Actions

Work Header

All That Jazz

Summary:

Lilith Demons is an ensemble dancer; thrust into the role of Velma Kelly in the musical Chicago, just one month before previews. Her co-star, Zelda Spellman, keeps to herself and barely speaks to anyone outside of the script. With time short and stress high, the two women can feel the weight of the show on their shoulders. Will it bring them together, or will the drama off-stage cause chaos before opening night?

Notes:

Please welcome to the stage... The fic that will most likely kill me as I write it.

But then again... I had it coming.

So we will venture through a range of elements in this story, although I am not a planner, so as with all of my stories, anything could happen and the characters are to blame, I assure you. They just do what they want. I hope you enjoy this; I'm so excited to bring this pairing to the stage in 'Chicago', one of my favourite musicals.

I will be using both the film and the stage show for depictions of numbers as, while I love the stage, I think there are some moments in the film that are more familiar to people and more dramatic. Plus, I can take creative licence because fuck it.

I hope you enjoy. And don't forget to follow my Instagram, where the cover art for this piece and many others can be found: stargazer_01_writer.

Without further ado, I give you... Zelda Spellman as Roxie Hart and Lilith Demons as Velma Kelly.

Chapter 1: Understudy

Chapter Text

“Five, six, seven, eight.”

A singular spotlight. Lilith’s skin prickled in anticipation. She lifted her head, arched her eyebrow and stepped forward towards the dark auditorium. 

“No!” Her step faltered as Faustus Blackwood came into view in the director’s seat. He was frowning. “Do it again.”

Lilith returned to her spot and raised her head towards the spotlight. She stepped forward and began to sing. 

“He had it coming-”

“-NO! Not good enough.”

“What do you want me to do?” Lilith could feel the shiver of irritation down her spine. 

“I want you to get off my stage and out of my theatre. You’ll never work on the stage again.”

Suddenly the lights went up and Lilith could see the entire cast and crew as they burst into laughter, pointing at her. The sounds grew louder and louder, until she had to press her hands over her ears. 

***

With a jolt, Lilith woke up. Her alarm was blaring and she groaned as she switched it off. The nightmares were becoming more frequent as the tech rehearsal grew closer and it didn’t help that their director, Faustus Blackwood, seemed to pick a new target every rehearsal to focus his frustration on. It had been Lilith twice already and she was not aiming for a third. 

Dragging herself out of bed, Lilith padded across the carpet to the bathroom and turned on the shower to let the water heat up, before checking her face in the mirror and wincing. The bags under her eyes were getting more prominent and she eyes the bottle of sleeping pills that her doctor had prescribed. She hated to rely on them, but maybe she should take one tonight, just to get a singular night of rest…

The shower felt good and as she rubbed her tired muscles with a soapy sponge, Lilith allowed her head to fall back against the tile. She rubbed circles over her shoulders, down her arms and then across her chest, breathing in the steam slowly. It was these moments that she took her pleasure in; moments of self care where the world fell away and she could feel tension slipping away, replaced with a warm comfort. She rubbed under her breasts and down her stomach, before slipping the sponge between her legs. The stirrings of pleasure pricked at her senses and she swallowed, moving quickly on. She had no energy to waste with a full day of rehearsal ahead and although Lilith liked to let go of some tension by finding a willing partner in a bar every so often, she hadn’t in months. She bit her lip as the pressing heat in her lower stomach persisted at the reminder of how long it had been since she’d engaged in a little stress relief with a stranger. 

She twisted the tap, and the heat was replaced with a cold jet that shocked her system, sending her shivering across the tile to grab a towel. Well, that was one way to distract her from tumbling into thoughts that would make her late. 

Drying herself quickly, she slipped on her underwear and tights, before sliding into the black leotard with the keyhole back, high neck and no arms. She pulled on her shorts and then baggy sweatpants, before grabbing her jacket and bag. One last glance in the mirror and she bit her lip; the bags were still obvious. She dabbed on some concealer and a little eyeliner before throwing them in her bag for touch ups later. It would have to do. She slipped out into the kitchen and grabbed a banana before stuffing her feet into her boots and heading out, locking the door behind her. 

On the way to rehearsal she slipped into her local coffee shop, ordering her usual and a pastry to eat as she walked. She was early, unable to stand being late, and so she finished up the treat outside the studio and tried to ignore the old twitch of her fingers as she inhaled someone’s cigarette smoke from the side of the building. She had quit years ago, but sometimes she still yearned…

Gritting her teeth, she pushed away from the wall and entered the studio, before that part of her could decide to join whoever it was and beg for a smoke. 

Faustus Blackwood barely acknowledged her as she entered, despite her being one of the first there. It wasn’t unusual, so she put her bag in the corner and joined the dancers who were already there in stretching. 

Others trickled in as the time for rehearsal got closer and Lilith sat in the splits, watching the door, her elbows resting on the floor and her chin propped on her hands. 

“He doesn’t look as irritated today,” Agatha, one of the other dancers that Lilith didn’t actually mind whispered from next to her. Lilith glanced over at Faustus, who was talking to Prudence, the choreographer, and who did, admittedly, seem a little less like he wanted to throw something out of the window. 

“Don’t jinx it,” she muttered back. Agatha chuckled and went back to stretching her quads.

Lilith’s eyes were drawn towards the door again as it opened and her breath caught. 

Zelda Spellman was breathtakingly enchanting with a charisma that made you want to leap up from your seat and join her... or at least that was what the reviews of her last show had said. In rehearsals, the woman had kept to herself, rarely speaking to anyone other than Faustus or Prudence outside of her lines, and it was when she performed that she seemed to come alive. Lilith had been transfixed the first time she had seen her do ‘Roxie’, her solo number. Her sultry tone, with some sliver of a strange sort of innocence, and the pure joy that radiated from her as she danced had captivated the other woman and she had almost forgotten that there were other people in the room besides the two of them. 

Today, Zelda was wearing black fishnets and a black leotard that was mostly hidden underneath a thin, half-see through maroon jumper, and as she placed her bag down at the front of the room, everyone’s attention seemed to turn to her, before drifting back to whatever conversation or task they had been on. Except Lilith, who remained transfixed. 

Because Lilith had not spoken to the woman, hadn’t even danced close, but there was something about her that drew her in. She wasn’t sure if it was the woman’s star quality, or whether she was merely the unfortunate recipient of a crush on the most inaccessible person she’d ever worked with, but either way, Lilith found that she always worked a little harder when Zelda was in the room. 

Once, she thought she’d seen Zelda watching her, but by the time she could look back at her, mid-dance, the other woman was focused on her script. Still, Lilith’s attention had become more and more focused on the woman as the rehearsals went on and she had mentally chastised herself once or twice when her fascination had distracted her from performing her best. 

Zelda began to stretch and Lilith averted her eyes as she felt her throat constricting. Ok, so maybe it wasn’t just the star quality. Lilith definitely had some form of a crush on the woman, because she couldn’t look at her stretching without getting a little flushed. Still, she had no business in staring at a woman who she hadn’t spoken a single word to. She would get through rehearsals, they would do the show run, and then one or both of them would move on to a different show and Lilith would find someone else to get a crush on. Because really, what she was drawn to was talent. She couldn’t resist it, no matter what form it came in; one of her exes had been a talented business woman known for crushing her competition. Lilith had been pleased to find that all of her work meant that when she came home, all she wanted was to submit. 

Lilith loved taking care of strong women; being the only one to see them become soft. 

Agatha nudged her and Lilith’s head snapped to her. Agatha gave her a strange look. 

“What’ve you done to piss off the High Priestess?” 

Lilith frowned. She didn’t like the nickname that the rest of the ensemble had given Zelda, although she supposed it could have been much worse. Still, with the ‘High’ coming from her supposed high and mighty attitude, where she saw herself as too good to speak to the rest of the cast, and the ‘Priestess’ coming from her pristine reputation and lack of interest in doing anything that the dancers deemed ‘fun’, the name didn’t paint her in the most favourable of lights. And yet, she was inaccessible, never joined the social nights and they knew barely anything about her, other than what minimal gossip they could glean from the media. Zelda was private and while everyone else judged her, Lilith respected her for it. Being in the limelight all the time, was it so wrong that she might like some privacy in her life? 

“What do you mean?”

“She’s looked at you three times in the last minute,” Agatha muttered under her breath. “Did you step on her during a dance or something?”

“No?” Lilith glanced over at Zelda, who was currently sitting in the exact position she was, stretching forward so that her head almost touched the floor with her legs thrown out to the sides. Lilith licked her lips and turned back to Agatha. “She doesn’t even know who I am. Probably looking out of the window.”

“She was definitely looking at you.”

Lilith shrugged, but her heart had skipped a beat. As Prudence clapped her hands together, summoning them all to the centre, she risked another glance at the woman, standing at the front in her T-bar heels. She looked as she always did; distant from everyone around her, except their director and choreographer. Her entire attention was focused on them. Lilith looked back to Prudence, shaking herself mentally. Of course she hadn’t been looking at her; why would she? Lilith was just a member of the ensemble and Zelda was a star. There was no reason for her to acknowledge her existence at all. 

“We’re going through Cell Block Tango today,” Prudence announced, her cool gaze sweeping over them. “Where’s Mary?”

The cast looked around, suddenly realising they were without their Velma Kelly. Mary Wardwell was an interesting casting choice for the second lead in the show, having always played angelic characters before, but apparently she had wanted to break out of her innocent reputation, at least on stage. She was talented and brought a new element of desperation to Velma’s ‘I can’t do it alone’ performance, but Lilith thought she was missing a bit of the ‘sex’ element. She had hoped that she’d just been adjusting to her new role, but there hadn’t been much of a change and it had caused heated arguments between Mary and Faustus in the middle of some of the rehearsals. Still, Mary was nice; she was always bringing in snacks for the ensemble and had come to a few of the bar nights where they’d sing karaoke and drink until they forgot about how much their feet hurt. 

“Does anyone know where she is?” Faustus asked, his jaw tight. They all shook their head and he let out an exasperated breath before grabbing his phone and storming out of the room. Silence lingered as the door closed and then Prudence pulled them back to attention. 

“Well, we’ll get started while we wait to find out what’s going on. Probably just stuck in traffic.”

They lined up behind the rolling frames that were filling in for their cell bars in rehearsal and Lilith rolled her neck, trying not to focus on Zelda, who was sitting in a chair at the front, watching them. 

They began and Lilith let the smirk she usually reserved for nights when she didn’t want to be alone in her bed play across her lips, as her arms reached through the ‘bars’. 

Ambrose, the emcee for the show, stepped forward. 

“And now, the six merry murderesses of the Cook County Jail, in their rendition of 'The Cell Block Tango'!”

“Pop!” Agatha sang next to her. 

“Six!” Lilith followed up as she curled her lip.

“Squish!”

“Uh uh!”

“Cicero!” Prudence added in, stepping in for Mary vocally, although she remained at the front, watching them. 

“Lipschitz!”

They repeated and then the first chorus came and Lilith threw herself into it with vigour.

“He had it coming, he had it coming. He only had himself to blame! If you'd have been there, if you'd have seen it… I betcha you would have done the same!”

When it came to Lilith’s part, she stepped through the bars, making sure that she slinked towards her partner. 

“I met Ezekiel Young from Salt Lake City about two years ago, and he told me he was single and we hit it off right away.” She wrapped her arm around her partner and walked around him, trailing her fingers over his torso. “So, we started living together. He'd go to work, he'd come home, I'd mix him a drink, we'd have dinner.”

Lilith leaned into him as he held her and she looked at him as though she cared. 

“It was like heaven in two and a half rooms.” She pushed him away, all care gone as she glared.

“And then I found out, single he told me? Single my ass!” He dropped to the floor and she straddled him in a side split, slowly, her eyes flicking to Zelda. The woman was watching and Lilith’s stomach twisted a little as she leaned forward, almost parallel with the floor and the man underneath her. “Not only was he married, oh no! He had six wives; one of those Mormons, you know?”

She sat up, taking her power position, her hands on his chest. She knew she looked good and she directed the question at Zelda with an eyebrow arch as her lips pursed, because hell if she was going to show off that side of herself during any number it was definitely going to be this one, wasn’t it? Was it her imagination, or was Zelda extremely focused on her? 

“So that night, when he came home, I mixed him his drink as usual…” She leaned down and caught the red fabric that he’d tucked into his shirt between her teeth, pulling it up. “You know, some guys just can't hold their arsenic!”

She rolled off of him and sent a fake kick to his stomach so that he would roll up to standing, just in time to catch her as she kicked up her feet in a jump.

"He had it coming, he had it coming, he took a flower in its prime!” She circled him before getting dipped so that her fingers trailed the floor and her long legs were on full display. He lifted her back to her feet and they tangoed across the floor. “And then he used it; and he abused it. It was a murder, but not a crime!”

Lilith prowled to her next mark as Rosalind took centre stage. 

“Now, I'm standing in the kitchen, I'm carving up the chicken for dinner, minding my own business, and in storms my husband Wilbur in a jealous rage…” 

The door to the studio opened and Faustus Blackwood stormed in; the door bounced back against the wall and everyone jumped. 

“Stop!” He cried. “Get out, all of you.”

“Faustus, what…?” Prudence began as they all began to head for the door. 

“Not you. Or you, Zelda,” he kept them back. Lilith glanced over her shoulder as they headed outside, to see Zelda looking perplexed. 

Outside, they gathered around the door, unashamedly trying to hear what was going on. 

“Has to be something to do with Wardwell,” Roz whispered. “He went out to get her on the phone.”

“What?!” Zelda’s voice, strained and stressed, came from the other side of the door and they all huddled closer. They could hear hushed voices and then Faustus’ voice rose. 

“You’ll just have to deal with it. You’re a professional!”

“How am I supposed to do that? The previews are in a month!”

“We’ll get a replacement.”

“And in the meantime?”

“The understudy will have to do it.”

Agatha and Roz looked at Lilith, whose eyebrows rose. 

“No… there’s no way,” she hissed. “They can’t be talking about Mary.”

“They have to be.” Agatha replied. “Who else?”

“I don’t…”

“Get them back in here. We’re going to have to get it done now.” Faustus’ voice rose and they all hurried away from the door before Prudence opened it. She gave them a look like she knew they’d been listening. 

“Well? Come back in.”

They traipsed in and Lilith’s eyes went to Zelda immediately; the woman’s brow was furrowed and her jaw was tight. Faustus waited until they had all come in before leaning back on the table and surveying them all. 

“Some bad news has just reached me about our Velma Kelly.” He crossed his arms and looked over them all. “Apparently Miss Wardwell took it upon herself to get hit by a car this morning, so she will no longer be performing in the show.”

Shocked whispers rippled through the group. Lilith’s heart sank. Poor Mary. 

“Is she okay?” Roz asked. 

“Does it matter?” Faustus snapped. “What matters is that we are a month from previews with no Velma. Where’s the understudy?”

Lilith arched her eyebrow. 

“You fired her two months ago.”

His eyes narrowed at her. 

“Thank you for that helpful reminder. Since you’re so good at remembering things, you should have no trouble standing in while we look for a replacement.”

Lilith’s throat dried up as Agatha’s hand gripped her arm. 

“Oh my god, Lilith!” She hissed, excitedly. But Lilith could only feel the nerves racing through her as she caught Zelda’s eye, who seemed to be surveying her with a look that Lilith couldn’t place. She was probably thinking that she couldn’t do the role. She’d been in the chorus for forever, never reaching the spotlight, and now she was Velma? Until they found a replacement of course. She clung onto that thought and felt a slight calm cooling the heat of her nerves. It wasn’t like they were expecting her to perform the role. That took some of the pressure off. Still… she had always wanted this. This was her opportunity… for however short amount of time.

“Get your stuff, understudy. We’re going next door to rehearse until you’re up to scratch. Prudence, work through Roxie’s numbers. Get that arrogant prick Lucifer in to do his Billy scenes. Go!”

Lilith sprang into action, hurrying across the floor to grab her bag and following Faustus out of the room, throwing a look back at Agatha and Roz. Zelda caught the look and Lilith’s skin heated as she disappeared through the door to her uncertain fate. 

***

“AGAIN!” Faustus cried, clapping his hands together. Lilith could feel herself flagging; if she could just get five minutes and a gulp of water… “This is the goddamn opening number, it has to be sharp.”

Lilith re-centred herself and threw her head up, feeling her top sticking to her back. 

“Come on babe, why don't we paint the town?... And all that jazz.” She slid her hands down her thighs. “I'm gonna rouge my knees and roll my stockings down… and all that jazz.”

She stepped forward and rocked her hips, focused on Faustus, determined to show him that she was good enough for this. She refused to let those nightmares become a reality. She’d done this so many times, yearned for the role and here was her chance. She could do this. 

“Start the car, I know a whoopee spot, where the gin is cold but the piano's hot! It's just a noisy hall, where there's a nightly brawl…” She traced her fingers up her sides and into the air, flirting with the audience. “And all that jazz.”

She lost herself in it, in the show of it, in the sex of it; the seduction that she loved. Everything about Chicago made her feel alive and she had always wanted the opportunity that was now within her grasp. 

When she finished the number, Faustus didn’t respond for a moment; just sat and looked at her. Then he pursed his lips. 

“Alright, better.” He stood up from the seat and stepped towards her. “We’ll get the dancers in to go through it but you’ll do, for now.”

Lilith smiled lightly, feeling the sting of ‘you’re still not good enough’ hit her. 

“Thank you.”

“Mm. Get some water and go and tell Prudence you’re to go through the number with the ensemble.” His eyes raked over her and a slight smirk lifted his lips. It made her straighten up, feeling a chill. “Then we’ll see if you can stand out from the crowd, or whether your time in the chorus has ruined your individuality.”

She nodded and went to grab her bag, slinging the strap over her shoulder and taking the bottle out to take a much needed drink. As she reached the door, Faustus’ voice stopped her. 

“Oh and send Zelda in here; I want to go over her scenes.”

Lilith froze and then nodded. 

In the corridor, she stopped to catch her breath, taking another gulp of water before putting the bottle in her bag and straightening her back; striding into the room as though she hadn’t just been put through the ringer. 

They seemed to be taking a break, so she walked over to Prudence and tried not to look at Zelda, who was leaning over the piano and talking to their musical director. 

“Lilith, you’re alive,” Prudence greeted her with a little smirk. Lilith offered one back. 

“Just about. He wants me to go through the opening with the others. And he wants Zelda to go through scenes with him in the other studio.”

“Then go tell her that,” Prudence replied. “They’ve got five minutes left of their break and you look like you could do with one too. Then we’ll get on with the opening number.”
Lilith nodded, her eyes flicking over to Zelda, then back to Prudence. She dropped her bag.

“Is Mary ok? She didn’t… she’s not...dead?”

Prudence shook her head. 

“No. Broken bones, but nothing she can’t heal from. Still, she’s out for the show. The cast have been doing a collection for her if you want in?”

Lilith nodded, relieved, and then glanced over at Zelda again. She could do this. She’d have to talk to her at some point; if they didn’t find a replacement too quickly they would have scenes together. Surely…

She stopped by the piano and Zelda glanced up at her, straightening so that she was standing to her full height, placing her arm on the top of the piano. She was very slightly taller than Lilith and the brunette flicked her tongue out to wet her lips before she spoke. 

“Faustus asked me to tell you that he wants to run scenes in the other room.” When Zelda only arched her eyebrow, Lilith felt a warmth in her stomach. “I’m Lilith, by the way.”

“Thank you for telling me, Lilith.” 

Zelda’s voice was calm but it sent a tingling shiver through Lilith. She inclined her head and turned away, heading over to where Roz and Agatha were throwing her curious looks. She heard the door open and close. 

“Oh my god, you talked to her. Are you going to be best friends now?”

“How did it go? Is he awful? Did he like what you did?”

“What did you say to her?”

“Which question did you want me to answer first?” Lilith asked dryly, aware that the rest of the ensemble were all pretending not to listen while they edged closer. “He doesn’t exactly hate it but I don’t think I’ll last long before he finds a replacement. But it feels so good to get to do the numbers, even if only for a little while.”

“What about you and the High Priestess?” Agatha teased. “Are you going to work your magic on her?”

“I don’t have any magic. And stop calling her that.”

“Oh please, I’ve never seen you get turned down by a woman.”

Lilith rolled her eyes and grabbed her water, taking another gulp before heading into the centre, leaving the others giggling behind her, just as Prudence began pulling them for rehearsal. 

An hour later, Lilith felt confident. It was easier working with Prudence, who she got on with and had worked with in another show before this, and she didn’t feel like she was being stripped by Faustus’ eyes. The number went smoothly after a few tries, so they had moved on to walking through the Cell Block Tango, while Lilith ran the song with the piano player. She was feeling slightly more relaxed, although there was an excited ache in her chest that she tried to ignore, reminding herself that this was just temporary. It could all be taken away at a moment’s notice. 

Faustus returned, holding the door open for Zelda, and Prudence went to update him on their progress. Lilith watched as Zelda dropped her bottle in her bag and picked up her phone. A small smile twitched at her lips and Lilith’s heart rate picked up. Zelda glanced up from her phone, looking around, possibly to see if anyone had caught her smiling. Lilith couldn’t look away, even as their eyes met. Zelda arched an eyebrow. Lilith gave her a small smile and then returned her attention to the music. 

“Right, let’s see what you’ve done!” Faustus called. 

He gave correction after correction and Lilith felt muscles that she didn’t know existed aching, but by the end of the day there was a spark of pride in her. The ensemble supported her, one of their own getting to play the title role if only for a while, and although some of them also muttered behind her back, she was grateful to those that didn’t. She had done a good job and Prudence gave her a sly wink when she’d finished and they were being dismissed. Lilith grinned at her and then turned, catching Zelda looking vaguely curious at their exchange. Lilith chanced another smile at her before grabbing her bag and heading towards the door with Agatha and Roz. 

“Lilith,” Faustus called, halting her progress. “I want you here an hour early tomorrow; we still have a lot to get through.”

“I’ll be here,” she replied. 

In the corridor, Agatha and Roz gripped her arms and squealed. 

“Oh my god, you’ve done it. This is it. You’re going to be Velma.”

“I am not. He’s looking for a replacement.”

“Lil, you’re so good at this. He has to keep you.” Agatha crowed. 

“He doesn’t have to do anything.” Lilith responded and then elbowed her gently. “And I told you, stop calling me Lil.”

Laughing, they made their way to the lift and crammed in with other members of the ensemble. 

“We’re going out to celebrate though, right?” Roz asked as the lift began to move. 

“Seriously? I’m dead,” Lilith groaned. “Can we wait until the weekend, when I’ve found my feet?”

“Alright, grandma.”

“I am not that much older than you,” Lilith arched her eyebrow and lowered her voice. “And my high kicks can still kick your ass, kid.”

“Sorry mum,” Roz grinned cheekily. 

Lilith contemplated pushing her into her crush, Harvey, who was right behind her, but decided against it. All she wanted was to go home, order a pizza that she would refuse to feel guilty about because of how hard she’d worked, get in the shower and then collapse into bed until her alarm went off the next morning. 

“The weekend,” she offered instead. “I promise. You can both buy me a round to congratulate me.”

“Oh can we?” Agatha said sarcastically, laughing. “What a treat!”

“So long as you don’t disappear off with the first hot woman that flutters her eyelashes at you,” Roz grinned. 

Lilith smirked. 

“No promises.”

Chapter 2: Rehearsal

Summary:

Lilith wants to prove herself, perhaps especially to Zelda, but a misunderstanding could mean that whatever progress she's made in getting on her good side is over before it really began.

Notes:

Well, here we are again. I really love writing this story.
My Instagram is Stargazer_01_writer
Twitter @01Stargazer

Hopefully you're loving this as much as I am. <3 Thanks in advance for reading!

Chapter Text

Lilith groaned when her alarm blared next to her head. Grabbing the phone and stopping the alarm, she peered blearily at the time. What? It was too early for her alarm; she didn’t have to be in until… wait. 

She sat up in bed, feeling the surge of excitement and dread rushing through her simultaneously.

“Oh, unholy fucks, I’m Velma.” Temporarily, she reminded herself. But still… 

Lilith rolled out of bed and headed into the bathroom to clean her teeth, then washed her face and studied it. She had at least slept, so the circles had diminished somewhat, but coverup was still needed. Hesitating slightly after covering under her eyes, she took up the eyeliner from her makeup back and added a thin line that brought out her eyes. 

It was best to think that she had done it to stand out a little more as Velma, to give her the best chance of keeping the role. It had absolutely nothing to do with the curiosity she had seen in Zelda’s eyes when she had been dancing the previous day. Nothing at all. 

And if she picked out one of her favourite leotards, the one with thick black straps that crossed over her toned back and left her arms bare, so what? She was allowed to wear what she wanted. She was allowed to feel and look good. 

The smirk on her lips as she checked her reflection in the mirror was harder to ignore. Her hands smoothed over the leotard and down her thin black tights that showed off her calf muscles particularly well as she practiced a few moves from ‘All That Jazz’. 

“Come on babe, why don’t we paint the town…” she hummed and then smirked a little harder as she lifted her chin. “Well, at least I look like Velma.”

She slipped some tight black shorts on, then threw on a black wrap cardigan, tying it round her waist, before pulling up some trousers and admiring the effect. Slipping her feet into her boots, her arms into her leather jacket and grabbing her bag, she threw her lunch into it with her water bottle, collected her keys and hurried out of the door. 

The journey was quicker than usual, because she had beaten the usual rush to get her breakfast and drink. She paused outside fifteen minutes early. Her nerves were thrumming through her and her stomach twisted as she thought about the day ahead. She had spent two hours when she got home going over the songs before stumbling into the shower and then collapsing in bed. Now, she felt doubt creeping in. 

The smell of cigarette smoke drifted past her nose and she gritted her teeth. 

Fuck it. 

Rounding the corner, she pushed the gate to the side of the building through and stepped into the alley. 

“Hey, I was wondering if… Oh.”

Zelda Spellman was leaning against the wall, the cigarette smoke curling around her, wrapped in a black coat with a leopard print collar. Lilith’s entrance made her jump, and every bit of evidence of her relaxation seemed to flee from her as she became rigid, looking at the intrusion. Then, her brow furrowed. 

“Oh… it’s you.”

“Lilith,” she supplied helpfully, feeling a sliver of disappointment creep through her. 

“I remember,” Zelda replied, flicking ash from the end of her cigarette and then lifting it to her lips to inhale again. Lilith’s tongue flicked out to wet her lips as she watched the action and she saw Zelda raise an eyebrow. “Can I help you?”

“I was going to ask to bum a smoke,” Lilith replied, eyeing the woman as her brain caught up with her. “But I think I’m just going to head inside. I quit a while ago and I should really try and stick to that.”

“I quit too,” Zelda said, and then her eyes darted to her cigarette and a rueful smile tweaked her lips. Lilith’s heart stuttered. “Well, I had.”

“Stress makes it hard to stick to it,” Lilith supplied. 

Zelda’s eyebrow arched and she pulled herself up a little higher, raising her chin defiantly. 

“Who says I’m stressed?”

“I meant me,” Lilith placated. Oh sure, you seem totally fine. No stress in those shoulders at all. 

“Oh.” Zelda gave her a once over and then a slightly apologetic look passed over her face. “Because of Velma? That’s only temporary though, right?”

“Right,” Lilith replied, pursing her lips. Ouch. “Anyway, I didn’t mean to interrupt you, so I’ll just go ahead and get inside.”

“I didn’t…” Zelda paused, frustration creasing her brow. She seemed to debate her next words carefully, before sighing. “Yes. I’ll see you in there.”

Lilith turned and headed back out onto the street, her shoulders bunched up against the cool that had settled over her during the interaction. Zelda had seemed unsure of how to talk to her, what to say and had looked quite uncomfortable when she had upset Lilith with the comment about her only being temporary. Still, it didn’t help the way Lilith had felt at the comment. Sure, she knew it was only temporary, but to have her stress waved away as though it were nothing like that…

Lilith mentally shook herself as she climbed the stairs to the studio. It wouldn’t do to dwell on it. She had disturbed Zelda and it wasn’t like they’d spoken to each other at all until yesterday. Why would the woman be comfortable around her? She was always so reserved and aloof anyway. And why did Lilith care what she thought? 

She strode into the studio and put her bag down. Okay, so she cared what Zelda thought. That just meant that today, she’d show her exactly what Lilith was capable of in this role. Then they’d see what Zelda Spellman thought of her. 

The burn of determination in her stomach, Lilith began to stretch. Faustus appeared through the door, spotting her for once, and nodded at her. 

“Good, you’re here. We’re going through all of the numbers with Velma in them today. I want you up to speed in case your replacement is hard to find.”

Lilith arched an eyebrow and nodded, which seemed to catch him off guard. 

“I’m ready.”

“Sure of yourself today, aren’t you?” He said and Lilith ignored the way the words crawled down her spine like something unpleasant. “Well, we’ll start with All That Jazz to make sure you haven’t forgotten what we did yesterday, then Cell Block and so on, alright?”

“Alright,” Lilith replied, standing. “Looking forward to it.”

“Sure,” he said dryly, before setting himself up at the table he usually occupied at the front. Lilith continued stretching, running through lyrics in her head. When the door opened again, she glanced up, seeing Zelda appearing, still wrapped up in the coat she’d been wearing outside. Faustus glanced over and then his eyes stayed fixed to her. “Zelda, you’re here early.”

“I couldn’t sleep; no point in sitting at home waiting to come in,” she replied dismissively and then her eyes darted to Lilith. “Besides, I thought that if you were going through Velma numbers you might need me.”

“We’re going through in order,” Faustus informed her as Lilith bent down to touch her toes, ignoring them both. She felt the familiar stretch in her calves and breathed in deeply. “But how about you stretch and we’ll see how quickly she can get through them?”
Lilith rolled her eyes, grateful that she wasn’t looking at them. 

