Actions

Work Header

This is Why We (Can't) Love You

Summary:

Ichigo woke up exactly when the moment she looked at the city billboard, the road was empty, the sky turns to dusk. That Chaldea misguided poster is no more, just a blank piece of paper plastered on the board.

She took the paper off as she walks toward her home, folding the paper into an airplane. The plane was released, flew onto the horizon, shifts into a purple butterfly, and turned into dust. Such is the fate of a forgotten timeline.

Notes:

Oh boy, here we go...

Chapter 1: End The Game (+)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo remembered coming home after the Grand Order. Avoiding her father's daily attempt to make her into a punching bag had never been so easy; the fist, the leg, the body... She can read his moves as if it were a textbook. The next day at the breakfast table, her father looked at her like she some kind of a freak, his eyes assessing her, making sure that the girl in front of him was really his eldest daughter. She wondered if that had something to do with her dream the previous night; her dream only showed a rock being split in half by nothing. Thankfully, her sisters were quite a Saint for not commenting anything weird about her.

She paid no mind to him and decided to go out to explore her hometown, Karakura City, with a new view of someone who had been through numerous catastrophes. Peace. There was only peace in this city. People went on their way to do their daily lives without concern of being killed by ravaging monsters, children can be children as they frolic in a sandbox, and summer break had never been so plain. 

 

Since she never applied for that Chaldea intern job that was posted at the city hall, she might just as well spend the whole summer doing nothing. Time was really a fickle thing. The ever became never. Her blood was never drawn to test the Master's aptitude, she was never jettisoned to Antarctica, and Chaldea never existed, not anymore.

The Holy Grail War in Fuyuki never happened. Solomon was never summoned. Da Vinci was never summoned. Mash was never created and thus Galahad was never summoned. The Crypters never died and were revived.

Ichigo was way too far from any people to be able to witness her frustration by destroying someone's old car that was never driven and throwing it into the sea.

She came home again and found out she could not control her strength as she broke her supposed favorite mug (she does not remember that she ever had a favorite mug), broke the chopstick she used to eat, and almost broke the dining table if she did not just scurry away to her room, eating her food by hand. It took a whole night for her to be able to control her power input. Fuck sleeping during that particular day.

The result of her training is still there which is one of the evidence that the Grand Order ever happened. Aside from that, there is the photo album that Da Vinci made, putting the photos that Georgios had taken, and some of her weapon designs written down; the book was able to exist as a form of thank you from Gaia and Alaya. 

 

Then High School happened and everybody looked at her as some kind of freak. Again. She knew she was not supposed to know about High School's materials already but when the chemistry teacher wrote down a basic formula and asked her to use it to solve a problem on a board; she solved it and elevated it to the formula of how to create a bomb. She knew how to do it because Paracelsus or Tesla could not shut up and kept inviting her to blow up the lab.

Literature was a cheat as she already knew the context of the reading materials because she read those books for dinner at the writers's Servant lair- office. History was a walk in the park because she was surrounded by the history itself. Biology reminded her of lying dead bodies with their entrails out. Math is math, she can get through algebra just fine, just kidding as she cannot stop counting the input-output of a phenomenon.

She does not know why she chose French as an elective when she already knew how to speak French. She rather pick Arabic but Karakura High School does not have Arabic as an elective.

Home economics was like a second break time for her.

One day, she was offered to join an English literature competition and she agreed just so she could relieve the old dream of being wanted to go to Great Britain. She won first place. Easily. Rising up at the podium to receive the prize and instead of wanting her old friends and family to be proud of her, she wanted to know if the Servants were looking at her in that moment. She felt a bit like a villain at that moment, for forgetting her friends and family.

 

Ichigo realized she never chronologically counted her time in Chaldea. The alarm clock was just a tool to signal that she had to start her daily activities. Whenever she woke up, she had to ask someone for the time or the day; whether it was the staff or the Servants since after a while, the calendar became useless too, especially when you roam into the sea of Imaginary Number Space. She forgot her age at some point but she grew up, from a teenager to an adult. Dealing with the Singularities was a bit clearer, then lost track at the Lostbelt.

Da Vinci said that she was in her twenties. Ichigo thought that was not a huge matter in a larger context. 

 

"It felt like yesterday..."

 

More like a month ago actually...

 

She thinks the most important is right now is that she is back to being a local nuisance by kicking delinquents again. What a mess she created as she contemplated her life, resting her foot on top of the maybe de-facto leader of a skateboard gang.

Same old drill, same old life.

"Does no one ever teach you guys to have some respect for the dead? Apologize to the spirit or your ancestor shall curse you for being stupid!"

They scream away. Good grief. Sometimes she wonders if she is being too harsh to the locals. It was a simple mistake after all. They are skateboarding around and then knock over some mourning flowers. It is not that it was a big deal. Is she mad because she was the one who provided the damn flowers? Maybe she is turning into those old folks who shout at youngsters for their youthful insolence.

She can imagine that. Get off my lawn, youngsters. She should get a walking stick to complete the look.

"I'll bring some fresh bouquet tomorrow; how do you feel about marigold?" Ichigo said to a transparent figure of a young girl, bleeding on one side of her head; smiling brightly at her, unbefitting of her deceased status. 

The flowers in the glass bottle she used as a vase are starting to wither. No surprise, the stem has gotten rotten.

"Any flower is wonderful, thank you, Big Sis!" 

The one thing that is still the same after Chaldea is the very first ability that she always had; seeing Ghost. She never quite resented the ability but she is definitely at the level where it is simply a part of her life.

"See ya, kid. Take care of yourself."

Dork. Why bother telling ghosts to take care of themselves? They are dead.

They should not be bound by the living anymore.

 


They shouldn't be. They really shouldn't be. 

But Goddamn aren't they stubborn when they insist to be part of the living still


 

Ichigo looked up to the sky. Resigned when the night sky was the one that greeted her when she finally got home.

 

Home? It hasn't been home for the last ******* years--

 

She shakes her head from the nasty thoughts.

 

Ichigo waited exactly ten seconds before opening the front door of the Kurosaki household, while unconsciously scratching the back of her right hand, the one where it used to have a Command Seal. Inwardly counts to three as she twists the doorknob, opens it ajar, and sidesteps away at the same time; letting pass a flying figure that is her father, Isshin Kurosaki. Exclaimed about her daughter being late or whatever. The man never changed the exclamation, that is why it gets boring. 

Ishin crashes onto the asphalt.

Ichigo steps into the house, "I'm home, sorry I'm late."

She washed her hands and joined her younger sisters for dinner. This was her usual daily life that she practiced again; dodging her father's stupid antics, bonding with her sisters as they watched TV while eating, and being a daughter in general. She used to be a bit temperamental, arguing with her father every time she got home because of the man's meaningless bravado for situational awareness, not wanting to waste energy on such a thing, she opted to be more patient. But damn the man for he tests her.

Ichigo chewed her food periodically while staring at the middle distance, also known as nowhere in particular. Yuzu's cooking has always been good. It threw her back at that time when she ate the spaghetti that Gordolf cooked after a whole day of fighting only to throw it up when her sense of taste got overloaded. He was disappointed of course and Ichigo felt guilty as he made an exquisite-looking but bland food as an exchange. 

She swore to herself that she would not be a picky eater, solidifying the promise even more when Chaldea got bombed, only to be betrayed by her gastric problem.

"Nee-chan, you're alright? You'll choke from eating too fast," Karin successfully cuts her older sister’s inner musing.

"I'm fine, there's a lot of stuff going on at school, I've been very hungry," Ichigo lied.

It was not school, it was her psychological stress. Besides, compared to the impromptu lectures from the Heroic Spirits, the normal school was just a playground. Geez, when she said she wanted to learn, they took it way too literally. They made her into someone with numerous diplomas without earning the diploma itself. 

"Ichigo that's very rude! Dinner should be eaten and finished together!" Isshin boomed out of nowhere.

She did not even question when her father got inside the house since she did not hear the front door opening.

"Well, did you eat dinner yet, Dad?" She got up and collected her dishes. Suddenly she felt very tired. 

"Uh, no."

"Then I'm not the one who's not eating dinner together. Good night everyone."

She faintly smiles at her sisters as she walks up the stairs to her bedroom. Barely hears Yuzu scolding their father for 'allegedly' making her elder sister upset.

 

Lying on her bed she took out a big book from her drawer. Every night she skimmed over a group photo of her with Mash, Dr. Roman, and Da Vinci. The first two though, she wondered if they were reborn somewhere already. Will their name still be Mash and Romani (In his case, maybe Solomon or Jedidiah), or have they got new names? 

Without Chaldea, the Crypters never became Team A. How are they doing, honestly? Are they continuing their life at the Clock Towers or maybe seeking another path?

In no time, Ichigo felt her eyes getting heavier. How nice to fall into a deep sleep so fast...

 


 

Hmm, did someone spray perfumes?

 

"Hey Ichigo, I missed you! Come kiss this beautiful wizard~!"

"Oh, for fuck’s sake!" Ichigo shoves the hovering kissy lips away from her, the long white mane of the man is tickling her nose.

Merlin, the Mage of Flowers. How easily this person walks into her or hijacks other Servants' dreams, he is twirling around in this everlasting garden, Avalon. The place is also similar to one of her dreams, the Kingdom of Rainbows, Il Mheg. When Merlin visited that dream, he was beyond ecstatic, a place that once existed where fairies existed while neighboring mankind, though not of Britannia nature. Shakespeare was a bit confused that Titania was the king and Oberon was never in the picture, proof that this is not one of his plays being dreamt of.

There is another figure in this dream, Fray Myste who declares that he is Ichigo's other self; rage, regret, and anguish personified. Her Alter Ego. He looks so out of place with the darker coloration of his armor, mostly black and blue with a little bit of gold. Well, for being Ichigo's other self, makes sense if this is his dream too.

"Merlin, what do you want?"

It was a rhetorical question; she knew exactly what he wanted. A companion. Not that the Magus wanted to openly admit it, but being a half-demon, he could not quite understand human emotion. Ichigo could not claim that she knew better about him but it is possible that he that emotionally deprived since he was also a half-human. Said status does not make him less obnoxious though.

"I just want to play! Come on, it's not every day I can visit you," Merlin pouted.

"Just what were you doing if you're not visiting people's dreams?" Ichigo relented. 

"Updating my Magi☆Mari website!”

"Not visiting some artists' dreams and copying their ideas?"

"Really now. Who do you take me for?"

Ichigo shrugged lazily. She is not going to win that argument.

“Also, why is it that every time I visit you, he shows up? He's no fun at all!" Merlin pointed at Fray, who seemed busy himself making flower crowns out of marigolds. The same flower Ichigo promised to bring for the ghost girl.

"Well, I guess I have that side of me that is no fun at all. I never claim to be the most interesting person in the world."

"Lies and slander. Ichigo darling, you saved the world!" Merlin made an exaggerated motion with his arm, "Here comes the savior!"

"Geez, I wish Abigail, Edmond, and Oberon were here."

"You're not getting rid of me that easily."

"I'm truly cursed then." Ichigo huffed amusedly.

On her right, Fray opted not to say anything and kept fiddling with the buttercups after finishing one crown that he placed on top of his own head, his helmet actually. Ichigo and Merlin kept having their light-hearted conversation of downplaying insults. 

The scenery was so sweet and cheery as the sound of thunder wrecked the mood, they turned to the sky and saw a clump of grey clouds. A storm in Avalon was almost impossible since it was the land of everlasting peace. Sometimes it decided to show its clairvoyance nature when trying to tell its denizens something. 

"Oh dear, it seems the Fate is set in motion again, maybe the person in question is metaphorically here that's why," The flowery Magus scratched his chin, if not being extremely cryptid.

"You're the one who kept bringing me here!" Ichigo is disgruntled. She sees what a lonely wizard Merlin is and comes up with an idea, "Hey, Merlin, what's your email?"

 


 

The next morning, Merlin's email address was etched on her brain when Ichigo finally woke. She jotted it down on a Post-it note before getting off to school per usual. It is not like she was going to contact him anytime soon, since she does not own a phone or a laptop. The only good thing is that Japan embraced the internet pretty early, if not, any of her recently bought electronic devices that required internet services would be useless.

The next problem was the money to buy the phone. Maybe she can apply for a part-time job. She cannot get a smartphone, which is like decades in the future, Chaldea was equipped with high-end technology because of SHEBA, and SHEBA does not exist anymore. Her country was known for the popularity of flip phones, so that is what she can get. Except, she had no idea how much cell phones cost these days. 

Is it expensive? Inflation in the future was a horror on its own.

"Oh! I almost forgot the about flower-"

She was then cut off when she heard people screaming and running for their lives. There was a loud explosion from a nearby office building and the city sirens were blaring.

Ichigo has seen a lot of phantasmal creatures, this one is like a mix between a centipede and a praying mantis, the face is bone white, and a hallowing circle in the middle of the chest-- Stomach? Whatever, it is somewhere around there. What is a phantasmal beast doing in the modern age? It was way past their time of the man-eating period. The allowing circle though, she had seen it before. It was the reason why Scáthach drilled her to control her spiritual abilities output; she was walking around like a leaking mead barrel, attracting those beasts.

Dear every divinity above, the training she came up with was pulled straight from Hell; Ichigo cannot help but shudder to remember it. It is a good thing that the petite lady in black is handling the beast quite well otherwise Ichigo might have to offer a hand.

By the way, what are those people dressed in black called? Ushiwakamaru once told her about it since she had seen a lot of them in the aftermath of a battle, sending souls back to the afterlife. She also told Ichigo about this one that she nudged in concern because he was in a fit of coughing; the man has long white hair, strangely the eyebrow is black, and wields a pair of strange, pronged swords.

They refer to their uniform as Shihakushō. Garments of Dead Souls.

They called themselves...

"...a Soul Reaper."

A cry of defeat from the beast as the figure finished it off, Ichigo did not see it as she continued walking to school. Unbeknownst to her, the petite Soul Reaper was glancing in her direction. Hearing what she just said.

 


 

Ichigo went through the list of part-time jobs she had written down on a piece of paper. She explored the shopping district asking for information from many establishments there. Should she choose to work in a franchise restaurant? She is not sure if she had the patient standing all day in front of the cashier. Maybe the one at the flower shop? She does learn ikebana from numerous Japanese Servants after all.

Wow, this is what it feels like to be a regular teenage high schooler in Japan, huh? The Commander of Heroes is bested by monetary issues so she can appease a lonely wizard. She really does stoop low.

"Curse for being fifteen again. Time travel, time loop, singularities, Lostbelt. Fuck my li-" Ichigo punched her pillow in agitation for being penniless.

She saw the petite lady Soul Reaper from the previous morning just passed through her wall. Rude. The very audacity of this ghost. She grabbed her pencil case and threw one of her pencils at the Soul Reaper's head. It landed at the small Reaper's head, which stopped her from doing whatever she was going to do, peering down at the pencil that Ichigo had previously thrown. Then a barrage of writing tools were thrown at her relentlessly.

"Hey! Cut that out!" The Soul Reaper turned at the owner of the room hotly. Eyes filled with befuddlement as if she could not believe that Ichigo was throwing her things.

Ichigo cackled mischievously, she rounded in front of the Soul Reaper and pinched the Soul Reaper's nose.

"What the hell, let go! Wait a minute you just touch me!?" The Soul Reaper was flabbergasted, "You can see me?"

"Yeah, I can see you. You better not cross people's rooms like that. It's rude you know."

"It wasn't a problem since regular people can't see me!" The lady Reaper interjected.

"So you don't mind entering someone's room as they're changing their clothes? My, quite a daring Soul Reaper you are."

The lady Reaper blushed instantly and did not argue back since Ichigo did have a point.

"Well, if you don't have any business here, you can continue on-"

"Wait, wait, hold on. How do you know that I'm a Soul Reaper?"

Ichigo did not immediately answer, her eyes went upward, thinking of what she should say.

"I've seen one. Disappointing really, considering how they were depicted in folklore, it is kind of disappointing that this one simply looked like a girl with a very small and short stature. No grim-looking face or wearing a skull mask while wielding a scythe. "

"Seen one? When? You must have a lot of Reiryoku then."

Why can't this tiny lady just leave?

"Sure, Reiryoku... Didn't you have kinds of stuff to do? Dragging unfortunate souls back to Yomi?"

"Yomi? No, I'm here on a mission to exorcise Hollow and send human souls back to Soul Society."

"Soul Society? What a crap name." Ichigo muttered. Also, the Reaper does not need to tell her what her mission is, it is not like she cares anyway.

"Excuse me?!" The Soul Reaper screeched in offense.

"It sounded like a dingy bar where instead of resting, souls hanging out and drinking their sorrow out."

"Mind you, Soul Society is a respectable place and held in high regard!"

Yeah, high regard in the ass. Ichigo snorted lowly.

But seriously Soul Society? Which Afterlife Divinity thinks it apt to name their dominion Soul Society? She has been to Kur, the Sumerian citizen calls it Kur, Ereshkigal calls it Kur, Gilgamesh calls it Kur, and the history book calls it Kur. Hades ruled the Underworld, consisting of; Elysium, Asphodel, fields of punishment, Tartarus, etc. Lady Izanagi's realm is called Yomi, as the way the Shinto religion refers to the land of the dead. The Norse has Helheim, Valhalla, and Folkvangr.

So which cosmology textbook she has missed all this time that mentions the word Soul Society? And the small lady reaper said she was here for a mission. She does not sense someone is going to die. She was here because people were already dead, and she was here only to collect! 

"So, you guys didn't wait at someone's side when they're dying?"

"No. Why would I do that?"

Why would she do that she said. Why would she do that she said. That was depressing and not particularly helping. Maybe that is why ghosts exist, not enough Soul Reapers to send them back to the afterlife. For sure the little reaper currently standing in her room does not represent Death because she does not feel like one. There is no dread or overlooking fear of the incoming end that is the fate of every living being.

Very different in the presence of King Hassan.

 

Ichigo inconspicuously glanced at the sword at the lady reaper's hip. 

This Soul Reaper is just...a person

 

Suddenly something else piqued her interest. She opened her bedroom window. Smelling the air, a waft of rancid entered her nose though not that of trash. It is quite strong, judging by the presence.

Then she heard a ringtone from the lady reaper. Turns out the Soul Reaper owned a flip phone. Electronic is available in the afterlife? That is quite unnerving.

"Move aside!" The Soul Reaper turned serious and jumped out of the window.

Ichigo watched the Soul Reaper jumping from house to house to the source of trouble

... She's not going to make it... 

She weighed her decisions before following the Soul Reaper.

 

Ichigo dashes around the neighborhood by strengthening her leg, pinpointing the location of the beast and the Soul Reaper. It had not been that long since the agent of death's departure. Currently perching on top of an electrical pole, reinforcing her sight to observe the situation. Good thing the beast was at some local park, there is plenty of space to fight. But that is at least a Demon Boar-level monster; The shape was not of a boar, instead, it is huge and tall, like a man-lizard, and agile for something of such size. It surprises her that it is actually humanoid.

She can feel it. That there is something that is not right in this situation.

A cascade of red passed behind her.

Ichigo sharply turned around when she sensed that unknown presence. Observing the surroundings to find nothing. She swears there was a gaze at her back just now, only then she made a choice not to call it out.

She wrote a rune of ice and put her palms together; a projected spear of ice came out of existence. Strengthening her leg again, Ichigo jumped away from a high point to another high point.

 

 

A man wearing a white and green striped hat came out of the shadow. His grey eyes which were once shadowed by the edges of his headwear shone in clear fascination under the moon as he watched a red-haired girl disappear into the distance with clear fascination.

 

 

Ichigo arrived at the scene and, at the same time, blocked a swiping tail directed at the petite Soul Reaper. She enchants the spear before launching it at the neck area. When she was sure that it stuck halfway at the beast's neck, she snapped her finger. As in command, the spear exploded into a krone of ice that blocked the beast's view; a gurgled roar filled the air as it flailed while trying to claw the ice out. Ichigo went to the Soul Reaper, who had a bleeding head.

Can she transfer her spiritual energy to heal her? Worth trying. "You, okay?" Ichigo hovers her hand at the wound, a green light appears, and the wound starts to stitch back.

"You! How did you-? What are you?" The Soul Reaper blinked in confusion at the display of healing magecraft.

"... A local Magus."

What an understatement that confession was.

They saw the beast forcefully snap the ice out of its neck and crush it with its bare hand. Ichigo and the Soul Reaper rolled out in opposite directions when the beast slammed its elongated arm at them.

Ichigo grabbed a stray rock, chanted something, and threw it at the face. The rock exploded into a ray of light, blinding their adversaries. She knows she is not strong enough in her current state, so she can only distract the beast.

But she might be able to trap it. What can this Soul Reaper do? Can she rely on her? The Soul Reaper has a sword, the only matter is how good she is at wielding it.

"Hey! I have an idea. I'm going to trap it with a spell; can you land the killing blow?" It is going to sap Ichigo a lot of energy for crafting this spell. The Soul Reaper gives Ichigo a weird look as if she had grown two heads or something though nods her head in confirmation a second later.

Ichigo ran forward, tapping her palm to the ground as the ground of the park was covered in ice. She slides underneath the beast as it tries to grab her but loses balance over the slippery footing before it crashes to the ground, she bends the flat ice into a spike, keeping the beast's whole body in place.

"NOW, SOUL REAPER!"

The petite Soul Reaper aimed her sword at the beast's bone face, she was going for a slice before the beast threw its head forward, purposely colliding with the small figure.

The neck can stretch?! What kind of shitshow was that!

The whole body spasmed, wrecking the ice everywhere, Ichigo could only cross her arms as a shield at the sudden turn of events, hissing at her own conjured ice cutting her skin like tiny pieces of glass. The beast has the petite Soul Reaper trapped in its teeth, Ichigo cursed and threw a fireball at it, instantly letting go of the body that it caught. She dashes to catch the Soul Reaper, grabs her fallen katana, and dashes out of the park.

Ichigo ran toward the road directed to the riverbank. Holy shit why am I going this way?! 

Not good. Man down. The injuries the Soul Reaper received are not pretty. It is how you expect someone to be bitten by a large tooth, if the wound had been deeper, it might successfully be chopped half of the already small body of the Soul Reaper.

Damn, Ichigo needs to stop the bleeding. She mentally said sorry and froze the flow of the blood from the Soul Reaper's wound; as a response, the agent of death screamed in pain; this time Ichigo said, "Sorry!"

She arrived at the riverbank. Shit. Why the fuck she remembered her mother's dying place at a time like this! Wait, maybe she unconsciously thought she could use the river's water to incapacitate the Hollow! Heck, yeah. Positive thinking. Negative mind, shoo!

The river is not deep. It is mostly shallow and young children used to play in it, catching minnows. As Ichigo went into it, she realized that she had gone out from home without wearing any footwear. 

The beast swerved in no time, trampling madness toward Ichigo who still had the petite Soul Reapers carried in her hands, and yet she crouched low, stabbing the katana she held into the ground. Her now free left hand is able to touch the water, "Do you know what's the best thing about using Runes?" A magic circle appeared below her; the river water rises and starts enveloping the beast, it jumped but a Rune appeared beyond him, and it pushed him back into the water. Ichigo motioned her hand to the front and gripped it to form a fist, "I don't have to chant to activate it," The water pierced the beast like a porcupine, but it did not stop there, the water froze to make the needle become permanent on the beast's body, creating a sculpt out of it.

"And that's...the best I can do for now," Ichigo takes a deep breath as she let her butt fall into the water.

"Ugh, where are we?" The Soul Reaper groaned, trying to get as clutching her freezing wound.

"Onose River, Karakura's local water park," Ichigo joked, helping the agent of death to stand, "Maybe you can finish it off? No matter how gory I attack this monster, I don't seem able to be able to kill it."

The Soul Reaper looked at the work Ichigo had done and blinked in astonishment, "You need to break the mask. That's the only way to exorcise a Hollow and only a Zanpakutou is able to do that."

Zanpakutou? Soul Cutter?

Ichigo glanced at the sword she once stabbed at the river ground. She unstuck it and handed it to the Soul Reaper, "Here you go."

"Thank y- CERO!" The Soul Reaper moved in front of Ichigo and used her Zanpakutou to shield them. Both are thrown backward by the huge red blast.

 

Getting up, Ichigo felt her head spinning. She is wet and has a hissing sting throughout her body. A burn injury? The Hollow...can shoot laser? The fuck?!

Where is the Soul Reaper? She looked around and spotted a lying body at the edge of the riverbank. God, she hopes she is still alive.

Ichigo sensed a shadow looming over her. Turning her body, she looked up. The Hollow is going to eat h-

 

"Soukatsui!"

 

A blue blast hit the Hollow's face. It toppled away to the side.

 

"Magus! Get over here!" The Soul Reaper shouted.

Ichigo went over to the petite agent of death as quickly as she could. She sees the Soul Reaper holding her Zanpakutou horizontally toward her with immense pain.

"There's no time if this keeps going on, we're just food for it," The Soul Reaper tried to steady herself, because of her injury, her hold on her sword was shaky, "You have to become a Soul Reaper."

"Are you nuts? Is that even possible?!" From behind, Ichigo can hear the Hollow howling.

"I don't know, but we don't have other choices. Run the point of this Zanpakutou to the center of your being, and I'll pour my power into you."

"You could've said you’re going to stab me..." Ichigo grabs the blade anyway and positions it to her heart.

In the background, the Hollow roared and ran toward them.

Here goes nothing!

"What's your name, Magus?" The Soul Reaper started.

"Ichigo Kurosaki, how about you Soul Reaper?"

"I'm Rukia Kuchiki."

Ichigo can feel her flesh being pierced and the world suddenly turns white.

 

 

Fray outstretches his hand toward the small light, he beholds on his hand, "State your name?"

"It's... Sode no Shirayuki."

"I see, call me Fray. We'll be relying on your assistance."

Sode no Shirayuki accepted Fray's hand and the world shifted.

 

 

The Hollow is thrown back by the sheer magnitude of the spiritual energy. Ichigo Kurosaki now stood in black shihakushō with a katana at her side. She unsheathes it and gets into the stance that Kojirou taught her. Both hands hold the sword high in the air.

Breathe...

In one swing she sliced the arm that trying to reach her.

In her ears, the Hollow roared in pain at the loss of one of his hands.

"Let's end this," She beheld the sword at the Hollow, "In one strike."

 

With a single swing, she cut the Hollow in half.

 

Notes:

If you are confused about how I make the conclusions of FGO, it's actually quite convoluted.
'Whatever it is, it erases the 'suggestion' of Finis Chaldea. Therefore, the whole thing technically never happened. It happened but it IS a 'forgotten timeline'. It's only real (currently) for Ichigo and Merlin. This means 'Mash' never existed because she was never born in the first place. Sad right. This is me combining Square Enix and the Type-Moon formula of logic.

Fray: His email? You're gonna regret that
Ichigo: I count the risk and I already did
Or as I quote from EMIYA, 'That's hell you're walking into'

Chapter 2: Envoy of The Star

Summary:

"Aw yeah, I got a sword again!"
Ichigo proceeds to blame everything on Merlin.

Notes:

I take constructive criticism...just not from Sherlock Holmes

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo tunes out Merlin's complaints about not contacting him immediately after receiving his email address while lightly chewing a stem of sour grass flower and watching Fray with a white-themed lady; who is a Spirit, explaining the type of flowers to her. He is doing a good job of teaching her to ignore the resident wizard. Ichigo mumbled something at Merlin, it came out unclear because of the plant in her mouth, and the wizard whined again.

"I said I don't have a phone!" She spat out the flower at Merlin.

"And why don't you have a phone?" Merlin dodges the flower being spat at him with ease.

"I don't have any money," What does he expect, Ichigo is back as a fifteen-year-old with pocket money as an income.

Merlin harrumphed and finally gave up with his arguing, an attempt that ended up hilariously one-sided. Ichigo sighed and decided to experiment, she willed the katana to appear in her hand. The sword felt familiar in her hand, but its appearance is different. It is the appearance of Rukia's Zanpakutou. How on Earth did she end up with a weapon or wearing the shihakushō when she stabbed herself, she has no idea. Means this that Zanpaktou and the Soul Reaper's uniforms are not normal weapons and clothes. They are Mystic Codes...of sorts. 

"Excuse me, are you the owner of this inner world?" The white-themed Spirit lady asked.

Inner world? 

Must be a term Soul Reapers uses.

"No, technically we’re metaphorically here because of this guy," Ichigo pointed at the sulking Merlin, "Loves to hijack people's dreams. If an Inner World is a projected view of oneself then no, this isn't that. You got roped in because I absorb you from Rukia," Wow that sounds weird. Really? Absorb? Ichigo slapped herself on the forehead inwardly. She's not a vitamin!

"Yes... I suppose," The Spirit nodded numbly.

"Are you angry? It's okay you know; you have every reason to be angry about it."

"No, it's just... Lady Rukia cannot wield me anymore, but neither can you. We Zanpakutou Spirits are born with their master, as you are not my original master, I'm afraid I can't be much of some help to you," She said dismissively.

Ichigo gets the idea, that the lady is the spirit of the sword she wields, though she cannot use the actual power since the sword was borrowed. That is okay, she is confident with her swordsmanship and her spellcraft, "Then don't give me your true name, I don't have the right. Still, is there a name I can use so I can address you properly?"

“Would Yuki suffice?"

Snow. How fitting, "Nice to meet you, Yuki. I'm Ichigo Kurosaki and don't worry, I'm confident with my skills," Ichigo twirled the sword, resting it on her shoulder.

"What about me? Don't forget about me! Ichigo I don't have friends to have a chat with!" Merlin whined.

This guy, seriously. Was he expecting Line in the year 2004? Is this one of the criteria for becoming a Grand Caster, by losing their common sense? Pfft, yeah, like Merlin have any of that in the first place. A guy who used to catfish Romani because the doctor; turned out to be Solomon, The King of Magic, is his fanboy. Why not catfish other people then? Like Waver or some random Magus in the Mage Association.

Unfortunately, Merlin's preference for dealing with humans is akin to a child that is picky with their food. Ichigo is certain the moment she got her phone, Merlin is going to spam her mailbox.

"What am I supposed to do then, steal one?!"

Merlin twiddled his fingers. Dumbass is giving Ichigo a pleading look to consider it as an option.

"Myrddin Emrys! Pull yourself together, you damn Welsh wizard!" Ichigo pulled Merlin by the ear.

"Fine!" Merlin is sulking again, "... By the way, thanks for bringing the pretty lady."

Ichigo decked him down with the butt of her sword.

 


 

Ichigo wonders about last night after she blacked out, someone must have carried her back to the house. Waking up in her bed just before her father's usual antics happen, she examines her clothes; no black garment or sword anywhere. It could be her father... Or someone else, the one that was watching her. When not sensing the enemies through energy, one of her training was to sharpen her perception. One reason why warriors of the olden days are often paranoid is that they make themselves like that. If you are good enough, it is borderline clairvoyance. But this is not a fifty-fifty chance guessing game, someone is watching her and whoever that is, they are dangerous.

Anyway, is this what Soul Reaper does in the modern-day? Rukia just came in as the new transfer student and offer Ichigo a handshake; showing her palm scribbled with 'make a scene and I'll kill you!'.

Agents from the realm of the Dead can fake legal papers like the goddamn CIA?

Also, Rukia is solid now like a living person. That body cannot be real. Trying to use a Magus perspective might be a little bit farfetched, Ichigo knew the body is not of a homunculus nature.

 

Rukia pulled Ichigo to the school's backyard to have a chat. Where else can High School students have their otherworldly-themed conversations about monsters and magic swords?  

"Why don't you go back to Soul Society then, aren't your job finished?" Ichigo asked.

"I can't contact my Zanpakutou spirit," Rukia said dejectedly.

"Dressed like snow, with long white hair, and wearing a purple shitake hairpin?"

"You met her? How is that possible?!" 

Based on Rukia's reaction, seems seeing others let alone meeting other Soul Reaper's Zanpakutou spirit is very unusual. 

"I don't know, and it's not like I contacted her. She was just there," In other words, Ichigo proceeds to blame Merlin, "Can I give her back, she's part of you right?"

"It's not that simple. What I did was against the law of Soul Society," Rukia is dismissive, "While I'm not completely losing all of my power, I'm not even half of what a Soul Reaper should be."

It sounds like Rukia accidentally severed the ties between her and Yuki. Might be temporary. But there is a risk in the act of transferring powers, if Rukia just gave her a small portion, it will come back pretty fast. Unfortunately, the person she chooses to give her power to is Ichigo, there is like ninety-nine percent guarantee not according to plan if it involves her. The one percent was her luck which has been sabotaged a lot in life and her plain stubbornness to throw everything outside expectation.

Ichigo can only lament how enjoyable her life is, "Hmm, there's a factor that you transfer from reaper to human, I'm not sure about human to the reaper, that's enough sacrificial risk for one day."

"Exactly! That's why I want you to take over my duty as a Soul Reaper until my powers get back."

Oh, sure Ichigo will take over-- Wait a diddly darn minute, "Excuse me, what?"

"You take over my duty as a Soul Reaper, fair exchange right?"

Fair exchange right? No, you absolute simpleton. Rukia recently broke one of the laws of her organization and she wants the other accomplish to continue the illegal action.

What is next? Selling narcotics to Hollow?!

Chaldea was legal because the Animusphere family consulted with the United Nations. How they agreed, let alone convinced, on a time-traveling mission to save humanity still leaves Ichigo in wonder. What exactly does Olga say to them? Do they even know that it involves time traveling or it is exact nature? Ichigo is pretty sure if the UN know what had to be done to save the world, they would immediately withdraw the approval.

... Is there the Realm of the Dead version of the UN?

"Are you sure this is okay?" Ichigo is worried about the trial that was going to happen if being found out.

"We're already this deep, there's no turning back," Rukia put on a red glove with a fiery blue skull decoration and then push Ichigo's Soul out of her body. 

"Holy shit..." Lo, behold! Ichigo's Soul is wearing the Soul Reaper's black uniform and a katana on her side, "Wait a minute, this is forced employment!"

"Come on we got a Hollow to slay!" Rukia grabbed Ichigo by the collar.

"Wait, what about my body? We can't just leave my soulless body here, people are going to think I'm dead! Rukia! RUKIA!"

 


 

Hollows are a race of creatures that were born from human souls that stay too long in the land of the living. They settle in Hueco Mundo (Spanish?) and they can cross over to the human world. To slay a Hollow, one must cut their skull and head in two with a Zanpakutou, their sin is purified, and they end up in Soul Society. Much to Ichigo's dismay, Soul Reaper did not summon their uniform or their weapon like some kind of magical girl show. Zanpakutou is given during their academy days in the form of an Asauchi -a nameless sword- and a shihakushō are given when they became an officer. Apparently, not everyone can manifest a Zanpakutou spirit, and it was considered rare for an academy student to do so, even a full-fledged Soul Reaper. 

"Are they called Hollow because of the hole?" Ichigo asked while thinking about something else while hitting multiple balls. Strike!

This is interesting because this meant that Zanpakutou was made. Guess not everyone can own a weapon of eld, which is no surprise since this was no Age of Gods. However, the thought of someone who can create a weapon to pour oneself to form a power and give birth to a new personality is no joke either. In a way, the phrase 'sword is an extension of swordman's limb' is implemented quite literally.

"It's been called like that for a long time," Rukia answered.

What about Ghouls then? Ichigo was not going to comment on how uncreative the word that Soul Reaper uses for the beast is as if calling them empty and having no feeling whatsoever. St. Martha always prays for the Ghouls so they find the route to Heaven because allegedly, they are a creature that fails to become humans. She hoped that next time they can finally become one themselves.

"... Did you exorcise a little girl with twin tail hair recently?"

"I did. Yesterday morning."

"Oh good, I was supposed to bring her flowers, but I never saw her again, guess she's in a better place now."

If Soul Society is one such peaceful place. Maybe not because schools still exist there.

Ichigo can feel Rukia was assessing her like an unidentified object, the Soul Reaper told her everything about her job and yet Ichigo did not tell her back anything about being a Magus. The quote 'to be a Magus is to walk with death does not cut for those who are already dead. Magus are secretive people, though if they know that someone has been digging out their secrets, they do not hesitate to kill. Maybe they will find a way to bind a Soul Reaper like Rukia, there are two strong possibilities, imprisonment or experimentation. Mage Association is rotten like that.

Ichigo however, being a Magus is a cover-up for a journey that she hopes, someday, ready to share.

"Ichigo-kun?" 

Ichigo and Rukia turn to the source of the voice. Orihime Inoue is carrying groceries, her hand in a bandage, and her leg marked by a bruise that screams foul. Yet she ran toward them as if she never got hurt in the first place. Injuries inflicted by Hollows could be mistaken as an accident, though knowing how much of an airhead Orihime is... Yeah, Ichigo can imagine what she said to the doctor.

"What are you doing here Ichigo-kun? By the way, you're late for afternoon class today."

"I was asleep on the roof," Rukia drags me into her Hollow extermination class, "And I'm playing baseball."

"Oh, are you planning on joining a team?"

"Haha, no. I'm not that good," Smooth lie. It is sword training, "What happened to your arm?"

"I got hit by a car yesterday."

"And your leg?"

"It was last night, by a car."

Ichigo mentally facepalmed. Did Orihime never think that the probability of someone getting hit by a car twice in a day is extremely low, not to mention in a small town like Karakura? Unless... Ichigo glanced at Rukia who thoughtfully looks at Orihime's injury on the leg. Just how long the petite Soul Reaper wants to keep acting?

"Hmm, it seems to be painful," Rukia still going with the act.

"Huh? Oh yeah, the one in the legs hurt so much more than my arm," Orihime said, rather innocently.

Orihime please, you are killing me here. God, why is my friend like this? Ichigo bit her tongue, "Want me to walk you home, I'll piggyback you since it's hurt so much."

"Oh no no! I-I can walk home by myself. E-excuse me then," The almond-haired girl scurried away.

 


 

"So that Orihime girl, you close to her?" Rukia asked, feet dangling from Ichigo's closet, wearing her old pajamas that were given to Yuzu. Good thing Ichigo had experience with something much weirder than a Soul Reaper suddenly living in her closet for free. This is fine. Really it is fine.

... Actually no. She should have set a rent for it so she can buy a cellphone-- Anyway!

"We've known each other since 8th grade, she's closer with Tatsuki than I am. She lives alone. Her brother died in an accident three years ago, Orihime brought him to my family clinic, but he died before the ambulance could take him to the hospital."

Rukia took out her phone, which is not a normal phone since it can receive orders from Soul Society. Ichigo cannot say that it is outdated, it is a perfectly normal model in the current year, or at least for the general citizens of Japan. With SHEBA, Chaldea was able to equip itself with many forward technologies, such as a touch-screen pad. So seeing a vintage phone, Ichigo cannot help but think ‘classic’.

"Say Rukia, did you get paid as a Soul Reaper?"

"We got an annual salary, but there's a bounty system."

"Bounty? There's a wanted Hollow?" Like Old Wild West and Billy the Kid?

"Some are quite notorious and hard to catch, we can get a reward for slaying it."

If you are not dead in the process that is.

"Shit! Ichigo get away!" Rukia's phone suddenly beeped.

Ichigo rolled out from her bed and Rukia instantly separates her from her body. There is a huge hand that fails to catch her, it disappeared and is replaced by a huge humanoid figure of a Hollow that sprouted from the wall. It will be hard to fight in this confined space, which is why Ichigo missed the swing of her sword, it did not cut deep enough.

The mask fell apart, it was the face of... Sora Inoue?!

"Damn he got away!" Rukia gritted her teeth.

First Rukia stole her closet, now a Hollow that was Orihime's brother ransacked Ichigo's room. What a nice eve she has.

"He's coded as Acidwire, let's go!"

 

Arriving at Orihime's apartment complex, the place is already in a mess. In a full body, Acidwire is a snake that spews acid. Sora Inoue turned into a literal poisonous snake. Ichigo kind of wishes the head looked like a cobra, not some ugly bone-masked face.

She saw Tatsuki Arisawa, her childhood friend. Her shoulder was bleeding and her neck was bruised; a sign she had been choked. Orihime on the other hand, her soul is out of her body. The only thing that connected her with it was a long chain. Ichigo suspects the chains are visible now because of her increased spiritual power, they might be subdued before her previous adventure, but after the whole Singularity and Lostbelts, the evidence was there.

Ichigo thoughts it is weird that she is seeing ghosts now. There were no ghosts in Chaldea. Not even once. Those who died during the explosion did not even haunt around. When she was sent on a mission however is when she sees them. Ghosts from the distant past are very colorful, especially when they died without an inch of fabric with them, they have no choice but to haunt around, full frontal naked. 

Wait if there's a chain on Orihime's Soul, does this mean she's dead?

"Ichigo-kun it is you!" Orihime cheered. Her Soul clearly can see Ichigo in her Soul Reaper form.

Ichigo was going to ask why the Hell is Orihime cheering about (Girl, don't you know you're dead?!) but something came toward them in her peripheral vision. Acidwire swings his tail only to find himself in shock as it is grabbed by a bare hand. Ichigo proceeds to haul him out of the apartment, destroying one side of the wall of Orihime's apartment. Great, her old strength came back, and crap, how is she going to pay for that wall!

"Wow, when did you get so strong!" Orihime joyfully exclaimed.

"Orihime I'm begging you, we're all in danger here," Ichigo then rolled away with her friend's Soul from a rain of acid. Now that is twice the damage. She is so going to beat Sora till he is six feet under, "Stay here, I'm going to knock some sense into your brother's slithering butt!"

Refraining from using the word 'ass' since this is still Sora Inoue, brother of the resident bubbly girl. Ichigo jumped in the air and clasp her hand together, formed a long javelin out of ice, and struck Acidwire on his chest; luckily his Hollow hole was a bit downward not centered. She effectively pinned him on the street. He tried to get up, but she dunked by using her heel straight on his face, then she unsheathes her sword, preparing to slice the mask.

"WAIT! Please wait!" With Orihime's voice resounding in the night, Ichigo halted her action. "If he’s truly my brother, please Ichigo let me talk to him!"

Should Ichigo risk it, the blade was just an inch away from Acidwire's mask. In those mere seconds she reflected on herself, she must have looked like a murderer in front of her friend's eyes.

 

"I know that there's turning back when those poor souls turned into this," St. Martha said. "But somehow I wonder if I could talk to them, hear their hearts, just a bit."

 

Ichigo closed her eyes and sheathed her sword. Send Orihime a smile as she nods. Rukia came to Ichigo's side, she was just starting to berate her for not getting the job done. Ichigo simply put her index finger in front of her mouth, telling her to be quiet. 

"Sora-nii, it's me." Orihime crouched, leveling herself closer to her brother's face.

"Orihime...you abandon me,” Sora hissed out, “After I died you would pray for me every day, I thought everything would be alright just from hearing it, but after a year...you became that friend with that Tatsuki, your prayer lessening, then you entered high school, Ichigo Kurosaki appeared and you...never pray again. I hate it."

"Brother... I didn't mean to-"

"I HATE IT! You had come home and all you can talk about was them! I see myself disappear each day from your heart. So lonely. So sad. SO MANY TIMES, I JUST WANTED TO-"

"You think you are the only one who feels sad?" This time Ichigo cut him off. This is how he wanted his sister to love him back. By trying to kill her?! The hunger for being a Hollow was truly something else, "When someone passed away, each side feels sadness just the same, the living grieves, and the dead ask forgiveness for leaving them."

"Why...why...why did you..."

"When an older sibling was born first, their duty was to protect their little brother and sisters. Never say something that you'll kill your own little sister," Ichigo said patronizingly.

"WHY? WHY MUST YOU INTERFERE!" Sora Inoue growled out, yet Ichigo is indifferent.

"You came and attack your sister, destroying her apartment in the process. If you wanted to be remembered, this is how you act. Some brother you are!"

 

Despite Ichigo's harsh words, she cannot help but notice something is weird. It is been three years since Sora's death and his soul still lingering on the living. Would not the Soul Reaper before Rukia should have sent him to the afterlife already? 

Do the Soul Reaper forget their duty or Sora was elusive enough to avoid them?

 

"Brother, please. I know you will never do something like this. At first...I thought simply praying wasn't enough, so I wanted to tell you all the fun things, things I and...my friends," Orihime sobbed, "I wanted you to know that I'm happy, that you don't have to worry about me anymore! I'm sorry if that makes you sad... I'm sorry... I love you..."

Orihime was crying openly, her tears falling on the Hollow's mask. Sora brings up his hand to Orihime's cheeks, trying to wipe the tears.

"Ichigo Kurosaki... I think... I'm ready to go now...," Sora said.

Ichigo breaks Sora's hollow mask, and they see the peaceful face.

"Oh! Sora-nii look, I'm wearing the hairpin that you gave me, I wear it every day to remember you!"

"It's looking good on you Orihime...and thank you...for loving me..."

Golden light scrying in the air.

Farewell, Sora Inoue.

 

Rukia said Orihime is not dead since her 'Chain of Fate' is still connected to her body. So, they are back at the destroyed apartment, heal Tatsuki, and help Orihime fuse back with her body.

"Hey Ichigo-kun, when my brother got me these hairpins, for some reason I hated it. It was our first fight, we ate dinner without saying a word, we both sleep facing the wall, and for the first time I didn't say anything to him as he left for work...," Orihime was lying on her apartment floor as Rukia prepared the body, "What does it have to be that day...am I selfish?"

"No, I don't think so, it's-" Ichigo never knew either why does it have to be that day when her mother was gone, "It's how life works, I guess."

"Life..." Orihime contemplated, "Say Ichigo-"

Rukia clicked a lighter, it puffs out smoke in front of Orihime's face and she is instantly asleep.

"What the fuck Rukia?!"

"It's a memory-changing tool, it's replaced her memories with a new ones. Might as well use it to that one over there," Rukia goes over to Tatsuki, "The replacement memories they got can be random, who knows what memory they get after they wake up."

"Why change their memories? Orihime just has a heartfelt situation with her dead brother!"

"You want to explain to the human authorities how her house got ransacked?"

"Nevermind, continue."

 


 

The next day at school, Ichigo can only call bullshit on Rukia's memory-changing tool. None of the said replacement memories makes sense!

Rukia did not say when she says random it means it could be anything!

That device is super useless!

 

"It's true, a sumo wrestler came over and shot a bazooka at the wall! Right Tatsuki-chan?" Orihime said to the other classmates and tugged at Tatsuki.

"Eh...uh yeah, I think so...?" Tatsuki however cannot quite remember since she was unconscious most of the time.

 

Ichigo wants to hide in the corner by listening to them.

 

Notes:

The reason why Fray was written to know of Sode no Shirayuki was that she was the guest in his 'place' and he cannot communicate with Ichigo coherently yet.
I'm telling you guys, even if Ichigo is a girl, Orihime has a girl crush on her. I guess there's a bit of backstory of why Ichigo gets to be 'kun' like Orihime take one look at her and say: "You don't look like a chan, but Tatsuki is!"

There is an original scene where Rukia has to test Ichigo first before taking the mantle of a Soul Reaper in the comic and anime. I didn't write it because I'm conflicted about the portrayal of my Ichigo and the OG Ichigo. Because the OG one was simply young and needs that kind of thing, my Ichigo already had a lot of that in Chaldea. Well, there's OOC in the tag for a reason.

Chapter 3: To Kill a Hummingbird

Summary:

“Ahahaha, she got punted again!” Say those who watched from the Throne of Heroes.

Notes:

I read the manga again, Ichigo's class number is 13, met a Soul Reaper from squad 13, given a badge by the captain of squad 13. I can even headcanon her spiriton chassis number as 13. Gasp, their luck is rank E!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"Hey, Ichigo how do I drink this?" Rukia does not know how to insert a straw into a juice box.

Ichigo demonstrates how to do it which Rukia copies. They are sitting on the school rooftop, eating their lunch. Mizuiro came by and Ichigo cannot help but be reminded of her promise to email Merlin. The thing is using her saving to buy the phone is possible, the problem is, she is a woman with many needs. She can ask Rukia to split the bill of the Hollow bounty if she hunts some, hoping Soul Society uses the Yen currency. Ichigo Kurosaki, back at fifteen, already planning her mercenary career. The anti-hero servants must have been proud up there.

"You two get along so well, how unlike you Ichigo, making friends this fast," Mizuiro said.

"I get by," Chaldea has its perks.

Mizuiro decided to sit beside Rukia.

Ichigo rolled her eyes as if she knew exactly what he is going to do.

"Hello, Rukia Kuchiki-san, I'm Mizuiro Kojima. Age fifteen and my hobby is-"

"Womanizing," Ichigo cuts his cheap flirting.

Mizuiro fake gasping, "Ichigo you're horrible! You know I'm only interested in older girls."

"That's why I told her to watch out."

Mizuiro confused. Rukia is very much older than anyone in the area, despite her looks. Wait, doesn't that mean Ichigo is his type too? She was three...something... never mind she lost count a long time ago.

"That's strange, Chad's not here yet," Another of Ichigo's old friends since Junior High School, Keigo Asano commented.

 

Ichigo knows that many of her friends are guys because most girls think of her as a brute and have no general feminine interest. Tatsuki is an exception since she is a Karate athlete and taught Orihime martial arts.

She scoffed. Feminine interest... Wait until they see her in a dress, dancing the Waltz on the dancefloor with the man of her dream. If she can raise Edmond from the dead that is.

Now, where is the Holy Grail when you need one?

 

"I don't know, I haven't seen him all da-"

"It's the beautiful transfer student Rukia Kuchiki! Why is she here? Ichigo when did you become friends with her?" Keigo bombarded, effectively cutting off Ichigo's sentences.

"... A few days ago," Ichigo slurped her juice box till it was empty, creating a croaked sound of uncared, and gripping it hard till it flattened.

Keigo looked like he was going to preach before someone kneed him on the back. Great, it is these school goons again, when are they going to learn that it is useless fighting her?

Ichigo stood up and level a stare, she might be shorter, but she is stronger, and courtesy of Heroic Spirits mentors, obnoxiously far stronger.

"Oshima, I see your suspension is lifted."

"Cut the crap Kurosaki, when are you going to dye your hair?! You're copying me!" The goon’s leader, Oshima chortles annoyingly.

"Copying you? My hair is like this since I was born, I say you're the one copying me chicken head," Ichigo practically ignored him when he bristled, like a kitten, and merely continues, "Why don't you try rainbow, it'll suit you better."

Oshima chuckled darkly, he went to his pocket and took out an iron knuckle. Bringing a weapon to school? There you go for your extended suspension. Ichigo glances at Oshima's friend who cowers when he met her eyes, and shrugs in defeat, knowing he cannot change his friend's mind.

No one flinches when Oshima is suddenly flung away like a ragdoll, rolling somewhere around the corner, it is like they silently expect it to happen.

The newly arrives Sado 'Chad' Yasutora was not just a friend of Ichigo, he is her comrade, against these people who prejudiced them for looking biracialChad is half-Mexican, while Ichigo; her mother did say the Kurosaki has Scottish-German roots. Masaki Kurosaki does not elaborate further on their family lineage but it kind of explains why Ichigo got red hair while Yuzu got blonde hair. Karin inherits their father's black hair. 

Ichigo examined Chad's appearance. He is not looking great; his right arm and head are bandaged. There is a pattern going on since Orihime’s case, people keep getting hurt left and right.

"What happened to you Chad?" Keigo asked.

"Yesterday, a steel beam from above, and when I went to buy bread, I collided with a motorcycle," Chad said casually, "The guy with the bike was seriously injured, so I took him to the hospital."

Chad was born with the hardest and the boniest body that a human could ever get, almost like a walking shield. Although, in Ichigo's opinion, surviving a falling steel beam is beyond normal human capacity. For many years she is being friends with Chad, and she just realized it now. Her best friend's body condition is similar to the story of Ferdiad with his tough-as-rock body.

"So that's why you were late..." Keigo just buys it, of course.

Chad came with his new little friend; it is a cockatiel.

Well, he does love small animals-

"Hello, my name is Yuuichi Shibata, nice to meet you! What are your names?" The little bird said with a singing tonal.

What. The. Fuck.

Ichigo raised her eyebrows high. That little bird just spoke perfect full sentences. It is normal for a parrot or cockatoo family to speak but the mannerism is more of copying what humans mostly said. The little bird's grammar is tidy... And it is not normal for a bird to possess a Soul of a little boy.

That explains of Chad's injuries then, "It's baiting Hollows," She murmurs in concern. 

"We still don't know if it’s a singular or multiple Hollows, let's investigate tonight," Rukia silently added.

 

That night, Ichigo and Rukia were shadowing Chad from a tree near his house. Never thought she would do this to her best friend in her entire lifetime. However, it has been an hour and there are no signs of Hollow. Not even Rukia's phone beeping for information.

"Tell me something, why do you think it would work for Sora Inoue? You know you can't always redeem every Hollow." Rukia decided to leisure her seating on the branch.

"Someone told me, she called them Ghouls though, that it was a mercy to end their mindless hunger. But she wanted to at least try, if she can connect with them one last time before exorcising them," Not just Martha though, several Heroic Spirits actually; Jeanne, St, George, and Amakusa, "Call me a sap but I think she would be happy that I was able to do it, even if it's just a one-time occasion."

"This person trained you? I have seen you fight; you know swordsmanship, martial arts, and tactics, you gave most talented Soul Reapers a run for their money."

"One of my teachers," Martha may mostly whack monsters with her staff or launch Tarasque as a projectile. But in a 'vacation', she goes full boxing with her Jacob Limb's technique, passed down by the prophet Moses himself. Good thing she stops trying to make sense of those random beach Singularities, otherwise, she might have gone crazy first. Follows Martha's advice, "Just roll with the punches!”

"You have a lot of teachers then?"

"Yeah, but they're mostly gone now," Like chronologically gone as histories and technically immortal on the Throne of Heroes. Ichigo gave a solemn expression so Rukia can believe she is sad about their passing. It is acting. She is not that sad since they are most likely watching her from the Throne of Heroes. Jackasses probably laughing at her too, "One of them is away at the British Isles," She helpfully adds one who is alive, though she must find the portal for the Land of Shadows to meet her. Merlin is alive too and does count as her teacher...with extreme prejudice.

"Ah... I'm sorry."

It is not a lie, just a half-truth. Which is also a half-lie. Ichigo does miss them, however. Their destructive antics are the best!

"Hey Rukia if we come across some Hollow with a bounty, can we split the money? Not that I’m ungrateful but I'm a teenager who doesn't have a job and I want to buy something without burdening my parent." Ichigo finally said what she wants to say.

"Sure, I can convert the money into human currency."

Human currency? Does Soul Society have its own currency?

"Thanks! Anyway, I guess this is a bust, let us get back so we can continue tomorrow." 

Today is one heck of a busted scouting.

 

The next day, Ichigo had just come back from school and the clinic was busy, there is an accident at the intersection near the house. Her dad was making calls for the hospital for more beds since it is a clinic, so their equipment was limited, it's kind of awkward for standing in the hallway not doing to help, watching a stretcher come and go...this imagery...it's like that time after Chaldea got bombed.

"Nee-san, help me. This one is heavy!" The one Yuzu tried to lift is Chad?!

Taking over, Ichigo and her dad lift Chad to a bed; took his shirt off, and on his back was a peculiar wound. Foul like the bruise on Orihime's leg, it shaped like a stomp of a velociraptor (she watched Jurassic Park), blood oozing from the place of the claw, but overall, it looked like a terrible burn. Can these Hollow's feet utilize heat too?

Her attention then goes toward the cockatiel that is placed at the table, which is strange, that bird is here and yet the Hollow did not approach whatsoever, most do not care even if her family is present. This one is way too clever; the Hollow was aiming for the soul inside the bird, and it attacks Chad because he is protecting the target. Hide in plain sight? Observing his prey? This is a characteristic of a predator. A Hunter? No, it is not sophisticated enough. Hitman? It does not have a master...then a serial killer?

Ichigo's train of thought was cut as she saw from the corner of her eye, is Karin alright?

She heard her father fussing over Chad, who stubbornly refuses to stay, the huge teen walked a bit before promptly collapsing.

Which she should investigate first, the bird or Karin?

 

"We're not going out tonight," Ichigo said to Rukia.

"What?! Ichigo, there's a killer on the loose outside!"

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" Ichigo mostly said this for herself, "No, we're wasting our time, the Hollow is smart, and it is as you said, the Hollow is a killer. It enjoys killing. The target is the soul inside the bird. What we need is a plan."

Rukia gaped, she cannot say she wants to refute that, and cannot help but try to think either, "Hollows can travel to a dimension between this world and Soul Society when they're not doing something evil. Suffice to say, we can't sense them if they're in the in-between."

"Which is why you always receive orders beforehand. We have no choice; we have to let Chad go."

"Go?"

"Chad is protecting the bird, he won't stay long. I'm judging he'll be out by tonight," With this Ichigo made her choice not to investigate her old friend, "While we can rendezvous after he's out, the Hollow will know we're tailing them, let's do it in the morning."

"What about your school?"

"I'll think of something."

 

During dinner, Karin tried to hide being sick. The girl has a spiritual energy that made her able to see ghosts much like her older sister, Ichigo suspected it is a bit lower than before she is involved in Chaldea, but it will keep developing. Yuzu is a bit slower, thankfully. Alas if her sisters are just like her, running around without controlling their power in multiple singularities, they will be attracting Hollows left and right.

The real question is their parents, Ichigo remembers her mother warning her not to go to the girl at the riverbank before the initial attack, but her father, is Isshin Kurosaki completely powerless?

Ichigo waited exactly after all of her family members got inside their bedroom. She knocked on the bedroom door of her twin sisters and Yuzu opened it. Karin lying on top of the bunk bed admittedly trying to sleep. Ichigo took a deep breath, time to break this down.

"You guys know that I can see ghosts, right? Now, what if I tell you that I can exorcise them too."

Karin weakly stirred; she is not ignoring her older sister. Good start.

"It's true, remember the neighbor whispering about the local park being ransacked? That was me. Yesterday, I exorcised Orihime's brother," Ichigo climbed the small ladder, and she strokes Karin's head gently, "Karin talks to me please."

"...The memories...that boy inside the cockatiel, I don't know maybe because we're close in age, what left in his heart the flowed into me he saw his mother murdered in front of his eyes."

"...I see," Karin is young, children with spiritual ability were very sensitive.

"I'm begging you Nee-chan... please save that kid," Karin grabbed Ichigo's hand that was stroking her head, lightly gripping it.

"I will," Ichigo let the flow of her spiritual energy, comforting Karin, and prompting her sister to sleep, "Yuzu, you must be feeling left out of all this."

Yuzu winced when Ichigo finally looks at her, "I... it’s just, it's not fair, why both of you can do it but I can't?"

Ichigo chuckled, pulling Yuzu to her side as both sat down on the lower bed. When was the last time she has a heart-to-heart with her sisters, it is been way too long. After their mother died, Yuzu took over the role of homemaking quite fast, the moment she can reach the stove, Ichigo seldom cooks again. Their father was the only doctor in the clinic, Karin was ever the tomboy, and Ichigo, the problematic older sister, always got into fights with delinquents that people thought she became a delinquent herself.

"Yuzu, someday you have to understand that it's not a simple can do or can't do, there's a reason why the supernatural event was regarded as a doubt," Yuzu tilts her head in question, "Let me give you an example, a brother and a sister, one can see a ghost while the other cannot, now what's going to happen?"

"I'm not sure...," Yuzu twiddles her thumbs.

"In my take, the sister can't understand the brother and she hate him, or she doesn't hate him, but people don’t understand him. He tried to ask her sister for help, but she can't, because what she saw was simply nothing."

"But what if they both can see?"

"Even if they both can see, people still can't understand them and people fear what they don't understand. Yuzu, you did see them, a silhouette alone is already different than most people."

"So, I can't tell my friends if I can see ghosts?"

"Depends, if they accept you as you are then maybe you can trust them with your secrets," Ichigo flicks her sister's nose, the index finger in front of her mouth, "Our secrets."

Yuzu mimics Ichigo's action, "Our secrets."

They laugh together, Ichigo wished their mother can see them now. It is progress, in time she might be able to tell them about her adventures, about Chaldea, about her friends, about Dr. Roman... About Mash.

"Now go to sleep, if Karin is still not feeling well, tell dad she's sick," Ichigo tucks her sister into bed, something she had not done since they turned ten.

"You're going to exorcise ghosts tomorrow?"

"Shh, our secrets." Ichigo winked, "Good night, Yuzu."

"Good night, Ichi-nee, I love you."

"I love you too," Ichigo switches off the light in the twin’s room.

 

Chad is gone, must have escaped at midnight. Ichigo does not like using her dearest friend like this, which is why she has to act fast; he's already got hurt and that’s all going to happen to him now.

"You have an idea where he might have gone?" Rukia asked, she got no answer, "Ichigo?"

Ichigo closed her eyes, concentrating on every inch of her surrounding as multiple strands of white ribbon appeared.

 

"Spirit Ribbon?"

It was one of Scáthach's lessons that do not involve fighting. Ichigo is forced to sit and concentrate until her whole body trifling by the lack of activities.

"That's right, every living being has this, when you can't sense their spiritual energy, use this to track them."

 

There. Ichigo grabbed the cockatiel-ghost boy's ribbon, "This way, come on the faster the better."

Rukia was speechless, the use of Spirit Ribbon is a high-level technique that only an experienced Soul Reaper can use. How did Ichigo know of this? Was one of her many teachers a Soul Reaper? Rukia was sure, Ichigo Kurosaki was not just a human calling herself a mage.

"Rukia separates me, I'll hide my body first, you go down this road and distract the Hollow!"

With that they split up, Rukia runs along the road until she saw Chad's running form, she is running out of breath because of her gigai -the fake body- she had been using equaling her to a normal person. 

"You smell nice," A creepy voice said from behind.

Rukia abruptly turned. She was so busy chasing Chad that she did not even check her surroundings. Shielding her body from a hit and rolling on the ground, she got up by using her palm as a pivot to push herself up. Rukia then proceeds to kneel the Hollow on the jaw, grab the upper skull, and start chanting a Kidō spell.

"Ye lord! Mask of flesh and bone, flutter of wings, ye who bears the name of Man! Truth and temperance, upon this sinless wall of dreams, unleash but slightly the wrath of your claws. Hadō #33. Sōkatsui!"

She fired the back of the Hollow's head, if it is work then her power is coming back. She cursed her luck when she sees her attack had no effect on it. Shit! That Hollow is going swallow her!

Luckily, she was snatched mid-air by Ichigo. Her rescuer still in the air, let herself fall into the Hollow direction for a bit, before using both of her legs to hold the maw and the jaw so the beast kept opening his mouth, "If the head doesn't work, aim for the inside."

Rukia smirked and fired.

 

Chad snapped his head, he thought he heard an explosion.

"That lady who was chasing us is being attacked by the guy who is chasing us," Shibata said.

"Okay, you stay here," Chad put the birdcage down.

"W-What are you doing?!" Shibata parroted, flapping his wings in disagreement, "No, don't go, mister, it's dangerous!"

Chad takes one look at Shibata, then placed the bird on top of the wall, thinking so it does not get hit by a car.

"No! This isn't what I meant you dummy! You can't see ghost mister!"

Chad already ran off.

 

Aiming the inside only made the Hollow recoil a bit, but a tiny Hollow appeared and explodes, Ichigo lost her grip on Rukia and her eyes are stinging. Temporarily blinded, then she felt like being slammed into a wall, she heard Rukia grunting beside her.

If only she can use one of her hands to heal her eyes, "Oh, I'm so going to kill you bastard!"

"Two Soul Reapers, what a lucky day. I killed the likes of you some years ago, you don't stand a chance against me- WHOA!"

Freed, at last, Ichigo immediately wipes her eyes and sees what is happening. Was Chad just trying to punch the Hollow?

"Did I hit him?" Then he continues to punch an empty air.

"What the heck, it was a fluke, I thought he can see me."

Chad then punches the Hollow squarely in the face.

"Yeah, I hit him."

Never change Chad, never change. Ichigo shakes her head in wonder, "Crap, where's my sword." This guy got explosive minions. First acid, now bombs, unbelievable.

It is getting even more complicated when the Hollow suddenly spread his arm, revealing bat wings, and flies upward. Rukia warns Chad to not space out, telling him the Hollow was airborne.

Chad plugs out an electrical pole off the ground, guess some houses are having a blackout today, "Which direction?”

"Ri-Right there! Just swing it down!" Rukia directed. What is with this town filled with overpowered kids?!

Chad whacks down the Hollow just in time Ichigo found her sword, now she can finally kill that Hollow.

"You fool! Why do you think I was able to evade you Soul Reaper for a long time, I wasn't alone this whole time!"

A rain of tiny Hollows jumps out from the two sides of a towering wall, holding down all of them. This is a damn circus. Are the Heroic Spirits laughing at her from the Throne of Heroes? They may even grab some popcorn to watch Ichigo's misfortune. 

"I want to ask you; did you kill the boy's mother?" Audible enough for someone to talk while kissing the ground. Acidwire was a nice Hollow but not this one.

"That's right! I was the one who killed that brat's mother, I was a famous serial killer-"

"You? A serial killer? What a joke." 

At high speed, a sword was launched as it stuck at the Hollow's mask, "Ack-wha...?" The Hollow was stunned. The weapon is touching-- is stabbing him?!

The Hollow did not know when Ichigo freed herself from his minions. He found his minions were burned to a crisp on the side of the road. The Hollow was about to turn away before Ichigo was suddenly there, right in front of him, staring at him menacingly. 

"Eh, my sword didn't strike deep enough. Should not make a habit out of this," Ichigo grabbed hold of her sword handle and rammed it forward into the Hollow's head. Not caring about the blood and his screaming that poured out, "For someone who calls himself a serial killer, you're so noisy. My mistake for stalling your death," Usually, someone would lecture her for throwing a sword, like Kojirou or Musashi, who said it is unbecoming for a samurai. Ichigo is not a samurai, she is a whatever works person, “You know how satisfying serial killers looked like when they face someone stronger than them? Finding out that they're nothing but a coward? That's your face right now."

Ichigo drags her sword at a slow pace, slicing her way up the Hollow's face until his mask split into two.

The next thing was unexpected, a gate with chains and skeletons on its surface appeared. Turns out, not everything that cut with a Zanpakutou went to Soul Society, it may cleanse the sin they committed after they become a Hollow, but someone that sinned during the time they were alive is condemned to Hell. A gigantic hand wielding a wakizashi stabbed the Hollow in the middle and dragged it inside in order for the Hollow can serve his sentences in Hell.

Ichigo swears she saw a face behind the void of Gates of Hell, a shape of a face that was covered in a tattoo. It was laughing as it drags the Hollow inside.

"Well, that was new," Ichigo whistled. 

 

When they are done it was already late and it is time to send Shibata to Soul Society. The little boy feels reluctant. Afraid of what awaits him on the other side.

"Don't worry, Soul Society is a place you have nothing to be afraid of. Your body feels light and you never being hungry!" Rukia tried to assure Shibata.

"Exactly, it's like how this tiny sister is a freeloader at my house," Ichigo commented and Rukia hits her leg for the jab. The rough administration did not deter Ichigo as she rolled her eyes. Despite all that, Shibata still looks sad, "At least go to a world where you can see your mother, this time she'll be waiting for you."

With that, the bird brightened, it is cute to see a cockatiel having an expression akin to happiness. Before he goes, Shibata spoke his gratitude to Chad.

"Thank you, mister. You carried me around, so I didn't get hurt."

"No problem," Chad nodded, "Yuuichi when I die and go over there, can I carry you around again?"

"Sure!"

 

Chad followed Rukia who said she knows where Ichigo is. He cannot believe his eyes when he saw Ichigo's body under a nearby bridge, and he thought she was dead since it looked lifeless. He almost jolted in surprise when his best friend's body sit up straight as if her Soul decided to come back. 

Ichigo waved her hand at him, "Hi, Chad! How are you? You looked like you've seen a ghost." 

"What happened to you?" Chad asked.

"Me?" Ichigo thinks of something, "I fought some gangster and got thrown into the river. I fell asleep and found myself stranded here by the river current."

"You don't look hurt...or even wet."

Rukia and Chad blinked when Ichigo jumped into the shallow riverbanks, wetting her school uniform, and started to punch herself in the face a couple of times, resulting in a nosebleed and bruised jaw.

"Tada! I am now."

Rukia wasted no time and used her memory device on Chad. The big guy fell like a log as Ichigo catches him, slumped him on her back, and carries him to his house.

"By the way, Ichigo, what was that for?" Rukia refers to the act of wetting her school uniform and disfiguring her complexion.

"I used to fight a lot of the local goons around here. When I tell my father, it's always a slap on the wrist but he still needs to report to my school why I didn't attend class," As Ichigo counted it herself, she has been at school skipping for two days.

"You came up with these excuses a lot?"

"Oh yeah, he probably added Chad into the mix since we're a notorious duo in this city," Ichigo chuckled, "Speaking of that bridge, that's where I met him the first time. Tied to a chair and got beat up by a rival school gang. He wasn't even in a gang; he was minding his own business. But his big body made him a threat to them."

"So, you save him?"

"And sent said rival school gang into a hospital," Ichigo smiled at the memories, "That was the start of our beautiful friendship."

 

Notes:

Hollow cackled, "I'm a murderer!"
Ichigo cocks a gun, "You've had your last haw!"
...OR AT LEAST SHE COULD HAVE!

Chapter 4: Posses The Thrill Seeker

Summary:

Your favorite handsome shopkeeper is here!

Notes:

Ichigo Kurosaki's height: 168 cm (previously 177 cm, she will get this tall again in the future)
If life gives her a theme song: I Will Survive (hey hey)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It appears to be a normal-looking shop on the outside. However, if you are looking for a pepper spray that is strong enough to repel Hollows, you have come to the right place. Welcome to Urahara Shop where you can buy anything you need, black market items from another world, weapons, fuel, talismans, and medicine. They do maintenance and even special orders!

Was the word that Kisuke Urahara loves to repeat in his head every time he wakes up, before dealing with customers.

"Welcome Kuchiki-san, we received new products yesterday," His grey eyes were shadowed over by his green and white striped hat, "What would you like to buy today?"

Honestly, Rukia found the man despicable.

 

"One spare fuel for the memory modification, and thirty somafixer, anything else?" Urahara listed the items that Rukia bought.

"Can you convert bounties into local currency?" Rukia remembers her promise to Ichigo. 

"Sure, let me take a look at your hunt," Fish Bone-D, zero; Hexapodus, nothing; Acidwire, nope; mostly small fry, Shrieker though, "This one is good, bonus cash for 5000, this guy devoured two Soul Reapers."

"I'll pay with that, the rest of it put into Yen...did my order arrive?"

"Oh yeah! Ururu go get it!"

Ururu, a girl with a twin tail, black hair parted in a zigzag and a single pony split into two by her nose, ran to the back of the store to get the stuff. She came back with something wrapped in ominous white cloth.

Rukia checks it, a bit disappointed, "Is this the only one available?"

"Don't say that it's the second most popular, still hard to get," Urahara flipped open a paper fan, resting it in front of his face.

 


 

Rukia gave Ichigo brown envelopes, which contain her share of the bounty. Ichigo is shocked at the amount, for her, it is already enough to buy her a new phone. Then she catches something else thrown at her by Rukia. A toy candy?

"Artificial Pill Spirit, Gikongan, you don't have to worry about leaving your body, swallow one and a temporary soul will inhabit yours when turning into Soul Reaper," Rukia explained. "Push the duck's head, a pill will come out."

Thank you, Rukia. Pretty sure I know the mechanism of the toy candy dispenser. Ichigo thought it is quite odd for Rukia to understand a far more complex mechanism than putting a straw into a juice box. It sounded like the currently depowered Soul Reaper only understands how to operate the kinds of stuff she owned but not general devices in the Human World, for example; Rukia knew how to use a cell phone and not a payphone, also a zero idea about what a pay phone is in the first place.

"Why does it say Soul Candy?" Ichigo checked the words on the toy dispenser. A brand perhaps?

"The Soul Reaper's Women Association complained the name is not cute, it changed three years ago."

There is a Soul Reapers's what now at Soul Society? 

"Okay... And why duck specifically?"

Rukia flushed in the next few minutes, "I-I wanted the Chappy the Rabbit one, okay. But they run out!"

Whoa! Hey, Rukia, no need to get defensive. Also, Chappy? The rabbit that Rukia always drew when she wanted to explain anything about Soul Society was an actual trademarked character in Soul Society?! At this point, there might be a mascot culture over there too.

Ichigo does not particularly care whether it is a duck or rabbit so she popped one round of green candy from the toy dispenser and swallows one, and she is instantly separated from her body. Unlike most times when her body unceremoniously slumped to the ground, this time it kept standing straight.

The temporary Soul inside her body gave her a wide smile and a salute.

"Hello, my name is Ichigo Kurosaki- Huh? Why am I in a female body?!" The temporary Soul said with a squeaky male voice.

"... Rukia, what's the name of the duck product?" Ichigo raised one of her eyebrows, suspicious over the temporary Soul acting very surprised after knowing possessing a female body.

"Yuki, but that doesn't matter, usually voices will synchronize with the body gender."

Ichigo was going to say 'hey, that is the same name as your Zanpakutou spirit' then she refrained, "Should we get an exchange?"

After she said that the temporary Soul ran off immediately in fear. The speed is quite astonishing and Ichigo is almost impressed. It is nearly as fast as she cast the Strengthening spell on her legs--… Wait, CRAP!

"He's running away with my body!"

"After him! Damn, he couldn't be what I think he is!" Rukia shouted. 

Both of them went after the sprinting body. Ichigo observes as 'he' easily jumps around fences, and building, and even leaps on a moving vehicle, "Stop doing that! I don't want to be called a circus performer by people! You ruining my reputation as a delinquent!"

"That's what you worried about!" Rukia spluttered.

 


 

"Look closely! What does it say!?" Jinta, a rowdy boy with red hair, pointed at the box where Ururu picked up the goods previously given to Rukia.

"P-Po… Man... Cha...."

"What is that? A Hong Kong action star?!" Jinta berated non-stop, he pulled Ururu's hair in frustration, "What is wrong with you cockroach bang! You sold a poor-quality item to a customer!"

"Now, now don't fight, it was my fault for not disposing of it in the first place," Urahara separates the quarreling children.

"This could be troubling, we should do something, Tenchō," Said Tessai, Urahara's long-time friend and employee.

"Yeah, who knows what 'he' will do, having gained a body for the first time..."

 


 

The soul inside Ichigo's body was called Modified Soul, there was once a project in Soul Society called Spearhead, basically inserting a soul created specifically for combat into a dead body and using it as a soldier to fight Hollow. This type of modification depends on which part of the human body will be strengthened, the one that possesses Ichigo's seems to be the leg, which means an 'Underpod Type'.

Rukia's personal comment that it was a foolish plan and Ichigo cannot help but think that she heard worse. Even in the afterlife, people are far from the concept of an artificial and super soldier.

"They are supposed to be destroyed but guess some escaped."

Olga has this fear about Mash would probably kill her someday for creating the Demi-Servant, while it was not exactly her order, the former Director has some logical paranoia about it in case Mash rebelled.

"Hmm, an artificial being complete with intelligence and strength…" Ichigo has an idea about this situation, "You know what, leave that Mod Soul to me," She zapped out from Rukia's sight, leaving the petite girl alone.

"What the-? Ichigo where the Hell are you?!"

 

 

Kon sighed in relief, finally able to lose them. Around him is the Human World and they are especially fascinating. Maybe he could explore it with the body he got. It is a little bit disappointing that he got a female body when he has a male voice. Still, this body is not bad at all. This is a prime example of a healthy, strong, and beautiful body, like seriously check out the chest this body has!

Maybe he can get used to this!

"Dear me, of all the personality you have why did it have to be perverted," Ichigo is suddenly beside him, half-disgusted and half-amused with Kon’s action, "How lame. Are you that desperate to be surrounded by women? Also, don't ogle yourself in a public place like this."

Kon jumped in surprise. How did she get here so fast?!

Ichigo hummed as looking at her own face. It is filled with a naïve streak and innocent. An expression Ichigo cannot exactly recall when she was starting to lose it.

"Well, then Mod Soul, do you have a name?"

"What is it to you?" Kon trembled.

"It's only polite to ask someone's name. You see, I'm not exactly a Soul Reaper, I'm still alive and it's not nice stealing other people's property, especially when they're still alive. Unfortunately for you, I have a lot of overprotective friends who might kill you if they know you have my body. One can literally haunt you in your dream," Indeed despite Merlin's easy-going nature. He was once one of Ichigo's Servants and he is very fond of her when they are not a Master-Servant anymore. He will kill the Unknown Soul in his sleep the moment he knows Ichigo's not actually in her body.

"K-Kill me? Aren't they your friends why would they kill me when I have your body?!" The Mod Soul took a step back when he caught a hint of threat within Ichigo's voice.

"That won't stop them. Besides, who said it has to be gory for you to be ripped out of my body?"

"W-W-What do you want?" Kon shivered in fear.

Ichigo tapped her chin in consideration, "How about this, I want you to become my Familiar." 

"F-Familiar? Like a family?"

Ichigo did not expect that and can only respond with a loud laugh. A Familiar that is considered a family member is a lucky familiar. For something that is only regarded as an extension of a Magus, created from unalive material, given form, and live by magical energy from their Master. Not every Familiar is like that, of course, such as Merlin and Fou but they are a horrendous type of special case. She cannot help but pity the Mod Soul, his existence is incredibly brittle and his true shape is a literal pill. She can simply crush him with her bare hand.

"Depends. Do you want a family?" Ichigo leans herself on a tree to relax her back when the Mod Soul is a bit tense.

Kon stiffened, he just wants to live, after Soul Society created him, he and his siblings were ordered to be destroyed. Inside the pill, he watched his friend disappear each day, even after escaping the storage among other pills, he was afraid of being discovered. Life is not something that should be taken by others, he was born like this, and he should at least have the right to live freely and die.

"I-... Why are you doing this?" 

"Once there was this girl... She was born with one purpose, similar to you, to be a weapon. Fortunately, in the end, she manages to live freely the way she wanted and die," Ichigo reminiscences about Mash.

"... Does she have a family?"

"I was her family."

With that Kon looked up to Ichigo, a warm smile on her face. Kon realized that he was crying.

"And I wish to give you the same thing as her. What do you say Mod Soul?"

"Kon. My name is not Mod Soul, it's Kon."

"Nice to meet you too, Kon."

 

 

"Say that again?" Rukia felt like she heard it wrong the first time.

Ichigo slashed a Hollow with a clean cut, "As I was saying, we're friends, siblings in fact! You don't have to worry about him screwing around, right Kon?"

"You got it!" The Mod Soul said from afar while kicking another Hollow.

"... I'm so confused."

"Don't be, it's bad for your health," Ichigo cut down the last one for today, "By the way, Kon how are you going to give my body back?"

"I think I can spit myself out."

They all fell silent for a few seconds, imagining Ichigo's body convulsed so she spat a tiny green pill voluntarily. Only Rukia frowned at said thought at how gross it is.

"Suit yourself. I've done worse," Ichigo shrugged. She needs to find a better method for the Soul-ejecting process, "I think we're done"

From behind, someone tapped a cane on the head of Ichigo's body and a green pill form came out. Ichigo's view feels like slow-motion with the sudden alert. She knows this familiar sense from being watched over by this kind of presence. This is the guy who had been watching the day she met Rukia for the first time. An assassin. She swiftly grabbed the green pill before it touched the ground, faster than the assassin, and points out her sword at him.

Ichigo is used to being watched over by the shadows, it gives her a firsthand experience of how she can differentiate which Assassin she can trust and which Assassin she cannot trust. While the Hassan entrusted themselves to be her bodyguard, this one is not.

"Whoa, whoa, stand down, we're not here for a fight, we just came here for the Mod Soul," He holds his hands up in defense.

The man-- The assassin, looked so unassuming with his coming-out-from-a-bathhouse fashion. Most of his clothes are green and a striped bucket hat is on his head. Because of the shade created by the hat, Ichigo could not see the assassin's eyes. Over his green clothes is a black haori with a diamond pattern on its end. His murder weapon has to be his walking cane, it is a shikomizue (a sword cane). After all, what is an assassin without their trusty blade of death?

When Ichigo noticed the assassin's blond hair under his hat and how a lock of it split between the bridge of his nose. The hairstyle reminded her of... Ki--

"He's right Ichigo, I know him," Rukia confirmed.

"Ah, the one who gets you the toy candy," Ichigo supposes there is an official goods leasing place where Soul Reaper that is on duty can buy supplies for their job.

The assassin playfully pouted, "You make it sound like I sell some shady goods."

He freaking pouted while not feeling threatened at all with the blade being shoved at his face!

"You are shady. Ichigo put the sword down," Rukia started to think that Ichigo is being weird for being so guarded.

No, he can kill me. But Ichigo complied. She had to trust Rukia's judgment on this one.

The assassin came with two children and a tall dark man in a dreadlock. They are his employees. The young ones are carrying stuff that is twice their weight, a gun-like weapon, and something long covered in sealing calligraphy. The tall dark man is the most chiseled man Ichigo has ever seen, even Chad is still in the lean area. The man gave her an impression of a pro wrestler.

"The Mod Soul, miss," The assassin opened his palm, asking for Kon.

Peh, miss. Ichigo had a feeling that the assassin knows her actual name. She refused and kept Kon even more secure in her arms.

"We're keeping it Urahara, you don't have any responsibility to recover it since you're working outside the law," Rukia came for Kon's defense.

Ichigo noted the man's name. Urahara...?

Urahara, with his eyes shadowed by his hat, looked into the exchange between Ichigo and Rukia, "If that's what you decide, then my side can only play dumb. I can't help if troubles come with it."

"I'm getting used to trouble by now," Rukia waved him off.

Ichigo watches them away, one of the children, a red-haired boy is complaining about not jumping into action. Urahara gave her a polite tip of his hat before excusing himself in a blur.

 

"Thanks, Rukia."

"You have a lot to make it up for me today," Rukia huffed though her voice have no hint of annoyance.

"Kon says thanks too."

"Is that so."

 


 

Ichigo was starting to think that her homeroom teacher is spiritually aware of Karakura in general. She had been skipping a lot of classes and it seems her teacher did not inform her father of her frequent absence. Not like her marks are bad or anything. It is just that, she assumes as soon she got home, Isshin will scold her for being lax in her education. It may be a slap on the wrist but at least he pays attention. Nothing happens. Nothing happens except for his usual antics of trying to roundhouse her as soon she was opening the front door which she easily avoided. 

Strange. Ever since she met Rukia, her father had been less attentive to her daily life. Did he... know about her Hollow hunting activity? How?

The man cannot see ghosts. Growing up, it was always a dilemma for her and Karin. But lately, something is different around her father. His aura is becoming...stronger. Ichigo can sense heat coming out from him. A fire?

It felt like how Rukia arrived in her bedroom for the first time. She senses cold coming out from her and turns out her Zanpakutou is an ice-based ability, which she cannot use because of the incompatibility.

Is her father becoming more spiritually sensitive?

Ichigo tried to not think too much about it. In any case, she finally got her phone!

It is a red flip phone, there is a digital clock on the upper case, circular edges, and the center buttons reminded her of a game console. Considering that she used to operate a touchscreen and holographic device in Chaldea, it feels like traveling back in time, which she is... Technically. Time travels make everything convoluted.

Ichigo took out the post-it notes which contain Merlin's email and told Rukia that she went to the roof, bringing Kon with her. He is temporarily placed into a lion doll Rukia found in a trash can which she washed thoroughly in a washing machine.

No spreading of unwanted bacteria. Not in this house!

 

Merlin's email, Luv.magimari, it's not the most narcissistic word Ichigo ever read. Shakespeare and Anderson make theirs as disturbing as possible, if not thespian.

"Okay, what should I write to him?" A simple hello or a friendly insult.

 

From Ichigo,

To Merlin: 

Yo, the new phone also your cape are ugly

 

"Heh, real mature me," Ichigo snickered.

 

From Merlin,

To Ichigo:

:( why do you have to be so rude, also FINALLY! 

So, what's up????????

 

From Ichigo,

To Merlin:

I offered someone as a familiar, but haven't done the contract thingy 

 

From Merlin,

To Ichigo:

WHAT!? DO IT! I WANT TO MEET THEM! 

 

From Ichigo,

To Merlin:

ok, see you soon!

 

"Kon, come over." Kon obediently sat beside Ichigo, "When I offer you to be a familiar, there are a few things that you have to understand. First, I am a mage, a poor excuse but still one, we dawdle in the art of magecraft and I'm not talking about Kidou."

Ichigo holds out her hand, and chants nothing, a ball of fire manifested. Kon knows a lot of strong Soul Reaper does not need to chant the incantation for Kido but this one looks different. He watched Ichigo then close her palm, the fire froze and falls with a thump on the roof tile.

"Second, a familiar is an extension of a mage, most treated as merely a tool. They are traditionally created with leftover thoughts inserted into a dead body, if other mages ever found your existence, an intelligent being with an independent mind, I'll say they hit a jackpot and I'm not exaggerating if they dissected you."

"...So, what’s exactly you're going to do?" Kon was a bit disturbed by the topic of the conversation, yet he has zero understanding of it.

"I'm...binding you to... me? My body? My soul? I don't quite get the theory."

Then why is she doing it if she barely understands what it is? Is this the bad luck that Ichigo talking about? "Okay, so you can do that because you're a mage?"

"Yes, someone shows me how to do it," Ichigo nodded.

Someone? Who? "Didn't you say that you're a poor excuse of one?"

"A poor excuse is an insult for those who didn't follow the traditional way, at least in Mage Association's view. Naturally, they saw me as a heretic," Don't care. Ichigo did not plan to get intertwined with the Association either, they are a bunch of troublesome people, and their kindness mostly has a double meaning. They are human but want to be something inhuman, "If I tell them that I want to make you my familiar, while at the same time treating you like a friend and family, they won't get it."

"They sound very prideful."

"Tell me about it," Ichigo huffed, imagine a ten-year-old child with a sadistic personality but they let it slide because she came from that kind of family. Normal people will outright be said that the kid mentality is troubled.

"... So, I still have my freedom as a living being?"

"Yep, don't worry even if I die, you won't. Your existence is your own.”

Kon was taken aback by that statement, "You think you're going to die?"

"To be a Magus is to walk with death, it is what it is," Ichigo said the famous Magus motto. 

Kon hesitated for a bit. Then his face filled with determination and he held out his doll hand, "I accept."

 

Notes:

Magic and Magecraft are different. Magic is capable of its own 'mysteries', Ichigo actually has a very loose understanding of them (being lazy). Her train of thought is mostly 'is this magecraft? Is this magic?' in a 'is this a pigeon?' meme. She can't help but her brain practically halted when someone tries to explain, 'no that's not magic, that is bla, bla, bla...' and Ichigo just like 'okay noted'.
Merlin: Magic? Magecraft? Just hit as hard as you can, it'll be over faster!

Ichigo's phone is Naoto Fukusawa's W11K cell phone.

Chapter 5: Ambient Amber, Clinging Rain

Summary:

"You're incredibly mature for your age"
"Thanks, it's the trauma."

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

It tickles! Just like how Fou loves kneading Ichigo's face when she is on a particularly lazy day, not wanting to get from bed before some Servant with an equivalent of a housewife hauls her up. But Fou could not talk or have a high-pitched male voice... Wait a minute, it cannot be!

"Kon?!" She woke up abruptly and grabbed the strange creature in front of her.

Ichigo was not sure why Kon could join her in Avalon. He is a Familiar, sure, but they do not share consciousness. Also, he looks like a cross between a squirrel and a rabbit, with red ruby on his forehead, amber-colored, and sporting three tails. This shape of a creature looked familiar...

"How curious, he's turning into a Carbuncle," Fray said, crouched beside Ichigo.

Kon screamed at Fray's appearance, no doubt since the man was like a dark being lingering around in a pretty garden. The now Carbuncle scurried away, perching at Ichigo's other shoulder, peeking through some of her uneven spiked hair.

"Oh, my he's cute!" Merlin came and crouched from the other side, examining Kon with such intensity.

"Who are you and where are we?!" Kon panicked. 

"Dude, you're screaming through my ear, and calm down they're my friends," Ichigo playfully flicked the Familiar in the nose.

Kon fell onto the flowery ground of Avalon, only to be swooped by Merlin who is exclaiming how fascinating and cute he is while spinning in a circle. It was a sight to see and Kon looks ready to barf.

"So, Carbuncle?" Ichigo decided to chat with Fray.

"Yes, they are essentially a familiar that can be summoned. Some say they are a Guardian of Dreams. I'm not sure either how is this possible."

"A miracle," Ichigo cannot help but think of that. An act of True Magic.

She decided that is enough of spinning, she snatch Kon and set him down, and the Carbuncle let out puking noises. After he has done it, he is throwing profanity and launches himself at Merlin, trying to claw the Magus's face. Just like Fou did a long time ago. How nostalgic.

Ichigo was wondering where Yuki is, she found Rukia's Zanpakuto spirit somewhere near Merlin's tower, holding a yellow lily.

"I wonder what's this flower means."

"Yellow lilies can have a lot of meaning, but there was once an ancient sage who told me that it's her personal favorite. The reunion was her interpretation," Ichigo watched as Yuki let go of the flower.

"Something is wrong... I shouldn't be here," Yuki turned to Ichigo, expression filled with mirth, "Lady Rukia's power is not coming back."

 

With that statement, it was morning already.

 


 

"This meeting is to decide tomorrow's duties. Since the chairman is me, I have the final say in everything!" Isshin boasted.

Currently, the Kurosaki family is gathering at the dining table, Ichigo is not listening, Karin voiced her disagreement with her father, but mellowed out after being assigned, to the staff director. Yuzu gets to be the lunch staff, as usual, and Ichigo falls as the regular staff. She never agrees or disagrees to be anything in this 'meeting' after all. After taking a bath, she gets back to her bedroom.

"That sounds fun. Are you skipping school tomorrow to have a picnic with your family?" Rukia asked.

"... It's the anniversary of my mother's death," That broke the mood rather quickly. Rukia tried to apologize, but she cut her from doing it, "That's okay Rukia, although...," Ichigo's expression was empty, "I might have to start to consider the possibility that my mother was murdered by a Hollow."

If she never met Rukia, Ichigo would find out late about Karakura city filled with Hollows. At first, she thought they were afterlife beasts that only exists in the past, turns out, they constantly existed throughout the histories.

Ichigo was not a demigod. Still, Scáthach does not care, she became the Celtic warrior's student after so many centuries of self-proclaimed retirement. One training made her so close to death as Scáthach force her to see WHY her mother died that day. Ichigo was a child who swore to protect her mother since that was what she was named for, in other words, she failed her duty. So Scáthach spouted all the words that made her into a blind rage.

 

"She's not coming back! You're not going anywhere with blaming yourself!" Scáthach hit Ichigo with Gáe Bolg, breaking the other spear that was used to block, "So quit with your bratty attitude and get up!"

What a coincidence, it was raining too, just like the day when her mother died. Covered in mud, and with injuries all over her body, Ichigo gritted her teeth and charged again with nothing but a broken weapon.

 

That is when Ichigo realized that her mother will be so disappointed in her daughter to shroud herself in guilt, it is a turning point in her life, and she should not linger on it. All she can do now was to remember her mother's kindness in her heart, for life is still a long road to come.

"You know your mother was killed by a Hollow?"

"It can take the appearance of a defenseless young girl, I don't know its real appearance and I intend to find out."

Who said Ichigo is going to have a day off?

 

Ichigo allows Rukia in ghosting her on the anniversary day. The sun was incredibly bright, though she knows this type of heat, is going to rain because the air humidity is quite high. It made her hands clammy, which is why she hates this type of weather. Ichigo chooses to walk at the far back as they hike the steep hill. Isshin is starting his antics by walking on a handstand, trying to encourage his younger twin daughters, mostly Yuzu, to be able to bust through any obstacle that comes their way.

She began listing what should she tell her mother today. Chaldea? Rukia? Kon? Wow, there is a lot to talk about.

They finally arrive at the cemetery. Pouring water at the gravestone of Masaki Kurosaki, lighting incenses, offering food and flowers, and giving prayers. When it was Ichigo's turn to share, her family always left her alone to give her some space to speak with her mother. Everyone knows that Ichigo was the most affected by Masaki's death. How she cannot be, she watched her mother die before her eyes.

"Mom, it's been too long... Way too long. Despite making a lot of friends, fighting for the Fate of the World is making me cannot come to visit you. All of those Singularities and Lostbelts... Sorry for being an unfilial child," Ichigo scratched her not-itchy neck for feeling awkward, "I came back safely, don't worry. Strange that all my scars from battles are gone though. It's almost like the World itself trying to convince me that the whole experience is only a dream, which I know is not since I got a memento. Leave it to St. Georgios for taking a lot of photos of our journey. Oh, I finally found the kind of guy I like; they have to be tall, dark, and shady, their coats billowing from the winds. You can be jealous of me for my first kiss is Edmond Dantès. That's right, the Count of Monte Cristo is my first kiss!"

Ichigo kept continuing her story enthusiastically. Telling her mother that she would have loved Mash as if she was her own daughter if they met; How Dr. Roman, turns out to be Solomon, the King of Magic himself, and sacrifices himself for the world; epic showdown at the Temple of Time and punching Goetia till she passed out. Telling how Scáthach is a damn good teacher if not a little bit overkill since she cannot blame her for being Celtic, how awesome Da Vinci's inventions were, and the Shadow Border; the Nautilus reborn to roam the Space of Imaginary Numbers.

She kept on going until her throat is hoarse.

"I actually have a diploma from another world too, can you believe it!" Ichigo coughed a few times and grab her bottle of water from her bag, "Sorry, but there's so much I want to tell you! I don't think one day will be enough..." Her expression turned somber, "One thing I learned is that... I can finally forgive myself, this stubborn daughter of yours has to get beat to the inch of her life until she can get through it. All life is precious. And just like how I watch Soul being reincarnated, I hope you find happiness in your new life too, Mom."

Then she heard that most annoying sound made by her father blasted chicken whistle. God, once Ichigo found where he hid that thing, swore she will destroy it into pieces. 

"Anyway, there's the cue for us to head back. Oh, I almost forgot about the beautiful dawn I saw at the Edge of the World, it was the most beautiful light I have ever seen... You would love the colors!" Ichigo places her forehead in front of her mother's headstone, "Thank you for everything you have done for me. Whatever legacy you left for me, I will carry it and I'll make sure to share it with my sisters. Until next time. And please... Watch over us."

 

Rukia was sitting on a higher ground where she can see Ichigo crouching in front of her mother's grave. Kon came out of the backpack she carried, clearly boredom from being inside too long.

"I said not to come out until I call you."

"Give me a break, it's hard to breathe in there," Kon complained.

"You breathe?" The last time Rukia checked, Kon is still a doll.

"Is Ichigo serious about not laying low today, it's her mother's death anniversary after all?"

Rukia truly appreciates that Ichigo did not choose to take a day off from slaying Hollow. But for an occasion like this should not the redhead considers a little bit of a break? Grieving and at the same time staying vigil. Rukia knows that those are not a good combination. Almost too well.

"It's Ichigo's choice. I too need to stay nearby when a Hollow appears, or we'd be late dealing with it, this is also my job."

Kon crossed his plushy hands, "You know Nee-san, you'll lose friends when you think about nothing but work."

Rukia fell silent over that.

 

"Geez, quit crying like a crybaby when this day comes around, we're already eleven," Karin said to Yuzu.

"I know... I understand, but-" The lighter-haired twin cried even louder.

Karin sighed, their father already blowing the whistle, signs that it is time to go. She however spotted a little girl over a cliff with cropped black hair, wearing a white shawl. Is that girl suicidal or something?

"Hey, what are you looking over that cliff for?" 

"You...can see me?" The little girl said almost too dimly.

Oh, a ghost then, "Yeah, I can see you but don't tell anyone-"

"You can hear me too. Excellent! you must be tasty!"

Karin felt a dawning horror in her stomach, it has an aura of a monster. There is something behind the girl, a white bone mask, its teeth grinning wickedly, and dark fur covering the body.

"Karin, what's wrong?" Yuzu approached her sister who shivering in fear.

"YUZU RUN!"

 

Ichigo stopped in her tracks, sensing Karin and Yuzu's spiritual presences fluctuate in fear. Something near them felt manic and deranged. She runs as fast as she can in her sister’s direction, as soon as she saw that little girl who stood beside a riverbank on that once upon a rainy day with hairy monsters behind her, the thing that killed her mother, magic circuits blaring in command. Ichigo brought up her right finger in a shooting manner.

"GANDR!"

It stunts the monster, freeing Yuzu who is being choked by its tendril, Ichigo catches her sister in time while doing a spinning enhanced kick at the same time. It did not tumble far, since it is heavier than any previous Hollows she ever fought. If she had not cast strengthening, that would have broken her leg.

 

Rukia heard the loud boom, mentally glad that Ichigo had gotten there first. The order came in late from Soul Society. She is so going to report this negligence!

 

When she finally arrives at the scene, Kon already popping out from the backpack to support his master. They have never seen Ichigo look so angry before, eyes glinted dangerously at the Hollow in front of her.

"Sorry, the order came in late!" 

"Forget about that! We need to act quickly. Kon takes over my body and gets my sisters to safety!" Ichigo commanded.

Rukia prepped Karin up from the ground, to get her into a piggyback. Kon puking out his green pill form, Ichigo quickly separates herself from her body, pocketing Kon's doll body into her jeans as the familiar takes over Yuzu.

"Nee-chan wait-" Karin tried to speak with her older sister.

"Not now!" Ichigo guarded up her sword in a hurry when the Hollow charged up at her, holding down those attacks with all of her strength. Hate-filled eyes thrown at her enemy, "So, this is what you look like, nothing but a nasty imp!"

"Be careful Ichigo! His code is Grand Fisher, he's been eluding Soul Reapers for the last fifty-four years!" Rukia shouted.

"Damn you Soul Reaper I will not let you take away my prey!" Grand Fisher growled.

"Try me asshole!"

 

Grand Fisher jumps away, his hair elongated, shooting in every direction. Ichigo gets into an iai stance, sending a concentrated slash of energy that manages to cut half of the hairs, Grand Fisher evades the next one mid-air. It is enough to distract him as he realized too late when she jumped behind him, catching him with both of her legs and wrestling him to a nearby cluster of trees. Ishtar taking down Lahmu back in Babylonia was a great move, glad Ichigo got inspired by it.

The impact is strong enough to create a small crater, breaking some trees and it became a zone where Ichigo and Grand Fisher have their brawl with all their might. The Hollow has way too many tricks, he regenerates every limb Ichigo's cut off, thus making the Soul Reaper have a low opening to land a big hit.

"I must say you're yet the toughest one I have ever encountered; tell me Soul Reaper you seem to recognize one of my lures, but I don't remember seeing you."

Ichigo cut off a limb that barely grazed her head, while at the same time cursing inwardly at the Hollow's ego, at least he is smarter than the bombing minion one.

"Why don't you search in that tiny brain of yours," She chucked a wood log at Grand Fisher in annoyance.

Grand Fisher easily grabs the wood with his wide arm, Ichigo sees it as an advantage to dash forward, however, swinging her sword in a strong swing only to be caught by the Hollow's teeth. Logically, she will let go of the sword, switching to ranged attacks, except Grand Fisher's other arm is ready to strike at her way too fast at her left side, considering it is her blind spot. It stopped a few millimeters from Ichigo's midsection before claws sprouted out from the dull fingers, effectively stabbing her and blood seeping out from the wound.

Blood dribbled from Ichigo's mouth. She slumped to the ground, clenching her wounds to stop the bleeding, as she was trying to heal them, the Hollow kicked her in the face. The sky is getting darker, she cannot help but stare at the sky. The humidity in the air kept rising.

 

 

Karin was awake in the local temple around the cemetery, she is seeing Ichigo. No...she swore she saw two of them this noon, her older sister ate a green pill and a black-garbed version of her with a sword came out, immediately fighting the monster. Was all those a dream?

"Karin, you're awake." Not-Ichigo smiled. Kon was in awe after Ichigo makes him her familiar, he can use Ichigo's voice without forcing the vocal chord, "I found you and Yuzu asleep on the hill, this outing seems to warn you out."

"I was sleeping?" For some reason her brain fought the statement, telling her that was not true.

"Yeah, I'll call dad, just rest more." 

Kon gets out of the temple and rubs the body at the brow area. How does Ichigo knit her eyebrows together all day, this is exhausting.

"Kon stays here, I'm going to help Ichigo."

Kon grabs Rukia's hand, shaking his head in refusal, “No I’m going with you, Ichigo needs her body when she’s done!”

Rukia was ready to berate him, only to be left first as the familiar set out. Does Kon inherit Ichigo's penchant for leaving first just by inhabiting her body?

 

 

Grand Fisher spat out the sword, "Ah, I see why I could create your mother's body," His lure takes the form of Ichigo's mother, "You see, when I use my claw, I can dig out memories and make the copy of some loved ones. You poor thing, I wasn’t trying to eat your mother, I was trying to eat you! Because children are the best meal!"

Ichigo saw Rukia and Kon at the upper hill, she held up her hand, signaling them not to interfere. From Grand Fisher's view, it is as if Ichigo was going to set her final moments felt poetic. Make sense, she was losing blood faster than closing the wound. She got up anyway, and seeing her mother in front of her, make her stagger a bit.

"I... Had enough!" Ichigo spat angrily. Her spits mixed with her blood, "Mom, I said my forgiveness, but it seems you are still trapped somewhere."

"Hoooo, planning your revenge little girl come and get it then~" Grand Fisher wiggles his lure, taunting Ichigo with her mother.

Ichigo was not affected by the honorless display, instead, she smirked when she felt water starting to fall from the sky.

"Revenge? As much as how tempting that is, this is already beyond revenge," Ichigo can feel the occasional pattern of rain at the top of her head. It does not take long until it became a heavy downpour, "You tried to devour my sisters. You made this personal!" As she stomped the ground. A conjuration of ice started to creep, "Don't you remember Grand Fisher, the day you killed my mother it was raining too."

That's why Ichigo used to hate the rain. It was a reminder of her saddest moment for her. Today, that thing has to change.

"Isa."

When Ichigo said the Ice Rune steam is coming out of her mouth. Every drop of water around started to cumulate together, forming multiple chunks of ice shards. It does not stop there. The shape of the shards elongated and became much finer until they had the shape of swords.

Ichigo did not forget to stop her bleeding by freezing her wound.

Grand Fisher panicked at the display and tried to escape, only to find himself trapped by the creeping ice she conjured before. He keeps trying to pull himself free to no avail. Every time he breaks the creeping ice that covered his body, a new creeping ice trapped him in a much faster tempo, not to mention more biting. He starts to shiver because of the cold.

“What did you do?! Let me go!”

“Why should I?" Ichigo said blankly, "Go twirl your lure in front of me again, see how that trick works now."

"You bitch!"

"Oh yes, I am a bitch. A bitch who can freeze moisture by simply arranging Runes,” Ichigo held up her palm for demonstration. An ice sword immediately formed on her hand. She flicked her other hand that is not holding a weapon. All of the ice swords in the air turned in targeting Grand Fisher in command.

 

“And on that note, Grand Fisher," Ichigo smirked cooly, "Didn’t your mother teach you not to play with your food?”

 

Grand Fisher roared in rage, trying to charge at Ichigo by forcing himself free from the ice trap. He is free but he did not go far. All swords rain down on him, mercilessly stabbing the Hollow’s body and holding him down in place.

He tried to scream. He could not. Multiple ice swords break through his teeth and stab the inside of his throat.

Ichigo calmly walks toward him, leisurely takes up her fallen sword, and holds it up at Grand Fisher’s face, “That was my move, now what’s yours?”

She got a frustrated grunt as a reply.

“That's what I thought.”

The metal blade of a Zanpakutou flawlessly cut him down.

"Grand Fisher... I hope you too found comfort in your next life."

 

Rukia and Kon can only watch in astonishment from the edge of the upper hill.

"Wow, Ichigo is awesome!" Kon clapped his fluffy hand.

"I almost thought she was using my Zanpakutou's ability..." Rukia murmured.

She cannot believe that there was a method of Kidō that was able to replicate elemental effects as well as someone with an elemental based-Zanpakutou.

 

 

Ichigo is now back to her body, patting down Kon’s lion doll head before he retreats inside Rukia’s backpack.

“How are you feeling?” Rukia cannot help but ask after patching up the wound on Ichigo's abdomen. 

“Okay, I guess,” Ichigo was not feeling particularly vengeful, she freed her mother’s Soul and every child that Grand Fisher ate. She almost assumes the Hell Gate would appear, which never happens, does that means the Hollow was a good guy when he was alive? Sounds a little bit unfair.

No matter. What is done, it is done.

“You go back first; I still have to stay around.”

“... Ichigo?” Rukia started.

Ichigo stopped in her tracks, "Yes?"

"... Nevermind. I can ask you later."

 

The smell of petrichor is very calming indeed.

 

Ichigo walks through the cemetery, she stopped in front of her mother’s tombstone again. Simply standing in front of it not saying anything. She heard footsteps in the rain, it was her father, Isshin.

“I was wondering what’s taking you so long, it must be a long story you tell to your mother.”

Isshin gave Ichigo an umbrella, kind of too late for her who was already drenched but she takes it anyway. Then her father took out a cigar and a lighter from his pocket, he lit up the cigar and starts smoking.

Ichigo thought he stopped smoking when Karin and Yuzu were born.

Her father notices the curious looks of her daughter as he let out a puff of smoke.

“When we were still dating, your mother said my hand looked cool when I’m smoking,” Isshin flicking burnt ashes from the cigar, “Now that I think about it, that was the only time she complimented on my look. So, I only smoke on this day, just in front of her.”

Ichigo looked at the grave once more, she smiles before walking away, “Well, it’s your turn. I love you, Mom, see you next time.”

 

"Masaki... Our daughter killed the Hollow that killed you today."

 


 

"Rune and Thaumaturgy?" Rukia questioned after coming back from visiting the Kurosaki family cemetery, "Is this general for you, Magus people?"

Ichigo chuckled. Magus people. As she dried her hair with a towel.

"Thaumaturgy is, I wouldn't know if Rune a general thing to Magus. Thaumaturgy is the purported capability of a magician to work magic to perform miracles, while Rune is the letters in a set of related alphabets known as runic alphabets native to the Germanic peoples. Whether other Magus can do what I did depends fully on the Magus itself. Mind you it's not only about talent since it's useless if you don't know have knowledge. I'd say aside from being talented, you need to be ambitious too."

"Oh... It's just that, the way you control those ice, it's similar to how I use my Zanpakutou ability. The creeping ice, not the forming the swords one," Rukia said, "Back then I thought you were able to release my Zanpakutou."

"It's not like I can create an eternal winter though. Well, I have a lot of practice in control so I can able to do that," Ichigo smiled proudly, "Times that I sacrificed to hone it are well spent."

 

Notes:

Ichigo's movement when using 'spell' was inspired by Sypha Belnades of Castlevania Netflix Series. Except, there was no way Ichigo can simply Avatar her way through, in Type-Moon logic that requires a lot of firsthand preparation.

Fray can give Ichigo a signal like 'doubt' 'yes' 'no', this is limited too like he can send one signal in a day or week, no actual words since he is subdued. This is why in the first chapter he is simply '!', he meant 'yeah no, Rukia's not going to make it but he cannot tell 'you don't actually have to help her'. He can only facepalm as Ichigo became a Soul Reaper.

Chapter 6: Special Chapter: You are Kon and You Can Be More

Summary:

Kon wanted an upgrade and so Ichigo upgrades him.

Notes:

*sobs* ENDWALKEEEEEEER

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The bounty of Grand Fisher was massive! Well, big enough for Ichigo's high schooler status. Rukia just handed her a thick envelope filled with cash, and it easily covers the entire semester's worth of pocket money.

"Man, being paid it's great!" Ichigo exclaimed as lying on her bed. Rukia is out again, and probably goes to Urahara. "What should I buy with this money?"

"Ichigo, can I get a better body? It sucks being a doll!" Kon yells over the desk study.

A better body? Now that is an idea.

Ichigo took out Aevitas Retinentia, the big book- the tome she got after her catastrophic adventures, it is finally given a name, it loosely means 'memories of a lifetime. She does not open it, only checking the outside; the tome was leather-bound with parchment pages, the cover was carefully engraved in a beautiful mosaic and the edges were painted gold. This was the proof of Da Vinci's craftmanship and Ichigo owned it as personal stuff. It gives her an idea...

"Kon, do you remember turning into Carbuncle in that one dream?"

Saying it as a simple dream is an insult to Merlin's talent as a mage, even calling it a metaphor was not correct either. It was like an in-between of fantasy and reality, so perceiving the phenomenon with these words together or separately is correct too.

"Yes, why?" Kon raised one of his wooly-sewn eyebrows.

"How do you like turning into it?"

 

Ichigo searched up antique shops a lot back in the past, especially those that are in her home country. She was not sure looking for a mage-crafting material in a general antique store is safe, what if she met a magus there and it creates some altercation?

It is an opportunistic view if the owner accepts spellcaster customers too. If not, they are most likely trying to kill Ichigo on the spot.

Can she go anywhere without fighting, honestly?

And so Ichigo set out to Taitō City. She said to her family that she is going out and ran out immediately. What was she supposed to say? Hey, I am going to a neighboring city to buy magical stuff. Her sisters may know she can exorcist ghosts but not the magecraft part yet. Besides, it is Saturday, she is free to do anything.

"Rukia nee-san is going to kill us for not telling her where we are going?" Kon hissed from inside the bag.

"True, but I'm doing it anyway!" Ichigo cheers out because Rukia is not her boss.

 

Taitō is smaller than Karakura, it is the third smallest in the population of Tokyo's wards. Despite that, it's a beautiful small city; the air felt cleaner in terms of spiritual energy.

"I heard the former estate of Mitsubishi's founder is in this city," Ichigo mused.

"Do we have time to sightseeing?" Kon muffled voice said.

Ichigo smacks her bag, shutting Kon up. Thankfully, no one pays attention to the talking bag.

 

The antique shop she went into was only ten minutes' walk from the train stations, said to be one of Japan's best antique stores, not a huge place and it easily gave the vibe don't-break-anything. There is an array collection of porcelains, excellent craftsmanship of Japanese-style cupboards, and a lot more vintage wares.

"Welcome, young lady. How may I help you?"

Ichigo was greeted by a middle-aged man; he looks kind, greying hair swept back neatly, though, there is a small braid on the back head giving the impression of a Padawan. He is wearing a plain blue yukata, and the haori over it looks very expensive. The quirky part is the pattern on it moving like in real life; trees, clouds, and birds over the white fabric, swaying and gliding. Is that a Mystic Code?

"Your clothes, they're...?" Ichigo points unsurely.

The man dips his head slightly to the side, "You can see it. Are you a wizard then."

... Wizard? How odd. No Magus ever dare to call themselves with such a title, unless you are Merlin...unless also the hidden world Merlin loves to talk about, "No. I'm a spellcaster." 

"Ah, a Magus. You don't look like one and yet you can see the pattern on my haori moving," Now the store owner looking at Ichigo curiously.

"Magus can't normally see it?" 

"Maybe those with mystics eyes, but no, not normally." He took a minute before speaking again, "Since you're calling yourself a spellcaster, you don't have ties with the Association then?"

"No. I hide from them," Ichigo confirmed.

The man pulls out… a wooden stick (Just like what Merlin said!) Giving it a simple flick and everything in the whole store is flipping over. The layout is changing, turning into something more of a Showa Era store and there is a brief change of smell, it is ozone, this place smells of magic.

"My name is Noriyuki Sato and I ask you again young lady, how may I help you?" 

Ichigo stood in stun by the previous display of magic. She has mostly seen the destructive display of magic but this is incredible!

 

"So, a Wizard is not the same as Magus?" Ichigo was drinking tea that was served by Sato-san. She already explains that she needed a traditional leather-bound book, as a magical store owner, of course, he has it. He also says that the Wizards in Japan do not normally use them, there are stocks because of some hobbyists. They are imported from Europe because it is still used constantly in their wizarding community.

"The Wizarding World see the Association as violent people, we choose to distance ourselves from them," Sato-san escorts Ichigo to look around his shop, "However, each wizarding community in every country has a different approach regarding magic. So, even Wizards themselves can be as bad as Magus. Magic has no morals, people are."

True. Ichigo had known some nice Magus. Waver is one example, though his background makes his attitude make sense for not being such a striver in Magus's way. He does not come from a prominent line of magi. Sure they call him Lord El-Melloi II, but they all know that he is nothing but a regent till Reines El-Melloi Archisorte comes of age. They belittle Waver for being a piss-poor of a Magus and yet they keep him around because he is such a genius. That is how he got the moniker 'The Sherlock of the Clocktower'.

Too bad the Waver Ichigo knew is an alternate self, not a version of her world. Is he still a Magus at the Clocktower if the Holy Grail technically never happens anymore in this world?

Ichigo wishes he can meet Waver again even though he does not remember her or his body ever being borrowed by Zhuge Liang. Reines though, the vessel of Sima Yi, not so much.

Actually, maybe it is also because Ichigo is not from a line of magi (allegedly) herself, so she saw Magus's 'twisted' culture as quite extreme. That is why EMIYA is what he is, trying to be a magus while at the same time trying to be a perfectly normal good guy. It clashes horribly that he ends up as a Servant by Alaya's machination.

"When you change the layout of the store, is that real magic?" Ichigo set her attention to a moving painting of a Geisha playing koto. Perhaps Wizard has sufficient Ether to make it happen.

"We just call it magic. If I'm not wrong, in Magus's view, every magic that we do now is simply an imitation of real magic, was it not?" Sato-san takes out some keys from his yukata's sleeves. Choosing which is the correct one to open the door to the back of his shop. 

"Yes, I think there are two types of layouts in this place, when triggered, it changes accordingly." Ichigo enjoys chatting with this guy, he is so open-minded.

"Correct, I'd say you'll excel in Magical Theory class; I supposed the Magus is not wrong about it either being not real magic, we Wizards use the word very universally."

A real magic version of it will not be needing a layout, so it is flipping the fabric of reality itself. That is impossible in the Modern Age. 

Sato-san went to the back after finding the correct key. He came back with a plain brown tome and place it in front of Ichigo. "I'll tell you what, I'll sell anything for you free today if you show me what are you going to do with it." 

"I don't have to spend any of my money today?!" Ichigo gaped in shock.

"Yes! It's my first time having a Magus customer, so it's on the house. Oh, I'm sorry, a spellcaster customer."

It is still nine in the morning, so Ichigo got the time to craft it.

 

Sato-san introduced some of his magical wares, an enchanted quill that can write anything the user intended, and one of the most expensive magical items, a special magical ink that was used only to sign the official document. Magus would pay an extra million for that! The shop owner just happily provided his customer with everything she needs, no matter how expensive that is.

Ichigo creates an impromptu magus workshop, free for Sato-san to watch.

"So, what are you going to do?" Sato-san is jittering in excitement.

"Changing Kon's familiar shape," That is it. Kon's Carbuncle form at Avalon is a complicated subject.

"Really? Your familiar is this doll?" Sato-san poked Kon, the latter got annoyed and swat away the Wizard's finger, "Normally we do Transfiguration, but they're only temporary."

Transfiguration? No, focus Ichigo, she can ask questions later. A large parchment was placed on the floor, the pen dutifully draws a leyline of her design and many different types of runes. Then she poured the already measured hard materials like silver dust, beast fang, and bones. The final is a fluid that Wizarding Goblins usually buy, Ichigo recognized it as Spinal Fluid.

"Done! Kon, pill form please," Ichigo wipes her sweaty forehead.

"I'm going to be fine, right?" Kon has the right reason for being hesitant. This is all an experiment and he is the lab rat.

"Who knows, I have never done this before." 

Kon was going to retort but Ichigo's hand goes down to his throat to pull out his green pill. She places it on the center of the leyline after she got it.

"This is very impressive... I'm starting to wonder what I studied back in school, then again I'm more of a sports person," Sato-san scratches his head.

"Wizards have their type of sport?" The world is once again bigger than Ichigo thinks.

"I was in the national team of Japan's Quidditch. I was a Chaser," Sato-san seems to be very proud of it, must be a fun sport, "So, Is there a basic explanation for all of this?"

"If my theory works, Kon is going to get liquified then etched him to this book," Ichigo beckons at the tome that was written by the self-writing quill, automatically turning when the pages are full. "With the already coded books of the desired familiar shape, he can change whenever he wants."

Sato-san peeked at the book, "It looks like geometry, you are combining alchemy, arithmancy, and runes. You can be dubbed as a genius."

"That's an exaggeration, Paracelsus von Hohenheim is better than me. Alright, get ready Kon!" 

No answer. Kon rages inside the pill can only be felt by Ichigo, who grabbed a letter opened that was around and slashed her palm, triggering the Earth leylines to activate her leyline array. The crafted concoction lights up, materials accumulated around Kon as his pill form rose into the air. He is indeed turning into a liquid, that is white and bright, Ichigo held up the tome, and the liquid jumps into it and took a moment to assimilate. The tome changes shape, forming a ball that is slowly sprouting ears, a red gem on the forehead, then three tails, and finally, it is the same Carbuncle Kon.

"I DID IT!" Ichigo yells in gusto about her achievement.

"I don't know what just happened but congratulations!" Sato-san claps his hand.

 

The newly transformed Kon is checking himself, real legs, real ears, real tails, and a real body. The room has dim lighting, he can see his body pulsing with light, a beautiful amber light. He tried to run around, exploring every corner, this is freedom!

"Wow, he seems very happy," Ichigo chuckled as seeing Kon acting like a cat when given a new toy.

"By the way, when you use blood, that is seen as forbidden magic in Wizarding World," Sato-san informs.

"I assume there's some context in it? I use my blood to activate the Earth leylines."

"The Earth leylines? I don't think Wizards used those terms and you're right, there is some context, such as necromancy."

"Necromancy is impossible, you cannot bring someone from the dead, even if you do make the body move, it's not the previous body owner, just a vessel."

Ichigo saw Sato-san mouth a word that started with 'i. Then she catches a leaping Kon, he snuggles her face in pure gratitude and happiness.

"Thankyouthankyouthankyou-"

"Okay buddy that's enough, you can drool for real now," Ichigo put Kon on her shoulder, "Thank you, Sato-san, for helping to make this possible."

"Hey, I was merely curious but you're welcome, I guess."

 


 

When Ichigo got back to Karakura, it was already late noon. Finding Rukia fuming and trying to greet her with a kick, is both hilarious and terrifying at the same time. It was a cat-and-mouse game throughout the neighborhood.

"YOU ARE LUCKY THERE WERE NO HOLLOWS WHEN YOU'RE GONE! COME BACK HERE ICHIGO, LET ME EVISCERATE YOU!" Rukia tries to catch Ichigo while trying to fire her Kido.

"I told you, she'll get angry," Kon pops out from the bag.

"Meh, it was worth it."

 

Notes:

This chapter also references a future crossover that I have been planning, though some of the 'needed' characters have not appeared.

I was searching antique shops in Japan and Taito city came up a lot. In the wiki, Karakura is said strategically near Yokohama, so I search the train station stop from Yokohama to Taito, a total of 39,9 km, and pretty fast to get there by shinkansen.

Sato Noriyuki is canon; his hair was spiky back in his youth.

Does the Association know about the Wizarding World? Yes, only some people (helpful people). However, Wizards particularly knew them out of wariness.

Chapter 7: Special Chapter II: It's Me, I am The Bad Spirit

Summary:

Ichigo decided to deal with this shenanigan with a panache

Notes:

Endwalker OST trailer song is BANGING!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo does not quite understand why her father and Yuzu enjoy watching Casual Soul Realm Assault Trip. Shortens as Cazh Soul, the paranormal-psychic TV show is hosted by Don Kanonji. The guy is legit and can communicate with ghosts. However, he deals with them as if they are comic book villains. Most of the time they get antagonized rather than gaining enlightenment, like seriously she can see the ghost screaming their head out at Don Kanonji. He does not exactly receive their consent to be interviewed. Well, it will not be an interesting show without the 'crossing arm in front of the chest and BUHAHAHA' gag, especially when they got so many young audiences. 

