Actions

Work Header

The City Of Stars

Summary:

What if our dear twins arrived during the Archon War, and the Unknown God arrives later?

and

Lutsen(oc) is gifted a vision for no reason he can discern. Join him as he adjusts to his new life m

*Formerly know as A World In Pain*
*New, easier to understand version under development*

Notes:

Hi everyone! This story is still being written and progress WILL be slow.

Idk why the gaps between paragraphs are so long, let me know if it's bothersome

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

PROLOGUE

(archon war time frame)

 

In the far starry expanses of a universe long lost to distance, two Travelers approached a world upon which they wished to explore.  This world was Teyvat, and it was a world full of life.  Teyvat was beautiful from above; it was a marble of green and blue, with wispy clouds surrounding it.  

 

The Travelers had seen many worlds, but this was perhaps the most beautiful they had seen in centuries.  Their own world, of course, would always be first in their hearts.  It would always be a place to go home to when things got rough.  The Travelers would keep a special place in their hearts for home, but they had fallen in love with many worlds and people along their everlasting journey. 

 

As the Travelers descended nearer to Teyavt, they noticed smoke rising from the surface.

 

“Brother, this world is at war.  It is not safe to visit.”  A soft voice said out of the silence.  Lumine was the younger of the two sibling travelers, but by far the more cautious.  She wore her hair short, pinned up with flowers from her homeland.  She looked concerned, she hated to see a world in pain.

 

“We cannot always run from trouble and strife Lumine.  We should see what they fight for before we make up our minds to leave this world.”  Aether wore his hair in a long braid, and hid his emotions so as not to give off weakness.  He often teased his sister about her caution when it came to unknown circumstances.

 

“You misunderstand me brother.  I was merely stating that if we stay to help we could come under the spiteful glare of a malicious god.”  Lumine was always patient, and she made sure she always clarified her words if her brother thought she said something she had not.  

 

“We have always been able to handle ourselves among the many entities we have met on our travels.  Though I always worry we will be unable to handle our next threat, I believe we should help the people of this world if we can.  What say you Aether, shall we skip over this world to the next or do what we can to assist?”

 

Aether grinned.  He would have helped these people no matter what his sister said to convince him.  She always managed to make it sound like she guilted him into agreeing with her.  She often did guilt him into things.  Buying her souvenirs, spending more time on a world she loved…. Things like that.  Lumine was the most persuasive person he had ever met, and he had met a lot of people.  She had the most adorable puppy eyes.  Nobody had ever been able to say no to her when she wanted something.  

 

<;>

 

They flew through the atmosphere of Teyvat, noticing all the craters and ruins scattered around on the ground.  This was a dying world.  The twins’ own world had been dying centuries ago.  They had saved it, they had saved countless worlds.  They had warmed worlds sheeted in ice, they had brought life to planets with none.  They could save this world, just like all the others.  

 

<;>

 

In many of the worlds the twins had been to it was the people who were fighting, the humans.  Here, the gods were in a war over who could stay and who must die.  The gods were busy, and neglected the lives of the humans over which they ruled.  Aether and Lumine knew what it was like to be ignored by your god.  They could help.  They would help.

 

The Twins assisted the nearest village they found.  It had no name, but the people lived on the edge of a desert.  The desert was introduced to them as the Mare Jivari, and they were told it was a god forsaken place.  The wind never blew there, nor did plants grow.    

 

Aether taught the people how to build sturdy homes and tools, and set up trade routes with the wandering folk of the desert.  The People of the Mare Jivari loved him for steady flow of tips and tricks.  Aether did not directly do anything, he explained it to the people.  The people in turn, took his ideas and turned them into beautiful creations.  Everything in the village of the People of the Mare Jivari had a reason for being there, nothing was ornamental.  Nothing needed to be ornamental.  Everything the people made was a treasure, expertly crafted and uniquely craved.

 

Lumine taught the people how to hunt and farm.  She taught them how to fight, should they ever need to defend themselves.  She was the heart of these people, their shining star.  The People of the Mare Jivari loved Aether.  They worshipped him when he wasn’t looking, but he was always so unreachable; so perfect and composed.  Lumine was different.  She was always smiling and laughing, she played with the children.  She was the person people went to when they didn’t know what to do.  The only time the People saw Aether show emotion was when she was there, when she teased him.  He would smile, and the people would wish they could make him smile like she did.

 

The Twins were exactly what this village needed.  It grew into a city, improbably perched on the far end of the most inhospitable place in Teyvat.  As the Archon War went on, the City of the People of the Mare Jivari distanced itself from the rest of the world.  It faded into the background, becoming like a legend.  The shining city on the far side of the uncrossable desert.  

 

<;>

 

One day, the elder of the People came to the twins.  He said:

“We have chosen a name for our city.  We will call it Sternenlicht, starrylight.  We are forever in your debt, and we wish to always remember the reason for our blessings.”

 

Sternenlicht was paradise.  If you could reach it, you too could live under the grace of the travelers from the stars.

 

Chapter 2: Blessings

Summary:

Main character intro

Notes:

I'll try my best to update once per week!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

BLESSINGS FROM A SLEEPING GOD

(in-game time frame)

Lutsen Morgen

 

Lutsen told himself Lord Barbatos hasn’t woken up in centuries.  He wouldn’t be awake now.  It would be years before he came to Mondstadt again.  So then… why was there an anemo vision next to the arrow he had shot?  He wasn’t looking for adventure.  He wasn’t remotely ambitious.  What could he possibly do with a vision?  He didn’t even know how to fight!

 

 He didn’t deserve this, he had just been praying for a bit of luck to guide his shot.  This was crazy, the thing that only happens to those heroes in the adventure books his little sister likes to read at night!  The ones where the main character is searching for their destiny or some such nonsense.  They always end up with some love of their lives and a mound of treasure at the end.  

 

Lutsen has never been very interested in those stories, they’re always ending happily ever after.  Real life isn’t like that. He wasn’t looking for destiny or some person to fall in love with either.  He had no time for that.  He was busy making sure his family was going to make it through the winter. Lutsen’s family lives in Springvale.  They always have, his family had never been big city folk. They’d been doing well up until about a month ago.  It never really got cold in Mondstadt, but the crops grew much slower and he can’t work for the Dawn Winery in winter. Lutsen wasn’t really sure why, but Master Diluc sent all of the younger folk home when the colder time of the year came around.  

 

Lutsen quite liked Master Diluc.  He was always out making sure everything was doing well.  Master Diluc wasn’t like those bad bosses from Liyue he heard about.  It was said they didn’t ever show their face to their employees.  The job Morgen has at the Winery is hard work, but it pays well.  His dad says he shouldn’t have to help take care of the family, but Lutsen liked doing it.  It makes him feel like he’s helping.  His mom says he’s the only young man in Mondstadt who doesn’t want to run off and meet a girl on their adventures.  

 

“You need a bit of excitement in your life son!  I wonder, have you ever thought about far flung adventure?  Staying at home all day may help me, but it does nothing for your soul.  You want to help, go make yourself happy!  Try enrolling in the Knights or The Adventurer’s Guild!  You’ll see what the true spirit of freedom is!”

 

He has to admit his mom’s orders do sound enticing.  It’s not like he didn’t want to go and live, he just wants to make sure his family is okay before he goes and does something reckless and gets himself killed.  H- he doesn't think he knows what to do if it’s not taking care of his family.  So he hasn’t gone yet, Lutsen needs to make sure his family makes it through the winter.

 

Just wait until his mom hears about the vision.  She and dad will team up on him and guilt trip him into heading for Mondstadt to become an Adventurer or a Knight.  Morgen loved his family, but they constantly, well…. loved him.  They were convinced they could do fine without him but what if they were wrong?!  Lutsen just wanted what was best for his family.

 

Lutsen knelt down next to the boar he had shot and carefully pulled the arrow out.  He hesitated and then picked up the vision (no, his vision) and slipped it into his pocket.  He would never reject a blessing from Lord Barbatos himself.  Anemo visions were rare, he would have to go to Mondstadt and Acting Grandmaster Jean if he wanted help learning how to use it.   He would likely also have to join the Knights if he was going to be tutored by the Acting Grandmaster herself.  

 

As he picked up the boar to carry it home, Lutsen heard voices from further up the trail.  They were laughing jovially and seemed to be slightly drunk.  He wondered why such a big group was coming from the direction of Mondstadt when they could have just slept off the alcohol and hangovers in a comfortable inn.  The men were most likely his neighbors and parents’ friends, so he didn’t bother to stay off the trail when they passed.  True enough, they were his father’s hunting buddies.  Even the resident Grumpy Old Man of Springvale, Mr. Clairk, was joking along with the group.  

 

The men noticed him as they walked by and stopped for a quick chat.  They called out to him, asking when he would be joining them on their jaunts to the taverns.  The lead hunter in Springvale, Draff, stopped to talk.

 

“Hey kiddo, I reckon you’re just about enough to join us eh?  The Morgens have always been fun in the taverns.  What say you come along this weekend and have some fun with us at the Angel's Share?  We can help support a couple of drinks for you~”

 

Lutsen did not have any wish to get so drunk he could barely walk, and he told as much to Draff.  Politely, of course.  It would not do to have the most influential person in Springvale frustrated with him.  Lutsen had never liked Draff, he was just a bit too carnivorous.  The man’s love of meat was terrifying.  

 

<;>

 

As Lutsen neared home he went over what he wanted to talk about with his parents.  

 

1: Tell them about the vision and how he acquired it, just to make sure it really was his.

2: Let them know he wanted to go to Mondstadt and see if they were okay with it.

3: Make sure they would be alright without him helping out around the house.

 

It was a short list, but every part of it was equally important to go over.  If anything went wrong and he could leave for any reason, it would be something on that list.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Feel free to tell me how much you hate it! ^^

Chapter 3: Paimon? Isn't that a type of fish?

Summary:

The Twins decide to go on a diplomatic vacation

Notes:

This chapter is weird

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

PAIMON? ISN’T THAT A TYPE OF FISH?

(A time after the end of the Archon War)

Aether and Lumine

 

The Twins had begun to settle into their role as travelers turned leaders.  It had been peaceful for enough time that the twins had decided to go on a quick camping trip to the rivers and lakes of Mondstadt.  They had told the people of the city and hoped no coups or explosions happened while they were gone.  The Twins had enough confidence in the people of Sternenlicht not to blow up the city that they were willing to go far afield to relax for a time.

 

Rumors had floated across the Mare Jivari with the wandering folk about Mondstadt.  An uprising had resulted in the ascension of a new and loving god.  Though loving this god was, he had made it through the Archon War successfully.  The wandering folk hailed him as the god of wine and freedom.  They said he was a kind Archon, and had formed the land of Mondstadt to make it easier for his people to live in.  He had built a city, an easily defensible place on an island.  It was stressed that though the city was guarded against armys, it was welcome to all.

 

Lumine had heard of these rumors and decided it was time to get to know the neighbors.  Or at least one of them.  A nice and friendly neighborly chat about whether they would have to worry about invasions in the future.  Y’know, the average welcome to the area! Are you going to be a threat? talk.  Aether, of course, was just being a good brother and taking in the scenery.  He knew they could take care of any threats that came after them.  He was interested to see how the Archon reacted to two new gods that had not participated in the Archon War.

 

<;>

 

Mondstadt was beautiful, a country full of rolling hills and winding creeks.  It was the perfect place to relax and explore after building up a city from the brink of destruction.  The Twins plopped themselves down on a beach that looked uninhabited and set up a simple campsite facing the ocean.  Lumine went to go see if she could get some fish for dinner and Aether decided to take a nap in the sand.  Lumine laughed at Aether when he yawned and curled up into a ball by the fire.  

 

“At least find something to lay on top of!  You’ll get sand in your clothes and complain all night~!  I’m going fishing, don't get kidnapped while I’m gone!”  

 

Aether just yawned and mumbled something like “If I get kidnapped I’ll blame you.  It’s not my fault I’m tired after that long flight across that awful thing called sand dunes.  

 

“You brother, are a wimp!  Surely you’re used to heat by now!  We’ve been on hundreds of worlds much hotter, this is nothing compared to those~”  Lumine was always up to tease her brother, he was just so easy.  Lumine laughed once more and ran off to supply dinner.  She had always fancied herself quite the fine fisher.  Her favorite fish was trout, but she liked cod as well.  Of course, there was no way to know which types of fish were here on Teyvat.  She would just have to “wing it” as they say on other worlds, and hope the fish here were edible.

 

<;>

 

Aether woke up to an excited Lumine shaking him.  He yawned and rubbed his eyes.  He did not, however, get up.  Lumine would be dragging him up if it was that important.



“Brother, brother!  I found something amazing, you should come and see!  Come on and get up you big oaf, it’s been plenty of time anyway~!”

 

Aether was still tired, but now was not the time to argue, when his sister was like this he would end up doing what she wanted whether he chose to or not.  She was a masterful schemer.  So he sat up and asked what was so amazing that he had to be woken up for it?

 

“I found something that calls itself a Paimon!  Come on let me introduce you to it!  I think it’s female, but I haven’t really been able to get many answers out yet.”

 

Aether’s mind wasn’t quite working yet, all he heard was “a Paimon!” and he got excited.  

 

“Paimon?  Isn’t that a type of fish?  Why do I need to meet a fish?”  Aether had the most adorably confused expression on his face when he said this.  It almost made Lumine feel bad and refrain from teasing him for once but no, she just wasn’t nice enough for that.  

 

“HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Brother tell me more about this fish!  Does it look orange when you cook it?  Does it fall apart on your fork?  Are you maybe thinking of salmon ?!” 

 

Aether was tired, and Lumine knew that was the best time to tease him.  It was when he couldn’t think of a good retort to anything she said.  He was also adorable when he was tired.  She grinned and called out to the air behind her.

 

“Come on out Paimon!  I want you to meet my brother!  I think you’ll like him.”  

 

A little thing that looked like a faerie came floating out from some rocks a few feet away.  It was cute, with silvery white hair and a pink jumpsuit with golden ornaments.  The most interesting thing about the little faerie was the cape, it looked like starry space condensed into a petal-like decoration.  

 

“Paimon heard you talking about fish!  Paimon is really hungry, do you have any food for Paimon?”  Were the first words out of the little girl’s mouth.  She completely ignored Aether and addressed Lumine with a hopeful expression.  

 

Lumine smiled at Paimon and promised her a nice big meal in exchange for a quick description of Mondstadt’s geography and political situation.  Paimon promised the “Best Guide To Mondstadt Anyone Could Get!”  She was a bundle of energy and Lumine had immediately taken a liking to her.

 

<;>

 

When Paimon finished stuffing herself she sunk down to the ground and looked around the Twin’s little campsite.  Upon seeing Aether, (she had not yet noticed her with how focused on Lumine and her food she had been) she shrieked and hid behind Lumine.

 

“Paimon doesn’t know when you got here!!!  Please don’t eat Paimon, she doesn’t taste very good!!!”

 

Lumine laughed and promised Paimon that the big scary beastie wouldn’t eat her.  She told Paimon that Aether was her brother and that they were taking a vacation together.  Paimon’s eyes lit up when Lumine said “vacation”.

 

“Paimon wants to come too!!!!  Please let Paimon come!!”

 

Lumine smiled at her.

 

“Of course Paimon!  You can stay with us as long as you want!”

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Let me know what I can do better?

Chapter 4: The City of Wind and Wine

Notes:

I think this is the next chapter >.>

I've hit a wall ya'll

I have no idea where this fic is going

Also, I NEED TO FIGURE OUT HOW MY DEAR TWINS MEET ZHONGLI. Help would be appreciated

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

THE CITY OF WIND AND WINE

(a few days after he found the vision)

Lutsen Morgen

 

Lutsen’s parents had been ecstatic when they heard about his vision.  They had assured him they would be fine without him, and they told him he absolutely must go to Mondstadt and learn to use his vision.  

 

In other words: Lutsen no longer had an excuse to stay home.  In fact, he had been kindly led to the door when he had second thoughts.  

 

Lutsen couldn’t get over the sight of Mondstadt.  It was beautiful!  He had never been this close to the capital city before.  It was lovely, a tiered city rising above the island in the middle of Cider Lake, and Lutsen would be living there.  

 

He walked over the bridge, stopping to talk to a boy who seemed to be in love with pigeons.  He hastily apologized to the boy and walked to the gates.  The guards there saluted him and asked if he needed help finding anything.  Lutsen asked them how he could sign up for the Knights of Favonius.

 

“Oh! A new recruit, welcome to Mondstadt!  You can sign up at the Knights of Favonius Headquarters, you’ll find it to the left of the statue of Lord Barbatos.  Good luck kid!  May the Anemo Archon protect you.”

 

<;>

 

Lutsen stepped inside the Headquarters and looked around.  He was in a large room with four doors.  There were knights at a few of them.  He had been told to right, into the Acting Grandmaster's office.  She would get him a uniform and tell him who to report to for training.  

 

The Acting Grandmaster’s office(here on out Jean’s ) was a room made for utility.  It had nothing that would not contribute to the well-being of Mondstadt’s people.  The room was spacious, and made even more obviously so by the absence of Jean.  Lutsen suddenly felt like he was intruding on a very important event.  

 

If the Acting Grandmaster wasn’t here should he leave?  Where should he wait for her?  He was looking around for a place to wait when he remembered the guard outside the door across the hall.  He stepped outside and asked the guard whom he remembered being named Wood.  

 

“Sir?  What should I do if the Acting Grandmaster isn’t here?”  He waited anxiously as the man thought for a moment.  

 

“I suggest you wait.  Master Jean isn’t often gone for long.  She should be back quite soon.”  Wood smiled at him, he wasn’t often spoken to and hoped maybe he could get a little entertainment.

 

<;>

 

Lutsen and Wood spoke about trivial things for a few moments before, as suspected, Jean appeared through the door in a bit of a hurry.  

 

“My apologies, you must be the newest recruit?”  Jean looked down at him with a curious expression.  “Please excuse my lateness, the situation with Stormterror caused something to come up.  Do come inside.  We can discuss your duties there.”  

 

Jean led him inside and sat down at her desk.  She had an impressive presence.  He felt safe in her company, and no wonder.  She was the Acting Grandmaster after all.  If she could not handle something, who could?

 

She smiled at him and asked him a few questions about his skills and experience.  

 

“No knowledge of fighting skills, a huntsman, so you can shoot a bow.  We can play into that.  You say you are fairly sneaky, you are quite knowledgeable in Mondstadt’s history, and you have a vision to train with and learn.  You also can also play the lyre, but I see no way to incorporate that into your duties.  Honestly Mr. Morgen, you sound very much like Venti.  Maybe I can convince him to help you with that vision.  For now, you will train as an Outrider under Amber.”  She can teach you what to scout for and how to use your bow as a weapon.”  

 

Lutsen wondered who this Venti was.  She had sounded slightly fond when she mentioned him.  Was Jean perhaps, in a relationship? (Note: she ain’t)  He shouldn’t think of that, this woman was his boss now.  He should be respectful, Lutsen chided himself.  

 

Jean told him where the statue of Barbatos was in the city center.  He was to meet Amber there tomorrow and begin his training.  Due to being an outrider he would not be given a uniform.  Instead, Amber would suggest clothing to wear for exploration in the woods.  She reminded him to bring his bow and be ready to demonstrate his skills.

 

<;>

 

Lutsen was free to explore Mondstadt for the rest of the day, he would have no duties until tomorrow.  So Lutsen decided to visit the famous Angel’s Share tavern.  He had recently heard they sold non-alcoholic beverages and wished to try a few.  Lutsen had only ever worked in the vineyards, and did not know about the inner workings of the Dawn Winery.

 

The inside of the Tavern was much larger than he had suspected from the outside.  Charles whom he knew from working at the winery in the summers, was distributing drinks to the patrons.   The atmosphere was warm and bright, and VERY loud.  Lutsen’s ears had never heard such commotion indoors before, it was far louder than he thought the twenty or so customers could make.  Perhaps it was because they were drunk?  

 

Lutsen had always avoided drunk people, he wasn’t a fan of the smell or the sometimes unpredictable effects drunk people exhibited.  Neither of his parents drank much so far as he could remember.  That comment Draff made about Morgens being fun in the taverns?, his parents almost never even went to Mondstadt.  Lutsen’s parents must have been quite the party go-ers before they had him and his sister.  