“Alright Faustus, if you think that’s best.”

Lilith stood, catching Zelda as she slid off the coat she had been wearing, folding it neatly. Underneath, she was wearing tight black leggings that cut off mid-calf and a loose black tank top, and Lilith’s eyes trailed over her for a second before she directed her attention back to Faustus. He was also looking at Zelda.

Lilith cleared her throat as she stepped into the centre and it brought his attention back to her; she pretended to not have noticed his wandering eyes. Asshole. 

They began going through the numbers. Lilith made it through All That Jazz without a hitch, and she did her best to ignore Zelda’s eyes, which she would occasionally feel on her. They moved onto Cell Block Tango, and Lilith thanked the stars that she’d always been obsessed with the part, and had therefore watched and learned every move that Mary had done during their rehearsals for the number. Faustus made two corrections, but he seemed to be begrudgingly pleased with her work and they moved on to ‘I can’t do it alone’. 

“Do you know the routine?” Faustus asked. 

“Most of it.”

His eyebrow rose. 

“Most of it?”

“I saw Mary do it a few times,” she shrugged as she picked up her water bottle to take a sip. “I pick things up quickly. I’m just missing the last verse worth of choreography.”

“We’ll see about that.” He turned to Zelda, who was sitting with her legs in a diamond, her head on her feet. “Zelda, grab your chair. We’ll see if she can impress you.”

Lilith swallowed as Zelda’s eyes flicked over to her. She took another gulp of water to mask her sudden bout of nerves, and put the bottle down, stretching her neck to the side. 

“I’m sure she can handle it,” Zelda’s voice surprised Lilith, and her eyebrow rose as she looked at the woman. “She’s done well so far.”

That was a different attitude to the one that she’d had outside. Perhaps it was because Zelda was in her element here and had on her professional mask. Lilith had caught her unawares outside. She tried to ignore the urge to shoot the woman a grateful smile for her praise and focused on rolling her head, easing the tension building in her neck. She really needed a massage. 

“Well, Lilith, that’s quite some praise from our star,” Faustus’ voice was just a little close to mocking for Lilith to be comfortable. “Let’s make sure you don’t let her down. Find your mark.” 

Lilith got ready, looking at Zelda, sitting on her chair and she felt the same thrill of excitement that she’d had the day before, performing Cell Block Tango. Another chance to have her undivided attention? 

Lilith’s smirk threatened to appear and she pushed it down. Well, maybe she would find out why those eyes had been so curious, after all. Thankful that she had taken off her trousers earlier, leaving her in the shorts and tights, she unwrapped the cardigan in preparation. She’d been getting too hot anyway. As she tossed it to her bag and returned to her mark, she turned her attention to Zelda and became Velma. 

Faustus pressed play on the music. 

“My sister and I had an act that couldn't flop. My sister and I were headed straight for the top.
My sister and I earned a thou a week at least,” Zelda’s eyebrow rose as Roxie showed interest for the first time and Lilith smirked. “Oh, sure! But my sister is now, unfortunately, deceased.”

She found herself amused as ‘Roxie’ feigned disinterest, all the while shooting glances over the top of the newspaper. 

“Oh, I know it's sad, of course, but a fact is still a fact. And now all that remains is the remains of a perfect double act!” She stepped forward and pulled down the newspaper, bringing Zelda’s face into view. Lilith cocked her eyebrow. “Roxie, do you know you are exactly the same size as my sister? Oh, you would fit in her wardrobe perfectly.”

She stepped back, opening her arms wide. 

“Look, why don't I just show you some of the act? Watch this.” Lilith stood in the centre, prepped. “Now you have to imagine this with two people. It's swell with two people.”

Lilith made it through the whole song without forgetting a move. She delighted in reacting with Zelda; asking Roxie what she thought half way through and seeing Zelda’s pink tongue as she blew an unimpressed raspberry only made her try harder, as though the woman herself was judging her. She had to pause at the last verse, not knowing the choreography and so she planted her feet firmly and belted the song out, determined to at least prove her voice was up to scratch. 

“Now, you've seen me goin' through it, it may seem there's nothin' to it. But I simply cannot do it… alooooooooooooooooooooone!”

Taking a risk, remembering the film version, Lilith took a little run and slid on her knees across the floor, stopping in front of Zelda, panting, her hands out to her side with palms facing the woman, fingers splayed; her eyes fixed on the other woman. Zelda blinked and inhaled softly, staring down at her, pulled from her character. 

Lilith’s chest rose and fell and then her lip curled into a grin. Zelda’s lips twitched. 

“Well, that was acceptable.” Faustus’ voice broke through Lilith’s focus on the woman in front of her and she sagged a little, back onto her heels, and looked at it. “We need to fix that ending though. I’ll have Prudence go through it with you.”

He checked his watch. 

“They should be here soon anyway. Take a break, get a drink. Fresh air. Whatever.”

With that, he picked up his phone and walked out, already dialling a number. Lilith looked around at Zelda, who was looking after Faustus. Her head turned however and her eyes flicked over Lilith’s face before she stood. Lilith dropped her eyes to the floor and made to get up herself, when a soft, graceful hand appeared in front of her. She glanced up again and saw Zelda raise her eyebrow. 

Lilith wiped her hand quickly on her thigh and took the offered hand, making sure to not put too much weight on Zelda as she climbed to her feet. 

“Thank you.”

Zelda inclined her head. 

“You…” she hesitated, “did well.”

Lilith studied her and then shot her a lazy grin. 

“So did I impress you?”

“What?” Zelda murmured. Then recognition dawned in her eyes. “Oh. Faustus doesn’t really care about my opinion. He just says things like that sometimes.”

Lilith was about to ask why when she realised that her hand was still in Zelda’s. The other woman seemed to realise at the same time, because she pulled back as though Lilith had bitten her, playing it off with an embarrassed half-smile. She stepped away and went to her bag, crouching down to rummage through it. Lilith tore her eyes away and went to her own bag, grabbing her water. 

“I’m going for a smoke,” Zelda said from behind her. Lilith turned. Zelda seemed to be hesitating. The silence stretched and then she turned and left, leaving Lilith wondering what she had wanted to say. 

She swigged some of her water and checked her phone. Nothing much new except a few emails and instagram notifications. Dropping her phone into her bag, Lilith decided to go and refill the bottle to the top, since she didn’t know when she’d next get a chance.

Opening the door, she spotted a group of dancers, including Agatha, Roz and Harvey, huddled around in a circle a little way down the corridor. She headed over. 

“Well if anyone can survive her it’s Lil.” Agatha said.

“Lilith versus the High Priestess? That I’d pay to see,” Harvey crowed. 

Lilith gritted her teeth and sped up the last few steps. 

“Hey, will you pack that in?” She hissed. “Get in the damn studio and leave her alone.”

Agatha and Roz looked at her surprised. 

“Lilith, hey, we weren’t saying anything bad…”

“I heard what you were saying.” Lilith sighed. “Just, go easy will you? She’s not that bad.”

They exchanged looks, shrugged and started to head inside. The other dancers began whispering as soon as they passed her and Lilith gritted her teeth again. 

“Hey, we really didn’t mean anything by it,” Agatha said. 

“I’ll see you inside,” Lilith replied, before relenting. “I know you don’t but just...you know?”

“Alright,” Agatha shrugged, and then a sly smile crossed her face. “She’s done a number on you, hasn’t she? Have you got another show crush?”

Lilith rolled her eyes and scowled; the pair giggled and headed into the studio. Lilith focused on filling her water bottle, and it was only when she turned that she found a small child sitting on the seats, having previously been hidden by the dancers. The kid was looking at her from under blonde hair with watery eyes. 

Lilith glanced around, but saw no one that the child could be with. Grimacing slightly, she knelt down in front of her; kids didn’t usually warm to her that much. 

“Hey, are you okay?” The little girl swung her legs and shrugged. “Are your parents here?”
“They’re dead.”

Lilith froze, feeling her throat constrict. 

“Uhm… ok. I’m sorry. Are you here with someone?”

The little girl nodded. Lilith looked around again. Still, no one. She chewed her lip, debating about what to do. 

“They were being mean.” Lilith looked back to the little girl. 

“Who were?”

“Those people.” She pointed after the dancers that had gone into the studio. 

“Oh…” Lilith debated what to say. “To you?”

“No,” the girl shook her head hard. “About Auntie Zee.”

Lilith’s brain short circuited. 

“Auntie… Zelda is your Auntie?” The little girl nodded so much that Lilith was afraid her head might fall off. “Oh. Wow. You’re here with her?”

“No, with Auntie Hildie. She went to find Auntie Zee. We brought her lunch.” The girl reached forward and put her hand on Lilith’s cheek, making the woman freeze. “You told them off for saying nasty things.”

“I… uhm…”

“Sabrina!” A warm British voice came from behind Lilith, who shifted away from the little girl’s hand to see a blonde woman hurrying over. “I’m so sorry, I couldn’t find… what’s the matter darling?”

She had spotted that, the little girl, Sabrina still looked a little teary and her eyes slipped warily to Lilith, who stood up. 

“She was upset; I was keeping her company until you came back,” Lilith explained at the same time as Sabrina said:

“Some people were talking about Auntie Zee but this lady told them off.”

Lilith shifted uncomfortably as the woman studied her. Then she smiled. 

“Well, that’s very nice of you, dear.” She held out her hand. “I’m Hilda, Zelda’s sister.”

“Pleasure,” Lilith shook her hand. “I, uh… better get back inside.”

She gestured over her shoulder with her thumb. 

“Oh, of course. Can’t keep you from your rehearsal.”

“If Zelda’s in there, I’ll tell her you’re here,” Lilith offered. “But she did go out for a smoke so she’s probably on her way back inside.”

“Thank you.” Hilda’s smile was so warm that Lilith was having a hard time comparing her to Zelda. She wondered if, behind closed doors, Zelda’s smile was as brilliant and bright as her sister’s was. 

“Yes, thank you!” Sabrina said from right next to Lilith's leg. She started and looked down. 

“You’re welcome,” she offered her a smile. “It was nice to meet you, Sabrina. Don’t worry about what those people said, okay? I won’t let them do it again.”

“Okay!” Sabrina gave her a grin that seemed almost too big for her little face and Lilith couldn’t help but smile a little more softly as she stepped away from them and headed back into the studio. 

Zelda wasn’t inside, but she did reappear ten minutes later with Faustus holding the door open for her. Lilith smiled when she saw a lunch bag in her hands, which Zelda stowed in her bag as the rehearsal began again. 

Hours later, during a break, Lilith was starting to wonder if Faustus was attempting to break her. He had worked her so hard that she thought she might find her feet ripped to shreds when she took off her heels. Sweat clung to her and she was grateful that she had worn a sleeveless leotard. She grabbed at her water bottle and swigged it gratefully. 

“Lilith,” Agatha nudged her. “You’re doing so good.”

“Thanks,” Lilith grinned, wiping herself down with her towel. “I feel like I’m barely keeping up.”

“No, seriously, you’re doing amazing.” Roz appeared behind her, throwing an arm around her shoulders. “Who knew you were so sexy?”

“Oh please,” Agatha scoffed. “We’ve all been out to bars with her; we know she’s sexy.”

“Yeah but this is like ‘Chicago’ sexy. I mean, imagine when she gets in fishnets and…” Roz trailed off as Lilith elbowed her, chuckling. 

“You can all shut up. But I appreciate it, thank you.”

“Faustus is riding you though,” Agatha hissed, lowering her voice. “When he’s not checking you and the High… Zelda, out.”

“What about the High Priestess?” Dorcas, a girl that was more Agatha’s friend than Lilith’s, leaned in. Lilith shot her a look. 

“Lilith doesn’t like that name,” Agatha nudged her. “I think it’s because she’s got a crush.”

They all looked at Lilith who rolled her eyes. 

“Please, I do not like her like that.”

“She doesn’t like British Bitch either…” Agatha began telling Dorcas but then she trailed off; eyes flicking behind Lilith who turned in time to see Zelda standing there, her eyebrow raised, a cold look in her eyes. She pursed her lips and headed to the door, flicking her hair over her shoulder. 

“Shit,” Roz hissed. “Looks like you’re on her list now Aggie.”

“Fucking great.” Agatha groaned.

Lilith could only stare after Zelda as the door shut behind her. She felt cold. She’d finally managed to speak to the woman, had a chance to perform with her and now she might think that Lilith had something to do with those nicknames. That she believed them.

“Lilith?”

“What?” She snapped, turning back around to face the others, who started. 

“Jeez, calm down. It’s not like you said it and besides, you said you don’t think it’s going to be long until they replace you, so you don’t have to worry about her tripping you up in a dance or something.”

“I told you to fucking drop the names!”

She slipped out of Roz’s arm and headed for the door to chase after Zelda, or get some air, she wasn’t sure which, but Faustus stopped her. 

“Woah, where do you think you’re going? Break is over Lilith.”

Gritting her teeth, Lilith headed back into the centre. 

Zelda hadn’t looked at her for the rest of the rehearsal and Lilith was getting more and more frustrated by the fact. She hadn’t had anything to do with the names and the idea that Zelda thought she had was eating at her. It shouldn’t matter that much, but for some reason it did. Maybe it was little Sabrina’s face earlier, when she’d heard them all talking about her Aunt like that. 

When rehearsal ended, Lilith grabbed her bag and chased after Zelda, who appeared to be attempting to leave as quickly as possible, while everyone else milled around, talking about getting a drink or what they were going to do when they got home. Lilith heard Agatha calling after her as the door to the studio closed and she managed to slip between the lift doors as they were closing. 

Zelda eyed her coolly, but pressed the button for the ground floor. Lilith chewed her lip, adjusting her bag and then took a breath. 

“About earlier…”

“Please, do you think I care what people think of me?” Zelda’s tone was clipped, suggesting that she cared more than she wanted to let on. She slid her hands into leather gloves and threw an arched eyebrow at Lilith. “Do try and get a little more creative though. It’s hardly the first time I’ve heard British Bitch.”

The lift stopped and the doors opened; Zelda stepped towards them.

“I don’t use that,” Lilith bit back, irritated. 

“No?” Zelda swivelled on her heel and snapped. Lilith was momentarily stunned by how glorious she looked when she was angry, with her hair glowing from the sunlight behind her and her chin held high. “Which name do I have you to thank for then?”

Lilith opened her mouth to fire back, but both women were suddenly distracted as a tiny blonde girl collided with Zelda’s legs. 

“Auntie Zee!”

Little Sabrina looked up at her Aunt with big, happy eyes, holding her hands up to indicate that she wanted to be picked up. Zelda glanced back at Lilith before leaning down and doing as the girl wanted, resting her on her hip. 

“Hello Sabrina,” she murmured, and her voice was so soft that Lilith almost didn’t recognise it. “Have you had a good day?”

“Yes thank you!” Sabrina grinned. Lilith realised that the doors were about to shut and quickly shifted out of the lift and into the little girl’s vision. Her eyes lit up and she waved. “Hi!”
“Come on, Sabrina,” Zelda said sharply, turning. “We should find your Aunt Hilda and head home.”

“But that’s the nice lady I told you about!” Sabrina pouted and Zelda stalled, turning to look at Lilith, who shifted on her feet. 

“Are you sure?” Zelda asked her niece. 

“Yep!”

“Hi Sabrina,” Lilith offered the child a small smile and a wave, which was returned vigorously. 

“See I told you, Auntie Zee!”

Hilda appeared then, wagging her finger at Sabrina. 

“Now then, missy, I told you not to run off without me.”

“But Auntie Hildie, I saw Auntie Zee, and look, the nice lady!” 

Hilda looked over and smiled when she saw Lilith, who gave her a grin back. Zelda was looking a little puzzled, still holding onto Sabrina, although the child was now squirming to be let down. 

“Hello again dear… I never did quite get your name,” Hilda smiled. 

“Lilith,” she supplied, stepping forward. “It’s nice to see you again.”

She looked at Zelda, who was now frowning at her, as though she were a puzzle she hadn’t figured out yet. Lilith wasn’t sure how she felt about the look, but she did feel the warmth spreading across the back of her neck that appeared to be connected to it. 

“We met earlier,” Hilda explained to her sister, seeing her confusion. “She was comforting Sabrina after… well… she got a little upset.”

“Because those people were saying nasty things!” Sabrina complained. 

“Yes, dear, I know,” Hilda shushed her gently. “And Lilith told them off and told you not to worry, didn’t she?”

Sabrina nodded emphatically. Lilith felt the heat spreading to her cheeks and decided it was time to leave. 

“Well, it was good to see you but, ah… time for me to head home to my shower. See you again sometime?”

“Oh, yes, if you have to. Hopefully we’ll see you if Zelda forgets her lunch again.”

Lilith offered a little chuckle, glancing at Zelda, before offering them all a wave and heading towards the door. Out in the cold air, she sucked in a breath. 

Damn, what a day. 

Chapter 3: Dinner

Summary:

Zelda is a little thrown by Lilith, and Faustus is his usual 'charming' self. Hilda is an awesome sister.

Chapter Text

Zelda inhaled her cigarette, held it for a second, and then let the smoke out, sending it spiralling into the air. 

Her feet ached, and the day hadn’t even begun. 

Zelda flicked some of the ash off of her cigarette onto the floor and sighed. She’d had a difficult morning with Sabrina, who wasn’t happy that her Auntie was spending another day without her. Then she’d been in such a rush to get to her morning yoga class that she’d left her lunch behind. Now she was early for rehearsal and using the time to smoke without witnesses. 

She knew she should give it up, but things had been so stressful for… well, the last few years really, and now that she was in a new show, old habits had been so easily picked up again. 

Lost in thought, she started when the small gate to the alley opened and her space was invaded. 

“Hey, I was wondering if… Oh.”

Zelda frowned.

“Oh… it’s you.”

 Who could forget those eyes, or that bone structure? Lilith, who had been plucked from the chorus by Faustus to play Velma while he searched for Mary’s replacement. She made a mental note to send Mary some flowers. Perhaps chocolates? 

“Lilith.” The woman’s expression dropped slightly as she confirmed her name, and Zelda felt a twinge of guilt mixed with irritation. 

“I remember,” Zelda replied, flicking ash from the end of her cigarette and then lifting it to her lips to inhale again. Lilith’s tongue flicked out to wet her lips and her eyes followed the cigarette. Is that why she was here? “Can I help you?”

“I was going to ask to bum a smoke,” Lilith replied, confirming Zelda’s suspicions. “But I think I’m just going to head inside. I quit a while ago and I should really try and stick to that.”

Zelda felt the familiar blanket of disappointment settle over her. She was used to the chorus not wanting to spend time with her, and she had actively started putting that space between them, because if it was her decision then it couldn’t hurt her. That was the idea anyway. But every so often she’d be reminded that she was an outsider. Still… perhaps she had been a little stand-offish. This woman was her new scene partner; she should make an effort. 

“I quit too,” Zelda said, and then her eyes darted to her cigarette and she smiled a little. “Well, I had.”

“Stress makes it hard to stick to it,” Lilith said, and Zelda felt the shiver of irritation run down her spine. She straightened, raising her chin defiantly. 

“Who says I’m stressed?”

“I meant me,” Lilith replied, her voice placating, although Zelda could see that she was eyeing her rigid posture with a raised eyebrow. 

“Oh.” Zelda gave her a once over and then tried hard to convey an apology via a look. “Because of Velma? That’s only temporary though, right?”

“Right,” Lilith replied, pursing her lips. Zelda winced inwardly, realising how her last attempt at empathy might have come across. “Anyway, I didn’t mean to interrupt you, so I’ll just go ahead and get inside.”

“I didn’t…” Zelda paused. She wasn’t good at this; it frustrated her. With her sister Hilda as a shining example of how to be able to talk to anyone, Zelda had always failed miserably. She could put on a mask for fans, act for the stage, but one on one, being her real self? Zelda knew she wasn’t easy to get to know. Most didn’t even try. 

She realised that Lilith was still waiting for the end of her sentence and swallowed. 

“Yes. I’ll see you in there.”

Lilith turned away and left her standing there, the cigarette almost finished, and a reminder of how lonely she was settling in the pit of her stomach. Zelda wrapped her arm around her waist, holding herself, and took one more drag of the cigarette before flicking it onto the floor and extinguishing it with her shoe.

Momentarily, she debated another to stave off the gnawing anxiety threatening to take over, but checking her watch, she saw the time and shook her head. Taking a deep breath instead, she headed out of the gate and towards the front door. 

***

When Zelda pushed through the rehearsal door, Faustus glanced over and then his eyes stayed fixed to her, lingering. 

“Zelda, you’re here early.”

“I couldn’t sleep; no point in sitting at home waiting to come in,” she lied. Her eyes darted to Lilith; she wasn’t going to admit that she wanted to see if the woman was up for the role, because she was nervous about being without a Velma just one month before previews. “Besides, I thought that if you were going through Velma numbers you might need me.”

“We’re going through in order,” Faustus replied, drawing her eyes away from Lilith, who was stretching. “But how about you stretch and we’ll see how quickly she can get through them?”

Zelda winced slightly; his tone made it clear that he didn’t think Lilith could cope. She wondered why; the day before, the woman’s performance in the Cell Block Tango had been a stand out… not that they’d gotten far into that before the bombshell about Mary had been dropped. 

“Alright Faustus, if you think that’s best.”

Zelda slipped off her coat, folding it carefully. She rolled her shoulders, shaking off the ache in them and then heard Lilith clear her throat behind her, signalling she was ready. 

Zelda stretched, but her eyes wandered, considering Lilith’s performance carefully. ‘All That Jazz’ was polished, strong and Lilith seemed to command the room. If Zelda hadn’t known better, she’d have assumed that Lilith had been the lead all this time and not Mary. The unease she had been feeling since the day before began to relax. 

Cell Block Tango was even more surprising; Zelda knew that Lilith hadn’t rehearsed it the day before so her ability to not only do the routine but truly perform it took her breath away. She missed a step, changed the tone on a line of the song, but other than that; perfection. 

Zelda began to wonder what Lilith had been doing buried in the chorus to begin with. She was clearly a star. 

“I can’t do it alone, next.” Faustus instructed. Lilith glanced at Zelda as she headed to her bag. “Do you know the routine?”

“Most of it.”

Zelda raised her eyebrow. Where had this woman come from? Such confidence all of a sudden, as if she was staking her claim on the role. From what Zelda had seen so far, she might deserve it. She placed her legs in a diamond shape and leaned down, resting her head on her feet, to stop herself from staring at the woman more. 

“Most of it?” Faustus questioned Lilith. 

“I saw Mary do it a few times,” Zelda heard Lilith respond casually. “I pick things up quickly. I’m just missing the last verse worth of choreography.”

“We’ll see about that. Zelda,” Zelda looked up, startled from her musing, “grab your chair. We’ll see if she can impress you.”

Zelda glanced over at Lilith. Impress her? She’d already done that. The statement seemed to have thrown Lilith, however, and she looked nervous as she avoided Zelda’s gaze. 

“I’m sure she can handle it,” Zelda replied, apparently surprising Lilith, whose head snapped round to face her. “She’s done well so far.”

“Well, Lilith, that’s quite some praise from our star,” Faustus’ voice was just a little close to mocking and Zelda shifted uncomfortably. “Let’s make sure you don’t let her down. Find your mark.” 

Zelda grabbed her chair and sat down as Lilith dropped her bottle. A hint of a smirk ghosted her lips and Zelda found herself wondering what the woman was thinking. It was gone so fast that she wasn’t sure she hadn’t imagined it. 

She glanced at Faustus, who was studying Lilith. Was he considering giving her the role? He raised an eyebrow and his eyes shifted; Zelda glanced back to Lilith. 

Oh. 

Lilith was dropping the cardigan she had been wearing, revealing arms which should never be covered. Toned, muscles arms that made Zelda swallow thickly against the sudden dryness of her throat. She glanced down, dusting some imaginary lint from her leggings, not wanting to be caught staring. Goodness… 

Faustus pressed play on the music. 

“My sister and I had an act that couldn't flop. My sister and I were headed straight for the top.
My sister and I earned a thou a week at least,” Zelda’s eyebrow rose as Roxie showed interest for the first time and Lilith smirked in response. Zelda felt her lips attempt to twitch, and quickly pulled the mask of Roxie back over her face. “Oh, sure! But my sister is now, unfortunately, deceased.”

Zelda found it so easy to be curious as Roxie when Lilith was performing. It was hard to look away from the woman; something about her was so captivating. Zelda felt herself getting drawn in, in a way that she hadn’t when Mary had performed. 

Lilith didn’t know the last verse's worth of choreography as she’d said, but she belted the song out with vigour and passion; Zelda watched impressed. 

“Now, you've seen me goin' through it, it may seem there's nothin' to it. But I simply cannot do it… alooooooooooooooooooooone!”

Glancing over at Zelda, Lilith took a little run and slid on her knees across the floor, stopping in front of her, panting, her hands splayed to the side. Zelda felt her lips part, taken by surprise. She stared into Lilith’s eyes, partially to avoid being caught trailing her eyes over the woman, but mostly because Lilith’s eyes were… well. Zelda wasn’t sure how she hadn’t noticed before. She knew the woman was beautiful, not in the traditional sense, but a truly rare beauty made from incredible bone structure and unique features. But those eyes...

Lilith’s chest rose and fell and then her lip curled into a grin. Zelda’s lips twitched; she felt them wanting to respond. How long had it been since that had happened?

“Well, that was acceptable.” Faustus’ voice broke through the moment and Zelda watched as Lilith sagged back onto her heels, deflating. Her heart sank a little.  “We need to fix that ending though. I’ll have Prudence go through it with you.”

Zelda looked over at Faustus as he checked his watch. 

“They should be here soon anyway. Take a break, get a drink. Fresh air. Whatever.”

Faustus left and Zelda let her eyes linger on the door. Perhaps she should speak to him about Lilith; she was so talented. She could be a good Velma; there might be no need for a replacement. The less chaos, the better. She glanced back to Lilith. Yes, she’d speak to him. She stood with the decision in mind, and Lilith dropped her eyes to the floor. Zelda held out her hand, and when Lilith looked at her in surprise, she raised her eyebrow. 

Lilith wiped her hand quickly on her thigh and Zelda’s lips twitched again, amused at the thoughtfulness. Lilith’s arm flexed as she took Zelda’s hand and Zelda breathed in slowly, trying to settle her nerves. Lilith’s hand was slightly sweaty still, but strong, a little rough but mostly soft, and warm. 

“Thank you,” she said and Zelda inclined her head. 

“You…” she hesitated. What? Were amazing? Spectacular? … are stunning? She shook that thought off. “Did well.”

Lilith studied her closely and then a grin tweaked her lips. 

“So did I impress you?”

“What?” Zelda murmured, lost in that mischievous look in her eyes. Then her brain kicked itself back to earth. “Oh. Faustus doesn’t really care about my opinion. He just says things like that sometimes.”

Zelda glanced down at the same time Lilith did, realising she was still gripping Lilith’s hand. Embarrassed to have forgotten herself, she snatched her hand back and offered Lilith a small smile. She stepped away, hiding the blush on her neck and cheeks by rummaging in her bag. She needed a cigarette. Finding the box, she turned. Lilith was rummaging in her own bag. Zelda took a moment to admire the muscle tone in her legs, before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. 

“I’m going for a smoke,” Zelda said. She paused, almost hoping that Lilith would ask to join her. When the woman waited for her to finish, Zelda wondered if she should offer an invitation. Her mind flashed back to their meeting earlier and she restrained herself. Lilith was trying to quit and she shouldn’t encourage her. 

Breaking eye contact, she headed out of the room, feeling those eyes following her exit. 

Pushing through the door to the outside, Zelda almost walked into Faustus, who caught her arms, steadying her. 

“Zelda.” He glanced down at the pack in her hand as he released her arms slowly. “I didn’t know you still smoked.”

“Only occasionally. I should quit, but who has the time?” 

He chuckled and she offered him a polite smile. 

“Mind if I join you?”

“You smoke?” She raised her eyebrow, surprised. 

“Only occasionally.”

She was sure that he’d meant to come across as charming, parroting her words, but he only made her feel on edge. Still, she couldn’t think of a reason to decline, and it would give her a chance to talk to him about Lilith. 

“Of course.” She opened the pack and handed him a cigarette before collecting her own and slipping it between her lips. Covering the end with her hand, she lit it with the lighter and then handed it over to Faustus. As he lit his and coughed on his first inhale, she stepped around the building, out of the wind that had picked up. 

“So,” Faustus started, joining her and leaning against the wall next to her. “I’ve got a few possible leads on a star, so you shouldn’t have to worry for much longer.”

“Actually,” Zelda replied slowly as she exhaled, “Lilith is surprisingly talented, don’t you think?”

“She’s alright, for a chorus girl.”

“That’s a shame,” Zelda continued. He seemed to have something against Lilith, but Zelda wasn’t deterred. She could get him to change his mind; she was sure. “What a story too, for the media I mean. ‘Faustus Blackwood saves the show by plucking talented performer from the chorus and making her a star’; that sort of thing always does wonders when awards come around. But you know best, of course.”

And really, what was it to her? Lilith was talented, yes, but so were other people. Still, there was something about the woman…

Faustus seemed pulled into thought and, not wanting to distract him, Zelda took solace in the peace, dragging at her cigarette. 

When Faustus emerged from his thoughts, Zelda was almost finished, and contemplating how to politely excuse herself to return inside. 

“Well, I had better-“

“Zelda, have you seen that there’s a new restaurant opening this evening? The Greendale?”

Zelda stiffened slightly. 

“I hadn’t, no.” 

“Well, I happen to have reservations for tomorrow evening, after the initial hustle and bustle has died down, and I wondered if you would like to accompany me?”

Zelda’s back straightened even further, but Faustus didn’t seem to notice her discomfort, or didn’t care. 

