Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warnings:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 1 of The Pureblood Regime
Stats:
Published:
2021-03-14
Updated:
2021-06-15
Words:
55,815
Chapters:
9/20
Comments:
27
Kudos:
114
Bookmarks:
40
Hits:
6,948

The Pureblood Regime

Chapter 6: Tip of the Iceberg

Notes:

TW: Mentions of depression, attempted suicide.

Chapter Text

Hermione and Sirius tumbled into bed as soon as their guests had gone, the last one being the headmaster, who congratulated them again on Hermione’s pregnancy. Exhausted, Hermione had nearly crumpled once he’d left, leading Sirius to carry her up to the master bedroom. Changing quickly, they slipped into bed, Sirius holding Hermione tightly against him, and Crookshanks curling at the foot of the bed.

Around an hour before the sun was due to rise, Hermione rose from the bed and fetched her new Weasley jumper; this year’s boasted a book and a wand, with the wand intermittently tapping the book, thus opening and closing it. With Crookshanks at her heels, she paid a quick visit to Iris and the thus-far unnamed, black-barred owl, and smiled to herself, greeting the both of them in hers and Sirius’s shared study. After a healthy helping of owl treats for them both, she slipped downstairs to give Crookshanks his breakfast, and to start on hers and Sirius’s morning meal as well.

As she warmed the croissants and cranberry rolls, she got to work on cooking the eggs, rashers, and sausages upon the cooker, as well as setting the small table in the kitchen. Singing softly to herself as the meats and eggs crackled in their respective pans, she heard a familiar tread upstairs, plus an exclamation of delight from her husband, and she knew then that he had discovered the owl. Smiling to herself, she continued the breakfast preparation, inclining her head as Sirius came down the stairs and came into the kitchen.

“That owl wouldn’t be for me, would it?” Sirius asked, wrapping his arms around Hermione’s waist, pressing a kiss to her temple.

Hermione hummed in response. “Of course. Happy Christmas, my love,” she said, turning to her husband and pressing a kiss onto his lips. “But Iris was a definite influencer,” she reported. “I heard from her that they were friends back at Eeylops, and she missed him terribly.”

“Naturally,” Sirius said, holding her to him for one more moment before turning her lose. “Am I permitted to name him?”

“Of course,” Hermione said, grinning up at him as she moved the eggs into a bowl, and the rashers and sausages onto a platter. “Every owl needs a name.” Once she’d extracted the rolls and croissants from the small bread oven, she carried everything to the small kitchen table, and put a Stasis Charm upon it.

“Are we not eating yet?” Sirius asked, perplexed.

“Not for another moment, no,” Hermione said conspiratorially, turning then as an unfamiliar owl flew up to the back door, carrying a small cage. Smiling to herself, she took a rasher from the breakfast platter and moved to open the door, watching as the owl gently sat the cage down onto the kitchen island and looked expectantly up at Hermione. “Here you are,” she said, handing over the rasher, and also providing the creature with a small saucer of water.

Hermione and Sirius watched as the owl ate and drank, while all the while Crookshanks sat at attention, his eyes fixated upon the cage. Hermione cast a Cleaning Charm upon her hand so that it wouldn’t continue to be contaminated by rasher grease, and walked the owl to the door once it had had its snack and small respite.

“Careful going back to London,” she said, waving off the creature. Turning back around after shutting the door, Hermione crossed back to the island and gently lifted the latch of the cage. “I don’t want you to be frightened,” she said gently to the medium-sized orange ball of fluff within, who looked warily at her. “Come on, now. It’s all right.”

The feline inched forward and smelled Hermione’s hand, before permitting itself to cautiously step forward, revealing the impressive brown spots all over her body. Finally, once it was close enough, Hermione smoothly took it into her arms, and the cat nuzzled closer, clearly wanting human contact. Smiling, she turned towards her husband, who looked amazed.

“You’re a natural with animals, love,” Sirius said with a smile, as Crookshanks jumped into his arms, so as to get a better look at the new arrival. “Who’s this, then?”

“A companion for Crookshanks,” she said, moving so that both the feline and the feline hybrid could be nose-to-nose, and the pair looked inquiringly at one another.

“It looks wild,” Sirius said.

Hermione quickly calmed the creature she held, who appeared to take offense to Sirius’s comment. “She is an Ocicat, and she is not wild,” she informed her husband pointedly. “Though she has the appearance of a wildcat, there’s no wildcat DNA within her.”