Yuzu wanted to see ghosts, which is the main reason why she watches them, "Look! Nee-chan he really can see them, right?"

"...Yeah," Ichigo watches as Don Kanonji gets slapped by the ghost, the poor translucent hand passes through Kanonji's face which fumes the astral being even more.

"SMELLS LIKE A BAD SPIRIT!"  Don Kanonji shouts his tagline.

Ichigo drinks her newly-made tea and rolls her eyes. A bad spirit? More like a bad human. 

"Ladies and gentlemen! The next episode will be shot in Karakura town! And remember, it's live from the spot! BUHAHAHA!"

Ichigo spits out her drink. What. The. Effing!

 

Like a virus, everyone at school starts doing the show gag pose as they knew that Kanonji will be set in Karakura. Ichigo feels she was entering another whole new dimension.

"Buhahaha!" Orihime exclaimed just after Ichigo enters the class.

 

Good Lord!

 

"Ichigo-kun, you don't know this pose?"

"... Cazh Soul." Ichigo weakly answers, not wanting to disappoint the kindhearted Orihime Inoue.

"You do know! Now, let us do it together!"

If Ichigo says BUHAHAHA, it was completely soulless.

 

Ichigo mostly uses the television to watch rented DVDs, sometimes local and worldwide news. This is why she does not find the appeal in the said paranormal show. When you went around the world, provided with time travel, and beating the crap out of monsters along the way, her choices of entertainment become a bit weird. She found joy in watching three British men reviewing and crashing cars in a thousand different way manners and forgetting MythBusters, explosions are great.

So, why did she agree to watch Cazh Soul's live shooting next Wednesday? Rukia thought it will be a hot spot for Hollow hunting. Speaking like a true ghost hunter.

"What's wrong? You seem a little down." Rukia approaches Ichigo, who wants to be anywhere else rather than at Cazh Soul's shooting spot.

"I rather sleep." No one can refuse an extra sleep hour.

"What is the TeeVee show, is it a festival or something?"

"There's no TV in -Nope wrong question. Do you know the box that lets out pictures and noises down the living room?" Right, silly of Ichigo for assuming there is a television in Soul Society, "Most show is pre-recorded before aired, in this case, shoot straight from the place."

"Air? Does it fly? Why would anyone shoot it? Is there a bad guy?" Rukia is genuinely confused.

"It doesn't fly... don't you have something similar to a box that can capture moments in your life?" How backwater is Soul Society anyway?!

"Ah, there's this standee box that my family owns, every time we press the button, smokes come out from it."

"A late 19th-century studio camera?!" Ichigo gawks, "That thing belongs in the museum!"

 

The shoot is at an abandoned hospital. Thanks to it, for the first time in the history of Karakura city, the grim place is finally crowded. The reason why it was abandoned was because of a heavy fire in 1999 and the one who set it on fire was the owner's eldest son. 

Ichigo rubbed her ears hearing the ghost cry. He sounds more like a Hollow rather than a human. The owner's eldest son's ghost is screaming about his greediness, why he should be the one who inherits it; not his younger brother, buying many expensive kinds of stuff with the hospital profit and many more. His body is chained to the building like he refused to let the place go, and on his chest was a half-formed Hollow hole.

"Wow, I thought he at least passed on. Didn't think he became an earthbound spirit,"

"You know what an earthbound spirit is?" Rukia says with a little bit of surprise.

"Earthbound spirits are quite a universal term, cases like people tried to kick them out of their houses or those who cling on people." Or they cumulated together to become a tiny assassin, who does not like to wear pants and calls Ichigo their 'Mommy'.

A sound of countdown was announced, Don Kanonji arrives by jumping out of a helicopter, parachute on his back -Holy crap, what was the budget of this show? - while shouting,

 

"SPIRIIIIIITS AAREEE WITH YOOOOOU!"

 

Ichigo cringes when people especially shout the 'YOU' part together with him.

Mash descending with her new armor in Russia was way cooler though.

 

Rukia is mesmerized by the whole act, "What a swanky way to make an entrance!"

Who said swanky nowadays?!

"Shouldn't we exorcise the ghost though?" Ichigo inquires.

"It would take months or years to become a Hollow, he won't turn in an hour. Besides, it's way too exposed in the open, people can get hurt, we can do it after the festival..."

 

Don Kanonji approaches the chained ghost, saying this one is bad, smells bad, this bad, that bad...

Hey, you know what else is bad Kanonji? Your damn costume!

 

"Unless no one aggravates the hole, it's still a long way down before he became a Hollow-"

"TAKE MY SUPER SPIRITS STICK, I'LL FINISH YOU IN ONE BLOW!"

... Don Guy jams his phony staff at the ghost holey chest.

 

Ichigo facepalms by looking at the proceeding as people keep cheering. Oh, the thing she does now after saving the universe from calamity. She did not get paid enough to deal with any of this!

Don Kanonji chants his exorcism spell which is just gibberish; keeps stabbing the ghost with the phony staff, backs away, declares his ultimate spell, and stabs the ghost even harder. 

"Congratulation, Rukia. You just jinx this day into a funky night." Ichigo's tone was filled with sarcasm.

"What is that suppose to -"

The ghost let out an agonizing cry. Funky night indeed, chains breaking, flailing, and God forgot to put on a disco ball up in the sky. No, the stars and moon did not count.

Ichigo is nudged by the back of her head by something made out of wood. Sigh, there are two types of sticks in this place: the one that is useless and the useful one. Useless is when someone jams into an astral being they barely understand, and useful is the one wielded by a shady shopkeeper who may be an assassin.

"You better go Kurosaki-san and don't worry with your body, Tessai will hold on to it." Kisuke Urahara waves his fan with a motion of 'shoo'.

Ichigo twitches violently. The nerve of this guy. She grabs the fan and throws it at Don Kanonji's face, apparently hard enough to keep the medium stumbled away from the ghost. 

Urahara stares at his hand which is now fanless, "Rude."

"Asshole." Ichigo crosses her arm.

 

Their attention is drawn when the ghost exploded. He is... gone?

"He didn't become a Hollow?" Ichigo questions to anyone willing to answer.

"No. The moment soul becomes a Hollow, it dissipates and, recomposes into one elsewhere. But this is an earthbound spirit, he will appear around here." Rukia sweats.

Don Kanonji cheers on his success. The left cheek was a bit bruised, courtesy of the fan, but as a professional, he ignores it. However, in the eyes of people that able to see the supernatural clearly, white particles begin to gather upward, and on top of the hospital's roof was a Hollow.

"Ichigo over there! You -where did she go?"

Ichigo is nowhere to be seen. Rukia turns to Urahara; the shopkeeper shrugs as if he is an innocent man.

The Hollow goes toward Don Kanonji; an inch before he struck him, a sword blocks him by the teeth. In front of him was a figure of black, with a singed white fabric covering the head.

"Who- who are you?" Kanonji stutters in fear.

"DON KANONJI, DOTH THEE REALIZES WHAT HAS THEE DONE!" The 'figure' bellows.

 

"There- there is a fabric flying?!"

Once again, the crowd goes into chaos. They are urging Don Kanonji to tell what he saw, but the medium host was so lost that he cannot say anything.

"Is that Ichigo?" Rukia balks.

"My, my..." Urahara pulls a new fan from his haori sleeve.

 

"Thee claimeth to sendeth this apparition to heaven, but instead thee condemn that gent to beest a demon!" Ichigo wonders how long she must keep this ruse, the cloth she found inside one of the hospital rooms is super dusty. Cough.

"I did?! Wait, please tell me who you are?" Don Kanonji fixes his pose to sit politely.

"I am the Grim Reaper! Hitherto punisheth to those who are dareth interfere with the flow of life!" 

 

"We should have brought popcorn!" Urahara bounced in glee.

"You are way too enjoying this," Rukia rubbed her throbbing temple.

 

"BEHOLD! THIS IS THE CAUSETH OF THY MISTAKETH!" Ichigo lowers her hold, so she and the Hollow's head is in alignment. She whispers, "Keep it up, you're doing great."

"Gwargh?"

Ichigo grabs the Hollow from behind by the mid-section and does the Heimlich maneuver.

Don Kanonji gasped in awe, "Grim Reaper-sama wrestle the demon!"

Not that most people can see it, but they can see the crater caused by the move at least. The Hollow is lying on his stomach groaning in pain; good thing he is new at being a Hollow and Ichigo did not give him a chance to explore his power. She slashed the mask and Don Kanonji can see the ghost face that he stabbed his magic stick into. He thought he had sent him to heaven but alas it was all a mistake.

"Thee were not enlightening, thee were torturing that gent". Ichigo holds up her sword at the medium after the Hollow dispersed, "What is thy standeth in this act of tomfooleries?" 

Don Kanonji gulps. Finally, find his voice, "Most who watch my show are children, they watch my actions, and their hearts leap. When they see me stand up to evil spirits, they know what an act of courage is, to them I am a hero!"

That raises even more questions. Don Kanonji will most likely die if he fought that Hollow, so what kind of evil spirits has he dealt all these years? Judging by his expression, this was the first time he saw a Hollow. He must have been cutting chains of non-earthbound spirits then. Ichigo huffs in annoyance and lets him continue.

"I never run from evil spirit, I never run from my enemy, and to that, I am a hero!"

People were cheering him on, some even shout 'please forgive him, Grim Reaper-sama'.

What a drama. Welp, time to bail out, "Thee swear not to breaketh these chains? Thee swear no to intefereth?"

"Yes! I swear on my pride as a hero!"

Ichigo went still for a moment. His pride as a hero...

 

Don Kanonji saw the singed white fabric being thrown at him. Catches it and the last thing he heard was...

"Smile and greet thee people. Hero's duty never forgets it."

The Grim Reaper is gone. Dan Kanonji sniffed, holding the fabric as if it is the greatest gift in the world.

"THANK YOU SO MUCH, GRIM REAPER-SAMA!"

 

"Man, that guy is loud." Ichigo finally went back to her body.

"Bravo! Bellissima!" Urahara claps earnestly, "May I have your autograph, please?"

One of these days Ichigo is so going to punch that shopkeeper in the face.

 

Notes:

I was always confused about how did Don Kanonji portrays his paranormal show with joyful theatrics, I mean paranormal show in my country was downright grim, calling a lot of medium to communicate, even painting ghost. But then over in the US, paranormal shows rely on a lot of techs...

Zak Bagans: Beep once for a male, twice for a female
Ghost: *BEePBeEPBEEpBeEPbEEpBeEPbEeP*
Zak Bagans: Stop.

You can read the way Ichigo says 'Grim Reaper' here is as 'Gurimu Ripa'. As in the romaji way.

Chapter 8: It Was (Never) About You Eins

Summary:

"I hate you,"
"I don't care."

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Rukia's phone seems to be malfunctioning; the navigation has shown many spots where Hollows will appear, but when they get there, said Hollows was never there.

Ichigo did not mind the waste of energy though, there is too much going on in her head lately. Yuki had been very somber about her master not getting her powers back, which is strange; Rukia's powers should have been recovering since the day after she transferred them to Ichigo. It has been two months, and nothing had changed; because in a way, the Soul Reaper power aspect should have been less effective. Something is wrong, she can feel it.

"Rukia you need to get that fixed if this keeps going on." Ichigo sheathed her sword after performing an exorcism. Soul Reaper calls them Soul Burial -Konsō- but she particularly loves saying exorcise because it rhymes with exercise. Get it? Like, exercise the demon... Yeah, she mostly kept that joke to herself.

"It shouldn't be like this; did I get coned?" Rukia scratched her head.

"Or maybe there's another Soul Reaper around, you cannot work alone, right?"

"It's not like that, we are assigned per district..." Rukia trailed off.

One district per one Soul Reaper? That is way too underemployed for a military organization. Ichigo has a lower-than-low knowledge of Soul Society, so she cannot judge their military system, but there should be a team to handle threats like this. The basic example was Ichigo trekking singularities with several servants, strategizing their different abilities in the field; Shielder is their greatest defense, Saber and Lancer take care of offense and Archer is their sniper. In a way, Rukia should not be alone handling Karakura City, unless there is an assigned timeframe...

"Rukia, how long you should have stayed for work here?" Ichigo asked with curiosity.

"One month."

One month? ONE MONTH?! "That means you overstayed!"

"Well, if I didn't lose my power, I can come back just fine."

Come back just fine?! It is way past that!

Her boss should have sent someone to check! Is Rukia dead or not, collect the dog tags or something -Wait, does use Soul Reaper have dog tags? Where is the common sense in all of this?! Surely, Rukia's family... GASP! FAMILY! Souls can reproduce?! Ichigo realized common sense was non-existent from the start.

 

Mid-term exams were easy for Ichigo, she used to get shoved with knowledge down her throat after all. Still, she does not want to draw any attention for suddenly being 'too smart', even though before Chaldea, she was not exactly a dumb kid either. Nah, smart is overrated, she cheats by knowing everything beforehand.

"Ranking fifteen? Since when you are that diligent in study?!" Keigo was aghast at seeing the class ranking.

"I did it on purpose, you know because my name is Ichigo." 

"You place yourself in rank fifteen for a pun?!"

"I am horrible that way," Ichigo smirked.

Ichigo glanced at the name on the top of the list. Uryuu Ishida. She knew that name because his father, Ryuuken Ishida, was the one who her father usually calls for clinic backup, all patients with serious injuries will be transferred to the Karakura Hospital, where the man worked as a doctor and director. Ichigo remembered receiving birthday presents from Ryuuken Ishida before his mother passed away. Masaki often voiced her disappointment for Ryuuken, being never at her children's birthday parties. He never personally hand the gifts, only sent them to their house. It always sounded like a simple complaint as if there is a mutual understanding of why they never see each other.

Hold on, Ichigo thought something was weird about her mother; she always wraps presents in winter as it is for Christmas presents. Japanese in general did not have what is called Christmas spirit, it is so unlike Westerners who gather around with their huge families for Christmas Eve and New Year. Masaki did it out of respect for her foreign ancestry. Though it is not like the Kurosaki children ever met their grandparents either. But Masaki made Ichigo and her sisters grow up making gingerbread houses, counting down with the Advent calendar, and chopping real pine to be decorated. 

Masaki would not be wrapping them openly in front of her children’s eyes, what is the point of making a surprise if anyone knows what the gift is, it was not in done December, it was in November. That particular present is always wrapped in white paper with a blue bow. Ichigo often sneaks in to look at what it is, mostly high-literature books and one time is a blue skateboard, her mother laughs that 'he' always wanted one.

Masaki and Isshin would leave the house just for a day, told her to watch over her younger sisters for a bit, since they did not go for long; it was like an hour or so.

 

"It's just someone's birthday darling. We'll be back soon." Masaki pats Ichigo's head.

 

Could it be Ryuuken-san's birthday? Well, her family has to reply to the presents he always sent for the Kurosaki children's birthday. Or maybe it is not his birthday but his son's birthday. Why? What is the relationship between her family and the Ishida family? Ichigo was a little kid, her attention span was short and she only focuses on watching her sisters; never over minded her parents’ activities. They did that every year, before her mother's passing, and Ichigo never got the chance to ask. She can ask her father but every time she asks anything relating to her mother, he always jumps into his weird antics.

 

"Ichigo we need to go!" Rukia shouted from across the hallway.

"Go? Go where?" Ichigo plays it off.

Rukia gives Ichigo a look. You know where!

Ichigo complies with her employment demand. Then she sees Uryuu Ishida walking in the opposite direction, there is some brief animosity when they are passing each other. He may be smart enough to hide his spiritual energy but not his aura.

"So, he is following me..."

Let's see how long he can keep this up.

 


 

Ichigo slips into her body. Expecting it to be a bust again, someone is asking for a race, and said person is technically behind her, waiting for the perfect moment to go 'Boo! It was me all along!

Who does he think he is, an Assassin Servant? No, of course not, that is way too high for comparison.

"Trouble finding your hunt?" Uryuu Ishida comes out from behind the wall he hides. He is wearing clothes akin to a priest with a blue line forming a cross on the collar.

FINALLY. Ichigo tried not to look so exasperated. Time to put Shakespeare's acting class into play, "Uryuu Ishida?!"

They are classmates, but they never interacted with each other. To be honest, Uryuu never interacted with anyone, except in a group project.

"Kurosaki, you can see spirits, right?" He asked.

"No! It's not like such a thing can be seen." Play dumb. There is a Hollow across the neighborhood. Oh no, what to do? Woe is me.

"There is a Hollow over there." Uryuu just points in the direction where Ichigo senses it before. Followed by Rukia's phone late beeping. "You are not at that level of understanding and yet you call yourself a Soul Reaper." 

 

"Pathetic," he sneered. Ichigo mock acting the unsaid word on her head. There is a Rosary around Uryuu's wrist, it burst out energy into the shape of a bow. He set his archer stance, pulls the chain link, a blue energy arrow appears, and then he easily shot the Hollow from miles away. The presence disappeared. Ichigo saw a diagram on the back of his clothes; many Heroic Spirits speak of their existence, the Quincy Zeichen.

"What... are you?" Ichigo continues to act her surprise. Alas, poor Yorick! 

"I'm a Quincy and I hate Soul Reaper." Uryuu's eyes land on Ichigo. "Which means I hate you, Ichigo Kurosaki."

 


 

"You guys are not that surprised when I said I can see ghosts," Ichigo was having dinner, and on her table were Mash, Siegfried, Saint Martha, and David. Odd combination today. Mash is her usual companion, the other three are there first, and got the privilege to sit with their Master. With the increasing residence of Servants, some rules have been created and one of them is 'No fighting for who should sit and not sit with Ichigo'.

Sometimes herding a bunch of Heroic Spirits is like herding cats.

"Well, because I can see them too," David said. "It was quite common back then, but that's because these Dead Beings can manipulate themselves to be seen or not to be seen by anyone."

"They can choose to be invisible?" Make sense, Earth's mana saturation with the environment was high, so the ghosts get affected too.

"Yes, there is a matter of people that always can see even though the Dead already went invisible, if I'm not mistaken there used to be a group of people dedicated to killing the Dead that mutated." David plays with his food, creating a diagram of a five-pointed cross out of green beans and peas, "This is their symbol. Used to be Nomads, though at one point I gave them sanctuary in my kingdom."

"Ah, I know them too. They have existed since that long?" Martha is in wonder. Those people have existed even in the time of Jesus's ancestor himself. "Some of them became the Lord's followers, even though they did say that they have their own God. They never explain why they split, it created a lot of skirmishes back then."

"That's strange, I know them too. Funny enough I once fought with one of these people," Siegfried added, "He wasn't very nice. Gudrun especially despises his attitude and kicks him out of a tavern once."

Ichigo and Mash exchanges a look, they cannot believe this talk sprouted from a rearranged vegetable.

"Okay, so these people have existed since David's era, so on to the era of Christ, and ended up in Germany?" Ichigo summarizes.

"Yes. Jugram is his name, seems very insulted when I slay the uh... I thought it was a dragon at that time, so he challenges me to a fight," Siegfried shrugs, swallowing his chewed food, "I win."

"Why did he feel insulted?" David inquires. 

"He said that it was impossible to slay them with a regular sword."

"Regular sword? Sir Siegfried, Balmung it's not just any regular sword." Mash frowns. It is Balmung after all.

Ichigo swears she heard David scoffing at the statement 'impossible to slay with a regular sword'. Did he have a grudge against these people or something? Then his face softens very quickly.

"Not all of them are bad. I used to befriend one, though he is kind of an oddball. Instead of doing his family traditions, he opted to study other branches of magic," David smiled at the memory of his friend, "He left Jerusalem during the third year of my kingship, I never see him again. Can't blame him, he came as he goes."

"Sounds like a good friend." Ichigo comments.

David then looks at his Master in a melancholic way, humming quietly, "Yes...he is, isn't he?" And left the table after that.

The rest looks at David's retreating figure in confusion.

 


 

It was not long after several stories, Ichigo finally got the picture of Quincy Zeichen right. It would also make sense that Quincy at that time thought Balmung was simply a regular sword, even Siegfried was just a regular person crossing a regular event of those times, his history turned into a legend was simply written after. There is no internet, so nobody knew which one is a regular sword and which one is Holy. That or use it a lot of times in killing so it becomes a very effective Noble Phantasm later, like King Hasan's sword.

But none of the stories she got ever mention the reason why Quincy hated Soul Reaper, perhaps it is just Uryu's personal hatred. Was he attacked by a Soul Reaper or something?

Uryuu has talented hands. He is a member of the Handicrafts Club with Orihime. Ichigo's hands lay in the art of stealing! She does need the money, no, she wants to check Uryuu's ID card. Hey, know your enemies, you can do a lot to someone by just knowing their full name, when they were born, and their blood type. Right. Because of their skirmishes last night, they confront each other with deep silent grudges, it was pure acting in Ichigo's case though.

So Ichigo is being bitch on purpose at Uryuu by bumping into him twice in the hallway, just so she can grab and give back his wallet. She checked his student ID; his blood type: AB; and his birthday were written as November 6th.

"November and an exchange of presents, huh? You are the mysterious birthday person," Ichigo quirks her lips.

 

Uryuu calmly walks home that day, he did not realize he passes someone with the only person in school who has such hair.

"On November 6th, 1996. You received a blue-colored skateboard as a birthday present."

He stops when he heard it and looked around aimlessly, "Kurosaki?" 

"Over here."

Uryuu jolts in surprise, finding Ichigo suddenly at his right. Shame, she expected him to shriek. "What do you want?" He grits out.

What bar this guy for being friendly in public anyway? "What do I want? You know you should have known about my reputation. When someone hates me they usually pick a fight with me." 

"You wanted a fight?" Uryuu sneers.

Dude, can you just chill?

"No, but you do." Ichigo waits for his denial, he is not. Oh ho, so he does want a fight. "So, what's your counter?"

"I didn't notice your presence just now." Uryuu states, "I know you have unusually high spiritual power since the day I stepped into this school."

"High? Yes. Power? No, I borrowed this, but I guess I don't need to tell you how I got it." Ichigo smirks making Uryuu's mood even worse, "Should I indulge you that I didn't know that you're a Quincy until I saw the symbol on your back."

To be honest, Ichigo wonders why there were not any Quincy Servants, if they dedicated their lives to fighting Hollow, some people should have remembered them as a hero. Another reason was the catalyst for their summoning, which means no Magus ever got any Quincy relics either. 

It is like they never exist in the world. No record of World history ever jots the word 'Quincy.

"Are you threatening me?" Uryuu gets defensive.

"No! Are you though?! I was out there minding my own business and you just came out of nowhere saying you hate me, so I ask you, Uryuu Ishida, what the fuck is your problem?"

Uryuu was taken aback by the outburst. As if looks could kill, Ichigo's eyes turned so sharp and all her previous jovial was gone. He prevents himself to swallow bile, trying not to show any weakness.

"Won't you fight me Kurosaki, between a Soul Reaper like you and a Quincy like me, which one would surpass the other? I'll show you that Soul Reaper is unnecessary in this world."

What the ever-loving Fuck is he talking about? What do you know about necessary and unnecessary?!

It took all Ichigo's willpower not to strangle the boy in front of her.

 


 

Meanwhile, Rukia marches to Urahara Shop by herself.

"Oh, my if it isn't Kuchiki-san! What's up-" 

 

THWACK!

 

A flying phone to the face is what is up!

 

"What's up?! You didn't answer no matter how many times I called you, so I have to come here!" Rukia chastises the shopkeeper.

"Sorry about that. We've been busy and the store has often been left empty." Urahara rubbed his aching cheek, "Kurosaki-san is not with you?"

"No, she can handle it by herself." Rukia knows Ichigo is a trouble magnet, but that girl is more than capable of handling Hollow by herself. "I want to ask you about the Quincy."

Urahara lifts at the name, and rested his chin on his hand, "I haven't heard that name for a long time... for nearly two hundred years."

"T-two hundred -What do you mean? What are they?" Rukia is still young compared to many upper echelons in Soul Society, so it was obvious that she did not know some of its older histories.

"In modern terms, they are humans, who like Kurosaki-san, can detect the existence of Hollows. It all started when they began training to confront Hollows, however, the difference between them and Soul Reapers has been laid since ancient times. That is... whether to kill or not to kill Hollows."

Soul Reapers try to purify Hollows with their Zanpakutou and send them to Soul Society and Quincy stuck to the thorough killing of Hollows. It was a logical human conclusion, Hollows devour human souls, so why must those who kill their friends and relatives, get to be sent peacefully to Soul Society? Whoever thought the same could see the reason as reasonable, they held faith that they were avenging their friends. That faith itself, accordingly, leads them to their destruction...

 


 

Ichigo tries to remind herself that it is illegal to kill, it is a law established by the land, and she must abide! Ichigo must not kill Uryuu Ishida, no matter how scatterbrained he is. Okay, maybe she could stab him a little. Maybe.

Ichigo punches the wall behind Uryuu. The boy flinched. Ichigo did not care, it reminded her of how full of brashness she is back before Chaldea and she hated it, she despises her old teenage self, she despises being a teenager again and she despises this teenage boy in front of her right now!

"State your rules, Quincy." Before I change my mind to beat the shit out of you! 

Uryuu watched Ichigo pull her fist from the wall, which is a huge crater she left at. He took out something from his pocket, "This is a Hollow bait, if I crush and scatter this, Hollows will gather in this town, whoever defeats the most Hollow within twenty-four hours wins."

"Good enough, as the holder of the bait you go first."

Uryuu complies and he went away first.

 

"Kon, you heard all of that?" Ichigo called.

An Amber Carbuncle pops out from Ichigo's school bag. A typical Japanese school bag was thin, it was supposed to be impossible for Kon to hide there, but since Ichigo changed him; he can turn into the book in which he was written, the Carbuncle, and his sizes. He can fit into many spaces, within the boundaries of coin purse sizes, he also does not need to spit green pills anymore for Ichigo to swallow, he simply needs to set the 'trigger' that is ingrained into him.

"Are you sure about doing this competition?" Kon knew Ichigo was way too aggravated to be reasoned with anyway.

"Yes." And Kon's ear gets droopy.

This competition was beyond reckless, which is why it does not mean she has to play fair. "Kon after you left my body in a safe place, come back to me, we're going to fight together."

It was stupid to refer to it as a game when the whole city's safety is at stake. Her family, Chad, Orihime, and Tatsuki are living targets with their increasing spiritual energy.

 

Notes:

For fuck sake Uryuu, nobody ever teaches you how to talk to a woman huh?

The Jugram that Siegfried met is not the Jugram of TYBW. You can say he is his grandfather.
And the Quincy who is David's friend, you can say that's Ichigo's ancestor. Spoiler alert to those who never read or watch Bleach, Ichigo is half-Quincy. I want to set Ichigo's Quincy lineage to be filled with a bunch of oddballs, because hey, what it takes to result as Ichigo Kurosaki, right.

Chapter 9: It Was (Never) About You Zwei

Summary:

Put those Hollow back where they came from or so help me!

Notes:

You guys have no idea how many fact checks I have to research just so David, St. Martha, and Siegfried's talks make sense about the Quincy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The entire town is shrouded with heaviness; it makes everyone get chills out of nowhere. In the eyes of the supernatural, the sky was rippling and then it cracks. A beast has descent from the sky.

 

Kon was holding for his dear life on Ichigo's shoulder. The temporary Soul Reaper was swooshing around like crazy, decapitating Hollows left and right, her gaze sharpening to that of a hawk.

"Uh, Ichigo you're going too fast there -Oh my God!" Kon panics when seeing an energy arrow flying in their direction, Ichigo side-stepped to avoid it. "That crazy archer! Is he trying to kill us?!"

"No, I killed the Hollow first before that arrow can reach it. Beat it, kid!" Ichigo raises her middle finger in Uryuu's direction. The Quincy cannot see the provocative gesture, he may aim for a long mile by sensing presences, but it is different from seeing in person. If Ichigo wields a bow right now she might have cheated by using a strengthening spell for her eyes. Like Archer.

"Kid? You're the same age as him." Kon says in confusion.

Oops. "Don't worry, it's an inside joke."

The Hollow bait was something Ichigo needs to investigate, how did such a small thing invite all of these Hollows? What is the actual trigger? Sudden mass of spiritual presence? They are mostly small fry, so they are easy to purify. They are even weaker than the Hollows that Ichigo slew for the past several days. She guessed it is for target practice purposes for Quincies, how else is a Bowman going to train when there is nothing to shoot at?

Wait a minute, this one is strong, "Kon, did you feel that?"

Kon sniffs the air, "Hmm, a big one, it came from the soccer ground."

"Yeah, that's where Karin usually plays. She's in trouble!"

 

Chad was out with his bandmates when the beast fell from the sky, creating several destructions that his friends thought were gas explosions. The thing was certainly big, a car was crushed by something big invisible foot and turns out to be targeting him. So, he ran around the city, looking for an open space to avoid further destruction or worse, his friend’s death. Chad knew there is a soccer ground up ahead, unfortunately, it is still occupied. As he arrives, he was face to face with Ichigo's younger sister, Karin, just in time to want to get out of the park.

"You're Nee-chan's friend? The cockatiel guy, wasn't it?"

Chad swooped the little girl when his instinct blared as a warning, the ground quaked when a fist descends. The other children ran in fear at the impromptu natural disaster, even though it is not natural at all, now there is only Chad and Karin there.

"What is that thing?!" Karin gaped; it is bigger than the one she saw at the graveyard. Yes, she asked Ichigo for confirmation about the incident; it is not just some dumb dream.

"You- you can see it?" Chad turned in surprise.

"I can see it as clear as day -LOOK OUT!" With the warning, Karin is brought up Chad's shoulder and evades the attack. She realized that the half-Mexican guy cannot see much of the beast, rendering her to be his second eye. "This isn't the first time I saw them, Nee-chan had been fighting them a lot lately!"

"Ichigo had been what?" His best friend had been gallivanting around killing monsters. Hold on does that mean..., "Karin was the incident with the cockatiel-"

"It's real! You've been chased by one before! DUCK!" 

Chad ducked down and felt a mass swathing the point of his hair. It was real? Then his promise to Yuuichi, that little spirit boy, they are real.

"This is insane- GO LEFT!"

Chad managed to dodge it, but he missed the added punch from the right. He rolled to the ground, protecting Karin in his embrace. He felt the pain around his head, it felt wet too.

"You're bleeding! Don't pass out, we need to get out of here!" Karin tried to lift Chad, but he was way too heavy. She helplessly saw another fist coming and closed her eyes.

 

"Did you hit someone again Yasutora?"

I am sorry...

"What comes from hitting? And what remains? Yasutora you are strong, you are big, and you were born with everything that most people would desire from God. Those who are different are persecuted, in this world that is how it works. However, you must be kind, find out the sake of those strong fists of yours...

Find it.

I understand, Abuelo.

"I have two little sisters, Karin and Yuzu. They are the best thing that ever happens in my life and that is why I have to protect them."

 

…To protect.

…This giant body of his, this fist of his, is for the sake of protecting others. That is why, even if it is just a little, please lend him this strength.

 

Ichigo thought she was too late, seeing Chad lying on the ground, bleeding, and her little sister bracing herself for impending death, but then there is a sudden burst of energy. She shielded her eyes, a huge flying limb passed her; the Hollow just lost an arm. The humongous beast howled in pain, he let out gibberish like a baby trying to speak, only way too guttural.

Chad left hand is encompassed in black, jagged prongs on the shoulder, with maroon, and white stripes adorning it. It is armor, his arm turned into literal armor! Ichigo would be lying if she is not confused about what just happened.

"Karin! Chad! You two are alright?" Ichigo was promptly hugged by Karin, who is shaking in fright. Chad gave her a simple thumbs up...she blinked; he can see her? Not to mention it, the wound on his head was magically gone too!

"Guys, it's not over yet!" Kon alerts them.

They avoided a gigantic claw that sprouted from the other Hollow hand, the severed stump on its left has regenerated too.

 

Ichigo heard the sound of a geta from behind. Urahara is here, with his assistant, Tessai Tsukabishi. 

"Kurosaki-san, do you need some help?" Urahara opens his fan, waving it in the air.

Ichigo gets to him as fast she can and hands over Karin to him, "Take care of her!" And immediately back in action.

Karin and Urahara looked at each other. Ichigo's sister slowly walks over to Tessai, feeling that she would be safer with the taller guy.

"... Oy vey," Urahara is miffed about being rendered as an unwanted babysitter.

 

Chad looks at his long-time best friend, wearing traditional garments colored in black, sword in hand, and an amber rabbit fox on her shoulder. That creature is quite cute.

"Chad, buddy now it's not the time to be attracted to cute stuff," Ichigo snaps her fingers in front of Chad's face.

"Sorry, so you know what's happening right now?" 

"It's kind of my fault I guess -Wait, lookout." Ichigo and Chad jump away to avoid getting smashed. "I accepted this monster-killing race from Uryuu Ishida, he cracked this bait thingy, and now the monster raining all over the city."

"Why did you accept it?"

"He was making me angry. Like from nowhere, he said he hates me for being, well this," Ichigo gestured to her clothing, "I punched a wall and he still challenges me!"

"Sounds like he got no tact." Chad hummed, punching away a swathing tail.

"Tell me about it!" Ichigo holds her ground when the clawed hand descends on her.

Kon leaped on the Hollow outstretched hand and starts crawling around at high speed on its body, the giant beast heedlessly trying to flick him away. With the distraction, Ichigo cut the tendon, like a fallen tree, tilts and when the face is almost crashing the ground, Chad destroyed the whole head with his newfound power. However, he slumped on the ground in extreme exhaustion, Ichigo checked him, thankfully, he is just asleep.

"We'll take care of him, you can continue to handle other places," Urahara came over, "And your sister too, of course."

"It's fine, I can go home by myself," Karin assures the adults.

"In that case, take this," Urahara gives Karin a red envelope, like those that scatter around during Chinese New Year, "It's an anti-monster charm."

Karin, being skeptical, only looks at it. Ichigo takes the envelope from Urahara, slipped a thousand yen into it, and hands it to Karin, both sisters then share a fist bump.

"Now it's safe," Karin grins as she went home.

"... You just have to ruin it," Urahara grumbled. "What is it with you not trusting me?"

"Have you looked in the mirror lately, Geta-bōshi? You're not convincing enough to be around children," Ichigo is obviously joking, "Besides, that's her ice cream money."

'You gave her a thousand yen for ice cream money?!" Urahara cannot disbelief this certain older sister.

"She's saving the change." Ichigo gives him a salute and Kon blows a raspberry at Urahara.

 


 

Orihime first thought was 'I am the only one who can see it and the next was 'We have to get out of here. It kept buzzing in her head as seeing that strange monster on top of the school water tank. That creature is dangerous. She lies to Tatsuki about a TV show she wanted to see, pretending that there is nothing wrong, simultaneously urging them to go home. 

They will be torn apart by that creature; they must escape!

But it was too late, Orihime was choked by Chizuru, who lost control of her left hand. The monster has a dirty trick, embedding seeds in the victims’ bodies, and taking over the nervous system.

The other high schooler came at Orihime in a zombie-like state, charging heedlessly at her, ripping her school uniform. She was saved by Tatsuki who kicked them off.

“Tatsuki-chan can you see it?”

“There's something transparent,“ Tatsuki was cut off by her schoolmates charging at her again, “What is wrong with them?”

“It’s the monster, he’s spreading something that makes them lose control!” Orihime sees the splotches on the student's skin.

"That's right, I don't like conflict. I use these seeds to control human bodies, so you and your friends can kill each other!" The monster has a feminine voice... it is a woman?

She sends a wave of rabid high schoolers at them. Kon came just in time, sending a blast of wind to fend them out. Ichigo got caught up by a rather draconic looking Hollow and told Kon to get to the High School first

"Praise me, ladies! For your savior is here!" He is smug after saving a couple of pretty girls.

“…What is this little twerp?” Tatsuki flicks the Carbuncle.

“I AM NOT A TWERP!” Kon barks.

 

"You insolent creature, you dare to interfere!"

Kon turns at the Hollow, "Well, at least you can talk, the previous one was not quite a conversationalist. You are one heck of an ugly-looking lady."

Glowering in anger, the Hollow sends her tentacles at the conscious three targets in the vicinity. They all run in different directions to avoid getting smashed or taken by the tentacles. Tatsuki has the most difficulty because she cannot see them, and almost get smashed if Kon did not deflect them for her. Unfortunately, Kon was taken by the next flying limb and smashed into the school building.

“Hey, twerp -ARGH!” Tatsuki was caught by the leg and now was hanging upside-down up the air, “Grrr, let me go!”

“Tatsuki-chan!” Orihime was held down by her zombie schoolmates. They punched her in the stomach, she cannot help but cough out the pain. She could hear Tatsuki screaming for her, her hair was pulled, and she cannot do anything. No, not the hair, please.

 

“Your hair is beautiful Orihime, such a warm and wonderful color."

This hair that my brother admired... I was happy about it. That is why I grow it out since I was a kid.

"You cut them short? Why?" Sora's expression was of disappointment.

I am sorry, felt like changing it, as I said to dodge the question. And then you died, I become more alone than ever but Tatsuki-chan, she...

"You have to stand up to them! They are not going to leave you alone if you keep going on like this!"

She looked after me. I grew out my hair again, which is a symbol of my faith in her.

…Thank you, Tatsuki-chan. For always protecting me but now...this time...

 

"...I'll protect you."

Orihime's hairpins glowed, they separate and flew in a different directions. They move so fast that they were able to cut the tentacles, Tatsuki thought she was going to hit the ground, but she was slowly put down by these little figures that holding her shoulders.

"Ow, that hurts, glad I recover fast," Kon grumbled then let out a little shriek when he was lifted by the tail and landed on Orihime's hand.

"Are you okay Mr. Twerp?" Orihime asked.

"Yeah, I heal fast -STOP CALLING ME TWERP! Anyway, what are these flying things?" Kon still rubbing his aching bum.

"Uh...I don't know." Orihime said, which made Kon face fault.

 

They introduced themselves as the Shun Shun Rikka. Consists of Ayame, Baigon, Hinagiku, Lily, Shun'o, and lastly, Tsubaki. 

"Uh, Orihime who are you talking to?" Tatsuki can only see her friend talking to the air.

"You can't see them Tatsuki-chan?"

"I can hear them, but unlike the monster, I see no outline or whatever."

"No surprises, not many can see us, although those kinds like Ichigo Kurosaki can," Shun'o said. "Because you see, we were born because of her."

They are born because of Ichigo?

"You're taking too long!" Tsubaki kicked Shun'o, "Simply enough, we six spirits are the representation of you; we are your power. So, use us, woman!"

"You sure talk big for someone so small," Orihime commented.

"That's what you said after having six fairies out of nowhere?!" Kon laments. Orihime's airheadedness is severe, just like Ichigo said.

 

The Hollow did not appreciate being ignored; she elongates her tentacles to attack. Kon sends another burst of wind to scatter the limb, he cannot do this for long though, Ichigo did explain that she is not done 'designing' him, so continuous spells might deplete his energy way too quickly. He was going to be so hungry after this.

"He needs help! Orihime, use us to create a shield, what you need to do is to invoke within your mind the incantation!" Hinagiku explains.

Orihime did not understand any single word that Hinagiku said.

Kon is getting impatient, "Just call their names!"

"Yes, that's exactly what it is." Hinagiku agrees.

"Then say it as it is!" Kon hates this fairy. He notices the Hollow is going to send her controlling seeds again. "Incoming!" 

"Hi-Hinagiku, Baigon, Lily!" Orihime commands and three spirits fly into the air.

"Now repeat after us!"


 
"SANTEN KISSHUN! I REJECT!"

 

A projected triangle shield blocks the incoming projectile spat out by the Hollow.

"Good job! Now let us try-" 

"Please, just be frank with her," Kon interject so they can avoid the worst.

"Fine, you overgrown rat!" Shun'o ignores the Carbuncle, who is bristling at the new insult. "Call up my name and Ayame to heal, let's start with your friend's leg."

Pointing at the bruise on Tatsuki's leg, it was marred by the Hollow tentacle grip, which is why she is a bit limping. 

"Say, Souten Kishun this time."

Orihime repeated the words. Shun'o and Ayame spread out to create a sphere around Tatsuki's leg, it does not take too long for the injury to heal completely. The owner was confused why her leg suddenly felt better. Tatsuki felt that this has to be the weirdest day ever.

"Now is my turn woman, my role is offensive, let's slice the enemy." Tsubaki prepares himself.

"At least you kept it short," Kon murmured.

"Thanks, rat."

Tsubaki ignores the curses thrown at him.

"My command is..."

 

"KOTEN ZANSHUN! I REJECT!"

 

The Hollow was sliced into two and disintegrated right after. Orihime fell unconscious after using her newfound power.

"Orihime!" Tatsuki catches her friend's body.

"Oh well, figured using us all at once will be too much. You did great Orihime, for now, we shall return." The spirits returned to their hairpin state.

 

There is a sound of a crash at the schoolyard, a horrible howl resounds in the air.

Kon sniffed the air, "Oh no, Ichigo!" He ran to help his master.

Tatsuki perks up hearing her childhood friend's name, she piggybacks Orihime and follows Kon. She cannot see where her friend is, but the soccer net was broken, it creaking as if someone was getting up from it. Kon went up to the net, fretting at currently-invisible-to-Tatsuki’s-eyes Ichigo Kurosaki.

"Ichigo, you okay?" Kon asked.

"Sort of," Her clothes were a bit singed, even Tatsuki can smell something akin to burnt hair. "Fuck, how is it spitting oil?!" Ichigo wipes the oil on her skin carelessly on her hakama.

"Ichigo are you there?" Tatsuki outstretches her hand at the empty air, there is something there, like the flesh of a body. She felt it vibrate as she hears Ichigo clearing her throat.

"That's my asset you poking at."

"Oh, sorry." Tatsuki pulls back her hand immediately. Well, this is awkward.

They got alerted by the howl again. On the schoolyard was the previous draconic-looking Hollow, four legs that looked more like a horse foot, the mask half-cracked, revealing an eye of a manic man. The body was drenched, which is not by water; he shakes himself, and the liquid scattered on the yard, he scratched the ground to create sparks, an instant sea of fire blazing free for both spirits and humans to see.

"Holy shit..." Kon voices all the witnesses' thoughts.

Karakura town has several reports of incidents that day, a gas explosion, an earthquake, and finally, an arson.

 

Notes:

This type of flashback for newfound power was a bit corny for me, but I tried.

Yes, it's the same Hollow that Chad and Orihime fought in the manga and anime. You can say a certain someone upgrades them for a harder challenge...just a bit.

*Having a flashback in the middle of a dangerous situation*
Ichigo: So this is what they looked like on the outside

Chapter 10: It Was (Never) About Us

Summary:

Karakura overpowered children get even more overpowered.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo is tired. She was not prepared to fight multiple enemies in one day, at first, they are all small fry but strangely, stronger Hollow just kept coming. The abilities are getting way too creative, one in front of her is a condemned Kirin from Hell. She turned to Tatsuki, who have Orihime on her back, her unconscious and spiritual signature had changed, much like Chad's. 

The Hollow is rearing and charging at high speed at her for direction. Ichigo scooped up Kon and Tatsuki, despite the latter having another person on her, Ichigo was glad she was stronger in her Soul Reaper form. She can guess Kon was getting fatigued, seems like whatever that attacking Orihime and Tatsuki, tires him out.

"Stay here, all of you!" Ichigo set them down somewhere safe.

"Wait Ichigo you can't fight that thing alone!" Surprisingly, it was Tatsuki who said that.

"I have to! You need to take care of Orihime and Kon!"

Tatsuki cannot even see her childhood friend not in front of her anymore, but she can feel she was getting further away, from the transparent monster that creating fire in the soccer yard. She does not know what this feeling of uselessness is, watching things unfold in front of her while doing nothing. Ichigo and she used to be doing karate together, she was a little red-headed girl who always cried when Tatsuki beat her in sparring, but the moment Ichigo saw her mother come to pick her up, she was smiling again as if nothing happened. Then her mother died, Ichigo turned into this abrasive person that tried so hard to protect her younger sisters, people are calling her a delinquent, but Tatsuki knew better. Ichigo always carries this lingering sadness, since she cannot outright express them, it is delivered into something physical.

Then High School started, and for the first time, Tatsuki noticed something different. Ichigo held her head high up, like many of her burdens were gone. She was not as temperamental as usual and less apprehensive, but still scowled a lot though. She is still Ichigo Kurosaki, but at the same time, felt like someone else. Who helped Ichigo to smile again? It is not Chad, her best friend, and comrade; not Tatsuki, her oldest and childhood friend.

 

"Hey, Ichigo is it true you can see ghosts? Some boys were mocking you at school about it."

"Of course, I can't, they weren't mocking me, we were just...playing."

It was a lie. Ichigo, you idiot, I saw you fight them in front of my eyes.

"Huh?! What are you calling me chan for?"

"Because you're girly, I think."

It was in fifth grade when that happens, and Ichigo called her that only once. Well, if that makes Ichigo feel any less lonely, then good.

It doesn't.

Are you feeling any better now Ichigo, you finally beat me in martial art. Ichigo gave Tatsuki this blank expression, only taking out her hand to help Tatsuki up.

It was in sixth grade when Ichigo finally win something from her and yet she was not any less good. Why? What should I do so you can smile again?

Ichigo Kurosaki is her classmate once again. Said the redhead just came in, scowling as usual but as she spots Tatsuki, she gave her this genuine sincere smile, "Hello Tatsuki, guess we're classmates again, can't get rid of me in your life huh."

"... Yeah, guess so."

Still, Ichigo beat thugs left and right, now in general exasperation. Not tense as before.

 

Tatsuki wished she can help, she wished...she wishes...

 

"Oi, what are you doing?! Get back here, you're going to get yourself killed!"

Tatsuki ignores Kon, she ran toward the blazing soccer yard and felt her shoes catch on fire but she does not care. What she only wanted was to help Ichigo, that is why she put on her karate stance...

"Tatsuki! What are you-" 

And cut to the blazing fire and kick the monster's body from the side. The force is so strong, manage to send it tumbling several feet away.

 

Ichigo gawked at the sight of Tatsuki, arms, and legs covered in fire. It does not burn her, those fires act as a gauntlet and greave and much like Orihime, her spiritual signature also changed. What is with people getting superpowers out of cereal boxes these days? Ichigo approached Tatsuki, promptly grabbed by the hem with fire covered fist, the heat hovering on her face.

"Ichigo Kurosaki!" Tatsuki yelled.

"...Yes?" Ichigo held up her hand.

"You! What are you wearing?" Tatsuki took a deep breath.

"Uh...a Soul Reaper garb..." 

"Oh, is that what you are now?"

Well, Ichigo would not know about that. Then again, what is Tatsuki now anyway? Impromptu Shaolin?

Their attention was caught by the sound of the Hollow preparing to charge at them, it rears its legs like a bull, a single horn protruding toward its adversaries. Tatsuki let go of Ichigo, she stretches both of her legs, tap them on the ground and she goes down in sprinting starting position. 

"...Ta-" Ichigo started...

Tatsuki set off and at the same time, so was the Hollow. She prepared her fiery fist, as it lands on the bone mask and created a huge crack. The Hollow howled in pain, but Tatsuki is not done, she jumped high in the air, descending in a blazing spinning kick right in the spot where she creates the cracks. The kick was like an ax, splitting the Hollow head into two.

She lands on the ground with grace, Hollow disappears into ash, and Tatsuki marches at Ichigo in agitation.

"You! You listen to me, you stubborn ass..." 

"Uh-huh, yeah, I'm listening," Ichigo nodded hurriedly, only to catch Tatsuki's collapsing body.

Urahara Kisuke was suddenly beside Ichigo, fire extinguisher in hand, dutifully putting off fire in the soccer yard. He looked at Tatsuki, seeing the unconscious girl's fiery limbs, he took some consideration before finally blowing it out.

All of this stuff that is happening in two hours... God, Ichigo needs a drink.

 

Ichigo drank the whole water from the bottle given by Tessai in one go. She still has a Quincy to smack for his idiocy, the moment she saw Uryuu Ishida, she will punch his face off, maybe break his nose in the process. Kon was drowsing, even though he is eating a chocolate bar right now. Ichigo lifted him, holding him gently as he slowly fell asleep, the chocolate bar forgotten.

"Okay, one broken nose coming right up." She sighed.

"Good luck, Kurosaki-san." Urahara helpfully said.

"Yeah, I suppose I need that. Uuuugh, I'm so tired." Ichigo cries to the sky as she walks out of the school area.

 

Uryuu's fingers are bleeding from the continuous release of arrows, it is also getting harder to kill the Hollows in one blow. No! He must not falter, he cannot lose. He swears he will avenge his teacher, his grandfather. He...he has not made a mistake, is the...

 


 

"I SAID IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!" Orihime woke up from her dream, hitting Chad's face who was concerned about her nightmare. "Huh? Good morning Sado-kun."

"Morning...your head is surprisingly hard Orihime." Chad rubbed his aching nose.

Tatsuki groaned as she got up. "Where are we?"

"Looks like all of you are finally awake." Urahara tapped his cane.

"Who is he?" Orihime whispered.

"I don't know, but it seems that...we were brought here by him," Chad said.

"Really? Wait, where is Ichigo?" Tatsuki looked around.

"No need to look for Kurosaki-san, she's out there doing her job. I brought all of you here because of your strange powers, and the connection between them with Ichigo Kurosaki."

 


 

Ichigo kicked the Hollow that was going to hit Rukia, giving it a slash to end it quickly. The petite girl's body was bruised, but mostly alright, Ichigo handed Kon sleeping form to Rukia.

"Where were you, Ichigo?" Rukia asked.

Ichigo let out a huge sigh, "Around the town."

Right on time, Uryuu Ishida stepped in, "Oh good, this area is safe and sound."

Ichigo clicks her tongue, the audacity of this kid, "Do you have any idea what have you done? The shopping area was almost flattened, a muscular Hollow created an earthquake, and our school might almost burn to the ground, this is your ideal competition. By endangering the whole town?!" She almost applauded herself for having energies to spare some lectures.

Uryuu blinked in surprise at the accusation, "Earthquake? Burned? Wait, the bait I used cannot attract strong Hollows, I will not allow a single person in this town to die!"

"The last one I fought was spitting oil then lit it up with its horse feet, how is that not attracting a strong Hollow?!" Ichigo's anger flared up again. "Listen, asshole! This fight has no meaning from the start, if you're trying to prove that Quincy was better than a Soul Reaper, then do it correctly!"

"Ichigo look at the sky!" Rukia warned.

They all looked up and saw the clouds...the imagery looked like being absorbed somewhere. All Hollows are going to it, waiting for something to come out; to be greeted, and Uryuu starts shooting them again.

"You idiot! Don't-"

"What? Are you afraid Kurosaki? Then watch it from here, I'm Uryuu Ishida, the last Quincy, will win this battle!" 

Brat! Ichigo almost screamed, does nobody ever teach that boy strategy? He still has the gall to call this stupidity a battle, she cracked her knuckles in preparation.

"Why is he calling himself the last Quincy anyway?"

"... The fall of Quincy was two hundred years ago. At the hand of Soul Reapers," Rukia hesitantly started, "It was a difficult decision, but to prevent world destruction, the number of souls in this world and Soul Society are constantly evened out. Soul Reaper's job was to regulate the number of souls in both worlds."

Souls released from Soul Society are to be reborn and are watched by Soul Reaper, Souls that passed away in the World of the Living are sent back to Soul Society and Hollows are no exception. However, Quincy destroys Hollows completely, which means those souls did not return to Soul Society. In short, Souls would only increase on the other side of reality, meaning the world would incline toward the side of the living, and Soul Society would spill over it. Chaos between life and death.

Ichigo thought all of that is quite an oversimplification of how the world works, it should not be that simple! What about the Lifestream's role in all of that? Does Soul Reaper know about the Lifestream? The literal sea of souls, new and old. Because of that, now Soul Society sounded like limbo or lesser Heaven- Okay, she should stop, this is not the time to think about that.

"I don't think he cares about that."

"What? Of course, he does, we are responsible for his people's demise."

We? Rukia you did not just include me in an act of genocide that happened two hundred years ago!

"No, whatever makes him angry is sort of recent history, it's more personal," The more reason why Uryuu will be getting his nose broken by the end of this for involving Ichigo who knows jack-shit about his problem, "Come on, the faster this is done, the faster we get some sleep."

 


 

"So, you're saying that the monsters with holes we fought earlier are Hollows?" Tatsuki questioned, "Why does this have anything to do with Ichigo?"

"Her spiritual ability is uncontrollably wild, they kept pouring out and consistently affecting the spirits around her and that's what happened to you as well. How many times that you encountered her in Soul Reapers form? Those powers were pulled from the depth of your soul, they are your natural powers." Urahara explained.

"No!" Tatsuki bangs her fist on the floor. "Ichigo is our friend, how is it her mistake to just meet us?! We have powers and suddenly it's her fault."

"It's not her fault, it doesn't work like that. Think of it as you were given a key, but the door was up to you to open it or not and you three choose to open it. That's why..."

The shoji door opened, revealing Tessai who bowed. "Tenchō, the sky crest has begun its convergence. The preparations are complete."

"I want you to see them for yourselves, the world you are about to step into," Urahara stepped out from his store, "And the enemies that you must fight."

Yes, those three are Ichigo's closest friends who managed to develop their powers. Speaking of powers, he remembered watching young Ichigo Kurosaki and feeling those abundance of leaking spiritual energies. One day, it is like someone slapped tape on it. The girl was able to control and use them wisely, not only that, but she also became insightful, calculating every move and possibility in a battle, she was like an instant warrior. She is a mystery. Good thing he enjoys mystery like his daily breakfast.

 


 

Uryuu feels like he was making a mistake now that he witnessed how exactly Ichigo worked her sword around the Hollow. After creating a pile of Hollow, she held up her sword at the Quincy, because that is it, no more games, and if she found the reason was incredibly stupid, well he had it coming.

"Give me your reason for doing all of this, it is not because of the fall of Quincy two hundred years ago right?"

"No, those are just a measly old tale told by my sensei," Uryuu said, "My sensei, my grandfather, died right before my eyes."

"... And?"

"In peacetime, Soul Reapers are always late in dealing with Hollows in this world. That is why sensei kept appealing to them that Quincy needed to act first before they came, he groped them to work together." Uryuu shoots a stray Hollow behind Ichigo. "But one day he was fighting these five big Hollows, it was two hours he began fighting, and one hour passed since his death! if only Soul Reapers acknowledged the strength of the Quincy, they would have come faster to save him...It could have ended without sensei's death!"

"Ah... I understand now." Ichigo nodded.

"Now you see- OOF!"

Ichigo punched Uryuu in the face, his nose is bleeding profusely.

"Then what the fuck do those things have anything to do with me?!" It was indeed stupidity, Ichigo was so satisfied with the punch, "Your sensei wish was so Quincy and Soul Reapers can work together! And you thought inviting Hollows all over the city was a good idea?! My mother was killed by a Hollow when I was nine and there was nothing I can do about it. But today, today my sister almost died, our friends almost died, our classmates almost died, and a lot of people almost died. All because of this pointless race!"

Ichigo slashed a lunging Hollow by using Uryuu as a leaping tool, Uryuu ignores the pain in his nose and shoots a Hollow that was going for Ichigo.

"I'm a human dumbass, I don't have much pride to be a Soul Reaper either, I just simply want to protect people that's all! Better apologies to those people who almost became victims today you-who-got-a-Barney-doll-at-fifth-birthday!"

"Okay, okay I'm sorry! And how the heck did you know about that?!"

"You're smart, you figure it out!"

Standing back-to-back as they are slaying the Hollows together, suddenly their adversaries stopped fighting. The Hollow looks up to the sky, creating a sound as if they are praying. There was a loud cracking sound, long white fingers opened the sky, and an enormous mask peeked through to the world below. That Hollow...

 

"Say Teacher, do these creatures have a name?" Ichigo asked after watching Scáthach easily decapitating many two to six stories tall... Beast? Ghoul? Alien? Ichigo gave up. Stuff is just getting weirder every day.

"Name? Well, there is this one... Gillian."

"That sounds like someone's name."

"I don't like it either," Scáthach shrugged. "The natives also called them Menos."

 

Crap those Hollows are coming at us again. Ichigo lifted her sword but there is a rain of...rocket launchers destroying them, she turned around and see the little girl that accompanied Urahara the first time they met, she was carrying this seal-covered thing that is like twice her weight, and it settles that this kid is not normal then.

"Kurosaki-san we've come to the rescue~!"

"How about the others?"

How is he always on time in times of crisis?

"Oh, they're safe!"

Another little boy, whom Ichigo remembered to complain about not getting some action practically hit Hollows with a mace. Tessai even used his palm to crush a Hollow in the face! They are strong, but the number of Hollows around there decreasing fast. Strangely, Urahara always shows up wherever she goes through, is it because the man was curious about her? Was he ordered by someone to assassinate her? Okay, not the time to be concerned about her paranoia. Luckily, she still has some energy to spare and hopes it is enough to deal with Gillian.

The thing is about these gigantic creatures, they are cannibals. They ate fellow Hollows to get stronger, that is why Ichigo charged forward trying to cut its leg, except it is way too hard, damn she wished she has her old strength as an adult back during Lostbelt.

She was flung away by the force of Menos's kick.

"Kurosaki what were you thinking?" Uryuu reprimanded.

"I thought I could cut it until they got shorter so I can strike the face," It is a morbid Jenga that she used to 'play' with her Heroic Spirits comrades, hanging out with a bunch of abnormal positively skewed her view to confront this enemy or she is getting delirious from the tiredness.

"Is your brain broken or what?" Not that far off from the truth there. Uryuu accidentally touched Ichigo's O-katana and the bow on his hand instantly get bigger.

"Did you just absorb my spiritual energy?"

"This...is your spiritual energy?" Uryuu gaped in disbelief. The energy reserve is massive! Wait, he can use this, "Can I use your sword so I can create a bigger arrow?"

"Use my sword? Do you want me to stab you or something? I can just tap you on the shoulder you know," Ichigo drawled. Not that she wanted to refuse her personal urges to stab him.

"O-Oh you can?" Uryuu blinked dumbly.

"It's going to use Cero," Urahara informed.

"Ichigo back away! You're going to get obliterated!" Rukia shouted.

Much to Rukia's ire, Ichigo turned at her and mouthed 'watch me' and Urahara laughed out loud seeing it.

 

The now superpowered three teenagers were observing from far away.

"Did you see Ichigo, standing beside Ishida?" Chad said.

"Yeah, I can see her very clearly," Orihime nodded.

"She's going to fight that giant thing... Hey guys, I think we should do it..." Tatsuki balled her fist, she had her resolves, and so was everyone else.

 

Ichigo tapped Uryuu's shoulder, the Quincy get bigger by the energy transference. Cero was the red ray technic of concentrated energy used by Hollows, the Menos took a shot at the same time Uryuu let go of his arrow, the two energies clashing at each other before the arrow eventually won, cutting through the Cero and blasting its face. 

"Did it work?" Uryuu watches on.

No, it did not quite work, that Menos it is still standing. Ichigo instinctively throws Uryuu at the spectators behind and quickly pulled her sword to deflect the second blast of Cero. Her feet skidded backward with the push of the blast. 

Push it back... Push it back! Ichigo pours out her spiritual energies at her sword, when she deemed it enough, she pushed the Cero together with a strike and slashed the Menos in half, not quite at the center, however. Tch, I missed it. Whatever, I'm too tired anyway.

The Gillian retreated to the crack it created.

Uryuu and Rukia came over to check on Ichigo, she supports herself with her sword and looked at Kon, sleeping soundly in Rukia's arms. Must be nice.

"Now how am I going to ask where he hides my body," Ichigo petted the Carbuncle.

"I have the chance to find it Kurosaki-san and I swear I didn't do anything with it," Urahara supplied.

"Yey, thanks," Ichigo unceremoniously falls on her butt, her body did not obey, "Ugh, I want to go home."

"Fine, get on my back, it's the least I can do right now," Uryuu offers a piggyback.

"Must be weird to be looking like carrying nothing on your back." Ichigo grinned.

"Hey, you want to go home or not?"

 

Urahara stored his fan in his sleeves. "I leave it to you to fix that crack."

"No problem," Tessai said. "Jinta, come and help me."

Jinta followed Tessai, but he stopped for a while to smack a fly.

Urahara gave the splattered remains of a fly on the ground a slight glance, then continues walking on.

 

Notes:

If you read and watch Bleach, you know exactly who is at fault for sending many dangerous Hollows just to test people's capabilities.

I always wanted Tatsuki to Tifa-the-fuck-out of Hollows, and yes, she's going to be a Monk. Chad is more of a boxer and brawl type of fighting.
You may interpret Tatsuki in many ways. I write in the way she wished she can help Ichigo more like she helped Orihime. The problem is, Ichigo is not Orihime, so it's not her fault either, for not being able to crack such a stubborn tough nut...unless, you're Scathach, that is.

Chapter 11: These Fleeting Moments

Summary:

"Ichigo Throws Hand at Old People Who Looks Young."
Not a bad title for a novel, in fact, it's the second volume already!

Someone: Wait, how old?
Ichigo: Very old!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo and the others went to school as usual... Like nothing ever happens. Yes, people, please ignore the broken building near the gym and the scorched soccer yard, if it were not for the memory modification tool, citizens of Karakura city probably thought there is a terrorist attack. Well, there was an attack, a ghost monster terrorist attack to be exact, and leave it to the local teenagers for precise extermination. What model citizens they are, right? Right?

 

The same thing for the residents of Urahara Shop, as usual, the children are sweeping the front porch, while the adults tend to the products at the back. A black cat stopped by, which Ururu noticed. She called Urahara and Tessai for it.

"Yoruichi-san, you're back~!" Urahara lifted the black cat with fanfare. "You fuzzy little troublemaker! Who is the cutest? You are!"

"Meow!" 

"Wait here, I shall get you some milk!" Urahara gave a sign to Tessai, who nodded and usher the kids away. Not long, he came back with a bottle of milk and a small bowl, and sees the cat looking up at the sky, "What's going on Yoruichi? Is it going to rain?"

"Stop acting Kisuke," Said the cat with a man's voice, "You know very well that they are already here."

"You want to talk about it now or wait until you're done with your milk?" Urahara's eyes narrowed.

 


 

Rukia was invited for lunch by her classmates, Ichigo is not there because she was busy cuffing Uryuu on the rooftop, the latter was very reluctant to interact with the redhead, kind of obvious since yesterday they were fighting. Uryuu could just ignore her, but for some reason after the Hollow killing competition, every time he saw Ichigo, he had this streak of horror, like he discovers something that he should not have. Ichigo thought he wanted another fight.

"Say Rukia, how do you get along with Ichigo so fast?" A girl named Mahana Natsui asked.

"Huh, what do you mean? Are you guys not close?" Rukia knows that people tend to avoid Ichigo because of her thug-fighting reputation, but if people want to know the girl well, they soon understand that she was not a bad person at all.

"She’s very mysterious, we know she's nice because Tatsuki and Orihime were her friends beforehand." 

"At first, I think she was a scary person. But after she saves me from bullies, I know she's a kind person," Michiru Ogawa said.

"I like Ichigo! While her chest is not as big as Orihime's, her body is one of the best! Tall like a supermodel and muscle sculpted like a Roman Goddess statue!" The school's proud lesbian, Chizuru Honshou exclaimed.

"Quit it you pervert! Wait, how do you know about Ichigo's chest? Did you grope her?" Tatsuki hoped not.

"I wish! And it's called having a pair of keen eyes!" Chizuru was smacked by Tatsuki with that statement.

"Oh, by the way, do you know that Momohara likes Ichigo, he always asks her to join the Karate club but turns out that was an excuse to get close to her," Orihime added.

"Wow Hime, I didn't know you're such a gossiper."

 

The interaction between humans. Love, companionship, and friendship, are troublesome, Soul Reaper should not have these unnecessary feelings.

Rukia cannot do this anymore, she has become too attached to the Human World. Ichigo and the others will draw Soul Society's attention to their abilities. They became her friends over the past three months and she starting to get attached, that is why Rukia must go back; it is not safe for her to be near them.

Later that evening, she left a note at Ichigo’s desk, saying how grateful she was for taking care of her for the past few months. Honestly, Rukia had no idea how to get back without her Zanpakutou, it holds the pass to open the Senkaimon, the official gateway to Soul Society. She hoped Urahara can open it for her, it might be illegal, but she got no choice in the matter.

“I found you, Rukia Kuchiki!”

Rukia stopped in her tracks, she knew that voice. “Renji? Renji Abarai, is that you?”

A crimson-haired Soul Reaper landed in front of her, Zanpakutou resting on his shoulder. “So where is the human that stole your powers?”

“Y- you can’t prove that my powers had been stolen…“ Rukia is excusing herself. Do not tell him about Ichigo, that girl will get killed.

Renji is not fond of the look on Rukia’s face, and he did not buy the excuses. "What with that human expression?! You're a Kuchiki, you shouldn't be holding such an expression, am I right Captain Kuchiki!"

Rukia immediately felt dread when 'Captain Kuchiki' was uttered. Behind her was a black-haired man wearing a teal prized scarf around his neck, kenseikan adorning his head, with no emotion toward Rukia as he looks down on her.

"N... Nii-sama..." 

The man is her older brother, Byakuya Kuchiki.

 


 

Rukia runs away? Ichigo has not finished finding a way how to give Yuki back yet. The spirit had been crying in despair in her last dream, and Merlin has not got any breakthrough either. Since he cannot observe Rukia in person, he can only use Yuki as a loophole, it is enough for him to know what is going on between them. There is something inside Rukia that essentially creates a fence between Yuki and her. Made sense as to why Merlin was never able to enter Rukia's dream, despite the fake body, it should not hinder the Magus's ability to dream walking. 

 

 

“Do you have any idea what’s the thing inside Rukia?” Ichigo had set Fray to calm down the Rukia's frantic Zanpakutou spirit.

Avalon was unusually silent. With no wind blowing the flower petals and too many clouds in the sky. The sounds of thunder blaring loudly in the air.

“I guess you already have the lesson that Holy Grail can be created right?" Merlin hummed.

“Yes…you think what inside Rukia is a Holy Grail?”

“It's not a Grail," Merlin shook his head, "It's something else."

"Something else huh..." Ichigo sat down beside Merlin. She felt water come from above. Rain in Avalon? It should not be possible. And just like why she does not why it can rain in Avalon, Ichigo also does not know what is the thing inside Rukia's body, "One of these days, we're going to have the answer to every question in our life."

"That's when humanity starts to cease about themself and strive to be a God."

"Isn't it always?"

Merlin lowly chuckled and pats Ichigo on the head, "Be careful out there, Ichigo."

 

 

Ichigo read the notes that were left by Rukia, under the gratefulness was a warning that she needs to hide. Rukia was overstaying, it is Soul Society's responsibility to escort her back, problem is, Ichigo still holds the petite Soul Reaper powers. Rukia said the law for transferring powers to humans was forbidden, but she never says what kind of punishment she will get for doing it. Based on the notes, Ichigo needs to hide, so that Soul Society would not target her for breaking the law.

I don't think Rukia quite thinks of this thoroughly.

This is...literally asking her to be a fugitive!

"Kon, where are you?"

Ichigo is almost worried as she did not see Kon anywhere in her bedroom. Suddenly, the door is opened, revealing Kon, who was duct tapped on the toilet. He has a bit of stink on him.

"Rukia-nee locked me in the bathroom so I wouldn't tell you where she's going!" Kon prattled when he was finally freed. He jumped on Ichigo's desk to find a perfume or body mist.

Ichigo helpfully took out one of her light-scented perfumes and sprays it a couple of times at Kon, "Where is she going?"

"She's going back to Soul Society! But her powers haven’t returned yet, how is she going to go back? Ichigo, we need to help her!"

"In my guess, she probably asked Urahara to open a portal to her homeworld."

It is not Rukia's fault that she loses her power, it seemed to be the right thing to do at that moment and it is up to Ichigo to prove her right. Before she can ask Kon to take over her body, she senses someone perching on her windowsill. The last time she checked, she swore she closed her window before sundown.

Turns out, it is Urahara.

Ichigo definitely not going to ask how the man can picklock a window from the outside. She expected no less from a veteran assassin.

"Kurosaki-san, assuming that you're going to save Kuchiki-san, shall I be of any assistance?"

"Oh, so you know this would happen, didn't you man who worked outside the law?" Ichigo crossed her arms. It is settled, this guy is a former Soul Reaper. He must come from Rukia's homeworld too, "What is this assistance that you offer?"

"No, I suppose it's not assistance," Urahara gets down, Ichigo’s eyes widen as he did a seiza on top of her bed and bows deeply, "Kurosaki-san, I know you are confident in your abilities, but I'm begging you for this once... Do not win."

Ichigo inwardly facepalms. Urahara was following her around. Of course. She forgets how much she hated having a stalker. This is why she thought he is positively trying to assassinate her, by begging her not to win; asking her to hide her skills from Rukia's escort that she going to fight.

"Sounds like you're the one who's adamant about saving Rukia. But for some reason, you can't go?" Ichigo stopped Kon from getting mad at her. Made a motion to listen to her first, "Rukia is willing to sacrifice herself to save me in the face of Soul Society. Personally, I don't like it. However, I'm playing politics with Urahara-san. Tell me, why should I save her?"

"... I... I cannot say."

"Why?"

"Soul Society mustn't get their hand on what I hid inside Kuchiki-san. You're an unknown factor in their eyes, that's why I'm asking your help to-" 

Ichigo grabbed the edge of Urahara's hat and flipped it backward. For the first time, she can see his pleading pair of... Gray eyes.

"You..."

"Kurosaki-san?"

Ichigo silently gripped her clammy hands. She pulled her best at controlling her expression. Don't cry. Don't cry. DON'T CRY-!

"... I'll help you. Not because of your personal gain... But because Rukia's my friend," She then scoffed, "Or perhaps because you knew what a sacrificial dumbass I am. One who would not back down from a fight."

Urahara blinked with apparent confusion.

"I'm sorry...? Kurosaki-san I know you're an admirable person but-"

"Shut up!" Ichigo hissed dangerously at him. She cannot help it. It is the only thing she can do at him...for now.

 

She turned her back on Urahara. Not daring to meet his eyes. Fate... Why did they have to be so cruel... Ah, Seriously, how is this her life?

She wanted to laugh. Maybe this is one of his ploys to assassinate her. 

Maybe he is joking with her right now.

 

“You...truly are trying to kill me, aren't you?"

"... I... did not," Urahara frowned, still hovering with confusion, "Why did you think that I was trying to kill you?"

"You're a smart guy. Go figure it out yourself," Ichigo snapped her finger, "Kon, exchange now! Watch over my family and no, you are not coming with me!"

Kon visibly deflated his ears.

 

Ichigo jumped out of her bedroom, landing on her front lawn of grass. She expands her sense to track down Rukia's spiritual signature and... Is that? Oh, for fuck sake, is that Ishida going straight to the danger zone too?!

"Urahara, Get Ishida away from there! If you want me not to win, then you better make sure I'm the only one to get hurt!"

Gee, that kid truly cannot back down when there is a Soul Reaper around huh? Considering how there are real Soul Reapers arriving at Karakura Town. What is he going to do? Part two of he is going to prove that Quincies are better than Soul Reapers?

Nu-uh. Ichigo will not be having any of that crap. Once is enough!

"R-Right away, Kurosaki-san."

 


 

Rukia manages to get away from the slash that Renji delivered. It got her in the cheek. Her childhood friend has gotten stronger without her knowing. 

"Giving your powers to a human is a crime, our boss has appointed us to kill the human who has your powers, we'll capture you, and the human who stole your powers will die," Renji gritted his teeth when Rukia choose to stay silent, "You know very well that you didn't dodge my previous attack, I let you escape. Next time I won't miss!"

Renji raised his sword and Ichigo came in right in time to plant it into the asphalt, jutting it down with the force of her descending figure.

"Ichigo? What are you doing here?!" Rukia does not sound that happy though.

"Oh, you know. Being stupid."

Ichigo sensed Uryuu's signature getting far. Good job Urahara. The crimson-pineapple-headed Soul Reaper forcefully pulls out his Zanpakutou from the ground. She flips away in the opposite direction when he tried to sway her with his blade.

The Soul Reaper is tall. He is wearing a huge visor and Ichigo can see glimpses of his very elaborate eyebrows...? Wait a minute, those are not eyebrows. Those are tattoos. Ew, what a gaudy taste!

"A Soul Reaper? On whose order are you?" Renji recognized the Zanpakutou that Ichigo's holding. Despite being longer, he knows that is what Rukia Zanpakutou looked like, "I see! So you're the one that stole Rukia's power!"

"Are playing an accusation game?" Ichigo drawled. What she needed is a book of 'How to Hide Your Skills 101'. Quick! Before she decided to go haywire on this gaudy guy!

"I'm Renji Abarai, remember the name of your killer!" Renji gets ready for another strike.

A sense of comradery? Ichigo can live that, it is one of Scáthach's teaching.

"Ichigo Kurosaki, nice to meet you," Ha! Nice to meet you, my ass. Girl, you are not trying to befriend him!

 

It is something that ordained since ancient times when two warriors face each other, they exchange their names to respect each other abilities even if either one of them must end up dead. One of the prime examples was Cú Chulainn and Emiya's constant bickering. One day they saw each other for the first time in Chaldea, they went 'LANCER!' 'ARCHER!', and summon their weapon, trying to kill each other.

They said it is a rivalry. Though the more Ichigo sees it the more she thinks it is their version of saying that they missed each other. Once she shouted at them to kiss and get a room already and immediately thought that was her end. But no!

Cú Chulainn was strangely pleased.

Emiya grounded her.

It was worth it.

 

Ichigo was trying hard to be sloppy by letting Renji's swordsmanship win, but still not letting him able to hurt her. He is good. He seemed to work hard to perfect his skills. 

"Give it up! Give Rukia's powers back. It doesn't matter if you die, Rukia will still be executed at Soul Society!" Renji shouted in frustration.

What? What kind of justice system is that?

"Anyway, you're pretty stupid, Rukia came out for herself so you wouldn't have to fight me."

Yes, I know that you stupid-looking Pineapple-head.

"Did you believe you can make a difference by coming here? An inexperienced Soul Reaper like you can't even put a scratch on me!"

Renji then felt the nick on his cheek.

"Please continue. You were talking about a scratch?" Ichigo did it out of spite because he cannot seem to be able to shut up!

"You...bastard!"

 

"You were too careless Renji."

 

Oh, yeah. Ichigo almost forgot about the other person who came together with Renji. Finally, he decided to speak up. That man has the most luscious hair she has ever seen despite not being a Servant.

Also, his entire being screams old money.

He is watching Ichigo and Renji akin to a parent who got tired of watching their children fight. 

Renji started, "Captain, what are you talking about? losing to a person like this-"

"She says her name is Ichigo Kurosaki. I knew she looked familiar. Our undercover forces were able to catch the images of her scaring a Menos."

"Her?! Do you expect me to believe that this girl gave was able to defeat a Menos?" Renji pointed at Ichigo accusingly.

"Renji..." The Captain’s patience was tested by his subordinate.

Ichigo almost made a face. This two have a weird superior-subordinate relationship...

"Hey, you! What's your Zanpakutou name?" Renji commanded.

Yuki was not Ichigo's. She never was. The spirit was always Rukia's. Ichigo's not sure if Fray counts.

"I... Don't have one."

Renji scoffed at her. He put his hand on the surface of the steel of his sword.

 

"Roar, Zabimaru!"

 

The sword transforms into an even longer segmented blade; each segment is wider than the one preceding it from the hilt, with two pick-like protrusions on the front and back of each part, with the ones on the front much longer than the ones on the back.

Okay... Transforming swords... Fortunately for Ichigo, it is not the weirdest thing she has ever seen.

Unfortunately for her, it caught her off guard as the sword elongated and struck her other shoulder like a whip.

That was interesting. Ichigo stared at her butchered shoulder cooly. Guess, it is no pressure for faking now.

Ichigo crouched low, clenching her sword with her left hand, and securing her right hand to the back. She wanted to play with it. Experiment with it. Test her luck with Zabimaru

"Ichigo, please stay down-"

Rukia’s plea was ignored when Ichigo struck Zabimaru by pushing it with the tip of her blade. As the blunt side of Zabimaru hit his own maser in the forehead, resulting in a broken visor and a bleeding forehead.

She suddenly moves fast! Did she just increase her spiritual pressure?!

Renji has less time to react when Ichigo surges from his left downside...

 

CLANG

 

Renji was stunned when his Captain Kuchiki intercepted the strike on his behalf. His Captain Zanpakutou is interlocking with Ichigo's and the girl is strong enough to hold off his Captain Kuchiki's strength with just one hand.

She is clever. Renji will give her that. Specifically attacking from Renji's downside left because it is his blindside.

Suddenly he saw Ichigo drag her blade to the side harshly, creating sparks with Captain Kuchiki's sword. She ducked and tried to trip Captain Kuchiki's leg. Instinctively Renji's Captain jumped away and that gave her a clear view of Renji himself.

Renji then felt himself falling backward as Ichigo pushed him forward again with the tip of her blade which he hold off with Zabimaru.

Ichigo then holds her sword up to block Captain Kuchiki's attack from above. She positioned her sword sideways so the opposing slide off because of the awkward angle. Once again interlocking herself with Captain Kuchiki.

Renji observed the fight. This girl... She keeps holding her sword with her left hand because it is more usable than the right, there is a sign of pain on her face and yet she doesn't care.

A trickle of sweat came down from Captain Kuchiki's forehead, "You... Resemble him a lot."

Ichigo gave the captain a dirty look. Resemble who now?

 

The rain came down as if they have been prophesized.

Strategically, Ichigo can use the rain like that time with Grand Fisher...

 

"...but I'm begging you for this once... Do not win."

 

Ah yes. Ichigo's promise to Urahara. He was telling her not to win because everything may be a lot worse. This means it is fine for her to let Rukia go. Urahara only needed it as if there was an opposition.

Strange request he proposes. Didn't he say Soul Society mustn't get their hands on the thing he hid inside Rukia? Why use me, why not get Rukia by himself?

Urahara was trying not to be seen. 

... Not to be seen by what?

Oh well, Urahara's logic is sound anyway. This Captain guy is strong. What would happen if she won against him? A bigger party of retrieval will be dispatched. Probably even more dangerous and she is merely one person.

She must let Rukia go.

Ichigo does her magecraft, she freezes the water rain into shape much slower than that time with Grand Fisher. Captain guy and Renji widened their eyes. Rukia screamed 'DON'T’ with a panicked expression at her.

Renji steps forward but Captain guy holds him back indicating that he will be the one who will finish her.

She smiled when Captain guy beholds his sword at her.

 

“NII-SAMA, NO!"

 

“Scatter, Senbonzakura.”

 

Cherry blossom petals?

Ichigo then felt a thousand pain when the petals pricked all over her body.

... So this is his Zanpakutou abilities, petal blades. 

 

Pretty.

 

A smile was the last thing she gave to Rukia before she passed out... Meh, She is going to be fine, as always.

 

Notes:

Momohara is canonically always asking Ichigo to join the karate club and Ichigo always refused.

When she thought 'play with it', this is Fray and her in synch for a while.
I'm laughing when I compared Renji from manga and anime when he found Rukia, he's like finding a damn Pokemon.
Ichigo gave Rukia a smile before she passed out, which is exactly like Kaien's before he died. Cousins am I, right?

Chapter 12: Thou Must Live

Summary:

This is not the time for dilly dally shilly shally!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

"Ichigo-san, please wake up!" Yuki shook Ichigo's body like a maraca.

"Ichigo, don't die yet!" Kon used his little paw, slapping his master's face.

Ichigo finally awakes. She holds back the two from their frantic act. They are so relieved by it that she was promptly hugged.

Avalon's weather is bright again and the air is extremely breezy today, way too breezy.

Ichigo looked down and found out that she is not wearing a shirt, what is covering her torso are bandaged. Her clothing in the real world reflected in this world too, whoever had been healing her must have taken off her clothes.

"Calm down, if I'm dead I won't be able to visit this world anymore," Ichigo reassures the two who was currently hugging her.

Rukia has gone back to Soul Society and yet Yuki is still here, this is getting even more complicated.

Fray came over and covers Ichigo with a cloak, Merlin's cloak, and covers her with it.

For a brief moment, no one said anything.

Ichigo looked at the back of her right hand, where her Command Seals used to be, looking at it always reminding her of her battle in the past. She was going to scratch it before Merlin covers it with his own hand.

"How many times do we have to tell you not to do that," Merlin said patronizingly, "I swear, I may be a renowned wizard, yet I'm useless when telling you not to do bad habit."

Ichigo cannot help it. Scratching her Command Seals was a habit she developed during her time at Chaldea, first it was because they are itchy, but after that, it became a relief for her anxiety. It took everyone's efforts trying to stop her to do that.

Well, not everyone can be Florence Nightingale.

She also cannot help herself not to stare at Merlin's muscles. Without his cloak, everyone can see how muscular Merlin is. For a wizard, he is a pretty buff guy. Magic skill aside, his martial arts is top notch too since he is the one who taught Arturia. 

Dammit! Why Ichigo's Servant got to be very attractive! Thank God she found her type in Edmont if not she might become an outright pervert!

"Listen, there might be a way to transfer Yuki back to Rukia," Merlin crossed his arms and tapped his chin, "However, what's inside her it's an obstacle. To restore Yuki to her master you need to extract the thing first. I can create a sealing spell, sealing Yuki inside it, and inscribing it in your hand."

Ichigo nodded in understanding. Like a Command Seal.

"Even so, something doesn't add up. Since...Urahara...told us not to win despite him not wanting to hand the thing inside Rukia in Soul Society's hand. It sounded almost personal. Is it really Soul Society he doesn't want to deal or is it something else?" Fray added his opinion, "Anyway, we still have to go to Soul Society. I doubt we can just go straight to Rukia, it's a military organization and trained soldier is everywhere."

Hearing the name Urahara, Merlin raised his eyebrows up and down snootily at Ichigo.

She clicked his tongue and hit his arm, "Do NOT start, Merlin. He doesn't remember anything!"

"You can always start over."

"Can we not talk about this now? We got a Rukia Kuchiki to save," Ichigo chided and tried to remind anyone on the topic, "So about Soul Society, already planning on razing it are we?"

Fray pumped his fist confidently, "Of course, it's what we do best."

"Fray, I'm not proud of that, you know."

"Kiss ass," Fray huffed. He is always much more violent than Ichigo after all, "We're low in power but I'm sure Urahara has a suggestion. We're going to rip him a new one!"

Ichigo karate-chopped her Alter Ego on the head, "No one is ripping anyone a new one!" She turned to Yuki and grabbed both of the spirit's hands, "I promise you that we'll save Rukia, you're going back for her. No matter what. I swear it on my life."

Yuki nodded, her tears falling on her clasped hand.

 


 

Ichigo groaned as she awakened. It has to be a while since the incident since she is this lethargic. She observed her bandages, whoever has been patching her up must have not been an amateur; an experienced combat medic no less.

The shoji door slides open revealing Uryuu, who is bringing a tray of food. Traditional Japanese breakfast consisted of rice, miso soup, salmon, natto. and a glass of green tea.

Ichigo massaged her eyes, "Ishida, didn't expect you to be here." 

"I'm going back after this," Uryuu set the food down. He fixes his glasses, not meeting Ichigo's eyes right away, "Why did you pull me out of the battle?"

"Because I know you're trying to pull a 2.0 on Quincies are better than Soul Reapers. Also, remember the shopkeeper who helps us to clean up your mess? He requested me not to win fighting these Soul Reapers because God knows I have no self-preservation in killing myself," Ichigo drank her miso soup. Oh, that's good stuff, "So, at least when I'm losing, it's twice the injury I get."

"I was not trying to fight those Soul Reapers!" Uryuu denied.

"Why not? It's a great chance."

Ichigo snorted as she sees Uryuu losing in the conversation. 

"... Kurosaki, you're going there, are you? To Soul Society?" Uryuu asked.

"Yes."

Uryuu got up and excuse himself from the room. Guessed he is going home.

 

Once again, the shoji door opened, only this time it was more enthusiastic. Revealing Urahara with a paper fan in his hand. He fans himself in the face while striding in.

"Kurosaki-san! You woke up earlier than I expected!" Urahara said rather gleefully...or maybe that is just how he normally talks nowadays, "Welcome to my humble abode, The Urahara Shop!"

Urahara saw the same skeptical expression on Ichigo's face. There is zero naivety in it and definitely not baited by his jovial demeanor. She is way too suspicious of her surroundings and he cannot help but see a familiar vigil in her body language he used to have when he was an officer at Soul Society.

The girl knew what he is and she does trust not him at all.

"Thank you for the food. Give my compliments to the cook," Ichigo calmly placed the chopsticks on top of the empty rice bowl and grabbed the drink, drinking it slowly, "Urahara-san... You know very well that I'm observing you."

"My, I didn't know that you were interested in me like that," Urahara joked. He is trying to break the overwhelming tension.

"My, will you cut the crap?" Ichigo swiftly snatched one chopstick, holding it in reverse as she tried to stab him in the face.

Urahara easily stops by the wood of his fan. To his hidden surprise, Ichigo looked like she expected him to do that.

"Urahara-san, you have your curiosities and I have mine," Ichigo added some force in the stab and the wood of the fan is starting to show splinter, "You're a smart man. What's your plan to bring back the cat alive?"

 

Ichigo narrowed her eyes at him. How do you plan to win my trust?

 

... Is this about her yesterday saying that I was trying to kill her?

 

Urahara took off his hat with his other hand that is not holding a fan. He gave a sincere expression and wipe off any traces of apprehension. He dips his head as a sign of surrender.

This time Ichigo can see the shopkeeper's eyes more clearly. His grey eyes looked tired, more noticeable with the bags under his eyes. Urahara does not look that old, mid-twenty or early thirties. His stubbles give the impression of a quarter-life crisis, and he is

... Handsome.

Ichigo cursed herself inwardly. Damn her and her type!

 

"You have the assurance that I was never trying to kill you." 

"Kill? No, I think the fancy word is called assassinate." 

Urahara lightly flinched at the display of mistrust. She knows of his assassin's skills. He shakes his head helplessly.

"Once again, never."

Hoping that Ichigo changes her mind, he braves himself to meet her straight in the eyes.

With that, Ichigo let the chopstick fall to the ground.

 

Tessai Tsukabishi, the tall dark man that Ichigo saw once on the rooftop when dealing with Kon, comes in and serves them some more tea. He gave Ichigo a clean yukata for a change of clothes. It is a comfortable light blue with a white flower pattern on the fabric. He said her clothes were being washed and he will give them back after he is done ironing them.

Normally, Ichigo would say he does not have to do that, but she got the feeling that Tessai will not have it.

Ichigo fought the urge to scratch the back of her right hand. Because of her apprehension before, everything became awkward and she does not know who will speak first.

"... Won't you ask about why I think you were trying to kill me?"

"... I think I save it up for later."

... Awkward.

While it does not make Ichigo any less anxious. She is glad that she does not have to explain her apprehension. It is not even an actual apprehension, it is based on a joke. A morbid joke, sure. But... How is she supposed to explain when the other guy who made said joke possible does not remember anything about it?!

Urgh, I hate my luck. 

"You were begging me not to win...why?" Ichigo recalled Urahara's favor from yesterday before she fights Rukia's escorts.

"The Soul Reaper from yesterday was Renji Abarai, he's a Lieutenant, and the other one was a Captain. Soul Society is a military organization that fills with many strong fighters. Now imagine if you did win against them, what would happen?"

"Soul Society will hunt me down... I mean, what are the chances for some random human who manages to beat some of their best warriors, am I right?"

"Exactly. Maybe you get lucky with one Captain and a Lieutenant but what if the whole Soul Society was on you? The main reason why I'm asking not to win was not to reveal your abilities, that itself already determines how dangerous you are to them."

 

Yeah, what an embarrassment to the whole establishment. When fighting Renji and Captain guy, Ichigo does not think she can defeat them let alone outlast them, perhaps if she wields a Divine Construct weapon. That will be like cheating. But then again, her teenage body is not as strong as her adult self. There is a reason why she cannot summon her old sword, only to absorb Rukia that was able to jolt the process.

That is why it felt familiar when she wields Rukia's Zanpakutou. Since she cannot fully summon her old sword, it decided to assimilate itself with the foreign weapon. It does take a while for her power to start coming back. Maybe on her next birthday, she can finally summon her sword.

Even some of her old abilities are not suited for a pubescent body. She can only use some of the Runes; ice, fire, and speed rune. More than that and she will kill herself. 

Being de-aged is not fun for regression is a pain in the ass. 

 

"... You were from Soul Society are you?" Ichigo sees Urahara who opted to stay silent. Okay, a sensitive topic then. no need to answer it, "Are you seriously not going to ask anything trivial?"

"I think I'm going to ask... Why you were thinking I was trying to kill you?" 

"I thought you were going to save it up for later?"

"This is later."

... You piece of shi-- "Well, you were lurking in the background every time I was slaying Hollow." 

"I could be just stalking," Urahara hides his surprise well. How did Ichigo know he was around? Pretty sure he concealed his presence when he was observing her. 

As far as he knew, Ichigo had no training prior to her spiritual power being awaken, she should not be able to tell nor sense any spiritual being that sharp.

"You're not... I know the difference between being stalked and being observed." 

Urahara visibly raised one of his eyebrows. She knew the difference...? Did Isshin's daughter have a firsthand experience of being scouted around by an assassin?!

 

Ichigo decided to hide her nervousness by sipping her tea. It is not wrong that she knew the difference between stalked and observed because of her own Servant Assassin and enemy side Servant Assassin. Sometimes it does not take an Assassin to consider her Servant's obsessive behavior toward her.

Though that was not the exact reason in this case. 

It's a joke man. A joke... Great, now he's going to have some wild guesses about me.

 

"So I'm assuming you are going to help me rescue Rukia then," Ichigo changes the topic.

"Soul Society allows a grace period that lasts a month for the maximum penalty in a convict's execution. It takes seven days to open the gate, after you arrive, you will have thirteen days to stop the execution," Urahara answered almost automatically.

"Thirteen days huh? What is your suggestion for a solution then?" 

"In a matter of ten days, let me train you."

Ichigo blinked. Say what...?

"I know you're skilled, but you should assimilate yourself at how Soul Reaper usually fights."

"No, no. What I mean was what do you mean by 'training' me?"

"Kurosaki-san, you're not expecting yourself to run around Soul Society as a completely normal human. We're going to re-awaken your spiritual power."

 

Oooooh.

 

"But I thought I already have a spiritual power."

"Don't you remember being stabbed in the chest by the captain? He was sealing it."

They can do that? Wait, does this mean I can't use magecraft?

Ichigo grabbed her cup of tea and drew the rune of ice on the cup. The cup and its filling instantly freeze. Nope, her magecraft is still here. But did not Scáthach say her magecraft correlates with her spiritual power? If it was sealed then she should not have been able to do this.

"What did you just do?" Urahara stared at the freezing cup of tea.

Ah...

"Here you go," Ichigo dropped the teacup unceremoniously on Urahara's lap, "I think my clothes are done being ironed. See you in a few days!"

 

 

"What was that about Kisuke?" Yoruichi leaps into the room when the redheaded girl left, "I didn't know that Isshin's daughter is that perceptive, is she in the know about the spiritual world?"

“I'm not sure..." Urahara drinks up his already cold tea while observing the frozen teacup courtesy of Ichigo, "Do you see her using the chopstick like it was a knife?"

"I did. She's used to having other eyes behind her back. A bodyguard?"

"Why would she need a bodyguard? Isshin never reported anything strange about her nor even needing a bodyguard to watch over his daughter."

Supposedly Ichigo Kurosaki is someone who cannot control her Reiatsu, then one day her Reiatsu just stops leaking, like she put a cork on it by herself. Isshin cannot sense it because of his barely recovering spiritual power, so obviously, the man did not spot anything different in his daughter.

Urahara is fond of mysteries, yet right now, he does not have a single clue about Ichigo's situation.

"Could it be she had a teacher?"

"Teaching someone how to control their Reiatsu in the matter of one night? Unless said teacher knew how to create a space where time doesn't flow, I can support that theory," Urahara rests his head on his arm, "Except we didn't spot any person with spiritual power that we didn't know in Karakura Town for the past... Well, this whole year."

"... Is this a good or a bad thing?" Yoruichi's voice is weak.

"I don't know Yoruichi-san, I truly don't know," He should get Tessai to bring out the stiff drinks.

 


 

Ichigo was given a bottle of pills by Urahara, who said to take it at every interval of an hour, those pills speed up her healing and by dinnertime, all of her wounds are gone. She went to school the next morning and someone else sat on Rukia's seat.

"Who are you again?" Ichigo cannot remember the boy's name who sat on Rukia's seat.

The boy shows an expression akin to heartbreak, "It's me Tetsuo Momohara, the one who tried to recruit you to join the Karate club!"

Ichigo still had no idea who that is, "Oh, is that so? Sorry."

It is amazing. Nobody remembers that Rukia ever attends Karakura High School in the first place, what a strong memory displacement spell. What are the chances that Rukia's departure coincides with the summer break? Normal students would go to the beach, hiking, or play video games. Too bad, Ichigo is built differently, she is planning a jailbreak.

Then out of nowhere, her eyes were covered with a white cloth by Keigo, who then spin her around and gave her a bokken.

"Guess where the watermelon is Ichi!" Keigo's head accurately got smacked by the bokken, "OW! Nice try but that is my melon!"

"Sorry Keigo, I can't join in your summer vacation plan."

"What? Don't tell me you already have a plan!" Poor Keigo is so looking forward to spending time with his friends.

"I did...at military school."

Everyone stared at Ichigo in disbelief.

"It's a joke."

She is way over military school, honestly.

 

On the way home, Ichigo was followed by Orihime. She knew of course, rather than catch the other girl off guard, she waits until Orihime speak up.

"Um, Ichigo do you have a minute?" 

"Hey, what's up?" Ichigo was suspicious of the hairpin Orihime wore. Ever since the competition, there are three people in school developing a change in their spiritual aptitude.

She was there when Chad and Tatsuki changed but Orihime, she heard about the 'fairies' from Kon. That hairpin, could it be that those are not some ordinary accessories?

"Why did everyone suddenly forget about Rukia?"

Orihime's immune? If she is, then so are Chad and Tatsuki!

"... She returned to her world."

"Oh..."

"Orihime, can you see me as a Soul Reaper?"

"I... Yes, I see you from afar fighting that super tall monster and I remember everything when you were fighting my brother."

"I see. Well, I'm going to save Rukia because she committed some crime that's technically not her fault. Besides, that crime involves me too, and I already promised to give back what I borrow from her."

"But that world is her home. After you rescue her, what are you going to do when it happens again? Are you going to take her from her family and friends and drag her back here again?"

Ichigo was taken aback, she did not expect something like that from Orihime. It takes her a few seconds to give a reply, "Yeah, does not sound like the right thing to do isn't it? Then again, as long as you're alive, you'll always have a chance of meeting your family."

"I know that!" Orihime smiled, "I know you would answer like that, so go save her, I don't want my friend to die either!"

"I will. Bye Orihime."

 


 

The next day, Ichigo came to Urahara Shop for the promised training. The shopkeeper brought her to a basement, which was revealed to be a large dry field. When she touched the ground, she can feel a thrum of sealing spellcraft.

Amazing. This place felt so real. Magus will sell their soul for a magecraft like this.

"What do you think Kurosaki-san? To do this much in secret beneath all those roads and houses, hehe hehe!" Urahara boasted with a grin which he covered with his fan.

Ichigo knows very well that man does not need to dig dirt for all of this to happen, "... Yes it's amazingly well done," Whatever makes you happy, I guess, "So, when do we start?"

Without warning, Urahara taps the butt of his cane at Ichigo's forehead. She is instantly separated from her body. A chain that she always sees on the human ghosts is now on her chest, connecting herself to her body.

And no Soul Reaper uniform...? 

"Right now, the booster of your spiritual power, Saketsu, and its source, Hakusui, were destroyed by Byakuya Kuchiki. You're now a normal soul without any powers."

Byakuya Kuchiki? Oh, that's the Captain guy's name.

Ichigo then went to think. When her Soul is out of her body, she did not have her Soul Reaper uniform, instead, it is a copy of what she wears. No sword at her side... "Oh, I get it. By sealing my Saketsu and Hakusui, a Soul Reaper will lose all their power. Thank goodness, for a second, I thought he killed someone."

"Killed who?" Urahara asked.

"Don't worry about it."

"... Right. Well, then, first you need to learn how to move in your spiritual body. The more your spiritual powers rise, the sharper the movements of your spiritual body will be."

That sounds familiar, "Are you talking about the fundamentals of spiritual awakening?"

It was one of the many basic lessons that were taught by Scáthach to Ichigo, after knowing the nature of her power. Although her teacher had a different method of extracting the spiritual body out of the main body.

"... I'm sorry, did you just say fundamentals of spiritual awakening?" Urahara felt like he heard that wrong.

"Why yes! Training with a spiritual method can increase oneself durability, strength, and focus. Of course, a blatant attempt is rare nowadays but we all still do it when taking a discipline such as martial arts. Modern times making it less believable."

 

Urahara wanted to ask where the Hell Ichigo got such a view about honing spiritual power. He glanced to his side and saw Tessai staring at Ichigo as if she had grown two heads. Is there something they missed about modern human development within their exile?

Also, who the heck has been calling it 'the fundamentals of spiritual awakening'?!

Though he has a point in saying that training in a spiritual way can increase human's capabilities. The reason why it is less believable is that most of the time the people who study these 'fundamentals' are part of a cult of some kind.

Was she part of a cult then?

 

"Anyway, let's get started by having a little spar. Ururu, come here!" Urahara called out.

Ururu came over, bringing some protective gear to Ichigo. She gives her going-to-be opponent a polite bow, "Pleased to meet you."

Another episode of a child with expendable powers. Ichigo gave the little girl a friendly smile. Ururu was the one who brought that bazooka-looking thing during the Gillian incident.

“Make sure you knock her out before she knocks you out,” Urahara walks out to give the girls their space to fight.

Ururu blushed shyly, "Please put those on first or you will die."

Ah yes, it is Jack the Ripper and Nursery Rhymes all over again. Ichigo takes on her fighting stance, "Bring it on, kid. Give me your best shot!"

 

She didn't even question that she is fighting a little kid. Urahara observes the fight between Ichigo and Ururu.

Ichigo was using some moves from different martial arts techniques. She is slow, obviously because of the state of her soul, yet it does not hinder her to read Ururu’s movements, and recognizing which of Ururu’s attacks that lethal enough to destroy rocks.

Nice moves that one. Urahara mused as Ichigo did a capoeira kick. The speed has increased, and she is getting easier to move, which means her spiritual power is recovering. It is much faster than his calculation.

Tenchō!" Tessai warned.

Ichigo grazed Ururu's cheek.

Time to stop them.

 

Ichigo was trying to hit the headgear not grazing Ururu's cheek. She had no idea why the little girl has gone berserk with the sudden blood spill. She crosses her arms to shield herself as Ururu launched a kick at a high speed, she skidded back and was caught by Tessai. The huge man checking her arms seemed a little bit stunned as he found no injury on her.

"Does it hurt?" Tessai asked.

"No..." Should it be?

Urahara pats Ururu on the head and sighs, "Well, lesson one is finished," Since Ichigo knows about these...fundamentals. Then there is no need for him to explain the effects if she was hit when her spiritual powers had not recovered in time.

"Finished? I thought you said I need to knock her out," Not that Ichigo wanted to give a concussion to Ururu or anything.

"No, it was merely a test to see if you can dodge the first hit or not."

"Oh, shouldn't have taken it too literally then," Ichigo dusted herself off.

So she does think she was going to wrestle Ururu for real. Urahara composes himself, "Time for lesson two then!"

"What? Now?"

"Yes, now. Tessai, do the thing!" 

Tessai cut Ichigo's Chain of Fate with an ax.

 

Notes:

Ichigo was surrounded by capable killers, both friends and foes alike. She knows this kind of character very well. On the other hand, Urahara can see how skillful Ichigo is, but he has to make sure she doesn't kill herself early, just because she's super confident with her abilities.

In Bleach, everyone is like keeping secrets from Ichigo which is annoying. Well screw that, my Ichigo will not say anything else either at them.
Oh, Kisuke, you think you're screwing with people? Please have my Ichigo to make you taste your own medicine.

Chapter 13: Die and Know (Witness)

Summary:

Like how would you kill me?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

A serene place where no one can interrupt his training. Ah yes, it is perfect. The pine trees around him, a waterfall for his bath, calm wind, and birds chirping in the sky.

Peace. Tranquility. Complete solitude-

"I FOUND HIM! GUYS, OVER HERE! I FOUND ISHIDA-KUN!"

Something inside the bespectacled Quincy faltered.

Uryuu turned to find Orihime, Tatsuki, Chad, and a black cat climbing from the path he once took to reach his current destination. How did they able to find him? Let alone trekking and navigating in this mountainous area that his sensei and he only know.

"... How did you guys can find me here?"

"Yoruichi-san shows us the way by following your aura or something," Tatsuki said.

"Who's Yoruichi?"

"I'm Yoruichi." The black cat leaps to his side.

"A talking cat?!" Uryuu squawks in surprise.

 

Uryuu noticed that his three schoolmates have a sudden increase in spiritual powers, they asked him to join their lessons to help Ichigo when raiding Soul Society, and their teacher is Yoruichi, the talking cat. The cat is not normal, but the three of them want to help Ichigo just so the girl will not be going alone, talk about extreme friendship here.

"Thanks for the offer, but I must decline. Also, didn't you have a Karate championship to compete in, Arisawa?"

"This is my training for the championship," Tatsuki smirked. "You sure you don't want to join us?"

"Don't misunderstand, I want to do this on my own, and I never thought of rescuing Kuchiki-san in the first place," Uryuu said, fixing the position of his glasses. "Kuchiki-san is not my problem."

Yoruichi gets up from the rock he has been lazing on. "In that case, there's no point for us to dally here, come along children."

Tatsuki and Chad followed the cat, but Orihime stays a bit. Uryuu already turns his back.

"Ishida-kun, if you ever change your mind, I'll be waiting for you."

 

"I'm sorry Inoue-san, my training can't be allowed to be seen by anyone." Uryuu crouched to open a wooden box with a seal on it. "I beg for your instruction, Sensei."

 


 

The chain was cut by an ax...Ichigo's Chain of Fate was cut by an ax... My Chain of Fate was cut by an ax...

Ichigo's hand instantly goes for Urahara's neck, "I knew it! You are trying to kill me!"

"Wait, no, it's not what you think-Urk. Please, let go, I need mah windpipe...to speakgh."

Normally, Urahara will make a joke about it. If only this Ichigo Kurosaki was a naïve young teenager who he hoped to be able to make fun of. Too bad for him this Ichigo Kurosaki already has a bad impression of him from day one. And my God what a strength she has!

Why is this happening? He missed the day when he is the unpredictable one.

"Time out," Urahara coughed, tapping his fan on the arms that is choking him, "Time out!"

Ichigo scoffed and let go of him.

Urahara coughed several times before clearing his throat, "A severed Chain of Fate will start corroding and it takes at least three days for it to disappear. That's why you need to jumpstart your spiritual power, so you won't become a Hollow."

"Jumpstart my spiritual power? What do you mean by 'jumpstart' my spiritual?! You mean to cram the Soul Reaper Academy lesson in a matter of three days, is that what you mean?!"

Urahara hesitates for a while, "No, I mean the spiritual power you were born with...," He trailed off... Oh dear, she didn't actually know about her father being a Soul Reaper.

Ichigo looked at him pointedly, "You better be clear about what makes one a Soul Reaper, Urahara. Otherwise, none of this is going to work."

"Well, Soul Reapers are unearthly beings living in a world ruled by a different logic than the World of the Living. They possess high spiritual power, Reiryoku, and a body of Reishi. They are invisible to those without spiritual powers," Urahara explained, "When Souls with exceptional spiritual energy train their bodies, they reach the level of Soul Reapers."

Ichigo stares at him for a long time before smirking, "Alright."

Urahara is taken aback by the change of attitude.

 

Ichigo turned her back on Urahara. She was not sure about her situation. Her training to nurture went differently because of her numerous mentor. One is the conception of Fray; whom she achieved after following, mostly Scáthach's teaching; Arjuna's, Karna's, and Suanxang's guidance to purge her Soul. 

Then there was her old sword. Which she later used as an extension of her power foci. Once broken then reforged with an extra ingredient; by etching an amber-colored stone with the symbol of the sun on it.

Said stone was obtained when she fell into the rift. Thinking she was alone until someone came to her side; a lonely figure wearing a white robe, his face covered by a hood, and a mask plastered on his face.

 

 

"I almost forgot. You can have this as a parting gift," The hooded figure took out an amber-colored stone from his pockets, placing it on Ichigo's palm, "My old friend forgot to carry this when she choose to embark on her adventure, I'm sure she won't mind for you having it. In fact, you reminded me so much of her."

Ichigo caresses the stone. Somehow she wondered if it is her imagination for it letting out a warm feeling.

"Thank you, but...what am I supposed to do with this?"

"Oh, I don't know," He said playfully placing his forefinger in front of his mouth, "You'll figure it out."

 

 

Can she summon her old sword now? Ichigo knows she kept it in her pocket space. When it was finished reforged, she was reminded of Muramasa's words, 'Think not of the sword itself to cut down your enemies. Recalls your tales and promises to carry on.'

When she gazes at the clear blue sky with Mash.

Her hopes and prayers as she stood at the Edge of the World.

When the way forward is hidden from the mind's eye, fear not of the despair, but the light within myself.

All she ever wanted was to protect and go back to her comrades, friends, and family.

 

We fight, together as one!

 

The stone glowed and she remembered fighting side by side with Fray, in the space of broken time... I think...This is what I'm going to do

 

Urahara wants to know what is inside Ichigo's head. She was silent for a long time and was so deep in her thought that she did not notice the chains has started to eat themselves.

Uh, oh. Not good.

When he lifted the teenage girl and throws her into a hole that had been dug by Ururu, he found it strange when she show no resistance. No complaints or curses were being thrown at him.  He heard a thump when Ichigo landed on the ground. Thankfully he did not hear any crunch. Good, no broken bones were caused by the fall.

"Kurosaki-san you better change into a Soul Reaper before the times up!" Urahara bellowed down. Promptly stopping Tessai who was going to get into the hole, "Change of plan, let's see if she can overcome it without a binding."

"Tenchō, that's too risky!"

Without a binding, Ichigo will be turning into a Hollow much faster!

"Is she sleeping?" Jinta questioned out of the blue.

"What?!" Urahara and Tessai chorused.

"She's sleeping," Ururu confirmed.

Urahara is both flabbergasted and curious, he jumped down to check. Ichigo lay on her back, arms clasping together on top of her tummy, and she looked very peaceful. The Chain of Fate however did not stop its corrosion.

Wait a minute, this is not sleeping. He knows this state of calmness, this is Jinzen!

 

Jinzen, this method is the only way to carry on a proper conversation with one's Zanpakutou.

For Ichigo, this is not Jinzen.

There is no name for it since she does not wield a Zanpakutou, she simply diving into a state where she can communicate with Fray.

She arrives in a place that once was her dream. Never was a city more magnificent, from the humblest streets to the highest spires. Blue, green, and purple shone in its stone and glass. She gleamed so beautifully. Amaurot was its name. Magical recreations of cities from highly advanced civilizations at their height, made by their respective leaders to preserve their people's legacies in the face of calamity. As said by the lone-hooded figure to Ichigo a long time ago.

Landing gracefully on a patch of grass in front of some grand building, it is night, stars scattering on the sea of eve in her inner world.

"About time, I almost thought you weren't coming," Fray appeared from a shroud of darkness, "Shall we take a walk?"

They looked so small walking around the road of white marble around the big empty city. Despite the emptiness, it does not exude loneliness; there are flying manta rays passing through, and at the edge of sight, a huge whale the size of an island was swimming in the sky.

"So, what are we going to do?" Fray started.

"Who knows," Ichigo stretched her arms lazily.

Fray stopped in his tracks, and Ichigo turns to face him. At that moment, it is like facing a mirror. The other self-conjured up the amber stone with the symbol of the sun on his palm. He throws it into the air as it forms elongated into a sword.

The sword was sheathed in a black scabbard, tied in blue sageo, the handle was black with white menuki, and the guard was four-edged silver of spade look-alike.

Fray throws it at Ichigo, who caught it steadily.

"Go raise some Hell Ichigo."

Ichigo chuckled faintly as she unsheathed the sword from the scabbard. The metal gleamed beautifully.

"Aye, I remember the day Senji Muramasa forged this sword."

"Leave it to an old man who dreamt to forge a sword to cut Fate. It's a miracle it retains its existence even after you come back. Then again, our habit of breaking expectations is a fact to behold, that's why Da Vinci filed our track record."

The sky around them is turning orange, it is almost time for dawn. A sign for the world to wake up.

Fray sighed, "Ichigo, there are a lot of things we need to discuss in concern of us. I wish we have more time."

"Time? After Chaldea, we got all the time in the world buddy," Ichigo twirled the sword casually, "I mean even if I am dying right now."

"Except we came back from the dead multiple times," Fray took off his templar helmet, revealing the kind face of a man, with tousled brown hair, and a pair of brilliant blue eyes with a scar on the right one. He tidies up his hair, "Urahara threw you into a hole."

"You mean, he threw us into a hole," Ichigo corrected.

 

Ichigo took a deep breath in the real world. Her eyes glinted blue. She held out her hand and said her command, "Come to me."

 

Urahara quickly retreats from the hole, as Ichigo's chains were completely gone from eating themselves, there is a surge of Reiatsu, and he thought he saw faintly that Ichigo summoned a sword. He and Tessai swept Jinta and Ururu away, finding a huge rock to take cover.

There is no scream, only a single note of melody echoing in Urahara's training dome.

The ground is shaking, as a light of gold and blue circling in the air.

Is Ichigo turning into a Hollow?

Urahara pulls the head of his cane, revealing a sleek blade, and braces himself. In case there is a sudden attack.

Thick layers of dust cover everyone's vision. When it is finally thinning, there Ichigo standing tall, in a Soul Reaper standard uniform, the shihakushō. Though there is a slight variation; the arms are covered in long fingerless gloves and instead of wearing the traditional straw sandal, she is wearing an ankle boot. On her face was a mask, dark in color, slightly protruding, with scales on the surface, and sharp fins on each side of the head. It is almost a reminisce of a dragon. In her hand is a sheathed katana.

Ichigo lifts her arm. All the shop residents brace themselves, thinking she was going on a rampage, only to see the girl taking off the mask to reveal an amused expression. Said mask crumbles away soon after.

Of course, that gearhead conjured up by itself. She thought amusedly.

Urahara never sees anything like it. A dark Hollow mask? From afar, the mask looked made out of steel, the eerie part was it has four pairs of eye holes and they were glowing in shades of red. Compared to what he has ever seen, Ichigo's mask gave out a clear sign that she is ferocious. How could it not? With a mask reminisce of a beast like that.

Nothing seems to be dangerous at the moment. Urahara decided to repress his curiosity with fanfare.

"You have changed into a Soul Reaper! Congratulations, you've passed the second test!" He said in celebration.

Ichigo decked the blond with the butt of her sword.

"Shut up! What is wrong with you for throwing me into a hole?!" 

"Ow! I have to, if not the crossfire would have been worse." Urahara nurses his face, "Anyway, there's no time to lose, get ready for the next lesson!"

 


 

Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime had spent a lot of time unsuccessfully summoning their powers. Yoruichi sighed hopelessly, this is getting nowhere, if they cannot call their powers as easy as breathing, there is no way they can go to Soul Society. It is asking for suicide.

"Listen, imagine holding a sword trying to protect something. Might be one's life, reputation, things that one loves, or things that one believes; good or bad, the motives to protect do not change. So, remember, what were you trying to protect." Yoruichi explained.

"... I was trying to protect Tatsuki-chan," Orihime said.

"Me?" Tatsuki blinked.

"Yeah, you always protect me all the time so, at that time, I want it to be my turn to protect you..." The hairpins on Orihime's hair glowed briefly.

"Your hairpin just glowed!"

"That's right, heart and soul are connected, but what's more important is where the heart is. Now, why do you want to go to Soul Society?" Yoruichi asked.

Why did Orihime want to go to Soul Society? To protect Ichigo, of course! With that, her hairpins separated into six parts, and the spirits from that time she was fighting a Hollow at school appeared.

"You foolish woman, why did you call us out?! There is no danger here!" Tsubaki angrily shouts, pouncing at Orihime.

"Stop it! Bad Tsubaki, bad!" Shun'o pulls the male spirit away from their master.

It became lively very quickly with the appearance of these spirits.

"Good next is to learn how to control them," Yoruichi wondered if it is going to be alright for Orihime. She's being hit by the spirits she's supposed to control, "Well, it's your two turns now, and a reminder for you Miss Arisawa, if you want to improve at the same time with your nearing championship, you better learn fast."

Chad and Tatsuki look at each other helplessly. Is it truly just to protect Ichigo? They know that one friend of theirs is a complete heck of raging nature. In short, Ichigo does not need protection, but they knew that most of the time she is lonely. When they see the redhead fighting Hollow, sacrificing herself for their safety... it felt suffocating.

"I want to strangle her sometimes, that sacrificial dumbass..." Tatsuki sighed, "What I want was..."

"Fighting at her side," Chad finished. 

They want to fight side by side with Ichigo; they want her to know that she was not fighting alone.

 


 

This is the part that Urahara had been waiting for, it is his chance to see how good Ichigo is at fighting. Swordsmanship, martial arts, and Kidou, this girl has it all, he must see it! 

"Third test has no time limits," He pointed to his bucket hat, "Use your Zanpakutou to cut down my hat, it'll count as a win!"

Then he narrowly dodged an attack sent straight toward him. Iaijutsu? She certainly wastes no time.

Thankfully, Urahara stepped back fast enough to avoid his whole face getting cut once again, and the tip of his hat was already snipped. Now, he saw the whole blade of Ichigo's Zanpakutou, the sword tip is kissaki-moroha-zukuri style, sharp edges upside-down. What a dangerous blade. 

"Come now, Urahara-san we all know you wanted a fight." Ichigo spins her sword leisurely.

We? Is she referring to her Zanpakutou too? She met them already. Urahara pulls out his sword and steadies himself.

The sound of two steel crossing each other resounds in the field.

"If you wanted a good fight, all you need is to ask," Ichigo smirked coyly.

"Oho, I'll keep that in mind then," Urahara himself can sense Benihime thrilling.

 

What a challenge!

 

Fray smacked the back of Ichigo's head, the latter was but laughing gleefully. She stops when the sun was starting to rise, shining reflected in the glass of the beautiful city.

"You suicidal idiot! You only have a body of a fifteen years old, if we get flattened, that's your fault!" 

"Sorry, sorry," Ichigo wheezes uncontrollably, "Dear me, guess I am turning crazy!"

Fray crossed his arms, "A requirement befitting of Scáthach's apprentice, unfortunately."

Dawn arises in this world. It is indeed a sight to see.

 

"Awaken, Benihime!" 

 

There is a sound of launched fireworks, Ichigo narrowly avoided a blood-red energy blast, and the large rock she used as stepping disintegrated. She let out a low whistle, that was deadly.

Urahara's reminded her of Okada Izou, the manslayer. A swordsman with assassin skill, neat. However, his wardrobe, the bucket hat, and his haori reminded Ichigo of a billowing cape...

Hmm, who was it? Edmond Dantés, of course. Well, at least he did not have that ungodly laugh.

I'm definitely losing my mind for missing Edmont at a time like this.

"Kurosaki-san, you are way over your head, better pay attention."

Ichigo rolled out when a sword came down like a judgment. She took a deep breath, before laughing weakly, "Haha. Oh, man. I'm definitely insane."

Urahara raised one of his eyebrows. What kind of a reaction was that?

So far, Ichigo managed to get some bits of his hat, should he call it impressive? No, he expected more. Dashing forward and running straight Benihime is at the center, expecting Ichigo to use her sword to block it to the side, blades sparked, colliding steel ringing in her ear.

"I told you to pay attention," Urahara said with a severe tone, "Nake, Benihime!"

Ichigo left vision filled with red, laced with bloodlust, intending to decapitate her.

 

Fray is in awe.

"Fuck." 

"Fuck is right. Looks like we're both suicidal," Ichigo not caring her left side is bleeding, the injury is also reflected in her inner world, "So, what do I do? Shout out your name like how those Soul Reapers do."

Fray, is grinning like he found some cheat code in gaming, "Hey now, our mentors shout the name of their name quite often too. Here's the thing. For a start, think of Ea, a sword with a Divine Construct as an aspect."

Ichigo rested her hand on her hip, "Ea? Using Ea as an example felt way too overachieving."

"Any mystical mumbo jumbo sword. Anyway, what do you think of a sword with a Zanpakutou as an aspect?"

"You mean after all this time, our sword can hurt spiritual beings?" 

"Yes, we can talk about it later. I believe someone had prepared a name for said aspect. They call it..."

 

Urahara brought his sword in defense when Ichigo raises her sword. For a second nothing happens, then she swerved in a circle, swaying her weapon and delivering a wave of fire at him.

Her Zanpakutou is a fire type? Wait the sword is still sealed. Then what is this fire-?

Urahara saw the reflection of his eyes on the flat steel of a blade as he avoided a flying sword.

Throwing her sword? Well, isn't that just carele-

His train of thought was cut short when he see Ichigo above him, her hand shot toward him, and a burst of lightning lit up from the tip of her fingers. 

Urahara easily creates a red shield to protect himself, not expecting Ichigo to land on it. Thinking that she is doing close-range combat by throwing either fire or lightning again, he reflectively throws her away with enough force to make her fly. 

When Ichigo landed, Urahara realized he was throwing her in the direction where her sword had been lying on the ground. She's been planning this all along?

Ichigo flipped in the air to avoid a harsh collision with the ground and swept her sword up. Angling her body to the front, stances in the way Kojirou Sasaki taught her.

 

"Strife of the Heaven... Zangetsu!"

 

"Nake!" Urahara quickly conjures up a shield. 

 

The explosion is loud enough to shake the whole training ground. From afar, a blue beam seemed to crash on the red pillar.

When the dust finally settled, everyone can see the change in Ichigo's sword. The blade was black as night, the shape looked like a modified saber, and its length is of a daito. It has no guard, long thin white clothes act as a safety for the hand. The blade tip is symmetrical and both edges of the blade are sharp.

In Urahara's opinion, it is an odd sword, but still menacing, nonetheless.

Also, damn she is smart. The lightning Ichigo shot at him was meant to flick his hat off. With it fluttering away amid the fire, and not giving him the chance to grab it, Ichigo struck it as she unseals her Zanpakutou. It did not forget his shield either, the conjured hexagonal crimson barrier was broken like glass, and without it, he could have lost an arm.

"You pass," Urahara grabs his utterly destroyed hat, "And killed my hat. Kurosaki-san you are one hell of a scary kid."   

"Thanks, I'm going to sleep now," Ichigo walked away. She cracked her back and whispered, "Argh, It's not even a month since I came back and I'm forced to work out."

"He's cute without the hat," Fray helpfully supplied.

"Shut up, Fray.

 


 

At the mountain, Uryuu balled his fist, it is covered in white and blue striped gloves, it is a success, he finally did it!
"Yes! Thank you, Sensei."

 

"Sado-kun! Tatsuki-chan! You guys did it!" Orihime cheered. She grabs her friend’s hand and raises it in the air, "We finally can go to Soul Society!"