“Is this a meeting, Faustus?”

He studied her for a moment and then raised an eyebrow. 

“Of course.”

She didn’t trust the way he said it, as though patting her on the hand to reassure her. 

“Who else will be there?” 

“Does there have to be anyone else there for it to be a meeting?” He grinned and then, noticing Zelda’s less than enthusiastic response, it wavered. “Of course the producers will be there. We want to discuss you, our star.”

Zelda mulled it over. If the producers really were going to be there, then she would be foolish to decline. Something pulled at her stomach; doubt. Faustus was married, but something in the way that he always responded to her presence made her think that the ring around his finger didn’t always bind him to his wife. Of course, he had always had a thing for her, ever since they’d worked on their first show together. She’d been younger then, revelling in the lights of the London West End...

“I’ll check at home and let you know,” she offered with a small smile. “With Sabrina in the house, Hilda and I are taking turns. I don’t want to say yes and then have to let you and the producers down.”

“Of course,” Faustus said in that same placating tone that set her teeth on edge. “Balancing work and family; you do it so well.”

Zelda inclined her head and then motioned that she was heading back in. 

“I should…”

“I’ll come back in with you,” he flicked the cigarette, which he’d barely had down on the ground and crushed it with his shoe. Zelda walked ahead, gritting her teeth. What a waste of a cigarette. 

***

“Hilda? Sabrina?” Zelda managed to escape Faustus’ dry conversation when she spotted her family waiting on the seats outside of the rehearsal studio. Smiling, she hurried over. 

Sabrina’s eyes were a little puffy and she dropped to her knees in front of her, concern wiping the smile from her face. 

“Hello Zelda love.”

“Hi Auntie Zee.”

“What happened sweetheart? Are you okay?”

Sabrina nodded, offering her a smile. 

“We brought you lunch, Auntie Zee.” Sabrina picked up a bag from the seat and thrust it towards her and Zelda smiled, peeking inside. 

“Thank you darling, that’s very sweet of you.” She leaned in to drop a kiss on Sabrina’s forehead, making the girl squirm and giggle. “So why have you been crying?”

“Oh she heard something she didn’t like. Everything is okay now though.” Hilda brushed it off and Zelda narrowed her eyes slightly. She knew when her sister was trying to hide something. Fortunately, Sabrina had never been very good at hiding anything. 

“Yeah, those dancers were being mean Auntie Zee, but the nice lady told them off.”

“Someone was being mean to you?” Zelda’s jaw clenched as she glared, ready to stride into the studio and rip the dancers apart. 

“No, love, not about Sabrina.” Hilda put a hand on her shoulder and gave her that look. Zelda inhaled. 

“Oh. They were talking about me?” She turned her head back to Sabrina, who nodded vigorously. Zelda gritted her teeth, and pulled her expression back to a comforting one. “Well, darling, you know that sometimes people say things that are hurtful. But we don’t have to listen to them, do we?”

Sabrina shook her head. 

“Sabrina made a new friend, didn’t you?” Hilda said, stroking the girl’s hair. “Why don’t you tell Aunt Zee what happened?”

“They were being mean, but then the nice lady came and told them to stop. They went away and then she saw me and talked to me, and said she wouldn’t let them do it again.” Sabrina spoke a mile a minute, and Zelda blinked.

Someone had defended her?

“Who?” 

“We didn’t get her name, did we Sabrina?” Hilda smiled. “But she had to be one of the cast; she was dressed like-”

“-I hate to interrupt,” Faustus’ voice came from behind Zelda and she started, having forgotten that he had even been with her. “But rehearsal is about to restart and I’m going to need my star.”

“Oh, of course, my apologies Faustus.” She turned back to Sabrina and her sister. “I have to go, but I’ll see you afterwards?”

“Dinner?”

“Yes sweetheart,” Zelda dropped a kiss on Sabrina’s head as she stood up. “We’ll all have dinner together.”

“Have a good rehearsal,” Hilda smiled, standing too and taking Sabrina’s hand. “We’ll be here at six.”

“Thank you, Hilda.” Zelda offered her a gentle smile before she allowed Faustus to lead her back into the room. 

***

She had been momentarily foolish. Stupid. Letting that little twinkle of hope settle in that perhaps she had someone in her corner, someone that she could be friendly with… perhaps even friends. 

Zelda stared at her reflection in the bathroom mirror, refusing to let the threatening tears fall. Anyone could walk in and she wouldn’t allow them to see her that way. 

“She doesn’t like British Bitch either…”

Zelda gritted her teeth and clenched her hands into fists on the counter. 

Going up to Lilith, thinking she might have been Sabrina’s nice lady, had been a mistake. She’d clearly been mistaken about the woman; just another chorus girl who hated her without bothering to get to know her. Surrounded by her friends, discussing her like that. The look of surprise and guilt on Lilith’s face had been all the confirmation Zelda had needed; caught in the act. 

How had she lowered her guard so quickly and efficiently that this hurt? They’d been working together for months, but they’d only spoken yesterday. It was ridiculous. 

It had to be because she’d been feeling vulnerable with Mary gone a month before previews. Lilith stepping in and being so good had been such a relief that Zelda had warmed to her without even realising. She’d lowered her guard and now she was being reminded of why she never did. 

Straightening, Zelda cleared her throat and raised her eyebrow. 

“Enough. Get back in there and do your job. That’s all you’re here for. You don’t need friends. You have your family. Get your head on straight, Zelda.”

***

She ignored practically everyone for the rest of rehearsal, which wasn’t hard given that she was never included in the chatter that filled breaks. She worked hard, kept to herself and didn’t look at Lilith once outside of their scenes together. 

When the rehearsal ended, Zelda made a swift exit. She wanted to see Hilda and Sabrina, have dinner and then possibly treat herself to a bath. Tomorrow they had a half day of rehearsals and she still had to decide what to do about Faustus and his dinner invitation. 

Of course, the doors of the lift didn’t close quite fast enough to keep out an intrusion; the last intrusion Zelda wanted. She gave Lilith one of her chilliest looks and resolved to ignore her for the short trip to the ground floor. She pressed the button and fixed her eyes on the doors. 

“About earlier…”

So peace and quiet was too much to ask for.

“Please, do you think I care what people think of me?” Zelda focused on putting on her gloves, throwing a look at Lilith as she appraised the woman. How could she be so brazen; to come after her even though she had heard what they’d been discussing? “Do try and get a little more creative though. It’s hardly the first time I’ve heard British Bitch.”

The lift stopped and the doors opened; Zelda stepped towards them, determined that that should be the end of the conversation.

“I don’t use that,” Lilith’s voice was sharp behind her. She sounded almost… offended?

“No?” Zelda swivelled on her heel and snapped at her, despite every part of her rational brain telling her that she shouldn’t show that she was upset. This woman meant nothing to her. And why was Lilith giving her… whatever that look was? “Which name do I have you to thank for then?”

Lilith opened her mouth, probably to gleefully tell her what names she had come up with, but Zelda’s attention was pulled away as she felt something collide with her leg, and looked down to see Sabrina grinning up at her. 

“Auntie Zee!”

Zelda glanced at Lilith, irritated that she would get to see this insight into her life. She turned to Sabrina and picked up the little girl, settling her onto her hip and feeling herself relax a little at her closeness. She longed to bury her face in the little girl’s hair and give her a thousand kisses, but she restrained herself, aware that there were eyes on her. 

“Hello Sabrina,” she murmured, turning away from Lilith slightly. “Have you had a good day?”

“Yes thank you!” Sabrina grinned happily. Then, her eyes were drawn over Zelda’s shoulder and Zelda grimaced as the innocent girl’s eyes lit up and she waved. “Hi!”

“Come on, Sabrina,” Zelda said sharply, turning further away, not bothering to look back at Lilith. “We should find your Aunt Hilda and head home.”

“But that’s the nice lady I told you about!” Sabrina pouted and Zelda foze, mid-step. She turned to look back at Lilith, who seemed to be hovering awkwardly. 

“Are you sure?” Zelda asked Sabrina, trying to guide the girl’s attention back to her. 

“Yep!” She sounded so sure and Zelda’s resolve waivered. 

“Hi Sabrina,” Lilith offered her a small smile and a wave, and Sabrina almost flung herself from Zelda’s grip trying to return it. 

“See I told you, Auntie Zee!”

Hilda appeared then, wagging her finger at Sabrina and Zelda relaxed a little. Her sister softly berated the child as Zelda tried to work out what was happening. Hilda was also greeting Lilith, which meant that Sabrina wasn’t mistaken. Her niece squirmed in her arms, but she clung to her, not ready for her to let go just yet. 

“Hello again dear… I never did quite get your name,” Hilda was smiling at her and Lilith was smiling back. What was happening? 

“Lilith,” she supplied, stepping forward. “It’s nice to see you again.”

Zelda frowned, studying the woman. Had she misread the situation in rehearsal? She didn’t see how that was possible, but Lilith wasn’t the one who had actually used the name… Lilith was looking at her curiously again. What did that look mean?

“We met earlier,” Hilda explained and Zelda snapped her attention away from Lilith. “She was comforting Sabrina after… well… she got a little upset.”

“Because those people were saying nasty things!” Sabrina complained, huffing out her cheeks. 

“Yes, dear, I know,” Hilda shushed her gently. “And Lilith told them off and told you not to worry, didn’t she?”

Sabrina nodded emphatically. Zelda’s mind whirled, until Lilith’s voice brought her attention back to her. 

“Well, it was good to see you but, ah… time for me to head home to my shower. See you again sometime?”

“Oh, yes, if you have to. Hopefully we’ll see you if Zelda forgets her lunch again.” Lilith let out a little chuckle, glancing at her, before offering them all a wave and heading towards the door. Zelda stared after her, until Hilda’s hand on her arm brought her back to the present. “Ready for dinner, Zelds?”

“Yes,” Zelda cleared her throat. “Of course.”

Hours later, lying in the bath with her aching feet propped up between the taps and a cigarette between her fingers, the smell mixing with the rose bubble bath mix that she favoured, Zelda ran over the day. 

She was almost certain that Faustus was lying, but if she went to dinner then she could politely decline future ones. If she declined this, he would only seek to reschedule. If he was lying about the producers attending, he’d be unable to use that lie again. She decided to agree. She could make polite small talk and Hilda could call her so that she could make excuses, if it turned out that she was correct about Faustus. 

She sighed, sinking further into the bubbles. 

Then there was the other issue. She’d tried not to think about it, but her mind wouldn’t stop going over every interaction with the woman. Every moment, every look. Lilith’s offensive at Zelda’s suggestion that she had other names that she was responsible for. Sabrina’s face lighting up when she saw the woman, when usually she didn’t warm to anyone outside of her family with ease. 

Zelda frowned, rubbing at the ache in her chest with her spare hand, and then took another drag of her cigarette. 

What was it about that woman? If she had told off people for calling her names and then comforted Sabrina, why would she then be a part of that behaviour later? And why would she then deny it so strenuously later, after being caught? It made no sense. Zelda’s head hurt. 

She put out the cigarette and closed her eyes, letting out a breath. Well, she’d always prided herself on being direct. She would just have to ask the woman the next time they had a moment. 

The matter settled, Zelda allowed herself a few moments of peace before climbing out of the bath and pulling out the plug, letting the day drain away. She toweled off and slipped on her blue satin night dress, before cleaning up her cigarette tray so that Sabrina wouldn’t find it in the morning. She headed to bed, sitting at her vanity and moisturising every inch of herself before slipping underneath the covers. 

She lay there for a while, staring up at the ceiling, going over the ‘Roxie’ number in her head, before she drifted to sleep. When Zelda woke the next morning, dreams of blue eyes lingered in her head, only to be ousted by her morning coffee. 

***

The rehearsal flew by and Zelda hadn’t had a chance to pull Lilith aside to talk. She didn’t want to do it in front of everyone; whether she was wrong or right she wouldn’t be exploring that with an audience. 

“Zelda,” Faustus called as rehearsal ended. She had her eyes on Lilith, intending to ask her to stay under the pretence of going over a part of the ‘Hot Honey Rag’ that they’d been reviewing as an excuse to broach the conversation, but Faustus waved her over. “Are you able to come to dinner tonight?”

“Yes, of course. I apologise, I forgot to tell you earlier. What time?”

“I could pick you up?”

“No, no, that’s fine, I’ll meet you there.”

“Eight o’clock then,” Faustus said, and the victory in his grin made Zelda certain that she had been right originally. Well, she would definitely be asking her sister to call her tonight. 

“I’ll see you all there,” she confirmed and then turned, scanning for Lilith. The woman was gone. Zelda cursed inwardly and grabbed her bag. Perhaps she could still catch her? 

She hadn’t and so she pulled her coat around her and headed to where her car was parked. Slipping inside, Zelda shook her head. Today was just an endless string of irritations. 

It got worse when she showed up at The Greendale that evening to find Faustus sitting alone. Suspicions confirmed, she still pretended to believe him when he told her that the producers had called last minute to cancel and that he’d known she’d already be on her way. Still, she sat through the first course, a soup that almost made his conversation palatable, and was part way through the main when he inched forward in his seat and put on his most affable smile. 

“Zelda, do you remember those times in London?”

Zelda did, but not with the favour that he seemed to have. 

“I remember a lot of things about London,” she replied. “So many shows, bright lights, after show dinners and parties. We were younger then.”

“We were indeed. Simpler times.” He laughed. “I remember one night in particular very fondly…”

Her phone rang and Zelda felt relief flood her as she saw Hilda’s name across the screen. 

“Excuse me Faustus. Sabrina wasn’t well before I left and I asked Hilda to let me know how she was doing.”

“Of course,” he replied. 

Zelda picked up the phone. 

“Hilda? Is Sabrina okay?”

“So it was just him then, I take it?” Hilda replied, sounding irritated. 

“A fever?”

“Ah, not a work meeting either then.”

“No of course not, I’m sure Faustus will understand.” Zelda glanced at Faustus with an apologetic smile. “Poor Sabrina, tell her I’ll be home soon.”

“Just say the word Zelds, I’ll send him one of my cakes stuffed with laxatives.”

Zelda had to stifle the snorting laughter that threatened quickly, pulling out her best urgent and upset face. 

“Thank you for calling, Hildie, I’ll be home soon.”

She hung up and turned to Faustus, who looked a little irritated. 

“Everything alright?”

“No, I’m afraid Sabrina has a high fever and is calling for me. I hope you don’t mind; family first as we said.”

“Of course not.”

“I’m sure Constance will be happy to have you home early,” she smiled. “Do send her my love, won’t you?”

“Of course. Do you need a ride?”

“No, no, thank you. I drove myself. I have my purse; I couldn’t possibly allow you to pay for a meal that I’d left in the middle of.”

“Don’t be silly, Zelda.” He said it through gritted teeth, clearly struggling to keep an affable smile on his face. “I invited you; dinner is on me.”

“Thank you Faustus.” She stood and collected her coat and bag, offering him another smile. “I’ll see you in rehearsal tomorrow then?”

“Yes, of course.”

Zelda allowed the relief to wash over her as she finally escaped and headed to her car down the street. Once she was safely inside, she called Hilda. 

“You’re free?”

“Yes, thank you again, Hilda.”

“Did he try anything?”

“No, but he brought up London, so I can’t guarantee he didn’t want a trip down memory lane.”

“Zelda, you should have protested when he was brought on as director.”

“It’s been years and he’s married; I thought we could be professional.”

“Faustus has never been professional, love.”

“Well, now I know where we stand. I’ll avoid anything like this in the future.”

“Good. Drive safe, I’ll see you at home. I’ll make you a nice cup of tea.”

“Thank you.”

Zelda put down the phone and sighed, then started  her car and pulled out onto the road to begin the drive home.

Chapter 4: Conversation

Summary:

Zelda asks Lilith outright and we meet Lucifer, who is every bit of the asshole you expect him to be.

Notes:

Well my darlings, I do hope you enjoy this! Let me know ;)

There's some asshole behaviour from both Faustus and Lucifer in this, just a warning.

Chapter Text

The wind was up, bitter cold, and Lilith wrapped herself in her trench coat instead of her usual leather jacket, and pulled on her favourite pair of soft leather gloves to match. Dipping half of her face into her scarf, she hurried down the street. 

No whiff of smoke greeted her outside and she wondered whether Zelda had yet to arrive, or had been too cold to brave the alley. 

Lilith paused at the door, closing her eyes briefly. She had promised herself after their elevator encounter that she wouldn’t think of Zelda, because it had been quite clear that the woman was hurt and wanted nothing to do with her or the truth of what had happened. But the day before, during their half day, she’d felt Zelda’s eyes on her and she had been sure that, had Faustus not summoned her, Zelda might have been planning to approach her at the end of rehearsal. It had left her feeling conflicted because she so wanted Zelda to speak to her and normally she wouldn’t waste her time after a confrontation like that. But there was something so… well… melancholy about Zelda, hidden under all of that talent, confidence and pride. The soft way that she had melted when Sabrina had appeared; cold, hard anger thawing to warm, protective love. 

“Uh, Lil?” Lilith started and realised that she had been standing in front of the studio door, lost in thought, for goodness knows how long. Agatha was beside her, her eyebrow raised in concern. “Are you okay?”

“Fine,” Lilith smiled and then remembered that she was still unhappy with Agatha. Her smile dropped and she opened the door, heading inside. 

“Lil, wait!”

“I hate when you call me that,” she hissed as Agatha caught up with her. Her friend had the good sense to look regretful. 

“I’m sorry for the other day. I hear you about the names; I really do. I won’t do it again and neither will the others. Promise.”

Lilith sighed and stopped mid-flight of stairs.

“It’s not me you have to apologise to. I know it was mainly Dorcas but we don’t even know Zelda.”

“She doesn’t act like she wants to get to know us, either,” Agatha pointed out before raising her hand in surrender when Lilith opened her mouth. “But you’re right, that doesn’t mean we can judge.”

Lilith hesitated but then smiled. 

“Alright. Thanks. Just… think about apologising, okay?”

“Okay,” Agatha smiled and looped her arm through Lilith’s. “So you’re still in for tonight, right?”

Lilith groaned. 

“Did I really agree to that?”

“Yes, you did. We’re going to celebrate.”

“There’s nothing to celebrate. He’s going to find a replacement. A proper one.”

“Still, you’re getting a taste of your dream role,” Agatah smiled as they reached the top of the stairs. “Not many people get this chance.”

“I know,” Lilith sighed. “Everything hurts but it’s still the best time of my career.”

“And we have tomorrow off, so you can celebrate properly.” Agatha gave her a little smirk and Lilith rolled her eyes, holding open the door for her friend. 

“I know what that look means, you know.”

“Oh, I’m sure you do…” Agatha trailed off. “Um, hi.”

“Lilith turned, coming face to face with Zelda Spellman. The red-head was waiting, almost hesitantly and Lilith was struck by how nervous she seemed. 

“Hello,” Zelda said, her voice low and gentle. Lilith arched her eyebrow; such a contrast from their last meeting when Zelda’s cold fury had chilled her. 

“Hi,” Lilith glanced at Agatha, who was staring at Zelda like she expected her to suddenly reveal fangs and lunge for her. She nudged her and looked back at Zelda, waiting for her to reveal why she’d deigned to come and talk to them. Lilith winced inwardly; okay, that had been a little harsh. But for some reason, the sting of Zelda’s anger still settled in her chest. 

“I was going to brave the weather for a cigarette. I know you’ve quit…” Zelda’s eyes flicked to Agatha again, who was now looking between them incredulously. “Is there a problem?”

“What? No. Um… I’ll just…” Agatha gave Lilith a last look and then hurried over to the window to drop her bag. Zelda turned back to Lilith. 

“I was wondering if you’d care to join me?”

“And why would I do that?” Lilith asked, shifting the bag on her shoulder. 

“Because,” Zelda’s jaw tightened, as though the next part pained her a little. “I think I may have reacted a little… rashly. And I wanted to talk over the events of the other day. Clear the air.”

Lilith’s eyebrow rose. That sounded suspiciously like an apology. 

“Um… sure. Let me just…” She gestured at her bag and Zelda nodded, looking a little relieved. Lilith dropped her bag to the side and then gestured for Zelda to lead the way. They headed outside again, and Lilith shivered as the blast of cold air hit her. They hurried into the alleyway, where at least the gate sheltered them. 

Zelda took out a pack of cigarettes from her coat pocket and a lighter. Her fingers, wrapped in tan leather, hooked one from the pack and then she looked at Lilith with a raised eyebrow. Lilith’s fingers itched. 

“I shouldn’t tempt you,” Zelda said, moving the pack towards her pocket. 

“Well… one will hardly throw me off the wagon.”

“Isn’t that exactly what it would do?” Zelda mused, her lips twitching. Lilith’s heart fluttered. 

“I’ll be breathing in your smoke anyway; this way you won’t be smoking alone.”

“I’ve never minded smoking alone,” Zelda replied, but it wasn’t a rebuke. She held out the pack and Lilith hooked one for herself. Zelda flicked the lighter and leaned in, sheltering them both from the wind. Lilith’s nose caught the faintest hint of rose before the cigarette lit and smoke curled. 

“Thank you,” Lilith said, before hooking the lighter from Zelda’s fingers and offering it to her, so that she could shield the cigarette with easier. 

“You’re welcome.” Zelda’s lips closed around the end of the cigarette and she took an inhale, then sent it spiralling into the air with a sigh. She glanced down at Lilith’s coat and then raised her eyebrow. “No biker girl look today?”

“Biker girl?” Lilith’s lips quirked. 

“The leather jacket. I’ve seen you wearing it most days.”

Zelda had paid attention to what she wore? Lilith shifted, taking in a drag to give herself time to formulate a response. 

“I’m afraid it just wasn’t up to the task of keeping me warm in this weather. But it is my favourite.”

Zelda nodded slowly, taking in the information and another drag of her cigarette, before sighing and turning where she leaned against the wall, facing Lilith properly. 

“Well, that’s enough small talk, don’t you think?”

Lilith raised her eyebrow at how brisk she had become, but shrugged. 

“If you like.”

“The other day, I accused you of using those names about me but Sabrina and Hilda assure me that you were the one to stop some of the chorus from using them. You can imagine that I might be a little… confused, as to how you could be both people.” She hesitated, looking at the floor for a moment before she seemed to gather herself. “I reacted badly and now I realise that you were trying to explain what had happened. If you haven’t been entirely put off by my reaction the other day, I would like to listen to it now.”

Lilith flicked her cigarette and considered her answer. 

“I think you accused me of creating some of them.” Zelda looked puzzled. “The names. I believe you asked which you could thank me for.”

Zelda’s jaw tightened. 

“Yes, I believe I did.”

“I would never do that.” Lilith took another drag of her cigarette and then shifted, leaning her shoulder on the wall to face her properly. “I told them off for using those names when they don’t even know you, yes. I didn’t know Sabrina was there, and I’m sorry she heard that. But they have promised never to do it again. I can’t speak for all of them; I’m only really close with Agatha and Roz. But the rest of them have worked with me before at one point or another; they know not to get on my bad side.”

“I…” Zelda chewed the inside of her cheek. “I don’t need a White Knight. You don’t know me, or owe me anything.”

“I wasn’t aware that being a decent person made me a White Knight,” Lilith replied, slipping a little teasing into her tone to lighten the mood. “It’s not a term usually associated with me.”
“No?” Zelda studied her and Lilith thought she looked a little… intrigued. “Then you aren’t expecting anything in return?”

“Can I be frank?” Lilith huffed. Zelda’s eyebrow rose but she nodded. 

“I prefer honesty.”

“So do I.” Lilith flicked some more ash away from them. “I’m not entirely sure why, given the way you acted the other day, but I quite like you. I think you’re talented and hard working and I have a feeling there’s a sense of humour under all that…”

She gestured at Zelda vaguely and watched as Zelda’s lips twitched again, although her brows were furrowed. Lilith continued.

“I didn’t defend you because of that. I defended you because it wasn’t right that they were talking about you like that, and when you heard Dorcas and Agatha saying what they did later, it was because Agatha was telling Dorcas to stop; that I didn’t like them using those names. But they are right about one thing; you make it quite clear that you don’t really want to associate with any of us in the chorus. It’s bound to make them feel like you think we’re beneath you.”

Zelda blinked and her jaw tightened. 

“I don’t think they’re beneath me.”

“Then why don’t you speak to anyone outside of your lines?”

“I’m talking to you, aren’t I?” Lilith could sense she was deflecting; Zelda looked practically uncomfortable. 

“Only since I stepped in for Mary. Stepped out of the chorus, briefly.”

Zelda’s nostrils flared and she stubbed out her cigarette on the brick of the wall before tossing it away and standing up straight. 

“If that’s what you think of me, I wonder why you came out here at all.”

“Because you looked like you were going to apologise.”

“Well I’m sorry to not meet your expectations of me.”

“Jeez, what is it with you?” Lilith asked, stubbing out her own cigarette and throwing it to the side. “Are you always on the defensive?”

Zelda opened her mouth to respond, then bit her tongue and turned away. Lilith watched her tight shoulders, the way she seemed to be gathering herself, and felt a twinge of guilt. Zelda seemed somehow smaller here, protecting herself from Lilith’s eyes. 

“I’m sorry,” she sighed. “It’s none of my business why you don’t want to talk to us. I just figured you’d appreciate knowing why they are the way they are, since you value honesty.”

She waited another moment but, receiving no answer, turned to go. 

“Thank you.”

“What?” Lilith stumbled and turned back to look at her. Zelda turned slowly and Lilith sucked in her breath, seeing that her eyes looked a little misty, as though she had just fought back tears. 

“I said, thank you. I appreciate you telling me. Perhaps I have been living too much in past experiences. I shall do my best to be more friendly to the cast.”

Lilith wanted to ask what she meant about the past, but had a feeling that it might be too much of an invasion when Zelda appeared to be emotional. 

“I… that would be good. Thank you.” She hesitated and then offered an olive branch. “A few of us are going out tonight, celebrating my temporary promotion. Would you like to join us?”

Zelda looked startled and her lips parted. 

“I… thank you but I think perhaps I ought to start slowly. I’m not entirely sure that a night out with people who think of me as the British Bitch would be good for either side.”

“Rain check then,” Lilith smiled. 

Zelda’s lips twitched and then she allowed herself to smile, lightly. Lilith’s heart did a backflip. Oh you’re so fucked. 

“Very well, Lilith.”

***
Lilith held the door open for Zelda, enjoying another soft smile and her thanks as she stepped through. Lilith could still taste the cigarette on her lips and despite having smoked for a few years before quitting, now it just made her think of Zelda. She was about to ask the woman if she wanted to run through Nowadays, itching to gather a few more moments together, when an arm slid over her shoulder and Lucifer Morningstar slid between the two of them. 

“Zelda, Lilith,” he purred. “I wondered where you both were.”

Lilith gritted her teeth at the unwelcome intrusion and she saw Zelda untangle herself almost immediately. She gave Lucifer a quick shove which he laughed off.  

“Hello, Lucifer.”

“Oh now, be nice; I hear that there’s a celebration tonight. Finally made it off the bench, hey Demon?”

“Temporarily. And don’t call me that.”

“Why not? It’s your name isn’t it, my little demon?” He leaned in and grinned. Lilith wished she could kick him. Zelda was looking at her curiously. 

“My last name is Demons, and I’m not your little anything. Back off Lucifer.”

“Ouch,” he grinned, putting his hand over his heart as though wounded. “I’m hurt. You used to like me.”

“You used to not be an asshole.”

“Maybe one day you’ll change your mind again then. Tonight; I’m buying a round.”

“Who invited you?”

“Dorcas. Sweet one that one. Rather likes me I think.” He winked. Lilith’s jaw hurt from gritting her teeth. 

“Well, you enjoy that. Try not to fuck her over like you do everyone else.”

“Fucking is most of the fun, Lilith. You should know that.” With that he eyed Zelda. “How about you, Spellman? You coming out tonight?”

“I’m afraid I-”

“She has a prior engagement, but unlike you, she had an invite from me.” Lilith butted in. “Beat it Luci; go practice your dancing or something.”

“I never miss a beat,” he winked. “See you later, Lil’ Demon.”

With that, he was gone, off towards where Dorcas was stretching and Lilith was glaring after him. 

“Are you alright?” Zelda’s voice was quiet and Lilith started. She studied her and then took a deep breath, letting it out as she released her jaw. 

“Yes. Sorry.”

“He gets you on edge.” It wasn’t a question, but it wasn’t an outright statement. More that she was trying not to pry, but was intrigued. Lilith debated how much to say. 

“We’ve worked together before. We used to hang out. I grew up, mostly. He never did.”

“It seems like more than that.” 

“It is.” Lilith met her gaze and then shrugged, pursing her lips. “Maybe I’ll tell you about it sometime.”

“If you like,” Zelda said tentatively and then her hand lifted and she placed it briefly on Lilith’s arm, just above her elbow. “If you are comfortable, I mean.”

Lilith’s heart rate had picked up and she blinked. 

“Well…” Zelda’s hand fell away and Lilith felt a sliver of regret. “We should stretch.”

“Yes,” Zelda nodded slowly, and began unbuttoning her coat. “Before Faustus gets here.”

“Yes,” Lilith said, forcing her eyes to stay on Zelda’s face, instead of dipping down to take in what she was wearing today. She could see that it was black and green against creamy skin, of which there seemed to be a little more than usual on display. Okay, so she might have glanced down and been momentarily distracted by creamy collarbones, but she was only human, after all. She began unbuttoning her own for something to do with her hands, because they were itching again. “Thank you, by the way.”

“For what?” Zelda’s eyebrow rose gently, surprised. 

“The cigarette. And the chat.” God she was acting like a schoolgirl with a crush. Mentally, Lilith shook herself, and dropped her coat by her bag, taking off her gloves and scarf. 

