Actions

Work Header

Always block your phone

Summary:

One group chat. Three women. Lots of panic attacks and awkward conversations.

Angela will learn the horrors of leaving her phone behind unprotected.

Notes:

Hello!
The idea for this fic came from a post by @LuckyLadyLily and my insomnia. I'm not going to say what was that post about because it would be spoiler. Sorta. Idk.

A big shout out to LuckyLadyLily for the inspiration, proof reading and giving me the courage to post it.

This is my first time writing a fic! Hope you like it.

Hey, @kinaesthetique! Look! I'm contributing for this canoe of a ship!

Chapter 1: That’s my code name on your screen

Chapter Text

This was supposed to be her relaxing day off.

Well, as relaxing as the head (and only) doctor for a group of vigilantes can be, but still!
She has mentally prepared to just spend the day catching up with her friends and only respond to emergency calls. Maybe work on some paperwork. Having a panic attack caused by a text message was not in her plans.

Angela has been pacing in her office for at least 5 minutes after reading a text she received and waiting for her reply, her phone silently judging her from her desk. She has no idea how to handle this.

She could lie, create an excuse or say it was a prank perfectly calculated. After all, if she can handle the media that swarmed her in her hospital after the recall was made, she can surely deal with her closest friends… or so she thought.

Realizing she is delaying the inevitable (and that it was quite rude to ghost her) she picks up her phone and re-reads the texts in the group chat that Fareeha created minutes ago. The group consisted of Fareeha, Satya and her. It didn’t have a name, so at first she thought it was just for going out for lunch with the two of them. She wonders if that’s the case in other reality.

Satya left the group a couple of seconds after Fareeha brought the main reason for the group. “ Smart move. And really smooth too .” Angela thought.

Sighing, Angela reads the last text and starts typing;

[Fareeha 11:35 AM] “I’m just… curious…”

[Angela 11:42 AM] “Well… about that...”

------- 

It was 07 Am on the clock when Angela arrived at the headquarters kitchen to prepare a good cup of coffee to finally wake her up. She has no doubt that someone has cursed her to be an early bird when she was born, no matter how exhausted she was the night before. Very slowly she started to prepare her and Satya’s breakfast.

Satya, on the other hand, was up and ready since 06 Am, something Vishkar made sure all their employees practiced and it stuck on her. Satya didn’t mind though. She enjoyed having the gym section practically empty for her to practice yoga in peace. Her schedule every morning was simple; yoga, shower and then breakfast with Angela. She followed it to the letter and it always amazed Angela how punctual she was.

While she was preparing their breakfast, Angela got a message from Satya. It wasn’t a direct message per se but from the group chat they created. They were the only group members and they have no plan on inviting anyone else.

The point of the group was… personal. For some, it would make no sense to have a group chat with only two participants but Satya and Angela decided it was the best for chatting only there about… a particular topic.

[Satya 07:10 AM] “Black tank top. Black shorts… leg day.”

This woke Angela up faster than coffee and didn’t waste a second.

[Angela 07:10 AM] “Pictures?”

[Satya 07:11 AM] “No, Angela. We discussed this. I don’t feel comfortable taking pictures and you shouldn’t be asking for them. I’m heading to the showers now.”

[Satya 07:11 AM] “…”

[Satya 07:11 AM] “Leg press…”

[Angela 07:12 AM] “I swear one day I will be able to corrupt you enough for you to take pictures”

She didn’t get an answer back. “ Damn Satya’s moral principles .” Angela thought with a smirk.

The group pretty much consisted in the two of them thirsting for Fareeha. Satya only wrote key words of her sightseeing, while Angela was more descriptive and detailed. A couple of times she shared some pictures she managed to discreetly take. This stopped after Satya let it clear how wrong it was and how uncomfortable it made her. In hindsight it was creepy so Angela deleted all those pictures.

However sometimes Satya’s words were too much to leave it only to the imagination. Angela was only a woman after all.

