Actions

Work Header

Lev's Tale

Summary:

After the passing of Drew, Aizen & Holt (from the first story in the series) arrive at the capital of Harath. They cross paths with a prison guard, Aldan, who had fallen in love and married Drew. Together, they realize that they must prevent a half-breed demon black-wolf boy from destroying the world with his powers. Lev seems like any normal boy, but is under control of the same evil magic that cost Drew his life. Can he be saved?
Meanwhile, war with Cruiberg is coming closer than ever, and everything seems to be going just as planned for them.

Chapter 1: Chapter One

Chapter Text

THE BOY HEROES FROM THE LAND OF ERIK (A Series of Epics)

 

Epic no. 4 -

 

Lev’s Tale

By DamiJon

 

Chapter One.

 

                Three months have passed since the passing of Drew. It's a bristle night in early October, an orange harvest moon hanging in the sky, cold air brushing by. Further deep into the kingdom where various minority tribes live together, a young demon boy with extravagant blonde hair and deep red eyes sits outside of his temple on a tall tree stump softly playing his lute. His clothes are handmade, camouflage green, black shorts, and his ashen silver tail is curled around the stump. He sings a song about a warrior who has lost his love, and then his voice cracks. A girl laughs at him, then covers her face. A decent crowd watches him play as they eat and enjoy the music, generously offering him money into his top hat before they leave. He stops for a moment, stretching out his legs, and listens to the sound of chanting, singing bowls, laughter and love from inside of the temple.

                Another boy walks up the staircase to the top entrance, standing by the doorway and watching as Aizen practices a flute he has carved. The boys name is Lev, a short boy with long crimson-black hair that hands below his eyebrows. His ears are that of a wolf, black and soft. His horns are four inches long, same as the younger boy. Lev's eyes are a mystical green. He's wearing a gray kimono that stops down above his knees. Barefoot, as all demons always are. His tail is shorter than most, a sparkling black, only the tip of it can be seen out of the kimono. He pulls on it by the neck, panting, and rubs his forehead.

                Aizen notices this, stops playing his flute and looks at him concerningly. “Another migraine? Here.”

                He grabs his container of water. Lev drinks half of it down, falling to the floor and still in pain. Lev is mid thirteen, about five foot seven, skinny with muscle at his stomach, legs, and a bit on his arms, but other than that he is no more built than the younger eleven-year-old offering him help. He breathes heavily but makes conversation with him.  “Your boyfriend comes back in town tomorrow, right? Maybe we can gather for food after classes.”

                Aizen's tail slaps at the tree stump as he thinks, trying to figure what time would be best. Him and his boyfriend moved into a small apartment deep underground beneath the temple where many other demons live that don't have the money to live more luxurious lives. They moved in only a month ago. Aizen was accepted into a school that teaches mostly music, while his boyfriend takes combat lessons in the forests to become a future soldier. Lev too lives here with his grandparents. Aizen answers, “I think after four will do. I have enough money for a good meal, and I'll show you some of the new work I'm doing.”

                He nods back, “Okay.” His face blushes. “If only I could find someone to love... Will he come to me? No. I'm not worth it. Too much of a freak. Ugh.. I better get going and visit the library before it closes.” He pulls himself up and apologizes for no particular reason. As he walks away an older man walks by, a soldier with a serious look on his face. Aizen plays a few chords for him before speaking. “Is something wrong? Hungry? Have a song you'd like for me to write?”

                Aizen Repositions himself on the treestump, his tail goes crazy uncontrollably. He drops his guitar as he grabs it to stop it, then it circles back around the stump. “Darn it…”

                Aldan looks at the demon boy. He reminds him of Drew. In the months since Drew was taken from him, Aldan has roamed the city. Looking for the boys Drew told him of. Every time he found a demon of the right age his heart lept. And every time, his hopes were dashed. He learned to keep his hopes in check. His fears were harder to control. What if he never found the boys? Aldan sighed. He wanted a drink and some food. Maybe this boy is the one. Probably not. “Can you play a sad song? Of love and friends lost? Can you write one for me? I'll pay in coin. Or food if you wish.” Aldan looks tired, exhausted.

                “Can you grab my guitar first?”

                Aldan steps forward and grabs the guitar from the ground, wiping it clean before handing it to the boy. He looks like Drew. They always remind him of Drew. He sighs and tries to focus. “Here you are.” He hands the guitar up to Aizen. “I had a friend once. Husband actually. His tail would do that sometimes.”

                Aizen plays some harmonics and tunes his guitar. “Oh? An anthro? Couldn't be a demon! Wouldn't that be a sight? A human and a demon in love? Husbands?” He sticks out his tongue as he scoots up, his feet dangling over the stump. “A sad song, a sad song, about lost love and friends.” He hums a tune in his head. “I think I can do this. Let me see if the chord progression works.”

                Aldan watches the boy hum and tune his guitar. “He was a demon, yes. And we were in love.”

                “Ah hahhh!” His tail rises up a bit in excitement. “Were? Not anymore?”

                He smiles sadly. “We are still in love.” He reaches towards Aizen's tail, but catches himself, pulling his hand back. “He. . .he died.”

                Aldan feels for the stone around his neck. A reminder of his lost love.

                “Reminds me of a certain rock that my kind use. I've only seen pictures of it in books. It must be a fake! How can someone bring that here across sea, from the other side of the world?” He looks confused on his face, then winces, and studies the warriors body and facial expression. Finally, he begins playing and singing.

 

“upon the mildew hill

the harvest moon aches for sleep

the clouds have all vanished

and the bed been buried deep

laying in the wet moss

a soldier weeps and drinks

his lover gone to a different plane

hope is lost, he thinks

to his home he wanders along the crooked road

he sees his lover in everything

reliving every memory in his heart he sowed

what is gone to him seems out of reach

at least he believes so at the bottom of his drink

has he forgotten what eternity means

but who am i to preach

day by day he waits for a sign

as if his lover would reapper

but what if he has never left

and is in fact, lead him here?

another day written away

'oh love please come home'

feeling the glow across his neck

he listens near the temple dome

'my love my love, i miss you so'

he goes to battle one last time

for a noble death of some sort

and is brought asunder

buried beside his demon, finally

their paths align..”

                Aizen puts his guitar down and goes for some water, finishing what is left. “That wasn't too good. I guess that's why I'm going to school for music! Ha ha… I'm sorry. That you lost your love. I can't even imagine what it must be like. Anyone that loves a demon is welcomed here. You can even come inside at any time you'd like.”

                Aldan stands quietly when the song is finished. Tears well up in his eyes before he wipes them with his sleeve. Softly he speaks. “That was beautiful. Drew would love that. I owe you coin and a meal, yes? How did you know how to write that?”