“Have you thought of a name for her?” Sirius asked.

“This is Valentina,” Hermione said, scratching the cat behind her ears, to which the cats’ eyes shut almost immediately, and she began to purr. “Ocicats have temperaments similar to that of dogs, but I thought she would make a worthy companion for Crookshanks.” Gently lowering her to the ground, Sirius did the same with Crookshanks.

Crookshanks meowed at Valentina, who’s ears perked up at the sound. Crookshanks then moved into the living room, with Valentina following, and Hermione and Sirius watched as they meandered towards the couch, promptly jumping up onto it and falling asleep. Smiling to herself, Hermione charmed the fire to light itself, before she returned her gaze onto her husband.

“Feeling hungry?” she asked.

“Very,” Sirius responded, taking her by the hand and leading her towards the table, pulling her chair out for her, and proceeding to serve her.

“The headmaster said that Winky would be here tomorrow morning,” Hermione said softly. “I think you were saying goodbye to Harry and Severus at the time...”

Sirius smiled down at her and finished serving her, before he walked towards his own chair, and began serving himself. “That sounds lovely,” he responded. “I’m sure that Crookshanks, Valentina, Iris, and Draven will have to grow used to her eventually.”

“And vice-versa,” Hermione said, lifting her fork. “Draven? That’s what you’re going to call your owl, then?”

“Yes,” Sirius responded. “Do you like it?”

“I like the name, but I love you,” Hermione said, reaching across the table, and taking her husband’s hand in his. “Happy Christmas.”

Sirius’s dark blue eyes warmed at his wife’s words to him. “Happy Christmas, Hermione. I love you, too.”

~*~

Madam Pomfrey had come to the house on Boxing Day, accompanying Winky, who was squeaking enthusiastically at her good fortune. Sirius broke down what Winky’s duties would be, and showed her around the house. Hermione smiled at the strength and consideration that her husband was showing their new house-elf, and sat upon the couch in the parlor, pouring tea for herself and the Hogwarts matron.

“How do you like it?” Hermione asked her.

Madam Pomfrey smiled. “Milk and a splash of honey, please,” she replied. She took the cup when Hermione presented it to her and sipped it. “That’s delicious,” she said, examining the cup she help with approval. “And such fine china...”

“Sirius found the entire set in the Black family vault at Gringotts,” Hermione told her, doctoring her own cup of tea to her liking, before sitting back upon the couch, watching as the matron made herself comfortable in one of the finely-upholstered armchairs beside the fireplace. “Apparently, according to the headmaster, they’re called Shelley Georgian ‘Red’,” she said, pleased to know something about the tea service currently occupying their conversation.

“It’s quite lovely, dear,” Madam Pomfrey said, sipping at her tea. “Albus mentioned that it would be prudent if I accompanied Winky here to start her journey as the official house-elf for the House of Black, but he didn’t specify as to the reason why.” The silver-haired woman finished her tea and gently placed it back upon the tray. “You and Sirius are doing well, I trust? I do hope you haven’t suffered any allergic reactions from the farm animals...”

Hermione finished her tea as well, knowing that the headmaster had attempted to be considerate by not blabbing to Madam Pomfrey about her pregnancy. Stealing herself for any kind of reaction, Hermione slowly leaned forward, placing her own cup back onto the tray. “Sirius and I were made aware, just before Christmas, that I’m pregnant,” she replied.

“Oh, but that’s wonderful news!” Madam Pomfrey cried, reaching out and clasping Hermione’s hand in hers. “How did Sirius take the news?”

Hermione smiled. “He was terribly shocked, to be sure. However, he came around very quickly, of course. Not only was it the goal to become pregnant between now and the end of June, but he and I have spoken at length about children and it’s something we both want.”

“I’m very glad to hear it,” Madam Pomfrey assured her. “Why don’t you lie back upon the couch, make yourself comfortable, and I’ll examine you to make sure that everything’s going well in there?”

Hermione nodded. “Yes, please.” Angling her body, she placed a pillow behind where her head would rest, and removed her boots, before maneuvering herself into a lying down position upon the red velvet piece of furniture.

“Yes, just like that,” Madam Pomfrey encouraged, having already gotten to her feet, and crossed the room, wand out. “Just let me...” She dragged her wand down Hermione’s body, before permitting it to hover above her belly. She quickly smiled when a pale blue light flashed from the tip of her wand, and she pulled back.