Chad punched a wall with his armored hand and Tatsuki kicked some pillars with her fiery leg. It was fun until they heard the police siren. They did destroy some portion of a public building, abandoned or not.

"It's not the time to celebrate! Run you fools!" Yoruichi berated, "Idiots! Use the back door!"

 

Notes:

- The blue sageo in Ichigo's sword has a significant reference to the blue rose, which symbolizes mystery or attaining the impossible. The shade of the blue is the dragoon blue dye.
- The sword guard is based on Virtuous Deed, 2B's signature blade.
- Kissaki-moroha-zukuri style is famously applied to Kogarasumaru, a Tachi sword.
- Ichigo's Hollow mask is based on Antiquated Dragonlancer's Mesail.
- Ichigo's Shikai form is a mix between Nier Automata Type-40 and Virtuous Contract.
I wanted to emphasize that my Ichigo is a versatile fighter, unlike the OG one.
Yes, Fray has the face of Meteor dude aka Derplander, the FFXIV poster boy.

Chapter 14: Brazen and Bright

Summary:

I'm walking on sunshine Woah, and don't it feel good -JUST KIDDING, WE'RE GOING TO SOUL SOCIETY!

Notes:

Realized Ichigo Bankai is coming right up....
Begrudgingly pick up a pencil to concepts,
... and crying.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo prepares herself to go to Shibuya. Today is Tatsuki's final round of the karate championship. She did not tell her childhood friend or anyone that she would come. Putting the prepared gift into her bag, she set off to the train station.

She does not particularly like mingling in national competitions because...Well, this is Japan. It is a pothole of people with ancient lineage within their families who traditionally follow the arts of Jujutsu, Hōjutsu, Ommyō Dō, and Shikigami. 

Unlike in the West, these people had no problem following the development of technologies through the ages, making them hard to discern in public. What makes it even harder was that wearing traditional clothes in Japan in daily life is considered a norm. Ichigo bet that guy wearing striped hakama is a master swordsman or a Hōjutsu practitioner. Or maybe he is just a regular gut commuting from one place to another place.

You never know until they gave look you in the eyes and their paranoia starts to go haywire but usually, they simply acknowledge each other and move on. Unless, if their families are rivals.

When Ichigo looks at the list of competitors, she found at least ten prominent families that are traditionalists. Not to mention, those families are quite possibly related to each other because of the political marriage.

She does not why but she was glad she found no Myourenji in it.

 

Speaking of Myourenji, Ichigo wondered if Scandinavia Peperoncino still killed the children who were kidnapped by the tengus, whom they will abandon when they could not keep up with the training. Aside from that, she wondered...

How is he today?

 


 

47th JKA All Japan Karate Championship

Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium

Sendagaya, Shibuya City, Tokyo

 

People are cheering their champions, Orihime and Chad sit side by side among their schoolmates, Karakura High School had come to support Tatsuki, they brought banners and stuff. Keigo especially put on a headband with 'FIGHTING' written on it, leading the chants of 'Arisawa, Go Arisawa!'

"Tatsuki-chan, do your best!" Orihime shouted as loud as she can. Chad is beside her, silent as ever, enjoying the atmosphere around him.

"It's almost felt like a soccer game match, our schoolmates sure are something else."

Orihime and Chad are surprised by the new voice, it is Uryuu!

"Ishida-kun, you came!" Orihime happily greets the bespectacled teen. Chad simply nodded at the arrival.

Uryuu looks around the rows filled with the Karakura High School residences, "Kurosaki is not here?"

"Ah well, we tried to contact Ichigo, but we can't seem to get a hold of her."

"Military school is strict," Chad supplies. Truthfully, he was joking.

"Oh yeah, you're right!"

Uryuu twitched his eyebrows hearing Orihime take Chad's answer seriously.

 

Tatsuki is in the locker room, having a brief break and drinking some water. After this, she is going to fight Risa Wakabayashi, and that girl is very much what you call a prodigy. Of all participants, Wakabayashi's skill was clearly among the top as she easily reaches the top, but Tatsuki had a bit of a struggle even by fighting the last one. Yoruichi pressed her to be careful not to manifest her power, considering it as control training. Which is fair, honestly. What national news it would make that Tatsuki catches on fire in the middle of a match.

"Risa Wakabayashi, huh? In my advice, Tatsuki, you should go all out on her," said the newcomer.

"Ichigo?!"

Only staff and participants are allowed to go in, so Tatsuki assumes her childhood friend was breaking in to be able to get to her. Which makes her wonder when Ichigo becomes such a burglar. Ichigo's wardrobe also looks like someone that will rise suspiciously by just walking beside her, with a green hooded jacket, shirt, cap, and mask in black.

"Are you planning on stealing a store after this or what?" Tatsuki gave Ichigo a piercing gaze.

"Don't be silly, I'm not that bored," Ichigo chuckled playfully and took out a wrapped gift with a red ribbon on it, "Here, for you." 

Tatsuki opens it to founds a red bracelet with silver beads; a single cylindric bead paired with round beads at the end of each side. It is not gaudy jewelry for a tomboy like her.

"Now I know you're not allowed to wear jewelry during a match but think of it as a good luck charm. Sorry for coming only during the final, I was busy the days before." 

"It's okay..." Tatsuki inspects the bracelet, "So, go all out against Wakabayashi?"

"Trust me. I wish you luck, Tatsuki," Ichigo pats Tatsuki on the shoulder. Because that Wakabayashi chic is an Onmyoudou user.

Ichigo left soon after. Tatsuki holds the bracelet, the two competitors' name is announced, and it is her time for her final match. She took a deep breath, filling herself with conviction; this match is the peak of her training, no superpower, she will go out there with pure skill and her heart.

 

The reason why Ichigo gave her childhood friend a good luck charm was that... It does not seem she ever shows great support for Tasuki's passion. Even today, she only came at the final and left, so she can stock her crafting materials over at Taito city. She crafted that bracelet for Tatsuki to show her hope for her.

She should have done it a long time ago, but then again, better late than never.

Maybe she should stick for a little while, it is the last match after all.

 

From afar, Ichigo was watching from the highest point on the row of seats. She saw Tatsuki and Wakabayashi exchange numerous jabs, and none of the two wants to back down. Tatsuki then sends a kick, Wakabayashi skilfully dodges, and the crowds are so mesmerized by the display of the two delivered.

Ichigo grimaced, this is not a normal karate match anymore.

It is a fight between seasoned fighters.

 

The thing is when someone came from a family that practiced Onmyoudou. They 'walk' differently, which is why Ichigo can guess when she passed Wakabayashi in the hallway. She thought she feel Wakabayashi send her a brief gaze of suspicion. Guess the competitor knows that Ichigo was not supposed to be there.

Two possible things can come out of being an Onmyoudou, either you are the greatest caster or the best fighter.

Much like the Association, the Onmyoudou have their community but refused to work with the Western side since they do not want their thousand-year worth of cultivation to get corrupted by foreigners. Although, if their service is needed, they can get hired.

Money.

One factor that kept the world running. No matter how absurd the people are.

 

"Do you think Tatsuki-chan will win?" Orihime wondered.

"I don't know, her opponent is very strong," Uryuu even sweated seeing the fight.

Chad slurped his soda in anticipation.

 

"How fascinating to see you around here, Former Chaldea Master, Ichigo Kurosaki."

Ichigo almost choked on the snacks she purchased in the cafeteria. It is not that enjoyable and is somewhat corn flavored. She looked up to see a tall man with impeccable fashion; a sleek flower-patterned suit, skin-tight undergarments, and a black tie. The hair was dyed pink and the shaved part was dyed lilac. The man confidently uses blue lipstick on his lips.

She only knows one person in her life who has quite a fashion taste.

"I totally jinx myself today. You know I was just thinking about you doing when I took the train to get here, Pepe-san."

"Oh my, you do miss me, Ichigo-chan. I'm flattered," Pepe teased.

"... How's the other?"

"Well... Kirschtaria and Ophelia are in Britain; the last thing I hear Kadoc went to Russia, the slave of love he is; Hinako's at the Throne of Hero, Daybit is in the future, and... I killed Beryl."

Ichigo almost choked on her snacks, again, "You killed Beryl?!"

"Kirschtaria hired me."

It is not a secret that the despite being a fellow Crypters, Beryl is not very well-liked in the group. Not even his Servant, Morgan le Fay, liked him. 

"How is it? Killing him?"

Pepe reaches out his hand to grab some of Ichigo's snack, "When I arrived before him, he is definitely someone who just waits to be killed out of fun. He said it's fine because life isn't that interesting without Chaldea...without Mash," He rolled his eyes as he chewed the snacks. He then reveled in disgust, "Girl, you ate this shit?"

Ichigo laughed wholeheartedly, "I eat it to kill time, not for its taste. By the way, what are you doing here?"

"Some bodyguard job. That Wakabayashi chic is going to get be engaged to a prominent family and I was hired to get rid of the potential assassination attempts."

"Easy stuff, then?"

"Oh yeah. What about you?"

"Tatsuki Arisawa is my childhood friend, I'm here for moral support."

Pepe hummed in confirmation.

 

Tatsuki moves one second much faster and lands the winning blow!

The Karakura High School cheers blaring loudly in the gymnasium.

 

Ichigo stood up, preparing to leave. She hold out her hand for a handshake, "Well, it's been nice meeting you again, Pepe-san."

Pepe accepted the hand and gave a firm shake, "You too, Ichigo-chan."

 


 

Winner of the 47th JKA All Japan Karate Championship, Tatsuki Arisawa!

 

In the photograph in the newspaper, Tatsuki wore the bracelet given by Ichigo.

 


 

There is a fireworks festival that annually happens every year in the neighboring city, Isshin is always so energetic about it, even claims that he slept on a sidewalk last night to have the best spot to watch it. Ichigo's father and Keigo get along so well in matters of festivities, even says Isshin is not bad at all for an adult.

"Hey Ichigo, thanks for the lucky charm, without it, I might not be able to win," Tatsuki playfully nudges her childhood friend. Even now she is still wearing the bracelet.

"What? Ichigo you were there? I didn't see you," Orihime said.

"I left after they announce Tasuki's win, I have some errands to do." More like stocking ammunition for the incoming D-day. Ichigo was promptly crashed by her little sisters, they look strangely cheery and red-faced, Yuzu nudged her face with her chocolate-dipped banana, forcing her to eat it. Wait, are they- are they drunk? She smelled a lingering sake around them, "Dad, are they drunk?!"

"Old Man Ken was selling juices at the food stall. He mistook the water with sake, and he thought the juices are too strong, so he replaced it with water." Isshin is swaying too.

They are all drunk! Ichigo facepalmed, thank goodness it was not that bad, her family still has enough function over that body to run into the spot where Isshin booked to see the fireworks. That old man named Ken is shrewd enough that she should call the polices on him...and her dad too maybe. Ichigo feels like a headache is coming, and Orihime tries to console her by patting her back.

 

Seven days after the festival, Urahara sends her a message about the gate to Soul Society by sending an exploding balloon into her room. The balloon crashed onto her cupboard, revealing a message as if it is written in blood, because the light is not on, shading the words even darker.

That absolute fucker! He filled with strawberry jam!

Asking her to leave tonight and yet he made a message out of something that will turn rancid if she leaves it. Ichigo took a deep breath. This is fine.

I'm so going to deck him again!

 

Before she can make her way to the shop, her instinct of avoiding her father's daily attacks is ringing. Ichigo takes two steps to the side and lets Isshin fall face-first on the pavement. Her old man knows that she was leaving before dawn today. How suspicious... 

"Cut it out old man, what are you doing?"

Isshin handed out an omamori (a good luck charm) what a dusty little thing.

"Your mom gave it to me, when you come back make sure you give it back."

Ichigo bit the inside of her mouth and tastes her blood. He knows. Her father knows everything, Urahara must have been informing him or Isshin can always see her as a Soul Reaper. It sprouts even more questions inside her head, though one thing is clear, her father had been hiding something from her after all this time. Should she call him out?

"Alright, I'm borrowing this then," Ichigo gave her father a (fake) reassuring smile. There is a sense of bitterness inside her.

 

Everyone sees Ichigo decked Urahara in the face with the end of her sword sheath... again. She did not say anything as she walks over to her friends, who choose not to address the matter, and the black cat, Yoruichi, is laughing at the shopkeeper's misery.

"Do you have to?" Urahara said in a pained tone.

"Yes."

At first, Kon wanted to go but Urahara advised him not to, because he is technically a fugitive himself at Soul Society, if they know he is an escaped Mod Soul, chances are he will be caught and experimented on. So, he has to pretend to be Ichigo until the body owner came back from Soul Society. He had been given a lot of tasks just by pretending to be his master, one of the most important was replying to Merlin's texts, if not, Ichigo's phone will get spammed.

As Ichigo bid her farewell, she pats the Carbuncle’s head (her head). "You can leave my body when it's time for bed and don't forget of my old man's daily antics."

"Okay... Ichigo, you promise you to come back."

"Of course," She pumped her chest with her right hand. The hand that is etched with a magic seal that she and Merlin created in Avalon, if activated in Rukia's vicinity, Yuki will come back to her wielder.

They heard Urahara clap his hand to get their attention. "Alright let me explain how this door works. The only one who can move freely is Kurosaki-san because she's a soul, so the door will act as a converter for you humans, but the problem is time. Because the normal time allowed to go through it is only four minutes."

"And what happens if we get trapped?" Ichigo questioned.

"You will be locked inside a 'Dangai', a bridging world between Soul Society and the Human world. The thing is, to prevent enemies such as Hollows, it's filled with a current called 'Kouryuu', it stops souls from moving, just one foot caught by it the chance of leaving Dangai in time almost impossible."

"Then we just need to make it in time, we decided to be here, so we got nothing to lose." Tatsuki fisted her palm.

Ichigo wonders where Tatsuki got her combat gloves, it has vambraces and the material seems very durable. Is it the black market? Oh, she is also wearing the bracelet again.

"We plan to win, Yoruichi-san," Ichigo said resolutely.

"Well said." 

Urahara and Tessai activate the gate, and the Karakura gang waste no time dashing in.

 

Urahara touches the portal and the energy running on it electrocuted him in refusal. He balled his burned hand, "It's all up to you, Kurosaki-san.”

 

Ichigo is low-key panicking, not because she thinks the Dangai is scary, but because she questioning too many unanswered questions about 'Oh my God, is this the Void Space? How are we not dead yet? How are we running around here without Nemo's Nautilus?', and here she thought she had seen everything concerning the dimension. The good thing about this 'not Void Space' was they still able to breathe, which is a good thing, the air does smell like ozone though, meaning there is a concentration of ether here.

The wall around began collapsing, ah so this is the Kouryuu, Dangai's equivalent of white blood cells. Uryuu's flapping part of his clothes caught by it, Chad helps him out and slung the Quincy over his shoulder. Then the gang heard a train getting closer... that is weird, why would there be a train in a place like this?

"GUYS, THERE'S A TRAIN COMING RIGHT UP!" Uryuu warned.

"That's not a train, it's the Kototsu! Comes to clean this place every once in a week, it's just our bad luck that it has to be today!" Yoruichi keeps urging the band of teens to keep running.

Every once in a week? Ichigo remembered Urahara's message that came in seven days after the festival, August 1st to 8th... That son of a- 

"We won't make it! Orihime makes a shield!"

"Ichigo don't-"

"None of our souls will be licked by it! Everyone, when I'm blasting that thing jump on the shield, we'll get pushed out by it!"

Ichigo is gathering the ethers, concentrating them into a plasma, Orihime creates her triangular shield.

Yoruichi widened his cat eyes. Kidou? No! She’s not using Reiryoku?! 

"JUMP!" 

Ichigo throws the plasma at the Kototsu, creating a blast that pushes them out from the Dangai.

 

They landed in an Edo-styled neighborhood, Chad and Tatsuki manage to stick the superhero landing, while Ichigo and Uryuu, are less sophisticated. 

"Wow, Ichigo the way land shows tremendous artistic flair." Orihime, the sweet summer child, can think otherwise.

Uryuu huffed. "I knew it would get through that gate, but I have no idea that it would take a toll on my equipment," He pulled a new piece of clothing from his lapels. "I wasn't expecting to use my spare cape so soon."

"Wow, did you hide other parts of clothes inside there too?" Tatsuki drawled.

"Hmmph, at least unlike you I have a sense of style."

"Yeah, yeah whatever."

These children are way too relaxed. Yoruichi sweated.

 

Is there are no people in the neighborhood? The emptiness felt like the house were just simply a diorama. Across, there was some similar building only they are built on top of a shining rich blue pavement, segregation in the land of the dead. Ichigo had read Dante's Inferno, and this was not it. This was no layers of Hell, but social segregation of poor and riches. 

"Is this Soul Society?" Ichigo can see the political system already.

"Yes, the place we landed on is called Rukongai, it's the poorest, most free, and most populated area. Over there is called Seireitei, it's where Soul Reapers live." Yoruichi explained.

"That's great! That means Kuchiki-san is right over there!"

"Wait Orihime," Ichigo held up her hand, "Rukia explained that the Soul Reapers are the fighters in Soul Society, which means the Seireitei over there is an army base. See what's lacking just by looking on the outside?"

"There are no guards," Chad concluded.

"Exactly, that alone is unusual."

Or... Ichigo picks up a stone, walks to get closer to the blue pavement, and throws it. Nothings happen, well that is just a regular rock, she took one step on the pavement, and walls rain down from the sky. As expected, it has an other-worldly security system. Ichigo, not fazed by the dust created by the falling heavy objects, just assesses the sight in front of her. Automatic walls, hmm not bad.

Yoruichi inwardly gawked, he appreciates critical thinking. Kisuke was right, that girl has balls made of steel.

 

Ichigo notices there is a shadow that grew to loom over her, looking up, it is a person the size of a Spriggan. His uniform half-covering his torso, wearing a red Fez like that monkey from Aladdin, and funnily his mannerism is that of a gorilla. She snorted at the images in her head. Bless Yuzu and her obsession with Disney. 

"It's been so long since someone wants to break through without a pass," He said as to bringing out his gigantic ax.

Huh, the more thing that reminded Ichigo of a Spriggan.

"Ah yes... Hello, what's your name?" This giant can speak coherently unlike Spriggan, it piques Ichigo's curiosity even more.

 

"What the...Ichigo, you idiot! " Yoruichi shouted at the redhead who is approaching the giant man, "Don't ask him that!"

 

"My name is Jidanbou Ikkanzaka!" Jidanbou bellowed.

"See, it's no problem," Ichigo gave a thumbs up, "Hi, I'm Ichigo Kurosaki, nice to meet you!"

 

"So... This Jidanbou guy, who is he?" Uryuu decided to avert his attention from Ichigo's shenanigan.

Yoruichi scratched his ear in... Stress? If the cat is human, he is probably pinching the bridge of his nose, "He's one of the elite guards of Soul Society, there are four gates, and Jidanbou guards the western gate, Hakoutoumon. He's been guarding for three hundred years.”

"How strong is he?"

"A swing from his ax and you'll disappear from this world, he's the legendary Hercules." Too bad Ichigo is not near enough to hear that. "Ichigo, retreat! We'll come up with a plan -Hey where are you three going?!"

Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime ran toward Ichigo intending to help, only to be stopped by Jidanbou's descending ax. The ground surged, creating a wall between them and Ichigo.

"How uncivilized. In this city they are three rules; first, wash your hand when you come back home; second, no eating food that has fallen on the ground; and three, duels are nothing else but one-on-one."

Ichigo takes a double-take at that, two domestic rules, and lastly a fighting rule. Who the Hell had been telling this guy about such a thing?

"And Miss Ichigo Kurosaki came to me first, before I'm finished with her, you should keep quiet."

Aww, he called her 'Miss' how cute, "It's alright guys I can handle him," Ichigo informed her friends, it is not like they knew about her ever-fighting enemies in Jidanbou's sizes before, there is one spell where she launched herself and planted it on the Spriggan's head. It can crumble their stature easily, though it is overkill for Jidanbou since she does not want to kill him.

"What are you saying-" Tatsuki did not have the chance to finish, because Uryuu came sauntering in.

"Yeah, exactly what Arisawa said! You've seen how strong Jidanbou is, I don't care what you have learned in the past ten days with that shopkeeper, but this is the type you can handle by yourself!"

"Oh, you're here to Ishida?" Ichigo piped up.

"I've been here the whole time!" Uryuu ticked by it.

"Sure, I recovered my power in two days, but all do was just fight him," Ichigo inwardly scoffed, fighting with Urahara does not feel like learning how Soul Reaper fights, it is more like how to fight Urahara himself. That man is vindictive, but Ichigo was taught better by Scáthach, to expect the unexpected.

"Then he taught you battle skills?"

"Nada, he taught me nothing," Ichigo unsheathes her sword, "Well, here I am Jidanbou."

"So, you are one of those uncivilized people, so disrespectful. I wasted my time waiting," Jidanbou swings his ax, "You should be grateful!"

 

The ax did not touch the ground nor did it decimate Ichigo, it was stopped by the redhead's katana.

"Thank you for the wait, I appreciate it." 

Honestly, if I'm the intruder shouldn't you just kill me right away?

It was very courteous of him to wait though.

 

Notes:

The championship is real. Since Tatsuki had her training by Yoruichi, which I'll say made her reflex became better with the 'superpower' training. As a result, she wins over to my Bleach world's supposedly first winner.
see here: https://www.jka.or.jp/en/taikai-result/47th-jka-all-japan-karate-championshipmatch-results/

Tatsuki's bracelet is Far Eastern Maiden's Armband. Here, Ichigo crafts it, but It doesn't have any use in terms of magecraft, only that it's super durable.
The scene where Yuzu and Karin drunk exists in the manga.

Chapter 15: Heavensward, Almost Paradise

Summary:

Tchaikovsky... YES!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo easily won over the giant gatekeeper and destroyed two of his axes in the process. There were several facts she listed from Jidanbou; poor math skill; though the need for him to count his attacks was a bit unnecessary, he is a giant; his movement was slow in her eyes, and last but not least; he is way too underestimating his enemies. When Ichigo blasted him away, Jidanbou fell on his butt with a comical stunned expression, like a monkey caught off guard. Then he quickly back on his feet and laughed.

"I just got distracted for a second and find myself knocked down!"

Ichigo rested her cheek on her hand, staring at Jidanbou in pity. Oh no, he's in denial...

When Jidanbou finally realized about his destroyed weapons, he wailed like a siren, while curled on the ground. 

"Now, now, don't cry I shouldn't have broken your axes, I'm sorry," Ichigo consoles him. If Jidanbou is a Spriggan, he would have cried out in vengeance.

"You-you're such a good person," Jidanbou sobbed. It is also Ichigo's first time seeing huge droplets of tears this close, "I have been guarding the gate for three hundred years... I have never lost a battle..."

That is debatable, was Ichigo his first opponent after that span of three hundred years? If not, what kind of enemies he has been fighting then?

"Well, since you have beaten me, I grant you permission to pass through the gate!" Jidanbou declared.

"Just like that? You sure you can allow passage?" Ichigo blinked twice in surprise. Because in her personal experience... That is not how it is supposed to work.

"Yes! Do take care Ichigo Kurosaki. I don't know what's the reason you need to go through, but fair warning the warriors inside are powerful."

 

Jidanbou opens the gate with immense strength. Everyone was giddy in anticipation except Ichigo. She had a bad feeling about this.

As the gate was lifted, Ichigo saw a man with silver hair and with fox striking face, wearing a standard Soul Reaper uniform and a white haori over it. A Captain.

Two things are flashing in her mind; the selection at Camelot's gate and... I shouldn't have let him open the gate!

Jidanbou's left arm suddenly was flying away from where it should be. A rain of blood was caused by his wound.

Shit!

Ichigo jumped in front of Jidanbou and pushed him away, effectively making the giant slip his hold of the gate. She mentally says sorry for him because it must be painful for him. She spares a glance at the silver-haired man, who was in preparation to attack again. Ichigo sent him a silent Gandr before the gate closed completely.

 

Gin was confused why his body suddenly spasmed. He tried to lift his arm and found a brief difficulty until he can move his fingers normally. The thing is, he did sees the small light the Ryoka girl sent at him and thought he can deflect it with his sword. Only to be absorbed and sent the effect through his body.

A stun Kidō?

Was that Bakudō number one, Sai, or was it something else? 

 


 

"Where is his arm? Quick, we need to attach it again!" Ichigo gushing over Jidanbou's injury, "I shouldn't have let you open the gate; don't you know what the premise of your job is?!"

"But I..."

"Shush! No talking!"

Jidanbou should have fought Ichigo to death. Gatekeeper is a sacred position. No one who holds the position normally survives when losing to an outsider because that is what being invaded is all about. Kill the guards and charge through in!

Why did they land right at the front door? This is a mistake!

Ichigo heard a kid calling her from the empty village neighborhood, except it is not so empty anymore, there are people! Among them was a little boy who was waving his hand at them. He seemed to recognize her and Chad.

"Mister! Nee-san! it's me Yuuichi Shibata!"

"Bird boy?" Ichigo dubbed him.

"Yu-Yuuichi?" Chad said in surprise.

 

The previously hiding Rukongai citizens decided that Ichigo's group meant no harm to them. They are now helping to transfer Jidanbou's detached arm, which landed on some house's roof. Ichigo leaves it to Orihime's ability to attach the hand and heal most of the giant's injury. 

"Most Soul Reapers are jerks, but Jidanbou came from around here," One of the locals decided to chat with Ichigo, "Seeing you fighting Gin Ichimaru to stand up for Jidanbou, you must be a good person."

"Thanks, Jidanbou said that too."

 

These Souls...they are wary of their own supposed protectors?

 

Ichigo decided to wander her attention. She saw Chad picking up Yuuichi on his shoulders, then move on... People. Grass. Houses. Uryuu. People. Tatsuki. Black Cat- Ah! Just the 'animal' I need to talk to.

She walked toward the black cat and crouched to get down to its level.

"Yoruichi-san, that was a disaster, wasn't it?" The thing is, She did not say it in a questioning tone, it was more like a statement.

Actually, Yoruichi could not agree more. He was going to say something, but Ichigo beat him to it, though he did not quite hear it.

"What did you say?"

"It was my fault, I'm sorry," Ichigo repeated.

"What?"

"I blindly walked there, testing the security-"

"No! I mean-" Yoruichi wanted to say it was his fault. He did not expect that the Captain of The Third Division will be there to greet the, "It's not your fault..."

"You know that Jidanbou will do that, do you? Letting us pass through because he misinterprets his duty as a Gatekeeper? Guards aren't supposed to survive, they are meant to die," Ichigo pressed. Implying they have been using Jidanbou's emotional and intelligence instability to be let into Soul Society, "Fox-face was there as his executioner. So... Do you know?

"It was not the best of the ideas."

Ichigo gives the cat a blank look, then decides that the trees over there are interesting, leaving the cat alone in his thought.

 

Yoruichi is observing a bunch of teenagers in front of him. They are invited by the village elder and were served tea. Among all of them, Ichigo looked so detached; the way she chatted with her friends was a bit like a parent responding to their children's chatters. When Yoruichi was interrogated by Ichigo, he does not expect the girl to be very insightful. Finding out that Yoruichi did plan to manipulate Jidanbou, except he did not expect a Captain would intercept, and the giant was not supposed to get hurt.

"Guards aren't supposed to survive, they are meant to die."

Why did Ichigo say it as if she had seen some guards die doing their job? 

 

"Can we use the other gates?" 

Yoruichi took a second before realizing that he was being asked, "No, it took at least ten days to get around."

Ichigo hummed, "Can we pass through without touching the gate or the wall?"

"What? Jump over it?" Uryuu frowned.

"We can build a catapult?" Orihime added.

"A trebuchet," Chad concluded.

"That's insane and also makes sense at the same time," Tatsuki commented.

"We build a trebuchet, and use it to throw rocks over the Seireitei, as it alerts the securities and they open the gate to checks, we rush through it," Ichigo proposed her plan. It could not be worse than Arash launching her with a slab attached to an arrow back in Jerusalem, "Or use it to throw us in, there's no difference. I mean it's not that hard to build such a contraption."

"You are insane," The only Quincy in the group became the voice of reason.

"Ichigo does have a point."

"Do not encourage her, Arisawa!"

 

Lord, please help me. Yoruichi shakes his head in dismissal, leaving the teenagers to their chatters, and asks the village elder, "Do you know where Kuukaku Shiba is? Her place used to be around here but since she's a drifter, is there a chance you know where she moved?"

The village elder looked uncomfortable, "Well, you see-"

Someone was thrown into the house by a massive pig with a cute red bow on its back, breaking the already thin wall of the village elder's house. The sight easily gained everyone's attention. He was a muscular gangly man with chin-length black hair and a partially missing left eyebrow. He wears a vest, scarf, bandanna, and pair of goggles. He got up, posing as if the incident of him being thrown by his ride is never happening.

It was all peace until his eyes landed on Ichigo.

"What a shitty Soul Reaper doing here?!" The gangly man pointed at her with great dislike.

Ichigo turned back and found no Soul Reaper-- Oh wait, he meant her. Practically ignoring the gangly man, she felt her tummy grumbling in hunger and nudges Orihime for some snacks which she happily offered some homemade rice crackers which somehow are pastel colored.

Ichigo picked the pink one.

"Ganju, she's not a bad Soul Reaper!" The village elder warned.

"A Soul Reaper is a Soul Reaper, there is no good or bad one!" The now-named Ganju snapped, "You should've known better Elder."

Huh, this guy's nose looks like Dad's. Ichigo bites the pink rice cracker. Oh, cherry flavor.

"Hey, I'm talking to you Soul Reaper!"

Ichigo swallowed her food, "I was eating, sorry."

"Okay, I respect that."

"..."

"..."

The pig sneezed.

"Wait a minute, you punk! Why should I care about you eating?!" 

Honestly, Ichigo does not get where this is going at all. What is this Ganju guy want from her? Sure, he is against Soul Reaper but she is not an 'official' licensed military member of this world, she just dressed like one. God, the guy's nose is just like her father's, she almost wanted to punch him. Oh yeah, which brings the question of where did she get the uniform anyway. Popping out from her body and already dressed in black? Why can she choose to wear a coat or a dress? What is the explanation for this?

"Ganju where is your sister?" Yoruichi apparently knows who Ganju is. She sees the sky is getting dark, and the sooner they meet Kuukaku the better, "These people are with me; we need to get into Seireitei."

"Wha-! Yoruichi-san, you're here? Wait I mean..." Ganju looked around to find Ichigo. He found her scratching the tummy of his pig, "Even that Soul Reaper?!"

"Yes! Even that Soul Reaper. Now get a move on!"

 

The Karakura gang is escorted by Ganju's pig-riding gang through the night, with a single lantern and fireflies illuminating the road. It is a grass and paddy field right and left, completely separated from the Edo-styled building in Rukongai. There was only a single house there, it is normal from the outside except for a pair of gigantic statues of a hand holding a banner with 'Kuukaku Shiba' written on it and a super tall chimney (is it a chimney?) at the back.

The owner of the house sure has quite a taste.

They were greeted by a pair of twin-looking guards named Koganehiko and Shiroganehiko, they were a little apprehensive when seeing Ichigo as a Soul Reaper, but they instantly let it pass when realizing that Yoruichi is with them. The house was bigger on the inside, Ichigo observed as the guards led them to the underground, much like Urahara's training dome, a spatial magecraft was applied to this place.

They soon arrived in a tatami room where there is only a single person currently smoking a pipe. Kuukaku Shiba is a well-endowed woman, who wears bandages over her long messy black hair that parts down in half at the small of her back. She wears a white skirt and provocative red robe exposing her ample bosom. She is missing her right arm and has a tattoo on her left arm.

Kuukaku greeted the cat, "Yo, Yoruichi, long time no see." 

"Kuukaku, I came here to ask you for a favor."

"Thought so, is it complicated?"

"I think so."

"Okay, tell me," Kuukaku stored her smoking pipe, smirking widely, "I love complicated stuff."

And so Yoruichi tells her old friend about their plan to infiltrate the Seireitei.

 

Ichigo is mentally playing chess waiting for the talk between Yoruichi and Kuukaku to be done. Then she hears Urahara's name mentioned, Kuukaku said she cannot refuse if the man was involved. Looks like these three were childhood friends.

When Kuukaku set her eyes on Ichigo, effectively made the person being stared at immediately on guard.

"Carrot-top, what's your name?"

"Ichigo Kurosaki."

Ichigo is the only one to be asked for her name though. She wonders why.

"Right, all of you come with me," Kuukaku brings them to a room where a lone black pillar standing in the middle, "I'm going to send you into Seireitei from the sky with this bad boy!"

"What exactly is this?" Uryuu asked.

"A cannon." 

The adults (and cat) immediately hear a collective of snorts except for Uryuu, who twitched his eyebrows in annoyance. Orihime murmured something along the line of 'we predicted the future and 'we're a psychic', Tatsuki lightly hit her best friend's shoulder while at the same time trying to contain her laughter, leaning over Chad who smiled in amusement.

Ichigo rolled her eyes fondly at her friends. Teenagers.

Kuukaku cocked her head to the side, "Am I missing something?"

"These kids already thinking of building some sort of catapult to enter, as you can see, Specs over there it's, unfortunately, way too sane," Yoruichi said.

"Huh, poor boy," Kuukaku proceed to give orders to her guards, "Pull us up!"

Koganehiko and Shiroganehiko are wheeling outside, the ground is leveled up the chimney outside is the continuity of the cannon, hidden by the white cast that fell apart as the ceiling opened. Kuukaku threw a crystal ball with a red bird logo on it to Ichigo.

"That's a Reishuukaku, transfer your spiritual energy there."

She definitely named her creation to rhyme with her name.

Ichigo does as Kuukaku, pouring her spiritual energy just enough to create a sphere around her.

"... Very good."

Is it Ichigo's imagination or did Kuukaku look at her as if she expected her to blow the Reishuukaku?

"Alright, listen up, if you think the wall around the city, it's the only defense, you're dead wrong," Kuukaku continued her explanation, "The wall around Seireitei is made out Sekkiseki stone. It releases a special energy wave from the cut surfaces, in other words, both above and the ground area covered by a protective sphere."

"Aww, so much for building a catapult," Orihime said so disappointingly.

Wow, she sure is adamant. Ichigo thinks maybe it is because Orihime stays at home too much.

Also, the description of Sekkiseki stone is similar to Sesshōseki; a stone in the mountains of Nasu that is said to kill anyone who comes into contact with it. The stone is believed to be the transformed corpse of Tamamo-no-Mae.

Not that Ichigo ever tries to touch it to confirm it.

"If you crazy kids just blindly fly in, your spirit body will be destroyed," Kuukaku took out her pipe, filling it with tobacco, "That's why I invented that ball to create a hardened spirit shell that can break the protective sphere, by launching you lot as a cannonball."

"Why?" Ichigo piped up.

"Hmm?" Kuukaku cocked her head to the side.

"Why did you invent something that can break into the protective barriers of Seiretei specifically?" It cannot be just because Kuukaku can. Or is it some sort of a grudge?

"Reasons," Kuukaku's face is clearly saying 'don't ask me that ever again', "Now all of you go to the training room, if you can't do it tomorrow, you all be blown to bits!"

That is not a very encouraging word on the road to success.

 

After all of that introduction, Ganju confronted his older sister.

"Nee-chan are you serious about helping them?" 

"Why do you mean by that? Just go help those kids in their training already," Kuukaku dismissed him and blows a cloud of smoke.

"But I will never help a Soul Reaper! I don't care what will you say to Nii-san-"

"That's enough! And they're not Soul Reapers! Why do you think they needed our help to break in?!" Kuukaku raised her voice at her brother. 

Ganju did not say anything about his sister's outburst.

Kuukaku dismissed him once again. When she is finally alone, she sat down and takes out some sake.

"Interesting band you have gathered Yoru, Carrot-top especially is quite interesting," She said to the approaching Yoruichi.

"Ichigo is not Soul Reaper, Kuukaku. Maybe you should warn Ganju not to be antagonistic toward her."

"Her uniform does not bear a mark from any division, he should've known better," Kuukaku down her sake cup, "Excellent energy control she has though, did you teach her?"

"No, I didn't."

"Oh, Kisuke then?"

"... No."

"Huh."

Kuukaku down another cup.

 


 

Rukia was sitting calmly in her cell at the Sixth Division before Renji came in with some Onmitsukidou guards, telling her that she is being transferred to the Senzaikyuu.

Senzaikyuu, a tower where she can overlook the place of her incoming execution, the Soukyoku Hill. The hill is visible from most of Seireitei. It has sheer cliffs on all sides. One end of the hill is heavily undercut, where the Soukyoku and the bridge are located. The opposite end is covered by a white forest.

Rukia does not object. She has her crimes; therefore, she deserves this.

"Lieutenant Abarai, thank you for escorting us. Now let us be on our way," One of the guards said.

Renji, however, grabs Rukia's shoulder and leans over her to whisper.

"Listen, it's an unconfirmed report. The other days there are some troublemakers who tried to break into the Soul Society, a group of six, and one of them was a Soul Reaper with bright orange hair."

Rukia paled. Ichigo?!

 

Notes:

Kuukaku didn't destroy the house in the comic, it only describes her as a wanderer of some sort. It's also kinda telling that the Shiba is still rich despite being a fallen noble house, I mean... do you regularly change your house? No! Real-Estate business folks!

Chapter 16: Stranger In Paradise

Summary:

Ground Control to Major Tom (ten, nine, eight, seven, six)
Commencing countdown, engines on (five, four, three)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo used to be suck at energy control.

While she learns fast in martial lessons, for magecraft however, as many Casters said that it is not the worst case they ever dealt. Yes, it is still bad.

According to Scáthach, Ichigo's situation kind of makes sense because she already has massive reserves of energy, unlike many people that gradually built up as they grow. It was considered a rarity itself since ancient times for a normal human to have such conditions. Not even all Demigods have such conditions. So Scáthach gave her some advice...

Git gud.

This a piece of simple advice that ensures Ichigo's survival till now.

Nobody questions Ichigo about how she was able to activate the Reishuukaku on the first try, maybe they just assume Urahara taught her. Really, in just ten days? Nah. It took her two months in Chaldea to finally get the hang of energy control.

Before that, hide and seek was meaningless.

Sometimes the Servants leave Ichigo alone when having a tantrum since they knew they can just find her; then drag her out from her hiding place like the childish brat she was.

The land where Kukakuu's house was located was more than grass and paddy fields; there is the barn where they kept the farm animals; plantations with honesty to God, greenhouses, and a horse racing field. The latter seems to be abandoned as there are unattended weeds and mosses. Ichigo jumps over the fence and looks around, was there used to be a horse race in Soul Society?

She felt a breath down her neck, jolting in surprise as she found a huge grey stallion with a rich black mane behind her.

"Get away from that horse!"

She heard Ganju shout.

The horse briefly snorted before galloping away, not bothered by Ganju's outburst.

"Get out of there! You're lucky that beast doesn't try to kick you or anything."

"Sorry," Ichigo quickly gets out of the horse field, "Nice place though, do you own this place or something?"

"My family owns this place," Ganju looked at her like she is dumb, like saying something too obvious to him.

"Wow, you guys must be rich."

"Yeah..." Ganju throws a confused face at Ichigo, "You are not from around here are you?"

"I'm from the World of the Living."

"Then why are you dressing around like a Soul Reaper?"

"Oh, I don't know, Urahara said I need to turn into one. Before I got here, he threw me into a hole and BAM! I came out complete with the uniform and my trustee weapon!" 

Ganju is pretty sure that is not how someone becomes a Soul Reaper. Is she telling him that she just magically acquired a shihakushō and an Asauchi?

While he does not know Urahara as well as his sister, he does know that guy was smart and yet sketchy at best. Some old stories from he were young, especially that one day his sister came home, cackling like a maniac, together with Yoruichi and Urahara. Father scolds them hard for whatever they had done.

What exactly has Urahara done to her?

"Anyway, why do you want to infiltrate Seireitei?"

"Saving someone. She also saved my life, one way or another..." Ichigo conspicuously hides her right hand behind her back, "I borrowed something from her but since I have one on my own, It's time to give it back."

"... Well, one piece of advice for you," Ganju pointed at Ichigo's feet, "Soul Reapers don't wear boots."

 


 

After dinner, Orihime asked Koganehiko where Ichigo was. The latter finished her dinner, then went out rather quickly. The house guard brings her to a library, where Ichigo is reading books and scrolls, already changing her clothes into a comfortable blue yukata. Orihime said her thanks and approach the redheaded girl.

"Hey, Ichigo-kun what are you doing?" Orihime greeted.

"Research. Check this out. Can you believe that this Gotei 13 only consists of two hundred Soul Reapers in each division?" Ichigo held a book with the title 'Structure of the Gotei 13', "You can practically remember everyone's faces from different divisions. Well, if someone IS that diligent. Heck, they might even go to school together in their youth."

Orihime saw the pages and papers that are laid out on the table; mapped structures of Soul Society, Omnitsukidou, Central 46, Kidou Corps, and many more. Why did Ichigo go to do this alone? She could have helped her.

"Found anything...useful?"

"Well, the most useful is," Ichigo pointed to an area in the middle of the map, "This is called the Senzaikyuu, it's where the convicts are held before being executed at the Soukyoku Hill."

"So, Kuchiki-san will be there then?"

"Oh yes, because one of the laws makes you go there if you broke it," Ichigo opened a book containing the law of Soul Society and reads a certain page, "It is against the law for a Soul Reaper to give their spiritual power to Humans. Do you know what that means?"

"It means...?"

"It means this had happened before!" Ichigo closed the book, "Or not, maybe it was already common knowledge about what you shouldn't do as a Soul Reaper."

"Oh... Do you need any more help?"

"Not really. A map would be helpful but still, navigating the Seireitei needs an actual local, which is where Yoruichi's came in. I'm merely allowed to access the general section, not the in-depth section. That's why Shiroganehiko is watching me right now, to keep my hands off the juicy information."

Orihime did not notice the man when she came in. Shiroganehiko was looming in the corner of the room the whole time; he let out a heavy gruff when Ichigo waves at him.

"Can't help being a stranger in paradise. Well, I think you can help me put these back," Ichigo cleans up the mess she created.

"Sure..."

 

Ichigo knew that her friends are there to help her fight, Uryuu might have another agenda, but among all of them, Orihime is the only person that did not understand how dangerous this is. Kon was the one who witnesses the birth of Orihime's power and based on his story, the girl role is suited more as support.

To be honest, even if they want to deny it; Ichigo, Uryuu, Chad, and Tatsuki are 'violent people. They can easily express their desire to fight as a part of their daily activities. Orihime, at the core, is not a violent person.

But what makes her want to fight is what makes Ichigo worried and maybe the whole reason why Orihime joined the entourage in the first place. Her desire to be needed. Unknowingly for her, this is her fatal flaw.

Ichigo tapped her finger patiently, "Shiroganehiko-san, would you please tell me what time is it?"

"It's almost eight, Kurosaki-dono." 

Ichigo must do this, if not, they have to leave Orihime behind.

 

"Ichigo, why are you bringing me here?" Orihime asked.

It is the backyard of Kuukaku's house. The only sources of light are the fireflies fluttering around and some lanterns hanging nearby.

"Orihime, I'm going to be crass to you. What is your reason why to join this endeavor?"

Orihime is taken aback by the sudden question. it takes a second to find her voice, "I want to help, the same as everyone," She said, in Ichigo's opinion, with innocent conviction.

"Help has a lot of contexts, you have to be more specific," Ichigo sighed tiredly, "The names of your spirits are Ayame, Baigon Hinagiku, Lily, Shun'o, and Tsubaki; call them forth, I need to speak with them."

Orihime did what Ichigo asked. As usual, while the rest of them are docile, Tsubaki was complaining and berating his master as usual, with Shun'o trying to stop him.

 

Through the interaction of Orihime and her spirits, Ichigo already sees the problems; the rest of the spirits are docile while Tsubaki looked like a rebel among them and Orihime has no control over his attitude.

That is not good. 

To Ichigo, Tsubaki is someone who is dissatisfied with having Orihime as a master. People might think that it was the spirit's unique personality but no. She can see Tsubaki is as passionate as the others. Only to be disappointed for not being used as he should be.

Tsubaki is a weapon and he wanted to be used as a weapon and Orihime's refusal to hurt is a hinder.

 

Ichigo approached the spunky spirit, "You must be Tsubaki, the attacker of the group?"

"Yeah, what do you want?" Tsubaki sounds haughty.

"A certain 'rat' told me about you. Well, all of you to be exact," Ichigo undid the sageo off her scabbard, "Tell me Orihime, why do you think Tsubaki is always mad at you?"

"Huh? I thought that was just his personality."

"Don't be silly. You are his master, you need to have some sort of control over him," Ichigo enchants a spell on the sageo to move on her command, and with it, she binds all Orihime's spirits except Tsubaki.

"Hey! What the heck are you doing?!" Shun'o, Orihime's spirit that is also a talkative aside Tsubaki shouted at Ichigo in anger.

Ichigo ignored the spirits' cries and tied the other end of the sageo onto a tree branch. Orihime's spirits are hanging on like a pinata, swaying to the right and left in protest. Then Ichigo pulls out her sword and beholds it in Orihime's direction.

"The one who needs help right now is you Orihime. Think fast!"

Orihime panicked when she sees Ichigo coming straight at her with a sharp weapon. There's no way that Ichigo will hurt me. The bloodlust in her friend's eyes instantly made her think otherwise. She manages to get away from the lunged blade in time. Ichigo actually cuts a few strands of her hair.

I need a shield!

Then Orihime remembers she cannot summon her spirits since Ichigo died them. She had no other choice but to use Tsubaki.

"Tsubaki! Koten Zashun, I reject!"

The male spirit flight speeds up, sharp edge energy forming around him, and he tried his best to land a blow on Ichigo, but all of his attempts were being held off by her sword. Tsubaki is easily thrown back with a simple push, unceremoniously stumbling on the grassy dirt.

"Tsubaki are you okay?!" Orihime dashing at the lying spirit.

"Do you know why his attack doesn't work?" Ichigo asked sternly, "Thoughts that ran through your head, you needed a shield, but you can't, there's no other choice but to use Tsubaki, and that's your biggest mistake."

"My biggest mistake...?"

"That you always treat Tsubaki as a last resort. Ayame and Shun'o are healers. Hinagiku, Baigon, and Lily are in charge of defense. What exactly did you think Tsubaki is in charge of?"

"He's...he's the..." Tsubaki is an attacker. Why Orihime cannot say it? Is it because she thought of him otherwise?

"He's your sword, Orihime."

Orihime widened her eyes. Tsubaki is her sword? She never thought about it like that, "I don't understand. He was just fine when I commend him to attack the Hollow that was hurting Tatsuki, why I can't do the same thing anymore?"

Ichigo plants her sword on the ground. Came toward Orihime and crouched at her level. She scoops Tsubaki who writhes in pain and heals him with her own healing technique so he can regain his strength. As he is a bit leery, Ichigo transfers him to Orihime's arm.

"What do you think? Uryuu, Chad, and Tatsuki had known how to fight for all of their life, and no, Tatsuki teaching you karate doesn't count. It's not about that."

Ichigo said the latter in particular as Orihime was going to rebuke her that she also know how to fight.

"You are not used to the notion that when you must protect others, you might have to hurt others. You are our main healer, however, just because there are a lot of fighters, doesn't mean we can protect you the whole time. There are times when you need to fight for yourself," Ichigo gets up and goes back to where her sword is, "That's why you need to respect Tsubaki's ability. With that, you can stand as an equal with any of us."

"But why am I...?"

"It's your desire to be needed. That's your fatal flaw. The moment people said they don't need your assistance. You felt as if you just did something terrible, isn't it?" 

Orihime can feel her face getting hot when hearing the bleak truth.

"It's not like I want you to kill people. God no. That's horrible. But you eagerly involve yourself in something you barely understand just so you can help...when you barely understand about yourself. It's not just you; Chad and Tatsuki too. Ishida is complicated," Freakin' Quincies. They are all complicated people, "I ask you to stop pushing yourself to serve your flaw right now before you end up hurting yourself."

Orihime sniffed, "... I'm sorry, Tsubaki. Please forgive me." 

"Don't sweat it, woman, if this is what it takes for you to clean your head, then so be it," Tsubaki huffed, the tsundere spirit he is, crossed his arms, and harrumphed.

"Get up you two. Let's do this again," Ichigo plucks out her sword from the ground, "This time strike me with all you might."

Orihime nodded, now with her newfound confidence. Tsubaki is beside her, ready anytime.

Ichigo takes her stance, and lunged at Orihime again, this time with even more bloodlust than before.

 

"Koten Zanshun! I REJECT!"

 

Ichigo is satisfied when she has difficulty holding back a far stronger Tsubaki, even pushing her quite far before she decided to let the attack slide away, cutting several trees and huge rocks behind. Tsubaki came back to his normal form and flew back to his master's side.

Ichigo snaps her finger, releasing Orihime's other spirits from the bind of her sageo, "Well done."

"You're a meanie!" Lily shouted in disgruntlement.

Ichigo made faces at her.

"Thank you Ichigo, I... think I need that kind of push sometimes," Orihime blink back her glassy eyes, "Strange, when I trained with Yoruichi-san, I was the first one that was able to call back our powers." 

"Is that so? Have you ever asked them how they can call back their powers? Their reason might be a bit different than yours," Ichigo sheathed her sword, gesturing to Orihime that they should go back to the house, "I'm sorry, I have to do that since tomorrow is the big day. It's not your fault either, for newly acquired powers with only a little understanding of them."

"It's okay. I mean I already made my choice to come with you, so I deserve it!" Orihime exudes positivity.

Ichigo felt like her therapist now.

"... You know, if you want to create a shield, you can simply command your spirits."

"Huh? But how can I when you held them hostages."

"I simply bind them; you can just retract them into a hairpin."

Orihime and all her spirits gave Ichigo the same look of disbelief.

"Wow, you are all Orihime's spirits alright. You're all inherited her airheadedness personality."

"Ichigo you jerk!" Orihime pounced at Ichigo, who laughed weakly in response. She stops when something crossed her mind. "Oh. By the way, Shun'o once told me that my power was born because of you."

"Really?" Hearing that tidbit of information, Ichigo casually hides her surprise very well behind her nonchalant face.

"Yeah! Does that mean you're their mother-- Wait, I guess that's me. Does that mean you're their grandmother?"

"... Well, I don't know," Ichigo teased Tsubaki by poking lightly his tiny head, "Am I your grandma?"

"LIKE HELL!" The spirit exploded.

 


 

Today is the day, it is time to break into Seireitei. Everyone has their bags, filled with med-kit, rations, and other necessities, like scentless soap. Kuukaku said one of the captains is of canine origin.

Werewolf?

Ichigo is given a pair of waraji, straw sandals, to blend with a sea of Soul Reapers. The feeling of wearing a straw sandal is a bit weird, better than sandpaper though.

Do not ask why she knows the feeling of wearing sandpaper, it involves a prank coordinated by Billy the Kid. 

"Alright you bunch of crazy kids, prepare as I, Kuukaku Shiba, Soul Society's number one fireworks maker launch you up in the sky!" Kuukaku proudly declares at the gathering of people that she is going to send off. 

Did Kuukaku ever make a gigantic firework and launch it into the sky? Like that one episode from One Piece? Wait, dumb question, she probably had.

"Wait for me!" Ganju runs in late. He is wearing a different outfit that he called his battle suit, "The heroes always came in late!"

"What? Are you coming with us or something?" Ichigo questioned.

"Yeah, I am! Got a problem with that?" 

No one said anything about having a problem with it, Ganju.

"Ganju, what are you thinking? Are trying to kill yourself out there?" Kuukaku snapped.

Seems like he did not consult with his older sister first.

"Nee-chan, please. I want to go," Ganju shows his determination, "I need to."

"... Fine. Just don't run away mid-way brat," Kuukaku relented, "You better give it everything you've got!"

"I will!"

 

It is almost dawn. The gang gathered inside the cannon. Yoruichi gave them the instruction on what they should do after landing inside the Seireitei; make sure to run when fighting a captain-class enemy, the objectives are to rescue Rukia, not take unnecessary risks, also the barrier will break when collided with Seireitei's own, forcing them to split up upon entering.

"That's an inconvenience. Very well, let's set up in a pair, range with melee, Chad you go with Uryuu, Tatsuki you go with Orihime, I'll go with the odd one." Ichigo divides the team.

"Are you calling me odd?" Ganju offended.

"It means I don't know what you can do. What about you Yoruichi-san?"

"I'll go with you," Aw yeah, pet companion, just like with Fou all over again. Too bad, Ichigo left Kon at home.

"Any question?" No one disputes Ichigo's decision, "Great, then we're set. I'll send a signal where you guys can find me, trust me, you will know it's me. And don't forget to wear the fake Soul Reaper uniform, it might be marked less, but it's better than nothing." Because from afar, at least no one can discern which one is real and which one is not. 

They might be not that stupid, Ichigo inwardly winced, then again it is the efforts that count. 

Kuukaku starts her chants for the launch. The gang immediately focuses their spiritual energies on the Reishuukaku, and not for long, do they find themselves airborne.

 


 

In the Senzaikyuu, there was only a narrow view of the sky. Rukia sighed, it is the only thing that she gets as entertainment. However, the light that came through from the narrow window is too fast for a rising sun. What is this?

 

Seiretei's alarms are blaring for the sign of intruders. From the sky, a large bright ball descends. Every Soul Reaper felt dread when the ball did not disappear as it hit the city barrier, what a high concentration of energy!

Oh, bother, there goes Zaraki Kenpachi running away from the meeting hall like a loose dog. They were gathering to decide on Captain Gin Ichimaru’s punishments for misinformation about the intruder at the West gate. He kept on his leisurely demeanor despite the incoming danger looming in the city, well so is every captain. If you cannot carry a certain grace when handling a crisis, you cannot be called one.

"The alarm sure came at a perfect time," Captain Sousuke Aizen said.

"I'm afraid, I don't understand what you mean, Captain Aizen," Gin does not sound apprehensive at all.

"Do you think you can get away with this? It is best not to underestimate me."

The two captains parted away.

Captain Toshirou Hitsugaya overheard the conversation, glancing at them with a lingering unreadable look.

 

Ichigo sense a deja vu. It is going the same way as how they landed in Soul Society in the first place.

Not this shit again!

 

Notes:

Look at my effort at telling how RICH the Shiba clan is!

Chapter 17: Trouble In Paradise

Summary:

Moon River, wider than a mile
I'm crossing you in style someday~!
A dream maker (maker)
My heart (you heart) breaker
Wherever you're goin'
I'm goin' that way (the same, the same)

... Oh honey, this is not as romantic as you think.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo spat a bunch of sand. Who would have thought that Ganju is capable of earth magecraft? She is thankful to him for softening the landing by turning the ground into sand.

The whole street of Seireitei is covered in bluish limestone, maintenance must be expensive. It was a richer environment than Rukongai, in fact, because of the density of the air, Ichigo felt more like a human than a soul here. For a soul without spiritual energies, it might be too overwhelming.

Unfortunately, they are straight away being intercepted, by a bald dude with a red marking at the outer corner of his eyes; a strange way of applying eyeliner, he must be a fan of a kabuki play. His friend is even weirder in facial appearance; colorful extensions on right lashes and brow, each yellow and red, hair in a bowl cut, and he is quite feminine looking. Baldy's clothing is normal, but the other, what is that orange piece of clothing that is connected to an orange sleeve on his right arm? By the textures, it looks like a sweater.

"Peh, here I thought standing guard was troublesome, yet here's the prey right in front of me!" Baldy exclaimed and started to do a weird 'ceremonial' dance, "Lucky, today is my lucky day~!"

"Are people in Seireitei always like this?" Ichigo whispered.

"Sort of," Yoruichi licked his paw.

Ah, because you were one of those people right, Yoruichi?

 


 

Chad and Uryuu are hiding in a tree. A mob of Soul Reapers unknowingly passed said tree.

"When do you think Ichigo starts sending signals?" Chad questioned, a tiny bird perching on his armored hand.

"Who knows, knowing her track record, she probably already fighting," Uryuu said.

Chad hums in agreement, "We should change to our disguises."

Uryuu sneered in disgust at the need to change into a Soul Reaper uniform. However, vigilance is a must in this kind of situation.

 


 

Orihime failed at landing when utilizing her shield. Shun'o scolds her before going to heal her with Ayame. Tatsuki has rather quick thinking when breaking her fall, which is why she is alright.

"You're okay Orihime?"

"Yeah, guess I need to take some gymnast lessons." Orihime is done with the healing.

"Hey now, one step at a time okay? Right now, we better move before they find us."

They were rather lucky when landing in some empty area. Their crash is still loud enough to attract attention, which is why they need to keep moving.

 


 

Bald Dude did some weird ceremonial dance to celebrate his luckiness, after he is done, his friend, Pretty Guy, helpfully gave him a clap. Ichigo silently appraises him for having strong toes to do such ballet moves. Man, talk about first impressions.

"What are you people still standing in there?!" The Bald Dude suddenly gets irritated, "I did the Tsuki-Tsuki dance to give you some time to climb out, yet you do nothing but stare?! You ungrateful bastards!"

He is giving the intruders some time to get out from the sand crater by doing a DANCE?! 

Ichigo thought he was asking for praise instead. This is very satirical.

"Ichigo, I can't fight these people!" Ganju hissed roughly.

"Why? Are you intimidated by the dance?"

"No, you idiot! Their spiritual pressure is higher than a normal Soul Reaper!"

Ichigo lets a choked sound. Oh, so there are normal Soul Reapers, what a piece of surprising information!

 

She remembered Ganju promising his sister not to run away mid-way, but that does not mean he has to throw himself into a suicide mission, pretty sure Kuukaku wanted him to come back alive. Judging by his expression, it seems to be the common sense here to flee from Soul Reaper with higher spiritual pressure here. Ichigo grabs Ganju's arm and moves her finger into a symbol on his palm, what is more confusing, there seems nothing drawn on it though.

"Fine, go with Yoruichi, I'll find you guys later."

Ganju follows Yoruichi. Pretty Guy was going to chase them only to be pulled by the scruff by Ichigo, throwing him at Bald Dude's side again, he landed gracefully, a bit disturbed by the act that he gradually shakes off. A blade shot toward Ichigo, and she easily blocks it, Pretty guy dashed to her right to strike and she uses her scabbard to block the other. The two Soul Reapers look surprised by the display.

"I see, guess your fighting style is like me then!" the Bald Dude gets even more excited. 

Ichigo pushes them off. There is some truth to it, except Bald Dude is left-handed, and she is predominantly right-handed. He also holds them in the manner of a sword and shield, unlike Ichigo who holds her in a dual-wielding manner. The way Pretty Guy wields his sword is generic, however, he is still a Soul Reaper, what he holds is a Zanpakutou and it can transform into something else.

Bald Dude and Pretty Guy are working together to overwhelm Ichigo. They did a pretty great job at it when Bald Dude sends heavy strikes, so Ichigo can focus on him more. Pretty Guy is getting a free pass at injuring Ichigo's cheek, and getting pushed away when gets swung hard by Ichigo’s scabbard as retaliation. In exchange, Bald Dude tries to hit her with his, only to be used as a jumping tool, so she can strike from above. Bald Dude smirked and happily receives it.

Bald Dude and Ichigo now sporting the same wound on the top of their right eyebrow.

 

"My, you sure are a brutish woman," Pretty Guy got up nursing his upper torso, where Ichigo's scabbard specifically landed, "A brutish woman wielding a beautiful sword, the guard is similar to mine, and that sageo; what a beautiful shade of blue it has!"

... What? Why is he talking about how attractive my sword is? Is he...sword-sexual?

Ichigo saw Bald Dude open the pommel of his sword, there is some kind of healing ointment that when he swab it on his wound, stopped the bleeding. Quite practical, Ichigo did stop her bleeding too by freezing it, not that her opponents noticed it. 

"Ease up, Yumichika," Bald Dude said to Pretty Guy, now dubbed to be Yumichika, "Oi, what's your name?"

"Uh... Ichigo Kurosaki."

"That's a nice name."

"... Thank...you...?" Most people will tease her out of it.

"You see, people with the word 'Ichi' in their name are often powerful and talented, like me and Yumichika. My name is Ikkaku Madarame! Since we all have the 'Ichi' in our names, let's make this a great fight!" Ikkaku declared.

Ichigo let out an amused huff. What a bunch of weirdos.

"You're a good fighter, tell me, who is your teacher?" 

Ichigo had a lot of teachers, even if she told the truth, it would not make much sense. Not wanting to make a long conversation she decided to throw someone under the bus.

"Kisuke Urahara."

Mentioning the name sends the two men into brief shock. Okay, Urahara seems to have left a reputation in Seireitei, maybe not even a good one. She will figure that out later.

Then, as if it would be too cruel for Ichigo to die easily, Ikkaku and Yumichika release their Zanpakutou. Houzukimaru, a Kikuchi spear, and, Fuji Kujaku, a multi-sectioned sickle...ish? Yumichika seems to have won at weapon obscurity for now.

Ichigo releases Zangetsu. A long sword, a spear, and a sort-of-sickle walk into a bar, she inwardly joked.

There is the sand puddle that Ganju created and Ichigo got an idea, backflipping into it and throwing her opponents' faces with sand. Yumichika is the most insulted, cursing Ichigo for dirtying his garments. She poses trouble equal for both, fighting on top of dry sand and continuously throwing it in front of their faces for distraction as if her body poses no weight on the coarse ground, she dances around blocking their attacks.

Yumichika strangely backed away. Ikkaku is breaking his weapon? -No! If Ichigo is someone slower, her right arm probably already gets lacerated by Houzukimaru's Sansetsukon -three sectional staff-  form. As the battle turned into a sword vs a flail weapon, it is the oddest fight that Ichigo ever experienced.

 

"Speaking of transforming weapon," Fray's voice resounding as if he was beside Ichigo, "Let's do it!"

 

Yumichika tries to attack from behind, planning to cut Ichigo's leg. His target jumps up. Ikkaku and Yumichika stop right in time before their attacks came barreling into each other. Then their blades were locked into each other by a spearhead that dives down.

No one heard the Shikai that commands Ichigo's Zanpakutou to turn into a spear. It was a dark spear, much like how Zangetsu's blade is dark, the spearhead is almost a reminiscence of a crab claw. The blue sageo that was on the sword scabbard is now at the other end of the spear, tying itself like a bow.

This is when Ikkaku realizes that Ichigo combined her sword and her scabbard much like him in calling the spear form.

"Surprise," Ichigo said in a sultry way. Kicked the two men so hard in the face that they lose the grip of their weapons.

Ikkaku recovered far quicker, throwing a punch that Ichigo blocks with the spear handle. Pushed her back with a series of movements till he can pick up his weapon. He still lost, when he thrust Houzikimaru forward, it was easily destroyed by a rather hard blow from Zangetsu.

"Che, tough luck."

Ichigo slashed him up.

 

"You're pretty good at this?" Ichigo sat on the other side of the lying Ikkaku.

"At what?" Yumichika does not want to talk right now.

"Healing, what was it called here? Kaidou?"

"Whatever, just don't tell Ikkaku that I'm able to do this."

Yumichika looks pretty (Ha!) banged up, minus the excessive bleeding like Ikkaku. The bruise on his face courtesy of Ichigo's kick got his eye, making it bleed. Ikkaku got lucky because it landed on his cheek.

"I was expecting to get shot by Kidou, but all I get it's a fight that is entirely physical."

"Eleventh Division is a direct-combat Division with a specialization in swords-only combat, we don't cheat by using Kidou."

Yumichika's voice is getting, even more, pressed the more he talks. Kidou is a sore point for this guy. Ichigo pities him, by limiting himself solely to melee, he is torturing himself. Yumichika has talent in Kidou, like saying someone has a knack for magic. It hurts seeing his overflowing guilt.  

Ikkaku blinked awake, snapping out Yumichiko from healing him. What impeccable timing. "Ichigo, why are you still here?!" 

First name basis already? This guy holds no grudges for being beaten by her, "What is it look like? Chatting with your friend here."

"Did you heal me?" Ikkaku bristled. "What a shame gets saved by the enemy, if only I could move, I would kill you right now!"

Ichigo did half of the medical procedure, the rest was Yumichika. She sends the pretty man a knowing smile, and he looked away.

Sigh, he keeps lying to himself.

"Sure you will. Alright you two, I'm off my way!" Ichigo stands up.

"Why are you invading Seiretei anyway? Flatten it up or something?"

"If that's what I need to do to save Rukia Kuchiki, yeah, maybe."

Ikkaku and Yumichika thought they had heard crazy, apparently, they had not.

Ichigo Kurosaki here came to Soul Society with only six people, one of them is a cat, separated by the entrance, and her reason to raid Seireitei is to save a girl on death row?! What a bunch of idiots!

"Hey Ichigo, are you the strongest in your group?"

"More or less."

"You better watch out for our captain. He has no interest in the weak, if what you said it's true then he'll seek you out."

 

Ichigo follows the tracking spell she put on Ganju. Ah, she almost forgot to send her friends the signals. Grabbing a branch from a nearby tree, she enchants four leaves so it can find them, and after that, finds her too, all they had to do is to follow the flying greenery. And so Ichigo, off to find Ganju and Yoruichi, while also on the lookout for Kenpachi Zaraki.

 


 

"It's another dead end!" Zaraki Kenpachi exclaimed, face to face with a wall, "Yachiru, we're lost because of your intuition!"

Yachiru, the pink-haired child in a Soul Reaper uniform popped up from Kenpachi's shoulder, "Mou, it's Ken-chan that has no sense of direction!"

"Forget it! Let’s try the other way!"

"Ooookie Dokie~~~!"

 

"Are they gone?"

"Yeah."

They felt Kenpachi's spiritual pressure, which is why Tatsuki and Orihime were hiding on the roof. 

"Which way we should go now? Ichigo hasn't sent any signal." 

"Oh, I remembered about a white tower that Ichigo showed from a map in the Shiba library, it's where convicts are being held up, could it be that to-"

Orihime felt the looming presence and summons her shield, misdirecting a slash of a sword as jumped to Tatsuki's side.

"I missed? To be able to dodge me, not bad." The Soul Reaper is huge, not as big as Jidanbou, still effortlessly making the two girls' sizes equivalent to ants, "Nevertheless be remorseful, if you hadn't appeared before me, you might have lived longer."

"Great, just before I thought we were not getting any action." Tatsuki rolled her eyes.

 

When the Soul Reaper starts to count out of nowhere, Tatsuki and Orihime exchanged a glance of confusion. They share a shrug, Tatsuki moves first and kicks the giant in the shin. Orihime calls upon Tsubaki, to hold off the gigantic Zanpakutou from cleaving her. Tsubaki wins, tilting the giant backward, but he manages to find his footing.

"WHY YOU LITTLE-"

Tatsuki came barreling from his side. He tumbles to a wall that was crumbled by his weight.

"Nice kick Tasuki-chan!" Orihime cheered.

"Thanks, you too Hime." Tasuki swiped the sweat from her brow.

Orihime moved fast, conjuring her shield to cover Tatsuki and her from the swarm of flying blades.

 

"You'll regret that! I'm Jiroubou from the Seventh Division, nicknamed Kamaitachi Jiroubou! Fighting with me, an expert in airborne weapons-"

 

Orihime sends Tsubaki at high speed, destroying all of the flying blades in place. Jiroubou tried to create more of the blades only for his Zanpakutou to be struck by Tsubaki. Destroying its structures. Tatsuki charged up her flames, and punch Jiroubou in the chest, at the same time as Tsubaki.

Jiroubou lying unconscious on the ground.

"Is he dead?" Orihime winced, wondering if she did all of that too hard.

"Nah, that guy is big, he lives." Tatsuki pats her best friend on the back, "Speaking of his nickname, Kamaitachi, maybe you should be the one who holds it,"

"Ew no!" Orihime sticks out her tongue.

They both laughed at their silly jokes. A bit morbid since there is a lying body near them that they are unsure whether alive or not. Suddenly, two flying leaves are circling them, as if wanting them to follow them.

"Hmm, what's with these leaves?"

"Maybe, it's Ichigo's signal, I saw her making a rope flying before," Orihime remembered Ichigo binding her spirits with a sageo the night before.

"Is that so? Since when is she capable of making things fly?"

They moved out from the scene, following the leaves.

"Making things fly...do you think it's magic?"

Tatsuki snorted, "What like the parlor tricks?"

Orihime is not sure, it does not feel like it though.

 

Notes:

Women are merciless. In the manga and anime, it was Uryuu that destroys Jiroubou Saketsu and Hakusui, but here, it's Tatsuki and Orihime. Well, unknowingly destroy them.
Zangetsu spear form is inspired by FFXIV Brionac. The reason why there is no command when Zangetsu turned into a spear was...it's something that I work on. Remember 'Strife of the Heaven, Zangetsu', it's a title, not a name. That's why Ichigo kept answering Fray, and Fray himself did not rebuke anything for not being called 'Zangetsu'

Tatsuki's playstyle may be inspired by the FFXIV Monk job. But her imagery was inspired by Nezha, following Bleach's equivalency of deity for their characters.

Chapter 18: A Whole New World

Summary:

Lord knows I can't change
Lord help me, I can't change
Lord, I can't change
Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Third seat Iemura's team left him when he tied his loose straw sandals. Then Hanatarou meets this red-haired lady on the way back to the team, she seems to be kind enough to accompany him. He wonders from which division she came, judging by her spiritual pressure, she must be a high-ranking officer. Hanatarou tries to remember each of the seated officers and lieutenants, not a lot of them have bright-colored hair, but he never recalls any of them having a such shade of hair color.

"Excuse me miss, what is your name?" Hanatarou asked.

"My name is Ichigo."

Hanatarou blushed when she said her name with a smile. Gosh, she is beautiful.

Her name means strawberry, maybe she is from the Fifth Division. Lieutenant Hinamori's first name means peaches. Do all fruit named Soul Reaper got sent into the fifth? Lieutenant Abarai was from the fifth before being promoted to the sixth, and his head looks like a pineapple.

"Are you from the Fifth Division, miss?"

"No, I'm from the..." Ichigo paused for a second, "The Nowhere Division."

The Nowhere Division? Hanatarou never heard about it before. 

"Uh, where is that Division located?"

"Nowhere."

Huh...

"HEEEY ICHIGO!" Ganju waves at Ichigo, and behind him, a mob of Soul Reapers tries to kill him. Yoruichi leisurely perched on his head, not helping one bit.

"Hi, Ganju, what a parade you lead on?" Ichigo waves her hand at the victim. 

"HELP ME DAMMIT!" Ganju shouts in annoyance.

 

Hanatarou watched as Ichigo unsheaths her sword, seemingly, in a very slow motion in his vision. She shot forward at a high speed and took down the whole fleet of officers without even needing to use the sharp end of her weapon.

Ah, those are the Eleventh Division member she beat up...

Hanatarou then looked at this Ganju person, who was busy catching his breath, and the black cat that resting on his head. Are they... Are they the intruders that the Gotei is supposed to be fighting against?

When Ichigo finished her carnage, she has a streak of blood on her face, it was from a Soul Reaper that she punched way too hard. Hanatarou felt like he never saw something more intimidating, excluding his Captain, in his life!

"Oh yeah, what was your name? I don't think I ever asked," Ichigo said in a friendly way, like someone who did not just beat the living day out of some people recently.

Hanatarou's leg did the jitterbug dance. What am I ever done in my life that she needs to know my name before killing me?!

"Hey, you alright?" Ichigo stretched out her hand to check on him.

Hanatarou bid his farewell to the world, body unceremoniously crumpled to the ground.

"I think the blood on your face scares him," Ganju pointed out.

"Ah, so that's the source of the continuous smell of iron," Ichigo caresses the dried blood on her face, "Anyone got some tissue?"

 

Yoruichi takes them to a storage building to hide and get some rest. The cat did not expect Ichigo came out unscathed from fighting two seated officers. It is a bit of a shame he was not able to watch the fight, must be quite a sight to watch. He takes a look at Ichigo who is cleaning her Zanpakutou, the girl is so thoughtful that she brought a personal katana cleaning kit.

Hanatarou suddenly woke up from the sweet dream of playing with his pet chickens, only to see Ichigo thinking she was preparing to cut his head off and scream at the top of his lung.

The scream is so long, even when Ichigo packed her cleaning kit and stores her sword in the hope to calm Hanatarou down, he has not stopped his screaming.

He still screaming...still screaming...still screaming.

Okay, he finally lost his breath.

Ichigo is almost impressed, "Are you calm now?"

"Please, spare me! I'm just a medic from the Fourth Division. I'm not good at fighting, I will not tell anyone about you! I swear!" Hanatarou cried as he does a dogeza.

"Relax, I'm not killing anyone," Yet...maybe...who knows. Ichigo silently adds, "What's your name?"

"My name is Hanatarou Yamada."

Ganju commented that Hanatarou's name is a lame name. The owner argues that his name is a good one. Now the two bickers over it.

 

Ichigo wanted to say how rare it is for the Japanese to name their son with the word 'Hana' as it blatantly means flower unless you are some protagonist in a basketball anime. Except, of course, Hanatarou will ask what is a 'basketball anime' which she does not incline to explain. 

Observing the citizen of Soul Society, Ichigo was not sure if Soul Society is exclusively Japan's afterlife, the people here did not generally look like Japanese. There is Renji with his crimson hair and Urahara's blond, they both looked Eurasian even. Byakuya though, is a proper Japanese, with the bonus that he might actually be what a feudal handsome Japanese nobleman looked like. 

Ganju and Kuukaku looked like they are from Hokkaido island, where Japanese people with the highest frequency of Jomon/Ainu genes are.

What are the racial demographics in Soul Society anyway?

 

"Let's get back on track, shall we? Hanatarou at this moment we're kidnapping you."

The meek Soul Reaper squeaked at that statement. Ichigo decided since Orihime is not here yet, Hanatarou as an extra healer is a given.

"It's temporary," Ichigo assured him, "And, we need to strategize how to save Rukia."

"Did you say Rukia-san? Then you must be the Ichigo Kurosaki she's been talking about," Hanatarou piqued, "I know how to get to the place where she is being held."

Ichigo raised one of her eyebrows at how fast Hanatarou setting along with them. Did he still think she is going to kill him if he did not give them any help or was he just as bonkers as any Soul Reaper here?

"You're leading us to her? Just like that?"

"Ah well..." Hanatarou lamented, remembering her moment with Rukia, "The way she's been telling me about you Ichigo Kurosaki-san, I'm sure you're not a bad person or anything. I don't mind helping you."

Ichigo cannot decide whether Hanatarou is stupid or clueless. Is this...the 'because you were nice to me' trope in action?

 

After that, Hanatarou leads them to the sewer which apparently the Fourth Division used as a shortcut whenever there is an emergency around Seiretei.

"Hooo, an underground sewer system, that's smart," Ichigo marveled at the fact that this is probably the cleanest sewer she has ever seen, not that she ever went to any sewer, but the smell is not as strong as she expected.

It is super clean and it is a SEWER!

"You can practically go anywhere through the sewer, though those who know how to navigate through it are the medical team of my Division," Hanatarou informed.

"I get it, since you guys need to get fast to the victims, you use it as a daily route," Ganju summarized.

"Not really, I mean cleaning the sewer is one of the Fourth Division's duties, we're not that strong in combat so we end up doing the chores..." Hanatarou's voice gets even lower the more he explains. His low self-esteem showing up.

Ichigo disagreed. Hygiene is the most important thing in a military base. If anyone was such a grub in Chaldea, the staff would probably kick them out or get fired. Hanatarou's division is the daily actual life-saver by ensuring no one is getting infected by bacteria in their sleep.

"What about the division that handles intel, I mean they must have known how to navigate this place too," Ichigo finds that it is a bit naïve that there is only one division that knows how to navigate the sewer system.

"I heard the Third and the Second often use it, but I never cross any of them while cleaning this place."

Duh!

It breaks the whole meaning of being clandestine if you spot them! Anyway, Yoruichi has been silent during this whole trip.

Hmm, Ichigo wonders why?

"Kurosaki-san, I sincerely hope you will save Rukia-san. Before she was transferred to the Senzaikyuu, she was put in the holding cell of the Sixth Division and I was assigned to janitorial duty there. At first, I was a little scared, she's a noble after all, but..."

"But?" Ganju sounds quite urging.

"I call her Rukia-sama at first but she scolds me for it, her voice is softer than I imagined and it made me at ease. When she starts conversing with me she mostly talked about you Kurosaki-san, even though she has only known you for a few months, she has unbelievably high faith in you. Also, because of her, your life changed forever, no matter what she does she can never make it up to you. During the time I've seen her, she was all gloomy."

"... It seems that she's another weird Soul Reaper," Ganju said offhandedly.

"Aww, is Rukia getting sentimental about me? Oh no, she's losing her mind, the more reason to save her," Ichigo giggled and pats Hanatarou on the head, "Well then, let's not waste her unbelievably high faith on me then. Oh, by the way, just call me Ichigo, okay?"

Hanatarou brightens at that. She really is a good person!

 


 

Renji does not want to believe it. Ikkaku-san and Yumichika-san are out from the front lines, each division reported some minor injuries, and the entire squad assigned by the Eleventh Division was wiped out.

All happened in the span of a few hours.

He would not know about the other Ryoka but there is only one familiar figure in his head who positively had been weeding them out, the orange-haired girl who stole Rukia's power; the one and only Ichigo Kurosaki. Is she truly the same girl that Captain Kuchiki had taken down? How is she so strong now? This does not make any sense!

Third seat Iemura said that witnesses saw the two Ryoka had kidnapped a member of his division and are moving toward the center of the city. That is all Renji needed to hear as he bolted out from the lieutenant's meeting room.

He ignored his colleagues calling out his name and run as fast as he can to the center of the city. The intruders' are heading to the Senzaikyuu. The place where Rukia awaits her doom.

When he arrived, he waits for those intruders to appear. From afar he saw a floor tile removed, it is the janitor that used to clean Rukia's cell in the Sixth Division. Two more appear; a man with the Shiba clan symbol on his pants and the thief, Ichigo Kurosaki.

That girl catches on fast to his presence.

Good. 

"Long time no see, remember my face?" Renji shouted.

 

Ichigo narrowed her eyes, both of her hands resting on her hips. Renji's glasses got even tackier than the one she broke. He bought new pair of sunglasses, does this guy go to the beach every day?

 

She can feel the rising panic from Ganju and Hanatarou, except Yoruichi, because the so-called feline can beat the shit out of Renji if he is not under a guise. Oh yes, she knew from the start that the cat is not normal, much like Urahara, the cat has this lingering danger around him. Although, instead of referring to the feline as 'he' might it be more proper to refer to it as 'her'. 

In mere eyes, no one can detect an assassin unless maybe you are an assassin yourself. Ichigo's experience just helps a lot. Which one is poisonous that you literally cannot touch her or has Satan's arm or a walking death sentence despite his towering body?

Actually, the last one seemed pretty obvious with the sword he wield.

But how does Ichigo know Yoruichi is actually a female? Trade secrets.

"Yoruichi-san," Ichigo called out to the cat to look the cat straight in the eye and speak in a low voice. So low that Ganju and Hanatarou cannot hear it, "If you know the way and choose to stay silent, better take care of these two boys then."

It is not everybody Ichigo sees a cat with a surprise akin to a human.

Yoruichi wasted no time snapping Ganju and Hanatarou out of their trance, commanding them to follow him.

With the following shock of the medic's 'the cat can talk?!', the space is as if reserved for Ichigo and Renji only.

 

"I don't know how you survived Captain Kuchiki's attack, but congratulations. It's worth complimenting," Renji descends the stairs that are the way to the Senzaikyuu and pulled out his Zanpakutou, his Reiatsu flared, getting ready for a fight, "I've said this before, I will kill whoever stole Rukia's power. If you're still alive then her power can't be restored."

Ichigo fought the urge to roll her eyes. With Merlin's inscribing a seal on her right hand, killing her is now the reason Rukia's power cannot come back. She doubts these people understand the 'magic' behind it.

She took a deep breath and curse the very being of this misfortune, "Fine, bring it on."

Yeah, let's beat the shit out of each other because you're angry at me for no reason... God, people here can't chill. Ichigo felt a bit famished honestly and she felt the heat courtesy of the sun hanging high in the sky. Is it lunchtime already?

 

"Is she insane? That's a lieutenant she's fighting at!" Ganju looked back to see Ichigo and Renji, both weapons interlocked.

"No... Ganju-san, I think Ichigo-san completely overpower Lieutenant Abarai..." Hanatarou does not know why he said that, but he can feel it. Is it because of his faith in Ichigo?

 

Truthfully, the battle does not seem to be in Renji's favor. It is almost like their previous battle in the Human World was Ichigo immensely holding back. 

"Let me ask you, how do you plan in saving Rukia?" He is currently pushed to a wall, holding back the opposing's sword. Damn, quite a strength she has.

It is not because of her opponent's strength alone, Renji felt like the other sword is getting heavier and the wielder benefitted it by momentum, throwing the weight at him.

Ichigo was irked by that question. Now he is asking how she is going to save Rukia. Dude, her fate is my her hand, LITERALLY! 

"Even if you defeat me now, there are still eleven more lieutenants and above that, there are thirteen captains. Unless you can defeat all of us, there's no way you can save Rukia. Are you sure you can do it?"

"I'll take that as a challenge," Ichigo adds more pressure. Her action made Renji get even more pushed to the wall behind him until it cracked, "Look at me in the eyes Renji Abarai, do you think I will stop before I can reach Rukia? If defeating them is what I need, then so be it."

Renji hated the sheer confidence she has. Who does she think she is?! Such arrogance!

"With only one or two life-and-death battles, you can think you handle anything!"

"One or two life-and-death battles?" Ichigo scoffed. Oh, how she wanted to laugh at him, "You have no idea what kind of life-and-death battles I've been through!"

Renji released Zabimaru so he can push Ichigo back. Strange, he did not feel her spiritual pressure getting higher, and yet she can keep adding pressure to her blade?

"Renji you fool! She focused all her spiritual energy on her blade!" Zabimaru scolded.

"What?! What's the difference with our attacks then?" Renji cannot help but be confused.

"I don't know! Somehow it's different than activating Zanpakutou's abilities, Renji be careful!"

Because of what Zabimaru said, he cannot feel any change in Ichigo's spiritual wavelength, it stays constant the whole time and he did not know how strong the next impact is. That girl is two times more nimble than the last time he fought her, and the sword in her hand is not Rukia's sword anymore. Not even that long ago she is out of submission and now she has her own power.

"Did you know? When we go to the Human World, to avoid unnecessary disturbances to the souls in the living world, every Soul Reapers' spiritual energy is reduced by about eighty percent in order not to cause unnecessarily high damage. A Gentei Reiin was placed on us. Right now, I'm definitely stronger than the last time we met, still think you can beat me?"

Ichigo cannot hold it anymore and bursts out laughing, "Well, I was told not to win by someone when fighting you and your captain, so I guess we're even," The blade of Zangetsu glowed blue, it did not change shape, rather a crackling of lightning emerged from it. By imbuing Sowilo, a rune that represents the element of lightning, "I can see why he told me to hold back when fighting, it's a salt to the wound, but I can't risk a manhunt on me."

Is that her Shikai? She can unseal her Zanpakutou without a command?

Renji braced Zabimaru up. Again, he senses no change in Ichigo's Reiatsu.

"I guess it's time to find out each other capability by fighting each other for real this time."

Why would Ichigo set a meter to her power anyway? That is too definite. Also, she hoped Seireitei did not mind the upcoming construction bill.

 


 

"I shall tell you de secrets o' a winning battle, as fellow students o' de Queen o' de Shadowland!" Cú Chulainn (Lancer) said one day in sparring, otherwise known as Ichigo's daily beat-down session, "Ye have fun with it!"

"That's easy for you to say, you came from an era where being good at fighting is considered to be a huge achievement," Ichigo takes this chance to plop down on the soft grass, "For me, I don't think it's always a good thing."

"Maybe so. However, take some pride in it. like Ferdiad and I, we were enemies in the war, and we have no choice but to fight. so we decided to 'have fun in that battle. In de end, we 'ave nothing to regret, even when one of us ends up dead."

"... Do you ever regret killing Ferdiad?"

That is a surprise, Ferdiad is a close friend of Cú Chulainn after all. And the way he recounts his tale to Ichigo, it sounded as if it is a 'summer fling' kind of thing.

"Nay! We bot 'ave our fun, better make de best out o' it... And that's not de battle I' ave regret for... Besides we still meet others at de Thrones o' 'Heroes, so it's not a big deal!"

"I'm not Celt," Ichigo sighed, "I can't be that crazy to enjoy a battle."

: Hey, Ichigo! Do you know when you said your mother has Scottish ancestry, Da Vinci confirmed that it's as old as the Celtic!: Romani said through a comlink, : The Irish heroes are having a party, cheering that you're one of them. It's pretty loud.:

"DOCTOR ROMAN, YOU JINX! I HATE YOU!" Ichigo screamed with Cú Chulainn (Lancer) laughing along.

She should not have done that genealogy test.

: What? How is this my fault?!:

 

When Ichigo arrived at the Chaldea canteen. All of the Irish heroes organized an ancient Celtic coming-of-age ceremony which consist of numerous rituals because she basically missed all of them, the one for age seven and thirteen, as she is already seventeen. 

 


 

Ichigo found no joy in this fight because Renji is fighting her as if he forgot all of his training. They say anger dulls the blade and here it is she served with the full sight of the whole karma in that phrase.

She almost pity Renji. She can see he really care about Rukia and he is helpless for not being able to help her. He does not want Rukia to die. Seriously, if only they can just talk about it peacefully.

Can't have everything can't I?

 

Ichigo's sword caught Zabimaru's jagged edge; with a hard yank, she flipped upward and with her feet she descent on Zabimaru, stucking it to the ground. She tapped the surface of the Zanpakutou, a trail of lightning sped through the elongated form Zabimaru and since Renji cannot simply let go of his trustee sword, he effectively get electrocuted.

Renji grunted in pain. It's...it's not her Shikai. It's a Kidō!

He sees Ichigo kept switching between fire and lightning as she bends the shape of the elemental attack with her blade movement. There are no Zanpakutou with two elements in this world, it is simply impossible.

She has not unsealed her Zanpakutou, at all!

Renji has a burn injury while simultaneously getting electrocuted at the same time. He tends not to use Kidō because he shit at it. He is frustrated that all this time he was giving his opponent an injury equivalent to a papercut.

She's looking down on me...she's looking down on me...

 

"DON'T LOOK DOWN ON ME!" Renji angrily shouts, "FACE ME WITH YOUR SHIKAI ICHIGO KUROSAKI!"

 

He's pissed. Ichigo grimaces upon hearing it. She could have just end it. Send a single blow to knock Renji out immediately... If she was not being watched the whole time.

There are flies, everywhere. 

Why? She have checked her surrounding, they were not being near trash or anything. When those flies got caught by her lightning, they are fried but not completely disitregated. Weird. Flies was never that sturdy, not when they come contact with a 5000 Fahrenheit worth of heat. They also able to dodge Renji's violent whipping of Zabimaru.

Surveillance cameras?

Why is someone watching their fight like some kind of entertainment? If those are patrol cameras, a backup should have arrived, since Renji is having a hard tome fighting. 

At some point, Ichigo has to backflip to avoid being swept by Zabimaru, her palm touches the ground, grabbing the dead flies while at it.

Something else is at play. Whoever she fought is a puppet in their game. 

 

This is not a simple invasion anymore.

 

Ichigo conspicuously inscribe the Kano rune on the ground, creating a ring of fire that surrounds her and Renji.

Cú Chulainn was very happy to pass down his talent of arson to his junior.

 

"Strife of the Heaven, Zangetsu!" Ichigo activates her Shikai, now wielding a long sword, and behold it toward Renji, "Give me all you got, Renji! Show me if your will are strong enough to defeat me!"

"I'LL SHOW YOU!" Renji declared.

 

The two lunged at each other. Blood for blood. Leaving destruction in their wake.

 

 

All attacks have a beginning and an end, there is always a limit to the number of consecutive slashes. There are six shots in a firearm and a rocket only fires once. Any combo attack has limits.

 

Ichigo let Zabimaru fly through, shredding her shoulder, and stabs Renji's thigh as a comeback. Then using a palm strike to paralyze him in the middle.

 

It does not matter when it hit less sometimes. The most important is by knowing the limit. When a fight gets rough, the enemy always uses the technique with the highest number of possible hits.

 

Renji's felt his body tilting backward, yet he does not give up. He forces himself to lift his sword and successfully kicks Ichigo in the head. 

 

Once you dodge them all, you'll find an opening. The enemy is left defenseless.

 

Ichigo curses Renji very being for blinding her with her blood and headbutts him, breaking his nose in the process. 

 

Have determination in your blade. Became capable of it.

 

Renji swung down Zabimaru, only for Ichigo to catch it with her bare arm. It was all become slow for him after that...

 

And do not ever forget it.

 

 

Ichigo sends a lateral slash at Renji, creating a wide-open wound. She heaved as she thought of the rundown of Urahara's tactical when fighting someone. That man play too much video game.

Renji's blood splattering on the ground. A broken pair of sunglasses lay forgotten. His crimson hair come down, the color matched with his blood. Zabimaru is destroyed. He cannot move his feet, and it is difficult to speak, the tang of iron filling his mouth. He refused to falter.

Renji manages to grab Ichigo by the collar, "Ru-Rukia, please save...her-"

He spats a rain of blood and start losing his conciousness.

Ichigo gently support him upward when he is going to fall, "Let's save her together."

 

"ABARAI-KUN!"

Kira Izuru saw his long-time friend go unconscious. There is a flash of vengeance within his heart when the orange-haired Ryoka turned to him; her face smeared red, hard to be recognized.

"YOU-!"

A circle of sand starts to form beneath the Ryoka's feet and Renji's body, swallowing them like quicksand.

Kira tried to reach them but the floor already turned back into the usual green limestone. He balled his fist and hir the ground. His friend is gone and he can do nothing about it.

 

"You should have leave him! I wasn't planning on bringing him too!"

Ganju berated Ichigo down in the sewer.

Ichigo rolled her eyes at him. She cannot reply, biting a towel as she applies alcohol to her wound. She refused Hanatarou's aid and told him to help Renji instead. First him now a red pineapple, she is becoming a kidnapper.

"Stitch my shoulder please." 

Ganju grumbled but complies anyway. 

Ichigo made an eye contact with Yoruichi. She opens her palm, revealing dead flies. When was the last time she saw a cat can winced so horribly? Probably never.

We have a lot to talk about, Yoruichi.

 

Notes:

The BTS cut,
Renji: Stay away from my girlfriend Ichigo!
Ichigo: No she's my girlfriend Renji! Get lost!
(The crew laughing)
Director: CUT!

What Ichigo did is imbuing a spell, her weapon acting as a wand essentially. Outward, no one can feel the change in her spiritual energies. She just decides not to be flashy. The letdown is, her physical body has less protection since she concentrated all of it on her blade, but this can be avoided if she coated herself enough beforehand.

Chapter 19: Bites The Dust (Kind of Bloody)

Summary:

All my memories gather 'round her
Miner's lady, stranger to blue water
Dark and dusty, painted on the sky
Misty taste of moonshine, teardrop in my eye

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Everything around Renji smells like old tap water, vaguely putrid on the edge, pretty sure the Fourth Division should not smell like this, otherwise Captain Unohana will throw a fit. His eyes are still heavy but he forces himself to open them because he was curious about his surrounding. He saw a shadowy figure of Ichigo Kurosaki crouching, on her hand is a clear bag of unfamiliar substances filled with colorful grain in the shape of a ring, and she spoons them into her mouth, letting loud crunches every time she chews. 

Is this a dream? A nightmare?

He saw her practically beaming at him.

"Rise and shine, sleeping beauty! It's a good thing that Soul Reapers are durable folks, if not you might have to spend a whole week in a hospital," Ichigo zipped close her plastic bag, "Hanatarou! Renji's awake! Bring the congee for him!"

"... What...are you doing?" Renji's voice is weak and croaking, "Why are you saving me?"

"I'm an intruder, not a murderer," Ichigo received the bowl of warm congee handed by Hanatarou and offers it to Renji. Floating on the congee are two eggs, cooked in two sunny sides up style, and a piece of bacon. The lining of it looked like a smiling face with a pair of bright yellow eyes, "Look, it's happy to see you! I hope you don't mind that we stole the rice from a nearby office building."

"You don't get it, do you? I threw my badge so I can fight you-"

Renji gets up to retaliate only to be shoved in the mouth by multiple spoonfuls of food by Ichigo.

"No time to talk. You must regain your strength to be able to save Rukia. Here have some more."

Ichigo taps Renji's acupuncture points that make his jaw permanently hang and shoves the rest of the food into his mouth. She retaps the same points so Renji can close his mouth, he tried his best to swallow all the force feeeded food.

Naturally, Renji coughed as he felt some of the food get lodged in the wrong pipe. Hanatarou swiftly takes back the empty bowl and hands Ichigo a glass of water, which she gave to Renji. He drank it with the utmost relief.

Are they trying to kill me?!

"Don't worry it's not sewer water, we stole it too. Hanatarou put some painkiller in it," Ichigo helpfully added.

"What the Hell, you Madwoman!" Renji barked back.

"Me? Madwoman? Trust me, this is still in my sanest moment, my dear new friend, " Ichigo hooked her arm around Renji's shoulder, she whispers to his ear, "So tell me about Rukia, what is she to you? A friend? A lover?"

"Yes!" Renji clamps his mouth in reflex, "I mean no! We're old friends!"

"Just old friends or old friends 'friends'?"

"What the Fuck is that supposed to mean?!"

"Oh, you know." 

Ichigo made an ambiguous gesture with her hand

In Renji's eyes, the gesture does not look like it means anything at all!

How did Rukia manage to befriend this weird human?!

He's fun to tease. Ichigo nudged a wide smile. She then felt multiple familiars' spiritual signatures from above. Looked like the leaves she chanted with tracking and direction are working well, probably a bit confused about why they cannot go to the ground.

She leaves Renji alone with his existential crisis and went up to greet her friends.

 

Ichigo opened the tile, surprising her friends because she suddenly popped out of nowhere.

"Hi everyone! Glad you all made it ba- Oh wow, you guys look like shit."

Quite an understatement of the battered appearance her friends possessed.

 

Renji cannot help but think about his recent fight. Is she the same Ichigo Kurosaki that his captain easily brought down? Her swordsmanship almost had no opening. At the same time, she was using fire and lightning Kidō without chanting. He remembered she can conjure ice out of thin air, shaping them into swords, back in the Human World before Captain Kuchiki decided to release Senbonzakura.

They thought she was using Rukia's Zanpakutou abilities, however when Rukia was interrogated, apparently that was not Sode no Shirayuki being released. Before turning Ichigo Kurosaki into a Soul Reaper, Rukia already had seen the human's doing ice Kidō.

So it was true that Ichigo was hiding her true capabilities as someone told her to hold back when facing him and Captain Kuchiki.

It was not about her getting stronger in a short time.

She was always strong.

Though Renji never heard of ice Kidō in his entire lifetime. Maybe it is because of his lack of knowledge of it but he is sure the fire and lightning Kidō looked different than the one Soul Reapers' studied at Shin'ō Academy.

How old is she anyway? To have such skill in swordsmanship and Kidō must have been a lifetime of training. 

That sent him into a reflective state.

Can he even save Rukia with his current skill? When Rukia was adopted by the Kuchiki clan, they started drifting away, and he thought that is fine; she found herself a family. That is why he trains himself every day, to have Rukia at his side again. Yet, not even once did he ever win against Captain Kuchiki. That man is way too strong. Is he that powerless? He sees the reflection of his bandaged face on the glass of water he holds and sees an image of a pathetic man.

"PINEAPPLE HEAD!" Ichigo suddenly appeared, making Renji lose the grip of the glass, the splashed water wetting his hakama, "Come meet my comrades in this invasion!"

"You..." Renji's vein is ready to pop.

"Guys, meet the Soul Reaper I kidnapped, Renji Abarai. You might cross him that day if I didn't tell Urahara-san to pull you away Ishida."

"Kurosaki, why are you holding a hostage?" Uryuu shakes his head in exasperation.

"I don't know, it just kinda happens!" Ichigo had the gall to look cheery.

 

The Karakura gang are gathering in a circle, using the fire that Ganju used to cook porridge as a campfire, they have a lot of things to catch up on. Ichigo got to listen to their stories; Uryuu and Chad fought this lieutenant from the Seventh Division, Tetsuzaemon Iba, and according to Chad, the man was reminiscent of a Yakuza. Uryuu deemed the man to be weird, saying that he became a lieutenant to please his mother, not out of ambition. Why the lieutenant suddenly gets personal in the middle of a fight is something they never understand.

Ichigo actually kind of understands that. She went through that with all of the Crypters. When the fight starts to hit close to home...

"Anyway, because of that fight, Sado-kun arm was broken. It's not completely healed despite Inoue-san efforts," Uryuu was the one who provides Chad with a sling for his arm. Leave it to the son of a doctor to know how to do it.

"Hmm, quite a story... You look sad Ishida?" Ichigo commented.

"What? What do you mean I look sad?" Uryuu was almost startled by the odd question.

"Why do you think you look sad?" 

"I'm not sure... I understand."

"Oh," Ichigo took a sip of water, giving him a calculative gaze, "Do you?"

 

Everything suddenly fell into an awkward silence.

 

Uryuu was going to ask again before Ichigo cut him off by turning to her attention Tatsuki and Orihime.

"What about you two then, Tatsuki, Orihime, who you had been fighting with?"

Whoever the two girls had been fighting, giving them extreme burnout. The skill discrepancy is too high between them and their opponent. Must be another high-ranking Soul Reaper officer. 

"His name is Shuuhei Hisagi, lieutenant of the ninth division. We didn't win..." Tatsuki looked very disappointed, "His weapon is a two-pair of scythes and if Orihime didn't bury him with those piles of debris, there's no way we can't escape."

Ichigo perked at that, "Pile of debris?"

"I used Tsubaki to cut the building near him," Orihime recounted what she did.

"That's great Orihime, though that's the first you did something that powerful right? Remember you can attack, heal and protect. You choose to concentrate most of your spiritual energy on the attack. That's why you can't fully heal Chad, not enough energy."

Despite the criticism, there is also praise in Ichigo's words, and Orihime evidently blushed because of it. 

"Now that I think about it, Orihime was a bit overkill. It's like destroying the whole neighborhood," Tatsuki added.

Well, that explains why Ichigo felt a lot of fluctuating spiritual energies yesterday, the whole Seireitei probably felt it too. It seems Chad and Orihime did their 'ultimate attack', making them unsafe to be involved in a fight tomorrow. Uryuu and Tatsuki are mostly okay, physically. She just hopes tomorrow there were not a lot of fights involved.

"Does any of these lieutenants use Kidō? Chanting spells and fires beam at you?"

"A bit, though he mostly attacks us with his sword," Chad supplied.

Meaning the lieutenant he fought with Uryuu prided his swordsmanship more. They win because Uryuu covers him as a ranged attacker.

"Mine did that a lot, I think the reason why we got overwhelmed was that we got the smart one," Tatsuki is disgruntled and crosses her arm.

If Ichigo cannot control her expression, she would have thrown her childhood friend quizzically. Tatsuki did you hear yourself? The man you fought might be several hundred years older than you. Smart one? More like more experienced.

"But didn't he say something about not liking his Zanpakutou form? Because the shape is to 'reap life itself' he said, but he’s a Soul Reaper and trying to kill us, how was that not an attempt of reaping life?"

It seems Orihime remembered Lieutenant Hisagi's monologue.

By the way, another thing people do when the fight starts to hit close to home; Monologuing.

"Because he got issues Orihime, let him be," Ichigo took a sip of her water again. Instead of just Uryuu, she now gives all of her friends a calculative gaze, "You guys look tense, what's wrong?" 

"Tense? We're not tense," Tatsuki answered, looking confused, "Ichigo, what's wrong with you? Why are you being weird?"

To their surprise, Ichigo snorted out loud. The noise is nearly hog-like.

"That's right, I am weird," Her gaze shifted slowly to Uryuu. Once she met his eyes, it is particularly a dead gaze, "But nothing is wrong with me."

 

The Soul Society's natives did not join in the Karakura Gang's conversation because of their lack of familiarity with them. No one knows where Yoruichi disappeared, Hanatarou is busy changing Renji's bandages, and Ganju is a bit aimless at the moment. The latter sat not too far away from the Renji.

"You're from the Shiba clan are you?" Renji decided to indulge when Hanatarou had finally done.

Ganju is surprised that the injured Soul Reaper decides to start a conversation with him.

"I am."

"Any relation to Kaien Shiba?"

"... He was my older brother."

They were silent for quite a while, hearing the human teenagers laugh (that sounded nervous for some unknown reason) winning over them.

Both of them faintly heard Ichigo finally gets to the part where she was fighting Renji; the said man in the tale faintly hears Ichigo say 'he was like, remember me? It was so dumb!' and wisely ignores the rest of the chatters.

"I heard Lieutenant Shiba was an idol among his men. I'm sorry for your loss."

When the Kuchiki Clan let her graduate early, it was hard for her to fit into the Thirteenth Division because of the blatant nepotism. Of course, Rukia did not mean it and it is not like she can do anything about it either. Renji suspected it was not about nepotism because logically, it does not put the Kuchiki Clan in a good light as Rukia, despite being adopted, is still not an actual Kuchiki by blood.

Do they want Rukia to graduate early since it looked bad for them for a family member not to graduate normally? Because she was not in the advanced class like him, Kira, and Hinamori? That she might have to repeat classes?

Kaien Shiba was Rukia's mentor, he personally took her under his wing and helped her at achieving her Shikai. Ever since then she had never been happier. That one time Renji saw Rukia from afar, looking happy in her workplace, he thought maybe he can be a bit at ease, knowing that she was okay.

Only to be replaced with misery in the next summer with the news of Lieutenant Shiba’s death.

"I came here...because I wanted to know why he loved being a Soul Reaper, even though he was killed by one," Ganju did a dental click.

Renji breathed in, barring himself from lashing at Ganju. Sure his brother's death is unfair but that was not the point. As stated in the law, it is forbidden for a Soul Reaper to acquire or attempt to gain Hollow-like powers. When Rukia killed Lieutenant Shiba, it was unclear whether it was out of sense of duty or, as the rumor mill said, that it was an accident.

The Gotei 13 cannot directly meddle with the affairs of the Five Great Noble Families, they only provide an investigation. The Kuchiki Clan and the Shiba Clan agreed to settle it peacefully; the fuse died down very quickly. 

The incident was also classified information, the Thirteenth Division was not allowed to share the details with others.

Then not long after, the Shiba clan lost its status as the Great Noble. Central 46's decision to dismiss the Shiba Clan was also not in the know and nobody dares to question it. Weirdly enough, the Shiba Clan did not put on a fight against the decision. People just assume the clan must have done some great mistake, burying the assumption of Hollow involvement.

Renji can see the connection but since he is not allowed to dig the additional info, resulting him unable to see the actual justice behind it.

"The one who killed Lieutenant Shiba...did they give you their name?"

"I'm not allowed to know. I only remember her cold eyes when she brings my brother's body to the clan compound."

Intertwined into noble politics are sucks. Renji is amazed that Rukia survives it till now.

“And then his blood rained down on my face! It was a bitch to wash!” Ichigo exclaimed.

Renji really wanted to kill this one human.

 


 

"The Ryoka kidnapped Abarai-kun?!" Momo Hinamori, lieutenant of the Fifth Division, gasped in horror.

"If I get there a little bit earlier, I could have assisted him in the battle..." Kira said regretfully. The look of emptiness when the Ryoka turns at him, her face washed in the blood, not sure if it is her or Renji's. The lieutenant of the third division almost shivers to remember it.

"Do you see the faces of the criminal?"

"It wasn't that clear, her face was covered in blood. Her hair is very distinct, almost like the shade of a...carrot," Kira was not trying to be funny but he cannot help it, it was the first thing that came up to his mind when seeing the Ryoka's hair.

An amused chuckle resounds in the pair of lieutenants' ears. It is the captain of the Third Division, Gin Ichimaru.

"Carrot huh? Izuru, ya' sure don't describe someone like that every day."

"I- I don't mean it that way," Kira instantly became sheepish.

"Now, now, it's fine. It's good to indulge in humor in this time of crisis. Speaking of crisis there's a lot of things we need to do," Gin prepared himself to saunter away.

"Wait! What about Lieutenant Abarai, shouldn't we search for him?" Hinamori interjected.

"No need," Said Byakuya Kuchiki, the captain of the Sixth Division, Renji's superior, "He was fighting alone, there's no reason that he should have lost."

"Sheesh, Captain Kuchiki no need to be so harsh to your subordinate, even though he's not here," Gin tries to reason with his fellow captain.

"Former subordinate."

And Byakuya went on his way to the captain's meeting.

Kira sees Hinamori is going to shout at Byakuya, he stops her by firmly placing his hand on her shoulder, silently telling her not to pursue it. The situation is already beyond their control, no need to add more fuel to the fire. With a heavy heart, he leaves Hinamori, trailing behind Gin.

"Hinamori." 

"Yikes! What is with captains always appearing without making a sound?! Oh, it's you Shiro-chan." Hinamori recognized her childhood friend.

"Don't call me that! I'm a captain now!" Toshirou Hitsugaya was recently made captain of the Tenth Division. The youngest Soul Reaper in history for achieving such a feat, "I'm here to give you some advice, watch out for the Third Division."

"What do you mean? Is something wrong with Kira-kun?"

"I'm talking about Ichimaru, lookout out for Kira as well..."

 


 

There has been mistrust among the captains. The timing could not have been more perfect.

The Gotei 13 may soon begin an all-out war.

 


 

Ichigo did not sleep right away, instead, she is busy cutting those dead flies with her Swiss Army knife. Urahara forbids the gang to bring a backpack to avoid 'contaminating' Soul Society since most of the human stuff is an unknown concept in said dimension; aside from avoiding leaving evidence, it is also so the resident of Soul Society would not get any foreign ideas about humanity. It was not until they reach Kuukaku that they were given some survival necessities. Even so, Ichigo has a lot of baggage from the start as those are easily hidden in her baggy clothes; if Uryuu prioritized his costume change, Ichigo brought a multi-tool pocketknife; Orihime brought her weird snacks, Ichigo brought fruit loops. Not to mention, the 'magical' item she bought; the assorted gemstones fresh from the Earth especially, which is her ammunition.

"Ichigo what are you doing?" Yoruichi sees the butchered insects.

"What is looks like? Butchering insects. These flies are organic apparently. I thought they were some kind of robot since they were tactically watching me fighting. Someone manages to control these insects from afar despite being a living things. It does seem to be genetically engineered."

Yoruichi stilled. How did she get her hands on Aizen's camera flies?

"Ah, but you already know about that aren't you, Yoruichi-san?"

Of course, Yoruichi knew. It was created by the Twelfth Division to aid surveillance measures, recon, and spying. The flies are bred the same way as Hell Butterflies do.

"Ichigo listens to me, the reason I didn't say anything is that I need you to focus on saving Rukia."

"I am focused and good at multitasking. Don't underestimate me."

Chaldea changes her so much that Ichigo's mind is not crucially single-minded anymore. The running joke was 'fixing the world while doing taxes.

"No! Please, I'm begging you, don't add this to your worries... Kisuke and I dragging you into this place are already asking too much, you and your friends..."

When a cat can sound so desperate...

Ichigo stares at Yoruichi, then lifts her right arm where she never took off that long fingerless gloves. Undid it to reveal an intricate golden seal, Welsh alphabet, and Celtic runes circling the lines, segregated in between by what looks like to be an image of a sword.

Merlin specifically drew it after Caliburn. This is a key to opening Rukia's state of being, with that Yuki can return safely to her master.

"No? I guess we don't get anything to say since none of us has been honest with each other. You see this seal Youruichi-san, this is the reason why I'm saving Rukia, I took a part of her and I have to give it back. This is the proof of my promise to her and don't you dare to say that I'm not focused on saving her," Ichigo practically spats her words at the cat, "If this mission has a hidden layer behind it, I need to know."

Yoruichi gapes at the display of the seal. Never in her lifetime she ever seen anything like it. Just what kind of people did Ichigo know to be able to craft such a seal for her? 

"Ichigo...what is that?"

"Rukia's Zanpakutou."

"WHAT?"

Oh, shit. Yoruichi brings her paw to his mouth. Some of the sleeping figures groaned and stirred but not enough to make them awake.

"What do you mean that's Rukia's Zanpakutou?!"

"It's the spirit, she cried when she can't come back to her master. There's a wall between her and Rukia."

"Wall?" 

"The Great Wall of China."

Ichigo nearly cackled when Yoruichi growled, not that it is a funny growl. It is the fact that the growl is identical to a normal cat.

The 'wall' between Yuki and Rukia is almost sentient as if it refuses any entities to replace its seat inside the host. If Yuki and that wall are at the same level of power, there would have been a destructive battle between them in Rukia's soulscape. Another thing that supports even more of that semi-sentient's success was the fake body that Rukia uses. Merlin was unsure what it was made of since unlike a natural human body that was started as a simple clump of blood, 'foreign substances' were used in its creation.

The main reason why Mash can become a demi-servant was because of 'foreign substances' too, but unlike Rukia's fake body that was created by Urahara, Mash’s body is still human as a base. This is why during each journey of the Singularity her body was gradually deteriorating; human flesh is fragile, this is a fact.

"Orihime once spoke to me, this world is Rukia's home, if we did rescue her, we're taking her away from her friends and family, then I replied that's fine as long as she's alive, she can always have a chance to meet them again," Ichigo lightly scoffed, and wears back her glove, "What came from the mouth is easy. If there's something else aside from the execution then I want to know if that will hinder this mission or not."

"If you really want to know... How long do you plan to sleep tonight?" Yoruichi hung her head low. There's she said mission again...

"Five hours. I can press it to three."

"Five's enough. Come with me on a patrol tomorrow morning." 

Ichigo sees Yoruichi disappear when she turned into a corner. That cat definitely knew the sewer route. As expected from a assassin of Soul Society.

Ichigo goes to Renji and leans down on his ear, "Do you hear that? We have patrol in five hours."

Renji shivered instinctively. She knew that I was eavesdropping?!

"Yes."

Fuck!

"Exactly."

 


 

By the time of the stakeout, the sun is barely up and Ichigo informed Yoruichi that they are bringing Renji along.

The cat openly fought facepalm, irritation as a whole; sighing in defeat.

God why is this girl is good at complicating stuff?

She gave them a black cape that was able to hide their Reiatsu, one of the many inventions that Urahara left behind.

"Alright, Crimson, why did you want to join us?"

"... I wanted to know who the real enemy is. For Rukia's sake, I will do anything to have her back."

Ichigo almost smirked. Easy there, lover boy.

Yoruichi hummed thoughtfully, "Here's some advice for you. Forget everything you know about your colleagues." 

Renji is dumbfounded. What does that mean?

"When we were fighting someone is watching us with camera flies. When I said flies, it really is those bugs that are fond of garbage. Anyway, here are a lot of them in the air. While it sounds unassuming, I wondered myself; why would there be flies around us? There wasn't even trash near us. In conclusion, unless the Gotei has such surveillance technologies…" Ichigo helpfully supplied.

"I never heard about a fly being a surveillance camera," Then again Renji never knew what the R&D department came up with. Ichigo's right though, what is the need for those camera flies watching their fight?

"Someone is spying on you two." Yoruichi stated firmly, "Let's go, we don't have much time."

 

Renji is getting more confusion because the way they are going is to the Fifth Division.

When they finally get there, Yoruichi instructed them to hide in a tree that overlooked the barrack. He never sees the barrack from this view. It felt as if the cat knew how to pick a spot for spying on people.

They stay there long enough for the sun getting high until they see Lieutenant Hinamori running fast as she seemingly late for today's schedule.

Strange

Renji thought that it is so unlike her to be late.

"Follow that girl."

Yoruichi already leaped away when Renji was going to ask why.

 

What Renji sees at the same time as Hinamori's anguish scream is unbelievable.

The body of Captain Sousuke Aizen was stabbed high on a wall, blood flowing down, painting the building.

"What? What is the meaning of this?" Renji choked on his breath.

"What do you mean?" Ichigo is clueless about what is going on.

"Don't you see the body on the wall?!" Renji stressed.

"Body? There's nothing on the wall. Ah, but there's a sword," Ichigo squinted her eyes, "Why would someone nail their sword up there?"

Renji looked at Ichigo like she was crazy.

It is madness, Hinamori pulled her sword toward Captain Ichimaru who just arrived, and Kira intercepts her. They are having a shouting match that Renji could not quite hear since it is quite far from his position.

Then they released their Shikai!

Holy shit! What the fuck is going on?!

"I too see the body of Sousuke Aizen there," Yoruichi said. Indifferent to the sight in front of her, "The reason why Ichigo didn't see anything was that she never saw the Shikai of Kyouka Suigetsu. Renji, tell me what did Aizen tell the Gotei about his Zanpakutou?" 

"That Kyouka Suigetsu is a water type Zanpakutou. It can confuse enemies by using the reflections of mist, causing them to fight among themselves, Captain Aizen said so," Renji winced when he hears a blast sent by Hinamori's Zanpakutou.

The fight ends when Captain Hitsugaya appears, preventing the situation to get even more escalated.

"That's not Kyouka Suigetsu's ability. Its real ability is hypnosis. He showed it very willingly in front of all of you." Like what he did a long time ago... "The flies were from the Twelfth Division since Aizen is a captain it was easy for him to get it" ... And duplicate it. Aizen is quite of a scientist too.

"But why would Captain Aizen do this?! To Hinamori especially!” Renji flared his emotion, “He was the reason why she joins the Fifth Division! This is a bunch of bullshit-“

He then suddenly remembered the cat’s words to him.

 

Forget everything you know of your colleague.

 

No, this had to be a lie, it has to be!

 

Yoruichi is going to snap at Renji, only for Ichigo to beat him into it. Except the girl's expression is serene and holds no emotion.

"That was his intention, Renji. This was all his plan," Ichigo cannot help but lament, "Causing them to fight among themselves may not be Zanpakutou ability but it's sure is one of his skill."

Rukia's execution, camera flies, and today's incident. All of it is a part of this Aizen's guy plot.

Ichigo felt like a certain detective, smoking out of his tobacco with, whispered beside her right now. 

Living is a means to encounter mysteries that are beyond our wildest imagination. Now, shall we investigate?

She bemusedly smirked as she crossed her arms and leaned on the tree-wide bark she was perching at. Whatever you say, Sherlock Holmes, whatever you say.

 

Notes:

'Causing them to fight among themselves is not a Zanapakutou ability'
Me reading the Can't Fear Your Own World light novel... Fuck you, Shinji.

Chapter 20: Don't Stop Me Now

Summary:

Your know life is over now
Your life is running out
When your time is at an end
Then it's time to kill again

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo did not realize when Hanatarou collects her empty dishes, arms put together down her chin, too deep in her thought.

She cannot bring Chad and Orihime, that is obvious. Uryuu and Tatsuki are only physically alright. Chad's broken arm, Orihime's low spiritual energy, and Uryuu's Quincy's power in slumber. Leaving only Tatsuki who is healthy enough to press on. Yet one day of rest is not enough for her total recovery.

How did Ichigo know? Before her friends told her their crafted stories of their battle, she hugged them when reunited and analyzed their being. Emiya taught her Structural Grasp Magecraft, usually, it only works on objects. However, with Hohenheim's help, they manage to develop it for medical purposes (much to Nightingale's joy), to save time in an examination.

Her friends did not tell their stories chronologically, because it is supposed to be friendly chatter, so Ichigo did not pry. The fight with Testsuzaemon Iba left Chad with a broken arm, Uryuu cannot heal him so he provides him with a sling arm. The fight with Shuuhei Hisagi, Tatsuki, and Orihime did not win. They are in separate places.

So where is the event where Uryuu loses his power?

With the knowledge of Sherlock's bestow to Ichigo, here is the possible chronological story: After the fight with Tetsuzaemon Iba, Chad and Uryuu fight someone else next, the first cannot fight because of his injury, and the outcome; Uryuu had to sacrifice his power so they can win. Next, Tatsuki was hurt, badly. Orihime destroys the building to bury Shuuhei Hisagi (might be even out of rage), then heals Tatsuki. At some point the two groups met each other, Chad asked Orihime to heal Uryuu that is more injured than him. It was a success.

Chad is supposed to be next for Orihime to heal, but she just healed two-person with extreme injuries in a short time, so she cannot do it. No matter how great her healing capabilities are her spiritual energy is not as much as everyone else. A healer is a godsend, but they are people too in a group of brawn.

Is it because Ichigo used that wayfinding spell on those leaves? Making her friends encounter dangerous enemies on the way. Ah, but they are a bunch of stubborn teenagers, despite Yoruichi's warning not to fight any captain or lieutenant, they evidently ignore it.

Speaking of which, what kind of injury did Tatsuki get when fighting that scythe-wielding lieutenant?

Wait a minute, a scythe...

Ichigo glanced at Tatsuki's legs. Could it be...

 

... Did her leg got cut off?

 

"The cat is right, you know. You should focus on Rukia, regardless of...what Captain Aizen's planning in the background."

Renji's voice entered Ichigo's ears.

"Fine, I'll knock it down to a notch about this Aizen guy." 

"I wanted to ask, how long exactly you people trained for this invasion? Excliding the Shiba kid, of course."

Shiba kid?

Huh, what do you know? Renji's older than Ganju.

Damn, they really do age like elves.

"Hmm, approximately ten days."

With Ichigo as the only one who read Art of War by Sun Tzu because of the bullshit that Marisbury Animusphere created. 

"Ten-? Wait a minute, how old are you, people?" Renji flabbergasted.

"Three of us are sixteen, two of us are fifteen," Not for Ichigo, she is technically sixteen again.

Renji is lost for words.

"... How are you made it this far exactly?"

"Sheer fucking will," Ichigo clapped her hand to get everyone's attention, "Today we're going to get Rukia from the Senzaikyuu. I already decided; Chad, Ishida, Orihime, you are not coming."

She got a wide range of expressions, from helplessness to shock, and anger. Chad and Uryuu are resigned to their fate, Orihime is timid in her denial, and Tatsuki yanks Ichigo by the collar.

"What is that supposed to mean, we're here together to save Rukia aren't we?!" Tatsuki shouted.

Ichigo swatted Tatsuki's hand and nudged her in the leg with her sword sheath and the karate practitioners visibly shivered. Fortunately, her face did not shroud in fear. 

"Bringing you it's a gamble itself, Tatsuki. I'm not bringing Chad, Ishida, or Orihime because after all, when this is over I want to bring them back alive. Keep recalcitrating me and I'll change my mind."

"But-"

"ARISAWA!" Uryuu shouted. Stopping Tatsuki's insistence.

 

So, Ishida is the one who asks them to lie for his sake. Ichigo wished they were just honest with her. Deep down, she hoped they did not turn into... Well, her.

The reason why she asked the Heroic Spirits to teach her was so she can stop hiding her weakness, that it is fine to be powerless sometimes. She had to be reminded that it was not her purpose to be the one who spills blood in battles.

Unlike this time, her Servants are mostly the ones who fight while she is supporting them from the background. Since she was not used to it, she often stubbornly wanted to fight everything by herself.

Suffice it to say, she was a brat.

Ichigo still remembers when Mordred hit her out of annoyance.

 

 

"You really can't let people do their job, do you? Listen you piece of shit, stop being a child and let us, Heroic Spirits, do what we're supposed to do! You're useless if you're dead! And when you're dead, humanity's hope is gone! Do you want to be responsible for that?! Stop me again from protecting you then I kill you myself!"

 

 

"Maybe I should've said this from the start... It's still too early for all of you to be able to lie straight to my face," Ichigo is satisfied when her friends went frozen, "Ishida, I don't care if this is about your pride for being what you are. What do you think I will do? Mock you? Cut the crap, we’re not a gaggle of five-years olds."

