his hand on her hip. Too easy. 

 

Maya only left Paul’s side that night to attend to the food table where she caught up with Becks and Keye. He watched her carefully from across the clearing as he carried on a casual conversation with Elder Leo who was patting him on the shoulder in some sort of congratulations.

 

“Seems like they’re buying it.” Becks said under her breath as they spooned some wild rice, sweet potatoes, and beans on their plates.

 

“Yeah, I think so,” Maya said, glancing up at Paul every chance she got. Every so often, their eyes would connect and he’d flash her secret smile that she would return before dropping her eyes.

 

“You guys play it really well,” Keye said with a look in her eye that said she knew why it came to them easily.

 

“We have to make it convincing. Don’t get it twisted,” Maya shot back, looking at Keye now. Keye held her hands up in surrender.

 

“Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just saying you’re doing a good job.” Keye replied.

 

“Yeah. You two look really really real,” Becks confirmed. Maya glared at her and Becks let out a little laugh.

 

“Well, I’ve had enough practice with Jeremy,” Maya muttered.

 

“Ouch,” Keye said, looking at Becks. Becks shrugged.

 

“At least I get head in my not-fake relationship,” Becks retorted.

 

“OUCH!” Keye said looking back to Maya who just rolled her eyes. 

 

Just then, she spotted her mother at the other end of the row of tables talking to Elder Mila. Maya had a flash of inspiration and wondered if she should act on it. Glancing around, she met Paul’s gaze again and he gave her that burning look that sent a rush through her. That was all she needed. Maya beelined for her mother and without addressing Elder Mila, she said,

 

“Um mom, can I ask you a question?” she asked politely.

 

“Of course honey,” her mom said, turning toward her. Elder Mila watched her with a warm look on her face.

 

“Would it be alright if I stayed at Paul’s tonight?” Maya decided to shoot her shot. Her mother would say no and Elder Mila would think that Maya and Paul were sleeping together or at the very least spending the night together. Maya gave a smile to Elder Mila just to sell it more.

 

“Oh!” Rish said, surprised. Come on, mom. Do that thing you do. Rish’s eyes darted to Elder Mila and hesitated before she said, “Well….I suppose that would be alright considering..” 

 

Maya’s eyes went wide. ARE YOU FUCKING JOKING!? Never in a million years would she have imagined her mother, the woman who BIRTHED her for christ’s sake, would say yes to her spending the night with her 28 year old fake boyfriend. Had the world turned upside down? Maya opened her mouth in surprise and quickly recovered to ensure that this seemed like a totally normal request.

 

“Okay, thank you!” she squeaked, before turning on her heel and speed walking back to her friends.

 

“Be safe!” her mother called after her. Maya went bright red.

 

“What the fuck was that?” Keye asked between bites. Maya scanned the crowd.

 

“Have you seen Paul?” she asked to no one in particular.

 

“He’s with Sam I think,” Becks said idly. Maya spotted him and waited until he made eye contact with her. Her eyes were still wide and wild with what she’d just done. She realized now that she may have gotten a little carried away in the spirit of the lie and now she had gone too far.

 

Seeing the look on her face, she watched as Paul excused himself and strode over to her, worry planted in place of the burning she saw earlier. Her heart skipped just seeing him come toward her with purpose, with need. He easily wrapped an arm around her and pulled her off to the side.

 

“Everything okay?” he said, keeping his voice low. She turned to face him, his hand still gripping possessively on her waist. She would never admit how good it felt. Maya placed her hand softly on his chest and he pulled her toward him a little in response.

 

“So...I did something,” Maya said, looking up through her eyelashes at him. The burning was back in his eyes.

 

“Oh?”

 

“I might have accidentally asked my mom if I could stay with you tonight,” Maya said quickly. Paul’s eyes widened in pleasant surprise and she quickly explained. “No see… Elder Mila was with her and I thought ‘Oh perfect, I’ll ask to stay the night with you and then Elder Mila will think that we’re most definitely sleeping together’ and then my mom would say no and the lie would be sold...but,” her hand had creeped up his chest to loop around his neck absently.

 

“But she said yes?” Paul asked, searching her eyes. Maya bit her lip and she felt Paul’s hand squeeze her waist while the other planted on her hip. They were almost tangled in each other now.

 

“Yes…” Maya looked at him uncertainly. So many things flashed across Paul’s face—joy, confusion, disappointment, hesitance. She lowered her voice to a whisper, “You can just drop me off at Keye’s if you’re uncomfortable, I know that was kind of—”

 

“No,” Paul said firmly. “You can stay. It’s not like you haven’t before.” 

 

“Okay,” Maya breathed, her eyes connecting with his. Something about it felt different though. “I’ll stay with you then."

 

“Good,” he said giving her a teasing smirk.

 

“Good,” she repeated back at him, letting her hands fall.

 

“So are you ready to go now or?” Maya let out a laugh at this and the sound seemed fill Paul up with joy. She nodded her head.

 

“Sure, let’s go. I think our work here is done.” He took her hand. Maya wasn’t sure if anyone saw them leave but at this point, she really didn’t care, she was just enjoying getting to touch and be touched by Paul. She'd figure out what it meant later, but for now, she was going to lean into it.

 

Back at Paul’s place, Maya kicked off her boots and hung up her jacket feeling completely at ease. It felt like home to her now. Paul watched her appreciatively as he discarded his shoes and set his keys down on the ledge by the door.

 

“I meant what I said tonight,” he said suddenly.

 

“Hmm?” Maya asked over her shoulder.

 

“You look beautiful tonight. I really like that dress,” he said confidently.

 

“Oh!” Maya’s face warmed and she ran a hand through her hair absently. “Thank you. Since we were putting on a show, I thought I'd dress the part of the enamored girlfriend…..Oh fuck,” she said suddenly realizing something.

 

“What?” he asked as he walked past her to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

 

“I just realized, I literally have nothing here to change into.”

 

“You can wear one of my shirts again,” he said casually.

 

“Great, but like, what about the bottoms?”

 

“What are you not wearing underwear or something?” he joked, turning to face her while he took a sip of water, leaning against the counter. Maya’s mouth fell open in mild shock before she said,

 

“You can’t really wear underwear with this dress,” she taunted. Paul tensed at that, his hand holding onto the counter so tightly that she saw his knuckles whiten. His eyes swept down her body and lingered on her lower half for a minute. Maya smirked at him. She enjoyed throwing him off.

 

“I’m sure you’ve left something over here at some point. Go check my top drawer,” he said, swiveling back around to the sink to refill his water. Maya let out a skeptical noise and turned to climb up the stairs. 

 

When she pulled open the top drawer it was filled with neatly folded shorts, shirts, and sweats. She pulled a pair of sleep shorts out and looked at them. They were her size, but she didn't recognize them. But maybe she had left these over here. Curious, her eyes scanned the contents of the drawer. It was filled with stuff that looked like something she'd wear. After closer inspection, all of the clothes in the drawer were her size, but almost none of it looked familiar. She quickly changed into some sleep shorts and pulled on a tank top from the drawer and padded back downstairs.

 

“Paul?” she asked, coming around the corner. He was dropping a wet rag from behind his neck and Maya raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Yeah?” he said quickly, dropping the rag in the sink, "Sorry. Hot."

 

“Umm, what’s with all the stuff that’s my size up there? Did you...?”

 

“After Friday's incident, I just had Emily pick some things up in your size to keep here. Just in case. Came in handy.” He quirked a smile and walked past her patting her hip. She followed him upstairs.

 

“You just...got a bunch of stuff for me to keep here?” She said still confused.

 

“Yes.” he said easily. 

 

“That’s….sweet,” Maya said, crossing her arms and sitting on the bed. Paul went into the bathroom to change.

 

“They don’t call me Paul Sweet Beef Lahote for nothing,” he called from the bathroom. “I got you a toothbrush too.” Maya walked into the bathroom now.

 

“Do they really call you that?” she laughed. Her eyes flitted to his bare chest for a moment and then up to his face before grabbing her toothbrush.

 

“No, of course not,” he laughed and stood beside her. They brushed their teeth in silence. Afterward, as Maya crawled into bed, Paul walked toward the bedroom door.

 

“I’ll be downstairs on the couch if you need me,” he said, his hand hovering over the light switch. Maya opened her mouth and stuttered out.

 

“Or..or you know y-you could stay up here with….me?” Paul watched her carefully for a long moment and her heart beat rapidly in her chest.

 

“Okay,” he breathed. Without a second thought, he flipped off the light switch and padded over to the bed, climbing into it.

 

You two look really really real. Becks had said. Maya realized she was never worried about Paul slipping into the lie and losing himself. He was good at understanding the difference between real and fake. He always seemed to be in control. 

 

It was herself that she didn’t trust.

Chapter 13: There's safety in numbers

Notes:

Thank you for all the recent likes and comments on this story. I wasn't sure how it would be received, but you all seem to like it so far. Buckle up.

Chapter Text

Secrets never last. They only break apart and ruin whatever the original truth was in the first place. I was never good at keeping secrets. But in the off chance that I did need to keep one, I would guard it with my life. But when someone comes along who knows all your secrets, you end up looking like a fool. People founded in secrets never make good friends anyways.

 


Maya woke in the cool grey of Saturday morning. The wide windows were swathed with light curtains, but the light of the morning still crept into the room. A light rain sounded and Maya knew that it was very early .

 

The natural coolness of the room was nothing compared to the immense warmth Maya felt wrapped around her. Her eyes focused on the sleeping figure before her. She slept on his extended right arm and his left draped easily over her exposed waist where her tank top had ridden up. Her right leg had threaded itself between his in the night. Maya took a moment to look at him clearly, in this calm, softened state. He was beautiful, through and through. The soft lips lightly parted, the line of his jaw curved up to his high cheekbones. His thick brow framed those warm eyelids set with a swath of long lashes. Maya reached her hand out and gently stroked the softened jaw and a quiet sound emanated from him. She smiled, happy to be able to pull such sounds from him. Her hand cupped his jaw and she chanced a feel across his lips with her thumb.

 

His grip around her waist tightened then and he pulled her to him, their bodies pressed flush against one another. Maya made a little squeak of surprise and felt the soft exhale of his breath rush across her face. Her skin against his thrummed a feeling between her legs and she sucked in a quick breath. She watched his face, so close to hers now that they shared the same pillow. His face was serene and his breath even as if he was still asleep, but his hand drifted absently up and down the length of her spine, gently grazing the skin with his fingertips. Maya tucked her hand into the crook of his neck and readjusted her body ever so slightly that it pushed herself up against him. He grunted gently and barely opened his eyes.

 

“Don’t do that,” he said gruffly. The sound of it sent a thrill through Maya and she tilted her face up toward his instinctually, “I don’t want to wake up yet.” He admitted wrapping the arm that cradled her upper body around her, gripping her shoulder.

 

Maya let out a little laugh. Paul let the hand that wandered up and down her back rub on her hip gently. The wide length of his hand spanned it completely and his pinky finger slipped under the waistband of her shorts. Maya felt brand new—she didn’t recognize this person wrapped up so well in his arms. Just for now, Maya was willing to entertain this strange version of herself if it meant she could spend just a little more time this close to him.

 

As she drifted back to sleep in his arms, she felt those warm soft lips her thumb had traced press firmly to her forehead. Maya lost herself in that feeling as she let the pulsing warmth of Paul’s body lull her back to sleep.

 




“I have a plan!” Keye slapped her tray down at the lunch table. Jeremy sat next to Maya but was leaning his head into Becks in animated conversation before Keye interrupted them.

 

“Oh good,” Maya said. “What is it this time? Are we going to go streaking on Second beach in front of a gaggle of tourists? It’s a little cold.”

 

“No! Paul said you could go to the clubs in Port Angeles right?” Keye said mischievously.

 

“Uhhhh, yes technically but I just got back onto his good side from the last club we went to,” Maya said carefully.

 

“You were never not on his good side,” Keye shot back quickly, “And anyway, we’ll have chaperones like real proper LADIES this time. Right, Jeremy?” Jeremy snapped his head up and gave a laugh.

 

“If I’m considered a qualified chaperone, then absolutely. What club?”

 

“The Brothers Gemini,” Keye said decidedly. “It’s just divey enough that we could absolutely skirt in.”

 

“Can I pitch it to Paul first?” Maya said quietly.

 

“Pitch it?!” Keye said, annoyed. One look at Maya and she rolled her eyes, “Ugh, fine but you’re going no matter what.”

 

“Bossy,” Maya muttered under her breath.

 

Later that day, Maya broached the subject with Paul who was working out his workshop.

 

“Paul?” she shouted over his table saw. He paused and looked up at her and turned off the saw. “Can I ask you something?”

 

“Sure.” He took off his gloves and goggles and waited.

 

“You remember when you said I could go to clubs in Port Angeles with you or someone you trusted?”

 

“Yes?” he said uncertainly, raising his eyebrows at her.

 

“Well, Keye wants to go to this nightclub called The Brothers Gemini. Would you want to go with me?” Maya didn’t know why she was so nervous all of the sudden. He stared at her for a bit and then said,

 

“When?”

 

“Uhh,” Maya did not really ask when Keye had planned this little event for them. “Like this weekend or maybe next weekend. I’m not sure.”

 

“Well, find out and let me know. I’m out in Seattle again next weekend for a couple of days so that won’t work.” He picked up his sander and donned his goggles again.

 

“Jeremy would be going with us too, and Collin, I think,” Maya confirmed. Paul just nodded and turned on his sander, not responding. She watched him for a minute, her arms crossed in front of her before she said impulsively, “You’re going to Seattle again?”

 

He looked up at her confused and stopped the sander. “What?”

 

“You didn’t tell me you were going to Seattle again…” The echo of ache Maya had felt for those days he was away before coupled with the woman, Rachel, flashing up on his phone afterward filled her with dread.

 

“I go to Seattle a lot. You know that,” he said almost dismissively. Maya stung a little at that. She and Paul hadn’t talked about sleeping in bed together since it had happened the other week. Since then, Paul had been giving her a wide berth and would barely touch her.

 

“Well, do you have, like, a calendar or something?”

 

“A calendar?” he said a little dumbstruck.

 

“Yeah, of when you’ll be in Seattle.” she said, tucking her hands behind her back now. Paul watched her skeptically.

 

“Maya what’s going on?” he said a little suspicious.

 

“Oh my god, forget it!” she groaned, turning on her heel and heading back into the house.

 

“My!” he called after her, but she shut the door a little too hard behind her.






“Alright. What’s wrong with you?” Jeremy said as he leaned against the lockers next to hers.

 

“Shouldn’t you be making out with your girlfriend in a secluded hallway or something?” Maya muttered dropping her books into her locker with a little too much force.

 

“I absolutely would if my fake girlfriend wasn’t acting like this. What’s up? You and Paul in a fight or something?” he said.

 

“Fuck off, Jeremy,” Maya responded in a long sigh. She slammed her locker door and turned away from him making her way up the hallway.

 

“Nah see, that doesn’t work on me anymore. Tell your best friend/fake boyfriend what’s wrong, maybe I can help. I’m great at helping,” He came up behind her and wrapped an arm around her shoulder.

 

“Jer, please, I need to get to calc.” Maya said, shrugging his arm off her. She’d been moody and down and all around pissed off recently. It’s like getting to be close with Paul had opened a box in Maya that she could no longer close. And now she couldn’t figure out what to do.

 

“Come here,” he said, dragging her under the stairwell and blocking her in. “What’s going on? You’re driving Paul crazy and I have to take the brunt of that. Not to mention Becks won’t shut up about you, so I’m getting it from both ends here.”

 

Maya’s eyes went wide. She hadn’t exactly been hiding her feelings but still, “Why is Paul driving you crazy?! He’s driving me fucking crazy. He’s leaving for Seattle again and now it’s all...ugh I’m just frustrated.”

 

“Sexually?” Jeremy raised his eyebrows at her suggestively and Maya shot him a death glare.

 

“No! I haven’t gotten my letters back from my top two schools and Paul is being weird after the bonfire and finals are coming up and things are just getting…..complicated.” she said in an exhale of relief. Jeremy watched her as she unloaded. They looked incredibly intimate under the stairwell to outside eyes. “This imprint is just fucking with my head.” Maya admitted.

 

“Did you tell him that?” Jeremy asked as if it was the easiest thing in the world. Maya let out a sound of frustration and looked everywhere but Jeremy.

 

“And what do I say? ‘Hey Paul, sleeping in bed with you confused me and now not being with you like that is actually painful?’” Maya’s eyes went wide at her admission. The bell rang and Maya started at the sound. “Fuck, I’m gonna be late.” She tried moving around Jeremy but he caught her by the arm.

 

“Just try talking to him. You’ll feel better, I promise.” Jeremy said swiftly. Maya gave him a hard stare and then nodded.

 

At lunch, Keye was ecstatic. “So did you ‘pitch it’ to Paul?” she teased.

 

“Yeah, when are we wanting to go?” Maya said between bites.

 

“Next weekend!” Keye said delighted. Maya’s face fell.

 

“Paul’s in Seattle that weekend,” she grumbled.

 

“So?! Jeremy is coming and Collin confirmed, too. So it won’t be like last time. You’re coming.” Keye said definitively.

 

“Mmmm,” Maya said. She wanted to go but after the last clubbing incident she wasn’t sure if Paul would be too keen on the idea. She looked to Jeremy for some insight but he just shrugged.

 

Maya’s phone buzzed on the table and she turned it over quickly to see a number she didn’t recognize. Curious, she answered.

 

“Hi! Is this Miss Maya Sunriviere?” the cheerful male voice trilled on the line.

 

“Uh, yeah. Hold on a second,” Maya said as she looked at the confused faces around the table. She got up and made her way outside. “Sorry who is this?”

 

“Michael Che. Look, I’m sending you an email invite to share Mr. Lahote’s calendar and I just wanted to confirm that this was the correct email for you. Are you [email protected]?”

 

“Uh, yeah that’s me. Wait. What are you doing again, I’m sorry.” Maya was completely lost.

 

“I’m Mr. Lahote’s assistant. He asked me to share his personal calendar with you?”

 

“Oh!” Maya said, surprised. What the fuck, he had a personal assistant?

 

“So, I’ll just shoot the invite over that gives you permissions. You just click on the access link and it should sync it with your calendar. Sound good?”

 

“Uhhh, y-yes. Thank you!” Maya was floored and trying to throw together a coherent sentence.

 

“Of course Miss Sunriviere. Have a great day!” The line disconnected and Maya stared at her phone dumbstruck. An email immediately popped up on her phone and she opened it quickly, accepting the permissions. She scrolled through her calendar, packed with her school reminders, exam dates, and acceptances she’d noted that she received. Nestled amongst her things now were Paul’s dark glowing blue reminders—dates he was in Seattle, reminders to pick supplies up, delivery deadlines, and….Maya’s graduation...Maya’s birthday...The breath caught in her throat.

 

Maya quickly navigated to Paul’s phone number and called it. Two rings and then:

 

“My?”

 

“Hey.”

 

“You alright?”

 

“Yeah! Yeah of course. Your assistant Michael just called me…” She trailed off.

 

“You asked if I had a calendar.”

 

“I know… thank you. That was really unexpected and..sweet. So, thank you.” Maya cringed at her awkwardness.

 

“No problem. Was there something else?” He asked, a little distracted.

 

“Oh, umm,” Maya didn’t want to let him go just yet. “Keye said we’re going to that club next weekend, but I think you’re out of town? Jeremy and Collin are going though so it should be okay, right?”

 

“Mmm. I don’t know, My. I’d feel better if I was there.”

 

“You said I could go with someone you trusted. And I’m going with two people you trust, so what’s the big deal?” Maya was trying to keep her tone even.

 

“Look, My. I gotta go. We’ll talk about it later, but I don’t think it’s a good idea. So I’m saying no for now.” She heard him shouting out at someone.

 

“Wait! Paul?!” She said as he disconnected the line suddenly. When she walked back into the lunchroom, Keye perked up.

 

“All good?” she asked.

 

“Oh yeah, we’re green to go for next weekend,” Maya said confidently.

 




After about two hours of begging, convincing, and Paul conferring with Jeremy and Collin, he finally agreed that Maya could go to Port Angeles with Keye and Becks. Jeremy was required to run interference at the club and Maya had promised to come back to Paul’s that night so that she would be there in the morning when he got back from Seattle.

 

That next Saturday, Maya was at Keye’s again getting ready. Collin and Jeremy were sitting on her bed and the fluffy chair that sat under her window patiently. Well, sort of.

 

“Gah come on, Keye! At this rate we’re not going to get there until well past midnight.” Collin complained. Maya laughed and finished her hair, giving herself another look in the mirror. She’d opted for a black miniskirt and cropped pink halter top with poofy sleeves. She paired it with some white keds and wore her hair half up. She went heavy on the pink blush giving her a rosy, young look. With Jeremy and Collin attending, she didn’t think they would question the age of the women since they looked well over 18 with their height alone.

 

“Fucking. Chill.” Keye said as she straightened the tight blue strappy dress and brushed out the curls in her hair so that it billowed out around her. Maya casually snapped a full length picture of herself in the mirror and texted it to Paul. Risky, she thought. She followed it up with a text that read.

 

M: About to head out for the night. Wish my white Keds luck.

 

Paul read it immediately and the three little dots made Maya’s heart skip.

 

Paul: You’re killing me .🔥

 

P: Attachment1.jpg

 

Maya let out a squeak of excitement and opened the picture he sent her. He was sitting in a black t-shirt, with what looked like a highball glass of whiskey in his hand in a darkened lounge. The small smirk on his face made Maya clench her legs together reflexively and she quickly texted back.

 

M: This could be us, but you’re playing in Seattle.

 

“Jer, come here,” she called him over. He hopped out of the bed and came up behind her as she raised her phone for a picture. He wrapped his arms around her waist and set his head next to hers making a goofy face. Maya laughed as she clicked the capture button and sent it to Paul.

 

“You’re gonna get me murdered,” Jeremy said when he realized she sent it to Paul.

 

“Oh please,” Maya muttered.

 

“Let’s gooooo!” Collin said, grabbing a squealing Keye from the mirror. Becks came out from her walk in closet now donned in a dark ripped jeans and lacey black bodysuit top. Jeremy’s jaw dropped at the sight of her.

 

P: Nothing reckless tonight. Promise me.

 

M: Imprint’s honor.

 

She imagined him laughing at that and as they climbed into Jeremy’s jeep to head to Port Angeles, she ached for him again.


The club was overflowing with people and the bouncers hardly glanced at Maya and her friends as they walked in, seemingly distracted by the amount of trouble breaking out in and around the club. Maya stayed close to the group at first but as the night carried on, she found herself further and further away dancing with and around other people. Jeremy and Collin were swept up in Becks and Keye and Maya enjoyed watching them from the bar when she needed a break from the overwhelming amount of sweaty bodies pressing into her.

 

When she was on her fourth drink, she pulled out her phone and checked her texts.

 

2 new text messages

 

Maya smiled. They were from Paul. She knew they were even before she opened them.

 

Paul: Still thinking about how good you look tonight.

 

P: Text me when you get back home. I don’t care how late it is.

 

Maya: No one in this club meets my height requirement. This is bullshit.

 

Her phone lit back up almost immediately.

 

P: I set the bar ridiculously high.

 

M: It doesn’t help that you’re also very good looking.

 

Maya hit send without rereading, the alcohol making her bolder. She also just wanted things to feel better between them since they’d felt so awkward after the bonfire night.

 

P: If you think I’m good looking, just imagine how good you look to me.

 

M: Change your flight so you can come home and sleep in bed with me.

 

P: Are you drunk?

 

M: I dare you.

 

P: You’re drunk.

 

M: I double dog dare you.

 

P: Don’t threaten me with a good time, Maya Sun.

 

“Vodka, soda, and lime,” a voice said next to her. It was ridiculously smooth, almost alluring. Maya looked toward the voice and saw a handsome face, dark eyes, and incredibly pale skin. He was wearing a sleek black jacket and dark jeans, an interesting choice for a club. His dirty blonde hair was swooped up in a 90’s heartthrob style and Maya was taken aback by him.

 

“Excuse me?” she said over the music.

 

“Your drink,” he lifted a finger toward the bartender and pointed toward Maya’s almost empty drink. The bartender refilled and set a fresh one before her. Maya glanced suspiciously at the mysterious man.

 

“Thanks,” she took the drink and sipped tentatively. Thinking that the man would try and engage her further, she turned back toward the club. He nodded and turned back to a person next to him and Maya wrote it off. Something about him set her teeth on edge and the hairs on her neck to standing.

 

Maya lost herself in the crowd of people, swaying and vibing to the music. She was crossing the line from comfortably drunk to sway-on-your-feet-nearing-blackout drunk. The fifth drink really did her in. After a few songs of letting the sweaty collective body of the crowd move and sway her, she found her way toward the bathroom. Bathrooms filled with drunk women were always safe spaces for Maya. She took longer than was necessary to try and get her bearings, dipping her head under the dirty sink to try and sip some extra water.

 

When she stumbled out of the bathroom, the mysterious man caught her eye again as he walked past toward a door that she assumed led to the alley next to the club. Under his arm was a woman in a tight blue dress, barely able to stand on her own two feet.

 

Keye?!

 

Maya’s mind was kicking into overdrive. She glanced around the club frantically looking for Collin or Jeremy. Was that really Keye? Her heart hammered in her chest as she felt a unique sense of dread pull over her. When she wasn’t able to locate anyone from her group, she hurried after the mysterious man and Keye, bursting through the side door and into the alley. He had her up against the cold brick wall and she was making strange struggling noises.

 

“HEY!” Maya yelled. The mysterious man paused and turned to look at Maya. She could see now that it was Keye and he had his hand around her neck. “Let her the fuck go.” Maya said. In the moonlight, the man looked ghoulish in palor. He dropped his hand from Keye’s neck and she stumbled a few steps away up the alley.

 

“That’s alright. I wanted you anyway,” he said, flashing her a viscous grin. Maya’s eyes went wide and before she could turn to yank the door open, the man had grabbed her by the neck, lifted her effortlessly off her feet and slammed her against the brick wall. Keye was terrified behind him and Maya, gripping the man’s wrist with her two hands could only choke out two words:

 

“Keye. Run!” Keye got up and sprinted down the alley, hopefully to find help. Maya could only feel the crushing cold of the man’s hand tight around her throat—she thought her neck might snap. Why was he so cold? His breath smelled like rotting flesh and his eyes flashed red under the dim lamplight. As Maya felt her vision fade, she heard a low grumbling noise down the alley. In a flash, she felt a white hot burn that spanned the length of her arm as she dropped to the cold ground in a heap. She begged her eyes to pull open, and through her dimming vision, she saw a roiling swath of fur viciously tearing over something in the alley. Snapping and snarling ensued and Maya felt a warm wet river flow down her arm. When she looked down, she was in a quickly spreading pool of blood coming from her arm.

 

“Oh fuck!” she thought she heard Collin’s voice say. Someone’s hand wrapped around the arm gushing blood and she let out a whimper.

 

“We need to get her to a hospital!” Becks’ voice rang clear through her head. She had the distinct feeling of being lifted and with that, Maya’s world went black.

Chapter 14: Kicking over stones

Chapter Text

When I was seven, I remember my dad would always take me to this creek to play. I loved finding geckos and frogs nestled in the corners, covered by ferns and hanging sweet grass. When you’re young, shoving your hand into a dark, muddy hollow in the riverbank isn’t scary. But it only takes one bite before you start jumping back when you start kicking over stones. 

 





Maya felt foggy as she opened her eyes in the too bright room. She heard muffled voices and calls for doctors over intercoms. The faint ringing of phones could be heard in the distance. Maya groaned and swung her injured arm up. It felt incredibly heavy. 

 

“Hey, woah.” Becks said standing next to Maya now and grabbing her hand to tug it back down. “Maya chill, we’re here.”

 

“Where is here?” Maya mumbled, still volleying between awake and sleep. 

 

“The hospital. You hurt your arm pretty bad. Needed 22 stitches.” Becks replied softly. 

 

“Fuck,” she slurred. “Should call Paul,” Maya sighed.

 

“He’s meeting us at Sam’s.” Collin said quietly. He was sitting in a chair off to the side. “They should be discharging you soon.” 

 

“Mmm.” Maya said, falling back asleep. 

 

When Maya woke up next, she was in the back of Jeremy’s jeep. Becks was sitting with her and Keye was in the front seat. Collin drove, but Jeremy was nowhere to be found. 

 

“Hey, how are you feeling?” Becks said. Maya was laying down in the back seat, her legs draped over Becks’ lap. 

 

“I feel okay, I think. Are we almost home?” Maya said sleepily. Her neck felt tender, so she tried not to move her head too much. 

 

“Almost.” Collin said, looking in the rearview mirror at her. 

 

Once they pulled up to Sam and Emily’s bungalow, Maya was overwhelmed by a wave of nausea. 

 

“Oh god,” she groaned. She popped open the passenger door behind her head and she pulled herself over the side hurling onto the damp earth below.

 

“Oh fuck My,” Becks said. Keye jumped out of the front seat and hurried toward her, holding Maya’s hair out of her face and standing to the side as Maya emptied her stomach. 

 

“Fucking rough,” Keye said quietly. “Let’s get her inside.” Sam and Emily were hurrying down the porch toward them and Collin hefted Maya from the back seat in his arms to take her inside. 

 

“I need to sit up, I’m spinning,” she mumbled as Collin tried to set her down on the couch. Instead, he took her over to the kitchen and set her in a sitting position on the counter. Emily was there filling a glass of water and handing it to her while taking a damp cloth and running it around her face. 

 

“Are you okay?” Emily reached for Maya’s arm and took it in hers gently. Maya nodded as she gulped down some water. Sam was standing to the side, arms crossed and looking at her seriously. “Paul should be here soon but let’s get you cleaned up, yeah? Becks?” Emily called over her shoulder. They helped Maya down off the counter and walked her slowly toward the bathroom. 

 

As Emily filled up the bathtub, Becks sat Maya on the toilet seat and lifted the halter top over her head. Maya winced as her neck moved and Becks leaned down to look at the clear red prints that were morphing into deep purple bruises. 

 

“What happened?” Maya said just above a whisper. 

 

“You were attacked.” Becks said simply, shooting a look at Emily. “Here, stand up.” She pulled Maya up under her arms and helped her out of her skirt and underwear. Once she was completely naked, Emily and Becks helped lower her into the bath.

 

They washed her hair, face, and body, careful to keep her bandaged arm outside of the tub and mind her neck. Maya tried to get the events of last night straight in her head but it was all still a big  blur. She remembered the inhuman hiss of the man who held her against the brick wall and the flash of red eyes. But that was all. 

 

They dressed Maya in sweats that must have been Emily’s and a baggy t-shirt. Becks combed out Maya’s long hair quickly and gently patted her face dry. 

 

“Is Keye okay?” Maya asked suddenly. Becks nodded and smiled. 

 

“She’s fine. Come on.” Becks took her hand and led her out into the living room. Jeremy was sitting on the couch with his head in his hands and when he heard them come in, he sprang up from the couch immediately and walked toward Maya. 

 

“Maya! I’m so so so sorry!” He pulled her into a tight hug and she winced when her arm got trapped against his chest. 

 

“Why are you sorry? Are you okay?” Maya pulled back and let out a soft ‘ouch’ as she unbent her arm next to her. 

 

“Oh god, your arm. Does it hurt?” Jeremy said, touching it gently. “My, I’m so sorry. I should have been there sooner!” His face was pulled in pain and Becks was next to him now, tugging at his arm as if to pull him aside or calm him down. Anything to get him away from Maya for now. 

 

“What do you mean—?” Maya started but she heard a sharp crunch of dirt outside as if someone skidded to a stop and the slam of a car door.

 

“MAYA?!” Paul rushed through the door. His eyes locked with hers across the room and his terror faded to relief. “My!” he breathed as he moved quickly across the room, crashing into her and pulling her into his arms tightly. Maya wrapped her arms around him, letting the familiar relief rush through her. He stroked her hair as he breathed into her ear: “Are you okay? Fuck, I’m so sorry I wasn’t here—”

 

He pulled back and cupped her face in his hands, the joy of seeing her again clear. His eyes flicked down to her bandaged arm now and suddenly, his relief flipped into full rage.

 

“What the FUCK happened?!” Both of his hands were on her bandaged arm now. His voice boomed across the space. 

 

“Paul,” Maya tried to bring him down, her hand cupping his jaw now but he started to shake. He circled an arm around her waist to pull her closer, his breath pulling in and out of him quickly as he tried to calm himself. “I’m okay, look.” Maya tried to pull his face up to look in her eyes but they were trained to the bandaged arm. 

 

“It was an accident, Paul.” Jeremy said as he stood by the door. 

 

Paul tensed at the sound and turned, letting go of her slowly, but slipping his hand into hers to have contact. “There are no accidents when it comes to imprints. What the FUCK HAPPENED?!” 

 

“Maya, come here.” Collin said softly behind her. He gently grasped her waist and pulled her from Paul’s grip, placing her behind him. Maya was speechless as she watched Paul start to shake violently again, his eyes trained on Jeremy now. Keye was next to her, placing her hand in hers, with a strange look on her face that Maya couldn’t quite understand. 

 

“Paul.” Sam said as a warning from the kitchen. But Paul ignored it as he walked toward Jeremy.

 

“It was an accident. I had to phase on the fly and she was too close to him.” Jeremy tried to explain.  What did that mean? Phase on the fly?

 

“Wait, you were there? I don’t remember…” Maya trailed off softly. Keye squeezed her hand.

 

Maya suddenly had a flash of the night before: the man, his icy hand holding her neck so tightly she thought it was going to snap, a flash of fur, the snarling and crushing sound of bone, and then a pool of blood around her. She could have sworn she saw a...

 

“Paul don’t.” Collin said from his place in front of Maya. The tone of his words implied some underlying meaning, something that Maya didn’t understand right away. Sam placed his hand on Paul’s shoulder to steady him. 

 

“Take her home,” he said calmly. “That’s the best thing you can do for her right now.” 

 

Paul gave Sam a sad look and his heaving breaths slowed as he regained some composure. Maya watched him, stunned, from behind Collin and when his eyes met hers, the anger melted away. He reached his hand out to her and Maya automatically stepped out from behind Collin to take it. 

 

“My,” Keye said worriedly trying to keep her hand, but Collin stopped her and gave her a short shake of his head—a warning. Maya looked over her shoulder at Keye, her hand tightly clasped in Paul’s now as he started to pull her toward the door. Keye glanced from Collin to Maya hurriedly before she said in a rushed voice, “Be careful.” 

 

Maya was confused. She was with Paul, what could be safer?  

 





Maya woke hours later in a darkened room, with warm arms circled around her. Pain pulsed through her injured arm now and she groaned gently in recognition. The arms circling her pulled her closer and her back pressed tighter against a bare chest. Soft breath blew on her hair and Maya nestled in against the curve of Paul’s body. After a few minutes, she turned in his arms to face him. His hands rested on her lower back. 

 

“What time is it?” Maya whispered, her voice felt hoarse. The curtains were closed and she couldn’t tell if it was day or night. 

 

“Mmm, late I think.” his hand traced small circles under her shirt. “How’s your arm?” He opened his eyes now and Maya felt breathless all of the sudden.

 

“It’s fine, I think. Just a little achy now that the pain meds are wearing off.” 

 

“Okay,” Paul groaned as he untangled himself from her and pushed upright on the bed. 

 

“Wait, where are you going?” Her voice was definitely hoarse and moving her neck sent a shot of pain down her spine making her wince with a sharp ‘Ah!’. 

 

“Getting you some pain meds and water. Wait here.” He got up and walked into the bathroom. Maya sat up in the bed, resting her back against the wooden frame and tentatively brought a hand up to touch her neck and winced. Paul was back with water and pills and sat on the edge of the bed next to her. He held out each and she took them gratefully. He opened the curtains and the late afternoon sun drifted in and out of the low hanging clouds. 

 

“It’s the afternoon,” he said as he turned to face her. Then his eyes went wide in shock. “Fuck!” he said as he came back over to her kneeling on the bed and gently placing his hands on either side of her face to extend her neck up. “Your neck is fucking purple!” The anger was back and Maya could feel a tremor shake the bed. She winced in pain and sucked in a sharp breath as her hands shot up to hold onto his wrists. 

 

“Ow, Paul take it easy,” she gasped. He immediately dropped his hands and looked at her in horror. “Before I fell, that dude choked me half to death.” Maya rasped. The pain in Paul’s eyes was apparent now and Maya sighed. “I’m fine. Wrong place, wrong time.” 

 

Paul shook his head and stood up suddenly. “This shouldn’t have happened at all. I should have been there!” he nearly shouted. 

 

“Okay, woah, bring it down.” Maya pleaded. Paul was clearly spiraling. “You can’t be everywhere at once. Give yourself a break.” Paul looked at her angrily now, but she knew he was just mad at himself. He turned and stomped down the stairs and Maya couldn’t even raise her voice to call after him. 

 

Instead, she decided to let him cool off and used the bathroom and brushed her teeth. As she was combing out her hair that had dried in disheveled waves, she heard him shouting. He must have been on the phone. Maya changed into something lighter and opted for some short sleep shorts that she rolled up a little higher and a fitted t-shirt. Cuddling with Paul was sweltering sometimes.

 

She padded down the stairs carefully and when she rounded the corner into the kitchen she saw Paul leaning over the sink, his shoulders shaking. 

 

“Paul, you have got to calm down,” she pleaded as she walked over to him and placed a hand on his back. When she leaned to look at him in the face, she saw clear tears in his eyes. “Hey” she said, ducking under his arm and circling her arms around his back, pressing her face into his chest. “It’s okay.” 

 

He gripped her tightly and kissed the top of her head before saying, “I could have lost you My.” 

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. I’m right here. I’m fine.” 

 

“Stop saying your fine!” he said frustrated and pulled back to look at her. “Maya, you’re throat is fucking black and blue and your arm was slashed from your wrist to your elbow. He barely missed your fucking artery. You could of bled out in that alley and I was in Seattle doing fuck all! Stop saying you’re fine.” 

 

“But I am fine!” Maya retorted, her eyes filled with tears now. She didn’t know how to tell him that she was just so relieved to be with him. The fear she had felt last night as the strange man with red eyes held her in his grasp was always waiting for her now in her nightmares, but being with Paul set her at ease. 

 

“If anything happened to you, I don’t know—” Paul choked a little and tried to pull himself together. “My whole fucking job is to protect you. And you got hurt, on my time. I can’t—.” 

 

“I’m—” 

 

“My!” he warned, his eyes flashed. Maya gave him a small reassuring smile. 

 

“I’m doing well,” she revised. He let out a chuckle and put a hand to her cheek. Maya burned at the look he gave her now. “Can we…..eat something? I’m starving.” She rasped. “And maybe some tea?” She held a hand gently to her throat. He smiled and Maya was just glad that the shaking was gone. 

 

“Yeah, go sit down.”

 

“I want to stay in here with you.” Maya said quickly before she had time to steady herself. Paul raised an eyebrow at her and then said, “Alright” easily and without hesitation, he lifted her by the waist to set her on the counter next to the stove. Paul brought her tea and she sipped it slowly while she watched him work in the kitchen. Each time he needed to move past her, he made sure to touch a part of her—her leg, her uninjured arm, her cheek, her waist. Each touch sent a thrill through Maya. 

 

After they ate, Maya sighed.

 

“Good?” he said. 

 

“Really good. I feel so much better,” she breathed. Maya looked over her shoulder and spotted her bag by the door. She thought she should text her mom and let her know where she was and maybe call to check on Keye. When she pushed back from the table, Paul’s eyes followed her before he got up to gather their dishes and clean them at the sink. Maya dug in her purse and pulled out her phone only to let out a gasp. It was mangled. The screen was shattered beyond belief and the back of it was ripped apart, plastic parts of it nearly shredded. 

 

“Fuck!” she groaned. 

 

“What?” Paul called from around the corner. Maya brought her phone and held it out to him. 

 

“My phone is fucking destroyed.”

 

“Must have fell in the alley when you got hurt.” He took it from her hand and turned it over in his. “I’ll get you a new one.” he threw the mangled mess on the counter and Maya huffed. 

 

“Paul no.” she said dismissively as she put a hand to her head. She was suddenly tired again and just wanted to lay down. 

 

“Stop.” He said firmly. Her eyes snapped to his. “Just let me do this for you. Please.” All of the air left Maya as she felt a wave of exhaustion move over her. 

 

“Fine. Can we go back to bed?” He looked at her with surprise. 

 

“Sure.” He didn’t move from his spot though. 

 

“Okay. Can you….come with me?” her eyes pulled down with want and Paul’s mouth fell slightly ajar. 

 

“Yeah...yeah of course. Come on,” he said, walking toward her and placing a hand on her waist. 

 

“Can you text my mom and let her know I’m here though? I don’t want her to worry,” she said as she climbed the stairs with Paul behind her. 

 

“Yeah.” 

 

Over the next few hours, Maya drifted in and out of sleep and always woke in a new position, tangled up in Paul—she woke nestled into his side with his arm wrapped tightly around her waist; then with her body laid across his chest and his hand in her hair; then between his legs, her arms wrapped around his midsection and her cheek pressed into his stomach as he sat up against the headboard with his laptop to one side and typing.

 

At one point, she woke up in an empty bed, completely dazed and unsure of the time. She heard the shower running as light streamed under the bathroom door. Maya listened to the sound of splattering water on the other side and imagined Paul’s large naked frame doused in steaming water. Her heart fluttered and she placed a hand between her legs to quell the feeling that rose there. Being this close to him for so long made it easy for her body to volley between complete calm and then intense want. 

 

She heard the shower shut off and let her fingers idle between her thighs a moment longer before the door opened, washing the room in warm light. His bottom half was wrapped in a soft white towel and his upper body was glistening with warm water. 

 

Whether he didn’t see her or didn’t care, Paul strode over to his dresser and let the towel drop, with his back to her. Maya marveled at his naked backside and her heart hammered in her chest. He slipped on some sweats and stooped to pick up the towel before turning to see her leaning up in bed. 

 

“Hey.” She said softly. 

 

“Hey.” he returned, coming to sit next to her. “Feeling okay? Need more pain meds?” He ran a hand over her forehead and through her hair. Maya shook her head and tucked some hair behind her ear. “I called your mom last night, told her you were staying with me. She seemed okay.” 

 

“I should get home soon,” she croaked. “What time is it?” 

 

“It’s still early, you’ve been in and out all night. But, I want to take you to the doctor this morning so he can look at your throat.” He said touching it gingerly. 

 

“Okay,” Maya conceded. She understood that the easiest course of action was to go along with Paul’s need to protect her so that he could let go of some of the guilt Maya saw clearly painted in his eyes. 

 

“Michael ordered you a new phone, it should be here tonight.” He continued as he got up and pulled a shirt out of the drawer now. Maya was somewhat disappointed that he covered up his chest and she tried to hide the look of want from her face. 

 

“Thank you,” she said. He gave her a small smile. “I feel much better after getting some sleep. Thank you for staying with me.” 

 

“I’m not going to leave your side for the foreseeable future,” he murmured. Maya laughed and flung her legs over the side of the bed pulling herself up. Paul reached for her and she let him wrap an arm around her and pull her into him. 

 

“I figured.” Maya sighed. He touched the tip of her chin with his thumb and index finger. Maya didn’t realize how close to death she had been before in that alley, but wrapped in Paul’s arms now, she felt entirely and wildly alive. 

Chapter 15: You don't own me

Chapter Text

I wouldn’t say I’m a naturally angry person. Anger is an easy emotion and in a flash it can ruin things. But there were definitely instances where my need to be angry superseded everything else. The first instance I know of was when Mallory Sestille stole Becks’ Barbie coloring book in the first grade and denied it. She called me a liar in front of everyone when I confronted her and said I was just jealous that she had something I did not. At recess, when I tried to steal it back from her, a tussle ensued and it ended with Mallory’s face square in the mud to my satisfaction. But once the anger ebbed, I always felt empty. Which was somehow worse. Mallory Sestille never messed with Becks again though. 

 





March had passed by without further incident, mostly due to the fact that Maya was rarely able to leave Paul’s sight. She spent most of her days with him and when she wasn’t with him, she was at her parents house or school. 

 

He didn’t trust Jeremy to be around her anymore but Maya had talked him off a ledge when she said it was kind of impossible for her to avoid him at school considering he and Becks were still very much a thing. 

 

Toward the end of March, he had to take a trip to Seattle for work and nearly demanded that she come with him. But Maya pushed back, citing school and upcoming finals. Not to mention, she still hadn’t heard back from Columbia or Princeton and was starting to worry. 

 

“You said I was safest on the rez, right?” Maya said one night before he was scheduled to leave for a few days. They were at Sam and Emily’s for a pack dinner. Sam and Emily were on the porch and Maya had her legs draped over Paul’s lap on the porch swing. 

 

“Yeah, but—” he started. 

 

“Then I’ll stay on the rez.” Maya said firmly. Paul made a noise of frustration and stood up, lifting her legs off of him. He stomped down the beach toward the rest of the pack and Maya let out a long sigh. 

 

“He’ll ease up, just give him time,” Emily said softly, “He still carries a lot of guilt about that night and it’s hard for them when an imprint gets hurt.” 

 

Maya knew this. She could feel it on him whenever he nearly crushed her in a hug. Her arm was healing well, with only a pink line fading into a light scar. The bruises on her neck had faded too and she was almost whole, minus the near constant nightmares. 

 

Maya still couldn’t fully remember what had happened the night that she had gotten hurt, but more and more, she had the nagging suspicion that Keye and Becks had seen more than they were willing to share. Each time she tried to bring it up to them over a study session or lunch, they’d casually change the subject. Secrets drove Maya crazy, but if they weren’t willing to offer additional information, she stayed stuck in the fog of her own lacking memory. 

 

The tension between her and Paul was steadily rising as well. His constant need to watch over her threw them together more often than not. She was staying over at his house regularly, much to her mother’s delight and her father’s uneasy complicity. Maya felt simultaneously overwhelmed with joy at getting to be so close to Paul and at the same time completely suffocated. She knew the former was the work of the imprint and she tried to not let herself recline in it too long, but it was impossible when she was always with him. 

 

He’d even started coming over to her house for dinner once a week to get to know her parents more and spread out on her bed while she did homework. It was kind of sweet watching him move through her room for the first time. His broad frame looked so out of place amongst her delicate, soft room. But Maya couldn’t help but feel entirely tread on. 






Once April had arrived and spring break was upon her, she thought Paul would start to ease up. They were well past the incident, he was taking trips to Seattle again with regularity, and they were finding an easy rhythm. 

 

On one unseasonably warm April day, Maya set up on the back deck at Paul’s in her red bikini to sunbathe. It was still almost too cold to do it, but Maya was determined to soak in some extra sun. Not to mention, she needed some persuasive aid to get him to agree to what she was going to ask him. After about 20 minutes, he came out through the back door and stalled instantly when he saw her laid out, nearly naked.

 

“What are you doing?” his eyes were glued to her body in the small red bikini. 

 

“Getting a pre-tan for the SoCal trip.” Maya said, readjusting her sunglasses and not moving to look at him. He stayed by the door, not wanting to get closer. Paul had never seen her this undressed before—that had been her plan though. Take him off guard and then swoop in for the kill. 

 

“What SoCal trip?” He asked. Maya tensed a little at this, steeling herself. 

 

“We’re all heading down to SoCal for a few days. I shouldn’t be gone longer than a week.” She breezed past the brunt of it. Maya knew it was risky to tell rather than ask with him, but she was determined to get him to loosen his grip on her a little and confidence was key. 

 

“What?” He sounded genuinely confused. 

 

“The senior trip...everyone goes to blow off steam and swim in water that isn’t freezing.” Maya responded easily. Here it comes.

 

“No.” Paul said simply moving toward his workshop now.

 

“No?” Maya yanked her sunglasses up and leaned up to turn and look at him. 

 

“You’re not going to that.” He pulled open his workshop doors.

 

“What why!?” Maya jumped to her feet now and Paul’s eyes immediately shot over to her, raking over her body. 

 

“Because it’s a huge drive with a bunch of reckless kids, no way. Plus—” he gestured to her body and she looked down at her swimsuit. 

 

“Plus what?!” she said annoyed. 

 

“You? On a beach like that? No way.” The jealousy was clear in his voice and Maya glared at him. 

 

“Well, thank you for your concern, but I’m still going.” Maya put her hands on her hips and heard that growl rumble in his throat. Paul wasn’t great with acts of defiance but to be fair, Maya was more reckless when it came to Paul than she had been throughout her entire life. Maybe it was just the need to rebel against the imprint, but the tighter he held onto her, the more Maya wanted to fight back. But like a slingshot, she’d always rocket back toward him, the imprint pull almost too much for her, and she’d settle in his arms for a bit before trying again. Right now, she was straining against the straps of the slingshot and Paul was tense.

 

“No you’re not.” he said with a firm tone, his eyes commanding and clear, locked with hers. 

 

“You’re not my keeper. You can’t tell me where I can and cannot go.” Maya snapped before she realized what she’d said. Paul was simmering under the surface, his eyes burned with the truth of the statement. He desperately wanted to keep her, Maya knew that. 

 

“You’re my imprint. And I’m not letting you out of my sight, especially not after what just happened.” Maya flinched at this. 

 

“Then let Collin go with me!” Her voice was rising now.

 

“Because Collin is the beacon of responsibility?” he scoffed, dismissively. Maya was going red in the face now with anger. 

 

“Fine, then Jeremy.” She knew this wouldn’t fly, but she said it anyway, even if just to get a rise out of him now that there wasn’t any winning. 

 

Paul shook his head “Not a chance, Maya. End of discussion.” Maya let out a frustrated groan and turned back to lay on the deck. There was no reasoning when he was like this. “Go inside and put some clothes on.” He grumbled more to himself. 

 

Maya ignored him and Paul blasted music from his workshop as he started working. 




“What do you mean he said no?!” Keye said from her bed as she flipped through her College Algebra textbook. Maya was across from her sitting in the fluffy white egg chair by the window, scribbling notes for her Economics class. 

 

“Just what I said, I thought the bikini would distract him enough to agree to anything,” Maya said with a little laugh and then her face fell serious, “But he didn’t budge. He’s still on the ‘Not after what happened’ excuse.” 

 

“Well, just come anyway,” Keye said casually. 

 

“Oh, yeah, like that won’t spectacularly backfire. A raging Paul in SoCal scooping me up embarrassingly from the beach in front of literally everyone?” Maya cringed with embarrassment at the thought. He would do it too. 

 

“My, this is fucking weird. What is he going to do when you go to college? Barricade the door?” Keye said angrily. Maya tensed at this and didn’t meet her eyes for a second. Paul and her hadn’t touched the topic of college since the car conversation. “Hello?” Keye waved at her from the bed. “Seriously My, he needs to loosen up.” 

 

“You’re telling me,” Maya gulped. “But he’s still just so wound up after what happened.” Maya broached carefully. Keye was suddenly very interested in her textbook. “It was pretty intense, right?” 

 

“Paul has a right to be worried, but he can’t keep you locked away forever,” Keye slipped. Maya looked at her strangely. 

 

“He has a right to be worried? Before you were like: ‘Maya knock him back a few pegs.’ And now he has a right?” she probed. Keye’s eyes were darting around the page of her textbook but she clearly wasn’t reading it, just buying herself some time. 

 

“You’re an easy target as an imprint. And Sam’s little protection group basically begs for danger at all times so… It makes sense that Paul’s all over you at the moment. You had a close call,” she replied cryptically. 

 

“Keye, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It wasn’t like a targeted attack or anything nefarious. That club was divey as hell.” 

 

Keye shrugged and Maya knew the conversation was already over, but she didn’t want to give up so easily.

 

“What are you not telling me?” she asked her bluntly. Maya had yet to take this approach with her friends. She thought they would eventually talk to her about it once they were over the shock of Maya’s injuries, but they never did. Instead they eluded her at every step. Keye’s eyes shot up to hers, worried. 

 

“What do you mean?” her voice was small. Keye’s voice was never small. Maya pounced. 

 

“You know what I mean, Keye. You and Becks..Jeremy. You guys aren’t telling me something about what happened that night. I’m sick of being kept in the dark. So fess up. What the fuck happened?” Maya was burning now. Her phone buzzed next to her, probably Paul, but she ignored it.  

 

“I have no idea what you’re—” Keye started slowly. 

 

“Oh fuck OFF! You do! Just tell me.” she replied angrily. Keye was at a loss, her mouth hanging open in uncertainty at what to say next. 

 

“Keye?” Keye’s mom called from down the stairs as Maya stared at her angrily. Keye gave her an exasperated look and then hopped up from her bed, yanking open her bedroom door and leaving. Maya’s phone buzzed again. 

 

Paul: I’m picking you up from Keye’s at 8:30. 

P: Have you eaten yet? 

 

Maya thought about not responding, but her resolve quickly waned. 

 

Later that night, with Paul’s arms wrapped around her waist and his lips on her shoulder drifting in and out of sleep, she whispered: 

 

“Paul, I’m gonna go on the senior SoCal trip.” Paul’s hand drifted across her stomach and he didn’t say anything for a while. 

 

“My, please.” he said quietly. His lips grazed her exposed shoulder and gave her goosebumps. 

 

“I want to go,” she pleaded. His grip tightened around her waist and she waited. 

 

“Let me think about it,” he murmured. Maya sighed and dug her head into the pillow, straining away from him, but his tight grip on her held her body in place against him. 

 




Maya played it cool for the next couple of weeks leading up to spring break. Paul still hadn’t made a decision and she was resolved to think that he was definitely not going to let her go willingly. But Keye was still pressuring her to go and Maya reassured her that she was absolutely going to make it no matter what. 

 

The last week before school let out for Spring Break, Maya was perched on Paul’s couch with her Spanish book in her lap. Paul was on a phone call outside on the back deck and her eyes darted over to his frame in the moonlight every so often. She was building up the courage to ask him one last time if she could go, but her mind was made up. The plan was to leave Saturday morning and drive through the day and night to their destination to maximize their four days. 

 

When Paul hung up and came inside he walked toward her on the couch. 

 

“Sorry,” he said sitting down next to her. “Last minute changes to this project bound for expo.” 

 

“That’s okay,” Maya said sweetly, glancing up at him and returning to practice verbs in her Spanish textbook. Paul started texting on his phone and after about five minutes of comfortable silence, Maya took a deep breath and looked up at him. “Paul?” 

 

“Yes, Maya,” he said without looking at her right away. 

 

“Have you thought about it?” she said tentatively, tapping her pencil on her textbook.

 

“Have I thought about what?” he said slowly, looking at her somewhat confused. Maya deflated and in an almost whine she said, 

 

“The SoCal trip. We’re leaving this Saturday so…” she trailed off. Paul ran a hand down his face and gave a groan. 

 

“My, we talked about this.” He said, shaking his head. 

 

“No, you said you’d think about it and I said I was going.” Maya confirmed, sitting up straighter. He set her with a stare and Maya slumped just a little under his gaze. 

 

“It’s not a good idea. I don’t feel comfortable letting you go that far for that long without—” 

 

“But Collin will be there! And Jeremy!” Maya complained. Paul opened his mouth to retort but she continued, “I know you don’t like Jeremy after whatever you think happened but it wasn’t his fault. And anyways, I’d be safe with or without them there.” 

 

“I don’t trust anyone else to keep an eye on you right now Maya. That’s just the way it is.” She stared at him for a while and he looked at her seriously again when he said, “The answer is no. It’s not safe.” Maya’s face fell and she felt the anger rising up in her now. 

 

She was never a particularly angry person, but something in the way Paul pushed her made her quick to anger sometimes. And without any good way to get it out, it normally ended up spilling out in some sort of tantrum that she always ended up regretting. But this time, she felt Paul was being totally unreasonable. 

 

“This is bullshit,” she slapped her book shut and got up off the couch, striding over to the kitchen table and shoving it in her backpack. 

 

“Maya,” Paul tried to placate from the couch. 

 

“No!” Maya said, the anger coming out now, “Paul this is fucking ridiculous. You can’t keep me here like this. I want to go with my friends, so I’m going to go.” She was walking toward the back door now with her backpack slung on her back as she pulled on her shoes. 

 

“Maya,” Paul warned as he got up now. “Stop. You know why I can’t let you go. It’s too much right now. I’m not saying you can’t go anywhere ever, but this trip is too much of a risk and I can’t go with you to keep you safe.” 

 

“Tough! I can handle myself,” her hand was on the door now and Paul was beside her grabbing her arm. 

 

“Don’t act like this.” There was anger laced in his voice now. “You’re staying here tonight, remember?” 

 

“You’re the one who’s causing this reaction, Paul. You’re being unreasonable and I don’t want to stay with you when you’re like this, so let go of me.” 

 

“You can stay upstairs and I’ll sleep on the couch.” He said firmly not letting go of her arm. 

 

“Let. Go. Of. Me. Paul,” Maya said through gritted teeth. 

 

“It’s late, you’re not walking home in the dark. Stay here and be mad at me.” He said, his grip loosening a little on her arm at her request but not completely.

 

“Paul, let me the fuck go,” Maya’s voice was rising now. She saw a flicker of anger pass across his eyes that softened into something else—pain? 

 

“I’ll let you go when you take off your bag and shoes and come sit down. You’re not leaving tonight.” He said with an edge of finality.

 

“I want to leave, let me fucking leave!” Maya pulled against his grasp and he grunted in frustration as he leaned down to pick her up and throw him over his shoulder. “PAUL PUT ME DOWN. YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!” she yelled. He didn’t seem fazed by it and walked her toward the stairs. 

 

“Not until you calm down.” he said, trying to control the anger in his voice. 

 

“PAUL I SWEAR TO GOD IF YOU DON’T PUT ME DOWN I’M GOING TO SCREAM BLOODY FUCKING MURDER.” Maya was struggling against him now. 

 

“My Stop!” he said as he let her down. She yanked out of his grip, all fire in her eyes now. She was furious. The suffocating feeling that had been building in her since she and Paul started seeing each other more boiled over. She had to get out of this house so she could breathe and find herself again. 

 

“Don’t fucking touch me!” she seethed, taking a step back from him. 

 

“Maya what the fuck is going on? This isn’t that big of a deal, I don’t get it. You’re acting like a baby!” Paul shot back at her, a little too aggressively. Maya stood her ground. 

 

“You do this all the fucking time Paul. I shouldn’t have to ask your permission to do anything, imprint or not!” She yelled back. Paul rolled his eyes and tried to take a step toward her. “Stop! Please. Fuck.” Maya yelled. He paused. “This isn’t working. This is just confusing you and confusing me. What are we even doing?!” Maya was out of breath all of the sudden. 

 

Paul was taken aback and the sadness in his eyes was apparent. 

 

“What do you mean?” he breathed, incredulous.  

 

“You know what I mean.” Maya spat. Did he flinch? “This isn’t a relationship. This isn’t anything. We are not together. We play pretend and you get some sick control over me. I’m tired of it. It’s not me. I didn’t choose to be an imprint, so you don’t get to control me because you think you’re protecting me.” 

 

“Maya, I need you to help me here. I can’t let you leave—” 

 

“Yeah, I got that!” she yelled over him. “But Paul, what happens when I leave for college? What happens when I’m halfway across the country? Are you just going to lock me in your house and call it good?” 

 

Paul’s chest was rising and falling with heavy breaths now. The shaking was back but his eyes were still that same worried sad look as before. 

 

“Maya, don’t—” 

 

“No! This is not something we can avoid. I am leaving . You get that right? Come the fall, I’m out of here. Off the reservation. Away from all of this. Away from you! And you have to fucking figure that out because I’m not staying. Not for anyone Paul.” She yelled, her eyes wild. Paul was focusing on quieting the tremors wracking his body. Maya took her chance and walked hurriedly toward the back door, scooping up her discarded backpack, slamming the door behind her. 

 

Paul didn’t chase her as she made her way down the darkened path toward the beach, but she heard a definitive crash sound from his house. Maya didn’t look back. Her heart hammered in her chest and when she got far enough down the beach that she couldn’t see his house anymore, she collapsed onto the wet sand in shuddering tears. 




The rest of the week was spent in radio silence between the two of them. Maya felt broken and more than once she had to control herself when her body begged her to walk to Paul’s house. 

Jeremy kept giving her sidelong glances at the lunch table, but she ignored them, trying to stay chipper and bright. The excitement for the SoCal trip had evaporated once she left Paul’s house, but she put on a wide smile anytime Keye and Becks brought up their planned outfits or excursions for the trip. 

 

That Saturday morning, Maya finished packing her oversized duffel bag with bikinis, cut off jean shorts, cute tops and her toiletries. She checked her phone for the tenth time that morning but still, there was nothing. Keye had sent her a text letting her know they’d be there to pick her up by 9. 

 

Around 8:55, she walked down the stairs and hugged her mom and dad goodbye before stepping out onto the porch to wait for Keye. When she looked up though, a familiar figure stood with his hands in his pockets, pain etched clearly on his face. 

 

Maya’s whole body tensed and she clenched her fists as if ready for a fight. Despite the hesitation and rush of anger she felt, seeing him for the first time in almost a week made her heart flutter and instantly fill her with relief. 

 

She sighed and looked down as she descended the steps walking toward him, staying a few feet away from him to give herself space. 

 

“Going somewhere?” He asked quietly. 

 

“What are you doing here?” Maya said, her voice already exhausted. 

 

“I haven’t heard from you all week. I was trying to give you space..but I’m not very good at space.” His eyes were glued to her. 

 

“Yeah, you mentioned that.” Maya crossed her arms. “Keye’s on her way to come and get me.” 

 

“I know. That’s why I’m going to ask you to get in the car.” He motioned toward the car. 

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me. You’re unbelievable you know?!” Maya scoffed.  “Paul, I’m going on this trip with my friends and you can’t stop me because of some weird claim you have on me.” 

 

“I’m not going to make you stay here. Just get in the car. Please,” his eyes were sincere and he waited for her, popping open the passenger door. 

 

“Paul,” Maya groaned. 

 

“Maya. Please. Trust me.” He pleaded. Paul tentatively extended his hand toward her and Maya felt that same feeling of resolve break in her. But she couldn’t discount that he seemed to be trying. She sighed and reached out for his hand. He pulled her closer and took the duffel bag off her shoulder as she hopped into the passenger seat. 

 

“Where are we going?” She asked when he jumped up into the driver's seat. 

 

“You’ll see,” he said. A nervous excitement pulsed through Maya as she turned and looked at Paul with curiosity. 

 

Chapter 16: The art of taking the bait

Chapter Text

I love surprises. I love starlight and the ocean waves and everything that smells like jasmine flowers. But most of all, I love to be surprised. When I was 13, my mom threw me my first surprise birthday party. Every year for my birthday or Christmas, I’d shake with excitement before opening the first gift, more elated with the feeling of not knowing what was inside rather than the thing itself. Whenever Halloween rolled around, the feeling of being scared rolled right into that. I trembled with anticipation at something or someone being right around the corner waiting to jump out and scare me. So, whenever you get the chance, take me off guard and watch me run, breathless into the unknown. 

 




Paul drove them northeast to the Forks regional airport. They got on a small Cessna plane that flew them to SeaTac (the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport). Maya was all butterflies as she held Paul’s hand through the airport. When they reached their gate, Maya looked up at the sign: 

 

“Los Angeles?” Maya said, surprised. 

 

“Well, Santa Monica actually.” He gave her a small smile and Maya buzzed with excitement. When they got on the plane, they were steered to first class and Maya was given a glass of champagne. 

 

“Fancy,” she said. After taking a sip she looked at him, “Paul this is amazing.” She grabbed his hand and he immediately tugged it up to his lips to kiss. 

 

“You were right, that it wasn’t fair of me to ask you to stay.” He paused to look at her, “I’m trying.” 

 

“I know.” Maya said, softly. 

 

Paul was an expert at travel at this point. He not only took several trips to Seattle a month, but he had travelled all across the country and internationally. He told Maya during the flight to LAX about his worst flights, particularly one to the Philippines where he was pretty sure the plane was breaking apart as it was trying to land. Maya had no idea he had lived life so...widely. 

 

“But wait, if you’ve got all of this business all over the world, why wouldn’t you live somewhere like New York or LA?” Maya asked once they were tucked into the sleek rented Audi that Paul sped toward their final destination. He glanced at her in regular intervals. 

 

“La Push is home. And there’s plenty of things to stay close by for.” He gave her a knowing look, “Plus, I’m still able to do all of these things, just less often than when I was, say, 24.” He shrugged. 

 

At the hotel, he led her to their large, wide open room with gigantic windows that could be pushed open to let in the sea breeze. The room faced a long stretch of beach that glittered in the sunlight. Maya squealed and ran toward the window, hanging out a little on the balcony and letting the warm air wash over her face. Paul came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her, lowering his head to kiss her shoulder. Maya brought a hand up to circle around the back of his head. 

 

“Happy?” He said softly. 

 

“Mmm, yeah,” she replied. “This is beautiful.” 

 

“Tell me about it,” he said in a low voice, letting his lips trail from her shoulder to the crook of her neck. Maya shut her eyes at the feeling and let herself enjoy it for a just moment. This was the problem with Paul, everything was easy. And Maya worried that if she let herself drift into that easiness with him, she’d get lost and end up on an unintended shore. She pulled gently out of his grasp and turned to face him, a loaded look on her face. Paul acknowledged the look with his own and took her hand. 

 

“Do you want to eat first or go to the beach first?” 

 

Maya, leaning against the railing, squinted in the sun like she was having to think hard about it. 

 

“Mmm, food,” she said, “Because I know you’re hungry,” she swatted at his hard abdomen. He grinned and shrugged knowingly, “You’re always hungry.” As she moved past him, she opened her bag and dug out some shorts and her light blue bikini. 

 

As Maya and Paul walked hand in hand through the lobby of the hotel, Maya in short denim shorts and a blue top that tied tightly around her waist with her blue bikini underneath, she couldn’t help but feel...different. Maybe it was the fact that they were officially out of a La Push, existing as something other than Paul and Maya-the-imprint. No one knew them here and that gave her this rush of freedom to explore what she could be. And when she looked at Paul under this new light, in a new city, she knew she wanted to be with him. So, just for this week, Maya told herself she could chase that feeling. 

 

They opted for a beachside restaurant that served cold beer and bar food. Over fried fish and fries and a couple of beers, Maya and Paul fell into step. He made her laugh, like really laugh, with stories of his experiences with clients he built custom furniture for in Seattle and across the world. Paul loved making Maya laugh. As she sipped her beer and watched him over her glass feeling warm and floaty, his eyes lit up with promise: 

 

“My, I want to tell you something.” Maya raised her eyebrows in curiosity at his sudden shift in tone. 

 

“Is this something I need to put my beer down for? Do you have, like, a wife and four kids in Seattle or something?” she laughed. Paul shook his head and gave her a lopsided smile. 

 

“No, I uh, want to tell you that...I thought about what you said,” he started slowly. 

 

“Oh?” Maya leaned in a little, stealing another fry off his plate. “What did I say again?” she laughed. 

 

“About leaving...for college,” he said. Maya looked up at him, hesitation in her eyes. 

 

“Paul, we don’t have to talk about this right now.” She wanted to stay locked in this carefree feeling with him for as long as she could. 

 

“No, listen.” He lowered his eyes to the table and then brought them back up to her face. “I know you need to leave. I’d never...I’d never make you stay with me in La Push if Princeton or Columbia is what you want. The thought of being without you for a long time freaks me out. But if it’s what you want, we can make it work. Whatever ‘it’ is,” he conceded. Maya looked at him for a long time, “I want you to have….everything, My.” She reached for his hand across the table. 

 

“Thank you,” she squeezed his hand, “That’s all I needed to hear. We’ll figure it out. And anyway, I haven’t even got in yet. Probably won’t…” she trailed off and Paul made a noise of annoyance. 

 

“You’re gonna get in. You’re amazing,” he took a sip of his beer now, “They’d be crazy not to want you.” Maya felt her stomach flip at this and her eyes flickered down to the table. 

 

After lunch, they went to the beach and Maya was quick to shed her shorts and shirt and let the sun run across her skin. The water was still a little chilly but wrapped around Paul’s scorching body, it felt perfect. They dipped in and out of the waves together for a while, playing and swimming. Paul swam out farther with Maya on his back so they could get some distance from the crowd of people on the beach. 

 

When they finally collapsed on the beach together, under the sun, Paul laid on his stomach next to her running a hand down the side of her body. 

 

“You look entirely too good to be in a bikini that small,” Paul let out an exhale. Maya put on her sunglasses and leaned up to look down at him. 

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” she laughed. 

 

“That I need to watch you because the second I leave your side, someone is going to be all over you,” he groaned. Maya rolled her eyes but she knew he couldn’t see it. 

 

“Test that theory then, I dare you. You’re more intimidating than you think,” Maya looked around the beach. 

 

“I’m not taking that dare,” he said, wrapping his arm around her waist and pulling her down to slot under him slightly. He hovered his body half over hers with one leg in between hers. Maya’s breath caught in her throat as she looked up at him stunned. He was never this bold in La Push. With his other hand he gently pushed a wet strand of hair from her face. Maya pushed her sunglasses on top of her head and smiled up at him. With one hand placed on his jaw, she said, 

 

“You’re sort of beautiful.” Paul’s face twitched into an overwhelmingly large smile and Maya thought he was going to close the space between them, finally bringing his lips close to hers, but instead he said, 

 

“You are absolutely, mind blowingly gorgeous, Maya Sun,” he said. Maya thought she’d pass out from the rush that pulled over her body. She knew Paul found her attractive, that wasn’t hard to piece out, but having your so-called soulmate come out and say it was entirely different. Most things between Paul and Maya were unspoken, but when he actually took the time to speak about his attraction and care for her out loud, it sent Maya into orbit and she felt impulsive, like she’d agree to just about anything. 

 

After a couple more hours on the beach, Paul finally scooped her up and steered her back toward the hotel. Maya was glowing from the sun and when they got back into their hotel room, Paul excused himself to check on some emails. Over his shoulder, he called: 

 

“Go get ready for dinner, please. Michael got us a reservation at this nice steakhouse down by the beach.” Maya made her way to the bathroom and took a long shower, letting the salt run clean from her body. She dried her hair into beachy, soft waves and donned some stark white high rise pants that tied with a big sash. She finished the look with a cropped, off the shoulder top with billowy sleeves in a blush rose with white flowers dotted across it. Maya did her makeup a little fancier than usual, opting for a blushed rose lip and sparkly warm gold eyeshadow that glittered against her sun kissed skin. 

 

When she exited the bathroom and came into the bedroom to find her strappy gold heels, Paul was relaxing on the bed with his laptop on his lap. His eyes snapped up to her and he took his time letting his eyes rake over her entire body. 

 

“Is this okay?” Maya said a little self consciously, looking down at her outfit. 

 

“Oh yeah,” Paul said, want clear in his eyes and voice. He hopped up and walked around to her, running a hand through the side of her hair, “This is perfect.” Maya smiled and wrapped her hand around his wrist. “I’m just going to take a quick shower and we’ll be ready.” He said as he kissed her forehead quickly and dipped into the bathroom. 

 

When they arrived at the steakhouse, Maya was amazed by the absolute splendor of the restaurant. There were no places in La Push like this. She gripped Paul’s hand as he chatted with the hostess. 

 

“Right this way, Mr. Lahote, Miss Sunriviere.” Maya smiled up at him and he placed his hand on her lower back, the heat of his fingertips searing into her skin. They were led to a grand, shining wooden bar. 

 

“This is stunning,” Maya said, running her hand across the smooth surface. She gained a new appreciation for woodwork after watching Paul working tirelessly in his workshop. The bartender set down drinks in front of them. Maya’s was in a tall fluted glass and was fizzing with raspberries. 

 

“Oh good, because I restored it,” Paul said looking around at the bar now. 

 

“What? Really?! Paul! This is so cool!” she said looking closer at the intricate carvings on the pillared legs of the bar. 

 

“Yeah, restoration on a piece this large is tough. Took me about 5 months to complete, I think,” he nodded to the bartender and sipped his highball glass of whiskey. 

 

Dinner was incredible and Paul and Maya clearly enjoyed each other’s company. They talked about Maya’s plans for college (Paul barely even cringed at the mention of her in the dorms alone), what she wanted to do in life, her family, La Push, everything. By the end of the evening, as they walked hand in hand back to the car, Maya felt like she found out more about Paul in one day than in the past four months that she’d been his imprint. Stepping outside of La Push had clearly set something free in him too. 

 

Back in the room, Maya kicked off her heels and thanked him over and over again for the amazing dinner. 

 

“This is just night one, My,” he laughed. “We’ve still got five days left. But I need to admit something,” Paul said mocking seriousness. 

 

“Oh? So many secrets you're revealing on this trip, Lahote.” she said as she removed her necklaces twined around her neck. 

 

“Yeah well, I’m not just here on vacation with you. On Monday I have a couple of meetings with potential clients in the area that Michael set up, so you’ll be on your own for the afternoon.” He gave her a measured look and Maya’s eyes glimmered, partly due to the alcohol, but partly due to the promise of some independence. She loved being around him, but Maya also loved being alone in a new place, untethered. 

 

“That’s fine!” Maya said eagerly. She started to untie the sash of her pants and slipped out of them, tossing them over the chair by the window. Paul sucked in a sharp breath that made Maya giggle. 

 

“What are you doing?” his eyes were glued to the small white lace underwear Maya wore. She took off her top now too to showcase the matching white bustier lace bra. “My.” he said quickly. 

 

“What?!” Maya said, “Oh come on, you’ve seen me in a bikini, this is no different.” She put her hands on her hips and looked at him. His eyes were flush with desire and lust and it sent a thrill through her. He stood stock still in place by the bed. 

 

“It’s different,” he said. His eyes ran the length of her body and stared at her in almost begging desire. 

 

She rolled her eyes, “Fine, I’ll put on a shirt...prude,” she muttered. She honestly did it just to get a reaction out of him. This Maya was chasing a feeling and seeing how far she could push things. Paul, ever in control, was cracking and she could see the edges starting to fray at his resolve. She turned away from him and unclasped her bustier before tossing it aside; she was very aware of his eyes burning into her naked back. She threw on a t-shirt of his that allowed just the bottom of her buttcheeks to peek out. 

 

“Better?” she turned around and threaded her hands through her thick hair to put it up in a ponytail. As she did this, the shirt rode up to her hips, showing off the white lace underwear again. Paul gave a grunt of assent and tried to keep his eyes on her face. She laughed lightly and walked past him to the bathroom, grazing his arm as she went by. 

 

When she finished washing her face and brushing her teeth she came out to find Paul shirtless and in his boxers. She blushed and as he walked past her to the bathroom as he said, “Same difference right?” Maya smirked and hopped into the soft white bed listening to the waves roll in. 

 

The next day was more of the same–Maya getting comfortable in Paul’s arms, relaxing in the sun together, wrapping her legs around his midsection as they floated around in the water. 

 

On Monday, after sleeping in late, wrapped up in each other, they ordered room service. As Maya finished her late breakfast sitting cross legged on the bed, she watched Paul don a dark suit, sans tie, with a navy blue button up, his hair neatly coiffed. He was absolutely breathtaking. 

 

“So profesh,” Maya teased, getting on her knees on the edge of the bed so she could properly run her hands down the lapels of the suit coat as he leaned down to kiss her forehead. 

 

“I’ll be out until six or so, but I’ll pick you up for a late dinner around 7. Sound good?” Maya nodded at his direction. He took her hand and turned it over so it was palm up, then slid a thick black metal card into it, “Have fun today.” 

 

“Holy shit!” Maya said, turning the card over in her hand, “Wait, have you been loaded this whole time?” she teased and he rolled his eyes to lean down again and kiss on her cheek to her neck, a low growl sounding in his throat that made Maya squeal. 

 

“Very funny. Don’t buy like a boat or anything. And stay close.” He warned. Maya giggled and flopped back onto the bed fanning herself with the cold, black card. 

 

“I’ve never had a sugar daddy before,” she murmured. Paul let out a bark of laughter before leaving the hotel room and Maya ran her finger across his name etched into the card. 

 

With the day to herself, Maya buzzed at the possibilities. She slipped into some denim shorts, a blank top with ruffled straps that dipped into a sweetheart neckline with her white Keds. She took off in the direction toward the promenade shops by the pier. Her phone vibrated and she answered it before looking at the caller ID: 

 

My?!” Keye shouted on the other line. 

 

“Oh fuck, hi Keye.” Maya said. She had completely forgotten to text or call Keye on Saturday. 

 

The only reason why I know you’re not fucking dead is because your mom saw you leave with Paul.” 

 

“Keye, I’m sorry I forgot to call, I just—” 

 

“You fucking caved is what! Did he lock you in his house or something!?” 

 

“Ahhh, no. I’m actually in Santa Monica….with Paul.” Maya cringed as she heard a laugh/scream come from the other line. 

 

“You’re FUCKING with me right?! He took you to Santa Monica?!” 

 

“Yeah...first class.” Maya said, egging her on now. 

 

“Holy fucking shit. You little slut.” 

 

“Keye! It’s not like that.” Maya blushed but it was kind of like that. She felt his black card burning a hole in her pocket and it made her feel weird. “Did you guys make it?” 

 

“Yeah. Jer and Collin came too. So what the fuck are you guys doing? Did he take you there to like….abscond with your innocence?” 

 

“Jesus fucking christ, Keye.” Maya muttered. “No, he partly came here on business and partly to hang out. He said he was wrong for trying to get me to stay so...it’s actually been really great. He’s in meetings all afternoon so he gave me his fucking black card to go shopping. Like what the fuck!?” Maya was reeling.

 

“A black card!? I didn’t know he was sugar daddy rich!” Keye said. There was mumbling on the other side of the line that Maya couldn’t make out and then Keye yelled, “You knew?! What the hell Jeremy! Jeremy apparently knew he was loaded and never said anything.” She could hear Becks laughing in the background “So what are you gonna do? Buy a Birkin bag or something?”

 

“God no. I’m almost too scared to use it.” 

 

“Buy like some cute lingerie and bang his brains out or something. That’s what I’d do.” Keye said between mouthfuls of food. 

 

“Yeah maybe,” Maya said skeptically. “Anyways, we’ll be back on Friday.” 

 

“K. Spill all the details when you can.” 

 

Maya let out an exasperated sigh and carried on. She hesitated in front of stores that all seemed too fancy for her. To help boost her resolve, Maya grabbed a beer at a nearby bar and texted Paul. 

 

M: I hope your meetings are going well.

M: What am I supposed to buy?

 

After about ten minutes he texted back.

 

P: Buy anything you want. We’re going to dinner almost every night this week so buy an outfit for each night if you want. 

 

M: That’s way too much. 

 

P: I’m about to walk back into this meeting. Buy something that would surprise me…

 

Maya inhaled sharply and smiled. She could manage that. After she finished her beer, Maya felt her hesitation wane and she walked into a few stores picking through pieces that interested her. She was worried that a store clerk would walk up to her and ask her what she was doing there but it was the actual opposite. They approached her and asked her what she was shopping for and stocked dressing rooms for at her request while handing her a glass of champagne. 

 

When she handed over the black card at the checkout, they seemed utterly pleased. Maya squirmed at the odd feeling in her stomach. 

 

“Thank you so much for shopping with us and have a wonderful day, Mrs. Lahote.” The saleswoman said with a sweet smile as she handed back the card. 

 

“Oh I’m not–” Maya started, but when the clerk looked confused she stalled and said, “Thank you” tilting her head to one side. 

 

Maya dropped off her things at the hotel—the receptionist intercepted her and offered to have her things taken up to her room and Maya gratefully accepted. She wondered if that was the black card’s magic too. 

 

After dropping her stuff of, she decided to go and grab a bite to eat. Then, feeling the sea breeze on her face, she bought a new bright red stringy bathing suit. She changed in the bathroom of the restaurant and laid out on the hot sand to kill time before she had to go back and get ready for dinner. Her phone buzzed next to her suddenly. 

 

P: Checking in. How’s shopping going? 

 

Maya smirked and decided to lean into the high shopping and drinking champagne had given her. She took two pictures to send to him: one where she was sitting on her knees in her new red bikini, the ocean stretched out behind her, the cups of the bikini top curved and pushed up her breasts; and then one where she was laying down, taking the picture over her shoulder so he could clearly see her ass that was on display from the cheeky red bottoms. 

 

M: Is this surprising enough?

 

Maya covered her mouth as she pressed send on the text with the accompanying photos. She watched as the three little dots appeared and disappeared multiple times. Hopefully that was him being speechless and not furious. After a few more minutes of typing and not typing she finally got a new message. 

 

P: I should give you my card more often. You look incredible. 

P: We’re going fancy tonight so I hope you bought something a little high end. 

 

M: I got it covered. 

 

Maya smiled and let herself drift in and out on the beach in bliss.

 

Around five, she made her way back to the hotel to get ready. Her bags were laid out neatly across the bed for her and she made light work of unpacking and stowing everything away so she could surprise him throughout the week with her looks. By the time he walked through the door at around 6:30 that evening, Maya was pressing a gold earring into her ear. 

 

“Hey!” she said as she turned around to greet him. She was in a dark blue tightly fitted dress that fell just above her knees and dipped just low enough to show the pillow tops of her breasts. She coupled it with some red bottom black pumps and simple gold jewelry. Her hair fell in a silky sheet down her back and she wore dark plum lipstick that set off her mouth against her shimmering bronzed skin. 

 

“Wow,” he said, taking off his jacket. 

 

“Good?” she looked down at herself. “Fancy enough?” 

 

“Very fancy, very very very good.” He said unbuttoning his shirt. “Let me just change my shirt and jacket and freshen up and we’ll get out of here,” he said, coming over to plant a kiss on her forehead. Maya looped her arms around his neck, pressing her body to his naked chest. “Oh,” he said softly as he lowered his lips to kiss her shoulder. Taking her cue to slow down, he wrapped his arms down around her back, “Did you have a good day?” 

 

“The best,” Maya breathed. She pulled back and cupped her hands on his face for a moment, giving him a smile before saying. “How were the meetings? Did you impress them?” He moved to the dresser and pulled out a crisp white shirt buttoning it up and donning a dark blue suit jacket to match her. 

 

“Yeah, it went really well. I’ve already got one commission in the works and sold another tonight so, overall I’d say it was a win.” He said nonchalantly. 

 

“Paul! That’s great. Congratulations!” she said with excitement. He dotted on some cologne and quickly brushed his teeth before holding the hotel room door open for her. 

 

“Yeah, I’m pretty pumped. Shall we?” Maya nodded and grabbed her new medallion bag and threw it over her shoulder. 

 

They had dinner at an upscale sushi restaurant and dined on the roof that overlooked the Santa Monica Pier that glittered in the night. Maya found it easy to be with Paul all of the time, and felt none of the suffocating control that she had felt back on the rez. 

 

“So..what happens now?” she said calmly to him over the food. He looked up at her with a quizzical brow. 

 

“What do you mean?” 

 

“I mean, I like being with you like this...Away from everyone. It feels….real and not like some weird curse that keeps me tied to you.” 

 

“You think the imprint is a curse?” Paul said, genuinely interested. 

 

“Don’t you?” Paul shrugged in response and Maya continued: “Think about it. You and I would have never been thrown together otherwise, right?” 

 

“Right, but wouldn’t that make it not a curse then? Isn’t it a good thing we were thrown together?” 

 

“I mean, yeah, it is now. But without the imprint, we wouldn’t have had any reason to be thrown together, so we’d never have known.” 

 

“I’m confused. Are you saying you would have preferred not to be imprinted on?” 

 

“Absolutely,” Maya said too quickly. When she saw the pained look pull across his face she was quick to revise, “No. No, Paul. I love this. Really I love...spending time with you.” Woops, almost slipped on that one. “I just would have preferred it to be real. Like this, without the influence of the imprint. And without the imprint, this probably would have never happened and we wouldn’t be any the wiser and that…” Maya sighed, trailing off. “This is coming out wrong.”

 

“You’re right. It is coming out wrong,” Paul said firmly. 

 

“I’m sorry, I just mean that I’m having a good time and I wish it could be like this...all the time. Without the pressure of the council, or the imprint, or anything else. Just us.” she breathed out a worried sigh. His face gave way to a gentle smile.

 

“I know what you mean. But I’m happy the imprint happened. I’m happy that the universe—our ancestors—chose you. You make life…..better,” he said finally, his eyes steady on her with intense need. 

 

The full weight of the imprint fell on her in this moment and she ached all over again. Paul watched her carefully and then glanced out toward the beach. 

 

“Follow me.” He stood up and dropped a dollop of high value bills on the table indiscriminately and grabbed her hand. They walked down the steps that emptied them out onto the dark deserted beach. Maya pulled off her pumps and held them in their hand as he pulled her across the sand. He took off his shoes and jacket and waded into the ocean, pulling her with him. She didn’t fight it and let the cold waves lick across her ankles. When they were waist deep he turned to face her, pulling her to stand flush against his body. 

 

“What are we doing?” Maya said, looking up at him with wide wanting eyes. 

 

“You want this right? Everything? All of it? Me and you?” he said in a warm, low voice that echoed above the waves. Maya looked at him, her face close to his now. After a fleeting moment where she tried to search his eyes for any other answer, she replied with the only thing she knew she wanted to say, 

 

“Yes.” Her hand pressed against the side of his face. “Just like this.” He gave her a soft smile. 

 

“Then let me give it to you.” The tip of his nose nuzzled against hers and it sent her heart thrumming against her chest. 

 

Her lips were slightly parted in surprise and he finally closed the distance between them pressing his lips to hers, as the waves buffeted them around at her hips. She was held firmly in place by Paul’s strong hands pressed against her back and the rush of warmth that flowed through her from his lips sent her head spinning. Maya looped her arms around his neck, leaning into the kiss and letting out a small sound of pleasure in her throat. Paul responded with a low growling rumble that sent her to the edge. She felt like she could never get enough of this feeling with him and something in her finally gave way, like a damn that had been holding up water too long that needed to be released. She felt better.  

 

When he pulled away and they both gasped for air, their eyes frantic over each other’s faces at the realization of their step toward something new, he said, “You have no idea how long I’ve wanted to do that for.” 

 

Maya traced the line of his lips with her finger and said softly, “Do it again.” He gave her an achingly sweet smile and lifted her lightly in his arms against the rocking waves and kissed her hard, sending her into orbit. 



Chapter 17: Never going back again

Chapter Text

One time I almost drowned. It wasn’t dramatic or anything—I had just gotten overtaken by a wave and lost my footing. The sand suddenly turned into a slippery, uneven floor and my stick-thin eight-year-old frame was no match for the crushing weight of a crashing wave. I don’t know how long I was under the water for, but it was enough to fill my throat with salt water. I distinctly remember the burn of it as it went down my throat and the light of the surface as I felt myself being pushed down and down. And then, the weight was clear and the water was slithering up and spilling out of my throat like a saltwater snake. I remember drowning, but I don’t remember who saved me. 




They hurried back through the hotel lobby barefoot and dripping wet from the ocean. Maya couldn’t stop laughing as she held onto his hand. Back in the room, he pulled her to him again and their lips collided. His hands cradled her face as her lips parted, letting him in. 

 

Her hands were tangled up in his hair and his hands were roaming around her body. Her hands slid down to unbutton his shirt and she pulled away gently to say, “I want to show you something.” 

 

“Oh yeah?” He said, his hands grabbing around her ass and causing her tight dress to hike up. 

 

“Yeah, unzip me,” she said breathlessly and she saw mischief light up in his eyes. He made quick work of the dress and helped pull it off of her body quickly. Underneath, Maya was wearing a black lace corset that latched at the front with gold slip hooks. It was paired with black thong with delicate rose patterns on it. The bust of the corset dipped in the center of her chest and ended in points at the top of either breast. Maya watched his face carefully as his eyes took her in. 

 

“Holy shit,” he breathed. 

 

“Do you like it? I know you like looking at...stuff I wear, so I thought I’d surprise you.” She said, putting a hand on her hip and cocking it to one side and hoping to look alluring. 

 

“Do I like it?” Paul said his eyes now looking at her. The fire was back but now Maya was more drawn to it than ever. His hands pulled down her body, “You look fucking incredible, My.” He said. She let out a soft giggle and he dipped his head to kiss along her neck, wrapping his arms around her and picking her up before throwing her back playfully on the bed. He stood up to marvel at her as she lay spread out across it as if his eyes couldn’t believe what he was seeing. 

 

“Come here,” she said softly. He leaned down over her, one leg in between both of hers as he dipped his head down to kiss softly across her face, his hand cupping around the side of her neck as he made his way across her lips. As he traveled down her neck to her chest, he let his lips gently graze over the mounds of her breasts, causing her breath to quicken. He could hear her heart pounding. He looked up at her as his face hovered over her chest now, his fingers clasped to one side of her hip. 

 

“May I?” he said, his voice gruff. Maya sucked in a sharp breath and looking down at him she said, 

 

“It’s for you, do what you’d like to it,” she said. He gave her a wicked smile and he brought both hands to her corset now. His fingers pulled the corset in to unlatch the first hook. Maya let out a little noise as it gently squeezed her ribcage. As he unlatched each one, Maya’s nerves increased. She’d never been with someone like this and her sudden understanding of her lack of experience sent a shock wave through her. Once he unlatched the final hook and peeled back the corset, he let out a sigh that sounded almost like a moan. He gave her one quick glance and then he was over her again, taking her right nipple in his mouth and causing Maya to lean her head back and gasp at the sensation shooting through her. His hand wound it’s way down her side and slipped under the thin lace of her underwear, spreading her and rubbing against her folds. Maya couldn’t help the loud gasp of pleasure that escaped her lips as he touched her there, both firm enough to pull at her nerve endings, but soft enough that beckoned more moans from her. 

 

“Paul!” she gasped, grabbing around the back of his head that sucked and teased each of her breasts. “Wait!” she said, spiraling. He lifted his head immediately, his fingers stopping their deft work between her thighs as he looked up at her, the pleasure still sizzling behind his eyes. “Wait.” she said in between labored breaths. 

 

“You okay? Am I hurting you?” he said quickly. His hands were resting on either side of her now and Maya felt her quick heat from his fingertips cool from his lack of touch. 

 

“I’m okay. I just…” Maya bit her lip and Paul searched her eyes quickly before leaning down to plant two soft kisses on either cheek. “I’m just...not ready to have…” She stalled. Why was this so hard? You have your soulmate in bed with you on a magical beachfront vacation and he’s so into you but you can’t close the deal?! 

 

“You’re not ready to have sex?” he said gently, his eyes softening. Maya nodded quickly and darted her eyes to the side. 

 

“Is...is that okay?” she said uncertainty. Paul let out a soft laugh and said quickly, 

 

“Of course, My. We don’t have to do everything at once. We can take it slow.” Her eyes flooded with relief and she brought a hand to the side of his face. He leaned into it. “Can I….Would you mind though if I…” Now he was stalling. 

 

“What?” Maya said softly. 

 

“Could I still…?” He looked down toward her lower half. Maya swelled with want instantly. 

 

“Yes!” she breathed out in a heady sigh. He grinned and quickly shimmied down to the edge of the bed. Maya leaned up on her elbows to watch him as he gently pulled her lace underwear down her thighs, kissing gently as it went and then…

 

“Oh fuck!” she threw her head back and let out a loud moan as Paul dipped his head between her thighs. His hot mouth around her felt like nothing she’d ever known. He sucked and pulled gently at her with his tongue while his thumb worked at the tip of her fold. Her hand found its way into his hair and she closed her eyes as the feeling of his tongue entering her sent white hot pops of light shooting behind her lids. He worked there pulling shuddering breaths and shakes from her until she reached her end. 

 

He laid next to her as she collected herself, running a light finger down the center of her and circling idly around each breast. When she caught her breath, she turned her head to look at him, the moonlight filtering in over both of their bodies. 

 

“Can we do that all the time?” she laughed. He grinned and leaned in to kiss her softly, letting his hands have free range of her body now. Paul took his time letting his hands touch every part of her and even when they fell asleep, his hand still lazily traversed the length of her back. 

 




The next few days passed in seemingly unending bliss for Maya and Paul. They were lost in each other in that starry-eyed realization of first love without the weight of admitting it. New love in a new city was all Maya’s heart needed right now. 

 

Paul had a couple more meetings but as soon as he was done, he would scoop Maya up in a flurry of kisses and take her to bed where they’d spend a good amount of time undressing one another and testing their self control. It always ended with Maya shuddering and spasming as Paul dipped his head between her thighs or kissed on her neck with his hand stroking her with hot purpose. 

 

On their last night there, Maya stood under the hot water of the shower as Paul washed his face in front of her. 

 

“What’s the game plan?” She said looking at him as he rinsed the soap from his face. She loved the way Paul looked, but more than that she absolutely adored it when he was soaking wet, giving off a devil may care vibe. 

 

“We need a game plan?” he said, reaching around her for the soap and loofah. Once lathered he started running it across her body carefully. “Soapy boobies” he mumbled. Maya laughed. 

 

“How old are you again?” she teased. 

 

“Ahhh, I’ll be 29 in July,” he replied seriously. “What do you mean ‘game plan’? What do you think’s going to happen?” 

 

“I mean..” Maya hesitated letting her hands run up and down on his chest for a second. “What do we tell people?” 

 

“Uhh, I was just going to tell people that we’re dating. That you’re my girlfriend. That we’re together. That I’m quote-unquote hittin’ that—” she cut him off. 

 

“Okay, I get it.” There was a beat of silence between them. “Please don’t say ‘hittin that’.” He let out a laugh at this.

 

“You don’t want to tell people? Or...you don’t want to be together?” he said gently. 

 

“No! Of course I want to be with you. I just…” 

 

“What, My?” He said a little perturbed. 

 

“Don’t get mad but...isn’t that what they want?” She looked up at him with a strange look on her face. Paul’s face fell in almost disappointment. 

 

“Are you serious?” he scoffed. “Jesus, My. I’m only going to say this once because I think you need to hear it but...you really need to stop caring so much about what other people want. Especially when it comes to us.” 

 

Maya bit her lip and flushed red. “I just..” 

 

“No, My. The council does not dictate this relationship. The imprint does not dictate this relationship. We do. You and me. Did we come on this trip thinking we were going to come back together this way?” 

 

“No.” Maya said, her voice annoyed. 

 

“No we didn’t. So why do you care if the council or anyone gets what they want if we end up together?” He was definitely annoyed and she wanted to tell herself to shut. But she felt like she was betraying some part of her by doing it this way. Maya couldn’t stand if they looked at her as if they knew all along that this would happen and she was just being silly before. 

 

“You’re right.” Maya said. Paul sighed with relief and brought the loofah to his body now. “But—” Maya started but she was cut off by a hand coming up to her mouth, covering it. She looked up at Paul wide eyed. 

 

“Don’t.” he warned. “Just stop, My. Let’s just enjoy this a little bit more before we spiral into ‘buts’ and ‘what abouts’. We’re together. I’m going to tell everyone that we’re together. I can’t not tell them. Understood?” he said seriously. She nodded and he gently lowered his hand. 

 

“But!” she shouted before bursting into laughter as he almost growled at her. He lowered his head to kiss her neck and bit gently down along her shoulder. She tilted her head toward him in glee. 

 

“You are infuriating, you know that?” he said in her ear. She laughed and wrapped her arms around his neck, all forgiven. He leaned his face down to meet hers, clapping a hand to her ass that made an overexaggerated smacking sound with the water, as she giggled between his lips. 



As soon as they landed at the regional airport in Forks from their connecting Seattle flight, Maya felt a weight sink in her stomach. As she held Paul’s hand while he drove them back to La Push, Maya tried to remind herself that it didn’t matter what the council thought. No one was going to tell her “I told you so.” And if they did, so what? 

 

But something else weighed on Maya. It was a creeping feeling that if she thought about it for too long, would overwhelm her. It kind of felt like that impending sense of doom you would get after a particularly sharp instance of deja vu. Everything and nothing about this moment was familiar for Maya, but she couldn’t shake the dread that settled in her belly like a coiled snake. 

 

When they pulled up to her driveway, Paul raised the back of her hand to his lips and kissed it gently. She tilted her head and gave him a soft smile. 

 

“Thank you so so much for this week, it was...incredible,” she breathed. He smiled back at her and nodded his head. 

 

“Thank you for coming with me and trusting me.” She leaned forward and kissed him, the feeling ebbing the anxiety growing in her belly. “I’ll see you on Sunday?” he confirmed when they had parted. 

 

“Yeah,” she said simply, biting her lower lip before climbing out of the car and throwing her overnight bag over her shoulder. Before she entered the house she turned and gave him a wave. He smiled back warmly and rubbed his hand across his chin, appreciating her from afar. 

 

When Maya closed the door behind her, she dropped her overnight bag with a thunk by the coat rack. She kicked off her shoes and walked down the hallway, running hand through her hair and blowing air loudly out of her mouth. 

 

“Mom?” she called as she entered an empty kitchen. Weird. Maybe they went out. She opened the fridge and grabbed a seltzer. As she popped the top and took a drink, she walked over to the kitchen table where her mom usually left the mail. 

 

Maya stopped, her eyes stalled on two thick envelopes addressed to her on the table. She set her drink down slowly next to it and ran her hands across them. 

 

Columbia and Princeton. 

 

She got in. 






The rest of the night Maya spent celebrating with her parents who unsurprisingly popped out from behind the couch in the living room when she started shouting in excitement that she got in. 

 

But tucked up in her room now, under the covers and staring at a picture of her and Paul in Santa Monica, the dread washed over her again. She had gotten what she wanted. The colleges of her dreams wanted her. And Paul wanted her. Being with him was something she didn’t even realize she had desperately wanted until she had it. Her feet had felt firmly beneath her when she was in Santa Monica and now...everything was up in the air, floating above her, just out of reach. Maya felt if she went after one thing, she’d lose the other—and that paralyzed her. 

 

When she finally fell asleep that night, the wolf was back. She hadn’t dreamed about him in so long, but now as she made her way onto the cliffside where the wolf waited, she had the distinct feeling of someone, or something, watching her just inside the treeline.

 

A low hissing sounded in her ear and the wolf pushed its ears back, letting out a low snarl.  Where her arm had been cut open pulsed in new pain now and Maya looked down at it. Blood was dripping from it just as it was the night she was attacked. The wolf approached her, it’s eyes focused behind her, in a low stalk. Maya felt like she was going to pass out but before she could, the hiss evaporated behind her and a much more worrying sound echoed in the treeline. She turned warily, and amongst the dark rustling leaves of the trees mingled glowing yellow eyes that all stared at her. Their mouths hung open, tongues lolling dangerously to one side as white foam dripped from their toothy wolf grins. Moonlight glinted across their sharp teeth as they stalked forward toward her. Suddenly, Maya realized what was wrong. 

 

She had become the enemy.

 

The wolves readied themselves to pounce on her to tear her to shreds and just as the first one lunged for her, mouth open and sinking its teeth into her throat, she shot up in bed, covered in cold sweat. 

 

She looked down at her arm, the pink scar barely visible now as she breathed a sigh of relief. To distract herself from the nightmare, Maya turned to the comforting light on her phone and opened her messages. One was already waiting for her from Paul. She checked the time stamp and realized it had come in at nearly 2 a.m that morning.

 

P: I miss you already. Call me if you need me tomorrow. 

 

She smiled and her heart ached at the thought of him typing this out in his bed, his laptop undoubtedly open in front of him as he worked into the night. Maya laid her head back down on her damp pillow and fell asleep under the glow of his message. 

Chapter 18: Never thought I'd doubt myself this much

Chapter Text

Once, for Halloween, I’d dressed up as Little Red Riding Hood. But since I was 16 and in high school, the costume had to be the sexy version. You know the one—a corset top, red flaring miniskirt, a short cape and overdone makeup. Becks, Keye, and I had snuck into our first club on Halloween night in Seattle while they were on some random school trip. And I just remember as we made our way through downtown Seattle, rocking on our too high heels and freezing, men howled at me in the streets, pretending to be the wolf in the story and coming up behind me to grab me. One even growled as he walked past and said “All the better to eat you with my dear.” I remember being deliriously amused and scared at the same time. They were predator and I was prey. At any moment, the wolves would descend and come to gobble me up. 

 


Maya woke up on Saturday morning, exhausted and in a panic. When she hustled down the stairs and into the kitchen, her parents were already there. 

 

“Good morning my Ivy League Bound Baby!” Rish said, setting down her coffee and bead work to jump up and give Maya a hug. 

 

“Thanks, mom,” Maya said a little less than enthused. Her father gave her a warm, proud smile. “Hey, can I ask you guys to do something for me?” Her mom gently pushed some of Maya’s hair behind her ear and went to sit back down next to her husband. 

 

“Sure,” Rish said, “There’s some breakfast in the kitchen behind you, by the way.” Maya looked over her shoulder at the spread and then back to her parents quickly. Her hands were tangled in each other as she pulled at her fingertips nervously. 

 

“Can you guys give me a week before you tell everyone on the rez about this?” Rish’s eyes looked confused and her dad just looked at her strangely. 

 

“What, why honey?” Rish said softly. 

 

“I just need some time to figure out how to tell..Paul. And I want to be the one to share it with my friends first, if that’s okay?” Maya said quickly. Mostly it was to be able to have some normalcy with Paul before she brought the realities of Maya’s future crashing down around them. She knew he had said he wanted those things for her and that he understood she was leaving, but understanding a hypothetical and being faced with the reality of it were two different things. Rish looked at Tom for a split second and then back to Maya. 

 

“Sure honey. We’ll announce it at next week’s bonfire, on Friday. Does that work?” Rish glowed at this, at the possibility of getting to announce such honorable news in front of everyone, the council, and have all eyes on her. 

 

“That would be great, thank you.” Maya breathed letting her hands fall as she turned to get some food in the kitchen. 

 

Later that morning, Maya had packed up her massive collection of notes and textbooks and hoofed it to Keye’s house. Now that spring break was nearly over, finals would be upon them in two weeks and Maya needed to push through to the finish line spectacularly if she was ivy-bound.

 

After an hour or so, Becks showed up, dropped off by Jeremy who politely declined to study citing epic cliff jumping conditions. Becks brought iced coffees from the local diner and Maya and Keye gratefully took them. 

 

“Okay, now that Becks is finally done boinking her boyfriend, tell us how Santa Monica went!” Keye said in an excited voice. 

 

Maya put down her pen on her physics notes and immediately blushed. 

 

“Did you do it?!” Becks said, her eyes flitting around Maya’s body as if she could tell just by looking at her. 

 

“No! No. He just….gave me head,” Maya said in a small voice as she averted her eyes toward the ceiling. Both Becks and Keye squealed. 

 

“Nice going Maya Sun! Welcome to the fucking club finally, you old prude,” Keye joked. Maya started laughing. “So did you enjoy giving him head? Honestly, my first time I thought I was going to puke.” Maya immediately turned bright red. 

 

“I mean...no he hasn’t asked me to do it to him. Should...Should I?” Maya looked from Becks to Keye who were staring at her now in shock that transformed into awestruck smiles. 

 

“Holy shit! You’ve got him so fucking in love that he gives you head and you have to do LITERALLY NOTHING?! HOW?! Teach me your ways!” Becks through herself at Maya and they fell back on the bed in a laughing heap. Becks leaned up over her and poked at Maya’s ribcage. “You fucking hussy, I’m so jealous.” 

 

“You guys are going to do it though, right?” Keye asked incredulous from her side of the bed. Maya screwed up her face in thought. 

 

“I mean, obviously  we will eventually, but I’m not ready. We literally just became boyfriend and girlfriend like four days ago.” She let out a small laugh at how that made her feel—calling him her boyfriend for the first time. Above her, Becks went stock still and leaned up to sit back on her knees as she shared a worried look with Keye. Maya noticed it almost immediately and she sat up quickly. “What?!” 

 

“He’s your boyfriend now?” Keye asked, almost annoyed. Maya looked at each of them in confusion. 

 

“Uh...yeah? What’s the big deal?” 

 

“The big deal?!” Keye’s voice was rising now. Becks looked at her with a softer look. 

 

“Keye, calm down,” Becks said. 

 

“No!” Keye slammed her book shut, “Maya! You’re dating the dude who imprinted on you?” 

 

“Yes! What the fuck is the fuss about?” she was honestly lost. 

 

“Isn’t that what the council wants? I’m all for nailing the guy and getting head, but...your boyfriend?!” Keye was a flurry of emotion. 

 

“What the fuck? Who gives a fuck about the council?” Maya was getting mad now. 

 

“You did! Not one week ago when this dude was literally throwing you over his shoulder and telling you you couldn’t fucking leave his house!” Keye was up and moving now, her eyes frantic. Becks kept trying to plead with her to bring it down but she plowed ahead. Maya really regretted telling Keye about that incident now. 

 

“Listen. Things change. In Santa Monica we...we clicked,” Maya said, trying to explain, but how could you explain the intensity of an imprint bond to someone who hadn’t felt it themselves? Of course she sounded crazy. Keye scoffed and Maya looked at her annoyed, “Keye you’re being fucking rude. He’s my boyfriend. So what! I’m still going to college. I’m still leaving for Columbia or Princeton, come fall—” 

 

“Wait what?!” Becks said, delight coming over her face, “You got in?!” 

 

“Yes.” Maya said in a quiet voice. Becks squealed and wrapped her in a hug that Maya returned, relieved. Keye had her arms folded and stood next to the bed. 

 

“Did you tell him yet?” she said in an annoyed tone. Maya pulled back from the hug and made a frustrated noise at Keye. 

 

“I just fucking found out last night, Keye! What is wrong with you?” 

 

“I don’t know, isn’t that news you’d want to share with your boyfriend immediately?!” Keye retorted. 

 

“I’m leaving. I don’t need to deal with this utter bullshit you’re spouting right now, Keye.” Maya was up but Becks grabbed hold of her arm. 

 

“No, no don’t leave! Keye, you need to chill. Let Maya be happy and be happy for Maya!” Becks demanded. Keye rolled her eyes and to Becks she said: 

 

“She’s not even operating with all of the information, Becks! This is a mistake and you know it.” 

 

“Keye...careful,” Becks warned. 

 

“No! I’m sick of this secret keeping. She needs to fucking know!” 

 

“Know what?!” Maya looked at them both frantically. Was this what they hadn’t been telling her? 

 

“I don’t think we should….Jeremy said—” Becks started. 

 

“Fuck what Jeremy said. And fuck what Sam said!” 

 

“Sam!? What did Sam say?” Maya’s panic was building. Becks still had a hold of her arm and dropped her hand into hers before pulling her back onto the bed. 

 

“Sit down,” Becks said gently. Maya obliged and looked at Keye who had dropped her arms down by her side now, trying to get up the courage to say what she needed to. 

 

“Keye?” Maya looked at her expectantly. Keye’s eyes darted to Maya and stared back seriously. 

 

“Do you remember the legends about the wolf warriors?” Keye started slowly. Maya quirked her eyebrow in surprise. 

 

“Of course, but what does that have to do with anything?” 

 

“Just listen, My.” Becks said softly, giving her hand a squeeze. 

 

“The legends state that to protect the tribe from danger, the warriors were able to transform into wolves and eliminate threats. That protection group Sam has—they’re the direct descendents of those warriors. Including Paul.” 

 

“Right...That’s why he imprinted, I get it.” Maya confirmed

 

“Maya...They’re actual wolves.” 

 

“Who?” Maya said, thrown off. 

 

“Sam’s group...Paul. They can transform into wolves.” Keye said, her voice shaking now. 

 

“Shut up.” Maya said, letting out a sigh of relief at the absolute absurdity. This clearly had been a joke and Keye was doing a shit job of getting to the punchline. Maya looked at Becks with amusement, but the look she returned was worried, fraught even. 

 

“No, My, I’m serious! They….they turn into giant fucking wolves!” Keye said loudly when Maya looked back at her. 

 

“Yeah, okay Keye.” Maya said dismissively, “Can we get back to studying?” 

 

“You believe the imprint is a thing but not this?! My, that’s who saved you that night! It was Jeremy. He exploded into a huge fucking wolf and took down a cold one.” Maya laughs hysterically and Keye’s eyes are wild with fury. 

 

“She’s not kidding. I’ve seen it.” Becks said softly to Maya. 

 

“Oh fuck off, you too? Come on, Becks” Maya groaned. 

 

“Maya! Think about it!” Keye yelled now. Maya looked at her seriously, the tone of her voice starting to tick anger in Maya now. 

 

“And you think Paul is what exactly?!” Maya returned angrily.

 

“He’s Beta to Sam’s Alpha in the pack.” There was that word again—pack. She thought. She shook that from her mind trying not to get distracted. 

 

“You guys sound crazy. Like actually crazy. Are you okay?” Maya’s eyes were wide in disbelief. This had to be a joke. One that wasn’t funny. 

 

“Why would we lie?” Becks said gently.

 

“I don’t know! But this is next level bullshit.” 

 

“Just ask him.” Keye said. 

 

“I’m not asking my fucking boyfriend if he turns into a giant fucking wolf. Do you want him to have me committed?!” Maya screeched. 

 

“He won’t, because it’s the truth. He should of fucking told you by now anyway.” Keye said annoyed, rolling her eyes. Becks pulled on Maya’s hand. 

 

“My...this isn’t a joke, I promise. That night...Jeremy phased and attacked that...thing that had a hold of you. When he grabbed it, he accidentally cut your arm open with his left claw. Do you...do you remember what you saw that night?” Becks said gently. 

 

“I do! But it wasn’t a giant fucking wolf!” Maya said desperately, she was starting to hyperventilate. 

 

“Then who got that creep off of you?” Keye said. “Think!” Maya looked at her frantically, her heart hammering in her chest as she careened toward a panic attack. A rushing sound like water pulsed in her ears as she felt herself going under. She heard the muffled voice of Keye: “See! This is why he should have told her sooner. She’s fucking panicked!” 

 

Maya focused on her breathing as Becks tried to soothe her. That night...there was a flash of red eyes, the ice cold grip around her neck and then, a flash of warm brown fur mixed with the searing pain in her arm. When she collapsed on the cold concrete, her vision had been blurry, but she’d seen it. Now that she was trying to open up that memory, mixed so clearly in her nightmares, she saw it. 

 

A giant brown wolf had it’s back to her in that alley, snarling and tearing at the struggling man who had had Maya’s throat in his hands just seconds before. When a clear shattering sounded from the alley, the wolf turned it’s head to look over at Maya, his gaze connecting with hers before everything went black. 

 





On Sunday morning, Maya walked over to Paul’s. Her hurried steps did nothing to quell the nervous energy rising in her throat. 

 

Paul was a fucking wolf? No way.

 

Maya had been awake almost the entire night before thinking about it. After she had remembered Jeremy’s form in that alleyway, everything was thrown into disarray. 

 

Does she confront him? Ask him point blank if he’s a wolf part time and call him out for lying to her about it since the imprint? Wasn’t that important information? 

 

Keye had told Maya that Sam asked her and Becks to let Paul tell Maya about the true nature of the pack, but when Paul failed to do so, they had both grown worried. They didn’t like keeping secrets from her, but Jeremy would remind them that it wasn’t their place to come between the imprint and telling her without Paul could ruin things between them. Maya wasn’t sure if Jeremy was correct or not, but she would ask Paul in no uncertain words: ‘Hey..what the fuck?’ 

 

As she climbed the steps that linked the beach to Paul’s backyard, she took deep breaths to steady herself. 

 

You can do this. She said to herself. You can look like an absolute idiot in front of your boyfriend for five seconds and when he looks at you like you need your head examined, you can laugh and say ‘Haha just kidding. Take me to bed.’ 

 

Good plan. 

 

As Maya pushed open the back door into the house, she already felt the pull of relief rush through her. This house felt like home to her. Paul felt like home to her. 

 

“Paul?” she called out. The house seemed empty though and she dropped her bag by the kitchen table as she went to brew some coffee. She was there pretty early, but he was almost always here if he wasn’t out of town. A few minutes later as she poured some coffee into a mug, she heard the front door open and Paul, breathless, walked through it. 

 

“My?” he said, coming around the corner. When he laid eyes on her, he beamed. He was shirtless and glistening in sweat. He made his way to her and scooped her up in his arms, crushing his lips to hers. Maya squealed and when he plopped her on the counter and pulled his face away from hers for a second, his hands pawing at her jean buttons, he said, “You’re here early. I wasn’t expecting you so soon.” His lips were on her neck now and Maya let out a little sigh that mingled with a moan. Paul shuddered at the sound and successfully unbuttoned her jeans and quickly peeled them off down her thighs. “Arms up,” he said as he pulled her shirt up off of her. Maya was smiling as he kissed down her collarbone, unlatching her bra and tossing it aside to take her breast in his mouth. Maya threaded her hands through his hair and held him to her. 

 

He lifted her up under her thighs and carried her to the couch, his lips too frantic indicating he couldn’t make it upstairs. He kissed down her body slowly, taking his time and causing Maya to dampen with anticipation. As he pulled off her pink underwear, he let his index finger run the line of her fold before he took her in his mouth. Maya arched her back and threw her head back letting out an elated moan. Amidst huffs and sweet breaths, she whispered to him, “Oh I missed you.”

 

This sent him into a frenzy and he tentatively dipped a finger into her, causing her to gasp as he pulled on her to climax. She released into him in one shuddering breath and for a moment, everything cleared blissfully from her mind and she felt free. 

 

That afternoon after they had showered together and Paul had distracted her in bed some more that ended with Maya straddling herself across his face, she sat out on the back deck that overlooked the ocean, her textbooks spread out in a mess on the table. 

 

The sun dipped in and out of the low hanging clouds and Maya revelled in the temporary warmth of it all. Paul came out and set down a glass of iced tea and some fruit in front of her before sitting down in the chair next to her looking out over the ocean. Maya picked at the fruit and watched him instead. It was now or never, she told herself. 

 

“Paul?’ she said gently. He looked over to her, his face glowing in the warm temporary sunlight. She almost lost her breath when he looked at her like that—when he looked at her at all honestly. The look always communicated their unspoken bond, that reached out and whispered in the back of Maya’s brain: You are mine. 

 

“Hmm?” he said, grabbing a grape out of the bowl. She had no idea how to go about asking him this. 

 

“Do you…” Turn into a giant fucking wolf at will? She met his eyes now and they looked at her curiously, “Do you think there are other things about our tribe’s legends that are true? Kind of like how the imprint was true?” What kind of convoluted question…

 

Paul looked at her hard for a second. She’d give him an opening at least. 

 

“Like what?” he said, a light tone in his voice after an excruciating few minutes of silence. Maya let out a breath. She had no idea how to proceed and then...she remembered the flash of red eyes. 

 

“Like...the cold ones,” she said slowly, her eyes measuring the recognition filling his. He kept his face stone though and Maya wondered if it was always this easy for him to lie. Especially to her.

 

“Maybe,” he said noncommittally to the idea. Maya kept her eyes on him, the snake in her belly striking at her insides and filling her with dread. She wrapped her hands around her stomach and tried to continue. 

 

“Maybe? You think something like the imprint can exist but not the cold ones?” she quizzed echoing Keye’s logic. Paul was watching her carefully but not saying anything. Maya was starting to see the truth brewing in him and she worked to keep her breathing even. 

 

“I guess when you put it like that…” he said and trailed off, looking down to the fruit and back up to her nonchalantly. Maya was simmering. What was happening? Why wouldn’t he say it? Maybe it sounded just as crazy in his head as it did to Maya. 

 

“Then what? They’re real?” she said softly. He shrugged and didn’t give her an answer, but his eyes flashed with recognition. Something in Maya snapped and the snake stood up and arched back, ready to strike. “I need to tell you something.” Maya hated secrets after all. 

 

“Okay,” he said. She couldn’t figure out what was behind his tone. But he watched her, even keel, and it was infuriating. If what Keye said was true then why didn’t he just tell her now? Why wouldn’t he tell her when the imprint happened? Her anger was rising and she was certain the snake was going to poison her from the inside out if she didn’t say something. 

 

“I got in. To Columbia and Princeton.” That….wasn’t what she was going to say. She sucked in a sharp breath, surprised at her own misstep. 

 

“Oh,” pain instantly flooded his eyes. Before where clear tension held on, he slumped. “That’s...that’s amazing Maya. I knew you’d get in,” he tried to cheer his tone but Maya heard it. Disappointment. Tears threatened around the edge of her eyes now as internally, she escalated. 

 

This was never going to work. The imprint would make them miserable apart. He was already miserable now that he heard the news and knew she would leave. Maya flinched at what it would be like when she actually left him. And then...she knew what she needed to do:

 

If he could lie, she could lie too. 

 

“I…” she started, in a whisper and then choked. She had to make it convincing if she was going to believe it herself and hammer it into him too. She cleared her throat and looking at him hard she said, “I don’t think this is going to work...me and you.” 

 

Paul’s eyes hardened as he watched her, the breath starting to pull in faster in his chest. “What are you talking about?” 

 

“You know what I mean,” Maya said, trying to clear the obvious shake from her voice, “This. Us. I don’t think it’s a good idea for us to be...together.” she clarified. 

 

Paul was starting to shake and Maya gripped the arms of her chair now. “Maya, don’t do this.” His voice was a mixture of pain and anger, the tremors clear in his voice. 

 

“Do what? We haven’t even gotten that far. It’s better this way and I can’t….I don’t want to hold onto you when I’m out there,” her eyes moved around now, digging for any excuse to keep her grounded. 

 

“No.” he said through gritted teeth, “I won’t let you do this.” She could hear the anger growing now and his body physically started to blur as he shook. 

 

“It’s not up to you, Paul,” she shot back, her voice filled with venom. “This was never going to work—”

 

“NO!” he yelled now. Maya gasped, fear apparent on her face and then it shifted to anger as she recovered. The snake hissed and lashed within her. 

 

“I decide the nature of the imprint. Not you. she seethed. Paul threw back his chair, unable to calm down and Maya made a sound of fright. He stumbled backwards into the backyard and Maya watched him wide eyed as he shuddered and shook, trying to bring himself under control but failing. “Paul!” she yelled. But he was gone and then, right before her eyes, he exploded, his clothes falling off him in tatters, into a giant grey and black wolf. Maya quickly got up and jumped back as the wolf growled, bearing its teeth at her. 

 

Fear shook through Maya, as she pressed her body up against the side of the house watching as the wolf eyed her, seething anger in its face. Keye had been right. Maya’s face screwed up in the anger and pain that had been etched on his earlier. 

 

The wolf stared her down for what felt like forever before it turned and took off down the hill toward the beach and disappeared into the tree line. The speed at which it moved was unnerving. Maya, alone now, collapsed on the deck in shock with a hand over her chest as she choked out a sob. 

 

Everything in her was gone. 



Chapter 19: That was strange to see you again

Chapter Text

There’s no time like the present, or so they say. But often, when you’re present, you realize nothing specific about your situation—the good and the bad look the same. It’s only when you get some distance from them that you realize them for what they are: good, bad, necessary. So really, the saying should be ‘There’s no time like the future, because in the future the truth of it all will set you free.’ But even in the future, I’ll still be stuck painfully in the present.  

 


Maya felt lost. She wandered the hallways of her high school absently on Monday morning and when the bell rang for first period, she was all the way on the other end of the school from her class. 

 

Paul was an actual wolf. This fact had wracked Maya’s nerves for all of Sunday after she nearly sprinted home and locked herself in her room. 

 

From then on, everything felt thrown into doubt: if the wolf warriors were actual wolves, what else about their legends were true? Her world had turned a different hue and in it, Paul was something she only vaguely recognized. The pulse of the imprint was quiet right now, having been quelled by her immense shock and fear at having Paul’s giant wolf form tower over and snap at her in his anger. 

 

But what had struck Maya as exceptionally odd was that although in that moment she felt pure fear and albeit horror at his transformation, she distinctly did not feel like she was in danger. This worried Maya—was she completely naive and the dangers of the world would be out there waiting for her once she left the safety cloak of the reservation? Her mind shot back to that night in the alley. The cold man with red eyes. She knew him for what he was now—a cold one. Her heart pounded in her chest, now fully understanding the danger she had been in. And Jeremy….he had saved her without hesitation. 

 

During her passing period, she looked for him now, but he was nowhere to be seen. Should she be worried by that too? 

 

Maya didn’t have a lot of time or energy to put toward her worry though—finals were upon her and she had a decision to make: which university should she choose? Never in her wildest dreams did Maya think she would have gotten into both of her dream schools and now that the options were before her, she stood frozen, uncertain of what to do. 

 

“Maya!” Keye said to her for the third time at lunch, “Earth to My!” Maya pulled her eyes up and looked bleary-eyed at Keye and Becks. She had been so lost in thought that from second period until lunch, she’d been in a haze, floating from one class to the next. 

 

“Sorry,” she mumbled looking down at her food that she definitely didn’t have an appetite for. 

 

“You okay?” Keye said, stabbing her fork into her mixed green salad. Becks looked on, worried. 

 

“Where’s Jeremy, Becks?” Maya said, distracted from Keye’s original question. Becks opened her mouth as if to say something and then closed it. “Becks?” Maya prompted. Becks looked to Keye for a second who only shrugged. 

 

“He’s...out of town,” Becks said diplomatically. Maya looked slowly from Keye to Becks and back again. 

 

“Is that like...code for something?” Maya’s voice was monotone. She had no energy for inflection and simply having this conversation drained what little energy she had left. 

 

“Ah, no.” Becks said cryptically. Maya fitted her with a stare. “He’s literally out of town.” 

 

“Okay,” Maya said slowly, looking back down at her plate. Keye started to chatter about school stuff, either oblivious to Maya’s complete disinterest in the world around her or she was just still mad about the other day. 

 

By the middle of the week, Maya had tried to shake as much of the impending dread as she could to focus. She sat cross-legged on her bed bent over her physics book when her phone buzzed beside her. Her breath caught in her throat. Could it be him? Maya didn’t know what to hope for. 

 

Keye: Are you home? 

Maya: Yeah, upstairs. Why? 

K: Okay, I’m coming over. 

 

Maya knew it was no use fighting her. About ten minutes later, she heard the distinct footsteps of Keye climbing the stairs as she called after Rish about something. When she opened the door, her hands were ladened down with text books and papers and she set them down as soon as she could. 

 

“Wooh! What the fuck!” Keye always found a way to curse, even if the occasion didn’t call for it. Maya looked at her skeptically and turned back to look at her textbook. 

 

“What are you doing here?” she said, disinterested already. 

 

“I came to study and to ask you why the FUCK YOU DIDN’T TELL ME PAUL PHASED IN FRONT OF YOU AND NOW YOU ACTUALLY KNOW.” Keye yelled. 

 

“Jesus! Close the fucking door!” Maya said in a hurried whisper jumping up and moving around Keye to close it. “And yes, he did fucking do that. I haven’t been able to...to talk to him since.” 

 

“Why?” Keye said confused. “He’s a giant fucking wolf so what?” 

 

“So what?! Keye, he lied to me. I was leading him into telling me and he just...denied it. Or...didn’t come out with it. And then when I told him I didn’t want to be with him anymore, he freaked out and exploded out of his fucking clothes,” Maya held a hand to her forehead recounting the memory. 

 

“You told him you didn’t want to be with him anymore?!” Keye said, “Well that makes sense why he took off then,” she muttered under her breath. 

 

“Took off? What are you talking about?” Maya’s eyes were wide. He was gone? Why hadn’t she felt that? Shouldn’t the imprint make her feel that absence like all the times he went to Seattle? She put a hand over her stomach and wondered if she somehow broke the imprint. Was that even possible? 

 

“Yeah, when Becks said Jeremy was ‘out of town’, that’s what she meant.” Keye said simply. Maya was breathing in quick now, her hand still over her stomach. “My?” 

 

“I...I didn’t know,” she said, to which Keye looked confused. But Maya was worried about the imprint and why she couldn’t feel that familiar tug anymore. And more than anything else in that moment, she wanted to feel it to know that he was still there. 

 

“He’ll come back, My,” Keye said softly.

 




The night of the bonfire, Maya felt deflated. It had been almost one whole week of nothing from Paul and she still hadn’t felt the imprint pull at her. Like an expectant mother waiting for her baby to kick as a sign of life, Maya would lay awake in bed and try to beckon that familiar feeling forward. But still...nothing. She felt broken. 

 

Since the weather had started to warm up, Rish wanted Maya to wear one of her sundresses for the announcement. In true obliging fashion, Maya donned her dark blue, floor length sundress that was dotted with tiny multi-colored flowers of white, yellow, blue, and green. The dress had two slits on either side that came up to mid-thigh. 

 

She tied her hair half up and braided the half ponytail. Dabbing on some clear lip gloss Maya looked at herself in the mirror. Dark circles pulled down at her eyes and she looked paler. Her whole body felt limp. If she had broken the imprint somehow, this must have been the price of it. 

 

The bonfire gathering was imbibed with an air of celebration. People milled about, cheerfully chatting and hugging one another. When Maya showed up, many of her neighbors and community members came over to congratulate her and pull her into back slapping hugs. She perked up a little bit at the atmosphere and even relaxed a little when she realized that no one from Sam’s pack was at the bonfire. She didn’t know what she’d do if Paul showed up. Run? Scream? Dash into his arms to shake this deadened feeling in her? 

 

Just before the announcements were to begin, Chief Black called Maya over to him. Her heart sank as she walked over, her hands curled into fists at her side as she tried to keep her face serene. But she knew what was coming. 

 

“Chief Black, good to see you,” she said, but her tone was all off. Maya didn’t even recognize the sound of the voice coming from her. Chief Black fitted her with a serious stare and then, his face broke into a calming smile. 

 

“What’s bothering you, Maya?” he said just as calmly. Maya almost felt unnerved but she looked away from him and then back before shrugging nonchalantly. 

 

“It’s big news, I’m just trying to process it,” she replied in the stranger’s voice. 

 

“You’d be wise to give the news a chance to sink in and accept it as part of your past, present, and future. Make it easier on everyone,” he said quietly. Maya got the feeling they weren’t talking about colleges anymore. Her face was set in a hard line. 

 

“Wasn’t it you who told me the imprint defines the relationship?” she crossed her arms now. “That wasn’t entirely true was it?” Who was this person talking back to her chief without a care in the world? 

 

“It was true in the moment that you needed to hear it.” He said firmly, “And what’s more, if you had worked to understand the imprint and the connection you share with him these past five months, you’d know that life apart is no life at all. But I can see you’re already feeling the effects of that,” he nodded to her figure. Maya was upset now, and tears brimmed at her eyes angrily as she tried to push them back down. 

 

“You don’t know anything about my connection to him.” 

 

“The one thing I did tell you that remains true is that there must be a relationship of some kind. Going against that will not bode well for you. I suggest you make the necessary decisions that lead you back in the right direction or we will do it for you.” He replied ominously. 

 

“What is that supposed to mean?” her voice shook. They couldn’t make her do anything, she knew that, but Maya also didn’t want to find out what Chief Black was capable of, even if he was bluffing. 

 

“Tonight is a night for celebration. Let’s be sure to let this energy go before coming into the circle.” He chided before he walked off. 

 

“What the fuck was that about?” Keye and Becks had been watching from the other side of the clearing and walked toward Maya now who was almost shaking with anger. 

 

“He’s trying to scare me,” Maya said. Her shaking voice may have indicated that she was scared, but instead, she was filled with seething anger. And worse yet was that it had nowhere to go. 

 

As they were called toward the bonfire, Becks and Keye flanked her, worried gazes on her back as they sat down in the circle. After the updates, Chief Black turned his attention toward Maya, the firelight flickering across her drawn face. 

 

“And finally, we’d like to end these announcements with congratulations to Maya Sunriviere. Our Ivy league hopeful has got into not only Princeton but Columbia University as well. We are so proud of her and hope she understands that she carries the tribe with her into this new adventure. We are always with you.” He leveled her with a deep stare and Maya’s lips parted suddenly. The entire tribe broke into applause and hoots, Becks rubbed her back and leaned into her. 

 

After the close of the announcements, Maya stood up and dusted herself off when Keye grabbed her hand. Maya looked at her suddenly and said, “What?” in a small, confused voice. Keye nodded in front of her, and across the fire stood Paul Lahote. 

 

The deadened feeling that had settled in her where the imprint once lived roared to glorious life again and she almost gasped at the feeling rocketing through her. Paul’s face was set in stone, his eyes filled with want, anger, and need to be near her. But his fists stayed clenched down at his sides and the tall figure of Sam appeared next to him leaning down and saying something in his ear. 

 

This seemed to shift his gaze around and he moved back from the fire. Maya took an automatic step toward him, revelling in the thrilling, fizzing feeling of the imprint alive in her again. But then, Jeremy was next to her, his hand on her arm and his face looking very serious. 

 

“Paul.” she whispered, her eyes filling with tears now. But he had already disappeared and Maya couldn’t bring herself to go after him.

 


 

 

“I define the imprint relationship. Not you!” Maya had yelled at him. Paul was having a hard time seeing straight and the rush of the ocean was growing in his ears. The shaking inside of him was rising up his spine and burning at his hands.  His vision was starting to blur and all he wanted to do was let go. 

 

But Maya...Maya was everything. The giant exhale he had been holding in his body for years had finally been released when she came into the picture, but now he was under water and he didn’t think he’d be able to take another full breath again. Not with her gone. 

 

Her face was anchored in anger and Paul knew that she’d figured him out. Jeremy or Becks had told her, he was sure of it. He was going to tell her. He thought he was going to tell her, but everytime Paul had opened his mouth to tell the truth, he watched her disappear before his eyes. 

 

But now, as he stumbled into the backyard away from her, Paul knew that he had she was lost to him again. And with that understanding, he phased, letting the rage that bubbled just under the surface out. This rage felt different than the kind he was familiar with growing up. This was something closer to grief and pulled him in a thousand different directions. 

 

Maya looked at him in fear now, her back pressed against the house and all Paul wanted to do was go back in time to just a few hours ago when he had held her petite body in his hands and pulled sounds from her that made him ache for more. 

 

But she was looking at him now like what he always suspected he might be: a monster. Paul did the only thing he could do since he was incapable of moving closer to her—he bolted dwon the beach and into the forest where he coud get well and truly lost. 

 

What the fuck! 

 

Well, not for long. 

 

You told her?! Jared’s voice was echoing in his head now as Paul played on replay the altercation between him and Maya to fuel his feet to run faster, farther, away from this. 

 

I thought that’s what you were going to do anyway? Embry said confused. 

 

Not like that. He seethed. Paul replayed Maya telling him it was over, the break forming a larger crack through himself that he could slip farther into. 

 

Oh fuck. Collin said, despair in his voice. She dumped you? 

 

At least you dodged the bullet of fucking a high schooler. Jared said.

 

Yeah you’d never live that one down. Embry tried to placate.

 

Still gave head to a high schooler though. Quil butted in now and the rage that coursed through Paul ebbed a little at the presence of his brothers. 

 

She’ll come back. Leah pulled up next to him now and they ran in unison. But if you need to take off for a while—clear your head—I’ll cover for you. 

 

Paul had a moment of temporary peace and then he pushed himself harder, pointing himself north and hightailing it off the reservation as fast as he could. Behind him, he heard a volley of wolf howls and something inside him broke. 

 




“She’s quiet. Becks says she’s not talking much and doesn’t want to be around anyone. Keeping her head in the books.” 

 

Paul listened as Jeremy filled him in. It had only been a few days, but he couldn’t help calling Jeremy to ask about Maya. Every moment of his day was filled with her face and the final words that left her lips to him. He allowed the pain of it to settle deep in him but it was no match for his desire to return to her, grab her and tell he was sorry. 

 

“Paul?” Jeremy asked as the silence rang clean on his end. 

 

“Yeah, sorry,” he said, his voice gravelly. “Just...keep me updated.” 

 

“There’s a bonfire this Friday. She’ll be there. The council is announcing and formally congratulating her on getting into Columbia and Princeton. Just...a heads up.” 

 

“Thanks, Jeremy.” Paul said as he quickly ended the call. 

 

Paul sat in silence for a moment staring out the window. He was in his workshop in Seattle. Originally, the plan had been to run as far north as he could, across the border, homefree. But the second he got outside the reservation, the pain was back. It was more pronounced this time and Paul worried he’d snap in two if he went much further. So he limped his way into Seattle and settled in his workshop to camp out. 

 

The pain of the separation was worse than it was when he would take his regular trips to Seattle. It radiated through him, causing him to stop suddenly and catch his breath. Sometimes the pain could even bring him to his knees and he’d have to fight the urge to spring back to La Push where his mind and body called him to. 

 

This imprint was no joke. 

 

Now, Paul sat on his work stool, cradling his phone and staring ahead, waiting for the pain to die down in his hands so he could dial someone else. 

 

“Hey. You alright?” Sam asked on the other end. 

 

“This is impossible.” Everytime he tried to address the pain, the urge in him would reignite and he’d have to roar against it in anger to even stay in one place. 

 

“She’ll come around. Stay away as long as you need but…” 

 

“I don’t think I can stay away too long. She won’t let me.” He seethed. 

 

“The bond won’t let you.” Sam corrected and Paul scoffed. 

 

“I never wanted this Sam. I never asked for this.” He spit. 

 

“None of us do. But it’s worth it.” Sam conceded. Paul wasn’t so sure. 

 

“Yeah, well...you’ve never had an 18 year old have this much power over your every waking moment. I don’t know if that’s true.” 

 

There was a pause. 

 

“Paul. She’s worth it.” Sam was firm but sincere. Paul looked down now and nodded his head knowing that Sam couldn’t see. 

 

Maya flashed into his mind now, naked and sprawled on the bed in Santa Monica. Paul hadn’t thought his hands could touch enough of her, he felt hungry for her all of the time. And the fire that lit desire in her eyes as he buried his face between her legs pulling his name from her lips was seared into his brain. But she’d turn that fire against him—now that moaning, beautiful, soft Maya hardened in front of him, her back pressed to the side of the house as she burned with what he could only assume was pure hatred. 

 

He closed his eyes tightly trying to wipe the memory from his mind, but she stayed there. 

 

“Can she…?” Paul choked and tried to regain himself. “Can she break the imprint?” He didn’t know if he wanted to know the answer to that. If this was his future, Paul thought he would have to break apart and disappear. 

 

“No. She can’t.” Sam said, sureness and finality in his voice. “Come home when you’re ready.” 



After two more excruciating days, Paul sprinted home the day of the bonfire. He was only a little surprised when he phased that Jeremy was already there and joined him quickly when he broke back into the woods to head home. 

 

Have you been here this whole time? Paul said. 

 

Call it: broadening my horizons. Jeremy quipped. Paul bumped into him with his shoulder and they raced each other back to the rez. 

 

When they reached the rez, it was clear Sam had given an order to the others to keep their collective consciousness void of Maya. 

 

Not that it mattered. Paul, ever the glutton for punishment, sprinted straight to Maya’s house and, still in his wolf form, waited in the trees to catch a glimpse of her. He didn’t have to wait long though. About ten minutes later, he saw Maya pacing in front of her bedroom window, book in hand. Seeing her there in the flesh for the first time since she left him sent him spiraling back into the pain and the pull of the imprint ratched him forward. 

 

He saw it now: he’d storm in, climb the steps to Maya’s room as Rish called out to him and throw open her bedroom door. She’d be startled to see him there, but before she would even get a chance to say anything, he’d cross the room, his face lit with determined fire, and take her into his arms, pressing his lips down onto her. She wouldn’t tell him to stop because she’d feel the pain ebb from her body too and he’d press her back onto the bed letting his mouth move around her as he undressed her, took off his pants and pushed his way into her without a second thought. Once inside her, she’d surrender, wave the white flag and beg him forward and there wouldn’t be another word about ‘This won’t work.’ 

 

They did work. She just needed to let him in in more ways than one. 

 

But now, buried in the treeline, his teeth bared at the thought of Maya underneath him, he snapped back into himself. She wasn’t the type to surrender, he knew that. Maya would push against his chest, tell him no, set him straight and he’d burn even more for her. He’d welcome that dissent because it reminded him that she was something to wait for, to fight for, to work for and be better for.

 

The wild fantasy settled as he watched her now. She held a hand to her chest as she walked back and forth slowly, her eyes glued to the textbook. Every now and then a brief moment of pain would flicker across her face and Paul ached to soothe it. 

 

It was then that he decided he would see her at the bonfire that night. If only to provide her a moment of temporary relief at being so close again. And then he’d leave. He would. He could do it. 

 

Maybe. 

 





We’re going to the bonfire? He could hear the smile in Seth’s voice. They didn’t really make a habit out of attending bonfires unless Sam said it was absolutely necessary. Mostly because they had patrols to run and secondly, the council was kind of pushy about imprints. 

 

Sam and Emily had four kids together at this point, but the council always asked them when they were having more. Jared and Kim always got an earful too, but Kim was busy making her way up the ranks as a physician’s assistant at the Forks Hospital and kids weren’t really in their plans for the immediate future. 

 

The council had wasted no time after he had imprinted on Maya to make their expectations about their relationship clear. A week after their initial meeting where they told Maya that she was his imprint, he had been called in. Jared had prepared him for what they might say, seeing as he got the same talking to when he imprinted on Kim when they were 16. 

 

“She’s in high school,” he had told them as he stood before them. 

 

“We understand that, but we just want to be clear that the imprint relationship is sacred and integral to carrying on the bloodline of the wolf warriors,” Elder Mila had said, “It would benefit you now to make your intentions with Maya clear from the onset.” 

 

“Plus we have it on good authority that you haven’t even reached out to her since the initial imprint.” Elder Leo said. Paul made a sound of annoyance and crossed his arms. 

 

“Paul,” Chief Black said. “We just want you to understand what this relationship must be...has to be. For the safety of our tribe. You’ve seen what’s out there, so I don’t need to explain to you what we’re up against should something go wrong. The imprint lays the road for you. You just have to follow it. And you have to make sure Maya follows it too.” 

 

Paul fixed them with a hard stare and after a moment, he said coolly, “Are we done?” 

 

To which Chief Black gave him a nod and he left. 

 

Now, as Paul made his way to the bonfire in wolf form, Seth happily running next to him, he thought about what Chief Black said. The imprint lays the road for you. You just have to follow it. 

 

What a load of shit.  He thought. 

 

Man, I hope I never imprint. Seth sighed. Paul turned his head to look at him as they ran through the forest, neither of them needing to look where they were going to navigate it successfully. Paul thought about Maya and he knew he didn’t regret the imprint. She was quite possibly the best thing that ever happened to him. But in the same vein she might also be the worst. They were both fire and he worried that if they gave into one another too easily, they would consume one another. At least that’s what he had thought when he had first imprinted. 

 

Seth watched this review of his relationship play in his head and then gave a throaty laugh. 

 

What? Paul said surprised. 

 

You love her man. And not just because of the imprint. That’s easy to see. Seth said as he pulled ahead of him in speed. Paul watched him go and something in him relaxed in that admission Seth made for him. 

 

He loved her. Now all he had to do was tell her. With a grimace, he pushed hard with his back legs and sped up. 

 

At the tree line, he donned a dark shirt and some jeans. Everyone was gathered around the bonfire now and Paul made his way quietly over, steeling himself to see her again. He realized he was clenching his fists and slowly let them relax. 

 

Paul stood on the outskirts of the group and heard the voice of Chief Black breakt through: 

 

“And finally, we’d like to end these announcements with congratulations to Maya Sunriviere. Our Ivy league hopeful has got into not only Princeton but Columbia University as well. We are so proud of her and hope she understands that she carries the tribe with her into this new adventure. We are always with you.”

 

As people filtered out around him, Paul made his way forward to the fire. His eyes connected on Maya’s form almost immediately—they were trained to find her almost anywhere—and the rush of relief he felt move through him was immediate. His fists were clenched again though and to steady himself, he only let his eyes rest on her face. 

 

She’d see him eventually, he knew that, but what she did after was up to her. Despite what Chief Black and the other elders had told him, he wouldn’t force her to do anything. Her happiness was his happiness and it wasn’t fair to push on something that she didn’t want. 

 

Paul believed that just because the imprint was said to occur when he needed it the most, that didn’t necessarily mean the same was true for Maya. And he needed to protect that space for Maya in his life as his imprint as much as possible from the outside influence of the council, her family, her friends, anybody, so that she could make the decision that was best for her. 

 

He loved her. But that didn’t necessarily translate to her loving him back. And when he broke their relationship in it’s infancy, he thought it might kill him. Here he stood though, across from her in the firelight, exactly as they started. And when her eyes finally floated over to meet his, he felt comforted by the familiar feeling wash through him that echoed in his mind: Mine. 

 

Her mouth fell open slightly and he watched the line of her lips with urgency. How he wished to press his lips against those lips again. The weight of the imprint made itself known, but he locked his feet in place. The trembling began through his knees and up to his chest, causing his vision to blur. He didn’t know how much longer he’d be able to hold himself in place and either surrender to the wolf or stride over to take Maya into his arms and not take no for an answer this time. 

 

Then, a broad, hand landed on his shoulder and Sam leaned down to whisper in his ear. 

 

“Not here. She saw you. You can see the bond is still very much intact. She’s going to come back to you.” Sam gave him a measured look and finished with, “Time to go.” 

 

Paul gave him a small nod and with one final burning look at her, he turned and disappeared into the trees with Sam. The one thing he couldn’t shake from his mind as he ran patrols that night, skirting the parameter of the rez, was that just before he had turned to leave, he saw her take a step toward him. And his heart swelled with what he only recognized as hope. 

 




Two weeks later 

 

“So we have you in Seattle on the 10th through the 13th for meeting and planning with the architect, and then Denver from the 16th to the 19th for meeting and planning with Mr. Shaw, Mr. Crenshoe, and Mrs. Little.” Michael quipped. 

 

“Good. Am I clear for the rest of June?” Paul confirmed over his laptop, pushing the black reading glasses up off his face and onto his head. The sunlight streamed in through his high workshop windows—a rarity for him in Seattle he felt. 

 

“Ah, not quite. Looks like right at the end of the month, I have you in Santa Monica for a refab on that piece for that cute little boho bar on Third Street.” Michael tapped at his iPad, no doubt making notes for follow up requests. 

 

“Fine.” Paul said dismissively. “Send me the dates for that.” He rubbed his eyes tiredly and looked back at his laptop. 

 

“Will do and, OH!” Michael said quickly. Paul looked up at him, “Should I book any of these June flights for Miss Sunriviere as well?” He looked at Paul expectantly. 

 

“Ah, no. She won’t be joining me this time,” Paul said, a little deflated. 

 

“Okay!” Michael made another note on his iPad and then turned on his heel toward the door, “I’ll be back with lunch in an hour!” he called over his shoulder. 

 

As the heavy metal door swung shut behind him, Paul let out a great sigh and leaned back in his chair. After the bonfire, Paul had asked Sam if he could take some time off from rounds. When Sam had agreed, he took off for Seattle and stayed in the apartment above his workshop to bury himself in his work. Michael was delighted to have him on hand all the time, making confirming and scheduling new consults incredibly easy for him. But Paul was itching to get back to the reservation. 

 

Maya’s graduation was coming up and Jeremy had popped by a few times a week with updates, mostly to let Paul know how she was doing, if she was stressed with finals, if she was eating/sleeping/drinking. Jeremy was happy to play the informant. The last time he had sent Jeremy on his way he reminded him: 

 

“The original request still stands by the way.” 

 

“Huh?” Jeremy said confused as he held open the door. 

 

“Keep an eye on her. No one goes near her, touches her, nothing. Understood?” Paul said firmly. 

 

“Got it.” Jeremy nodded. “Uh, but I don’t think I would have to do that. She’s already doing that herself. Last week she shoved Josh Desota so hard, I thought he was gonna puke.” He laughed at that and as Paul said, “What!?” to stop him, Jeremy darted off down the busy street and out of sight. 

 

The hope in Paul glowed warmly through his chest and carried him home back to the rez with a rare reprieve from the pain.

 

The only thing Paul could think about when he turned into his driveway, was letting his head hit the pillow and sleeping until noon the next day. As he made his way inside, dropping his bag by the front door, and dropping his keys on the shelf he had made next to the coat rack, he yawned. 

 

It was dark and as he flipped on the lights, he inhaled a deep breath, happy to finally be home again. His face screwed up in confusion and pain at the smell that invaded his senses though and he halted to glance around cautiously. 

 

As he rounded the corner to the living room, he came to an abrupt stop, his fists clenched, and his heart racing. 

 

“Maya.” He breathed. 



Chapter 20: Turning into the sea

Chapter Text

Sometimes, when you take one step forward, it actually feels like you take two steps back. But when I’m losing ground, I feel safe knowing that if I reach forward, someone will be there to grab me. My parents, my friends, my community. They’re all there for me. This time, when I lose ground and I reach out, I hope that his hand pulls me forward. But maybe that’s asking too much. Maybe I ruin things out of fear. Or maybe that’s not the hand that should pull me forward. I’m responsible for what happens next. So why am I relying on others to pull me forward when I can do it myself? 







Maya had been standing next to the bonfire feeling colder despite the licking flames when Jeremy approached her across the clearing after Paul disappeared. 

 

“Jer,” Maya breathed. She felt light headed, she felt dizzy, she felt like she needed to sit down. 

 

“Can I talk to you for a second?” he said, his eyes pleading. Maya nodded, her eyes darting back to the empty space where Paul once stood. Jeremy pulled her off out of the clearing and just inside the tree line. The cool crush of the forest wrapped Maya in quiet and she looked up at Jeremy expectantly. 

 

“Are you okay?” he started. Maya was confused at this. 

 

“Yeah, what do you mean?” she said, her eyebrows knitted across her forehead. 

 

“I mean, Chief Black. What did he say?” This was not the question Maya was expecting. She took a step back from Jeremy now and crossed her arms. 

 

“He basically threatened me,” she said. 

 

“What? Threatened you?” Jeremy was the one confused now. 

 

“Yeah, he said that if I didn’t make the necessary decisions that pointed me in the right direction, that ‘we would do it for you’,” she quoted in a dark ominous voice mocking Chief Black’s. Maya waited for Jeremy to shed light on what he might have meant, but instead he shook his head and said: 

 

“That’s weird.” They both stared at each for a minute and then without pausing, Jeremy said, “Look, I need you to do me a favor. Paul is….he’s in rough shape and I totally respect your decision to break up with him or whatever, but you need to talk to him. And tell him…” he trailed off now. Maya’s eyes went wide in surprise. 

 

“Tell him what? That he shouldn’t have lied to me? That he should have just told me what was going on? That this...imprint, our tribe, is so much bigger than anything I could have imagined?” Maya wasn’t angry anymore, she was just tired and strung out on her grief. Jeremy shook his head, his face screwed up in pain now. 

 

“Tell him that he’s not a monster,” Jeremy stated plainly, the pain laced clearly in his voice now. 

 

“What?” Maya breathed. 

 

“He thinks you hate him for what he is and that you consider him a monster...that he could never be what you want him to be. It’s killing him. You have to tell him...I know you don’t think that, My. Because if you thought that he was a monster, then what does that make me?” Jeremy’s eyes were wet now. 

 

“You’re not...you’re not a monster,” Maya said walking toward him. 

 

“Then talk to him. Maya he’s...I’ve never seen him like this.” 

 

“I just need some..time. I need to get through finals and get my head around this. I have fucking wolf whiplash,” she said quickly. Jeremy laughed at this and the sound startled Maya. 

 

“Wolf whiplash, that’s good,” he said, still chuckling. Maya gave him a tentative smile. “He’s in love with you Maya.” She sucked in a sharp breath at that. “I know I’m not the one who should tell you that, but if it wasn’t clear to you before this then maybe you need to hear it.” 

 

“I know he does,” she said after a long pause. “I…” but she couldn’t finish that sentence. 

 

“If you care about him, even a little bit. You’ll talk to him. Just let him tell you what happened. And then you can walk away. Just give him that chance..to explain.” 

 

Maya stared at Jeremy with a determined look, her body cool now. 

 

“Okay.” 


Three weeks later


“Maya.” Paul breathed. Maya stood in the dimly lit living room, hair pulled away from her face in a high ponytail short jean cut off shorts and baby blue linen top that tied around her midsection and ended in two soft petal sleeves over her shoulders. Paul stood frozen in place before her and his eyes lit up with trepidation. Maya clenched and unclenched her fists, trying to ease the pain pulsing through them as they begged to reach out and touch him. “What are you…” he said, his voice rough, hard, wanting. 

 

“I came to talk to you,” Maya said finally. She had no idea how she was able to formulate words at this moment. The breath was gone from her and her entire body felt like it would burst apart at any moment. Just being in front of him sent shockwaves through her body and down her legs, making her knees quake. She wanted him.The imprint wanted him. And Maya was growing tired of denying it. She slowly walked around the couch to stand across from him, making sure to stay far enough away to turn and make a quick exit if he lost control on her again. 

 

“To talk,” he repeated back to her. His eyes were glued to her face as his chest rose and fell in obvious stress. Maya had to do this right, to protect them both, but she wasn’t sure if she could. 

 

“Yes. I know it’s been...hard,” she nearly choked. Paul took two steps toward her and she held her hand up in front of her, eyes wide and said “Stop!” she pulled in ragged breaths, “Stay there, please.” she begged. His eyes were frantic, wide, pain evident. 

 

“My,” he said softly and she nearly crumbled. 

 

“I came to tell you...to tell you that you’re not a monster.” She said quickly so as not to lose her nerve. “I would never...ever think you were a monster, Paul.” Her voice shook obviously now and it took everything for her to stay in place. His face turned hard. “I was upset that you didn’t tell me sooner. And in Santa Monica when we...changed, I thought that meant we were moving forward together.” 

 

“We were.” he said, “But you stalled us.” His voice was angry now and Maya watched him carefully. 

 

“That’s not fair.” she whispered. “I didn’t feel like you gave me a choice anymore. If you lied to me about—”

 

“I didn’t lie,” he interrupted her and Maya sucked in a sharp breath, “I was going to tell you, I just…” 

 

“What?” Maya said, frustration building. Maya had the growing feeling that this wasn’t going to end well, but she stayed still. 

 

“I just wanted a little more time with you as just us. We already had so much pressure with the imprint and the council. And when we finally got together, I wanted to give you just a moment of a normal relationship without introducing all of this….wolf shit into it too. You deserved something that was good for no other reason than it was just good.” He paused watching her reaction, every nerve ending in his body buzzing to close the distance. “I was going to tell you. You just didn’t give me a chance to explain.” 

 

Maya was angry now. Not just at him, but at herself. Things kept getting in between them and she never knew if that would end. Now, with the wolf out of the bag, she knew that the next thing that would come between them would be when she left for college. There was no end in sight, but still, the imprint begged her closer. It was maddening, confusing.

 

“Here’s your chance,” she said, tears coming to her eyes now. “Tell me the truth.” His eyes softened, and the stone facade on his face eased into one of relief. 

 

“Maya,” he started, taking one step forward, “I know this is going to sound crazy, but sometimes I turn into a giant wolf in my free time.” Another step, “And I know things are complicated between us and that you’re going to leave for college,” Another step forward, “But if you don’t let me touch you, this pain is going to make me explode.” He was close enough now to see her eyes glittering with tears and hear the sharp intake of breath as she listened so intently to him that it crushed his heart. Another step forward and he was close enough to bring his hand up to her face and touch it. She closed her eyes at the feeling of his warm broad hand against her cool cheek. 

 

Maya knew now that if she let him go any farther, this would be it. She opened her eyes to look up at him, opening her mouth as if to say she had to go, but his eyes stopped her. They bored into hers and she saw the path that was laid before them. And she still didn’t know if it was what she wanted. 

 

“Maya,” he said gently, his thumb brushing across the crest of her cheek to catch a tear that had escaped, “I’m in love with you.” She let out a laugh that was choked by a sob and let her eyes fall to his chest for a moment, just to break the connection for a second. And as the imprint begged her face upward, she nodded at him which he took as the green light to lower his lips thankfully to hers. 

 

The rush of it pushed into her and made her swell with light. His arms were wrapped down around her back now, pressing her body hard into his as she clutched either side of his face.  She parted her lips to let his frenzied tongue into her mouth. 

 

He pulled back for a moment to look at her face, his eyes darting around for an answer, and before she could answer his unspoken question, he picked her up under her thighs, wrapping her legs around his back and carried her up the stairs to the bedroom. 

 

When he placed her gently down on the soft bed, his body hovering over hers as his hands made their way down to untie the knot at the front of her shirt, Maya let out a huff of air, her brain reeling. Was she really going to do this? There would be no turning back if she did. His hands were on the button of her shorts, and they were pulled down her legs and tossed aside in one swift movement. Paul’s head dipped to kiss around the line of her hips and little pockets of fire bloomed where his lips pressed. 

 

He was pushing her top up to expose her breasts, pleased that she wasn’t wearing a bra and his mouth fell to encase her nipple in his lips immediately with a soft groan. She pulled her bunched up top over her head and threw it aside, letting her fingers rake through his mop of hair as she let out soft, startled moans at the pleasure rippling through her. 

 

Maya leaned up a little causing him to take his mouth off of her and look up. She quickly grabbed the sides of his shirt and pulled it off over his head. Paul looped a hand around her naked back and hoisted her farther up the bed, so her head rested on the pillows as she let her hands drift down his naked chest, coming to rest on the top of his jeans. His lips were working around her shoulder and neck and she hesitated for one brief second, trying to make up her mind.

 

Things were already complicated, messy even. And they would probably continue to get messier if their recent history was any indication of things to come. But Maya wanted to try a different way, one where she wasn’t holding on so tightly to her self control. She promised herself that she wouldn't let the imprint derail her, but she was tired of fighting against impulses with Paul that felt natural, that felt like something more than the imprint. Life would get messier, and Maya would wade through it when the time came. 