“It was blue,” Hermione said. “Does that mean it’s a boy?”

Madam Pomfrey laughed. “Oh, no, my dear. It’s far too soon to tell. No, the pale blue indicates that everything is well, and on schedule. I’d pinpoint your due date to be in September, probably around your birthday, Hermione.”

Hermione nodded. “Oh, thank Merlin. That’s wonderful news,” she said, automatically clutching at her belly, and looking up as Sirius advanced into the room.

“Your wife is just fine, Sirius,” Madam Pomfrey informed him, tucking her wand back into her starched white apron, smiling indulgently at the couple as Sirius bent and pressed a kiss to Hermione’s temple.

“She says everything’s on schedule,” Hermione reported.

“And quite a strong magical core,” the matron said, and Hermione and Sirius quickly looked over at her. “Strongest I’ve seen in quite a long time. The both of you should be very proud,” she went on with approval.

“Thank you, Poppy,” Sirius said, smiling at her.

“Not a problem at all, dears,” she said, turning to look down at Hermione. “We’ll schedule some more appointments once term begins. Will you be wanting to go through St. Mungo’s once term ends? If so, I’d be glad to offer you a referral...”

“No,” Hermione said quickly, shaking her head. “If you wouldn’t mind, Madam Pomfrey, I would be honored if you would deliver my child.”

Madam Pomfrey smiled warmly. “The honor would be mine,” she said, and her wand vibrated from within her apron’s pocket, and she took it out. “Oh, dear,” she said, tutting. “Minor catastrophe back at the school with the handful of students who decided to remain... Ah, well, I suppose I should be getting back.”

Sirius and Hermione said their farewells to the Hogwarts matron, and Sirius moved across the parlor to see her to the Floo accordingly. Once she’d vanished in a puff of green flames, Sirius turned back around and regarded his wife with a smile. “I’ve showed Winky around, and she’s fully prepared to take over the house.”

Hermione grinned, sitting up so as Sirius could sit down on the couch behind her. “Should we be worried?” she asked, taking ahold of his hands to place upon her belly.

“Oh, I think not, seeing as it’s Winky,” Sirius assured her, gently pulling her backwards so as she could lean up against the length of his body. “Other than the minor slip-up, she served the Crouch family for many years.”

Hermione shook her head. “Harry told us how devastated she was to be let go... It was an eye-opening experience, truly, to hear about, and later meet, a house-elf who was so keen on working for a family.” She turned her head then, looking at her husband with a fair amount of seriousness, and felt all the more secure in his arms. “What is that I’m smelling?” she asked, lifting her nose into the air, and her stomach growling a moment later.

Sirius smiled indulgently at his young wife. “Oh. I may have informed Winky that you provided that lavish dinner party on Christmas Eve, plus breakfast and dinner on Christmas Day.”

Hermione raised her eyebrows. “And?”

“And Winky knows of your condition, of course,” Sirius said, and Hermione nodded, as they thought it best to inform her of it via the headmaster, once they’d petitioned him for her services in their home. “She just wants to be sure that her cooking is up to par. And, of course, since you’re pregnant, she wants to do some of the heavy lifting, so to speak.”

“Heavy lifting?”

“She’s going all-out for her first evening here,” Sirius told Hermione, “and she’s got meals planned all the way up until you return to Hogwarts for term.”

“What meals?”

“Tonight, it will be simple fare of steak and chips with your favorite, Caesar salad,” Sirius informed her, and Hermione’s mouth watered at the prospect. “Toad in the Hole for Saturday, and a traditional roast with all the trimmings for Sunday. She’s decided on roast chicken with potatoes and veg for Monday, lasagna for Tuesday, tomato soup and toasted cheese for Wednesday, meatloaf with root vegetable stew and fresh bread for Thursday, chicken cutlets with mashed potatoes for Friday, macaroni cheese for next Saturday, and a roast again for Sunday, as it’s our final day here before term is due to begin.”

Hermione pursed her lips; although she was quite happy with the planned menus, she was not happy about potentially being separated from her husband from January until Easter. “Will you have to remain here, then?” she asked.

Sirius shook his head. “No. Albus and I had a long conversation about it, after pretty much everyone surrounded you once you’d made the announcement on Christmas Eve,” Sirius said with a smile, and Hermione recalled how she was made to sit while her guests insisted upon serving her that evening. “Since we’re married, Albus has taken a good look at the rules and regulations for couples in the ancient tomes in the Hogwarts Library. Apparently, it is considered appropriate for married couples to be together. And, since you’re Head Girl and have got your own rooms, it’s not like we’d be frightening any first-years.”