                “Oh, I just have had an itch for music since I was a wee baby...” And then he's caught off guard, remembering the name he said. “Drew? What Drew?” A pit in his chest and stomach. “No, it wouldn't be him.” His father told Aizen that he 'left' when he moved into the kingdom. Nobody has spoken about him.

                Aldan takes an involuntary step backward. He looks at the boy. He starts to speak, but stops, looking around at the crowd and passersby. “Is there somewhere we can speak, somewhere more private... Aizen?” He speaks the name in barely a whisper.

                Aizen doesn't know what to say and is confused. “How do you know my name?”

                He shakes his head. He's obviously excited, standing on the balls of his feet, ready to move and act. He clutches the crystal on his chest. “Not here. Somewhere quiet and not so - visible. Please, Aizen.”

                His face is afraid, paranoid, but knows that being in the temple would keep him safe. “Come. Follow me, stranger.”

                Aldan nods. “No stranger. Aldan, husband to Drew.” He follows Aizen closely.

                He jumps down, taking his guitar with him. They enter a large shop, dimly lit by flames, a counter where coffee and tea is served, along with a small shop with various spices that can be used for spells. The ground is stone, clean, and soft against the demons feet. There's also a long red rug throughout. He takes him down a spiral staircase, tight and compact, barely any light. Sounds from the rooms of worship echo throughout. They continue down instead of going through and interrupting people that are in meditation, reaching a hallway with no door, There are about twenty homes here. Aizen lives at the very end on the left. He pulls out a key from his pockets, opens the door, which creaks loudly. This room is most likely hundreds of years old, and yet it belongs to two boys under the age of fifteen! He snaps his fingers and fires light up on lamps and candles, brightening the room. There's a restroom immediately to the door, a small kitchen, ventilation system, a bed in the corner, instruments by the wall, a desk scattered with paper and two backpacks, most likely homework. By the counter of the kitchen are three highchairs. Aizen pulls two up, speaks roughly, “Sit. And explain yourself.” He gets his own seat, pulls off the flute attached to his shorts and puts it down on the counter.

                “Are you Aizen, friend of Drew? Before I can tell you more, I have to have the answer to that question.” Aldan sets his own pack beside him as he sits. He keeps his sword at his side. He quickly glances about the room, his soldier's training and experience spying no threats or hidden dangers. He smiles briefly. It reminds him of his sons', Bryan and Milliken's, room.

                “Yes, I am.” His tail curls around his seat, tightening its grip.

                Aldan stares at Aizen's face, trying to spy any deception or malice. Sensing none, he relaxes. He reaches into his tunic. “Then, Aizen, friend to Drew, this is for you.” He pulls out a purple stone that has been mounted on a silver chain. He holds it out to Aizen, letting the stone hang loose and twirl. “It was one of his last wishes that you have this.” He pulls his own stone forward, letting the two dangle near each other.

                He holds it, still confused, looking at the detail in it. It's definitely the rare stone that he thought it was. A protection stone given by loved ones before they pass. The stone used to be a monolith ten of thousands of years ago, but was destroyed, leaving only remnants. He's never seen one in person until now.  “Drew... Is your lover? Drew is...” He feels like he could faint. “Dead? That's not possible. His father said that he left, to to to....”

                Aldan reaches across the table, taking the young boy's hand in his own. “Drew was my husband. Is my husband. He was - - - executed for murder three months ago.” Aldan chokes on the last words. His head drops and weeps silently.

                “Oh, Gods...” He falls back in his chair, slides out of it, and faintly walks to the sink. “I think I'm gonna be sick.” Before he can react, he vomits into the sink, coughing violently, falling to the ground in shock, before crying. “Is this my fault? I should have come here earlier. I was always afraid he'd do something horrible like the other boy...” Grunts, kicking the floor. “Damn it all!” He puts the necklace down on the ground beside him, wiping away his tears, using a cloth to clean his mouth.

                Aldan moves next to Aizen, sitting on the floor next to him. He tentatively reaches for him, offering to hold him. He weeps. “There's nothing you could have done to save. Believe me, I tried. He tried.”

                He hides his head between his legs for a few minutes until his crying is over, then looks up. “How did you meet him?”

                “I was his jailer. His lover. His husband. And I walked him to the executioner's block.”

                Aizen looks confusedly at him. “I do not understand. Anything. You come here to tell me that my best friend is dead, that you were his lover, jailer, and killer?”

                Aldan bristles, “I was NOT his killer.” He sighs and slumps backward, leaning against the wall. I am a guard at King's Prison. “Drew was arrested for murder and sentenced to the block. I was his guard. One of them, at least. We fell in love, became lovers, and married.” He stands and paces the room, wringing his hands together as he talks. “I lead him to the block. I didn't strike the blow. He wanted me there. Someone to take care of him - - -after. Someone to help him be strong.”

                He feels a hole in his heart as If he has been stabbed, shot at. Slowly, he comes to put the story together in his head. He looks at the necklace again, rubbing his tears out of his eyes, then puts it on. “You will take me to where he is buried.”

                “Are you asking me or ordering me?”

                “Ordering you.”

                Aldan looks at the young demon boy. His gaze hardening. He thinks for a moment. “If you order me, we have a problem. If you ask, we don't. I've spent three months searching for you on Drew's request. He said you were his friend. I was his husband. I "AM" his husband. Whatever you feel for his death, I feel it more. Every moment, awake or asleep, all I do is miss him. He told me many things to tell you. So do we dishonor his memory and argue and fight? Or do we realize that he was special to both of us and honor him?”

                “I am requesting.”

                Aizen Stands up, quickly walking towards his bed to reach for a tiny book that can fit in his hand. He flips through it, memorizing every line immediately, then throws it back down. “I'm ready when you are.”

                He looks around. “You don't live here alone. Should we wait for your friend? Boyfriend? Girlfriend?”

                “He will not return tonight.” Aizen rushes for the door, opening it aggressively.

                Aldan grabs his pack and heads out the door. “You need to control your temper, young one. I have questions for you, too. And there are others we're supposed to find. And still others you need to meet.” He follows Aizen through the halls.

                “I will control it once...” He rushes up the steps. “I can get out of here…” He sprints outside. “And breathe.” He gazes up at the moon and stands still for a few minutes in silence, calming his nerves, thinking about his lost friend. Slowly, he shuts his eyes, exhales, and apologizes. “I'm sorry... Nobody had told me and yet they know how close I was to him. It's as if never happened.”

                Aldan breathes the fresh air deeply. He looks back at the building they've come out of. He takes a wineskin from his pack and squeezes a drink into his mouth. “No one told you? His father knew of the crime, the judgment, and the punishment. He did not visit once.” He offers the skin to Aizen. “Drew has forbade from holding a grudge.”