 

Decision now made, her fingers unbuttoned and unzipped his pants and she started to push them down his hips. He stopped kissing her to bring his eyes in front of her face, confusion set with desire. 

 

“Are you sure?” he asked softly and Maya thrilled at the question. She nodded quickly, her eyes communicating the aching pulse that was happening between her legs. He lowered his face down to kiss her softly, letting his lips linger over hers as his right hand drifted down the middle of her body, his fingertips whispers on her skin. They stopped only briefly to circle the nipple of her right breast, caressing the curve and then running across her stomach that rose and fell in labored breaths before slipping under the soft, blue lace of her underwear and sliding between her folds. 

 

Maya let out a soft sigh of release at his touch that rubbed the pool of warmth growing there. He dipped his index finger into her as she let out a soft moan, and spread her legs open more for him. A soft guttural growl sounded in Paul’s throat in response to her body and pushed his lips back onto hers. He worked his fingers at her more, letting his thumb circle and press at the top of her ridge pulling heady breaths from her now. When she breathed his name, want dripping from her lips, he removed his hand and backed off the bed to take off his pants and briefs quickly. 

 

He was back on top of her in a flash and as he stared into her half lidded eyes, he brought a hand to her face to stroke his thumb across her lips. She puckered her lips and kissed it softly, her hand snaking down underneath them to take him full and hard in her hand. His mouth dropped open softly at this and as she pulled softly on the length of him, he let out a low sound that drove Maya crazy. His eyes had shut at some point, focusing on the feeling of her soft hand around him and when he opened his eyes to look at her again, she was smiling. He smiled back and kissed softly against her lips before saying once more, “You’re sure?” 

 

She nodded again and said softly, “Yes, I’m sure.” and with her hand still on him, guiding him in, he pushed into her slowly. Maya let out a cry of pain laced with pleasure and when she let go of his member to thread her arms around his neck, he gripped her hips and lowered his mouth to her ear. She whimpered softly as he gently pushed halfway into her and then pulled out slowly. 

 

“Breathe,” he whispered to her, “Relax into it.” He was covered in her warmth and he could have easily slipped all the way into her wet center if he wanted to, but instead, he gently pressed halfway in and pulled out slowly to get her used to him, pressing soft kisses to the side of her face and lips. Paul was holding so tightly to her hips to keep himself in control of his movement that he thought he might bruise her. After a few minutes of gently opening her, Maya’s moans coming easy and relaxed now he brought his face up over hers so he could look into her eyes. He wanted to watch her face for this part. 

 

“Deep breath,” he said to her and she obeyed. As she filled her lungs with sweet breath, he pushed all the way into her, burying himself in her until his hips connected to hers. Her eyes went wide in shock, pleasure, relief, ecstasy and she let out a loud cry of pleasure. 

 

Maya felt the imprint in her rejoice, racketing unshakable pleasure through her body that made her buzz with happiness. It felt like every nerve was standing on end and exhaling in one moment then standing erect at attention the next. 

 

“You okay?” he said, his breath labored, and his face shining anew with hope at the beautiful woman that laid under him, wanting him, begging him forward. 

 

“Yeah,” she said elated and with an achingly gorgeous grin that Maya tried hard to hold in her mind, he began to thrust in and out of her. She didn’t think she could get any higher, but his rhythm filled her with a need that had roared to life the second he entered her. She wanted more of him if that was even possible and the ache gripped and tensed around him inside of her making her moan into his mouth, his ear, his shoulder. 

 

Paul was working toward release, still in shock that he was buried in her considering that just an hour ago she had felt lost to him. And as he kissed every part of her that his mouth could reach without pulling out of her, his mind flashed with the need to give her everything. This woman could bring him to his knees and he welcomed it now if it meant he got to have her like this. This perfect moment where nothing existed except their need for one another was something worth protecting and fighting for.

 

When he felt himself getting close, the response from her body tugging and gripping him so much he thought he’d pass out, he rubbed his thumb at the top of her ridge again. This made Maya throw her head back, her back arch as she revelled in the utter overstimulation. She could feel him building to climax inside of her as his desperate moans gave him away. 

 

“Wait!” she gasped. 

 

“My, please,” he replied and in one swift moment, he came in her as she reached a crescendo, her body tensing and twitching under him in one beautiful release. 

 

He collapsed on top of her with a groan of release and quickly rolled himself off her and to the side. They laid there for a moment, their chests rising and falling in unison, out of breath. When he had gotten himself under control, he rolled on his side, letting a hand grip her waist. 

 

“We’re in trouble,” he said, his voice gravelly from their efforts. Maya laughed, turning her head to look at him, still catching her breath. 

 

“You can say that again. I’m not on birth control,” she let out a laugh and Paul groaned before lowering his head to bury it in her shoulder and let out a laugh. 

 

“Fuck,” he said, amused. “I’ll be back.” He said, leaning up and bounding out of the bed to pull on some sweats and t-shirt. When he turned to look at her, his eyes running the length of her naked body, relaxed in post-coital relief, he smiled and said “Don’t even think about getting dressed.” 

 

She laughed and he was off. 

 

Messy. Maya thought to herself. They may be messy, but they worked. 



Chapter 21: Finding even ground

Chapter Text

I thought my life’s biggest moments would be end capped like they are in the movies. First day of school, and then fade to black. My first memorable Christmas, and then fade to black. Meeting my best friends, and then fade to black. First kiss, and then fade to black. Graduation, and then fade to black. But life never has those end cap moments. Instead of the cool, familiar black in the movies, everything stayed in screaming color and things never had that great background music either. Life is messy and there’s no relief in the fade to black anyway. There’s just maintenance and hoping for the best.

 




When Maya woke up the next morning, she was greeted with the empty box of Plan B that she had tore into last night after Paul returned equipped with condoms and the back up birth control. After that little realization, they had been much more careful and spent the night exploring one another in detail. 

 

She was naked, like she normally found herself in Paul’s bed in the most recent instances, and she tilted the clock toward her and groaned. Just before 9 a.m. She had to meet her mom for summer revival planning at 10. Graduation was just three days away and her mother always planned a summer revival gathering on the beach for the new graduates and the community to celebrate the summer. This year it was Maya’s turn and Rish was adamant that Maya be a part of the planning. Somehow she had roped Keye and Becks in to help as well. 

 

Maya turned over under the warm arm that had been draped across her back and looked upon the sleeping form of Paul. Her heart caught in her chest and she admired him for a moment before reaching her hand out, hesitating just before she touched him, to caress his cheek. He made a small noise in his sleep and Maya’s heart skipped. 

 

When she made the decision to come over last night, she hadn’t anticipated this. She had just thought that they’d talk, smooth things over and be able to go on their way. Maya was determined to keep their break in place so that she could leave for college without incident, but when her eyes had seen him again, so close, and he had said he loved her, everything in Maya swung in favor of the imprint. She wasn’t exactly helpless to it—she had told herself she would give into the imprint this time and figure everything else out later. But this morning wasn’t later, right? 

 

She wished she could lay in this bed for longer and relish in this moment of peace with him. Their new found intimacy was addicting. It felt like the purest form of connection that they could have with one another and the relief and ecstasy they felt was no doubt a side effect of the imprint. To Maya, it felt like drinking a glass of cold water after being out in the hot sun too long, or that first rush of warmth as you stood in a hot shower after a particularly cold morning—salvation found in submersion. 

 

Now, Maya slowly extricated herself out from under Paul’s massive forearm and padded toward the bathroom. She closed the door and turned on the shower before going pee. Letting the water warm up, Maya looked at herself in the floor length mirror propped against the wall. Hun     She felt different and yet entirely the same. Keye and Becks had already lost their virginity and in her friend group Maya had been affectionately referred to as the resident prude prior to Paul. She couldn’t wait to tell them that her first time had been the definition of reckless: spent with her ex-boyfriend-turned-current-boyfriend, unprotected, that needed back up birth control. Who was this Maya? 

 

She grinned at herself in the mirror, entirely too confident, and hopped in the shower. Maya wasn’t in there long before she heard the bathroom door open and a naked Paul climbed in, his eyes still heavy with sleep. He leaned down to kiss her for a minute before saying in a low, gravelly voice.

 

“Good morning.” 

 

“Good morning,” she echoed sweetly as she rinsed the shampoo from her hair. He took his time looking over her body, his fingertips lingering at the lightly bruised indentations on her hips from his hands last night. 

 

“Mmm,” he said as he looked at the marks critically, “Need to be more careful with you.” 

 

“Huh?” Maya said confused, massaging conditioner through her hair now as she looked down at where his hands rested. She turned her body slightly and looked over her shoulder to see the barely there bruises and made an exaggerated gasping sound, followed by:

 

“Paul Lahote! How dare you!” She smiled and he leaned down to kiss her again before stepping closer to wet his hair and body so he could wash. 

 

“I’ll make it up to you,” he said casually. Maya raised an eyebrow in curiosity and thought she saw mischief glitter behind his dark eyes. 

 

“It feels like whenever I tell you no, you just get your way anyway so, I’m not even going to say not to at this point,” Maya said, soaping herself up now and starting to rub the loofah across Paul’s chest. 

 

“Me?! You’re the one that always gets what you want,” he argued, amused. Maya gave him a mock annoyed look. 

 

“I distinctly remember telling you to wait last night before you came in me. That seems like the definition of getting what you want,” Maya teased. Paul dropped his mouth open as if to reply and then started to laugh and then shrugged. 

 

“Fair enough. Sorry about that, by the way. We need to get you on birth control. I’m pretty sure babies aren’t in the college plan,” He said, rinsing his face under the water and taking the loofah from Maya to wash the rest of himself. 

 

“Definitely not,” Maya agreed, “I’ll look into it today after I’m done with summer revival stuff. Can you take me home after this? I have to be there by 10 or my mom is going to murder me.” 

 

“Sure,” he said as he scrubbed shampoo through his hair and let the soap drip down onto his face causing him to close his eyes. Maya took this moment to admire his wet frame, the water running in messy webbed paths down his hard, muscled body. Her heart rate picked up when she realized that she got to call this man hers again. After her eyes had spanned the length of his body, lingering on his lower half, she looked back up to his face. Her eyes widened in surprise when they met his. He was grinning a big, lopsided smile at her. 

 

“You finished?” he asked curtly. She nodded, her face flushing red and he reached around her to turn off the shower and open the glass door for her. She grabbed a towel and dried her hair and body before turning to see Paul watching her now. She dropped her towel and she felt the familiar rush of lust heat her body. He was over to her in two strides lifting her into his arms and pressing his lips to hers hotly before carrying her to bed. He sat himself down on the edge and straddled her across his lap. 

 

Maya could feel him hard against her stomach and he broke away quickly to whisper, “Grab one,” referring to the open package of condoms on the nightstand. She leaned over, his hands on her waist and picked one out of the box to hand to him. “Put it on me,” he said, his voice warm and their bodies still slick from the humid shower. Maya looked down at him tentatively and then opened the condom wrapper gently. She grasped him and placed the rolled condom on his wide tip trying to remember what those seemingly useless health videos had explained in her sophomore year amongst a chorus of giggles. “Roll it down.” He instructed her. 

 

Deftly, she used her index finger and thumb to roll the condom down the length of him. He chuckled at her concentration and when she finished, she looked up at him sort of proud. 

 

“Good, now climb on,” he said. Maya looked at him skeptically. Last night, Paul had steered the ship so to speak, so being on top felt like a whole new world to Maya. He cupped his hands under her ass and lifted her slightly so she hovered over him. Holding onto him, she guided him in as he lowered her slowly. Her knees rested on either side of him on the bed and once he was pressed all the way into her, her mouth hanging open at the sharp shooting pain that pulsed through her before melting into unmistakable pleasure, she started to rock herself up and down on him slowly. 

 

Paul groaned and lowered his head to nip at her shoulder, making Maya erupt into goosebumps. She circled her arms around his neck and picked up speed, pressing her chest to his, wanting to pull more of those sounds from him. Maya took intense pride in making Paul moan, call out her name, or grab her so tightly she thought she’d break. Her thighs burned with the effort but she didn’t stop. Paul was panting against her, gripping her ass tightly and kissing along her neck and up to her mouth. 

 

When they pulled back to look at one another, Maya bouncing quickly on top of him as she reached her edge, she saw that familiar look in his eyes that she saw all last night when he was inside her and about to climax. It was similar to the look that echoed the word Mine in the back of her head whenever he looked at her with the full force of the imprint, but this...this look was more aggressive, commanding, and necessary. This felt like he was claiming her. The look always pushed her over the edge. After a few more seconds of frantic bouncing, she shuddered on top of him to a close and the feeling of her tensing around him pulled him to his climax. 

 

She collapsed, breathless onto his shoulder and he wrapped his arms around her back catching his breath. 

 

“It’s 9:55,” he said between pants. 

 

“Oh fuck!” she yelled, dismounting him and running into the bathroom. Paul collapsed back onto the bed, his arms outspread with a laugh. 

 




Maya leaned across the center console to kiss Paul, his fingers resting under her chin as he held her there for a moment longer. When they broke apart he said, 

 

“Text or call me later and let me know where you’re at.” 

 

She nodded, “I will.” 

 

He kissed her one more time and as she pushed open her door, he said, “And if you need a ride back to mine tonight, just let me know. I’d love to have you for dinner—over for dinner,” he corrected. Maya laughed over her shoulder at him and said “Okay” before running up the path and porch steps to her house. It was 10:17 and she was already in for it. 

 

After a quick dressing down from her mom, Maya gathered the boxes and boxes of supplies Rish had been gathering for months and loaded them into her car. Maya had changed into her black cut off shorts, a black cropped tank and her long mustard yellow cardigan that fell to her knees. She paired it with some black doc marten books and tied her hair half up. Maya would be lying if she said she wasn’t exhausted from last night’s events, but she pulled it together and drove with her mom to the community center that was just a hop-skip from Second beach. Becks was thankfully waiting with coffee and Keye was already setting up tables. 

 

Maya took the coffee gratefully and sipped it before giving Becks a one-armed hug. 

 

“You look….rosy,” Becks said, curiosity piqued in her voice. 

 

“Do I?” Maya said, a light teasing to her tone as she took another sip and they headed over toward Keye. When they were within earshot, Becks asked: 

 

“How did the talk with Paul go last night?” Maya stalled and Keye looked at her expectantly. She had gone over with them what she was going to say and how she was going to say it. Maya had rehearsed it and even practiced leaving. Things had gone well though. Too well and she and Paul were back together. She wasn’t sure if they would be happy about that or not. 

 

Maya looked from Keye to Becks, her mouth open: 

 

“Ahh. Really good actually, yeah,” she said looking down at her shoes. 

 

“Oh yeah?” Keye goaded. Maya looked at her now with a smirk on her face and Keye lit up, “You little HUSSY!” 

 

“Shhh!” Maya hushed her frantically looking over her shoulder at her mom who was on the other side of the room sorting through the boxes she’d brought in. 

 

“What?!” Becks said, still not caught up. 

 

“We...we slept together,” Maya said quietly. Becks gasped and Keye squealed. 

 

“You did?! So does that mean…?” Becks lead on. Maya nodded her head quickly and then followed up with: 

 

“He told me he loved me.” 

 

“Oh, they all say that,” Keye joked, crossing her arms and rolling her eyes. 

 

“Shut up,” Becks laughed and elbowed Keye. 

 

“It was...amazing, honestly. Except the first time we did it we kind of...didn’t use protection and he had to run and get me Plan B and condoms,” Maya admitted. She only tinged slightly red. 

 

“I knew you were glowing with that fresh sexed glow!” Becks slapped her arm and Maya giggled. 

 

“So, I guess that means you guys are back together, right?” Keye confirmed. Maya looked at her warily. Keye loved Maya and while she liked her and Paul together, she was on Maya’s side all the way when it came to getting the hell out of La Push. She saw Paul as a possible roadblock to that and Maya had worked too hard not to get what she wanted now. 

 

“Yeah. I think so. I mean we didn’t officially talk about it but…” 

 

“But I’m pretty sure that dick you had this morning solidified the relationship real quick,” Keye laughed and Maya blushed more profusely now, “Welcome to dark side of the wolves.” 

 

“Oh my god, that reminds me,” Maya looked over her shoulder where her mom was still distracted. If they didn’t start setting up stuff soon, Rish was going to hound them. Maya took a step closer to them and they leaned in conspiratorially. “Where did you guys get your birth control?” She felt like she was participating in a weird drug deal. 

 

“Oh!” Becks said, relieved. 

 

“I bet Rish would take you to get some, your mom already thinks you two are fucking right?” Keye said. Maya shrugged and honestly wasn’t sure. 

 

“I just...I’d rather not involve her. She’s been really great about Paul mostly because I think she likes what it does to her status with the council, but I’d rather not have the...talk with her.” 

 

“Fair. You're 18 so if you want, we can get it through your doctor. Or we can go to Planned Parenthood in Port Angeles. It’s whatever you prefer.” Keye said. 

 

“Do you think if I went to my doctor that it would get back to my mom, though?” Maya questioned. 

 

“I’m pretty sure they have rules against that,” Keye said skeptical. 

 

“Guys!” Becks interjected, “Kim works at Forks Hospital as a P.A. She could easily prescribe you some if you schedule an appointment.” 

 

“Oh shit,” Maya said. “That’s not a bad idea.” 

 

“GIRLS!” Rish said annoyed from the other side of the room, “Can we please get to work? We’ve got a ton to do and Maya already made us late.” 

 

“Dick appointments are important,” Keye said a little too loud. 

 




Late that afternoon around 3, as they wrapped up the preparations, Maya pulled out her phone to text Paul. 

 

Maya: Hey, we just got done at the center. Becks and Keye wanted to drive to Port Angeles to look for graduation outfits. Is that okay? 

 

“My, you coming?” Keye called to her from across the room. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll be out in a second!” she said back as she picked up a few things waiting for a text back from Paul. Her phone rang then and she looked down at it. 

 

“Hey!” she said into the phone. 

 

“Hey. Port Angeles is fine if you take Jeremy or Collin with you. I’d go but Michael just roped me into a client consult last minute.” 

 

“Okay. I’ll text Jer and see if he’s free.” 

 

“Okay. Port Angeles and nowhere else, please.” Maya rolled her eyes. 

 

“I mean we might get dinner while we’re out there.” 

 

“You know what I mean, Maya. No clubs, no detours.” 

 

“Yeah, I hear you. Oh! Do you have Kim’s number?” 

 

“Jared’s Kim? Yeah, why?” 

 

“I was going to try and get an appointment with her to get birth control.” 

 

“Oh yeah, good idea. I’ll shoot it over. Are you coming home tonight?” 

 

“Yeah, I was gonna have Becks drop me off after we get back. Might be kind of late though. Want to give me a curfew?” she joked. 

 

“Kind of.” he sighed, an edge to his voice. 

 

“I won’t be out super late, I promise. And I’ll send you pictures.” 

 

“Pictures?” Ah, there it was. He was too easy. 

 

“Yeah, for the graduation outfits.” 

 

“My! Come ON!” Keye shouted now from across the room.

 

“Fuck. Okay, I gotta go. I’ll text you later.” 

 

“See you tonight.” 

 

She hung up and rushed across the room to an annoyed Keye who looked kind of cute when she was mad. Maya shot a text to Jeremy to ask if he could come last minute and he said he’d meet them at the city limit into Forks. 

 

The drive to Port Angeles was easy with the company she had. They sang along to their favorite songs too loudly and they buzzed with the freedom of  recently finished high school seniors. The world opened up to them and Maya felt it all rush into her as they blasted music with the windows down. 

 

When they arrived in Port Angeles, they hit Keye’s favorite boutique first. Jeremy stayed close but eventually got bored and headed off to the arcade down the street. Maya picked out a few different short dresses to wear under her gown and she found herself wondering which one Paul would like to see her in. She tried the simple light blue babydoll dress on first that came just above her knees. She turned in the dress, running her hands down the soft fabric. Maya opened the camera on her phone and took a photo, typing a quick message to Paul. 

 

Maya: What do you think of the blue? 

 

She changed into a pink silk minidress with a cinched boned waist and sweetheart neck. She fluffed her hair and took another photo, tilting her head to the side and biting her lip. Maya almost laughed at herself as she sent the next one. 

 

M: Pink? 

 

Finally, she changed into a yellow halter dress that flared out around her waist. 

 

M: I don’t know. She said sending the yellow. None of them screamed graduation to her. Her phone finally lit up with a reply from Paul. 

 

Paul: What’s under the dress though? 

 

Maya laughed as she undressed and took a photo, arm pushed against her chest to accentuate her cleavage, and took a full body picture of herself in just her light pink underwear, sticking her tongue out like a grumpy kid. 

 

M: You want me to wear this to graduation?! 

P: That’s your graduation night outfit. 

M: I’m not finding anything I like here so I honestly might just go like this for graduation. 

 

“My?” Becks called from the other side. “What about this?” She opened the curtain and casually glanced at Maya’s naked body before handing her a dark forest green dress that tied at the chest and had a keyhole diamond peek at the front where you could probably see the bottom curve of her breasts in. 

 

“Ohh!” Maya said, taking it from her. Becks looked at the phone in Maya’s hand. 

 

“Are you taking nudes?” she said, bemused. Maya instantly turned bright red and stowed her phone behind her back. 

 

“What?” Maya replied, pretending to act confused. 

 

“Oh my god, you totally are. KEYE!” Becks shouted as Maya started to push her through the cloth curtain, “She’s taking nudes to send to Paul in the dressing room!” 

 

“Jesus Maya! You’re going from zero to a hundred. Slow the fuck down or this dude is going to propose to you in a month!” Keye called out from the stall next to her. Maya quickly put on the green dress that fell midthigh and hugged her chest in the right way, officially deciding it was the one. She was too embarrassed now to take a picture to send Paul and just told herself it would be a surprise. 

 

After they paid, the trio walked arm and arm across the street to a little restaurant bar. Becks texted Jeremy who said he’d be by in a bit. The girls settled easily into a hightop table next to the window that faced the street. Once Jeremy joined them, it wasn’t long before they had drinks in their hands and were laughing together. Jeremy slung his arm around Becks and Maya glowed. 

 

As they carried on talking, Maya was startled by a sharp knocking on the window next to her. All four of them looked over at the sound and saw a group of men in their early twenties, clearly drunk. The man who knocked on the window looked Maya up and down before saying, “Nice, baby!” He then proceeded to make an exaggerated kissy face at her that ended in him sticking his tongue out and gesturing between his two fingers. Maya grimaced and let out a disgusted sigh as the men laughed and headed on their way. 

 

“Gross,” Becks said, a deep frown on her face. 

 

“Paul might be way too overprotective, but that’s why he doesn’t want you going anywhere alone.” Jeremy said, sipping his beer and shaking his head. Under his breath he muttered, “Ah, he’s gonna have a conniption fit when he sees this.” Becks leaned into him and whispered something in his ear. Maya perked up and narrowed her eyes at them. 

 

“What do you mean?” Maya started. 

 

“Nothing,” Becks diverted. “So are you and Paul going to Seattle soon?” After the topic was changed, Maya let herself relax into the conversation, the drink helping to ease her building nervousness at the impending graduation happening in just two days. 

 

After they ate, Jeremy suggested they head back, not wanting to keep Maya out too late since Paul was still a little nervous from the incident. Maya agreed, feeling a little looser after the two cocktails she’d had. Jeremy drove them back and automatically dropped Maya off at Paul’s without her asking him to. She was about to tease him about that fact, but the time on the clock read 10:32 p.m. urging Maya to hurry inside. The door was unlocked for her and she quickly discarded her shoes, dropping her shopping by the door and she made her way quietly into the low lit kitchen for some water. As she made her way up the stairs, water glass in hand, she discarded her clothes over the railing until she was just in her underwear. Maya smiled at her boldness, well bold to her anyway, as she opened the door to his bedroom with her foot. 

 

Paul was in bed, sitting up against the headboard, with his laptop open. He’d heard her since she came in, but now he looked up at her nearly naked frame in the doorway and let a pleased smile plaster his face. Maya grinned wickedly and took a sip of her water, missing her mouth a little in her slightly tipsy state. The water dripped down across her chest and she let out a little laugh. 

 

“I was going to tell you that when I said not too late, I meant you should be home well before 10:30, but this kind of makes up for it,” He let his eyes rake down her body appreciatively and Maya shivered at the feeling it gave her. 

 

Maya leaned her body against the doorframe and gave him a soft smile. 

 

“Well, come here,” he motioned her forward with a nod of his head and Maya skipped quickly over to him, placing her water on the nightstand. He closed his laptop and set it aside as Maya straddled him, leaning forward to plant a kiss to his lips. “Did you have fun?” he asked, lazily running a hand down her back. Maya nodded. 

 

“Yeah, it was really good. I found a dress too! I think you’re going to love it,” she shook her hair at her face, and he ran his other hand across her face, pushing some hair behind her ear in the process. 

 

“Mmm, I can’t wait to see it, but I like this look a little more,” he lowered his lips down to her shoulder and kissed up onto her neck. Maya automatically pushed her hips forward in response and Paul placed his hands firmly on her waist to feel her body move under his hands. Maya tilted her head to one side, letting out a soft sigh at the feeling of his mouth on her neck. Kissing along her collarbone, Paul let go of Maya with one of his hands to open the nightstand drawer and pull out a condom. He quickly opened it with his teeth and handed it to Maya. She pulled him out of the top of his briefs and easily rolled the condom down. Paul pushed her panties to one side and Maya, following his lead, leaned up onto her knees so she could lower herself down onto him. 

 

Maya wondered if she would always thrill in surprise at the feeling it gave her when he pushed inside of her. It was more than just the immense physical sensation of him, it was also the maddening bond that held them tightly together whenever they connected like this. She could feel the weight of the imprint constrict around her with every thrust and every fevered kiss. The taste of his mouth became something sweet that she craved. Her hands pressed to his chest, his neck, threaded through his hair, or gripped onto his muscled biceps buzzed warmth down her arms and through her body, intensifying the feeling between her legs that he sought to satiate. 

 

Maya leaned back, setting her hands behind her on his thighs so she could grind quickly into him with her body on full display. Paul looked at her as if he couldn’t believe what was happening. He licked the tip of his tongue and pressed it to the top of her ridge and stroked quickly, pulling hard and fast moans from Maya. She threw her head back and moaned out his name loudly, thankful for the fact that Paul’s closest neighbor was over a mile away. 



Maya was woken up the next morning to an empty bed space next to her, but felt soft kisses along her shoulder blade as a hand stroked through her hair. She turned her head and was met with Paul’s face. 

 

“Good morning,” he said. 

 

“Mmm, come back to bed.” she groaned. He smiled that heart wrenching smile and shook his head. 

 

“I need you to get up and get dressed. Emily and Sam are throwing you, Jeremy, and your friends a celebration lunch for graduating. Plus they want to welcome the new imprint,” he pressed his warm lips to her cheek and Maya screwed up her face in confusion. 

 

“They’ve already met me though.” 

 

“Not you. Seth finally imprinted,” Paul said. “Come on, we’re leaving in 30 minutes.” He smacked her butt and left the room and Maya yawned. 

 

“Seth Clearwater imprinted? Brutal,” Maya mumbled as she laid her head back on her pillow for a second. 

 

“I heard that,” Paul called from downstairs, startling Maya. She was starting to realize that whatever heightened senses he had as a wolf, he probably had normally. She giggled and rolled out of bed to get ready, excited for them to step back out as a couple again to the pack. 

Chapter 22: The pack doesn't keep secrets

Chapter Text

You know that feeling you get when you know someone is looking at you? The hair on the back of your neck might stand up if it’s bad, or it echoes like someone calling your name in the back of your head if it’s good. I’ve experienced both. Oddly enough, both feelings were with the same person. I always find both feelings to be exciting. Maybe that’s me being too optimistic, but whether the feeling is good or bad, I always want to turn and meet whoever or whatever is looking at me. So I can face them without surprise and have a fighting chance.




Maya and Paul walked hand in hand through the clearing in front of Emily and Paul’s house. Maya could already hear the raucous laughter and talking within that filled her with excitement. Almost as much as Paul’s house, she felt immediately at home here. When she pulled open the screen door, Paul’s hand on her lower back, she was greeted with a chorus of hoots and hellos. 

 

“Finally! God can we eat now that the drama queens are here?!” Brady Fuller bemoaned. 

 

“Drama queens?!” Maya said aghast. 

 

“Yeah, you! Will they? Won’t they? Oh no! He’s a wolf! Wait, nevermind, it’s fine!” Brady mocked in an exaggerated voice that made Maya laugh. “I’m kidddddding,” he followed up pulling Maya into a hug that she returned with a warm smile. 

 

Paul let Maya pull out of his grasp as she bounded over to Keye and Becks who were helping Collin, Jared, and Emily gather things in the kitchen to take out to the backyard that was surrounded by dripping green foliage. Paul had already been pulled into conversation with Sam, his eyes darting to Maya every once and awhile as if she was going to disappear or something. 

 

“Thank god you’re here, these hot-bodied buttheads won’t shut up about food,” Keye said, grabbing and balancing three plates of food. 

 

“Sorry, sorry. Woke up late.” Maya said, giving Emily a gentle smile. 

 

After they had successfully laid out the spread on the long wooden patio table that seemed too grand for a bungalow down by the beach, they all tucked in around it. 

 

“Where’s the new girl?” Becks whispered as she slid in next to Jeremy who was already playing a hand-slapping game with Embry Call. Maya glanced around and couldn’t find Seth. She looked across the table at Keye who shrugged. 

 

“I don’t think she’s here yet. Seth isn’t here either,” Maya noticed. Paul sank down next to Maya and kissed her cheek absently. “Where’s the new imprint?” she asked him quietly. He did the same thing Maya did and looked around then replied.

 

“Not sure. Seth said he’d be here.” He took a sip from his water glass and then leaned into Maya, his lips close to her ear as he said, “You look very nice by the way.” He gave her a wolfish grin and she pulled back and gave him a laugh. She wasn’t exactly dressed up, but this was Paul after all. Maya had put on whatever she had left over at Paul’s accidentally which consisted of her light jean shorts that she rolled up a little and a grey heather racerback halter that was cropped at her midriff. She snagged one of Paul’s blue and white long-sleeved button up plaid shirts and wrapped it around her waist in case the weather changed. Her long silk black hair was down her back in messy waves. She placed a hand on his cheek and leaned in to gently kiss him which he returned happily. 

 

“Blegh, imprints,” Embry said from a few seats down. 

 

“Speaking of,” Quil replied. Maya and Paul pulled apart and looked over their shoulders at the couple entering the backyard. A chorus of hi’s and hello’s rang out from the group and Seth, beaming, was holding the hand of a bright eyed blonde who looked who smiled at everyone, her eyes filled with nervous energy. 

 

“She’s…” Becks started confused. 

 

“White,” Keye finished. Maya spun around and looked at Keye with wide eyes. 

 

“Jesus, Keye, chill,” she said as Paul laughed. 

 

“Sorry!” Keye said, “I just thought imprinting was like a….tribe-only thing.” She had a point. 

 

Seth brought the woman over to the table and they sat down toward the front of the table. Maya peered around Paul to get a better look at her. She was beautiful—with long blonde hair, pouty pink lips that stretched over a bright white smile. Her face was dotted delicately with peachy freckles and she filled out her sundress white and blue sundress with an hourglass figure. Maya found herself weirdly fascinated with the new imprint, mostly because Maya was the first new imprint in years according to Emily. And now, there were two new imprints months apart. 

 

Sam cleared his throat at the head of the table and everyone quieted down to look toward him. He stood up, true patriarch of his wild wolf family, and raised his glass. 

 

“We’re here to welcome a new member to our family today—Sadie Corbella. Welcome Sadie!” He raised his glass and everyone said the name ‘Sadie’ in joyful unison. She blushed and leaned into Seth a little who was grinning from ear to ear. “And, we’re here to celebrate Jeremy, Maya, Becks, and Keye graduating from the tribal school tomorrow. Congratulations and we’re all here for you in whatever you do next!” 

 

Some pounded on the table as a form of applause while others hooted and whistled in celebration. Paul leaned in and kissed Maya’s cheek. She glowed in the warm May sun and felt at home here. 

 

“Dig in!” Emily shouted and suddenly there was a mad scramble for the piles of food on the table. 

 

“This is like the wildest live action game of Hungry Hungry Hippos I’ve ever seen,” Keye said, trying to snag a hot dog from a plate. Maya laughed and scooped some potato salad for herself as Paul dropped a hamburger on her plate. 

 

“Work with a buddy to get your share of the food,” Becks said from across the table. Jeremy and Becks were mirroring Paul and Maya’s efforts to fill each other’s plates. 

 

“Maya, have you decided where you’re officially going this fall?” Kim asked from across the table amongst the other conversations happening around her. Maya automatically looked at Paul but he seemed at ease. 

 

“Uhh, not yet. My pros and cons lists are getting a little too long for my liking at this point. But, yeah I need to decide that soon,” Maya responded. 

 

“It’s probably going to be Columbia though right?” Becks said. 

 

“Why do you say that?” Jared asked, interested now. 

 

“Because of the great science program,” Becks replied. 

 

“Oh! What are you planning to study?” Kim leaned it now. Maya smiled, happy to be questioned about something she was so excited about. 

 

“Well, I was on the fence, but I really think I’m leaning either into the Engineering program or the Biological Sciences Program.” 

 

“Wow!” Kim breathed, “What are you hoping to do in the future? Sorry, I know that’s a huge question.” 

 

“That’s kind of up in the air too. Engineering opens up a lot of possibilities, but there’s some great jobs I could do with a biology focus. There’s some really cool environmental engineering happening around the world right now, so maybe that?” Kim nodded and Maya felt Paul’s hand on her thigh now. She looked over at him and he gave her a reassuring smile. 

 

After lunch, Maya beelined it with Keye and Becks in tow to meet Sadie officially. She had already been bombarded by one side of the table and now it was their turn. Maya was mostly curious about how it happened and how they seemingly fell into step so quickly with one another. Seth had excused himself to talk to Quil and Embry and Maya walked up to Sadie with a great big smile. 

 

“Hey! I’m Maya,” she held out her hand and Sadie took it happily. “This is Becks and Keye.” They also smiled and waved. 

 

“Oh, you guys are graduating! Congrats!” she said. Maya nodded. “So are all of you...imprints too?” she said the word uncertain, still trying to get the hang of this new life that had probably just been thrust upon her. 

 

“Ah, no, just me.” Maya said. “Paul Lahote imprinted on me back in January.” She pointed Paul out to her who was standing and talking seriously with Sam and Jared about something. He glanced at her and waved to the group of women. “And Becks is dating Jeremy. And Keye is hooking up with Collin.” 

 

“Off and on,” Keye dismissed. Sadie laughed and nodded. “So how did you and Seth meet?” Keye interjected.  

 

“Oh, umm, we both go to the community college about an hour outside of the reservation. We met on campus randomly and...I guess the rest just kind of decided itself,” she breathed, clearly happy and at ease with the turn of events. Maya was not confused per se, but she was a little curious. That’s it? Whoosh and it was all rainbows? Maybe she and Paul had been fighting the imprint. Maya could feel herself prickling with what she thought might be jealousy at the thought of Sadie and Seth so easily falling into step. 

 

The four women made their way to some adirondack chairs that circled around an unlit fire pit. They had been handed drinks after they sat down by Brady who was making the rounds and offering way too many winks. Despite the pang of jealousy that Maya felt at Sadie’s lack of hesitance easing into the imprint, she was really starting to like her. When Seth finally descended to take her back, she and Maya exchanged numbers. 

 

Maya spotted Kim just inside the house in the kitchen and she made her way to her. She was cleaning up some dishes and Maya squeezed in to help. 

 

“Hey! I needed to ask you something,” Maya said in a quiet voice. Kim looked at her sideways and gave her a wary smile. 

 

“Okay, shoot.” 

 

“Um, I was wondering if I could make an appointment with you at the hospital?” Maya said slowly looking around in hopes that they wouldn’t be overheard. Kim’s eyes went wide suddenly. 

 

“Oh my god are you pregnant?!” she said a little too loud. Maya put her finger to her lips and frantically shushed her. Outside there was a chorus of laughter and Maya groaned. 

 

“No!” she returned, full volume now. They were probably going to hear her anyway. She spoke at normal volume now, “I was going to see you about getting on birth control.” 

 

“Oh! Yeah of course! When do you want to come in.” Kim giggled a little. 

 

“Uhhh, the day after tomorrow?” Maya said hopeful. Kim nodded. 

 

“I’ll text you what time to come in.” Maya breathed a sigh of relief and as they finished the dishes, the sounds of goading grew louder outside. “They really shouldn’t tease Paul like that.” As they walked toward the doorway, the sounds of laughter boomed across the backyard. Maya was already pink in the face when she descended the back porch steps, her eyes connecting with Paul’s as he gave her a reassuring look. And then..

 

“Oooooooh,” a taunting sound came from Embry, Quil, and Jared. The kind you hear coming from a little kid when another kid is in trouble with a teacher. Paul’s eyes shot to them quickly, his face stone, a calm facade with a storm brewing underneath. Maya hesitated. 

 

“Someone call the police, we got an old creep staring at high school girls,” Quil teased. 

 

“I bet he’s into weird bondage too,” Jared said and laughed. Maya went bright red now. She knew they were teasing him but this was next level. 

 

“Guys, stop. He’s clearly got some sort of reverse Oedipal complex,” Embry said. Paul was nearly foaming at the mouth. 

 

“I said knock it off.” He said through gritted teeth. 

 

“Oooooh,” the three replied. Sam stood off to the side, his arms crossed, seemingly unphased, his eyes watching the situation. Seth looked over curiously from across the lawn, Sadie on his arm. Jeremy and Becks had their eyes glued to the situation, enthralled. And Keye and Collin were...missing. Hmm. 

 

“I’ve still got my basketball uniform from high school. If I put that on, do I need to be worried about you giving me the business?” Quil taunted. 

 

“Is the joke that he’s some sort of creep for imprinting on Maya because she’s in high school?” Becks asked Jeremy. He shook his head. 

 

“It’s all they’ve got,” he dismissed, slightly amused. “They’re just trying to get a rise out of him.”

 

Paul was pushing on Quil’s chest now. Maya was startled just by their immense bodies connecting so roughly. Kim had pulled Jared off to the side and was shaking her head at him, annoyed. 

 

“How many feet away from a high school do you have to be before you get a stiffy?” Quil jibbed. Paul lunged and both Quil and Embry took off running toward the woods, laughing. Paul followed, clearly angry and shaking visibly as Maya stood with her mouth open. 

 

“What the fuck,” she breathed. 

 

“Don’t mind them, they just like to poke fun at each other over imprints. Plus, Paul’s been a little too calm and collected lately on rounds so they were probably just trying to pick a fight with him.” Emily said, suddenly next to her with a hand on her arm. Maya looked at her, still in mild shock as the sound of snaps and snarls could be heard off in the forest. 

 

The men eventually returned a half an hour later, without shirts and looking a little scuffed up. They were all smiles now, panting and pushing each other playfully coupled in light laughter. Maya was confused—ten minutes ago Paul looked like he was about to kill them and now, he was grabbing Embry around the neck with his arm to pull him into a headlock and give him a noogie. 

 

Paul broke away from them and came over to Maya who was sipping iced tea and leaning against a post on the porch. He jogged up to her and immediately circled her waist in his arms. Before she had a second to respond, his lips were on hers. He tasted like the forest and Maya, wrapped one around his neck, pushing her lips back onto his before pulling away and saying. 

 

“What the hell was that?” 

 

Paul smirked and tilted his head to the side nodding toward the pack, “They’re just wannabe bullies.” 

 

“Who make fun of you for dating me?” She said, still confused but leaning into the joke. 

 

“No, who make fun of me for being in love with you,” he said, his voice an added heat to the summer sun. He leaned down to kiss her lips softly again and then said, “Come on.” He steered her into the house now, his hands guiding her by her hips. 

 

“Where are we going?” she laughed, setting her iced tea down on the table. Maya was starting to feel that feverish need pulse from him, the one that always needed to claim her. He didn’t respond, but gently pushed her along down the hallway and when they came to the end of the hallway, Paul reached out to open the closed door. He shuffled her inside and closed the door behind them. 

 

“Paul, what—?” Maya said. They were in the spare bathroom she realized and in one movement, Paul had lifted her up onto the counter and brought his lips needy to hers, his hands cupping her face. His mouth was hot, wanting, crushing. Maya rested her hands gently on the sides of his abdomen. His hands drifted down to her hips now, his fingers making quick work of the button on her shorts. “Paul, what are you doing?” Maya said between heated breaths, surprise coloring her voice. 

 

“What does it look like I’m doing?” He slid her shorts and underwear down and pushed her legs open, his fingers pulling at her needy and quick. This wasn’t like their most recent times in his bedroom, this was fevered, rushed, needed, demanded. Maya closed her eyes at his touch, her mouth falling open in a soft moan. His other hand unfastened his jeans and he pulled himself out, lowering his mouth to her neck now. 

 

“Do you have a condom?” she breathed as he pulled his hand away and started rubbing against her with his tip. 

 

“I’ll pull out,” he said low, biting into her shoulder and causing her to cry out at the shot of excitement that rippled through her. 

 

“That sounds like a really bad idea,” she said softly, he pulled his face up to hers and as he pushed his way into her anyway he said, 

 

“Trust me.” Maya held onto his shoulders as she felt her entire body awash with warmth. 

 

This was definitely not like the other times. Paul’s eyes were fiercely playful. As he pumped into her at a rough pace, she kept her eyes on his, desperate for that look that claimed her. His wide hands gripped her hips possessively, pushing and pulling her to him. When she let out a whimper of pleasure, a low growl sounded in his throat and he lowered his head to kiss her lips—Maya relished in the forest that bloomed in her mouth.  She started to chant his name as she approached her release. Her hand gripped the back of his neck tightly and he moaned low into her ear. Maya could feel him getting close and as she reached her eye, releasing in a shudder, she whispered frantically, “Pull out, pull out!” 

 

“Not yet,” he said through gritted teeth as he increased his speed and Maya couldn’t help but let out loud moans. “Fuck!” he said suddenly and then Maya felt him pull out quickly as he came across her thigh on her hip. He let out a sigh of release before pressing his lips to hers. Her hands were tangled in his hair and when she pulled back between panting breaths she said, 

 

“What was that?” Paul gave her a grin that pulled at her heart as leaned over to get some toilet paper to clean her off. 

 

“Ah, just needed you I guess,” he said nonchalantly and Maya felt winded by his honesty. As they both got dressed, there was a knock on the door that made Maya’s eyes go wide.  

 

“Can you guys hurry up? There are people who actually need to use the bathroom, you know?” It was Brady and Maya clamped a hand over her mouth so as not to laugh. Paul didn’t seem bothered. Once she had her shorts up and fastened, Paul opened the door and with a playful smile, he said “Sorry.” 

 

He grabbed Maya’s hand and pulled her behind him and back down the hallway as she giggled, not even embarrassed as Paul looked back at her with a smile so big she thought she’d faint from happiness.

 


 

“Maya! Let’s go!” her mom called from downstairs. 

 

“Mom! Graduation doesn’t start for another hour. We’re fine!” Maya yelled back. 

 

“I have to be there early, My!” The frustration was building in her voice. Maya could just picture her mom at the bottom of the stairs, her dad standing next to her with his hands in his pockets. 

 

“Then go! I’ll have Paul pick me up,” Maya already had her phone out and had been texting him throughout the morning, her heart fluttering every time a new message from him popped up. 

 

“Maya, no! Come on!” Her mother said firmly. Maya groaned and finished her final girl, brushing her long black hair out as it fanned around her face in gorgeous loose curls. She darted around her room, gathering some things to throw in her small black purse. She slipped on her black red bottom shoes she bought in Santa Monica and threw on the gold bangle bracelets Jeremy gave her on the opposite wrist that Paul's beaded bracelet rested on. She gave herself one last look in the mirror, gathered her cap and gown and hurried down the stairs to her mother’s chiding. 

 

Maya’s graduation was held in the wide gymnasium of her high school. When she arrived, there were a few people there since it was so early. Maya disappeared into the locker rooms to wait for her friends to arrive. 

 

When Becks and Keye showed up, they squealed in excitement. This was it. Keye dug through Maya’s purse for lip gloss and the girls took turns preening the other so that their caps hung perfectly on their carefully done hair. 

 

“That dress is honestly amazing,” Becks said, looking at the tightly fitted green dress that hugged Maya’s body. The keyhole under her chest peeked some very delicate under cleavage that you didn’t notice unless you were staring. Maya adjusted the thin straps across her shoulders, so delicate they looked like they could be snapped easily. As they donned their gowns, the announcements and procession starting in the gymnasium, they stood in a circle and held hands. 

 

“I love you guys,” Maya said in a rush of excitement. 

 

“LINE UP!” the assistant principal yelled through the locker rooms. 

 

“On to the next, right?” Keye said, tears coming to her eyes. 

 

“Ew, are you crying?” Becks joked as she sniffled, her face tinged red. Maya let out a laugh and Keye shook her head. 

 

“This is a big moment! Fuck you! I’ve known you two my whole life and now it feels like something is ending. I’m emotional,” Keye said, tears running down her cheeks. 

 

“But your highlight,” Maya said, gently. Keye let out a laugh now and pressed the back of her hand to her cheeks. 

 

“LINE UP. LINE UP. LINE UP. THIS IS IT!” 

 

The girls wiggled into line, Maya in front, reaching behind her to hold Becks’ hand and Keye in the back holding Becks’ other hand. 

 

When Maya was called to the stage, draped in her honors cords and sash a huge raucous booming of whoops and yells filled the auditorium. She looked out into the crowd and saw her mother waving with her whole body, her father clapping, and Paul, surrounded by the entire pack, making so much noise, she thought everyone around them might clamp their hands over their ears. She beamed, her eyes connecting with Paul’s  for a moment before she took her diploma, shook the principal’s hand and made her way off stage. 

 

Four years of hard work for just a crescendo of applause and a rush of excitement and now, it was over. Now, the real work started. 

 

After the ceremony ended, Maya’s family—her whole family—made their way over to her. Her mother crushed her in a hug and her dad kissed her cheek. Maya threw herself into Paul’s arms and he planted a kiss on her cheek before pulling back to hand her the biggest bouquet of flowers she’d ever seen in her life. 

 

“Congratulations, My,” he said, his arm wrapped around her waist. 

 

“Thank you,” she beamed up at him, so filled with warmth and happiness that she thought she might explode. Just as he leaned down to kiss her, she was scooped up into hug after hug from each member of the pack, twirling her around, and hyping her up. 



Once everyone had cleared out of the gymnasium, they made their way to the community center down by the beach for the summer revival party. Paul and Maya walked hand in hand and she was somewhat amused to see the surprised faces of her community as they looked at the pair together. She realized now that this was the first time they had seen Paul and her together as a couple out in public. They’d only been around the pack like this. She gripped his hand tighter and he looked down at her with a questioning look. She just smiled and shook her head. 

 

The summer revival party was like a traditional bonfire gathering on steroids. There was food and drinks and lights and music. The arrangements that Keye, Becks, and Maya had created were proudly displayed on the tables. The big wide doors opened up onto a sandy patio that tapered off onto the beach. 

 

Maya quickly got lost in the atmosphere of celebration, letting herself be pulled around the room to dance, talk, and drink to one another. Paul dipped in and out of her presence, letting her enjoy this last hurrah with her classmates on her own. He took her onto the dance floor more than once for an excuse to pull her close and wound his arms around her possessively to put themselves on display for everyone—the council included. 

 

As the night wore on, Maya noticed that the pack members were slowly disappearing in groups. Her eyes careened around the room for Paul and when she saw him conferring with Jeremy, she waved to get his attention and gave him a questioning look. He patted Jeremy on the shoulder and made his way to Maya, eyes down. When he reached her, he nodded to her friends and pulled Maya away from them quickly. 

 

“How much have you had to drink tonight?” the question wasn’t accusing, just curious. 

 

“Not much, why? Is everything okay?” she could feel the tension in his body. 

 

“Were you planning on coming home tonight?” It always gave Maya a little thrill when vaguely referred to his home as just ‘home’, as if to imply that it was also her home. 

 

“I mean, I was going to, but if you don’t—” she was interrupted by him saying quickly,

 

“No, no I want you too, I just want to make sure you have a ride. If I give you the keys to my forerunner, can you drive it back to the house and I’ll meet you there a little bit later?” His eyes were looking toward the door every now and again and Maya couldn’t help but feel a little uneasy. 

 

“Sure, but what—?” Maya started again, but he kissed her forehead and dug in his pocket handing her the keys quickly. 

 

“I’ll fill you in when I get home. Not too late, okay? And straight home,” he ordered. 

 

“Paul!” Maya called after him as he jogged toward the door to meet Jeremy. What was that? 



Chapter 23: Summer skin

Chapter Text

If you look long and hard enough into the dark, your eyes form shapes to make sense of the unknown. But whatever shapes they construct tend to cause more fear than what may or may not be there. I haven’t had the dream with the wolf in awhile. Maybe because it was Paul’s secret all along that had been searching me out, telling me the truth before he could. Now I dreamt about being alone in a tall dark forest that was unnaturally quiet. I wished the wolf would show up now, but he doesn’t. My eyes never adjust to the darkness, the shapes just grow and twist into more menacing figures that get closer with every breath.






When Maya woke up the next morning, the bed was empty next to her. Contrary to Paul’s request, Maya had come home around 2 a.m., celebrating every last moment at the summer revival with her friends. When she’d finally dragged herself home in Paul’s forerunner, she half expected him to be in bed, waiting up for her to give her a hard time and then take her beneath him. But the house had been empty.

 

She rolled over to check her phone and saw a text from Paul that had come in around 3 in the morning.

 

Paul: I’m out for the night. I’ll try to catch you in the morning. Jared said you’re seeing Kim today. Text me how it goes. Also when I said not too late, I meant before 2 a.m.

Maya smiled, rolling her eyes, and typed a quick message.

 

M: I will. Missed you last night. I’m taking the car to see Kim today. Is that okay?

Maya opened a text from Kim that had come in early that morning.

 

Kim: Hey cutie. Want to come in to see me around 10 this morning?

Maya checked the clock. It was just after 9 a.m. She could swing it. When she replied in the affirmative, a swift text from Kim followed.

 

K: Great! I’ll see you then. Tell them you’re here to see me at the front and I’ll come and grab you.

Maya hauled herself out of bed and quickly showered. After plowing through the top drawer for something suitable. She grimaced, toothbrush in her mouth as she realized she had next to no clothes left over at Paul’s. Would he notice if she started leaving more stuff here considering she was here all the time anyway?

 

She settled for the shorts she wore yesterday and pulled one of Paul’s white t-shirts over her head, tying it tightly at the waist. After brushing out her hair and hurrying down the stairs, already running late, her phone lit up. A reply from Paul.

 

P: Yeah, take the car. I’ll be home later this afternoon instead.

Weird. Where was he that he was out all night and all day? She thought about asking him now but decided against it. She wouldn’t get an answer outright via text with him. Maya made the 20 minute drive to Forks hospital and gave the nurse at the front desk her name. Kim popped down a few minutes later and looped Maya’s arm through hers with a bright smile.

 

When they were tucked into an examination room, Maya felt the uncertainty rising in her.

 

“Okay,” Kim said, taking a chart out and already jotting down some notes.

 

“This is a dumb question,” Maya interjected. Kim looked up at her surprised. “My mom isn’t going to find out I’m here is she?” Maya knew she was silly to be worried about this. Her mom had been absolutely fine with her shacking up at Paul’s most nights and she probably assumed that they were having sex, but something in Maya still felt like it needed to be a secret.

 

“Of course not,” Kim said firmly, “Your 18 and these medical records are yours. Totally private. Promise.”

 

“Okay, cool,” Maya breathed, loosening her grip on the side of the examination table.

 

“Alright, so I’m going to ask you some questions that are pretty personal, but they’re important and legally I can’t share this information with anyone. Pack or not.” Kim gave her a reassuring smile. Maya nodded. “Okay, so are you sexually active?”

 

Maya laughed, “Yes.”

 

“Thought so. And what form of protection are you currently using?”

 

“Just condoms.”

 

“Multiple partners?”

 

“What?” Maya said, shocked.

 

“Have you had any other partners?” Kim asked again professionally.

 

“No. Just..Just Paul. He’s my first.” Maya blushed and she wasn’t sure why.

 

“Makes things easy,” Kim confirmed. “Okay, before we talk about birth control options, we need to make sure you’re not pregnant. So,” she handed her a cup, “Take this to the bathroom down the hall to provide a sample. Leave it in the little door in the bathroom. I’ll walk you down there.”

 

As Maya completed the awkward task of peeing in a cup, she hoped beyond hope that she wasn’t pregnant. Other than the first time they had sex, she was pretty sure Paul hadn’t come inside of her. After she deposited her sample, Kim walked her back to the examination room.

 

“Okay, we should get some results back pretty quickly. But, in the meantime, what kind of birth control were you thinking?” Kim looked at her expectantly. Maya’s mouth fell open. She felt wholly unprepared for this question. She only knew about the pill, but was there more than one?

 

“Uhh,” Maya stalled. “I don’t…” she faltered and Kim’s gaze softened.

 

“So, there are a few options for you to choose from: the pill, an IUD, shots that you come in for once every three months, or a patch. Speaking imprint to imprint, I’d recommend the shot or the IUD. Emily was on the pill and Sam still got her pregnant with her second less than a year after their first kid. Jared and I had a couple of scares when I was on the pill but once I got an IUD, we didn’t have to worry anymore. Assume that these idiots have super sperm and plan accordingly.” There was a knock at the door and a nurse handed Kim Maya’s results. She glanced at it quickly and smiled, “Not pregnant.”

 

Maya let out a breath she didn’t realize she was holding. “Thank god.”

 

“Tell me about it. Do you know how stoked the council would be if you got pregnant at 18?” Kim laughed. Maya quirked her eyebrow at her.

 

“Wouldn’t they be upset? That would ruin my plans for college.”

 

“Ahh, no. Remember how aggressive they were about you and Paul having a relationship? Yeah, multiply that times ten when it comes to kids. They want every imprint to have lots and lots of kids. Even Sam and Emily who are on their fourth are being encouraged to have more. It’s insane.” Kim looked truly annoyed by this.

 

“Didn’t realize they were such advocates for teenage pregnancy,” Maya matched Kim’s energy, her tone annoyed. Her mind flashed back to Chief Black seemingly threatening her to re-establish her relationship with Paul and she felt a chill rush through her.

 

“Oh yeah, the earlier you start the more kids you’re likely to have. I swear to god, the second Jared and I turned 18, Elder Mila was like all over me about having kids. It doesn’t stop.”

 

“Gross,” Maya looked at Kim now, “I’m sorry they’re on you about it. Your life is important, with or without kids.”

 

Kim smiled, a little sad and nodded, “Jared’s with me on the kid front. We definitely want them, but when I’m ready. And so far, I haven’t been so.. Fuck em.” She laughed and Maya was a little taken aback by her honesty. She wanted to know Kim better—all of the imprints—since they shared a singular defining feature between them: they had all been chosen and deeply loved by a member of the pack.

 

“Anyway,” Kim breathed out, “What are you thinking then?”

 

“Definitely the IUD,” Maya said.

 

“That’s what I was going to recommend. If Paul is anything like Jared, he most definitely will not want to keep wearing condoms because they’re big babies about it.” Kim made a note on her chart and then stood up saying, “Great, I’ll get the attending OB in and she’ll get you squared away!”

 

“Thanks Kim...so much, really. You’re a lifesaver,” Maya said, relieved.

 

“Anytime babe. You should come by Emily’s more often. We usually hang there on the weekends if the guys are out doing rounds. Just swing by, the door’s always open.” Kim gave her a hug and Maya agreed that she would.

 

After thirty traumatic minutes with the OB inserting her IUD and snapping it into place, Maya left the Forks hospital lighter than she came in. When her phone lit up as she climbed into Paul’s car, she was surprised to see the number that popped up: Sadie. She answered right away.

 

“Hey!” Maya couldn’t control the weird excitement in her voice. She could tell Sadie was smiling when she answered.

 

“Hey Maya! Uh, weird question. Do you want to grab some lunch with me today?”

“Absolutely! What time?”

 

“I just got out of class, so want to meet at the diner on Main at about noon?”

“Sure!” She was thrilled.

 

“Great! I’ll see you there.” Sadie sounded equally pleased.

 

After they hung up, Maya made a beeline for her house to change and gather some things to keep at Paul’s before making her way to the diner to meet her. She hugged Sadie, who stood up to greet her when she entered the diner, a textbook laying open on the table next to two iced teas.

 

“Thanks so much for meeting me on such short notice. I felt like I barely got to talk to you the other day,” Sadie said, a smile stretched across her heart shaped face.

 

“Of course! I’m honestly so glad you called.” They sat down across from one another in the cozy diner booth and a waitress was over to take their orders shortly.

 

The two immediately descended into easy conversation about school, family, plans, life, the whole gambit. After thirty minutes, Maya felt like she had known Sadie all of her life and she held nothing back.

 

“Paul’s been out all day and all night on rounds. It’s kind of odd,” Maya said between bites of her chicken santa fe salad.

 

“Mmm, I mean they do them all the time. I feel like I’ve barely spent a full night with Seth in over a month,” Sadie replied.

 

“Wait… how long have you and Seth been together?!” Maya said surprised.

 

“Let’s see. He technically imprinted back in February, I think? And we officially got together in early March.” she confirmed. Maya’s mouth dropped open and Sadie looked taken aback, “What?”

 

“Paul literally just told me the DAY I met you that Seth imprinted.” She couldn’t believe it.

 

“What!? I knew about you like right after Seth and I got together. Do you not see Paul a lot or something?” Sadie asked. Maya prickled a little.

 

“We see each other almost everyday…” True. Things had been a little rocky for them at the start, but Maya was starting to suspect that maybe Paul didn’t share a lot of info with her about the pack as maybe other members did with their imprints. Was that intentional? She wondered.

 

“It’s probably nothing. Seth said Paul tries to be pretty private about you two, so maybe he just focuses on you and not weird pack politics when he’s with you,” Sadie shrugged, “I did think it was a little weird though that a Beta’s imprint wasn’t like...second in command to Emily or something.” Sadie let out a laugh and when she saw the crestfallen look on Maya’s face she immediately corrected and apologized, “Oh my god, Maya. No. I’m sorry that came out wrong.”

 

“What do you mean...beta?” Maya said. She had remembered Becks saying something like that when Keye had first told her about Paul being a shifter.

 

“He really hasn’t told you anything?” Sadie asked in a small voice. Maya stared at her and shook her head slowly. “Weird. Okay, well from my very limited outside understanding, Sam is the alpha of the pack. And Paul is his second in command—the beta. But since Sam started having more kids, his attention has been more divided and Paul has kind of taken the reins on a lot of pack stuff. As far as I know, he organizes protection rounds, is Sam’s stand in a lot of the time, and can give alpha orders if absolutely necessary. Alpha orders seem like a really really big deal according to how Seth describes them—they like physically cannot ignore them they’re so strict. But I don’t think they really use them much anymore.”

 

“So...he’s like in charge?” Maya said. Sadie shrugged.

 

“Most of the time. Sam is still a very active member of the pack, but for the most part, it sounds like Paul handles rounds. Runs a pretty tight ship. He seems like a dude who likes to be in control,” Sadie looked up at Maya seriously.

 

“Yeah, you can say that again.” Maya thought she had faced the brunt of Paul’s controlling behavior, but maybe it didn’t even come close. “Does Seth like to keep tabs on you all the time?”

 

“What do you mean?” Sadie genuinely asked.

 

“Like, does he need to know where you are all the time and get agitated if he doesn’t?”

 

“Mmm, not really. I mean, Seth kind of knows where I am anyway. They can sense their imprints if they’re pretty nearby and we have the most recognizable scent to them. But no...he doesn’t ask where I am all the time. Is Paul pretty protective?”

 

“Yeah, like desperately so. To be fair, I have taken off a couple of times and had some close calls, but he does hold on pretty tightly.”

 

“Do you mind it though?” Maya thought about Sadie’s question for a moment and then with a breath of release she said,

 

“I don’t think I do. I kind of love that about him. But that might just be the imprint telling me to like it.” She laughed and fell silent for a second.

 

“Or, you just love him.” Sadie said simply. Maya’s eyes shot to meet hers.

 

“What?!” Genuine shock colored her voice.

 

“You’re...you’re in love with him aren’t you?” Sadie said unsure now. Maya paused, opening and closing her mouth.

 

“I….I don’t know,” she finally said. Sadie looked at her a little sad and grabbed her hand across the table. “I probably should,” Maya choked out, taking a sip of tea to quench her suddenly dry throat. Did all imprints instantly love their imprinters? Was there something wrong with Maya? She cared for Paul so much, wanted him around her all of the time, and was excited to be with him, but everything still felt so new. “Are you in love with Seth?”

 

“Absolutely.” Sadie said without missing a beat. And she meant it too.

 

“Oh,” Maya said in a small voice.

 

“Everyone moves at their own pace,” Sadie said matter-of-factly.

 

“Right,” Maya replied after another gulp, “Let’s talk about something else.”

 

“Wolf-related or not?” Sadie smiled and Maya forged ahead:

 

“What is something I probably don’t know about the pack, seeing as Paul literally tells me nothing?”

 

“Hmmm, well, they can hear each other’s thoughts when they’re in wolf form. See each other's memories, all that.”

 

“WHAT?!” Maya said a little too loudly. Sadie nodded her head and continued,

 

“ Yeah, I’m honestly surprised Paul has so much self control over his thoughts about your guys’ relationship. Seth said he keeps a pretty tight lid on stuff. Every member of the pack has definitely seen me naked in Seth’s mind at this point,” she let out a laugh and shook her head, “Oh well, comes with the territory.”

 

“You mean...they can see..”

 

“Yeah. Everything. And knowing those freaks, they don’t really hide a lot of the details. Maybe that’s where Paul’s protective streak comes in handy though. Mr. Control won’t let anyone see his imprint naked as if his life depends on it,” Sadie giggled and Maya went a little red before joining in.

 

“I had no idea…”

 

“You should ask him about this stuff. Honestly, it’s super weird he hasn’t filled you in before this. But maybe he just didn’t want to overwhelm you?” Sadie suggested.

 

“Maybe..” Maya was determined to ask him now. He had said previously that he just wanted their relationship to be just the two of them before the wolf stuff got introduced. But now that she was a part of the fold, she just thought he’d tell her everything she needed to know. Apparently not.

 

After another hour of chatting, Maya hugged Sadie goodbye and they promised to get together again this weekend at Emily’s. She checked her phone and like clockwork, there was Paul.

 

Paul: Did you have fun with Sadie?

She shouldn’t be surprised that he knew given the information that Sadie had spilled but still, she let out a laugh of astonishment.

 

M: Stalker much? Yes, I did. It was very enlightening.

P: You don’t say. I’m headed home soon. Meet me there.

M: Okay, on my way.

He never asked, he just told her to do things, but Maya found it easy to oblige. She felt that familiar pang in her stomach at the distance from him and desperately wanted to see him soon.

 

When she pulled up to the house and grabbed her duffel bag out of the back seat, she felt the pain ebb in her stomach. Maybe that was what Sadie had been referring to when she said imprints could sense each other.

 

Maya unlocked and pushed the door open, slipping out of her shoes and leaving her stuffed duffel bag by the stairs.

 

“Paul?” she called out. Silence. Must not be back yet. She walked over to the kitchen and opened the fridge to pour herself a glass of water and popped herself up to sit on the counter, swinging her legs like a little kid. A few minutes later, she heard the front door open and her body filled with relief. The old saying was true: you never really know what you’ve got until it’s gone...even temporarily. Paul rounded the corner to the kitchen and seeing Maya perched on the counter, a smile washed over his face and he let out a noise of satisfaction, striding over to her instantly. He set a stack of mail he had gathered in the space beside her and immediately dug his hands under her shirt, holding firmly to her waist to satiate his need for skin contact. His lips were on hers in a hungry kiss and Maya crashed against him, letting her body push against his bare chest as her arms wrapped around his neck.

 

After a few breathless moments where they reconnected to one another, Paul’s hands pressing and squeezing around her waist and lower back, Maya leaned back to look at him.

 

“Where have you been?” she pouted only a little bit, but it pulled a light laugh from Paul.

 

“Pack stuff, no big deal,” he dismissed. Maya irked a little at this. “Come take a shower with me.”

 

“I already took a shower today,” she protested as he slid her off the counter, his hands grabbing her ass. He lowered his head to kiss her forehead and around her face.

 

“Fine, a bath then,” he nodded toward the bathroom off the kitchen that held an oversized tub that Maya always wanted to try.

 

“Mmm, I’m good,” Maya pushed back, pressing her hands to his chest and setting space between them. Paul raised an eyebrow at her. “Take a shower and then come tell me about your night,” she offered instead, pulling out of his arms and walking toward the staircase.

 

“Did I do something?” Paul asked as Maya leaned over to grab her duffel bag.

 

“No! Not at all.” Maya was only being a little defiant, but she could tell that the itch to control things was pulling at Paul.

 

“What’s in the bag?” he asked as he walked up and grabbed it off her shoulder, pulling her up the stairs with him. Maya let him.

 

“Some clothes, I was running out of things to wear here that wasn't just sleep stuff, and I was hoping I could keep some things here...just as backup.” Maya said tentatively. She wasn’t sure why she felt shy all of the sudden. Paul set the duffel bag on the bed and turned toward her putting her face in his broad hands.

 

“I’d prefer you keep all of your stuff here if I’m being honest.” Maya let a little gasp escape her and he leaned down to kiss her gently. “Clear out whatever space you need and let me know if I should build an extra dresser. I’ll be back in a minute,” he said shortly before turning to the bathroom. Maya stood frozen in place with whiplash. Paul had this uncanny ability to be overwhelmingly sweet that made her lose her breath and then pulling away just when she wanted more. She thought about joining him in the shower for a moment just to please him and see that aching smile on his face, but instead she unzipped her duffel bag and started unpacking some things in his closet and shuffling things in his drawers to fit her stuff in.

 

She had only unpacked half her bag when she stopped, hands on her hips. She was definitely going to need her own dresser. Maya heard the shower turn off and Paul emerged, gorgeous and hair dripping with a soft towel around his waist. She looked over her shoulder at him and said softly, “I think I am going to need you to build me a dresser.” He came up behind her and kissed along her shoulder.

 

“Whatever you want,” he said in her ear. It made her shiver. “Why are you still dressed?” He asked seriously, his hands pulling at her shirt. Maya smiled and turned in his grasp as he pulled her shirt up over her head. He unsnapped her bra quickly and filled his wide hands with each breast. Maya reveled at how neatly they fit in his grasp and has he ran his thumbs over each of her nipples, he lowered his head to bite gently at her lower lip before pressing his lips to her neck. Maya unfastened her shorts and shimmied out of them, followed quickly by her underwear. Paul had backed her up so that she was pressed against the wall. Her hands pulled at the towel at his waist and she took him in her hand.

 

“Let me grab a condom,” he breathed in her ear. Maya wrapped her arm around his neck and shook her head, pulling him close.

 

“You don’t have to,” she was rubbing him against her now and his hands had slipped to tightly grab her ass. A small smile played at his lips as he looked down at her.

 

“Oh?” he said, she nodded enthusiastically and he lifted her up, pressing her to the wall and entering her fast. She let out a startled cry and let him fall into a fast and easy rhythm between her legs, letting out little moans and cries that egged him on. That hard and desperate look was back in his face now and as he spun her off the wall and dropped her on the bed to finish her there, Maya kept her eyes locked on him. Paul pounded into her fast, lowering his mouth to hers and nibbling at her neck. When he reached is end, he pulled back to look at her and said in a loud breathy voice, “Fuck, Maya!” before thrusting into her deeply and finishing inside of her.

 

The feeling of it, much like the first time they had sex, was unlike any other time. Maya shuddered in overwhelming release and felt her body exhale. She had never felt more complete than in this moment and when Paul slowly eased out of her, she let out a sigh so sweet that he cupped a hand to the side of her face and pressed his forehead to hers saying, “I love you so goddamn much, My.”

 

Maya let out an elated giggle and tilted her head forward to kiss him softly before he rolled off of her, his arm draped across her stomach.

 

“You must be exhausted,” she said, turning toward him and placing a hand softly on his face. His eyes were closed and he was catching his breath.

 

“Yeah,” he breathed, “Do you need anything? I was going to take a nap for a few hours before I head out.”

 

Maya’s eyes pulled over his closed face. “You’re leaving again?” she said softly. He opened his eyes now and pulled her a little closer.

 

“Yeah, I have to run rounds again,” he said nonchalantly.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me you were Beta?” Maya said suddenly. She hadn’t meant to ask this question. She knew he needed to sleep, but something in her pulled it out of her. Paul turned his head to kiss the palm of her hand.

 

“Didn’t seem important.” he grabbed her wrist now and pulled it off his face to rest on his shoulder.

 

“Well, how was I supposed to know that I was the imprint of the second in command if you didn’t tell me? What if I had like...duties or something?” Maya was grasping at straws here. Paul gave her an amused look that said she was being silly.

 

“Do...do you have duties I’m unaware of?” Paul said, the teasing clear in his voice. Maya pouted again.

 

“I mean...no, but I would have liked to be in the loop a bit more. Sadie’s been an imprint for less time than me, but she seems to know way more. I had no idea you ran the show when Sam was away or about the wolf telepathy thing—”

 

“Ah fuck, she told you about that?!” Paul seemed genuinely irritated. He stood up now and dug through his drawers for a pair of briefs. Maya sat up, acutely aware of him dripping from between her thighs now. She quickly made her way to the bathroom and cleaned herself up before re-emerging and donning some sleep shorts and fitted tank top that didn’t leave much to the imagination.

 

“Was she not supposed to tell me or something? Thanks for not showing my boobs to everybody.” Maya picked up their conversation. Paul snuck past her to brush his teeth and then sunk back into bed, pulling her with him.

 

“The general rule is that the imprinter gets to tell their imprint stuff when they’re ready. I didn’t share all this shit with you right away because...we were still getting to know each other and I wanted to keep things as simple as possible. For as long as possible.” He had her tucked into his side and Maya could tell sleep was going to over take him soon.

 

“Fair. But I would really like it if you started to share more stuff with me….Paul?” she said softly. But he was gone. Maya settled in on his chest and let herself drift off for a little bit.

 

Maya woke up an hour later in the cool room. Clouds had rolled in and a storm was rumbling just offshore. Paul was fast asleep and Maya gently unwound herself from his grasp. She tossed the blanket at the bottom of his bed over him and padded softly downstairs.

 

After a few hours, Paul stumbled down the stairs rubbing his eyes. He’d thrown on a shirt and some pants and when he came into the kitchen, Maya was finishing up the stir fry she had made him for dinner.

 

“Hey,” she said with a smile as he walked in and immediately came up behind her to wrap his arms around her waist and kiss her shoulder.

 

“Smells good,” he said as he yawned. Maya reached her hand up behind her to touch the stubble on his jaw as he ran his fingers tips lightly across her stomach.

 

“Good, should be done here in just a minute.”

 

“Thank you,” he said softly, kissing on her neck a minute and pulling a soft sound of satisfaction from Maya’s throat before letting go of her to sort through the mail on the counter. Maya scooped some stir fry into bowls for them and carried it to the table. She uncovered the dumplings she had prepared earlier and sucked some sauce off her thumb.

 

“This is for you,” he said, handing her an envelope. Maya, surprised, took it tentatively from his hand.

 

“For me?!” Maya turned over the envelope that was hand addressed. “Who’s sending me mail here?” She opened it and sat down at the table. When she opened the envelope and pulled out the folded paper, something fell out onto the table. Paul sat in the chair across from her digging into his stir fry. “What is…” Maya picked up the familiar black card and turned it over in her hand. She was confused for a moment and then saw her name printed in neat letters on the bottom of the card.

 

“Paul what is this?” she looked up at him in shock and between mouthfuls of food, he said casually.

 

“It’s a graduation present.”

 

“What?!” She looked back down at the card, “Is this? Did you? What…” She looked back up at him and he shrugged.

 

“It’s easier than giving you my card all the time and I’d feel better knowing you always have money if you need it.”

 

“Paul this is….way too much,” she looked down at the card again.

 

“You always say that.” Paul replied, picking up some dumplings and dropping them in his bowl.

 

“I...I can’t take this,” Maya put it on the table and slid it across to him. Paul stopped eating and looked at her seriously.

 

“My. Don’t make this hard.” He had a firm look on his face and he pushed the card back to her.

 

“Paul, this is a fucking black card. With my name on it. I can’t—” Maya tried to push it back but the look on his face stopped her.

 

“My, I need you to understand this so please hear me when I say this...you’re it for me. Whatever happens, this is it. You’ll always be my responsibility, and I will always take care of you. No matter what. That card has your name on it for a reason. There are no strings attached. I want you to use it to buy whatever you want with it—clothes to keep here, dinner when you’re with your friends, anything. And I really hope you make it easy on me by taking it and saying thank you so that I can have one less thing to worry about.” Maya stared at him for a long time, her mouth slightly open and finally, she placed her hand over the card and took it back.

 

“Thank you,” she said softly. Paul gave her nod and continued eating. Maya ate slow careful bites, her eyes glued to this man who in all other moments seemed like a closed book, but then did overwhelming things like this that knocked her off her feet. The rain pounded against the back door and Maya’s eyes drifted over to the sound. When she finished eating, Paul stood up and took her bowl from her. They had eaten in tense silence after the black card incident and Maya felt weirdly nervous. Something else seemed to be bothering him and she didn’t know how to get it out of him. Despite the intense connection they shared, Maya still felt brand new to this relationship. And she realized that she almost felt embarrassed by her inexperience.

 

Paul was her first everything. As she watched him wash the dishes, she itched to get closer to him. She drifted over and wrapped her arms around his abdomen laying her head on his back. He stopped and placed his hand on top of hers. When he turned his body to take her in his arms, she looked up at him.

 

“I don’t get why you fight me on stuff sometimes,” he said, his voice gentle, all the tension gone. “And why you don’t…” He stopped himself, his hands gripped tightly to her back.

 

“Why I don’t what?” she asked, her eyes flush with concern.

 

“Nothing, My. I’m just trying to take care of you. Let me take care you,” he said earnestly. Maya sighed and buried her face in his chest now.

 

“Fine, but does it have to be a black card?” He leaned down and kissed the top of her head.

 

“You weren’t so opposed in Santa Monica. What did you call me? A sugar daddy?” He laughed and Maya felt buffeted by the sound. She looked up at him and smiled.

 

“Yeah, but this card is mine. My name and everything. That just feels like so much more.” She breathed.

 

“Let me ask you this...we’re together right?” he said.

 

“Yeah,” Maya said slowly, watching his face now.

 

“So that makes you mine right?”

 

“Yeah, so?”

 

“So think of this as just an extension of that feeling. You’re mine and that means I want to give you everything that I can. Am I allowed to take care of you the way that I want?” his eyes raked over hers and Maya held onto his gaze before she nodded.

 

“Yes, you are.” She breathed. He leaned down and planted a soft kiss to her lips.

 

“Then let me.”

 

“Okay,” she gave in. If this was something he wanted, she could give that to him. Plus, she didn’t have to actually use the card if she didn’t want to. He held her for a moment, her head pressed against his chest as the sound of the rain pummeled the house.

 

“I gotta go,” he said gently.

 

“In this?” her grip automatically tightened around his back as if she could make him stay put. “Why?”

 

“Duty calls,” he said, unwrapping himself slightly from her. “Can you stay here tonight? I don’t want you out in this.”

 

“I don’t want you out in this,” she retorted. He chuckled and put his hand under her chin so that she was looking up at him.

 

“I’m a little more durable than you. I’ll try not to be home too late this time,” he kissed her long and slow and when she came up for air he said, “Promise me you’ll stay put tonight.” She didn’t know why he asked this but she agreed to it anyway. At this point, Maya felt like Paul could get her to agree to just about anything.

 

“Promise.”

 

Chapter 24: Jealousy has a name

Chapter Text

I’ve never been a jealous person, but I guess when it comes to love, the lines can tend to get a little blurred. My mother always warned me that jealousy was something that ate away at you if you let it. That it would break apart whatever was good and pure and leave half of what was once whole. But I’ve experienced jealousy first hand more than once: a boy in second grade wanted to sit next to me so bad during our free paint hour that he pushed another boy out of his chair, then in middle school I watched as one boy tugged Keye away from another boy at the spring fling dance, and then more recently, with Paul, whenever Jeremy got too close or if someone he didn’t particularly like talked to me, he’d pull me aside, crush his lips to mine and remind me of the imprint. Maybe the rules of jealousy don’t work the same when it comes to that, but either way,  I know jealousy’s name now and he always makes himself known to me. 

 




The next week Maya spent mostly alone. Paul was increasingly absent due to more protection rounds and juggling work. She even had to intercept a call from Michael one day when Paul had left his phone on the kitchen counter and it had buzzed so incessantly that Maya couldn’t take it anymore. 

 

When she wasn’t at Paul’s, Maya was bent  over her pros and cons list for Columbia and Princeton up in her room, or at the diner, or at Keye’s. She still hadn’t decided and the deadline was getting close. The crushing weight of the decision was sparking something rebellious in Maya. She didn’t know why, but she wanted to do anything other than make this decision right now. 

 

She wanted to have shower sex with Paul, or go cliff jumping with Becks and Keye, or take a nighttime joyride to Port Angeles and wind up at a club, or keep on driving through the night until they hit open desert. This was one of Maya’s most distinct flaws, or what she thought of as a flaw, she had the spontaneous urge to do something reckless when a big decision or paper or life changing thing was about to happen. 

 

In the short moments that Paul wasn’t asleep or rushing out to rounds, Maya tried to ask him about what was going on. He had never spent this much time away before and while Sadie said it wasn’t uncommon for them to be out on rounds a lot, that hadn’t been Maya’s experience. But maybe this was another instance of Maya having inexperience in a relationship, in the pack, in everything. The thought of it made her cringe. Paul wasn’t really interested in talking that much in his limited time. Mostly, whenever he got home from rounds or came in from his workshop after grinding through another piece, he’d scoop Maya up if she was over and take her to bed, lay her across the kitchen table, bend or over the couch, or set her up on the kitchen counter, pushing her legs open, and fitting himself inside of her hard with unrelenting need. 

 

Maya never protested. Connecting this way with Paul always made her feel in control, safe, and overwhelmingly happy. She had no decisions to make when she and Paul made love, it was just the purest connection that cleared her head and kept her close. The pull to do something reckless ebbed when she was with him too. But that feeling always came back in full force as soon as he was gone again. 

 

On Friday afternoon, she texted him. He’d been out most of the day, making some local deliveries for some finished pieces and then he was off to do rounds with Jared. 

 

M: Heading over to Emily’s to hang with Sadie. Becks is coming to pick me up. 

P: Okay, stay on the rez today. If I get done with rounds early, I’ll swing by and grab you from Emily’s. 

 

Why did she need to stay on the rez today? As Maya adjusted the belt on her cut off jean shorts and black cropped top with large silver buttons down the front, she rolled her eyes. He never gave her a reason when he told her to do something. This was also the third time this week that she had checked in with him and he told her to stay on the rez. She hadn’t planned on going anywhere else, but being told to stay put when she very much wanted to feel free was maddening. 

 

She also knew that he wouldn’t finish rounds early. Wishful thinking on his part. 

 

When Becks picked her up, they headed toward Emily’s in a roundabout way so they had more time cruising alone together. Becks had decided that she was going to Northwestern for college and while Jeremy was bummed, they had recently had a very serious talk about ending their relationship sooner rather than later. Becks was constantly worried that Jeremy would eventually imprint and leaving him here to pine for her while she was away at college was not a better scenario. 

 

Becks had originally been sad by the outcome, but after a few tearful phone calls with Maya and Keye, she had come to terms with it. Plus, they still cared about each other so much that staying friends for now, sans imprint, was easy. 

 

“So, he really won’t fill you in on what’s going on?” Becks said. Jeremy had been less than forthcoming with her too, but after conferring on the car ride, both girls had agreed that something was going on that was keeping them away longer and longer. 

 

“Literally nothing. Every time I try to bring something up, he takes my pants off and I kind of lose focus,” Maya laughed a little. He was very distracting when he wanted to be and Maya, while annoyed that he clearly wasn’t telling her something, didn’t feel like she was in any danger. “What about you?” 

 

“Nothing. He says everything’s fine, they’re just being extra cautious after the incident with you, but they got that thing that night, right?” 

 

“I thought so,” Maya said. She shivered remembering that night and the cold, tight hand around her neck and blood stained eyes that flashed sometimes still in her dreams. 

 

“So weird,” Becks said, turning into the clearing in front of Emily’s house. True to Sadie’s word, Emily’s front door was always open. Her kids were playing out on the porch when Maya and Becks walked up. As they walked through the open door, Sadie crowed a hello and Emily hugged both of them. 

 

“So glad you came by!” Emily said, her warm smile lighting up the room. “There’s tea and muffins and food in the fridge. I need to put some kiddos down for a nap, but I’ll be back.” 

 

The girls grabbed some drinks and headed to the backyard to sit around the fire pit. The day was definitely cooler for the beginning of June and the sky threatened to open up at any moment and rain down on them. 

 

“So Sadie, do you live in Forks then?” Becks asked as she took a sip of her drink. 

 

“Yeah! I live close to mainstreet,” she said. 

 

“Have you noticed anything weird lately?” Maya said softly. 

 

“Weird? No, not really. But Seth has been asking me to stay with him on the reservation a lot lately...why?” Sadie looked curious. So then maybe it wasn’t just Paul not telling her what was happening. It seems like the pack wasn’t giving up information. But, if anyone knew what was going on with the pack, it would be Emily. “Oh!” Sadie interjected into Maya’s thoughts, “I forgot to ask you guys—this guy in my Ancient History class is throwing a party or whatever tomorrow night. Would you guys want to come with me? I don’t think Seth is going to be able to come with all these rounds but I really really want to go.” 

 

Maya and Becks looked at each other, excitement spreading across their faces. Since the incident in Port Angeles, Maya and her friends hadn’t gone anywhere which was out of character  for the trio. The summer revival was the closest they came but that felt more like a school dance and less like a nightclub raging with people you didn’t know. 

 

“Can Keye come?” Becks asked, her eyes lit up. 

 

“Oh my god yes!” Sadie replied, clapping her hands together. 

 

“Where is it at?” Maya asked, sipping her drink and starting to weigh the risk versus rewards of telling Paul. 

 

“Umm, so details are pretty vague, but rumor has it it will be at this old warehouse that skirts the river just outside of Forks,” Sadie was buzzing. 

 

Off rez? Maya thought, Perfect.  

 

“We’re in,” Becks said with a nod to Maya. “Speaking of, we should plan a trip to Seattle or Port Angeles soon. Bring Sadie into the partying fold,” Just them Emily emerged from the house coming to sit with them. 

 

“Ohh I’d love that!” Sadie replied. “Let’s plan it.” 

 

“I’d be careful with straying too far right now. The guys seem really on edge,” Emily interjected. Maya watched her, a hard look coming across her face. 

 

“Yeah, but on edge or not, Paul never lets me do anything anyway,” Maya said. Emily’s face softened as she looked at her now. 

 

“Take it easy on him, My. He’s trying. I think he’s just struggling to figure you out.” she replied. 

 

“Me?!” Maya’s voice piqued. “Mr. Mystery? Mr. Control is trying to figure me out?! It’s always stay put, come here, don’t go there, no to this, no to that. And I never get a reason.” Maya scoffed and took another sip of her drink. Her eyes fluttered back down to Emily. “He can’t keep me here forever.” 

 

“I know. And I’m not saying you should. Paul’s had a rough go of it early on and once he found his stride, he’s held pretty tightly to it. And now that you’re with him...he’s just trying to make it all work. I think he forgets that you’re incredibly strong willed though and are going to do what you want, as we’ve seen,” she leveled her with her eyes now and Maya gulped. “And I think Paul should have his boundaries tested more than anyone, so I think it’s okay that you push him. But he is trying.” Maya nodded at this. Something about Emily telling her this clicked something into place for her. 

 

If Paul was struggling to make Maya fit, then she’d show him how she did. She’d push him within reason, but he had to give her some wiggle room. The rest of the day was spent on less heavy topics and as Maya had predicted, Paul wasn’t getting off rounds early. As she hugged Sadie goodbye, she whispered in her ear, 

 

“Let’s keep the details of the party between us, okay?” Sadie had laughed and nodded her head. She sympathized with Maya’s plight of overprotective Paul even though Seth was the opposite. 

 

She had Becks drop her back off at Paul’s to help avoid suspicion so that when she casually mentioned to Paul the next day that she was going to spend the night at Becks, he wouldn’t be any the wiser. 

 

Late that night, she heard Paul come in, shower quickly, and then drop into bed next to her with a low sound that mixed in with the sound of thunder rolling outside. Maya turned her body to face him and wrapped her arms up around his neck. Paul could barely hold his eyes open as he dipped his head to nestle himself under her chin, his head pressing softly to the top of her chest as his arms circled down around her back. Maya stroked the back of his neck and let her other hand lightly scratch along the length of his shoulders. He gave a small sigh and goosebumps erupted across his skin. 

 

“You okay?” she whispered. He’d never held onto her like this, where she cradled him into her body instead of the reverse. Maya didn’t get an answer to her question. He had already fallen asleep and she kissed the top of his clean head before closing her eyes and drifting off to the sound of the thrashing rain. 

 

When she woke up the next morning, rare morning light streaming through the windows, Paul was laying across her stomach, his arms wrapped around her back and lying diagonally across the bed. Maya leaned her head up to look down at him and placed a hand in his hair as she rubbed her eyes and gave a large yawn. The sharp inhale of breath caused Paul to turn his head toward her, eyes still closed. Maya ran her hand softly across his forehead, brushing the shaggy hair aside that fell there. As she watched him, her finger tracing the strong line of his eyebrow, softened splendidly by sleep, her heart raced. She heard that familiar word sound in the back of her head that said Mine. But this time, it was her voice that said it. This frustratingly, sweet, kind, stubborn man was hers forever if she chose. And for the first time since he imprinted, Maya saw it as a choice rather than an unshakable fate that decided her future for her. 

 

The choice seemed easy to Maya now. Awash in the morning light, his face turned up toward her, sleeping peacefully, she let herself choose a life with him and watched it unfold in her mind. She found herself craving it quickly, her stomach fluttering with anticipation unexpectedly, and she knew he could feel the change in her heartbeat as his hands tightened around her back in response. For once, the imprint felt like a blessing rather than a curse. Something that held her upright rather than kept her in place and the shift that Maya felt now, re-memorizing the lines of his face in this new morning light, made her ache to know that he wanted her forever too, as Paul. 

 

His eyes gently opened and looked up at her face and Maya lost her breath for a moment. He was gorgeous and when he looked at her like that, like she was a sunset, nothing compared. 

 

“Morning,” Maya said softly. Paul gave an incoherent grumble and she smiled. He put his face down on her stomach squeezing her to him tightly for a second and then pulled his face up again to yawn. 

 

“What time is it?” he mumbled softly. Maya combed her hand through the front of his dark hair and used her other hand to pick up her phone. 

 

“Mmm, just after 9. What time did you get home last night?” she asked as he groaned and closed his eyes again. 

 

“4 I think.” he sighed and turned his head to kiss across her stomach absently. Maya’s heart fluttered at the feeling. 

 

“Go back to sleep,” Maya offered. 

 

“Can’t. I have to finish a couple of pieces that I’m behind on for a Seattle client.” he started to unwrap his arms from under her and pull himself up. “Do you want some breakfast?” He rubbed his eyes and popped up out of bed. Maya sat up with her arms wrapped around her knees and watched him. 

 

“Do you have to do rounds again tonight?” Her eyes were pleading. Paul paused to look at her seriously. 

 

“Yeah.” he said simply, an edge to his voice. 

 

“Paul, what’s going on?” Maya shook her head. “Something’s off. All of the pack is out all night doing rounds, you’re telling me not to leave the rez, what’s happening?” 

 

“Nothing, My,” he breathed. 

 

“Bullshit.” she replied simply. 

 

Paul’s face set in a hard line as if he was deciding something. Maya stayed put, her face determined, “My—” he started, resigned.

 

“Just tell me!” she cut him off and he let out a frustrated sound that made her eyes go wide. 

 

“Fine!” he snapped, “We’re running rounds late because that bloodsucker who tried to kill you has friends. Most of them tore off when they saw us the first few times, but one keeps coming back, skirting in and outside of our line, but it keeps getting away. We don’t know what it wants or if it’s just fucking with us, but that’s why I need you to stay put. If anything happened to you—” his eyes were fierce, burning, and Maya was having trouble keeping her breathing even. He held his hand over his eyes for a second to gather himself and then looked at her, softer now, “We’re just trying to keep everyone safe. Okay?” Maya’s eyes were glued to him. “What?” He asked a little too harsh.

 

“Nothing,” Maya breathed. The red eyes flashed in her mind now. How close she had been to death had never really occurred to Maya until now. She swallowed hard and tried to keep it together. Paul was already upset, she didn’t need to add to that, “Thank you for telling me.” She said, a stilted tone in her voice. 

 

“You’re welcome. Now do you want breakfast or not?” He teased. Maya let a small smile play on her face and she nodded, darting out of bed past him as he smacked her butt as she went by. 

 




Maya sat out on the back porch so she could see Paul in his workshop from where she sat with his laptop open on her lap. She had borrowed it to finish the paperwork to fill out to enroll in college starting in the fall. Maya had finally made a decision. That morning, after breakfast with him, she had stared at him for a second over her empty bowl of oatmeal and said, 

 

“It’s gotta be Columbia.” She just blurted it out. Paul looked at her, not shocked at all and just nodded. 

 

“I thought so.” 

 

“What? What do you mean you thought so? How?” Maya hadn’t even decided until that moment. He shrugged.

 

“You look good in blue.” He gave her a teasing smile and she broke out in laughter. 

 

After that, she had asked to use his laptop so that she could officially accept and fill out what she needed to be eligible to enroll in the fall. They had offered her a full academic scholarship for all four years and accommodation for the first year. Paul had kissed her as she sat on a lounge chair on the porch before he tucked himself into his workshop for the morning and most of the afternoon. 

 

By four, he was finished and on the phone with Michael to confirm a pickup for the finished pieces as Maya ate some leftovers, her legs wrapped around his torso from her place on the counter. She intermittently fed him bites from her bowl and listened to the one sided conversation. Next to her, her phone buzzed. She spooned one more mouthful of leftover lasagna into his mouth before setting the bowl down and releasing him from her hold. He wandered aimlessly around the kitchen finalizing details with Michael as Maya opened her messages. 

 

Sadie: We still on for tonight? 

 

Maya glanced up knowingly at Paul. Now that she knew what the pack was chasing, she felt guilty for wanting to still go to the party with Sadie. There was a pretty big chance that he would find out where she was and while she wasn’t afraid of any consequences, she didn’t want to put him through any more stress. He was running on little sleep and trying to juggle everything. What if she just told him? What could he do? Tell her no and she’d go anyway? Her mind flashed back to when he’d told her no to the senior road trip to SoCal. That had worked out pretty well for her, but she didn’t think she’d get whisked away on a trip this time to make up for it. She watched him pace back and forth now in the kitchen. 

 

He’d say no for sure. And she did really want to go. Plus how much danger could she be in with a group of college kids? She was technically going to be a college kid herself soon enough. Maya tapped back a quick reply. 

 

Maya: Absolutely! We’ll pick you up around 9? 

 

Sadie: Perfect! Yay! I’m so excited, I haven’t been to a party in ages! 

 

Maya: Me too.

 

Paul ended his call and Maya quickly put her phone down next to her. 

 

“Who was that?” he asked her. She smiled and put a hand to his face and he turned to kiss the inside of her palm.  

 

“Becks, asking if I could stay over at hers tonight. She’s pretty lonely now that she and Jer split up. Is that okay?” Maya asked sweetly. Paul nearly melted at her asking permission. 

 

“Well, since you asked so nicely,” he said in a low tone that made Maya shiver as he gripped her hips. She draped her arms over his shoulders as he pulled her to him, pressing his body to hers. She started to laugh and threw her head back as he kissed along her collarbone.”Okay, go get your stuff and I’ll swing you by Becks’. I need to be here for this pickup.” 

 

Maya suddenly flushed with guilt and nodded. She bolted up the stairs and pulled out one of the weekender bags that had magically appeared for her in his closet one afternoon and filled it with some outfit choices for the evening. Once finished, she zipped it closed and spun around just as Paul entered the room. 

 

“Almost ready?” he said, pulling a shirt out of his drawer and changing out of the one he was wearing.  

 

“Almost,” she breathed with her hands behind her back. He paused, his eyes narrowing as he looked at her. Maya’s heart picked up.

 

“You okay?” He was watching her carefully. Maya kept her breathing even to slow her heart rate. If he figured out something was off, Maya wasn’t sure she’d be able to convince him otherwise and then the night would be over. She gave him a sweet smile. 

 

“Yeah, of course,” she bounded over to him and put a hand to his face leaning in for a quick kiss. He held her to him for a minute, grabbing her by the wrist and searching her eyes. Once satisfied, he let her go and Maya let out a breath she had been holding. 

 

“Okay, let’s go then!” he said casually. He picked up her bag from the bed and followed her down the stairs. When he dropped her off at Becks’ place, Maya held onto his kiss for a little longer than normal. With a parting wave, he was off and Maya, feeling guiltier than before, made her way into the small house before her. 

 

Maya and Becks spent most of the afternoon sunbathing in her backyard before they got rained out. Keye came by at about 7 and the girls started to get ready. Maya was showering in Becks’ en suite bathroom with the door open while Keye leaned on the vanity and did her eye makeup. 

 

“Do you really feel that guilty?” Keye said as she carefully winged her eyeliner. The girls had decided to go for an all black look tonight to couple with the sneaky atmosphere they felt fall over them at not having told a single member of the pack what they were up to. 

 

“I mean yeah, he’s stretched so thin and I just want to go to a party?” Maya said from in the shower, rinsing the shampoo from her hair. 

 

“You’re 18, what does he expect? You to stay home and do the laundry and wait for him naked in bed like a good little housewife or something?” Keye sounded annoyed. 

 

“That’s not fair,” Becks said, now entering the bathroom and pulling on the black thigh high, lace banded stockings. 

 

“Bullshit,” Keye continued, “Even if this vampire hunting shit wasn’t happening he still wouldn’t let you go, admit it.” She was right and Maya knew it. It didn’t help ebb the feeling of guilt growing in her stomach though. 

 

Maya turned off the shower and stepped out before grabbing a towel. “He’s gonna find out anyway. Either tonight or later when someone slips up. Maybe I should just text him when we’re there and let him know?” Maya was trying to think of every way that she could do this but none of them gave her the outcome that she wanted. 

 

“Fuck that. Imprint or not, Maya, you are still a person capable of doing independent things. You don’t have to run every little thing by your boyfriend,” Keye said. Becks looked on with a worried look on her face. While Keye wasn’t wrong, and Maya was her own person, things worked a little differently in the world of imprints. More and more, Maya was coming to understand the physical implications of hurting or betraying your imprint. They had power over their imprinter, whether they wanted it or not, and the last thing Maya wanted to do was hurt him with it. 

 

Resigned to go, Maya donned the shortest black miniskirt that she owned that was slit on the front right thigh. She pulled on a black halter that looked similar to a sports bra and finished it with the matching black thigh high lace banded stockings that Keye and Becks wore too. Maya straightened her hair in long thick black sheets and did some smokey black eyeshadow and winged eyeliner. 

 

“We look like hot goth chicks who greet you at the doors to hell,” Keye laughed as they stood together to look in the mirror at each other. Maya and Becks burst into laughter too. 

 

They piled into Becks’ car and drove quietly until they were off the reservation. Only then did they roll down the windows and blast their music on the way to pick up Sadie from her apartment. 

 

Maya felt a rush of adrenaline course through her once they exited the rez. She hadn’t been off rez without Paul in awhile. Maybe that was because the last time she left without him she had almost died. Her heart hammered in her chest with excitement and slight fear and she had the sudden urge to text him and tell him where she was. 

 

Paul could always keep her safe, but she wanted to hold onto this opposing feeling of freedom just a bit longer. When they arrived at Sadie’s, she was already skipping down the stairs from her second story apartment in a tight blue minidress with bright white Keds. The girls hung out the car window and cheered for her as she struck a pose at the bottom of the steps before scurrying to pile into the backseat next to Maya. Sadie guided them through Forks and then onto a logging road that ran down by the river. After what felt like forever, bumping along on the dirt road, they came to a row of industrial buildings in a plowed down clearing. At one end, they could see lights and hear the booming music. They parked closer to the building where the party was happening amongst a throng of 20 or so other cars, spilling out and onto the cool earth. 

 

The foursome was all smiles as they trudged toward the thumping warehouse, linked arm and arm. Once inside, Maya relaxed a little bit. There were tons of people crammed into the spacious warehouse. Music blared from speakers at a DJ station set up on the far end of the building and someone had hung strobe lights as well as twinkling white lights from the rafters. Keye was buzzing and Becks couldn’t believe their luck. In all their time in and around La Push, they’d never stumbled upon a party like this. 

 

Since there were so many people crushed and dancing in the room, Maya felt at ease that no one would recognize them if anyone from the rez was actually there. It wasn’t long before they had drinks in hand and found themselves in the center of the dance floor. Everything melted away and as Maya drank more, she felt herself more at ease. 

 

The night carried on easily for them. Keye and Becks were dancing with different people, drinks changing hands, mouths dropping onto mouths. Sadie and Maya stayed close to one another to avoid dancing with anyone who got too close. Her previous feelings of guilt drifted away as the night wore on. She was having one of the best nights she had had with her friends in a long time. Things felt simple and as she drank more, Maya found laughter falling from her mouth with ease as the lights spun above her. 

 

At some point during the night, Sadie disappeared for a second and Maya, lost in her whole world, continued dancing on her own. Suddenly, a hand grabbed her arm and her eyes shot lazily to the figure who grasped her. She smiled when she saw that it was Sadie but the tight grip on her arm gave Maya the uncanny feeling that something was wrong. 

 

“What?” Maya yelled over the music. Her hair was slick with sweat and she found it hard to focus on Sadie for too long. 

 

“Seth is here,” she said seriously. A thousand thoughts raced through her mind at once as a dull sense of panic set in. 

 

“Fuck,” Maya finally said. Sadie nodded and Maya looked around her quickly to locate Keye and Becks. There was no plan. When she saw them off to the side chatting up some guys. 

 

“Maya,” Sadie called for her again and she spun around. Seth was walking toward them and Sadie was walking to intercept him. Seth, so unlikely to look unhappy, wore a frown on his face that was drenched in worry. Maya, fully panicking, now backed into the crowd and rushed toward the door, pulling her phone out. 

 

She had no new messages and no missed calls. As she broke out into the cool night air, the music thudding behind her, she pulled up Paul’s name and tapped call. The line rang three times before his familiar warm voice pulled on the other line. 

 

“My?” He said. He didn’t seem upset, but Maya knew what she had to do. 

 

“Don’t get mad,” she said slowly. She could tell her voice sounded off, a little drunk, slurred even. There was a pause and then, 

 

“Where are you?” His tone was firm, but not mad yet. 

 

“Please don’t get mad, you have to promise,” Maya pleaded. 

 

“Maya, where the fuck are you?!” His voice rose in obvious anger now but his tone was more pleading. 

 

“I’m at a party, down by the river in one of the old warehouses with Keye and Sadie and Becks.” she admitted. There was a long pause where Maya thought she could hear him breathing and then, 

 

“Stay put, I’m coming to get you.” The line disconnected and Maya looked down at her phone uncertain. 

 

“Fuck,” she whispered again. 

Chapter 25: Get out of town

Chapter Text

When you think you’re moving too fast and want to slow down is when you need to pay attention the most. What happens is, you see things for what they are and you gain insight without hindsight. Lately, I feel like I’ve been running at full speed and not chancing a look back to see who’s still behind me. But why do I even feel like I’m being chased at all? It’s more likely that I’m following someone else at this point. But when I reach the cliff, I’ll keep running without stopping so that I don’t hesitate when it comes time to jump off the edge. 

 





Maya stood with her arms crossed in the fresh night air outside of the warehouse after shoving her phone back in her purse. The cool air made her more aware of just how drunk she was and leaned against a random car to steady herself a little bit. 

 

Maya knew this is what would happen but she had come anyway and now, she faced the wrath of Paul. But she wasn’t nervous, if anything she was annoyed, upset even. More and more, Maya was realizing that she wanted to be with Paul forever, if he chose her, but going on like this where every outing would be a fight wasn’t an option. She planned to confront him, even if she did feel like she messed up a little this time. 

 

After about five minutes, Maya was starting to get a little cold. The recent rainfall had cooled off the area and she was wearing next to nothing. Paul should be there any moment though, so she didn’t dare go inside. Off to her left, Maya watched as three men walked out from the warehouse laughing and handing each other a cigarette. She moved around to the other side of the car just to stay a little more out of sight but it was too late. They’d seen her, and in their drunken state they belligerently shouted at her, making their way toward her like they knew her. 

 

Maya kept her eyes on the dirt road hoping that they’d leave her alone but they approached her. One of the men, a tall blonde with half-lidded intoxicated eyes started to chat her up. Maya was a little too drunk to make a quick exit and so she just tried moving away from him. 

 

“Hey, wait. Don’t be like that,” he said, clearly slurring as his friends behind him chuckled, taking long drags of their cigarettes. His hand grabbed her arm now a little to tightly and pulled her back toward him. 

 

“Stop.” Maya said firmly as she tried to jerk away. 

 

“Come on, we were just talking,” he said, his hand on her hair now, fiddling a strand between his fingers. “You’re very pretty. Too pretty to be alone. Someone could do something,” he said cryptically. Maya started to feel sick to her stomach. She tried to take another step away but his arm was still tight on her arm and he pulled her firmly now so that her back rested against the side of the car as he stood in front of her. “You don’t like me.” He said, his face too close to hers. She could smell the sickly sweet stench of too much alcohol on his breath. She turned her face away from his as he floated closer. 

 

“Stop. Let go of me!” Maya said, her panic rising. 

 

“Shh, shh shhh, don’t be like that,” he said, “We’re just talking. Well...I’m talking,” he laughed a little and his hand that was in her hair was on her face now, his thumb too rough on her chin, “We could have fun. Do you like to have fun?” his hand was moving down her face to her neck and he was clearly bleary eyed and out of control. 

 

“Fuck off!” Maya tried to push him, but he pushed her back harder onto the car. 

 

“HEY!” Maya heard a voice bellow from the clearing. And then, before she had a second to determine where the sound had come from, she heard a sickening crunch and the man who was hovering over her was now on the ground groaning in pain. Paul stood in front of her, his chest heaving and before Maya had a chance to take two solid breaths, the other two men who ahd had been looking on tried  to grab Paul. He easily tossed them off, punching one in the gut and the other in the face. 

 

Still not satisfied by the heap of groaning men, he jumped on the man who had held Maya against the car and began to pummel him. With each blow, his face became more bloodied and disfigured. Paul was a man possessed, his eyes wild. He was going to kill him if Maya didn’t do something. 

 

“Paul!” she screamed. But he continued to hit every possible surface of the man’s face who was clearly unconscious now. 

 

Suddenly, Seth skirts lithely around Maya and grabs Paul deftly around the shoulders hauling him off of the man. 

 

“Paul, stop! You’re gonna kill him.” Seth said, more calm than Maya was expecting. He didn’t let go of his hold on Paul who was struggling against Seth’s grip. 

 

He was all rage as he bellowed with a pointed finger at the man on the ground:  “Don’t ever touch her! If you fucking touch her again, I’ll rip out your fucking throat. I’ll  fucking kill you!” 

 

“Paul! Enough!” Seth said as Paul shook out of his grip and turned to Maya. His shoulders were moving up and down in labored breaths and his eyes were black with rage. He strode over to Maya and grabbed her hand roughly pulling her toward his car with a “Let’s go.” 

 

Maya could feel the tremors wracking his body. She was momentarily afraid that he was going to phase and go back to finish the job. Paul yanked open the passenger door and Maya hopped in quickly as he slammed the door hard behind her. She winced. As Paul navigated them down the dirt road back toward the main road, Maya shook in the silence that followed. But once his headlights swept onto the safety of the concrete road leading them back to La Push, she tried to talk to him. 

 

“Paul,” she started softly, turning her head to look at him. He was stone faced, but she could see he was still furious, “I’m sorry. Sadie invited us and I wanted to go. I just...just wanted to go.” Nothing. Silence, “Paul? Are you really not going to say anything?” Silence. “Paul!” she shouted at him now. 

 

Teeth gritted, he jerked the car over to the side of the road causing Maya to brace herself against the window, wide eyed. He undid his seat belt and turned to her, his eyes frantic, furious, and black.  

 

“Come here.” he said, his voice low and commanding. Maya didn’t dare disobey this look. She unclipped her seatbelt quickly and hurtled over the center console to straddle him. His hands on her were rough as he cinched up her miniskirt in a tight bunch around her hips, working quickly. 

 

Maya unzipped his pants and pulled him out. Paul wasted now time before he thrust into her quickly and roughly, causing her to cry out. He pushed deep into her each time in hard, quick motions as Maya held on around his neck. Rain had started to fall in earnest on the car and the increased sound on the metal roof drowned out their panted breaths. 

 

She could feel the tension in his shoulders, the frustration in the frown of his mouth, the look in his eye that was desperate and furious. His hands wrapped around her waist, gripping her tightly and slamming her down onto him with a force that felt entirely too good for how angry she knew he was. 

 

Paul’s pace was feverish and it felt like a reminder to her of some kind—that she was his. As he pounded into her and reached his climax inside of her, they collapsed onto one another in heavy breaths. Maya’s hands wrapped around the back of his head and he pressed his forehead into her shoulder. When they leaned back to look at one another, still breathless, Maya said between labored breaths:

 

“Are you still mad at me?” 

 

“Very,” he replied, still trying to catch his. While his eyes had softened, Paul’s voice was gruff with frustration. She could feel that the tension in his shoulders had melted away, but the anger still hung in the dampened air of the inside of the car.

 

“Okay,” Maya conceded, leaning her forehead onto his as they both closed their eyes for a moment. His hands were still gripped tightly around her waist and when he finally loosened his hold on her, she hoisted herself off of him and plopped back down in the passenger seat trying to gather herself and straighten her skirt out. 

 

Paul pulled back onto the road and drove them home in silence after that. Once home, he left the car quickly slamming the door behind him and Maya watched as he swung open the front door and disappeared inside without closing it behind him. She took a deep breath and then followed him in, closing the door behind her. 

 

She found him in the kitchen warming up some leftovers and stood with her arms crossed against the kitchen table. Paul wouldn’t turn to look at her. After a solid ten minutes of watching him eat leaning against the kitchen counter, Maya uncrossed her arms exasperated. 

 

“Paul, I’m sorry. What do you want me to say?” she said desperately. 

 

Paul took the last bite of his food and turned to wash the dish in the sink. “I don’t need you to say anything and I don’t have anything to say to you.” 

 

“Oh bullshit,” Maya spat, putting a hand to her forehead now, “You’re mad. Okay, I get it. I’m sorry. But I still get to go and do things, Paul.” 

 

Paul turned to face her now, his eerie calm was more frightening than when he was shuddering to keep his cool. “I asked you to do one thing, Maya. Don’t leave the rez. And what did you do?” 

 

“I left the rez,” Maya replied, annoyed. 

 

“So, what do you want me to say?” Paul said his arms crossed now. 

 

“I don’t know. Tell me you’re mad, tell me I fucked up, tell me anything just not...whatever this is,” Maya motioned to him. He shook his head. 

 

“I yell, you don’t listen. I ask you to do something, you do the opposite. It doesn’t matter. You don’t fucking listen to me. So I’m done.” Paul said definitively. 

 

“You’re done?” Maya confirmed. She paused and looked down at her feet. When she looked back up at him there were tears in her eyes, “With me? You’re done with me?” She suddenly felt like a toddler about to throw a tantrum. Paul gave a sigh and rubbed his eyes and then said slowly. 

 

“No, Maya. I’m not ‘done with you.’ I will never be done with you. You’re my imprint. Like I’ve told you a thousand times, you’re it for me. So no, I’m not fucking done with you,” the anger was starting to leak through the calm facade. 

 

“So what are you done with?” 

 

“I’m done trying to get you to listen to me. You’ve made it clear you don’t care what I have to say or what I ask, so I’m—” 

 

“That’s not why I did this and you know it. I do listen to you.” Maya interjected. 

 

“No, you fucking don’t!” Paul said, his voice rising. He was losing his sense of calm. But Maya much preferred this to the resigned, measured coldness from before. “I tell you what we’re hunting, something that probably fucking wants you by the way, and I almost kill myself trying to keep you safe and the pack safe and you decide that whatever you fucking want is more important, Maya. Not what I need, not what the pack needs, what Maya needs. It’s fucking selfish.” He wasn’t quite yelling, but his voice boomed across the kitchen. Maya was mad now, too. 

 

“How dare you. I’m selfish all of the sudden?” Maya clenched her fists. “Me? I’m selfish. Okay, Paul.” She scoffed.

 

“What the fuck is that supposed to mean?” he shot back. 

 

“Ever since you imprinted, my life has started and ended with you!” She shouted across the kitchen at him. He watched her carefully now, “Everything revolves around you! I have to tell you where I am all the time, vampires or not, I have to ask permission to go over to my best friend’s house, or to go to Port Angeles, or to do anything that I want to do alone. I’m not used to that. I don’t...want that. It’s suffocating!” Paul was still watching her, the anger clear in his eyes but he was listening, “And then…” Maya looked at her feet, trying to hold back tears, “And then when I do ask you about stuff, you’re a closed book. Or we just have sex and forget. You want to control every part of my life that you can, but it took you weeks to tell me what was going on with the pack. You never even told me that you were technically in charge.” 

 

“I’m trying not to—” 

 

“Not to complicate this, I know!” she interjected, her eyes wide and frantic, “But Paul, when I ask you what’s going on, I want you to tell me. I don’t want you to treat me like some little kid you have to protect. I’m your girlfriend. And if you really mean forever, then that means I’m your partner. For life. I want you to treat me like that. And I want you to fucking trust me.” Maya was amazed that she had delivered such a determined speech. The more she talked, the stronger her voice felt. 

 

“I want to trust you, Maya,” Paul said after a long pause, “It’s hard though...I feel like whenever I pull, you push. Or when I ask you to stay, you run in the completely opposite direction. This isn’t coming as easily as it does for everyone else and that...fucking scares me.” 

 

“But it all feels...one-sided. You get to make the rules and I just have to obey them. That’s not a relationship, that’s just control.” Maya said, defeated. Tears were falling clearly from her eyes now. 

 

“My,” he said gently, taking a step toward her but she took a step back.

 

“Hold on,” she said, trying to get herself together, taking deep breaths. “I’m sorry I didn’t tell you I went to this party tonight. I didn’t tell you because I knew you would say no. I’m not sorry that I went though. I’m sorry I put you through the stress of finding out the way you did and then that guy—” Maya choked up on that part and she heard Paul make a sound in his throat that indicated he still wasn’t over her being touched. “If we can’t figure out a better way to do this...I don’t know how this is going to work.” 

 

“Don’t do this again.” Paul interjected and Maya stopped him. 

 

“I’m not breaking up with you. I’m saying that if this is the kind of relationship we’re going to have, it won’t work. So we need to figure it out because I don’t plan on this being over anytime soon.” Maya looked at him, fire in her eyes, fists still clenched. “I’m going to bed.” She said suddenly exhausted and letting her hands relax. “Just..think about what I said.” She said softly before turning and walking slowly up the stairs. She closed the door behind her and placed her back against it letting out a soft huff of air.

 

Somehow, Maya felt relieved. But in her relief, she also felt the overwhelming grief that came with fighting with someone you cared about. Her eyes lingered around the room and fell on the intricately detailed dresser that sat next to Paul’s dresser. He had finished it for her. 

 

Maya walked over to it and ran her hand across the buttery soft surface. The dresser pulls were gold suns, her name sake, and he had carved intricate winding patterns down the wood that reminded her of the Quillayute River. Her hand wound down the front of the dresser following the path of the carved river as tears fell in earnest now from her eyes. 

 

She quickly turned and tore her eyes away from the dresser as she walked over to lock herself in the bathroom and take the longest, hottest, shower she could manage. 

 





Maya woke the next morning to an empty bed. Paul had never come in last night and while she was sort of grateful for the space, the imprint made her ache to be near him. She leaned up, still groggy and rubbed her eyes. 

 

Carefully opening the door to the hallway, she listened for any sound of him, but there was nothing. She walked down the stairs quietly and rounded the corner to the living room. Empty. 

 

“Paul?” she called out tentatively. The ache in her grew and she realized that he wasn’t here. Her eyes fluttered to the kitchen table where a piece of paper lay. Her heart hammered in her chest as she walked over and grabbed it. 

 

My, 

 

Gone to Seattle for work. I wanted to give you and me some space to think and figure this out. Michael has booked you a flight for Tuesday to come out here with me. Call him if you want it changed to sooner. 

 

I love you so much Maya. And I heard you last night. I don’t want this to feel one-sided or like you’re being controlled, I want to try and make it better. You mean so much to me, so when you’re ready, come to Seattle and we can talk about anything. The pack, us, anything you want. 

 

-Paul

 

Maya breathed a sigh of relief at the letter. This felt good. This felt better. And even though the imprint in her ached to follow him immediately, the old Maya welcomed the space to get her head clear so she could come to him anew. 

 




The next couple of days, Maya spent at home with her parents. She felt like since she and Paul had gotten together that they barely spent time together. Maya spent an entire day with her dad outside in the backyard fixing up his old shed and then helped her mom cook dinner for some elders in the community. This was the Maya she remembered and she was so glad she was still there. 

 

But, despite getting back to basics with Paul away, Maya knew she was forever changed and she realized that she was ready for the next step if she was really going to dig into this life and make it work with Paul. 

 

“Mom,” Maya said over dinner a couple nights before she was meant to leave for Seattle. “Dad. Can I run something by you guys?” They perked up at her question. 

 

“Of course, baby. What is it?” her mother replied. Maya stared at her dad and he nodded in confirmation. 

 

“I’m...I’m gonna move in with Paul,” she said sure and confident. Rish’s eyes lit up with joy, but Maya kept her eyes on her dad. He was watching her carefully and Maya knew that there was some sadness there. “I think it’s best to do it now, during the summer, so we can have as much time as possible together before I leave for Columbia. But...that doesn’t mean I won’t ever be over here. I’m just….ready,” she sighed. And she was. Her dad looked at her for a long time before Rish said. 

 

“Of course, honey. It seems the natural progression of things. Oh...I’m gonna miss you so much,” Rish was up and wrapped her arms around Maya’s head, tears in her eyes as she leaned down to kiss the top of her hair. 

 

“You’re sure about this?” her father asked. 

 

“Tom!” Rish exclaimed, but Maya looked at her father serenely. 

 

“Yes. I’m sure. I’ve thought about it a lot and I need to take this next step. He’s it, dad.” she said decisively. Tom nodded and with one final look of sadness, he smiled and said, 

 

“Okay. Then we support you.” 

 

Maya beamed, “Thank you. That means a lot...really. I’m going to have some of the guys from Sam’s group come and move some stuff tomorrow, but it’s really just clothes and some books.” 

 

The next night, Maya was fitting the rest of her clothes into her new dresser and hanging her dresses in the closet. She threw her old throw blanket from her bed over Paul’s bed—their bed— and smiled. 

 

She had made this decision without him, but she knew he wanted this. He’d told her more than once. And this, she hoped, would be a good faith gesture to show him she was serious about their life together despite her leaving in the fall. 

 

The next morning, she boarded a small biplane to Sea-Tac with the fancy leather weekender duffel bag that Paul had clearly purchased for her weeks ago. When she deplaned and made her way to the terminal, she was unsurprised but overwhelmed to see Paul, standing tall above the milling crowd with his hands in his pockets and smiling the biggest grin she had ever seen. She rushed toward him and threw her body at him, which he gladly caught. Her arms were wrapped around his neck as she pressed her lips to his, his hands easily holding her around the back. She fit well in his arms as if she was made for him. When she pulled back to look at him, he rubbed the tip of his nose against hers. 

 

“Miss me?” he teased. She nodded enthusiastically before pressing her lips back onto his for a moment. 

 

“I realized something.” She said, still held in his arms. Her eyes bored into his and he looked at her curiously, “While you were away I mean,” she said. He chuckled and didn’t dare set her on the ground. 

 

“What’s that?” it felt like there was no one else around them, and Maya feeling everything like she was just feeling it for the first time put a hand to his cheek, and said: 

 

“I love you.” His smile faltered for only a second as shock washed over his face. A strangled sound of joy barely escaped his throat before his lips came crashing down onto hers again and Maya squealed. Her whole body exhaled at the admission and as he spun her around, she couldn’t help but laugh. When he finally set her down, he said, joy painted clear on his face,

 

“I love you too,” his face was elated and Maya never wanted that look to fade away. He whisked her away to his car, taking the bag from her shoulder and keeping her hand firmly in his. The rush of Seattle air washed over Maya as she rolled the window down. 

 

They spent the afternoon in the loft above his studio reconnecting. Maya was thrilled to be under him as they made love, the look of claiming in his eyes echoing into her brain with each thrust. She had never felt more complete than he when he moaned out her name before coming between her legs, shuddering and holding her body tightly to his. 

 

There was nothing but peace between them. Maya made it a point after their third time making love, as he rested his head on his bent arm above her, letting his hand wind down her slick with sweat body, to tell him that they still needed to talk about things. She smoothed the stern look on his brow and with a giggle said, “Oh come on, it won’t be that hard.” 

 

“I’ll tell you everything you want to know if you let me do that thing again,” he said, mischief glimmering in his eyes. She burst into laughter, throwing her head back against the pillow and before she could even tell him yes, he quickly flipped her onto her stomach as she yelped in surprise. 

 

Later that evening, Paul insisted on taking her out to dinner. 

 

“It’s almost your birthday,” he said as Maya pulled the sheet around her naked body. 

 

“Yeah, I know but we can just celebrate by ordering take out and you can just fuck me on your workbench,” she waggled her eyebrows at him. He leaned down to kiss her forehead as he buttoned his pants. 

 

“Such a lady,” he laughed. Maya huffed as he put his shirt on and beckoned her out of bed. She threw on a fitted t-shirt dress and threw on some boots. 

 

“Nothing fancy,” Maya said as she quickly brushed out her disheveled hair. She pulled on some underwear and Paul took the chance to slap her exposed ass as she shimmied into the dark blue thong. 

 

“Right,” he said. “Come on,” he held his hand out to her and she took it with a smile. 

 

They ended up eating down by the pier, facing the water and tucking in over some po’boys and fries. The warm lamplight spilled over the high-top and dripping hyacinths hanging from planters. Maya brushed her hands together to clear crumbs and looked at Paul. Her leg was propped up on his lap and every so often Paul looked down and to his left. 

 

“What are you so jittery about?” Maya called him out. She could feel the nervous energy pouring off of him. “What?” she said when he looked at her seriously. 

 

“Don’t freak out,” he said. Maya’s eyes widened momentarily and she took a deep breath to steady herself. 

 

“What?” her eyes were glued to him as he fumbled in his pocket and pulled out a velvet box, setting it down next to her basket of fries. “Paul.” she gasped. 

 

“It’s not what you think,” he said when he saw her go tense. “This is just me saying...I’m in this with you forever. It’s a promise of all of the things we’ve yet to talk about, but I’m preemptively saying yes to it all with this.” 

 

Maya looked at the box now, her heart thumping so loud she knew he could hear it. “A promise?” she breathed. 

 

“A gesture. Open it,” he almost begged. Maya’s trembling fingers reached for the box and when she popped it open a simple ring lay within. The band glittered with alternating diamonds and small delicate raw pearls. The gold laced around the stones evenly and she took a deep breath. 

 

“A gesture.” she said, looking back up at him. 

 

“It doesn’t fit on your ring finger for a reason,” he said as he took the ring from the box and fit it neatly onto her middle finger on her right hand. “It’s a promise of things to come.” He looked at her now, waiting nervously for a response. 

 

She stared at the ring as it glittered on her hand. A promise. She looked up at him now, her eyes brimmed with tears as she said, “I love it. I love you. Thank you,” she breathed before leaning in ecstatic to kiss him. He kissed her back eagerly resting his hand gently on her neck. “Wow.” she breathed when they parted. 

 

“Wow.” he said, staring at her in the warm light. 

 

As she lay in bed that night beside him wearing nothing but the ring, the soft lull of his breath a welcome sound, she held her hand above her head, staring at it. Though they often thought they were out of sync, Maya and Paul seemed to know what the other needed just at the time they needed it most. 

 

And as the soft moonlight filtered across their bodies, Maya gently took the ring off of her middle finger and placed it gingerly on her left ring finger, just to see what it looked like, what it felt like. A wide smile stretched across her face in recognition as she brought her hand to her chest now. 



Chapter 26: The women who came before us

Chapter Text

Sometimes things come easy to you. Like your first kiss, riding a bike, running after learning how to walk, or trust when it’s coupled with love. But there’s always an added layer to easy things. I mean that even if the thing comes easy, there may be a part of it is hard. Like riding a marathon on your bike, or running in sand, or kissing someone even if you’re mad. And trust? Trust can be tested just with a look. It’s a fragile thing that just wishes to be whisked again at a glance, a touch. 






Maya woke the next morning wrapped in Paul’s arms, her left arm slung across his stomach with her head tucked under his chin. Low light was coming through the high windows and Maya didn’t want to move. Last night was like a dream. It had felt like her and Paul had taken a huge step forward and that they were finally finding some kind of a rhythm together. 

 

Maybe it was too soon to tell, but she was going to hold onto this feeling for as long as she could with him. She let her eyes drift down the length of his naked body not covered by the soft white sheet and marvelled at the hard, russet skin that dipped in perfect muscular outlines. His warm hand wrapped down the length of her back and his hand rested softly on her naked hip. His breath pulled deep through his lungs and the sound as his chest rose and fell was a melody to her. 

 

The imprint in her always thrilled when she felt like this and pulled tighter at the bond that linked them together. She leaned into that feeling, letting the intensity of that bond wash through her and felt Paul instinctually tighten his grip on her. A smile broke across her face at the rush of warmth that filled her body as she focused on that feeling and the shackles that she once thought the imprint had clamped to her fell away. She knew she could easily lose herself in this euphoria that the imprint provided if she wanted too. Paul made a low humming noise of pleasure as he turned his head to one side. She wondered if he was still asleep and lifted her head to look up at him. 

 

His eyes were still closed, that soft look of sleep pulled across his face and Maya bit her lower lip in anticipation. She brought her right hand up to run softly down the line of his jaw and the ring he had given her glittered in the soft light. He let out a soft exhale of breath and then opened his eyes halfway to look down at her. She gave him a soft smile and he murmured, 

 

“Good morning baby,” before his eyes closed again in a yawn. Maya’s stomach clenched happily at the pet name and she lowered her lips to kiss his chest. 

 

“Good morning,” she said softly. His hand that rested on her hip moved back and forth over her hip and to her ass as he brought his other hand to her hair. 

 

“Sleep okay?” he said. She leaned her head into the hand that was in her hair now. 

 

“Yeah, great.” 

 

“You hungry?” he asked. His need to always take care of her was written plainly on his face. Maya nodded and let her index finger run across his lips. He smiled, “Okay. But first,” and in a flash he had gripped her waist and moved her beneath him, his naked body hovering warmly over hers. His lips dipped to her neck as his right knee cinched between her legs pushing them open. Maya leaned her head up to connect her lips onto his and he responded by cupping the side of her neck with one hand and placing his other between her legs. 

 

She was already ready for him, the want clear in his touch and he smiled in their kiss before pressing into her. She moaned into his mouth as he entered her, pushing all the way in on the first thrust and holding himself in there so he could feel her grip him in response. She stirred her hips beneath him, pulling a low sound from his throat before he started to move in and out of her. 

 

As they made love in the low morning light, Maya let herself get lost in the warm thrum of the imprint as it beckoned Paul forward hungrily. 

 

Later that afternoon, Maya was tucked into the backseat of a town car as it whisked her through the downtown streets of Seattle. Paul had happily kissed her before she hurried out of his workshop to leave him to finish up some commissions. He’d asked her to go and buy some clothes to keep in his loft and something nice to wear tonight. He had an informal client meeting at a nice whiskey bar and asked if she would come with him. She had agreed and now as she hopped from store to store stocking her wardrobe for his workshop loft, Maya reclined into this newfound freedom. 

 

She didn’t let herself settle there for too long though, because if she did, the imprint would pang in her a need to return to Paul, to feel him around her and in her. Or maybe that was just her—Maya was starting to lose the line between her love for Paul and the imprint. 

 

At half past five, Maya returned, laden down with bags, and stumbled into the workshop. It was empty and Maya looked around her before realizing that the shower was on upstairs. After depositing her haul onto their bed, she crept toward the bathroom. She could see through the fogged shower door that he was washing his face under the water and taking advantage of this moment, she threw the shower door back and yelled a loud ‘WAH!’ at him. 

 

He jumped and threw his body back against the tile with a shout so loud she thought he’d had a heart attack. Maya immediately buckled over in laughter and when he realized it was her, he gave a huff of relief and then, as delicious revenge he said, 

 

“Really?!” before lunging for her fully clothed body and yanking her into the shower with him under the warm water. She gave a startled shriek but gladly let him pull her under the warm water with him. She was soaked and his hands roamed over her body eagerly as he brought his mouth down onto hers. She cupped either side of his face and giggled before pulling back to look at him. “That’s what you get for scaring me,” he said. 

 

“Oh I’m soooo sorry,” she said sarcastically, rolling her eyes. His eyes lit up in amusement and he was already pulling the cotton shirt over her head, dropping it wet and heavy on the shower floor. 

 

Maya let him undress her, watching his face turned to that of a kid in a candy store as he unclasped her bra in the front and yanked her wet jean shorts over her hips. “Are you having fun?” she asked to his growing look of desperation. He brought his eyes back up to hers once he had gotten her naked and gave her a wicked grin. 

 

“Oh yeah,” he said before lifting her up quickly and pushing her back against the cool tile. Maya gasped at the feeling before he greedily lowered her hips down onto him. 

 

She was starting to understand the difference between when they were making love and when Paul just needed to connect with her, thrusting and holding her hips onto him as he leaned into their bond. It most often happened when he needed to feel in control, or if they had been apart for a while. 

 

Whatever it was, Maya came to love that hot, needy look in his eye as he claimed her as his. She looped her arms around his neck as he bit gently down on her shoulder with a low growl. She moaned in his ear and felt him come. After holding her to the wall for a moment as he recovered, he gently set her down and leaned down to kiss her, a silent thank you.






Paul held the umbrella over Maya as they made their way down the street toward the bar. It wasn’t too far from Paul’s loft so they decided to walk even in the light drizzle. Maya was wearing a small, dark blue cocktail dress that hit just above her knees and gripped every curve of her body. The thin straps ended in an open v-shape at the back and the dress dipped low toward a cinched knot at her lower back. The front was a sharp straight line across her chest that accentuated her collarbone and made her breasts look larger than they were in the tight, high cut. Her dark black hair hung in a silky straight curtain down her back and she finished the look with a warm coppery eyeshadow, dark fluffy lashes, and a soft bronzed cheek glow. 

 

Paul complemented her look with dark jeans and a dark blue button down that he cuffed at his elbow and finished with light brown shoes. The rain dotted his hair and by the time they’d made it to the bar, he ran a hand through it to slick it back casually. A small piece fell in front of his face and Maya brought a hand up to tuck it back while he spoke to the hostess and handed his umbrella to the coat check attendant. 

 

“Right this way, Mr. Lahote, Miss Sunriviere,” the hostess said. When she said Maya’s name, she pronounced it with a French accent that made Maya smile and look up at Paul who gave her a goofy grin before placing his hand on her lower back and guiding her forward. 

 

They were seated in a sunken soft area with crushed velvet armchairs and couches next to a grand fireplace that was emitting low warmth. 

 

“Did you build that too?” Maya said under her breath to Paul as she plopped down on the couch next to him and pointed to the intricately carved wooden fireplace. 

 

“Ah, no definitely not me.” Paul said, letting his eyes span the length of the towering fireplace in admiration. A waitress walked up to them and they ordered a couple of drinks. Paul reclined against the sofa, an arm behind Maya as he sipped his whiskey. They weren’t there long before his clients arrived, a middle-aged couple named Clark and Janelle. Maya shook both of their hands and Janelle held onto hers a little longer, a soft glimmer in her dark brown eyes as she said,

 

“Oh you’re Maya! It’s so nice to meet you. Paul’s mentioned you when we had him over for dinner last time he was in town,” Janelle gave Paul a gentle smile and Paul nodded toward Maya, 

 

“The one and only,” he said. Maya looked over her shoulder at him, seemingly left out of the inside look they gave one another. 

 

“What am I missing?” Maya said conspiratorially as she leaned toward Janelle who gave a twinkling laugh and pulled her to sit with her in the two green velvet armchairs closer to the fire. 

 

“Nothing dear,” she waved her deep brown hand set with bright red nails in front of her face as if to wave away the question, “We’re just so happy he brought you along this time. He was looking pretty….weathered last time,” she leaned over and patted her knee, “But! He’s all aglow now. And he said you’re going to Columbia, is that right?” Janelle simply gushed causing Maya to blush in the warm light of the fire. Paul was talking with Clark and brought Maya her drink, depositing it into her hand while still carrying on with Clark. Maya drank it heartily and gave Janelle a nod. 

 

“That’s right.” Maya said. Janelle reminded her of her mother and Maya warmed to the feeling. She and Janelle fell easily into conversation with one another as Maya told her about her plans for college, Paul, her friends, everything. She was just an easy person to talk to. 

 

“I see he also made sure to showcase what a catch you are by literally putting a ring on it,” she gestured to the diamond and pearl band on Maya’s middle finger. Maya pulled her hand forward to look at it as if she forgot it was there for a moment and then chuckled. 

 

“Oh gosh, yeah that was a surprise. He’s way too generous,” Maya blushed again and when she looked toward him, Paul’s eyes were on her, a warm smile on his face as he stood closer to the bar with Clark. Maya’s breath caught in her throat and she fiddled with the ring for a second before holding her hand out at Janelle’s request to look at it closer. 

 

“A man in love can never be too generous in my experience,” Janelle said as she looked expertly at the ring, “And this man has very good taste.” She patted the top of Maya’s hand as she took it back. Paul was next to her now, Clark in tow, and handed Maya a fresh drink. 

 

“Janelle, are you behaving yourself?” Clark teased. 

 

“Just shopping,” she nodded to Maya’s hand and Paul laughed. 

 

“Fair enough. I was going to tear Paul away to the reserves cellar. Would you ladies like to join us or are you okay here?” Clark looked from Janelle to Maya, but Janelle answered for them: 

 

“Oh, please. We’re fine. If you’ve seen one old whiskey bottle, you’ve seen them all, right Maya?” she joked. Maya nodded and Paul leaned down to plant a soft kiss on her lips before saying, 

 

“I’ll be back.” 

 

“Okay,” she smiled sweetly up at him. When the men had disappeared behind a hidden door behind the bar, Janelle said, 

 

“Oh to be young and in love.” Maya laughed and conceded to that fact. She was done trying to hide her immense love of Paul Lahote. And Janelle was good company. 

 

Twenty minutes later with Paul and Clark still gone, Maya excused herself to the restroom. As she went to grab the door to the women’s room, a tall dark haired woman was exiting at the same time. Maya excused herself and they slipped past each other exchanging pleasantries. 

 

After Maya freshened up, reapplying her warm lipstick, she walked back toward her spot in the sunken seating area. Janelle was talking with someone who had taken Maya’s seat and when she got close enough, Janelle said, 

 

“Oh! There she is. Maya!” Janelle stood up and the woman who was in Maya’s chair stood slowly to turn and face her. It was the same woman she had passed when she went into the restroom, but she got a better look at her this time. “Maya, this Rachel. Rachel Black.” 

 

Rachel. The same Rachel from that text message she had accidentally read the night after Paul grabbed her from the club? Maya didn’t know why but as she reached out to take Rachel’s hand, her heart hammered in her chest and her mouth turned to ash. Maya’s mouth opened in surprise as Rachel put her warm hand in hers and shook in firmly and slowly. 

 

“Ah, so you’re Maya Sunriviere.” Rachel said. There was a glimmer of something Maya couldn’t quite place in her eye—was it jealousy? But how could Rachel be jealous of her? She was stunning. She was tall, taller than Maya, and had a strong lean frame. Her eyes were a pale auburn color that caught the light and her full mouth anchored her narrow face. She looked like the daughter of the chief, that was for sure. Her dark soft hair swept down around her shoulders elegantly and she exuded confidence. Maya tried to stand tall in her pumps, but it was hard not to feel small next to someone like Rachel. A soft smirk fell over Rachel’s face as she reclaimed Maya’s seat, causing her to sit across from her and Janelle. Maya couldn’t shake the feeling that she was the new kid to this world and she hoped Paul would come back soon. She belonged with Paul which meant she belonged in his world too, right?

 

“Isn’t she gorgeous?” Janelle gushed. “No wonder Paul has been so distracted.” Janelle laughed and Maya realized she was flush with alcohol. 

 

“Oh, she’s pretty distracting,” Rachel said cryptically and Maya tensed. All she could hear in her mind was the twinkling laughter on the other end of the line when she had called Paul one time during lunch. It felt like a lifetime ago. The owner of that laugh that had beckoned Paul in an all too familiar tone was here in the flesh and Maya didn’t know what to do. 

 

Suddenly, the waitress appeared, addressing Rachel first, “Miss Black, so good to see you again. What can I get you this evening?” Rachel beamed back and ordered a Manhattan. The waitress turned to Maya then, “And for you ma’am?” Maya opened her mouth to respond and then realized she didn’t know what she had been drinking all night. Paul had ordered for her. 

 

“Ah, I’ll have what she’s having,” Maya panicked and nodded toward Rachel who raised an eyebrow at her. 

 

The waitress nodded and left. Maya looked back to Janelle and Rachel, but Rachel quickly turned and engaged Janelle in conversation about something Maya clearly wasn’t versed in. When they got their drinks, Janelle took the reprieve from the conversation to properly introduce Rachel: 

 

“Rachel was just filling me in on a new shipment that came through from Australia. She’s a local art dealer in Seattle. Got all of our best pieces from her connections.” Janelle said. 

 

“Oh, very cool,” Maya said pleasantly. She was determined to have Rachel like her—she chalked that up to her mother’s need to please everyone connected to the council. But more than that, Maya just wanted to know what she was all about. “How did you get into art dealing?” 

 

Rachel leveled her with an intrigued stare as she swirled her drink around in her glass clasped in her long fingers. “I was recruited when I was in college. I studied art history, the professor liked my ideas and connected me with a colleague. The rest is history. Been in the business ever since.” Maya nodded, not sure what to say next. “I’d ask what you do, but Janelle said you’re fresh out of highschool.” Maya winced at that. “And I doubt there’s any worthwhile jobs back on the rez other than working at Clearwater Coffee. Is there?” Rachel’s tone was light, but Maya could pick up a subtle dig a mile away.

 

Maya smiled sweetly, taking a long drink from the Manhattan before saying, “God, how can you drink these? I thought these were always made for pale faces and wannabe Sex in the City girls, didn’t you?” Maya set the glass down and re-crossed her legs, sitting up straighter. 

 

“An inexperienced palette can take some time to pick up on the complexities of classic cocktail culture. But don’t worry, I’m sure you’ll get there someday,” Rachel shot back, her tone never changing from the light lilt that it held before. Maya watched her carefully. Janelle excused herself to the bathroom and wobbled on her feet as she went. Maya wasn’t sure if she picked up on the heated exchange happening between the two women. 

 

She definitely thought now that it must be jealousy that was plaguing Rachel. With Janelle gone, Rachel fully leaned in toward Maya. 

 

“I’m surprised it took so long for Paul to bring you around. You’re a cute little thing.” Rachel gestured toward her with her drink. Maya didn’t say anything. She realized she wasn’t going to win any favor with Rachel and now she just wanted to see how far the jealousy would draw her out. “I guess I shouldn’t be surprised though. It did seem like things were rocky between you two for a while.” Maya tensed again and Rachel noticed. A small smile playing on her lips. 

 

“You seem to be adjusting well to the imprint now though. Honestly, I can’t believe Paul even imprinted in the first place. He told me he didn’t even think it was real at first.” Rachel let out a short laugh and then corrected herself, “Only because I think for so long, he was trying to convince himself that he had imprinted on me.” Maya was completely frozen. She tried to keep her eyes soft and interested, but the hard line of her lip gave her away. “Oh, he didn’t tell you?” Rachel carried on, taking a swig of her drink, “We dated off and on since highschool. And then when I left for college, he stayed behind to be a part of Sam’s little pack. But when he struck out on his own and started making a name for himself, I helped him by sharing my clients and he thanked me by—.” 

 

“Rachel.” Paul's interjected in surprise. Maya hadn’t even heard him or Clark approaching, she was so tuned into Rachel’s little speech. So, they had been a thing...and from the look Rachel had been giving her, and the earnest familiarity she shared with Paul now as she stood and pulled him into a tight hug while exchanging hello’s, Maya assumed that their on-again, off-again relationship was more recently considered ‘on-again.’ 

 

“What are you doing here?” he asked genuinely, returning her hug and placing his hands on her upper arms to look at her.

 

Maya had to remind herself to soften her face into a smile as he glanced down at her, clearly amused with this new development in the night.

 

“Me?!” Rachel said, delighted. “This is my bar, if you forgot. Remember, I took you here the first time we met Sarah Willard for that show?” She said, her hand affectionately on his cheek, her eyes full of mirth. 

 

“Oh! That’s right,” Paul said, oblivious to the onslaught Maya had just faced and not minding the hand that rest there. “For the charity show. Right, right.” Paul released Rachel and turned to Maya now. “My, this is Rachel. Chief Black’s daughter.” He said simply. Maya nodded and unclenched the fist she hadn’t realized she’d been holding. 

 

“I know, we were just getting acquainted.” Maya smiled at Rachel now. Rachel turned to face her too, putting a hand on Paul’s shoulder and squeezing. Okaaaaay, Maya seethed. 

 

“Yes, we were,” Rachel confirmed. “You’ve got quite a catch.”

 

“Oh thanks,” Paul dismissed as he came to sit next to Maya. “You need another drink?” He looked at the Manhattan in front of her with confusion. Rachel had turned to greet Clark and pull him into a light hug.

 

“No thanks. I’ve had enough to drink for one night, I think,” Maya said calmly as Paul slipped his arm back around her. He smiled and turned back to the group. Janelle had finally reemerged from the bathroom and they all fell into conversation. Maya held her own, but every chance Rachel got, she pulled the conversation into a topic that Maya couldn’t contribute to, i.e. business or art dealing or galas. Maya would purse her lips and try to find a way back into the stream of conversation, but ultimately, it would take an aggressive topic change on someone else’s part.

 

Rachel was trying to show Maya who was in control in Seattle. As the night drew to a close, Janelle pulled Maya into a soft hug and said “Oh, we have to have you and Paul around for dinner soon. It was so wonderful meeting you.” Clark pulled her into a similar hug and agreed. 

 

“Absolutely, I’d love to. I’ll be around much more this summer with Paul so just let me know and we’ll make it happen.” When Maya stepped back to take Paul’s hand, she noticed he was off away from the group with Rachel. Her arms were crossed and she was laughing. Paul’s back was to Maya so she couldn’t tell if he was smiling or not, but the pulsing feeling in her stomach that settled into knots told her that Rachel wasn’t the only one who was jealous. “I’ll see you soon,” Maya said as a parting goodbye to Janelle and Clark. 

 

She strode over to Paul and looped her arm through his, grabbing his hand. “Are you ready?” She said gently. Paul smiled down at her and nodded. 

 

“Yeah, of course,” He looked back up at Rachel, “See you soon?” 

 

“You know it,” Rachel said, totally blasé

 

“Nice to meet you,” Maya said curtly as Paul steered her away. 

 

“Pleasure was all mine,” Rachel shot back. Maya internally rolled her eyes. Rachel was the kind of woman who always needed the last line it seemed. They walked back to the loft in relative silence, but Paul didn’t seem to be picking up on Maya’s obvious tension right away. Either he expected it and was blowing it off or the whiskey was clouding his connection. Maya assumed it was the latter. 

 

Back in the loft, Maya stared at Paul’s king sized bed and wondered if he had had Rachel here. She had never given much thought to the women Paul had most definitely been with before. Was that her jealousy or was that just because she had never been with anyone before him? Once again, Maya found herself feeling small compared to Paul. 

 

Maybe that was the problem. She felt too small-town for him when her whole life she had felt like she was destined for bigger things. But Paul had done bigger things and Rachel was the kind of woman who would easily complement that lifestyle. They were worldly and Maya was—what had Rachel said? ‘Fresh out of highschool.’ 

 

“You okay?” he said from his spot on the bed, taking off his shoes and unbuttoning his shirt. 

 

“Yeah!” Maya said too quickly. Paul stared at her a little too long and Maya, trying to play it cool, turned away from him and slipped out of her heels and unzipped the side of her dress. Before pulling the straps off, she turned toward him again. “I had no idea Rachel was Rachel Black.” 

 

Paul looked at her carefully, “Yeah, Chief Black’s daughter.” he confirmed for the second time that evening. 

 

“Right, right.” she nodded, turning away. But then, she spun around too quickly and without a second thought said in a high-pitched, teasing voice, “Did you guys ever date?” 

 

“Huh?” Paul said, clearly taken off guard. Maya narrowed her eyes trying to focus on the puzzled look he gave her. 

 

“You and Rachel? Did you guys used to date?” she repeated. 

 

“Uhhh,” Paul stalled and then, standing up he unbuttoned his pants and pulled them off, folding them and placing them over the chair next to the bed to give himself some extra time. With his back to her he said, “A long time ago. Highschool, I think.” before striding past her to the bathroom to brush his teeth. 

 

Maya quickly undressed and donned a baggy t-shirt and some shorts. 

 

“Why did she say something?” Paul said around a mouthful of foaming toothpaste. Maya wet her toothbrush and started to brush next to him, one arm wrapped protectively around her stomach. She shook her head, 

 

“She just seemed very familiar...with you,” Maya gave him a worried look and he rinsed his mouth, coming up smiling. 

 

“Oh, so you’re jealous?” He teased reaching out for her waist. Maya wiggled away and rinsed frantically before replying. 

 

“Of her?! That tribal goddess that literally glowed in the room with no light?! Her?!” Maya said sarcastically. Paul threw his head back and laughed, following close behind her as she scurried into the bedroom and vaulted into the bed. 

 

“You are jealous! Oh my god, that’s so cute.” He said, still laughing as he kneeled next to her and grabbed around her waist pulling her up toward him into a hug. Maya pretended to struggle against his broad frame as he kissed along her back. 

 

“Why is that cute?! Being jealous feels awful,” Maya said. 

 

“Tell me about it. It’s just nice that this time it happened to someone other than me. I get so tired of being jealous,” Paul said as he nibbled on her neck and moved up toward her ear. Maya giggled, turning her head. 

 

“You get jealous of a lot of girls you date?” she asked. For a fleeting moment, she imagined Paul getting jealous of men looking at Rachel and running to defend her. 

 

“Only when it comes to you,” he said, his hands slipping under her sleep shorts and gently cupping her. He dipped a finger into her easily and she let out a small exhale. Paul kissed her cheek and she could smell the warm scent of whiskey on his breath. There was no way she was getting the truth about Rachel out of him tonight. “Arms up,” he said and Maya obeyed. He easily pulled the loose shirt off of her. Why had she bothered getting dressed for bed? “Bend over, please,” he said low in her ear and Maya thrilled at the feeling between her legs at his request. 

 

She bent forward and with both his hands now he removed her shorts and positioned himself behind her. He placed his legs on either side of hers. “Keep them closed,” he said softly to her as she felt him rub the head of himself up and down the length of her fold. He dipped in and out of her slowly pulling small gasps from her. He steadied her by putting both his hands on either side waist before sliding her back onto him slowly. Maya let out a whimper as he buried himself in her and held her there for a moment. He leaned forward a little and wound his right arm around her chest to pull her up so her back was arched and he could press his mouth to her neck, shoulder, and the side of her face. 

 

“You are all I want. Forever. Do you understand?” he said gently. Maya squirmed her ass against his hips and she felt him throb inside of her. “Maya,” he chided and she smiled at her success. As much control as he wanted to have over her, Maya would always win in this area. “Tell me you understand.” he said firmly trying to control his breathing. Maya played along as his hand splayed on her stomach and his other gripped her breast, holding her in the arched position. 

 

“I understand,” Maya said in a low breathy voice. Paul, overwhelmingly pleased now, began to thrust into her and Maya let out soft cries of pleasure with each thrust. He held onto her tightly, rolling her nipple between his thumb and forefinger as he slid in and out of her. Maya felt her whole body pulse with want and she reached behind her to hold onto his hips as he eagerly pumped into her. The grunts and moans that escaped him as he moved in her sent Maya’s brain into overdrive. To be wanted, to be needed and loved by a man like Paul was more than she could ever ask for. Every touch was searing hot and every indent he pressed into her skin as he squeezed and gripped her left a lasting impression. She’d feel the weight of his hands on every inch of her body long after he would finish in her. He peppered kisses across the line of her shoulder before letting her go so that she could fully bend forward and he could place his hands on her ass as he took her from behind moving faster now.

 

Maya gripped the sheets in her fists as she tried to brace herself against his quick thrusts. He kept his legs tight on the outside of hers so that she couldn’t spread herself, causing the friction within her to become overwhelming all too quick and as she reached her end, tightening around him, she heard him moan her name. He was never far behind her when she came. She felt him give one final push and suddenly felt warm and full with him. 

 

He collapsed next to her and immediately tugged her body close to his despite the heat. Maya relaxed, breathless in his arms, as he pressed a kiss to the back of her head. 

 

“I love you,” he said between breaths.

 

“I love you too,” Maya replied easily, quickly, earnestly. 

 

“Say it again,” he sighed. Maya giggled and turned in his arms so that she could look at his face. 

 

“I love you with my whole heart, Paul Lahote,” Maya said. Paul gave her a silly grin and opened his mouth in a silent laugh. 

 

“I thought you were going to say...your whole ass,” he laughed now and Maya groaned. 

 

“You’re drunk, oh my god,” she said laughing. “How much whiskey did you have?” 

 

“That basement has...so much,” he confirmed. “I love you with my whole ass too, baby.” he said his eyes drooping in exhaustion. 

 

“Okay, time for bed.” she soothed. He hummed in consent and Maya covered him with the sheet before hurrying to the bathroom to clean up. When she came out, he was already gently snoring. Maya tried to stifle a laugh as she walked quietly over to his side of the bed where she picked up her shorts and shirt. She slipped back into her clothes and just as she was straightening the blanket over him, she saw his phone light up on the nightstand. Her eyes flickered over to it automatically and her heart squeezed in anticipation. 

 

She glanced back to Paul and saw that his eyes were still closed, deep in whiskey-induced sleep. Maya’s eyes were glued to the phone that had gone dark now and she volleyed between what to do. Curiosity won out too quickly though and her arm shot out of its own accord to grab his phone. He still left it unlocked and Maya fully opened the message, too bold in the dark to care if he realized the message reflected as read in the morning. 

 

She hoped it was Sam or Jeremy or Seth or Emily or anyone other than the name she was dreading. But disappointment washed over her quick. The message was from none other than Rachel Black. 

 

Rachel: Michael let me know you’re meeting the Tidems for a consult tomorrow afternoon. Meet me for a drink at the Charlotte bar after. I need to talk to you about something in private. 

 

Maya stared at the message for a long time and her finger itched to delete the message. Just as she was about to put the phone down another message came through from her. 

 

R: She’s cute.

 

Maya scoffed in annoyance and then clamped her mouth shut as she placed the phone face down on the nightstand. So, Rachel was going to play it that way? 

 

Maya looked down at Paul. The imprint in her panged and she walked around the bed to crawl in next to him. She curled into his side and he absently placed his arm over her. The imprint held him in place, but Maya wondered if it wasn’t there if she would be enough for him. Part of her wanted to believe that she was but when she closed her eyes, the towering beautiful figure of Rachel flashed in front of her and suddenly, she wasn’t so sure. 





Chapter 27: Turn your exes into hexes

Chapter Text

We’re broken until we’re not. We’re healed until we get into another scrape. And we’re upright until we get knocked down. But in my whole 19 years of life, I’ve never smelled earth as much as this. As I try to pull myself up, I find that I stumble and then we’re nose to ground again. Mistake after mistake, hit after hit. And soon the ground becomes my dearest friend. 

 





When Maya woke up the next morning, Paul was already up and putting on his clothes for the day. When he planned on having a day in his workshop, he donned some light wash, dusty jeans covered in wood stain and an equally stained t-shirt. When Maya leaned up to look at him, his back to her as he sat at the bottom edge of the bed and putting on his work boots, she glanced quickly toward the nightstand. His phone was gone which meant he had probably checked it this morning. Maya held her breath, her anxiety rising as she waited for him to turn around and look at her. 

 

“Hey,” she said quietly, sleep still thick in her voice. He finished tying his laces before standing and getting up to come over and sit next to her on the bed. He cupped her face in both of his hands and Maya felt her heartbeat spike. His eyes were warm, knowing and as he leaned down to kiss her, Maya arched her body up into him trying to fill the silence with her body’s response. When he pulled back from the kiss a little too soon, he watched her for a moment before a smile cracked across his face. 

 

“Good morning,” he said. Maya searched his eyes frantically. She seriously considered just owning up to checking his phone last night and seeing the message from Rachel now, but something in her made her pause. Paul held her face in his hands for a moment longer, his thumb stroking across her cheek as he looked at every inch of her face lovingly. She brought her hand up to wrap around his wrist and hold it tightly before he let her go and stood up. 

 

“I have to finish up some things in my workshop today and then I have a consult with the Tidems this afternoon. Do you think you could stay out of trouble until we leave for La Push tonight?” His back was to her now as he walked toward the bathroom. Maya was thrown—did he know? Was he playing it cool? Was he planning on seeing Rachel? She moved out from under the sheets to walk on her knees across the bed before coming to sit back on them with her feet tucked underneath her. 

 

“I always stay out of trouble,” Maya said tentatively, knowing even as she said it that the ache was clear in her voice. Paul laughed from within the bathroom as he rubbed some aftershave across his freshly shaven chin. Maya frowned instinctually. 

 

“You are the definition of trouble to me, Maya Sun,” he said warmly. When he walked toward her, Maya perked up and lifted up onto her knees to make it easier for him to lean down and reach her face. She suddenly felt the aching need to feel his touch and be reassured by his kiss that whatever he planned to do today, he’d tell her. He gave her an achingly sweet smile before leaning down and kissing her firmly on the mouth. Maya wrapped her arms up around him to push her body against him, her nipples pressing hard through her t-shirt. Paul gave a grunt before ending the kiss again too soon and pulled back to look at her, his hands placed firmly on her waist. 

 

“See what I mean? Trouble,” his eyes twinkled with unfulfilled mischief, “I really do need to get some stuff done today before we leave. And as much as I love your distractions and fucking you on my workbench, can you do me a huge favor and make yourself a little scarce today?” Maya’s stomach panged with anxiety at the request and the imprint willed him closer. His face turned into a grimace as he felt it too. He put a hand on her cheek reassuringly, “Please, My?” he said gently. 

 

She looked up at him now with concern, the text message from Rachel boring a hole in her head now. She took a deep breath and then nodded, replacing the worried look with a small smile. 

 

“Yeah, no sweat.” she confirmed as he dropped his hand. 

 

“Thank you,” he said, turning toward the staircase. 

 

“But Paul?” she interjected. He turned to meet her gaze, one foot down the stairs already, “Don’t think I’ve forgotten.” His face twitched in recognition of something Maya couldn’t place,  “We still have a lot to talk about.” she finished. His face fell in obvious relief and he nodded. 

 

“I know.” he said simply before descending the stairs. When he was gone and she heard his music switch on down in the open workshop space, she threw her body back onto the bed in a huff, trying to banish the gnawing feeling growing there. After a couple of moments fiddling with the hem of her shirt, Maya pulled herself out of bed and disappeared into the shower to try and wash away the aching feeling that wouldn’t leave her alone. 

 

She kissed Paul goodbye after he turned off his table saw and looked over her appreciatively. She wore dark ripped jeans and a cropped white top that tied at the shoulders. She pulled her hair up into a soft, flowing ponytail and finished with some simple white Keds. The ring glittered on her left hand even in the filtered light of the workshop. Paul placed his knuckle gently under her chin and pulled her in for another kiss, letting his lips hover over hers before he said, 

 

“Check in later when you can,” Maya grinned at the softer tone he was trying to take at the obvious need to know where she was. 

 

“Okay,” she said softly, looking up at him through her lashes. Part of her was hoping that he would crumble and take her instead, the need pulsing between her thighs all of the sudden. Paul swallowed hard, exercising outward restraint as he chuckled and brushed the tip of his nose against hers. 

 

“Okay. I love you. Thank you,” he said gently before stepping back and refitting the glove over his hand. 

 

“Love you too,” Maya returned before giving him a short wave and skipping toward the door, feeling Paul’s eyes follow her the whole way. 