The group name was not subtle at all. It was crass even. It surprised Angela that not only Satya accepted it but also contributed to it.

I am really horny for Pharah right now… buff lady …”

The first part was Angela’s 48hs sleep deprived accidental message to Satya. The second part was Satya’s answer after 30 minutes of silence.

After an awkward and long talk, they finally came clean to each other. It felt nice to have someone to talk about this instead of bottling it up as usual. They also admitted that they would never do something about their crush on Fareeha. Something about work, schedules, responsibilities and so on… when in reality they were terrified of what could happen if they confessed to her. So they contented themselves with just having a sad but entertaining group chat.   

Just when Angela finished serving their breakfast, Satya entered the kitchen and joined her at one of the round tables. They enjoyed each other's company and their small talks, never talking about the contents of the group chat in the open. Sometime later Fareeha came in and joined them with a cup of coffee.

Breakfast was the best part of the day for all of them. Angela enjoyed having a moment of peace and idle chat, Satya always felt at ease with them and Fareeha just loved their company.

Fareeha is an easy going person, she has a friendly relationship with everyone in Overwatch but Angela and Satya were the company she always sought for. Angela was her old acquaintance and later best friend when they reunited again. Satya… she never thought she would end up becoming friends with the architect.

When Fareeha heard that an ex-employee of Vishkar was joining she had her reservations. However, the day Satya arrived and presented herself, Fareeha knew they would be alright. Her idealism and desire to help those who can’t help themselves made her feel close to the woman.

Fareeha and Satya were having a deep conversation while Angela was lost in her thoughts.

This is nice. No missions, no screams, no gunshots, no “I swear Luv, that wall wasn’t there when I blinked”. Only a relaxing day awaits me .” Angela thought while sipping her coffee. “ And this morning started so well! It has been a while since Fareeha joined us for breakfast. I wonder if she has a free schedule too .” Just at that moment Angela recalled what Satya’s wrote in the group. Unconsciously her eyes wandered to Fareeha’s lap. She changed her gym clothes and now was wearing a blue trouser that matched her blue T-shirt. Angela felt a little disappointed about not being able to check… “ Wait, what? ” Angela quickly averted her eyes and cleared her mind. “ I will NOT think about this with Fareeha present. It’s… it’s wrong! Just focus on breakfast, Angela. We are just three friends enjoying a healthy breakfast. Three friends which two have a big crush on the third…

While Angela tried to clear her head her eyes caught a glimpse of Fareeha’s biceps. Her T-shirt accentuated Fareeha’s muscles and Angela was appreciating every move she did. It took Fareeha a second time calling her name for Angela to realize her two friends were looking at her.

Angela’s panic and cup of coffee helped her to hide any possible blush. Quickly making eye contact,  Angela responded “Hm? Oh sorry, I was lost in thought. What were you saying Fareeha?” Satya fished for her phone and started typing.

“I was saying that today I will be leaving for an oversea mission. I won’t be around here for a couple of days and wanted to know if you needed anything from me before I go.” Fareeha said.

Before Angela could answer, her phone vibrated. Taking a quick look at Satya she saw the woman was no longer holding her device and was stoically looking at Angela. “Uh, no, Fareeha, thank you. I have the day off and I plan to take the best out of it, so I will be lazing around trying to do nothing.” Angela answered with a smile while quickly glancing at Satya who still looked like a marble statue. “ ok, what did you send me?” she thought.

“You? Lazing around? HA! Come on, Angela. We have known each other for decades and I never saw you “lazing” around. We both know that a day off is just paperwork day.” Fareeha said with a little laugh.

Finally Angela blushed a little. She hated to be predictable and was aware that her last days off ended up in her office working uninterrupted and sleeping on her desk.

“Well, then I guess that I will have to prove you wrong today.” Angela said with a smirk and haughty tone. Once again she caught Satya typing on her phone. “ I refuse to check the messages. I just know whatever she is writing will only make me blush harder. ” Angela thought, casting a quick glance at Satya.

