Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of Second Chances
Stats:
Published:
2021-03-21
Completed:
2022-03-10
Words:
147,312
Chapters:
37/37
Comments:
270
Kudos:
281
Bookmarks:
4
Hits:
13,297

A Second Chance

Summary:

At the beginning of 1996, Hillary wants to follow her dream of adopting a baby, but it's not going to be easy.

Notes:

So this idea has been going around my head for a while and since I'm in lockdown again I thought about finally putting it down. It's going to be a multi-chapter and parts are already done, so I hope I can keep regularly updates.

Disclaimer: I mean no disrespect to the Clintons or anyone else in the story. It's only fiction work.

Chapter 1: Part one

Chapter Text

A second chance

When the door of his private office closed behind the retreating figure, President Bill Clinton sighed in relief. He ran his hands down his face and then up through his salt and pepper hair. He needed to get out of this situation and fast. Luckily, he had managed to avoid any inappropriate behavior this time, but he was afraid that the more she came across his path, the more difficult it was going to be to contain his urges.   

What had started as a small tryst, something to take the edge off and make him forget about his problems for a little while, had slowly gotten out of hand. First the shutdown, then Hillary’s testimony and the insistence of the special counsel, his anxiety and stress level had reached his limits. Hillary had to concentrate on her appearance in front of the grand jury, he couldn’t have gone to her with his problems, so when the young intern had flashed her underwear to him, his demons had taken over.

He was desperately trying to compartmentalize everything, to live his parallel lives. The part of him that had these sexual encounters with the young brunette, had nothing to do with the part of him that loved and cherished his wife and adored his daughter, but he hated lying to his family, hated not being able to control himself, hated encouraging this woman who was clearly developing some feelings for him that he will never return.    

Unfortunately, he had to admit that at the beginning it had felt good and flattered that someone so young would find him attractive since he was nearly reaching the fifty-years old mark, but the few minutes of pleasure he felt during the act and the momentarily distraction it created were nothing compared to the guilt and self-loathing he felt afterwards.  

There was a knock at the door. “Yes!” He called out.

His secretary, Betty, opened the door and peeked inside. “Sir, here’s the file you’ve asked for.” She came inside and gave him the folder.

“Thank you. Anything else?” He opened the file and started reading, hoping that concentrating on work would help him.

“Your next meeting has been cancelled, so you’ve got a couple of hours break.”

“Hmmm…” he was half listening.

“And the First Lady is back from her event.” She continued.

Bill snapped his head up. That caught his attention. “Hillary is back? Where is she?”

“I think her assistant said she was going to stop by the resident for a while.”

Bill got excited for a while. “And you said I’m free right now?”

“Yes, sir. Your next appointment is at 5 pm.”

He checked the time. With Chelsea still at school, Hilary was going to be alone in the resident. The perfect opportunity to come clean to his wife, and away from any unwanted ears and eyes, if any shouting was going to be involved.

He got up from his chair. “Okay, I’m going to be in the resident. Make sure to have someone call me ten minutes before 5 in case I lose track of time.”

The woman raised her eyebrow but didn’t comment.

He walked out of the door and he was soon followed by his agents. He decided to take the long way there so he could sort his thoughts. Nothing was more devasting that hurting a person you loved, and he knew what he was about to tell Hillary was going to hurt her.

But he had to tell her.

Yeah, she was going to be furious at first, especially since he had promised no more women, but once he would explain to her his state of mind, he was sure she was going to help. She always did.

He reached the stairs that would take him up to the resident.

“Thanks guys,” Bill nodded to the two agents. “I’ve got it from here.”

They hadn’t been happy about it at first, but Hillary and Bill wanted to make sure that at least that part of the house was only for family; free from agents, staff and anybody else. It had been a big change for the White House staff and protocol, but it was something they had really wanted, a sense of normalcy for them and Chelsea.

He slowly walked up, one step after the other. The more he went up, the more he got scared.

Was this going to end his marriage once and for all? Was Hillary going to leave him?

For a moment he thought about not telling her. He could end things with the intern and Hillary would never have to know. He could change. He had stopped once; he could do it again.

No, he needed to tell her. He clearly needed help and that was going to be his first step.

He stopped in front of their bedroom door and took a big breath.

Here it goes. He thought as he opened the door.

Hillary had just walked out of the bathroom. “Hey.” She stopped on her tracks surprised. “What are you doing up here?”

Bill smiled at the sight of his beautiful wife. She was wearing a red dress and the light coming from the window balcony was hitting her just right, making her blonde hair shine.

He shrugged. “I’ve got some free time and I thought about spending it with you. With everything going on, it’s been a while since we’ve had some quiet time together.”

She walked towards him and cupped his face in her hands. “Oh that’s sweet, honey.”

Bill closed his eyes, enjoying the feeling of her touch. Who knew how long it was going to be before he would feel it again once he opened the so-called Pandora’s box?

Bill put his hands on top of hers and sighed, head bent down. He couldn’t look at her when he knew he was about to break her heart again. “Hillary, there’s something…”

“It’s a good thing you’re here.” She interrupted him while stepping back from him. “I can’t wait to tell you something.”

He noticed that she had a big smile on her face and there was a glint in her eyes that he hadn’t seen for a long time. She was happy and he was about to shatter her world.

“I fell in love with someone today.” She exclaimed.