                “His father is a fool. Pushes the skin away No alcohol for me. His father's religious, but a fool, forgetting the sacred value of family.. Maybe he blames him for his mother. An even larger fool for that too.” Aizen turns to him. “I'm following you, don't look so lost. You think Drew would want you drinking as we go to visit him?”

                Aldan smirks. “He said you had a temper. That I should be patient with you. Yes, I think he would want me drinking a sip of wine if were thirsty. He didn't ask me to become a monk when he left. He asked me to find you, to give you the second stone of the three, and to save the city, the Kingdom and perhaps the world.” He takes another quick drink. “So, I don't think Drew would mind at all. Look, I don't know what Drew was to you or you to him. But I am his husband. In this life and the next and any after that. For eternity. But don't think I won't put you over my knee if you keep snapping at me.”

                He leads Aizen through the streets towards the edge of the city. “I had him buried somewhere he would have liked. I hope you'll approve.”

                He follows quietly most of the way. “He wasn't depressed when he was with you, was he? I mean, was he... suffering?”

                Aldan looks at Aizen and shakes his head. “No, I don't think he was. Unless he was a world's class actor. No, we were happy for the brief time we were together. We drank, we ate, we made love, we talked.” Aldan smiles at the memories. “He was a biter, that one. I held him as he slept, he held me. I think he was happy.”

                Aizen Smiles, bittersweet, but genuine. “I'm glad he found someone, even if it were at that horrible moment... He had been with many others before and I thought I could fall in love with him, but he assured me he was unable to feel love. He tried but went for someone else. I forgave him... Besides, I was young, still am.” He stops, quickly imagining what it looks like in his mind of Drew and Aldan together kissing, deeply in love, sex... Then he catches up. “The two of you were bounded to find each other in fall in love. That's the only reasonable way I can imagine it working... He must have really loved you. I mean, he must really love you.”

                Aldan chuckles. “In a way, that's my fault. Yes, the priestess who joined us said that we were together now because we'd pledged ourselves to each other in previous lives. And we will be together again, drawn to each other though our love. I'm sorry it caused you pain.” He continues to lead him through the streets, entering a quiet neighborhood with much more green and far fewer people. He leads Aizen to a small cemetery, hilly, green and wooded. To a plot on low hill overlooking trees and a river in the distance. There is a marker, stone with a carved heart. The grave is well tended, no weeds, roses and other flowers bloom. Ivy is being trained to climb the marker. Alden sits at one side. He kisses his fngers and then holds them to the marker. “Hello, love. Good news today. I found Aizen and he's here to see you.” He looks back at Aizen and shrugs. “I think that somehow he knows I'm here, talking to him, thinking of him.” He places a hand on the marker. The marker reads "Drew. Beloved of Aldan. Separated for an instant. Together through eternity".  “He'll hear you if you speak.”

                “I know that...” Aizen walks around, studying the greenery, the river, looking for the trees in the distance. It's quite a beautiful place, he agrees. “Damn, I hope Holt buries me someplace like this. I know that, because I am going to speak to him now.”

                He leans down, sitting on the back of his feet, closes his eyes, and recites a passage. Suddenly the wind picks up. A bright, electric light forms a room around them, then vanishes. He looks back, opening one eye to Aldan. “I am allowed to speak with the lord of Light once every two years. It is not easy magic, but my tongue is beyond that of many due to my ancestral lineage.” He stands up, lifting his right hand outwards and slowly. A white flame forms into his hand, then spreads out, striking into the clouds in an instant, and it echoes across the kingdom. Then the light comes down as he slowly goes back to his sitting position. “Please sit.”

                Aldan sits. He's seen magick, but nothing like this. And from such a young boy.

                “I have marked this place as sacred. If there is a flood or storm of any kind, it will have no effect here, as it is protected by an energy granted by Louw. Only the two of us are allowed here. Anyone else must have our permission.”

                “My son comes here with me and sometimes on his own.”

                A circle of white lights spring up from the ground around them, but not burning the grass. “If you take him here with you and allow him to walk in, then he will be granted permission.” He stretches out his body and begins to meditate. Thirty minutes pass. And then he begins to recite passages, quickly, within one swollen breath that seems to never end and extends on and on and on. His body ascends by three feet, eyes still shut in complete concentration, then silence again. The flames encapsulate them in its light, almost forming a room. He's speaking with Drew in his mind as it travels to a different plane, tears rolling down his face as he smiles, sometimes laughing. This goes on for a bit, and then he descends back to the grass. He walks over to Aldan, sitting across, and speaks. “He wants me to assure you that he's in peace. Most of his life is involved in studies, learning and learning, and also rehabilitation from the thoughts that drove him to... Leave this place. He says that he loves you and will continue waiting. That he's proud of you for finding me. If he could, he would return and save the kingdom, but he cannot.. I don't know what he means. You may ask him something, but I will be the one to explain what he says. There isn't much time either.”

                “Just tell him that I love him...I think about him, about us, every moment, asleep or awake. I miss him so much.” Aldan weeps openly. “Ask him...if he's found his mother and made peace with her. And how much time we have before the boy destroys everything.”

                He has a pained expression on his face, not understanding of the question. “They are together every day. He was able to hear you. He says that he misses you every minute of his life. He says he was afraid you'd forget what he'd look like, so he gives you this.” A painted drawing is formed into thin air. It's a picture of him in a kimono, about a year younger than when Aldan knew him. “He really, really, really loves you. A lot. When he sees your son, he wishes he could speak to him like we're doing now and give him advice, learn about his horse. There's not much time.” The white lights vaporize in a matter of a second, and then the rest are gone. The protective shield shines one more time. “He's gone. For now. In two years on today’s day, we can speak to him again. Maybe longer if I master this. As for the boy…” He stands up, looking over his shoulder. “He says that everything we know will be destroyed in less than three weeks… And I know who it is.” He falls over onto the ground, tired and groggy. “Unnnhhh... My body. I'm worn out. That spell, it's not meant for someone as young as me to be using. I think you'll have to carry me home.”

                He pulls out his wineskin and holds it to Aizen's lips Drink. “Don't argue, just drink.” He strokes Aizen's hair, careful to avoid his horns. He picks the boy up, cradling him in his arms. He's so light. He kisses him on the cheek. “Thank you for talking with him. For telling me his words.” A tear drips from his face onto Aizen. “I am in your debt. Let's get you home and healthy and then we can track down the wolf-boy and save him and the kingdom.”

                Aizen slips into Aldan's shoulder, slowly falling asleep. “Ohhh.. Yes. Thank you for... giving him life.. and love.. so tired now. make sure you shut my door when you leave? I need silence to sleep. Have yourse…” The boy yawns. “yowrselfff... a cup of coffee before you leave.” In no time, the demon falls asleep.