Uryuu wisely kept silent.

Renji and Ganju are looking at the group of humans with visible confusion as they do not understand what the issue is.

And as Ichigo concluded; they don’t need to know.

"Right, that settles it. Those who can't join, get some more rest. However, a sewer it's not a good place for recovering."

Too bad Ichigo cannot think of a place in Seireitei that is safe enough for a good rest and Soul Society's equivalent of the black ops might find them sooner or later.

"I know a place, leave them to me," Yoruichi said.

Ichigo turns to Renji, "You're good to go?"

Renji scoffed, "Obviously." 

"I suppose with our numbers, we need to come up with a plan..."

 


 

Ichigo, Tatsuki, Renji, Ganju, and Hanatarou are running toward the Senzaikyuu. Everything seemed to be going smoothly.

Why would not it be? They just need to run toward that big giant white tower.

No problemo.

Except for that immense spiritual pressure looming over them that felt like someone held a sword against their neck constantly.

"This is...- Shit! Ichigo, it's Captain Zaraki Kenpachi's spiritual pressure!" Renji warned.

Kenpachi Zaraki? That is the name of Ikkaku's captain-- In the next second, she felt it.

 

A sWoRd ruN thrOuGh hEr bOdY liKe shE Was noThiNG bUt a PiEce oF luMpY fLeSh.

 

Ichigo gasped and looked down to check her abdomen. She found no sword currently lodging within her.

It has been a while since she senses such killing intent. Some of the Servants were keen on projecting it to Ichigo for her to experience when training her to see her reaction to it; Kojirou slicing my neck, Mordred stabbing my stomach, and Scáthach piercing my chest...

 

Ichigo put her hand on her heart as sweat trickled from her forehead. This one wanted to eat her alive.

She saw Tatsuki, Ganju, and Hanatarou starting to have difficulty in breathing.

 

"Slight change of plan, all of you keep moving!" Ichigo commanded.

"Are you insane! That guy is a monster!" Renji looked as if Ichigo went mental. Is she seriously wanted to fight Captain Zaraki?!

"Then you know, he's not hesitant to kill us all! You'll take it from here, Renji. I'll catch up later."

 

As Renji leads the group away, Ichigo immediately unsheaths her sword and releases her Shikai, turning and beholding it firmly toward a tall figure of a man resembling a punk. His hair is in literal spike with bells at the ends of it. Never thought the sounds of a bell could be so eerie. He wore an eyepatch on his right eye, it connected to his neck like a choker.

A limiter? That has to be a limiter.

"Hmm, can't remember the last time I've fought a woman," The man grinned maniacally, "Doesn't matter, my name is Kenpachi Zaraki, captain of the Eleventh Division, I've come to kill you Ryoka!"

Madness, his spiritual pressure is filled with madness. A rampaging beast that wanted to pLaY

 

It's a goddamn fucking Berserker! What kind of military is this? Keeping a rampaging Berseker as a captain!

 

Ichigo sees a cloud of shadow flashing over her. At first, she that it was a prank when a little child with pink hair, laughing at the same melodies of Kenpachi's bells, used her shoulder as a stepping stone. The little kid bears the same wavelength of spiritual signature much like Kenpachi and she let it wash over her. 

She isn't like Jack...?

The tiny assassin of London, a cumulated existence of vengeful unborn children's souls. The pink-haired girl is not vengeful nor is a cumulated existence of anything, but she is ThirSty for playing.

 

The kid IS Kenpachi!

 

She's his--! But why is she outside in an open reality?! No way, a projected existence?!

"Hey, pay attention!"

Ichigo crossed her blade with Kenpachi's serrated one. To fight off Kenpachi's Reaitsu she has to release hers too at the same amount. Kenpachi laughed as he sees Ichigo is able to fend him to a standstill.

"So you're a monster too! That's good! Because I'm here to fight you to the death!"

Ichigo pushed his blade away to get some distance from him, "Fight me to the death? Not much cared to avenge your men are you?"

Kenpachi is cleaning his ear with his pinky, "Bah! I'm here for my enjoyment, Ikkaku told me you're strong, so I have to check it out. Enough talk, let's fight!" 

 

Kenpachi Zaraki lacks techniques in his attacks. Sure. But he is still a Berserker. Mindless attacks, unless they are in an absolute frenzy, can cover methodical fighting. He is not exactly a sane Berserker, sort of fifty-fifty. His attacks may be rambunctious, but his passion for seeking a good fight made him pay attention to what his opponents do.

Ichigo is hesitant at increasing her Reiatsu as being watched by those cameras flies again. This Aizen person has taken an interest in her, spying on her even with his deceased status. Is faking his death part of the ploy to capture the intruders or it is part of the bigger plan? 

It is a bad idea, to think while fighting a Berserker.

Ichigo is pressed to the ground, blocking that dented screaming Zanpakutou of Kenpachi Zaraki.

 

"Good, very good! I love a good challenge!" Kenpachi declared, "I haven't had this fun for years!"

Ichigo gritted her teeth in annoyance. This is not how she going to imagine spending her day.

 

 

Yachiru Kusajishi, the Lieutenant of the Eleventh Division, watched the fight on top of a smooth cliff, humming cheerfully.

"Kenny seems to be very happy!"

"And Ichigo seems to be very ticked."

Yachiru turned to see a man wearing templar garments sitting beside her. She cannot see his face because of the helmet.

"Wah! Who are you, mister?" 

"Me?" Fray chuckled at her innocent, "The question is who are you?"

"Hey, that's not fair. I asked you first!" Yachiru pouted. 

"Not fair as unfair as someone sending bugs around them, what if it interrupts their fight?" The man pointed at seemingly empty space around the battleground.

Yachiru looked at where the man pointing. She squinted her eyes as best as she can and focused. He is right. There are bugs around Kenny and Ichi!

"Wow, you're right! We should kill those bad bugs!" Yachiru did a little jump on her feet.

"I'm afraid I have to rely on you for this. You see unlike you, I'm immaterial. Though... I'm sure you know why you can see me."

"Eh, is that so? Then, I tell you my name and you tell me my name, it'll be our secret!" Yavhiru took out her pinky.

The man linked his pinky with Yachirus's pinky, "My name is Fray."

"And I'm Yachiru!"

 

 

Kenpachi throws Ichigo back with the swing of his swords. Ichigo rolled her body to the ground to ease the force as she got up by crouching while keep skidding backward. They are going to clash again only to be held back when Kenpachi's lieutenant lands in the middle between them, pulling her Zanpakutou out and seemingly cutting the open spaces around them.

The slashes Yachiru did was a confirmation for Ichigo that the tiny lieutenant is no regular lieutenant either as each slash gave out sonic waves.

"Yachiru, what are you doing?" Kenpachi gruffly asked.

"Oh, Kenny I hope you don't mind for this one. I was getting rid of some bugs for you and Ichi!" Yachiru beamed.

"Bugs?"

Ichigo saw the falling camera fly at the edge of her vision. She felt a tap on her shoulder. I see, I appreciate the help, Fray. With those bugs being found out, the perpetrator will be a bit hesitant to deploy another batch.

At least not for quite a time.

"Peh, bugs. I don't see any bugs. Get out of here Yachiru."

"Okey-dokey!"

And with that Yachiru's away.

"I have to thank your lieutenant, those bugs are indeed meddlesome," Ichigo bowed briefly at Kenpachi.

"Whatever, let's just continue."

"Yes, let's."

 

Kenpachi looked down and sees a long streak of a wound on your chest. He grinned. Finally. FINALLY!

 

"Finally... You dare to strike!" His yellow Reiatsu rose through the air, "No wonder Ikkaku lose to someone like you! The power you have it's very impressive!"

"I told you, those flies are meddlesome. With those gone, I can fight you seriously now," Ichigo steadily controls the rise of her Reiatsu, "You're quite a judge character too. The fact you decided to wield your sword even though this is the first time we face each other... You... don't just do that to everyone. Isn't it?"

"That's right! We monsters get to choose how are we going to decide the course of battle we want!"

 


 

Renji was starting to get annoyed because none of these people are fast enough to get to the Senzaikyuu, which is why he now carried Ganju on his shoulder and the Tatsuki carried Hanatarou on her back. The human girl could not do Hohou, but she can boost her speed with her power while leaving a trail (that disappears, thankfully) of fire behind.

 

He then sensed the rise of Captain Zaraki's Reiatsu. What the... What exactly is Ichigo getting into? To be able to make Captain Zaraki this compassionate in battle. She better be not dead at the end of this, after all, she also promised that she will catch up.

 

"Do you think Ichigo-san will be alright?" Hanatarou looked back to see a pillar of yellow Reiatsu in the distance, "That's Captain Zaraki she's fighting."

"No time to worry about her. We can only hope that she is!" Renji answered.

 

After beating the Soul Reapers that are guarding the cell gate, Hanatarou; while notably a meek child; is sleazy enough to steal the backup key for the gate.

Renji has to watch out for Ganju's reaction when seeing Rukia. The Shiba clan member must be very young when Rukia brought back Kaien to the clan compound. His family might be preventing him to know that Rukia was a member of the Kuchiki Clan so the Ganju would not have a grudge toward said clan.

 

Rukia was wondering about the two clashing Reiatsu outside when Hanatarou opens the gate of her cell. She was dumbfounded when there is a group of people who is not the prison guard who is barging in. 

"Rukia-san!"

"Rukia!"

"Ah, who? Hanatarou? Renji and Arisawa?" Rukia blinked in confusion, "What are you doing here?"

As Renji expected, Ganju reacts horribly when seeing Rukia. Renji has to stop him from lashing out at her.

"Stop it!" Renji held back Ganju by the back of his collar.

"Let me go! That's the Soul Reaper that killed my brother!"

Rukia widened her eyes when she finally recognized the symbol on Ganju's pants. The symbol of the Shiba Clan; The Collapsing Whirlpool of the Crashing Heaven.

"You're the boy at that time... You're Kaien-dono's younger brother..."

 

Alright. That's it!

 

Renji decked Rukia and Ganju in the head. The two were decked so hard that they literally hit the floor after.

 

He took a deep breath, "First of all, hey you Shiba kid. Do you know the whole incident of why Kaien Shiba died and Rukia had to bring his body home to his family?! When the day she killed him Kaien Shiba was actually possessed by Hollow!"

"Renji, stop! How do you even know about that? No one is supposed to know it outside the-"

"Your family, this brat's family, and the Thirteenth Division's captain. You're not the only criminal here, Rukia! I have sharp ears!" Actually, Renji simply put together the rumor mills spoken by the Thirteenth Division's members. As Rangiku-san said, gossip is useful too. "We don't have a lot of time here! Ichigo is fighting Captain Zaraki and soon other captains are going to be here too."

Worst. Byakuya is going to be there too.

"But you said you killed him that day!" Ganju shouted, "He was cut in the neck and stabbed in the chest! Don't give me the crap that he was possessed by a Hollow!"

 

Renji then slapped both Rukia and Ganju on the head.

 

"Why did you hit me too?!" Rukia snarled at her childhood friend.

"Because people never talk and create a millennia-old misunderstanding! Especially your and his family!" Renji snarled back, "Listen, kid. I know her since we were young but if you think Rukia Kuchiki is going to kill someone without reason then I can assure you that all Soul Reapers are trash!"

"Renji!" Rukia flabbergasted.

Renji ignored her, "That's right! I swear on it and I bet your brother knows that too! You nobles are so complicated, can you folks just say the truth to each other for once?! I mean why never tell this brat was possessed by a Hollow? The law I tell you, it's fucking stupid! It's not like Lieutenant Shiba is trying to gain a Hollow power or something, I bet it was the Hollow that killed his wife and her team too!"

"SHUT UP!" Rukia had enough and kicked Renji in the shin, "Lieutenant Kaien Shiba was possessed by a Hollow, he was not in control of his body when I stabbed him. See, I did kill him! I'm not an innocent person! Happy?!"

"Good thing you still have to spirit to kick me, short stack!" 

Tatsuki and Hanatarou have no idea what to do as the two arguing Soul Reapers kept throwing curses at each other. Ganju, however, was lost in thought.

"... You said your surname is a Kuchiki... Right?"

"Uh, yes," Rukia numbly nodded. Technically, Renji is the one who said it.

"... Let's get you out of here. We're wasting time."

 

Everyone was confused to see Ganju'c change of demeanor. Renji was going to ask for more clarification before felt that familiar Reiatsu.

It is his captain. Byakuya Kuchiki.

 


 

Being garroted by serrated blade stings. Choose how are we going to decide the course of battle we want, he says. Ichigo gritted her teeth. She gripped hard of her sword and block every attack delivered by Kenpachi. Their blade crossed, pushing her blade as strong as she can to push him back.

Kenpachi embedded his Zanpakutou in one of the walls between him to brake the push.

It does not hurt, not really. Maybe it hurts so much that Ichigo's brain is shutting down the pain. 

"It's starting to get interesting! isn't? We should drag this out as long as we can!" Kenpachi declared.

Ichigo narrowly dodged the point of his sword, nicking just below her right eye, "You're a crazy bastard! Do you like fighting so much that you're not afraid of dying?"

"I'm crazy? You're so strong why don't you like to fight?" Kenpachi laughed as he looked up at the sky, "An equal match! Not even by a little. You're definitely stronger!"

 

Kenpachi's hand which is not holding a Zanpakutou moved up to his eyepatch, "A WORTHY OPPONENT! I GO ALL OUT ON YOU!"

 

Ichigo watched and reflectively blocked her ears with both of her hands. His Reiatsu...!

 

"HEY, PAY ATTENTION! IF NOT YOU'RE GOING TO DIE!"

 

She can see him swinging his sword diagonally at her and for some reason, she stretches her hand forward at the deathly sonic wave sent by it as if trying to block it.

 

 

Steady now, ... 

 

Ichigo woke up with a gasp on the grass of the nostalgic city in her soulscape. She turned to her right and left before getting up on her feet. From the distance, she saw a male wearing a white mask of Hollow with a long pair of horns, black stripes, and teeth of Hollow. Each time he breathed through the mask, an air puffed out from the interstice of the teeth. Dressing in a black cloak that is a reminiscence of the Soul Reaper uniform and barefoot. He has long hair and it is her hair color. 

"You... You're here."

"Yes." His voice came out low.

He took off his mask. If Ichigo had an identical twin brother, this would be his face. However, he does possess some features that are unlike a human. His eyes are yellow with black sclera, instead of intimidating; those are the saddest-looking streaked pair of eyes.

Which makes Ichigo wonder when was the last time she was that sad.

"Of all times that my conviction has to be tested," She gave out a resigned sigh, "I was the student of warriors who enjoy fighting, some of them even sought enjoyment in bloodshed. But I can't, I simply couldn't. No matter how monstrous I turned out to be in the end."

"True. But you're not exactly a pacifist either."

Ichigo glared at him.

A clink of approaching boots resounded in the quiet spatial scape.

"Now, now, let's not fight needlessly," Fray settle down the tension, "Zangetsu, how nice of you to appear, or should I say, how bold of you to be able to maintain your position here. Well, I suppose there's nothing you can do when you're an envoy." Ichigo's other self then dutifully stands beside her, cockily putting his hand on his hip, "For an old spell you're very stubborn." 

Ichigo walked closer toward the man now dubbed Zangetsu, "He's right though. I'm not exactly a pacifist. It's not my fault that I am what I am. A King...and you Zangetsu, are the horse. This what you said to me a long, long, long time ago."

Instinct?

Ichigo scoffed, "But now... I know we're better than that. That's why we're going to play a game with Kenpachi. A tag."

 

Steady. Now.

 

 

Kenpachi suddenly saw Ichigo in front of him, a sword in her hand, blocking his blade from killing her.

What was that? Is he seeing things?

"You're wondering what was going on, didn't you? It's called a paradox," Ichigo stooped blocking Kenpachi's sword, and stepped to the side. The serrated blade unceremoniously falls to the ground while still being held, creating a creeping crater to her side. She twirled her sword and rested it on her shoulder, "You're right, I don't like fighting. I only like it in a normal amount. That said, you speaking that I'm a monster and an equal. I have the right as much as you for deciding the course of battle we want."

Ichigo jumped and use Kenpachi's shoulder as a stepping stone to reach as high as the other end of the other wall. The one side Yachiru was not on.

She set her forefinger in front of her mouth and smirked, "Your fun is not my fun. But that doesn't mean we can't stop fighting. I have an offer. Shall we up the battleground? It's kinda dull fighting in such a boring landscape, don't you think?"

Kenpachi grins in anticipation.

 


 

Byakuya saw Renji walks out of the cell, behind him is one of the Ryoka, a Soul Reaper from the Fourth Division, and a man bearing the Shiba Clan symbol, shielding Rukia from him. 

"Move Renji."

Renji shakes his head, With all due respect, sir. I can't do that."

"Very well, there will be no mercy for you," Byakuya unsheaths his sword.

 

Byakuya was going to say his Shikai command only to be interrupted by those approaching two tremendous spiritual pressures.

They are coming closer and closer...

It is Zaraki and...!

 

"Impossible." He muttered. 

 

"Shit, we're really doing this, aren't we? Everyone, hold on to each other!" With Renji's warning, they gathered around Rukia to create a barrier around her.

They heard a crash of buildings falling over, Kenpachi's crazed shouts, a child laughing, and Ichigo's loud yelp of 'OW' and endless profanities. 

"This wasn't on the plan, I'm supposed to blow the bridge with bombs!" Ganju shouted.

"With Ichigo bringing a literal bomb toward us? Save it for later!"

 

Ichigo appeared first by flying in the air, followed by Kenpachi and that pink-haired child on his shoulder. They are creating a shadow that looms over Byakuya, eyes wide in disbelief seeing the scene before him.

"Hello there!" Ichigo salutes the captain of the Sixth Division. While at the same time blocking Kenpachi's sword, misdirecting the crazed man's energy slash to the narrow piece of structure that is called a bridge that is connecting the mainland and the Senzaikyuu.

"Byakkun, you're here too! Ichi is right, this is going to be fun!" Yachiru cheered.

The wooden bridge that connected the Senzaikyuu cannot hold the energy of Kenpachi's sword, it shatters and all the people on it are free falling.

 


 

"We're going to what?!" Renji cannot believe Ichigo's plan. It does not sound like a plan at all. It sounded like plain atrocities.

"Destroy the bridge' It's the only thing that connected the Senzaikyuu. Let's make sure she's not going back in there. We're going to use an airborne path to get away."

"We're just going to fall!" Renji affronted.

"Not if someone catches us, I can provide a ride. There's one contraption Urahara made that can help us," Yoruichi said. "But if there's a distraction in the way, it needs to be settled fast."

"Not if we can use the distraction for ourselves!"

 


 

Ukitake arrived late at the Senzaikyuu. When he arrived there, the bridge that connected said prison is gone!

"What...happened here?"

 

Notes:

Anime had censors over Bleach's depiction of injuries. In the manga, everything is much gorier. Sorry for making the fight with the rest of the Karakura gang offscreen, but I need to focus on Ichigo. Also, Uryuu fought Mayuri early.

No one ever said Rukia's noble surname. Ganju thought she was just some random Soul Reaper that is of nobility.

Chapter 21: Super Special Chapter: Jules Get Backstabbed

Summary:

Happy Birthday Julius Caesar.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Good day everyone, this Haytham90 also known as Runessa90 is here to open a very special show that I'm not sure I will do annually. I mean I did this because I want to celebrate the birthday of Ichigo Kurosaki!

"Happy birthday to me yay," Ichigo walks onto the stage.

By the way, this is the original Ichigo guys, mine still napping in the waiting room. Anyway, is it not considered a spoiler if you're here?

"What do you mean?"

Nevermind. Also, please do not forget that Ichigo is not the only one who was born in July. There is Nanao Ise on July 7th, Tatsufusa Enjouji on July 8th; he is the eight-division third seat, Shunsui Kyouraku on July 11th, Tatsuki Arisawa on July 17th, and finally, Tesuzaemon Iba on July 18th. Happy Birthday to all of you! Give them huge applause!

 

(CLAPCLAPCLAPCLAP)

 

Now I'm going to announce today's host, aside from Ichigo here we have Fray Myste, also known as Derplander, the poster boy of Final Fantasy XIV, and Merlin Ambrosius of Fate Grand Order universe. To be honest, I don't have enough budget to ask Tite Kubo, Yoshi-P, and Kinoko Nasu, so I can only borrow their characters. Fray! Merlin! Please come in!

"Hello everyone, it's me Fray Myste. My role is to be this fanfic's Ichigo's sort of Zanpakutou spirit and Alter Ego. I shall be your host today!"

"Hi! It's me, Magi☆Mari! Please support me on Tw*tch Stream! My role in this fanfic is hopping into Ichigo's dream. I hope the writer gives me character development!"

Well, I do not know about that. You are here as a projection, not even a physical presence. Vivienne will curse me if I let you out of Avalon. Everyone, if you do not understand what I just said, it is okay, it is Fate lore, do not worry about it.

"Right, let's just start. First of all, a small question for the Writer-san; why there are two names, Haytham and Runessa?" Ichigo read his card.

Like FGO, there is a male and female choice of protagonist and we can just switch, it is basically like that. My FFXIV character is using the Runessa name, while this AO3 ID is using the Haytham name. The '90' is the intended birth year.

"So they are OC?"

Yes, they are.

"Okay, didn't take you to be a hermaphrodite," Ichigo flipped his card, "Now, let us see what is my counterpart doing in the waiting room. Gudako Ichigo, can you hear me?"

-Hi guys I just woke up and now I'm playing Fate/Grand Order on my phone-

"You must be tired from shooting all day, Writer-san is cruel. Good thing I have a small role," Merlin commented.

-Not everyone can be a protagonist Merlin. Why do you guys call me anyway?- 

"It's the celebration of our birthday Gudako Ichigo," Ichigo said.

-Oh... I forgot about it. Hold on, is this live? Oh cool! Have you tried the expanded Free Trial of our critically acclaimed MMORPG FFXIV? You can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for FREE with no restrictions on playtime!-

"Okay, I think that's enough," Fray tells the crew to cut it off. "Second, what's with the title of this series Writer-san?"

The first part of this series is 'This World is Ours to Live On', a preview before you get into the main story. It is kind of a spoiler but I think this one is alright, it heavily foreshadows reincarnation. However, with Fate/Grand Order not finished and Endwalker not being released yet it is not safe to continue that preview. The main series title is 'This is Why We Can't Love You' and is based on the joke 'this is why we can't have nice things. 

"Foreshadows reincarnation and foreshadows the destruction, nice." Fray nodded.

Also, someone will say that somewhere around the -Nope! That's a spoiler. Moving on people!

"I'll say, the fanfic has a lot of magecraft shown in it. By the way, I'm also Gudako Ichigo's magic teacher-" Merlin got cut off. The screen is on again revealing Gudako Ichigo.

-I learn from you with extreme prejudice!-

"What I'm saying is," Merlin shut off the screen, "Gudako Ichigo's ability in magecraft is immense, even though in the story she has a loose understanding of which one is magic or magecraft. She's shown to be able to do elemental magecraft, runecraft, and spell crafting; which was helped by me."

Ah, most of them are plot devices. I mean she has a lot of time in Chaldea to learn all of those.

"But Writer-san, if Grand Order technically never happened because Gudako Ichigo fixed the timeline, doesn't it feel sad that she can't meet all of her friends she made along the way anymore?"

Ichigo, if you think Gudako Ichigo is less sad than you are, don't worry, she is not. I just have not gotten to the angsty part yet. You know how people love to hide their sadness through positivity, hahaha!

"..."

"..."

"I'm perfectly happy the way I am," Ichigo said.

Are you though?

"..."

 

(CUT)

 


 

(Backstage Recording)

 

Ichigo sobbed on a sofa, curled inside a security blanket. Gudako Ichigo is beside him, wearing her bunny hoodie and headphone, playing FFXIV with her new PS5 console.

"Estinien is dead," She said soullessly.

: How can you let me die? You're much worse of a healer than Urianger!: Estinien shouted from the discord server.

"I’m a Red Mage, not a healer, get your facts straight. Maybe because you're a Dragoon, why don't you try Dancer?"

 

KONO HITO DE NASHI!

 


 

Here we are in the Land of Shadows, where the infamous warrior woman Scáthach dwells. There she stands on a rock, overlooking the stormy seas and lightning crackling non-stop. Luscious hair flapping in the wind. She sighs for the tenth time today, then turns toward the camera.

"What?"

Nothing. Uh, it is your student's birthday. Want to join the party?

"Which student?"

The living one.

"... Yes," Scáthach sniffed.

It is a hard time for those who have a dimension to rule.

 


 

I think this is enough decorations for the celebration, we might need more blue roses. Ara, Gin why are you doing here?

"Hmm, I'm exchanging Kurosaki-Kun in hosting, you know that I have experience in this." Gin sauntered in. He is wearing his Hueco Mundo costume.

Hmm, the Arrancar Encyclopedia segment, you like that costume, are you? Also, that is the old costume from the old anime, I do not have the budget to order a new one.

"I think it's nice and it's okay, the costume budget goes for Gudako Ichigo's new Bankai after all."

You are right! I know there is a reason I like you Gin. HIGH FIVE!

 

(HIGH FIVE!)

 

"Why are you bunch of dumbasses doing?" Toshirou Hitsugaya steps in. 

Oh no, the party pooper is here. Toshirou-kun is so cruel and uptight, well I guess it makes sense considering what Is-

"SPOILER!" Toshirou warned, "Why are breaking your own rule-!"

A bang of loud music suddenly plays and Gin twirls as the light are on him.

 

"That's no big deal!"

"What decides what rules are the right ones?!"

 

"Not this shit again," Toshirou facepalmed.

Guilty as charged. Unfortunately for you, I have to drag Gudako Ichigo for taking a bath, if not she is going to attend her birthday with a morning breath. I will be back in a minute.

 

"Just where is the truth!"

"Do ya know?!"

 

"THAT'S ENOUGH!"

The music stopped. Gin looked around in his fake confusion and his eyes (Ha!) landed on Toshirou, "Eh?"

"That's not even the original catchphrase, you idiot," Toshirou said.

"There's this thing called improvising Hitsugaya-kun," Gin fox-smiled.

I'm back! Toshirou-kun help me add these roses and Gin do the bits!

 

"By the power bestowed upon me; crackshit, mumbo jumbo, and this gun that I found. I present you with the birthday people! Those who are not the main characters please line up first!"

 

Is that Billy the Kid's gun?

 

(BANG)

(It's My Party by Lesley Gore plays in the background)

 

 

All Bleach characters who are not the main characters and have their birthday in July lined up first, holding hands and giving a deep bow. Fray and Merlin gave them bouquets.

 

"And finally, the main characters!"

 

The line parted away leaving a space in the middle, Ichigo Kurosaki and Gudako Ichigo walk out while being escorted by Kisuke Urahara. They wave happily at the audience and throw strawberry kisses.

Oh my, Kisuke-san why are you there?

"Because Writer-san is part of the UraIchi Discord Server!" Urahara keeps waving his hands.

That is right everybody!

 

Congratulations on getting slightly older!

 

Notes:

Gin's singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcChmLH9Se0

This is a crack chapter and I'm having fun writing it!

Chapter 22: We Will Rock You

Summary:

And I'm free
Free fallin', fallin'
And I'm free
Free fallin', fallin'

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo's friend's voice went in through her ear and out from the other, screaming about her stupidity, idiocy, dumbassery, yadda yadda. Would not it be nice if Orihime was here though, catching these falling people with her barrier?

Hanatarou, being the good child he is, hugs Ganju by the torso and screams for his dear life instead of yapping at Ichigo like the others

Ichigo was tempted to turn on a piece of chill music in her head to tune them out but honestly, that is just way too cruel. Almost too cruel.

She missed the day when every single Heroic Spirit is the insane one as they simply sling her onto their shoulder or forced her piggyback before doing their death-defying stunts, found out that screaming is tiring so she stopped after the fifth time Cú Chulainn carried her around like a potato sack or was it the third time when Scáthach propel her at a pack of Wyvern for training purpose? Does not matter, all of them are a bad influence.

Squinting her eyes to see what are those specks of pink and yellow in the distance. Ah, she almost forgot about them.

Kenpachi was able to jag his sword on the wall of the cliff to stop his falling and now running on it sideways. That is quite impressive! Wait, was not there a pink-haired child dangling on his shoulder before?   

And Byakuya is using his Zanpakutou to surf in the air. Look at him go riding that wave of cherry blossoms! Gorgeous!

Ichigo should be worried about the enemies on their tail, she tried and failed horribly. How could she not when she has an infamous track record of fistfighting Goetia, banging his face with a shield? Falling from above while being chased by a battle-crazy lunatic and an asshole brother is nothing compared to that.

She can feel her collar being grabbed by Rukia grabbing her by the collar; her face is red with frustration and anger. Hmm, what is she angry about she is not sure. She cannot really make out what is it that Yuki's master screaming at her.

Good thing she can read lips.

"Stupid! Idiot! Scatterbrained-"

Ah, nothing substantial!

 

Seriously...

 

"Anytime now Yoruichi."

 

A wide white fabric snatch them mid-air, fuddling them inside before they reopen and became flying transportation. Steering it is a familiar black cat. Ichigo snorted, well you do not see a feline capable of steering an equivalent of a flying carpet every day.

"Thanks! I almost thought you won't come!" Ichigo shouted at Yoruichi. Her voice fights the strong wind that most likely dampens any weak voices.

"Tempting and should I remind you that we got a tail!" Yoruichi shouted back, "This plan is already reckless as it is so you better make it work!"

"Snnrk, you got a tail," Ichigo snickered.

"What was that?!"

Oh yeah, cat and superior hearing. Damn.

"Nothing! Ganju, go use your bomb! We got to fend them off!" Ichigo ordered.

"You know my fireworks are useless against them right!" Ganju's face shifted back to normal.

"Doesn't matter! Our choice in ranged is limited! You and Tatsuki better make it work! Hanatarou you can help by lit up the fuse!"

Hanatarou let out a squawk and fumbled at the stash of fireworks that Ganju shoves at him, while Tatsuki got onto her stance, ready to kick the fireworks at the approaching enemies. Poor little medic is shaking as he cannot handle with the sudden adrenaline pumping in his body and work his best to pitch the explosive with Ganju as Tatsuki uses her kick to send a bunch of TNT toward their pursuers.

 

There is the sound of explosions and Kenpachi's laugh booming in the air. That man finds this as an amusement, but cannot say the same for Byakuya though,

"Yo, Kuchiki! Today is surely a lot of surprises! I'm glad that carrot-top set this so you can join the fun!" Kenpachi cackled.

"Shut your trap." Byakuya then makes a mistake slicing Ganju's ball of fireworks, only served with a rainbow of sparks on his face.

Kenpachi's ever-growing glee only sours Byakuya's mood even more.

 

"Ha! That'll teach him to never rig a Shiba's firework! Think by slicing it he can cancel the forthcoming? Wrong! My family art is unstoppable!" Ganju boasted.

"We need to keep it coming, who knows what Ichigo's going to do after we spent all of it!" Tatsuki fixes her stance. Every time she kicks the more she slides off from her position. She is after all on top of flying transportation moving at high speed.

Hanatarou is chanting Amitabha endlessly.

 

"Those three surely having fun- OW! Rukia what gives?!" Ichigo rubbed the spot where the petite girl hit her.

"What the Hell are you doing here?! I didn't ask to be saved, you idiot!" Rukia hit Ichigo once more, "Didn't I tell you not to come? Now you all bleeding everywhere! Looking almost half dead like you just trying to reattach your limbs!"

"Cut me some slacks, Soul Society has a Berserker as a captain. Of course, I'll be looking half dead fighting him. By the way," Ichigo posed cheekily with her rags after-beater fashion, "Like the new look?"

"You know what, maybe you're not trying to save. Maybe you're trying to kill yourself!"

 

Ichigo nudged her eyebrows up amusedly. Killing myself? Oh boy, I might just be. All of the dried blood plastering Ichigo's skin making the ripped clothes glued to her body was not her intended impression if she want to meet Rukia again. It is fine, she can take a bath later.

As much as being dubbed a monster by Kenpachi, which she is, she would not deny it. She still has one problem, she is not in her prime so the output she uses is limited. Continue this even further then her body will be forced to shut down.

She cannot wait to be in her twenties again. Getting de-aged is suck!

"And when exactly did you tell me not to save you?"

"After Nii-sama attacked you!"

Ichigo takes a good look at Rukia. Snappy as she is; the petite Soul Reaper becomes pale, thin, and extremely low in spiritual energy. Perchance is some sort of sign of malnutrition for Soul. And Rukia is already small in stature but when they first met, she was anything but frail, and now...

Honestly, Ichigo is glad that Rukia still got some energy to scream at her.

"I was unconscious! How am I supposed to hear anything after your brother butchered me alive!"

"I thought you might be a bit awake..." Rukia sheepishly said.

"He was trying to kill me! You expect me to be a bit awake?!"

"Can I say something?" Renji decided to butt in.

"No! You helped Byakuya butcher me alive!" Ichigo refuted.

"Well, clearly I failed and you broke my favorite glasses. Twice!"

"Whatever, they're ugly anyway!"

"I agree," Rukia nodded, "I don't know about the second one though. Renji, when did you buy a new one"

Renji gawked in disbelief at the two girls who suddenly found camaraderie in criticizing his taste in glasses. Then they could not help but fall into silence, Ichigo however abruptly stands up, grabbing Rukia by the shoulders and forcing her eyes to look upon her.

It is a pair of eyes that uphold promises. and swear to never break it.

"Even if I did hear you telling me not to come, I definitely will come anyway. Since I have promises to keep."

Rukia blinked in confusion, "To me? But I never made you promise any-"

"I'm sure this is not how it suppose to work," Ichigo then held up her forefinger to the front of her lip and winked, "If a piece of you asking me to help you then it only makes sense that I have to save you."

 

Renji did overhear the talk the night before between Ichigo and Yoruichi. Ichigo then talked about a seal that held the spirit of Rukia's Zanpakutou that was etched on her left arm and as today she said 'If a piece of you asking me to help you', it almost sounded like the Rukia's Zanpakutou spirit, Sode no Shirayuki herself, manage to communicate with Ichigo.

Renji does not know if bearing a Zanpakutou's spirit in an array of seals is supposed to be impossible or not. He stared at Ichigo, who currently basking in satisfaction seeing Rukia's dumbfounded expression.

Just who and what exactly is she...?

 

"If you're telling me to run away, I will not do it. Not even the most stubborn attitude you muster can evict me," Ichigo flicks her forefinger to point at Rukia's nose, "From this point, all of your opinions are rejected!"

"What is that supposed to mean, what kind of strange rescue attempt is this?!" Rukia protested.

"I admit it's strange, like I said technically you asked to be saved."

"Huh?! I never said that! Just what are you..." Rukia is at loss for words and sighs in defeat, "You never change, do you? Ignoring everything I say."

"To be fair, Rukia, you only know me for several months. Even those who had known me since I was a toddler don't fully know me. Relax, I won't die. I refuse to die stupidly in a place like this." 

 

No one sees Tatsuki's almost non-existent flinch except Ichigo when she utters those words. She inwardly shrugs at the possible denial in her childhood friend's mind.

She also saw Ganju's bombs are starting to run out.

 

Guess, it's time for the next step.

 

Ichigo unsheaths her sword, combining the end of the scabbard and the butt of her sword, amber light erupts from the weapon as it joined together and shifts into a spear. She observed Kenpachi and Byakuya mildly with clear fascination. Which one should she hit first? Boy-in paratheses-s Over Flowers or the Cookie Monster?

To Rukia, the way Ichigo hold her spear reminded her of Kaien and his trident Zanpakutou. It is an uncanny resemblance.

Her Zanpakutou can turn into a spear? Ikkaku-san's story was right. Renji then seemed to realize what Ichigo is going to do, "Ichigo you can't fight both of them alone!"

Cookie Monster it is then. "Then I'll take down one first and since our battle is long overdue," Ichigo jutted the point of her spear in Kenpachi's direction, "Kenpachi Zaraki! It's time to finish this!"

 

Kenpachi saw the provoking manner that Ichigo threw at him, "FINALLY!" 

Blaring his monstrous Reiatsu that cowers over everyone in the radius. Those who did not are Yoruichi, Byakuya, whose face literally says 'The heck is wrong with you!'; and Renji, who dutifully shields Rukia from it, and finally no other than the challenger herself, Ichigo.

"I'M GOING TO ENJOY THIS, ICHIGO KUROSAKI!" Kenpachi soared past his fellow captain.

 

Ichigo takes a deep breath and sets into a stance that her Celtic master taught to all of her disciples; to Ferdiad, the Stoneskin; Cú Chulainn, the Hound; Connla, spawn of the Hound; and finally, to her. However, it was known to her mentor that she may master it but the effectiveness is not as destructive as them evoking it.

She has to find an alternative to land a bigger blow on her enemies when using a spear and the solution is not throwing it but rather jumping from above, closing the gap by descending like a shooting star. 

She does not create it, that would be taking the credit from where the style originated.

And she know, at the moment, throwing the spear would not do much damage to Kenpachi because of her de-aged body. 

 

Because it involves a 'shooting star-way of jumping', many Servants made a joke out of it.

The Kangaroo dive.

Ichigo was not amused.

 


 

"I made you fight too many Wyverns that you practically dive for it," Scáthach hummed while fiddling with a piece of roasted boar.

"... Is that a pun? Did you just make a pun?" Ichigo cannot believe what she just heard.

"You know what, we should call you that. Dragondive!"

"Don't you mean Wyverndive?"

"Oh, you silly student of mine," Scáthach points the bone of the finished roasted boar at Ichigo, "You are the dragon."

 

Although everyone called it 'Hoppity-Hop, Hop! Kangaroo Dive!' and  Ichigo punched Achilles for making that epithet. Screw the Grail for making Heroic Spirit know what a kangaroo is!

Thankfully there were almost no cases of Australian Heroic Spirits.

 


 

"Ichigo, are you crazy?! You can't beat Captain Zaraki!" Rukia shouted at Ichigo.

 

She does not listen.

 

Ichigo tapped her feet firmly on the flying platform she was on and everyone near her covers their eyes when blue spiritual energy is suddenly ablaze from the point of the spear. A mirage of a creature formed from the blue spiritual energy; she position her spear upright and the energy creature, separating itself from her, soared toward the two captains.

Byakuya was going to do so he can intercept the creature to be used as a stepping stone by Kenpachi to push forward. Like a madman he is, engulfing himself in the fiery creature, not caring how much it burns his skin.

The creature slowly phases away and everything is finally clear, he saw Ichigo is no more on top of the center of the flying fabric.

 

Everyone heard a roaring beast from above in the next second.

 

Briefly, Kenpachi saw something blue coming at him with the speed of homing missile from on top of him. Just in time, he held up his sword to fend off the pointy end of a spear that intended to tear his body.

He grins. HOW EXCITING!

Gathering all of her willpower, Ichigo's eyes flash yellow, and Kenpachi goes down...down...and down, with the force of such a spine-shattering dive.

 

The ground where they landed was caved in deep. Gravels and sand lifted up, creating a thick layer of dust that effectively hid them for a while if not for the wind clearing them after.

 

Kenpachi Zaraki still held his sword, blocking the spear that never reached his body. Trademark grin plastered in satisfaction.

Ichigo breathe steadily, holding the spear, and did not budge from her position. Her face is unreadable.

The two did not speak for a few seconds.

Then the Kenpachi's Zanpakutou broke.

 

The sound of steel clanking on the ground is the only noise filling the silence. Blood spurting from the specific degree of angle of Kenpachi's new wound. Despite the spear never reaching him, the sheer force of it went through.

 

Ichigo calmly retrieves the form of her spear into a sword and scabbard, sheathing them, and kept them at her side. Her legs gave out, gasping, and gathers as much oxygen in her lung.

"You cheat, I expected a rematch," Kenpachi spat out some blood. His body fell backward.

Ichigo rolls her eyes and tries to get up, but as if there is a stray banana peel, she fell. No energy in her limbs. Pushing down this lunatic is like moving a stubborn bull!

"Can't promise you that, I got a friend to save."

She has no choice but to stand down for a moment and deal with the burnout. 

"... Hey, kid. What's the name of your Zanpakutou?"

"My Zanpakutou name?" Ichigo finally manages to sit her body up, "What's with the sudden interest?"

"Zanpakutou are tools of war. Fighting side by side with it is just a whining word of those spineless who won't fight by themselves," Kenpachi says as the pink-haired child that always clung to his back appeared out of nowhere. She comes to his side and crouches with a wide smile, yet not saying anything.

"My sword has several names," Ichigo looks at her with an unreadable expression, "For you people who live in Soul Society, the name it bears is called Zangetsu. That's all I can give to you."

"You...fight side by side...with it?"

"I do. I fight side by side with him all the time."

"Him, huh? That... sound...ticklish."

Kenpachi kept on grinning before darkness take him.

 

"Thank you! Thanks to Ichi, Kenny was having so much fun! He hasn't been this happy for a long time!" The pink-haired child bowed to Ichigo. She lifted her unconscious captain with ease, "Don't die okay? Hopefully, you can play again with Kenny in the future!"

No, thanks. Thanks to Ichigo's first-hand experience with overpowered children, the scene before her does not quite shocking, "... Right." WHY MUST MY MOUTH BETRAY ME?!

"I'm off then-"

"Why didn't you didn't tell him, about who you are?" 

The child stares at Ichigo curiously, letting out a childish hum, "Don't be unreasonable. He's not that far off."

"... Considering his feelings. I'm sure he wants to get stronger with you. Right, Yachiru?"

Yachiru giggled, "I know! Ichi you're so funny, telling me what I already know!"

Ichigo wanted to go home.

 

 

The clashing of two spiritual pressure has finally died down. Byakuya senses none of Kenpachi's nor Ichigo's spiritual pressure. Who won?

To think that brat whom he defeated in the World of the Living ever dare to take down Kenpachi. It seemed like yesterday she was lying worthlessly on the pavement and now she thought she is strong enough to challenge Soul Society. 

What strife her to do all of these pointless things?

Byakuya lifts his hand and sends Senbonzakura toward the group that took Rukia. No matter if there is Renji or the Shiba kid on it too.

 

Then an explosion startles him, the petals he is riding on seem to be thinning.

Something is attacking his Shikai.

 

It happens again and one of his feet slipped, quickly renewing the structure of the petals he looked down.

 

In the next second is an arrow with the color of tourmaline in front of his face...

 

 

Cracking her back, Ichigo stands with the help of her sword to balance herself. Okay, eliminating Kenpachi was dumb as it made her too far away from the rescue group.

When was this part of the plan? Argh, forget it.

"Now where's that Boy-in paratheses-s Over Flowers?" Ichigo looked up and squinted her eyes to spot a wave of pink chasing a white fabric. There he is!

She untied the blue sageo that always adorns her scabbard, and thought that it is time for improvisation.

"Ichigo you're still unfit to do anything strenuous," Fray reminded her, "You need at least twenty minutes for recovery."

"We're not going to use our own arrows, I brought gems."

 

Ichigo untied the blue sageo that decorated her scabbard and once again unsheathed her Zanpakutou, combining it with the scabbard again. Instead of a spear, this time it turned into a bow.

The sageo automatically attaches itself to the bow, turning into a bowstring

She took out a blue gemstone from her unruined sleeve and with magecraft, she turned it into an arrow. 

 

A thousand away on the ground, Ichigo aims and nocks several arrows at Senbonzakura. The tourmaline gemstones were enchanted with ice runes, when they hit the petal blades, the ice effectively freeze them.

Ichigo nocks this one particular arrow and as it is getting closer to Byakuya's face, she snaps her finger.

 

"Heulen."

 

 

A krone of ice sprang out, blinding Byakuya, and he lost his focus.

 

 

"What was that?!" Renji cannot see what is making Byakuya stop on his track because of the blinding sun.

"An ice spell!" Rukia cries out in relief, "Ichigo's alive!"

Yoruichi heard that and turn the flying mount around, descending so fast to reach the ground. Ichigo's alive? Rukia just said an ice spell, so Ichigo is capable of more than fire and lightning Kidō? Based on what Kisuke told her about the fight between him and Ichigo is apparently a Kidō practitioner.

However, he concluded that the fire and lightning spell the girl used was not Kidō, at least it was not cast in the way how standard Kidō that Soul Reaper used. Instead of chanting long words, Ichigo used Norse runes.

They came down to find Ichigo wielding a bow. A Zanpakutou with a form of a bow as a Shikai form is non-existent in Soul Society, Yoruichi suspected it because of her association with the... Quincy.

The bow Ichigo wield is also far cry from the blue-and-white-Reishi bow to that of Soul Reaper's sworn enemy, it is black; like the spear she previously hold, laced with a red highlight and its bowstring is blue in the color of the sageo that always decorated Ichigo's Zanpakutou's scabbard.

It is an unusual bow and Yoruichi wondered if Ichigo used Reishi to create her arrows. She refrained from asking.

Yoruichi thought it is weird. In Kidō, elemental spells are not real nature elements, they are Reiryoku controlled to mimic the effect. Sure they burn, electrocute, or blast but they are not the real deal. An ice spell especially is non-existent; unless the Soul Reaper wields an ice-aligned Zanpakutou.

Yet it has boundaries, there was no Zanpaktou ever to have two elements attributes. The wrath of Mother Nature is unforgiving. If wielding one element can already cause a significant natural disaster, why bother with two elements in one sword? That is plain greed.

Ichigo's Zanpakutou...it is not clear what kind of attribute it possesses.

 

"Ichigo, you're okay!" Rukia runs to hug Ichigo.

"Uh, yeah...sort of," Ichigo pats the hugger reassuringly.

Yoruichi took a double-take at Ichigo's eyes. Since when are her irises yellow? It looked like a Ho-

"We got company!"

Ganju points to the sky at an angry Byakuya who dives down with a wave of pink.

 

What is worse, Ichigo sensed that creeping shadow from behind and blocked a katana and a wakizashi with her bow.

The man who is responsible is wearing a straw hat, lifting his head, and giving her a small smile. He has high cheekbones, grey eyes, and long wavy brown hair. He wore a flower-patterned pink lady kimono on top of his captain haori. He stuck out like a sore thumb. He has this look of fascination at Ichigo before jumping back.

(There is surely a lot of pink today.)

 

"C-Captain Kyouraku?!" Rukia gapped.

Ichigo cursed their luck.

And Byakuya is coming, thousand of blades charging toward them!

"Everybody gather up!" Renji shouted.

Ichigo has no idea what Renji is planning but she trusts his decision. Sending a Gandr at this Kyouraku guy to stun him so he will not come closer when they are gathered. They huddled together in the middle with Renji in the center, Zabimaru pointed at Byakuya...

 

"BANKAI!" 

 

The dust cleared. A segmented bone resembling a mix between a snake’s vertebral column spinning in a dome motion, protecting the group from the blade of petals that rain down mercilessly. It uncurls to reveal Renji...alone.

"Hihiō Zabimaru."

A puddle of sand is on his feet.

 

"Through the sewer system, I see," Kyouraku hummed thoughtfully. He flexed the muscle of his body, feeling the stun wearing out, "Clever bunch."

 

Renji suddenly outstretches Zabimaru in a direction that is not Byakuya or Kyouraku. The giant snake-like head gains some distance before opening its jaw; Ichigo, with Rukia on her back, jumps out from the maw and kept running farther away from the battle. 

 

Way too clever. Kyouraku huffed in amusement and dashed after them. This is Byakuya's and Renji's fight.

 

"Thank you, Hanatarou, for doing this," Ichigo said to the small medic on her back.

"You're welcome... Uhm, Ichigo-san," Hanatarou blushed, "Did you see me changing?"

Oh, to taste humor in a time of crisis.

"I swear to you, I close my eyes tightly." 

 

Notes:

Mirage Dive, Delivers an attack with a potency of 300; Spineshatter Dive, Delivers a jumping attack with a potency of 240, which Cannot be executed while bound. AKA. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? IT'S A DRAGOON!
Using jewelcraft does cost Ichigo energy. To save time to weave enhancements, she prepared everything before going to Soul Society. It's like Thancred who cannot use aether anymore and needed his Gunbreaker bullet to be enhanced by his comrades.
Heulen (German): Howl, cry. wail, scream, etc.

The bow is one of many forms that 'Zangetsu' is able to take! It's the whole definition of Ichigo's whole being from being taught the art of war by her mentors. In MMO language; She is an all-rounder; a Tank, Ranged-DPS (both Caster and Non-Caster), Melee-DPS, and. Healer

Chapter 23: We Did Everything Right

Summary:

Bushido and Sakura
The King of the Jungle
Oiran and her Kamuro
The Harbinger

The white of her silken dress is stained in red.

Notes:

/macroicon "Ascend"
/ac "Swiftcast"
/wait 0.5
/ac "Ascend"

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Renji risked it all by using his incomplete Bankai to fight Byakuya. Zabimaru wanted to fight with Zangetsu again, but Renji said he and Ichigo are no enemies, not anymore.

Maybe he can ask to do some mock battle with her if she accepts.

 

So, why does he want to fight now?

 

To Hell with his rusty Bankai; ever since his academy day, the moment Rukia was adopted into the Kuchiki clan, he made a vow to surpass Byakuya Kuchiki, so he and Rukia can stay together like their time in Rukongai before. Rukia's safety is far more important.

He will do it even if it is mean he had to smuggle her out of Soul Society and beyond Rukongai.

But troubles keep finding them.

The arrival of Captain Kyouraku is unprecedented. Thankfully, Ichigo used her quick thinking to use Hanatarou as a decoy since he and Rukia are almost of the same stature, looking like they are escaping from him with the real plan to drive him away.

The boy from the Fourth Division only knew Rukia as who used to clean her cell in the Sixth Division and yet he still agrees to their crazy plan. Not caring if Captain Kyouraku, or worse, Captain Unohana, might kill him for it.

 

Renji braced himself, Hihiō Zabimaru slithering mad at his opponent.

 

Even with all of the trials that come before them, they must not be deterred. Not now. Not ever.

 

"Bankai? When did you come to achieve it?" Byakuya asked. Not even a minuscule muscle around his eyes shows changes.

The demeanor stung Renji's ears. Their subordinates are reluctant to interact with Byakuya because they have no idea how to put up with it, still respectful but afraid. If anything happens, problems in the subordinate's circle, Renji is the one who had to deal with it with genuine expression.

Every single day he has to deal with this treatment.

"You're never someone who has time to interact with any of your subordinates," Renji spats. When he became the lieutenant of the Sixth Division, interacting became his primary job because his captain's cold nature is a whole level, "I'm not expecting you to know any better." 

Byakuya let Senbonzakura circle around the area, his blank expression as if he is not affected by his lieutenant's new display of power, "Step aside Renji, or I have no choice but to kill you."

Renji scoffed, "It doesn't make a difference whether you kill me or not..."

 


 

Ichigo and Hanatarou step inside Zabimaru's maw. Around them is a swirling bone of Renji's Bankai, protecting them from a rain of petal blades.

"Ganju, Tatsuki, follow Yoruichi-san through the sewer system. Protect Rukia!" Ichigo handed Rukia away. Before they execute their plan, she displays her fist at Renji, "Whatever it takes?"

Renji nods and replies with a fistbump, "Whatever it takes."

 

Even if it cost their own lives.

 


 

Renji's eyes filled with courage, "The most important thing is that I swear, I'm going to save Rukia. Whatever it takes!" 

"You swear...to who?"

Byakuya bends the petal blades into the air. Letting them do their deadly dance.

 

A baboon with a snake as a tail spoke to its master, their voices collided in one, "Tell him Renji."

 

"To myself!" Renji launch Hihiō Zabimaru, and its jaw opens wide.

 

Hihiō Zabimaru crashed into Byakuya who cancel the transformation of Senbonzakura to block the snake teeth. It pushed him continuously before to the side of Sōkyoku's cliffside, then destroy the structure of the gigantic slithering snake very easily with his petals sword. The scattered remains fall to the ground, leaving Byakuya standing seemingly victorious.

How surprised he is when he sees the remains reattach themselves into a familiar shape of a whip that is always wielded by Renji.

"What's with the look?" As in command, the ground shook and some more segments launched up" These segments are connected by my spiritual power. I scatter them on purpose so I can fend off your tiny blades."

 

Byakuya barely avoids them as he tries to find his footing on the ground. The segmented parts of Hihiō Zabimaru shredded him, creating multiple wounds on his body.

His knees touched the dirt below and showed the consideration that he may need to get serious.

 


 

Miles away, Ichigo senses the raging Reiatsu that is owned by Renji. She silently wished him and all of her friends who were escorting Rukia all the luck in the world and kept on running away from the flamboyant captain.

 

Flamboyant yet shadowy.

 

As expected from a captain, the essence of the creeping shadow easily catches up to her. 

At the same time, Ichigo ducked a swipe coming from her left. Kyouraku has caught up to her.

Skidded to halt her speed and took some steps backward to get some distance from the shadow. There is a sense of concept around him that reminds her of a reality marble, it forcing her to participate...in their little game.

His essences-footing is much more solid than Byakuya's.

 

One thing is clear, this Kyouraku person is stronger than Byakuya.

 

Ichigo gritted her teeth. Of all the times my True Sixth Sense finally able to be activated is fighting this type of adversary!

.

.

?!

There is a child with purple hair with her back turned. She sings and claps to the rhythm, strangely what comes out of her mouth is an adult voice.

 

When, oh when will it come out
In the night of dawn
The crane and turtle slipped
Who is behind you now?

 

"ICHIGO!"  Fray's voice drowns the song.

 

Without Fray's warning, Ichigo almost loses her head. A good thing also is that Hanatarou always lowers his head while he clung to her back so would not lose the casing of his brain. Why is the song of Kagome Kagome ringing in her ears? Shit. Learning the True Sixth Sense is so troublesome sometimes.

 

True Sixth Sense was the main reason why Scáthach trained Ichigo. They both have the criteria to be able to learn it; their Spirit Origin allowed it.

Her teacher taught her a magecraft of how to use 'translate things' around here as long as those other 'things' have their own Origin. Loosely said, translates a phenomenon into a different version of a phenomenon that they are able to understand.

Information received by their five senses and processed by their brain, with their additional sense; the sixth sense, got the task to project it back to their physical five senses.

The image of the purple-haired girl and the song is the result of Ichigo's Origin and Kyouraku's sort-of-a-Reality Marble' clashing with each other. 

 

Also, Kagome Kagome?

 

What kind of a Zanpakutou is asking to play a childhood game as a battle tactic? This cruel universe and its penchant to make something innocent be horror.

 

"I never thought Katen Kyoukoutsu is ever been this happy, or perhaps never at all" Kyouraku said while looking at his sword like it was an impatient person, "Sorry, you see my Zanpakutou is usually moody all day. But for some reason, she seems to be very keen on playing with you today."

 

Ichigo let out a heavy sigh. Seriously, feudal people and their magic swords. 

"SMH, " Fray said.

I can't believe you said 'es-em-aitch' instead of 'shaking my head'!

 

Kyouraku let his sword guide him where he wanted to slash. Decapitating is definitely in his schedule today.

 

Ichigo swear to herself for this is not the day she is losing her head!

 

"Ryoka-san, will you please hand over Rukia-chan? No need for needless bloodshed... Eh?"

Hanatarou gets down from Ichigo's back and fully reveals his freckled face.

Kyouraku gave out a disappointed sigh, then he got excited immediately after, "Aha! Good one, I didn't see that coming! The real one is in the sewer system, how they will manage to navigate there?"

"Well, they have a black cat who knows the way," Hanatarou meekly answers.

Kyouraku widens his eyes comically, contemplating for a second before smiling, mildly amused, "With a black cat leading them, don't you think bad luck will strike them?"

"..."

"..."

"Oh, come on! It's a good joke!" Kyouraku defended.

He honest to God pouted in front of the two young'un in front of him!

"Why execute Rukia?" Ichigo changes the topic immediately, "Transferring her power to a human it's illegal in your law, yes. But why resort to execution? You can just grab me, extract her power, and wipe my mind. Isn't it better that I don't remember that I ever encountered a Soul Reaper!"

"And yet you're here and trying to save someone you barely knew. Why did you try to save Rukia-chan? She's practically a stranger," Kyouraku shot back casually.

Because I am a big fucking LIAR!

 

A Soul Reaper has to treat all spirits equally...was Rukia's lesson the day after Ichigo turned into a Soul Reaper. She said Ichigo has to accept to save all spirits, to even give her life to make such commitments.

Such is the duty of a Soul Reaper.

Then Ichigo reiterated that she did not accept shit. She saves because she wants to save. If things get bad she might run away, she is not good enough of a person to sacrifice herself for a stranger.

Except, the same kind of question was uttered once upon a time to the last master of Chaldea. Why bother to save humanity? They are nothing but a bunch of strangers who once Ichigo succeeds will not convey their gratitude for her saving the world. She often wondered why she did it; is it because of her family and friends who live in this world? Is it justice? Is it duty? Or is it because she simply wants to survive and did it out of instinct?

(She just wanted to go home.)

All of those dead and destruction and people still believe that the world can be saved. Those remaining staff of Chaldea, Heroic Spirits, Doctor Roman, and Mash. They stood by her side, no matter what she believes about the outcome.

When it was finally over, Ichigo realized it was all of that. Some people love her, there is rightfulness, and there is life. It was balanced with the same cost, for those who once loved her, there is wrongness and there is dead.

But still, why did she do it?

Because it was the right thing to do! No matter how bleak the world is, it is still her home. Full of life, dream, and hope!

(For those, we have lost. For those, we can yet save.)

 

"Simple, because I'm stupid."

Kyouraku is taken aback by that.

"Rukia is no stranger, she's my friend. And I will succeed, no matter what the cost," Ichigo brandishing her longsword at Kyouraku, "Hanatarou, stand back."

 

Hanatarou ran far to a place where he will not be affected by the incoming blast of two strong Reiatsu clashing.

 

"So young and vow in sacrifice already, that's not healthy, you know?" Kyouraku shakes his head.

"Oh, don't I know it," Ichigo rolls her eyes, "My name is Ichigo Kurosaki, knowing this is inevitable, will you accept my challenge?"

Kyouraku tips his straw hat respectfully, "Shunsui Kyouraku, captain of the Eight Division. Since I have no other choice, I accept." 

 

There is a beat... Suddenly the sounds of metal slamming into each other resounds in the air!

 

"Oya! You were even fighting Captain Zaraki before and you still have the strength to fight more. That's quite an endurance you have there!" Kyouraku whistled seeing his opponent able to withstand his advance, "Also, wasn't your Zanpakutou turned into a bow before?"

Ichigo does not answer his question and lets herself falter. It made her slip backward, midway through her fall she stopped it by tapping the ground with her left hand and using the odd momentum to kick Kyouraku's wakizashi from his left hand. Kyouraku merely raised his eyebrows at the dirty move, swinging his katana downward at Ichigo, who jumped away to the side, and quickly returned to her standing position; she transferred her sword to her left hand, using her right arm to reinforce the defense to block a blade which comes from her right side.

Kyouraku is quite surprised. She's ambidextrous? Hmm, how about attacking her with Kidō then?

 

"Shakkahō!"

 

Kyouraku was aiming point-blank at Ichigo's face only to find his Shakkahō to explode-- No! It is not exploded! Something fired back his Kidō with another Kidō! 

Ichigo replies back by casting a spell point-blank too at him!

The act made them thrown back several feet. Kyouraku had better footing to stop his body from being thrown more while Ichigo choose to roll on the ground till she stop.

Kyouraku dusted his slightly singed haori and found out his hat is missing. Reply back to an offensive Kidō with another offensive Kidō will literally get an earful from Genryūsai-sensei. That girl is out of her mind!

"Are you trying to blow yourself up?!"

Oh yeah, it's Tuesday for me. Ichigo got up wobbly, "Are you?" 

Brat. Kyouraku sighed. He searched where his wakizashi was. When he found it he nicked it up with the point of his katana, "What I mean is don't fight as if you've got nothing to lose for." He saw his hat lying innocently on the far side. When he tries to make an effort to reach it only to be beaten by Ichigo, who took it up and wore the hat for herself.

Oya, shy isn't she? What do you think Ohana?

"Quite a talented player she is," Ohana, the Katen (Heavenly Flower) of the Katen Kyōkotsu mused, "Can't say I'm interested. I like her Shunsui. What about you Okyo?"

Okyo, the Kyōkotsu (Madness Bone) of the Katen Kyōkotsu nodded silently.

 

Ohana circled Ichigo in curiosity, joining her hand to Ichigo's eyes, "Now, guess who~?" 

 

Kyouraku crossed his dual Zanpakutou in a cross position, "hana kaze midarete, kashin naki, tenpū midarete, tenma warau; Katen Kyōkotsu!"

Instead of a pair of katana and wakizashi, on his hands are a pair of huge, black, heavily curved Chinese scimitars; at a glance, their size looked the same, but the one on his right hand is bigger than the one on his left hand. 

Ichigo can feel it. The narration Katen Kyōkotsu trying to write. I've piqued your interest. Under the hat she wore, her eyes blazing yellow...then she wrote back.

 

Katen felt the person whom she covers their eyes touch her hand and they turn around... It was not Ichigo.

It is a man down with a templar attire.

His eyes blazing yellow.

"Oiran-dono, don't you think you're being a little bit too much?" Fray blankly answers.

 

 

Kyouraku whistled in awe as all of his attacks are continuously deflected by Ichigo, "Not bad, kid!"

Ichigo can only grit her teeth, he manages to cut her cheek. This type of fighter is the worst!

 

"Ara, ara! Kishi-san you've found me!" Katen smiled viciously.

Fray grunted.

 


 

Renji saw how easily Byakuya destroy Hihiō Zabimaru's form, even though he meant it to happen.

Senbonzakura, a Zanpakutou with the ability to turn into thousand tiny blade petals, reflected light in such a way as to resemble cherry blossom petals. Renji claims that he knew inside and out of that sword, or so he thought. The truth is, he knows he is not strong enough to beat Byakuya. His captain can beat him by speed alone, does not matter if he knew how Senka works.

His training for the past decades is not enough!

But the way his captain fight somehow gives him an idea. Hihiō Zabimaru's form is connected by his spiritual power, its main feature is the extension. If Senbonzakura has so many petals and because of its size it can penetrate every blind spot. Then what if Zabimaru has no blind spot? What if he keeps elongating it? The faster he whipped it the faster he swept those tiny blades...

 

" You finally use your brain Renji," The Baboon mused, "Don't think you had it in you."

 

Renji has no idea why the spirit of his Zanpakutou is so chirpy this way.

 

"It touched the ground, your knee that is." Renji rested his weapon on his shoulder, "I will defeat you, Byakuya Kuchiki, it's time to put an end to this."

Byakuya gets up, "Very well...the curtain that falls at the end shall be pulled down by my blade."

 

Renji once again throws his serpentine weapon at Byakuya again who raised his hand at him.

A Kidō spell!

He pulled back his whip to curl around himself as a blast of Sōkatsui without a chant blasted toward him. Tsk, trying to disrupt the rhythm of his attack is he? It would have worked if Renji is careless and did not see the same trick beforehand.

His fight with Ichigo changed everything it made him see where is he lacking. It is funny that the one who showed all of his weak points was an enemy, not his own captain. 

"Renji, it's too early for you to use Bankai in battle, there's a reason why someone needs to train at least ten years to master their Bankai," Byakuya said in his cold voice.

"I already know that. Though, at least I can stall some time for Rukia to get away."

 

Maybe someday, Renji can fight Byakuya till his heart is content. Right now, his priority is Rukia, he does not care if he loses.

It was quite a satisfaction seeing that vein of anger in Byakuya's temple.

 

Way to lit a fire on your ass Renji Abarai. He said to himself as he inwardly tap his shoulder for consolation inwardly.

 

"You should know Renji that I too have a Bankai," Byakuya let his Zanpakutou drown and a parade of swords rise from the ground, "Scatter..."

 

"Senbonzakura Kageyoshi."

 

Byakuya's Zanpakutou sinks into the ground and a parade of blades rises.

 

Renji took a deep breath. Flails Hihiō Zabimaru into steady and makes his count.

 


 

Ichigo ignored the spike of Byakuya's Reiatsu and opted to dance her blade to parry Kyouraku's rather vicious swordplay.

The games are ever-changing.

Hanetsuki; is usually played with a rectangular wooden paddle brightly colored shuttlecock, turning into a match of exchanging sonic waves, if you missed you get slashed, resulting in blood dripping from her leg. Marbles; she cannot believe she is the marbles inside the circle, Kyouraku is spinning around and it is up to Ichigo to predict where he throws his swords, resulting in the gash on her torso.

In other words; !@#$%^^&*!@#$%^&*.

Then she suddenly stepped on the line of Soul Society's expensive bluish-limestone tiles.

"Gotcha, you're out!" Kyouraku exclaimed, successfully slicing Ichigo's left sleeve.

It got the glove too, now a golden marking of a magical seal peeking from the torn area. Dammit!

"Since when did it change into Hopscotch?" Ichigo hissed.

"Just now~!"

 

The arrival of Shunsui Kyouraku is out of her calculation, why would a man who is in no need of petty fighting to be here?

Ichigo knows he is no Kenpachi, who seeks thrill in battle; or Byakuya who is tied to whatever the Hell he is having an epiphany at so he can ensure his sister's execution. There is no sense of duty in exterminating intruders, vengeance, or any actual desire from the man. So, why is he here?

"Why are you fighting me? I know you don't come here willy-nilly to play children's games," Ichigo thought it is might be the time to use the reserve Zangetsu made.

Kyouraku had the gall to scratch his goatee, "Hmm, my main objection is to retrieve Rukia-chan with my friend. I thought it was quite funny to see the whole bridge of Senzaikyū's gone. Now how are we going to escort prisoners there? Jumping across? Oh right, you were saying why Soul Society didn't grab you, extract the power, and wipe your mind? Come on, did you think we were that barbaric?"

 

... There is a literal execution on the way and he said THAT!

 

"Then again, you can say I just complying with what my Zanpakutou want, no big reason, "Kyouraku made a motion of habit at his head, most likely the tip-hat motion, "Ah, I forgot I didn't have my hat. Can I have my hat back missy?" 

Instead of responding, Ichigo grabbed her scabbard and joins it at the sword end, turning her weapon into a spear. It is no Gáe Bolg, the crimson barbed spear with the curse of an eternal wound, but she still can utilize it in the technique of how Scáthach taught to her students. 

"You can turn your weapon into a spear-like Madarame-kun?" Kyouraku said in fascination, "I hear you bested him several days ago. You know what, I love to play more but it's getting late. Last one?"

"Why not," Ichigo set her stance to that of her senior, Cú Chulainn. 

 


 

Renji has done it! He countered Byakuya's Bankai. Hihiō Zabimaru was circling him akin to a high-speed jumping rope, almost unseen like a string in the air with no blind spot. Then he saw Byakuya's frown getting deeper and pointing at him. 

Blue flame engulfs Renji's vision, there is the heat though it never reached him. Hihiō Zabimaru protects him but to think that Byakuya could cast a mid-tier Kidou without an incantation and its firepower is so great... 

Argh, shit! 

 

"It seems I can't breach your fortress..." Byakuya said sullenly, "How long you can keep that up, however, I wonder?"

 

"I don't have much of a trick and I admit my talent in Kidou is abysmal compared to Rukia or you, nonetheless I have no reason to have to back down," Hihiō Zabimaru soars into the sky, breaking the swords that come to end Renji, "That's why this attack is all I have left...,"

Hihiō Zabimaru roars its might, and segments open up with spiritual energy, spiraling toward Byakuya. 

 

"HIKOTSU TAIHOU!"

 


 

Ichigo scoffed; the straw hat was on the ground, trashed beyond repair, and she is crouching in a pool of her blood. Even with the technique of Gáe Bolg, she was still outlasted by Kyouraku. She stands with the help of her spear, turning to face her opponent.

Piercing Crimson Lance...was a terrifying technique. Still, she could not utilize it to its full potential because of the lack of divinity and unmatured condition.

Kyouraku still has his back on Ichigo, his twin-looking Zanpakutou were broken. He is not exactly unscathed, the left shoulder is unusable and bleeding but the attack she enacted on him should have torn his shoulder off. Why didn't though?

"What's with the hold-back?"

"I didn't... hold back, that...was the only firepower I can manage. I just know I couldn't win fighting you."

Not yetKyouraku bet in such a short time, Ichigo can duel perfectly on par with him, "And yet you disabled my shoulder, it's quite an accomplishment, I tell you that."

 

Ichigo abruptly perks up, it is Renji's Reiatsu, it was so high and suddenly died down.

He lost...

 

Suddenly a woman appeared beside her; purple highlight on her dark hair, set in a high ponytail with chin-length bangs framing the sides of her face, an orange over-shirt with two white straps on each shoulder, a large beige sash around her waist, and black stretch pants with a pair of lightweight brown shoes.

She carries the same grace as the familiar black cat.

"Yoruichi?"

Yoruichi was shocked when Ichigo's yellow-Hollow-colored-eyes stared at her wholly.

 

"Well, if it isn't a familiar face. Yoruichi Shihouin." Kyouraku said with a neutral tone.

 

Yoruichi did not answer and leaned down, "I'm sorry... They got Rukia."

Ichigo spats blood when Yoruichi shoved her hand into the wound on her stomach and her consciousness started to waver. It is a high dose of anesthetic!

She tried to fight it off. She must not sleep now!

 

"I'm sorry... They got Rukia."

 

Ichigo sensed she is falling into a rage.

It is pure unaltered rage.

 


 

Rukia stands in front of a man with long white hair, Ganju and Tatsuki lay unconscious behind her. The man is the captain of the division she worked for; Captain of the Thirteenth Division, Juushirou Ukitake.

 


 

All those fighting now lay to waste.

She was fighting to keep awake and when the darkness welcome her, she can only scream.

 

Notes:

Aizen is giving the Kingdom Heart vibe: Was any of this for real or not? Except it's no Tetsuya Nomura, just his Zanpakutou. Bleach has like 80% similarity with Kingdom Hearts. I mean if you can see it. Hollow = Heartless; No, I'm me! (Scoff) I'm me he said; Xehanort = Aizen, Sora (no self-preservation protag) = Ichigo (but since she's not as plucky as Sora, I guess she's more of a Riku), etc.

Renji's weapon is a whip and there's a lot of potential in wielding a such weapon. Unfortunately, he wasn't described as creative by Kubo, which is true. But this Ichigo is making him strive more and so he finally uses his brain kinesthetically. Renji's improvisation is mirroring the OG Ichigo swatting away Senbonzakura Kageyoshi with Tensa Zangetsu.
Kishi (騎士) = Knight. Katen is calling Fray 'Mr. Knight'

Chapter 24: Still It Came To This

Summary:

Ichigo looked at the camera, thumbs up and a shit-eating grin, "Nothing in life matters!"

Notes:

Chaldea girl's uniform sizes were all too small for Ichigo so she wore the boy's uniform, even the combat suit. Being 168 cm, Ichigo was taller than Ophelia, and the latter uniform was tailored, so it doesn't count.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Renji felt quite relieved that he actually woke up in the Fourth Division's cell instead of Seireitei's sewer, he never thought he missed the smell of disinfectant. Truly, hygiene is a luxury. This is the cleanest cell he is ever been in.

Okay, that way of thought made him sound as if he was often thrown into various Division's cells.

His body are bandaged; let out a pained groan and felt some of his joints pop merely by it. He curses his stupidity, who would have thought that Byakuya pulls the same trick in creating a dome of petal blades to shield himself from Hikoutsu Taihou? The man is a cheat!

Never mind, he knew he was going to lose anyway.

But did Rukia make it to the secret hideout? Is she safe? 

What about Ichigo? Is she alive? She was insane enough to fight Captain Zaraki and then spend no time in recovery to fight Captain Kyouraku. That girl is mad as hell to fight two captains in a day! 

Renji grimaced. Despite all of the wounds having been patched up, they are all fresh from the recent battle. He found his wrist cuffed to the bed. He is not shocked, in the eyes of Soul Society, he is a criminal now for helping the intruders.

He sighed. The thing I do for Rukia.

 

Crunch, crunch, crunch.

 

Renji heard someone eating near him. He leered toward the metal bars of his cell to see Ikkaku munching on an apple in a reclining position while Yumichika is beside him sitting in seiza while drinking tea.

"So, Bankai huh," Ikkaku took a big bite of his apple, "You show off."

Renji huffed, not in the mood to say anything to his seniors. He considered Ikkaku and Yumichika as his seniors because they were his mentors, especially Ikkaku, he specifically requested him to teach him swordsmanship.

"Captain Ukitake got hold of Rukia and two of the Ryoka, with the bridge to Senzaikyuu being destroyed, she's temporarily being held at the cell of the First Division," Ikkaku added, the tone he used is plain as day.

"What?!" Renji abruptly woke up and cursed, hopefully, he did not pull any stitches, "How did Captain Ukitake-"

"Captain Ukitake is one of the oldest captains in Soul Society, you think he didn't know how to navigate the sewer system? Two Ryoka and a scrawny medic won't stand a chance against him." 

Renji noticed Ikkaku did not mention Yoruichi, the black cat. Instead, his old mentor thought that Hanatarou was with the group escorting Rukia in the sewer system; Hanatarou was not with them he was with Ichigo, being a decoy for Rukia.

"What about a black cat? They didn't mention anything about a cat in the vicinity?"

Did Yoruichi sell them off? Ganju and the brutish girl... Uh, what was her name? Oh right, Tatsuki! What happened to them?!

"I didn't hear anything about a black cat, they didn't get Ichigo though, I heard she was fighting Captain Kyouraku and managed to destroy his Zanpakutou's Shikai form. Man, I wish I could see it," Ikkaku finished his apple.

"Ichigo's alive?" 

"Have to, no news of Captain Kyouraku taking any prisoner," The edge of Yumichika's lips lifted, "I'm starting to think that girl is hard to kill." 

Oh, thank goodness the crazy carrot top is alive. After all, Renji and Ichigo promised that they will never stop until Rukia is saved.

"I'm going to get out of this place. Ikkaku-san, Yumichika-san, please help me open this cell!" Renji plops down from his bed and starts trying to yank the cuff on his hand.

"We can't," Yumichika took a sip of his tea.

"Why not?" Renji stressed.

"Abarai-kun, I advise you to stop what you're doing or I will exchange your bed use into a strap bed."

 

Renji almost forgot who is the captain of the division he currently being held at. The most feared woman in the Fourth Division, Captain Retsu Unohana.

Everyone stilled with her arrival, even Ikkaku fixed his sitting position into a respectable one.

 

Renji can feel his sweat go cold at the serene smile the woman gave to him, "Of course, Captain Unohana... forgive me."

He noticed that Captain Unohana did not come alone, behind her are Hanatarou, and... Captain Kyouraku?

"Hello Renji-kun, mind if we have a chat?" Kyouraku waved his hand leisurely with his left hand. His left sleeve was not put on as bandages covered most of the right part of his body, and the right hand was put in a sling, "Third-Seat Madarame, Fifth-Seat Ayasegawa, you can join if you want. Assuming that Ichigo Kurosaki left quite an impression on you two because she sure is for me."

All the people Kyouraku mentioned share the same confused expression.

"A chat, Captain Kyouraku?" Renji blinked. His injury...Ichigo did that to him?!

"Hmm, what can I say... Don't you think all of this execution business sounded a bit fishy to you?"

 

 


 

Yoruichi is sitting solemnly in the hideout and contemplating. She does not remember when was the last time she experienced a sliver of fear until she saw the rage inside Ichigo's yellow-Hollow eyes. Her shirt collar was grabbed, and the wounds on Ichigo's body healed so fast that it is almost making Yoruichi think the sleeping drug missed its effectiveness to put the teen out of commission.

After knocking Ichigo knocked out, she slung her on her shoulder and fled as fast as they can from Kyouraku. She did notice Katen Kyōkotsu being broken. Did she ever see Kyouraku's Zanpakutou ever in pieces before? Not in her entire lifetime.

Ichigo is terrifying as fuck for being able to accomplish that!

The draconic-looking Hollow mask that Kisuke told about did not form thankfully but she also does not know what it means for it not to show. Is Ichigo's Hollow power unwilling to reveal or, considering the theory she and Kisuke come up with about Ichigo having a mentor, perhaps she can control it already?

Yoruichi watches from afar the sleeping figure of Ichigo surrounded by her friends, she hopes the kid wakes up soon so the Bankai training can start.

 

"Right under the Soukyoku, how convenient. "

 

Speaking of which, the awaited guest arrived.

 

"Captain Ukitake, welcome." Yoruichi held her hand up to the Karakura Gang, who was alerted by the arrival of the captain, reassuring them that the man means no harm, "You came alone?"

"Of course, though it seems I came too early. Is she still unconscious?" 

"No, I've been awake since you arrived on the doorstep of this place," Ichigo suddenly woke up from her sleeping position making her friends jolt in surprise, "Yoruichi-san, Captain-san, you both have some explaining to do."

 

It did not take long for all of them to sit down and gather around in a circle in the secret hideout that Ichigo guessed was built by Urahara since the place is similar to the shopkeeper's underground training room. She currently thinning a log of wood with a knife she borrowed from Yoruichi, trust an assassin to always bring a knife, and waited for the adults to start a conversation as they stared at her weirdly.

They have been doing that since she did get out for a short time to chop a tree, then cut them into pieces, and start doing carpentry out of nowhere.

Were her actions that random?

 

"May I know what are you doing?" Ukitake asked.

"It's something to dissipate my anger..." Ichigo felt what she was doing starting to get rude and starts to put her stuff away, "You know what, I can continue this later-" 

"Oh no no, please you can do whatever you want, they say one should not interfere when someone is trying to set their anger away!" The man beamed friendly.

Ichigo is pretty sure no one ever said such a thing. She lifts her head to observe the captain's appearance; long white hair but the eyebrows are still black, which means the white hair was not from birth. He is pale to that of a sick person yet his body is not exactly frail.

 

Hold on, this description of Soul Reaper...she heard from someone before but who? ... From a Servant.

Which Servant though?

 

"I'm sorry, I don't mean to be read but may I ask, who are you?" Orihime thankfully tries to set them back to the correct topic.

"Ah right, where was I?" Ukitake cleared his throat, "My name is Juushiro Ukitake, Captain of the Thirteenth Division. You tried to save a member of my division, Rukia Kuchiki, and with that, you have my utmost gratitude. Your friends Tatsuki Arisawa and Ganju Shiba are safe at my division's quarter, I can assure you that they're safe."

Oh, this guy is an ally. Ichigo stopped carving the piece of wood she hold and throw the resident cat-woman a bland look, "Yoruichi-san you should have told me that my plan won't work." 

"How is this my fault?! I don't even know if they will be there, besides your plan sucks!" Yoruichi chastised.

Ichigo rolled her eyes, "Suck and yet we've done it anyway. You're too busy hiding the fact that you're actually a person that you don't have time to criticize anything I do." 

She ignored the slight bristle Yoruichi send to her.

"Eh, Ichigo-kun since when do you know Yoruichi-san is not a cat?" Orihime asked.

"From the start. Do you guys actually think she's a magical cat or something?"

Chad started, "Well..."

Uryuu followed, "Yeah..."

Really, Ishida? You too?!

 

The one thing Ichigo did not mention to her friends was not only that she knew Yoruichi is not an actual cat, is that she knew she was a woman from the start.

 

"Please, this is not Sailor Moon. If we live in the world of Sailor Moon that would be a better place," Ichigo sighed absently, "I'm sorry Ukitake-san, don't mind our childish banter. How did you know that we will be relying on the sewer system?"

"If Yamada-kun's captain did not advise me to look into the sewer system, I wouldn't. Just like you said, your plan was ruined when Kyouraku and I were there. Originally I was going to the Senzaikyuu to stop Byakuya. Imagine my surprise when I found the bridge is gone, the Head Captain is going to be mad about the damage," Ukitake lamented wistfully, "Captain Zaraki is going to get scolded."

Ichigo's conspicuously twitched. Whether Kenpachi is there or not, her original plan was indeed to blow up the bridge, with Ganju's personally handcrafted bomb no less. Better not tell Ukitake the atrocities she meant to commit. 

Sorry for this Kenpachi, I'll leave this to you to blame.

"Then I crossed paths with Yoruichi and she had no choice but to make it look like I captured Rukia and the other Ryoka, although to avoid suspicion Rukia had to be held elsewhere. She's transferred to the First Division's cell," Ukitake coughed once into his fist, "And I advise you not to barge into the First Division, it is the most secured place in Seireitei because of the sheer highly trained Soul Reaper."

"Okay, we won't, we promise," Ichigo smiled wryly before her expression turned serious, "Tell me, Ukitake-san, what's your view of Rukia's action for giving her power to me, do you think she deserves an execution?" 

"Actually... Captain Unohana, Kyouraku, and I appealed to the Head Captain about the harsh punishment but there's nothing we can do as that sentence came down from Central 46. While the act of transferring Soul Reaper power to humans is illegal, the case was rare and usually, the portion that was given was small, so the Soul Reaper who did it recovered their power very fast."

"Was one of the reasons for the execution because Kuchiki-san gave a huge portion?" Uryuu questioned.

"Yes, it does. I did meet Rukia after she came back from the World of the Living, and I interrogated her briefly; she said that she only meant to give a small portion. I assure you Ichigo Kurosaki-san that Rukia didn't blame for any of it."

Ichigo cocked her head to the side. But aren't you curious why my body took a huge portion of her Reiryoku? You do didn't you Juushiro Ukitake, you wonder why there is a sleeping dragon in a seemingly small city in the Human World?

"... Ukitake-san, I'm going to ask you a series of questions. You can stop me if it's impudent. Now, what is exactly the requirement for a Soul Reaper to be stationed in the World of the Living?"

"Rukia had done several missions, but this was the first time she did it alone. I hand the assignment because I thought it will be a good experience for her. Karakura Town falls under my division jurisdiction. However, it's a Jūreichi, the point in the Human World that possesses the greatest concentration of spiritual beings. I choose her because she is one of the members of my division that have their Zanpakutou reached a Shikai state."

"Having a Shikai is a requirement to be deployed to the Human World?"

"Yes, sending who doesn't unlock it yet is evidently disastrous in the past event."

Karakura Town got a brand that should be a high priority and yet they only send one officer? Weird.

"When I was gallivanting around in substitute for Rukia, it's like four times a week I encounter a Hollow. Sometimes, Rukia's Denreishinki caught up late with the announcement of the incoming Hollow. Is this situation normal?"

Ukitake blinked, "No, that's not normal. We have a preliminary report about Hollow activity from the Research Division that we must read before deploying. If it's dire, we'll send more than one Soul Reaper to handle it."

"Ishida, was Karakura Town that often razed by Hollow? Not counting the incident with the Hollow bait of course."

"Karakura's ground itself is spiritual but no, not that often, in fact, I can't remember the last time the city was crowded with Hollow," Uryuu widened his eyes in realization, "The Hollow activities suddenly spiked."

"Yet all of this happened when Rukia was deployed. It's clear that it's a setup," Someone had been sending Hollow to Karakura Town for shit and giggle, "When you used the Hollow bait, on the same day when Chad, Orihime, and Tatsuki were attacked by Hollows and they're by all means abnormal. The first time Rukia and I met, we were fighting a Hollow that can elongate its neck."

"Hollows that strong won't roam around humans unless there's something that strong enough to satisfy their hunger. Constant leaking spiritual energy for example but we never receive any report of such from Karakura," Ukitake supplied. He taps his chin with his hand, "You're right, that is unusual."

Constant leaking of spiritual energies? That sounds like me a long time ago. Except Ichigo has been a citizen of Karakura Town since birth, if she had never been to Chaldea, no one would point out her being a walking mead barrel with a hole. That aside, what if she had never been involved with Chaldea, would she be found out by Soul Society?

"Yoruichi-san, I'm going to ask you this and you must answer me truthfully. Has our benefactor been hiding my trace of spiritual energies?"

Yoruichi widened her eyes in realization, knowing what she actually meant: Has Kisuke Urahara been hiding Ichigo's trace of spiritual energies? 

"... No. He made a promise not to involve himself with your family."

Promise not to involve himself until Goat-Face said 'go ahead' apparently. Ichigo wanted to scoff, turning to Ukitake for his full attention, "Ukitake-san, there's something... Well, someone, that is strong enough to satisfy Hollow's hunger in case they get eaten in Karakura Town."

"There is? Who?"

"Me."

 

In an instant, everyone threw Ichigo at various levels of flabbergastation. Most notably Yoruichi who looked like wanted to stitch her mouth shut and Ukitake who cannot believe what he heard. Her friends are pretty normal, probably shocked by the fact that she admits to something like this.

But the puzzle fits. With her parentage, it is not a surprise she will be targeted. The sickening fact in all of this that the person who had been covering her existence is might be the perpetrator of Rukia's execution.

This person also had known her since the day of her birth. This Aizen person... Ugh, creepy.

The reason why it is not Uryuu was that he came from a long line of Quincy and they tend to train their Heirs young, they have no time to deal with children running amok with their wild Reiatsu.

 

Well now, isn't this whole damn charade beginning to feel personal?

 

"I think I was supposed to be the bait for the Hollow that Rukia and I fought, she was meant to be overpowered and pulled the decision to transfer her power to me. None of these events are mere coincidence."

"How? How is it has to be y-" Ukitake did not get to finish his sentence as he was struck by a strong barrage of coughs.

"Are you alright, sir?" Orihime being a healer went to him first.

"Cough-- I'm fine, don't worry. I had this disease since a long time ago, I'm afraid is incurable."

 

Now Ichigo remembers Ushiwakamaru's story about a Soul Reaper she approached in concern because he keeps coughing. That Soul Reaper is Ukitake. Huh, small world. Wait a minute, Ushiwakamaru was alive eight hundred years ago, this man had been coughing for that long? Perhaps even longer.

 

"Ukitake, I think you should go back. Your Third Seats will be worried if they found out that their captain has been missing for a long time." 

Ichigo glanced at Yoruichi cooly. Couldn't think of a better time to send him away, are you?

Ukitake knew he had no choice. After all, his two Third Seats are a pair of riots "Hold on, I still want to know, why is it have to be you?" 

"I don't know. I don't have all the answers too. You should really go back, Ukitake-san. Let's talk again at another time. Also, I'm sorry for being impolite, cutting wood in front of you, and not telling our names," Ichigo bowed in apology.

"The Ryoka's names are famous in Soul Society right now, especially you Miss Ichigo Kurosaki," Ukitake offered his hand for a handshake, "I'm looking forward to talking to you again."

"Please, just call me Ichigo," Ichigo accepted the hand and silently cast the Structural Analysis spell that was developed for medical purposes. Someone should've not lived that long with a disease like this- Wait a minute... WHERE IS HIS LUNG?! IT'S NOT THERE!

"Is something wrong, Ichigo-san?" Ukitake asked in concern when Ichigo seemed to daze in front of him.

"Huh? Oh! I'm sorry, it's nothing. Please be safe when you're going back, mind your body and health!" She said almost too hurriedly.

 

"Are you okay, Ichigo?" Chad tapped his best friend's shoulder.

"No!" Ichigo said as grabbing another piece of wood to work on. OH MY GOD! WHAT THE FUCK?! HIS LUNG IS MISSING!

"At least you're honest."

 

Youichi escorted Ukitake out of the hideout but they stopped by the entrance to have a conversation.

Away from where the children cannot hear them.

"From what Rukia told me, I thought she would be more like Kaien. Now I know who she resembles, don't you think so Yoruichi? Even Kaien looked up to someone once in his life. Ah well, it's useless to dwell in the past, besides, she's long passed." Ukitake smiled rather negatively, "Anyway, Yoruichi, has anyone caught your suspicion?"

"It's not a suspicion, it has been always Aizen. I brought Ichigo and Renji along to scout his lieutenant, only Ichigo who saw no corpse on the wall the day he faked his death," Yoruichi leaned against a wall, "We were wrong about Kyōka Suigetsu ability all this time. It's hypnosis, for a hundred years, Kisuke and I had been cracking our brains. Unfortunately, we still don't know how extensive this hypnosis ability is."

"For a captain who had lived for several hundred years, we're completely useless in preventing tragedies," Ukitake rubbed his head ass feeling a headache coming, "She...has the eyes of an old soldier, Yoruichi. That's not because of you and Urahara right?"

"Believe me, Ichigo is a mystery on its own."

"... Don't rely upon her continuously."

Yoruichi closed her eyes in resignation, "... We already sinning anyway."

Ukitake sighed, he cannot refute that. He then reminded me of something that he was going to ask Ichigo before his disease distract his mind.

"What does she mean by the Hollow Ichigo and Rukia fought that was meant to overpower Rukia? Wasn't that before Rukia transfer her power to her? I thought she was a normal human."

"Ah that...I wasn't there myself so I don't quite understand it when Kisuke told me that Ichigo was able to use ice Kidō and it wasn't a traditional Soul Reaper Kidō."

"I see..."

 

After Ukitake left, Yoruichi went back inside the hideout and saw the group preparing dinner with the stolen ration without Ichigo who was alone in a corner, hiding between a cluster of jutted-up stones, holding what is look like to be an unfinished wooden bow.

Around her were assorted gemstones and ores; papers laid open, revealing runes and thaumaturgical circles drawn on them. Yoruichi had known of these people who study in such art, they called themselves Magus, and it looks like Ichigo is one of them.

"It's rude to stare," Ichigo said while not looking up from her work, "This is no Magus Workshop, Yoruichi-san, you can get closer. I suppose you knew what a Magus and their habits are since you're older than you look. You have all the time in the world to figure out all kinds of humans on Earth."

"Was recognizing that I'm not a cat part of your Magus training?" Yoruichi asked with caution, suspicion laced her being. 

When she reverted her form in front of the Gang, she was naked, and all of them reflectively covered their eyes in embarrassment; she was teasing them.

Ichigo is the only one who did not look surprised, not rattled even for a bit. She simply went back to sleep to aid her recovery.

"Oh no, it's just that I have firsthand experience to differentiate which one is a magical beast and a changeling. Don't worry, magecraft is something that I pick along the way, I don't even have the right to be called a Magus; Spellcaster if you may. If the Association knew about my existence I would've been branded as a Heretic," Ichigo was not worried though, there was a reason why Merlin kept projecting her into Avalon, not only to accompany him, was to misdirect any foreign detection spell.

She wondered if there have been a case of Enforcer being deployed to Karakura Town. 

"Then you did have a teacher?" Yoruichi's suspicion of Ichigo was mentored by someone who seemingly never set foot in Karakura. If they did come to the small town, Kisuke must have known about their presence because the town is his playground, any strong foreign presence should have been detected.

"Did? My teacher's alive, you know," Ichigo finished polishing the bow. Pulled out a string that who knows how she create and attached it to the newly-made weapon, "Should the occasion arise to discuss it, we can chat over some tea with Urahara-san when we got back, knowing his personality it seems the man knows more about me than you."

"... Ichigo...about you outing yourself in front of Ukitake before-"

"What about it? You know it's true." Ichigo got up and dusted off her clothes, "Just so you know, I'm not going to apologize."

 

Ichigo walked toward Uryu who is in cajole with Chad trying 

From afar, Yoruichi watches as Ichigo taps Uryuu's shoulder, he is in cajole with Chad to stop Orihime to stop putting anything strange into the stew, and she hands him the bow as she sat down beside him. The Quincy is obviously confused but Ichigo did not say anything and accepted the bowl of food that was given to her by Orihime, they relatively ate their dinner silently. 

Yoruichi pinched the bridge of her nose, cursing as she felt her stress starting to bother her.

 


 

Ukitake sat on the porch of his office that night, contemplating everything that is happened in the past few days.

Is it truly Aizen?

The presumed dead captain of the Fifth Division is what everyone dreams to be, perfect in the eyes of his subordinates, and an idol to the Shino'ō Academy students. Unlike him who is sick and most of the time unable to do his duty therefore a lacking figure of inspiration within Soul Society.

Of course, each captain of the Gotei 13 has their faults, whether it is their distant personality or their distasteful background but Sousuke Aizen being a traitor is very unlikely.

Until now...

 

"Juushiro, it's not like you to be out here alone on this cold night."

Ukitake turned to the source of the voice, Shunsui Kyouraku. His old friend is always with his laidback character, a hand resting on the hem of his kimono while the other is holding a bottle of sake. Kyouraku playfully tilts his head and lifts the liquor as a sign to offer a drink together.

"Sorry, it's just there's a lot on my mind."

"Tell me about it," Kyouraku sat down, took out two cups from his sleeve, pour a drink, "Trouble at the valley of lilies, Abarai-kun told me about it, seems like we get the same information."

"How can we be so blind, Shunsui?"

"Maybe that's the point, we wanted to be blind."

 

Kyouraku raised a good point.

 

With the death of Ukitake'ss lieutenant fifteen years ago, Kaien Shiba, there were many occasions when Ukitake wanted to shut his eyes and let the guilt swirl in his heart.

 

"Did you met Ichigo Kurosaki? I thought someone rolled from their grave, though her features are much softer," Kyouraku downed a shot of sake.

"If it's Hiroko your memories never wrong," Ukitake snorted in amusement, which went in the next second, "She was Aizen's patron."

Kyouraku is a bit skeptical, "Juushirou, don't go there..."

"Think about it! Hiroko's cause of death is uncertain, her youngest brother had been missing for twenty years, then her nephew died. She took that boy in and that's how he shows his gratitude, by killing her? If it's true then I failed her by letting her nephew and his wife died!" Ukitake is then struck by the effect of his illness, coughing harshly while Kyouraku steadies him, "All of these  are connected, even that incident a hundred years ago-"

"Stop. I know you're angry, we're all angry. But you know how the Central works, even if we pile all the evidence they'll deny it like a bunch of dunderheads they are," Kyouraku gripped his friend's shoulder before letting go, "Let's think for the present. Rukia-chan was sentenced to be executed, a bunch of Ryoka came in from the World of The Living, fighting everyone in their way, then Aizen somehow died. From what I see, he is using the situation to confuse the Gotei, not to mention the implication of making Ryoka the highest suspect for his murder. Abarai-kun was approached by Aizen the day the Ryoka invaded, his exact question was 'don't you think this whole execution is unfair?' then listed all the reasons; all of Rukia's charges are not serious crimes, the postponement of the execution day, it was twenty-five days instead of the usual thirty-five. He was baiting Abarai-kun to join his cause."

"It sounded like he's trying to gain something from this execution..."

But what exactly is that? 

Ukitake and Kyouraku suddenly heard a loud thump; someone writhing in pain behind the sliding door, a sound of a young woman chastising and turning into a hushed session of arguing. Ukitake almost thought it was his two Third Seat, except he currently holds custody of two Ryoka, extremely curious two Ryoka. One is Kaien's younger brother and the other is a spunky human girl named Tatsuki Arisawa.

"We know you two are listening from the start, you might as well join in if you like," Kyouraku laughed. The sliding door opened slightly, wide enough for Ganju and Tatsuki to peek, "Want some drink?"

"What the Hell you old man, we're underage!" Tatsuki chortled.

"You're underage, I'm not," Ganju drawled, his eyes landed on Ukitake, "Ukitake-san, you were there when my brother died right? Is it true that he was killed by a Hollow?"

"Hmm, didn't your family tell you about it...? Ah, I see...you were too young at that time. Tell me Ganju-kun, when was the last time you saw your grandmother?" Ukitake once again sighed when Ganju shook his head in dismissal.

Since when family therapy became his job.

 

 


 

The next day, Yoruichi took out a special device created by Urahara called Tenshintai. Originally an artifact belonging to the Omnitsukidou, it is a vaguely Human-shaped, man-sized doll that forcibly materializes the spirit of a Zanpakutou into the Human World when stabbed by the Zanpakutou. In doing so, it facilitates the user in subjugating the spirit and attaining the Bankai of their Zanpakutou. Instead of falling into the usual soulscape, now Ichigo needs to drag her weapon's spirit into reality.

The normal path of achieving Bankai takes more or less ten years; first, the Soul Reaper must be able to materialize their Zanpakutou spirit; second, which takes the longest, master them. Cheating is the only way to achieve power for Ichigo since they are running out of time and the execution date is getting closer.

 

Ichigo blinked a few times when Yoruichi explained it to her. So let me get this straight; Soul Society owned a device that was able to do instant Gradation Air magecraft? How convenience. Since Fray is not exactly a physical weapon and I'm in no condition to be able to materialize him yet.

 

"A Bankai, hu. Technically we got this covered, but utilizing it at full power it's dangerous right now," Fray casually saunters in the middle of Yoruichi's explanation, using Ichigo's shoulder to lean on.

I know. Ichigo is half-listening to those who speak on the side of reality. We can only humor these Soul Society dwellers by using the downgraded version.

"Zanpakutou spirits are reflections of a Soul Reaper's power and soul they exist when they have been given the sword, right? We can use use 'Zangetsu' as a foundation to construct the Bankai."

Ichigo tried her best to control her expression, a bead of sweat running down her forehead as a result. I feel like we're turning into one of the greatest mysteries of the World... Okay, if that is what it takes but wouldn't they notice?

"Don't you remember? As much as the Monk can name everything in this place, he doesn't know everything. Then again even if he does notice... Who gives a shit.

Riiiiggghhht. Ichigo pinched the bridge of her nose and mutters to herself, "What kind of metaphorical bullshit I was born into?"

"Ichigo?" Yoruichi caught on.

"Sorry, I was arguing with... Zangetsu."

"You were arguing with your Zanpakutou spirit?" Yoruichi asked. She did, however, spot the hesitation when Ichigo uttered her Zanpakutou name, "You can communicate with them outside Jinzen already?"

"Yeah, quite a nosy prick."

"You know that means you insulting yourself as a nosy prick too.

That's what we are. "Anyway, insert the sword into the doll right?" Ichigo unsheaths her sword.

 Yoruichi nodded, "You only have three days, more than that it'll be dangerous, and this is your only chance."

 

The guy who made the Tenshintai must be trying to pass their Bankai test because they procrastinate a lot.

Ichigo politely kept her inner turmoil to herself and do what she have to do. As she stabbed the Tenshintai, the doll shape-shifted into the familiar templar knight that she knew; his pair of falcon-like yellow eyes visible through his veiled headgear, and Zangetsu's long sword form in his hand.

"Hey," Fray saluted.

"Hey yourself," Ichigo playfully scoffed, "What's your suggestion then?"

"If you may escort Ichigo's friend into a safe zone," Fray said to Yoruichi, who nodded in confirmation.

 

After the coast is clear Fray snapped his fingers, a Bounded Field is created, and thousand of projected weapons were scattered around it, "I thought that playing a game which is the real Zanpakuto is dumb," Fray made a discreet motion to tell Ichigo that it was Zangetsu's idea if the latter was angry about it, Fray pretends he did not hear it, "I improvise it a little bit. The real sword is in my hand, so Ichigo..."

 

Like a knight taunting in battle, Zangetsu is brandished in the face of their adversaries.

 

"Do your best to claim it!"

 

Notes:

Ichigo cheated her way into making a bow by using magecraft. I think it's kinda funny that stuff just 'exists/created' when crafting in FFXIV (or any MMO in general), so yeah this is how crafting is canon in my story.

Hiroko Shiba (志波 弘, Shiba Hiroko) is how I'm going to build Aizen's background. The name is not that complicated, the kanji 弘 means broad, vast, or wide, one of its most interesting interpretations was 'spreading Buddhist teachings' which fits Bleach's world that corresponds to Buddhist cosmology. The kanji 子 simply means 'child' and is very common. The name is inspired by a 60's Japanese model Hiroko Matsumoto who died in Paris after a long period in the hospital. The cause of her death remains uncertain.

What's going on with Ichigo? This is kinda a spoiler for the FFXIV game, but oh well. Do you know the 'soul shard' thing in the game? If you don't, it's okay, enjoy Shadowbringer guys!

Chapter 25: Swelling Over Long

Summary:

You fight in a war you do not understand—a pawn of liars and schemers. And they are no less ignorant than you! Following the creed of their fathers without question, never thinking to ask why. Trapped in a delusion of their own creation and blind to the truth.

Notes:

Merlin: www dot sexiest man of the year slash best caster slash best servant slash perfect man slash catch of a catch dot com, that’s me!
Ichigo: You absolute heathen...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Yoruichi is very confused. First, Ichigo was already able to talk with her Zanpakutou spirit outside Jinzen, and the way her body language tell said spirit seemed to materialize around her but lay in another layer of reality, therefore, no one could see them; Two, the Zanpaktou spirit turns out to be a Man?!

Several people she knew had a female spirit for their Zanpakutou; Urahara and Kyouraku for example, this was considered a rarity itself in Soul Society. A female Soul Reaper having a male Zanpakutou spirit, however, is almost unheard of.

Also, it does not seem that Ichigo is learning anything from her Zanpakutou spirit, the wielder and the spirit move completely in synch, like they are dancing, while at the same time trying to best each other. They show a compilation of honed skills that took years and years to master.

There is nothing to be taught to each other; they already knew what to do to achieve their goal, to achieve Bankai.

 

Kisuke was right when he said that Yoruichi should have witnessed it herself, it was truly abnormal.

 

"You know when they say that it takes two to tango," Fray spins his sword to deflect a barrage of flying arrows.

"Fights are rarely the fault of one alone," Ichigo ditched the bow and grab a stray broadsword.

 

The Master and the Spirit's respective weapons clashed.

 

"Okay, but seriously though, this is going to be complicated," Fray whispered to Ichigo, "We are using 'Zangetsu' as a foundation to manifest a Bankai, and Bankai is the second and final evolved stage of the Zanpakutou. It is said to be an expression of a Soul Reapers's truest self in a display of power. How are going to break our current limitations so we can achieve it when you literally need re-maturing?"

"Then why are you telling me to claim the sword?"

"Uuuuh, a spur of the moment?" Fray said teasingly.

Ichigo rolled her eyes skywards as the sword she hold broke again. Inside this Bounded Field, Fray had become the Geis, when he said to claim the sword, then Ichigo has to do it. That is why none of the projected weapons that manifest inside the Bounded field hold their integrity long enough because they are not real.

"We're building a foundation, none of this is a spur of the moment," She promptly grabbed a spear that was shaped like Durindana minus the golden-colored blade and throw it full-strength at Fray, "Thauturgiacal system remember, it's back to the basic. We have to write the code."

Fray blocked the spear using the flat of Zangetsu's blade and got pushed away for a few feet. The Durindana look-alike shattered soon after, he smirked and twirled Zangetsu as it turned into a spear, charging at his master.

"No, that's coding! Phenomena not of this universe are impossible to reproduce, that's why in order to create something!"

Ichigo prepared herself with Jacob's Limb stance, ready to do weaponless combat to defend herself.

"Either another object must be given as a price, or an existing object is modified!"

 

Both clashed with each other respectively.

 

At this point, Ichigo and her Zanpakutou are having fun. Yoruichi had no idea what are those two shouting at and she is at her limit tending the Bankai training. With that, she cut her link between her Reiatsu and the doll she powered with.

 

Ichigo is dumbfounded when Fray tried to lunge at her only to turn into the Tenshintai doll as it ceremoniously thunked her in the face.

"Grrkh!"

"RUDE!" Said Fray's irate screaming as he is back to Ichigo's soulscape, "Let me back out there so I can strangle that cat!"

 

The master wisely ignore them as nursed the center of her face, it does not look like it but that doll felt like it was made of stone.

 

"Day one is over Ichigo, take some rest," Yoruichi stretched her body.

"Can you give me heads up when you cancel the doll?" Ichigo growled.

"And where's the fun in that?"

 


 

Renji lies idle on his bed and wonders what Ichigo doing at this hour. Is she giving up or planning her way to rescue Rukia again? If so, he should be with her and not lying on a bed. Though if he tries to escape the Fourth Division now, Captain Unohana will be the one that handles the execution personally. Maybe he should do it anyway since he is adamant about Rukia who is about to be executed based on a nasty conspiracy!

He was about to get up when he heard Hanatarou's footsteps. Is it dinnertime already? Sigh, there goes my chance.

He feels like a slacker.

After several decades he works his ass up to be a lieutenant and now this is what becomes. What a life.

Except he did not hear her food tray being slid in, he heard...the cell gate being opened?

"Abarai-san, let's go. You need to get out of this place discreetly," Hanatarou said in a low voice as he unclasp Renji's handcuff.

"What? Hanatarou what are you doing?" 

"No time to explain, quickly!"

 

Renji thought Hanatarou defied his captain in freeing him; fortunately, he is not. Captain Unohana was the one who ordered him to do so!

Wait, what's going on?

In the dead of night, standing beside the Fourth Division's corridor with many windows is Captain Unohana and a figure wearing a black kimono; head covered with a cloak that again is colored in black, and in their hands are extra of the said cloak.

"Thank you, for doing this Retsu," It was a woman's voice and it sounded very old.

"I'm glad to be able to help." Captain Unohana gave the black cloak to Renji, "Abarai-kun, cover yourself and follow this woman. Do not question anything until you reach your destination. Captain Kyouraku and Captain Ukitake will be there too." 

It is obvious that is Renji confused but he wisely chooses not to ask questions and don the cloak.

The unknown woman bowed to Captain Unohana before she is off with Renji in tow.

 

One thing Renji noted about the unknown woman as he follows her is that she knows how to use Shunpo. Is she a retired Soul Reaper or something? Like the former lieutenant, Ginjirō Shirogane who opened a sunglass store?

The woman led him to a very complicated yet unknown underground tunnel that he had no idea existed in Seireitei. This is so much different than the sewer as the tunnel had a lot of seemingly dead ends which opened at the woman's command when they got closer. To get out of the tunnel, they had to climb out of a well with a rope attached to the upper wall of the well, then there is a hedge maze to be navigated before they arrived at Soul Society residential district.

And they did not stop there, they keep running up to the upper-class district until they reach the Kuchiki estate. What? Why?! Why go to the Kuchiki estate?

 

Entering the backdoor for extra clandestine, Renji stared at the woman suspiciously. A member of the Kuchiki Clan helping him escape his supposed confinement? Someone dares enough to defy Byakuya inside the family?

 

"Fyuuh, it's been a while since I run around like that."

The woman took off her cloak cover revealing an old woman, with wrinkles all around, though her slate grey eyes still shone brightly as if keeping youthful energy. Her posture is straight with aristocratic pride. Her long evenly cut white hair is tied with a red band and a pinned with single Kenseikan. She looks simple and regal at the same time.

She knocked on the backdoor discretely, as it was opened she beckons Renji to get inside. They are greeted by a servant who bowed and proceed to say...

 

"Welcome back, Kasuga-sama."

 

Renji never heard of someone named Kasuga in the Kuchiki Clan. Well, it is not like Byakuya ever talk about his family openly, it is just that he read every people who ever hold a position in the Sixth Division in the Sixth Division personal library and there was no Kasuga Kuchiki. He knows about Ginrei Kuchiki and Sōjun who is and were respectively Byakuya's grandfather and late father.

 

The servants hold out their hands, ready to accept their cloaks, Kasuga hands over her cloak swiftly while Renji is a bit awkward since he is not used to this type of treatment.

"Is Byakuya home?" Kasuga asked almost hopeful.

"No ma'am," One of the servants shook her head.

"And here I thought he could join us," The noble lady shook her head in disappointment.

 

Like a lost duckling, Renji has no other choice but to follow one of the many masters of the house. He remembered passing one or two Zen gardens which all looked in the same his eyes, turning on too many porches (Why is this house have so many porches? Oh, wait it's not a house, it's a manor!), and finally stopping in front of a shoji door, which again in Renji's eyes, looked the same with all the other shoji doors.

Kasuga slid open the shoji door to reveal Captain Kyouraku, Captain Ukitake, Ganju, and Tatsuki sitting around a long table with tea and wagashi served.

"Hello everyone! We're back!"

 

Renji almost jolted away from Kasuga. Since when a Kuchiki is this spirited?

 

"Renji, you're here. Come sit!" Captain Ukitake tapped the blank space beside him and Ganju.

"Since it's dinner time why don't we fill our stomachs first!" Kasuga clapped twice and a lady servant came in, she ordered her to bring some food, "It's a good thing that today's menu is kabayaki."

"Oh! Is it that special kabayaki?" Kyouraku asked in excitement, "Your kabayaki is the best Kasuga-san! I'll have some sake with it!"

"No drinking today Shunsui," Ukitake elbowed his friend.

"I can give you a bottle of my...special brew later," Kasuga winked.

Kyouraku gasped dramatically, eyes sparkling like a little kid, "You still have those?"

"Of course I do! Who do you think I am?"

 

Kasuga, Kyouraku, and Ukitake chatted happily with a long-time familiarity while the younger generation sit silently. Renji finally understands what it is like to be in a family gathering when he does not want to be there.

 

Renji leaned to Ganju who looked bored, "Who is exactly this woman?"

"My grandmother." 

 

Oh.

...Huh?!

Wait, wait, wait, what?!

 

Renji looked at Ganju upside-down to find any of that Kuchiki features and found none, every inch of his being is built stocky. There is no evidence proving Ganju is related to Byakuya whatsoever... In appearances anyway.

"Ganju resembles my late husband the most. Actually, most of my children are," Kasuga snickered and Renji effectively blushed at being found out, "Except my youngest daughter, she resembles me the most!"

"Kaien is quite lean himself, many said he takes after you Kasuga-san," Ukitake added.

"That boy sure is!"

The shoji door slid open once again with many servants bringing the food.

"Eat up, everyone! Let's continue our talk after we finish."

 

The kabayaki is so good that almost makes Renji forget what he was doing there. He wanted to ask why Kasuga gathered in the Kuchiki estate, definitely not just for a dinner. Who had the idea in the first place for this gathering? Kasuga Captain Kyouraku? Or Captain Ukitake?

Renji does know the two captains were on Rukia's side since they appealed about the execution. What about Kasuga? Maybe she is the only one in the family who wanted Rukia to be rescued so she appealed to Byakuya, the current Clan Head.

And why did she goes to such length fetching Renji personally from the Fourth Division? She is of the nobility, she could have just sent someone else in her stead.

 

It does not take long for dinner to be finished, servants refilled their tea and switched the snacks.

 

Kasuga take a sip of her tea before she started, "First of all, my name is Kasuga Kuchiki, and welcome to the Kuchiki Manor. My dear grandnephew didn't know what I'm doing right now. He doesn't come home that very often lately, so we're safe, for now. Now the reason why I gathered you here is... Well, to talk I guess. A lot of things happened in Seireitei and from what Shunsui and Juushirou said, it seems that there's a high possibility that my grandniece's execution is a ploy by... Sousuke Aizen."

Seeing Kasuga's face turn somber, Renji guessed, "Do you know Sousuke Aizen personally?"

"Not quite, even back then when my oldest daughter, Hiroko, took him in, I don't interact with him often. If there was something wrong with him, can't say I notice..." Kasuga starts to lose her voice the more she goes on, "It's been more than a century since her death and I still can't stop thinking about it. Especially all the deaths that followed after."

Ukitake soothingly caress the old woman on the back, "No one noticed either, not even us. And now we still don't know what exactly is his aim."

"But what does Aizen want out of Rukia's execution? It can't be vengeance, Rukia never interacted with him at all to initiate something vengeful at the man."

"I can assure you, it's not vengeance." 

"Then what?!"

Kasuga, Kyouraku, and Ukitake simultaneously exchanged the same critical glance, then Kasuga scowled deeply in the same deepness of how hard she is thinking right now; Renji thought she looked like someone at that moment, it resembles someone's scowl, though he cannot exactly pinpoint who.

 

"First of all then, Ganju why are you here? I know you're not here for saving someone." Kasuga started with her grandson.

"... You know why I'm here, Obaa-san," Ganju looked his grandmother in the eyes, "Is that why no one ever told me about my brother's death? So I won't hate you?"

Renji remembers the whole exchange back when they broke Rukia out from the Senzaikyuu, Ganju shouting at Rukia about murdering his brother, and then he suddenly stops, like he just realizes the real reason.

"It's our fault too for not telling after you grow up. You're an easily obsessed child so we're a bit worried, the reason why we don't reveal Rukia's name is so you won't hate your own family, but the reason why we don't tell you that a Hollow possessing Kaien was because the matter is more complicated than that," Kasuga sighed mournfully, "Kuukaku and I decided that it's fine for you to hate Soul Reaper even if it's what it takes for us not losing you."

Ganju looked down at the fingers he placed on the table, waiting for a moment until he can find his voice, "... What's the truth then?"

"Why, Ganju, I'm glad you asked! Call it old habit die hard but as a former Soul Reaper from the Second Division-"

Renji almost choked when hearing that, "What?! You were in the Second Division?!"

"Several hundred years ago. Its utilities are completely different back then," Kasuga waved her hand casually at Renji, telling him to relax, "Anyway, I went to investigate it by myself and read the report of the incident, I found it strange for the Hollow disappearing pattern when I check around the scene, everything was clean, I realized it's useless to dwell there and went to the victim's body. Before any autopsy can even begin, I went to check Miyako's body, there was evidence of something had eaten its way out of her body, it was clear that her body was overtaken like a parasite. As for Kaien...you're right Ganju, Rukia did kill him, but you must understand something, we Soul Reapers would rather die rather than have our body be used like a fiddle by a Hollow. Trust me when I say if Kaien had even a sliver of control of his body that day, he would kill himself."

Ganju gritted his teeth, "Is this the pride of a Soul Reaper?"

"No, Ganju-kun, it's a sacrifice. It's the sacrifice we have to take so people like you won't be the next victims. You have to accept that part of your late brother's life, me and Miyako too because it's the path we take. Also, it's Kaien, if it is what it takes to save his comrades, he'll do the deeds willingly," Kasuga sighed tiredly as she crossed her arms, "Sometimes I thought it's way too good of him to be a Soul Reaper since he's way too honorable...But enough lamenting, let's get back to the topic; because of the evidence I found on Miyako and later on, Kaien, I suspected said Hollow is not normal or should I say, someone willingly let loose such a creature on Soul Society. Due to the lack of substantial, therefore it's only speculation."

"... A speculation that Aizen let loose the Hollow? For what purpose?" Ukitake frowned.

"I don't know. Speculation is only speculation, the whydunnit is completely roaming free. That's why we can't tell or convince anyone to follow our belief, especially Byakuya, the position he holds had burdened him enough; between his duty and love, swore on his parents' grave that he won't break any more rules regarding the nobility, not even once he ever thought that his parents would have been proud if he follows his heart..."

 

Kasuga was confused too after some of her children died. She thought she could still live peacefully with her children after her husband's passing, and yet every one of them died or missing. She does not even know why she came back to the Kuchiki house, getting away from the fried perhaps? But then her nephew and his wife died because of illness and all she sees is her children's death all over again, then Kaien and Miyako died too...

Death is a part of life, she knew that. She just wished it would be less sorrowful when her loved ones finally departed from this world.

 

"Enough of that depressing topic, stressing about it now will get us nowhere." Kasuga decided to change the topic, "I wanted to know about my grandniece's soon-to-be rescuer. Tatsuki Arisawa, you are a friend of this Ichigo Kurosaki, tell me about yourself."

Tatsuki did not expect to be asked because she is an outsider.

"Well, I-uh... We mostly wanted to help Ichigo, I mean she was the one who is so keen on rescuing Rukia. Honestly, we are here because of her."

"Oh, are you not a close friend of Rukia?"

"We're friends, classmates, only that. We barely knew each other. Ichigo is the one who interacted with her daily. I think it's a given since Rukia is not what she seems...by being not an actual high school student, that is." 

"Curious. Who helped her with this fake identity as this so-called 'high school student'?"

"There's this shopkeeper named Kisuke Urahara, I'm sure he's the one who's done it. He's the one who made a gate so we can cross into this world. That man is so weird, he wore this striped bucket hat and wore clothes that are usually worn in a bathhouse."

Kasuga burst into laughter, "That's what he wore?! Someone up there is going to be so offended! Oh well, I guess nothing gets past him regarding legalities, the boy is resourceful after all."

"You knew him well, Kasuga-san?" Tatsuki finds it odd how casually the old woman speaks of Urahara.

"Here and there," Kasuga answered vaguely, resting her chin on her hands, "Must be nice being young again, throttling way here and there without weighting the risk of apparent mortality. Especially you Renji-kun? As you know Rukia talks about you a lot, I almost thought she's fallen in love!"

Renji spluttered, face reddening fast, "We're just friends, I swear! I mean we've known each other for so long, I don't have any other reason why I shouldn't save her!"

 

There was, actually, another reason why Renji wanted to save Rukia. If he did not save her, it felt like he will live the rest of his life in regret. Not that he is going to admit that openly to her adoptive family.

 

"Is that so? Hmm, okay then."

"... That's it?"

"Yes, that's it!"

 

Renji really cannot predict this woman at all.

 

"However, the leader of the band, Ichigo Kurosaki is her name, wasn't it? Quite a gossip she created this past few days, beating multiple officers left and right, destroying the Sōkyoku bridgeway, and I believe you got the chance to face her Shunsui, how was it?" Kasuga playfully inquired.

"Well..." Kyouraku rubbed his beard, "She's certainly not normal."

"Not normal, hmm? Looks like I have to meet her, my supposed path of mutiny and her invasive action toward Soul Society is on the same route. That would make us allies!"

"Mutiny? Kasuga-san you've retired for several hundred years," Ukitake sweated.

"I'm batshit old, Juushiro. I can call it whatever I want."

 

 


 

In Japan, it was an old belief when they say if someone drinks water from an Onsen it can instantly cure their disease. Sure it is scientifically proven that hot spring water contains beneficial minerals because of the obvious source of where the water came from, Ichigo is pretty sure none of it can heal an open-cut wound!

Magus would plunge themselves into a bloodbath for owning something like this!

"Druid-Elixir... Panacea...?" Ichigo wondered as letting the water on her palm drip away.

"Ichigo-kun, were you saying something?" Orihime asked.

Ichigo cut off from her stupor. She and Orihime take their turns for a bath after the boys. It is very practical for the training grounds to have a hot spring. No one can say no to taking a nice dip after a long day of fighting.

"Nothing much. Hey, do you think Chad and Ishida making us use the bath last so they can peep at us?"

"SHUT UP KUROSAKI!" Uryuu shouted in retaliation.

"You can hear me, Ishida? I was whispering you know. Can't take a joke is he?" Ichigo smirked.

Orihime giggled, then her expression turned to be a bit somber, "Uhm, Sorry that We lied about Ishida-kun losing his power, I offered to bring it back but he refused-"

"I'm going to stop you right there," Ichigo sternly said, "When you blindly use your power, that's a form of arrogance. Help is appreciated but please, know yourself. You barely understand what your power is capable of. Besides are you asking the wrong question?"

"I-I'm asking the wrong question?"

"How do you think I know about Ishida losing his powers?"

 

Ichigo's right. Despite their initial agreement about keeping secrets about Uryuu's powers being gone after fighting a creepy captain by the name of Mayuri Kurotsuchi, Ichigo was able to know about their Quincy friend's nonexistent power.

And Ichigo could care less about it and gave Uryuu a strong flick on the forehead, telling him that he had to live with it by being sidelined for now.

 

"... Then... How did you know?"

Ichigo shot Orihime a funny look.

"Trade secrets."

It is also a look that Orihime is able to interpret that she has to fight for getting the answer. She cannot help but feel deflated and excused herself from the hot spring, covering herself with a towel as she gets out.

 

Ichigo is indifferent to seeing her friend's retreating form, not even caring about the new presence beside her. She does not greet Yoruichi nor did the cat changeling speaks to her first. They were silent for a long time as if daring each other to start the conversation first.

Is everything has to be competition now?

 

Ichigo clicked her tongue in annoyance, decidedly conversing in a much lower tone so none of her friends can hear it. "So, what's the deal with Aizen?" 

"... I was expecting another type of question, not this," Yoruichi's shoulder sagged, "Aren't you curious about the people that drag you into this conspiracy firsthand?"