 

Now out in the low light of the morning, Maya had no idea what to do with her time alone in the city. She looked back over her shoulder at the workshop behind the closed door now and let out a sight. Be careful what you wish for, I guess. She thought to herself. 

 

Maya spent the rest of the morning in downtown Seattle winding in and out of bookstores, coffee shops, and clothing boutiques. Paul called her just after 1 p.m. when she had stumbled into an Apple store and was playing around with the laptops. She knew she needed one before she left for college and had been getting by on her dad’s hand-me-down laptop he’d scored from work a long time ago. Maybe she could take up a job at Clearwater Coffee for the summer and save for stuff she needed for college. 

 

“Hey, babe.” she said with a tone of distraction in her voice as she thumbed through the features of a Macbook Pro. 

 

“Hey, where are you?” he said curiously, picking up on the tone in her voice. 

 

“I’m just looking at laptops. I’m going to need one for college eventually.” she said dismissively. 

 

“Do you have your black card with you?” he said easily. 

 

“Hmm?” Maya said, taken off guard. 

 

“Just put it on your card, My.” He said with an air of casualness that she still wasn’t used to. 

 

“Paul, I’m not putting a $3,000 laptop on your card.” Her voice was laced with baffled amusement. 

 

“Uhh, it’s not my card, it’s your card,” he countered. 

 

“A black card with my name on it that’s linked to your account. It may be my card but it’s your money. No. No way, Paul,” she said firmly. There was a long pause on the other end and Maya stepped back from the computer rolling her eyes before saying, “You’re going to buy me one anyway aren’t you?” 

 

“Yup,” he said quickly. Maya groaned. “So just make it easy on me and buy the one you want now.” 

 

“Jesus christ, Paul,” she said, thoroughly annoyed, giving the sales attendant a tight smile who was hovering near her now. 

 

“Ah, okay, so I’m heading out for that consult. I’ll bring some takeout home tonight because we fly out early tomorrow morning. Sound good?” 

 

“Okay, what time will you be back though?” Maya’s mind jumped to Rachel’s text message about the Charlotte bar. Was he going to meet her there after like she had asked? 

 

“I’m not sure. These consults can kind of go on and on if they have a lot of questions or specifications. I’ll be back by 7 at the latest.” He said. “Okay?” Maya was quiet, biting her lip and shifting from foot to foot. 

 

“Yeah, okay, see you then.” she said too quickly. 

 

“My?” he asked. Of course he could pick up on the anxiety in her voice quickly. She had to get better at that. 

 

“I’m okay,” she said too quickly again. She took a deep breath to bring herself down, “This sales guy is just trying to get my attention. He heard me say black card and now all hell’s broken loose. I’ll see you tonight!” she said easily before hanging up. “Fuck.” she said under her breath. Not as cool as she would have liked to play it. 

 

“Can I help you find something?” the sales attendant was at her side now and Maya pushed a smile onto her face. 

 

A few hours later, Maya found herself tucked into a corner of a coffee shop on her new laptop. Of her newly opened tabs on her browser, there was searching for dorm room ideas, accommodations for visitors to Columbia University, best spots to eat in NYC, and search after search for Charlotte bar in Seattle. 

 

Unfortunately, for Maya, nothing came up. After another fruitless search of local bars in the area that she thought might have some sort of inside joke regarding Charlotte’s Web or Charlotte from Sex in the City, she placed her forehead on her keyboard. 

 

Maya was getting increasingly anxious that he was meeting up with Rachel. Then, she had a stroke of genius—Michael. She reached for her phone and navigated to his number. Her finger hesitated over the call button as she weighed her options. If she called Michael, there was no way he wouldn’t tell Paul. And what if he wasn’t even meeting up with Rachel? Then he’d know that Maya had read his texts and didn’t come to him. 

 

Then again, he hadn’t been entirely forthcoming with much information before this. She had already blown her cover when she asked him about them dating after the whiskey bar and he’d been less than eager to elaborate. Maya bit her lip and then pressed call. After a few rings a chipper voice answered on the other end. 

 

“Miss Sunriviere, so nice to hear from you! What can I do for you?” Michael said professionally. Maya knew she’d have to gain his trust. 

 

“Oh my goodness, Michael, please. Call me Maya. I’m not that important,” Maya let out a soft laugh. 

 

“I beg to differ. Paul made it very clear how important you are. But if you prefer, I’ll call you Maya. What can I do for you Maya?” he said. 

 

“I’m supposed to be meeting Paul for dinner and I think he’s meeting someone at a “Charlotte” bar? I’m not sure, but I wanted to find a place close to where he was meeting them so that he could just walk over. Do you know where that bar would be?” Maya said with genuine curiosity, hoping it would sell her casual air. 

 

“Ahh, what bar is it?” he said. 

 

“I don’t know. He said it was the Charlotte bar?” Maya hesitated as silence rang through on the other end. Was he catching on? “I think he was meeting Rachel…” she said dismissively. 

 

“Oh! The Scarlet bar!” he said suddenly. 

 

“Yes!” Maya said pretending to have an epiphany. “Gosh, I knew I got that mixed up.” 

 

“Yeah, I’ll send you the directions for it. It shouldn’t be too far from the workshop. They usually grab drinks there when he’s in town,” Michael replied. Maya bristled at this. She wanted to ask for more details, but something in her stopped her. Her and Michael weren’t that close yet and if she wanted to keep this line of communication open, she’d need to play her cards right. 

 

“Thank you so much Michael, you’re such a help.” She said happily. 

 

“No problem!” he said before they disconnected. 

 

An address with directions attached popped up on her phone. Maya held her breath. Was she really going to do this? A part of her thought she should just text him now, get it over with, who cares if he knew she read his texts? He was the one who said he had nothing to hide anyway. 

 

But still, Maya was paralyzed. She packed up her laptop and navigated her way to the bar, hoping that Paul wouldn’t even be there. It had started to rain lightly as she made her way down the busy street toward the bar. When she reached it, she faced the big broad windows that faced the street and looked in. Out on the street amongst the bustling traffic, she wouldn’t be noticed if she went into the cozy, dimly lit bar. There were large sofas piled around the room, overflowing with smiling patrons. Her eyes skimmed the room and a feeling of relief washed through her when she didn’t spot Paul. 

 

Just as she was about to pull out her phone to text him and tell him that she loved him because she felt so silly, something caught her eye. A glittering bracelet flashed from a dimly lit corner of the bar pushed in the far back away from the front window. Maya squinted. She could make out the figure of Rachel on the couch, her feet tucked up underneath her, head resting against her hand that was propped up by her elbow. She was smiling her big broad grin at the person sitting next to her on the couch. 

 

Maya instantly recognized the broad shoulders and mop of pushed back dark hair. His back was to the window and they probably couldn’t even see her from their place in the back of the bar. Maya watched carefully from the window, careful to keep her body turned and her face mostly hidden as she peered in through the slowly fogging window. 

 

Paul was sitting next to Rachel on the couch but she was leaning in toward him. He had his body turned toward her on the couch but his legs were widely crossed so that she couldn’t make too much contact with him other than an incidental touch on the arm or the knee. Every once in a while, Rachel would laugh, or nod her head with an overwhelmingly beautiful smile. Maya didn’t know how long she stood there and watched them through the window but at one point she was drenched through by the light rain and decided to pull her phone out. She knew she couldn’t just stand there all night, at some point Paul would leave. 

 

She opened up a message to Paul and typed a quick message: 

 

M: Hey, where are you? Innocent enough, she thought. Then she turned back to the window and waited. Paul felt his phone vibrate immediately as he dug it out of his front pocket and looked at the screen. Maya held her breath. What if he didn’t answer? 

 

After a second, he stood up, clearly excusing himself and walked to the other side of the bar. Maya pressed her body up against the cement pillar that acted as a divider between the two wide windows in an attempt to conceal herself a little more. Once he was at the bar, he raised his two fingers to the bartender signaling for another drink and opened his phone. She didn’t know what he was doing, but he stared down at the screen for a long time. 

 

Then she saw him typing. She glanced down at her screen seeing the three little dots pop up. And then, 

 

Paul: I’m wrapping up with the Tidems consult. I’ll be back in an hour.

 

Maya stared down at the message and then watched as Paul grabbed his drink, turned away from the bar sipping it easily and made his way across the room to sit down next to Rachel again who immediately started up talking again. 

 

Maya couldn’t even believe what was happening. She had just watched the man she loved lie to her in real time. He wasn’t with the Tidems, he was with Rachel in this bar. And what’s more, he bought himself more time to spend time alone with her in this bar with that text. A sharp pain pulsed in Maya’s stomach and twisted into a tight knot. She was having trouble pulling in full breaths and realized soon enough that tears were staining her cheeks. But she wasn’t sad. Quite the opposite. Maya was furious. 

 

She glared at Rachel through the window, her heart hammering and clenching uncomfortably in her chest as she watched this woman, this gorgeous, strong successful woman, drop her hand casually on her boyfriend’s forearm. Paul moved his arm carefully aside to break the connection but it did nothing for the pain Maya felt radiating within her as she stared down at the text message that was a lie. 

 

At some point, Maya knew she would have to head back to the loft and decide whether to confront Paul or not. A part of Maya wanted to run as far away from this place as she could. She knew if she called Michael, he could book her flight back tonight but she didn’t trust him to be discreet. He’d sound the alarm and Paul would come after her. If Maya went anywhere, Paul would follow—she knew that. 

 

So it seemed like her only option was either to confront him or see this through. With the heat of her anger fresh in her veins, she was leaning toward confronting him. In fact, she thought about storming through the front door of the Scarlet bar, marching back to the couch where they sat and throwing a drink in Rachel’s face or Paul’s face or both. The fantasy was short lived though as the anger slowly began to ebb from her body. Anger was never sustainable. And instead, it was replaced by the crippling insecurity that Maya had felt since the moment she met Rachel. 

 

Once again, Maya felt that the imprint was the only thing calling the shots in this relationship. If it wasn’t for the imprint, Paul would probably be with Rachel and Maya would be happily single and heading to college in the fall without incident. But since she had been giving herself over to the weight of the imprint, letting herself fall deeper in love with Paul and let the feeling of their bond saturate the intensity of their relationship, things had become more real for her. That didn’t matter now though as Maya saw the obvious alternative in front of her. Whatever Paul tried to tell her, he was shackled by the imprint too. It made them want each other for no other reason than that they were spiritually bonded to one another. If that didn’t exist, neither would this relationship. This realization broke Maya’s heart because now her love went beyond the imprint and she felt lost in this well of new emotion. 

 

Maya was so caught up in the shock and pain of what had just happened that she didn’t see Rachel get up and move across to the bar. As Rachel grabbed her drink and turned back to walk over to the couch, her eyes scanned across the room and lingered for just a moment too long on the windows facing the street. She was caught. Rachel’s eyes rested on the rain drenched figure of Maya pressed up against the cement pillar, eyes red with tears. 

 

And as their gazes connected, Maya well and truly upset now, Rachel’s face pulled into a smug smile as she took a sip from her drink and resumed her path back to the couch. When she approached Paul, she ran her hand around his shoulders before she plopped back down. Then she leaned in, over his crossed legs as if he was going to tell him something and instead, dropped a hand over his knee that crept a little ways up his thigh. 

 

Maya was bound to burst if she stayed and so, with one final furious look in her direction, she turned on her heel and bolted down the street back toward Paul’s workshop. 

 

When she banged her way through the door, she quickly ran upstairs and let out a startling loud frustrated scream. Whoever this person was, Maya no longer recognized. Why?! Why would he lie? She screamed in her head as she peeled off her rain soaked clothes and made her way toward the bathroom. It made no sense for him to lie unless he was actually hiding something. But that just didn’t seem like Paul. 

 

Maya turned on the handle to warm up the shower and threw her phone on the bed. She wondered if Rachel had already told her that Maya had seen them and he was on his way home to explain. She really didn’t think she could hear whatever it was he had to say right now. As she let the warm water rinse over her and soothe her muscles, Maya tried to relax. Her anger came in waves, but she could never hold onto it for very long. 

 

She stayed in the shower a long time washing her hair multiple times and getting lost in thought of how to talk to Paul when he came home. By the time she stepped out of the shower, she heard the door shut downstairs. But her mind was made up. She wrapped a towel tightly around her body and combed her hair before stepping out into the bedroom, the massive amount of steam that she had built up in the bathroom billowed out around her. 

 

Paul was changing out of his rainy clothes, the takeout set on the bed. “Hey!” he said almost in relief. Maya watched him for a half second before she quirked her mouth up in a smile at him. 

 

“Hey!” she said sweetly. “Smells good. Chinese?” 

 

“Yeah, there’s a great place right down the way.” He said as he pulled on a clean shirt and strode over to her. He leaned down to plant a soft kiss to her lips. Maya returned the kiss but pulled away a little sooner than she normally would. Maybe Rachel didn’t tell him—interesting. “How was today?” he said, running a hand over her wet hair. Maya gave him another half smile and moved away from his grasp to put on some clothes. 

 

“Really good. Just went to some bookstores and coffee shops,” She pulled on her sleep shorts and a tank top without letting her towel fall. Something about being naked in front of him right now didn’t feel right. She hoped he wouldn’t notice. Maya quickly got onto the bed and started opening the containers. 

 

“How was the consultation?” She said in a disinterested voice. Paul was in the bathroom toweling off his wet hair and as he strode out to answer her, Maya couldn’t help but be overwhelmed by how gorgeous he looked. Even as she felt everything crumbling around her, she was still so in love with him and it scared the absolute shit out of her. 

 

Maya felt like she was dangling over a cliff for the first time with no choice but to drop. Before she would have willingly hurdled over the edge into the unknown, but now that she had so much waiting behind her on the cliffs, she didn’t feel like jumping. 

 

“It was good. I think we came to a good plan of what they want. It’s going to take months though,” he scoffed. He sat on the edge of the bed next to her picking a dumpling from the container and popping it into his mouth. 

 

“What are you even building for them?” Maya said confused. 

 

“Oh! I thought I told you,” he said suddenly. That was probably your other girlfriend, the voice in Maya’s head quipped angrily, “It’s a custom bar for their front room in mango wood. It’s going to be nuts.” Clear joy painted his face as he talked about something he loved to do and Maya felt herself warm to it involuntarily. Stupid imprint she thought bitterly. But the thought just made her feel worse. 

 

They finished their dinner and Maya jumped off the bed to brush her teeth before getting under the covers and turning her back toward Paul’s side of the bed. If she could just make it through tonight and get home tomorrow, then she’d have a moment to relax and really think things through. 

 

For now, though, she planned on letting this play out. She no longer felt like she could trust Paul and she knew she couldn’t trust Rachel as far as she could throw her. Maya felt truly alone in this moment. As Paul crawled into bed behind her and shimmied up to her back, Maya felt the pang of pain pull through her again. How was she going to do this? Paul wrapped an arm around her stomach and pulled her close to him. When Maya physically flinched, Paul startled and leaned up over her. 

 

“Are you okay?” he said concerned as he ran a hand down her arm. It was dark in the room so he couldn’t see her face but Maya kept her voice and face void of emotion as much as she was able to. 

 

“Yeah, my stomach just hurts a little,” she lied. 

 

“Oh,” he said softly. “Do you need me to get you anything?” 

 

“No, I’m fine, I’m just going to go to sleep,” she shimmied down deeper in the covers and Paul watched her for a moment before he leaned down and gently kissed her shoulder. 

 

“Okay,” he said as he laid next to her but still gave her enough space. Maya swallowed the choking sensation of a sob trying to claw its way up her throat. 

 




When they got back to La Push, Maya asked if he could drop her off at home. He agreed and when she kissed him goodbye, he wrapped a hand behind her head to hold her to him for a little bit longer. Maya pulled back before she felt herself starting to lose it and she could see the worry clear in his eyes. 

 

Fuck. 

 

“Maya,” Paul started. But it was too late. She had already turned out of his grip and had her bag slung over her shoulder as she ran up her driveway shouting 

 

“Love you!” 

 

Once behind her closed front door, Maya let out a long breath and tried to force the tears back behind her lids.

 

“My? Sweetie is that you?” She heard her mother call from the kitchen. 

 

“Yeah it’s me!” Maya called back but her voice betrayed her wobbling some in the release of emotion. Her mother didn’t quite pick up on it though and squealed as she came down the hall toward her. For a moment, Maya let herself relax completely into her mother’s embrace and willed life to be simple again. 

 

The next morning she woke up to a text from Paul. 

 

Paul: What time are you coming by today? 

 

Maya stared at the text message for far too long cuddled up in her bed. Her room at her parent’s house was mostly unchanged since she really didn’t take a lot of stuff with her when she moved into Paul’s house except clothes. 

 

While she hadn’t forgotten that she had moved into his place, she hoped he didn’t realize right away that most of her stuff filled his closet now. Maybe he thought she just went shopping a bit and was living equally between the spaces. 

 

She didn’t know how to answer his text, so instead, she lied...again. 

 

Maya: Can’t today. I’m meeting Keye for lunch and then we’re heading to Port Angeles to catch a movie later. 

 

Maya had no intention of leaving her bed today. She held her breath as she saw the little dots appear and disappear then appear again as Paul formulated a response. Finally, after far too long he replied: 

 

P: Okay, text me when you’re on your way to Port Angeles. 

M: Okay. 

 

Maya turned off her phone and rolled over to fall back asleep. When she woke up next it was late afternoon and she didn’t bother turning her phone back on. Instead, she took a too long shower, pulled on some old jeans and a paint covered t-shirt and walked down to her father’s tool shed that they had recently repaired. She pulled out some old painting supplies and hauled them back up to her room before setting to work in an old painting notebook. 

 

It was dark the next time Maya looked up. What was happening? Time kept slipping away as she found herself lost in reveries of her and Paul in their happiest moments. She’d find herself thinking back to moments where they’d had a particularly fulfilling release during sex where Maya saw their whole life laid out before them like a movie and then she’d have to stop herself. The pain of it would come crashing in on her and she wasn’t ready to confront that yet. 

 

Throughout the afternoon and evening, Rish has stopped in to drop off food and found it untouched each time she came to check on Maya. Around 10 p.m., Maya turned on her phone and was unsurprised to see the volley of texts from Paul waiting for her. 

 

P: Are you sure you don’t want to come over for just a little bit? 

P: What time is the movie? I can drive you. 

P: Maya, where are you? 

P: I know you’re not hanging out with Keye. Where are you? 

P: Maya please. This communication thing doesn’t work if you don’t answer me. 

 

Maya laughed out loud. What communication? She’d still never gotten to talk to him in Seattle. Did he think she’d just forgotten? 

 

“Bullshit.” Maya said as she read over the texts again. And then her phone lit up with an incoming call from Paul. She gave herself a sick exhausted smile in the mirror by her bed before she answered. 

 

“Hello?” she said calmly. 

 

“My!” She could hear the relief in his voice. “Fuck, baby where have you been I’ve been trying to reach you! You said you were going to a movie.” 

 

“Oh. Sorry, I lost track of time.” Not a lie. 

 

“Where are you?” He asked for the millionth time. 

 

“Uhh at home, where are you?” she said, turning back to her painting. She had filled half the notebook at this point. 

 

“Home. With all of your stuff,” he said matter-of-factly. Ah, so he did notice, she thought. When she didn’t answer, he continued, “Why didn’t you tell me that you were moving in?” He sounded somewhat happy about it with a tinge of worry. 

 

Why didn’t you tell me you were with Rachel doing fuck all? She spat back in her head. She cringed at the angry voice in her head. 

 

“Uhhh, I don’t know it was supposed to be a surprise I guess. So...surprise,” she said deflated. 

 

“My, what’s going on? What’s wrong?” His voice was turning from one of worry to one of irritation. 

 

“Nothing. I’m just in the middle of something. Can I call you back?” Maya stared at the painting in front of her that she had completed in almost a trance. 

 

“Don’t do this. Don’t act like this. Tell me what’s going on,” his frustration was building. Maya didn’t have the energy to talk about anything just then and instead she said quickly. 

 

“Paul, I’m just a little distracted. Let me call you back tomorrow, maybe.” she said as she pulled the phone away from her ear. 

 

“My!” she heard him yell before she disconnected the line. The imprint in her screamed and Maya doubled over in pain. Damned if she did, damned if she didn’t. What a sick unpoetic turn of events. 

 

Her phone lit up right away with another call from him, but she ignored it. She knew she shouldn’t and she really didn’t want to, but a part of her just needed space. Just for a little bit. Maya picked up the notebook and looked at her most recent painting. It was the wolf from her dreams and he was walking into the darkened woods away from her without a glance over his shoulder. Maya laid her head down on her desk and closed her eyes, not entirely tired but no longer wanting to be awake. 

 

The next day, Maya didn’t bother charging her phone to turn it back on. She decided that she would go over to Paul’s tomorrow with a clear plan of action to confront him. But everything in her felt like things were ending. She only found small reassurance in the face that the imprint wouldn’t let her end things, but still it wasn’t enough to pull the pain away. 

 

As she walked down the length of the side of her house to the trashcans to take out the trash for her mother, Maya heard a rustling to her left just beyond the trees. Her eyes tiredly scanned the treeline but she saw nothing hidden there that she could see. 

 

Maya spent the rest of the day with her parents, floating through the day in temporary moments of relief where her mother or father guided the conversation or talked about college with her. Before she went to bed, she plugged her phone in and braced herself for the onslaught of messages from Paul demanding that she come to him at once. 

 

But surprisingly, there were none. Maya raised her eyebrows in surprise at the obvious restraint. This was very unlike the Paul she knew, but then again, the Paul she thought she knew didn’t really exist after she found him in that bar with Rachel. 

 

When she woke up the next morning, Maya donned a pair of cotton shorts, a dark tank top, and a light knit cardigan. She pulled on her shoes and headed out of the front door, not bothering to brush her hair or wash her face. She just wanted to get this over with. 

 

She trudged the thirty minutes down the beach to his house, all the while flickers of movement bounced around just inside the treeline that skirted along and above the beach. Maya entered the house through the back door and when she slid it closed behind her, she heard Paul come crashing down the stairs. He looked disheveled, exhausted, and frantic. His face was hard stone and she could tell that while he was relieved she came, he was still annoyed with her. 

 

As he got closer, Maya felt the familiar uptick of her heartbeat in her chest and attributed that to the imprint response. 

 

“Sit.” he said firmly as he walked past her and started pacing in the kitchen. Maya crossed her arms and stayed standing. When he looked over at her he let out a hollow laugh and came to a stop. “Do you want to tell me what’s going on?” 

 

Maya just stared at him, allowing the numbness that the walk over afforded her to saturate her bones and keep her still. 

 

“You’re mad because we didn’t talk in Seattle? Then let’s talk,” he said. Maya’s eyes darted around his face, but her lips were turned in a frown. He didn’t know what he did to her. “My!” he said sharply crossing the room and lifting his hands to bring around her face. “Talk to me. What happened?!” His eyes searched her face but Maya clamped down around her pain. 

 

“Let go please,” she said, tugging at his hands on her face. 

 

“No! Not until you tell me what’s wrong,” he brought his face down to meet hers and stared seriously into her eyes. “Why did you lie to me the other day?” It wasn’t an accusation, it was just a genuine question. But Maya felt her resolve crumbling as her lower lip started to shake. Her brows knit in a firm line across her forehead as she said after a beat: 

 

“Fuck you.” her voice was venom. Paul’s eyes widened in shock as he leaned back. Tears were brimming in her eyes now but she was all spitting fire. It was now or never. 

 

“Start talking,” he said through clenched teeth, still not letting go of her face. Maya was boiling. 

 

“I said, fuck you!” she almost screamed. “You lied to me first you fucking dick!” she was yanking at his wrists now but his hands stayed in place until he chose to drop them. 

 

“What?!” he said, genuinely confused. “Maya what are you talking—” 

 

“I fucking saw you! In the Scarlet bar with Rachel! You lied to me first!” Maya was losing it. Tears were flowing freely down her face now and she felt her knees wobble underneath her. 

 

“Is that what this is about?” he said. Maya rolled her eyes and took a step toward him, pushing against his chest. He was as unmovable as stone. 

 

“I texted you and asked you where you were and you fucking lied. I watched you at the bar. You did it so easy too. You’re a fucking liar.” Maya could hardly see through her lashes now. “You know that she’s still into you right? She told me in that whiskey bar that you were seeing each other after you imprinted...that you didn’t believe it. That you wanted to imprint on her instead.” Her hands pounded against his chest to emphasize her words but they didn’t phase him. He was watching her steadily, his mouth agape as realization suddenly dawned on him. “You lied about that and you lied about being at the Scarlet bar with her. People don’t do that when they love someone. I….would never lie to you like that and you just….did it so easy to me,” Maya faltered for a moment, her sadness overwhelming her as she sobbed in front of him. He didn’t move to touch her yet. 

 

“So FUCK YOU!” The anger came roaring back. Maya didn’t feel right and she lunged toward him connecting her fists against his chest and arms as she shouted now, “You lying sack of shit. You liar. Liar. LIAR,” she gasped for breath and Paul finally caught her wrists in his hands. She tried to pull them out of his grasp to no avail and she crumbled at the realization that she would never be able to get away from him, even if she hated him, even if she never wanted to see him again, even if he did the unthinkable. This was it. “Let go of me!” she screamed. But he pulled her closer. Holding both of her wrists in one of his hands, he wrapped his arm around her and pulled her against him. She protested, yanking back but didn’t get very far and as the tears overtook her again, they both sank to the floor. 

 

She leaned into his chest and sobbed as he gently stroked her hair. How did it get to this? She wondered. 

 

After a long moment, he let her hands go and pulled her face up to look at him. He fixed her with an unreadable stare but the longer Maya looked at him the more she saw the pain and hurt fixed on his face. 

 

“You’re right,” he said softly. Maya sucked in a sharp breath, “I lied to you. I’m so sorry, Maya. I should have told you where I was. Before you, things with Rachel were complicated and when the imprint happened, I didn’t know how to handle it. None of that is your fault and I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have lied. But My,” his eyes traveled around her face and he pressed his forehead to hers. “There is no one else but you. Only you. I love you with my whole ass,” he stuttered. Maya choked out a laugh and was annoyed that he was able to still pull that sound from her. “I’m so sorry, My. I won’t ever do that again. I love you so much. Please,” he pleaded. 

 

“Why is this so fucking hard?” Maya said, her voice a tangled mess of pain. Paul grimaced and tugged her closer in response. 

 

“I don’t know.” 

 

“We’re not very good at this. You see that right?” Maya said seriously. 

 

“Don’t say that.” He shot back a little too forcefully. Maya leaned up and he dropped his hand from under her chin. “Don’t, Maya.” 

 

“Paul. All we’re good at is sex. That’s the only time I feel like...I stand a chance with you,” Maya hadn’t fully felt this realization before but now that it was out there, the pain of it washed over her. 

 

“No. That’s not fucking true. We’re so much more than that. Don’t diminish what we have because I fucked up.” he pleaded. His eyes were rimming red. Maya shook her head. “We’re very good at sex that’s true. But you’re my life now, Maya. That promise,” he motioned down to the ring still resting on her middle finger. She had never even thought to take it off. “It still means everything that I have planned for us, want for us. I want you. I want all of it.” Maya dropped her eyes to his chest, the tears falling freely and dampening his shirt. 

 

“My, look at me.” She brought her eyes up to his face. He cupped her cheek and stroked away the tear that fell there with his thumb. “Don’t give up on us now. Things were just getting good.” Maya let out a sob mingled with a laugh and nodded. The imprint beckoned her closer and she collapsed against his chest as he wrapped his arms tightly around her. 

 

In his arms she always felt safe, so why didn’t she feel relief in this moment with him? Why were things so hard? Why couldn’t they just be irrevocably in love like Sadie and Seth? What if the ancestors had made a mistake? Maya shook that thought away from her mind quickly. She was meant to be with Paul, that was true, but their path never seemed easy. 

 

“Come on,” he said, pulling her to her feet. “Let’s go to bed and if you feel like talking we can talk or whatever. Just let me make this right.” He leaned down and softly kissed the tip of her nose. Maya nodded, exhausted and when he pulled her into a tight hug, she rested her head on his shoulder. 

 

On the counter, his phone lit up with a new text and Maya tightened her grip around him as she squeezed her eyes shut. 



Chapter 28: Broken but not broke

Chapter Text

If you have any questions about this story or would like to see accompanying mood boards for each chapter, check it out on my tumblr page


 

I got lost in the woods one time when I was ten. I don’t know how it happened or how long I’d been gone for, but when it got dark, I became paralyzed with the thought that if I kept moving forward, I’d fall or worse, I’d be swallowed whole by the dark springy forest floor. Someone will surely find me. Someone must notice I’m gone, I remember thinking to myself. But darkness can trick you. When my dad found me, I wasn’t even that far from home and I’d only been gone a few hours. The flash light that burned through the dark led my way out. But my father’s hand was what kept me safe from the tricks that the dark continues to play on you even once you’ve been found. 






Maya and Paul spent the rest of the day in bed, in and out of sleep. Maya had never felt such exhaustion in her life. Her body was all at once thrilled and devastated to be near him. Betrayal will keep your body awake even if your mind is asleep. 

 

Once late afternoon hit, Paul put his forehead to hers, breaking Maya from a fitful sleep. She opened her eyes and peered into his. He gently stroked her cheek and said in his deep, kind voice. 

 

“We need to eat.” A statement of fact. She nodded but didn’t make a move. Everything felt thrown into disarray. “And then we’re going to talk. Okay?” 

 

Maya swallowed hard and nodded again with a short, “Okay.” It would have to happen sooner than later and Maya had no shortage of questions. 

 

Once downstairs, Maya sat on the kitchen table, her feet resting on the bench as she put her head in her hands and rubbed her face. She hoped she wouldn’t feel like this forever but everything in her caused her to feel unsteady. 

 

Paul started to work in the kitchen, pulling pans out of cupboards. He turned and looked at Maya, his face pulled into a painful frown. He moved to grab a glass and filled it with water before sitting it next to her. 

 

Maya was grateful for the lack of physical contact for the moment. She sipped the water slowly and watched the muscles move in Paul’s bare back as he started to cook. Maya didn’t even know where to start. As if he could hear her thoughts, Paul said, 

 

“Go ahead. Ask me anything you want.” There was hesitance in his voice and Maya wondered why. Let’s start there… 

 

“What are you so worried about? Talking is a normal thing in relationships. I thought you said you had nothing to hide?” The venom was already sprouting in her voice and Maya knew she’d have to work to keep herself calm. Neither of them could handle a repeat of this morning. The emotion ripped and tore at their bellies causing near unbearable pain. 

 

Paul started cutting chicken to saute in the pan for some simple lemon linguine. 

 

“I’m worried about saying something that is going to hurt you or cause more damage. I’m not this person who hasn’t made mistakes. I’ve made a lot. In my past, and even recently. Those things aren’t easy to talk about.” He paused cutting and turned to look at her, “Before you, I’ve never had many secrets. So when I said I had nothing to hide before, that was before everything really started with you and me.” 

 

Maya watched him, her eyes heavy with emotion. Paul threw the ingredients into a pan and started to cook. 

 

“When did you start taking over for Sam?” Maya took another sip of water. Paul let out a breath as if in relief. She wouldn’t let him off so easy though. 

 

“Around the time Luca, his second son, was born. So almost three years ago.” He dropped the pasta in a now boiling pot of water and seasoned the chicken in the pan with garlic before throwing some onions in there. 

 

“What do you do when you’re in command?” Paul continued assembling the meal, cutting bread to warm in the oven. The distraction seemed to help him. 

 

“I take care of everyone. I give commands when they’re needed. I run rounds and tell them where to go. I make sure that Jeremy and the others who are in school stay in school. We skirt the parameters looking for threats—the cold ones. I diffuse conflict between my brothers. Everything.”  He pulled bowls out of the cupboard now. 

 

“Do you like it?” Maya asked. He stopped for a minute and turned to look at her surprised. 

 

“I...I don’t know. No one’s ever asked me that before,” he replied, his face screwed up in concentration. After a moment, he turned back to the food, adding sundried tomatoes and spinach to the chicken and dishing pasta into the bowls. “I don’t want to do this forever. I know that. I love my brothers and I love protecting my tribe. Protecting you.” He paused as he felt the tension from Maya tighten. He placed the warm bread in the bowls and topped the pasta with the mixture before turning and bringing them to the table. He handed one to Maya who took it and set it in her lap. He stood back against the kitchen counter. “I want to be normal eventually. I want a life that doesn’t require constant defense.” 

 

Maya nodded. “And how do you get to that life?” She swirled some pasta around her fork and took a bite. She closed her eyes with relief. It tasted so good and she didn’t realize how hungry she’d been. Paul was watching her from across the kitchen, his stare fixing her with something bigger than desire. 

 

“You. I get that life with you.” He said firmly. Maya chewed and contemplated that. 

 

“So I’m your way out?” she said back. Paul shook his head, hurt. 

 

“No. You’re my way through. The light that I follow. That’s you.” Paul shut his eyes tight and then said, “I sound like a goddamn greeting card.” 

 

“Kind of,” Maya said, letting out a little laugh. His eyes darted to the sound and Maya had a flashback to the first time they started hanging out here, in this house together, alone, and how every sound she made he trained his eyes to. Memorizing her. 

 

“Ask me another.” He said, the weight in his voice clear. He took another bite of his pasta but kept his eyes on Maya who was picking at the bread in her bowl, taking small measured bites. 

 

Maya took a deep breath and looked down at her bowl before saying, “Why didn’t you tell me you were going to the Scarlet bar with Rachel?” 

 

Paul chewed, nodding and looked up at her before saying, “You already knew.” 

 

“Fuck you.” She said as a knee jerk reaction. Paul smirked and shook his head. 

 

“I didn’t tell you because I know how she is. And I know how she treated you at the whiskey bar. She’s had a harder time letting go than me.” 

 

“Doesn’t really seem like you’re letting her go to me,” Maya shot back. Paul looked at her, the irritation plain in his face. Maya had to remind herself to keep cool again. 

 

“I am. I did. Believe me.” 

 

“Why should I?” Maya replied quickly. His eyes shot to her again and he set his food down. 

 

“You have no reason to believe me, I get it. But I promise you nothing is going on. She’s a big reason as to why my business took off the way it did. Maintaining a good connection with her keeps me getting clients.” 

 

“Oh, bullshit,” Maya said with an annoyed laugh before taking another bite. “You don’t need her to get your work sold. You’ve got enough of a reputation to hold your own out there now. That’s not the reason.” 

 

Paul didn’t say anything for a while. Maya finished what she could of her food and hopped down off the kitchen table before washing it in the sink. She pulled open the fridge and grabbed herself a beer before walking out the back door to the patio for some air. She dropped down into the chair and faced the overlook. After a couple of minutes, Paul followed and sat down in a chair next to her, beer in hand. After a few more minutes, Maya asked without looking at him: 

 

“When was the last time you slept with her?” Her voice was strained as she tried to keep the emotion clear from her tone. It was hard though. She could see Paul watching her and was hoping that he wasn’t deciding to lie to her for her own good again. She pulled her eyes over to stare at him to show him she could handle it. 

 

“Less than a week after the imprint happened.” He said terse. Maya swallowed and took another swig of her drink nodding. 

 

“Great. Is that why the council was upset with us?” The look on Paul’s face confirmed it. “Do you still have feelings for her?” 

 

“No. I haven’t had feelings for Rachel in a long time. What we’ve had recently was more...recapturing a time that was simple...easy. Muscle memory. I haven’t wanted anyone but you since I started to spend more time with you and we got together.” She knew he was telling the truth. His voice was fierce. “I don’t want to be with her.” 

 

“Then why did you lie?” Maya said, annoyed. “Because lying to me seems like you do want to be with her. You chose her in that moment over me. You could have told me where you were. But you didn’t. Why?” 

 

Paul rubbed his forehead with his hand, “Maybe...maybe we are—” he stopped himself and Maya braced herself for the worst part, “Maybe I am fighting the imprint, I don’t know.” He paused again and then made a frustrated sound, “I don’t know how to explain why I lied. I think it’s just the fact that the imprint happened and then it felt as if everything was decided. I didn’t choose a lot of things in my life—my family, the pack—so when I chose Rachel a long time ago it gave me this sense of control in my life. And with you…” Paul looked at her, pain over his face, “I don’t have any control. I just feel compelled by the imprint sometimes and that makes me want to—” 

 

“Find a way to be the person you were before this,” Maya said, her eyes wide at the realization. “We are fighting this.” She breathed. 

 

“So you...?” Paul offered. 

 

“Yes..” she said simply, “I do the same thing. When I don’t feel in control or when I feel like it’s the imprint calling the shots, I just want to run from it. I want to be the person who had one thing to worry about before all of this—just me and my life. I didn’t know you felt that way too.” 

 

“It’s not even that I want to be someone without you, My. I just feel so out of control with you sometimes. I’m pretty sure if you told me to jump in front of a bus, I’d do it.” Maya could hear him releasing the tension he’d been holding onto. 

 

“I won’t tell you to do that,” she said softly with a hint of a smile in her voice. “So that’s it then, we don’t trust one another enough to completely give ourselves over to the imprint. And we’re chasing down versions of ourselves that we can’t be anymore.” Maya looked at him like she’d discovered some answer to the universe. Paul returned the look and nodded his head. 

 

“Okay.” It was the only thing she could think to say. “Then will you keep seeing her when you go to Seattle?” Paul scoffed and shook his head looking away. 

 

“I don’t know. Probably not. I’m not going to risk anything that would get in the way of us,” he said firmly. Maya looked at him curiously. 

 

“How is this going to work? Me trusting you in Seattle when I’m across the country at Columbia?” her voice piqued a little. Paul’s eyes widened at the mention of her leaving again but he kept his voice calm as he said. 

 

“I’ll do what I need to. I’ll come see you all the time. I’ll….” he paused and looked at her. “Give me your phone.” 

 

“What?” Maya asked, confused. 

 

“Can I see your phone for a minute?” Maya dug in her cardigan for it and tossed it across the table at him. He opened it and looked at her, “You took off your passcode?” 

 

Maya crossed her arms and scowled at him, “I have nothing to hide.” 

 

Paul laughed and nodded while fiddling with her phone. After a moment he slid it back across the table to her. 

 

“What did you do?” she asked looking at her phone. 

 

“I synced my location to your phone. You’ll always know where I am.” He leaned across the table and went into an app that pulled up a map. He zoomed in on their location and it showed two blue dots next to each other. Maya looked at it for a while and nodded. 

 

“I’m assuming you’ve had the location turned on on my phone since I got this new one then?” Paul looked caught for a moment and then shrugged before leaning back against his chair. Maya rolled her eyes and set her phone down. “Thanks.” she said annoyed. “What else do you use to track me?” 

 

“The pack.” Maya’s mind flickered back to the movement beyond the treeline that she kept noticing. Of course it was them. 

 

“Right.” She wasn’t surprised or even perturbed by that one. 

 

“Ask me more.” He uncrossed his arms and leaned forward to put his forearms on the table. Maya watched him, so many questions running through her mind, and decided on the worst one. 

 

“If the imprint wasn’t a thing, do you think we’d still be together? Even if we had found each other and tried...would you still have chosen me?” Maya’s breath hitched her throat. Paul watched her for a long time, his chest rising and falling as he contemplated his answer. Maya thought the silence would never end and that she’d die waiting for him to tell her no. Instead, he said, 

 

“I don’t know. Because we’re not in that situation. What I do know is that despite the imprint, I love you. I love you so much more than this weird fucking spooky bond. I love your smile and your laugh and the way you hold onto me when we’re around a group of new people. I love the way your hair smells after you’ve gotten back from a run or a walk. I love the way you watch me when you’re across the room and when you reach for my hand even if we’re just in the car. I love all of those things about you and I know all of those things would exist without the imprint too. So yes, I’d still choose you.” Paul said, his eyes wet with fat tears. Maya’s mouth had fallen open as she listened. “And you?” he said, his voice choked. 

 

“S-same,” she stuttered out. Paul started laughing, really belly laughing at that. And Maya couldn’t help but return the sound. The pain and anxiety ebbed a little as they did and she took another drink to settle herself before letting her eyes drift across the sunset. “There’s so much we still have to figure out, Paul.” Maya said somewhat defeated. 

 

“I know.” He said. 

 

“Why do you think it’s so hard for us? Seth and Sadie, Jared and Kim, even Sam and Emily who had a semi-rough start are so good with each other. They trusted each other and gave themselves over to the imprint, no problem.” Maya looked at him desperately. “Why can’t we do that?”

 

“I don’t know. It is different with them though. They fight with their imprints too. It’s not all sparkles and rainbows and shit, but we do seem to have it a little rougher than them. I know I want you though, I want this life with you, I want to take care of you and marry you and—” 

 

Maya didn’t hear the rest of his sentence. Did he just fucking say ‘marry you’?! Holy fuck. Okay, stay cool. But Maya felt like running despite herself. 

 

“My?” Paul said, confused. “You okay?” 

 

“Yeah, yeah, sorry. I just...was thinking.” she gave him a small smile and he raised an eyebrow at her, not convinced. But still, he let it go. 

 

“Any more questions?” He said gently. 

 

“Ah, not at this moment, your honor.” She joked. Paul laughed and downed the rest of his beer before standing and walking past her. Maya reached out to grab his hand. He stopped next to her as she gently pulled at his fingers. He didn’t say anything, letting her simmer in her silence before she looked up and said, “Can we take that bath now?” 

 

Paul smiled down at her softly and nodded. “Yeah, I’ll get it ready. Take your time.” He leaned down and kissed her forehead, squeezing her hand before walking back inside. Maya watched the sun set for a little bit longer before she headed inside. She let out a huff of breath and looked toward the bathroom door off of the kitchen where she heard the water running. There was nothing left to do except walk through the door and be with him. 

 

When she pushed open the door, he was bent over the tub lighting some candles. She suddenly felt like they were back at the beginning again and her shyness took over. She tugged at the sleeves of her cardigan and felt her heart rate pick up. He turned to face her. She gave him a small unsure smile and he reached for her. 

 

Maya placed her hands in his and he watched her waiting for her to speak. When she didn’t he said, “I can go upstairs if you need to be alone. We don’t have to—” 

 

“No...no I want you here.” She said taking a step closer to him. He gladly wrapped his arms down around her waist and Maya felt his warmth rush through her, quieting the tension of the imprint. 

 

“Okay. Just tell me what you need,” he said, planting a kiss to the top of her head. 

 

“I will,” she answered, placing her hands on his chest. She revelled in the feeling of him again, temporarily soothed by just his presence. The pain was still there though. Maya knew it would linger for a while. She turned her head up to look at him and then said softly. “Undress me.” Paul let his eyes rest on hers for a moment before he nodded gently, his hands moving to push her cardigan slowly off of her shoulders. He let his hands run softly down her bare arms, leaving a trail of goosebumps in his wake. When the cardigan dropped to the floor, his fingers slipped beneath the waistband of her cotton shorts and he leaned down to slowly pull them away from her hips. Once at her ankles, she stepped out slowly and he tossed them aside. As he stood up, he let his hands coast up her calves and over her thighs, grabbing the hem of her cotton shirt and pulling it up over her head as he stood straight. Maya never took her eyes off of him. 

 

He didn’t hurry her. When she nodded, he reached behind her and unsnapped her bra, pulling it gently off her shoulders, his fingertips whispers across the curve of her breasts. The trail of fire his fingertips left made Maya gasp. Paul gave a small smile and let his eyes roam her body, that hungry, pleasant look in his eye. But still, he didn’t touch her more than was absolutely necessary. Maya reached for him, placing her hands on his sides before pressing her naked body against him. She heard a low growl building in his throat but he let his hands rest gently on her lower back, exercising restraint. Maya had never felt this in control before. 

 

She turned her head up toward him and saw the fire burning there. She parted her lips slightly, letting her eyes roam over every part of his face. 

 

“Kiss me,” she said barely above a whisper. She barely had been able to finish the last word before his lips were on hers, rough at first and then softening. She tasted earth and warmth and let herself finally relax into the kiss. Everything washed away for a moment and Maya, naked and vulnerable in his arms, felt complete. Why couldn’t it always be like this? He swayed her gently from side to side as he slowly pulled from the kiss. 

 

When she pulled back she motioned to his pants and he slipped them off before stepping into the oversized tub. Even with his 6’4” frame, there was plenty of room for the both of them. Once he was reclined back against the tub, Maya gingerly stepped in, tying her hair up in a high bun in the process. Paul’s arms were open, his hands on her hips to guide her between his legs in case she slipped. Once she settled back onto his chest, the water and bubbles covering her to her shoulders she let out a soft sigh. Her head rested just under his left shoulder and he wrapped his arms down around to rest on her stomach. He gently moved his hand along her side as Maya closed her eyes, letting the exhaustion slip away. 

 

After what felt like a lifetime in the warm tub, Maya stirred, having drifted off a bit. Paul squeezed her hip and felt him pull her body up his a little so he could kiss her temple. 

 

“Mmm,” she replied and she felt a smile move across his face. “You said something outside earlier.” She said sleepily. 

 

“What was that?” he asked her. 

 

“You said you wanted to marry me.” She felt his body shift beneath her and then he ran a hand up her arm. Maya turned her face in to press her lips to his neck and waited for him to answer. 

 

“That’s the plan,” he said after a minute. Maya pressed another kiss to his neck. “Is that something you want?” She could tell he was trying to look at her, but her face was hidden in the crook of his neck. 

 

“Yes,” she said in a small voice. She heard his heartbeat pick up. “Eventually. We have a lot of stuff to work on before then but, yes.” 

 

“Then we’ll get there together,” he said solidly. Maya loved that about him. So sure even if the road ahead was going to be riddled with mistakes, he promised to get there together. 

 

Maya turned her head up to look at him and with her fingers under his chin to pull him down, she arched her body upward, connecting their lips in a soft, warm kiss. His broad hands gently squeezed her hip and waist and Maya deepened the kiss, opening her mouth to him. He pulled her tighter against his body and Maya set her other hand on the side of his neck. After another moment, they broke apart, Maya feeling dizzy from the kiss. She looked up into his eyes dreamily and he gave her a smile that sent shockwaves through her body. 

 

“So, you moved in, you want to marry me, what else?” He said, the happiness thick in his voice. Maya let out a laugh and rolled her eyes. 

 

“Oh god, I need to play harder to get. You're pleased as punch, aren’t you?” He shrugged and kissed the tip of her nose. 

 

“Just happy.” He said simply. 

 

“Good.” 

 

“Buuuuut,” he said suddenly and Maya groaned jokingly. 

 

“Here we go,” she rolled her eyes and when he pinched her but she gave a yelp and leaned up, turning her body so her chest was flush with his. “What is it?” 

 

“Janelle and Clark are throwing a small dinner with some close friends and they’d like us to come. It’s a good networking opportunity. I find my best clients through them but they’re also my friends so, if it’s not too much to ask I’d like us to go together.” Maya raised her eyebrows at him and then said. 

 

“Is Rachel going to be there?” The tension returned to his shoulders and Maya smoothed her hands across them. 

 

“I don’t know. But I can tell her not to come. Just say the word,” he said firmly. Maya smirked. 

 

“No. If she’s there then I’ll deal with it then.” He continued to watch her carefully, “I don’t want you to talk to her for a while though. Can you do that for me?” Maya looked at him with gentle, pleading eyes. She felt him squirm under her a little, the want growing from his hardening between her legs. The look had set him off. Maya moved her body a bit so that she was straddling him more and could feel him pressed against her lower lips. 

 

“I can do that. What else?” he asked. Maya moved her hips absently over him sliding herself along his length. He groaned and squeezed her hips. Maya looked up toward the ceiling and made a teasing sound. 

 

“I want a desk,” she said. 

 

“Done.” He said with a smile on his face. 

 

“Aaaand,” she bit her lower lip and watched as his face twitched with overwhelming desire. She continued to move her hips, gliding across him in the soapy water. Maya arched her hips up and let barely the tip of him slip inside of her before she pulled away and continued stroking along him. His mouth was open, his eyes burning. “I want us to go to the club with our friends and I want to dance with you.” 

 

He responded with a grunt as she moved the tip of him inside of her again, swirling her hips in a circle and sloshing the water before pulling out again. 

 

“And I think that’s it for now,” she said happily. He smiled, his hands gripped so tightly on her hips that she knew he might leave bruises. “Oh! One more thing. I want one of those fancy bed swings on the back deck so we can lay in it and drink wine and watch the sun set.” Maya felt like a kid in a candy store. Paul’s face turned into a giant smile. 

 

“Anything you want.” He confirmed. 

 

“What do you want?” she asked in a teasing tone, her eyes glittering with mischief. His eyes widened at her boldness and he opened his mouth to say something but thought better of it and said quietly, 

 

“You.” Maya leaned up and planted a soft kiss to his lips. “It’s getting late. You ready for bed?” he asked, lifting a finger to twirl a piece of hair that had escaped from her bun around his finger so it sprang into a tight curl. 

 

She nodded and pressed his lips to hers, pushing her hips against him tightly. She laughed into the kiss and he growled between her lips. She rolled her hips on top of him and he pulled away, his eyes desperate with desire. 

 

“You’re torturing me now.” He said in a low tone that made her shiver. 

 

“Must be so hard,” she teased. 

 

“Bed. Now.” he said before pressing his lips back to hers and she squealed. 

 

“I don’t know, I might be pretty tired,” she said, shifting over him again and pulling a low moan from his throat. 

 

“That’s okay, I’ll do all the work.” He lowered his mouth to bite at her shoulder and Maya let out a gasp as the pulsing sensation it pushed between her legs. “Stand up or I’m going to take you right here,” he growled. Maya splashed to a standing position and Paul hopped out of the tub. He picked her up, looping her legs around his midsection and pressed his lips to hers as he carried her out of the bathroom toward the stairs. Maya snaked her arm down between them as he walked and grabbed him, hard and thick in her hand. He let out a loud sound of pleasure and pitched forward, setting Maya on the stairs. Before she had a moment to realize where they were, he pushed inside of her, unable to make it the final few steps to the landing and into their bedroom. Maya threw her head back, one arm looped around his neck and gasped his name. 

 

Paul thrust into her, making sure to press all the way in until their hips connected before pulling nearly all the way out. His lips were on her neck, her jaw, her cheek as he moaned without restraint against her. Maya felt her body thrum with intense pleasure. 

 

“Fuck!” she breathed as he grabbed her ass and pressed his thumb to the top of her folds. 

 

“Look at me,” he said and Maya kept her eyes glued to his, her mouth open as he pulled gasps and moans from her. For all of their pain and heartache, Maya and Paul had an undeniable connection when it came to sex. They fit with each other and Maya knew there was no one else whenever he took her like this. He pushed into her faster, his thumb circling and pressing against her as Maya shuddered in release over him. He brought his mouth down to her ear, pounding into her roughly now as he neared his climax. But as he did so, he said in a low, commanding voice in her ear, 

 

“We belong together, My. You and me, just like this. Say it.” Maya nearly screamed with satisfaction. He pulled his face away so he could see her eyes while he came inside of her. “Say it.” He groaned. 

 

“I belong with you,” she said breathy and as if on cue, he gave one final push into her before filling her. 

 

“Fuck, My,” he breathed. She laughed and he smiled that achingly sweet smile before lowering his head to kiss her sweetly. 






Maya and Paul spent the next few days in and out of each other's company. Paul was thrilled to have her finally living with him fulltime and for the next few mornings they spent it tangled up on the couch or out on the deck, drinking coffee and talking about anything and everything. 

 

Maya asked him about his childhood and was somewhat unsurprised to find out that his father had left him when he was young and before that was incredibly abusive. His mother, devastated by the absence of her husband, all but disappeared from Paul’s life. He lived with aunts and uncles around the reservation and gained a reputation for being the first one in a fight and quick to anger. When he told her about the first time he phased, she reached across and smoothed a hand across his tightened brow. 

 

“I thought I was going to die. In some ways I did,” he said in a low voice. Maya leaned in across the porch bench, her legs laid across his lap, and kissed his cheek. He squeezed her thighs and gave her a relieved smile. “I don’t know if I’ve ever willingly told anyone that story before.” Maya smirked and nodded. 

 

“Thank you for telling me.” 

 

The night before they were meant to leave for Seattle again, he collapsed into bed around 2 a.m. after some late night rounds. Maya woke up and immediately shimmied closer to him. He wrapped his arms around her and planted a kiss to the top of her head. 

 

“How did it go?” she said sleepily. She made sure to ask him about rounds every night that he was out. And he had started to share more and more with her. 

 

“Fine. Nothing came up. Everything was clear.” He said quietly. Maya listened to him breathe for a moment before she opened her eyes groggily and looked at him in the low light. He was checking his email on his phone as he usually did when he came back from rounds. 

 

“Have you ever found anything?” she asked suddenly, still only half awake. 

 

“A few times. Not so much anymore since the Cullens moved away,” he said nonchalantly as he started to type a message out to Michael. 

 

“The Cullens?” she yawned. Paul shifted her in his arms so that she was laid more across his chest and he could loop his other arm around her more to access his phone easier. 

 

“Yeah, they were the resident vampires living in Forks for awhile. They’re a part of a secret treaty extended a long time ago to allow them to live within close proximity to La Push without getting mauled by us.” 

 

Maya leaned up now, her hand on her chest, confused. “Wait, there were vampires living in Forks and you guys knew about it? How does that work?” 

 

“Uh, they claimed to be different—vegetarians.” He let out a small laugh and rolled his eyes, “Meaning they only drink animal blood rather than human blood. The treaty allowed them to stay in the area as long as they never killed a human. Fucking wild actually, don’t know if I would have agreed to that way back then.” Maya’s face was utterly dumbstruck, “What? They’re not here anymore. They moved away like 5 or 6 years ago.” 

 

“5 or 6 years ago?!” Maya nearly shouted. 

 

“Jeez, relax, nothing would have happened to anyone on the rez. We were very careful. So careful that one of ours took off with them,” Paul said, a strange tone in his voice.

 

“Wait. Like a wolf? Or just someone from the rez?” Maya said, fully awake now. 

 

“Chief Black’s youngest, Jacob. I think he lives with them or near them. I’m not sure.” Paul said as he yawned. 

 

“What why?!” Maya asked. 

 

“He swore to protect them because this girl he liked fell in love with one of the Cullen’s and they turned her into a vampire.” Paul said it as if he was reading a tax form. 

 

“WHAT!” Maya’s eyes went wide. Paul’s eyes shot to hers for the first time, alarmed at the feeling she was giving off. 

 

“Maya calm down,” he said, stroking her arm. 

 

“But doesn’t that break the treaty if they turned her?!” Maya was appalled. How could they let this happen? 

 

“It’s a little more complicated. I’m not getting into it tonight. We have a flight to catch in like 5 hours so try to get some sleep.” 

 

“How could you guys let that happen, though? I don’t understand.” Maya said. 

 

“Maya please,” Paul groaned, setting his phone down. “I wasn’t in charge back then and also, that girl wanted to get turned. We couldn’t have stopped her if we tried. Sam didn’t want to spill a lot of blood over it, and he definitely didn’t want to have to kill Jacob or Leah or Seth over it either. So he let it go.” 

 

“SETH WAS PROTECTING THEM?!” Maya yelled. “Oh my fucking god.” 

 

“I’m about to drag you into the shower and douse you in cold water if you don’t cool off,” he said seriously. 

 

“Look who’s talking,” she said, smacking his chest. He narrowed his eyes at her and she collapsed back onto his chest in a huff. “So when you say you’ve seen a few since then…” Maya continued. 

 

Paul shut his phone off and rested an arm over his eyes, “Turns out that having vampires like the Cullens in the area tended to attract more vampires. And for a little while afterwards, they kept showing up, whether they knew them or not. But we haven’t had any cross our path in a long time.” He squeezed her shoulder and after a moment his breathing started to even out in obvious sleep. 

 

Maya stayed awake, eyes wide as she thought about the faceless girl who gave herself over to a coven of vampires and the missing member of the pack who chose to protect them over his tribe. 

 





“You look...insanely gorgeous,” Paul’s mouth was hanging open as Maya fastened some large gold hoops in her ears. She was wearing a simple black satin cocktail dress that hit her just above the knee with a dainty slit up the side. The front laid in soft swoops across her chest and tight around her hips. The back was completely open with three thin black strings connecting the dress—one across her mid back and two down her shoulders. 

 

“Thank you,” Maya said softly, a blush flooding her face. “It’s Valenciaga.” She looked down at her dress for a second and then back up at him. Paul fastened the buttons on his white shirt and threw on a casual forest green blazer over top to pair with his tan pants. He leaned over and kissed her gently letting his thumb linger across her cheek. 

 

Maya wasn’t necessarily nervous for the night at Janelle and Clark’s. There was a good chance that Rachel would be there but this week with Paul had shifted something in Maya. They had come to an agreement that they would both try to stop fighting the imprint when it compelled them. Maya suspected that she hadn’t been fighting it nearly as much as Paul had recently considering how fast her feelings for him had grown, but regardless, they promised one another to take this next step into trust together. 

 

It wouldn’t be without it’s trials though. Maya gripped Paul’s forearm and he snaked his other arm around her waist, gripping her hip as she leaned to the side slightly to don her black mesh Jimmy Choos. As she stood straight, the heels giving her a four inch height difference, she more easily leaned up to kiss Paul on the lips and he held her there softly. 

 

“You and me,” he said gently as he pulled away from the kiss, his forehead pressed to hers. 

 

“You and me,” she echoed. With one deep breath she nodded and he took her hand and led her down the stairs to the town car that would take them to Janelle and Clark’s for dinner. 

 

If Rachel was there, Maya was going to hold her own this time. Now confident in her direction with Paul and having dug deeper into their connection over the past few days, she felt more in control than she had before. When they pulled up to the gorgeous three story estate thirty minutes later, Maya couldn’t help but hold her breath in anticipation. With a reassuring squeeze to her thigh, Paul opened the car door and extended his hand to help her out of the backseat. 

 

He looped an arm down around her back and gently guided her forward across the cobblestone pathway to the lit of up house that glittered in the warm summer night. She could already hear laughter carrying on inside and somewhere around the side of the house. As they approached the door, Paul looked down at her. 

 

“Ready?” he asked. She moved closer into his hold and he gave a small smile. 

 

“Ready,” she said encouragingly. The door swung open, the light washing over them from within the bright and raucous home. 

 

“Paul and Maya are here!” Janelle cried over the shoulder of the maid who had opened the door to them. 

 

Maya broke into a bright, glittering smile and she felt Paul squeeze her waist as they crossed the threshold together. 

Chapter 29: Waking up to you

Chapter Text

The right time never presents itself conveniently. And more times than not, I find that the right moment when I know exactly what to say and exactly when to say it passes me by. I so desperately want to be the girl that has the comeback, that’s quick to the punchline and can walk away after they drop their verbal grenade. But I’m too easily taken by surprise. Too easily caught up in the moment, in eyes and mouth, in the breath caught in my throat turned dry and tight. When Keye came along, she was my back up. The one swift to action. Becks was the closer, and me? I was the tight lipped, anger just bubbling under the surface girl that tried to wind her way out of a situation where no one would be pleased. 

 





The inside of Janelle and Clark’s house was aglow with candles and warm lamplight. Not a single overhead light was turned on, which gave the home a cozy private speakeasy vibe. Paul gripped Maya’s hip possessively as they made their way down the wide hallway with sparkling tile to the low lit living room. Laughter could be heard beyond the french doors that led out onto a stone veranda. A stone staircase to the left led down to a sprawling, damp garden lush with weeping willows, roses, and large ferns. 

 

Maya had the distinct feeling that most of the eyes in the room were sweeping across her and Paul. 

 

“Evening,” Paul said politely to the raucous group of middle aged men and women sprawling across couches and clutching martini glasses. They were all clearly into their third or fourth drinks, their mouths open in laughter and as they nodded in joyous greeting. Their eyes scanned over Maya and Paul pulled her closer instinctually even though there was clearly no threat. 

 

“Should we get a drink?” Paul looked down at her. Maya looked up at him and smiled with a nod. Janelle had devolved into light hearted conversation with someone on one of the sunken couches and Paul led the way outside and down the stone steps to an outdoor bar. Maya scanned the lawn for any sign of Rachel automatically even though she promised herself she wouldn’t let her presence dictate the evening as much as possible. Paul leaned into the bar sliding his hand into Maya’s as he ordered them drinks. When he turned to look back at Maya she gave him a reassuring smile. 

 

“You okay?” he said, quirking an eyebrow. Immediately she slumped and rolled her eyes, almost annoyed to have been found out. 

 

“Fine,” she looked over his shoulder where the drinks were placed and reached around him to grab hers. It was a light gin with lavender syrup and a sprig of rosemary. It was delicious and her brows perked up in surprise as she took a sip. “Mmm! This is so good.” 

 

“I know. It’s like I know you,” he grinned and grabbed his whiskey before wrapping his arm around her waist and kissing the top of her head. He nodded over the top of her head toward a group of people chatting around a fire pit. “Come on, I want you to meet some people.” He steered her toward the group who welcomed her heartily. 

 

The group was a mix of young twenty somethings and rich Seattle middle-aged art enthusiasts. They all were excited to meet her and asked her genuine questions about her excitement to go to Columbia and study Engineering. Paul beamed down at her with admiration as he trailed his hand easily up and down her back as he talked with a woman named Serena in conversation about his latest work. As she conversed with this group of kind, eccentric people, Maya felt like she did fit into this life with Paul. Her pulse raced at this realization and she felt Paul’s hand stall on her back as he leaned over, midconversation with Serena, to kiss Maya’s temple. She smiled at him and he smiled back before continuing his tirad with Serena about the soaring cost of certain wood. 

 

The night progressed without much incident and to Maya’s delight, Rachel was nowhere to be seen. Paul made the rounds with Maya, introducing her to current and previous clients as well as some other craftsmen and artists he knew. When Janelle hustled them all into the grand dining room for dinner, Maya gratefully sat next to Paul who leaned in to whisper in her ear, “Are you having a good time?” 

 

She pulled back and smiled sweetly before nodding, “I am. These people are wonderful.” 

 

“Good,” Paul said, clearly elated. Janelle and Clark stood at the head of the table, poised to make a speech. 

 

“Excuse me! Just a moment of your time before we dig into this fabulous fare,” Janelle shouted over the collective bustle of conversation and laughter. People immediately quieted down and looked toward her. Paul draped his arm across the back of Maya’s chair. “Clark and I just wanted to think each and every one of you for joining us this evening. It’s not often that we get this many fantastic, creatives in a space and we are so thankful that you trusted us as your incredibly good looking hosts,” Laughter rang out down the table and Clark leaned in to kiss Janelle’s cheek. “To old faces and new,” Janelle nodded toward Maya who blushed but still felt grateful just to be here, “A votre sante!” she cried. Everyone raised their glasses in unison and took a swig. And with that, a flurry of wait staff were around the table delivering food. As Maya and Paul dug into the delicious lamb and vegetable medley on their plates, they talked to their nearest table mates. Maya was laughing over something Katrina, a short, plump blonde woman who was an art contractor for the Seattle Museum of Art had said about Janelle’s last party where the entertainment was fire dancers who accidentally set the low hanging ferns on the veranda on fire when she saw a flicker of gold catch her eye. Over Katrina’s shoulder and about eight seats down the grand table was Rachel. 

 

Maya’s eyes, trained to the sight of her now, caught her eye. Rachel gave her a knowing look before continuing to talk to the person in front of her. Maya swallowed hard and looked back to Serena who hadn’t noticed the temporary lapse in Maya’s concentration as she made eye contact with Rachel. Paul’s hand was on her thigh but she didn’t turn to meet his gaze just in case he would see the worry plainly in her eyes. 

 

She felt reassured in her place with Paul after their conversation and their clear attempt to lean into the imprint, but something about Rachel always set Maya ill at ease. Once the plates from dinner were cleared and dessert was set before them, Maya stood to excuse herself to the bathroom. She used the hand she placed on Paul’s shoulder to steady herself as she rose from the chair and he watched her go. 

 

As Maya walked back down the grand hall in search of the bathroom, she felt her heart race. Why was she so panicked? She believed Paul when he said he no longer had feelings for Rachel, but Maya couldn’t shake this undeniable feeling roiling in her stomach. 

 

She found a spare bathroom in the hallway closer to the front door and slipped inside. Maya stood before the large gilded mirror and took some deep breaths. So what? Rachel was here. Paul had said that was possibility and Maya had said she would deal with it. And here she was, not dealing with it. She had to get a hold of herself. But first, Maya tried to figure out the feeling that was plaguing her. The sick, roiling pain that twisted in her stomach and made her heart cinch every time she saw Rachel was a feeling she wasn’t familiar with before she had met Paul, but now after seeing her own eyes in the mirror, she knew what it was plain as day—jealousy. Maya was jealous of Rachel. 

 

Just the knowledge of knowing Rachel and Paul had slept together after he had imprinted made Maya feel sick and fiercely protective over her bond with him. Rachel had no right, no claim to him and yet, even after Paul knew what had happened once the imprint had occurred, he still slept with Rachel. Maya closed her eyes tight and turned toward the toilet feeling suddenly as if she was going to throw up. As she sank down next to the toilet, her phone buzzed in her bag. 

 

Maya opened it to see it was Keye. 

 

“Hello?” she answered, her voice thick with spit as she felt nauseous. 

 

“Woah, are you okay? You sound like you’re about to vom,” Keye said aptly. 

 

“Rachel’s here at this dinner party I’m at with Paul and I just...I can’t fucking handle it. I don’t know why,” Maya admitted freely. Before, Maya may have played her feelings more close to the chest, but right now in this moment where she felt entirely helpless, she didn’t feel like holding back. 

 

“Ugh. I’m so sorry My. I know this is no consolation whatsoever, but she seriously means nothing in the broad scheme of things.” Again, Keye said this all very simply. Maya let that sink in and when she didn’t speak, Keye continued, “You know she’s just jealous right? Jealous of the imprint? Jealous of you? This weird game she’s playing is just her way of digging the knife in a little longer, but My….you’ve already won, so you have nothing to worry about.”

 

“I know, I just—”

 

“No My. No ‘I just blah blah blah’. I know I haven’t been entirely supportive of this weird ass relationship from the beginning because it honestly creeped me out. But the more I see you with Paul, the more I see what everyone else sees. You guys just...fit. He moves, you move. It’s wild ot watch, but Maya, if you saw what I saw, you wouldn’t give two shits about whatever Rachel thinks she has with Paul. There is no way that that boy feels any other ways about you than everlasting, heart stopping, jaw dropping, eternal fucking love for you. And that’s coming from a cynic.” 

 

Maya laughed, the nausea washing away from her as she listened to Keye. 

 

“Thanks Keye.”

 

“You’re welcome. Now go out there and prove that shit to yourself.” 

 

“Okay,” she breathed. “Oh wait, fuck why are you calling?” 

 

“Oh, I was calling because you know that lost pack member Paul was telling you about? He’s in town!” 

 

“Oh shit! Have you met him yet?” Maya asked, getting up and scrunching up her dress and pulling down her underwear to pee. 

 

“Not yet. Sounds like an absolute melon if you ask me. But Becks is curious, so we’re going to go to Emily’s for dinner this Thursday. Will you and Paul be back by then?” 

 

“Yeah, we’re flying back tomorrow afternoon. I’m sure we’ll be there,” Maya said, cleaning herself up and washing her hands in the sink. 

 

“Okay. Text me when you’re home. I still need to come over and see where you live now. So weird that you’re not with your parents anymore.”

 

“Tell me about it. I’ll text you. Love you.”

 

“Love you too babe.” Keye said affectionately before disconnecting. With one last look at herself, Maya, bolstered with the talk Keye had given her, left the bathroom and headed back to the dining room. Paul’s seat was empty, his dessert half eaten. Maya instinctively looked down the table where Rachel had been and noticed she was absent as well. Her heart hammered in her chest, but as she reminded herself of who she and Paul were and who Keye knew them to be, she stalked off to find them. 

 

Maya beelined it for the garden, letting her impulse lead the way. As she crossed the grass into the back area, her eyes scanning for any sign of them, she heard muffled laughter in the trees and a hushed voice. Maya drew closer, steeling herself for what she might see. Even with the understanding that Paul was hers without question, her mind went wild with scenarios of finding them tied up together in a dark part of the garden, their lips smashed together in a heated exchange. As Maya rounded a tree she was met with two people from the party, clearly very drunk and wrapped around one another giggling. Maya slipped away somehow unnoticed and continued down past a thicket of trees into an opening that revealed a sprawling patch of grass and a small pond at the bottom. 

 

Two dark figures stood next to the pond under a tree. Maya felt her throat get tight as she immediately recognized Paul’s broad frame towering over Rachel’s who was standing with her hands tucked behind her back, chest pushed up and leaning forward. Maya made her way down the grass, not even trying to hide her presence and Paul noticed her almost immediately as she came out from the dark trees. 

 

“Maya!” Paul said, his eyes somewhat frantic with a hint of anger. Maya worked to keep her face calm—she wasn’t going to let Rachel get a rise out of her. “This is honestly not what it looks like.” He said firmly. 

 

“I know.” Maya said, coming to a stop next to him and threading her hand into his. He looked relieved and Maya turned to Rachel who was smirking, drunk and wavering on the spot. “Rachel,” she started but Rachel rolled her eyes and let out a groan. 

 

“Oh jesus, back to highschool. What is it little bird?” Rachel mocked. Maya’s mouth hung open slightly as she was taken off guard but she shifted to the other foot, closer to Paul’s side and gave her a soft look. 

 

“I just wanted to say that...I’m sorry,” Maya said genuinely. 

 

“What?!” Rachel said with a laugh. 

 

“Yeah, what?” Paul said confused. 

 

“I’m sorry that things didn’t work out the way you planned with Paul. Neither of us planned for the imprint to happen, but it did. And as a Quileute woman yourself, I know you understand the need to respect that bond not just for us, but for the tribe.” Maya said calmly. She was watching as Rachel swayed in front of her, a sneer rolling over her face and then a look of shocking calm wash over it. “I’m sorry, but Paul is never going to pursue something with you and while I respect that you two are close, I hope that you give me the same courtesy and respect that my relationship deserves that I give your continued relationship.” 

 

“I—” Rachel said before rolling into stunned silence. 

 

“Rachel.” Maya said a little more firmly, “I need to know you understand.” Her eyes were strong with a fire flickering underneath. After another moment of swaying, Rachel gave a nod. 

 

“I understand,” she said somewhat sad and annoyed, and then the swaying became dangerous and she lost her balance. Both Maya and Paul lunged for her so she didn’t fall into the small pond. Maya grabbed her arm and Paul slipped somewhat behind her to brace her back with his hand. 

 

“Jesus, Rachel,” Paul said tired. 

 

“We should make sure she gets home. She’s toast,” Maya said under her breath. Paul nodded and scooped Rachel up under her legs. Rachel laughed in triumph. 

 

“See, he does like me!” she said to no one in particular. Maya rolled her eyes as she followed them and then she heard Rachel’s quiet, slurred follow up, “Just kidding,” before her eyes fluttered closed. 

 

Once safely tucked in the back of a town car, Maya crossed her arms and watched the car pull down the drive and out of sight. Paul turned to her with his hands in his pockets. His eyes were difficult to read in the darkness but Maya thought there was a look of curiosity in them. 

 

“What?” Maya said. 

 

“Nothing you just...Well, back there you sounded like—” he began. 

 

“What? I sounded like some stranger?” Maya gibed. 

 

“No you sounded like me,” he laughed. Maya slapped his chest and he took his hands out of his pockets to wrap her up in his arms. 

 

“Oh please, don’t be so full of yourself,” Maya said, smiling up at him. 

 

“No, you did. Especially the part where you were all ‘Tell me you understand.’ That’s Lahote language right there,” he teased, swaying her in his arms. Maya hummed appreciatively and he leaned down to press a kiss to her lips. “I love you.” He said softly, dusting his nose across hers. 

 

“I love you too,” she replied, her eyes full of want. 

 

“Can we kick off from this place? I’d really like to get you out of that dress now,” he said in her ear and Maya shivered. 

 

When their car pulled around and they slid into the backseat, Paul leaned over to kiss her neck and Maya let out a gasp. His hand slid between her thighs, gently pushing them apart. 

 

“Paul we’re in car,” Maya’s eyes flickered to the thin tinted glass partition between them and the driver of the town car. 

 

“So?” he breathed as he traced his lips down her shoulder removing the thin strap. Maya closed her eyes at the sensation. 

 

“While I’m totally convinced you can get me out of this dress in the back of this car, I am not sure I’ll be able to get it back on once we’re done,” Maya said before letting out a laugh. 

 

“I don’t see the problem,” Paul muttered letting one finger slide against her slit as she gasped. 

 

“The problem,” Maya said before letting out a moan and receiving a gentle nip to her neck, “Is that while you seeing me naked is a given, I’m not sure I want the driver to see me naked.” 

 

“This all seems like a future us problem.” He said as he deftly slid two fingers inside of her, using his thumb to rub at her nub. Maya let out another moan, louder this time and she felt Paul’s mouth stretch into a smile, “Plus, I’m pretty sure he has a good idea of what we’re doing back here. You’re not a quiet fuck.” He slid his fingers in and out of her and she threw her head back against the seat trying to stifle her moans. Paul grinned at her and Maya, burning red, laughed. 

 

His other hand wound around to her side, unzipping the dress. He pulled his fingers out so that he could yank the dress hungrily off of her body. Maya’s breasts were illuminated every so often as they passing lamplight from the street splashed light across them. His hands were on her again, coaxing more from her center as she let herself moan freely. When he ripped the lace holding her panties around her hips, Maya gasped. His eyes were fire and he grabbed her roughly around the waist to pull her on top of him. He unzipped his pants and pulled himself out and Maya sank happily down onto him. Something about him being fully clothed and Maya being completely naked on top of him sent her reeling. He lowered his head to suck her taut nipple into his mouth, letting his teeth gently nibble at it sending shockwaves down her body. 

 

Maya bounced quickly on top of him, his hands on her ass helping to move her quickly up and down his length. Maya wound her arms around his neck and pulled Paul’s face to hers. They rested their foreheads against one another, panting and thrusting in unison as Maya cried out. 

 

“You’re so fucking beautiful, My,” he moaned and Maya let out a loud moan in recognition as she threw her head back pushing her chest toward his face. Paul’s grunts began to increase as she felt him start to twitch inside of her and with one final, “Fuck!” he exploded inside of her. Maya let out a sigh of release and slammed down onto him, her body responding to his orgasm. She collapsed forward onto his chest, completely limp and he wrapped his hands around her back as they both caught their breath. 

 

“Fuck,” he whispered after a minute. Maya giggled and leaned back to look at him, her eyes half lidded in exhaustion that only came after they had a relentless release with one another. 

 

“You realize the minute you pull out of me, there’s going to be a huge mess back here right?” Maya looked around the car and Paul let out a hearty laugh. She felt him harden inside her again and she rotated her hips with a little moan in response. 

 

“Fuck,” he said again putting a hand to his forehead. 

 

“Yeah,” Maya said. Paul started to unbutton his shirt and Maya raised her eyebrow at him. 

 

“Well, you said there was no way you’re getting back in that dress, so you can wear this.” He shrugged off his shirt and slipped back into his blazer. Maya looked at him, mouth open and let out an incredulous laugh. She threaded her arms through his shirt which she swam in and buttoned it up. 

 

“And this?” she gestured down to their hips and Paul looked down at  them pushing his hips forward a bit. 

 

“Uhhh, yeah I got nothing for that.” He said with an aggravating grin. 

 

When the car pulled to a stop then next to Paul’s studio, Maya’s eyes went wide. “My, I’m sure this dude has seen it all. Me fucking my hot girlfriend in the back is probably the most tame thing he’s seen.” Paul tried to reassure her. “Come on,” Paul nodded toward their hips again and Maya squealed with anxiety. The passenger door opened to her left and Maya looked at wide eyed, still perched on his lap with him very much still inside of her. 

 

“Shit,” she whispered. “Okay.” She quickly swung her leg off of him and he pulled out quickly. As he fastened his pants, Maya grabbed her dress and stumbled out of the back holding the back of his shirt down over her ass. The driver gave her one look and then averted his eyes. 

 

Maya went wide eyed and darted toward the door as Paul chuckled, “Thanks Gene.” he said casually. Maya looked over her shoulder seeing Paul hand him a bill before she pushed open the door and darted through and up the stairs as he dripped out of her. 

 





Maya drifted in and out of a lazy haze in the oversized bathtub at her and Paul’s house. It had been a particularly rainy few days since they got home and Maya and spent most of it reading, napping, making love with Paul, and browsing the course catalogue for her first semester. Now, in the warm water of the bath, with the rain smattering against the long window that spanned across the wall, only revealing just the top of the bathtub so she could look out over the backyard and into the ocean, Maya sunk into the serene feeling that her life gave her at this moment. 

 

When they had returned home, Maya and Paul had worked on falling into step with one another and when they allowed the imprint to guide them, that compelling feeling that drew them together, made them want each other, they found things came a little bit easier. They weren’t perfect, but Paul was trying harder to clue Maya in on the pack’s whereabouts when he went out on rounds and had even talked to her more about the lost member—Jacob. He was indeed back in town and had been hanging around Emily’s. Paul said he had looked worse but something felt off with him. 

 

Jacob was technically not a part of Sam’s pack having split off into his own one man pack when he protected the girl and the vampire coven. Seth and Leah had temporarily joined him but when he decided to leave La Push to stay with the Cullen’s, he’d ordered them to stay behind with Sam’s pack. Leah hadn’t really abided by that order according to Paul and had skipped off across the country in search of something else. She’d popped back into La Push a few times, but for the most part, she played the lone wolf card, seeking freedom. 

 

Maya was temporarily roused by a quiet knock to the bathroom door and as it slowly opened, she looked over her shoulder at the man who infiltrated her dreams. 

 

“Hey,” he said with a soft smile. 

 

“Hi,” Maya said sleepily. Paul was holding his phone in his hand and looking down at it. 

 

“I’m heading out on rounds, do you need anything before I go?” He said pocketing his phone and kneeling next to the tub. Maya sloshed over to him and kissed his lips roughly before pulling away, her hand running across the stubble of his chin. 

 

“No, I’m okay.” she replied quietly. 

 

“Okay. Is Keye still coming by tonight?” 

 

“Yessss,” Maya replied happily. They were planning a girls night in filled with pizza and popcorn and cake. Paul kissed her again running his hand down the side of her face. 

 

“Text me if you need me,” he said softly. 

 

“I always need you,” Maya teased biting her lower lip. Paul gave her a warm look and kissed her forehead before standing and leaving. Maya sunk back into her bath and watched the clouds roll by. 






Chapter 30: The type of imprint that would

Chapter Text

People can surprise you. I love being surprised by the look on people’s faces when they stare at someone they love. That’s my favorite shape that changes someone's face. Love can look so different from face to face, but the adoration is clear. We can recognize it anywhere. But people surprise me the most when they start as complete strangers and I immediately see recognition in their face. It’s only happened a couple of times to me in my life. Paul had that look when he imprinted on me. Becks had it when we first met in the second grade. It’s reassuring and frightening. But I’ve come to love that look. Almost as much as I love the look of love coloring someone’s face.  




“NO! NO FUCKING WAY!” Keye shouted, “There’s no fucking way that’s the same GIRL!” 

 

They were sitting on the floor in front of the couch in the living room. The coffee table Paul had hand carved was pushed off to the side. Maya had set up the floor in front of the couch in true slumber party fashion: sleeping pads from Paul’s camping supplies were laid out and covered with fluffy blankets and pillows, a variety of snacks including chips, red vines, Maya’s favorite peanut butter M&Ms and popcorn. They were drinking directly from a chilled bottle of wine and sharing a lone lunchable—”Keeping it classy” Keye had said. 

 

“I’m telling you it is,” Maya said, shaking her head and taking another swig from the bottle of wine. “Look it up. It’s her!” 

 

Keye was already feverishly typing on her phone and they didn’t speak for a moment while Keye frantically read. 

 

“OH MY FUCKING GOD!” 

 

“I told you!” Maya yelled triumphant. 

 

“Evan Rachel Wood who had her breakthrough debut in the movie Thirteen played Kylie Owens in Practical Magic, a fantasy film directed by Griffin Dunne starring Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman. Fuck me,” Keye tossed aside her phone as Maya giggled. 

 

“It’s the red hair. It throws you off,” Maya said. Keye had a hand to her forehead and was chewing on a red vine like her life depended on it. 

 

“I’ve seen this fucking movie like thirty times and I can’t believe I didn’t know,” she said. After a beat, Keye looked over at Maya in confusion, “Do you think that this shit is possible?” 

 

Maya scooped a handful of popcorn and was bringing her mouth down to eat it out of her hand. “Huh?” she said, mouth full. 

 

“Witches and warlocks and shit. Do you think this stuff is possible if the cold ones and the wolves are possible?” Keye said curiously. Maya hesitated at that. It wasn’t impossible. Especially if those two supernatural things were true. 

 

“I mean…” Maya faltered now a little knocked out of her current reality. “Is this your way of trying to tell me something?” Maya joked. 

 

“Come on, if anyone was a fucking witch it would be Becks,” Keye shot back instantly. 

 

“So true,” Maya conceded. “She’s tricky…..speaking of. Where has she been lately?” Maya had been noticing lately that Becks was more or less absent from their group text recently. 

 

Keye hesitated before she sighed and said, “I don’t know My, she’s been kind of distant lately. But I don’t think it’s intentional. Plus you haven’t really been around that much.” 

 

“Ouch,” Maya replied, turning to look at her incredulously. 

 

“Truth hurts babe.” Keye shrugged. 

 

“I’ve been in Seattle off and on this summer and all this shit with Paul left my head spinning since graduation but...I’m here.” Maya said firmly. 

 

“I know. I’m just saying, just because Becks seems a little distant doesn’t mean you haven’t done the same,” Keye shrugged again. She wasn’t saying it to hurt Maya, but more so making a point about where they were at in their lives at the moment. 

 

“Well then, fine. Let’s call her and see what she’s up to,” Maya grabbed her phone and scrolled to Becks in her texts. It'd been almost two weeks since they last spoke and it was something about Paul. God, had she been a bad friend? Maya bit her lip as she pressed dial and put the phone to her ear. When she got her voicemail, Maya pressed end and looked to Keye. 

 

“She might be working,” Keye said, her eyes glued to the movie again. “Damn those are real ones,” Keye said in awe as Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman buried Jimmy in the garden. “You’d help me bury a body, right?” Keye asked. 

 

Maya laughed and took another drink of wine, “Of course. And an airtight alibi and enough money to start you a new life.” 

 

“Nice,” Keye breathed, wide eyed at the movie. 

 

“What do you mean Becks has a job?” Maya continued leaning forward to grab the M&Ms. Keye was crunching on some chips now. 

 

“She got a job at Clearwater Coffee like right after graduation to help save some extra cash for college.” Keye said nonchalantly. 

 

Maya hadn’t even realized she had picked up a part-time gig to save for college. It was the same thing Maya thought she’d do until Paul had given her that shiny black card. 

 

The doorbell rang and Keye sprang up. “Hell yeah! Real food!” She darted toward the door and yanked it open. “Ah jesus, I didn’t know you were delivering pizza.” Keye said in an annoyed voice. Maya walked over to the door. 

 

“Collin?” Maya said confused. 

 

“Yeah, yeah, get your jokes out now,” he said rolling his eyes. He was wearing a Dotty’s Pizza Parlor t-shirt and hat on backwards. Maya crossed her arms. 

 

“Did Paul send you to check up on us?” Keye accused. Collin looked at her wide eyed in annoyance and pointed to his shirt. 

 

“Keye, I’m fucking wearing a uniform. I’m not checking on you guys,” he said irritated. 

 

“Okay chill, jesus.” Keye replied, clear tension in the air. 

 

“Are...are you guys okay?” Maya asked. Collin was glaring at Keye who wore an annoyed frown on her face. 

 

“Can we just have our fucking pizza?” Keye said, “I’m starving.” 

 

“It’s $18.75,” Collin said. Maya grabbed Paul’s wallet from the side table by the door and pulled out a $50. 

 

“Here,” she said gently. 

 

“Keye took the pizza and opened the lid to grab a slice. 

 

“I don’t have change for this,” Collin sighed. 

 

“I don’t need change,” Maya said, “Thanks for the pizza Collin.” Keye had already turned and had walked back to the living room. 

 

“Thanks, My,” Collin said dejectedly as he turned and jogged back toward his car. Maya closed the door and walked back over to the living room, plopping down next to Keye. Maya snagged a piece of pizza and between mouthfuls she said, 

 

“What was that about?” 

 

Keye made a frustrated sound and rolled her eyes stuffing more pizza into her mouth, “He was getting fucking clingy so I told him we couldn’t hook up anymore. He’s been annoying ever since.” 

 

“Mmmm,” Maya nodded taking a bite of pizza. Keye chugged some wine and glared at her. 

 

“What ‘Mmm’!?” Keye asked, her voice growing loud. 

 

“Nothing!” Maya said defensively, her eyes wide, “Sheesh. With this kind of reaction you’d think you were in love with the dude. Relax.” 

 

Keye laughed, “Oh please. He wishes.” But Keye swallowed hard and ate more pizza and letting the silence stretch between them. 

 

When the movie ended, it was dark outside and Maya had an itch to see Becks. 

 

“Do you think she’s off work yet?” Maya asked Keye. 

 

“I don’t know, probably.” 

 

“Let’s go see her!” Maya said hopping up. 

 

“What?! I literally have a food baby termed at 8 months and you want to leave?” Keye said incredulously. 

 

“Come on Keye!” Maya called from the stairs as she went up to change from her lightweight sleep shorts to some dark skinny jeans. She threw on a black ribbed halter top and ran a brush through her hair. When she came back downstairs Keye was standing by the door with her arms folded. Maya slipped into her sandals and grabbed the keys to Paul’s forerunner before slinging her bag over her shoulder. Keye groaned as Maya pulled open the door with a squeal and skipped toward the car. 

 

“Fine, but can we get a smoothie at least?” Keye moaned. 

 

“Keye you just ate over half a large pizza. I thought you said you were termed?” Maya nodded down to her stomach. 

 

“My!” Keye whined. 

 

“Fine. Becks, then smoothies.” Maya turned up the dirt driveway and rolled down the windows so that the fresh summer night air could wind sweetly through the car. She turned up the radio and put her arm out the window. Keye smiled at her and they started laughing. Summer caught hold of them and they hollered into the night as they drove down the dark winding street into town to Clearwater Coffee. 

 

When the headlights washed over the dimming lights of the cafe, Maya and Keye left the car running for a bit longer as they belted out the final lines to Motivation by Normani. When they stumbled happily from the car and made their way into the empty cafe, they noticed the clear form of Becks behind the counter. 

 

“Becks!” Keye cried. Becks whipped her head up and gave a great big wide warm smile. Maya couldn’t help by smile back at her and give her a tentative wave. Becks came out from behind the counter and wrapped them both in a hug. Maya loved this about Becks. No matter how much things felt like they were changing, these friends would always feel like home to her. 

 

“What are you guys doing here?” Becks said smoothing out her apron. Maya reach out to rub a spot of black grease away from Becks’ forehead. 

 

“Coming to kidnap you of course,” Keye said conspiratorially. 

 

“Ah, fucking espresso machine. I was fixing something inside of it and must have gotten grease on me,” Becks said to Maya’s continued preening. She dipped back behind the counter and wiped her face with a damp rag. “Kidnap me? For what purpose might I ask?” Becks waggled her eyebrow at the two of them. 

 

“Well, we were in the middle of a slumber party. Do you wanna join in? I feel like I haven’t seen you in over a month and I want to catch up,” Maya pouted pushing her lip out. “I have snacks and some leftover pizza and a really comfy bed pile I made on the floor in the living room!” Maya felt like a little kid as she clapped her hands together. 

 

“I was supposed to meet up with Jeremy tonight though,” Becks said a little sad. 

 

“Boooo no boyfriends allowed,” Keye groaned. 

 

“Keye,” Maya chided. 

 

“You’re having a sleepover at Maya and Paul’s. Isn’t Paul there?” Becks said returning to her tinkering with the espresso machine. 

 

“Nah, he’s out running rounds tonight and promised to make himself scarce if he came back before we were asleep,” Maya leaned on the counter by the register. 

 

“See? No boyfriends allowed. Come hang out with us! Please please pleaaaase. Maya’s not as funny without you around,” Keye poked. 

 

“Hey!” Maya retorted and swiped at Keye’s arm who easily dodged out of the way. Becks laughed and rolled her eyes. 

 

“Well, I guess I could hang out. But let’s go to the bar first and meet up with Jer and then we can crash at Maya’s after—true slumber party. Like the old days,” Becks looked at Maya knowingly who smiled in the sad and happy way that nostalgia always made you feel. 

 

“Like the old days.” Maya echoed with a smile. 

 

After Maya and Keye helped Becks close down the coffee shop a half an hour later, the girls piled into the forerunner. 

 

“God this car is nice,” Becks exhaled. Maya laughed. 

 

“Paul would be thrilled to hear you say that,” Maya replied as she turned the key in the ignition and took off down the main road out of La Push and toward Forks. They were meeting Jeremy at a quaint little pub that had just opened in the downtown area of Forks. The owner who ran the local diner there acquired the space next door and converted it into a pub with food service funnelled by the diner. The residents of Forks were just thrilled to have a local watering hole that wasn’t the divey bar just on the outskirts of town nearby. 

 

When they entered the warm atmosphere of the bar, they quickly grabbed a high top table and Becks went off to the bathroom to freshen up while Maya grabbed them a round of drinks. As they took their first couple of sips, Maya spotted the tall, broad frame of Jeremy coming through the front door of the pub. 

 

“I have an idea,” Maya said, playfully. Keye looked at her confused and looked over her shoulder at Jeremy. When Jeremy’s eyes scanned the bar and naturally landed on the two familiar faces of Keye and Maya, Maya whispered quickly, “Keye. Duck!” and pulled her under the table as if they were hiding. 

 

“What the hell My!” Keye said shaking beer off of her hand as Maya covered her mouth and giggled. After a second they heard the voice of Jeremy. 

 

“Well, well, well,” he said. Maya came out from under the table and feigned being caught. 

 

“Jeremy, oh fuck,” she acted the part. “Please don’t tell, Paul.” she said to really sell it. Keye sipped her beer still unsure of what they were doing. 

 

“The last time I was with you in a bar, you almost died, My. Me not telling Paul is definitely not an option,” he said, a crooked smile on his face. Maya groaned and threw her head back, “But at least, while I’m here, I might as well have a beer,” Jeremy grabbed the third beer meant for Becks and drank nearly half the glass on his first sip. Then he looked at the glass, confused and said, “Why is there a third drink? You guys know I was coming?” 

 

“Maya’s date is in the bathroom,” Keye said, nonchalantly. Jeremy raised an eyebrow at her. 

 

“A date huh?” he said taking another drink. Maya bit her lip. 

 

“It’s not what it looks like, Jer,” she said frantically. Jeremy leaned down to her ear and said softly, 

 

“Oh I know it isn’t. I’ve played this game with you before and how funny is it that your date just happens to be my date too?” she could hear the grin in his voice and she quickly turned her head to kiss his cheek before yelling, 

 

“Got you!”

 

Jeremy pretended to be mock surprised and then wrapped Becks under his arm who had come back from the bathroom. 

 

“You got me!” Jeremy said warmly, leaning down to kiss Becks who leaned her whole body into the kiss happily. Maya giggled, clearly feeling the alcohol she’d had that night at this point. When they finally untangled from their kiss, Keye moved off to get another drink at the bar. 

 

“No but for real, did you tell your boyfriend you were here?” Jeremy said handing the beer to Becks who drank it happily. 

 

“Aaaah,” Maya said in a moment of stalling. As if on cue, her phone rang. Jeremy groaned and pulled Becks away toward the bar to join Keye. Maya reached in her bag and pulled out her phone. Sure enough, the name on her phone screen read Paul with a picture of him smiling in bed, an arm covering his eyes and the top of his naked chest on display. Maya smiled at the picture before answering. 

 

“Hello?” she answered normally. 

 

“Maya.” Paul said. 

 

“Hi babe!” Maya trilled. 

 

“Hi, um, where are you?” he asked in a calm, even voice. 

 

“I am at that new pub in downtown Forks with Keye, Becks, and Jeremy.” she answered him. She waved to Becks at the bar who was looking at her with a semi-worried look on her face. 

 

“Okay, I’m assuming you took my car?” 

 

“Of course!” she said. 

 

“Okay, well I’m still out on rounds, I just wanted to check on you.” 

 

Maya let a smile pull across her face. There was no anger in his voice but he clearly had been checking up on her. 

 

“Oh, so you’re still out on rounds?” Maya asked nonchalantly, just to see what he would say. 

 

“Yeah, we’ll probably be out for another few hours. It’s all clear so far though,” he answered, “Why?” 

 

“So….you just randomly called to ask me where I was?” 

 

Paul let out a sigh at being caught, “I…. checked your location.” 

 

“Old habits die hard, huh?” she said with a laugh. She could hear the smile in his voice as he chuckled and replied, 

 

“I guess. Have Jeremy drive you and Keye home if you drink, okay?”  

 

“You got it.” 

 

“I love you, My. Have fun.” 

 

“I love you too. And thank you.” 

 

“I’m trying,” he sighed again. 

 

“I know, and I see it. So thank you.” 

 

I’ll see you at home,” he said softly as the line clicked. Maya smiled and put her phone back in her bag picking up her beer and joining her three friends at the bar. 

 

“And how was that?” Jeremy asked as Becks looked at her, concern in her eyes. 

 

“Well, he said you gotta drive us home soooo, I’d say pretty fucking good. That means I can have another,” she raised her near empty glass to the bartender who acknowledged her and reached for a clean glass to get her a refill. 

 

“He wasn’t pissed?” Becks asked shocked. Maya drained her glass and slid it across the bar as she reached for her new one. 

 

“Nope!” Maya said with a smile and a sigh. 

 

“Wow.” Keye said over her shoulder. “That’s fucking progress.” 

 

“What can I say. Lean into that motherfucking imprint and with a little trust and forgiveness, we’re golden.” Maya said happily, “Well, for now.” she conceded and they all broke into laughter. 


Jeremy dropped all three girls off giggling falling over themselves around 1 a.m. They were absolutely bombed and as Maya fitted the key into the lock, she shushed them. Once Maya got the door open they spilled into the entryway, kicking off their shoes. Becks headed to the fridge for some leftover pizza and Keye collapsed onto the makeshift bed in the living room. Maya dropped the keys on the side table and made her way to the stairs. 

 

“I’ll get you some pajamas,” she whispered as she climbed the stairs. Maya pushed the door to her and Paul’s bedroom open carefully in case he was in there asleep but she was met with an empty room. No longer needing to tiptoe around, she changed into her sleep shorts and one of Paul’s t-shirts. She grabbed a pair of shorts and a top of Becks and brushed her teeth before heading back downstairs. She handed the clothes to Becks who thanked her and went to change in the spare bathroom. Keye was hugging her pillow, her eyes closed but not quite asleep yet. Maya grabbed a glass of water and went to sit in the center of the pile before Becks padded out from the bathroom and joined them. 

 

“So you and Jeremy seem to be doing well,” Maya said sipping her water and folding her legs underneath her. Becks leaned her back against the bottom of the couch and tucked her legs under the blankets. 

 

“Yeah,” she blushed. Maya could barely make it out in the dim light of the living room. 

 

“Yeah?” Maya reached out to poke Becks’ side who giggled and jerked away from her. 

 

“She loooooves him,” Keye replied sleepily. Maya giggled. 

 

“I think I do,” Becks admitted. Maya’s eyes snapped to her and her mouth fell open. 

 

“Really?!” Maya said shocked. Becks bit her lip and smiled before nodding her head. 

 

“He’s….amazing My, I’ve never felt like this with anyone. And he takes care of me and I feel so so safe and...I don’t know,” she said softly. Maya buzzed with overwhelming warmth and weirdly felt tears spring to her eyes. 

 

“How’s the sex?” Keye said, her voice muffled by the pillow. Maya smacked her butt and Keye giggled. 

 

“I mean. It’s fucking incredible. It’s like we connect on this whole other….plane. It’s...fucking supernatural,” she let out a laugh and shook her head. “Does that make sense?” 

 

Maya watched her carefully and nodded her head. She knew what that was like with Paul, but she knew Becks wasn’t talking about imprint level connection. Still, it sounded intense and like love for sure. 

 

“Then chase it,” Maya encouraged, her hand on Becks’ knee. Becks threw her head back against the cushions of the couch and squealed, which made Maya feel a rush of joy pass through her. She wanted to feel this happy for her friends always. 

 

As the girls drifted off to sleep, Maya put her hand in Becks’ who squeezed it and turned her head so they could press their foreheads against one another, just like they used to in elementary school when they had their very first sleepovers. 

 

“I’m happy for you,” Maya whispered. 

 

“I’m happy for you too. Who knew these hot-bodied weirdos would be it for us?” Becks said softly, the excitement still clear in her voice. Maya smiled, but something in the back of her mind wanted to reach out and tell Becks to be careful. While imprinting wasn’t supposed to be common, she worried what would happen if Jeremy imprinted on someone else and left Becks heartbroken. That kind of pain would be tough to get through and was so far beyond a normal breakup that Maya hated to think what it would do to her. Instead, Maya curled in Becks’ side and drifted off to sleep. 

 




Maya fashioned the small golden watch on her wrist as she climbed the stairs to their bedroom. She could hear Paul still on the phone and when she leaned against the doorframe, she saw him half dressed pacing the room just as she left him a half an hour ago. 

 

“Paul,” she said in a quieter voice. Paul immediately glanced in her direction and then put up his finger. 

 

“Yeah, but that’s not going to work for the timeline…...Frederico, I literally confirmed this with you three months ago…..So what? I’m just shit out of luck?....Oh yeah, I’m sure that’s going to fly….Listen!” He wasn’t angry but Maya could tell that he was definitely irritated. He’d been on the phone for the last hour trying to coordinate a shipment of raw wood that he needed to complete a client request. Maya could only gather that something had went wrong and it didn’t seem like he’d made any headway since Maya left him to it when she went to shower. 

 

“Paul, come on we’re gonna be late,” Maya said a little louder this time. Maya was eager to get to Sam and Emily’s for this particularly pack gathering. The renegade pack member, Jacob, would be there and she was curious to see what all the fuss was about. She’d tried to get information out of Jeremy a few nights ago at the bar but he was genuinely uninterested in cluing her in. Paul had been distracted with work and rounds so much lately that Maya thought their conversation was best spent elsewhere to take his mind off of things. 

 

She crossed the room to him now having been ignored long enough. He stopped pacing when she stood in front of him and wrapped an arm down around her body automatically, almost as a reflex. 

 

“Paul, hang up the phone, come on,” she said gently. 

 

“Hold on, baby,” he said quietly as he listened before he continued, “No. The order was clearly for teak wood. Jesus, I’m not asking for African blackwood here…..Well have you checked with Margo’s distributor?” Maya leaned her forehead on his chest and groaned. He leaned his head down to kiss the top of her head, “Five minutes, My. Go wait for me in the car.” He said quickly as he patted her ass. Maya gave another frustrated noise and walked down toward the stairs. Twenty minutes later and after several long bouts of honking from her place inside of the car, they were on their way to Sam and Emily’s house. 

 

Maya was buzzing with excitement when Paul finally put the car in park in the clearing. She bounded out of the car, leaving Paul behind and nearly crashed into Milo, Sam’s oldest son who was seven. Once in the kitchen, Maya smiled. 

 

“My! You guys made it. About time,” Kim chirped. Keye was sitting on a barstool peeling potatoes and Quil and Embry were shucking corn over the sink. Emily was mixing something in a large stockpot on the stove while Sam stood beside her seasoning something in a pan. 

 

“Is he here yet?” Maya breathed. Emily laughed from her place at the stove and Paul walked in. 

 

“Yeah, I’m chopped liver over here,” he bemoaned as he made his way out toward the back, a squealing Luca moved past him and he lunged for him playfully. 

 

“Not yet,” Quil said distracted from his place at the sink. Maya let out a dejected sigh and sunk onto a barstool next to Keye. 

 

“Where’s Becks?” she asked quietly. 

 

“Not here yet,” Keye said resting her head on her hand. “But Collin is. And he won’t stop fucking staring at me.” 

 

“He likes you,” Emily said sweetly, turning away from the stock pot and dropped a pile of dough in front of the two women, “Form these into sweet dough rolls, please.” 

 

Maya hopped up to rush to the sink. She playfully bumped Quil out of the way with her hip. He didn’t move very far given his gigantic frame, but it was enough to make him stumble slightly and shout a: “Hey! There’s a bathroom right over there!” 

 

Maya ignored him and washed her hands before returning to the counter and forming dough rolls with Keye who was seemingly annoyed and pleased all at the same time about her predicament with Collin. 

 

It wasn’t until well after dinner when some of the pack had disappeared down the darkening beach for a game of pick up football, while the rest stayed behind at the long table or around the bonfire did Jacob finally show. Maya was playing cards with Keye, Embry, and Brady. Paul, Sam, Jared, and Kim were sitting around the bonfire in chairs and the kids were playing close by—except for Kit, Sam’s two year old daughter, who was fast asleep against Paul’s chest. Sadie and Seth were tucked into one another on the back porch swing, all smiles. Becks and Jeremy had conveniently never showed.

 

Jacob held a plate piled high with food from the kitchen in his hands. 

 

“There he is!” Embry said happily from his place at the table. Maya jerked her head over her shoulder to stare at the newcomer. Embry stood and wrapped Jacob in a quick hug before he dropped into a chair at the head of the table near them. 

 

“Yeah, yeah, sorry I’m late,” he said, not bothering to offer an explanation. Keye leaned over Brady. 

 

“So you’re the alpha defect these dummies won’t stop talking about,” Keye said bluntly. Jacob was shoveling food into his mouth. Maya took a minute to take him in. He was huge, like Paul and Sam and he exuded that level of confidence that Maya had come to recognize as the air of an alpha. His long hair was to his shoulders and he had half it tied back away from his face. His features were strong, angular, his brows thick and framing warm brown eyes that Maya thought would be captivating if he smiled. Between a mouth full of food he said: 

 

“And who are you? Did we just start letting randoms know about us? Am I missing something?” Jacob asked to no one in particular.

 

“I’m Keye Mesoon. And I’m not some random. What’s your deal? I didn’t think you guys could desert your pack, but apparently not,” Keye said, getting right to the heart of it. Maya felt her breath catch in anticipation. 

 

“Well, then you clearly don’t know shit about us then and my previous read was right. So, excuse me if I don’t answer a random nobody who has no business asking me personal questions.” Jacob shot back a little too harshly. Keye was unphased but Maya prickled at this. 

 

“Hey, don’t be rude to her because you’re mad that you took off and don’t know what the fuck is going on anymore.” Maya could feel Paul’s eyes on her distinctly. She could feel that pull of anxiety in his stomach as if he didn’t trust Jacob around her yet. 

 

“Yeah, I’m not going to listen to some teenage imprint that literally knows nothing about my life or this pack, either.” He dismissed her. 

 

“Hey, woah Jake,” Embry interjected. Brady let out a laugh and shuffled his cards around in his hands.

 

“Yeah, you’re not going to talk to her like that,” Paul said from his place next to the bonfire, the annoyance rang clear in his voice. Maya crossed her arms. 

 

“No, no,” Maya dismissed, “Go ahead, Jacob. Tell me how much I don’t know about this pack or this life.” 

 

“I literally don’t have to explain anything to you,” he said irritated. 

 

“Have you imprinted on anyone?” Maya shot at him. Did he just wince? His face turned down in a harsh frown. 

 

“No,” he said dejectedly, the pain evident in his eyes. 

 

“Then I technically know more than you,” Maya quipped. Paul barked a laugh from across the room. Jacob fitted her with a harsh stare and she thought for a minute that she saw the same warning tremors move through his body. But instead he rolled his eyes and continued to eat. 

 

That didn’t stop Keye from questioning him though. After his initial snide remarks, Jacob stayed relatively cool  the rest of the evening. Maya even got him to play a round of cards with them but other than that, he was a tightly closed book. 

 

But Maya found that she was still drawn to him in only curiosity. He’d seemingly done the impossible, what the council said that the wolves specifically couldn’t do while they were still considered members of the pack. And yet, Jacob had taken off for years and fought off the familiar call of the reservation, his brothers, his tribe, everything. She was drawn to him only because she wanted to know how he did it. 

 

Because if he could do it, then that meant Maya would be able to do it too when she left for Columbia next month. Every so often, Jacob would glance at her and catch her staring with that curious, perturbed look in her eye. He would raise his eyebrow at her, scoff or color his face with annoyance and return his eyes to his cards, Embry, or out toward the ocean. 

 

But the unanswered question remained on Maya’s face and she knew he could see it. She was determined to figure him out and get her answer. 

Chapter 31: You're something to be celebrated

Chapter Text

There’s nothing better than a party. Well, that’s not entirely true. I can think of a bunch of things now in my life that might be better than a party. But for most of my life, nothing was better than a good party. The lights, the people, the drinks, the music, the feeling of complete happiness that nothing is left to do but have fun and enjoy. Nothing could spoil a good party for me at this point. Not even ex girlfriends or pack drama. Nothing. 


Maya found herself at Emily’s one long Saturday afternoon. It had been a couple of days since she had met Jacob and Maya still had so many questions. But Paul had left the next morning to work out the wood distributor issue and he wouldn’t be back until Monday. After a frustrating day alone, Maya couldn’t take it anymore. 

 

She showed up at Emily’s house and helped her with the kids but mostly, they sat around outside while the kids played and Maya tried to pull more information about Jacob’s story out of her. 

 

“I still don’t get it though. How could he just leave, like that?” Maya asked for what felt like the hundredth time. Emily didn’t seem annoyed or tired with the ask though. She was overwhelmingly patient and kind with everyone. 

 

“Back then it was a really different time in pack life. Jacob had split off into a one-man pack until Seth and Leah joined. He took off because he could. He wasn’t under Sam’s command.” Emily said simply sipping her iced tea. 

 

“But it’s not just a command that keeps him tied here. Paul always said when he left for places like Thailand or Australia or anywhere for long periods of time, it became this physical ache. Like a call he couldn’t ignore. He said after a while it became almost unbearable. Does Jacob not have that because he’s his own alpha or something?” Maya asked, trying to get the logic straight in her mind. 

 

“I’m not sure. Part of what Paul is talking about might be the imprint though. Even before they imprint, if their soulmate is here, their spirit knows it. It might have been an echo of that before he even knew what it was. Or maybe it is the tribe and his brothers. I’m not sure. But for whatever reason, Jake was able to choose something different. He was always that way,” Emily said, trailing off sadly. 

 

“What do you mean?” Maya looked over at her now. 

 

“Just...different. Different motivations. No fear. Different instincts. Just…..different,” Emily said. Maya looked out across the clearing down to the shoreline. “I know what you’re worried about.” Emily interjected. 

 

“What?” Maya said, caught off guard. Emily gave her a knowing smile. 

 

“You want to be reassured that you can leave the rez for college...leave Paul for a bit...and still feel okay, right?” Emily said knowingly. 

 

“Are you in my head?” Maya said, laughing. Emily laughed too. 

 

“No, but my husband’s in your boyfriend’s head. And even if you didn’t tell Paul that, it’s not hard to guess it.” Maya sucked in a breath and cringed. 

 

“God, I’m obvious huh?” 

 

“Not obvious, just concerned. You’re trying to make sure you’ll be okay and by extension Paul. You’re protecting him the only way you can,” Emily smiled, “But I don’t think Jacob has the answers you’re looking for.” 

 

Maya groaned and leaned her head back against the chair. After a minute she said, “Can I ask you to help me with something else then?” 

 

“Sure,” Emily said quickly. 

 

“I want to plan a surprise party for Paul’s 29th birthday. I want our summer to be as jam packed with great memories so that we can revisit them when we’re apart. I’m thinking a backyard shindig with a little flare. You know, decorate the back with string lights, get some food catered, hire a bartender, make it a little fancy. What do you think?” 

 

Emily stared at her with an elated smile on her face. “Oh I love parties like this! Yes! Let’s do it.” 

 




When Paul had gotten back from Seattle on Monday, he was exceedingly stressed. Maya could feel it in his body even when they laid down to sleep. It made planning his party a little more difficult because when he was stressed, Paul tended to be on high alert about everything. 

 

On Tuesday morning, the day after he got home, he entered the kitchen with a groan and Maya snapped her laptop shut that she had been working on at the kitchen counter. 

 

“What are you hiding on your laptop there?” Paul said, his eyes shooting from Maya’s face to the closed laptop suspiciously. 

 

“Uuuuh, I’m having an affair,” she answered quickly with a teasing smile on her face. 

 

“Oh, you are?” Paul said, a twinkling dark look in his eyes. Maya stood with her back to the counter trying to conceal her laptop. Paul crossed the kitchen to her and when he tried to look around her, Maya put her left hand to his jaw and leaned up to kiss him softly. 

 

“Mmmhhmm,” Maya said as she pulled softly out of the kiss. Paul let his hand drift down the side of her neck and slowly down her body. “I didn’t want you to find out like this,” Maya gasped as Paul lowered his head to kiss her neck, his hand easily slipping under the mini skirt she was wearing and stroking her softly. 

 

“Mmmm,” Paul said, moving so slowly down Maya’s neck that she thought she’d burst. “You’re a really bad liar.” 

 

“I might be a liar, but I can still have secrets,” she said as she parted her legs a little more for him. Paul cupped her and slipped two fingers inside of her. He easily lifted her with his other arm wrapped around her waist and set her on the counter. Her mouth was open in breathy exhalation as he teased between her legs with a hungry, determined look in his eye.

 

“You don’t keep secrets from me,” he lowered his head and nipped at her neck, kissing along her jawline, and then gently brushing his lips over hers, “Do you?” The question was posed with an implied answer. Maya knew how to answer, but the mischievous tug that pulled at her swayed her to answer in a way that would play with him.

 

“Oh, I do,” she said. Paul growled playfully and Maya tried to contain the squeal of excitement that shot between her legs as his fingers stroked her. He pulled them out quickly and stared down at her hard, that same look glinting in his eyes. 

 

“I don’t think so,” Paul said firmly, “But I can think of a way I can get you to tell me what you think you’re keeping from me.” His hands were pulling at the cropped black t-shirt she wore. Maya’s mouth was still open as she smiled at him. 

 

“Not this time, Lahote,” she egged him on. His eyes flashed with need now and the overwhelmingly joy in his smile made her heart race as he pushed it above her chest. Maya was wearing a black lace bralette and he easily pushed that up and as well before he lowered his mouth to take her left nipple in his mouth. 

 

His arms were wound tightly around her back and Maya leaned her head back, arching her back to push her chest against his face as she let out a soft sound. When he took her nipple between his teeth and gingerly teased it, Maya let out a huffing breath and brought her head back up. Paul’s eyes we’re peering up at her and she couldn’t help but giggle. He brought his face up to hers, bringing his lips crashing down on her and she put both of her hands behind his head as he pulled her forward so her hips were flush with his against the countertop. She wrapped her legs around his back as his hands roamed over her, squeezing as he went. 

 

Maya loved the hot feeling his hands left across her body. When he pulled back from their heady kiss, Maya’s lips red and swollen from the scratch of his stumble he grinned that wicked grin he reserved just for her. 

 

“What?” she breathed with excitement. Paul placed a hand on her shoulder and gently pushed her back so that she laid flat against the countertop. Her chest heaved with anticipation as he let his hand drift down her chest and stomach, coming to rest on her hip. He leaned down and pulled the lace underwear down her legs. Scrunching her skirt up around her hips, he kneeled to take her mound in his mouth and Maya arched her back and let out a loud moan as his warm tongue slipped between her. As he worked between her legs, Maya brought the back of her hand to her mouth and bit down with a smile as the unending moans slipped from her lips. 

 

When he brought his mouth up and starting to suck at the bundle of nerves at the top of her folds, Maya’s eyes rolled into the back of her head and she gasped his name. Her hand shot down to grab the back of his head and when he brought her close to her end, he pulled away abruptly, smiling smugly up at her. Maya could have screamed. 

 

“What are you doing?” She breathed. 

 

“Are you going to tell me your secret?” he said in a low voice that always compelled Maya to do anything this man wanted her to do. Her center was throbbing with need and she let out a strangled laugh before she said. 

 

“Fuck you,” in a teasing tone. 

 

“If that’s what you want,” he said gruffly. Maya lifted her head just as Paul entered her and her mouth hung open in spectacular relief at the feeling of him as he filled her. His eyes burned with need as he thrust into her. Maya laid flat back against the counter, her breasts bouncing with each thrust as he brought a hand up to grab one and the other hand on her hip pulling her to him. Maya screamed with pleasure as he rammed into her, exploding pops of lights behind her eyes. 

 

When he slowed his pace Maya leaned up to glare at him, “Are you going to tell me?” he grunted as he moved excruciatingly slowly in and out of her. 

 

“Don’t you dare,” she warned. Paul gave a short laugh and continued to tease her, making Maya whine in frustration. She knew she could outlast him though. Maya leaned up on her elbows with a glint of challenge in her eyes as she started to wind her hips against him. Paul’s mouth fell open for a moment as the feeling of her circling him wracked pleasure through him. When he tried to pull out of her again, Maya wrapped her legs around his back and held herself tightly to him. A moan escaped him as he buckled, his hands on either side of her body as he thrust into her. Maya pulled herself up and wrapped her arms around his neck and started slamming her hips against him, pressing her lips to his ear and moaning his name, begging for him. It only took a few minutes after that before he grabbed her ass tightly and pulled her to him with one final thrust, filling her up. Maya threw her head back and let out a soft sigh of pleasure before she leveled her eyes with his, happy with defeat. 

 

“I guess my secret stays a secret then,” she said to him. He pushed his hot lips against hers for a moment, his hand wound in her hair before pulling back and saying gently, 

 

“Fine, you win this time,” a smile played at the corners of his mouth and Maya giggled. “What am I saying? You always win.” He said pressing his forehead to hers and panting. 

 

Maya kissed his cheek and rubbed the stubble along the side of his jaw, letting this feeling encapsulate her. 


The night of the party was upon them. Maya had planned every last detail with the help of Emily and organized a catering company to come and help transform the backyard into a twinkling, glittering, warm and inviting space. She had purchased an outdoor teakwood furniture set from a recommended carpenter that Paul admired and arranged the set on the back landing. There was a long couch with white cushions and a few reclined chairs that could rock set around a carefully crafted fire pit. 

 

The catering company set up a long wooden table that could seat up to thirty people and Maya helped dress the table with oversized glass blown votives, wine glasses, stone dinnerware, and fern leafs draped over the table. They hung lights in the large tree that helped cover the lower patio with the new furniture and set up hanging buckets around the backyard packed with ice, beer, chilled wine, and canned cocktails. 

 

Before the caterers left, they set up one area laden down with tons of food, buffet style. Pleased with the look of the backyard, Maya darted upstairs to get ready. Sam had pulled Paul away from the house all day with the excuse of distanced rounds that took them farther out of La Push than they would normally go. She hoped none of his brothers would give away what she had planned, but trusted that, no matter what, he would just be excited to celebrate his 29th birthday with Maya and his family. 

 

After carefully curling her hair in billowing waves, doing her makeup in a smokier, sexier look than she normally did and dotting her lips with a dark red lipstick, she pulled on a floor length dark green sundress that clung to her body. A slit ran up on either side of the dress to her thigh and it swooped down across her chest to show the top of her cleavage. The thin straps of the dress crossed behind her neck and halfway down her back in a thin X. She put on some dark brown strappy sandals and checked her phone. 

 

Jeremy: He’s on his way back. Be there in 5. 

 

Maya hurried downstairs and glanced toward the backyard where everyone had gathered while she was getting ready. She waved her hand at Emily who nodded and told everyone to quiet down as they turned the lights off, leaving only the soft glow of the candlelight glittering in one long line down the main table. Maya walked to the front door and just as she pulled it open,
Paul was there, reaching for the handle. 

 

“Hi,” he breathed with a smile like he’d just seen her for the first time again. Maya always lost her breath when he did that. 

 

“Happy Birthday,” she breathed, giving him a warm smile. 

 

“Oh yeah, it is that day huh?” he said feigning ignorance. Maya laughed and grabbed him by the hand pulling him to her. He wrapped his arms around her and kissed her lips. “You look amazing. Don’t tell me you dressed up on just my account.” He kissed along her jawline and traced a line with his index finger down her bare back. 

 

“Ah, maybe,” she said gently. “Come here, I want to show you something.” 

 

He raised an eyebrow at her and gave a suspicious smile. “Oh? Do I finally get to know the secret?” Maya didn’t answer, she just pulled him toward the backyard. Paul could see the glittering candlelight and couldn’t help but smile. When she opened the back door and got him out onto the porch, she flipped on the lightswitch that washed the backyard in the warm light of the twinkling lights hanging from the tree and throughout the backyard. His pack was spread out around the yard and all simultaneously yelled, “SURPRISE!” once the lights came on. 

 

Paul started laughing and pulled Maya into a hug, kissing the top of her head. Everyone cheered and came toward him, Jared setting a beer in his hand and pulled him into hugs. Maya was thrilled with the success of pulling it off and the smile on Paul’s face let her know that she had truly done something right. There was nothing but pure happiness that filled this moment for them. 

 

The night carried on in true party fashion after this—Maya was glued to Paul’s side, smiling up at him as he chatted happily with his brothers and turned every once in awhile to brag and kiss her forehead or her mouth. 

 

Just before they sat down for dinner along the giant table, Jeremy and Becks entered hand in hand to welcoming cheers. Maya gave them both a quick hug, playing hostess, and made sure to get them drinks. After piling their plates high with Paul’s favorite foods from the buffet—lobster mac and cheese, red beans and rice, chili powdered corn on the cob, steak tips and crab legs—the table was filled with laughter and loud crosstalk that only came from people sharing food and drink with those that they loved. Every chance Paul got, he made sure to touch Maya, wrapping his arm around her shoulder or grabbing her hand with an elated smile. He’d lean over next to her and say softly in her ear ‘I love you’ before planting a kiss to her lips. More than once, this would draw the attention of his brother’s who were nearest and they would holler and wolf whistle at them, making Maya laugh. 

 

“Am I too late?” A voice from the back door said halfway through dinner. Maya whipped around and Paul did too at the familiar sound. Shock pulled at Paul’s face as he said with overwhelming hesitance from his seat at the table,

 

“Rachel, what are you doing here?” His eyes darted from Maya to Rachel and when a smile broke across Maya’s face as she stood up and walked over to her, the shock turned into confusion.

 

Rachel held a bottle of wine high in the air and Maya climbed the steps to wrap her in a hug. “You’re not too late. Thanks for coming,” Maya said just so she could hear. With her hand around her waist she led Rachel down the steps and toward the table. Everyone who had previously fallen quiet at Rachel Black’s sudden appearance began to welcome her with Maya’s encouraging smile and when Rachel leaned down to hug Paul and wish him a happy birthday, Paul looked to Maya with utter appreciation. 

 

Emily squealed and wrapped Rachel in a warm hug before begging her to sit next to her and suddenly they were all back to eating and drinking and joking around the table. After dinner, everyone lingered around on the lawn or on the patio near the firepit, drinks in hand. Maya was talking with Kim and Sadie by the firepit when Paul walked over. 

 

“Excuse me, can I please steal my girlfriend for just a second?” he asked. Maya let out a little laugh and bounded out of the chair and into his side. He pulled her down the lawn and then stopped to turn and kiss her, his hands on either side of her face. When he pulled back, his thumb stroked her cheek and his eyes twinkled in the shimmering light. 

 

“You are amazing, Maya Sun,” he said softly before kissing her again. “Thank you so much for this incredible night.” Maya held onto his wrists and beamed up at him. 

 

“You’re welcome. I thought we deserved a celebration and you are definitely something to celebrate.” She could tell he was a little tipsy from his lopsided grin and when he said, 

 

“Promise me I’ll never have to spend another birthday without you,” she knew he was lost in the love of the imprint. She giggled and nodded,

 

“I promise. Every birthday, forever,” he kissed her roughly again and wrapped his arms around her. Maya never wanted to fall out of his strong grip. As they lost themselves in each other’s kiss, Maya thought she heard the loud growl of a motorcycle. Before long they were interrupted by someone clearing their throat. When they pulled apart, their eyes half lidded in that warm soft love, Becks and Jeremy were standing behind them. Jeremy’s arm was wrapped around Becks’ waist and he was beaming. 

 

“We’re gonna head out, but we wanted to say happy birthday to the birthday boy one more time before we dipped,” Becks said extending her arms. Paul gave her a hug and then relinquished her to Maya. 

 

“Thanks for coming!” Maya said in her ear. “You guys are so fucking cute together. When she pulled back to look at Becks’ face, she saw the light and happiness that shone there. It filled Maya with so much hope for her and she gave her a short knowing nod. After giving Jeremy a quick hug and kiss on the cheek, Jeremy started to steer Becks toward the door, but suddenly there was a commotion by the back door. 

 

“Well, well! Look who finally made it!” Quil teased, clapping Jacob on the back who gave one of those heart stopping grins. 

 

“Ah! He came,” Maya said, looking up at Paul delighted with herself. She’d gone out on a whim inviting him to the party. Emily mentioned that it would be a good faith effort in bringing Jacob back into the fold of the pack and Maya agreed. She still wanted to know him better for some strange reason but she never thought that he’d take her up on it. Seth had provided her with Jake’s number and she invited him via text. When he had replied with just a curt ‘Thanks’, Maya thought he was definitely not going to come. 

 

Rachel shouted from her place on the couch by the firepit and waved to her little brother enthusiastically. And then he looked over toward Paul and Maya. He gave a short wave to Paul and small nod to Maya with what she thought was a tight smile, but nonetheless, she appreciated the gesture. 

 

Then, as if in slow motion, his eyes floated over to the figure of Jeremy and Becks who were starting to walk toward him to leave. They only made it a few steps away from Paul and Maya before Becks’ eyes connected with Jacob and then the whole backyard went quiet. An electric feeling made Maya’s hair on her arm rise, just like the instinctual feeling you sometimes get before a thunderstorm that prickles at your inside and tells you to run, find cover. 

 

Maya looked from Becks to Jacob. Jeremy’s face was set in a hard line, his jaw clenched and his arm tightened around her waist. Becks’ mouth had fallen open slightly as she looked upon the man who had undeniably imprinted, tethering her to the spot, and undoubtedly beckoning her closer. But as Maya realized what was happening, she saw the look on Jacob’s face change from one of overwhelming relief and recognition—a look she viscerally remembered from the first time she’d set eyes upon Paul—to seething anger. 

 

“Are you fucking kidding me?” Jacob said, relief plainly laced with shock in his voice as his eyes rested on Becks. Maya could clearly see the shimmer in his eyes indicating he was fighting angry tears. 

 

Jeremy stood in front of Becks now, his hand gripping hers tightly, possessively. But Becks was peering around him, unable to help herself as her eyes found Jacob’s once again.

 

“No. Fuck you!” Jeremy boomed suddenly, causing Maya to jump and grab onto Paul’s forearm. He squeezed her hand as he watched the situation carefully. She could clearly see the tremors waving through Jeremy’s body. 

 

“Becks,” Maya gasped as she took an automatic step toward her. She wasn’t safe by Jeremy right now and she knew it. Paul grabbed her quickly around the waist and pulled her back behind him roughly as he said:

 

“No. Not you. Brady’s got it,” Paul said under his breath, his eyes hard. Maya look around his bicep and watched Becks worriedly. Brady was slowly making his way toward the couple, his palms facing forward as if he’d be ready to grab Becks as soon as Jeremy made the attempt to phase. She could see Becks was shaking, but Maya didn’t know if she was scared or overwhelmed. 

 

“Fuck you! You don’t get her, you deserting piece of shit!” Jeremy yelled now. Becks’ lower lip trembled. Brady was close enough to grab her now. Jacob’s face was contorted in pain for a half second at the solidifying realization of the imprint. He dropped his eyes to the ground, breaking the connection between him and Becks. She made an audible sound, guttural, painful and surprising when he did it and Jeremy couldn’t help but flinch at the sound. 

 

When Jacob looked back up at them, his face was hard as stone, the pain had disappeared and only anger was present in the firmly knit line of his brow, the hard line of his mouth, and the clenched V of his jaw. 

 

“Trust me. There’s nothing I want less than this,” he said a little too harshly. Becks swallowed hard. “So you can relax, loverboy. I don’t want her. Imprint or not.” Jacob’s face was almost unreadable at this point, the stone facade was placed so well, but his voice was laced with venom. Each word was meant to strike and hit it’s listener with snide precision until there was nothing left. 

 

Maya’s eyes were trained on Becks, tears falling plainly down her cheeks, one arm wrapped around her stomach. Maya knew that pain and she wanted to take the bounding steps to reach Becks and pull her into her arms and tell her over and over again that she would be okay. She wouldn’t break apart. Maya would hold her together. But Paul’s hand was tightly wound around her wrist, holding her place behind his back as Maya kept trying to inch around him. Jeremy’s tremors were shaking him so badly that his figure almost blurred in front of Maya’s eyes. 

 

“You don’t even fucking deserve her. You don’t deserve to be near her let alone look at her,” Jeremy seethed between gritted teeth. Becks was crumbling at Jacob’s words. Jacob looked from Jeremy to meet Becks’ eyes again, causing a visible shudder to run through Becks. And somehow, sickeningly, Jacob let out a harsh laugh, his eyes black pools of malice before he closed them tightly and looked down at the ground again, unable to keep eye contact.  

 

Becks couldn’t contain the sob that escaped her throat. 

 

Everything that happened next went almost too quickly for Maya to see. But what she did see was a flickering look of pain, the falter of that malicious smirk on Jacob’s face fell as Becks choked on a rising sob. Maya thought she even saw Jacob take a step forward toward her, but it was hard to know because in a split second, Jeremy, all rage, bellowed and took two swift steps forward before exploding into a mass of fur and fury. 

 

Brady had snatched Becks at the last second, turning his body with her in his grasp and folding her underneath him as he crouched to the ground with her underneath him. Paul had done the same with Maya. He had turned to quickly pull Maya off of her feet and down to the ground in one swift movement so fast that Maya thought she only saw sky after Jeremy had exploded. 

 

There was a volley of screams as Maya shut her eyes tight. Paul’s entire body was over hers and his chest was pressed against her face. A loud crash and procession of booms sounded and Maya could only assume that Jacob had phased and was fighting Jeremy. After what felt like a lifetime but was probably only a few seconds, Paul lifted his body off of Maya and leaned back onto his knees. His hands were on her face and he was frantically looking over her body and face. 

 

“Are you okay?” he gently moved her face from side to side, his eyes flickering around her face looking for any sign of injury. 

 

“I’m fine,” Maya strained. “Let me up.” Paul stood up and pulled her to her feet, continuing to inspect every part of her until she pulled out of his grasp, spotting Becks. “Becks!” she cried as she darted toward her. Brady was still in the same crouched position, his arms protectively wrapped around her shoulders. Becks had her face covered with her hands as she leaned into Brady, muffled sobs coming from her place on the ground. “Becks, come here.” Maya said as she pulled her out of Brady’s grasp and into her arms. Keye was there next to them now and as they all kneeled on the ground next to Becks, both girls covered her with their bodies, mumbling reassurances as everyone stood in temporarily stunned silence. 

 

When Maya looked up, peering over Keye’s bent head that was lowered to speak in hushed whispers to Becks, she surveyed the damage. They’d clearly collided with some of the trees that skirted their house and there was a huge gash in the tree that shaded their now mangled patio furniture. 

 

“Come on, let’s get her inside,” Maya said as she hauled Becks’ limp body off of the ground. Keye got on the other side of her and helped Maya take her toward the house. Emily was already a flurry of activity in the yard assigning clean up duties and Sam was talking to Paul, Jared, and Collin about splitting up to go after them and come at them from all different sides. 

 

Paul shot Maya an apologetic look and she returned it sadly. This night was so beautiful and perfect and once again the tragically beautiful destructive nature of a fresh imprint had ripped that to pieces. 

 

Once they got Becks upstairs and onto Maya and Paul’s bed, Maya put her hands on top of her head and took a step back. Becks was gutted and wouldn’t open her eyes as she continued to sob into the sheets. 

 

“What do we do?” Keye said, her eyes wide with uncertain fear. 

 

“I don’t know,” Maya choked out, tears springing to her eyes now. 

 

“Well, what did you do when this happened to you and Paul?!” Keye said a little too aggressively. 

 

“This didn’t happen to me and Paul. This is way, way different,” Maya said as she turned and started to pace the room. 

 

“He can’t just reject the imprint can he?” Keye said roughly. Maya grabbed her arm and tugged her out of the bedroom shutting the door behind them as she said in a hushed whisper out on the landing, 

 

“Jesus Keye, can you be a little less fucking moronic?! She’s right fucking there!” 

 

“Oh, I’m sorry! I’m just trying to fucking figure out how to not go kill some fucking reject alpha who just shattered my fucking best friend to pieces, EXCUSE ME.” 

 

“Okay, okay stop. We need to think about this,” Maya said, putting a hand over her mouth as she tried to concentrate. She wound an arm around her stomach instinctually and felt the pang of anxiety there at Paul’s obvious absence. Maya didn’t know if Becks could withstand that kind of feeling constantly. Especially without the reassurance that it would ever go away. It would destroy her life. 

 

“I’m not going to think about this. I’m just going to rip that guy to pieces,” Keye said angrily. 

 

“You’d have to get to him first. I think Jeremy’s already taking care of that,” Maya’s mind went wild with ideas, but nothing felt like it could come close to fixing whatever Jacob had just done to Becks. “We just need to stay with her. Let her tell us what she needs. I don’t see any other option right now,” Maya finally said. Keye groaned and nodded. 

 

“Okay. I’m going back in there,” she nodded toward the door. 

 

“Okay, just talk...less,” Maya advised. Keye rolled her eyes and pushed past her. Maya walked downstairs and out to the backyard. The rest of the pack who had stayed behind were finishing chucking the now spent wood from their patio furniture into Paul’s scrap wood pile. Emily, Kim, and Sadie were finishing cleaning in the kitchen and had cleared the table outside. Maya took in her surroundings and felt the well of emotion build up in her again. How had things gone so spectacularly wrong? 



Everyone had filtered out and left except for Keye and Becks after they had cleaned up. Emily had pulled Maya into a hug so tight she thought she might have cracked a few ribs. Before she let her go, she whispered urgently in her ear: 

 

“This will fix itself. Don’t worry. Jake has always been looking for a reason to come back and maybe this is the universe’s answer.”

 

Fuck the universe. And fuck whatever Jacob needed. Maya had thought to herself angrily as she nodded and closed the door behind them. She had sunk back onto the couch, too exhausted to climb the stairs to check on Keye and Becks. It was past midnight before Paul walked through the door. And before she knew it, she had been sitting there with her feet tucked up under her dress, staring at the wall for hours until Paul snapped her from her reverie. The ache in her stomach dissipated immediately and when he came over and sat next to her, Maya gave him a sad smile as she wiped a tear that had freshly fallen onto her cheek. 

 

“Is he gone?” she whispered. 

 

Paul’s face was etched with concern and before Maya could even move, he pulled her into his lap and wrapped his arms around her. Paul kissed her hair and her temple before saying in a low, firm voice: 

 

“Maya, I will never, ever, ever, do that to you, do you hear me? I will love you forever, I’m so sorry.” She thought she heard his voice crack a little and this made Maya devolve into tears as she pushed her face into the side of his neck. Her arms were wound tightly around him as she cried and he continued to whisper how much he loved her in the darkened living room. 

 

Maya felt so many things but overwhelmingly so she just felt relief. Relief that Paul, as much as they had unconsciously fought the imprint, still chose to love her and continued to choose her every day. The unflinching pain she felt wrack her body was brought on by the fact that she didn’t know if Becks would ever feel such relief if Jacob chose to reject her as he did tonight. 

 

After a few minutes of Maya letting Paul hold her as she cried, she took a deep breath and pulled her face up to look at him. She ran her hand down his face and he turned it to kiss her open palm softly. 

 

“I will never stop loving you,” she whispered. “I promise. I’m so sorry if you ever felt like I rejected you like that Paul, I didn’t know..” she choked. Paul shook his head, 

 

“Don’t take this the wrong way, but I knew you’d always come back. There was already too much there, My. I’ve loved you since the first time you set foot in this house. Nothing was going to change that. And I knew you felt it too.” Paul said reassuringly as he petted his broad hand through her hair. 

 

Maya sniffled and let out a strangled laugh and said “Okay, okay, okay, good,” repeatedly before she leaned her face down to put her mouth on Paul’s. Paul held her to his lips for a long time after that and they revelled in the feeling that just this small connection made between them. Paul held onto her tightly but Maya realized that she never wanted him to let her go again if he could help it. 

 

At some point that night they fell asleep on the couch together—Maya was draped over the side of Paul’s body as his arm looped around her shoulder and down her back to cradle her to him. 

 

Maya woke up a little bit before dawn and got up to check on Keye and Becks upstairs. The room was quiet and cool and the two dark lumps on the bed indicated that they were still asleep. Maya changed out of her dress into some jeans and t-shirt and hurried back downstairs with a yawn. She tied her mess of hair up into a high messy bun before starting some breakfast at the kitchen. 

 

After the coffee had fully brewed and she finished mixing up the pancake batter, the early light of dawn was creeping over the horizon. Her eyes were drawn to the backyard where out the double french doors, she saw the shirtless, broad figure of a man, sitting on the steps of her back porch with his hands wrapped around the back of his neck as he looked toward the ground. Maya almost jumped out of her skin when she saw him but instead, she picked up her coffee and quietly made her way outside, glancing over her shoulder to make sure Paul was still asleep on the couch.

 

Once the door was safely shut behind her she took a sip of her coffee and said gently, “I was wondering when you’d show up.” Maya stood behind him for a moment and when he didn’t answer, she took the few steps forward and sunk down next to him on the steps. He wouldn’t look at her and Maya let the silence open up between them as she let her eyes scan the horizon and the cold dark water. While the sun was rising, she could see a rolling mass of dark storm clouds coming in from the west offshore. After what felt like a lifetime, she heard the muffled sniffles of clear upset next to her. Maya wrapped her arm around the man’s shoulder and leaned her cheek against his shoulder. 

 

“Is she okay?” Jeremy managed to finally choke on. Maya stayed quiet for a minute and then said softly. 

 

“She will be...I think...She just needs some time Jer,” Tears were present in Maya’s eyes now. Jeremy took a deep breath and finally lifted his face. Maya sat up straight and looked at him. A long dark red line ran down the center of his face that made her gasp. Jeremy choked out a huff of a laugh and shook his head. 

 

“I’m fine. You should see the other guy,” he rubbed the tears out of his eyes and set Maya with a firm stare. “Can I see her?” Maya inhaled a sharp breath and thought about this for a moment. 

 

“I don’t know if she’d be up to it just yet, Jeremy. But I can tell her you came by to see her and if she wants to see you, I’ll call you right away and you can come over.” Maya placated. She wanted to minimize as much damage to her friend in her fragile state right now as possible. No answer seemed like the right one. 

 

“I just need to see her,” Jeremy said quietly. Maya bit her lip and clutched her coffee mug. 

 

“It’s not a good idea. She’s not….she’s not Becks right now. And while I know you love her and I would never want to stand in the way of that, she just had a monumentally life changing moment that did not go well. She needs a break,” Maya said softly. She hoped she was right but it felt like the only thing she could do at this point. 

 

“Fine,” Jeremy finally said, anger clearly lining the edges of his voice, “But I’ll be close by.” he nodded toward the treeline and Maya let out an exhausted sigh and rubbed her forehead. 

 

“Okay,” she finally breathed. Jeremy stood, somewhat shaky on his two feet for a second and then bounded off toward the forest, but before he disappeared Maya called out to him. He turned and looked at her, his face contorted in pain, “Is he gone?” she asked him the same question she had asked Paul last night. Jeremy fitted her with a hard stare before shaking his head noncommittally and saying,

 

“I don’t know. I don’t think so,” and when Maya looked at him confused, he said, “We can’t hear him. We’ve never been able to, not after he broke off into his one man pack, so there’s no way of knowing if he’s in the area unless we come across him. For both of our sake’s, I hope he isn’t.” And with that he turned and left. 

 

Maya sat on the porch for awhile after that looking out over the sea, thinking, trying to figure out how best to help Becks in this moment. The pain of rejection from her imprinter wouldn’t go away any time soon, and Maya wasn’t even sure that he could reject Becks for forever. 

 

When she finally stood up, the sun was well above the horizon now. She walked back through the french doors and spotted Paul in the kitchen working over the stove. Her heart swelled at the sight of his large broad shoulders working away, a stack of pancakes, bowls of fresh fruit, and cups of coffee already stacked on a tray. Maya came up behind him and wrapped her arms around his midsection, pressing her lips to the center of his back. He paused what he was doing and turned in her grasp, cupping his hands on the other side of her face and kissing her so softly on the lips that she felt momentarily dizzy. He pulled back and looked into her eyes, all love and enamour coating it’s hue and Maya warmed at the look. 

 

“Can you manage to get this upstairs, or would you like me to carry it?” he said as he nodded toward the laden down tray. She smiled, 

 

“Nah, I think I got it. Thank you for making all of this.” He kissed her forehead in response and Maya untangled herself from him before grabbing the tray and walking carefully up the stairs to their bedroom. She gently nudged the door open and heard Keye in the shower. Becks stirred a little bit and Maya set the tray carefully on the end of the bed, grabbing the cups of coffee and setting Keye’s on the nightstand. She sat next to Becks in the bed and brushed the tangled mass of hair away from in front of her eyes. 

 

“I brought you coffee. And pancakes,” Maya said softly. Becks’ eyes fluttered open, red and swollen from her night of crying and looked at Maya sadly. “You need to eat, Becks.” Maya said as she stroked her hair. Becks pulled herself up and leaned back with a great sigh against the headboard, taking the cup of coffee and pressing it to her lips. She closed her eyes and Maya knew she was fighting the urge to break down into tears again. 

 

Maya let silence fill the room, the only sound being the slapping of the water on the cool stone in the bathroom as Keye finished her shower. Once they heard the faucet turn off, Maya pulled the breakfast tray toward them and handed a bowl of fruit to Becks. Keye came out wrapped in a robe, a towel wound around her head and gave a sigh of relief at the sight of food. She grabbed her coffee from the nightstand and sat cross legged at the other end of the bed facing Becks and Maya, tucking into her plate of pancakes and popping a raspberry into her mouth. 

 

Becks picked at the fruit in the bowl while Maya took bites of her pancakes. The girls sat and ate in comfortable silence before Maya took a deep breath and finally said, 

 

“Jeremy stopped by this morning.” Keye looked at Maya in disbelief and her eyes flitted to Becks’, searching for her reaction. Becks just nodded knowingly and continued to take sips from her coffee. “Did you want to see him?” Maya asked gently. Becks swallowed hard and said, 

 

“No. Definitely not. Not right now. I don’t even want to see Paul if I’m being honest. No offense.” She croaked out. Keye let out a sigh and shook her head. Maya and Keye made eye contact and a silent look of understanding passed between them. 

 

“None taken. I completely understand,” Maya said gently. And she did. Being around a member of the pack wouldn’t necessarily clear Becks’ head any sooner. After a beat, Maya eyes widened in revelation and she said, “Do you want to get out of here?” 

 

Becks looked up at her in surprise, exhaustion and complete defeat written on her face. When she nodded sadly, Maya looked at Keye. 

 

“What did you have in mind?” Keye asked curiously.

 

Chapter 32: Why do they always run?

Chapter Text

My mom always told me that if I was upset or angry or just needed a break from something, the best thing to do was to give it space and time. But the wolves were never good with space. Exhibit A) Paul Lahote my loving, possessive, overprotective boyfriend. Three days apart and this guy all but loses his mind. So what do you do when you need to abscond with your best friend to get her space from an unpredictable, unnerving, new imprinter? Go somewhere that can’t be reached easily by abnormally fast feet. 


 

Maya closed the door to the bathroom behind Keye and Becks. After finishing breakfast, Maya and Keye had come up with a rough plan. Now Keye was helping Becks take a shower and Maya was going to deal with the wolves. Well, one wolf in particular. 

 

She found him outside, cell phone held to his ear as he stood on the back patio. She quietly opened the french door and slipped outside and announced her presence with a soft, “Paul?” 

 

He turned to her immediately and said into the phone, “Hold on a second,” before letting the hand holding the phone hang down at his side as he stepped toward her. She stood on tiptoe and he leaned to meet her kiss, his hand cupping the side of her face. “How’s Becks?” 

 

“We’re figuring it out,” Maya said gently. “Who’s on the phone?” she mouthed. 

 

“Sam. Give me just a second,” his thumb stroked across her cheek as he put the phone back to his ear, his eyes roving around Maya’s face for comfort. “Yeah,” he replied into the phone. “We’ll do a sweep tonight to make sure.” He continued. Maya’s eyes were glued to him and he leaned down to kiss her forehead before saying into the phone, “Alright, I’ll keep you posted. Yeah. Bye.” When he hung up the phone and slipped it into his pocket he used both hands to cup around Maya’s face as he leaned down to kiss her again. Maya placed her hands on his chest and leaned into it for a moment, letting the relief wash through her. 

 

When she pulled back and he let his hand drift down to stroke her arms, and Maya let out a sigh. 

 

“So, I’m going to ask you to do something. And I need you to say yes,” Maya said peering up at him through her lashes. She was trying to give him her most serious, pleading look. He raised an eyebrow at her and looked at her with hesitance. 

 

“Okay,” he said slowly. “What is it?” 

 

“Keye, Becks, and I need to leave for a little bit. Just to get her some space from the whole….Jacob imprinting thing,” Maya said firmly. 

 

“Okay, so what do you need me to do?” Paul said, still confused. Maya faltered and then said. 

 

“I need you to let me go with her,” Maya said. 

 

“Of course you can go with her,” Paul said. Maya let out a breath and gripped his forearms. “This shit with Jacob is….kind of fucked up if I’m being honest. I wouldn’t want Becks to stay right now either. At least not until we figure this out.” 

 

Maya let out a sigh of relief and leaned up to kiss him, “Thank you, thank you, thank you.” 

 

“What? Did you think this was going to be a fight?” Paul chuckled and wrapped his arm down around her back. 

 

“Kind of?” Maya said, screwing her face up in a mild look of embarrassment, “I know you don’t like when we’re apart for a while and this is going to be the farthest we’ll have been away from each other since the imprint.” 

 

“Wait...where are you going?” Paul said. Maya sucked in a sharp breath through her teeth making a hissing noise as she braced herself. 

 




“Champagne?” 

 

“Oh, hell yes!” Keye said reaching for the class offered by the flight attendant. 

 

“Thank you,” Maya took the glass and looked at Becks sitting next to her in the window seat, “Becks?” At the mention of her name, Becks looked over lazily and stared at the glass for a moment before shaking her head. 

 

“No thank you,” she said wearily before she turned to look out the window again. Maya slipped her hand into Becks’ and squeezed it. 

 

“Jesus, Maya. Kudos for scoring a rich ass boyfriend. I was born for first class,” Keye said from her seat across the aisle as she sipped her champagne. “Is anyone else in the pack secretly loaded? I need to be more strategic about who I date.” Keye rambled. Maya rolled her eyes and smiled looking over at Becks. She had been quiet and subdued all day and Maya couldn’t blame her. 

 

After Paul helped Maya coordinate flight and hotel details through Michael, she instructed Keye to go to Becks’ house to pick up everything she’d need after she picked up her own stuff. Maya made sure to order a car that would take them to the airport since Becks really didn’t want to be around anyone from the pack. But after Maya had tucked the groggy Becks into the town car with Keye, she walked back to the front porch where Paul was standing. 

 

“Keep your phone on you,” Paul said a little breathless like he was already anticipating the dull ache that would grow in both of them. 

 

“I will,” Maya said wrapping her arms up around his neck and stroking the back of his head with her hand. 

 

“And just try to stay on the resort as much as possible. It would make me feel better,” he said leaning down to kiss on her cheek and along her jaw slowly. Maya relished in the feeling and closed her eyes for a second. 

 

“Okay,” she said. “I’ll call you everyday.” He lifted his eyes to meet hers and Maya couldn’t help but laugh a little, “You look like you’re about to have a heart attack.” Paul let out a frustrated sound and wrapped her in a tight hug, crushing her to his chest. “We’ll be fine. Treat this as a little test run for fall, yeah?” She pulled back to look up at him and was met with a painful grimace. 

 

“Go before I keep you,” he said roughly. Maya rolled her eyes and leaned up to kiss him one more time. His grip on her was so tight she thought he would squeeze the breath right out of her. When he relinquished her, she skipped off to the car and turned to wave to him before hopping in. He gave her a curt wave and looked down at the ground. Maya’s heart only broke a little bit as they pulled away and she watched him standing in the doorway until she couldn’t see him down the drive anymore. 

 

Now, nestled in the wide seat next to Becks and sipping champagne, Maya’s heart raced. Above her the intercom dinged. 

 

“Good afternoon and welcome aboard flight 292 service to Kuaui. We appreciate you flying with us today. The remainder of our flight will run approximately 7 hours and 20 minutes. Please sit back, relax, and enjoy your flight with us on Hawaiin Airlines.” 

 

Becks rested her head against the window and closed her eyes. 

 

“My!” Keye said suddenly. Maya looked over at her. “There’s a whole fucking gourmet menu!” she gasped and looked over the fancy menu in front of her. 

 

“Mmmm,” Maya said, taking another sip of champagne and letting out a little laugh. 

 

After two movies, a prepared lunch, and a quick nap, they landed in Kuaui around 7 p.m. They grabbed their bags at baggage claim and spotted a driver who listed all three of their last names on a white card. They were taken straight to their resort, and by the time the concierge had shown them to their suite, Becks was dead on her feet. Keye steered her to her room inside of the large suite and Maya thanked the concierge. Keye came out a moment later and let out a long breath. 

 

“Jesus christ, this place is beautiful,” she looked around the well decorated living room that housed low sprawling white couches facing a wide television. Fold away doors led out to a long balcony that overlooked the ocean. To the left was the master bedroom where Maya had deposited her bags. To the right were two other bedrooms, one faced a sprawling section of green garden. Maya popped a bottle of cold white wine chilling in an awaiting ice bucket and poured herself and Keye a glass before leading the way out onto the balcony. 

 

They each plopped down in swinging chairs and Maya took a long sip of wine and listened to the waves pound the shore. “This is pretty fucking beautiful,” Maya murmured. She knew Paul had made sure to really spring for them but this was almost too much. Maya tucked her feet up underneath her and Keye looked over at her after a few minutes. 

 

“So what’s our plan?” she asked. Maya closed her eyes tight. The biggest hurdle was getting Becks out of La Push and away from the pack. Away from where Jacob or Jeremy or Chief Black might find her. 

 

“We wake her up first thing in the morning and yank her around this island and remind her that she’s still Becks, imprint or not.” Maya said firmly. 

 

Keye nodded and Maya heard her take a few gulps of wine, “If I ever see that fucking reject…” she muttered. Maya snorted. 

 

“Same. Knee straight to the balls,” Maya concluded, draining her wine glass and letting the warm salty summer evening air wash over her. 






The next morning, Maya woke up to a few text messages from Paul. She had sent him a goodnight text before passing out last night on the giant king plush bed. She yawned and opened her messages, 

 

Paul: Sorry I missed this. Glad you got in okay. 

P: Area is clear for now. 

P: Did you move my work gloves? 

 

Maya laughed at the last one and when she leaned up in bed, she quickly hit the video call button. The line rang for two rings before Paul’s gorgeous face appeared on the screen. 

 

“Good morning, beautiful,” he grinned. She could tell he was outside in his workshop. Maya smiled. 

 

“Good morning. Did you find your work gloves?” she yawned again as she heard Paul shuffling around. 

 

“No. Fuck. Are you sure you didn’t move them?” He said, glancing around his workshop again. 

 

“Imprint’s honor,” Maya held up three fingers in mock salute. 

 

“Alright, I’m gonna have to look again.” There was more shuffling and then he sat down in a chair outside, squinting in the late morning sun, “Did you sleep okay?” 

 

“Yeah,” she yawned again, “Fuck, yeah this bed is wonderful, it’s just still kind of early here and I just woke up.” Paul paused for a beat and then said, 

 

“It was weird sleeping without you in bed last night. I haven’t done that in awhile,” he looked away from the camera and then back at her. Maya smiled reassuringly, 

 

“I miss you too,” she said softly. “Any sign of Jacob?” she said in a softer voice glancing toward the door. 

 

Paul paused and then shook his head, “Not yet. He might have gone back to the Cullens but there’s no way to be sure just yet.” 

 

“Okay, well keep me posted,” she said softly. 

 

“My! You up? Breakfast’s here!” Keye called from the living room. 

 

“I will,” Paul said. 

 

“I gotta go, breakfast just rolled in. I love you. I’ll call you later?” 

 

“Not if I don’t call you first,” he grinned and Maya laughed, “I love you too.” 

 

“Bye!” she said, giving an exaggerated kiss at the camera before ending the call. 

 

Maya wrapped herself in the robe hanging from the door and walked out into the living room to the feast that had been laid out in front of them. The bar top was filled with fresh fruit, croissants, fancy jams and creams, coffee, orange juice, pineapple juice, pancakes, oatmeal, and scrambled eggs. Becks was sitting on a barstool picking at a croissant and Maya hopped up on the chair next to her. 

 

“Okay!” Maya said happily, clapping her hands together. Keye was drinking coffee out on the balcony and eating a bowl of pineapple. “We’ve got a ton of stuff we can do today, lay out on the beach with drinks, snorkeling, shopping, massages, manis and pedis, clubbing. What do you want to do today Becks?” Maya asked. 

 

Becks looked a little better, the sleep having erased the dark circles under her eyes. Keye came bounding in. “Ooooh! Let’s get manis and pedis.” She looked at Becks who nodded and let a small smile come over her face. 

 

“Great!” Maya confirmed. “We’ll start there.” She pet Becks’ hair back from her face and saw the tears well up in her eyes. “Oh Becks,” Maya said, standing to pull her into a hug. Becks devolved into sobs and Maya held her tightly, stroking her hair, “We’ll take it one step at a time, okay?” 

 

She felt Becks nod into her shoulder. Maya shot Keye a look and they knew this might be a little harder than they bargained for. 

 

After they finished their manicure and pedicures, they headed out to the beach and set up under a reserved cabana. Becks was starting to open up a little bit and when Maya pulled her into the water, the crashing waves pulling around them and pulling gleeful laughter from both of them, Keye made sure to take too many candid pictures of the two of them. 

 

Maya made a mental note to send some of the pictures to Paul. She knew he’d enjoy them not only because she was wearing his favorite red bikini of hers but because the light that shone from her face as she and Becks were caught in each other’s arms with water splashing around them showed her as happy. Paul loved Maya happy. 

 

After that, Becks was able to relax a little more and when they skipped off to go shopping late that afternoon to find some outfits for the club later that night, Maya was pleased to see that despite the ache she knew was there, Becks seemed to be holding her own. 

 

As Becks tried on a short blue skirt at a local vendor that had set up closer to town along the beach, Maya perused the jewelry stall next door. Her eye caught on a glittering ring with a decent sized faux diamond that looked not unlike a wedding ring. Maya tried a few on her ring finger and found one that fit, admiring it in the sunlight. When the vendor approached her she paid her and pocketed the ring. 

 

“That one for sure,” Maya said as she walked back over to Becks who was inspecting her ass in the short yellow skirt that flared out around her thighs playfully. 

 

“I thought so too,” Becks said, giving her a wane smile. “It reminds me of the sun.” She said as she swiveled back and forth in it. 

 

The night before they headed to an early dinner on the resort, Maya texted Paul to let him know they would be out for the night. 

 

Paul: Text or call me when you get back to the room. I don’t care how late.

 

Maya shook her head with a smile. He was trying but this was a new experience for them both. They had never been so far from each other since the imprint happened and she was sure it made him nervous. She could tell he was trying to give her space to be with Becks and enjoy herself but his constant messaging gave him away that he was still very protective and the need to be near her was palpable for Maya. 

 

When they arrived at the resort club after pregaming at dinner, Maya slipped the fake ring on her finger discreetly and held hands with Keye and Becks as they filtered easily into the club. The ring for the most part worked like a charm. Most men kept their distance from Maya and she thought it was a little annoying that something as simple as a ring and the statement it made kept them at bay. 

 

Maya could tell Becks was letting go a little bit as she danced in and out of the arms of a few good looking men, but she excused herself to the bathroom a bunch of times. When Maya had followed her one of those times, she heard her in the farthest stall from the door trying to contain the sound of her heavy sobs. She waited in the stall next to her until Becks finally got up, flushed the toilet and walked out to the sink. 

 

Maya followed and gave her a cheery “Hey!” to gauge her reaction, but by the time Becks had left the stall, she had gathered herself to near party going perfection again. “You good?” Maya raised her hand to smooth down some flyaways on Becks’ head. She nodded, gave her a laugh and a light, “Yeah!” before pulling her back out onto the dance floor. 

 

Keye had disappeared behind some tall man at the bar and was making out with her next fling, while Maya, under the pulsing lights of the club was trying to quell the ache in her stomach by focusing on the music and promising herself not to check her phone right away. For the rest of the evening Becks and Maya danced close together. Maya tried to communicate silently with her eyes that everything would be okay and at one point, Becks leaned her forehead in to rest on Maya’s and they swayed for a minute in the darkened club. 