“Well, contrary to popular opinion, I’m not entirely unfriendly.”

Was Zelda… teasing? There was a little hint of a smirk that made the joke so much more. 

“Oh no, you’re as soft as a pillow.”

Oh. Zelda’s smile grew; her cheeks dimpled and the whole effect was somehow soft and coy at the same time. 

“That’s me,” Zelda hummed and then began to stretch. Lilith grinned and followed suit. 

***

Rehearsal was going well. Lilith was dripping with sweat, but she was still smiling. In fact, she had barely been able to stop since her conversation with Zelda. Every so often, she’d catch the woman’s eye and that slight smile would reappear, sending Lilith’s heart flipping again. She really had to get a handle on her impending crush. Impending… as if it wasn’t already circulating through her veins, pumped by her treacherous heart. 

“Lilith, can you go and ask Faustus if he wants to see this number?” Prudence called. 

“Sure,” Lilith replied. She could do with a break anyway, and so she grabbed her bottle and headed out into the corridor. She took a gulp and tried to steady her heart rate, checking her reflection in the glass of one of the pictures on the walls. She looked tired and sweaty, but she was used to it. Rolling her eyes, she pushed open the door to the other studio. 

“Prudence wants to know…” She stopped dead as Faustus stepped away from a flushed Zelda. Lilith swallowed, her eyes darting between them before she dropped her gaze to the floor. “Um, Prudence wants to know if you want to see the number?”

“I’ll be right in,” he said smoothly. Lilith glanced at Zelda again, who lifted her chin and stared back at her, as though daring her to say anything. Lilith felt bile rise in her throat as her heart sank. 

“I’ll let her know,” she said and closed the door, hurrying away from it. She went over what she had seen as she paused at the other door, trying to work out what had been going on. Had Faustus’ attention been welcomed? Had it even been attention or had they just been rehearsing? He could have been correcting her stance. She couldn’t tell. Surely if it hadn’t been acceptable to the woman, Zelda would have looked at her differently from the ‘you’ve interrupted us’ stare she’d received. Were they sleeping together? It wasn’t the first time it had happened in the industry and although Faustus was married, she wouldn’t put anything past that man. But she hadn’t expected that from Zelda...

Lilith shook her head. She didn’t really know the woman and it wasn’t any of her business. Had it been something obviously inappropriate, she might’ve been in a position to say something, to ask her, but it was only the faintest whiff of impropriety, brought on by her dislike of the man.

Still, she thought as she pushed open the door to the other studio, she wished she could be certain, because she knew that the flush on Zelda’s cheeks and that stare would be on her mind for a long while. 

When the pair appeared a few minutes later, Lilith kept her eyes averted. But when Zelda caught her eye later, after they had finished rehearsing for the day and were cooling down, she sent her a tentative smile. 

Zelda’s shoulders lowered slightly with an exhale and she sent her a brief smile in return. 

Lilith headed out shortly after Zelda, Agatha by her side, chatting about their plans for the evening. 

“Lilith!” Zelda’s voice called and Lilith’s head whipped around. Zelda was holding the lift doors. 

Lilith pulled Agatha along with her and smiled gratefully. 

“Thanks. My feet are dead.”

“Hopefully they recover for this evening,” Zelda replied. Agatha’s head was swivelling on her neck like she was at a tennis match. 

“Oh… are you joining us?”

“No,” Zelda replied. “I’m afraid I have a prior engagement, though Lilith was kind enough to invite me.”

“She was?” Agatha raised an eyebrow. “Right, of course. Everyone welcome.”

“Yes,” Zelda said. She withdrew a little, pressing the button for the ground floor and Lilith’s gaze remained on her as she watched the mask slipping back over her face.

“Next time though, with more notice,” Lilith smiled. “Sometimes they drag me to a karaoke bar.”

“Oh?” Zelda’s lips twitched slightly. “Drag?”

“I usually remind them I’m a bit too old for regular nights out now.”

Zelda’s eyebrow quirked. 

“Old? You must be around my age. Are you suggesting that I am old?”

Lilith chuckled and shook her head. 

“Definitely not.”

“Well then,” Zelda responded, as though that settled things. The lift stopped and the doors opened. “I hope you enjoy your evening ladies. See you on Monday.”

She stepped out, casting a small smile over her shoulder at Lilith and then she was gone, striding across the reception. Lilith’s smile was still painted on her face when Agatha elbowed her. 

“Um… care to explain what that was about?” Lilith laughed and headed for the exit, with Agatha hurrying after her. "Lilith!"

***

Lilith was starting to feel that she actually was too old for this. They were a couple of drinks in and she had a good buzz, but not enough to make her forget how irritated she was that Lucifer was commanding the attention of most of the chorus by regaling stories from past shows. She’d been there for some of them and so knew that he was embellishing without hesitation or restraint. 

What made it worse was that Dorcas was hanging on every word, and Lilith’s jaw hurt from the amount she had pressed her teeth together to stop herself from saying anything. When she and Agatha went to the bar to collect the next round, she couldn’t hold it further. 

“Agatha just… warn Dorcas off the Devil, will you?”

“The Devil…? Oh… why?”

“Just, trust me okay? Unless she just wants a one or two night thing and then to spend the rest of the run watching him chase other women, she should steer clear.”

“Okay, I’ll tell her.”

“Thanks.”

“So,” Agatha leaned on the bar. “Are you going to tell me what was up with you and Spellman earlier?”

Lilith rolled her eyes. 

“Nothing was up. I told you, she’s not bad once you get to know her.”

“And are you? Getting to know her?”

“I mean, yes, I guess. We’ve chatted once or twice. She seems… interesting.”

“Oh god.”

“What?”

“You only say they’re interesting when you’re interested. You really do have a thing for her.”

“I do not.”

“You do.”

Lilith sighed and grabbed the drink the barman had just passed her, taking a gulp. 

“Gah. Alright fine. I have a little crush. So what? It’s not unusual.”

“Yeah but you don’t normally deny it so much,” Agatha shot her a knowing look. 

Lilith rolled her eyes again. 

“I’m just respecting boundaries. I only just met the woman.”

“So it’s not the reason that you’ve not found yourself a partner for the evening even though plenty of people are interested?”

“No. I’m just not in the mood.”

“You’re always in the mood.”

“Not today. I’m exhausted. I don’t know that I’ll even make it to midnight, let alone take someone home for a night of fun.”

“Night of fun, ey?” Lucifer appeared, waggling his eyebrows. “Where do I sign up?”

“Fuck you,” she shot at him, a little too sharply to be considered banter. 

“Sure; your place or mine? I knew one day you’d have to give me a-”

Lilith was entirely sure that she had improved his shirt by throwing the drink at him, but the sudden scattering of people near him and the hiss of displeasure from Lucifer himself was a bit more than she’d been going for. In fact, she hadn’t intended to throw the drink at all. It just… happened. 

“I mean.. Fuck, Lil,” he said, glancing around, clearly controlling his anger. He put on the jovial smile, but Lilith knew him. She knew she’d pissed him off. “I know being wet in these circumstances is normally a good thing but that was a bit much.”

Lilith entirely considered throwing another drink when he simply unbuttoned his shirt, grabbed the shots they’d bought and headed back to their table yelling about doing body shots. She turned and found Agatha staring at her. 

“Um… okay, seriously, what is going on with you?”

“He’s an asshole.”

“Still…”

“Maybe I’m just too tired. I should head home.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah,” Lilith sighed. “Sorry. Thanks for organising this.”

“No problem.” 

Lilith helped her carry the drinks over, then made her excuses, shrugging on her coat amidst a chorus of complaints. Finally she made it out of there and headed home, and only when she was in the shower, washing away the night, was she finally able to unclench her jaw. 

Chapter 5: Cupcakes

Summary:

Zelda makes an effort and Lilith gets wet.

Notes:

Yes, I did make that the summary. Enjoy. <3

Chapter Text

“Hilda?” Zelda looked over her morning paper at her sister who was encouraging Sabrina to eat her porridge. “People like you, don’t they?”

“Well, I hope so,” Hilda said, sprinkling some more raspberries into the bowl because Sabrina had a sweet tooth. She glanced at Zelda and saw her pursed lips and distant stare; a sure sign that her sister was considering something. “Why do you ask?”

“No reason.” Zelda waved her off, looking back at her paper. A few moments passed and then her paper lowered again. “If you were trying to change someone’s mind about you… or a few people… how would you do it? Hypothetically.”

“Would this be a hypothetical cast, by any chance?” Hilda asked, eyeing her sister curiously. 

“Perhaps,” Zelda replied passively, as though it were of little consequence. 

“Well,” Hilda mused while she finally managed to dig into her own breakfast. “I would probably bake for them.”

“Bake.” Zelda pursed her lips again. “Not my forte.” 

“I thought we were talking hypothetically,” Hilda smiled. Zelda rolled her eyes. 

“We were. We are.” She huffed. “It doesn’t matter.”

“Well, if you were to hypothetically need a large batch of cupcakes before tomorrow, I could, hypothetically of course, help. Sabrina and I have no plans, do we darling?”

Sabrina swallowed and shook her head. 

“Cupcakes, Auntie Zee?” The little girl looked hopeful; her eyes were shining. 

“Well… I suppose that sounds like a nice way to spend the day,” Zelda replied, lifting her paper to hide the grateful smile on her lips. “If you have no other plans.”

“Excellent. You can help Sabrina decorate some for us to keep and I’ll handle the others.”

Zelda lowered the paper, seeing her sister smiling innocent next to a now exuberantly excited Sabrina. Swallowing, Zelda gave up on her paper and folded it, before laying it down on the table. 

“Well then, I suppose I had better change. I’m not sure I’m dressed for the occasion.”

She dropped a kiss on Sabrina’s head, gave Hilda a grateful smile and headed upstairs. Having planned to do very little other than head into the city for lunch and shopping today, Zelda had donned high-waisted trousers and a leopard print shirt that she absolutely would not risk to the baking and decorating skills of her niece. 

In her room, Zelda unbuttoned the shirt, slipping it off and putting it back on the hanger. She surveyed her options and settled on one of the sweatshirts she usually wore to her personal training sessions. Dropping it and some loose leggings onto the bed, she caught sight of herself in the mirror and paused. 

To think, just a few years ago, she would never have exchanged dressing up for a day out with dressing down to make cupcakes with her sister. What a difference Sabrina had made to their lives. 

She shook herself, focusing on changing, but still the gentle smile remained. 

***

Hilda’s part of the table was much cleaner than Zelda and Sabrina’s, despite her baking the lion’s share of the cupcakes. Zelda’s clothes were covered in flour and she suspected there was also some in her hair. There was something sticky, that she suspected to be frosting, on her cheek, where Sabrina had put her hands to steady herself as she leaned in to give her Auntie a kiss. Zelda found that she wasn’t overly concerned about wiping it off just yet. She leaned in, breathing in the smell of Sabrina’s hair, and hid a smile among the girl’s golden locks. 

“How are you getting on?” Hilda asked, carefully piping icing into a swirl on top of a delicious-looking bun. 

Zelda looked down at Sabrina, sitting on her lap, who was putting an excessive amount of sprinkles on top of frosting that looked like it had been smeared on with her fingers… which it likely had been. Zelda had gotten a little distracted; running through scenarios of how the next day would go in her head. 

“Sabrina is being artistic, aren’t you darling?”

Sabrina nodded excessively, carefully lifting the cupcake to show her Aunties, and sending sprinkles scattering all over the table. Hilda grinned. 

“That’s wonderful, darling. So colourful.”

“Thank you, Auntie,” Sabrina chuckled and then turned around to show Zelda, almost shoving the cupcakes into her nose in the process. Sprinkles cascaded down her top and she jumped, holding onto Sabrina to stop her from tumbling off. 

“Careful, Sabrina.”

“Sorry, Auntie Zee.”

A few minutes later, Sabrina had declared their cupcakes finished and was chattering away to Zelda about how much Theo, her best friend, would love the one she’d made for him, while Zelda tried to wipe her niece’s face clean. Sabrina stopped chattering suddenly and giggled. 

“What’s so funny, sweetheart?” Zelda hummed, getting the last of the icing off of Sabrina’s cheeks.

“Nothing, Auntie Zee,” Sabrina giggled harder. Zelda raised her eyebrow. 

“Nothing hmmm?” She tickled the girl’s sides until she started shrieking with laughter and then, smiling, she dropped a kiss on her head. “Come on, let’s go and check on your Aunt Hilda.”

Sabrina took Zelda’s hand and followed her back to the kitchen. 

“Oh, there you are.” Hilda looked a little frantic and Zelda’s heart lurched. What had happened? “In all the excitement about making cupcakes, I forgot that I was meant to go and pick up a few things for dinner.”

“Well, surely we have food in; this is not a crisis?”

Zelda loved her sister, but she did have a flair for the dramatic which grated on her, on occasion. 

“No, I meant to go yesterday, but then Theo’s dad was running late so their play date didn’t finish until late and…”

“Hilda,” Zelda interrupted, her lips pursing. “There is an hour until the shops close; I’m sure I can handle picking up a few items of food. Please try to not be so dramatic.”

Hilda, still flustered, stopped flapping and collected herself. 

“Thank you, sister. I’ll write you a list.”

“I shall go and change,” Zelda glanced down at herself, frowning. “Sabrina, sit and be good for your Aunt for a moment, won’t you?”

Sabrina nodded and pottered over to her lego box, beginning to dig through it. Zelda smiled after her and then hurried upstairs. 

She changed quickly into jeans and a red jumper, and was back downstairs in record time. Sunday dinners in the Spellman household had always been mandatory family time and, as such, Hilda usually overfed them. Zelda was not surprised, therefore, when Hilda emerged with a list that was a little longer than ‘a few things’. She arched her eyebrow, casting her eyes over it and pursed her lips. 

“Hilda, this is…” She looked up, caught the pleading eyes of her sister and sighed. “Very well. I will hurry.”

She slipped on her boots and grabbed her jacket. 

“Zelda…?” Hilda was gesturing towards her and Zelda’s hand tightened on the list. 

“If you’ve forgotten to add something, so help me Hilda…”

“No, I… nevermind.”

Zelda rolled her eyes, grabbed her car keys and headed out of the door. 

It was fortunate, she thought, that not many people were out on the streets at this time of evening. Until she got further into the city, Zelda experienced minimal traffic, and when she pulled into the car park, she still had half an hour until closing time. 

A security man eyed her as she hurried through the door but she ignored him, claiming a small trolly and beginning her quest. Hilda’s list had fifteen items on it, which made her grit her teeth, but she dutifully made her way down the aisle and started collecting vegetables. A few minutes later, half way through the list, Zelda was frowning at the different types of potatoes and deliberating what her sister would need. She could feel the frustration building as she contemplated how embarrassing it would be to have to call her sister to ask which potatoes were best for mashing and which she wanted for roasting. 

“Zelda?”

Zelda started, looking up from the potatoes to find Lilith looking at her with a small, amused smile on her lips and her eyebrow quirked. 

“Lilith.” Zelda blinked, noting Lilith’s fresh face and wet hair plastered to her face. “Hello.”

Lilith grinned, clearly noticing Zelda’s gaze, and ran her fingers through her hair. 

“It’s raining,” she explained. Now that she mentioned it, Zelda could hear the sound on the roof. From the looks of Lilith, it was as heavy as it sounded. 

“Oh… that’s sudden.”

Lilith’s grin widened and she shrugged. 

“That’s why I look like a drowned rat. Caught unawares.”

Zelda’s eyes flicked over her again; Lilith looked nothing like a drowned rat. If anything, the experience had given her cheeks some flush and made her eyes sparkle; she looked somehow more alive. Like she did when she performed. 

Zelda realised that she was staring and that Lilith was waiting for some sort of response. 

“I can’t say that’s how I’d describe you,” she said and then her eyes flicked to her watch. Damn. She looked back up. “I’m sorry, I’m in a bit of a rush to get things before the shop closes.”

“That’s alright,” Lilith shrugged and then hesitated. “Do you need a hand?”

“Excuse me?”

“You looked a little… frustrated at the potatoes.” Lilith’s smile didn’t judge her, nor did she feel she was being mocked. Perhaps that was why Zelda found herself nodding in response. 

“Thank you. This is normally my sister, Hilda’s domain.”

“Not a cook?” Lilith asked casually, shifting her basket to her other side as she stepped closer, leaning in to look at the list. 

“No. Hilda has always taken that role, since we were young. I was too busy following my mother around, practicing lines with her…” Zelda trailed off as she realised she was openly discussing her family with someone who she barely knew. “No, not a cook. Are you?”

“I can cook, but I don’t do it often,” Lilith shrugged. “I prefer to cook for company.”

Zelda watched her as she perused the list and found her lips twitching into a smile as Lilith nodded. 

“Do you know what she’s planning to do with the potatoes?”

“She usually does roast potatoes, and mashed.”

“Can I get an invite?” Lilith joked. “I love potatoes.”

Zelda smiled and shook her head gently.

“I imagine Sabrina would invite you, since you’re her ‘nice lady’, but she would  hate having competition for the potatoes. They are her favourite.”

“I’d be willing to share the potatoes, just this once.” Lilith grinned and then picked up a large potato and a small. “Mashing. Roasting. Sorted.”

“Thank you,” Zelda smiled gratefully, opening the paper bag and collecting some of each. “I appreciate your help.”

“You’re welcome. Anything else I can help with, before I finish my decidedly less-healthy shop?”

Zelda’s lips quirked again and she peered into Lilith’s basket. 

“Crisps? Chocolate? Cake?” Her eyes flicked back to Lilith, who chuckled. 

“It’s not all for me,” Lilith explained. “Prudence did a collection for Mary and I’m collecting the food. She’s getting the flowers.”

“Oh,” Zelda blinked and looked down at the basket again. “I wasn’t aware that there was a collection.”

Lilith’s smile fell slightly, but as Zelda felt herself beginning to get defensive, on the edge of telling her that she didn’t need to feel bad that she hadn’t been included, Lilith smiled. 

“Well, you can help me; I couldn’t work out which cookies she’d like best. So help me pick and if you want you can chip in at the register.”

Zelda stared at her for a moment and then nodded her head in agreement. 

“That would be… thank you.”

Lilith gave her an odd look. 

“You’re thanking me for asking for your help and getting you to pay for some of it? Damn, do you want to buy my snacks too?” She grinned at Zelda, who found herself smiling slightly again. 

“Which are yours?” They moved down the aisle; Lilith falling into step beside Zelda. 

“I admit to the candy,” she pointed into the basket. “And maybe the cookies.”

“Biscuits,” Zelda supplied. Lilith’s brow creased. 

“I didn’t buy any… Oh right, you’re British. They’re cookies.”

“Biscuits,” Zelda responded casually as she picked up some carrots. 

Lilith laughed and the sound sent a tingle through Zelda. 

“We’re not going to argue about this all the way around the store, are we?”

“Not if you admit that you are wrong.”

Lilith’s grin widened. 

“But I’m not.” Zelda’s lips quirked but she continued on without comment. Lilith followed. “So then, if you’re such a snack connoisseur; what’s your favourite?”

“Favourite?”

“What’s your vice? Your go to snack food?”

“I don’t snack,” Zelda dismissed her, turning to hide the little smile that she couldn’t get to leave her face. 

“That explains it,” Lilith’s voice was low, but Zelda heard her and turned, catching her eyes scanning her figure. She raised her eyebrow and Lilith realised she’d been caught. “I just meant… you don’t look like you snack. I mean…”

She gestured to Zelda again and the redhead felt her neck heat in a blush that had no right to be there. 

“Well,” she scanned Lilith in return, remembering the muscles she had seen that were now covered in jeans and that leather jacket she seemed to love. “You don’t look like you do either, and yet…”

Lilith’s lips parted and Zelda watched with interest as a blush crept onto her cheeks. 

“I, uhm, work hard.”

“So do I.” Zelda studied the growing blush and decided to take pity on the woman. “Dark chocolate.”

“What?”

“I like dark chocolate. That’s my vice… other than smoking, of course.”

“Of course,” Lilith smiled and then a mischievous look crossed her face. “That explains that then.”

“Explains what?” Zelda glanced at her watch again as she stopped in front of the chicken. Just a few more items…

“You know you have chocolate on your face, right?”

Zelda’s eyes blew wide as her head snapped around to look at Lilith. 

“Excuse me?”

Lilith’s grin faltered, her brow creased and she gestured at Zelda’s face. 

“Chocolate. And flour in your hair. You don’t cook, but you bake?”

Zelda was mortified; her free hand flew to her face and then to her hair, trying to remember where Sabrina’s hands had been during their baking session. How could she have forgotten to check before she left the house? Oh, she would kill Hilda for not telling her…

“Is it gone?” She asked, looking around them. Thankfully, they were the only ones in the aisle. Lilith searched her face and shook her head. “Where is it? Please…”

Zelda’s plea caught both of them off guard; Lilith recovered first and stepped closer. She raised her hand and Zelda froze. 

Fingers brushed her hair gently and then Lilith’s thumb grazed over her cheek. Zelda’s breath caught at the softness of her; Lilith’s thumb traced the same area again, her eyes suddenly focused and intent. She pulled her hand away, presenting her thumb for Zelda’s to see the chocolate frosting smeared over it. Heat spread further down her neck. 

“There, all gone.”

“Thank you, I…” Zelda’s explanation faded away as Lilith popped her thumb to her lips and sucked the pad clean. “... Erm… cupcakes.”

“Cupcakes?” Lilith’s eyebrow quirked again and she smirked. “So you really were baking?”

“I can’t take the credit; Hilda is the baker. But Sabrina and I did decorate some. Not the ones for the cast, of course, because Sabrina is a little liberal with the sprinkles.”

“For the cast?” Zelda froze again, before continuing to slide the chicken she had chosen into her basket.

“Ah, yes… I thought about what you said and decided to make an effort.”

“And you chose cupcakes?” Lilith looked surprised and Zelda felt a stab of anxiety in her gut. Had Hilda been wrong? 

“Yes?”

“Well,” Lilith grinned. “You’re better at this than you give yourself credit for. They’ll love it.”

Zelda felt relief seep through her and she gave a sigh. 

“Good. Technically, I have Hilda to thank for the idea, again.”

“That’s really great,” Lilith smiled. “That you have so much support and love in your life."

Zelda studied her out of the corner of her eye as they walked together, feeling the warmth of her words at odds with the touch of melancholy in her tone. Did Lilith have someone to love and support her? Zelda was curious, but she barely knew the woman and it would be inappropriate to ask. So, she changed the subject. 

“If you want my help with those biscuits, we should hurry.”

“Cookies,” Lilith shot back, smirking. “After you then.”

Smiling, Zelda pushed her trolley towards the right aisle; Lilith followed behind with a similar expression on her face. 

***

They were practically chased out of the building by staff five minutes later. Zelda was pleased, having managed to collect everything on Hilda’s list and having enjoyed a few minutes arguing playfully with Lilith about biscuits versus cookies. 

They both hovered under the shelter of the roof that extended over the front door, looking out at the rain. 

“Well,” Zelda began. 

“So…” Lilith started. 

They both smiled; Lilith chuckled. 

“You go first,” Zelda offered. 

“I was just going to say that I enjoyed bumping into you,” Lilith shifted on her feet. “And that I’m looking forward to tomorrow.”

“Who said you’re receiving a cupcake?” Zelda teased. “They’re for people who don’t like me already.”

“Who says I like you?” Lilith grinned. Zelda’s smile fell, and Lilith panicked. “I do; I was joking.”

Zelda’s smile crept back onto her lips; mischievous. 

“Oh, I know.”

Lilith narrowed her eyes playfully. The glow of the street lights in the car park made them glint, and Zelda’s smile grew. 

“Oh, so you do have a sense of humour.”

“Don’t tell anyone,” Zelda replied dryly. 

“Your secret is safe with me,” Lilith smirked, miming zipping her lips closed. Zelda smiled shyly at her and then looked out into the rain again. “What were you going to say?”

She looked at Lilith again. 

“I was going to thank you, for your help,” Zelda offered. “Is your car far?”

“I walked,” Lilith shrugged. Zelda’s eyes widened. 

“In this?”

“Well, it wasn’t raining when I left,” Lilith teased. 

“Would you…” Zelda glanced at her car. “Can I give you a lift?”

Lilith studied her for a moment and then another jovial smile slid onto her lips. It was almost cocky, something Zelda normally found irritating, but on Lilith it was quite… attractive? She shook herself away from that thought. 

“I must have looked like a drowned rat if you’re offering me a lift.”

“Oh, please,” Zelda rolled her eyes. “I just don’t want to lose another co-star and if I can help prevent the flu, I will.”

“Ah, so that’s it,” Lilith joked. “Keeping me around for a scene partner, hmm?”

“Well, why else?” Zelda responded. Bantering with Lilith was so easy. It flowed, and Zelda found that she was quite enjoying herself. “To steal my cigarettes?”

“You offered. If anything, you’re a bad influence.”

Zelda laughed. It was only small, escaping her and taking them both by surprise, but Lilith’s grin widened until it was almost blinding, so Zelda found that she didn’t fully regret letting her guard down. In fact, she didn’t regret it at all. Still, she gathered herself, looking down at the bags that were starting to weigh on her fingers. 

“Well, do you need a lift?” She looked back to Lilith and saw the woman inhale before chewing her lip as she looked at the rain. 

“If you don’t mind? I don’t want to hold you up; you have a dinner to deliver.”

“It’s no bother,” Zelda assured her. “Hilda will understand and Sabrina will forgive me if I tell her that I was helping her favourite cast member.”

“I’m pretty sure that’s you.” Zelda smiled and looked down, hiding her smile. “Why do you do that?”

“Do what?” Zelda met her eyes again, curious. 

“Hide your smile. The real one; not the one you use in interviews or…” Lilith trailed off as Zelda stiffened. “Sorry, it’s none of my business.”

“No, it isn’t.” Zelda found that the bite she normally inserted into situations like this was lacking. “Come on, let’s get you home.”

She stepped towards the rain, but Lilith’s hand caught her elbow gently and she turned, raising her eyebrow. 

“I really am sorry for prying. It’s just your smile is… beautiful.”

Zelda’s lips parted and she felt her throat tighten. Lilith’s eyes were open and honest and she looked truly apologetic and almost… shy. It was a new look on the woman; Zelda found it quite endearing. 

“Well… thank you.” Hesitantly, she briefly laid her hand on Lilith’s, where it had stayed on her arm. Lilith withdrew slowly as she did and Zelda watched as a barrage of emotions flitted across her face; so quickly that she couldn’t decipher them all. “Come on, or I really will be late home.”

“Here,” Lilith said, putting her bag down and taking off her jacket. Zelda’s eyes passed over her arms, finding them on display again and equally as distracting as before. 

“The idea was that you didn’t catch the flu,” she frowned, dragging her eyes back to Lilith’s. 

Lilith grinned, reached down to collect her bag and then lifted the jacket over her head, moving closer. Zelda shivered slightly as she felt the woman’s body heat against her. 

“Where’s your car?” Lilith asked and her voice was low, so near to her ear. Zelda pointed. “Alright, ready to run?”

“Yes.”

The mad dash, half protected by Lilith’s jacket, wasn’t particularly elegant. Their bags banged into their legs and became tangled at one point, but Lilith kept Zelda covered. They tumbled into the car and Zelda hefted her bags into the backseat, before checking Lilith. The woman was flushed, her arms wet, her bag and jacket on her lap. She stared back and then began to laugh. Zelda smiled and then found herself joining in. They both trailed off after a moment or two, smiling, and Lilith ran her hands over her arms. 

“I’m soaked.”

“I’m surprisingly dry.”

“Surprisingly hmm?” Lilith chuckled again. 

“I think I have a towel in the back…” Zelda leaned through the gap, resting her hand on Lilith’s seat, looking for her gym bag; all packed and ready for the morning. She hooked it out and returned to her seat, handing the towel to Lilith, who seemed even more flushed. “Here; are you alright?”

“Hmm? Yes. Fine; thank you.” She began to dry herself off and Zelda tore her eyes away to put on her seat belt. 

“Good. Well, where to?”

“Lilith gave her address and Zelda typed it into the sat nav, before pulling out of the parking space. 

A few minutes passed; the only sounds were the rain, the sat nav and the other cars on the road. Zelda glanced at Lilith, catching her drying her jacket with the towel. 

"How long have you been doing this?”

“What? Dripping all over people’s car seats because I never come prepared?” Lilith joked. 

“No,” Zelda chuckled lightly. “Been on the stage. Have you ever had a lead?”

“Since I was eighteen. I lucked out; got spotted at an audition for a role that I had no business attempting to audition for. I’d been in a few things before but nothing major. And yes, but nothing of note. Nothing like Velma.”

The way she said it, with such a longing, made Zelda’s heart ache. 

“I find that so difficult to believe,” Zelda said, looking back at the road. “You’re more than capable.”

“I… what?” Zelda glanced over and found Lilith staring at her. Her heart rate picked up slightly; had she worded something wrong again? 

“I didn’t mean to offend you. I meant that you’re talented.”

“I… uhm… No, no, I got that. I just… you think I’m talented?”

Zelda glanced over at Lilith again; she looked utterly thrown. 

“Do you not know that?”

“I mean, I know I’m good; if I didn’t I’d have no business being in the industry at all. But it’s a bit different to hear it from… well, you.”

Zelda bite her lip, smiling. 

“You know that you’re talented; my opinion shouldn’t really matter.”

“But it does,” Lilith’s voice was soft, and when Zelda glanced over, the other woman was purposefully looking elsewhere. 

Zelda focussed on the road, her mind spinning dangerously. They had only really spoken a few times, but already Lilith seemed to have slipped past most of her defensive mechanisms. Hell, Zelda didn’t remember the last time someone outside of her family had made her genuinely laugh. 

