Actions

Work Header

War of the Heart

Summary:

Answer to the Love Reflection March Madness WINGO Challenge Prompt #5, Author's Choice, and 18:

The Warrior King meets his match when he finds himself married to the strong-willed Princess of a pacifist kingdom

Notes:

This was a story idea I've had for years but I haven't given it any time be abuse it seems like an over-done premise. Maybe I can work with it more later. Maybe. But for now, here is a sample! Enjoy!

Chapter 1: An Alternative to War

Summary:

Answer to the Love Reflection March Madness WINGO Challenge Prompt #5 "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here. This is the war room." - Dr. Strangelove (1964)

Chapter Text


"Sanq Kingdom is defiant. It must be shown who the true ruler is!" His adviser argued. "They should be made an example of!"

"Septum, all they have done is speak of a better way for the kingdoms to be at peace. How is that a bad thing?" Trowa asked.

"War has always been our way!"

"And we're trying to find another way."

"Heero," Quatre turned to him, "there is a way to get what we need without bloodshed. We just have to look for it." Quatre added.

"Out of the question! We should storm the kingdom and take it as we have all of the others and that is my final word." Heero growled at his two advisers.

"A true ruler cannot afford to show mercy. We need the kingdoms to know who the real king will be." Tuberov added his opinion to the conversation. Heero stared down at the spot on the map where the kingdom in question was represented. 

"But please, my king, think of how that will appear to the people!"

"The people know who I am, Quatre. They know what happens." Heero looked down at the map. "Sanq Kingdom is rich in resources and its treasury is not to be ignored either. It is also strategically placed on our paths to the Central Kingdom!" 

"Yes, but is the loss of life worth it?" Quatre placed a hand on his shoulder. "What good is uniting the kingdoms when the people hate you as a blood-thirsty king? Only cowards would think such a thing a good idea." Septum walked forward and got dangerously close to Quatre, grabbing his lapels.

"Are you calling me a coward?"

"Guys, settle down! Let's not fight in the war room!" Duo chimed in, stepping up to place a hand on the shoulders of both men. 

"General Septum," a feminine voice came from the door. "If you value your hands then I suggest you release my husband." 

"Dorothy, women are not allowed in the war room." Tuberov stated.

"And I will not be insulted in such a way!" Septum yelled. 

"Septum." Heero began. "When I became king I kept you and Tuberov on as a courtesy to help me transition onto the throne. I will not have anyone assaulting my other advisers.

"I see then you value their advice over ours!" Tuberov uffed. "Well then, we shall see if these young pups can keep your path to the throne clear! Do call upon us when you finally see reason." Tuberov and Septum left without another word.

"Well, that could have gone better." Dorothy said, reminding Heero of her presence.

"What are you doing here, Dorothy?" Heero glared at her. He felt a headache coming on.

"She is with me." Dr. J, Heero's lead adviser stepped forward, leading with his cane. 

"J and I were discussing a way for you to get what you need from Sanq and retain some good will with the people." Dorothy smiled. Heero was always wary of her smiles. 

"It is a small Kingdom with a military force just large enough for defense. While it would be easy to take it over, it has an additional resource you did not consider." Heero's eyes narrowed.

"And what is that?"

"The princess, of course." Dorothy stated. "If you were to marry the King's younger sister you would have legal access via a treaty to whatever resources you require." 

"That is brilliant!" Quatre smiled.

"It would be a good way to save face and make a point Heero." Trowa added. "And it is said that  Princess Relena is an unrivaled beauty."

"Besides, it will help dispel those rather amusing rumors." Dorothy smirked.

"What rumors?"

"That Duo is your lover." Heero felt bile rise in his throat and took an involuntary step further away from his braided friend. 

"Wait, we're lovers?!" Duo yelled. Why wasn't I told. Man how am I going to break this to Hilde?"

"Enough!" Heero growled. "Leave me. I need to think on this a while."

"You take whatever time you need my boy." Doctor J patted his back. His advisers left as instructed. The topic of conversation still hung heavy in the room. 

It would be too easy to take Sanq by force. Their tiny army of 3000 troops were mostly trained in defense of the city and would be easily crushed by his 20,000. Heero ran a hand through his bangs. The king before him, Dekim, had been truly ruthless with the tactic of "scorched earth" being his idea of the best path to victory. It had been Odin Lowe, his mentor and comrade who had helped Heero see that there was a better way.

 

"The only way to live a good life is to act on your emotions. And right now, mine is telling me that Dekim needs to be stopped"

 

So they stopped him, though the bloody path continued, Heero was able to take over most kingdoms with minimal bloodshed. He did not enjoy killing but death was an inevitable part of war. He sighed. He too had heard of the princess and of her beauty and virtue. Perhaps an alliance through the marriage bed would be the best way to solve the issue afterall? 


 

"King Milliard. We have grace news." Milliard stood to meet the messenger. 

"Report."

"King Yuy's army approaches from the south. It is at least 10,000 strong." Milliard swore under his breath. They would be no match for such a force. "But they sent this letter for you."

"Terms of surrender, no doubt." He took the wax-sealed parchment and opened it. His heart nearly stopped, rage boiling beneath the surface of a calm exterior.

"Send for my sister and my wife at once. This is something I must consult them on." 

"Yes my king." As the messenger left, he read over the terms again. He knew what his options were. His sister would be the deciding factor and he knew her well enough to know what her decision would be. With a heavy heart, he awaited her arrival.

"Forgive me, Relena." He stated as he looked out the window at his helpless city below.

Chapter 2: Terms and Treaties

Summary:

Relena receives the terms of the arrangement from the warrior king but she has a few demands of her own.

Notes:

Author's Choice #2 for the Love Reflection March Madness WINGO Challenge

Chapter Text

"These are their terms then?" Relena looked up from the parchment, heart clenched in a vice. Her brother nodded.

"Apparently they don't understand the difference between a treaty and a terms of surrender." Noin stated, clearly annoyed. It was a feeling Relena knew all too well.

"You don't have to marry him, Relena. We can find another way."

"With their forces camped outside?" Relena pointed out the window. "We do not have time." She sighed. She always knew an arranged marriage was a possibility for her. Such things were common enough among the nobility, but this… 

Her head spun. She knew nothing of this man beyond his blood-soaked reputation. She was no fool. She knew he intended to use their resources to continue to wage war with the remaining kingdoms which went against everything her kingdom stood for. If she married him, then Sanq would be party by proxy to the senseless violence. If she did not, then her people were doomed. Tears pricked her eyes but she refused to let them fall. When caught between a rock and a hard place the best thing one could do was make the most of things until a solution could be found. The terms of the treaty were clear but...

'If he can make terms for this forced alliance, then there might be a way…'

"Milliard, I need a quill and ink and some parchment."

"What?" Her brother's eyes widened. "What are you thinking, Relena?"

"As the intended bride, I am allowed by custom to make a few demands of my own in regards to our marriage. I intend to do so!" The page boy brought what she asked for and, wasting no time, she sat down and began to write. 

 

"Your Majesty:

 

I hope this letter finds you in good health and good humor. I have read the terms and conditions you provided regarding the possibility of joining our lands through the bonds of marriage. While I shall agree to your proposals, I shall also make a few of my own…"

 

She continued to write until the page was full, being certain to phrase things as carefully as possible. If so much as one word was taken wrongly, then it could doom the kingdom. 

'God grant me wisdom and fortune.' She prayed silently as she penned the last of the terms. She signed it accordingly and sealed it with wax which her brother stamped with his ring.

"See that this gets to the warrior king. Whatever his response, I shall still be departing our home as his bride, but I hope, for the sake of everyone in his path, that he needs my requests." 

As the messenger made his way out to the hall, she felt her heart constrict even tighter. Her main hope hinged on the idea that the king could, in fact, be reasonable. He had opted to offer a peaceful solution of marriage rather than simply destroying her home.

"I hope I'm right about you, Heero Yuy." She whispered and watched out the winding as the messenger rode away. 


Heero looked over the parchment sent from the princess and scowled. Her terms were not outrageous but nor were they to his liking. 

"What does it say, Heero?" Quatre inquired.

"She agrees to be my bride."

"That's great! Congrats on the nuptials, buddy!" Duo chirruped. 

"She made counter demands." All of his advisers stared at him.

"Really?" Trowa smiled. "Clearly she is not your average princess." Heero nearly groaned. 

"She requests that for for our first year of marriage we do not wage any Wars but instead focus on growing our own resources in our home province with the aid of their best economists, agriculturists, and engineers. She thinks this will allow for a more stable alliance and only provide us with more of what we need in the future."

"It is not an unreasonable request." Quatre said as he looked over the letter. "She has quite an eloquent way of writing." She did. In spite of it all, Heero found himself looking forward to meeting her. If she was as beautiful as she appeared to be clever then…

"What is your reply?" Trowa asked. Heero frowned. It really wasn't an unreasonable request. And resting for a year would give his troops time to recover and to hone more of their skills. And after the rather more crude terms and conditions added into his own demands by Tuberov and Septum, it was hardly out of the question.

"Write back to the princess. Tell her that we agree to her added terms and that she may also feel free to bring as many attendants and personal effects as she pleases."

"That is very noble of you."

"If we are both to suffer this arrangement then she should at least be allowed to do so as comfortably as I can allow." The new document was quickly drafted, signed and sealed before Heeto watched the messenger speed away in a cloud of dust. He wondered, briefly, if this truly would be worth it, but something in his gut told him he was getting more than he bargained for.

Chapter 3: Matrimonial Discontent

Summary:

The day of the wedding is at hand and Heero begins to feel the impact of his decision in more ways than one.

Notes:

Answer to Love Reflection March Madness WINGO Challenge final prompt #18. "Discontent is the first step in the progress of a man or a nation"

Chapter Text

Discontent would be the best way to describe the overall mood of the wedding party, and-indeed-his own. The arrangement, though amicable enough, left much to be desired. Heero was perturbed. It should not bother him that she seemed unhappy. Their marriage was one of convenience and necessity; a business transaction and yet, from the moment her eyes met his he'd felt… different. 

 

The ceremony was scheduled for the following day. They rode through the empty town streets, windows and doors shuttered against the invaders. He didn't blame them. No ribbons or flowers lined the halls of the castle chapel. There hadn't been time. But none of that mattered to him. He would wed her and then return home to begin planning their next move on the path to uniting the kingdoms. 

All thoughts of conquest fled his mind when she entered the room. He felt her eyes on him even as her face remained covered. The dress was a beautiful blue satin that hugged her curves modestly. The veil over her face seemed hung over her honey-colored hair. His eyes were drawn to her almost magnetically and as she finally made her way to his side, he felt something in the air change. He reached out, as was custom and lifted her veil… 

She was breathtaking.

High cheekbones and a proud nose sat above thin pink lips. She was the very picture of what a regal lady should be, but what really held his attention captive were her eyes.

Large, aqua pools the color of a clear sea stared into his with an intensity that nearly staggered him. He found it hard to breath as the sheer number of emotions swirling through them caused his breath to catch. Hints of uncertainty wavered in their depths battling defiantly with determination. She was sad; perhaps disappointed but she hid it well. The emotion that hit him the hardest was the one he didn't see. 

Hatred. 

He expected her to hate him for forcing such a fate upon her but there was none. In its place was something he couldn't name, but it was warmer than he had any right for it to be and it called to him like a siren's song. It increased his own sense of unease. As he took her hands in his for the vows, lightning seemed to sear it's way from her touch, up his arm and to his heart. 

'She is surely a witch.' He thought, for no woman had ever had such an impact on him.

The priest began the ceremony in his droll, monotone voice but Heero could barely hear him. 

"Do you, Heero Yuy, Warrior King, take this woman as your wife and queen to honor and cherish, as one flesh, forsaking all others so long as you live?" He stared into her eyes and nodded.

"I do." Now the priest turned to her and again she showed no sign of hesitation.

"And do you, Princess Relena,  take this man as your husband and king to honor and cherish, as one flesh, forsaking all others as long as you live?" Her eyes found his, her gaze firm and strong.

"I do." Her voice was soft, melodious, and seemed to dance in the air. The priest continued with the remainder of the recitation. As they exchanged rings, her gaze never faltered. Regardless of her level of willingness, she was as determined as she was sincere. He thought he may have even caught the hint of a blush as he slipped his ring on her finger.

"I now pronounce you man and wife, King and Queen. You may now seal your vows before God and country with a kiss." He had forgotten about this part, but had no intention of shirking that custom. He stepped forward, leaned in and touched his lips to hers. 

Fire lit every nerve of his body and seared through his being to smolder in his gut. He thought, briefly, that she might have felt it too as her lips parted slightly in a gasp. In spite of it all, he felt a bit of pride at the thought of eliciting such a reaction from her. 

When they pulled back, his lips continued to tingle even as her eyes finally seemed to find the ground. The priest presented them to the meager crowd before she was shuffled away to collect her belongings and say her goodbyes. Such things must have been kept behind closed doors, however, for her brother's expression held the same stern determination as her own. 

She opted to take two lady's maids, one with dusty blonde hair in two long curls and the other with wavy gold hair. Both regarded him coldly as they passed. Trowa helped the wavy blonde into the carriage and she blushed. The other blonde was helped by a serious, Asian-looking man who, Heero learned, had been his new wife's guard for years and was married to the lady's maid he assisted. 

When the time came to assist his wife, he offered her his hand and she took it, coolly, as she stepped in. She did not look back but neither did she look at him. For the first time in many years Heero found himself nearly regretting his actions. Not the act itself. He always was a man of duty and honor. No. The thing he regretted most was the look in her eyes when they finally met his.

Pain, sorrow... and resentment.

Heero felt his heart twist as he released her hand and closed the carriage door. 

 

That had been hours ago, but the look remained burned into his consciousness. His heart still ached at the memory which confused him and the confusion angered him. And he had little idea how to remedy the situation and even less so if he should even try. 

He sighed in exasperation and ran a hand through his bangs. It would be a long ride back to the capital.

 

Chapter 4: Chapter Four: Difficult Journey

Summary:

While stopping for the night, the newlyweds ponder just how big of a commitment they have agreed to enter into.

Chapter Text

They made camp before nightfall. Relena was grateful for the chance to stretch her legs even as the evening air chilled her. Middie and Sally were close by, as always, to tend to her finding comfort in the warmth of the fire's glow. As grateful as she was fir the fire, she was even more grateful for their company. Not a day's ride away and she already missed home. She wrapped her arms around herself and stared into the flames of the campfire. 

Her new husband was nowhere to be seen, but perhaps he preferred it that way. She did not know exactly what to expect when she first met him, but when she first saw him, her mind went completely blank... her heart beat faster in her chest and she could barely breathe. He was the most handsome, unique man she had ever seen. His deep blue eyes held an intensity the likes of which she'd never known. His chiseled face held a proud, thin nose and pointed chin that spoke of a heritage from a distant land. He was taller than she pictured, but by no means as tall as he could be. His build was lean and well-muscled from years of battle; a truly imposing figure… and he was now her husband.

What bespelled her the most, was what she saw in his eyes at the ceremony. It took her breath away. The way he looked at her made her heart leap in her chest and her stomach flip. The raw, unadulterated awe when he looked upon her… A blush had heated her cheeks so fiercely that she was thankful for the veil. When he took her hands in his to say their vows, her whole body tingled and when their lips met, she felt something strange and new deep in her heart… 

And yet he forced this union. He threatened her people and left her with little other choice. Saying goodbye to her brother and her sister in law had been the hardest thing she had ever had to do. She could still hear their voices in her mind:

 

"I am so proud of you, sister." His voice was strained, eyes red, but from grief or lack of sleep she could not tell. "You've grown so strong and now, our people depend on that strength."

"Milli…"

"I would give anything to save you from this."

"I know." He hugged her to him, and she returned his embrace. When their father died, her brother became as a father to her and his wife as a mother. To leave them both hurt beyond words.

"I have made sure you will have everything you need, Relena." Noin hugged her too. "How I wish there were another way."

"I will be fine." Relena pulled back and gave them her bravest smile. "I have heard King Heero is an intelligent man and clearly he is not unreasonable or he would not have agreed to this arrangement."

"Remember all that we have taught you." Noin placed the veil on her head. 

"I will." Her sister in law kissed her cheek and lowered the veil to lead her to meet her fate...

 

"Relena." Middie touched her arm. "They say that supper is ready." 

"Very well." She followed the younger blonde to one of the logs set by the fire as a makeshift bench. 

"Here ya go, Princess!" A braided man with kind violet eyes smiled at her as he handed her a bowl of stew.

"I thank you, sir." 

"Aw! No 'sir' necessary! The name's Duo. I'm one of the king’s most trusted advisers and I'm at your service!"

"Then you must call me Relena." His smile broadened. A tall man with chestnut hair to one side of his face handed Middie a bowl and she saw Middie blush; the tiny smile at the corner of the man's lips did not escape her attention either. It made her smile to see her friend making a connection. Perhaps an additional good could come of this arrangement. 

Sally and Wufei sat next to them, eating their soup quietly. It was clear to her that neither one was fully at ease. Sally, like Wufei, was a skilled fighter and had been tasked by her brother to be a last line of defense in case something should go wrong. It was the two of them that had taught her quite a bit about self defense and weaponry, though Relena hoped to never have to use it. 

"So, how long do you think it will take us to reach the capital?" Relena asked. Duo scratched his head.

"Well, by my reckoning, with the addition of you and your attendants it will take four more days if the weather holds." He smiled and took a huge bite off an apple. "And I can't wait to get home! You'll love my wife! You two will be great friends!"

"I'm sure we will." She returned his smile. It was hard to see how such a kind soul could follow a man known for bloodlust and war. She had yet to see him around the camp. "Duo, do you know where the king is?"

"Uh…" Duo's smile faltered. "He's out on patrol. Heero feels the most secure when he is the one protecting the camp." His hesitation made her doubt his words. It was likely that the king did not wish to be near her...

"Is there any chance that I will see him?" Duo shrugged in response.

"I guess it's possible." Duo's tone did not sound hopeful. "I can go find him for you?" She shook her head. 

"No. The security of the camp is far more important." She stared down at her stew. Why did the idea that he did not want to see her hurt so much?

"Duo, what did you say to make the Princess so sullen?" A young, blond man walked over. If Duo's eyes were kind, then this man's were pure innocence.