 

Lutsen sat down at the bar and ordered a wolfhook juice.  It was bitter, but he liked it.  Lutsen watched the going ons of the tavern as he slowly drank his beverage.   There was a young man standing near the door playing lively toons.  An older man was watching him with a jealous look.  It seemed to Lutsen that the younger man had stolen the other’s glory.  

 

The young man finished his song and skipped over to the counter.  

 

“Another glass for the bard please Charles!”  He said jumping up onto a stool.  He looked mischievous, like he knew a funny joke that nobody else was in on.  The young man’s eyes sparkled when he smiled.  

 

Charles looked a little stressed, but Lutsen didn’t understand why.  “I’m sorry Venti, but Master Diluc told me to cut you off at ten tonight.  I can get you an apple cider?”  

 

Lutsen had not meant to eavesdrop, but hearing Charles say he had served this young’n ten glasses of wine definitely piqued his interest.  He didn’t even look old enough to drink!  Also… wasn’t Venti the name of the person Master Jean had said he seemed like?  This young bard was who she was going to coerce into helping train him?  This “Venti” was younger than him!

 

Venti tilted his head back and groaned.  “Awww come on Charles.  You know Master Diluc is a fun hater!  Besides, isn’t it good for business to sell as much as you can?”

 

Charles rolled his eyes and handed a pot bellied man an ale.  “Yes Venti it is good to sell our product.  But we don’t sell to you!  If you actually paid for what you drank I would give you more.  I don’t have a clue why Master Diluc gives you as much as he does…” 

 

The young man’s, Venti’s, eyes lit up.  He grinned.  “So all I have to do is pay?  Well I can do that!  Come on folks pay the bard for his great performance!  And if you pay enough I’ll even do another song!”

 

Two jaunty songs later Venti walked back up the counter and grinned at Charles.  He produced enough mora for three more dandelion wines.  Charles just sighed and produced them from under the counter.  Venti drank one of the wines in one big go.  “Aaaaaahhh that hits the spot, thanks Charles!”  He turned to Lutsen “Hi!  You look new.  Welcome to Mondstadt, city of love, wind, and wine!  There’s something for everyone here!  Haha~, and if adventure is your thing we’ve got a bit of a dragon problem!”  He hiccuped, and jumped off his stool.  He landed steadily, the one hiccup the only indicator he had had alcohol at all.  Venti tipped his hat to Lutsen and skipped out the door.

 

As soon as he was gone the older bard sighed and stood up.  He then began playing and it was immediately obvious that he was not as good as Venti.

 

Lutsen turned back around and discovered he had finished his juice during the exciting hurricane show that was Venti.  He looked up to ask Charles for a refill and noticed him sighing in relief.  

 

“Someday that bard is going to drink more than he can handle.  I just hope I’m not here when it happens.  It’s closing time Morgen, have a good night.”

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Thanks for reading, who else was hit HARD by the new archon quest XD?

I love comments, I also want people to tell me what to write. Doesn't have to correlate with this fic. I want the challenge of writing something someone else wants to read.... not that i'll ever post it XD ^^.

HAVE A NICE DAY AND STAY SAFE EVERYONE

Chapter 5: Venti is green

Summary:

What are these even for? READ THE CHAPTER

Notes:

hi~

Some notes:
Lutsen is the main character
The chapters with the twins are in the far past and might not be in order
the Lutsen chapters ARE in order
eventually the twins chapters will matter
maybe
I'm slowing down my already slow writing so please be patient if i miss a week
Lutsen does not know who venti is, Jean does, Diluc does, the twins do too.
Amber is slightly older than Lutsen in this fic
Venti looks younger than Lutsen here
I haven't given Lutsen an exact age and he probably won't get one. I'm portraying him of legal age though

If I ever decide to quit this story I will let ya'll know first!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

A GREEN GUY THAT RHYMES

(Still during the vacation)

Aether and Lumine-4

Happy (late by now) Easter!!! (very late)

 

Paimon was, surprisingly, the perfect travel guide.  Feed her, and in turn you were given a detailed report of all the latest news and interesting places in the area.  There were ruins in the area?  Well Paimon could tell you exactly what that pile of rocks over there used to be!  Not that Lumine and Aether needed to know it used to be the most successful tannery in hundreds of miles.  The little pixie had knowledge, enough that Lumine figured she had been around since before the Archon War.  

 

<;>

 

Lumine and Aether made their way along the trail nestled in between a gouge in the earth.  Paimon told them that the Anemo Archon Barbatos had smoothed the land and warmed the winds to make it easier for his people to live in the formerly unforgiving and cold lands.  The Twins had already heard this, but it was amazing to see the effects for themselves.  Aether and Lumine could not wait to meet this benevolent Archon.  They had not yet told Paimon that they too were gods, it had not crossed their minds when they introduced themselves and no good time had arrived since.  So they instead skirted around the subject.

 

<;>

 

“We’re getting close to the capital city of Mondstadt!  If you’re looking for a place to relax this is the place to be!  Paimon loves it here, everyone is so nice and gives Paimon free food!  This city was built by Barbatos himself, a gift from the Archon to his people.  The stone is infused with anemo, it reflects attacks.  But that doesn’t matter to Paimon, she can just fly right over!”

 

Lumine grinned and elbowed Aether.  “If we ever attack Mondstadt, we can just send Paimon over the walls to cause chaos.  They would run out of food in hours, if not minutes.”  She laughed, and Aether smirked.  “Let’s go feed our little chaos machine before she forgets we need to pay for it.  I don’t understand how she fed herself before you found her.  She can’t tell tree bark from carrots.”  Aether had slowly grown fonder of the little girl, not that you could tell.  His emotions were still just as stoic as ever.

 

Lumine giggled.  “I’ll bet she just ate everything she found and hoped it was edible, and by eating enough just stuff she managed to get enough nutrients.  It’s probably how she knew slimes were edible last night.  Weirdest textured meal I’ve ever had!” 

 

<;>



The central plaza of Mondstadt was bustling with shoppers and children.  Paimon flew over to a group of them and started making funny faces to see them laugh.  The Twins took everything in, the happy people, the children playing in the streets, the bustling marketplace.  This was a place determined to enjoy itself.  Now to find it’s Archon.  Would he already be disguised and living with the people or would he be working to lead from a powerful seat?  This was one thing they had not asked Paimon.  Why, after all, would two siblings on vacation be looking for a god?  

 

They left Paimon to her fun and went off to search for a presence too powerful to be human.  If there was one, it was likely to be the Archon of Mondstadt.  They searched the tiered city until they came to a large space at the top of the city.  There was a large fountain and a garden surrounding it.  A green clothed bard was playing somber toons near a gathering of benches.  He finished the ballad and took a request for a drinking shanty, effectively lifting the mood in seconds.

 

He felt powerful to the Twins, more so than the people with the shining stones.  Perhaps he was Barbatos, or was he only a particularly powerful stone holder?  The presence of the stones had thrown off the Twins.  They gave off an aura of power, but not enough to be a god.  So the Twins loitered, hoping to see a sign that he was not human.  They stayed and watched for hours, only giving up when the bard declared he was done for the night.

 

“Thanks for listening everyone!   Feel free to pay me as gratitude for your entertainment!  You can also pay me in alcohol if you’re low on mora!”

 

He collected payment from the folks that were willing, and then turned to the Twins and walked over.

 

“The two of you have been watching all day, did you need something from me?  I am willing to do a private performance in exchange for a few apples!~  Or was there something else?”

 

Aether looked at him and decided to go with his gut.  “Are you Barbatos?”

 

The bard smiled and bowed.  “I’m quite surprised you recognized this deity.  Let us move this talk to a more private place, an important discussion I foresee.  Meet me at the small lake to the north-east!  Oh!, and last but not least, do take your gluttonous friend from my city of peace.”  He stopped rhyming for a moment.  “She is really quite a force to be reckoned with.”  He looked slightly apprehensive when he spoke about Paimon.

 

Lumine laughed and promised to bring Paimon with them when they left.

 

<;>




The lake was small, with an island in the middle.  Lumine and Aether flew over, seemingly arriving before Barbatos.  The island was nice, a slow grassy slope.  They settled in and gave Paimon lunch while they waited for Barbatos to appear.  The sun was shining and a peaceful breeze was blowing.  It was the perfect day to meet with a god and make sure they had no intention of killing you.  

 

When Barbatos arrived he too had wings.  He flew over the water to the island and landed softly a few feet away.  Aether first noticed the feathery appagendas.  Indeed, they were beautiful.  They spread wide behind him, and were adorned with golden decorations.  The feathers caught and refracted the sunlight around Barbatos, making them appear iridescent.  

 

 

Barbatos smiled, and sat down.  “Welcome to Mondstadt, to what do I owe the pleasure of your visit?  I’m not sure I’ll be much help, and I am not willing to take care of the little pixie thing.”  His look turned suspicious when he set eyes on Paimon.

 

Aether took the lead, he could be quite good at this sort of thing.  He introduced them and stated their business.

 

“My Lord, we are simply wondering if you have any plans of conquest in the future.  If you do, we wish to prepare our people for the future.  We will not leave them to the zealous plans of a power hungry god.”  The Twins had discovered it was best to be straightforward with gods and leaders.  Get your thoughts out quick before they could react.

 

“Wow.  For two Celestia sent angles you are surprisingly hostile.”  Barbatos said, grinning.  “I have no means of conquest.  I would have kept my people out of the Archon War if I could.  Your people are safe from me.  Where are your people?  I will steer far clear of them and keep my people away.  It is never wise to encroach on another god’s lands.  Especially when they managed to completely avoid the Archon War altogether.”  He seemed a bit impressed at the end.  

 

Lumine piped up.  “We live on the other side of the Mare Jivari.  It should be quite easy to avoid.  We do, however, welcome visitors.  Your people are welcome to come to visit.  We simply do not tolerate invasions.  You yourself are also welcome.  We have plenty of guest accommodations in our home, My Lord.”  She bowed from her seat a little at the end.

 

Barbatos seemed surprised.  “There is no need to call me lord!  Please, this is far more a meeting of equals.  And I may have to take up your invitation at some point.  I will tell stories of a city across the desert, welcoming all who come in peace.”  He sighed, looking at the sky.  “I’m afraid I must go.  Duty calls and all that.  The two of you are always welcome. Aether, Lumine.  Do come visit. 

 

The Twins smiled and thanked him. Then Lumine grabbed Paimon and summoned their wings.  

 

<;>

 

Once they were in the air and on the trip home, Lumine turned to Aether with a grin.

 

“Looks like that was easier than we expected! And you had sooooo many backup plans in place!

She giggled and had to dodge out of the way when Aether grinned and tried to tackle her.

 

“Careful Aether, you’ll kill Paimon~!”

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Thanks for reading my ridiculously short story

(I'm only mostly sure I posted the right chapter)

Chapter 6: dragons are scary, stay away

Summary:

first day of training, i think?

Notes:

Hello, I don't really like how this chapter turned out. Sorry. It's pretty much all filler. Everyone's comments and suggestions on where this story should go... all of you are so helpful! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

BE SMART AND DON’T ATTACK THE DRAGON
(first day of practice!)
Lutsen Morgen

It was an overcast day, with a slight nip in the air. Lutsen had woken up a few hours earlier to wax his bow. It would not be good if he gave a bad first impression. An unwaxed bow string could snap, and the snap could recoil and permanently injure you. That would most definitely not be the way to go. Lutsen understood that he would be expected to kill. He was ready for this. He would do what was needed to protect Mondstadt. This had always been the case in his family, each member ready to help Mondstadt in their own way. Some had fought invading forces, others devoted themselves to Barbatos.

Lutsen was not the first Morgen to become a knight. He wasn’t even the first to do so with a vision. He was the first with an anemo vision. He would make his family proud.

<;>

Amber was already at the statue waiting when he arrived. She grinned at him.

“Hi! I’m Amber, Outrider of The Knights of Favonius! I look forward to working with you. Let’s get started, follow me to Starfell Lake and I’ll go over your duties as an Outrider in training.”

She then set off at a jog to the city gates. Lutsen was surprised at how she didn’t even wait to make sure he followed. He raced after her, he had never been to Starfell Lake. Lutsen had always been a lone hunter, but he also made sure he was close to home in case his family needed him. He was always worried about the possibility of hilichurls. They were adorable, nothing could change that, but they were also bloodthirsty menaces. He wondered why they had such a craving for chaos. They could easily settle down and become farmers. That didn't take too much brain power, even little kids could enjoy growing cute flowers.

The run to Starfell Lake was a long one by a normal citizen’s standards, but Amber and Lutsen spent a lot of time outdoors. They arrived quickly, and Lutsen saw that Amber had set up an obstacle course around the lake. It looked tough, and he realized Amber knew what she was doing. She wasn’t a knight because the Grandmaster had taken pity on her, she had actually earned it. This surprised him, but not as much as it would surprise his little sister. She had never even dreamed of getting into the knights. Perhaps telling her about the young outrider would convince her to work towards it?

Amber explained the course to him, and made it seem like it should be very easy. With that smile of hers, anyone would assume they were about to go on a stroll. The reality had much more opportunity for getting wet and knocking his head on things.
<;>

A painful amount of time later:
Lutsen groaned, and flopped down onto the ground. He had successfully completed the course twice. TWICE, and he had been at it for hours. Oh, and judging by the look on Amber’s face he still had more training to go through today. What next, did he have to climb dragonspine, glide across the gorge? It was no matter of course, he would do it. He would do it and he would do it again until he succeeded.

“Hey trainee, you did great! Most people decide they weren’t meant for the Knights after they start training. You would be surprised how much this helps though, I promise it’s useful! If you’re capable of standing we should walk back to Mondstadt and get something to eat! I can keep explaining our job as we go!”

Ah, that’s right. Amber had been lecturing him on what exactly an Outrider did on a daily basis. Apparently, once he finished his training he would have to scout the area around Mondstadt every day and kill any enemies he found. He also would be responsible for escorting visiting persons and outgoing parties. His job consisted of little categories, but each category had many nuances. Such as how to treat one of the Liyue Qixing versus one of the Adepti.

She led him slowly back to Mondstadt, cheerfully detailing what would be expected of him. When she seemed to run out of things to tell him about his new job, she started giving him lots of information about Mondstadt. What to eat, where to eat, how much things should cost if you aren’t being scammed, where to find the most helpful things in Mondstadt, etc etc. She never stopped talking, when she exhausted one subject she moved on to the next. Her favorite food, her family, recent gossip. She became more subdued when she spoke of all the destruction Stormterror had caused. She warned him not to draw attention to himself if he happened to encounter the beast. Lutsen was concerned that she even had to tell him not to face off against it. It was a dragon for Celestia’s sake!

He wondered whether anyone had ever tried to kill Stormterror. Perhaps that was why Amber felt the need to tell him to RUN AWAY if he saw Stormterror. He made up an image on his mind of a lone knight facing off against an angry dragon. It chilled his bones to think about.

The way back to Mondstadt was lively, they passed a few merchants and other travelers on the road. They got some food and she led him back out into the wilderness to test his archery skills. She also spent time observing his spacial awareness and stealth abilities.

<;>

It was dark when Amber released him for the day. She told him to meet her by the statue again the next morning. She would explain his schedule then. Lutsen had rented a room in the nearby inn, but he didn’t want to go back yet. Maybe he would go to the Angel’s Share and see what more he could learn about the bard Venti. How could a person so young be held in such high regard from the Acting Grandmaster herself? He was an amazing bard, had an anemo vision, had also somehow managed to get Diluc to sell him wine, and so far as he knew Venti had only existed for about three years. Nobody had heard of him before, it was odd. Surely someone should have heard of such a master bard before he arrived in Mondstadt?

Well, people could have their secrets. It was the city of freedom after all.

-<;>-

Notes:

Thanks for reading this story, it's basically all headcannons and made up junk so idk why ya'll like it XD My muse ran away from me... ;-; I only have one more fully written chapter done after this. Hope I can keep up! ^^''

Chapter 7: rain

Notes:

I'm sorry if I accidentally change tenses...
this chapter is all over the place and crazy. I'm sorry
I know my chapters are short, I'm working on getting them longer.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

STORMS AND THOUGHTS

(A while after the meeting with Barbatos)

Aether  

 

He was out in a storm.  Aether had gone out flying and a storm had hit.  A lightning storm.  A lightning storm and her brother was out flying.  He was reckless, oh so reckless, he would not have landed when the storm rolled in.  Aether loved storms, like really loved storms.  Lumine was sure the only reason he was still alive was because she normally locked him in his room when it so much as rained .  Aether would complain, of course, but it was Lumine’s only job: keep your big brother alive.  Her ONLY job.  The one thing she has tasked herself with in their travels.  It wasn’t because he was the crown prince, she knew he could care less about his destiny.  She could care less about his destiny.  It was because they were siblings , and siblings (especially the younger ones) made sure the other parts of their whole survived.  Which is why Aether simply should NOT be allowed out in a storm.

 

<;>

 

Rain.  RAIN.  Yes, finally it was raining!  It was raining, and there was no Lumine in sight.  It had been years since she had discovered Aether’s love of dangerous weather.  She had then become that annoying younger sister that you try so hard to argue with but just can’t quite manage to win against.  She was a remarkably skilled younger sister.  Not that the one minute between them could count for much…  

 

Aether had gone out for a flight above the lake.  The view was amazing .  He could never resist coming out here at least once per week.  He had flown this path thousands of times, and yet he never tired of it.  There was a freedom out here.  One that Aether just couldn’t find in the city.  Sternenlicht was amazing, don’t ever get him wrong.  He was what his sister called a free spirit.  It was why they had always traveled.  She had been the one to suggest they travel across worlds, get to know the people.  Before he would be chained down by duty in a few centuries.

 

  Being charged with reining in the wayward stars by his father.  Even when everybody knew he couldn’t do it.  His father had always been disappointed in Aether, he knew not why.  So Aether left the leading here to Lumine.  He did the small things, unimportant things that wouldn’t be missed.  And then he came out here and just flew.  He didn’t think, he didn’t plan, he just mindlessly enjoyed the amazing view.  

 

The storm hit, and at first he hadn’t even noticed.  The first thing to clue him in was the wind.  It battered at him, threatened to blow him into the lake.  It was POWERFUL.  And it reminded him that no matter how strong Aether and his sister were, every world had a way to fight back.  Here, it was the elements.  Less directly, it was the Archons.  

 

The storm was a strong one, but Aether was not inexperienced.  An ancient being normally learned how to survive a pesky little storm.  He danced between lightning bolts with a grace that would terrify even Lumine, who had seen this deadly dance many times before.  She had eventually given into her sisterly instincts and forced him inside.  This was the first time he had danced since before arriving in Teyvat.  Aether grinned as the waves rose to deadly heights and the wind howled.  

 

<;>

 

He had been dancing for hours when he saw it.  A sparkle of green at the edge of his vision.  Perhaps it was the blinding dazzle from the lightning reflecting off a wave, but Aether’s dancing turned from gleeful to  wary.  He was a warrior, had been his entire life.  He would not be caught off guard in even the strongest of storms on the wildest of worlds.  This storm was nothing compared to even the Archon war, when wind and fire spread at deadly speeds across the land.  Aether could fight in a storm, he had trained for it in case he needed to enforce rule on a world of storms.  However, if this sparkle of green was an enemy, chances were, it too could fight in a storm.  It was also obvious that it could fly.

 

Aether waited until he saw the flash again, and dashed towards it.  He hoped to see it before he lashed out.  Killing a non hostile creature just because it distracted him was a good way to anger a god.  Barbatos had been kind, and very welcoming of them, but gods were never exact copies of each other.  This being could be angry, and unwelcoming to the Twins.  

 

He got closer, and Aether saw that it was huge.  Possibly the largest living thing he had yet encountered up close on Teyvat.  He had seen Morax, and would estimate he was larger than this.  It was hard to get a good look at the beast, the lightning kept blinding Aether.  It was obvious however, that it was huge.  Aether hoped he would be able to meet this creature in the future.  Now, however, was not the ideal time.  The storm was picking up again.  He soon wouldn’t be adept enough to concentrate on anything but his dance.  This was the most powerful storm he had encountered in centuries.  The first few hours had been deceptively calm, and he had come to think this world did not have strong storms.  He was mistaken, and it was glorious.

 

<;>

 

The rain crashed and battered against him as he watched the little god dance.  It was impressive, how long it had lasted.  The tiny creature had gotten closer to him earlier, but had not been able to get a good view.  The rain had picked up and it had gone back to it’s dance.  Was this little god one of those Barbatos had met?  The sprite had come to him and in his high pitched voice told Dvalin of the beautiful golden haired gods from the stars.  He has spoken of the power they seemed to hold, yet how they seemed reluctant to take hostile measures. Dealing had come to see for himself.