It had been so long since she’d made herself vulnerable and it was terrifying and somehow thrilling. She had a feeling that Lilith could get to know the real her with ease, because Zelda appeared to forget about protecting herself around her. As the thought settled into her stomach, Zelda felt unease travel through her. What if Lilith got to know her and found her lacking? She had had that happen before; people thinking they knew her because of the way she performed; the roles she played… the mask she wore. She wasn’t sure that she could take another person seeing her as she was and deciding she wasn’t worth their time. That she was too much to hand; too imperfect and broken. 

Her eyes flicked back to Lilith, sitting in the passenger seat. Was she like those fake friends and lovers of her past? She didn’t appear to be, but Zelda knew all too well that appearances could be deceptive. She looked back at the road, then glanced back to Lilith, finding her eyes on her. Zelda froze and then looked back to the road again, flexing her fingers on the steering wheel. 

“Are you alright?” Lilith murmured. 

“Yes,” Zelda responded too quickly and winced at the snap of her voice. She tried again. “Yes, sorry. I was just lost in thought.”

“Uber driver saved me from the rain but spent most of the journey lost in thought. Four out of five stars.” Lilith’s teasing tone was back and Zelda rolled her eyes, biting back a grin. 

“Uber driver hmm?”

“Are you going to call me out on all my teasing?”

“Are you going to continue to tease me, Lilith?”

Lilith let out a surprised little cough and when Zelda glanced over to check that she was okay, she could have sworn that the faint street light had lit a lush on her cheek as they passed under it. Zelda chewed her lip, sure that she hadn’t said anything offensive this time. So why had Lilith reacted like that…?

“That’s my stop,” Lilith gestured, distracting Zelda’s thoughts. She braked a little harder than she should have and heard a few items roll out of her bags on the backseat. Lilith chuckled. “Sounds like the potatoes are already mashed.”

Heat spread over Zelda’s cheeks again and she glanced in the rearview mirror to check that no one was behind her. There was no room on the street to park. 

“As long as that stop doesn’t affect my uber rating.” 

Lilith chuckled. 

“You’d get five stars from me.” She glanced out at the rain; still coming down heavily. “I suppose I should get out.”

“I have an umbrella in the boot?” Zelda offered. 

“No, that’s okay, it’s just a quick dash. Thank you though.” Lilith hesitated and then a horn sounded behind them. “I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“With cupcakes,” Zelda promised. Lilith smiled. 

“I look forward to it.” The horn went again. “No patience. Goodnight, Zelda… drive safe.”

Before Zelda could respond, Lilith was out of the car, running across the road in front of the car with her bag in hand and the jacket held precariously over her head. Zelda watched as she paused at the door, before she disappeared inside with a wave. The horn sounded again, making Zelda jump. Glaring in her mirror, she drove off and headed home. 

***

Zelda clutched the cupcake boxes tightly, unable to bear the thought of them crashing to the floor, ruined. A courier had almost knocked them from her already and so she was now moving slowly up the stairs, having been unable to press the button for the lift. 

“Zelda, holy…” Lilith appeared beside her and Zelda felt her hand rest momentarily on her back as she turned. 

“Lilith.” Zelda warmed immediately at the sight of her. “Good morning.”

“Let me give you a hand with those,” Lilith offered and Zelda hesitated, before gratefully lowering them so Lilith could take the top two boxes. She peered into the clear lid and a little moan escaped her lips; Zelda blinked, momentarily thrown. “Oh my god, they look amazing.”

“Well, Hilda-”

“I know, I know, but all the thanks are going to you. You’ll get trampled with love now.”

“I think that might be a little excessive, dear.”

“Oh? You don’t want to get trampled by an entire cast?”

“No,” Zelda arched her eyebrow, hiding a smile behind her boxes. Lilith’s grin was infectious. 

“No? How about some of them? Just a little trampling?”

“Lilith…” Zelda reached the top of the stairs and huffed out a little chuckle, which made Lilith grin even more. 

“Hey, I made you laugh already. It really is going to be a good day.”

With that, Lilith turned and grabbed the door, holding it open for Zelda so that she could get into the studio. 

“You’re incorrigible.” 

“You flatter me.”

Rolling her eyes, Zelda passed her and put her the cupcakes on the table at the front, checking that they were still intact. She breathed a sigh of relief, just as Lilith put down the other boxes. 

“Thank you, Lilith.”

“You’re welcome. Good luck.”

Lilith winked at her and then headed over to where she usually left her bag, leaving Zelda watching her, lost in thought. 

Chapter 6: Lunch

Summary:

Zelda invites Lilith to lunch.

Notes:

Lots of Lilith/Zelda content in this one!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lilith couldn’t help but watch as the other cast members filed in, each spotting the cupcakes and lighting up. Zelda kept glancing at them nervously as they ‘ooh’d’, and then her shoulders began to relax. It made Lilith smile and the evidence still hadn’t left her face when Agatha dropped her bag beside hers and greeted her. 

“Hey, have you seen the cupcakes? I swear I’m putting on weight just being in the same room but if I get a chance I’m faceplanting the whole box.”

Lilith chuckled. 

“You’d better ask Zelda if there’s enough to go around.”

Agatha dropped down by her and stared. 

“You’re telling me she bought us cupcakes?”

“No, she didn’t buy them.”

“Oh, good; for a second I thought I’d entered a parallel universe.”

“I’m saying she made them. Her and her family.”

“You’re kidding.”

“Nope.”

“Well, fuck me… did you tell her to do this?”

“No, why?”

“I mean… you were the one who wanted everyone to like her and you’re the only one I’ve seen her talk to outside of Blackwood and Prudence, so…” She trailed off as Lilith frowned. 

“Can’t she just have decided to do something nice?”

“I’m just saying it’s quite the change in attitude and the only thing that’s changed is… well, you.”

“Maybe she just needed one person to make an effort with her, to show her that there isn’t some unfounded dislike of her through the whole cast.”

Agatha smiled and shook her head. 

“You, Lilith, are a secret softie.”

“I am not.”

“All I heard was ‘I am’,” Agatha grinned and then turned her back to start stretching. Lilith rolled her eyes, shook her head and then returned her focus to Zelda. 

She met Zelda’s eyes, finding the woman looking at her curiously. Lilith quirked an eyebrow and the lightest blush appeared on Zelda’s cheeks before her attention was pulled away by the door opening again. 

Faustus strode in, spotted the cupcakes, and paused.

“Well, what do we have here?” Most of the cast’s attention was pulled to Faustus as he inspected the boxes. Zelda glanced at Lilith, who tilted her head, trying to decipher the look on her face. 

“I brought them,” Zelda said, capturing everyone’s attention, including Faustus’. A murmur of surprise went through the cast. “My sister, niece and I baked them yesterday, for the cast.”

“Well… isn’t that nice?” Faustus smiled; an overly large grin that made Lilith’s skin crawl. “Sabrina is feeling better then?”

Zelda blinked. 

“Oh… yes. She is, thank you, Faustus.”

“Good,” he replied and then turned to look at the rest of the cast. “Well, I suppose I should work you all extra hard today before you eat them then.”

He glanced around at the cast as a distinct groan hummed through the room. They all began to make their way to the centre as Faustus started his usual morning speech. Lilith slipped closer to Zelda. The woman was worrying her lip; her shoulders bunched up again. Lilith had the sudden urge to reach out and touch her reassuringly, but caught herself. 

Sure, they had touched before; a light hand on her arm from Zelda, or the moment when she had reached out to rid Zelda’s cheek and hair of the evidence of baking… Lilith’s heart skipped at the memory from the previous evening. The way Zelda had looked at her; the way she had smiled…

“We’ll start with the court room,” Faustus finished his speech and then looked around. “Where’s Lucifer?”

“Late,” the stage manager announced. Faustus’ face soured. “I’ll go ahead and call him.”

“Do that. And tell him that unless he’s been hit by a car too, if he’s not here in five minutes we’ll be looking for a new Billy Flynn.”

The stage manager headed for the door, phone in hand, but before she could reach it, Lucifer walked through. Dorcas was following him, looking a little dishevelled.

“Sorry,” Lucifer grinned around at everyone staring at him. “Got held up.”

Lilith narrowed her eyes, watching Dorcas scrambling to put down her bag and change her shoes, and Lucifer striding across the floor as though he hadn’t a care in the world. 

“Don’t let our schedule get in the way of your social life,” Faustus barked. 

“Oh I won’t,” Lucifer winked at Dorcas, keeping his voice low so that Faustus didn’t hear. Lilith did, however, and rolled her eyes as he raised his voice. “Sorry Faustus, where do you want me?”

“We’re doing Razzle Dazzle and all of the court scenes,” Faustus replied. “Something that, you can imagine, is difficult to start without you.”

“Well, I won’t take up anymore of your time,” Lucifer replied, holding his hand out to Zelda. “Let’s go, Spellman.”

To Lilith’s amusement, an unimpressed Zelda ignored his outstretched hand, walking past him to her mark. When Lucifer spotted Lilith’s smirk, he threw her a quick scowl before taking his own place. 

Lilith, not having an entry to the scene until later, stood to the side to watch. 

She would never get used to seeing Zelda transform into character. One moment she was her quiet, although currently irritated self, and the next she embodied Roxie’s nervous determination, her arrogance and her sex appeal. It was seamless and reminded Lilith just how much she appreciated talent. Real talent. 

Wetting her lips and dragging her eyes away from Zelda, Lilith watched the scene play out before the song started, and Lucifer began to sing. 

Faustus, clearly annoyed by Lucifer’s late arrival and blasé attitude, was practically tyrannical. He called them out on every little thing, especially Lucifer, and by the time the stage manager called for a break, they were all exhausted. Lilith had only managed to do her entry as Velma a couple of times, because there had seemed to be so many notes for Lucifer before that, but she still felt like she’d been picked apart by the man. Everything, down to the way she walked, had been reviewed. 

As they all eagerly grabbed water bottles and sank to the floor to rest their feet, Lilith looked over at Zelda. She looked pink, and her hair was darker around her face from sweat. Lilith found herself strangely fascinated with the way that her throat bobbed as she gulped down her water. 

“Morning, Demon.” Lucifer’s voice came from behind her and Lilith rolled her eyes before she turned. 

“How is it that you can remember whole shows, but you can’t remember to. Not. Call. Me. That?”

“You’d miss it if I stopped,” he grinned. 

“Not really.”

“Come on, Lil. Why’re you giving me such a hard time? I mean, you used to be just like me. We used to be friends.”

“We used to be in competition. We were never really friends.”

“Competition; is that what that was?”

“It wasn’t good, whatever it was and I’m glad it’s over.”

“You’re breaking my heart, Lil.”

“What heart?” Lilith muttered as he swaggered off. 

“Lilith.” Zelda’s voice was warm behind her and Lilith jumped and turned. Her heart rate sped up, finding a still flushed Zelda standing closer than expected. “Sorry, I didn’t mean to make you jump.”

“That’s okay,” Lilith smiled. Zelda’s lips twitched and then she glanced after Lucifer. 

“I just wanted to make sure that you were okay.”

“Okay?” Lilith feigned ignorance. “I’m fine.”

Zelda raised her eyebrow, but after a brief moment she seemed to decide not to push, which Lilith was grateful for. 

“I was wondering…” Zelda hesitated. “Would you like to join me for lunch?”

Lilith blinked. 

“Lunch?”

“You already have plans; I understand.” Zelda’s eyes dimmed but she continued to smile. “Perhaps another day.”

“No, I don’t have plans,” Lilith said, her hand reaching out instinctively as Zelda began to move, catching her forearm. God, her skin was so soft. “I would like to join you; I was just a little surprised.”

“Surprised?” Zelda chewed the inside of her cheek. 

“Thought you’d have had enough of me by now,” Lilith grinned. Zelda’s lips parted in a surprised little chuckle and Lilith revelled in the sound and the way her eyes sparkled with it. 

“Not yet.”

Lilith’s grin widened and she bit her lip. 

“Then yes, I’d love to have lunch. Does this mean I get the best cupcake?”

“I think you’ll have a fight on your hands; the way some people were looking at them.” Zelda’s voice was soft, but Lilith heard her and gave a low chuckle. 

“Well, I-”

“Alright, break is over!” Faustus called, interrupting them. Lilith glanced up, surprised. She had almost forgotten that they were still in the rehearsal room, surrounded by people. 

Zelda offered her another small smile and they moved back to the centre. Lilith found herself keeping close. Not too close; she wasn’t looking to come across like a stalker. But she couldn’t help the pull that the woman seemed to have over her. 

They went through the scenes again and Lilith tried to focus on being Velma. It was a challenge, since every time she looked at Zelda, something bubbled up inside her, filling her with warmth. 

“That’s lunch,” the stage manager called and everyone sagged in relief. No one would feel guilty eating a cupcake, or even two, after what Faustus had put them through for the whole morning. Especially if he continued after lunch. Movement towards bags began. 

“Don’t forget,” Zelda’s voice called out, surprising everyone. Lilith caught her eyes and offered her an encouraging smile, noting the way her hands played nervously over her stomach. “Cupcakes are here for everyone.”

The cast seemed to perk up, and collected their bags as they all bustled out of the room. Lilith grabbed hers eagerly. 

“Where are you rushing to?” Agatha asked, hooking her own bag over her shoulder. “That desperate for a cupcake?”

“Zelda invited me to join her for lunch, actually.”

“Oh, Lilith, you’ve got it bad.”

“I have not,” Lilith hissed, lowering her voice. “She’s… I think we could be friends.”

“Mhmm, but is that all you want?”

“Shut up,” Lilith rolled her eyes. “It’s just lunch.”

“Well alright…” Agatha smirked. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.”

Lilith rolled her eyes and headed over to where Zelda was waiting. The red-head reached out, handing her a cupcake. 

“I saved you one. It was getting a little… feral.” Her lips twitched in a hint of a smile and Lilith’s followed suit. 

“Sounds about right; thank you.” She took the cupcake, ignoring the little sparks that shot across her skin where their fingers brushed. “So… lunch.”

“Yes. Did you bring some with you, or…?” Zelda trailed off as Lilith held open the door for her. “Thank you.”

Lilith shrugged and followed after her, hiding a smile. 

“No, I was going to nip out to get food. You?”

“I sometimes go to the salad bar across the street and I had planned to do that today, but if you want something else…?”

“Salad sounds good actually. Especially if I’m eating this afterwards.” Lilith raised her cupcake in a salute. 

“I don’t think you need to worry.” Zelda’s voice was low and quiet but Lilith caught it. 

“No.” Lilith cocked her head with a grin. A light blush spread across Zelda’s cheeks and she quickened her pace, Lilith falling into step beside her. 
They made it across the street and surveyed the menu while standing in the queue. 

“What do you want?” Lilith asked. Zelda was chewing on the inside of her lip as she considered the board and Lilith thought it was very endearing. 

“Oh I always get the same thing,” Zelda replied. “Chicken salad.”

“Then why do you look like you’re trying to work out what you want?”

“Because I always think I should try something different, and then I just end up getting the same thing.”

“Well,” Lilith leaned back on the counter, grinning at her. “Why don’t you tell me what catches your eye, and I’ll get it. Then you can try it and see if you like it ready for next time.”

“There’ll be a next time?” Zelda raised her eyebrow, smiling gently. Lilith desperately wanted to see her full smile, but she knew that it had been a sensitive topic the previous night, so she settled for planning to coax it out at some point. 

“Unless you’re planning to never get lunch with me again the rest of the run?”

“Oh, I don’t know,” Zelda’s lips twitched. “That depends on your table manners.”

Lilith laughed outright and shook her head. 

“See? I knew you were funny.”

“A secret you swore to keep,” Zelda replied, biting her lip. 

“Shame it’s a secret,” Lilith mused. “Cupcakes and a sense of humour? No one would be able to resist.”

“Oh? “Zelda’s lips pulled into a smug smirk that made Lilith’s stomach flip. “Are you saying you can’t resist me?”

Lilith cleared her throat and glanced up back at the salad menu to avoid the blush she could feel threatening to spread across her neck. When she looked back at Zelda, the woman was looking at her curiously. Did the woman seriously not know what effect she could have on people?

“Well I’m here, aren’t I?”

Zelda opened her mouth to respond, but the guy at the counter called them up. 

“Decided yet?” Lilith asked as they moved up. 

“What if you don’t like what I get?”

“I will pretty much eat anything,” Lilith shrugged. “Except mushrooms.”

“You don’t like mushrooms?”

“I don’t like the way they make me swell up like a balloon,” Lilith chuckled. Zelda raised her eyebrow, then nodded. 

“Good to know. No mushrooms.” She turned to the cashier. “Hello. We’ll get a chicken salad and a… beetroot, grilled veg and cheese salad please. No mushrooms in either.”

Zelda glanced at Lilith to check that the order was okay, and Lilith’s stomach grumbled as she nodded. Zelda reached for her purse and put a hand on Lilith’s arm when she reached for her own. 

“You have to let me pay,” Lilith argued. 

“No, I invited you; it’s my treat.”

“But…”

“Lilithm one thing you should know about me is that I rarely lose arguments. I tend to get what I want.”

Zelda’s voice was low enough that Lilith raised her own eyebrow with a smirk. 

“Really? That’s something we appear to have in common.” Zelda chuckled as she paid, shaking her head, and they moved to the side to wait. “I’ll get the next one.”

“We’ll see.”

“Oh we will?” Lilith chuckled again, enjoying Zelda’s playful side. 

“Yes, Lilith.” Zelda smirked. She stepped closer and Lilith’s breath caught as they came face to face. For one crazy moment, Lilith thought Zelda might be about to kiss her, but then she leaned past her and collected the salads from the counter, thanking the cashier. When she returned to her space in front of Lilith, a mischievous smile played on her lips. “Where shall we eat? Here? Or would you like to go back?”

“Here is fine, unless you’re eager to be interrupted every few minutes?”

“No, not really,” Zelda smiled. “The corner, by the window? It’s my favourite spot.”

“After you,” Lilith gestured and then followed Zelda to the empty table. They sat down; Zelda shrugging off her jacket. “Why?”

“Why what?”

“Why is it your favourite spot?”

Zelda smiled, taking off the lid of her salad box. 

“Because I like to watch the people go by,” she replied, spiking some salad and chicken and raising it to her lips. “Be the audience instead, for once.”

Lilith considered her, then opened her own box. 

“You sound like you hate the spotlight.”

It was Zelda’s turn to consider Lilith, and she hesitated. 

“There are… things that I love about it. I love…” She paused again. “Never mind.”

“Tell me, please.” Lilith reached out automatically, but caught herself in time, laying her hand on the table instead. Zelda’s eyes hovered on it momentarily. 

“I love the moment before the show begins, when nerves and possibilities mingle into one. I love coming alive in the character, and I love working on it; building up the layers. Feeling my muscles ache and the sweat after a rehearsal or a show; knowing I’ve given it my all.”

She withdrew then and focused on her food. Lilith watched her and then slowly slid her hand over the table, until she could touch her fingers. Zelda looked up. 

“I love the moment when you realise you’re not just playing the character. When you realise you’ve become them. Everything you just said; I feel the same way.”

Zelda smiled softly and the moment hung in the air, until Lilith blinked. Zelda withdrew her hand slowly and ate another mouthful of salad. 

“I don’t like the lack of privacy, or how everyone thinks that they know you without actually getting to know you. I hate the constant pressure to be perfect…” She trailed off again, emotion clearly bubbling under the surface. Lilith lowered her eyes, giving her a moment to compose herself, and chewed on her lip. 

“Perfect isn’t possible, but we all fight for it anyway.” She looked up, noticing Zelda was still slightly distracted by whatever thoughts had invaded her head. “This salad is pretty close though. Want some?”

Zelda blinked and then a look of relief seemed to wash over her face. 

“Yes, thank you.”

They traded boxes and Lilith watched as Zelda tried her new order. 

“What do you think?”

“It’s delicious.”

“Better than the chicken?”

“Try it and see,” Zelda smiled. Lilith dug in. “Well?”

“Really good.”

Zelda’s smile broadened until a flash of teeth caught Lilith’s attention, before the red head lowered her head. They ate their salads, occasionally hooking some from the other woman’s box; a cheeky exchange that Lilith had begun in an attempt to draw forth another chuckle from her lunch companion. 

It had worked. 

When Lilith reached for her cupcake after they finished their salads, Zelda retrieved a tub from her bag which contained a slightly squashed cupcake. 

“Cute,” Lilith said. “Is that one Sabrina made?”

“I made this one,” Zelda said, raising her eyebrow and frowning. Lilith, who had been about to take a bite of her cupcake, almost choked on air. 

“Shit… sorry, I… erm…” Zelda laughed, leaving Lilith a little thrown. It was a sound that no one could tire of and she found herself leaning closer in spite of her confusion. “What?”

“I’m kidding. Do you really think I would use this many sprinkles?”

Lilith rolled her eyes, chuckling. 

“Alright, I admit, you got me.” She took a bite of the cupcake and moaned. “Oh my god, this is delicious.”

Zelda’s cheeks were pink as she replied: 

“Well, I’ll pass on your compliments to Hilda.”

“You live together, right? How do you look that good if she can cook and bake like this?”

Zelda’s blush deepened and she shook her head. 

“I told you last night; I work hard.”

“Well, it shows.”

“Are you trying to make me blush?”

“Yes,” Lilith grinned, swiping frosting from the cupcake with her finger and licking it off smugly. “And it’s working.”

Zelda nudged her with her foot, smirking. 

“I get the feeling you enjoy teasing me.”

“I do.”

“Well then, I shall just have to tease you back.”

“Bring it on,” Lilith smirked, eyebrow raised in challenge.

Zelda leaned on her elbow and raised her eyebrow in an amused challenge; her lips in smile. 

“Oh, it’s on.”

Lilith felt heat curl in her stomach as she surveyed Zelda. Damn, if she wasn’t the most gorgeous, delightful woman…

*** 

Lilith held the door open for Zelda as they walked out of the salad bar. They had ten minutes to get back to rehearsal and Lilith almost wished they didn’t have to return at all. 

Zelda hesitated as they reached the other side of the street, wrapping her jacket closer around herself. 

“I was going to have a cigarette. I don’t know if you want to join me?”
“Yes,” Lilith said, and as Zelda opened her mouth, she quickly added, “I won’t smoke. But I’ll keep you company. If you like.”

“Yes,” Zelda smiled. “I would like that.”

Lilith grinned, stepping towards the gate to the alley that they had smoked in before, but just as she reached it, she heard their names being called. 

“Zelda, Lilith!” They turned to see the stage manager ushering them towards the door. “Blackwood wants everyone back for an announcement. Hurry up; you know he’s not in a good mood.”

Lilith glanced at Zelda, frowning and then they both went inside. 

“What do you think it’s about?” Lilith muttered under her breath as they climbed the stairs. 

“I’m not sure,” Zelda replied. 

Suddenly, ice slid through Lilith’s veins. 

“Maybe… maybe he’s found Mary’s replacement.”

Zelda paused, a momentary halt in her step that Lilith only noticed because she was hyper aware of everything the woman did. 

“Perhaps,” she responded as her step resumed. 

Lilith’s chest seemed to close up as she took the last few steps, and when they paused outside the door, she was struggling to breathe past the lump in her throat. She hadn’t thought it would last, but the idea that it would now all be ripped away from her… 

“Hey,” Zelda’s warm, soothing voice cut through her anxiety as she took Lilith’s hand in hers. Lilith blinked, looking down at their entwined fingers. “Are you okay?”

“I just… I don’t want to give it up.”

Zelda’s eyes softened so much that Lilith’s heart pulled. A little squeeze to her fingers made it stop all together. 

“If he’s letting you go, he’s a fool.” She said it in a hushed whisper, aware that the rest of the cast was likely already in the room beyond, but Lilith heard it loud and clear as if she had stood up and proclaimed it on stage. “You’re talented and it’s about time people saw that.”

With another squeeze of Lilith’s hand, Zelda released her and grasped the handle, giving Lilith a last look to check that she was okay. Lilith nodded, straightening and taking a deep breath. 

Together, they walked inside. 

Faustus turned to look at who had just entered and Lilith caught him dragging his eyes over Zelda as she removed her jacket, before his eyes landed on her. 

“Ah, good, just who I needed.” All eyes in the room flicked to Lilith and she swallowed, dropping her bag and jacket next to Zelda’s. “Lilith, as of now, you will no longer be filling in as Velma.”

Lilith’s heart sank. That was it. She was done. Back to the chorus, again. It hurt more than she’d imagined. 

“It’s a stroke of genius on my part, really,” Faustus continued. “The classic Broadway tale; understudy waiting in the wings, yearning for the spotlight, ready to take on the role when the star falls. Plucked from obscurity by a Director with vision to see beyond the chorus to the talent amongst them… I’ve already let the Times know. Of course, you’ll have to be fitted for costumes, although you don’t look too far off Wardwell’s size anyway.”

Wait… what?

“Sorry… fitted?”

“For the costumes.” Faustus rolled his eyes. “I’m saying you’re Velma, Demons. You’ll have to work hard but I think I can make you ready in time; make you a star.”

Lilith’s brain was having a hard time keeping up, but she didn’t have much chance to process before Agatha collided with her, cheering. Roz appeared next, and soon she was surrounded by her cast mates, congratulating her. Stunned, Lilith could only grin as her heart beat so loud she could barely hear her friends. As Faustus called for order, and Lilith was released from the biggest hug she’d ever allowed, she caught Zelda’s eyes. 

She was smiling. 

“Alright, alright, we’re back in two minutes. Try to keep the shrieking to a minimum. And Demons, you’re here an hour early tomorrow for a costume fitting. Don’t be late!”

“I won’t. Thank you, Faustus, I… you won’t regret it.” Lilith’s heart was swelling; she could barely contain herself. 

“I had better not.” His tone should have chilled her, but Lilith was too happy. As her friends pulled her aside for more congratulations, already planning another celebratory night out which, for once, Lilith didn’t hate the idea of, she saw Zelda stepping out of the way. Withdrawing. 

Lilith pulled out of Roz’s hug enough to call after her. 

“Hey, Spellman.”

Zelda turned, raising her eyebrow, her lips pursed in half amusement at the use of her last name. 

“Yes?”

“You’ll come celebrate, won’t you? At the weekend?”

Zelda hesitated. 

“Yes, come!” Agatha smiled. “You’d be welcome, as long as you don’t try and get out of singing. We have to go to karaoke.”

“Karaoke?” Zelda’s eyebrow quirked again, a little smirk on her face as she looked at Lilith. “Well… how can I refuse?”

Notes:

So anyone who is on my instagram and sees my stories knows that the costume fitting was brought up... well I guess you know that's happening soon ;)

Chapter 7: Costumes

Summary:

It's the costume fitting...

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lilith

Lilith woke up when it was still dark. She lay in bed, staring up at the ceiling, listening to the sounds of the city as her smile grew and grew. 

Velma. She was Velma. Her dreams of playing any lead part had started to feel like they were slipping away, let alone the part she most wanted. And now…

She got out of bed, showered again, and then dressed for the part. She slid her fingers over the black polo neck leotard that showed off her arms and had a keyhole back, and considered whether to wear shorts or leggings with it. They weren’t experiencing particularly warm weather, but she did have the costume fitting and then rehearsal afterwards… 

Lilith compromised, pulling on black capri leggings and grabbing her bag. She studied herself critically and then grabbed her leather jacket and a thick scarf. It would do for today. 

Her boots kept her warm as she strode across the street and slid her earphones into her ears, humming along to the music. The earlier hour meant there were less people around and she enjoyed the cool air and the solitude. 

Once inside, she hurried up the stairs and slid her earphones into her bag while she searched for where the costume fitting was. Seeing a light on, she opened the door and slipped in to find an older woman with glasses on her nose sewing. 

“Hi, is this the right place for the costume fitting?”

“Yes dear, you must be Lilith?” She smiled warmly and beckoned Lilith further inside. The door closed behind her and Lilith began to confirm, when her attention was drawn by the door at the other end of the small room opening. 

“It fits perfectly, Alma, I don’t know how you do it…” Zelda trailed off as she realised that they had company. She stopped dead in her tracks, lips parted, staring at Lilith. 

Lilith’s eyes traced over Zelda and she swallowed. Her neck, shoulders and arms were bare, save for the thin straps that held up the creamy chemise with silver detailing along the  slight v of the chest. It fell to around mid thigh, and gave way to stockings. The material was satin and showed the lines of the girdle underneath and it was this that finally forced Lilith’s eyes back up to Zelda’s face, heat spreading up her neck and across her cheeks. 

“Hi.” Her voice came out deeper and raspier than usual and she dropped her gaze, pretending to adjust her bag. 

“Lilith… of course. Sorry, I had forgotten you would be here.”

“That’s okay,” Lilith looked back up, keeping her eyes on Zelda’s and not allowing them to look down. “You look amazing. Is this for when you shoot Fred?”

Zelda’s hand slid across her stomach and she kept her arm there, almost protectively.  

“Yes, it is.”

“It’s beautiful.” You’re beautiful. 

“Your turn,” Alma interrupted Lilith’s thoughts, standing and gesturing for her to put her bag down and take off her jacket. Alma left her and went to Zelda. Lilith shedded her jacket, trying and failing to keep her eyes from Zelda, who was being inspected by Alma. “Good, good. You can move in it, yes? Good. Next one then, if you please, Zelda.”

Zelda glanced over at Lilith again and her eyes scanned over the woman. Her tongue flicked out to wet her lips as she turned to head back into the other room and Lilith felt the heat from earlier return in full force.  

“Uh… what do you need from me?” She asked, dragging her eyes to Alma instead of on Zelda’s retreating figure. 

“Going to measure you first, see if you’ll fit into Mary’s costumes with some alterations, or if we need entirely new ones.”