                Aldan tries to remember the way back to Aizen's home. His mind whirls with the sight of Drew's picture, the memories of Drew, and his words to him. Aizen smells similar. He looks at the sleeping boy in his arms. He's surprised at how much he looks like Drew, but with how different he is. To someone who didn't love a demon, the more subtle differences would be missed. To Aldan, they are obvious. He feels a protective care for the boy. He sighs. He manages to get back to the building, making his way up the steps into the shops, then down and through the halls, past the meditating residents to the last apartment on the left. He lays the boy on his bed, pulling of his tunic, and tucking him in. He makes himself a cup of coffee and sits at the table. He watches the boy sleep. To himself, he says absently, ‘how are he and I supposed to save the kingdom?’

                Aldan drank his coffee slowly, watching the boy sleep. He remembered what Drew had told him, that demons can sleep for extended periods. He sighed. He felt that he should stand watch over Aizen, make sure he was safe. Reminding himself that this was the boy's home, he stood and stretched. He made sure Aizen was covered and quietly exited the room. He tracked his way to the surface and headed home. He should make it in time for dinner. His stomach growled. His mind raced as he threaded through the crowds. Drew still thought of him. He knew and remembered him. Aldan felt warm and happy. Happier than he'd felt in months. He spied his home and wearily entered. HIs stomach growled again. He left his sword and pack by the door, in their usual places. He entered the dining room, taking his seat at the head of the table. His family was just having their soup.

                Lev looks up at the older, much larger and stronger man. Instead of soup, his plate has a half-eaten slab of duck on it. His tail taps and tickles Bryan's right leg. “Sorry.” The demon boy grabs his own tail and sits on it.

                “Father.” Bryan speaks. Aldan looks at his oldest son. His light brown hair is tossed every which way, his green eyes fair sparkled. Aldan notices the boy next to Bry. A stranger. An anthro of some sort. Bry was taking Drew's advice to heart. “This is my friend, Lev.”

                Aldan puts one hand up and greets Hello. Then reaches down, pulling little pieces of hay from his horns and his black ears, which flap when he touches them. “I hope I'm not intruding. I met your son as I venturing out of my way from the library and he talked for a while. Said I could come over.”

                “Pleased to have you, Lev.” He looks at the boy. Something rings in the back of his mind. He can't quite remember, but the boy seems familiar to him. “What were reading at the library?”

                “Alchemy, transmutation, books on architecture.” Lev’s tail escapes and lays in his lap as he finishes his food. “I should probably get going though.”

                Bryan grabs him by the shoulder and responds, “But you said that you didn't have school tomorrow! Oh father, may he stay over? He can have my bed. We'll sleep early, I swear!”

                “You young demons are certainly devoted students.” He smiles, trying to fit the pieces together. “Bry, don't paw at our guests. Would you like to stay over, Lev?”

                He leans back in his chair, then falls forward.” Oh, I don't know. I don't see why not. My grandparents wouldn't mind.” He looks at the other siblings. They're having their own conversations here and there, finishing their food and taking turns cleaning dishes. “Well, it helps that we can absorb information so quickly. I also get a private education with five other students. That helps, I guess. Maybe not.” His ears flip around as a fruit fly bugs him.

                “If you're sure your grandparents wouldn't mind, I don't see why not. I don't want angry demons looking for me, though.” He looks at Bryan, an excited smile on his face. “Guess what, Bry? I found him! I found Aizen today.”

                Bryan lets out a whoop. “Really? Did you talk to him?”

                Lev lets out a smile. “I was speaking to him just a few hours ago! He was playing his guitar outside of the temple as he always does.” As he speaks, Lev swoops his hair out of his eyes way.

                “Yes, we talked. He made a song about Drew and I and then we visited Drew's grave. We spoke to him.” Aldan's face grows somber. “He wanted you to know that he's sorry he can't learn about horses with you or grow up with you. He likes when you visit his grave though.”

                Bry sighs. “I miss him, daddy. I still think the King was wrong.”

                A strange, almost disturbing look on Lev's face. “Do you mean, the Drew that was executed for murder? I knew him, but never spoke to him. In a way though, I could feel connected to him through something... Such a shame that he hurt innocent people like that. But it's also sad because nobody in the community talks of it. It's as if my people are in denial.” He mutters quietly, “I can imagine that I'll be the same.” The boy looks down at his cleaned plate.

                “Yes, that's our Drew. You knew him but never spoke to him?” Aldan looks at Lev closely. “Are you full demon, Lev?”

                “Half.” Lev regains composure, making eye contact. “Half demon, half wolf. The first of my breed in thousands of years.” The boy stands up, pulling the string of his robe just enough to show his tail, then tightens it back up. His tail is furry, beautiful black, almost like silk, fur so thin and clean that the light reflects on it a bit.

                “First in a thousand years? Remarkable. But how did you know Drew and not speak to him?” Aldan tries to watch non-chalantly, to see if Lev exhibits any of the other behaviors that Drew mentioned.

                “I think it's because we're so much alike. Avoidant, not well mannered.”

                Lev stretches out, taking his and Bryan's plate to sink where the sister is, helping her finish the dishes quickly before walking back over to his seat, only to stand behind it leaning his arms on it.

                Aldan seems surprised. “Drew was always well mannered with me. He spoke of a wolf-demon boy. I wonder if that was you. He said he was a boy who licked his lips often and sometimes had to catch his breath. Do you think that might be you?”

                He laughs, but then seems a bit awkward. “Yes, that's me. Strange that he spoke of me of all people. Well, I mean, I guess there are certain reasons that would make sense. I am the only hybrid wolf-demon on this very planet right now, so it's definitely me who spoke of.”

                “Hmmmm.” Aldan takes a drink of water. He grabs a dinner roll, adding butter and honey. “Well, he said that I had to find Aizen and find you. He was quite worried about you, as a matter of fact. Would you like to see Drew's resting place?” He chewed slowly. His mind was working. How much could he safely tell Lev? How dangerous could Lev be now?

                He looks down at Bryan, noticing that they're both wearing necklaces with a purple stone, not just any stone, but one from Astrah's birth site. ‘Strange,’ he thinks to himself. ‘Drew must have given it to them. They must have been close to him. Could he feel me all along? Sense my pain without speaking to me? And now he's worried? The episodes have gotten worse, but I haven't done anything to insane in a while. He's a prison guard though. I have to be careful about what I say. What have I stepped into exactly? Fate? I think I will pass on visiting it today. Maybe tomorrow or another day... I have not slept in thirteen days.’

                “Hey Bryan, do you want to do anything before we head to bed? Go to your room or something?” Lev looks like he's trying to escape the situation as soon as possible.

                The moment he first saw Bryan his heart melted, which isn't surprising being the depressed loner that he is. All he wants to do is be close to him, talk to him, do something, but he can't make a move too soon, especially not on the son of a prison guard! He worries, ‘my heart always gets me in trouble.’