 

“Everything’s gonna be okay,” Maya said, even though she thought Becks wouldn’t be able to hear her. But somehow she had and Becks nodded, pulling back to give her a sad smile before resuming her peppy dancing. 

 

When they returned to their suite, Maya pulled off her shoes and checked her phone. Keye scuttled into her bedroom with the dude from the bar who was also plastered and Maya could only hear a chorus of giggles and low murmuring after. Becks pulled open the fridge and grabbed out a bottle of water to drink. Maya noticed Paul had texted her again:

 

Paul: You look good in this.

Paul {Attachment.jpg} 

 

He had included a picture that Keye had clearly taken that night of the three of them in the middle of the dance floor. Maya had her arm slung around Beck’s shoulder and the ring glittered in an opportunistic moment of light as the camera had captured them. 

 

Maya smiled and typed back quickly: 

 

Maya: Thank you, we had tons of fun but I missed you tonight. We’re back at the room now. Love you. 

 

“Headed to bed?” Becks said as she sipped her water and watched Maya carefully. Maya quickly set her phone down and looked up at Becks with an almost apologetic look. 

 

“Yeah, massages are in the morning. Don’t forget,” she said matter of factly coming around the counter to give Becks a kiss on the cheek. 

 




The next morning after their massages, Maya, Becks, and Keye opted to lay out on a secluded part of the beach. Keye dipped to go for a swim and Maya, seeing a moment open, turned to look at Becks who had undone her black bikini top and was laying on her stomach. 

 

“Becks,” Maya said softly in case she had drifted off. 

 

“Mmm?” she responded after a moment not lifting her head. 

 

“How are you feeling?” Maya broached. The ache her stomach had dulled somewhat but she wondered at how Becks had been fairing since they were in vastly different positions concerning their imprints. She could see Becks squeeze her already shut eyes tightly before opening them and looking at Maya carefully. 

 

“How would you feel?” Becks started. Maya sat up and leaned back against her hands looking out over the water. 

 

“Not good,” Maya said slowly, “I don’t know how it is for you, but Paul and I experience this growing ache when we’re apart for too long. For Paul….it becomes almost unbearable.” She looked toward Maya who was watching her carefully. 

 

“Yeah, something like that,” she said in a strained voice. 

 

“Becks….come on,” Maya said. Now she really knew something was wrong. Becks put an arm across her breasts as she leaned up and neatly refastened the straps. She mirrored Maya’s position and looked out toward the ocean before continuing. 

 

“It’s like….one minute I’m fine and the next minute….I’m on fire,” she heard Becks’ voice hitch in her throat and she swallowed hard to clear it before she continued. “Everything in me wants to split apart into a thousand tiny pieces and just….find him.”

 

“And do what?” Maya said softly. 

 

“And, I don't know, shake him? Ask him what’s his fucking deal? Ask him….why am I the last thing he wants?” She said this last part very quietly. Maya felt anger surge through her and she felt compelled to find Jacob now too, but she’d do more than just shake him. “Sometimes I…” 

Becks choked up at this and Maya stared at her intently now. 

 

“Sometimes I think about him...when I know I should be thinking about how much pain Jeremy is probably in,” tears were falling freely down her cheeks now, “But in every moment that I see Jeremy, I start to think about Jacob and how….and how at Paul’s party all I felt when I saw him was…” 

 

“Relief,” Maya whispered. Becks eyes shot up to look at her. 

 

“Yeah, and now that he just disappeared it’s like this fire is never going to go away. I hurt all of the time, My. All of the time,” she whispered barely over the sound of the waves, “And the one thing I know can fix it doesn’t even want to be near me.” Becks rubbed the tears angrily from her face now and Maya watched her, “And the real fucked up thing is that, I know I don’t want to see him. He’s clearly a fucking jerk and has his own fucked up shit he needs to work through. Running off with vampires?! Like what the fuck is that?!” She shot Maya an incredulous look, “But this imprint wants something else and I don’t know if I’m strong enough to ignore it like you were.” 

 

“I didn’t ignore it,” Maya said gently. Becks watched her, watery eyed. “I couldn’t. At least not for long. And Paul and I are scared shitless about being apart this fall.”

 

“Yeah, but that’s because you love him now.” 

 

“The imprint made it easier,” Maya said dismissively and then conceded, “But also yes, I love him so much and if we had somehow found one another independent of the imprint, I’d love him still.” Becks nodded and then after a quiet moment, she looked out over the horizon and said softly, 

 

“That’s terrifying,” Maya let out a huff of air as she said this, “Especially if it’s meant to be with someone who doesn’t want you back.” 

 

Maya wrapped her arm around her shoulder, “Just give it some time. We’ll figure this out,” Maya sighed and as she leaned her head on Becks’ shoulder, she could feel a knot in her stomach forming that told her she didn’t know if it would all work out. Not when it came to someone like Jacob. 

 

The next few days passed in a similar fashion. The girls took their time getting up in the morning, and usually hustling Keye’s one night stand out of the suite before enjoying breakfast in the room, down by the beach, or at one of the local spots. They did everything the resort had to offer: sailing, snorkeling, parasailing, jet skiing, lounging on the beach, going to shows, dinners, and getting massages. They did everything they could to distance themselves from the reality of the imprint, the reality that awaited them back in La Push. 

 

Paul had kept Maya looped in for the most part on their progress finding Jacob. He told her that he had stayed on the rez apparently, but had kept his distance. He’d even shown up at Sam and Emily’s once at his father’s request to talk things through with Sam’s pack. Paul did not elaborate on how this talk had gone but Maya got the distinct feeling from the look on Paul’s face that whatever it was, wasn’t good. 

 

“When are you coming home?” Paul asked her one night. She was laying down by the pool under the warm lights and wrapped in her robe. It had been a full week now since they’d got there. 

 

“Soon...I think. I don’t know. Are you feeling okay?” Maya asked. The ache had lessened for Maya which she found promising, but it seemed Paul was still feeling it. She watched him shift uncomfortably in their bed and he gave a great sigh. 

 

“I miss you. I miss not being able to touch you whenever I want or knowing you’ll be in bed when I get back from rounds,” He rubbed his eyes. 

 

“I know I miss you too. But at least you’ve been getting some work done at least, yeah?” she asked hopefully. Paul nodded and groaned, 

 

“I think I’m going to start on the extension for the house when you leave this fall. Work seems to be the only thing that can preoccupy me long enough and keep me from chasing after you, ” he gave her a smart smile and Maya laughed. 

 

“I think that’s a good idea. I’ll be back soon, babe, I’m just...playing it by ear right now. For Becks. Coming back to the rez, especially if Jacob is there is going to be a lot for her.” 

 

I know. I just worry that the longer you guys are away…” he trailed off and yawned. 

 

“The longer we’re away what?” she probed. 

 

“Nothing baby, just come back when you guys are ready. I’ll take care of it,” he said sleepily. 

 




On their tenth morning at the resort, Maya was having some coffee and breakfast out on their balcony and watching the waves. Becks had recently taken up surfing lessons in the past few days and would wake up before the sunrise and head down to the beach to practice with her instructor for a few hours. Keye was shut away in her room, sleeping off last night’s partying session with a bartender she’d met at the resort. 

 

Paul had been unusually quiet since their phone call the other night. Maya had tried texting him a few times but had only gotten cryptic replies. Her calls went straight to voicemail and she was starting to get edgy. 

 

Maya heard the door to their suite open and close, “How were the waves this morning?” she asked, turning in her chair to look over her shoulder. But instead of Becks, she was met with the towering figure of Paul standing by the kitchen counter, “Oh my god!” Maya couldn’t help the overwhelming rush of relief and butterflies that swept through her as she bounded out of her chair and bolted across the living room to toss herself into his open arms. He was smiling so big she thought his face would split in two. 

 

“What are you doing here?” she breathed happily, her arms wrapped tightly around his neck. When she pulled back to question him further, his lips were down upon hers in an instant. She let out a sight of pleasure as he set her on the counter so he could more easily access her mouth. He tasted like the forest, like home, and she welcomed it. His hands were running across her bikini clad body under the soft robe. She could feel him hard already between her legs and she smiled into the kiss. When his hands went to untie her bikini top, she stopped him, “Paul, Paul, slow down,” she breathed. He looked at her now, his face just inches from her, pure joy and relief coloring his face. “What are you doing here?” she said again softly, bringing a hand up to touch his face. He closed his eyes for just a second at the touch and then leaned up putting a hand on the back of his head, 

 

“Uhhh,” he said, clearly stalling. Maya’s eyebrow arched and she folded her arms in front of her chest to try and keep the anxiety from rising in her throat. 

 

Just then, Keye and the bartender came stumbling out of her bedroom. Paul’s head snapped toward him and he immediately stood more in front of Maya to block her from view. 

 

“Who the fuck is this?” he asked a little too aggressively. Yikes, that jealousy came out quick, Maya thought to herself. She put a hand on his forearm to calm him. Keye rolled her eyes and came over to the kitchen counter to grab some food, 

 

“We were just hanging out. Don’t throw a wolfy fit,” Keye shot back. Maya widened her eyes at her and then watched as Paul glared at the man who was buttoning his shirt with an awkward smile. 

 

“You need to leave now,” Paul said in a firm voice. 

 

“Uhh, he’s my guest, I can tell him when to leave,” Keye said, annoyed. 

 

“Now!” Paul almost boomed. The guy gave an awkward laugh and held up his hands in surrender as he walked toward the door. 

 

“Call me!” he said to Keye who gave him a wave. When the door clicked shut, Paul whirled on Keye. 

 

“What the fuck, Keye?!” 

 

“What?!” Keye shouted back, “I’m allowed to fuck whoever I want! I’m not a fucking imprint.” 

 

“I don’t appreciate you bringing weird dudes in here while my fucking girlfriend is sleeping in the other room!” he boomed. 

 

“Paul, chill,” Maya grabbed his hand and pulled him toward her, “We’ve been fine this whole time. Come here.” she pulled him into a hug and could feel him glaring at Keye over her shoulder. When she pulled back, she put both of her hands on his sides and said, “Now tell me, what are you doing here?” 

 

“Yeah, I second that,” Keye said between bites. Paul’s mouth was set in a hard line as he looked over Maya’s face carefully. 

 

“Paul?” Maya prompted. 

 

“Jacob’s here,” he finally said. Maya’s eyes went wide in shock. 

 

“WHAT?!” she yelled. 

 

“WHAT THE FUCK!” Keye echoed over her. Paul’s hands gripped tightly to Maya’s waist. 

 

“Is that why you haven’t been answering the phone?” Maya said angrily. Paul gave her a stern look and she dropped her hands to cross them in front of her again. “This is fucked up, Paul.” 

 

“He needs to see her,” Paul said, looking over her shoulder, not meeting her eyes. 

 

“Yeah, when she’s fucking ready!” Maya said and scoffed, pushing on his chest so she could hop down from the counter. 

 

“My!” Paul called after her as she went into the bedroom. He followed her and Maya dug in her drawers to find something to throw over her bikini, “Where are you going?” 

 

“To find Becks and warn her. You should have told me.” Maya seethed. 

 

“I came here to tell you,” Paul said, distressed. 

 

“No! You came here with him to spring this on us! You could have just picked up the fucking phone, Paul,” she tried to storm past him but he grabbed her around the waist and she squealed in protest. “Let go!” 

 

“Just wait a minute, My. Let me tell you what’s happening!” Paul pleaded as he held her tightly in his arms. 

 

“Oh, now you want to tell me what’s happening?!” She pushed against him but he didn’t let her go. 

 

“I needed to tell you this in person because it’s the only way it would have made sense,” Paul said cryptically and Maya groaned. 

 

“Let me go, Paul.” her face screwed up in anger. 

 

“My, please,” he said as she struggled in his grip again, “Stop!” When she finally managed to wriggle out of his grip, probably because he loosened his hold, she stomped toward the door. 

 

“Keye, let's go,” Maya said. But just as Maya slipped on her sandals, a knock sounded at the door that made her freeze. Keye and Maya looked at one another terrified. 

 

Paul moved past them to pull open the door and waiting on the other side was none other than Jacob Black. 




Chapter 33: When the party's over

Chapter Text

Anger is not an emotion I’m very familiar with. In my most recent history, the only times I can ever remember being truly angry were when Paul lied to me and when Jacob rejected Becks. And there was that one time in third grade when Henry Somen crushed a caterpillar I was watching in the grass during recess. So maybe I am familiar with that emotion more than I care to admit. But anger ebbs and what remains is unending compromise, concession, conceding fate. Paul better hope that Jacob was hit by a lightning bolt of truth to win over Becks though. Because all I see is red.


Keye let out a strangled noise of dissent as Paul moved out of the way for Jacob to come in. Maya was fuming, her arms crossed over her chest, hip pushed out, and hair billowing around her in a frizzy cloud from her skirmish with Paul. 

 

“Is she here?” Jacob rasped out, looking at no one else but Paul. Jacob looked ashen, like he’d lost his normal warm copper color, dark circles hung under his eyes and drooped his lids, and the amber hue of his eyes looked dull and clouded. Paul opened his mouth to respond, but was stopped by Maya’s interjection. 

 

“You shouldn’t be here,” she seethed. Jacob’s eyes narrowed at her and his mouth set into a hard line as he said through gritted teeth. 

 

“You shouldn’t have taken her away in the first place,” he shot back. 

 

“The absolute fucking audacity!” Keye squealed, her hands placed firmly on the counter as if she needed to hold herself up. Jacob shot her a look and Maya continued. 

 

“Fuck you! You’re the one who said you didn’t want her,” Maya’s voice was rising. 

 

“Maya!” Paul warned. His eyes were hard as he looked at her, an arm extended between her and Jacob even though they’d made no attempt to cross the room at one another. 

 

“What do you plan to do?” Maya egged him on. Paul let out a frustrated sound. Jacob faltered. 

 

“I just want to talk to her….to see her,” he managed to say. He glanced at Paul who gave him a conciliatory nod. It drove Maya nuts. Whose side was he on? 

 

“Well, what if she doesn’t want to talk to or see you?” Maya continued. 

 

“Then I’d like her to tell me that,” Jacob said. 

 

“And what? You’ll just leave? I’m not an idiot, Jacob. I know how imprints work. She doesn’t get to leave,” Maya said without thinking. She clamped her mouth shut and glanced at Paul who looked absolutely livid. 

 

“Aren’t you two supposed to be, like, the semi-stable couple?” Jacob said in a sarcastic tone. 

 

“Who said that?” Keye teased. Maya shot her a look and Keye averted her eyes. 

 

“The point is, you won’t leave her alone even if she asked. You can’t. So, I’ll ask you again, what are you doing here?” Maya said in a calmer tone. 

 

Before Jacob could answer though, they heard the clear beep of a key card being scanned in the door and suddenly Becks entered. Her short hair was half dry and the salt waved it in beautiful tendrils around her face. Her skin was glowing from the morning sun. 

 

Maya heard Jacob audibly swallow and Becks stopped in her tracks when she saw him. 

 

“What the—” she whispered, her eyes wide. Jacob was staring at her like she was the light in the dark. He swallowed again and managed to squeak out a: 

 

“Becks, please.” His arm barely extended toward her but Becks was frozen. Maya didn’t know what to do. Her heart hammered in her chest. 

 

“Becks?” she asked. Becks’ eyes shot to Maya and then she swallowed and nodded. 

 

“It’s okay,” she murmured looking back to Jacob. He relaxed just a little and then said, 

 

“Can we talk?” nodding toward the bedroom door. Becks stared him for a moment before she nodded and walked toward the room, with a glance in Maya and Keye’s direction. 

 

“What are you doing!?” Keye whispered angrily. The door clicked closed behind them and Keye groaned putting her head in her hands. Maya turned on Paul now who had his hands on his hips and was glaring at her. 

 

“We need to talk. Now.” he said with an edge in his voice. Maya looked at him and when he walked toward her to take her hand, she ripped it out of his grasp and hurriedly exited toward the hotel room door.

 

“Maya!” Paul called after her angrily. 

 




Jacob’s POV

 

When the door closed behind Jacob and Becks, he let out a sigh of relief. The fact that she even agreed to be alone with him in a room was a good sign. She had no reason to let him talk to her but he had hoped that she would. 

 

The minute Jacob had entered the room, her scent had filled his nostrils, the sweet, soft, smooth scent—she smelled like clean earth and jasmine flowers. It was intoxicating. All he could think about now, much like all he had been thinking about for the past 10 days, was finding his way to her, to see her again, to check and make sure that she was alright, to explain. 

 

But old habits die hard with Jacob. He’d been away from the reservation and his family for so long that he thought nothing tied him here anymore. But when he felt the intensity of the initial imprint with Becks rock him from his foundation, he had tried his hardest to run from it. That hadn’t worked out so well.

 

Now, as she stood in front of him, Jacob knew he had to play this right. He had to make sure he didn’t come on too strong, she was already hesitant around him even though he could tell that she felt the pull of the imprint too. 

 

“What do you want?” she almost whispered. Jacob’s ears perked up at the sound and his eyes dialed into hers, warm and soft. He wanted to reach out for her, touch her, pull her into his arms and feel that relief that was promised by the imprint but he knew he couldn’t. 

 

“I…” his throat felt dry. “Can we...start over?” he said gently. “I didn’t handle things well before and—” 

 

“You didn’t handle them at all,” Becks said, her eyes narrowing in pain. 

 

“I know...I just,” he held out his hand, “Hi, I’m Jacob. Some people call me Jake.” He stared at her, his eyes unreadable. Becks reached out and placed her small hand in his broad one. The touch sent a rippling wave of relief through Jacob and it took everything in him not to pull Becks to his body and wrap her in a hug. Becks gasped at the touch and Jacob couldn’t help but let a little smirk cross his face. 

 

“I’m Rebecca. My friends call me Becks,” she said after a moment. Everything about her drew him in and Jacob knew he was in for it. He moved her hand up and down slowly in greeting and felt his entire body relax, the tension draining from his shoulders somewhat under her appreciative gaze. God, he wanted to know what she was thinking so bad. She looked at him with curiosity, hesitance, and was that a little fear? She had no reason to fear him. It made Jacob want to take the step to close the distance and smooth the worry from her brow with his warm touch. 

 

His entire body felt like it was vibrating and for the first time in his life, he felt anchored to the spot, steady on always shifting ground. She held him in place and he wanted to thank her for existing. He scoffed at himself internally for even thinking that. She’d think he was some kind of freak for sure, but he’d known his fair share of freaks to be easily accepted as one himself. He needed to say something, anything to this beautiful woman that held him to the earth, that brought life screaming back into color for him. 

 

“Nice to meet you, Becks,” he said gently. She gave him a tentative smile and it sent Jacob’s heart into overdrive. Fuck, I’m done for. He thought to himself. 






Maya hurried down the hallway and to the elevator, pressing the door for the lobby. The doors closed thankfully just as Paul got to them and she heard a bang on the elevator doors indicating he’d hit them with his fists when they closed. Maya crossed her arms and leaned her head against the wall as she descended into the lobby letting out a frustrated sigh. 

 

When the doors opened, she hurried across the lobby and out a side door hoping to lose him just for a minute to collect herself. But as she made her way down to the beach, she heard him shout after her as he sprinted across the lawn and down to the bridge leading to the beach. 

“Why would you bring him here?!” Maya yelled. 

 

“Let me fucking talk to you and I’ll tell you why, okay? Stop fucking running away from me,” Paul’s face was fixed into a hard frown and Maya tried to hold back the angry tears forming now, “Baby, please. Come here,” he pleaded, seeing the look of sadness on her face. 

 

“Start talking,” she said, holding a hand up to collide with his chest when he came close. Paul sighed. 

 

“A few days after you three left, we found Jacob. He wouldn’t let us come near him though and none of us could hear him except for Seth,” Maya’s eyes were furious as she watched him, “We backed off and left him with Seth for a while. Then Seth filled us in. Turns out, Jacob’s imprint was so strong with Becks that he’d been basically killing himself trying to get off the rez.” 

 

“What?” Maya said, confused. 

 

“You know how when you’re gone, you get that physical ache? And for me it’s like...ten thousand times worse?” he said. Maya nodded slowly. “Well, for Jacob it was literally like it was tearing him to pieces. When we found him that first day, he was in rough shape, My. I don’t know if it was because he’s been gone so long or if the imprint is just so strong or if it has to do with him being an alpha, but he wasn’t healing, he could hardly move, and he refused to phase back.” Maya was watching Paul carefully. He looked almost scared as if he wasn’t aware the imprint could do something like that. “We watched the situation for as long as we could, but when you didn’t come back after that first week, Sam and I worried what would happen to him if Becks didn’t come back to the reservation soon. I had to bring him here. I didn’t have a choice. It was the only way he’d phase back and not kill himself if I promised I would bring him to her.” 

 

Maya shook her head, the realization of how crazy this all sounded sinking in. “He didn’t want her. He rejected her at the party. He did that to himself!” Maya’s voice was rising. Paul had managed to pull her closer to him, his hands wrapped lovingly around her wrists as he nodded. 

 

“I know,” Paul placated, “But he can’t reject her. It’s just not...possible,” Paul said slowly. Maya scoffed and gave him a sarcastic smile. 

 

“Don’t we know that,” she sighed and leaned her forehead in to rest on his chest and let out a frustrated groan. Paul let out a breath and wrapped his arms around her back, “She has plans, like me. She’s going to Northwestern in the fall, Paul. She can’t stay here for him.” 

 

Paul kissed the top of her head and it soothed her somewhat, “I know. But you have to let her figure that out.” Maya craned her neck back to look up at him. 

 

“And what if she decides to reject him? Do you think Jacob would respect her wishes?” Maya asked this only because she knew that that had never worked for her and Paul. And if he was right about how intense their imprint was, it would be impossible for Becks to have a life without Jacob whether or not she wanted it. Paul stalled again, looking out over the beach and then back at Maya. She had her answer even before he opened his mouth. No. She wouldn’t be able to reject him. 

 

“Let’s go get everyone and grab some lunch,” Paul said. Maya nodded, resigned to her friend's fate and put her hand in Paul’s. 

 

Once they made their way back into the hotel room, Maya glanced toward Becks’ room. Keye leaned over the counter typing on her phone and glancing toward the room every now and then. 

 

“Are they still in there?” Maya asked. Keye bit her lip and nodded. Paul patted Maya’s hip and kissed her temple. 

 

“Give them a second. I’m going to take a shower,” he said as he strode off toward the master bedroom. Maya slumped down onto the stool in front of the counter and put her head in her hands. 

 

“This is fucked up right?” Keye questioned. 

 

“Super fucked up,” Maya looked toward the door again. She couldn’t hear them but she couldn’t help but worry. 

 

At lunch, they decided that they would return to La Push tomorrow morning making tonight their official last night. Paul seemed glad to be returning home with Maya in tow and Keye seemed indifferent. Jacob stayed as close to Becks as possible without physically touching her. Maya watched him with a stern expression which caused Paul to laugh at her more than once. 

 

“My, chill,” he whispered as he sat next to her at dinner that evening. She had realized she was glowering at Jacob. Jacob hadn’t noticed either, his head was bent toward Becks in conversation and they seemed to be enjoying themselves. Paul was squeezing on Maya’s thigh. She took another swig of her drink and tried to ignore the rush of warmth she felt between her legs as he trailed his fingers up the length of her inner thigh. She was wearing a tight white skirt with a coral bandeau top. She’ld pulled her hair half up and it billowed out around her in waves. 

 

They’d all decided to go to a club together and Maya, walking hand in hand with Paul while the others walked ahead of them, glanced down at her feet for a moment. Paul brought her hand up to his lips and kissed it softly. He took a moment and rotated her hand in the light catching the shining brightness of the faux diamond ring. Maya had forgotten to take it off for the night since she had made it a habit of slipping it on her ring finger before going out each night since they got there. 

 

“What’s this?” Paul asked, amusement clear in his voice. 

 

“Boy-be-gone,” Maya said, bringing her right hand over to take the ring off, “But since you’re here, it’s kind of redundant,” as she went to slip the ring off, he stopped her. 

 

“Nah, you should keep it on,” his eyes twinkled in the lamplight of the street they walked down. Maya gave him a knowing smile and shook her head at him, “In case we get separated tonight.” Maya scoffed, Right, like that would happen. Paul had been glued to her since he got there. 

 

As they headed into the club, the lights and music began to pulse and take shape around them as they headed down the hallway toward the main area he looked down at her, “It looks good on you,” he said close to her ear, his arm firmly wrapped around her. Maya smiled up at him and he leaned down to snag a quick kiss before they spilled out onto the dance floor. 

 

DAncing in the club with Paul was a new experience for Maya. He held her close at all times, his hands on every part of her body and the intensity at which she felt their bodies rub together as they danced made Maya’s pulse race. She always had a fresh drink in her hand and it was refreshing to not have a random, sweaty dude push up against her every five minutes that she had to evade. Because of Paul’s size, people gave them a lot of space for which Maya was grateful. And even though her head was spinning from the alcohol and intoxicating kisses Paul planted on her as they danced, Maya couldn’t help but glance over at Becks every now and then. Jacob was tucked away by the bar, watching her carefully as she danced with Keye. Maya could clearly see the muscle in his jaw twitch as he watched her hips dip and sway to the music. 

 

Paul increasingly tried to distract her by moving her away from Jacob’s line of sight, but they found themselves gravitating more toward the center of the floor where Becks and Keye danced. At one point, Paul frustratingly grabbed Maya’s ass and dipped his head down to her ear. 

 

“That’s enough,” he said in a gruff voice. Maya raised an eyebrow at him defiantly and she saw a sharp glint of control pass over his face. Her heart raced and her lips parted momentarily. When Maya involuntarily glanced toward Becks again, Paul pulled her off the dance floor in one quick movement. He tugged her down the darkened hall toward the bathrooms where the music pounded dimly through the walls. Maya let herself be tugged and when Paul turned quickly and then pressed her against the wall, she gasped. His lips were down on hers roughly in an instant and her hands shot up to brace themselves on his chest. Paul hurriedly kissed her mouth and moved his head down to her neck, biting and sucking in earnest. Maya let out soft moans that couldn’t be heard over the music but a heat pounded between her legs that she knew Paul would discover as his hand rode up the inside of her thigh. 

 

“Come on,” he said roughly, grabbing her again and pulling her after him. He stomped toward the men’s bathroom and when Maya tried to protest, he pressed her to his side and basically lifted her off her feet. Once inside, he beelined it toward the back. Only a few people looked their way and once he slammed the door shut Maya couldn’t help the excitement rising in her. This rough, needy side of Paul was something she didn’t get to see often. But even in this state, he was always so careful with her. He lifted her up and pressed her back against the cold wall. She wrapped her legs around his torso and bucked her hips against him as his mouth dropped to kiss along her collarbone. When a little moan escaped her lips he raised his head. The music was far quieter in the bathroom and someone would definitely hear them if they weren’t careful. 

 

Paul lifted a finger to his lips to quiet her and she bit her lip and nodded. He moved the same finger across her lips and slipped it into her mouth. Maya closed her eyes and felt herself shiver with excitement. He slipped his finger from her mouth and immediately dove it down between her thighs and under her panties. Maya gasped and Paul shook his head at her as he placed a second finger in her, curling and pressing. Maya’s eyes fluttered close as she relished in the way he always made her feel. When she felt herself pulsing toward climax, she opened her mouth and eyes in an inaudible sigh. Paul watched her intently, a greedy smirk on his face. 

 

“Please,” she whispered. That was all he needed. He took his fingers out and unbuckled his pants quickly, pushing her panties aside and sliding all the way into her in one thrust. Maya let out a loud cry and threw her head back as Paul started to thrust into her, her back sliding up and down the wall. 

 

“Shhh,” he chided, “You need to be quiet, Maya.” His lips were on her throat again and Maya tried her hardest to keep her lips clamped shut. He filled her so well and the fact that someone might hear them only made her wetter with anticipation. Paul was huffing with desire as he pumped into her harder. When she let out another low moan after he pushed into a particularly sensitive spot, his hand shot up to cover her mouth. Her mouth and nose were swallowed under his large hand and Maya felt her entire body hum with pleasure. All of the irritation and worry that she had felt for Becks these past couple of weeks melted away and as she moaned gently into his hand, she saw the proud and possessive look in Paul’s eyes as he pushed into her. This was quite literally the most outlandish thing they’d done yet as a couple and Maya could tell Paul was thrilled. 

 

“Fuck,” he whispered as Maya continued to eek out little moans under his hand. He slammed into her, the quick slick slapping sounds clearly audible throughout the bathroom and as Maya felt her legs grip and shake as she found her release, Paul exploded inside of her. Maya was panting under his hand and when he dropped it she gulped down air. He had cummed in her so much that he was already leaking out around her before he’d even pulled out. “You are incredible,” he said softly, running a hand down her face and kissing her lips around her panted breaths. Maya giggled and when he slid out of her, she immediately felt him drip out of her and onto the floor. 

 


Becks POV

 

Becks had seen Paul tug Maya away and for a moment she thought about going after them. But instead, her eyes fell on Jacob who was watching her very intensely from his place at the bar. She felt her heart give off a quick thud, thud and closed her mouth that had fallen open in involuntarily surprise. 

 

He had watched her all night and normally Becks would have felt put off by some guy staring at her for so long, but Jacob’s gaze put her at ease. Keye was trashed and had turned to make out with some random guy who had made his way toward them. Becks stood stock still in the throng of dancing, sweaty bodies on the dance floor, her eyes connecting with Jacob’s. She wasn’t sure what he saw there, but in one short jerk, he had stood up from his leaning position and walked toward her. Her heart beat increased and when he stood in front of her, she tried to swallow the rising want that she knew was clear on her face. 

 

“Can I dance with you?” He asked loudly, leaning toward her carefully but not touching her. Becks’ eyes widened slightly at the question and then she nodded. Did I just say yes?! She thought to herself. 

 

Becks found so often that her responses to Jacob seemed to come from a place of instinct rather than from a decision she actively made. She had never been an impulsive person before, but every move she made that brought her closer to Jacob felt reckless but right. He wound an arm around her waist and pulled her a little closer to him. Becks’ lips parted in surprise again but she didn’t pull away, she didn’t even tense. 

 

Her body gave off that thrum that she was starting to recognize was a response to Jacob. It was like a warm hum she could feel in her body, like being out in the sun after staying inside for a long time. She searched his eyes for some sort of clue as to what he was thinking, but he still was unreadable. Carefully, Becks raised her arms and draped them over his shoulders. 

 

He was swaying her gently to the pulsing, quick dance music but Becks didn’t care. Everything had felt so fast with Jacob before—how he had imprinted, how he had run from her, and now how he had come back to her. But this felt slow and easy. She felt his relief at getting to touch her, be this near her, and she wanted him to have more of that relief. Everything in her body wanted him to be happy. And in that moment, Becks knew that this was it. While the imprint might not have felt fair to her at first, she saw no other path that she wanted to take. As tightly as it held Jacob in place, Becks felt it hold her in place too. And the weirdest part was that she didn’t mind it. Not if she got to bring Jacob relief, see the hard features of his face and the frown in his lips disappear with just a look. 

 

“Is this okay?” he asked, again over the music. His other hand not wrapped around her waist was stroking up and down her arm that she had laid over his shoulder, sending goosebumps shooting up her arm. 

 

“Yeah,” Becks said, nodding. She gave him a shy smile and his face lit up. One look and his face completely changed. It made Becks gasp in surprise. The warmth and joy that colored him quickly as his lips turned up into a grin made her take an automatic step forward, pressing their bodies together. Jacob tightened his grip on her waist in response as they continued to sway. Their faces were close now, too close and Becks wasn’t sure if she was ready for this part. Her fingers absently stroked at the back of his neck. But he made no attempt to close the small distance between them to connect their lips. Instead they stared intently at one another, relaxing under the relief that the imprint gave them as if a weight had been lifted. 



Chapter 34: What the council expects

Chapter Text

The end of summer always leaves me feeling a little sad. The trees droop under the exhaustion of heat and the flowers exhale their last push of petals before they will inevitably return back to the earth. Animals start gathering and working for winter. Still, the death of summer leaves no sweet taste in my mouth. The warm nights and long days give way to chilly nights and cold slush rain that grips your feet. But warmth is never far from me anymore.

 


 

The flight back to Seattle was comfortable with Paul sitting next to her. Maya slept most of the way home, not wanting to seem like she was trying to listen in on the on and off conversation Becks and Jacob were having with one another. It seemed that they were easily warming up to one another thanks to the magic of the imprint. 

 

Maya was trying to do what Paul told her and let Becks take the lead on this but something continued to gnaw at her long after the frowns and irritation ebbed from Jacob’s demeanor. The question still hung in the air for her: Why did he leave with the cold ones? It made her worry for Becks, and worry what Jacob was capable of in the future.  

 

Paul kissed her forehead and squeezed her arm to wake her once the plane started to land. Maya rubbed her eyes and looked at Paul sleepily. He extended his broad hand and cupped her cheek, caressing it softly with his calloused thumb. 

 

“Just one last bit and then we’re home,” he said. Maya nodded and yawned. She looked over her shoulder and saw that Becks was asleep on Jacob’s shoulder and his head was leaned gently on top of hers, his eyes closed in apparent sleep. Maya let a nervous shiver run through her and threaded her fingers through Paul’s. He was looking out the window so he hadn’t seen the frown pull over her face when she watched Jacob and Becks for a moment. 

 

After they had taken the short biplane back to the Quileute local airport, they were greeted by Embry and Quil. Maya couldn’t help but smile at the two men who had eager smiles stretched over their faces. 

 

Embry had brought Paul’s forerunner and Quil had brought his refurbished land rover to help get everyone home. 

 

“Keye? You need a ride?” Maya asked as Paul climbed into the driver’s seat. Keye shot Embry a look and he grinned back wildly. 

 

“Nah, I’m good,” she shrugged and walked over to Quil’s car. Jacob was giving Becks a quick hug and tugging off his shirt as he and Quil jogged off toward the edge of the woods. Maya pursed her lips and sunk into the passenger seat, watching Becks through the windshield. Becks gave her a small wave and then climbed into the backseat of the land rover as Paul reversed and steered he and Maya toward home. 

 

Maya leaned her head against her hand and stared out the window. Paul’s cell rang and he glanced at Maya, lost in her thoughts, before he answered. 

 

“Hey Michael. Yeah, we just got back to La Push. Maya and I are headed back to the house. Did you get the estimates from Henrikson yet?” he asked. 

 

As Paul started talking business with Michael on the other end, Maya let her mind wander as she tried again to figure out what Jacob’s motivations were to leaving La Push for so long. 

 

Had it been love? Desperation? He’d broken off from Sam’s pack which had isolated him, but for what purpose did he want to leave in the first place? She couldn’t place why he even would have needed to break away from his pack. They were stronger together. And then there was Leah Clearwater. Maya had never met her but Seth and her seemed close enough. He never avoided her as a topic of conversation at pack dinners. Still, she and Seth had joined Jacob and only Seth had come back. What did that mean for Leah? Maya glanced at Paul and tried to conceal any emotion that would give her away. She wondered if Paul would tell her what the deal was with Leah, let alone Jacob. 

 

When they arrived at the house, Paul was still on the phone with Michael. He gave Maya an exasperated look and nodded her toward the front door while he went around to the trunk to grab her suitcase for her. Maya unlocked the front door and breathed in the familiar smell of her home. She pulled off her sandals and let out a sigh as she walked upstairs to their bedroom. She plugged in her phone and immediately lit up with a new text message. 

 

Emily: Welcome home! Pack dinner is this Thursday. Can you and Paul make it? :) 

 

Maya let a small smile creep over her face and checked her and Paul’s calendar. He wasn’t leaving for Seattle for another week so they could easily swing it. 

 

Maya: Thank you! And yes, we’ll be there. Good to be home.

 

She tossed her phone on the bed and wandered toward the shower. After relaxing her tense muscles under the hot water, Maya finished up. She was surprised Paul hadn’t come in to join her but upon entering the bedroom, she saw him propped up against the headrest, his broad muscled chest on display and his laptop on his lap. Maya plopped down on her stomach in the bed next to him only wrapped in a towel. He glanced at her and then quickly back to his screen. 

 

“Just a second,” he said quickly. Maya groaned and laid her head down on the mattress. 

 

“Pack dinner is this Thursday,” Maya mumbled into the mattress. For a moment all she heard was the clacking of his computer keys and then, 

 

“To welcome the new imprint,” he said easily. Maya’s eyes shot open wide and she leaned up on her forearms to look at him in shock. 

 

“I didn’t even think about that,” she said, stunned. Paul glanced at her worriedly. 

 

“Don’t think about it too much,” he said, perturbed. Maya made a sound of annoyance and dropped her head back onto the mattress. Becks was the new imprint. That was such a weird thing for her to grasp. It was true but the last two weeks felt like a weird dream to Maya. When Paul finally slapped his laptop closed Maya leaned back up resting her chin in her hands. 

 

“So what’s his deal?” Maya bridged. Paul rubbed his eyes and then looked at her, a tired expression on his face. 

 

“What do you mean?” he finally answered with a sigh. 

 

“Jacob. What’s his story? Why did he become a one-man pack?” Maya probed. Paul looked at her carefully and then shook his head. 

 

“It’s a long story,” he answered. Maya frowned. “Not tonight, please. I’d love to talk about literally anything else other than Jacob and this mess of an imprint. Please,” he said. Maya rolled her eyes dramatically. 

 

“Okay, like what?” she shot back. Paul leveled her with a wanting stare. Maya felt the heat rush to her cheeks and he gave a little smirk of triumph. 

 

“Like...how great your ass looks in a bikini. Or how we still have to get everything together for your move in less than a month. Or how Keye is definitely sleeping her way through the pack,” Maya laughed at that last one. “Anything else.” Paul said sarcastically. Maya sighed and looked at Paul with narrowed eyes for a second sizing him up. 

 

“But like, he just left?!” she said. Paul groaned loudly and before Maya could laugh, he lunged for her making her shriek. He grabbed her by the forearms and pulled her up toward him, yanking the towel that covered her damp body off of her. 

 

“Enough,” he said softly, giving her a charged look. Maya tilted her head in challenge and the mischievous light in Paul’s eyes ignited. He could tell now that she was messing with him but instead of letting her go he tightened his grip on her forearms and brought her face close to his, letting his lips lightly trace across her lips. “Get on your knees and face the headboard,” he said softly with a growl. Maya shivered trying to move her face closer to feel his lips press onto hers, but he held her at bay, “Now.” he loosened his grip on her arms and Maya shuffled her body so that she sat up on her knees and faced the headboard. Paul got up and took his briefs off before coming up behind her. Maya felt him hard against her ass cheeks. He pressed his chest to her back letting his length rest between her legs as he wound his arms around her stomach. One hand came up to take her breast in his hand, rolling her nipple between his thumb and forefinger. Maya opened her mouth in surprise and let out a gasp of air. His other hand snaked down between her legs and spread her folds. Maya let out a relieved groan and Paul's mouth came to her shoulder biting gently. 

 

“Let’s just focus on us for a bit,” he demanded. Maya nodded and when he tugged at her nipple, she let out a cry of ecstasy. Maya opened her legs wider for him as he dipped a finger into her. She threw her head back against his shoulder and he sucked at the pulse point on her neck gently. Maya bucked her hips against his hand and when she begged for him, he wrenched his fingers from her and leaned her forward so that her upper body and face were pressed into the headboard. He lined himself up with her center and slid inside of her with a pleased groan. He steadied her with his hand on her shoulder and another on her hip as he guided her forward and back onto himself. Maya squeezed her eyes shut as pain and pleasure simultaneously shot through her. He’d only ever been this deep inside of her once before. As he slapped against her, his grunts becoming more feverish, Maya braced herself against the headboard. 

 

“Cum for me, Maya,” he said in a gravelly voice as he edged himself. Maya sucked in a breath and said, 

 

“I don’t think I can, you’re so deep.” At this, Paul slowed his pace, wrapping his arm around her chest and pulling her up so that her arched back was pressed against his chest. 

 

“Of course you can, baby,” he said gently, kissing on her neck now. The hand that had squeezed and pulled at her hip floated between her thighs again and started to expertly rub at her sensitive nub. Maya, thoroughly overstimulated, placed a hand behind her to rest on Paul’s thigh. He stilled his thrusting and worked gently at her now. “Move when you’re ready,” he commanded. Maya could feel him twitch inside of her and after a couple of minutes of his hand stroking her, Maya raised and lowered herself onto him at a slow and steady pace. He groaned when she started to move but didn’t move his hips forward, letting her set the pace for them. 

 

Soon, Maya was panting, rocking and rolling her hips against Paul’s as she finally reached her end. When she did, she collapsed forward onto the bed, the side of her face connecting with the mattress. Paul, still behind her, gripped her hips and started to thrust into her again so he could finish too. It didn’t take him long with her in this position and with one final thrust that made Maya’s eyes roll into the back of her head, he filled her. 

 

When he pulled out of her, Maya collapsed flat on the bed, panting, and letting the aftershocks of pleasure ripple through her body. Paul laid down on his back next to her and immediately pulled her body halfway over his, wrapping his arms warmly around her and kissing the top of her head. Maya nestled her face into his neck and planted a soft kiss there eliciting  a hum of satisfaction from him. 

 

“You and me, My,” Paul said in a low voice. Maya’s breathing evened out and she felt sleep take her slowly. 

 

“You and me,” she said barely above a whisper before she drifted off to sleep. The last thing she heard was the click of his bedside lamp as he turned it off, washing them in darkness. 

 


 

The next morning, Maya sat with her feet tucked up under her on the bench seat at the kitchen table, sipping her coffee as Paul made them breakfast. Maya was scrolling through the messages in her group chat with Becks and Keye but neither of them had said anything. Maya glanced up at Paul’s naked back for a moment as he busied himself over some eggs before she typed a message directly to Becks. 

 

M: Everything okay? 

 

Maya stared at her phone until she saw the three little dots appear from Becks. She took forever to respond to Maya’s text and when she did, she hit her with a simple, Yes. Maya scoffed audibly and her eyes darted to Paul’s form. He didn’t turn to look at her though so Maya continued. 

 

M: Yes? Are you coming to the pack dinner on Thursday? Pretty sure Emily’s throwing it for you…

 

Becks: Yeah, I’m going. 

 

M: Are you free today? Do you want to go to Port Angeles and pick out dorm stuff? 

 

Maya wanted to believe Becks when she said she was okay, but without her in front of her, there was no way to know. Still, even if she wasn’t okay, Maya wasn’t sure what she could do about it. The imprint had decided her fate, both of their fates, but she hoped the Becks hadn’t given up the course of her life just yet. Maya stared at her phone waiting for Becks to answer. 

 

“My,” Paul said, snapping her from her laser focus. He was standing next to her, holding her plate. Maya looked up at him and gave him a small smile. She leaned back and he set the plate down in front of her before sitting across from her. Maya checked her phone again. Paul glanced at it too and then watched her face. “What are you up to today?” 

 

Maya sighed and picked up her fork, pushing her eggs around her plate, “I don’t know yet. I was thinking about taking Becks to Port Angeles to look for dorm room stuff.” She glanced up and saw Paul was actively not looking at her, an unreadable look on his face. 

 

“Why don’t you ask Sadie or Keye to go with you instead?” he said cryptically, clearly keeping his voice as even and calm as possible. Maya narrowed her eyes and put a scoop of scrambled eggs in her mouth. 

 

“Because I asked Becks to go,” Maya said stubbornly. Paul looked at her now, that cool mask still in place. 

 

“Becks should probably stay on the rez for a bit,” he said. Maya set her fork down with a clatter. 

 

“Why?!” Maya said already amped. Paul sighed and tucked into his food more. When Paul didn’t answer, Maya pressed, “Paul?” 

 

“Jesus, My,” Paul said with a tinge of annoyance in his voice. Maya raised her eyebrows at him in surprise and he looked at her apologetically, “The council wants to meet with Jacob and Becks today.” 

 

“About what?” Maya asked, trying to keep the annoyance out of her voice. Paul shrugged, “Oh please, you know.” She pushed away from the table, leaving her food mostly untouched and Paul followed her with his eyes. 

 

Maya climbed the stairs to their bedroom and tried to calm down. She was so thrown off by everyone’s calm resignation to Jacob and Becks’ imprint, but something about it irked Maya. Was she projecting? Or was it just intense worry for Becks? Her friends had watched her go through the turmoil of her imprint with Paul and she just didn’t want that for Becks. It had been enough for Maya to go through it. Plus, Jacob felt so unpredictable to Maya that it worried her even more. 

 

She needed to get some distance from it, at least for a little while. Becks hadn’t texted her back and she took that as her answer. Maya donned some cuffed jean shorts, a black lace bralette and a loose fitting cropped cardigan that buttoned at the front. It was a little more revealing than she would normally opt for to visit Port Angeles, but if she was being honest, she didn’t really care. After pulling on her sneakers and grabbing her bag by the front door, she scooped up the keys to Paul’s forerunner. The house was quiet, which meant Paul was out in his workshop. Maya stomped out to the car and slid into the driver’s seat determined to get the hell out of here just for a little bit, just to clear her head. Once she shoved the key into the ignition, she paused, glaring at the front of the house. 

 

With a groan, she hopped back out, leaving the door open and cutting back around the house. Just because Maya was a stubborn mess at the moment didn’t mean Paul deserved to worry. When she rounded the corner to the backyard, she saw him bent over a piece and hand planing the edges in slow, measured movements. As she crossed the backyard he spotted her and stood straight, glancing down to brush off the excess shavings. 

 

“I’m heading to Port Angeles for a bit,” Maya said. Paul looked at her carefully. 

 

“With who?” 

 

“Myself,” Maya said, her lips in a firm line, “I just need to clear my head.” Paul stepped around the table, dropping the hand planing tool. Maya crossed her arms in front of her, a frown coming to her face quickly. Paul laughed and placed his rough hands on her cheeks. 

 

“Do you want me to come with you?” he said gently, his warm eyes causing her to melt. She dropped her arms and placed her hands on his sides. Maya thought about it for a moment. It would be nice to have Paul as company but she really did need some space. 

 

“No, it’s okay. I won’t be gone for very long,” she promised. He kissed her forehead and nodded. 

 

“Okay. Keep your phone on you.” he said with an edge of seriousness to his voice. 

 

“Mmhmm,” she complied. When he let his hands fall from her face she gave him a small wave and headed back toward the car. She thought she heard him on his cell phone for a brief moment before she was too far away to hear but as she slid back into the driver’s seat and took off down the main road leading out of La Push, she rolled the windows down and let the air blow her worrying thoughts away. 

 

Once she got to Port Angeles, Maya felt an invisible weight lift off of her unexpectedly. She already felt a little better and she was honestly surprised that Paul let her disappear to Port Angeles alone. It felt freeing, like a sign of things to come. 

 

She spent the rest of the morning in and out of home decor shops around town picking out a new sheet set, duvet, lamp, shelving, and some small decorations. Once the afternoon hit, Maya wound her way through some local boutiques, picking up some new pieces for her wardrobe before stopping at the Wharf for some lunch. 

 

When she checked her phone as she sat at the bar of one of the restaurants tucked into a corner of the Wharf, she was blissfully surprised to see no new notifications. She sent Paul a text to tell him she was having lunch and would be heading home soon and thanked him for the space. 

 

Paul: Of course. Can you do me a favor and pick up a part for me? I’ll send you the directions and tell them you’re coming. Would save me a trip. 

 

Maya: Yeah, I’ll grab it on my way back. 

 

Maya had been engrossed in her phone that she didn’t even realize the disheveled looking man who had plopped down next to her. The bar was mostly empty except for Maya, the bartender and an elderly gentleman at the other end of the bar, but this man decided to sit in the seat directly next to her. Maya let out a breath and tried not to internally groan. The man looked like he was in his late twenties and worked down by the docks. He was in light blue coveralls and his face was smudged with grease. 

 

Maya shut her phone and turned back to her beer and food trying to give off as much of a prickly vibe as possible. After he’d ordered a drink, he turned to Maya and gave her an overconfident smile. 

 

“I haven’t seen you in the Wharf before,” he said. His voice was grating with a little rasp like he had a cold. Maya sipped her beer and nodded, giving no verbal answer, and hoping he would take the hint. Unfortunately, this seemed to have the opposite effect. “I’m Rick, but my friends call me Dick.” He gave her a sickening smile and Maya raised her eyebrows trying to hide her obvious disgust. The beer on his breath did nothing to mask the sour smell emanating from his mouth and his constant glance down her cardigan to her breasts made her skin crawl. “Let me buy you a drink.” He said, turning toward the bar. 

 

“No thanks, I’m heading out anyway,” Maya said hurriedly. Her beer wasn’t even half finished and her food sat mostly uneatened. He had ignored her though and already called out to the bartender by name. Maya tried to make uncomfortable eye contact with the bartender to show she wasn’t interested in another drink, but her look went unnoticed. 

 

“Here you go, little lady,” he said in a condescending voice, setting the amber liquid in front of her. Maya started at it as if she didn’t know what it was. 

 

“Thank you but I’m not really thirsty,” she said. He gave a chuckle and placed his hand on her thigh just above her knee. Maya froze, her eyes wide with shock as she volleyed between standing up and throwing the drink on him or punching him in the face. Both didn’t seem like easy exit options. 

 

“Ah, come on, just one drink. I promise I’ll make it worth your while,” he said greedily, squeezing her leg now. Just as Maya opened her mouth to tell him off and yank his hand off of her, a large warm body squeezed into the bar between them causing the man Rick to withdraw his hand. Maya felt the familiar warmth radiate off the man’s arm that barred Rick from her. 

 

“This for me?” the warm voice said, humor dripping from it. 

 

“Hey man!” Rick started as the familiar face reached for the untouched beer and started to heartily gulp it down, “I’m in the middle of something!” 

 

“Ah, no you’re not,” he shot back with a laugh. Rick bristled and stood up annoyed. “I suggest you go sit at the other end of the bar now.” He said with a sharp tone Maya had never heard from him before. She couldn’t see the look he gave Rick but it was enough to have him skittering off down toward the end of the bar. 

 

“Embry, what the fuck,” Maya breathed as he sat in the now empty chair vacated by Rick. “What are you doing here?” She didn’t try to hide the grateful tone in her voice as her eyes washed over the warm and endearing face of Embry Call. He gave her a sneaky smile and a shrug before saying. 

 

“I was in the area picking up a part for my truck.” He said nonchalantly. Maya’s eyes softened and she let out a sigh of relief. “Looks like I made it in the knick of time.” he said, nudging her shoulder with his and gulping down the rest of the beer. 

 

“I would have been fine,” Maya countered, tucking back into her food. Embry sneaked a fry off of her plate and popped it in his mouth. 

 

“Maybe,” he said, taking another fry. Maya pushed the plate between them and held her beer up to her lips. 

 

“This works out perfect for me because I promised to pick up a part for Paul, so we can go together,” she said warmly. Embry shot her a strange look and then nodded. 

 

“Absolutely!” he said back. Maya watched him carefully for a moment and then took a chance. 

 

“You’re friends with Jacob, yeah?” Embry shot her a sidelong look and laughed. 

 

“Yeah, he’s one of my best friends. I’ve known him my whole life,” he said calmly. 

 

“And now?” Maya probed, eating a french fry. 

 

“And now what?” Embry said, confused. 

 

“What do you think of him now after he took off for years? Is he still your best friend?” 

 

“Of course he is,” Embry said but there was a secret edge to his voice that Maya picked up on. “Jake has had a lot of weird shit happen to him in his life. Him imprinting on Becks is probably the least weird thing to happen.” 

 

“What kind of weird stuff?” Maya saw her chance to get answers about this mysterious man who she didn’t trust from an unlikely source and chanced it. 

 

“Well, I mean the whole shifting to alpha when he was 17 was kind of wild to start. Protecting the Cullens. Falling in love with Bella, which I guess wasn’t weird at the time but even after she chose Edward he still couldn’t let it go.” Embry said, not trying to hide anything. It was refreshing. Maya’s mouth hung open in disbelief at the amount of information he just poured onto her in five seconds, “What?” he said, taken aback. 

 

“Nothing, I—” Maya shook her head, “He was in love with her? Bella?” she said the name uncertainly. “Is she a—?” Embry gave a snort and looked at the empty glass in front of him. 

 

“She is now.” he replied darkly. 

 

“Why would he go with them? I don’t get it,” Maya barely whispered. Embry shrugged, clearly hurt by Jacob’s actions as well. 

 

“He did what he needed to do at the time. I don’t know if it was necessarily the right thing or the best thing, but he felt like he needed to do it,” Embry said, “I don’t hold it against him. I’m just happy to have him back.” Maya smiled and put a hand on Embry’s shoulder. 

 

“Of course,” she said, “He is...back, isn’t he? The old him I mean? The Jacob you knew?” Maya seemed to trust Embry’s judgement of Jacob. 

 

“I don’t know if it’s the same Jacob, but parts of him are there. I see small slivers of it when he’s with Becks. So that’s a good sign,” he finished, “Come on, we better get moving, the parts store is gonna close soon.” Maya looked over her shoulder and saw the sleepy light of the afternoon upon them. She set some cash down on the counter and with one more scathing look down the bar at Rick, she followed Embry out. 

 

Embry drove them to the parts shop, knowing the way better than Maya and when they entered the shop, she smiled at the man at the counter. 

 

“I’m picking up for Paul Lahote,” she said sweetly. The man gave her a gentle smile and nod. 

 

“One second, Maya,” he said. Maya smiled at the comfort at which she felt from this stranger addressing her by name, knowing that Paul had let him know she was coming. 

 

“Do you want to tell him what you need?” Maya asked over her shoulder at Embry who stood with his hands on his hips. He scrunched up his face and gave a quick, 

 

“Nah!” 

 

But before Maya could question him further, the shopkeep was back with a box that held the requested part. She gave him a soft thank you and carried it out to the car. Embry climbed back into the driver’s seat and took them off down the road back toward La Push. 

 

“Needed a part huh?” Maya said knowingly as she stared out the windshield. Embry rubbed the back of his neck and threw her a smile. 

 

“Yeah, well,” he shrugged, giving her a noncommittal answer. 

 

“He’s unbelievable,” Maya muttered, referring to Paul. It was clear now that he had sent Embry to watch her just in case. 

 

“Hey, I came in pretty clutch though, you gotta admit!” he teased. Maya rolled her eyes and couldn’t help but smile. “Paul is gonna freak when he sees that that creep touched you though,” Embry said resigned. Maya looked over at him confused, “Wolf telepathy, remember?” Embry answered. 

 

Maya threw her head back against the headrest and groaned. This would definitely confirm to Paul that he wasn’t being overbearing by sending someone to look after her now that something had definitely happened. 

 

When they pulled into her driveway, Embry looked over at her and said softly,

 

“Go easy on him.” Maya shot him a look of mock shock. 

 

“Hey, I’m super chill!” she said sarcastically. This made Embry howl with laughter as he stumbled from the car and deposited the keys in her hand. She pulled him in for a quick hug and thanks before bounding off toward the front door. When she made it through the front door, quickly kicking off her shoes and dropping the keys on the table, she noticed Paul’s massive form blocking the light coming in from the back door as he stood outside on the porch. She walked over and pulled the door open and he turned in surprise. 

 

“Hey,” he said softly. She smiled up at him and then noticed two people sitting on the deck on the patio couch. 

 

“Hey,” Maya let her eyes rest on Jacob and Becks sitting together, Jacob’s arm was thrown casually along the back of the couch behind Becks. Becks looked like she had been crying. “What’s going on?” she asked softly, setting her hand in Paul’s. 

 

“They had a less than pleasant conversation with the council today,” Paul said, controlled anger thick in his voice. Maya looked up at him with a worried look on her face and he gave her a soft, reassuring smile. 

 

“Becks?” Maya said, looking at her.  She could see her face was plump and red from crying. 

 

“They can say whatever they want, it’s not going to change our plans.” Jacob said firmly. 

 

“I’m missing something,” Maya muttered looking from Jacob to Becks to Paul. Paul hesitated and then looked down at Maya. 

 

“They asked Becks to stay in La Push,” Paul said gently. Maya’s eyes went wide in shock. 

 

“What?” her voice was colored in disbelief. Becks brought a hand to her face, fresh tears falling now. Jacob leaned forward and grabbed the glass of water that was there holding it out to her. She took it and sipped. “What the fuck does that mean?” Maya said, growing angry. 

 

“Easy,” Paul said, sliding a hand around her waist and pulling her to him tightly. 

 

“It doesn’t fucking matter what it means, it’s not going to happen. She’s going to Northwestern, and I’m going to stay here. That should keep them happy,” Jacob shot back, matching Maya’s anger. Maya looked at him, grateful to have an ally in this at least. She gave him a nod and they shared a look of understanding. 

 

“But why would she stay here? What good would that do?” Maya asked the question to Jacob and he shut his eyes tightly, clearly annoyed. Paul shifted next to her. 

 

“They believe that if Becks stays, her and Jacob’s relationship will progress faster,” Paul continued in a calm, knowing tone. Maya was livid. They were doing the same thing to Becks and Jacob that they had done to her and Paul—putting so much pressure on them to be together at the start for their own weird agenda. 

 

“My dad asked me when the wedding was,” Jacob scoffed and then looked sadly at Becks. 

 

“Jesus!” Maya said, almost pulling out of Paul’s grasp to cross the deck and comfort Becks. But before she could, Jacob was already there leaning in and comforting her, placing his broad hand on her knee, and bending his neck down so he could meet her eyes. 

 

“Nothing changes, Becks,” he said to her gently. Becks nodded at him, holding his gaze before she looked at Maya. 

 

“Do you guys want to stay for dinner?” Maya said hopeful. Becks smiled and Jacob brightened at the look on her face. 

 

“Sure,” she said. Paul leaned down and kissed Maya’s temple. 

 

“I’ll help,” he said, guiding her back into the house to give Jacob and Becks a minute. 

 

They settled on roasting some chicken and potatoes, and while Paul and Maya worked seamlessly together in the kitchen Maya glanced out onto the porch where the couple leaned into one another clearly having an intense conversation. 

 

“Why does the council always think they can butt in like this? It’s fucking weird and archaic.” Maya asked, cutting the potatoes. Paul was seasoning the chicken he had spatchcocked and laid out on a roasting pan. 

 

“I think Chief Black feels like he has more control over Jacob because it’s his son. Whereas other members of the pack defer mostly to Sam’s input.” Maya gave him a sidelong look as realization dawned on her. “Plus, they’re all dying for us to have kids. The fact that just Sam and Emily have only had kids at this point bothers them.” Maya scoffed and shook her head. 

 

“That’s ridiculous. They really need to get out of the baby business. We’ll have kids when we’re ready,” she said. Paul turned his head and gave her a soft look. “What?” she asked, confused. 

 

“Do you want to have kids?” he asked in a curious voice. Maya was taken aback by the question. She dropped the cut potatoes around the chicken on the baking sheet and looked up at him sweetly.

 

“With you?” she teased. Paul laughed. 

 

“I mean, I hope,” he said. Maya paused and let a smile bloom across her face before she continued.

 

“Yeah, I do. Only with you though,” she teased. He leaned down and kissed her lips before sliding the pan into the oven. 

 

“Good,” he said simply. But Maya could tell that he swelled up with joy at just the thought of having kids with her. Before she could tease him about it though, he washed his hands and turned to her, resting against the counter and crossing his arms, “I need to run something by you.” 

 

“What’s that?” Maya said, washing her hands and drying them off on the kitchen towel. 

 

“Jacob needs to stay here for awhile. It would take the pressure off of him getting out of his dad’s house while he figures out where to live and gets his garage up and running,” Paul said matter-of-factly. “Would you be okay with that?”

 

“Of course!” Maya said, “You don’t need to ask my permission, this is your house.” Paul raised an eyebrow at her and crossed the kitchen taking her in his arms. 

 

“This is our house,” he emphasized. Maya chuckled and rolled her eyes. 

 

“Oh right,” she brushed off. 

 

“No, My. This is our house. Yours and mine,” Paul said. 

 

“I know, I know. Our house. You just happened to build it and pay for it and maintain it,” she said, patting his chest. He kissed her forehead. 

 

“Yeah, but you’re on the title so technically you own it,” he let his arms fall from around her and stepped back with a smug smirk as he went to the fridge to grab a few beers, heading toward the porch. 

 

“Wait what?! When did you do that?!” Maya said. Paul shrugged and pushed open the back door. She followed him out with a smile. This man.

 



Chapter 35: One last hurrah

Chapter Text

 

We’re on the precipice now and I’m really about to do it. I’m going to jump. Before I thought the wolf in my dreams was beckoning me forward, but I understand now that he wasn’t. The voice that I heard that said ‘wait’ wasn’t my own, but it was his. And still, I creep closer and closer to the edge. I’ve made my decision, even if the pull to walk away from the cliff and back to the comfort of the trees is so strong that it makes my teeth hurt. ‘Don’t come after me. Don’t follow me.’ I beg the wolf. But somehow I know he will. And as I finally hurtle over the side, into the unknown depths below, I hear a sister splash next to me and know that it will be alright. 




Jacob and Becks made quick work of the dishes following their dinner together. Maya was refilling her glass of white wine and Paul was upstairs freshening up before heading out on rounds with Jacob for the evening. Maya watched Jacob and Becks subtly out of the corner of her eye. They seemed comfortable around one another, even with just the short time they’d been around one another. Maybe Paul was right—maybe their imprint was so strong that they just clicked into place right away. Becks handed Jacob rinsed dishes and he placed them carefully into the dishwasher. Every once in awhile, their hands would brush and Maya noticed that Becks’ eyes would flicker up to Jacob’s face. 

 

Maya knew that heat, knew that feeling of shock. She tried to hide a smile and as Paul descended the stairs, he gave her a quizzical look. She shook her head and took a sip of wine, leaning back against the kitchen counter. Paul wrapped his arms around her for a moment and leaned down to give her a soft kiss. 

 

“Ready?” he said over her shoulder toward Jacob. Jacob absently touched Becks’ back and then quickly withdrew his hand as if he hadn’t realized what he was doing until he was doing it. 

 

“Yeah,” he said quickly, drying his hands and walking past Maya and Paul toward the door. Maya giggled softly and Paul gave her a wide eyed goofy look before whispering playfully, 

 

“Stop,” and kissed her again before following Jacob out the front door. Maya sipped her wine and gave Becks a knowing look, but her face was set in stone, trying desperately not to be read. 

 

“Want a glass of wine?” Maya offered. Becks let out a breath she had been holding and nodded. Maya handed her a freshly poured glass and the two went to sit on the couch. 

 

“How are you feeling….really?” Maya broached. She didn’t want to push Becks but she knew that the council meeting had really shaken her up. Becks rubbed her eyes and took a swig from her wine glass before saying with a hint of uncertainty in her voice: 

 

“It is what it is at this point.”

 

“Becks, come on,” Maya egged on. Becks always did this. Tried to put on a brave face and push onward. But Maya knew that wasn’t the extent of it. After a few solid minutes of silence Becks let out a loud frustrated groan as if she lost an internal battle with herself. 

 

“It’s fucked up!” she nearly shouted. Maya’s eyes went wide and she let out a little laugh. 

 

“Tell me more,” she said between giggles. 

 

“I don’t know, My,” Becks sighed, “I never expected something like this to happen.”

 

“Welcome to the club.” Becks rolled her eyes at this. 

 

“Yeah, I know just...everything with Jacob is just so intense. His dad’s intense, him being the alpha is intense, I can tell he’s trying to take it slow but everytime I look at him
I just see this….need.” Becks sipped her wine and stared off into space for a minute, “It’s kind of hard to ignore.” 

 

Maya raised her eyebrows in surprise, “Do you like Jacob?” Becks looked at her startled: 

 

“Of course!” Maya scoffed internally at the rushed easiness at which she said this, “I do, My. I really do. I mean it’s fucking intense and surreal, but everything just sort of makes sense when he’s around.” 

 

“Did they not make sense before or something?” Maya asked skeptically. Every time someone else talked about their imprint experience Maya couldn’t help but feel like something with her and Paul had to be broken. 

 

“No, I mean it did. My life was laid out like a fucking map. Northwestern is my dream. And Jacob complicates things, so it should be the opposite of making sense but I...Oh god, I sound fucking nuts,” she deflated. Maya reached out and touched her arm gently. 

 

“You don’t sound nuts. You like him. That's probably a good thing. Just don’t...let it get in the way of the other things you still want that have nothing to do with the imprint,” Maya said more for herself than for Becks. Becks looked at her seriously now. 

 

“Do you think I’m a horrible fucking person?” Her eyes were pleading and Maya screwed up her face in confusion. 

 

“What?! No! Why would I think that? Becks, you did not choose this imprint. It fucking chose you. And it is entirely up to you what you want to do with it. Do you….” Maya stopped herself and pursed her lips. 

 

“What?”  Becks prompted, “Do I what?” 

 

“Do you...want to be with Jacob?” Maya almost scrunched her face up in a cringe. Becks looked at her shocked and then the shock gave way to understanding and that gave way to serene calm. Maya knew the answer before Becks even opened her mouth—the look on her face said it. 

 

“I mean….yeah. I do. But that’s fucking crazy. I’ve literally spent less than 4 days with this dude!” she cried. 

 

“Yeah well,” Maya shrugged. She gulped at her wine and tried to hide the nervous energy on her face. “Have you told him that’s what you want?” 

 

“I mean, after what the council said today, I don’t know if he needs any added pressure. They were fucking brutal to him, especially his dad, I was...honestly shocked,” she said resigned. 

 

“Still doesn’t mean you shouldn’t tell him,” Maya replied softly. She didn’t even know why she said it. Everything in Maya was so nervous for Becks because this was something that scared her about Paul at the beginning. The need to be with him was so strong, but she had wanted it on her own terms. “What did the council even say? Paul as you know is very….brief.” Maya said with a tinge of annoyance. Becks laughed. 

 

“He’s protective. Fiercely protective of you.” 

 

“I don’t know why! All of the other imprints always know so much more than me.” Maya carried on. 

 

“Oh please,” Becks looked at her and when Maya gave her a confused look back, she continued, “He’s that protective because of you. You’re the one that pulled hard against the imprint—” When Maya opened her mouth to protest, Becks put a hand up to shush her, “—and rightly so! You have a lot going for you and you’d never let anything get in the way of that. But that’s why Paul holds back I think. He doesn’t want to put any more pressure on you than necessary so that you’re free to stay the course you’re determined to keep.” Maya sat in silence for a while with her mouth slightly opened. She’d never thought of it like that before. 

 

“Oh,” she said quietly. Becks laughed. 

 

“Keeping you out of pack stuff keeps you at arms length from it and from the pressure it brings. He’s doing you a favor,” she breathed out heavily, “Trust me.” 

 

“Okay, but I still want to know what they said,” Maya begged, “Exactly what they said!” 

 

“Okay, okay,” Becks conceded gently, “So we go in there and it’s all serious, you know how it is. And Chief Black has this big grin on his face and he goes….” 

 

“Jacob, Rebecca. Thank you for joining us,” Chief Black gestured to the chairs in front of the long council table. Becks looked up at Jacob expectantly. His lips were stitched together in a hard line and he nodded at her. Becks walked up and sat in the chair, her legs trembling slightly from nerves she couldn’t quite place. Being in front of the council always made her nervous. Seeing them was usually reserved for very serious matters and this felt serious. Jacob sat down next to her, crossing his giant arms across his chest. Chief Black gave him a knowing smile but the scowl remained on Jacob’s face. 

 

“We’ve heard some exciting news recently,” he continued. 

 

“Dad, cut the shit. I know you guys know I imprinted. What’s this about?” his voice was drenched in irritation and Becks had the urge to reach out and put a hand on his arm. But the eyes of the council bored into them intently and she refrained. Chief Black’s smile only faltered a bit before he continued in his warm, elegant tone. 

 

“We just want to formally congratulate you and tell you how excited we are for this match. You’ve been gone a long time, Jacob,” Chief Black’s eyes glinted with something—was it anger? Or maybe it was grief. “You should see this as a gift from the ancestors for returning to your home. To the people who love you and rely on you for protection.” 

 

Jacob shifted uneasily in his seat, his eyes dropping down the ground in a moment of guilt. Becks automatically shifted her body toward his in response before winding her hands tightly in her lap. This wasn’t going to be good. 

 

“I’m back now. So what is it we can do for you?” Jacob said, the jest clear in his voice. 

 

“We’re glad you asked,” Elder Mila said leaning forward. Elder Leo gave a wink and Becks was the one now to squirm in her chair. 

 

“We’ve asked you both here today to talk about your future. As your imprint, Becks has a new, important duty to this tribe. A layer of her life that she cannot ignore. And we want to be clear on our expectations of that role,” Chief Black looked to Becks now, intent and hungry. “Rebecca, you are incredibly lucky to have been imprinted on by my son. I welcome you with open arms into my family and know that you will be a wonderful partner for my son. But with the fall semester coming up and with your current plans to move out to Chicago for Northwestern, I must ask this of you as your Chief.” 

 

Becks’ eyes widened in anticipation, her breath completely gone from her.  Jacob uncrossed his arms and leaned forward, ready to pounce it seemed. 

 

“I’m asking you to forgo college this semester in exchange for staying here and growing your relationship with Jacob. It is vitally important that you two respect and indulge in the imprint in whatever way feels best. But you won’t be able to do that in Chicago.” 

 

“What the fuck!” Jacob seethed. Becks glanced at him, alarm painted clear on her face. Her cheeks were flushed red. “You can’t ask her that!” Jacob continued. Becks was frozen. 

 

“Jacob is considered an alpha and it would be unwise for him to leave La Push and his tribe so soon after returning. You have an obligation to him and to this community to ensure that the imprint goes smoothly.” 

 

“You’re fucking delusional!” Jacob said, starting to lean his body toward Becks to try and cover her from view. 

 

“Jacob, I’m speaking to Rebecca right now. She knows the importance of this imprint. It’s probably the most important imprint of this pack! She must know the consequences of her actions if she chooses to leave so soon after!” Chief Black’s voice was rising. 

 

“Dad, this is insane. She is a fucking person, she’s not some fucking dummy doll sent by the ancestors for my own gain!” Jacob stood now, “You won’t ask her to fucking stay and you won’t put pressure on us to be together. We decide that!” 

 

“You have made enough decisions. Selfish decisions that have only hurt us. This is about something bigger than you, bigger than Becks. This is about our survival. She will be asked to stay and progress your relationship,” Elder Mila butted in. Jacob looked absolutely furious but he wasn’t shaking. Becks opened and closed her mouth like a fish. What was she supposed to do? Stand up and scream at them too? But the worst part was, it wasn’t like Becks hadn’t already thought about this. Leaving for Northwestern felt….wrong. But she knew that was ridiculous. It had to be the imprint talking. But now that the council was leaning on that thought too, she was second guessing herself. 

 

“My decisions that I made for myself, whether you agree with them or not, were mine and mine alone. You cannot punish her because I’ve been gone for 6 years. I’ll stay here while Becks goes to Northwestern in the fall. End of discussion,” Jacob said fiercely. His hand hung by his side and Becks’ eyes were trained to it. In this moment, all she wanted to do was reach out and grab it. 

 

“She has a duty to this tribe and a duty to you as your imprint! This is more important than college. The relationship needs to progress so that you two can start a family and fulfill the imprint purpose!” Elder Leo shouted angrily. Chief Black’s face was set in a hard line. 

 

“Oh fuck off!” Jacob turned to Becks. Her eyes were filled with tears but she hadn’t realized when it had happened. “Let’s go,” he said gently, reaching out his hand. She took it quickly, letting her body swell with the relief it gave her to touch him. 

 

“Jacob!” Chief Black called as they made their way toward the door. Jacob stopped and looked over his shoulder, while pulling Becks behind him so they couldn’t see her, “You know what we’re saying is true. It will happen and would be in your best interest and in ours to follow our advice.” 

 

“Sounds like a bunch of bullshit to me. Stay away from us,” he said, firm and protective as he swiveled back around and placed a hand on Becks’ back to guide her out of the council house and away from them. 

 

“And then i just looked up at him and he shook his head and told me they were crazy and that nothing changes between us,” Becks concluded. Maya was full fire. She wanted nothing more than to storm over to Chief Black’s house and burn it to the ground. 

 

“How fucking dare they!” Maya said in an explosive whisper. “How dare they ask something like that of you! What just because Jacob imprinted you don’t get a life? Fuck that. I’m glad he told them to get fucked, they deserve it.” 

 

“I know, but I just don’t want things to be hard here for him. He just got back and things are still….fragile. I just—” 

 

“Wait...you’re not actually considering staying are you?!” Maya said rising to her knees in a panic. 

 

“No, no of course not! Calm down, Maya,” she said holding out her hand. Maya sank back onto the couch and let out a breath. 

 

“Jesus, don’t scare me like that,” Maya took another sip of wine, almost draining her glass and watched the flickering of emotions flit across Becks’ face. 

 

“I just know that when I leave, things are going to be tough for him. You saw what happened when we went to Hawaii for ten days. He was a wreck when he got to me. All ashen and wild looking,” Becks trailed off. 

 

“Yeah, but that was because he was fighting the imprint too. Now he’s okay with it. He’s okay with you. It won’t be like that again as long as you two stay in touch and see each other every once in awhile,” Maya reassured her. Becks finished her wine and set the empty glass on the coffee table. She didn’t look totally convinced. 

 

“I know. I’m just worried...about him,” she said. 

 

“Because you care about him. I get it. Just make the most of the time you’ve got left before the semester starts and you’ll figure it out,” Maya said. 

 

“I know,” Becks breathed, laying her head back on the head rest. “Life got complicated pretty fast.” 

 

“These imprints will be the death of me, I swear.” Maya murmured, “So are you two like….dating then?” 

 

“I don’t know,” Becks said softly, “Maybe? No? Not really? He seems content with us just being really close right now, but I think I want to.” 

 

“Then tell him you want to. Regardless of this council bullshit, it’s okay to feel your feelings. And the imprint makes that pretty easy. It’s a hard line directly to your heart, so follow that as much as possible.” Maya said. Becks smiled sadly, still unsure with the chaos that was this imprint and closed her eyes. Maya let the worry drench her face while she wasn’t looking. 

 

After Becks went home, Maya made up the couch in the living room for Jacob to sleep on. Paul had some renovations planned for the house this fall once she had left for college, one of them being building an extension onto the house to build a guest bedroom. But for now, Jacob would have to do with the wide couch. 

 

Once she was satisfied that it was filled out with enough pillows and blankets to be cozy, she climbed the stairs to their bedroom and changed into just one of Paul’s long shirts sans panties. She had little to no energy after her conversation with Becks. Well, that and the bottle of wine they polished off together before the end of the night. It didn’t take long to drift off to sleep, but it felt like no time at all before she was awoken by rough hands under her shirt and squeezing at her waist. 

 

Maya opened her eyes groggily. Paul was laid between her legs and had hiked her shirt up to expose her belly and lower half. His cheek was pressed against her stomach and his hands were gripped tightly on her waist and back. She could feel the tension in his body as he held onto her. 

 

Maya placed her hand in his hair and raked through it gently with her fingers. “Hey,” she said softly. When she didn’t get a response, she tried again, “Paul? Are you okay?” her stomach fluttered with nerves. Maya leaned over to turn on the bedside lamp and washed the top of his head in light. 

 

“Paul,” she said again, “Hey, look at me.” She gently tugged his face forward to look up at her. His grimace startled her, but it was filled with anger and hurt. “What’s wrong?” 

 

“Why didn’t you tell me what happened at the Wharf?” he said slowly. She could tell he was trying very hard to control the anger pulsing through him. Not anger at her, just anger in general. Maya sighed and smoothed her hand across his forehead. 

 

“Probably the same reason why you didn’t tell me that you had Embry follow me,” she said gently. When the hard and angry look didn’t ebb from his face, Maya continued, “Paul, I’m fine. I would have handled it with or without Embry’s help. It was no big deal.” 

 

“I don’t like people touching you,” he said darkly. 

 

“Yeah, I gathered that much,” Maya laughed a little. Paul pressed his forehead against her stomach and took some deep breaths. “You’re really upset about this, huh?” Maya said nonchalantly. 

 

“How am I supposed to protect you when you’re all the way in New York?” he said into her stomach. She could tell even through the muffled words that he was nervous. 

 

“Paul. Come on, we’ve talked about this. I’m going to be perfectly safe. I’m hardly ever going to be able to leave campus with my workload and you’ll be out there a ton!” Maya soothed. Paul’s face was still buried in her stomach and Maya threw her head back onto the pillows. “Becks told me exactly what the council said to her and Jacob today.” Maya’s hand was still in Paul’s hair. Paul didn’t say anything, “Did they say stuff like that to you too? Did they tell you to keep me here?” 

 

When Paul finally lifted his head up to look at her Maya gave him an expectant frown. “They told me in no uncertain terms that the relationship needed to be more than just friends and that I needed to make that expectation clear to you immediately. They didn’t exactly tell me to impregnate you, but I’m sure they would have if I hadn't left.” Maya ran her thumb across his eyebrow. 

 

“Would you ask me to stay?” she said quietly. Paul considered this for a moment and then kissed her stomach. 

 

“No. I couldn’t ask you to stay,” he looked back at her and Maya smiled softly. 

 

“Thank you,” she whispered. He nodded and then laid his head back on her stomach, wrapping his arms more comfortably around her. Maya turned off the light and fell back asleep. 


“You sure you don’t want to ride with us?” Maya said as she fitted the filigree comb into her hair to pull back one side of her hair from her face. She was donned in a ribbed yellow dress that fell to her feet with two slits up either side of the dress that rested just above her knees. 

 

“Nah, I’m gonna pick Becks up on my bike,” Jacob said nonchalantly. Maya grinned and tried to hide the knowing look on her face. 

 

“Ooooh the bike. Fancy,” Maya said. Paul descended the stairs loudly and came over to her holding out her grandmother’s black vintage watch. 

 

“Is this the one you were talking about?” he asked. Maya took it from him and fit it around her wrist. 

 

“Yes, thank you!” Paul slid his hand down her back and glanced over at Jacob. 

 

“See you there?” he asked firmly.

 

“Yeah, I’m out,” Jacob said quickly as he left out the front door. 

 

“You ready?” Maya turned to him as she fitted her small gold hoop earrings in and smoothed out the front of her dress. 

 

“Almost,” Paul said. Maya looked at him with a question on her face, “Do you want to fuck here or in the car?” he said, an eager smile on his face as he cupped her cheek. Maya let out a laugh. “Dealer’s choice.” 

 

“Paul, come on, we don’t have time. We’re already late,” Maya said, looking around for her slides. 

 

“I haven’t gotten to touch you in days!” he groaned. Maya could tell he was already turned on. 

 

“Yeah! No one’s stopping you babe,” she said as she found one of her slides slipped under the couch. 

 

“Uh, yes there is, and he’s a huge dude on my fucking couch,” Paul retorted. 

 

“Pau! You invited him to stay here!” Maya said aghast. 

 

“Yeah, but I didn’t realize sex wouldn’t be an option!” 

 

“It still is an option!” Maya shot back as she grabbed her bag. 

 

“I’m not going to let him hear us having sex. That’s not...going to go well for me,” Paul said a flash of possessiveness pulling over his face. Maya rolled her eyes. 

 

“Well, buck up then bud. We’re late and this is our last pack dinner before I leave in a few weeks. Come on,” she said as she pulled open the door and headed toward the car. Paul gave a frustrated noise and followed her, yanking open the passenger door for her before getting into the driver’s seat. 

 

The entire drive to Sam and Emily’s, Paul kept his hand firmly on Maya’s thigh under her dress. Maya was texting Keye who was out of town with her parents and filling her in on the updates with Becks and Jacob so she heartily ignored Paul’s firm squeezes and wanting glances. 

 

She desperately wanted him as well, but she knew he’d enjoy the excitement of building a moment between them. Maya wanted to pull that needy, hard look from him and she knew just how to get it. When they pulled into the clearing in front of Sam and Emily’s, he was thoroughly frustrated. 

 

“Come on!” Maya said as she laughed off the firm look he gave her. When they entered the house, it was already loud and light with laughter and shouting. Paul was hot on her heels, a hand placed tightly on her waist as they were greeted by everyone. Becks and Jacob hadn’t arrived yet. 

 

Maya looked around the room for Jeremy but when she couldn’t find him, she looked at Paul confused. Paul shook his head almost imperceptibly at her, confirming what she already knew—Jeremy wasn’t coming. She knew it was probably for the best, just this one time to give him some space from the situation, but it still made her heart ache.

 

“Maya!” Emily called to her from the kitchen. Maya beamed and pulled out of Paul’s grasp, to his utter disappointment, and crossed the room to wrap her in a hug. 

 

“Ohh! I can’t believe you and Becks are leaving so soon!” she cried. Kim was next, pulling her into a tight hug as well. 

 

“I know, it’s kind of surreal,” Maya breathed. 

 

“Are you all packed, at least?” Kim said, popping some spinach and cheese bites into her mouth. 

 

“Yeah, Paul and I shipped some stuff to my new dorm yesterday and I’ve updated my wardrobe. I’ll get all of my books and supplies when I’m there. But it’s going to be a whirlwind for sure. There’s still so much to do,” Maya confirmed. 

 

“Paul’s coming out though soon after, yeah?” Sadie was there now, pulling her into a hug and jumping into the conversation. Maya squealed and hugged her tightly. 

 

“He’s coming out about 3 weeks into September, so fairly quick. It will be the longest we’ll have been away from each other,” Maya pulled a face and Emily mirrored it. 

 

“Yikes, I don’t know how you guys do it,” Emily said, mixing up a salad in a giant bowl in front of her. Maya shrugged. 

 

“It’s not without effort,” she breathed. Just then, they heard hollers and whistles coming from the living room. Maya snapped her head around and saw Jacob coming through the door, followed closely by Becks who had a wide grin on her face and...her hand threaded into Jacob’s. 

 

“Finally! The prodigal son returns!” Jared crowed as Embry and Quil laughed. 

 

“Yeah, yeah, yuck it up. I assume you guys know Becks, right?” he joked. Becks smiled the biggest smile Maya had ever seen and leaned into Jacob. 

 

“Oh yeah, we know her,” Embry said, elbowing Jacob’s side. 

 

“Honestly, I feel like I’ve known her better than you at this point,” Quil jibbed. Jacob rolled his eyes. 

 

“Alright! Everyone, grab something and bring it to the table outside please,” Emily hollered across the kitchen. Maya grabbed two plates of rolls and followed everyone outside to the lantern lit backyard. 

 

Maya settled into her place next to Paul who draped his arm around her shoulder and pulled her in to kiss her cheek as Sam stood up to make his toast to welcome Becks. 

 

“Jacob, I just wanted to take a second before we welcome Becks officially to say that we’re happy to have you home. We know the past few years have been tough, but you’re back with your family and that’s all that matters. Now to the important part,” everyone laughed, “Becks, you were already a member of this family before, thanks to Maya, but now you are tied to us forever. Sorry about that,” he joked. Maya laughed in surprise and Paul’s eyes shimmered with joy as he laughed too, “So welcome and here’s to the next chapter of our pack—stronger and better everyday now that you’re all here!” He raised his glass and everyone followed his lead with shouts, hoots, and loud banging on the wooden table. 

 

Becks was easily tucked into Jacob’s side and Maya wondered if she had told him she wanted to start dating. However, Maya wasn’t able to perseverate too long given that her overzealous boyfriend was creeping his hand up her inner thigh under the table as the pack dug into dinner, fully distracted. Maya gave him a sidelong look, but he slowly let his fingers whisper up her inner thigh. She parted her legs slowly, eager to play this game and when his fingers finally reached her center, his eyes went wide in surprise when he was met with no barrier between his fingers and her slit. 

 

Maya placed a hand expertly in front of her mouth to conceal a giggle as Paul looked at her, wide eyed and hungry—a look of amazement glittering in his eyes. She knew Paul had wanted her over the past few days and this was just the kind of egging on he needed to take her the way she wanted. He let his hands drift over her center softly making her slick with want. 

 

He leaned over and whispered roughly in her ear: “I’m going to the bathroom, you should follow me.” 

 

When he pulled back though, Maya tilted her head and said teasingly, “I’m going to finish my dinner, but thanks.” His hand stalled and his eyes went wide with fire. Still, he got up from the table expectantly and disappeared into the house. 

 

Maya, desperate to distract herself from the pulsing need between her legs, leaned over and started talking with Sadie about what classes she was taking this fall. When Paul returned five minutes later, he sank down next to her, averting his gaze and falling into a grumbling conversation with Jared. 

 

After dinner, they all gathered around the fire pit for drinks, lost in laughter. Maya grabbed a drink from the fridge and when she came out, she noticed Paul reclined in an adirondack chair, his face lit up by the blinding smile and firelight. Maya’s breath caught in her throat and she felt a pang of love pull through her. It still caught her off guard sometimes to know that she was Paul’s.

 

When she walked up to him, his eyes traveled the length of her body for a second. 

 

“Can I sit here?” Maya asked gently, her eyes pleading, overly begging just to pull a reaction out of him. It did the trick—Paul’s face turned into a warm, pleasing smile. The kind of smile that anchored Maya to the spot and made her knees wobble.

 

“Of course, baby,” he said warmly. But as he made a move to get up, Maya quickly turned and settled herself into his lap. Paul gave a groan that did not go unnoticed by his closest pack mates as Maya nestled her hips onto him. He wrapped his arms around her middle and tried to continue his conversation, but Maya felt him firmly pressed against her ass now and she knew she had him. Every shift, every laugh, and every readjustment made Paul twitch with desire. Maya pretended not to notice the tightening grip on her hips or the way he would sometimes tightly pull her back onto him.

 

When the night finally came to a close, Maya made the rounds, saying goodbye to the pack and squeezed Becks into a tight hug before she whispered in her ear, “Text me about,” and nodded toward Jacob. Becks smiled and nodded quickly before folding herself back into Jacob’s grasp. Becks and Jacob had been immersed in conversation with the rest of the pack the whole night and Maya hadn’t gotten a chance to ask her anything. That was okay with her though, since Jacob was staying with them, she could easily grill him about it at breakfast the next morning. 

 

Paul led her calmly but firmly to the forerunner, his hand tight on her waist. He was looking straight ahead and Maya couldn’t help the smile that twitched at her lips. When he opened the door and helped her in, Maya tried to catch his eye, but he didn’t look at her. The amount of tacit control he was exerting was impressive but comical. When he wound them onto the long road back to their home, Maya stole little glances at him in the shifting lamplight along the road. 

 

Maya shifted her legs and pulled her dress so that her left leg was exposed up to the top of her thigh. Paul kept his eyes trained on the road but Maya could see his grip on the steering wheel tighten. 

 

When he cruised past the turn to take them back to the house, Maya turned her head to give him a quizzical look, but Paul stayed in steamy silence. Maya traced her fingertips up and down the length of her own thigh and gave a breathy sigh every once in awhile. Paul darted his car off the road into a hidden side street that was grown over with thick ferns. The dark forest crushed in around the forerunner and as he took her deeper into the forest, a thrill shot through her. After a few minutes, they broke into a clearing and Paul quickly shut off the engine and killed the lights. Maya’s breathing had picked up in anticipation and when she looked over at him, she could barely see his face cast over with shadows. 

 

Paul quickly got out of the car and came around to the passenger side, yanking the door open and grabbing Maya around the waist and pulling her roughly from the car. She shrieked in excitement and let out a volley of giggles as he pushed her up against the car bringing his lips down to hers in one warmly crushing movement. Maya let a little moan escape her lips and Paul’s grip tightened around her. 

 

“You drive me fucking nuts sometimes, you know that?” he growled before pressing his mouth back onto hers and parting her lips to dip his tongue against hers. His hand was between her thighs now and his lips on her neck as he said breathy and fast, “And this?” His broad hand cupped her mound, his middle finger dragging across the wet expanse of her slit as she let out a louder moan, “Don’t even think about doing this kind of shit in New York when I’m not there.” His mouth bit down on her shoulder and Maya exhaled roughly. 

 

He jerked back away from her and Maya felt the wash of cool breeze pull across her chest, her nipples pressed firm against the ripped fabric of her dress. Paul walked around to the back of his forerunner and popped the hatch up before climbing in and dropping the back seats forward. Maya followed him like a lost lamb and when he saw her come around the back he grabbed her quickly. Paul laid down on his back and quickly undid his jeans. Maya crawled over to him and once he’d pulled himself out, Maya gave him one more teasing look before lowering her head and taking him in her mouth. 

 

Paul sucked in a sharp breath of surprise, looking down at her and placing his hand softly on the back of her head. Maya slowly dipped her head down as far as she could, taking as much of him in her mouth as she was able to. Paul watched her lovingly from above her and when he groaned out a soft, “Oh, Maya, fuck!” she couldn’t help but feel overwhelmingly pleased with herself. She grabbed him around the hilt and licked the length of him before pressing her lips around his tip and gently swallowing him. When she felt him tense in her mouth she knew he was close but he pulled her off of him and set her on his hips. 

 

He slid into her easily, wet from her mouth and Maya let out a gasp as she grinded her hips against him. Paul’s hands grabbed at the straps of her dress and roughly pulled down the top so her breasts were exposed. He rocked his hips upward, bucking her and making her bounce as she braced herself on his chest. The moonlight filtered in through the windows washing their warm bodies in a soft blue glow. Maya was panting, moaning Paul’s name over and over as he pumped into her and she rolled her hips forward onto him in perfect rhythm. Paul’s grunts and groans were coming fast and heavy now and in one swift movement, he wrapped his arm around her back and flipped her around so that she was underneath him. He used his other hand to pull one of her legs up and laid it over his shoulder, pushing deeper into her now. Maya let out a loud cry of pleasure and shut her eyes tight. 

 

“Open your eyes,” Paul said gruffly as he continued to slam into her, “Look at me My,” he ordered. Maya obeyed, opening her eyes and letting the love from his pour into hers. His mouth hung open in anticipation at his rising climax and as Maya shuddered in release under him he let out a low growl and came with her, panting and pressing his forehead against hers. 

 

He rolled over and pulled Maya back on top of his chest so she wouldn’t have to lay on the hard floor of the forerunner. Maya pressed her cheek against his chest, letting the rise and fall of his chest lull her into bliss. 

 

After a few heady moments of relaxation, Paul placed his hand on her head and stroked through her hair. She could feel his heartbeat quicken. 

 

“I’m scared, My,” he said suddenly. Maya slowly raised her head to look up at his face. 

 

“I know,” she said softly. “I am too.” Paul nodded, not looking at her, his eyes cast upward. “But I think we can do this,” she whispered. 

 

“I don’t know how to live without you anymore,” he admitted. 

 

“You won’t have to. I’ll come visit and you’ll come visit. We’ll talk everyday,” she promised. 

 

“It’s not the same,” he said, his voice thick with sadness. Maya leaned up now and brought her face to hover inches away from his. 

 

“Listen to me,” she said, placing a hand on his cheek, “This is me and you we’re talking about. We can do this,” she searched his eyes but all she found was worried uncertainty. “I need to do this, Paul.” 

 

He nodded and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. “Then we’ll do it.” He said, his voice still thick. 

 

Maya leaned her face down and kissed him softly, feeling the rush of warmth and relief pulse through her in an instant and for one second she felt the overwhelming need to stay with him. But she knew that wasn’t their way—Paul and Maya would forge their own path, regardless of the pull of the imprint. 




Chapter 36: And away we go

Chapter Text

I’ve never been alone. My whole life, I’ve always had someone around me—whether that’s family, my friends, my community, and now Paul and his pack. I think that’s ultimately a good thing. Objectively, I know there are people who always feel alone and I’ve never had to worry about something like that. But now, being on the other side of the country away from everyone and everything I know has got me feeling...terrifyingly amazing. For the first time in my life, I can leave my home and not run into every single person I know within a ten mile radius. It’s freeing, it’s bittersweet, it’s crushing, it’s everything I ever dreamed it to be. And when I’m all alone in my dorm, feeling the weight of loneliness seep in, I just focus on that little hub of warmth on the other side waiting for me and I feel a little bit better. 

 





Maya and Paul kept themselves busy over the next couple of weeks leading up to Maya’s departure. After their moment in the car, Paul was trying very hard to keep a lid on things so as not to put more pressure on her than there already was. 

 

As such, Paul, in an attempt to pre-emptively distract himself, received deliveries of lumber and supplies almost every other day in anticipation for the renovations he would start on the house as soon as Maya left. Maya joked on more than one occasion that it felt like they were living in a lumber yard, but Paul had just laughed, bent over his plans and revising them at the kitchen table. 

 

Jacob and Becks had been spending more time together in an attempt to kickstart dating. After the last pack dinner, Becks had announced in the group chat that her and Jake were ‘taking it slow, but definitely on the path to gf/bf’, to which Maya had mixed feelings about. All in all though, she was happy for them because it seemed to make Becks happy. Keye had been less than thrilled and continuously referred to Jacob as King Weak Link.

 

And, despite the council’s request, Becks was still preparing to leave for Northwestern. Jacob was spending as much time with her as he could between rounds and renovating an old run-down garage space in town to turn into his auto shop. This, luckily, gave Maya and Paul more alone time themselves. Any time Jacob would announce his departure, Paul would wait for the door to click shut and whisk Maya away from whatever task she seemed to be preoccupied with—whether she was in the shower, taking a nap, pouring over her class schedule, or reading up on neighborhood hot spots to visit when she got to campus. 

 

But still, she had tried to balance spending time with Paul and her parents as best she could so that she made sure to relish in her last couple of weeks before she felt everything would change and begin to move very quickly. Her mother was constantly dipping in and out of the house on council business and Maya had internally rolled her eyes at this, seeing as she hadn’t quite forgiven the council for their overstep with Jacob and Becks. 

 

When her mother did bring up that there was going to be a bonfire planned for her and Becks’ send off, Maya politely tried to decline. Rish had looked at her in astonishment—Maya had never been allowed to turn down a community event growing up and now that she was given the choice she never thought she would just say no to something. Maya was surprised by her answer too, but as she helped her mom sort some extra fabric for the quilting club at the kitchen table, she was determined to stand her ground.  

 

“Maya!” Rish cried, “The council wants to send you off with pride. Honestly, after everything they’ve done for you…” Maya tried to bite her tongue, not wanting to shatter her mother’s illusions of the unbearable pressure the council put on imprints. She knew how much her mother’s position meant to her.

“Mom, I can’t. You know what they said to Becks. It’s so fucking gross,” she retorted. 

 

“First of all: language,” Rish corrected to which Maya rolled her eyes, “Second of all, I think that was all blown way out of proportion. Chief Black is honestly just worried about Becks leaving and Jacob following her. He just wants his son back.” 

 

“That’s not all that conversation was about and you know it. They did the same thing to me and Paul and I don’t want to indulge them when they’re on the warpath with imprints having babies,” Maya pushed away from the table. 

 

“I think that’s a little dramatic. Plus, look at you and Paul now. It’s not like the council was wrong for asking you to progress this relationship. It’s clearly meant to be.” 

 

Sometimes, Maya wondered how her mother who was so instinctively protective and strong and had raised Maya to speak her mind and stand her ground could say these things. She turned to look at her now with a confused look on her face. 

 

“Mom, Paul and I are together because we chose it. We didn’t deserve to be pressured into it and neither do Becks and Jacob.” 

 

“I know, honey,” Rish sighed, folding another square of fabric and setting it in the old laundry bin, “I just think it would be a good idea for you to go. Make peace, and show them that you’re still going your own way.” Maya considered that for a moment. Showing up to the bonfire invited all kinds of questions and confrontation if she wasn’t careful, but she had fared worse. She could do that, “And anyway,” Rish continued, “Becks and Jacob have already agreed to go.”

 

“WHAT?!” 

 


Paul held Maya’s face in his hands under the warm glow of their bedroom lights.

 

“You’re sure about this?” he asked quietly. Maya gave him a soft look and then smiled. 

 

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. Plus Embry and Quil have agreed to run interference. I’ll be well surrounded by pack for the whole night,” she reassured him. He leaned down and kissed her forehead softly. Maya had been bummed when he told her he couldn’t make it to the bonfire because of a last minute client consultation that he had to quickly fly out to Seattle for. He’d only be gone for 48 hours, but the lack of remaining time they had together made the quick trip even more annoying to Maya. 

 

“If you’re sure…” he said skeptically. Maya cleared the emotion from her face. What she wanted to tell him was to stay with her and go to this bonfire together as a united front, but she couldn’t ask him to do that. It was important to her that they still maintained some time independent of one another and for Paul that was his work. 

 

“I’m sure, I can handle them,” she brushed off. Paul smirked and pushed some hair behind her ear. 

 

“You’ve definitely toughened up. I feel like that’s my fault.”

 

“Mmmm, probably, but I was pretty tough before you met me,” Maya teased. Paul laughed, 

 

“Oh, right. I forgot,” he said. His phone buzzed in his pocket and Maya prickled. “Okay, I gotta go. I love you. I’ll be back before you know it,” he leaned down and kissed her for a moment and then grabbed his bag and disappeared downstairs. Maya sank down onto their bed and let out a long breath. 

 

“Maya, you ready?” Jacob called up the stairs. Maya groaned. 

 

Here goes nothing. 

 




Jacob drove Maya and Becks to the bonfire in his old Rabbit that he had restored when he was younger. Maya had thought it was a fucking trip as she shoved herself into the tiny backseat and clamped her hand over her mouth as Jacob squeezed his enormous frame into the drivers seat. 

 

Becks settled comfortably into the passenger seat and looked behind her to shoot Maya a look. 

 

“What?” Becks said confused. 

 

“Nothing,” Maya giggled, “Are there seatbelts in this thing?” She made eye contact with Jacob in the rear view mirror. 

 

“Har har,” he said, “We’re driving like ten minutes away. I think we’ll be fine.” 

 

“Hookay,” Maya breathed as she pulled out her phone and typed a quick message to Paul. 

 

Maya: Did you know that Jacob’s car doesn’t have seatbelts? 

 

Paul: The Rabbit is a relic. 

 

M: Just saying….

 

P: I think you’ll be fine, Jacob is a very good driver. 

 

Maya laughed and Jacob looked at her in the rearview mirror again. 

 

“I hope you’re not laughing at my car,” he said defensively. 

 

“No, Paul was just saying how good of a driver you are,” Maya said, sliding her phone back into the back pocket of her jeans. She’d chosen to dress extra casual tonight for this bonfire, much to her mother’s impending dismay she was sure. Maya wore some tight light wash jeans, a black t-shirt and her black doc marten boots. She anxiously twisted the ring on her middle finger around and stared out the window. When they pulled into the clearing and the tribe came into view, Maya took a deep breath. Embry and Quil were waiting, hands in their pockets. 

 

“We’re sure about this?” Becks asked, keeping her gaze straightforward out the windshield toward the bonfire. Jacob reached for her hand and she glanced over. He squeezed her hand reassuringly before saying:

 

“We’re sure. Right, Maya?” Jacob asked without taking his eyes off of Becks.  

 

“Uh, yeah,” Maya said unconvincingly. 

 

“Great,” Jacob said, bringing Becks’ hand to his lips before dropping it and popping open his door. 

 

As they all clambered out of the Rabbit, Embry and Quil tilted their heads in acknowledgement of their arrivals. The plan, if there even was a plan at this point, was to not be caught out alone. As Maya crossed the clearing sandwiched between Embry and Quil, Jacob and Becks trailing behind her, she got the unmistakable feeling of being watched. But this was her tribe, and the lingering stares of her elders and Chief Black wouldn’t be enough to deter her from indulging in one last night with her community until she returned for the holidays this fall. 

 

Embry and Quil tried to be amicable bodyguards and carried on casual conversation with the people Maya made sure to talk to before tribe announcements, but she could tell they were a little out of practice with socializing outside of their group. 

 

When it came time for announcements, Maya stood off to the side with them. Rish waved from the inner circle sitting next to her father. Maya gave a faint smile and a small wave. To her relief, Chief Black didn’t make any digging comments about Becks or Maya leaving for college—but it made sense when she thought about the fact that most of the tribe didn’t know the truth about the wolf warriors among them and the existence of the imprint. 

 

Afterwards, her mother beelined it to her and wrapped her in a tight hug. 

 

“Hi mom,” Maya said kindly. 

 

“Oh thank you so much for coming tonight. Are you dressing down because Paul’s not here?” Rish asked with a little too much judgement in her voice. Maya pulled back and gave her a worn stare. 

 

“Mom,” she bemoaned. 

 

“Okay, well, it’s just that these little gatherings are meant to be a moment to present and I can see now the casualness of Sam’s group is starting to wear off on you,” Rish looked over her shoulder and Embry and Quil who just smiled with arms crossed across their broad chests. 

 

“Mom, where is this coming from? You’re being weird,” Maya called her out. Rish tutted and wrapped her arm around her shoulder, leading her away from the bonfire. Embry and Quil took automatic steps to follow them but Rish looked over her shoulder. 

 

“I’ll bring her back, I promise. Honestly, you’d think 18 years of raising her without incident would prove that I can have you on my own for 10 minutes,” Rish quipped. This stopped Quil and Embry who looked to each other and then to Maya for confirmation. Maya rolled her eyes and nodded. 

 

“It’s fine. I’ll be right back,” she conceded and her mother trilled pulling her along through the clearing. Maya was so engrossed in the neverending questions that Rish threw at her that she didn’t even realize where they were heading until she heard the familiar, booming voice say, 

 

“Maya Sun, thank you for coming this evening,” Chief Black said. Maya’s head snapped up and it took all of her energy not to allow a grimace to grip her face. 

 

“Chief Black,” she managed tersely. Chief Black chuckled that warm, hearty laugh. Rish had steered them away from most of the people in the clearing to a secluded spot just inside the treeline. 

 

“I hear my son has been staying with you,” he stated. 

 

“He has. He needed a more comfortable place to stay where he didn’t feel pressured,” Maya returned, crossing her arms in front of her now. 

 

“Well, I appreciate you and Paul looking after him at the very least. You two make a great team,” Chief Black said. Maya arched an eyebrow at him. 

 

“Thank you,” she said with a hint of confusion in her voice. Rish squeezed her shoulder. 

 

“See?” she whispered. 

 

“I know myself and the council are appreciative of you and Paul taking the imprint seriously and progressing the relationship, even if you still are leaving this fall,” he nodded to the ring Paul had given her for her birthday. Maya automatically covered it. 

 

“We’re in a relationship because we chose it. The council should really get out of the business of pressuring literal teenagers to have their son’s babies if you have any hope of garnering our respect in the future,” Maya seethed. Rish sucked in a sharp breath. 

 

“Maya!” she gasped. Maya kept her eyes locked on Chief Black. He gave her a serene smile. 

 

“You underestimate our influence,” he said, nodding over her shoulder. Maya turned her head to see Jacob and Becks in the clearing by the bonfire, locked in embrace, their faces hovering just inches from one another. Maya felt the familiar thrill run through her as she watched Becks looking upon her soul in Jacob.  Maya’s mouth twitched into a smile before she turned back to Chief Black. 

 

“What you don’t understand is that that would exist with or without your influence. I suggest you stay out of pack business, not just for your sake, but for the tribe’s sake. You’ve seen how one of us can disappear. Don’t think we won’t do it again,” Maya threatened this with no real promise. She knew the pack would never desert their tribe, but still, this was enough to prickle Chief Black in a way that set his mouth into a firm frown. 

 

Maya gave her mother a furious look and turned on her heel back toward Embry and Quil who were leaning against Embry’s old truck. Her mother chased after her after a brief moment and grabbed her arm. Maya whirled on the spot—screw being discreet at this moment. 

 

“Maya!” Rish said in a hushed whisper looking around at the remaining members of the tribe in the clearing. She was very conscious of the two of them being watched and tried to keep her voice town. With the same vice grip on Maya’s arm, she whispered hurriedly, “Maya, you can’t say things like that to the Chief of our tribe! I know I raised you better than that!”

 

“Mom,” Maya said, her teeth clenched together, in a voice where anyone could hear if they were listening, “The council, and Chief Black in particular, have been causing issues between imprints for too long. Do you really want me to stay here, not go to Columbia like I’ve worked for my entire life, and just  have babies? Is that what you want for me? After all that talk about how I can do anything?” 

 

“Maya, bring your voice down,” her mother warned, not answering the question. 

 

“You’re so caught up in your status with the council that you’ve forgotten that I need your support. I need my mom. You don’t even hear what they’re saying to me. What they’re asking me to do. Let go of me!” Maya’s voice was rising and angry tears were forming but she refused to cry, not now. 

 

“Maya, you’re acting like a child. Of course I’m here to support you, but you have to believe that the council is only doing what’s best for us, for our community,” Rish continued. Maya shook her head in disbelief. 

 

“You haven’t heard a word I’ve said have you?” she asked, sadness etching her voice now. 

 

“Maya, stop this right now and come apologize,” Rish said tugging on her arm now. Embry and Quil were only a few steps away when Maya wrenched her arm out of her mother’s grasp and she gasped out in an upset tone: “Maya!” 

 

“Screw you!” Maya yelled. There was a collective silence that fell over the tribe now as everyone was clearly watching intently. Rish’s eyes went wide with fury at her daughter’s disrespect. 

 

“Maya Sun, get over here right now,” her mother used her most commanding voice she could muster. The voice that used to haunt Maya on the rare occasion that she did get in trouble. Embry had his arm out between them as they stood a few feet from each other now. Maya was sure that he wasn’t concerned about Rish lunging forward. Maya took two steps forward, her middle connecting with Embry’s outstretched arm as she said, seething: 

 

“No. Not anymore. I matter less than your reputation, so no, I will not come to you anymore. And, when Paul and I do have kids you’ll be lucky if you ever get to see them.” Rish watched her, her anger mirroring Maya’s now and for the first time in a long time, Maya saw her face in her mother’s and she faltered. “Just stay away from me,” Maya said quieter now before she gave her mother one last look, the angry facade cracking on her mother’s face to reveal immense sadness. 

 

Before Maya could completely crumble she turned away and headed back toward Embry’s car, with Embry and Quil hot on her heels. When she dropped into the passenger seat, Embry wasted no time hopping into the driver seat and turning over the engine. Quil tucked into the back and puffed out his cheeks in a large exhale. 

 

“Well that went downhill fast,” Embry said forlornly. 

 

“Yeah, it’s all fun and games until Billy starts throwing around baby making threats,” Quil joked. Maya had her arms crossed in front of her chest and as Embry backed out of the clearing, she clearly saw the towering figure of Jacob off to the side with the council fanned out in front of him. He looked furious. 

 

But in this moment, the council was far from Maya’s mind. She felt a rip tear through her body from the very public argument she’d just endured with her mother. Rish had always been Maya’s greatest advocate, the person who’d push open any door for her daughter, but ever since the imprint, something had changed between them and tonight that had been laid bare. Maya was devastated and what was worse was that she didn’t know how she’d be able to fix it before she left for Columbia in less than a week. 

 

The tears came freely now and Maya clamped a hand over her eyes as she tried to stifle sobs. Crying in front of Paul was one thing, but crying in front of Embry and Quil was mortifying. The silence in the cab of the truck was deafening with only Maya’s sobs to punctuate the hum of the road beneath the truck. When the car rolled to a stop, Maya knew she was home. Embry’s warm hand was on her shoulder and the too hot heat was comforting to her. 

 

“My,” Embry said in a low voice just barely above a whisper. Maya kept her eyes squeezed shut with her hand still over them. She felt like she was spiraling and couldn’t quite stop it. She heard Embry’s door open and suddenly a rush of late summer air pulled over her. The next thing she knew she was pulled from the truck and wrapped in the all too familiar warmth that they radiated. Embry had wrapped her in a tight hug, and Quil had come in behind her. 

 

“There’s nothing like a hot wolf sandwich to cheer you up,” Quil said in a light tone. Maya couldn’t help but laugh, her face buried in the crook of Embry’s massive arm as she choked through another sob. 

 

“It’s okay, My” Embry soothed. But she didn’t know if that was true. She felt like she’d just lost someone that there was no getting back. 

 

When Embry and Quil had gotten her inside, Maya went straight upstairs to bed. She didn’t bother undressing, she just collapsed onto Paul’s side of the bed, pushing her face into his pillow and letting her swollen eyes shut in the relief that sleep brought. She drifted off to low voices below, but their murmuring only pulled her deeper into sleep. 

 

Maya woke up the next morning wrapped in serene warmth. She let out a soft hum of breath as she nestled in deeper to the soft familiar warmth. Her brain really did her dirty sometimes. She always knew when she was dreaming because the way Paul smelled to her would be multiplied by a thousand in her dreams when she knew he was away. But Maya was okay with it being a dream—at least this way she could find some comfort from the horrific night she’d had. She nuzzled her face closer to that warmth and inhaled a deep breath letting the soft earth and warm wood smell of him rush through her. She felt the weight of his arms constrict tighter around her, replying to her sleepy soft noises. If she focused hard enough, she could hear the waves churning in the sea down the hill. She focused on memorizing this moment, even if it was just a dream, to keep with her when she left for Columbia, knowing she’d miss Paul everyday more and more. 

 

And then, she heard the front door click shut and the clear clang of pots and pans being pulled from the cupboards down in the kitchen. Maya felt warm lips press to the top of her head. Just a couple more minutes of this, please. Maya begged her sleeping brain, but it was useless. The too real sounds from the kitchen below were pulling her out of her soft sleep and when she opened her eyes she waited for the warmth to evaporate around her. But it didn’t. Her eyes drifted up from Paul’s naked chest to the softened features of his face closed in obvious sleep. Maya stifled a gasp and felt relief rush through her. For a moment she thought that last night’s disastrous bonfire had to have been a dream if Paul was still here. But the pain of it was still fresh and she knew it wasn’t. 

 

Maya let herself watch him sleep for just a moment, adding this memory too, before shimmying her body up ever so slightly to press her lips to his in a soft kiss. He let out a little moan of recognition before tightening his arms around her and pressing her body to his chest, locking her in the kiss for a few beats more. When he finally let her pull back and gain breath he smiled gently. 

 

“What are you doing here?” she said barely above a whisper. He brought his hand to her face, running his calloused fingers gently down her soft cheek, still tear stained from the night before. 

 

“Embry called. Told me what happened. I thought it might be a good idea to come back,” he said in the kindest voice. Maya immediately devolved into tears and Paul placed his hand on the back of her head and pulled her face into the crook of his neck, “It’s okay baby. I’m sorry,” he soothed. “Take a deep breath,” he said in a low soothing voice in her ear. Maya tried to pull fresh air through her lungs but was struggling to calm down again. Paul held her through it, offering reassuring words of comfort that slowly but surely brought Maya back down. 

 

When he sat her up and pulled her face away from his chest, he cupped his hands around her cheeks and held her steady, “I’ll go and talk to your mom. This will all blow over,” he promised. Maya smiled weakly and shook her head. 

 

“I just want a break from it and I don’t want you getting more caught up in it than you already are,” Maya said in a rough voice thick with spit from so much crying. She knew she looked a mess, but the look on Paul’s face only shone with love and concern. 

 

“My, I know you don’t want to leave things this way. Let me help,” he said. Maya wrapped her hands around his wrists and gently pulled his hands away from her face. She swallowed and looked at him with what little resolve she had and shook her head. 

 

“Please don’t. I can’t handle any of this right now and I don’t want you in the middle of it,” she stopped as a fresh sob threatened to throw her over again. 

 

“Okay, okay,” he said gently. “Let’s take a shower and we’ll table this for now.” Paul gave her a warm, neutral look that begged an answer. Maya nodded and they slipped off of the bed toward the shower together. 






The final few days before Maya was meant to leave for college were a rollercoaster of emotion. Maya tried her best to focus on her and Paul, but she found her mind wandering and often times Paul would have to get her attention when she lost herself in thought for too long. 

 

“Sorry,” she would say, giving him a weak smile and trying to recover whatever part of the conversation she had lost. This would earn her a worried frown from Paul and so the day before she was meant to leave, Maya was not wholly surprised when her father, Tom, showed up on their doorstep. 

 

“Thank you for coming, come on in,” Paul said warmly from the doorway. Maya watched, eyes wide as she sat stock still on the couch. Her father entered the living room and gave her a conciliatory smile. 

 

“Hi, sun-bug,” he said affectionately. He hadn’t called her by her childhood nickname in awhile and just the mention of it made her eyes well. Paul stood back in the hallway by the door with his hands shoved in his jeans pockets watching Maya carefully. 

 

Maya rose slowly from the couch and came around to stand in front of him. When her dad pulled her into a warm hug, she collapsed into it. 

 

“Does mom know you’re here?” she asked quietly into his shoulder. He gave a soft noise of confirmation and Maya gripped him tighter. Her dad pulled her back so he could look at her face, already puffy from the impending tears. His face looked stricken as well. 

 

“She’ll come around,” he promised, “She just needs some time to work through what was said and—” 

 

“Do you agree with her?” Maya couldn’t help herself from saying. She knew her father well but she also thought she had known her mother and as things turned out, she didn’t. 

 

“No.” he said firmly. Maya let out a breath that she had been holding, “I don’t think though how either of you handled it went very well though. You leave tomorrow….are you going to at least call her?” his eyes were pleading and for a moment Maya felt the weight of it pull at her resolve. Then she steeled herself. 

 

“No, dad. Not this time. She threw me to the wolves,” Maya said without thinking. This earned her a huff of laughter from Paul who shook his head trying to contain an amused smile. “I just need some time. I promise I’ll call her when I get to New York.” 

 

“Okay,” he agreed after a long pause. And then a warmer smile crept over his face, “So, I was promised dinner.” Paul clapped his hands together in confirmation, 

 

“Right! Just a few more minutes on the sauce I think. Maya?” Paul asked, nodding toward the kitchen cupboards. Maya beamed up at her father and he leaned down to kiss her forehead. 

 

“Come help me set the table,” she said, grabbing her father’s hand and tugging him toward the warm kitchen steeped in the comforting smell of garlic, simmering cream, and sweet basil. 

 




“You’ve got everything?” Paul asked, as they continued toward her gate at Sea-Tac. His hand was tightly gripping hers and Maya felt how warm and damp her hand was becoming from his large one. 

 

“I think so,” Maya tried to confirm confidently. The morning flight on the biplane into Sea-Tac was quiet. But Paul had barely let Maya out of his grip for a second in the past 12 hours. She knew it was just his mounting anxiety from the impending separation but still, it was hard to see his face grow more and more somber, hardening with every passing hour. 

 

“Call me when you land. And I went ahead and had Michaal order you a car for when you arrive so you don’t have to take the subway. The car will take you straight to campus and the driver will help you take in your things.” Paul said in a matter-of-fact voice. 

 

“Paul, I could have taken the train, it would have been fine,” Maya said, giving him a soft smile. But Paul was looking straight ahead as they neared her gate. “Thank you.” she said after a moment. 

 

Once they arrived at her gate, the flight attendants had already opened the doors to begin boarding. Maya stood in front of Paul and as he looked over her head toward the gate doors, Maya put her hands on either side of his face. 

 

“Paul,” she said gently, stepping toward him. His arms automatically wrapped around her and pulled her tightly to him. He gave her a sad smile and Maya swallowed hard, trying to hold it together, “We can do this,” she said softly. Paul looked at her for a long second and then nodded. She leaned up on her tiptoes and he closed the gap to press into an unwavering kiss that made her feel dizzy. His broad hands held tightly to her lower back and Maya pressed her palms gently against his too hot cheeks, getting lost in his embrace. When they finally pulled away from one another, Maya felt the clear damp of tears on her cheek. But she wasn’t crying. Paul screwed up his face in obvious torment and placed a hand over his eyes quickly trying to subdue himself. 

 

“Hey,” Maya said, letting her hands drift to the sides of his neck, “Look at me.” 

 

Paul dropped his hand and opened his eyes to look down at Maya, clear tears clinging to his lashes. Maya gave him a sympathetic smile. 

 

“We’re going to be okay. You’re coming out to see me in less than four weeks. I’m going to call you every day, text you all the time, and if you need to, you can always come out for a weekend trip. This is going to be hard. We know it’s going to be hard. But I have to do this,” she said. 

 

Paul nodded and kissed her forehead roughly. “I know. It’s just a little tough letting a part of your fucking soul fly across the country.” 

 

“I know.” Maya said. 

 

“Final boarding call for flight 291, Seattle to New York City. Final boarding call.” 

 

Maya sucked in a sharp breath at the sudden drop in her stomach and Paul’s eyes widened in panic. 

 

“Kiss me again,” Maya said quickly and Paul obliged, crushing her in another frantic kiss for a moment more. “I love you.” Maya said breathlessly when they pulled apart. 

 

“I love you so much,” Paul said, pressing his forehead to hers. They both closed their eyes, settling one last time into the bond of the imprint that tied them tightly together, “Come back to me soon, Maya Sun.” he whispered. 

 

Maya opened her eyes and smiled up at him, “I will.” She took a few steps back from him and let go of his hand as she hurried toward the waiting flight attendants, scanning her ticket and hurrying down the ramp toward the plane. She turned to look over her shoulder and wave with a painful smile and saw Paul, one fist clenched by his side and the other covering his mouth as he watched her walk away from him. He looked absolutely crushed and as the flight attendants closed the door behind Maya, her heart sank to the bottom of her stomach. 



Chapter 37: With friends like these

Chapter Text

I’ve always been a people person. Getting new people to like me became like a talent of mine growing up. But after I met Paul, the people I met became carefully filtered through his gaze and I didn’t necessarily worry or have to try too hard to get people to like me. They just liked me because they knew Paul. I worried I was losing my talent, but being on a campus with a ton of other kids who are all the same age as you, with the same lost look as you, made it easy for me to rediscover my talent. I missed this Maya. This part of me that’s sure and free and welcomes the unknown because it’s on my terms. Welcome back, me. 

 

I just wish Paul was here to see this old me reemerge. I think he’d like her. 

 




Maya sank down onto her dorm room bed. After she had landed, she easily found the driver Paul had gotten her and he helped her stow her three suitcases in the back of the SUV before heading toward campus. Maya had called Paul but made sure not to linger on the phone too long, acutely aware of his absence and their new normal for the time being. She could already hear the ache in his voice. 

 

As she opened and closed her fists, trying to eliminate the sharp pulse of pain working through her hands, Maya felt the hollowing within her begin. The sting of tears wasn’t far behind and for the first time in a very long time, she felt truly cold. 

 

She was trying desperately to keep the ache at bay. She told herself that if she could just make it until she started class she would have a proper diversion. But now, in the dimming light of her dorm room, Maya took a long shuddering breath and felt utterly and overwhelmingly alone. She let a rush of sadness pull through her for a only a moment before she shot up, grabbed her keys that she had stowed on her new Columbia lanyard that had been waiting on her bed for her, and left her room in search of mail room to pick up her boxes that she and Paul had shipped a couple of weeks ago. 

 

Maya convinced herself that if she just kept moving, and found equal purpose to pair with that movement, that she could outrun the ache that the imprint threatened. She told Paul she needed to do this and she would, but that didn’t mean it wasn’t going to hurt like hell. 

 

When she made it to the elevator and clicked the button for the lobby, a few other people piled in with her. She gave them tentative smiles and was sure she looked like a frazzled mess from her entire day of travelling. The group was easily chatting away and Maya crossed her arms and looked at her feet. She didn’t look up until the elevator dinged and they all spilled out into the lobby of their dorm building. Maya navigated her way across campus with the help of mingling students and strategically placed campus maps to find the mail room. Since it was nearing almost 6 o’clock, the mail room was fairly empty save for the massive stacks of boxes and suitcases shipped from students around the world no doubt. Maya ran a hand through her hair and tapped her key on the counter to see if someone would pop up. 

 

“Hello?” she called out. She heard a shuffling and groaning coming from the back room and for a moment she thought she’d stumbled across an intimate scene. Maya was relieved when two young guys came struggling out of the back room—one was tall with dark brown hair with his back to Maya and the other was a red-haired boy who looked too young to be on a college campus. The dark haired boy was shifting the dolly back and forth and grunting with effort to try and make it move. 

 

“Dude what the fuck is wrong with this thing?!” he said. 

 

“I don’t know man, it was fucking working before you piled on this shit on it!” the red-haired boy replied. Maya watched as they struggled it around the front of the counter, half carrying and half pulling a dolly ladened down with a stack of boxes that teetered dangerously. 

 

“Uh,” Maya said, gracefully announcing her presence. The dark haired boy set the dolly up straight with a huff of air dramatically and shot Maya a wayward smile. 

 

“Fuck me, am I right?” he joked. Maya just stared, confused. 

 

“What can I help you with?” the red-haired kid asked. Maya looked to him quickly, noticed his name tag said Ethan, and gave him a gentle smile. 

 

“I need to pick up some boxes,” Maya said. Both of the boys groaned simultaneously and threw their heads back dramatically. Maya looked from Ethan to the dark haired boy in confusion. 

 

“You might have to come back tomorrow. All of the dolly’s are in use and that dolly’s broken. I don’t even know how we’re going to get Noah’s shit out of here,” Ethan said. Maya looked to the dark haired boy. 

 

“Noah?” Maya asked. He gave her a mock, lazy salute. She nodded and leaned down next to the dolly lifting the small stopper that acted as a stabilizing brake with a sharp click. Maya stood up and gave a tight lipped smile. “Should be good.” Noah watched her with an amused smile on his face. He leaned the dolly back and easily swiveled it back and forth before dropping it forward with a sharp clatter. 

 

“The fuck Ethan!?” he said in a teasing voice, “There’s a fucking brake on these things?!” 

 

“I didn’t know!” Ethan protested. Noah looked to Maya again. 

 

“Let me guess, Robotics?” he asked. Maya quirked an eyebrow. 

 

“Engineering mechanics,” Maya retorted. 

 

“I should probably drop out,” he murmured to himself. Maya let out a little laugh and the sound drew Noah’s attention. She turned back to Ethan. 

 

“So, my boxes?” she asked. 

 

“Sure! Name?” Ethan asked with a relieved sigh. 

 

“Maya Sunriviere.” 

 

“Give me just a second,” Ethan said, disappearing into the back room. 

 

“I’m Noah,” Noah said with the goofiest grin Maya had ever seen. Maya scoffed a laugh at his extended hand and reached toward it to shake it. 

 

“I know,” she confirmed. After a beat where he didn’t let go of her hand she said, “I’m Maya.” 

 

“Nice to meet you, Maya,” he said kindly. “I’m studying civil engineering, so you know—” he trailed off. 

 

“Oh, so we’re doomed?” Maya quipped. Noah gave a solid laugh and Maya smiled back. Ethan came back from the back room with a clipboard. He handed the clipboard to Noah who signed it and handed it back before turning to Maya and flipping to the next page for her to sign. 

 

“Four boxes from Seattle, Washington?” he confirmed. 

 

“That’s the one,” Maya said with a pang in her stomach. She was absolutely done for if just the mention of her state set off the ache. 

 

“Well, I’m since I’m out of dolly’s for the moment and the school hasn’t come up with a better way of transporting student stuff, you’ll either have to wait until someone comes back in the next ten minutes before we close or bribe Noah,” Ethan said. 

 

“Ah, she can take mine. I’m clearly not licensed to operate this thing anyway,” Noah said. 

 

“Oh, no!” Maya protested. “No, I’ll wait, I don’t mind, really. Please.” Maya held up her hands. 

 

“You sure? This baby swivels like nothing else. And you’re freshman right? What hall are you in?” Noah was talking with ease, always with an air of humor in his voice as if a joke was right around the corner. It reminded her a little bit of Quil. 

 

“Uh, Carman Hall,” Maya replied, not sure if she should be advertising her living quarters to a complete stranger. But this was college after all. 

 

“Carman Hall?! That’s clear across campus. You’re gonna want this thing!” Noah insisted on starting to take his boxes off the dolly. 

 

“No! It’s okay!” Maya protested. Ethan was watching with a bemused look on his face. And as Noah continued despite Maya’s protesting, a couple of girls walked in with dolly’s to return. “See!” Maya said, relieved. She took the dolly from one of the girls with a smile and removed the handle, laid the dolly down, and redeposited the handle so that she could pull it like a cart. 

 

“What the fuck?!” Noah said. Maya couldn’t help but laugh as she pulled the cart back behind the counter following Ethan to get her boxes. When she re-emerged, Noah was still standing there. She internally groaned—the nice thing about living on a small reservation was that no one messed with you when they knew your boyfriend was a massive man who was part of your community’s elite protection group. But across the country, Maya was unknown and while that was deliciously freeing, she forgot that that meant warding off an inevitable onslaught of men. As she wheeled her cart toward the door, Noah rushed to hold it open for her. 

 

“Oh, no thanks, I got it!” Maya once again tried to protest reaching to hold the door as Noah craned is 6’1” frame around her with too much effort to hold it open for her. Noah laughed as the two of them tried to hold the door open together and render each other useless. When Maya successfully navigated out the door, Noah was quick to follow her with his dolly. She picked up her pace across campus, but Noah was pretty determined. She really didn’t want to drop the ‘I have a boyfriend’ card but desperate times…

 

“So you’re studying engineering mechanics, what’s your focus?” Noah started. With a sigh, Maya kept her sights forward trying to remember the way back to her dorm. 

 

“Biomechanics,” Maya said quickly. 

 

“Makes sense. There’s a great federal facility out in Seattle that does a lot of biomechanical and environmental engineering projects to help communities,” Noah said. 

 

“Yeah, I know,” Maya said, only somewhat surprised that he knew that. 

 

“That means, you’ll have Killicki for most of your undergrad. He can be a real shit. But your choice of advisors are pretty solid. Jarvins or Rosenburg are a good choice, I’d stay away from Collins though. I hear he’s kind of sexist and pretty sure he made a pass at one of cohort last year during freshman orientation.” Noah rattled on and Maya only half listened. Despite the original unwelcome she’d given Noah, she was glad for the company at least for now. When she stopped at a four way cross section on the main quad, Noah gestured easily to the left. “Carman Hall’s this way.” 

 

“Thanks,” Maya said as she followed him. He gave her a reassuring smile. 

 

“So you’re from Seattle?” Noah continued. Maya just nodded, lips pursed. “That’s pretty cool. I’m from Ohio. Little place called Columbus. Half Italian, like bad karaoke.” Maya could feel him looking at her, “But you probably knew all that.” He joked. 

 

“Huh?” Maya asked, confused. 

 

“Well, anyone who knows the secret inner workings of the common dolly is pretty well versed in the secrets of the universe,” Noah quipped. 

 

“Your identity is not a secret of the universe,” Maya shot back. 

 

“Oooh, good one,” they made it to Carman Hall and Noah held the door open for her again. Maya didn’t know if she was interested in him following her up to her dorm room, but she didn’t really feel like she had a choice at the moment, “So tell me, did you rehearse this taciturn demeanor to ward off most personalities or is there like another reason?”

 

Maya raised her eyebrow in annoyance and pushed her cart into the waiting elevator. As expected, Noah followed her in. 

 

“Let me guess,” he continued. Maya let out a huff of air, “You’re married,” he proclaimed in a not-so-serious voice. Maya barked a laugh and Noah smiled his goofy grin again. 

 

“No, I’m not married. But I do have a boyfriend,” And there it was. Maya spun the ring on her index finger around and waited for the ding for her floor. 

 

“A very protective boyfriend,” Noah said. Maya shot him a look. 

 

“How would you know?” she said with a little too much rudeness in her voice. 

 

“You just give off that vibe. Well-protected. Well-liked.” He shrugged. 

 

“Rude,” Maya accused, a hint of laughter in her voice. 

 

“True?” Noah gave her a sidelong look with a cock of his head as the doors opened to her floor and she wheeled out. Noah didn’t follow her. Maya looked at him over her shoulder before flipping him off. He laughed good naturedly as the doors slid closed on him. 





Paul shut his driver side door with a loud bang. Maya had only been gone three days and ever since he had been a nonstop ball of motion. He’d taken on extra rounds, spent hours down at the zoning commission office outside of La Push to get approval for the extension, finalized his plans for the renovations, and was helping Jacob scout some areas near the rundown garage he was restoring for a place to live. 

 

He was constantly calling Michael with last minute additions or adjustments to work invoices or plans or when he’d remember something Maya might need in New York. Michael added the extra items to his “Maya Needs Care Package” List which tended to put Paul a little more at ease. 

 

Now, he banged through his front door as he felt the frantic energy rise in his stomach. But he was met with a squeak of surprise—Becks and Jacob quickly shot apart to opposite ends of the couch. Jacob laid his arm nonchalantly across the back of the couch and Becks ran her hand through her hair. They were trying very hard to look like they hadn’t been tangled up in each other earlier. Paul, unfairly, was counting down the days to when Becks headed to Northwestern. It was one thing to miss Maya. It was entirely another to be subjected to budding imprint affection that made Paul’s ears ring with jealousy. 

 

“Hey man,” Jacob said nonchalantly, shooting him a cool look. Paul looked from Jacob to Becks expectantly and then gave a heavy sigh as he pulled his phone out of his back pocket and headed toward the kitchen. 

 

“Are you going to be ready to go soon?” Paul asked, an added gruffness to his voice. 

 

“He’s a little grumpier these days,” Jacob whispered to Becks. But even from his place in the kitchen, Paul could clearly hear him thanks to his enhanced hearing. He gritted his teeth together and opened Maya’s most recent message to him as Jacob replied, “Yeah, we’re heading out to the old Deep Rock pass yeah?” Paul grunted his affirmation. 

 

Maya had sent Paul a picture of herself in her new dorm room. She’d decorated it with warm lights, her childhood Quileute print blanket, and new pillows she had picked out one weekend in Seattle with Paul. Behind her on the wall, Paul spotted a few printed photos that she’d taken the effort to print out and frame in hand carved wooden frames that he’d made for her this summer as she requested. In them were photos of them together, her, Becks, and Keye, and a photo of the entire pack family at his last birthday party she’d thrown for him. He stared at her face in the image. Her eyes were squeezed shut as a bright wide smile stretched across her soft face. She was wearing a sweatshirt she’d taken from his drawer before she left and some shorts, her feet tucked up under her on her bed. 

 

“You staring at that picture again, dude?” Jacob said. Paul jerked his head up to look at Jacob and gave him a sour look. “Kind of creepy,” Jacob joked. 

 

“Shut up,” Paul dismissed. 

 

“Man, I really thought you’d gone soft when I came back. But now I know that was just Maya,” Jacob gave him that wide goofy smile he was always known for and Paul shook his head. 

 

“Is she gone?” he said gruffly. Jacob rolled his eyes. 

 

“Yes, Mr. Fucking Polite. Let’s go.” Jacob headed toward the front door and Paul let his eyes scan over the image of Maya and read her last text before following Jacob:

 

M: Finally finished unpacking! I think we literally thought of everything, except maybe a mini fridge. My roommate Bhaviti brought one, though, and said we could share. I think you’ll like her! She took me to this awesome Indian restaurant last night. Did I leave my green sweater at home? I love you, love you, love you. 

 

When they pulled up to the clearing in Deep Rock pass, Paul shoved his hands in his pockets and trailed after Jacob. The clearing was bare except for a dilapidated shed that was slumped to one side. It was ringed with trees and across the way was a river, low down a hill. The infrequent sun sparkled off it’s surface as it carried on at a lazy pace. The hush of the trees and rush of the river was comforting and Jacob took a deep breath. 

 

“It’s not too far from the garage,” Jacob said, “And you built your place right?” 

 

“I did.” Paul said, surveying the area. “You want to build it from scratch?” Paul quirked an eyebrow at him curiously. Jacob was good with his hands, always had been, but he’d never dabbled in construction. 

 

“Yeah, it makes more sense long-term,” he said hands behind his head, “It’s good, right? The land commission is willing to sell it for pretty cheap.” 

 

“Not that you couldn’t afford it anyway,” Paul said as he crossed his arms across his chest, “What will all that bloodsucker money.” 

 

“Fuck you,” Jacob said without any conviction. It was true that Jacob was quietly wealthy, but only because Carlisle Cullen had been happy to invest in his first garage in Anchorage. One garage quickly grew into six across the state and Jacob lived comfortably off of the ongoing profits they made after he ensured they ran like well oiled machines without him. 

 

“Long-term huh? You building a house for you and Becks, then?” Paul asked. Jacob didn’t even seem thrown off by the question. If someone had asked that of him or Maya this early on in their relationship as Jacob and Becks were, Maya would have freaked out and probably skipped town. 

 

Jacob just shrugged and gave a smile, “If she wants it.” Paul couldn’t help but roll his eyes. She wanted it—everyone could see it. And Jacob was settling into the idea more and more everyday. 

 

“We could lay the foundation before the first snow hits if we’re quick about it. Might make the process a little faster in the spring and summer once we actually do the build. Do you have a structure in mind?” Paul asked, all business now and trying to clear Maya from his head. 

 

Jacob gave him a sideways look and gave a pained smile. Paul knew what that meant. 

 

“Fine, send me some ideas and I’ll draw up the plans for you to take to the permits office. You need the sale to go through as soon as possible though. We’ve probably only got 2 months left and we’ll need to order stuff ASAP.” 

 

Jacob crowed, “You’re the best, man. And to think, all these years I took you for a hot headed asshole.” 

 

“That assumption still isn’t far from the truth. Don’t push it.” Paul said, turning back to the car. He had to admit, it was a particularly stunning area. The clearing seemed like a perfect place for a two-story family style home with a separate garage where Jacob could do some work. Paul’s mind was already churning with ideas as they headed toward the garage next to do some repairs. The garage was close to the main stretch of town and only a few blocks from Clearwater Coffee. Jacob’s mechanic skills were already well known around the reservation and he was sure to get good business since everyone had been taking their cars to the auto shop just outside of Forks for years. 

 

Now as they worked in the late afternoon, Paul checked his phone for a text or call from Maya. It was almost automatic at this point, but everytime his phone went off it was always just a text or email from Michael, or his clients, or a question from Sam. He could tell Jacob was getting annoyed that he was stopping so often to check his phone, but Jacob wouldn’t dare call him out on it—he was still crashing on his couch, helping him repair his garage, and now designing the home he planned to build for him and Becks. His mouth remained shut. 

 

When Paul’s phone rang and he whipped it out of his pocket at light speed, Jacob swallowed an annoyed groan with a fake cough. Paul deflated when he saw the name on the lit up face of the phone. 

 

“Hey Jeremy,” he said as he answered. Jacob tried to play it cool and gave sidelong glances toward Paul’s turned back trying to pick up on the conversation. 

 

“Hey. Did you have Sidewell Lumber deliver like a shit ton of pine to your studio? Cos it’s out front and Mr. DeSoto is pissed.” Jeremy replied. Paul could hear a commotion going on in the background. Jeremy had been staying at Paul’s loft in Seattle to get him some distance from the Jacob/Becks imprint-fest at home just until Becks left for Northwestern. 

 

“Fuck,” Paul scowled, “Tell Mr. DeSoto I’ll have the guys come by and move it tomorrow morning. They were supposed to stow it around back.”

 

“That’s what I said!” Jeremy huffed. 

 

“Sorry, Jer,” Paul pulled a hand down his face. 

 

“It’s cool. I’ll just get him some samosas from that Indian restaurant on third.” 

 

“Good plan, I gotta get back to work. Sorry again.”

 

“No big. See you in a week.”

 

When the line disconnected, Paul checked his messages again just in case, but the last text he sent to Maya was still listed as read. He pulled up her location and zoomed in on the small blue dot on the other side of the country. 

 

“Jesus, Becks told me you track her location, but I didn’t think she was serious,” Jacob said, peering over his shoulder. Paul shut his phone and shoved it in his back pocket. 

 

“Just wait until Becks leaves for Northwestern. It’s going to drive you fucking nuts not knowing where she is and not be able to get to her within a few minutes if you need to. Plus, a college campus where boys fresh out of highschool are just looking to get their dicks wet?” Paul scoffed and went back to tearing down a portion of wall that was molding and rotting away, “It’s all you’ll fucking think about. Trust me.” He tore off parts of the wall and threw it aside, not even turning to look if Jacob was still standing there listening. 

 

But Jacob was still listening. He absently fidgeted with skin on the tips of his fingers and around his nails as he let what Paul said sink in. Over the past few weeks, his relationship with Becks had accelerated. They spent almost every day together and Jacob was growing more and more aware of the fact that the longer he spent with her, the larger the ache grew when they were apart for extended periods of time. 

 

This is why they found themselves tangled up together deeper into the evening on the couch every night in Paul’s living room, buying more time together. Jacob had told her some of what happened before he left La Push with the Cullens. She’d listened intently, a serene, even look on her face void of judgement or shock, as he laid it all out there. After, she had placed a hand on his cheek and Jacob shivered at the feeling it gave him. He’d been away from home, from the warmth of his family for so long that he hadn’t realized he’d frozen over. Now, under Beck’s touch and glittering smile that compelled him to do just about anything she asked, he thawed. 

 

 Now the thought of that warmth leaving him sent an icy shock through him. He could already see what the distance was doing to Paul–for one, he hadn’t really been sleeping since Maya left and had spent all of his time staying busy, working with his hands, or running as fast as he could on rounds. Jacob knew only an echo of that pain, but he knew it nonetheless. He was trying to outrun it, but sooner rather than later it would catch up with him. Jacob thanked his ancestors that Becks wasn’t moving across the entire country. He could probably make it to Chicago in a day on foot if he had to, but he knew he’d probably just spring for the plane ticket. 

 

Still, worry churned in him at Paul’s words. Him and Becks were still so new to this. They’d only been hanging out for a couple of months and when she had asked that they start dating, Jacob had asked her if they could wait. She had frowned at this but nodded. He cited wanting to take it slow, but mostly, he didn’t trust himself. While Becks held him firmly in place in La Push, he wondered what would happen when she left, just as his father said. Would the inane urge to run overpower him again? He was, after all, still a one-man pack. They hadn’t quite figured out the dual-alpha mode yet and Jacob still couldn't hear anyone other than Seth on rounds. 

 

“You good?” Paul said suddenly, snapping Jacob out of his thoughts. 

 

“Yeah, yeah.” He said turning back to the floors he had been pulling up. He heard Paul let out a  huff of laughter and then the distinct click of him checking his phone. Jacob shook his head with a soft smile. Imprints. He thought. 




Maya stacked another book on top of the massive pile Noah was carrying around the bookstore. 

 

“You know, you’re not required to get every single book you plan to use throughout your college career in the first fucking semester,” he said annoyed. Maya scanned the shelves for another textbook she had found in the course catalogue. 

 

“I know that, I just want to check out what I’ve been missing,” Maya replied distractedly, not looking at him, “Ah!” she said as she found the massive tome she’d been looking for. 

 

“Maya, you’re not even studying agricultural engineering,” Noah groaned under the weight of the books, “This is going to cost like a million dollars, you know that right?” 

 

“Yeah, yeah. Come on, I still need to go and get ready for the department orientation,” she said as she hustled toward the front of the store picking up some extra binders, pens, pencils, and another protractor. Noah watched with kindred amusement. 

 

After their first interaction, Maya had run into him yet again in the student center when she went to get her student ID photo taken with her roommate Bhaviti (“Call me Beez.” She’d told Maya when they formally met while unpacking their dorm room together.). From then on, the trio was somewhat inseparable. Maya and Beez fell into step easily after her first foray into Indian food where Beez laughed so loud when Maya nearly choked on her Kohlapuri Chicken dish. Beez was in the Robotics program and was a kid wonder. 

 

Noah was a sophomore, entirely too pleased with how funny he thought he was, but lovable nonetheless. He’d given her a tour of the department, showed her where the advisor’s offices were and the best spots in campus to study late at night without anyone bothering you. Maya had suspected that he found her attractive and was forming a crush, but she’d gushed about Paul enough during their tour that she was pretty sure he got the hint she wasn’t interested. 

 

As Noah lugged the stack of his books and Maya’s books back to her dorm room, Maya chattered away about how excited she was for her first classes starting up next week. She found herself in constant motion, trying to edge the pain of Paul’s absence away, but as the week wore on, and as she fell into step with Beez and Noah, the hollowing in her felt less whipped. 

 

When they made it to her room, Beez was there, leaning over her computer with headphones on as she frantically outlined a calendar. 

 

“Beez! She tried to kill me under the crushing weight of bound knowledge!” Noah cried as he flopped onto Maya’s bed after depositing their books on her desk. Maya rolled her eyes and pulled open the closet her and Beez shared. She was going to go for a professionally relaxed look. She pulled out some dusty rose wide leg, high waisted pants and flowy white button up blouse with dreamy long sleeves. 

 

“Okay, Noah. Out! I need to change,” Maya instructed as she held the clothes up to herself in the mirror. 

 

Noah groaned, “Do I have to?! I’ll just cover my eyes like this, look!” he said as he clapped his hand over his eyes. 

 

“Out!” Maya said again in a firm voice. Noah let out a frustrated moan and stomped playfully out the door to Maya’s utter amusement. “Beez?” she said turning around, still holding the clothes up to her body, “Beez!” Maya said as she nudged the back of her chair with her foot. Beez spun around and took her headphones off. After a quick scan of the outfit, she nodded. 

 

“Looks good,” she said before quickly turning back to her computer. Maya rolled her eyes and smiled as she started to undress. Meanwhile, her phone buzzed at the bottom of the canvas bag under the stack of books she’d just purchased. 

 

Paul’s name pulsed on the face of her phone and then quietly went to voicemail. 



Chapter 38: Double lives without the compromise

Chapter Text

One of the best things about college is that your first two years are basically a repeat of high school just amplified. General education courses are like a threat, holding your hand over the fire to see if you really did everything you said you did for the last four years. But at least I get to read Shakespeare again. Sometimes waking up in my dorm room feels akin to being shipwrecked on a foreign shore. For the first few minutes, I’m disorientated without Paul’s warm body wrapped around mine and the soft smell of the sea absent from the overwhelming must of this old building. But being on a different shore helps me to keep things in perspective. At least I know what’s waiting for me and I know my way back, but this shore offers so much promise and I feel guilty for even enjoying it sometimes.




“Fuck!” Paul’s voice rang out across the backyard as the hammer he had been holding clattered to the ground. Paul held his throbbing hand, as the pain was already beginning to fade at his tendency to quickly heal. Paul placed his hands on his woodworking table and let his head hang as he took some deep breaths. 

 

The last five weeks had not been his best. Although the ache had become sustainable, Paul felt like he was being buffeted by rough waves. His short fuse was flaring up again and he’d been losing track of his deadlines. Now, as he stood in his workshop trying to finish an overdue piece for one of his clients, he felt the familiar throb of the imprint settling at the base of his skull. 

 

In and out. He told himself. Paul gritted his teeth against the nagging impulse to bolt for the airport and fly across the country to see Maya. He knew that’s what was causing all of this, but she had seemed so happy and so even keel on their calls that he didn’t want to overwhelm her with his need to be near her. Paul hadn’t realized he had been gripping the work table so hard until he saw the shadow of Jacob’s form block the light coming through the entrance and he loosened the tension in his shoulders. 

 

“You okay?” he asked, his voice gruffer than usual. 

 

“Fine,” Paul said, still through gritted teeth. He took another breath before straightening and leaning down to pick up the hammer he had dropped. Jacob shuffled around the entrance of the workshop for a moment before coming to sit on a stool nearby. “What?” Paul almost snapped. Jacob didn’t even react. 

 

They were quite a pair—Jacob had gotten used to Paul’s mood swings since Maya left, suffering from some of his own now that Becks was at Northwestern. It was probably a good thing the two of them were living together, seeing as they couldn’t keep good company without snapping or lashing out every once in awhile. Jacob lashed out less than Paul, but he still suffered from occasional irritability and generally wanted to be alone so he could dig into the work of building his house and fixing up the garage. 

 

The two of them lacked sleep, finding it easier to just stay awake as much as possible and work on a house project or distract themselves with running extra rounds to ward off the images of their imprints showing up in their dreams. Sleep only added to Paul’s frustration. He’d dream mostly of Maya, bare and pressed underneath him. The dream would always feel so real, vivid and warm—her lips on his were the most torturous part of it because when he’d wake up in bed alone, they felt wind chapped and cracked. After a particularly rousing dream, Paul would often pad downstairs or out to his workshop to continue renovations on the house, which would in turn wake Jacob up. 

 

It was a den with grumbling, forlorn, emotionally strung out pair of men and each day felt like more and more effort. Now, Paul glared at Jacob as he watched him teeter on the small stool across his workshop. 

 

“Dude, just go and see her. Enough is enough,” Jacob said. He’d already been out to see Becks twice and while he was still suffering, he wasn’t as much of a mess as Paul. 

 

Paul let out a huge breath and then slapped the head of the hammer down on the piece he’d been finishing a little too hard and swore under his breath. “I’m seeing her next weekend.” 

 

“Fuck that, just go now!” Jacob retorted, “Seriously. A week won’t may not make much of a difference to her, but it will for you. Just go.” He was almost pleading with Paul now. 

 

Ever the stubborn one though, Paul shook his head and continued. He promised himself that when she left for college, he’d really try and stick to their planned meetings to give her the space and time she deserved to be a real college student. He could do this. He had to do this. 

 

“Fine, if you’re hellbent on torturing yourself for another week, then I’m going to stay at the garage,” Jacob said as he stood up roughly from his stool. Paul raised his eyes and quirked an eyebrow at him before continuing his work. 

 

“Whatever, just don’t come crying to me when you get eaten half to death by centipedes,” Paul said under his breath. But Jacob was already gone from his workshop. The cool changing air of the coast washed over him. It would fall soon, and then the snow would come. He was nowhere near where he wanted to be on the house renovations. He’d wanted Maya to come home by winter break and see the new addition finished, ready for her to pick wall color and furnishings like he promised her. But now as Paul let his eyes drift over the backyard, he didn’t know if he’d make it. 

 

With a groan, he threw down the hammer on the floor again and stalked off to his bedroom. 

 

“Fuck this,” he said through gritted teeth as he tapped a quick message to Michael via text. 

 

P: I need you to negotiate an extension on that piece for Wateland. Knock down the price for the delay. 

P: I’m heading to New York tonight. 

 


 

 

 “I’m going to die if we do this for much longer,” Maya bemoaned to Beez who had her back turned to her, hunched over her desk in the low lamplight of their room. “Beez!” Maya whined. 

 

They’d been at their homework for over three hours at this point and Noah had been incessantly texting them from the karaoke bar to come and join him and some friends. They were adamant about getting this assignment done before the weekend though since the freshman mixer was scheduled for the next night and the plan was to get absolutely obliterated. 

 

“You’ll be responsible for murder, Beez,” Maya said as she collapsed onto her book. A non-committal noise sounded from Beez’s desk. Maya had been doing well over the past few weeks as she settled into her new routine at Columbia. She was taking a full courseload and the immense amount of work that afforded her gave her enough of a distraction from the growing ache in her stomach to act like a normal teenage college student. 

 

She and Paul had missed each other a few times that first week as Maya settled in. But after the first week, she was constantly chattering away with excitement about her classes, her friends, and New York to Paul. They video chatted almost every night before he left on rounds and Maya would smile as he’d walk her around their house, Jacob waving from the couch or out in the woodshop. He met Beez over video chat that first week and only prickled slightly when Noah waved from Maya’s doorway as he headed out back to his dorm. 

 

Paul didn’t look too bad—a little paler maybe—but the distraction of renovating the house and travelling to Seattle for work more and doing extra rounds seemed to be keeping him even. Maya could tell he was in a little bit of pain though every time they saw each other through the screen. 

 

Beez was talking under her breath at her desk now. Maya stared off into space with her cheek laid on her textbook. Her classes had definitely been more challenging than any coursework she’d completed in La Push, but Maya hadn’t realized she’d been craving something like this until it was thrust upon her. She was thriving even if this particular assignment was dragging her through the mud. Maya had always enjoyed being challenged intellectually and the atmosphere college provided her set her alight with new determination and fire to succeed. She knew after just her first week of classes that she had made the right choice to leave the reservation, even if that meant leaving Paul. 

 

Paul. Just the thought of him sent a pang through her stomach and settled uncomfortably between her legs. She’d be lying if she didn’t admit that his absence was overwhelmingly felt, especially at night. He infiltrated every moment of her dreams and punctuated her waking hours. She made sure not to dwell on him too much when she was awake because the ache would come roaring back to life, but she couldn’t help seeing his warm, smiling face, or his broad, muscular frame in her dreams. 

 

More than once, Maya had woken in a sweat after a particularly active dream where she’d felt his sweltering body on top of hers, his lips trailing down the side of her face to her neck, his hand placed expertly between her legs and shoving them apart for more access. To say she missed him was an understatement. 

 

As Maya let her mind wander to her most recent dream of Paul for just a moment—she was back in Santa Monica with him and his hand was gripped tightly to her waist, his thumb working at her center as she bounced on top of him, panting and exhausted but so full of him. She bit her lower lip, swallowing a smile before she heard Beez shout, 

 

“This doesn’t make SENSE! Come on, BEEZ!” Maya heard the distinct sound of her pencil rebounding off the wall and clattering to the floor. A knock sounded at the door and Maya jerked up, looking over her shoulder toward it. “That better not be fucking Noah come to drag us out of here. I’ve almost got it,” Beez revised her earlier confusion. 

 

Maya laughed and dragged herself up out of her chair, tightening the lopsided messy bun on top of her head and pushing back the sleeves of her dark blue, oversized Columbia sweatshirt. She’d bought one for Paul too. “I’ll tell him to get lost,” Maya said as she padded over to their door and yanked it open. The air felt sucked from her body though as she was overshadowed by the immense frame of—

 

“PAUL!” Maya all but screamed as she hurled her body into his. She heard that deep, familiar laugh wrack his body as she squeezed her arms around his neck letting out a sigh of relief into his neck. His arms were gripped down around her body, the hot expanse of his massive palms spreading pools of warmth within her. She let out of a huff of excitement, not realizing tears were springing to the corners of her eyes. 

 

She pulled back to look at his face, bringing one hand to the scruff of his cheek. The dark circles were apparent under his eyes, but the joy that spilled from them was enough to send her into overdrive. He looked at her like that. Like there was nothing else worth looking at. With another huff of elated breath, she closed the distance and pressed her lips to his full ones and drank him in and the world disappeared for a moment. Maya was gripping him so tightly that her hands started to hurt and when they pulled apart breathless, she eeked out, “What are you doing here? You’re a week early!” 

 

Paul nudged his nose against hers,  his hands tightening around her possessively, “I’d waited long enough. I needed to see you,” he said and the color of his voice somehow turned the brightness up in hers. She let out a small laugh that made his eyes shoot to her mouth momentarily before he said, “Miss me?” 

 

“So much,” she said as one of her tears of joy escaped the corner of eye and drifted down her cheek. He smiled and Maya’s heart ratcheted up as he brought his lips back down upon hers, flooding her mouth with the taste of forest, of home, of him. 

 

After a few heart stopping moments lost in him, Maya pulled back for air, her eyes half lidded in that heady warmth of love. She brought a hand to his face and he reveled in the sensation for a moment, pressing his hand on top of hers for a moment. 

 

“I”m so happy you’re here,” Maya said softly as she stepped back to wipe the tears off her cheeks. Paul automatically stepped forward into the room, hungry for her and determined for there to be no distance between them. “Oh!” Maya said as Paul wrapped an arm around her waist. “This is Beez!” Maya swiveled around and was met with the open mouth and shocked stare of Beez who had halted her homework at some point to watch the two lovers embrace. 

 

“Beez, this is my boyfriend Paul.” Maya said. 

 

“Uuuhhh,” Beez faltered staring up at the intensely tall and muscular man–definitely a man!—standing in her dorm. 

 

“Nice to meet you. Maya’s said you’re a great roommate, so thank you for making that part easy for her,” Paul said in his warm, friendly tone. Maya smiled up at him and she felt his hand tighten its grip on her lower back. 

 

“Y-y-yeah of course!” Beez finally managed as she stood up quickly, knocking over a cup of pens on her desk. She hastily held her hand out to Paul who leaned forward, not letting go of Maya and shook it gently. “You’re so...so…” 

 

Paul raised an eyebrow and looked from Beez to Maya, “Handsome?” he offered. Maya let out a laugh. 

 

Beez gestured widely with her hands to try and communicate the sheer size of him. Paul, catching on now, nodded. “I ate a lot of protein growing up.” 

 

“It’s the rez water,” Maya quipped, “Makes them extra beefy.” 

 

“Wow,” Beez sighed, her eyes clouding with that common look that most women outside of the reservation got when they saw a member of the pack. It was true, they were huge, gorgeous, towering figures. And their intense warmth emanated from their bodies offering some overwhelming feeling of protection to those nearby. Or maybe it was just all in their head, who knows, but the reaction from people outside of the rez was consistent. 

 

Behind Beez, her phone rang. She whirled around to snatch it up and clap it to her ear. Maya turned back to Paul, her heart nearly melting at the sight of him. He leaned his face down close to hers and kissed her forehead, wrapping another arm around her and pressing her against his body. Maya’s tension eased and she could feel Paul physically relax. It had been too long. 

 

“I didn’t mean to interrupt. I just thought five weeks was enough and I….needed you,” Paul admitted again. Maya gave him a reassuring smile and placed a hand on the side of his neck. 

 

“I know. It was too long, I hadn’t even realized how different I’d felt until just now.” Maya said. Paul relaxed a little at that. He’d been worried that the phone calls and video chats had been enough for her, but something in him felt satisfied that it hadn’t been, that she needed him too. 

 

“Okay! Fine! Jeez!” Beez hung up the phone and turned to Maya and Paul. “That was Noah. Our presence has been damn near demanded at Shilo’s this evening. Apparently, Professor Moore’s grad assistant is there and we might get the details for the midterm and a good face to match the name if we buy him beers or something.” Beez grabbed her light jacket off of her bed and started to put on her shoes. 