“Right, okay.” Lilith smoothed down her leotard nervously and then stood, taking Alma’s directions as she raised her arms, dropped them; on and on until she had a full set of measurements. 

“Good. Not too far; you’re a little bigger around the bust but that shouldn’t be a problem.” Alma beckoned her over to a rail where a series of beautiful costumes in mostly black, with a few red elements, appeared. The only different outfit was the sparkling silver and gold number for the finale, where she and Zelda would match for the Nowadays/All that Jazz number. Lilith ran her fingers over it and a thrill went through her. 

It was really happening. She was Velma. 

“These are beautiful.”

“I know, thank you,” Alma said. “Now take these and try them. Go into the other room.”

“Isn’t Zelda in there?”

“Yes, what, you’re shy? All of you get changed in front of the entire cast backstage and you’re worried about one person?”

“No…” Lilith collected the costumes that Alma was piling in her arms carefully. “No problem.”

“Good. That way no one walks in on you changing here by accident. Go, go.”

Alma shooed her away and Lilith crossed to the door and knocked on it before opening it slightly. 

“Hey Spellman, are you decent?”

“Come in, Lilith.”

She pushed open the door further and found Zelda in a beautiful silver number; thousands of thin strands of sequins falling around her body; cinched at the waist. 

“Wow.”

Zelda’s cheeks flushed and she ducked her head momentarily before looking back up at Lilith with an amused glint in her eye. 

“What a compliment; I shall be sure to tell Alma.”

Lilith chuckled, laying her costumes on a table like Zelda had and studying them; running her fingers over the material. 

“They’re so beautiful.”

“You’ve been in costumes before.”

“Yes but… somehow they all seem far more glamorous now that I’m…”

“A lead? Well…” Zelda stepped a little closer until she was shoulder to shoulder with Lilith, looking down at the costumes. “I can understand that. They are beautiful.”

“They really are.”

Lilith looked sideways at Zelda and smiled. Zelda’s eyebrow rose and she smirked a little. 

“What?”

“Nothing. You just seem… happy. Alive.”

“I was dead before?” Zelda teased. 

“No,” Lilith rolled her eyes. “I just mean that you seem to have this new energy recently.”

“Well,” Zelda mused. “Maybe that’s because it’s so close to show time. Or… Perhaps it’s because I have a friend in the show, for once.”

Lilith’s breath caught under Zelda’s meaningful gaze and when the red head looked down, smoothing her dress, Lilith finally inhaled again. 

“Well… I’m glad. I like being your friend. Getting to know you.” Lilith watched Zelda’s fingers twitching and then her hand slide across her stomach. She recognised the sign for what it was and slowly turned, sliding her hand over Zelda’s and gently pulling it from her stomach. “You do this when you’re anxious or embarrassed. What’s the matter?”

Zelda’s skin was soft, smooth and Lilith stroked her thumb over her wrist as Zelda’s expression slipped from guarded, to unsure, to somewhere between. 

“I’m just… not used to being so comfortable so quickly with someone.” Zelda admitted finally. 

“I’m not exactly the most open person either,” Lilith reassured. “I mean, I’m not going around giving out cuddles and stuff to everyone.”
“Well,” Zelda cleared her throat and straightened up, pulling herself back into her usual strength. Lilith accepted the change and released Zelda’s arm, having realised she was still holding her. “I guess we’re both learning something then.”

Lilith grinned. 

“Looks like.” She glanced down at the costumes. “So, which one should I put on first?”

Zelda smirked and then her fingers traced over the costumes. Lilith watched her, until she paused on Velma’s traditional black structured dress that they both knew had to be from Cell Block Tango. 

“This one. It’s the simplest. Then go upwards until you reach the Nowadays number. Although…” Her fingers traced to another costume; corset and fringed skirt that was probably the sexiest number. “I can’t wait to see you do that knee slide in this.”

“You think this is for Can’t Do it Alone?” Lilith smirked, although her throat had dried a little at the image. Zelda couldn’t wait to see her do that? 

“Has to be,” Zelda smirked back. “You’ll steal their hearts.”

“I’m not sure it’s their hearts this costume is targeting,” Lilith chuckled. 

“No,” Zelda mused, a teasing and amused smile teasing at her lips. “I’m quite sure it isn’t.”

With that she slipped away, leaving Lilith watching after her as she went into the other room. 

***

Zelda

Zelda held still while Alma put some pins in the back of her dress. The straps needed shortening slightly but other than that the costume was perfect, as usual. 

She smoothed her fingers over the fringing of the dress and took a breath. 

“What’s the matter?” Alma’s voice came from over her shoulder. 

“Oh, nothing. Sorry, did I move too much?”

“No, but I’ve done costumes for five of your shows now, Zelda. Something is different.”

Zelda hesitated. Her hand strayed to her stomach again and then the memory of Lilith’s fingers on her wrist, tracing up to her hand to remove it, flooded back to the front of her mind. She smiled and dropped her hand. 

“I’m trying to be less closed off, Alma. It’s taking a moment to adjust, that’s all.”

“Oh? Any particular reason?”

Alma reappeared in front of her with a knowing smile on her face. Zelda’s eyebrows furrowed and she opened her mouth to question the woman. 

“What do you think?” 

They both turned to find Lilith striding out in the costume Zelda had suggested that she tried first. The thick black straps framed  her nicely and there was a window cut in the front of the dress; the sweetheart cut of it emphasising her breasts. Zelda’s eyes lingered and then dipped down, taking in her long, bare legs. She swallowed. 

Alma bustled over and made Lilith spin around, checking the movement of the dress and the slight tightness around her chest. 

“Not as bad as I thought. I’m probably going to have to make a couple of alterations but if they’re all as close as this then at least I don’t have to start from scratch. An inch should do around the breasts, maybe an inch in at the waist. Alright, next.”

With that, Alma shooed Lilith back towards the door; Lilith shot Zelda an amused look. Zelda bit her lip, covering her smile and then Alma was back with her. 

“You too,” the woman shooed her. “Be careful with the pins.”

“Alright,” Zelda crossed the floor and opened the door, slipping inside and then freezing. 

Lilith was standing by her costume table, wearing a black sports bralette and matching underwear. She glanced up when Zelda walked in and smiled, before looking back at the costumes. 

“I’m in love with these costumes.”

Zelda’s eyes couldn’t help themselves; they drank in every inch of Lilith on display. She had known Lilith had muscles but her thighs… the definition was incredible. Her stomach swelled a little, less than Zelda’s own, and she was thinner too, but curved. Little freckles peppered her skin and she looked soft and strong… Zelda licked her lips. Well… 

“Zelda?” Lilith’s voice was amused and Zelda’s eyes snapped back up to her face, feeling heat spreading up her neck at having been caught staring. 

“I… sorry, what did you say?”

Lilith chuckled and picked up one of the costumes; the shiny black number that was likely for her opening act. 

“Are you alright? You zoned out there.”

“I’m fine,” Zelda replied, arching her eyebrow and pulling on a veil of indifference. She stepped further into the room and fixed her eyes on her own costumes. “Just tired.”

“Because of all the rehearsals, or did you just not sleep?”

“Sleeping when living with a young child can be difficult.”

It was true, she hadn’t gotten that much sleep the night before, but that had not been the reason she had zoned out. Still, she couldn’t very well admit to ogling Lilith. It could make her uncomfortable, and Zelda didn’t really understand why she was doing it.

Not that she’d not been with women before but it had been a long time since she’d been so distracted by anyone, let alone someone that she was working with. It was incredibly unprofessional. Besides, they had just begun a friendship. That was already a significant step and Zelda didn’t want to mess that up by developing some sort of… attraction. 

Still… Lilith was beautiful. 

“I can imagine. But I can tell you wouldn’t have it any other way,” Lilith smiled, slipping into the costume. She pulled the straps over her shoulders and smoothed it out. “What do you think?”

Zelda allowed herself to look at her again properly. 

“You look incredible.”

“Oh yes?” Lilith smirked a little. “Want to dance with me, Zelda?”

Zelda rolled her eyes, shooting a rueful smile at her. 

“You had better go and show Alma.” She started carefully peeling the straps of her own dress off and saw Lilith avert her eyes. The dress caught. “For goodness sake.”

“You okay?” Lilith hesitated on her way out. 

“It’s just caught; I’ll get it.”

“Are you sure? I can help.”

“No,” Zelda said quickly; it came out more snappish than she had intended. “Sorry, I just… I’ve got it.”

“Alright then,” Lilith headed for the door and Zelda waited until the door had closed before trying again. The pin poked her and she hissed. Damn. She tried a few more times, but there was definitely a pin or two attached to her bra. Gritting her teeth, Zelda was forced to wait for Lilith to come back. 

“Alma wants us to both come out in the… you’re still in that one.” Lilith paused as she reentered the room and found Zelda sitting on the table with her feet on the chair in front. 

“I’m stuck.” Lilith’s lips twitched and Zelda felt a small shiver of irritation at the idea of being laughed at, run through her. “It’s not funny.”

“No, absolutely not.” Lilith said, although the teasing in her voice was clear. “It is absolutely not funny that you are stuck. Not at all.”

Zelda rolled her eyes, but she felt the irritation sliding away as quickly as it had reared its head. Instead a little smile twitched at her lips again. What was it about this woman?

“Fine, it may be a little funny. Now help me before I lose my sense of humour.”

“Heaven forbid,” Lilith grinned and then slipped closer. “Turn around then.”

Zelda turned slowly, and dragged her hair over one shoulder, baring her back. 

“I think Alma pinned it to my bra.”

“Looks like it.” Zelda could have sworn that Lilith’s voice was an octave lower, but all thoughts flew from her brain when she felt fingers against the strap, brushing her skin. She shivered and Lilith’s fingers fluttered to a stop. “Are you alright?”

Definitely an octave lower now. 

“Yes.”

Damn, her own voice was lower than before too. 

Lilith’s fingers moved again, and Zelda felt pressure move from her bra strap. Breath tickled her shoulder and Zelda swallowed, taking a breath and trying to focus. 
“One more,” Lilith husked and then her fingers moved again. Rough knuckles brushed against Zelda’s skin and she bit her lip. “Hold still, I need to re-pin it so Alma doesn’t kill me.”

Zelda chuckled throatily and then Lilith’s fingers left her and she felt her move away. Zelda looked over her shoulder. 

“Done?”

“Done.” Lilith wetted her lips. “So Alma wants us both in the Nowadays outfit; she wants to see them together.”

“We’d better change then.”

Lilith nodded but didn’t move. Zelda arched her eyebrow and Lilith’s eyes widened slightly. 

“Right. Changing.”

She moved to her table and Zelda averted her eyes. She wasn’t sure she could cope with seeing Lilith stripped again. Still, as she slipped off her own costume and reached for the other, she couldn’t help but glance over. 

Lilith glanced over at the same time as she did and their eyes locked. Zelda took a breath and she watched Lilith swallow, give a small smile and then avert her eyes. 

What was that? 

***

Lilith

Get. Your. Head. On. Straight.

Staring at Zelda was unprofessional and downright unacceptable. Zelda catching her was mortifying. Lilith supposed she hadn’t actually stared, just glanced up and caught her eyes. But the itch to look up had been overwhelming; knowing Zelda was just a few feet from her, slipping out of that costume. She’d seen the glittering out of the corner of her eyes as it slid off and her mind had filled with images and questions of whether Zelda’s soft, smooth skin was as pale and unblemished everywhere. 

So maybe her head would never be on straight, but then it never had been. 

Lilith kept her eyes averted until they were both dressed again, and she glanced over to find Zelda admiring the dress on herself. 

“They’re beautiful,” she offered, twisting in her own dress and watching the beaded fringe flying out around her. 
Zelda smiled. 

“They are.”

“Well, I suppose we had better go and show Alma.”

The older woman stood up when they both reappeared and spread her hands out with a smile on her face. 

“Beautiful.” She gestured for them both to turn and they did. Lilith grinned at Zelda as they did and Zelda’s smile widened until her cheeks were so prominent that they made Lilith bite her lip. “Comfortable? Any areas clinging?”

“Mine is perfect,” Zelda said. 

“It might be a little tight here,” Lilith gestured to her chest again. “But it’s manageable. We don’t want it too loose, right?”

“Not unless you’re intending to give them a different kind of show,” Zelda murmured and Lilith snorted, covering her mouth as she choked on her laughter. Zelda’s eyes sparkled, amused. 

Alma studied them with a little smile and then shooed them back to the other room. 

“Go, go. Lilith, try on other costumes. Zelda you’re done, yes?”

“Yes,” Zelda replied. Lilith felt disappointment slide through her and pushed it aside. They’d be spending most of the day together, after all. 

“So, are you going to be able to come this weekend?” Lilith asked as they began to change. Zelda glanced over and then averted her eyes. 

“Yes. I mentioned it to Hilda and she’s unsurprisingly over the moon at the prospect of me having, and I quote, ‘the chance at true friendship with that lovely woman’.”

Lilith chuckled and shook her head. 

“Damn. Lovely woman? I don’t know if I’ve ever been referred to in such flowery language.”

“My sister has a slight flair for the dramatic which she utilises away from the stage.”

“Give it a few years and Sabrina will be treading the boards then?”

“If she wishes. I would like it to be her choice, although given the heated dramatics I’ve seen when she loses her favourite toy or wants a cookie, I imagine it’s likely.”

“I bet you were just the same as a child.”

“I was not,” Zelda replied reproachfully, although her lips twitched. “I was a very well behaved child.”

“I can imagine that, I suppose. But I bet you were a wild teenager.”

Zelda’s lips curved into a small smirk. 

“I may have gotten into some mischief.”

“Now those are some stories I want to hear.”

“We’ll see,” Zelda teased. “Shouldn’t you be getting dressed instead of trying to figure me out?”

Lilith glanced down at herself, realising she was in her underwear. 

“Ah, yes. Right.” She grabbed the number for Can’t do it alone and slipped it on. Heading for the door she stopped by Zelda. “Maybe I should test that knee slide. See if I can do it in the costume.”

Zelda rolled her eyes and shooed her towards Alma’s room. 

“You’re trouble.”

“You like it.”

***

Zelda

Zelda was sore. The rehearsal had been hard, with Faustus constantly pushing for perfection, and it had been a longer day than usual because of the fitting. All she wanted was to go home and sink into a hot bath. Maybe indulge in some dark chocolate and a scotch. 

She dragged her shoes off of her feet and put them in her bag before pulling on her more comfortable boots. Sometimes she envied the comfort of casual footwear that the dancers preferred, like uggs, but then she looked at them and couldn’t help her disdain. No, she would not be caught dead in those. 

“Zelda, a word?”

Faustus appeared above her and Zelda felt a groan building in her throat. She swallowed it down and gave him a polite smile. 

“Faustus, how can I help?”

“I wanted to talk to you about your characterisation. Perhaps we could grab a drink and discuss.”

Zelda felt drawn out, as though she might snap any second. Did he really have no clue that she wasn’t interested or did he simply not care? 

The latter, she decided. Then she could afford to be a little less nice when she declined. 

“Faustus, I appreciate that you are determined to make this show the best that it can be but I would prefer to keep our discussions within rehearsal time. I am tired and not interested in going out for drinks with you when I could be going home to sleep. So, unless you want me to be less than fresh tomorrow…?”

Faustus’s jaw tightened and his eyes darkened, but he seemed to be holding his temper… for now. 

“Well, if that’s how you feel, Zelda. Although I rather thought you were more committed than this.”

Zelda stood, drawing herself up to her full height as she put her bag over her shoulder. 

“I do believe that we both know just how committed I am to this role, Faustus. To state otherwise would be a foolish thing, and I had never taken you for a man without intelligence.”

Faustus bristled and stepped closer, his jaw working in fury as he went to speak. 

Zelda felt an arm slide around her and jumped. 

“Hey, ready to go? Thanks so much for giving me a lift.”

Lilith’s appearance seemed to give Faustus pause and he pulled back, his face cooling from the red that it had been developing. 

“Lilith, you are interrupting our conversation.”

“I am?” Lilith looked mortified and yet Zelda felt her squeeze her waist. “I’m so sorry. I just really want to get my rest so I can do a good job tomorrow, with the chance you’ve given me. And Zelda kindly offered to take me home when we were on break, so I just came to check she was ready.”

“I’m ready,” Zelda replied, catching on. “If Faustus has nothing more to say?”

Faustus looked like he had plenty more to say, but he seemed to have regained his composure enough to withdraw. 

“No, nothing more. We shall continue this conversation at a later point.”

With that he turned and went back to his table to gather up his notes. Lilith’s arm remained around Zelda’s waist for a few more moments, enough for her to squeeze her again as she released her and stepped back. 

“Sorry,” she murmured in a low voice. “I know it’s not my business but he seemed to be bothering you, and I can’t stand people who can’t take a hint.”

Zelda refrained from replying. Instead, she turned and placed her hand on Lilith’s back, guiding her to the door. They walked down the corridor, then down the stairs and Zelda’s nerves began to relax as they headed outside. She breathed it in, trying to lower her shoulders from where they had tensed to almost around her ears. 

Lilith watched quietly as she rummaged in her bag for a cigarette, feeling relief as she found the box and pulled one out. 

“Walk with me?” Zelda said finally, as she lit her cigarette and took her first big drag. 

“Of course.”

They headed down the side of the road, Zelda smoking and letting it soothe her. It was a bad habit, she knew, but right now she craved and needed it. It had been years; why did Faustus still persist? 

“He invited me to dinner with the executives. Only when I got there it was just him. He was just asking if I wanted to go for a drink to discuss my characterisation.”

Zelda wasn’t entirely sure why she was telling Lilith this, but Faustus was like a toxin that she wanted out of her bloodstream and the only way she could think to get rid of this choking feeling was to spill it out of her. 

“That day when I walked in on you…”

“He was making it clear that he was interested in us becoming… friends, again.”

Lilith caught her arm and stopped them in their tracks. 

“Were you both… did you used to date?”

“No,” Zelda replied and suddenly the cool relief of disdain for the comment soothed the itching, burning sensation of dislike she had for Faustus. “We never dated. We fucked, once. There was a lot of alcohol involved. He has never forgotten the night and I… I don’t remember much of it.”

“Did he… he didn’t…?”

“No,” Zelda assured her. “It was a night of celebration after our first show together ended and I was wild back then. I thought nothing of losing my self control. And he was there and we were young… in the morning I left and when he tried to romance me back to his bed I told him it was a one time thing. He didn’t like that. Fortunately the show had given me opportunities and I came here. I heard Faustus had followed and we saw each other at awards evenings occasionally. He got married and I assumed that he had gotten over me.”

“But he hasn’t.”

“It appears not.”

“You know this is harassment, right?”

“Lilith,” Zelda warned. “I didn’t tell you this so you could treat me as though I am ignorant of the way of the world. Please don’t think I need a white knight; I can handle Faustus and if he persists well… I’m sure the producers wouldn’t want a scandal on their hands so close to opening night.”

Lilith raised her eyebrow and her jaw worked itself, as though she were trying to calm herself. A vein in her forehead was suddenly noticeable and Zelda’s attention was momentarily drawn by it as it throbbed. 

“Very well,” Lilith said finally. “I won’t pry. But if you need me, I’m here. And I have no problem with ending him if he lays so much as a finger on you.”

“Hardly necessary,” Zelda sniffed, and then softened. “But the sentiment is appreciated.”

Lilith offered her a smile and after a moment of hesitation, Zelda smiled too. Her shoulders relaxed a little. 

“Well,” Lilith said, shifting. “I should be getting home. I’m exhausted.”

“I do believe I promised you a ride.”

“You don’t have to. I just said that so you had an out if you needed it.”

“Well, consider it repayment for giving me that opportunity. Besides… I don’t mind.”

Lilith’s smile curled upwards and Zelda’s stomach warmed. 

“This way then.”

Notes:

Well that was fun... *insert devil smirk emoji here*

Chapter 8: Karaoke P.1

Summary:

It's time for some karaoke... or is it?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Zelda smoothed her hand over her stomach and bit her lip, eyeing the outfit critically. She hadn’t been on a night out for a long time, let alone a karaoke night with people she was just getting to know, and she had no real clue what the dress code was. 

Strapless, with a band around her waist and a slit at the back to allow her more freedom to move; the red dress fit her perfectly. Still, perhaps it was a little too dressy? She pursed her lips and stepped away from the mirror, twisting to look at the back. Perhaps a little too much skin? She could wear a leather jacket with it of course… Her lips twitched at the idea. What would Lilith, almost permanently attached to her leather jacket, think of her showing up in a matching one?

Zelda shook her head. Lilith probably wouldn’t even notice what she was wearing. The whole night was to celebrate her and her promotion to Velma; she likely wouldn’t have much time to spend with Zelda at all. 

Anxiety gnawed at her stomach and she put her hand there again, inhaling deeply, and trying to settle her nerves. The cast had been particularly friendly towards her for the last few days, since the cupcakes, and she knew that a large part of that was because of Lilith. They wouldn’t exclude her if Lilith was too busy to talk. 

At least she hoped not. 

“Oh, Zelds, you look beautiful.” Her sister had appeared in the doorway, beaming at her as she looked over the outfit. 

“It’s too much,” Zelda said, frowning. 

“Oh, no, I don’t think so.”

“It’s a karaoke bar; they’ll probably all be in jeans.”

Her phone lit up where she had left it to charge on her bed, distracting her as Hilda stepped into the room. Lilith’s name flashed on the screen; a new text message. They had exchanged numbers earlier in the week, when she had taken Lilith home, with the other woman cheekily suggesting that if she got lost tonight, she would need someone who could give directions. 

Zelda had failed to tell her new friend that she would be taking a cab to the bar, in case Lilith decided that she didn’t need her number after all. Still, the woman had sent her a couple of texts through the week, mainly suggestions for what she could sing at karaoke, all of which had made Zelda chuckle. They were clearly jokes, teasing, and every time she had imagined the way Lilith’s eyes lit up mischievously during their conversations, and how that little smirk of hers would widen. 

“Oh, is that Lilith?” Hilda said, peering down as the phone flashed again. “Maybe you should ask her what the dress code is.”

“Ask her what the dress code is for a cast night out to celebrate her? She’ll think I never go out.”

“Well, to be fair Zelds-”

“Yes, yes, I know. I’m not exactly a partier anymore. But I don’t need the whole world knowing I don’t have a life.” Hilda’s smile dropped a little and Zelda bit her tongue. She’d put her foot in it, again. Somehow, she always seemed to hurt her sister. “Hilda, I didn’t mean…”

“It’s fine, Zelds. I know that the change was hard for you, taking in Sabrina. I didn’t have to make much of an adjustment but you-”

“Still, I was happy to do it. And it’s not that this isn’t a good life too, I just… I feel out of place in the world I used to think I was born for, Hildy. Everything has changed and being in America is nothing like England. You’re expected to party more here, and I arrived just as our lives changed. I have never fit in here. What if I don’t fit in tonight?”

Zelda’s bottom lip trembled and she sucked in a breath, turning away from Hilda to hide her emotion. She shouldn’t be getting so worked up about a night out, it was silly, and yet the tears threatened to fall regardless. 

Hilda’s warm hand on her back, rubbing circles, soothed her as she breathed. 

“Zelda, one of the things I’ve always admired about you is that you never fit in. You were always born to stand out. I was the one that stayed obscure in the background.”

“Hildie-”

“No, no, it’s okay. I didn’t really want the attention; I was never really comfortable with it. But sometimes I wish I’d been a little braver. Done more. Met someone.”

“There’s still time, Hildie. You’re not dead yet,” Zelda replied, leaning into her sister and looking at her in the mirror with a small smile. 

“No, I’m not. And neither are you. So you’re going to go out and have a great night. Maybe you’ll meet someone?”

Zelda blushed. 

“In a bar? No, I don’t think so.”

“It could happen. Or perhaps one of the cast will-” Zelda’s cheeks heated as Lilith slid into her mind; her laugh, her cheeky smirk, the way her arms looked when she wore anything without sleeves… “Oh! I know that look! There is someone, isn’t there?”

“No,” Zelda hurriedly interrupted her, schooling her expression and cursing herself for that slip. “There’s no one.”

“Zelds…” Hilda sighed. “You don’t have to tell me, if you don’t want, but please don’t lie to me. I know that look. I’ve seen it on your face before.”

“When?” Zelda scoffed. She couldn’t think that any of the people she had presented to her family before had distracted her as much as Lilith had these last few weeks.

“Marie?”

Zelda’s eyes widened. 

“Marie?”

“Yes, yes, Edward and our parents thought you were just friends but I’m your sister, Zelds. I notice things. I saw the way you looked at each other. I saw the way that you would walk hand in hand to the end of the drive whenever she left our house, and the way that your fingers didn’t want to part. I saw you slip away with her after your first big show and when you came back your hair wasn’t as perfect as always and you weren’t wearing lipstick anymore. I notice things.”

“I-” Zelda stared at her sister, bewildered. “Marie was…”

She struggled for a response and then sighed, her shoulders sagging. 

“Marie was a long time ago. I was so young. I’m hardly likely to have my head turned again.”

“So there really isn’t anyone who has caught your eye? Not even a certain nice lady who is still texting you right now?”

Zelda’s eyes snapped to her phone, where two more texts from Lilith had come through. She picked it up, chewing her lip, avoiding her sister’s triumphant smile, and read through. 

Hey, Spellman, you’re still coming right? Can’t wait to hear you sing Barbie Girl ;) 

Zelda snorted, rolling her eyes, and scrolled down. Oh…

What do you think? Too much?

Underneath was a picture of Lilith, a selfie taken in the mirror. Zelda stared. 

Lilith was wearing tight black trousers, a blazer and… nothing else. The V went to a point somewhere mid-stomach and Zelda could see the curve of her breasts peeking out. She wore red lipstick and her hair was down; full of volume and curled waves. 

The typing bubbles appeared and Zelda held her breath. What else could Lilith add to that? Her eyes slipped back along her figure, and her arched eyebrow, pursed lips and amused twinkle. She knew she looked good. 

Shit, sorry Zelda. I meant to send that to Agatha. 

Oh. Disappointment flared in Zelda’s stomach and she frowned. 

“Everything okay?” 

Zelda started, having forgotten Hilda was there. 

“No just… a message meant for someone else.”

Hilda peeked at her phone. 

“Oh wow… she certainly scrubs up well. I suppose that answers the question about dress code for tonight.”

“Yes… I suppose it does.” Zelda chewed her lip and contemplated how to reply. 

“I say go for the dress,” Hilda said, heading for the door. “And Zelds?”

“Yes?” Zelda looked up from her phone. 

“She seems nice. Would it be so bad if you did lose your head, just a little bit?”

Zelda stared after her sister as she left the room, lips parted with nothing to say. She looked back down at her texts and pursed her lips. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so bad.

Then she shook herself. Lilith didn’t feel that way about her; she was just being friendly. 

But then Zelda had seen the way the woman looked at her during their costume fitting. She had seen the way she looked at her in rehearsal. Her heart picked up a little. What if she did like her?

Zelda sat on her bed, phone in hand, and began to type. 

Well, that certainly makes me feel better. I wondered if I was a little too overdressed. And while that may not have been meant for me, I can offer my opinion, if you would like it? 

She waited for a response for around fifteen seconds, and the moment the typing bubbles appeared she put down her phone, hurrying over to the mirror. She shouldn’t be so eager for a response. It was silly. 

She finished her makeup before returning to pick up the phone again, finding Lilith’s response. 

If you want to give your opinion, I would be an idiot not to listen. And now I’m curious; what are you wearing?

Zelda’s cheeks heated and then she chuckled. Chewing her lip, she began typing again. 

I think you look incredible.

She debated for a second and then stood, smoothing down the dress and angling herself to take a photo in the mirror. Once she had finished, she cropped her head from it, a habit from years in the business, and returned to the text screen. Lilith had replied. 

Well, in that case, I’m ready to go. 

Zelda sent the picture, followed by another text. 

I’ll be there. Looking forward to your rendition of Bieber’s Baby. 

She watched the text bubbles start, then stop, then start again a few times. She chewed her lip anxiously and glanced at the time. The taxi should be here soon. 

Well, baby, baby, oooh… damn Spellman. Did you know someone stole your head though? Shame that, I quite like it. 

Zelda chuckled, shaking her head and began to type a response when Sabrina appeared at her door. 

“Wow, Auntie Zee, you look like a princess.”

“Thank you, sweetheart,” Zelda smiled. “Are you alright?”

“Yes. Aunt Hilda said to tell you that the taxi is here.”

“Oh, thank you.” Zelda stood, collecting her bag from the bed. “Are you going to be a good girl tonight?”

“I’m always a good girl,” Sabrina pouted and Zelda laughed gently. Sabrina was a little madam, and Zelda had said no to her so many times that it was no surprise it was the child’s first word, but when she was good, she was an angel. 

“Come on, let me tuck you in before I go.”

She took Sabrina’s hand and walked down the corridor to the little girl’s room. Sabrina climbed into bed and Zelda pulled up the covers, tucking her in and sitting down to give her a kiss on her forehead. 

“Story?”

“Aunt Hilda will read you a story tonight, sweetheart. I have to go. But tomorrow night, I will read your favourite.”

Sabrina nodded sleepily and pulled her favourite teddy, a black cat named Salem because Hilda had thought it funny, close to her. She snuggled down. 

“Song?”

Zelda chuckled and shook her head. Sabrina’s bottom lip wobbled. 

“Very well, just a little bit of one. Then I have to go, alright?”

“Okay,” Sabrina nodded. 

“Alright then.” Zelda stroked Sabrina’s hair softly and began to sing. “Tender shepherd, tender shepherd, let me help you count your sheep. One in the meadow. Two in the garden. Three in the nursery, fast asleep…”

She stopped and tapped Sabrina’s nose. 

“More!”