 

Dvalin had flown over because the storm had worried him.  He had felt a presence here often lately.  It was just the little god’s luck that the storm had come on the same day as he.  The little god had looked overjoyed when the rain started to fall.  Dvalin had originally come to tell the little god to go back inside, but watching it dance had reminded him of his first flight.  The joyful freedom of life rushing through your blood.  So he had stayed, and now waited to make sure the little god was okay.  It would not do for a newcomer of this world to fall victim to a storm he could have helped them avoid.

 

So the little god would be safe.  He would not fall to this storm.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Thanks for reading this junk.

and to Why Does A Bird Have A Computer?,
thank you to all your wonderful ideas they have helped me get so many things figured out.

If you have a particular short story you want, comment and let me know. I'll try to write a one-shot about it? (One shots would be longer than 1,000 words!)

Chapter 8: sus

Notes:

Late update, oh well

I had a rigotta! reggatta? Rigatta? Reggetta? Sail boat race! XD

Chapter Text

GREEN SUS

(Sometime after training started)

Lutsen

 

It was morning.  Lutsen was not impressed.  Mornings never quite managed to live up to his expectation.  He did not see the point of why they always had to be so cold or wet.  The sun was never just right, it hung at a point where it got into your eyes constantly.  Back in Springvale, jokes were made about how his name would make you think he’d be a morning person.  He had laughed with them and promised to work on improving his moods.

 

Morning in the city was hectic.  Back home he had been one of the first people up to go hunting.  Here, it seemed as if the city never slept.  He could go to the plaza and see a bard playing soft tunes under the faint light of the statue any time he wished.  Mondstadt seemed to never rest, it was a city full of happy people spending their time in easy ways.  Lutsen loved it.  He could be himself here, fading into the background and watching the world go by.  His training had progressed nicely.  He met up with Amber five days a week, and got the other two off.  On his off days, Lutsen spent time practicing his agility.  The first day with Amber had shown him how lacking he was in that regard.  

 

He had also tried to learn more about Venti.  Lutsen wanted to know more about the man Jean was so hopeful to get as his teacher.  Unfortunately, it seemed Venti had gone off to Liyue to visit a friend.  He had been unable to get more from Charles, apparently nobody knew much about him.

 

What was known:

 

  • He arrived in Mondstadt four years ago
  • He was the best bard in the city
  • Diluc gave him wine even though he was underage
  • He knew every song anyone had ever asked him to play
  • Absolutely nothing else

 

Lutsen was somewhat surprised that so little was known about someone who was loved so much.  How could a person known by so many, be so stingy about who they were?  Master Diluc seemed to know him, but nobody wanted to approach the man about someone he obviously wanted as little to do with as possible.  Jean was also on his list of “people who know more about Venti”, but it wasn’t like he could just go up to her and interrogate her.

 

It was disappointing that he could not learn about Venti.  In fact, only Jean was the only person who had ever mentioned him having archery skill.  It was a bit surprising to Lutsen that Venti had skill with a bow.  Such a carefree guy didn’t seem like the one to wield a deadly weapon.  However, he did have a vision.  Perhaps, like Lutsen, he had taken up a weapon when he was gifted it?  

 

Lutsen then realised that he had wasted perhaps an hour of his day laying in bed pondering Venti.  He sighed and got up.  Breakfast.  He should eat breakfast.  He just really didn’t want to cook.  He also… might… not… have enough money stored up to be able to afford eating out every day.  And so, he had eggs every single day.  For all three meals.  Because he didn’t know how to cook, and didn’t care enough to learn.  He was doomed.  Utterly and completely doomed.  But that was alright.  It was fiiiiine!

 

Sara(sara is the cook right? ^^” too lazy) took pity on him.  In exchange for helping with a few deliveries each day, she would give him something to eat for every meal.  It was the best deal he had ever made.  Ever.  He had fresh pancakes for breakfast that morning.  They were light, and fluffy, and the fruit on them was so fresh he could cry.  In other words, heaven.  Heaven, and he didn’t even need to go anywhere to find it.

 

He waltzed out of the gates with a spring in his step and a grin on his face.  Today the storm around Mondstadt had lightened.  He was going to spend his day alone, how great was that?  No concerned citizens flitting around everywhere, giving him a headache.  No more high pitched squealing from the cute little kids, and best of all… no mysterious bard running around.

 

The day was warm, and Lutsen didn’t need to meet with Amber, so he decided to go to Windrise.  He had heard that it was a popular swimming spot.  It was rumored that a beautiful spirit lived there, and would meet with humans rarely.  It was said that on the rare occasion that she showed up, she would laugh and joke with them, impart to them advice, and share stories about the deities and Archons of the world.  It was said she was beautiful, but never courted the men and women who saw her.

 

Lutsen didn’t believe a word of it.  A beautiful woman hanging out by a river, giving travelers advice?  Seriously?  It sounded like a tourist trap in the making.  

 

It was a very nice place to swim however.  The water was crystal clear, and shaded by the giant tree.  The river was wide here, and the current was almost non-existent.  He was the only one there.  Most people didn’t dare leave the city as of late, and there would be no traveling merchants for another few weeks.  He was glad not to have to share with other folks.  While he didn’t object to company, it was nice to be left alone sometimes.  Especially when swimming.  He heard too many stories.  He acclimatized himself to the water before easing his back against the bank and allowing himself to doze off.  In such proximity to a Statue of the Seven and the holy tree, nothing would bother him.  This was the most relaxed Lutsen had been since arriving in Mondstadt.  The cold water felt wonderful on his sore back.  Amber had been pushing him to practice more than ever before.

 

He had not expected the cheerful girl to be such a taskmaster.  She was incredibly nice outside work, often treating him to lunch or a glass of wine at the Tavern.  Her demeanor changed as soon as she picked up her bow.  She got far more serious and expected him to put his all into everything.

 

It was with happy thoughts of being away from Amber that Lutsen fell asleep in the shade.

 

-<;>-

Chapter 9: geo

Notes:

hi.
if you have any questions feel free to comment and ask! i'm not busy...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

GOD OF CONTRACTS

Meeting zhongli…  With venti!

Aether and Venti are best buds

This is not close in time to the other chapters(after them)

 

A message came to them one day.  It arrived at the main door of their home in the middle of the day.  The Twins did not often get mail, instead preferring people to come right to them if they had need of something.  Of the two, only Lumine had ever been approached.  Aether was loved by all, but was also distant from the people.  He was the one the people worshipped.  The one everyone wanted to see, but nobody had the courage to approach.  When he led classes, or offered people help, however, the classes were full.  It would take days for him to help everyone on his list.

 

The message was left on the table, unopened, for hours.  The Twins were out.  They had organized a festival today, celebrating the city’s endurance and wishes for the future.  There were many games going on, and children running in the streets.  

 

In the middle of the city was a large green.  Vendors had set up stalls there, and children flew kites.  Lumine and Aether had gathered a group of children, and were teaching them games from their own homeworld.  Lumine was trying her best to get the kids into a circle.

 

“Okay!  Let’s teach you all a game Aether and I loved when we were kids.  It’s called Duck Duck Gray Duck!  You all get into a circle, sitting down, and I’ll choose someone to be “it”.  The children giggled and all flopped down onto the grass in a pile.  

 

Paimon came out from her extra space and joined the kids on the grass.  

 

“Okay, who wants to be “it”?  The “it” person goes around the circle tapping people on the head while saying duck, duck, duck, with every person they tap.  Until the “it” person says “gray duck”.  If the “it” person says “gray duck” when they tap on you, then you stand up and run around the group in a circle.  Try to run around the circle before the “it” person can tag you.  Aether and I will demonstrate.”

 

Lumine and Aether demonstrated a game.  Soon the children were climbing all over each other as they played.  It made the Twins smile to watch.  They had loved this game as children, and had played it whenever they could in summer.  The Twins and their friends had been inseparable, little terrors running around the palace disturbing the adults.  The day they had become too old for such games had been a sad one.  Their father had come to them and taken Aether away, saying he needed to learn how to become a king.  

 

Aether had come back to their room holding in tears.  As soon as he saw Lumine he had collapsed into her arms.  She had held him for what seemed like hours.  The next day, the Twins had said goodbye to their friends and left.  He had told her everything their father had told him.  They had decided never to return home.  They had cousins, one of them could take up the throne in Aether’s stead.  The two children had been young then.  It had been ages since they had forgotten their father’s name, which world was their home, they had even forgotten exactly how long they had been traveling.  They were free.  Free from the bonds of duty.  And they did not regret it.  Their friends would be grown now, probably wouldn’t even remember them, and their father would have passed on.  He had already been planning on doing so when they left.  Their world was used to change.  This one was not.  It needed help.

 

Tevat′s gods were young and inexperienced.  The people worshipped tyrants in the sky.  This world was still young.  It was still learning balance.

 

So the Twins organized celebrations, they taught the people how to survive.  They readied them in case the gods of Teyvat could not raise this world into a paradise.

 

The Twins made sure the children got the general gist of the game and moved on, helping merchants set up stalls and carts.  Aether was better at this sort of thing, so Lumine entertained the patrons with a clowny act.  She did flips and twists, and made starry illusions appear before the viewer’s eyes.  She drew quite the crowd while she waited for Aether to finish helping the merchants set up.  When he was done they went to the center of the square.  Lumine welcomed everyone and officially declared today the Festival of Lasting Peace.  

 

<;>

Lumine and Aether were exhausted.  It had been a very long day out in the sun.  The day had been a nice time to take a break and enjoy everything they had put so much effort into.  Sadly, they had just been putting off work until the night.  Lumine sat at her desk and started writing a list of everything needed to be done.

 

  • We don’t have enough raw materials (silk, wood, salt)  How to fix??
  • Need an easier way to get water from the lake to city
  • Housing, food, check up on people’s well being
  • Revise trading terms with Wandering Folk??  
  • Meet with Archons Geo, Pyro, and Dendro.
  • Set up trade with the nations?  Mondstadt has wood…

 

Lumine had Aether come over and look over the list.  He added a few more notes.

 

  • Start a mining operation?  Stone for homes instead of wood?
  • Need a more efficient farming method in the awful soil

 

The people spent lots of time working their farms so that they could survive the driest seasons.  Not that it was ever wet in Sternenlicht… Aether and Lumine wanted to make it easier for them to get food.  Perhaps then they could expand and establish connections with the main world?  Maybe they would have more time with their families… 

 

Lumine yawned and Aether decided she had worked enough for the night.  He dragged her to bed, promising they would work on the list the next morning.  Lumine gave in.  Her big brother could be very insistent when it came to resting and health.

 

<;>

 

Aether was reading a letter when she woke up.  He grinned and tossed Lumine the note.  

 

“I think we should go.  You can negotiate your trade routes too.  We get to meet his best friend and help our home grow.”

 

The letter was on soft, pliable paper.  Lumine recognized the handwriting.  It was Barbatos’, of course Aether wanted to go, if he got to see the one person he had actually managed to befriend.  The letter was short, and jolly.  

 

Hola mis amigas!  I’m going to meet my buddy next week!  You should come, you wanted to meet the Geo Archon anyway right?  Oh, and you may want to dress warmly, it’s in the mountains :)

Your most wonderful friend, the one and only Anemo Archon 

 

Lumine looked at Aether “You’re teaching him Spanish?”

 

Aether smiled happily.  “He asked me to teach him a language from another world. I think he wants to be able to sing in another language to impress more people and get more wine. I promised to teach him some traditional songs in Spanish too”. 

 

Lumine imagined Barbatos singing and dancing in a sombrero. She couldn’t wait for him to be fluent in the language. She would eagerly await the inevitable performance Venti would put in for them. Now however, she needed to plan.

 

“We need to bring some supplies, possibly treaty papers? Hmmmm, food or wine to give as a gift… she walked off, muttering

 

“well. We are agreed on meeting Barbatos’ friend?”, Aether said, running to catch up.

 

“Yes brother, we are. Maybe you can get a new friend while we’re there. Finally get a social life. Then you can live there and I’ll never have to deal with you ever again.  I can only hope.”

 

Aether choked and lunged at Lumine. 

 

“Lumine! Don’t be mean!”

 

Lumine giggled and wiggled out from where Aether had pinned her. She was having fun with this, and Aether needed some prodding, he hadn’t been riled up in a while. 

 

“You do know that the average lifespan of the people here is about 70 years right?  So you should have moved out centuries ago?”

 

Lumine and Aether had been traveling for millenia, but by the standards of their own people were still young. They may even still be considered children if they went home in the next 6,000 years.  Lumine and Aether had stopped counting their age thousands of years ago, but they still knew that they were older than this entire world.

 

<;>

 

It was a cloudy day when Aether and Lumine set off for Mondstadt. They had agreed to meet up with Barbatos beforehand. They did not know where to go, after all.  

 

Barbatos was waiting for them by the statue where they had first met.  He was performing for a reasonably sized crowd. The song he sang was in a language the Twins did not know.  They assumed it was Old Mondstadtian.  The song he sang was a somber ballad. It was likely about the history of Mondstadt.  He gave no sign of noticing the twins, but when he was done dismissed the crowd with a plea for wine or mora.  He jumped up to where the twins were waiting. 

 

“Welcome travelers!  Shall we head off to Liyue?  I can show you the way.  I’ll bring my old buddy Morax a bottle of wine.  My dear friends, how are you? Because I am feeling quite fine.”

 

Lumine focused on ignoring the bad rhymes and understanding what he was saying.  Barbatos rhymed more when he was excited she had noticed.  

 

“Where are we going Bar- uuh. Should I say that in public?  It seemed like you didn’t want didn’t want to be noticed the last time we were here.  Anyway though, please lead the way to our rendezvous.”

 

Barbatos looked a little surprised.  He had not yet told the twins what he went by in public?  Whaaaaat?!  That was normally the first thing he did!  Though his oversight could perhaps, be blamed on the distraction of dealing with politics whenever they met up. 

 

“Hehe, you can call me Venti!  Winner of the Best Bard of Mondstadt competition three years running!  Let’s get heading off to Liyue now, best not keep ol’ Rexie waiting!  We… erm… need to go… uhhh… south maybe?  Or was it West… I think it was South!  If we get so lost we never find it, Morax will send someone to come get us!  To Liyue!!”

 

<;>

 

They made it to Liyue in short order. Despite Venti’s original uncertainty of where they were going. He had remembered the path as they had gone, and it was a nice day so he could see far into the distance.  Aether and Lumine followed along happily. It was a very nice day so they didn’t mind wandering a bit. 

 

Venti regaled them with stories as they went. He was very proud of Mondstadt, and all they had accomplished. He told them about the revolution, and his little bard friend. The twins were intrigued at that little bit of magic. They forced him to tell them how they did it. He quickly explained it and soon the twins were switching between forms as if they had done it their whole lives. 

 

Venti was amazed. It had cost him a huge amount of energy to form this body. And here, in the twins, was a seemingly never ending stream of energy. It wasn’t elemental energy either. He did not recognize it. Venti would have to ask Aether later. Once they were out of earshot of his sister. That lady was FIERCE. He didn’t even know why… it wasn’t a protective sort of fierce either.  She simply teased them constantly about being immature douchbags.  

 

But that was later.  Right now, the twins were blowing his mind. They were impressive in every form.  If they turned into a phoenix, their feathers were the color of the sun and glowed even more.  A dragon, and scales shone brighter than every star in the sky.  Lumine grinned, and her normally clothlike wings morphed into feathery ones.  Venti was amazed. Lumine’s wings were the most beautiful thing he had ever seen.  they were huge, and the color of cream, and they looked so soft, and he wished his own were that perfect.  If the two twins ever teamed up Venti was doomed to death by spontaneous combustion.  The twins just worked like that.  

 

Aether flew a little ahead to enjoy the scenery.  Venti had learned that he loved mountainous terrain, and he wouldn’t be lying if he said he was just a little jealous from the look on Aether’s face as he flew among the stone pillars.  He wished Zhongli wouldn’t blow his out of the sky whenever he tried to fly here.  And speaking of Zhongli, they were almost there.

 

<;>

 

The meeting place was high atop a mountain.  Lumine tried to hide how impressed she was by the beauty and majesty of this place.  A table was laid out with food and drink.  This must be the table Barbatos had told them the Archons often met at.  Being welcomed at this same table was an honor to the twins.  They were often met with hostility, or treated as simple nuisances.  It pleased Lumine that Barbatos had chosen such a friend as this.  He had only announced that he would be bringing visitors last minute, and yet they were met with kindness and welcome.  

 

Morax himself was seated at the table facing away from them.  As they landed he stood and walked toward them.  He was tall, with long brown hair cascading down his back.  He wore a long brown overcoat, with perfectly stitched embellishments.  He seemed ready for when Venti launched himself into his arms.  He only smiled softly and returned the embrace.  He looked over the Archon in his arms to the twins where they stood back a bit to give the two a bit of privacy.

 

“Please, honored guests.  Come sit and dine.  Barbatos can take care of introductions.  It has been a while since I saw him, if you would fill me in on what he has been doing it would be much appreciated.”  He frowned a little.  “Drinking himself to oblivion no doubt.”

 

Venti squawked a protest and Aether shot him a look.  It was true that he had drunk quite a lot as of late, and Morax knew it.  

 

Lumine already found that she liked this man.  He could put up with Venti, seemed to be very patient, and had been incredibly welcoming to them.  In other words, the perfect business partner with which to set up a trade route.

 

However, it was best to be polite first.  She valued kindness nearly as much as she loved her people.  Which was to say, she would fly to a thousands worlds to make sure they were safe.  She may not lord over her people, but they were still her and Aether’s responsibility.  They would always step in and take the reins if the city needed it.  Saying this however, the twins were not as lax as Barbatos.  They had set rules for their people.  They were present in day to day life.  And they were able to meet with Archons to make plans to help their city.

 

She waited a proper amount of time before mentioning the business side of the reason they had come.  Morax responded with curiosity, and they got to bargaining.  Aether piped up and pointed out whenever he noticed something not quite balanced between the sides.  And Barbatos entertained them while they talked.  He did not show much interest, but Lumine knew he was listening just as intently as the negotiators.  Venti was new to this kind of thing, and watching Morax work was a great way to learn how to deal with the other gods of Teyvat.  And so even whimsical Barbatos listened to Morax when it was in his best interests.

 

<;>

 

It took hours, but eventually a path of action was decided upon.  The twins would use their powers to create devices that allowed humans to travel large distances in a matter of minutes.  They had gotten the idea for the devices from their home, where many similar contraptions were utilized.  The devices, called waypoints, would be placed at strategic locations around the world.  Month long pilgrimages would be possible to complete in under a day.  And they required no maintenance once they were made.  They could last millenia, and it took godlike power to destroy them.

 

With the waypoints, merchants would be able to reach the oasis city of Sternenlicht without having to brave the deadly Mare Jivari.  Business would be able to thrive, and the people of Sternenlicht would have even more materials with which to craft wonders worth entire houses in the nations.  The excursion had been a success.  They had helped their people, and made a new friend in Morax.

 

-<;>-

 

Notes:

i hope you liked the longer chapter! dont get used to it though ;-;

Chapter 10: idk honestly

Summary:

character guide

Notes:

Hi! this story needs a new name and description, i would love some help~!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

This is now the charcater guide. If i spell something wrong in this chpater im not editing it. >:) There might be spoilers for future chapters here. Be warned! I MEAN IT THERE ARE SPOILERS

Lumine: Sister to Aether, Younger Sibling, Immortal, very good friends with Zhongli
Aether: Older Sibling, Immortal. Best buds with Venti, currently out of the picture for the reason in chapter 20 ish
Venti: (barbatos) God of anemo,
Lutsen: main character, Mid 20 yrs old, at least one sibling, intelligent, curious, learning things most people with never hear
Zhongli: (morax), a dear friend of the twins, god of geo -\_*u*_/-
Jean: knows who venti is, has heard of sternenlicht... lusten is a little scared of her.
Amber: lutsen’s teacher and friend
Diluc: grumpy man who won't give lutsen any info, dad is dead. kaeya is the one reason he gets up in the morning, knows who venti is Kaeya: charismatic man who won't give lutsen any info. never fought with diluc that night, forced his brother to stay alive after he quit the knights, knows who venti is Celestia: floating island, source of everyones problems

Nym: ily 😭

 

this chapter will be added to. let me know if I should add anyone!