 

“Oh,” Maya said, turning to look at Paul again, “Uhh, well.” Now that Paul was here, she couldn’t and didn’t want to leave him. “I was gonna—” 

 

“Let’s go,” Paul offered gently. 

 

“Really?” Maya said, somewhat surprised. “But aren’t you hungry?” 

 

“Nah, I’m fine, let’s go get those midterm details. And I can meet the rest of your friends, right?” he asked. Paul was starving. He hadn’t bothered to eat before he left for his flight that afternoon, leaving in a rush but he wasn’t going to derail Maya because he’d shown up earlier than planned. 

 

“Okay!” Maya said, happiness pouring through her. This would be amazing, her two worlds colliding and she’d get to show off Paul. “Where are you staying?” Maya asked suddenly. 

 

“A brownstone in West Harlem,” Paul said nonchalantly. “Belongs to a client who’s currently in Europe for the next six months so…” 

 

“Nice,” Beez said. Maya let out a hum of excitement and pulled out of Paul’s arms to get changed. 

 

“I’ll just wait outside,” he said thumbing over his shoulder. When he left, Beez turned to Maya with an incredulous look on her face. 

 

“How did you land THAT?!” she squealed. 

 

“Keep your voice down!” Maya said, pulling on a long sleeve shirt and some high waisted jeans that hugged her curves. “It’s a long story.” After combing through her mess of hair and dabbing on some tinted chapstick, the trio were off in the direction of Shilo’s, a local college pub that thankfully never checked any ID. 

 

Maya threaded her hand through Paul’s and pulled him along through the pub toward a particular corner where her friends usually sat. When Noah spotted Beez and Maya across the pub coming toward them, he gave out a hearty, “Heeeeey!” to which the rest of the people in the group did too. Maya beamed and gave a short wave. 

 

She was proud of the friends she’d already made in the short time she’d been at Columbia. They had truly made her feel welcome and Noah especially had been kind in showing her and Beez all of the shortcuts to their classes, how to find their major advisor during the lunch hour when the department’s building was deserted and where to go for the best on campus coffee. 

 

Paul sat in a chair next to Maya and only then did she hear Noah ask, “Who’s this?” Noah’s eyes flitted confusedly from Maya to Paul. 

 

“This is my boyfriend, Paul!” Maya said to mumbles of assents and hellos around the table. “He’s in town for the weekend.” 

 

“Oh! This is Paul!” Noah said nodding and pouring a glass of beer from the table’s pitcher for each of them. “Well, you are fucking good looking. Good to know My-pie wasn’t exaggerating on that one.” 

 

Paul tried to hide the grimace at the nickname Noah termed Maya with and nodded, taking the glass of beer. The large group around the table raised their glasses in unison and they toasted. Maya leaned a little out of her chair to settle into Paul’s side as he draped his arm around her shoulder. 

 

After introducing each of her friends to Paul, they fell into casual conversation. Maya noticed that Noah was trying to keep up conversation with Paul, asking him what he did, how he liked Washington, if he had lived anywhere else, and digging for any common things they shared. Paul answered kindly, but his usual warmth that he shared with his brothers was nowhere to be seen here. He was definitely a little more on guard than usual, not giving any more information than was absolutely necessary without sounding rude. 

 

Beez and Maya were talking to Professor Moore’s graduate assistant, Tate, and trying to make get in his good graces to boost their chances of getting a more favorable grade on the midterm. Moore was known for his particularly brutal midterms, so any chance they had at succeeding they were going to take it. Tate seemed charmed by Beez, but was especially interested in Maya. Paul’s hand gripped her shoulder from time to time at a comment or two Tate would make at her, but that was the most reaction she got out of him seeing as he was preoccupied with Noah’s chattering. 

 

Around the time when Noah was bullied into getting another pitcher for the table, Maya excused herself to go to the bathroom. Paul’s face looked a little worn and Maya knew she’d need to dip out of the evening soon with him so they could have some time alone. 

 

On her way back from the bathroom though, Noah intercepted her, lightly grabbing her arm and tugging her toward the bar while he waited for his pitcher to be filled. 

 

“Can I help you?” Maya teased. Noah dropped his hold from her arm and they both leaned on the bartop conspiratorially. 

 

“So, that’s your boyfriend, huh?” Noah gave an impressed whistle and Maya let out a small laugh. 

 

“Yeah, he’s pretty great,” she smiled. 

 

“I’ll say, seems like he’s done just about everything under the sun at least once,” Noah crooned. 

 

“Well, he’s worldly like that. What were you expecting? Some backwater hick of a boyfriend that couldn’t string two sentences together?” Maya shot back nudging her shoulder into Noah’s. He shook his head with light laughter and leaned his head toward hers. 

 

“Nah, you’re too smart to settle for something like that. Plus, if he was anything other than what he is, I would have swept you off your feet day one, admit it,” he waggled his eyebrows at her and leaned his body toward hers playfully crowding her. 

 

“Oh please, you’re not my type anyway,” Maya rolled her eyes and used both of her hands to shove against his shoulder and he dramatically flung himself onto the bar. They both laughed and Noah righted himself to fling his arm around her shoulders and pull their heads together as he said softly to her, 

 

“No, My, he’s really great. I’m happy for you. It must be hard to be out here without him,” Noah always did this thing where he got right to the heart of stuff and while Maya still wasn’t sure of his intentions, he’d only been kind and endearing to her so far. 

 

“It’s definitely not a cakewalk,” Maya admitting, slumping a little sideways and leaning into Noah’s side as she reached to pull the pitcher of beer toward him, “But we’re making it work.” 

 

“Good,” Noah said, “Now all we have to do is find me the girl of my dreams. My dad said if I came back without a wife he’d personally enlist the help of our neighborhood’s matchmaker, who has successfully matched the pairing of three alley cat couples using expired cans of tuna. My prospects are not looking great.” Just as they leaned up away from the bar, she felt the familiar prickle of eyes on her. 

 

“Maya!” Paul said a little too aggressively, almost startling her. Maya turned as Noah let his arm drop, using both hands to hold the pitcher. “I think it’s time to go.” He said roughly. 

 

“Uuuuh,” Noah said confused for a half a second before Paul’s glare silenced him. 

 

“Paul,” Maya started, taking a step toward him. 

 

“Let’s go,” he said sharply again in that too loud, commanding voice. His eyes were on fire with what she could only place as anger and as Paul looked from Noah to Maya she realized what was fanning the flames—jealousy. She reached her hand out toward him and he took it quickly pulling her toward the door to Noah’s bewilderment. Just as Noah tried calling after them, Paul nearly yanked her through the front door of the pub as it clattered closed behind them. 

 

“Paul, slow down!” Maya said as he pulled her toward the street and looking to hail a cab. “You’re going to rip my arm off,” she said as he tugged her toward the curb. Paul looked down her, venom now painting his features and Maya let out a huff. Paul raised his arm and a cab pulled up a few seconds later. He yanked open the door and all but pushed Maya through it and when she settled into the backseat crossing her arms over her chest as he gave the address to the driver, she was teleported back to when they first got together. Had the trust between them really evaporated that quickly? 

 

Paul sat in stony silence as they wound through the city streets to the brownstone Paul was staying in. Maya was fuming but also a little worried—maybe this wouldn’t actually work the way they needed it to. 

 

“What happened back there?” Maya asked trying to be gentle. But Paul stared out the window, small tremors shaking through his body. “Paul?” Maya tried again, but still nothing. She leaned her head back on the seat and gave out a sigh. After ten minutes of silence, the cab pulled up to their destination and Maya got out of the car following Paul but halfway up the steps she stopped. 

 

“Paul!” she nearly shouted. “Talk to me. What happened?” 

 

“Come inside,” he said sharply, “Now.” 

 

Maya rolled her eyes at the commanding tone, “Not until you tell me what’s wrong.” 

 

“MAYA!” he whirled on her as the front door swung open, “Get inside now.” Maya faltered back a step and then, her face turned into a frown, stomped past him into the house. He closed the door roughly behind him and as she turned to confront him again, he was on her. His hands wrapped in her hair, tight on the back of her head and crushed her lips to his. Maya let out a whimper of surprise as she felt the roughness of his beard scrub against her chin. He didn’t let her go though and Maya began to melt into the all too good feeling of him. 

 

He backed her up against the wall, pressing his body onto hers so that her breath was all but knocked from her, his lips still frantic on hers, drinking her in, wanting more, demanding more from her. Maya’s hands fell to the top of his jeans, fingering the button clasp open and then letting her hands wander up under his shirt to feel his hard muscled body. God, she’d missed this. Paul wrenched his mouth off of hers for a second before descending on her neck, sucking and kissing and nibbling as little moans escaped her lips. His hands made quick work of her clothes, so much so that Maya was surprised to find that she was completely naked after just a short moment as she was caught up in his aggressive, peppered kisses down her body. His hand was between her thighs, spreading her and rubbing between her folds making her cry out. She hadn’t been touched like this in five weeks and it showed. She became putty in his hands, gripping onto his shoulders and biting against his chest as he pushed her close to her edge. When he ripped his hand away just as she was about to cum, she let out a distraught whine and threw her head back to look at him. 

 

“Paul,” she panted, breathless. He scooped her up easily into his arms and towed her toward the living room complete with too grand furniture and an old fireplace. He grabbed a soft knitted blanket off of the tufted leather couch and spread it on the floor before laying Maya down. After taking off his clothes, he settled between her legs, bringing his lips onto hers again in a fevered rush. Maya reached down between them and took his length in her hand and as Paul let out a strangled moan. Her hand felt so good on him that he thought he’d explode right there, but instead, he let her guide him into her, pressing her open and watching the pained look on her face relax as he stretched her open again. 

 

He sank slowly into her with all the control he had as she let out soft whines and wiggled underneath him trying to slow his path inside of her as she readjusted to him. 

 

“Fuck!” he moaned into her neck as Maya’s hands gripped his sides and he connected his hips to hers. “God, My,” he breathed, “I missed you so much, baby.” 

 

“Missed you!” Maya gasped as he leaned up and started to slowly pump in and out of her, watching her beautiful face roll from side to side, lost in the overwhelming sensation of coming back together. Maya felt the familiar tightening in her stomach of their imprint, their bond, their destiny, crying out in relief as he cradled her head under his forearm and lifted her other leg up so he could angle into her deeper hitting that sweet, sensitive spot he knew so well within her. 

 

It didn’t take Maya much longer before she felt herself shuddering around him, the pure absence of him before was starkly contrasted against him filling her now and it was almost too much. Maya threw her head back and pulled his head into her neck as she came around him, his orgasm not far behind as she clenched around him causing him to groan and slam into her quickly. 

 

After he slipped out of her and came to rest on his back next to her, they both panted in unison, alight with release in one another. 

 

“Paul,” Maya started again. But Paul got to his feet and pulled her up into his arms. 

 

“We’re not finished,” he said between breaths as he carried her up the stairs. Maya wrapped her arms around his neck and giggled as he lowered his face back down to hers enveloping her in a warm kiss before kicking the bedroom door closed behind them. 

 

The next morning, Maya sat perched on the barstool in the kitchen as she ate her eggs and toast. Paul was standing and eating in front of her, a relieved look on his face as he finally ate. After another moment of silence, Maya pushed her disheveled hair from her face and opened her mouth to try and address what happened last night again, but Paul started up before her. 

 

“Michael’s finding me a place to move into out here next spring. I’ll make sure it’s close to campus,” he said easily shoveling food into his mouth. 

 

“Wha—” Maya started, but again, he cut her off. 

 

“I want you to move in with me next spring out here. I’ll still have to travel off and on between here and home but Michael wants me to start building more clientele out here so we can expand my reach. My clients in Seattle can only refer me so much to their friends before the pool empties.” Paul turned toward the sink and started washing his dish. 

 

“What is this?” Maya said skeptically. 

 

“What do you mean?” he asked turning back to her and taking a drink of coffee. “I’m coming out here to work, My.” 

 

“Paul, I live in the dorms,” Maya said. 

 

“This semester, yeah. But next semester, if I’ve got a place, it makes sense for you to just stay with me, right?” he asked moving to pour himself some more coffee. Maya leaned her head down to rest in her hands and let out a frustrated groan. 

 

“Why were you so fucking weird at the bar last night when you forced me to leave?” she got out finally. 

 

“It was time to go. I didn’t feel like sharing your company anymore and we had...things to take care of,” he said, a small smile quirking at his lips. Maya groaned and looked at him, her hands cupped around her cheeks as she said, 

 

“You nearly yanked me out of that bar when you saw me and Noah talking. And now you’re moving out here next year? I thought we were going to try the visiting thing.” Maye bemoaned. 

 

Pauls hand gripped the countertop and she could see he was trying to steady himself, “My, that dude is into you and I was well within my rights to get you away from him. You’re mine. He needs to know that,” Paul said firmly. Maya stared at him, her eyes wide and her mouth slightly open. 

 

“Unbelievable,” she breathed. 

 

“What?!” Paul said, a tone of amusement in his voice. 

 

“You’re jealous of Noah?! Noah? Noah. Really? Noah?” she said over and over again as if saying his name would somehow make it more plausible, “You saw him right? Last night? And you’re jealous of him? Paul...come on,” Maya begged. 

 

“He was all over you, My!” Paul shot back, some of that anger laced jealous coming back. Maya gave a frustrated grumble and pushed back from the counter to come around and wrench open the fridge before shutting it again. 

 

“You can’t just move out here to keep tabs on me. I’m going to have a lot of male friends out here Paul, the department is DRIPPING with them. And none of them even come close to you, so I’m going to need you to not go all caveman on me every time I hang out with one of them. Besides, Tate was being way more obvious than Noah and you didn’t seem too threatened by him.” Maya was annoyed.

 

“I’m not coming out here to keep tabs on you,” Paul said leaning back against the sink and watching her. 

 

“Oh bullshit!” she said glaring at him. He raised an eyebrow at her, daring her for a fight and she let out an exhausted breath. She knew it was useless. He was going to move out here whether she wanted him to or not. “I’m staying in the dorms next semester, but I’ll obviously stay with you on weekends. But Paul, this is still my time out here. I know it’s been hard for you—” 

 

“No you don’t know, My. I can barely fucking concentrate back home. I can’t sleep, I don’t want to eat. I’m behind on a ton of deadlines and Jacob wants to strangle me every time I come downstairs in the middle of the night and wake him up with my table saw.” 

 

“You….you’re using your table saw in the middle of the night?” Maya said, a laugh just beyond her words. Paul stared at her, clearly on edge. She padded over to him and wrapped her arms around his torso, leaning her head into his chest. “I’m sorry it’s been hard for you. We knew this wouldn’t be easy. I just….” She pulled back to look up at him. His hand immediately cupped her cheek and she felt that breathless feeling push through her when he looked at her like that. The look that communicated that she was his and that there was no life without each other and she was silly for even trying. But she was still going to try. A look that, if it was at all possible, would probably get her pregnant. “Paul, I love you. I love our life in La Push, I just...was enjoying not blending the two together so quickly. Not yet anyway.” 

 

Paul’s eyes moved around her face, worry and concern pulling at his features for just a moment before he leaned down, pressed a sweet, soft kiss to her forehead and connected his eyes with hers before saying barely above a whisper, “Tough.” 

 

Maya’s eyes widened in surprise and then laughter. He swallowed her in another kiss and Maya let herself get lost for a little bit. If he was asking for this now, Maya knew it must have been hell back in La Push without her, so she wouldn’t push the topic of moving in together out here next year just yet. For now, she just wanted to let herself go and feel that familiar warmth fill her up. 






Maya turned on her phone as the plane landed and taxied to her gate. Paul had told her before she took off that he wouldn’t be able to come pick her up but that she’d send someone from the pack to grab her. Expectantly, she waited as her phone found service to alert her with a text of who would be picking her up, but none popped up. Maya frowned and opened her last text from Paul. 

 

M: Babe, who’s coming to get me? 

 

No answer. Not even as she deplaned and went to grab her suitcase that was mostly filled with textbooks and some Columbia gear to gift to the pack. As Maya made her way out of the Sea Tac airport to the pick up spot, she glanced around. The November air bit at her nose and she tucked into her jacket more, wishing that Paul had been there to greet her with his too hot arms wrapped down around her. 

 

Maya didn’t have to search for too long though before she saw a head towering above the rest of milling crowd getting into cars and exchanging hugs. Seth Clearwater waved from his spot beside his Subaru and Maya grinned making her way toward him. He enveloped her in a hug when she was close enough and Maya couldn’t help but feel like she was home. 

 

“Good to see you, Maya!” Seth said gently. Maya pulled back to look at him and shook her head. 

 

“I heard congratulations were in order,” she replied and he looked off to the side, a soft blush coming across his cheeks as he nodded before looking back to her. 

 

“Yeah, I just couldn’t help myself.” he said as he grabbed her suitcase and set it in the trunk before closing the passenger door after she clambered in. Paul had told her recently that Seth had popped the question to Sadie and she had obviously said yes. Maya was shocked—Seth and Sadie had known each other for less time than she and Paul and yet, here they were taking the next step. The council was obviously thrilled which made Maya squirm but before she could dwell too much on it, Paul had changed the subject, getting her input about a second bathroom for the guest bedroom addition. 

 

She had texted Sadie her congratulations but now, with Seth in front of her, it all became real. Is this how fast imprints moved? She knew that Emily and Sam had been a pretty quick affair even with the crushing fact that Leah and Sam had been together at the time. Kim had spilled that her and Jared got together almost immediately too and they had tied the knot when they turned 19 to no one’s surprise. But still, it all felt so…..fast. 

 

Maya asked Seth about school and how he and Sadie were doing now that they lived together and were planning a wedding. All seemed to be normal back at the reservation and that was comforting for Maya. The two hour drive back to La Push was filled with easy conversation with Seth but when they pulled down her drive to the familiar blue house, Maya almost squealed with excitement. She’d missed her home, she’d missed this life, and she was so excited to get almost ten full days of bliss with him, uninterrupted. 

 

Seth carried her suitcase up to the house despite her protests and as she unlocked the door and swung it open, she let her eyes sweep across the living room trying to take it all in before—

 

“OH FUCK!” she said, her eyes wide on the scene before her. She heard her suitcase clatter to the ground behind her that Seth no doubt dropped at the scream that rang out across the living room. Jacob and Becks sprang apart, fully naked and on her couch. Jacob grabbed a pillow and placed it in front of him as Becks wrapped herself in the knitted blanket that was kept thrown over the back of the couch. 

 

“Fuck, Maya!” Jacob shouted as he back away toward the bathroom, “I’m—” 

 

“My, this isn’t...I mean,” Becks started as she closed her eyes tight, as if she could make Maya and Seth disappear if she didn’t see them. “This is...Ah!” 

 

“What...the fuck!” Maya said, her eyes light with laughter. 

 

“SETH! TURN THE FUCK AROUND. MAYA PLEASE!” Jacob yelled as he stood half in and half out of the bathroom.

 

“Were you two just...were you...were you fucking on my couch?” Maya pointed toward the couch and Becks bit her lower lip so hard she thought she tasted blood. 

 

“Maya, I can explain.” Becks started. 

 

“You guys were. You guys were fucking on my couch. Oh my god!” Maya said, the panic starting to rise in her. 

 

“Can you give us a minute?!” Jacob shouted across the room. Becks looked over her shoulder at him as if to ask him to keep quiet. “I just want to put my pants on! Seth, get out!” 

 

Seth let out a barking laugh and hurdled out the door, his body already being turned away at Jacob’s original request. 

 

“Maya!” Jacob yelled again and her eyes snapped toward him. “Can you please go outside for a minute?!” he said, embarrassment thick in his voice. 

 

“I’m sorry,” Becks mouthed as Maya backed out of the front door, shutting it behind her and turning slowly. Seth was standing with his hands on his hips by his car. 

 

“Are they together?” She asked incredulously. 

 

“Looks like it,” Seth said, sucking a sharp breath in between his teeth. 

 

Everything and everyone was moving so fast—too fast. And now Becks and Jacob were….she couldn’t even think about it. Her hand tightened into a fist just as her cell phone buzzed in her pocket but she ignored it. She wasn’t upset that they were together, just that once again everything seemed to be so easy for everyone else and their imprint. 

 

Her phone buzzed again and she heard Seth’s voice swimming in her ear. 

 

“You should answer it, I think it’s Paul,” he said looking down at his texts. Maya dug into her pocket and answered. 

 

“Hello?” 

 

“Hey baby, did Seth get you okay?” 

 

“How long have Becks and Jacob been hooking up?” 

 

“What?” Paul said, taken off guard. 

 

“I just walked in on them going at it in our living room.” A groan could be heard on the other side of the line. 

 

“I’m coming home. I’ll be there in an hour, just sit tight.” he said not answering her question. Maya hung up and looked at Seth. 

 

“So how long have you known, then?” she asked. Seth shifted from one foot to the other. 

 

“A little over a month,” he said finally. Maya nodded her head and looked at the ground, letting the sting of it sink in. Her best friend didn’t even tell her, but everyone else seemed to know before her. 

 

She knew it wasn’t fair. She was all the way across the country trying to do her own thing. She’d chosen this, but still, she felt entirely left out of the loop. And the separation of it all made it all the more devastating. Seth looked at her, not knowing what to say and Maya stood frozen on her doorstep, the hurt twisting into that familiar anger that plagued her all too often now. She’d never felt so distant from her tribe or the pack than she did right now, even when she was all the way in New York. What was worse, she’d never felt this disconnected from her best fucking friend who obviously didn’t care enough to pick up the phone and tell her what had been going on and how so much had changed. 

 

Maybe they didn’t recognize this Maya anymore. And that realization started to scare her just a little bit. This was her home, so why did she feel a million miles away right now? 

 

The front door creaked open behind her and Maya slowly turned to see the sheepish look on Jacob’s face, Becks standing firmly next to him. Did she even recognize this Becks? Maya tried her hardest to swallow the tears rising in her throat but Becks could see the hurt there plainly. 

 

“My, I’m sorry I didn’t tell you...I...I didn’t think you’d take it very well...so I just..didn’t,” Becks started. Maya was still standing on her porch like she was a visitor to her home as Becks and Jacob stood comfortably in it’s frame. The sense of not belonging started to creep in all around her. 

 

“You didn’t tell me,” Maya repeated in a voice that she didn’t wholly recognize. 

 

“Paul thought it might be a good idea to—” Becks started, but Maya’s look silenced her. 

 

Paul thought!? Paul thought it might be a good idea not to tell me? What the fuck?! Maya was having a hard time controlling the anger that was bubbling up in her now, but she swallowed hard and nodded for Becks to continue. 

 

“Paul thought it would be a good idea to wait until we were all together to tell you. But obviously...this is not how we wanted to do it. My...Please, I’m sorry,” Becks said. 

 

But she couldn’t say what she was sorry for and that somehow made it worse. She wasn’t sorry she didn't tell her, just that she found out this way. And the distance only grew in Maya. 

 

“Come in,” Jacob said moving away from the door and Maya entered quietly, being invited into her own home and feeling worlds apart. Nothing felt like it was supposed to anymore but she was still hoping for anything to tether her to the spot. She turned and faced them before saying. 

 

“So tell me,” as she watched their faces morph into that of two worried parents consoling a child. “Tell me what’s going on.” 

Chapter 39: Fall break and double dates

Chapter Text

Change comes in a lot of different forms. And over the past 11 months, I’ve experienced almost every form of change that I can think of. Single to in a relationship. A teenager to an adult. Home to far, far away. Close and now distant, disconnected. Normal everyday girl to imprint. But even with all of those changes, I’ve somehow been able to hold on to who I am. So much feels like it’s in disarray now. Everything that seems like a loss has become a gain somehow but I still feel untethered. All that’s left to do is reach out, and hope that I’m pulled back to my familiar shore. He’ll pull me back, I know he will. 




Jacob heard the distinct skid and crunch of gravel outside as he picked his head up out of his hands. He glanced toward the door for just a second before Paul burst through. Jacob stood up quickly from his place on the couch and whirled to meet him. 

 

“Look, I’m sorry,” he started. 

 

“Where is she?” Paul said, irritation clear in his voice. 

 

“Upstairs,” Jacob nodded his head toward the staircase and Paul crossed over, dropping his keys. Jake could feel the heat radiating off him as he passed by. “It was an accident. We lost track of time,” Jake tried with his own tone of annoyance now. He knew Paul understood that when it came to imprints, things tended to go off the rails, especially when it came to sex. But Paul wouldn’t even glance over his shoulder at him. 

 

Instead, he took the stairs two at a time in furious silence. As he reached for the handle of their bedroom door, he hesitated. His eyes scanned up and down the door, listening for any sound of distress within but he was only met with silence and a soft scratching sound. 

 

Paul closed his eyes and took a deep breath to steady himself. With Maya gone so frequently, he found that his swing toward anger and irritation snapped out of him more easily, but he refused to present that side of himself to her. He gently turned the knob, looking over his shoulder at the taped off area across the landing where he was working on the upstairs extension above the guest room extension below. As the door swung open, his eyes immediately fell on the woman who flooded his thoughts. Even just the sight of her sent a rush of relief through him and his palms itched to touch her and feel the soft swell of her in his hands. 

 

Maya was sitting on the bed, her legs crossed underneath her and an array of text books, papers, pens, and notepads spread out around her. She was scratching out notes and her face had that determined look that he’d seen so often bent over the kitchen table or on the couch doing homework in the evening back when things were so new. Maya didn’t look up immediately at him when he entered, but instead finished her thought and took a deep breath before setting her pen in the center of her text book. 

 

Paul stood by the open door, hands rested casually on his hips as he watched her carefully. 

 

“Hey,” he finally said. Maya let out a laugh and stood up and Paul felt the overwhelming need to cross the bedroom toward her. But he stayed in place waiting for her queue this time. “I’m sorry. I thought she would tell you and when she didn’t….I just thought it would be easier to tell you in person.” He tried to explain. Maya had crossed her arms across her chest, the oversized, dark blue Columbia sweatshirt and Paul couldn’t help but let that same thought that dominated his mind to swim around in his head and perch on the tip of his tongue—the one that always echoed so clearly for him: Mine. 

 

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you,” he finally said instead in a breathy exhale. Being this close to her but not getting to touch her was starting to make his body ache. Paul trained his eyes to her face, searching for any feature or hint of smile that would beg him to come closer. Anything. 

 

“I know.” Maya finally said, letting her arms drop. The look on her face wasn’t one of relief though. Instead she let her eyes fall toward the ground and Paul could see that she was almost shaking. 

 

“Hey, woah,” he said, not waiting another moment to cross and take her in his arms. She collapsed into them gratefully and let out a weak sob into his chest. Maya could feel the stress of everything melt away under the too hot weight of his arms. Paul placed his broad hand on the back of her head gently and stroked her hair as the other looped down around her back and pressed underneath her sweatshirt causing a small gasp to escape her lips. 

 

“You okay? I’m sorry, babe.” He leaned away from her to try and take a better look at her face, but Maya held tight to him, burying her face against his chest and breathing in the scent of him. She tried to surround her senses with him—her anchor to home now that had felt so distant and lost to her just an hour ago—and tried to regain some normalcy. But everything felt like it was spinning and the only point that could keep her still was this enormous man holding tightly to her. 

 

Maya felt her body sway from side to side as he held her firmly and moved her body gently with his. She tried to stifle the sob that rose in her throat but it was too late. 

 

“Okay, come here,” Paul said softly as he gently lifted her off her feet and set her down the edge of the bed. He dropped to his knees and kneeled between her legs, cupping her face in both of his warm hands. His thumb brushed a tear that raced down her cheek. “What’s going on?” Paul said barely above a whisper. The pain evident in her face was leeching onto his. 

 

“I just,” Maya started pulling her face out of his hands. He dropped them to her thighs. Maya roughly pushed her palm against her cheek to dry her face, irritated with herself that she had ruined their first moment back home together with this. “Everything feels so different.” She finally managed, not looking at him. 

 

“What do you mean?” Paul offered. Maya took a minute, trying to compose herself but everything felt shaky again. She’d never felt this off kilter and for the first time ever she began to doubt herself and Chief Black’s words came roaring back about purpose and her tribe. What was she doing? 

 

“I just feel different...,” Maya let out a huff, “I feel like so much has changed and I just feel...left behind. And I know that’s so selfish of me to say—I left everything behind. Everyone,” she raised her eyes and looked at Paul who was so close to her now. His eyes were glued to her every move, every breath.  

 

“Baby, we’re still the same old sweaty pack,” an uneasy laugh escaped him, but he brought a hand up to push some hair behind her ear, “Nothing’s changed. Not really. This is still your home...our home.”

 

“Right,” Maya laughed, “Just my best friend couldn’t tell me she was sleeping with her imprint. That feels pretty huge. And my mom…” Maya stopped. She hadn’t meant to go there, but the limited contact she had had with her mother these past few months had started to wear on her. She never thought it would go this long—that they would mend everything pretty quickly—but neither Maya nor her mother wanted to apologize while they still felt hurt and this had dragged out the distance between them. Maya would only receive cursory check-ins from her mother and when she called home, her father would answer and let her know that he’d relay everything to Rish. 

 

And now that she was home, she felt that distance grow deeper in her and the wave of sadness came fresh again, crashing over her and pulling her down again. Paul pulled her into another hug. Maya tucked her face into the crook of his neck and squeezed her arms tight over his shoulders as she let herself cry. Paul’s broad hands splayed across her back, one tucked under her sweatshirt and drawing soft circles on her lower back. His heat enveloped her and in this deep sadness Maya didn’t know if she could do it anymore—if she could stay away from him for this long again and away from her home. And that feeling filled her with an overwhelming sense of failure that terrified her. But she wouldn’t speak it out loud just yet. 

 

“My, it’s okay. I’m here,” Paul soothed in her ear as he held onto her. And the sobs that had wracked her body slowly quieted after a few minutes as Maya felt she exhausted herself like a crying child. Her head lay limp on his shoulder now and as he let the silence sit comfortably between them, Maya used the back of her sleeve to rub the tears dry from her cheeks before sitting up and looking at him. A loving, sad look passed over Paul’s face as he took in the no doubt puffy, red, swollen mess that was her face at this moment. “I’m sorry all of this shit is dumping down on you at once. But I’m happy you’re home. And we can take it one day at a time. You can just relax and we can get Becks and Jacob over here when you’re ready and figure all of this out. And your mom…” Maya sucked in a heavy breath and Paul begged her to stay calm with his eyes. “She’ll come around. But you should try and talk to her. I know she misses you,” he said that last part softly and Maya took a minute to take some deep breaths before she said in a hoarse voice, 

 

“I know. I will.” 

 

“Good. How about we go grab some food and then just relax tonight. I know the pack is eager to see you and Emily organized that dinner this week so we can just be low key tonight.” Paul promised rubbing his hands up and down her thighs slowly. 

 

“Yeah, sure,” Maya said and then she looked toward the bathroom, “Need to take a shower though.” She rubbed her eyes with her sweatshirt covered hand and Paul stood up and crossed the room to turn on the shower for her. 

 

Maya took another moment to steady herself before following him. He turned to her and automatically started to undress her and Maya was grateful for it considering that she felt so deflated after the intense day she’d had. As he slowly peeled off her sweatshirt and then the tank top underneath, he leaned down to press soft, warm kisses against her shoulder, trailing them up to her neck and just below her ear. Maya sprouted goosebumps across her body. He kneeled down to bring her shorts down and let his hands softly drift up her outer thigh before pressing another string of kisses across the line of her hips. Maya let her hands fall to tangle in his hair and held him there gently as he hooked his pointer fingers on either side of her panties and pulled them down her legs. She gingerly stepped out of them and as he rose to meet her, always towering a good six inches above her head, she couldn’t help but give him a small smile. 

 

Paul’s thumb caressed the corner of her mouth as he looked down at her, all warmth and adoration pouring out of him. Maya still lost her breath every time he did that and when that wide smile broke out across his face, she felt that familiar, wanting, ache pulse between her thighs. Steam billowed up out of the shower as he leaned down to kiss her forehead. 

 

“It’s ready for you,” he nodded over his shoulder. Maya stepped around him and into the shower letting the water run down over her shoulders and her front. Paul watched her for a minute, letting his eyes coast up and down the length of her body and she could see that hungry look in his eyes. “I’ll be downstairs,” he said in a controlled voice. She knew he was trying to give her some time after she’d just cried her eyes out, but Maya was done with being apart from him. Her arm shot out of the shower and grabbed his wrist. 

 

“Come here please,” she said as her eyelids drooped to a soft half-lidded look. Paul wasted no time getting out of his clothes and coming into the shower, pressing her naked body to his and lowering his lips to meet her mouth—anything to make her feel good and let her know that everything would be okay, that he’d take care of her. Maya collapsed into the feeling of him and when he lifted her up, she wrapped her legs around his midsection so he could slide inside of her with a groan so deep that she thought she’d come right then at the sound of him. Even if home felt far away from her, she knew connecting like this would always feel the same with him. 

 




The next morning, after Paul left to meet up with Sam and Jared for morning rounds, Maya sipped her coffee and stared at her darkened phone deciding what to do. Becks had texted her a few times last night, but under Paul’s request, she had left her phone on the kitchen counter so they could spend the evening together without distractions. Now, after reading her texts this morning, Maya felt that familiar dread weigh over her. 

 

Becks: Maya, can we please just talk about this? 

 

B: I know you’re upset and I get that, but it was just too hard to tell you. You never liked the imprint and I just felt like...I don’t know that you wanted me to treat my imprint with Jacob the same way you did with Paul or you’d be mad at me. 

 

B: It sounds so stupid now that I type it out. 

 

B: But I...I think I love him and I didn’t know how to tell you. I wanted to. And Keye said I should have too. But I don’t know, My I think I was just scared that you wouldn’t be happy for me… 

 

B: It’s stupid. Just...call me when you’re ready to talk. 

 

Maya chewed on the inside of her cheek and reread the messages again, her hands hovering over the keys to type out a reply, to let her know everything was fine, that she wasn’t mad, and that she was happy for her. But was she? Had she really changed so much in the few short months that she’d been off the rez that people thought she was so anti-imprint that she couldn’t even be happy that her best friend was in love with her soulmate? Becks was right, it did sound stupid. 

 

Maya closed the message to her and hastily typed out the text “You free?” to the only person she knew wouldn’t bullshit her. 

 

Maya climbed down from Paul’s forerunner twenty minutes later in town just on the outskirts. She shoved her hands in the pockets of her black ripped skinny jeans that she wore with a burnt orange cropped top and a dark green flannel that she snagged from Paul’s side of the closet. Her black doc martens squished the wet and muddy earth beneath her as she walked toward the newly renovated garage. She could see Jacob bent over a bike, his large hands workly deftly in between the small spaces. Maya knocked on one of the new windows that looked into the garage next to the wide opening as a formality. He could have probably heard her coming from a mile away anyway. 

 

“Hey,” Maya said gently, crossing her arms over her chest now. Her eyes scanned the interior of Jacob’s modest garage. It was only big enough for two bays at this point, but they planned on expanding the opposite wall to hold two more bays in the future. She had to admit though, Paul and Jacob (and the whole pack she was sure) had done a lot of work in the short time before the winter weather was due to settle in. It was a functioning garage, albeit needing some refined touches and a fresh coat of paint. “Looks good in here,” she said leaning against the opening of the garage. Jacob looked up and gave her that sunshine smile he was known for. 

 

“I had a little help,” he said as he glanced back down at the bike and wiped his hands with the cloth nearby. He pulled over one of the rolling chairs he used to sit and work in and offered it with an outstretched hand. Maya crossed the cold cement and plopped down shifting from side to side and biting her lip, not sure where to begin. 

 

“Maya, I really am sorry about yesterday. That was completely my fault and I know Becks doesn’t feel good about it either,” Jacob said in a warm voice. Maya looked up at him now and gave him a reassuring smile. 

 

“It’s okay, Jake. I’m not mad,” Maya let out a huff of air, “Surprised? Absolutely. But not mad.” 

 

“Really?” Jacob quirked an eyebrow at her and Maya rolled her eyes in annoyance. 

 

“Yes, really. Why does everyone think I’m going to freak out? I was just surprised. My best friend didn’t tell me about her soul mate. We’ve told each other everything since we were 6, Jacob. I was caught off guard, okay?” 

 

“Okay, okay. I believe you,” Jacob said and she knew by the tone of his voice that he did. 

 

“Soooo. Do you love her?” Maya said. Jacob let out a barking laugh. 

 

“Wow, you really get right to the point huh?” 

 

“I could say the same about you,” she egged him on. Jacob smirked. 

 

“Fair enough,” Jacob twisted the rotating head of the socket wrench in his head and with a deep sigh he looked at Maya with such assuredness as he said, “Yes. I love her.” 

 

Maya stared at him, her heart stuttering to a stop momentarily as tears sprang to her eyes. He loved her and she had wanted nothing more in this world than to see Becks happy. 

 

“Good,” Maya said in an elated whisper. Jacob mirrored her face, a shining light of tears in his eyes now too before he grunted and shook his head. 

 

“You know, after everything, I really never thought something like this would happen. And not just imprinting, I mean like love. I never thought I could love someone as much as...well,” He paused and sniffed to try and clear his throat. “To be loved by someone like Becks is….I didn’t know you could be loved like that. I guess I didn’t know that love could feel like that.” 

 

“She’s amazing,” Maya commiserated and Jacob hiccuped another laugh in agreement. 

 

“She really is,” Jacob looked at Maya directly now, “Paul’s helping me with blueprints for a house. I bought a piece of land across from the river. But I promise you, I won’t let her down. I won’t disappear again. There’s nothing for me out there anymore without her, you know?” he said, determined. And Maya believed him, even if she did so hesitantly. There was still so much she didn’t know about why he had left, why he had stayed away, and then why he finally came back. But she believed him. 

 

“I know you’ll take care of her. I just wanted...to know,” Maya said with a sigh. 

 

“And now you know,” Jacob concluded. “Now, speaking of imprints. Becks told me you’re a glutton for driving Paul crazy. So how about we take these bikes out for a test drive to make sure they’re running smoothly?” He grinned that megawatt smile and Maya couldn’t help but laugh springing up out of her seat. 

 

“Sure!” she said excitedly, “I haven’t ridden one of these in a few years though. Dad taught me when I was 14 but after my last near death experience, I promised my mom I would stay off of them.” 

 

“Parents,” Jacob bemoaned and with another smirk, he handed her a helmet which she gladly took. 

 

Riding with Jacob down the back streets and more well maintained paths throughout the rez was exhilarating. And even as the cool autumn wind whipped around her, almost freezing her to death, she finally felt like she was home. Jacob crowed beside her as they careened down the winding mountain road that overlooked the ocean. They rode around the reservation and through the town of Forks and up to Clallam Bay where they stopped for some fish fry and gas before heading back. 

 

When they pulled up to the garage around 1 that afternoon, Maya was unsurprised to see Paul standing in front of the garage, leaning against the closed door with his arms crossed over his chest. Jacob and Maya dismounted and walked the short distance to the garage. Her cheeks were tinged bright red and the smile that shone from her face melted Paul’s stern demeanor as she approached. 

 

“Hey man, didn’t know you’d be stopping by,” Jacob said nonchalantly, very much aware that Paul would probably want to bite his head off for this too. Paul nodded as Jacob unlocked and pulled up the garage door so Maya could park the bike inside. Once she had it propped up, she turned to see Paul watching her from the doorway and she skipped over, all smiles. He brought his hot hands to her cold cheeks and leaned down to kiss her warmly. Maya shivered at the welcomed heat. 

 

“Go easy on him.” she said sweetly as she ran both of her hands down his chest covered only in a light t-shirt. The side of his mouth quirked into a brief smile before he nodded off behind him.

 

“Go wait in the car and warm up.” He kissed her again, glad to feel that she was buzzing with excitement, her cloudy demeanor having evaporated now. 

 

“Bye Jake!” she called over her shoulder as she skipped off toward the forerunner. Jacob waved and turned his gaze uncertainly to Paul now.

 

“Taking imprints on joy rides now?” Paul said. His tone wasn’t angry or annoyed, but more so filled with surprise. He didn’t think he’d find Maya with Jacob of all people today. But when Seth had let him know when he phased that they were riding up through Forks and out of town, he couldn’t help but feel somewhat relieved. 

 

“Ah, yeah. She just needed to get out so I took her for a ride up to Clallum Bay. She wanted to talk about the whole Becks situation,” Jacob offered. 

 

“And? Did you talk?” Paul probed, still unsure. Jacob never really made sense to him, not when he joined the pack and less even now. He was unpredictable, kind of like Maya, but at least with Maya he had a fighting chance to get her to keep him clued in. Jacob was still a closed book. He could drop in and out of the pack mind whenever he wanted and his reasons for leaving in the first place still set Paul on edge. And while he felt comfortable in the fact that he knew Maya would be safe with him if any trouble arose, he still wasn’t sure how reliable he was as a member of this pack. Let alone what Sam had suggested to him this morning on rounds. 

 

“We did. She said she’s happy for us, so, problem solved. You’re welcome,” Jacob busied himself with organizing his tools at his workbench and Paul watched him carefully. 

 

“Have you thought anymore about what your dad asked?” Jacob tensed at Paul’s question and he could feel the hairs on the back of his neck bristle—a warning. 

 

“Nope,” he said simply. 

 

“Well, now Sam is asking,” Paul answered sternly. Jacob’s eyes snapped up to him. 

 

“Sam too?” He shook his head almost in disgust, “You guys really put too much faith in me.” He let out a frustrated laugh. 

 

“Think about it. That’s all he’s asking,” Paul continued. 

 

“What’s there to think about?” 

 

“Your birthright,” Paul said more forcefully. “I was never meant for this job and frankly, I’m not interested in doing it much longer now that you’re here. It’s unfair to hold Sam to it now that Emily is pregnant again and he’s tired.” 

 

“My birthright? God, Paul give it a rest. Are you and Maya trying to have kids now or something?” he shot back.

 

Paul glared at him from his place by the door and didn’t answer him. Jacob grimaced and looked down at the bike.

 

“Anything else?” Jacob asked. Paul could tell he was angry. 

 

“No. Thanks for hanging with Maya today,” Paul turned on his heel and walked toward the car, trying to calm the tremors running through him before he got to the car so he could coast Maya through on her good mood. 

 

When he popped open the driver side door, Maya was on the phone with someone, and from the faint, high-pitched voice he could pick up on the other end, he had an idea of who it was.

 

“Yeah, no, that sounds good. Okay I’ll text you a time. Bye!” Maya hung up the phone and looked over at Paul. “Were you nice?” She teased. 

 

“For the record, I’m always nice,” he said back with an equally teasing smile. Maya scoffed playfully and looked out the passenger window as they pulled back onto the main road home. 

 

“When you’re in your human form maybe,” she retorted. When he let out an incredulous laugh she turned to look at him again, “Oh don’t play me, Lahote. I’ve heard the horror stories from your brothers. And I thought you were bossy with me. But I apparently had no idea.”

 

“Yeah, yeah, it’s all fun and family until I’m responsible for keeping a bunch of distracted idiots alive,” he returned with a grin. “Who was on the phone?”

 

“Sadie,” Maya was going through her text messages now, “She wants to see if we want to go on a double date with her and Seth tonight but I told her I’d check in with you and see how you were feeling.” 

 

“Oh,” Paul said, his eyes lit up with the possibility of taking Maya on a proper date. He was also taken off guard by her considering his feelings on it, but maybe he shouldn’t have been surprised. Paul had never really had a woman looking out for him before—even his relationship with Rachel was strictly physical for the most part and they rarely went on dates. “A double date sounds good. Seth could probably use a break from pack drama anyhow,” Paul sighed. 

 

“What do you mean?” Maya asked, one eyebrow arched curiously. 

 

“He’s mostly the go-between for me and Sam to Jacob since Jacob willingly bows out of the pack mind whenever he wants to. And lately things have been….tense,” Paul edged looking out over the terrain. 

 

“Because of Becks?” Maya asked, confused. Paul glanced at her and shook his head. 

 

“No, everyone is excited about that. We all love Becks. It’s just this alpha stuff with Jacob is not going well,” Paul continued. “His father asked him to consider taking the pack over from Sam and by proxy, me, and he’s been pretty resistant to the whole thing. Seth’s been trying to talk to him about it, but Jacob can be kind of stubborn,” Paul threw a knowing smile her way. 

 

Maya focused her gaze on Paul and got lost in thought for a moment before saying, “Jacob doesn’t want to be alpha?” 

 

“No. To be fair he never has, but it’s more about what he needs to do now for the pack, versus what he wants. Plus, I’d like a break if I’m being honest. I want to spend more time with you and start our life and that’s hard to do with everything, you know?” Paul felt like he was unloading some massive secret on her and he worried about the weight of it, but she didn’t seem deterred from the conversation. 

 

“Right,” Maya said, her face screwed up in concentration as she worked the problem. Paul knew that she wouldn’t oversimplify things into needs versus wants. He could only imagine that she was considering how this would affect Becks and Jacob long-term and how she’d feel if someone told her the needs of her tribe came before her desires for herself. She knew that feeling all too well. 

 

“So date night?” Paul asked, trying to pull Maya out of her reverie. She turned her face and smiled at him. 

 

“Date night,” Maya confirmed, beaming with the possibility of having a real date for once. 

 


Sadie and Maya decided on keeping it casual and they opted for a hole-in-the-wall restaurant that served tacos in Forks. But even if they kept it casual, Maya felt like dressing up for Paul, so she donned a dark green miniskirt that she paired with a fitted black long sleeve shirt that dipped in a sweet heart neckline. She paired it with her knee high black suede heeled boots that gave her a couple extra inches of height and curled her hair in thick billowing waves. Paul pulled on a black t-shirt over his dark wash jeans as he walked into their bathroom as Maya finished patting on some coppery eyeshadow and some red tinted lip gloss. 

 

“Hey,” she said softly as he came up behind her and lowered his face to kiss her exposed shoulder. Maya reached behind her to put her hand on the back of his head, playing with the hair at the nape of his neck. “This is getting long. I like it,” she said. 

 

“Mmm,” he hummed into her neck as he pressed his blazing lips to her skin. His hand wrapped around her waist and splayed against her stomach as he pulled her back flush against his chest. Maya let out a contented sigh as she watched them in the mirror, his face buried in the crook of her neck as soft sounds involuntarily escaped her lips from the thrill his hands gave her. 

 

“I’m happy you’re home,” he murmured just below her ear between his volley of kisses. Maya smiled and let out a gentle laugh. 

 

“Me too, I missed this,” she closed her eyes and leaned her head back against his shoulder as he continued. 

 

“Feeling better?” he asked lifting his head to look at her in the mirror now. She met his gaze and through half-lidded eyes and a pleased smile, she said, 

 

“Getting there.” 

 

“Let’s go,” he said, kissing the side top of her head and dropping his hand to thread with hers, pulling her out of the bathroom and down the staircase. 

 

Now tucked into his side at the taco shop with Sadie and Seth across from them in the booth, Maya felt like herself again. She took another bite of her taco as Paul laughed in a way that made his whole body shake next to her and she couldn’t help but laugh too as Seth threw his hands up in the air and looked at Sadie with a look of shock and amusement. 

 

“We have to invite your family and that includes your brothers, are you crazy?!” Sadie retorted as she took a sip of her margarita. 

 

“Do you understand how much they’ll eat?! That alone is going to cost us over half of the budget. Plus, they can just catch the highlights later on rounds,” Seth teased. He’d never not invite his brothers to his wedding but he was having fun poking at Sadie with his absurd requests. “Let’s just get married on that cool rock I showed you last weekend. February isn’t that cold if you’re high enough above the water.” 

 

Sadie looked at him wide eyed and then slowly brought her gaze to Maya who was trying to hold in her laughter. 

 

“He’s right. It’s at least 10 degrees warmer up on the cliffs. Maybe,” Paul supplied. 

 

“What’s the guest list at now?” Maya asked curiously trying to bring the conversation back on the rails that Seth was so bent on derailing for the sake of fun. 

 

“Uuuh, like 127 I think?” Sadie said, relief coming back to her voice and happy that a real question was being asked. “That’s if my extended family makes the trip out here from Vancouver and if Leah comes.” 

 

Seth tensed up at this and was suddenly engrossed in his plate of tacos. Maya glanced from Sadie to Seth worriedly and then she heard Paul say gently next to her. 

 

“Is Leah coming?” When there was silence for a beat, he probed, “Seth?” 

 

Seth’s face shot up and he looked at Paul as if he hadn’t quite understood the question, as if a teacher had called on him and he wasn’t ready with an answer. 

 

“I don’t know,” he finally murmured, that playful look in his eyes evaporating. 

 

Maya had never met Leah, but her reputation was well known amongst the pack. She had disappeared around the same time Jacob had and Paul said every now and then she would visit the rez but stay in wolf form. It helped her to keep her distance and not feel like she was obligated to do anything. They tried to respect her need to stay away, but from how Paul described it, she had left a considerable hole in their pack. Like Jacob, she had been able to disconnect from the pack mind and wanted to keep it that way—no one could blame her considering her history, but still, it hurt every time someone mentioned her name or saw that lingering look in Seth’s eyes as he looked out over the cliffs and thought about his sister. 

 

Sadie had put her hand on Seth’s arm and he had turned his head to lean down and kiss it, trying to shake off the gloom that settled around the table now. Paul watched with a stern look on his face—a big brother wanted to protect his little brother—and tugged Maya closer to him for reassurance. Loss was one of the strongest emotions that reverberated through the pack mind unfortunately and any hint of it had Paul heading for the hills usually. But now that he had Maya, his anchor, his singular point on the map, he felt steady even with the onslaught of emotions that the pack mind buried him in. 

 

“She’ll come,” Sadie said softly. 

 

“Yeah, she will,” Paul echoed. Even if he had to find her himself, he’d make sure Leah was at Seth’s wedding. 

 

Sadie steered the conversation to more lighthearted topics about how Maya was liking Columbia, how Paul’s work was going, and what their plans for Christmas were. They even ventured onto the topic of Jacob and Becks. 

 

“Ten bucks says he asks her to marry him,” Seth joked. 

 

“What?!” Maya said surprised. 

 

“Oh, I’ll take you up on that,” Sadie replied, “Except, I’d wager he’s more likely to knock her up. Those two are kind of disgusting to watch.” 

 

“WHAT?!” Maya said, turning her panicked eyes to Paul. 

 

“Relax,” Paul said with a laugh, “He is pretty into her. He’s determined to have that house done by next summer so who knows what he has planned.” Maya’s mouth hung open in amused shock, “You’re happy for them, remember?” Paul offered as he poked her in the ribs. 

 

“I am!” Maya said as he looked back over to Sadie and Seth who were still talking about the plausibility of having two weddings in one year, theirs and Jacob and Becks’. 

 

“What about you two?” Seth said between a mouthful of tacos. 

 

“Huh?” Maya offered, thrown off by the line of questioning. 

 

“Yeah, when are you two getting married? By pack standards, your relationship is ancient as boyfriend and girlfriend,” Sadie laughed. Maya shot her gaze to Paul who looked unrushed, unworried, and unfazed. 

 

“I mean...I—” Maya faltered, trying to formulate an answer. She worried that Paul was expecting her to answer since it was probably Maya who would be the one that would hold their relationship back if he even asked right now. But he surprised her, 

 

“We’ll do it when we’re ready. It’s not a race, contrary to what you all seem to think,” he said the last part with sarcasm and glanced at Maya, “When we’re both ready, right?” Maya gave him a soft smile and nodded. 

 

“Yeah, we’re in no rush,” she answered. “But I’m not opposed obviously,” she added. 

 

“And kids?” Sadie asked nonchalantly. 

 

“Of course. Who wouldn’t want to have kids with this guy?” Maya laughed and looked at Paul. His eyes were shining with promise and something she had never seen before, a type of excitement that she couldn’t quite understand. 

 

Paul squeezed her thigh under the table and Maya watched his face carefully. That look of excitement sparked something in her belly that made her ache and set her nerve endings on fire. It was like her body was waiting for a cue and Paul had supplied it and now all she could do was react. Sadie and Seth were going on about more wedding preparations when Maya excused herself to the restroom to cool off. 

 

Now, standing in front of the mirror in the single room bathroom she patted a cold, dampened hand on the back of her neck. She took a few deep breaths to steady the neediness creeping between her thighs before she unlocked the door and pulled it open. But just as she did, she was lifted and carried back over it’s threshold. Paul shut and locked the door behind him and before she could even gasp out his name, his lips were on hers, his hands pawing underneath her skirt and walking her backwards toward the sink. He’d already slipped two deft fingers into her wet center as his other hand held onto the side of her neck, his tongue running soft circles in her mouth. Maya let a small moan escape her and that snapped him back. His eyes were on her, hungry as he  gave her that mischievous smile that made her heart flip. 

 

He removed his two fingers and turned her so that she was facing the mirror, her hands braced on either side of the sink. Maya had barely opened her eyes before she felt his leg push between both of hers, kicking them open and bending her slightly over the sink. 

 

“All that stuff about marrying you and thinking about you having my babies,” he huffed as he undid his jeans and rubbed up against her core causing her to whimper, “Drives me nuts.” He said. Maya gave him a teasing smile and as he pushed into her from behind, she let out a too loud moan that caused him to pull her up against his chest. He brought his lips to her ear and said in a heady whisper, “I can’t fucking wait, My.” He promised. 

 

As he rutted into her, his other hand dipped under her skirt and worked at the sensitive bundle of nerves causing Maya to careen into that dark pocket of pleasure he knew so well. When she opened her eyes, she saw that he was watching her, hungry, determined, and possessive and Maya shuddered and mewed his name. Paul sped up as he watched Maya in the mirror, her moans and gaze egging him on. As he finished inside of her, Maya collapsed forward onto the sink, not realizing how loud they probably were. He looped his forearm around her middle and pulled her up to him so that he could kiss the side of her face. 

 

“I love you, My,” he said softly. Maya hummed in happiness as she tried to catch her breath. 

 

“I love you,” she breathed and he rubbed along her hip and as he watched them in the mirror. “You think they heard us?” she asked. This caused Paul to start laughing that whole body laugh with a smile that made her light up. 

 

“Oh yeah,” he said between laughs. 

 

“Fuck,” she said half heartedly. If she was being honest, she didn’t really care. Her love for Paul knew no bounds at this point and she was going to revel in every moment with him while she was still here and felt most like herself. 

Chapter 40: A side dish of surprise

Chapter Text

Your past will always catch up with you. No matter if you leave it behind, it will always become part of your present again at some point. Rearing its ugly head at a seemingly inopportune time, or welcoming you back under its fold like a weighted blanket to keep you in place and on your destined path. But what if the past is...complicated? What if the path that you chose in your past no longer fits into your future? And what if you left your past self and everything in it behind for a reason? Does it still impact your future? My ancestors would say yes. But I don’t think they ever dreamed of a future where sworn enemies become unnatural friends or a scenario where you must always bend and but never break. 


 

 

Maya found herself sitting at a too grand table at Emily’s house for their pack gathering feast. No one had come to sit outside with her though and the wind was biting at her bare shoulders.

 

Where is Paul? She wondered as she let her eyes scan the tree line that backed up Emily and Sam’s property.

 

The table was empty save for her plate and when she looked down at it, a single frost covered leaf lay in the center of it. From within the house, she could hear murmuring, cheerful laughter, warmth, but she didn’t go inside. Instead, she stayed rooted to her chair, scanning the forest and wondering, He should be here.

 

Just as it began to get dark, Maya heard laughter bubbling toward the back door and she turned to look over her shoulder to see the broad figure of Jacob with Becks tucked under his massive arm. Maya gave a small smile and Becks, who had been laughing and looking at the ground, raised her eyes to meet hers and returned the smile. Maya finally stood up as they drew closer, but knew they weren’t alone.

 

Where is Paul?

 

Jacob was looking over his shoulder at the added company and talking, as Becks kept her eyes glued forward, a permanent smile on her face. When they finally reached Maya, they parted to reveal a figure, with stark red eyes, almost burning in the dark. Maya sucked in a sharp breath, ready to scream, as she felt an icy cold chill settle in her belly.

 

Only then did she realize, the sounds of laughter within hadn’t been laughter at all, but screams, and a pool of blood was now leaking from the door and down the porch steps behind the red-eyed figure. Maya felt the scream rise and burn in the back of her throat only to be met with the lightning fast hand that gripped her throat to silence her.

 

Maya jerked awake in the cool, darkened room that was beginning to brighten with the cold blue light of early morning. The icy grip she had felt tightening around her throat had evaporated as she realized that it was a dream and Paul….Paul was right here. When she had startled awake, she felt his grip around her back tighten ever so slightly, instinctively, but now as she breathed a little easier, his hand softened and his quiet, even breathing filled the room.

 

Maya cuddled closer, pressing the front of her body flush against his side as she draped her arm across his chest and laid her head in the crook of his neck. His arm that wound around her responded and tightened her against him as his hand rubbed along her hip absently. His breathing never changed though and Maya settled back into the comfortable quiet of him as she tried to shake off the image of the burning red eyes in her dream.

 


 

“My, let’s go!” Paul called up the stairs as he fastened a watch around his wrist and threaded a button through the cuff of his green plaid jacket lined with thick sherpa wool. After a few seconds, the soft clop of Maya’s heeled boots could be heard coming down the stairs. She was affixing a gold hoop earring into her left ear.

 

“We match,” Maya said with a feigned look of surprise. Paul humored her, raising an eyebrow and letting his eyes coast the length of her body. She was wearing a dark green cropped knit sweater that showed the smallest sliver of skin at her waist before making way to her long, curved legs sheathed in tight black jeans. The light brown suede boots ended just above her ankles and gave her a good three inches of new height. Paul couldn’t help himself wrapping an arm down around her back and letting his broad hand squeeze the curve of her ass stuffed into those skin tight jeans. He leaned forward and chuckled pressing a kiss to her forehead before saying in a low voice,

 

“We do match. How did that happen I wonder?” Maya smiled up at him, holding onto the opening of his jacket and pressing a kiss to his throat. Whether it was intentional or not, Paul noticed that Maya would try to incorporate the same color or a complementing one into her outfit when she peeked at what he wore. He assumed it made her feel more in step with him considering how she had felt since she got home—seemingly disconnected from her home. But she was feeling warmer, more settled now, despite the growing anxiety Paul felt between them as the fall break began drawing to a close. He’d avoided thinking about letting her out of his arms, back onto that plane, and flying nearly 3,000 miles away from him. His hands ached at the thought and so he ran them up and down the back of her ass a few times before giving one cheek a quick, gentle slap.

 

“You ready?” he asked as she grinned up at him widely with that warm, honey look of love.

 

She nodded, excitement brimming behind her eyes and he led her outside to the forerunner after helping her into her thick coat.

 


 

The gathering at Sam and Emily’s was boasted as a family gathering, which meant the invitation was extended not just to the pack but everyone they considered family as well. When Paul and Maya arrived, the clearing in front of the expanded bungalow was already packed with vehicles. Maya could hardly contain her excitement as she jumped down from the car and quickly took Paul’s hand as he came around the hood of the car and started pulling him toward the door. When she pushed open the front door, her eyes wide with expectation, she was not disappointed by the howling greeting of hellos and “You’re here!” as she was scooped up and spun around into the arms of Paul’s brothers.

 

“Ladies and gentleman, the biggest brain in the room,” Embry joked and Maya dropped into a lazy curtsy. Emily pushed her way through the throng, her pregnant belly clearly protruding from her before wrapping Maya into a warm hug, “Welcome home, we missed you!” she said softly into her hair. Maya blinked back the tears that she felt threatening to form at the corners of her eyes and grinned like an idiot.

 

The house was packed—not only were Paul’s brothers there, but Embry’s grandparents, Sue Clearwater, Chief Black, Quil’s mother, and the parents of a few younger members of the pack were all stuffed into every corner of the home. And it was clear that not everyone had arrived yet. As Maya was pulled into conversation about her time away at college, Paul mingled in with some of the pack’s family members to allow Maya to be surrounded by his brothers and their imprints. Her head was spinning a little bit but when Seth and Sadie showed up to cheers of congratulations, and Keye barreled through the door nearly tackling Maya in a prolonged hug that left her void of breath. She couldn’t have felt more at home if she tried

 

The room was buzzing with conversation when Jacob and Becks sauntered through the door looking rosy. Maya watched as Jacob tightened his grip on Becks’ hip as he nodded at Chief Black and gave a quick, “Dad.” in confirmation. Chief Black smiled back genuinely, and gave Becks a satisfied look that she pretended not to notice before locking eyes with Maya. Her face flooded with hesitance, but Maya crossed the room quickly and pulled her out of Jacob’s one armed grip into a tight hug. Becks let out a loud huff of air followed by a squeal of excitement as she returned the hug. Keye was quick to join in and Maya struggled to keep it together again.

 

She hadn’t realized the hole that had been forming within her after she’d left for college. She thought things were going to be easy, that coming back wouldn’t feel like taking the first gulp of fresh air that she’d had in awhile, but she’d been wrong. She hadn’t realized how her family, this family, with Paul and Becks and the pack, were the ones that connected her to who she was becoming. She hadn’t quite lost the thread of herself in New York, but new pieces of her were being pasted over the old Maya that she knew and she'd realized a little too late that it had been slowly peeling parts of her away. She’d have to find a better balance between La Push and school to stay connected to this part of her and ensure she never felt like this when coming home again.

 

As timers announced rolls were ready and pots bubbled over with delicious sauces, potatoes and corn, and more, Maya, Becks and Keye, found themselves sitting on the floor of the open living room with a few pack members, Sadie, Kim, and Sam’s son Luca and daughter Lenora. Paul had ambled over amidst his conversation with Chief Black to hand Maya a glass of wine which she took gratefully as they all crowded around a board game spread out on the floor. Becks was answering questions about her first semester at Northwestern and how she was liking her courses. She was studying architecture and had gone to a department mixer the week before that had her seriously reconsidering her major after she joked that the schools soccer team had ambled into the bar they had occupied. Jacob, within earshot rolled his eyes and carried on his conversation with Sam and Quil near the kitchen as Maya tried to stifle a laugh. Seems like she wasn’t the only imprint who liked to drive her partner crazy.

 

When the front door tentatively creaked open, a few heads whipped toward it. Maya didn’t think another person could possibly fit in this tiny bungalow, but her eyes widened with surprise when a shaggy haired Jeremy ambled through the door, nodding his head and trying to quell a smile as Seth, Embry, and Jared shouted an exuberant hello. Maya jumped to her feet, completely overwhelmed and flung herself at him. She hadn’t seen him since the day after Jacob had imprinted on Becks at Paul’s party. He caught her easily, but was surprised when she clamped her mouth shut around a breaking sob.

 

“Jer!” she said into the side of his head. Jeremy laughed a little and nearly crushed her in a hug.

 

“How’s my favorite fake girlfriend?” he said. His voice sounded different, thinner, as if words were an effort, but Maya didn’t care just then. She pulled back to look at his face and beamed. Jared clapped Jeremy on the shoulder and he set Maya down as his brothers began crowding around him save for Paul, Sam, and Jacob of course.

 

“Man, what the hell! I didn’t know you’d be here!” Jared crowed.

 

“Long time no see,” Seth said with a spark of gratitude in his eyes. Maya kept her eyes glued to Jeremy’s face as it filtered through moments of appreciation, recognition, fleeting happiness and then quick flashes of pain. Her hand gripped his forearm in consolation but he gave her a pained smile and just shook his head.

 

“Yeah, yeah, you guys can’t get rid of me yet,” Jeremy said offhandedly as he scanned the faces before him, careful not to linger on any outside of his immediate circle.

 

“Alright!” Emily’s voice echoed over the crowd and a hushed silence fell save for a few laughs and mumbles, “Gather and distribute people! We’ve got the table set up outside with a bunch of heat lamps, but bundle up if you’re prone to being cold.”

 

Brady jerked Jeremy under his arm and jostled him forward as Maya watched everyone begin to crowd into the kitchen to grab a food dish to bring to the table. Becks hurried into Jacob's side and as she shot him a worried look. Jacob ran a reassuring hand down Beck's cheek and murmured reassurances that Maya couldn't hear. Paul sauntered over and scooped up her empty wine glass she’d left in the living room.

 

“Feeling good?” he asked with a grin. Maya let out a satisfied breath and smiled up at him.

 

“Yeah, really good. Feels like home,” she admitted easily. He nodded and kissed the top of her head before rubbing her lower back.

 

“Good, let’s go have some more fun,” his eyes were determined and Maya felt her stomach drop.

 

He had been working so hard to make her feel better and the swell of gratitude and love in her stomach pressed against her lower belly again, much as it did when he looked at her in the taco shop the other night with Seth and Sadie when Sadie had asked about kids. Maya absently fingered the promise ring on her right hand and pushed it around the base of her middle finger. Paul’s face crept into a slow awakened smile as if he could see what she was thinking when Maya herself couldn’t even collect her own thoughts long enough to know what she was thinking. Instead, she just allowed this warmth, what she could only recognize as their imprint anchored bond, fill her up.

 

Paul placed one warm hand on the line of her jaw, his thumb stroking the expanse of her soft cheek that was pricking with pink and leaned his face slowly toward hers. Maya’s heart accelerated, her hand coming to circle his wrist as if this was the first time she was being kissed like this when in reality, Paul had kissed her like this many times. But something about how she felt now, enveloped in this home with her family and Paul anchored easily to her side, made her see everything so much clearer than she had before she left for Columbia.

 

Just as Paul’s lips brushed the tips of hers, a gentle smile still playing at his lips, there was a soft knock behind them. Paul’s eyes pulled across Maya’s face, her eyes wanting and needy. He nudged his nose gently against hers before straightening and crossing the living room to the front door. Maya took a few steps to follow him, placing both of her hands in the back pockets of her tight black jeans and as Paul pulled the door open, the chill of the sea breeze sliced through the air and cut Maya to the bone. She was briefly reminded of the cold she felt in her dream last night, the sharp red eyes, the laughter turning into screams—but she shut her eyes quickly to shake away that image. When she looked back at Paul, his entire body had hardened in what she could only assume was defense and Maya automatically took a step closer to him.

 

“Well if it isn’t big ole Paul Lahote! I didn’t think you could get any bigger from the last time I saw you, but they sure do feed you boys out here pretty good,” a comforting laugh could be heard coming from the doorframe. Maya raised her eyebrows in confusion, unable to discern what could be the cause for Paul’s alarm at such a kind and warm voice, but she couldn’t see around his giant frame to get a good look at the visitor.

 

“When did you get back?” Paul said in a tone of forced interest.

 

“Ah well, it felt like it was time and I heard Jake made his way back too. Billy called,” he said. Strange. Maya thought. She didn’t recognize the voice that dripped with so much familiarity for her family which meant maybe he wasn’t from the rez. As if on cue, Chief Black clambered through the back door that led to the festivities that lay beyond it and bellowed a greeting.

 

“I thought I heard a deserter!” he said, clasping his hands together. Paul stepped away from the door revealing an older man in a grey shirt and tartan plaid long sleeve. His face was friendly, if worn, and his hair was a pleasing salt and pepper gray, tinging the same around the corners of his prominent mustache. Paul immediately closed the two steps toward Maya and pulled her away from the door, closer to the living room, slotting her into his side, almost trying to keep her from the new arrival’s field of view. Maya, still confused, looked up to Paul’s face to try and discern some silent explanation but none came.

 

“Charlie,” Chief Black confirmed as he wrapped the man in a warm hug and patted his back.

 

The man returned the hug and patted his back roughly in greeting.

 

“It’s good to be home, finally,” Charlie said as he glanced warmly toward Paul again.

 

“A lot has changed,” Chief Black pulled back and held Charlie at arms length, looking upon him with the love that only a very old friend could. “I’m sure you remember Paul.” Chief Black gestured to him.

 

“Oh yes,” Charlie said with a glint of mischievous recognition in his eye, “Caused enough trouble back then to make his face known to us all at the station,” he joked. Chief Black let out a barking laugh.

 

“This is his partner Maya Sunriviere,” Chief Black said. Paul let Maya fold herself out of his side somewhat as she pushed toward the two older gentlemen, but he kept a firm grasp on her hip as if to yank her back behind him at any moment. What the fuck is going on? This old dude seems fine.

 

“Nice to meet you,” Maya said, clearing her throat and reaching out her hand. Charlie shook it genially and his eyes transformed into one of hopeful recognition.

 

“Well, it seems like Paul has gotten a taste of his own medicine,” Charlie gibed, “More trouble,” he said kindly to Maya who could only take it as a compliment at that point and let out a little laugh. Maya felt Paul's fingers tug at her hip to guide her back to him and she obliged, not wanting to stress him out further when she had no idea what was going on. Charlie gave them a once over and said almost dreamily, “Reminds me a bit of my Bells,” before turning to look at Chief Black who gave a conspiratorial laugh and pulled him under his arm to steer him toward the backyard.

 

“Let’s hope not,” he returned. Maya heard a deep growl coming from Paul’s throat as he kept them firmly planted in the living room.

 

“Paul,” Maya said gently, her hand patting his chest. His eyes were trained toward the two sauntering men as if they’d morph into ungodly creatures and turn and attack at any moment. “What’s going on?” she whispered.

 

Paul’s grip tightened again to almost a bruising degree and he shook his head before looking down at her. “Nothing,” he said as he began steering her after them toward the backyard. His shoulders had relaxed, but the grip he held on her was still tight and protective.

 

As they entered the backyard, the noise returned as the crash of voices rose and fell over one another. There were shouts of laughter, jokes, and general murmurings of discussion, but it quelled somewhat when Chief Black cried out, “Look who made it!”

 

The reception out here was much more welcoming than the one Paul had given Charlie inside. Sue Clearwater scurried around the table to wrap Charlie in a warm hug and Sam gave him a kind smile and shook his hand. Seth’s smile could be seen from space as Charlie gave a whoop of noise and yanked him into a tight hug. Everyone seemed pleased to see this mystery man which made Maya worry about why Paul was so defensive and hesitant earlier. Everyone gathered around Charlie as if he was a prodigal son returning, a long lost relative back from the dead—everyone except…

 


 

Jacob’s POV

 

 

This had to be a joke. Charlie fucking Swan was standing in front of Jacob Black with the widest grin he had ever seen. A knot formed squarely in the center of Jacob’s belly and when Becks’ hand coasted gently down the length of his arm, he tensed. Jacob glanced to his right where Becks stood next to him, her eyes washing over his in question: Who is that? What’s going on?

 

But Jacob couldn’t bring himself to answer those questions in her eyes right now. Becks had threaded her arm neatly around his massive one and clasped his hand in hers. The relief was immediate and he squeezed her hand tightly in his before glancing back over to Charlie. His past came roaring back to haunt him it seemed and he hadn’t had time to tell Becks everything yet.

 

No. He hadn’t had time to tell Becks about...her.

 

Jacob was acutely aware of the overwhelming dread he felt now that signaled his misstep. He’d had quite a few in their relationship so far—and he was no stranger to making mistakes based on emotion. Now, all he wanted was to keep her safe from all of this. To keep things uncomplicated between them as their relationship had slowly become recently. But with Charlie coming toward them now, only a few feet away, that thought evaporated. Nothing would ever be easy when it came to them.

 

“Jake,” Charlie said in warm recognition. Jacob tried to soften his expression into one of welcoming kindness. Next to him, he heard Becks’ breathing change, as she shifted away from him and let her hand fall from his as Charlie leaned in for a hug. Jacob wrapped his arms around him and slapped his back much like Charlie did to him. When he pulled back, Charlie kept his hands on his arms.

 

Jacob towered a good five inches above Charlie’s six foot frame, but it did nothing to the feeling of how small Jacob felt in Charlie’s eyes—dwarfed by their shared history together and tied to that one singular person: Bella.

 

“I swear, you get bigger every time I see you. How is that even possible?” Charlie chuckled and the genuine joy at seeing him was clear in his eyes. Jacob tried to relax, for Becks sake at the very least, but the uncertainty that hung in the air at Charlie’s presence was palpable.

 

“Well, you know what they say: the bigger the problems, the bigger the wolf,” he joked. Becks sucked in a sharp breath next to him, realization dawning on her quickly that this stranger knew about the pack.

 

“Do they say that?” Charlie joked giving him an amused smile and the two men broke into a light chuckle. “And who’s this?” Charlie turned his attention to Becks making the side of Jacob’s mouth twitch ever so slightly. Becks was in no real danger here, not with his brothers and him nearby and it wasn’t like Charlie was a remorseless bloodsucker, even if he was related to one. Jacob internally winced at his characterization of the people he used to consider his family. But things change. He didn’t need to take that out on Charlie anyway.

 

“This is—” Jake started, but Becks took a step toward Charlie and held out her hand, wide smiles and amber eyes glittering.

 

“Rebecca. My friends call me Becks, though,” she was unwavering, strong, sure footed and Jacob hooked his arm down around her back to anchor her to him hoping that her strength could rub off on him.

 

“Well, I sure hope we can call ourselves friends,” Charlie said, completely enamored as Becks gave a genuine bubbling laugh and replied,

 

“A man wearing that impressive of a mustache is bound to be a trustworthy friend.” Jacob cracked a smile and Charlie hooted with laughter.

 

“My girlfriend,” Jacob confirmed with a nod and Charlie nodded back in appreciation and —was that relief? Jacob gripped Becks a little tighter and she gave him a small smile, peering up at him as if the world began and ended with him. He knew that look, but now he knew he could trust it as long as it came from her.

 

“Charlie!” a call came out from behind them and Seth waved them over to the table, gathering to eat. Jacob leaned down to kiss Becks’ temple and murmured softly to her, “I’ll fill you in later.” She nodded, seemingly unperturbed and patient and he patted her hip gently before steering them toward the table together.

 

The rest of the dinner passed without much incident. Paul continued looking over at Jacob as if he was to blame for Charlie’s arrival, the firm line of his frown and accusing eyes made him internally groan. But it wasn’t his fault—he had no idea why Charlie had come back or if he was staying or for how long. And if he was back, did that mean—? No, definitely not. That would be too soon, they’d barely been gone a decade and people would remember them. No, Charlie must be back because he was tired of wherever they had settled and wanted his quiet Sundays fishing to himself. Jacob kept throwing glances at Paul who wouldn’t stop glaring every chance he got despite Maya elbowing him in the ribs a few times and telling him to quit it. Becks sat patiently beside him, chatting with Sadie and Jared as if no world alternating incident had occurred and for that Jacob was thankful. This woman was the definition of steadfast.

 

He never had to worry if she’d show up or get mad at him for his occasional mood swings. She was just always there, holding his hand, giving him that soft reassuring smile that let him know everything was going to be alright. She was the lungful of fresh air that filled him up after staying around creatures who didn’t even need to breathe for so long.

 

She gave him a home, a landing in which to keep his feet firmly planted where he didn’t feel like he was being pushed or pulled one way or another, or having to give chase. The least he could do was provide her with a physical home—and anything else she wanted for that matter. But Becks was patient and kind and kept him coming back for more with her sweet humor and level head.

 

When it came time to leave after the bonfire they had lit on the beach winded down and the cool evening air gave way to deep midnight, Jacob took Becks’ hand and said his goodbyes. He was happy to be home in a place he never thought he’d set eyes upon again.

 

Before they could make it back up to Sam and Emily’s backyard and back to his bike, Charlie intercepted him.

 

“Come by soon, yeah?” Charlie asked, “Becks, you’re more than welcome too. We can do some fish fry.”

 

“Yeah, soon,” Jacob said giving him that gentle smile and he patted his shoulder before weaving Becks around him who gave a kind goodbye.

 

The ride back to the garage was short, and when he and Becks climbed the stairs to the lofted, renovated bedroom suite above the garage, it didn’t take long for Becks to fit him with that knowing stare.

 

“I know, I know, just give me a second to….get it all together,” Jacob said guilty as he ran a hand over his face, the other stacked on his hip. Becks kicked off her shoes and nodded while hanging her coat.

 

“Charlie Swan, right?” Becks confirmed not looking at him as she moved toward the kitchenette to make herself some tea.

 

“That’s the one,” Jacob replied with a deep sigh, “For the record, I didn’t know he was going to be there tonight or that he was coming back.”

 

“I didn’t think so,” Becks said as she filled the teapot. Jacob shifted from one foot to the other, uncertain on how to proceed, where to begin. He flipped one corner of their bedsheets down and straightened a wolf figurine he’d carved and perched atop a lonely shelf by the bed. “You’re stalling, Jake.” Becks said as she grabbed a mug and dropped a teabag in. Jacob let out a knowing groan.

 

“It’s...complicated,” he breathed.

 

“More complicated than a weird baby pact that the council has with one another? Or more complicated than my ex-boyfriend showing up for pack dinner tonight and giving me such a wide berth that it was made clear that I am categorized alongside the plague to him?”

 

“Ah, yeah, I completely forgot Jeremy was there. Fades into the background yah know?” Jacob put his hand on the back of his neck and rubbed. Becks didn’t respond and he’d worried he had offended her. “He hasn’t been giving you any trouble lately has he?”

 

“Trouble?” Becks asked as she swiveled around with a steaming mug in her hand raising an eyebrow and trying to hold in a laugh that was apparent in her eyes.

 

“Yeah, has he been like calling you and stuff?” Jacob was not giving it his best here.

 

“No, Jake, he hasn’t. Anyway, spill,” she said, crossing her legs in front of her and leaning back against the countertop.

 

“Ah,” Jacob started, glancing at his feet and then back up at her, “Charlie is Bella Swan’s father. And Bella was the girl I was in love with for...a long time. It’s why I left,” he said already feeling the words coming out as stupid. Becks didn’t say anything, just watched him carefully and waited for him to go on. “I left with them because I thought I could never be happy anywhere where she wasn’t. Even after she turned into one of them, I...still couldn’t stop myself from chasing her. Hoping that she’d love me back. But then, after a few years of living with them, I realized that I was only this shell of myself. I’d lived without warmth for so long that I started to feel frozen. I knew I’d die there...if I stayed,” he said the last part in an exhale as he tried to decide if he should tell Becks what happened next or just skip to the sad, depressing bit.

 

“So, I left,” Just skip to the sad, depressing bit then. “And I lived on my own for another 4 years mostly in wolf form and I lost all sense of everything. Who I was, where I belonged, my home. It’s pathetic really,” Jacob said. Becks scoffed at that and her eyes hardened. He watched her carefully and took soft slow steps toward her, as he said, “I don’t know why I came back when I did, but I’m so glad it happened, Becks. And Charlie being here doesn’t change anything. I’m not leaving again. I won’t leave you,” He was in front of her now and she peered up at him around her mug, her eyes flooded with love and trust and not a hint of wariness. Her perfectly plucked mouth was just begging to be kissed and the corner of Jacob’s mouth quirked into a warm, brightening smile. He cupped the sides of her face, nearly swallowing her small face in his broad hands and let his pinkies touch the side of her neck, feeling the uptick of her pulse as he brought his face down toward hers. “I’m all yours.” He said with such finality that it felt like a door slamming, a key clicking in a lock.

 

Becks set her mug down and brought her hands to hold onto his wrists as she peered up at him, hovering her lips just above his. “And I’m all yours, too. But Jake,” she said, her eyes casting around his face, “There’s more that you’re not telling me. You don’t have a reaction like the one you did tonight with Paul staring daggers at you without there being something else. You don’t need to tell me now, but you do have to tell me.” Jacob smiled and had to stop himself.

 

“You know too much,” he admitted sweetly before letting his lips drift across hers lazily, feeling the sharp intake of breath she sucked in.

 

“You’re not as smooth as you think, Black,” she teased and that made him growl with unbridled joy as he let one hand slip down her back and yank her toward his chest so there was no space between them.

 

“Oh, I can be smooth. You want moves? I got moves,” he joked and Becks laughed, letting out quick shriek when he dipped to scoop her up, one arm under her butt as she wrapped her legs around his torso and he carried her toward the bed. He flopped her onto the bed and she bounced a little, laughing like a kid on Christmas morning. “You ready for smooth, honey?” And when she nodded enthusiastically, he grabbed her ankles and gave her quick tug down the bed. Kneeling in front of her, he unfastened her jeans and peeled them down her body, kissing along her inner thigh to her calf. Once removed, he pressed a rough, open mouthed kiss to her core through her panties and that gifted him with a delicious moan from that full lipped mouth of hers.

 

As he kissed up her hip bone, he pushed her shirt easily off of her and in one fluid motion, he unsnapped her bra and quickly pulled it from her body, leaving her completely bare to him save for the pink lace underwear. His jeans were now painfully tight as he felt himself harden and as he peppered alternating kisses and bites down her neck to her shoulder, he let out a low groan as his slipped one deft finger beneath her underwear to find her dripping with heat. As he crushed his lips on top of hers, feeling her soft, plump lips mesh perfectly against his, he let his finger tease from her clit to her opening in soft, even strokes. She began to pant, wrapping her arms around his neck to anchor herself to something and he smiled beneath their kiss.

 

When he wrenched his mouth away from hers and kissed down the length of her throat, he pushed her onto her back with his other hand, taking her pebbled nipple between his thumb and forefinger and rolling and pinching. His mouth landed on her other breast and nibbled and sucked until she was letting herself freely whimper into the softly lit room. “Did your boobs get bigger?” he joked and Becks let out a breathy laugh before smacking him on the shoulder. He finally slid his index finger into her wet opening as he flicked the pink pearl of her nipple with his tongue.

 

“Jake!” she gasped. “I need you.” He grinned, satisfied and left small pleasing bite marks around the soft flesh of her breast and down her stomach before removing his hand and taking her panties with it.

 

“I know honey. And I’m going to take care of it for you, you know that, right?” he murmured sweetly as he quickly removed his jeans and boxers, tossing aside his shirt after them. Becks bit her lower lip and nodded eagerly, spreading her legs for him so he could see the mess he already made of her. “So sweet, so good for me,” he said as he leaned down again to dip his head to her center and swipe his tongue along the slit. She let out a surprised cry, her hands kneading her breasts as he dipped his tongue expertly in her and then slid up through her slit, circling around the bead of her clit.

 

He sucked at her until she was begging for him again and then he stood up, pulling her legs up so her ankles rested on his shoulders and pressed into her fast and deep. They both groaned as they pressed together and Jacob shut his eyes tight at the wild feeling of love and desire and need that pulsed through him every time he entered her. She rolled her hips on him, begging him to move and with a sharp smile he began to slowly move in and out of her, watching her face melt into that blissful look of pure devotion.

 

As he picked up his pace, angling his hips to hit at her most well loved spots, he watched her tits bounce perfectly, as she used the back of her hand to cover her mouth every so often, and her cheeks reddened with heat. So fucking beautiful and all mine, he thought to himself. Jacob turned his face to kiss her ankle as he steadied her with a hand on her waist and slapped his hips harder against her. Becks’ cries were coming fast now and he leaned forward to angle her body more, stretching her wider for him. He felt her cinch him within her in response and knew she was close. Licking the tips of his fingers, he pressed it between them and rubbed fast needy circles on her sensitive nub. Becks’ eyes began to roll back and with a pleased exhale, and Jacob said, “You want me to fill you up, honey?”

 

That was all it took to make Becks explode, her walls fluttering and tensing around him as she reached her end. Jacob had now fully bent her legs so that they were almost parallel with her face as he pressed his mouth to hers, pumping wildly into her with obscene slapping noises and grunts that would no doubt pull jokes from his brothers if he’d ever rejoin the pack mind. With a few more jerks of his hips, Jacob spilled inside of her eliciting a pleased moan from Becks who kissed him like he just won her a prize. They panted into each other's mouths and after a few heady moments where Becks let her legs slide back down, he said, “See? I got moves.”

 

“You do,” Becks panted with an exhausted laugh, “Good job.” Jacob leaned his face into the crook of her neck and let out a few good huffs of laughter before settling into comfortable silence, not daring to untangle himself from her just yet.

 


 

“It’s gonna be fine,” Paul said as he leaned down to kiss the side of her head. Maya wasn’t so sure about that. She puffed her cheeks up with air and let out a dramatic huff as Paul chuckled next to her before leaning forward and ringing the doorbell to her parents house.

 

Paul had set it up and thought it would be a good first step to mending the broken pieces of her and her mother’s relationship. With only a couple days left before she was due back to New York and with the crushing onslaught of finals, this was her last chance before winter break to patch things up with her mom.

 

The door creaked open in its same welcoming groan that had punctuated Maya’s childhood and Paul gave her a hand a squeeze. Her parents opened the door together and Rish gave an ecstatic smile but worry was painted in her eyes.

 

“Tom,” Paul said brightly, holding out his hand. Maya’s father grinned widely, his eyes shining with hope as he shook Paul’s hand hard.

 

“Good to see you!” He said as his other arm wrapped gently around his wife’s shoulders. Maya was frozen to the spot, her eyes glued to her mother as if one misstep would set off a chain reaction in her. Paul glanced from Rish to Tom, the chill causing Maya’s neck to sprout in goosebumps. Paul’s hand automatically rose to cover the back of her neck, the warmth spreading through her.

 

“Oh! Come in, come in!” Tom said, pushing away from the door frame awkwardly and pulling Rish with him. Paul nodded and looked down at Maya but her eyes stayed forward.

 

“Yes, come in, we’ve got quite a chill rolling through, don’t we,” Rish said with a warble running through her voice. She was desperately trying to act as normal as possible, but Maya could tell she didn’t know what to do with her hands and she wrung them by her sides as if they punctuated each breathy word. Rish’s eyes darted from Paul to Maya to the floor then to every item in the front living room.

 

This is going to be so awkward. Maya thought to herself as she deflated into Paul’s side as they stood quietly in the front room. Paul tugged gently at the collar of her coat and she came to a bit to shrug it off her shoulders and into his waiting arms. He hung it by the door and Maya instinctively wrapped her arms around her midsection. Paul returned placed a warm hand on her hip. All of this had passed in terribly long silence and Maya internally cringed—okay maybe outwardly too. She tried to smooth the features on her face before her father brightened, as if remembering why they were all there and said,

 

“How about some drinks? Maya! You have to tell us about school. Your email updates are too short,” Tom swivelled and walked down the hallway that lead to the open kitchen and their dining room. Maya let out a huff of breath and followed quickly, Paul lingering to urge Rish down the hall with them with a gentle smile.

 

“I don’t have a lot of time to write full length journal entries about my day, dad. This school is kicking my ass,” Maya said as she entered the kitchen and leaned against the counter top as she watched her father pull down wine glasses from the cupboard. Her mother tutted at her curse and Maya glanced at her as if she was finally going to address her but Rish settled by the stove to check on the food. The kitchen smelled amazing, and she could tell right away that her mother was cooking her favorite—Three Sisters soup with fresh baked harvest bread.

 

“Grab the wine from the fridge,” her father said absently as he searched for the wine screw. Maya crossed the kitchen and pulled open the fridge door feeling like she was transported to just a year ago—before college, before the imprint, before Paul. When it was just her and her parents and her heart momentarily ached for that warm nostalgia. Paul was watching her carefully from his place next to Rish by the stove, murmuring quietly to her mother about the meal and how wonderful it smelled. Maya opened a drawer routinely and found the wine screw, making quick work of the cork. She handed the open bottle to her father who made a delighted sigh.

 

“It’s so good to have you home, My-pie,” he said, taking the wine bottle from her and kissing her forehead. He began pouring white wine into the glasses and started carrying on at Paul’s inquiry about his work. Maya watched her mother’s straight back as he bent over the simmering soup. Paul, next to her father now, handed Maya two glasses of the wine her father poured and nodded over his shoulder toward her mother. Maya rolled her eyes dramatically and walked over to her mother at the stove before saying in what she hoped was an even tone:

 

“Smells good, mom.” She held out the wine glass and watched the side of her mother’s face tick with stress. Maya let out a withered sigh and set the wine glass down on the counter taking a long drink from her own. “I saw Chief Black yesterday at Sam and Emily’s.” Her mother nodded as she lifted the wooden soup spoon to her mouth for a taste test. “He seemed in pretty high spirits all things considered. I assume that means the DeSota renovations are going well?” Maya offered. She only knew about the updates to the council projects because of her father, but she thought it would be an easy subject to broach with her mother.

 

“Grab some bowls,” her mother said quickly, turning away from her to grab more spices from the cupboard. Maya set her wine glass down a little too hard and drew Paul’s attention who glanced over at her with mounting worry while still talking to her father. Maya pulled some bowls down from a cupboard and clapped them onto the counter before digging in a drawer for some spoons. Her mother glanced at her, but the look on her face was unreadable and Maya felt a weight settle in her stomach like the one she felt upon arriving back in La Push. That same feeling of separation—she felt like she didn’t recognize her own mother at that moment.

 

Without any prompting, Maya shuffled toward the dining room and began setting the table. Behind her the kitchen began to bubble with more conversation as Rish turned to ask Paul how his business was going, making Maya’s irritation grow. This was going to be a long night.

 

By the time dinner was drawing to a close Maya’s hands hurt from clenching her fists so hard. Paul had begun worriedly rubbing the back of her neck with his broad hand every so often, sensing the tension between her and her mother mount as the dinner went on. Maya had tried, she really had. She tried making conversation with her mother, telling her parents about Columbia, talking about the extension progress on the house, on Jacob and Becks’ plans to build in the land he bought early next spring—everything. But to no avail. Anytime Maya tried to directly address Rish, she’d change the subject or keep eye contact with Paul. Maya didn’t understand and as the dinner dragged on, her father trying to uneasily keep the peace, Maya spoke louder and louder when her mother would cut her off to ask Paul for the hundredth time about his work for the Treever’s.

 

Paul was polite, as usual, and tried to keep Maya looped into the conversation with follow up questions and compliments to her ability to stay focused at school with everything going on back on the rez, but again, Rish would chuckle and compliment Paul instead, or get up to get water. It was torture. So, by the time Rish asked if anyone would like some tea, Maya had excused herself hastily, pushing back roughly from the table and jogging up the stairs to her old bedroom.

 

The sound of soft murmurings could be heard below but Maya paid them no mind as she ran her hands up her waist and neck to roughly comb through her hair. It took all of her self control not to scream.

 

Maya couldn’t understand what her mother was doing but it felt like punishment. She paced her bedroom feeling the warmth of frustration and anger creep up her throat. She wanted to tear the dark cranberry red sweater dress that clung to her shape from her body. Instead she tucked at the short turtle neck and crossed her bedroom to wrench open the window and let the rush of cool air wash over her.

 

“Babe,” Paul said from the doorway to her bedroom. Maya straightened and turned around taking deep breaths and shaking her head. Her patience was gone, she wanted to leave, and that deepening pain at the rift between her and her mother was going to tear her apart if she stayed here for any more torture tonight.

 

“Paul, I can’t. I don’t understand what she’s doing,” Maya sucked in a sharp breath, willing the tears to abate from the corner of her eyes. Paul’s face drew into a deep frown as he crossed the room to her, bringing his hands to either side of her face and running his thumbs over the course of her cheeks as a tear escaped. He kissed her forehead and said gruffly,

 

“She’s just hurt, Maya,” he whispered into her hair. Maya let out a frustrated laugh.

 

“Me too. But she’s the parent, can’t she just get over it so I don’t have to feel this way anymore?” As the words came out of her mouth she shut her eyes tight and cringed at how she sounded. God, she was 19 but she had never acted like such a kid. She was right to feel hurt and the way Rish was treating her might not be fair, but Maya hadn’t exactly extended any kind of olive branch for what she had said either. Paul watched her as Maya took some deep breaths and nodded at herself before looking up at him, still obviously frustrated.

 

“Try again,” he said softly. Maya focused her gaze on him and watched as the earnest look in his eyes melted into soft adoration, that playful smile breaking across his mouth and leaving her breathless again. Paul pulled her closer to him, tilting her face up to meet his lips and Maya let out a small moan. His kiss became hungrier at her sounds and he slid a hand down her body to wrap around her back and knead the thick flesh of her ass.

 

Another small sound escaped Maya and Paul pulled away momentarily to let his eyes dart around her face, “This dress drives me crazy by the way. I can see every fucking curve but it’s all covered by this tight little dress.” Maya smiled and Paul dove in for another taste of her pushing her flush with his body so she could feel his hard weight on her stomach. As he nibbled on her lower lip, he continued, “Go try again with your mom so I can take you home and rip this thing off of you.”

 

He let her grow roughly and Maya, thoroughly rocked, gave him a shocked grin. He raised an eyebrow and let that playful smile reach his eyes. With a quick swat to her ass, Maya rushed out of her childhood bedroom and down the hall toward the staircase taking a deep breath and shaking her hair out with her fingers.

 

Maya found her mother alone, wrapped in a shawl out on her back porch scrolling through her phone. Maya opened the door to the porch and slipped out, swathed in darkness. She could hear the ocean rushing nearby and the sweet smell of salt mixed with cold winter night made her crave the warmth of her and Paul’s bed.

 

“Mom?” Maya said after closing the sliding glass door behind her and crossing her arms over her chest. “We’re leaving. I wanted to come say goodbye.” Maya heard the tapping of Rish typing something on her phone but she didn’t say anything. “Mom.” Maya said a little more forcefully this time. “Are you going to say anything to me tonight? Or do I still not exist?”

 

Silence. Tapping. It was rattling her. Try again. She heard Paul’s voice in her head. Maya threw her head back and heaved a great sigh before saying, “Mom, I know I hurt you with what I said at the bonfire. Parts of it I meant—the stuff about my relationship with Paul not being any business of the council’s...But I didn’t mean what I said to you. I would never keep you away from my family. And I’m sorry that I hurt you.”

 

Rish had set down her phone during Maya’s speech and looked at her. “I never tried to push the kid thing.” Rish said unexpectedly. Maya scuffed her shoe on the patio.

 

“I know mom, but you were pushing us. This stuff with Paul is already complicated enough. I need you on my side,” Maya said, tears threatening to spill again.

 

“I am always on your side, Maya,” her mother said severely from her place in her chair. Maya stared at her through the dark, the only light coming from the glow of the kitchen. Rish’s face was hard, her eyes pained, “And I will always choose you over this council, over everything. I’m sorry if it felt like I was pushing you or not on your side, but I am. No matter what,” her voice cracked at the end of her sentence and Maya felt the hot tears fall freely down her cheeks now. Rish was standing now and crossed to Maya who was nodding quickly, trying to stifle the sobs rising in her throat, “I won’t ever push you like that again.”

 

Rish’s warm arms wrapped tightly around Maya and she sagged into her mother’s body, feeling the relief rush through her. Rish pet the back of her head and let her cry into her shoulder as Maya clung tightly to her mother, letting the anger and sadness she had felt these past few months to fall away as her mother held onto her tightly, “I’m so so sorry Maya,” her mother whispered into her hair and pressing kisses to the top of her head.

 

With only a few days to go before she was headed back to New York, Maya finally felt like she had come home.

 

Chapter 41: Never gonna get good at goodbyes

Chapter Text

Eleven months. It had been eleven whole months since the imprint. And when I think back about who I was just eleven months ago, I can’t help but not recognize parts of her. It’s not a bad thing, I don’t think. I should be changing—I’ve gone through so much this year. But this imprint could quite possibly be the best and worst thing that has ever happened to me. Whenever I slip my hand into Paul’s wide one, the panic that sometimes rises in me at the little things quiets. And when I look up at him and he gives me that soft, reassuring smile that sends my heart fluttering, lips parting as if I’m staring into a sunset, a part in me understands why this imprint is important and how lucky I actually got. So, every time I make myself say goodbye to him, it pulls at me a little bit deeper, and rips my heart in two just a little bit more. We were never good at goodbyes, but every time I leave it doesn’t get easier. He lets me go anyway though and that’s how I choose to define our imprint—letting each other leave and knowing we’ll always come back.

 




The front door banged open as Paul and Maya spilled through it. Paul was already tugging at the loose t-shirt Maya had tucked into her jeans to splay his hands across her waist and back as he shuffled her easily across the floor. Her hands were threaded through his hair arching her body toward him to feel his too hot heat against her. 

 

This had been the soundtrack of their past few days together—rushed and panting and hungry for one another. It was as if the impending flight that would take Maya back to New York had spiked the intensity of every kiss, every touch, every moment spent together. It was saturated with need and desperation for one last long kiss or thrust before succumbing to sleep. The imprint tightly threaded them together, but Maya and Paul sealed it with a strong, needy knot. 

 

Maya’s fingers frantically fumbled with the button on Paul’s jeans as he continued to move her back toward the kitchen. Maya successfully slipped out of her jeans and felt Paul’s hands move down to knead the flesh of her ass roughly. When she hit the hard edge of the wooden table, Paul lifted her quickly on top of it and Maya finally succeeded in undoing the button of his jeans as she tugged at them feverishly down his hips. His lips coasted down her jawline to her neck, nipping gently at the soft dip between her neck and shoulder. He pulled back to nearly rip her shirt up and over her head, unsnapping her bra and flinging it toward the living room. With a teasing smirk, he took her face in both of his broad hands and encased her mouth in another hot, heart wrenching kiss that made Maya’s head spin. 

 

Maya always felt like they were running out of time these days. She knew it wouldn’t last forever and that soon enough they would be together all of the time, but the pull within her was starting to grow deep and make everything else seem less urgent. It terrified her. 

 

“Lay back,” he said gruffly against her mouth. Maya obeyed, laying flat on her back on the kitchen table as Paul gripped her hips tightly between his hands. He pulled her forward sharply so that her ass hung partway off the table and then he dropped to his knees, draping her legs over his broad shoulders and pressing soft kisses to her inner thighs. Maya gasped and clenched at nothing in anticipation as warm heat spread between her legs. When Paul dipped his head hungrily between her thighs and pulled his tongue flat and soft up her slit, Maya couldn’t help but arch her back off the worn wooden table and cry out a moan as if she hadn’t been touched in years. That was the thing with Paul—and with this imprint, she assumed—every touch always felt new, intensified by their deepening bond. Her body thrilled at his touch alone and her brain scrambled in these moments of bliss with him. Still, as fevered and rushed as she felt, she knew Paul would take his time with her and that put her at peace to push off the thought of tomorrow just a little longer. 

 


Maya, Paul, Becks, and Jacob arrived at Becks’ gate that would take her back to Chicago roughly forty-five minutes before Maya’s plane was expected to board. 

 

“Okay, so text me when you land and call me when you get back to your dorm,” Jacob was mumbling against the top of Becks’ head as he enveloped her in a tight hug against him. Becks was holding on for dear life and pressing her face so hard into Jacob’s chest, Maya worried she couldn’t breathe. Becks took long and slow deep breaths as if she was fighting off the urge to vomit. 

 

Maya clenched her jaw and tightened her hold on Paul’s hand. If she thought their bond was intense, Becks and Jacob were taking it to a whole new level. Paul shifted the strap of Maya’s backpack on his shoulder and tugged her a bit closer to him. Jacob leaned down and was pressing firm kisses into the top of Becks’ head and whispering something to her that Maya couldn’t hear. She looked up at Paul, knowing he could hear every word, for insight but he kept his eyes forward and focused on the couple in front of him. 

 

“Three weeks. I’ll pick you up in three weeks,” Jacob said, his voice on the verge of breaking as he pulled Becks’ face away from his chest to hold it in his hands. He dipped down to bring himself eye level with her and Maya almost had to turn away from the absolute broken sob that escaped Becks as Jacob nearly crumbled. “Okay, okay,” he said gently, trying to reassure himself as much as Becks in this moment. 

 

“Final boarding call for flight 726, service to Chicago. Final boarding call,” The intercom buzzed at the gate. 

 

“Okay?” Jacob said again as Becks hiccuped and nodded quickly. Jacob swiped his broad thumbs across her cheeks to wipe away the tears that had fallen so quickly and he nodded. 

 

“Okay,” she said in barely a whisper. Jacob leaned forward to press a kiss to her forehead before shuffling Becks toward the gate. His grip was still tightly around her though, and as the attendant scanned Becks’ ticket, she turned to press her lips against his and a strangled sound escaped Jacob’s throat. She wrenched from his grasp and hurried down the jetway as Jacob automatically took a step forward as if to follow her.

 

The attendants closed the door and Becks was swallowed up by the tunnel beyond it. Jacob’s hands flew up to grip behind his head as he grit his teeth, stifling a snarl. Maya stepped in closer to Paul. He stared at the closed door for a long moment before turning, not quite meeting Paul or Maya’s eyes as he said roughly, 

 

“I’m gonna run back instead.” Paul gave a short nod as Jacob, his eyes wild, hurried past them back toward the terminal. 

 

“That was rough,” Maya said, exhaling sharply. Paul watched Jacob go quietly for a moment longer and once he disappeared within a throng of people he tugged at Maya’s hand and muttered a soft, 

 

“Let’s go.” 

 

They were never going to get good at goodbyes. Maya didn’t think they were meant to. In fact, everything within her was screaming to stay with Paul. She grimaced at the pleased-as-punch smile that she envisioned Chief Black would wear if he saw her now. They’d been right—their bond was essential, but she still wanted all of the things she’d plan for. Now it was about finding how to balance both. 

 

When they arrived at her gate, the attendants were just beginning to open the door to the jetway for boarding. Maya sucked in a deep breath and turned to look up at Paul with a smile. They could do this, they’d done it before. 

 

“Hey,” she said as Paul’s eyes flickered down to hers away from the opened gate door. “Three weeks.” He nodded stoically and his hands came to rest firmly on her ribcage. She could tell that he was trying his best to hold it together this time. A soft sadness must have crept over her face because when she raised her hand to cup his cheek, he leaned into it and let out a small sound that made her heart ache. “We’ve got this. Three weeks and I’ll be back for the holidays. And you need to finish that guest room extension, so you’ll have plenty to do. Yeah?” 

 

“Yeah,” he breathed out heavily, his eyes roaming her face slowly as if he was drinking her in for the first time. Maya gave him a small smile and his grip around her waist tightened. “Three weeks.” he replied solemnly. 

 

She nodded, “Just three weeks.”

 

As the attendants announced boarding for Maya’s flight, Paul’s eyes rose frantically above her head and he stepped in closer to her. She stifled a laugh and leaned up to kiss him. 

 

“Backpack.” she nodded softly to his shoulder. He reluctantly handed it over and as Maya slung it over her own shoulder she took a step back from him. “I love you,” she said easily, reassuringly, as she walked toward the door backward so she could keep her eyes on him as long as possible. Maya knew as soon as she was out of his sight, the ache would begin to pulse in earnest. 

 

“I love you.” He replied, standing very still, but Maya could see that his fists were clenched and he was trembling slightly. He’ll probably run home too, she thought sadly. With one last nod, Maya turned and headed quickly down the jetway after scanning her boarding pass, all the while whispering “Three weeks, three weeks, it’s just three weeks,” under her breath as the familiar knot wound in her belly, begging her to stay.




Maya found it easy to fall back into her routine once she had set foot on campus again, even with the dull ache pulsing in her belly. It was another late night, huddled in the Butler library with Noah and Beez a week and half after she had returned and Maya was trying her hardest not to let the impending pressure of finals eat her alive. Beez was mouthing formulas silently as K-pop blasted through her too big headphones. Noah was hunched over his textbook, scribbling and then erasing for the umpteenth time as he tried to work out a problem. Every now and then he’d glance up and look at Maya, giving her a small, tired smile which she sometimes returned and sometimes gazed absently over his shoulder. 

 

They had been at it for hours and Maya was determined to get a good chunk of her physics material reviewed before heading back to her dorm. Her phone had buzzed a few times with texts from her mom, Paul, and Keye but she had mostly ignored them as she tried to stay focused on studying. 

 

In her daily facetimes with Paul, he held that same tired, strained look on his face that reminded Maya that the imprint pull affected him more than her, but when he was talking about the extension, she noticed his tone was more animated than usual. This reassured Maya at the very least that a distraction was key to keeping Paul tethered to La Push while she was at school. The promise of him moving out east next semester still loomed and Maya hoped that he had forgotten all about it. She missed him more everyday, but this felt like something she was meant to do alone. 

 

As Maya worked through her physics outline and midnight came at went, she felt her eyes getting tired. Beez had slumped over her text and was drooling softly on the wooden library table and Noah was tapping himself in the forehead with his pencil to keep himself awake. A sharper buzz startled Maya and her eyes flitted to the screen of her phone. 

 

Incoming call: Becks 

 

It was almost 2 a.m., which meant it was nearly 1 a.m. where Becks was. Maya watched as her phone vibrated for a moment, almost in a trance as her best friend’s face smiled up at her. Just as she reached for the phone to swipe and answer, her phone darkened, missing the call, and Maya shook her head going back to her physics book. Why is Becks calling me in the middle of the night? She wondered tiredly to herself. But with her head swimming in formulas and machinations, there was little room to let the creeping worry seep in. 

 

It wasn’t until the next morning, when Maya rolled over and noticed the voicemail notification that Becks had left last night that she felt the worry sink into something deeper. Maya jolted upright in bed and slapped the phone to her ear to listen to the voicemail, her study haze having cleared and a new urgency swept through her: 

 

Hey My, it’s me. Listen, I was just wondering if…agh, how do you know if…. A longer pause this time. So much so that Maya thought maybe she had hung up and then: 

 

Remember when we went to Multnomah Falls in eighth grade and you said that it made you feel like a bird? Like you could fly right over the bridge and into the water? I….yeah I think about that a lot. Sigh. I just—this stuff with Jacob can get to be so much you know? And I know you know, because you and Paul have been through it, but everything that happens with them feels so….final, you know? Like…fate sealed. Or whatever… Anyway, I just wanted to see if you were up. Sorry for calling so late. You’re probably studying….I should probably be studying. Fuck…okay. Bye!

 

Maya pulled the phone back from her ear and stared at it. Becks had sounded…strange. Like she was dazed or possibly scared. Not in danger, but there was definitely a hesitance in her voice that made Maya think she was worried about something. Becks, cool and calm and collected Becks, never sounded so disjointed and nervous. 

 

Maya called her back but her phone rang twice and then went to voicemail. She tried a few more times with the same result and after typing out a hasty Call me back, I just got your voicemail text as she pulled on some sweats and an oversized hoodie, she called Paul. He answered quickly despite the early hour on his end. 

 

“My?”

 

“Hey, sorry did I wake you up?” 

 

“No baby, it’s fine. What time is it?” The second sentence was punctuated with a yawn and Maya suppressed a smile. 

 

“Early.” 

 

“Shit, I have to run rounds.” Maya could hear the shuffling of bedsheets as her eyes darted around her own darkened dorm room. 

 

“Have you heard from Jacob at all?”

 

“What?” 

 

“Jacob?”

 

“No. Should I?” More rustling, like the sound of a shirt coming over his head and muffling the phone receiver for a minute. 

 

“I just got a weird voicemail from Becks last night when I was at the library studying. It was super late and she was rambling. And now I can’t get a hold of her.” 

 

“Did she seem like she was in trouble?” Paul said, some of the grog clearing from his voice. Maya bit her lip. Did she sound like she was in trouble? 

 

“No, not really. Just… It was weird. She was talking about this old school trip we took to Multnomah Falls and how our fates seemed sealed, I don’t know, did Jacob say—” 

 

Maya heard the familiar sound of a door shutting on the other side of the line as Paul cut her off hastily, “My, I haven’t talked to Jacob. Not really. Not since the whole Charlie incident. I’m sure Becks is fine. Did you check with Keye?” 

 

“No,” Maya sighed softly and rubbed her forehead. 

 

“Okay, well see if she got any weird voicemails. I’m sure she’s fine. Listen babe, I got to go. Can I call you this afternoon?” 

 

“Yeah…yeah sure. Love you.”

 

“Love you.” He replied before the call ended. Maya sighed and flopped back onto her bed. For a moment she scrunched up her face in confusion replaying the content of the voicemail in her head. 

 

Everything that happens with them feels so….final, you know? Like…fate sealed. 

 

The words rolled around in Maya’s head. Was Becks feeling trapped much like Maya had when the imprint with Paul had first happened? She cringed at the warming sensation in her stomach then. It wasn’t that she wanted Becks to feel the way Maya had felt, but she had felt something close to relief—even reassured that another imprint had finally seemed to feel the way Maya had felt instead of hopelessly and easily in love. Even though Maya was all of those things with Paul now, it had taken her awhile to get there and she couldn’t help but feel like maybe that wasn’t the norm. 

 

And now Becks seemed to finally understand. Her best friend, the imprint of a rogue alpha, was feeling what Maya had felt. She swallowed again, trying to drown the warmth of recognition spreading through her. Finally, I’m not crazy. She felt understood. 

 

Maya brought her phone up over her head and navigated to a message thread between her and Keye and typed out: 

 

Hey, have you heard from Becks? 

 

Keye probably wasn’t even awake yet. Maya let her arms fall to either side of her body and stared up at the ceiling. That nagging warmth wouldn’t dissipate and she knew she’d have to distract herself more thoroughly if she was going to not obsessively check her phone all day, so she packed her things and headed out to the library. 

 

Around 2 p.m., Keye finally texted back. But to Maya’s disappointment, she hadn’t heard from Becks either. That nagging warmth in her belly was now shifting to full on worry. By late that evening, still huddled under the low lamplight of the library desk lamps, Maya hadn’t heard from anyone—not even Paul who said he would call. Something felt off, but Maya didn’t have the time or mental capacity to figure out what. She was too far away and finals loomed only days away. 

 

When Paul texted her in the late morning the next day to apologize for not calling her back, he reassured her everything was fine. He didn’t mention Jacob though. After Maya tried two more times to call Becks with no answer, she realized she had to put it aside. She was out here for one purpose and that was school. Jacob, nor Paul would let anything happen to Becks, and no one had raised the alarm that something was wrong, so she had no other choice but to go with it. 

 

So she did. 

 

The next week and half passed in a tired, frenzied blur of highlighted texts, crumpled notebook paper, and worn down number two pencils. As her professor announced the closing of her last final, Maya shuffled to the front of the room and handed in her exam that she had had just a few minutes extra to look over before time was up. She felt all in all that she had done well, but only time would tell. 

 

Out in the hall, someone grabbed her arm—Noah. He gave her that soft reassuring smile and Maya felt herself start to ascend out of the foggy finals induced haze she had been saturated in. Her first semester was over, she could breathe. 

 

“How did it go?” He asked as he nudged her down the hall, no doubt to lead her off campus toward their favorite watering hole to commiserate. 

 

“I think it went well,” Maya said with a hint of cheer in her voice. The realization that she would soon get to see Paul started to infiltrate her senses again and she pulled her phone out of her pocket skimming the last text he had sent her this morning before her last two finals:

 

Good luck, I love you and I’ll see you tonight. 

 

She typed out a quick: I love you. All finished! 

 

“What time are you out of here?” Noah said as he held the door open for Maya as they stumbled out onto the quad. 

 

“About 6 tonight. I need to be at JFK by 4:30, so just a few hours,” Maya buzzed with excitement. The atmosphere on campus was intoxicating. The giant exhale of relief from everyone around her could be felt on the cold breeze that zipped through campus. The cheerful chattering and smiles had returned as the pressure fell off of them. Finally. Maya thought for the second time in a week. 

 

“Just enough time for a drink then,” Noah said happily as they made their way toward their favorite bar just off campus. After they’d settled into their favorite booth, a few other friends joined them in celebration. Maya couldn’t help but tap her foot impatiently. She couldn’t wait to get home and see Paul. When she pulled out her phone, she took another sip of her beer. Noah laughed loudly to her left and casually draped his arm across the back of the booth, his hand hanging over her shoulder. 

 

Maya hardly noticed it though, scrolling through her texts and rereading a conversation her and Paul had a couple of days ago. Becks had never gotten back to her which still nagged at her and Keye was also heavy into finals so they were spread thin. Paul, though, had mentioned that he’d seen Jacob and that he seemed…upbeat. She reread the thread again for the tenth time to try and discern any new meaning from her woefully vague boyfriend as the sounds of the bar muffled around her: 

 

Maya: Upbeat? 

 

Paul: Yeah, upbeat. 

 

M: Upbeat how? Like about to break out into song or snagged the last cinnamon star at Clearwater Coffee? 

 

P: I didn’t know you liked Sue’s cinnamon stars. I’m more of a sweet bean roll kind of guy.

 

M: Paul. 

 

P: Upbeat like he just got good news. Maybe Charlie is skipping town again or he got a new part for his bike. I don’t know, My. We don’t share the link. 

M: Has he talked to Becks? 

 

P: Maybe. Embry said he took a call while on rounds the other night. Took them off their normal route just to get to it. 

 

M: Did Embry say what the call was about? 

 

P: Not really. It might have been Becks, but he didn’t say. 

 

M: Did he seem different after, though? 

 

P: I don’t know. We haven’t seen him in a few days. 

 

M: Wtf Paul. 

 

P: What? 

 

It had to have been Becks then, Maya concluded. Paul went on to say that he thought the stress of finals was getting to Maya and that she should let it go for now. Which had kind of pissed her off. Something wasn’t right, she knew it. What if he’s proposing?! Maya had a sudden fleeting thought. 

 

“Oh fuck,” she said under her breath, suddenly rousing from her text induced coma and realizing she was at a bar, surrounded by hundreds of newly relieved college students. She reached for the glass of beer in front of her Noah must have ordered for her and chugged it down to the delighted cheers of her table mates. Noah patted her shoulder and said, 

 

“Thatta girl!” he picked up his own glass and gulped down the remainder of his beer and rose from the table to get another round, hopping over Maya. 

 

That has to be it, she thought to herself. He’s gonna ask her to marry him. The pace of their relationship if he were to propose would outrage just about any normal person, but Maya knew in the world of imprints and the pack, this was just business as usual. Becks had said she was feeling like her fate was sealed. Did she feel trapped? Pressured? 

 

The urgency to get home again flooded through her. Maybe she could call Michael and see if he could get her on an earlier flight. But her plane was slated to leave in a few hours anyway. No, she could wait. It wasn’t like anyone was forthcoming with information anyway, even if they had it. 

 

Noah set another beer down in front of her and Maya drank from it quickly, her eyes on the clock. 




“This is me,” Maya said as she walked up to her gate, shifting her too heavy duffel bag over her shoulder and readjusting the straps of her backpack. Noah had insisted on coming with her to the airport even though his flight home wasn’t for another four hours. 

 

“Cool,” he said, shifting from one foot to the other a little nervously. Maya raised an eyebrow at him, but he launched into another subject before she could ask what was up: “So, how was your first official semester? You sure you’re going to come back for round two?” he joked. Maya gave a small laugh and nodded. 


“Yeah, I think I just might. It wasn’t all bad,” she said, her mind wandering back to late nights at the library or up with Beez, sifting through texts or peer reviewed articles until all hours of the night. She had felt challenged, but good. When she looked up, Noah was looking at her weird and a small smile reached his eyes. “What about you?” she offered. 

 

“Yeah, best year yet,” he nodded, looking toward the ground for a second and then back up at her. Maya nodded genially and the intercom overhead announced boarding. 

 

“Oh!” she said, turning as if to leave, happy to get out of whatever it was they were doing. 

 

“Wait!” Noah said. Maya turned back to him and tried to swallow the somewhat pained look on her face. She was ready to leave. Noah dug in his pocket for something and held out a small wrapped box for her. 

 

“Oh, Noah,” she said hesitantly. 

 

“Open it.” he insisted as she took it from his hands. It was small, not unlike a jewelry box and she really, really hoped Noah wasn’t that dumb. 

 

“I didn’t get you anything,” Maya said softly as she dropped her duffel bag and started to tear open the wrapping paper. 

 

“Ah,” he said noncommittally and shoving his hands deep in his pockets. Maya bit her lip and when she pulled away the wrapping paper, it revealed a plain white box. She glanced up at Noah suspiciously who had an easy smile on his face. 

 

She really, really, really hoped it wasn’t jewelry. What would she tell Paul? He almost detonated when he saw the gold bracelets from Jeremy and he already had said that Noah was into her. As she pulled back the top of the box, trying to swallow the nauseous feeling rising in her throat, she could just imagine Paul’s frown, the line that would form between his eyebrows, and the way he would silently shake as he tried to stay calm when he discovered whatever piece of jewelry Noah had stupidly gifted her in her bag. 

 

Emily had mentioned to her long ago that Paul was considered extremely hot-headed growing up, but that he had worked hard to get it under control, channel it even, but Maya still saw some of it there. It never scared her, even if he sometimes accidentally directed it at her, but she knew Paul was fiercely protective, prone to jealousy, and needed to be in control to ensure that his anger didn’t boil over. This would surely boil him over.

 

“Do you like it?” Noah asked. Maya’s eyes focused on the thick keyring that lay in the box. She pulled it out and held it up in front of her face. It was a thick metal circle, dotted with lights and when she pressed the inside, the whole thing lit up. “You’re always losing your key card or your mail key in your bag at night, so I thought this would be great for when you get back from all of our late night studying.” 

 

Maya’s smile reached her eyes now, “Noah, this is great. Thank you!” she said gently as she walked into his arms and gave him a hug. Thoughtful, he was being thoughtful. Maya almost felt stupid for assuming it was anything other than a friendly gift. Noah hugged her back and a small chuckle escaped him over her head. 

 

“It’s just a keyring,” he said. 

 

Maya pulled back and flashed the ring a couple more times before attaching it to her backpack. “It’s really nice of you. Thanks,” She confirmed warmly. 

 

Noah nodded as the overhead speaker announced final boarding calls. Maya’s eyes shot open wide and she snatched her duffel bag up turning toward the door. 

 

“Thanks Noah! See you next semester!” 

 

Noah raised a hand and gave a short wave, and Maya thought she saw what looked like small hope creep across his face before the door shut behind her. 

 





“Ready?” Paul said from behind her as his hands gripped her hips warmly. Maya, dressed in only Paul’s dark t-shirt and fuzzy socks, kept her eyes closed and nodded. He planted a soft kiss to her neck before straightening and reaching around her to open the door they had been standing in front of. 

 

“Open,” he said. Maya, hardly able to contain her excitement, gasped when she let her eyes settle on the room. Paul had finished the guest room extension as promised and Maya was nearly knocked over from the impressive room laid before her. The floors matched the rest of the house but the interior walls were a lighter, warmer wood and steepled in a wide A-frame that gave the room impressive height. A custom triangular window looked out over the wide woods that sloped down toward the beach and there were a few long, shallow steps leading up to the main platform of the room where the bed she had picked out earlier sat beneath the wide windows that flanked on either side. Even with the low light from the cloudy day, the room was swathed in light. 

 

“Paul! This is amazing!” she all but squealed. Paul patted her hip and let go of her as she bounded into the room. As she ascended the soft shallow steps toward the bed, small warm lights illuminated under the stairway. “This is nicer than our room!” she breathed and turned around to smile at him. 

 

“Oh come on,” he said, crossing his arms and leaning against the doorframe, his hard, broad chest on display. “It’s still smaller than our room. The windows just make it seem big.” 

 

Maya skipped into the room, circling the bed and gazing out of the wide ceiling to floor windows that flanked the bed. In the summer, you’d be able to see the tops of the sprawling forest, lush with ferns and fringe in the trees. And in the winter when it snowed, it would serve as a frosty, clean white backdrop to the warmth emanating from the room. 

 

“Can we go to Port Angeles and pick up some things to finish it off?” She asked, sitting on the edge of the bed. It was only blanketed by white linen sheets. Paul pushed himself off of the doorframe and slowly walked toward her. 

 

“We,” he said in that warm, gruff voice of his, “Can do anything you want, baby.” He gave her that sly, playful grin and came to stand in front of her before leaning down, trapping her between his wide biceps and forcing her to lay back and propped up on her elbows. Maya giggled as he nuzzled his scruff-covered chin against her neck. His t-shirt that she wore rode up high on her thighs just barely covering her and she gasped when she felt him nip at the soft spot where her neck met her shoulder. 

 

This moment was a sharp contrast to just an hour ago when Paul veered off the highway and abruptly parked them in a deserted dirt lot at a lookout point and pulled Maya over to his lap where he had expertly unfastened her jeans and plunged his hand beneath the thin silk of her underwear to cup her and drag his middle finger across her. She had already been aching and soaked for him and if she was being honest, the minute she had saw him in the airport baggage claim, her entire body felt like it had caught on fire. And when they had connected after Maya had launched herself into his arms, that aching pulse had started between her thighs. 

 

As if he had sensed it or maybe just felt that deep need pull in him too, he had pulled off to the deserted lookout point to satiate both of them. His mouth on hers was warm but almost frenzied. When he plunged his middle finger into her hot center, followed by his index finger, she whimpered in slight relief. He returned the sound with a deep groan that transformed into a tight growl as she drenched his palm and grinded against his hand. 

 

A fire began to bloom in her belly and as if on cue, Paul had broken their kiss and opened his eyes to look at her. She was barely eye level with him despite sitting in his lap due to their size difference, but she was still able to see that his pupils, blown dark and hungry, watched as she continued to pant and grind into his hand as he curled his fingers into her. His other hand cupped her cheek, his thumb stroking the soft expanse and over her lips. When he had pressed a particularly soft spot within her, she had keened, arching her back and grinding a little faster with soft huffs punctuating her quiet moans. 

 

Paul watched transfixed, drinking in this lusty, perfect moment between them, but when she felt she couldn’t take anymore and begged with his name, Maya saw his jaw twitch and that hungry, punch drunk look in his eye had transformed into something else that almost made her freeze. But before she could, he had quickly slipped his hand out and used both to rip the jeans from her body. Maya barely had time to register what had happened before he had lifted her onto his length and the sweet aching burn pressed through her as he sunk to his hilt. 

 

Now as Maya watched him hover her in the low light of the guest room, his fingers dancing across the soft line of her hips, she let a gentle smile take over her face as she cupped his cheek. He smiled back, that overwhelmingly sweet smile that let her know she was this man’s and he could ask her to do just about anything at this point and she’d say yes. He had her completely. He leaned his face into her hand before turning his head to kiss her palm. Her pulse ticked up and when he leaned forward to press a soft, careful kiss to her mouth, she felt her heart stammer. She could feel him smile against her lips as he took pleasure in the effect he had on her. Paul’s hand ghosted across the skin of her hips again and took the hem of his shirt she was wearing before pulling it off of her in one swift movement. Maya gasped and came back to rest on her elbows, setting herself on display for him—only him. 

 

This time, he looked across her face and down every line of her body in adoration. The hunger was still there but sat beneath this overwhelming look of covetous love. He lowered his face to gently kiss at her neck, the feeling was a whisper on her skin, one hand still gripping her waist. Paul took his time gliding his lips softly across the line of her collarbone, down her quickly rising chest and sucking one taut nipple into his mouth before releasing it too soon and moving down her belly. Here he paused, his warm breath cascading over her stomach and swirling in her belly button. Soon though, he continued his descent to her core and when she felt his hot breath across her bare lips, she whimpered. Paul brought his hands to press her thighs open wide, spreading her and watching as she glistened for him. Maya heard that deep groan run through his chest and her hips bucked upward automatically. He rested his forearm across her hips to hold her still and Maya couldn’t help but squirm against his hold. 

 

His other hand rested just above where her slit began and he let his thumb stroke soft circles to her swollen bud that started Maya moaning again. She tried to press her hips up to connect herself to his mouth as he breathed warmth over her but his hold was still tight on her. She whimpered longingly, bringing a hand to knead at her breast and pinch her nipple for some relief. The slick that dripped and dragged from her core down her ass and onto the bed was enough torture to get her begging outright again. How this man could undo her with one touch was beyond her. 

 

“Paul,” she breathed, “Please….please,” she panted. But Paul continued to gently circle her clit with his thumb with barely there pressure that was causing Maya’s mind to blind white. Her sweet moans turned into heady huffs and Maya heard herself beg more, promise just about anything if he would just—

 

That sweet ache rushed through her as she felt his mouth descend on her core with a hot, open mouth kiss. He sucked her hungrily into his mouth letting his tongue lick the expanse of her and the soothing vibration of his lips on her as he groaned sent Maya into orbit. She was getting there, feeling the warmth creep up toward her belly, making her face hot and flush with red. But just as she started to climb, he pulled back and the cool rush of air in his absence sliced through the sweet warmth and left an unbearable ache. 

 

“Paul!” she protested and wiggled her hips against his forearm but he pressed tighter and she groaned. 

 

He pressed his index finger into the line of her slit and dragged it up slowly before punctuating it with a sharp tap to her bud. Maya gave a soft “Ah!” and looked down at him. 

 

“Don’t cum yet,” he said gruffly. Maya leaned up on her elbows, her chest heaving and a light sheen of sweat covering her body. He was watching his finger drag and tap, drag and tap. 

 

“What?!” she breathed, completely lost in the pulsing pleasure erupting through her. She fell back onto the bed as he continued the agonizing drag, tap, drag, tap against her clit and fisted her hands into the sheet. “Paul,” she begged again, the whimper dragging out tears to the corners of her eyes. 

 

“Maya,” he chided, “Don’t. Cum.” she could feel his lips say the words against her core and she arched into the sound. “Listen to me, baby,” he said firmly. “Cum when I say. Only when I say.” The delicious, ache pulsed through her again and she focused on the sound of his voice. The fire started to bloom again in her belly and she wanted nothing more than to obey this request. The world around her faded and she could only hear him and her own heart beat and—

 

Drag, tap. Drag, tap. 

 

“Focus, Maya,” he said as he pressed a wet kiss to the inside of her thigh, torturously close to her core. “Not yet.” 

 

The stuttering moans that escaped Maya didn’t sound like her, but the blinding pleasure that swept through her could only be associated with that aching pull of the imprint. Everything that made her sway in favor of him. She wanted to listen, she really did, but when he dipped his tongue inside of her and pinched the swollen bundle of her nerves she exploded. 

 

She felt him suck and drink her down as she cried out letting that great big oh wash through her and ring her out. Maya was lost in the swaying beat of her pulse and when she felt Paul’s lips press down on hers suddenly she was surprised by the sweet taste of herself in his mouth. 

 

He took no time to line himself up and press her apart as he leaned up to look down at the complete mess he made of her and said, “That’s my girl.” Paul took his time sliding his hard length into her, watching as she made soft sounds and her gaze focused in and out. This was his to take. He pulled her thigh up and to the side so he could press deeper and he revelled in the sharp intake of breath she made and the whimper of pain and pleasure mixing as she squeezed around him, trying to take him all in. His hand pressed the wild mess of her hair back as he kissed her forehead covered in sweet sweat and whispered, “Good girl,” before groaning and starting to rock in and out of her, taking his time to chase his high and bring her with him. 






Maya plugged in the bedside lamp and stepped back to admire her handiwork. She straightened the thick, burnt orange quilt that was draped across the cream sunken armchair she had nestled into one of the corners of the room by the window with the clearest view line down to the beach. The soft, white woven rug balanced the dark warmth of the room and she smiled at the soft bulge of the bed that was layered with dark green and white sheets and quilted comforter that looked soft and welcoming. 

 

Once she was able to drag Paul away from bed and into Port Angeles, it had taken her almost no time to find pieces that would bring the room together. Paul had hauled everything inside and upstairs for her and had started on the dinner they were cooking for a few members of the pack that night. Jacob and Becks were planning on staying with Paul and Maya for a few days while their renovated loft above the garage was being insulated. 

 

Kim and Jared were bringing a tree that they could all set up and decorate together, and Seth and Sadie were bringing drinks and some extra decorations. Maya was so excited to see everyone but more than that, she was eager to get a good look at Becks. 

 

She had finally texted Maya back that afternoon and Paul had glanced at her worriedly as she read through the text over and over to confirm that she was fine, just busy with the end of finals and getting back to La Push and something with Jacob. 

 

“‘ Jacob’s been a little more intense than usual lately, so sorry I haven’t reached out sooner.’ Intense? What does that mean?” Maya had said on their drive to Port Angeles. Paul’s jaw tightened and he looked over at her briefly before back at the road. 

 

“Maybe she means protective?” Paul offered. 

 

“Sounds more possessive,” Maya said a deep frown forming as she read the message again. 

 

“I’m possessive,” Paul stated matter-of-factly. Maya rolled her eyes and looked over at him. 

 

“Yeah, I know. And it’s a pain in the ass,” she replied. 

 

“Can you blame me? Look at you,” he said with that soft look in his eye again. Maya let out a laugh that bordered on annoyance and went back to rereading the text. 

 

As she slipped on her camel suede skirt with her lined sheer black tights and a casual, sweetheart black long sleeve shirt, Maya couldn’t help the bubbling of anticipation inside of her. She bounded down the stairs after straightening a few items on the new bookshelf tucked into the guest room and came into the kitchen where Paul was stirring a creamy looking sauce. No sooner had he turned to bring the wooden spoon to her mouth for a taste did the door shake with a few good knocks and muffled laughter. Maya took a quick taste, her eyes going wide in delight and nodded enthusiastically before she skipped off toward the front door. 

 

Yanking it open, Kim, Jared, Seth, and Sadie gave a raucous cry of greeting and Maya felt like she was about to burst with happiness. 

 

Between hugs and kisses to the cheek and Seth and Jared hauling the tree into the living room and getting it fitted into the stand, Maya was glowing with appreciation. Sadie set the decorations down and Paul came out of the kitchen to hug his brothers and help shuffle the tree to Maya’s directed spot. Maya kept glancing back at the front door, and for a fleeting moment she thought Becks and Jacob might not show after all. Paul wrapped his arm around her and leaned down to kiss the top of her head before Jared shouted a hearty, “Let’s drink!”

 

It was about twenty more minutes before Jacob and Becks finally arrived. Becks was bundled against the mild cold as if she were living in the arctic and when Maya, pulling her into a hug gave her a curious look, Becks had just rolled her eyes and nodded toward Jacob. Maya nodded knowingly. 

 

“Intense,” she mouthed to Becks who nodded and looked over toward Jacob again. But instead of annoyance, Maya saw that soft look of adoration color her face and Jacob turned to give her a secret smile before leaning forward to kiss Becks and help her out of her coat. 

 

She seemed fine, Maya thought relieved. They were fine. No ring in sight and Maya tried to swallow the feeling of something unsaid rising in her throat. After they had eaten around the table and started decorating the tree, fully plied with alcohol now, things began to feel a little better. 

 

“And then!” Sadie said animatedly from her place on the couch, holding a glass of champagne in her hand as Seth placed another ornament on the tree next to Maya. Paul and Jacob were in the kitchen cleaning up and Jared had Kim tucked underneath him on the other end of the couch. Becks was sitting in low, tufted armchair with a blanket. 

 

“And then he said that there was no way I could possibly finish two essays in six hours,” Sadie giggled, “And still get at least a B. But what Seth didn’t know is that Mr. Ornez has a soft spot for me.” 

 

“Mr. HORN-ez more like,” Seth said rolling his eyes. “And to be fair, you didn’t finish both in six hours, you got an extension and I nearly burst a blood vessel watching you twirl your hair around your finger when you asked him if you could have an extra week.” 

 

Maya’s mouth hung open in a laugh and Kim raised a glass to toast her, “I mean, can you blame her?” Kim said. 

 

“Yes, I can!” Seth laughed, “She pulls the same on me all the time!” 

 

“Hey!” Sadie cried out. 

 

“Oh, ‘hey! Hey! I’m cute, don’t blame me!’ Sound about right?” he asked as he crossed over to the couch and leaned down toward her to plant a kiss on her. Sadie, all giggles, held his face to her and muttered it with kisses. 

 

“I’m so so sorry,” she teased, “That you have such a beautiful girlfriend who gets her way and causes you so much stress.” 

 

“I’m sure you are,” Seth said letting the barrage of kisses continue. 

 

“Oh, gross,” Jacob said as he sauntered out of the kitchen, Paul following. He beelined it to Becks and handed her a tall glass of water, “This is a party, not an orgy, Seth,” Jacob joked.

 

“What kind of orgies do you go to?” Jared asked nonchalantly. Becks let out a laugh and Jacob glanced down at the sound of it. 

 

“Better ones than you’ve ever been too, that’s for sure. I didn’t get locked down in my third period algebra class when In was 16, so I’ve lived a little more life than you sweet pea,” he said. 

 

Jared rolled his eyes, “Yeah, if you consider ice dick a suitable orgy, then you’ve got me pegged for sure.” 

 

“You’re into pegging?” Becks quipped and Jacob nearly fell off the side of the armchair he barked with laughter. 

 

“Jesus Christ, alright,” Paul said as he pulled Maya down into his lap in the armchair across from Jacob and Becks’. 

 

“Oh no, you’re making dad mad,” Seth said as he sank into the couch next to Sadie. 

 

“I didn’t realize this was a kink shaming household,” Kim muttered as she sipped her drink. Paul leaned his head back and groaned and Maya giggled, pressing a kiss onto his exposed throat. 

 

“What other surprise revelations do we have planned for tonight, huh?” Jared challenged, “My, did you win the award for smartest person at Columbia yet?” 

 

“Not yet,” Maya sighed, sinking into Paul’s chest as he let his hand rub against her waist, “It’s only a matter of time before they print my plaque though and hang it in the library though. ‘Girl who lives in the library and never sleeps award.’ But, I think I did pretty well on finals, so there’s hope for me yet.” Paul kissed her temple and she turned to give him a soft smile. 

 

“Anyone in your cohort get pregnant yet? I hear college is a hotbed for unprotected sex and accidents,” Jared took a swig of beer and Maya felt Paul’s grip tighten on her. Maya laughed and shook her head. 

 

“No way, we’re all a bunch of math nerds masquerading as cool New York students. I think the sexiest conversation we had all semester was if Dr. Tobin was having an affair with his T.A. Thomas. Turns out it’s just his nephew, so just good old fashioned nepotism.” Maya grabbed Paul’s beer and took a drink. 

 

“Boring,” Sadie sighed, “What about you Becks?! Any thrilling one night stands or secret student mafias at Northwestern?” 

 

Maya watched as Becks shifted uncomfortably in her seat and Jacob looked down at her. He was smiling though and something prickled on the back of Maya’s arm. 

 

“Jacob’s my longest running one-night stand at Northwestern, but who knows what the spring holds,” she joked. “But there definitely was a surprise this semester.” Her voice got a little quieter and Maya tried to lean up. Paul held onto her tightly though and she looked back at him for a second. 

 

“Oh? Did a professor get caught with a student in the elevator?” Sadie leaned forward, her eyes glassy and hopeful. 

 

“No, no,”  Becks chuckled, glancing down at her water glass and then making eye contact with Maya. She felt Paul’s grip tighten on her waist as her pulse increased. Here it comes. Maya thought. “Nothing like that.” 

 

Maya’s eyes darted from Becks to Jacob, but Jacob was still staring down at Becks, the smile on his face so sweet and warm. He held Becks’ hand and his thumb stroked across her wrist. 

 

“We, uh,” Becks cleared her throat and looked up at Jacob, “No, the uh biggest surprise this semester was I found out that I’m pregnant.” 

 

All of the air left Maya’s lungs in one great whoosh and the shouts of laughter, surprise, congratulations that swept around the room seemed to dim as Maya watched, her lips parted in surprise, as Becks began to shake with laughter, tears of joys coming to her eyes as Sadie and Kim descended upon her in a hug and Jacob laughed loud as Seth, then Jared clapped him on the back. 

 

“Are you serious?!” Sadie squealed. Kim’s eyes were brimming with tears now as she covered her smile with both hands. 

 

“Becks! This is incredible!! I just—” Kim was cut off by a sob that broke in her throat and Becks rose to hug her properly now. “This is so wonderful.” She said into Becks’ shoulder. 

 

Maya was frozen. She should get up, go to Becks, hug her, anything. But all that swirled in her head was the echoing moment: I’m pregnant. I’m pregnant. Pregnant. Pregnant. 

 

Oh god. Paul pressed his lips to her ear and whispered, “It’s okay. Take a deep breath.” 

 

Maya pushed off of Paul’s lap in one hurried step and when Becks pulled away from Kim, Maya wrapped her in a tight hug. 

 

“Oh!” Becks said startled and with a little laugh she said, “Thanks, My.”

 

“Congratulations,” Maya said in a strained voice. 

 

“Thank you,” Becks breathed a sigh of relief and when she pulled back to look at her, Maya fitted her face with a soft, encouraging smile. 

 

“So that’s why you didn’t call me back,” Maya choked out as a lone tear rushed down her cheek. Becks wiped it away and let out a wet laugh through her own tears. 

 

“Yeah, well, there was a lot going on,” she motioned to Jacob who was surrounded now. “He panicked when I told him and came to get me. It took everything I had to let him let me stay and finish finals before he brought me back to La Push.” 

 

Maya exhaled and nodded, her eyes glued to Becks’ face. She could tell she was happy, overwhelming so, but Becks was searching for something in Maya’s own face and she was afraid of what she might find there. Disappointment? Fear? Hesitance? Maya took a step back then as Jacob threaded an arm around her and planted a kiss to her forehead, still in conversation with Jared and Seth. Paul kept his face even, although he kept glancing worriedly at Maya. 

 

She could be happy for Becks. She could wait until she was in the dark of her own bedroom to let the reality of this revelation sink in. But she wouldn’t dampen anything, not here, not for Becks. So she pressed a kiss to Becks’ cheek and plastered on a big wide smile and nodded. She would be happy, she had to be. For Becks. For what this moment meant to her. 

 

“Wait, does Sam know!?” Kim interjected suddenly. 

 

If Sam knew, then the council knew. Maya could only imagine the renewed baby fever they would impress upon all of them at the news. Maya groaned outwardly and everyone broke into laughter. So much for a relaxing holiday. 

 

Chapter 42: Holidays in La Push

Chapter Text

I don’t even remember why we took the trip. But I do remember the sweet smell of rain lingering in the old bus that rambled down the curving roads toward Multnomah Falls. Becks was next to me scribbling down something in her red spiral bound notebook she always carried around with her. At 14, you always had too many thoughts or feelings in one day to contain in your head, and Becks the ever quiet, and sweet one needed a way to get it all out. So she carried that thing around with her starting all the way back in fourth grade. She probably had hundreds of those notebooks now. Sometimes she’d let me write down notes in them for her, or we’d play games. I’d stopped trying to peek over her shoulder to see what she was writing by the time we reached middle school—if Becks needed secrets, that was fine with me. We all need secrets sometimes. I do remember once the bus had stopped and Becks had shoved her red notebook into her book bag and slung it over her shoulder, we scurried up and around a wet, worn path. A light drizzle had started but it was hard to tell what might be rain and what might be the falls. As we came to the center of the bridge, I gripped the railing and held my body as far over the side as I could without losing my balance. Becks stayed back from the railing but watched me carefully, her eyes glancing between the Falls and me, worry lining her lips. I didn’t mean to make her nervous, but it all felt so wild and set my heart pounding in time with the falls. “I feel like a bird.” I remember saying, my voice coming out shaky. “What?!” Becks said, her worry growing. Behind us the teacher was shouting over the sound of the rushing water, trying to regale our class with facts, but we could barely hear her. “I could fly right through the mist and land on that rock, don’t you think?” I looked back over my shoulder at Becks but her eyes were wide in what I thought was fear at the time. I took a step higher on the railing just to feel the wetness hit my face more. “Wait!” Becks yelped, lunging forward and grabbing my arm. And I remember laughing as Becks held my arm so tight, but didn’t pull me down.

 




After the goodbyes around midnight, Maya had slipped out the back door and onto the porch to catch her breath, beer in hand and wrapped in one of Paul’s thick flannels he had left slung over the back of a kitchen chair. Paul had gone with Jacob to grab their overnight bags from Becks’ beat up Corolla (“I’m fixing up an old Land Rover Kyle Messina sold me, but she swears she won’t take it even when it’s finished,” Jacob had said, rolling his eyes affectionately). Becks had gone upstairs to use the bathroom and wash her face, so Maya was able to slip out without any awkward explanation.

 

Fog billowed from her mouth as she took deep breaths and tilted her head up toward the night sky, trying to blink back the tears from forming in the corner of her eyes. Maya gulped down icy air and paced back and forth on the deck for a minute in the darkness before plopping into the sunken swinging deck chair. She raised the beer bottle to her lips and took three quick glugs before staring down at her hands.

 

Maya couldn’t help but feel that sinking dread pull at her insides. But, what for? Becks seemed happy the whole night with no hesitance, no wavering sense of worry in her, but Maya’s mind kept going back to the voicemail Becks had left her. She had sounded scared—maybe not wholly scared but nervous—and Maya worried that that feeling was still there. Before Maya could get too lost in thought, she heard the soft click of the door opening and took another drink. Becks was wrapped in a thick sherpa blanket and wandered out onto the deck.

 

“Hey,” she said quietly. Maya watched her form carefully before letting her gaze rest beyond her down toward the ocean trying to let the rhythmic sound wash her with a sense of calm she did not currently possess.

 

Maya nodded her head in response after a minute and Becks took a deep breath turning her back toward her to look out toward the ocean. The silence settled between them and Maya felt like she should say something, anything, or else she’d start crying or laughing or both.

 

“I am happy for you, you know. Really,” Maya insisted.

 

“Yeah? Really seems like it,” Becks said with a solid edge in her voice before turning around to face her. There was no use keeping their voices low—the wolves would hear everything anyway.

 

Maya set her face in a hard line and clutched the neck of her beer bottle.

 

“My this is a good thing,” Becks breathed. “And we’re happy about it. Really happy. And I know the timing doesn’t seem great….” Becks looked down at her feet briefly before raising her eyes again, a new determination behind them that told Maya she’d put up a fight if she had to, “But I don’t care.”

 

Maya tried to keep her face smooth from the outward cringe threatening to darken her features. She swallowed hard once, and then again, trying to hold back the question that was threatening to tumble out. Sucking her bottom lip between her teeth, she bit down hard to try and keep quiet, but Becks’ eyes were on her now, earnest and wanting to know it was alright. And it was alright, but–

 

“What about Northwestern?” Maya blurted out. She could feel Becks tense immediately and the last wisp of calmness evaporated between them. Becks crossed her arms in front of her protectively and shook her head before steeling herself.

 

“I’m going to try and finish out the spring semester and then I’ll take a break,” She seemed so sure, like it was just so easy to do. Maya felt her hands form into small fists. “Jake isn’t thrilled about me going back but I think it’s important that I—,”

 

Maya scoffed unkindly and shook her head. This spiked anger in Becks’ eyes, and the intense flash made Maya shift a little in her chair.This was a Becks that Maya was not used to seeing. The only other time she had directed this much anger at her was when Maya had lost her Grandmother’s bracelet that she’d lent her to wear to their eighth grade spring formal.

 

“You know, My, your way isn’t the only way,” she snapped, taking a step toward her. “I’m allowed to veer from the path you have so perfectly laid out in your mind for me.”

 

Maya inhaled sharply, trying to swallow her own anger but it bubbled too close to the surface again. “You’re right,” Maya bit back, “You’re allowed to change course. I just didn’t think you were that desperate and would leave everything you’ve worked for behind to appease some asinine council expectation.”

 

“Unbelievable,” Becks’ mouth hung open in incredulous anger.

 

“What do you want me to say? You’ve known him for five months and been sleeping with him for two. This is fucking crazy, Becks,” the words spilled out of Maya’s mouth in one fast breath and the tears were threatening in earnest now. Becks held the blanket around her with iron fists and was slowly shaking her head, not looking in Maya’s direction.

 

“I want you to be happy—” she almost begged, her voice cracking now.

 

“I AM!” Maya shouted and then took a breath to steady herself, “I am. I said I was. I just…this just seems fast and you’re giving up what you’ve worked for for so long, Becks. I’m just scared…for you,” she tacked on.

 

Becks fitted her with a stare that Maya couldn’t quite decipher. The anger was there, but simmered quietly under the surface. Instead, Becks looked at her knowingly, as if she finally understood something.

 

“Right,” Becks said barely above a whisper. Maya waited for her to say more but the silence stretched between them and after a few minutes of Becks staring hard at Maya, her face screwed up in betrayal, she walked quietly toward the back door without another word. When the door clicked shut behind her, she could hear the muffled voices of Paul and Jacob starting just beyond.

 

Maya stared out across the dark expanse of the backyard as her breathing pulled in rough. In and out. But it wasn’t working and she felt the familiar burn and prickle of panic start to climb in her throat like bile.

 

Why did she do that? Why did she say it like that? She was scared for Becks but..calling her desperate?

 

Fuck.

 

Maya shot up out of her chair and took off down the back lawn, the panic pumping in earnest. She needed to even out her heartbeat, she needed to breathe deeper, she needed to not feel like things were changing too quickly.

 

Maya hadn’t realized where she was going until the painfully icy water soaked her socked feet. She walked along the beach edge aimlessly, first in the direction of the town lights and then veering off toward the dark thicket of forest. Her mind was racing and the hot pin pricks of pain poked at her throat making it harder and harder to breathe.

 

She felt herself go deeper into the forest, the sticks and moss and leaves clinging to her soaked and freezing feet. Maybe she had originally been heading for her parents house or even Keye’s, but instead she just wandered and stomped through the quiet, cold forest trying to just breathe.

 

She was so angry at herself, for making Becks feel like she shouldn’t be happy about this or that they were moving too fast. Who the hell was she? What killed her was that Maya knew for a fact that if the roles were reversed and she was the one to drop this bombshell, Becks would be by her side, supporting her, rather than doubting her decision and talking about timing.

 

“So stupid,” Maya gasped, her breathing coming in shallow as she buckled over and put her hands on her knees. “Stupid. Fuck.” She felt her knees go weak and braced herself against a tree trying to steady herself.

 

A sharp snap of a twig brought her head up suddenly as her eyes scanned the forest. Maya had never been particularly afraid of the dark or the forest or any part of the land she lived on, but as the cold wind whipped through the trees shuddering the leaves, Maya was reminded of the icy cold grip and red eyes from her dreams. Her eyes darted around the darkened forest, searching for movement, but it was still save for the waving of the branches. She still couldn’t breathe properly and stayed buckled over.

 

Another snap and rustle sounded near her and Maya squeezed her eyes shut. Shit. Paul might kill her if she got herself murdered accidentally. The panic kept Maya in place and she let her eyes drift listlessly around the forest. She realized how much of a target she had made herself for anything–complete prey and yet—

 

“Maya?” Quil came out from a thicket of trees, barefoot and bare-chested. Turns out, the only monsters in these woods were ones she knew. Maya gave a short nod and continued to take gasping breaths. Quil hurried over to her and grasped both of her forearms in his fire hot hands. He must have been running rounds. “Fuck, are you okay? Are you hurt?” Quil’s eyes flashed wild, his jaw clenched and when Maya shook her head no, he seemed to understand, “Sit down,” he helped lower her to the ground and Maya sat with her knees bent leaning back against the tree. Quil crouched next to her and pushed her head gently forward, “Between your knees. Take deep breaths. Listen to me? Okay?” Maya shifted forward and closed her eyes. “Hear the waves? Can you focus on that sound? Try to match your breathing to them. In and out.”

 

Maya tried to focus on the sound of Quil’s easy voice, that warm lilt that lent itself to so much humor in the pack. And then to the waves. All of the things she knew. Quil’s wide palm rested between her shoulder blades and she felt that seering familiar heat calming her heart. Maya felt her breath return and reached up to hold onto Quil’s forearm.

 

“You have panic attacks a lot?” He said quietly after a minute of Maya’s evened breathing.

 

“Not usually, no,” she said, her voice coming out hoarse.

 

“What happened?”

 

“Becks…” Maya swallowed thickly trying to remove the lump still in her throat, “Becks is pregnant.”

 

“Yeah, I heard,” Quil responded. Maya looked up to take in his face. “Jake told me.” He confirmed. Quil’s mouth tilted in hesitance, “It’s kind of crazy, right?” Maya let out a choked laugh before looking back down at the ground.

 

“I was such a dick,” she breathed. “I called her fucking desperate.”

 

“Jesus,” he said softly.

 

“I didn’t mean it. I just…” Maya cringed, “I’m so scared for her.”

 

“Because of Jake?”

 

“What? No,” Maya looked up at him and shook her head emphatically, “No, of course not. It’s just…”

 

“Ah,” Quil said, looking easily at her now. Maya looked confused, “That could have been you.”

 

She swallowed harder this time and the realization shattered her.

 

“She’ll forgive you,” Quil said warmly and Maya felt the tears threaten to spill. “Come on. I have a hunch that Paul has no fucking idea where you are and will go bezerk in roughly ten minutes if I don’t get you back,” he offered his hand and Maya took it gratefully as he swung her up onto her feet. “Here.” He bent down and Maya hopped up onto his back. Her feet were numb and she was thankful when he peeled off her drenched socks and tossed them on the forest floor, “I’ll come back for those. Maybe.” He grimaced and Maya laughed, laying her arms gently across his collarbone as he held under her knees and trudged off in the direction toward her and Paul’s house.

 

Quil kept conversation light on the walk back to Maya’s and she even found herself laughing at the absurd way he said, “Do you think the council will hold a seance and hypnotize all the imprints to get pregnant at the same time?”

 

Once they reached her house, Quil let her down and Maya turned to look at him when she reached her front door.

 

“Thanks, Quil,” she said softly. Quil gave her that gentle smile and nodded.

 

“Anytime. Just…take it one step at a time okay? They’re going to make it, and so are you.” He said before nodding and turning to jog toward the tree line.

 

Maya knew that. She was just…blindsided and felt like whatever implicit understanding her and Becks had temporarily shared had evaporated. She was once again alone in her feeling of the imprint being anything but easy for her and Paul. She looked down at her hand, hesitating over the doorknob for a second before she turned and pushed the door open quietly. The house was quiet and dark and Maya tiptoed her way upstairs and into her and Paul’s bedroom. When she pulled the bedroom door shut behind her with a soft click, she turned to see Paul leaning against the doorframe to their bathroom, brushing his teeth.

 

“You okay?” he said and Maya gave him a brief smile before saying,

 

“Yeah, fine,” she shimmied out of her skirt and tights and pulled on some sweats before walking toward the bathroom and squeezing past him through the doorway. He stopped her though with an arm around her waist and pulled her toward him. With his toothbrush still hanging out of the side of his mouth, he brought both of his hands to Maya’s cool cheeks and looked down at her in confusion. She looked up at him, her eyes round and wide and her hands hanging limply down at her side and realized she was too tired to explain anything right now. Paul tilted his head as he examined her face with that focused, concerned look and rubbed his thumb across her cheek.

 

“You have dirt on you,” he rubbed it away then brought his nose down to breathe in the scent of her hair, “Where were you?” His face was starting to morph into worry and Maya brought her hands to his wrists pulling them off of her face.

 

“I just went for a walk,” she said quietly as she walked over to the shower.

 

“In the woods? At midnight?” he said, continuing to brush his teeth while looking at her over his shoulder.

 

“I ran into Quil,” Maya twisted the knob and let the warm water cascade over her open palm.

 

“That explains the smell,” Paul said as he finished up. “Hey.” He was behind her now, his hands on her arms and rubbing softly up and down. Maya closed her eyes and leaned into his chest. “It’s going to be okay.”

 

“I know,” she breathed out, bringing her hand up to cup the side of his face as she watched the water rush down the drain. Maya fought to keep herself there again but luckily the panic was less this time in Paul’s arms. “I just wasn’t ready for things to move this fast. It’s fine though, she’s going to be fine.” Paul swayed her gently and kissed the top of her head. “Did you know?” Maya suddenly said.

 

“Only about two minutes before you did. Jacob told me in the kitchen. Can’t say I was too surprised though,” he said. Maya pulled out of his arms and started to undress. Paul watched her and when she turned around to face him she let out a deep breath.

 

“What do you mean you weren’t surprised?”  a hint of annoyance clear in her voice.

 

“They’ve been going at it like rabbits. And the way he talks about her, you’d think she was the fucking sun or something,” Paul tugged gently at Maya’s hair and she grimaced.

 

“Is there something wrong with us?” She looked up at him and his face fell back into incredulous confusion.

 

“What?” he said sharply.

 

“I feel like we’re just…so far behind everyone. Like, is it me holding us back?” Maya confessed. Paul’s face relaxed and he started to laugh. Maya’s eyes shot wide and she tried to cool the fire of quick anger that struck in her belly. “Paul!”

 

“Maya, if you’re jealous of Becks being pregnant, then I’d be happy to fix that for you,” he joked coming toward her, laughter still pouring out of him.

 

“Ugh, fuck off,” she groaned as she pushed against his chest with one hand and turned to hop in the shower.

 

“I could probably get it on the first try,” he continued and Maya threw her head under the water to try and drown him out. “You just let me know!”

 

“I’d like to see you try and get through my birth control,” Maya quipped.

 

“Is that a challenge?” He said, his voice receding.

 

“No, but you’ll probably take it as one anyway,” she retorted. She heard him laugh as he disappeared into the bedroom and Maya let the tension ease away from her as she washed the evening off.

 




The next morning, Maya drank her coffee quietly leaned up against the countertop. When Becks and Jacob descended, she waited warily.

 

“Morning,” Jacob said kindly with that lopsided grin as he came into the kitchen.

 

“Morning, there’s coffee… and tea,” she said as Becks entered.

 

“Thanks,” Becks replied sweetly. Maya tried to relax, and to not make it weird.

 

“Um,” she began. Great, good start. Totally comprehensible. Paul strode in yawning and gave her a fast kiss before pouring himself a cup of coffee. Maya tried to continue, “Uh, so Keye is coming by to grab us to go shopping for gifts in about 20 minutes,” Maya said with almost a question in her voice to Becks.

 

Becks sipped her tea slowly from her place at the table and then looked up at her and then at Jacob, uncertain.

 

“Oh, I don’t think I can go,” she finally said. Jacob was watching her and looked to Maya as if to back Becks up. Paul leaned against the counter next to Maya and raised an eyebrow.

 

“Why not? You guys aren’t going far, right?” Paul said. Maya was somewhat relieved that someone else asked the question instead of her.

 

“No, I don’t think so,” Maya replied.