                “Very well. Lev, I loved Drew very much. I'd be your friend, too, if that's okay with you. You boys go have fun. I'll make sure mothers gives extra helpings of pie.” Aldan smiles and finishes his dinner.

                Bryan grins. He turns to Lev. “C'mon, Lev. I'll show you my room and my toy soldiers. I have coloring chalks, too. We can draw or something.” He stops. Suddenly shy. “I mean, if you want to, that is. C'mon.” Bry takes Lev's hand and pulls him upstairs to the room he shares with Milliken. They each have a small bed, with a chest slid beneath it. A dresser rests against the walls at the foot of the bed. A small table rests between both beds. Bryan jumps on the far bed, as he bounces up, he tucks his legs beneath him. He has a stuffed horse, which has seen better days. He pats the bed in front of him. “This will be big enough for both us, right? You can hang onto me with your tail so neither of us falls out.”

                He giggles. “Sure thing. Are you good at drawing? Where's your brother, anyway?”

                “Mikki? He's on a school overnight for…” Bryan counts on his fingers. “Three more nights. They're studying nature and plants and rocks. Kid's stuff. I guess you could use his bed if you wanted.” He seems sad at that idea. He hops off of the bed and pulls the chest out from underneath. He opens and pulls out a folder of loose papers. He climbs up next to Lev, almost bumping heads as he settles next to his friend. Their knees and shoulder are touching. Bryan opens the folder onto both of their laps, showing Lev his drawings. The drawings are decent, but the subjects are mostly horses, soldiers, battle scenes and maps. He smiles each time he looks at Lev. His breath smells of oranges.

                “Watch for my horns! Don't want to hurt yourself.” Lev takes some of the drawings out and looks them over, authentically interested and amused by them. “These are nice, very nice. Better than anything I can do! So you want to be like your dad, huh?” He's addicted to the smell of Bryan's breath and touch but tries to hold it. Luckily his fundoshi and kimono would hide an erection pretty easily if it happened.

                “Yes! He's fought in great battles. He helps punish bad people. Well, mostly. He's brave.” He looks at Lev's horns. “They look sharp. Are they? I guess Drew's were sharp. He made my dad bleed a few times with them. When they were riding each other. I bet you can draw just fine. What do you like to do for fun?”

                “Riding?” He blurts out in loud laughter. “Oh my... Uh, yes, they are very sharp. I don't do much except research and read books. I wrote for the papers a few times, just some stuff on novels that have come out recently, but something happened, and I haven't had the time to write for it anymore.” He looks a little pained and saddened. “You know, I don't think there's such thing as good or bad. Some people do horrible things but have a good heart. It's strange to think about at first, I know.” He leans in, brushing shoulders.” Anything else you want to show me? I think you'll be just as tall and strong as I am in a year or two! You'd make a great warrior.”

                “I guess with your horns we can't wrestle? Did you ever write any stories?” He shrugs. “I guess. I want to be a soldier, but I don't know if I want to fight for the king that killed Drew. He was nice and made my dad so happy. You remind me of him. He told me that I should look for an anthro who looked lonely and be friends with him. He said that we'd be the greatest friends. Do you think he knew that we'd meet each other? That we'll be friends like him and my dad and get married and everything?”

                Most of this information is new to him. He processes it quickly, almost as if a part of him had been there at times in that cell where Drew was. Maybe the person he can sometimes see in fire was him. It would make sense since it has been three months since he last saw the figure in it. He must have saw him too. That's how he know that Lev was in danger. “So you would like the king to die, Bryan?” He finds it strange that someone he never remembers speaking to has so much influence on his life now, but also seems to think of it positively as fate. ‘Maybe there is hope for me,’ he wonders. ‘Drew lead me to him... So my heart wasn't just melting, was it, Drew?’

                Bryan looks surprised. “Gosh, no! I just want him to be a good king and not hurt people like Drew. I know he did bad, but he was defending himself when it started. I don't want to fight for the king but I don't want him to die.” He stops and looks at Lev. “At least, I don't think so.” He grins. He's got something planned. “Are demons ticklish? How come you don't wear shoes?” He's scooted even closer to Lev. He's looking at his feet very closely.

                Lev jumps further along in the bed, shielding his feet in bedsheets. “Don't get any ideas! It's a religious thing! You're closer to the Earth when you're barefoot.”

                “Really? That's neat.” He grins, definitely with something in mind. “So you ARE ticklish? So am I. We should have a tickle war or you should tell me a story or I could brush your tail. We could play with my soldiers. I still have to take a bath. Do you take baths? Or do you lick yourself like a cat or wolf does?”

                He snickers. “Hey! I'm not completely like an animal.” Lev Looks over his shoulder. “Okay. I clean myself at times, but I take baths too, you know!” He reaches over and starts tickling his armpits, then under his shirt, laughing as he does so, then he stops as he falls off of the bed. “Oof! I'm fine!” The demon boy stands up. “I didn't bring any extra clothes with me.”

                “That's okay. You can use some of mine. Or we can just wash yours.” Bry stands up on his knees at the edge of the bed. He pulls his shirt off and tosses it near the door. “Besides with Mikki gone we don't need clothes unless we leave the room.” He reaches out and grabs Lev' hand and pulls him down onto the bed, next to him. “I like it when you're closer to me. That's weird, huh?” He gets serious for a moment. “One of the other boys in class said something about you and the anthros at school. I kind of want to ask you about it, but I don't want to hurt your feelings.” The stone, set in a silver chain sparkles against Bryan's tanned skin. It almost seems to glow on its own.

                Lev sits up closer to him, paying too much attention on his nipples and belly button. ‘Hairless, beautiful. Can I touch him there? I'm sure he's soft. What is his back like? His ass? Is he cut or uncut? Has he ever been with someone before? Probably not. He probably hasn't started growing down there yet either.’ He shakes his head, knocking thoughts out of his mind and goes back to the topic. “Sure, sure, go ahead.” His tail tickles up Bryan's back, then stops, laying in his lap around him.

                “Promise you won't get mad at me.” Bryan giggles, leaning forward with his shoulders thrown back as the tail tickles him. “That's not fair. You'd win a tickle war for sure with your tail! Then I'd have to be your slave.” His nipples have hardened, with goose bumps spreading over his chest. He stops laughing and pokes Lev's knee and leg as he talks. “It was Burkon who said it, but he's sort of mean. He said you have a red dick. He said, red dick like a dog. He said you probably lick it too. I don't know why, but I wanted to hit him when he said that. He says that an anthros have animal dicks, even the girls! Is that true?”

                Lev laughs to himself. “Would that scare you? I mean, haven't you seen an anthro in a stall at all?”

                “Well, I've seen mine and Milliken's and dad's. But no one else’s.” He leans close, the citrus of his breath is intoxicating. “Sometimes mine gets really hard. So hard I can't pee.” His voice drops to a whisper. “Sometimes I touch it when it's hard. Does that ever happen to you? What do you do if it does?”