"Fine no Aizen, the guy seems to be a sore point. And the part about me being curious or not; Yoruichi-san with all due respect, I understand boundaries, then again why would an assassin reveal their reason?" Ichigo scoffed indifferently when Yoruichi snapped her head so fast at her, "You and Urahara are at least trained in assassination, though he has his quirk. You, however, are what they call grew with tradition. If you ask 'how do you know', I'm afraid the answer might surprise you."

"And the surprise is?"

"That's for me to know and you to find out."

Ichigo instinctively dodged a fist and chuckled.

Yoruichi crossed her arms over her big bust (Ichigo, being unhelpful to herself, mentally added that she had seen a bigger asset than that) in annoyance. Though the fact that Ichigo talks to her as if they are peers is an unsettling experience, it shows how mature her mentalities are to the rest of her friends, and none of them knew of it. 

Call it a bit of a psychotic streak but she could see Ichigo took a certain joy in it.

"Do you know that you're tempting fate?" Yoruichi hissed.

"My, how do you know my favorite pastime~?"

Yoruichi's stomach recoiled at that sentence, it is eerily in the same manner as Kisuke's way of jovial speaking.

"Is it Fate with capital 'F' or just fate?"

"... There's a difference?"

Ichigo's eyes darted to the side for a second before coming back to stare at Yoruichi, "Maybe." She rest her head on her arm as she leaned by the hot spring edge, "But you're right, I'd be lying if I were not curious about the people who throw me into this conspiracy. So at your insistence, Yoruichi-san, kindly indulge me then; tell me about yourself or Kisuke Urahara. No pressure, of course." Not to forget to make her tone extra smug that Gilgamesh himself would be so proud.

I want to hit her. Veins formed on Yoruichi's forehead and she sighed, relenting, "Urahara and I were childhood friends. You see how familiar this place is to the one under his shop, as a kid we used to come every day to play and train, helping each other to get stronger. At some point in our life, I joined the Onmitsukidō while he enrolled in the Academy."

"I see, I see. Next part of your 'at some point in our life', please. Captaincy, I presume? You both are obviously in this position caliber."

What a weird phrasing..."I became a captain much earlier, Urahara was my Third Seat, then I recommended him to become the Captain of the Twelfth Division. He founded the Research and Development Institute."

"Ah, so he was always a weird mad scientist, I wonder if he's secretly a badger or something, having a hobby at creating an underground space," Ichigo chuckled lightly, "How about Tessai-san? He wasn't average a Soul Reaper either."

Average Soul Reaper... Yoruichi crinkled her eyes, "He was the Head of the Kidō Corps, that's the only thing I can tell you, he's a private person."

"Of course! Unlike you and Urahara-san, Tessai-san is a cool guy! Like I said before, I understand boundaries."

Ignoring the jab, Yoruichi takes a deep breath, "Well, there you go, some bits about us. As an exchange, why don't you tell me about yourself?"

Ichigo widens her eyes at the request before smiling calmly, "Fair enough. I suppose I can tell you why I became the way I am, it's all thanks to my lovely teacher; Sgàthach an Eilean Sgitheanach, daughter of Árd-Greimne of Lethra, sister and rival to Aífe, the mythical Scottish warrior woman and martial arts teacher to the legendary Ulster hero Cú Chulainn. I met her in America, my first training was she threw me into a pack of wyverns to see am I worthy to be her student or not. Satisfied?"

"... What...?" Yoruichi is not asking, it is the only word she can utter after hearing the said answer.

Ichigo checked her wrist as if she is wearing a watch, "Huh, would you look at that, it's time for dinner," but she took her chance to lean closely at Yoruichi before hopping out of the hot spring, "Guess what the best part of what I just said... I'm not lying. Ta-ta!"

Leaving Yoruichi alone who is still trying to make sense

 

That was fun, though I shouldn't make a habit out of it...

The only redhead in the group mused while busy combing her hair behind a makeshift dresser that is a tall rock, feeling her crown getting longer she thought it would be nice if she have a hair tie.

As if on cue, Ichigo almost squeaked in surprise when a woman's hand that is not Yoruichi or Orihime hand her a blue ribbon. The hand is clear, with unblemished skin and long slender fingers; looking up, she sees a stone-cold beauty, with silky long black hair in a princess cut, and eyes color unknown for she always closed them. The woman is wearing an intricate variation of black kimono, her feet hidden by the long fabric, her other hand is covered fingerless glove, and a white shawl slung around her elbows.

Wanting the ribbon to be taken, the woman did a curtsy and Ichigo cannot refuse the gift since she was being polite.

"T-Thank you, uh, do Yoruichi know who you are?"

The woman smiled mysteriously but did not say anything.

"Kurosaki where are you? The food is going to get cold!" Uryuu shouted.

"In a minute!" Ichigo was going to excuse herself only to find the woman gone, a trail of blue light sparkling away. Feeling mistrustful, she checked the ribbon if it had a tracking spell or anything suspicious.

Nope, just a normal velvet ribbon.

"... I suppose it's safe. Also who the heck was that?"

 


 

The next day before Ichigo continues her Bankai training, she gave Uryuu a quiver full of gemstone that was already shaped into arrows. Heaven knows why the shop employee gave all of those expensive rocks for free as if he did that to spite a certain Magus family that resides over in Fuyuki. It is a good thing Ichigo never know the Tohsaka family personally or any version of them in the alternate universes, only the Goddesses who possess their heiress's body.

Uryuu is not a Magus, that is a fact.

But Ichigo has this suspicion about both Magus and Quincy for having the same characteristics in their techniques, especially the phylogenetic pattern on their body when activating their abilities; Magic Circuits are pseudo-nerves, while it is said that Quincy allegedly uses their blood vessels for defensive purposes, Ichigo thought how dangerous that is by using actual blood vessels for Strengthening spell unless the Quincy are a bunch of masochists who is fine about losing their limbs or they thought that pseudo-nerves and their blood vessels are the same things.

In a slight, it looked like it is, but it really is not.

The thing is with evolution, the principle can vary, which is why there is a possibility that Magus and Quincy were once one kind and then separated into two lines that developed differently. One follows the path of Root and the other follows the path of Shamanism. Ichigo is proof that a Quincy descent can learn magecraft or Quincy's abilities can be categorized as magecraft that is specifically owned by the descendants of the first Quincy. After many generations, some traits may not appear because she simply does not inherit them, like her inability in conjuring a bow by using Reishi.

For Quincy, conjuring their Heilig Pfeil is considered a big deal because it is proof of their bloodlines but Ichigo, being taught by Archer Servants in the way 'hunter-gatherers had been using a bow for ages, if you do not have one, make it yourself', so unable to summon a bow it is not a scar in her heart. Now she has her own conceptual weapon in which one of its forms is a bow and it is able to slay Hollow just fine.

Unless she wields Gandiva and Pasupati, but that is a whole different story altogether.

Ichigo remembered how Arjuna simply glanced at his divine bow when she told him about her Quincy ancestry and that she is unable to summon a bow, the demigod actually offered her to try wielding the majestic weapon only to find she cannot even draw the string.

 

Back to Uryuu, Ichigo found great amusement at his confused expression when given the hunting set. She took her time to explain the effect and uses of each arrow.

"Red is fire, purple is lightning, blue is ice. Since this stuff is limited and expensive, so calculate your uses."

"Kurosaki, what in the world-?"

Ichigo snatched the bow she made for Uryuu, took one red arrow, and fire it into a dead tree somewhere in the training ground. Said tree exploded and catches on fire at the same time, "Feel free to try the effect of the lighting and ice, one each is enough. Normally, you won't be able to activate the spell but we can compensate for that."

"I don't understand. How is it you making this bow and arrow?! Don't expect me to thank you just because I lost my power!" Uryuu, the tsundere he is, scoffed.

Ichigo regales him by laughing straight to his face.

"Thank me? I don't give two shit about someone who wields a bow but doesn't pride themselves as a bowman. I made this because you need to get out of this dimension alive, dumbass. Also, Orihime said to me last night about she offered you to bring your Quincy power back. Well, guess what, she can't. Because there's nothing wrong with you, those abilities are ingrained in your soul, locked not gone."

"What are spouting about, what do you know about Quincy anyway?!"

They say Magic Circuits are opened when magical energy is run through them for the first time. Ichigo grabbed Uryuu's hand, activated her Magic Circuit and the blue phylogenetic pattern appeared, letting her prana touch the surface of Uryuu's being.

Uryuu keeled to the ground as he felt as if he was being shot in the heart by an arrow, not the romantic kind, the deadly one.

 

The deed is done.

 

"Probably more than you. Now you can use those arrows as easily as breathing."

"What the Hell?! That's not how Blut is supposed to work!" Uryuu gasped, there is a numbness that was gradually starting to diminish, "Y-You're a Quincy?!"

Since there is no Quincy in Chaldea, no one can teach Ichigo what this Blut thing is. Funnily enough, Blut is blood in German. Must be when her ancestor entered the Germanic countries the spell order changed. Pretty sure Strengthening and Blut is actually the same thing.

"Yes and no. I mean if a family friend didn't tell me about my ancestor, I wouldn't know that I'm one. Don't make it sound as if a Quincy is some sort of sub-human species, we're not, we're humans with bullshit ingrained in us."

"F... Family friend?" Uryuu croaked.

"His name is David. He loves real estate and stocks."

Yes, David. Solomon's father. History did not account for this childhood friend of his named Azriel, who turns out to be Ichigo's ancestor. How is David sure that she is his friend's descendant? Ichigo inherited Azriel's magic...and his nose...

 

(And his heart! Such a traveler, can't stay in one place!)

 

"So Ishida, do you still have some pride in yourself, or being a bystander is enough for you?"

"... I hate you," Uryuu sneered.

"No, you don't."

Because if someone hates Ichigo, based on her experience, they would try to kill her.

 


 

"Byakuya, stop joking around! At noon tomorrow, your sister will-" Ukitake cannot believe this. The Central pushed Rukia's execution to tomorrow?! This is all too convenient!

"I have heard. A Hell Butterfly was here a while ago," Byakuya answered coldly as if not caring that his sister is going to die, "I shall honor the decision of Central 46."

No, you idiotic young man, it's not the Central's doing!

 Although with Aizen's machination in the background, Ukitake cannot patch the actual connection with the execution, and Byakuya, the stubborn mule he is, will ignore it as long as he wants.

"She's a member of my family, not yours, even if she is killed, it shouldn't concern you Captain Ukitake." Byakuya walks away, "Please be reasonable, don't act recklessly."

Ukitake thinks of Kaien, that lieutenant of his would probably kick Byakuya in the ass or...choose the most dangerous path. The latter was the path that the Ryoka and their allies had taken, and one of that allies is him.

Just like those humans say, when life gives you lemons, you make lemonade out of it!

 

Notes:

Zanpakutou have their personality, but Fray is a shade of Ichigo's soul, a Living Shadow (aka the 'DRK Level 80 ability). The description in the game is summoning a 'simulacrum of your dark side, Ichigo's case is already different, she accepts that she is 'DARK'. Their personality is the same though interchangeable.
Kasuga Kuchiki (朽木 春日, Kuchiki Kasuga). Her name is inspired by Lady Kasuga, a Japanese noble lady, and politician from a prominent Japanese samurai family of the Azuchi–Momoyama, and Edo periods, her real name is Saitō Fuku. She was the wet nurse of the third Tokugawa shōgun Iemitsu. Her name 春日 literally means “spring day”.

Scathach did not (traditionally) train women, there's a Celtic belief that stated that only women could teach men effective battle skills, and only men could teach them to women. But because of Eld Aether and things-that-I-can't-reveal-because-spoiler, she accepts Ichigo as her student.

The strange woman is taken the appearance of Gentiana, if you play FFXV, you know who that is. It's not Final Fantasy without their Gods after all.

Azriel (Asriel, Azrael; Hebrew: "God is my Help" "Helped by God." The name Azriel (Asriel) in the Bible is the son of Manasseh by his concubine, and founder of the clan of Asrielites. To match the timeline into David's Era, meaning his friend Azriel is the descendant of said clan.

Chapter 26: Seas Of Blood Are a Song

Summary:

When people remind you that your homework is due tomorrow... Welp, time to be a menace to society then!

Notes:

Ichigo once moved every piece of furniture in Romani's office a few inches from its original position. The poor doctor and acting director of Chaldea were so confused why he keeps bumping into the stuff in his room.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"You're Yoruichi?!" Renji pointed at the dark-skinned lady in front of him, "You're-you're a-a-"

"A smoking hot lady, thank you very much!" Yoruichi drawled.

 

The allies of the Ryoka have come to offer cooperation and the bad news about Rukia's execution schedule had been advanced. The Karakura Gang stopped their training to welcome Tatsuki back, Orihime especially is so glad her best friend is alive and well.

The loud noises of weapons clashing at each other however drew quite a spectator. They saw Ichigo and a man in weird clothing having a violent cat-and-mouse game; the redhead noticed the audience, giving a light wave as a 'hello' at them before being tackled by Fray, and promptly brawled rather childishly.

"Who is that?" Ukitake pointed at the unknown man who is fighting Ichigo.

"That's Ichigo's Zanpakutou spirit," Yoruichi answered.

"Truly? her Zanpakutou is a man?!"

"You're not the only one who was surprised."

 

Ukitake was sure the said Zanpakutou Spirit is a man despite being covered with his armor from top to bottom, his build is far stockier despite being the same height as Ichigo. Zanpakutou Spirits are independent about their appearance but he cannot help but sense something different about Ichigo's Zanpakutou Spirit.

Something unfamiliarity with other Zanpakutou around, as if calling him a Zanpakutou is...wrong.

 

 

From afar, unheard by the spectator, Fray snickered lowly.

"Do you hear that? They think I'm a Zanpakutou spirit!"

"What do you expect? If tell them that you're an ego manifestation that weaponized, they will think I'm crazy!" Ichigo chided.

"Aw, but we already live in a crazy world~"

Ichigo yelped when she barely dodged a blade directed at her abdomen courtesy of Fray who cackled madly.

 

Piece of shit thinks he's a damn Tonberry!

 

 

Yoruichi briefly explained that Ichigo is doing her Bankai training by using Kisuke Urahara's method which makes the Soul Reapers a bit confused because it does not look like Bankai training, it is more like playing around. Normally, Soul Reaper does this while in their Jinzen state but since Urahara is involved who makes the impossible became possible and they cannot defy how abnormal it is to pull the training from the reality within their state of being into the outside reality.

"Does Urahara also play a painful game of tag during his Bankai training?" Kyouraku asked.

Yoruichi's eyes crinkled, "... No." Kisuke barely had the luxury Ichigo has right now. After all, Benihime was a bitch... Is what she would add if she did not swear secrecy about Kisuke's Bankai training experience, "Let's not bother her, we can wait until she's done-"

"Hey, come on now Yoruichi-san, do you really think I'm that busy?" Ichigo called out from the distance.

Yoruichi huffed, her eyebrows twitched in annoyance, "Well, in case you didn't notice, you are trying to obtain a damn Bankai in a matter of no less than seventy-two hours!"

"I'll manage. Got some news for me, maybe? It's not like I can get a morning newspaper around here!"

Yoruichi sighed in exasperation.

 

Kyouraku cleared his throat, preparing for a shout, "Well for a start, Rukia-chan's execution is forwarded into tomorrow!"

 

Ichigo and Fray crossed their blades and paused exactly at that moment. Their faces turned in disbelief at a group of Soul Reapers consisting of Ukitake, Kyouraku's lieutenant, and a pair of the Thirteenth Division Third Seat; those who are not Soul Reapers are Ganju and an unknown old lady beside him.

 

"WHAT? TOMORROW?!"

 

"Yes! It's exactly twenty-eight hours from now on!" Kyouraku shouted again in reply.

 

They heard a string of curses from the pair in training with the most eloquent one being 'I fucking hate bureaucracy' from Ichigo. The rest is undeciphered since it seems to be uttered in multiple different languages.

 

"Also, if you don't mind we brought some more people folks in the circle!"

Ukitake gestured in encouragement to the unknown Soul Reapers to introduce themselves.

"Greetings, Ichigo Kurosaki, my name is Nanao Ise, lieutenant of the Eight Division!" Said a slim and youthful girl with long black hair normally kept pinned back, with flat bangs that hang to the right side of her face.

"I'm Kiyone Kotetsu!" Said a petite, has dark blond hair and gray eyes. She wears a standard Shinigami uniform with the collar of a white shirt protruding over her top and white gloves.

"I'm Sentarou Kotsubaki!" Said a man with dark hair and a short goatee, wearing a customized version of the standard Soul Reaper uniform, a thin white headband, and white straps around his shoulders, which are tied in a circle at his back.

"And we are the Third Seat of the Thirteenth Division!" Kiyone and Sentarou shouted in unison.

"Nice to meet all of you! I'm sorry I can't introduce myself in better circumstances. Ichigo Kurosaki, Ryoka!" Ichigo then ducked down because Fray is trying to behead her.

"Ichigo, my grandmother is also here! Her name is Kasuga Kuchiki!" Ganju shouted.

"Why thank you Ganju, but I do want to join the fanfare too. Nice to meet you Kurosaki-san!" Kasuga, despite her age, produced quite a melodic yell.

"Nice to meet you, ma'am!" Ichigo gritted her teeth, trying to push Fray back, instead, something clicked in her mind, "Huh, a Kuchiki?" And cannot help turning her head at the noblewoman only to be smacked by Fray's palm.

 

Kyouraku tipped his hat while chuckling in amusement, the redhead's Zanpakutou Spirit is quite a funny one. He then noticed the stilled form of Kasuga and lightly tapped her on the back, fearing the older woman would keel over, he get a reply in a form of a smile that reassured him that she is fine. Although he does know what actually bothers her. It is not every day you see someone resembling your deceased daughter.

Free from that, he and Ukitake had their own opinion regarding the Bankai training. They can sense the gradual increase of spiritual pressure, it was unbelievably steady considering that achieving Bankai is an option that was given by Yoruichi and Ichigo just agreed.

The tool that was used to draw out her Zanpakutou Spirit is Urahara's invention, they never heard the full story of how the man achieved his Bankai and they did not even what it is looks like since at the time of his inauguration, the one who oversees his Bankai demonstration was the Head Captain, former Captain Ginrei Kuchiki, Captain Unohana and Yoruichi; the latter being the who recommended him.

Kyouraku once invited Urahara to a drink, and aside from a personal congratulation for the promotion, he used it to pry some general information. Like asking how long did it take the man to achieve a Bankai, with the shocking answer of three days. When Urahara tried to explain how he did it, the moment he delve into his 'scientific experiment' Kyouraku put him to stop and said he can keep it to himself. Scientists and their jargon, he was going to box his ears with that.

The point is, Urahara achieved his Bankai in a very short period of time with a ninety-nine percent chance of him dying from it.

 

Fantastic. So success is 'I got lucky' for the exiled man. Seriously, what is wrong with the younger generation with the prospect of dying in their training development?

 

Today, it looks like what is in front of them is a full show of that dangerous method and it is possible for three days. Any more than three days; who knows what is going to happen to the Soul Reaper or the Zanpakutou Spirit

And Ichigo is expected to be already achieved her Bankai tomorrow, on the day of the execution. 

... Kids these days, impatient little tykes.

 

"Yoruichi are you positive that she can do it?" Ukitake glanced at the woman who tentatively watching Ichigo's progress.

If Ichigo was not able to achieve on time, Yoruichi would have just to bet on luck. But she had seen the girl's resolve, her capabilities, and no matter what secret she hold, it was hidden not out of harm.

Ichigo has the sheer confident eyes of someone who had won so many battles. It makes Yoruichi want to believe her without question. 

No matter how strange for the teen to have that kind of shine in her eyes. 

 

You trusting me that I could do it Yoruichi-san, that itself already enough.

 

Such is her word.

 

Yoruichi harumphed hands resting on her hip, "... I don't have any other choice but to trust her."

"Are you being skeptical?"

"Who knows."

 

 

Fray decided to halt the training in the late afternoon, which is a good thing as his master is extremely parched. Yoruichi gave her a bottle of water which Ichigo gratefully accepts. She currently sitting down on some random rock, and decided to experiment for a bit; checking her surrounding to see if no one is paying attention to her, she lifted her right arm and concentrated to summon a conceptual armor.

Suddenly, her right arm is now covered with red with gold accented vambrace. A bit of a disappointment since it is the lesser version of the actual armor. It is a shame, she missed the look of the plated claw.

Though this also means that the Bankai training method works just fine at restoring her powers.

Ichigo quickly dismissed the protective gear as felt a light tap on her shoulder. It is the Kuchiki noblewoman. Unlike Byakuya who exudes coldness, this woman held no such thing. Sure she is high and poised, but it is more like she brandished her confidence.

"Hello! Ichigo Kurosaki-san, may I sit with you? I brought some lunch too," On Kasuga Kuchiki's hand is a wooden food tray filled with several onigiris.

Anyone could have gone to Ichigo for bringing her lunch, the fact that it is the Kuchiki noblewoman, means she wanted to have a chat.

"Sure, if you don't mind sitting with someone sweaty," Ichigo, in an attempt to make herself more presentable, wipes the sweat on her face with her sleeve.

"Oh, it's fine. I'm used to it," Kasuga waved it off, "I was a Soul reaper too, you know. I have my moment of sweaty too."

"Ah...right." Ichigo accepted the food and tried not to think the old woman is lowkey threatening by revealing she was a former Soul Reaper.

 

Kasuga watched Ichigo who ate her food methodically and very focused as if she is going to choke anytime.

Paranoid. The young girl is paranoid.

How strange... Ichigo Kurosaki is uncharacteristically guarded unlike her other companions; the three humans and the Quincy. She does not trust her at all from the get-go despite revealing herself as an ally.

Kasuga expected the girl to have some sort of naivety only for her expectation to be defied.

Ah well, it's not like I expect her to completely trust me from the start...

She took time to inspect the girl's appearance. From being this close, Ichigo is not exactly resembled Hiroko, it is just that their facial shape is the same. Besides, Ichigo's eyes are more upward, giving her a sharper look of gaze; she has no thick under lashes which is a trait carried by the Shiba Clan, a shy nose instead of pointy, and her hair -Dear God, her hair!- no Shiba ever had that shade of hair color, except for the people who married into the clan.

The girl definitely has a relation to the Shiba Clan and Kasuga had seen Yoruichi's obvious slight bristle when she volunteer to bring Ichigo's share of food, almost like she was trying to prevent creating an interaction. In the end, the former Shihouin Clan Head relented, knowing that she could not change her mind about Lady Kasuga Kuchiki. Why not? Kasuga was her damn babysitter for God's sake! She might as well be her second mother.

Could it be Ichigo is the spawn of one of her missing children? Which one? There is Isshin or Mina; her youngest son and youngest daughter whom she was sure was not dead. Mina ran away after she disagree to be put into an arranged marriage with the Tsunayashiro Clan and that was over fifty years ago. Is this child Mina's daughter? Maybe she has a husband with the surname of Kurosaki.

"Kurosaki-san, how old are you? I can't help but notice that you're awfully young," Kasuga's baiting for some information.

"My age? I had my birthday a while ago, so I'm sixteen," Ichigo said, her food is almost finished. At least, that's my chronological age if I was never involved with Chaldea.

Kasuga felt someone dump a bucket of cold water on her. SIX...TEEN?! Maybe Mina had her child late--NO. Rukia knew Ichigo from the human world, this child is human! There is only one child of hers that was reported missing from the human world twenty years ago... The teacup that she held was broken to pieces by her tight grip.

 

THAT UNFILIAL SON OF MINE! 

 

"Woah! Ma'am are you alright?!" Ichigo is surprised by the broken ceramic.

"Yes, yes. I'm fine! I'm so old and sometimes my grip often slipped!" Inwardly Kasuga fumed, swearing that she is going to strangle her son by the time she sees him again, "So tell me how do you know Ganju?" 

"... Okay...as long you're not hurt, ma'am," Ichigo can sense the lady is trying to change the topic and she obliged, "How do I know Ganju? Yoruichi-san brought us to the West Rukongai, looking for Kuukaku Shiba but she apparently changed her address a lot so we need to ask around. Ganju comes barge in with his pig to the village elder's house and starts to declare- Pardon my language," She mimicked the pose the first time she saw Ganju, "He said 'What a shitty Soul Reaper doing here?!' while riding on a giant boar." 

"Is that so?" Kasuga sighed, "I'm sorry, it's quite a story why he acts like that."

Ichigo held her hands up, "It's fine actually, I'd say it's quite an impression he made... Uh, if you don't me asking, why is your surname still Kuchiki if you married Ganju's grandfather?"

"It's not customary here to adopt their husband's surname, but I'm still a Shiba by marriage. Besides, it was a union between two primary noble clans, we pretty much can decide whatever we want. Also, if the husband died, the wife can return to her birth family house."

"Oh yeah! I heard of similar custom back in the human world."

 

Yoruichi stirred her tea anxiously watching Ichigo and Kasuga getting along swimmingly. Should she tell Isshin about this? No. That guy had it coming anyway.

 

After discussing some of the most reckless plans ever that required Ganju and Nanao to combine their Kidō knowledge, inviting the Eleventh Division 'to the party', and quite possibly high-cost damage to Seireitei, they have to part ways and prepare for tomorrow.

With the exception of Renji who chooses to stay at the training grounds so he can train his Bankai more and Yoruichi supervising, the rest are joining Kasuga at the Kuchiki estate. The Karakura Gang had to come with the Soul Reapers because it is dangerous to be near the vicinity of a newly achieved Bankai; referring to Ichigo.

Ichigo assures her friends that she will succeed by saying the most unflappable words, "Don't worry guys, the explosion is going to be so pretty!"

None of them know how to respond to that.

 

Kasuga does not forget to tell Ichigo that she can visit the Kuchiki Manor after the storm has passed before departing.

Kyouraku and Ukitake, seeing the Kuchiki noblewoman's newfound happiness, glanced discreetly at each other. Before they went back to their respective divisions, they huddled together at Kasuga; confusing their subordinates, Ganju, and the Karakura Gang in the process.

"So, which one Kasuga-san?"

Kasuga put her hand together as if praying and took a deep breath, a vein appeared on her forehead, and whispered the name of her third-born son, "Isshin."

Kyouraku and Ukitake dramatically gasped.

 

 


 

 

On the morning of Rukia's execution, Byakuya is in his quarters, praying, a photo of a woman sitting on a shrine, silent to her husband's prayer. A servant reminded him to make a preparation to go to the Soukyoku.

"I'm going... Hisana."

 

06:00 A.M

 

 

Nanao climbed onto the roof of the Eight Division barrack, finding her captain lying around while chewing on a stem of grass, telling him to get up and get ready to go. 

Kyouraku spat out the grass, "Ugh, my tongue feels numb, that grass must be poisoned. How is the preparation going?"

"Everyone is already at their position," Nanao reported, fixing the place of her glasses, "We only need to wait for... Strawberry."

Kyouraku snickered at the code name and plopped up, "Well, time to get scolded by Yama-ji!"

 

07:00 A.M

 

Kenpachi whistled, true to Kyouraku's word that he will be going to have an interesting fight on the day of the execution. That is why Tatsuki and Orihime were planted at the Eleventh Division, to avert nearby captains into thinking that said division is rebelling by bringing a Ryoka. In front of him is the captain of the Seventh Division, Sajin Komamura, and his lieutenant, Tetsuzaemon Iba. Then there is the captain of the Ninth Division, Tosen Kaname, and his lieutenant, Shuuhei Hisagi.

"Where are you taking that Ryoka? Zaraki have you lost your pride and your righteousness when you lost that fight," Tōsen referred to Kenpachi's fight with Ichigo.

"What the fuck are you talking about? Who cares about pride and righteousness, are you going to fight me or what?" Kenpachi drawled lazily, cleaning his ear with his pinky.

Hisagi recognized Tatsuki and Orihime, being his previous opponent. He did not hear any news of them being held in custody by the Eleventh Division... Something is off.

"Damn, Hisagi noticed," Yumichika clicked his tongue, "You two, go!"

Tatsuki and Orihime nodded, turn away, and ran.

Hisagi was going to after them but Yumichika intercepts him, "Your opponent is me."

"Oi, Yumichika, what the Hell are you doing? I was going to fight all of them," Kenpachi said, feeling annoyed.

"Please allow us, Captain, besides, two of us against these lieutenants are more than enough," Ikkaku gave a thumbs up, "Iba-san you're with me!"

"Tsk, Fight elsewhere, if you get in my way I'll chop you up first."

The subordinates disperse to find their places so their captains have this ground free for their fight.

 

09:00 A.M

 

Tatsuki and Orihime saw a floor tile being lifted. It is Hanatarou, waving at them. They quickly get inside the sewer for a shortcut.

 

09:05 A.M

 

Rukia is escorted by the guards to Soukyoku hill from the First Division's cell. She thought it is a little bit funny that Ichigo's stunt destroyed the bridge, and because of that she was unable to go back to the Senzaikyuu, the change of scenery is nice.

Eyes heavenward. Clear sky. One might say it is a good day to die.

 

10:23 A.M

 

Ukitake is at his hiding spot, a shield in his hand, and not going to the execution on purpose. Kiyone, Sentarou, and Chad are with him.

"It's almost time. Kiyone, Sentarou, prepare the tracking and communication Kidō, Yasutora-kun please guard them."

The three nodded, confirming their duty.

 

10:45 A.M

 

Uryuu looks like he was loitering on some tree while wearing two types of outer. On top of a black concealing Reiatsu Coat is a Shihouin cloak that enables him to fly. His bow and arrow slung on his back.

... Would not it be cool if he smoke now? 

"Ugh, I'm turning into Ryuuken," Uryuu said disgustedly.

 

11:00 A.M

 

Yoruichi stretched herself, preparing for battle. Behind her, Ichigo and Renji share a fist bump before departing to their specific destination.

"Whatever it takes?"

"You betcha!"

 

11:20 A.M

 

Ganju coughed after inhaling some dust, "Alright, that's done for now. Can't believe we're going to cut the hill. This is some insanity," And he is happy to be a part of it.

 

11:45 A.M

 

Kasuga waiting at the Kuchiki manor with her personal Kuchiki Senkaimon can only hope for the best. "Good luck everyone."

 

12:00 P.M

 


 

At midday, a total of four division leaders and their lieutenants, with exception of the Sixth Division's Lieutenant, and Captain-Commander Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto, who is in charge of commencing the execution himself, are in attendance. 

Soi Fon, the captain of the Second Division, noted the horrible absence, though it is none of her business to care. 

"Rukia Kuchiki, do you have any last word?" The Captain-Commander's voice is that of a caring grandfather.

Rukia looked at her brother for the last time, Byakuya averts his gaze from her eyes. Ah, so that's it, "Yes, just one thing. Please let the Ryoka go back to their home unharmed."

"Very well, your request will be honored,"

Everyone who presents, however, knows that the Captain-Commander has no intention of sparing the Ryoka.

"Thank you, I'm very grateful."

 

Everyone in Soul Society felt the presence of the Soukyoku seal being released. Rukia was lifted by Seki-Seki blocks to the point of the support beams, these past few days she met these people who fought so hard for her freedom, and it made her heart into turmoil as they gave her that hope to stay alive. But now it is at peace again, perhaps because of the Captain-Commander's promise, or because when she looks at her brother who acted so serenely, not even turning to look her way...

Nevertheless, "Thank you very much... Onii-sama," For taking care of me...

The spear of the Soukyoku suddenly burst into a whirlwind of fire, changing shapes into a flaming bird, Kikōō. This is the true form of the spearhead of the Soukyoku and the actual executioner of this grand punishment. As it pierces the victim, this power increases tenfold and creates so much heat it vaporizes their soul. They said the Sōkyoku’s offensive and defensive power is said to be equivalent to that of a million Zanpakutou.

But Rukia felt no regret. Meeting Renji and the others, adopted into the Kuchiki's clan, Kaien-dono's guidance, and Ichigo's attempt to rescue her. She closed her eyes, waiting for her end... Thank you... Thank you...and... Farewell.

 

"Sup, good looking! Looking scraggly as ever!"

 

... This voice...

Rukia opens her eyes to see...

"WHAT THE- ICHIGO?!"

Standing in front of her Ichigo Kurosaki in her glory, floating in the air, stopping the flaming bird with her still-sealed Zanpakutou. Rukia cannot believe how persistent her friend is.

"Idiot! Why do you keep coming back?! You'll be killed! I've resigned to my fate! I don't need your help! GO HOME!"

Ichigo smiled coyly at Rukia and pushed the flaming bird executioner to back off. The bird screeched in anger, preparing so it can back for a second strike. Only to have ropes thrown around the neck by the newly arrived Captain Ukitake. The ropes are connected to the shield and two prongs are planted on the ground, Kyouraku and Nanao are at his side immediately.

"Hey, handsome. Right on time," Kyouraku greeted playfully.

"The owner helps me break the seal after all," Ukitake smirked.

Kyouraku stares upward, the figure of someone that can block a Soukyoku are truly magnificent, "To think she actually did it," He whistled.

 

A Tenshiheisō!

Soi Fon recognized the symbol on the shield, it was none other than the Shihouin family crest, "Stop them! They're going to destroy the Soukyoku!" For that shield was one of the many weapons in Soul Society that can destroy the Soukyoku!

 

No one even had the time to react when Kyouraku and Ukitake embedded their Zanpakutou on the shield and let their Reiatsu flow right to the rope, the clashing surge of energies destroyed the flaming bird into an explosion like a thousand fireworks.

That was only for a distraction.

"Ha! For a bird, you were pretty hot!" Ichigo leaped onto the wooden beam, and promptly examine it for a bit. Wow, this is some nice wood...

"What are you going to do Ichigo?!" Rukia shouted.

"Isn't it obvious? Breaking this elaborate crucifixion pole!"

Rukia was going to say that it is impossible but she was too late, Ichigo stabbed her sword into the pole, and by using her immense energies to overpower the whole structure, she succeeded in setting Rukia free. When she looked down, all eyes are on her; stunned, in awe, and indignant. 

"Do you truly accept this facade, Rukia? Why do you think we fought so hard for you in the first place?" Ichigo set Rukia down beside her, took off the Shihoun cloak, and draped it around the petite Soul Reaper, "We're here to help you because we care about you. Yuki, especially, is waiting to go back to her master's embrace."

"Yuki?" Rukia blinked in confusion, "You mean, Sode no Shirayuki?"

"Oh, is that her full name?" Sleeves of White Snow, "How fitting."

Rukia sees the steel in Ichigo's eyes, the promises in her word, the feeling of her power flowing into her. Rukia fought back her tears. Damn, this idiot, now her will to live is flaring again!

"I... I won't say thank you!"

"That's fine, I don't have to," Ichigo glanced in the direction where Renji is hiding. Without warning, Rukia is lifted and aimed at the intended trajectory, "Too bad we don't have a lot of time to chat. Time for the next part of the plan! Take a deep breath!"

"Wha? -Wait a minute, you don't mean you're going to-!"

"Exactly! Don't worry, Renji is on the other side!"

 

Renji flexed his finger, getting ready to catch Ruki, "Alright, here we go."

 

 

"GO LONG!" Ichigo throws Rukia as ala American football athlete and the ball is screaming at the top of her lungs. 

 

 

At the other side of the yard, Renji catches the ball dead on. Laughed in amusement when seeing Rukia gasping for air, "Yo, midget! Happy to see us?"

"Us?!" Rukia confused.

"Rukia-san!"

"Hi, Rukia!"

"Kuchiki-san, how's the flying trip?"

Rukia fought back her tears. Hanatarou, Tatsuki, and Orihime are all here too...

"Terrible. My trip was terrible."

 

Ichigo blitzed down to present herself in front of the captains and lieutenants; orders are immediately given to apprehend her. The lieutenant of the First, Second, and Fourth are all releasing their Shikai; then Ichigo swiftly destroyed an oversized spiked ball, knocked down a man holding a rapier, and finally the tall woman, Ichigo saw her badge... Ah, she's from the Fourth, this must be Kiyone's older sister, Isane. Her captain is our ally. She grabbed Isane's wrist, do a ballroom spin and throw her at Unohana, who catches her lieutenant, falling onto her hand in bridal style.

Isane being confused is an understatement and promptly blushed as realizing that she is in her captain's arms.

"If you don't mind, I'm not taking down any healer today," Ichigo said.

Unohana nodded and backed away from the chaos.

 

Soi Fon came next by charging toward Ichigo, kodachi out. Before the pointy end of the weapon reached, Ichigo seemingly disappeared from Soi Fon's sight. Then assassin-base captain looked down to see Ryoka's face have this streak of amusement plastered as she slide under her. 

Ichigo did a breakdance move and kicked the assassin upward, "Up yours!"

"Roger!" Said an orange blur who swept the Second Division captain away from the hill.

 

Strong killing intent from the Captain-Commander almost made Ichigo reach for her arsenal, only to be intercepted as Kyouraku and Ukitake pushed their old teacher Yamamoto away. Nanao was nowhere to be found, Kyouraku must have told her to be at her next position after Ichigo came down from the pole.

 

"Isane please collect Lieutenant Sasakibe, while I tend to Lieutenant Omaeda," Captain Unohana set down her lieutenant from her hold.

"Huh? I mean- Yes, captain!" Isane blushed.

Captain Unohana, by the way, slung the huge lieutenant Omaeda on her shoulder while Isane piggyback lieutenant Sasakibe.

 

This time Ichigo truly lifted her sword to block Byakuya's advance, "We meet again, Byakuya Kuchiki."

Byakuya is looking apathetic as always.

 

 

: Everyone is connected: Nanao's voice resounds on every one of the rebels' heads, : Still no sign of Aizen?: 

The communication team is in pairs now, Kiyone and Sentarou, Nanao, and Ganju, both teams respectively cast Bakudō #58. Kakushitsuijaku and Bakudō #77. Tenteikūra. Normally they cannot exchange information 'telepathically' though they managed to develop the Kidō overnight, Ganju helped by applying some of the theories that only the Shiba Clan had.

: Nothing. Sentarou can't track Captain Ichimaru and Captain Hitsugaya, do you think they are an accomplice?: Kiyone inquired.

: Ise-san, Kiyone-san, I might have an insight.: 

: Captain Unohana?: Nanao and Kiyone despite knowing the captain is an ally, are still surprised to hear her voice. Unohana does have a reputation for being scary.

: You two won't be able to track or communicate with me for a while. I have my suspicion when checking which supposedly Aizen's corpse. Isane and I will be entering the Central 46 Headquarters. I have a feeling that Captain Hitsugaya is going there to ask for clarity from the Central. Continue to support others!: 

: Yes, ma'am!:

 

Ichigo is busy fighting Byakuya, though she has something to say, : Everyone, those camera flies are around me and Byakuya right now.:

: So he is indeed alive,: Kyouraku made a non-committal hum, : Just when did he have the time to set up a show for himself?:

: A lot apparently,: Kasuga chided, : Ichigo, do you think you can convince my grandnephew?:

: I'll try my best, Kasuga-san. But I have a feeling it won't be that easy... I think this is going to be explosive.:

: ... Is this what you mean by the explosion is going to be pretty?:

Everyone heard that telepathic giggle from Ichigo, free of concern that Byakuya Kuchiki can eviscerate her.

: It seems so!:

 

Notes:

Gin is not here because of the changing location from the bridge to the First Division, there's no way he's going to prance his antics in front of Rukia in Yamamoto's territory.

Chapter 27: Death An Afterthought

Summary:

There is no need for further deception! Now is the time to renounce the lies which led us down this path—to start anew!

Notes:

Ichigo put the furniture back to its original position because she's a good kid.
Romani is glad that he doesn't bump into them anymore but still... Who could've done this?!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo is enjoying herself, her opponent must be very confused why she can read every of his attack and read his tricks, and oh how she wanted to break that icy vestige of his. Sōjun's son is very fun to tease, indeed!

Except those camera flies are ruining the moment. Curse those bastards who thought this was a goddamn telenovela!

 

Setting aside the amusement in bedazzling Byakuya, Ichigo gathered her thoughts about the situation. All of this mess is ignited because Urahara hid some omnipotent device inside Rukia that had prevented Sode no Shirayuki, and for some reason, this Aizen person is after the stuff. Merlin confirmed that it is not the Holy Grail, though it does a device that cumulated that can be used as a 'magical energy'.

If Soukyoku succeeded in executing Rukia would that omnipotent device survive? It is clear that in this picture Rukia did not matter, but as long as the device resided within her there will be no safety for her.

Ichigo prayed to every God out there that she did not stumble into some alternate version of the Holy Grail War or some iteration of it.

She needs to find out what the Hell that thing is before it created a bigger problem that might affect humanity!

 

"Why?" Byakuya heaved, "Why do you try to save Rukia so many times?"

Ichigo cocked one of her eyebrows at the silly question, "Because her brother is a fucking idiot."

"A foolish people like you-"

"Would never understand?" Ichigo finished the predictable sentence. Okay, maybe he is that stupid. "Don't downgrade your adversary in such a way, Byakuya. It makes you the one who looks foolish." She pressed sternly at the last word.

Considering what Kasuga-san said about her grandnephew, right now, Byakuya is in a storm of confusion. It is not about what he should do, it is more about what he should choose. Ichigo understands why Kasuga did not go for the detail as she respected her grandnephew and was a no-brainer, considering he is the Clan Head.

His mentality is not a rare case, Chaldea is practically littered with people similar to Byakuya. When you are a King, a Commander, or a Chieftain; what should you choose? The law or your heart? The country or your family?

They say one can be a leader of their people but not a father to their daughter.

Did Byakuya choose to be the leader of his clansmen but not older than his younger sister? If he brings up Rukia being adopted into the clan as the degrading reason, that is where Ichigo is going to draw the line and socked his face real good, concluding that he IS a trademark bastard.

But no, Kasuga-san said to have some faith in him.

 

Yeah okay, I'll have some faith in him. Deep breath, Ichigo; do this for Rukia, do this for Kasuga-san... Heck, do this for Sōjun-san!

 

The truth was, Ichigo had been to Soul Society before, however, it was Soul Society that was cradled in chaos far more horrifying than today. Though it was not the usual Singularity, a pseudo one it is still not a joke. She and Scáthach were there, looking for the demon lurking in the dimension. The people of Seireitei mistrusted the two foreigners but quickly gain the trust (out of fear) of the Ancient God Killer from the Land of Shadow.

There was one man, sick as he was, a loving husband to his wife and unborn child. He agreed to house Ichigo and her teacher in his home. He put his trust in them for as long as his son can see the light of day when the time baby is ready to come out. The man's name was Sōjun Kuchiki and he was one few people in the household Ichigo ever saw. Who knows it is a big manor, maybe the other family was in the other area of the building.

One day on a strangely peaceful day despite the sky looking as if it was burning, Sōjun and Ichigo were sitting on the veranda. The man looking up at the sky...

 

 

"Byakuya! That shall be my son's name," To remind him of the peaceful gliding white clouds that never exist since the chaos happened, "I want him to hold true to his heart and what he loves. Even if this chaos ended, I would not be around to see him grow up."

"Don't say that. Who knows maybe your illness will magically get better!" Ichigo playfully slaps Sōjun on the shoulder, "Also, you're naming your son after the clouds? Your son's going to hate you for that."

The two laughed their hearts in contentment.

"Ichigo-san, when he finally comes into the world born, will you hold him?" Sōjun offered, "I want him to know the protector who comes to this world so he can be born safely."

"Hey now, be careful. I'm still a foreigner with a questionable origin," Ichigo drawled and then smiled, "But it would be an honor Sōjun-san. Thank you."

For the next two months, Ichigo and Scáthach worked their way and succeeded. The world is saved. Everybody had forgotten the two foreigners, such is the order when the Singularity is fixed.

 

Little Byakuya must have been born at some point...

 

 

Actually, Sōjun-san, please come here and smack your son for his idiocy!

 

Shame on you, Byakuya. Shame on you. For not seeing it coming. What a dumbass of a brother, as the head of the Kuchiki Clan, should not he notice the manipulation of one of his family members! 

 

Lucky you, Byakuya. Lucky you. For it is foul play.

 

"Tell me, what is the purpose of this fight then? Byakuya Kuhiki, why are we fighting?" Ichigo asked.

"We fight so I can kill you Ichigo Kurosaki, then I will kill Rukia myself."

Ichigo mentally said her forgiveness to Kasuga. Looks like it is going to get rough... Also, how long Byakuya is going to continue all of his old tricks? He had been recycling them for the past five minutes!

"Oh, you phrased it like you're very confident that you can kill me. Prove it. Your tricks are already old news to me, show me something else." 

 

Ignoring the taunt, Byakuya's expression still does not change.

 


 

Down in the sewer system of Soul Society. The group is led by Hanatarou, Renji is holding Rukia in his arm, and Tatsuki and Orihime follow from behind.

"Let me go, Renji! If we don't help Ichigo-"

"Ichigo's going to be fine!" Renji snapped at Rukia, "I mean, why wouldn't she?! She beat Ikkaku-san and Yumichika-san, she beat me, she beat Kyouraku-san-- Well, not exactly, she broke his Shikai, and now she has a Bankai! What I'm saying is, don't you see her remarkable track record by just being a few days here?! I bet my two years' worth of salary that she's going to beat your brother's ass!"

"Yeah! She's going to beat your brother up real good!" Orihime suddenly piped up from behind, "Uh, no offense, hehe."

 

Rukia widened her eyes, Ichigo has a Bankai. Not even a year she becomes a Soul Reaper and already learned Bankai. While she had worked for a hundred years, entering the academy, with trial and tribulation. That is so unfair... But the moment they get to know each other, she knew Ichigo was hiding secrets. She never said anything about being good at fighting, simply proving her capabilities through her actions.

Perhaps Ichigo was more than the spiritually aware human teenager she is... What was it that she refer herself to when the first time they met?

 

 

"You! How did you-? What are you?" Rukia blinked in confusion at the display of healing Kidō.

"... A local Magus."

 

 

"... Where exactly are we going?" Rukia questioned.

"Kuchiki manor," Tatsuki replied," Kasuga-san will provide the Senkaimon from there to bring you to Karakura. Hopefully, we can reach Urahara-san after that." 

"Kasuga Baa-sama is involved in this? How?! Do Ginrei Jii-sama know about this?" Rukia paused and gasped, "Do Nii-sama know about this?!"

"Yeaaah, about that we do meet Ginrei-san but he walked away as if he saw nothing," Renji had a feeling that moment happened a lot between the brother and sister, "And no, your brother doesn't know about this, why do you think Ichigo is fighting him? I think she will at least try to 'recruit' him in the process so he doesn't get the hardest fallout in this conspiracy," 

"Conspiracy?"

"It's Captain Aizen, it seems he was the one setting you up to be executed."

"Why?"

"This is a theory Ichigo, he wanted something that resided within you."

"Ichigo never told us about this," Tatsuki frowned, glancing at Orihime who also nodded in confirmation Ichigo seems to never talk about it either.

Renji sighed, "I don't get it either. It was after you guys left, she pulled me aside, whispering as if so Yoruichi couldn't hear it, and you bet that she was vague about it. I asked, what exactly is inside Rukia's body, and she said she doesn't know either, but it was dangerous."

"What? Like a bomb?" Rukia automatically checked her body.

Renji shrugged, "As I said, she was vague about it."

 


 

The air suddenly gets hotter. Ichigo suspected that it belonged to the Captain-Commander because near it was Kyouraku and Ukitake's Reiatsu. This is quite interesting, to say the least, because nothing can affect temperature spontaneously unless they have some sort of Elemental trait.

Oh! His Zanpakutou can control fire-- Woops!

Ichigo ducked down when Byakuya was trying to shank her head off. She sighed, he still refused to go all out. Let me guess, underestimating me, or does not deserve to be killed by his Shikai?

She is almost offended, to be honest. Here he said he was going to kill her and this is what he did, by playing around? 

"Interesting, you were able to master Shunpo as well." 

Ichigo spluttered and give Byakuya a look of utter disbelief.

 

Oh my God, is he initiating an idle chit-chat now? Commenting on my Shunpo?!

 

Shunpo is what the Soul Reaper referred to as their footwork technique 'that made Earth literally flat'. There are many iterations throughout human history or simply stories that no one knows whether it is true or not. Not for Ichigo though, all martial artist Servants know it and it is quite different from jumping from another spot to another spot by using notable strength that they acquired by becoming a Servant.

It does require good stamina on the legs and she needed a good build-up. Being the only able-bodied Master present, Ichigo was drilled to jog with Atlanta all day until she figured out how her running turned into gliding. All the Rider Servants thought it will be fun to cheer her on while riding bicycles when she was running out of breath, shouting words of encouragement with a megaphone. 

(Mainly, it was Achilles. That freaking asshole.)

For footwork coordination, Li Shuwen arranged a field of bamboo and she was told to practice walking. Walking not tip-toeing. If she was caught tip-toeing he will poke her with his tiny bamboo stick and destroy her long-earned balance.

This was followed by the lesson on how to manipulate her 'chi' into her legs but usually, this collaborated with her hand-to-hand combat training.

 

What is Byakuya planning? Tiring her out? Not even a single display of Kidō was thrown at her! If this is his tactic then bad news for him, Ichigo can do this all day!

Oh, perhaps he wanted to annoy me like this. Who knows, maybe this man who was named after the cloud by his dad does have a playful side!

Well, Ichigo can be more annoying if she wants to be. That is why she decided to sheath her sword and plopped down to the ground, crossing her legs leisurely.

.

.

.

Byakuya's eyes left eye twitched.

.

.

"... What are you doing?" 

"What is it look like? Sitting down, duh! You said you wanted to kill me, and yet you did exactly the opposite of that. Renji and Kyouraku-san did a better job at trying to kill me than you!" Ichigo then made a flap motion with both of her hands, giving the manner of 'shooing' at Rukia's older brother, "Go after Rukia if you want. She is probably already far away from here. Whatever, it's a win-win situation for me!"

Finally, Byakuya entered a state of agitation.

 

"Chire! Senbonzakura!"

 

"Shinten!"

 

A thrust sword technique was applied and a condensed blue wave of energy flies forward, destroying the brittle blade-shaped cherry blossom, and the ground between Ichigo and Byakuya is now sporting a cleanly sliced crevice as if it was made of butter.

Ichigo smirked, and twirled her sword casually before resting it on her shoulder, "There was that so hard? Are you starting to get serious now?"

Byakuya's left hand is caught by the attack, blood dripping from it, "Was that flash of light...the ability of your Zanpakutou?"

"The Zanpakutou absorbed my spiritual energies, then released a condensed wave at the tip of the blade, magnifying the slash attack," Ichigo cannot believe that the day she gave her opponent exposition had come, "I suppose, yeah. You can say it's the ability of my Zanpakutou."

"Quaking the Heaven? What an arrogant name." 

Ichigo chuckled much to Byakuya's irritation. If Shinten is arrogant then what about the other names? Blasphemy? Then again, it is only half of what she can do.

"Then I shall be arrogant all day if that is what it takes for you to fight me with your Bankai. I want to see if it's can ensure my death." 

"Be careful in your choice of words. You sound as if you have acquired Bankai."

Keep riling him up is the key. Ichigo put up her forefinger in the air and wiggle it to the left and right, "Tsk, tsk. As a matter of fact, I do have a Bankai. I specifically prepared it for this day! You should be flattered!" 

"You insolent-" Byakuya did not even have the time to react when he felt a subtle nick on the skin of his throat, a blade pointed at his jugular. How is this possible...? I didn't see her-

"Do it Byakuya or you'll bleed to death," Ichigo taunted, letting the tip of her blade press further onto his skin, not yet cutting it, "Prove that you can kill me. You promised it. Right?"

 

Byakuya's anger rose in his very being. How dare this Ryoka gallivanting around Soul Society, fighting their forces left and right, and boldly claim she had a Bankai. Is she trying to prove herself as the strongest Soul Reaper that ever exists? The power she achieved was by draining Rukia's power and she is not even a real Soul Reaper! How dare she speak of Bankai with such ease?!

The nerve of this wench! 

Byakuya swatted Ichigo's sword from his vicinity and positioned his sword, "Very well. Witness it with your eyes and remember it well," And let it go as it sinks to the ground.

A parade of swords rose from the ground.

 

"Be rendered into dust in front of me. Bankai..."

 

"Senbonzakura Kageyoshi."

 

The parade turns into a flourishing storm of cherry blossoms.

A very, very, sharp storm of cherry blossoms.

 

Ichigo raised one of her eyebrows seeing it. Huh? Isn't this just Tenkienma?

She jumps away as a barrage of petals tried to eviscerate her. Ignoring the comment naive said by Byakuya, she sent an energy blast at him, the petals quickly forming into a shield in front of him. It was a game of cat and mouse, she got slashed left and right while Byakuya never budge from his place, merely conducting the movement of his weapon with a sway of his hand.

At some point, the barrage manages to pin her down to the ground.

 

"It's impossible to dodge Senbonzakura's attack using such a slow technique," Byakuya said to the bleeding Ichigo who was on her knees.

 

She is holding her body up with her sword, only to shock him when she lifted her head and sends a smile at him, as if not feeling any pain. She steadily stands upright and brandished her weapon in the face of their adversaries.

 

Byakuya sees the steel of Ichigo's blade blackening and senses the rise of immense Reiatsu. The strength is almost at the level of... A captain?!

 

Ichigo breathed the word, "Bankai."

 

A swirl of wild blue Reiatsu is swirling around the battle stage, it is also created a humongous blast that Byakuya has to protect himself from it by letting Senbonzakura covers him.

 

When the dust settled, there stand Ichigo Kurosaki with an altered Soul Reaper uniform; it is a black Resshi with a flounce sleeve, showing the red with gold accented vambraces covering the arms, on the abdomen is protective gear as fabrics of black and red underlay sprouting at four sides, black hakama, and steel-plated shoes. The plate around the neck means she is wearing an under-armor beneath the clothes. Finally, an abbreviated-looking thin black daitō, tsuba shaped the kanji for 'End' inside a circlet, and a blue sageo tied into a flower knot at the end of the pommel.

 

"Tenshūsoku Dakugyouten."

 

That's a thin sword is her Bankai? Byakuya thought maybe there was an underlying meaning in his enemy Bankai, "Isn't that just your normal Zanpakutou?" 

 

Ichigo smiled way too wide for anyone's composure. She let her sword fall the same way as Byakuya did when releasing his Bankai, as the tip of the blade touched the surface of the dirt, a huge fracture was created like there is a recent earthquake, and she grabbed it before it caved into the ground, resting it on her shoulder.

Here I go.

She holds her sword with two hands, bringing it up above, and descending it down in a steady tempo making Byakuya roll the side when a red crescent light cleaves down at the same tempo as she moved her sword. There was a streak of horror in her opponent's eyes as she easily dispersed the barrage of petals and literally cleft the earth.

 

"Y-Your Bankai... That wasn't just a normal condensed spiritual energy...!"

Ichigo flailed her hand dismissively, "You're right, why though? Don't worry about it, you'll get bored with the metaphor."

"You...is it fun for you to trample on our pride?!" Byakuya sneered.

Buddy, chill out a bit.

Ichigo lightly shakes her head, resigned. When she finds Sōjun, she will bring him all the things he liked and sit in front of it, to tell him about the fieldwork she went through with his son.

"In case you didn't notice Byakuya Kuchiki, I'm supposed to be a snotty brat who knows nothing about your world, do forgive me if I sounded juvenile." She bent low to an iai stance, "Then it's settled, we're done playing around, aren't we?"

Byakuya took a sharp breath of surprise when Ichigo suddenly is in front of him, sword held up high ready to cut him. He willed a sword to his hand to block the attack and the moment it connect, his knees immediately touches the ground, caving it, in fact. In a slight, his opponent's Bankai does not look much, it is as if she simply gained a suit of armor and a blackened sword. However, he can feel something is not right, there is something more to this Bankai.

He can sense something omnipresent lurking around him, each time she strikes it feels like something breathing lazily, each time she maims it feels like being observed, but he cannot put what the present is supposed to be. 

All of what Ichigo Kurosaki did is not new anymore and somehow he needed twice as much effort to counter her attacks.

 

"Your Bankai..." Byakuya gritted out, "Is amplifying your techniques." 

"Yes."

"Is that what your Bankai do?"

"No. You are completely missing the point. Besides," Ichigo dodged several swords thrown at her while twirling her black daito, it elongated until it became a black spear, "That is one of the few things that I expect when people see my Bankai."

Or should I say Bankai in parentheses, derogatory.

Byakuya sees Ichigo throwing her spear at him he can practically smell how dangerous that attack is and he quickly gathered Senbonzakura's petal swords in front of him to block the flying weapon's advance.

He can feel it within the spear's advance, like a maw of a beast intending to devour him.

What...is this...?

 

At that moment, he sees it, imagery of a humongous wing shrouding his vision from the sky.

 

...?!

 

Byakuya's defense is broken, his shoulder shredded by the onyx spear that is passing through. He can hear a loud explosion behind him, courtesy of the spear landing on the ground.

Danger.

All of a sudden all of his senses screamed at him.

 

"...Senkei. Senbonzakura Kageyoshi!"

 

Ichigo watched as Byakuya splattered his blood on the ground and turns into spiritual energy, mixing with the tiny blades of his Bankai. This unites the scattered petals into complete glowing swords, numbering in the thousands, which form four rows. These rows float just above each other and circle around Byakuya and his opponent in a continuously moving, column-like array; caging her inside a slaughter dome.

"These thousand swords will not strike you altogether, I swore that this Senkei would only be shown to the person I personally wished to slay."

So... Unlimited Blade Works?

Ichigo suppressed the urge to whistle. Ah, the mentality of someone who saw too many Noble Phantasm, poor her enemies, it was supposed to be menacing but she is way too unhinged. 

"You are the second person to witness this."

"I'm honored, truly I am... However, save your strength for the greater battle, Byakuya," Ichigo put her forefinger in front of her mouth, : Ishida lit the fuse!: She mentally signaled, "But the one you should slaughter...is not me!" 

 

Uryuu took a red crystalline arrow and shot it at an arrangement of seals that Ganju prepared last night on Soukyoku hill.

 

There was a loud boom and it kept going continuously.

 

When Byakuya tries to gain his composure from the quakes caused by the explosion, he can feel the ground starting to go down, slowly descending, and his view is tilting. Then the very descending slab shifted into a sea of sands. His feet sank into the coarse surface.

Ichigo tackled him by the waist as the ground becomes nonexistent and Byakuya's Senkei simmered away. She quickly activates the flying device given by Youichi and flies as fast as she can, barely avoiding the falling execution pole.

Ah, crap.

It seems she put too much Reiatsu on the device. Descending awkwardly from the sudden break from the speed Ichigo and Byakuya tumbled and rolled on a hidden alleyway, sprawled free without care on the ground.

"Okay, let's not do that again," Ichigo grunted in pain and rested by the wall. You see that, Sōjun-san! I took your son for his first maiden flight! 

If one should get angry about why a portion of the hill disappeared it will be the Captain-Commander, who certainly will blow a fuse when seeing the damage cost. His two mentees, Kyouraku and Ukitake warned her about that, but hey, street smart.

"Why did you do that?" Byakuya asked. His anger faded after experiencing all of that and choosing to gaze at the sky in his reclining position.

"This."

Byakuya glanced at Ichigo's fist which she opened to reveal dead flies.

"These are surveillance cameras, I need to create an accident to get away before he can deploy another set. We can hide in this alley for a little while."

"By destroying the Soukyoku hill?"

"If you were on our side from the start then maybe you can come up with a better idea." Ichigo pursued her lip in annoyance when he heard Byakuya's pointed tone in his question. Your son is not aloof Sōjun-san, he's a piece of shit.

 

She is starting to wonder why she keeping him alive.

 

"Murder is bad." Fray drawled.

Yeah, yeah. No need to state the obvious.

 

"You said they were surveillance cameras, who were watching us?"

"Popular opinion, apparently some guy named Aizen."

"Captain Aizen is dead."

"Apparently he's not. Because when people saw his body pinned on the wall, practically bled out, I was the only one who saw nothing. Why did I see nothing? Turns out, after all this time his Zanpakutou is not a water type but an illusion type, and if you ever see his Shikai once, you're eternally under the illusion. Anyway, that's what Yoruichi-san told me, I never met the guy myself." 

Byakuya starts to get up from his position, "So you think this execution is his doing?"

"I do find it's strange that Rukia was executed for giving me her power when she herself confused why her own power is not recovering." Ichigo came over to Byakuya and take a look at his bleeding shoulder, she place her hand on the wound and started healing it, ignoring the surprised look from him for being able to use 'healing Kidō', whatever they call regenerative spell around here, "... There's something inside Rukia's body that forbids her power to recover. I'm here because I was trying to clear things out, which turned into a rescue mission when I got the news she was going to be executed. But I guess Seiretei won't listen to a mere human, so the fight is inevitable..." Ichigo let out a deep sigh, "What I mean to say is your sister is innocent, Byakuya, she was just doing her job."

"In the light of rules, personal feelings have no value, something as useless as emotions... I had never had them to begin with. The Kuchiki Clan is one of the Four Noble families, we are the role models for all Soul Reapers. If we do not obey the rules. Who will?" 

"You have a point, Nobles are noble because they're noble, possessing fine personal qualities or high moral principles and ideals but when people are dying left or right when some egomaniac orchestrating people's fate, screwing your country's foundation, then rules be damned. You have to realize that knowing better to prevent a greater danger from deception is the perfect role model for your subordinates and the new generation of Soul Reapers."

Ichigo received no answer from Byakuya, so she lifted her head only to see the man staring at her with an unreadable expression.

"You are...a strange person, Ichigo Kurosaki."

Ichigo chuckled, "I've heard worse compliments."

Byakuya remembered Renji's words, You don't have time to interact with your subordinates, so I'm not expecting you to know any better. He know he was no Kaien Shiba who was an idol to his men and Rukia idolized him, not him. Even so, has he been that detached that it affected his own family?

"Back then, you asked me what is the purpose of this fight. You see it don't you, how pointless it is."

Ichigo is done patching up Byakuya, giving him a friendly pat on the shoulder, "Sort of. Anyway, don't be so hard on yourself, it's a pleasure to be able to fight you. We can exchange our strongest blow on another occasion."

"I prefer not, I'm no Kenpachi Zaraki."

"If you're Kenpachi, there'll be no another occasion."

"That's also true." No, I'd say you won this fight. Byakuya mused as finally got up and crick his neck in the process.

Ichigo rolled her eyes fondly and felt a tug on her head, a sign of the incoming message through the telepathic Kidō. In the next few seconds, she proceed to widen her eyes in shock at what she heard.

"What?! Wait, I'll connect Byakuya, he needed to hear this too!"

Byakuya suddenly felt a tug on his head and what he heard is Captain Tōshirō Hitsugaya's harried voice.

: Kuchiki! All the members of Central 46 are dead! Not only that, they've been dead for a long time!:

They were dead? Since when? Then all orders from the Central about the execution are all...

: This is all a farce concocted by Aizen and Ichimaru! They're in this together!:

 

"... I must say I'm pleased to hear that we have one more captain on our side," Ichigo hummed uncomfortably. She has a bad feeling about this, "Though, I don't think it's going to be much of a chance in the situation."

 


 

It goes like this.

 

As Sentarou managed to track Captain Hitsugaya and his lieutenant, Rangiku Matsumoto, he directly instructed Kiyone to connect the Kidō link to them. The reason why they can finally follow them is that the two leading members of the Tenth Division broke the seal of Central 46's doorstep. Tōshirō and Matsumoto were at first surprised by the telepathic Kidō but he quickly explain himself.

Tōshirō has a suspicion about the execution itself, he wanted to question the politician, only to find corpses littered in the judging hall. They were killed from where they sat, bodies never leave their workplace. They saw Kira, the Third Division said some weird things about how he got there, and the Central which makes no sense since they were dead, how can they let him in? Tōshirō ordered Matsumoto to handle him for he had more important things to do, Kira said Hinamori had been following him.

Hinamori was on a sickbed at the Tenth Division since Tōshirō knock her out as she became deranged thinking he was the one who killed Aizen the night he went to confront Gin.

Unfortunately, Tōshirō kept this to himself. If only he had joined the rebel team, he would have been informed of the suspected Aizen, he thought it was only Gin Ichimaru but turns out it was both of them. Sousuke Aizen...alive, and Hinamori lay unconscious on his feet.

Hinamori...is she-is she dead-?!

He then told what he saw to Kiyone who relayed it to Ichigo and Byakuya. 

"Pardon me. It wasn't my intention to traumatize you. Before you could have noticed I should've chopped her into unrecognizable pieces."

Aizen's words echoed in Tōshirō 's ears, "You two...since when you two...?"

"Hmm? From the very beginning. You see, since I became a captain there wasn't a single moment that I thought of anybody but Gin as my lieutenant," Aizen said with that streak of amusement on his face, "It wasn't my intention to deceive, it's just that out all of you there wasn't a single person who could see my true face."

His true face?!

"Hinamori, me, all of your subordinates, and your comrades... To everybody... You deceived us all?!" Toushirou now faces Aizen in the eyes, "Hinamori admired you! because of you, she joined the Gotei 13, she worked hard to be a lieutenant just so she can work under you!"

"I know. There's nothing easier to control than those people who revered you, that's why I nominated her as my subordinate. You should learn this well, Captain Hitsugaya. Admiration is a feeling furthest away from understanding." 

A burst of icy Reiatsu covered the whole enclave of Central 46's residential district, the Seijōtōkyorin, into an ice lair.

"BANKAI! DAIGUREN HYOURINMARU!" Tōshirō glared hatefully at the traitors, "Aizen, I'm going to kill you!"

"Don't use such strong words," Aizen mockingly said, "They make our weakness that much more apparent."

Tōshirō loses the use of his whole sword arm, his blood spraying to his face, and one side of the draconic ice structure of Daiguren Hyourinmaru is destroyed. Aizen had cut him down effortlessly and all he can do is slump on the ground while suffering blood loss.

"What a sight, it's the wrong season but I don't mind seeing ice at this time of year," Aizen revel the hall of ice before him, "Let's go Gin."

"I thought you would be here, Captain Aizen -No after what I witnessed I shouldn't call you a captain anymore, Sousuke Aizen, the high traitor," Unohana did not like this, in her criteria she was late to save Toshirou. : Everyone, Captain Hitsugaya is down, I'll see what I can do to stop Aizen and Ichimaru, if not stalling what he is going to do.:

"Captain Unohana, what a surprise," Aizen said, not surprised at all, "Your arrival is not unexpected, was it that easy to unravel?"

"The Seijōtōkyorin is the only place that is suited for you to carry out your plan, after you faked your death you need to conceal yourself, so much so that you created a well-made corpse-doll for it. That was your plan at least, wasn't it?"

"Not quite, you got two things wrong. First of all, I didn't need to hide from anyone. Second, this is not a corpse-doll," As a magician with their trick, Aizen suddenly holds up his supposed corpse-doll, as if he took it out from nowhere, "I've been holding it the whole time, you just weren't able to see it, that because I didn't allow you to see it until now. Shatter, Kyōka Suigetsu," A normal katana then was in his hand as he drop it, "This is the ability of my Zanpakutou, Kanzen Saimin -A complete hypnosis."

 


 

Unohana broadcasted the traitor's word by repeating it.

Complete hypnosis? Ichigo mulled over the information. Usually, a trained hypnotist induces a state of intense concentration or focused attention. This is a guided process with verbal cues and repetition. The trance-like state you enter may appear similar to sleep in many ways, but people are usually aware of what is going on. 

Her only example of illusionary workmanship was Merlin's illusion magic, which is able to fool all five senses, and in his caliber, it is not about awareness; it is about dreams and reality.

So is this Aizen illusion that absolute?

 

"How is Aizen able to affect all of you?" Ichigo frowned.

"He showed...his Shikai, willingly in front of all of us." Byakuya growled lowly, "And he often gave a demonstration to academy students of how Shikai works."

 

Oh great, turns out the whole Seireitei is under his illusion. There is now way a bunch of outsiders who never saw the execution of Aizen's Shikai is this damn Soul dwelling-city only hope! It all makes sense why Ichigo merely saw a sword embedded on a wall on the day of Aizen's 'murder'. 

The rebel team does have a backup plan, but all of them are rendered useless since the situation is like this. Fighting these traitors are inevitable.

: Ichigo! It's Captain Tōsen, he-: Renji's voice got cut off, : What the- We're at the Soukyoku again?!:

: Ichigo-san got Abarai-san, Kuchiki-san, and Arisawa-san! Inoue-san and I have light injuries!: Hanatarou reported.

Kaname Tōsen, the only blind captain in the Gotei 13 who is practically immune to Aizen's Shikai because he cannot literally see it, is one Aizen side. Perfect. Cannot get anything better. Kenpachi did not deal with him hard enough apparently.

Since Hanatarou and Orihime are at the most further back when running to the Kuchiki manor when the upper part of the sewer abruptly falls off as Tōsen used Sentan Hakuja, a teleporting Kidō, at his targets, Tatsuki most likely was not intended to get pulled in either.

: Whoever is closest enough to Renji and Rukia, go help them! If only we can make Sensei listen!: Ukitake sounded very frustrated.

"We're not going to make it in time! Why are these guys choose the highest point in this city anyway? Didn't we destroy it hard enough so no one can use the execution platform?!" Ichigo clicked her tongue and ran her hand through her hair, "Byakuya, we're going to fly again. Are you still in your Bankai?"

"I can activate it again. I assume you have a plan?"

Byakuya then realized something...off. Ichigo is still in her Bankai attire for at least more than forty minutes. How can she maintain such a form for a long time?

"More like an improvisation," Ichigo grabbed Rukia's brother by the waist and activated the flying device, : All of you listen to me! Chad, you are right under the hill, find the pieces of the execution pole, you're going to need it! Ishida you're going to use all of the arrows, distract them! Tatsuki, guard Rukia! Orihime, get out of the sewer and find a view where you can see the Soukyoku from the side!: 

: Right!: They chorused.

: Renji! No matter how you do it, you need to get to the end side of the hill!:

 


 

The end side of the hill... Technically it is easy to do it since Renji only needs to back off if only he were not surrounded by three powerful captains who can easily kill him. Tatsuki is beside him but she cannot do anything when sensing the huge power differences, making her hesitate to attack. 

"I refuse Captain Aizen, I won't give Rukia to you," Renji gritted his teeth, : Ichigo, I don't think I can do it. Also, they can crush Tatsuki by spiritual pressure alone!:

"Very well, then," Aizen stopping Gin from using his Zanpakutou, "You're so stubborn Abarai-kun, I have no choice-"

Aizen stopped in his tracks when a rain of arrows exploded in an array of fire, lightning, and ice. A long pole of wood flew up in the air and was next to fall, before it touched the ground, in instinct, Tatsuki kicked the gigantic pole toward the three captains. She grabbed Renji in the back of his collar, using the strength of her leg to dash to the end of the hill, which had already been cut down beforehand with Ganju's Kidō.

: Orihime, do it!:

Ichigo commanded as she sees from afar that the group manages to get to the end side of the hill.

 

From far away, Orihime fired Tsubaki with all of the power she have. The lone fairy speed flew at high speed, leaving a trail of orange string, and hit the side of the Soukyoku hill. At first, nothing seems to happen.

"Koten Zanshun, I reject."

The orange string immediately became a thin translucent in the shape of resonance that sliced a good chunk of the hill. Renji, Rukia, and Tatsuki descend like the day they fall from the Senzaikyuu bridge.

 

"REALLY? AGAIN?!" Renji, Rukia, and Tatsuki shouted.

"CAN YOU BLAME ME, I'M IMPROVISING!" Ichigo defended as she and Byakuya landed on the falling chunk of a hill.

"NII-SAMA, YOU'RE HERE?!" Rukia was surprised when seeing her brother.

"DON'T WORRY! HE'S NOT GOING TO KILL YOU! I FIXED HIM!" Ichigo got a dirty look from Byakuya at that remark.

 

Also, why are they yelling?!

 

Because the wind is too loud!

 

Everyone simultaneously gets out of the way when an elongated sword pierces the surface of the falling dirt.

Ichigo knows this Shikai, is the one who cut Jidanbou's arm off. It's the Foxface!

The silver-haired man smiled as he slowly got closer to her, what a clever way to use his Zanpakutou abilities, hook and sink, like fishing.

Ichigo decided to face him one-on-one.

 

"NICE TO MEETCHA, ICHIGO KUROSAKI!"

"FUCK OFF, FOXFACE!"

 

Their swords crossed and the falling hill they are on loses its very structure as the two spiritual pressures collide with each other.

 

Aizen crouched at the edge of the Soukyoku, looking down, and chuckled.

"Aizen-sama?" Tōsen inquired, sounding almost worried.

"It's alright Tōsen," Aizen took off his glasses, "I guess it wouldn't be boring after all."

 

Notes:

Hissatsuken: Shinten (Deadly Sword-Quaking Heaven) - 300 Potency / Single Target / Consumes 25 Kenki (Samurai Lvl 62 Ability)
Tenkienma is one of Suzuka Gozen's Noble Phantasm.

Tenshūsoku Dakugyouten (天収束抱く暁天, Heavens Convergence, Embrace The Dawn): Why not Tensa Zangetsu? I don't know, spoilers.
天 'Heavens, 収束 'Convergence, 抱く 'Embrace, although in this kanji the type of embrace is far more intimate, 暁天 'Dawn, daybreak (This is also a Samurai gap closer ability in FFXIV).

Chapter 28: Those Who Fight For Naught

Summary:

"You are deaf to the sins of this world."
"You are the worst person I met in Soul Society."

Notes:

AYO WHO'S GOT WRECKED BY ENDWALKER HAHAHAHA...hahaha...aha...(starts sobbing again)...there's (sobs)...dust in my eyes!!!!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Gin was known to be a genius, a degree that is soon to be infamous once he is out of Soul Society. He managed to graduate in a matter of a year from Shin'ō Academy, and not long after, served as a Third Seat of the Fifth Division, not by hard work but by murder, he killed said Third Seat to impress Aizen. Nobody liked that Third Seat anyway, he always thought he was helping Aizen get rid of the guy before the latter got the time to do the deed himself.

Then at some point, he was made captain simultaneously with Byakuya Kuchiki.

 

Being a genius is cool and all, however, it is meaningless for him. It does not matter whether they were born from the nobility or came from the Rukongai, people only marvel at what they want to see.

 

What is the point of all this? Well, Gin had watched Ichigo Kurosaki grow up since the day she was born. He watches her growing as normal as she can be with the ability being able to see the dead and by having that bewildering lineage of being the spawn of a union between a Soul Reaper and a Quincy.

The progress of her latent ability is remarkable.

Such as the sentence uttered by Aizen as they watch each of her fights from the screen in their secret hideout.

True to his words as Ichigo is not a reckless fighter. Gin was thrown off by the exemplary display of swordsmanship, and it was not in the style of Shin'ō Academy's standard. The most plausible candidates for who has been teaching her are two: Kisuke Urahara or Isshin Shiba; the first one was because the man is Aizen's counter, in terms of chess when Aizen moves his piece, it is only obvious the other one gave his moves, their longtime game is the cause of this whole current event. Isshin, while the man is Ichigo's father, must have been training his daughter to fight except Gin knows that the former captain of the Tenth Division was no such person...

But...

Does waking your daughter in such an extreme way every morning count as training?

Gin knows he is the bad guy right here and he had no parental figure growing up but barging in toward their children's room like that...is it not that a privacy violation? Especially when their daughter is going to be a grown woman?

Oh well, it is not his place to judge nor does he have the right to interfere.

Yoruichi Shihouin and Tessai Tsukabishi are not known for their swordsmanship but they definitely have their roles. Could it be the other exiles? No, the camera flies never picked them out. The time frame does not match if they decided to train her since young and the data would have been different.

Ichigo Kurosaki's growth of martial skills, which is almost non-existent to a master, is unexplainable. Street fighting does not count and besides, that is not the point, there is an unknown variable that even Aizen himself cannot figure out.

If Gin wanted to compare Ichigo's skills to that of her friends, is a literal hundred years gap. The girl is a marvel on her own, yes. But if a genius can be born out of one in a thousand people and that one is Gin and Ichigo then what was the point? If there are five thousand people then there are five geniuses; maybe more, maybe less.

So Gin thought perhaps geniuses are not that special.

It is Nature's will.

 

(Deep down Gin wanted to be proven wrong.)

 

Gin and Ichigo's swords let out sparks as they fell to the ground, the rubble of rocks created thick dust, and numerous figures sprung out from it. Ichigo stands guard at the front, followed by Byakuya and Tatsuki, Renji is at the far back, holding Rukia securely in his hand.

Gin stands at the other side of the field, face plastered with his trademark foxy smile, "Say, if ya' kind enough to indulge me, what was that spell that ya' shot at me back then?" 

"... Sho."

Ichigo had read Urahara's old academy books so it was credible enough why she lied this way. It can be Soul Reaper's version of Gandr if one can develop it to decrease the physical health of the target. However this is straying from the understanding of Gandr for it is a Rune Magecraft, not just a simple shooting spell.

"Is it? I don't remember Sho can freeze someone for a few seconds," Gin said playfully, "Can ya' show me yer' so-called Sho?"

"Shoo."

"Awww, ya' so mean," Gin whined, puckering his lip childishly.

If Ichigo is still a naïve teen with no experience she would have jumped toward Gin in anger for initiating an idle chit-chat, not to mention the chit-chat is baiting her to be reminded at 'back then' was when he cut off Jidanbo's arm. Get railed up and screaming profanities at him for hurting your friend...literally.

Tatsuki was snared, and Ichigo could hear her friend gritting her teeth at the implications.

Oh, well, she's young, she'll learn--Huh?!

 

Mist. Reflect. Suffocate.

 

She felt it, and the atmosphere went haywire.

 

Mist. Reflect. Suffocate.

 

Her sixth sense acting up trying to tell her something. Now that Ichigo remembered, Merlin was almost the same with his display of illusions.

 

(Bloom. Blink. Mesmerize...)

 

She narrowed her eyes at the brunette man with glasses who appeared in front of her. The man of the hour... Aizen.

 

Ichigo can hear Tatsuki having difficulty breathing, Renji is covering Rukia with the overwhelming pressure and he has difficulty standing up. Only she and Byakuya manage to stand up perfectly without any problem, though they would not lie if the pressure does as if trying to squish them. 

 

To be fair, Ichigo had a lot of firsthand experience of monstrous spiritual power.

 

Most Heroic Spirits from the Age of Gods have it as equal to their prowess and also one of the many reasons why those who were originally normal people then become superhuman when summoned by the Grail.

According to the Heroics Spirits, there were a lot of demigods but if they had no particular interest as a warrior or were simply born in a particularly peaceful place or time and no 'funny hand of Fate' trying to toy with them then they were no different than regular people living their daily life, not all of them are marked into myth and saga.

God knows why that one random kid in a small village can lift a huge boulder or control the wind. Maybe they do have small adventures that bards often recite, bedtime stories that became fairytales, and some tales just simply lost in time, left uncovered, vague in memory.

But they are still demigods.

And this Aizen bloke does have a Reiatsu equal to that of a demigod.

Of course, a normal human can achieve such caliber, just look at Hector; human, and yet his spiritual pressure is massive, on par with his demigod's adversaries back at the Trojan War...and Ichigo thought of him as this tired uncle at a barbecue party.

Still...human or demigod, or in Soul Society's rule, soul; What kind of enemy are you going to be Mr. Aizen?

 

Magic has no moral.

Intelligence has no morals.

Power has no morals.

 

In a way, no matter how great one spiritual power is, they are not inherently good or evil, it is the person who wields them who is responsible. 

 

"Captain Aizen- No, I suppose you have no right to be referred with such a position, same with Ichimaru and Tōsen." Byakuya's voice is as calm as it is laced with silent fury.

The main perpetrator of the whole event smiled.

Ichigo feels disgusted, the man has the smile of someone who thinks that he owns the world. Something within him is ill-begotten, and it was obtained by exploiting what was best in people who trust him...Trusted him, to be exact, considering that they are not alive anymore for doing it.

 

Then she heard them. Whispers. Voices latch on to Aizen in the form of despair, anger, and sadness.

 

Ichigo is lost in words, almost refusing to believe these whispers-- that these are--... Souls! Seventh Hells! What have you done...?!

Aizen turned to her with his fake smile and she instantly brought up her blade in defense.

She swore he was smirking too.

 

"I'm afraid I'm behind schedule. If Abarai-kun would be so kind to hand over Rukia Kuchiki to me," Aizen's voice was alarmingly gentle.

Renji gritted his teeth hard, "After all you've done, do you think I would've handed her over? I refuse to heed an order from a bastard like you!"

"Very well, leave your arm here and step aside."

It was swift, no one saw when Aizen took out his sword or even swung it, and it came straight toward Renji as if forgetting that Byakuya and Ichigo were ever there. Renji almost lurches forward without thinking with Zabimaru and Rukia still on his arm only to find Ichigo beat him to it when she lifted her hand towards Aizen as if trying to block with her bare hand.

Eihwaz!

The sonic wave Aizen sent with his Zanpakutou hit an invisible barrier as the effect diminished, gushing a harmless wind in every direction.

Cú Chulainn Caster's trick back in Fuyuki, Ichigo never forgot it. She then hastily walked toward Tatsuki who was heaving this whole time, holding her by the shoulder, "Steady Tatsuki, take a deep breath."

"I can't-" Tatsuki coughed, "The air--it's--!"

 

Ichigo tapped Tatsuki's forehead lightly and caught the slumbering body of her friend.

She will come back to Karakura Town with all of her friends.

Alive. 

 

"I have never seen such manner of an invisible protective spell before. Not to mention you've been in a state of Bankai for half an hour. I dare say, you're quite fascinating." Aizen commented. With a pair of sharp ears, judging by his tone, you can know that he is amused, "Set your friend in slumber is very honorable. I'm sorry for the hindrance, after all, it's quite difficult to control one's strength while stepping on an ant without killing it."

Someone like Aizen, who had a way to play with words, is unpredictable whether it is an insult or a compliment. If Ichigo felt angry at it, she feared that it was an attempt to rail her up, yet there was some truth in Aizen's words; Tatsuki is nothing but an ant to him and she would get pulverized.

This is one of the many fears when her friends present themselves to help her in this endeavor to save Rukia, they were no Servants, not jaded like her, and with that, the burden of their lives rests on her.

"Aizen wasn't it? Can you tell me exactly why I end up here?" Ichigo laid Tatsuki gently on the ground and looked at her enemy's face directly, "Why did I end up in this very moment where I stand, where we stand!"

Aizen blinked like he was not expecting such a question, then smiled again, finally gaining an understanding of the meaning behind the words.

"Because Kisuke Urahara ordered you to retrieve Rukia Kuchiki," Aizen said his piece as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Retrieve what exactly?" Ichigo pressed. You know what I meant you prick!

"The Hōgyoku.

 

With that, Ichigo finally knows the name of that constant flux of energy inside Rukia. Hōgyoku. Crumbling Orb.

She felt like she needed a lot of aspirin this instant... She inwardly takes a deep breath...

 

What the fuck Kisuke! What's making you lose control of your behavior?! The moment Master Scáthach wasn't in the picture, you went way out of your comfort to create a fucking omnipotent device! By the love of God, your curiosity was really that wild huh?!

 

Because Ichigo did not only meet Sōjun Kuchiki, she also met Yoruichi, Tessai, and Kisuke, specifically, was the first person she encountered when she rayshifted to Soul Society. But it was not the current Soul Society, the Soul Society she saw back then was shrouded in despair; the sky was aflame and the ground was covered in the tar of an unknown concoction.

In that forgotten time, Scáthach takes one look at Kisuke and says, "That kid is too smart for his own good... He's going to taste his own medicine the hard way, someday."

Ichigo wanted to come back in that moment and strangle the young assassin that would become the rugged scientist, who opened a confectionary shop, that is secretly providing illegal stuff from his home world.

 

Damn you Kisuke, you and your damn brain! Yoruichi, Tessai, why didn't you stop him? I trusted you two to keep him in line! 

 

Ichigo sighed despondently.

 

I'm gonna punch him... I'm so going to punch him after this is all over!

 

"Renji, let go of Rukia, I need to talk to her," Ichigo said, abruptly turning toward the crimson head.

"What-?"

Ichigo squeezes Renji's shoulder, whispering harshly, "Trust me, there will be no easy to get out of this." 

Byakuya's eyes seem to widen in an understanding of what is going on, his expression is filled with mirth, "Renji, do it."

Renji relented with great hesitation. 

 

"Ichigo, what is going on?" Rukia was set near the slumbering figure of Tatsuki.

"We're not going to let you die. Stay here with Tatsuki. With the Hōgyoku still inside you, I cannot return Sode no Shirayuki yet. I...--Rukia, I said this again, there will be no easy to get out of this."

Oh... Rukia saw it again, the steel in Ichigo's eyes, "Okay, I understand." Rukia looked at her brother and Renji, then lastly, Ichigo, "Do what you must. I'll take care of Tatsuki."

Ichigo willed the vambrace on her right arm to disappear, revealing Merlin's intricate golden seal, and tapped the ground, letting a thin layer of energy from Avalon flow through. A golden circle circling Rukia and Tatsuki moves up to shape itself into a dome protecting them.

With that done, Ichigo once again faces her enemies, "Either we die or mortally wounded. Whatever it takes."

 

She gave a sharp nod to Byakuya. A signal for him to activate his Bankai again.

 

Byakuya let his sword sink to the ground, "Senbonzakura Kageyoshi."

 

"How very amusing, they knew they were not going to win and still continue to fight." Aizen chuckled at the display of amusement in front of him, "The difference between one speck of dust and two isn't something you can see with your eyes."

 

Cherry blossom a bit late for this season, Aizen mused. Lifting his sword to block a barrage stream of petals, seeing Byakuya and Renji's disbelief is a treat indeed, except for the Ryoka, Ichigo Kurosaki.

Oh yes, that unexpected pet project of his had turned out to be quite unexpected. How is she not surprised by him being able to block Byakuya's Bankai, he wanted to know how she can know about him being able to block such an attack, and it was almost like his presence did not surprise her. 

She does not fear him in the condescending way of a bullheaded teenager who knows nothing about evil.

She knows he is dangerous and acknowledges it.

 

Interesting. 

 

Renji tried to strike from the other side, but Aizen merely lifted his hand to block Zabimaru with his palm. Utterly futile. But these two were not something he wanted to see, what Aizen wanted to see is what Ichigo Kurosaki would do.

Tōsen suddenly moves to the left side of Aizen to block a blackish-red arrow, and unlike a Quincy that disperses or bounces somewhere else, the arrow keeps trying to fly through Tōsen's defense. At the corner of everything, Aizen saw Ichigo wielding a much more intricate black bow than her Shikai bow form.

 

Very interesting.

 

And that golden seal on her arm, now covered again with the vambrace, Aizen had never seen such a Kidō seal before. It certainly piques his curiosity.

 

Ichigo and Renji fall back to Byakuya's side and the captain still raining his blade of petals on Aizen.

"Damn it, what the Hell is he made of! Blocking a Zanpakutou like that!" Renji gritted his teeth, "And Captain Kuchiki's Bankai barely even scratched him!"

"It seems his Reiatsu is monstrous to protect him," Byakuya grunted.

I hope we didn't need a Divine Construct weapon to actually be able to injure him. Ichigo clicked her tongue, "We have to immobilize them somehow." Immobilizing Foxface and... Uh, who was the blind one? Oh yeah, Tōsen, right immobilizing those two might be easier. She looked at the vambrace and got an...idea. It is downright suicidal but it is an idea. "I have a suggestion. Let me deal with Aizen, you two go deal with Foxface and Tōsen."

"Fox-who? Oh, you mean Captain Ichimaru..." Renji then gaped, "What?! You can't be serious! You want to take on Aizen?!"

"It's downright suicide, and I doubt I can land a scratch on him. All I need to do is to hold him in a forever stalemate till everyone gets here to apprehend them."

"Just don't die needlessly," Byakuya's face is as flat as ever.

"I'm glad we're getting along so well," Ichigo smirked, "Renji, which one do you choose? Foxface or Tōsen?"

Renji has this urge to clamp Ichigo's mouth for keeps calling the captain of the Third Division 'Foxface' like she has no sense of danger at the man. Sure the guy is a traitor but even he does not have the gall to call him that, and people say he was the uncouth one from Rukongai.

"Fine, I'll go take on Captain Ichimaru."

"Excellent. Byakuya, you deal with Tōsen, and on my signal, activate your slaughter dome technique when you're ready," Ichigo twirled her weapon into a sword, and dragged it far to the back, as if she was going to launch it like a spear, "When their defense down, immediately act."

 

True to Ichigo's posture, she really did launch her sword like a spear. Directly at Aizen no less.

 

Aizen is indifferent to the flying sword that is coming toward him, simply reaching out his hand as if going to catch the sword.

 

Only for Ichigo to swiftly move her hand vertically downward to change the direction of her sword. It lands on the ground harshly in front of Aizen and his cronies; craters are formed, dust and pebbles flying at them as they instinctively shield their eyes when Byakuya follows through by sending a hailstorm of petals so harshly for further distraction.

Aizen saw from both corners of his eyes as Gin and Tōsen being swept away by Renji and Byakuya respectively, then Ichigo swept through the field to grab her sword from the ground and swing it at him downward.

Clever girl. He proceeds to catch the onyx sword directed at him with his bare hand as if it was merely a twig, "You don't think it's going to be that easy don't you," And moves his sword horizontally to cut her in the stomach.

Only to widen his eyes in surprise when Ichigo catches Kyōka Suigetsu with her free hand.

Said hand is miraculously still intact and it was adorned in a much more different-looking protective gear. It is a lean silverish-onyx gauntlet, jagged on the knuckles, scales are the base structure, and claws adorn the fingertips area. It did not however cover her whole arm, black wispy flaring at the end of the incomplete section right on the elbow.

"No," A sweat dripped down from Ichigo's chin as she was trying to win her contest of strength with Aizen, "It never was."

 

"Senkei!" Byakuya's signature slaughterscape of swords came to life trapping both friends and enemies alike.

 

Stalemate.

 

Aizen is impressed at Ichigo, brave enough to charge head-on at him, most people never even got the chance to survive. Looking at the gauntlet holding Kyōka Suigetsu, his Reiatsu cannot pierce that piece of armor. Is this her actual Zanpakutou ability? A conceptual armor? Or perhaps her Bankai...is still incomplete. Or perhaps this is her Hollow ability?

 The blade he holding is also thrumming with energy that cycles in constant flux and he would not lie about said energy is trying to burn his hand. 

"Once again you defy my expectation, Ichigo Kurosaki," Aizen smiled.

"Stalking behavior is disgusting," Ichigo scowled.

"My apologies," Aizen does not look apologetic at all, "You caught Kyōka Suigetsu. Congratulation. Did you know that it negates its illusion ability?"

"Now I know."

Aizen broke into laughter, "Indeed, silly me."

 

Ichigo is not affected by that charisma because the traces of souls cloying around Aizen is honestly much more horrifying. Good Gods. They are reaching for help, wanting an end, it was painful perceiving them. Ichigo wonders if this is Aizen's folly. His monstrous spiritual pressure drowns out the cries and wails of those Souls. As if he has a pair of deaf ears.

 

They... They keep calling his name... Repetitively... Some say it with remorse, some say it as if it is a curse, and some are just plain crying.

Then one voice caught her attention...

A woman's voice calling Aizen's name reminded Ichigo of her own mother calling her name from afar.

 

"Why the need for the Hōgyoku?" Ichigo inquired while at the same time trying to catch the woman's 'voice', or since it was perceived, it is a projection of her emotion.

"Do you know about Soul Reaper's four basic forms of combat; Zanjutsu, Hakuda, Hohō, and Kidō? They're all similar in the way they each have a limit, no matter how much innate capability you have, you can't overcome the limitation of the Soul Reaper's body. That's where the growth stops."

In a flash, Ichigo saw a tall woman in a Soul Reaper uniform with a captaincy haori. Her hair is black as night, long, and a bit uneven as spikes spring out here and there. Eyes that kind of looked like Karin's in a startling light blue, the rest of the face looked so firm and aristocratic. There is a ghastly open wound on her chest and blood painting the white fabric, she looked so alive and dead at the same time.

And...

She kind of looked like her...

 

It's cold here... Now that he's blind, deaf, cold, apathetic, and absent

 

"Is there no way to break that boundary? Is there no way to surpass your innate limitation?"

 

Aizen's voice and said woman overlap each other. Thankfully, Ichigo can interpret both just fine because of Scáthach's lesson.

 

... Don't you want to go home...with me?

 

Ichigo blinked at a vision of a stabbing scene and Aizen kept continuing his justification.

 

"There's but only one way to break it,"

 

Ichigo realizes that the projection was not a voice or emotion, but a letter. The woman must have been repeating it over and over in long years of silence.

 

Let's...go home... Together...

 

"And that is a Soul Reaper-Hollow hybrid."

 

There should be no coincidence that the woman was the strongest trace that can be perceived, there must be some kind of relationship between Aizen and her before he decided to kill her.

 

(A mother and son...?)

 

At the same time, Ichigo also tried to make sense of Aizen's lectures, and his purpose in creating the Hōgyoku.

 

So... if Zanjutsu, Hakuda, Hohō, and Kidō; these boundaries; can be surpassed. People essentially can create a new existence capable of achieving new heights (That sounds so wrong on so many levels). This concept has existed for a long time.

 

Dude, long time how? Before you were born or since the beginning?

 

Big Ol' Aizen successfully created several Hollows that are close to that of a Soul Reaper; those who can hide their spiritual pressure, make Zanpakutou disappear, and even fuse with the Soul Reaper. Yet none of them can be called a great breakthrough, other researchers are bound by stupidity and morality, and therefore none achieve said goal.

 

Haha, he called those other scientists a bunch of pussies. It shouldn't be funny...but it is. Except for Kisuke Urahara, he succeeded before Aizen even achieved it and the man's prattle is lowkey telling Ichigo that he is jealous of Kisuke's intelligence...? That is... Uh... That was actually quite sad... 

 

A substance that reacts beyond the conventional physics of Soul Society and dissolves the barrier between Hollow and Soul Reaper. Hōgyoku. Knowing the danger that it brought he tried to destroy it to no avail. Put a seal on it? Really, to a semi-sentient substance? Stupid. In desperation, he buried it within a person's soul. Rukia Kuchiki's Soul. Kisuke made a gigai of high-density spiritual matter that used to contain a recovering Soul Reaper. Usually, it was very easy to track a gigai, and yet they lost contact with the gigai. It should be impossible. Kisuke created a substance that did not contain spiritual matter and created an untraceable gigai with it.

Soul Reapers that entered that gigai could never regain their spiritual power and turn that Soul Reaper into a human spirit. At the time Aizen discovered this, Rukia had already gone missing in the World of the Living.

 

Dick move Kisuke, dick move. Prepare to be decked in the face when I come back.

 

To be fair, Ichigo knew this would happen at some point. The day Kisuke Urahara unknowingly insults people for being too smart. Heck, even Scáthach expects it and usually is a fixed fate for the person in question when the Scottish warrior has a mutual agreement.

 

She could not forget how hilarious back then when Head-Captain Yamamoto and his numerous subordinates could not get into their own base because the demon who obstructed the world's timeline decided to make a nest there, then there was Kisuke, who unapologetically said 'I knew several ways how to infiltrate the First Division compound'.

High Captain Yamamoto's face being not amused was worthy that it should belong in her Chaldea photo album. It was too bad her resident photographer, Georgios, did not tag along. 

 

It is rather comical that Ichigo did meet the Head-Captain before, but by the time the demon was vanquished; the event was basically wiped in the mind of Soul Society's citizens and the timeline was also being fixed to whatever the dimension's equivalent of Pan Human History. So, the demon was technically never there in the first place. Each time Ichigo sees familiar faces around Sereitei, she wants to greet them, and then she will probably get skewered by Zanpakutou as a reply.

Now that she thinks about it, the Head-Captain still probably wanted to kill Ichigo for being an outsider (because an 'outsider' is impossible in that wiped timeline, everyone used to think she was on the enemy's side) if by chance he did remember and with Scáthach, not with her; that tremendously amped his success rate.

Huh, so there is a good side to not being remembered. Everyone who wanted to kill her back then does not even know she exists... And then she pops back into their life to give them a new reason to kill her, like an invasion for example.

 

Strange that Ichigo never encountered Aizen in that timeline, not even once he was ever mentioned; either he was dead or never born. Now he appeared in front of her like the universe offered a new challenge; Will you defeat this edge lord or not?

Please, like I didn't just brawl ORT yesterday!

Cause' hey, what is her life without a megalomaniac trying to reshape reality with a magical device, right? Right?

 

Seriously though, do all great minds with a notable residency from Soul Society think alike? Just because you can make an omnipotent device, doesn't mean you should. Actually, what's wrong with people constantly seeing the lack in their world in a micro-detailing manner? This is not healthy!

 

Ichigo sighed inwardly. Let's get this over with.

 

"You know that those are horseshit, right?"

"Pardon?" Aizen's taken aback by crude language.

"You think you're so over the top of the world for discarding morals and humility just so you can surpass your existence? You're not the first one in the whole world to be doing it," Ichigo's eyes steeled before Aizen's empty eyes. "I know people like you, the type of people who smears blood because they're not satisfied, and drag everyone else into their nonsense!"

"Ah, but did you know that you're a hybrid yourself?" Aizen points out the irony, "Did you know those people who are close to you are hiding the truth about your...creation."

"I know."

Aizen raised one of his eyebrows, "You knew?"

"I know what I am." 

 

It was thanks to Chaldea. Thanks to Romani. Mash. Scáthach. Merlin. Ichigo's existence is not as rare as she thought would be. Of course, she wanted clarification from her family and friends, but why should she? When the answer is stark and clear in front of her already. Her idiotic father never thought Ichigo was ever ready. Her mother, the dead tells no tales. Kisuke, bound by promise and regret. Yet she knew...she knew all of it!

 

"If you know then why are you siding with them?"

"Sides? It's not about the sides. I simply found out how to define my worth by not the circumstances of my creation. We're fighting because of our quarreling nature; you are someone who is naturally my mortal enemy."

There was a deafening silence. Then everyone can hear Aizen's sigh of disappointment, "Mortal enemy? The two of us?" He then let go of his hold on Ichigo's sword and his own and disappeared from her sight.

Before Ichigo can track his movement, Renji is already down with blood pouring out of him. Swords courtesy of Byakuya's Bankai, raining down trying pin where Aizen is, then got punctured from the side.

Suddenly Aizen is in front of her again.

"So be it."

Aizen kicked Ichigo in the center like an unwanted obstacle. She loses her grip on Kyōka Suigetsu and the owner snathed it back in midair.

 

As per the rule for every Bankai, since the master's injury is terrible, it has no pillar to uphold its integrity, so Senbonzakura Kageyoshi had come undone. The spherical slaughterscape crackled away as broken glass, Ichigo's flight ended when she crashed on top of the dome that protects Rukia and Tatsuki. Some of her ribs were broken, coughing up blood, and she could hear Rukia and Tatsuki shouting in concern.

- Oh, Tatsuki awakens already? Ichigo thought she managed to make her friend sleep through all of this bandwagon. 

Shit!

That is a sharp blade coming toward her!

 

Ichigo brings her sword to the middle to block Kyōka Suigetsu amplified by its master's monstrous Reiatsu. Sometimes her Spirit Origin picked the worst time to project, and she got a very not-so-pleasant sight; colliding imagery of Kyōka Suigetsu and her master, one is a willful and maniacal spirit with madness imprinted on her eyes, a stark contrast with her master's calm but conceited eyes, what a duo they are making. These two make one heck of a terrifying being.

But Ichigo and her Ego have their pride too, and they swear no matter how overwhelming their opponent is they will never break apart. Still, the continuous force manages to create a crack in the barrier, at this point, Aizen is just using Ichigo as a tool to break the dome.

 

"Hmm, what a troublesome person you turned to be Ichigo Kurosaki," Aizen commented fairly.

 

And I'm going to be a bigger problem-

 

"AIZEEEEN!"

 

Is that a... Werewolf?

 

Then a Werewolf with a captain haori arrives at the scene but that does not stop Aizen as he catches the huge Zanpakutou the wolf wields with his other hand while forcing his Zanpakutou at Ichigo. 

 

"I haven't that in a while, your face that is. Did you have a change of heart or something, Komamura-kun?" Aizen greeted.

 

"How... YOU CAN STILL LAUGH AIZEN!!!!"

 

The dome breaks. Ichigo fell between Rukia and Tatsuki with little to no graceful and she bounced on the ground, hurting every part of her back, and coughed a stream of blood. It does feel like she is being stomped by a Giant!

Ichigo gasped and the worried expression from both Rukia and Tatsuki instantly into her view.

And the battle is still continuing.

Ichigo gets up in an instant, a little bit limping, but nothing she cannot handle. She knew that Werewolf was not going to create any difference in the tides of battle. But before she could take another step, Ichigo felt her side becoming wet, turning her head she met Renji's hateful glare.

Rukia and Tatsuki are screaming.

What- Oh, Renji is under an illusion. Swell. When the Fuck has Aizen got the time to-

Ichigo staggered, more blood seeping out from her mouth, almost hesitant to kick Renji away before Renji himself suddenly looked like he was being slapped awake, it took him a second before he realized what he had just done; confusion and shock marred his face. She then saw Aizen doing something to the Werewolf, some kind of torture-caging spell, and proceeded to Shunpo beside Renji to deck him away to the side in his shell-shocked form.

She can feel her knees meet the ground, unable to move, sword sticking on her side. She turns her head to see Tatsuki being kicked to the ground for trying to shield Rukia and the latter being dragged by her collar.

"Wait-!"

Ichigo grunted in pain as she tried to stand up, only to sprawl on the ground pathetically. 

"Did you know that I have to butcher the entire member of Central 46 the moment I found you in the human world, using Kyōka Suigetsu to create an illusion of them holding a meeting being alive and well? Do you know what kind of a hassle you are Rukia Kuchiki," Aizen keeps dragging the weak figure of Rukia, "We can't get in without permission from the inside so the three of us have to take turns going to the conference room to play politic and giving out orders to achieve our goals? Ensuring your capture, assigning tasks to retrieve you from the Sixth Division, and destroying the gigai that Urahara made so you won't be becoming human. As to evaporate your soul so I can retrieve the Hōgyoku I decided to use the Sōkyoku. The only times we left the Central were the few hours and after each of the captain's meetings because of the possibility of the Ryoka group causing the execution to fail."

 

For fuck's sake, he's monologuing. Ichigo growled, gritting her teeth as she pulled Zabimaru out of her body, ignoring the excruciating pain, and the blood exiting. Gotta crawl...

 

Byakuya lifted his face with great difficulty. He saw his sister being dragged like a sack by Aizen. When he tried to move his body, the pain flared in protest. He then saw Ichigo dragging her body by gauging dirt, trying to close the distance from Rukia.

He is somewhat amazed by how persistent she is.

 

"There are two ways to extract a foreign object implanted into a spiritual body. Intense heat and highly destructive nature like the Sōkyoku or some sort of a procedure that causes spiritual body structure to break down thus creating an opening. If using Sōkyoku failed I have to find another way. Therefore I needed full access to the great hall of records in Central where reports of all important events in Soul Society were being kept, "Aizen took out some sort of a small cylindric case from his robe, lifting Rukia in the air, "I carefully research what Kisuke Urahara ever did because implanting foreign object into a spirit is something he invented. Naturally, an extraction procedure is hidden somewhere in his research."

 

Ichigo grimaced, she did not why Aizen's voice made her injury throb more. WILL YOU SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU LOWERING THE IQ OF THE WHOLE WORLD!

 

Aizen breaks the case, something starts to envelop his right hand, and claws spring out from the ground. He shoves his hand toward Rukia's chest to retrieve what looks like to be a marble encased in an octahedral sphere. An Infinite facet of possibilities. There is no blood or anything, as Aizen retracts his hand, the hole in Rukia's chest is closing.

"So this is the Hōgyoku, surprisingly small. And the host is unharmed by the extraction method? Incredible,"  Aizen gazed at the crawling Ichigo and smiled, "You crawled your way to reach this point? I'm sorry, I think you're a bit too late. Well, I have no use for you anymore Rukia Kuchiki. Gin, kill her."

"It can't be helped. Shoot to kill, Shinsō." Gin released his Zanpakutou.

 

"I won't let you!" 

 

A burst of cherry blossom petals pushed the elongated Shikai, redirecting it toward Aizen, who instinctively dodged but lost his hold of Rukia. Ichigo uses all of the energy she has left to dash forward to catch her in time.

Aizen misunderstood something. Ichigo did not come here to care about the Hōgyoku, it was always about Rukia. It was always for Sode no Shirayuki. She mentally cheered. Well done, Byakuya! Who would've thought he still had the strength to use Senbonzakura?

 

"By the honorable Sword of Selection. Yearning Spirit of Winter. Grant thee wielder to the path of victory!"

 

Everything explodes into snowy joy. There stood Rukia Kuchiki in her Soul Reaper uniform wielding the most beautiful white Zanpakutou in Soul Society, Sode no Shirayuki.

 

Notes:

*Eihwaz is a Rune of hardening. Bazett Fraga McRemitz inscribed on her gloves, giving them a hardness well over tungsten steel. The scene is a reminiscence from Fate/Grand Order: First Order short anime when Caster Cu uses Eihwaz to counter EMIYA's arrow.
Ichigo dubbed Gin as Foxface is also part of a pun like you know, Fuckface. Gin's view toward geniuses is basically of his understanding that people are so easy to be pleased by what they want to see, he is lowkey saying to the Seireitei 'Huh, no wonder you guys ate Aizen's lies so easily. The story of Bleach is about a bunch of genius trying to foil each other since they can see each other rotten side creating a 4D chess game that's too painful to watch.

If you remember, Merlin crafted the golden seal in the image of Caliburn. The Sword of Selection. The sword that chooses Arturia (or Arthur) to be a King. An aria has to carry a message, it loosely means that Sode no Shirayuki choose Rukia to be her master and she finally comes home.

Chapter 29: A Reign Incomplete

Summary:

"If I shower this hot coffee to Aizen's face would it be painful--No, wait. It would be a waste of a perfectly good coffee." Ichigo then boils some rat poison instead, "If I shower this hot rat poison to Aizen's face would it be painful or not?"

Notes:

Ichigo's humor (sarcasm, really) is her coping mechanism

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Despite the sun being up high, the ground is now covered with snow and a layer of ice.

Rukia stands upright and brandishes her Zanpakutou toward the group of traitors, absent of her white prisoner garment, replaced by a standard shihakushō. The tip of her sword glows white, and bursting particles, building up at the end of Sode no Shirayuki, is released as a large, powerful avalanche of cold air.

The group of traitors instinctively held up their hands to cover themselves from the attack. They narrowly avoided it, on the surface of Aizen in a cast of ice; Gin and Tōsen see their feet trapped by the ice; both knew they are not completely cascaded by ice because they were shielded by Aizen's powerful Reiatsu.

 

Ichigo raised both of her hands in triumph when looking at that beautiful display of someone in high strung in instant recovered power.

 

YES, HAHA!-- OW! SHIT! Okay, I'm bleeding out! Fuck!

 

Ichigo once again kissed the ground. Shit. She did not even have the energy to cauterize her wound.

 

Aizen then easily flexes his muscles to break off the cold cast. 

 

Rukia is not intimidated by how easily the enemy breaks away and shows no fear; Ichigo, Renji, Byakuya, and many others risked their lives for her; it is her turn to protect them from these bastards

"Don't come any closer!" She knew her ice is not as powerful as Captain Hitsugaya but right now she was the one standing with power, and she did not care even if she is not capable enough to fight all of them. White Reiatsu starts to cascade around her, "Some no mai!"

"You think you can wound me?" Aizen reaches for his Zanpakutou.

"Let's find out." Rukia gritted.

 

Before Rukia can act, Soul Reaper starts to rain down around her, and someone caught the wrist of her sword hand.

 

"Rukia! Stand down!" 

 

Almost immediately after Ukitake held down Rukia, he can sense the freezing burn of ice, cold fractals creeping through his hand and still creeping up as he let go of Rukia steadily. It disappears way too slowly after then. He breathed and steam puffed out, he does not realize that he feels cold. Since Rukia is capable of this?

And since when has Rukia changed her attire to a shihakushō?

 

"Why do you stop me Captain Ukitake?!" 

 

Ukitake thought Rukia was a bit weirdly agitated as his subordinate's sleeves started to whiten like snow given their color. He decided that this is not normal.

 

"Rukia, calm yourself. it's over."

 

Rukia turns at Aizen again and sees him being apprehended by Yoruichi and Captain Soi-Fon. Suddenly, she felt all the rage within subsided, her conscience told her to remember herself. She dismissed Sode no Shirayuki into its sealed form and sheathed it.

The layer of ice on the ground disappears, fractals melted away and the temperature starts to come back to normal.

She then goes to Ichigo to check her wounds.

"Hey, you look better in uniform," Ichigo grunted as she turned around and grimaced over her injury.

"Shut up, you've seen better days," Rukia pressed her hand over the injury, applying healing kidō, "Thanks for giving her back though."

"Just fulfilling my promise." Ichigo weakly gave a thumbs up.

While Ukitake sends a suspicious glance at them. 

 

"Well, what a nostalgic face," Aizen does not seem intimidated one bit despite having two assassins ready to strike any of his vital points.

"If you move even one muscle..." Yoruichi glared.

"We'll cut your head off." Soi-Fon finished.

A loud rumble resounds through the air, and Yoruichi saw the three Gatekeepers of Seireitei laying destruction in their wake, "Impossible! Even those three are traitors?" No...it must be because of the illusion!

"What will you do now? Not even you two can't fight me while dealing with those three, right?" Aizen taunted.

 

He forgot one giant though. As Jidanbo descends from the sky, his howling resounds throughout Soul Society with Kuukaku Shiba arriving by Jidanbo, perching on the giant's shoulder.

 

"Yo, Yoruichi! I got bored. So I decided to drop by after taking a walk!"

Kuukaku blasted one of the giants with Raikōhō and he went down immediately. Strangely, the others did not react when one of their comrades is down, who knows what Aizen had done to them. Before they even make a move, Jidanbo makes sure they fell asleep with his fist.

 

"Hiya, what an immense strength," Gin raised his hand as if going to cast a blast toward Jidanbo, "Whatever should I do?"

Said hand was caught by Rangiku Matsumoto, who then set the blade of her Zanpakutou down on Gin's neck, "Don't move."

Aw, shucks. Gin thought unapologetically, "Sorry Captain Aizen, she got me."

Tōsen is silent as he was apprehended by his lieutenant, Hisagi Shūhei.

"It's over Aizen. You're surrounded." Yoruichi heard his chuckles, "What's so funny?"

"Sorry to ruin the fun but... It's time."

Yoruichi looked up and mentally cursed, "SOI-FON! MOVE!" 

 

The two assassins back off in time when a light beam envelops Aizen. Followed by the other two traitors. Gigantic clawed hands rip the sky open, and the spring of Menos comes out, flailing like a worm, and looking down at Soul Society.

Two more light beams shot down to get Tōsen and Gin.

"Too bad. It would've been nice if my capture lasted a little longer," Gin said in a very hushed tone as if reserved only for Matsumoto, "Farewell, Rangiku... Sorry."

 

Not that Ichigo enjoys being condescending, but she is really curious about all the rumbles since she is lying on her back and all she can see is the sky. She heard shouting that she was not paying attention, Jidanbo and Kuukaku falling from the sky, Menos blooming from the sky, and a lot of yellow flashbangs. One yellow flashbang turns out to be an elevator for Soul Society Trio Traitors; they slowly ascend to the sky and Ichigo cannot help but scrunch up her face sourly when Aizen's eyes fall onto her.

Gross. Stalker. Don't look at me.

The beam is called Negación. Apparently, Menos used it to rescue their comrades. Once that light is cast, the area inside the light became a completely separated dimension, and impenetrable from the outside. Everybody who has ever fought Menos knows this, from that moment that light came down, Aizen is out of anyone's reach.

("Nega-what? What's with the sudden Spanish?" Ichigo lowly whispered, hissing when her injury is being probed, "Rukia, watch it!" "Shut up. Also, what's a Spanish?")

The Werewolf howls at Tōsen something about was he not becoming a Soul Reaper to carry out justice and the blind man said that the path he can only see is the ones that are not dyed with blood. Whichever path he chooses is the path to justice. Quite an offhand justification but okay.

So... Comrades, friends, and lovers turned out to be evil. Tale of betrayal old as time.

 

Society in a nutshell, honestly.

 

Ichigo's bleeding had slowed down, she looked up to the sky, innocent blue surrounded by horror created by Aizen's Hollow allies.

There is something poetic about it.

 

"No one stood at the top of the world, not you," Aizen said to Ukitake as he took off his glasses, crushing them after, and swept his hair back "Not me, not even Gods. But the unbearable vacancy of the throne in the sky is over. From now on I will be sitting on it. Goodbye, Soul Reapers," Aizen's eyes drift down toward Ichigo, "Goodbye, young Ryoka. For a human, you're quite interesting."

The sky shut itself and the traitors are nowhere to be seen.

 

"... Geez, he sure talks too much," Ichigo huffed.

 


 

It was late noon when Renji woke up, a member of the Fourth Division tending his wounds, and the last thing he remembers was him stabbing what he thought to be Aizen only as the illusion dissipated, turns out to be Ichigo. Was not that a scary sight? Attacking your allies under the effect of an illusion. At first, he wondered what was happening after he blanked out but not anymore as Ichigo, who lay beside him being tended by Orihime, dutifully recited everything for him; about her crawling while bleeding, Rukia got Sode no Shirayuki back, lights came up from the sky and Aizen's monologue. 

"I mean can you believe it?! He just swept his hair back like it was a sign of his evil makeover. Are you sure he was even a captain, not someone who graduated from a drama school?" Ichigo prattled. Her hand waved animatedly through the air.

"Is this you punishing me for stabbing you?" Renji appreciated the indulgence. He did... He did not.

"What? No. I don't care about that."

Renji spluttered, "You don't care about me stab- OW!"

"Lieutenant Abarai, please refrain from shouting or you'll pull your stitches." Said a medic from the Fourth Division.

"Oh, look at that, Renji you're still a lieutenant. It seems Byakuya never acknowledges your resignation," Ichigo rubbed her sore shoulder. All wounds are healed, and no bruises are in sight. Gee, Orihime's healing abilities sure are handy, "All right, that's enough on me Orihime, go help Tatsuki."

"Uhm...are you sure?" Orihime asked unassuredly.

Ichigo chuckled and patted her friend on the head, "That question, should be directed at Tatsuki not me, now go. Heal someone who's more injured than me."

 

Meanwhile, Unohana was glad that Renji's and Byakuya's injuries are not as severe as she thought, it seems Aizen needed to incapacitate them fast enough to be on time for the Negación to appear. The Ryoka, Ichigo Kurosaki, must have been able to hold the man off long enough. She breathed in relief and shook her head fondly, these young blood, high in spirits as they want to be. Especially Byakuya...

"How reckless you were, Captain Kuchiki..."

People thought Byakuya was not the same bullheaded child from centuries ago. Oh, how wrong they were.

"Unohana-san, can you please call Rukia for me?" Byakuya said in a low tone.

Unohana stared blankly at Byakuya. She lifted her right hand, curled all of her fingers except the forefinger, and poked the younger captain's bandaged wound. Byakuya let out a cry of pain which made almost everyone look in his direction, he gazes at Unohana with a mix of confusion and annoyance, which was replied to by a serene smile.

"Rukia-san, Captain Kuchiki wanted to speak with you."

Everyone near Byakuya's vicinity can hear the story, about Rukia his late wife's younger sister, his reasons why he inducted her into the clan, and why he acts the way he is. Byakuya swore in front of his parent's grave after adopting Rukia that it would be the last time he was breaking the rule.

 

"Say that again? Your parents' grave you said?"

 

Byakuya was almost startled to see Ichigo suddenly looming over him, interrupting his moment of closure with his adoptive younger sister. He spots a streak of shock on her expression.

"What are you doing?! This is impolite Ichigo!" Rukia chastised.

"My, you're standing already, Kurosaki-san," Unohana is suddenly beside Ichigo as if trying to dissuade if there are any attempts of mischief, "I see your friend's healing abilities are impeccable but please do remain civil, Captain Kuchiki's injuries are quite extensive."

"Ah..." Ichigo flinched, "No... I was just... Nevermind."

 

Unohana, Byakuya, and Rukia stared at Ichigo's retreating form, instead of gathering with her friends, she went somewhere far on the side of the scene, sitting alone.

"What was that about?" Rukia wondered.

Unohana gazed at the lone redhead with an unreadable look.

 

His parent's grave... Sōjun is... 

 

"I guess you don't get miraculously cured, after all..."

 

Instead of meeting the man in person as Ichigo hoped to, it turned out the only thing she can do was to pay her overdue respect.

 


 

Later in the evening, Chad found Ichigo crouching near the chicken poultry that the Fourth Division owned, face buried in her arms, and alone. Hanatarou was the one who pointed out where she was, saying that she was in a sullen mood, he also begs to coax Ichigo to get her bed rest or Captain Unohana will personally drag her by the ear.

"Ichigo?" Chad called out.

Ichigo reacted by cocked her head to the side, a steady rise from her position, and facing her friend. Is she being sullen? Because if she does, Chad cannot read it, and he thought he knew everything about her best friend's behavior. Instead, it was a stony expression, which is a bit hard to read.

"Are you okay?"

"... Just tired," Ichigo massages her eyes.

"... You don't seem-"

"Happy?"

"Relieved."

Ichigo guffawed, though it was strained, "I don't know, I suppose I'm relieved. We saved Rukia, didn't we?"

Chad sensed there is a 'but' coming in and yet Ichigo said nothing. He then saw her longtime best friend caressing the petal of a lone flower that grew on the poultry soil. 

"Say Chad, your power...alongside Tatsuki and Orihime, where do you think they come from?"

Why suddenly ask-...?

"Well, according to Urahara, they managed to appear because your Reiryoku is uncontrollable, it keeps pouring out and affecting the spirits around you-"

"Pfft, he said that?" Ichigo sardonically chuckled. Since when he can't come up with a better excuse? Too many secrets in his brain that he can't keep with his own tattle. She sighed, "Chad, human and spirit live side by side, even when the human can't see them, they still affect them one way or another. Do you know why? Because humans are alive. You've known me since middle school, why don't you just develop your power back then? You see, nothing is ever a coincidence."

"Are you saying, Urahara-san lies to us?"

Ichigo hummed. Kisuke is a professional liar. It's part of his job resume... Well, former job. "I'm not a God, I cannot grant power. Even if my Reiryoku is potent, you guys manifesting abilities without a proper lesson was another example of cheating on an exam. I guess he doesn't want to say that it was because of the Hōgyoku."

"The Hōgyoku?"

"A wish-granting marble. Urahara created it, hid it in Rukia's body, and Aizen was trying to obtain it; the summary of why we were sent to this place. Don't get too disheartened, after all, we're just little brats in the eyes of the adults." 

"You didn't fall for it, didn't you?"

This is why Ichigo liked Chad so much, he reads her so well.

"I don't blame him for lying, someone like Urahara...let's say he has a trust issue bigger than his ego." He was an assassin, after all...

Chad is finally letting himself sit beside his best friend. They are both looking at the starry night sky. For some reason, he was glad that the sky still looked the same as the World of The Living, his homeworld.

"So how was it? Having powers?"

Chad shrugged.

"Don't lie. It's exhilarating isn't it?"

Okay yeah, Ichigo's right. "Ichigo...how strong are you?"

"How strong am I? Gee, you don't just ask a girl how strong they are, Chad."

"I thought that was for age or weight."

Ichigo hit her friend's arm lightly, "Prat." Only for her face to turn somber immediately.

"Ichigo?"

"Strong... I don't know, I don't think it's not worth mentioning."