 

“I don’t really feel comfortable with that right now, with everything being so new,” Jacob said cryptically as he placed his hand on Becks’ lower back. Maya cringed in confusion and annoyance.

 

“New? What are you—” Maya started, but Jacob looked at Paul and continued.

 

“You’ll understand when it’s Maya, but there’s no way she’s going anywhere without me right now.”

 

Paul just looked at Jacob with a placid look and then nodded curtly in understanding. Maya couldn’t help but bristle at that.

 

“She’s pregnant, she’s not dying,” Maya spit out sharply and then winced. Fuck. She needed to chill.

 

“We’re going over to Charlie’s for a fish fry this afternoon anyway, so I don’t think I’ll have time between that and my doctor’s appointment,” Becks smoothed over the tension and Maya promised herself that she would do better to be understanding. This was new, he wasn’t wrong, but she could still be disappointed.

 

“Right,” she responded with a lighter tone in her voice. Jacob wasn’t paying her any mind at this point. “Well, text me if you need me to pick up anything while we’re out then.” Maya set her mug down and excused herself out of the kitchen to go and change. She could feel Paul’s eyes on her the whole way and she tried to swallow that growing feeling in her stomach that felt a lot like loss.

 




“Remind me why we agreed to this again?” Jacob asked as he walked around Paul’s forerunner and pulled open the door, helping Becks down from the passenger seat.

 

He was nervous. Being back here was dredging up a lot of old feelings that he didn’t have time for right now. He felt like his sole job was to focus on Becks.

 

She had laughed at him when he had insisted she wear the big coat that went past her knees even though it wasn’t freezing. But still, she had obliged, letting him button her into it and top it with a fluffy hat. He would admit he was being a little over the top, but this was his family and he wanted to try and do everything right that he could after making so many mistakes. That meant making this pregnancy go as smoothly as possible for Becks. His list of to-dos had ramped up after that fateful phone call just over two weeks ago.

 

He remembered the way her voice had wavered, cracking with uncertainty and he had never felt farther away from his home in his life. She had called him from the campus infirmary, in the middle of the night, and no sooner had she spit out the words, “Jacob, I’m pregnant.” did his entire world shift into overdrive. He caught a redeye an hour later and hadn’t left her side since. Becks had been adamant about staying to finish her finals, but every moment they stayed, Jacob felt more and more exposed. He just wanted to bring her back to the safety of the reservation, fiercely protected by his brothers, where he knew no one would get to them.

 

But he had conceded when she told him he could wait outside her classes while she took her finals. They left the second her last final had ended and only then did Jacob breathe easier when he crossed the line into La Push. And only then did it feel like they could relax and celebrate a little. She had seemed pleased that she was pregnant, but he worried she wasn’t saying something.

 

And Maya certainly didn’t help. Paul had warned him that she might take it badly, and that he should tell her first just to ease her into it or let Becks tell her in private, but Jacob had laughed saying, “It’s a baby. Who’s not going to love their best friend having a baby?” Paul had just shaken his head and braced for the inevitable. He knew her well, Jacob would give him that.

 

“We agreed because he invited you and your dad. I recall him saying something like 'Just like old times.' You don’t deny the elderly their 'old times'," she giggled and Jacob smiled just at the sound. She was great at turning negatives into positives. “Speaking of your dad, have you told him yet?” Becks broached as they walked toward the front door of the Swan residence.

 

“Ah,” Jacob stalled and Becks groaned.

 

“Oh, Jacob.”

 

“It’s been busy! I had to spend a whole day in Seattle to get those permits approved for the house early so I can start building in January,” he bemoaned. Becks pulled the hat off of her head and raised her hand to ring the doorbell.

 

“Everyone can’t find out before him,” she said firmly. Jacob sighed and nodded.

 

“You’re right, we’ll tell him after lunch.”

 

“Or now,” Becks said as Charlie pulled the door open and gave a hearty “Hello!” She returned the intensity of his greeting and let him pull her into a hug as Jacob’s mouth hung open in silent shock.

 

She wanted him to tell his dad in front of Charlie? No fucking way. Because if Charlie knew then…Jacob swallowed hard, feeling that prickle to tug Becks back toward him and take her to a place where she’d be safe.

 

“Jake! C’mere!” Charlie said, pulling Jacob into a fierce hug as Becks walked into the house.

 

“Hey Charlie,” Jacob chuckled as he patted him on the back.

 

“How are you son, come in!” He pulled back to look at him and then guided him over the threshold. “Your dad and Sue are in the kitchen.”

 

Jacob helped Becks out of her coat and hung it on the coat hook by the door. His hand slid to her waist and pulled her closer, easing some of his worry.

 

The familiar smell of the home hit him first. That comforting warmth, a hint of sweet lilac with an edge of warm patchouli and cinnamon. Suddenly it felt like no time had passed at all and Jacob glanced at the staircase, half expecting Bella to stumble down them at any moment.

 

Charlie led them toward the living room and Becks sauntered ahead into the kitchen, all smiles, with Jacob trailing behind her listening for ghosts. Sue welcomed Becks in her motherly tone, pulling her into her arms for a soft hug and said,

 

“Oooh, so good to see you. I can’t wait to hear about how your finals went!” When she pulled back, she let both of her hands rest of Becks’ cheeks and took in her rosier than usual complexion. Sue’s eyes twinkled with something and Becks gave a small smile before nodding and making her way to Billy who hugged her with that deep, warming chuckle.

 

“It’s so good to see you, honey,” he kissed her cheek and looked over her shoulder at Jacob, brimming with happiness that his son looked so content in this moment, “Lucky!” he said and Becks laughed before coming to the stove and peeking at the sizzling oil in the frying pan.

 

The afternoon was easy and Becks found herself laughing and joking with Charlie like an old friend. As they sat in the living room, plates on their laps and tucking into the fish fry, Becks let herself recline into the warmth of the house and the overwhelming feeling of family.

 

Becks’ parents had been around but not really accessible. As an only child, like Maya, she thought that her parents would be a little more invested in her wellbeing, but they were preoccupied with their careers, their friends, and their interests. So Becks never felt a bond like the family she got to experience with Jake. Maybe that was why it was so easy for her to accept the trajectory of her life now. Anything was better than being ignored. But still, there was something comforting about this old house and when Becks excused herself to use the restroom, Charlie pointed over her shoulder toward the staircase,

 

“One bathroom, sorry, it’s just at the top of the stairs. Can’t miss it.” Becks felt Jacob’s eyes follow her toward the staircase and she couldn’t quite shake the undeniable stress that he held in his shoulders, in the line of his jaw, right around the edge of his eyes even once they had arrived here. What was it about this house? Sure, it once belonged to the girl he had loved, or thought he had loved, Becks wasn’t sure which descriptor fit best, but that was so long ago now and he’d told her that the memories in this house were mostly good ones.

 

Becks climbed the stairs and let her eyes wander along the framed photos that ascended along the staircase. Photos captured the girl called Bella at nearly every age and Becks let her mouth quirk into a quick smile at the one of her and Jake as kids making mud pies.

 

She easily found the tiny bathroom and after washing her hands, she walked back into the hallway. The door to her right creaked open slightly, grabbing her attention and Becks could see a room beyond it. Curiosity getting the best of her, she gently pushed the door open as it whined loudly on its hinges, clearly not having been opened for a while. The room was clean, if a little dusty and Becks let her eyes fall around the room, settling on the odds and ends that defined a person’s space. She ran her hand over the dusty stack of CD’s that littered the small desk by the window, and admired the purple bedding with flowers. As her eyes coasted up the bed, she noticed a handwoven dream catcher attached to a post at the center of the headboard, cobwebs lingering between the carefully woven thread.

 

Becks crossed the room and leaned over to inspect it closer, her hands gently fingering the delicate threading and worn, soft wood that was expertly woven together. Familiar. She thought.

 

A sharp groan of wood sounded behind her back toward the doorway and Becks straightened quickly to whirl around. Jacob was standing there, his eyes first on Becks, curiously, and then they coasted around the room, taking it in as quickly as possible.

 

“You okay?” he said, his voice a little hoarse.

 

“Mmhhmm,” Becks nodded quickly, tucking both of her hands behind her back. She didn’t know why, but she felt just like a child who’d got her hand caught in the cookie jar. “Is this—?” she faltered and gestured around the room uselessly.

 

“Yeah,” Jacob breathed. It was clear he was only up for monosyllabic words at the moment. Becks did another turn about the room. It looked exactly like that of a teenage girl’s, not too unlike her old room back at her parent’s house. While they hadn’t officially moved in together yet, she was sure she wasn’t going back any time soon now that she was pregnant. She hadn’t even told her parents yet, but at this moment, Becks felt like they had bigger things to worry about.

 

“Can we go?” Jacob said in earnest now. Becks turned back to look at him and saw that his face was pained, uneasy with her being here or simply standing in this room.

 

“Sure,” she said softly, walking over to him. He extended his arms as she got closer and she let him fold her into his chest.

 

“I’m ready to take you home,” he said softly against the top of her head. She could still feel the tight coil of muscles hunching his shoulders. As she leaned back to peer up at him, she nodded:

 

“Okay, did you tell Billy yet?” Jacob groaned at this and Becks smiled from ear to ear. “Come on then,” she nudged his chest and he turned, grabbing her hand to guide her back down the stairs.

 

“He’s just going to be so happy,” Jake bemoaned. Becks giggled and when they rounded the corner back downstairs into the living room, she didn’t hesitate,

 

“Hey, everyone, we have some news.” She was getting good at this. And what was more, the butterflies that circled in her stomach as Jacob squeezed her hand and gave her the most overwhelmingly warm smile was her favorite part. He was so excited.

 

“Becks is pregnant,” Jacob said looking back at his father with a pleased grin. Sue shot up out of her chair and chirped with excitement. Charlie gave a hearty, “Oh, ho!” and Billy…

 

Billy stayed seated for a moment, tears gathering in his eyes as he looked upon Jacob with pride and so much love.

 

“You sure don’t waste any time do you son?” Charlie said laughing from the couch. Sue had made her way to Becks and had pulled her into a tight hug, tears rolling down her cheeks in earnest.

 

Billy picked himself up from the armchair and made his way to Jacob, grabbing his forearm and shaking his arm heartily before pulling him into a tight hug. When they released one another, Billy was trying to quell the tears that were threatening to spill.

 

“A baby,” he choked out, happiness pulling at his voice. Becks nodded and Billy grabbed her to pull her into a hug with Jacob.

 

“I told you he would be too happy,” Jacob quipped. Becks pinched his side and Billy started to laugh amidst his tears. They would take this happiness any day and make it the foundation for everything if they could.

 

“A baby,” Billy kept whispering over and over again.

 




“Oh, fuck baby!” Paul panted as he gripped Maya’s hips and thrust into her quickly. Maya fisted the sheets, her face pressed into the side of the mattress as she belted out Paul’s name.

 

They’d tried to maximize their time together in their first week since Jacob and Becks had decided to stay a bit longer in the guest room. Even with the new insulation in the renovated apartment above the garage, Jacob wasn’t sold on it being good enough for Becks. When he had expressed this sentiment at dinner one night—Becks having thoroughly shot him down saying that the apartment was fine and they didn’t need to look for anything else in the meantime—Maya had jumped at the opportunity to invite them to stay.

 

So when Maya had returned from visiting her parents and Paul had finished a delivery in town early, they had about an hour to spare before the couple were due back from lunch at Becks’ parents. That’s how Maya had ended up with her face pressed down into the mattress and her hips high, spread wide for Paul as he took her roughly from behind. His hands pulled expertly on her hips as he sunk deeply into her with each heated thrust. Maya moaned loudly, feeling herself begin to pulse as the pleasure gushed in between her legs and she started to tighten around him. His guttural groans wracked through her and she felt herself crest just as he snaked his broad forearm across her chest and yanked her up so that her back pressed against his chest. His hand gripped lightly at the base of her throat and his fingers pressed her face to the side so he could encase her mouth in his. Paul’s rhythm got impossibly faster and she cried out into his mouth when he hit a particularly spongy part within her. Maya let her hand drift to rub circles on her clit as she arched her back, pressing the back of her head onto his shoulder as she felt her climax pull through her body in a rush of fire down her spine and spilling between her legs.

 

Paul gave two more solid, deep thrusts before spilling inside of her and letting out a low moan in her ear that made Maya grin from ear to ear. He held her to him, their sweat slick bodies molding against one another, as he caught his breath. When she tried to bend forward and dismount him though, he held her tightly in place and gave a soft, “Not yet,” and kissed her neck.

 

Maya leaned back against him, her chest rising and falling in time with his breath as she raised her hand to loop around the back of his head and stroke the hair at the nape of his neck. Warmth pulsed between her legs and she felt deliciously full.

 

Expelling a huff of air in a soft laugh, she jokily said, “You really are trying to get me pregnant aren’t you?” 

 

Paul chuckled softly and kissed her shoulder and neck, “Shut up,” he teased. “I’m just enjoying us…like this,” he said, letting his other hand coast down her chest and across her stomach before squeezing her hip.

 

“Mmmm,” Maya hummed skeptically and relished in the feeling of him running his hands over her warmly and kissing along her neck and shoulder. These moments after were some of Maya’s favorites and as she felt that flutter of pleasure ignite in her again at Paul’s touch. She parted her lips to say something, but downstairs, they heard the front door shut and Paul exhaled in equal parts resignation and irritation.








On Christmas Eve, Emily and Sam held a pack dinner and gift exchange as a way to celebrate everyone returning. It was also when Becks and Jacob decided they were going to announce to the rest of the pack that they were expecting. Maya twisted the ring on her middle finger nervously as she looked through the closet for the right thing to wear. Her high waisted dark jeans hugged each curve and she was debating between her oversized gold cashmere sweater or the classic red Christmas sweater. She’d braided her hair in one thick black french braid down her back because she couldn’t be bothered and embraced the casualness of the evening. Just as she reached for the golden cashmere sweater and tugged it over her head, she heard the bedroom door swing open:

 

“My? Baby, let’s go,” Paul urged as he finished a text and clicked off his phone’s screen.

 

“I'm ready,” Maya placated, tucking and folding the front of her sweater before donning some thick wool socks. “You think they’re all gonna freak?” she followed up as she walked past him toward the door. He gave her ass a quick swat and trailed behind her out and down the stairs.

 

“We’ll see,” he said noncommittally. Maya wasn’t wholly convinced. It was a strategic miracle that no one had found out yet outside of the small circle Becks and Jacob had already told. Paul had managed it by only pairing Seth and Jared, and Quil and Embry together on rounds, and he kept his usual lid on things to keep everyone else in the dark. 

 

When they came to the bottom of the stairs, Maya put on her boots and watched as Jacob buttoned Becks into her coat and topped a warm hat on her head. It was kind of sweet, but Maya just shook her head and hid her smile as she let Paul help her shrug into her coat and they headed out.

 





Emily and Sam’s house was bursting with laughter and noise when they arrived. The cold, crisp air set a stark contrast to the comfortable, warmth that the house emitted. When they entered, they were greeted in the same fashion—hoots and excited cheers as they were pulled into hugs, offered drinks, and food.

 

It wasn’t long before they all crowded into the living room—Becks sat on Jacob’s lap and Maya sat on the floor nestled between Paul’s legs. Sam’s son Luca was ferrying presents as part of the gift exchange and the living room was full to bursting with howling laughter at gag gifts or crooning awes at thoughtful ones. Jeremy stood off to the side, sipping a beer, his face still warm but noticeably brighter than when Maya last saw him. He raised his beer when Sadie opened her gift from him—a day planner with personalized matching pens—to which she cheered and bounded over to hug him tightly. Maya was given a thick braided bracelet that could come apart and unsheath a sharp three inch knife.

 

“I hear there’s a lot of creeps on the subway,” Embry offered and Maya rolled her eyes and thanked him with a laugh. Paul fidgeted with the bracelet around Maya’s wrist and made a comment about her needing to practice with it, but by that time, everyone’s attention was drawn elsewhere.

 

Once the gift exchange had drawn to a close and a new round of drinks were distributed, Maya glanced at Becks who was shifting uncomfortably on Jacob’s lap, her eyes uncertain and nervous as she tried to figure out the right time to announce their news. Maya opened her mouth to say something and grab everyone’s attention, but Jacob beat her to it, whistling and commanding the whole room in just a few seconds.

 

“Hey! Listen up,” he said as the pack quieted easily. Sam raised an eyebrow at them curiously and Becks took a deep breath. Jacob watched the side of her face and leaned in to whisper something in her ear that drew out a smile. The anticipation roiled through the room as Maya squeezed Paul’s thigh and he kissed her temple in response.

 

Becks glanced around the room and admitted in a nervous rush: “We’re…we’re having a baby.”

 

The room exploded into raucous laughter, cheers, and questions as a surge of bodies—wolves and imprints alike—surrounded Becks and Jacob. Maya laughed at the onslaught and leaned comfortably into Paul’s chest watching the madness unfold.

 

“Did you know?!” Collin turned to Keye and accused lightheartedly.

 

“Of course I fucking knew. She’s my best friend!” Keye shot back from her place off to the side. Emily was in tears and Sam was congratulating Jacob on being the only other member to start a family. The jumbling of conversation warmed Maya’s heart as she watched Becks’ face heat up in equal parts excitement and shyness as she was showered in love and excitement from the pack. 

 

A flickering of motion by the kitchen island caught Maya’s eye however and when she leaned to the side to peer around the large group, she noticed the back door clattered shut. Jeremy. Maya’s heart caught in her throat and she watched the back door for a while. She couldn’t even begin to imagine the amount of pain he must be in. But Jeremy’s pain went unnoticed and was lost to this moment. And for that, Maya ached.








On Christmas morning, Becks and Jacob left early for Billy’s. Maya and Paul stayed in bed and let the dreary mid-morning light filter in through the windows overhead enjoying the quiet. Paul’s naked frame was pressed up against Maya’s back as he clasped one of his hands in both of hers. Maya’s lips were pressed to the knuckles on his hand as she nuzzled it beneath her chin.

 

There were rarely these pockets of quiet between them lately. Maya always felt like they were up and running, or Paul was out on rounds or a delivery or in his workshop, and she was hopping from one house to the next: helping Keye pick out decor for her new apartment next semester, trying to get a moment alone with Becks and failing, visiting her parents, and then Emily, and Sadie, or running errands to keep the house stocked with food.

 

Usually, their time was divided—but this morning, the house sat quiet and the world outside hushed to a dull hum from the waves and wind in the trees. Paul lowered his lips to Maya’s head and kissed her hair softly with his eyes still closed. Maya sighed sleepily, not wanting this rare moment between them to end. Somewhere between that thought and lazily kissing Paul’s knuckles on the hand she cradled to her chest, they both fell back asleep.

 

When Maya woke next, the sun had glittered out gently behind the clouds indicating that it was late morning. She gave a hearty yawn and absently rotated her naked hips back against Paul’s body that was still neatly draped around hers in an attempt to stretch. She smiled when she felt him harden and grunt in recognition as he woke, his arm slotting down around her hips and pulling her more firmly against his groin.

 

In a pleased hum, Maya ground her hips back again to rouse him more, the heat already beginning to pool between her legs from his firm grip. Paul raised his head and ghosted his lips against her cheek to her neck, their unspoken conversation already beginning. Maya’s body never failed to respond to his sweet or rough or gentle touches. As she started to turn her body in an attempt to face him, Maya felt the arm that wound around her hips loosen as he brought his hand to grip the inside of her thigh and lift it, spreading her open. Her heart stammered in her chest and when she turned her head to meet his eyes, he slid into her from behind, her slick making it easy for him to press in as he stretched her.

 

She held his gaze as he slowly slid in and out of her, the adoration pouring from his eyes and into hers. Their slow, loving pace matched their morning and Maya let her eyes flutter close, letting out sweet sighs and small moans as Paul brought his other hand around to tug and pinch at her nipples. They took their time, relishing in each soft thrust and Maya rotated her hips back as Paul pressed forward, coaxing groans and sharp hisses from him.

 

“Paul,” she said barely above a whisper as she felt the soft tension build between her legs. She knew Paul could feel it too—the way she began to grip and milk him as her walls clenched.

 

“I know baby,” he groaned as she shuddered in release around him, pulling his climax quickly, “God, My,” he huffed in her ear as his length ticked inside of her, spreading his release and filling her. Maya glowed with warmth as she left her eyes closed, letting him pepper her with kisses and sweet ramblings of praise.








“Open this one next,” Maya said as she sifted through the pile of tissue and wrapping paper discarded in a heap around them. They sat on the floor in the living room beneath their tree and had been opening presents from one another between sips of coffee and bites of blueberry pancakes shared from the same plate.

 

Paul shook the narrow box as Maya sat with her legs tucked underneath her. He had given her too much, she concluded, looking around at the spread of clothes, a new book bag, purse, gold woven bracelet, and tablet before her. But this gift might even the playing field.

 

Paul gave her a sly smile as he pulled at the wrapping paper from the modest box. “What could this be?” he chuckled. Maya bit her lip as he opened the lid to reveal….a new pair of leather work gloves. He let out a huff of laughter and beamed at her like a kid on a Christmas morning, “Perfect! These are perfect, My.” he said gratefully as he leaned over to press a kiss to her lips.

 

“Good,” she sighed. “Try them on!” she egged him on, but it wasn’t necessary—he was already pulling them onto his broad hands, but his brow furrowed when he couldn’t quite tug on the left glove.

 

“What—” he began as he pulled a small box from the inside of the glove. He glanced up at Maya who was trying her hardest to keep tears from her eyes.

 

“Go on,” she breathed. Paul’s mouth turned up in his unmistakable smirk, the one that she knew meant trouble.

 

As he popped the small velvet box open, his eyes glittered with unshed tears. He nodded once.

 

“I thought it was only fair since you got me a ring,”  she offered quietly. Paul plucked the hand forged gold ring from the box and looked up at Maya.

 

“And what finger does this go on exactly?” he teased, holding it up and tilting his head with a smile.

 

“The only one that counts,” she replied gently.

 

“Just wanted to check,” he said, sliding it onto his left ring finger, “Didn’t want to assume.” He took a long moment to stare down at his hand.

 

“Do you like it?” she asked abruptly. Paul's gaze shot up to her and in one swift move he pulled her quickly into his arms and pressed his lips firmly on top of hers before she could even think. She melted into his kiss, his arms, his chest as an absolute pad of butter on perfectly browned toast. When he finally released her, she was drawn to the fierce look of determination in his eyes, which quickly smoothed into that soft look of love she always found there.

 

“I love it. And I love you, My,” he pressed his forehead to hers and she automatically brought her hand up to cup his cheek, “So much,” he choked out before taking a sharp breath.

 

“Good, because that took up my entire reserve of tutoring money that I earned throughout high school,” she muttered which pulled a wet laugh from Paul.

 

“Well, I guess that means you’ve well and truly earned this now,” he said cryptically. Maya leaned back to look at him but his face gave nothing away. He pulled them both to their feet and tugged Maya toward the front door.

 

“Paul,” she stammered in a confused voice. He helped her into her coat and leaned down to slot her feet into his work boots so he could shuffle her outside.

 

Maya stumbled out behind him, holding tightly to his hand and trying not to fall in his massive boots. When she looked up, in the driveway sat a matte black Jeep Wrangler.

 

“Surprise,” he said easily as Maya went wide eyed.

 

“Paul!” she gasped. “What the fuck! Is that supposed to be mine!?” Paul was laughing at her reaction and opened her palm to drop the keys in.

 

“Of course, whose else would it be?” There it was again, that too easy tone, that gentle way he took care of her that let her know there was no turning back—she wouldn’t want to anyway.

 

“This is….this is—” she tried to catch her breath, her hand placed over her heart as she looked from the Jeep and then up at him. “This is too—”

 

“Do not say it’s too much, because it’s not,” he said firmly, placing his thumb and forefinger under her chin and holding her there, “This is for you because you need it while you’re here and I wanted to get this for you…for us,” he held her gaze and she couldn’t even fathom disagreeing with him on it.

 

“This is too cool,” she amended, her eyes gleaming with joy. A smile broke over his face and he leaned down to kiss her which she returned with gratitude before pulling out of his arms and bounding toward the Jeep, squealing with excitement.

 

When she climbed into the driver’s seat and turned on the ignition, the headlights cast a dim glow over Paul in the moody, dark afternoon and Maya beamed as she watched him stand there, hands on his hips as he smiled back.

 

Chapter 43: Don't be late

Chapter Text

When you’re small and everything is new, it’s easy to feel fear about almost anything: the dark, the faucet dripping in the other room, howling winds, a scurry of feet, or the breaking of a twig. And then when you get older, your fear transforms into more socially acceptable things like bad grades, disappointing people, cheating, and lying. But then, if you’re very lucky, you find a protector and those acceptable fears become surmountable. And then new, worse fears are introduced like your best friend getting pregnant, your friends drifting apart, losing sight of what you were after in the first place, your partner keeping secrets, and the overwhelming pressure to be something you never considered in the first place. Those fears become seemingly insurmountable and then a new fear appears that is guaranteed to take your feet out from under you and you’ll be swept out into a sea of uncertainty. Great. 

 


 

Maya pulled the rest of the groceries out of the back of her Jeep and nudged the trunk door shut with her hip. It was a particularly cold January afternoon and only a few days before Maya was due back at Columbia. She balanced the bags of groceries in her arms and stumbled over the threshold of her home with relief. Dropping her keys in the bowl by the door with some effort, she let out a great sigh and kicked off her shoes before beginning to shuffle back toward the kitchen. Maya was halted however by the crescendo of voices upstairs. 

 

“I don’t want to talk about this anymore,” Maya could hear Becks’ voice filter down the stairs—she couldn’t help but lean against the banister, craning her neck to hear more as she clutched the grocery bags against her chest. 

 

“We’re not finished,” Jacob retorted quickly. 

 

“Jacob, please–”

 

“We’re. Not. Finished.” He said firmly, his voice ever so slightly raised.

 

“Stop, Jake. You’re not going to change my mind.” There was that stubbornness that Maya loved in Becks. It rarely ever flared up, Becks usually being the middle ground between Maya and Keye whenever they found themselves at odds, but when it did, it was withering. 

 

“It’s not safe, Becks! Why don’t you understand that?!” 

 

“Oh please,” Becks shot back, her voice piquing. 

 

“This is not just about us anymore. How am I supposed to keep you both safe and build the house and do everything I’m supposed to do here?” Jacob was getting heated now as if rehashing this part of the argument plagued him with immense anxiety. 

 

“There’s nothing needing protecting, Jacob. Nothing happened to me last semester, and nothing will happen this semester.” 

 

“No.” He said curtly. 

 

“No?” Becks gave an incredulous laugh. 

 

“You heard me: No.” Jacob said stubbornly. 

 

“Jesus, Jake,” Becks replied, tired. 

 

“I’m not comfortable with you leaving the rez, so no.” 

 

“Real mature.” 

 

“Becks—” 

 

“Jake!” she shouted now and Maya jumped at the sound. “I have to go back to school, I have to finish out this semester, I have to do this before I can’t anymore. Do you understand that?! That’s it!” 

 

There was a long pause and then, Jacob’s voice changed into a softer, begging tone. 

 

“Please Becks…stay with me.” 

 

Maya held her breath and clutched the grocery bags a bit tighter in anticipation. It felt like an eternity before Becks replied, her voice strained: 

 

“Jake…I have to go.” Following this, Maya heard the shuffling of feet and then the door to the guest bedroom slamming. She scurried into the kitchen and dropped the bags on the counter, hurrying to unload them as she heard the pounding of Jacob’s feet coming down the stairs. As he rounded the corner into the kitchen, storming past her, Maya turned, feigning a look of surprise as she said: 

 

“Hey, Jake…” But he didn’t pay her any mind as he opened the french double doors, pulling off his t-shirt and throwing it into the backyard as he bolted toward the tree line, the anger radiating and rippling off of him in visible shudders. An explosion of wood and branches outside of the open door indicated that he had phased and taken off in a hurry. 

 

Maya continued to unload the groceries, trying to keep her face neutral even as she heard the softer, measured steps of Becks coming down the stairs. An exaggerated exhale of breath alerted Maya and she turned to give her a soft smile. 

 

“Sorry,” Becks ran her hand through her shoulder-length messy black hair and gave Maya a truly apologetic look. Maya waved her off as she said, 

 

“I take it he’s not wanting you to finish the spring semester?” 

 

“You think?” Becks slumped into a chair at the kitchen table and looked longingly out the back door. Maya rolled her eyes and snorted. 

 

“What does he think is going to happen, exactly? You’re going to get kidnapped by a bunch of vampires who suddenly know who you are?” Becks didn’t respond and Maya pursed her lips before turning back to continue unloading the groceries. 

 

“I get why he wants me to stay. It’s easier to protect us here, his attention isn’t divided, and he can start his alpha duties, but—”

 

“Wait, Jacob’s going to be alpha?!” Maya interrupted, whipping around to stare at her wide-eyed. 

 

“That’s what he said,” Becks let out a great sigh and rubbed her forehead. She was starting to look a little pale. Maya crossed over to one of the cabinets and pulled out a glass to fill with water. When she set it down in front of her, she took a seat in the chair across from her. 

 

“Are you sure you’re doing okay?” Maya asked and then grimaced. She was trying to play it cool, as cool as she could manage anyway, but Becks looked tired, worn out, and like she was about to puke. 

 

“I’m fine,” she said after taking a hearty gulp of water. “He’ll be fine, I’ll be fine, I just need to make it through this semester and then we can relax a little.” Becks absently placed her hand over her stomach and Maya’s eyes flitted down to it quickly. Becks rubbed her hand across her abdomen for a half a second before meeting Maya’s eyes and letting her hand fall to her knee. 

 

“Becks, I—” Maya reached out across the table to take her hand, but a clattering of the front door and “My?” coming from the front door signaled Paul’s arrival. 

 

A few seconds later he came into the kitchen and Maya withdrew her hand. 

 

“Everything okay?” he asked curiously looking between the two women. Maya stood up from the table and walked back over to the remaining groceries with a quick “Yeah, fine.” 

 

“I’m gonna go lay down,” Becks said, her voice overtired as she picked up her water glass and headed toward the stairs. Paul gave her a small smile and nodded watching her go for a second before turning back toward Maya. Once Becks’ footsteps had receded and the sound of the guest bedroom door had gently closed, Paul came up behind Maya and put a hand on her lower back. 

 

“My?” He coaxed gently. Maya’s mouth was set in a firm line as she unpacked and shuffled items into their designated locations in the cabinets in front of her, “What happened?” Paul probed a little confused. Maya stopped suddenly and whirled around on him, hands on her hips: 

 

“Were you going to tell me about Jacob taking over as alpha?” Paul’s eyes searched her face carefully but Maya tried to keep her expression neutral. 

 

“Of course, babe, what—” Paul said tugging on her waist to pull her closer. Maya put her hand on his chest to steady herself as she felt heat rise to her face. 

 

“He’s not going to let her leave the rez, Paul,” Maya said breathlessly. She stared at his chest for a moment and then raised her eyes to look at his face, expecting that stern, measured look of his. But instead she was met with softness, and a sweet smile that always set her heart racing. Paul raised his wide hand to cup her cheek, allowing his thumb to stroke the expanse of her cheek a few times before he said, 

 

“If Becks is determined to go, there’s nothing he can do to make her stay. He knows that, he’s just stressed,” he paused to watch her eyes that no doubt matched in his softness now at his reassurance and then said, “You guys always forget that the imprint has more sway in this relationship than almost anything else. He won’t like it, but he’ll do what Becks asks.” Maya let out a huff of air and turned her head away from his hand and back at the groceries for a second. “You’re kind of cute when you’re flustered.” He mocked gently with a low laugh. 

 

Maya turned back at him and pinned him with an annoyed stare that made him laugh out loud. He looped his arm around her shoulder and tugged her into his chest, hugging her tightly before kissing the top of her head. 

 

“It’s gonna be okay, My,” he murmured against her head, swaying her back and forth slowly in his arms. Maya had her hands placed on the sides of his abdomen, her eyes trained toward the staircase where Becks had disappeared moments before. 

 




A crescendo of closed car doors sounded as the foursome piled out of Maya’s jeep and into the clearing of Sam and Emily’s. Maya shrugged further into her coat and when she looked over her shoulder back at Becks, Jacob was already by her side and taking her hand in his. She smiled at him tautly and Maya walked around the front of the Jeep, casually taking Paul’s hand as he tugged her toward the door behind him. 

 

Another farewell dinner, another impending goodbye. She sucked in a sharp breath to steady herself and quell the thrumming ache growing in her belly and buzzing up her spine, down her arm, and vibrating into Paul’s. He gave her a reassuring look as he opened the door and crossed the threshold, giving a loud “Party’s arrived!” to the already packed living room. Emily had insisted on another send off dinner for her, Becks, and Keye (who was currently wrapped up in Collin on the couch). But Maya was tired of goodbyes. Instead she saw this as an easy closing point for Jacob, and an obvious send off by his pack as well. Maya wondered if Emily had done this intentionally to show her support of Becks or if that was just a bonus. 

 

Whatever the motivation, she was glad to have Becks’ back who was still adamant about leaving tomorrow morning along with Maya. Jacob and Becks had tried to keep their arguments to a minimum after Jake had returned later that day, but Paul and Maya could clearly feel the tension between them. Maya was still worried that Jacob was going to force Becks to stay even though he gave no indication of it. Still, she didn’t trust a rogue wolf—she firmly believed no one should. 

 

Emily and Kim wrapped Becks in a hug and Kim held on a little bit longer, her eyes a fair bit misty. Maya raised an eyebrow at Keye who mouthed “Contact hormones” before rolling her eyes affectionately and bursting into giggles as Collin nuzzled into her neck. 

 

“Hi, Maya,” Emily said gently as she pulled her into her arms and gave her a warm, welcoming hug. 

 

“Hi,” Maya mumbled, still tucked in her coat and feeling warm. 

 

“Ready for next semester?” Emily asked as she pulled back and retied her apron strings around her waist. Maya pulled off her coat as Paul grabbed for it while in conversation with Sam and Jared. Maya crossed and then uncrossed her arms , giving her head a hearty nod. She noticed Becks out of the corner of her eye, head bent toward Kim, one hand on her stomach and talking animatedly. She swallowed hard and stuffed her hands in her back pockets, heading toward the kitchen. Emily shook a saute pan of rice as Maya hoisted herself up on the counter and picked at some bread in a basket next to her. 

 

“Are Jacob and Becks going to stay with you guys through the house building?” Emily asked nonchalantly, flitting from one task to the next. Maya glanced toward Becks fully now who was laughing, head thrown back, entirely too beautiful, her copper skin shimmering in the low light of the living room. Her heart ached for a moment that Becks hadn’t been able to share that joy with her. 

 

Stupid. Maya bemoaned to herself. And then to Emily, she said, 

 

“I think so. There’s not many places around the rez that meet Jacob’s standard of living for Becks at the moment.” She paused and looked down at her hands that gripped the counter too hard, “They’re welcome to stay as long as they like though.” 

 

“That’s good,” Emily said in a relieved breath, “And I know what you mean. The housing revival project isn’t going as smoothly as Billy hoped so there’s less appropriate housing than usual. I think Paul said something about pulling in outside contractors he knew?” Emily looked over her shoulder interestedly at her and Maya’s eyes went wide. 

 

“Did he?” she asked, completely out of the loop, “I wouldn’t know.” She replied a little exasperated. 

 

“Oh, right. You’re probably swamped with school, makes sense,” Emily waved off. Maya bristled and then told herself to calm down. She couldn’t know everything that was happening on the rez and maintain her life at Columbia. There was just no way, so she shouldn’t get herself upset. Still… 

 

“What am I doing?” Paul asked as he sauntered into the kitchen, gravitating toward Maya and gently pushing her legs apart to stand between them and plant a quick kiss to her lips. He let one hand rest on her thigh as he reached around her for some bread. His eyes watched her carefully as Maya leaned back on her hands and took him in with a skeptical look. 

 

“The uh, the project for the housing expansion on the rez,” Emily confirmed distractedly. Paul continued to stare at Maya, amused, a smug smile coming across his face. Maya smiled back, unable to help herself and shook her head at him. 

 

“That’s right, I am doing that. We should be getting quotes in a couple of weeks. But, I’ll talk down whatever price they bring to the table,” Paul rubbed Maya’s thigh with a firm touch and cocked his head to the side as if welcoming a challenge, an exchange. Maya shook her head and leaned forward, conceding to their silent conversation and letting her lips melt against his. He hummed his appreciation and slipped his hands up to grip her ribcage, making her gasp against his lips.  

 

When Maya pulled back with a grin, she asked, “You were going to tell me all about that, weren’t you?” 

 

“Of course, babe. On our way to the airport,” he said, still smug. She smacked his shoulder before pushing him back and hopping down off the counter to walk around him and help Emily who had become increasingly flustered in the kitchen. 

 

The night was easy and slow as the warmth emanated from the hot-bodied men who gathered around in the living room, poking fun and cracking jokes. Maya was squished into the couch next to Keye and Becks as they shared a bag of wasabi peas. Embry was squaring off against two of the younger packmates and they were playfully clashing into one another, trying to three wrestle each other to the ground. They’re bodies made frightening, heavy noises when they smashed into one another and Maya and Keye watched with wide eyes as Quil, Seth, and Jared laughed and goaded from the sidelines. Becks’ eyes were trained off toward the round kitchen table where Jacob, Sam, and Paul sat seemingly to talk earnestly, an absent hand over her stomach. 

 

Embry swiped his foot at one of his packmates' ankles, bringing him thudding to the ground as he jumped on top of him and pinned him to the floor. The other boy followed suit piling on top of Embry to the cheers and laughter of Jared and Seth. 

 

“Hey,” Maya nudged Becks’ shoulder with her own, catching her staring at the three serious leaders at the kitchen table. Becks shook her head and gave Maya a tight smile. “What are they talking about?” Maya asked, clearly having seen some sort of torn recognition in Becks’ face. Keye was glancing around Maya at Becks now, her face transforming into one of concern.  

 

“Me, probably,” Becks said, sounding almost resigned. She looked down at her hand on her stomach for a half a second and then met Maya’s eyes. 

 

“What, why?” Keye said, digging in the bag of wasabi peas and bringing a handful to her mouth. Maya continued to watch Becks carefully, her eyes flitting to the table every now and then. The men’s heads were seriously bent together, as Jacob shook his head looking stressed. 

 

“Because I’m going back to school tomorrow and Jacob doesn’t want me to. And the council doesn’t want me to. And the pack doesn’t want me to. And my parents don’t want me to,” Becks voice was beginning to crack. 

 

“The pack?” Maya said, her eyes skittering to glance quickly at Paul who was saying something to Jacob with a hard look in his eye. 

 

“Emily basically tried to mom-guilt me about staying for Jacob’s sake,” Becks said. Maya’s eyes went wide in a flash. 

 

“Why would she do that?” Maya breathed, shocked. Becks shook her head and stared back at the sparring boys in front of her in the living room. 

 

“Everyone thinks it’s a bad idea for me to go. So, maybe I should just—,” Becks began to concede. 

 

“No!” Keye and Maya nearly shouted in unison. Jacob, Sam, and Paul’s gaze shot up to stare at the women and Maya squirmed a little in annoyance under their gaze. She gave the most infinitesimal shake of her head at Paul and looked back to Becks who was staring, lips parted, almost pleading at Jacob. 

 

“Becks,” Maya said. “This is your decision. No one else’s. Okay?” She placed a hand on her arm and Becks shifted her gaze toward her. She eventually nodded, still unsure and Maya’s heart momentarily broke. They didn’t have too long to sit in that feeling though because Collin and Embry stumbled sideways, losing their balance and falling toward the girls on the couch. Keye yelled as Embry caught himself before he nearly crushed Maya. Collin stumbled and fell back against the girls though eliciting a sharp hiss from Becks and a “OW, FUCK!” from Maya. Becks curled her hand and arm protectively around her stomach as Keye shoved Collin as hard as she could in annoyance. 

 

“You fucking idiot!” Keye said as she tried to push him off. But suddenly, he was yanked with force from on top of them and thrown to the floor with a startling thud. Keye followed and jumped on top of Collin to hit him across his chest and shoulders as payback. Maya glanced at Becks and was opening her mouth to ask if she was okay, but Jacob was already there, kneeling in front of her and putting her face in his hands, a worried, strained look across his face. Becks winced as she sat up straight and Maya rubbed a sore spot on her ribcage where Collin had accidentally dug his elbow in when he fell. 

 

“Becks?” Maya broached as she saw her breathe in sharply. Jacob was simmering with rage as he looked over Becks’ body. Collin was laughing, completely unaware of the exchange unfolding as Keye continued to whale on him. The sound of his laughter seemed to crack something in Jacob though and he dropped his hands from Becks’ face, standing in one swift motion and pulling Collin up roughly on his feet, sening Keye flailing back onto the ground on her butt. 

 

It all happened so fast—one moment Collin was laughing on the floor and the next, Jacob had him slammed against the nearest wall, his forearm across his throat and pressing as he screamed, “ What the FUCK is your problem?! She’s fucking PREGNANT you idiot! Get your god damn head out of your ass or I’ll fucking rip you to shreds!” 

 

“Jake!” Maya reacted as Collin choked and coughed, his face beginning to turn purple from the pressure. Paul was behind Jacob now with Seth trying to wrench him off of Collin with little luck. 

 

“Jake chill! It was an accident!” Seth yelled trying to get Jacob’s attention. Sam was there now too trying to pull him off as well but Jacob’s head was gone. Becks sat stock still, in shock, her arm still wrapped around her, as she watched the man she loved completely switch to a side she’d never seen before. 

 

Jacob pounded his other hand into the wall next to Collin’s face as he continued to yell, but the words were getting lost and jumbled. Paul yanked with all his might and was able to relieve some pressure off of Collin’s neck. He took the reprieve and gasped for air heartily. Jacob was thrashing against Seth, Paul, and Sam’s hold now as he shouted, “Get off of me!” He looked as if he wanted to kill them. 

 

Maya didn’t know when she had gotten to her feet, but she found herself standing, fists clenched as she watched wide-eyed as Jacob lunged for Collin again, slipping from the men’s hold. He had to stop, he needed to stop. She looked over her shoulder at Becks who was hyperventilating, barely recognizing the man in front of her. Maya took two steps forward around the coffee table toward the scrambling men before she heard Paul shout, “Maya! Stay the fuck over there!” 

 

She halted, shook to her core by his desperate rage as he tried to wrestle Jacob off of Collin again who’s eyes were rolling the back of his head. 

 

“Get over here!” Sam shouted to the rest of the pack. Once Jared, Embry, Quil, and Brady joined, they were able to successfully pull Jacob off of Collin and wrestle him out the door and toward the treeline. The fresh air washed some of his anger and yanked free of their grasp in the cool night air, bringing his hands up to his head, looking frantic. 

 

“What the fuck, Jake,” Embry said, breathless. As if realizing suddenly what he’d done, he tried to beeline for the front door again as he muttered, “Becks…” 

 

Paul smashed against him, as the others crowded his back to block his way. “No. No way. Go cool off,” Paul said firmly pointing toward the treeline. Something broke in Jacob’s gaze as the reality of what he’d done dawned on him. With a frustrated growl he turned, ripping off his shirt as he bolted and disappeared into the treeline. 

 

Paul and the others watched the breeze scrape empty branches against each other, their chests heaving. 

 

Maya was frozen in place where Paul had told her to stay, her legs trembling as she watched Keye kneel in front of Collin who was rubbing his windpipe and still taking gulping breaths. Becks was surrounded by Emily, Kim, and Sadie. When Paul came through the door, Maya’s gaze shot to him immediately. He strode toward her, that same heated purpose that he usually wore on his face when he saw her. Her breath caught in her throat and when he cupped her face in his hands, looking over her face and body with a gentle scan she felt herself hold her breath. The sheer anger and visceral, feral rage that had permeated the room moments ago had left a damp feeling of sadness and shock. 

 

Maya couldn’t quite find her voice but Paul understood, kissing her forehead for a long moment before saying gently, “Do me a favor—please don’t ever try to get in between something like that ever again. Understand?” His voice grew gruff and ragged with emotion on that last word. 

 

Maya nodded her head quickly and he finally pulled her into a hug that she wanted to let herself be swallowed up by and disappear until next year. She’d have to settle for the next few minutes though because the urgent feeling to get Becks the hell out of here started to creep up the back of her neck. 

 

It took some convincing, but Maya was able to get Emily to agree to let her take Becks back home with her since they were leaving in the morning anyway. Maya worried that if she left Becks at Emily’s, she wouldn’t leave La Push at all. The terror in her eyes started to tell another story on the way back home though. Maya kept glancing at Becks in the rear view mirror as Paul glided them quietly back to the blue home tucked in the corner of the reservation. 

 

Becks was silent, her eyes watching the fluttering of the occasional street lamps run ominous shadows onto the slick streets. 

 

Maya followed Becks inside the house and as she poised to go up the stairs, she let out a small, “Becks? You okay?” 

 

Becks halted, her hand on the railing as she took some deep breaths to steady herself. In a shaky but assured voice, she replied, “I’m fine, My. I’ll see you in the morning.” With that, she ascended the stairs and Maya heard the soft click of the door to the guest room close. Paul was at her back, his hand resting on her hip as he leaned down and said softly against her temple, “I’m gonna give Sam a call. Go lay down and I’ll be up in a minute,” he kissed her temple and moved around her to head out the back door as he pulled out his phone. 

 

Maya stood frozen in the entryway twisting her hands around themselves as she watched him go. The physical anger that had roiled off of Jacob this evening had been frightening. She was sure Becks had never seen that side of him and for what? For one of his brothers accidentally falling on his pregnant girlfriend? It made no sense to Maya. Even if he was under such intense stress with the thought of Becks leaving, this reaction was too much. 

 

Where do they go from here? She knew that Paul had a history of troubled anger but had he ever lost it like that? Did all of the pack have that same potential to unleash that kind of rage or was it just Jacob? Was it just a perfect storm of tension, upset, and unsettled conflict that led to it? Maya felt her feet move underneath her as she floated up to her and Paul’s bedroom. The enormity of their abilities, their strength, and just how far they could go to protect not just their imprints but anyone was suddenly laid bare for Maya. They could kill. Suddenly, things felt so much bigger than they had before. As she undressed and pulled on some loose sleep shorts and one of Paul’s shirts, she thought back to that night she had left the reservation to go the warehouse party with Sadie, Becks, and Keye. She remembered how Paul had showed up at just the right time to wrench that guy off of her and had beaten him within an inch of his life. He might have killed him if Seth hadn’t been there. 

 

Did that make him a monster? Should she fear that strength? That ability to kill even if it would never be directed at her? Were they all a short fuse waiting to be lit? And what felt worse was that if they were these dangerous creatures simmering just under the surface, she understood that nothing could take her away from them. She loved Paul, unwaveringly so. And seeing this side of Jacob tonight meant that Becks, despite any fear or trepidation, loved him still. 

 

When Paul quietly opened the door to their room and changed into some simple sweats before climbing into bed next to her, she turned toward him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pulling him forward to her lips. He held her tightly against him, his hands squeezing her waist as her hips pitched forward to meet his. Maya heard the low growl sound in his throat signaling the hardening need between them and she knew she’d give him everything. Anything this man wanted her to give, she would try to give it to him—love, friendship, trust, babies, comfort, anything. Everything in her responded to everything he communicated. 

 

Her hand coasted down the naked expanse of his hard chest, slipping under the waistband of his sweats and taking his thick overwhelming length in her hand. He stuttered a moan against her lips as she began to stroke him, pulling him out of the top of his sweats. She felt his hands tighten to a bruising degree against her ribs and then loosen. The feeling of it sent a tingle down her spine, spreading through her core. Maya’s thumb smoothed over the head of his length, spreading the bead of moisture around and down him as he continued to grace her with his heady moans. He yanked the shorts down her body and leaned over her so she was slotted beneath him. Naturally, he pushed his hips forward and Maya canted hers up, lining him up neatly against her core. He pushed up on a forearm so he could more easily pull the shirt she was wearing off, leaving her naked. He always needed her completely naked so he could drink in every inch of skin, watch the rise and fall of her breasts as she spiraled toward orgasm and see the line of her hips press against his. Paul gave her body one long look of appreciation, leaning down to kiss across her shoulder and the hollow of her throat before leaning up, spreading her further apart so he could bottom out into her in one hard push. Maya let her mouth hang open in a prolonged gasp as she felt him stretch her apart, filling her completely. 

 

And with the unspoken fear still lodged in her throat, she let him claim her. As he rocked into her slowly, making sure to fully remove himself before sliding all the way back in, she knew she would let him take what was hers to give again and again. This love and heat and carefully buried fear of this man who was working between her legs, who would give her everything, and expect the same was it. Monster or not, Maya was in love with all of it. And as he pressed into her faster, pulling her toward a sweeping crescendo, she watched the wracking pleasure and hedonistic lust on his face transform into one of everlasting adoration. Maya’s mouth fell slack and she cried out a moan too loud for the evening. So when he clamped his hand gently over her mouth to quiet her as he edged her toward her orgasm she let that feeling of overwhelming love rush through her, comforted by the fact that this man would only ever be hers. Mine. 

 





Maya held Becks hand as they walked slowly through the SeaTac airport. Paul walked a few paces behind them, his eyes traveling around the terminal and lazily back to his phone as if he was waiting for a call he didn’t care would come or not. 

 

When they had woken up that morning, Becks hadn’t mentioned Jacob. She hadn’t said much at all. But her suitcases were ready by the front door of the guest room, ready for Paul to ferry them to the car. Maya had asked Paul if he had heard anything or if Jacob would be showing up to send them off but he had shaken his head, showing her the texts between him and Sam about his whereabouts. 

 

It was almost as if Becks knew, so Maya thought that maybe Jacob had contacted her to tell her to go or that he was sorry or that he would give her space or whatever she needed. She was honestly relieved if she was being honest, because if that was the case then Becks could return to Northwestern one last time before her life inevitably changed forever. As they approached Becks’ gate though, that relief evaporated. Jacob towered over the heads of the other travelers as he scanned the crowd for his imprint. His eyes looked soft, sullen, resigned, but his face was pulled with tiredness, the dark circles under his eyes darkening the chocolate brown of his irises. Maya gulped and felt Becks pause beside her. Immediately she shot her a look to garner their next move—should they run or get out of sight before Jacob saw? Maybe Paul could run interference, say Becks got on an earlier flight and she was already gone. But Becks was looking straight ahead, her eyes almost calling out to Jacob’s and he answered the call almost immediately. He took one step forward as if to run toward her but then stopped, thinking better of it and waited until she began walking toward him. 

 

Maya let go of her hand and let her walk forward with her, Paul taking Becks’ place and filling her hand with his quickly. The soothing warmth lulled her panic somewhat as she watched Becks come to a stop in front of Jacob. Neither of them said anything for a long moment—they just stared at one another as if the short time apart during this upset had been more like months or years. And finally, Maya watched as Jacob raised his broad hand to cup Becks’ cheek, his tired eyes glimmering with unshed tears as he said the words “I’m so sorry.” 

 

Paul tugged Maya closer to him and she obliged. Becks fell into Jacob’s arms as the sobs shook her shoulders. Jacob leaned his head over hers and continued to mumble apologies and promises. He would be forgiven, because there was no other choice. But Maya knew even if there was one, Becks would forgive him because that was the person she was. No matter what rage or violence she witnessed in the man she loved, she would choose to see what mattered. She’d forgive him his past if he’d share it with her. For now, though, this could be enough. 

 

Maya watched with bated breath as the overcom announced that Becks’ flight was beginning boarding. Jacob had Becks’ face cradled in both hands, speaking with her earnestly. Becks was shaking her head softly but Maya couldn’t see her face. She looked up at Paul whose mouth was set in a hard line as he watched. That look pitched her stomach with anxiety and she looked back at Becks silently chanting for her to go. Jacob leaned down to kiss Becks in earnest now as she brought a hand to his face to catch a tear that had escaped. When they finally pulled apart after what felt like an eternity, Becks nodded. Maya inhaled sharply and looked up at Paul for anything, any sense of what was going on. He glanced down at her and gave the smallest shake of his head. 

 

What?! Maya’s mind was racing. But when she looked back, Jacob had pulled Becks into a crushing hug, openly sobbing now as he held her. This didn’t look good. 

 

After another moment of them holding tightly to one another, Becks took a step back and then…amazingly, walked around Jacob toward the door to the gate. Jacob turned to watch her go, his sobs wracking his entire body in a soul-splitting pain that Maya had trouble watching. But when Becks turned to give him one last look, she gave a weak smile and blew him a kiss. And then, she left. Jacob stood there, hands tangled in his hair as he dissolved into a complete mess. Maya felt her cheeks and realized they were wet. When had she started crying? The immense heartbreak she had just witnessed almost crumbled her own resolve to leave this time, but Paul pulled her into a tight hug and steered her away from Becks’ gate and down the terminal toward her own. 

 

“You’ll look after him, right?” Maya nearly choked. Paul nodded, giving her a small, sad smile. 

 

“Of course, My,” he promised. “He’s going to be fine.” 

 

Maybe they were too distracted with the devastating departure of Becks and Jacob, but leaving Paul this time didn’t feel so bad. He held her a little bit longer than normal and buried his face into her hair, taking deep inhaling breaths to capture her scent just a little bit longer. But when he let her go this time, Maya felt solid. 

 




Three months later…

 

Maya was typing as fast as she could in her Geotechnical Engineering course on a balmy April afternoon. It felt like her professor was talking a million miles an hour and she could start to feel a familiar knot in her neck tighten. Maya was swamped to say the least. Between four overwhelming courses, looming finals, and her advisor pressing her to submit applications for prospective internships to pursue her sophomore and junior year, she hadn’t slept much. 

 

She had never felt this much stress before and that was coming from someone who had had little to no free time thanks to her overzealous, community-minded mother since she was 4. Spring break had come and gone so quickly and she had tried her best to hold onto the carefree feeling she had as she spent an entire week uninterrupted with Paul in New York. They had spent their time going out to lunch and dinner, watching movies in the rented townhouse, and making love on the rooftop terrace. It had been nothing short of magical, but in the month since, Maya felt like she hadn’t had any time to catch her breath, much less talk to Paul. 

 

The ache in her stomach was a constant presence and she’d be lying if she said she wasn’t on the verge of tears most nights with the stress, the quick texts before bed, and the missed phone calls. But she wasn’t going to let it get to her. She was almost through her first year at Columbia and she could push through a few more weeks before getting back to normal on the rez. 

 

Well, as close to normal as you could get with your best friend due to have a baby that summer at 19. 

 

Maya glanced up at the shifting slides on the overhead projector and suddenly felt light headed. She was completely lost in the lecture now even though she had been scrambling to keep up. Suddenly, she felt nauseous. Maya groaned internally and closed her eyes tight trying to get a grip. Her eyes darted up to the clock above the projector—only 15 minutes to go and then she could make it back to her dorm and lay down for a minute, maybe call Paul, and relax. 

 

Maybe. 

 

Twenty-five minutes later, Maya shut the door to her and Beez’s dorm and leaned back against it. A pitiful groan sounded from underneath a pile of blankets on Beez’s bed. 

 

“You okay?” Maya said, panting as if she was out of breath. The roiling in her stomach still hadn’t settled and she placed a tentative hand over her stomach, hoping it would quell the upset and stress that bubbled there. 

 

“Eeeegnnhh, nooooo,” Beez whined. 

 

“What’s wrong?” Maya said as she tried to walk over to her bed slowly before sitting on the edge, “You sick?” 

 

“Nooo, it’s my fucking period,” Beez moaned. 

 

“Again?” Maya said flopping back onto her back and staring up at the ceiling trying to count the holes in the ceiling tiles to distract herself from the mounting nausea. 

 

“Uh yeah, that’s the point. It comes every month like a bat out of hell sent to drag me to…hell,” Beez finished with a groan. Maya narrowed her eyes and tried concentrating on what Beez had just said. 

 

“It hasn’t been a month, though,” Maya said after a beat. 

 

“What?” Beez said peeking her head out from under the covers. Maya leaned up on her elbows and looked toward Beez with a wince. 

 

“It hasn’t been a whole month has it?” She asked again. 

 

“Uh, yeah, it has. I think I’d know,” Beez said grumpily. Maya glanced back up at the ceiling mentally counting out the weeks. It hadn’t really been a month had it? Maya had been so distracted with class and keeping her head above water that she couldn’t remember…the last time she’d had her period. 

 

She wracked her very full brain, shuffling around the structural analysis formulas and geotechnical principles to see if she could remember. Paul had been out here a month ago for spring break and she hadn’t had it then…she remembered having it shortly after she got back to school, but after that, it was all a blur. The nausea swelled within her again as panic pounded her brain. 

 

There was no way. No way in hell this was happening. She couldn’t even say the words in her head 

 

“Maya?” Beez said from underneath her comforter. 

 

“Mm?” Maya said shortly. 

 

“Do we have any aspirin?” she groaned. But Maya didn’t answer. Next to her, her phone started to ring, flashing with a picture of Paul. For the first time though, Maya couldn’t bring herself to answer him right away. 

 





[Voicemail: 4/28, 8:34 p.m.] 

 

Hey My, it’s Paul. Just trying to catch you. I haven’t heard your voice in a couple of days and I just wanted to…to hear you. Listen, babe, I know we’ve both been busy and I know I’ve missed some calls because I’ve been caught up with this house stuff for Jacob and Becks and the new baby, but…when you come home, I promise things will slow down. I love you. Call me back. Okay…bye babe. 

 

Maya clicked to save the voicemail from Paul and then quickly pocketed her phone back in her pocket as she strode forward in the cool night air. The last week had been her just going through the motions. Ignoring the mounting stress as best she could and burying the near persistent nausea building in her stomach, Maya pushed ahead toward finals. 

 

But deep down, she knew she couldn’t put this off forever. If she was…she swallowed thickly unable to bring herself to think of  the word, then what then? She was desperate not to think about it anymore. As the lights of the campus infirmary came into view though, Maya couldn’t put off the unknown any longer. When she left her dorm that night she had intended on heading to the library and to study until her brain went blissfully numb. When her phone had lit up for the third time that day with Paul’s warm and comforting face however, she had changed course. 

 

Whatever happened, she’d deal with it. But she didn’t have to deal with it alone, so why was she leaving Paul on read and unanswered in her inbox? The bright lights of the infirmary washed over her as she headed toward the reception desk to the student aid behind the counter. 

 

“Hello,” she said in a kind, tired voice. “What can I help you with?” 

 

“Um,” Maya fidgeted her hands on the top of the counter and leaned in a little to keep her voice hushed even though the small lobby of the infirmary was empty save for one student. “I need to do a pregnancy test.” Maya flushed red and watched as the almost bored looking student aid gather paperwork on a clipboard and slid it across the desk toward her. 

 

“Okay, no problem. Fill this info out and return it when you’re done. We’ll get you back in a few minutes. They don’t take very long,” she said. Maya stalled holding the clipboard limply in her hands and staring open-mouthed at the student aid, “Let me know if you have any questions though.” The aid reassured her. 

 

Maya snapped out of it and nodded, walking toward a close chair and sinking into it. As she filled out the necessary information, her heart ratcheted up in her chest. I should call Paul, she thought involuntarily. She should call Paul. But she knew if she did he would panic and do everything he could to get to her before she even found out the result. The irony that only six months later she was sitting in such a similar situation to Becks did not escape her. Did Becks also feel this scared, this unsure about what she’d do next? Did all she want was her imprint by her side to tell her it would be okay and that they would do everything they needed to do and whatever felt right? 

 

She must have. 

 

“Maya Sunriviere?” The nurse called from a doorway behind the reception desk. Maya’s head shot up. When had the clipboard disappeared from her hands and ended up in the nurse’s? Maya got up on unsteady legs and followed her back into an exam room. The questions offered by the nurse floated in and out of her head. She must have answered them though because the next thing she knew she was being ushered toward a private bathroom with a cup in hand. 

 

Time was moving too quickly and skipping ahead, but when she found herself back in the waiting room, everything slowed down to a torturous pace. She pulled out her phone and checked the time. Only two minutes had ticked by but it had felt like an eternity. Maya absently swung her feet as she sat on the exam table letting her mind mingle with thoughts of Paul, her, and the potential of…no. She wouldn’t let herself go there, not yet, not when she didn’t even know what she wanted. 

 

But what if she didn’t want…it? What if she wasn’t ready? For once, Maya didn’t know how Paul would react to something like that. If she didn’t want that with him right now, how would he react? Would he support her or drag her home? The council would have her head if she tried to deviate any further than what she already had. 



Maya felt herself beginning to hope beyond hope that this wasn’t real and that she’d wake up in bed and laugh at herself. She began to hope that it wasn’t a possibility. But there was a small voice in the back of her head saying otherwise. 

 

Maya glanced down at her phone again. Five whole minutes had passed and the room felt colder. Just as she released a great sigh and was about to start pacing her phone vibrated causing her to jump. Paul’s broad smile shone up at her and in a daze, her trembling fingers pressed answer. 

 

Even as she pressed the phone to her ear, she knew this was a mistake. 

 

“Hello?” she said, her voice sounding stronger than she thought it would sound. 

 

“My? Oh, baby it’s so good to hear your voice,” Paul’s warm voice vibrated across thousands of miles and echoed in her ear. She felt immediately soothed by it and couldn’t help closing her eyes at the sound. “Where have you been?” 

 

“I-I…I’ve just been studying babe, I’m sorry. It’s been…t-totally crazy,” she stuttered. She needed to get a grip. 

 

“My…” Too late. “What’s wrong? You okay?” The stress was evident in his voice. The timbre took on a rougher scratch that pressed it’s urgency on her. 

 

“Yeah, fine,” she quipped. There was a deadened silence on the other end and Maya held her breath as her eyes darted about the room. She couldn’t tell him, not now when she didn’t even know herself. Why the fuck did she answer the fucking phone? “Paul, really. I’m fine, just tired. It’s….been a long week and I—” 

 

“Are you okay? You sound…” 

 

“Baby, yes. I’m fine. I’m….in my dorm with Beez. I’m fine,” she said, not wholly convincing anyone. Paul let out a sigh on the other end and seemed to be taking a moment to measure his words. 

 

“I’m sorry. I know this time apart has been hard and you’re so stressed. I’m probably picking up on that. You just sound…off,” Maya was almost annoyed at the accuracy at which he had her pegged. She felt bad that she wasn’t telling him where she was right at this moment and how scared she had been just a few moments ago. And now…now she felt lighter, safe. It still took her off guard the effect he had on her sometimes. 

 

“Oh,” she said, a little breathless, “No..no I’m fine. It’s nothing I just…I wasn’t feeling well and I went to the infirmary and I—” A knock sounded on the outside of the exam room and the nurse peeked in. 

 

“Maya?” she said gently with a smile. Maya’s mouth hung open mid-sentence as the phone slipped off her ear and onto her shoulder. 

 

“My? You went to the infirmary? Are you sick? Baby?” she could hear Paul’s voice echo on the phone. 

 

“Yes,” Maya answered, her throat dry now as the nurse clicked the door softly shut behind her and consulted her clipboard. 

 

“Maya? Are you there?” Paul continued, his voice hinting at a panic. 

 

“We’ve got the results of your pregnancy test,” the nurse said, consulting her clipboard. Maya swallowed hard. This was it. Her heart hammered in her chest and as she watched the nurse’s lips form the words: “Negative.” 

 

“Negative?” Maya repeated. “As in..”

 

“As in not pregnant,” the nurse confirmed. Maya could have fallen through the floor with the relief that crushed her in that moment. 

 

“Thank you,” Maya breathed. The nurse nodded and left the room. 

 

“My?!” Paul shouted. She brought the phone back up to her ear, “What’s negative?!” Maya was stunned and her voice had disappeared. The only words she could muster as the pain in her belly subsided into one of overwhelming relief was:

 

“Can I call you back?” 

 

“What?!” Paul shouted, the anger clearly ebbing around his concern. Maya ended the call and let her arm fall slack at her side. 

 

“Fuck,” she breathed out as she broke into a sob of relief. 






Chapter 44: In over your head

Chapter Text

Do you ever feel like a slingshot? Because I feel like one a lot lately. The thing about slingshots is they’re useful, right up until they're not. But the thing I identify with most is the potential of a slingshot. Its inherent use is obvious whether it’s being pulled taut, loaded with something to launch, or sitting empty somewhere. But lately, I feel like the latter version. I feel empty, but built with so much potential and care that it seems like such a waste. How do I shake this feeling? How do I reclaim the version of myself that feels most useful? Ready to launch and exceed my own expectation of how far I can make things go. Pulled tight, and overstretched but so fantastically full with purpose and determination. I don’t know, I suppose that might sound a little weird, but it makes sense to me. I’m a slingshot, I’ve just got to find that missing piece of me. 

 




Maya made it through her last final by the skin of her teeth. The last few weeks of the semester had been a blur after her scare in the infirmary and if she was being honest with herself, she’d never really been able to shake it off. She had successfully been able to quell Paul’s concerns when she lied and said she thought she had strep, brought on by the unrelenting stress of finals. He had conceded and the next day, a care package had shown up at her dorm filled with vitamin C packets, a heated blanket, weighted neck pillow, her favorite snacks, and a carefully carved wolf figurine. That one had made her smile. And then the smile had faltered and Maya had felt nauseous all over again. 

 

Something still hadn’t sat right with Maya over lying to Paul about the pregnancy scare, but she knew she didn’t want to tell him over the phone where she wouldn't be able to read his face. If she was being honest, she’d even say she was a little embarrassed by all of this, but couldn’t fully pinpoint the reason why. She’s sure it had to do with the fact that this was entirely ironic. What if she had gotten a positive test result back? What then? She knew Becks would never say a word against her, but still, Maya felt a little ashamed with how she had reacted to Becks’ pregnancy and she had almost been put in the line of fire herself. And then there was…a confusing air of disappointment. 

 

Maya had pushed that feeling so far down so as not to have to deal with its confusing effects during her finals, but now, as she packed her suitcases and filled some boxes with the bits she’d gathered during her semester, it began to bubble up again. 

 

Why in the world should she feel disappointment? The thought raged in her head as she tried to focus on folding and pressing her t-shirts into her suitcase. It’s not like she wanted to be pregnant—far from it. Maya knew she wasn’t ready for that and she still had dreams and things she wanted to do first. They were on the same page about that. But still..it left a tiny dime sized hole in the pit of her stomach, and the ache that usually pulsed as a reminder of her imprint squeezed around that empty feeling until her head would start to ache. 

 

Maya brought a hand to her forehead and checked for a fever. Maybe she was just getting sick and this feeling was merely a delusion of that. She felt relatively cool, but how she was to know. Her phone buzzed in her back pocket and Maya slipped it out and quickly opened the email notification from Paul with her flight details. She smiled at the short note in the email from him: 

 

Can’t wait to have you back with me. 

 

She sent a quick reply of “Can’t wait to be back with you,” before adding the notification of her early morning flight to her calendar and packing in earnest now. This feeling would ebb and she would feel whole again once she was back home and with Paul, she knew it. Beez was already out ferrying her stuff to the mailroom to ship back home, so when Maya heard a quick succession of knocks on her dorm room door, she raised an eyebrow in confusion. 

 

When she pulled it open, she had no time to react before a bright, warm body was hurtling into her arms with a squeal. 

 

“KEYE?!” Maya yelled as she inhaled the familiar scent of her friend’s shampoo and wrapped her arms around her. “What the fuck are you doing here?!” Keye was laughing and swinging Maya from side to side. When she pulled back to look at her, her eyes were bright with excitement and Maya immediately felt that empty hole shrink. Keye was a bit of home. 

 

“Surprise! I thought I’d come celebrate the end of your laborious finals with you!” she replied with a sound of delight as she clapped her hands together. 

 

“But what..how did you? But you have school!” Maya nearly scolded. She was so happy Keye was here and her own excitement was plain on her face as she held onto her friend's hand. Keye shrugged. 

 

“UW let out a few days ago and I was just putzing around the rez, so! HERE I AM! In the big apple and ready to party, bitch!” Keye walked deeper into Maya’s dorm scanning the contents of the room with a discerning eye. Her eyes landed on the stack of boxes in the corner and she shook her head. 

 

“But how did you get here?” Maya continued, coming to stand beside her friend. 

 

“Psh, what do you think?” She replied, hands on her hips and mirroring Maya’s posture just moments before. “Paul.” She said simply. “He texted me a couple of days ago and asked if I wanted to go out and see you, help bring you back. Said you had been so stressed with finals that you’d nearly made yourself sick,” at this she wagged her finger at Maya disapprovingly before continuing, “And thought I’d be a great little treat for you. So sweet,” she concluded with a knowing grin. Maya rolled her eyes but couldn’t help the rush of warmth that filled her now. It’s like he’d known she was missing a piece and he’d tried to fill it the best way he could. 

 

Maya smiled and nodded. “Very sweet,” she confirmed as she looked at her boxes. 

 

“What the fuck are we supposed to do with all of this then?” Keye blurted out. Maya laughed, thoroughly glad for the company. 




“That’s the last one,” Keye said as she huffed and heaved another box up onto the mailroom counter. It had taken them two trips with the dolly to get all of Maya’s things here and both girls were completely out of breath at this point. Yeah, next semester, she was not bringing this much stuff. Which wouldn’t be too hard to do, she thought, because she had the option of living off campus or in the sophomore suites next year. Maya hadn’t quite decided what she wanted yet. Paul was obviously keen on the idea of her living off campus where he could come and stay with her whenever he liked, but Maya still thought being close to her cohort would be the best while she was out here on her own. 

 

She shrugged off the thought for now, not needing to dwell on it for the next couple of months at least and smiled at the student attendants behind the counter. 

 

“Where to?” A befreckled boy asked, as he poised his pen over the clipboard. 

 

“La Push, Washington,” Maya said, her voice drenched in contentment. 

 

After filling out the postage for each box and sliding her black card to pay for the exorbitant shipping fee, Maya and Keye walked arm and arm into the fresh spring air that was mingling with the teasing warmth of summer. They were all smiles, giggling at nothing and everything as they talked, making their way across campus. 

 

Maya could almost feel the weight of this semester roll off her shoulders under the pleasing May sun and as they sauntered across the quad, Keye asked, “So, what do we do for our last night as free women in this big ole city? Because I think—” 

 

“HEY! MAYA!” Maya’s head shot up and she watched with a smile as Noah jogged toward them with an equally pleased smile. 

 

“Oh…my,” Keye said with a hungry edge to her voice. 

 

“What?” Maya asked, confused, but it was too late to confer as Noah was already in front of them, all smiles and giving off a sweet musk mixed with an earthier cologne that made Maya raise an eyebrow. 

 

“Hey, you all packed?” He asked between breaths. Keye was definitely staring. Maya had never thought Noah was exceedingly handsome, not like Paul, but she could see the appeal now with Keye giving him an appreciative look. 

 

“Uh, yeah, just dropped it off at the mailroom. This is Keye, she’s my best friend from La Push,” Maya motioned to Keye who had already unthreaded her arm and was running a hand through her chopped hair and putting on her megawatt smile. Noah turned to Keye as if noticing her for the first time and beamed back holding out his hand. 

 

“Noah,” he said confidently. When Keye took his hand he said, “Wow, the genetics running around La Push are gorgeous. Someone should really do a study.” Keye laughed at this as she continued to shake his hand. Maya bit her lip and had to stifle a laugh. Was Keye really interested in him? Well, Keye was interested in everyone to be fair. “So, when do you head out?” Noah said, finally letting Keye’s hand fall and turning his interest back to Maya. 

 

“Early,” Maya sighed, “Tomorrow morning.” 

 

“So you have one last night of debauched fun, then,” He said with almost a mischievous twinkle in his eye. Keye whooped and turned to Maya with an eager smile. Maya groaned but she realized she was smiling. 

 

“I guess,” she bemoaned sarcastically as her smile stretched wider across her face. 

 

“YES! But first, I was promised the most delicious deli sandwich ever.” Keye fist pumped the air and slotted her hand into Noah’s tugging him toward the quad and he followed her eagerly. 







Maya, Keye, and Beez were chatting loudly as they ascended the stairs from the subway station into the warm night air. They were greeted at the top by some other friends from Maya’s cohort, as well as Noah, who gave her a warm smile and tugged her into a quick hug. Keye looked bemused at them before they all quickly conferred on their first stop that evening and headed down the sidewalk. A pack of engineering and math students now free of the shackles of the semester were ready to welcome summer with open arms. Maya couldn’t remember the last time she could breathe this easy. 

 

With most of her outfit choices packed away and sent home, Maya had opted for her tightest pair of jeans that hugged her ass perfectly and a cropped black top that dipped so low in the front that the top of her black lace bralette was easily on display. She’d taken some extra time to do her hair that evening and it shimmered under the lamplights in soft, silky waves down her back. She’d even let Keye line and fill in her lips so that they looked more pouted than usual, finishing it off with an expert, delicate winged eyeliner and a touch of mascara. 

 

The night held promise—the promise of summer, the promise of a good time, and even the promise of a neat end, tied up into a bow and ready to blow Maya back to the west coast. She was ready to lose herself in the laughter and chat of her friends tonight, letting the first year of college sink into her completely and color her into something new and experienced before heading back to the undoubtedly drama-filled summer that La Push would certainly deliver. 

 

But for now, the night was new and the lights and sounds of this city that Maya had come to love and claim as her own settled and hummed against her skin. As they poured through the doors of their first bar that evening, the music shaking the walls and the lights strobing off the center of a dance floor, she was greeted with the vibrant voices of her friends yelling: 

 

“Shots! Shots!” 

 

Keye squealed with delight and tugged Maya toward the bar before everything dimmed deliciously around her and almost faded completely into black. 






Maya slowly opened her eyes to the sound of rough grinding construction ringing out of the cracked window to her left. The room was swathed in bright light around her as she put a hand to her throbbing forehead, letting out a long breath trying to quell the pounding ache that was building around her temples. 

 

Birds chirped animatedly between the hammering and clanging of the construction outside and Maya opened her mouth as if to call out to Paul and tell him to keep it down. It was way too early for him to be carrying on like that and she wasn’t even entirely sure how he could make that much noise in his small workshop. The sound of concrete drill rattled to life against some pavement and Maya’s eyes sprang open, focusing on the ceiling above her. 

 

Not home. Her mind confirmed quickly. 

 

Suddenly, Maya felt the shift of an arm underneath the pillow she laid on and she turned her head to see Noah asleep a couple feet from her on his back, one arm slung over his eyes and the other tucked under the pillow beneath her head. Maya’s breathing picked up. She was at Noah’s. Why was she at Noah’s? She lifted her head to look down at herself expecting the worst but she was fully clothed and upon second glance, so was Noah. 

 

Maya lifted her head to see Keye tucked between her and Noah, her head at the foot of the bed and her mouth gently parted in sleep. Her eyes shot around the room as she sat up, trying to recall the night that had led to her and Keye ending up here. 

 

Somewhere between their third and fourth bar is when she lost track of the evening. She recalled at one point hopping onto Noah’s back after stumbling so much that he insisted he carry her. As she clung to him piggyback style down the streets of New York, he had planted his hands firmly beneath her thighs as she leaned her head back and drank in the cool night air as their friends ping ponged around them. But when had they come back here? The sharp shrill of birds chirping made Maya’s eyes go wide as realization dawned on her. 

 

What time is it?! Maya scrambled for her phone in the bed to the groggy groans of Keye and Noah. She found it on the nightstand next to her, but when she attempted to turn it on, it was , of course, dead. Maya sprang from the bed against the protesting of her head and searched for Noah’s phone charger frantically as Keye moaned painfully. 

 

“Keye, get up!” Maya snapped. She found the end to Noah’s charger plugged in on his side of the bed and shoved it hastily into her phone waiting for it to boot up.

 

“Fi’ more mins,” Keye groaned as she tried to cover her head. Noah was rubbing his face and yawning nonchalantly. 

 

“Please, please, please,” Maya whispered as she waited for her phone to finally open. 

 

9:02 a.m. 

 

“Fuck,” she whispered. They’d missed their flight back to La Push that had been slated to leave at 7 a.m. that morning. Just as her brain was starting to switch into overdrive, a volley of delayed text notifications, voicemails, and missed calls popped up. Maya gave an exasperated groan. 

 

Before she even opened the missed texts, mostly from Paul she assumed, she quickly opened a new text to Michael to get him working on booking her and Keye the next flight home. But just as she began typing, her phone sprang to life with Paul’s face. 

 

“Fuck,” Maya squeaked louder this time. She looked at his face for a solid two seconds before hastily answering the phone. “Paul I’m—” 

 

He cut her off: “My!? Jesus, where are you?” There was a tinge of irritation in his voice but mostly he sounded concerned. That was promising. 

 

“I—I’m so sorry, babe. I was just texting Michael to get our flights changed. We…we overslept,” she admitted, holding onto her head and looking up at Noah who was watching her carefully. 

 

“You overslept?” He asked, confusion coloring his voice. Maya held her breath and shut her eyes tight. She felt so many things right now: embarrassment, annoyance, hung over, and a tinge of sadness. If she hadn’t missed her flight, she’d be almost halfway to him by now. 

 

“Yes,” she said simply trying to hide the tremble in her voice as she fought back tears. “My phone died and we overslept,” Maya realized she was still kneeling next to Noah’s bed and she stood up suddenly with her hand on her hip. 

 

“What the fuck, Maya?” Paul said, his voice slightly raised and the anger ebbing out. Maya let out a huff of breath and turned to see Keye with her hands over her eyes. 

 

“I know, I… I just messed up, I’m sorry. We all went out last night and my phone died and—” 

 

“What the fuck is going on?” Paul asked, anger coloring his tone. 

 

“Nothing, Paul,” Maya said, her annoyance creeping out, “We just overslept. It’s not a big deal. I’ll get Michael to book us on the next flight out of here. Calm down, please.” 

 

What was his deal? She thought this reaction was a little over the top for her accidentally missing her flight home but there was an edge of desperation and worry in his tone and she suddenly felt guilty for a simple mistake. 

 

“I said I was sorry,” she said, getting upset now. 

 

“Oh, you will be,” he said ominously. Maya’s eyes widened momentarily and then she shook her head. He was upset, she understood that but this was almost too much. “Just get home.” He said in a quipped tone. 

 

“Whatever,” Maya replied dismissively before hanging up and grabbing Keye’s arm, shaking it roughly. “Get up! We gotta go!” She scrolled to Michael’s name and pressed the call button before looking over at Noah. 

 

“Maya,” he said slowly, apologetically. Maya held up her hand to him as Michael answered on the other line. 

 

“Michael, hey, it’s Maya. Look, me and Keye missed our flights. Can you book us on the next one out ASAP? Paul nearly had a coronary.” 

 

“Of course. I’ll send you an updated itinerary as soon as it’s booked,” he said. 

 

“Thanks Michael,” Maya said, holding her hand to her forehead. 

 

“Anytime.” Maya hung up the phone and started looking for her things. 

 

“Keye! Let’s go! Airport! Now!” she barked in response to Keye's continued groaning. 

 




Two and half hours later, Keye and Maya were tucked onto their flight back to Washington. 

Maya had only forwarded her flight details to Paul via text, but he hadn’t responded. She knew she had clearly upset him but at the end of the day, she hadn’t done it on purpose. Which was why his reaction had seemed so off base. Was he really that upset with her? Or was it something else? Knowing Paul it had to be something else. Maya had clearly looked lost in thought as she gazed across Keye out the plane window because she abruptly asked:  

 

“Are you gonna tell him?” Maya snapped from her reverie, smoothing the worried look that hand scrunched across her brow a moment earlier. 

 

“Huh?” She replied. 

 

“Paul,” Keye said expectantly. 

 

“What about him?” Maya asked, confused still. Keye raised her eyebrows in surprise at Maya. 

 

“Are you gonna tell him about us sleeping at Noah’s?” That thought honestly hadn’t even crossed Maya’s mind but now that Keye had said it…

 

“Uuuuhh,” she stalled. 

 

“Oh damn,” Keye breathed out with an amused laugh at the end. 

 

“What?!” Maya asked with a lick of accusation in her voice. Keye shook her head, the incredulous look not quite wiped from her features yet. 

 

“Nothing just…Damn, Maya. Didn’t realize you were a cold player,” she was clearly joking but Maya stung a little at that. 

 

“What are you talking about? We passed out at Noah’s, so what?” Maya looked down at her hands and started fiddling with the zipper on the front of her sweatshirt. 

 

“Noah is into you,” Keye quipped. Maya scoffed and rolled her eyes. 

 

“So, I’ve heard.” 

 

“Yeah, and uh, I’ve never had a massively possessive—” 

 

“Paul’s not—” Maya tried to interject. 

 

“Fine, ‘protective’. I’ve never had as crazy of a protective boyfriend as you have, but I’m pretty sure he would not be super siked to hear that you passed out in Noah’s bed, next to him, after letting him get buddy buddy all night.” Keye wasn’t accusing her, nor was her tone hurtful. She just stated it matter of factly and Maya faltered. 

 

“Buddy buddy?” she clarified with an edge to her voice, glancing at Keye. 

 

“Don’t look at me like that,” Keye pushed back, “My, you know what you do to dudes. Paul included.” 

 

“I do not,” Maya said, truly at a loss. Keye was the one to roll her eyes this time. 

 

“Don’t do that. Don’t play that oblivious pretty girl bit,” Keye said, her tone sharp, but sincere. 

 

“I don’t know what the hell that means but if I tell Paul I slept in a bed with Noah, he might very well lose his mind. So, no. I’m not going to tell him. But I do not encourage Noah, Keye. You’ve got that wrong,” Maya shot back. Keye shrugged her shoulders and started pulling out her headphones. 

 

“Okay, just want to get our story straight.” 

 

“There’s nothing to get straight. Nothing happened. We partied too late last night and I slept through my alarm like an idiot. And that just happened to royally piss my boyfriend off. Case closed,” Maya folded her arms across her chest and glanced out the window again. “Keye?” she tried to confirm. Keye poised her headphones over her ears and shook her head. 

 

“My, it’s not a big deal. You know I don’t care what you do. All I’m saying is, if Paul was there last night, you would have not done the things you did,” Keye slotted her earphones in and finished with, “Just be careful.” 

 

Maya tried to determine what could have happened the night before to make Keye think that she had been ‘buddy buddy’ with Noah. But nothing came to mind. She hadn’t held his hand or hung on him. She was never the kind of girl to do that, in fact she was considered the rez prude for most of her life before dating Paul. She had accepted a piggy back ride from Noah to their last bar of the night. That wasn’t leading him on though, was it? 

 

She thought about what Keye said—about how if Paul had been around last night, she wouldn’t have done half the things she did. But what had she done? Hung out with friends? Joked? Accepted a drink from Noah or Ben? But if Keye had seen something she hadn’t then maybe she was saying or doing things without realizing. Maya shook her head, trying to banish the thought. Whatever it was she had or hadn’t done last night didn’t matter. 

 

She was going home for the summer, resuming her life with Paul and being present for her best friend who was about to have her baby. And she wasn’t going to tell Paul because it wasn’t information he needed to know. Not when he was already pissed at her. 

 

It would be fine. 

 

“Fine,” Maya breathed out. 

 




Paul leaned his head back beneath the shower head and let the water rush down over his face and neck. Showers were never the same after he had phased, not as warm, not as relaxing, but today… Paul let out a low groan as water ran rivulets down his hard chest to his legs. He looked down at the girl on her knees taking him deep into her throat and bobbing her head expertly. He threaded his fingers through her hair at the back of her head and gave a harsh huff as he held her face to him for just a few brief seconds, her lips pressed against his hilt. 

 

“My, fuck!” he shuddered as he released her and she continued to take him in earnest now, edging him closer. She gazed up at him around her lashes and smiled around his length, nearly sending him. She knew what she was doing to him. 

 

He had been so mad at her this morning when she had called and nonchalantly admitted on the other end that she had missed her flight. The worry and ache that had been his constant companion since April had exploded in that instant and he had gripped his phone so tightly it had almost cracked in two. But the second she had walked over the threshold of that front door, dropped her bags, and gave him that warm, all encompassing smile, he felt the tension and anger ebb from his shoulders and he soaked up that radiating pleasure she gave off. 

 

The imprint would never let him stay mad at her for long, nor would Maya. That’s how she had ended up on her knees in the shower, her mouth stuffed full of him, eagerly swallowing him down. Paul braced his forearm against the shower wall and leaned his head forward, letting the water hit his back and blocking it from raining down on Maya’s face. She braced her hands on his broad thighs now, taking long, sweet pulls on him before dipping him down and to the back of her throat making him groan. She had him. 

 

“My, I’m gonna–” he grunted and in response Maya quickly pushed him down to the back of her throat, letting him settle there. Paul’s eyes went wide and he held onto her head as he pumped forward into her mouth, fucking her face gently a few times before spilling down her throat. His breathing came in fast, powerful huffs as he slowly pulled her off of him and she swallowed what was left in her mouth before smiling serenely up at him. 

 

“Jesus, My,” he said with a huff of laughter. She stayed on her knees for a moment, smiling up at him and he brought his hand to her face, cupping her cheek and running his thumb across her full lower lip. 

 

As she stood and leaned against his chest, the top of her head not quite meeting his shoulder line, she hummed her appreciation. Maya gazed up at him with that heart-squeezing smile and Paul felt that tug that urged her closer. He wrapped an arm down around her back, resting on her ass as he brought his lips to her forehead. Maya wrapped her arms around his neck and leaned into it, letting the relief of the imprint pulse between them. 

 

“Am I forgiven yet?” Maya asked, pressing her lips across his throat as the water poured down and over his shoulders. Paul chuckled and kissed the top of her head. 

 

“Almost,” he teased. “But I want to show you something.” Maya looked up at him curiously and he couldn’t help but laugh. “It’s a good thing.” 




Paul shut the door to his forerunner and came around the front of the car where Maya stood, slotting her hand into his. The clearing that had once been blank space backed with evergreens that led deeper into the forest was now filled with a prominent two-story, sleek, dark navy home with modern white trim. The graveled drive was still being curved in and dotted with low garden lights, and the ground was freshly tilled and waiting for landscaping, but the house looked nearly done. 

 

Maya let her eyes wander across the damp concrete of the freshly poured porch that wrapped around the right side of the house. The large white paned windows shone in the easy afternoon light and Paul felt Maya squeeze his hand and tug him forward. 

 

“Paul,” she said, nearly breathless. Paul had to admit it, the work they had accomplished in just five short months was pretty impressive. The outside of the house was almost completed and only needed a few finishing touches (lights installed, porch railing sealed, and numbers affixed to the door). Inside would take a little bit longer, but Jacob had asked to wait for Becks so that she could decide the things she wanted like paint color, floor stain, light fixtures, and even window trim. He was going all out for his imprint, but Paul understood why. This family and this life meant everything to him. It was what he had been seeking when he first met Bella and what he fruitlessly tried to achieve when he followed her. Now, not even a year after mysteriously returning—a reason he still hadn’t shared with his brothers—he had an imprint and a baby on the way. It made sense why he pushed all the way down on the gas to jumpstart his new life. 

 

And Paul had jumped at the chance to help. 

 

“Has she seen it yet?” Maya asked, turning to look at him as she ascended the porch steps, her eyes bright and wide and eager. Paul’s heart stuttered in his chest and he let go of her hand to grip her ribcage and hold her in place before him. She was just a little taller than him standing on the second porch step and he stepped forward to close the small gap between them to kiss her. She responded instantly, arching her back and pressing into him, her arms coming up to rest over his shoulders. Paul felt that sensation of being grounded firmly to the earth, that swell and release of joy as he pressed her just a little closer and gently squeezed her ribcage beneath his large hands. He felt invigorated and clear, like the brightness was turned up on his entire world. When he released her, she steadied herself against his chest, laying her palms flat against his pecks. 

 

He gave her an awry smile, “Not quite yet,” he said. “But Jacob wanted to get as much done as possible before the big reveal. We’re way ahead of schedule. But I—,” he paused, watching her carefully, not sure how to proceed, “I wanted to tell you something.” 

 

She raised her eyebrow and looked at him curiously, humor etched plainly across her face. “Oh?” she offered and he couldn’t help but let out a short laugh. 

 

“Yeah, uh,” he began looking away and then feeling the need to stare at her again. “I took some time off from completing commissions this spring. Kind of like a hiatus, so I could help Jacob do this. I haven’t been working at all,” he admitted. For some reason, Paul had felt too nervous to tell Maya this at the beginning of her semester. Her eyes were wide again, but Paul couldn’t place the emotion. Was she disappointed? He hurriedly carried on, “It’s not a big deal really. It gave me more time to work on some side projects in town, make the council happy without having to impregnate my girlfriend,” Maya laughed at that, a tinge of annoyance on the end of that sparkling sound, “It doesn’t really cut into us at all though, if that’s what you’re worried about.” 

 

“Paul,” Maya said again, bringing her hand to his cheek. There was that look he loved so much from her. Pure adoration. If it was the work of the imprint, he didn’t care. He just wanted Maya to keep looking at him like that for the rest of his life. “This is amazing. You are amazing. For doing all of this?” she gestured around her as she stood still, held firmly in place by Paul’s hands. “Of course it’s okay. It’s more than okay. And I don’t care about it cutting into us, whatever that means.” She leaned forward and kissed him again, soft and sweet this time. “This is absolutely incredible and so are you.” 

 

He beamed at her and then pressed his forehead against hers—something he couldn’t do typically when she was standing next to him. 

 

“I just want to make sure I’m telling you these things,” he said, gently tucking some hair behind her ear. Maya’s face dropped momentarily and her eyes shot through with something unspoken. His interest piqued at that but he let it go when her face changed into one of pleased softness, “You’re a part of all these things and a part of me.” Something inside him thrummed with content. She slotted so easily against him, a perfect fit, molded to him and he ached for more. Later, he told himself. “Let me show you the rest,” he said as he took a step back and placed his hand around hers before pulling her up the rest of the short porch steps and to the front door. 

 


 

Hungry. That’s how Paul felt. Hungry to start this summer with Maya and spend as much time with her as possible. He was constantly surprised by the fact that their imprint was over a year old, and the length of their relationship almost the same. Paul was hungry to take the next step with Maya, but he was never sure what that next step was. He was worried about putting too much pressure on her. 

 

Their relationship was so different from those of the other imprints. His brother’s imprints were eager, overjoyed even to get married, settle down, and start their lives on the rez. Maya though…was a wild card. No imprint had ever traveled so far off the rez without their partner before Maya and Becks. But Becks was more tethered now with the baby due in just two short months. 

 

His Maya was determined to chase what she wanted and he loved that, admired it. Still, he wanted to make things even more solid, even if just to satiate that itch. She had been adamant that she wanted the same things as him—kids, marriage, their life together, she wanted it all. But the answer of when still hung in the air. He could be patient for all of those things, but he wanted to take at least one step toward that endgame this summer. When and what he did toward that goal was key though. 

 

Once they had returned from the walkthrough of Becks and Jacob’s new house, Maya had said she was going upstairs to take a nap, citing some residual jet lag and the late night she and Keye had had before that caused them to miss their flight. Paul had settled at the kitchen table with his laptop, touching base with Michael about re-establishing his project timelines in July and answering some emails in the meantime. But his eyes continued to stray to the darkened stairs. 

 

Hungry. 

 

Would he ever not feel that predestined pull toward her? The one that begged him to cover every inch of her in every inch of him? She’d been resting for a little over an hour at this point, but Paul’s hands were beginning to itch to touch her. Just to be near her. He’d felt a version of this feeling from the first moment he’d laid eyes on her at that bonfire. A tug, a sharp pull that cinched around his heart and squeezed and that kept his gaze focused on her at all times. It was terrifying if not a little exhausting at times. But when he’d relinquish his control and give into the pull, he was always rewarded by the imprint.

 

From the moment he had imprinted on Maya, he would listen to every change in her breathing, watch enraptured as the goosebumps sprouted on her arm when he touched her, and finally, when she had let him, he would watch her face devolve into pure bliss the first time he pressed into her. Nothing could top that sight. 

 

He glanced back to the half finished email and swallowed thickly. He could be patient. The rumbling of thunder sounded just off the beach and if Paul trained his ears, he could hear the soft patter of rainfall beginning down on the water. In just a few minutes, the rain began to fall in earnest, creating a soft thrum of noise within the house as it darkened outside. Paul ran a hand down his face and tried to refocus on the email in front of him. Something about refurbishing a mantel in an historic building in Chicago. But his mind was elsewhere. 

 

The time away from her this semester had almost been too much. He’d delayed getting a place in New York once Jacob had hurried his plans along on the house, and the time away from Maya had been nearly unbearable. 

 

Now, as he sat in the kitchen, listening to the rain, with her asleep just upstairs from him, he realized how ridiculous it was that he was anywhere other than beside her at this moment. He’d spent nearly four months without his imprint, he wasn’t going to waste any more time just sitting here when she was just upstairs. That was all he needed to convince himself to close his laptop and take the stairs two at a time before opening the door quietly and peering in. She was there, stretched out on his side of the bed with his t-shirt and some black sleep shorts on with just a knitted throw slung over her lower half. Her breathing came slow and easy. He entered the room, leaving the door barely cracked behind him before pulling off his shirt and sliding silently out of his jeans. 

 

He didn’t wake her as he climbed into bed beside her, pressing his chest up against her back and wrapping his arm around her stomach to gently tug and slot her against him. She breathed out a sweet sigh and Paul leaned down to kiss gently against her neck and shoulder for a moment. He’d let her sleep, but he wanted a moment to breathe in that heady soft aroma that was so distinctly her. 

 

He placed his lips at the crook of her neck and took some slow deep breaths, absently kissing and gently nipping at that delicate spot to revel in her. Maya made a soft sound, mingled with a sleepy groan that made him ache. Paul told himself he’d let her be after just a few more inhales, one more trail of soft kisses from her shoulder to behind her ear. But his control always slipped with Maya, especially when she began to roll her hips back against him. He let out a low groan in her ear when she pressed back against him and felt himself harden. Paul slipped his hand under the shirt that she wore and squeezed her waist. 

 

“You miss me?” she said barely above a whisper in that sleepy, sweet tone. Paul nipped at her shoulder in response and smiled against her ear. She hummed her appreciation and placed her hand over his as he stroked back and forth over her stomach. “I was napping you know,” she teased gently. 

 

“You’ve been napping for awhile,” he said, rolling her gently onto her back, “Plus, I have a better idea.” She was beaming up at him and that heart squeezing feeling pulsed through him again. She brought her hands up to cup either side of his face and he leaned down between them to kiss her softly, letting his hands knead the soft flesh on her hips as he slid his knee up between her thighs. She gifted him with a giggle that sent his heart racing and with a wide grin he dipped his head down to her neck again before swiftly pulling the shirt up and over her head. 

 

“Aaah,” he let out a satisfied sigh at the sight of her. Paul could hear her heart quicken and tried to slow his pace so that he could enjoy every moment with her before devouring her. He dove down to her breasts, pulling one tight nipple between his lips and teasing it with his tongue. The breathy moans he pulled from her were enough to send him, but he held tight to her, relishing in the stiff peaks her tits formed when he let each nipple go from his mouth with a pop. With one hand on her waist, he used his other hand to pull the sleep shorts down her legs and flung them off the bed. He knew she’d be wet before he even dipped his index finger inside her and swiped along her seam, causing her to whimper. Internally, he growled. Whenever she made that sweet, simple whimper his mind darkened and he clutched onto the edge of his control. 

 

Paul kissed along the line of her hips as she tangled her hands in his hair, begging him to go lower. But Paul was determined to take his time. With his hands grasped firmly on her waist and his lips pressing a line across the top of her delicate V, he propped himself up on his forearms to let his eyes cascade up and down her body. 

 

Maya’s chest heaved in anticipation, her eyes trained to his waiting for him to dive in, to pull her under, and press her into the mattress. But instead, Paul let his eyes trace across each line and soft curve of her body, over the swell of her breasts, to the dip at her collarbone, ending in a rich well at the base of her throat. Her mouth hung slack as she watched him, her finger tracing the line of his brow. 

 

This frustrating, sweet, eager, pliant, stubborn woman was his. His perfect little imprint splayed out just for him and still, Paul couldn’t help but be amazed each time she opened herself to him. The bond that tied them together tightened in his stomach and she squirmed in response. The things he would do to her, for her, were unending. He dipped his head to breathe in her scent again—it was intoxicating, making his brain fuzzy and loosening his control just enough. 

 

“Paul?” she breathed out. That wanton stare, her face flush with lust made him snap. 

 

In one sharp move, he wrenched her off the bed and flipped their positions so he was on his back and Maya was sitting straddled across his abs. Paul held tightly to her ass as he yanked her up and with a yelp, Maya settled over his face as she braced herself on the headboard. 

 

“Paul! What—” but her protest dissolved into a solid moan as Paul pulled her down firmly on his face and began to suck at her core, letting his tongue dart in and out of her opening before swiping up between her swollen petals and pressing on the bead of her clit. “Paul, I-I…” she stuttered and stopped, trying to lift her frame off of his face but he held her tightly. She whined in response to his continued assault between her legs and when she threw her head back to let the sound flow freely from her throat now, he knew he had her. With the flat of his palm, Paul gave a swift slap to her left ass cheek and she yelped in delight. After a few more flurried spanks, Maya took her cue and started to grind her hips over his face, deliciously riding him. Paul let out a groan of appreciation that vibrated through her and made her respond in kind. 

 

With another quick slap, Maya picked up her pace, her eyes closing as she clutched onto the bed frame. Paul let one hand travel up her torso and expertly pinched and pulled at one nipple. She was grinding faster, her breathing coming erratically and when she careened, her voice pitched high and her core tightened around his darting tongue, he felt a soft warmth flood over him as he sucked at all she gave him. 

 

She was still twitching and making soft, gasping moans as he lapped at her, but before she could deflate completely, he pulled her off of him and came down on top of her. Her eyes were half opened in slits of bliss as she smiled up at him. This was his favorite part. 

 

Paul pulled his briefs down enough to pull himself out and pressed into her opening. Maya’s mouth fell open in a silent moan as her eyes opened a little more to stare into his as he entered her. 

 

“Fuck,” he groaned as he slid neatly between her legs and pressed to his hilt in one fast snap of his hips. Maya sucked in a sharp breath at the sudden intrusion but stayed open and pliant. He watched the quick tension relax into eagerness. Paul started to pump easily, her channel slick from his workings earlier, and closed his eyes to let the sound of her stuttering small moans wash over him as he stretched her. 

 

Caught up in moments like this with Maya always seemed to bring Paul to a better version of himself. He felt the most like himself just like this with Maya. She had been right all those months ago when they had fought—they were very good at this. But it was more than just the physical bond between them. The imprint lit up every sensation, every heartstring and every deep stirring desire and he wanted it all with her. 

 

He was rocking into her faster now and leaned his head forward to press his forehead to hers. She held onto the back of his neck, her legs wrapped up around his hips as he rubbed his hand up and down her thigh, slamming into her. 

 

“N-nee-need you d-deeper,” she huffed. Oh, she knew what she was doing to him. Paul let that mischievous grin stretch across his face and the little smirk she returned did him in. 

 

“Uh huh, I just bet baby. You’re taking me so good like this though, you sure you want more?” he said. Paul knew when he took her from behind that it felt almost too intense for her. Still, she nodded sweetly, toying with a look of feigned innocence that had him leaning down to bite her bottom lip that she puckered out at him. “If you insist,” he growled before quickly pulling out to her startled gasp, and turning her onto her stomach quickly. 

 

He fully removed his briefs now and sat up on his knees behind her. He laid another harsh slap to her ass before grabbing her hips and snapping them up to meet his. 

 

“Spread wide for me, baby,” he coaxed her as he rubbed his hand over the red print he left on her cheek. Maya let out a quick breath before letting her knees slide wide on the bed. Paul rubbed the globes of her ass before firmly planting his hands on her hips. He stroked along her slit with the head of his cock, pulling it up between her ass and then back down to her weeping opening. Maya’s breathing picked up in anticipation and when Paul slipped back inside of her, he couldn’t help himself from groaning, “Good girl,” as she let out a low whine and clutched the sheets. 

 

So much for taking his time. Paul sank into her and let out a sharp breath when he bottomed out. Maya was breathing fast now, but her stillness as she adjusted to him turned into an eager rocking of her hips as she moved over him. Paul let his hands rest lightly on her hips and watched as she took all of him in. The feeling of her clenching around him was beginning to be too much already and when he was this deep, all he could think about was making a mess inside of her. Still, he held onto his control for as long as he could, letting her bob up and down on his length. When his resolve finally snapped, he gripped her hips tightly to still her before he began to snap his hips roughly against hers. Maya’s small moans ballooned into wails as she cinched and shuddered around him. She was spiraling and he wasn’t far behind. With a few more quick slaps against her hips Paul buried himself as deep as he could and spilled inside of her. His entire body sagged with relief and bliss as she sank down onto the bed. His cock sprang free of her and he watched with satisfaction as he dripped out of her. 

 

Wanting to savor this moment, he lowered himself over her back, making sure to prop himself up on his elbows so as not to put too much of his weight on her, before pressing himself back into her. She groaned in what he could only ascertain as weak protest but with a peppering of kisses across her shoulders she quieted. 

 

She wiggled a little beneath him, overstimulated and feeling his cock twitch in her, but she knew to let him stay inside. Paul would absently thrust into her every so often to coax one of her sweet moans from her, but mostly he just reveled in the sensation of keeping her stuffed full, of her soft body beneath his. 

 


 

A little while later, they were wrapped in each other, the low light of the afternoon filtering around the storm clouds that continued to gently rain outside. Paul was just beginning to drift off when he heard her:

 

“I want to tell you things too,” She murmured in the deepening dark. 

 

“Mmm?” he responded sleepily. Paul could hear Maya’s heart beat faster in her chest now. She rolled onto her stomach next to him, placing a hand on his chest. 

 

“That night when I was at the infirmary and said I had strep?” Maya began. Paul looked at her confused, not entirely sure where this was going. When he didn’t respond she continued, tucking her hair behind her ear, “I thought I was pregnant. So I went to the campus infirmary to get a test.” Paul breathed in deeply, keeping his eyes focused on her. Why didn’t she say anything? As if answering his silent question, Maya said, “At first, I thought it was nothing and then I really wanted it to be nothing. And if I told you before I knew for certain, I know there would be nothing in the world that would stop you from getting to me.” 

 

For a moment, the image of Maya being pregnant washed over Paul and he got lost in the quiet joy that flooded his chest. She would look so beautiful—round belly and warm cheeks as she smiled at him with that overwhelming look of happiness that he knew only he made her feel, that the bond made her feel. He itched to see her that way, full with his child and ready to take on their future together and start a family. He could see it so clearly, how the ring he’d bought her would glitter on her left hand as she placed it on the top of her swollen stomach and hummed sweetly hoping their baby could hear her. 

 

But he knew she wasn’t ready. Not yet. And he could wait because that future held so much promise for them. It would still be there when they were ready. So, he let that image of Maya slip from him as his eyes refocused on the beautiful, naked, young woman propped up on his side.  

 

“What?” She smoothed her hand over his chest and he let his look morph into one of light amusement. 

 

“Nothing. Strep, huh?” he teased. Maya rolled her eyes and leaned down to kiss his chest. A nervousness overtook her now and Paul stroked her arm as he waited for her to speak. 

 

“And I was late and overslept because Keye and I went out. I just felt like I needed to…feel like me and not quite so…well,” she ducked her head and looked back up at him. He was watching her carefully, a measured look of calmness on his face and Maya felt the need to tread softly. “We slept over at Noah’s.” 

 

His jaw ticked dangerously and Maya hurriedly continued, “Nothing happened. Nothing will ever, ever happen…. But—” 

 

Paul sucked in a sharp breath, his eyes darkening with that visceral anger she only saw once before right before he phased in front of her for the first time. Still, she was in it now and she pressed on because she had to tell him. Maya laid her hand flat on his chest and pressed against the rising heartbeat.

 

“We all fell asleep in bed together. Totally innocent, we just passed out, but I just wanted to tell you so—”

 

“So it didn’t come up later? Or slip out when Keye is just having a good time and pokes fun at my girlfriend sleeping in bed with another guy in front of everyone?” He was getting mad, and could feel the heat rising in his chest. 

 

“Paul, this isn’t a big deal,” Maya breathed. Oh, that was the wrong thing to say. His nostrils flared and he sat up in bed quickly bucking her back and causing her to sit up on her knees facing him, still naked. She hastily grabbed a pillow and held it against her. 

 

“No, Maya, it’s not a big fucking deal to you. But it is to me,” he ran a hand through his tangled hair and shook his head trying to clear it. “He’s into you.”

 

“So?” Maya said. 

 

“You’re mine!” Paul snapped. Maya jumped at the sound but then her eyes narrowed, slowly simmering with anger. 

 

“It’s not like anything would ever happen Paul, it was an accident, we fell asleep! You’re being crazy about this,” Maya’s voice was raising now too. Paul was grateful that Jacob and Becks weren’t here for once because he was fuming. 

 

“Maya, I need you to operate with a little more common fucking sense, especially when I’m not around. Because—”

 

“Nothing. Fucking. Happened!” 

 

“Listen to me,” he said through gritted teeth. Maya rolled her eyes and placed her hand to her forehead. “You need to be more careful and more fucking respectful—”

 

“Respectful?!” Maya interrupted, a look of amused shock on her face. Paul kept going though.

 

“Yes, respectful of this imprint, of this bond, of our fucking relationship! We are in a relationship, Maya, unless you forgot.” He held up his hand to display the ring on his finger that she had given him at Christmas. 

 

“I know we are! For fuck’s sake, Paul. It was an accident, it wasn’t like I was begging to get into bed with him just to piss you off. We were drunk, we were tired, we passed out, that’s it. What was I supposed to do? Sleep on the floor?” 

 

“You were supposed to go home. To your dorm. Anywhere but a guy’s bed who is very much into you and makes it known, Maya.” Paul was furious. 

 

“You’re overreacting. How am I supposed to tell you stuff if you react like this?” Maya accused.  

 

“God. Grow up, Maya.” He said, shaking his head and getting out of bed to pull on some sweats. Maya made a strangled noise in her throat and stood up on her knees letting the pillow drop from her body. 

 

“Grow up!? Me!? Fuck you, Paul! You grow up!” she shouted. Paul was looking at her sideways by the door as he pulled on a shirt. Even now, he felt distracted by the curve of her body, the shape of her mouth. The hold she had on him was equal parts wonderful and terrifying. He chuckled, annoyed and shook his head. 

 

“Jesus, maybe I should have gotten you pregnant. Might have tempered whatever rebellious teenage bullshit this is,” he motioned to her with a vague wave of his hand and even as the words came out of his mouth, he knew they were wrong. They tasted bitter and made him swallow thickly.

 

Maya’s face was crestfallen, temporarily suspended in disbelief before it switched to one of sweeping anger. Paul set his mouth in a hard line and when she let out a shout that sounded like a growl and chucked the pillow across the room at him, he ignored it and stomped down the stairs. 

 

One more minute and he was out the door and into the cool night air. Paul didn’t want to phase and let his thoughts that were currently running rampant flood his brothers’ minds. So instead, he hurried over to his forerunner and piled inside before slamming the door with more force than was necessary. 

 

As he drove away from their home, his hands tightened on the steering wheel and regret poured over him. 

 

“Fuck me!” he yelled to no one as he coasted toward the highway in the dark. 



Chapter 45: Yours isn't the only way

Chapter Text

It’s easy to be a better version of yourself when the path is clear in front of you. But for most people, you’re never really sure where you’re heading. Or your direction suddenly changes course and you’ve ended up in a completely different place than where you originally intended. You think light will help you see, a compass will keep you straight, and confidence will help keep you moving. But the light just shows more cracks along the way, and your compass turns out to be nothing more than crudely drawn arrows on your palm. And that confidence? Evaporated before the morning dew. Suddenly there are more shadows flitting in and out of your periphery in the trees and the path you thought you were on is not a path at all, just grass and twigs patched over in haphazard patterns from the chaos and misdirection of so many others before. So where do I go from here? 


Maya woke in the late morning light alone. She turned her head to look at the empty spot where Paul usually occupied and ran her hand across the flat sheets. Last night had been one of their least shiny moments to date, she had to admit. Maya replayed the look on his face as he turned to leave and swallowed hard. 

Bad. It had been all around bad. She let out a sigh that turned into a loud groan as she laid on her back and stared up at the ceiling. He hadn’t come home last night, and after absently checking her phone, she noticed he hadn’t texted her either. 

“Definitely mad,” she whispered aloud to herself as she rubbed her forehead. Sometime after Paul had stormed out, Maya had tired herself out pacing in anger. The anger had ebbed but the sour feeling at leaving something unresolved. Maya sat up and tied her hair back with the loose hair tie on her wrist before scooping Paul’s shirt off the floor and tugging it onto her body. She snatched her phone off the bed and headed downstairs to make some coffee, trying to sort out how she was going to fix all of this. 

The worst part of it all was that she didn’t fully understand why Paul was this mad. Sure, maybe Noah was into her, but did he really trust her that little to think that she would mess around? Maya pursed her lips as she watched the coffee pot slowly fill. Instead of waiting for her own mind to formulate some answer, she picked up her phone and navigated through her contacts. 

The phone rang a few times before she heard the groggy answer on the other line:

“What now?” Keye groaned. 

“What did you mean when you said I know what I do to guys? Including Paul?” Maya said quickly, her eyes trained to one specific spot on the backsplash above the kitchen sink. 

“My, it’s like 8 in the morning,” Keye yawned halfway through her sentence and when Maya didn’t answer, she sighed, “Uuugh, My I don’t know okay? I was hungover as fuck. Still am, what the hell did we even do!?”

“Keye.” Maya said. “You said I wouldn’t have done half the shit I did if Paul was there. What did you mean? Did I do something with Noah that I blacked out? Should I feel worse about this?” She asked seriously.

“No. Maya, you really shouldn’t. I said that because you were your same normal you and there’s nothing wrong with that. Were you flirty as fuck? Hell yes. Did you cross a line? Not in my opinion. But if Paul had been there he might have ripped Noah’s throat out.”

Maya squeaked a little in aggravation, pulling a coffee mug down and filling it to the brim. 

“Yeah, you’re going to have to squash that shit quick if you don’t want Paul’s possessiveness to run your relationship, babe” Keye said. Maya scrunched up her face at that. “Just saying.” Keye responded through a yawn as if she could see Maya’s face. 

“He’s on edge.” she replied tersely. 

“They’re always on fucking edge,” Keye quipped. Maya snorted a laugh before taking a sip of her coffee. “Set him straight, My. Remember when Becks was dating Tommy Saban? And he told her they weren’t going to the summer revival dance unless she promised to blow him after?” 

“So fucking gross,” Maya said under her breath. 

“Yeah. So she took him to the lookout point and got him caught with his pants down in front of the entire girls swim team.” Keye was laughing now. 

“She’s such a bad bitch,” Maya said with a smile. She missed her—her Becks. They had only had short phone conversations this spring as they had both focused on their finals—Becks being doubly preoccupied managing her pregnancy and Jacob’s helicoptering. 

“She really is. Point is, as much as you think Paul might be the one steering the ship, it’s actually you babe. I meant it when I said when all of this shit started that it’s terrifying the things he’ll do for you. Make him remember that.” Keye concluded. Maya sighed and rubbed her forehead. 

“You’re right,” she breathed. “He freaked out about this Noah shit and I just…Ugh, why are we so fucking out of sync all the time?” She knew the answer but didn’t want to voice it. 

“The distance thing really does seem to fuck with the imprint. Keeps Paul on edge more, plus he’s got that wicked anger from his past. Nothing you can’t handle, babe. Just make sure you do,” Keye continued after a breath, “Handle it.” 

Maya nodded and quickly said goodbye before pulling up Paul’s location on her phone. Ten minutes later, she was parked in front of Becks’ and Jacob’s brand new home. They were due to come in this afternoon and Maya was sure Jacob was eager to show her the progress on the house. 

Maya hopped down from her Jeep and shut the driver side door with a clack. She ran a hand through her roughly brushed out hair and took a deep breath before heading into the house. Most of the pack was there working as Jacob and Becks were due back that afternoon. She passed Colin who was working on the landscaping in the front yard. 

“Well, well, well, look who decided to show up,” he teased with a warm smile on his face. Maya rolled her eyes and gently nudged his shoulder as she walked by and into the house. 

Paul was in the backyard sanding cabinets down. He was shirtless and had his white t-shirt slung over his shoulder.

“Can I talk to you?” Maya asked, slipping her hands into her back pockets. Paul didn’t look at her but took out a rag to wipe the residual sawdust off. Maya sighed and looked down at her feet, “Paul, come on. This is so stupid,” she tried to keep the annoyed edge out of her voice. If she was going to apologize, she needed to do this right. 

“No, Maya. What you did was stupid,” he said nonchalantly, carrying on with his work and not meeting her eyes. Maya shut her eyes tightly and took a deep breath. 

“Stop.” she said firmly before opening her eyes and looking at Paul. Even now when she was so annoyed with him for the things he had said to her last night before taking off, she couldn’t help but be pulled to him. The hard lines of his body made Maya’s eyes race over each peck, each perfectly formed muscle. He was as beautiful as he was infuriatingly stubborn.

Paul stopped what he was doing as if subtly commanded to and his face fixed into a deep frown as he turned to look at her, pulling the gloves from his hands. 

“I’m sorry that what I did hurt you, Paul. But, it was also an accident, a mistake. I am allowed to make those mistakes. Just like you’re allowed to,” she said knowingly. Maya knew she could bring up the stuff with Rachel and all the ways he had hurt her too, but she wouldn’t. Instead, she took a step toward him, closing the distance as she placed a hand on his bare chest and gazed up at him. Paul pulled in a stiff breath and kept his lips pursed in a firm line. Maya had to stifle a giggle at his determination to be mad when he was clearly crumbling, “But I am very sorry that I hurt you. Very, very sorry Paul.” Maya said, her voice cracking lightly. That caught his attention and his eyes immediately darted to her mouth, “I’ve been looking forward to this summer with you. Please….please let’s not start it this way,” she pleaded with a small smile on her face as she watched his face morph into one of softness. She cupped his cheek in her other hand and he leaned into it slightly, unable to stop himself from wrapping an arm around her back and tugging her closer to him. 

After a beat, he said, “I’m sorry I freaked out. I didn’t mean to and the shit I said…” he sighed clearly irritated with himself, “Aside from those idiots in there,” he gestured with his glove toward the house where raucous laughter was booming out from the back door, “You are the only thing that matters to me. This shit is intense and you being so far away is…I don’t know, we don’t have to talk about all of that now, I just missed you and I freaked out. I’m sorry, too.” He conceded and Maya beamed now and he brought his face down to kiss her forehead. 

“Okay.” She let out a small laugh as he let her hand rub lightly across his jaw and rest at the nape of his neck. “Wow, it’s really that easy to get you to cave, huh?” He threaded his arm around her back and pulled her flush against his chest before lowering his lips down and hovering them teasingly across hers before saying in a low, gentle voice.

“But you have tell them,” his eyes were alight with mischief as they danced around her face watching her confusion tick into suspicion. 

“Tell them? Tell them what?” Maya asked, confused, her heart hammering in her chest in anticipation for Paul to seal his kiss. His other hand rubbed along her forearm that she had draped over his shoulder sending goosebumps down her arm. 

“I’m not going to be able to keep this to myself on rounds, so you tell them,” Paul said, nodding and brushing his nose against hers. Maya’s eyes went wide in annoyance.

“Unbeliev—,” she squeaked out before Paul brought his lips crashing down on hers and swallowed the rest of the word up in an earth shattering kiss that made her dizzy. Maya couldn’t help a soft moan from escaping her mouth and spreading into his as he anchored her so firmly, so confidently against him before pulling his mouth softly off of hers and then kissing her once more gently, with a featherlight touch that took her off guard for the size and strength of the this man that held her heart. When he finally stood straight and let her move from his grasp a little she narrowed her eyes. He gave her butt a couple of playful pats as she settled more firmly onto her feet and grabbed his safety glasses off the table before turning back to his work.

Maya groaned and rolled her eyes before she pulled out of his grasp completely to walk back toward the back screen door. She looked over her shoulder and shot back:

“You’re raking me over the coals because you’re embarrassed? Really?!” A small smile played at Paul’s lips and she could feel the heat rise to her face. “You’re an asshole,” she said before turning back toward the house and stomping up the back porch steps. 

“Hey!” she yelled as she crossed the threshold and clattered down the hallway. “Can you guys come here please?” She yelled. Quil was hand sanding the stair railing and looked at her with confused worry. 

“Everything okay?” he asked, glancing around her to see Paul still in the backyard, getting back to his sanding. 

“Yes,” Maya said between gritted teeth. “Hello?! Wolfpack!? I need all of you down here in the living room! For a very important announcement. NOW. ” Her eye ticked in annoyance as she waited for them all to gather around her in the wide and empty living room. She stood by the bay window and even with most of them in the room, it felt close to bursting from their massive bodies. 

“What’s up? You okay?” Seth asked. Jared crossed his arms and waited expectantly. The only ones not there were Jacob and Sam and Jeremy. 

“Everything’s fine,” Maya said trying to relax her jaw, “Paul wants me to tell you all why I was late. Because he doesn’t want you to find out from him.” The wolves glanced at each other with confused looks on their face but Jared smirked and shook his head. He’d known Paul the longest in the pack, next to Sam. 

“Okay,” Embry said slowly. “Why were you late?” Maya took a deep breath and rolled her eyes. 

“Keye came out to New York on my last night and we went out with a bunch of people from my cohort. One friend in particular, Noah, who Paul does not like and says is very much ‘into me’ also came. We got really drunk. Like really drunk,” Maya said. Seth’s eyes went wide at this expecting the worst but she pushed ahead. This was so stupid, “And Keye and I got so drunk that I guess we decided to spend the night at Noah’s.” 

A few of them blew out low whistles. Jared let out a short barking laugh and Maya bristled a little. “Nothing. Happened.” She snapped, “We all fell asleep and I woke up at 9 the next morning and missed my flight. That’s IT. Totally innocent.”

The pack collective nodded at one another, some stared at their feet, and some mumbled in mild confusion as Maya looked around the group. 

“Any questions?” she snapped again, daring one of them to say something. The wolves looked around at one another again, their faces reserved, uncertain until—

They all burst into booming laughter, throwing their heads back in absolute glee. Maya’s eyes went wide in surprise and then she clenched her jaw. Jared clutched his stomach and Collin, Embry, Brady, and Quil were buckling over and bumping into one another in their shared glee. Maya let out a huff of annoyance waiting for them to calm down. Seth was covering his eyes and leaning against the banister trying to get it together. 

“Damn, didn’t realize you were such a stone cold player,” Collin wheezed with laughter. 

“Yeah, who said you could be such a heartbreaker with your “platonic” sleepovers?” Quil emphasized the word platonic before continuing to buckle over. 

“Out of all the things you could have done,” Jared managed, “You chose a sleepover with some math nerd and your best friend to tell us about?” Jared howled with laughter, clutching his stomach. 

“We knew you liked to push Paul’s buttons, but this..this Maya,” Embry shook as tried to stifle his giggling, “Is a new height for you,” he chastised sarcastically. Maya was clenching her fists at her sides and the heat was slowly rising to her face. 

“How could you?” Seth said, shaking his head in mock seriousness as tears of laughter twinkled in his eyes before Brady bumped into him. 

“Watch out everyone, we got a baddie out here breaking hearts and taking names,” Collin quipped. Maya was starting to bristle. 

“Okay, it’s not that fucking funny,” she quipped, but that only set them alight into new fits of laughter. Maya’s eyes widened, her annoyance starting to brim dangerously close to anger and she swatted at Quil who stumbled as he wiped tears from his eyes. 

“Alright, that’s enough,” a warm voice sounded from the back of the house and Maya could see Paul leaning against the doorframe of the back door with his arms crossed over his chest. His shoulders were shaking gently in laughter and Maya warmed at the sight. The pack dispersed, still tittering with laughter. Seth patted her shoulder as he walked past and got back to work to sanding and staining the bannister. Maya’s eyes were glued to Paul as he watched her wiping his hands off with a damp towel. He smiled at her softly and it sent her heart hammering in her chest again. She tried to hold back her smile but it broke through anyway and she shook her head at him. 

“I love you,” she mouthed at him. 

“Love you too,” he mouthed back. 

“Asshole,” she mouthed. Paul closed his eyes in gentle laughter before nodding his head and turning around to walk back to his project, giving her a wave over his shoulder. Maya rolled her eyes and turned around. There was enough to get done today without her sticking around for more ribbing from the pack anyway. 

“Bye, Seth,” she waved and he waved back. Just as Maya clomped down the front porch stairs, she nearly ran into Emily who was heading up the pathway. 

“Oh, Maya!” Emily’s eyes brightened with surprise as she juggled the bags of food. Maya immediately grabbed two off of her shoulder and heaved them onto her own. “Thanks,” Emily breathed a sigh of relief. “Here, come set these down,” she said as she walked into the house and toward the kitchen. Maya deposited the bags on the counter and started unpacking. “Thought I’d bring the boys some lunch since they’re almost done.” Maya nodded and started laying out sandwiches on the paper plates she brought. 

“Oh, that reminds me!” she said turning and starting to fill up cups with lemonade, “Becks’ baby shower.” 

“Oh,” Maya halted and went wide-eyed in surprise. “I…didn’t even think about that.” She felt the heat of embarrassment creeping up her neck as she internally berated herself for not even thinking about throwing her best friend a baby shower. 

“It’s okay,” Emily waved her hand, “We’ve still got time. She’s not due until July, but I’m thinking we should throw it as a surprise?” Maya nodded a little more enthusiastically. 

“Absolutely. Here?” 

“Yeah, I think she’d like that. So how about the end of May? Does the 25th sound okay to you?” Emily asked nonchalantly as she passed a plate to Embry piled high with two sandwiches, chips, quinoa salad, and some chopped vegetables. 

“Yeah, a week should be good to put something together for her. Thanks, Em,” Maya said, taking a bite of a chip. 

“Good. You okay?” she asked in that softly maternal, non-intrusive tone of hers. It made Maya warm just hearing it. 

“Absolutely,” she replied on an exhale. “Just getting back into the swing of things,” Maya motioned around herself and Emily let out a small laugh. 

“I’m sure it’s a pretty sharp contrast to what you’ve been used to, but we’re glad to have you home,” she said as she came around the counter to envelope her in a hug. Maya relaxed into it and hugged her back. 

“It’s fine really. I’m happy to be home. It just always just takes a second to adjust,” Maya laid her head on Emily’s shoulder as she gave her an extra squeeze before releasing her. Emily put both of her small hands on Maya’s cheek and beamed at her. 

“You’re doing something none of us have ever done. It’s bound to have its ups and downs. You’ll figure it out,” Emily said before dropping her hands from Maya’s face. Maya let out a slow breath before nodding. “And for everything else, we’ve got you. Anywho, I’ll send you a list of some party ideas and we can divvy up some tasks, gather decorations, all that good stuff, yeah?” 

“Sure thing, I’ll make a group chat.”

“Oh, perfect!” Emily said as if she hadn’t thought of that just yet. Maya already pulled out her phone and quickly added Keye, Kim, Sadie, and Emily before shooting a text to them. 

With another quick goodbye and a wave, Maya was out the door and feeling a little lighter than she had coming in. Becks and Jacob would be back in a matter of hours and Maya still had a lot to do prior to their homecoming. And now with the baby shower to plan, she was already beginning to feel a little bit back to normal. 


“Are we almost there?” Becks said, trying to tame the excitement in her voice. Jacob laughed lightly next to her in the driver's seat. 

“Almost, honey,” he replied. Becks felt them pull off from the smooth concrete highway to a somewhat bumpier dirt road. 

“Okay, good. Because I have gotta pee,” she smiled and touched the makeshift blindfold covering her eyes as she heard him chuckle warmly in response. She let her hand fall to rest absently on top of her stomach. Becks was rounding out seven months and felt it. Her doctor in Chicago had been pleased with her progress throughout the semester, tracking the baby at a little bit larger than usual into her third trimester, but overall she had managed it well. 

There were a couple of times during this spring semester that her doctor had told her to minimize her stress as much as she could, but with being pregnant, away from home, and dealing with school, that was a long shot. Jacob had increased his time out in Chicago after Becks had laughed over the phone about her doctor’s recommendation. He had already been out there a ton—staying three out of the five days usually—but by the end of the semester, he was only checking in at the rez every couple of days and not straying too far. 

Becks didn’t want to admit it, but it had helped having him there and having a place to go that wasn’t her dorm. Her roommate had been less than pleased to find out she’d be sharing a room with a pregnant teen this semester—something about cramping her style or head game Becks thought. When she’d left in January, she was determined to do this as much on her own as she could. She understood that now that Jake had decided to take over his rightful role as alpha, his attention would need to be divided. 

But still, that didn’t stop Becks from calling him late at night just to hear his voice, or beaming from ear to ear and choking back a sob when he’d show up the next day to ferry her from class to the tiny apartment where he’d run her a bath and rub her feet and ask about her classes. He was just always there exactly when she needed him. 

The little apartment just off campus that Jacob had secured for them was perfect. By the time spring break had rolled around, Becks had decided to stay there pretty much full-time, enjoying the relative quiet and shorter trip to the bathroom it afforded her. 

The car rolled to a gentle stop and Becks couldn’t help but smile. “Ready?” Jacob said. She nodded enthusiastically and he popped open his drivers side door. The familiar smell of home washed over Becks momentarily, giving her goosebumps—evergreens, wet earth, a hint of salt, and warm pine. Jacob was there in a flash, opening her door and holding both of her arms as he helped her down from the car. Once on her feet, he wrapped his arm down around her back, and steered her slowly forward. 

Jacob had told her early on that he was building a home for both of them, but he’d kept the details pretty secret. Becks had been thrilled and overjoyed at the idea of a small little place to call their own. He’d told her she’d get to pick out some things once it was finished and had only asked her cryptically to choose between a few colors a couple of times. Whenever she tried to weasel more information out of him though, he’d just give her his signature megawatt small and lean down to kiss her, sweeping most of the worries from her mind and temporarily causing her head spin. 

“Soon,” he’d say, cupping her cheeks warmly between his large, soft hands. 

Now he’d positioned her ever so carefully on what Becks could feel was a stone walkway. Her breath hitched her throat in anticipation and she felt the baby shift inside her in response to her increased heart rate. 

“Okay,” Jacob breathed, positioning himself behind her, his hands on either side of her stomach. She could hear a hint of nervousness in his voice. “Welcome home, babe.” He pulled the blindfold off in one gentle moment and Becks’ eyes widened in surprise as she took in the sight. 

This was…not the little shack in the woods she was expecting. The big beautiful two story home could have been sparkling in the low light of the late May sun, wide windows stretching across whole swaths of the house. Becks gasped and took an automatic step forward, tears already welling in her eyes. 

“Jacob!” she managed to gasp out with a squeak. “How did you—? When did you—?!” She was at a loss for words. Every little detail was accounted for, the small stone pathway dotted with flowers and ferns and garden lights leading up to wide, flat steps to an expansive poured concrete porch. A giant porch swing hung off to the right, it’s deep seat the size of a nearly a full bed and padded with a large linen cushion that could have been mistaken for a mattress. 

The large bright wood door stood out beautifully against the dark blue of the home, with dark iron accents that matched the address numbers displayed next to the front door. The home was nestled nicely against the tree line, giving it a cozy, protected feel and Becks was overcome with just how beautiful it was. If the outside of the house looked this nice, she could only imagine how beautiful the inside would look. 

“It took a lot of time, but I had a lot of help,” he said softly behind her, encasing her in his arms and splaying his hands across her belly as he leaned down to kiss her cheek. Becks automatically raised her hand to cup his cheek, her eyes still glued to the sight before her as tears clearly streamed down her round cheeks. 

“Jacob, I–” she hiccuped and felt him gently rub his large hands soothingly across her belly. “This is so beautiful. No one has ever done anything close to something like this for me before.” 

“I hope not, because I’d have to kick their butt,” he chuckled in her ear, that warm pleasing laugh that set her heart stuttering again. 

“You built me a house,” she said breathless, her eyes still roving over the place she’d get to call home from now on. 

“I did,” he said casually. “It was the least I could do, considering you’re building me a baby.” He stooped a little behind her to gather his hands underneath her belly and lifted gently, relieving some of the weight off of her lower back. Becks’ eyes fluttered closed momentarily and she let out an involuntary moan of relief before giggling. She loved it when he did that. 

“Do you want to see the rest?” he said low in her ear, making her shiver. She turned her head to meet his eyes, the warm chocolate brown of his irises instantly setting her at ease. Becks nodded slowly and he smiled before kissing the tip of her nose. “Come on then.” 

He led her forward, taking her hand and keeping his pace a little slower so she could keep up. Becks felt like a kid in a candy store. As she looked down at their joined hands, moving toward their house he had built for their family, she was nearly overcome. How had she gotten so lucky with destiny to be gifted this man (and this baby, even if the timing was a little off) so early in life? The imprint had been nothing short of a surprise, but she was so thankful for it everyday that she got to be with Jacob. And although she knew that some people around her thought she was giving up her dreams, Becks knew how she felt.

And there was nowhere else she’d rather be. 


 

Maya and Paul had driven up to Seattle so he could take care of a few things in jumpstarting timelines for projects he would pick up from his hiatus. Maya had also wanted to get a few things for the baby shower, seeing as the limited stock in Forks and even Port Angeles wasn’t going to cut the party prowess she was going for. 

They had arrived at the Bellevue shopping center around four and Maya had split off from Paul to go to a little baby boutique in search of the perfect gift for Becks. Paul had cited needing to talk to a shop owner here about some pieces he had commissioned and Maya had nodded distractedly before bounding off in search of the shop. 

Now as she rounded the inside of the little shop for the tenth, filled with unique toys and gorgeous handwoven blankets, she smiled. It was all starting to feel real—this baby she means—and the thought didn’t even terrify her anymore. 

When Becks and Jacob had showed up that evening after visiting the house, Becks had been absolutely aglow with excitement. Maya had squeezed her a tight hug before kneeling down to hug around her belly, squishing her cheek to the warm globe. Becks had laughed and Paul couldn’t wipe the smile off his face as he watched Maya. When she had finally stood back up, Becks began to gush about the house and Jacob and Maya swelled with so much happiness she felt like she would burst. They had spent the rest of the evening tucked on the couch, online shopping for furniture, bedding, and cozy pillows before Jacob had ushered her upstairs to finally get some rest. 

Maya scanned the back wall of the baby boutique store, trying to hone in on the exact right thing to get Becks. She was distracted to say the least with her hands on her hips and her eyes analyzing each and every item to determine if it screamed “Baby Becks” to her or not. 

Just as she got to the end of her initial scan of items, she took a haphazard step back, still distracted by her utter concentration and bumped into a hard body. 

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” Maya said gently, her eyes not fully connecting with the person she had bumped into before her eyes landed on the perfect bassinet. “Oh,” she said softly. The woman she bumped into waved her off politely and moved down onto another section, unperturbed and allowing Maya to fully indulge in the item before her.

The bassinet was a gorgeously woven basket affixed to sturdy, dark wood cherry legs. The basket was dark blue and white, woven with intricate patterns that reminded her of the quilts her mother made her growing up. The handles were expertly sown dark leather and the bassinet could easily be turned into a carrying basket if needed. 

“Perfect,” she said to herself with a wide smile. She knew Becks would love it and just as she went to lean down and grab the large box it came in, a warm hand snaked around her waist. Maya glanced up quickly and smiled at Paul. 

“Hey,” he said almost a little breathless, his shoulders tense.  

“Hey, look at this! Isn’t it perfect?” Maya pointed to the bassinet as Paul tugged her a little closer to him before looking at the bassinet and nodded his head.

“Yeah, it’s great. Are you ready?” his eyes darted around the store and Maya quirked an eyebrow at him. 

“You okay?” she said with a small laugh. Paul squeezed her hip gently and gave a weak smile. 

“Yeah, just ready to get you home,” he said softly. “You want to get that for her then?” he nodded to the bassinet.

“Yes! I have a few other things behind the counter already too,” Maya said with excitement. She wasn’t sure why he was so tense but it didn’t dampen her mood. He leaned forward to grab the box with one hand while slipping his other hand into hers. Paul tugged her toward the checkout counter, his eyes glancing around at the customers. Maya watched as he let his eyes rest on an infant in a stroller just ahead of them in line, a nervous grimace settling on his face. Maya swallowed a giggle and bit her lip. He looked positively blanched and uncomfortable. 

After checking out with a small fortune of baby gifts and decorations, Paul helped haul it to the car with Maya in tow. Safely tucked into the front seat, Paul shut his door and let out a long breath. 

“I’ve never seen you like that,” Maya teased. He looked over at her, his face confused before she continued, “Do babies make you nervous or something?” Maya let out a little laugh and Paul closed his eyes tight and grinned broadly before turning the key over in the ignition. He let out a relaxed laugh as they pulled onto the main road before saying:

“Yeah, I forgot to mention, kids actually freak me out a little,” he glanced over at her, his eyes twinkling with mischief, “The sticky hands and pudgy fingers and toes. All those rolls?” 

“Totally logical fear, I get it,” Maya said, nodding and looking out the window. Paul put a hand on Maya’s thigh and squeezed. She looked over at him and smiled. 

“Hey, how about we take a trip?” Paul suggested. 

“Hmm?” Maya’s eyes widened in excitement. 

“Yeah, you and me, off the rez for a little bit, and somewhere new. Just for a week and maybe around your birthday?” his smile was growing wide and warm. Maya’s heart fluttered. 

“Do you think that’d be okay? I mean Becks is due in July, that might be cutting it kind of close,” Maya pondered. Paul shook his head and continued:

“Becks will be fine and we’ll go in enough time so we won’t miss anything. What do you think? Just you and me?” he grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss. Maya nodded enthusiastically and gave an excited squeal. 

A week-long getaway for her birthday with the man of her dreams? Absolutely. Maya’s mind already began turning over with ideas of where they could reasonably go for a week and get as far away from the rez as possible. 

Maya loved her home, but she also loved the way her and Paul were more easily able to relax completely into the imprint when they weren’t there. Paul, always stressed with rounds, new threats, council demands, or helping guide his brothers was always a staple in their relationship. But outside of the rez, without the demands and the constant need to check in through the link, Paul was able to be more himself with Maya—the semi-stable, high-end carpenter that had plans and dreams and a life filled with love to lead.

The absence of Maya during the school year only laid bare how the stress of everything on the rez was taking its toll on him. Maya put her hand over his and squeezed it before smiling at him. 

“Just us,” she said softly. Because there wouldn’t always be a “just them” in the future. Whether it was their family, the pack, or whatever other demands destiny wrought upon them—Maya would forever lunge at the chance to seek some small aspect of normal in their increasingly abnormal life. Even just for a week. 


Maya was putting the finishing touches on the mantel as Becks finished getting ready upstairs with Keye when the doorbell rang. Excitedly, Maya bounded toward the front door of Becks and Jacob’s home, her long light off the shoulder blue sundress, dotted with white flowers and a dreamy slit edged with lace that ended mid thigh billowed out around her. When she pulled the heavy wooden door open, she beamed. Emily, her four beautiful children in tow, Kim, and Sadie greeted her happily. Emily touched the delicate baby’s breath carefully placed in Maya’s half updo and smiled. 

It was not long after that that the house was brimming and bustling with excited chatter from tons of friends and family mulling around the house and exclaiming at the woodwork as Becks proudly showed them around. 

The house was a little more furnished after Becks had settled into full on nesting mode. But Maya had made sure to bring over extra chairs and seating from the council meeting house since the rest of the furniture wouldn’t arrive before the baby shower. Maya had wonderfully decorated with cuttings from the ferns and evergreens that swathed the backyard in gloriously green filtered light. She hung simple streamers, hanging stars, and twinkle lights to give the home a cozy, bright feel. 

Before the pack had left for cliff diving that morning, at Maya’s direction, they had freshly tilled a fresh ring of dirt in the backyard and lined it carefully with garden rocks, driftwood, and a few garden lanterns. Maya had set out cartons of dahlia’s, wildflowers, poppies, and lilacs for guests to plant while they were there as a collective house/baby gift to Becks.

After a couple of hours, the gifts were piled high on the foyer table from the pack, Becks’ family, the council, and friends. Becks sat pride of place in the high backed rattan rocking chair Paul had made for her that week. Maya excused herself to the kitchen to put together more snacks and watched happily as Becks laughed with friends and family gathered around her, a hand placed lovingly over her stomach. After refilling snacks in the living room in front of Becks and making sure she had enough water, Maya took a break from the chaos in the open-facing kitchen and poured herself a glass of wine. 

She leaned against the kitchen counter watching the festivities unfold as a group of women popped celebratory poppers in the backyard to the delighted squeals of Emily’s kids, while others were crouched around the garden beds carefully planting the flowers. Keye sauntered in and hopped up on the counter before popping some blueberries into her mouth from a glass bowl.

“It’s wild huh?” Keye said. “Our best friend is about to have a baby. We’re still babies.” She said in a far off voice. Maya hummed her agreement and shook her head. 

“It’s bound to keep happening. I’ve found that the longer I worry about change happening, the faster it tends to come. It’s probably easier if we just,” she looked over her shoulder at Keye, “Roll with it.” 

Over the past week leading up to the baby shower, Maya couldn’t shake some sense of nervousness, like the other shoe was about to drop but there wasn’t anything to indicate something bad was actually about to happen. On the contrary, things were going exceedingly well. She’d spent a whole day with her mother off the reservation—something they hadn’t done in a long time together—and Maya had treated her to a shopping spree courtesy of Paul’s black card. They’d met up with her dad for dinner and things had felt more normal than they’d ever been, considering the previous rift. 

Maya and Paul had fallen back into a good rhythm, his mood evening out the longer she was there. Even his packmates–Seth in particular—had admitted to Maya how much happier Paul was just knowing she was back at home waiting for him after rounds. As much as she didn’t want to admit it, her proximity was intimately tied to Paul’s wellbeing. 

Each time he came home from rounds or deliveries or even just working out in his workshop in the backyard, he’d wrap Maya up in a warm hug, his large arms dwarfing her and making her feel delicate. He’d lower his head to his favorite spot in the crook of her neck and inhale, breathing her in. Or, he’d take a moment to kiss the top of her head and just hold her there as if he was still surprised she was standing in front of him. Maya would revel in these moments, placing both of her hands on the back of his neck and kiss from the side of his face to his neck, whispering lovingly into his ear. 

Still, something within her stayed on alert. She chalked it up to paranoia or the impending birth of her best friend’s baby that would change everything. But still, that nagging feeling wouldn’t dissipate. She took another sip of wine, her eyes flitting toward the sound of Becks’ twinkling laughter. She looked so happy—happier than maybe Maya had ever seen her. Her heart swelled with emotion just at the sight. How could she be anything but overwhelmingly happy for her best friend? Becks was the kindest, bravest, and sweetest person she knew. She deserved everything happy and right in this world that they shared. Maya made a mental note to never doubt her best friend ever again—no matter the situation. 

“How’s Jake been through all of this?” Miranda, one of Maya’s mother’s friends asked Becks in the living room. A group of them had been gathered around Becks sharing firstborn tips and advice for the past hour. Maya perked up at the question and walked over to stand just outside the circle of chairs, wine glass filling her hand.

Becks let out a happy sigh and closed her eyes for a moment, “He’s honestly been incredible.
I don’t know how I would have gotten through this semester without him,” she said to the “awws” and tuts of approval around her, “He was out there every week. He even rented a little apartment just outside of the city that I could stay at on the weekends and sometimes during the week when he was there. It was such a relief to get a break from campus sometimes.” 

“I’m surprised he was even willing to let you go in the first place,” Elder Mila interjected. Maya grimaced and quickly swallowed a gulp of wine. Becks smiled gently at Elder Mila before saying: 

“He respected what was important to me at the time…And we made it work. I honestly think he would have been out there with me more if his responsibilities here weren’t so important. But even since we got back to the rez, he’s been very attentive,” she laughed a little at this. “I can’t even reach up to get a glass in the cupboard without him reaching around me and getting it for me,” she joked. The women around her smiled as if remembering some similar memory they all shared, “Still, it’s very very sweet.” She ran a hand over her belly. “We’re lucky he’s ours.” Becks said to her stomach. 

“Gosh, I remember how Sam was with our first, too. He was everywhere all of the time. I thought he was going to have a heart attack every time I tried to climb the stairs by myself,” Emily giggled. Becks smiled so wide. 

“Exactly! I might as well be made of glass. Sometimes, he just scoops me up and carries me up the stairs anyway. Which, honestly, I do not mind the break for my feet,” Becks said sweetly. Maya smiled around her glass of wine. 

The party wound down naturally over the next hour or so and Maya and Keye began cleaning up just as the pack showed up. They descended on the leftover snacks, hoovering up the remaining sandwiches, meats and cheese, and fruit. They all smelled like damp earth and sea salt, their bodies already having evaporated all the moisture from swimming in the frigid waters off the coast.

Paul popped a grape into his mouth and patted Maya’s hip as Brady continued to regale them all with their cliff diving stories. Kim and Sadie were laughing as they took down some of the decorations and placed them neatly into a storage container. 

Becks sat at one of the high-backed stools facing the kitchen island as Maya washed off some dishes in the sink, handing them to Keye who slotted them into the new dishwasher. The room was buzzing with warmth and happiness and Maya watched as Jacob leaned down to kiss the side of Becks’ head and whisper something in her ear that made her smile, her eyes closed in delight. He wrapped his arms around her from behind and gently rubbed up and down her arms. They were the picture of happiness and Maya’s heart stuttered a little bit at it. 

“Can we open presents now?” Luca whined as he and his younger brother picked through the pile of presents on the low foyer table in the front hall. Emily shifted her youngest, Arlo, higher up on her hip. 

“Those are Aunt Becks’ presents, Luca. She’ll open them when she’s ready. We need to get home and start bedtime soon, anyway,” she chided. Sam sauntered over and scooped up the younger of the two into his arms as he squealed in delight. Luca let out a long whine in protest and Becks turned from her seat in the kitchen.

“How about I open just one and you get to pick it out?” she offered. Luca immediately brightened and set to work deciding on the best one. “Thank you so much again for putting this on for me,” Becks said. 

“Emily was the one who reminded me that this was something you do,” Maya admitted bashfully. 

“But you’re the one who put this whole thing together in under a week,” Emily replied. 

“Regardless, thank you all so much, this means the world and I just—,” Becks choked up a little and had to pause. Jacob was smiling and chuckled a little. He’d watched her mood swings up close and personal for the past 6 months so this was nothing new, “Sorry,” Becks said as she swallowed hard as Jacob wiped the tears from her cheeks. 

Maya couldn’t help but laugh a little and shake her head, “Of course, Becks. We love you. What are friends for, babe?” 

“This one!” Luca appeared next to Becks holding a carefully and beautifully wrapped gift. It was expertly wrapped with silver wrapping paper, embossed with intricate patterns that glittered as you rolled it in the light. The exquisitely soft ribbon was like silver liquid, cinched neatly around the package in a delicate bow. 

“Wow,” Becks said. 

“Who’s that from?” Maya was drying her hands off on a dish towel, her brow furrowed. She didn’t remember seeing such an expensive looking gift amongst the pile of homemade wrapping paper and bags overflowing with warm colored tissue paper. Paul was standing next to Maya, his hand on her lower back as he leaned on his elbow on the counter, his eyes also looking at the package curiously. 

“I dunno,” Becks said as she carefully unwrapped the gift. Jacob was just as curious as Becks at this point. Once the ribbon fell away, the package nearly unwrapped itself in one beautiful unsheathing motion. 

Becks opened the rectangular box to reveal a beautiful dark leather bound photo album, embossed with the gold lettering: The Black Family. Becks gasped. The leather album was beautiful and felt like butter in her hands. She ran her hand across the cover and carefully opened it. There was a small envelope tucked inside and Becks was quick to open it. 

“Who—” She began, but then she read the delicate lettering, inked in careful script:

“Congratulations. We’re so incredibly happy for you. In every stage of life, one often looks back before moving forward. 

See you soon.” 

The color instantly drained from Jacob’s face as he listened to Becks read the note, already knowing by the intricate family crest that graced the front of the card who it was from—The Cullens. His hand gripped the back of Becks’ chair so hard that he cracked the wood, causing Becks to jump and look at him with a concerned look. 

“What is it?” she said in a soft voice.

“No way,” Jared said, his voice tinged in anger. Jacob was trying very hard not to see red at this moment. The space around them suddenly felt too open, too exposed and Jacob wanted to shield Becks with his large frame. 

“Jacob,” she said, bringing a hand to his cheek. He had been looking at her the whole time but not focused on her face, a flash of sadness moved over his eyes before he snapped back to it, standing straight. 

“I did pick up a scent in Seattle earlier this week when Maya and I were there,” Paul said firmly, arms crossed over his chest. 

“What?” Maya replied incredulously. Paul glanced at her quickly, his face unreadable stone before training his eyes back to Jacob. 

“How many?” Jacob asked, between gritted teeth. Paul shrugged. 

“Hard to say considering how many people were around, but more than one I’d guess,” Paul confirmed. 

“Was that why you wanted to get out of there so quickly?” Maya asked, but Quil interjected over her: 

“Do you really think it’s them coming to town?” 

“Or moving back,” Embry stated. 

“They’ve barely been away long enough to have everyone forget them. It can’t just be because of Jacob can it?” Jared asked, confused. 

“The card doesn’t necessarily mean they’re coming back for good,” Maya said, her eyes glued to Becks who was staring down at the card again, her face a mask of confusion. 

“What exactly do you think ‘See you soon’ means?” Jacob’s voice was thick with sarcasm. Maya bristled at that but swallowed her angry retort. 

“It means maybe they just want to see you and Becks…and the baby,” A low growl sounded in Jacob’s chest. “You said they were friendly, right? And you were close to Bella—”

“That doesn’t mean they don’t want something from me! From all of us. And I get to choose who is a part of my family’s life. They’re not owed it,” Jacob’s voice rose and Maya turned to stone. 

“Hey,” Paul said, “Take it easy. Maya’s probably right. They’re probably just curious.” 

“They’re not setting foot near my family!” Jacob seethed now. Embry put a hand on his shoulder to help calm him but his breath was coming in fast now and Maya automatically took a step back. Paul took a small step in front of her instinctually.

“We won’t let them. You know that,” Paul said in a low, calm voice. Jacob shut his eyes tight and nodded before steadying himself. 

“I want to up our rounds, and pull round the clock watch on our perimeter until further notice,” Jacob said looking at each of his brothers. They all nodded as if they had a choice, but still they looked determined. Paul’s eyes met Maya’s and he looked tired. She gave him a sad, but reassuring smile and nodded at him. 

More rounds meant less time together for the foreseeable future and that was already enough of a hurdle during the school year. But she was home, so at least the physical distance wouldn’t affect Paul as much. At least she hoped. 

“Jacob,” Becks said gently. His mouth was set in a hard line and his eyes were almost black with anger. He cupped her face in his wide hands and swiped his thumbs across her cheeks. 

“I’ll keep you safe,” he said gently. She shook her head at him almost imperceptibly, but as she opened her mouth to speak, he looked over her head and at his packmates. “Jared, Quil, and Embry, can you take the northeast perimeter? Seth, take the others along the northwest. Paul,” he dropped his hands from Becks face and turned toward him, “Can you do a sweep of the south corners this evening? I’ll join you in about an hour,” he said firmly. 

Paul nodded curtly, “I want to get her home first, is that okay?” He nodded toward Maya. 

“Of course,” Jacob confirmed. “Come on, honey.” He said to Becks as he gently tugged her down out of the chair. Jared, Seth, and the others were confabbing with Sam as Emily rubbed her eyes tiredly and started shuffling her kids toward the door. Sadie and Kim kissed Becks on the cheek as Jacob walked her toward the stairs and waved sadly at Maya as they helped Emily out the door. 

“I don’t need an escort, babe. You can go,” Maya said as Paul blew out a low breath and took a step toward her. He wound his hands down onto her hips and tugged her close, pressing his chest against hers as he kissed her forehead. 

“Noted, let’s go,” he motioned toward the front door. 

“Keye, you coming?” Maya said as she looked over her shoulder. Keye was looking at her phone. 

“Nah, my presence has been requested here,” she pointed toward the stairs. “Baby watch.” Maya smiled tightly and said, 

“Call me if you need anything.” Paul shuffled her out the door and toward her Jeep. Maya went along with him, placing her hand over his that held tightly to her hip. He guided her protectively toward the car as if something would jump out at any moment and snatch her.  

Once she was safely tucked in the car and on the short 10-minute drive home, Maya broached the topic carefully: 

“Is this really bad? The Cullens coming back?” she said softly. Paul’s face looked worn and tired, his eyes trained to the road and darting at the tree line. 

“Depends,” he said cryptically. 

“On what?” Maya probed. 

“The last time they were here a war almost broke out. It depends on if they’re actually coming back and for how long,” he said slowly, “But that’s not even the worst part.” Maya waited patiently for him to continue, “More vampires in the area means the potential for more kids phasing.” His grip tightened on the steering wheel. “The need to protect the tribe will be triggered. And the last thing we need is more kids getting drawn into this and having their lives changed forever.” 

Maya could see the anger tensing his shoulders, the vein pulsing in his neck. “Let’s take it one step at a time,” Maya soothed. 

Paul pulled into their driveway soon after and shut the car off. He didn’t immediately get out though and Maya’s hand hesitated over the door handle as she looked over at him. 

“What is it?” she asked, a nervous tinge to her voice. 

“I need you to listen to me,” he said in a low voice. 

“What do you—” she began but he cut over her, turning sideways to look upon her full force. 

“I need you to listen to me when I ask you stay put or go to Emily’s or watch over Becks. I need to keep you safe and I can only do that if you listen to me,” he was nearly pleading with her, but the demand was clear in his tone. The fire was alight in his eyes and Maya’s mouth parted in subtle surprise. “Do you understand?” 

Maya watched him carefully for a moment. He looked…terrified. As if this was the first time he truly had something to lose. She nodded slowly. 

“Maya,” he said firmly, prompting her to answer. 

“Yes, babe, I hear you. I’ll listen,” she reached over and grabbed his hand. He squeezed her hand and nodded. 

“Let’s go inside, I’ll need to leave pretty quick but I want to make sure everything’s good before I go.” He popped open the door and Maya followed, bundling her dress up into her hand to help her quickly make her way to the front door. 

Once inside, he kissed the side of her head and said “Wait here” before he hurried off toward the backyard, flipping on lights as he went and glancing around as if an intruder would pop out from behind the couch. Maya blew out a breath and put her purse on the entryway table before pulling her phone out. 

A new text from Becks was waiting and Maya opened it, glancing up to make sure Paul was still preoccupied with his sweep of the house. 

From: Becks–7:42 p.m.
Are you on lockdown? 

From: Maya–7:55 p.m.
What do you think?

B: Jesus, I’m sorry. Jacob is being really intense about this. 

M: Paul said something about a war last time the Cullens were in town. Do you know anything about that? 

B: A war? No. He hasn’t mentioned anything.
But he’s really shaken up and I don’t want to push it.
Do you think Paul would let you come over tomorrow? 

M: Yeah, the protection around your place is probably going to be the highest anyway. I’ll ask, but we’re safest on the rez so I’m sure he’s not going to care. 

B: Thanks. I’m just…a little worried and wanted to run something by you. 

M:Sure. You okay? 

B: Yeah, absolutely, just would rather talk about it in person. Thank you for today though, it was amazing. 

M: You’re welcome babes. I’ll see you tomorrow. Tell Keye I said goodnight. 

Maya looked up as she heard Paul clamber down the stairs toward her. He reached around her and locked the front door. 

“All clear?” Maya teased. Paul gave her a firm look and pulled her closer. 

“Stay put tonight,” he reminded, brushing some hair away from her face. She nodded. 

“Got it. Hey, Becks just texted me and asked if I could come keep her company tomorrow. That’s okay, right?” she placed a hand on his chest and leaned forward to kiss her mouth softly before saying, 

“Of course. You can be over there as much as you want. I’ll swing by to take you in the morning.” 

“I think I can make it over there fine, Paul,” she said gently, but heaved a sigh when she saw the look on his face. 

“I’d feel better taking you,” the look in his eye told her it was easiest to just say yes. Plus, she knew she’d get limited time with him this week with the increased rounds, so any excuse to spend more time with him was worth it. 

“Fine, I’ll be ready by 9 tomorrow, okay?” she looped her arms up around his neck and he responded by dipping his head down to more easily connect his mouth with hers, flooding her nose with his warm, musky scent and making her squeeze her thighs together. When he pulled back, she said dreamily, “Can you stay for just 20 more minutes?” 

He raised his eyebrows and laughed, that half hooded look of lust in his eyes as well. “I wish I could, but I’m already late as it is. I would have loved to peel this little sundress off of you though.” His index finger traced under the thin spaghetti strap and pushed it down her arm to kiss along her shoulder. Maya huffed out a wanting breath. She could already feel the ache between her legs growing. But all too quickly, he stood straight and pushed a small millimeter of space between them. “I gotta go,” he said in a gruff tone. Maya whined and flopped her head onto his chest. “I’ll see you in the morning, baby.” he rubbed her back and kissed the top of her head before he took a step back and helped her stand up straight. “Remember—”

“Stay put, I got it Paul,” she groaned. He smiled and kissed her one last time before turning to leave out of the backdoor. Maya crossed her arms and watched him disappear down the dark path and into the forest. 