                Lev feels himself getting an erection, a bit uncomfortable. “Well, first off, I ended up getting the demon side, so it doesn't look like a wolf unless I were to transform, which I can't do on will, nor do I really want to.” He pinches at himself, untying part of his kimono and letting it flop down. His chest and stomach is exposed, but the robe covers his fundoshi. “That's called an erection. I'm surprised they haven't taught you that yet. One of the people I go to school with is full anthro lion, and I tell you what... He always has to use the bathroom to lick himself down there.” He stands up, putting it into the corner of his bed. “Do you want to show me where the bath is?”

                “The only noticeable wolf things about me right now in my demon form are the tail and ears. Although, some say my teeth are as sharp as most demons, making them very, very dangerous, like a shark.”

                “We can wash each other's backs.” Bryan starts to get up. Stops. Falls back onto the bed. He begins to blush.

                “Come on! No horsing around. You can do that in the bath.”

                “No. It's not that.” his face, neck and upper chest are all blushing now.

                ‘Does he feel the same way?’ Lev wonders. ‘No, there's no way he would. Not me...’ He walks over to him, grabbing his hands. “Is it my underwear?”

                Bryan looks down at the floor. His eyes look up under his brow and hair at Lev. “Not exactly. I like your underwear. They're neat.” He picks at his blanket. “My thingie is hard. I don't want you to think I'm weird or gross, okay?”

                He blushes. “Mine is too, so I guess we're both weird, right? I won't mind. Promise.”

                “Really?” Bryan looks very relieved. He smiles and stands up, pushing his pants off, standing in just his undergarments. His dick tents them nicely. “C'mon, Lev.” He grabs Lev's hand and pulls him towards the door, grabs a towel from the hook on the back of the door, tossing over his shoulder. He opens the door and leads Lev downstairs, still holding his hand. His hand is warm. Lev can feel where Bry's sword has started making callouses. Bryan leads you to a small room off of the kitchen, announcing as they pass through the sitting room and kitchen. “We're taking our baths now. Can we have pie while we're in the tub?”

                His mom yells out. “No! Last time you made pie and Bry soup. I'm not cleaning that up. You can have pie now or after.”

                Bryan looks at Lev. “Pie now or later?” He stands in front of Lev, still holding his hand, his nipples and dick still hard.

                “We'll have it later, ma'am!” Lev Tightens bryan's hand.

                Bryan smiles and leads him into a small room. He looks for a candle. Finding one, he stops. “Can you do fire magic? Can you light the lantern in here? Or heat up the water?”

                The demon nods. “Yes.” He lights the candle in Bryan's hand, then the lantern, and even casts another to stay at the center of the room, floating endlessly.

                “Wow…” Bryan gasps in amazement.

                Lev cleans the end of his tail as Bryan starts the water. “Those aren't of anything special. I can do much more. But I shouldn't... My teachers and the four heirs of the temple believe it would be unwise of me.” Once the water is full, he warms it up, not too hot for his friend though.

                “Really? Why?” he slides his underwear down and steps out of them. His shyness is forgotten as he stands naked, waiting for the water to warm “You're going to wash my back and I'll wash yours, okay?”

                “I will.” He unties his fundoshi and steps in first. Bryan notices his penis, which is almost six inches erect, thick and circumcised, a small patch of first pubes growing on his pubis, some on his sack as well, and his balls have already dropped. The head is strawberry shaped. “Well, it's hard to explain.”

                Bryan stares at Lev's privates. His own dick is smaller, maybe four inches and thin, the head like a button than anything. He's circumcised, too and has not a single hair. His balls haven't dropped and his scrotum is almost a nutty brown. “Wow. Yours is huge!”

                 Lev blushes a bright red, his tail splashing the water. “Yours is too for your age. Man, I can't even imagine...” He ponders how far he can go. “You can touch it if you'd like.”

                Bryan climbs in the water. “Ooooo. That's nice! Can I? You won't mind? You can touch mine, too. If you want. You don't have to.” He kneels down in the water, moving closer to Lev. He begins to reach for Lev's penis, but stops. “Hey, what can't you even imagine?”

                He reaches for Bryan's pecker, pinching the head, feeling how soft and smaller it is, then the sack, before he lets go, satisfied as he grabs a bar of soap. “Because it's gonna get bigger. Much bigger. Mine is done growing; I think. Now turn over so I can get your back.”

                Bry nods. He hasn't stopped smiling since they got into the tub together. He turns away from Lev. “This is neat, huh?”

                “Yeah.” He rubs the bar of soap in circles all over his back and neck, then splashing the water up as he rubs it into his skin. After cleaning it, he goes in for a smell. “Now you don't smell like horse dung.” Lev laughs. “Your turn!” Lev turns around in the bath. His tail springs up, splashing water into Bryan's face and slaps over the side of the tub. “That wasn't me! I mean, it was, but it's wild like that.”

                Bryan giggles, “Does it really have a mind of its own?” He turns and looks at Lev's back, his neck, his bottom. He takes the soap and begins washing Lev's back and neck, using an up and down motion “Should I wash your tail?” He giggles again. “Both of them?” He playfully bumps his hip into Lev's bottom.

                “Go ahead, but be gentle with my tail.” It carefully moves into Bryan's lap, tickling at his stomach and belly button for a moment.

                Bryan nods. He soaps up his hands until the lather drips from them. He careful takes Lev's tail and works the lather over it, holding like a sausage. His tongue pokes out of the left corner of his mouth as he concentrates on being gentle. He soaps the entire length of tail, the begins washing Lev's buttocks.

                “You're fine.” Lev’s hands are trying to hide his erection under the soapy tub. “Should we wash each-others chests now?”

                “Yeah. Turn around, Lev.” Bryan I kneeling in the water, his erection just above the water line. He seems unconcerned about his own erection, instead staring at Lev's. He blushes and raises his eyes, smiling awkwardly. “I feel funny.”

                “How so?” He uses the soapy water to scrub into Bryans chest, stomach, under his pits. “Your skin is so tan. Do you run around everywhere without clothes or something?”

                “I train a lot with dad and we take our shirts off when it's warm.” He shrugs and looks down. “Do you not like it?”

                “I love it! I mean, I think you, uhm... Look good. Should we dry off now?”

                “Not yet.” He looks at Lev's erection. “It's not like a dog's at all is it?”

                “No, no. Come to my school and you'll see a few.” Lev stands up on his knees to show it to him. “If I turn into a wolf, it will be, and for a few days it'll stay like that after I return back, then suddenly, WAM, it's normal again! Weird, huh? It's like, where does all of that wolf hair go, and the claws and such?”