“What about Winky?” Hermione wanted to know. “Surely, she wouldn’t like to be kept here, all on her own... Not that I don’t trust her, but...”

“But you’re aware of the notion that house-elves bond with their owners to the point where they will miss them if the owners are gone for extended periods,” Sirius said gently.

Hermione wrinkled her nose. “Please, not ‘owners’,” she said quietly. “We’re Winky’s family; we don’t own her. I’ll not have her think she’s our slave.”

Sirius smiled, pressing a kiss to her forehead. “My apologies. And Winky will return to work in the Hogwarts kitchens, just until we have need of her.”

Hermione nodded. “All right. That’s acceptable.” She leaned back in Sirius’s arms again, but this time positioned herself so that she could see his face. “And what about Harry and Severus, plus Ron and Tonks?”

Sirius rolled his eyes at the mention of his godson, plus his spouse. “Harry, of course, has already moved into the dungeons, and will remain there with Severus for the rest of term, as befitting a married couple,” he explained. “Severus plans on retiring and going into potions research at the end of June, so he and Harry will be living in the Potter property in Godric’s Hollow, which they’re restoring between now and the end-of-term.”

Hermione raised her eyebrows at that unexpected news. “I had no idea that Severus intended upon leaving the school, but I cannot say I’m surprised. He’s a brilliant potioneer, and now, with this plan in place, he’ll likely reach his full potential...” She worried her lower lip. “I do hope, however, that the restoration is a successful endeavor. I’d hate for their wedded bliss to be tarnished by... Well, some less-than-happy memories...”

Sirius pulled Hermione close. “I’ve ensured that the house there will be on the Floo Network, and the goblins at Gringotts will put up the best warding charms and spells out there. I’m sure we’ll be invited there, just as we’ve extended the invitation to them.”

Hermione’s brows knit together. “But what about Ron and Tonks? He’s not Head Boy—he still has to sleep in the dorms with Neville, Dean, and Seamus. That’s hardly an appropriate place to bring your wife...”

“It was initially thought that Ron and Tonks would only be able to see each other at the weekends, with Ron Floo-ing to London, where Tonks lives.”

Hermione fully turned around then. “That’s vile!”

Sirius nodded. “It is. They’re newlyweds and, what with Tonks being a Metamorphmagus, their bond is a bit different than most.”

Hermione arched an eyebrow, cocking her head to one side. “Is it sort of like a creature bond, of sorts, then? Like Bill’s marriage to Fleur? I heard from Ron and Ginny that they have to work in the same department within Gringotts, because they need to be close...”

“Very similar, yes,” Sirius told her. “Tonks’ abilities could go haywire if she and Ron are separated for more than a few hours every day.”

Hermione looked fearful. “How?”

“Tonks, in her delirium, could quite possibly turn into something potentially dangerous—a shark, or even a bear—and no one would be able to calm her down,” Sirius said quietly, shaking his head with a shudder. “Because her magic is linked with Ron’s, he is a natural calming agent for her. Because of this, Albus has asked the castle to provide lodgings for them both, all connected by Floo, next door to Draco’s Head Boy quarters,” he explained. “That way, they’ll only need to be apart for Ron’s lessons, as well as Tonks’s Auror duty.”

Hermione shook her head. “But I heard that any supernatural ability a witch or wizard could have, when placed in a stressful situation, could potentially be exacerbated...”

“Lavender Libation, a new invention of Severus’s, is apparently working well,” Sirius informed Hermione, pleased that she was so worried for his favorite cousin. “Ron will go to the Burrow for a few hours, or Tonks will work on a case at the ministry, or she’ll just go for a visit to her childhood home, to see Ted and Dromeda. She’ll take the potion if her symptoms are prevalent, and, thankfully, she’s shown no adverse effects towards it.”

“That’s a relief,” Hermione said softly. “I know the both of them would be devastated if anything happened to their children...”

Sirius reached out, gently rotating Hermione’s chin so that she was facing him. “Do you know something I don’t, love?”

Hermione grinned at him and shook her head. “No, love. I don’t know about Harry and Severus either. All I do know is, they’re working hard to achieve the goal, for the last thing any of us would want is the prophecy not being fulfilled.”