Notes:

blurg guys. blurg this used to actually BE a chapter XD

Chapter 11: Third attempt

Notes:

Hello everybody. I would like to ask you all to completely disregard and forget what used to be the previous chapter. I have turned it into a character guide for ya'll's convenience. Thank you, and I apologize if I caused any confusion. Feel free to comment with questions or suggestions.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

THIS IS... TRY THREE

Let's hope it works, yeah?

Lutsen

 

Lutsen woke up slowly from his nap.  He looked up at the sun and noticed it was hours later.  His skin was wrinkly, much like a prune.  He climbed out of the water and realized he had nothing to dry off with.  Not one to be kept in the dumps for too long, he simply accepted this and began the walk back.  

 

It had been a nice day when he went to sleep, but now the sky was becoming stormy and grey.  He would have to rush home before the wind picked up again.  The weather always seemed to be safe in the city, they had not had any casualties from people staying in Mondstadt during the storm.  Lutsen was just lucky the storm had not hit while he was outside the city.  The winds were known to throw people into the sky, they would be found miles away.  Lutsen hadnt lost anyone to the wind storms yet, though his family had not chosen to come to the city.  He was worried about them, the area of safety around Springvale was much smaller than that of Mondstadt.  He was just glad they didnt live alone on a farm, individual structures did not seem to be protected from the storm.  He had seen reports of houses blown away and families declared missing.  

 

It was a sobering thought, as he swiftly walked back to Mondstadt, that he would never see some of the families his parents were friends with.  His mother had grown up on a farm before marrying his father.  It could just have easily been his family that was lost to the winds.  

 

It was reassuring to Lutsen that his parents had always been in possession of much common sense.  They would not leave the house without absolute requirement until it was declared safe by the Knights of Favonius.  They were much smarter than him in this regard, he was lucky he had woken up before the storms picked up again.  Nobody would have known where he was if he never returned after the day was up.

 

<;>

 

Lutsen was settling down for the night after returning home and cooking himself an egg(the 72nd he had eaten since arrival in Mondstadt), when he noticed his notebook open on the table.  He had forgotten all about the list he had made that morning.  He decided to investigate, he had the rest of today and tomorrow to be a detective.  

 

He took out the pitifully small list, with luck he would be able to find a few more tidbits of information.

 

  • He arrived in Mondstadt four years ago
  • He was the best bard in the city
  • Diluc gave him wine even though he was underage
  • He knew every song anyone had ever asked him to play
  • Absolutely nothing else

 

Lutsen figured the best place to start would likely be the Angel's Share, where he often frequented.  If Master Diluc was bartending, maybe he could get some information from him.  Master Diluc was an intimidating man, but Lutsen was curious enough to try asking.

 

The Angel's Share was busy tonight, with every table filled.  Master Diluc was at the bar, as he had hoped, and was speaking with Captain Kaeya.  That put a bit of a damper in his plan.  It was well known that when the two of them got to talking they could go on for hours.  As he watched however, Venti walked up to the two and pulled Kaeya aside.  He ordered for them and took Kaeya to a table at the back of the building.  They faced away from the crowd as they spoke, so Lutsen could not read their emotions.  

But that didn’t matter right now.  It would be rude to interrogate Venti himself, so instead he had his sights set on Diluc.  And if Master Diluc didn’t give him anything, then he supposed he could ask around the tavern.  There were plenty of regulars here tonight, they would likely know things about Venti that he hadn’t heard yet.  But first, Master Diluc.  

When he walked up to the counter, Master Diluc was mixing a drink for a customer.  He sat down on one of the stools to begin questioning.

“Master Diluc, would you be willing to answer a few questions about Venti?”  He tentatively asked.

“No.”

“Not a single one?”  

“Correct.”

“Is there a reason, Sir?”

 

“I make it a point not to share information about my patrons.  Go bother someone else if you’re so desperate to spy.”

 

Lutsen quietly stood up and backed away.  Plan A had come to an abrupt and final conclusion, no he would not be given information.  Oh well, it was a good thing Lutsen had a plan B.  He approached the bard standing near the door.  Bards often watched the world go ‘round, looking for inspiration.  Plus, he probably kept a tight watch on his competition.  He would likely have information about Venti.  

<;>

 

As the night went on, Lutsen discovered many small tidbits of information about Venti.  None of them added up to much, but at least he could add to his list.  From the bard by the door he discovered that when Venti got drunk, which seemed to happen surprisingly rarely, he would get very mellow and complain(whine) about the absence of a dearly loved friend with golden hair.  From a mahogany haired nun, he learned that Venti had walked into Mondstadt(and existence) on a sunny Friday morning.  She had said that nobody had ever heard of him before he walked through the gates strumming a joyful tune and singing in a foreign language.  The nun said children loved him, and he was asked to compete in the Best Bard of Mondstadt Competition, which he promptly won.  Three times in a row.

 

He had not been able to get anything else from the patrons inside the tavern.  Little was known about Mondstadt’s favorite bard.  In the center square however, he had gained tidbits of information from nearly everyone.  Lutsen had learned that Venti seemed to love the stars, moon, and sun, singing beautiful ballads about them whenever he was asked to sing about what he loved.  It was almost like these were entities, people the bard knew personally. The bard had a penchant for trouble, he learned from a slightly frustrated old lady.

 

“That young fellow in green?  Why, he’s always running around stirring up a ruckus!  I caught him sleeping on my roof once, dead drunk.  And another time, he was up sitting on dear Barbatos’ statue!  The nerve of that boy.  I got him down right quick, don’t you worry.  He didn’t even seem sorry, just laughed and ran off, saying something about a meeting with a princess he had to get too.  Just another one of his fanciful stories I’ll expect.  No respect for the elderly I tell you.  Not. A. Bit.  Oh, oh!  And have I told you about the time he tried to shoot one of my cats?  Blamed it on an allergy, but I’ll say he just wanted an excuse to get rid of one of my cats.  It’s no secret he doesn’t like them much.  The way he did it though!  Pulled out a- a big BOW, and he tried to shoot my dear Casper.  And from up close, too.  I mean, if you absolutely must shoot my cats then do it from a challenging range you know what I’m saying?  This is the City of Freedom, the boy can do what he pleases, but he could learn a good lesson from those Liyueans.  They’re all so wonderfully polite my dear boy!  If you ever want a nice time, the folks down in Quince are glorious people.  This Venti could stand to learn a little patience from them… hmph.  Well, he’s no longer welcome in my home is all I can say.  That Venti, he is just the most interesting lad.  Don’t go down his path dear, you’d do well in a nice job like… say… carpentry.  Yes, a strong young man like you would do well in such a respected profession.  Anyhoo, I’m off to breakfast with the ladies, I won't keep you waiting on little old me.”

 

THAT had been the longest ten minutes of Lutsen’s life.(And the best ten minutes of mine)  Over the course of the day Lutsen had learned more and more about the mysterious bard.  But nothing important .  He didn’t learn where Venti came from, he wasn’t sure how old he was(underage), and he didn’t seem to have any family in Mondstadt.  All he knew was that Venti had a cat allergy, was hated by most of the old folks in the city, knew any song you’d ever heard of, and had a best friend that seemed to be MIA.  

 

All in all, a productive day.  Not as productive as he had hoped, but productive all the same.  Perhaps tomorrow he could ask around the Favonius Headquarters...

 

-<;>-

Notes:

As always, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoyed it!

Chapter 12: pfft

Notes:

This chapter isn't finished but I ran out of inspiration so you know what? I'm posting it anyway.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

MISUNDERSTANDINGS ARE HARD TO WRITE

 

Aether had received an invitation, and he was trying his best to figure out how to respond without having to sacrifice about eighty carrier pidgins.  From what Aether could tell, Barbatos wanted to introduce him to his friends.  Aether had noticed that Lumine's name was not on the invitation, so it must be a day for causing anonymous chaos and not being responsible for anything.

 

So back to the original problem, question, conundrum.  How to tell Lumine he'd be gone for a while, but keep her from prying into his plans?  She was awfully nosy; a perfect little sister, but it could be rather annoying.  And Lumine seemed to think she needed to be there for anything he was doing.  Aether was pretty sure it was so that she could find good inspiration with which to tease him.  She teased him a lot.  Way too much in his opinion.  But oh well, she was his sister.  It happened.  

 

<;> 

 

Finding a way to respond to Barbatos without killing every bird in the aviary(it was a very long distance)… might be a problem.  He had mentioned dandelion messages once, but the only plants here were the ones they cultivated for food.  Lumine wouldn’t want to let him grow weeds anyway.  Even if they were considered flowers here.  Old habits die hard.  He could just show up, but that would be rude. 

 

<;>

 

Aether eventually just talked to Lumine and bribed(and bullied a little) her to stay away for a day.  He had carefully made sure there were no loopholes in which she could squeeze through, she was amazingly good at that.  Then he had sent Paimon to Barbatos with a note informing him of when Aether would arrive.  She had complained at first, but when she remembered that Mondstadt gave her free food she was willing to go.  MORE than willing.  So willing, in fact, that he could barely keep her long enough to tell her that he would pick her up after the sun set.  Paimon had then shot off in the direction of Mondstadt with speed only the twins could beat.

 

<;>

 

Aether was flying over the Mare Jivari, and it looked like it would be a beautiful night.  There were not many clouds above the dunes, and there was a nice breeze blowing down from the north.  The light wind was speeding him along his journey.  Easy flights under the sun like this were what he lived for.  The temporary absence of responsibility, the future chasing him, made him feel as if there wasn’t a care in the world.  

 

<;>

 

Barbatos was hoping Aether would arrive soon.  He was getting quite bored here.  He had gone to the tavern to wait until the decided time.  The trip would take only a few moments, but he wanted to arrive early.  It would be awful if he was late.  Barbatos knew Aether would understand but… he should make sure he was on time.

 

When he arrived, he noticed that it was a very nice day.  He had been inside all morning.  The wind played with his hair as he settled down to wait, playing a song for the nearby animals.  It was a beautiful day, and he now regretted not being outside earlier.  As he sang, crystalflies gathered around him.  He had noticed them often when he was outside recently. Since the twins had arrived, Teyvat seemed to be exploding with nature.

Like Barbatos, aether loved freedom.  It made him wounded why the twins had settled down. Even more so than him.  Aether could leave with a moment’s notice, he wasn’t even tied to one world.  Barbatos loved listening to his stories, and he could tell that Aether loved traveling more than anything.  The fact that Aether could spread his wings and leave Teyvat without even a moment's preparation was terrifying, and yet… he felt like maybe he was helping keep Aether here just a little longer.  However long the fallen star stayed, he would be ever grateful for the time he had been able to help Lumine ground her wanderlusting brother. 

 

<;>

 

It was about an hour later when Aether arrived.  He landed carefully in front of him and grinned.  

 

“I'm here!  What did you have planned?  I uh, hope you didn't want Lumine to come too… I left her at home.”

 

Barbatos was glad Aether had gotten the right info from the message.  He had wanted to spend a day with just Aether.  Lumine was wonderful, yes, but she could also be very annoying.  And Aether was different without Lumine around.  Aether had at first seemed quite shy and composed, but the first time Barbatos had managed to get him away from Lumine he had seemed to become a whole new person. Chaos was much easier to spread when neither of them were holding back.  

 

Barbatos had been amazed how many things the two twins had done.  Lumine had never told any stories, and he had never thought to ask Aether.  But once they were alone, Aether had referenced something Barbatos didn't understand.  When asked, Aether had told him a story about a world where people fought with swords of light and controlled objects with their minds.  The explanation had just given him more questions.

 

“Well, as wonderful and amazing as I am… I thought you might like to meet some of my friends, Aether!  It’s a short flight to where they live, but that’s no problem for us.  What do you say?  I think you’ll like them.”

 

Aether agreed to meet these unnamed friends of Barbatos’.  The letter had mentioned them, and he was interested in what type of friends a god had in this world.  In other worlds such friends had been other immortals, or similar traveling beings such as him.

 

<;>

 

True to Barbatos’ word, the flight to where his friends lived was quick.  It was in some woods that Aether had forgotten the name of.  They were shady, and had an air of mystery about them.  It seemed a perfect place to live in quiet, blissful, solitude.  Something Aether would never do.  He would never live on any world without Lumine.  It was simply not an option he would ever consider.  

 

They arrived at an arena.  And in it was a huge greatsword stabbed into the ground.  Barbatos grinned and flew towards it. 

 

“HEEEEEEY ANDRIUS I KNOW YOU’RE HOME!!!!!!!!  Come meet my friend!”  He landed, and his wings disappeared into his back.  Aether set down beside him, and was about to ask where his friend was when blue mist suddenly appeared all around him.  He tensed and drew his sword.  Barbatos looked resigned to his fate.  What fate that was however, Aether did not know.

 

The mist swirled around them, and Aether saw a beast appear in front of him.  His wings lifted him off the ground as he prepared to fight this monster.  Barbatos sighed and lifted himself out of the arena , trying to convince Aether to stay with a faint “Meet my friend, he’s really quite nice once you get to know him”, and a hesitant smile on his face.

 

The beast, Andrius, had come dangerously near to Aether, who was on edge from being unprepared to fight. Perhaps this was Venti’s friend, but that didn’t matter if the great wolf attacked.

 

“Prove yourself, oh child of the stars.  Show that you are worthy of the trust you have been given.  You must be able to protect yourself if you are to protect this world.”  The wolf swiped one of his great paws at Aether, and he was forced to fly higher in order to dodge.  A powerful gust of wind suddenly sent him tumbling from the air, and he crashed into the ground.  Aether realized this wolf wasn’t playing around, it was truly trying to kill him.  He and Lumine had trusted Barbatos, but it seemed they had been wrong to.

 

He sprinted away from the wolf as it leaped toward him, trying to get to the edge of the arena.  If he could climb the edge of the arena he could fly home.  He could easily subdue this spirit, but… old spirits like this could be good for a developing world.   

 

<;>

 

Barbatos watched as Aether ran towards the far end of the arena.  Was introducing him to Andrius first a bad idea?  Aether looked a bit angry down there… Maybe Andrius was trying a bit too hard?  The old wolf sure did like fighting.  He challenged everyone that came into his territory.  It was probably not a great way to meet someone now that he thought about it.  And Aether especially… Barbatos had noticed that the man had some trust problems.  Knowing just how old Aether was, though, he was probably used to being betrayed and shunned.  

 

So yeah, he might need to apologize to Aether.  Soon, before he and his sister hightailed it out of Teyvat.  He didn’t want to lose him too.  Barbatos could introduce him later.  For now, he should save the poor guy from his friend.  Before he lost the star’s trust for good.  

 

“Andrius!  You’re pushing a little hard, you know!  Why don’t the two of you let it up for today?  We can come back later and he can prove himself.  Maybe… if he ever talk to me again.”

 

Barbatos hoped Aether would understand that he had brought him here in good will.  He realized now that he should have warned Aether beforehand. Barbatos should have told Aether that the old wolf liked fighting.  This was all his fault.  If he lost Aether’s trust because of this… he had no excuse, no one else to blame. 

 

<;>

 

Aether wasn't doing so great.  His wings hurt, they would probably be too sore to fly tomorrow.  He could hear Barbatos calling out, no doubt leading the wolf spirit on, but he could not make out exact words from around the ringing in his ears.  He was getting trounced, refraining from hurting this spirit was going to get him killed.  But his goal remained the same: to help Teyvat until it's deities could take care of it themselves.  Killing one of the oldest beings currently on Teyvat would not be smart.   

 

And suddenly, the barrage of wind and ice stopped.  He took the chance and rocketed into the sky.  He flew as far east as his wings would take him before collapsing onto the ground.  That fight had taken too much out of him.  He had become lazy.  He should have been able to subdue the wolf in seconds, not fly for his life the second he got a chance.  He would have to build up his strength again, this world would require it.  

 

He saw Barbatos flying towards him, and sat up.  He would fight without holding back if he must.  Barbatos was still young enough for it not to matter as much as if he had killed the wolf.  So he stood, and drew his sword.  His wings would be useless here, and that put him at a disadvantage.  But here he wouldn't hold back.

 

<;>

 

Aether was on the ground.  Barbatos had watched him fly off and had followed.  He was worried, Andrius had been throwing Aether around the arena.  That couldn't be good for him.  Though he had expected Aether to do a little better, he was older than Teyvat itself.

 

He hadn’t made it far before he landed.  Was he hurt?  Had Barbatos missed something?  There had been ice flying around everywhere, it was possible he hadn’t noticed Aether get hit.  Or did he maybe want to give Barbatos a chance to explain?  Aether had always been the patient twin.  The one willing to listen. It was Venti’s only hope.

 

But when he got closer, he saw that the star had his sword out.  This might not go as well as he had hoped...

 

“Aether!  I promise that wasn’t what you thought!”  Barbatos stayed out of Aether’s range, getting hit was not on his bucket list at the moment.  “Andrius never meant to truly hurt you.  He just doesn't know how far to go.  Please, forgive me.  I should have warned you first.”  He didn’t know what else to say, he had never been good at this kind of thing.  He must have said something right though, because Aether’s expression seemed to relax.  Barbatos explained more about Andrius and his somewhat… ferocious attitude.  As he explained, Aether relaxed more and more.

 

Barbatos was relieved.  He had started this conversation with a very real fear of being stabbed.  Now, Aether was leaning with his back against a tree listening to him talk.  All in all, the best outcome he could have ever expected.  

 

<;>

 

Aether’s wings hurt.  Badly.  He wanted to listen to Barbatos, he really did, but the pain was distracting him.  It was alright however, he had heard enough to feel safe once more.  It had been a misunderstanding, and he was relieved that that was all it had been.  Anything worse, and he would have been a goner.

 

As it was, he needed to get home quickly.  The twins had been in enough dangerous situations that both had long since mastered the skill of healing.  Ha, mastered.  They could heal anything.  Death was a harder situation, but certainly possible!  So yeah, he would be fine.  If he could get to Lumi…  He needed an excuse to leave.  He could say he had to pick up Paimon, he had never actually told Barbatos when he would be leaving.  Aether had told Paimon though… he might need to bribe her with even more food.  Oh well, Sternenlicht had plenty.  They had long since learned to plan for her crazy appetite, which actually got even larger in winter months.  He hoped Barbatos fell for his lie, or at least just didn’t question his need to leave.  At this point he wasn’t even remotely sure he could make it all the way across the Mare Jivari.

 

Luck was not on Aether’s side.



<;>

 

Barbatos immediately saw through the lie.  It worried him, Aether had never lied to him before.  He let it go for a bit though.  He knew Aether had secrets, and in the course of forever, they hadn’t known each other for even a moment.  But he still worried.  Aether was an honest person.  So far as he knew… 

 

So he watched as Aether got up.  Which meant he saw the wince when he lifted his wings, the deep breath before he lifted off.  And he worried.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

As always: I love comments in the form of ideas to write, constructive criticsm(idk how to spell), and just general happiness.

Next chapter, which I haven't even started yet, will have: lisa, jean, the hilichurl girl, and maybe klee

It's summer now, so I'll either write way more or way less. Who knows??!! XD

Chapter 13: cat girl gets mentioned

Summary:

lutsen learns more about venti

Notes:

hi. i finished writing this chapter ten seconds ago :)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

ASTROLOGISTS ARE SCARY

 

Day two of investigating Venti this weekend dawned grey and stormy.  Like most days in Mondstadt recently.  Lutsen was entering the Knights of Favonius Headquarters, today he was going to ask around the knights.  Most of them… Not Jean.  Jean was obviously close to him.  She might take that how Diluc had taken it. >.<  

 

So he asked everyone else.  Here’s what they said:

 

Info from Kaeya:  “Venti?  You should really ask my brother.  But sure, I know things about him.  What would you like to know?  And on the same thread, how much are you willing to pay for the information?

 

Amber:  “The bard?  He’s wonderful at gliding.  Sometimes it’s as if he doesn’t even need the wind glider!  Hmm… I’m not sure he has a license though.  *Sigh*  Why do people never follow the rules?”

 

Lisa:  “Oh yes I know him.  He’s been in Mondstadt for a few years now.  He’s quite interesting at parties.  And I believe all of Mondstadt agrees with me.  Well if you want to know more about him, I suppose you could research the origins of the songs he sings.  Here, let me show you the books on music history.  Who knows, maybe you’ll find something enlightening

     

Eula:  “The bard has always been very kind.  He does not seem to care about my lineage.  He

 has given me many reasons for vengeance.  The list is longer than even dear Amber’s.  One day, I will learn how he has discovered my family’s secrets.  Until then however, I have no quarrel with him.”