                “Wow, that is weird.” Bryan’s staring at it, fascinated. He shimmies forward and grabs Lev's hips, pushing forward until his erection is right next to Lev's. Their heads poke each other a bit. “Mine's thinner than yours. And your tippy is different. Is that because of your wolfiness? Or is everyone's different?”

                “Everyone is different, Bryan.” He touches his friends with two fingers. “Yours will get bigger and thicker in a few years and then you'll get pubes like me. I just started growing mine a few months ago! Pretty cool, huh? There's different kinds of heads too, like some are mushroom sized, really weird and large, or helmet shaped, a saddle, strawberry like…” He rubs along his shaft. “Some people have something called a foreskin, too. Ours was removed. All males of my kind, demons, I mean, get them taken off. I think some humans have it. It hangs over your dick head.” He trails down to touch his testicles. “These will drop lower when your sack grows. Then you'll start producing cum, or semen, a liquid that comes out of your penis. It feels really good when you cum. You do it by playing with yourself.” Talking about this has already made him drip a few drops of semen. “If you really like someone, they might make you get an erection. We both have one right now. I think that's because we like each other.” He lets go, leaning back into the water as his tail floats over the top of it.

                As Lev talks, Bry listens, enraptured by his friend. He hangs on every word, his mouth partly open his eyes following Lev's hand. As Lev leans back, Bryan leans forward, following him, almost as if by pure instinct. He wraps his arms around Lev and squeezes him tightly, his head turned away. He holds Lev and doesn't seem to be letting go

                “Uh... Bry? Are you ok?” He doesn't know if he should hold him back or not.

                Bryan doesn't let go. His necklace and stone press against Lev. “Mhmmm.”

                Lev slowly wraps his arms around him, his tail twisting around their backs. ‘Should I kiss him? What would he do? Would his Dad beat the crap out of me?’ “Bry... This is only something you do with someone you really like.”

                Bryan turns his head, resting it against Lev's chest. He looks up, smiling, He closes his eyes and snuggles against him. “Okay. We can stop if you don't like me that much. I won't be mad.”

                “No. I like it. I like you. In fact, I like you very much.”

                Bryan looks up at Lev again, his eyes excited. “Really? I like you loads.” He pulls partly away from Lev, his hands dropping to Lev's hips. He looks down at their erections then into Lev's eyes. “When I saw you, I felt funny. I feel funny now. I like looking at you. I'm afraid you'll be mad at me for looking though and that makes me scared. But I can't stop. I don't know why.”

                “Hey... Close your eyes for a second.” Lev touches his arms softly as he leans back up.

                Without hesitation, Bryan closes his eyes. “Okay.”

                Le quietly moves over to him, pressing his lips to his, kissing him with a loud puck sound before he breaks it. “You can open now.”

                “If I keep them closed will you do that again?”

                “You can keep them open. Sometimes it's awkward to look when you kiss someone though.”

                Bryan opens his eyes. His smile is goofy and happy. “Why?”

                This time, Lev pulls him in to his chest, kissing him again. “I don't know. Just weird.” The demon gives him another kiss. “I love you, Bryan.”

                Bryan wraps his arms around Lev. He kisses back, clumsy and awkward, but genuine and innocent. He pulls back barely enough to speak. “I love you, too, Lev.” He lips brush Lev's as he talks, his breath blowing hints of orange. He leans in and kisses again.

                “You taste good.”

                There's a loud knock on the door. “You boys nearly done? We're all waiting for pie.” The door opens and Aldan pokes his head around the door. He spies the two of them, arching an eyebrow. He starts to come in but stops and steps back out. “Finish up, boys. Time for dessert.” He closes the door.

                Bryan gulps and his entire face turns red, his ears and neck, too. “Oh, cripes!”

                “Do you think he saw us?”

                Bryan looks frightened and anxious. “I can't tell by his tone...”

                Lev steps out of the tub. His ears and tail flap water around.

                Bryan climbs out of the tub. His erection disappearing quickly. “I don't know. I know his eyebrow, though. He knows something or saw something. What do we do???” He grabs the towel and begins drying Lev's chest.

                “We'll just pretend we are playing around. If he asks, then we'll make something up.” Lev takes the towel and quickly wipes his new and first love from head to toe. He grabs his cloth off of the floor and ties back his fundoshi, first draping it across his shoulder and under his legs, wrapping it around his waist, twisting a knot, then tying the front part under his front legs to make a vertical not that goes right into his butt. Bryan is surprised by how fast he does this and also amused by how much is butt is still exposed, but when his tail falls down it hides it a bit better. “Do we need to put more clothes on before we eat? Humans seem to be a bit more conservative about shielding their skin.” He nubs on Bryans neck, not biting, just using his lips, and tickles at his side before stepping a few feet away. “You're so beautiful and cute.”

                Bryan giggles and kisses Lev's cheek. “Yeah, we should get dressed. I know mom wouldn't like it if we went out in our whities. You're beautiful and you have a tail! And your ears are cuter than mine.” He pulls on his clothes and flattens his hair with his hands. He grabs the handle, looking at Lev. “Ready?”

                “Yup!” Lev walks carefully, a bit shy.

                Bryan opens the door and leads the pair into the sitting room. Aldan is sitting in a comfortable chair, his daughter on his lap. He looks up at both of the boys when they enter the room, his eyebrow arching again. He goes back to turning the pages on a large book. “And that's a drake. They're like dragons, only smaller and they can't breathe fire or gas or anything.”

                There's a fire in the fireplace, warding off the fall chill. Bryan takes Lev's hand and leads him near the fireplace, sitting on the floor. He leans over to a box pulling it close and opening it. It's filled with books on one side, carefully stored spines up. The other side has toy soldiers. He looks at Lev, breaks into a smile, and asks, “Do you want to look at a book? Or play with my soldiers?”

                “Sure. How do you, uhm, play soldiers? We don't have games at my home. All serious stuff...” He sits down beside him, knees touching.

                Bryan perks up and begins pulling out the toys. The soldiers are carved from wood and painted, they stand almost three inches tall and there are swordsmen, archers, and some horsemen. He arranges them by type as he explains, “Well, we can take turns picking a soldier, then fight each other. Or was can remake one of the battles from my books or that daddy was in.”

                As he's explaining, there is the gentle tinking of china as his mother brings a large tray into the room. Small plates and spoons are stacked together. A pie and a bowl of fresh whipped cream rest on the tray as well, with a pitcher and cups I'm not the serving girl at a tavern. “Bryan, hand these out, please.” Bryan sighs. He looks at Lev. “One second, I have to help.” He stands and helps his mother dish and hand out pie and hot cider. “It's cherry pie, double crust.” She gives Lev and Bry double helpings of whipped cream. Bry sits down next to Lev, their knees touching.