“Well doctor, let me help you with that. I will do your dishes for you. And since I’m at it I will do yours too, Satya.” Fareeha said with a wink while getting up and starting to pick up the dishes.

Angela felt a little joy at seeing Satya blush this time.

Getting up, Satya said “I know you well enough to know that trying to change your mind is futile. So thank you, Fareeha.” Said woman just smiled and gathering the dishes walked to the sink.

“Now, if you excuse me, I will take my leave. There are several blueprints that I want to finish today.” With this Satya bid her farewells and left the kitchen.

Angela on the other hand refused to let this happen. “Now, Fareeha, a couple of dishes won’t ruin my day. You just take care of your cup and I will do the rest.” Angela said while walking to the sink.

“Ah ah, doctor, you once told me that taking a day off and letting others take charge from time to time was part of a healthy work life. It is time you follow your own advice” Fareeha leaned a little to the left to block Angela from the sink.

“Ugh, Fareeha just-“

“Nope!” Fareeha interrupted the doctor and didn’t budge. “If you want you can keep me company. Go and sit, rest those feet.” She said nodding with her head.

It was too early for this, Angela really didn’t want to argue on her day off, even if it was just a friendly banter with Fareeha. “Fine! But don’t request medical assistances if you cut yourself with… spoons.” Hearing Fareeha’s laugh really lifted Angela’s spirits.

With Fareeha distracted on the dishes, Angela checked her phone once she sat again.

[Satya 08:19 AM] “Careful, Angela. You’re ogling.”

[Satya 08:20 AM] “The water dispenser is just a few feet away from our position. It can help you with your thirst.” 

[Satya 08:20 AM] “Want me to get you a glass of water? You need to stay hydrated, Angela”

Angela’s face was burning. Looking up from her device she saw Fareeha’s back, still focusing on the dishes.

[Angela 08:25 AM] “Oh don’t you sass me, miss! It’s not my fault Fareeha has her body sculpted by the goddesses themselves!

[Angela 08:25 AM] “I have no idea how you can keep your eyes from wandering.”

Angela couldn’t help but smile at this. She was the only one to see Satya's sassy side and was happy that she felt comfortable enough to be like that around her.

[Satya 08:26 AM] Order, Angela. I keep my thoughts, desires and priorities in order.”

[Satya 08:26 AM] “Also I had my fill this morning.”

Angela let a little huff escape her lips. “ Now that’s not fair.” Angela thought while blushing harder at the imagines that started to form in her head.

Everything alright?” Fareeha asked looking over her shoulder with a raised eyebrow.
“Oh! Yes, yes, everything is alright.” That caught Angela out off guard. She quickly closed the message app and decided it would be for the best to read one of her many reports she needed to check. This would keep her mind busy.

“So, Fareeha, where are you going exactly? I’m sorry but my head was in another place during breakfast.”

“Ah, actually I didn’t say. I just told Satya I was leaving and asked you both if you needed something. I guess I sidetracked when I finally got your attention. You distract me, doctor.” Fareeha said with a short laugh. Angela, though, didn’t share the laugh and had her eyes burning holes on Fareeha’s back. She was praying that the woman didn’t turn around because if she was blushing due Satya’s tease then now she must look like a tomato.

She started mindlessly to slide her phone screen from one side to another, not doing anything in particular while thinking what she should say. “ God dammit, Fareeha. Flirting? Really? Are you trying to kill me? Wait, is she flirting? Was that flirt or just a friendly tease?”

None of the two said anything for a while. Angela was about to break the silence but a voice from the heavens interrupted her. Well, actually it was Athena from one of the kitchen’s speakers.

Athena : “ Dr. Ziegler, I apologize for interrupting your morning but two agents are in need of your services .”

Hearing Athena's voice while she was drowning in her own thoughts startled Angela, making her juggle with her phone until it fell on the table. “Whu, what? What? Ah! It’s ok Athena. Please tell me the situation and the gravity of such.”