 

Albedo:  “Yes I know Venti.  I have long been interested in the exact way he colors his hair.  Is it a dye compound?  Such as lamp grass or mist flower?  Or is it a genetic mutation, something Venti naturally has?  Hmm, well no matter, I will unlock his secrets eventually.”

 

Rosaria:  “I’m not a knight, don’t include me in your foolish little plan.”

 

Noell:  “Venti?  He doesn’t ever have anything for me to do, he’s always telling me to take a break and relax.  I do very much like his music though.  Miss Lumine says it’s “worthy of the gods”.  I’m inclined to agree with her.

 

Sucrose:  Venti is so chaotic… It’s a wonder Mister Albedo even lets him into the lab at all, much less every Tuesday.  I only wish I knew what they were doing in there… the knowledge to be gained~  *sigh*  I suppose I’ll just have to hope they invite me in one day.”

 

Bennett:  Oh hey Lutsen!  Heh, I’m here because I came to apply for a gliding permit!  I think I’ll actually get it this time!  Oh, Venti?  He’s so nice!  Whenever he comes on adventures with me I never get hurt!  It’s almost like he’s an anti bad luck charm!  If only I had one of those to carry around…”

 

Barbara:  “Well, I’m in a bit of a hurry to leave, so I’m sorry I can’t say much.  But I think Venti is on a path to redemption!  Sister Rosaria thinks I’m wrong though.  She says Venti would have no chance even if Lord Barbatos descended from the heavens.”

 

Klee:  “Lutsen! Lutsen!  Klee wants to go fish blasting~!  (He kinda maybe sorta didn’t get a chance to ask about Venti.)

 

Mona:  You should have come to me first, fool boy.  Venti is quite the enigma, here let me tell you what I know.  He is-  aaaagh!  This wind!  I’m sorry, I can’t, meet me at the front gates tonight!  My hat!  No, no!  I thought the winds were supposed to be gentle heeere!

 

<;>

And that was all the questioning he got through before he got distracted by the offer of food from Diona.  He had bonded with her over general dislike of Venti.  While her hatred stemmed from the bard’s love of alcohol, and his just from the man’s strangeness, the two got along very well.  They often went to Good Hunter to eat together and watch the strange going ons of Mondstadt.  

 

When night fell, Lutsen parted ways with Diona and went to meet Mona.  She was sitting on the edge of the bridge, within shouting distance of the guards, but outside normal speaking earshot.  How Lutsen knew this, he wasn’t sure.  Maybe those lessons Amber gave him were finally starting to sink in.  When he walked up to her she got right to business.  

 

“I have tried to view the Bard’s constellation, and while I can find it in the sky, if I try to view it it appears murky and undefined.  This leads me to believe that something, or somebody, is obscuring it.  When I was taught astrology, I learned that only the twin gods of the stars could tamper with the sky like this.  This leads me to think that Venti has some connection with these gods.  I have heard stories of an ancient city ruled by these twins.  I want to go there.  But for now I must warn you, be careful of Venti.  To win a god’s favor is not an easy task.  And he has the Anemo Archons favor as well.

 

<;>

 

On that happy note, Mona stood up and left.  Leaving Lutsen just a little confused.  He had STARTED the day investigating Venti, and ENDED the day being warned to stay away like Venti was a criminal.  Instead of getting the message, Lutsen was now even more interested.  Who were these twin gods Mona had spoken of?  How had a bard like Venti gotten their attention?  Unfortunately he had to go back to training with Amber tomorrow, or he would have found a way to get even more information.   He didn’t have the time he wanted for his project.  But he could wait a few days until he got another break.  It was time to go back to focusing on his job.  

 

His training had been progressing very nicely.  Amber had recently told him she was expecting him to be given a promotion.  To be a knight soon.  He was excited, this would be a nearly record breaking time to complete training.  He wasn’t sure he was ready, but he was fully willing to start taking on more duties.

Notes:

this chapter is kinda like the one that i replaced. Let me know of it was too abrupt and strange. I just... didn't know how to start including my plot into the story

im going camping on the upcoming weekend, there might not be an update

Chapter 14: next up... aether might be on fire!

Summary:

he was hurt in the last chpater. yes that is how that word is spelled X(

Notes:

HI! The first half of this chpater was written two weeks ago, the second half... well... yeah

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

LET’S START WITH VENTI POV THIS TIME

I wrote something.  And you know what?  IT DIDN'T SYNC TO MY COMPUTER

 

It didn’t surprise Barbatos when Aether only flew a little ways before landing again.  But it did worry him.  He had never seen Aether so tired he couldn’t fly.  He had heard stories from Lumine about Aether working himself too hard, but this was a different story.  Was he hurt?  Or just so exhausted that he had collapsed?  

 

He propelled himself forward to Aether, and landed next to him.  Aether had landed and fallen to his knees.  Barbatos leaned down to look Aether in the eyes, and what he saw was not encouraging.  Aether’s eyes were clouded with pain.  He doubted Aether even recognized him at this point.  Which was… not encouraging, to say the least.  A powerful god like Aether, (was he a god?) if he panicked and attacked, could spell ruin for this corner of Mondstadt.  But that wasn’t his main worry.  Aether was obviously in a LOT of pain, and yet Barbatos couldn’t tell what was injured.  

 

If Aether bled out because Barbatos wasn’t perceptive enough to find the wound, Lumine would kill him.  And then she would find him in his next life and kill him again.  Lumine was like that.  And the fact that she wouldn’t have been there for it…  They were twins, and she had been there for him for the dawnings and terminations of worlds.  Lumine WOULD be there when Aether died.  Which meant Barbatos had better get a move on and figure out where the wound was.

 

Unfortunaaatlyyyy… he wasn’t good at that sort of medical thing.  (or any sort of medical thing) Only with enough luck to cover the entire world with syrup, would he ever be able to find what was wrong with Aether.  His thoughts raced, should he try to help Aether on his own?  Take him to Mondstadt for professional healing?  Barbatos could get rid of his wings, but he had never seen Aether without them.  And even if Aether could get rid of them, he was barely awake right now.  How would the people of Monstadt react to someone with wings?  With Barbatos, they had been overjoyed, but that was a bit of an extenuating circumstance.

 

Ah well.  He would deal with the repercussions as they came.  Planning had never really been a skill of his, why start now?  

 

Barbatos gathered Aether into his arms and lifted off the ground.  He flew in the direction of Mondstadt at higher speeds than he was used to.  But, speed was of the essence here.  

 

<;>

 

The gates to Mondstadt were always open.  Something many a weary traveler appreciated.  Normally, Barbatos would not use said gates.  When actually required to enter his city via a doorway, he found that it took a significantly longer amount of time than just flying over the walls.

 

He did not like it.  He DID like that the first thing the guards did when they saw Aether was call for a healer.  The people of Mondstadt were still used to finding people broken and in pain.  The Archon war was not yet a distant memory.  Just a short few decades after the Archon War, many soldiers had started families and settled down.  If he was being hopeful, he would say he hoped the twins would do the same.  But they wouldn’t want to settle down.  Aether had trouble staying in one place.  Lumine had told Barbatos that this was the longest the twins had stayed in one place since leaving home.  

 

<;>

 

Aether woke up in a relatively uncomfortable bed.  Which, to be honest, surprised him.  Lumine never allowed him to pamper himself when he was hurt.  The fact that he didn’t feel like he was about to die was a pleasant feeling, especially after being hurt like he had been.  Speaking of, he didn’t feel any pain.  Wherever he was, they had an advanced enough knowledge of medicine that it would work on him.  Which was a relief, until he remembered why he had been hurt in the first place.  Barbatos must have taken him here, wherever he was, after he had passed out (he must have passed out, otherwise there would be memories where there was only darkness). 
 

Darkness… of course he would remember it now, on this world full of light and happiness.  He never recalled it when he needed it most, the knowledge it gave him.  He only remembered it, felt it, when he didn’t need it.  And like now, when he couldn’t run away from his problems.  

 

He closed his eyes and focused on the coal inside him, willing the flames to burn the darkness away.  It was something he hadn’t had to do in centuries, and feeling the coal ignite once again… the warmth was like nothing else.  

 

Aether did not move for a long while, but though he was laying down and his eyes were closed, he was awake.

 

<;>

 

When Barbatos went to check on Aether, he did not expect anything to have changed.  Which meant, he did not expect Aether to be glowing.  Well, he thought that’s what was happening.  Anything about Aether was unknown, but it DID look like he was glowing.  When Aether opened an eye and looked at him, Barbatos decided the glow was a good thing.  If it wasn’t, Aether would have started trying to fix it by now.  That was just how the guy worked.  

 

As he approached the bedside, he slowed down, not knowing whether or not he was welcome.  It had been a crazy day, and Barbatos was in a very ‘better safe than sorry’ mood.  While he didn’t expect Aether to attack him, not in the state he was in, he was still wary of what the man would do if provoked.

 

“Aether.  Hey, uh… you alright?  You gave the doctors quite the scare.  And ummmm… you’re glowing.  Just… wanted to let you know in case you didn’t notice and it’s a bad thing.  You never know, right?  Not with… well, what are you?”

 

Aether seemed amused.  That was a good thing.  Amusement didn’t lead to anger.  Normally.

 

“I’m fine.  The glow is fine.  It’s something that happens naturally when- actually I will tell you later.  (I will, I promise. :D) But yeah, glowing is normal for us.  As for what I am, on my home world we are called the Tarakona.  But here, my sister and I are aliens.  Foreign life-forms hailing from another planet, another world entirely.  But you knew that.  Here, our powers are equal to that of an Archon.  Perhaps more powerful, even.”

 

Aliens.  A term Barbatos had never heard before, though it did not seem an inherently kind word.  It sounded like something feared, guarded against.  But how could you ever be afraid of the Twins?  They were such caring souls, fiercely protective of their people.

 

Notes:

so many ideas colliding in my head man @.@

leave a comment!

tarakona is a real word :)

Chapter 15

Summary:

Mona went poof
Lutsen is a captain now
It’s been something like three years

Notes:

Hi.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

KNIGHTS OF FAVONIUS

 

Since I’ve decided what’s gonna happen, let’s just say mona disappeared forever after that.  This is a while later.

 

The wind storms were getting worse.  They had always been getting worse, but nobody had noticed in the beginning.  Lutsen hadn’t either, he had been distracted by his obsession with Venti.  It had panned out to nothing, and wasted his time.  The astrologist was gone, she left last year.  They could have used her.  Her speed would have been essential in evacuations.  But instead she had left, making grand claims about finding the mythical ‘City of Stars’.  The Knights had let her go, and now they regretted not asking her to stay and help with damage control.

 

Acting Grandmaster Jean had spoken to Lutsen about reaching out to Liyue.  His position as Captain of Foreign Relations made him ideal for negotiations and trading.  He had risen in the ranks these past three years, Jean trusted him to make important decisions in her name now.  Once such decision was whether or not to trust Liyue’s help in subduing Dvalin.  They were unsure if Liyue’s people would be willing to stop before killing the dragon.  

 

Lutsen had ultimately decided against asking for help from Liyue.  With the Fatui here offering assistance, if the Knights went anywhere else for help it would be bad for their relations with the Snezhnayan organization.  Though it wasn’t like the two countries were on friendly terms.  Things had only gotten worse since the Knights had refused help from them.  They did not want Dvalin dead, simply cured.  And even if the Fatui were willing to provide non-lethal help, relying on another government would never be the ideal solution.  Mondstadt had always been self sufficient, they would do their level best to stay that way.  So Mondstadt had denied all assistance offered and refrained from reaching out for help.  

 

Lutsen had informed Jean of his decision yesterday, and she had called a meeting with the captains today to talk about their options regarding the dragon.  Lutsen, though this was not his area of expertise, had also been invited.  Jean always liked to get as many opinions as she could.  It was a well respected method in the Knights, and all of Mondstadt really.  Everything about Jean was loved all around Mondstadt.  Though not quite as much as Barbara, the Idol.  

 

<;>

 

The captains of the Knight of Favonius were gathered in the Grandmaster’s office.  It had been a while since a meeting of this size in the Knights had occurred.  Master Jean normally just called in the captain she knew would work best in each situation.  Grandmaster Varka however, had used almost every captain for every problem that had arisen before going off on his adventure.  The new efficiency Jean used was a god send to the captains.  While Lutsen had not been in the Knights during this time, he had heard many stories from his fellow captains.  He would never wish such an unorganized man on anybody.

 

Jean stepped into the room and any conversation was silenced.  Everybody respected Jean and did their best to make things easy for her.  They all knew how much overtime she worked, especially with Dvalin causing chaos in Mondstadt.  It was the least they could do to give Jean attention when she walked in the room.  She walked over to lean against her desk and began speaking.

 

“Thanks for coming, everyone.  You all know this meeting is about Stormterror, who was formerly known as Dvalin.  More specifically, this meeting is about what we are going to do in order to deal with the threat.  While none of us wish to kill, we must be ready to apply lethal force if it becomes unavoidable.  Before we brainstorm ways to kill a dragon blessed by the Anemo Archon, any ideas from you all on how to subdue one?”

 

Jean went on to listen to each captain’s idea of what to do.  When each was finished she drew up a plan.  As she explained to each captain what their role would be in the subduing of Stormterror, a young woman in a white dress came barging in.  She spared not a look for anyone but Captain Kaeya and Jean. 

 

The woman bobbed into a short curtsey and addressed the Acting Grandmaster.

 

“The Stormterror threat has been quelled.  Captain Kaeya, I thank you for the use of your drinking buddy and your brother, the Winery Owner.  They were most helpful.  Good day to you all.”

 

She turned and walked toward the door, leaving the room in a rather stunned silence.  That is, until Jean turned to Kaeya with a look that could melt Cor Lapis. 

 

“Cavalry Captain Kaeya Ragnivindr, I trust you will explain to us what that was all about?  Immediately and without delay?”

 

Kaeya blanched. It was rare that Jean pulled out full titles, often addressing her captains with familiarity.  The added use of his last name showed just how angry she was. 

 

“Wow full name. I’m really in for it this time aren’t I.  That was Miss Lumine.  I requested that she come here to help us deal with Dvalin.  Unfortunately she had to deal with some things at home before she arrived.  Hence why she hasn’t fixed it up earlier.  She arrived in Mondstadt a few days ago.  I’m not sure why she needed Venti and Diluc, but everything worked out so I don’t see a problem.”

 

He shrugged at the end. Jean closed her eyes and let out a long suffering sigh.  Lutsen knew she was used to this behavior from Kaeya.  He normally acted without telling anyone.  And his plans were always quite strange. 

 

“Okay, Kaeya, next time maybe tell the rest of us you have an idea.  It would negate the necessity for meeting of this kind.  After all, we all have work to do.  The new knights are in desperate need of supervision, you all know that.  Also, how do you know this Lumine is not a threat?  She may have plans beyond what you hired her for Kaeya.”

 

Kaeya grinned, it was obvious he had expected the question.  Nobody else could be so calm in the face of danger.  And Jean was the highest danger there was in Mondstadt.  

 

“Well, Acting Grandmaster.  I know that she is not a threat because Miss Lumine is from the very same place I am.  And the history in our wonderful home is exactly the opposite of threatening to Mondstadt.  My people have helped this place so much it wouldn’t be standing without them.”

 

There it was.  The most well kept secret in Mondstadt.  The fact that Kaeya and Master Diluc were not related by blood.  Only the captains and a few elect other people knew.  And that was only because, in a rare blunder, Kaeya had spoken about his home as if it were not the city they all loved.

 

He had managed to keep the name of the place secret though.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Bye.

Chapter 16: qwertyuiop

Notes:

qwertyuiop
(querty- oop) :)

I exist... kinda

I promised explanation about some of Aether's crazy glowiness so I hope this makes sense.

I've been super busy lately... so yeah

These stories are going to have references to other movies/books soooooooooooooooooooooooo..........................

If you don't like it I'm sorry but it's fun to write -\*U*/-

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

“A Tarakona?  I don’t think there’s a word for that in our language.  Any language on Teyvat actually.  Is that your native tongue Aether?”  

 

Aether frowned.  He was fluent in the standard language here in Teyvat, but he would never claim to know every intecracy of the complicated language.  He was not often caught like this though, completely blank on the words he needed to explain his heritage to Barbatos.  

 

Paimon had been instrumental in the twins learning how to communicate here.  They had picked up the basics from the people they helped, but the little pixie was able to teach them the proper sentence structure and grammar involved.  Alas, it seemed he had forgotten to ask about whether there was a word for the species he and his sister were.  

 

“I am something like Morax, I think.  He is a large, snakelike creature?  But anyways, I promised to tell you why I am glowing.  It’s quite simple, actually.  There is a- something like a coal- in our stomach, my sister and I.  When we activate it, for any number of reasons, we glow.  Like when you took us to meet Zhongli, I was using the coal.  Does that… make any sort of sense?”

 

Barbatos flabbergasted.  Aether said he was like Morax, big and scaly.  Aether was a reptile.  His best friend was not naturally a humanoid.  Though… did he have any right to be so surprised, when the man so obviously told him he wasn’t from Teyvat?  And It's not like Barbatos himself was human...

 

He should have seen this coming, he really should’ve… but when you were having fun, you ignored the signs.  However, did he really care?  Barbatos himself was a sentient wisp of wind.  He had no right to be worried about the fact that his friend wasn’t human.  At least he wasn’t made of solidified air…

 

<;>

 

A deep sigh from Aether broke him from his thoughts.  The poor guy looked exhausted.  Barbatos hastily apologized and started to back away.  Aether shifted and stopped Barbatos in his tracks 

 

“Wait! I promised you an explanation."

 

Not what he had been expecting out of the twin.  Aether hadn’t expressed any wish for company. 

 

“Why-ever not?  Aether, is everything alright?”

 

Oof.  That came off~*~*~ not even remotely as he had hoped.  It sounded cold and distant.  Neither of which he was, for anybody, least of all Aether. 

 

Aether hastily assured him nothing was wrong, and went on to explain the great and terrible threat of his sister. 

 

“It’s likely she knows something happened.  She’ll be monitoring Mondstadt until I let her know I’m alright.  The only reason she’s not here is because you haven’t given her any reason to be worried about me.  Don’t leave the chapel.  Wait until I can contact her.”

 

Barbatos understood the reason but…”how are you gonna contact Lumine?  You’re nowhere near her!”

 

 

The shining star of a man was obviously trying to keep from laughing as he said- “The Force works in mysterious ways, and I use that to my advantage.”  

 

Barbatos just looked at him.  An eyebrow raised quizzically, and his unspoken question in his eyes.  Aether beamed and told him “inside joke. I’m actually just gonna use a magical bond.”  This explanation just raised more questions, something Aether noticed almost immediately. 

 

“Pfah! Ahahah~. Okay, so you guys clearly don’t have familial bonds here.  It’s like a connection between me and my sister.  We know when the other is hurt, we can communicate through it.  My sister and I visited a… Well, not a world… They called it a Galaxy.  Which you don't know what is because you know nothing about space… have you ever heard of space?!?”  

 

Aether seemed to be having a bit of a crisis.  It appeared that Barbatos had asked a more complicated question than normal and Aether didn’t know where to begin.  He watched as Aether collected his thoughts and his expressions returned to the normal setting- a polite smile accompanied by a focused expression.  

 

<;>

 

Aether decided to completely leave out the inside joke from his explanation, it would just confuse Barbatos even more than he already was.  Not that he didn’t want to explain it, but how do you explain the concept of worlds so large they were filled with billions of planets just like Teyvat?  And the Force, there was no way he would be able to explain that.  

 

“A bond, like I said, is a connection between people.  It happens if you are very close to them emotionally, it just forms on it’s own.  My sister and I use it for simple long range communication.  It can also be used to tell if your loved ones are safe.  The more time you spend with each other the stronger it becomes.  I have seen these bonds form many times before, it is a beautiful thing to watch.  My sister and I have learned that they can only be formed by members of our kind, but we have seen similar concepts in many worlds.  Distance does not matter to bonds, they are a link to those you care for, however far apart you may be.”

 

Barbatos was gaping at him.  Did he say something wrong?  Or was this just completely impossible to explain?  He had thought he did quite well explaining the link between himself and Lumine, but she was always better at this kind of thing.