                The demon sniffs it instinctively before tasting it, using just the tip of his tongue with a squinting face to make sure it's good. It's sweet! His eyes are teary. “I'm okay. Just not used to it.” He spoons a piece of it, gently chewing and swallowing it. “Your mother is a good cook. Ok, let's battle each other!”

                Bryan looks worried. He leans close, pretending to play with soldiers. “What's wrong? Did I do something?”

                “No no. I thought that's how you play, right? You hit the soldiers together, and pretend?”

                “That's how we play. But you looked so sad, like you might cry.”

                “Oh. That's because my taste buds aren't well equated with sweets. I typically eat meat, raw meat.” He takes another bite, assuring that he's okay. “See, I'm fine.”

                “Oh...Do you want some meat for dessert instead?”

                “No. Let's just play already!” He rolls his eyes, still smiling. Lev scoops up some soldiers, a few horses, and archers.

                Bry smiles and explains the 'rules' in between huge bites of pie and whipped cream. Cherry and whipped cream surrounds his mouth, a bit of whipped cream even on the tip of his nose. He sets up his force and Lev does his own.

                “You have a bit of cream on your nose.” Lev looks over his shoulder to make sure nobodies looking, then licks it off. “There we go.” His tail wiggles and then relaxes. “Okay. My archers are stretching their bows!” Lev moves his horses and swordsman around, making sounds for them to animate it. “We will ruin everything that you had once built! Prepare, to be... Destroyed!!”

                “Never! For honor and justice!” He moves his forces around. The pair of boys battle, soldiers being knocked over, reinforcements arriving, He finishes his pie long before Lev. Mother takes Sally and puts her to bed, retiring to her room to sew a dress she's been working on. Aldan tosses another log on the fire, then sits and watches the two of them, smoking his pipe and playing absently with his pendant. Time passes and the battle ends, Bryan letting out a huge yawn.

                “Seems like you won this time, but I’ll return with more tomorrow!” Lev stands up, stretching on his tippy toes, his tail swiping to the left and right before settling back. “Tired? Are you ready to sleep?” He helps him clean up the toy soldiers and put them away.

                Bryan nods as the pair puts the toys away. Aldan watches. “Do you want a story tonight, Bry?”

                Bryan looks at Lev, his eyes questioning.

                “We're game.” Lev bows to him. “That's what they say at my school, at least.”

                Aldan grins. “Alright. You boys get ready and I'll be up shortly. And Bryan, wash the pie from your face. What a waste of good pie.” He teases.

                Bryan takes Lev's hand and leads him upstairs.

                Halfway up the stairs, Lev grabs Bryan by the hips and licks the rest of the pie off of his face. “You can be messy with me. I'll always clean you up.” He races him up the stairs, winning this one at least. “Is it okay if I just sleep in my undies?”

                “What else would you sleep in?” Bryan seems genuinely curious.

                “Oh? I always sleep in this.” He hides his legs under the bed, patting a spot for him.

                “Me too. Well, not that but in my unders.” Bry takes off his clothes and settles in next to Lev. “You're so warm. It's nice because it's a little cold tonight.” He leans in close and whispers into Lev's ear “I'm getting a stiffy again.” He looks down, smiling, and pulls his unders down enough to show Lev his hard boy stick.

                Lev touches it, his tail curling by the younger boy. “Your Dad's gonna be up soon, though. Maybe we can take care of it after he goes to bed? We can play with each others.”

                “Really? Okay!!!” He bounces in excitement. “Can we kiss again, too?”

                Lev grabs the back of his head, pulling him in for a deep kiss. “Hey Bry, you think about girls at all?”

                Bryan thinks for a moment, still holding onto Lev. “Yeah, of course. I have to watch my sister sometimes. And Alicia at school is one of my study partners.”

                “No, I mean, like... Attraction.” He feels along Bry's upper leg under the sheets.

                “Attraction! That's it.” Bry turns to face Lev. His eyes bright with excitement. “That's what I feel. Like if you leave, I'm going to be sick. Oh, gosh, no! I've never felt that way about a girl. Or anyone except when I saw you.”

                Le Smiles. “Do you know what that means? You're gay. Like me. Your father, he likes men and women. That means he is bisexual. In this kingdom and many others it's very normal and accepted.” Lev Squeezes him and kisses the top of his head. “Hard to believe some parts on the other side of the world would think differently, huh?”

                Bry lays his head on Lev's shoulder. “How do they think?”

                Le turns his said, making a thinking man’s sound. “Weeeell... They think it's wrong. And they hurt the people that are different to them. Nobody is gonna hurt us though.” He gives him one more kiss as he hears Aldan walking up the steps. “Shoot! Keep calm.” His tail whips at the pillows, avoiding his friends skin.

                “So, they would think it was wrong for dad and Drew? Or you and me?”

                Bryan settles into bed, pulling the blankets over him and Lev. Aldan knocks on the door and enter a few seconds later. He enters, shutting the door behind him. He takes a chair and sits near the bed, crossing his legs. He tousles Bryan's hair, and strokes Lev’s cheek, surprisingly gently. “Story or do you boys want to talk about anything?”

                Lev looks to Bryan. “What do you want to do?”

                Bryan shrugs. “What do you want?”

                “I don't know. What kind of story? What kind of questions do you want to ask?” He looks confused, also a bit paranoid still of his father.

                Aldan lean back in his chair. “Any kind of story you boys would like to hear. I meant that if you have any questions for me. Although I'm curious, Lev. You live with your grandparents? What of you parents?” He puffs on his pipe watching the pair of boys. Bryan settles closer to Lev.

                “Uhmm...” He bites his bottom lip. “They passed away. I'd rather not talk about it.”

                Aldan nods. I understand. “I'm sorry. Well, how about a story about the Battle of the Gods at Mt. Deismar? Or a pirate story?”

                Bryan slides a hand onto Lev's side when he mentions his parents. “Lev, you choose. I guess we can skip a story of you'd rather.” Bryan yawns.

                He looks a Bryan, almost wanting to just run his fingers through his hair and let him fall asleep in his arms. “How about a pirate story while we fall asleep? It won't be long for us.”

                Lev shuts out the candles from across the room in an instant, leaving only one lit by where Aldan sits.

                Aldan puffs on his pipe. “Right.” He looks startled for a moment. Then he chuckles. “Drew would do that.” Sorrow shows in his eyes. “The tale of the dread pirate Roberts, the scourge of the four great seas it is, then.” Aldan tells the story with some flair and skill, using his pipe as a sword, or to punctuate some point in the story. He strides about the room, raising and lowering his voice. Bryan falls asleep quickly, his breathing becoming deep and regular. He wraps and arm around Lev and snuggles up to him closely. Aldan's only reactions are to raise an eyebrow and smile quickly. As Lev's eyelids droop, he backs out of the room, quietly, leaving the boys to sleep with a whispered 'good night' and 'I love you'.