 


 

A few days after, Soul Society quickly started to heal. Soul Reapers officers are running around doing their job, probably their endless errands. The markets are buzzing; streets vendor selling trinkets, snacks, and daily needs.

Rukia originally wanted to go to the Shiba house at the West Rukongai, imagine her surprise to find the Head of the Shiba clan walking around the city with her brother in tow.

"Oh, if it isn't Rukia Kuchiki, the Soul Reaper of the hour. Those kids really can't shut up about saving you," Kuukaku waved, "What are you doing out here?"

Rukia froze at the kind gesture, "I-I-I was uh... I was going to apologize to you-" 

"About my brother? That's fine I've forgiven you. My grandmother and Ukitake have explained everything to me, how it wasn't your fault and you're the one who's carrying all the guilt. Besides, speaking about forgiveness, don't you think you should have some credit to forgive yourself?" Seeing Rukia's still guilt-stricken face making Kuukaku sigh in exasperation, the next thing she does was to...dock the petite girl in the nose, "Come on! I swear if you keep this up, my Nii-san is going to roll in his grave and explain everything himself. Enough sniffling about it and let's get to the Kuchiki compound!"

"The Kuchiki compounds? Why?" Rukia blinked while prodding her aching nose. Oh right, Kuukaku and Ganju are Kasuga's grandchildren, sometimes she forgot about that since they are so... well, Shiba.

"We haven't seen our grandmother for a long time, so she wanted a family reunion, not to mention she asked us to get you, Byakuya, and the brats for lunch. I think she mention someone named Renji too who is Byakuya's lieutenant, " Kuukaku shrugged nonchalantly, "Let's hurry up! we're burning daylight here cousin."

Cousin... Rukia did not expect to be called that...

"Kuukaku-san, Ganju-san."

The two turned to Rukia.

"Thank you."

 

Rukia is given a dress by Uryuu which is based on the one-piece dress she wore often (a stolen dress from Ichigo's younger sister's wardrobe) in the human world, said that she can wear it when she visits Karakura town again. They knew that she was not going to follow them back to Karakura since the problem in Soul Society is fixed, but not entirely fixed since Aizen and his cronies are still on the loose. She saw everyone present except Ichigo.

"Ichigo-san? She went out," Hanatarou said.

"Out where?"

"I don't know, she was discharged by Captain Unohana today. I guess she wasted no time exploring, I worry if she knew her way around the city."

Rukia's hands are on her hip, a sign of annoyance, "Really, not enough she went around creating mayhem a few days ago and now she's exploring?"

"... She did that for you, Rukia-san."

"Yeah? Well, I didn't ask for it," Rukia harumphed.

Hanatarou weakly laughed in response.

 

 

Ichigo did know her way around Seireitei, not all of it, of course, only the part where she previously ever trod on when she visited Soul Society with Chaldea. It is refreshing to see the scenery be less depressing; no excessive smear of dried blood, the houses are not in ruins, and the sky is blue, not red.

Instead of demonic creatures lurking, people commune with genuine laughter.

Children playing football- Oh, the ball is coming toward her!

"Miss Soul Reaper, can you kick the ball to us?" Said one of the children.

The children are waving their tiny hands like a bunch of clueless little tykes they are that Ichigo was not an official officer but the Ryoka terrorist who also helped in unraveling a coup. What they also do not know is that she also saved Soul Society a long time ago but that does not matter because that is considered an alternate timeline and these children are probably dead or did not get the chance to be born.

She is both a menace and a savior, truly a lifetime achievement. Oh, she cannot be prouder of herself!

... Is what she said sarcastically to herself too.

"Sure here you go," Ichigo kicked the ball and a boy received it, he said his thanks before going back to playing with his friends.

"Hello there pretty lady, what are the odds that we crossed paths, once again."

Ichigo's not affected by the tease, rolling her eyes amusedly as she turns, her eyes specifically landing on the straw hat that Captain Kyoraku wore.

"Good day, sir. It's a new hat, I see?"

Kyouraku chuckled, "It's a good thing that it isn't my lovely pink kimono that is often destroyed."

Ichigo noticed that Kyouraku is accompanied by someone else. Instead of his bespectacled lieutenant, it is another captain. Said captain is awfully young- It is a kid, it is a kid. She almost said 'What the flipping fuck' seeing a white-haired child, with forest green eyes, in a captain haori, and reminded herself that said child might be past ordinary human age; his Reiatsu is naturally cold, somewhat matching his neutral face.

She can sense the small captain is examining her and whatever impression he gets from his observation made him frown, a minuscule frown that he hides within his neutrality. The edge of her lip tugged up knowing that she manage to set him off by simply being present in front of him. 

"Right, you haven't met Captain Toshirō Hitsugaya. He's been cooped up for too long in his office so I brought him to stroll along." Kyouraku said, tapping the small captain's head like a good son.

Ichigo sees a vein bulging beneath those stray white hair near the forehead and chooses not to comment. 

Toshirō sighed to defuse himself, he stretch out his hand, "Toshirō Hitsugaya, I led the Tenth Division."

Ichigo accepted the handshake, "Nice to meet you, I'm Ichigo Kurosaki."

"I know."

"Cool."

Toshirō blinked.

Ichigo did not.

Kyouraku cleared his throat and two pairs of eyes of the younger Soul Reapers fall on him.

Ichigo was going to say something before she heard her name being called by Rukia.

"Ichigo! There you are, I've been looking all over-" Rukia stopped her angry tirade when saw the two captains mingled around Ichigo and saluted, "I- I mean, greetings! Captain Kyouraku! Captain Hitsugaya!"

Kyouraku waved it off, "Maa, maa, relax Rukia-chan. We're all taking a rest here."

"Ah...right... Wait a minute. Oi, Ichigo! Why did you wander around? What if you get lost?!" Rukia continued her tirade.

"Thanks for telling me the general risk of exploring around, Rukia. Besides, maybe I do want to get lost. I also have a pair of healthy legs and the right to walk."

Ichigo dodged a slap directed at her face.

"Don't joke around! I've been looking for you for two hours!"

"Exercise it's good for you."

Rukia then grabbed the redhead's arm to prevent a possible escape, "Just come with me, you idiot! I'm sorry about this Captain Kyouraku, Captain Hitsugaya, but I have to take Ichigo somewhere."

"Okay, be safe you two," Kyouraku waved them goodbye.

 

"Kyouraku." Toshirō stared at Ichigo's retreating figure.

"Hmm?"

"... Ichigo Kurosaki, she's not like her fellow Ryoka."

Kyouraku tipped the brim of his straw hat, "... You're correct." 

 

Ichigo is letting Rukia pull her away, leading her to their unknown destination.

"Where are we going?"

"To come to the Kuchiki estate, Kasuga-Obaa-sama invited you."

The Kuchiki estate? Ichigo snickered and let out a breeze of laughter. 

"Ichigo...?"

Did you plan this while being on the other side, Sōjun? I knew it. You do have a twisted sense of humor. Ichigo keeps chuckling.

"Don't mind me, I just think of something funny."

 


 

Kuchiki Family Manor is at grand as Ichigo remembered, despite being the opposite of what she saw in an apocalyptic timeline; the walls are pristine white, with an absence of black smear courtesy of corpses infected corruption; their yard is green with well-taken care of bonsai; not brownish grass and dead log; and despite being hidden by a wall, Ichigo can see the cherry blossom which is Sōjun's favorite, alive and vibrant. Not so much changed around, the placement of the rocks, the trees, and the Koi ponds are still the same. 

As stiff as it is beautiful, just like Sōjun said. Pristine pride of a Kuchiki.

That man is as honest as the grass is green about his privilege; grateful and insulting it at the same time.

"What are you looking at?" Rukia questioned. The groups walked through a hallway, guided by a servant. The Karakura gang does try to look around though it is different from a tour in a Shogun castle in the Human World so they try to be proper. Since they thought that it was equivalent to an active Shogun household. Ichigo, however, soaked all of it like entertainment.

The redhead smiled, "House of Kuchiki at its splendor."

"Stop it. You make it sound like I'm a spoiled princess," Rukia groaned in annoyance.

"Are you not though, Lady Kuchiki?" Renji teased.

He got an elbow for that.

 

The servant opened a sliding door to reveal the two elders of the Kuchiki clan, Ginrei Kuchiki and Kasuga Kuchiki, had been waiting for them. Ginrei is a familiar face for Ichigo, the man does not change much, more wrinkles only. Now that he has met his grandchild, his gaze is more like Byakuya rather than Sōjun. 

"Baa-san!" Kuukaku greeted her grandmother with a cheer every granddaughter could muster.

"Kuukaku!" Kasuga replied with the same level of energy. Being a more petite woman was easily lifted by Kuukaku and spun around, the two giggled along the way, "Hold on, why are you only greeting me? Greet your granduncle too!"

"Why of course. How are you Dai Oji-san?" 

Kuukau hugged Ginrei. The elderly man did not return the hug, but he was not antagonistic toward it either, let out a small 'Hrn', and poked Kuukaku's shoulder, signaling to release him—common interaction in this family.

They enter periodically, with Ichigo opting to be the last before the servant closed the door behind her.

"And here you are Ichigo-san, I did tell you that you can visit the manor after all of that mess. It's a shame that the plan of using the Kuchiki senkaimon is abandoned," Kasuga greeted the savior of the day.

"All is well I suppose, Kasuga-san." Ichigo bowed politely. "Forgive me that I have to beat up your grandnephew in the process too."

"Ginrei and I thought that it might happen," Kasuga shrugged, "Now, who's hungry?"

The lunch had become a very eventful experience when the respective captain of the Eight Division and the Thirteenth Division crashed in before the servants were even done setting down the plates. Kasuga scolds them relentlessly yet allows them to join the occasion anyway. There is one Kuchiki that Ichigo did not recognize which turned out to be Byakuya's aunt, which also means she is Sōjun's sister.

Said the Kuchiki noblewoman chatting with Kuukaku and Ganju most of the time and said her thanks to the Karakura gang for saving Rukia. Her face gave Ichigo a shrivel because she looks so much like her brother, the differences were the heart-shaped lips, softer jaw, and smaller nose. Her eyes though, it is the same bluish-purple eyes that Sōjun had.

"Is something wrong, Kurosaki-san?" The noblewoman asked in concern, "You seem to be out of your sense, perhaps you are still tired because of your injury."

Soft-spoken like Sojun too, "I-Uh. No, I'm fine. It just...you reminded me of someone I knew."

"I do? There's somebody out there who looked like me other than my late brother? My, who could it be?" The noblewoman tapped her cheek lightly, "A good person, I hope."

"He is." He was. Ichigo resigned inward, "I'm sorry but you said, late brother...?"

"My brother was a Soul Reaper, he was killed in action a long time ago. Seeing all the family members gathered like this, I kind of wish that he is still with us. My missing cousins too, they being missing still had the chance to attend a gathering like this... Someday."

Ichigo did not expect the lady to open up something about her family. Missing cousins? Considering that these Souls have a long life, they must have been gone for a long time. Holding up her teacup for a toast, wishing the noblewoman good luck, "I know it's tea, not a liquor but for that someday, madam. Family reuniting with a warm welcome."

The noblewoman followed the action, "For that someday."

Two sets of pottery clinked.

 

Believe it or not, Byakuya kicked Kyouraku and Ukitake out of his property, making them unable to join dinner. The Karakura gang is allowed to stay the night before returning to the human world tomorrow. Kuukaku and Ganju are staying too. Ichigo asked where Yoruichi was but Byakuya's brows immediately scrunched in disdain when she utter the name of the cat changeling.

"She has her own house." Byakuya bites out and walks away. 

Yup, those two have a history. 

 

Ichigo decided to wander around the compounds. Following a vivid memory of the direction where she, Sōjun, and his wife used to have a chat. Passing the Koi pond, to get to the training ground, there is the porch where she used to sit and watch the sky. She saw the cherry blossom behind a sectioned wall, lush green, passing its time for a flowering season. There is a door in this ground that Ichigo never had the excuse to pass through, but there is a weeping willow beyond that door.

Willow symbolizes loss, along with the hope of future retrieval. So, Ichigo takes her chance when opens that door.

It is the burial ground of the Kuchiki clan.

Resembling more to a warlord's tombs rather than a cluster of ancestral stone burials from the human world. A sotoba named Sōjun Kuchiki is where she stopped her track, beside it is the tomb of his wife. Kiku Kuchiki.

Ichigo fumbled to form words that she wanted to say to her late friends. In exhalation, she settled with this.

"Remember when I said that your illness will magically get better? Who would've thought that you'll overrule it by passing in duty? You fight exactly like Okita, not possessing a fighter spirit my ass! Sōjun, you're a terrible liar!" Ichigo crossed her arms, "So... I've met your son. All grown up, stood five feet eleven inches, and grouchy. If he does look cute as a baby, do forgive him if he turns out the way he is. He is very much like you Sōjun; an ass. Kiku, why did you even marry him? Just what did you see in this ass of a man?"

There was only silence.

"You both created a real piece of work, I need to deck him in the head so his brain could work...And he's a very strong kid, a talented fighter. You two must be proud of him..." Ichigo sniffed as crouched in front of the graves, "The sky is getting dark, I have to get back. Sorry, I don't bring any flowers, I don't think it's wise to steal since I invade Soul Society. Rest well, you two."

She patted the earth of the burial ground, a farewell to the couple.

As Ichigo turned around, the woman who gave her a hair tie back at Yoruichi's training cave is there. Stone-cold beauty. Cold. Something about her is cold, like ice, far keener than Sode no Shirayuki who is more akin to snow. The woman in front of her felt otherworldly and yet belonged to the world she stood in. 

The woman did a curtsy again for Ichigo. For this second time, it almost referring the redhead as a noble or royalty.

"... You're not of mankind, are you?" Ichigo questioned.

The woman nods with grace. She walked toward Sōjun and Kiku's graves, holding out one of her hands. A whitish swirl appears to form...flowers? The flowers are blue; a makeup of elements of lavender, nigella, and iris. Perhaps a native kind of from Soul Society.

She placed the small bouquet on the grave. Wow, she's nice. 

After that, the woman reached for Ichigo's right hand where the scares courtesy of scratching because of anxiety. She blows a whisp of --Holy Heavens, that's cold. Ichigo flinched at the coldness. However, the aching is gone. The back of her right hand is healed, good as new.

"... Why... An Elemental like you decided to help me?"

The woman curled Ichigo's hand close to her heart, in a voice that is a synch between Mankind and Nature, she said, " Fear not us. Dearest daughter. Tales of the past and hopes for the future will be your guidance. " And disappear in a trail of blue light.

 

"Fear us not?" Ichigo zoned in realization, "Oh no. There's more of them."

 


 

Ichigo's time in Soul Society had been eventful.

One night, Kyouraku and Rangiku invited Ichigo for a drink and somehow Orihime was already there. Ichigo managed to outdrank all of them because of the practice of drinking mead, wine, or beer, out of precaution since it was safer to drink those during her journey rather than contaminated water. The captain and the lieutenant's faces were red and their speech became out of topic; Orihime was already down after spending a whole bottle of sake, which actually pretty impressive; and Ichigo was still wide awake as Rangiku's captain caught all of them.

The next morning, Ichigo had to care of Orihime's hangover; guess that one bottle of sake was a bad idea after all.

Later on, Ikkaku invited her for a spar which turned into a whole game of cat and mouse with Kenpachi because the nutjob was adamant about a rematch, she was not having it and bailed out from the Eleventh Division as fast as she could.

Good thing he was bad with direction, making Ichigo easier to hide from him.

Then she attended a tea ceremony lesson held by the Captain-Commander, a calligraphy class held by Byakuya, and an ikebana lesson held by Captain Unohana. In each session, however, Yachiru had popped out of nowhere looking for snacks and the captains just fed her whatever was available, which was mostly the classes's material. Except for Byakuya, who Ichigo thought was going to feed Yachiru his calligraphy paper or ink, which unlike tea and flower (many flowers are notably edible), is obviously not food.

Byakuya did in fact not feed Yachiru his calligraphy works. He had this taiyaki which was shaped like a cloud, green in color, and he called it General Seaweed. Apparently, he cartoonised seaweeds...? That is... pretty cute.

And Yachiru refused to eat it. There is an actual snack and she REFUSED to eat it. Ichigo could not decide if she had to pity Byakuya or thought it was hilarious... It was a bit of both, honestly.

Ichigo guessed that Byakuya's class was cursed because Yachiru finally realized that she was there, despite being also at the other two classes, and said 'Ken-chan had been looking for you!'. Then as if on cue, Kenpachi barrelled into the room, destroying works and splattering ink, and before Ichigo can do anything, Byakuya decided to intercept Kenpachi because he was furious for his peaceful class had been wrecked.

Looking back at the flashes of pink and yellow in the distance, she was never more grateful to Byakuya than ever for giving her the chance to escape.

Damn, these Soul Reapers. What a bunch of kookies.

 

Finally, it is time to go back.

Before everyone crossed the gate to the Human World, Ichigo was given a wooden pentagon-shaped badge by Captain Ukitake with a morbid marking of a skull on its surface.

"What is this?"

"A Substitute Soul Reaper badge."

Subti-what?

"A what? Please, tell me you just didn't come up with that on the spot?"

"I didn't," Ukitake smiled warmly, "Soul Society does acknowledge a Substitute Soul Reaper, when one has been of service to us, they are given this badge as a tradition."

No, it's not. I've read your law book, there's no such thing. Acting without a sliver of doubt, Ichigo accepted the badge, "Is that so? Thank you then."

"Always keep it by your side."

"Of course." Yeah, how about no?

 

With all due respect, Ichigo liked Ukitake as an individual. But the Gotei is a full-blown military organization and she was no one for them until the moment she was declared a terrorist, no matter how justified their action was to save someone who was going to be wrongly executed. She was an outsider who was armed and a competent combatant who was able to fight some of their best and still come out alive. There was no way they are going to give her a souvenir and bid her farewell without some sort of surveillance.

When a criminal is on probation the government put surveillance on them. So it only makes sense that they gave Ichigo a tracking device. Not exactly to track where she was going, which is a privacy violation, but to keep tabs on her power. And Karakura Town is also within the Thirteenth Division's jurisdiction, the more reason why Captain Ukitake is specifically the one who is responsible to keep an eye on her.

Stuff like this is inevitable, though her friends would not get it (Uryuu might, mainly because Soul Reaper is his kind mortal enemy). She has no choice but to indulge the Gotei and pretends to be the child who said yes to everything. 

Soul Society cannot gaslight Ichigo because she was taught by the world's greatest Heroes who consisted of many political figures, military leaders, and scholars. That is why she knew that Soul Society is not a big surprise.

 

"Ichigo, there you are! I've been looking for you since yesterday! Now, fight me!" Kenpachi's bellowed even though he is nowhere to be seen. The bell sounds from his hair are getting closer.

"Ichiiiii how are youuuu~!" Not that pink-haired child with expendable power too!

 

Ichigo decided that is her cue to run back home, leaving Kenpachi's colleagues to deal with his antics.

 


 

Turns out, that even leaving Soul Society is hardly easy, the same as getting in.

 

"I thought getting through an official gate will get us free DANGAI PROBLEMS!" Ichigo shouted.

"Unless you are led by a Hell Butterfly on a one-on-one basis you can't use the official route!" Yoruichi shouted back.

"Beggars can't be choosers, huh!"

 

Guess this is why Urahara makes an illegal Senkaimon. Screw the official route, if every route is a danger then a homemade is literally the same quality.

 

"Look! The exit!"

 

Yeah, exit for free-falling. Why can they just come and go peacefully?! 

 

The group was caught by a fabric, curling them into a ball, some kid shouted 'JINTA HOME RUUUUUUUN!!!', and finally got uncurled as was caught by Tessai. They are flying through the air, riding the same contraption that Yoruichi used back then during the jailbreak-destroying-bridge incident.

 

"Welcome back, everyone~!" Urahara cheered while opening his signature fan.

 

He cheered. He fuckin' cheered.

Ichigo's whole being twitched in anticipation.

 

"Urahara."

 

Kisuke Urahara did not detect the looming danger over him and greeted him with his usual jovial antic.

 

"Welcome back, Kurosaki-"

 

Ichigo punches him in the face.

 

Notes:

Sotoba: Offertory strips of wood with five subdivisions and covered with elaborate inscriptions. The inscriptions contain sūtra and the posthumous name of the dead person.

It's a popular conception that Okita Souji had tuberculosis (scientist says this is inaccurate) which is why in FGO, the Shinsengumi is depicted to cough blood after a brutal fight. Still, historically he was one of the best swordsmen that were ever alive. Hypothetically, Sōjun could've fought in the same manner, swiftly before his illness could affect him, which is why it's nonsense when he said that he doesn't have a fighting spirit because those who are constantly ill are the one who has the best rage.
Sōjun's wife's name is based on Okita's sword, Kiku-Ichimonji Norimune. Hien's sword in FFXIV is also named after it. Kiku is also Japanese for chrysanthemum.
Information on Sōjun can be found in Bleach: Official Character Book 2 MASKED.

Chapter 30: Breaking Boundaries

Summary:

Ichigo takes full advantage of being an asshole toward the people she met back in the past which is great since they don't remember her.

Notes:

I'm not going to do the Bount Arc. That Arc is not healthy.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo, with her tremendous patience, usually can wait until later to punch Kisuke.

Oh yeah, it is Kisuke now, although she still calls him Urahara when she speaks out his name because she has to repeat their friendship all over again, which is not an easy task because, instead of a teenager to a teenager, now it is 'looks like a teenager' to an adult. And as an adult, Kisuke turns out to be very infuriating, seems like his homeworld had to be in an apocalyptic state so he can be more responsible.

He is simply too smart for his own good.

Ichigo gravely shook her head as Kisuke writhed at the edge of the flying contraption, curled into a ball, whimpering in pain.

Uryuu tugs Ichigo's sleeves, giving back those left-over gemstones that were not used in the battle against Aizen. He tried to give back the bow too but the one who makes it shove it back into his hand, meaning he can keep it. Since Ichigo did not shift her steel stare from Kisuke the whole time, Uryuu thought it would not be wise to incite her anger more, and took a step back.

"I didn't expect a fist... I suppose you've heard all about me..." Kisuke crowed. 

You don't expect a fist? Clearly, you're out of practice. Ichigo rolled her eyes, clicking her tongue, and she turned to Tessai, "Would you be so kind as to take the others home, Tessai-san? You see, I don't want to have witnesses."

Witnesses of what? A murder?!

"As you wish, Kurosaki-san." Tessai bowed. A clear acceptance of who is in charge now.

Kisuke squeaked in betrayal.

 

After sending the kids home and arriving at the store, the best babysitter in the world, also known as Tessai Tsukabishi, goes to the back to make some tea for the dolt who got punched, the cat changeling, and the former Master of Chaldea. They gathered around the coffee table in the middle of Urahara Shōten, it is three in the morning, and none of them take the initiative to speak first.

Ichigo intertwines her fingers and rests her head on them, staring blankly at an empty spot.

Kisuke has a pack of ice for the spot he had been hit. 

Yoruichi sweated in discomfort.

Kon in Ichigo's body slammed open the door of the shop, breathing heavily as he was running as fast as he could. Crocodile tears flow from his eyes.

"ICHIGO YOU'RE BACK!"

The tense atmosphere takes a 180-degree of turn as Ichigo stands up, opening wide her arms to catch her sobbing familiar as if forgetting the two resident assassins already.

"There, there. Did you miss me? How's the house? Is everything alright?"

It is a weird sight for Kisuke and Yoruichi because Ichigo is basically coddling her own body, wiping her own tears with the sleeve of her Soul Reaper attire, and smoothing down her own hair in an attempt to soothe Kon who is possessing her body. 

"Your father is a horrible living being! Every time I come home, he kicked me; I woke up in the morning, and he launched himself into the bedroom! He's crazy and I don't want to deal with him anymore!"

"There, there. It's alright. But Yuzu's cooking is good though, right?"

Kon sobbed, "They are amazing."

"Don't worry, you can sleep here for a while. As for my old man, well, I have experience in handling Goat-Face since I was nine, you buddy are going to learn something precious," Ichigo led her familiar to the bathroom, "Now let's wash up your face and get some sleep."

Kisuke and Yoruichi were left behind and speechless. Tessai is done making and serves them with exactly two cups of tea, not three; as if he already predicted that Ichigo would not talk to them.

"Did she just ditch us?" Yoruichi gawked.

Tessai left again to prepare the futon for the guests.

 

"So...," Yoruichi started.

"So...," Kisuke mirrored, "I did something stupid...which is a lot..."

"You don't have to worry that much, despite the fist to the face, Ichigo wasn't all that concerned about the whole revelation." Yoruichi takes a deep breath. She needed something stronger than tea but she knew Tessai would not let her, "... Actually, Ichigo could probably rival your case about secrecy. Did you know that she had a mentor who seems to come out of a myth?"

"A myth?"

"She didn't tell you? Did she do this on purpose? Wow, she's vindictive, she's really Masaki's daughter."

Kisuke bangs his head on the table in exasperation. His guilt for not telling Ichigo about using Rukia as Hōgyoku's vessel, Sousuke Aizen, and Soul Society. Yet, all of those things did not deter the Karakura Gang to turn back. He is not going to lie that he was using their loyalty to Ichigo so they can accompany her to Soul Society, after all, teenagers are quite single-minded. It was pure luck that it did not end up in a disaster, the worst-case scenario is that those teenagers died as Aizen can easily kill them all.

The chances that Ichigo could have ended up carrying her friend's corpses home are high. However, her peculiar insight saved their hides. It seems she had experience with dealing with such a catastrophe.

Kisuke deserved that punch. He created Hōgyoku. He is the source of the problem.

"From the start, she knew something isn't right. For a while, she let herself play along in our games until she made me reveal what's the deal with Aizen." Yoruichi continued, stirring her tea impassively "She's playing boomerang with us. She knew we were not going to relay any reliable information to her and pay it back by being ambiguous about herself."

".... Does Aizen has his eyes on her?"

"He always has his eyes on her since birth, Kisuke!"

"You know that's not what I meant." Kisuke lowly said.

"Let Aizen be curious, it's not like we can do anything about it at the moment."

The two assassins flinched and saw Ichigo leaning on the door brim, now fused back with her human body. Kon, in his Carbuncle form, is sleeping in her arms. They realized that they did not even sense her coming.

It is a skill that was always contested by fellow assassins, was the ability to sense their enemy from a mile away and Ichigo just showed that she managed to do that flawlessly.

Ichigo smirked as petting Kon softly, "Didn't see me coming did you?"

"You're not going home?" Yoruichi asked.

"If my family can bear with me being absent from home to invade a military base, what's one more day to them?" Ichigo saw the two resident assassins getting even more tense, "Relax, you two. Let's be civil."

Tessai came right beside her to give her a cup of tea and left immediately. The moment Ichigo sat down with them, Kisuke decided that this is the correct moment to ask about his crackpot theory.

"Kurosaki-san are you a time traveler?"

Yoruichi threw him a look that asked if he had grown two heads.

Ichigo chuckled in amusement, "Did you come up with that after clipping research papers on a wall and attaching red strings?"

"Well did you?"

"Sure." Ichigo sipped her tea.

"That's not a confirmation."

"I don't lie. Just don't ask for the detail of how did I end up time traveling in the first place."

"Wait... So... You are a time traveler?" Yoruichi still cannot wrap her head around it, "Is that how you can have a mentor that came out of a myth?"

"Technically."

"Why you can't just tell us?"

"Because then I have to kill you both."

Kisuke and Yoruichi blinked in disbelief. 

"Were you being sworn in secrecy?" Kisuke carefully selected his question.

"The only person I'm being sworn off is myself. Though, I suppose if it is you two, I'm sure you can fend off whoever trying to dig the information. I don't know if I'm being hunted or not, at least, according to my contact, I'm still safe."

"Hunted? What do you-"

Ichigo holds her hand up to stop Kisuke and Yoruichi to ask any further, "Your megalomaniac is Aizen. Other places have their own too. I pray one day they didn't decide to collab, but if they do, I want to deal with them one by one, not simultaneously."

Kisuke and Yoruichi exchanged an uncomfortable glance.

"Don't worry, I'm not in immediate danger. You can worry about Aizen in the meantime. Any other question?"

This time, it is Yoruichi's turn to ask.

"Scáthach came from the Irish myth, right? Did you go back to ancient Ireland or something?"

"First of all, Master Scáthach is Scottish, not Irish. Although I do sometimes visit ancient Ireland," Sometimes even in a dream. "I mean it's not exactly time travel, my body is still at the present time while my Soul is projected to the past." 

"How is that even possible?" Kisuke frowned.

"By getting Leonardo Da Vinci in your design team."

The fact that 'present' was in stasis is left unsaid. Marisbury winning the now 'no longer exist' Holy Grail Warin 2004 was the solid existence of the Chaldea foundation, many of its inventions were set to prosper with Leonardo da Vinci's help; SHEBA was able to observe not only the future but also the light of the past, proving the Rayshift theory, and the Pseudo-Spiriton conversion projection.

Because of the explosion caused by Lev Lainur, contact with the outside world become minimum and Ichigo always wondered if her family was looking for her during those times.

"Are you going to elaborate on that or-"

"No."

"Okay, next question," Yoruichi shushed Kisuke, "Why did you decide to study under Scáthach?" 

"Decide it's an understatement..."

 

Ichigo was not trained by Scáthach formally until the end of American Singularity. Before that, she asked every Servant she managed to summon to train her and it turns into a fight over who is going to be her main teacher. The Servants, who consisted of Earth's best fighters were definitely competitive about it; Cú Chulainn, Kojirou Sasaki, Arturia, St. Martha, Achilles, and Atlanta used to argue all day, not even Jeanne can defuse it.

On one side declaring that spear-fighting is better. Then swordsmanship is better. Hand-to-hand combat is better.

Kojirou and Arturia just had to fuel it more by comparing which is better a better type of sword, broadsword or katana?

Only the Archer Servants were pretty chill; Robin taught her how to brew poison, Emiya taught her how to cook, and Arash was simply a great guy.

Ichigo tend to ditch them when the argument was getting worse; it was how she learned assassination first because Assassin Servants (Kojirou does not count!) because they were secretive beings and do not talk much.

Still, that does not mean getting lessons from them was a light workout since they have high standards. Training days were the definition of Hell on Earth but hey, she asked for it.

By the time Lostbelt started, Ichigo was more ready than ever, surprising those revived Masters with her absurd combat skill. Kadoc thought she was crazy for riding on Golem Keter Malkuth to fight the somehow-a-Kaiju-mammoth Ivan the Terrible. He is so wrong. She is not crazy, she is fucking insane! 

Fighting Pepe-san was exciting, he was the only Master who decided to square up with her in martial art.

 

"It's more like she forced herself to be my mentor. Tested me by throwing me into a pack of wyverns whether I worthy or not."

"Wyverns? You mean like Dragons?"

"No, no, no. Wyvern is the pigeon, Dragon is the eagle. By nature, they are completely different." Not to mention that a Dragon can be equated to a God, of all being.

"And you passed?"

"Oh yeah, I wrestle them."

Yoruichi patiently rubbed her tired eyes, the more she asked the more it does not make any sense, "So Kisuke throwing you into a hole was nothing more than a regular occurrence for you?"

"You got to be more specific, I got thrown around a lot." Ichigo rested her chin on her right hand and sniggered, Kisuke and Yoruichi's expressions are just that cute. She then asked playfully, "Kay' then, my turn. Why are you two so afraid of me?" 

"Excuse me?" Kisuke unsuspecting.

Ichigo giggled at that, "There's something about me that makes you two afraid, not because it's going to kill you, but because of the possibility of me going out of control. Urahara-san shows it when I come out of the hole, no, Tessai-san, Jinta, and Ururu too. Yoruichi-san you show it when I was fighting Kyouraku-san, just before you knock me out." Seeing the two are troubled to find words, Ichigo tapped the corner of her eyes, to make them pay attention to it. Sharp breathes from the two spectators when Ichigo's eyes turned yellow, "Is this what are you afraid of?"

Kisuke's breath hitched- Wait, "Your voice, it's normal!"

"Oh, you've encountered something like this before, aren't you? Yes, my voice used to be weird when I do this but I got over it."

With a single blink, Ichigo's eyes turned back to normal.

"How did you have complete control over it?" 

"Practice."

Kisuke was a bit irked that Ichigo was so nonchalant about it, "Kurosaki-san, obtaining Hollow power is illegal!"

Ichigo scoffed, "You think I'm running around in the wide world out there and a Soul Reaper was just going to pop out of nowhere to say 'Hey, that's illegal, you're going to get executed'. Trust me when I say that your homeworld's body of government couldn't do anything, they weren't even in the picture. Hollow, it's a term created by Soul Society, did you really think Master Scáthach spouting those words while training me? No."

"Are you saying that Scáthach trained you how to wield it?" 

"She IS my mentor." Ichigo pressed the word like it cannot get any more obvious, "You know what, Master Scáthach always says that Soul Society is the butt joke of the universe and its people are comfortable with it, no wonder why no one supports you when the Quincy decided to get beef."

Kisuke and Yoruichi reeled at the mention of Soul Reaper's enemy.

"The... Quincy-"

Ichigo held up her hand, the blue phylogenetic pattern appeared, and proceed to wave her hand in a lazy hello.

"You know you're..." Yoruichi stuttered.

"Yes. I have the blood of the most unpopular group of people who couldn't stop their admiration of someone who had the gall to pick his name from the Tetragrammaton."

"How did you find out that you're a Quincy?"

"It involved a spear and laser beam. Anyway, should I be worried about whatever stuff you two hide with my father?"

Kisuke's shoulder sagged in defeat. The now-adult of an ankle-biter of a teenage Soul, Kisuke Urahara. The boy who spared no thoughts about throwing hands with monsters born out of corrupted aether is sagging in defeat? 

"Out with it."

"I can't. It's not my place to say."

Ichigo rolled her eyes again.

"Look, if you think that it matters to me that I have to hear it from my father then I'm sorry to say that I don't really care what's his opinion anymore. For me, it's been many decades ever since the last time he raised me, I know he means well but it's too late. The only people he needs to convey the truth will be my sisters. Not me. I get it, I shouldn't have been born. My father's a Soul Reaper, my mother's a Quincy, and somehow I can use... 'Hollow' power. God, I hate that name."

"Aizen. It was Aizen," Kisuke bites out, who cares if Isshin went after him because of this, "He send an unusual Hollow to Karakura, your father and mother fought it. But he got hurt and Masaki took the burnt of it by sacrificing herself. Quincy's soul didn't have an immune system toward Hollow, she got infected and prepared for Soul Suicide. Your father agreed to act as a bridge between the infection, by using the Gigai I created, rendering him human. And the rest is history."

Ichigo is not even slightly affected by the confession, "Oh, it was Aizen's doing. Who would've thought, huh? It all comes to a full circle, I guess life's funny that way."

Nobody said anything in the next second.

"If humans didn't create a gun, do you think they would've stopped killing each other?"

Kisuke lifted his head, "What?"

"The same way with Hōgyoku. If you didn't create it, do you think none of this would happen? That's why it's no use drowning in it, Urahara-san. You regret it. Good. You're too smart for your own good." It's your curse, after all.

"I...Thank you, Kurosaki-san." Kisuke bowed deeply in gratitude.

Ichigo snorted bemusedly.

"Yeah, but we have work to do. First of all, Fuck Sousuke Aizen. Second, I need your help in regard to Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime. I suspected that considering Rukia and I were running around the city, the Hōgyoku reacted to them when experiencing traumatic events. Making them feel guilty by saying that mingling with me is making them develop power is wrong because if they can why not my whole class? Next, you have to make realize the responsibility of having such power. I refuse if their reason was simply to help, accompany, and fight beside me because you two know well with that way of thinking they're most likely going to die first before they can help me."

"We understand. We'll take care of it," Yoruichi sighed, it is been a while since she gets scolded by her parents, "... And what about your father, Ichigo?"

"What about him?" Ichigo said indifferently.

"Are you not going to tell him about your situation?"

"You're saying it like there's something wrong with me. No, I'm not going to tell him. Why? Same thing with you two, if he knew too much, I have to kill him too."

"You're not seriously-"

"It's not about me alone, I have others to cover." Ichigo stood up and walked to the exit of the Urahara Shōten, "It's been nice talking to you two but it's time for me to go home. Good day."

 

Despite Ichigo leaving the store in such a tense mood. The next day, Kisuke and Yoruichi managed to create a training schedule for the Karakura kids.

During the remainder of the summer holiday; Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime were drilled by Yoruichi, Ichigo, and Tessai, the latter especially trained Orihime on the similarity of Shun Shun Rikka and Demon Arts. Kisuke did not join in, something that Yoruichi and Tessai agreed on because, in a way, if the student is not like Ichigo, he cannot personally train them. Kisuke is way too extreme to be the three teenagers' teacher.

(Ichigo whispered, "Better him than Scáthach.")

Kisuke mostly gave advice and pointers, he also looks glad not to be forced into a more direct training to the three since he had a lot of research to do.

Getting trained by Ichigo has one condition; they must not ask why and how did she know how to fight the way she is. That does not mean she was going easy on them. Her training was quite harsh, it especially frustrates her friends when they could not even incapacitate her during the sparring sessions as she can take them down without batting a sweat nor full use of her spiritual power.

It gave the Shōten's residents an idea of what kind of teacher Scáthach really was.

 

(Uryuu, being a Quincy, was a whole other story. He accepted Ichigo's invitation because he wanted to talk with her but most of the time it was private.)

 

None of what Ichigo taught them directly came from Scáthach; the main boxing technique she taught to Chad came from St. Martha, Jacob's Limb is lethal for it can triumph even over an Archangel; and Pankration, an Ancient Greek martial art.

Tatsuki was taught various martial arts she got from many Servants. When fighting supernatural beings, she cannot rely solely on Karate. Ichigo had to make the girl promise to never use it in official matches. 

Orihime is the hardest to teach because of her literal 'magical' power. Ichigo is more concerned about her being found out by the Mage's Association. Though she did find out that Shun Shun Rikka acts the same way as Nouliths. 

Nouliths are a series of flying aether arms that are controlled entirely by the user's aether. To conjure a barrier, to shoot, and to aid. Not wanting her college knowledge back in Hydaelyn gone to waste, she managed to recreate it and use it to aid her Servants during Lostbelt. She wanted to show Orihime how flexible her ability can be but technicality is at hand, for she left all of her collection of arsenal back at the Storm Border.

At the moment, she can only teach the fairy-wielding girl how to focus (because Orihime's an absolute airhead), weave her Reiatsu, and shooting lessons.

 

Sometimes, during break time, Ichigo sighs in exasperation while watching her friends joking around from afar. It is strange. Every time she saw them fooling around, it made her shiver. She could not remember the last time I was that... Unguarded.

 


 

September had come.

A new semester at Karakura High School had started.

To celebrate it, Ichigo decided to screw with her friends and Soul Society alike. Chad did not comment, Uryuu is extremely miffed, Tatsuki's eyebrows twitched, and Orihime is so-so about it. Because she is officially bringing Kon everywhere she goes.

Yes, even to school!

Her way to counter the Substitute Soul Reaper badge that was given by Captain Ukitake was by not carrying it at all. She found out that it can separate her from her human body and when she does that, the device examines her Reiryoku level.

She wondered how high the Reiryoku had to be until she can be determined as a threat and decided not to take that chance.

Maybe it is a bad idea to mess with Soul Society but Ichigo's way of life is already on the edge so she could care less about it.

"Good morning all of you! Since when the five of you gathered like a- Uh, is something wrong? Why are you guys staring at Ichigo?" Keigo asked. 

"Why isn't obvious Keigo, my hair is getting longer!" Ichigo swept her hair to the back. Kon curled around her neck like a comfort pillow, invisible to normal humans, and sticks his tongue out at the staring people. 

 

The Substitute Soul Reaper badge is also super annoying. Every time there is a Hollow nearby, all the thing can do is scream 'HOLLOW! HOLLOW! HOLLOW!' and boy oh boy does Ichigo want to chuck that thing into the river!

There is a Soul Reaper from the Thirteenth Division who replaces Rukia and he is the most unreliable person ever to be assigned. Zennosuke Kurumadani is as reliable as a limp fry, if the Hollow is at Grand Fisher level, then there is a high chance he will become the Hollow's meal.

Ichigo almost thought that he was bait so she has to be a Soul Reaper all the time.

Thankfully, dangerous Hollow seems to be a rare occurrence nowadays...that it almost sounded like a bad omen.

Bad omen, as in Aizen. 

What is he up to? Is this one of his tactics?

Ichigo was not paying attention to the new transfer student from the neighboring city who was busy telling something about himself, saying he lives with her sisters and has weird uncles. She was busy doodling possible designs for her Nouliths that she plans to remake when the empty seat beside her is occupied by the transfer student.

"Heya, Kurosaki-san. I'll be sitting next to ya' from now on!"

Ichigo frowned and kept doodling. Did the transfer student just speak in Soul Society's equivalent of a Kansai accent?

Ichigo turned to the source of the voice to find a blond man... What the fuck! Shinji?!

 

Shinji Hirako, the seemingly free-from-paperwork Fourteenth Seat of the First Division, is here in the flesh!

 

Remember that Ichigo once visited Soul Society in an apocalyptic timeline that does not exist anymore, and she met a bunch of Soul Reapers? To parallel Karakura Gang barrels through the Soul Society like the unruly teenagers they are; Kisuke, Yoruichi, Shinji, and Ichigo once did the same thing, with Sōjun being the equivalent of an over-worried older brother, Scáthach, and Tessai being the chaperoning adults, to fix whatever the Hell that messing with the time at Soul Society. 

Shinji Hirako was the Fourteenth Seat of the First Division and was a definition of a menace.

If the First Division was run by a bunch of 'i-must-obey-the law' people, then there is one oddball, which is Shinji.

God, he was like... The best blond that comes out of a fashion magazine. He used to have long even-cut hair that was tied into a ponytail that made him look girly with his small teenage stature. The even-cut hairstyle seems to be a theme for him, and honestly, the bowl he has now suits him.

This makes Ichigo wonders though. Why did he cut the majestic golden crown that he loved to flaunt around?

Was the long hair his teenage angsty phase?

 

Ichigo holds back a snort, "Nice to meet you, Hirako-san."

 

Nice? Oh, she is delighted!

 

Shinji had been warned by Kisuke to tread carefully when confronting Ichigo Kurosaki and now he understood why. He sensed the teenage girl's enormous Reiatsu, and like how a Gotei captain is a master at controlling their Reiatsu, it merely feels like an ordinary human. Perfectly content to charade most of her classmates.

Anyway, what is that strange creature around her neck? It looks like a mix between a rabbit and a squirrel, orange in color to match Ichigo's hair, and a red gemstone etched on its forehead. It also has three tails. Three tails!

No one apparently can see the creature. When it rolled around on top of Ichigo's schoolbooks like a cat that needed attention, nobody noticed except four kids that Kisuke told him about for having powers, one of them being Quincy, who sneak a glance at it.  

HOLLOW! HOLLOW! HOLLOW!

Shinji flinched, together with the previously mentioned four kids, at the sudden noise pollution. What the fuck was that?!

He saw Ichigo huff in annoyance. The creature jumped in the air, dispersed into glinting particles that engulfs Ichigo, then A Soul Reaper version of her came out from her human body. They're exchanging places?!

He also noticed that Ichigo did not wear a standard Soul Reaper uniform; Well, the clothes are, except the fingerless gloves and the shoes; lace boots those Japanese women used to wear with their graduation hakama just this one has no heels. The creature that took over Ichigo's body yawned, its eyes met Shinji, and with Ichigo's lips, smiled coyly at him.

Ichigo peered through the window beside the dark-spiky-haired girl (Tatsuki) and took a step back. The dark-spiky-haired girl ducked down as low as she could without raising anyone's suspicion about why she did it. Ichigo set her weapon into a bow and shot the Hollow, there was a roar, a successful hit!

Shinji blanched. Since when does a Soul Reaper use a bow and arrow?!

Ichigo walked back to her seat and fused back with her body. The strange creature appeared in a pop of light, running in a circle on top of Ichigo's desk and then jumping to Shinji's desk, wiggling its tail in excitement.

Shinji pretended not to react. Then the creature tails whack him in the face and he recoils. He heard a low snort from Ichigo and saw her lips fighting not to move any muscle to make a grin.

Oh, this girl is messing with him.

 


 

Kisuke opened the door of his shop to find Ichigo, Kon in tow possessing his master's body, the two had this gleeful look, "Can I help you two?"

"We're playing hide and seek with the new transfer student, don't tell him where I am. By the way, today's Hollow weather is quite severe, don't you think?"

And with that, they are off. Ichigo's decision to have Kon as her unholy twin almost makes Kisuke regret that he never snatches away the Kaizō Konpaku. He waited...and waited...and waited...for Shinji to finally pass through.

Yoruichi opens the shop door as he did some minutes ago, and might be telling him about tonight Hollow's infestation.

"Kisuke...this is-"

"WHERE IS SHE?!" Shinji Hirako, in a Karakura High School uniform, came by with annoyance plastered to his face.

Considering how Ichigo made them speechless for the past few weeks, it is not even funny anymore.

Kisuke and Yoruichi let out a sigh.

"Shinji-san, you make a very convincing high schooler," Kisuke unhelpfully added.

 

Kon did not know why Ichigo made him cooperate in playing hide-and-seek with the new transfer student named Shinji Hirako. Sure he turned out not normal since he was able to smack him with his tail, and by sensing his great spiritual power; there is no doubt that the guy is powerful.

"Ichigo, who was that guy? A Soul Reaper from the Gotei 13?" Kon asked.

"Hmm, sort of." Ichigo is no fool. It seemed Shinji is not an official Soul Reaper from Soul Society anymore; he is an exile like Kisuke and Yoruichi. If everything that is happening right now is a result of everything coming to a full circle then it could be because of Aizen too.

Shinji was a proud lion and what she perceived of him today was different, the lion has a shadow, and that shadow is not happy. The pain of rejection.

Just what happened to all of you...

"Ichigo, over there!" Kon pointed at a rather burly Hollow, towering over the building in the shopping district, "I sense an unknown spiritual signature. Do you think it's a Soul Reaper there?"

Not unknown...familial in fact. Ichigo pierced her gaze, "Let's go. I think that guy got it covered."

 

From the location of the shop, Shinji felt the captain-level spiritual pressure, though he did not recognize whose. A captain? What are they doing in the Human World?

Urahara and Yoruichi did not comment about Isshin and shared a knowing look.

"Oi Kisuke, who is this spiritual pressure belong to?" Shinji asked.

"My father."

The three abruptly turned to see Ichigo, back in her body, Kon curled around her shoulders.

"I've been looking for ya' for an hour! Where have ya' been and what do ya' mean by 'my father'?" Shinji pointed at the redhead angrily.

"Oh, you know, around," Ichigo shrugged, "My father is...the one who fathered me, duh."

"The Hell is that suppose ta' mean! whose kid are ya'?!" It has been a hundred years. Maybe some of Shinji's former coworkers finally got married and have a troublesome daughter who works as a Soul Reaper... But her surname is Kurosaki, none of them have Kurosaki as a last name. Then again, it could be a new captain that was instated in that hundred years gap.

"Isshin Kurosaki."

"Who the heck is that?" Shinji said rather automatically. Hold on, Isshin? That's Hiroko-san's younger brother's name..., "Is there something ya' two not telling me?" He inquired Kisuke and Yoruichi.

"I'm going to stop you right there, Shinji-san. As much as we want to tell you, the information about Kurosaki-san's family is off-limit," Kisuke held up his hand. "And it was Isshin that makes the request."

"Besides, not knowing about my old man makes you sane. Trust me!" Ichigo gave him a thumbs up, "Shall we retreat to Shop?"

Shinji was going to retort before he see Kisuke and Yoruichi harried nodded as if telling him that Ichigo's advice is the most priced medicine in the world. In the end, he relented. 

"I'm afraid I can't join, there's something I must do."

As much as he wanted to, Kisuke could not join since he needed to check on Isshin.

"Is it my father?" Ichigo asked.

"Yes."

"Okay- Wait, wait. Actually, I need to ask you something," Ichigo pulled Kisuke away and whispered lowly as she beckoned at Shinji,  "He doesn't know about my father?"

"I did tell Isshin-san about Shinji-san's group, the Visored, but I didn't tell who they are, or that I knew them. Shinji-san also never knew your father personally back in Soul Society. I didn't rattle information about each other existence. While it sounds manipulative, it's a necessary precaution. Who knows what two sides can do to each other, whether it'll be harmful or not, I choose not to risk it." Kisuke explained, covering his mouth with his fan.

Ichigo nodded in understanding, "Okay, off you go."

Before Kisuke can activate his Shunpo, he heard Ichigo call him again.

"Yes, Kurosaki-san?"

"Good luck."

...?

 


 

"Ya' don't have a good relationship with yer' Dad?" Shinji asked.

"It's complicated." Like every family in a nutshell. Ichigo made a dismissive gesture, silently telling him to drop the subject, "So, Hirako-san. I suppose Urahara-san and Yoruichi-san already briefed you about me."

"Uh...sorta."

"And what's your opinion?"

Courtesy of Kisuke and Yoruichi, Shinji had heard about Ichigo's ridiculous story about being a time traveler and studied under the tutelage of Scáthach. He researched who this teacher was and concluded; Wow, a myth is truly a myth!

Scáthach is the legendary Scottish warrior woman and martial arts teacher who trains the legendary Ulster hero Cú Chulainn in the arts of combat. She was even more mysterious than her students because no saga told her of being dead, she was simply a teacher figure. Why Scáthach (and her sister-rival Aífe) become so good at fighting was never told either. Her father is a dude named Árd-Greimne and that was it. All he got is that she is the daughter of this guy, she has a sister, good at fighting, lives in a fortress, and taught people how to fight. 

"Don't be offended."

"I won't."

"I thought it was horseshit."

Much to Shinji's content, Ichigo laughed.

"Understandable. Though, unfortunately, all of those all true. If I can, I will show you the evidence."

Yoruichi flicked her head to the side and scowled, "There's evidence?"

"Photographs."

"Then why don't you- Oh right, then you have to kill us."

Ichigo finger gun-ing the cat changeling.

Hirako blinked, "What does that mean?"

"It means that I have to kill you."

"Are ya' confident that ya' able to kill me?"

"If I can't then I shall die."

 

Shinji raised one of his eyebrows strainedly. At first, he thought Ichigo was like a typical human teenager; brash attitude and volatile emotion. But the moment she spoke about killing and dying was way too casual for his liking. He wondered if the kid is like that because of her training with Scáthach.

Kisuke pulled a conclusion after an observation from his numerous spar with Ichigo that Scáthach might be a harsh but effective teacher; and by effective, he meant, very effective. Because according to him, sparring with Ichigo Kurosaki was an absolute nightmare.

Despite Kisuke (and Yoruichi) being over a hundred years old and an obviously seasoned combatant, Ichigo put a whole new standard on casual sparring, something along the line of 'Go big or go home!'... Even if it was just a normal spar.

 

"Anyway, we should get back to the topic. Hirako-san, why is it that you're here?" Ichigo said as everyone finally gathered at the coffee table.

"Well, I heard that ya' can control your Hollow. Suppose ya' learn that from Scáthach, too?"

Shinji cussed out loud at the display of Ichigo changing her eye color into Hollow-yellow as if was as plain as day.

"Wow...okay. Uh, wat' about the mask?"

"Mask?" 

"Yeah, the mask that ya' pulled out when ya' use yer' Hollow power."

Ichigo gave out a blank stare, "... Are you asking to commit streaking?"

 

Silence.

 

"Commit what?"

"Streaking."

"What?! No! What do you mean by streaking?! Yer' not fuckin' with me around. ar' ye'?!"

"There's...a principle in summoning a mask, I don't do it unless I'm in a battle," Ichigo awkwardly cough, "I'm sure, it means something else here-"

"No, hold up! Gaining Hollow power is illegal, kid! There is no ground for whether or when or why we should summon it or not! Also, ye' said ya' don't use it unless yer' in a battle. Yer' facing other people! How is that any different from the streaking ya' were talking about!"

"Of course, it's different. It's a battle. We're showing off each other."

 

- Showing off...each other...?

 

Shinji gawked. He glanced at Yoruichi, demanding an explanation. All he got is a tired face.

"Wha- But... Ugh, Ar' ya' saying we should have a match or something to show each other Hollow mask?!"

"Shall we?" Ichigo already getting up from her seat.

And she said that with a straight face too. Shinji banged his face on the coffee table, "Listen! I came here asking for an explanation on why da' Hell ya' can already control your Hollow, can ya' just be frank with me?"

Ichigo looked at Shinji considerately before going back to sit again.

She tapped her chin in contemplation.

"Very well, I suppose..." She cleared her throat, "First of all, the act of conjuring your battle garment is a mark that you'll agree to fight till the last drop of your blood; if you summon it outside battle, it can be considered indecent, an act of flaunting, unless..."

"Unless?"

"You're going to court someone."

Shinji and Yoruichi spluttered, "WHAT?!"

"You're basically showing who you really are to your intended. Showing that you're serious."

"What...sort of etiquette is this?!"

"It's the Celts, what do you expect?"

Nothing! No one expects anything when they decided to ask about Ichigo's experience with Hollow power! Nobody expect that there was a whole culture regarding using Hollow power either!

"But of course, having what you called Hollow power is extinct nowadays, I don't blame you for not knowing any of those. Master Scáthach's family lived in the Age of Gods and like how that time period is vague, many things were unexplainable by modern means. To enhance their survival, they became a creature of instinct, and from that, a lot of martial techniques were created."

"... Wait, are you saying that gaining a Hollow power was suggested by humans at first?" Yoruichi asked.

"Who knows, maybe it's a God, maybe it's a spirit, maybe it's a fairy. All I know is that your so-called 'Hollow power' is hereditary in Scáthach's family."

Hereditary?

"It's genetic?"

Ichigo nodded, "Having Hollow power is actually, not the correct analogy. Whether it's hereditary or obtained through outside means, they must have the potential to wield this 'Aspect', and those who succeeded may develop it even further. This 'Aspect' is called Darkness. It may sound like a fantasy but it actually came from the belief that Light and Darkness is an actual tangible force within the Universe instead of metaphorical ones. They reside in every living being and can never be cast out."

"Dat's ridiculous, dat' means everybody can use Hollow power!" Hirako interjected.

"Not quite. Everybody can have it but that doesn't mean they can use it. Darkness is esoteric, they're wild and chaotic. That until you gave them...Hmm, let's say a 'shape'. You're a person Hirako-san, not someone who is inherently a Hollow, of course, there would be a difficulty to master it." And being a person does make your life harder. Especially if you strive to be a good person... "But, you don't want it, do you? That Hollow power?"

Hirako does not answer.

"Let me guess. Aizen?"

"... Aizen was my lieutenant." Hirako's shoulders got even droopy, "About a hundred years ago, he used the Hōgyoku on us. Dat's why we became like this..."

Shinji began telling about the case a hundred years ago. The strange disappearances in Rukongai, which have been occurring for the past month as if disappearing. Normally it would have meant they mean going somewhere else in secret, but Shinji says that is not the case. The missing souls leave behind their clothes. If they had died, they would have turned to Reishi, and their clothes would have disappeared as well. The only thing they can think of is that without dying, the souls are becoming unstable and unable to maintain a Human form and eventually cease to exist. The Ninth Division is investigating the cause. Mashiro Kuna, the previous lieutenant of said division found ten sets of advance guards' uniforms that was sent out beforehand, they were not taken off, but rather the wearers have vanished.

Ichigo mulled at that new piece of information. Souls, huh...

"I see. Yoruichi-san, how did Urahara-san make his Hōgyoku?"

"I don't know, that's Kisuke's secret."

 

Ichigo did not catch any traces of Souls around Kisuke which makes her sure he made his with a torrent of massive energies with who-knows-what methods he used to contain it. It makes sense why Aizen went after Kisuke's Hōgyoku, it complement each other.

Souls are naturally chaotic, and whatever Kisuke used; tranquility. Astral and Umbral. Stasis and Dynamis.

 

Ichigo hummed thoughtfully, linking her fingers together and resting her head on top of it.

"What's your Hollow mean to you Hirako-san? A tumor? An Infection? A curse? Or perhaps, a violation of the law? If you consider all of this, needless to say, I don't blame you. I was taught by someone who lived in the Age of endless bloodshed and one of the enemies Master Scáthach ever waged war on was- Well, the Soul Society before it was even called Soul Society. This was not two thousand years ago when the Captain Commander was just born, you know. This was even before that."

Shinji and Yoruichi were surprised to hear that.

"Scáthach waged war on Soul Society?" "When?" 

Both asked at the same time.

"Approximately, four hundred and fifty years ago I guess. Instead of Soul Society, there was an alliance and I have no idea whose side was winning, she was never clear about it. However, one thing was clear, your so-called Hollow power, guess which side was using it? The answer is both. Both sides were using it. Now you see why Soul Society outlaws it. No longer it was celebrated as an achievement of glory. In the end, tarnished in trails of blood and destruction." Ichigo tapped the wooden coffee table in a tempo, "Now, what exactly do you want to do?"

Shini was not sure. After listening to all of that, his mind seemed to be lost in translation. He only her because he owed Kisuke for saving them but it seemed that vow remain unfulfilled as the girl he was supposed to train turned out to be a professional already.

True that her story seemed hard to grasp but his guts is telling him to believe her. He can trust her.

"Ar' planning to fight Aizen in the future?"

Ichigo takes a long drag of a sigh, "That's unavoidable, don't you think?" Where's Master Scáthach when you need her? I want to borrow her Gáe Bulg.

"Let's become allies."

And with that, Ichigo widens her eyes. This time she does not answer right away.

 

Kisuke opened the living room's sliding door, "I'm back. What did I miss?"

 

"I guess..." Ichigo smiled faintly, "This is unavoidable too."

 

Would you look at that? All the four of us, back together again.

 

Notes:

How did Kon know Ichigo's back? They share a 'soul bond' through a magecraft, of course, he knows.
If you notice, Ichigo dropped '-san' when saying Kisuke's name, this is because she's annoyed at him.

Kadoc Zemplupus is the Crypter that was encountered during the Russian Lostbelt. He was furious that a 'complete amateur' even more 'unremarkable' than him was the one who took the main stage and accomplished the great deed he was supposed to do, bringing back an intense feeling of jealousy and frustration. He believes to himself that he can do exactly what the protagonist has done but better.

Shinji: Can you show me your mask?
Ichigo: You want me stripping?

Hey, if Bleach's villain is that botched about 'I'm going to change the World!', can they be considered an Enemy of Humanity like in FGO?
Ichigo, be like, "My God, whatever should I do so ORT won't wake up from their bed?"

Chapter 31: From The Shadow

Summary:

Ichigo is god's silliest goose and they gave her the baddest battle

Notes:

If Ichigo is a Servant, the Original Ichigo from the manga and anime will be a Saber.
My Ichigo, however, is possibly a Lancer or Caster.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The night is wrapped in the autumn air and stars of winter, the wonder of the Reverse Side of the World. Ichigo lying in the vast garden of Avalon with a lot of things clouding her mind facing away from Merlin who accompanies her without his usual childish quips; Fray standing vigil somewhere near them

She appreciates the silence as the wind caressed them gently.

"An Ice Elemental spoke to me back in Soul Society," Ichigo said, firefly playing within her sight, "Merlin, I'm not ready for another war."

Melin sighed and plucked a dandelion full of seedhead, "Gentiana... Yes, she's the best in diplomacy. You're lucky it's not the Hydraean, I call her one heck of a scaly bitch." He blew out the dandelion, "Remember, we taught you to deal with your problem first not others."

"I know. I have the choice to back away from this war. I know I can. But why I can't seem able to do it?"

"Ichigo, you are a paragon of humanity. To someone who only views mankind like a lamb in slaughter, it's only logical to defy him," To defy Aizen. And to add what is unsaid, it is the right thing to do. Although nothing is as easy as it says, "You're reluctant regarding your friends; adamant to include them in the upcoming battle. You're also afraid that they'll end up like you."

"You're right," Ichigo got up and decided to take a stroll, "They're not like me."

Merlin followed his occasional disciple and former Master, "Indeed. Though, need I remind you that you too made such an outrageous decision when you were their age. Their loyalties were similar as to why the other Masters choose to follow Kirschtaria Wodime."

The blue moon mirrored the surface of the lake, Ichigo took up a flat rock, throws it, and watch the stones skipping through.

"Why do you think Aizen strives to take a path to Godhood?"

"A lot of things. The corruption within Soul Society, the lies among the nobles, and their empty King. Oh yes, precarious folks, they are. Claiming they're different from humanity, and yet, they all struggle all the same." Merlin said bemusedly, eyes glinting, "It's irony at its best" 

"Can you not just tell me? What is Aizen planning over at Hueco Mundo?"

"Hmm, I'm afraid I mustn't. Whatever path should you take, all shall come to your decision." Merlin counseled, "Now of you go. A new day awaits."

 

Ichigo bid her farewell for dawn had come in Japan. With Merlin is finally alone, he can hear gentle footsteps approaching him. Contrary to popular belief, Avalon is not a completely deserted utopia; aside from the trampling fairies, there are those people who found their purpose and are given everlasting rest, they can choose to be reincarnated if they want. However, those are not magical enough to describe the residences of this place.

"All of her shattered soul recovered. Gilgamesh and Solomon had done their part. This last round must end in victory." 

"I hope your people made the right call... Elidibus."

"Please, Elidibus is not my position anymore since I hand it to my successor eons ago," Elidibus shrugged it off.

"Fine," Merlin crossed his arm, "... Zenithos"

Zenithos smiled. The Elementals gathered behind him, and much like Gentiana, they took a more humanized form rather than their Astral form.

"Let us hope the plan works out."

"Are you sure we don't need to tell Ichigo about this?"

Zenithos laughed, "That's the funny part. It was she herself who instructed us not to tell her about it."

 


 

Shinji admitted, that yesterday was weird. Yoruichi had to sneak Ichigo into her bedroom, not wanting to raise suspicion for the Kurosaki family of why the eldest child come home very late, even though Ichigo said that her father would not care.

Speaking of her father, he had a suspicion that it is Isshin Shiba. He barely interacts with that one member of the Shiba Clan but what makes him more convinced was that Ichigo bears a resemblance to Isshin's older sister, Hiroko Shiba.

Hiroko took over the captaincy of the Tenth Division and duty as a Clan Head after her father died on his deathbed, after sustaining injuries that he got from the Quincy War for so long. Shinji was her Fifth Seat for nine years before transferring to the Fifth Division. His former captain was an excellent leader, he looked up to her; talented, charismatic, and efficient... And brutally honest like her cousin, Sōjun Kuchiki.

One time they commented about him resembling plantain and walk away without elaborating anything. Why him, honestly? There are other blonds in Soul Society.

 

Isshin was Hiroko's second younger brother, the first one is Takadai, Kaien Shiba's father. Isshin was not quite a problematic sibling, but since he was not the main Heir, he became quite lazy. Shinji remembered how her former captain often voiced her displeased with Isshin's lack of motivation.

Still, he is not dumb; has excellent marks in medicine, is excellent at Kidō (all Shiba are), and is an excellent fighter. In short, he can be the most sought-after Soul Reaper in Gotei. However, with his effort always half of the effort, Hiroko never stops wondering if she asked too much of him.

"Isshin is the type of person who gets geared up when reality starts to kick him in the face."

That was what Isshin's elder sister said while furiously signing his half-assed reports of his mission.

 

After Hiroko died, instead of Isshin, Kaien was the one who gets recommended as the new future captain of the Tenth Division and the Shiba Clan head as Hiroko did not have any children to succeed her. It should have been Kaien's father but the man had a weak body, and the extra workload will not assure a long reign. Kaien outranks Isshin for being the Fourth Seat of the Thirteenth Division while that uncle of his was the Twelve Seat of the Tenth Division.

Kaien was not even a lieutenant and they want him to be a captain. To him, it sounds to be very unfair to those who work hard for getting a promotion. Every time Ukitake wanted him to be his lieutenant he refused despite it was because of his genuine acknowledgment of his capability not because he is a noble.

It was a stressful circumstance and Shinji suspected the only reason why Kaien put up to it was that Hiroko is his role model.

And then, when he heard from Yoruichi that Kaien died from a Hollow attack, Shinji cannot help but feel empty. After so long with all the tragedy that fell upon him and his comrades, everything felt so empty.

It was so, so unfair.

 

If only Captain Hiroko can see him now.

 

Shinji snapped back to reality when she saw Ichigo enter the class with a steaming cup in her hand.

"... Ya' brought coffee?" Isn't she too young to drink that, "Ya' know yer' not allowed to eat or drink in class, right?"

"What my teacher doesn't know won't hurt her. Don't worry, the moment she walked in, I'm going to throw this cup out of a window, it'll land in the bin."

"Ya' really a ride-or-die type of person," Shinji never saw someone chug coffee the way Ichigo did unless they are a workaholic.

"You haven't heard the 'yeet’ yet!"

"What's a yit?"

Ichigo gave Shinji this ridiculous look and went 'Ha!' as if he is the butt of an unknown joke, making the poor Visored confused.

"So, about my story, did you tell it to your friends?"

Oh, Shinji told them alright.

The Visored concluded that he has finally gone deranged. Hiyori was extremely furious when speaking on the phone that she swore she come to Karakura to wrangle Ichigo herself. He wants to say that was a bad idea but it was night, his brain was mush, and he decided that Hiyori can take the fall for whatever she is going to do.

"I think one of them is going to shank ya' today."

"Lovely! The more the merrier!" Ichigo throws her coffee cup out of a window as the homeroom teacher walked in, barely missing Uryuu's face who glared heatedly at her. 

Shinji noticed Ichigo's friends who are spiritually aware glancing suspiciously toward him and mentally scoffing. Children.

 

Is no surprise when those children, minus the Quincy (his family business is not his place to probe), confronted Shinji about what is his intention with Ichigo. The latter is enjoying the show by looking over the school rooftop, or so he thought, he can see the streak of worry on her face when seeing her friends. From what he heard, they followed her to Soul Society to save Rukia Kuchiki from a misplaced execution, which turned out to be a ploy created by Aizen.

Their loyalty is admirable. Shinji gave them that, but he had seen Ichigo's eyes; those are the eyes who have seen war and endured arduous pain. It seems her time travel is not just simply trained by Scáthach, there are some battles she had to fight, which made her a seasoned veteran.

Compared to her, her friends are civilians, so green that is painful to watch.

Shinji exhaled in boredom as Ichigo finally grace herself in his view, showing how inhuman she is by landing on the ground without a scratch or broken bones. Seriously, What took her so long? That one friend of hers named Tatsuki is getting on his nerves. Reminded him of Hiyori, minus the flying footwear.

"Guys, enough. What's your problem with Hirako-san? Seriously, he's a good guy." 

"Good guy?! Don't you realize that he's been stalking you for days!" Tatsuki pointed her finger at Shinji's nose.

"If you call walking five steps behind me stalking, sure." Ichigo holds the urge to roll her eyes.

"Why are so calm about this?! You don't what his intention was! What if he's trying to hurt you!"

Ichigo raised one of her eyebrows, almost asking if Tatsuki is that stupid, "If he wanted to hurt me, he would've done ages ago. Besides, a full-blown streetfight in the middle of the day, that's called being a reckless idiot."

"That's a lot coming from you who constantly fight goons!"

"It's different if the other side is the reckless idiot. That's not on me, that's on them." Ichigo's face swerved fast at the only Visored in her vicinity, the expression etched on it telling 'Do you see the shit that I have to deal with?!' 

Shinji holds out his hand in surrender, understanding Ichigo's current temper. Watching the turnabout in the conversation. Chad is the favorite child, being quiet and calculative. Orihime comes close to being the second, but her endless fretting is an annoyance on its own. He gets that Ichigo's friend is protective, but it is clear to Ichigo that her way of thinking is way different regarding it. Their protectiveness is highly misinterpreted.

They are spiritually aware, they should have known not to mess with him. Instead of telling them that Shinji is not their foe, Ichigo decided to test their intelligence like a mother who found out their children had been doing dumb shit.

Parenting a bunch of careless teenagers is exhausting. Shinji scratched the back of his neck. Honestly, he cannot imagine himself as a parent.

Ichigo takes a deep breath, then let out a light-hearted laugh, "Speaking of being a reckless idiot, isn't antagonizing someone you barely know considered as one? You should've known better."

Tatsuki froze in her aggression.

"You can do what you want when you can finally outmatch me in a spar" Ichigo's gaze becomes cold, stepping closer to her friend's vicinity, "You cannot win against Hirako-san. Trust me, you'll die if he retaliates."

Shinji glanced at the redhead in disbelief. Isn't this a bit too much?

"If that still doesn't convince you, Hirako-san here is a friend of Urahara."

"Uhm, then, why you can't just say that in the first place?" Orihime chimed lowly.

"Don't throw it back onto me, like I said, you should've known better."

"I'm sorry," Chad bowed. He is the only one who apologized.

Ichigo's eyes land on Tatsuki and Orihime, waiting for their excuses. She gets a silence worth a thousand words. If those three were not part of Karakura's faces of defense she would have banned them from fighting Hollow for a month but then again, with them being 'normal' stubborn teenagers, there is no way they will listen.

"Here's a thought, you three come with us to Urahara Shop."

"Why?" Tatsuki asked.

"To get scolded further, come on!"

 

"Ya' really a harsh mom, you know dat'." Shinji said.

The other three members of the Karakura gang follow behind at a safe distance where he and Ichigo can chat without being heard.

Ichigo sighed tiredly.

"Tatsuki reminded me of how I used to be a long time ago, how I'm so eager to jump into some dangerous circus, not knowing that I'm the easier one to get killed before doing what I'm supposed to be...or what I thought I'm supposed to be anyway, to be a protector."

"But it's more than that, right?"

"They can't protect me, no matter how hard they wanted to. They're my friends, my normal human friends, and the little bit of power they had can easily make them arrogant. I think it's enough for them to be in the watchful eyes of Soul Society already, rather than more of others."

Shinji inclined his head to the side, "Others?"

"We're not alone. We don't need aliens to prove that we're not the only ones... Hirako-san, have you ever heard about Magus?" 

"Magus? Uh, we sort of heard about them during the early year of our exile. I was quite surprised that humans have their own group of Kidō users."

Ichigo snorted in amusement at Shinji referring to Magus as a group of Kidō users.

"Dying breeds they are. And for that reason, they have an absolute desire to preserve the glory of their existence. What I'm worried about is the Sealing Designations, which are edicts handed down by the Mage's Association to maintain and protect special thaumaturgical abilities which cannot be acquired through study, this is said to be a title of the 'greatest honor', those marked are deemed 'precious', causing the Association to mobilize the greatest effort to secure their flesh and blood, their body's potential."

Now if Shinji thinks about it, Ichigo's friends did not need to do anything to obtain their abilities.

"I don't think the Association cares about them being a Magus or not; armor limbs, fiery martial artist, utilizing fairy; seem magical enough to them. The 'greatest honor' turning into the 'greatest prisoner' is not something I want to happen. I can't protect them forever, so that's why, they need to be able to protect themselves. Just so you know the East has their respective way, if not Sealing Designation, they'll do something else, anything that'll able to include their abilities into their family bloodline."

Shinji knows far too well what it is about. Soul Society often does the same thing too. Put them in jail or induct them into marriage, or worse, human experimentation.

"It's not about that ya' can fight them..."

"It's about what kinds of people you'll pull in. This is a dangerous world we live in."

Ichigo glanced back to her friends.

"I hope they'll realize it someday. Even if I tell them that I'm a time traveler, that's not had a big impact on them. What's going to impact them is have yet to come." Wanting to end the depressing topic, Ichigo decided to change it, "Say Hirako-san, can I know more about the Visored, if you allow it, I'll love to meet them. Maybe I can help with your Hollow powers."

"Help? We resolved our Hollow problem a long time ago."

"Is it? You asked me about revealing my mask before, I presume that's the only thing you can summon and the first thing that appears when you succeed in dampening the Hollow. Just so you know, my Hollow mask has color."

Her mask is colored?

 

The Visored had their skepticism toward Ichigo is understandable, for a hundred years they had been dealing with their inner Hollow and then there is this young girl who claimed to be a time traveler, and can handle her Hollow power so much better than them.

Shinji is curious though. Ichigo's Reiatsu is much more composed than the whole Visored, he cannot even sense a stint of Hollow presence in it. Maybe unlike him and his comrades, she fully acknowledges her Hollow side although that does not quite explain everything about how well she was able to master said power.

 

"... Does colored mask mean something else?"

"Yes, because it's the person's color."

Getting philosophical, aren't we?

"Is there something we missed or rather missed in Kisuke's research?"

"I wouldn't say missed, I'll say you passed the first phase. Well, if all of your friends procured masks too and not anything else..." Ichigo tapped her chin in consideration, "I'll be honest, I did too, and this happens for a reason; It means our biggest hindrance was a conflict of identity."

"A conflict of identity?"

"Sometimes, what first appeared wasn't always a mask. Scáthach said there was a case that it will appear on arms, chest, and legs. There's a conflict of strength, heart, mind, etc. When I felt the rage of my Hollow, at first I despise it. This is not me, I'm not this barbaric and murderous beast. The truth is; I am all of those. We lie or insult, whether toward ourselves or others. It's a given."

Ichigo was going to continue before she sensed Dread in the atmosphere. Someone... Or something just tore open a dimensional portal in the Human World. She reeled back at the sensation, it was not like a Senkaimon that Soul Society used, those doors exude serenity. This one, however, felt sinister.

It was followed by two presences, one felt empty and one clouded in rage. Damn, the more her powers recovered the more she becomes sensitive like she used to be.

"Oi Ichigo, what's stopping ya'-" Shinji recently sensed it too that ominous presence of a Hollow. Arrancars?! Aizen ya' bastard!

"Do you feel that, is it a Hollow?" Orihime just has to voice the danger looming on the horizon.

"That's not a Hollow!" Ichigo snapped. She gritted her teeth in frustration. It is not something her friends can face even together.

"We should go!"

Tatsuki was ready to bolt before Shinji grabbed her by the shoulder.

"Ya' idiot! Those are Arrancar, they're not yer' everyday Hollow!" Shinji warned.

Ichigo summoned Kon. Summoned, as in the Familiar jumped out from her school bag.

They both immediately exchanged places.

"What can you tell me about them?" Ichigo asked Shinji cooly while adjusting the sword on her hip.

"There's not a lot of information about the Arrancar. They seemed to be soldiers that Aizen had been busy developing in his lab!"

"Right. Stay here. I'll deal with it."

"Wait! Ichigo!" Tatsuki managed to yank herself off Shinji's grip, "You're not going to fight-"

Ichigo decked Tatsuki on the neck and caught her as she fell unconscious. She lifted her body and passed it to Chad.

"Go to Urahara. And don't even think about turning back or I'll do the same thing to the both of you."

Ichigo warned Chad and Orihime.

"But-" Orihime was going to interject.

"Hirako-san take them away." 

Ichigo was gone from their sight.

 

Hiyori Sarugaki is a short blonde-looking girl, sporting two spiky pigtails, and a snaggletooth passing her lip. She was on her way to see Shinji and to yell the Hell out of Ichigo Kurosaki. Then she felt a gush of Shunpo zooming past her, the unfamiliarity with the Reiatsu made her stop; the speed is the same caliber as a captain. 

Huh, was that a captain? I didn't know a captain assigned in Karakura, recently.

Around the corner, she saw Shinji appears, carrying an unconscious girl in his arms. A tall dark-skinned boy and a girl with a hairpin are trailing behind him.

"Oi, Shinji!" She shouted.

"Oh Hiyori, ya' already here?" Shinji spotted his fellow Visored and a sandal land on his face, "Urgh... Why do ya' always do this?"

"Cus' yer' face looked stupid!"

"Really, that's yer' reason. Can ya' think of better excuses!"

Another teenager appeared, peeking out from behind the tall dark-skinned boy in curiosity. Taller than the girl with a hairpin, her hair is peculiar; medium-length red hair. Red hair... Kisuke said Ichigo Kurosaki had red hair!

Kon's watching Shinji and Hiyori shouting at each other in a thick Kansai accent and saw a fist launched toward his face- Well, Ichigo's face to be exact. He skidded to the side, letting the fist soar through empty space.

"Hiyori, enough! That's not the Ichigo you're looking fer'." Shinji's face is swollen with a red marking in the shape of said footwear on his face.

"So, this is the girl who planning to shank Ichigo," Kon drawled. What a monkey-like girl.

Shinji is taken aback by his masculine voice, "Yer' a dude?"

"Gender is a social construct," Kon said flatly, "I can mimic Ichigo's voice."

Like being zapped by lightning, a tremendous spiritual pressure enveloped the whole city. Those who are all sensitive can sense it from miles away. Something different about the Arrancar, it was not like before.

It is clear that they are not the test products Aizen had been sending for the past few days

"We- We should help Ichigo!"

"Whoa, where yer going? Ichigo told ya' to stay." Shinji extended his leg to block the teenagers' path, "Trust me, kid, it's not something ya' can face."

"But we have to try!"

Chad placed his hand on Orihime's shoulder, he shakes his head.

"Glad one of ya' is sensible. Those Hollow are most likely sent here to check things out, there will be no fight. Besides, ya' don't want to die early before facing the big boss, do ya'?"

Orihime's body sagged in disappointment, resigned with the feeling of uselessness.

Shinji sighed. Ya' owe me this one, Ichigo.

"Chill out. Ya' think too much. Do ya' really want to die that badly? Don' worry, yer' young, if ya' wanted battles it'll surely come to ye'."

"Oi, Shinji, I'm still here! Gah!"

Shinji grabbed Hiyori by the back of her collar and drag her with him.

"Those battles will come, even if ya' don' ask fer' it. So get stronger while ya' can."

 


 

On the Eastern side of Karakura City, in the Mitsumiya district, there is a coastal port that can be seen from a hill. Since the East side of Karakura Town borders with Yokohama Prefecture, there are a lot of people here to commute between the two regions.

At the hill, Ichigo saw a giant Arrancar with tan skin, a powerful build, and a ridge-lined cranium, seems doing something with his mouth that seems to suck on people's Souls. Before any Soul can be eaten, she transforms her weapon into a spear and throws it at the giant Arrancar's throat. She let him choke on his blood and people's souls shimmered back into their bodies like slapped from their stupor, wondering what just happened.

She frowned at his thinner companion. Why didn't he help his friend? 

 

Ichigo arrived at the scene, releasing a dread of intimidation within her Reiatsu.

Every human in her vicinity felt the chill and starts running away.

 

The thinner companion is a slender male Arrancar with green eyes, and small slit-shaped pupils, similar to a cat. Part of his bangs fall between his eyes, and he has distinctively thick eyebrows. He has teal lines that descend from the lower part of his eyes. His facial expression rarely changes, which makes his stares seem so disinterested in her. He is not concerned with his bigger companion, who is flailing in incoherent anger and trying to pull out a spear from his throat.

She decided that maybe, those two are not friends at all.

 

"You're Ichigo Kurosaki," He confirmed.

"To whom am I speaking?" Ichigo narrowed her gaze.

"Ulquiorra Cifer," Ulquiorra's tone is bland as unseasoned potato soup does not even address his companion, "Lord Aizen has sent us to kill you." 

Oh, okay, Just that?

... Is what she was going to say if she was trying to be diplomatic.

"Shouldn't you help your friend?"

"No."

Yay, teamwork. 

"Right, excuse me, then." Ichigo grimaced at his blase attitude and pull out her spear nonchalantly from the bigger Arrancar's throat.

There is a reply of garbled angry noises as the Arrancar is ready to pummel her into porridge.

Yeah, piss off.

With a swift movement, she cuts the hand that coming at her. While it was a clean-cut, Ichigo felt the need for extra effort when cutting it. This Arrancar's muscle is hefty.

Unbeknown to Ichigo, the slender Arrancar is actually pretty talkative in his head.

That idiot, I keep telling him to practice reading his opponent's movement, and yet here he lunges like the imbecile he is. Ulquiorra cannot help but be surprised that Ichigo managed to cut Yammy's limb...without Bankai even. Still, at this level, she is no threat to Lord Aizen. 

Seeing Ichigo fight with a spear, however, makes Ulquiorra feel disgusted, which makes no sense because he had no use for such emotion...or any other emotion.

The stances she uses, the way she moves, and the techniques. Shadows of people move in sync with her; a woman with long purple hair and a man with long blue rattail. Why is he seeing this thing? For some reason he despises it.

 

He. I Hate. It. 

 

Ulquiorra's face does not change for a bit despite the words gnawing in his head.

"Looks like you're struggling Yammy, do you want to switch?"

The now-dubbed Yammy turned to Ulquiorra angrily and grab the sword on his hip.

"Is it really necessary to use a Zanpakutou against someone like-"

Ichigo then cuts Yammy's other hand.

Ulquiorra watched as the other hand land on the grass. There's that.

Yammy looked like a child throwing a temper tantrum, with incorrigible speech courtesy of his damaged throat. Ichigo had a feeling that this guy is annoyingly loud if she did not send her spear to disable him. That was a close one though, him reaching for his Zanpakutou, her True Sixth Sense is telling her that it was 'switched on' for something worse; something that can flatten the whole country.

The worse idea that sci-fi movies could come up with is a giant centipede rampaging the city.

 

True Sixth Sense can be troublesome and a blessing at the same time; the good thing was that it gave her a generic description of the opponents and the bad thing was it can be overwhelming which is distracting her focus. 

Why did I agree with Master Scáthach to train this ability again? It made me feel like the World's Bullshit Translator!

Okay so, in front of her is a raging centipede with severed limbs and Batman if he chooses nihilism as the way of life.

What in the world was Aizen thinking mind when creating his soldiers?

Then again who can understand the whim of a megalomaniac? 

 

"Hey, Batman. If Aizen sent you to kill me, shouldn't you raise your sword and start to chop me or something?" Ichigo embeds her spear to the ground, leans on it, and crosses her arms. She can see the corner of his eyes twitch in dislike when she did it, "... Ulquiorra. El que llora. He who cries. Let's get metaphorical then, why are you crying? I mean the tattoo on your face is kinda telling."

"I do not need tears, they're useless."

"Semantic... By the way, is Ulquiorra always your name or did you pick a phrase from a Spanish magazine?"

"What with the idle chatter?"

"Plain grass fields expand over the horizon. Seems like you missed it."

 

Ulquiorra was going to speak only to be cut off by Yammy's howling; a red orb starting to form on his slacking mouth, a Cero, a special one just for Ichigo, who still leaning by her spear, not rattled one bit.

 

A red death ray enveloped the whole area.

 

Ichigo smirked cunningly when a familiar green cloak and an orange top arrived in front of her in a flash.

 

"I almost thought you two wouldn't make it."

"This is yet the stupidest thing you have ever done Kurosaki-san."

Kisuke and Yoruichi arrived in the nick of time. A large crevice that was not there appeared between them and Yammy.

Ichigo transformed her weapon back to its sealed state, "We were just having a little chat, nothing serious happened."

Yoruichi turned to her, giving her a glare of a lifetime, as she found no amusement in the whole situation, "Nothing serious happened?! Why is that Arrancar missing hands then?"

"I cut them off," Ichigo said leisurely.

"No shit!"

"Eyes on the road." 

Ichigo grabbed Yoruichi's head just in time for her to see Yammy coming to pounce on them. Yoruichi acted fast by flipping him upside down. Yammy gets up trying to reach for the cat changeling, but he got kicked in the face as retaliation. She then twirled up in the air, and kicked him down in the head, planting his face on the ground as a result.

"He got thick skin," Yoruichi realized the pain cropping on her leg. Shit, it hurts.

Ichigo unhelpfully made a 'shoo' motion at the Arrancar, "Go back to Aizen and bring back your friend with you. Nothing satisfying for you today, Ulquiorra."

Kisuke and Yoruichi turned to Ichigo like she was insane for speaking the way it is to the enemy.

Ulquiorra's face does not shift.

 

It is crazy to say but Ichigo almost laughs. She thought the whole exchange is too funny!

 

"We were expecting those trashes of yours to join, I suppose you're right, today is a disappointment." Ulquiorra hit Yammy in the stomach, stopping him from attacking the groups once again, "Retreat Yammy, you're not going to win against Kisuke Urahara and Yoruichi Shihouin."

Ulquiorra opened a portal and Yammy begrudgingly follows him. As they disappeared, Ichigo let out a tired sigh. Because the next time Aizen sends his cronies, it will be ten times worse than today.

"Hey, Ulquiorra." Ichigo called.

He turned.

"You smell like seawater."

He left with no reply.

 


 

Arriving at the shop, the moment Ichigo steps into the store she sees a fist coming from Tatsuki and expected it to connect anyway. Except it did not, Shinji stopped her. Tatsuki demands him to let her go but Shinji challenges her to let her go of herself.

How nostalgic, Ichigo used to do the same thing when she was denied in every possible dangerous endeavor; project a little bit of bodily harm and question if their friendship had any meaning.

It was nice being young.

"You should've let her hit me. Affirming one mortality is one of the many ways to convey friendship," Ichigo rubbed her tired eyes.

"Ichigo, are you alright? Did you get hurt? Should I heal you?" Orihime comes in fretting. She looked like she was going to cry.

Chad followed next, as always, he does not say anything. He sent Ichigo a nod.

She nodded back.

"Ichigo, I swear I'm going to-"

Tatsuki came barraging and to everyone's surprise, Ichigo slapped her.

"Go home, all of you. We'll discuss this later."

She walked away without sparing a single glance at them.

 

 

In an empty hallway in Urahara Shop, Ichigo curled up in the corner. She sunk to the floor, crouching while hiding her face behind her hands.

The voices in her head screamed endlessly.

Fuck... Fuck! FUCK!

"Aizen should've thanked me for keeping the world kept existing. I mean where else is his playground going to be."

Why? Why is this happening?!

She fought a Demon God named Goetia who wanted to end humanity's suffering by annihilating every shit in his way.

An obsessed deranged fucktard son of a witch that turned into a wolf.

A lesser version of a gigantic alien sleeping under the soil of the Americas. 

Why cannot she seem able to handle this now?!

"I wasn't alone. I was the weaker one. I was the one who stayed in the background. Now, I did the same thing to my friends."

Ichigo said this to herself. 

She came back, and everything felt different. Everything felt like an illusion. What were her bonds with her friends and her family? What kind of daughter is she? What kind of a friend is she? 

"I hate it when they just throw away their life, do they have no common sense about their own life?! Chad and Orihime are orphans, but Tatsuki has parents. If she died, what do I say to her mom and dad? If Chad and Orihime died, I have to bury them by myself" She sighed tiredly, "...And now, they're going to going to train and risk their lives even harder because they thought they were useless"

The back of Ichigo's head thunked the wood wall of the shop.

"They can't protect me. Not ever. After everything I've done, no redemption can justify my action. They have no idea how many times I've fought, how many times I've killed because some madman started an apocalypse. I don't want to fight Aizen, I don't know him enough to care about what he's going to do to the world."

.

.

.

"So... For what end, you people have to make me fight him?"

 

She did not realize that someone had been listening all this time.

 

 

Yoruichi let Shinji bandage her arm and leg that she was used to attacking Yammy. It was a mistake to fight the Arrancar without her Shunkō, she did not think his skin would be that dense. Those guys are tough, much tougher than they have anticipated. The sliding connected to the living room opened revealing Ichigo.

Ichigo looked around the room for a while, assessing something, before spotting an unknown blonde beside Shinji who shot her a rather brazen gaze.

"Who's this?"

That raised the blonde in a red tracksuit's ire as she blow a hot air out of her nose. A clear sign of a short temper.

Shinji took the liberty to introduce her, "Ichigo meets Hiyori Sarugaki, a fellow Visored." 

"I see. Nice to meet you, Sarugaki-"

"Hiyori."

Ichigo briefly ticked her head to the side at that, "Alright, Hiyori-san... Why are you here?"

"Nun'ya business!" Hiyori bites out. 

"Oh, she's curious about ye- Augh!"

Ichigo watched Hiyori elbow Shinji hard. She huffed amusedly. They truly are a close friend.

"Is there something you wanted to know, Hiyori-san?"

"Ha! Why the heck' ya' assume I wanted to know something from a snotty kid like ya'!"

Honestly, Ichigo had a list of comebacks from that, though she was not that eager to rise Hiyori's ire even more. She decides that she should show it then. Crouching to Hiyori's level of sight and in the next second, the petite blonde with a single jutted-out tooth in her mouth almost grabs the sword on her back when Ichigo shows her pupil turned Hollow-yellow.

"Wha-!"

Ichigo muttered the spell Isa and blow an icy cold air on Hiyori's face. Chuckling as Hiyori stumbled backward.

"Wha-... What was dat'?!"

Ichigo continues chuckling.

"Stop laughing dumbass!"

"Relax. I'm not going to bite."

Ichigo shifts her eyes to return to normal tawny brown.

Now, Hiyori staring at her in bewilderment.

"So, it's true ya' can control it..."

"Why is it that controlling your Hollow is such a hot topic among all of you, treating it as if it's a demonic possession or something."

"Well, yeah. If yer' someone that was being forced for it," Shinji popped out a drawl.

Hmm, maybe it was a bit insensitive on Ichigo's part...

"Why did yer eyes only turn yellow?"

"Yellow?"

"Fer' the Visored, our sclera blackened when we use our Hollow power."

Ichigo briefly scanned around the room once again. Strangely, she did not spot Kisuke anywhere, nor sense his Reiatsu. 

Where is he? Oh well, Maybe he would not mind missing out.

"As I said before, Hirako-san, a conflict of identity. I wonder if this was because you're a Soul Reaper. You guys reflect yourself on a Zanpakutou, thus creating a pseudo spirit for your sword, despite being born from you, they're completely independent, almost another whole person."

"Ar' ye' saying ya' don't?"

"I was never a Soul Reaper nor met one before I met Rukia Kuchiki, so no, before that, I don't have a Zanpakutou and never imprint on one. However, I have the chance of meeting her Zanpakutou Spirit and I can confidently conclude; Zanpakutou Spirits isn't an alter ego, they're more akin to a family member."

"Is that sword of yours...not a Zanpakutou?" Yoruichi questioned, "And what do you mean by an alter ego?"

"Maybe it is. Maybe not. And an alter ego is a simulacrum of oneself." Ichigo smiled mysteriously, "Do tell though, can you differentiate a Zanpakutou and a not-a-Zanpakutou?" 

Everyone blinked in surprise when Ichigo held her hand out and a sword manifested in her hand.

"... What did ya' just do?"

"I summon it."

"From where?"

"From the space where I kept it."

She said like it was the most obvious thing in the room.

"May I see it?" Yoruichi asked for permission.

Ichigo allowed it and hand it over.

Yoruichi inspected the sheathed katana in his hand and frowned in more confusion. The sheaths were more...gallant looking; the blue sageo that adorned it is longer, braided, and tied meticulously; there is a silverish hue on the surface of the sheath. The sword handle is mostly unchanged, still dark, with the sageo tied into a flower at the rear end. She unsheathed the sword and she noticed the flat surface steel, unlike the normal diamond-shaped Shinogi Zukkuri on most Zanpakutou, and the blade is a double-edged Kissaki Moroha Zukkuri.

Compared to normal Asauchi, it is very decorated.

Looking it up close, she noticed that it carries...a character, a distinction like an artist or craftsman put a watermark on their work. It is not Ōetsu Nimaiya's work. It is created by someone who is not Ōetsu Nimaiya and that person specially crafted it for Ichigo, alone.

But that does not make sense. If Ichigo had been slaying Hollow with this sword then how come those Hollow was able to be purified?

After all, Zanpakutou was the only weapon that was able to purify Hollow.

"... Ichigo, what is this?"

Ichigo grabbed her sword back from Yoruichi's hand and dismiss it away to the space where she usually kept it.

"An indifferent weapon."

"Indifferent how?"

"It kills what I need to kill. Don't worry, the Hollow I slew was never destroyed, this weapon still follows the rule of flow of the World." Ichigo's eyes flickered to the Visored in the room before setting her full attention on them, "Now where were we?"

Shinji and Hiyori exchanged a glance.

"Uh...ya' haven't explained about your alter ego?" Shinji said, sounding hesitant.

"I suppose I haven't, don't I?" Ichigo made a motion of acknowledgment with her head, "My alter ego is, none other than, well, me."

Hiyori was going to explode before Ichigo put held up her hand to her in order not to interrupt her.

"My alter ego is my repressed darkness that is able to take shape because of the Hollow that resides within me. They first, appeared in dreams; came to mock me, saying that everything around me is a lie. Said alter ego is eager, taking joy in a fight. Vicious and angry. I don't have the liberty to wield a Zanpakutou, thus through a ritual the alter ego was summoned into reality. I resent my alter ego and disapprove of their existence, even when I was forced into a situation where I have to rely on them for my survival, I still don't accept them. Then I realized, when I don't need to rely on them, I still do what my alter ego will do. That's when I understand what they meant; I was born like this and there is nothing I can do about it." Ichigo then smiled melancholically, "Although, if you think about it, having your inner darkness have a facet so it's able to manifest independently is hard to comprehend. Even more jarring when your teacher said that it was a normal thing to do. It goes down- No, uphill is more fitting, as I train myself to the brink of death and threw myself into the battlefield. Choices were made. Can't say I hate it anymore. I guess resentment toward oneself is pretty pointless when a Christian Demon, a Norse monster, a Sphinx, a Genie, an Oni, and a Zoroastrian Devil are attempting to eat your faces all at the same time."

"What?"

Ichigo lifted her head at Hiyori, "Hmm?"

"The last part, the Christian demon, a Norse monster..."

Wow, saying Christian Demon in a Kansai accent is quite funny. 

"I don't always fight Hollow you know. As I said, my sword is indifferent. Well, not right now, I mean back then."

Everyone thought back to Ichigo's sword and kind of understand what the girl meant by It kills what I need to kill.

 

Even though, Ichigo does not even have the capability to kill a Demon on her own back then. That is all because of her Servants. Her 'superpower' only made a slight difference in the situation. 

 

"So yeah, my process in handling my Hollow may be significantly different than yours. If you feel that summoning your mask gives you a power boost, that's nothing yet. Until you are able to manifest your 'Raiment' that's when you accomplish it."

"A Rainment?" Yoruichi questioned.

"A conceptual body armor. To put it simply, the reason why people choose to pursue this path was for war; they needed their bodies to not get destroyed easily in battle and the hope of achieving Raiment."

"Buy ya' do can shoot Cero, right?" Shinji asked.

"The laser? Yeah, I can. Master Scáthach can actually do it but she loathes it. I mean she zooms faster with her spear rather than shooting lasers out of her hand."

Not to mention passing the habit to her students.

"So about the conflict-"

"It means you guys are still conflicted about yourself. I think I can help you with that, it's not an easy fix but you got to try. Stop suppressing it and bring them out, I'll say it's quite healthy."

"After our effort to suppress it, we have to bring them out again?" Hiyori said in aghast, "That's crazy!"

Ichigo snapped her finger to settle down the aggravation, "Master Scáthach had to guide my Hollow side with hers. Imagine if you're a two-person; you and your Hollow, then there's your teacher and their Hollow. Instruction is a four-way communication here. Trust is paramount. Of course, I'm not stepping into your inner world completely, God no, that's a breach of privacy rights. It's more like the in-between yours and mine. As Hiyori-san said, you have to bring them out again, it would be pointless if it was still inside," She saw all the looks of uncertainty, "This is not something I can give a demonstration, I need consent. Keep in mind that I never did this to anyone, if you accept, it'll be first on my teaching resume."

"What about a test subject?"

"You're volunteering?" Ichigo raised one of her eyebrows at Shinji, "I'm surprised you agree."

"I'm on ma' edge. Bring it on."

 

Notes:

Yeet is a 2014 thing, a decade in the future. Ichigo is currently in 2004, the anime debut timeline.

What's the twist that awaits Ulquiorra? I can tell you that Cú Chulainn is sweating bullets up there at the Throne of Heroes.

To take into the context of FF magic, Ichigo is more suited to Black Magic rather than White Magic; she's more comfortable at casting Ice, Fire, and Thunder than Wind and Earth. I suppose in Fate Lore, this is Formalcraft, it is popular among Magi who lack power because of weak bloodlines, and, knowledge is a strong requirement. Ayaka Sajyou called it "Thaumaturgy for dummies." This is funny because it is indirectly implied that in this fanfic, FF element-based magic IS a "Thaumaturgy for dummies" (Despite in larger context, it actually isn't).

Chapter 32: The Greater Obeisance

Summary:

"Do you think if Aizen sells radishes, he would be a saner person? I think he would be a great farmer," Said Ichigo to a mole rat in a kindergarten yard.
"Chirp"
"Yeah, I guess not."

Notes:

Ichigo: Thank God none of them are telepathic. No one will know what a mess my mind is.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Shinji did not attend class today.

Traitor.

He knew the cavalry from Soul Society would arrive, so he ditched school at the best moment that existed, leaving Ichigo alone to deal with them. Kisuke must have told him. Who else can get news of the will-be-stationed officers and make the whole school forget that Shinji Hirako was ever a high school at Karakura High School?

Never mind, they're both class traitors.

Not that Shinji had a lot of choices since he is a fugitive.

Wait, is Kisuke still counted as a fugitive too even though the Gotei knew that he was helping us invade Soul Society?

.

Ichigo snapped her fingers, particularly to no one but herself to signal her mind to switch her ideas.

.

Anyway!

 

Ichigo leaned by her chair and rested her hands behind her head, giving out a thoughtful hum.

It was annoying that Soul Reaper aged like the Elves from Tolkien's books. Several hundred years old and still passable as teenagers. Yet subtlety does not seem on their page of the book.

Whose idea that they just have to be a High School student and it has to be Ichigo's class of all classrooms? Just because they are dead, that does not give them an excuse to screw around on human public property!

Not that Ichigo is ungrateful. At least, it would not be boring for a while... Karakura has been getting a little chummy around. 

The team that was dispatched consisted of; Rukia, Renji, Ikkaku, Yumichika, Matsumoto-san, and the captain who has a dragon as a Zanpakutou spirit; Captain of the Tenth Division, Tōshirō Hitsugaya. The latter was appointed as the leader. 

 

Tōshirō Hitsugaya...

 

How should Ichigo put it, that Zanpakutou's spirit of his, is it a dragon with a capital 'D' or just a dragon?

Thanks to her True Sixth Sense, she was able to figure out the shape of the spirit. He is a different existence than Sode no Shirayuki, somewhat higher and yet, not high enough to gain an 'Authority'.

Unlike Sode no Shirayuki which is always looked human, it seems that Hyōrinmaru was able to take a more humanized form. His dragon form is purely out of ice and more snake-like in appearance.

Perhaps he is not a True Dragon since he is a sword spirit? Maybe more in the Mononoke class?

Oryou-san herself is powerful enough despite being one step behind a Dragon Kind.

Tōshirō's Reiatsu is also distinctively unique on its own as it carries an independent element; the element of ice; making him a complete set of match with his Zanpakutou. Not even Rukia is like that despite wielding Sode no Shirayuki as a Zanpakutou. The small white-haired captain is literally in a different class from the rest of the other Soul Reapers, though yet at the same time, he is not an Elemental, his potential to become an embodiment of ice is supported by his weapon.

Could he be a Dragon incarnation like Artoria or her uncle, Vortigern?

If he does, Ichigo hopes he is not flying above her home country's sky anytime soon, reckoning whatever fate or destiny awaits the country; like casting an eternal winter or whatever.

 

The thing is, in East Asia, Dragon is considered to be a Divine Existence... Well, was a Divine Existence, as they do not exist anymore, as they retreated to the Reverse Side of the World. Modern Dragon is mostly a lingering factor left by True Dragon and has become nothing more than "dragon territories" while maintaining their territories.

The last Pure-Blooded Dragon was The Dragon of Albion; the being did not follow their kind to retreat to The Reverse Side of The World and eventually died trying to dig its way to the other side, his corpse formed the Spiritual Tomb of Albion that used by the Clock Tower as a foundation.

With this fact alone, Ichigo knew Britain is a whole other shithole. It will take her to fly there so she can pull a comparison with Japan.

Seriously, before Chaldea, the reason why she wanted to visit England was that Shakespeare came from there.

What if the moment she set her feet at Heathrow Airport, all she saw was a gigantic ghost of an ancient reptilian?!

Or worse, the Fae Folks. Still, she cursed that one particular Lostbelt to this day.

 

Damned Fairies, they ruined my life! 

 

It is the 20th century, the hallmark of two thousand years of the end of the Age of God; mythical creatures should not be able to exist anymore in modern times, and yet Gaia is a fucking liar, who is fond to create an exception by depending on the country.

Then again, the existence of a dimension that parallels Earth in which its military organization armed its soldiers with magic swords should not exist either...

 

Why cannot the world make sense anymore?!

 

"Kurosaki, are you listening?" Tōshirō grunted.

Ichigo blinked at him. Tōshirō is the only one who refuses to cooperate with his subordinates in crawling into Ichigo's room like some freaks, opting to come in by the window instead. While Renji, Rangiku, Ikkaku, and Yumichika were crawling inside the ceiling before dropping in from the hole of her bedroom lamp and proceeding to break the lamp cover when landed.

Thank you very much all of you, like I don't need lights in my goddamn bedroom.

Ichigo likes Tōshirō. Man is polite.

"I'm always listening; the moment you guys crawl on my ceiling, pop down into my room, Rukia's explanation about Arrancar, why did the Commander choose you guys specifically. I'm listening to all of it," She had the right to be sarcastic. Housing all of these Soul Reapers in her bedroom is an invitation to a giant headache.

She opted to listen to Tōshirō not quite tentatively, opting to filter his words by judging how high or low the tone he used. Hmm, what was that? He was telling her that Aizen is interested in her not in the romantic way?

What an asshole. Regardless of pursuing the romance or not, at least buy her dinner first. Initiating a coup as a courting method, and sending his underling to stalk her was a dick move.

As they say in Rome; His photo on Tinder might be suave but he is a trademark bastard. 

"Tinder doesn't exist yet." Fray popped up.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious." Ichigo inwardly chided. Looking to the side, she saw Kon crushed by Rukia's arm. Normally he would be happy in this circumstance but since Ichigo changed his form into something that owns flesh, it seems he starting to regret his choices, "Rukia, stop coddling Kon like that, he's not your favorite parody of a rabbit doll character."

"He's so cute! Can I take him home?" Rukia begged. Somehow does not realize that Chappy is being lowkey insulted.

"No. Make your own." Ichigo snatched away Kon from the petite Soul Reaper. By the way, speaking of home, "I assume you guys are not going to get back until the Arrancar problem is over, right? Where are you all planning to stay? Coming to the Human World is fine but there's no way all of you are going to stay here."

"What? Then what good are you?" Rangiku whined.

"I don't run everything in this house, go ask my father for permission. You're not as invisible as you think in this house. Seeing ghosts is a lineage in my family."

"Wait!" Rukia's eyes widened in surprise, "Are you saying after all this time your family knew that I've been sleeping in your closet?!"

In Isshin's case. Yes. Contrary to his belief, the man is not the greatest actor he thought he was. Giving Ichigo one certain clue that he was, after all, a Soul Reaper from Soul Society.

In Karin and Yuzu's case. No. Ichigo's sisters did not know that Rukia had been living in their older sister's closet. Not until she told them all about the stuff that had been going on after coming back from Soul Society.

The twin does not need to be told twice about not revealing the conversation to their father, considering his pretentious antics when they talk about the supernatural. Besides, if their father can keep secrets from them why not his daughters?

If people start calling Ichigo that she, did it for some petty revenge, that is when she is going to break their bones.

Honestly, give her a damn break.

"All of your family members are spiritually aware?" Tōshirō asked. 

Ichigo blinked at him again, face stoic, "Yes." 

Tōshirō's looked bothered before he returned equally stoic in a flash.

"This is Karakura. When we see things, we don't understand, we keep our mouths shut." You better learn fast that this town isn't normal, Little Dragon.

 

Correction.

Japan is not normal as a whole.

 

Damn, are these people really a hundred years old Soul Reapers? How come they didn't know how batshit one of their workplace is?

 

People who are spiritually aware in Japan are among the two percent in the world and that is quite a lot despite the population being low compared to its neighbors. East Asia makes up twenty-five percent as a whole. The Age of Gods lasted longer in Japan compared to the rest of the world, withering, but the divinity still has its seats.

The Japanese Magi connect to fragments of Gods called Divine Bodies which are fully formed organs of Gods to perform Hakushu. 

A simple example is performing several claps methodically. Like praying. Japanese people often do this when doing Hatsumōde. While technically performing Magecraft, most modern humans are devoid of magic, no actual 'miraculous event' will be able to manifest. 

Still, why would the Soul Reaper be that unaware of spiritually aware humans? They are not that rare. Really, they are not.

Ichigo imagines they are going to have collective heart attacks when they find a secret society dedicated to spiritually aware humans.

Well, either the Gotei data collection is shit or they respect privacy.

Which division handles Shibuya anyway? That special ward of Tokyo is infested with Wraiths.

Clearly, someone has not been doing their job.

 

"Though I'm sure my old man wouldn't mind having you guys around, he quite enjoys having people around. I'm sure I can reason-"

"That's fine. We can take care of our accommodation by ourselves," Tōshirō cuts in.

Rangiku frowned, "... We d-"

She clamped her mouth when her captain shot her a glare.

"Right, of course, we do! See you, Ichigo!"

Ichigo cocked her head to the side, feigning ignorance. Inside, however, she is smirking. These two definitely knew who Goat-Face was on a personal level.

 

In the end, only Rukia will live with Ichigo by taking her old bed spot in the closet. Renji decided to go to the Urahara Shop; Rangiku and Tōshirō went to Orihime's, which is good since Ichigo thought that the girl needed some company; Ikkaku and Yumichika went to God Knows whereas they did not elaborate.

 

Ichigo rolled her eyes hard at the flickering presence outside her bedroom. There goes her attempt trying to oust her father who had been eavesdropping by the door the whole time.

"Kurosaki."

She heard Tōshirō's alto voice calling her. He is dangling by the windowsill as if pausing himself before jumping out. He is giving her these shifty eyes that she could not particularly translate. He glanced at the door for a second before his attention went back to her.

"Is there something else you forgot to convey to me?" Ichigo inquired.

"... Never mind."

He jumped away.

Never mind indeed.

Ichigo felt her phone vibrate and saw who sent the message. It is Kisuke but she saved it under the name, Impulsive Asshat.

People were kind of annoyed that Ichigo did not tell anyone that she owned a phone. Shinji is especially miffed because that means he does not need to go after her whenever they want to talk.

For now, she has Merlin's, Kisuke's, Yoruichi's, Shinji's, and Mizuiro's numbers saved.

Dear me, it's mostly boys, any normal father would've freaked out. Good thing that my old man is far from normal and he's a hypocrite. Let me guess, he freaked out and called the shopkeeper for extra surveillance, in case he was being investigated by the Soul Reapers. Predictable.

 

From Impulsive Asshat,

To Ichigo:

Kurosaki-san, I know what you're doing. Please, refrain from doing it again, you're adding too much work for me.

 

Ichigo wondered why she turned into an unfilial child to her parent. It is so hard to communicate with her father. Should she arrange family counseling? Yeah, sure. She will arrange it purely out of curiosity about how that goes down.

Hey, so my dad always hit me every time I woke up in the morning or came home from school if I told him to stop doing that, he said I was being a coward, then ranted about the benefits of always staying alert.

Sure! Like her training with Master Scáthach did not teach her the definition of staying alert.

I'll show you staying alert when a Lovecraftian monster bangs the front door, Goat Face!

Isshin's habit of surprise attacks becomes too dull for her to deal with. She did not even bother letting it connect, opting to let his kick or body launch pass through the door and lock him outside. Yuzu is too kind-hearted to let him inside.

Seriously, did he think it was good character-building?

 

From Ichigo,

To Impulsive Asshat:

It's not adding too much work if you ignore it.

 

Ichigo sighed as she pocketed her phone, "Damn... I really am a bad child, am I?"

 


 

"Huh, you want to crash here for a while?" Orihime standing by the door of her apartment, "Sure I guess--Aw aw aw aw!"

Rangiku gave the girl a crushing hug, "Thank you Orihime! I know you won't let us down! Can I borrow your bathtub? Today is so hot, I'm sweating all over! Wanna join me for a dip?"

"Aw aw. I've already taken a bath!"

Rangiku stopped her action and looked up to the roof of the unit, "If you have nowhere else to go, you can come in."

"Shut up..." Tōshirō grunted.

 

It was fortunate Orihime's apartment was large enough to house three people, Rangiku would sleep with her while Tōshirō took a spare room. They take turns taking a bath, Tōshirō takes a quick shower, most likely because he refused to dwindle around at anything, while his lieutenant decided to take a long dip.

Rangiku knows Orihime is across the divider in the bathroom. Silent and gloomy.

"What's been bothering you?"

"Wha-? What do you mean, Rangiku-san, I'm fine." Orihime rebukes, clearly failing at it as she stutters out.

"Orihime, you're a bad liar, you know that. Come on, spill. I'm an amazing adviser!"

Orihime told her about yesterday, when Ichigo barred her, Tatsuki, and Chad from helping her to fight the Arrancars.  

"Since Ichigo is much more powerful, maybe she thought that we were a hindrance or something..." She trailed off.

Rangiku crossed her arms and let out a big huff, "Orihime, did you know, technically Soul Society is not allowed to let Ichigo act as a substitute for Karakura? They did it so they could monitor her. We put her in a bind. It's not every day that someone like Ichigo exists. In my opinion, I think Ichigo did the right thing by preventing you from fighting the Arrancar. If anything happens to you, I don't know what she would've done." 

"What? I thought Soul Society saw Ichigo as a friend," Orihime blinked in surprise, "Are you saying Ichigo is not supposed to be a Substitute Soul Reaper?"

"There's no such thing as Substitute Soul Reaper." Rangiku answered sincerely, "Soul Reapers are soldiers. We train our bodies, take up swords, and learn Kidō to protect humans like you. It's not because we wanted to but because it's our duty. We took an oath to protect the realm; not you, or your friends. We were the ones who were supposed to protect you from these threats. Just so you know, Ichigo didn't fight the Arrancar. She talked to them, and they left. Tell me, honestly, if Ichigo didn't stop you, what were you going to do?"

"... I... I-"

"You'll fight them?"

That is quite obvious, is it not?

But Orihime did not say anything.

"That's foolish."

"But I have to try. We have to try! I have this power; I should use it to do some good. To help my friends!" Orihime refuted.

Rangiku did not say anything for a while, then sighed, "Orihime, don't fight just because you feel useless. To be fair, you wouldn't know any better. It's not as simple as doing some good or helping your friends, it's about choosing your battle." She closed her eyes in resignation, "Which is why Ichigo decided to take responsibility for you and the others. Though... I admit it'll be harder to understand her when she's lying."

Lying? 

Orihime shifted from her position, she could hear the sound of splashing when Rangiku played with the water in the bathtub.

"What...do you mean by lying?"

"When I saw her for the first time, I was surprised that she turned out to be a human teenager, I thought she was at least several hundred years old. Just simply standing in front of her, you can feel her strength, on par with some of the captains," Rangiku's tone turned somber, "And yet at the same time... It's quite a gossip at Seiretei. We thought she was a lost Soul Reaper from a war a long time ago that never came back."

"Wait, hold on. What are you saying? Ichigo's-"

"You said, you need at least try facing the Arrancar, but not for Ichigo. She knew you wouldn't survive; she knew that by experience, and within that experience, blood spilled, either she or someone else doing."

Orihime does not understand the implication.

"I'm saying she had killed before."

Her breath hitched and remembered her training during the previous Summer. Ichigo's only condition about the training was that she and the others were not allowed to know how Ichigo became so good at fighting. She does not quite understand that Ichigo was trained by Urahara, and before that, she used to fight delinquents around Karakura.

She does not get it. Ichigo is a good person, despite her brash attitude, she would never hurt someone until it is out of the line. So, what did Rangiku mean by Ichigo had killed before?

But...

She knew that there was something different about Ichigo; She was always scowling, but now, her face seemed to smooth, and smiling more often. Although Chad supplied that his best friend seemed to be more lethal than before.

Tatsuki was the one who almost thought that someone else had been possessing the body of her childhood friend and Kon was not even in the picture yet; she had been saying that ever since the first day of high school.

Orihime was not Ichigo's best friend or childhood friend, so she does not have the extent of familiarity as Chad or Tatsuki.

To think that Ichigo had been hiding something from her oldest friends even...

Rangiku gets out of the bathtub and pats Orihime's head, "Ichigo never wanted to push you away, she's preventing you from turning into her. Unlike you who doesn't want anybody to get hurt, Ichigo's the opposite, and she wanted you to stay like that. She wanted you to never lose that ideal." Rangiku embraced Orhime to her side so the brunette's head rested on her shoulder, "She just doesn't want to lose you early."

"Rangiku-san... why did you think that Ichigo was hiding something?"

"Well, this isn't my words though, I'm only repeating what Captain Ukitake said," Rangiku hummed, "No child should have those eyes."

"Eyes?"

"The eyes who have seen war."

 


 

Personally, Tōshirō does not have a solid opinion of Ichigo Kurosaki.

At first, she was simply a Ryoka, an invader. Nothing more. Then said invader fought Captain Zaraki and lives, fought Captain Kyouraku and lives, somehow manages to get half of the Gotei to her side to save Rukia Kuchiki and had a hand in unveiling a coup that was courtesy of Aizen.

The first time he saw her was from afar. He was on his way to check on Hinamori when he saw a band of former Ryoka, which consisted of human teenagers (at the time, this was something he still could not wrap his head around), walking together; lighthearted conversation and sharing jokes at each other; although he could see that Ichigo was not quite engaging, then he can literally her eyeball moved at his direction.

If he was not part of a military garrison that deals with quirky situations, he would say that it was quite eerie.

She is looking at him. Acknowledge him. Knew that he was looking at her.

He can feel it through the gaze.

She nodded at him before she set her attention on her friends again.

 

The second time was when Captain Kyouraku dragged him out from his paperwork to tail on Ichigo Kurosaki. Kyouraku may be looked as if he was being unreasonable, but the man was one the pupils of the captain-commander, and there was always an underlying meaning behind his antique. Apparently, Tōshirō was accompanying the man to observe Ichigo Kurosaki.

She was going to the Seireitei's southern market district by herself. They tail her until she arrived at said district and she was doing nothing out of the ordinary. She was simply sightseeing, a small interaction with a stray ball but still, nothing weird.

Kyouraku decided that it was time to come out of their hiding place and greet her. The two made small talk before her eyes fully set on him. Kyouraku introduced Tōshirō, together with the addition of the childish gesture of petting his head.

 

Toshirō sighed to defuse himself, he stretched out his hand, "Toshirō Hitsugaya, I led the Tenth Division."

Ichigo accepted the handshake, "Nice to meet you, I'm Ichigo Kurosaki."

"I know."

"Cool."

Toshirō blinked.

Ichigo did not.

 

She was neither polite nor impolite. Make sense, since it was their first time having a genuine conversation. Her handshake though, was rigid. Like a seasoned Soul Reaper officer.

This is weird, considering that she was supposed to be a human teenager, not that a human was not strong or anything, but something was not right about her.

Ichigo Kurosaki was not like her fellow Ryoka.

Kyouraku confirmed that he was correct.

 

"And what else?" Kyouraku continued.

"What...else?" Toshirō frowned.

"Do you notice that she was able to navigate herself, without asking anyone, to get to the northern district  market?"

"... I suppose. However, even if we consider her for spying, that's not enough reason. Her benefactor could've simply told her."

Kyouraku let out a low hum and nodded.

 

After that, they call it a day.

 

The third time was when Tōshirō was hunting for Rangiku to finish her paperwork. Only to find her drunk with Captain Kyouraku, Orihime Inoue, and a completely sober Ichigo.

He was almost taken aback. Ichigo Kurosaki, a minor in Seireitei standard (practically a child in age soul) and a minor even in human standard, outdrinks Captain Kyouraku and Rangiku.

She apologized to him, excused herself for the night, and told him that she would be taking Orihime to the Fourth Division so she could deal with the hangover the next morning; not before downing the cup of sake in her hand, right in front of him, and carried her friend out.

He whispered to himself a small 'what the fuck' as she finally out of the hearing range.

 

After that, he never met her again around Seireitei. Sure, he heard that Kenpachi was quite fond of chasing her around, asking for a rematch. One of them was that Kenpachi crashed Kuchiki's calligraphy class after he was told that Ichigo was attending. Despite finding her, it was Kuchiki who fought him out of annoyance.

Tōshirō thought that the incident was pretty funny, not that he outrightly said that to the captain of the Sixth Division.

Sometimes after sending the Ryoka away to their home world, Tōshirō found himself in a conversation with Byakuya Kuchiki about Ichigo. From him, he realized something common, Ichigo never said their name nor addressed them in any sort of way. When Orihime blatantly called him Tōshirō-kun, he thought maybe Ichigo was the same. 

Ichigo never attempted to start a conversation or address him and Kuchiki. Ever. Only if they were the ones who addressed her, that was when she responded. But it was always 'Yes?' and simply turned in their direction. In the middle of the conversation, not once had she ever said their names.

She said 'Kyouraku-san' 'Ukitake-san' Rangiku-san' just fine, she was casual with Renji, Rukia, Ikkaku, and Yumichika; Kenpachi too, though everyone knows that the brute does not care even if someone butchered his name; but he and Kuchiki was an exception.

Forget being called 'Captain Kuchki' and 'Captain Hitsugaya', 'Kuchiki-san' or 'Hitsugaya-san' was never uttered.

Though, Kuchiki had a good impression of Ichigo despite their previous antagonistic hurdles, even straight out said that the girl is friendly and never overstepping her boundaries.

They left it at that because it was not that big of a deal.

 

Then he was assigned leader to the team that was going to be sent to the Human World regarding the Arrancar problem. Before heading out, imagine his surprise when Kuchiki visited him. His surprise was doubled when Kuchiki inquired about his old captain, Isshin Shiba.

 

"My grandaunt married a Shiba, Isshin Shiba is her third born."

 

Tōshirō did not know that. The only family relation that Captain Isshin Shiba ever told was that he and the late Lieutenant Kaien Shiba were uncle and nephew. Kaien was his late older brother's son. And there was the late Hiroko Shiba, who was a captain of the Tenth Division sixty years ago. His parents though, were never brought up.

He asked Kuchiki why is this relevant, and his reply was; You'll see.

 

And see he shall have.

Conspicuously, of course, from the sky high up.

A familiar man exited the Kurosaki residence.

 

Isshin Shiba. Now known as Isshin Kurosaki.

He is Ichigo's father.

He has three kids to be exact, the other two are named Karin and Yuzu.

 

Tōshirō was not particularly angry or anything, he and Rangiku can agree that the man has moved on. He cannot say the same thing for his extended family though, especially Isshin's mother, to think that her son was alive this whole time.

The next realization was that Byakuya Kuchiki and Ichigo Kurosaki are related; first cousins once removed, to be exact.

 

Huh.

 

 

"Though I'm sure my old man wouldn't mind having you guys around, he quite enjoys having people around. I'm sure I can reason-"

 

Tōshirō almost reeled at Ichigo's implication and Rangiku was really not being helpful!

Ichigo is baiting them to her own father. Does she not know that what her father has done was breaking the law, therefore he had to hide himself from Soul Society. Why is she- Wait, could it be that she does not know that her father was a Soul Reaper?

Tōshirō sensed the flickering yet familiar Reiatsu that is his former captain from behind Ichigo's bedroom door.

... Is he eavesdropping?

Something is definitely wrong with this father-daughter pair. Ichigo was not just baiting, she was testing, trying to prove something. 

 

Here he is now, lying at the top of Orihime Inoue's apartment unit, looking up at the night sky, and dialing a number.

: Kuchiki, speaking.:

"Why did you tell me that Captain Shiba is your grandaunt's son?" Tōshirō asked steadily.