 

Then the Archon grinned and laughed and said something about crazy alien telepathy.  Aether noticed that there was no question about what space was, his core bond had obviously been enough for today.  Which was good, because Aether was exhausted.  He told Barbatos he would contact Lumine and that he was free to leave.  Then he once again ignited the coal inside him, but this time it was not to burn away the darkness.

 

-Sister.  

 

~ What have you been DOING?!  Aether I tried to contact you like six times!  You are so lucky I didn’t blast your silly little Archon out of the sky!  Do you know how worried I’ve been!!!???

 

-Wow, hi mom.  I’m fine Lumine, if a little bruised.  I’m staying the night here instead of flying back in the dark.  Goodnight.

 

~You owe me an explanation when you get back.  I’ve been stuck working on these stupid teleporters for AGES.

 

<;>

Notes:

- is aether
~ is lumine
these will likely show up again

if you want a fandom mentioned let me know. If i like the fandom aether might tell a story about his experirnce (spelling?) in that world

Chapter 17: Ruhig and Ranji

Summary:

both of these guys have little sisters.

Notes:

Hi! The guilt set in so I've been working on this chapter. I tried to introduce a little plot in this chapter. Let me know how it went?

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

RANJI AND RUHIG

(rather soon after Lumine fixed Stormterror)

Lutsen

 

“Sir Kaeya.  Good morning.  ”

 

“Sir Lutsen.  What was it we were supposed to be working on today?  Because if it’s nothing important, then I say we go to the tavern~  Surely Jean wouldn’t mind if we took a day off.  After all, now that the Stormterror debacle has been dealt with, I say we’ve earned it!”  

 

Kaeya and Lutsen had become friends in the years spent dealing with the storms and panicking Mondstadt folk.  Their jobs were highly different, but it hadn’t stopped them from finding time to get to know each other between shifts.  They had spent time sparring in the cool mornings before the sun got unbearably warm.  

 

Today they were supposed to be exterminating hilichurl camps close by the city, which Kaeya undoubtedly knew.  The two of them just had a different plan.  Master Jean had expressed wanting to meet Lumine, so they were off to find her.  Kaeya had mentioned that she was friends with Venti, so they assumed that the both of them would be hanging out somewhere together.  Their first assumption would be the courtyard by the Barbatos statue.  Venti often performed there, despite his unique dislike of the… decoration.  It was well known that he was the only native person in all of Mondstadt to have something against the statue.  Everyone else loved it.

 

Though, of course, there were always the rumors that Venti wasn’t actually Mondstatian.  It would explain the dislike of the statue.  Many visitors from the other nations scorned their unseen god.  They called him lazy and judged the people of Mondstadt for their faith in the Anemo Archon.  These disgusted visitors often revised their opinions as soon as the nearest festival rolled around, it was hard to dispute the magic of Mondstadt when you were drunk out of your mind.

 

<;>

 

Sure to expectation, Venti was exactly where they had assumed he would be.  What was not expected was that he wasn’t the one performing.  The young woman, Lumine, was singing.  It was a beautiful song, though Lutsen didn’t understand the lyrics.  It was in a language he had never heard before.  As Lumine sang, the air around her seemed to shine.  Kaeya’s eye widened and a grin spread across his face.  He began to whisper along with her words.  The language was elegant, and the words blurred together as he sang.  

 

They approached the duo, and Lumine turned to Kaeya with a smile.   It was obvious that she was very fond of him, and Kaeya was certainly being clear with his emotions for once.  Kaeya was beaming, and he went right in for a hug when he got to Lumine.  A hug that she returned just as enthusiastically.  Lumine started telling Kaeya about someone called Ranji.  Apparently, she was now nine years old and the most adorable thing ever.  Oh, and she missed Kaeya and wanted to visit Mondstadt.  

 

And Lutsen suddenly realised that the Captain had more family than just Diluc.  (We’re halfway theeere!  Aaaahaahhh!  We’ll make it sweaaaeer!  Halfway done chapter mark!  XD)  He had never heard of another Ragnivindr sibling, but they were a rather mysterious family.  That, or Ranji was from wherever Kaeya was from.  But how would he know who she was?  Kaeya hadn’t left Mondstadt in years.  He turned back to the conversation. 

 

“-everything she does is so certain, every decision is fully thought over before it’s executed.  She’s a wonderful team leader, all the other children follow her around like ducklings in a row.  It’s the cutest thing.  She misses you Kaeya.”

 

It was a relief to see that Venti looked just as confused as Lutsen felt.  Apparently even close friends of Kaeya didn’t know he had a sister.  It made him wonder what kind of relationship the captain had with Lumine.  How close did you have to be to be privy to the secrets of his family?  

 

Lumine suddenly turned to look at Lutsen.  “I am so sorry, I haven’t introduced myself.  I’m Lumine, from Sternenlicht.  And you are?”  She was soft spoken and polite, but that was normal.  What wasn’t normal was that she said she was from a mythological city!  HOW COULD YOU BE FROM A MYTHOLOGICAL CITY?!?!?!?!  Was Kaeya from a mythological city?  Lutsen realized he hadn’t answered yet.

 

“I’m, uuhhh, Lutsen Morgen.  From Springvale.  What brings you here Miss Lumine?”  When in doubt, be polite.  That was what his mother taught him.  And his mother had lived a highly successful life, it was best to listen to her.  Whenever anyone did the opposite of what his mother said, it never worked out for them. 

 

“It’s nice to meet you Lutsen!  I’m here looking for my brother!  He has long blond hair and wears exotic clothes?  He’s probably got a little flying companion following him around?”

 

This woman was crazy.  Possibly even more so than Kaeya.  (Maybe it was natural for everyone in the city they came from?)  At least he knew what was plausible to exist and what wasn’t.  Little flying people were not real. There was simply no room in the world for such nonsense.  Perhaps the loss of her brother had caused her to go wacky.  It wasn’t the first time he had seen it.  

 

They would have to put up notices.  Missing person posters.  There wasn’t much else they could do for her, but after she had helped with Stormterror, they owed her to help how they could. 

 

“If you could describe your brother, Miss Lumine, Outrider Amber will be able to help you put up some posters.  I’m afraid there isn’t much else we can do for you.  Are you in need of lodging and/or work?”  This kind of problem wasn’t part of Lutsen’s job, but he couldn’t imagine if little Ruhig was taken or lost.  His little sister was the light of his life.  He couldn’t imagine living without her.  Even the short distance between Mondstadt and Springvale made visiting much harder.  

 

So while this wasn’t exactly his job, he couldn’t help but feel as if it would be a horror not to help.

 

-<;>-

 

*I’m using the meaning calm for ruhig

Notes:

I was gonna say something here... XD oh well

Thanks for reading!

Please comment?

Chapter 18: The Message

Summary:

accidental long wait between chapters- oops!

Notes:

Sorry it's been so long ya'll :(
It might happen again, but I will make sure to tell you if I give up on this!

And uhhh... I think I accidentally put some angst in this one? ^^*

forgive me, this was not supposed to be a sad story

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Aether, Lumine, my dear Siblings.  Please come home, our people are having a bit of a worldwide mental breakdown.  Your father has died, and returned to the heavens, and the peoples of our stars are looking for guidance.  Your people are worried for you, and the dragons will not be happy if they lose the heirs of the eldest dragon.  I am afraid things will escalate if something is not decided soon.  Your return does not have to last forever, but at least come to name a successor to the throne.  Please.  We all miss you two. 

 

Your dearest sister Armine. 

 

When their big sister had managed to get a letter across the multiple galaxies to them, the twins had been ecstatic. The last time they had heard from Armine was three thousand years ago, when they had been on the Wheel of Time.  The Sisters and Brothers there had helped them set up a two way portal, where they had been able to talk.  She had informed them of their fathers ailing health, with a promise to notify them of any important events that should happen when they were gone. It had been an amazing break from their constant monotony of never meeting anyone they would be able to keep.  The Sisters and Brother had been very kind to the twins, and allowed them to stay for many years. Among other people with a deep understanding of the unusual, they had quite enjoyed their stay.  Though they were longer lived than many, they had still begun to lose the ones they were closest with.  So they had left, and their journeys had taken them far away from their sister.

 

-I’m not going Lumine.  I can’t.  You know I can’t.  You can go, the city doesn’t need both of us.  It doesn’t need either of us anymore, not really.  Armine will be glad to see you, and it doesn’t matter which of us goes.  Please don’t make me go Lumine.

 

~ It’s fine.  I’ll go.  Don’t worry about it.  I don’t have the same memories you do, and it’ll be fun to see everyone again.  Armine would’ve wanted to see you though Aether.  And really, brother, you’re the Crown Prince, that’s a little more important than me.  Don’t talk yourself down like that, but you’re right, I can do it.  I have enough authority.  Oh, and I forgot!  Venti was planning on coming over in the next few years.  It’s unfortunate I won’t be here.  Send him my regards, I’m off to go pack.  See you… ehhhh.  In a while.

 

And with that, she jumped out the window and flew in the direction of their house.  Lumine never stayed long after packing, so that was all the goodbye he was going to get.  The trip home would take an unknown amount of time, it depended on how far away they had gotten since leaving.  She would likely be gone for at least a century, even if she hurried.  

 

So in other words, Aether had the house to himself.

 

And Venti was apparently visiting.  Lumine hadn’t told him.  Perhaps she had meant to surprise him.  They had invited Venti long ago, back when they were still on somewhat threatening terms with him.  Apparently even the most carefree Archon was still too busy to come visit.  It was too bad that Lumine would not be here.  She always liked leading tours.  She knew all the most wonderful places of Sternenlicht too, every nook and cranny was accessible to her curiosity.  

 

He knew Lumine would be flying, likely in her true form as a tarakona, in order to arrive as quickly as possible.  He couldn’t wait to see his sister fly.  Her long snakelike body curved elegantly in the sky when she flew, and her silvery scales seemed to dance with color when the sun hit them.  She had always been graceful, much like a swan.  She was just as fierce as one too…  

 

Tao Hiriwa.  His sister.  She had the authority to decide on the new leader.  The position of Tao- spear- was a high one.  His graceful sister was the head captain of the guard.  It was one of the most trusted positions of their home.  It was actually higher than any counseling position or other royalty.  

 

But anyway.  Venti was coming!  What would they do?  Aether hadn’t ever really had many friends, he didn’t know how to entertain.  Venti liked stories, and songs.  He could work his way into a plan with that knowledge.  The people of Sternenlicht had many stories of the times from before he and his sister had arrived.  They loved sharing them, being able to tell them to a foreign visitor would likely cause them to launch an immediate party.  They were a very happy people, and always willing to do whatever they could to help.  He would feel good about not having to ask them for something for once.  They were always so willing to jump right to help him, it made Aether uncomfortable.  He didn’t understand why they were always so willing.  What had he done for them?  

 

It was Lumine who had truly raised this city from the ground.  She was the one who put the inspiration into the minds of these people.  Aether hadn’t really ever done anything, just like at home.  The people loved him for no reason.  He didn’t deserve this kind of love.  Lumine was the one who should have it all.

 

He would ask them to tell their stories.  He hadn’t learned them all yet.  Perhaps learning their stories would give him a reason that they loved him.  Then he could find a way to prove to them that he wasn’t the right person.  He had just come along with Lumine.

 

Venti would need a room.  He should go get one ready.  It was uncertain exactly when the Archon would arrive, but it would be unfortunate not to have one available should it be soon.  Aether would have to make sure his people did not notice, or they would insist on doing it themselves.

Notes:

There are lightsabers and Skywalkers dancing in my head like dreams on Christmas Eve. Blame them. For anything and everything. :)

I'll try to finish this story first. But don't be too surprised if I leave this for a while (losing interest in genshin), and switch over to a Star Wars story.

I'LL TRY TO FINISH THIS FIRST... and who knows, maybe i'll decide not to publish more! XD

Chapter 19: Exploration

Notes:

so it's been a while...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

The drawing of Miss Lumine’s brother was of a young looking man, with exotic clothing and feathers in long braided hair.  He was beautiful, and Lutsen didn’t mind saying it.  It was a rather good thing for them too, someone as noticeable as Aether would be sure to stand out in a crowd.  The knights of Mondstadt would all be given copies of the drawing, and told to take a lookout for anyone strange.  Whether they looked like this guy or not.  Lumine and Kaeya had also told him that Aether didn’t talk much, so they could also listen for rumors about an oddly silent man.  

 

Venti, who had accompanied them all this way, had seemed sad at that last piece of information.  It was interesting.  Something that, had it still been a few years ago, he would have dug into tirelessly.  Now he knew how foolish that was, and he couldn’t help but be embarrassed by how he had obsessed over the bard.  He had been quite rude in his disregard for the man’s personal life.  He had stopped his addicted investigation and led his own life.  He heard all the strange rumors still, but decided they didn’t matter.  Venti was a beloved citizen of Mondstadt.

 

He and Amber ran all around Mondstadt putting up posters the next day.  His Outrider training had often come in handy.  Jean had eventually lost a Captain to the Stormterror debacle, he had been chosen to fill her place.  Amber had been sad to lose him, but she had also gained some interested trainees from Springvale who had heard how wonderful she was from Lutsen.  His monthly visits to his home had turned into village-wide parties.  Never had he been so popular.  

 

But anyways, once he had finished putting up posters with Amber he went to report to Jean.  She had a job for him, revolving around young Lumine.  She had decided to send him with Lumine on her travels looking for her brother.  She would be traveling the continents and he was the knight most able to be spared.  They had decided to send Lumine with an escort so that she would seem to be a young woman of importance, instead of just a girl wandering around.  It would provide an outward appearance of danger to people like the Treasure Hoarders, and they would hopefully get less trouble from them.  The key word there was hopefully.  Treasure Hoarders never stopped causing trouble.

 

Jean informed him that they had already told Lumine that he may be traveling with her.  She had warned the Knights that she was a Kaeya levels of weird person.  Which made sense, they were from the same city.  The same mythological city.  He still couldn’t really wrap his mind around that.  And no matter how hard he wanted to ask questions, he knew it was rude to pry.  Not that he would likely get any answers.  She was probably just as stubborn as Kaeya.  Honestly, what he expected of her right now was just a female Kaeya.  Though he would undoubtedly learn more about her and her culture as they traveled together.

 

They would be leaving next week to search in Liyue.  Then they would go on to Sternenlicht.  There had also been a vague mention of Inazuma.  Though that would be a bit dangerous for Lutsen.  Not like Lumine seemed to care.  It felt to Lutsen that Lumine breezed through life without a care in the world.  She was always cheery and seemed to always have a plan.  

 

She had even spoken to his parents to get their permission to take him away from the country.  She was by far the kindest person he had ever met.  She was so connected to everyone around her.  Lutsen would never have thought to tell them he was leaving. 

 

<;>

 

The grass in Liyue was yellow.  He brushed his hands along the tall stalks as he walked besides Lumine.  She was smiling, and the air around her seemed almost as if she was absorbing the sun.  The golden tones of Liyue seemed to enhance her aura.  She turned her head to look at him.  

 

“You don’t have to be formal around me, you know.  I can tell you’re curious.  Have you ever been out of Mondstadt?  No?  I’ll explain a bit of the culture here.”

 

She explained to him all about Liyue, it was a far more intricate culture than he was used to.  She told him some of the traditional stories about Morax, even noting when something was not as accurate as she thought it should be.  Lutsen began to wonder whether she was a philosopher or a historian.  She certainly knew enough.  Even in Mondstadt she had amazed Lutsen with her incredible knowledge of history.  She could tell him everything she asked about.  She knew the hidden gems of Liyue, the places only a native could ever know.  

 

Days passed, and she asked every traveler she could find if they had seen a relatively short blonde man anywhere.  Nobody had.  Not one clue led to her brother.  She paused to help anyone in need, even if it took her to where they had already been.  She was truly the nicest person Lutsen had ever met.  And he had met Barbara, who was kindness incarnate.

 

Short chapter sorry ;-; I don’t know how to lengthen it.  I’m not giving up on the story, but expect large gaps between chapters.

Notes:

im so sorry. I have a few ideas for the next chapter though :)

Chapter 20: And the plot thickens...

Summary:

Aether and Venti hang out. (I don't need how to spell... do i?)

Notes:

HI! Just finished writing this one. I've been excited to write this since the fic started. It's been months! XD

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Venti arrived at Sternenlicht in the early morning, when the Sun was rising over the Great Lake behind the city.  It threw pastel colors across the water and reflected the puffy clouds in the sky. It would be a beautiful day to the festivals and tours with Aether.  Lumine would not be there, for a reason that had been thoroughly explained to him but still didn’t make sense.  All that mattered was that he got Aether all to himself.  He wouldn’t have to worry about Lumine keeping them from causing chaos and destroying things. (Well... they destroyed things with Lumine too, but it wasn't the SAME)  All in all, it was a perfect day. 

 

<;>

 

Aether met him at the gates and led him through the city. They stopped at restaurants and museums.  Aether was able to give Venti a personal history of almost every item in the building.  The citizens of Sternenlicht were extremely welcoming to him, and Aether seemed to the happiest Venti had ever seen him.  They went to the docks to feed the ducks, and eventually Aether goaded Venti into flying with him. 

 

Once they were in the sky, Aether turned to him.  “Are you glad you came?  Just let me know if we can do anything to make your time here more enjoyable. Lumine would be horrified if she came home and learned I hadn’t done enough to provide for you.”  

 

Venti was touched. Even if it was driven by terror of his sister, Aether cared enough to offer more to Venti.  “No, everything has been wonderful so far dude, you’re doing perfectly with hosting.”  

 

They flew in silence for a few more hours.  They glided through the skies, riding updrafts and speeding through gusts. When it came to dusk, Aether started shifting between forms, like he had once done with his sister in Liyue.  He went from his human form to a Phoenix, golden and flaming in the night sky.  He exploded into a deer, and galloped across the sky.  It was amazing, and Venti felt himself hoping these gentle gods would never leave as the night went on.  Aether shimmered to appear in his true form,  that of a long coiling dragon, a Tarakona in his native tongue.  Aether twisted around him, and suddenly Venti wasn’t flying anymore.  He was enveloped by golden scales slowly shifting under him.  Logically he knew how high up he was, but it didn’t register in his mind.  It was as if he were in a room made of gold.

 

He had never truly realized how large Aether’s body was when flying among the great mountains of Liyue, but above Sternenlicht in the wide open sky, he could see just how tiny he was in comparison.  Even MORAX would be small against this giant starborn deity.  This is when he realized exactly why Aether didn’t go around as a dragon, he was literally bigger than the entire city he lived in.

 

He could crush it in a moment. (This is not foreshadowing, Aether is not going to stomp on his city)

 

<;>

 

When Aether introduced him to the mayor of Sternenlicht the man seemed a little scared.  He was short, but not as short as either of the two, and beginning to bald on the top of his head.  He quickly provided Aether with whatever he wanted(Venti wasn’t paying attention), and seemed to want to collapse with relief when Aether thanked him and turned around.  

 

They were relaxing in Aether and Lumine’s house playing a strange game with cards and a great importance of the letter fifteen when a booming voice came from outside.  Venti recognized it, he had never thought he would hear it again.  He dreaded what news it brought.

 

Aether’s eyes widened, the loud voice hard on his sensitive ears, and flew out the window.  Venti hopped out behind him.  They rose into the air where the voice had come from.  

 

<;>

 

A woman with long white hair and a red embroidered dress was waiting for them.  And behind her… all six other archons.  This did not bode well for the two of them.  Aether flew closer to the woman- the Sustainer of Heavenly Principles, and spoke with her.  Venti was too far away from her to listen so he looked to Rex Lapis.  The dragon’s expression was tense, he expected something bad to happen as well.  

 

So of course, when Aether suddenly launched back and drew his sword Venti was not surprised.  He was, however, quite disappointed.  He would never wish to fight against his fellow Archons, however, it wasn’t even a question whether or not he would fight Aether.  He would take the consequences if he lived through this and lost, he would never forgive himself if he turned on his best friend.  Venti suspected that Rex Lapis might cause a bit of mischief as well, he had become very close friends with Lumine over the years.  

 

This was the second time Venti would see Aether fight, this the only time he fought to kill.  His intent made obvious by the sharp teeth and great coiling lengths suddenly twisting in the sky.  

 

Aether was a huge target, but the Sustainer seemed to be having difficulty hitting him, she through attack after attack at him, and not one hit.  Venti smirked and turned to the Archons.  It would be tough to face them all at once, but he could do it.  Dendro first.  