“No, sweetheart, that’s all for tonight, or else you’ll be asleep before Aunt Hilda reads you a story. You wouldn’t want that would you?” Sabrina shook her head and snuggled down further. 

“Have fun, Auntie Zee.”

“Thank you, sweetheart. I’ll see you in the morning.” Zelda smoothed Sabrina’s blonde hair away from her face and placed another kiss on her forehead, before standing up and heading out. 

She met Hilda at the bottom of the stairs. 

“Oh, Zelda, the taxi is getting impatient.”

“I’m going now,” Zelda assured her. “Sabrina is in bed and expecting a story.”

“Thank you,” Hilda smiled. “Now go.”

“I don’t know what time I’ll be back, so don’t wait up if you’re tired,” Zelda said, heading for the door. She paused at the coat rack, surveying her choices. She didn’t want to lug a big coat around with her all night. Then, with a smile, she spotted her leather jacket. It had been a gift that at first she had been unimpressed by, but gradually she had taken to. Now, it made her think of Lilith, and of her earlier mischievous thought about how the woman would react to her wearing it. She took it off the rack and slid her arms into it, before flipping her hair free of it and turning to give a last smile to Hilda. 

“You look beautiful, Zelds,” Hilda said. Zelda hurried out before the feeling welling in her chest could overtake her. 

As she sat in the taxi, she thought over their earlier conversation. 

Both she and Hilda had given up the lives they had led when Edward and his wife Diana had died in that car crash. She still remembered soothing a crying Sabrina, who had had a dreadful nightmare, when the doorbell had rung, and the police had told them the news. 

She had remained calm, letting Sabrina cry until she was exhausted, letting Hilda cry until she was too, and then she had put them both to bed. She had returned downstairs, poured a scotch, and walked out into the night. 

Back in England, they had lived in the country. Had she been here, then, she would not have had the privacy to do what she did that night. She had followed the moon, occasionally stumbling over stones as they caught on her bare feet, until she was far enough from the house. 

She had felt the cold, but it had seemed nothing to the chill inside of her. Tears didn’t come easily; they fought to and she fought against them until eventually they were pouring hotly from her eyes and then she had thrown her head back and screamed into the dark of the night. The glass had shattered against the nearest tree and the sound of birds and other creatures scattering before her agony appeared like ripples of sound after her scream had died in her throat. She had cried for a little longer and then dashed them from her eyes, picked herself up from the floor and made her way back to the house. 

Hilda had never brought up the state of her night clothes, found dumped in the laundry the next morning, nor why Zelda had avoided heels for a week and winced when she walked. They had been strong for Sabrina. They had cared for her. And when Zelda got a role in America, they moved, leaving the ghosts behind and looking forward to a new start. 

The taxi stopped, jarring Zelda from her thoughts. 

“We’re here,” he said. Zelda took a deep breath, gathering herself. 

“Thank you.” She paid him and slipped from the taxi, pulling the leather jacket closer around her as she looked ahead at the bar. It seemed fairly clean by bar standards, if the outside was anything like the inside, and popular. Zelda took another calming breath, her hand playing across her stomach nervously. Perhaps she should have a cigarette before she went in. 

Standing under a lamppost, Zelda lit her cigarette and pulled out her phone to check the time. The text from Lilith stared back at her, unanswered; her half formed response still there. 

She deleted what she had started and began again. 

I found my head. It’s having a smoke outside and wondering if you’re already inside. 

She pressed send before she could take back the comment. Anyone would be able to read that she was nervous from it, and she only hoped that Lilith wouldn’t tease her too much about it. She took another puff of her cigarette and stared down at her legs. 

“There you are.”

Zelda looked up and found Lilith grinning at her.

God she’s breathtaking. 

Zelda’s eyes roamed, even though she tried to control them, and took in the outfit in person. It fit Lilith like a glove, and the way she stood in it, with a slight swagger, was… Zelda swallowed. 

“Here I am,” she replied, bringing her eyes back to Lilith’s face, catching Lilith’s eyes sliding over her. She quirked an eyebrow as Lilith’s eyes snapped back up to her face. 

“I was starting to worry that we had a Sleepy Hollow situation on our hands.” Lilith grinned, stepping closer. “I’m glad to see your head firmly on your shoulders.”

“Yes, well, I would hate to disappoint you on your evening.”

Lilith shifted, ducking her head slightly. 

“I think it’s any excuse for a night out, really. I’m starting to believe I really am too old for this sort of thing.”

“Oh good, me too. Shall we avoid terrible renditions of purple rain and head home for hot cocoa and an early night?” Zelda teased. Lilith’s eyes sparkled. 

“Inviting me back to yours, Spellman? How forward.”

Zelda’s cheeks flushed and she busied herself with her cigarette to recover. 

“Yes, the invitation to my house that I share with my sister and our niece; how could anyone resist?”

“Oh, I don’t know…” Lilith said, under her breath, and Zelda had the feeling she hadn’t meant to say it outloud. She focused on her cigarette, taking a last couple of puffs before crushing it under the ball of her shoe. 

“You didn’t have to come out, you know?” She said to Lilith. “I would have come in… eventually.”

“Well…” Lilith hesitated. “Honestly? I thought you might be a bit nervous and I wanted to make sure you felt comfortable.”

Zelda felt that normally she would have turned cold at such an assumption, but instead, Lilith’s words warmed her. She studied the other woman before answering. 

“Well… that was very sweet of you.”

Lilith chuckled. 

“Not sure I’ve ever been accused of being sweet before.”

“I’m sure you have. You just don’t want anyone to know.” Zelda teased gently and watched as Lilith’s lips twitched. 

“Perhaps.” Zelda chuckled, ducking her head and shivering slightly in the cold night air. Lilith’s eyes flicked over her again. “As much as I approve of this outfit, we should probably get you inside before you freeze to death.”

“You too.” Zelda’s eyes flicked over the exposed V of skin, and then flicked to where she could see hardening nipples straining against the material in the cold. She flushed and diverted her eyes as Lilith glanced down too. 

“Well… perils of being a woman. Come on, before I put someone’s eyes out.”

Zelda almost choked on the laugh that burst from her, and Lilith’s eyes shone, and her smile broadened to an almost ridiculous extent at the sight and sound. 

“You’ll ruin my icy reputation,” Zelda reprimanded as they walked through the doors. 

“I think you did that with the cupcakes.” Lilith grinned as she held the inside door open. As Zelda passed, Lilith leaned in a little closer, catching her elbow. The music was loud, the dreadful singing even louder, but Zelda heard her all the same as Lilith murmured in her ear. “Or when I found you with icing on your cheek wondering which potatoes to buy.”

Zelda looked at her, their proximity closer than ever before, and she smiled, giving her a friendly, little shove as Lilith’s breath ghosted over her cheek. 

“You are incorrigible.”

“That’s what they say.” Lilith withdrew, grinning, and then gestured for Zelda to go inside. 

She led her through the crowd to two standing tables surrounded by a large group, all of whom Zelda recognised from the show. She found, thankfully, that she knew most of their names too. Prudence shot her a grin as she and Lilith joined the group. 

“Zelda, finally. I was wondering when we’d see you at one of these things.”

“Hello,” she smiled, trying to push away her nerves. She was all too aware of Lilith, pressed against her as they crammed around the table like frozen fish fingers in a box. 

“What’s your poison?” Lilith asked, leaning in again. 

“Usually, scotch,” Zelda replied, under her breath. “But I have a feeling that would be out of place here.”

“So?” Lilith grinned. “Drink whatever you want. It’s on me.”

“Oh, no, Lilith, this is your evening. I should buy.”

“It’s your first evening out with the group; I’m celebrating that by buying you a drink. I won’t take no for an answer. So. Scotch?”

Zelda rolled her eyes, but nodded with a small smile. Lilith gave her a grin and then left to go to the bar. Zelda looked around at the group, some of whom were looking at her like they weren’t sure what to say. She recognised Agatha and gave her a small smile. Agatha smiled back. 

“So, erm… do you mind if I call you Zelda?” She asked. Zelda raised an eyebrow but her smile widened just a little. 

“Of course not, please.”

“So, Zelda, do you know what song you’ll sing?”

“Well…” Zelda began, but was interrupted as the duo on stage tried to go up an octave, only to end up shrieking in a tone not unlike nails on a chalkboard. The entire table winced and then looked back to Zelda as the song ended. “Hopefully something better than that.”

A few of them laughed. It was a start at least, she thought. 

She was content to sit and listen to them all talking, although it did make her feel a little out of place. Still occasionally one of them would rope her into what they were saying and she did her best to understand them over the attempt at ‘We are the Champions’ currently happening on the small stage in the corner. 

Lilith returned after a couple of minutes, and slid in beside Zelda again, passing her a glass of scotch. 

“The best they had,” she smiled, offering her beer bottle for ‘cheers’. Zelda smiled, clinked her glass to the bottle, and tried it. Not bad. Not the best, but not bad. 

“Thank you.”

“Well, thank you for coming,” Lilith grinned. “Have you told them you’re singing Push It, Salt-n-pepa yet?”

Zelda nudged Lilith, who burst out laughing at the looks of utter surprise and shock on everyone’s faces. 

“I am not singing… whatever that is.”

“You’re kidding. You know what it is.”

“No.”

“You have to. Salt-n-Pepa here, and we’re in effect...Ah, push it - push it good. Ah, push it - push it real good… ringing any bells?” Zelda smirked, raising her drink for a sip as she looked directly at Lilith in amusement. “Oh… oh you just wanted me to sing, didn’t you?”

“Perhaps,” she shrugged, still smirking. 

“I’ll get my own back,you know?” Lilith grinned. 

“Bring it on.” She took another sip of her drink and then glanced around. The few people around them paying attention were eyeing between the pair. “Yes?”

Agatha cleared her throat and everyone pretended suddenly to be busy in other conversations. 

“Nothing at all,” Agatha replied, shooting Lilith a look which Zelda couldn’t quite decipher. Lilith rolled her eyes in response and Zelda leaned into her ear. 

“Something I’m missing?”

Lilith looked at her and after a moment, Zelda noticed a light blush on her skin. 

“Nothing important. Just Agatha teasing me, again.”

“Perhaps we should partner up.”

“Oh so now you’re teaming up against me?” Lilith grinned. “However will I cope?”

“Beg for mercy,” Zelda replied dryly. 

“I’m not one for begging,” Lilith smirked. 

Zelda opened her mouth to respond, but the image of Lilith on her knees floated to the centre of her mind and she inhaled sharply. She felt heat rush through her, and quickly looked away, searching for a distraction.

“So… how do I sign up for karaoke?” She asked the table, taking a gulp of scotch and regretting it immediately after. 

“Oh, easy. You go up to the guy over there,” Agatha pointed at the man in charge of the sound system. “Ask him for a song slip, fill it in and then give it back. Then he calls you up when it’s your turn.”

“Have you all handed yours in?” She asked. 

Most of them nodded and Zelda chanced a glance back at Lilith. She was studying her curiously, but then when she realised Zelda was looking at her, she smiled. 

“Yes. Want me to choose a song for you?” Her eyes were mischievous again. 

“Not a chance,” Zelda smirked. “What did you choose?”

“You’ll have to wait and see.” Lilith’s grin was so warm and sexy, and Zelda found herself wanting to lean in closer. She restrained herself. 

“Well then… Back in a moment.”

She stepped away from the table, drink in hand, and made her way over to the DJ. He nodded at her and passed her a slip and a pen. Zelda chewed her lip, then glanced back at the table. 

Lilith was still looking at her. 

Zelda turned away and began to scribble on the paper. 

When she returned to the table, Lilith leaned in, and Zelda became acutely aware of her breath against her ear as she murmured conspiratorially. 

“So, it looks like everyone has warmed up to you. Mission accomplished?”

“Perhaps,” Zelda replied. “We shall see how the rest of the night goes.”

“Well, we all know your singing isn’t going to turn them away.”

“That depends on my song choice, surely.”

“No, I’m pretty sure you could perform any song ever written.”

“Doubtful. I’m afraid my talents do not transfer to rap.”

“No?” Lilith grinned. “What a shock. It seems right up your street.”

Zelda nudged her, rolling her eyes. 

“I’ll have you know, I’m not an entire British stereotype of buttoned up aloofness.”

“No? Does that mean I’m going to find out about those wild teenage years? Was it at University?”

Zelda held her gaze as she took a sip of scotch, and then she leaned in close, her tone lower and more teasing. 

“Why would you possibly want to know about all the naughty little things I got up to when I wasn’t famous?”

Lilith swallowed, visibly, and her eyes flicked momentarily to Zelda’s lips. Zelda licked them and watched as Lilith’s eyes took on a darker shade. So perhaps she hadn’t been wrong… perhaps Lilith did find her attractive. 

“When you put it like that… how could I not want to know?” 

Zelda’s lips parted, a teasing response already forming, when they were interrupted. 

“Hello Lil' Demon! And bloody hell, Zelda, you came after all!”

Notes:

MWAHAHAHAHA CLIFFHANGER. Thanks to my wife, who was impatient and thought the chapter was too long for one, so I've now split it into two, so you can have some antici-

Chapter 9: Karaoke P.2

Summary:

The second part of the karaoke evening. Lucifer is an asshole and Lilith and Zelda sing their songs.

Notes:

For my wife.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Lilith’s jaw tightened and her eyes, so warm during her conversation with Zelda, turned cold and sharp. They both turned to see Lucifer, his arms outstretched, making his way towards them. 

Lilith moved, as though she was going to make him leave, but Zelda laid her hand on her arm. Lilith looked back. 

“Don’t. It’s not worth ruining your evening.”

Lilith hesitated and then her shoulders dropped a little and she shot Zelda a small smile before Lucifer arrived next to them. 

“Lucifer.” She said curtly. 

“Well, looks like you really did make it off the bench after all these years. I mean, good job too, because you were starting to look a little old in that chorus line.”

“Charming as always.” Lilith turned her back on him and he turned to Zelda and winked. 

“Only kidding of course. She used to be more fun,” he said to Zelda. “Nice to see you out; going to get drunk with us heathens and party all night?”

“Not quite, but I will be singing.” Zelda replied. 

“Ah, your sweet voice will have them all on their knees,” he grinned. “And I’ll be at the front of the queue.”

“Shouldn’t you go get a drink, Luci?” Lilith snapped. “Dorcas is somewhere here you know?”

“Oh that sweet thing? She told me she was.”

“So I assume you’ll be going home with her tonight?”

“Oh I don’t know. I’m in the mood for something new.” He glanced at Zelda. “How about it Spellman? Let me take you for a spin on the dance floor later.”

“No, thank you.”

“We’ll see.” He winked and then sauntered off. 

“Well, he’s…”

“A pig.” Lilith finished her sentence for her. 

“A little unfair on pigs I’d say.” Lilith flashed her a grin and Zelda felt the urge to reach out her hand again and put it on Lilith’s arm. “Don’t worry. I have no interest in Lucifer, and I’m sure by now everyone is aware of his… behaviour.”

Lilith shrugged and took a long swig of beer. 

“I hate him.”

“I can tell. Do you want to talk about it?”

Lilith glanced at her. 

“I shouldn’t let it ruin the evening.”

“No, you shouldn’t. But another time, if you want….”

Lilith nodded and took another drink. 

Zelda opened her mouth to say something else, but the current singers finished and the DJ tapped the mic to announce the next singer. 

“Alright alright, good job guys. Next up we have Lilith, singing ‘Kiss’.” 

Lilith grinned, taking a large sip of beer before heading up to the stage, and positioning herself in the centre, in front of the mic. She looked back at the table and winked as the music started; a slower, sexier beat than the original. 

Zelda found herself leaning forward as Lilith began to hum and then sing. Something had settled over the woman as she began to perform; she became more confident, teasing and flirtatious. Zelda licked her lips self consciously as Lilith looked over at her.

“You don't have to be beautiful to turn me on
I just need your body, baby, from dusk 'til dawn
You don't need experience to turn me out
You just leave it all up to me
I'm gonna show you what it's all about…”

Damn… The rest of the room faded out as Zelda watched Lilith. God, she was talented. How she had remained in the chorus for so long, Zelda didn’t know. Not that the chorus weren’t talented, they were exceptionally so, but Lilith had something rare about her. 

“She’s good isn’t she?” Agatha’s voice sounded close to Zelda’s ear, making her jump. She nodded, barely taking her eyes off of Lilith. The woman had taken the mic from the stand and was busy flirting with the women dancing in front of her. Zelda felt a surge of jealousy, and she bit down on her tongue in surprise at the strength of it. 

Lilith looked back at the table, straight at Zelda. 

“I just want your extra time and your… kiss.”

Zelda felt heat pooling but she couldn’t look away. Lilith was enchanting, and the way she moved in the suit… sometimes, Zelda caught a glimpse of the swell of her breast from the side, and for an entire chorus she lost focus as images of her slipping her hand inside that suit jacket and palming her breast filled her mind. She imagined how Lilith’s eyes would darken, and how her nipple might harden…

“Fuck,” she hissed, and then pressed her lips together hard when she realised she’d said it outloud. Still, no one else seemed to have noticed… Well, Agatha was smirking, but she wasn’t looking at Zelda. 

Lilith finished the performance with even more energy, her beautiful hair flying around her as she turned and threw herself into the last chorus.

“You don't have to be rich to be my girl
You don't have to be cool to rule my world
Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
I just want your extra time and your kiss.”

The crowd erupted as Lilith took a bow, grinning, and Zelda clapped along with them until her hands hurt. Lilith returned to the table and received cheers from everyone as she picked up her bottle and took a swig. Zelda found her skin tingling at their closeness now; feeling Lilith’s form against her was almost cruel, delicious torture when her belly was warm with desire. 

Agatha was called up immediately afterwards and so they all cheered her, and then Lilith looked at Zelda. 

“So, what did you think?”

“What did I think?” Zelda raised an eyebrow and then smiled. “I think that you’re incredible.”

Lilith flushed and took another swig from her bottle, before clearing her throat and smiling at her. 

“Well, that’s quite the compliment from you.”

“Don’t start pretending you don’t know how good you are again,” Zelda winked. “You’re quite something.”

Lilith studied her again, and then leaned into her ear, lowering her voice. 

“Are you flirting with me, Zelda Spellman?”

She pulled back and looked at Zelda, her eyes flicking over her face as though searching for her response. Zelda raised her eyebrow, smirked and shrugged lightly, before turning away and taking a drink; letting the little smirk stay on her lips. 

Was she flirting with Lilith? She’d be a fool to deny it to herself, even if she wasn’t ready to admit it to the woman yet. She had to be sure, had to make sure that she wanted to go down this route. Perhaps they would just be flirtatious friends, but after the way her brain had drifted into fantasy during that song, she doubted that she’d be able to restrain herself. Did Lilith want more? They’d only just begun their friendship; it would be silly to throw themselves into something else now, surely? If it was just heat, desire and nothing else, it could fizzle out and then she’d be left without a friend and things could be awkward for the run. 

But still… Zelda didn’t remember the last time she’d wanted someone this much. 

“Whatever it is, you’re overthinking it,” Lilith murmured. Zelda started and looked at her, frowning. 

“What?”

“Your eyebrows look like they’re trying to merge; you’re frowning that much. Whatever you’re overthinking, don’t.”

“Just like that?” Zelda raised her eyebrow. 

“Well, no. You probably still will. But I try to go with my instinct, not let my head get too much in the way. Think it through, of course, but don’t get so stuck in all the thoughts that you forget to make a decision.”

Zelda stared at her and then her lips twitched. 

“You don’t even know what I’m thinking about.”

“No,” Lilith said slowly, studying her. “But I can see you wrapping yourself up in knots about it. You’re here to have fun, remember?”

She winked, teasing, and Zelda lowered her shoulders slightly, taking a deep breath. 

“Better?”

“Better,” Lilith grinned. “Want to tell me about it?”

“No,” Zelda replied. “I’m supposed to be having fun, remember?”

She smirked and took another sip, before cheering as Agatha finished her song.

“That was great, give her a round of applause!” The DJ said as she left the stage. “And next we’ve got Zelda, with Sisters of the Moon.”

Lilith stepped back to allow her to escape. Zelda slipped off her leather jacket, dropping it onto the table with her bag. Lilith’s eyes flicked over her. 

“Fleetwood Mac hmm?”

“Surprised?” Zelda teased. 

“Intrigued.”

Zelda made her way up. The song wasn’t flashy, but it was one of her favourites, and it had been so long since she’d done this. She wanted to sing something she loved. Besides, it felt relevant, at the moment…

She glanced back at Lilith as she wrapped her hand around the mic, and found the woman fixed on her. She had that same look on her face that she had when she had done Cell Block Tango, when she had been in the chorus, and she had fixed Zelda with a stare as she’d straddled the male dancer. It had made her skin tingle then, now it burned her insides. 

She swallowed and nodded at the DJ. The music began and Zelda closed her eyes, leaning into the mic and letting the words flow.

“Intense silence
As she walked in the room
Her black robes trailing
Sister of the moon
And a black widow spider makes
More sound than she
And black moons in those eyes of hers
Made more sense to me
Heavy persuasion
It was hard to breathe…”

Zelda opened her eyes slowly, finding everyone in front of her watching closely. She scanned the tables slowly, from right to left, until she was looking at Lilith again. The woman was transfixed, and Zelda shifted slightly, to sing directly to her. 

“She was dark at the top of the stairs
And she called to me
And so I followed…”

Zelda got lost in the song, her eyes sometimes straying from Lilith’s, but never for too long. As she finished, the crowd on the dance floor cheered and Zelda smiled around at them. It was her stage smile, but still, when she caught sight of Lilith cheering over by the table, it warmed into a real one. 

She stepped away from the stage and headed back to the table. 

“That was awesome!”

“Amazing!”

“Thank you.” Zelda thanked them all as she slipped back into the space beside Lilith, who leaned in almost immediately. 

“You’re incredible.”

Zelda flashed Lilith a true smile and slid her bag out from under her jacket. 

“Thank you. I’m going to nip out for a smoke, then when I get back it’s my round, so everyone finish your drinks if you want another.” There were cheers, and Zelda slipped her jacket on. She saw Lilith hesitating and laid her hand on her arm. “Want to join me?”

“Sure.”

Lilith showed her to the back, where there was a small outside courtyard for smokers. Wooden picnic benches littered the area, filled with people drinking and smoking. Zelda hesitated, glancing at Lilith. 

“Are you sure you want to be here? It’s one thing to be around me but this much smoke-” 

Lilith chuckled, shook her head and then grabbed her hand, guiding her towards the back of the yard. They slipped out of a wooden gate into a tight area filled with bins. There was a fire escape there, leading to another building, and Lilith pulled her onto the steps. 

“Here, how’s this?”

“Won’t someone mind? It looks like this is the back of some flats.”

“It is.” Lilith smiled. “These go up to my flat.”

“Oh.” Zelda blinked, peering up at the building again with far more curiosity than before. Then her eyes slid back to Lilith, a glint in them. “Lilith Demons, do you sneak into the karaoke bar for free?”

Lilith chuckled.

“I get in free anyway, because I’m friends with the owner. I used to work in there. Still do, between gigs.”

“Oh.” Zelda studied her. “I can see you as a bartender actually. Tank top, serving drinks, flirting with cute customers…”

“Flirting? Me?” Lilith grinned. “Well… perhaps not too far from the truth. Although nowadays, pun intended, I only flirt with people I actually want to get to know.”

“I see,” Zelda took a cigarette from her bag and lit it, watching as it burned to life and she took a drag. “And is there anyone, currently, that you’re getting to know?”

Lilith studied her, and then a small smile slid onto her lips. 

“I don’t know yet. Maybe.”

Zelda felt her heartbeat pick up; a flutter in her chest that she couldn’t ignore. 

“Well… whoever they are, they had better know how lucky they are.”

“Oh?” Lilith’s eyes were intense, and Zelda’s heart was starting to thunder in her ears. She took a breath in, trying to steady herself. She wanted to lean in, kiss Lilith and just go for it, but the gnawing doubt from earlier stopped her. Instead, she brushed it off.

“Yes, well, someone who knows what to do with different potatoes is a catch.”

Lilith laughed, but Zelda caught a sliver of disappointment in her eyes when the laughter trailed off. 

“Happy to help you with your groceries at any point.”

Silence fell between them for a moment as Zelda exhaled smoke into the air, and Lilith mimicked her with dragon’s breath. 

“Are you not cold?” Zelda asked, eyeing Lilith’s jacket. It was the wrong thing to do, because watching the goosebumps forming across that V of exposed skin, and seeing nipples harden, leaving just the lightest bump in the fabric, reminded her of her daydream earlier. She bit her lip and dragged her eyes back up to Lilith’s. 

“A little. I prefer heat to the cold, but I’m naturally quite hot so I get by.”

“You’re quite hot?” Zelda bit her tongue as the words escaped and then had to respond when Lilith smirked. “I meant… you know what I meant.”

“Oh, I know.” Lilith’s smirk was growing wider and damn if Zelda didn’t want to just wipe it off her face with a kiss. 

She reached out and gave Lilith a light shove, finishing the cigarette and stubbing it out on the wall, before dropping it into one of the bins. 

“We should head back in. I owe everyone a round.”

“Are you enjoying yourself? Really?”

Lilith’s voice was so filled with concern, and Zelda reached out a hand and took hers, giving it a quick squeeze before releasing it. 

“Yes, really. I haven’t done this in a long time but… I am really enjoying myself.”

“Karaoke?” At Zelda’s quizzical look, Lilith continued. “You haven’t done karaoke in a long time?”

“I haven’t really had a night out in a long time,” Zelda admitted after a moment. “With Sabrina, and work, I… there just didn’t seem to be the time.”

“I’m amazed you avoided it. People must have been asking you all the time.”

“Not really, no.” Zelda shrugged, averting her eyes in case Lilith saw the old hurts that lay there. There was a pause and then Lilith shifted. Zelda looked back at her to see her hand hovering, as though she had been about to take Zelda’s cheek in her hand and bring her eyes back to her. 

Instead, her hand flexed and she dropped it to her side, before sliding it into her pocket. 

“Well, you’ll be sick of the amount of offers you’ll have had by the end of the run.”

“I’m not sure I can cope with many,” Zelda smiled. “I do have responsibilities; I cannot just leave my sister to raise Sabrina. We agreed that we would do it together.”

“What… what happened to her parents? If you don’t mind me asking.”

Zelda’s eyelashes fluttered and she closed them against the wave of sadness that crashed into her. Even after all these years, the loss of parents to that sweet child still brought tears to her eyes. 

“They…”

“Oh, Zelda, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.”

“No,” Zelda replied. “I would not be telling you if I minded.”

She paused and then got another cigarette from her bag. Lighting it, she took a drag and sent it spiralling upwards before answering. 

“My brother and his wife, Edward and Diana, had left Sabrina with the two of us so that they could celebrate their anniversary. She was only three and they intended to be back the next day; we didn’t mind. They died that night, on their way back from dinner and a show. A car swerved to avoid a drunk in the road and hit them. They rolled down a hill, went through fencing…”

Zelda gulped, trailing off and suddenly Lilith’s arms were wrapping around her, pulling her in for a hug. Zelda froze for a moment, and then relaxed into the embrace. 

“I’m so sorry, Zelda.”

Zelda wrapped her arms around Lilith, burying her face into her hair, careful to keep the cigarette away from her. Slowly, she fought back the tears, letting only a few fall before she reined in her emotions. 

Lilith was warm and strong; her hair smelled incredible and without thinking, Zelda inhaled deeply, burying her face further in until her nose brushed Lilith’s neck. Lilith froze momentarily, and Zelda started to pull away, but Lilith began to rub her back. After a moment, her hand slipped under the leather jacket, and Zelda felt it rubbing firm, but soothing, circles through the fabric of her dress. 

Zelda became acutely aware of Lilith’s body against hers, of the way she felt. She found herself wrapping her arms around her tighter, before common sense kicked in and she withdrew. This time, Lilith let her. 

Zelda ran her fingers underneath her eyes, shaking her head. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t know what came over me.”

“You don’t have to pretend with me,” Lilith murmured. “It’s okay to feel things.”

“I know that,” Zelda replied, although she was aware that a part of her always held back. “I’m fine.”

“Okay,” Lilith smiled at her and then raised her hand. “May I?”

Zelda nodded and Lilith’s thumb rubbed around the corner of her eye gently, cleaning up her makeup. 

“There, no one will know.”

“Thank you.” Zelda shifted, looking at the almost burned through cigarette and deciding it wasn’t worth it anymore. She stubbed this one out too, and then disposed of it. “We should get back.”

“After you.” Lilith gestured for Zelda to go first and followed her down the steps. As they reached the gate, she caught Zelda’s arm, making her pause. “Zelda… thank you for telling me that. Thank you for opening up to me.”

Zelda shrugged as though it hadn’t been a big deal and gave Lilith a small smile. 

“Come on, before they think you’ve taken me to your flat.”

Lilith practically choked on air. 

“Oh please, even I’m not that good.”

“Even you? That good?” Zelda smirked, raising an eyebrow. “Whatever can you mean?”

Instead of answering, a slightly pink Lilith opened the gate and waved her through. 

“And where have you two been?” Agatha pounced as soon as they returned. 

Out of the corner of her eye, Zelda saw Lucifer studying them. She moved a little closer to Lilith and smirked. 

“Just a smoke, Agatha. Why? Did you want an invitation?”

Agatha blushed as Lilith cackled. 

“No, just… wondered if Lilith gave you a tour?”

“Of the smoker’s area?” Zelda played dumb. “It’s only a little courtyard; I don’t think a tour was warranted.”

“I meant her flat,” Agatha replied, taking a drink. 

“You live round here?” Zelda turned to Lilith. 

“Yes,” Lilith grinned, playing along. “Just next door.”

“Well, maybe you can invite me for a cup of tea and a biscuit one day.”

“Cookie.” Lilith smirked. 