~*~

In the days leading up to the second term at Hogwarts beginning, Hermione and Winky spent hours in the kitchen, working around one another. Once she informed Winky about how the wives of the farm hands were interested in meeting her, Winky prepared numerous baskets full of fruits, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and various baked goods to bring to the good people. In return, Hermione was given all varieties of tea by the good women, typical Muggle conversation, and meeting their children, who were all perfectly adorable. Six-year-old Jennifer Gittings, whose mother, Diana, offered Hermione a cup of ginger tea with honey, quickly became her favorite, due to her intelligent silver eyes, quick wit, and massive vocabulary. Sirius had gotten close to Miles Gittings, who was an overseer of the farm hands.

On the day Hermione, Sirius, and Winky were due to return to Hogwarts, Hermione felt saddened that their brief respite was, for the moment, at least, over. She would miss their beautiful cottage, as well as the Gittings family, who had made quite an impression on her. Knowing that they wouldn’t be back until summer was a disheartening thought, but she knew that she would grin and bear it, as she always did. And besides, the vacation to her parents’ home in the Lake District would be fun to show Sirius.

Utilizing the Floo connection, Hermione, Sirius, and Winky were deposited in the quarters utilized by the Head Girl. Winky immediately snapped her fingers, unpacking both Hermione’s and Sirius’s belongings, while Sirius let Valentina out of her cage, while Hermione did the same to Crookshanks. Iris and Draven had been sent to the school the day before, and were reportedly in the owlery already, according to Winky, who had checked on them earlier that morning, per Hermione and Sirius’s instructions.

“Will Master Sirius and Mistress Hermione be needing anything else?” Winky asked, adjusting the pink apron with HoB stitched onto it that she wore.

Sirius shook his head. “No, thank you, Winky. We’ll let you know if that changes.”

Winky bowed. “Winky will be in the kitchens with Dobby and Kreacher, then,” she said, and popped away.

Hermione smiled, seeing that Crookshanks and Valentina had claimed the red velvet couch. She turned and looked out the window; it was dark outside, as it was past eight o’clock; Winky had insisted they not leave the cottage until eating their dinner. Now, she was just one sleep away before she was due to resume Head Girl duties, life as a Hogwarts student, and the critical study of her NEWTs. She let out a small mewl as Sirius took her into his arms, which he seemed to be doing a lot more lately, but she wasn’t about to complain.

“Nervous about tomorrow?” he asked.

Hermione sighed, practically melting into him. “Not completely,” she admitted; she had gotten all her assignments done during the holiday, of course, attending to her husband in various ways notwithstanding. “I suppose I never thought I’d be pregnant during my final year of Hogwarts, but I do understand the necessity of it...”

“We can definitely wait before our second child, dearest,” Sirius assured her, leaning forward and brushing his lips upon her cheek.

“But I don’t want a massive age difference between any of them,” she said, reaching around and taking her husband by the hand, and guided him into the bedroom. She was relieved that Sirius had suggested a bath after dinner, so all they needed to do was change for bed. Waving her hand, she cast a Warming Charm upon the sheets, and, after waving her hand downwards, the bed readily opened itself up for both of them.

“I can understand that,” Sirius said. “But no favoritism.”

Hermione turned around then, wrapping her arms around her husband’s neck. “No, of course not, love,” she said, knowing quite well how much Orion and Walburga had blatantly favored Regulus over Sirius. “Never.”

Sirius nodded, kissing her forehead before breaking away from her and crossing the room towards her wardrobe. He fetched and tossed Hermione one of her long, white and cotton nightgowns, and a simple deep blue nightshirt for himself. He peered at Hermione as she changed, finding that she truly grew more and more beautiful every day.

“Do you want to name the children something astronomical?” Hermione asked carefully, as Sirius slipped into bed beside her.

Sirius shook his head at her. “We needn’t partake in that tradition,” he told her, lifting his arm as he lay back, prompting Hermione to snuggle up beside him. “Why? Have you thought of a name?”

“One, if it is a girl,” Hermione said softly.

Sirius smiled, kissing her forehead more tenderly this time. “Tell me.”

Hermione slowly peeked up at him. “I’ve always liked the name Sarah.”

Sirius smiled. “‘Sarah’?”

“Derived from the Hebrew meaning of noblewoman or princess,” Hermione said, wrapping her arm around Sirius’s middle.

Sirius sighed. “We may have to compromise on that,” he said softly. “The House of Black demands very old-fashioned names, with just a hint of pretention.”

Hermione smirked, looking up at her husband. “Do you have a suggestion?”

“Seraphina, meaning ‘burning ones’,” Sirius said quietly.

Hermione happily pressed closer to Sirius at his suggestion. “I love it,” she declared with a smile, savoring the warmth between the two of them. “Seraphina Josephine Black...”

“Josephine?”

Hermione lowered her eyes. “There was a Muggle book I read as a girl. The main character was a girl named Josephine. She was outspoken and stubborn, and was a very talented writer.”

“It’s perfect,” Sirius told her, tangling his fingers in her hair. “And if it’s a boy?”

Hermione wetted her lips. “Prometheus,” she whispered. “We could call him ‘Theo’, and, that way, he’s less likely to be teased...”

“Prometheus Brando Black,” Sirius said softly, and smiled when Hermione caught his eye. “I think Marlon Brando is pure genius and lights up the screen.”

Hermione grinned, nuzzling closer to her husband. “I like him, too.”

Sirius waved the lights out of the room, shut the door, and pulled the curtains on the four-poster the pair of them were currently occupying closed. “You don’t think Albus will insist on naming the children, do you?” he asked.

Hermione pressed herself as close to Sirius as she could. “Merlin, I hope not...”

~*~

The following morning at eight o’clock, Hermione headed downstairs to breakfast, nervous about what her second-term schedule would entail. She would need to have a meeting with Professor McGonagall soon about her intentions for her NEWTs exams, and what all she wanted to take. So far, she’d decided on charms, potions, Herbology, Defense Against the Dark Arts, History of Magic, Transfiguration, arithmancy, Ancient Runes, and Apparition. She would need to write a letter of intent by March and would have the final meeting with her Head of House just before term broke again for Easter, and she had already begun outlining a draft for it.

Stepping into the Great Hall, she was relieved to see that Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Neville were already seated at the Gryffindor table; further along, Luna sat with the Ravenclaws and Draco was with the Slytherins. Claiming the vacant seat beside Ginny and accepting her hug, Hermione smelled the breakfast offerings, before putting toast and sausages onto her plate, and served herself a generous helping of porridge.

Harry, meanwhile, had served himself a generous portion of rashers and, much to Ron and Ginny’s horror, was pouring table sugar on top. “It needs it,” Harry told them.

Hermione’s eyes widened, and hastily cast a Silencing Charm around them; Neville was distracted by a debate between Seamus and Dean, and was not within the bubble. “Harry,” said Hermione softly, “something you need to tell us?”

Harry looked up at her and grinned. “Severus and I told the headmaster last night, and you four can know about it,” he said, turning to Ginny, “and you can tell Draco—”

“Blimey, mate, just tell us!” Ron said, his tone impatient.

“I’m pregnant,” Harry said. “Apparently, it happened on Christmas Eve, according to Madam Pomfrey—she checked me before our meeting with Dumbledore.”

“Seems like Professor Snape wanted to keep on schedule,” Ginny said with a knowing smirk, her red brows moving up and down dramatically.

“Congratulations, Harry!” Hermione said, reaching across the table and taking his hand.

Ron sighed and lowered his eyes. “Snape needs to brew us a potion,” he said softly.

Harry turned and looked over at him. “Ron?”

“Apparently, the Tonks side has difficulties in conception,” Ron explained. “If we haven’t gotten pregnant by Easter, Snape says he’ll brew something.”

Hermione sighed, shaking her head. “Merlin, Ron, I’m so sorry.”

Ron forced a smile to his lips. “We’ll make do, and I know that Snape’ll help us,” he said softly. “Mum’s with Tonks all the time when she’s not at the ministry... She’s giving her advice on what to eat, what not to eat, plus all these exercises...” He shook his head, looking concerned for his wife. “We just really want this baby. We know we probably wouldn’t even be trying if this prophecy wasn’t there, but...”

“None of us would be, Ron,” Hermione said quietly, giving him a sympathetic smile. “But, the most important thing here is to be patient, and love,” she whispered. “We all have the capability to love, and that’s the most precious thing of all.”

“It is,” Harry said with a nod, looking dreamily up at the head table, where Professor Snape gave Harry a long look, his eyes filled with love, before turning back to his breakfast potatoes and sausages.