 

The Dendro Archon was a solemn woman, with chin length white hair and dark pink eyes.  She wore a long dark grey cloth twisted around her upper body as a shirt, with seemingly thousands of little tassels and charms dangling from her hair.  In some cases they weren’t even near her head, hanging down to her mid back.  They jingled pleasantly when she moved, he had always liked them.  She wore black leggings with a knee length armored skirt over them.  The skirt was a dark maroon color and lined with intricate braids set with tassels.  She wore no shoes and was always accompanied by a few birds.  She possessed large golden wings that radiated a soft warmth.  Venti would miss her.  

 

The Dendro Archon hefted her claymore and took a deep breath.  Venti nocked an arrow to his bow.  He had always enjoyed Nym’s company.  She lowered her head.  Venti could see the sorrow on her face.  She had always considered Venti a kindred spirit of the sky.  He lifted his bow, and took aim.  A tangle of thorns cut at his legs, he ignored them.  He drew the bowstring back.  Nym made eye contact with him, and he knew she would never truly fight him.  He took a deep breath.  Nym smiled, and he felt her blessing.  She forgave him.

 

He released.

 

He brought the bow down slowly and felt tears beginning to run down his face.  He would remember her.

 

But there would be time for mourning later.  There were still five Archons to take care of, Rex Lapis being unable to truly attack to his true potential.  

 

The Shogun was next.  A quick study revealed that this was indeed the Archon herself and not one of her copies.  She summoned her spear, and Venti knew this fight would not be easy.  He summoned a gale to flow her away, but she ducked her head through it and sliced the air in front of her.  Venti was quick to catch a upward draft and avoid the blow, but she kept coming.  He fired shot after shot, but she dodged all of them.  Venti began to accept the end when a perfectly timed lash of Rex Lapis’ tail knocked her out of the sky.  It would be a while before she could get back up.  Venti grinned.  There was nothing to show that his buddy had even noticed what happened from where he was weaving through the sky near Aether.  It was almost as if it had been a clumsy mistake from the large dragon.  But Venti knew better.  

 

He took out the Hydro with a well aimed shot whilst they were distracted.  There was no telling whether they would get back up.  

 

It felt almost as if they were winning, and Venti began to feel hope kindle in his chest.  

 

Stupid.

 

Of course they couldn’t win, they were outnumbered 6(.5?) to 2.  A pained roar marked Aether’s fall as he was encased in one of the cubic prisons of the Sustainer.  In a desperate act with the seconds he had left, Aether formed a shimmering barrier around Sternenlicht.  No hostile entity would be able to pierce it, not with the power of a panicked and fallen god behind it.  The Pyro and Cryo Archons turned to him, and he knew his defeat.  Rex Lapis’ tail suddenly wrapped around him and flung him into the sky.  He flew so fast that he couldn’t tell which way was up.  By the time be finally righted himself, he no longer knew which direction Sternenlicht was in.  He allowed himself to drift to the ground, and crumpled into a ball, wrapping his wings around himself to form a cocoon.  

 

<;>

 

An unknown amount if time passed, and Venti heard footsteps approaching.  He knew who it was.  

 

Zhongli smiled sadly at Venti as he bent down to his level.  He wrapped his arms around Venti, and they cried together.  Both of them mourning the loss of Aether.  Zhongli told him that he doubted Aether was dead, with the sheer power he could hold, but neither of them had any clue where he may be.  His friend held him as he drifted, losing the will to be awake after using so much energy, and ultimately failing in his goal.  

 

Zhongli felt his friend fall into one of his long slumbers and sat there a bit longer.  When the sun began to rise and herald the dawn he lifted Venti and carried him to a nearby mountaintop.  There were no humans anywhere near here and Venti would be close to the winds.  He was safe.

 

The day began, and the sun rose on a city bereft of it’s gods.  Sternenlicht was not destroyed, but it would be forgotten to time as the Archons were kept from sending their people to the grand city of trade in the desert.  

 

<;>

 

Aether was stolen

 

Lumine would return to Teyvat five centuries later

 

Venti would sleep for four hundred and fifty years

 

The city of Mondstadt went through turmoil, but came out triumphantly with new laws and a few less nobles

 

Liyue remained dependably productive

 

On the day Celestia declared Sternenlicht too powerful and tried to destroy it, the people of Teyvat felt a great power.  This was the defiance of a dragon nearly as old as existence itself.  The Sustainer may have beaten Aether, but she would never be able to destroy the city he held dear.  

 

The Sustainer of Heavenly Principles had made a mistake, one she would pay for dearly when the Tao Hiriwa returned.  Lumine had never been one to put up with anyone threatening her brother.  The Sustainer was in for a real beat-down.

 

It was the only mistake the Sustainer has ever made.  The first and last, one might say.

 

<;>

 

*Later edit, I think Tao Hiriwa means silver spear. Just y'know, so that line makes a bit more sense

Notes:

So. I introduced my favorite character in one paragraph and killed her in the next. What a feeling that was :(
About the battle: not all of those Archons died. Just some. At least one.

On a completely unrelated note: I got Kujou Sara today, i'm already in love. SHE HAS WIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGGGGSSSSSSS

lol. I'll probably draw Nym someday for you guys. I love her so much, she might possibly get her own story someday.

Did you know that the name Nym means soldier in the king's army? Interesting tidbit I can play with :)

I'll stop rambling and let you go on with your day now~

Chapter 21: Searching

Summary:

A bit of information from Lutsen, and some horribly written emotions from Lumine

Notes:

Your monthly update, my Lord, Lady, or Other~

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The city of Liyue was beautiful.  It had taken them three weeks to slowly trek across Liyue, helping anyone and everyone they came across.  He had learned many things about Lumine since they began the journey to Liyue.  A few things included:

 

  • An absolute hatred of fish and anything with more than four legs.
  • She knew all the Adepti personally
  • She had wings, which he had only learned because they flickered in and out of existence sometimes.
  • She was incredibly old, as in- older than Teyvat old(this one didn’t surprise him as much as it should have.)
  • She had been in Teyvat since the Archon war(he could learn so much from her 0.0)
  • She had known the Ragnivndr brothers for years now, since Kaeya had volunteered to leave Sternenlicht in order to learn whether or not Barbatos was still the Archon of Mondstadt.
  • Kaeya had a little sister(it was a nice confirmation), and while Diluc wasn’t related to either of them, he was wrapped around little Ranji’s finger.
  • Sternenlicht was not mythical.  Lumine had lived there for the past couple thousand years.
  • Lumine was an effing dragon.  @.@

 

The list ended there for now, but he was sure it would lengthen.  Lumine was an incredibly interesting person, and she had layers upon layers of personality- much like an onion, in his opinion.  For instance, this meeting they were in right now.  She was talking to a young man with bright orange hair, and far too much energy for an official setting.  Lumine was not the joyful person he normally saw her as, instead she was a cold and calculating woman, reflecting her age and expanding her presence around the room.  When they had spoken to the other harbinger the day before, she had been even more intimidating, and when she left the room, she couldn’t stop growling about a “knowzis”, Venti, and the nerve of the woman.  Now, Lutsen didn’t know what a knosis was, or why she was so mad at the Harbinger for taking it from Venti, but it made him wonder why Lumine was meeting with these people she so obviously hated.

 

She looked at him, as if sensing his thoughts (which he still wasn’t sure he couldn’t do), and flashed him a look of complete and utter boredom.  They were going to meet with a Zhongli next, something she was looking forward to about a thousand times more than what she was currently doing.  The meetings with the Harbingers had been a courtesy, as an official visit from Mondstadt.  Lutsen had insisted on this, it was polite, the Fatui were, afterall, in charge of many business dealings here in Liyue.  

 

~

 

The Zhongli man was apparently an Adeptus.  Why was he even surprised at this point?  Lumine knew every immortal across the seven nations, and most of the normal humans, too, he was sure.  At this point, he shouldn’t be surprised if he discovered that she knew everyone from all the worlds she had ever visited.  Now, Lutsen was definitely curious as to what they were here for, but Lumine had expressed that she wished this conversation to be private.  So Lutsen had brought a book, not trusting himself to wander Liyue without getting lost.  He settled into a chair as Lumine walked into Mr. Zhongli’s office.  

 

~

 

She closed the door behind her and broke into tears.  Zhongli stood up from behind his desk and embraced her.  They just stood there for a while, Zhongli letting her cry herself out.  After a few minutes, she drew herself away and wiped her eyes.  

 

“I’m sorry, I probably ruined your suit.  I’ll buy you a new one.” (I myself am emotionally inept.  This scene will never be written well)  

 

Zhongli gestured to his desk, and they sat down in comfy chairs he had sitting by the window.  Lumine plopped down and splayed her limbs all over.  She told Zhongli what had happened.

 

“I left for my home a few centuries ago, a matter of succession, which doesn't matter.  While I was there, I felt a ripple come through the stars.  If I had known it was Aether… I would’ve come back right away.  But I just dismissed it.  The very stars were calling out to me and I ignored them.  Everything was successful there, and now when I come home, there’s a shield over my city, and nobody has seen my brother since the Archons attacked five hundred years ago.  I learn that the very person who destroyed my home also obliterated every trading post we had all over Teyvat.  The people of this world think my people are a legend!  A story told to young children about never thinking yourself better than the gods.  Euck.  Oh, and my people are being turned into monsters as we speak.  Great, just great.”

 

She sighed. Then perked up.

 

“Oh! But I found the one responsible for it all~  That damn woman will never descend from Celestia again.”

 

Zhongli looked a bit surprised.  And for good reason, the Archons didn’t just do what she said because they WANTED to.  The goddess had been the most powerful deity on Teyvat.  And Lumine had taken care of her.  Suddenly Zhongli really wanted to ask questions.  But he didn’t, his role here was to listen.  Lumine hadn’t come to be interrogated, she came to blow off some steam.  And, from the looks of it, to take a nap.  Which was understandable, considering how hard Barbatos said she had been working.  Though honestly, if one of his friends was missing, Zhongli would work himself to the bone searching.  

 

He stuck his head out the door to the Knight, and sent him off to the nearest inn.  Then he gathered Lumine up into his arms and teleported to his adeptal abode.  He placed her down onto the guest bed reserved for her in her and her and Aether’s room, and left.  It was likely she would sleep through the night.  Probably.  In the morning she would leave and return to her search.  Zhongli left her a note saying that he had not seen her brother, but would inform the adepti of their search.  He couldn’t do much himself, being busy at the Funeral Parlor, but he could certainly get everyone he knew involved.

 

That's what friends did after all, they did everything they could.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

Hello. did you like the chapter? do you hate the story? is there anything you want to be included going forward? (do you want to read a Wheel of Time story from me in the future?) Let me know!

I hope you all liked the chapter!

Chapter 22: Where Sleeping Dragons Lie

Summary:

Fluff set in the future

Notes:

Hello person I definitely don't know in real life...

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Remember how I mentioned these ones won’t always be linear? Good :) 

*Lumine has found Aether, everything is at peace, This won’t spoil much because this story was always gonna have a happy ending anyway

 

**OOh OOh!  Remember:

~Lumine mentally talking to Aether

 -Aether mentally talking to Lumine

 

Where Sleeping Dragons Lie

 

So it’s not like Venti forgot that the twins were older than time itself… but that’s not something you actively think about ya’know?  So when he went to check on the twins because he hadn’t seen them in a few weeks, and saw them just sitting doing nothing, he assumed something was wrong.  Ever since they finally got Aether back, he had been scared of losing him again to the stillness of when they found him.  That had been… a bad time.

 

Venti started to panic a little before realizing that he should probably just make sure nothing was wrong BEFORE freaking out.  He walked closer to the twins, and seeing their cores glowing assured him they weren’t doing strange mental things like talking to people literally in entire other worlds, or dead.  The twin’s cores glowed often since they regained their powers, much like they always wanted to make sure the potential was still there, and not sealed away.

 

When he got within a three foot radius, they both opened their eyes and turned to him with that eerie synchronicity they had.  (Yeesh that was freaky)  He grinned, pretending he hadn’t just been panicking, and said- 

“What are my two favorite twins doing this fine morning?  I haven’t seen you in aaaaaaggggggeeeeesssssssss how am I supposed to compose more music if you won’t even talk to me?! Or learn Spanish!  I can’t learn from anyone else!  Besides, all you were doing was sitting there for like three weeks, haven’t you gotten bored yet?  Come on let’s go fly, I still wanna figure out how you turn so fast!”

 

The only reaction he got was a blink.  

 

“Venti, it’s been a few hours, and we’ve been meditating.  It’s a great pastime, especially here on Teyvat with all the elements in constant motion.  You should try it sometime, even Aether stops causing chaos when he does it.”

 

… Venti was slightly flabbergasted.  How could you have such a bad sense of time?  Three weeks should never feel like just a few hours.  Never.  Three weeks was way too long to sit on the floor contemplating life.  This called for an intervention.  And some lessons on how to pay attention to time passing.  For ancient beings such as the twins, perhaps this was less of an important skill to have, but damnit if Venti didn’t want them to spend centuries sitting in one place.  They had mortal friends!  Mortal friends who wouldn’t live forever!  This was a crisis!  Come to think of it… there were a lot of lessons these twins seemed to have not learned… maybe he could get some help teaching them the essentials.

 

Lutsen.  Lutsen was friends with both of them, AND was able to convince them food was necessary.  Surely he would be willing to help teach them more important lessons?  Question was… how willing would he be.  UUUUGH.  This took too much brain power, he could figure it out later.  Right now the twins needed to actually leave their house and do something.  Like fly with him.  Or go drinking with him.  Or beat up Childe again with him.  OR DO ANYTHING with him he sooooo bored.  

 

Something Aether seemed to notice and take pity on.  Well, as much as anyone could pity with that expression on one’s face.  (Aether was looking more feral than anything else with that grin)  Venti decided to take matters into his own hands and drag these two crazies outside.  Not that… y’know… he could really make them do anything against their will… being overpowered immortal deities with a cure for death… because of course that’s who he befriended.  

 

On second thought, maybe dragging them wasn’t quite as smart a choice as it had seemed.  

 

<;>

 

Lumine watched as her friend seemed to go over a few things in his mind.  This was unacceptable.  Whenever Venti came up with an idea, it ended in someone drunk and Venti in need of a nap.  Preventative measures must be made.  His brain would overheat otherwise.

 

So she took the best available option she knew, a nap.  When in doubt, one should nap.  Thus, she flared her core, and changed into her dragon skin. (a small version of course.  Sternenlicht had only recently made its way back out of mythology, destruction wouldn’t be very beneficial.)  ~Brother~ She said.

 

~Our friend’s brain is overheating.  It is not used to activity such as thinking.  I suggest we give it a break.~

 

-Of course.  I noticed as well that he has been standing there for a while-

 

Her brother shifted into his natural skin as well, and gently snared Venti around the waist.  The Archon barely seemed to notice.  Aether carefully reeled Venti into his clutches, and curled himself around the poor guy.  Lumine purred deep in the back of her throat and joined the cuddle pile.  Venti finally seemed to notice and let out an undignified squawk at finding himself within the clutches of the twins.  Aether just rumbled, and Lumine set her considerably sized snout down on Venti’s chest.  Eventually he would see sense and give in to the guarantee of a nice long nap.  

 

<;> 

 

Venti woke up surrounded by the soft warmth of summer sunshine on the beach.  He sighed in content.  Even if this wasn’t necessarily something he had agreed to, it was still the best night of sleep he had in years.  He snuggled back up to the soft scales cocooning him, drifting back into the darkness of sleep and the soft rumbling of the twins curled around him.

 

-<;>-

 

Notes:

I was in a cuddle pile type of mood. Even if there isn't plot it's still a chapter :)

Next up with Lutsen: he actually finds some friends. In liyue.

Next up with the twins and Venti: lessons on how to properly be human, still set into the future

Chapter 23

Summary:

Lusten in Liyue

Notes:

AYYYY more than one chapter per month yoooo!!!!!!!!

(I think it's been less than a month)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It’s not that Lutsen was useless.  He just wasn’t particularly helpful when speaking with centuries old Adepti.  Not like Lumine, who knew them all by name.  So when she went into the office, he grabbed the book he was reading “Stories and Legends from the Time of the Archon War: The Twin Gods of The City of Stars”  Lumine gave it to him.  According to her, it was by an author that had traveled to the city itself, rather than just compiling not totally accurate knowledge from other books and authors.  Lumine said that this strategy was rare at the time, even with completely functional teleporters to the city.  

 

Those teleporters she always talked about… oh how he would love to get his hands on one of them.  They had passed a few in their travels, but they were always so far out of the way that it would just add a ridiculous amount of time to go look at one.  Lumine promised she would let him examine one eventually, but she still hadn’t gotten to it.  (And it’s not like Lutsen was begging either.  She kept him plenty entertained on the road.)  

 

The book contained as many stories as the author could find about the origins of the twin gods, thier adventures, and the stories that might be more accurate than the author thought about the two being friends with a certain Anemo Archon.  According to this guy, Barbatos tried to kill the twins when they first arrived in Mondstadt, but Lutsen knows how inaccurate that is.  Lumine told him that story herself, way less climactic than the author thought it was.  (Lumine did say this was the most accurate book, not that it was accurate.)  

 

<;>

 

He wished he could say he wasn’t surprised when he was woken up by an excited voice, but he had never been very aware of his surroundings.  Not that it would help when he was asleep anyway.

 

So instead of slowly cracking one eye open to see who it was, like he wished he could, Lutsen immaturely shrieked- and the book resting on his chest was catapulted forwards.

 

The kid in front of him, and it was a kid- a teenager, but still a kid, laughed and grinned at him.  The boy had short blue hair, and wore nice clothing.  Clothing obviously tailored to specific requirements, and wore a hydro vision at his waist.  The boy bent down to pick up his book for him, and handed it to Lutsen with an overdramatic bow.  

 

“Hello, my liege.  I am Xingqiu, of the Feiyun commerce guild, and I have been sent by the illustrious Zhongli to give you a tour of Liyue.  Is there any place you have heard of that you wish to visit?  I can take you to a restaurant, a nicknack store, or to meet a few of my friends.  It’s up to you sir!”  

 

Lutsen was a little surprised.  It wasn’t often he was approached by someone this energetically.  Even when they wanted something, he normally had to coax it out of them.  This was different from his normal interactions to say the least.  Not that it wasn't welcome!

 

So, he nodded to the boy, Xingqiu, and off they went.

 

He was first taken to the Wanmin Restaurant, a place Xingqiu seemed to swear by.

 

“This is Wanmin Restaurant, the best place to get a quick bite to eat in Liyue Harbor.  My friend Xianling works here, we should be able to get a discount on anything we buy.  What would you like?  If you’ve never had these foods, I can give some suggestions.  The rice buns are delicious, as is the crystal shrimp.  Of course, I may be biased, as those are the first things Xianling ever served me.  I also- oh.  I’m rambling.  Sorry my liege.  Let’s eat.”

 

Lutsen grinned at the kid and decided to go with the rice buns.  They had been recommended after all.  

 

The man at the desk seemed to recognize Xingqiu, and that Lutsen was an outsider.  He eyed Lutsen a little strangely, but seemed to decide that it didn’t matter and took his order.  

 

<;>

 

The food was delicious, and Lutsen walked away from it smiling.  Xingqiu led him through the harbor, showing him the terraces, the shops, the guilds, and the many people Xingqiu seemed to know personally.  It was a very nice day, and he met many of the boy’s friends.  The boy with light blue hair, whom Lutsen unfortunately could not remember the name of, was perhaps the one who stuck out most to him.  When Lutsen spoke of the quest he and Lumine were on, Light Blue had offered to ask people to keep an eye out.  Lutsen went away from the boy feeling confident that if Lumine’s brother did show up in Liyue, he would be informed nearly immediately.  

 

<;>

 

He arrived back where they were staying in a state of hazy exhaustion.  While he was no means an old man, in the prime of his life even, he didn’t have the limitless energy of true youth.  True youth being teenagers, with energy capable of matching that of a vision.  His sister is at this stage in her life right now, and she was the most chaotic person he knew.  

 

These Liyuen kids though, they were definitely taking second place.  It had been a great day with them, but now he just wanted to sleep. 

 

 And sleep he did.