"I didn't say anything, Q-man!" Duo frowned on what might have been a pout. 

"Forgive me, my lady." The man pressed his hand over his heart and bowed his head. "I am Quatre Reberba Winner, second adviser to the king and at your service."

"A pleasure to meet you, Lord Winner." She smiled at him. 

"I trust the journey so far has not been too unpleasant?" 

"Not at all. The carriage was quite comfortable, thank you."

"I am glad." He smiled. "Please, let me know if there is anything I can do for you."

"Thank you, Lord Winner. I shall." He nodded and then left to get his own bowl of soup. Truly, her new husband was an enigma. So many kind men worked with him, clearly loyal to the young king. 

'Maybe the king is not the fearsome brute that rumors would have me believe.' 

Somewhere in the camp, one of the soldiers began to play a mournful melody on a lute. It did nothing to improve her mood though the song was soothing. She felt Sally grab her hand and give it a reassuring squeeze. She was not the only one who would miss home. Part of her regretted taking her lady's maids with her. It was going to be quite the adjusted period. Still, she was grateful for the company. 

'Besides, they volunteered with such iron clad determination that telling them no wouldn't have worked.' She smiled at her companions. 

"Relena," Middie began, "it is late, and you should get your rest for tomorrow." Relena looked at her friend and nodded. She stood and made her way to the tent that the advisers so kindly set up for her.

"My lord, welcome back to the camp." The voice of one of the guards made her turn. He had returned. 

He took off a quiver from around his shoulders and handed it and his bow to his own attendant. He looked up, his eyes meeting hers. For a moment, time seemed to stand still. She couldn't breathe, or even think. His gaze seemed to pierce her, looking deeper than any ever had before… But he looked away just as quickly. It seemed as though the intensity was just an illusion of wishful thinking.

He had been avoiding her. 

The thought made her heart sink and her eyes sting. She turned, lifted the tent entrance, and made her way to the pallet that would serve as her bed. She did not bother readying for sleep; there wouldn't be much if she was any judge. She was far too exhausted and disheartened. She sat down and stared blankly at the tent walls. Between the homesickness and the blatant rejection from the man whom she was supposed to share her life with, she could barely keep her head up anyway.

"Relena… are you alright?" Middie's familiar voice was a bit of a comfort.

"In truth? I do not know." Middie say next to her, sympathy in her eyes.

"I know this arrangement isn't… ideal. But what you did saved the entire kingdom. We will get through this."

"I know." Relena smiled at her friend. "I am just tired, Middie. A good night's rest and I will be fine." The younger girl's brow crinkled in disbelief, the corners of her mouth pursed in a bit.

"You're either lying to me or to yourself, but for now, I will pretend to believe you." Middie smiled. "Now, lie down and get some rest. Things always look better in the morning." 

"What would I do without you, my friend?" 

"Probably be a complete mess. Lord knows, you'd lose your head if it wasn't attached." 

"Alright, alright." In spite of it all, Relena let out a small laugh. "Thank you, Middie. For cheering me up… and for coming with me."

"That's what friends do." She smiled. "Besides, I find that our new company we are keeping can be quite pleasant as well." 

"Like that green-eyed man you were staring at all evening?" This time, Middie blushed.

"I have no idea what you are referring to!"

"Of course not." Relena laughed.

"Oh! Go to sleep, your highness!" Relena continued to laugh as she laid down. She closed her eyes, feeling slightly better about their coming journey and the future that lay ahead.


 

For the first time in a long while, Heero Yuy was at a loss. He paced the floor of his tent and ran a nervous hand through his hair. It wasn't supposed to be this way. He was a warrior. He looked death in the eyes a thousand or more times and laughed in its face. He'd conquered kingdoms without blinking; faced down armies without flinching. And yet, one look from her made his mind go blank and his body forget to move. 

It was infuriating. And strange. She was a conundrum that he could not seem to figure out. And he wanted to… but he couldn't. On the one hand, he could just go in and take her, but that wasn't his way. Whatever his reputation on the battlefield, he wasn't a brute. In addition, he forced this on her. Theirs was not a marriage; not in the traditional sense of the word. It was a business transaction. He had to keep seeing it that way. She was his wife and queen but only so far as their arrangement allowed. He had no right to expect more from her and she, most likely, neither wanted nor expected anything more from him… but the terms set forward by the agreement were damning. 

"Hey, pally!" Duo entered. "What are you doing in here alone?" He smirked. "Don't you have a new bride waiting fir you"

"You really think a cold tent on a chilly evening is the right place for that?" Heero growled. It was hard enough to not imagine her with him in such a way. To have Duo openly insinuate what he could be doing…

"Yeah, I guess you're right. A lady like her deserves a warm bed in the castle." Heero closed his eyes and tried not to picture how her golden hair would look splayed out around her on the pillow as the dim lighting highlighted her naked skin…

"Is there something you needed to report?" Heero growled again. 

"Huh? Oh. Uh. Nope. Just came to make small talk."

"If you have time for small talk then you have time for guard duty." 

"What?" The braided main lifted a hand to the back of his head. "Shesh! You are in a bad mood."

"You. Patrol duty. Now." Duo frowned and turned to leave.

"Fine, fine. I'm goin'." Duo turned one last time. "You know, I don't know your new wife very well, but I think you hurt her feelings when you didn't even try to see her. You might try to do better tomorrow." He left without another word.

Duo was right. He should have checked on her. He should have, at the very least, found out how her journey was. Other things came first. The camp needed to be set up. Watch posts needed marked. Guard positions assigned… but he knew it was more than that. The resentment he'd seen in her eyes haunted him. She didn't want to be there. Her journey would be far from pleasant because of that very fact. He had no right to inquire about her state of mind. She was miserable and he was the cause of it. 

Heero swore under his breath as he removed his sword and laid down on his cot. There were so many unknowns ahead. He didn't like unknowns. He closed his eyes and the memory of their kiss claimed his mind. It was maddening! He never felt this way! He was a battle-hardened killer! Emotions were for the weak and yet since he met her, he felt his walls beginning to crack. Maybe, just maybe he was wrong. Maybe she wasn't as displeased with this arrangement as he thought. Maybe she could grow to love him and maybe, just maybe, he could allow himself the undeserved pleasure of a moment of peace in her company. 

Chapter 5: A Disappointing Arrival

Summary:

After the long journey, Relena finally arrives at her new home for good or for ill

Chapter Text

Chapter 5

The gates of the city surrounding the castle loomed ominously before them, dwarfing their small caravan. Relena tried in vain to get a better look from within the carriage, but the side windows were not very accommodating. She did, however, get a decent look at the city around her as they passed over the threshold. No cheers greeted the returning king. No fanfare proclaimed their return and no one came out to greet them. The people were shuttered inside faded, dilapidated structures which Relena reluctantly acknowledged as houses. A few shops strewn here and there were manned by one person a piece and the wares offered were less than appealing. It wasn't that she was too vain to consider anything valuable. She loved the artwork and effort of the people; however, everything seemed to just exist within a simple understanding of sheer usability and practicality. All artistic style and pride seemed discarded in favor of functionality and -most likely- cost efficiency.

The road was bumpy and from what she could tell was filthy with dried mud and animal waste and the unclean smell wafted through the air, making her recoil back inside.

"It appears as though we have our work cut out for us." She stated, and shivered as a draft followed her in. Middie pulled down the blinders on the windows.

"The city gates were impressive." Sally offered, arms crossed. Wufei grunted.

"Just goes to show how hated this kingdom is. Men with many enemies need such intense fortifications." Relena thought about that for a moment. Her new husband was a formidable man by all accounts. It stood to reason that he would have garnered the hostility of many through his conquests.

"These walls and problems most likely existed long before King Heero." She said. "I only pray I can help with that. Whatever we may have heard of the king, I believe his heart is in the right place."

"If he has a heart." Middie retorted. Relena did not have the time to rebuke her, for the carriage came to a stop.

When the door opened, the green eyed man, Trowa, held out his hand to help them down. Middie went first. Wufei followed and assisted Sally. When it was her time to get down, her eyes widened and she stifled her gasp. The hand that waited for her belonged to her previously absentee husband.***

As his hand made contact with hers, she felt a thrill go up through her arm and to her spine. Their eyes met and she felt her cheeks heat in a blush. She had no idea how to read what was swirling in those deep blue depths but she found herself hoping to one day find out. He assisted her down and offered his arm. It seemed as though it might be a customary gesture, perhaps to introduce her as their new queen. Whatever the reason, she found that his sudden attention pleased her.

'Perhaps this arrangement can work after all.' she hoped silently.

The castle was large and intimidating, made of a dark limestone intricately carved and strategically placed. It was clear to her that the structure had been built to last as all castles must. She nearly laughed at the silliness of her own thoughts. It seemed to help keep her mind off of the butterflies in her stomach that threatened to overtake her entire being. She made note of the tapestries that lined the walls. Many of them depicted family crests with large slashes through them, while some depicted images of still-life portraits. Such simple, everyday images seemed rather out of place in such an imposing atmosphere but it did help humanize the rather dark entry hall. The torches that lined the walls cracked and hissed as they passed almost as though trying to warn her away, but her husband held fast to her hand on his arm and they continued in. At the end of the hall to the left, was a large room; the throne room, she noted. Two men waited at the front, next to two large silver thrones. The deep purple satin cushion was accented by the intricate molded designs that were cast into the structure. She was quite impressed.

As they neared the thrones, the two men bowed low. Something about the way their eyes bore into her put her ill at ease. It was wrong to tell a book by its cover but even so, these men had a sinister feel to them that made her wary.

"Your majesty," the tall, white haired man spoke. He was dressed in a puffed sleeve doublet and matching tights. "Welcome home to you, and to your new bride." At the mention of her, his eyes flicked up to meet hers and she could have sworn that she saw something dark in his gaze.

"Yes, my king, we are all too pleased to see that all went well." Her husband nodded.

"Gentlemen, may I introduce you to my wife?" The two men rose, the first took her hand and smiled. His touch made her nearly recoil. His hands were cold and though his lips did not touch her skin, the mere proximity made her skin prickle. The other man, taller and thinner with dark hair and a strange mustache repeated the behavior of the first. The same sickening feeling shot through her. No; these men were not to be trusted and she would inform her entourage of such as soon as she was able.

"Tomorrow night we will hold an official dinner welcoming her as my queen." The two men looked to one another and it made her skin crawl.

"As you wish, my king. We will make the preparations at once." The men bowed their heads.

"Is this the famous Princess Relena?" A tall young woman not much older than she walked into view, skin pale as alabaster and hair of such light blonde Relena thought it to be an illusion. Her grey-blue eyes sparkled with what appeared to be amusement and her forked eyebrows were quite the odd trait. "I am Lady Dorothy Catalonia-Winner. You most likely met my husband Lord Quatre on the trip?" the woman took both of her hands in hers and smiled wide. "It is an honor to meet you!"

"The pleasure is mine, Lady Dorothy." Relena smiled. This woman seemed genuinely welcoming but there was an unmistakable spark of mischief in her eyes.

"Dorothy. Show the queen to her chambers. Hilde, please do the same for her ladies." HER chambers?

'Does this mean he has no intention to-'

"Of course, my King, it will be my honor." There was something… off about her tone. Not threatening or menacing as it had been with the two gentlemen. Just… off. She decided to shrug it off. As Dorothy quickly laced their arms together.

"Come with me, Queen Relena! Oh, I have so many questions for you!" Relena suddenly felt very weary. The idea of being barraged by conversation after such a long ride was tiresome, but she found she was not entirely ungrateful for the enthusiasm after the greeting she received from those advisers.

"Please, Lady Dorothy, I would much prefer it if you would call me Relena."

"Oh, no, I couldn't do that! I am much too excited by your new post as our queen. It was my idea to after all."

"It was?" Relena felt her brows rise in surprise. Dorothy nodded.

"If I may be frank with you, the kingdom is in a terrible state. The people are restless and restlessness can cause other, more dangerous problems. You understand?" Relena nodded. "By bringing you here, I have all but ensured a chance at stilling some of those troubled waters." She stopped in front of one of the large doors at the end of what could have once been a grand hall. "Not to say that I do not enjoy a good intrigue, but self preservation often demands a hint of tactful strategy. Don't you agree?'

"I suppose." Relena answered, still unsure of whether not to trust the blonde.

"This will be your room. Supper is usually served around seven but you may take it whenever you wish either here in your chamber or down in the hall." Dorothy opened the door. The fire in the hearth had been lit as well as several candelabras casting a warm glow on the otherwise cold room. The bed was turned down, pillows had been fluffed, and a tray of meats and cheeses sat ready next to a goblet and bottle of wine. It was all quite an elegant and elaborate setting. Her husband clearly intended to see that she lived in comfort at the very least.

"Now, I know what you're thinking."

"Excuse me?"

"I saw the look of disappointment on your face when she told me to bring you here." Dorothy stroked one of her obscenely long brows. "But Heero is not one to trust or let people in so easily."

"I'm sure I don't know what you are implying."

"Of course not, my queen." Dorothy's sickeningly sweet smile irked her. In truth, she was relieved that Heero seemed to have no intention of joining her. Her cheeks heated involuntarily as the thoughts of what brides and grooms typically engaged in when alone began to run through her mind.

"Why, Miss Relena, wherever has your mind gone! You're positively crimson!" Relena turned away to hide her face from the taller blonde woman.

"Please, Lady Dorothy," Relena tried to change the subject. "Could you tell me what time meals are typically served? I think it would be terribly rude to be late for anything on my first day."

"Fear not, Miss Relena. I have already taken the opportunity to write everything down and leave the information for your ladies in waiting. They are being shown to their rooms by Lady Hilde as we speak." Relena nodded, suddenly feeling very tired. The whole affair of the wedding, the trip, and the arrival weighed heavily on her consciousness. As if picking up on this, Dorothy offered a sympathetic smile.

"Oh, dear, I do believe you are quite ready to be left to rest for the evening." Dorothy made her way to the door. "Supper will be served around seven. I suggest you take this time to rest and refresh yourself. I will have hot water sent up for a bath and I will send servants to help you prepare for supper."

"Thank you, Lady Dorothy."

"Of course, Miss Relena. Until supper." She curtsied low and left the room. Relena sighed and all but collapsed on the bed.

"Now what, Relena?" She asked herself as she stared at the top of her canopy bed. "I suppose I should unpack and select a gown for dinner." Letting out a rather unladylike groan, Relena got off of the bed and made her way to the trunks that contained her clothes. The old, wooden chests creaked as she opened them and she pulled each dress out one at a time. She couldn't help but catch sight of herself in the mirror.

Her hair, though braided and pinned on top of her head for convenience during travel, looked lazy and mussed. Her face was clean, but her plain, gray travel dress did her figure and complexion no favors. She frowned and reached up, pulling the pins from her hair. She unbraided it and let it cascade in waves down her back. She wore no makeup, jewelry and all in all looked rather plain.

"It's no wonder he wants nothing to do with me." She frowned. A knock at the door interrupted her musings. "Come in." Four servants entered the room, each carrying two large buckets of steaming water on their shoulders.

"Begging your pardon, Your Highness, but Lady Dorothy commanded we bring this for your bath." One of the young men said. She nodded with a warm smile.

"Of course. Thank you for the effort. I know it could not have been easy getting all of that water up here." The servants' eyes widened and they looked between the four of them in surprise.

"N-not at all, majesty." He answered. "It is our honor to serve you." After saying this, the four emptied their buckets and returned to the doorway where they all bowed low.

"Wait, what are your names?" The four looked up, shocked again.

"Us, your majesty?" She nodded. "I am Thomas. This is Mathew, Charles, and Sam."

"I am pleased to meet you all." Relena smiled.

"The pleasure is ours." Matthew answered.

"Now we will leave you to your bath. We still have water to carry for your ladies in waiting." They bowed again.

"I understand. Thank you." They nodded and made their departure.

Left on her own, Relena undid the bindings of her gown and let it slip from her shoulders to pool on the floor. She walked to the tub and gingerly stepped in, letting her skin adjust to the temperature. As she let herself sink willingly into the water's warm embrace, a heavy sigh rumbled up from her chest. Her muscles relaxed and she leaned her head back against the cool side of the tub. It had been a stressful, terrifying, and yet exciting ordeal, but she was now married. To a warrior. She was his Queen. And it would be up to her to try and keep the promises of their treaty in the short, two years allotted.

"The prosperity will be the most immediate issue." She stated as she began to clean herself. "I will need to teach them proper agriculture and try to clean up the city as much as possible. I should make it a point to investigate the irrigation and waste systems of this country. It all seemed so unrefined." Her mind continued to run over a basic plan of attack, itemizing issues into a mental check list. All the while, she refused to think of the final, and hardest detail to fulfill. "But that will require more than I can do on my own…" she frowned. She rinsed off the soap, stood, and stepped out of the tub. She wrapped her hair in a towel, towered herself dry and changed into a nightgown. She still had several hours until dinner and Dorothy did say she would send someone to help her prepare. Relena covered a yawn with the back of her hand and made her way to the bed. Sleep claimed her restless mind almost as soon as her head touched the pillow.

Chapter 6: A Warm Welcome?

Summary:

Relena is trying to settle in to her new home, but will Heero accept her presense in his life?

Chapter Text

Ch 6

A knock on the door woke her from her nap. It had not been as restful as she would have liked, but she did feel a bit refreshed. She scooted herself to a sitting position and cleared her throat.

"You may enter." The door opened and two young ladies, perhaps a few years her junior came in.

"Good evening, your majesty." The taller one said and curtsied. She gave a polite smile, green eyes sparkling. The other girl, shorter and with brown eyes did the same as her fellow servant.

"We came to help dress you, my queen."

"Of course." Relena pulled back the covers and swiveled her feet off of the bed. Immediately, the brown-eyed girl was next to her.

"How would you like your hair this evening, my lady?" Relena looked at the girl and noticed a slight tremble in her hands.

'She's afraid of me?' Relena turned and offered the child her kindest smile.

"I am not sure. I used to wear it down often with two braids at my temples. I suppose you could just make it look regal?" The maid nodded.

"Of course, my lady."

"I see you have laid out the dark blue gown. A good choice, your highness. You will look like a dream." The other maid said.

"Please, could you both tell me your names?"

"Our names, your majesty?" The two froze; eyes wide. Relena offered a reassuring smile.

"Yes, if I am to be tended by you, I think it is only right that I know your names."

"My name is Anna, Miss." The tall green-eyed girl said.

"And I'm Abby, Miss."

"It's nice to meet you both. I hope we can become good friends."

"Friends?" Their eyes widened again. She couldn't help the small laugh and nodded.

"But My Lady, you're the queen." Anna stated.

"I am also new here and very far from home. It would be nice having more people here to talk to." The two girls looked at each other and then back to her. They smiled.

"We would be honored, my lady!" They said in unison, their smiles going from ear to ear.

"Excellent!" Relena smiled. Now, let's get me dressed. I wouldn't like to be late." They busied themselves immediately, combing her hair and pulling it into a long, but intricate braid.

"Would you like any jewelry tonight?" She thought about it for a moment. The crown she brought from her homeland was simple; more of a tiara, really, and fit delicately at the front with a matching necklace. Both pieces, while elegant, would be better suited for the official dinner. She shook her head.

"No, I believe keeping it simple for tonight would be best."

"As you say, my lady." They proceeded to aid her with her dress. The blue gown was long, satin, and stuck an elegant figure. She looked at her reflection with a satisfied smile.

"You look beautiful, my lady." Abby sighed, smiling.

"Every bit the queen you are, I'd say." Anna added. Relena smiled at them warmly.

"Thank you both for working so hard!" They both smiled.

'Now. If only my husband will feel the same…' she steeled her nerve.

"Shall we go?"

"Yes, My lady." They curtsied and followed her out. "We will show you to the banquet hall." Relena nodded, butterflies in her stomach once more. He was to meet her there. To have their first supper together in her new home with her husband and king. The idea still seemed so foreign but thrilled her as well.

'Come on, Relena. We have to put our best foot forward. The kingdom, no. My very life depends on this going as well as possible.' With one last smile at the two maids, she followed their lead.


Heero Yuy stood in his office staring at the dark-stained finish of his hard-wood desk. It wasn't that he found the desk interesting or important. No, his eyes simply wandered there as he considered his current predicament. He was to join his new wife for supper but he felt neither hungry, nor in the mood for company of any kind. It wasn't realistic to expect her to wish to spend time with a man who was basically no more than her jailer.

She had agreed to the arrangement; that much was true. She even had the courage to make her own demands and agreed to the terms and conditions set forth by his advisers. She said her vows with a conviction and devotion that most rulers would appreciate in anyone under their rule. But she wasn't just anyone and she wasn't under his rule exactly. She was his queen. His wife. And he knew nothing about her or how to proceed.

Heero ran a hand through his bangs. He was no stranger to the fairer sex, but his experience with them overall was minimal. Certainly, there were women in his life. He barely remembered his mother, but Catherine and Hilde were nearly sisters to him. Dorothy was… something different. But none of that helped with his current predicament. He had a wife now and no idea what to do with her. Of course, he knew things he could do with her, and sooner or later he would- they would have to… He sighed. In the past, he had bedded a few willing women, but this was quite different. Relena was a lady; clean and pure. And he forced her into this. The chance that she would be willing anytime soon… He half growled out a sigh as he ran a hand through his hair.

"What have I gotten myself into?"

"Knock knock, buddy! I've come to get you for supper!" Duo walked up and slapped him on the back.

"I am aware of the time." Heero stated and took a seat at his desk.

"Oh. Well then, shouldn't we get going? She'll be waiting for you."

"Apologize to her for the inconvenience."

"You're not going?" Heero poured himself a glass of whiskey. "Unbelievable! First, you ignore her all of the way here, then you order whisked away from you without a word to her, and NOW you aren't going to join her for supper! I don't understand you."

"You may go."

"Oh, no you don't, pally! Explain this to me because I don't get it! You agreed to marry this gorgeous princess just to ignore her?" Heero didn't know what to say. He took another drink. "You really know how to make a girl feel welcome." Heero felt his ire rising. "Tell me why."

"I don't have to explain myself to you." Heero growled. "Go to her and give her my message."

"Fine! Jeeze! I'll do your dirty work for you. Should I tell her not to expect you tonight too?" That was it. Heero got out of his chair, closed the short distance between them and grabbed Duo by the collar.

"You. Gone. Now."

"I'm going!" Heero released his braided adviser and Duo pushed toward the door. Heero could hear the retreating steps as Duo left.


Relena took a sip of her wine as she awaited his arrival. It had been nearly a quarter of an hour and her soup was getting cold. She looked over to her ladies who sat waiting politely. Middie, though obviously perturbed, merely folded and unfolded her hands in her lap repeatedly while Sally chatted quietly to Wufei. It was clear Sally had several things she wanted to say about the current situation but she thankfully kept it to herself. The longer she sat waiting; the less and less hungry Relena began to feel.

'Perhaps he merely got caught up on an urgent piece of business?' She hoped silently.

Footsteps behind her interrupted the relative silence of the room. The braided adviser, Duo, walked up to her and offered a polite bow. He smiled, although it did not reach his usually jovial eyes. His eyes went from her, to the untouched soup, and back to her, lips turning down in a small frown.

"You haven't touched your dinner?"

"I was waiting for the king to join us." She answered. She could have sworn a bit of color drained from his face. It didn't take her long to realize why. "He's not coming, is he?" Duo's brow crinkled in a grimace. She must have sounded more hurt than she thought.

"Well, you see-" she sighed and gracefully put her napkin from her lap back to the table. She stood and Sally and Middie did the same. "What are you doing?"

"Please apologize to the cook for me. I'm sure everything is delicious, but I am not hungry." She turned to her friends. "Sally, Middie, please do not leave on my account. Stay and eat." And with that, she turned and made her way back to her room. Her chest was tight and yet felt empty. As the door closed behind her, the tension she felt turned into a shaky sigh as she fought back a sob.

"He must truly despise me." She spoke to the room and felt the first stubborn tear escape her eye. Not a single word had been spoken, no time spent with her that had not been necessary. There was no other explanation that made any sense. She was trapped, miles from home, in a loveless marriage where her husband clearly could not bear the idea of being in her presence. It was all so disheartening.

Sally and Middie knocked on her door but did not bother to wait for an answer. Without a word said, Sally embraced her. The older woman had become an extra sister to her. She had arrived with Wufei as part of Lucrezia's entourage when she Lucrezia married Milliard. It was Sally's idea to accompany her on this journey and she has never been more grateful.

"Who does he think he is!?" Middie said. "Treating you like this after all that you-"

"Middie." Sally chastised. "That won't help."

"Seriously? You don't think we should say anything at all? He's being so disrespectful." Relena pulled out of Sally's hug and straightened her posture. She would not cry in front of her friends.

"There was nothing in the terms of the contract that demanded he and I spend time with one another. If he wishes to be on his own then so be it."

"Except you do need to spend at least a little time together. I saw the terms! You have two years to-"

"Two years is a long time, Middie. He and I just met. From what I have seen, I do not think he is the sort of man who warms up to anyone easily."

"That is still no excuse!" Middie continued.

"I agree with Middie, Relena. This treatment is unheard of." Sally added. "Perhaps you should say something to him." She felt her frustration growing much like the lump in her throat. How could she make them understand?

"I cannot force him to be around me." Relena looked down at her hands.

"But Relena-"

"Please, Middie. Respect my wishes." Middie opened her mouth to respond, but closed it and nodded. "Thank you."

"I'll tell Wufei that you are alright. He was concerned that you didn't eat." Relena nodded. Sally walked to the door, opened it and stepped out for a moment before stepping back in, face a bit pale.

"Sally, what's wrong? What did he say?" The older woman looked up at her, eyes full of concern.

"He didn't say anything. He's gone." Sally's expression was serious. "And I fear I know where he has gone."


"You really screwed up, pally." Duo's annoyed voice held an undone of contained anger. Heero looked up from his paperwork.

"What?"

"When you didn't show up for supper, she left! She didn't touch her food!" Heero was surprised.

"What do you mean?"

"I thought what I said was pretty easy to understand. She didn't eat. You really must have upset her!"

"Duo's right, Heero." Quatre's brow was pinched in concern, tone soft but disapproving. "I could almost feel her disappointment. You need to talk to her."

"But he won't. When it comes to the fairer sex, our friend here is an invalid." Heero bristled.

"Forgive me for not using them with the efficiency that you seem to prefer." Heero retorted. Trowa's reputation as the resident ladies' man never bothered Heero, but when Trowa's experience was to be used to call out Heero's lack thereof, it became an issue.

"It's so easy to hurt a woman's feelings but you seem to have no problem with that."

"Watch yourself." Heero growled. Suddenly, there was a disturbance outside his door. It flung open and the dark-haired man traveling with his queen burst in, sword drawn. Heero motioned for his friends to stay where they were. The sword tip found its position about a foot away from Heero's throat.

"What do you want?" Heero asked. The other man's dark eyes narrowed.

"You are a coward, Yuy."

"What?" Heero felt his anger rise.

"I cannot abide the way you have treated the princess." His voice was sharp with determination. "You have no honor." The man's gaze remained unwavering. Heero admired the loyalty this man had toward the new queen. But it was more than admiration. This man was right. He had been a coward; avoiding his obligations.

"Wufei! What on Earth are you doing?!" An angry, feminine voice broke through the tension. His wife stood in the doorframe, her two ladies' maids with her. "Lower your sword and stand down immediately." Dark eyes flicked to her before he nodded, sheathed his blade and backed away. "I apologize for my guard. I promise nothing like this will happen again." Her eyes were as cold as her voice but he could see the pain… He had hurt her… why did seeing it hurt him? "Good night, gentlemen." She curtsied and turned to leave, clearing the door frame before he could say a word. One last glare and then her guard followed.

All eyes in the room fell on him. He knew what he needed to do... He just didn't know how. A hand on his shoulder brought his attention to Quatre. The blonde smiled warmly.

"Start small. Even the tiniest ounce of kindness can do much to right a wrong." Heero sighed.

"I'll be back."

He stalked out of his office, down the halls and the stairs and into the kitchen. He ignored the confused looks from the kitchen staff as he ladled the soup into two bowls and piled fruit, cheese and bread onto a tray. He barely had the presence of mind to grab the utensils before storming out of the kitchen and back up the stairs, down the hall to her chambers. Somehow, he managed to balance everything well enough to knock on the door. A muffled voice-was she talking to herself? Or were her maids still there? A shuffling of feet and then the door opened. Relena's eyes widened with surprise, mouth slightly agape. Her eyes went from him, to the tray of food and back to him. She was clearly confused, and more than a bit surprised.

"Your majesty?" The term felt so cold though there was no hint of disdain in her voice.

"I heard you did not eat." She paused a moment before her eyes flashed with something he couldn't read.

"I wasn't hungry." Her tone was firm and confident, but he did not buy it for a moment.

"I've come to eat with you."

"I said I am not hungry. Besides," she continued, "I'm sure you have far more important matters to attend to." Again, her eyes were as cold as her words. Should he have left her alone? Should he walk away? No. He had to fix this. Somehow.

"I was busy in the office. I am free now. Let me in." Her face turned a strange shade of pink.

"You cannot come in here." He heard a slight hesitation in her voice. She was nervous. That made two of them.

"Can't I?"

"It wouldn't be proper." He almost smirked at the absurd irony of her statement.

"I am your husband. There is nothing improper about it." Her face turned a darker shade of pink at his insistence. It was amusing. "Now, let me in." She seemed to think it over for a moment before stepping aside and letting him in.

A brief look around the room pleased him. They gave her comfortable living quarters just as he instructed. He spotted the small table and chairs and placed the tray down gently. She remained frozen at the door watching him as he set their places. He saw the bottle of wine and the goblet, popped the cork and poured her before gesturing to the chair.

"Have a seat?" It was only half a question. He needed her to sit down. He couldn't sit until she did. To his surprise, she did as he bade and sat herself. He remembered to scoot her chair in and then walked to his side. Ever the lady. Her posture was perfect and each bite was taken with such care. He watched the food disappear between her lips. Beautiful lips. He wanted to-

"Are you not going to eat as well?" He realized he had yet to do so and took a bite of bread. "I… must admit, I wasn't expecting you to show up. Here." He swallowed.

"Hn?" He looked at her and she blushed again. It was a peculiarly attractive expression on her.

"You haven't exactly gone out of your way to make me feel as though you wanted to look at me, let alone…" she paused and looked down. "I'm sorry." She looked back up at him. "It's just that I waited. All this time. And you didn't say anything."

"I'm sorry." He meant it. "You deserved better." Her eyes widened briefly, before a soft smile curved on those lips.

"You're here now. That's enough." He found he could not look away from her. Her aqua eyes seemed to be asking him for something, but he had no way to tell what, but he wanted to know. He wanted to close the distance between them, claim her lips with his and... He needed to change the subject. He cleared his throat.

"Your guard is very loyal." He stated. It seemed a bit random, but he needed to change the subject. She nodded.

"Wufei has been with the family for years now. He did not take kindly to how he believed I was being treated."

"I gathered that." An awkward silence fell between them.

"I'm glad you're here, Heero." Her words surprised him. He looked up at her. "I know this arrangement isn't... ideal," she paused and her eyes met his again. "And I know it will be a big adjustment for both of us, especially given the… details of the treaty." The details. He knew what she referred to.

"I would never force you." He reassured her. Her eyes widened, before she gave him an understanding smile.

"I know." Her gaze never wavered. "But I think I would be correct in saying that we both want this arrangement to succeed." He did. He wanted to make this work… and he wanted her. He had since the first moment he saw her. Without hesitation, he stood, closed the very short distance between them and looked down at her.

"Relena…" she looked up at him, eyes wide. He leaned down. Her lips were parted in an unspoken question. He wanted to kiss her. He wanted to pull her into his arms and do his part in their arrangement… but this wasn't the time. And he knew it. He straightened back up. "I know you're still tired from the journey. I will leave so you can rest." He turned to leave.

"Heero." He paused and looked at her. She looked like she wanted to say something, but instead, she smiled. "Good night, Heero."

"Goodnight." He answered and left the room, knowing sleep would be a difficult achievement tonight.

Chapter 7: Plans and Plots

Summary:

Now that she and Heero have come to an understanding, Relena begins to work on her part of the agreement. However, things are far form as peaceful as they seem...

Chapter Text

Ch 7

Relena could barely breathe. His lips had been so close. He'd leaned down as if to kiss her and her mind immediately recalled how it had felt on their wedding day. Part of her wanted to ask him to stay; to brazenly cross the last few inches and meet his lips with hers… but she couldn't. Not yet. Neither of them was ready. She could still feel the heat of his breath on her face. The look in his deep blue eyes asked her for… something. Permission, perhaps? Or understanding? Either way, she was happy. Happy that he finally spoke to her; that they finally seemed to have an understanding. 

"For my sake, and for the sake of my people, I hope so…"

She stood and made her way to the vanity and took her hair down to brush it. She couldn't help but look at her reflection and wonder what Heero saw when he looked at her. Relena was never vain, but she had been told by many hopeful young suitors of her 'radiant beauty'. That and several other word choices spoken over the years seemed polite exaggerations. However, now that she was married, she couldn't help but hope; to wonder... 

"Does he find me as attractive as I find him?" 

And she did. He was very handsome, and she would have to be blind not to see he was a very well-built man. She blushed and stood back up to slip out of her dress and into a nice, silk nightgown. It was an unfamiliar texture. Heero's kingdom now consisted of many conquered lands, some of which were famous for textiles. It felt cool, and smooth against her skin. She smiled. This really was going to be a time of change with new experiences. As she tucked herself under the covers, her heart felt much lighter than before. Where despair had once been, now there was hope.  Hope for a successful alliance. Hope for a more prosperous kingdom. Hope for a chance of some form of relationship with the man she now knew as her husband. 


The night went by faster than she liked, but she felt more rested and at peace than she had since they left her home. Anna and Abby came up with her breakfast and to help her dress. Their smiling faces and kind chatter had helped make her morning better. They assured her the light lavender complimented her skin color well. As for breakfast, the two poached eggs, toast and juice were all perfect. The fresh fruit was new to her, most likely another import from one of the other lands. It was long, and wrapped in a yellow peel. She smiled.

"Thank you for all of your help." Anna and Abby smiled and curtsied. 

"It's our pleasure."

"Do you know where I can find the king?" 

"I believe he is in his study, your highness." Abby answered. "Shall we go with you?"

"No, that will not be necessary. Thank you both." The two curtsied again and Relena made her way out of the room, down the stairs and through the hall until she reached the same room as the night before. 

"This is ludicrous, your majesty!" A voice from inside declared. "You cannot simply give her that much power!"

"I agree." Another added. She did recognize them but not from anyone who traveled with their party. They were the advisers from the throne room. "It is foolhardy to entrust this outsider with so much control."

"I believe you have called me both ludicrous and foolish." Heero's eyes narrowed. "You forget yourselves." Both men's eyes widened before they collected themselves and bowed their heads.

"No disrespect was meant, my king. It is only that we fear the repercussions of handing over control to a foreigner."

"The terms of the treaty were clear. She and her people are to help us get stronger on the home front."

"That is understandable. However-"

"That's enough." He growled. "I have spoken." 

"Of course." Relena took that moment to enter. All three men turned to look at her. 

"Forgive me, my lords, I did not mean to interrupt."

"Not at all, my queen." There was something about the way this man said the word 'queen' that put her on edge.

"Relena." Heero's eyes met hers and she remembered again how he nearly kissed her. She smiled at him. "Did you sleep well?" 

"Yes, I did, thank you." The corners of his lips turned up slightly in a smile so small anyone else would have missed it. 

"Septum, Tuberov, you may leave now."

"Are you certain, sire? We still need to discuss-"

"It can wait." The two men stiffened, faces taught. 

"As you say, your majesty." The two bowed and left the room but Relena could have sworn she saw them both glare at her briefly. Once they left the room, Heero seemed to relax. His posture shifted and his shoulders seemed less tense. He turned to her and motioned to a chair. 

"Sit?" She nodded and sat in the chair across from his. "I suppose you heard most of what they said?" She looked at him.

"Yes. They seem to really dislike me." He frowned. 

"They were not in favor of our arrangement. They wanted our army to crush the Sanc Kingdom." 

"But why? Sanc is a peaceful kingdom. Of all of the lands out there we would have posed the smaller threat." Heero shook his head.

"It could have been that they desired to send a message to other kingdoms. But regardless, we found another way."

"I see…" she folded her hands in her lap. "That would explain those looks…" 

"What looks?" He had heard her.

"It's nothing, really. I just… on the way out… the way they looked at me…"

"Relena." He walked around the desk. "No harm will come to you." She looked up at him, eyes wide. She shook her head.

"I wasn't worried about that." She locked eyes with him. "But I think I will be wary around them for now." 

"No need." He took a step closer. "I told you. No harm will come to you."

"Heero…"

"Starting today, you have full control over the agricultural development of this kingdom."

"But my team won't be here for another few days"

"True. But you are queen now, and so the terms of the arrangement are already in effect." Relena let the full meaning of his words sink in.

"Then I would like to make one more request?"

"Hn?" 

"I wish to be in charge of the infrastructure as well. I think I may have some ideas of how to improve the lives of those in the city." He paused for a moment as if considering her words before nodding.

"Thank you." He nodded again and she smiled at him. 

"I don't know anything about those matters." He suddenly confessed. "I'm a warrior. A soldier. I was made king when my mentor and I overthrew the last king, Dekim Barton." She knew that name. There were not many kingdoms that did not. He was an evil dictator known for torturing his enemies and mistreating his women. He traded almost anything from slaves to the prospect of causing pain. For him to have been overthrown would have taken a strategy… and yet Heero and his mentor had done so?

"Your mentor?" He nodded.

"Odin Lowe. He died in the coup. The soldiers were loyal to me and so I became king."

"And do you wish to remain so?" He turned from her and looked at the map on the wall.

"It was Odin's dream to unify the kingdoms into one giant empire. To end war by creating one common king."

"But what about you?" She stood and walked to him, placing a hand on his shoulder. "What do you want?" He turned to look at her, eyes swirling. She realized how close they were…

"I don't know." He said. There was a lost look in his eyes; distant and perhaps confused? She smiled at him.

"I would like to help you find out… if you'll let me."

"Relena…"

"I know this was a marriage of convenience, but I really would like to be your friend." His eyes widened, and his gaze softened as his eyes met hers. 

"Friend?" He asked, brow raised. She nodded.

"And perhaps, in time, we may even grow fond of one another." He stepped closer, linked his hand with hers.

"Perhaps." He agreed. He was so close now. He leaned down and in and she tilted her chin up to hold his gaze…

The clock on the wall chimed the new hour and he stopped, straightened his posture and took a step back and he cleared his throat.

"I have already made it known that you are to be obeyed as though you were me. If you have any trouble, let me, or one of my advisers know." She released a breath she hadn't realized she'd held as disappointment settled in her chest. 

"I see." She cleared her throat and took a step back as well. "Will I see you before the banquet tonight?"

"I doubt it." He answered. He took her hand in his and leaned down, brushing his lips across her knuckles. She felt a thrill shoot through her as before and nearly shivered.

"Until tonight then, Heero." He nodded and she turned a darker left the room, feeling both encouraged and disheartened at the same time.

***

The banquet wasn't as extravagant as one would normally expect. Then again, the last minute announcement mixed with the lack of resources did little to improve the situation. She didn't really mind. The grand presentations of pomp and circumstance used to frivolously amuse the attending parties never appealed to her. 

 

Abby and Anna made sure that her appearance was, in their words, 'every bit that of the queen she was'. Her hair was piled high on her head in a braided halo twist. Her tiara and matching necklace were heirlooms sent with her by her brother. Her dress was a deep crimson, made of a soft, new fabric called silk.

Heero waited for her outside the banquet hall doors. His uniform was dark blue, pressed and clean. There were medals on his chest and a red sash. It fit him well, accentuating his lean form. His hair was still as wild as ever. He looked quite handsome and as he offered her his arm, she smiled and hooked her hand in, tucking it in the crook. Again, the contact sent a thrilling shiver through her body and she was drawn closer to his side than what would be usually customary. It was more than clear that he did not care. 

"Ready?" He asked, eyes meeting hers. She nodded and he motioned for the doors to be opened. A deep booming voice announced them as king and queen as they walked arm in arm to the table... 

 

The night went extraordinarily well. Those who were able to attend the last minute affair all complimented her appearance and praised Heero on his choice of taking her as his queen. Small talk ranged from her journey to the kingdom, to her thoughts on the current state of the kingdom. She even had the pleasure of making the acquaintance of Lady Hilde, the wife of Lord Duo. She was a petite woman with an attitude and spirit big enough for a woman twice her size. 

 

"I wondered what kind of woman would have the nerve to make demands of our stubborn king." Hilde said with a grin. "I'm so glad you seem to be more like a real person."

"A real person?" Relena inquired. The other woman smiled. 

"Yeah. Most royals are so stuck up and don't know how to relax. You, on the other hand, are just like us."

"Thank you?" Relena giggled. Apparently Hilde was one of the villagers displaced by the wrath of the previous king.

"Duo found me and win me over with his kindness and sincerity." She smiled warmly. "I've been with the goofball ever since." Relena returned the smile in earnest. 

 

It was clear to her that she and the dark-haired woman were going to be great friends! Most of the other lords and ladies in attendance at the dinner seemed unsure what to make of her although none of them were rude or unwelcoming in the least. In fact, many had wanted her opinion on things and listened respectfully to her answers.

 

"Tell me, my queen, just how do you plan to improve the economic predicament?" One of the lords asked. Relena smiled.

"By tackling the root of the matter." She answered. "In increasing the ability of the kingdom to produce food, we will be able to strengthen our people which will, in turn, increase productivity." 

"But should we not allocate the resources to the military?" Relena shook her head.

"An army marches on its stomach, but the same can be said of the people. If those who make the weapons and armor as well as those who grow the food themselves are starving, then one cannot expect a high enough prosperity level to produce the necessary resources for the military." This explanation seemed to satisfy all in the room, including Heero. 

 

And so it was that Heero joined her throughout the course of the week in inspecting the holdings, the farms, the fields and the city. It helped that, when her experts arrived, they were more than willing to dive right in. Heero, for his part, seemed to listen to their council on the occasion that he was able to be present. On one particular moment alone he found her in the library. 

 

He cleared his throat alerting her to his presence and she glanced up from her book. She offered him a friendly smile. 

"Good book?" He asked. She nodded.

"There are so many here that I've never read before." 

"You are welcome to them." He walked closer. "They are yours now." She considered his words. They were, in fact, hers. As the new queen anything in the castle technically belonged to the rulers and thus to her. The thought was still a daunting one. 

"I hope to be able to read them all." 

"You will." He said and walked up to one of the shelves. He picked up a random book. "Though some may prove more interesting than others."

"Do you read much?"

"No." He said casually. "My mother tried to get me to… read more." He tapered off, clearly not comfortable opening up yet.

"Did she teach you how to read?" He nodded.

"Father wanted me to be a warrior. Mother a scholar. I trained and studied as both." 

"Where are they now?" His eyes darkened, lips tightening. She had asked too much.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to pry. I just-" she stood and walked to him. "I just want to know more about you…" she took his hand in hers. He didn't pull away. 

"It's alright." He looked at her. "My parents were killed when Dekim attacked my village. I was one of five boys chosen by him to be trained into his personal guard. I'm the only one that succeeded." She knew what that meant. She squeezed his hand.

"Heero…" he squeezed hers back, eyes meeting hers for a moment before he looked away, released her hand, and stepped back. She wanted to reach for him; to pull him back...

"I have to get back to the study." He turned to leave. "Goodnight, Relena."

"Goodnight." 

"At least he opened up to me." She smiled. Progress was progress.

 

Within the week, Relena decided on where to set up the food storage. She posted openings for the supervisor positions for overseeing the execution of the processes. Magistrates and minor lords put their names in as possible recipients of those positions. In the end, she made it top priority to choose only those who fit the listed requirements. She asked around, did her research to find out more about the applicants. It wouldn't do to trust someone who may allocate the food and funds to their own pockets and estates. By the third month, efforts were already underway to improve the living conditions of the city. A sewage system was to be irrigated out from the river downstream to prevent contaminating the rest. A reservoir would be set up with a filtration system while the waste would be used to fertilize the fields. 

In spite of all of the progress, Relena frowned. So much was getting done so quickly, but the spirits of the people remained downtrodden. It didn't take her long to realize that the neglect of the city and citizens of the kingdom was less the result of a lack of caring and more a result of incidental neglect. As a result, winning the trust and the hearts of the people would be a constant work in progress. Wherever she could, whenever she was able, she tried to personally assist the people with the progressive efforts and the toils of their everyday lives.

"My lady, are you certain we should be out here assisting with this? I do not think the king would like you being so openly exposed to a possible attack." Wufei stated as he lifted a bag of seed into a cart.

"The king will understand. He gave me full control over these efforts. It would be wrong of me not to try and help these people as a sign of good faith." 

"Not that I wish to complain," Middie added. "But I really do not think it would be appropriate to remain much longer." 

"I agree." Sally said, wiping sweat from her brow. "It’s nearly sunset. Aren’t you supposed to meet the king for supper?" 

"That's right." Relena nodded and dusted herself off. "Let us go then. I have a lot of cleaning up to do before I'm ready to see him." As she turned to go to her horse, however, Wufei called out her name and shoved her aside. A loud 'thunk' sounded as an arrow found its way into the wood of the cart right where she had been standing. Relena's eyes widened, heart thudding in her chest as the realization of what nearly happened dawned on her.

"Sally! Get Relena to the castle! I will search for the assassin!" Wufei yelled before dashing off in the direction from where the arrow came. 

"Right." Sally and Middie grabbed her arms and ran with her for the stables where the horses waited. She knew the idea of her presence there was not going to be popular with everyone. In fact, she more than likely knew who was behind the attack but as she mounted the horse and made her way back to the castle, it hardly mattered. She needed to get to safety. As long as she was in danger, so were her friends and she could not allow that.

Chapter 8: A Night Together?

Summary:

After the attempted assassination, Heero meets with Relena to discuss new security measures... and asks her to stay the night with him...?

Chapter Text

Ch. 8

Heero ran down the hall as fast as he could. Someone had shot at her! Someone tried to kill her! He had been in his office looking over the documents of assessments given to him by the Sank Kingdom officials. There was much to do if his kingdom was to prosper. His heart leapt into his chest the moment Duo gave him the news. Why did the thought of losing her hurt so badly? Why did the idea of her death shake him to his core? He barely knew her. Whether she lived or died, they still received help from her country and yet his heart burned. He needed to see her. To know she was alright...

"Relena…" he rounded the final corner to her room and burst through the door. He found her sitting in one of the chairs of her room, safe and unharmed. She stared at him, eyes wide, and mouth agape.

"Heero?" He stared at her, took in her appearance. Her hair was mussed, skin smudged and red from exertion, sweat dripping down her brow, but still… seeing her safe. Unharmed. He closed the distance between them and his hand raised as if on its own accord to gently rest on her cheek.

"Are you… ok?" Her eyes widened again before they softened and she smiled. She reached up and cupped her hand over his.

"Yes. I'm fine."

"Hn." Realizing his hand was still on her face, he pulled it back, perhaps quicker than he had intended. "Duo said you were out in the fields. From now on, I want you to be under heavy guard wherever you go." He thought she would object or at the very least make another suggestion. Instead, she offered him a small smile.

"I understand." She answered. His eyes met hers and he nodded.

"I'll leave you now." He bowed his head to her and turned to leave.

"Heero." He stopped, turned and looked at her. "Thank you. For worrying about me." Her words surprised him. Nodding again, he left her room. He opened the door to his study and walked to his desk, placing both hands down on its surface. He closed his eyes and sighed deeply.

"Princess had a close call." Duo spoke from behind him.

"Apparently Wufei chased after the assassin. He has yet to return." Trowa stated. Heero nodded.

"We will be increasing security around her." Heero straightened his posture and turned to face them.

"Of course."

"I want armed guards around the clock. Even on her ladies in waiting."

"Bet you're gonna want guard duty over Middie, huh Trowa?" Trowa ignored the braided idiot.

"Whoever we assign must be well trusted by us all. That won't be easy to find."

"I think Wufei will take care of guarding Sally at night. She is his wife." Duo added before a wolfish grin spread on his face. "Speaking of wives, you could do the same for the princess, you know. I'm sure she wouldn't mind either." Heero cast him a glare so cold that Duo visibly stiffened. "Jeeze! It was a joke!" Heero looked away. It was true. He could spend the night in her room. It wouldn't have to be anything more than that. Not that he didn't want to. She was incredibly beautiful. Intelligent and kind. There were times he simply wanted to grab hold of her and-

"I will begin the vetting process in the morning. For tonight, we can all take turns."

"Sounds good to me." Duo said. "We can fill Quatre in when he gets back."

"Back?"

"He went to go check on the ladies. He's better at soothing nerves than me or bangs over there." Heero nodded.

"I would like my wife brought in here for dinner tonight."

"I understand." Trowa said. "I will go get her." Heero nodded. Trowa turned and left.

"You know, buddy, I really was only half joking. You could protect her better than anyone and you know it." He did. No one was better skilled, and having her in his bed at night would be preferable but…

"It's too soon." He said.

"Too soon?" Duo stared at him, eyes wide before rubbing the back of his head in resignation. "Oh well, I tried." He made his way to the door. "I'll go tell the kitchen the change in venues."

"I want you to remain there until the food is finished and then I want you to bring it here."

"You're thinking someone might try and poison her." It wasn't a question. He nodded.

"We cannot take chances."

"Yeah, you're right about that. Sure, leave it to me." Duo smiled and left the room.

Heero turned to look at the map on the wall, eyes falling on Sank. Joining their lands through marriage had proved to be the better option. He only hoped that, in time, the true potential of their agreement could be realized in every sense.


Relena watched him leave, her hand touching her cheek where his hand had been. The skin continued to tingle. He had been worried about her. The thought brought her more comfort than she'd expected. He cared. And it was more than simply the terms of the alliance. Even if she died, the terms still held, so he had no reason to care about her well-being beyond that. Her husband actually cared about her. Whether as a friend or something greater, it did not matter. As long as he cared there was hope for a peaceful marriage.

She took her bath and Abby and Anna came as usual to help prepare her for supper. She looked forward to seeing him. The longer they were wed, the more often Heero found time to be with her. At first, it had merely been at meal times, but over the weeks, he seemed to make conscious efforts to see her elsewhere. He attended as many of her meetings with her experts as he could and, at times, merely seemed content to walk with her through the halls. Every now and then, there was something in his eyes when he looked at her; something warm and reassuring. She dared hope it was a sign of his growing affection.

'I feel like a schoolgirl pining after her first crush.' She mused to herself. In truth, she did not know what she felt for him either. She had every right to hate him; to resent him for all but forcing her into this… but… when he looked at her that way, she felt her heart stir. Perhaps if it wasn't for the final term of the contract, it wouldn't matter to her.

'Is that the only reason?' She wondered. 'Am I forcing myself to feel something for him because of that?' Clasping her hand over her heart, she considered this. Love was not necessary to complete the terms. If she had to, she knew she could, and would do her duty to protect Sank. She had heard from ladies of the court as they gossiped amongst themselves that such activities were far more enjoyable when one was in love with their partner. Two years was plenty of time to try and see if they could develop those feelings.

"I just have to be patient."

"What was that, my lady?" Abby asked. Relena blushed, realizing she'd spoken aloud.

"Nothing. I was just thinking about how much progress we've made in the weeks that I've been here." Abby nodded.

"Such things make you blush?" Anna inquired, smiling.

"I think it's time I head to dinner." Relena stood. "Thank you both again for taking such excellent care in getting me ready."

"It is our pleasure, my lady." They curtsied and stayed behind to tidy up while she headed down the hall. Trowa met her halfway and bowed.

"My lady, the king requests that you eat supper with him in his study. There is much to be discussed." Relena smiled at him.

"Heero wants me to join him?" He nodded.

"Follow me, please." He led her down the hall, but his pace was slow. She soon realized he was trying to get close enough to protect her if need be. She slowed down until he was basically beside her. This was the man who had her lady in waiting so enamored. She could see why. He was handsome, even though half of his face was inexplicably hidden by his bangs. He was kind and quiet and it matched Middie's personality well.

"By the way, Lord Trowa," he looked at her. "I wanted to thank you for helping my Lady in Waiting on the journey here. You have been very considerate." His eyes widened a bit before he offered her a small smile and nodded. They reached the study where Heero stood staring at the map on the wall. He must have heard them enter because he turned. His eyes met hers.

"Your queen, as requested." Trowa stated.

"Thank you." Trowa bowed and left them.

"I was told there are things you wish to discuss with me?" Heero nodded and motioned to a small table in the corner. She joined him there as he scooted out a chair for her, before nodding her thanks and taking her seat. Duo soon entered with two trays of food on a cart and wheeled it to the table.

"Dinner is served, your royalnesses." Duo grinned and winked as he laid the food on the table.

"Thank you, Lord Duo." He frowned.

"I told ya, princess, just call me Duo. That whole 'lord' business just doesn't suit me."

"Of course. I'm sorry, Duo."

"That's more like it." He grinned. "Has he told you about the new security yet?"

"I was about to when you came in and interrupted."

"Well, excuse me for following orders." If she didn't know any better she would swear Heero rolled his eyes. He took a seat and they both began to eat.

"I am arranging for you and your ladies to have guards at all times. My lords are already looking for trustworthy soldiers."

"I see." She looked up at him. "I thank you for being so concerned." He nodded.

"I will also be having someone keep an eye on your food and drink to prevent poison from being an issue."

"You're really taking this seriously." He nodded again.

"You are my wife. I swore to protect you." He locked eyes with her.

"I know." She smiled; the sincerity in his eyes warmed her. "May I suggest someone for the task?" He paused for a moment before nodding. "There is a man I trust above all else who served my father. He wanted to come with me but I didn't allow it, however, I know he would if I asked."

"Send for him." He agreed.

The rest of the supper was spent discussing the improvements made by her projects. He listened intently, speaking little but offering suggestions where he could. It was getting easier to be around him. Their relationship felt more and more natural by the day and she found herself longing for these moments. Just the two of them. Together. She felt almost disappointed when the food was gone and her reason for being in the study was concluded. She folded her napkin, laid it on the table and stood to leave.

"I should be going. We have another long day tomorrow." She smiled and curtsied. "Thank you for dinner." As she straightened back up, he closed the short distance between them and took her hand in his. She looked up at him, startled. "Heero?"

"Relena…" his eyes met hers again, swirling with something she couldn't put a name to. "Stay with me tonight." Her cheeks heated, eyes widening in shock.

"Wh-what?"

"We don't have the guards selected for your protection yet. I can protect you better if you are by my side." The intensity in his eyes mixed with the idea of spending the night with him in his room made her heart race. He did not ask her for intimacy. His tone and words implied merely protection, but still…

"Heero…"

"I need to know that you're safe."

"Heero, I-"

"Forgive the intrusion." Wufei entered the room.

"Speak." Heero answered.

"I could not find the assassin. He escaped on one of the rooftops. But I did recover the arrow. The fletching and craftsmanship could give us a small lead."

"Well done." Heero turned to face the man. Wufei nodded and left the room. Heero turned back to her. "I will sleep outside your door tonight. It is the least I can do."

"Heero-" she wanted to reach out to him; to ask him to stay with her… but she couldn't. All she could do was nod.

"Thank you." He nodded in return.

"I will walk you back to your room." She smiled and they walked together out into the hall and to her room.

They walked in silence. She cast the occasional glance at him and considered his words. Her life was in danger and he would be ideal to protect her. He had asked her so earnestly to join him in his room. His eyes held no hint of ulterior motives and there was no deception in his tone. He wanted to protect her. The fact that they could be alone. Together. In her bedroom… 'He is my husband. There would be nothing inappropriate or untoward. Even if we did…' She couldn't finish that thought. Her cheeks heated and she shook her head.

"Are you alright?" His voice broke the silence.

"Yes." She smiled, butterflies fluttering in her stomach.

"Your face is red."

"I must just be tired after what happened today." He nodded.

"That's understandable." They reached her door. "I will stay out here and guard you."

"Out here? In the hall?" He nodded. That idea suddenly seemed so silly. She felt the blush stain her cheeks. "Heero… I… I want you to stay… in my room… with me." His brow raised, eyes widening.

"Are you sure?" She smiled.

"The bed is more than big enough for us to share… that is, if you want to." Heero's eyes locked with hers and she saw something flash through them. He nodded, the corners of his lips curling up ever so slightly. As she opened the door, he gently pushed her aside and walked in, checking under and behind anything where an assassin might hide. He dumped her water out the window and, once satisfied that he'd checked it all, he motioned for her to enter.

"Please, make yourself comfortable while I get ready for… for bed." She blushed again. 'I have a feeling I'll be doing that a lot more too.'

"Need any help?"

"What?" She felt her heart leap in her throat.

"With your dress. Laces. Bindings."

"Are you well acquainted with such procedures?" She meant it as a joke; perhaps due to her own nervousness. She felt incredibly foolish and regretted them the moment they left her lips. She saw his shoulders tense.

"I have had... some." He answered honestly. She felt a stab of jealousy; small but there.

"I see." She tried to keep her disappointment from her voice. She walked behind the partition and noticed he turned his back.

The fact he thought to ask this told that he had some experience with women's clothes. More specifically, taking them off of someone. 'Not that I blame him. Of course he's done that before.' She suddenly felt very self conscious. Was she, or they, prettier than her? She glanced down at her figure and frowned; her breasts were not what could be called large by any means, but rather proportional. Her figure was slim, but lithe and toned. Altogether, she knew she wasn't unappealing.

She finished changing into her nightgown. It wasn't what one would call attractive, but it would serve its purpose. She walked out from behind the partition and over to the bed.

"Alright." She gave him the signal to turn around. He turned to face her and his eyes widened, roaming down from her face to her toes and back up. There was a repressed heat in his eyes. She blushed under his gaze and made her way to the bed. He removed his boots, and unbuttoned and removed his vest. He reached down and pulled his shirt up and over his head. It was her turn to stare.

His chest and abdomen were well muscled and toned. Various scars from past battles randomly marred his otherwise perfect skin. She found herself wanting to touch his skin to see if it was as smooth as it looked. Her cheeks heated and she looked away. He walked to his side of the bed but stood, waiting.

"They were whores." Heero stated suddenly.

"What?" Relena found herself taken aback by his frankness.

"The women that I…" he stopped himself. "Dekim Barton chose me as his successor. His own sons died during his conquests. He said I needed to become a real man." Relena heard the shame and anger in his voice. "I had no choice." She felt her heart ache.

'Such a hard and terrible past…'

"It doesn't matter. Your past cannot be changed." She smiled softly at him. "And you have nothing to be ashamed of."

"I do." He said. "Even without Dekim, I've done things. Things that I…" he stopped again and his eyes stared blankly ahead.

"Heero." She walked to him, reached out and took his hand in hers. "Your past cannot be changed. But your future can be whatever you make it. And I…" she paused, her face heating. "I hope you will let me help you make it a great one."

"Relena…" his eyes locked with hers and she saw so many things swirling in them all at once. He squeezed her hand and she thought, for a moment he might… but he nodded.

She smiled and he released her hand. She walked to the side of the bed, sat down and pulled back the covers to climb in. He followed suit, doing the same but still leaving a respectable distance between them. As she pulled the comforter over her, she could feel his presence in her bed as though he were right by her side. In spite of the newness, something about this- about him, felt right. She smiled to herself and sighed, surprisingly content.

"Goodnight, Heero."

"Goodnight, Relena."

Chapter 9: Girl Talk and Goals

Summary:

The next Morning, Heero and Relena reflect on the night before and their friends decide to get involved

Chapter Text

Ch 9

Heero awoke in an unfamiliar room to unfamiliar sounds and unfamiliar smells. The sounds were soft; sleeping breaths. The smells were pleasant: roses and vanilla. A delicate scent. Feminine. Hers. He felt her warmth against him and realized that, at some point in the night, his arms had wrapped around her. She felt warm, and soft. Holding her felt… right. He leaned in and let the silken strands of her hair tickle his face; breathed her in and tried to commit it to memory.

His sleep had been… peaceful. For the first time in longer than he could remember, no nightmares had plagued him. No cursed memories or flashbacks visited him. Being with her seemed to scare such things away. He could get used to this. To her. But he couldn't stay. If she woke to find him holding her there was no telling how she would react. He reluctantly pulled himself away from her, missing her warmth instantly.

She sighed and he paused to look at her sleeping form. She was smiling. She looked so beautiful when she smiled, and when he saw her in that thin nightgown, her beauty took his breath away. If he had been less of a gentleman, he might have torn it off of her and pressed her to him in a demanding embrace. Gentlemen didn't do that sort of thing. He'd been taught at least that much. Catherine was the one who told him what a real man was. She taught him the meaning of civility and gentility in a savage and violent environment. She was an elder sister to him and to those of who were unfortunate enough to be left homeless and alone by Dekim's cruelty. He only hoped that what he'd learned would be enough. Relena deserved the best.

She began to stir. He put his shirt back on and was buttoning up his vest when she sat up. Her eyes found him there in the dim, early morning light. A blush stained her skin to a deep pink. She offered him a nervous smile and looked down.

"Good morning." He said.

"Good morning." She made a move to pull the blankets up but seemed to think better of it. "Did you sleep well?" The memory of her warmth came back to him. He nodded.

"Did I wake you?" He asked. She shook her head. "I wanted to be up and outside your door before the maids arrived." She raised a brow, but then seemed to understand his meaning. He didn't want any chance of misunderstandings. Nothing happened and he didn't want the castle talking. Not if she wasn't ready for such things.

"Will you stay and eat with me? I can have them bring two trays."

"No." The disappointment in her eyes both pleased and hurt him. She wanted him to stay. "I have a lot to do regarding your protection. I trust Wufei will take care of that for today?" She nodded.

"Yes. There is no one better." She smiled.

"No one?" He asked, half teasing.

"Well, except, perhaps you, of course." She smiled, clearly catching his jest.

"I will remain outside the door until your maids arrive. Please let me know when you leave for the day."

"Of course." He turned to leave.

"Heero?" He stopped, hand over the door knob. He looked at her. "Thank you. For protecting me." He nodded and left the room. It wasn't long before the two maids appeared. They stared at him, startled.

"My king!"

"As you were."

"Yes, my king." They said in unison. They curtsied and entered her room. With a sigh, Heero made his way to his own room for some fresh clothes and a quick bite to eat.

Trowa was already waiting for him when he made it to his study. The taller man's arms were crossed and he leaned against the wall, eyes closed. Of all his advisers, he and Trowa seemed to be cut from the same cloth. When he met the older boy and his sister, Dekim had finished looting a small town where Trowa and Catherine's caravan had stopped for the night. They were a roving band of performers that made their living by entertaining the masses. Out of a cruel sense of humor, Dekim had them perform for him before slaughtering most of their crew. Their parents, who were the leaders of the troupe, were the first to die. Both Trowa and Catherine did their parts in helping to overthrow the former dictator without a moment's hesitation.

"You have news for me?" Trowa nodded and pushed off the wall.

"I was able to find men we can trust to guard the queen. Duo and I trained them ourselves."

"You are certain they can't be bought or swayed by anyone?" Trowa nodded.

"Dekim planned to sell them to slavery. We broke their chains personally."

"Good. See that they begin their detail immediately." Trowa nodded.

"Hey hey, Buddy! I went in to wake you this morning but you weren't in your room." The braided man grinned. "I wonder where you could have been." Heero rolled his eyes and deliberately ignored him.

"Trowa, make sure my wife has at least two guards. Give one to Middie. Sally should be fine with her husband."

"Of course."

"I noticed you're dodging my question." Duo pressed.

"I was guarding Relena." He responded flatly.

"Guarding her? Or-" Heero glared at his friend and Duo shut up immediately. "Okay, okay, guarding." Duo sighed. "You both are impossible, you know that?" Duo leaned against the desk. "Trowa refuses to properly woo Middie and you, your majesty, are neglecting your marital duties!"

"Our love lives are none of your concern." Heero nearly growled. He didn't need the braided idiot to remind him that he and Relena had yet to do anything. The memory of lying next to her and doing nothing more was torture enough.

"Come on, Heero. What's stopping you? You think she's gorgeous, right?" Heero sighed. She was more than gorgeous. He nodded.

"Then go get her! Sweep her off her feet and into your bed!"

"It's not that simple." Trowa answered for him. "Even I can see that."

"What? Why?"

"I won't force her. I can't." Heero answered.

"I didn't say you should." Duo held up his hands.

"Are you really this dense?" Trowa walked over. "He doesn't know how she feels about him. He wants to know and be sure that she wants him."

"Jeeze. Okay. I get it." He suddenly grinned again. "And I've got an idea! I'll send Hilde to talk to her and find out where she stands. If Q gets Dorothy to do the same then you two will be making sweet love in no time!" Duo winked.

"Always so crude, Duo." Quatre said as he entered the room. "I can speak with Dorothy about Relena's feelings but I feel that my wife will be less than tactful."

"Who needs tact?" Duo waved away the statement. "We need these two to get busy to create a baby to finalize the alliance!" Heero felt his gut twist in a knot at the reminder of that clause.

"I will have Cathy be there as well." Trowa added. "But I doubt this will work."

"Couldn't hurt!" Duo added.

"Enough!" Heero nearly yelled. "Relena is my wife, but I will not have her feel rushed or pressured."

"There wouldn't be any pressure if those two idiots, Septum and Tuberov weren't allowed to add that little detail." Duo complained and flopped himself down in one of the chairs.

"I agree." Quatre frowned. "I don't see why they felt such a clause to be necessary. Marriage alone should be enough." Heero looked at the map on the wall. Why had they insisted on that clause? What did it add? Not for the first time, Heero doubted the motives of Dekim's old advisers.

"Trowa, I want your spy ring to monitor the actions of those two. I want a quiet investigation into everything they have been up to."

"It will be my pleasure." Trowa smirked. There was no love lost between the former performer and the two men.

"The rest of you, see to it that Relena's food and drink are checked carefully and that she is never alone."

"Don't worry about that, pally." Duo grinned. Heero nearly groaned. While Duo's heart was in the right place, Heero feared the repercussions of such an undertaking.

"Have a little faith, Bangs!" Duo quipped. "It'll work! What do ya say, Heero?"

'If I am to make this arrangement work, then it can't really be helped.'

"Do what you want." Heero sat down at his desk. "Have breakfast brought to me once you've left." With that, he picked up his paperwork and buried himself in matters of king and country.


Relena couldn't stop her cheeks from heating. The thought of the previous night kept recurring:

She woke to a warm, heavy feeling around her waist. It didn't take her long to realize that, at some point, Heero had draped his arm over her.

She hadn't known what to do. She hadn't wanted to move and chance waking him, but did not know if such a thing was appropriate. Of course, he was her husband. Lying next to one's husband wasn't anything to be ashamed of. So why was she so flustered?

"My lady, are you alright?" Abby asked as she finished braiding her hair.

"Yes, Abby, why do you ask?"

"You're awfully flushed, my lady."

"Did something happen between you and the king?"

"Anna!" Abby chastised her. Relena's face burned even hotter.

"Well, we saw him outside the door-"

"Which means nothing!" Abby said.

"Ladies, please." Relena nervously intervened. "Yesterday, there was an attempt on my life." Both girls gasped. "I did not tell you because I did not wish to alarm you."

"Are you alright?"

"Did they catch the person?"

"Yes, I'm fine. No, they didn't catch the assassin. But the king was concerned for my well being and so he protected me by standing guard all night."

"He guarded you all night?" Anna said.

"How romantic!" Anna sighed dreamily.

"It wasn't like that, really." Relena corrected them.

"But, my lady," Abby said, "The king wouldn't do that for just anyone. He must really care for you!" Relena considered her words. Could it be true? Could he actually care? The memory of his arm around her came back and she closed her eyes. A knock on the door mercifully saved her from further discussing the subject.

"Enter."

"Morning princess!" Duo walked in, grinning. "I brought you your breakfast!"

"A lord is bringing me my breakfast?"

"Yep. His majesty wanted to be sure of the safety of your meal. I watched the cook through the whole process and dished it out myself!"

"Heero ordered you to?" He nodded.

"Not that I minded. You've gotta stay safe if we're gonna make this work." His grin was as friendly as it was reassuring. She smiled back.

"I appreciate that, Duo."

"By the way, I know you have a busy day, but my wife would love to meet with you for lunch if you can."

"Of course!" Relena smiled, thrilled. "Tell her I'll meet her here in the dining nook of my room."

"Oh, and Lady Dorothy and Lady Catherine want to join you too!" Duo grinned. "You'll have an interesting time."

"I'm sure." Relena smiled.

"I'll leave you to your meal! Have a good one!"

Relena watched him leave and barely registered anything else. Her mind continued to return to the thought that Heero may actually care about her beyond that which was required of the agreement. He had hardly made her queen in name only. He let her be in full control of all of the processes promised in her kingdom's half of the agreement! They didn't always see eye to eye on policies, but he listened to her suggestions and actually took a few into consideration. One incident in her first week was particularly telling as to the tone of their relationship.

"My king," Tuberov began. "If we were to seize the lands right next to ours we could add their soil to the resources! Use their land to grow more food!"

"You can't do that!" Relena objected. "If you seize any part of the neighboring land then they will surely declare war!"

"And if they do then we will crush them." Septum countered. "My king, why is she here? She knows nothing of these procedures."

"On the contrary, gentlemen, I  do  know of these procedures. My brother involved me regularly in matters of state."

"My king, think of it. They are too weak to pose a threat." Heero paused and considered his words. Relena watched Heero carefully, hoping he would do the right thing.

"We  do  need the resources." Heero agreed. "And I have heard they do not monitor those lands effectively."

"You cannot be serious! You can't actually be considering this?" She objected. He turned to her, eyes meeting hers in an unspoken dare.

"And what if I am?"

"Then you are foolishly disregarding the health and safety of your army! This is the worst time of year for skirmishes! And the terms of your alliance with Sanc clearly state that there is to be no war for a year."

"One skirmish does not equal a war."

"But it could lead to one!" She stood toe to toe with him, glaring up into his eyes. "Is that a chance you're willing to take?" She felt her heart beating loudly in her chest. "Are you willing to throw everything away for a few plots of land?" Heero glared down at her, eyes hard as stone. What seemed like an eternity passed before he blinked and looked away.

"We will not advance on the neighboring land." Heero stated.

"But, Sire-!" Both advisers began.

"I have spoken." Heero reinforced his statement. The two men's eyes widened, narrowed, and then they both bowed.

"As you say, my king." Heero turned his eyes to her. They were softer. The corners of his lips softened. It wasn't a smile, but it was a sign of peaceful agreement.

Following that day, her words were taken more seriously. Septum and Tuberov no longer attended if she was there, although she had no doubt that they continued to give Heero their terrible advice in her absence. She only hoped he considered to use good judgment and refuse any and all terrible suggestions from those men.

The rest of the morning flew by. She consulted with her experts and crunched numbers of when and how much time and money it would take to reach the end of the month's quota. Howard, her engineer, had developed plans for machines to help with the planting and harvesting as well as an effective and efficient way to make their irrigation and sewage systems work in tandem. She nearly forgot about her lunch appointment with the two prominent ladies. If not for a helpful nudge from Anna, who had brought some mid-morning refreshment, then she might have missed it entirely.

She found the three women waiting in her chambers with Sally and Middie, all drinking tea and laughing. In the short few months she had known them, Dorothy and Hilde were as different as two women could be. The fact that they seemed to mesh so well with her own ladies was a welcome surprise. Middie usually did not trust easily and was always a spitfire when countered and Sally was a determined, knowledgeable woman with a strong personality. The fact that these five, very different women were not only together but laughing like old friends made her a bit wary of what exactly she was walking into.

"There she is!" Dorothy smiled. "We were quite afraid that you had forgotten about us."

"My apologies. I nearly did." She approached the table and took her seat. "Sir Howard brought in some new plans I had to approve and it took a bit longer than I had anticipated."

"Well, now you can sit and relax." Hilde said, as Middie poured her some tea.

"But absolutely no talk about the work you've been doing is allowed." Catherine added.

"I agree with them, Relena. You've been working hard. You need to relax and rest a moment." Sally chided.

"Speaking of rest, how did you sleep last night, Miss Relena?" Dorothy smiled at her own question. Relena felt her cheeks heat uncontrollably.

"Well, I… I slept very well, thank you." She stirred two sugar cubes into her tea and took a drink.

"I'm sure." Dorothy sipped her tea. "I know I sleep rather well in the arms of an attractive man." Relena nearly spat out her tea.

"Excuse me?" Relena could hardly believe word of Heero's visit had reached so far.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of, Miss Relena. He is your husband. It is only to be expected." Catherine added nonchalantly.

"It wasn't like that at all!"

"So he was in your room!" Hilde let out a small unladylike groan. "Blast it all!"

"I believe you owe me, Hilde." Dorothy laughed.

"Ladies, please," Relena began. "I know what you are implying, and I can assure you that nothing happened."

"Nothing?" Sally asked. Relena nodded.

"You know I would have told you and Middie if it had!"

"That is true." Middie nodded and put her cup down.

"So, then, you're telling us that the king stayed the night with you and nothing happened?" Hilde declared.

"Whatever is the matter? Do you not want to?" Dorothy prodded. If her cheeks were red before they were burning now.

"Well, I-" she stopped. "I don't see how that's any-"

"Don't you think he's handsome?" Hilde asked.

"Well, yes, of course, but I-"

"And you want the alliance to succeed, right?" Sally added.

"Of course I do!"

"Then why in heaven's name is it taking so long for you to do the necessary act?" Dorothy asked. "He did come to your room." Relena felt a headache coming on. Her annoyance was growing by the second.

"Yes, he did." She took a deep breath to calm herself. "Heero walked to my room with me and stayed because someone tried to kill me yesterday. They didn't have security worked out yet, so Heero stayed to keep me safe."

"That's Heero, alright. Noble and practical to a fault." Hilde nearly groaned.

"Let me ask you this, Miss Relena." Catherine began. "If he did come to you with the intention to enact the marital duties, would you be willing?"

"You ladies simply will not leave this alone will you?"

"Of course not." Dorothy stated. "You have a problem, namely, the need to conceive a child within the first two years of your marriage. We are merely trying to help you."

"By pressuring me to sleep with Heero?"

"Of course! You do know how babies are made, don't you?"

"Of course I do!"

"Well then, if you want to meet the terms, then you must fulfill the requirement." Sally said.

"But how can I? I mean…" she paused and finally embraced her true fear. "What if he doesn't want to? What if he doesn't want me?"

"Don't be ridiculous! Of course he wants you!" Dorothy laughed.

"If I know Heero, he's afraid that you will reject him." Catherine's words surprised her. Relena considered all that they said. Could it be possible? Would he want to be with her? They still hardly knew each other… then again, it had been four months…

"But how would I-?" She paused, her nerves choking her up. "I don't know the first thing about all of that. I can't very well just ask him, can I?"

"Why not?" Dorothy asked. "He's your husband. Asking him to make love to you is perfectly natural." Feeling embarrassed and utterly defeated, Relena sighed.

"But I don't know how."

"Leave that to us." Dorothy stood. "Ladies, we have only one afternoon to prepare our princess for her romantic rendezvous."

"Right!" They all chorused. Relena couldn't help but feel a bit silly as the ladies began to fuss over her and offer advice for the evening to come…

Chapter 10: Contemplations and Consumation

Summary:

Heero accepts his wife's invitation to dinner

Chapter Text

Ch. 10

Heero Yuy put on his best outfit. Changed it. Changed again. He fussed with his shirt collar and tried to do… something with his hair. Relena had invited him to eat dinner in her room alone. Just the two of them. For some reason, he wanted to look… presentable. Duo and Trowa had advised him that looking his best would be advisable. Quatre suggested that manners would be more important.

"If you want her to throw herself at ya, buddy, then you gotta look like something out of her dreams." Duo said.

"How should I know what she dreams of?"

"It's a phrase." Duo brought his hand to his forehead. "Jeeze. I forgot who I was talking to."

"Women are like flowers, Heero. You need to handle them carefully. Be delicate and patient and they will open up to you." Quatre advised.

"When you go to her tonight, dress to seduce. If you want her to want you, act like it." Trowa said.

"How do I do that?" Heero asked.

"Relax and be yourself." Quatre advised.

"Nah! Unbutton the top of your tunic, muss your hair and dress in your tightest pants." Duo said. "What? How do you think I got Hilde?" He grinned.

"Make eye contact. Try to tell her you want her with your eyes." Trowa added. "But remember to be confident, not insistent. You don't want to pressure her, but you do want her to pick up on your desire."

The advice continued for a while longer before he left the room. He would be himself as Quatre said, make eye contact like Trowa said, and dress in a way deemed attractive by most women. On many subjects, Duo was not to be consulted. The topic of women was one Heero knew Duo to be knowledgeable in. He and Trowa had quite the reputations with women before Duo married Hilde. It seemed to him that each of his friends had some knowledge that could prove useful. He unbuttoned the top of his dark green shirt and left the tunic off. His black slacks seemed an odd contrast but felt right for the occasion. Nothing could be done with his hair, but that was ok.

Taking one last look in the mirror, he left his room, chest out, breathing controlled to try and exude the confidence he wished he had. The few women he had been with in the past didn't seem to have complaints of either him, or his… performance. Then again, they had been a different kind of woman and they weren't in any position to give complaints. Dekim wouldn't have stood for it. A lady of the night, while still worthy of respect, would most likely not turn down good coin when offered regardless of the man paying. With that thought, he felt his confidence begin to wane.

'I can do this.' He reached her door, knocked and held his breath; heart beating in his chest. Why was going to his wife so much harder than facing down his enemies in battle?

"Come in." Came her soft reply from the other side. He swallowed down a nervous lump in his throat and turned the knob. As the door opened, he found her there, lying on the bed, hair down long and loose and flowing around her… and wearing nothing but a transparent robe… Heero felt his whole body respond except for his mouth which seemed unable to find words. She was breathtaking.

"Good evening, My King." She said, voice low and seductive, eyes half lidded.

"Relena…" his eyes went down from her eyes to the line of her slender neck to where the hem of the robe kissed her collarbone… and the pink and supple flesh canceled beneath by the sheer fabric.

"Thank you for coming." She said and slowly sat up. He could see an obvious blush on her face. She was trying to be seductive, but it was clear that she was uncomfortable; with him or of her behavior he could not say. He guessed it was more than likely the latter. She never appealed to him as the brazen type and he wondered just exactly how much of this was her idea, or coaching of the other ladies. Whatever the case, he had no intention of complaining. He found her nervousness endearing and offered her a small smile.

"Are you hungry?" She asked as she rose gracefully from the bed. "I had the cook prepare your favorites. They will be sent up as soon as we're ready" She tried to direct his attention to the table but he was mesmerized by the way the sheer robe moved over her curves. He could clearly see the swell of her breasts and the way her abdomen connected so smoothly with her hips… The feminine sway was hypnotic… He wanted to pull the robe off of her body and throw her back onto the bed to-

"The wine was picked by Duo. He said it's your favorite-" She did not get to finish her sentence. As if controlled by an otherworldly force, he crossed the distance between them and caught her arm with his hand at the wrist. He pulled her to him gently and as her warm, soft body pressed against his, he looked down, leaned in and locked eyes with her.

"Relena…" he said her name again. Her lips parted in a silent question, eyes wide, and cheeks pink with a maidenly blush. He brought his lips down and softly, gently, grazed hers with his.

Fire rushed through his veins and lit his soul. He pulled back, let out a breath he hadn't realized he'd held and came back in, this time pressing his lips to hers with more fervor. He was surprised when her arms wrapped around his neck. He moaned deep and low as her actions brought them closer. He could feel her breasts heaving against him with every breath. He needed to feel more. To see her and know her as only he should… but it was too soon. He broke the kiss and pulled back, reaching up to caress her cheek. She was still blushing a deep crimson.

"You did all this," he looked at the candles in the room and the wine on the table. "To seduce me." It should have been a question, but it came out as a revelation. Her blush deepened and she nodded, looking away.

"I… the girls suggested…" she paused and cleared her throat, a sheepish smile on her lips. "I just wanted to try and impress you. I wanted to show you," she rubbed her hands up and down his arms. "How serious I am…"

"Relena… I know what you are trying to do." He said, voice soft, eyes meeting hers. "And I appreciate it." And his did. The tension in his pants was evidence of that.. Seeing her like this was almost more than he could stand. "We don't have to. If you're not ready, then-"

"I am." She answered him, and he searched her eyes for any hint of hesitation.

"You're sure?" Her answer was very direct as her lips met his in a soft kiss. Heero wrapped both arms around her once more in response.

Without breaking the kiss, he easily picked her up and carried her to the bed. He received no objections. No hesitation or signs of rejection. As he laid her down, she looked up at him, eyes locking with his with a heat and intensity that took his breath away. He knew what he wanted. What he needed. Her. Only her. He caressed her cheek and she smiled up at him. Her blush deepened, but her gaze never wavered. He smiled and leaned forward, claiming her lips gently in another kiss as they finally realized their desires in the most intimate of ways.


Relena awoke tired and slightly sore but her heart felt lighter than it had in a long time. The sounds of her husband's breathing and warmth of his embrace reminded her that she was not alone. Her cheeks heated at the memory of the night's activities came back to her. She was brazen and shameless and successfully seduced her husband into finally consummating their union. Of course, it hadn't taken much convincing.

He'd been tender with her; gentle and slow. The pleasure she'd received from their new connection far outweighed any incidental pain. At last, she felt like his wife instead of just his queen. She sighed and snuggled deeper into him. His breathing changed slightly and he pulled her closer. She wondered, briefly, what time it was, but decided it didn't matter. Her maids were told not to come until summoned so there would be no one to disturb them.

A growl of protest rumbled from her stomach. They were far too busy indulging in each other last night to summon supper. She blushed again at the thought. Though she did not wish to leave his side, she was quite hungry. Very careful not to wake him, she slowly wiggled free of his arm and out of the bed. She shivered at the chill of the morning air against her naked flesh. Grabbing her heavy bathrobe, she slipped it on, tying it closed before taking a piece of fruit from the bowl on the table. She was quite thankful that Abby and Amy kept such snacks around for her knowing her busy schedule and random hours.

As she ate, she glanced over at the bed and watched her husband continue to sleep. He seemed so peaceful. When he slept, the hard expressions from the walls he constantly had in place were gone. His handsome features were relaxed and the faintest signs of a satisfied smile lingered at the edges of his lips. For a moment, she thought of returning to his side, kissing him awake so she could gaze into those deep blue eyes...

A knock on the door brought her out of her reverie.

"Who could that be?" She made sure her robe was tightly closed and walked to the door. She wedged it open a bit and found herself face to face with Septum and Tuberov.

"Good morning, your highness." They began.

"Good morning, my lords." She greeted them in return.

"Terribly sorry to disturb you at such an early hour, but we cannot find the king and we were wondering if he was playing bodyguard again last night." She might have blushed had it not been for the condescending tone in their voices. She smiled sweetly in response.

"If you are asking if my husband is with me, then the answer is yes." She paused and let her words sink in. "He is asleep at the moment." She watched their brows raise and eyes widen, then lower and narrow very quickly before they schooled their features back into polite neutrality. "However, if this is a matter of importance, I will wake him."

"Oh, no, princess, no need." Tuberov sputtered. His usage of the word 'princess' did not escape her notice, but it was such a small thing that she let it go.

"We were just concerned. You see, he is normally in his office by now. We feared the assassins that attacked you might have gone after him as well."

"I see." She didn't believe them, she couldn't. There was something in their tones that put her on edge. These men did not like her; that much was clear to her from the moment they met and she did not trust them. "Well, I can assure you that he is not only safe, but resting comfortably." Again, she noticed something change slightly in their demeanor. It was blatantly obvious that these men were not pleased that Heero was with her.

'But why? Given the terms of the arrangement I would think his advisers would be pleased…?'

"Perhaps you could leave the message with me?"

"I am afraid not, princess. It is far too important." There it was again. They called her 'princess' again. She did not know why that bothered her so. Perhaps it was his tone; a hint of condescension. Maybe it was a slip of the tongue? She took a silent breath.

"Well, then, gentlemen, when he wakes, I will be sure to tell Heero that you wish to speak with him."

"But princess-" there it was again. This time their tone was haughty. It was deliberate. A sign of utter disrespect. She realized she needed to stop this now.

"Queen."

"Pardon?"

"That is thrice now that you have called me 'princess', gentlemen." She declared. "I am your queen. Please, remember that in the future." The two men's faces flushed, eyes going wide before their normal, sour expressions returned.

"Of course… my queen." Tuberov said, though neither man seemed the least bit repentant.

"Now, if you will excuse me, I am suddenly very tired myself. Good day." And with that, she closed the door. She sighed and pressed her back against the door.

"Relena?" She glanced toward the bed to see Heero sitting up, covered by the sheet from the waist down.

"I'm sorry, did we wake you?" He shook his head, but the look in his eyes spoke volumes. Not only had they woke him, but he had heard everything. "Should I ring for breakfast?" Again, he shook his head. She walked to the table but still heard the rustling of sheets behind her. "We have fruit on the table if you-" strong arms wrapped around her from behind.

"Relena." He rested his head on her shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"What are you apologizing for?"

"They offended you." He stated. "They are my advisers." He tightened his hold on her. "You are my queen. And you will be respected by them. I promise."

"Heero…" She turned around and pressed herself against his very naked body. No blush tainted her skin this time. She leaned up on the tips of her toes and pressed her lips to his. He responded in kind, pulling her closer and deepening the contact. The ferocious growls of both their stomachs caused her to giggle and break the kiss.

"I think I should ring for breakfast." Relena smiled.

"Hn."

"But perhaps you should put some clothes on first. My maids will be quite distressed to see you… like this." He smirked and walked over to his discarded breeches, pulling them on before pulling his shirt over his head.

By the time the food arrived, both had cleaned up and dressed to the point of being semi-presentable. The whole time, the sickly feeling nagging in the back of her mind about the advisers simply would not go away. Even when Abby and Anna gave them their happiest smiles, she still could not shake it. Heero was studying her. She looked up and tried to offer him her most reassuring smile.

"What's wrong?" He finally asked. She shook her head.

"Nothing. I must still be tired." He raised a brow, unconvinced.

"Relena, something is bothering you." He leaned closer. "Did I do something?"

"No!" She didn't mean to raise her voice but she didn't want him thinking that she was upset with him. She sighed in defeat. It was better he knew. "It isn't you." She put her hand on top of his. "When Septum and Tuberov came this morning, they seemed… upset… that you were here." His brow raised again. "In fact, I doubt their disrespect of me was accidental."

"What do you mean?"

"Your advisers don't seem to like me. At all." Heero's eyes narrowed slightly. "And I believe their disrespect of me this morning was a direct result of that."

"I see." He leaned back and seemed to be in thought. "You should know, they were against our marriage alliance. They wanted to destroy Sanc Kingdom." That made sense, given their apparent disdain for her. That would mean...

"They were out-voted by the other three." He nodded.

"There's something else." He paused as if considering how to tell her. "It was Septum and Tuberov that put in the clause about… about the baby."

"I see." The baby. She still had to bear him a child in the first two years. It had already been four months, but at least they had finally-

"Do you want me to speak with them?"

"No," she shook her head. "Please, don't. I already corrected them. If you do so as well then it may make things worse."

"Hn." Again, he appeared to be thinking about something. She wished he would tell her. "I want you to stay in the castle today. I have my men investigating the attempt on your life. I want you close by until we discover something."

"But I'm needed out there." He took one last bite of his food and stood up.

"That man, Howard, seems to be doing okay. He can handle it for now."

"But-" he walked forward, took her in his arms and tilted her chin up.

"I need to know that you're safe." The look in his eyes was one she had only seen once when they finished making love. It was tender. Intense. It begged for her understanding and trust. "We will find out who attacked you. I will protect you. Believe in me." She smiled and wrapped her arms around him.

"I do believe in you." He smiled his usual, small smile and leaned in and down, pressing his lips to hers.

"I won't see you until dinner. Only trust those you know you can."

"Okay." He kissed her again before taking his leave. "I suppose I should ring for Abby and Anna. I may not be able to leave the castle, but there is still work to be done."

Chapter 11: Successful Negotiations

Summary:

Heero begins to take action in pursuit of the truth of the threat against his queen. Relena shows her husband the policies of her homeland in practice.

Chapter Text

Ch. 11

"You want us to do what?" Duo asked for clarification.

"I want the three of you to keep an eye on Septum and Tuberov."

"But why? I mean, I know they're not the easiest to get along with, but you don't think those only old men would betray you, do you?"

"No, or at least, not in any way that they would consider it betrayal." Heero grabbed the copy of the marriage agreement out of his desk. Heero proceeded to tell the three what had transpired that morning and what was said. Duo got a wolfish grin on his face.

"So you actually did it?! I'm so proud of you, man!" Heero didn't have time for the braided man's teasing.

"Focus, Duo." Trowa snapped at him. Heero rolled his eyes suddenly then stared down at the parchment.

"After acting as they had this morning, I began thinking. Tuberov and Septum were against the marriage. They put in the two-year clause. Then, when it seemed as though Relena and I were beginning to get closer, there was an attempt on her life."

"You think Tiberov and Septum are trying to have her killed?" Heero nodded.

"The final clue was the baby." Heero looked up at his friends. "If it were truly about an heir to join our lands, then they would not have been so upset to know that I spent the night with her." He didn't pause for modesty. "Their displeasure shows a lack of desire for me to be with her at all."

"I know they were displeased with the arrangement, but would they really take it this far? Why would they?" Quatre asked.

"It's possible that war is what they wanted all along. It could also be that they don't like Heero giving so much authority to Relena. Either way, it would be a motive for hiring assassins."

"I want them investigated as discretely as possible. See if we can find proof of their actions. In addition, the arrow Wufei found is a good lead. If we can find who made it then we might be able to find who bought it and go from there."

"Sure thing, buddy." Duo said.

"Trowa, I want Relena's things moved into my room before tonight and I would like it if Catherine supervised."

"I will tell her your request."

"Have we figured out a guard rotation?"

"We have. And that old servant from Sanc will be arriving as soon as possible to assist." Quatre said and Heero nodded.

"You all know what needs done. I'm counting on you."

"Of course."

"No problem, pally."

"Understood." With the assignments given, they all left the study.

Heero once more began to stare at the parchment. Its contents held the terms that solidified the bond between their two kingdoms. For some reason, he couldn't help but hope that something stronger bonded the two of them. This plot against her life scared him, almost as much as this new phase of their relationship. He had never had a weakness. Never left himself vulnerable to anything or anyone, but one glance from her left him weak. One word from her lips and he was captivated. He'd lived through countless battles and witnessed things that made grown men soil themselves. The thought of losing her; of someone taking her out of his life was by far the scariest thing he had ever known. He hated it and yet, he wouldn't trade it for anything.

"Relena…" he closed his eyes and allowed himself to feel the warmth the mere thought of her brought."I will keep you safe. No matter what."

"An excellent sentiment, my boy." Said a familiar voice from behind him. "I do so like to see how much that young woman has changed you."

"What can you tell me, J?"

"Straight to the point as always, but then, you never were a chatty one." The old man clicked his metal claw. "The arrow came from a master blacksmith three towns to the North. Apparently, his wares are considered some of the best weapons in the land. Very pricy. Unfortunately we could not get any information on those who buy his goods." Heero frowned.

"A dead end."

"Not exactly." The old man leaned on his cane. "There is a well known assassin who uses these very bolts in his crossbow. He goes by the name Falcon. If you can find him, then you most likely can find out who attacked your queen."

"Consider it done." Heero began to walk to the door.

"Still the same single-minded boy I trained all those years ago."

"I will protect her, J. No matter what."

"She really has become quite important to you." Heero paused. She had. It seemed so absurd that in mere months she could become the most important person in his life. But if J could see it, then who else knew? And how would they use that information to hurt him?

"Is that all?" He asked. J chuckled.

"Yes, my boy. That is all." J headed toward the door. "However, I feel I should tell you one last thing."

"What?"

"I'm proud of you Heero. As proud as if you were my own son. I know you will succeed in whatever path you take. Remember that." And with that, the old man hobbled out of the room leaving Heero to plan his next move.

He sat down at his desk to look over the facts and figures Relena sent his way but he couldn't focus. His mind kept returning her and to their new relationship. He felt the corners of his lips twitch at the memory of how she looked in her sheer robe… The way her lips felt against his… He put down the parchment and returned the quill to the ink. Rising to his feet, he left the office and made his way down the hall to where he hoped she would be. Just as he thought, he found her in the library, her guard standing by the door. She used to sit in the settee by the window, but given the assassination attempt, she was tucked on a pile of pillows in a nook under the spiral stairs that lead to the second floor of the library.

The guard saluted as he entered and Heero waved his dismissal. The guard nodded, saluted again and then left. Heero noticed she seemed oblivious to the room around her. She was so focused on her book that she didn't hear him walk up. He cleared his throat and her eyes shot up to meet his. Her lips spread into a warm smile that was far more tempting than it should be.

"Heero." She put the book down. "I thought you were busy in your office."

"I was." He began and took a step closer. "But I kept getting distracted."

"Oh?" She raised a brow. "Anything I can help with?" There were several things she could help him with; things he wanted with do with her and to her, but the library was not the right place.

"We have a lead regarding the assassin and we think we may know who hired them."

"I see." Her eyes darkened, and her brow pinched. She was worried. She was also trying to hide it from him. He knelt down next to her, locking eyes with her. He needed her to know...

"We will find out who did this." He promised. "I will protect you." Her eyes widened and then she smiled; a true smile that sparkled in her eyes.

"I know you will." He couldn't help it. He leaned over and in, claiming her lips with his. She kissed back, her hands fisting in his tunic. He put his arms on either side of her, pinning her without touching her. She sighed into his lips and he took it as a sign of permission. Using his tongue, he coaxed her mouth open. Their tongues began to duel as her arms snaked around his neck-

"Your majesties." They broke their kiss and he suppressed the urge to curse.

"What?" He nearly growled. Septum and Tuberov smiled with grins that made Heero want to hit them. They both bowed.

"We came to report an uprising has broken out at the border."

"An uprising?" Relena asked, sitting up alert and alarmed.

"Indeed." Tuberov said. "The people are in contention over whose land belongs to whom and how to divide up the food.

"I'll handle it." Heero stood and began to head to the door. Relena walked up behind him.

"I'm going too." Relena insisted. Heero could have sworn he saw looks of irritation on the other two men's faces.

"No."

"Heero-"

"It's too dangerous."

"I came from a kingdom where making peace and keeping it was our way of life. I may be able to stop them."

"And what if you can't?" He squared off with her, her eyes never left his. "You'd be putting yourself out in the open and giving the assassin another chance for nothing."

"Heero," she reached out and took his hand. "I am your queen, which means this kingdom is now my home. Please, let me at least try to help." After a small eternity, that look in her eyes won. He sighed.

"Stay close and stay alert. And if at any time you are told to take cover then you must do so."

"I understand." The look of gratitude in her eyes was accompanied by something else. Joy?

"My king, we must heartily object-"

"That will be all." Heero dismissed them as he and his wife walked through the door and out toward the stables. The thought occurred to him that if Septum and Tuberov wanted her dead then this sort of distraction would give them a time and place to harm her.

'At least if she's with me I can protect her.' He thought. It took hardly any time at all for a group of guards to be gathered. Duo and Trowa would ride along as well to offer insight and another buffer between his wife and the potential danger. As they mounted the horses, he cast her one last look that she returned before they galloped off toward the trouble; guards close by.

The ride to the uprising lasted just over an hour. Thankfully, when they got there, no blood had been spilled. The two sides were squared off and hunkered down between makeshift walls. From what he could tell, they were yelling at each other with the occasional arrow flying. Heero reined his horse to a stop and motioned for Relena to stay back, but she ignored him. She instead rode forward, head held high.

"Good people, my name is Relena. I am your new queen and the former princess of the pacifist kingdom of Sanc." She paused just a moment, most likely to make sure they grand her. "I wish to call a temporary truce so that I may hear your grievances in hopes of coming to a peaceful and acceptable solution." There was a long pause before the people spoke up.

"Why should a noble care about us?"

"Yeah! Why should we trust you?" In answer to their question, she dismounted her horse. Heero felt his heart leap into his chest as she did so.

"Because out here there is no throne and no crown. Out here, I am just as human as you are and I wish to speak with you as just that. Please. Let me help you." Time seemed to stand still before finally the two sides agreed to do as she asked. Somehow, his queen-his wife- was able to calm the feud and get the two sides to discuss what had been a large misunderstanding. Terms of a truce were drawn up and signed by the de facto leaders of both sides with her signature binding the agreement. Heero finally breathed a sigh of relief as all who were present bowed to her in a sign of respect.

"In all my years, no one of the nobility has ever put themselves at risk for us in such a way. We will keep our word, my queen," said one of the leaders.

"He is right. You have shown us today proof of the promised change we had heard about. We too shall stand by our word."

"I shall hold you to it, good sirs. For our part, we shall send someone here on the regular to ensure that you and yours have the resources you need."

"Our thanks, your majesty." She nodded to them. They even assisted her in getting back on her horse. With a smile, she turned to him.

"Shall we go, my king?" In spite of it all, he felt a peace in his own heart from her smile and a pride that couldn't be matched.

"Yes." He motioned for the guards to fall into formation as their group rode back to the castle. He knew Relena was a remarkable woman but now that he had seen her at work, he knew now more than ever that his decision to make her his queen had been the right one for everyone.

They returned to the castle rather late in the evening. Heero still felt full of pride from how well his queen handled the situation with the feud. Somehow, his hand found hers, or perhaps hers found his? But even the simple contact was enough to set him aflame. How could one woman change him so much? Affect him so thoroughly. In spite of himself, the corners of his lips curved up into a small smile. He never really smiled before he met her. Now, the expression found a home on his face more and more, but only for her. Only with her. He could tell she was tired. She had been working non-stop, pulling long hours to try and fulfill her promise to improve the kingdom. She seemed to almost be drawing strength from him. He squeezed her hand gently.

Tuberov and Septum met them on the way in. Both men seemed a bit put off but why, he couldn't say. They bowed and Heero nodded to them.

"We see you have returned." Tuberov began.

"Were you successful in stopping the rabble from revolting?"

"It wasn't a revolt. It was a land feud between territories."

"Oh? It seems we were misinformed." Septum said.

"At least you were able to solve the problem, my king." Tuberov added.

"It was your queen who settled it." Their eyes widened, and then narrowed briefly, before they both offered small, tight smiles.

"Excellent job, your majesty." They bowed to her although there was a darkness to their eyes he did not miss. There was little doubt now. These men hated Relena. The why of it all did not matter. He needed to keep her away from them, no matter what.

"My wife and I are heading to our room. I will meet with you tomorrow to discuss exactly what occurred on the border. Have dinner sent up within the hour, after which, we do not wish to be disturbed."

"Of… course."

"Very good, my king." He put his arm around the small of her back and they walked together past the dumbfounded men and through the hall. When the door closed behind them, Heero watched her shoulders relax. He walked up behind her, pulled her to him and buried his face in her neck.

"Is there… something you want to tell me?" She asked.

"Hn." She turned to face him, arms winding around his waist. "It's not good news."

"What is it?"

"You are right about Tuberov and Septum. We can't trust them."

"You mean, you think they'll betray you?" He shook his head.

"They would not see killing you as a betrayal. No matter what the cost may be." She looked down, sighing.

"I see."

"I don't want you to be alone with them at any time. Don't trust them. No matter what they say." She looked up at him and nodded.

"Alright." He leaned down and kissed her but a knock came at the door.

"That's probably supper." He answered the door. Anna and Abby brought the tray of food and the two of them ate their meal in relative silence. She was disturbed. He didn't blame her. Knowing two of his advisers could possibly want her dead would be a lot to take in. As he finished his meal, he stood and walked over to her.

"Relena." He took her hand in his. "I know you have a lot on your mind. I don't know what to do… to make it easier." She smiled, stood up and looked deep in his eyes.

"Just you being here is enough." She rose up on the tips of her toes and kissed him. He kissed back, pulling her closer to pick her up and carry her to their bed where nothing else needed to be said. Afterwards, as he lay holding her and the haze of sleep began to settle in, he kissed her shoulder and pulled her closer.

"Whatever happens, I will protect you." He whispered.

"I know." She craned her neck and he kissed her over her shoulder before they settled in for the night. He fell asleep to the steady rhythm of her breathing.

Chapter 12: Perils of Peacekeeping

Summary:

Just as things seem to be going well for Relena and her husband, something happens that threatens to end the fragile peace and, perhaps, even her life.

Chapter Text

Ch. 12

Relena woke to his lips on hers as he kissed her goodbye. It had been two weeks since their last conversation regarding Tuberov and Septum. He and the others never stopped trying to find the truth behind the assassination attempt. No other attempt was made but that hardly was reason to relax. In spite of everything, she trusted them to keep her safe. What's more, she wouldn't let the possibility of an attack keep her from her work.

Pagen had also made his arrival and, upon seeing him, Relena found herself barely able to contain her tears. Though she was growing to love her new home, the sight of her family's oldest friend nearly reduced her to a tearful mess. He wasted no time taking on the mantle as the head of her meals, making sure to prepare her food with a careful hand and an astute eye to prevent the food from being tampered with. It was also an additional blessing that Heero and Pagen seemed to like one another.

She knew Heero had a long day ahead of him patrolling the borders. He intended to check on as many of the outposts as he could to assess the strength of the kingdom's security. She, too, had a long day. Howard's newest inventions needed looked at and approved. Crop storage needed secured and reinforced.

"He did say he would try to stop by the workshop though." She smiled, hoping he would.

She sat up and got out of the bed. Anna and Abby showed up as usual to help her ready for the day. She dressed, ate, and made her way to the stables, guards in tow, to get into the carriage. Heero did not allow her to ride on horseback; too much exposure made her too easy a target. In fact, he did not want her to go out at all but this was something she needed to be physically present for. As a result, she, Sally and Middie rode together to the workshop where the old engineer waited.

Howard was an odd old man; eccentric and enthusiastic, but one of the smartest men she knew. Perhaps even the smartest in all of the kingdoms. He often wore clothes of bright colors with strange designs and patterns and preferred sandals over shoes. It was he that helped revolutionize Sank Kingdom's agricultural department and-with his help- great strides had already been made in fixing the agricultural system of her new home. As she approached, he raised his visor and smiled broadly.

"Hey, my lady! You're just in time!" Howard greeted. She returned his smile.

"Good morning, Howard. I'm just in time for what?"

"For the demonstration! This new plow will revolutionize the way we till the soil! It will make it easier on the horses and speed up the process."

"Wonderful! Show me!"


Heero watched as the last of the guards at the final post finished their routine. Nearly every base he visited was far better equipped than ever before thanks in large part to Relena's efforts to care for and supply his troops. They were all well-trained and disciplined and there seemed to be an adequate amount of staff in every facility. With his business concluded, his mind went to Relena.

He hadn't liked the idea of her traveling to the research workshop, but he did understand that some elements would need physical inspection as well as demonstrations. Still, part of him could not shake the uneasy feeling that something was going to go horribly wrong. He mounted his horse and checked the reins before turning to Trowa.

"How far away is the research workshop from here?"

"About four miles."

"I wish to travel there next. If the queen is still there then we can escort her home."

"Very well." Trowa motioned for the few troops that accompanied them to follow as they left through the gates. He only hoped that the feeling he had was wrong.


The demonstration went off well enough. She was indeed impressed with the performance of the new machine. Howard assured her that ten others were slated to be built within the next month just in time for plowing. The storehouses' repairs were nearly finished already. She made sure the castle's food supply was rationed out to help feed the workers. Well-fed workers were better workers and that was her goal. All in all, things were progressing at a faster rate than she had initially anticipated.

"Relena, it's getting late. If we do not leave soon then you will have no chance at supper with the king." Relena nodded and finished up her business with Howard before turning to her ladies and taking their leave. They climbed into the carriage, Wufei remaining on horseback, outside for their safety.

"I can't wait to tell Heero about all of the progress."

"I'm pretty sure you just want to see him again." Middie teased.

"What?" Relena felt her cheeks heat.

"Of course she is. As she should be. I'm so happy that you and the king have finally admitted how you feel."

"Huh?" Relena raised a brow.

"Surely you've told him." Sally smiled.

"Told him… what?"

"That you love him." Sally smiled. "What else?"

"Well… I…" did she love him? Being around him made her happy. Happier than being anywhere else. When she was with him she felt safe… whole. The thought of him warmed her. She smiled. "I do love him."

"But you haven't told him."

"I… I didn't know… until now." She blushed.

"Then I'm guessing he hasn't told you either."

"But… does that mean... Heero loves me?"

"It's obvious to everyone except the two of you." Sally chuckled.

"But how do you know?"

"Relena, I was able to recognize when Wufei loved me. Heero isn't nearly as hard to read." Heero loved her. The idea made her stomach flutter. But then, what if they were wrong? What if he didn't?

"Well, whether he does or not, I'll stay by his side." She smiled, looking out the window. "I took a vow. For better or worse and I intend to honor it."

"That's very mature of you." Sally stated. "Now if we could only get Middie over there to mature enough to admit to her special someone how she feels."

"What? Did you say my name?" Middie asked. Relena grinned as both women laughed at Middie.

Their moment of mirth was short lived. The carriage began to rock and pitch at a terrible rate. They gained speed, jarring all of them.

"We're under we attack!" Wufei yelled and Relena felt her breath catch in her lungs. She knew the assassin might try again. Unfortunately he now threatened the lives of her friends as well. She could not see what was going on, but one of the assailants grabbed the door of the moving carriage and tried to get it open. Sally, thinking quickly, picked up the basket that once contained their lunch and broke it apart, using the sturdy wicker handle to fend off the brute.

Middie, for her part, too to the other side. Of the three of them, Sally was the one best suited for defense, had had seen fit to teach Middie and Relena a bit of what she knew. The other sturdy pieces that made up the basket's frame were given to herself and to Middie as the fight commenced. Relena smashed one man's hand in the door, while pushing him off balance and off of the carriage. They seemed, for the moment, to be holding their own until suddenly, the carriage pitched to the side. Relena and her two ladies were thrown unceremoniously into one another as the vehicle crashed, landing on its side. She felt her head hit something hard and her vision blurred. Dazed and disoriented, she barely made out the motionless figure of Middie lying next to her. Sally, worse for the ware but conscious, stood and helped pull Relena to her feet. Both women grabbed Middie and made their way out of the fallen carriage.

Three men were upon them nearly instantly, all with their faces half covered like common highway men. They sneered and smirked at Relena who knelt over Middie while Sally stood with basket piece in hand ready to fight.

"Who are you?" Relena demanded. The man that seemed to be the leader smirked wider.

"Your death, your majesty."

His two accomplices lunged forward to attack but Wufei appeared and parried both attacks. He handed Sally a spare blade and the fight began. Relena tried in vain to wake Middie, but her friend still breathed which was a good sign. At some point, however, the fighting strayed away from her and she could only hear the sounds of exertion and clanging of the blades. It was then that someone grabbed her fiercely and hauled her to her feet. Her mind swam, still hazy from the impact as her captor jeered her violently forward. Regaining her senses, Relena threw all of her weight to one side, turning and throwing off his balance. She kicked with all of her might, landing a solid blow to his gut. He groaned but straightened quickly.

Lunging forward, he grabbed hold of her again as she tried to run, wrapping his arms firmly around her waist. With all that she had in her, she threw her head back and heard a sickening crunch as her head broke his nose. He cried out and dropped her but her freedom was short lived. Her skirt got hooked on a part of the broken carriage and wound its way around her leg causing her to fall. She felt him grab her shoulder painfully before his hand found its way around her throat. She could smell his rancid breath and the old leather of his glove. His dark eyes shone with a murderous glint as his grip tightened.

"My employers have a final message." He growled as his grip continued to tighten. "Long live the queen." Relena felt her vision blurring. Her lungs burned from the lack of air. She thought of Heero; of her hopes and dreams for the two of them that would never come true. Hot tears burned her cheeks as she felt her consciousness fading.

'Heero… I'm sorry…' suddenly, the grip was gone. Air flooded her lungs as her captor released his hold. Her vision had yet to return. She could hear something. It was far away? No. She felt arms wrap around her, a hand in her hair, warm skin against her cheek. Her mind began to clear and she could hear him. Heero.

"Relena. Please." The pain and desperation in his voice reached through the fog of her mind. She coughed. Gasped. Coughed again. He looked her in the eyes, blue and full of relief. His hands cradled her face.

"He-Heero…" her voice was a hoarse whisper.

"He smiled. She'd never seen him fully smile. He pressed his lips to her forehead and then her lips. She tried to kiss him back. He cradled her in his arms, holding her to him as though she may vanish.

"Relena!" Sally's worried voice came from beside them but she was still too weak to look. She let herself be consumed by the feeling of being in his arms. Safe. She snuggled into his embrace before her world went black.

Chapter 13: Changes

Summary:

Following the attempt on her life, Heero takes action and makes crucial changes

Chapter Text

Ch. 13

The hours passed by so slowly that Heero swore time had stopped. He paced. Sat down. Paced again. He couldn't sleep. Not until she woke. Not until she said his name once more. He hated being like this. Weak. And helpless. Weak to have someone mean so much to him. Helpless to do anything for her.

When he found her, held at the throat by the assassin, he saw red. His world stopped and so did his control. He sprinted forward and stabbed the assailant. The man cried out, dropped her and Heero saw to it that her would-be killer would never have the chance to hurt her again. She had hit her head. There was a deep gash on her temple where blood had stained her golden hair to dark crimson. Her skin was pale. Her breathing shallow. When she finally said his name, he felt his heart beat again. He carried her to his horse. Held her all the way to the castle. He needed to know that she would be alright. Dark bruises marred her neck but the gash was what worried him. The doctor said she had a concussion; the next twenty-four hours would be crucial. Between the concussion and being choked, the doctor feared permanent damage.

He waited. Watched. Paced. Held her hand. Pled with whatever God would listen. Finally, he heard it. A sigh of awareness. She was waking up. He sat next to her, smoothed her bangs from her face.

"Relena?" Her eyes fluttered open. Tired, aqua pools met his and he couldn't help but smile.

"He-Heer-o-" her voice was soft, and hoarse. He shushed her.

"Relena." He leaned in and down and kissed her with all that he was.

"Wh-what happ-"

"Don't try to talk." Her gaze went to the canopy of their bed as though deep in thought.

"Middie-"

"She's alright. Minor concussion. Trowa is with her." Typical Relena. Even in her condition her first thought was for her friends. He watched as she took in his words. "Sally and Wufei are alright as well." She smiled and sighed. He pressed his forehead to hers, the adrenaline fading, his tension and worry subsiding.

"I'm sorry." He said.

"For what?" She whispered.

"I promised I'd protect you. But you almost-" she shushed him this time and smiled, cupping his face in her hands.

"You did." Her eyes moistened. "You… saved me." Her smile widened. "My hero." The play on his name made him nearly chuckle. Instead, he kissed her, gently. When the kiss broke, he reluctantly pulled back.

"I will go tell the others that you're awake. They'll want to see you." He spent another moment holding her hand before leaving.

Her friends were relieved to hear the news and all but ran to see her. As relieved as he was that his wife was alright, he did not fully relax until the doctor informed him that she would make a full recovery. The following days, he spent by her side, ensuring that she had everything she needed. Their room became his study where he did all of the work. When she was given the 'all clear' to be up and about, she did exactly that. Never one to be discouraged, his dauntless wife went right back to her duties like a true queen. She used every free moment of the day to catch up on what her medical leave forced her to neglect. Heero did not like the idea of her being too far away, however, and so she remained under close watch on the castle grounds. If she needed to inspect anything, then Heero made sure to go with her.

But there was still the business of the assassin. His most trusted advisers were quite irritated when they found out he killed Relena's assailant.

"We needed him alive, Heero!" Trowa stated. Heero didn't even flinch.

"He was killing my wife. I acted as needed to save her."

"But dead men don't talk, buddy! Now we'll never know if those two bastards sent him!" Duo added.

"I think you're being a bit hard on Heero. Relena was dying. We all know what the doctor said. Heero's actions, helpful for our cause or not, saved her life." Quatre defended him. The assassin's death  was  a huge setback. If he had the proof, Tuberov and Septum would already be-

"So what are we going to do now?" Duo asked.

"The same as we were." Heero answered. "Regardless of his death, I am certain they are behind this. Her survival will make them either give up or get desperate. They  will  make a mistake. Keep watching them and be ready to act. I have something in mind that might push them over the edge."

"What are you planning, Heero?" Quatre looked at him.

"I'm not sure yet." He said, but he was determined to figure something out.


Heero woke earlier than usual. In spite of lying beside her with her safe in his arms, it was a restless night. He hated the idea of there being anything that Tuberov and Septum could use against her and even More so the fact that there was no proof against them. The idea of having a way for her to be taken from him in any way made his blood boil and his heart constrict. There had to be a way to solve both problems.

If the two years passed and they hadn't been able to produce an heir, she would legally be allowed to leave. The contract would be null and void. She could return to Sanc, to her life with her brother… The idea caused him more pain than he ever felt. He needed to know… would she stay?

'Is there a chance… that she might want to?'

He glanced down at her sleeping form. She looked so peaceful… content… he leaned down and kissed her. She sighed at the contact and her eyes fluttered open.

"Heero…" she smiled. "What time is it?" He caressed her cheek.

"It's still early. Go back to sleep." She shook her head.

"Something is bothering you. I can tell." She looked into his eyes. "Please, tell me?" After a moment, he sighed.

"If the two years go by… and there is no child… what will you do?" Her eyes widened and she sat up.

"Heero… what do you mean?"

"The terms allow you to go home." she looked down, frowning.

"You think I would leave you?"

"Relena-"

"You would let me go so easily?" She sounded so… hurt.

"If that is what you want." She became very quiet for a small eternity.

"I see…" she didn't look at him. "After all this time… after we've already…?" She looked up at him, the beginnings of tears in her eyes. "You would let me walk away?" He felt his heart constricting in his chest. He could barely breathe.

"I forced you into this…" he looked into her eyes. "I… just want you to be happy."

"Heero…" her eyes lightened, tears still there, but a smile came to her lips. "I am happy. Here, with you." The first tear fell.

"But… you're crying?"

"Yes." She laughed. "At first, it was because I thought you wanted me to leave… but now, it's because I'm happy." She took his hand in hers. "Heero… this is my home. With you. Contract or no… I'm yours." She paused and looked into his eyes. "I… I love you." Those words. Those three words he never dreamed he'd ever hear. He wanted to say something. Knew he should, but… He leaned down and in and covered her lips with his. She loved him. That fact alone made him desire more than a simple kiss, but he couldn't. Not now. There was something he needed to do; for her and for their marriage. He pulled back and caressed her cheek, wiping away the tears.

"I have something to do in the study this morning that can't wait. Join me for supper there tonight."

"Alright." He kissed her again and began to dress. She helped him with his buttons, sneaking a few more kisses in, testing his resolve. When he made it to the door, he looked back at her and saw the love she spoke of in her eyes. He smiled and left for his study, determined to draft the new document immediately.

Pulling out the parchment, he sat down with the previous marriage contract and put his plan into action. If he was right, then it could serve another purpose as well. He copied by hand every important detail regarding trade agreements, resources and technology. He kept the elements in there about being free of war or battles for one year and made sure to add that that time period was able to be extended per the need to continue rebuilding their cities and strengthening their forces. And when it came to the last detail, he left it out completely. It took three long hours but it would be worth it.

Duo, Trowa and Quatre entered at their usual times to check in with him. He stood and looked at each in turn.

"Hey buddy! Looks like you've been hard at work already." Heero nodded.

"I need you all to look over this new document. Read it and sign it." The three nodded. Each took turns but none signed immediately.

"Heero, are you sure about this?" Trowa asked.

"I think it's great that you're taking that whole issue out. You two have enough to deal with without worrying about that." Duo added.

"I think it's wonderful." Quatre said and smiled. "I'm happy to sign it." He dipped the quill and set his name to the paper.

"Me too, though I think Mr. Stick up his ass and Mr. Frog-in-his-throat aren't gonna like it much." Duo said as he signed.

"It doesn't matter. Heero is king." Trowa signed as well.

"I am showing this to Relena. I want to draft a letter to send to her brother inviting him to come and sign it."

"Sign what?" Tuberov called from the door as he and Septum made their way in.

"I have drafted a new treaty with Sank Kingdom regarding my marriage."

"Oh?" Septum stepped forward. "Are you adding demands? I certainly think it would be wise to impose stricter conditions."

"Indeed." Tuberov added. "Taking a firmer stance with that land would be to our ultimate benefit."

"I'm removing terms." Heero stated and held out the new document. "One in particular." Tuberov took the paper from him and he and Septum read through. The father they went, the more visibly upset they became.

"You removed the two-year clause?" Heero nodded.

"It is unnecessary."

"But it was crucial to ensuring our control through genetics!"

"Somehow, gentlemen, I doubt that that was the true purpose of that particular clause."

"Are you doubting our motives?" Septum decried.

"I have witnessed your disrespect of and blatant contempt for my queen. It has given me reason."

"That woman has made you weak, my king!" Tuberov declared. "You were a fierce warrior! A force to be reckoned with! Now you hide behind the skirts of your pacifist princess while she slowly dismantle everything we've worked so hard to achieve!"

"Enough!" Heero's eyes narrowed. He glared as cold and hard as steel. Tuberov and Septum were visibly shaken. "You will sign the document."

"We will not." They protested.

"Then you are hereby relieved of your duties." The two mens' eyes widened.

"You can't do that!"

"I can and I have." Heero watched them closely. They both seemed to be plotting something. After a moment, they both composed themselves and bowed.

"As you wish." With that, they turned and left the room.

"Well, that went well." Duo leaned against the wall.

"Heero, do you think this will spur them into action?"

"For their sake, it had better not.  Heero growled.

"I'll make sure that her security stays vigilant." Trowa offered. "If they are going to do something, then we need to be prepared." Heero nodded. He would keep Relena by his side at all times if he could, but it wasn't practical.

"I will finish the draft of my invitation to her brother before the end of the day. I want our fastest courier to deliver it to King Millard personally."

"I will see if our wives will keep the queen company. They are less likely to attack that way." Quatre proposed. Heero nodded and sat back down at the desk to begin drafting the letter.


Relena Made it to his study around sundown Initially she wasn't sure if she would make it. One of the wagons broke and she had to take the place of the tally taker. Thankfully, she did, indeed, slip away on time. She cleaned up and changed quickly before heading his way. Heero sat at his desk, utterly focused on his work. She smiled, cleared her throat softly and was rewarded by his deep blue eyes meeting hers. She smiled and he stood, crossed the room and took her hand in his.

"Sorry if I'm a little late." She squeezed his hand.

"It's fine. I'll ring for lunch. There's something I want to show you."

"Ok?" She raised a brow and followed him to his desk. He rang for the food and then pulled a piece of neatly rolled up parchment from the desk and offered it to her.

"Here." She took it, carefully unrolling it.

"It's our treaty." Heero nodded.

"Keep reading." She did. Everything seemed to be the same for the most part.

"You changed it? You're going to stay at peace beyond the initial one year until your kingdom is strong enough?" He nodded.

"Read on." She did as he instructed and as she realized what was missing, her heart warmed and she looked up at him.

"You… removed it." He nodded. "And it's official?"

"On our end, yes. My advisers signed it. All I need is your signature and your brother's."

"My brother's?"

"I'm inviting him here to make it official." He walked closer to her.

"Heero…" she smiled, tears of joy brimming her eyes. "I don't know what to say." He leaned down and in.

"You said you love me. That's enough." She closed the final distance and kissed him, long and deep, wrapping her arms around his neck.

"Ahem." Pagen's voice came from the door. "Pardon the interruption, but I have your lunch as requested."

"Thank you, Pagen." Relena blushed and subtly wiped her lips. As lunch was served, they sat and ate conversing comfortably, all pressure completely removed. Heero had shown her a sign of good faith, but more than that, a sign of his love, allowing for the final wall between them to crumble at last.

They finished supper and he stood and reached for her, she took his hand and allowed him to pull her up and into his arms. He lifted her chin and kissed her softly.

"Shall we… go to bed?" He asked, voice low and husky. She smiled and let out a soft laugh.

"Lead the way." Before either could head to the door, however, Trowa entered with Duo, both dragging Tuberov and Septum behind them in chains.

"Look who we caught conspiring to kill the queen." Relena felt her heart catch in her throat.

"It was wise of you to put them under surveillance."

"What do you have to say about these charges?" Heero questioned them

"We were only doing what was best for the ultimate goal!" Septum growled.

"This woman has prevented you from pursuing your destiny! From uniting all kingdoms into one giant empire!" Tuberov added. "That woman… that… that harlot is holding you back!" Heero grabbed Tuberov by the lapels of his jacket.

"She is my wife and my queen. You will show her respect."

"I would rather die." Tuberov answered.

"As would I." Septum echoed. Heero released Tuberov. Relena saw how tense he was. This clearly wasn't easy.

"Then I will grant your request." Heero growled. Relena knew that wasn't what he wanted.  In spite of their betrayal, those men meant a lot to him. She stepped forward and placed a hand on his shoulder, grabbing his hand with the other.

"Heero." She began. "Do they really deserve that?"

"They tried to kill you! You would have me spare them?"

"Yes." His eyes widened. "Killing them will not change what they did… but it will hurt you." He looked away from her, to them, to her. "Please…?"

"Don't you dare plead for our lives!"

"We would rather die than receive mercy from her!" Heero got really quiet. His body remained still and tense. She squeezed his hand. Finally, he sighed aggressively.

"Upon my wife's request, and due to your years of loyalty, I shall spare your pathetic lives. You will spend your nights in the dungeon and your days in the fields." Heero turned away from them. "Get them out of here." Duo and Trowa wasted no time and dragged Tuberov and Septum away. Alone and clearly drained from the encounter, his shoulders slumped and sighed, his body shivering. She walked up, wrapped her arms around him and rested her head between his shoulders. After a moment, he relaxed, turned around and rested his forehead against hers.

"I'm sorry." She whispered.

"Why?"

"I know how much you looked up to them… how much this hurt you."

"It doesn't matter. You're safe."

"Heero…" he silenced her with a kiss, one she returned with equal fervor. They walked hand in hand to their room to celebrate the end of a long trial and the start of a new beginning.

Chapter 14: Peaceful Resolution

Summary:

The epilogue and final chapter of this unexpected journey

Chapter Text

Epilogue

Relena looked out from the balcony of the cool autumn evening. Three years ago she married Heero and came to this kingdom with the promise of improving the land and increasing their quality of life. It started out as a way to avoid conflict, to save the lives that would have been lost had Sank decided to fight back against his army.

One could argue she only continued to humor the agreement out of a sense of duty. They wouldn't be completely wrong. At first, it was her desire to save her kingdom from disaster that she married Heero and traveled with him to his kingdom. At the time, all that mattered was doing all that she could to fulfill her side of the bargain. What people did not know, however, was that from the first moment their eyes met; from their first kiss on their wedding day her heart became inexplicably entangled to his. The more time that passed, the more she grew to love him. The day she realized he loved her too was the best day of her life.

"Well, second best." She said aloud and rubbed her tummy. She smiled as the little life within responded with a kick. She had a midwife nearby at all times and her own doctor on call. Heero was taking no chances on the health of both her and their child. Her heart still fluttered at the memory of hearing those words.

The first signs had been painfully obvious. Every morning, she woke up nauseous. He feared she had caught some sort of illness though she insisted she felt fine. Her menses, however, was well past due and all women knew what that most likely meant. Still, to put his mind at ease, she agreed to see the doctor. He ran the necessary tests and had her come back some time later. The news she received could not have made her happier.

"Congratulations, your majesty. You're pregnant."

Her mind spun, heart leaping in her chest as a smile took up permanent residence on her face. It seemed so surreal but in the best way possible. Of course, she'd wanted to tell him immediately! But she wanted to do it right. She waited until the evening when they always had dinner together.

The candles were lit, the table set for two. She ordered that dinner be delivered to the room around seven which was just before he usually came to the bedroom. As the door opened, he walked in, obviously tired. His focus immediately landed on her and the candle light tables.

"Are you hungry?" She asked. He nodded and crossed to her.

"First…" he kissed her, full and long. He wrapped his arms around her and began to kiss her neck. She giggled and pushed against his chest.

"Not so fast." She giggled again. "We need to eat. I'm probably hungrier than you are."

"Hn." He smirked and pulled away. "You have been eating more."

"Is that your way of telling me I'm gaining weight?" He raised a brow.

"No."

"You're a terrible liar." She smiled at him.

"Did you see the doctor?" He asked. She nodded.

"Yes. He says I'm perfectly healthy… and he's sent for a midwife." She smiled and watched him as the meaning of her words slowly came to him. His eyes widened. He stood, face expressionless. "Heero?" It had never occurred to her that he might not want a baby… but he walked over to her. He put his hand on her stomach.

"You're serious?" She nodded, suddenly feeling unsure of the situation. She never expected him to slowly kneel down and press his forehead to her tummy.

"Heero?"

"I'm… going to be… a father…?" She couldn't say anything. He looked up at her and for the first time in the time she had known him she saw the subtle shimmering of moisture in his eyes. She nodded. He kissed her tummy and leaned up to kiss her lips. She giggled at the awkward, crooked smile that curled at one of the corners of his lips.

That was close to eight months ago. The baby was due to be born soon and Heero, ever her protector, refused to let her do anything that the midwife did not allow. She had hardly left her room! But it was worth it. There was a new, overwhelming joy that came from knowing that together she and Heero had created a living symbol of their love. She carried a second heartbeat, a second living being that represented the bond between husband and wife but more than that, the bond between two kingdoms.

"I cannot wait to meet you." She smiled. "Your father is excited too."

"I am." His voice came behind her. She looked over her shoulder and smiled as he came up behind her and wrapped his arms over hers. He kissed her neck and she sighed.

Through their combined efforts, the kingdom was prospering. Peace accords were being signed between enough of the lands to create a cease fire. It wouldn't last forever, she knew this all too well, but the knowledge that their child would grow up safe in a time of peace made it well worth it. She turned her head to look at him over her shoulder.

"I love you." She said. The smile he gave her spoke for him louder and stronger than words ever could as he kissed her softly. She relaxed into her husband's embrace and smiled as they watched the sunset. Finally, after a turbulent start, the war of their hearts was at last over.