“What’ll happen, do you think?” Ron whispered, voice trembling, and Ginny shifted closer to Hermione at the look of fear in her brother’s face. “What do you think will happen if Tonks and I can’t...? Well, you know. Have a baby...”

Ginny lowered her eyes, staring down at the table. “The headmaster spoke to me and Draco on Boxing Day,” she said quietly, hunching her shoulders. “Came to the Burrow and everything...”

“Is everything all right, Ginny?” Hermione asked.

“At the end of the day, there needs to be more blood for the Wizarding World,” she whispered with a small shudder. “‘Blood from innocent babes’... That’s what the headmaster told me and Draco, anyway.” She shut her eyes.

“Gin?” Harry asked, obviously concerned.

“I’m a Weasley, and Draco is Tonks’s cousin, so we share blood with both you and Tonks,” said Ginny quietly, addressing her brother.

“Yeah?” Ron said.

Ginny’s eyes snapped open. “The headmaster says that, if you and Tonks are unable to conceive, either with or without a potion...”

“Ginny,” Hermione said, her voice cracking.

“Draco and I have to replace you within the prophecy,” she whispered, trembling now. She curled inwards on herself then, covering her face with her hands, just as Draco dashed across the Great Hall, and launched himself into the privacy bubble, wrapping his arms around Ginny from her other side.

“Would someone tell me what the bloody hell is going on?!” Ron demanded, looking at everyone within the privacy bubble.

Harry lowered his eyes, no longer touching his bacon. “Ron,” he said roughly, obviously wanting his best mate to calm down.

Hermione lowered her eyes as Ginny took her hand and squeezed it, obviously giving her permission to speak on her behalf, while Draco comforted her. “The reasoning behind Draco defecting from the Death Eaters isn’t only because he didn’t agree with their beliefs,” she said quietly. As she took ahold of Ginny’s offered arm, she gently rolled up her sleeve and cancelled the Concealing Charm, revealing the words that Bellatrix Lestrange had cut there with her dagger which, due to being laced with dark magic, could be concealed, but never fully healed or vanished completely.

“Blood traitor,” Ron whispered, reading the words aloud, his voice alight with anger, while his eyes glittered with rage.

“Rabastan held me down while she did it,” Ginny whispered, her voice hollow as she named Bellatrix’s brother-in-law, who just so happened to be another loyal Death Eater. “Then, she encouraged him to defile me, so as I would know what would happen to blood traitors, if Riddle won...”

Harry slowly raised his eyes upwards, the green tinged with a violent red. “Oh, Ginny,” he said softly, his voice broken.

“I didn’t want blood on my hands that night, or any night,” Draco said softly. “But, when I saw what they were doing, I stunned Bellatrix and killed Rabastan. There would be no loss between me and that faction of my family anyhow,” he said, and sighed as Ginny pulled herself closer still to her fiancé. “Although, Ginny is my family now; you all are...” Draco struggled to get ahold of himself. “In that moment, all I knew was that I had to help Ginny, and to get her away from there, and it was then that I realized that I’d fallen in love with her...”

“And I loved him,” Ginny whispered, her voice filled with sadness. “Once I got away, I tried to throw myself off the Dark Tower...”

“Ginny!” cried Ron.

“Draco saved me,” she whispered, curling deeper still into his arms.

“That’s why you’re so afraid about the prophecy,” Harry whispered.

“I’m not afraid of Draco, or that he’ll hurt me,” Ginny said, trying her best to be strong. “I’m afraid of me, and my memories, and that I’m too broken. I’m afraid that I’ll look at the entire act as something devastating, and that I won’t be able to...” She lowered her eyes, tears streaming down her face, before throwing herself back into Draco’s arms.

“That won’t happen,” Hermione said gently, and Ginny turned her head to look at her. “That won’t happen, and I know it. I know it, because you’re strong, Ginny. You’re strong, and you’re smart, and you know that Draco loves you more than anything. I know that you’ll need some time, and that it might not work right away. And you are not broken,” Hermione said fiercely, her voice filled with determination. “You took down several Death Eaters that night, Ginevra Molly Weasley, and were just as courageous in the Department of Mysteries two years ago. I know you’re feeling fragile, and that’s to be expected, but I also know you, and I know that you never give up without a fight.”

Ginny lowered her eyes, her lashes becoming caught in her tears. “I just don’t know if this is a fight I want to win,” she whispered, and everyone within the privacy bubble felt the sadness leaking from the shattered witch.