 

-<;>-

Notes:

not proud of this, but I don't know where the plot is going yet :)

soooooooooo

Chapter 24: It's obvious where i gave up

Summary:

venti is cooking for family dinner

Notes:

sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....... oops?

its not even close to a 1000 words

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

It wasn’t every day that Venti made the twins try a new dish.  He only did it every couple weeks, the twins were very stubborn about making sure food was safe for them to eat these days, after a scare in Liyue with shrimp.  Apparently, the type of shrimp of Teyvat was toxic to immortal space dragons.  Who knew?  Well, Venti he guessed.  Ever since the shrimp tabaccle, the twins had begun using some strange magic power thing(...?) that told them about the details of the food, but details Venti had never heard of before?  Like, what the heck was hydrogen, and why did it make things sour?  And apparently it was the lithium in Teyvatian shrimp that did them in.  What lithium was, Venti may never know.  Not for lack of trying on the twins' part.  They had given him a detailed explanation of elements and tiny particles making up everything in the world and Venti himself.  Sure, cool concept.  But different particles making different materials even though it was all essentially the same particle type but with different numbers of things floating around?!  Too much for his brain.  Venti wasn’t an alchemist.  He was not Albedo.  The twins really should’ve explained it to Albedo instead.  The guy woulda thought it was fascinating.  

But anyways, it was Venti’s day to cook.  And he unfortunately had no idea what to make.  He didn’t even know what was safe to make.  Since the twins had discovered a newfound hatred for shrimp, they were suspicious of everything they did not make and test themselves.  How neither of them had come across shrimp in the centuries they had lived on Teyvat, Venti had no idea.  Not that he minded, he shared Mora- Zhongli’s dislike of seafood.  And so did the twins now.  

Zhongli had promised to show up this week.  What that man did now that he was retired, Venti had no idea.  He always seemed too busy though, claiming work or preset plans.  Even Ei came to dinner more often than the old grump.  Ei… she was coming tonight.  What were her food preferences? Uuuuuuugh.  The twins didn’t usually make him cook.  He was no good at anything except apple pie, that heavenly dessert they brought with them from some world called Earth.  They mentioned Earth a lot.  Venti figured they spent a lot of time there.  Either that, or their were at least two hundred different worlds called Earth.  Which, honestly, would make a lot of sense with how often the stories from that particular world didn’t seem to line up with each other.  But anyyyyway, Ei always had ideas about the foods from Inazuma for Venti to make.  He could just pop over to Inazuma real quick and see what she wanted.  

<;>

Ei wanted soup.   Venti could do soup.  So he wizzed over to Liyue, stole some bamboo shoots, and got to work.  First he set a pot with pork broth to boil, having some leftover from the last time Paimon had gotten sick.  Then he took a nap, seeing as if the house burnt down the twins would never make him cook again.  Finally, he dumped all the ingredients in in one fell swoop and went back to sleep.

Notes:

so, if you're reading this. You're basically reading the rough draft. If i ever finish this stroy ill go back and edit and chapters and stuf so that it actually makes sense, is in the right tense, and is a way less confusing reac

Chapter 25: I'm adding some plot

Summary:

Lutsen and Lumine begin the next phase of their journeys.

Notes:

hiiiiiiiiiiiii

it's short, but theruew plot

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lutsen was woken up by Lumine rushing around their shared room in the inn she had chosen to stay at.  He forced himself out of his half asleep state and pulled on his boots and jacket.  Lumine noticed him awake and turned to smile at him.  

“News on my brother.  He was seen deep in an Inazuman domain.  According to the letter I got from Yae Miko, an old friend and an important figure in Inazuma, two adventurers saw a ‘young seeming man cornered by seven abyss mages’.  It was a weird enough occurrence that the Katheryine in Inazuma told Yae about it.  As Aether is quite possibly her second favorite person, she recognized the description.  I’m leaving on the next tide.  I’m not sure if you want to leave the main continent, but you are welcome to join me or return to Mondstadt.”

Lumine was beaming, overjoyed at the lead on finding her brother.  Lutsen was once again taken by how she seemed to resemble a ray of sunlight.  When she smiled, the air around her seemed to shine. But that didn’t matter right now. He needed to make a decision. Would he go with Lumine, and see more of the world than he could ever imagine, or return home to return to his duties, and his family?  He had told his family he would be gone for an undetermined amount of time, so they were not expecting him any time soon. But the rainy season was coming, and his parents may need help at home. 

No.  He had promised to help Lumine find her brother, and he had never broken a promise.  Now was not the time to start.  He grinned at Lumine.

“Lead the way to the docks, milady.”  While Lutsen had never been on a ship before, he had full confidence that it would be an exciting experience.  On top of that, he would be able to say he had visited Inazuma, even Kaeya had never done that.  (They played Never Have I Ever last week.  He knew this for a FACT.)  Perhaps he would be able to secure some contacts in Inazuma for the Knights, one never knew if they would run a expedition or mission in need of more supplies than they had.  

<;>

The Alcor was the most beautiful ship Lutsen had ever seen, with paddle wheels on the back and triple masted, she was a hulking mass of a warship.(I love boats <3)  The captain, Lady Beidou, was a formidable woman who took no nonsense. Lumine had known her for only a few days, a huge difference compared to all the gods they had been meeting on the way here.  Like normal, however, Beidou had fallen in love immediately and agreed to the trip with only the payment of a few stories on the way.  Lumine had smirked and nodded when she was told they had to be outlandish and barely believable.  Lutsen only grinned and took out his notebook to record the stories.  

He had bought a notebook before leaving home, intending to sketch in it and record their travels in his downtime.  Instead, he had ended up turning it into a sort of dictionary and guide for all the strange things Lumine said.  For example, he had managed to define the following:

The Force: a parallel to elemental powers, a way to manipulate and influence the world through the mind.  From world: unknown

Demigod: The child of a god and human, often capable of miraculous actions, not the type of god found on Teyvat.  From world: earth (Many earths have been mentioned, are they all one, or many different earths?)

Exacto Knife: A small blade capable of being folded into a sheath; often quite small, ranging from normally sized to the length of a thumb. From world: earth(Many earths have been mentioned, are they all one, or many different earths?)

<;>

Many days passed as they sailed to Inazuma, time wiled away by listening to Lumine’s stories, fantastic and impossible things, dancing along to music and laughing with the crew after dinner, and learning the ways of the Alcor herself.  The crew were amazingly kind people, all willing to teach Lutsen their jobs and how they had come to find a job on the Alcor.  It was the most lighthearted time Lutsen had experienced since setting out with Lumine.  Every day was filled with joking and laughing.  It was more than he had ever expected from the chartered Captain and her crew.  They were friendly, and that made the days pass quickly.  

<;>

The approach to Inazuma left Lutsen speechless with wonder.  The mountain loomed in the background, intimidating and beautiful as the backdrop to lucky sailors permitted to enter the country.  

As Beidou’s crew docked, she pulled Lumine aside and whispered something to her.  Much as Lutsen wished he knew what was being said, he also knew to leave her be, she would likely just tell him later.  His and Lumine’s travels had been far less like an escort and his charge, and much more like two friends exploring the world.  Lutsen was grateful for the chance he had been given to learn and explore the world; traveling with Lumine was more rewarding than he could have ever dreamed of, but he did hope they were nearing the end of their journeys.  

-<;>-

Notes:

comments and kudos are always welcome. especially if i havent updated in.... months :)

Chapter 26: I'm adding some plot

Summary:

Lutsen and Lumine begin the next phase of their journeys.

Notes:

hiiiiiiiiiiiii

it's short, but theruew plot

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lutsen was woken up by Lumine rushing around their shared room in the inn she had chosen to stay at. He forced himself out of his half asleep state and pulled on his boots and jacket. Lumine noticed him awake and turned to smile at him.
“News on my brother. He was seen deep in an Inazuman domain. According to the letter I got from Yae Miko, an old friend and an important figure in Inazuma, two adventurers saw a ‘young seeming man cornered by seven abyss mages’. It was a weird enough occurrence that the Katheryine in Inazuma told Yae about it. As Aether is quite possibly her second favorite person, she recognized the description. I’m leaving on the next tide. I’m not sure if you want to leave the main continent, but you are welcome to join me or return to Mondstadt.”
Lumine was beaming, overjoyed at the lead on finding her brother. Lutsen was once again taken by how she seemed to resemble a ray of sunlight. When she smiled, the air around her seemed to shine. But that didn’t matter right now. He needed to make a decision. Would he go with Lumine, and see more of the world than he could ever imagine, or return home to return to his duties, and his family? He had told his family he would be gone for an undetermined amount of time, so they were not expecting him any time soon. But the rainy season was coming, and his parents may need help at home.

No. He had promised to help Lumine find her brother, and he had never broken a promise. Now was not the time to start. He grinned at Lumine.
“Lead the way to the docks, milady.” While Lutsen had never been on a ship before, he had full confidence that it would be an exciting experience. On top of that, he would be able to say he had visited Inazuma, even Kaeya had never done that. (They played Never Have I Ever last week. He knew this for a FACT.) Perhaps he would be able to secure some contacts in Inazuma for the Knights, one never knew if they would run a expedition or mission in need of more supplies than they had.
<;>
The Alcor was the most beautiful ship Lutsen had ever seen, with paddle wheels on the back and triple masted, she was a hulking mass of a warship.(I love boats <3) The captain, Lady Beidou, was a formidable woman who took no nonsense. Lumine had known her for only a few days, a huge difference compared to all the gods they had been meeting on the way here. Like normal, however, Beidou had fallen in love immediately and agreed to the trip with only the payment of a few stories on the way. Lumine had smirked and nodded when she was told they had to be outlandish and barely believable. Lutsen only grinned and took out his notebook to record the stories.
He had bought a notebook before leaving home, intending to sketch in it and record their travels in his downtime. Instead, he had ended up turning it into a sort of dictionary and guide for all the strange things Lumine said. For example, he had managed to define the following:
The Force: a parallel to elemental powers, a way to manipulate and influence the world through the mind. From world: unknown
Demigod: The child of a god and human, often capable of miraculous actions, not the type of god found on Teyvat. From world: earth (Many earths have been mentioned, are they all one, or many different earths?)
Exacto Knife: A small blade capable of being folded into a sheath; often quite small, ranging from normally sized to the length of a thumb. From world: earth(Many earths have been mentioned, are they all one, or many different earths?)
<;>
Many days passed as they sailed to Inazuma, time wiled away by listening to Lumine’s stories, fantastic and impossible things, dancing along to music and laughing with the crew after dinner, and learning the ways of the Alcor herself. The crew were amazingly kind people, all willing to teach Lutsen their jobs and how they had come to find a job on the Alcor. It was the most lighthearted time Lutsen had experienced since setting out with Lumine. Every day was filled with joking and laughing. It was more than he had ever expected from the chartered Captain and her crew. They were friendly, and that made the days pass quickly.
<;>
The approach to Inazuma left Lutsen speechless with wonder. The mountain loomed in the background, intimidating and beautiful as the backdrop to lucky sailors permitted to enter the country.
As Beidou’s crew docked, she pulled Lumine aside and whispered something to her. Much as Lutsen wished he knew what was being said, he also knew to leave her be, she would likely just tell him later. His and Lumine’s travels had been far less like an escort and his charge, and much more like two friends exploring the world. Lutsen was grateful for the chance he had been given to learn and explore the world; traveling with Lumine was more rewarding than he could have ever dreamed of, but he did hope they were nearing the end of their journeys.
-<;>-

Notes:

comments and kudos are always welcome. especially if i havent updated in.... months :)

Chapter 27: The Informant

Summary:

they meet

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

*sorry if it seems awkward, the order of the paragraphs just won’t settle with me. :|

They deboared the Crux, sparing a moment or two for each of the crew, all of whom both travelers had become familiar with over the past days.  As they set foot on the docks of Inazuma, Lutsen realized just how far from home he was.  Somehow, he had made it to Inazuma, the notoriously closed off country of the Raiden Shogun.  Somehow, Lutsen had accompanied a goddess, a being as old as time itself, across the waters of his homeland, and into the place where only rumors escaped from.

They walked down the pier, Lumine scanning back and forth as she searched for her friend.  When they found her, the informant was not what Lutsen had expected.  She was not a shabby, down to earth and maybe a little below the law scoundrel, but someone who seemed of much renown.  From how the citizens of Inazuma looked at the woman Lumine picked out as her contact, she was a highly respected member of society.

Their informant, the illustrious Yae Miko, was a well put together woman with a professional air about her.  Lutsen got the feeling she was not the type of person to cross with.  She seemed a powerful sort of enemy, with at least enough resources to get a letter out of Inazuma even with the strict closures.

Lumine smiled when she saw Miss Yae, and went in to hug the taller woman.  She began speaking a mile a minute, so fast Lutsen could not understand what was being said.  He did, however, have an idea of what she would be asking and demanding.  For when had Lumine done anything but enquire about her brother?  Any traveler they met along the road was subjected to the same question, “Have you seen my brother? He has long hair and looks like me!” 

With Miss Yae, whom Lutsen knew Lumine had received the letter about her brother from, there would surely be even more frantic questioning than before.  With her brother having been spotted, with Aether identified and reported to her, Lumine would not rest until she learned everything Yae Miko knew.  Lumine may not even rest until she held Aether in her arms once more.  

Miss Yae interrupted his thoughts, and Lumine, with a smile and a gesture that spoke essays.  The movement of her arm said, “Shall we find some privacy? The news of strange abyssal activity is not something the general populace should hear.  I will tell you everything, you will not leave my presence without all of Inazuma’s knowledge about your brother.”  

Lumine breathed in, a steadying breath, and nodded for the Shrine Maiden to lead the way.  

<;>

They met in what must have been Yae’s home, a fancy place, filled with comfortable cushioned chairs and elaborate lighting.  It was more than Lutsen had seen in months, so used to camping out in the wilds, taking shifts so no Hilichurl could sneak up on them as they slept.  This luxury was a shock to him, even comparing it to the Knights’ headquarters back home.  This was a woman who had money for more than functionality and comfort, she had money for beauty and elegance in her home.

She sat down on a plush armchair, and forced a cup of cold dango milk into their hands, stating “After such a long journey, surely you need something to sate your thirst?”.  Nevermind whether or not he actually wanted it, or even liked it’s taste.  He sipped the milk, watching as Lumine and Miss Yae began their exchanging of information.

-<;>-

Notes:

have a nice day!

Chapter 28: i dont even know.

Summary:

An advance in the plot. sorta. we'll get there eventually.

Notes:

hello! I found an adorable little message the bookmarks of this story when I accidentally clicked on that instead of chapters when I went to post this <3

(yes this is a short cahapatr, but I thought it was a nice place to stop.)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lumine was ferocious when she wanted something, and what she wanted was the location of her brother.  Lutsen was aware that Lumine knew she was ferocious, she had told him herself.  Which meant right now, as she grilled every bit of information out of Miss Yae, that she was purposely being as unapologetically fierce as she could possibly be.  

Now, normal people are capable of this as well.  BUT, Lumine was a goddess as old as time itself.  She was a whole other level of terrifying when she got going.  In fact, Lutsen was glad he was sitting as far away from her as he was.  If he were any closer that would mean putting up with the incredible power of Lumine’s glare, the rapid fire questions, and, most of all, the sheer presence she gave off.  On a normal day, Lutsen could barely tell her from a normal human, though she had informed him this was because she purposely dampened her power so she would not attract as much attention as she already did.  

Today though, it was obvious she made no effort to cover her power.  She needed to know where her brother was and she needed to know now.  

This was reflected in the air.  It felt heavy, not oppressive, more like a weighted blanket just slightly too heavily weighing on a person.  She was the power of the stars and time, and here you could practically smell the void of the stars on her.

Miss Yae was taking her assault surprisingly well, answering each and every question asked of her without much more than a slight look of hurriedness.  It was impressive.  Even this obviously powerful figure was daunted by his leader.  

~

Lutsen had zoned out a bit, and only come back when Lumine stood up.  She nodded at Yae, thanked her, and turned to walk out the door.  Lutsen followed, he always followed.  

She marched along at a swift pace, nearly running as she led them toward a remote countryside.  On the way, they came across one of the teleport points he had always wanted to see.

Lumine glared at it, as if it’s inactive form was a personal insult to her.  She sighed, closed her eyes, and stood for a moment.  As they waited there, her chest seemed to begin to glow, getting brighter and brighter, until she shone like the sun at midday.  Then, she lifted her hands, set herself into an offensive fighting stance, and kicked the thing.  

This surprised Lutsen, as it would surprise anyone to see a powerful goddess kick an artefact of great power.  But, it worked, and the now activated teleporter began to float on it’s stand.

Lumine, woman driven purely by violence and spite that she was, simply put her hands on her hips and nodded with a smirk.

“Now,” she said, “The entire system has been rebooted.  My brother made these damn things years ago.  The people of Inazuma should have been upkeep them, they’re stupidly finicky little things.”

Lutsen nodded along, as if this made sense.  Why hadn’t she done this in Mondsadt, or Liyue?  It would’ve made the trip much faster.  And it wasn’t just the Inazumans who forgot to take care of them.

That, however, was not his job to worry about.  As it was apparent, Lumine did things how and when she wanted, and at least now they wouldn’t have to walk wherever they were going.  

~

Notes:

you are all appreciated and loved.

Chapter 29: The end

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lumine grabbed Lutsen’s hand, tugged him forward, and, within a moment, he was no longer outside under the sun.  Rather, unexpectedly and perhaps worryingly, he could recognize the stairs leading upward that signaled the inside of a domain. 

The sky around them swirled with the seven elements, a tie die of power from an unknown source. It was foreboding, and if Lutsen had been here alone he would have turned around and walked right out those doors. Instead, Lumine was ahead of him and already halfway up the stairs. Because if course she was. 

He was forced to trot to catch up to her, drawing his sword and readying his vision as he went, in case the battle began before he even got there.

Turns out, that he was probably only along for the ride. By the time Lutsen made it to the top of the stairs, Lumine was leaning over a figure on the ground. As Lutsen gingerly made his way through the still smoking remains of what must have been hundreds of hilichurls, he began to see the details of what Lumine was doing. 

There was a bloody and beaten man in her arms. He was blond, just like Lumine. His hair though, was long and tangled. The man, and it must be Aether, was pale, the color of snow. He was bruised and covered in crude bandages.  But his eyes were open. His eyes were open and they were shining as brightly as the sun. They were leaking tears, running down his cheeks, sparkling from the light of his eyes. 

Lutsen felt like he was intruding on Something private.

He retreated a few steps, giving the siblings privacy. Even with the distance, he could still hear Lumine whispering to Aether, her murmurs echoing in the silence of the domain. 

“You’re okay, Aeth.  You’re okay and I’ll never let you out of my sight again. Venti can’t wait to see you. He’s been lovesick since he lost you.” 

She chuckled. 

“I never should have left on that trip. I’m so sorry. I should have been here for you.  For our city. But you, you saved it Aeth. That Goddess never got in. Our people are alright. They’ve advanced the field tillers, and they’ve built towers to the skies.  Oh I’m so glad you’re alright!” 

Aether smiled at her, and looked over at Lutsen, raising an inquiring eyebrow. Lutsen stepped forward, and bowed to the god of the stars.

 “I am Lutsen my lord, it is an honor to see you well.”

~

Aether recovered. It did not take long at all under Lumine’s care. He reunited with Venti, and the pair became so in love they were inseparable. Lutsen was honored beyond anything a human of Teyvat had ever experienced before. And Lumine, she raised Sternenlicht back into society.  They became to center of travel and trade in all of Teyvat. 

All was well. 

Finally. 

Notes:

Thank you all! Keep out for the edited and lengthened version in the future!

Chapter 30: Children

Notes:

Shit wait I forgot one!

Chapter Text

The Dragons of Sternenlicht

 

The children of the sky and wind  brought life to the wastelands and sands.  Their light forced itself into the cracks in this world.  It whispered suggestions of peace and healing to the people.  It was a saving grace, an eternal blessing given to the land.  

   

    The wind was always fresh in the world these days, but even more so when the children were awake.  They often slept, but when the stars shone bright enough, the children answered.  The following years would be filled with prosperity, and the world would seem to be formed of light itself.  The children were a healing force, a powerful beacon of concentrated starlight. 

 

    The city of Sternenlicht was their home, and the light of the twins had been absorbed into the ground and sky around it.  The City benefitted from the patronage of its twin deities.  Around the world there were legends of great treasures hidden in palaces of gold, but the reality was far different.  Yes, there were treasures.  But not many.  What the people of Sternenlicht considered their treasures were the tapestries and the children.  And the secrets of the twins themselves.  

Notes:

If you have something you want included on this fic, let me know! And let me know if something doesn't make sense!

Series this work belongs to: