Actions

Work Header

The City Of Stars

Summary:

What if our dear twins arrived during the Archon War, and the Unknown God arrives later?

and

Lutsen(oc) is gifted a vision for no reason he can discern. Join him as he adjusts to his new life m

*Formerly know as A World In Pain*
*New, easier to understand version under development*

Notes:

Hi everyone! This story is still being written and progress WILL be slow.

Idk why the gaps between paragraphs are so long, let me know if it's bothersome

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Prologue

Chapter Text

PROLOGUE

(archon war time frame)

 

In the far starry expanses of a universe long lost to distance, two Travelers approached a world upon which they wished to explore.  This world was Teyvat, and it was a world full of life.  Teyvat was beautiful from above; it was a marble of green and blue, with wispy clouds surrounding it.  

 

The Travelers had seen many worlds, but this was perhaps the most beautiful they had seen in centuries.  Their own world, of course, would always be first in their hearts.  It would always be a place to go home to when things got rough.  The Travelers would keep a special place in their hearts for home, but they had fallen in love with many worlds and people along their everlasting journey. 

 

As the Travelers descended nearer to Teyavt, they noticed smoke rising from the surface.

 

“Brother, this world is at war.  It is not safe to visit.”  A soft voice said out of the silence.  Lumine was the younger of the two sibling travelers, but by far the more cautious.  She wore her hair short, pinned up with flowers from her homeland.  She looked concerned, she hated to see a world in pain.

 

“We cannot always run from trouble and strife Lumine.  We should see what they fight for before we make up our minds to leave this world.”  Aether wore his hair in a long braid, and hid his emotions so as not to give off weakness.  He often teased his sister about her caution when it came to unknown circumstances.

 

“You misunderstand me brother.  I was merely stating that if we stay to help we could come under the spiteful glare of a malicious god.”  Lumine was always patient, and she made sure she always clarified her words if her brother thought she said something she had not.  

 

“We have always been able to handle ourselves among the many entities we have met on our travels.  Though I always worry we will be unable to handle our next threat, I believe we should help the people of this world if we can.  What say you Aether, shall we skip over this world to the next or do what we can to assist?”

 

Aether grinned.  He would have helped these people no matter what his sister said to convince him.  She always managed to make it sound like she guilted him into agreeing with her.  She often did guilt him into things.  Buying her souvenirs, spending more time on a world she loved…. Things like that.  Lumine was the most persuasive person he had ever met, and he had met a lot of people.  She had the most adorable puppy eyes.  Nobody had ever been able to say no to her when she wanted something.  

 

<;>

 

They flew through the atmosphere of Teyvat, noticing all the craters and ruins scattered around on the ground.  This was a dying world.  The twins’ own world had been dying centuries ago.  They had saved it, they had saved countless worlds.  They had warmed worlds sheeted in ice, they had brought life to planets with none.  They could save this world, just like all the others.  

 

<;>

 

In many of the worlds the twins had been to it was the people who were fighting, the humans.  Here, the gods were in a war over who could stay and who must die.  The gods were busy, and neglected the lives of the humans over which they ruled.  Aether and Lumine knew what it was like to be ignored by your god.  They could help.  They would help.

 

The Twins assisted the nearest village they found.  It had no name, but the people lived on the edge of a desert.  The desert was introduced to them as the Mare Jivari, and they were told it was a god forsaken place.  The wind never blew there, nor did plants grow.    

 

Aether taught the people how to build sturdy homes and tools, and set up trade routes with the wandering folk of the desert.  The People of the Mare Jivari loved him for steady flow of tips and tricks.  Aether did not directly do anything, he explained it to the people.  The people in turn, took his ideas and turned them into beautiful creations.  Everything in the village of the People of the Mare Jivari had a reason for being there, nothing was ornamental.  Nothing needed to be ornamental.  Everything the people made was a treasure, expertly crafted and uniquely craved.

 

Lumine taught the people how to hunt and farm.  She taught them how to fight, should they ever need to defend themselves.  She was the heart of these people, their shining star.  The People of the Mare Jivari loved Aether.  They worshipped him when he wasn’t looking, but he was always so unreachable; so perfect and composed.  Lumine was different.  She was always smiling and laughing, she played with the children.  She was the person people went to when they didn’t know what to do.  The only time the People saw Aether show emotion was when she was there, when she teased him.  He would smile, and the people would wish they could make him smile like she did.

 

The Twins were exactly what this village needed.  It grew into a city, improbably perched on the far end of the most inhospitable place in Teyvat.  As the Archon War went on, the City of the People of the Mare Jivari distanced itself from the rest of the world.  It faded into the background, becoming like a legend.  The shining city on the far side of the uncrossable desert.  

 

<;>

 

One day, the elder of the People came to the twins.  He said:

“We have chosen a name for our city.  We will call it Sternenlicht, starrylight.  We are forever in your debt, and we wish to always remember the reason for our blessings.”

 

Sternenlicht was paradise.  If you could reach it, you too could live under the grace of the travelers from the stars.