Athena : “ … Both agents asked me to release as little information as possible… but for the sake of their wellbeing I will ignore that command. Agents Tracer and Mcree bet who could win in an arm wrestling match. Agent Tracer used her Chronal accelerator to blink and use that force to win the match. She did. Agent Tracer also dislocated agent Mcree’s shoulder, tripped with her chair and hit her face on the wall in the process.”

Fareeha stopped doing the dishes, didn’t move nor said anything. Angela just closed her eyes and started to count from 10 to -10. “ When the situation requires it, always go the extra mile. ” Emily told Angela regarding dealing with Lena’s antics. Emily usually goes up to -15.

Athena : “ I suggested reaching you immediately, Dr. Ziegler, but both agents asked (screamed) to not bother you on your day off. Next they spent 10 minutes cursing and screaming at each other. Agent Tracer mostly cursed herself.”

Both Angela and Fareeha were still speechless.

Athena : “ … my favorite is “Bloody ‘ell, I’m an absolute plonker!”

Angela sighed, hastily getting up and starting to head to the exit. “Ten minutes, right? Tell them to go to the infirmary, please. I’m heading there now. And Athena? I know your heart was in the right place, but next time ignore their request to not contact me… especially from those two agents.”

 

Athena : “ Understood. Sorry Dr. Ziegler, It won’t happen again.”

Angela was in automatic pilot, thinking already in what she needed to do. Before she leaves the kitchen, Fareeha says “Well… so much for a day off, uh?” Angela stopped in her tracks, for a second she forgot about Fareeha.

“Yes… unfortunately I’m bound to the Code of Medical Ethics, so leaving them to their own devices is not an option. Sorry Fareeha, I think I won't be able to keep you company… if I don’t see you before you leave, I wish you a safe and joyful trip.” She said with an already tired smile and slouched posture.

“And I hope you get to enjoy your day off eventually. See you around, Angela”. Fareeha gave her the same sad smile. Seeing her friend like this never sat well in her.

---- 

Fareeha returned to finish doing the dishes. After she was done, she started to mentally go through everything she needed to get ready before her deployment. Just when she was about to leave she heard Angela’s phone vibrating on the table. “ Oh, seems like she forgot her phone. I better take it to her before she adds it to her stress list ” Fareeha picked up the phone and saw it wasn’t locked. Also she saw she got a message from Satya… from a group called ““ I am really horny for Phar-“ 

Fareeha took a minute looking at the screen. Maybe it was a coincidence. Maybe that wasn’t her code name. After all, the group’s name wasn’t displayed completely… she debated opening the chat or just locking the phone. Her curiosity won and decided to open the chat.

It wasn’t a coincidence. The group name was pretty clear. And Satya messages only confirmed it.

[Satya 08:29 AM] “Is Fareeha doing the dishes one of your fantasies, Angela?”

[Satya 08:30 AM] “Sorry I jest.”

[Satya 08:45 AM] “Angela, are you there?”

[Satya 09:00 AM] “Did I overstep? I’m really sorry. I won’t do it again.”

Fareeha scrolled a little up and read the other interactions. She was glad that no one else was in the kitchen at that moment to see her whole face burn.

Deciding to just lock the phone and leaving it on the table, she left the premises and went directly to her room. Any thoughts about her deployment were replaced with what she read.

---

Angela finished her emergency call only an hour later. She made sure her friends were well attended… and spent a long time berating and grounding them. “We’re adults! You can’t ground us and send us to our rooms!” They said. “I will break your knees if you don’t stay there.” Angela responded. No one said anything else and each one went to their own space.

Angela plopped down on her desktop’s chair and stared at the ceiling for several minutes. When her neck started to hurt she decided a distraction was in order. She reached for her phone only to realize it was missing. She wanted to scream in frustration, but that thought died quickly when she recalled that the last time she used it was in the kitchen.

Sighing, she got up and made her way there. “Athena, do me a favor before I reach the kitchen. Can you check if my phone is there?” Angela asked while slowing her pace in case it was a waste of time heading there.

Athena : “ Yes, Dr. Ziegler. It’s still on the table where you were. Agent Pharah picked it up but left it there again after a minute and no one else visited the kitchen.”

Well, that’s weird. Maybe she didn’t have time to bring it to me .” Angela thought “Thanks, Athena.”

Angela found her phone exactly where she left it, well, drop it in this case. She unlocked it and saw she had several messages unread. The newest were from Satya and Lena.

[Lena 10:12 AM] “I’m sorry. :(”

I wonder if Emily receives the same message every time Lena messes up.”

Satya left messages in the group as well directly to her and a couple of missing calls. She decided to check the messages directed to her.

[Satya 10:05 AM] “Angela, I’m truly sorry for overstepping your boundaries. I cherish our friendship and I would do anything to keep it. If you feel you can’t forgive me… I understand. Please let me know your decision. Again, I’m deeply sorry.”

Oh no, Satya, what are you talking about?” Angela started to worry. She checked the group to see what she missed.

 

[Satya 09:30 AM] “Clearly I have ruined the dynamics of this group. I thought I finally understood how to talk in a relaxed and friendly manner but I’m far from it. Please, Angela, please forgive me.”

At this point Angela was almost running to Satya’s room “ oh Satya please, don’t close yourself up again ” She stopped on her tracks and decided to call her instead. From her texts she seems really stressed and maybe a face to face won’t help her to calm down.

At the second ring Satya answered

“Angela I’m so sor-“ “No, no, Satya, listen, there is nothing to apologize for, please. I need to apologize. There was an emergency and I forgot my phone in the kitchen. I should have paid attention and taken it with me so I wouldn’t have left you hanging. I’m really sorry, Satya. Please don’t berate yourself.”

A couple of seconds passed in silence in which Angela was holding her breath.  “Oh” Satya said followed by a sigh “I… I’m sorry, I overreacted then. I should have known better than jump to conclusions”

Angela released her breath “Don’t worry Satya, please. It was my fault for forgetting my phone. I just want you to know there is nothing you should apologize for… and no, Fareeha doing the dishes it’s not exactly a fantasy I ever thought about.” Angela hoped her lame attempt of humor would break the tension.

“I see… duly noted.” Unfortunately Satya didn’t find it funny.

There was another stretch of silence but Angela knew Satya only needed a moment to compose herself. “Satya, do you want me to call you in a couple of minutes? I can wait for your call if you prefer.” She offered.

“No… it’s ok. I’m fine. I just need… to unwind. Too many emotions at the same time.” Satya said “I was really scared when I saw you read my messages and didn’t answer for a long time. I thought you… ghosted me? Is that the correct term? In hindsight I should have known better than wait for an immediate answer”

“Yes that’s the correct term. I’m really sorry, after you told me you got your “fill” of Fareeha I had to close the chat to stop myself from acting like a fool in front of Fareeha.” Angela laughed a little at the memory.

“Oh, I thought my other comment upsetted you. According to the application you read the message I sent after” Satya now was confused.

“Hmm I might have seen them but not actually read them. Sorry. In any case, it was for the better. I don’t think I would have been able to stay in the same room with Fareeha after that.” Angela said with a smile. “Tell you what, why don’t we have lunch later and try to forget about all this? If you’re up for it, of course.”

“I would like that.” Satya felt more at ease after hearing this. “Thank you Angela. And… I really appreciate your friendship. I’m glad this was just a simple misunderstanding.”

“Me too. See you later, Satya” Once she hung up she released a large sigh. It wasn’t even noon and she has been through a roller coaster of emotions. She was drained and needed desperately to lay on her bed.

On her way to her room Angela thought of what Satya said about the messages. Something was off but she couldn’t put it together. She stopped on her tracks when an idea came to mind. “…no. No no no, it’s not possible. My phone was locked. It’s impossible that Fareeha saw those messages…” She kept walking, the chances were minimal, but what Satya and Athena said started to form a horrible possibility.

She was too tired for this. So when she got in her room she plopped on her bed and thought about taking a power nap to clear her mind… which transformed into an hour nap.

---

 Angela woke up with a start when she felt something in her hand vibrate. It was her phone. She fell asleep clutching her phone. After a second to orientate herself, she checked her screen and saw that she was invited to a group chat. It didn’t have a name and it was between Satya, Fareeha and her. “ hmmm maybe Fareeha wants to have lunch together before she leaves… ” She thought.

[Fareeha 11:10 AM] “ Hi”

[Satya 11:10 AM] “ Hello.”

[Angela 11:11 AM] “ Hi Fareeha. Still in the base? At what time are you leaving?”

[Fareeha 11:11 AM] “ Uhm, actually I left an hour ago”

[Fareeha 11:11 AM] “ Oh, then you’re missing us already? It makes sense. We’re really extraordinary and hard to forget people.”

Angela laughed at her own joke.

[Fareeha 11:11 AM] “ Well… sort of. I was thinking about you two for a while now. I don’t really know how to handle this delicately so I will cut the chase.”

[Satya 11:11 AM] “ That’s my kind of conversation”

 [Fareeha 11:12 AM] “This morning, Angela, you left your phone in the kitchen. I picked it up to bring it to you and saw it was unlocked. I couldn’t help but read an incoming message from… your group…”

What a silly nightmare this is. Today’s events really took a toll on me. This is clearly a dream because there is no way I’m reading this right now ” Angela's smile never left her face but her eyes started to look like plates.

[Fareeha 11:12 AM] “ “I’m horny for Pharah, buff lady” or something like that, right? Well… when I saw my code name, my curiosity took over and I read a couple of messages…”

[Fareeha 11:12 AM] “…” “I have questions”

 --- Satya left the group ---

Oh no. Oh nononononono this is really happening

--- Fareeha added Satya to the group ---

--- Satya left the group ---

[Fareeha 11:13 AM] “ Uhm… ok… Satya just blocked me. Angela could you check on her and that she is fine? Also, can you convince her to join the chat. I just want to talk. I’m not mad or anything.”

[Angela 11:13 AM] “ Sure! Justgivemeacoupleofminutes!”

Angela was trying to convince herself of not blocking her contact or throwing her phone as far away as possible.

After fifteen minutes of being in shock without moving, Angela finally snapped out of her stupor and tried to contact Satya. She didn’t manage to reach her and that worried her more than what just transpired. “Athena, could you tell me where Satya is right now?”

Athena : “ Agent Symmetra is talking with Winston about a possible deployment. I’m sorry but I can’t release more information until both parties allow me”

Oh… ok.” Angela had no idea what to think about that. She was not in a state to think straight actually. She just woke up, had a complicated morning and now this is not helping her to sort out any thought.

[Fareeha 11:30 AM] “… Any luck?”

“Breath Angela. Breath and answer.”

[Angela 11:30 AM] “She is not responding but Athena confirms that she is with Winston at the moment, so she is fine I take.”

[Fareeha 11:30 AM] “ Good! Good, good… good. I mean, I’m kinda worried that she is not responding but if Athena and Winston are with her I believe she is fine…”

[Angela 11:31 AM] “Yes. I hope that’s the case… I will check on her again after she finishes with Winston.”

[Fareeha 11:31 AM] “Oh cool, cool… Great. Let me know how it goes.”

[Angela 11:31 AM] “Will do.” “…” “Anything else?”

[Fareeha 11:31 AM] “Uhm… yes? About that group chat…”

[Angela 11:32 AM] “BE RIGHT BACK”

Angela was leaning on the wall. A thousand scenarios crossing her mind. None of them were good. After a couple of minutes she saw another message pop up.

[Fareeha 11:35 AM] “I’m just… curious…”

“” Relaxing day” my ass.”