: Rest assured; I'm not trying to drag you into my family drama. I just need the confirmation that the man is indeed alive.:

Oh, so that is what he is for.

"... She's your cousin."

: I know. My grandaunt said that she looked like the late Aunt Hiroko... I was skeptical but this confirms it.:

"Okay, since you said you're not trying to drag me into your family drama then I won't tell you anything." I'm not going to tell you what I suspected about Ichigo's relationship with her father.

: That's fine.:

"How do you feel knowing the Ryoka that stormed into Soul Society is your cousin?"

: The one who helped her break into Seireitei is also her cousins, with a closer blood relation too.:

Touché.

 


 

Ichigo had been at a cafe for hours, reading The Count of Monte Cristo because she seldom stays home. Lately, her sisters tend to never stay at home until it is time to prepare dinner, but she sometimes chooses to never go home at all. 

Some of the time she slept at the Shōten but to prevent herself from looking like a permanent resident there, like a homeless person, she slept everywhere. Sleeping under the star was a habit she developed during Chaldea.

The home had been stuffy ever since she came back from Soul Society.

 

... Ever since she came back from Chaldea...

 

She sighed while petting Kon on her lap, sipping her coffee.

Rukia is beside her, typing on her phone, and at the same time spooning food into her mouth. Turns out, the petite Soul Reaper has a massive sweet tooth.

Taking Rukia into a cafe was almost a spectacle itself. The petite Soul Reaper ordered an elaborate parfait and when it arrived, with starry eyes, she declared boldly what a fine establishment this place is, making the waitress scurried away from their table as fast as she could.

It is amusing to see Rukia eating said food as slowly as possible beforehand, as not want it to disappear too soon into her stomach. She felt bad for warning Rukia that the melting ice cream would soggy the biscuit and cake in the concoction, leading to the worsening taste.

Brain freeze ensues and after that Rukia ate it steadily.

 

When Ichigo feels the shift in the sky, she calmly sips her coffee till it's spent. A Garganta is going to appear again in the Human World. She closed her book, stored it in her bag, and glanced at Rukia, waiting for the warning from Seireitei to come into her phone.

Wait for it... Wait for it...

Rukia suddenly got up from her seat, "This Reiatsu! Ichigo, it's the Arrancar!"

And let the rodeo begin!

Ichigo put down some bills for the coffee and parfait.

"One... Three... Six of them?! This many?!"

"Where are they heading?" Ichigo signals Kon to take over her body.

"They're searching for every spiritual signature, it's meant regardless of who they are if they have quite a Reiatsu, they're gonna kill them. This is a massacre!"

Ichigo is skeptical. Initiating a massacre by only sending six people seems to be a waste of resources for Aizen. She may not know him personally, but he gave off the vibe of being patient and effective.

Besides it is too messy. Therefore, this is probably an insubordination.

"How far are they from Chad, Orihime, and Tatsuki?"

"There's Captain Hitsugaya and Lieutenant Matsumoto at Orihime's, Tatsuki's house is --Shit, one of them is near Chad." 

"Chad can handle it for a while, can't kill them though." Ichigo calmly walked out of the cafe.

"Chad can fight an Arrancar? Are you sure?"

"Let's see, the Arrancar can step on the air like a Soul Reaper, basically like flying, right?" 

"Yes- Why? Is that important?" Rukia is not sure where this is going.

"Not by a long shot. Don't worry he got everything he needs."

Ichigo did not say that teaching her best friend Jacob's Limb, the old method of hand-to-hand combat can triumph even over an Archangel, is one of the many ways to fight an able-flying opponent, even if it lacks the feathery limb on the back. If Arrancar can 'fly' like Soul Reaper, then it is a lethal method to take them down.

When they float, ground them in the dirt.

 

Chad can see the hand that coming toward him, it is going to stab him, and he can see it. He caught it and used the technique that was taught by Ichigo to throw his opponent away. He was not sure if Ichigo was joking or not when she was going to teach him a deadly martial art that can prevail against an Angel, but he was convinced now. He is not going to waste all of that training.

The Hollow, who looked too much like a person, cursed and went at him again. He caught the clawed hand again, twisted it to the Hollow's back, then pinned him down to the ground.

"Don't get ahead of yourself!" The Hollow snarled.

The Hollow pushed himself, contorting his body and bringing his other hand and aim at Chad's skull. Due to the Hollow's unprecedented agility, he is completely not prepared or even react to it.

"Let him go and take two steps back." A familiar voice said.

Chad does it and the Hollows had missed him by a hairline.

An orange blur descends at high speed to ground the Hollow to the ground again, the road is cracking by the force.

"Well done, Chad. We take it from here."

Ichigo looked down to look at the Arrancar, the bone structure on his head making him as if he wore a weird helmet, "Hey, what's your name?"

The Arrancar turned his head, "I'm going to kill you!"

"Uh-huh."

A white circle started to appear around the Arrancar, starting to freeze his body, Ichigo jumped away before she too got caught by the fractals.

"Some no mai, Tsukishiro!" Rukia declared.

The circle not only freezes the ground but everything within the circle's influence, including anything above it up in the air, creating an extending pillar of light that freezes everything within the circle. Shortly after being frozen, the victim shatters along with the ice.

"It's too bad we don't get his name," Ichigo commented. She proceeds to dodge Rukia's hyperactive Gikon who ends her sentences with the word pyon.

Despite Rukia's being adamant about it being a rabbit, her personality is akin to an excited beagle dog. Ichigo holds back the Gikon by the forehead, preventing their hand from reaching her.

"This is the Gikongan you want, the Chappy one, if you call this cute then you need help Rukia."

Anyone who decides to choose and thinks Chappy is cute needs help.

Chappy? More like Chatty.

"How could you?" Rukia gasped, feeling offended, "Chappy is an epitome of cuteness, maybe you're the one who has worse taste!"

"Oh, you want to compare The Tale of Peter Rabbit by Beatrix Potter to your Chappy, then? Do it, I dare you." Ichigo sticks her tongue out, "His battle with the farmer Mr. Mcgregor is legendary!"

What kind of conversation is this?

Chad helplessly watched the two arguing.

"Uh, Ichigo what's going on?"

"Seriously, I thought Urahara-san at least informed you about the Arrancar. Remember about yesterday when I forbid you to fight, it's these guys. Aizen sent them. It said they're the strongest evolution that Hollow can achieve," Ichigo purposely left out mentioning the traces of Hōgyoku on them, suggesting the forced evolution was done by the magic marble. "Today, it seems the Arrancars are planning on having a bonfire by attacking anybody who has Reiatsu more than the normal amount."

"Wouldn't your family also be targeted?"

Not with the numerous barriers Ichigo put around the house. No, they would not. Let alone notice it.

"They're only six of them and looking by the radar, it seems the other already intercepted them, considering that Rukia already killed one, that's one down five to go."

There is something heavy inside Chad's chest when he sees how calm Ichigo is about the whole situation, "... Ichigo, I-"

Ichigo caught in time the hand that was trying to rip her back. He is a muscular man with light blue spiky hair and light blue eyes, the latter including green lines below them, similar to the eye markings on the Panthera genus of cats. The remains of his Hollow mask consist of the right jawbone and his Hollow hole is located on his abdomen.

"Oh! So, I guess you're the stronger one!" He cackled.

"I-I don't even see him coming!" Rukia said as she out from her stupor, "Ichigo-"

"Rukia takes Chad away from here, go gather at Orihime's apartment. He's here for me." Ichigo gritted her teeth at the blue-haired Arrancar. Both of their arms are starting to shake, trying to win each other by strength, "Go, now!"

Chad wanted to interject but Rukia stopped him, giving a slight shake of her head, a silent answer that it was no use to object to Ichigo's order. With that, Chad relented. He and Rukia run away from the sanctioned battleground.

 

"Are we leaving her alone fighting that guy?" Chad asked.

"I'm sorry, Chad, I know you two had each other back for a long time but Ichigo's right, you're not strong enough to handle that Arrancar."

"No, I know... I..."

Rukia wisely kept quiet the whole time.

 

"Let me guess, Ulquiorra told you about me and sees me as a challenge?" 

Veins start to appear on Ichigo and the Arrancar's hands for not wanting to give up. Who knows how long they are going to keep this up? 

"Ha! You think I see you as a challenge. I don't quite feel like killing you yet!" The Arrancar grinned.

"Ha? Then what's with the massacre you are planning then?!" A vein appeared on Ichigo's forehead, "Spending the whole day killing and whatnot just shows how lame you are. I'll let you know that Japan is a constitutional country. Do you know what happens when you kill someone? You go to fucking jail!"

"What the fuck are you spewing about?!"

"Go be a normal law-abiding citizen you fucker!"

"Whatever! Just show me your Bankai, I know you have one! It's disappointing that you didn't show it when Ulquiorra shared his report!"

"Crossing the interdimensional time-space and all you want to see it's my Bankai? I'm not a mannequin, you bastard!"

The Arrancar finally loses his patience and raises his other fist at Ichigo's face, as it connects, she flies backward for numerous inches. However, turns out Ichigo raises her hand to block it, and her whole arm covers half of her face, when she finally sets it down, it shows one of her eyes turned Hollow-yellow.

The Arrancar raised his eyebrows in fascination and smirked, "So you've been keeping secrets, huh!"

"It's called having a certain grace. I don't need my opponent to know everything about me," Ichigo places her hand on her katana's tsuba, "Unless we resort to sword fighting." 

"Sounds good to me!"

Ichigo senses the shift in the air, another portal is open. Is it a backup?

Suddenly, before the Arrancar can even unsheath his sword, from behind, tapping his shoulder lightly is the captain who deserted with Aizen, Kaname Tōsen.

"Grimmjow, sheath your sword."

"Tōsen, why are you here?!" The now-dubbed Grimmjow viciously hissed at Tōsen.

"Look his Nanny's here!" Fray clapped his hand.

"Fray, please," Ichigo mentally face-palmed, trying not to laugh.

"Why? Do you not understand?" Tōsen starts to list every single rule that Grimmjow breaks, "Taking it upon yourself to invade the World of The Living, mobilizing five Arrancar without permission, attacking Soul Reaper. All against an order. Do you finally understand? Aizen-sama is furious. Your punishment will be decided in Hueco Mundo."

"Shit, fine!" Grimmjow turned around, "Our unfinished fight, spared your life Soul Reaper! I'll fight you with my Resurrección and kill you! Do not forget my name and pray you'll never hear it a second time, Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez!"

And with that, the portal closed.

 

Renji, in his injured state, sees Ichigo looking up in the sky, silence in her whole being, "Did you lose?" 

"..."

"Ichigo?"

"I DON'T GIVE A SHIT! I REFUSE YOU BECOMING MY PROBLEM!"

Renji flinched horribly. Ow, I think I worsened my fractured rib.

"Sorry, it's the Arrancar, Grimmjow, he's- Why is everybody that I know have this mentality?!" Ichigo massaged the bridge of her nose, "No, I didn't lose or win, I mean I don't even know what that fight was supposed to be! A guy named Tōsen shows up and takes him back to Hueco Mundo. Today's attack wasn't by Aizen's order, his subordinates were just being naughty."

"Al.....right..." Renji said, "... You good?"

"I'm good," Ichigo noticed Renji's injury, "You're hurt."

"Nothing I can handle."

"Nonsense, I know what a broken rib looked like. Sit down and let me assess you."

Renji grunted as Ichigo helped him sit and lean his body on a nearby tree.

"I didn't know you're a healer too..."

"Drink this, it'll speed up your recovery," Ichigo took out a bottle of pills that Kisuke gave her to speed up her healing during her power-awakening training, "There's a lot of things you don't know about me; like one of my mentors was a crazed-obsessive nurse." 

"... What?"

"Don't worry about it."

 


 

Ichigo leaves her house at 03:00 A. M, texting Shinji that she is coming. If Goat-Face waved off the fact that his eldest daughter was gone by the morning and did not mind her being absent from school, that means he knows about her supposed Hollow problem. Ichigo bid her goodbye to the twins from their bedroom window, telling them about helping some friends in the neighboring city.

Sweet, Yuzu packed her ham sandwich!

"Oh yeah, I found some notes from Mom's old journal. Want to know about our extended family? Turns out, we have an uncle and a cousin," Ichigo grinning mischievously, "Go say hi to Uncle Ryuuken and Cousin Uryuu."

"You meant terrorizing them," Karin rolled her eyes.

"They're dull people, live them up."

"Bye Nee-chan, I'll make sure to bring them some of my delicious stew!" Yuzu waved away, "Maybe you should invite your friends too someday!"

"Sssh, quiet down, you'll wake the closet dweller."

Closet dweller as in Rukia.

 

Naruki City is not far. If Keigo and Mizuiro went to school on their feet from their home city, why cannot Ichigo do the opposite?

Kon being a sleepyhead, still asleep, and tucked safely inside her duffel bag.

Her phone rang, and a reply from Shinji. 

 

From Best Blond in SS,

To Ichigo:

Why the Hell ar ya' leaving during this hour?!

 

From Ichigo,

To Best Blonde in SS:

I can't sleep ;)

 

Ichigo is feeling happy.

It has been three weeks since the last time she was out from Karakura.

The last time was her visited Taito City to restock her crafting materials and guess what, she got all the necessities for creating the Noulith, which is why she is low on the budget now.

It is not Shibuya or Asakusa but that is okay because she is out of her hometown and boy, does it not feel wonderful. 

Freedom!

 

Dawn has come, and everybody, sans those who were in the know, is panicking about Ichigo's disappearance. 

 

It is 06:00 A. M in Naruki City.

On some random bench in a park, Ichigo is eating her sandwiches and Shinji is beside her, not sure why they are even there. Small moments like this are the reason why she saves the world. Yes, the air, the birds, the morning dew. Perfect. She does not get why some megalomaniac-brunette-slick-his-hair-back-so-I-look-cool wants to ruin it.

"Wouldn't yer old man be worried?" Shinji decided to open a conversation.

"No, he wouldn't." Ichigo put down an unfinished sandwich and cleaned her hand, "My Hollow has existed since the day I was born, he knew it would be a problem someday. Through a contact from Urahara-san, he knows you guys are the best possible teacher for me even if he doesn't know the Visored in person."

"He knew? Aren' you supposed to be angry at him for keeping secrets at ya'?"

"Please, I'm way over those sad episodes. I eat dirt mastering it, getting yelled at by Shisou, spend countless hours meditating, and I have to go back to being angry at him. Ridiculous." Ichigo clicked her tongue, "My wish is that he should stop pretending around me as if those problems are non-existent. It's disgusting to look at." 

"Okay, so, if someday he wanted to tell ya' about it..."

"I probably say 'Tell it to someone who cares'...or something similar to that."

"Harsh."

"Yes, and last time I checked, I'm not the only child in this world who has problems." 

"Yer right, yer right," Shinji sighed dejectedly, "Sorry fer' bringing that up... It's just the others and I have been living with a Hollow for a hundred years, what if there's no difference?"

A Golden Terrier snapped them from their sensitive conversation, it barked at Ichigo softly, paw held up in a hello. She shook the paw, saw the name on the dog's collar, and then laughed out loud when reading it. Showing it to the blond beside her because the dog's name is Shinji. Well, the hair color did match.

"Hi Shinji, you lucky I have some ham on me, buddy." Ichigo took out the ham from her sandwich, "Here you go, that's a good girl."

"What girl?"

"The dog is female, Hirako-san."

"How do ya know?"

"The collar's pink."

Shinji's owner comes in hurriedly with a leash in hand, apologizing for their dog interrupting their time. Ichigo waved it off as Shinji the Dog is a lovely companion to have, after that, her expression turned serious.

"Because it is no any different than you are today. While it feels foreign, turns out it's just you all along. Perhaps you're only getting more dangerous, if you don't need it then you don't need to learn it, it's a war tool after all. But If you do want to learn it then remember, those hundred years are not an empty hope, it's what makes you the way you are today. So make your stand, Shinji Hirako."

Shinji stared at the redhead with wide eyes, smiled, and scoffed to himself.

"I'm a childish fool. Yeah, I do want to learn it, maybe I get a greater understanding of myself."

"There's no turning back."

"Was there ever was?"

The golden lion started to emerge and Fray greeted the majestic feline.

 

Notes:

Oryou is the wife of Ryōma Sakamoto. It's just that in FGO she is a serpentine (an Orochi, so to speak) who fell in love with Ryōma because he freed her of a curse aka pulling out the spear that stabbed her head, she was going to eat him but change her mind. Why is she a serpent? I don't know. Don't ask.

Hatsumōde: the practice of visiting a shrine or temple throughout the New Year holidays to pray for good fortune for the coming year.

About Ichigo killing people, she's not just killing people, she's killing Worlds. It's the Lostbelts.

Ichigo's dilemma with Byakuya and Toshiro is a different matter of 'I don't know how to deal with you'. She is awkward with Byakuya because he knew his dad and was there when he was still in his mother's stomach, so meeting him has already grown was quite a revelation to her. Toshiro is her 'Vietnam-war flashbacks' regarding her knowledge of REAL dragons and child Servants (who are technically older than her because they were born before her), 'This guy shaped like a child and also an adult, my God what should I call you? Btw is that Dragon of yours civil?'

The dog is named after Shinji Ikari from Evangelion. LOL

Chapter 33: Our End

Summary:

There's a darkness within us all—nothing dangerous, mind. In fact, it's quite healthy.

Alternatively,
Ichigo: Visored, you're all be Dark Knight now!
Visored: What's a Dark Knight?
Ichigo: Whoops! I just break Fourth Wall.

Notes:

Spoiler: Isn't that just a fancy word for feeling 'bummed out'?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

"I'm back," Shinji opened a door of a warehouse, "And I brought a guest."

"Ojamashimasu!" Ichigo greeted and saw an incoming attack, "Oh, la chancla." She pulled Shinji for a cover.

"Wha-?"

 

Thwack!

 

Hiyori's sandal landed on Shinji's face, then like a fuse being lit, the two immediately fall into an endless shouting and wrestling match; Shinji is losing, and his face is being slapped multiple times with Hiyori's footwear.

Oh dear, Ichigo is starting to feel bad using him as a meat shield.

"Don't mind about those two, they're always like that. Ichigo Kurosaki, right? The time traveler?" Asked a tall, muscular man with sharp features, short silver hair, and brown eyes. The green cargo pants and black combat boots gave him the vibe of a Navy officer on break time.

"Oh! So, this is Berry-chan! You don't look like a time traveler to me," Said a young woman with hazel eyes wearing a white bodysuit and scarf, along with a set of goggles atop her lime-green hair. She is careening her whole figure to Ichigo's face while clinging to the silver-haired man. A type of person who has no sense of privacy.

"What do you expect a time traveler should look like?" Ichigo cocked her head to the side, mirroring the Lime-hair's head motion.

"Owns a DeLorean!" Lime-Hair exclaimed.

If only Ichigo’s time travel adventure is as cinematic as Back to The Future, this is why people say you cannot have everything you want.

Who doesn't want to own a DeLorean anyway?

"Haha, that's too farfetched even for me." 

Unless the Shadow Border and the Storm Border can be considered as the 'DeLorean' in her journey.

 

Shinji's and Hiyori's voices are such terrible background music that a young adult woman in a sailor uniform and a man with a thick black spiked afro have to separate them.

Separates as in decking the two right in the head so strong that they kiss the ground right away.

 

"Urgh, damn ya’ Ichigo, ya’ use me as a shield," All of Shinji's face is red and swollen, utterly betrayed.

Ichigo shrugged helplessly, "Reflex."

 

The rest of the Visored then take turns in introducing themselves, starting with Rōjūrō 'Rose' Ōtoribashi, former captain of the Third Division, who looks like he came out of a concerto.

Rabu 'Love' Aikawa, former captain of the Seventh Division, the previous spiked afro man who decked Hiyori.

Lisa Yadomaru, former lieutenant of the Eight Division, effectively was Captain Kyouraku's former lieutenant.

Kensei Muguruma and Kuna Mashiro, respectively former captains and lieutenants of the Ninth Divison. They were the ones who investigate the missing souls back in Rukongai and got transformed first by Aizen as a result.

Lastly, Hachigen Ushōda was formerly the lieutenant of the Kidō Corps under Tessai.

All of them defected at the same time as Kisuke, Yoruichi, and Tessai since the three were the ones who broke the Visored out of Soul Society to avoid death sentences by the Central 46.

A hundred years...

They were there when World War II happened, that must be quite a... sight to watch. 

“I’m Ichigo Kurosaki, the time traveler.” Ichigo bowed respectfully.

“Hey, you look like a Shi-,“ Kensei stopped his question when he saw Shinji make a frantic ‘X’ motion with his hand behind Ichigo, “Shit! You look like someone I knew a long time ago...”

Shinji gave him a thumbs up.

“Really? Who?”

“… Old acquaintance.”

“Oh, okay.”

Then Kensei and Shinji then exchanged a conversation with body language unbeknown to Ichigo.

Kensei gestured wildly with his hand. What was that about?

Shinji made a dismissal motion. I'll explain later.

 

Ichigo perceives her surrounding, "Hmm, it's quite crowded, isn't it?"

"Yeah, tell me about it," Fray agreed, "It's a Yokai Conference here."

Zanpakutou spirits were not atypically loud, they belong in another plane which is why their master cannot normally see them when they are not within their Inner World.

Kisuke's Tenshintai and Ichigo's True Sixth Sense seemed to be the only factors that were able to break said boundaries with minimal effort.

The Visored's Zanpakutou spirits are currently looking like a ghost, speaking in one syllable in a long scream and crying, the sense that coming out from them is various; there is a lion who demands authority, a frenzied Orochi with anger management issues, and Oni who is strangely calm, a cheery grasshopper, flowery rainbow bird, a buff guy as if coming out of Tekken game, a woman in a black kimono and a Barong man. They are all wearing headgear on their head, and while they thought it was the Hollow effect, to Ichigo, it made them look like a knight.

 

Soul Reapers, formerly or not, are a different case from Ichigo because she does not have a Zanpakutou spirit.

Fray is her alter ego, she created him. And 'Zangetsu' was merely an echo who still clinging to her.

Before Fray gained a form, Ichigo told him to devour the purged energy, essentially creating the existence of a spirit that manifested as another self. Two interchangeable personalities who wield the same weapon.

The name 'Zangetsu', however, kept latching onto them. Bereft of personality and form, yet still able to attach itself to them like glue. Perhaps because Muramasa told her that her sword copied an essence from her progenitor; her father, that connected her to Soul Society.

Officially, she dubbed her sword Akina, Autumn's Child.

In the fashion of a Zanpakutou, the sword was able to transform that following her experience of learning the art of war, gaining two forms: a spear and a bow.

Suffice it to say, Ichigo is the weapon, and her sword is the medium.

 

Soul Reapers gaining a Zanpakutou spirit is a result of pouring their essence into an empty facet, called an Asauchi. Their Zanpakutou spirits, by some means, are them.

By their logic, Ichigo is basically a crook.

 

But it is not entirely out of catch either.

 

Like her, the Visored have Hollow Reiatsu; something that lit the fuse of the aspect of Darkness in their Soul. She may purge her soul but the aspects, Light and Darkness, cannot be got rid of because they are a makeup of what naturally a Soul is.

Aizen’s Hōgyoku was able to force Hollow Reiatsu into them but that does not mean that the Visored meant to survives the process.

Considering Cu Chulainn’s stories of some of his classmates that did not survive.

He even said that if Ichigo did not succeed the process for the next five seconds, she would be dead.

So how is it the Visored were extremely guaranteed?

 

"... Could it be he chose all of you because a high-ranking officer has a higher chance of surviving?" She said to no one in particular.

"Finally, ya' said something, yev' been quiet for a while," Shinji drawled, "Penny fer' yer' thought?"

"How did you survive the Hollowfication?"

Shinji exchanged looks at her fellow Visored before answering.

"Kisuke stabilized us."

"I see...with his own Hōgyoku, no less. I can see why that thing is dangerous now. When it already affected its victim, it can't be undone, leaving you to deal with the consequence." Ichigo was mirthfully reminded of what a Holy Grail can do before a wish can be uttered, "When I decided to undergo my training, I made a decision; Hollowfication is dangerous, should I die from it from activating it the first time, dead was inevitable. The point is, I almost failed."

I almost died.

"... Uh...huh... What are ya' getting at?"

"Have you all ever considered the possibility that you didn't survive the Hollowfication?”

No one answered.

“Because it's a success after Urahara stabilized you with his own version of magic marble. The point is, there was a chance that you didn't survive it if both versions of Hōgyoku were not present." Either die or turn into a complete monster. She had to say that dying right away would be a better mercy, turning into a complete monster is both rampaging taking lives, and later being killed by someone else, "Well since you guys have passed the most arduous phase, let's get right through it."

"... What's with the rambling then?" Lisa croaked.

"Old habit, coming up with a theory was something I used to do when I was in college."

"You were in college to study Hollowfication? What kind of college is that?"

"The magical one."

Lisa sharply turned at Shinji as if saying 'Can you believe this kid?!'.

The leader of the Visored sighed, emotionally exhausted already, "Ya' already here, it’s now or never."

"Very well, first and foremost, please tell me, what is a Visored?"

"Visored are the result of when a Hollow with a similar makeup to an Asauchi enter their soul and merges with their Zanpakutou," Shinji said as he knew it by the back of his hand.

This prompted Ichigo to ask for an explanation from the Visored about Zanpakutou's anatomy. They are not sure what Ichigo meant by anatomy though they can tell her this; all Zanpakutou are forged by Ōetsu Nimaiya of the Zero Division, there has never been a Soul Reaper who truly awakened his or her Zanpakutō without wielding an Asauchi which Nimaiya forged. As a weapon capable of cutting spiritual bodies, they are among the few weapons which can be used to combat Hollows.

"Hollows were formerly deceased Human souls, still souls nonetheless, albeit transformed ones," Ichigo nodded in understanding, "Then this Nimaiya person made Asauchi with souls, to purge souls, essentially the only thing that can defeat a soul is another soul… Hmm, okay, but how does it feel wielding your Zanpakutou again after being Hollowfied?"

"It feels like they're not ours anymore," Kensei said, "A Zanpakutou was our partner in battles for a long time, we can't just abandon them."

"I can understand that a Zanpakutou spirit is generated from its owner’s soul, giving you a sense of attachment. Then tell me, what if you don't have a Zanpakutou? If you said that you turn into a Hollow, yes, but what is the distinction?"

Nobody can answer that.

"The answer is there's none."

Mashiro scratched her head, "Uh, I don't get it, was that a trick question?"

"Nah, I think I get it,” Shinji's eyes widened in realization, "Scáthach is not a Soul Reaper, and she doesn't own a Zanpakutou. It is hereditary in her family to haf' Hollow inside them. Yet there’s no difference between her and us who wields a Zanpakutou."

"Exactly, even the weapon of her creation, Gáe Bolg has nothing to do with her having a Hollow. The paradox happened inside you as the receiver of the effect and then affect your Zanpakutou spirits. However, having a Zanpakutou seems to make things easier imparting stability of existence. But what of your spiritual emotion? It’s your sense of self that disrupts stability. Though the visible effect is more apparent in the Age of God. When a living Human turned into a beast, at that time, you don't have to be dead to become a Hollow or a beast, instead, you were considered to be already dead."

"So, what’s yer’ saying is that there's nothing to be done?" Hiyori glared at the only redhead, "I thought ya' said yer going to help us!"

Ichigo stays quiet and glanced at Shinji who had been pondering for a long time.

"It's always a choice… Hollowfication was a deliberate action in ancient times as the means to win a war and to achieve a warrior's glory. My teacher was a warlord, she was a leader of a nation and within a said nation, there are people. Territories were hard to maintain in the warring era. This ‘Hollowfication’ became a solution and a part of their warrior culture. Her ancestors went so far as to ensure their descendants were able to inherit Hollows Reiatsu. I made a choice to undergo the training because I wanted to get stronger; sacrifices had to be made."

"Wait, if it's us all along, then why is it felt foreign?" Love manages to find the one hole in the whole mess, "Is it because we didn't accept ourselves?"

"We all wanted to come back when everything was so much simpler, yes? Back in the time when we didn't need a reason to 'accept ourselves' to win our own psychological war. The time when doing our way of life was enough." Ichigo smiled to see many dumbfounded faces, "There's something else, Urahara told me about the incident a hundred years ago, Muguruma-san you were investigating the case of missing souls in the Rukongai, where do you think those souls now?"

"You're saying it as if they are still around…"

"Oh, they are around, just not as who they are anymore. They're the Hōgyoku, Aizen's Hōgyoku to be exact."

A sense of dread washes over the Visored.

Victims.

They were implanted with victims.

Hiyori kicked a stray rock in anger, "Dammit! I know we're his lab rats, but this is taking it to a top-notch! We have people's souls inside us, and we think of them as a parasite this whole time!"

"Pretty they don't have their identities anymore."

"And dat's supposed to make it any better?!"

"Of course not," Ichigo leveled her gaze at Hiyori, "And now he has Urahara's. It doesn't take a genius to guess what he was going to do with them, no?"

Ichigo's choice to save Rukia instead of retrieving the Hōgyoku was one of the reasons why they ended up in this situation.

“Look, obtaining Hollow power is illegal in Soul Society, people who trod the path of Hollowfication are considered war weapons, probably the biggest reason why it was outlawed. Soul Society law books may be thick, but it didn't include the history-“

Ichigo was promptly cut off by Mashiro.

"Geez, you read those boring books? Ew."

"You were in law enforcement, and you said 'ew' on your country's law?"

"I read it once. Once is enough."

"Yeah, fair point." Ichigo read it only once too, "Anyway, I'm sure the other reason why obtaining Hollow power is illegal was because of the sacrifices of numerous souls. Clearly, Aizen doesn’t care about that, deeming it a necessary cause.”

Aizen said it himself, Soul Reaper's four basic forms of combat, they're all similar in a way they each have a limit, no matter how much innate capability you have, they cannot overcome the limitation of Soul Reaper's body. In his theory, the only way to break it is a Soul Reaper-Hollow hybrid.

Very much the answer of a man who has no hobby in his life.

Honestly, Ichigo pities Aizen.

If Master Scáthach teacher is here, she will; without doubt; drag the man's ass until he has no dignity left, referring to the megalomaniac as the worst antagonist that ever exists.

She wonders Heroic Spirits happily throwing jeers at Aizen now at the Throne of Heroes. Especially Gilgamesh...his infamous word...ringing in her ears...

 

MONGREL!

 

Oh, how Ichigo missed him very much.

 

"Wait you said in modern times? Hollow doesn't exist back in ancient times?" Lisa asked in confusion.

"I'm sure they do. Hollowfication is only a 'local' term. If having Hollow Reiatsu is a genetic factor in Master Scáthach's family, her ancestors must have been a bunch of wackos. There are various methods, manipulating the soul of the damned, benefitting creatures from another dimension, making a deal with demons, curses, fairies, and so on. I guess we win in the category of how many regrets we have."

"... I should've known better when I decided to involve ma'self' with an unhinged." Shinji ran his hand through his face.

"And who was the one that said he was on his edge?" Ichigo smirked.

Shinji sends her an ugly look.

 

The Visored decided that yeah, they are doing this alright.

 

With Ichigo's informing them about the Arrancar's arrival in her hometown, it is a confirmation of a war that is looming over.

Ichigo also understands why they are so quick to agree because the feeling of betrayal was right in front of their eyes, and they see a reason for vengeance.

They know who Aizen is, and they hate him. Simple.

Unlike her who spent her whole life not knowing who or what she is until Chaldea happened, her reason to fight was for survival throughout the Singularity and the Lostbelts and not wanting to rely on the Servants the whole time because of the refusal to treat the Servants as a mere disposable tool when the deeds already done.

Despite all the mess that Aizen had brought upon her, he only gave her a sense of emptiness. Even if she wants to hate him, she cannot. She does not know him.

Everyone thought that her life as a human is stolen by him, but the one who stole her life was herself.

She was the so-called 'Last Master of Chaldea', she lives well and that is the best kind of revenge.

 

Ichigo and the Visored gathered down in the training field under the warehouse that looks so much like the one under the Urahara Shop.

Obviously, Kisuke commissioned it for them.

She took out her phone, typing religiously, before tucking it again.

"What was that?" Kensei questioned.

Ichigo knows that despite Shinji vouching for her, the others Visored still do not trust her. Any of her behavior is considered suspicious.

"Guilt-tripping Urahara."

"Wha-"

"Okay, first thing first, which one of you has the best control of their Hollow?" Ichigo started.

"Mashiro was able to maintain her Hollow Mask for fifteen hours without practice of any kind, in battle, she can maintain it fer' three hours. Hachi is considerably much shorter but still far longer than any of us." Shinji offhandedly informed.

Ichigo looked at Mashiro and Hachi in consideration, "You two are people who have nothing to hide, huh. After Hirako-san, we'll go for you two. It'll be nice to have extra help to work on the recovery later."

"Why does Shinji have to go first?" Rose asked.

"I volunteered."

Ichigo then asked to be provided with a barrier in case something goes haywire during the process. She was a little bit surprised when finds out that Hachi will be the one who provides it.

"You've been the one who did all of the arcane stuff for the Visored? No wonder your control over your Hollow stabilizes faster than the others."

"Is that a factor?" Hachi scratched his head. Neverminded that this is the first time he heard Kidō being dubbed as arcane stuff.

"Being a spellcaster requires a high level of concentration, right? You created a circumstantial urgency for yourself, making you succeed out of habit. Surely you realize this."

"I never think it was that big of a deal," Hachi gave out a little shrug.

Ichigo can only laugh at that humble answer.

 

When Ichigo and Shinji walk to the middle of a makeshift barrier arena, she wondered if Shinji realized this quality about him.

Risking himself to volunteer first by doing a risky method suggested by someone he barely knew.

Barely knew...

Ichigo fought a pang of sadness inside her.

If Shinji succeeds, the Visored can fully trust her; if he fails, it is a silent promise that they are allowed to eliminate her. It is not because he is standing on the edge, no, it is his leadership that made the Visored believe that their life is worth to be fighting for.

After all, he was once a part of the First Division; a division that specializes in leadership.

 

"So, how are we doing this?"

"Sit down and perform a Jinzen, as you dive in, I will create an in-between link."

Shinji planted his Zanpakutou on the dirt and plop down to do a Jinzen.

Ichigo waited until he dives deep enough before finally doing her thing. With the nail of her thumb, she nicked her forefinger, drawing the blood as a start on Shinji's forehead, and drag it down to the bridge of his nose, while also whispering nontangible words along with it. 

 

"Is this..." Hachi blinked in surprise.

"What's wrong, Hachi?"

Rose could see his huge friend did not quite listen to him.

"Blood rite? But that's ancient..."

 

Ichigo stopped drawing her blood on Shinji's face and drew back her hand in a snapping motion. 

The blood sprinkled on the ground.

Everyone heard a sharp hiss from her.

The pattern of blood that covered Shinji's face like a mask absorbed into his skin. 

 


 

Kisuke had been staring at the screen of his cell phone for the last two hours.

 

From Ichigo:

Kisuke Urahara and Aizen really made their gay break up the problem for everyone in the Soul Society.

Am I right or amirite?

 

That is what the message says.

 

"... I don't even date Aizen."

 


 

Shinji woke up with a gasp. As far as he remembers, he never woke up with gasps when diving into his inner world. Strangely it felt like an eternity already despite knowing that he just got here.

Sakanade is nowhere to be found.

His inner world is a vast desert with a single oasis where he used to meet the spirit. Naturally, he approached the oasis to use the water as a mirror.

As he ducked down, he found the reflection of a red-haired woman-

He turned around abruptly, "Ichigo?!"

 

Ichigo looked different. Tall, at least one centimeter taller than him. Her hair is braided neatly, flunked to the side of her left shoulder. As an adult woman, Shinji admits that she is pretty although the gaze of her eyes visibly tired.

She is wearing some sort of uniform; the jacket is white in color with numerous black stripes and long-tailed, and the pants are also white, but her legs are mostly covered in her thigh-high black boots.

Each of her hands is covered in black gloves that have a translucent section on the back part.

If this is a uniform, he is yet to find some sort of logo or symbol to show affiliation.

 

"Hello, Hirako-san," Ichigo greeted politely, "Interesting view of an inner world you have here. Where's your moisture farm?"

"Don't add reasons so I can hate Star Wars," Shinji grumbled, "Ya' look...different."

Ichigo chuckled lightly, "This is how I'm used to or will look like. I was gone for a long time you know."

And your parent never noti-

"This is not the time for you to concern about me," Ichigo said as if know what is on his mind, "Remember why you came here."

Shinji suddenly feels shadowed.

Sakanade finally appeared. He is a gigantic male lion and a rich golden mane crowning his head. What differentiates the spirit from a normal lion is the Hollow pharaoh's mask which has a short, flowing hood hanging down the back of his vertebrate. The spirit's sclera is completely black as his irises become yellowish; a sign of the Hollowfication.

Ichigo cannot help but felt nostalgic. Ramesses the Great, much?

"Trespasser, state your reason so I might spare you." Sakanade bellowed.

Ichigo gets on one knee, head facing the ground, "I come in peace."

"You are not a Soul Reaper. You didn't carry one of us..." Then Sakanade diverts his attention, "Shinji, it's been twenty years since your last visit. And now, the moment you decided to come here," The ground shook as Sakanade crouched to his wielder's eye level, "You brought a trespasser."

Ichigo cleared her throat, "Trespasser I may be and yet you know well that I'm not an intruder. I'm a mediator. Your wielder asked for my help."

"Help?" Sakanade snarled, "You think this pathetic wretch needs help? It's been centuries he's been loathing himself, not even a day he does his deeds to confront me. I'd say he's beyond help."

"You know that's not true," Ichigo reasoned.

"Leave! Or I shall evict you myself!"

Everyone heard a thunderous roar in Shinji's inner world that seemed to warn Sakanade to lay-off.

It seems to be true since Ichigo barely shows any concern.

"I'm not here to threaten you or your master. While I understand about the abandonment, you and your fellow Zanpakutou will be able to have their revenge and to do that you need your master to wield you. As a compromise, you can see this as his last chance to atone himself, to you."

Sakanade rose up while staring down Shinji, definitely taking some consideration.

"Very well then. We shall take part in this rite. Stand aside mediator, your expertise shall be needed outside."

Ichigo nodded and walked away, passing Shinji as she taps him reassuringly on the shoulder, "How lucky you are for having a reasonable ego." 

She disappears at the whiff of sand. 

 

"Now then, Shinji, we shall start...from the beginning."

 

Shinji knows his test with his Zanpakutou spirit is different from his comrades, who mostly choose a brawl. He got to put up his brain when confronting Sakanade. Suddenly he has trouble breathing, the air is getting thinner and thinner; he gasped for air. His knees touched the sand beneath him. The sands shift around him.

Sakanade's shadow is getting bigger and bigger and wings sprouting from his side. Said wings getting wider and wider until it darkens the sky.

What are you doing... "Sakanade...?"

"Did you forget already?"

Shinji rose his head and widened his eyes in shock.

In front of him is a Hollow version of himself.

 

"I'm you."

Shinji can hear the scream in his head.

"Don't let me eat you."

 

 

The rest of the Visored sees Ichigo gets up from her meditating state. It has been ten minutes from what the two have been doing. She reaches for Shinji's shoulder as if intending to wake him up.

"Wait, that's it? Kinda anti-climactic," Love commented.

 

Then the next second surprised them all.

 

Ichigo sighed when she sees a wound opening on the back of her hand courtesy of sharp nails. She jumped away all the way back, landing near the spectators, with the barrier acting as a gap.

"Oi, what's happening?!" Hiyori panicked.

"The first time when you get Hollowfied, you did transform, right? Gaining limbs or anything that doesn't make sense. Now what if you pull that transformation inside you? The result is this. After all, what is an aspect of darkness when you're not a little wild, or should I say..."

Ichigo uses Streghtnening to block Shinji from trying to pierce her with his gathered nails.

"... When you looked like an animal in a man's form."

"THAT MAKES NO SENSE DUMBASS!" Hiyori shouted.

"What do you mean? Of course, it does." Ichigo grabbed the hand to flip Shinji to the ground. She incapacitates by locking the hand to his back, pushing her knee to push him to the ground, "See the difference?"

Shinji's sclera turns completely black, and his irises are yellow, reminiscing a Hollow. His nails became longer and sharpened. He is growling but no actual words ever come out.

Not once in the Visored life have, they ever heard Shinji Hirako like an animal before, even when he was Hollowfied. 

"The seals you drew on him, circulates his Hollow Reiatsu instead of letting it out..." Hachi stunned.

"Dark aspect is robust, chaos. It's not supposed to be passive. He had to figure out how to circulate his normal Reiatsu, which is the Light aspect of his Soul to chaos, and then cycle it with his Hollow Reiatsu. Yin and Yang, something like that. The problem is, it's easier said than done."

"So, all of this just so we can balance ourselves?"

"Yes." Ichigo thumbs up with her free hand, "He fares far better than I was, I'm jealous."

This is supposed to be better?!

Ichigo blinked when Shinji's other hand went up, she thought it was going to attack her, which is impossible from this position until she sensed a supernatural threat from afar. She summoned her katana out of thin air to block Shinji's flying Zanpakutou.

She faintly heard her Mashiro say 'what the fuck' before Shinji broke out of her hold. Looks like he starting to get the hang of it.

"Shinji, get a hold of yourself."

That is the first time the Visored heard Ichigo calling their de facto leader by his given name. Also, she is too calm for someone being attacked by a crazed opponent.

Shinji snarled at her.

They can see his lengthened fang. It is as if he is turning into a carnivore.

He then sends a slash of a red wide beam at Ichigo.

The one being attacked lightly grimaced, raised her sword, and brace herself.

"Aw, bollocks."

 

 

Shinji has to figure this out. Sakanade's ability is to disorientate enemies. Up became down. Down became up.

 

Sakasama no Sekai.

 

"You liked that papyrus painting Shinji-kun?"

"What is this creature? A lizard?"

His grandfather laughed, "No, that's a sphinx. They're benevolent, as they're ferocious."

"Yeah, but why do we have a painting of it."

"That's our ancestor, silly."

Shinji blanched.

 

Perhaps it does not matter if he is corrupted.

"Aren't I still benevolent?"

It does not matter if he is a little hollow.

"Aren't I still ferocious?"

 

A noise of a single droplet of water.

Touching the ground, opening the vast that is space.

 

His Hollow self grinned ferociously.

A lion fang in full display.

 

Shinji touched his other self's face, "Sakanade..."

 

 

Ichigo is super jealous. She can see why Shinji deserves his captain's rank. 

She needed six weeks to accomplish it and Shinji was able to get around it in under thirty minutes. Not that he doubts it or anything, but setting oneself Dark Aspect to be inert is dangerous. It is like hugging a bomb that is waiting to explode.

The first stage is where they learn how to suppress it, the faster the better; the second stage is about accepting oneself, opening the pathway to their alter self. The reason why it was advised to be repeated was that it will gnaw their physical body, the more they refuse the more the Hollow ate them...from the inside, they can stop when it is getting worse. The first stage was a process where one body is trying not to get overtaken, then the second is straight-up do not die!

Well, I was an absolute brat, after all. The Visored are mature adults. 

 

The Visored is starting to get worried. The scene in front of them is different from their first time when dealing with Inner Hollow. The first time was them trying to stop the process of Hollowfication; white goo coming all over their bodies, unaware of their surroundings, and incorrigible. But this? Shinji still looks the same as before, aware of his surroundings, and coherence.

However, the Reiatsu emanating from him is far more lethal.

But he is slowing down.

 

There is a dribble of red at the corner of Shinji's mouth and he started coughing liquid of the same color.

He stopped all of his actions.

He falls.

 

Ichigo stopped too. She sees Shinji's darkening sclera starting to disperse and the yellow iris is starting to get centered.

She sheathed her sword.

 

 

Shinji did not drown in the sea of sand, in fact when he woke up, all he saw was darkness. He felt a small paw nudge him. It was a lion cub. Would not be nice to be a cub, to be young again, where he had not done all of those mistakes.

To that time when he was not a monster.

The reason why he hates himself was that he saw himself as pharaoh...as a king. A king was a divine intermediary between the gods and the people.

Now, he is nothing but a powerful leader that became a relic of the past, remembered only in passing as an interesting tale to tell newcomers.

The fact that the mask he wears shows his failure to stop Aizen. 

Back then...if he gave Aizen the same faith he places in his comrades...

 

Would none of this happen?

 

"I'd it'll still happen, Aizen merely saw you as an obstacle in his path.

The cub is grown into an adolescent lion. The mane has not grown thickly.

"No matter how well people thought themselves to be a better king, a king is still a person, and being a person is to have a fault." Shinji recognized the lion... Sakanade.

"The haste of change... Why does everybody want to rule the world? When they barely know how to lead themself."

"I'm sorry fer' calling ya' a monster," Shinji sighed, "Am' stupid."

"That's an understatement," Sakanade chuffed. He lays the pharaoh's mask on Shinji's feet, "Being a monster wasn't so bad occasionally, this has been the best fun I've had for over a century. I must thank the lady. Do send my gratitude to her."

Shinji lifted the mask to be examined. The color is yellow gold, with khol on the eyes. The flowing hood is now dual-colored, repetitive blue azurite, and golden. It is a majestic mask.

"I can't no longer feel anguish from it. Have those souls finally rested?" Shinji wears it, "How do I look?"

"Even stupider."

Sakanade is now an adult lion, complete with his luscious golden mane, and stands tall as a leader of a Pride.

"Then it's a great headpiece."

 

 

Shinji slowly opens his eyes and sees the fake blue sky of the training ground. Looking back, he cannot believe Kisuke had actually painted it.

Hachi's hand hovered on top of his stomach, healing Kidō emanating from it.

"Congratulation, you've found your answer."

Shinji turned his head to the side to see Ichigo sitting by the rocks, a slap of reality for him as he realized the redhead is back as a teenager again.

"How are you feeling?"

Shinji's starting to feel the soreness in every inch of his body, "Fantastic."

 


 

"Have you finally figured it out?"

 

Kisuke fought the urge to exhale in front of Isshin by sipping his tea.

Unlike the usual oriental cup, Tessai prepared the hot beverage with the porcelain tea set that he bought when visiting England, a long time ago. 

He does not know why his oldest friend decided that pinkies are out when Kisuke told him that Isshin is visiting the shop.

 

"Isshin, we've been over this. We all got confused the heck out of it when your daughter went out for a walk and come back home with complete control of her Reiatsu. And no, I haven't figured it out."

"You're the smartest person I know!"

"And we have a war looming over! If something is wrong with Ichigo, I'd say she suddenly getting the hang of her Reiatsu is a godsend. Breaking White's seal within you so you can gradually recover your power."

 

Like the professional he is, Kisuke lied his way out.

In a way, he could answer this; yes, within the interval of her going out for a walk and coming back home, she apparently time traveled, becoming the apprentice of the legendary Scáthach from the Irish myth.

.... Now that he phrased it out in his head, that does sound weird.

 

"It can't be that easy, we're not that lucky."

You're right, we're not. Because potentially Ichigo had already been through Hell, while we are enjoying the luck she collected.

Kisuke finally sighed, "What ticks you so much?"

"Urahara, she killed Grand Fisher. She was never that..."

 

Murderous?

Merciless?

Vengeful?

 

Kisuke is pretty sure by the standard of Ichigo's apprenticeship, she is practically a blood knight.

 

"Violent."

Kisuke, honest to God, almost gawked, which he faked by raising one of his eyebrows, "Violent. That's your conclusion. With all the training you gave her, you expect her to be not violent."

"I train to be tough, not spilling blood." Isshin crossed his arms indignantly.

"You suspect that it's vengeance?"

This time Isshin faltered, "I'm not...sure."

Ichigo probably did not care anymore about the fact that Grand Fisher killed Masaki on the day she confronted the Hollow in the graveyard, because aside from her mother, Grand Fisher also killed a lot of people.

"She's different."

Duh. Kisuke wanted to say, "You said it like it's a bad thing."

"It feels like she's keeping her distance from me."

"Maybe you should tell her, about you, about Masaki, about the whole thing," Kisuke suggested. 

"It's too early..."

It's already too late!

"Don't you think it's obvious that she's keeping her distance from you? It's because she doesn't-"

"What? Trust me?" Isshin had the gall to drawl.

"It's because she doesn't have any faith in you!"

Kisuke then checked twice about himself because oh shit he just shouted at Isshin, though he is satisfied that Isshin was affronted by it.

Isshin tried to find his word, he opened his mouth, but no sound come for a few seconds.

"... I'm sorry... Faith, you said?"

"Trust is overrated. Right now, what we need is faith. Your daughter's lacks faith in you is clear as day. So, how about your faith in her?"

 

Isshin exits the shop without answering.

 

Kisuke huffed and accepted a shot of sake from Tessai.

 

"Worst twenty-five minutes of my life."

 

Notes:

Is Shinji a descendant of a sphinx? Is that even possible? Hmm, mystery.
Have you considered that immigration is bullshit in Soul Society?

Ichigo: I'm a time traveler!
Kisuke: Why are you telling me this?
Ichigo ala Captain Holt: Because no one will ever believe you.
Kisuke ala Jake Peralta: You sick sunnuvabitch.

Chapter 34: Special Chapter III: The Kurosaki Extended Family

Summary:

This family consisted of a myriad of bloodlines. Hold high your heart. At the end of the line, when we are at the edge, and as long we do not forget our name... We can call whatever Heaven's above of who we are!

Notes:

The Diamond Dust Rebellion movie... What is the odd that it's called 'Diamond Dust', huh? Because that's Final Fantasy Shiva Summon's ability!
Also, that movie doesn't make any sense.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Sato could not believe what he read about the student ID that Ichigo had forgotten. The full name of that teenager is Ichigo Kurosaki?!

What a coincidence that she shares the same surname with his boss, Isamu Kurosaki, the actual owner of the antique/magic shop.

 

He lied when he said to Ichigo that she was his first Magus customer.

The truth is, the shop had served an array of customers for many decades, Witches and Wizards, Jujutsu sorcerers, Magus, and many more. There is this one who calls himself Kusuriuri (Man literally named himself Medicine Seller?!) and Sato swore that person was not human. 

But his boss is pretty weird too, with these types of customers, nothing rattled the man anymore.

 

Weird.

 

Yeah, the urban epithet of the Kurosaki clan in the Japanese Wizarding World.

 

There are a lot of Kurosaki though in Japan, in which he tried to convince himself.

So, it could be just a coincidence.

Too bad that he doubted himself today.

 

How did Sato get hold of Ichigo's High School student ID? Aside from Ichigo forgetting it, she also made an expensive request a few days ago for freakin' premium gemstones.

He cannot give that for free like usual, no matter how interesting the contraption she is going to create was.

Ichigo shoves all the money she had, and he can only give her Aquamarine. Top. With a slight discount. Then made her fill out some paperwork, a necessity since the Goblin runs the gem market of the magical world, and when she left the store, she forgot her student ID.

The paperwork is a pretty modern concept and actually, became a thing when one of the most prominent Magus families in Japan, the Tohsaka, tried to extort the Kurosaki back in the 70s. The Tohsaka did not know that the Kurosaki is a Wizard family and that precious stones in Wizarding World are handled by the Goblins.

Naturally, the Kurosaki report it to the bank and the Goblins happily handle it as if a celebration had come early. No one wanted to miss the chance to smack the Tohsaka in the face.

 

They did say the Kurosaki is powerful because they are friends with everyone.

 

Anyway, back to Sato who still staring at the ID.

No, it can't be the same Kurosaki.

His hand defies his brain as it went to the side, grabbed the phone, and dialed his boss's house number, asking if he knew any Ichigo Kurosaki.

Turns out Isamu Kurosaki does know one Ichigo Kurosaki, said she is his deceased brother's granddaughter... Huh, how about that... Wait-- "You have a brother?"

: "I had a brother. We were twins... What? What's going on?" :

"There's this one Ichigo Kurosaki had been coming to the store, she left her student ID. I was just checking if somehow, she related to you," Sato stopped talking for a while, "... I've been giving free goods to her-"

: "WHAT?!":

"Listen, old man, you're the one who set a tradition that if someone came and does something interesting, we can charge them free! You're the one who said that it's good marketing!" Sato defended.

: "Actually, that was my niece's idea...": Isamu Kurosaki trailed off melancholically, : "Sato, where is this Ichigo residency?":

"Uh, Karakura Town I guess, since her school is called Karakura High School. You know how often mundane people name their institution for education according to the area where it's built."

Sato found no answer from the other side. He heard a child's voice across the phone asking 'Grandpa, are you okay?' in British accent.

Did his boss have a new grandchild? As far as Sato knew, his boss has one adult grandson who resides in the United States.

Then he heard his boss shouting a word that was incorrigible because of the static created by the magical outburst, one of the many reasons why magic sometimes does not mix with technologies, and he can only make out 'SI-US' out of it. The next second, Isamu Kurosaki apparated inside the shop with the sound of a popped-up balloon.

Sato does not even get the chance to greet his boss as Isamu snatched the ID out of his hand.

"Oh my God, it is Ichigo! Goodness gracious, she has to be fifteen or sixteen right now..." Isamu looked at Sato, "Did she tell you what kind of magic she practiced?"

"She told me she had no affiliation with the Association, therefore a spellcaster."

"A spellcaster...she's a Magus? How on Earth did she get entangled with them?!" Isamu examined the photo on the ID. Goodness, her hair...and gaze of her eyes. He almost shivered, it felt like her older twin brother rises from the dead.

"She's very exceptional. The first time I met her, she changed a green marble into a creature that looked like a mix between a rabbit and squirrel by inscribing it into a tome; then she used gemstone dust into elemental arrows; lastly, she purchased large chunks of aquamarine which no way I can give her for free, so she used all of her saving. Also, she can see the moving pattern on my haori which means she has magic. Considering she's a teenager in a mundane High School, I wonder why she never got the invitation to a Wizarding school."

"The Kurosaki always took a tenfold precaution about enrolling their children in a Magical school. I got to be enrolled in Mahoutokoro since I have magic, while my brother had to be trained with the way of the Quincy," Isamu practically spat the last word with mirth.

"The Quincy? What's a Quincy?"

"That's as far as you can know about them, Sato. Trust me, it's better you don't about that side," Isamu heaved strongly, "Can you contact her? It's been so long and I... How can I forget about Masaki's family? I'm the worst brother ever."

"I have her email. She said she'll pick up her ID tomorrow at noon."

"Good, good. That's good." Isamu slumped down at a chair, all of his energy spent, "Now if I think about it, it's almost time for his revival. Shit. All of my nightmares are coming back."

"If I may ask Isamu-dono, what's happened to your brother?" Sato brews some tea for his boss.

One might think that it is a duty to be a vassal of the Kurosaki family, but he was just being respectful to an elderly man who just apparated from Kyoto and panicked about his newly found grandniece.

"He was murdered."

 


 

Ichigo almost chuckled remembering the visible concern on the Visored's faces when she said she is going to travel alone to Taitō City. She appreciates their worry. It is quite cute.

She does say she might come back, if lucky, in time for a late dinner, or maybe just before bedtime.

 

The Visored make quite significant progress.

After Shinji, it was Hachi and Mashiro's turn; Hachi took fifteen minutes to get settled but Mashiro was the definition of speed for accomplishing it for two minutes.

Two Fucking minutes!

Mashiro just went 'Hey there my Zanpakutou spirit, wanna bond?' and her Zanpakutou replied 'Sure!'.

It was so unfair considering that Ichigo needs almost three months to get her shit together. Forget that she was jealous of Shinji before, she is super jealous of all of them.

Their perfect resonance between the wielder and the spirit is no joke.

Oh well, it is good progress one way or another.

Three Visored down-- uh...done, five more to go.

 

Anyway, Sato-san's email is shady at best about the shop owner wanting to talk with her, to think that he was an employee there after all this time and not the actual owner. 

Arriving at the shop, Ichigo was immediately escorted to the back of the shop where there is a zen garden.

There is an elderly man... Ah well, he does not look that old, to be honest, an eternally good-looking fifty years old. His hair is greying but there are quite a lot of auburn locks left. On his shoulder is a little boy with dark hair who is giggling happily, round glasses framing his face, striking green eyes behind the clear lenses.

Beside the elderly is a man that looked way too fond of entertaining the little boy; he dresses like Bon Jovi, currently upside-down dangling by a flying broomstick. 

There is another man; he is lanky with ashen brunette hair, patiently sitting on a garden bench while also being exasperated at Bon Jovi, His eyes are golden, which reminded Ichigo of Woodwose, her adversary back at the English Lostbelt.

Her True Sixth Sense caught something from the lanky man.

 

... Wait, is he-

 

Sato cleared his throat, and all eyes fall on Ichigo.

 

The eldest of the group handed the little boy to the golden-eyed man and scurried toward Ichigo in excitement. 

"Hello, Ichigo. I don't think you remember me. I'm Isamu Kurosaki, your granduncle."

Ichigo blinked in disbelief, "My what?" Then realizing the tone that she used was kind of harsh, "I mean... Sorry sir, I don't think we've ever met before."

"I don't expect you to remember, you were only a baby after all..."

Isamu gave out a resigned sigh. He noted the extreme caution her grandniece possesses. He expects it but this is way too cautious.

"If you don't mind, we can retrieve to my study for some privacy."

Ichigo nonchalantly shrugged, "... Alright."

 

 

At the study, Isamu took out a photo album and opened a certain page for Ichigo to see.

It was a photo of Masaki Kurosaki with a newborn baby around her arm, her uncle behind her, and a small boy with white hair on his arm, pouting, signing his annoyance at being photographed.

What surprised Ichigo was Ryuuken Ishida and his whole family is there too; a demure-looking dark-haired lady with an updo beside him, whom she presumed to be his wife, Kanae Katagiri; a pair of an aged couple on his other side, a stern woman and a happy-looking man that must be his parents.

Uryuu must have not been born yet and looking at the huge bump on his mother's stomach, he must be on the way.

The picture is moving, a common thing for wizarding photography. Masaki's laughing at Isamu's effort for the small boy to smile at the camera, and the Ishida family is a various range of less body language, the better; with Uryuu's grandfather being the most expressive, waving his right hand rather animatedly.

"This was taken a month after your birth. You were a quiet baby," Isamu said fondly, then he flipped to the next page, "This is your grandparents, Isago Kurosaki, and Nitai. Your grandfather was my older twin brother."

Isago Kurosaki is a handsome man with red hair that his present granddaughter inherited, his feature was more Japanese rather than his twin who looked more mixed, making them fraternal twins like Karin and Yuzu.

His wife is a sweet-looking woman with luminous black hair braided to the side.

At first, Ichigo thought Nitai was wearing kimono, but the pattern looked more mosaic rather than flower or birds in general kimono, and there is no obi as it was worn more like a robe.

"Your grandmother is of Ainu origin," Isamu informed.

"There's Ainu Quincy?" 

"Course there is, though I think their ancestors most likely came from mainland Russia."

Russian Quincy...

"By the way, Isago was Japan's Quincy most eligible bachelor, you know. Annoyed to Hell at those women who throw themselves into him, so he backpacked away and when he finally got home, he came back with a woman in tow, declaring that it was his wife. " 

"That's one way to sweep off the gadflies..." The edge of Ichigo's lips quirked up, "What about you? Are you a Quincy?"  

"No... I'm mostly a wizard." He lifted his right hand to manifest Quincy's phylogenetic pattern, "I can use Blut, but I don't inherit the structural pattern to manifest a Heilig Pfeil as it's the requirement to be considered a true Quincy. Instead, I got magic, that's why I have a wand and go to a magic school."

Ichigo is taken aback, "That's possible?"

"There are two types of Quincy, Echt or Gemischt, pure-blood and mixed-blood; the first one can easily manifest a bow while the other one needs to train to be able to conjure it. The reason why the bow can appear was because said Quincy inherited a genetic structural pattern. This wasn't the first time it happened in the Kurosaki family, in fact, two pure-blooded Quincy can get married and have a child that wasn't Quincy."

"And the child..."

"Sometimes, the child is a normal human. Only a carrier. However, as long as they inherited a portion of Yhwach's soul, is a death sentence for them. Your grandfather has it. He and I used to pretend that there was only one son in the Kurosaki family; for the magical community, Isago Kurosaki doesn't exist and for Quincy, Isamu Kurosaki doesn't exist. It wasn't because of the social stigma; we were far more worried that the two sides collided, thus creating a bigger problem." 

True. The ongoing conflict between Soul Reapers and Quincy had been going on for hundreds of years and let us leave it at that. No need to add a new contender into the mix. 

But branding Quincy as Echt or Gemischt is useless if they are still beaten by genetic bypass.

What is pure when your descendant cannot manifest the bow and what is a mix when your descendant can manifest the bow as plain as day?

Were they always pure or mixed in the first place?

All in all, it was a farce by creating some sort of a caste system. 

"That's no different than how aristocrats work."

"The Kurosaki is aristocratic. Since our family has a high standing in wizardry too, I used to receive marriage offers from other wizard clans. We used to say how the Echt Quincy and pure-blood Wizards are all the same when concerning money, bloodline, and status." Isamu shrugged indifferently, "As far as the widespread knowledge, the Kurosaki Quincy's bloodline is extinct. The wizard bloodline is off-limits since I'm old and not getting another wife."

Ichigo gave out a wry smile, her granduncle surely has a taste in humor.

"But you do have a successor."

"I let my grandson do his own thing." Isamu shrugged before turning somber, "Ichigo, I'm sorry. For not reaching out a long time ago."

"What do you mean?"

"Do you remember the day your mother died?"

Ichigo instinctively stiffened.

"I never expect your father to tell you anything for all of his wishes that you can grow up normally. I suppose I can respect that... Except, the Kurosaki has a long history of not being normal and therefore doesn't always work in the long run." Isamu said wryly, "It all started the day my brother died. He was being recruited by what I would say, Quincy extremist group. The Vandereich they call themselves. Naturally, he refused. A fight ensues, resulting in the death of my brother and my sister-in-law, still, he managed to smuggle Masaki to me and the reason why I don't get custody of Masaki was that I literally don't exist in the Quincy community. The closest family that knew about me is the Ishida, we are distant relatives. Since I don't exist and not even a proper Quincy, they claimed her."

"Huh, how close were we with the Ishida?" 

"We related through a Prussian Quincy ancestor, but they're not actually Prussian. They just lived in Prussia."

"Ah, they were Jews, weren't they?" Ichigo guessed.

"Yes, exactly." Isamu nodded in confirmation, "Anyway, the Ishida wanted Masaki to be paired with Ryuuken when they reach adulthood. I don't want to attract the people who killed my brother, since they thought they killed all of his family members, so for the time being, I agreed. This is where your father, the Soul Reaper, gets into the picture."

That confirms it.

That Isshin was a Soul Reaper.

"You have no idea how shocked I am when Masaki calls me that she almost died after getting infected by a Hollow. I flew back to Japan as fast as I could and I was ready to throttle Isshin, Ryuuken, and that exiled scientist, who was apparently my regular customer's son, but Masaki told me not to kill them because they were the one who saved her life. Everything was fine for a couple of years...then Masaki told me that she's been seeing Isshin."

Isamu grabbed a wooden box from a drawer. Inside it is a ton of letters. He sorted out the date and seems to find the correct one. When Ichigo read it, she found two familiar names, Kisuke's name and her father's, except his surname, is Shiba instead of Kurosaki.

 

She never thought about that before. That Kurosaki is always her mother's not her father's. 

Isshin Shiba... Wait, Shiba... That is Kuukaku and Ganju's surname. Kasuga's deceased husband's surname is also Shiba, and she is the Shiba sibling grandmother...

Oh, my shit, Byakuya's my cousin?!

Not only that but she was also related to Sōjun this whole time...?

The next time she saw Byakuya, she is not sure if he can see him straight in the eyes.

 

"You don't agree?" Ichigo kind of relate. What is her mother found charming about her father?

"I-I don't know... In one way, Masaki is a bit sheltered for being raised as a Quincy, her Hollow incident is an eye-opening experience for her, and meeting Isshin was..." Isamu exhaled aloud, "I keep telling her, just because he saved you doesn't mean that you have to fall in love with him. I just don't understand what she sees in Isshin. No offense."

"None taken."

"Nevertheless, I gave them my blessing. The day they got married, oh what a merry day it was. The day you were born though...it was tense. Masaki was holding you like Isshin was going to attack you or something. Thankfully, he was far better when your sisters were born."

Guess it was not without reason why she was very attached to her mother. It was not about affection; it was about protection.

Instinctively Ichigo knew that her mother is the only person who is safe for her.

To think that she psychologically considered her father as a threat back then...

Ichigo flips the album to the page where the first photograph lies, "This photo is not for a Quincy-only moment, right? This is a Kurosaki and extended family moment."

Isamu seemed to have a tough difficulty answering that, "After you were born, Isshin was seldom holding you. It's no wild guess that it's not about he's being worried about dropping you or anything like that. He was a first-time father; he doesn't know what to do with you. Being born from a Soul Reaper and a Quincy who survives a soul suicide by a Hollow was a wonder on its own."

Yeah, she supposed the defense has some stand.

Her father is not perfect. Whether he was straight on parenting or overwhelmed back then, that was his personal problem. 

"Then a Hollow killed Masaki when you were nine... Which doesn't make sense since Masaki is powerful enough to destroy such small fry. The only explanation was Auswählen. As an extension of his ability to distribute pieces of his soul to others, Yhwach can forcibly take the power of other Quincy; he used this technique to regain his power during his revival. In that one second your mother's power was taken, the next second the Hollow struck her. A lot of Quincy died that day including Ryuuken's wife. After selecting Quincy whom he deems impure, including those with mixed blood, Yhwach can steal their powers and make them his own. This process is fatal to its victims, particularly those who are already weak."

 

The description of it was like the Holy Selection during the Camelot Singularities. Unfair and inhumane.

Who gets to die and who gets to live? 

Yhwach must have deemed Masaki to be impure because of the Hollow even though her abilities considered her to be an Echt. 

It does not sound Godly at all.

An act of God? More like an act of an Abomination.

 

"If I inherited a portion of Yhwach's soul, I would've died too that day," Isamu said as finality.

Ichigo frowned in confusion. Something does not add up, "Hold on, modern Quincy claims that Yhwach began the Quincy race and thus his blood flows in every Quincy. But Quincy already existed before he even exists."

"How...do you know that?"

"Know what?"

"That Quincy had existed before Yhwach even exist, that's not a general knowledge that even modern Quincy knows... Wait? How do you know about Quincy in general, I doubt Isshin and his wet paper bag of a gut, ever telling you this."

Ichigo bit the bottom of her lip, "He didn't. Someone else told me."

"Okay, Ryuuken then? Although, I doubt he told you. That kid has issues about being a Quincy. What was it that he said back then? That being a Quincy doesn't bring food on the table."

 

Maybe that is why Uryuu is a complete prat about being a Quincy since his father calls bullshit on their lineage pride and all of that.

 

"I never spoken to him... Ever."

"Who is it, then? The scientist?"

 

How to tell your granduncle that an ancient king from Israel told you about his oddball friend that your Quincy ancestor without explaining Chaldea as a whole...?

 

"... This...might be hard to believe..."

 


 

"I wonder what they're talking about, it's been three hours."

 

Sato is currently playing gobstones with Wizarding Britain's formerly most wanted fugitive, Sirius Black, while his werewolf schoolmate, Remus Lupin, is currently watching his godson.

At first, Harry Potter, The Boy Who Lived, gathered them because he wanted to play the magical marble game, then being a child who has a short attention span, he ditched them.

 

"Don't involve yourself in a family talk, trust me I speak this from experience," Sirius flicked his marble.

Sato's face crinkled, "I still can't believe my boss is hiding a fugitive, a werewolf, and the Boy Who Lived in his house."

"Former fugitive." Sirius corrected. "By the way, Isamu punched a Dementor when he broke me out of Azkaban."

"Yeah...he tends to do that."

"How do you punch a Dementor anyway?"

 

Little Harry Potter happily watching Ultraman. Not listening to what the adults are saying.

 


 

"You know about Yhwach from King David. The David from David and Goliath. Who was friends with Azriel, who is also our ancestor? How did we not know this?"

Ichigo is concerned.

Isamu looked as if he is one second away from getting a heart attack.

"Yes. David loved to say that they were a band; he played the harp, and Azriel played the flute."

"That makes no sense at all! How is it that David playing the harp to Saul was documented but not Azriel playing the flute?"

"Azriel was busy wrestling his neighbor for stealing his sheep."

"Why sheep?!"

 

Would it make you feel better if it's a horse?

 

"And now you're in ceasefire with the guy who created an omnipotent marble by combining his and Kusuriuri's son's version?"

Ichigo thinks she should grab her granduncle some water, both to drink and douse him off.

"Who's Kusuriuri?"

"The exiled scientist's father."

"... Urahara has a dad?"

"Of course, he has a dad! How do you think he comes into the world?!" Isamu's hands swayed in the air wildly, "It's just one war after another! First, the war between Quincy and Soul Reaper two hundred years ago, now Aizen, and then Yhwach in the future. Ichigo, this isn't right! You're not a child soldier!"

"Uncle, calm down," Ichigo said rather automatically.

"I can't believe this! This is yet the most irresponsible thing those gangrene of Reapers doing! What are they thinking about sending a bunch of teenagers to fight their war? Your friends too Ichigo, getting powers and what? Go their merry way fighting monster?! More like children who finally found out what arson is! I thought this family is bad enough trying to find a way to end Yhwach for over a millennium and now there's one more megalomaniac essentially stalking my grandniece!"

"Well, it's not like I'm any better..." Ichigo's voice faltered from Isamu's loud volume, "Also, what do you mean by this family had been trying to end Yhwach-"

"Yes! We've been trying to find a way to kill him for a long time! That damned monster, thinking he is the Tetragrammaton! As long as that false God exists, we'll never know peace!" Isamu drew a deep breath, "I'll kill him."

"What?"

"I'll kill Aizen like how I swear I'll kill Yhwach!"

 

No!

 

Ichigo hugged Isamu in reflex. Both froze up at the sudden action. Honestly, Ichigo was reminded of the Servants back in Chaldea who swear they will do anything for her, not because she was a Master but because they genuinely like her and found her admirable.

It is the closest thing she ever felt to what a family should be like and right now, a family member who stood up for her despite it is not even a day they have known each other.

With her selfish heart, she could hear it saying...

I don't want to lose you, I just found you.

Does her granduncle's heart say the same thing?

 

"Thank you. That's very kind of you. But with the existence of the Hōgyoku, I couldn't back away from the fight. I'm aware of what people think about me, that they thought I did it because I must protect them but I'm not, I don't fight Aizen because hate him either, I did it because of my idle curiosity to see how it ends. Fighting, protecting, and standing for what's right it's simply what I do along the way. You see, I'm no different than Aizen, I'm just as rotten as he is."

 

Without Scáthach, Ichigo will be the same kid who still thinks that everything must be done by her.

Without Merlin, she would not be as witty as her opponent.

Without Mash, she will never know what true companionship and friendship are.

Without Chaldea, she will never experience the world, sacrifice, and true horror that reality possesses.

Not this fight, not this one...

She will keep moving forward. She will survive.

After all, she did save the world multiple times.

 

"Oh Ichigo, you're not rotten... you're far from what rotten is..." 

The two Kurosaki finally fully embrace each other.

"Please remember," Isamu holds his grandniece by the shoulder, "When the time comes, just call. I'll gather our allies."

"I promise."

"If you need anything, just ask."

"Anything?"

"Anything."

 


 

After all the talks, Isamu declared Ichigo to the people who are in the shop. He told her that she should visit Kyoto sometimes with her younger sisters to see the family compound where her mother was raised. With that, Ichigo realized that her mother was not a native Karakura citizen from birth. Sato was told to give back the money which Ichigo used to pay for the aquamarine, and it will be repaid with the family money.

Isamu does not listen to her when she said that he does not need to do that.

"What is the word 'anything' that you don't understand, Ichigo."

Yeah, okay, fair enough.

It is not like it is her fault that she never had control over a huge amount of money.

 

Ichigo is also introduced to a distant cousin that Isamu, eloquently quote; shanghaied; to Japan when he was a year old. Together with the boy's formerly imprisoned godfather and his werewolf friend.

This should raise some red flags, but Isamu assured her that they are friendly.

 

The boy's relation is from her foreign great-grandmother, and he did not inherit anything about being a Quincy.

 

His name is Hadrian James Potter, a wizard, and when Ichigo looked him in the eyes, she knew that this boy would have an eventful life ahead of him. 

 


 

Shinji is looking at the clock as it is almost ten. The outside is dark, it is a curfew, and Ichigo has not come back. He admits that he is worried if anything happens to her, the Visored will get the blame.

Stepping outside the warehouse and taking out his phone, he almost dialed Kisuke to venting when he sees a red-haired blob from afar.

Ichigo came running, sweat-drenched on her whole body except her face clearly showed happiness.

"Where haf' ye been?!" Shinji bellowed.

"Shopping!"

On Ichigo's back is a sack usually used to pack potatoes. Instead of actual potatoes, Shinji's eyes bulged when the sack was dumped on the ground, rocks with the sizes almost the same, if not bigger, as said root vegetables rolled out.

"What the Hell..." Shinji said in confusion.

Ichigo pulled out a blueprint from a pocket dimension. The schematic on the blueprint reminded Shinji of a human weapon called a gun, except the barrel is unbelievably long.

"Nothing wrong with extra firepower when you prepare for a war, am I right?" Ichigo smirked.

Shinji thought that it is way too late, and he does not have the energy to deal with any of this.

 

Notes:

Sirius went 'NO' about Harry being at the Dursley and contact Lily's extended relatives to take in Harry and the Isamu went 'I'm gonna do what I call a pro-gamer move' to break out Sirius out of Azkaban and make it look like an accident because a Kurosaki DO WHATEVER THEY WANT. "Oh hi, Remus u can come too". The Wizarding Britain can only go 'what the fuck is going on?!?!?!'

Isago (砂金) means gold dust. I didn't realize the name rhymed with Ichigo for hours until it clicks, I just type 'rarest name for a Japanese man' in Google and pick which I like the most. Isamu (勇) means bravery. Contrary to his twin, his name is quite popular.
The twin genes came from the Kurosaki family!

Pocket dimension is a canon magecraft spell. In the anime of The Case Files of Lord El-Melloi II, one of the characters literally hid a severed head. It can be opened by saying the correct password.

Chapter 35: Our Answer

Summary:

"-- Or we could beat every last one of them to within the films of their lives. You'd like that, wouldn't you?... I know you would." (Fray Myste, DRK Quest)

Don't you know? I was here long before you met.

Notes:

Sorry for the wait, I got teeth surgery.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Shinji is lying on the ground as he tries his best to ease the ache in his eyes. Besides him are Hachi, who is meditating, and Mashiro, who has been groveling non-stop for hours. The rest of the Visored (which is Love and Hiyori) are tending to Lisa, Rose, and Kensei, lying in exhaustion after Ichigo finished dealing with their shares of the Hollow problem.

Ichigo, however, showed no sign of fatigue as she walked far to the corner of the training ground ten minutes ago, to answer a call. 

Shinji could hear her faint discussion in English, which means the call did not come from Kisuke, Yoruichi, or any of her friends. It is not his business to pry that Ichigo has a friend who is a foreigner either.

He groaned again for the nth time and took up some ibuprofen that Ichigo had prepared, practicing to control their Hollow power again is suck.

The inconsistency of controlling their reiryoku; changing from a normal state to a Hollow state, often was way too abrupt, and it affected the already deal-with Visored's eyes muscle. They cannot summon their mask willy-nilly anymore because that is a far stronger state than turning their eye color. It gave them a new perspective of what a destructive power they had and they could literally feel it; their strength was the same as when their masks were white, they had not tried to test the difference in their abilities for the current mask; perhaps if they can topple a building before, they can probably topple a mountain now.

That was why the redheaded time traveler advised... Use it wisely; after you get the hang of it, of course.

Shinji turned his head to the side to observe huge craters courtesy of Kensei and Rose's rampages.

Tachikaze was not as reasonable as Sakanade, instead of choosing a battle upon perspective, the Zanpakutou spirit made its wielder walk through a maze of whirlwinds and get beaten up on the way. 

Rose's Zanpakutou, Kinshara, made his wielder become the noisiest off-tuned musical instrument that nobody can comprehend that is able to come out of his mouth.

Lisa's tame in comparison. Haguro Tonbo riddled her master with the standard of beauty for some reason. Spends most of the session akin to falling asleep while standing, Ichigo does not even need to do anything from the outside. In the end, she woke up as if she had come out of possession, and fell to the ground face-first.

She strangely refused to elaborate any further as she was embarrassed.

Embarrassed? From someone who reads porn magazines daily?

 

Unbelievable.

 

In the end, that leaves Love, and Hiyori who have not gone through the process.

 

Shinji asked if there is some kind of order and Ichigo confirmed it, if he did not volunteer, he would be the fifth to go instead of the first. The reason was their Zanpakutou temperament, which is very suspicious of her to say...

How did Ichigo know about their Zanpakutou temperament if they never told her anything about it?

 

Ichigo also gave many historical bits, explaining that exploring the many sides of their Soul is one of the many ways ancient people achieved their goals, whether to survive or war. Though the war was mostly why the culture developed so much as being put on the frontline is a sign of pride, and believing they will win the battle not just out of duty, but also confidence.

The land inhabitant also made sense since it was filled with creatures and monsters coming out of myth and legend; everything was as big or even bigger than an elephant, enemies came out from another dimension, and mutated vegetation not because of experimentation but simply because Mother Nature will it, really, the bloodshed was out of survival. 

And the humans, oh the humans, no matter how obscene their bloodline is, by the standard of ancient times are still considered human. Ancient times were the age when Gods were everywhere, and even normal humans were way stronger than today's counterparts. It is like saying that Neanderthals were a social construct back then. 

 

Shinji blew a stray blond hair that lay on his face and relished everything that had been going on for the past few days, wondering how in the Hell he got himself in this kind of situation.

... Oh right, Aizen.

 

"Yeah, yeah call me back later. Actually, just visits me when I sleep. It'll save my phone battery."

 

Shinji blinked when he heard that. What did she say...?

 

"Hey, are you guys hungry? I can make some lunch for you guys." Ichigo said as she approached the tired Visoreds.

"Eh... Ya don't hav' to, Hiyori and Love can buy food from the grocery store."

"Nonsense. I'll have you know I'm an excellent cook, you know."

"That's not wat' I-"

Ichigo already left for the kitchen to be a good-mannered guest.

"There's nothing on the fridge, Ichigo!"

 

The Visored owns a vintage refrigerator that she often saw in old American movies; It is filled with an assortment of mushrooms, one of them must be a huge fan of eating fungi, a carton of milk, and a half-eaten chocolate bar. In the freezer is a whole frozen chicken with yesterday as the expiration date -hence the discount sticker, and assorted types of ice cream with names taped on the lid. There are no eggs or other types of vegetables.

Thankfully basic seasoning dwells on the spice rack. 

Ichigo did not judge whether the Visored did not have the time to do grocery shopping or were just plain lazy.

She wrote down a list of ingredients on a paper napkin, then told Kon to borrow her body and go to a nearby market. She put on a dull apron that lay helplessly on an island, picked a knife, and took out all of the mushrooms from the fridge; there was an ungodly amount of edible fungi to be chopped.

She also heated up some water on a pan and placed the frozen chicken in it to speed up the defrosting process. 

"Ugh! Why do I feel like I'm coming back to Shin'ō Academy," Shinji sauntered into the kitchen while massaging his eyes, "To think that I have to start all over again."

"It might as well be since this is Scáthach's curriculum back in ancient times. By the way, why do you have so many mushrooms?" 

"Mashiro thought it's funny," Shinji watches how Ichigo uses the kitchen knife as if she is a robot, "So, how long did it take ya' ta' get the hang of it?"

"A year. But getting used to it was the hardest part, though I was thrown into a lot of...situations to test it out. Don't worry, you guys have already been using your mask for a long time, it'll be briefer than me," Ichigo flipped the knife she held cooly, "The key is to find the right switch."

Shinji wanted to scream 'The right switch, ma' ass!' then he remind himself that Ichigo herself did not have it easy learning it. Even after she found the right switch it was a long way to go before she could fully master it.

He did hear from Yoruichi's stories that Ichigo in her Bankai, using her Hollow power, able to hold Aizen's blade when the man was attempted to bifurcate her. The cat woman did not see it herself. She gets the information through an exchange with Byakuya Kuchiki and his Lieutenant who of course thought that it was generally her Bankai abilities.

Ichigo never confirmed nor denied that it was generally her Bankai abilities.

Shinji wondered why she did not just conjure her entire armor right off, would not her chance of beating Aizen be much easier?

He cannot help but flinch in surprise when another Ichigo, which obviously is the (as Kisuke plainly puts it) transformed mod soul takes over Ichigo's human body bursting in with bags of groceries.

Ichigo pats him on the head for being a good boy.

Shinji witnesses the sight, can only think 'dude, that's your own body you're being complimented at.

Of course, the person inside it is different, and yet...it is still weird.

"At last, some proper vegetables. Now where's that oil bottle- Ah, there it is." Ichigo grabbed a pot and poured a little bit of oil, before grabbing an onion and two cloves of garlic, and chopping again, "Speaking of Shin'ō Academy, what was it like to be a student there?"

"What's with the academy?"

"Oh, you think a Soul Reaper school for a human like me is a typical occurrence? Curiosity, Hirako-san. Come on, humor me a little bit."

It has been a long curiosity for Ichigo about Shin'ō Academy.

Back then, when Chaldea dropped her at Soul Society which is experiencing a pseudo-Singularity, she seldom asked questions because it was always tense and she feared being suspected of spying.

The academy was destroyed at that timeline. Well, a lot of things were destroyed. Since the enemy was able to destroy the sekkiseki barrier. 

Shinji sighed, "Shin'ō? For a start, that place was-"   

"Boring."

"So so."

"Cutthroat."

"Meh."

"Nepotism."

"Sucks."

Hachi only hummed.

The Visored looked at each other when they realized they had been answering simultaneously.

It seems they went from "Yay, school!" to "Fuck school!" real fast.

Hold on-

"When the heck did you get over here?!" Shinji screeched.

Ichigo was completely unperturbed and continued cooking by sauteing the onion and the garlic that had already been diced.

"We sense good food!" Mashiro gave a thumb-up.

"Bullshit! You're just happy because ya' didn't hav' ta' go out buying food today! Also, stop buying things we don't need, ya gonna bleed our money dry!" Shinji pointed accusingly and sighed again, knowing it was pointless arguing with Mashiro, "Back ta' ya' question Ichigo, Shin'ō was... I think it wasn't bad or great, I guess. Suffice ta' say, I have expectations and got defied."

"Yeah, the high-class people kinda kill the excitement," Kensei scoffed.

 

Right... the segregation between rich kids and country bumpkins does happen everywhere. No matter what the dimension is, all societies are the same.

 

"I mean, you guys studied three hundred and ninety-six different forms of spells and incantations divided into four different spell houses to graduate. That has to be something." Ichigo puts the chopped mushrooms into the pot to be sauteed, then realizes the Visored were looking at her like she was a psychic, "Is something wrong with what I just said?"

"First of all, no. We don't need to be able to do three hundred and ninety-six different forms of spells and incantations divided into four different spell houses to graduate. Not with a novice Reiryoku of a freshman, unless you're a prodigy. Second, those words are exactly what our old Kidō instructor repeated every damn time during lessons!" Lisa practically gritted her teeth and proceeded to mock what was seemingly a reenactment of the said instructor, "YuO nEED tO rEmeMber thEsE tHRee HuNDrEd AnD NinEty-SiX SPellS, IF NoT, YoU LOt Are as gOOd aS dEaD! Screw that old man!"

"Now, now, Lisa. I'm sure he said that to encourage students," Hachi reasoned.

"Then don't add dead at the end of the encouragement!"

"I don't even remember that it's exactly three hundred and ninety-six," Love added.

"... How are you even a captain?"

"I didn't count it, I just remembered it as it is!" Love defended his case, "How do you know about this three hundred...how many was it? Anyway, how do you know about it, Ichigo?"

"I read Urahara-san's old academy books. Well, it's more like there's this bookcase and I read every book in it; and scroll occasionally. There are some notes written by Tessai-san, his sōsho is practically a work of art." Ichigo seasoned the mushroom mixture and added a splash of white wine. She found it funny that the Visored had a bottle of Bordeaux Sauvignon Blanc instead of some proper vegetables; then added two spoons of flour, and mixed it up a bit before adding some water, letting the soup simmer for a bit.

"... You were reading Captain Tsukabishi's Kidō notes?" Hachi sent this rather questionable look, "You can read it?"

 

Shit... Ichigo forgot that when someone jots down their spell creation, it will be written like a code.

What Hachi meant was if she was able to decipher Tessai's notes...

 

Truthfully, Ichigo had no idea how to read sōshotai -Japanese cursive writing- then learned it on the way by seeing a lot of ancient Japanese Servants write that way. Kichi Hougen advised if she wanted to make a lot of ofuda, cursive writing is the way. Who cares if other people cannot read the damn papers, they will be burned to bits after being used anyway.

It is pretty heartwarming that the Japanese Servants enthusiastically teach Ichigo, not only in fighting but also in culture, although it does make her seem to be somewhat of an overqualified scholar by the end of the day.

So yeah... She can read Tessai's notes perfectly fine.

"I meant his handwriting is really pretty," Ichigo deflected.

"... I see." Hachi hummed again.

Ichigo added milk to the soup at the end, "Alright, the mushroom soup is ready, grab a bowl, everyone!" And proceeded to butcher the defrosted chicken, saying she would make a chicken casserole for dinner-with mushrooms of course, instead of joining for a meal. Goddamn, I'm turning into Emiya...

 

Shinji's paying attention to Ichigo very clearly. Despite her good intentions, she does hide a lot of stuff, and it is shared to a varying degree. For example; she immediately shared the fact that she is a time traveler to a bunch of former Soul Reapers instead of her friends, although she did not exactly explain what kind of time traveling she experienced to any of them. That is fine for Shinji though, if she does not want to tell it then so be it. 

What turned Ichigo Kurosaki, the teen who was as stubborn as her fellow teenage friends, into an apathetic adult? Well, it is not like Ichigo is heartless, is more akin to someone who seldom gets up in the morning to get to work. Shinji knows how that feels because he was a captain and he was often seldom getting up courtesy of the incoming paperwork. So what gives? Someone worse than Aizen?

"Hey, Ichigo do ya' think there was someone worse than Aizen?" Shinji asked, scooping a spoonful of mushroom soup into his mouth.

Ichigo slurped her share of soup and visibly pondered at the question, "Yes... I guess. Depends on where their morality lies. In fact, I can be the 'someone' worse than Aizen." 

The Visored stared pointedly at Ichigo.

"I'm serious. But would I work together with the guy? No."

"Why not?" Rose ventured rather hesitantly.

"He's not my type." 

That makes Kensei choke on his food and Love had to do the Heimlich maneuver on him.

Hiyori, flabbergasted, slams her spoon on the table, "What kind of answer is that?!"

The kind of answer for someone who went through multiple Singularities, Remnants, and Lostbelts. Turned immune to even the most lethal poisons, frequently needing to survive in the wilderness with no civilization in sight and definitely no prior experience in identifying edible plants, unaware that the contents of my stomach are 'a never-before seen' cocktail of toxins with sufficient quantity and potency to kill the entire population of a micronation. It's cool now, I don't have it anymore.

"Ichigo, that's your PTSD talking," Fray said.

Ichigo eye-smiled, "Sorry, that's my PTSD talking."

"WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!" All the Visored raged, except Hachi.

Shinji then saw Ichigo's head flicked lazily to the side like she heard something that anyone else did not catch on. He noticed she did this a lot. At that time when some Arrancars arrived in Karakura, Ichigo reacted faster than him when the Arrancar's reiatsu swept over the city. How did she keep doing that Shinji wondered too, is it because she was able to sense foreign Reiatsu far better than anyone, or is it entirely something else she sensed...

"Someone has slipped past through my barrier," Hachi said.

This time she reacted faster than Hachi realizing that his barrier had been breached. Everyone was immediately on guard, but as Shinji expected, Ichigo was not alert at all. Is it someone she knew?

"A Soul Reaper?" Love asked.

"No, the technique I used to manipulate the surroundings is something I developed after becoming a Visored. It's impossible to be broken by a Soul Reaper's Kidō," Hachi explained.

"Then what is it? Are you saying it's something similar to us Visored?" Kensei gritted.

"It's someone natural at manifesting barriers. Her breaking through your barrier is similar to computer hacking, minus the bad intention, of course... Actually Hachi-san, after observing your Kidō, her power is similar to the technique you developed." How can someone get powers similar to a Kidō that Hachi developed? It is not about unfairness, it is about probability. Ichigo suddenly had a bright idea. Why didn't I think about this before, Hachi-san can be Orihime's instructor!

Everyone gets out of the kitchen and looks up to see Orihime walking down the stairs of the training ground. Feeling a lot of eyes suddenly on her the girl turned sheepish. The newly arrived teenager's own eyes though are seeking the only person she knows in the group and when she finally finds Ichigo, she waves her hand at her.

The Visored was astounded that a human was able to break into Hachi's barrier so easily. Ichigo simply waved back without any sense of surprise at her friend's actions.

"Ichigo, are yer' friends really human?" Shinji asked.

"Oh, they're human alright. Although I do suspect they carried some sort of passive lineage in their genetics. Urahara explained that their power was able to manifest because of the Hōgyoku, one theory is that they gathered around me and started developing their spiritual powers, but..." Ichigo watched Orihime running toward her in excitement, "But even if that theory is true, that alone is not enough to support why they manifested the way it was. After all, there's no such thing as a coincidence."

 

The truth is, one does not get ability because of the power of hearts, that is the part that empowers it. The sentence 'Out of Sheer Fucking Will' exists for a reason after all. However, why a power or an ability looked like that and was shaped like that, had a basis, a reason. That is where genetics comes into play and is a gacha flowing in DNA since the chance of a trait being passed down can vary; immediate offspring or maybe skipped a few generations.

It is a Mystery that only a direct descendant can inherit.

The Hōgyoku, loosely translated as Crumbling Orb, did the deeds by crumbling down Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime's DNA so the mystical side of their bloodline resurfaces. Chad is the only one who had the ability already apparent by having inhuman strength, Ichigo has a suspicion that did not come from his Japanese side of the family but rather from the Mexican one.

An easy example would be the mini capsule toy machines of the Pokemon series at a crane game center. When someone wanted a Charizard but when they put the coin in and rolled, they get a Psyduck instead. If they had the Hōgyoku, it is a damn satisfaction guarantee by making the capsule toy machine all filled with Charizard so they can get the damn Charizard. This is the technicality that made one wishes come true. It was granted because the existing material was already there!

The hairpin was a gift from Orihime's older brother, right? What are the chances of Sora Inoue buying the hairpin from a shady merchant who is probably not human? This is Japan we are talking about, the shady merchant is probably a Tengu-- Oh no, is it Kichi Hougen?! What was she doing so far away from Mount Kurama?! Did not the Tengu have a clear precedent of coming in contact with humans and granting them something? Do the Tengu keep tabs on priestesses' bloodlines in Japan?

Should I get Kichi Hougen's phone number from Merlin so I can ask for clarity?! 

It does not matter now, the hairpin is already on Orihime's head!

 

"I won't guess of her bloodline, that's hard to pin. But the hairpin on her head; if it was made of plastic, would be destroyed since it was insufficient to channel whatever power she had. It wasn't some ordinary construction either, whoever made it was able to apply a point of convergence of light or other electromagnetic radiation, particles, sound waves, or a point from which they appear to diverge. In layman's terms, it's a foci."

"Who made her hairpin then?" Hachi is especially curious about this.

"Oh, you know," Ichigo braces herself from Orihime's hug, "Those old crows living in the mountains do keep Japan interesting, don't they?" She gritted out.

"Were you talking about crows, Ichigo?" Orihime asked, unaware of her friend's hands gripped tight as a sign of annoyance toward a mythical dark feathered chicken.

"Yes, they're lovely birds aren't they?" Ichigo pretends like she has not been talking about her friend just now. She bet Kichi Hougen is laughing out of her ass up there, "So what brings you here?"

"Oh, right! I have some news from the Head Captain!"

"Head Captain? Do you mean Captain-Commander Yamamoto? How?"

"Tōshirō-kun and Rangiku-san brought this giant TV into my apartment!"

... Tōshirō-kun? 

Ichigo is mentally face-palmed. Great, she is going to get blamed for this. Orihime just because I call him Tōshirō doesn't mean you can, at least I can fight him if he's pissed!

"That's Captain Tōshirō Hitsugaya you talking about, you call him Tōshirō-kun?" Lisa raised one of her eyebrows.

"He doesn't seem to mind though."

"He does mind about it," Ichigo exhaled.

Rose leaned in to whisper, "She has no sense of security at all, is she?"

"Tell me about it."

 

The Gotei 13 discovered that Aizen's true objective is to create an Ōken, a key that allows passage to the Soul King Palace. Said palace is protected by the Royal Guards or also known as the Zero Division. The thing is, what he researched was not about the whereabouts of the key but how to create it and it did not lie in the method, instead, it lies in the material.

In order to create an Ōken, one needs a hundred thousand human souls and a patch of land that is considered a Jureiichi with one spirit li per radius. A Jureiichi indicates a singular spiritual point in the Human World, the location changes with time. In every era, the spiritually heterogeneous land in the Human World where most spiritual beings tend to gather is given that name, and the Jureiichi Aizen has his eye on is Karakura Town.

To put it bluntly, in the event of completing an Ōken using the method in said reference, the town and the people in it will be wiped out of existence.

Ichigo rested her chin on her hand, it was not the worst act of purge she ever heard...or witnessed. First, the Hōgyoku, now an Ōken. Wow. Looks like Aizen is addicted to making human sacrifices...and soul sacrifices.

There is a theory of what he does becomes possible. It lies in sacrifice, an offering of a miracle for greater purposes. The living beings carried a speck of Miracle inside them which defines why they exist in this world. That applies to the soul in Soul Society too, after all; they are alive, born, catered to, and got the chance to be named. Gather around this tiny little speck with potential and voila, a greater miracle...which takes the form of a toy marble, a very, very, problematic-inducing toy marble. And what is next? A key?!

My, my, Aizen, what a...tribal method you have there. Cannot rob the Akasha and this is what you do? Classic ritual murder. After you become a God you wanted these souls to serve you and appease you? Do not forget to dance when you do the ceremony, buddy.

Ichigo chuckled lowly, she could feel her sanity was leaving her body. Anybody, please just shoot me right now! For fuck sake, I hate I can't get a dam drink in this country yet. She turned toward the Orihime and not forgetting to smile, "Anything else?"

"Just that, for now," Orihime giving her friend a worried look, "Ichigo, you don't seem surprised about Aizen's intention."

"Ha-ha... Why should I? The eradication of our hometown shouldn't surprise me. Believe me, if I tell you this Orihime, he's super predictable." 

The answer is not what Orihime expected, "Uh, Ichigo are you okay?"

"NO, I'M NOT!- Sorry." Ichigo coughed politely, then manic came back in her eyes the next second, "I mean, was the previous Ōken was created the same way? That doesn't make sense at all! There should be a shred of historical evidence in Japan of some ancient town being wiped off to create the key for the already existing Royal Guards. If not, then there are other things that are considered as the currency to create the key! Like what? Did Aizen find the information was considered the 'easy way', so how come the conclusion of sacrificing a Jureiichi with one spirit li per radius which consisted of a hundred thousand human souls exists in the Soul Society's record?!" 

"Oi, Ichigo stop it!" Shinji grabbed the redhead by the collar before she could go even more ballistic with her unpredictable words. Besides Orihime started to look very uncomfortable with the outburst. 

Ichigo automatically slaps Shinji's hand away. What is she a cat?

"Ichigo, listen. Ya' made yer' point. But we don't know fer' sure the correct answer fer' that. This is something that even Captains have limited access to-- Uh, Orihime-chan who was tasked to investigate in the Central 46's Seijōtōkyorin?"

"Oh, it's Captain Ukitake."

"Right, inside the Seijōtōkyorin there's the Daireishokairō -yeah, it's the library whatevah'-, even Captain didn't haf' the majority access of it. Ukitake must haf' a hard time investigating this."

"That or he's bad at googling stuff." Ichigo chided sarcastically, "I mean, who doesn't up for a good ol' barfight in the middle of doomsday? Because I do! I want to beat the shit out that motherfucker, son of a bitch who got a lot of free time for thinking 'oh, what a great time to commit a war crime!'," Ichigo kicked at one of the many stray rocks on the training ground, "Fucking prick!"

Orihime is very scandalized at her friend's choice of words to express her distaste, while the Visored look as if they are almost impressed. 

Truthfully, Ichigo's current choice of cusses is still in the polite zone. Hanging around Francis Drake or Edward Teach will positively affect one speech in a bad way, or in this case, in a good way.

"Orihime, what are you doing after this?" 

Orihime almost flinches away when Ichigo's head swiftly goes to her.

"Uh, to Urahara-san place."

"Belay that, you're staying here."

"But I need to tell Sado-kun and the other-"

"Use this," Ichigo fished out her cell phone out of her pants pocket and shoved it into Orihime's hand, "Urahara's number is under the name Geta-Boshi." She clapped her hand to get the Visored attention, "Alright, originally I'm going to start with Rose-san, Love-san, then Hiyori-san last. I change my mind! You three, who's going first?"

Rose and Love exchange a hesitant glance, but Hiyori is vibrating in her sitting pose. 

"I will! I got tired of waiting for ma' turn!" Hiyori exclaimed, stomping to the middle part of the smooth training area.

"Hachi-san, I have a favor, look after Orihime. Feel free to investigate her power." 

Hachi looked dumbfounded by the request, Orihime who finished using Ichigo's phone also heard of it.

"You want me to what?"

"Ichigo-kun, what?"

"Make no mistake, I have a suspicion about your power, Hime. However, I needed a second opinion or at least a discussion on it. Seeing Urahara-san reluctant to talk about it, I decided to take it to my hand." Ichigo paused, choosing the words she was going to utter at the girl, "Orihime, Urahara-san will never let you take part in this battle against Aizen, and neither will I... No matter how strong your desire to get stronger so you can participate."

Orihime felt stumped, "But...but why...who will help you-"

"This again? Haven't you learned anything during the summer? Don't make this about me, this is about you! Hell, this is about Chad and Tatsuki too. I'll chain the three of you at your respective abode if all of you go smack your way about entering this war! This isn't about what we have to win, it's about what we're demanded to win! That's the reality that hasn't reached your head!"

Orihime's silence is worth a thousand words.

"I'm needed, so I'll never have to be sent away ever again."

Orihime raises her head to meet Ichigo's eyes.

"Isn't it? That's how you feel, isn't it?"

Orihime did not answer. Ichigo walked away and prepared herself to deal with Hiyori.

Shinji sighed, "Ya' okay?"

"I'm... I'm okay. I'm glad Ichigo is honest with me..." Orihime felt her fingers go cold, "But why does it hurt? What did I miss? What did I didn't see?"

"Ichigo is right, ya know. We're demanded to win. It's not participating, it's because we have no choice but to participate. Our basic instinct tells us to get stronger because deep down, we don't want ta' die. As a human, ya' should be far more sensitive. Is getting power making you dull about it?" Shinji shrugged, "M' not human. Spending more than a hundred years living in the human world, however, taught me something about ya' lot; a power being shoved onto their hands, no matter how small or big it was, they always thought they were able to take on the world." Shinji's eyes flicked to Hachi, who nodded in agreement, "Orihime-chan, I suggest ya' take on Ichigo's advice ta' be under Hachi's guidance...even if she didn't say it that way, since both of yer' power is somewhat similar."

"I understand... Uhm, what's Ichigo doing here, if I may ask? Everybody's worried since she hasn't come home for days."

Everybody? Shinji is reminded of Ichigo's cold relationship with her father, the man knows but acts like he does not know, she basically tells her sister why she is away, and the resident in Urahara Shop knows where she is. Who is the 'everybody' she is talking about? Right, he almost forgot some of the missives sent by Soul Society are close to Ichigo, "Oh yeah, ya' might as well enjoy the show while yer' here."

 

 

Hiyori saw Ichigo inscribing an unknown alphabet on the ground with the butt of her scabbard, she swore not even Hachi ever used said array alphabet. It keeps writing into forming a huge circle that is at least big enough as an arena. Strange, she cannot remember why Ichigo wrote those or what are they for. She would have asked if someone was going to do some incantation directed at her.

"... Aren't ya' being too blunt at yer' friend?" Hiyori trying to initiate small talk.

"I wasn't being her friend." In Ichigo's opinion, that is out of character from the petite blonde, "I was expecting you to shout at me from a miles away to hurry up. Sorry, if I made an uncomfortable situation, I was impulsive and made an impulsive decision."

"... I wasn't gonna do that," Hiyori faltered.

Ichigo chuckled, "No need to ground yourself, I know you're impatient, you just can't wait for your turn... But you're also angry at me and maybe feeling disappointed that you actually have to go last."

"I-I wasn't angry at ya'!"

"Hiyori-san, I've known quite a lot of people who act like you. Please, don't lie to yourself. I bet you were thinking who is this girl, coming out of nowhere, saying that she has a solution to their Hollow problem? Which I have to defend in this case is not a solution at all since I can't make the Hollow inside you disappear. Admit it, you wanted it gone, didn't you? Your little scaley problem?"

Scaley? How did she know- "How did you know about-"

"I know, I've seen them before. Hiyori-san, don't you realize that you're already in your Inner World?"

Hiyori felt her whole vision take an overturn, like someone who did a backflip, and within that flip, there is almost a second where people did not see their surroundings. It is a similar feeling, she saw her whole surroundings changing into a misty forest, standing on a wooden platform with a lotus motif engraved on it. Said platform is floating on a lake, surrounded by water with color as black as ink, and she cannot GEt OuT unless she swims across. A shadow of a snake flying on the misty air as if they stalking its prey, red eyes trailing and fading away.

Hiyori, for some reason, cannot remember if her inner world is usually like this. She senses herself starting to PAnIC and wanting to escape.

Why is she trying to get out? This is the world inside her Soul, why is she panicking about it? Hiyori turned around and met a figure made out of the smoke, yellow beady eyes embedded in it, she stumbled backward in surprise. The smoke extended as if it was trying to...wave?

"Hiyori-san?" The smoke has Ichigo's voice.

"Wha-? Why are you a smoke?!" Hiyori pointed accusingly.

"A smoke you say. You don't see me as what I am..." The smoke is thinking, "Hiyori-san, I want you to be honest with me, are you trying to forget this place?"

"What is that supposed ta' mean?"

"What do you think it's supposed to mean?"

 

Abandon?

ABanDoN?

 

Abandon? Why did I choose to use that word?

 

There was a distant hiss. Distant. Fading. Far away. The snake's shadow encircles them always and never gets closer.

"Maybe, you should close that space Hiyori-san," Ichigo said.

 

Space?

 

sPaCe?

 

"What space?"

 

 

It is been five minutes since Ichigo activated the barrier she inscribed and everything has gone down in a mess. Hiyori is dissociative within herself. Big problem. The moment she started her Jinzen, acting as if she got a heart attack, her reiatsu engulfed herself and transformed her into a six-headed snake with six tails-- Actually, it is currently five-headed with five tails since one is left in Hiyori 's inner world. Each head wearing a protruding mask which she guesses is the petite Visored's usual Hollow mask.

She got to admit, Kubikiri Orochi is one batshit Zanpakutou spirit. Also five heads? She wonders if the spirit is only two heads away from divinity-- Anyway, that is not important now! 

There is no one second where they did not even try to eat Ichigo. To be fair, she expected this. Though she never experienced or ever handled a case like this herself before and it is starting to get out of hand.

"Hirako-san, Hachi-san, Mashiro! Get in here!"

"What?!" Shinji and Mashiro gawked. Hachi did not say anything, his eyes only went wide.

"I said get in here!"

"Okay! But how? Your barrier literally trying to zap us every time we get closer!" Shinji shouted back.

"Yup, sorry about that! It is designed to keep people away and the target inside! I'll rewrite the inscription so you can get in," Ichigo writes a lightning rune and blasts Kubikiri Orochi away, "You chill out for a bit snakey! And Kon, catch my body!"

Shinji, Hachind Mashiro saw a hole forming in the dome-shaped barrier and jumped in, followed by Ichigo throwing her body out of the barrier as Kon took over its consciousness. The redhead is now in her Soul Reaper garb and sword ready in her hand, her eyes instantly glowing yellow, as a sign of the use of her Hollow power. She tapped the ground and an array of giant magic circles, as big as the dome dimension, appeared.

"I need you three to hold down Kubikiri Orochi while I establish contact with Hiyori."

"What? What's going on with her?" Shinji unsheaths Sakanade and blocks a tail aimed at him, "And what do ya' mean this is Kubikiri Orochi?"

"It wasn't Hiyori who was angry, it was Kubikiri Orochi. We're not dealing with an internal conflict; this is a conflict denial! My form in her inner world is incoherent, I have to reform myself as a person there before I completely snuff out!"

"Shit!" Shinji flipped to the side to avoid a Cero being shot at him, "How do ya' know about that? Did yer' teacher tell ya' about a similar case?"

"That similar case is me!" Ichigo planted her sword on the ground.

Shinji was going to say something about that revelation, then stopped himself as he heard a chant coming from Ichigo. There are only three words, and it is repeated over and over again.

 

Vision, dream, revelation

Vision, dream, revelation

Vision, dream, revelation

 

 

Hiyori did not what is going on. The smoke starts to stretch, forming a man's limb, and somehow, she sees Ichigo again. The redhead grabbed her shoulder hard.

"Confront them."

Hiyori has no idea what is Ichigo talking about. She saw a shadow of a-- Is it a dragon or a giant bird? She really could not tell, chasing the shadow of a snake in the misty sky. Blue eyes trail the red eyes.

"I'm telling you to close that space, Hiyori-san. Your Zanpakutou spirit is a six-headed snake, why do you think there's only one here?"

Hiyori heard another roar. It is a different roar. It is the winged beast's roar.

"It's hurt, isn't it? When you're the one who has little understanding with your Hollow, your Alter Ego. Thrown into a new world, forgotten by your previous comrades, and you're a long way from home. You're angry, you're betrayed, you're disappointed, you're sad, you're afraid. You have every reason to feel all of that...but never abandon yourself."

The winged beast bites the snake.

... And the snake retaliates.

Ichigo stepped back when Hiyori swung the Shikai form of her Zanpakutou at her. She smirked, "Well, done."

"Ichigo..." Hiyori took a deep breath, "Get the Hell out of my world."

"Not without a fight." Ichigo coyly brandished her sword.

The snake and the winged beast in the sky collide with each other, clearing the sky out of the mist, and the water turns clear. They are falling into the water, creating a wave that is high enough to envelop Hiyori and Ichigo.

Swords pointed at each other.

The snake hissed and the winged beast roared, each of them behind Hiyori and Ichigo. Hiyori really could not discern the form of the winged beast, it is shrouded in black mist as if it meant for her not to know what its true form is.

"It's still one snake, Hiyori-san."

"Just Hiyori, it's fine."

Ichigo blinked and smiled, "Pleasure meeting you."

For a second, Hiyori saw Ichigo, not as the teenager she used to be, but as a tall redhead with long hair which french-braided, tied with a black bow, then she blacked out.

 

 

"Is that...a Gran Ray Cero?" Hachi was dumbfounded seeing the big blast being prepared to be fired at them.

"It sure did..." Mashiro said in agreement.

"Ichigo now will be a good time fer ya' to do whatever yer' gonna do-"

Ichigo suddenly got up and beheld her sword at Kubikiri Orochi, eyes blazing blue, in a color of the ocean in most, unlike human manner. The eyes...is that of a star! She ran forward and jumped high in the direction of the Cero.

 

"Vision. Dream. Revelation!"

 

Shinji does not understand what he is seeing. Did Ichigo just shift into a giant freaking winged monster?!

It is as if made out of an ever-cycling black and red energy, and the eyes are blue, the same ocean blue. Towering high it almost hit the ceiling of the training facility and engulfs Kubikiri Orochi, effectively canceling the Gran Ray Cero. He thought there was going to be an explosion, except it dispersed into these tiny lights.

Ichigo carried Hiyori in her arms as they descended gently to the ground and set her down carefully on the ground. On Hiyori's face is her usual Hollow, now much smoother, and black snake scales adorn it. In a swift, the mask disappears, revealing an unconscious petite blonde.

"Is she-" Shinji started.

"She's fine, she managed to accept herself at the last minute. Let her rest for a while," Ichigo let Hachi take care of Hiyori and realized many eyes were directed at her. Ah...I guess that was quite a show. She then spotted a familiar cat changeling in the crowd, "Yoruichi-san? What are you doing here?"

Yoruichi took a few seconds to snap out of her stupor, "I was...I was..." she cleared her throat, "Ichigo, can we talk outside?"

 

 

It is six o'clock in the afternoon and Ichigo is buying beer from 7-Eleven. Technically she is underage and to the clerk store defense, she looked like someone who needed a drink. She opened the cap of her Budweiser by levering it with the other bottle cap. Chugging it in front of Yoruichi who is unsure whether she should stop Ichigo from breaking the law of Japan's legal age for drinking or not.

"Want some?" Ichigo offered Yoruichi a new unopened beer.

"... No..."

"Welp, more drinks for me!" Ichigo is chugging again, "Seriously though what are you doing here?"

"Kisuke is telling me to get Orihime back, he disagrees with you about you keeping her here."

"Uh-huh."

"Kisuke wanted her to stay out of the battle this time."

"Uh-huh."

"You have to understand Ichigo, Shun Shun Rikka doesn't have enough offensive ability, to begin with. Not to mention Orihime's attitude toward violence, even as a healer, she's unsuited to participate in a war."

"..." Ichigo saw a bird fly passed by, "Uh-huh."

A vein appeared on Yoruichi's head and grabbed Ichigo by the collar, "Uh-huh! Uh-huh! Is that what you're going to say for the rest of the day?!"

"Might as well be." Ichigo is unbothered by the rough treatment and keeps drinking.

"Ugh, I'm surrounded by idiots!" Yoruichi threw her hands in the air out of frustration.

"Not idiots. Egomaniac is much more like it," Ichigo took out her cell phone and dialed Kisuke's number, she waited until she heard 'Hello' from the other end, "Tell me, where do you plan to hide Orihime? Is there a corner in this world that you can guarantee secret enough to keep her away?"

"What the- Did you just call Kisuke?"

"It's not about participating. Whether we want it or not, we are already in it. With the war looming over, our obituary is already dictated. You might try to reason with me, am I arguing based on my emotion? Do I want her to get killed? More like do I want to get my human friends killed. That doesn't matter anymore... because we're all going to die anyway."

Yoruichi is stunned by it.

"That's why I fight, that's why we fight. I'm listening if you have any new reason to argue with me." Ichigo heard no reply from the other end, "Kisuke Urahara, you can curb your guilt around this one fact. If my friends die, it'll be on me, not you." With that, she ends the line.

"Ichigo..."

"I told you, Yoruichi-san. You're not surrounded by idiots. You're surrounded by egomaniacs."

 

At Urahara Store, Kisuke slowly put down the phone in its place and exhaled, releasing every inch of tiredness closing in him.

"Tenchō?" Tessai inquired.

"Three. There are three people playing this game." 

 

Notes:

Ichigo, after hearing the description of something/someone that is unkillable; immediately lists every weapon and method she knew that could kill those unkillable shits.
Wouldn't it be so convenient if Ichigo has Excalibur, am I right?

About Ichigo's word 'Demanded to win' is the haunting promise from Patxi, a Yaga of the Russian Lostbelt, he demanded so no one in his world can suffer anymore, implicating that he's fine for his world to disappear as long as he and his kind won't suffer the never-ending despair. All he wanted was a world that is like Ichigo's (or in the context of FGO, Ritsuka's homeworld), where the people free to choose their path.

Kubikiri Orochi is genderless. Pronounced they/them.

From Old Irish bringlóid, brinnglóid, from brinn (“vision, dream, revelation”).
Technically, what Ichigo did is her 'Bankai' was released and used in a matter of five seconds to push back Kubikiri Orochi into Hiyori, and by the power of fanon theory of 'fake Bankai'; she shifted into a dragon is a fake Bankai (false Bankai).

Aizen: Carefree hard decisions.
Kisuke: Depressed hard decisions.
Ichigo: Tom Cruise-way hard decisions!

Chapter 36: Our Compromise

Summary:

You knew from the first that there was only one way this could end.

He is a fool, but he is our little fool. The little boy who wanted to make this cruel, twisted world a better place, futile as that is. He's going to get us killed one of these days...but what can I say? I love him. I forgive him. And you...

Try again.

Notes:

The chapter summary, remember it folks, this will be important.
I gave you this puzzle: Who's the little boy?
No, it's not Fray Myste.
Try again.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

What will you do when Ichigo Kurosaki got a call from Kisuke Urahara dead in the morning when she was cooking omelets only to find it turns into a heated argument? The answer is no. Do not do anything. Not when Ichigo started to lose patience for the man on the other side. Maybe it is a mistake on her part to stand her ground, defending her decision to keep Orihime at the Visored's place to monitor her study. The mistake was that she is crazy enough to exchange banter with Kisuke Urahara, noted to be the genius who seems to have the solution to every problem inside his pocket.

The Visored fixed that one statement, Kisuke Urahara is not a man who seems to have the solution to every problem inside his pocket. As a strategist against Aizen, the bucket-hatted man can pull off a thousand suggestions and possibilities. Yet, he seems to have a hard time convincing Ichigo to back down.

They agree on one thing though; Kisuke Urahara has never been this anxious ever seen a hundred years ago of them being Hollowfied. 

Everybody winced when Ichigo slammed the pan on top of the stove and get out of the kitchen to carry her anger elsewhere. To be fair, she has not used any curse word that yesterday was sprayed to indicate her distaste for Aizen, her spat with Kisuke is almost eloquent; calling the man with every synonymous word of stubborn, rude, wayward, unruly, and so on, yet nothing biting enough to insult one pride, origin, or birth.

The Visored peeks at the fuming redhead from the kitchen.

"You..."

Oh dear, that sounds like the ticking when a bomb is about to explode.

"Egotistical..."

("Oh my God, she said testicle." "Real mature, Mashiro.")

"Obnoxious! Pretentious!"

("I agree." Hiyori nodded.)

"Pompous! Self-centered! Untrustworthy!"

("Ooooh, hit too close to home, right there.")

"UNGRATEFUL! IMPOSSIBLE! INSUFFERABLE!"

Ichigo ended the call, gripping her cell phone in her fist, seemingly about to smash her phone to the ground. She retracted, and let out a huge big breath before pocketing her only communication device. Honestly, Kisuke should not call someone at six in the morning when people have not received their intake breakfast. 

The Visored scrambled back to their seat when Ichigo stomped to the kitchen; eating her omelet in three bites, grabbing a piece of toast, staring dead at Rose's wine collection, and seething. Is she considering getting drunk in the morning with wine?

"Too early, too early, too early." She said, repeated like a mantra, and she is gone.

Hachi said Ichigo went out way past the barrier. Shinji grimaced, he probably do the same thing if he was the annoyed one. He then dialed the Urahara Shop's number, Tessai is the one who answered it, naturally, he asked the man to hand over the phone to Kisuke. He got a tired 'hello' from the shop's owner, "Oi, ya' screw up. Big time. And what's with ya calling in the early morning? Can't ya wait until the rest of the world woke up?"

: "I thought I was going to have a civil conversation... I miscalculated Kurosaki-san's temper.": 

Miscalculated? Shinji's jaw dropped, "Don't put math on a woman's temper! Did growing up with Yoruichi teach ya' nothing?!" He can feel Kisuke pouting at the other end, "Whatever, but ya' better offer a peace offering if ya' want to talk with Ichigo face to face."

: "Peace offering?.": 

"Oh, fer' Fuck sake, it's called gift Kisuke. Don't blame me if she decides to lob a chair at ya'." Shinji ended the call.

"You know what they remind me of?" Lisa chirped.

"No, don't go there," Shinji warned.

"It's like that one scene from a drama when the wife got angry at her husband over the phone!"

"Ha! Kisuke? Tangled in romance? As if!" Hiyori chortled, "I think it's more like a custody battle over their daughter!"

Now they've done it. Shinji's rubbed his face, He just hope that this would not be a usual occurrence.

 


 

Orihime is on her way to Naruki City where the Visored hideout is located. Yesterday, Ichigo told her to come back home so she can pick up some spare clothes and come back the next day. She left the apartment key to Rangiku and Tōshirō. She spotted Kisuke loitering in front of a flower shop, staring at an array of flowers as if they are some sort of uncrackable code.

"Urahara-san, what are you doing here?"

"Hello, Inoue-san," Kisuke's attention is still on the flowers, "Say, what do you think are the best goods for a peace offering?"

A what- Orihime blinked, "A peace offering?"

She genuinely thought the shopkeeper would attempt to stop her from going, but she had never Urahara-san looked so troubled before. He does not seem to be the type to be in the trouble, considering the man had often helped her friends, he is more of a problem solver.

"Do you know what Kurosaki-san likes?" Kisuke asked.

"What... Ichigo-kun likes?" Orihime is taken aback, "You had a dispute with Ichigo-kun? When?"

"This morning."

"Over me?"

"Hmm."

Orihime does not what to say; Urahara-san and Ichigo-kun's argument over her decision to be in a battle or not is that bad?! It should not be a big deal! Ichigo Kurosaki and Kisuke Urahara are one of the strongest people she knew, it became more apparent when she watched those two sparring that her eyes could not keep up. The same thing when the redhead sparred with Yoruichi too. Every time she, Chad, and Tatsuki watched them, they knew they were extremely far behind.

It was one of the many reasons why they want to get stronger.

"I don't know what Kurosaki-kun likes either. She was never picky about anything," Which is true. Not once Orihime ever heard Ichigo mention what she likes, well she did, but it was never anything particular, "I remembered she said that she likes chocolate and spicy mentaiko."

"Chocolate ad spicy mentaiko..." Kisuke trailed off, "Should I buy expensive chocolate and a lot of mentaiko?"

"Or we can bring some homecooked meals from Yuzu-chan since she hasn't come home in a while," Orihime suggested.

"Oh, that's a good idea..." And Isshin will be there... "Shall we go?"

"Sure."

 

Orihime realized how awkward it was walking side by side with Urahara when he is not in his usual cheerful vibe. He is silent, eyes staring at the road, and tense. When arriving at the Kurosaki residence Urahara seemed to be uncomfortable being there.

"Something's wrong Urahara-san?"

"I once made a promise to Ichigo's father to never get close to this house," Kisuke hummed, "When Kurosaki-san turned fifteen and met Kuchiki-san, that's when the promise didn't apply anymore." Well, supposedly fifteen until she revealed she was pretending all along. When exactly did she come back from her adventure?

"You know Ichigo's father?" Orihime perked at that.

"I am."

"Her father is a Soul Reaper?"

Kisuke dipped his head, "Yes."

"Were Ichigo-kun always a Soul Reaper?"

"No. She's human and she's still, even now, a human. Soul Reaper is not a race, is a job." Kisuke pressed the doorbell, effectively ending the conversation.

It was not Yuzu who open the door, it was Karin, the twin who has a clear view of supernatural beings. She was going to greet Orihime but stopped when she see Kisuke who she clearly not acquainted with.

On the other hand, seeing Karin's face reminded Kisuke of Kuukaku. Almost a spitting image of when the time they were children.

"Who are you?" Karin said in a cautious manner.

"Uh, Karin-chan, this is Kisuke Urahara, he helped your sister a lot," Orihime tried to lessen the tension.

"Is that so?" Karin raised one of her eyebrows, "Fine. Is there something I can help with?"

"Oh! You see, Ichigo hasn't come home in a while we were hoping to bring her some homemade food."

"I don't think you can bring the leftover stew in the fridge, that would be inconvenient," Karin said. Her eyes went to Kisuke, "You have a problem with my sister aren't you?"

Goddamit. Kisuke sighed wholeheartedly. What is with Shiba women always being able to read people's minds?

"I had an argument with Kurosaki-san, I wanted to bring a peace offering."

Karin unexpectedly cackled, "Serve you right. Alright, I'll help you. There's a quiche Yuzu made, she's trying to replicate the pastry Nee-chan brought home from Taito."

"Kurosaki-san had been out of town a lot?" 

Karin takes some consideration before answering, "Being at home stresses her a lot..." Her eyes downcast, "Wait here, I'll get you the food." 

Isshin. Kisuke mused. He is the reason why Ichigo seldom stays home, she got tired of seeing her father's goofy antics. Lately, Isshin had been venting about how Ichigo always seems to dodge his 'training' attempt, saying how they barely had a father-daughter bonding moment. Kisuke thought Isshin must have been blind as a bat for not realizing that Ichigo is tired of his father's charade. She does not trust him anymore and that is saying a lot as he is her father. Kisuke knew he cannot fully blame Isshin. The Kurosaki children's late paternal grandfather, Shogo Shiba, was the first to have the idea, and the fact the situation is repeated again, scuffling with the Quincy.

The difference is that Ichigo has a lot of choices on how to deal with it. Japan's excellent public transportation can get her anywhere far from home whenever her heart desire. Unlike Seireitei, a backwater otherworldly city in which its citizen does not exactly have a lot of choices regarding where to go.

Karin handed a Tupperware box with a few slices of quiche inside it and Orihime and Kisuke bid her farewell.

"Do you think this will be enough?" Kisuke holding the box.

Orihime has no idea how to answer that, "... I think Ichigo-kun will appreciate it."

"If you say so."

 


 

Over at Naruki City, Ichigo opened the third can of beer she bought from another 7-Eleven that was far from the Visored hideout. Then she senses it; the trance she saw in the air, the wail she heard, the needle stab she felt, the rancid taste, and the foul smell.  Finally, the tremendous spiritual pressure made the upper eyelid of her left eye twitch.

Ichigo dank her beer in one shot, "Kon, take care of my body, will you." 

"I always do."

Ichigo soared into the sky, "So much life... So little time."

 


 

Tōshirō, Rangiku, Ikkaku, and Yumichika see the sky open its jaw to reveal four Arrancar; two of them were previously encountered by Ichigo, Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez, and Yammy Llargo. The other two are new faces.

"A-Arrancar?! There's no way. Isn't it too soon!" Yumichika stammered.

"It is too soon. Looks like we don't have the time to figure out the reason," Tōshirō calmly said, though there is a wave of hidden anger behind it.

 

"Oh! We came out in a pretty nice place didn't we!" Yammy grinned in malice, "Those guys have some pretty high reiatsu. This should be a good place to start!"

"What are you talking about? Those are the reinforcement from Soul Society that Number 6 talked about." Said a male Arrancar with youthful, but effeminate, features. He possesses short, curly though unevenly cut black hair and lavender eyes, "Oh, I'm sorry, I mean former Number 6." He mocked when turned to Grimmjow.

"Tch, the bitch I want to kill isn't in that group." The light-blue-haired former Espada dashed away.

"Hey! Wait up, Grimmjow!" Yammy shouted, "That asshole!"

"Ignore him, after all, he's a fallen Espada. it's not like he can do anything."

Yammy clicked his tongue, "The person I want to kill isn't in that group either."

"Which one? The one who throws a spear at you and cuts both of your hands, the one who beat you up, or the one who repelled your Cero?" Asked the feminine-looking Arrancar.

"All of 'em!" Yammy sadistically snigger. He turned back to signal a thin and somewhat childlike body of an Arrancar, "Let's go, new guy! Stop daydreaming!"

The childlike Arrancar stared at an open space, not paying attention whatsoever.

"Great, another freak joined up."

Yammy quickly unsheathed his sword to block Tōshirō's Zanpakutou.

"Tōshirō Hitsugaya, Captain of the Tenth Divison." Tōshirō introduces himself.

"What a coincidence! I'm a ten too! Arrancar Diez, Yammy!"

"Diez, you're an Espada?"

"You know quite a lot don't you, seems you fought someone who doesn't know how to shut up!"

 

Ikkaku and Yumichika confront the feminine-looking Arrancar.

"Are you also an Arrancar?" Yumichika

"That's right. Sexta," He scantily shows the tattoo of number six on his right hip, "Name's Luppi."

 

"I...Is it really okay to kill this guy?" Rangiku is puzzled by the little Arrancar who showed no sign of aggression. Instead, he is busy playing with a dragonfly.

 

 

Kisuke shoved the Tupperware to Orihime's hand, "Inoue-san, hold it for me! And stay here, don't go anywhere!"

"But Urahara-san-"

"Inoue-san, please. Nobody wanted you to die needlessly," Kisuke applied his cheerful face, in order to soothe Orihime, even though it is useless in a situation like this, "So be a good girl and stay right here okay~!"

 


 

When Grimmjow arrives Ichigo is already waiting, standing vigil in the sky, watching the cloud drifting.

"Hola! Senor Jaegerjaquez ¿Qué Pasa?" She greeted politely, "Oh my, what happened to your arm?"

Grimmjow not interested in the platitude; went to strike Ichigo with his still-existing hand, which the redhead blocked with the flat of her blade. Honoring their promise to resort to sword fighting, the sky soon filled with the sound of metal clashing.

"Come on! Show me your Hollow eyes trick again! I didn't tell Aizen about it so I can have it all by myself!"

Ichigo was going to make a witty comeback but then processed twice Grimmjow's words, "Gross!"

Fighting properly Grimmjow this time, Ichigo is finally able to measure his capability. He is good. Erratic, brutal, impulsive, and excessively violent personality alongside a lethally short temper. A wild animal. His cunningness and his knack to exploits any opening his opponent reveals. Ichigo even finally has to decide to yellow her eyes to match his sadistic attack. He is good, she will give that, but she was trained better. All of her mentors are all equal to a beast even without the animal motif and it takes a dozen of beasts to teach her to be one.

She can see Grimmjowis getting frustrated because he cannot even leave a scratch on her. They evenly match. And he clearly hated it.

"Are you looking down on me?! Are you seriously giving me these flimsy attacks?! Don't fuck with me, woman!"

 

"My, he's cute." Fray laughed wholeheartedly, "That's a greedy little kitten with a touch of ego right there. What, oh what we should do with him? What do you think... King?"

 

"Did you draw that conclusion on your own? If so, well done. I'm not looking down on you, I just don't want to kill you," Ichigo sheathed her sword, "I have an offer, Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez, when this is over, let's be friends!"

"Are you...fucking with me?" Grimmjow twitched with rage.

"No," Ichigo scoffed, "What? Can't accept when your enemy doesn't want to kill you? Seriously, get a life."

Or maybe it is one of those things, what did they call it? Cultural discrepancy? Habitat differentiation? Because the Arrancar came from Hueco Mundo, where their lifestyle is 'Eat or be eaten, kill or be killed. Even with the Hōgyoku, their original habit should not change dramatically. Ichigo hoped she did not pull up a racial card over here.

"Just because I discard one of my arms, doesn't mean I can't kill you!" Grimmjow formed a Cero on his hand, "Cause I won't need two hands to do it!"

 

Ichigo dipped her head to the side. What is this guy's issue? 

"Oh come on, Ichigo. You knew exactly what his problem is! Remember the feeling?" Fray lamented, "You don't need to be an Arrancar or a Soul Reaper to be able to feel it, after all this feeling is pretty liberal!"

You're unusually chipper today. Ichigo unsheathed her sword again.

"What can I say? We've served with a lot of examples of a king, Ichigo! It doesn't hurt to show this guy what a real King is!" Fray howled his dragon's voice, "With your condition, it'll be impossible for you to avoid that Cero unscathed. It's okay, go Bankai. Let's show him."

Ichigo points her sword at Grimmjow, and at the same time with that humongous beam of Cero being shot at her...

 

"Bankai." 

 

Grimmjow did not get the time to process what happen and all he can see was his blood leaking out from the odd angle of the injury courtesy of a black blade. Impossible, she cut through the Cero?!

"Still think I'm screwing with you? Oh, by the way, I don't care if you have two hands or not, I've seen plenty of people fight far better than you with one hand." Grimmjow swings his sword with such ferocity. His blade crossed with Ichigo's. He gritted his teeth and she is calm. "Prove it. If you say you can kill me with only one hand," Golden eyes glinted under the sun.

Usually, Ichigo does not like this side of her; the side that enjoyed fierce combat. She thought it is useless to have it since the Age of Man entered the twentieth century when they live in a wave of relative peace. Reality said otherwise with the existence of people like Grimmjow, who sought battle to sate his hunger, for he sought to be a King for himself. Yes... Looks like it was not useless after all, to enjoy a thrilling battle.

However, Ichigo is different. If she wins this thrilling battle, she will share it with others, for she is not a King for her own gain, "With people like you, who says being a Gladiator is outdated, am I right?" She chuckled brightly,

"SHUT UP!" Grimmjow bites back.

But Grimmjow can feel something is lacking in this fight. He throws an attack, he got a reply with equal strength. Again and again. A neverending circle with no clear winner at the end. They are both playing a game of beast stalking each other. It almost felt like instead of finishing him right off, Ichigo chooses to wait for those who tire themselves out first and see what decisive action he will take when it comes.

She does not focus on him rightfully, but he can sense as if he makes a move to target innocent lives around, she will execute him. She makes clear that the territory is her and within that territory, he will do no such things. Because if he does she will cut his other arm off!

This is different. She makes it different. In Hueco Mundo, to be a Vasto Lorde is to devour each other, stepping into their dominion, the winner will devour the loser. She has no use for such a way, what she wanted was for him to leave. 

 

Leave or I will bury you six feet under with an unmarked grave!

 

Grimmjow growled, Hueco Mundo has Aizen and the Human World has Ichigo, is that it?! He wanted to win! He has to win! So he can be there, at the top! So he brings his sword to him as it glowed blue. I'll show you. I'LL SHOW YOU. I'LL SHOW YOU!

 

Ichigo stops her action and sensed the increasing Reiatsu, it reeks of Destruction. Really? At the bleak of the day? This guy is just full of it. Her foot stand firm as she drags her left foot backward, sword drawn back-

 

Someone shot a Cero at Grimmjow from behind.

 

"Oi, oi. Arrancar, yer' Reiatsu lowers the IQ of the whole neighborhood." Shinji drawled.

Shin- "Hirako!" Ichigo then see the clothes he wore; a grey coat, white loafer, a black undershirt, and a tie complete with the pin. Did he dress up before coming out for a fight?

Shinji looked at Ichigo's Bankai and wondered why he was mostly safe around it, which is unusual for Soul Reaper's track record of having Bankai, "What's yer' Bankai do?"

"Hmm? Oh, well...It makes me really good at beating the shit out of people."

"But yer already good at that."

"Ten times over far more effective." Ichigo gave a thumbs up.

Shinji is not convinced, "... Okay."

 

"YOU BASTARD! I'LL KILL YOU!" Grimmjow lunged at Shinji. In a second spotting, the Visore donned his eye in yellow. Him too?!

"Quite the Hot-Head, eh," Shinji pulled Sakanade and crossed it with his adversary.

"You- You're one of her allies?!"

"Doesn't matter, ya' cocky shit." Shinji pushed the Arrancar far enough and charges a Cero, "Sorry, Arrancar you look strong, so can't take it easy on ya'."

 

"Two cats!" Fray cheered, then pouts when Ichigo mentally scold him.

Ichigo then turned her head afar to the horizon. This Reiatsu; Anguish is a stench of blood in the sea. How familiar. Her eyes widened in realization, it is Ulquiorra. Strange, why would she be able to sense him now?

Something is wrong...

Like fallen snow...

Rukia?!

 

"Well done, ya' mitigate the damage by hitting my Cero with yer own," Shinji congratulated.

Grimmjow dripping blood from his face, "Fuck you!" Blood spats out from his mouth, "GRIND-"

Ulquiorra grabbed Grimmjow's hand, stooping whatever the light-blunette Arrancar going to do.

"Mission accomplished. Let's go."

Grimmjow snarled in disdain.

A Negación enveloped the two to take them away.

 

Shinji scoffed. He sheathed Sakanade, "Aizen and his sense of humor. Oi Ichigo-" The girl he is looking for is nowhere to be seen. He follows the trace of her Reiatsu and found her on a road encased in ice, Orihime's crying while trying to heal a petite black-haired Soul Reaper who seems to lost half of her body.

"Ichigo-kun! I'm sorry! Rukia's wound doesn't seem able to close-"

"Stop crying, wipe your face, and focus." Ichigo snapped. Her voice's stern, "Now follow my lead. Wider the range of your healing, two times than this size. You need to sanitize this whole area. Understand? Reject the germs in this area, Orihime, do you understand me?"

Orihime wipes her tears and snot, then nods and wider the expanse of her orange shield.

"Good, I'm going to stabilize her," Ichigo opens a subspace dimension and pulls out her Noulith, "Hirako-san, get Hachi-san over here!"

Shinji does not why he moves his feet as obeying Ichigo's order. It is from an experience, Hell hath no fury from a scary doctor.

 

It is certainly something to witness when Ichigo barks order in doing supernatural surgery. Kisuke arrived not long after Shinji came back with Hachi and he too get roped in it. A wound is so difficult to regenerate even for someone with a natural ability to heal with the severity Rukia had usually is a lost cause in the Fourth Division. A foreign Reiatsu; in this case, an Arrancar Reiatsu, mixed within an injury is something that has to be aided by ambient energy surrounding the patients, it is called 'waiting until the effect subsides. Ichigo choose to 'Screw waiting, we got to do it now!

The key is to throw the Arrancar's Reiatsu immediately from Rukia. The space created by Orihime, not only disinfects the germ but also generates a faster cycle for ambient energy, Hachi's ability is not really healing but he is good at Kidou and it was not healing Ichigo needed him for, she wanted him to create a 'pipeway' to throw away the foreign Reiatsu, while she and Kisuke's healing technique finally able to generates Rukia's flesh.

The process takes two hours. That is two weeks' worth of recovery and four people manage to shorten in a day, still, Rukia needs to replenish her blood loss. That is why she does not immediately awake even though her gaping wound is no more.

That gave Hachi and Shinji time to get away before the other Soul Reaper from Soul Society found out about them, Ichigo and Orihime go with them, while Kisuke came back to the Shop bringing Rukia and pretending like he was not mingling with some exiles a couple of minutes ago. 

"Why is Kurosaki-san so unpredictable..." Kisuke sighed dejectedly.

 


 

They arrived at the Visored hideout, and before stepping inside, Orihime handed over the Tupperware Kisuke shoved to her, which he originally wanted to give to Ichigo.

"Quiche?" Ichigo opened the Tupperware.

"Yuzu-chan made it. Actually, Urahara-san was the one who wants to give it to you. He said it was a peace offering."

"Peace offering? How very specific. Who gave him the idea to call it a peace offering?"

Unbeknownst to the two, Shinji secretly skittered away from them. 

And using Orihime as a shield? To think that man can be so silly. Ichigo shakes her head in amusement, "Thank you, next time maybe you should tell him that he better do it himself."

"Well, I was on the way here, then I saw Urahara-san in front of a flower shop."

To Orihime's surprise, Ichigo suddenly laughed.

"Flower shop? That's-" Ichigo laughed again, "So uncharacteristic of him!" And laughed again.

 

Orihime never saw Ichigo laughing with ease like that. She was never able to make Ichigo laugh, every time she tried, Ichigo always gave a small laugh or a smile. Ah... So this is what jealousy felt like.

 

"Ichigo-kun, I'm sorry...about you and Hachi-san decided to mentor me, I don't think we have the time for that."

When Ichigo stopped laughing, Orihime expected an outrage. However, she was given a warm smile and a simple answer.

"I know."

"Y-You know?"

"There's this ability I have; the ability to perceive my surrounding in a completely different meaning. When the Arrancar arrives at Karakura, it wasn't their Reiatsu I felt first, what I felt was the dimension tearing; the door they used to was a trance in the air, the wail I heard, the needle I felt, the rancid taste, and the foul smell. Ulquiorra, he's 'Anguish is a stench of blood in the sea', when Rukia was attacked, she's a 'Fallen snow, and you, your distress, is a 'Plucked daisy. Simply by this interaction, I deduct there was an exchange between you and Ulquiorra, and it ends up with you wearing this bangle," Ichigo lifted Orihime's hand where the bangle is worn, "This bangle had a lingering streak of illusion, not the actual illusion of course, but rather a watermark that it was made by Aizen. The bangle is a tracking device too. That's why you stopped me from going inside the Visored warehouse," Ichigo let go of Orihime's hand, "Orihime, how much time do you got?"

"Twelve hours," Orihime can feel her eyes becoming wet again.

"I see. Sorry if Urahara-san and I seem to push you around. We have a different view regarding you; Urahara doesn't want you to fall into Aizen's hand, because he knew Aizen wanted your powers. He wasn't underestimating your abilities, if only he can be more honest with you. Me? I too know Aizen wanted your power, he must've been impressed when you reconstruct back Tatsuki's leg, and I'm a selfish person if I wanted to protect you all the time without you doing anything, that's why I wanted you able to improve with Hachi-san as your instructor. But it's also because I know you're done hiding."

Orihime sobbed and crowed, "How did you know?" How did you always know?

"Orihime, someone with a fighting resolve like yours will never hide even when other people told them to. I know because I was once in your spot. I was rendered not to be the one that lay hands on my adversary but to be a support. And it took me a while to realize that it's fine to be one as long as I have my resolve. Anybody who has this resolve will never stay out of the battle; no matter what forms the battle takes."

"Is that why you're so strong? Simply because of your resolve?"

"No, Orihime, I am strong, but not without sacrifice," Ichigo wiped the tears of her friend using the sleeve of her kosode, "To gain knowledge, there is a cost. To gain power, there is a cost. Even when we use our power to protect someone, there is always a cost, and we have to be prepared for that cost. That's the most important thing, not the victory in battle."

Ichigo is amazing. She has all the answers Orihime needs, that is why she craves to be like her. That is why she is falling for her. Ichigo is the only person who made her realize even with all the experience she has until now, she is still green to the world. She felt disappointed and tired when the others kept trying to comfort and reassure her about her place in the world is not regretful, or that her being anything less than who she is was not a burden to them. All she wanted was the hard truth about life and Ichigo is the only one who dare to do that, regardless it would hurt her feelings or not.

Orihime gripped the edge of her skirt, "All I wanted was to help each other out, protecting each other world, forever, with no war ever breaking out."

"Conflict is the reason why we and Soul Society help each other world in the first place."

"I know and I feel so stupid for wanting to ignore that!" Orihime broke into heavy crying, "This day you told me to stop crying and focus on helping Rukia. I realized why Urahara-san and Yoruichi-san wanted me out of the battle, I was way too emotional! Then you instructed me, Hachi-san, and Urahara-san; I realized that I wanted to be able to do that! I don't want to go, I want to stay and learn! I kept thinking about the paper you gave me. I filled it up, I wrote I wanted to be a school teacher, an astronaut, open a cake shop, go to a donut shop and say 'give me everything!', go to an ice cream parlor and say 'give me everything!'. I understand now why you're so hard on us, why choose to fight like this when there's so much stuff ahead of us?"  "

Ichigo does not answer. All she does is stroke Orihime's back and let her cry on her shoulder. She can hear thunder and lightning from the sky and water starting to flick on her head. All the tears effectively washed away with the heavy downpour.

"Ichigo-kun, I'm sorry, but I have to go. For once let me do the sacrifice. I don't know if my power can truly achieve Aizen's goal or not, I just don't want my friends to die before they're able to fight."

Ichigo did not say 'yes' or 'no', nor 'okay' or 'don't go'. Saying it or not; she had made the hardest decision ever since she came back. How could she do this? letting her friend go into the enemy's hand?! But she knew she cannot change Orihime's mind.

"Promise me, you choose your battle wisely. Don't be a scatterbrain and fight them all at once. It's okay to wait. We'll find you."

"I promise," Orihime said firmly.

"Orihime..." Ichigo choked on nothing, "I'm so proud of you."

 

"Thank you, Ichigo-kun. Goodbye."

 


 

One day nearing the end of summer break, Orihime who is laying on the ground of Urahara Shop's training ground, resting from her training, went to ask Ichigo.

"Hey, Ichigo-kun, do you think it's possible if you to have five lives and fall in love with the same person five times?"

"Only five?" Ichigo flipped the page of the novel she read, "I'd say it's possible."

"Even if that person doesn't love you back?"

"Love comes in many different ways; kinship, family, friendship, and passion. So what kind of love do you expect from this person who doesn't love you back?"

Honestly, Orihime has no idea. She never thought about it that deeply.

Ichigo gave a light chuckle at the apparent confusion.

"Maybe they do love you back, just not in the way you thought. But do they love you enough to let you go?"

 


 

Orihime is already gone. Ichigo standing alone in the rain. Shinji appeared from the Visored's hideout entryway, umbrella in his hand to protect himself from the rain; waiting on whatever the drenched redhead is going to act.

Ichigo lifted her palm to feel the water falling from the sky. She used to hate the rain because it reflect her sadness and regret. Thanks to her adventure, rain signifies a lot of meaning; It started with numerous questions;

Does the blood on Earth clear when the sky cries? Pain.

Do light and darkness fade in this heavy downpour? Despair.

Is true that each drop is a blessing from Heaven? Hope.

Hope. There is some positivity from this God-amount of water after all. 

Ichigo tapped Shinji on the shoulder, "Thanks for interrupting my fight with Grimmjow, you made me not show all of my trump cards."

"Yer' welcome," The blonde huffed, "So yer' Bankai is really dangerous."

"Bankai is a Soul Reaper's term, but rather than you get more confused, go ahead and call it Bankai," As if on cue Kon- in Ichigo's body, walked out next with an umbrella too. The owner assimilate herself with her body, Kon perched himself around his master's neck, "It's time for me to go back. Don't forget to tell the others to continue the practice." Ichigo saluted away.

"Go fix yer' problem with Kisuke!" Shinji shouted.

"I will..." Ichigo smiled, "See ya' next time, Shinji!"

Aside from noticing Ichigo finally calling him by his first name, there are a whole other lot of things he noticed; the smile is strained as if she is trying to lie to herself; her other hand that is not holding an umbrella is balled into a fist so tight, her nails caved into her flesh, resulting a trail of blood when she walked away; and her subtle Reiatsu, she is trying so hard to reign in it but Shinji still can feel it is whipping the rain, like a tail of a predatory creature.

Yet she trusted him enough to know about her 'abnormal-sixth-sense ability. Shinji does not need to be warned upon realizing Ichigo knew he was eavesdropping and, to be honest, he is not sure what to do with said information.

Ichigo was not angry.

She is in Rage.

 

 

Ichigo did not go back home straight away. Oh, wait. Home? Bah! She was going to take turns at Urahara Shop. If she went home in this state she might actually kill her father. Instead, she went to a nearby internet cafe that she remembered Keigo often visits to play online games. It is only for a while. To check fack-check something that had been prickling in her mind.

She typed into the search engine 'Cú Chulainn's son and opened one of the many articles Google served to her.

 

Connla or Conlaoch is a character in the Ulster Cycle in Irish Mythology, the son of the Ulster champion Cú Chulainn and the Scottish warrior woman Aífe. He was raised alone by his mother in Scotland. He appears in the story Aided Óenfhir Aífe (The Tragic Death of Aífe's Only Son), a pre-tale to the great epic Táin Bó Cúailnge...

 

She scrolls down as she read it whole.

 

... He asks Connla to identify himself, warning him that he will die if he does not, but Connla refuses. They wrestle in the water, with Connla gaining the upper hand, until Cú Chulainn resorts to the Gáe Bolg, a weapon whose use Scáthach taught only to him, and Connla is fatally wounded...

 

"Thy wrestle in water until Cú resort to use the spear..." Ichigo remembered what Ulquiorra felt and smell like; Anguish is a stench of blood in the sea. She tapped her finger in consideration.

 

 

A few minutes later Ichigo gets out of the internet cafe and went straight to Urahara Shop. Tessai let her in and told her to give them the quiche as he will prepare some tea with it. Ah, Tessai, he never change. She mused fondly.

Down in the training ground, Ichigo sees each of the Soul Society's missives either wounded or had a lot on their mind. She spots Kisuke standing at the highest point in the facility, he too had a lot on his mind. 

Ichigo approached him and of course, with that assassin's ears of him, Kisuke noticed her. He puts his guard up, nothing threatening, just a small tension.

"Hi, Urahara-san."

"... Hi?"

"Wanna hear a joke?"

.

.

.

"…………..?"

 

Notes:

Ichigo gave up promising herself not to drink for the second time and then drink anyway!

Spoiler: Kazui's birth is technically canon until it didn't and his 'non-existent' is part of 'untold bloodshed'. What's that bloodshed? Haha I've been playing FF: Stranger of Paradise, man resetting the timeline is suck!
No, the little boy in the puzzle is not Kazui. Try again.

If you say ‘wait Orihime totally can heal Rukia without Ichigo doing that mumbo-jumbo surgery! Technically she could but…it’ll be explained in the next chapter.

Chapter 37: A Still Tide

Summary:

Ichigo: I don't get why people always yell at me 'Are you trying to get yourself killed?!' when I'm confident about not going to die. Then again, what will you do when I answer 'Yes'?
Everyone: Ichigo, can you please...just....relax?
Ichigo: Impossible. Outrageous. Inconceivable. I thought you knew me. How dare you.

Notes:

The new Bleach anime felt like it was directed by Micheal Bay, I think that's why Kisuke is such a Megan Fox-esque with the new animation.

(Sigh) Again I rewrote this chapter way too many times.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Kisuke's eyes darted to the right and left, not because he was looking for an escape, but instead thinking that Ichigo was actually talking to someone else. The way she expresses the sentence is so informal that he almost thought Shinji or Hiyori is beside him or something. It raises some alarm in his brain because she has never been informal with him. To Kisuke, the way Ichigo talked to him is like forced politeness, he is not sure whether she did it on purpose or not, but he knew the redhead does not enjoy it.

He knew it is a 'code' though since there are other people around and Ichigo is not exactly in the mood to drop the bomb.

"What's the joke?" Kisuke responded.

"The fairies have departed."

Fairies... Ah, Inoue-san left...

"I see... Perhaps we should talk in a more private location?" Kisuke saw Ichigo's bleeding palm, "And have your hand to be treated?"

Ichigo lifted her right hand to stare at the drying blood which also painted the edges of her nails. Her eyes went to the bucket-hatted man, blank and challenging as if saying 'you think this is hurt'. She should not be this rude to him but her emotion is not quite in the right place.

"It'll heal by itself. My recovery capabilities surpass normal humans." Ichigo then walks off and heads to the stairs leading to the shop. She ignored the looks of her friends (questions written on their faces) and the Soul Reapers; if they call out her name, she does not hear it.

 

Ichigo washed the dried blood off her right hand. The flesh already mends by itself. No scar. Her enhanced healing is not because she has a Hollow Reiatsu within her, that would be far too convenient. The explanation lies in human evolution; knowing what she is and meeting her extended family member made her far more understanding rather than the speculation and test done by Da Vinci. She was not a normal human, to begin with, a normal Quincy, or even a normal Soul Reaper. Even if she fell to become a mindless beast, she would not be a normal mindless beast either.

When Kisuke created the conversion tool for her human friends able to go to Soul Society, she knew she does not need it even if she shed her human body. She walked on two worlds with ease and no consequence. 

As Merlin once said... "I wonder if you're the early sign of the Age of the Will, where humanity will live among the stars..." He said, trailing away while endlessly stirring the tiny spoon on his cup of tea, acting like he is a born Brit from the present time instead of the medieval.

Quite a beautiful notion for a bunch of clairvoyance; aside from Merlin, there is Solomon and Gilgamesh, except Solomon did have to say anything because he sacrifice himself by removing his seat at the Throne of Heroes. A vision of the far future, for someone who lives in the presence... It is scary for her. For all Ichigo see, she is a goddamn mutant!

After drying her hands, she strides into the living room where she and her friends usually gathered around the low circle wooden tea table and have their discussion of supernatural vigilantism around their hometown.

It was not the situation she imagined after she came back from gallivanting around the past and alternate worlds and she did not understand why they looked so happy with all the battles they have down. Of course, they are happy. They are protecting people after all. Oh, to be young & free, and live with the single idea of doing good.

 

Was destroying Patxi's, Gerda's, and Asha's homeworld an act good just because it lacks something? 

 

She shakes her head from the haunting memory.

Speaking of an act of good, Ichigo had been hunting dangerous Hollow alone around Karakura like a mercenary.

Alone.

The ghosts are great intel, ask which Hollow ever ate a Soul Reaper and they gladly pointed it out, with an exchange for not sending them to the afterlife yet. Was agreeing to the ghost's request not to be sent off yet a wise choice? Depends on their chains. Telling those whose chains were almost gone if they did not want to be sent away they turned into a Hollow seems to do the trick.

Ever since Soul Society always sent an unreliable officer for their rotation to handle her hometown, Ichigo decided to ease their chance of being eaten by eliminating the potentially huge threat. Those officers did not know about her and she did not reveal themselves to them. She had done Ukitake a favor by enabling his officer to go home. By this point, the man definitely knew she is not falling with the Substitute Soul Reaper badge trick.

Kisuke and Yoruichi did not comment on her secret activities. Isshin is a no brainer. Wonder why Rukia and Renji do not ask if should not there be a report of irregular activity at the Thirteen Division.

The reason why she does not tell her friends was that...to be honest, their clinginess kind of tiring to her; telling her to stop doing this or doing that, refraining to flash step just so they can keep up with her. She does not say it but she found a kindred spirit with Uryuu for wanting to be alone. Those Hollows she hunted down are her stress let out and she wanted them for her own psychological gain.

There must have been quite a bounty on them but she did not collect it. She cannot, not without those phones issued by Soul Society, and she does not care. Why cannot she stop killing stuff? An early sign of the Age of the Will? Ichigo thought if she is a sign of anything, then she is a sign of humanity's regression.

 

"Kurosaki-dono."

Ichigo's eyes turn to the side where Tessai is standing, "Yes?"

"You've been unresponsive for quite a while. Forgive me for intruding, but are you alright?" 

Ichigo surprised the large man by laughing out loud. The fact that Tessai is so polite despite the tension always amuses her.

"I can say with utmost honesty that I'm not alright, though it'll be much of a comfortable conversation with you, I'm afraid my game is with Urahara-san."

Tessai looked very dumbfounded, however, he still dutifully lead Ichigo to the room where she once slept for recovery after battling Byakuya. Kisuke is already waiting, sitting in Edo-style on top of a pillow, across him is an unseated pillow meant for Ichigo.

"Shall I bring you some refreshment?" Tessai asked.

"Can you reheat the quiche I brought here, Tessai-san? I'm afraid I haven't got the time to eat, the pastry shall be enough for my late dinner. Bring some for Urahara-san too."

The smile Ichigo wore is like a controlled rage in the two man's views. Tessai complied while also promising to bring some tea.

 

When Ichigo finally sits down, face to face with Kisuke once again, looking at his body language made her raise one of her eyebrows. He is rigid; not out of fear but out of the unknown variable. This is the first time she ever saw Kisuke Urahara acting like this and almost reminded her of the blonde assassin she met a long time ago; the young Kisuke that was devoid of jokes, whose head was a hundred percent mission and survival. Who went rigid when Ichigo taught him how to dance- how to waltz, to show him that there is a sliver of happiness when horror washed around them.

Whose eyes shone, like polished silver, when Ichigo's mission was finally over from said alternate Soul Society. She still remembers the longing in his voice...

 

"Will I remember you?"

 

Her answer was obvious... No. No one will remember her. That is what it is to be the last Master of Chaldea. A pioneer who will be never remembered by those people she helped or fought. If yes, she will jeopardize the timeline itself.

Yet, in spite of this mess... Ichigo stretches her hand toward Kisuke's face as if she was attempting to flick his face, instead, her forefinger flicked upward, knocking the bucket hat that is his special features, revealing a pair of startling grey eyes, not quite polished silver anymore, not this time... I prefer you not to hide your eyes, Kisuke. She let out a disappointed sigh. He was so cute back then too...

"Is... Is there something wrong with my face, Kurosaki-san?" Kisuke asked tentatively.

Yeah, age is a mystery. Ichigo let out a snort, "Don't worry, it's nothing you can prove."

Ichigo was sure if a question mark can manifest out of Kisuke's brain, it would be as huge as the room they resided in can suffice. Tessai finally came back with the food and beverage. She is starving so she ate her share with a controlled speed, while Kisuke does not really have an appetite, and leaves a half portion on the plate. With her stomach filled, Ichigo is not as starving as before, therefore she would not be an emotional nuclear bomb. She tapped her tea cup and arranged her words before it is being uttered. Ugh, tea is boring. She wanted a beer.

"You know... Orihime is perfectly capable of healing Rukia by herself."

Kisuke hummed, "Having the power of rejuvenation doesn't mean one can handle the situation."

"Let it slide, she's still a kid." Ichigo mirrored his hums, "... And she won't be anymore, after this. I supposed you can be glad about that one, what's the hurt of having one more person...that's like me."

Kisuke cannot help but to grimace at the implication; what's the hurt of having one more person...that's a child soldier like me. Since Ichigo indicates in her time travel story that she was fifteen, her training with Scáthach made her to very high-functioning warrior, to his understanding: Ichigo's latent ability and one very good teacher are a dangerous combination.

"Did Scáthach teach you back alley surgery too?"

With that Ichigo smirked, "No, I was telling a half-truth. I have different teachers for my medical degree."

Because what Ichigo did to Rukia was no simple surgery and it is far from being compared to human surgery, it is more of a ritual. While it sounds complete nonsense why would a surgery can be qualified as a ritual, for those who practice spell crafting, it is a norm for them. Tying the effect of Orihime's ability, Hachi's Kidō, and Kisuke Kidō is no easy feat in the art of weaving spellcraft. Usually, every Kidō performer has to be in an agreement when their spell is literally being spun into a spindle. Kisuke and Hachi agreed and understand the means. Orihime, however, does not even know that her ability is being tied without permission nor does she understand what it is about. Normally, people will start pointing at Ichigo for crossing the line, but Kisuke and Hachi know that no one got the time for that as the process itself is as draining as three to five hours of surgery. No time to bring it to the Thaumaturgy Court.  

Ichigo cursed her forgetfulness for not teaching the fairy-wielding girl spellcraft etiquette, not in the short time everyone had. With the war looming on the horizon, everyone had their hands full. Chad, Tatsuki, and Orihime (and Uryuu) liked to think they are not naive, but they are incredibly naive. It is not the 'battle to harden oneself' but more in the basic knowledge. It does not matter what inborn you have when you are blind to the simple stuff.

After all, Soul Reapers went to Shin'ō Academy for a reason or in Ichigo's case, being socked in the face with magecraft knowledge.

Orihime's healing ability may be exceptional, but she is no professional. Some say learning basic knowledge is needed so you did not get taken advantage of by the professional. Ichigo wondered how the girl had been doing the 'detoxification' without knowing what it is to anyone else and she cannot help but think it is her fault. When Orihime lost her bearing when handling Rukia, panicked at why she cannot seem to be able to heal her, it is because the 'ability' is confused which is to be 'fixed' first. Detoxing the foreign Reiatsu? The blood? The missing organs?

Supported by the way of thinking of 'it was fine with the way I do', then getting stuck midway with 'why it didn't work now?!'. In the medical fieldwork, Orihime will be slapped by her superiors. She might not know this, her fairies companion is not a mentor, and cannot give detailed instructions on what to do. They are an extension of herself and as Ichigo observed, they are as airhead as their master.

"Look at me, being taught by the most extraordinary teachers, and yet I became the worst teacher ever," Ichigo clicked her tongue, "How is it that a bunch of dumb teenagers, supposed to teach themselves, the other dumb teenagers they knew?"

"You did say to Hirako-san, teaching the Visored will be your first teaching resume. Also just because you're friends with these 'dumb teenagers', doesn't mean you're a good teacher to them since you're their friend first."

"Who am I kidding calling them dumb, we're all dumb. If we're smart we won't be in this mess in the first place." Ichigo snorted, then looked at the man across her straight in the eyes, "I mean, if the ancestors of the Five Great Nobles didn't commit the so-called Original Sin, then none of these shits will happen."

"... What?" Kisuke blinked.

"What?" Ichigo mimicked amicably, sighing, "What are we talking about? Adam eating the Forbidden Fruit; Abel and Cain, or was it the Titanomachy? Is the Tower of Babel even a thing?! I don't know, Urahara-san, you tell me! How is it that you Soul Reapers set up their Samsara by butchering a corpse, spreading the parts around the world, and apparently the Quincy is pissed by that because the Soul Reapers control everything? I don't even know how that makes sense."

Kisuke is gawking. He does not gawk. Not normally. A lot of things are whirling in his brain; How does Kurosaki-san know about the Soul King? How does she know about the Original Sin committed by the ancestors of the Five Great Noble Families? 

"You can't fool me that it was about Zeus butchered Kronos into pieces with a scythe since they were robots and they are their own people." 

"Ha?" Kisuke felt his jaw moving even downward at that statement. 

"Oh, I know! Maybe the Soul King was a robot too."

"Stop!" Kisuke almost shrieked, "It was not a robot!"

"Are you sure, despite the Buddhism theme around, it's almost like Soul Society has its own cosmology and it's weird..." 

As fuck!... Is left unsaid.

 

The Age of Gods ended about two thousand years ago. What is a single God doing up there, existing physically instead of retreating to the Reverse Side of The World, using a metaphorical yarn to hold the three worlds together? Three Realms... Since when does the World of The Living need a flimsy God like the Soul King to hold the integrity of the planet? What trait does he actually possess that he inherited from Mother Earth? Mayhaps he is an Outer God...?

Dwelling over so claimed Realm of the Dead dubbed Soul Society, how does he get deserve to take over every death deity duty? Ereshkigal, Hades, or Izanami gave consent? Ichigo doubts it. Forget deserving, how dare he? 

How is he still here when Gilgamesh calls bullshit on Gods and sides with humanity? Ichigo is all that 'Holy Fuck!' if the Soul King sidestepped Ea out of the way.

Except Gilgamesh literally rolled on the floor, holding his sides tenderly as infectious laughter wracked his body ("One of the many times you might as well gave me the run of my wealth, Mongrel!"), while Enkidu only chuckled because he has the patience to that of a Saint then said that it was the funniest shit she ever told. She was more surprised when Enkidu said shit at other things aside from Ishtar.

Then once upon a time, after coming back from Alternate Soul Society, Ichigo brainstorms the heck out of it: Counter Force Gaia and Alaya, two sides of constant opposition; recorded by time, constant change and movement of the planet, and humans' action throughout history. The latter was an apparent reason how the World can move forward to the future; for all decisions, prophecy, revolution, and evolution, all handed down to humanity. So why does Soul Society have the nerve to say that the Soul King is necessary? Besides, if Gaia and Alaya deemed the Soul King unnecessary, the two can simply erase him. They have the power. They are beyond Gods. They are faceless entities.

After coming back from the Atlantic Lostbelt, that is where her view of God(s) became a bit...skewed. The Olympians were sentient spaceships? The World had never gone insane... They were always insane! She thought maybe the Soul King was a lesser spaceship unit that was forgotten and missed the Sefar tragedy…— No. No! Too far! Stop your nonsense brain!

... You know what, there is someone else who does not go to the Reverse Side of The World? The Dragon of Albion. What happened to it? Its corpse became the foundation of Clock Tower.

Maybe, it was never about the Three Realms (What is this? The freaking Traum?), it is only about Soul Society, The Soul King did not create Soul Society, Soul Society crates the Soul King, and hypocrisy speaks for itself. One cannot create a Utopia without a foundation. A magical foundation no less.

... Everywhere else people talk about the public good but pay attention to their own private interests. In Utopia, where there is no private property, everyone is seriously concerned with pursuing the public welfare...

Utopia, by Sir Thomas Moore.

By the love of God, Ichigo loved that book. It just pointed out every fault that Soul Society has as a society. 

 

"Urahara-san, do you...actually...know who and what exactly the Soul King is?" Ichigo asked.

Kisuke asked himself every day. Despite once ever seeing the higher Being, does he know what exactly it is? As his name indicates, it may be once been a normal Soul, and yet sometimes... He has his doubt...

"How do you know about all of this...?"

"After confirming who and what exactly I am. My teachers took the liberty to tell me about this side history of another world in case I run into them when I came back. They always have this look of foreboding on their face when telling me about it, which confirmed when I returned, I have a direct connection to this mess. My mother's a Quincy and my father's a Soul Reaper. Vexing." Ichigo had a lot of time to mull over which is why she is so flippant, "Remember my story about Tuatha Dé with Hirako-san? Legacies go two ways, not just on mankind's side but the world's too. This brings me to Aizen; A man who can't accept that God is nothing but a doll who couldn't move or speaks, and so you and Aizen came up with the idea for creating the Hōgyoku. So it can be a replacement for a literal abundance of energy source that is a corpse."

Spare Ichigo's sanity, if Kisuke and Aizen's brilliant minds came up with the idea to reverse engineer a WISH. Come on! Those two are like two sides of the same coin, their brightest brain moment is stupidly identical!

"... You said you and Aizen." 

"Am I wrong though?" Ichigo challenged. Implicating Kisuke Urahara was once, too, dissatisfied with the Soul King.

Kisuke tried to think. Was he meant to create to replace the Soul King with the Hōgyoku, not because of his wild curiosities? There must be a reason why he came up with the idea. Was he simply just curious or at that time when he was young, seeing the unmoving body of the Soul King; eyes with four irises, unblinking; was he... Did he... felt pity toward it? Not because he wanted to know if the limit of every living being can be surpassed... It was a pity.

A pity at the supposed King who governs Soul...

No. Not just a pity. Like Aizen, he has doubts about the Soul King's sovereignty. He saw the God before him and sensed, within him, a disappointment. And the ego selfish within all mankind whispered... I can be him.

With this, many raced their chance, leaving him and Aizen as the standing contender. Kisuke lifted his head to meet Ichigo's eyes. A stony face, arms crossed, as if she can read the running thoughts in his head.

"You think you're trying to invent an object that's able to break boundaries," Ichigo picked up her teacup, resting it on her other hand, "You're not wrong. Any solidified mass of pure energy has the potential to grant our fantasy, to grant a wish. There have been many claims of its existence, seventy hundred and twenty-six were investigated by the Holy Church. A device that reacts to the wishes of the one who holds it in order to grant them; however, on their own, they are not capable of generating true miracles without outside intervention." The teacup then held upright as if was some kind of a sacred object, "What you create was not something new, it's archaic. Among its many names, the most famous of it all is a chalice which used to catch the blood of Jesus Christ at the crucifixion, the Holy Grail."

Ichigo knew the Hōgyoku is not quite literally the Holy Grail. By analogy, any elusive object or goal of great significance may be perceived as a holy grail by those seeking it. Or in this case, creating it.

Perhaps this war is inevitable after all. Soul Society may not be calling it the Holy Grail War, but they are already in another version of it.

"You speak as if you know the Holy Grail itself," Kisuke speaks lowly.

"What do you think my time travel is about? Vacation? Oh, I wish. I was on my own Quest for the Holy Grail," Ichigo sipped her tea periodically, "Well, I let Orihime walks into a trap. Though, strategically, I don't have a lot of choices considering Aizen using Ulquiorra to collect her, if she said no, he would have killed her on the spot. If I fight him... Let's just say I don't want to level the whole town."

"What do you think Aizen going to use her for?"

Is this a test or he doesn't dare enough to voice it? Ichigo's left eyebrow tugged up skeptically at Kisuke's question, "Best guess, nothing. She might heal a limb or two to prove a point. But concerning the Hōgyoku, she can do nothing. The main problem is Orihime's gullibility, I'm sure Aizen doesn't need Kyōka Suigetsu to make her believe she can 'reject' the device that activates her power, not even with her life she can will it away out of existence. No one is that powerful, even me."

Kisuke gritted his teeth. With Aizen combining his and his Hōgyoku, it is going to be far more indestructible; beyond indestructible most likely.

"I'm surprised that you haven't swiped your sword on my throat. Isn't that what the Five Great Noble families usually do? Silence the subject who threatens the truth about the Soul King. You better do it before I became a bigger problem like Aizen. As someone who disagrees with your understanding of how the world works, it's only logical that I defy the existence of the Soul King."

Kisuke sizing up and it is getting worse by the next second. He wanted to say no but he cannot. He wanted to deny Ichigo's claim but he cannot for silencing subjects who potentially unveil the truth about the Soul King was one of the many rotten acts by the Five Great Noble families. If Ichigo is a native of Soul Society, she would have been confined at the Maggot's Nest. His past duty as a warden flashing before him and he can feel it crawling to his nape.  

"With all due respect, I don't want to kill you," Kisuke replied rather automatically.

"What a shame. Don't complain when I become too problematic."

Kisuke was not sure if Ichigo said that because she is homicidal or it is just plain frivolity, "... How...do you know I was a former retinue of the Noble House of Shihouin?"

"It's not that hard to pinpoint your relationship with Yoruichi, fostering is a common practice among aristocrats. Did your parents appease the Shihouin so you can be fostered? Oh, and did I say former? Please, you're only former because you're exiled. Your duty as a family member still stands."

"My parents didn't appease the Shihouin...it's the other way around."

Oh, unique parents with a unique son. Ichigo whistled, "Speaking of Noble Family, I still can't believe Goat Face is one."

Kisuke blinked, "You know he's a Shiba?"

"Only by two days ago. For someone who's using Mom's family surname, he surely doesn't get along with his In-Laws." 

In-Law? Which In-Law? Ryuuken? But she said 'mom's family surname', there's no other Kurosaki other than-- No way... "You met Isamu Kurosaki?!" When did she even get the time for that?

"Well, Urahara-san, there's a saying; Nothing in this world is a coincidence. Everything is Hitsuzen." Ichigo cheekily said.

Hitsuzen... Foreordained event my ass. Can she just say it's pure coincidence? The edges of Kisuke's eyes finally twitched. And it does carry some truth; Ichigo met Kuukaku, Ganju, her grandmother, and her Kuchiki cousins; Byakuya stabbed her, and Rukia was adopted into the Kuchiki Clan; before she even knows that they are her family.

"The Shiba Clan is not of the Five Great Noble families anymore..." 

"They can demote the founding families of Soul Society? Huh, nothing last forever I guess." Ichigo then smirked, "Then by technicality, it's Goat-Face who marries into nobility."

Kisuke does not blame Ichigo for not having any empathy toward her paternal Clan, she was not born in Soul Society, therefore has no sense of patriotism for them.

 

Patriotism.

 

He scoffed, if people can read his heart, his patriotism can be considered ambiguous too. He missed the day traveling around the land with his parents; making clothes with his mother in the red light district, mixing medicine with his father, or tinkering in his bedroom. Then remembering how he hated coming into the Seireitei and accusing her parents to dump him with the Shihouin. Not that he hated Yoruichi but everyone around him is making him sick; they are all so conceited.

When people say nobles act with proper decorum and grace, then they are being liars. Unfortunately, it seems to be how they survive around there, thus he learns, and in the twinkling of an eye, masters it. Smile, waves, and a stab in the back. Disgusting but necessary.

If he was given the choice to go back as the little vagabond he was then certainly jump straight for it. Through banishment, exploring the World of the Living soothes the ache a little though he wished it was under better circumstances, not as an exile but as a free man. Not as Kisuke Urahara, former Captain of the Twelve Division, but simply as Kisuke Urahara; the joyful little boy who was born in a faraway village near the sea.

When he said he wanted to come back to Soul Society, he does not mean to Seireitei. He wanted to come back to his old home. That can only be reached by trekking the West Rukongai for three weeks, even after reaching the edge of the last district, one must keep on walking till they saw the blue of the ocean in their sight.

For all the reason why he hated Soul Society was probably because it turned him into a bitter adult.

 

"Kurosaki-san, what are you going to do?"

"... Whatever it is, I'm doing it with a panache."

 


 

"My grandmother used to tell about a man who can never go to the Reverse World, for it was a wish nobody wanted anymore. It was alive since they wanted it to be alive, then die since they wanted it to be dead. I don't blame them to fight over it, even without a heart, it holds power. Not a Dragon, not a God. A wish." 

It took quite a time for Ichigo to process what Scáthach had said, "It was alive since they wanted it to be alive, then die since they wanted it to be dead. What? Like a doll played with by children then dropped to the ground when they are bored playing with it?"

Scáthach shrugged, "Perhaps he is. He wasn't wished with a Grail, mind you. Despite not being a true entity, after being mutilated he's strong enough to retain existence. He is akin to a miracle. Ah, truly, Creation Magick never fails to please." She said with a sad smile. "They say, only with a heart, he finally able to be awake."

"What happens when he finally awakes?"

"He... Invites."

Invites...what?

"Say, Shisou, if you met the Soul King, what will you say to him?"

"I pity you." Scáthach breathed, "Then I kill him out of pity..."

"You don't do that often, do you?"

"... Chan e, a dhuine bhig."

 


 

 

When Rukia wakes up, she feels like she should be dead. The last thing she remembered was protecting Orihime from an Arrancar; Cold green eyes and facial expressions rarely change. Then slumping on the road, losing the sense of the entire right side of her body, she was sure her eyes were open, and yet, she could not see anything. She checked her body to find that it is whole. Weird. Why is it weird? She should be glad...

She turned to her side and find Sode no Shirayuki lying beside her. A wave of relief washed over her.

The sliding door opened to reveal...-Ichigo? She's here?

The redhead is carrying a tray of breakfast.

"You're awake, good. Tōshirō sends me to tell you to get ready. The Captain Commander is holding a meeting soon."

"Oh, t-thank you... Ichigo?"

"Hmm?"

"Where were you in these past few weeks?"

"Around."

Rukia frowned at the ambiguous answer. Before she can demand a more definite answer, Ichigo already walked to the exit.

"Eat, Rukia. You almost died yesterday."

The sliding door closed with a low thump.

 

The meeting is held at Orihime's apartment because it is the place where Captain Hitsugaya installed what Ichigo dubbed as 'ooey-gooey huge television'. Rukia found it strange when she noticed that Orihime was not around, considering this is the girl's residence. The screen is kept on buzzing before the image of Captain-Commander Genryūsai Shigekuni Yamamoto flashes into existence. She said her greeting with her fellow Soul Reapers, except Ichigo who crosses her arms. Aside from the redhead, Chad and Tatsuki also here so they can learn about the situation is.

: Rukia Kuchiki, regarding your last report about the Arrancar attack toward Orihime Inoue. Are you certain you're the last person to be in contact with her?: the Head Captain started.

"Yes sir, I-"

"No, it was me. Rukia was down when I arrived and the Arrancar already escaped," Ichigo cut in, "The Arrancar's name who attacked Rukia was Ulquiorra. I encountered him before."

She did not even see Ulquiorra when she arrived. She knew it was him because of the lingering foreign Reiatsu at the scene that she manages to perceive with her True Sixth Sense. Not like Soul Society is aware of her Spirit Origin though. The only person who knew was Shinji since he was eavesdropping on her conversation with Orihime.

Ichigo was not worried. Shinji is not a loudmouth.

: I see. After Rukia Kuchiki was attacked, we lost contact with her in Naruki City. Her Denreishinki was destroyed. Nevertheless, how is the fare of your friend?:

"Alive, in the hands of the enemy."

: She was abducted?:

"No, she went willingly. After Rukia was attacked, I suspected there was an exchange between her and Ulquiorra. What I did when I arrived was to help Rukia in the healing process." With the help of Soul Society's two longtime fugitives, Shinji Hirako and Hachigen Ushōda no less.

Ichigo knows the Captain Head Captain regards Kisuke as an ally but she too chooses to not mention him in case speaking the bucket-hatted man's name will rise Yamamoto's ire. Maybe yes, maybe no. Kisuke has that effect on people, unfortunately.

Hearing Orihime went willingly into the enemy side earns everyone's attention, but Ichigo and the Captain-Commander are calm as a grass meadow.

: This suggests an act of betrayal. If she was abducted she wouldn't have been allowed to see you again. Orihime Inoue joined the Arrancar of her own free will.:

 

Tatsuki is the one who is the most upset about the accusation toward her best friend, however, before she can continue her tirade Ichigo lifted her hand, signaling her to stop.

 

An act of betrayal? Here I thought you guys are quite advanced in the art of war. While at a glance it does look like an act of betrayal, said act is deemed outrageous in Orihime's regards. The girl is nowhere near Ulquiorra's caliber. The Arrancar may even be able to end her life with the flick of his wrist.

Ichigo blatantly scoffed, not caring that Yamamoto's subordinates currently flocking around her will view it as plain rude, "What power of one human girl to defy an opponent who she clearly had no chance of winning? The correct term is not betrayal, it's prisoner of war. Also, the reason why I know about Orihime's departure was that I was the person she bid farewell to. If you want to accuse someone about an act of betrayal, that would be me, for I gave consent to her choice in leaving."

: You show no resistance toward Orihime Inoue's decision?:

Yamamoto opened one of his eyes as if saying 'I didn't expect you to be capable of doing this.

Oh, Ichigo does not blame him for assuming she is a snot-nosed brat who is unable to make a harsh decision. What can she say...

Fake it till you make it.

"I know how strong Ulquiorra is, Karakura Town wouldn't survive our fight. I still abide by my position as the Substitute Soul Reaper to protect my hometown."

Rukia is dumbfounded by the exchange between the Head Captain and Ichigo. She did not take Ichigo to be a diplomatic person. But with the way her talk is carried... "You're willing to let Inoue go for the sake of the people of Karakura..."

Ichigo gave Rukia a glance although she does not answer her whatsoever.

"I... I can't believe you're doing this..."

"This is war." Ichigo's answer was laced with steel.

"But you don't have to make such a decision!"

"I'm not going to forsake Orihime's sacrifice, I respect her decision." Ichigo skillfully catch the fist Rukia aimed at her, "You should've known better, Rukia. This is war. You said I don't have to make such a decision? Fine, undermine me all you want because I'm standing here, but Orihime's not here, if you want to scold her about not having to make such a decision, then go talk to a wall."

: Ichigo Kurosaki is right. There is no point in weighing the life of one person against the fate of the entire world. Rukia Kuchiki, control yourself!: The Head-Captain tapped his cane to the floor, the noise from the screen echoing in Orihime's apartment. He is in mutual agreement.

Tōshirō had this thoughtful face and kept sending a suspicious glance at Ichigo. While the others looked uncomfortable by the spectacle.

: And there will be no effort for retrieving Orihime Inoue. Now that we know the Arrancar is preparing for war, I would like all members of Captain Hitsugaya's squad to return immediately to assist in the protection of Soul Society.: Yamamoto announced.

"Does this mean...we're abandoning Inoue?" Rukia gritted her teeth, "My deepest apologies, Captain-Commander...but I cannot obey that order."

: ... I expected as much. I'm glad I prepared this ahead of time.:

A Senkaimon opened in the middle of the room. Everyone looked behind to see Byakuya and Kenpachi stepping out of it. 

: Captain Kuchiki, Captain Zaraki, Captain Hitsugaya. Please escort the officers back to this instance.:

With the firm order from the Head Captain, Byakuya, Tōshirō, and Kenpachi did their deeds. Tōshirō had it easy since he only have his lieutenant, Byakuya grabbed Renji by the collar but give Rukia a gentle push, and Kenpachi dragged Ikkaku and Yumichika as if they are a pair of mangy felines.

"Ichigo-" Rukia tried to resist her brother's hold.

"I'll see you on the other side, Rukia."

The gentle smile on Ichigo's face was the last thing Rukia see before the Senkaimon closed.

 

Ichigo tapped her forefinger on her hip, "Wonder how long she's going to realize it."

: Ichigo Kurosaki, so you do planning to die like a dog.: Yamamoto hummed.

Die like a dog? Ichigo thinks she deserves a far better demean considering her effort for staying alive despite the universe constantly trying to kill her. If the demean is a pack of dogs, she would have loved it if they put it as a pack of Wyvern.

"Dog would never bet on things, and so, it's incongruous. By the way... Bidh an tidsear agam a ’cur a cuid spèis," Ichigo saluted away. She sees Yamamoto's eyes widen and then narrow before the screen went black. She snapped her fingers to Tatsuki and Chad to check if they are still in the present. Both flinched at the gesture, "Good. Now it's time for the covert mission."

"Covert mission...?" Chad asked in confusion.

"Do the two of you want to save Orihime or not?"

"Huh? Then what was that about?" Tatsuki clearly confused, "The Head Captain said there will be no effort from Soul Society to save Orihime!"

"I'm glad you phrased it that way. Save Orihime. You see, if Soul Society did send people to get Orihime, there's no promise she will come back alive which is why the keyword is 'retrieving'. You, having the mind of loyal friendship make it single-minded by making the word 'retrieve' synonymous with 'save'. Do remember that the Gotei 13 is a military organization, bringing someone back not alive can be considered lucky as long there's a body to bury." 

Tatsuki and Chad are astounded by Ichigo's explanation.

"We're not part of the Gotei 13. That's why we can go whenever we want for a rescue like a bunch of spunky teenagers we are who know no better about tomorrow," Ichigo lifted her hands in a banzai, "Come on! It's going to be like infiltrating Soul Society only worse!"

"Ichigo..." Chad, the one who has known Ichigo for the longest, noticed his best friend is not being her usual self, "Are you okay?"

"No. Do I look like I'm okay? I used Orihime as a bargain! I saw her leaving right in front of my eyes, in tow with Ulquiorra closing the portal to Hueco Mundo! I could've fought him but I choose not to because I don't want Japan to lose a portion of its land! Did I do wrong? I don't fucking know!" Ichigo practically snarled.

They heard the wall being hit by the neighboring apartment unit and a shout of warning to keep it down.

"I heard the two of you had been training to get stronger since I was gone... Good, I hope it was worth it. Prepare yourself for a trip to Hueco Mundo."

 


 

The next day, Ichigo, Tatsuki, and Chad went to school in a stormy mood. So far they are doing good pretending as if Orihime never went to Hueco Mundo in the first place. Ichigo is currently being scolded by the homeroom teacher for her continuous absence, the whole class did not consider the scene weird since it is an often occurrence when it involves Ichigo Kurosaki.

"I may be gone for a long time, Ochi-sense but I bet I can answer all of your tests a hundred percent accurately, Ochi-sensei." The edge of Ichigo's lip tugged up, not caring about her head being whacked with an attendance book, "Your new glasses are cool."

"Why thanks Kurosaki, I got it three weeks ago!" Ochi-sensei gave a final whack at her student. Damn, this one student of hers who has a very hard skull, "Did you want to hold back your grade because you thought I'd get lonely?"

"With what bad marks I'll be held back?" Ichigo smirked teasingly.

"Cheeky brat!"

Chad watched the playful banter unfold quietly from his seat. He knows Ichigo carries a burden and it was not something she can easily share. He got this feeling that even if she did share it, he would not understand completely. He sensed her best friend is grieving. The grief is new. He tried to remember who has passed on Ichigo's life recently. It is not Orihime, Ichigo said so she is still alive. Not her mother, Ichigo had let her go. Whoever they are, their passing impact greatly on Ichigo as hard as the time of her mother's passing.

Something is different about Ichigo too. He knows she used to be brash, act first and ask questions later. Now she is calculative and alert but scowls less often. She also feels like...an adult. Constantly tries to converse with him on a topic that teenagers are often concerned but he can see she got emotionally tired of it rapidly. He founds how she was more comfortable chatting around Urahara-san, Yoruichi-san, and the fake student, Shinji Hirako.

It was not all that bad. Despite the burden carried with the new adult persona, Ichigo somehow manages to smile more, although Chad had a hard time differentiating which is the one that reacts to humor and mirth. Her constant scowl is there yet manages to smooth down a bit, creating a far more friendly image. It is weird but it is her.

What was weird that it was all started when they started as high schoolers. Strange, as far as Chad remembers, he met Ichigo several times and she still had...her old self. He cannot help but wonder, what is she actually hiding.

"Hey, Chad do you think we'll be alright?" Tatsuki started in a low tone, "I know we all wanted to save Orihime but... I can't shake the feeling that these all may be a ploy..."

"... I-"

"Wowee, ya' two just realized that, have you two been living under a rock?"

The sudden Kansai accent surprised the two teenagers. Though they do wonder why Shinji Hirako still bothers coming back to Karakura High School.

"The Arrancars are strong, Nuff said. The main problem is however Sousuke Aizen, is beyond yer two brains to comprehend. It's so beyond that ya two haf' no other choice but to play into his game. Ya' see, it's not about getting stronger so ya' can beat the shit out of your enemies, that's childish thinking. It's more like how ya' can understand them."

"... And you understand Sousuke Aizen yourself?" Chad asked.

"Maybe I do, maybe I don't. He was my subordinate for decades and turns out I don't know him at all. Stab me in da' back like a bastard." Shinji crossed his arms behind his head and lean on them, "It's a gamble when fighting him... And it's he's not even near us right now."

Tatsuki growled in frustration, "But we can't just forget Orihime, she's our friend."

Shinji gave her a contemplative look, "I think the reason why Ichigo went with the rescue plan is that she let herself do it while she still can."

Chad blinked, "What do you mean with 'while she still can?" 

"Ichigo is a good person...but she lives on the edge. All of her choices are between, should she rescue Orihime Inoue like a damn hitman on the loose who murders everyone who gets in her way or simply as her friend and showing mercy or dying in the process of trying."

"Ichigo is not like that! I've known her for a long time, she's not-" Chad did not realize he became snappish, he is not usually like this

"But ya' wanted Orihime-chan back right? Why bother ta' get greedy about others? Look I may not know her like ya' but I know Aizen. It's not about true colors anymore, it's about every color ya' bring out in a battle." Shinji sighed and ran his hand through his face, "Life isn't fair, sometimes ta' reach a goal, any method is necessary."

Chad and Tatsuki are quiet. They saw Ichigo sauntering out from class with a little dance with her feet. They wonder how she can act like that; hiding the wrong by acting before the storm is coming.

While Shinji rolled his eyes at Ichigo's antics.

"Good luck on yer' venture to Hueco Mundo. Ya'll need it."

 

 

In the afternoon, six hours before the Karakura Gang's departure to Hueco Mundo, Ichigo is busy testing her sniper rifle on the school rooftop. Replicating a replication of a Black Barrel is no easy task even if she still owns the blueprint, the 'original' was left on the Shadow Border and did not go with her after coming back. This is fine for Ichigo since it is not like she is going to shoot someone with a high amount of Grain. The sniper rifle she currently creates cannot be considered a Black Barrel replica either since it is not a Conceptual Weapon of the natural lifespan.

But it is still considered a magic gun. The gun can be used as a perfectly normal firearm when Ichigo does not use the conversion chamber to cycle her Spirit Origin so it can attack an illusion. Ichigo had to specifically construct the bullets to be strong enough to create disarray in a specific environment. Ironically using the story of a 'silver bullet' being shot toward werewolves in popular culture as a reference, the bullets are constructed mainly of silver dust, and being the size of caliber twenty, these are some huge bullets.

Merlin used to be her test field. It was a bet... And they are insane like that. The once-Camelot residents were particularly excited about the idea of harming Merlin too (Especially Arturia) with a gun. Mash was confused why the Mage of Flower was okay for Ichigo to create a weapon that negates his ability for fun. It is so Mash, to be sane among the craziness.

Although the disarray effects were only temporary, Merlin had to give Ichigo his credits since she actually managed it. 

Too bad this sniper rifle cannot kill or hurt an entity. The 'original' was absurdly multi-purpose.

"Would it be easier if a Quincy shot an arrow made out of the silver bullet? Gun is so loud," Ichigo murmured.

Quincy can convert Reishi into a weapon, though she founds said race even has its limits when none of them studied Alchemy.

Not to mention she based the model on The Denel NTW-20. An anti-material rifle is currently the best option for her against Aizen since the man is a walking tank, it would be worse if she go for an actual cannon which is not exactly covert. Mash's Black Barrel which integrated with Ortenaus is an example but their enemies used to be very gigantic so it was understandable, not to mention godly.

 

"Well, that's a funny image. A Soul Reaper with a modern firearm."

Ichigo looked back to see a man with messy yet luscious black hair, his eyes blazing in blue-orange color; similar to when she turns on a stove, and he is tall; at least sixth point two. His attire is a reminisce of a fantasy hanfu; mostly black in color and a silver pouldron on his left shoulder shaped like a demon with a long red fabric flowing carelessly, pinned on it.

His nose makes Ichigo frown, it is similar to her father's. But for some reason, it does not make her want to punch him.

"I'm not a Soul Reaper." Ichigo chided, "Did Gentiana send you?"

"No, I in particular love roaming the human world, the fire on each of them is what draws me here."

Oh, great, a Fire Elemental. The fire kind is high with curiosity, "... Your kind has a connection with Soul Society isn't it? That's why none of you retrieves to the Reverse Side."

"Let's just say we'll be here until Soul King's throne aforementioned time."

More riddle... Ichigo huffed, "That doesn't explain why you're here, looking at me fiddling with a magic gun."

"I want to tell you, my friends and I are ready to help if you ask for it. Don't make it out of habit though or you'll turn lazy~"

This guy is seriously trying to pop my veins, "You know back when I was on my journey saving the world, your kind are mostly trying to kill me," The Efreet, Alraune, Kelpie, Spriggan; the list could go on, "... But considering the connection with Soul Society and the Soul King... You guys used to be people, right?"

"Perceptive" The man beamed,"... As always." He then said in a hushed tone.

"What?"

"Nothing."

Ichigo pursued her lip, "What should I call you then? Fire McFlamey?"

"I fancy myself to be called Ignis."

Latin, how original.

 


 

Walking to Kisuke's shop, Ichigo compiled all the information she have on Hueco Mundo. According to Scáthach's story, Hueco Mundo is a world filled with sand, the sky in perpetual nights, and occasional sandstorms. It is like the Sahara minus the heat of death on daylight hour. Pulling from the Human World example too, deserts are cold at night. Ichigo experienced it firsthand during Camelot Singularity and with the perpetual nights, it is mean that it will be always cold.

Ichigo fashioned herself a woad blue hooded haori to protect herself from the cold and sand. She brought three long coats for Chad, Tatsuki, and...and Uryuu. Oh yes, she did not forget that one tsundere Quincy. Trying to hide his feelings as if he does not care.

We're not friends! 

Oh please, Uryuu you suck at lying.

Ichigo is not surprised to see Uryuu already at the Urahara Shop's training ground in his-- Ugh! It's white! It's blinding me!

She personally despises Quincy's cultural color is white because it reflects light and is bad for clandestine, especially when the desert is in perpetual night. What is he? The apocalypse's first horseman, the rider of the white horse? Except he is the horse, not the rider. Get out of here! He is the Quincy, a race who traditionally shoots monsters with Reishi arrows, and he wishes to get shot first! If Ichigo dead-ass hates Uryuu, she let him get shot first.

On purpose.

As bait!

"Wear this." Ichigo shoved a Prussian blue coat at Uryuu, "In case your glasses don't work, your coat is Prussian blue, not woad blue like my haori." Considering the seamstress spirit within Uryuu, there must be a lot of time wasted in a fabric store choosing the intended shade of color for clothing. His pride will be attacked if he recognizes the blue of her haori is the same as the coat he gave for him.

"Coats, Kurosaki?" Uryuu skeptical.

"Unless you love sand, then it's fine for you not to wear it."

Ichigo chuckled when Uryuu growled at her when receiving the piece of wardrobe.

Chad and Tatsuki arrived together. Ichigo almost bulged her eyes out when she sees them wearing a polo shirt and tank top, at least the colors are subdued. She cannot fully blame them. It is not like they can get high-end Mystic Code apparel; Uryuu does not count, back in Soul Society saving Rukia, he was bringing a change of clothes. Maybe their spiritual energy unconsciously reinforced their clothes. 

Also good thinking for Tatsuki for wearing combat boots for the incoming combat. Chad and his Oxford shoes... Well, they are renowned for sturdy footwear. Ichigo does not voice her opinions about their clothing and gave them their share of coats; dark gray for Chad and greyish military green for Tatsuki.

"Ichigo, I want to say something before we go, " Chad started, "Belief in us, don't carry the burden yourself. That's what are friends for."

To everyone surprise, Ichigo laughed and she pats Chad on the shoulder continuously in a good-humored manner.

"Relax, Chad, I haven't lost my faith in humanity! Is this about me snarling at you and Tatsuki yesterday? Sorry about that, I have my moments."

Chad felt incredibly dumbfounded at the moment. Ichigo kept giggling.

"... Are you all prepared?" Kisuke checked.

"Oh Urahara-san you're here too!" Ichigo beamed.

"I've been here the whole time."

Ichigo cleared her throat, "Yeah, I think we're ready- Oh wait!" She pointed at Uryuu, "First, there's nothing I can do about the sun," Then at Tatsuki, "Second, there's no more bread, it's all gone!" Then finally at Chad, "When we pass a dog, don't say 'there's a dog!' We know. We see it. Alright? Now let's get going!" 

"... Ichigo, what are you talking about?" Tatsuki asked the age-old question.

"Encouragement!"

 

Huh?

 

They quickly abandon what was all that about and headed to the position where two pieces of wood were embedded in a rocky mound that stood side by side. Kisuke stood on of it, chanting while letting his spiritual energy flow on the wood, then reaching the other across the other beam. In their naked eyes, it is as if she cuts the air. A maw of portal opened that is unlike an illegal Senkaimon, this time a dark and unclear void was seen inside the maw.

Ichigo thought it is strange that she perceive no wail, the needle stab, rancid taste, and foul smell usually when a Garganta opened in the World of The Living. Is it because of the caster?

"Before I forgot, Urahara-san!"

"Yes?"

"If Shinji-san came here to discuss you with something... Don't get too surprised."

"... Okay."...?

 

With that, the Karakura Gang launched themselves into the maw. Departing from their homeworld.

 

"Geez, of course, it's useless hiding. Oi, now ya' two know what are they doing ya' better go home and study like a good student," Shinji said to Keigo and Mizuiro who shifted out from a large rock where they were hiding.

"Um, where exactly are they going?" Keigo asked.

"It's better ya' not to know."

Mizuiro nodded and dragged Keigo away.

 

"So I assume, there is something you want to discuss something, Hirako-san?" Kisuke guessed by piecing the means in Ichigo's words.

"Ya' know I masked my presence right? Da' the only thing ya' know why I'm here it's because ya' left the front door open in tow with two kids who obviously had no idea how to hide themselves." Shinji scratched the back of his head, "I pull ma' ass off at masking my presence. How did Ichigo know?"

"She can still sense you?"

"Oh yeah, not by our mundane means tho'"

"... I'm listening."

With Ichigo in the fold and being unpredictable, he has to listen a lot.

 

Notes:

If you play FFXIV you know precisely what my take on the Soul King is. Well, there will be some twists of course.

My headcanon, 'Kisuke Urahara (浦原 喜助)' is HIS name and I mean not by 'Kisuke' is his given name and 'Urahara' is his family name. It's his WHOLE name. His parents named him 'joy' and the location where he was born, a beachside field (浦原). Why? It's not like there's a family registry there and considering who I headcanon as his father here, the man doesn't really have a family name!

(Scottish-Gaelic) Chan e, a dhuine bhig: No, little one
(Scottish-Gaelic) Bidh an tidsear agam a ’cur a cuid spèis: My teacher sends her regards
I'm using a translator so it might be not accurate.

Originally, I was going for the Barret M82 for the sniper model before ending up with Denel NTW-20.

Chapter 38: Hard Country

Summary:

"I hate sand. It's coarse, and rough, and irritating, and it gets everywhere," Ichigo reenacts Anakin Skywalker's most famous line. Grabbing a fistful of sand and imitating the main poses of the meme 'Dramatic Dymitry'.

Ozymandias and Nitocris rolled their eyes, "Stop complaining."

"Killjoys."

Notes:

I love dinosaurs.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Ichigo looked back to see Chad, Tatsuki, and Uryuu; each holding projected feathers with every inch of their life. Tatsuki and Uryuu screamed while Chad opted not going to waste his oxygen. She guessed they are not used to this kind of speed for travel. To traverse the Garganta, one must create a pathway out of their spiritual energy to travel to the other side. Ichigo did it and it took the form of a winged creature with detailed feathers that is big enough to carry the four of them and without question, everyone get on it.

Until it soared with the speed of a roller coaster. However, compared to Servant Riders' speed, this is considered to be slow.

"Kurosaki, what the Hell is with your projected platform?!" Uryuu shouted.

Ichigo wills her projected transportation to slow down and it did. Interesting. It actually follows her command, "Sorry, I didn't know it'll do that."

"You're supposed to make a bridge, not a bird!"

"I tried and it come out like this," Rather than a bridge is it not better to ride transportation to conserve stamina on the leg? Everyone's a critic. "By the way, Urahara-san told me that in exchange for your Quincy training with your father, you mustn't involve yourself with Soul Reaper ever again, and yet here you are. Closeted softie."

"What did you call me?!" Uryuu bristled, crossing his arms indignantly, "We're fighting Arrancars, not Soul Reapers."

"Is it that hard to say 'I want to save Inoue-san too', Ishida?" Ichigo saw red starting to color Uryuu's cheeks and giggled, "On the bright side, the speed saves us time for the journey. I hoped Rukia and Renji are not that angry at us for departing first instead of waiting for them. Yeah no, Rukia especially is so gonna be pissed!"

Tatsuki blinked, "Rukia and Renji's gonna be here?"

"Remember when I said to Rukia that I will see her on the other side? Hueco Mundo is that other side. Depends on how long she's going to crack the code."

"But I thought Soul Society won't send anyone to help us in saving Orihime?"

"They're not. Rukia and Renji are acting on their own term, they carry the insubordination at their own risk. Soul Society won't willingly send their people in a difficult time like this."

With only two hundred members in each Division to guard the whole Seiretei, and the Captains, Lieutenant, or at least those who have Reiatsu on par with upper ranked will be deployed into the front line, there's only so much they can do. Personally, Ichigo would not heavily rely on them.

Chad and Tatsuki shared an uncomfortable look. Uryuu narrowed his eyes at Ichigo, contemplative is his being.

 

The portal breaks like a shred of glass as they arrived in a white hallway with no windows. This is not what Ichigo expects, an actual construction in Hueco Mundo. She crouched to touch the floor; traces of sand. At least they are at the correct destination... But this building is a trap. Aizen must have built it using the trajectory of Kisuke's Garganta pathway from the shop; these two are constantly trying to one-up one another.

"We need to find a place to hide-"

"No, let's get out here. This place is a trap." Ichigo cuts off, "It's no coincidence why there's a building here, not to mention underground. In case is destroyed, it's designed to bury its victim alive."

Like some kind of horror movie, a huge humanoid hand tapped on the hallway's ceiling conspicuously, the Reiatsu is obviously Hollow. An Arrancar. With a grim voice, he said, "Who are you?"

Ichigo is not impressed. She lifted her hand, letting mana course through it, drew some binding runes, and twist her hand in clockwise. A series of strings manifested. As she gripped her hand into a fist, the strings tightened and bind the Arrancar, who effectively let out a series of curses and protests.

"They certainly worst at making an entrance," Ichigo drawled, "Let's move!"

They keep on running through the hallway until reached the actual hall of said underground construction. They saw stairs, hopefully, connected to the outside, only to be stopped by a Pterodactyl-looking Arrancar. At least their appearances are not boring. Speaking of Pterodactyl, Ichigo glanced at the Arrancar's shoulder to spot an extra limb. She spots none. Who knows if he is going to sprout wings later.

The ground shakes, the Arrancar she previously succeeded in breaking free her binding spell.

"We're flanked," Uryuu said, taking out his Quincy cross.

"I'm not sure of that," Tatsuki popped her wrists joint.

"Unless you want to turn the tide," Chad braces up his fist.

Ichigo crossed her arms, sighing quietly so nobody noticed. These three are way too eager to fight.

The Arrancar with a gigantic hand swings his fist straight at the Gang and they evaded easily by jumping away. They dispersed. Ichigo's perception shows that none of the two Arrancars have no traces of Hōgyoku in their being. These two Arrancar naturally became Arrancar. According to Kisuke, the Arrancars Grimmjow bought to Karakura was a mix of Gillian and Adjuchas. Menos usually take a humanoid shape when become Arrancar, the one who manages to take a complete human form is the Vasto Lorde.

Attaining a human form seems to signify greater strength within the Hollow's circle, therefore, the closer it looks to a regular Hollow, the lower of power of reasoning... So the more they look monstrous, the dumber they are? Wait, where is the logic in that? A human died, and their soul shifted into a Hollow; practically mindless, then proceed to eat a bunch of other Hollows at Hueco Mundo, so many that they became humanoid looking. It sounded more like they are trying to achieve their humanity back.

"Kurosaki! Are you paying attention?!"

Oh, they are done beating those Arrancars up. Great. Sometimes I feel like a mother watching her children playing at the park.

Ichigo approached the Pterodactyl-looking Arrancar who is less looking like a Pterodactyl now, with his masks banged up pretty thoroughly, and lifted the cape covering his body. The number '17' is tattooed on his back. So, rank '17' among what? One hundred Arrancars? If they start with '0', meaning the biggest number would be '99'. Judging by their Reiatsu which is lower than Grimmjow and Ulquiorra, meaning the smaller the number the stronger they are.

... Who held rank '0'?

And then the place started to shake. Well done children, it seems they went a little too wild. Not only beating the Arrancars but they also forgot about the place's integrity.

"Ichigo, we need to get out of here!" 

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Eurgh, you damn youngsters.

Instead of the stair, Ichigo walks to the wall where the cracks started to appear and started to draw some runes on it. Letting the inscription seeps into the wall and calmly walk toward the stairs. The shaking stopped and the cracks started to mend themselves.

"What the Hell did you just do?!" The Pterodactyl-looking Arrancar screeched.

Ichigo was just about to step onto the stairs and looked back, "Preventing this place from falling apart."

"You fool! We are the guards of this place, we expel those who would pass through here and break into Las Noches. If we should fall, so shall this room!"

"Not quite, this place is brittle, sure, but it's not connected to your being. Besides, I just don't want too much of a hassle to exit this place. Bye, keep doing your job as a guard." Ichigo sauntered away, followed by her friends.

"You should've let us die! You can't survive Hueco Mundo! There is no end to this fight and there is no victory ahead of you! Lord Aizen fears nothing!" The Arrancar declared.

"Indeed!" Ichigo bellowed back, "It is for that reason you folks gathered before him! Ye who born from fear, the path of a man who has no fear is as dazzling as moonbeam!"

The last thing the Pterodactyl-looking saw from Ichigo was a glance of RED in her eyes and for that small glimpse, he shuddered.

 

Hueco Mundo. A place of a perpetual state of the night sky with a lone crescent moon hanging, a few clouds, and an expanse of white desert. There is a lack of signs of vegetation, even when there are some dead-looking trees when touched; instead of wood, was a quartz-like material. At a glance, it felt depressing. But for Ichigo, who was reminded of Brynhild's offhand comment when she and Ichigo exchanged stories.

"That world sounds a lot like Niflheim."

Awesome. Small imagery of what one of the Norse myth's realms looked like. Minus the field of ice, obviously, but it is still cold. To quote Hrafnagaldr Óðins poem: Towards which the sun chased the night as it rose. It seems the sun chased the night and decided to never rise. Although, she bet Niflheim must have been a lot more impressive than Hueco Mundo despite the gloom.

Also to their right. Architecture. Again white in color and occasionally a hue of blue because of the light of the moon. It consists of the main building with a domed center surrounded by several large towers and smaller buildings.

"A castle...? Or a palace...?" Uryuu stunned.

"It's massive!" Tatsuki exclaimed.

Nah, you should have seen Surtr. And any of the stupidly massive beings Ichigo encountered before.

She observed the series of white-colored summer camp obstacles in front of her, without a blueprint, it is impossible to search the place methodically, and with the teenage attitudes around her; they will get restless easily. Swell. It will be a good lesson in patience too.

And with that, the gang traverses Las Noches by running. In times like this, Ichigo missed the contraption Da Vinci created.

Ichigo took her time to analyze Hueco Mundo's environment, considering how far easier she utilizes spells in this world than in her homeworld. In Magecraft, Magical Energies are primarily classified into two types; Mana and Od. Separated only by whether it comes from the atmosphere or from within human magi. They are essentially identical in terms of quality, but the world's Mana vastly exceeds humanity's Od. Make sense. Why would someone be its own planet within a planet? That is a recipe for disaster.

Hueco Mundo has a high level of spirit particles in the air, and small Hollows; like the one, Ichigo almost stepped on; shaped like a gecko, burrowing itself immediately into the sand out of surprise; gaining enough nourishment just by breathing. Those who live in a dimension like this did not get tired or hungry that easily. Making Soul Reapers, Quincy, and Hollow also essentially fight better in this kind of environment.

Yet, it is no Age of God's Magical energies. If yes, Uryuu, despite being a Quincy, will die when exposed to it. Humanity has adapted to an environment where Magical Energy is vanishing, and their bodies can no longer withstand the ancient versions of it.

Though, if the Magus is aware of the existence of a Hueco Mundo and Soul Society, it will be a full-blown attempt at conquest, after all, energies are energies.

 

Ichigo chuckled. Hmm, a stock market on magical energy sounds very plausible right now-- Ah! Incoming at six.

 

Suddenly a group of Hollows emerged from the sands... Screaming? Laughing? It looked like they are playing a game of chase or something. Three bizarre-looking Hollows; a sandworm and two humanoids; chasing a child... A child that has a trace of Hōgyoku in their being. Ichigo's eyes narrowed. Oh, interesting. That is not a child. That is an Arrancar. So are the skinny one and the wide-bodied one, though clearly of a weaker caliber than the child. The sandworm is purely a Hollow though.

"Are those Hollows chasing a human child?" Tatsuki pointed at the dusty-cloak-wearing child chased by, who she thought, was a bunch of Hollows and a worm, "Shouldn't we stop them?"

"Eh, let them be, they're having fun." Ichigo waved her hands off.

"What? What are you saying?!"

"Watch."

It becomes more apparent that those are Arrancars (and one Hollow, the worm) are playing around since they keep running in a circle non-stop. Ichigo has not thought of this before, since Hollows are very creatively shaped, they can be actors in a very silly TV show or movie to cut the CGI budget. If only human cameras can catch sight of paranormal activity that easily, there is a reason Fatal Frame is a game, not reality.

"Do you see that? I think they're looking at us!" "We're being spotted! We're being spotted!" "Should we keep running?" "Bawaaaaaa!"

They say that out loud, did not even try to whisper it. The chasing game stopped suddenly as if someone stepped on the brake of a car abruptly and all of their heads simultaneously turned at the humans from Karakura. They stare and the human pack stares back.

Chad decided to break the silence and say, "Hello."

 

The Hollow-based group screamed in four different kinds of high sopranos.

 

"Why are you people looking at us?! Perverts!" The child screamed again.

"Perverts? You say that like you're not the damn exhibitionist around here." Ichigo countered easily.

"Uh, Kurosaki, what are you doing?" Uryuu whispered.

"Playing along."

The 'child' stomped toward Ichigo and lowered the hood to reveal a cracked Hollow mask with some of its teeth missing. The most prominent feature of the 'child'-- Well, the 'little' girl is a puff of turquoise-colored hair, a large scar coming down from her forehead to her nose, and a crimson line that stretches horizontally across her face below her eyes.

"Who are you calling exhibitionist? We were happily playing our game of eternal tag before you people had the gal to stare at us!" The little girl pointed accusingly at Ichigo.

She didn't question what an exhibitionist is, which means she knows what it is. And a game of eternal tag? Sounds like someone trapped in eternal boredom.

"Happy? Your scream of joy sounded like crying."

"That's right! Because I'm an extreme masochist. It's not fun unless they chase me till I cry a little!"

Confident much. Yup, definitely not a child. Ichigo bowed low to meet the little Arrancar's eye, "Geez, what a boorish young lady you are to be saying inappropriate stuff like that." At least keep your taste to yourself, "Who are you, people?"

"I'm Nel Tu! I'm an Arrancar!" Nel posed.

"I'm Nel's big brother, Pesche." The skinny Arrancar, now dubbed Pesche, posed.

"And I'm Nel's big brother, Dondochakka." The wide-bodied Arrancar, now dubbed Dondochakka, also posed.

They gestured together to the Hollow sandworm, "This is our pet, Bawabawa!"

"Bawaaaa!" Bawabawa posed the best his cylindric body can do.

"TOGETHER WE KJEF@$RRRA!#$AIEKJSFt#!"

It is garbled in the guest's ears because they did not say it at the same time. Guess they did not recite it that often.

 

An interesting thing Ichigo perceived from Nel's being was the sound of galloping. Unlike Ulquiorra, who smelled like the sea, Nel does not smell like anything in particular; none of his companions are, not even Grimmjow. This makes Ulquiorra's case even more intriguing and Ichigo cannot help her suspicion of him. Why would someone who lived at Hueco Mundo for his entire life smell like the sea?

 

As an exchange, the Karakura Gang introduce themselves to the Hollow group. Quite bland in comparison since they do not have trademark poses.

"Itchygo why are you dressing like a Soul Reaper?" Nel asked

Sure kid, go butcher my name the way your heart's content, "That's because I'm sort of a Soul Reaper too."

Nel's group took quite a minute to process that...

"AAAAAH, SHE'S A SOUL REAPER, SHE'S GONNA KILL US!!!!!"

Just what the Hell is wrong with these folks, honestly? 

"I'm not going to kill you," Ichigo said. Nel's group still screaming, "Look, why don't you run around in a circle again to cool your head off?"

"Oh, great idea!" Nel agreed, recovering way too fast from thinking the Reaper in front of her was going to kill her.

What a simpleton.

 

Everyone feels the sand shift beneath their feet, at first they thought it was the wind, except the wind is rather calm that day. They watched small grains of sand start to rose and tower them.  It is a Hollow that has a large, grey body and is made from sand. His arms are long, with the forearms being much thicker than his upper arms. The head resembles a sand castle, while his Hollow hole is in the center of his chest. He wears a low-slung cloth around his waist and decorated bracelets on both wrists.

"I received a message from Las Noches that intruders have entered. You trash bugs are connected to the intruders!" The sand Hollow rumbled.

"What, no! We-" Nel tried to defend her case.

"You won't be forgiven! I, the Guardian of the White Sands Runuganga shall be the one to punish you!" The sand Hollow roared and the sand around him rose.

"Wow, this place is filled with jesters." Ichigo got the gall to snigger, "Hey, Sandman! Why don't you relay my message to Aizen? Tell him to go fuck himself!"

"Kurosaki!" Uryuu spluttered.

"Ichigo!" Tatsuki flabbergasted.

Ignoring her friends' panic, Ichigo's head briefly flicked to the side, recognizing two familiar presences. She smiled and crouched beside Nel to continue to tease the little Arrancar, "You know, while I'm not that enthused about ending your life..."

 

"TSUGI NO MAI! HAKUREN!"

 

A blast of ice freezes the sand Hollow, stopping the attack it was going to enact. Everyone spots two figures in black wearing pale brown cloaks; a petite woman wielding a familiar white sword and a tall man with crimson hair tied in a spike.

"What about those two? They're REAL Soul Reapers you know," Ichigo beckoned to the newly arrived Rukia Kuchiki and Renji Abarai.

Nel's group screamed again, then Pesche passed out. Nel shouts 'No, Pesche! Don't leave us!'; a croak of 'Carry on my legacies...'; the Bawabawa crying 'Bawawawawawawawa', and the Dondochakka started to do a eulogy for his fallen friend.

It is interesting that they automatically do cheap theater shows when there are newcomers. They must be really bored.

Chad turned to his best friend in deep understanding, "I see why you playing along with them."

"I told you this place is filled with jesters," Ichigo rolled her eyes and clapped her hand to gain the Arrancar's attention, "That's enough. Once again I'll make it clear that we're not here to kill you. Relax." She faced the two Soul Reapers who are now beside her, "Right? Rukia, Renji? You two are not going to kill them right?"

Rukia and Renji stumped at the show as the small band of Arrancars flexed before them.

"Uh, kill what...? What do you mean?" Renji tried to grasp what is going on.

"Right? Please don't kill us, Ice Lady, we'll be good," Nel approached Rukia, tears flowing like a river, and snot dripping from her nose. Her tiny hands grasped at the edge of Rukia's cloak, "Nel promise to be a good girl."

Rukia awkwardly patted the tiny Arrancar, "O-Okay, we're not going to kill you. Please stop crying."

Ichigo started to scuttle away from the two Soul Reapers with the provided distraction. She was able to take three meters away from them before Rukia and Renji looked as if just being blasted by thunder. Damn, they snapped out of it. Time to bail!

"Ichigo, you idiot! Why did you enter Hueco Mundo on your own? Why didn't wait for me to return?!" Rukia's nails are out, attempting at least to get a scratch out of Ichigo's being, "Renji help me out!"

"Hey, not fair asking your boyfriend to help you out!" To Ichigo's delight, Renji's blushed. Haha, gotcha!

"My boy- Ugh! Stop trying to distract me and let me eviscerate you!" Rukia snarled.

"Why are you getting mad at me for? I did say I'll see you on the other side, not I'll wait for you at Urahara Shop. Besides you're making too much scene in front of your Commander. My deepest apologies, Captain-Commander...but I cannot obey that order." Ichigo mimicked the word Rukia's word that was uttered back at Orihime's apartment, "Are you trying to lose your job?! My point is clandestine! What's the point of sneaking away when you're telling your superiors!"

This time it is Ichigo and Rukia who are running around in a circle on Hueco Mundo's abundance of white sand.

"I don't think no one ever tells their superiors when they're going to do something stupid," Renji said in a way too matter-of-factly, "Still, Ichigo why didn't you wait for us? Rukia and I planned it from the start!" 

"Excuse me, have you known the type of people you're being surrounded by?" Ichigo drawled lazily, her legs kept running, "Wait in vain and we'll go bananas! Except you Ishida, you freakin oddball!" Uryuu did not reply back but the vein on his forehead meant he is ticked, "Okay, seriously. I get the message Rukia. We're allies. We're friends. Best friends forever. So, can we let's move on and-Woah!

 

Ichigo lose her footing because the sand suddenly rose again, shaping itself into... Runugangga? Wasn't he frozen?

 

"Oh, Runugangga! We thought you were dead!" Ichigo turned her head at the supposed ice status Runugangga courtesy of Rukia. On cue, the ice statue falls apart from being devoid of mass inside it, "Great, you're alive! Did you relay my message to Aizen to go-"

"DON'T SPEAK LORD AIZEN'S NAME WITH YOUR FILTHY MOUTH!"

Ichigo dramatically sighed, "I can't help it. I have a mouth, unfortunately." She heard her friends screaming for her name. Geez, what is with people saying her name today? Actually, what is with me today? I don't have a clue. She shrugged and takes out her sword from its scabbard, brandishing it at Runugangga with one hand, "Sand Guardian, while Poseidon does quiver before you, I'm about to make you quiver before me... Eeeeyeeeah, on second thought, that sounds funnier only in my head."

Runugangga swipes his huge fist to create a tornado with momentum and Ichigo runs toward it. Heads on.

"Ichigo what are you doing?!" Rukia shouted.

Ichigo kept dashing forward, thinning the proximity between her and the tornado. It is a weak tornado, so she easily dispersed it with a horizontal slash, after that is done, she keeps marching forward toward Runungangga.

"FOOL!" The Sand Hollow roared.

"Fool? Don't guess too fast there, buddy," Dodging some sand-throwing-based attacks, Ichigo arrives at the bottom of the sand Hollow's body, kicked it, and when her feet do not sink, she starts scaling him. Runungangga tried to snatch Ichigo away akin to an ant that starts crawling over a human. Because of his size, his movement is slow. Ichigo stabbed right in the middle of his body and the blade of her sword glowed blue, "For someone who has an innate ability to manipulate the sand, you're not that clever at doing it. Sorry about this."

A burst of lightning bursts at the other side of the massive body, it does not take long for it to start to melt into a mound of sand. At the end of the mound are a small Adjuchas with a head shaped like a cobra, his Hollow hole located at his stomach, and a scorched mark by the Ichigo's lightning on his chest. He then disappeared into particles as per usual of a Hollow death.

There is something tiny solid rock formed around the sand mound, Ichigo picked it up to examine it. Oh, it's glass. Who would have thought Hueco Mundo's sand consisted of lechatelierite or iron oxide? The more you know.

"You... You killed Runungangga. How?"

Ichigo faces a gaped Nel, "Well, nobody can actually form themselves purely out of the earth, fire, water, or wind unless there's a core. In this case, the core is a person who has the ability to control sand and clothe himself around it... He's not your friend or anything right?"

"... No."

"Great!" Ichigo sheathed her sword, "Alright, enough chit-chat. Let's not keep Orihime waiting too long."

"Wait!" Orihime's rescue team stopped in their tracks and turned to Nel. The little Arrancar sniffed in an attempt to withhold her running snot, "Take us with you! We're already traitors when we're spotted by Runugangga. Maybe since long before that Lord Aizen might have foreseen it. Lord Aizen is not the type of person who would forgive that and if he did, the S'pada wouldn't. If you didn't take us we're just gonna get killed here!"

"And if we don't take you?" Ichigo cocked her head to the side.

"I'll cry!" Nel stated.

"Then go cry."

Everyone immediately stared at Ichigo in disbelief, they did not expect her to be mercilessly stern at a young child like that. For all they know, she usually has a soft spot for children. Sure enough, Nel started to cry and curse Ichigo with several profanities ranging from a dumbass, meanie, ugly, shithead, and so on...

"Limp dick!" Nel bawled.

"I don't have a dick."

"Virgin!"

"If only you know the truth." Ichigo's stern expression never deterred, "Fine we'll take you only if you stop whining."

"Really?" Nel beamed, "We can ride Bawabawa to go there! Let's go Bawabawa, we're on a business!"

Nel's group enthusiastically gets themselves on their Hollow sandworm pet, saying things about who got on it last are rotten innards of an obese Vasto Lorde. How does Hollow even get obese? Through their cannibalism tendency or Soul overconsumption? 

Ichigo let out a heavy sigh, "We're all gonna die."

 


 

Meanwhile in Karakura City...

 

In front of Kisuke are the Kurosaki twin; Karin and Yuzu. How did they end up in the shop was based on a promise he swore to their older sister since her younger sisters are spiritually aware. Aware but took a different way to develop. Both of their spiritual power is mild, however, Karin's development is more apparent while Yuzu's is inert. Karin is an empath and she spiritually can feel any Spiritual Being's wavelength of emotion; Yuzu is not completely devoid of spiritual senses, she can see Spiritual Beings in a blur, and she has yet to discover what she was going to do with it. 

It is interesting that Karin develops a psychic-based ability which is quite rare and it is part of the reason for Ichigo's hesitation of going home since the last time she did Karin was hit like a freight train from whatever she felt from her older sister. Ichigo had to teach Karin meditation so she can stop her power to project involuntarily, if not, Karin was going to get overwhelmed by literally everything around her.

Yuzu actually has a fairly normal spiritual aptitude growth for humans and it will get even stronger someday. Ichigo showed her different types of how to channel spiritual power through different disciplines, there was no actual training whatsoever, yet. Somehow, Yuzu had taken an interest in creating talismans.

They are not powerhouses like their older sister but Karin and Yuzu had active Reiryoku since birth. If they grew up in the Shiba compound, such things have to be honed, not left out of control. What is Isshin thinking? Pretending as if his twin little girls are born absolutely normal humans. Screw the fact that Isshin's a Soul Reaper and Masaki's Quincy; does the man think a baby born out of two spiritually sensitive humans who has no connection to ANY spiritual faction would have been normal? 

Kisuke never addresses the matter since Isshin already pressed that nothing is wrong with his children, also the lingering guilt he has toward the Kurosaki family makes him feel everything he says to them is intruding. Even when Ichigo already gave him permission, he still felt unworthy of taking care of her younger sisters.

But Ichigo needs help. Her father's choice to not give his children guidance is stressing her up and she could not always be around her younger sisters. 

"Well, Kurosaki... Hmm, this is going to be a problem. There's four of you after all," Kisuke tapped his chin with his unfolded fan.

"Kurosaki-san is our sister. Just call us Karin and Yuzu," Karin said with a bored tone.

Kisuke noted the 'Kurosaki-san is our sister'. True that he did not call Isshin by his surname-by-marriage but to think the twin knew that Ichigo is the only Kurosaki family he addressed respectfully. Children today are sharp enough to spot the hierarchy. 

Scary.

"Very well. Your sister requested me to guide you two with the development of your spiritual power. Karin-san, your meditation needs work, Kurosaki-san said you often get distracted. Yuzu-san, you showed interest in creating talismans, if you choose to pursue it thoroughly, I recommend you start practicing calligraphy."

Yuzu looks at Kisuke quizzically and lifts up her forefinger like a student who puts their hands up in class, "Did you rehearse that or Nee-chan made you say that?"

"No. It's the conclusion I pull from the report your sister gave to me," Kisuke pulled out a stack of paper fastened by a clipper from his haori sleeve.

"She made a report about us? This is-" Karin picked up the report, "This is...oddly specific. Wow, Yuzu, Ichigo-nee wrote down 'suggested studying knife throwing if she wants to'. Did she pull this conclusion of your keen relationship with the kitchen knife?"

"I honestly don't know," Yuzu shrugged.

Kisuke noted the twins' tonal speaking sounded quite mature and cleared his throat, "Let's get started then. Karin-san can you describe to me the incident about you fainting after feeling whatever you feel from your older sister in your own words?"

"She just walks past our bedroom's front door, I didn't even see her, and the next thing I know I already passed out. What I feel was indescribable, it's like a white paper and you started to draw intangible things with a pen."

"Nothing hurt? Headache or heartburn, perhaps?"

"None, I just blacked out." 

Kisuke hummed nonchalantly, "How about you Yuzu-san? Notice anything different with your sister, with an above-average spiritual aptitude you have, sensitive or not, there should be something different when you pass a Spiritual Being."

Yuzu is quiet for a moment, "... Tall. Not because she's taller than us, it's more like... I don't know, she just felt tall."

"Like a skyscraper tall?"

"... I suppose," Yuzu said unsurely.

It gives zero factual impression about Ichigo's power but it was powerful enough to send Karin into defense (even if she did not realize it), telling her body to 'shut down' so her clairsentience would not process any further information. Since it only happened once and the report said Karin needs to work on her meditation, meaning Ichigo has perfect control over her power. Also, tall? Does not really explain anything. Karin's power is also not the same as Ichigo's ability to perceive her surrounding in a completely different meaning, and it translated to her whole five senses. While sounded like someone having synesthesia, Shinji did ask her once if those abilities are natural and she said no, those abilities are learned. What makes her able to learn it however is the one that is natural, although she did not tell Shinji what that is because it is considered improper to flaunt it.

Karin's power is natural. The other limb within her spiritual power. Empathic is a rare trait in the clairsentience ability because it naturally hooks an unseen matter called emotion. Clairaudient is a clairsentience trait that extended to the hearing senses but that does not mean the one who has it can interpret the emotion within the voice, untrained clairaudients are just hearing things. Emphatic naturally conveys the meaning behind the information it receives.

Yuzu is a literal bud, she is free from being born of an abundance of Reiryoku nor having a special or rare trait. There is no rush for her. What makes her rushing was her inferiority toward her elder siblings. Still, this does not mean Kisuke is free of the dilemma. Is it wise to give her a lot of spiritual viewing of many kinds of spiritual discipline? He had no idea, that is why he is glad Ichigo gave her a preliminary report.

"Okay, let's work on your meditation Karin-san," Kisuke turned to Yuzu, "And Yuzu-san, do you want to study calligraphy or as your Kurosaki-san puts it, 'suggested knife throwing if she wants to'?"

"I think I'll take calligraphy first," Yuzu said.

Kisuke noted again. She said calligraphy first which means she does have an interest in knife throwing.

He then sees Karin nudge Yuzu with her elbow and she got an ugly look for that. Karin shakes her head and Yuzu groans, crossing her hands in annoyance.

... What was that silent conversation about? 

 


 

 

When Orihime is finally shown the Hōgyoku by Aizen, she can feel the tremendous power of the seemingly harmless marble. After coming back from Soul Society, they still have a few weeks before the summer vacation ends, Ichigo made them train to understand their powers and to understand where their power came from, she also explained that their power did not awaken solely because they are mingling around her, if so, then the whole student body of Karakura High School should have developed some sort of power too. This comes down to the ultimate rule; Nothing is ever that simple.

When she said it does not matter where their power came from unless they use it to help each other Ichigo called her foolish and scold her to never again view problems with one perspective. It does not matter what they used it for but power is power. Having powers does make them special, instead, it makes them responsible. Knowing why they have it and how it awakened was the reason why they are what they are.

 

"When you realize what you are in the eyes of your enemy. Accept it. Because in a way, it is also the truth. You can be angry or disappointed about it. When that's done, avoid your fatal flaw, and keep living on. For it's a scary world out there."

 

It makes Orihime wonders if Ichigo always knew Aizen's views toward them, humans that are successful awaken their power when the Hōgyoku is in the near vicinity. They are not special. They are lab rats.

Aizen's lab rats.

"...momentary awakenings, it has deteriorated slightly, but it definitely moving towards a complete awakening..."

Sure enough despite her half-listening-half-not-paying-attention attitude, Orihime felt angry and disappointed. The reason why she has power was because of the manipulation of an omnipotent tool. Granted when she and her friends were at their weakest moment, clouded with feelings of powerlessness and uselessness. 

"...-aking Arrancar and the Ōken. Without the Hōgyoku, I can't achieve either. Please think of me showing this to you as a testament to my trust in you..."

Suddenly Orihime does not feel like her wish was granted at all.

"...To negate the very things that happen and to annihilate events themselves. It is an incredible power. And I need your power..."

Shut up. Orihime refused to hear when Aizen uttered her name.

"You will use that power of yours for me, won't you?"

 

... Won't I?

 

There was no way Aizen showed Orihime the Hōgyoku because he trust her. She knew that. The only person Aizen trust is himself. He is manipulating her to think that there is something she can do. Also, the way he described her power, is that really how her power works? To negate the very things that happen and to annihilate events themselves.

Annihilate events. Orihime could restore Grimmjow's hand because 'the absence of his hand' was an event, she 'reject' something that was absent from him.

But Hōgyoku is not an event, it is an existence. Nothing is absent from it.

To reject an existence? To kill? Is that even possible? The Hōgyoku is not a person, it is an omnipotent tool. Aizen used it to make Arrancars and the Ōken. To awaken her and her friend's power. If it is an 'event' she looking for then an 'event' of its birth. Quite possibly she had to be in that very moment where Hōgyoku was created and reject the process of its creation. For it is already completed, she can never return the Hōgyoku to a state before it existed... Can she?

"Tsubaki, come out," Orihime ordered. Tsubaki, her only Shun Shun Rikka's offensive spirit manifested before her, "Can I return the Hōgyoku to a state before it existed?"

"It's 'reject' not 'return'," Tsubaki said tersely, very annoyed to state the obvious, "Don't be callous, you think you can reject the thing that gives us, the Shun Shun Rikka, an existence? Then again, even if you can..."

"Even if I can..."

"What price you are willing to pay? Everything has a consequence."

Orihime's heartbeats are loud in her ear. What price she is willing to pay? Has she forgotten Ichigo's lesson about the ultimate rule? She swallows her bile, Nothing is ever that simple. Which means... "Is my life enough to reject the Hōgyoku?"

"Oh, so you want to fuck around and find out whether your life is worth it? You know Aizen created it, right, he can always make another one."

What is the weight of life in the view of an omnipotent tool? Orihime hates this. She can feel her whole body starting to tremble with fear and bit her lip till it bleeds. 

She felt hot tears running down her cheeks. This is not fair. None of this is fair!

... Just like her brother's death.

Ah, I remembered something...

 

"What does it have to be that day...am I selfish?"

"No, I don't think so, it's-" Ichigo closed her eyes solemnly, "It's how life works, I guess."

 

Orihime wiped her tears. Grow up, me. There is something she can do. She can get stronger here. Now. 

"Shun Shun Rikka, come to me."

The other spirits of Shun Shun Rikka other than Tsubaki manifested before her; Ayame, Baigon, Hinagiku, Lily, and Shun'ō; they are all silent as if waiting for Orihime's conviction.

Her hand found a purchase on her heart, "Everyone, I beg you. Please, lend me your power." 

"Then you are resolved," Tsubaki's voice is as firm as a stone.

 


 

Ichigo cannot believe this will be the moment she started losing patience. Of all the Espada she encountered why did it have to be the dancing one?! She did not come back from gallivanting around multiple Singularities and destroying Lostbelts just so she can watch an Arrancar start dancing the Tango in front of her. This is worse than Ikkaku with his ‘Lucky Dance’ and, to be honest, the Tango is not even that good!

When the gang arrived at the main castle by blowing up the wall, they are greeted by six crossroads. Six crossroads and there are six fighters (Nel's group does not count), that cannot be a coincidence. It is obvious this place is rigged! They got into an argument about splitting up or not.

It is not about Ichigo does not trust her comrades to not be able to fight. Heck, it is not the fighting she was worried about. She was worried mostly about Aizen's underhanded tactics!

Who cares about the dogs being far more ferocious than their master, they are being used anyway.

And Ichigo cannot forget about Nel. How can she not?! When the tiny Arrancar is dangling on her leg. Crying to those of a petulant child! Oh, what to do, what to do. She brought her palm together and took a deep breath.

Ichigo pulled Nel's ear.

"Aaaaaaaah, Itchygo whyyyyyy?" Nel whined.

"Go to the corner, you're grounded! If you don't stop whining again I'm going to leave you for real this time!"

"But-!"

"Don't test me, young lady," Ichigo would not be too sure about the 'young lady' part though. She may be old but Nel could be older. Oh well. "Now go to the corner and wait till I'm done, you understand?" She got a weak nod, "Good."

It is a hallway, so there is no actual corner but Nel makes it work by going to the edges of a pillar and staying there with her back turned. Ichigo and the Tango Arrancar can hear occasional sobbing from her.

Ichigo turned to her opponent, not forgetting to give him a polite smile, "I'm sorry about that. Where were we?"

"... mujer malvada." The Arrancar whispered.

Ichigo smile faltered, "Dije ¿dónde estábamos? tu hombre grosero."

"... You speak Spanish?"

"sin mierda."

The Arrancar then dead ass cleared his throat. No...he wouldn't. Ichigo tried her best not to sigh. Here she thought the Arrancar has lost his mojo. Here we go...

"Soul Reaper, prepare yourself! I'm Arrancar number one hundred and three, Dordoni Alessandro Del Socaccio! Shall have the pleasure of crushing you!"

Is everyone here loves doing poses? Must be the effect of Hueco Mundo's eternal boredom.

"Alright, nice to meet you."

"You see those who have three digits number- Wait what? Nice to meet me?" Dordoni walked closer to Ichigo, he bent his body low so he can stare straight into her eyes, "Señorita, you can't seriously be running around here with such fighting spirit. You have a death wish."

Ichigo widens slightly, then she scoffed, "I have a death wish?" She took a few steps back, turned her body slightly to the side, and kicked up her leg in a tempo as if throwing dirt at him. A smirk formed, "Are you sure you're not the one who has a death wish for choosing to dance with me?"

 

In a flash, Dordoni was shocked to see Ichigo was able to block his kick with another kick and the fact that she was able to match his speed. They broke away to get some distance.

 

Ichigo eases her land with a graceful spin and came up with the idea of indulgence since Dordoni loves dancing that much. With the speed of lightning, she appeared in front of him, and hook both of her arms on his shoulders. She set her left leg to slide low in between his leg. Lower, lower, and lower. Never brake eye contact with him.

When she got up, she slapped Dordoni's stunned face and walk away from him in a sultry manner of a Latin dancer, "Straight from the bordellos of Buenos Aires to the Hippodrome of Las Noches," Swaying both of her hands in a bravado, Ichigo circled back as she pulled grab her katana and take an iai stance, "Shall we?"

 


 

"You've gone quiet Gin." 

Tōsen's voice snaps Gin out of his attention from one of the screens in the corridor control room.

"I... yeah," Gin said intelligently. You're so lucky yer' blind Tōsen that ya don't have ta' see what I see

Did he witness Ichigo Kurosaki trying to seduce Dordoni? Goodness!

He does not expect the girl to be able to do something that scandalous! Wait, hold on...she is sixteen, right? Is this how a teenage human girl acts nowadays? Gin felt like he is missing something because now he saw the two fight normally. Like with brute force as if the two were not just flirting with each other a few minutes ago.

What is going on?!

 


 

Dordoni impression of Ichigo is one.

She is a Beast.

He cannot put a single scratch on her, nor he can match her speed or her tempo. Ichigo was not even in her Bankai yet. To be honest, it is exhilarating. As he once was part of the Espada Aizen's army, he had his fair share of fights, including the reason why he became a Privaron Espada. He lose but the fight was memorable. To think there is someone that is actually stronger than him, even if their growth was sped up the Hōgyoku.

Indeed, it was not fair. It is what it is like to live at Hueco Mundo and be part of Aizen's army. In their home, survival is the fittest.

Fighting Ichigo reminded him of the fight that made him lose his rank. She carries the same grace her past opponent had. Her reactions are keen and her defense is flawless. The way she swings her weapon was deadly and beautiful.

Dordoni has to pull out his Zanpakutō, to block Ichigo's jab as she manages to put him in a pinch, "Señorita, your prowess is impressive. Tell me your secret." 

"That's a high request, I'm afraid you have to earn it~"

Dordoni shivered for a second. There is something about Ichigo that felt different, something that made him feel like a cornered animal. He thought he was the vulture here but no, there is a bigger creature lurking around.

"I have my share of fights with a Soul Reaper over the years, and let me tell you, they have their pride. You don't have it," Dordoni narrowed his eyes, "The pride."

Ichigo hummed then a wide smile plastered on her face, "You're right, I don't."

 

Dordoni gets it now. He is no match for her. The something within her is on par with current Espada. She carries an essence of... of Death, but what kind of Death...?

He knew because of his previous fight a long time ago with--Well, the guy is dead, a Privaron Espada exists because they survived their demotion fight; it felt so much like fighting him again, being ensnared by his essence of death. It was horrifying. When he was awake, he does not know how he survived. 

He is going to lose and that is alright, he would not go down without a beautiful fight!

 

"Maware, Giralda!"

 

Dordoni is engulfed by a small tornado that disperses to reveal his Resurrección form. In this form, he gains large horns on his shoulders and armor that starts at his feet, wraps around his calves, and juts out at his waist with two more spikes. His mask also extends, framing his face. The sheer amount of wind Dordoni directed at Ichigo was only able to create a slice on her forearm.

Tch, that's it? Just a slice. maldito, she's tough!

Dordoni sends his cyclone vultures to chase after Ichigo. Is it an illusion in his eyes that she can soar better than his vultures? By the name of the Holy Mother, what is she? He fired a Cero at her to get her distracted and send one of his vultures straight to her being. He thought he had succeeded. His cyclone vulture hit Ichigo dead center, pinning her to the ceiling.

He saw a blue haori pass him, the cloth billowing innocently to the floor.

Then he saw a blur of black circling counter-clockwise of his cyclone vulture, descending toward him. For a second, he saw a pair of yellow eyes, rich red hair dancing in the air, and a shroud of black. Very much like the Haori, it passes him, this time swiftly.

He felt pain in his chess. She stabbed him dead center. How? What? When?

 

That was... Assassination.

 

Dordoni falls to the ground, clutching the wound on his chest; it is a type of wound that made you die slowly. His Hierro was active the whole time and Ichigo managed to pierce him. 

"What...what was that?" Dordoni coughed blood.

"My Bankai," Ichigo casually picked up her fallen haori and wore it.

"Your...Bankai? But I didn't sense an increase in Reiatsu!" And Dordoni still did not look any different than before, coated in Soul Reaper standard uniform. Nothing changed in the environment or her.

"I used it in three seconds and dismiss it immediately. And why there's no increase in Reiatsu? There is, only on the inside. What can I say I got a lot of practice in control. Kissing the ground pretty much a lot, courtesy of drill sergeants," Ichigo approached Dordoni, crouching so she can see him face to face, "Don't worry, you won't die. You're going into shock in three minutes and will be unconscious soon, when will you wake up is depending on your body's natural regeneration."

"Is that...what your Bankai do?"

"Not exactly, but if you know how to manipulate the energy within it, you can practically do anything with it."

... There is no increase in Reiatsu? There is, only on the inside.

"You focusing the outburst of the transformation...into your blade...and send it through me from the stab...?"

"Correcto Mundo!" Ichigo cheered, "A plus for you Señor!"

Dordoni laughed despite the increasing pain caused by it, "Everyone here has received the recordings of you and your allies' battles in the Human World, you're supposed to have a technique that brings you closer to a Hollow and explosively raises your combat abilities. I'll tell you, Aizen-dono was restless because you didn't meet his expectation until your altercation with Grimmjow...the yellow eyes."

"Hmm, are you satisfied that you finally saw it?"

"I did, they are gorgeous."

"What a flatter."

"Well, I tried. For I am Dordoni Alessandro Del Socaccio," Dordoni can feel his eyes becoming heavier, "Will you tell me your secret now, Señorita? It'll be...a nice bedtime story," Ichigo grabbed his body and lay him down on the floor so he can go into an unconscious state comfortably.

She chuckled at his humor, "A long time ago there was a battle. A battle to decide the Fate of the World. I survived this battle and the next month after that, I met a Soul Reaper, and once again, I'm thrown into a battle that led me here."

"... You came back and the next month of it you... Are you saying you're still high on the cry of battle?"

"Why yes, thank you for noticing. You're the first one whom I tell the gist of it."

"... What did you do in that battle of the Fate of the World?"

Ichigo bend low to whisper in Dordoni's ear and it was the last thing he heard before darkness claimed him.

"... I shot some Gods in the face."

 

...Oblivion.

That's what her Death feels like.

 

Ichigo tapped Dordoni on the forehead. He is out. Call her crazy but she thinks should bring him along, he seems like a great guy. And she can extract information from him. She decides to carry him...in bridal style.

"Nel, let's go! We need to move!"

Nel plopped from a hole created by Dordoni's cyclone, "It's over? That was fast?"

"I'm not the type to drone on. Come on, we don't have much-"

"Ichigo Kurosaki, I suggest you put that Arrancar down."

Ichigo turned around lazily to see an army of Arrancars. One stood in the front, the leader, he is distinguished by his bull-shaped skull, instead of the typical human-shaped skulls his subordinates wear.

"Guess, we're too late," She scratched her not-itchy neck, "Fine, I'll humor you. Why? Why should I put him down?"

"We're the Exequias. We are under orders to hunt down and execute the survivors. Dordoni has failed to do his duty therefore he must be executed," The Bull-headed Arrancar said.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, Aizen's own team of janitors. I suppose it makes sense when your house is a castle," Ichigo waves her hand offhandedly, "You know what? No. I don't think I'm going to hand Dordoni to you. You see, I'm holding him hostage." 

"Then I'm afraid we have to kill you." 

"Are you confident that you'll able to kill me?"

"I certainly am."

Ichigo snorted. Full of himself, isn't he?

She put Dordoni down again on the floor. She took off her haori and use it to cover Nel's sight, of course, the piece of garment is big enough to cover the tiny Arrancar as a whole, "Nel, promise me you won't peek. If you do I won't play with you anymore." Nel frantically nodded her head shouting her promise that she would not peek at all, "As for the peeping Tom..."

Ichigo pulled her sword and the scabbard from the belt where it was fastened, twirling it until its form extends and become a bow. She pulled the bowstring and a metallic arrow manifested out of thin air. She sees the Arrancar brace himself as if she was going to attack and laughed mockingly at him.

"Hasty, hasty, hasty. But it's not for you." 

She shot a seemingly empty space in the ceiling a few times.

The Bull-headed Arrancar stiffened at her actions, "You shot-"

"Yes, I shot the security cameras."

 


 

In the corridor control room, Gin's eyes are open, a flash in his brilliant icy blue eyes.

"She was able to spot the hidden cameras?"

He starts to generate the backup cameras for the room Ichigo is in. It will take ten minutes for it to be ready.

 


 

"That should suffice," Ichigo pulled the bowstring again, notched the arrow at one of the Bull-headed Arrancar's subordinate's head, "And that's my declaration of war for you."

"Prepare for your funeral," Bull-headed Arrancar pulled out his Zanpakutō.

Ichigo stopped and stares incredulously at him, "... You said that all the time didn't you? You know cause the group you lead is called Exequias. Which means funeral rites in Spanish?!"

He ignored her, "I'm Rudbornn Chelute, I will present your head to Lord Aizen."

"Sure, bud. Good luck with that."

 

"Hey, Ichigo how about we finish this in a flash? I know we're planning to appear low but... Well, it's Hueco Mundo, let's announce ourselves," Fray guided the bow to be held horizontally, "Once more, this time with more power. We're in a hurry!"

Ichigo closed her eyes and opened them with blazing yellow eyes.

"Now, let it soar, Ichigo!"

 

"Tenshūsoku Dakugyouten."

 

 

The quake is so great that the other Karakura Gang member and their opponents can feel the shake, Aizen, Gin, Tōsen, and the Espada. The whole citizen of Las Noches. The Reiatsu is Ichigo and somehow there is an edge of difference in it. Nel who was near Ichigo and who cannot see what was happening can feel it very thoroughly. Everything felt so bright and hot. Is it fire? No, it is not fire. She heard a roar and she could not distinguish what kind of roar it is.

What beast? What creature? There was a brief flapping sound. A bird? A dragon?

The quake made her fall off her feet and when the haori lifted up Nel sees Ichigo smiling. Behind her is complete destruction of the room and the spot where Ichigo once stood becomes a border of a section where it was not destroyed. The Bull-headed Arrancar is lying on the ground, his subordinates are nowhere in sight, and the horn on his masks are broken. 

"Is he... Is he dead?" Nel asked.

Ichigo patted the tiny Arrancar's head, "He won't bother anyone for a long time," She turned back and saw blood pooling from the Bull-headed Arrancar's abdomen. This Arrancar, his subordinates is an extension of himself. He used them to create a wall to block my attack... Unless he recovers, he won't be able to mitosis for a while. She also does not like the view she perceives from this guy.

A tree... 

Ichigo had enough of an evil tree because of the Lostbelts.

 


 

When the backup camera was finally up, all Gin saw was the absence of Ichigo, Dordoni, and the tiny Arrancar. He saw the broken figure of Rudbornn Chelute and judging by the severe destruction of the room...

"Did Rudbornn piss her off er' something?"

 


 

Somewhere else, Syazelapporo Granz clicked his tongue, "That Rudhornn, what a piece of garbage."

 

Notes:

Ichigo is old? Yes, it's not just time travel, it's also dimensional travel. In FFXIV, Thancred's soul is spirited away to the First, and while he spent there for five years his body in the Source is asleep for a few weeks/months. Ichigo is about...more or less, mentally 300 years old, she's not that innocent, she's CYNICAL! And poor Gin is clueless since she is not an actual teenager herself.
Ichigo and Dordoni's scene is inspired by Easy Virtue (2008) from the Tango dance scene. Latin dance is really that sexy and alluring, of course, it's not solely about flirting, both simply 'talking' in a different language.

While not in detail in the story, Ichigo's attack is based on Dancer level 90 Fan Dance IV, where you conjure a bird to attack. Here, she doesn't exactly conjure a bird but a winged creature, obscure whether it's a bird or a dragon.

mujer malvada: evil woman
Dije ¿dónde estábamos? tu hombre grosero: I said where were we? You rude man
sin mierda: No shit
maldito: damn