So much for getting back to normal. She thought. 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter 46: The temptation to be reckless

Chapter Text

I’ve made a lot of decisions in my life—some that most people would gawk at for being almost twenty. I chose to be with my soulmate at just eighteen. Well, he kind of chose me first. I chose to move across the country to attend a fancy school, something very few have done in my community. Well, I guess the school kind of chose me, but I did everything to get there at least. I chose my friends, the best people I could find, and I chose to be a part of my found family that is this pack. But, thinking about it now, I might have just been at the right place at the right time. Becks saw me sitting alone in second grade and asked if I wanted to draw butterflies with her. Keye tripped over my extended foot in middle school and called me an asshole. And the pack…they didn’t really have a choice whether to accept me or not and I guess neither did I. The choices I’ve made don’t really feel like choices at all—is that bad? 


“Jacob’s running you ragged,” Maya said softly, threading her hands through Paul’s messy hair and rubbing her nails gently across his scalp. She had no idea when the last time he had a haircut was. Paul was looking at her through half lids and dark bags hung prominently beneath his warm brown eyes. She ran her index finger lightly across them and he closed them completely, breathing out a sigh of contentment. 

“He’s panicked right now. If it were you, and I thought some bloodsuckers were coming to town specifically for you, I’d be crazy too. Probably worse actually,” he said in a muffled voice, his face half pressed into the pillow, eyes closed. Both of his arms were slotted underneath the pillow to cradle his head, making his biceps look massive in the low light.  

“Probably worse,” Maya echoed with a small smile as she leaned to kiss his shoulder, tracing absently across his face as his breath evened out again. She frowned. After months of being apart, they were now sidelined to this—Paul being too tired to do much of anything. 

This had been the cycle of the past two weeks: Paul would be out running rounds for 12+ hours, come home and snag a couple of hours of sleep, wake up and do it again or squeeze in some work or shuffle Maya to and from Becks’ or Keye’s or her parent’s house. They’d barely spoken, they’d barely touched, and their sex life had become non-existent. Paul was wound so tightly by the frantic mood of his brothers with the impending return of the Cullen’s that he could focus on little else. 

And Maya had tried. Boy, had she tried. She’d snuck into the shower only to have him chuckle gently, kiss the top of her head and step out having finished washing off quickly to get some sleep. She’d reached over the center console and stroked his thigh as they made their way to Becks, but he’d grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips to kiss. She’d made him dinner and made up the table, only to watch him scarf it down over the sink and promptly pass out on the couch. He had been stuck in a one-track mind for two weeks straight and she was getting tired of it. 

Maya hoped this intense game of running rounds for an enemy that might not even be coming wouldn’t last much longer. She was hoping beyond hope they would still be allowed to get off the reservation, just for a week together, to get some distance, like Paul had promised, but as the time ticked on with no indication of mention of it, that hope was slowly fading. She’d even asked Michael if Paul had mentioned scheduling plane tickets to somewhere, but Michael said Paul was holding off on any travel until further notice—not even to Seattle.

“Paul?” Maya said barely above a whisper. He grunted in response and she leaned across his broad shoulder to connect her lips to his. He responded half heartedly, opening his mouth and letting his tongue glide across her lower lip. Maya's heart rate picked up in sheer anticipation but then, he stopped. His breathing evened out and when Maya slowly pulled back she realized he was out. He’d fallen asleep on her, mid-kiss. She smoothed her finger over his eyebrows and watched as his face stayed closed in sleep before laying her head down to watch him sleep a little while. 


Maya shut the passenger side door to her Jeep with a little more force than usual as Paul clicked the key fob and locked it before meeting her at the front of the car and setting his hand on her lower back. 

She felt two. Being dropped off and picked up from a friend’s house day after day when she didn’t want to stay home. But it was the only thing Paul felt comfortable with—her at home, at parent’s house, or Becks’. She wasn’t even allowed to run errands alone. But Maya was trying. She understood the stress the pack was under, saw it on their faces and in how they clutched their imprints. The last time the Cullens had been here, it had ended nearly in a war with an ancient vampire coven. One that would have surely ended in a lot of casualties. She understood why they were on edge, but she was still frustrated and struggling to hide it as the days ticked on, constantly under watch. 

Paul opened the door for her to Becks and Jacob’s home and as usual there was a buzz of activity within. At least here there was always someone to talk to. Still, she immediately felt Paul tense up beside her and she glanced up at him. His jaw ticked and his grip slipped to her waist. He always did this—as soon as the possibility of leaving her loomed closer, he’d hold onto her a little tighter. If Maya was being honest, it was the most action she’d gotten in two weeks. Her hand went to cover his hand on her waist and she placed the other on his jaw, attempting to smooth the tightness there. He glanced down at her as they walked into the kitchen that opened into the spacious, high-windowed living room before leaning down and giving her a soft peck. 

“Finally,” Jacob said distantly as he reached the bottom of the stairs and saw Paul. Becks was already laid up on the large U-shaped couch, her feet propped up on the plush ottoman as Embry stood off to the side fiddling with the remote. Guess he’s on guard duty today, Maya thought. Jacob always stationed at least one member of the pack at the house, but that didn’t stop him from checking in with Becks every couple of hours via phone to see how she was feeling. Becks had admitted it was a little intense, but she had conceded to quell Jacob’s anxiety. 

“I think it’s best to just go with it for now,” Becks had said. And Maya had nodded—she’d go with it, too. For now. 

“Who’s out on rounds?” Paul said curiously, not quite letting go of Maya yet. She didn’t protest and leaned into his side more, reveling in the pleasing squeeze he gave her waist in response. Jacob leaned down from behind the couch to kiss the side of Becks’ face as she munched on some cereal. 

“Quil, Jeremy, Seth, and Sam tapped in last night to help,” Jacob grabbed the oversized Stanley jug and crossed to the kitchen to fill it up with water for Becks. Maya raised an eyebrow. It was out of character for Sam to run rounds now after Emily had had her fourth. Plus, he was for lack of a better term, retired at this point. 

“Sam?” Paul asked, voicing Maya’s confusion. 

“You want ice, honey?” Jacob asked Becks before he looked toward Paul. 

“Yes please!” she replied. 

“He tapped in to help when Becks wasn’t feeling well last night,” Jacob confirmed as he walked back over and deposited the cup next to Becks. He leaned down again to kiss the top of her head, resting his hand gently on top of her bellow and stroking his thumb back and forth for a second. “I’ll check-in in a bit,” he said lowly. Becks turned her face up to briefly peck his lips and cup his jaw. Jacob gave her that warm, sunny smile and leaned forward to kiss her again. 

“Okay, good luck out there,” she said nonchalantly. Maya could tell she was over this sentinel watch as well. 

“You ready?” Jacob said, standing straight and looking toward Paul. 

“Sure thing,” he replied noncommittally. Maya looked up at him, a wanton look of boredom on her face. Paul gave her an amused grin as his eyes roamed her face, “Stay put. If you want to go home before I come to get you tonight, ask Embry.” 

“Yeah, yeah,” Maya said to his same old tired spiel. He chuckled and kissed her forehead. Maya grabbed onto his wrists and tilted her head up and he softly kissed her before abruptly letting her go and jogging toward the door after Jacob. Maya felt winded. 

She watched as they discarded their shirts and jogged off toward the treeline before crossing the short distance to the couch before plopping down next to Becks with a great sigh. Becks finished her cereal and looked over at Maya. 

“Oh, it can’t be as bad as that,” she joked alluding to Maya’s sigh. Maya leaned her head back on the headrest of the couch and stared at the ceiling. 

“How much longer do you think they’re going to keep this up?” she asked. 

“What do you mean?” Becks said, wiping some crumbs off her round belly. 

“These extensive rounds, the supervised visits, the house arrest,” Maya crossed her arms. 

“I don’t know. He doesn’t seem to be letting up like I thought he would,” Becks said a little forlornly. “I barely see him right now.” 

“Tell me about it. I haven’t gotten laid in two weeks and have a perpetually exhausted boyfriend. I’m starting to think we’re not getting out of here for my birthday, as planned,” she said. 

“I wouldn’t count on it,” Embry said not too unkindly. Maya pulled her head up and grimaced at Embry who was flipping through the channels to find something for them to watch. It wasn’t his fault, she knew that, but Maya was getting to the end of her rope pretty quick. Becks’ phone chimed next to her and she leaned awkwardly to grab it. 

“Already?” Maya said. “Sorry,” she amended grumpily. Becks shot her a warm smile and waved her off. 

“It’s fine. I feel partially responsible for your lockdown, so I understand why you’re not your usual bright and shiny self,” she was typing a reply to Jacob and quickly closed her phone before turning her body with great effort to face Maya. “What’s all this about no sex?” 

Maya groaned, “He’s so fucking tired and when he is awake he’s almost avoiding me? Not exactly avoiding me, I guess, but you saw,” Maya motioned toward the front door, “All sweet and lovey and then boom. Gone.” 

“Hmmm,” Becks said, seriously considering it, “He’s clearly stressed. Even when you’re standing right next to him he’s glancing at you every five seconds like you’re going to disappear,” she said. Maya looked at her confused. 

“I feel invisible to him right now,” she quipped. 

Becks shrugged, “Just saying. He’s hyper aware of you. With being as cooped up as you have been, he’s probably thinking you’re going to bolt.” Maya sucked in a sharp breath and tried to keep her face even. She’d be lying if she said she hadn’t been thinking about planning some kind of escape. Even just a small outing to Port Angeles for a couple of hours. “You’re not planning on bolting are you?” Becks teased. Maya rolled her eyes and hopped off the couch to go grab a drink.

“How could I? Someone’s always watching and I wouldn’t be able to step a foot outside the rez without one of the wolves seeing what with these constant rounds,” she popped open the fridge and dug around for a sparkling water, “Do you want anything?” 

“Umm, some carrots and hummus maybe?” 

“Didn’t that give you insane heartburn last week?” Embry raised an eyebrow. 

“Shut up,” Becks quipped. “How are the intern applications going?” Becks quickly changed the subject to avoid some squabble with Embry and to hopefully lift Maya’s spirits no doubt, but Maya just winced. 

“I brought my laptop over to keep working on some, but I don’t know…” 

“You don’t know? Maya Sunriviere doesn’t know?” Becks let out a small, quiet laugh. Maya arranged some carrots around the tub of fancy organic hummus and started slicing some cucumbers. 

“It’s not that easy. An internship is going to consume my entire life here. I might not be able to come home for summer or any breaks. It’s a shit ton of work and I…I’m trying to balance. Paul and I feel out of sync for most of the year and an internship would just drive the wedge deeper.” Maya had been struggling with her internship applications. Technically they weren’t due until the end of the year, but with her impending workload and some of the early reviewal boards asking for applications, not to mention the urging of her professors, Maya couldn’t put it off. 

She and Paul had barely found a rhythm and now with the expectation that she should take on an internship next summer leading into her junior year, it all felt like too much. In her field, an internship was expected to gain real life experience, network, and get in good with a company she’d ultimately sidle up to a job for eventually. 

“Is Paul still planning on renting a spot in the city for you two at least?” Becks said as Maya came over with the plate of veggies and hummus and took a sip of her sparkling water. 

“I think so, we haven’t really gotten to talk about anything since this happened,” Maya plopped down next to her and snagged a cucumber. “Can you talk to Jacob again? See if he’ll just let up a little bit? I really need to get out of here—with Paul, preferably.” 

It was Becks’ turn to frown as she dipped a carrot in hummus and sighed, “I can try, but it didn’t go so hot the last time. He’s usually pretty reasonable, but this Cullen stuff has really got him spooked. He’s not telling me the whole story, that’s for sure,” at this, she glared at Embry who was seated in the cushy armchair by the fireplace. 

“Hey, don’t look at me,” he said as he watched The Princess Bride opening credits roll. Outside, the thunder roiled overhead, dampening Maya’s mood even further. 

“Work on those applications,” Becks admonished. “For the both of us, please.” She said that last part with a gentle smile and Maya gave another resigned sigh before grabbing her bag and yanking her laptop free. 

Maya had the distinct feeling of being lifted from the couch. It had been hours. At some point in the night she had drifted off after Becks had gone up to bed following their movie marathon. Embry had left to run the small perimeter outside of the house and the low light of the outdoor flickering garden lamps had been enough to lull her off to sleep. 

Low voices carried in and out of her consciousness and she felt cradled against a searing chest. She leaned into it, already knowing who the chest belonged to and the warm broad arms that encircled her. Maya was so tired and so very warm that opening her eyes and walking on her own seemed like the furthest thing from her mind to do. The voices were at least trying to keep their volume low in the interest of the sleeping household, but Maya distinctly heard Paul’s warm tone rumbling through his chest where her ear was pressed. 

“—do this anymore,” he had said, “There’s been no sign of them for over two weeks. Have you tried just calling Bella? Or asking Charlie?” Maya’s interest piqued at that. They were talking about the Cullens. Jacob’s voice was harder to hear but she did hear him say: 

“It’s not that simple. Just take a couple days off.” Paul’s arms shifted underneath her slightly and she heard him sigh. So, he was just as tired of running rounds as she was at watching him go on them. He was trying to convince Jacob to loosen his hold on the pack just a little bit and relax, for everyone’s sake. It brought Maya some relief, but still, it didn’t seem like he was listening. 

“I’ll see you in a couple days then,” Paul conceded. 

But Maya could hear a disgruntled tone laced in with his hesitant compliance. He shifted her backpack onto one of his shoulders and carried her out to the car without further conversation and when he placed her gently in the passenger seat, leaning over her to buckle her in, Maya opened her eyes and smiled at him sleepily. “Hey there, Sleeping Beauty,” he said warmly, sweeping a hand gently across her face and pushing some loose waves away from her cheeks. His thumb and forefinger landed beneath her chin and he held her there for a moment before leaning in tentatively for a soft, excruciatingly tantalizing kiss that sent Maya’s heart thumping. 

She grasped onto his wrist, hoping to hold him there for just a bit longer as she arched her body up and leaned into the kiss. She was so hungry—for his touch, his mouth, everything. And when he responded ever so slightly, pressing his mouth more forcefully down upon hers and letting his long fingers cup her jaw, she couldn’t stop a small moan from escaping her throat. He was holding her face to his, giving her what she had been so desperate for for the past two weeks and they were quickly reaching a crescendo, their panting evident of their rising heart beats, pulsing in time together as the heat began to pool between her legs. But all too quickly, he pulled back as if tempering himself. 

She looked at him in disappointment and confusion when he pulled back. 

“Let’s go home, yeah?” He shut the passenger door and jogged to the driver’s side before quickly getting them on the dirt road and heading home. “How was your night?” he tried nonchalantly. 

“Mmm, mmm,” Maya protested weakly, “How was your night?” Paul shook his head. 

“Fine, Jacob’s getting a little out of hand with these rounds,” he glanced over at her then, “I know it hasn’t been the most fun. For either of us.” 

Maya reached across the console and grabbed one of his hands from the steering wheel, “Becks is gonna try to work on him, but she’s not hopeful. Maybe once the baby is here he can take a step back from the pack and you can sub in for a bit.” 

“That’s the plan,” he said somewhat dismissively. 

“I know that’s not what you want,” she leaned her head back on the headrest and watched the lamplights splash across his face as he navigated them down the wet main road. He shrugged and Maya turned her head to look out the windshield. 

“At least we’ll get the next couple of days together, uninterrupted,” he promised. 

“At least there’s that,” Maya said unconvincingly. This couldn’t last forever—this terse and unending suspension of an impending visit—could it? Someone had to make the first move and something told Maya that it wouldn’t be Jacob making that decision. If they could just figure out what it was the Cullen’s wanted, maybe it wouldn’t be as bad as Jacob was making it out to be. They weren’t violent on all accounts, but their sudden re-animated interest in Jacob’s life so soon after he had left them did seem a bit suspicious. Was it just Bella reaching out? Was there another motive? Maya was tired of the unanswered questions and she was tired of not having her life for the very limited amount of time that she was here during the summer with Paul. 

So maybe it was time to get some answers.


Maya woke up in just her panties and the fitted white t-shirt she was wearing yesterday. She was honestly more disappointed that she wasn’t entirely naked. But Paul had ushered her up to bed and promptly fallen asleep with her wrapped up onto his chest before she could even try to bring her peppering of kisses up to his lips. 

She leaned up to see Paul still deep in sleep. She reached across him to tap his phone awake—9:34 a.m. It was the latest either of them had slept in in weeks and Maya groaned with happiness as she settled back onto Paul’s bare chest, letting her eyes slip closed for another moment. Just the sheer thought of getting laid this morning had her aching already and she couldn’t help the involuntary buck her hips gave as she felt Paul stir next to her. Maya’s lips were pressed to his neck making her way across his chest and up his throat to his chin before finally landing softly on his lips. 

He left out a soft groan of appreciation and tightened his grip on her hip. “Good morning,” he said around her lips. Maya couldn’t help from giggling, the feeling of excitement thrumming between her legs, the voice in her head yelling Finally! Finally! 

“Good morning,” Maya replied into Paul’s mouth, refusing to break the kiss as her hand coasted down his chest and slipped beneath the waistband of his sleep pants. 

“Uh, haha,” he responded, twisting somewhat away from her but not enough that she couldn’t take the length of him in her hand and sigh with satisfaction. “Are you hungry?” he said almost in a rushed tone. 

“You could say that,” Maya said mischievously as she started to pump his hardening length and pressed her lips back to his. He gave another short laugh and then pushed himself up into a sitting position, taking Maya with him and pulling her hand from his pants. 

“I’ll make us some breakfast,” he braced her shoulders to still her and then kissed her nose. Maya watched incredulously as he slipped off the bed and was out the door and down the stairs. 

“Paul!” Maya called out in disbelief. But she was only met with the clattering of pots and pans below. 

What the hell was happening? That was definitely a brush off and she could see absolutely no reason for it. He wasn’t still mad at her about the Noah thing was he? No, he’d said as much. So why was he shirking her advances? Maya sat in stunned silence for too long before getting up and padding her way downstairs, determined. 

“Paul.” She said again, this time more forcefully as she rounded into the kitchen. He was busy whisking eggs and mixing in flour for some pancakes. 

“Hey babe, can you grab the blueberries from the fridge?” He said distractedly. 

“Paul!” she said with more vigor. He glanced over his shoulder at her and gave her a confused look. 

“What?” 

“What do you mean ‘What’?! What the hell was that upstairs?” she was annoyed to say the least and that was clear in her tone. 

“I don’t know what you mean.” He brushed her off again and Maya bristled. Was this some kind of game? 

“Bullshit! What the hell is going on?” She crossed the short distance in the kitchen to stand next to him. 

“Maya, what? It’s nothing, and you’ve totally pushed me off before, too. It’s not a big deal,” he dismissed. Maya’s mouth hung open in shock. “Can you grab the blueberries please? Your pancakes will be ready in just a second.” 

“I don’t want pancakes!” Maya felt very much like she was on the edge of some sort of tantrum but this was absurd. Her boyfriend wouldn’t have sex with her and she had no idea why and wouldn’t talk to her. “I want you.” She tried. 

“Okay,” he said gently. “But can you get the blueberries first?” He gave her a soft look, a small smile quirked his lips to one side. 

Maya let out a frustrated sound and stomped over to the fridge. Paul chuckled under his breath and when she slammed the blueberry package down on the counter he was quick to amend. 

“Maya, okay. I’m sorry, babe. That was clearly an advance upstairs, but I’ve just got a lot on my mind right now okay? It’s not personal,” he tried to placate her with his somewhat amused tone but something didn’t quite ring true. Maya narrowed her eyes and shook her head. 

“It sure feels personal,” she grumbled before she turned swiftly on her heel and headed to the downstairs bathroom. She slammed the door behind her and quickly locked it but she didn’t have to. Paul didn’t come after her. 

She leaned against the door and groaned in frustration. Why did she feel driven to insane lengths just to seduce her boyfriend? And even when he gave her a legitimate reason as to why he wasn’t feeling it at the moment, she couldn’t accept it?  Maya felt like an idiot. But still, there was something nagging at her as if Paul wasn’t telling her the whole truth. He felt awkward, stand-offish, and very unlike himself. She wondered if the constant stress of these rounds was really getting to him. 

She should be patient. Maya crossed the short cool stone to turn on the oversized tub and quickly undressed. She twisted her hair up into a heavy duty clip and once the steaming water filled the majority of the tub, she slipped into the water. Taking some deep, calming breaths, Maya tried to convince herself to relax. If they did have a couple of days together, she needed to make the most of it. Whatever was bothering Paul, she decided she wasn’t even going to dig right now. He had said he had a lot on his mind, and she just needed to leave it at that. Maya squeezed her eyes tighter together in annoyance. 

She could leave him be, but the thrumming between her legs was incessant. Paul hadn’t touched her in weeks and she realized now she didn’t take too well to being denied. 

Patience. 

Another deep breath in and out and…the tension in her shoulders still hung tight as she tried to think of relaxing thoughts. La Push beach. The warmth of Emily’s living room filled with laughter. Sleeping next to Paul on a lazy afternoon as rain fell gently outside leaving a foggy mist. Maya felt her hand rest softly on her belly as she tried to focus on her breathing. She tried to pull more relaxing thoughts from her subconscious: The short and winding drive on the outskirts of the reservation. Paul’s warm broad hand gripping her thigh as the sun set. His warm, radiant smile that sent shivers down her spine. The feeling of his soft breath dancing across her neck and shoulder as he teased her. His whispers in her ear from behind as he cupped her breast, her mound, tugging her by her waist to press tight against him. Maya’s mouth fell open involuntarily in a soft sigh. The warm water lulled her into a dreamy state and before she knew it, her hand had nestled between her legs. 

Arching her back as if on instinct, Maya let her fingers slip delicately between her folds, the warmth of the tub already offering her slick purchase. She swirled her fingers around her clit, stroking down to her opening and letting one, then two fingers slip inside of her. Maya bit her lip as she thought of Paul’s strong arms wrapped around her as he thrust above her, watching her come apart for him. Maya whined, the feeling of her own digits not enough to satiate her after having Paul for so long. The last time she had touched herself, she had been tucked away in her dorm room, her wet center illuminated by the soft glow of her laptop as she listened to Paul tell her what to do: “Just like that, baby. Show me.” He had said while pumping his hand around his thick cock on the other side of the screen. 

Now, she was home and not 20 feet away from her sat Paul. Her hand ached with how quickly she was stroking herself. Her other hand tugged at one taut nipple and she bucked her hips causing a gentle sloshing of water around her. Another louder moan escaped her lips and she felt herself nearly there. With another too loud whine that echoed around her, Maya felt her center flood with heat, the tension in her shoulders ebbing. She panted quietly as she regained her thoughts, the ache temporarily dispelled. But it wasn’t enough. Not by a long shot. 

“Fuck,” Maya said before submerging her head underneath the water. 

After spending far too long getting pruney in the tub and brushing out her thick hair, Maya wrapped herself in a towel and padded out into the kitchen. Paul was sitting on the couch, his laptop perched in his lap as he answered emails. He didn’t even look up when Maya came out. She crossed to the counter where a semi warm stack of pancakes was waiting for her and plopped two onto a plate. Leaning against the counter, she watched him carefully, only able to see his determined profile as he typed away quickly. 

Maya ate slowly, watching the faint tic of his jaw as he concentrated on the screen before him. Once she finished her pancakes, she placed her plate in the sink and crossed slowly over to him. She should be patient, she knew. But he was holding something back and he had promised there would be no secrets between them. She stood in front of him and he didn’t immediately look up. 

When he did, Maya sucked some residual blueberry juice off of her thumb. 

“Hey,” he said, lifting an eyebrow. 

“Hi,” she said gently. Maya loosened the towel around her and let it drop to the floor. His eyes were glued to her naked form and she could already see the dark, lusty look come over him. 

“Maya, what—” he stated, a look of confusion on his face. She reached into his lap and took the laptop, shutting it and tossing it gently aside onto the couch next to them. Then, Maya straddled him, wrapping her arms around his neck and pressing her lips hungrily to his before he had another second to protest. 

He responded almost instantly, those warm arms wrapping tightly around her and hugging her frame to him. Paul’s hands dropped to her hips, his thumbs found the soft press where her thigh creased at her hips and he held tightly there. Her mouth opened for him and he slid his tongue across her, the familiar taste of him flooding her mouth and sending a gentle thrum of contentedness to her brain. 

As he pulled her hips closer to his, Maya began to grind softly over his clothed crotch. Paul let loose a groan that sent a thrill through Maya. It doesn’t take him long before his hands drifted to each globe of her ass to help her grind more firmly on him. 

She lets one hand slide slowly down his chest and makes quick work unfastening his jeans and slipping her hand inside. She felt the satisfying weight of him in her palm and when she closed her hand tightly around him, he jerked upward involuntary. 

“Maya,” he said between gritted teeth as she started to pump him, running her thumb across his silky tip and spreading the warm bead of moisture there for her. 

Maya pulled back to from their heady continued to kiss to watch his face transform. He was awestruck, enamored, but mostly he looked desperate for her. She grinned wickedly, pulling him free of his jeans and pressed his tip to her opening, letting her slick mix with his as he let out a guttural growl. Paul was gripping her ass hard, trying to tug her down onto him and she wouldn’t last much longer teasing him. Maya leaned up quickly before sinking down slowly onto his shaft and they groaned together as he sheathed himself within her. Pitching forward, she pressed her forehead to his and gripped the back of his neck. Maya began to roll her hips on him only managing to lift up halfway before he was slamming her back down onto his lap. 

Her pants were coming fast and heavy now as her thighs burned with the delicious effort of bouncing on him. “Please. Please. Please Paul,” she begged—she didn’t even know what for at that moment, but Paul clearly knew. His mouth formed a pleasing “O” shape as he watched her full tits brush against his chest. He wrapped his arm around her and jerked to a standing position, holding her up and to him. 

“Fuck, My,” he gasped before he pitched forward onto his knees and laying her onto the soft, plush living room rug. “You think I couldn’t hear you in there? Touching yourself?” He pounded into her now at this angle, pulling her thigh up and spreading her open wider. Maya’s eyes rolled back into her head, “You drive me fucking crazy, Maya.” He grunted as he braced himself with one arm and pressed her thigh open with the other. He angled his hips just so and Maya arched off of the carpet with a loud whine. Paul dipped his head immediately to bite and suck at her exposed neck and shoulder, rutting faster into her. 

Maya was a woman possessed. Her heart hammered in her chest and she raked her nails down his shoulder blades as she skyrocketed toward release. She was incoherently babbling his name, and their slick, sweat covered bodies rubbing warmly against one another. 

Maya heard his grunts turn into painfully sweet moans as he pushed toward his release and his rhythm began to stutter in her. With another sweet gasp, watching his face dissolve into pure bliss, Maya crested her high and let her release snap. She shuddered, her thighs shaking as she came around him. Maya felt him twitch within her, stuffing her full. 

As he came down too, he collapsed a little on top of her, but still braced himself up on his arm to keep most of his weight off of her. He panted softly against the side of her face, planting lazy kisses along her cheek and jaw. Maya held onto the back of his neck and turned her face to kiss him again, this time sated. 

“Was that so bad?” she teased tracing her finger along the line of his stubble. He laughed, light filling his eyes as he shook his head slowly. 

“You’re gonna kill me, you know that?” Maya nodded seriously and then burst into giggles as Paul buried his face into her neck groaning sweetly. 


The rest of the day, Maya and Paul spent tangled up in one another. She felt some of the tension release in him but he was still holding something back. At some point in the late afternoon, Maya had dozed off. And when she woke, the bed was empty and she heard soft sounds coming from the kitchen. 

When she made her way down to the kitchen dressed only in Paul’s oversized t-shirt, she saw him fully dressed and stacking things into a picnic basket. 

“What’s this?” Maya said curiously as she came around him to peer into the basket. 

“We’re going on a romantic getaway,” Paul said. Maya immediately lit up, sucking in a breath. Maybe they were leaving after all, “Down to La Push beach.” He continued stuffing the basket with food, wine, fancy cheese, and Maya’s favorite dark chocolate pretzels. She tried not to deflate too much when he mentioned La Push beach. 

“Okay,” she said softly. 

“Go get ready,” he patted her hip and leaned over to kiss the top of her head. Despite the too close locale, he seemed pretty excited. Maya wasn’t going to squash that. 

Ten minutes later, Maya was dressed in a short white fitted sundress that fanned out gently around her thighs. She walked hand in hand with Paul down to the beach and watched with pink tinged cheeks as he spread out the blanket for them to sit on. 

The sun was slowly setting and the waves rolled gently on the shore. The pebbled beach glittered in the summer light and Maya breathed a sigh of relief. 

They dug into the picnic and Maya laughed as Paul joked with her about a recent client call he had. As Paul poured her the remainder of the wine, she decided to take a chance. 

“So, I was thinking. If we can’t go too far from the rez, maybe we could do a quick trip to Victoria? Michael said the tickets were reasonable and we both have our passports and the dock has a more relaxed checkpoint.” Maya sipped her wine and watched as Paul looked out over the ocean. 

“Maya,” he began slowly, letting his gaze fall down to the blankout. 

“Oh, come on Paul, I know you think these extra rounds are ridiculous. And once Becks has the baby, you really think he’s going to let up enough for us to get out of here for awhile? They can manage for a few days without you,” Maya pleaded. Paul looked at her sadly and shook his head. 

“It’s just, not a good time right now, babe,” he dismissed. 

“What does that mean?” Maya quipped. “Nothing has happened, Paul. Nothing! They might not even be coming and I’m convinced that they don’t actually mean Becks or Jacob any harm. If they did, why wouldn’t they just ambush them? Instead of sending a note announcing their arrival? That’s a piss poor murder plot,” she coaxed. 

“You don’t understand how these…people,” he struggled, “Work, Maya. It doesn’t matter if they tell us they're coming, it’s still enough of a threat even with the heads up.” 

“So, we’re just trapped here all summer in this cycle of you being too stressed out to fucking touch me and me banging my head against a wall.” She was irked now. Paul grimaced. “It’s fucking infuriating, Paul.” 

“Don’t, Maya.” He said firmly. 

“Don’t what?” her voice raised slightly and the disgruntled look careening toward irritation pushed her over the edge. She was mad now. 

When he just silently stared at her, anger just under the surface bubbling at something unsaid, Maya couldn’t take it anymore. 

“Guess we’re back to square one,” she snipped. 

“Jesus, My, come on,” Paul groaned, rubbing his eyes. “Just work with me here.”

“That’s all I do, Paul! My life is you and this place when I’m not at school. And now I can’t even have that. What am I supposed to say?” she shouted. Paul grimaced and shook his head looking out over the ocean, “I’ve been accommodating since I got here. I’ve been maintaining the house, Becks’ house, organizing shit for everyone else to do once the baby gets here, trying to take care of you and have meals ready… And I’ve been very patient..with you.”  

“I wanted this to go differently,” he was speaking through gritted teeth now trying to keep his cool as he rubbed his hand against his thigh. He wouldn’t meet Maya’s eyes. 

“What do you mean?” Maya’s eyes narrowed, her voice piqued in cloaked suspicion. 

“Let’s just go. I don’t want to do this here,” He said with disappointment, ending the conversation. He stood and held his hand out to her. But Maya wasn’t having it. 

She was frustrated as she fought tears that were threatening to break free, shoving the remnants of their picnic back in the basket. 

“Maya, just leave it baby, I’ll come get it later,” Paul grasped her arm and she shook free of him to his frustration. “Maya!” he snapped. She jerked into a standing position and narrowed her eyes at him. 

“Don’t be a dick because I’m upset that I can’t have one normal moment with you while I’m home. It’s not fair, Paul and you know it. This bullshit Jacob is pulling is way off base and you won’t even acknowledge it. You won’t even talk to me about it. So, go run and tell your alpha that you don’t need time off anyway since you’re not really here anyway,” Maya said angrily as she turned to head back up the path toward home, slinging the picnic basket over her shoulder and the bundled up blanket in her arms. 

Paul didn’t immediately follow, but rather he stayed on the beach, hands on top of his head as he felt himself boil with anger, fatigue, and everything he wanted to say but couldn’t.


  

Maya’s phone buzzed gently around 2 a.m. She was on alert however, her emotions on high. After her argument with Paul on the beach, she had gone upstairs and locked the bedroom door. She was feeling trapped and restless—a nasty combination. She didn’t hear Paul come back into the house so she assumed he had taken her advice and returned to Jacob. Fine. 

Still, she secretly hoped he would call and relieve the anxiety that had filled her for most of the night before she fell into a fitful sleep. Without even looking at the caller I.D., Maya groggily answered with: “Paul?” 

“Maya,” it was Becks, but it sounded like she was speaking in just above a whisper. 

“Becks? You okay?” Maya sat up in bed and swung her legs out from under the covers, “Is the baby coming?” 

“No, not yet,” she said quickly. There was a long pause, so much so that Maya raised an eyebrow. 

“Okay? What’s wrong?” her anxiety was starting to increase as she waited with bated breath. 

“I…I need your help with something,” she said cryptically. 

“What’s going on? Are you in trouble?” Maya was up on her feet and already across the room to her dresser to pull on some pants. She could call Paul on the way. 

“No, no nothing like that,” she said quickly. 

“Then what’s with the spy voice?” Maya said with a tinge of annoyance, stopping her frantic dressing. 

“I don’t want Seth to overhear. He’s patrolling the perimeter right now, but you can’t be too careful.” Maya understood that. 

“Becks, are you sure you’re okay? You’re kind of freaking me out,” Maya pulled on her pants anyway and tied her hair up in a ponytail. 

“Maya, I need to know that you’ll help me with this and not tell anyone. Not Keye, not Paul, and especially not Jacob,” Becks warned. Maya rolled her eyes. As if she’d tell Jacob anything at this point. 

“Fine, yes, I promise,” she responded quickly, “So, what is it?” 

“I need you to get me to Forks.” 

“Why? What’s in Forks?” 

“Bella Cullen.” 

Chapter 47: The ties that bind

Chapter Text

You know that on edge feeling you get when you do something you’re totally not supposed to be doing? As if at any moment someone will round the corner, catch you, and that will be the end of it? You’ll stand there, flushed and caught, with whatever it is you’ve done wrong and expect…mercy. Forgiveness. Understanding. But do I deserve any of that? After everything I’ve done? 


Paul pressed a rough kiss to Maya’s forehead when he dropped her off at Becks’ next the day. His body language was stiff and he was clearly still upset about yesterday. But Maya was too preoccupied with her short conversation with Becks last night to pay it too much attention. 

Paul barely said anything to her except, “Stay put,” before he rubbed her arm, pulled her to him for a quick hug, and headed out. Maya operated on autopilot, but she was filled with so much anxiety, enough to corner Becks and ask her what she meant last night when she had asked her about seeing the Cullens. Well, one specific Cullen. 

“What’s that about?” Quil asked between bites of muffin as he stood at the expansive kitchen island. Maya shoved her hands in her back pockets and gave him a tight lipped smile. 

“Nothing,” she said too quickly. 

“Uh huh,” Quil said around a mouthful of muffin, “Go easy on him, would you? He’s an absolute nightmare when he’s stressed about you.” 

“I didn’t do anything to him,” Maya said trying to hide the irritation laid plain in her voice as she ducked around him to pour herself some coffee. 

“Uh huh,” Quil replied skeptically again. Maya rolled her eyes and took the steaming cup over to the couch before plopping down on it and attending to the massive pile of freshly laundered baby clothes that were heaped upon the ottoman. Maya let her eyes coast up the massive pile of unfolded onesies and tiny loose socks and let out a long sigh. 

Coordinating this without being found out was going to be the biggest hurdle. But Maya still couldn’t believe that she agreed to it at all in the first place. She nearly blurted it out to Paul on their way over this morning, but something kept her quiet. Maybe it was the constant rounds, or the fact that Paul was being so weird, or her growing need to prove that the Cullens weren’t a threat despite not knowing much else about them, but she had been quick to agree when Becks told her that this was something she had to do before the baby was born. 

She was convinced it would be safer. Whether that was true or not, Maya wasn’t sure, but before Becks had abruptly ended the phone call she had said something that rang true and convinced Maya firmly that they had to do this: 

“There’s something Jacob isn’t telling me. And he’s going to learn very quickly that if he shuts me out, I’ll figure it out on my own. Maybe it’s the hormones, but I’m sick of watching him kill himself for an enemy that I get the feeling is not the real enemy at all.” 

Maya sipped her coffee as the rain started to come down heavily. In the garden, the flowers they had planted for Becks’ baby shower were flourishing and nearly taking over every inch of the plot. 

“You want some help?” Quil sank down onto the plush couch next to her and leaned forward to grab a onesie covered in ducks. His massive hands deftly maneuvered the tiny piece of clothing as he began folding. Maya smiled and leaned forward to help. 

“Thanks,” she said softly before digging into the pile herself. 

“It’s going to be okay, Maya,” Quil said gently, not looking at her as he focused on pairing the tiny socks together. Maya paused and looked at him, her heart hammering in her chest for a moment before she reminded herself to calm down. 

“You all keep saying that,” she replied harshly. But the words felt wrong in her mouth and she refused to look at him as she sipped her coffee and continued to fold clothes. 

Over the next couple of weeks, Maya and Becks found a way to converse in private without one of the wolves overhearing. They’d sit next to each other on the couch and pull up a co-op word puzzle game and in the chat feature, they’d discuss their plans. Whenever one of the pack walked by who was on duty that day, they would simply ‘x’ out the small chat box and pretend to be playing the word game. It was kind of perfect. 

Wolfgirl232: So, how was it? 

MSunRun: It was fine. He cooked me dinner. We fucked. And I managed to finish another application after he passed out. 

WG: That bad? 

They were at the moment talking about Maya’s birthday. It had passed by in relative quiet. As Maya predicted, Paul refused to leave the rez and with the wolves being so preoccupied with increased rounds. There wasn’t even a collective pack dinner for her like Emily usually organized for imprints. She had gotten plenty of “Happy Birthday” texts and saw her parents that day who celebrated her in a way only they could. But still, Maya would be lying if she said she wasn’t a little disappointed. 

M: His heart’s not in it. 

WG: Into you? That’s not true and you know it. 

M: No, I mean. He’s just not there half the time and even when he is there, he’s…far away. 

WG: I’m sorry, My. He does love you. You know that. 

M: I don’t want to talk about this anymore. Your move. 

Becks shot her a sad look and then readjusted herself on the couch. After her initial phone call that fateful evening, Becks and Maya had been trying to come up with a way to effectively sneak out of the house to rendezvous with The Bella Cullen. Maya had had so many questions on that first day:

M: How did you even come up with this?!

WG: I reached out to her. 

M: Who!? 

WG: Bella.

M: WHAT?! How?! When?!

WG: The same week we got the baby present. I just went through Jacob’s phone when he was in the shower, found her number and texted her.

M: You’re fucking nuts. What did she say?! 

WG: That she was glad I reached out and asked if there was any possible way we all could meet up to talk. 

M: So…like she wants to see you and Jacob? 

WG: I guess. She sounded pretty nice though. Normal. 

M: We can only hope. 

Beyond that, Becks continued to emphasize the importance of sneaking away to see Bella before the baby was born. She was adamant that it was the safest option and that put a very fast approaching deadline on their plan. 

M: Okay, but you’re literally about to fucking burst any day now.

WG: My due date isn’t until the 13th of July. We have like almost three weeks. 

M: Becks. 

WG: Maya. 

M: Okay, well I know you said we can’t involve anyone else, but if we’re going to shake your guard, we’re going to need a distraction. 

WG: What did you have in mind? 

So far, they hadn’t involved Keye in their plan, which Maya thought was a mistake. Scheming, expert sneaking, and pulling off a good escape was Keye’s forte. So when Maya offered her plan one night as they both tried to stay awake on the couch, Becks was quick to agree. Maybe it was her impending due date or the urgency of getting this meeting out of the way and finding out once and for all what Jacob was hiding, but whatever it was—Becks was ready. 

That was why Maya had come up with a plan that would throw them into motion fairly quickly when the time came. And when Colin was assigned to be on watch one overly cloudy Thursday afternoon, Maya knew it was time. 

If all went according to plan, Maya and Becks would be tucked away upstairs in Becks’ room. Maya was going to leave the shower running to make it seem like she was helping Becks take a shower and when Keye arrived, she would leave her car running. Colin would unsuspectingly get the brunt of some massive story Keye was sure to come up with, drag him outside in the backyard, and Maya and Becks would make their escape in Keye’s car. 

From there they would hopefully make their way swiftly off the rez, with Becks laying down in the front seat, Maya’s hair tucked up under Keye’s bucket hat and their scent masked by the heap of clean clothes Keye piled in the backseat to mask their scents. Easy. 

She texted Keye that the plan was a go on the way when Becks confirmed it would be Colin standing guard that day. 

Paul ushered her through the front door a little impatiently and Maya swallowed the grimace forming on her face at him rushing her. When he leaned down next to her to kiss her though, she held onto his face for just a bit longer than she normally would. He obliged, his hands sliding from her lower back to her waist and pulling her flush against his tall frame. And there it was: the imprint thrummed, she audibly sighed into his mouth, and her belly exploded with butterflies. His other hand came up to gently cup her face and Maya lost herself for just a moment in that embrace as his lips worked gently over hers, his tongue sliding softly through her mouth and pressing against her tongue. She lost her breath and clung to his neck as her knees quite literally wobbled beneath her. His hand tightened on her waist in response and she couldn’t help but relish in the feeling of him, even though the guilt of what they were about to do hung just beneath it. 

Maya had volleyed between telling Paul that Becks had contacted Bella Cullen and keeping it a secret for the past two weeks. He was worried, they all were, about this so-called threat. And Maya would be lying if she said she wasn’t at least a little scared about the prospect of meeting an unknown vampire alone, friendly or not. Even now, the confession hung heavy in her belly and when he pulled free from their embrace, his eyes warm and kind with that soft look of love that made her ache, she wanted to tell him. She could just tell him. 

Her mouth hung open, belabored by the kiss and half hoping to speak, but just as she croaked out, “Paul, I need to—,” Jacob burst through the backdoor, drenched in rain. 

“Paul!” he said loudly. Maya jumped at the sound breaking through her reverie and Paul pulled her tighter against him protectively, his eyes flitting across her worried face for a moment before looking at Jake stomping toward him. He kept his hold on Maya, her face still cradled by one of his hands as he grimaced at Jacob, “We picked up a scent.” Jacob said firmly. 

Maya felt Paul’s body tense and her heartbeat slammed in her chest. This was it. It had to be the Cullens or at the very least, Bella, coming to meet Becks and Maya. 

“Here?” Paul said incredulously. 

“No, not on rez. I ran up to the border last night, just to see if maybe they were lurking, or laying in wait and I picked something up. It’s faint, but seems fairly fresh.” 

“Could be anyone then. I thought we were sticking local? It’s a better area to cover and we have no other obligation to protect than what’s on our own turf, remember?” Paul questioned, his voice showing a hint of exhaustion. Maya’s heart panged and she rubbed the stubble that persisted on his jaw, the uneven shaves he’d been trying to keep up on were definitely forgone in recent days. 

“If they’re close, I need to know. Becks might go into labor soon and I don’t want any possibility of them slipping through our lines when we’re distracted,” Jacob was stone, immovable, focused. He truly believed that finding and chasing off the Cullens was the only way forward. The tension in his shoulders was so tight Maya was amazed he didn’t snap in two from sheer stress. Jacob looked over his shoulder at Collin who was by the backdoor texting someone— Keye already laying the groundwork for our plan, Maya thought—and said, “No one leaves the house today, understood?” Collin’s face snapped up from his phone as he nodded quickly. 

Paul sighed heavily and nodded, his eyes now painted over with duty and cold resignation to the task at hand, that honey look of love stamped clean out. Maya had to suppress a small sob gathering in her throat as her hand fell to grip his wrist. She pleaded with him with her eyes as if to say, Don’t do this. But instead he leaned down and kissed her forehead with as much tenderness as he could muster when he was wound this tight and murmured, 

“Stay put,” for the millionth time. Maya shut her eyes tight as the irritation at his command bristled through her, leaving hot pinpricks of pain in the palms of her hand and tips of her fingers. Her mouth formed a tight line as she clenched her fists and nodded. He kissed the top of her head and followed Jacob out the door, disappearing down the drive and into the forest in just a few seconds. 

Maya blew out a slow breath and shook her head. This was it. No turning back now. When she turned back into the house, she noticed Collin typing distractedly, his eyebrows furrowed in confusion and irritation. 

“Where’s Becks?” Maya asked nonchalantly. Collin motioned toward the staircase and Maya took the stairs two at a time before walking quickly down the long hallway toward their owner’s suite. Maya knocked softly on the ajar bedroom door before entering as she always did and was called in by Becks’ soft, upbeat voice. 

Maya found her in the middle of her giant king sized bed, laundry and baby bibs strewn about. She thumbed over her shoulder and smiled conspiratorially at Becks before saying casually, 

“Collin’s downstairs. Seems like he and Keye might be at it again,” with well trained ears in the house, it was crucial to play it safe. Becks sighed dramatically, her round belly heaving with the effort as she said, 

“Not again. Can’t those two ever give it a rest?” she feigned. Maya chuckled and sprang onto the bed to help start folding. 

“I give her ten minutes before she’s speeding over here to give him a piece of her mind,” Maya confirmed, already having seen a text from Keye come in to say that exact timeline was in motion. 

 They folded in relative silence for the next few minutes before Maya heard her phone vibrate. 

Keye: Get ready for the hurricane. 

Maya showed the text to Becks who nodded. The plan was already in motion. Maya got up and crossed to the bedroom door, leaning out to shout: 

“Collin?” After a beat she heard: 

“What’s up, My?” from the bottom of the stairs. 

“I’m going to help Becks take a shower, okay?” it should perturb her how easy it came to lie, but instead, she waited calmly for his response. 

“Yeah, okay!” He said somewhat frazzled. Maya couldn’t help but giggle quietly as she left the door ajar and jogged to the ensuite bathroom to turn on the shower. She sure as hell wouldn’t want to be on the receiving end of Keye’s wrath. Becks slipping into her slides when Maya came out, tying up her hair in a low bun in the process. 

“Ready?” she asked. Becks stood and nodded silently, her eyes focused and charged. Outside, Maya heard the distinct shriek of Keye’s brakes and a car door slam. Seconds later, the front door banged open. Maya and Becks made their way quietly down the hall as Keye’s bellowing began. 

“YOU’RE SUCH A FUCKING JERK, COLLIN! DO YOU KNOW THAT? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH OF A JERK YOU ARE?” Keye waved her arms dramatically. 

“Calm the fuck down, please!” Collin scoffed. “I don’t even get why you’re mad about this!” 

“HOW FUCKING DARE YOU! NOW I’M NOT SUPPOSED TO GET MAD ABOUT MY BOYFRIEND FORGETTING SOMETHING SO MONUMENTALLY IMPORTANT? YOU KNOW WHAT COLLIN? I’VE HAD ENOUGH. FUCK YOU!” Keye swung the back door open and stomped down short steps into the backyard. 

“KEYE! God damnit, Keye wait!” Collin called after her as he jogged out into the backyard after her. 

And that was their moment—Maya helped Becks carefully down the stairs and they slipped hurriedly outside the front door that Keye had left open and to her still running car. Maya slipped into the driver’s seat and shoved Keye’s bucket hat onto her head along with a pair of sunglasses and Becks tipped the front seat back. 

With that, they were off. As soon as Maya made it down the driveway, she gunned it once they hit cement toward Forks. With any luck, they’d make it off the reservation unnoticed and to Chief Swan’s house in ten or fifteen minutes. 

After driving in tense silence for a while, Maya saw the familiar landmarks that signaled they were getting close to leaving the reservation. 

“We’re getting close,” Maya said softly. She glanced over at Becks who had closed her eyes and was taking deep breaths again. 

“Are you okay?” Maya asked suddenly, noticing Becks wince slightly. 

“Yes,” Becks let go of a long breath, “Just drive, okay?” 

“Oh my god, Becks, are you—?” Maya said somewhat panicked as her eyes darted from the road to her very pregnant best friend. 

“Just drive, Maya!” Becks demanded. “We’ve got one shot at this.” 

Maya suddenly felt a wave of guilt wash over her, but she knew Becks had her reasons for wanting to confront Bella, even now. But she was also aware that, in part, Becks was doing this for her too, which made the guilt that much worse. Maya pursed her lips and drove on, not totally convinced that this was the right way to go about this. But they’d gotten this far. 

When Maya pulled into the unfamiliar driveway behind, parking Keye’s beat up Corolla behind Charlie Swan’s squad car, she let out a long breath before turning to Becks. 

“You’re sure about this?” Maya squinted, completely unsure of the safety of their plan. Becks was in obvious discomfort and had slid down quite a bit in the passenger seat as if to find some angle her body would appreciate and relieve her of the significant sharp pain. Becks swallowed and pulled herself upright, unsnapping her seatbelt. 

“Of course, My,” she said matter of factly, as if there couldn’t possibly be any other answer. Determined, Becks was always determined. And Maya should see that tenacity as a strength, a marker that this was going to work out. Right? 

Becks was waddling up the driveway as Maya quickly shut off the car and jogged to meet her, putting an arm around her back and helping her to slowly ascend the short and broken cement steps that lead to the Swan’s front door. Maya leaned forward and knocked as Becks took some calming breaths and gave her a tight smile. 

After just a few seconds, the door was wrenched open and a gray-haired Charlie stood there with a warm smile. His eyes lighting up at just the sight of Becks standing there. Maya swallowed and let her gaze drift from the kind face of the man to her friend who was shifting from foot to foot ever so slightly. 

“Wow, wow! You look ready to pop, Becks!” Charlie exclaimed. 

“Thanks, Charlie,” Becks replied, the irritation in her voice from the pain buried under the sweet and ever cheerful attitude she embodied. “This is my best friend, Maya,” She said held onto her lower back and shuffled over the threshold of the door when Charlie moved aside and beckoned her in with Maya close behind, one hand in her pocket on her phone and one hand outstretched as if to assist Becks.

“We’ve met,” Maya said kindly nodding to Charlie who gave her a soft look. 

“Indeed we have. I hope you’re still keeping Lahote on his toes. Lord knows that boy needs it,” Charlie joked. Maya smiled in response and after a beat, Charlie slapped his hands together, “Well! I'm headed out to see Billy and Sue, but don’t be a stranger, Becks. And don’t forget to bring that baby around once you’ve…you know,” he gestured vaguely to her and Becks chuckled, nodding her head lazily. “Good to see you, Maya.” He concluded before heading out the front door. 

The house seemed eerily quiet to Maya, but since it was her first time here, she chalked it up to maybe it always being this way. It seemed like no one was there but Charlie when they walked in, and Maya wondered if this plan had all been a spectacular waste of time. 

Maya could see into the kitchen from here and noticed the window over the sink was cracked open, and beyond, birds were chirping peacefully in the cool morning air. 

Becks leaned up against the back of the couch, a wince coming across her face. Maya’s panic grew. If Becks was in labor, they were definitely too far from the reservation hospital to get her there in time. 

“Okay, you know what, we should go,” Maya said impatiently as she watched her friend’s head bow as she tried to focus on her breathing and ignoring the pain. But then there was a soft whoosh and the hair on the back of her neck prickled. 

She looked over into the entryway and saw a woman coming down the stairs, her hand draped gently over the banister. The sunlight hit just the tips of her fingers and glitter erupted across the painted green foyer walls as the light bounced off of her marble-like skin. When she rounded the bottom of the stairs to face the living room, Maya held her breath. The woman was petite, dark chocolate brown hair reaching below her shoulders in elegant soft waves and her eyes were a pleasing golden color. She was dressed in a loose fitting, long sleeved shirt and dark wash jeans. Black converse adorned her feet. The woman smiled hesitantly and put her hands in her back pockets. 

Maya let her eyes zero in on every minute feature she could make out from her place in the living room. She was a little disappointed; aside from the pale, somewhat luminescent skin that caught the late afternoon light, and golden eyes, this woman looked…fairly normal. 

Becks pushed herself up straight from the back of the couch and Maya could hear the breath catch in her throat for a moment. 

“You must be…Rebecca,” the woman said, her voice had a pleasing tone and gentle rasp to it.

“And you’re…Bella,” Becks confirmed. Bella’s eyes dropped to Becks’ stomach and a look of fondness washed over her stonelike features. Her eyes quickly darted back up to Becks’ face. 

“Thank you for seeing me. Jake refuses…I mean, he doesn’t want to see me and I—”

“Yeah, I gathered as much,” Becks cut her off, her tone a little harsher than usual. Bella pursed her lips and nodded and Maya thought how strange it was to see such seemingly familiar human mannerisms in someone who was basically considered undead. “Look, whatever happened between you and him and your family is still raw and he needs time to heal. He’s trying to heal,” Becks emphasized. Maya watched her best friend’s face morph into one of distinct pain and she placed a hand on her arm. 

“I know.” Bella said, looking down at her shoes, hesitantly. “But that’s now why I’m here…”

“What do you mean?” Becks asked, her breathing coming fast and labored now. Bella’s golden eyes flickered ever so slightly to Maya as she took her in in under a millisecond. Maya kept her face even, her lips pursed as she watched Bella carefully, trying to parse out what seemed so familiar about her. Maybe it was just this home and seeing her so clearly in it, like a ghost not so recently gone, that felt familiar. The hair on Maya’s arm prickled and she looked to Becks who was still breathing heavily, one hand over her stomach as if she was bracing herself. Maya’s hand slid into her pocket of her own accord and grabbed her phone. Something was wrong. 

“There is a threat that the wolves are chasing,” Bella said calmly, “But it’s not us. We would never…Jake..and the others need to know what’s coming and we want to help.” 

Maya raised an eyebrow at her. “If there is a threat, what do they want?” Maya asked sternly. She’d had enough of secrets and cryptic talking. Bella watched her carefully and Maya thought she saw something there. An answer that she didn’t want. 

But in the next moment, Becks winced and cried out in pain. Maya withdrew her hand, shock and fear taking over for a moment before Becks slid down the back of the couch with a tight whine. “Ow! Jeez!” 

“Holy shit, holy shit, holy shit, holy shit. Becks?!” Maya screeched. Maya dropped to her knees next to Becks, her hands hovering over her, afraid to touch her in case it caused her more pain. She could feel the heat radiating off of her body. Bella suddenly appeared, a blur one moment and kneeling on Becks’ other side the next. She placed her hand over Becks’ stomach and one on her shoulder as if to reassure her and Becks whimpered, shutting her eyes tight against the pain.

Maya’s eyes were glued to Becks’ face contorted in pain as regret swirled in her stomach. What had they been thinking? Coming all the way out here into what they’ve been led to believe is enemy territory with Becks about to burst? Maya suddenly felt so stupid for putting her friend in such obvious danger and her brain immediately switched into protection mode. 

“Becks, we need to—,” Maya tried, but Becks was groaning in pain, sharp cries leaving her every now and then as the sweat poured from her face. 

“Edward,” Bella suddenly said, in a normal tone as if he was standing right next to her. 

“Wha—?” Becks only had the chance to utter before another contraction overtook her and she squeezed her eyes shut. It didn’t matter though, the mystery man appeared next to Bella, leaning down as his eyes roamed over Becks’ in her pained state. 

“We should get her to Carlisle. He’s closer and we won’t make it to the hospital or the reservation in time. Her contractions are too close together,” he said matter-of-factly. 

“Shouldn’t we let Rosalie handle this one? It is her area,” Bella said looking over her shoulder at Edward. He met her gaze and then gave a short nod. 

“You’re right,” he conceded before standing and taking his cell phone out of his pocket. 

“Who? What’s happening? We need to get her to a hospital!” Maya said, her eyes wide. “I need to call—” 

“We are. Rosalie’s been an OB off and on for the past 70 years. She can handle this. Let’s get you up,” Bella said gently as she wrapped her arm around Becks’ back and gently pulled her to feet with no effort. 

“They’ll be ready for us,” Edward said, coming back over and putting his phone back in his pocket. “May I?” he asked Becks with arms outstretched. Becks, in a wholly different state of pain and delirium, nodded and suddenly she was scooped into Edward’s arms easily. She rested her head against his cold frame and let out an involuntary sigh at the cool relief it provided her searing body at the moment. 

“I—I need to call…Paul. Jacob,” Maya stuttered, as she watched Becks get swooped up and carried out the door.

“We’ll call him at the house. We need to get Becks to Rosalie ASAP to ensure she can get this baby out safely,” Bella placated. “Come on.” She steered Maya calmly toward the door and when they were halfway down the drive, she saw Edward tucking Becks into the front seat carefully, buckling her in and in a blur he was around to the driver’s side. Maya slid into the backseat with Bella who had her arm slung around her. Edward zipped them down the small deserted street at too smooth of a clip as fast as he was driving. 

She didn’t complain about the speed though as Becks began to wail in obvious discomfort as her contractions intensified. 

“Where are we going?” Maya said breathlessly as Edward weaved effortlessly down the sun dappled street flanked by tall trees. 

“FUUUUUUuu—” Becks screamed and threw her head back. 

“Ahhh, okay, okay, it’s okay!” Maya tried to placate as she placed her hands on Becks’ shoulders from behind. “It’s okay right?” she looked over her shoulder at Bella who nodded reassuringly. 

“We’re heading to our old house here. It doesn’t have everything, but she’ll be okay,” Bella said, her eyes flitting to the back of Edward’s head as he raced around the bend.

In a matter of minutes, they were there—the Cullen’s home was a beautiful modern marvel in the center of the woods, complemented with an exceptional amount of glass that made the home shimmer in the morning light. Maya’s jaw dropped—this home was fancier than anything within a 50 mile radius she was sure. 

Maya was snapped from her reverie though when the panic came flooding back in as Becks let out an ungodly scream. If the wolves didn’t know where they were before, they would now. 

Edward was already pulling her gently out of the car as two blonde, eerily calm strangers descended the stairway from the front door. 

“How far apart?” the young man asked, his eyes the same crisp golden of Edward and Bella’s. 

“Six minutes,” Edward stated simply. 

“My study is prepped,” he gestured. The beautiful blonde woman behind him smiled serenely, genuinely and Maya’s heart flipped in what she hoped was reassurance and not dread. In a beat they were gone and Maya was standing by the car breathing heavily. 

“I’m Carlisle,” the man said, holding his hand out to her. Maya sucked in a sharp breath when she heard Becks wail again and stepped forward to shake his ice cold hand. “Welcome to our home.” 

“I should stay with her,” Maya said, her voice suddenly even and strong as if realizing what monumental danger they might be in if this were to go south. 

“Of course. I do want to warn you though, we weren’t prepared to deliver a baby today so she’ll have a completely natural birth,” Carlisle said with a light smile, “Things might get quite loud.” 

Upstairs Becks shrieked and Maya’s head snapped up toward the sound. “Lead the way,” Maya said. 

The scene before Maya was terrifying. Her best friend was partially reclined on a hospital bed, an IV off in the corner waiting as the blonde, Rosalie she assumed, bent at the waist before Becks to check her. Becks was in shambles, tears coasting down her warm brown cheeks as another contraction overtook her. Maya swallowed hard and marched over to her. 

“She’s about 9 centimeters. Got there pretty fast,” Rosalie said gently, looking up at Becks. Maya was by Becks now, threading her arm tightly with hers and grasping her hand. “You’ll need to push soon Rebecca. With everything you have. Understand?” 

Becks threw head back and wailed in response. Maya’s mouth was set in a hard line and pulled Becks face down to look at her. 

“Look at me!” Maya said firmly, “Becks! Look at me!” Becks’ eyes focused in and out as she looked at Maya through wet eyes. “You can do this. Do you hear me? You can fucking do this. You are the strongest person I know and you can have this baby, no problem. You’ve been waiting for this. Now it’s time, so let’s go. Let’s do this.” Maya hoped her voice was coming out stronger than she felt right now. 

Becks whimpered, her lower lip shuddering and Maya wiped the tears away from her face that had been falling and wetting her hairline. “Ja-Jacob,” she cried, “I need..Jacob,” a fresh groan pulled through her and Rosalie looked up making eye contact with Maya. 

“I know. And he’s coming, but right now, you need to push. With all you’ve got, you have to push. Becks? Okay? Say okay,” Maya was urging. Becks nodded weakly and Maya braced her up. 

“Okay, Becks, the next big contraction should be coming shortly. Then you’ll need to start pushing,” Rosalie said calmly. Carlisle was beside her, supplies at the ready. 

“Okay,” Becks whimpered weakly, her face covered in a sheen of sweat. Already she looked exhausted and Maya could have kicked herself for putting them both in this position. 

“You can do this, right?” Maya said to Rosalie now. The blonde woman’s mouth quirked into another odd smile as she rolled her eyes. 

“What do you think?” she replied with an edge of humor. Maya bit the inside of her cheek and knew that would have to be good enough. “Okay, Rebecca. Time to push. Give me everything you’ve got!” 

Becks grit her teeth and groaned, which quickly turned into a scream. Maya held tight to her hand as she nearly crushed it and tried her best to keep her on track. Becks was determined but this was uncharted waters. Already Maya could see blood and she kept her gaze focused on Becks’ face as she ushered her on with praise: “You can do this. You’ve got this. Keep pushing. One, two, three, four, five, six…” 

“Again, Rebecca!’ Rosalie urged and Maya’s head started to swim. The lights in the study weren’t bright enough and yet Maya felt herself squinting in concentration, overly stimulated by every sound, every wail, every fast movement of Rosalie or Carlisle’s hands. 

If you had asked Maya two months ago what she thought would happen when Becks went into labor, it sure as hell wouldn’t have been “give birth to a baby in the middle of nowhere with two vampires as your delivery doctors.” She was losing track of time, how often Becks cried as she pushed, how many times Rosalie delicately fiddled with a tool or a towel or a clamp between Becks’ thighs to assist her, or how many times Maya felt like she was going to pass out as the overwhelming smell of blood and sweat infiltrated her senses. She was probably overexaggerating that part, but the heightened danger of two vampires very close to Becks’ blood made her hyper aware of the fact that she was indeed bleeding everywhere. 

“Push!” Carlisle urged, “She’s coming!” Maya’s heart fluttered and her eyes went back to Becks who was letting her head loll to the side, exhaustion draining the color from her face. 

“Keep going, Becks. You’re almost there!” Maya said nudging her friend gently. Becks let out a weakened sob and Maya narrowed her eyes, “Becks! You can do this. I’m right here! Let’s do this!” She pulled on her arm to sit her up better, “Look down, can you see him coming?” Maya said. Becks opened her eyes wider and suddenly seemed to regain some strength at the possibility of it. “Go! Push! One more!” Maya nearly shouted. 

Becks let out a death curdling scream, shutting her eyes tight as the sweat poured down her fast and squeezed the absolute shit out of Maya’s hand. Maya let her mouth fall open in a silent scream as she watched her friend and then heard a startling sound come from where Rosalie and Carlisle sat. Rosalie was rubbing the baby earnestly and suddenly, roaring to life was this tiny baby wailing and shrieking. That sound seemed to spark something deep in Becks who immediately reached out, tears cascading down her pale cheeks. Rosalie stood quickly to come around, half wrapping the baby and handing off to Becks who instantly cradled the baby into her chest. Carlisle was still working, his hands moving so fast that Maya couldn’t tell what he was doing, but at this point she didn’t care. 

“A boy,” Rosalie said softly, her face painted with a mixture of sadness and admiration. 

“Oh,” Becks said, her voice thick with tears as she gently stroked the top of his soft head. The baby quieted almost instantly and Becks gave a soft chuckle. 

“Maya? Can you come with us?” Bella’s voice is somewhat drenched in worry. Maya looked over her shoulder quickly and met Bella’s eyes. She leaned down to brush Becks’ hair away from her face and kissed the side of her best friend’s head, whispering, “He’s beautiful, Becks. You did it…” 

“Jacob,” Becks breathed, somewhat delirious in her newborn haze. 

“I’ll get him,” Maya promised before quickly heading to the door and down the stairs with Bella.

“It would be better if you came outside to intercept the pack…we don’t want them to think that we…” Bella hesitated here and Maya nodded, understanding immediately.

 Just as they reached the front door, there was a crash that sounded outside startling both women. Maya’s eyes went wide. Metal crunching metal. Bella ripped the door open to see Edward pinned in the center of his now crumpled car with the auburn wolf she knew so well to be Jacob’s form on top of him snarling. The other wolves were behind him in a semi-circle growling and waiting for the kill. 

“Fuck!” Maya shouted. The dark silver wolf amongst the pack, Paul, perked up immediately at the sound of her voice and broke the formation to sprint toward her. 

“Jacob! Stop!” Bella yelled as she hurdled toward the car. Edward was holding off his snapping jaws with just one arm, the other pinned behind him. The other wolves closed ranks around Jacob as Bella came to Edward’s aid and Maya, terrified, ran down the stairs two at a time toward the demolished car to try and stop it.

Just as she reached the bottom step and lunged toward the car as if to clamber over the crumpled hood and put her body in between the two supernatural beings, she was snatched around the middle by a strong, firm arm and rocked backwards against a searing hot, naked frame. 

“Paul! You have to stop him, he’s going to kill them!” Maya screamed as she fought against his ironclad grasp. 

“What the fuck were you thinking!?” Paul roared over her protests as he easily spun her body and pinned her against him to look at her face. His eyes frantically searched her for any sign of injury but Maya was twisting away from him, still trying to get to the wreckage. 

Bella had made it to Edward and pried Jacob off of him, grabbing him around the middle and hauling him backwards. They tumbled like boulders onto the dirt driveway and Jacob writhed in Bella’s hold. The snapping and howling of the wolves around them made Maya’s stomach drop. 

“Jacob stop!” Maya yelled, squirming in Paul’s grasp to his grunts and annoyed bursts of: “Maya stop! For fucks sake!”

“Becks and the baby! She wants to see you!” she got out lost of breath. 

That got his attention. The howling silenced abruptly and Jacob stilled. Bella let him go as if on cue and he snapped up and to attention. Paul was frowning down at Maya, still holding her tightly against him, confusion and disappointment laid plain on his face. But Maya didn’t care about that right now. As Edward unfolded himself from the wreckage of the car with a groan, Jacob sprinted toward the door, phasing halfway up the stairs and pulling on his shorts tied to his leg before he disappeared into the house. 

Maya let out a sigh of relief and Bella stood and walked toward Edward with extended arms. They pressed their foreheads against one another, eyes closed, as if checking in with one another quietly. The sheer intimacy of it raised the hairs on Maya’s arm as she hung in Paul’s grasp. Paul finally loosened his hold on Maya and pulled on his shorts. Maya was panting, completely out of breath as the adrenaline coursed through her. 

Paul signaled to the wolves above Maya’s head and they dispersed quickly, no doubt to spread out around the perimeter of the Cullen’s home and wait for further instruction. Maya was finally able to tear her eyes away from Bella and Edward who were still embracing in the driveway and turned to Paul. 

His face darkened with not subtle anger and his mouth was turned down in a disappointed frown. 

“I know what you’re going to say,” Maya said breathlessly, running a hand through her sweaty mess of hair. She must have looked crazy to him at this point. “But I wasn’t going to let her go alone.” Paul gritted his teeth hard at that and looked over her shoulder for a minute. The pain was evident on his face and Maya knew that what she had done was considered a small betrayal, at least to him. 

He took a minute to steady himself, the trembling of his body subsiding before he let his gaze fall back onto her and took a step toward her. Maya stayed still, her eyes fierce and persistent, despite the mess her and Becks had made.

He cupped the back of her neck with his broad, too hot hand to hold her steady. 

“Are you okay?” he managed, his voice rough, gravelly as if he’d been swallowing his anger for the past hour as he searched for her. Maya waited, holding her breath before nodding her head slowly, her eyes never leaving the intensity of his. He squeezed the back of her neck momentarily before bringing his lips down to press a firm, hard kiss to her forehead. Maya nearly gasped as she braced her hands on either side of his abdomen. She was lost trying to figure out if he was angry or not anymore. She lifted her head up to see his eyes again, hoping to find the answer, but they were terrifying, wild, sad. 

“Yes,” she whispered, holding tightly to his sides now. He still gripped her tightly. 

“The next time you rendezvous with bloodsuckers, you take me, understand?” He was serious, his voice still wavering with too much emotion. Maya managed a sarcastic grin and she instantly felt his body tighten. 

“You would have stopped us,” she replied dismissively.

“You. Take. Me. Do you hear me?” His voice was almost desperate, and his face was wrought with the pain of too much emotion at once, as he held her chin between his thumb and forefinger to keep her eyes on him.

“Okay.” Maya replied, barely above  a whisper, her eyes wide and wet. 

“I need to get you out of here,” he said in a low voice, as if suddenly realizing where they were. 

“I’m not leaving her, not now,” Maya said firmly. A low rumble sounded in Paul’s chest as if he was fighting back the urge to groan and he looked over his shoulder toward the house. He looked to Maya carefully as if to make sure she was serious and then his eyes gravitated toward the couple coming toward them—Edward and Bella. 

“Fine,” Paul stated, resigned. Bella chuckled with light laughter as she passed with Edward and Maya followed, tugging Paul gently along with her. 

Upstairs, it was relatively quiet, except for the calming low voice of Carlisle, filtering down the stairs. The foursome made their way quietly up to the makeshift delivery room and when Maya and Paul peeked in, Maya was delighted to see Jacob sidled up next to Becks in the bed, his arms cradling her arms that held the carefully bundled baby. Becks looked up when Maya walked in, her cheeks warm and red, her eyes bright and filled with tears. Jacob’s eyes were glued to the baby cradled in Becks’ arms, completely enamored. 

Carlisle smiled gently from where he stood across the room and Rosalie leaned against the wall comfortably, her arms crossed gracefully over her chest as she smiled down at the besotted couple. 

“Maya, isn’t he beautiful?” Becks said, her voice wet with tears. Maya nodded her head quickly, her own voice stolen by the well of emotion building up in her chest. Paul held onto her waist and tugged her toward him protectively, but he was focused on the scene before him and completely softened by it. 

“She’s doing well, minimal tearing, and we stitched her up. I would just advise that she rest up here at least until tomorrow morning before we move her,” Carlisle relayed gently, “And Rose would like very much to keep a close eye on the two of them for the next twelve hours too, just to ensure everyone continues to do well.” He gestured to Rose who hadn’t moved. 

“Becks? Is that alright with you?” Maya asked, her voice thick with emotion. 

“Yeah, yes. Yes, I don’t want to leave until Rosalie checks him later this evening too,” she replied. Becks leaned into Jacob’s side and rested her head on his shoulder, “That’s alright, right Jacob?” 

“Yeah,” he replied, completely in a daze as he looked down on his newborn son, running his broad hand over his son’s small head covered in a tuft of dark hair. Jacob’s eyes were wet with unshed tears as he gazed at the small being laid in Becks’ arms. He was filled with so much love in that moment, he’d probably agree to anything if it meant he got to stay there, next to Becks, and peering down at his son. Their son. 


It wasn’t until a few hours later after Bella had stripped the couch of its white dust cloth and Paul and Maya had settled into the living room that Jacob came down the stairs, closely followed by Bella. 

“Jake, if you just give me a second to explain,” Bella begged. 

Edward looked toward them as they came into the living room, setting down a book he was perusing but not really reading. Maya perked up after having dozed off into Paul’s side. 

“Did it not get through when I left the first time? I don’t want anything to do with you anymore,” his gaze focused on Bella and the hurt there was clear. 

“Yeah, I got that,” Bella replied begrudgingly. 

“This involves your family,” Edward said plainly. Jacob stood to his full height at that. 

“And what about them?” Jacob spat, clearly no love lost between the two men. Edward’s gaze faltered over Maya’s form pressed into Paul’s side ever and Jacob caught on. He snapped his head to look at Maya who looked back between the two men, confusion painted clearly in her wide eyes now. 

“Her?” Jacob said derisively, his lips curling in obvious anger. He was still livid with Maya. That was clear enough in his vitral way he said her name. Paul’s grip on her waist cinched to a bruising degree. 

“Not just her, but an incident that involved her and a packmate of yours. About a year ago, a scout from the Volturri was sent to survey the area around Seattle, looking for….us, we think…and you,” Edward said in a slow and methodical tone, nodding toward Jacob. “What he found was…” 

“Jeremy,” Maya breathed barely audible, but every supernatural pair of ears in the room perked up. 

“The night that Maya got hurt, that was a Volturri scout?” Paul said, anger simmering. 

“He was hunting and the young wolf stopped him—” Carlisle said, coming into view now, but Jacob interjected. 

“So the Volturri, who were looking for your lot at the time, happened to stumble upon my family and when we stopped them they got pissed? Am I getting that right?” Jacob shot back. 

“The Volturri respect tradition, the law, and by extension the original treaty between us, but that area was not considered protected ground,” Edward concluded simply. 

“She is my family, she is protected by extension,” Jacob said between gritted teeth. Maya warmed at that—the fact that Jacob was willing to reiterate that she was indeed a part of this pack family even if she endangered his pregnant/actively in labor girlfriend/fiance for dubious reasons. 

“The Volturri unfortunately do not see it that way. They see it as an active attack on our kind on free and clear hunting grounds,” Carlisle continued carefully, “Which is why we were careful coming down here to warn you.” 

“And to protect you if they—” Bella interjected. 

“Try to come and kill us again?” Paul spat. His arms tightened around her, and the truth of it all started to dawn on her. They’d killed a Volturri scout who had tried to kill her, and now maybe her whole family, the entire tribe even, was at risk of retaliation. 

“I don’t think there is cause for alarm just yet. The Volturri don’t have the same concept of time as we do. They may never show. Or they might send more scouts. We’re just taking…extra precautions, to keep everyone safe,” Carlisle’s kind smile landed on Maya. She nodded in appreciation, even as she trembled from the unnatural cold of the home or fear, she wasn’t sure. 

Paul turned rigid and Maya looked up at him curiously, but his eyes were unreadable and trained to the trio of vampires before him. What had he meant by kill us again ? Was he referring to the almost-war that broke out nearly ten years ago now? Maya realized now that she had never understood the real reason for said war. If the Cullen’s had been friendly all along what had been the reason for the Volturri coming?

The words Becks had said weeks earlier suddenly rang loud and clear in Maya’s head: There’s something Jacob isn’t telling me. 

Maya was getting the feeling that whatever Jacob wasn’t telling Becks  might be a much bigger deal than what any of them were thinking.


It wasn’t until much later that evening that Jacob demanded Paul go home and get some rest, knowing that staying in this house wouldn’t lend him much sleep. Paul had obliged and Maya went with him. Seth stumbled through the Cullens’ front door to change guard and was greeted with a warm smile from Edward and a hug from Bella. That put Maya at ease. 

They took Maya’s car that Seth had driven over for them back to their house. On the way home, that ease that had settled in her stomach at just how well the day had worked out for them started to subside. 

Anxiety rolled off of Paul in waves and the air in the car felt heavy with his anger or malcontent. Maya shivered in the passenger seat even though the warm summer air pushed through her hair from the open window. Paul’s eyes were trained forward to the dark road, focused and black. Maya had never seen him so taut with emotion. It almost scared her. But this was Paul. Her Paul, and she was never afraid of anything when she was with him. 

So why did she get the feeling something was very wrong? 

When they arrived home, Maya breathed a sigh of relief, popping open the passenger door and clambering out of the stuffy interior, nearly jogging toward the front door. Maybe once inside, she’d feel better, she thought. 

She unlocked the door with Paul hot and simmering behind her and pushed over the threshold. Another sigh broke past her lips as she breathed in the smell of home. But she didn’t have much time to revel in her relief.

Maya didn’t protest when Paul tugged her upstairs and toward the bed, slotting her between his legs as he sat on the edge and she stood in front of him. Her heart hammered painfully in her chest as she ran her hand down his cheek softly. He undressed her quietly, his eyes unreadable but the pain evident in each line and frown on his face. When she was completely naked, he pressed one long kiss to the center of her chest before taking off his shirt and placing it over her naked torso. 

He pulled her into bed without a word. Maya was exhausted and didn’t mind that he wasn’t raking her over the coals right now. So she'd sleep now and fight later if that’s what he wanted. She hoped that wasn’t what he wanted though. 

As Maya settled into his warm embrace, she thought about how she just wanted things to be normal. But they had never been normal, not for them at least. She wracked her brain to try and think of ways to make things easier. In the middle of this though, she fell asleep on Paul’s chest, warm and safe. 


Maya woke up the next morning to an empty bed to her surprise. But when she sat up in the afternoon light of the room, she spotted Paul sitting in a low leather slingback chair in just his sweats. He rested his face against his hand as his fingers covered his mouth and stared intently at her. The anger was back, just there she could see it, and Maya narrowed her gaze before she tried tentatively:

“Come back to bed, babe,” Her throat felt dry. Paul watched her for a long moment, the filtered light casting odd shadows over his worn features before he shook his head slowly. Maya let out a sigh, readying herself for the onslaught. The fight she hoped wasn’t coming. 

“I know you’re mad at me. And I understand. I was…reckless and it was somewhat dangerous even though it kind of worked out. But I am sorry,” she said genuinely into the quiet space. If she didn’t trust Paul through and through she might have been afraid by his stock still silence. “Paul?” she coaxed after a few silent minutes stretched between them. “Babe, I’m sorry, I couldn’t let her go on her own and things were just getting worse with these rounds and I—” 

“We need to talk about next semester,” he said firmly, with no emotion coloring his voice despite the anger rolling off of him. It was palpable and she sucked in a sharp breath at the change in his demeanor. Maya sat up straighter and raised an eyebrow at the sudden topic change. 

“Oh?” she asked.

“You need to contact UW and see if what you’ve accrued so far can be transferred,” he said it all so matter of factly, as if it was a to-do list. Maya’s heart fell to the bottom of her stomach and a flash of anger rushed through her. 

“What are you talking about?” Maya broached hesitantly, unwanted tears gathering in her eyes. 

“I need you to stay on the rez next semester—” 

“No.” She interrupted firmly, an unyielding statement.

“And UW is the closest accredited campus that we can manage for protection detail, so you need to call your advisor—” he pressed on as if she hadn’t spoken. 

“No, this is fucking crazy. Paul!” 

“Get things squared away in time so it doesn’t interrupt your progress—”

“No! No! Fuck you! Do you hear yourself?!” She was yelling now, her heart thumping loudly, sweat forming along her hairline. He wanted her to stay here? She couldn’t. She had her classes and her internships, the networking within her department, not to mention the STEM fellows dinner in October. Maya couldn’t leave all of that behind, stop her entire life, just for the possibility of some vampires showing up. No way. 

“I know it’s not what you want but I can’t keep—”

“Stop!” Maya was on her knees now on the center of the bed, her voice angry and pleading as the tears flowed freely down her cheeks, her hand held up in front of her as if she could physically make him stop talking. This wasn’t happening. She wouldn’t let this happen, “Paul please, stop. This is ridiculous I—”

“It’s for one semester Maya, I think you can handle one semester here,” he said, his voice still cold, and angry. But the anxiety was clear in the way he bounced his knee quickly, watching her fall apart and having everything to do with it. It was tearing him apart. 

“I have to go back to school, Paul. I am going back to school in the fall! And you can tell Jacob that I don’t listen to fucking alpha orders—” she bellowed, but something inside Paul snapped and he stood abruptly, his form trembling and pointing a finger at her as if she was some insolent child. 

“LISTEN TO ME! I need you to stay on this fucking reservation until I can make sure you’re safe! So DON’T fucking tell ME what you’ll be doing. And for your fucking information, Jacob didn’t set this order, I DID.” His face was contorted in the most painful grimace as he shouted at her. Maya fought back the urge to throw something, anything in his direction as she watched the man she loved try to box her in. All in the name of protecting her.

After a long pause where they both panted as if having just run a marathon, Maya said quietly, “I’m not staying. And you can’t make me.” 

Paul shook his head, a painful smile running across his face as he peered at the ground for a moment, running a hand down his face, “You’re right, baby. I can’t make you stay. But if you leave, we can’t protect you. I can’t protect you. And I won’t leave my home when it’s on the verge of fucking war. So you either choose this place, choose my for one fucking semester,” he paused, both of their eyes flooded with venom and stubbornness, “Or you leave and endanger all of us. Your family, this pack, me, everyone.” He said it with such finality as if she was sentencing them all to death by going back to school. Maya’s mouth hung open in shock and anger. 

Her heart felt like it was about to push from her ribcage and fall right through the floor. She shook her head, her mouth closed in a tight line as angry tears fell down her cheeks and dotted the bed. Maya was standing on her knees in the center of the bed, his t-shirt hanging limply around her frame, her fists clenched at her sides, all anger and fury. 

“I’m not losing you, My,” his voice shook dangerously and Maya tried to quell what she hoped wasn’t hatred boiling in her stomach. She could never hate him, the imprint wouldn’t allow it, but this visceral feeling was attempting to rip her to shreds. His eyes were wild with unsung grief at the thought of it and his entire body trembled with anger and frustration. 

“I won’t fucking lose you.” 

 

Chapter 48: My best friend's baby

Chapter Text

The world is not a box. It is not just this reservation, this house, or these people. The world extends beyond that—at least for me. If I leave, what will be left of my life? Is there something I’m not considering? A light, a port in the storm that I can access instead? I’ve always been good at getting what I want, even before I knew I wanted it. And they let me into Columbia for a reason. I”m smart—if I think about this hard enough, I can figure it out. I have to figure it out. Or Paul might never forgive me. 


Maya woke up in the dreary morning light filtering in from the A-frame window behind her. She rubbed her eyes and turned over to stare out the window where she’d be able to see down to the water from her vantage point, but the world was cloaked in fog. An uncommonly cold day in July. 

Drained. Maya was drained both emotionally and physically. She lifted her head and was thankful that the guest bedroom door was still closed, the lock securely fastened. Yesterday had been nothing short of a nightmare. After Paul had told her she needed to stay on the reservation yesterday, something terrifying in Maya had detonated. 

The rest of the day was spent in tense silence, boiling over into more shouting matches between them, and ended with Maya slamming the door to the guest bedroom, locking herself behind it as Paul banged on the door. He’d left her alone after a short while, just as exhausted as Maya was, she was sure, and she spent the rest of the day and night in there.

Now, as the low morning light begged her awake, the gloom shadowing her mood, she propped herself up on her hands and looked around her. Her head wasn’t any clearer than it had been the night before. And she dreaded the moment that she’d have to face Paul for no other reason than she just didn’t want to fight right now. 

Her eyes were red and puffy, her lips chapped and dry, and her face was blotchy from the bought of crying and rubbing her face into the linen pillows. The anxiety coiled in her stomach and she grimaced in the physical pain the stress of it caused her. After a few deep breaths, Maya swung her feet over the side of the bed and carefully, quietly, stood. She tiptoed to the door and pressed her ear to the warm wooden door to listen for any activity that would indicate that Paul was awake. Maya rested her forehead against the door and took a deep breath. This was supposed to be her home, and she’d be damned if she was reduced to sneaking around to avoid her boyfriend. Fuck that, she thought. 

She pulled open the door and strode quickly across the small landing and went to her dresser. Luckily, the room was empty, so Maya took the opportunity to dress quickly, donning some black joggers and a cropped Columbia t-shirt. After brushing her teeth, pulling her hair up into a high pony, and dotting some raspberry tinted lip gloss across her lips, she headed downstairs. All the while, she listened for any indication of Paul, but so far, nothing. Maya couldn’t help but feel grateful for the space, but she didn’t linger. 

She pulled on her sneakers, grabbed her bag with her laptop and internship notes crammed inside and jogged out the front door toward her Jeep. The fresh morning air was actually a welcomed relief. As she climbed into her Jeep, her phone buzzed. She turned on the Jeep and dug into her bag, leaning over the console to grab it. 

Keye: Are you going to Becks’ today? 

Maya: I’m on my way right now. Is that a problem? 

Keye: Nah, Becks was just wondering. She seemed worried about you. 

Maya: I’ll be there soon to fill you guys in. But it’s not good. 

Keye: <puking emoji> K. 

Maya sighed and tossed her phone on top of her bag. Just as she settled back into the driver's seat, a sharp knock sounded on the driver side window that made her jump. Paul stood on the other side in a light t-shirt and dark jeans in the unseasonably cold morning air, with a deep frown on his face. Yep, definitely still pissed, Maya thought. She rolled her eyes and pressed the button to roll down the window. 

“You scared the fuck out of me Paul, what the hell?” She accused him. Paul’s face darkened and he braced his forearm against the window frame, leaning partially into the Jeep. 

“Where are you going?” he asked calmly. Maya suppressed the urge to roll her eyes again. 

“To hell. Wanna come?” she quipped as she jerked the shifter into reverse. 

“You’re really not gonna tell me?” He replied back annoyed. Here we fucking go. 

“Nah, I’m sure you’ll figure it out,” she said with a sharp edge. It didn’t make her feel better to make mean digs at him, but every time she tried to tell herself to tone it down, the look on Paul’s face as he told her she couldn’t go back to school boiled over again and she was all fire. 

“Don’t be like this. You’re acting like a dick,” Paul’s face contorted in annoyance and he put his hand on the door handle like he was going to open the door. Maya was quick to press the automatic locks and he lifted an eyebrow at her as if in challenge.

“The feeling’s mutual, babe,” she said. For a beat she thought about speeding away but she resigned and followed up with, “I’m heading over to Becks’ to make sure the shifts and schedule I spent hours on for newborn duty are being followed. And to make breakfast,” she paused and met his eyes, fierce and overwhelmed with too much emotion from the night before, “Is that alright with you or are you going to tell me I can’t leave the house now, too?” 

Paul grimaced and shook his head in frustration before he replied, “Fine. I’ll take you.” 

“No thanks,” she replied quickly. He stared at her for a moment before taking a deep breath to steady the clear some of the residual anger. 

“Maya,” Paul pulled a hand down over his face. 

“It’s fine. Don’t you have rounds anyway?” And with that, she shifted quickly into reverse and pulled out of the driveway too quickly in a cloud of dust. He just stood there as Maya whipped the car onto the road toward Becks’, but for the first time in a long time, Maya was glad to be alone. 


Arriving at Becks and Jacob’s, Maya wasn’t sure what reception she would be walking into. Becks had been recovering and not very chatty via text. Understandably so—she was so wrapped up in her newborn and adjusting to his schedule that she’d had little time to clue Maya in on any of Jacob’s current feelings toward her or the recent situation she had been complicit in. Maya let out a slow breath before turning off her Jeep and hopping down onto the wet driveway. The rain had been relentless overnight and the gloom hung low and clung to the afternoon. 

Whatever Jacob felt about Maya taking his very pregnant fiance to a coven of known vampires, she was sure to find out soon enough. 

Maya pushed open the front door and stepped inside quickly, removing her boots and raincoat. 

“Hello?” she said tentatively, just loud enough that trained ears would hear her easily. Maya could hear clambering in the kitchen and made her way across the foyer to kitchen. Kim was joking with Jared as she rolled homemade cinnamon buns and pressed them neatly into a metal tray. 

“Morning Maya!” Kim said brightly when she spotted her. Jared gave a short barking laugh and put his hands on his hips. 

“Well, well, well, if it isn’t the traitor,” he joked. Maya rolled her eyes and walked purposefully into the kitchen bumping Jared out of the way with her hip. “Where’s Paul?” he asked confused when he realized Paul wasn’t following close behind as usual. Maya yanked open the fridge to take inventory of the current prepared meals and started making a mental grocery list. 

“Probably running rounds,” she mumbled as she pushed aside a carton of milk. 

“Hmm,” Jared replied with concern. Maya really didn’t want to hear it though. The tension between her and Paul would dissipate. Hopefully. And until that point, she was going to focus on—

“Thought you wouldn’t show,” Jacob had appeared at the kitchen island, one strong arm cradling his infant son that looked absolutely miniscule against the towering alpha’s frame. Maya couldn’t help a smile from warming her face as she looked upon her nephew. 

Ephriam William Black. 

That’s what they had gone with after a very short conversation at the Cullen’s. Becks was insistent and Jacob was simply in awe at the beautiful creature Becks had brought into this world for them. He’d agree to anything. 

“Of course I’d show. Is she sleeping?” Maya jotted down some items on her grocery list in her phone’s notes app. She quickly swiped away the text that came in from Paul without reading it. 

“Yeah, we didn’t get home until early this morning. She’s only been out for an hour or so and he’ll need to eat soon, so I’m sure she’ll be up in a bit,” Jacob relayed. Dark bags hung under his eyes from the intense night they’d had, but he looked happy. Maya nodded and gave him a gentle smile. 

“Okay, anything you need?” she asked. 

“No,” he said shortly. He looked down at his sleeping son and a smile tugged at his lips. Then, he looked back up at Maya, a completely new look of sadness shimmering through. “Maya,” he said, his voice rough. Maya looked up at him ready for her verbal beating. But none came. 

“Thank you,” he said gently. Maya’s lips parted slightly in surprise before she shook her head and said very quickly: 

“What for? There’s nothing to thank me for. I’d have protected them either way,” she replied. Jacob looked surprised at that which irked Maya just a little bit. 

“I know, I just…wanted to thank you for being there. And for getting her through it and helping her deliver our son. It means…more than you know,” his voice was so soft, Maya wasn’t sure she’d ever heard him speak with such quiet candor and admiration before. It threw her off guard but she decided to roll with it. 

“She’s my best friend, my sister. There’s nothing to thank me for, Jacob,” she sighed and then gave him a soft smile, “But…you’re welcome.” 

Jacob chuckled at that and rocked Ephriam slowly in his arms. Maya walked around the island and stood next to Jacob, peering at the sleeping baby who’s warm caramel colored cheeks spilled out from the confines of his blanket. 

“Could I?” Maya whispered, looking up and up at Jacob. He took a moment to consider her and then smiled that sunshine smile that was so rare to see if it wasn’t directed at Becks. He turned and carefully deposited Ephriam into Maya’s waiting arms before putting a warm hand to her shoulder and giving it a squeeze. 

“I’m going to go lay down with Becks. Bring him up when he wakes up,” he said softly. Maya nodded, her eyes glued to the peaceful face of her best friend’s baby. She gently rocked him from side to side in her arms and was suddenly overwhelmed by the knowledge that this was her best friend’s son. They were so young—Becks barely just 19. And Jacob…Jacob was kind of a mess, but he seemed to be finding his way with Becks’ help. Still, Maya’s heart thrummed a chaotic feeling as she considered their life for a moment. Becks was so happy, she knew it, and her future was secured by the tiny human Maya cradled in her arms just now. The certainty of it all was oddly comforting and Maya found herself momentarily slotting herself into a similar position with Paul, just to examine what it might feel like. 

There’d be no question about not returning to school. If this was her baby, she’d be hard pressed to want to willfully leave him behind and leave the safety of Paul and her home. She’d be a council favorite, her and Paul wouldn’t be butting heads all the time considering they’d both be too tired with feedings and diapers and everything in between, and the distance growing between them as she stayed off rez for longer and longer each semester would evaporate. On the contrary, they would be tied together even closer by product of their perfect mixing. 

Maya walked over to the sliding glass door at the back of the house and alternated between looking out the window as the rain streaked down the glass and back to Ephriam. She would be happy, she knew that. And Paul…would be ecstatic if only for the fact that he’d finally get to start the family he’d always wanted but had never quite allowed himself to have. It would all be so simple and the path would be clear ahead of them. And yet… 

Quil and Embry banged through the front door making Maya’s head swivel quickly to shush them. Embry laughed quietly and held up his hands in apology as he ducked into the laundry room, drenched in rain. 

Quil’s eyes lit up when he saw Maya had Ephriam and he crossed the living room to stand next to her. 

“Can I hold him?” he said in a low, somewhat pleading voice. Maya giggled and shook her head, to which he looked immediately crestfallen. 

“You’re all wet,” she nodded toward his bare chest. Quil looked down as if just noticing it for the first time and tried to wipe the rain drops off his body. 

“I’ll be dry in like two seconds,” he retorted. To be fair, he was already looking drier considering the rain was evaporating quickly off of his searing hot body since he entered the house. 

“You’re dripping on me!” Maya teased as she turned her body to block Ephriam from getting dripped on. Quil’s long hair was soaked and a frustrated groan erupted from his chest as he turned and jogged toward the laundry room. Maya giggled and felt Ephriam close his tiny hand gently around her extended forefinger. 

In the front hallway, Embry was mopping up the mess he and Quil had dragged in. Maya turned to look out the window again, enjoying the quiet for just a minute more and the peace the sleeping baby gave her before handing him over to Quil’s eagerly waiting arms. 


A battle of wills. That’s what this had to be. Maya was kneeling in front of the coffee table for the third time that day folding yet another massive pile of laundry. Embry was passed out in the oversized rocking chair next to the couch with Ephriam asleep on his chest. 

Even in the general peace of the warm house as the evening crept in, the tension could have been cut with a knife. Paul was in the open kitchen that faced the living room prepping dinner for the group of them that were currently there. His hands were deftly moving between simmering pots and pans, his eyes flitting up to Maya every now and then. Maya was trying to keep her gaze focused on the pile of clothes before her as she folded them. 

It had been five days since their fight. Five days of little to no talking between them. Even Keye had started to become worried. However, she had been equally as pissed when Maya had told her why they weren’t talking—the fact that Paul was asking her to stay even for a semester touched every nerve Keye had. But still, to see the two of them together but very adamantly trying not to speak or look at one another was…uncomfortable. For everyone. 

So it became a game to some, to bet on who would break first. Maya ignored them for the most part when they would chuckle and nod toward the couple after rounds, always at least three feet between them. 

“You see?” Brady would say under his breath as he watched the couple stiffly approach. 

“Still? Jesus,” Jared would reply in an equally low voice, agitated. 

“I give it two more days,” Colin said around a cup of coffee. 

“Will you guys shut up?” Jeremy whispered. 

Paul would most certainly hear them as well, but he would ignore them. His gaze constantly shifted to Maya—watching when she sat down, his eyes following her as she floated around the house or disappeared up stairs, asking her in a quiet mumble if she needed anything before he left to which she always said no. 

“Two more days my ass,” Quil sighed in equal annoyance. They had every reason to be annoyed, to be fair. When Paul was feeling off, it seeped into every interaction in the pack. And he’d keep such a tight lid on his thoughts in the collective pack mind that they couldn’t even figure out what the problem was, let alone how to counsel him on it. Rounds lately had been a tense and aggravated affair and the wolves were ready to snap. 

While the distance between Maya and Paul was a constant, what they couldn’t avoid was the unconscious pull of the imprint. Maya would find herself in the kitchen or the backyard or wherever Paul happened to be for one reason or another. She’d gotten up no less than three times already to cross to the kitchen quietly and grab a water, a yogurt cup, and then a spoon for her yogurt. She moved around him like a moon orbiting a planet, but somehow, she’d always find herself within his reach. And he would reach for her absently, as if on reflex, his hand floating to her lower back as she rummaged through the silverware drawer next to him, or setting his broad hand on her arm or coasting across her shoulder blades as he’d move around her to grab something from a cabinet higher up. 

Every touch felt like an electric shock to her nervous system–something sent to wake her up from this haze of frustration. But she refused to, not without Paul apologizing and telling her he had been wrong to tell her to stay here. That probably wouldn’t be happening anytime soon if they kept this up. 

The worst part about it though was that everytime he did touch her, it made Maya yearn for him, to crave his touch again, to want it to last just a little bit longer the next time, until she was gravitating toward him without thinking about it. And instead, she found herself returning his touches without meaning to. Everytime she moved around him, she reached out to graze her hand across his back, or down his arm. 

Maya stood beside Paul at the kitchen island while he chopped up vegetables and herbs as she prepared a marinade for the pork chops they were grilling that evening for a pack dinner. The tension was palpable between them, but under that tension was a taut thread, ready to snap and bring Maya hurdling like a slingshot back into Paul’s embrace. She swallowed thickly as she darted her eyes to his wide hands as he expertly sliced golden potatoes in half and pushed them toward a pile of herb blend. 

“Do you know when Ephy last ate?” 

Over the past five days Becks’ and Jacob’s son had taken on many nicknames, as if the pack was trying them all on and seeing what stuck. Little B, Will, Eph, Fry boy, Poop machine, Baby, and Maya’s personal favorite—Potato face. In the end, they had all settled on some variation of Ephriam and Maya was prone to calling him Ephy, like Becks.

Paul continued chopping for a few more seconds, not answering, thickening the tension between them as if willing that thread to snap. He glanced up at the clock that hung in the kitchen and said softly, “About an hour and a half ago. Jacob said something about a bath while he slept so I’m sure they’ll be down in a bit.” 

“Mm,” Maya replied noncommittally, not remembering why she asked the question in the first place. She continued eyeballing her wet ingredients into a large bowl willing the thrumming of her heart to quiet at being so close to Paul but not letting herself touch him. But she didn’t have to worry about that for long—Paul had stopped chopping momentarily, setting down the knife and gliding his tall frame behind her, his chest ever so slightly pressed up against her back. She could feel the scorching heat of him clearly through her t-shirt. When he leaned slightly into her to grab the bottle of olive oil on the other side of her, he let his hand gently graze the underside of her arm, sending goosebumps up her arm and down her back. 

“Excuse me,” he said lowly, gruff and right next to her ear. She could feel his warm breath against her hair and in the next moment, he was back to standing next to her, less than a foot away and chopping again. Maya tried to calm her breathing to seem unaffected by the man she was very diligently trying to ignore. To dislike, even for just a few more days. 

But her face was flushed and her nerves felt on edge. Maya had to remind herself of the task at hand and continue prepping the sauce. The corner of Paul’s mouth perked up in a soft smile as the olive oil went untouched. 


After dinner, Maya quickly made sure the task list was updated on the butcher block paper hanging in the entryway for tomorrow. Paul was saying some goodbyes and wrapping up round duties for the evening. It had started to rain outside and Maya squinted at the dark, stormy evening hoping she’d get a decent night’s sleep tonight. She’d still been sleeping in the guest room and the enormity of the bed always left her feeling slightly exposed without Paul’s giant body beside her. 

“Babe,” Paul’s warm voice floated through the foyer and Maya looked over her shoulder quickly at him. He was holding out his light flannel long-sleeve to her. The temperature had dropped considerably with the summer storm and Maya shivered just at the thought of running to the car in the cold rain. 

So, she crossed the short distance to him and let him help her into his flannel. She rolled back the sleeves just a little but let the fabric envelope her in the soft clean earth and citrus scent of him. 

“Thanks,” Maya said, hoping her voice sounded indifferent. She slipped on her ankle length rainboots and grabbed her bag. 

“I’ll drive,” he said as she opened the door to the onslaught of rain. 

“Fine,” she said softly, barely able to hear her own voice over the rain. “Bye guys! I’ll see you tomorrow!” she called over her shoulder and under Paul’s arm as he braced the doorway, his other hand outstretched for the keys. A holler of goodbyes rang back at her, making her smile. 

After digging in her bag and depositing the keys in Paul’s outstretched hand, they both jogged toward her Jeep. Paul’s arm floated around her waist, snatching her up so she didn’t splash into the gathering puddle in the driveway, before setting her back down next to the passenger door and wrenching it open for her. No sooner had Maya jumped into the seat than Paul had snapped the door shut behind her and jogged around the front of the car toward the driverside. Maya watched enraptured as the wet fabric of his t-shirt clung to every line of muscles in his chest and back, hiis black hair wet and slick against his forehead. When he jumped into the driver’s seat, she was only snapped from her appreciation of him when he said “What?” to her open mouthed gaze. 

“Nothing,” she said, snapping her eyes to the windshield. Paul didn’t question her any further and quickly started the car up, turning the heat on and navigating them back toward home. 

Maya needed to get a grip. She was acting like she’d never even seen Paul before. They’d spent months apart before while at school and she was never this….needy. Maya felt her thighs clench together involuntarily as the heady scent of a rain-soaked Paul infiltrated every one of her senses. Forget pheromones, this was unreal. She tried to take deep breaths through her mouth, but the scent of him settled on her tongue, something sweet and warm. 

The drive home only took ten minutes, but Maya couldn’t help herself from bolting from the car as soon as it rolled to stop in front of their blue bungalow. She’d blame the rain or her need to change out of the damp clothes—anything to justify her sprint up the stairs and into the sanctuary of the bathroom to get some breathing room. This was ridiculous. Maya felt ridiculous hiding from her imprint. She locked the bathroom door and took some deep breaths to try and clear her senses. When a soft knock sounded on the door followed by Paul’s gentle: “Maya?” she crossed quickly to the shower and turned it on. 

A battle of wills , she reminded herself. One that she felt she was slowly losing. But with that realization, it set something gnawing deep within her. Something she didn’t want to look at just yet. 

Maya took the longest shower she could muster, her warm brown skin tinged pink from the hot water. She took her time combing her hair out and layering in fancy hair care products she had picked up in Seattle the last time she was there with Paul. She did a face mask, an eye mask, and even dabbed on some facial oil Keye had given her randomly from her huge overstock of skincare. 

Finally, when she couldn’t put it off any longer, Maya squared her shoulders, tightened the towel around her and unlocked the bathroom door. She pulled it swiftly open, almost expecting Paul to be leaning against the wall next to the doorway or sitting on the bed, but the room was empty and dark. She raised an eyebrow and crossed the room to her dresser. There was no point in sneaking—if Paul was anywhere in or near the house, he’d hear every sound Maya made regardless. So, she quickly dressed in her chosen pajamas for the evening—black cotton boyshorts and an oversized Clearwater Coffee t-shirt—and retreated across the short landing to the guest bedroom. Once the door closed with a small clack behind her, she let out a deep breath, finally at ease as she made her way to the bed. 

She never craved the empty bed she’d chosen this past week, but for tonight it was a welcome relief after the tension of the evening. That’s why, when Maya’s head hit the pillow and she’d barely covered herself with the soft down comforter, exhaustion pulled over her fast and heavy. 


The cool lap of the waves pushed against Maya’s bare thighs, splashing between her legs and soaking her. She felt the soft push and pull of the tide around her legs and swayed to its tempting rhythm. The cold expanse of the ocean touched every part of her skin even though she wasn’t submerged, but Maya felt entirely wet. The rocking of the sea started to feel too much all at once and her knees felt like buckling. That would be it then—she’d be swallowed by the ocean, pulled into it’s dark depths and never be seen again. 

But then, a warm body pressed flush against her back. She was only thigh deep in the water, but the chill she felt just moments ago, the exhaustion plaguing her limbs melted away as warm arms wrapped around her and held her tightly to that broad chest she knew so well. Her hands traveled up his forearms curiously, Maya’s eyes still looking out over the expanse of the ocean. She felt solid now, Paul’s comfortable weight anchoring her to the spot so that the waves couldn’t pull her under anymore. She felt the soft press of his lips on her shoulder and closed her eyes against it. For being so warm, she was still so wet, the waves lapping up between her thighs. Maya let out an involuntary hum of pleasure, leaning her head back against his chest—the juxtaposition of cold ocean and hot imprint was almost too much, but she reveled in it. 

The thought that this could be a dream crossed her mind and all too soon, her heart sank. This Paul, the one anchoring her to the spot in the tide was meant to be here, meant to partner with her through life. So why couldn’t real life Paul be that way too? His hands were firm but gentle against her waist as he held her still, his lips trailing softly down her shoulder and up her neck. 

Just a little more of this , Maya begged her subconscious mind as she felt herself careening toward that little promise of release. That’s never how it goes though does it? Just as Maya felt herself roll her hips back against the firm form of Paul in her dreams, her eyes popped open. 

The dark bedroom slowly came into view around her and she let out a huff of irritation. Soon the warmth would evaporate and she’d be cold and alone in this giant bed again. But as the seconds ticked on and Maya more firmly fell into consciousness, the warm weight of Paul stayed. Maya glanced down and noticed his arm was draped over her side and she was neatly slotted against his body, her ass nestled just above his groin. His arm was threaded under her pillow and when she chanced a glance over her shoulder at him, she saw the obvious signs of sleep etched across his beautiful angular face. 

When he had snuck in here she wasn’t sure. She must have forgotten to lock the door in her haste to get to bed or maybe Paul had finally gotten fed up and jimmied the lock. Still, it wasn’t an unwelcome presence. She nestled deeper against him and felt him grunt in sleepy recognition, his arm tightening around her waist and pulling her tighter against him. Maya froze, feeling the taut length of his body pressed against her soft curves and then the very obvious hardness pressed against her inner thigh. A rush of want coursed through her and bit her lip to help keep her mind steady. 

Maya wanted so desperately to will herself back to sleep. This was the first time she had slept in the same bed with her boyfriend in five days and the eagerness at which her body responded to his presence was somewhat embarrassing. If she hadn’t just woken up from a dream where she was on the precipice of full blown release, maybe the need to roll her hips against him wouldn’t be as strong as it was, but right now, all Maya wanted was some sort of friction. Anything to quell the growing ache between her thighs. Maybe, if she positioned her body just so, slotting him between her legs where she could slowly grind against him, she’d have enough to put her over the edge. Her mind was not in the right place if she thought he wouldn’t wake up from her ministrations. Oh, well. 

Maya lifted her leg ever so gently and helped thread him between her legs. He was in sweats and the tent of his pants provided less friction than she would like, but still, Maya rolled her hips back ever so lightly and could feel the slightest bit of pressure against her clit as she stroked along the length of him. She was a woman possessed, ravenous, needy, someone she’d never met and after a few snaps of her hips back against him, she felt his grip tighten on her hips. She realized in that moment that she didn’t care if she was still angry with him—the only thing that mattered at this moment was satiating that ache. 

Paul snaked his hand underneath her boyshorts and let one finger softly glide through her seam. Maya was unsurprised at how wet she was and she twitched and jutted her hips back against him, silently begging for more. With a growl, Paul sat up, bringing Maya with him and perching her on his lap, his chest still flush with her back. He quickly ripped the t-shirt from her body and let his hands squeeze across her ribcage and hips. 

“Off,” he said as he tugged at her boyshorts. Maya, in a haze stood between his legs and slipped her shorts off kicking them to the side. Paul yanked down his sweats in the process and when Maya sat back down on his lap, the friction she so desperately sought before was there now. Paul was gazing over Maya’s shoulder and looking ahead and it took a minute for Maya to realize that he was staring into the wide arched mirror that she had placed against the wall. He could see everything in the bright moonlight, the previous storm having abated. Maya’s mouth hung open in desperation and disbelief. She barely recognized herself, her hair tangled and falling around her shoulders, her face shadowed and desperate, her eyes hooded and dark with lust.

Paul ran his hands down her sides to her thighs and when he gently placed either of her legs on the outside of his, she hooked her feet behind his calves. She watched herself in the mirror in awe as Paul slowly spread his legs apart, spreading Maya even further. She was dripping, her arousal embarrassingly, sweetly on display for him. He let one hand coast down to her throbbing core where he pressed quick, soft circles to her clit before letting his middle finger press down her seam and inside of her. Maya let out a soft whimper and he clamped his other hand roughly around her breast. She needed more, so much more and Paul wasted no time removing his finger and angling her hips just so, so he could sheath himself completely inside of her in one languid stroke. 

They both groaned at his first thrust and Maya was thankful for the hand he pressed against her abdomen to keep her upright. He started to slowly thrust in and out of her, and Maya’s eyes were glued to the mirror watching as he disappeared within her, pulling him deeply and clenching around him hungrily. 

“I know you need to come, Maya,” he said against her temple. Maya nearly startled at his voice, rough and intimate and so deliciously deep. She tried to stifle the sob of pleasure rising in her throat but it broke over her without warning. Paul groaned and she watched as his face briefly contorted as she clenched hard around him. When he regained himself, she felt his hand on her abdomen slide down to seek that bundle of nerves that would push her over the edge. Another sob wracked through her when he pressed against her clit and put firm pressure against her lower abdomen so she could more distinctly feel the weight of him inside her. She felt so full and tight around him that she thought she’d explode on the spot. 

Paul pulled her chin up so she was looking in the mirror again. “You’re going to come for me Maya, and then you’re going to come again,” his voice held tight and she trembled at the subtle command. “You’re going to tell me after you come who you belong to,” he groaned as he shifted himself inside her, angled at just the right spot and she tightened around him gasping,”because I need to hear it baby.” 

Maya was already hurtling toward her first orgasm at his words, the knot was loosening in her belly and she could feel that heat rise to her cheeks, “And you’re going to watch baby, you’re going to watch yourself as you come undone for me.” Maya’s mouth fell open in sheer ecstasy as pleasure wracked through her body. Her first orgasm crashed through her soaking Paul’s thighs as she screamed in release. She watched her face devolve into pure bliss and she couldn’t help watching Paul as he watched her, a look of pure desire, devotion, and something dark flooding his eyes. 

When she came down, her body limp and held up by Paul’s grasp, her thighs still stretched open as he pumped slowly in and out of her, fucking her through her orgasm, he pinched her nipple to bring her awareness back to him. Her eyes focused in and out for a second before he said gruffly in her ear making her shiver, tightening the coil in her belly again. 

“Who do you belong to, baby?” His voice was strong, firm, with just a hint of need in it and it painted Maya in a brilliant new color. 

“You,” she breathed out as another moan cracked her voice in two. 

“Good, good girl,” he said, his own voice breaking between soft grunts as he picked up his pace. “You’re going to give me one more,” he said, nipping at that soft spot on her neck. 

“I-I can’t…Oh Paul, please,” she begged even though she didn’t quite know what she was begging for, “Please, Paul. There…ah!” Even as exhaustion flooded her limbs, Maya was still able to roll her hips ever so gently against his groin. 

“One more, My. You can give me one more,” he urged as he began thrusting up against her roughly, the obscene wet noises from between Maya’s legs barely registered as she careened toward her next orgasm. “Open your eyes honey, look at yourself,” Paul's grip under her chin tightened and Maya’s eyes snapped open. 

He was moving in her so fast that she was nearly vibrating with pleasure, her breasts bouncing quickly with each snap of his hips. The sharp slap of her ass against his lap as he pounded into her mixed with the warm wet sounds of him pulling as far out as he could before sliding quickly back into her.

“So pretty,” he said breathlessly. 

Maya lost it again, her thighs shaking this time from being held open so long and her muscles contracting tightly around his thick cock that punched against her cervix sending her into a full spiral. “Fuck!” he grunted. Maya watched as he came undone now, that pure look of devotion devolving into high bliss and dark need as he snapped his hips, his grip tight on her body. With one final thrust he spilled inside of her with a groan. Maya couldn’t help but feel that familiar rush of euphoria wind through her as the imprint thrummed. 

A deep sigh left her lips as Paul held her tightly to him, his cock still twitching inside of her, unloading a few more ropes within her before stilling. He leaned back on his arms and Maya pulled her feet out from behind his calves and slowly stood up. He groaned as she came off of him. Maya was still trying to catch her breath when he sat up and pulled on her hips. She faced him and he planted his face against her abdomen taking deep, panting breaths.

Relief. She couldn’t help but feel relief as she carded her fingers through his hair and let out a small laugh. He looked up at her with curious eyes and she took the opportunity to lean down, pressing a kiss to his lips for the first time in nearly a week. 

A soft moan emanated from behind his lips and Maya felt her eyes burn with the promise of tears. The release she felt just now couldn’t erase their argument or the tight line forming between them as he coaxed her to make an impossible choice, but she hadn’t realized how much she had needed him, just being near him. His thumbs rubbed gently on her ribcage under the swell of her breasts and she breathed a sigh of relief when she pulled back. He stared up at her, his dark eyes shining in the soft moonlight. 

“Will you come to bed?” he said, his voice hoarse and pleading. Maya stroked his cheek and nodded. Relief poured across his face and it sent a wave of joy fluttering through her belly. Gratefully, Paul pressed an open mouth kiss between her breasts before standing and carrying her bridal style across the hall to their bedroom. 

 

Chapter 49: Where there's a Will, there's a way

Chapter Text

I’ve always thought I was a great communicator. My high school and college essays can attest to that according to my teachers. My parents would say that they’ve never not known how I’m feeling or what I’m thinking. My friends came to me for advice, so sure that I would shoot them straight while being mindful of their feelings. I’m easy to understand even if I might be hard to read sometimes. Well, at least according to Paul I can be hard to read. But this…this is new territory. I’ve never left something unsaid and opted for something physical to work out an issue rather than talk it through. But this last month or so has got me thinking—maybe I don’t need to say anything at all. 


 

July’s heat did nothing to slow down the month. It passed in a whirlwind for Maya, tangled and sweaty and persistent in Paul’s grasp. Maya didn’t think she’d ever had so much sex in her entire time with Paul combined compared to this last month or so. He was everywhere all of the time and she honestly preferred it to the silent distant thing they were doing before. 

The intensity of the pack’s rounds had finally died down after Becks had had Ephriam. Jacob was more willing to work with the Cullens after he understood their intentions and the help was welcomed by all. They were more effectively able to scout the perimeter with the Cullens’ help and gain insight into the goings-on of the Volturi with a quick call to Alice Cullen. 

Relaxed rounds meant a more relaxed Paul. Maya was able to move about the reservation as she pleased without a chaperone and Paul resumed his trips to Seattle for client work. Things were almost back to normal. Almost. 

Paul and Maya had refused to talk about anything related to their most recent fight—the one where Paul said she had to stay on rez next semester. Maya thought maybe he had let it go or wrote it off as a heat of the moment kind of thing and was hoping she would forget. But, he’d continued to make the odd comment at pack dinners like: “We’ll be able to run baby interference at the bonfire this fall.” and “Did Keye have to stay in the dorms her first semester at UW?” 

Maya would raise an eyebrow but not pursue the questions further than their answers given from their intended recipient. The statements were just vague enough that he might have been speaking for only himself or out of curiosity, but something gnawed at Maya—the unresolved conflict squatting in her belly and rearing its ugly head every once in a while. 

That horrible feeling would temporarily evaporate however whenever she and Paul found themselves alone. The silence would hang in the air between them, Maya would put her pen down after revising yet another internship application, and Paul would cross the room, or pull the car over, or hoist her up onto the counter and clear her mind of any little thing she was thinking about. He had an uncanny ability to do that and Maya felt herself craving the connection of the imprint more and more. As if at any moment that good feeling would run out. Maya was aware that there was indeed a clock ticking down on their time to have the conversation, but right now she couldn’t bring herself to say anything. 

“So…seems like you two are back to normal,” Becks said one late August afternoon as she sat leaned up against the headboard while breastfeeding Ephriam. Maya was laying on her stomach across the massive bed after finishing putting away a massive amount of laundry in Becks’ room. 

“Mmm,” Maya replied noncommittally, hoping the afternoon storm promised would arrive and lull her off to sleep. She could feel Becks’ eyes on her but Maya refused to make eye contact. Were they back to normal? No. But this was better than whatever was happening before. They were…going in circles, avoiding the thing they dreaded most. 

“Are you staying then?” Becks asked. If Maya didn’t know any better, she’d think there was a hint of hope in her voice. She finally folded her arms under her chin and looked up at Becks. Ephriam was sucking away contentedly, his eyes closed as he drifted off toward sleep and Becks looked like the picture of happiness. Maya sighed. 

“You know I can’t,” she finally said after a long pause. Becks nodded somewhat sad and then forced a smile. 

“I know. But Paul is going to be—,” Becks started. 

“Paul will be fine,” Maya said quickly, hoping to shut down the conversation. She realized she wasn’t ready to have this conversation, not even with Becks. The thought of what might happen when she actually left for Columbia in a few short weeks was too nerve wracking to even think about. 

“Maya,” Becks said in that soft, comforting mothering tone she’d always had but had just recently fully leaned into. Maya groaned in response. “Fine, we won’t talk about it.” 

“Thank you,” she sighed in relief, closing her eyes again. 

“Kim’s pregnant,” Becks blurted out. Maya’s eyes snapped open and she pushed herself up onto her knees. 

“What?!” Maya nearly screeched. Becks quickly cupped her hand over Ephriam’s ear and winced. “Sorry,” Maya whispered. “What the fuck? When did that happen?” 

“She just told me a couple of days ago. They’re waiting until the next pack dinner to announce it. But I couldn’t keep it to myself any longer,” Becks was trying to contain her excitement and Maya was trying to quell her dread. 

“I thought she was on birth control? And how has Jared not fucking spilled the beans yet?” Maya continued whispering. 

“He told Jacob when Kim told me and so Jacob decided to give him some time off of rounds to be with Kim,” Becks shifted Ephriam in her arms and he started suckling with fervor in response. “As far as the birth control thing goes, I had no idea they were trying to get pregnant. Or when Kim got off of birth control. But…she seems really happy.” 

“So do you,” Maya couldn’t help pointing out. Becks pulled a face, a cool ‘So what?’ look that Maya rolled her eyes at. 

“I think Sadie might be too,” Becks whispered almost conspiratorially. 

“WHAT?!” Maya full blown shouted in surprise. Ephriam squeezed his eyes tight and started to fuss. She immediately felt bad as Becks curled her body over Ephriam, swapping him over to her other breast and attempting to rock and soothe him back toward sleep. “Fuck, I’m sorry.” Maya whispered. Becks shook her head, waving her off. 

“It’s fine,” Becks whispered back, her eyes glued to her son. She smiled warmly as he calmed and returned to feeding. “I have no proof—just a feeling. They’re moving the wedding up by a few months and Seth’s been…more sentimental with Ephy lately. It’s probably nothing and maybe it’s just me selfishly hoping everyone gets baby fever so that it’s not just me and Emily in the trenches,” she joked. Maya swallowed hard and backed off of the bed. “It’s just a joke, My.” Becks said seeing the look on Maya’s face. 

“Yeah, I know,” she replied, her voice a little higher pitched than normal. She tried to straighten out the soft knit blanket across the bed to busy herself, wanting to suddenly be anywhere but here. She’d never heard Becks talk like this before and while she knew it was all in good fun, she started to feel like they were well and truly on different paths now. Jacob suddenly entered the room, his large frame taking up so much space even in the expanse of the large owner’s suite. 

“Everything okay up here?” Jacob asked, as he strode over to Becks with a warm, satisfied expression on his face. He leaned down to kiss her and then kiss the top of Ephriam’s head gently. 

“Fine, Maya’s just a little shocked by my hot mom gossip,” Becks giggled and Jacob immediately lit up at the sound. 

“You are a hot mom,” he joked and Becks rolled her eyes, even though her face brightened with pleasure at the compliment. 

“That’s not what I—,” she laughed as Jacob nuzzled into her neck and kissed her bare shoulder. “I told Maya about Kim and my suspicions about Sadie.” Jacob pulled back and let out a laugh. 

“Oh that,” Jacob replied, looking over his shoulder at Maya for the first time. “Yeah, you better clear out of here soon or else you’ll catch it too.” Maya groaned and shook her head. 

“You guys are gross,” she turned on her heel and walked toward the door. Jacob and Becks were laughing together as Maya retreated but before she went to shut the door behind her, she watched as Jacob stroked Becks’ cheek and said something low under his breath. Maya couldn’t hear him but whatever he’d said had made Becks simply melt as she leaned into his hand and glanced down at their son. Maya closed the door just as their lips softly met one anothers in the low afternoon light of the room. 


Maya leaned back on her hands and threw her head back in an audible gasp. She could feel the coil tightening in her belly, one that promised to melt and offer her delicious release as Paul lapped at her. 

She had wandered into his workshop that morning in her bikini and some shorts to tell him she was heading down to the beach to read and relax for a couple of hours. But she had been…delayed when Paul had beckoned her closer and snatched her up onto his work bench. The triangles of her bikini top had been pushed to the side to expose her breasts and Paul had ripped her shorts off and pushed aside the bottoms of her bikini so he could access her heat. Maya moaned as Paul sunk one finger, quickly followed by another into her core as he sucked at the bead of her clit. The constant ache that called out for him started to pulse and grow in her belly and Maya’s breath came quick and fast. He twisted his fingers and hooked up, hitting a particularly sensitive spot that he knew so well within her. 

Maya’s hand dropped to his head as she took a fistful of his hair and held him impossibly closer. He was slurping and pulling at her lips, pressing his tongue flat and groaning hard as she soaked his face. Paul squeezed her thigh with his other hand and Maya felt herself spiral toward release, her legs shaking around his head and over his shoulders. He drank every bit of it down and slowly removed his fingers as he stood up. Paul palmed at his erection as he watched Maya slowly come back down to Earth toward him. 

He leaned forward and pressed his warm lips to hers letting her taste herself. Maya savored this feeling of relief. The jingling of his belt buckle brought Maya back to her senses as he pulled his jeans down below his hips and began lining himself up with her center. Paul gripped her hips and slid her slightly forward and Maya’s eyes flickered up to Paul’s face which was shaped in hungry concentration. 

“Um,” Maya said. Paul glanced at her, his cock slipping through her folds and spreading her slick across his tip. 

“What? You okay?” he said, suddenly concerned. His other hand was holding onto the back of her neck to steady her in the position he had arranged her in. 

“Yeah, um, maybe we could,” Maya sucked in a sharp breath before looking down at him again hovering over her entrance. “Maybe we could use a condom?” she asked hesitantly. 

“A condom?” he asked, confused. Maya nodded slowly and Paul tilted his head, the confusion still apparent in his furrowed brow, “Why would we wear a condom when—” something dawned on him and his eyes grew wide, “Are you not on birth control anymore?” he asked, his voice thick with heat as a dark glint came over his eyes. 

“”No! I am, I absolutely am,” Maya rushed to say. She felt caught, like Little Red Riding Hood in the wolf’s grasp. He shifted closer, the head of his cock pressing and tentatively stretching her opening, “Ah!” she looked down between them and then back up at Paul hurriedly, “I just want to be…extra careful because…” Maya blushed, the warmth spreading across her face. Paul’s thumb stroked across the length of her neck as he watched her curiously. 

“Because?” he prompted after she didn’t continue. Maya closed her eyes tight in embarrassment and then opened them again. 

“Because Kim is pregnant and Sadie might be too and I just don’t want to take any chances,” she said in a rush. Maya opened her eyes when the silence stretched between them and looked up into Paul’s face. He’d made no effort to move away from her and he was smiling a sweet, indulging grin at her. “What?” she asked incredulously as her face settled into a frown. That had Paul chuckling and Maya huffed in annoyance. 

“No offense, babe, but we’ve been going at it non-stop for a month and you haven’t gotten pregnant. And I’m not going to wear a condom for some superstitious baby fever nonsense when you’re on birth control,” he said it all so warmly, so endearing, so convincing.

“But what if—” Maya’s mouth fell open in a gasp, stopped short as Paul sunk into his hilt connecting his hips with hers. His grip on her hip and neck tightened as he held her to him and brought his lips to hover over hers. 

“Hush,” he said in that low voice that made heat instantly pool in her belly, “I’m not wearing a condom. Not when you feel this good,” he groaned as he slowly pulled out and sunk back in as he began to thrust into her slowly. Maya’s eyes fluttered closed at the feeling of fullness within her. Stretched around him, her head cleared and she felt safe and important. When he picked up his pace, grunting and pressing his lips to hers, she let out a heady moan and brought her arm up to snake around his neck and pull him flush against her. She wanted him closer, closer, so much closer. 

Her heart pounded as he fucked into her wet heat and groaned sweetly in her ear, telling her how good she was doing, how well she was taking him. Maya shut her eyes tight as the blind pleasure washed over her. His hand tightened on her hip as he tugged her toward him faster, not letting up on his rhythm even though Maya was slowly going limp in his arms as her orgasm rinsed her out. 

Paul moaned into her mouth, swallowing the soft sighs and sounds of his name on her lips as he slid quickly in and out of her. He wanted more, so much more that he couldn’t tell her and that promise of heat and pleasure and the unspoken, unknowable future. Paul gritted his teeth before pulling Maya’s bottom lip into his mouth and nipping at it, eliciting another one of her heart stopping moans. He was trying to ground himself, keep himself here because it was becoming too easy to slip into this feral, needy side of himself when he was buried in her like this, all wet and wanting and soft. He often found himself slipping, losing some semblance of control and he knew he couldn’t do that with her, not with Maya. 

“Paul,” she gasped as he angled within her just right. His brain buzzed with a pleasant hum that traveled down and spilled out of his mouth. It reverberated against his chest and filled him with the most bright, light feeling. Not yet. 

He slipped from her and she gave almost a relieved, satisfied noise, her eyes drooping. He chuckled, his mouth pulling up in a satisfied grin, “Not so fast, little red bikini,” he chided pulling her off the table only to swivel her so she faced it before grabbing underneath her right knee and pulling it up to rest on the table. 

“Paul, I— oh— I can’t,” she breathed, bracing one hand on the edge of the table and one looped up behind her and around the back of Paul’s neck. Paul leaned down ever so slightly and gripped either side of her hips before pressing firmly down against her hip bone to cant her ass up. 

“I know,” he said gently, as he pressed his lips to her temple. “But you always say that, and then, you always give me one…” he groaned as he slipped back inside her from behind as she whined leaning her head back on his shoulder, “More,” he huffed as he bottomed out. Paul let his hand coast from her hip to her lower belly and started to thrust, feeling the gentle bulge of himself seated deep within her as she whimpered and shut her eyes tight, bracing herself for another descent into blinding white, star popping, pleasure. Paul felt warm and firm behind her as his hips slapped against the curve of her ass. He held her to him tightly, helping to balance and angle her on the table so he could somehow sink deeper, his hand fanned out across her belly. 

“Paul…I’m—” Maya huffed, rolling her hips back against his that returned a sweet stuttering moan from him. 

“I’ve got you baby,” he promised. Maya’s eyes rolled into the back of her head as she let out a wail, letting it all go—all the stress and pent up frustration and unspoken argument between them melted away and she was so overcome with it. She clenched around him tightly and felt that warm gush between her thighs as he groaned against her ear. 

“Do you want me to come in you?” his husky, rough voice sparked bursts of light behind her eyes and Maya sighed in the aftershocks of her orgasm. “You need to tell me, My.” His voice sounded pained, urgent. She nodded but he continued, “Tell me out loud, baby,” a sharp hiss pulled on that last word as he steadily thrust in and out of her, her walls clutching him hungrily. 

“Yes,” she breathed out, the voice not quite sounding like herself, “I want you to come in me, Paul. Please, please I need—” Maya’s voice was cut short by Paul’s hand snaking around her neck and putting firm warm pressure there. Her whole body lit up with sensation as he started to pound into her roughly from behind, each time hitting that sweet, sore spot in her that threatened to take her over the edge again. He slammed into her with two final thrusts and before emptying every last drop into her and Maya’s brained hummed with that familiar feeling of completion. He kept her tight against him as he caught his breath, keeping her plugged full of him. They were covered in sweat, both of their chests rising and falling in time together and Maya was fighting the urge to pass out from pure bliss.

Paul’s hands floated down to her sides and kissed along her shoulder and neck for a moment reveling in this feeling of keeping her full. “You can go to the beach later, yeah?” he said gently, running his fingertips gently along her ribs making Maya shiver. She nodded sleepily and Paul took it as his cue to carefully pull out of her with a hiss and scoop her up into his arms. He was pretty sure she was already asleep by the time he gently put her down on the cool leather couch and covered her bikini-clad body with a light throw blanket. 


“What?!” Sadie’s mouth fell open in shocked amusement as she let out a little laugh. Maya’s hand stalled over the fresh picked spinach at the Forks Farmers Market. 

“So..you’re not then?” Maya asked as she grabbed a few bundles and put them in her cloth tote. 

“No, I’m not pregnant. But I think it’s hilarious that Becks thought so,” Sadie was sorting through bushels of radishes and shot Maya her sweet smile. 

“Forgive her. She’s got baby brain and the fact that Kim is too—” Maya clamped her mouth shut suddenly and whispered a “shit” under her breath but Sadie was shocked once again. 

“Kim!? Kim Cameron is pregnant?!” Sadie shrieked. Maya’s eyes darted around the small crowd milling about the farmer’s market. Not many people from the reservation were here but she motioned to Sadie to keep her voice down regardless. 

“She’s announcing it tonight. Fuck, I wasn’t supposed to say anything. Don’t say anything, please!” Maya pleaded, laughter still bubbling in her throat from her misstep. Sadie shook her head reassuringly. 

“I promise. But goodness, I almost can’t believe it,” she said incredulously. 

“Tell me about it,” Maya breathed out in disbelief herself as she gathered some baskets of cherry tomatoes. 

“Kim was so outspoken against settling down to have kids until she got her head nurse position. I thought they were still at least three, maybe four years out the way she was talking about it,” Sadie continued. Maya pondered that for a moment. She remembered what felt like a lifetime ago when she was sitting in that exam room with Kim talking about birth control and how she was so adamantly on her side about not having kids until she was ready despite the council’s eagerness. 

“Maybe it’s just the right time for them?” Maya offered, not wholly convinced herself. 

“Must be, I’m sure Jared is completely thrilled. He’s wanted them for a while now,” Sadie picked through some fresh morel mushrooms. 

“Really?” Maya asked. She arched an eyebrow in curiosity at her. Sadie gave her a look, one that spelled out to Maya how little she truly knew of pack dynamics. But Sadie was kind, always soft in her delivery. 

“Yeah, he’s mentioned it a couple of times at dinner or just in passing. He and Paul are always huddled in the kitchen together talking with Sam, I feel like,” Sadie quipped, “Oh! Strawberries!” Maya watched her cross to the fruit stand and stayed stock still. Paul was talking to Jared about having kids? Or counseling him on having kids? Or…Maya paused. She didn’t know what he talked to Jared about. Or any of the pack for that matter. Because she wasn’t here. “I can make my famous strawberry shortcake tonight! What do you think?” Sadie positively buzzed with excitement. Maya swallowed hard and tried to set her face into a smile as she nodded.

That knot started to form in her belly again, tightening at the realization unfolding yet again that she was planning to leave in a few short weeks. And her and Paul had yet to have that discussion. Their communication stalled, always overshadowed by their physical need to connect instead and further put off the inevitable. She felt like she was on the edge of something, something that could ruin everything if she wasn’t careful. 

Maya shrugged on her dark blue leather jacket and quickly swung half of her hair up into a silk scrunchy. She quickly patted on some lip stain and jogged over to the bed where are laptop lay open the final packaged file of her last internship application. Maya scanned frantically over the list of requirements and checked each off in her head. 


“My! Let’s go! We’re already late, baby!” Paul shouted from downstairs. Maya made one more pass over the attachments to ensure she had everything there and then clicked submit. 

“Coming!” she shouted back. Maya quickly shut the laptop and bounded down the stairs where Paul was waiting, hands in his pockets. 

“Ready?” he said softly. 

“Last pack dinner, you know it,” Maya quipped as she reached around him to grab her bag. 

“Right,” he said in a strange voice. But before Maya could question him, he wrapped an arm around her shoulder and pulled her to his chest before planting a kiss on top of her head. Maya let her hands rest on the sides of his abdomen and breathed him in for just a second. The fissure she felt growing between them this summer had semi-sealed itself with this tiny flicker of hope. Hope that he was finally coming to terms with the fact that she was going back to the east coast in just one short week. Back to school and away from the abnormal life she’d been living up to this moment. “Come on,” he said quietly as rubbed up and down her arms gently and steered her toward the door. Maya smiled up at him and wrapped her arm around his waist, allowing herself to be ferried toward the car.


The car ride to Sam and Emily’s was quiet, but Maya was content as the soft rain splattered across the windshield and she held Paul’s hand. There was a deep calm that seemed to settle over her as if everything that had remained unspoken between the two of them, in this moment, simply evaporated. Maya felt almost whole. 

Paul must have felt the same because he kept bringing the back of her hand up to his lips as he drove as he wove gently down the rain slicked streets. Once they arrived at Sam and Emily’s, the early evening rain gave way to a soft evening light that made the forest surrounding the small bungalow erupt with the soothing sounds of frogs and crickets, and the shuffling of wildlife between the ferns. 

They were greeted as they usually were on pack dinner nights—to hoots and hollers and hellos. Becks stood in the small dining room, cradling Ephriam with Jacob’s arm around her, chatting with Kim and Jared. Maya smiled and waved at them and let herself be enveloped into the warm chattering home. 

Time always passed differently at pack dinners and even with the home now packed with so many wolves and imprints alike, it seemed like the house would always stretch to accommodate more as the kids ran underfoot. Dinner was a feast of sweetbreads and rice and chicken, and after Sam’s obligatory toast to everyone, it was oddly void of any mention of anyone returning to school, despite him congratulating Jacob for getting the garage up and running amongst the chaos of this summer. Maya gave it little thought though tucked into Paul’s side, laughing at something Jeremy said as he talked animatedly about his most recent mishap with one of the reservation girls. 

After awhile, Paul drifted off to his usual corner with Sam, Jared, and now Jacob. They’re heads were bowed as they spoke to one another but there were smiles flitting across each face that kept the conversation light. A sharp whistle rang out across the volley of voices and Sam stepped out from his corner to bellow: 

“There’s one more announcement to be made before the night ends,” he nudged Jared forward. Maya’s eyes shot to Kim, who’s eyes were welling with tears as she smiled heartily. It made something cinch tightly in Maya. 

“Yeah, yeah,” Jared said holding up his hands almost in surrender. From behind him, Paul and Jacob chuckled as they clutched the necks of their beer bottles, “Kim and I have some exciting news…..babe?” he looked to her and she nodded, “We’re having a baby!” he said, pure joy etched across his face. The house erupted into shouts of excitement and the wolves descended upon Jared, clapping him on the back. Maya stayed put, her eyes watching the scene unfold as everyone gathered around the two expectant parents to be. There was so much love here, and so much time for it all to happen. Whenever Maya was away, she never worried about missing out on anything because she didn’t know what she would miss until she was told about it. But now, seeing this love and excitement pour from her family, she knew she’d truly miss out on something big. And yet, there was still that other part of her that tugged on her to leave, to return to her life in New York and follow every possible dream she had hoped for herself. She loved every person in this room and would gladly put herself in danger in their stead, but still Maya knew she wanted more. That guilt panged in her and made her ache in a new way. Torn between two spectacular worlds and how lucky she was to have both. 

Maya finally pushed herself up out of her chair and walked over to embrace Kim in a hug who had continued weeping with delight into her shoulder. She couldn’t help but feel that tremor of happiness within her as well at the sheer amount of emotion sweeping through the room. 

Jake and Becks had been a surprise. But Kim and Jared were a long time coming to this moment. And you would have had to have been made of stone to not feel a flicker of excitement for both of them who were very openly crying in sheer joy at their own announcement. 

Maya stood there for awhile, just admiring how bright and shiny Kim looked in that moment, her eyes flooded with tears as she spoke of the sheer excitement and desire she had for this baby. She was happy. And Maya was unequivocally happy for her. 

After the excitement died down and some of the pack members left or folded themselves into the comfortable couches and armchairs and floor pillows scattered about, Maya joined Jeremy, Emily, and Sam in the kitchen where they were cleaning up and putting food away. Paul was fixing a loose handle on the kitchen sink as Maya grabbed a dish towel and started drying dishes. 

“One of the most successful pack dinners yet, I think,” Emily shone pure joy as she fitted the lid to a container of rice. Sam smiled at her warmly and nodded. “Oh Maya, that reminds me! Would you be able to host the next pack dinner? I think we’re thinking September 30, right before the Fall bonfire?” Sam’s head shot up and his eyes widened. Paul’s hand went still for a second before he resumed tightening the handle. 

Maya let out a laugh, glancing at Emily, “I mean if Paul wants to host, that’s fine by me. I won’t be here.” There was silence in the kitchen and the only sound that could be heard was Sam’s scrubbing and the faint voices filtering in from the living room. Jeremy looked from Sam to Emily in confusion. 

“You’re not?” Emily said, clearly confused as if this was news to her. 

“No…” Maya stopped and looked at her, and then glanced at Paul. “I’ll be at school.” 

“Oh! Right!” Emily said and Maya breathed an audible sigh of relief. “But you’ll only be a couple hours away. Did you plan to live on campus this year at UW?” 

Something hard and cold sank to the bottom of Maya’s stomach. Emily was very obviously oblivious. 

“Em,” Maya said gently, “I’m going back to Columbia. To New York. In a week.” That was good, stay calm. 

Emily furrowed her brow, “But Paul said—” And that cold thing snapped and shattered within Maya in one second. 

“Paul said what?!” Maya said a little too loud. Paul had stopped and set the wrench down, turning to lean against the counter with his arms crossed. 

“I’m sorry…I-I didn’t realize. He said you were registered for UW in the fall and just th-thought—” Emily stuttered. Sam crossed the room. 

“It’s okay, hun,” Sam said as he rubbed her arm and shot Paul a disgruntled look as if to say Handle this. 

“Paul?” Maya prompted, all fire. She should be more calm, she knew, but everything unspoken had all of the sudden reached a boiling point and there was no controlling it now. There was no physical cop-out this time. 

“Maya, maybe we should talk about this outside,” Paul said softly, his eyes apologetic toward Emily and Sam. Maya’s whole face must have been red. Jeremy stood frozen, soap dripping from his hands as they darted from Maya to Paul. 

“Sure, outside,” Maya said and turned on heel and stomped toward the door. No one really paid them any attention but as she passed Emily, she squeaked out another apology that Maya couldn’t bring herself to acknowledge. 

She stomped down the porch stairs and took long strides toward the forest treeline trying to calm her breathing. Maya could hear Paul’s footsteps not too far behind her. They got just inside the treeline before Maya whirled around on him, her eyes blazing and furious.

Paul’s face was set into a distinct look of disappointment and subtle anger as his mouth turned down into a deep frown, his hands still stuffed into his pockets. 

“What the fuck was that?!” Maya said roughly, her voice already losing to emotion. Paul looked around the forest, almost as if looking for a different answer before she said firmly, fiercely: “Paul.” 

His eyes snapped to her now, matching her fury, “Why are you so surprised?” 

A sour taste coated Maya’s tongue as she clenched her teeth, “What the fuck…was that? What is Emily talking about?” Maya gestured toward the house glittering through the dark lines of trees. 

“We’ve already talked about this,” Paul said almost inaudibly. 

“Bullshit!” Maya yelled. “I think I would know if I was going to school at UW this fall. I wouldn’t have shipped half my shit to New York. Or filled out my internship applications, or registered for classes, or set up my spot to volunteer at the fucking Engineering seminar in November for one. So, I’ll ask you again, what the fuck was Emily talking about?” Maya’s fists were clenched as her whole body shook. 

Paul leveled her with his even stare, as immovable as the stone cliffs that jutted against First Beach. Maya was set to burst into a million pieces. 

“You’re staying on the rez this fall, My, that’s what we talked about,” he said everything so matter of factly it was maddening. 

“Talked? Talked to who? Not to me. Because if i remember correctly, we haven’t been talking at all. Just fucking. Or do you not remember that?” Maya sniped. This couldn’t be happening. 

“I had Michael enroll you at UW—” 

“Without my fucking consent, Paul. What game is this? You know I’m going back to Columbia, you know I’ve been working on these internship applications. You know this and yet you did all this shit anyway without talking to me!” Maya was positively screaming. There was no way no one heard them from Emily’s. 

“I didn’t want to upset you.” Paul said, his face marred by sadness, but that stone facade stayed pushing Maya further to the breaking point. 

“Fuck you!” She screamed. “This is the fucking worst shit you’ve ever done to me. I’m not fucking staying, I’m going back to school where I belong and you’re going to have to just deal with that,” Maya had taken two steps toward him and noticed now that his chest was rising and falling rapidly. His eyes became hard slits of anger. 

“I’m not going to lose you,” he said between gritted teeth. 

“Then. Let. Me. Go.” Maya said, taking another step toward him and pushing against his chest with each beat. Paul stared into her eyes fiercely, not letting any tension fold and Maya stared right back. 

“Don’t push me on this,” he said again. Maya shook her head. “Please, Maya,” but there was nothing left. “Get back!” he suddenly shouted. This jolted Maya and she stumbled back a few steps before solidifying her resolve. Paul was shaking all over. 

After what felt like an eternity of Paul’s ragged uncontrolled breathing and Maya mashing her jaw together so hard she thought her teeth would crack, he said between tight breathes as a dying plea: “I need you stay.” 

Maya’s eyes welled with angry tears and she knew this was it. The final straw. “I can’t…” and then: “I won’t.” She shook her head. 

A resounding crack rang out against the trees closest to her as Paul exploded. In one moment he was there, wolf form bent and curled in on itself in sheer agony and the next he was gone, pounding into the forest. Maya took stuttering breaths, clenching and unclenching her fists to try and release the anger radiating from her, but to no avail. 

In one swift moment, she felt that somewhat healed fissure hiss and crack open within her and knew things were well and truly broken. He wouldn’t let her leave if he could help it and even in the wide open forest, Maya felt like things were closing in around her. 

Her eyes widened, shooting to the shouts and voices filtering from the house beyond the trees—searching, looking for her and Paul. Maya had no idea what they would do to keep her here. What if Paul already asked them to keep her here? Maya’s mind ran wild with anxiety and she sprinted toward her Jeep before the voices could discover her. 

She shoved the keys into the engine and watched wide eyed as the headlights washed over the panic-stricken faces of her found family on Emily and Sam’s front porch. She must have looked wild and terrified as she peeled out of the driveway and away, but she didn’t care. That tightening in her chest told her that the walls were still closing in and she had to get out. Out of La Push, out of Washington. 

She navigated her Jeep through the thick and dark forest, past the treaty line and down side roads she’d only traveled once before. When she pulled into the driveway of the shimmering glass home, two ghostly porcelain figures waited for her on the steps. 

Maya ran a hand through her hair and tried to calm her frenzied nerves, but she knew that after this moment, there might be no turning back. She killed the ignition and crunched onto the gravel driveway, coming around the car to stare up at the two figures waiting halfway up the stairs to the Cullens’ house. 

It was so quiet, as if all of the animals in the surrounding forest had cleared out. Not even the comforting hum of tree frogs or crickets could be heard. It was unnerving to say the least, but Maya was in no state to worry about that implications of that right now. She stood at the bottom of the stairs, looking up at the stone, even faces of the two vampires and said just loud enough for herself to hear:

“I need your help.”  




Chapter 50: The only living girl in New York

Chapter Text

September

 

October

 

November

 

December

 

January

 




Maya clutched the slender champagne glass in her right hand and took a tentative sip as she glanced around the expansive room dotted with industry and academics alike. She let out a sigh through her nose and glanced around again, feeling wholly overwhelmed in this sea of experts and very much feeling like an imposter when a gentle hand rested on the middle of her back. 

 

She glanced up and smiled at the tall, solid figure next to her. 

 

“Ready to wow them?” he said conspiratorially. Maya gave her best smile and nodded. 

 

“Ready.” He guided her through the throng of people toward a group of important looking city suits. Maya braced herself, pasting that brilliant smile on her face and smoothed out the skirt of her short white dress that flared out around her coppery warm thighs. 

 

“Arden!” One of the suits pronounced as they approached. “Good to see you!”

 

“Good to see you,” Arden nodded, his older handsome features pulled into a smile. He glanced down at Maya reassuringly and she had to catch her breath for a moment. That warm reassuring hand shifted a little on her back: “There’s someone I want you to meet.” 

 

The three suits now laser focused in on Maya and she steeled herself. Shoulders back, head high, warm smile. Look approachable, but not too stiff. Confident, but not too overly full of yourself. That hand disappeared from the middle of her back as Arden now said: 

 

“This is my second year student, Maya Sunriviere,” he always emphasized her last name with some French twist. It made Maya shift a bit uncomfortably, like she was some sort of fraud. “Maya specializes in sustainable biomechanics that will help improve the green building practices in more rural and indigenous areas. It’s groundbreaking stuff what Collins is teaching these kids and Maya is going to help put it on the map,” Arden shot her a warm look which Maya returned before she turned her attention back to the suits. 

 

One raised his scotch glass somewhat before he said, “Great stuff.” He was less than impressed but polite nonetheless. Maya gave him her most charming smile and nodded. As she opened her mouth though to pitch, he interrupted her, “Not much of that needed on this coast though, is there? Seems like that’s mostly western go-green propaganda,” he turned to his other suits who chuckled a bit alongside him. Maya pursed her lips, and shifted on her nude heel. 

 

“Yeah, remember when Remy pitched the green garden effect to Trump tower people? Total disaster,” the other suit scoffed. Maya glanced with alarmed eyes at Arden. He was watching the three men before him with an unreadable look on his face. 

 

“Actually, I—” Maya tried to butt in, but there was a guffaw from the third suit as he said: 

 

“They ran the numbers on that thing, did I tell you? Wouldn’t have even scratched the surface of what they’d need to get those green energy credits to offset the property tax. Total waste of concept development and manpower, in my opinion.” 

 

Arden glanced at Maya, his face urgent as he nodded toward the group of men who were devolving further into laughter and swapping stories of other failed projects poised as ingenious to their development firms. Maya swallowed hard, suddenly feeling ridiculous in her white poofy sleeved Givenchy baby-doll dress. She should have worn pants, and done a sharp cat eye to look formidable. Instead she felt kind of like a chic cupcake, at least that’s what the lady in the store said the other day. 

 

“Oh, Arden, I forgot to ask the other day, did you get those blueprints greenlit from legal?” The original suit who had interrupted her swiftly changed the subject and Maya felt boxed out. 

 

She wrapped her other hand around her champagne glass and grimaced, taking a sip as she waited for Ardent to speak. He glanced down at her one last time as if trying to give her one last opening before carrying on with the suits. 

 

Twenty minutes later, Maya leaned against the bar and caught the eye of the young blonde bartender. 

 

“Whiskey, neat, splash of water,” Maya grumbled. 

 

“Yeesh,” Noah said, leaning against the bartop and taking a swig of his Modelo. “That looked like it went…” 

 

“I fucking blew it,” Maya groaned as the bartender slipped the short glass a whiskey across to her with a sympathetic smile. Maya gave her an apologetic grin and spun to look out across the room. “I feel like a fucking idiot.” 

 

“Nah,” Noah said, drawing out the sound of his dissent. “It’s probably fine. Professor Arden will smooth things over. You’ll get another shot.” 

 

“I look like an idiot, I feel like an idiot,” Maya knocked back more whiskey than she meant to and grimaced. “Egh.” 

 

“Jesus, slow down cowgirl,” Noah took another sip and laughed at her a little. Maya couldn’t help the smile that quirked on her lip in response. “You’ll get another shot. Don’t worry,” he said reassuringly. Maya didn’t answer. 

 

“Did you get to talk to those guys from Horton and Sons?” Maya asked. Noah just nodded, scanning his eyes across the crowd of people. “And?” Maya prompted. 

 

“I’m a shoe-in. Obviously,” he threw his head back, his hair swishing back in an unapologetically endearing way and Maya rolled her eyes as she smiled over her whiskey glass. 

 

“Obviously,” she echoed. She looked back to the crowd, but could still feel Noah’s eyes on her. He did that sometimes—just watched her like he was trying to figure her out or something. Or maybe he just thought she was hot. Whatever it was, Maya couldn’t say that it bothered her all too much. It had been awhile since she’d hung out with someone who didn’t seem to think they knew everything about her. 

 

“Let’s get out of here. You’re done, right?” Noah offered, setting his half finished beer down. “We can go swing by and pick up Beez and head to Carter’s or that one bar you like where we had pasta at like 2 a.m.” Maya was watching Arden laugh and talk to the suits. She’d let him down, she knew that, and she wasn’t used to failing so publicly. 

 

“No, I should probably stay in case Arden wants me to glad hand, right?” Maya asked uncertainly. This was her first industry event outside of the conference she went to in November. But she had volunteered and spent most of the time running drinks and getting people checked in to the event, rather than making connections. 

 

“Absolutely not,” Noah said. This wasn’t Noah’s first industry event by any means. He was a year ahead of Maya, a third year, and he’d been to dozens of these things at this point and secured internships over the past two years in which to get his foot in the door. “This thing is going to be over in like twenty minutes tops. These guys roll the party into strip clubs and bars on the west end to really get hammered. The gladhanding is basically done. Unless…” Noah paused and Maya shot him a look. 

 

“Unless what?” she raised an eyebrow at him and downed the rest of her whiskey, reveling in the burn. 

 

“Unless you’re…you know…getting picked up,” Noah said with an eye roll. Maya let out a small laugh and set her glass down on the bartop before digging into pockets of her dress for her phone. 

 

“Obviously,” Maya mocked. She typed a quick message and saw the three dots pop up quickly in response. “Alright, let’s go,” Maya said, clearing some notifications she was putting off and smiling up at Noah. 

 

“Yesss!” he exclaimed, throwing his arm over her shoulder and pulling her toward the elevator that would lead them down to the lobby. Maya glanced at Arden as she went and he shot her a reassuring smile. She tried to swallow the thick lump in her throat. 

 

When they exited the lavish art building and hurried down the stone steps, they were greeted with sleek black Aston Martin. The blacked out passenger window rolled down and jazz music poured from the interior. 

 

Maya ducked down and gave a hearty wave. Noah was positively buzzing with excitement behind her. 

 

“Hey! Thanks for coming to grab us,” Maya said. 

 

“Get in, we can probably make it to Chinatown in fifteen minutes if we hurry,” Rosalie ran a hand through her shimmering golden hair and turned down the music in the car. “You’re bringing the serf?” Maya let out a laugh and tugged open the front door. Noah piled into the back. 

 

“He’s not a—,” Maya started. 

 

“I will have you know that my family runs a moderately profitable print shop back in Columbus. We’re upper middle class at the very least…in Ohio.” Noah scoffed, not taken aback by Rosalie’s ribbing. Rose just rolled her eyes and waited for Maya to buckle her seatbelt. 

 

“Where’s Emmett?” Maya asked. 

 

“He went to see his friends in Queens,” Rosalie responded before sliding into the roadway and speeding down toward their intended destination. 

 

“Ah,” Maya replied. Seeing friends in Queens meant hunting. 

 

Maya’s phone buzzed in her pocket and she fished it out before looking at the notification on the screen. She quickly swiped over the message to clear it from her home screen. Rosalie glanced over, her eyes never really leaving the road. Maya shot her a look, one that begged her not to say anything. Not in front of Noah. 

 

Rose got the message loud and clear from Maya’s pained eyes and let out an exasperated sigh. In her pocket, her phone continued to buzz quietly as it did most nights. 




 

Maya woke up the next morning to the tinny winter light filtering through her dorm room window. The soft whooshing sounds of the city just beyond the campus boundaries created a gentle pulse that matched Maya’s heartbeat. This was the moment she always dreaded—her eyes traveling across the lines of her frost covered window, already melting in the morning light and residual heat trapped by the city, as her consciousness swelled and crashed over her like a wave. 

 

Just as the slightest edge of sleep wore off, the pain would start. A wince, a hollowing in her stomach, a brief wave of nausea, and Maya was up. She sat up in bed, her arm wrapped low around her stomach as the pain pushed through her fast and deep, swelling and pushing her, begging her to go. But Maya would stay as still as she could, taking hard fast breaths through her mouth and squeezing her eyes tight as she waited for the first ebb of pain to pull away. 

 

Sometimes, the pain only lasted for a few minutes, and sometimes more. But at this point, after nearly six months of broken contact from her imprint, Maya knew how to push through the pain. When she first arrived, she knew that fissure that had burst wide open like a cracked damn would spread the pain around her and pull her back toward the reservation. It was almost unbearable at first—worse even than when she and Paul had split the first time. The distance must have made it worse to begin with, she hypothesized. 

 

For the first two weeks of the fall semester, Maya had barely been able to breathe, to speak even as the pain refused to leave her. Every step she took was excruciating and her joints felt rusted, her bones splintered, and her head felt like it would split in two. She felt the constant tug, like a rope edge secured to her belly button, rip at her belly as the imprint pleaded with her to return. Her whole body would be fire during the day, and then ice frozen over at night. 

 

It had taken her months to learn how to manage the pain, learn how to release it, and how to temper it into submission. But that didn’t stop it from sneaking up on her every now and then when she wasn’t expecting it. Maya had learned the ins and outs of her pain, knew the shape of it, and now treated it as an old friend that might never leave her. And with that knowledge, she learned how to contain it. It was only in the mornings now, when the foggy melt of sleep made her too vulnerable did the imprint strike at her like a snake. 

 

Maya held tightly to her abdomen, her eyes flickering up toward the sunlight as she took deeper, more calming breaths. With her eyes closed, she relived the last few moments she had seen Paul—his pleading gaze, her furious and tear stricken face, and the explosion of fur and wood as he took off into the forest. The pain began to ebb now as the echoing heavy footfalls of Paul’s wolf form faded into the memory. 

 

She opened her eyes and released the arm around her abdomen tentatively, swallowing and taking a shuddering breath before her gaze swept over to her nightstand. Her phone lit up with another text, adding to the already sky-high number of texts, missed calls, and voicemails that filled her inbox. Maya rubbed her eyes and held her head in her hands for just a moment before throwing the covers off of her, grabbing her toiletry kit, and heading toward the communal bathroom. 

 

She was once again thankful for the single dorm room the Cullens had arranged for her after she had to come to them for help that fateful night. They had insisted, even when Maya had stated that her scholarship didn’t cover such a lavish expense and only conceded when they urged her that it would be best for them as well as her when ensuring her safety and their privacy. 

 

There had been a lot Maya had agreed to that night. The warmth of the shower water ran over her and Maya’s eyes glazed over, remembering that evening as if it was only yesterday. 

 

“I need your help.” Maya had said just loud enough for herself to hear. She stood at the bottom of the concrete stairs and her eyes made out the shapes of Carlisle and Rosalie at the top. Carlisle held his mouth in a tight line as Rose crossed her arms, head tilted and looking over Maya with genuine interest. 

 

Maya’s heart hammered in her chest. What was she doing here? Walking into the lion’s den like this with no protection, no backup, and no wolfpack was probably insane. But she’d felt like she’d had no other choice. She couldn’t think of anywhere else to go and now looking up at the two terrifyingly still creatures, she wondered if she’d made a mistake in her blind panic. 

 

Carlisle suddenly gave her a soft nod, his stone body easily breaking into graceful, human-like motion as he extended his hand and beckoned her up the steps with a gentle smile. Maya let out a loud breath and shot Rosalie one glance before she jogged up the stairs and over the threshold of the house. 

 

Esme had given her tea and a warm, mothering smile that set Maya at ease as she sat atop the bar chair in the kitchen. Edward and Bella stood off by the sink leaning against the counter as Edward listened intently to Maya’s thoughts. Her mind couldn’t help but replay every second of the evening over and over, awash with fresh panic each time. 

 

“They’re not going to let me leave,” Maya said gently, her eyes flickering up to Edward and then over to Carlisle. Emmett stood by the fireplace in the adjoining living room and Rosalie was perched on the counter top. Carlisle pursed his lips again and looked over to Bella. She gave a gentle shake of her head and Carlisle nodded. “Please, I just want to…” Maya couldn’t finish her sentence as her throat closed up and she hiccuped slightly with too much emotion. 

 

Carlisle finally let his gaze rest on Edward, “What will they do?” Maya’s eyes shot up, wide and terrified as the sound of someone else speaking for the first time reached her ears. They had been nearly silent this entire time and she had no idea what they would do. Would they just hand her back over? Was she risking war by being here? 

 

Bella’s eyes watched Maya carefully, but they were gentle, understanding, as if she recognized some of the pain Maya was feeling in this moment. Edward took a moment to consider, as if listening beyond his means and then shrugged. 

 

“We won’t know for sure unless we ask. There’s nothing specifically in the treaty about this kind of interference. Just that we’re not supposed to harm or hunt the tribe. This doesn’t fall into the category from where I’m standing, but the pack might see it differently.” Edward spoke purposefully, as if mulling over the options in his mind as he was speaking and not coming to any one clear conclusion. Carlisle’s eyes skated over Maya again and then toward Bella. 

 

“Could you reach out to him? To see if we can come to some sort of arrangement?” Carlisle asked. Bella’s eyes hadn’t left Maya since she’d shown up. She glanced at Carlisle, meeting his eyes and gave a nod. Maya watched as Bella left the kitchen, toward the front door, and hear the soft clack as she exited the home. 

 

Maya looked down at her hands and fought back the fresh well of tears that threatened to overtake her. When she looked up, Rosalie’s gaze was still boring through her—curious, imploring, and oddly comforting. 

 

A short while later, Esme took her to a guest room to get some sleep, but Maya was surely not going to do any of that. She checked her phone on and off throughout the evening, but it didn’t seem like anyone had sounded the alarm yet. Maybe they thought she and Paul had just had another blow out argument, their tempers getting the best of them yet again. Maya internally groaned. She so did not want to be that couple. 

 

It was entirely too late, or rather too early when Maya heard the soft sound of the door opening as she sat with her head in her hands at the end of the bed where Esme had left her earlier that night. Maya raised her head, eyes alarmed, to see Bella standing there with a soft smile. 

 

“Come with me,” she said gently, gesturing over her shoulder. Maya couldn’t help the involuntary shiver she gave as she passed her. When they descended the stairs together and rounded into the living room, Maya’s breath hitched in her throat and her steps stuttered as her gaze fell upon the massive form of Jacob Black standing in the center of the open living room. The Cullens gathered around him in various states of relaxation, some sitting on the couch, some with their hands slipped into their pockets and leaning close to the fire. 

 

Maya swallowed hard. Jacob’s arms were crossed over his chest and he didn’t look too happy. Maya clenched her hands into fists at her sides, bracing for a fight. Her eyes darted to Carlisle, and then Bella as if silently asking for an escape or at the very least, an explanation. But none came. Jacob’s mouth sat in a firm line as he looked at her, his gaze never wavering as the firelight flickered shadows over his body. 

 

What was she supposed to say? Jacob kept just staring at her, as if he was trying to figure something out. It made Maya realize quite suddenly she was the least supernatural being in this room and it made her feel…odd. He wasn’t moving, no one else in the room was breathing, but Maya felt like the air was thinning and she was going to crack under the weight of her own panic. Her eyes flickered to Rosalie who straightened from her sitting position on the couch and came to stand next to Carlisle like she had at the top of the stairs. She turned toward Maya and gave her a small nod. Maya opened her mouth as if to speak and then immediately closed it. 

 

And Jacob just stood there, radiating more heat than the fireplace. Maya couldn’t tell if he was angry or sad or just plain tired. He’d always said he’d never wanted to be alpha, but did this fall into his responsibilities? A grown ass runaway just trying to get off this rez so she can go back to school? Probably not. But still, Maya was his problem implicitly as an imprint and for that she was truly sorry. 

 

“Jake, I–” Maya choked on her words, and closed her eyes tight for a second. 

 

“Is this what you want?” he said suddenly. Maya’s eyes snapped open, unsure if he had even spoken or if she had hallucinated it in her sleep deprived state. She stared at him for too long and so he said again, “Is this what you want, Maya?” 

 

She swallowed hard. Her throat on fire before she nodded and said hoarsely, “Yes.” 

 

Jacob let out a loud sigh through his nose and let his arms drop as he turned to Carlisle. “There is still a threat.” Carlisle nodded solemnly. 

 

“We understand. Rose and Emmett have already agreed to escort Maya and stay with her in New York while she attends school.We have a home there, but Maya can obviously stay on campus if she wants.” Jake chuckled. 

 

“Of course you have a home out there,” he rubbed his eyes and shrugged. “Fine. If you’re willing to do this, I can’t really stop her.” Maya took a step toward Jake, not realizing the tears that had gathered and already poured down her cheeks in her earnest. 

 

“You’re letting me leave?” Maya said breathlessly. It seemed like such an idiotic question but only a few hours ago, she thought otherwise. Jacob looked at her now, his gaze somewhat surprised before it turned into deep sadness. A look of understanding came over his face as if he knew what it was like to feel trapped in a no-win situation. 

 

“You should leave today,” he said sternly to Maya before turning to Carlisle, “The sooner the better.” 

 

“Understood,” Carlisle replied softly with a sympathetic smile. 

 

Maya gathered her backpack and leaned down to tie up her chunky black boots before wrapping a scarf loosely around her neck. Her phone buzzed again but by now, Maya mostly ignored the notifications. They came in frequently, from everyone. 

Except Keye. She had only texted once after Maya left and knew her well enough to know that there wouldn’t be a point in chasing her. All she had said was: “I love you. Good on you for sticking to what you want. You probably should steer clear of here for awhile. Text if you need.”

 

Maya read that text often. Just for a little reassurance that what she was doing was the right thing. She glanced at her phone now and saw that the most recent message was from Rose. She was on her way to her dorm to walk with Maya to class. Rose had registered at Columbia as a Sophomore to study mechanic engineering as her “cover”, but Maya knew she just genuinely enjoyed doing something with her time. Plus, Rosalie’s alluring nature only helped Maya in her department and in making connections. She tried not to rely too much on that though. 

 

Maya was determined to do this her way and succeed on her own, like she always had. Still, it came in handy sometimes. 

 

Ten minutes later, they were walking side by side across the quad toward Maya’s early morning lecture. 

 

“It’s not that bad,” Rose said straightening her dark maroon leather gloves. . 

 

“It’s bad,” Maya said, “You weren’t there Rose, I really did blow it. I don’t think Professor Arden is going to introduce me like that again after that monumental flub.” 

 

“Oh please,” Rose scoffed, she pushed her sunglasses up onto her head. The cloud cover this morning was pleasant enough that she could walk around freely without her umbrella she usually carried with her, and the chill of late February in New York meant showing as minimal skin as possible also worked in her favor. “Arden is obsessed with you,” she said not too kindly. 

 

“Ew, no he’s not,” Maya laughed. 

 

“I’ve seen guys like him before Maya, he’s a borderline creep. If you give him another inch, he’ll run the whole mile with it,” Rosalie said matter of factly. 

 

“You’re crazy. And also, he’s my fucking professor. I think I would have picked up on the gross-power-dynamic vibes. You’ve met Paul, right?” Maya quipped. Rose gave a noncommittal sound as her eyes scanned across the quad. Maya’s phone buzzed again. 

 

“You know you can put that on silent, right?” Rose responded as Maya pulled her phone out of her pocket. 

 

“It’s Beez, and we’re running this student seminar together next week so I most definitely cannot turn it on silent,” Maya let out a slow breath as she began to type, the air fogging up around them as they walked briskly. 

 

“Yeah and only 186 unread texts, 217 missed calls, and 73 voicemails,” Rose shot back, “Sure.  I’m sure the buzzing is not getting to you either.” Maya rolled her eyes and looked over at Rose who gave her a small smile.

 

“Who’s obsessed with who now?” Maya quipped, to which Rose let out that bright, twinkling laugh that lit up her whole face. 

 

Maya shoved her phone back into her pocket. Ever since she skipped town, she hadn’t answered anyone, save for Jeremy that first night and her parents. 

 

“They’ll all be there when the semester is over,” Maya said, her teeth chattering from the cold as she yanked open the door to her class building. 

 

“Right,” Rose replied, looking the picture of perfection, not a blonde hair out of place. Despite the prodding, Maya was so grateful to both her and Emmett for getting her back to Columbia when they did that she couldn’t really begrudge her for pointing out the fact that Maya was most definitely avoiding everything back home. 

 

Back home. 

 

Maya hadn’t been home in over six months. Half a year. She hadn’t been home for fall break and her parents opted to visit her out in New York for Christmas. It was probably for the best considering that the rez was a minefield of uncertainty. She hadn’t spoken to anyone, not a text, or a call, since the day she left. And still, her inbox swelled with texts, photos, voicemails, voice messages, and everything in between. 

 

But she couldn’t bring herself to go through them just yet. Maya would be lying if she said she didn’t feel a little bit guilty for leaving the way she did. But she thought she had no other choice. Still, it didn’t stop a fresh pang of guilt from washing over her anytime her phone vibrated. 

 

Maya slumped into her seat in the lecture hall after waving goodbye to Rosalie who drew a few stares per usual. The hallways of the engineering building were dotted with the occasional paper heart or pink and white streamers of the looming holiday. Maya exhaled roughly and was only somewhat jolted out of her reverie when Beez slapped her books down on the table in front  of her breathless. 

 

“Hey! Did you get my text?” she said before unwrapping her scarf and shedding her coat. 

 

“Uh, yeah!” Maya said quickly, straightening and turning her attention to the front of the lecture hall where her professor was starting his slides. 

 




The Valentine’s decorations in the mess hall had seemingly exploded everywhere the closer they got to February 14. Each table was covered in tiny pink confetti hearts and streamers with glittering hearts poured from every ceiling and stairwell. Maya didn’t remember it being as big of deal last year, but now the overwhelming pressure of the holiday was making her nauseous. 

 

That hollowness in Maya’s stomach was growing again and she grimaced down at her salad. Her arm automatically curved around her abdomen lightly underneath the table. 

 

“I never really understood Valentine’s day,” Beez said suddenly between mouthfuls of chicken noodle soup, “I mean, I get it but also like, if you love someone, isn’t that like an everyday thing? Can’t today just be like a proclamation day for people who haven’t expressed loved to their loved one yet? And for everyone else, it can be business as usual?” 

 

Rose looked up from painting her nails and quirked a beautifully arched eyebrow at Beez. “I think it’s nice,” she said easily as she blew on her cherry red nails. Maya’s eyes still stayed zoned in on her salad, focusing on breathing in and out. 

 

“Yeah, it’s nice!” Beez agreed, “But it also doesn’t make sense.” 

 

“What’s not to get about love?” Rose said without looking up from her nails this time in mock concentration. 

 

“Everything,” Beez said after a beat, “It’s the most nonsensical, confusing, logic-defying emotion in our existence. Everything about love doesn’t make sense,” Beez proclaimed as she shuffled through her notecards. Noah sank down in a seat next to her and started digging into his chicken salad sandwich. “People do the weirdest shit when they’re in love.”

 

“It can be about other kinds of love, not just the romantic kind,” he said between mouthfuls. He always had to rush off to his city planning course after lunch which was clear across campus, but he made it a point to have lunch with them every Tuesday and Thursday. 

 

“I guess,” Beez said, making a revision to her notecard. Maya sucked in a too sharp breath and Noah looked up from his tray. 

 

“My?” he asked, concerned. Rose glanced at Maya and leaned across the table to try and distract them. 

 

“Did you guys get an invitation to that art show in May?” Rose asked. Beez looked up, her brow creasing in confusion. Noah glanced at Rose as if compelled to and then quickly back to Maya. Maya straightened and pretended to pick at her salad, shooting Noah a quick smile. 

 

“No? What art show? God damnit! They think chem kids don’t give a fuck about this stuff and they never give us the good stuff,” Beez complained. Maya was thankful for the distraction, even if Noah still watched her from across the table worriedly as Rosalie promised to text Beez the details. 

 

Maya had never been particularly invested in Valentine’s day as a holiday. Not even before the imprint. But now, it felt like a monument to her current relationship’s disarray. Maybe it felt worse this year not only because of being on the outs with Paul but also because…the last time he had tried to text her was back in January. 

 

The text had been short, as they had gradually become in Maya’s continued silence. It had come in the second week of January, the night of the bonfire nearly two years ago. The night of the imprint. 

 

The text had simply read: Happy anniversary. 

 

Maya had struggled to breathe for a few hours after that and ultimately had turned off her phone and overslept the next day, missing her first two classes. 

 

After that, there was nothing. He hadn’t reached out in almost a month. And Maya was beginning to wonder if this was it. If he was giving up. She couldn’t blame him considering how she had left and how she had iced him out after. She was still amazed by the fact that he had never traveled out to New York to confront her or try to bring her back. But maybe Rose and Emmett had been enough of a deterrent to ensure that she wouldn’t go easily. That and she’d never forgive him. Still, something in Maya wouldn't let her forgive him just yet for trying to keep her on the rez in the first place and she held onto that feeling, that distance to help her get through the semester. 

 

Now as the day loomed closer, she just felt alone. She was surrounded by people—people who cared about her. And yet, Maya felt that familiar ache that pulsed with the realization that she would never truly be whole without Paul. She knew that. But she knew what she had to do first—to make this all worth it, if that feeling didn’t drive her crazy first. It was maddening, like an itch she couldn’t quite scratch, a tug that just wouldn’t let up. It drove out any sense of reason and sent her brain buzzing with static. She couldn’t concentrate, couldn’t breathe. 

 

Maya pushed away from the table abruptly and stood, scooping up her bag. “I just forgot that I needed to talk to Professor Arden about my…” she didn’t finish as she hurried away and out toward the quad. No one followed her, for which she was thankful. 

 

Out in the cold, February air, Maya took some deep gulping breaths to calm herself and try to quell the growing pain in her stomach. Absently, her feet made their way toward the engineering building as tears glittered in her eyes. 

 

As if on autopilot in her grief, Maya was suddenly in front of Professor Arden’s door. She swallowed thickly, and wiped the tears off of her stained cheeks. She hadn’t actually meant to come and see Professor Arden, she had just been so lost in thought trying to escape the pain welling up in her that her feet carried her here as if on instinct. Maya spent a lot of time here going over her papers, brainstorming ideas for her upcoming thesis that was still a ways off, talking about grad programs and the merits of teaching versus finding something industry. Professor Arden was a great sounding board and had incredible connections. 

 

Hoping for a distraction, Maya dug in her bag for her latest paper—an actual excuse to be here. But she had nothing on her. 

 

With a sigh she cleared the tears away once more and just as she turned to leave, the door to his office wrenched open. Maya startled, and stumbled back a little wide eyed. 

 

“Maya!” Professor Arden exclaimed, somewhat surprised to see her standing there, somewhat disheveled by the cold wind blowing around campus.

 

“Professor Arden,” Maya returned, trying to straighten herself up and tame her hair that must have been a wild mess from booking it across the quad. “I, uh—” she closed her eyes somewhat embarrassed and opened them to see him watching her with a soft, comforting look on his face. “I meant to bring you something to look over, but I uh—” she thumbed over her shoulder back toward the stairwell, “I forgot, so, I’m just gonna—” she started to back away. 

 

“That’s alright, I had actually received an email from Dr. Bronnard about an aerospace internship position this summer in Ohio. Do you want to come take a look? I think it might be a good fit,” he said warmly. Maya pursed her lips and then nodded, her enthusiasm quickly returning as she brushed by him and into his office. 

 

Professor Arden’s office was a warm oasis from the cold campus outside. He had a wall lined with bookcases and crammed with books and project proposals and published articles from magazines and journals. He was a leading voice in modern engineering for how young he was in his career. Maya guessed he couldn’t be older than his late thirties or early forties. His office culminated around a large black wood desk that was littered with papers. He fit well into this office, and the warm smell of cedar and fresh cut mint hung in the air. It was pleasant, Maya had to admit, and she enjoyed spending time in his office, thumbing through his books and asking far too many questions. 

 

He humored her though, and was always friendly, kind, and trying to push her in the right direction. He grabbed his laptop from his desk and scooped up the clear frame glasses from a stack of ungraded papers before settling on the plush green velvet couch that sat opposite his desk. Maya sunk down next to him, tucking a leg under her and dropping her book bag to the ground with a thud. She unraveled her scarf and shrugged off her coat, setting it across the arm of the couch before leaning over to look at his laptop. 

 

“Okay, soooo…” he said, his eyes glued to the laptop screen as he pulled up the website that offered the internship. Maya set her arm on the back of the couch and rested her head against her hand as she peered across him to his screen. “This is the company. Dr. Bronnard has been there for about 10 or so years. He was actually my professor at Brown when I was in grad school,” he chuckled warmly and Maya couldn’t help but smile at the sound. 

 

“Brown, huh? Never pegged you for a west coast kind of guy,” she joked. He threw her a look and Maya gave him a full on laugh. 

 

“Yeah, yeah, yuck it up. Speaking of, have you thought anymore about grad school?” he said, as he clicked through a couple pages to get to the internship application. Maya sighed and looked back at his screen. 

 

“Not yet. I still have two more years here and who knows what will happen,” her voice sounded tired, even to her. Professor Arden’s hands paused and he looked over at her again. 

 

“Two years isn’t that long,” his voice was low, and the warm amber light of the room suddenly had a lulling quality. Maya sank her head down into the crook of her arm as hair fell into her face. She groaned. 

 

“A lot can happen in two years,” she said, “Trust me.” 

 

“Okay,” he smiled at her again in that way that was so endearing, and Maya understood why so many students found him attractive. “Just think about it,” he shrugged. Maya nodded from her relaxed place and pushed some hair behind her ear as she looked back to his screen. 

 

“Is this a three month stint in Ohio?” she asked. Professor Arden gave a hum of affirmation. “Aerospace? You think I’m cut out for aerospace engineering? My focus is in biomechanics,” she said uncertainly. 

 

“I know,” he gestured to the screen, “But you’d be working closely with a team that is working on building a fully functioning garden lab in space. Botany, farming, sustainable harvesting, the whole bit. I think it would be a great challenge for you,” He looked over at her and Maya saw that promise in his eyes, the one that dared her to believe him if she would just believe in herself too. She’d missed that look, “Plus, it might be a welcome distraction.” His voice lowered a bit, as if they were telling secrets. Maya sucked in a breath and sat up. 

 

“What do you—,” she started, but Professor Arden shook his head. 

 

“I see you, Maya,” he said gently. “I get it.” 

 

Did he? She wondered. Her heart hammered in her chest, and she worried he might hear it. Maya couldn’t bear the weight of this pain that pushed on her now. She felt the familiar sting of tears in her eyes and desperately did not want him to see her cry over something she couldn’t…wouldn’t explain. She needed to leave, she knew that. This pain would crush her and in front of a professor was probably the most mortifying way her pain going public could be. But she couldn’t seem to lift herself from the comfort of the couch. 

 

She held his gaze, hoping that the tears would not fall, but they threatened to spill any moment. And the pain of remembering that hollowness in her stomach, the emptiness and utter barren feeling of loneliness swelled and burst over her, propelling her forward. 

 

Before Maya even knew what was happening, her lips had crashed down upon his. They were soft and warm and he tasted…different. Her hand had found its way up to his sharp jaw covered in a pleasingly trimmed, soft beard. And he wasn’t pulling away. Maya found herself lifting her body, slinging one leg across his lap as he moved his laptop out of the way, so she could straddle him. His mouth opened to her, his hands grabbing her waist and held her tightly to the line of his crotch. Maya was lost in sensation. She’d never kissed another man, and the feeling sent a thrill through her, amplified by her grief begging her to forget if she could just deepen this kiss and take it a step further. Maya slid her tongue across his as a soft whispered moan fell from her lips and into his mouth. She pressed her chest to his, her nipples hard and begging to be touched as her other hand coasted down to cup his neck. Her hips began to move of their own accord, grinding against his clothed crotch. He was pushing back toward her into the kiss and Maya’s mind started to go blank. The heat was rising between them as the kiss turned frantic, feverish. His hands squeezed her hips and helped her move across his covered length, and a wanton groan spilled from his mouth. Maya smiled into the kiss. Was she really doing this? Her heart panged with fear, sadness, and some unanswered excitement. Why did it feel so good to forget? 

 

Maya let her hand drift down his neck and chest, toward his belt buckle that jingled lightly between them, and in one swift movement, he yanked free of the kiss. 

 

“Maya, wait,” he said breathlessly, coming to his senses. 

 

“Wh-what? What’s wrong?” she breathed, her hair a mess, her mouth puckered and red, ready to receive anything he was willing to give her. Professor Arden shook his head, as if trying to clear it. Maya could feel him hard and wanting between her thighs, and almost moaned in disappointment when he shifted her off his lap back onto the couch. 

 

“We can’t do this,” he said, letting her go, “I’m so sorry…that was… you are..” he groaned and stood up, keeping his back to her as he paced toward his desk. Maya put a hand to her lips and the feelings of grief and loneliness erupted into embarrassment, showering her in pure mortification. 

 

“Oh my god,” she breathed. Maya was suddenly terrified of the person that she was. She had kissed a professor, her advisor, her confidante. What the fuck was she thinking?! As far as she knew, she was still with Paul. And she had kissed someone else. “Oh my god,” she said louder as she scrambled off of the couch and began to grab her things in a panic. 

 

“Maya,” he said suddenly, sharply turning and crossing the room. “Maya,” he grabbed her arm gently and she whirled around her eyes shooting up to his wide-eyed as if caught. 

 

“I’m so, so sorry. Professor Arden, I—” she pulled her book bag onto her shoulder, stuttering as she tried to find the right words, “I don’t know what came over me, I’m so sorry, I didn’t mean….oh my god,” she pressed a hand to her forehead as she looked at the ground. The tears were back and fell in earnest. 

 

“Hey, Maya,” he placated. Suddenly, that soft, broad hand was on her cheek and pulling her face up, “It’s okay. Really. I just don’t think…we should go there. You’re beautiful, and brilliant, and funny, and are headed toward amazing things….” his calming voice quelled some of Maya’s tears and she automatically leaned into his hand, “But you’re very obviously hurt and dealing with something and I won’t complicate things further than they already would be if we…” he swallowed thickly, his eyes coasting down her body for a moment and flickering back toward the couch as if considering taking it a step further right then and there. And for a moment, Maya wanted him to. 

 

She imagined the comfort it would temporarily bring her to be covered by him, her thighs spread as he pumped into her, nibbling at her breasts, telling her it was okay, it was alright, they’d figure it out later, but right now…right now they just needed to focus on feeling good. Together. She would moan softly to egg him on as he would bend her knees and push them toward her face so he could sink deeper and deeper into her, pushing her to a limit that would make her beg. She craved that feeling of connection, togetherness, and the warmth that would spread in her belly when he would come in her and fill her to the brim. And the soft sigh of relief when he’d pull out, peppering her with kisses as he dripped from between her legs and kissed her neck. 

 

But it wouldn’t be him.

 

She knew deep down that that wasn’t what she really wanted. That she would be picturing someone else the whole time. And she knew that the pain would come back tenfold. She nodded up at him and he gave her a reassuring smile as he let his thumb wipe away a tear falling down her cheek. 

 

“It’s okay,” he promised. “Believe me, I would if this was some other lifetime, some other situation. But I want to help you get to where you need to go. It’s kind of my whole job,” he joked. Maya let out a wet laugh and nodded. 

 

“You’re right, I’m sorry,” she breathed. He clicked his tongue as if to shoosh her but she shook her head and took a step back out of his grasp, “Can we just forget this ever happened? I’m honestly mortified,” she ran a hand through her hair and he nodded, slipping his hands in his pockets. 

 

“Of course, consider it forgotten,” he said gently. Maya let out a sigh of relief and said: 

 

“Thank you, Professor Arden,” she crossed his office and pulled open his door. He hadn’t moved from his place by his desk. 

 

“Arden,” he corrected. Maya looked over her shoulder, “You should really just start calling me Arden.” There was that endearing smile again. Maya shook her head and gave him a teasing smile. 

 

“That would be a bit too familiar, don’t you think?” she joked. He let out a barking laugh and Maya made her exit without another word. 

 


 

The soft shuffling of papers echoed across the tall angular architecture of the Butler library. Maya sighed and flipped through her textbooks. Finals were only a few weeks away and she was halfway through her second term paper, her brain threatening to crack from the sheer amount of information she’d been processing for the past few days. 

 

Rosalie sat quietly across from her, slowly reading a textbook that she very clearly already knew all of the information in. But, to keep up appearances and to keep Maya company, she pretended to be exhausted and overworked like the rest of them. 

 

The end of her sophomore year looked vastly different than that of her freshman one. She was on the precipice of a new opportunity and had her internship lined up for the summer, thanks to Professor Arden’s help, and Rosalie and Emmett were working out the accommodations for all three of them. 

 

Maya rubbed her eyes and tried to press reset on her brain. She tried to focus on what she’d be doing in just one short month in her internship in Ohio. Professor Arden’s connections with Dr. Bronnard helped Maya get a foot in the door and they delightedly offered her the role after one short interview. She couldn’t help but wonder if that was mostly Professor Arden’s doing. 

 

Ever since their makeout session in his office in February, Maya had been trying to keep her distance. They only met up a few times in either very public spaces or during his office hours where there were sure to be students milling about to keep the awkwardness down. True to his word, he acted as if nothing had ever happened and Maya would try to contain the red blush from creeping into her cheeks any time she was near him, still full on embarrassed from her clumsy misstep. Honestly, he had probably helped her get that internship in Ohio just so they didn’t have to talk as much. 

 

Still, she was grateful for the space to help clear her head of her mistake and forge ahead. Luckily, or maybe unluckily, Paul was still radio silent. That was fine, she thought. The less distractions the better. And now that she wasn’t going home for the summer, it took a weight off of her. 

 

She would be away from her home for a full year. The thought made her breathless and a new, whining ache wound in her. Maya grimaced and tried to type the conclusion on her term paper. But her hands stayed hovered over the keys. Whispers floated out of different studying nooks and Maya looked up at Rosalie. She raised her golden eyes up at her and gave her a quizzical look. 

 

“Why did you agree to come with me?” Maya said softly, but she knew full well Rose could hear her. Maya wasn’t sure where that question had come from, only that she felt like she needed an answer. 

 

Rose watched her for a moment, her soft, liquid gold eyes carefully catching on each of Maya’s features before she leaned in a bit on the table so Maya could better hear her. 

 

“Because I understand what it feels like to be trapped,” she said gently, “And so does Jake. Which is why he did what he did. Plus, I admire a woman who knows what she wants and is willing to break a few hearts to get it,” she smirked and Maya stared for a long time. 

 

“What did Jake do?” Maya asked. Rosalie paused here, wondering what the path of least confusion and hurt would be, measuring the weight of each option.

 

“He gave Paul an alpha order not to interfere with your life until you were ready. Until you came to him,” Rosalie said, her eyes holding onto Maya’s. 

 

The breath seemed to trap itself in Maya’s throat as she processed Rosalie’s answer. Jacob had ordered Paul not to interfere. That explained the lack of him showing up to drag her back. A familiar burn pressed in her stomach, one that echoed the full blown fire of the imprint and Maya swallowed hard in response before she nodded and looked back down at her book. 

 

“Will you?” Rosalie asked suddenly, snapping Maya up from her reverie as she stared at the pages of her book. They might as well have been blank for all of her comprehension in that moment. 

 

“Will I what?” Maya asked, her voice somewhat gravelly. 

 

“Will you go to him?” she asked with genuine interest as if she truly couldn’t anticipate the answer. Maya was stunned into silence again and couldn’t bring herself to answer. After a long moment, Rosalie nodded with a sympathetic smile and let her gaze fall to her book, releasing Maya from having to answer. 

 




Maya slipped out of her light black shawl and handed it to the attendant by the museum front doors with a smile. Noah checked his umbrella and followed close behind as Beez stood at the bottom of the marble stone steps that led up to the exhibit looking nervous. 

 

“You okay?” Maya asked, confused. Beez nodded and waved her off before tilting her head. 

 

“I love your hair!” she exclaimed. Maya immediately brought a hand up to touch her freshly chopped hair, cut in a blunt style that hung just at her shoulders. She had kind of done it on a whim that afternoon with Rosalie when they were picking out a last minute clutch for Rosalie. Maya had had curled into loose beachy waves that framed her face and put on some dark winged liner and a dark plum lip to go with her Anna October black mini dress. The razor thin straps cut down across the open back, exposing down almost to her low back. “So fucking cute,” Beez confirmed. Maya blushed and looked down at her chunky Versace heels that Rosalie had insisted on. 

 

“Aw thanks,” she said tucking some hair behind her ear. “You look great too!” Maya said, “Doesn’t she, Noah?” Maya turned as Noah shook some of the loose rain from his hair and he looked over at both of them. 

 

“10/10 Beez,” he smiled. Beez buzzed and turned, grabbing Maya’s hand as they jogged up the stone steps. 

 

“This is going to be so cool!” she exclaimed. Maya let out a little laugh and agreed. She’d been to a couple of art shows in the city on a whim, but these were all original pieces by multiple artists. And the artists themselves would be milling about. It was kind of a big deal, or so Maya had been told. 

 

Once they entered the wide open art floor, cut with smaller white panels to help separate the exhibits, the threesome made their way through the crowd. Maya grabbed a glass of champagne from a server and scooped up another glass for Noah who gratefully took it. Beez wasn’t much of a drinker and she was too wowed by the collection of bent and twisted ceramic and wood that took on a life of it’s own around her. 

 

Maya tried to contain her smile as she shuffled through some of the exhibits. At one point, Noah broke off to go talk to some industry people he had keeping an eye on and Beez skated away toward an artist who was talking about the inspiration for his piece. Maya stayed in front of a swirling piece of ceramic that seemed to defy physics as she slowly sipped her champagne. 

 

“Thought that was you,” a familiar voice said softly from beside her. Maya glanced to her left and smiled. Professor Arden was standing tall in a dark blue suit, his dark hair swept into a soft quoif, and his beard trimmed neat as always. The soft smell of cedar and mint met her nose and she exhaled slowly. 

 

Maya tipped back the rest of her champagne glass and deposited it onto the empty tray from a server passing by with a ‘thank you.’ 

 

Professor Arden passed her a fresh glass he had been holding and she plucked it from his hand. The champagne bubbled delightfully in her stomach. 

 

“Thank you,” she said. 

 

“No problem,” he glanced down at her with a warm smile and let his gaze run up and down the length of her body with an appreciative nod, “You look great.” he said simply before turning back to the art piece. 

 

“Oh, this old thing?” Maya quipped, “Dug it out of the designer dumpster on 6th ave.” Arden chuckled and took a sip. “You don’t look too bad yourself,” she finished. Was she flirting? Why was she flirting? 

 

He looked down at his suit and nodded, “From the dumpster,” he confirmed. Maya let out a small laugh and shook her head. At least it wasn’t awkward. “Oh, shit,” he said softly. 

 

“What?” Maya said alarmed. She rarely ever heard him cuss. 

 

“That’s Dr. Bronnard,” he gestured to a grey haired man standing with a cluster of people around him listening to whatever story he was telling about his latest breakthrough. “I didn’t know if he’d make it to this, but I want to introduce you,” his hand floated down to rest on the middle of her naked back, sending shivers down Maya’s spine. 

 

“O-oh!” Maya stuttered, taken aback, “Absolutely, yes. That’s my new boss so might as well right?” she chuckled nervously. Arden took a step closer to her, his warmth causing a soft tingling sensation to erupt across her skin, making Maya feel more naked than when she had taken off her shawl. It must be cold in here, she thought. 

 

“He’s great, I promise. Just be your normal, quippy self and he’s going to love you,” that warm smile spread across his face and Maya nodded. 

 

“Easy enough,” she breathed. He gently pressed against her back, steering her toward Dr. Bronnard. Maya had to admit that she felt good. Better than she had felt in months. She felt calm and confident and that hollowness in her stomach had cleared away halfway through her second glass of champagne. She smiled up at Arden gratefully as he waved to Dr. Bronnard during a lull in the conversation and introduced Maya, his hand still firmly placed on her back. It was comforting, and she leaned forward to take Dr. Bronnard’s hand and began to animatedly discuss all the reading up on his current project she had done. 

 

That feeling of calm never left her during their conversation, and Maya wanted to attribute it to the soft stroke of Arden’s thumb against her spine as she carried on and on with Dr. Bronnard easily. Arden cut in every now and then to offer some interesting tidbit or to highlight a recent accomplishment of Maya’s in their department. 

 

She was positively glowing, in her element, and had felt like she belonged here. Maya belonged here. Dr. Bronnard thanked Maya for her sheer enthusiasm and exclaimed that she had been the obvious right choice considering her passion and purpose for this project she was pursuing this summer at his facility. He excused himself to talk with a colleague and Maya spun on her heel with a squeal and looked up delightedly at Arden. 

 

“See? Easy. Quippy, self-assured, brilliant Maya strikes again,” he said enthusiastically. Maya shook her head with laughter and placed a hand on Arden’s bicep to steady herself on her heels. 

 

“That was amazing,” she finally managed. “I’ve never felt less like an imposter in my entire fucking life,” Maya was on cloud nine, she was spinning, and she was little tipsy if she was being honest. 

 

Arden seemed to notice because he said, “You’re not an imposter. I’m going to run to the restroom and get us some water. Those hors d'oeuvres really aren’t soaking up any of this champagne.” Maya nodded and clutched her champagne glass, standing straight. “I’ll be back,” he said, giving her that sweet, soft smile. Someone was going to fall in love with that smile someday. She was honestly surprised no one had yet. 

 

Maya turned around to face the room, drifting off toward an exhibit absently. She wound up in the center of the room, facing a tall wooden sculpture made from driftwood. Her throat tightened suddenly and she let her eyes roam around the delicate carving of the piece. It reminded her of home, something she hadn’t thought about in months if she was being honest. The wood was familiar, the white and green of the wood marred by years on the beach. She took a step toward it, her heart lurching in her chest and reached a hand out to touch it. She wondered if it would feel as cool to the touch as it looked. 

 

“I don’t think you’re supposed to touch that,” a voice said gruffly a few feet away from her. Maya startled and whirled around, some champagne sloshing over the rim of her glass. She stumbled back somewhat and then let her eyes fall on the figure that had chastised her. 

 

Standing in an all black suit, with a black trimmed beard that darkened his whole face was Paul Lahote. 

 

“Oh…fuck,” Maya whispered. She fought from wobbling like a newborn deer on top  of her chunky heels as her eyes stayed glued to that of her imprint. The man she had left nearly 9 months ago after he threatened to keep her on the reservation in an effort to keep her safe, contained, kept. Maya swallowed hard. 

 

That explained the quell of the aching hollowness that usually accompanied her every waking moment. Paul was here, which washed away any of that ache, that pain that she relentlessly beat back for months. He was here and it just disappeared. Was life really that unfair? 

 

“What are you doing here?” Maya managed after a long moment of the two of them just staring at one another. His gaze was hard, angry, furious even. He looked like he was about to rip someone’s throat out, but he remained stock still. Hands in his pockets, silver watch glittering against the art lights overhead. He took a long moment to answer, his eyes taking in her whole face as if he was drinking a glass of water after being fed only salt for months. 

 

Finally, he gestured to the piece behind Maya. The one made of driftwood that felt like home. 

 

“Rachel got some of my pieces into this exhibit. I was required to come as part of the exhibit,” he said almost begrudgingly. 

 

How was he standing so still? She wondered. Maya was fighting everything in her to keep from walking toward him. The imprint thrummed, rearing its head and cried out for him. 

 

“I thought… I thought Jake—” she began. 

 

“Jacob doesn’t know I’m here. I’m away…on work. None of his business. And technically I’m not breaking any,” he gritted his teeth, “ rules .” He spoke the last word with venom. Maya’s heart was beating frantically in her chest, “I didn’t know you’d be here.” He said it with almost disappointment and Maya felt herself nearly crack in two. 

 

Her mouth must have been hanging open slightly because she closed it abruptly and clacked her teeth together. The man before her was definitely Paul, but he was darker somehow. 

 

Anger rippled off of him in waves though there was no tremor to his physical shape suggesting he was fighting from phasing. Instead, his dark brown eyes held nothing but overwhelming malice, thick with what Maya could only place as disgust. But still the hollowness that usually accompanied Maya was nowhere to be found. 

 

Despite his anger and sheer disdain for her, he was here and the imprint soothed a balm of calm across her. 

 

“Sorry to disappoint,” Maya said thickly, to which he scoffed at. Was this how they would be? Or was he just as taken aback as Maya. 

 

“You’re unbelievable, you know that?” he said, frustration coating his tongue. 

 

“Ditto,” Maya shot back, the anger rising in her now, an easier defense than the earth shattering sadness that was threatening to overtake her like a wave, “Glad to see you have the ability to go wherever you want, when you want. Must be liberating.” 

 

“No one’s keeping you away,” he was quick to shoot back, “Check any of your messages lately?” Maya blew out a huff of breath, “You missed Sadie and Seth’s wedding.” 

 

Maya knew that—her mom had told her, but she couldn’t bring herself to return the reservation, not even for that. She opened her mouth to respond to tell him as much, but he carried on. 

 

“Kim had her baby. Oh, and your best friend is pregnant again,” every sentence came out as an accusation. Maya hadn’t known about that last one. Becks was pregnant again? Fuck. “Not like you give a shit,” he said finally. The air hung thick and heavy between them and Maya felt the sharp burn of tears against her eyes. 

 

“Fuck you,” she said through gritted teeth. Paul’s eyes widened in mock surprise and it infuriated her. He nodded and looked down at his feet before looking back up at her. One tear had escaped and flowed quickly down her cheek. Paul’s eyes followed it and abruptly he took a step toward her, as if on reflex, but he stopped. 

 

“Everything okay?” a warm voice next to her asked. Oh no, Maya thought. Her eyes widened again and she felt that warm, reassuring hand on her back again as Arden tugged Maya a tad bit closer, clearly seeing she was in distress. But Maya was worried now that this entire exhibit was about to be shredded into pieces. 

 

Her eyes found Paul, but his gaze was fixed only on Arden. His eyes narrowed, pure daggers thrown as he cocked his head to the side somewhat in challenge. Arden straightened somewhat and Maya thought about stepping away, excusing herself, but she couldn’t leave Arden to the wolves. He would be ripped to shreds. 

 

There was still no tremors indicating Paul was in danger of losing control, but his face was contorted into that of faux chagrin. 

 

“Not at all,” he said, his voice dripping with challenge. “Miss Sunriviere was just admiring my piece, weren’t you?” Paul’s eyes popped to Maya’s face for just a second, pain shot through his features so quickly, Maya wasn’t sure if she had actually seen it or not before he looked back to Arden. 

 

“Ah, I see,” Arden said, not wholly convinced. His hand slid to Maya’s waist and she braced herself for the onslaught, “Maya, there’s someone over here I want you to meet. Nice to meet you Mr.?” Arden paused. 

 

“Lahote,” Paul said stiffly, “Paul Lahote.” 

 

“Mr. Lahote,” Arden nodded and pulled Maya around, his hand coming to rest in the center of her naked back again as he steered her away. Maya felt the heat from Paul’s gaze pierce her skin and when she dared a look over her shoulder back at him, he looked fit to roll into a rage right then and there at that hand on her back and burst into flames, but stayed exactly where he had stood the entire time as if bolted to the floor, unable to move. 





Chapter 51: With you in my head

Chapter Text

There’s this rush I used to get anytime Paul was near but I couldn’t see him yet. Whether he would sneak up behind me or was simply patrolling the forest near our home, I would get this short tingling drop in the pit of my stomach. Like that anticipatory rush at the top of a rollercoaster right before the descent—pure elation, euphoria, bright, light happiness. And that feeling would dissolve into a warm satiated buzz when he would put his hands on me, wrap me in his arms, or lower his lips to my shoulder, the side of my neck, my cheek. Lately though, I’ve been feeling that rush all of the time. As if he’s right behind me, peeking over my shoulder, his warm breath rushing across my neck. When I turn around though, there’s no one there and that unrelenting rush never dissipates into that satisfying buzz. It’s enough to drive anyone crazy.

 




“Cheers!” The collection of engineers, scientists, and interns raised their plastic cups filled with cheap champagne in the heuristic lab room amongst scattered papers and gently whirring machinery. Maya’s blunt, shoulder length hair was half pulled up into a messy top knot and she beamed at the colleagues she had come to know and become friends with this summer. 

 

Dr. Bronnard’s lab held some of the most invigorating and fascinating work Maya had ever encountered. Everyday she woke up in her shared bungalow with Rosalie and Emmett and was thrilled to get to the lab to work. Each day was a new and exciting discovery and Arden had been right—the work that Dr. Bronnard was cross-creating with the aerospace and biodynamics team was right up her alley. 

 

Surrounded by such brilliant and passionate people bolstered Maya’s belief that the decision she had made to stay away from the rez this past year was the right one. She knew she might never have had this same experience otherwise. The drama back home, or pending threats, or urge to take care of her chosen family may have overridden any opportunity. Not to mention that with Paul’s absence this past year, Maya was able to work closely with Arden without interference and show him that she was worthy of his time and effort. His vouch to Dr. Bronnard pretty much guaranteed her spot in this internship and it was safe to say, it had changed her life. 

 

Maya felt good. She smiled at the people around her, casually joking and chatting about all of the breakthroughs and progress they had made this summer. These people had genuinely become her friends and the opportunities this work held for her future were limitless. She had basically secured herself another industry internship Dr. Bronnard was a part of for next year which would ensure her Junior year was well spent in setting up her thesis and job prospects in her final year. 

 

It was all going according to plan. Even Noah had come regularly to visit his parents on the occasional weekend and let Maya tag along with him. Noah’s parents were wonderful, warm, and welcoming. Their home was a generous three story renovated farmhouse—his father’s DIY pride and joy as Noah explained that first sweltering afternoon as they walked up the front porch steps. 

 

The home was a marvel to be sure, all shiny, polished wood, and bespoke flooring. Noah’s dad, Reggie, was a bit of an aspiring carpenter. Maya thought, upon first entry to the home, that Paul would appreciate the love and care Reggie had put into restoring the home, but she quickly pushed that thought out of her head as the familiar ache squeezed at her heart. 

 

Maya spent many weekends at Noah’s family home, helping his mother Martha bake rhubarb pies, picking weeds and gardening a fresh plot of summer squash with Reggie, and even thumbing through some of Noah’s old highschool yearbooks with him in his childhood room. She would throw her head back and laugh every time she came across a floppy haired candid of him amongst his highschool friends. 

 

For once, Maya felt normal. 

 

Rosalie and Emmett rented a cabin in the Ohio wilderness and would spend about a week hunting. The short time alone in the bungalow gave Maya a glimpse into what her life might be like if she carried on this way. She spent time with her new friends from the lab, Noah, and sometimes just quietly by herself. Her nights were slow, and she cooked meals quietly to Rosalie’s beloved thirties and forties love ballads. She’d spend most of those late summer nights tucked into a hammock on the porch or in the soft low light of the cool living room combing through that day’s research and findings. 

 

Each day was peaceful and pleasant. It was one of the best summers she had had in recent memory. Certainly better than last summer with her and Paul so strained. 

 

Still, even in her moments of peace, there was a faint, hollow ache that echoed through her and let her know that something was missing. Maya knew what that meant. The imprint was alive and well. But she didn’t begrudge it this time. 

 

Now, as the celebration began to die down around her in the lab, she smiled as a bittersweet feeling came over her. This is everything she’d wanted so far, and she felt like there was so much more to come. But what would she have to give up to get there? 

 

Maya’s phone buzzed in her pocket and she set her cup down excusing herself from the group of scientists surrounding her. She quickly opened her messages, her heart giving an involuntary flutter. 

 

The fluttering settled once she saw that it was a text from Arden. She promptly opened it, ignoring the still astronomical amount of messages, though now dwindling, that were from home. 

 

Arden: Today’s the last day of your internship, right? When are you back in New York?

 

Maya bit her lip and smiled before replying: Yeah, just finished up today. I’ll be back this weekend. 

 

Maya watched as the bubbles appeared and disappeared on her screen. She couldn’t help the butterfly sensation from erupting in her belly despite herself. It was odd—it was only a microscopic feeling of what she used to experience with Paul, but it was there. 

 

Even stranger, Maya hadn’t heard anything from Paul since she had ran into him at the art show back in May. 

 

For those first few weeks, she was convinced that he would track her down or that Arden would show up with mysterious bruises one random afternoon. But it was all quiet. 

 

No texts. No calls. No Paul on her doorstep. 

 

She didn’t even know if he knew where she lived to be fair. And that felt….weird. Her imprint had no idea where she lived. An involuntary shudder rushed through her, one that left her feeling cold and uncomfortable. 

 

Arden’s reply finally pinged through and Maya raised her cup to lips, letting the bubbles of the champagne tickle her nose as she read from him: 

 

Perfect timing. I’d love to grab a coffee and catch up on everything before the semester starts. Maybe informally interview you for a TA’ship. What do you think? 

 

Maya stared at the text message feeling the swirl of uncertainty flip over and over in her stomach, mixing with the champagne. 

 

Sure. When and where? 

 

She responded with a smile and downed the rest of her glass before slipping her phone into her back pocket.  

 




It was nice to be back in the city. As much as she enjoyed the late afternoons in the lab back in Ohio, she had missed the buzz of New York and all of her usual haunts. When Rosalie, Emmett, and Maya returned that Friday, it was dark and drizzling rain—perfect weather for vampires returning to their city. Emmett carried their bags into the three story Brownstone Carlisle had owned since the early 1900’s. Rosalie and Emmett typically occupied the top two floors and Maya had the entire first floor to herself equipped with a wide marbled kitchen, complete with cozy hearth, couches and lounge chairs that spilled into an ample living room, a library off to the left of the main entry, two large bedrooms and a lush, well manicured garden complete with glassed in sunroom off of the main kitchen. 

 

Maya had only lived at the Brownstone for a couple of weeks before heading to Ohio after the semester ended, but in that short time, she had fallen so deeply in love with it that when she crossed over the doorway, she breathed a sigh of relief. Rosalie gave her a soft smile and promised her and Emmett would join her downstairs in a bit after she got settled. 

 

Maya walked down the hall and set her purse on the marble kitchen island before sinking into a soft, overstuffed yellow armchair in the living room and took a deep breath. The vibe returning to New York was calm. As far as Maya knew, there hadn’t been any new developments regarding the Volturi scouts looking for her. Or any new vampire sightings in Forks or the greater Washington area that seemed to be a threat for that matter. She had gathered that Rosalie and Emmett felt fine leaving Maya mostly on her own both in the city and during her time in Ohio. 

 

Again, Maya felt fortified in her decision to return to New York, despite the tension at home and her falling out with Paul. She never wanted to feel so at odds with her imprint, but for now, it still seemed like the best decision to leave the reservation and leave….him. She swallowed hard and fought back the sting of tears forming behind her eyes. Before she could devolve too deeply into her feelings, Rosalie’s soft footfalls could be heard across the foyer. When she entered the kitchen, she gave her a knowing look, but Maya averted her eyes and was thankful for the distraction when her phone buzzed in her pocket. 

 

She fished it out as Rosalie clinked pleasantly around in the kitchen, no doubt preparing her some tea with a punch. Maya opened her messages and smiled at Arden’s recent text: 

 

If we’re still on for tomorrow, I’ll swing by and pick you about 7. My co-collaborator invited me to the opening of this new ritzy club in Soho. Would you be interested in dropping by with me? 

 

A club. Fuck. Maya would have to really dress up now for this ‘catch up dinner’ that was certainly turning into something more. A feeling akin to guilt started to stir in her stomach, but Maya banished any hesitance and quickly typed back. 

 

This is all starting to feel strangely like a date. 

 

Before Maya could even shoot off her next text he responded with. 

 

We’ll see. 

 

She’d be lying if she didn’t say the quip didn’t send a thrill through her. So, she smiled and typed back. 

 

Sounds good then. I’ll dress accordingly, trash bag and all, and see you around 7 tomorrow. 

 

Maya turned her screen off just as Rosalie set her tea down on the small side table next to her. 

 

“Mm,” Rosalie hummed softly. Maya took a minute before meeting her golden gaze. “I’m assuming that’s Arden.” Maya let out a huff of breath and grabbed her tea. 

 

“We’re catching up over dinner tomorrow,” she said matter-of-factly. Rosalie watched her for awhile and then simply said: 

 

“Just be careful, Maya.” 

 

To which Maya fixed her with a somewhat annoyed stare and shook her head. “Nothing is happening, Rose. I’m not an idiot.” 

 

“I know,” Rosalie said softly, “I just worry about the perception of others in this…delicate situation we have so far successfully maintained.” 

 

“By ‘others’ I’m assuming you mean Paul?” Maya shot back a little too harshly. She closed her eyes tight and just as breathed out a “Sorry” Rosalie stopped her. 

 

“You never have to apologize for choosing this path, Maya. To be honest, while I understand the spirit of a thing like an imprint, it still feels very much like being put into a box sometimes for your friends and family. We just need to be mindful of what gets back to them and how. Jacob…Jacob and I have been friends for a long time now. And he has a tendency to change his mind,” Rosalie said this all very sympathetically and Maya gave her a small smile. 

 

“I know, but if I live under the weight of a fickle alpha decision, I’ll never truly get the life I want out here. Arden is a….friend. A colleague,” she quickly corrected. “I’ll be careful, though.” 

 

Rosalie patted Maya’s hand and got up to grab a book off the bookshelf in the living room and headed out into the soft glow of moonlight in the garden. Maya toyed with a loose thread on the armchair and thought about Rosalie’s words again. There was nothing to worry about. Arden had set a clear boundary with Maya earlier in the year when she’d slipped up. Plus, unless Rosalie and Emmett were reporting back to Jacob—which they’d never said they were—she wasn’t really sure how anyone could perceive her out here. 

 

Still, she’d be careful. If not for herself, then for her life out here. 

 




Just as Maya had expected, the dinner with Arden was friendly and focused solely on her internship in Ohio. He asked her such thoughtful questions and posed ideas to her regarding how to build her thesis around what she’d learned.

 

Maya was happy to just be back and in comfortable company. Rosalie’s warning was unnecessary, Maya thought as she sipped her third glass of white wine and laughed at Arden’s recounting of his hapless solo trip to Rome this summer. 

 

They were friends. Maya could have friends. 

 

After dinner, Arden placed his hand on her lower back and guided her outside to hail a cab so they could drop in on the new club he had mentioned in his text the night before. Maya tugged down at the hem of her burnt orange halterneck mini dress. The soft fabric clung to Maya’s curves and ended tightly just above her knees. 

 

Arden opened the taxi door for her and helped her into the cab. They laughed and chatted all the way to the club and Maya was having such a good time that she didn’t notice Arden’s warm hand on her bare knee. 

 

Once they’d made their way across town, Maya could tell that this was definitely not your average night club hang out. The outside was lined with expensive foreign looking cars and real lighted torches flickered and set the entryway off with a sensual glow. 

 

Arden’s hand landed lower on her back this time and Maya couldn’t shake that tingling tug in her belly as soon as they got out of the cab. He ushered her past the line and through the front door as the guard waved them in without a second glance. Maya beamed up at Arden, completely enthralled by her surroundings. 

 

Once in the main lounge, Maya was overtaken by the high ceilings that glittered with faux starlight and opulent gold chandeliers that mimicked planets. There was a low bar at the center and plenty of lounge spaces with black leather and deep purple suede chairs and couches. 

 

Maya was definitely dressed up, but even here she felt a little out of place. Most of the seats were packed with well-dressed New Yorkers, socialites, and even some celebrities Maya recognized. Low, articulate pop pulsed through the club and the hum of constant chatter buzzed through Maya’s ears. It felt like she was in a much too high-society hangout and was such a stark contrast to the home she had come from that it made her slightly dizzy. 

 

She pushed some hair behind her ear and tucked herself a little more into Arden’s side in hopes of blending in. Arden led her toward the bar and leaned down to whisper softly: “Most of these folks are socialites and artists, so don’t worry too much about giving them the signature science Maya razzle dazzle.” 

 

Maya giggled and ducked her head a bit as they leaned conspiratorially toward one another against the bar. He did have an easy way of drawing out some of the best parts of her personality, she had to admit. Still, that aching tug wouldn’t leave her and Maya grimaced as she brought the fancy cocktail to her lips that Arden ordered her, wishing she had a warm whiskey to calm her nerves instead. She was determined to have a good time despite the sickening feeling growing in her stomach. 

 

Maya was halfway into her second drink when a prickling sensation began on the back of her neck. Arden had stayed close to her by the bar and carried on talking and laughing with her, even touching her occasionally. Although Maya became a little quieter as that aching feeling grew. He didn’t seem to notice though, not even when Maya winced and leaned across the bar to order a water mid-conversation. 

 

He was absently stroking her thigh and carrying on when Maya got the distinct feeling that she was being watched. 

 

Suddenly, the bar felt sweltering and Maya had an overwhelming flash of stress brought on by the last time she was at a club and there were preying vampires about. Instead of bolting, which she desperately wanted to do, Maya covertly glanced around the bar for any standouts. Rosalie and Emmett had schooled her well in picking up on vampires when they were out and about, but Maya couldn’t pinpoint any here, though she was sure there must be given the scene. Her heart rate picked up and she felt a soft bead of sweat start to form on her forehead. 

 

“You okay?” Arden finally said, his voice sounding like he was under water. Maya snapped her head back toward him and swallowed thickly to clear her head.

 

“I, uh,” Maya stuttered and tried to give him her most convincing smile, “No. Yes, I’m fine, I just got a little hot, I guess. This tequila really warms you up,” she joked. Arden nodded and watched her curiously. She was sure she didn’t look too good at the moment. When she felt that sharp tug again at her belly, Maya was awash with a sudden sense of dread. She remembered this feeling.

 

Slowly, she let her eyes sweep across the club again and finally travel up across the elevated area of the club that held VIP sitting areas, roped off with gold chains at the top of a short wide staircase. Maya didn’t have to scan for long before she met the dark pair of eyes that had been staring at her for god knows how long. Sitting in the VIP area on a plush leather couch was Paul.

 

His arms were outstretched on the back of the couch and his left foot was crossed over his right knee. The dark, trimmed beard and soft swept back hair was still the same as it looked from their last meeting all those months ago—seamlessly put together, darkening his entire face, and matching that sharp, brooding look that emanated from his eyes. Maya’s mouth went dry as she let herself drink in his image—black slacks covering his thick thighs, black button up covered with a fitted black sports jacket. His eyes were locked onto her, dark and alight with something terrifying and feral. 

 

A line of fire could have erupted between them from the heat of his gaze on her. Maya’s lips parted as she stared back, and felt that familiar tug in her belly that pooled warm and thrilling at the apex of her thighs: the imprint, or Paul maybe, beckoning her over. Maya snapped her mouth shut and set her mouth in a firm line, turning back to Arden and placing a hand on his bicep to help steady herself as she tried to continue their conversation. 

 

The tug became more persistent though, and the pang between her legs grew to an unbearable level that she could barely concentrate on what Arden was talking about. Her face heated as warmth pooled between her thighs and she abruptly interrupted Arden just as he was going on about something Maya knew she’d be interested in normally: 

 

“Could you excuse me for just a second?” Without waiting for a response from him, Maya hopped up and turned on her heel to stomp toward Paul. His arms were still outstretched across the couch and he turned his head lazily toward her as she ascended the short steps to the lounge area he occupied. He gave her a warm, knowing smile, but his eyes held complete fire. He glanced behind her to see that Arden had stayed put by the bar with a worried grimace on his face for a half a second. Paul let out a short low laugh before turning his attention back to his imprint.  

 

“What the hell are you doing here?!” Maya snapped. Paul let out a low chuckle and the sound sent a thrill through her. This was ridiculous. She had barely seen him in over a year and her body hummed with such intense heat and desire that she thought she would combust on the spot from just his laughter.

 

“You’re being a bit dramatic,” Paul finally replied gently, a condescending tone in his voice, taking a sip from his whiskey. His eyes never left Maya. She bristled at his tone. 

 

“This is New York. There are literally so many other clubs you could go to and you just happen to be at this one?”

 

“Imagine that,” he said bluntly. She couldn’t stand this blase way he drenched his every word in as if he was bored, as if he was fed up, as if he might snap at any moment. Maya’s thighs clenched together instinctively. Her eyes drifted over to the collection of people scattered around the small VIP area Paul occupied. They all gave her varying looks of interest, but no one really paid much attention. A hard blush rose up to Maya’s cheeks regardless. Paul’s eyes lit up at the wash of color on her face. 

 

“I am happy here you know,” she nearly pleaded, as the anger pumped through her, the heat of her blush stinging her ears.

 

“Oh, yeah, I can tell,” he mocked, a cruel smile tugging at the corners of his mouth. Maya took a step forward in her fury as if to grab him or slap him, but she stopped herself. Paul’s eyes shot down to the miniscule step she had taken forward before his gaze slowly traveled up the length of her body to her face. A smug look replaced that blase attitude and Maya stilled as the anger roiled up in her. It was as if getting a rise out of her was the whole point. Or to prove that he still had an effect on her and always would. Maya clenched her fists.

 

“Get over yourself,” she spat, “It’s a little desperate that you keep showing up like this.” She would do anything at this point to throw him off this smug little hill he was standing on. 

 

“Oh, so you’re fucking drunk,” he quipped, his words echoing in his glass as he took another nonchalant sip. Maya almost lost it at that, her fingernails digging into her closed fists as a sharp jolt of anger ricocheted down her spine unpleasantly and landed between her legs. She took a minute to get herself under control before deciding not to take the bait. 

 

This wasn’t her Paul. Or at least, not the Paul she had fell in love with, but something darker, angrier. She couldn’t help but feel like she had driven him to this point and she wondered what it meant. This distance between them, this lapping lick of anger that they threw at one another was what their relationship, or lack thereof, currently rested upon. It filled Maya with such sadness that she had to clench her jaw tightly to dispel the tears fighting their way out behind her eyes. 

 

“Fuck you,” she finally said with a hard smile as she flipped him off. “Have fun watching me walk away. Again,” Maya whirled around, her hair swishing against her back and stomped back down the steps without a second glance. Maya could feel Paul’s eyes burning into her back but she didn’t dare look behind her.

 

The minute she reached the bottom, she felt the imprint slam through her, hollowing out her stomach and making it hard to breathe. Suddenly, the club felt too crowded, over-perfumed, and loud. She didn’t even look up to try and find Arden. Maya knew she had to take a minute of reprieve, to gather herself and catch her breath before returning to him or else he’d ask her too many questions she couldn’t bear to answer. 

 

So, she stumbled off in the direction of what she thought might be a bathroom. Maya pushed through a dark door and found herself in a secluded hallway. Not thinking too much about it, she carried on toward another door at the end of the hallway, and pushed it open. She reveled in the gentle breeze of summer air that hit her face. The door led outside to a dark alleyway and Maya let it close behind her as she leaned up against the cool, damp brick of the building taking in deep lungfuls of air and trying to calm herself down. 

 

Back on the couch, Paul seethed. He had watched Maya stalk away from him, his whiskey glass clenched dangerously tight in his hand. When he watched her make her way out toward the back door, he immediately snapped up and after her, unable to stay seated a moment longer. The people around him gave him an odd glance as he quickly glided off toward the direction Maya had gone, simmering with rage.

 

He had realized her presence the minute she had arrived in the club, that asshole’s arm wound down around her waist and leaning down to whisper something in her ear. It had taken everything in him not to shout at her across the lounge just to get her to see him—Jacob’s ridiculous alpha order not to interfere kept him glued to the spot. Instead, he stewed in his own shimmering rage, disinterested in the conversations happening with his artist friends around him. His eyes had stayed glued to Maya’s form, traveling down her soft curves that her dress clung too. 

 

She made his mouth water. Her image sitting at that bar with that old, fucking professor consumed him and he shot through with feral anger whenever Arden would lean forward to say something closer to her so she could hear, his hand travelling the length of her thigh nonchalantly. 

 

Was this what he meant to her? Their bond, their life? Easily discarded and forgotten at the first opportunity? No. He wouldn’t allow that. She was his. Their bond was taut between them and he could feel it sharpen every day to an excruciating point since she had left him behind. Now, he wielded it against her. Prodding at the imprint to stir her awareness of him in the club. He smirked when he saw that familiar grimace come over her face, that pang of understanding and uncomfortableness that plagued his every waking moment that he wasn’t near her, that she wasn’t underneath him. 

 

The last year had been nothing short of excruciating. Paul knew he had to get Maya back, but this time things would be different. She belonged to him, body and soul, but tethering her to the reservation had been his downfall. Trying to box her in had backfired. This time, she would have to come to him. Willingly. No more promises, no more broken bonds, no more running off. 

 

But in all that time, Paul’s black and burning anger had grown, not necessarily at her, but rather at the absence of her. And, even moreso, at himself. He would get her back, but he didn’t know if he could quell his rage long enough to do it. So, he acknowledged that things might get a little messy.

 

When Maya had finally seen him, her gorgeous amber eyes connecting with his across the room, he knew he had her. When she had stomped over to him, barely acknowledging Arden in her haste, a sick thrill had rocketed through him. And when she was close enough to him, he could smell every enticing inch of her. Getting her angry was easy. Getting her back would be harder. 

 

So, he’d start there—with anger. That oh-so-familiar feeling that he had too much experience with and had tried not to let completely consume him again this past year. Anger. He could get her angry to get her close, or at the very least weaken the alpha order so he could remind her of who exactly he was.

 

Her little charade had been cute—asking him what he was doing here, as if he had even planned their encounter. He hadn’t, but he’d let her think that just to get under her skin a little bit. That pulsing anger would be her undoing if Paul had anything to say about it. Which was why, when she had taken a step toward him after he had mocked her happiness, Paul felt the cinch of the alpha order loosen in that moment. His eyes lit with fire and he worried he was giving too much away, because Maya retreated almost immediately, but not before giving him a hardy ‘Fuck you.’

 

Oh, you will baby. He had thought to himself as he watched her walk off for a moment. Patience had never been Paul’s strong suit however, and the anger ticked a vein in his forehead. 

 

Slamming through the hallway door, he saw it was empty and quickly walked the rest of the way to the door that led into the alleyway. The sound of the metal door banged against the brick wall, startling Maya who had had her eyes closed, with her hands over her face, trying to take calming breaths. 

 

Maya straightened, her back pressed into the cold brick as her wide eyes watched Paul glare at her from a somewhat safe distance. 

 

“What the fuck, Paul?” she nearly choked out. 

 

“You left me, remember? I’m the one who gets to be mad this time,” his voice was grave, halting as he slipped his hands in his pockets. Maya shook her head, unable to hold back the tears this time as one escaped and rushed down her cheek. Her hands shook as the rush of the imprint pulsed painfully through her and she thought she’d collapse on the spot. This wasn’t fair. This wasn’t how it was supposed to be. Why wouldn’t he just go? If he left, maybe she could get this pain under control and get back to her life. She drew in a shuddering breath and closed her eyes tight as the tears came in earnest now. 

 

“Fuck,” she breathed out, pain lacing her tone, “Just…fucking go, Paul. Please just go,” she begged as she wrapped her arm around her stomach. If she had been able to keep her eyes open, she might have seen him take the five short paces to close the gap between them. Suddenly, Maya’s bare back was pressed firmly in the cold brick making her gasp. Her eyes shot open and she was immediately enveloped in his warm, soft aroma. That soft spice and citrus that smelled like the forest after a fresh summer rain invaded her senses and her gaze traveled up his frame to his eyes that were burning with so much anger that it physically made Maya wince. “If this is how it’s going to be, please just…leave me alone,” she couldn’t even say each word fully she was lacking so much breath. 

 

This must be how she’d die—with the imprint tearing her apart piece by piece until there was literally nothing left. He lowered his fact toward hers so she could feel his warm breath cast across face as he said in almost a growl:

 

“I’ve heard you in my head everyday for a fucking year,” his warm hands cupped either side of her neck as his thumbs coasted across her jawline. Maya erupted in goosebumps down her spine at his touch. When he lowered his forehead to hers, his mouth hovering over hers she couldn’t help but groan with need. The imprint thrummed in her, the pain still erupting and subsiding as waves coming in with the tide. Paul was only holding her head against his, leaving just a little bit of space between them, but Maya arched her body up to connect with the line of his and she felt him breathe out across her face as if in relief at the contact. 

 

He was so big. Was he always this big? She wondered as he pressed his entire body against hers in response. Her naked back dug into the brick wall of the alleyway as he ground his hips into hers. Maya was dizzy, she was aching, and that pulse between her thighs was making her knees buckle. She held onto the underside of his biceps to steady herself, but she was close to shattering or bursting apart into a million pieces and scattering across this alleyway. Paul stilled, his eyes closed as he pressed his forehead to hers simply breathing her in, or trying to get himself under control, Maya wasn’t sure. She hadn’t forgotten that feral, dark look in his eyes she had seen just a moment earlier. That cruel and unabashed tone that had eviscerated her heart when she had just been starting to get by again. 

 

Her hesitation was laid plain by her shuddering breaths despite her body pressing and pushing against his, her hips moving of their own accord as her body called out to his. His eyes shot open suddenly, boring into hers and Maya could have moaned for all that need it shot through her. His eyes were wanting, dark, hard, but shining with that same need that she felt. 

 

“Please,” she mouthed wetly, not knowing exactly what she was pleading for. For him to go? For him to stay? Her head was a dizzy mess and Maya would have given anything if this pain and overwhelming sensation would just stop so she could think it through. 

 

Paul’s eyes danced around her face, searching for some answer, but his need overtook him before he found a compelling answer in her and he crashed his lips down on hers, pressing her body impossibly harder onto the brick. Maya groaned and deep inside, she felt her belly erupt into white hot flames and spread outward to every limb, searing that pain clean away and leaving nothing behind but relief. 

 

Her mouth remembered his instantly, and she opened her lips eagerly to taste the forest on her tongue, to taste home again. She had never quite quelled the tears that had burst forth and brought him closer, but she felt their plain wetness on her cheeks as he brushed them away. 

 

Paul let a guttural moan escape into her mouth, chasing his own relief as the imprint rejoiced in both of them. 

 

His hands never left her neck as he gently tilted her head to the side to gain more access to her mouth, hungrily devouring her, claiming what was always his again. Maya was lost in the rush of him, all at once, and she couldn’t breathe let alone pause to think about what it meant. 

 

Here, again with him. It always felt right with Paul, even when she was running, she knew he was it. And if he needed to give chase for a bit so she could get some distance and fulfill her dreams, then so be it. 

 

But this was no longer the chase. Maya was well and truly caught and as Paul let out another satisfied groan into her mouth, she couldn’t bring herself to care just yet. All that mattered in this moment was that that dull ache was finally gone for the first time in a year and Paul was here, kissing her. 

 

Maya had no idea how long they stayed pressed together, reveling in the home they found once again in one another. But when Paul’s kisses softened and slowed, gently peppering her lips and around her mouth, Maya took her first full breath as her eyes opened slowly. 

 

She had no words, as she looked up at the man who had all at once loved her, trapped her, found her, and invaded all of her senses again. Her breathing was labored, but the pain was long gone as she held tightly to him.

 

“Come on,” he said gruffly as his eyes narrowed. He took a step back from her, the cool summer air rushing in and sending a chill across her. 

 

“Where?” Maya breathed out softly, her voice a heady whisper as her heart raced. But she was already following him, her fingers lightly tangled with his as he tugged her down the alley and toward the busy street. She felt like a lamb being led to slaughter, but the ache between her legs urged her on anyway. 

 

When they reached the street, Maya bumped into him and wobbled a bit on her heels. She grabbed the wrist of the hand that held hers and looked up at him as he towered over her, his free hand high in the air as he hailed a cab. 

 

Maya felt like she was floating in a dream and before she could will herself to wake up, the cab pulled up to the curb and Paul yanked the door open to usher Maya inside before he followed her. 

 

She had no idea where he was taking her but when he opened his mouth and easily said, “Upper East, 5th and Madison, please,” it took Maya a moment to realize he had said her address. 

 

“You know where I live?” she finally managed. Paul glanced at her sideways and gave a low chuckle. 

 

“Of course, I do.” He said it so easily, as if she was ridiculous for even thinking he would have no idea where she was at all times. Maya pursed her lips and looked down at their gently clasped hands as the lights of the city washed them in a warm amber glow. “Hey,” he said with a bit of a tenderness. Maya looked up at him and almost lost her breath again just at the sight of him. 

 

She opened her mouth as if to respond, but nothing came out. He smirked and leaned forward to kiss her again, his other hand gently caressing the side of her cheek. Maya felt her nipples tighten and that fresh need sweep through her again. But just as she began leaning into his kiss, running her free hand down his neatly trimmed beard, the cab pulled over and the cabbie cleared his throat. Paul pulled away slowly, his eyes racing across every inch of her face again. Maya was dumbstruck. All from a kiss. 

 

He paid and opened the door, pulling her out behind him and up toward her house like he had been here a million times. Maybe he had. The thought made her heart race as they reached the stoop awash in a soft amber glow from the iron porch lamp that hung above them. 

 

Again, Maya was lost for words and she was seriously starting to second guess her education at such a prestigious school if she couldn’t even string a few words together in front of the man she loved. 

 

They just stood there, looking at each other, standing just a few inches apart. She needed to say something, anything to him. To explain, to set things right, or at the very least ask him what exactly was happening. But she stayed quiet, her body content just to be close to his in the moment and not in pain. 

 

His eyes never left hers as he tried to understand what might be racing through her head. When he suddenly leaned forward slowly, his hand coming up to cradle the back of her neck, Maya’s breath hitched in her throat.

 

“Maya,” he said softly with so much adoration, love, and desire that she thought she was going to combust right there on the doorstep. But instead, he leaned forward, kissed her softly and said, “Goodnight.” 

 

Maya’s eyes fluttered open just as he was stepping away and moving gracefully down the stairs, leaving her there. Her mouth fell open as she watched him push his hands into his pockets and walk down the sidewalk and out of sight. 

 

She stood there for awhile after he had disappeared and when she had finally shut the front door behind her and leaned against it, she breathed out a sigh and said “What the fuck?” 

 

What the fuck, indeed. 

 

Later, when Maya was tucked away in her bedroom, she pulled her phone out and listened to every voicemail and read every message from each of her friends and family back home until the early hours of the morning. 

 

Chapter 52: Not that easy

Chapter Text

There have only been a handful of times where I’ve woken up with a true hangover. Most were spent with Becks and Keye in our highschool days after staying out a tad too late at a local house party and drinking the latest concoction of Quileute kid punch. One was after a truly raucous night at Sam and Emily’s a few months after meeting the pack for the first time and Paul opted for us to just sleep at their place rather than drag me home. The only other time I can remember before that though, was the day after the imprint. I had felt groggy, lightheaded, and like I was going to pass out all day. There was never a point where I didn’t feel actively nauseous and at the time, it felt like a warning. Now I know exactly what it was: the universe shifting and locking into place. Destiny taking hold with her vice grip and squeezing me clean of my senses. 




Maya woke up with a splitting headache and nearly naked in her soft bed. She hadn’t bothered to change into proper pajamas, and had unceremoniously stripped off her dress and thrown on a Columbia university t-shirt as she listened to each voicemail from home like they were episodes of a riveting podcast. 

 

Becks was indeed pregnant again and had called Maya back at the end of April to let her know through a wet, wonderful, tearful voicemail:

 

“Listen, Maya. Something amazing has happened and I know you’re busy and all, but I just wanted to tell you that…that I’m pregnant again. God….” There was a long pause as Maya heard her sniffling and trying to get her tears under control, “I know it seems like a lot. I mean Ephy isn’t even one yet, but I’m so happy and I just….I just wish you were here. And I get it, I really do. You had to do what you needed to to be happy, just like I did what I did to be happy. But, My…I just…Nevermind… I just love you and I wish you were here, you know? Ugh, sorry it’s probably the hormones.” A deep, sounding voice called out to Becks from way off. Probably Jacob coming home. “I gotta go, but I love you and I hope you’re okay. And I hope…I hope I can see you soon.”

 

Maya had listened to that one a couple of times, tearing up herself. She had missed so much. Her phone was filled with messages and photos from her family: 

 

Ephriam’s first birthday. Seth and Sadie’s wedding. Kim’s baby shower and delivery announcement. A bonfire night at Sam and Emily’s. The first Christmas at Jacob and Becks’ with the whole pack crammed into the wide open living room surrounded by piles of gifts. Maya noticed Paul was nowhere in sight in any of the photos and wondered if he had been the one to take them instead or if he was absent altogether. 

 

Keye was also noticeably absent from most of the photos, save for Seth and Sadie’s wedding. There was a beautiful one of her clutching a champagne glass and smiling to somewhere far off. Maya had opened the last and only text she had received from her when she had first skipped town. If anyone could keep quiet about her reaching out, it would be Keye, Maya thought. So she typed out a message in the early morning as the sun was beginning to break over the New York City skyline that simply said: 

 

“I miss you.” 

 

Now, as Maya rubbed her face and glanced toward the long, floor to ceiling windows that spanned an entire wall of her room, looking out over the street below, she considered if last night had been some strange dream. 

 

Late morning light poured through the windows and she groaned trying to clear her head, but the ache and pounding wouldn’t subside. She felt terrible, wrecked, as hungover as her first time drinking Quileute kid punch at Tommy Sutherland’s 16th birthday party on the beach. 

 

Maya threw the covers over her head, trying to get a grip. She felt awful. A soft buzzing to her right let her know that her phone was nearby. Maya groaned and slung an arm over her eyes as she pawed for her phone with the other. She had forgotten to plug it in last night and it was currently sitting around 20% battery as a result. Great. Maya squinted at her phone beneath the covers 

 

5 new messages from Arden

 

“Fuck,” Maya sighed as a fresh wave of nausea rolled through her body. Her teaching assistant orientation was today anyway, so she knew she’d probably catch him on campus. Dealing with it now via text felt like too much. So, she quickly opened the text thread, glanced at the last two messages that read: I just want to know that you’re alright. He looked like that guy from the art gallery, do you know him?

 

She shot off a quick “Hey! I’m so, so sorry about last night. I’ll explain everything when I see you today. I’m okay” and closed her phone again with a groan. 

 

Last night had most assuredly not been a dream. Her muscles felt tight and sore from the sheer tension between the two of them. Her lips felt like they had done battle. But the pain…aside from this cracking headache and the rolling wave of nausea, Maya had no signature hollow ache that she had lived with for the past year. 

 

When Paul had dropped her off last night with a soft kiss and his gentle goodbye, Maya felt like she had been slammed into a brick wall. She was so sure he would claim her last night and there would be nothing really she would have done to stop it. She had wanted him and the imprint had thrown her into such a state of disorientation that he could have probably gotten her all the way to the airport and on a plane before she would have realized what was happening. 

 

But he didn’t. 

 

For all the rage and upset that she knew was boiling inside of him, he had brought her back to her home, kissed her goodnight, and left her on the doorstep. Maya rubbed her forehead and cast the covers off of her before sitting up slowly. She ran a hand across her stomach as if to test for the ache that had accompanied her and sometimes crippled her, but none came. 

 

Maya glanced at her phone again and then dragged herself out of bed and toward the shower. Despite Paul tentatively re-entering her life, he had not reached out and the space felt monumental between them. Maya couldn’t figure out if that was a good thing or not just yet considering everything. Was this just the calm before the inevitable storm that was Paul Lahote? Or was it something different? 

 

Whatever it was, Maya knew she’d have to be careful and avoid slipping into the familiar rhythm of the imprint that would lull her right back into her old problems. 

 




Maya quickened her pace across campus as her navy blue floral mini dress fluttered out around her upper thighs. The thin material clung to her hips and she had thrown on a light wash jean jacket over the delicately tied shoulder straps to prepare for the likely chill of the over air conditioned lecture hall. She had pulled her hair half up and tied a ribbon matching the color of her dress through it and it fluttered gently in the breeze past her shoulder-cropped hair. With the last sweltering days of summer clinging to New York, the less clothes the better, she thought. 

 

Maya readjusted her leather tote on her shoulder ladened down with notebooks and her laptop. She planned on getting some pre-semester work done after the orientation if she could. Her junior year was vitally important to the networking stage of her degree. She’d be busier than ever attending events and gladhanding. Luckily, she had Arden and now Dr. Bronnard in her corner singing her praises, but still, the thought of securing a high-value internship this year sent a nervous thrill through her. 

 

“Maya!” a familiar voice shouted across the quad. Maya slowed and turned to see Arden in a light t-shirt and some slacks. The heat was really getting to everyone. She paused and smiled waiting for him to jog up to her. “I thought that was you,” he said a little breathless, “Are you alright?” he readjusted his bag on his shoulder and reached out to gently graze her arm with his other hand. 

 

“I’m fine,” Maya shook her head, slightly embarrassed and looked down at her feet. “I’m sorry I disappeared on you last night, I—” she looked up to see Arden shaking his head gently. 

 

“You don’t have to apologize, it’s alright,” he said almost knowingly. Maya heaved a sigh of relief. 

 

“Really?”

 

“Really,” his smile was warm and kind as he brought his hand up to cup her cheek. 

 

And again, Maya wondered how no one had fallen in love with it yet. But maybe that was it, maybe someone had.

 

“I told you, I see you. I get it,” he promised. Maya nodded and couldn’t help leaning into his hand. “Are you ready?” he nodded over her shoulder toward the lecture hall letting his hand drop. 

 

Maya looked up at the double doors and then eagerly back toward him with a wide smile, “Absolutely.” Arden nodded his assent and wound his hand down her back and gripped her hip as they walked toward the front doors. He grabbed the door and held it open for her as she slipped through. 

 

The TA’ship was completely informal. Only Maya and two other undergrads were selected by professors to shadow their grad courses and grade papers. They wouldn’t be teaching anything, but it was a special opportunity to get a head start on some upper level material, work closer with grad students who were starting their research and even have the opportunity to work with their professors on their research. 

 

Arden of course had selected Maya for the position and she was thrilled to be sandwiched between two studious looking grad students in the lecture hall as head of the TA program droned on about expectations. Being Arden’s unofficial TA meant that she would most likely be spending more time in his office again with him. The thought made her chew her lip in worry and excitement. Without the dull ache present in her belly, Maya was able to consider a life of possibilities without the imprint tugging her attention away. 

 

But still, she was worried. If the ache was gone, that had to mean that Paul was nearby. But so far, he was keeping his distance. 

 

After the orientation, Maya laughed as Arden led her down the staircase from the front doors, regaling her with yet another story about a mishap that happened in his lab prep last week that had resulted in several thousands of dollars worth of regent test strips getting ruined. 

 

Maya leaned into Arden’s side as she held her stomach in laughter, her jean jacket hanging loosely from her hand as the sun washed over the bare skin of her shoulders and neck. As they reached the bottom of the stairs, Maya lifted her head and wiped a stray tear that had escaped her eye from laughing so hard and was halted to a stop. 

 

Arden looked down at her, his hand resting on her lower back confused at her sudden stop and lifted his eyes to where she was staring. 

 

Standing off to the side against the brick wall of the adjacent building was Paul. His massive arms were folded across his chest clad in a black t-shirt. His face was pulled into a grimace as he watched Maya sway uncertainly. He didn’t move though. 

 

Maya looked up at Arden, her eyes swimming with confusion and a plea of understanding. He glanced at Paul and then smiled comfortingly down at Maya. “You going to be okay? Or should I wait for you?” 

 

Maya let out a solid breath and let a small smile break over her face. “Thank you,” she said softly, “I’ll be fine. I’m just going to see what he wants,” Maya said, her voice only slightly wavering. Arden watched her for a moment, not sure about leaving her but ultimately, after another glance in Paul’s direction he conceded and gave a brief nod. He squeezed her arm gently and said “I’ll be in my office. Text me if you need me,” before heading off across the quad toward the science building. 

 

Maya didn’t move for a moment, her eyes glued to Paul’s across the way. He looked furious, as he most often did now with each of their meetings, but Maya’s lips tingled with the remembrance of his mouth on hers last night. Resolved to not lose her way this time, she swallowed hard and walked purposefully toward Paul. His eyes watched her every movement: the soft sway of her hips, the soft fleshy tremble of her upper thighs that peaked out of from under the flimsy fabric of her dress as she walked, the subtle bounce of her breasts, the swing of her arms, and the curl of her fingers into gently fists. 

 

What he wouldn’t give to rip that dress off of her and remind her of who he was. 

 

Maya stopped a few paces away from him, her brain already fogging from his heady scent. She fought the urge to cross her arms over her chest, mirroring his position. 

 

“Hi,” she said gently, the wind blowing her hair across her shoulders. Paul’s intense gaze held her and he just gave her that wicked smile, one that promised he’d wreak havoc on her heart if she let him. When he didn’t say anything, she rolled her eyes and swore she heard a soft growl come from him in response, “What are you doing here?” she said with more impatience. 

 

Paul pushed off of the wall and walked a little closer to her. Maya stiffened. 

 

“I was going to take you to lunch,” he said, his voice a rumble of pure temptation, “If you were hungry.” Maya stayed stock still, worried that any movement would draw that lustful gaze and set her on fire. “Unless, you were busy with…something else,” he said the last part through gritted teeth as he glared pure malice over her shoulder where Arden had disappeared into the science building. 

 

She didn’t have plans…but, “Just lunch?” she asked tentatively. She desperately wanted her voice to come out stronger and not with that tinny undercurrent of need currently coating it. Paul’s eyes snapped back to her and he fought back a scowl at the distrust he found on her face. 

 

He gave her one solid nod and Maya relaxed, taking a deep breath. “Fine,” she said. “But I need to be back here by 2:30 for a meeting,” she lied. There was no meeting but at least it gave her a deadlined to adhere to. She worried if she didn’t set an end time for herself, she’d never leave his side with the imprint itching at her brain like this. 

 

He held out his hand to her in agreement and Maya hesitated only slightly before slipping her hand into his. His warm, reassuring palm sent an electric shock through her and she swallowed the gasp that fought up her throat. They started down the quad together and Paul reached around her to grab the bag off of her shoulder so he could carry it. Thankful for the lack of weight, she stepped closer to him, pressing her side against his arm as they walked toward one of the campus parking lots. 

 

Though they walked in silence, the tension buzzed through Maya’s body, tightening her nipples into hard peaks and swirled in agonizing lightning between her legs. When they reached the sleek black Mercedes, Maya hesitated again. He opened the passenger door for her and quickly walked around to the drivers side, depositing her bag into the backseat first. Maya bit her lip and hesitated at the open car door. 

 

“Paul,” she said quickly. He looked at her, that fire still brimming in his eyes. If looks could kill… “Just lunch, right?” she heard herself nearly beg. Paul openly scowled now and rolled his head back. 

 

“Maya, I’m not going to fucking kidnap you. Just get in the car,” he said harshly. Maya frowned. It was not outside of the realm of possibilities that he would placate her and then steal her away—he’d done it before. When she didn’t move, he placed both of his arms on the top of the car and leaned forward, “You already ran away once, what would be the point of me dragging you back to the rez if I know you’re just going to run from me again the first chance you get?” His voice dripped with anger but there was also regret. Maya pursed her lips and then nodded getting into the car without further protest and quickly snapped on her seatbelt. 

 

Paul sank into the driver’s seat and when he shut his door, Maya’s senses were once again flooded with the intoxicating scent of him. Immediately, she felt that ache thrum between her thighs and had to stifle a gasp. This was ridiculous—if she was going to have this reaction every time she was close to him, she didn’t stand a chance of maintaining control. When he turned on the car, she rolled down the window and ignored his look of curiosity as he navigated them toward their unknown lunch destination. 

 

They drove in comfortable silence. Maya leaned on her arm toward the window and tried not to react when she felt Paul’s hand rest gently on her upper thigh. His thumb stroked lazy circles on her skin and Maya ignored that heat that pooled between her legs quickly in response.

 

After about ten minutes of pure silence, Paul slid the car up to a valet who opened the door for Maya and helped her out. Paul was quick to come around and place his hand gently on her lower back, his fingertips just grazing her hip. The searing heat of his hand seemed to burn through the thin fabric of her dress as he led the way to the elevator. Maya shivered in the air conditioned hotel and slotted her body next to Paul’s to absorb some of his warmth. Paul’s hand slid to her hip and squeezed and Maya couldn’t help but look at their reflection in the mirrored elevator doors as they slid closed in front of them.

 

Paul was looking down at her as she stared straight ahead. When she leaned her head against his shoulder, he gently kissed the top of her head for a half second before straightening as the doors opened. A gleaming hostess stand stood just outside of the elevator. In a gruff tone, he checked them in for their reservation as if perturbed by their sudden lack of aloneness.

 

Maya smirked and let him lead her out onto the rooftop, following the hostess. He pulled out her chair and she sank down into it with a soft ‘thank you’. 

 

When he settled across from her, she trained her eyes on him and with humor said, “So, you were just so sure I would accept your invitation that you made a reservation, huh?” 

 

Paul raised an eyebrow at her and shook his head with a chuckle as he looked out over the glass partition that gave them a spectacular view of the upper east side. 

 

“I hoped,” he said before he looked back at her, “I didn’t know if you would accept, but I did hope.” 

 

“Mmm,” Maya hummed as she sipped some water. After a beat of silence where he just stared at her, she let out a huff and asked teasingly, “Sooo, how are things?”

 

The side of his mouth quirked up into a heartbreaking grin. His tight, trimmed beard covered that signature dimple she would so often press whenever she had made him laugh particularly hard. But she liked this look on Paul, albeit a bit darker, and more sinister. Before he could respond, the waitress came over and took their drink orders. Maya ordered a white wine to which Paul raised an eyebrow. 

 

“You sure you don’t want the lavender gin and tonic?” he asked curiously. Maya gave him a tight smile and shook her head, reaffirming to the halted waitress that she’d have the white wine. When she nodded and parted, Maya turned back to Paul and sank back into her chair. 

 

“You don’t know everything about me anymore,” she shot back quietly. Paul’s jaw ticked tightly and he looked off into the distance again. His knuckles were white as he gripped the arms of his chair and tried to calm himself. “So?” Maya prompted again. Paul let out a frustrated breath and looked back at her before shrugging. 

 

“Everything is fine. Business is good. I’ve expanded my client base out here and my work has gone over well.” He said everything so matter-of-factly, as if it didn’t please him to have been so successful. His body language was tight and his shoulders visibly tensed. Maya tilted her head to the side as she observed him. 

 

He was already irritated, maybe not with her, but just in general—she could see it coloring his face. The waitress dropped their drinks off and asked if they’d like to order lunch. Maya opened her mouth to order the seared scallops and risotto but Paul beat her to it. 

 

“She’ll have the scallops and risotto, side salad with arugula instead of spinach and the raspberry vinaigrette. I’ll take the steak salad,” he smiled at the waitress who glanced at Maya. Maya just nodded and she took off quickly. 

 

When she turned to level Paul with a look of incredulity, she was met with a teasing smile. One that begged her to say something. 

 

“Tell me again how I don’t know anything about you anymore?” he prompted after a short beat of silence. Maya brought the wine glass to her lips and took a soft sip, shaking her head and stifling a giggle. His eyes sparkled with amusement and she momentarily lost her breath. There was the Paul she knew, not this angry, sharp version he had been presenting thus far. She decided to take a chance with her next question seeing as she had successfully put him into better spirits. 

 

“So, how far along is Becks?” she said quickly, holding onto her wine glass. Paul’s face fell back into a grimace and he scoffed angrily. 

 

“You could just call and ask her, you know,” he said around his whiskey glass. 

 

“You don’t have to be a dick about it,” Maya shot back, her voice slightly rising. 

 

“And you don’t have to be this stubborn. For fuck’s sake, Maya. That’s your family, they just want to hear from you,” he kept his voice low but the rage coating his tongue was spitting fire in Maya’s direction.

 

“You know what,” Maya said abruptly as she set her wine glass down with a little too much force, sloshing wine over the edge, “I don’t have to listen to this,” she pushed away from the table, but Paul rose at the same time to meet her. 

 

“Wait,” he said, grabbing her arm harshly. Maya looked down at his hand squeezing her arm and frowned. 

 

“Let go of me,” she said as she tugged, but he wouldn’t. 

 

“I’m sorry,” he said between gritted teeth, “Please sit down.” Maya glared at him and shook him loose before sitting back down in her chair. 

 

Paul ran a hand through his black hair that had grown out long enough to curl a little at the ends by his ears. Before he sat back down, he clenched and unclenched his hands into fists a few times. 

 

“She’s about five months, give or take,” Paul finally said, his voice barely hiding the anger, “She’s doing well. No complications so far and Jacob has chilled out considerably since it’s their second and he feels more prepared.” 

 

Maya fought back the well of emotion gathering in her throat. She swallowed thickly and followed it with a strong gulp of wine before she said, “Hard to imagine Jacob being chill about anything, let alone his pregnant wife.” 

 

“How did you know they got married?” Paul asked innocently, genuine confusion on his face. Maya’s mouth suddenly dropped open and the sting of sadness poked at her belly. 

 

“Wha—” Maya began. 

 

“Seared scallops and risotto,” The waitress interrupted, “And a steak salad. Anything else I can get for you at the moment?” 

 

Maya was speechless, tears clearly pricking at the corner of her eyes now. Paul thanked the waitress and dismissed her politely as he leaned forward across the table to take Maya’s hand. Maya pulled in a sharp breath, fighting to steady the sob trying to claw its way out of her throat. 

 

“Hey, hey,” Paul said gently as he held onto her limp hand on the table. His thumb stroked the back of her hand softly as he said, “It’s okay. No one knew for a while and no one else was there. They just sort of…did it on a whim,” he soothed. Maya looked out over the skyline and nodded. 

 

“I shouldn’t be upset, I know,” she admitted, surprising herself. Paul shook his head. 

 

“That’s not…” Paul sighed and let Maya’s hand drop as he leaned back in his chair. “Maya, you can’t expect life on the rez to stop just because you left.” He didn’t mean it as an insult, but it shot Maya right through the heart to hear it. 

 

“I know that!” she snapped as she turned toward him, “Don’t you think I know that?” The tears were flowing freely now and she hated again how she had dissolved into a teary mess in front of him for the second time. She wiped at her cheeks angrily and took another drink of wine. 

 

“Let’s talk about something else,” he said firmly as he leaned forward to dig into his salad, “Tell me about your internship.” 

 

Maya sniffled and nodded, picking up her fork and taking a deep breath. She could talk about that. Anything to get her mind off of what she was missing, what she was sacrificing for a different kind of happiness she was chasing out here. 

 

For the next two hours, Maya and Paul talked about anything and everything as long as it didn’t touch on home. She forgot how easy it was to be around him, to hear the occasional chuckle (he refused to allow himself to laugh) and feel that warmth spread from her belly to every inch of her. She had missed him. Plain and simple. 

 

After lunch, he led her to the elevator and when the doors dinged shut, he turned toward her, pulling on her hip to set her flush against him as he leaned down, cradling the side of her neck with his other hand and bringing his lips down softly onto hers. Maya let out a soft whimper at the contact as a sizzling sensation burned pleasantly from her lips and down her spine. She opened her mouth to him and he greedily entered, letting his tongue swipe along her lower lip and into her mouth. 

 

Maya clutched at his bent shoulders, tugging him down more to bring him impossibly closer as the heat swirled and sank in her belly to her core. His hand moved from the bruising hold on her hip to knead the flesh of ass, slipping under her dress. He groaned into her mouth and when Maya took it as an invitation to bite gently down on his lip, she received a harsh slap to her ass cheek that made her yelp and dampen. 

 

She was hungry for more, but all too soon, he wrenched his hold off of her just as the elevator doors dinged open into the lobby of the hotel again. Maya was panting, her cheeks flush with heat as she allowed Paul to ferry her to the valet. He gave her ass one more pleasing squeeze before she sank into the passenger seat. 

 

Maya tucked some hair behind her ear and tried to quell her furiously thumping heart. She couldn’t concentrate on anything else on the car ride back and was thankful for Paul’s silence as she tried to get herself under control. 

 

When he dropped her off at the main entrance to campus, Maya hastily exited the Mercedes with a quick goodbye. But he rolled down the window and called out to her and she couldn’t bring it in herself to resist. 

 

She leaned down through the open passenger window, breathless and still flush with desire. 

 

“Yes?” she breathed. He gave her that teasing smile again before he said gently. 

 

“Can I see you again?” So innocently, as if she even had a choice. But she appreciated the request, nonetheless. 

 

“When?” Maya asked, trying to sound cool. Paul grinned and looked away and for a brief moment, she thought he might be onto her. 

 

“There’s this event I need to go to on Thursday at the Met. A bunch of artists will be there, but it’s mostly a chance to network. These things are usually pretty boring, but the Met is cool and it would probably be more fun if you were there.” He said it all so nonchalantly. Maya rolled her eyes affectionately and echoed:

 

“Probably,” before nodding and saying with genuine excitement, “I’d love to.” 

 

“Great, then I’ll see you Thursday,” his voice wavered slightly and Maya wasn’t sure what to make of it. 

 

“See you Thursday,” she said softly as she backed away from the car and turned on her heel to jog toward the science building. She could still hear the soft rumble of his Mercedes even though she was a bit of distance away, so she called out over her shoulder, “Stop staring at my ass!” 

 

She heard that achingly wonderful laughter bubble out of him from far off and it made her heart thump wildly in her chest. 

 

Whatever this was that they were doing at the moment, she had to admit, she really liked it. 

 


 

Maya checked her outfit in the golden arched filigree mirror that towered over her in her room. Rosalie was lounging on her bed, flipping through a mechanics magazine with a bored look on her face. 

 

“I don’t know why you don’t just wear the vintage Valentino. It’s classic Met,” Rosalie said for the umpteenth time. 

 

Maya smiled and readjusted the thin straps of her deep magenta halter. The material was well made and tailored exactly to her curves. The top acted almost as a bustier and pushed her cleavage up spectacularly. The matching magenta wide-legged, pleated pants billowed out around her legs, giving the look an airy, elegant feel. Maya leaned down to adjust the strap of her strappy black heels. 

 

“I’m going for a different look. There’s going to be some artist-types there and I don’t want to look too stuffy,” Maya said as she crossed the room to don her gold bangle bracelets from Jeremy. 

 

“At least wear my teardrop diamond earrings. They’ll class up the place a bit,” she set down her magazine and gracefully slid out of the room before Maya could even protest. 

 

She fluffed at her black tousled hair that ended just above her shoulders. Maya swallowed hard to help quell that giddy feeling tumbling in her stomach. It felt like a first date with Paul all over again. The uncertainty, the thrill, the hope for his touch. Still, Maya would need to be careful to not let herself get too caught up too quickly in him. With the pull of the imprint, it was easier to get lost in chasing down your feelings and letting it all consume you. This time, Maya would have more going into it and she would try her best to actively manage those feelings so that everything felt like a choice, rather than a reflex. 

 

About fifteen minutes later, as Maya put on the finishing touches to her look (dark ruby red lipstick, her ring and woven bracelet from Paul, and the diamond earrings Rosalie insisted on), Emmett appeared in her doorway with his hands in his pockets. 

 

“Someone’s here for you,” he said gently with a teasing smile. Maya felt a rush of butterflies and her heart fluttered unexpectedly. 

 

She hurried past Emmett and down the darkened hallway to the front door. She grabbed her black leather clutch off the table and pulled open the door to echoes of laughter and “Have fun!” from down the hall. 

 

When she shut the door behind her, she was more readily able to focus her gaze on the man below. He leaned against the passenger door of the black Mercedes, one leg crossed in front of the other with his hands buried in his pockets. Maya let her eyes slowly take him in: he was dressed in an all black suit, with black leather shoes that shone in the overhead lamplight. His dark black jacket offset the cloth with black silk lapels that glinted subtly in the evening light. Maya finally let her gaze fall on his face. His dark, tight trimmed beard accentuated his sharp jaw and his hair was swept back effortlessly as if he had just run his hand through it. 

 

Maya hesitated at the top of the steps, stunned into actual silence as she felt the imprint pull at her to close the distance. Paul must have felt it too because he shifted his stance and stood taller, looking up at her and giving her a gentle smile. Maya returned it and slowly descended the stairs, reminding herself of her promise to herself. 

 

When she landed just in front of him, his warm citrus and spice scent washed over her and she fought to simply keep her balance. Even in her heels, she barely reached his chin, and she gazed up at him with a soft smile. 

 

“Hi,” she said gently. He let out a small chuckle as he replied, 

 

“Hi,” and brought his hand up softly to cup her cheek. His eyes were filled with warmth, but Maya could tell he was holding some emotion back, maybe also trying to temper the pull of the imprint to give him the space to just feel what he needed to. 

 

The hand that cupped her cheek fell away and he tugged lightly at the ends of her hair, “This is shorter,” he said in a gravelly tone. 

 

Maya shot him a teasing grimace, “I needed a change.”

 

“A lot of change, apparently,” he said in an even tone, his eyes still lovingly roving her face. 

 

“What? You don’t like it?” Maya shook her head playfully. 

 

“I didn’t say that,” he said gently, taking a step toward her. Maya shuffled back a bit and he took it as an opportunity to open the passenger door for her. “Come on, we’re going to be late.” 



Maya had been to the Met a few times during her time at Columbia. Sometimes with friends and once for a civil engineering class where they got to tour some of the preservation rooms. But, she had never been here at night for an event of any kind, and the Met at night was something special. 

 

Maya took Paul’s hand as they ascended the staircase to the grand entrance. Once inside, the air was buzzing with the hushed and hurried voices of artists and socialites alike. Paul didn’t let go of her hand as he pulled her through the crowd, deeper into the museum as if he was in search of something. 

 

There were new, temporary exhibits erected throughout the main hall and Maya couldn’t help but gawk at the sheer beauty of some of the sculptures. Paul ferried her through them though, not pausing to let her look properly as he nodded to some people he knew. 

 

“Paul. Where are we going?” Maya said breathlessly as the crowd seemed to thicken. Paul was looking for someone and if Maya was being honest, she didn’t really care who it was as he continued tugging her mercilessly through the crowd. She just wanted to pause and take it all in for a second.

 

Just as Maya was about to tug her arm back, Paul halted and Maya nearly crashed into him. She steadied herself and glared up at him, but he hardly noticed as he said to the person in front of him. 

 

“I’m here, showing my face. Happy?” his tone was only somewhat annoyed with the fact that he needed to check in with someone at all. Maya let her gaze sweep down to the culprit and swallowed roughly, suddenly feeling like someone had dumped a bucket of sand down her throat. 

 

“Thank you, Paul. I never doubted you for a second,” Rachel Black raised her champagne glass in salute, surrounded by elaborately dressed people and then her gaze glanced next to him. Unexpectedly, her jaw went slack and her eyes lit up with shock and amusement, “Maya?!” she nearly screeched. 

 

“Uuuh,” Maya stuttered out, still clutching Paul’s hand. But a moment later, Rachel had flung her body toward hers in a bone crushing hug. 

 

“Oh my goodness, it’s so good to see you!” she said, truly elated. Maya let out a small laugh and hugged her back before letting Rachel pull her to arms length to get a good look at her. “My god, you look amazing! How is Columbia? How are things?” 

 

“Things are..things are…” she glanced up at Paul but he was a stone wall. Very helpful, “Things are good,” she breathed out and Rachel just kept smiling. 

 

“Good! Well you know this one, so tight lipped. I thought you had fallen off the face of the earth with how secret he was keeping you. We miss you around Seattle!” It didn’t seem like Rachel knew what had happened between them. Was that Paul’s doing? Maya played along, grabbing the champagne glass that Rachel plucked from a passing waiter and handed to her. “But, I mean of course, New York is just such a great transition for Paul’s work. Plus you’re here!” Rachel continued rambling and Maya sipped slowly. Paul had let go of her hand to shake someone else’s hand who had walked up to him. He was now in casual conversation, his hands shoved deep into his pockets and Maya tried her hardest to play it cool. 

 

Rachel talked Paul up for about ten minutes before he snaked his arm around Maya’s waist and tugged her away, stating that he needed to introduce some people to Maya. Rachel gave her a kiss on the cheek and promised to call her to get together for lunch soon. 

 

When Maya was whisked away, her head felt like it was spinning. She looked up at Paul, but he still maintained that determined, quiet demeanor that gave nothing away. Maya fought back an eye roll and he squeezed her hip in response as if answering some silent question she had posed to him. 

 

True to his word, Paul introduced her to some of his artist friends—sculptors, painters, and metalsmiths alike—all of whom were very much a part of the New York City art scene but still managed to be decently down to Earth. They were  polite and asked her thoughtful questions about her degree. One of the painters even wanted her insight on some common bi-products in industrial bioengineering that could be recycled into reusable materials for a piece she was working on. 

 

Maya was bubbling with excitement as she spoke about her life, her research, everything; but out of the corner of her eye, she noticed Paul had moved away from her and was talking to another group of people in another corner of the room after awhile. 

 

Strange—the feeling of him not being glued to her side. It was all at once liberating and cold. She craved his warmth, but appreciated the space. Maya carried on talking, nodding, and smiling, trying to parse through the actions of this new Paul. 

 

Maya was so caught up in conversation as the evening carried on, that she startled when she felt his warm hand press to her lower back and slot back into her side. 

 

“Do you mind if I take her back? I want her to meet some people,” Paul announced. They all cheers’ed Maya before letting her be steered away by Paul toward another waiting group. 

 

Maya smiled up at Paul and wrapped her arm around his back as he led her into one of the smaller rooms of the museum, scattered with sculptures. They approached a group of important looking people and before she could even open her mouth to say hello, Paul introduced her: 

 

“This is Maya,” he paused and glanced down at her uncertainly before carrying on, “She’s my…uh, friend…studying bioengineering at Columbia.” 

 

Friend? 

 

Maya internally cringed and felt her arm slip from around his back and hang loosely at her side. They all greeted her happily, and Maya smiled back after a bit of a delay and tried to stay present in the conversation as Paul’s hand sat loosely on her waist as he carried on talking. 

 

She was introduced to a few more groups as Paul continued to make his rounds and each time, he seemed to hesitate in how to describe her. It bristled her, made her feel something deep in the pit of her belly that reminded her oddly of jealousy. But there was no one to be jealous of. Paul was standing at her side, hand wound around her as his thumb stroked lazily on her hip. 

 

Yet, here she was simmering with a subtle anger that pulsated with annoying precision in her belly at being called friend.

 

At a lull in the conversation, Maya excused herself to go to the bathroom to try and get a hold of herself. Her mind was still spinning at the fact that she was here with Paul, but now that he had seemingly distanced himself from her with the moniker of friend, her entire world felt a little upended. And the worst part was, she could hardly blame him. She had shamelessly flirted and kissed Arden while they were apart. Being called his friend was generous considering they’d had almost no contact for the past year. 

 

So why did Maya’s neck feel ungodly hot as she leaned over the sink and pressed a cold paper towel to her chest to cool down? 

 

After a few minutes of deep breathing in the bathroom and telling herself to get a grip in the mirror, Maya re-entered the main area. But instead of returning to Paul’s side, she wandered off up the grand staircase and leaned against the marble railing of one of the balconies that jutted out, overlooking the main area below. Maya leaned down and rested her forearms on the wide, cold stone railing and let her eyes sweep across the crowded floor. 

 

She didn’t know how long she stayed up there, watching and letting the voices rise up to echo around her, but it seemed no time had really passed at all before she felt familiar warmth next to her. Paul handed her a glass of champagne and leaned his back against the railing, looking in the opposite direction as he said, 

 

“Having any fun?” his tone was neutral, unreadable. She wasn’t sure if it was a genuine question or one that poked at her obvious distraction. Still, Maya couldn’t seem to burst that bubble of anger bouncing around inside of her. She shrugged and took a long sip from her champagne glass before standing upright. 

 

“Are you asking me as a friend or…?” She gave him an icy sidelong look. His eyebrows knit together in confusion for a moment before realization dawned on him. 

 

He chuckled looking down at his shoes as he nodded his head momentarily before saying, “So are we not friends?” 

 

“That’s not what I mean and you know it,” Maya said sharply back while begging herself to calm down. Why was she so upset? Paul stood straighter, squaring his shoulders and facing her with his hands in his pockets. If he was anyone else she might be a bit intimidated, but this was Paul. Nothing about him could scare her at this point. 

 

“Did that bother you? Me introducing you as just my friend?” Paul asked in a gentler tone. Maya took another sip from her champagne and kept her eyes glued to the throng of people below, unable to answer. Paul looked off to the side for a minute, his jaw ticking tightly as if he was considering something and then he said, “I’m just trying to give you some space. Without pressure. You’ve proven yourself a flight risk and I don’t want to push it.” 

 

Maya swallowed, still unable to meet his eyes as she said, “I know what I did hurt you. But I did it for me and I don’t regret it. I am sorry that I did hurt you, though. So if all you want to be is my friend from now on then that’s fine, but don’t kiss me in dark alleyways and make me think differently then. That’s not very just-friends-behavior of you.” 

 

She chanced a glance at him and saw the clear anger wash over his face before she looked away. Was she being silly? Maybe. But the fire erupting in her from the imprint felt oddly like rejection she had never known and it was making her dizzy and impulsive. There was a too long pause from Paul before she turned toward him and he shot back: 

 

“Last I checked, you had a couple of friends that you didn’t mind hanging on and fucking around with.” 

 

“Excuse me?” Maya shot back quickly, setting her champagne glass down with too much force. 

 

“Oh, or is that different? Tell me Maya, what is acceptable friend behavior to you? Because I’m lost,” he was leaning forward with clear aggression on his face and Maya grit her teeth in response. 

 

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she said through her teeth. Paul popped his eyes open a little wider. 

 

“What about whatever the fuck his name is….Arden? Everytime I find you, his fucking hands are all over you. All over what’s mine. So excuse me if I was just treating you with the normal friend behavior I’ve seen other people use with you.” 

 

“Fuck you,” Maya said loud enough that it echoed quickly around them. She swung around to stomp off but he lunged and grabbed her upper arm, whirling her around and leaning down so his face was level with hers. The fire in her met the fire in him. 

 

“Try again,” he growled, his hand squeezing her upper arm lightly. Maya recovered quickly from being pulled around and narrowed her gaze to meet his before repeating with the full weight of her anger reddening her cheeks: 

 

“Fuck….you,” she seethed enunciating each word with venom. A sick smile pulled across Paul’s face for a moment before he yanked her forward and let his lips crash down upon hers, sweeping the breath from her lungs. Maya let out a startled moan, her hands clenched into tight fists as she tried to pull back away from him for a moment. 

 

But he snaked his arm around her waist and lifted her slightly, moving her across the floor until her back met with a cold marble pillar. Her mouth opened to his as if on instinct and she quickly dissolved into the mind numbing pleasure of his mouth moving across hers, his tongue pressing and tangling with hers. 

 

Paul’s hand dropped to her ass and squeezed harshly, causing another moan to escape Maya’s throat. He pressed her harder into the pillar, grinding his hips against hers as their kiss deepened and pulled Maya further under in the haze of her imprint’s dominating presence. He caged her in against the wall, but there was nowhere Maya wanted to run to. Her hands loosened from fists into soft open-faced palms that roved around his chest, his shoulders, his waist. She wanted to feel all of him around her. 

 

His steady, hot heat enveloped her senses, making her body hum with excitement. And her erratic heartbeat matched the excited shuddering of his body. There was nothing else but him in that moment and Maya let herself be momentarily swept away. 

 

When he tugged her body away from his and held the back of her neck tight in his grip, she almost whimpered at the absence of his mouth on hers. She was deranged, off the rails with desire and she knew there was only one way to wipe her mind clean of it. 

 

“Let’s get out of here,” he breathed, his voice husky and dark as his eyes held her gaze. Maya nodded without even realizing it and no sooner had she agreed than he was whisking her off down the stairs, tugging her along on the edge of the crowd and making as minimal eye contact as possible so they wouldn't be held up. 

 

The most excruciating wait was for the valet to bring Paul’s car around. Maya clenched her thighs together and silently willed him to look at her so she could capture his mouth again, but he kept his gaze hard and focused out on the road, his arm tightly gripped around her waist, his own pulse racing wildly. 

 

When the valet finally arrived with his Mercedes, Paul yanked the passenger door open and Maya climbed inside, suddenly realizing in the quiet of the car that she was still breathing hard. Once in, Paul quickly navigated them with unnerving precision onto the road and raced as reasonably as traffic allowed further down into Manhattan. 

 

The car ride back was silent, the air between them electrified with tension and the only sound that Maya could hear was her own heartbeat drumming in her ears. Paul kept his eyes on the road, his hands gripping the wheel dangerously tight. 

 

When Paul whipped the car into the drop off valet of a very fancy hotel, Maya’s eyes widened. She didn’t know exactly where he was taking her, but home was a pretty safe bet. Now she realized the error of her assumption. Before she could say anything, Paul had exited the car and handed the keys to the valet who nodded as if he recognized him. Shortly after, Maya’s door was opened and Paul was taking her hand and gently tugging her from the car. 

 

There was no conversation between them, and Maya was thankful for it. Conversation would have distracted her from the thrumming between her legs that she was keenly hoping he would take care of once they were locked away behind his hotel door. 

 

He steered her to the elevator and when the golden doors shut with a pleasing ping, Paul’s mouth found her neck. Maya instantly leaned her body into his, placing her hand on his chest as she leaned her head to the side to provide him more access. Her eyes rolled into the back of her head as he worked at that familiar spot he knew so well in the crook of her neck and Maya gasped as she felt his fingers ghost beneath her breasts. 

 

The door pinged open a second later and Maya opened her eyes, clouded with lust. He didn’t meet her gaze before he pulled her along down the hall toward his room. He fished in his pocket for a half second before tapping the card against the reader and the soft beep was like music to Maya’s ears. 

 

The room within was dark and Maya followed closely behind Paul as he lightly gripped her hand now. The door clicked shut behind them and Maya’s heart raced. The soft intimacy of a darkened room was all at once overwhelming. Maya’s breath shuddered and the haze began to lift as she realized where she was. What she was about to do. Paul turned after a second as if steeling himself to stay in control. 

 

Maya’s pulse quickened as his gaze landed on her and she shifted in her heels. He took a solid step toward her and she fought back a tremble. His hands raised to rest on either side of her face and pressed his body softly against hers. Maya could feel his hardening excitement pressed against her stomach and she tried to quell the fluttering that responded in her belly. 

 

He leaned down gently and kissed her gently, once, before leaning back just far enough to make eye contact as he said, “The only thing I need is you.” 

 

Maya’s breath caught in her throat and in the next second, his mouth was on hers again, feverish and hurried, as his hands settled around the base of her throat and walked her back toward the bed. 

 

Paul’s hands slipped down again, working quickly to slip the straps off her shoulders and unhooking the magenta, boned, bodice from her body. He groaned as he pulled the top away to reveal her naked underneath and cupped the mounds of her breasts in his hands. 

 

A sharp gasp spilled from her mouth as he squeezed gently, moving his mouth down her neck, before kissing down her body and dropping to his knees. Maya rested her hands on top of his shoulders and looked down at him. He kissed between her breasts and unfastened her pants, pulling them down her hips and sighing in pure happiness. She couldn’t help but giggle softly as his kisses traced further down her stomach and he hooked his fingers beneath the flimsy white lace of her thong, before tugging them down her body. She stepped out and let him revel in her nakedness in the dark. 

 

Her breathing came fast and deep as the realization of being touched like this for the first time in a year dawned on her. He gripped her hip and grabbed underneath her left knee, placing it over his shoulder, exalting in the way she dripped for him. Steadying her between both his hands, Paul squeezed the soft curve of her hips before dipping down and licking one long strip along her seam. Maya threw her head back and let her jaw go slack as a moan burst forth from her throat. Paul groaned deeply as he descended upon her like a man starved, lapping at every inch between her thighs. Maya held on for dear life as she rocked her hips forward to meet his mouth and when he sucked her sensitive nub into his mouth, she held back a delighted scream. 

 

She was over the edge embarrassingly too soon, white pops of light bursting behind her closed eyes as she let herself go in a rush. Paul was eager to drink her down, dipping his tongue into her opening and feeling her pulse into his mouth. When her knees shook violently enough to lose her balance, Paul pushed gently against her hips and she fell back onto the bed with a soft thump. 

 

Maya focused on finding her breath again as she brought a hand up to her forehead. He’d made her come undone in mere minutes—and now she was terrified of how he’d make her feel once he got inside of her. Maya opened her eyes and leaned up slightly to watch as he slowly unbuttoned his shirt and shrugged it off onto the chair. Maya squirmed impatiently on the bed and bit her lip when he smirked at her, taking his time. 

 

She was fit to explode again and here he was, unbuckling his belt slowly, the soft clink of the metal sending shockwaves through every nerve ending in her body. When he finally shed his pants and briefs, Maya could finally see just how hard he was for her. Her mouth watered and acting on instinct, she lifted herself up onto her knees and shuffled across the bed. Reaching her hands out, she grabbed him by the hips and tugged him closer before dipping her head without hesitation and taking his tip into her mouth, spreading the warm bead of precum across her tongue before hollowing her cheeks and urging him further into her mouth. 

 

Paul let out a warning growl above her and placed his hand on the back of her head as he pushed his hips forward with controlled care, fucking into her mouth. Maya was lost in the sensations flooding her body, feeling him heavy and warm on her tongue, gliding past her lips as she tried to reach his base. There was no way she could manage all of him, but she tried, swallowing him down enough that his hand tightened into a fist in her hair and his moans blessed her ears with increased frequency. 

 

The warm, velvety taste of him thrummed a terrifyingly pleasant response in her brain, throwing her into a plane of neediness that had her legs shaking. She squeaked out a small moan around his cock and Paul’s eyes widened as if hearing the answer to a question he’d been asking all his life. 

 

Paul pulled Maya off of his cock in one swift movement and she gasped, looking up at him in heady confusion. He held her in place for just a moment, staring down at her in awe before leaning down, circling his hand around her waist and tugging her body across the bed quickly. 

 

Maya yelped in surprise as her head hit the pillow and the controlled weight of Paul sunk onto her and pressed against her form for a moment. His skin sliding across hers felt like reigniting a brand of belonging between them and Paul lowered his face to kiss her with a need she echoed, arching her body between them. 

 

Paul slid his thick thigh between her legs, urging her apart before sliding his hand down and letting his thumb tease her clit. Maya’s head flew back deeper into the pillow as she let out a whine and Paul took the opportunity to press soft bites and kisses to her neck. 

 

She was still a wanting, gushing mess for him and heat flamed into her face once more as she rolled her hips against his thumb, grinding down, desperate for more. 

 

“Paul!” she gasped as he touched just the right tempo against her, causing her to crest again. Paul groaned and bit down against her shoulder. Maya, in the waves of another orgasm, pressed against his shoulders, in an attempt to release the tension in her body that the heat of his body were exacerbating. With his other hand, Paul grabbed both of Maya’s wrists and slammed them down on the bed above her head as she keened and cried out again, her orgasm rinsing through her. 

 

Just as her release was washing through her, Paul lined himself up to her opening and pushed in swiftly. Her eyes shot wide in surprise and a visceral pulse rocketed through her body, ending in a scream of relief. 

 

Paul let out a feral groan that sent chills down Maya’s spine and she watched as his face melted into pure bliss as he slid to the hilt. The scream now spent, Maya’s mouth hung open as her breath came out in sharp bursts. Paul’s gaze finally lowered to meet hers and she felt every nerve ending buzz as he grinned that wolfish, possessive smile down at her. 

 

“You okay?” he whispered breathlessly. Maya felt a quick tear rush down into her hair as she nodded, her mouth still open in shock and relief. Paul stayed buried in her and looked down at the space between them where they connected, letting out another moan that set Maya on edge. She’d never been this wound up before, as if she’d snap and dissolve right into the mattress at any moment. 

 

Paul still gripped her wrists tightly above her head, keeping her place and Maya was thankful for the anchor. He used his other hand to grab her thigh and pull it up to wrap around his back. Then, with one last dark grin, Paul slid out to the tip and in one long languid stroke, he rushed back into her. Maya arched up in response as he dipped his head low to take her taut nipple into his mouth. 

 

Every place his mouth touched was like an explosion of firework-like sensation, burning through her and causing her to spiral. He began to pump into her at a quick pace, blinding her with pleasure and squeezing her hip, her ass, her breast. Maya couldn’t move from his ironclad grip if she tried, but it didn’t matter. Every one of her senses was lost in him. Each guttural groan, the slap of his hips against hers, the huff of hard breath across her face as he worked in her sent Maya higher and higher. 

 

And then, he shifted his angle, brushing against that spot within her that made her arch and whine with a sound she’d never heard come from her lips before. She clamped her lips shut around the sound of relief that erupted out of her throat as she felt her walls clamp down around him and try to pull him in deeper. 

 

“That’s my girl,” Paul moaned, his eyes glued to where they met, watching as he disappeared into her again and again. “Give me another, baby.” His voice was warm, but commanding. Maya felt another scream come clawing out of her throat as his mouth bit gently around her breasts and he hammered into that sweet, sensitive spot in her again and again. 

 

She’d die like this, happily. But it was almost too much, the pain of him stretching her open after a year apart without pause and the sweet coaxing of his hand, mouth, and hips pulling sounds and feelings that Maya didn’t think she was capable of. 

 

His hand slid underneath her waist and lifted her hips up as he sank deeper into her. His thrusts were controlled, precise, and Maya was simply a mess. She rolled her head from side to side, her cheeks bright and flush with warmth as she teetered. Her nipples were hard and sore from Paul’s mouth tugging and nibbling at them, and a thin sheen of sweat covered her whole body making it easier for him to slide her body against him any way he pleased. 

 

There was nothing Maya could do except take what he was giving her and give what she could back to him. She was babbling at this point: his name, curse words, promises, pleadings. All of it brought her crashing down again, her walls fluttering around him. He groaned in appreciation, kissing up her neck and across her face to her lips as she shuddered with release, her thighs a slick, sticky example of her uncontrollable lust for this man. 

 

Paul's thrusts began to falter in their control as he slammed into her faster, deeper, angling her for his needs. Neither of them were in control and it didn’t matter anymore. 

 

Maya’s hands had gone numb as he held her wrists tightly to the bed, but the tingling in her fingertips was nothing compared to the overwhelming drag of him sliding in and out of her at a brutal, finishing pace. 

 

He leaned his head up to look into her eyes, letting out another moan of pure exaltation as he said in a low voice: “You’re still on birth control, right?” The slapping sounds of his hips almost drowned out the question. 

 

Maya, lost in her glow, let out a soft laugh that made Paul grunt as she squeezed him. “Like you care,” she got out around a breath. Paul shook his head, letting a laugh roll from him now too as he looked between them again. 

 

“You’re right. I don’t,” he admitted casually, before wrenching Maya’s body up and spinning her around so she laid on her stomach. He let go of her wrists and Maya felt the soft rush of blood return to her hands. Instead he pulled her hips up and slid into her fast from behind without bothering to spread her. Maya let out a low moan into the pillow and felt his hand land firmly on her shoulder, holding her in place against the mattress. 

 

His thrusts found every soft, sensitive spot within her and the white lights that burst behind Maya’s eyes as her brain buzzed pleasantly, wiping all thoughts from her head except the feeling of him between her legs, was all that was keeping her present. His hips stuttered again, getting sloppier as he lost control and Maya reveled in the thought that it was her that caused him to lose it like this.

 

Another few hard pumps and he let out a loud moan, her name on the tail end of it, as he splashed inside of her. Maya screamed into the pillow as she felt him cum, her senses heightened by the shuddering tension wracking his body. 

 

His grunts became more deliberate as he continued to pump into her after he was spent, slowing down only after his body sank over the top of hers. 

 

“Fuck,” he breathed out as he pressed a line of kisses across her shoulder blades. Maya couldn’t open her eyes, exhaustion set deep within her, and the relief of her release pulling her under. She was circling the drain of her own contentment. Paul’s searing hot body sandwiched her gently into the mattress and nothing could have felt better in that moment. 

 

She felt him slowly slide off of her to the side as he pulled out. Immediate warmth pooled between her legs as his load spilled out of her. Maya didn’t care—she couldn’t move, her entire body humming with electricity as if a switch in her had been turned on again after being out for far too long. Paul gently caressed her naked back, leaning to kiss the bite marks against her shoulder and neck he had left in his need to reclaim her. He swept her hair off of her shoulder and massaged the back of her neck tenderly. 

 

It was all Maya remembered before she was pulled under into blissful darkness. 

 




Maya woke to sunlight filtering softly through the window. She blinked blearily, her brain not quite catching up with her body just yet as she tried to remember how it was she got home. If she was home, then last night must have been a tortuously delightful dream. Maya rubbed her eyes and leaned up onto her forearms, but a sharp pain pulsed through her, fading into a dull ache. Not a dream. 

 

A soft shuffling next to her alerted her to the fact that she wasn’t alone. Maya turned her head over on the pillow and found Paul, fully dressed with his oversized leather weekender bag on the bed by Maya’s feet. 

 

“Good morning,” he said softly, his low voice music to her ears. Maya hummed in acknowledgement as she took in her surroundings. She was still in his hotel room, and she was most definitely naked. Maya sat up no, wincing at the soreness in her lower body. She yawned and saw Paul chuckle. 

 

“Where are you going?” Maya finally managed, her voice hoarse. “Jesus,” she whispered, holding the soft white linen sheet against her breasts. Paul looked up at her as he packed his iPad and chargers into his bag. 

 

“I have to head back to La Push today,” he said it as if they did this song and dance all the time—as if she should know where he was headed. Maya blinked a few times, clearing the rest of the sleep from her brain. 

 

“O-oh,” she stuttered. 

 

“I arranged a late check out already, so feel free to hang out as long as you need,” he zipped up his bag and the sound of it seemed to ricochet loudly across the room. 

 

“Okay,” Maya tried to hide the disappointment in her voice. Paul slung his bag over his shoulder and leaned on the bed to kiss her softly. Maya tentatively placed her hand on his jaw, feeling the soft bristle of his beard against her fingertips. When he pulled away, Maya felt the imprint in her wilt with disappointment. 

 

“I’ll be back in the city in a few weeks,” he said softly, letting his eyes search hers for a moment. But Maya didn’t know what he was looking for in her. After another beat, he stood up abruptly and walked toward the door without another word. “Thanks again for coming with me last night,” he said mischievously as he turned around to look at her, “And for attending the event last night.” He winked at her before pulling open the door. 

 

Maya heard the soft click of the hotel door close as her mouth hung open in shock. 

 

“Bye?” she said aloud to no one. Maya placed a hand to her head to steady the dizzying effect of the emotional whiplash she just encountered. 

 

What the fuck was that? 

Chapter 53: Missed calls

Chapter Text

There’s always a crushing weight that settles around my shoulders when she looks at me like that. I never know what’s exactly going on in her head, what she’ll say next. And that’s what I’ve loved about her. She’s always kept me guessing, kept me paying attention and focused. It was one of the easiest ways I found to temper my anger when it flared up around anyone else. Even if she didn’t know it, she helped keep me on solid ground when I’d felt like I’d been adrift for so long. But now, I’d give anything to know what was going on in her head. She was furious with me about enrolling her in UW, I know, but I couldn’t risk losing her. It felt like there was danger all around us and the only way I felt like I could keep her safe was here with me. I knew she wouldn’t like it. I knew she would fight against it. But if I could just make her see that I wasn’t trying to ruin her life and that it was actually temporary, just until the danger died down, and she could go back to New York soon, she’d understand. But then she wasn’t there when I came back this time. And in the next second, I felt the earth fall out from under me. 

 


The soft click of the hotel door behind him was the only thing that reminded him his feet were on solid ground. Paul staggered down the hallway only a few steps before his mouth burst open taking gasping breaths. 

 

It felt as if someone was hollowing out the pit of his stomach with a jagged edged spoon, ripping and tearing at everything inside of him until he couldn’t breathe, couldn’t think. His hand shot out to grip the wall and keep from sinking to his knees. 

 

It’ll pass. It’ll pass. It’ll pass. He chanted to himself in his head. 

 

This undeniable pain of the imprint felt just as raw as it did when she first left him. She’d not broken the bond when she’d left, but still nearly cleaved it in two. The only thing holding the bond together was a dangerously thin connection that reacted like an exposed nerve whenever disturbed by simply the thought of her. Which for Paul, was all of the time. 

 

And right now, that nerve was being ground with sandpaper as he walked further away from the door. This earth shattering ache was something that always echoed within him, to the point where it had nearly driven him crazy back on the reservation. 

 

Maya had disappeared from his life that night and every day since. The imprint had been begging for him to get her back even if he knew what she needed—space and time away…from him. Paul tried to catch his breath, his hand coming to wind around his abdomen as he was reminded of the night she left him—the pain so acutely similar to that first night: 

 

A little over a year ago…

 

Paul’s feet pounded on the forest floor, his breath huffing from his mouth in great bursts. All he could hear replaying in his head on repeat was her refusal, pushing him away, and he couldn’t stand it anymore. Paul knew he should have stayed to talk it through, to reassure her that the plan he’d made for them would work if she’d just tried it, but deep down he knew it all felt wrong—making her stay, holding her to him like this. And so, when she refused, he let himself fall into the familiar rush of the phase. 

 

Soon enough, the weight of his mounting anger would be easily channeled into each  limb as he dashed through the dense forest. There would be nothing left to feel once he was there and when he came back, she’d be there to talk it through and they’d figure it out together. But right now, his mind was a mess and he couldn’t see anything past the resounding anger that swelled and grew and wanted to rip every part of him to shreds. 

 

Paul didn’t know how long he ran for, but the air grew cooler as he made his way further north, scaling mountains and focusing on anything but the anger pulsing in his chest. If he could just get some distance, it would subside. That’s how it always worked in the past. He remembered distinctly when he first phased and how that visceral anger he’d felt every day as a kid suddenly subsided as he would wind his way through the forest. He had finally found relief from the pain of that anger all these years. Through his mother’s absence, his father’s violence, and the falling away of every family he’d ever come to know before he was left all alone the one thing that remained was that anger. Like a companion, an old friend. But when the phase hit him, he realized there was something else for him to do. And Sam made sure that he made use of that anger, channeled it in a way that could help the pack rather than hurt them. He’d still slip up sometimes though, barking commands at his brothers, taking one too many risks when they were hunting down bloodsuckers. But it didn’t matter. Paul was all at once freed from himself when he phased and he truly had nothing to lose. 

 

He went through a similar period as Jacob and Leah where he simply didn’t phase back for awhile. The relief from the anger was just too much and so he had leaned into it. But when you phase for too long, the world starts to get wobbly. You lose touch with your human senses and the wild can pull you under faster than you realize. When Sam had to pull him out after a Quil phased, he felt more feral and angry as ever when he was human. But he worked through it. Made a name for himself, put more energy into his work and his pack. And that anger stabilized. 

 

But then came Maya. His Maya. The world stopped, no ground to a startling halt when he saw her and that anger took a new shape, seemingly it evaporated. But something happened as they grew closer. That anger swelled into jealousy, possessiveness, and the imprint took hold of a brand new side of him. One he didn’t quite feel in control of. 

 

As he wound his way through the forest, crossing the border into Canada and sliding to a halt as he overlooked a stark cliff off of Britannia Beach, he felt lost. For the first time since Maya, he felt well and truly lost within himself. Paul stayed that way, gazing out over the cliffside into the dark swirling ocean below, waiting for some clarity, some reprieve from that mutated anger, but none came. He just felt exhausted. Night turned into day as he ran and now it had descended again. He watched the moon grow and change across the sky. 

 

When the sun rose over the horizon, Paul felt stiff from his lack of movement. He hadn’t even laid down to rest, just let himself stare endlessly trying to find out where that anger ended and where he began again. A soft crunch behind him set him on high alert though and he growled and bared his teeth before whipping around. 

 

He was faced with a towering russet brown alpha—Jacob. Paul slowly relaxed and waited for Jacob to say something, but it felt like he was trying to assess the situation. Figure out what part of Paul he was dealing with. But he was lost to himself, so he had no idea what Jacob would find. 

 

I know what you’re going through. Jacob’s voice buzzed through Paul’s brain. He never minded his brothers communicating with him this way. Their overlapping voices made him feel much less alone in those early days. Still, the voice in Paul’s head growled in response. Jacob sighed and took a moment before carrying on. Paul tried to gather what the images flickering through Jacob’s head meant, but it was all moving too quickly it blurred and he couldn’t make anything out clearly. There’s never going to be a good time to let go, he continued. You’ll never want to truly let go. But this is how you lose her, Paul. 

 

Paul felt his chest rumble with pain. But there were no words that came to mind. Just Maya’s face, broken and crying as he told her again and again that she couldn’t leave. Not like this. 

 

She’s gone. Jacob said suddenly in response to that image. That got Paul’s attention. He whipped around to face Jacob, a sudden feral rage coursing through him. Uncontrolled, as usual. She went back to New York. With protection. You will not interfere with that. The last sentence was an order, an alpha command. And a carefully phrased one at that. 

 

Jacob knew he was unable to order any of his brothers to stay away from their imprints. It was the one thing his commands couldn’t touch. But this was different. 

 

Interfere? Paul seethed, his teeth bared, shoulders squared and his feet spread wide as if he was about to lunge. Jacob bared his teeth in response and mirrored Paul’s stance. 

 

That’s right. You’re not in control right now and that puts your imprint at risk. This is for your own good and for her safety. Jacob continued firmly. 

 

Her safety? Paul felt his entire body tremble with rage. He felt like he was going to explode out of his skin any moment, his fur rippled in waves down his back. If she’s not safe with me, then who is she safe with? 

 

An image flashed in Jacob’s mind, just briefly, but Paul caught it. Golden eyes, blonde hair, and the tall stocky build of the blood sucker he knew all too well after a close call so many years ago. This was too much though. 

 

Paul snapped, lunging for his alpha in one quick moment, his jaws clamping around Jacob’s throat as they tumbled backwards into the forest, crashing through trees and undergrowth. Jacob responded in kind, and quickly twisted away from his grip before pinning him between two broad paws. Paul writhed and snapped at Jacob, but he held fast, the blood from his gushing wound closing quickly. 

 

TRAITOR! Paul bellowed at him. But Jacob held strong, holding his writhing form beneath him. 

 

Listen to me!  Jacob begged. It wasn’t an order, but a plea. But Paul was too far gone to hear much beyond the rushing rage blocking out all sound. She will be safe. You need to figure this out. Whatever this is Paul, it won’t work. You can’t keep her like this. It’s not fair to her or you. If you have any hope of her staying with you, you need to change whatever this is. This fucking monster inside of you. Get a fucking grip! 

 

Paul snarled, snapped his jaws and found an opening. Jacob slipped and Paul righted himself quickly before bashing headfirst into Jacob’s chest. Jacob howled, thrown back by the sheer force of it and crashed a hundred feet away into a tree. Paul steadied himself, the blood pumping in his ears. He had to get back to Maya. Had to get to her, make her stay, keep her safe. 

 

She’s gone!  Jacob responded again to the flurry of thoughts rushing through Paul. He whipped his head back and howled in agony as a fresh pain ripped through him. He could feel it now, that absence, her absence, growing and pulling him apart from the inside. And so he did the only thing he thought he could do. He charged toward Jacob in the forest, blind with fury, thirsty for revenge, for blood, for sending her off with those fucking bloodsuckers. 

 

Jacob was ready for him though and when Paul crashed into him a second time, he remained like a stone wall. Paul rammed against his frame again and again and again, feeling the bones breaking in his body. But with each slam against Jacob, he was losing ground. Jacob edged him closer to the cliffside. He wouldn’t win, but it didn’t matter. There was nothing left for him. 

 

Go see the elders. Jacob said calmly. And with that, Jacob rammed at him, making him topple over the cliff and hurdle into the crashing water below, limp and broken. 



Paul tried to catch his breath now outside of the hotel room door. He could do this. He could walk away and let her come to him. He’d practiced this for he didn’t know how long at this point, but it always seemed to get harder leaving and now that they had come back to together, the ache of the imprint seared through every part of his brain. 

 

He turned toward the door, his hand hovering over the knob as he reached for the key card. Maybe he could just go back inside and explain everything and she would understand. 

 

But he knew he couldn’t do that. It’s not what the elders had advised. And they had gotten him this far. When he heard Maya talking on the other side of the door into her phone, it solidified his resolve to leave, however agonizing it felt, and he walked off down the hallway toward the elevator. 




The soft buzz of Maya’s phone rumbled beneath her. It must be Rose, or Emmett, trying to find out where she was. She hadn’t exactly planned on not coming home last night. 

 

Without looking at her phone, Maya answered.

 

“Hello?” Her voice was low from her general disorientation and the best sleep she’d had in a year. 

 

“Well, well, well, look who decided to come crawling back into my DMs,” the voice on the other line drawled conspiratorially. 

 

“Keye?!” Maya let out a huff of surprised breath and tears immediately pricked the back of her eyes. 

 

“Now, I thought that when we all watched Gone Girl that one time , we decided that if we ever had to fake our own disappearance, we would at least send a signal of some kind to one of the group. You know, to remind them that ‘hey! I’m not actually dead, just disappearing for a while’ kind of thing,” Keye continued rambling sarcastically. A sob broke through Maya’s throat and she put a hand over her eyes at hearing her best friend’s voice for the first time in a year. “Or, did you forget the moral of that story?” 

 

“Keye,” was all Maya could get out as the tears fell in earnest. But Keye wasn’t even listening as she carried on, making Maya start to giggle. 

 

“You know I can keep a secret. I never told anyone about that time Ashley Halliweth took me and the two Lake brothers to skinny dip at the rec center and Ashley gave Joey Lake a blowjob on top of the noodles that the elders use to do their swim aerobics.” Keye was talking a mile a minute and all Maya could think about was how good it felt to hear her voice. 

 

“Keye, you literally told half our spanish class in ninth grade and Mrs. Gostavos,” Maya scoffed, still shaking with comforting laughter. 

 

“No! She wasn’t there, I’m pretty sure,” Keye deflected and carried on rambling. Maya settled into the warmth of relief she felt at just hearing Keye’s voice and wondered if she had made a mistake cutting everyone out for so long. Especially Keye and Becks. 

 

She glanced toward the closed door of the room and felt a pit drop in the center of her stomach. Had she made a mistake there too? He really just fucking left? The voice inside her head spat. Maya tried to drop back in and focused on Keye’s rambling before she took a huge breath and said, 

 

“Anyway, what’s up with you?” 

 

Maya burst into laughter and stared up at the ceiling. 

 

“Honestly, babe. Nothing,” she replied nonchalantly. That made Keye erupt with laughter and for a few minutes, they just devolved into complete happiness, easy in their comfort with one another. Once they finally settled, a comfortable silence fell between them. 

 

“Paul’s an idiot,” Keye said sighed. Maya nodded even though Keye couldn’t see her.  

 

“I’ll say. He just one-night-stand-ghosted me,” Maya admitted, petting her own hair back against the pillow. 

 

“What?!” Keye shouted. Maya shifted the phone away from her ear from the screech and then hummed in affirmation.

 

“I’m currently butt ass naked in a hotel bed. He just left after thanking me for the lovely evening,” Maya groaned, “I’m such an idiot. I folded like a road map.” 

 

“No, you didn’t,” Keye interjected with a tone of annoyance.

 

“Yes, I did, ugh, I just fucking slept with him because I couldn’t help it and now he probably thinks—”

 

“No, My, you fucking didn’t. He’s being an asshole and you reacting to the imprint is not you being an idiot. You didn’t fold or fall for anything. Honestly, babe, it’s a little manipulative what he’s doing to you,” Keye said harshly. Maya stared at the ceiling in confusion. 

 

“Wait, what do you mean?” How was Paul manipulating her? They were coming back together and he was…what was he doing? All of it made Maya’s head spin—the imprint, Paul, all of it. 

 

“He’s blaming you for a decision he forced you to make!” Keye nearly screeched. Maya scrunched her forehead in confusion. 

 

“Keye he…” Maya paused and really thought about it for a moment. She could feel Keye nearly boiling across the line as she thought through her last few interactions with Paul. 

 

The chance encounter at the art museum, the meeting at the club, the lunch, and now her pseudo one-night-stand. He was mad sure, but manipulative? Maya couldn’t quite piece it together. 

 

“Keye, he’s just mad and reacting to the imprint. It’s fucking driving me crazy too,” Maya defended. Why was she defending him again? As the words came out of her mouth, they even tasted wrong. 

 

“Jesus…christ, Maya. I thought you were the smart one in our group. Listen, he literally forced you to run from your home because he was going to keep you here under some insane idea that he was protecting you. Then, he shows up in New York to ‘work’ and now he’s making you feel like a one-night stand?” Keye exclaimed. “Tell me how that’s not manipulative.” 

 

“I—,” Maya paused again, trying again to piece it together, Maya really sat and thought for a moment. Paul loved her—she knew that as much as she knew how to breathe air. But sometimes, the things he said and did didn’t feel like love at all. 

 

She hadn’t liked how the last year had gone between them. And when she really thought about it, while being around him these last few times had been like a welcomed salve to the raw emotions from the imprint, after she had just felt…empty. And confused. Most of her relationship had felt like a tug of war with him and her mind flashed back to when Paul had admitted that things were not this difficult between his brothers and the other imprints. That proclamation had always worried Maya and now it hit her full force in the chest. 

 

Maya scrunched up her face in irritation and let out a huff of breath. She knew what she wanted with Paul, but this hadn’t been it. And now she wasn’t entirely sure how to fix it. 

 

But she was determined to fix it. Whatever it took. 

 

“Fuck,” she let out with an exasperated sigh. “I know. I know, Keye. Fuck. I just get so wrapped up in this shit and I can’t think straight when he’s around, sometimes. I thought the space would help, I really did.” 

 

“It’s okay,” Keye said softly, “But babe, this can’t be your life. Running from home whenever Paul does something stupid. Break him so he doesn’t break you,” she said fiercely. Maya laughed at that. She didn’t think it would take that, not to mention, she didn’t want or even mean to break Paul. She just wanted to find the rhythm again. A rhythm with boundaries that they had never quite managed before. 

 

“Okay, okay, I hear you. I’ll work on it,” she breathed out and then said swiftly, “What’s been going on with you?” Maya asked. Keye clammed up suddenly, and was completely silent to the point where Maya thought the line had gone dead, “Keye?” she said, pulling her phone back from her face to check and make sure the call hadn’t dropped. 

 

Keye cleared her throat and then said in a rushed voice, “ Everything's good on my end. You know me.” Her voice sounded strained.

 

“You okay?” Maya asked slowly, “Is someone there with you?” Maya sat up in bed suddenly worrying about what Keye may have gotten herself into. 

 

“No, no of course not. I’m at my apartment and I just—,” she cut herself off. Maya listened intently and thought she heard sniffling on the other end. But before she could point it out, Keye piped up, “I need to get some stuff done for this stupid class. And I just miss you. Any chance you’ll be coming this way soon?” A hopeful lilt in her voice put pressure on Maya’s heart. 

 

“I—,” Maya choked. She always choked. Shutting her eyes tight with a hand to her head she took a deep breath. 

 

“You can’t stay away forever, you know,” Keye laughed a little, but it sounded hollow. Maya’s suspicion piqued again. 

 

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Keye was always so straight with her, but now, it felt like the distance between them was hiding something else. 

 

“Yes, My. Just think about coming home. Not a trap. You can even come stay with me in Seattle if you want,” Keye’s voice was clipped, but wrought with so much emotion that Maya thought she could hear the strain in the back of Keye’s throat trying to hold back a sob. 

 

“Okay, yeah. I’ll think about it,” Maya said with a soft smile in her voice. 

 

“Good. Good,” Keye said, her voice thick with spit. 




Two months later…

 

Maya watched the rain come down from her spot in Arden’s office. She was perched on the couch with a stack of papers to grade. Arden sat dutifully at his desk, answering emails and outlining his next lecture that Maya had already sent him her thoughts on for updating. 

 

A soft fog rolled over campus, uncommon in the heated heart of the city. It made Maya ache for home more than ever. As much as she wanted to, she couldn’t drag her eyes away from the window as she let herself get lost in the feeling of being home. 

 

She and Keye had talked a bit more after that initial conversation and Maya knew now more than ever what she needed to do. Ever since she had made her decision though, she had begun craving her home, the beach, her family in La Push with new fervor. And this weather really didn’t help. 

 

Maya blew out a soft breath and hadn’t realized she had been absently tapping the uncapped tip of her red pen on an unsuspecting student’s paper until her had nearly covered the cover page in marks. 

 

“Everything okay?” Arden’s voice, usually so calm and soothing, jolted Maya from her reverie, causing her to jump and papers to slide from her lap onto the floor. 

 

“Oh!” she exclaimed. Arden kneeled down in front of her to gather the papers, setting them neatly back on her lap and resting his warm palm on her denim clad thigh. Maya sucked in a sharp breath as she watched the look in his eyes change from concern to something darker. “Sorry, I…I was lost in thought,” Maya explained, shifting her legs and moving them under her body so that Arden was forced to drop his hand. 

 

Arden stayed kneeled in front of her, not letting her out of it that easy. “You sure you’re okay?” 

 

Maya gave him a small smile and nodded after a beat before patting her hand on the papers. “Just trying to get everything squared away before fall break. Plus, I have that interview coming up. I don’t know, it might just be getting to me,” she was trying to come across as reassuring, but Arden’s gaze tugged at something deeper she wasn’t willing to admit. 

 

He hummed in acknowledgement, his eyes dropping to her mouth for a moment as if considering the last time they were this close on this couch in his office before rising back to his feet. “Well, be sure to get those graded before the week ends. I’ve got another batch of quizzes to give you once you’re finished and I don’t want it cutting into your coursework too much.” His tone was kind, if not a bit firm. Maya nodded and made a show of getting back to work. 

 

But after a few minutes, once Arden had settled back at his desk, Maya’s gaze lifted to the shadowy gloom outside as she dipped back into her thoughts of home, her friends, her family, and most of all…of Paul. 

 





“MY!” a sharp knock sounded on her bedroom door. Maya snapped her attention to the door and away from the long floor to ceiling windows that were streaked with rain in the warm lamp glow of the street below. 

 

“Yeah?!” Maya called out just as Rosalie entered her room, eyes glued to her phone. 

 

“Emmett was going to swing by that Thai place that you liked to check in on Bastion, do you want anything?” she glanced up quickly at Maya before letting her eyes fall to the massive fan of papers across her bed. “Still grading? Do you want my help?” 

 

“Ah, no I think I can handle it. Thanks though, I’m just having a hard time focusing with the rain and all,” Maya explained, not quite sounding like herself even to her own ears. 

 

“Okay,” Rosalie replied with a hint of skepticism. “So, Thai?” 

 

“Yes! B4, spicy noodles, extra sauce please,” Maya stated matter of factly before looking diligently back at the papers on her bed. Rosalie shot off a text to Emmett and quietly exited her room, closing the door behind her. Letting out a deep sigh, she glanced at her phone, the screen inactive on her bed. 

 

It had been a month and a half since she’d heard from Paul. And the text exchange that she had attempted made her feel…unsatisfied. She had written:

 

Hey. 

To which he nonchalantly responded:

 

Hi. Everything okay?

 

Everything’s fine. 

 

Maya hadn’t known what to say. Why had she texted him again? It was late and she had been sinking into herself, lost in that feeling he had left in her that night after the Met. And suddenly, she was in bed, texting him.  She watched as the typing bubbles appeared and disappeared on Paul’s end a couple of times before a text finally popped up that read: 

 

What can I do for you, baby? 

 

Maya bit her lip as an aching need pulsed between her thighs. She couldn’t let him get to her like that with just a simple, seemingly benign text and promised herself that she’d have to work on that. So, she promptly turned off the screen on her phone and tried to sleep. 

 

A few weeks later, Maya was in her room grading papers, a glass of wine in her hand, and clad in just her Columbia t-shirt and some black panties. 

 

The unanswered text from Paul laid open on her phone, and Maya bit her lip. She had been contemplating texting him back but had no idea what to say. What did she need? For him to talk to her? For him to lure her back to the reservation? No. 

 

But she did miss him. And that ache had steadily grown with every silent second he let tick by. She was used to Paul being ever present, almost overwhelming so, and this past year was a testament to how much he had let her be. Maybe he was finally getting it. 

 

Or maybe it was a trick. The thought had crossed her mind a few times. That maybe he was doing this all as some elaborate way to get her to come back. But she couldn’t see the end of the game. If things were just as they would be before, she knew she’d leave again. She’d done it before. 

 

But this somehow felt different. So, maybe it was different. 

 

Maya grabbed her phone after downing her wine and setting the empty glass on her nightstand. She stared at the text: What can I do for you baby? 

 

The longer she stared at it, reread it, heard it in his voice, warm and deep, the more that thrumming, tingling sensation welled up in her chest. She wanted him to feel that unsatisfying end as much as she felt it now from those seven little words on the screen. 

 

Maya leaned back on the bed, tapping open the camera and twisted her body so that her ass jutted out and her waist twisted. She thumbed at her jutted bottom lip and quickly snapped the picture, sending it before she even had a second to reconsider. 

 

And then she waited. Five. Ten. Fifteen minutes. He hadn’t even opened the text. Maybe he was on patrol. Maya’s eyes flitted to the clock on her nightstand but it felt too early for rounds even with the time difference. When the realization set in of what she just did—basically an open invitation to come and get her—Maya quickly hit unsend on the text. 

 

He hadn’t seen it. She was sure of that. But still, she turned off her phone to avoid any further temptation and swallowed hard as the feeling of rejection swirled loosely in her stomach. 

 





“I think I want to go home for fall break,” Maya said without any pretense, “To visit.” She rushed to clarify. 

 

Emmett looked at her with a teasing smile and glanced nearly imperceptibly at Rosalie. 

 

“Are you sure?” Rose asked gently, setting down her book. 

 

Maya took a deep breath, still clutching her phone in her hand, “Yes,” she said firmly and nodded. “I want to visit my parents and…I’m going to have to go home eventually. Why not break the ice now?” Maya prompted. Rose watched her skeptically as Emmett began to shake with silent laughter. 

 

Maya’s gaze fell to him and her eyes narrowed into a glare. Doesn’t mention Keye and what she suspects might be wrong. 

 

“What?!” she finally prompted. 

 

“Are you sure this isn’t a dick visit?” he joked. Maya let out a groan and Rosalie shot Emmett a glare. 

 

“Emmett,” she whined in annoyance. 

 

“What?!” Emmett feigned innocence. “All of the sudden she wants to go home on a whim? We know you and Paul had a little rendezvous after the Met thing, don’t lie,” that sly teasing grin fell across his face. 

 

“That’s not it, it’s something else,” Rosalie said with a knowing, pointed look, “What’s going on Maya?” 

 

Maya sighs and shakes her head, “Nothing that you two should be worried about. I’m mostly going on a hunch, but if I need a way out to get back here, will you help me again?” 

 

“I don’t think it will come to that. Paul could have easily taken you back during any of the times that you’ve spent with him recently. Plus, Alice hasn’t mentioned the Volturri coming to visit in months, I think we’re in the clear in terms of danger for now,” Emmett said. 

 

“Are you sure this is a good idea…for you?” Rosalie said gently. Maya pondered that for a moment, clutching her phone tightly. 

 

“It’s important for me to see my family. And I’ve stayed away long enough,” Maya paused and let out a soft breath. Rosalie smiled gently and gave Maya’s arm a reassuring squeeze. She could feel the ice cold of her elegant fingers through her thick wool sweater. After a beat, Maya said softly, “I’ll be careful.” 

 

To which Rosalie nodded and glanced at Emmett who had his arms crossed, leaning against the kitchen island. 

 

“Then, we’re in,” Emmett confirmed. Maya sighed in relief and smiled. 

 

She was finally going home. Maya could already feel a small part inside of her sag with relief. However, another larger part cinched anxiously around her heart. Home.

 





Maya crossed her legs as she waited at the gate for her plane to start boarding. She had decided to forgo the private jet route that Rosalie insisted on to stay a few extra days and wrap up some last minute grading and planning projects with Arden. 

 

Fall break felt different this year—gloomier somehow. Her cohort was in a tizzy regarding a new vetting process for landing internships affiliated with the university. Students had brought up the potential for favoritism to play a role, which had led to increased requests for office hours. Arden had been swamped with student meetings to reassure them that that wasn’t the case, but still, the last month had been stressful. 

 

The need for additional meetings also meant that Maya had spent much less time alone in Arden’s office and more time at the library or at Noah’s. It had kind of been a relief if she was being honest with herself. Arden was picking up on Maya’s shifting mood as she got closer to heading home for the first time in over a year. Unfortunately for Maya, she couldn’t say she particularly enjoyed Arden’s increased perceptiveness. 

 

She was nervous, sure, but mostly, she was just…excited. For what, she wasn’t sure. Because if there was one thing she knew it was that she was returning to the same, old complicated situation, if not worse. At least before she had people on her side. Now? She wasn’t sure considering she had iced everyone out for over a year. 

Still, Arden’s attention to her had grown more invested and more affectionate. Before, it probably wouldn’t have even fazed her, but now, with the promise of her home on the horizon, she was feeling boxed in. How ironic, she thought to herself. 

 

The intercom buzzed with a soft announcement and Maya lifted her head to listen carefully before her eyes settled back to the screen on her phone. The last text from Arden received just moments ago had shifted in tone rather quickly and Maya was still mulling over exactly how to tackle it:

 

Arden: Are you sure you can’t stay over fall break? There’s so much to get done before finals.

 

And then..

 

Arden: Plus, I miss seeing you in my office. 

 

Maya bit her lower lip and turned off her phone before gathering her things hurriedly and walking toward the gate. She’d have to deal with that later. Right now, her biggest focus was getting to Keye and then getting home. 

 

With a heavy sigh, Maya boarded the plane and said under her breath: “Here goes nothing.” 

 




SeaTac airport was a well loved airport for Maya. She wove confidently through the throngs of tourists looking around confused about where to head as she made her way to the arrivals pick up area. She knew who she was looking for. 

 

Maya let out a loud breath when she exited the airport, breathing in the briney, cool Seattle air. Nothing quite smelled like home like La Push but this would do for now. She let her eyes coast along the line of cars waiting to pick up their passengers. And no sooner had she reached in her bag for her phone did she hear a familiar squeal. 

 

Keye hurtled toward her at a break neck speed, her face cheery and bright, her hair tied off in two braids down over her shoulder. She leapt at Maya when she was close enough and Maya caught her, the tears already coming. 

 

“OH!” Keye screamed as she hugged Maya tightly. “You’re here! You’re real! You did it!” When Keye finally pulled back to look at her, Maya was sure she looked a mess with her puffy eyes and tears streaming down her cheeks. Keye was crying too and as she cupped her cheeks and smiled, she said in that bright, way of hers: “Welcome home, Maya.” 

 

This wracked Maya with renewed sobs and Keye let out a wet laugh as she reach on Maya’s shoulder for her backpack. 

 

“Come on, we’re holding up traffic.” Maya nodded and gripped tightly to Keye’s hand as she wove through crowds toward the light blue Subaru parked a little ways down. The trunk popped open and Maya heard a reassuring, warm voice coming from the driverside. 

 

“Everything okay?” the strange, soft voice asked. 

 

Maya wiped her eyes quickly. Keye hadn’t told her she’d bring someone else to come and get her and she was mortified at the thought of embarrassing Keye in front of one of her roommates. 

 

“She’s fine. Just a little homecoming breakdown, you know how it is,” Keye quipped. Maya laughed and raised her eyes to the owner of the voice who had now come around the Subaru to help put Maya’s bags in the trunk. 

 

“Sorry I—,” Maya said before swallowing, “It’s been awhile since I’ve been home.” 

 

“It’s okay, I get it,” the woman looked familiar and her mere presence felt a little more like home to her. 

 

“I’m sorry, who are—” Maya began slowly. 

 

“Oh god, sorry!” Keye cried, “I forgot! Maya, this is Leah. Leah Clearwater.” 

 

Maya’s eyes went wide as the name registered in her foggy, tired brain. Leah Clearwater? As in Seth Clearwater’s older estranged sister? As in the one pack mate who had left and not returned? 

 

“Leah?” Maya said incredulously. 

 

“The one and only,” Leah said almost begrudgingly. 

 

“My girlfriend,” Keye said proudly. Maya nearly fell over. 

 

“Oh!” she gasped as she looked from Keye to Leah and back again. Leah rolled her eyes as she slammed the trunk of the hatchback shut. 

 

“Come on. Seems like we have a bit of explaining to do,” Leah said as she climbed into the car, the ghost of a smile on her face. 

 

Maya remained frozen on the pavement for a second before looking hard at Keye. 

 

“Is she?” Maya couldn’t bring herself to say it, but Keye’s face said it all. 

 

Imprint.