“Biscuit,” Zelda chuckled and then turned to the group, raising her voice. “Orders in; I’m buying.”

They all began giving drink orders and Zelda wrote them on her phone. 

“I’ll help you carry,” Lilith said. 

“Well volunteered,” Zelda grinned. “But it’s your celebration; you should stay. I’m sure Agatha would be willing to help.”

Agatha almost choked on the last of her drink, but nodded and followed after her, leaving Lilith at the table. 

“So…” Agatha hummed as they waited for the drink order, leaning against the bar and smiling at Zelda hesitantly. “Listen I’ve been wanting to apologise, you know, for before. It wasn’t just me but… I should have made my own judgement, like Lilith, instead of following with the masses.”

Zelda studied her momentarily and then nodded. 

“Thank you. I accept your apology.” Then she sighed. “I do understand the urge to go with the status quo, you know? It doesn’t make it easier but I have felt that before.”

“You don’t seem like the type of person to go along with anything you don’t want to do.”

Zelda smiled. 

“No, not anymore. But I was young once.”

Agatha snorted. 

“You sound like Lilith. Neither of you are old, you know? Maybe in chorus terms, but neither of you are that anymore.” She glanced back at Lilith; a hint of something sad mixed with her pride. “She’ll never be in the chorus again if she continues to do this well.”

“No, she won’t be. She’s a star.” Zelda looked at the woman too, across the crowded bar. As though sensing their gazes, Lilith glanced up and her eyes locked on Zelda’s. Her eyebrow raised, quizzically, and Zelda’s smile grew. “She knows we’re discussing her.”

“And I shall tease her about it later. What should I say; that I’ve told you all her most embarrassing stories?”

Zelda chuckled and shook her head. 

“No, nothing like that.”

“Should I tell her that we were talking about the fact that you two are flirting with each other?”

Zelda’s head snapped around to look at Agatha, who was smirking slightly. 

“We’re just… teasing.”

“The last person I teased like that ended up in my bed.” 

“I…” Zelda looked back at the bar as some of the drinks arrived. “We’re just becoming friends.”

“Sure.” Agatha grabbed some of the drinks, turning to head back to the table and then pausing. “Just… if you do end up as more than friends… don’t hurt her. Be sure before you do anything. She’s good at keeping people at a certain distance, but she looks well on her way to letting you in completely and if you hurt her when she’s been that vulnerable with you, I will make your death look like a terrible stage accident.”

Zelda studied her again, impressed by the fierceness of her. Did Lilith know how much Agatha cared about her? 

“Hurting Lilith is the furthest thing from my mind,” she finally murmured in reply. “I like her a lot.”

“Mmm.” Agatha gave her a once over and then nodded. “Well then… I think I’ll sign you both up for a duet.”

With that she was gone, leaving Zelda calling after her with a ‘don’t you dare!’. 

Zelda collected more drinks and when Agatha returned, she left her to grab the last few and headed to the tables. She put the drinks down and Lilith hooked her beer from the selection. 

“Thank you.”

“You’re welcome.”

“So… what were you and Agatha talking about over there?”

Zelda smiled. 

“You.”

Lilith’s eyebrows raised. 

“All bad I hope?”

“Sadly no. All good.”

“Well,” Lilith’s cheeks pinked. “It’s all lies of course. I’m a terrible person.”

“Oh you are?” Zelda pressed her lips together, even though the smile threatened to spread. 

“Yes. All this? Totally an act. I’m really a devil.”

“A devil? Isn’t that a promotion from Demon?”

Lilith rolled her eyes, chuckling. 

“Ha. Ha. You’re hilarious.”

Zelda laughed and caught her lip between her teeth, shaking her head. Lilith’s eyes slipped to her lips and Zelda saw her sway forward a little before halting, turning away a little and lifting her beer to her lips. Zelda shifted closer and took up her own drink. 

“Are you okay?”

Lilith’s head snapped around to hers. 

“Yes, why?”

“You just… I don’t know. Sometimes it seems like you want to say something and then you don’t.” Lilith’s lips parted, but she didn’t say anything. In fact, she seemed as though she were fighting with words. Zelda blushed. “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to-”

“Lilith, come dance!” Roz appeared at her side. “Hey Zelda.”

“Hello,” Zelda smiled a little smile at her. 

“I was just talking-” Lilith started. 

“No, it’s okay. You should dance. It’s your celebration,” Zelda fought to keep her smile. “Go.”

“Are you sure?” Lilith’s eyes flicked over her. 

“Yes, of course.”

“Why don’t you come and dance too?” Roz asked. 

“Oh, no,” Zelda shook her head, feeling anxiety gnawing at her stomach again. “Go ahead, I’ll look after your drink.”

Lilith let herself be dragged to the dance floor, and Zelda was left to go over the conversation. The way Lilith looked at her. 

Her eyes settled on the woman dancing; the way she moved with Roz. She was beautiful; there was a grace in the way she moved, something sensual about her that Zelda found increasingly distracting. 

Heat mingled with the anxiety in her stomach and she flushed, looking down at her drink. 

“Hey, Spellman,” Lucifer leaned on the table next to her and Zelda stiffened. 

“Hello Lucifer. It’s Zelda.”


“Lil calls you Spellman,” he shrugged. 

“Lilith is my friend.”

“Is she now?” Lucifer smirked. “You know, the Lilith I know doesn’t do friends. She keeps people at arms length, unless she wants to fuck them, that is.”

Zelda shifted away slightly. 

“Well, perhaps you don’t know her as well as you think. She certainly doesn’t seem to think that you two are friends.”

“No, but we used to be. She’s the only one that could keep up with me. One time she took two women home at the same time, from this bar. You know she only lives out the back? Well they’d been flirting all night and she always was good at that. I found her in the corner with her hand down one of their trousers-”

“-Thank you, Lucifer, that’s quite enough.” Zelda interrupted firmly. “I don’t need you to tell me anything about Lilith.”

“I’m just trying to look out for you, Spellman.”

“And it has nothing to do with wanting to fuck me yourself?” She snapped at him, standing back from the table. Lucifer didn’t even blink; his lips curled into a smirk. 

“I didn’t say that. Anytime you want, we can totally get together.”

“Not on your life.”

“Suit yourself,” he shrugged, but the smirk remained as though he didn’t fully believe her. “But watch out for her. I’ve seen her turn other straight women and it wouldn’t surprise me if she tried that on you.”

Zelda grabbed her bag and jacket. 

“And who said I’m straight, Lucifer?”

With that, she walked away from the table and headed towards the back again. She needed another cigarette. How men like Lucifer existed, she didn’t know. How dare he…

Zelda’s anger boiled  in her stomach as she stepped out into the cool air. She lit a cigarette, took a drag and exhaled with a sigh. Slipping into a corner, she tried to not make eye contact with anyone. 

That arrogant, self absorbed asshole. 

“Zelda?”

She looked up to find Lilith standing a few metres from her, looking around, concerned. 

“Here,” she called out, and Lilith’s head swivelled to her. A look of relief washed over her. 

“Hey, I was worried. Are you okay? Agatha said Lucifer was talking to you and you looked like murder.”

Zelda flicked some ash from her cigarette and grimaced. 

“He’s disgusting.”

“Did he hit on you?” Lilith’s voice had gone cold and she seemed to be barely containing anger. 

“Yes.” Zelda’s fingers reached out and caught hold of Lilith’s arm as she went to storm back inside. “It doesn’t matter; I don’t care about that. I’m angry because of what he said about you.”

Lilith gritted her teeth. 

“What did he say?”

Zelda studied her. 

“Well, I’m paraphrasing, but he basically said you were like him, a womanizer, that you once took home two women at the same time from this very bar and that you’re trying to fuck me and that’s the only reason you’re making an effort.”

Lilith’s eyes flickered and she seemed to restrain herself before speaking. 

“And do you believe him?”

“About which part?”

“All of it. Any of it.”

“I believe that you would have no problem getting anyone you wanted to come home with you. I believe that you probably used to do that as often as you wanted and you told me yourself that the two of you were in competition of sorts. But I try not to judge people on other people’s perceptions of them. I can make my own mind up.”

“And the other part?” Lilith asked hesitantly. Zelda took another drag and then stubbed out the cigarette. 

“I don’t believe that you’re as calculating as Lucifer thinks you are. I don’t believe that you’re like him, Lilith. I don’t think you want to do to me as he is doing to Dorcas, nor would I let you if you were.”

Lilith took a deep breath, her shoulders relaxing on the exhale. 

“I would never, Zelda. Besides, I’m not arrogant enough to think that you’d…” She trailed off, cheeks reddening. Zelda stored that away for later, but didn’t comment on it now. 

“I should go, though. I have to get home.”

Lilith deflated slightly. 

“So soon?” She bit her tongue. “Sorry, yes of course. Are you good to drive?”

“I came in a taxi, actually. I just need to call to ask them to pick me up.”

“At this time of night? You’ll be lucky.” Lilith worried her lip. “But call them. Maybe they’re having a slow night.”

So Zelda called, but the nearest time they could give her was in another two hours. Other taxi companies said the same. She sighed, shaking her head when Lilith looked at her quizzically. 

“Two hours.”

“It will fly by, I promise. Another song, some dancing…”

Zelda’s stomach twisted. 

“Another song, perhaps. But no dancing.”

“No dancing?” Lilith’s eyebrow rose. “But you’re an amazing dancer.”

Zelda shifted on her feet, her hand sliding across her stomach where her anxiety sat. 

“I can’t dance.” Lilith opened her mouth to protest. “Normally. I get awkward when I don’t have a routine. Just standing there, switching weight from foot to foot? I don’t understand it.”

Lilith’s lips twitched. 

“That’s more common than you think, you know? We’re used to dancing being a show.”
“Still.” Zelda shifted again, the cold leaking through her jacket and up her legs. 

“Come on, let’s go back in. It’s my turn to buy you a drink.” 

Zelda smiled slightly. 

“It’s your night, Lilith. I shall be buying again.”

“No way, I’ll beat you to the bar.”

“We are not racing to the bar,” Zelda chuckled. 

“Watch me,” Lilith grinned. 

***

An hour later, another song each, and Zelda was starting to flag. Perhaps she really was too old for this. Her taxi wouldn;t be here for another hour and some of the group were starting to discuss moving the party to a club. She was definitely too old for that. That, and Lucifer was completely up for the change, and she didn’t want to spend any more time with him than she had to. 

“You’re coming, right?” Agatha asked Lilith. 

“No,” she laughed. “Karaoke is one thing but I’m past clubbing. But you all go and have a good time.”

“Boring. Zelda?”

“I believe that I am older than Lilith and therefore have even more reason to say no. Sorry. But thank you for a wonderful evening.”

They said their goodbyes, and as others began to leave, Zelda stifled a yawn. Lilith saw and chuckled. 

“Tired, Spellman?”

“A little.”

Lilith chewed her lip and then sighed. 

“If you want to wait for the taxi in my flat you’re more than welcome.”

Zelda studied her and then gave a little smirk. 

“Inviting me back to your place, Lilith? That’s a little forward, don’t you think?” She parroted Lilith from the beginning of the evening, and the other woman laughed. 

“I promise to be a gentlewoman and just get you that hot chocolate we talked about, for us of the older generation who are out past their bed time.”

Zelda snorted, then slapped her hand over her mouth and nose. She hadn’t done anything as undignified as snorting for a long while. Lilith’s eyes sparkled in amusement. 

“That didn’t happen.”

“What didn’t happen?”

“Exactly.”

“Oh, you mean that adorable little snort?”

“I do not snort.”

“I think you just did.”

“Lilith,” Zelda tried to warn her, but she couldn’t keep the smile from her lips. “I don’t snort.”

“Mmmm I think you do.”

Zelda rolled her eyes and gave her a light shove. 

“I’m not coming to your place if you continue.”

Lilith mimicked zipping her lips closed, eyes still sparkling, and then inclined her head towards the door. Zelda gathered her things, still smiling, and followed her out of the back of the bar and towards the stairs. 

Lilith climbed ahead of her, and Zelda averted her eyes, avoiding the sight. She had stared at Lilith enough tonight. 

Lilith’s apartment was small but nice. Zelda looked around it as Lilith went to make them both a drink. She had plenty of books on shelves and littered around, and Zelda ran her fingers over the spines. Literature, mostly, but a few on the history of Broadway, on choreographers, on shows. There were plays, and a few scripts that were covered in signatures and messages. Zelda smiled. 

“You read a lot?”

“When I can,” Lilith answered from the kitchen area. “It helps me wind down from a show or rehearsal.”

Zelda hummed and continued to look around. There was a music system, comfortable seats, very little in terms of photographs…

“How long have you lived here?”

“A few years.” Lilith appeared with two mugs. “Here, one hot chocolate as promised.”

“Thank you,” Zelda smiled, taking it. “That’s very sweet of you.”

“Again, I’m not sweet.”

“Agree to disagree.”

“No, really. I’m not sweet.”

Zelda rolled her eyes again, chuckling. 

“You are impossible.”

“Now that I can agree on.”

Lilith grinned and went to her music system. 

“Did you want to listen to something?”

“I don’t mind.” Zelda sat down on the sofa, crossing her leg over the other and taking a sip of her drink. Lilith pursed her lips, amused and then put her phone into the system, pressing play. A soft song began, French drifting from the singer, and then a gentle beat followed. Lilith began to sway, humming, and then turned to look at Zelda. 

“What do you think?”

“I like it.” Zelda watched Lilith swaying her hips. 

“It’s one of my favourites.”

“So I can see,” Zelda smiled. Lilith chuckled and danced towards her, reaching out her hand. “Oh no, I’m not dancing.”

“Come on. It’s just us. You can sway your hips without judgement.”

Zelda narrowed her eyes and then rolled them. She put down her mug and stood. 

“I don’t know what you’re trying to achieve but if you tell anyone about this I will trip you on opening night.”

“My lips are sealed.”

Zelda began to awkwardly dance, swaying her hips a little. Lilith grinned and beckoned to her again. She reached out and, after a moment of hesitation, she let her hand rest in Lilith’s before she was pulled forward, laughing. 

“What are you doing?”

“Teaching you how to dance without choreography,” Lilith chuckled. “Here, hips like this.” 

She swayed, pulling Zelda’s hands to her hips. 

“I do know how to dance, Lilith,” Zelda scoffed, rolling her eyes fondly. 

“I know, I’ve seen you.” Lilith’s hips began to roll in a figure eight, and Zelda followed automatically. “There you go.”

Zelda rolled her eyes again. 

“Lilith, I can roll my hips. I just find it repetitive.”

“Then get creative,” Lilith grinned. She turned slowly, swaying and then her back was to Zelda and her hands snaked into the air as her hips swayed more. Zelda swayed, watching her, feeling heat pricking along her skin. When Lilith turned towards her again, she flicked her eyes back to Lilith’s face. “Your turn.”

Zelda decided right then that she wanted to leave Lilith speechless, just once. So she slid closer to her, turned slowly and reached behind her, pulling the woman’s hands onto her hips. She rolled and rocked and swayed her hips and then pressed back into the woman behind her. Lilith’s hands tightened on her hips and she felt her nose press into her hair. Lilith’s body pressed more against her, and Zelda felt heat burning in her stomach and across her skin. 

“I told you I could dance,” she said, and her voice was throaty, lower than usual. 

“I’m sorry I doubted you.” Lilith’s voice sent a thrill through her, her breath tickling Zelda’s neck. She turned her head slowly, and felt her nose brush against her jaw before Lilith moved away with a sharp inhale. Zelda turned all the way around and her lidded eyes fixed on Lilith’s lips.  

“Lilith…?”

“Yes?”

Zelda leaned in, their noses brushing, her hands slipping over the material of Lilith’s jacket. Lilith’s hands tightened on her hips and then slipped further around, pulling her close. 

“I think you should kiss me right now.”

Notes:

The Kiss version I played was the Kelly Clarkson one, so... hope you enjoyed.
The French song is this https://youtu.be/JJgGg1OXj90

Chapter 10: Fuck

Summary:

The continuation of the last chapter, and a further look into Zelda's family life.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Fuck…

Lilith’s intake of breath sounded like the loudest thing in the room to her, aside from the blood rushing in her ears. Surely she’d heard her incorrectly? But Zelda’s arms were snaking around her neck and her own fingers were slipping over the material of her dress as she brought her in. 
Lilith’s eyes were heavy lidded, her entire body, down to the bone, aching to move forward and close that slight gap. In another second they could be kissing…

“I don’t…” Lilith’s voice sounded alien to her, as though someone else were speaking. Zelda pulled back a little, her eyes scanning Lilith’s face, her brow furrowed. Regret and embarrassment began to creep onto her face and she started to move away. Lilith held her firm. “I don’t want you to regret kissing me tomorrow.”  

Zelda relaxed slightly, and a smile played on her lips before she leaned in close again, her fingers working their way into Lilith’s hair at the top of her neck, nails scratching at her scalp. Lilith’s lips parted. 

“Are you suggesting that you won’t leave me satisfied?”

Lilith licked her lips. 

“I could never leave you unsatisfied, Zelda…” Her lips ghosted over Zelda’s and then moved over her jaw to her ear. “I’d like you to come back for more.”

As Lilith’s breath tickled her neck, Zelda pressed closer to her, inhaling sharply as her body reacted to Lilith’s husky promise. Her senses were filled with this woman, and Lilith’s nose trailing against her neck and jaw as she withdrew slightly sent sparks shooting across her skin. 

The woman’s blue eyes were darker when they finally looked at each other again, and then Zelda lost focus as she leaned in closer. 

“So... kiss me.”

Lilith’s lips brushed softly against Zelda’s, a gentle, barely there kiss that had Zelda’s eyes fluttering closed with a sigh. There was a pause, a breath, and then Lilith’s lips returned to hers, claiming them. 

This. This was how kissing was supposed to feel. 

Lilith kissed her like she wanted to devour every inch of her and Zelda could quite happily have let her. She tightened her hand in Lilith’s hair and felt the woman moan into the kiss. Lilith’s arms tightened around Zelda as they teetered, and then Lilith kicked off her heels. The sudden height difference made Zelda chuckle against her lips, and she slipped off her own, wrapping herself back around the woman so enthusiastically that they stumbled off balance, and Lilith fell laughing onto the sofa. 

“Oh, sorry, I-” Zelda began with a laugh, but Lilith only pulled her down to join her with a smirk. Zelda positioned herself over her lap, hiking up the skirt of her dress to lower herself onto her thighs. Lilith’s hands slid up them and around to her ass, holding her steady, as Zelda tangled both hands in Lilith’s hair and returned to kissing her. 

A few minutes later they were panting between each kiss, and Zelda’s hand was pressed against Lilith’s sternum, itching to slide under her jacket and touch, to find out if her nipples were straining like they had been in the cold, to do what she’d fantasised about earlier…

“Zelda…” Lilith moaned, nipping at her bottom lip and pulling her closer. Zelda’s hips rocked automatically and she let out a gasp as Lilith’s hot mouth made its way down her throat. Her vision was blurred at the edges by desire, and she threw caution to the wind and slid her hand under the jacket, finding Lilith’s breast heaving as she cupped it. “Oh fuck…”

Zelda purred as she rolled her straining nipple between her fingers, feeling herself clench at the sound it pulled from the woman beneath her. She pulled gently, and then a little harder and Lilith gasped into her neck before teeth began to suck at her collar bone. Zelda’s hips jerked forward again and she cried out, a yearning moan that begged for more. 

“Please…” she whispered, palming Lilith’s breast. “More, Lilith…”

The growl that Lilith made at the base of Zelda’s throat had them both quivering, and Lilith’s hands began to slide upwards, over Zelda’s waist and up her back until she was grasping the zip for her dress. She began to pull it down, her lips searching lower and lower until her journey was halted at the edge of the dress, above the swell of breasts that she wanted to bury her face into. 

Zelda’s neck arched as fingers followed after the zip, stroking her spine, and when she looked back down she found Lilith’s blue eyes staring back up at her. They hovered in stillness for a moment, as the sound of the zip halted at her waist and the cool air soothed her heated skin. 

Zelda leaned down, her hair cascading in soft curls around them, and kissed Lilith slowly. The other woman’s fingers danced over her back, taking in soft, smooth skin and toned muscles, before beginning to pull the dress away. 

Zelda’s phone rang. 

They froze, still wrapped around each other and Lilith groaned. 

“Stay,” she whispered against Zelda’s lips. 

Zelda went to say yes, to kiss her again, to stay, but then she froze. 

“It might be Hilda, about Sabrina…”

Lilith withdrew gently, taking a steadying breath.

“Get it. I don’t want you worrying.”

 Zelda leaned over to the table where her bag sat, grabbing it. She struggled to open it, her hands shaking, the desire to continue still pulsing through her. Lilith’s lips, beginning to kiss along her collarbone and shoulder again, didn’t help. 

She retrieved the phone and saw a number she didn’t recognise. 

“Oh… that’ll be the taxi.” Lilith’s forehead rested against her shoulder momentarily and then she sat back as Zelda pressed accept. “Hello? Yes this is she… now?”

Zelda glanced at Lilith. The woman was hesitantly watching her. Zelda put her hand over the speaker as Lilith began to speak.  

“Are you going?”

“I… I have to. I promised my sister…”

“She wouldn’t understand?”

“She would, she’d have a field day, I just…” The man on the end of the phone started speaking and Zelda started listening again, dropping her hand from the speaker. “Yes, I’ll be right down. Thank you.”

She hung up, looking down at the woman underneath her. 

“Lilith, I’m sorry. I just…”

“It’s okay,” Lilith said softly, her thumb tracing over Zelda’s thigh soothingly. “You have to get home.”

“I just, I don’t want her to worry and Sabrina is such a handful in the morning; I don’t want to abandon them without warning, it’s not fair, and I-”

“Zelda,” Lilith soothed, her hand reaching up to cup Zelda’s jaw and run a thumb over her cheek. “You’re crying.”

Zelda sucked in a breath, swallowing, finding that her eyes were wet and Lilith was wiping a tear from her cheek. 

“I’m sorry, I don’t know why-”

“It’s okay,” Lilith wiped away her tears gently and then leaned up, pressing a soft kiss to her lips. “Just please, don’t worry. Another time? When you’re more able to stay?”

“You still… you’d want to do this again?”

“Zelda,” Lilith chuckled. “Haven’t I made it obvious by now that I like you? Of course I want to do this again.”

“Oh,” Zelda swallowed. “Well then…”

“Do you?” Lilith murmured. “Want to do this again?”

Unable to form words from the jumbled mess of emotions that seemed to be running rife inside her, Zelda leaned down and kissed her again. Lilith’s fingers slid into her hair, holding the kiss, drawing it out, until the sound of traffic honking below separated them slowly. 

“God you’re beautiful,” Lilith murmured. “I’ll take that as a yes to the rain check. Now let’s get you outside or I might not be able to let you go.”

Zelda blushed, laughing, and climbed from Lilith’s lap, holding her dress to her chest as it threatened to fall. Lilith stood and when Zelda turned, she zipped up the dress slowly. 

She helped Zelda into her jacket and walked her down the stairs and outside to where they found a taxi driver waiting impatiently. 

“Well,” Lilith hummed, sliding her hands into her pockets. “I’m really glad you came out tonight. Especially since… well. I think we clarified a few things.”

“Yes,” Zelda tucked a strand of her own hair behind her ear and smiled gently. “We should talk about it. Maybe after rehearsal on Monday?”

“Yes. You can come to mine, if you like? Actually get to drink the hot chocolate this time.”
Zelda’s smile lifted and she chuckled, shaking her head. 

“Goodnight, Lilith.”

“Goodnight, Zelda.” Lilith hesitated, running a hand through her hair and watching Zelda’s own hesitation. The other woman stepped closer and pressed a kiss to Lilith’s cheek. 

“See you on Monday.”

With that, Zelda hurried into the taxi, and Lilith watched as she pulled away, before slipping back into her apartment, a grin on her lips. 

***

In the taxi, Zelda’s fingers smoothed over her swollen lips. 

What had gotten into her? 

A smile twitched at her lips and she sighed. Lilith was… unexpected. Zelda hadn’t planned any of what had happened during or after the karaoke, but perhaps her sister’s words before she left had had more of an impact than she’d thought. 

Perhaps she was okay with losing her head, just a little. 

Still, as she slipped into bed that night, her sister and Sabrina already asleep, Zelda wondered what Lilith thought. 

Was she looking for a show romance? A whirlwind thing that fizzled out the moment the run was done? Had she just wanted a couple of nights? Even one, just to explore? 

Zelda wasn’t sure that Lilith was the type for a relationship. She might not pay any heed to Lucifer, but still his descriptions of Lilith did depict someone more interested in pleasure than something longer lasting. Lilith had said she wasn’t that person anymore, but did that mean that she was just more selective? Did she date? 

Zelda huffed, turning in her bed, unable to get comfortable. 

She wouldn’t know what Lilith wanted until she talked to her, so there was no point in going over what might be happening in her head. 

What she wanted though… that was a different matter. 

Zelda bit her lip and closed her eyes, remembering the way it felt to be wrapped around Lilith, to have her mouth on her, to have her fingers against her skin sending shivers down her spine…
Fuck. 

Zelda rolled over onto her front and pressed her forehead into the pillow, huffing out a breath. 

The woman was intense. All those times she’d been hesitant, careful around Zelda, sweet even, then the moments of fire; when she had confronted her in the elevator, when Faustus had been harassing her… The way she teased her, flirted with her, and those moments of still silence when her eyes seemed to study her like she knew something. 

Like she knew Zelda wanted her, before she even knew it herself. 

Memories of Lilith’s kisses down her neck, her hands sliding over her thighs, across her bare back, the way her tongue had dipped into the hollow of her collarbone, promising so much more, filled Zelda’s mind. She groaned. No. She needed to sleep. She couldn’t think about that now. She could not...should not…

***
Lilith gasped, her hips lifting as she found just how wet she was. 

She couldn’t sleep, her mind reeling with everything that had happened. The feeling of Zelda straddling her lap, of the way her pulse pounded in her neck under Lilith’s lips, of the way she moaned into their kisses… Lilith’s fingers sank inside herself and she moaned into her empty bedroom.

Fuck, she couldn’t help herself. She’d grinned like an idiot all the way back to her floor having taken Zelda to her taxi, and collapsed on the sofa where they had been so close to just… Lilith had drifted into a daydream, remembering every touch; the haze that had surrounded them as Zelda rocked against her. When she’d slid her hand inside Lilith’s jacket and touched her; the way she’d rolled and pulled at her nipple had sent a jolt straight to Lilith’s core. Fuck. 

She had debated touching herself right there, on the sofa, but dragged herself up, stripping along the way. She washed, cleaned her teeth, trying to distract herself from the way her stomach still curled with desire at every reminder of Zelda. Finally, in bed, naked with her nipples still hard at the thought of Zelda’s fingers pulling at them, imagining what her mouth would have felt like on them, Lilith had given into the desire and reached down, finding herself drenched. 

She rolled over onto her front, her hand pinned underneath her, imagining Zelda underneath her, gasping as she fucked her. She imagined how she’d look all flushed, her mouth open, taking her. She imagined how her creamy legs would wrap around her so she could angle deeper, thrust harder. How Zelda’s eyes would blow wide as she came around her, and how Lilith would kiss her as she came down. 

She shuddered, crying into her pillow as her own orgasm rocked through her. 

“Fuck, Zelda!” Her voice strained, her hips jolting, burying her fingers deeper as she tightened around them. “God…”

***
The steam clouded the glass of the shower doors as Zelda leaned against the tiles, her fingers stroking her clit. She bit her lip, rolling her hips, squeezing at her nipple with her spare hand, droplets of water rolling slowly over her breasts and down her stomach. 

Sleep had finally come last night, although her dreams had been far from restful. Dream Lilith had teased her beyond measure, and Zelda woke with a sheen of sweat over her skin, her sheets tangled around her, soaked. 

She had stripped her bed and her nightgown, before slipping into the shower, hoping to wash away the heat pooling in her stomach, the urge, the need to come…

It hadn’t taken long before she’d been moaning softly as her fingers brushed the bundle of nerves, sending her leaning on the wall for support as she touched herself, thinking of Lilith. 

At first, she had replayed the previous evening, remembering the way she’d touched her, nipped at her neck and sucked at her collarbone. She’d remembered the touch of her fingers on her skin, the strong grip on her thighs, on her ass…

Then as she neared the edge, her mind had drifted to what Lilith would look like naked. The freckles on her chest, did they continue across her body? What would those responsive, stiff nipples feel like in her mouth, rolling under her tongue? Would Lilith’s fingers curl inside her like Zelda’s were doing right now? Would Lilith be this wet over her, the way Zelda was for her?

Zelda’s breaths came hard and fast, her back sticking to the wall as she tried to remain upright, tried to keep up the rhythm, but the thought of Lilith being this wet, of Zelda being able to touch her, to taste her…

She came hard, covering her own mouth with her hand to contain the rough, wanton moan of Lilith’s name that seemed to claw its way from her throat. Sagging against the wall, Zelda let her head bow forward, under the spray of water, panting as her hair soaked around her face. 

“Fuck.”

***

“Hi Auntie Zee!”

Sabrina was sitting in her chair when Zelda made her way into the kitchen, her hair dry and perfectly coiffed, wearing a white shirt with fitted blue jeans. 

“Hello darling,” she smiled, kissing her niece on her head. “Hello Hilda.”

Hilda, standing at the stove, gave her a once over before a smile lifted her lips. 

“Good morning, sister, you look… happy.”

Zelda arched her eyebrow, but still her lips lifted at the corners and she tickled her niece, distracting herself. 

“Perhaps.” She admitted, as Sabrina’s giggles died away and Zelda still found Hilda looking at her. Her sister’s smile widened. 

“Well, that’s good to hear. Did you sing last night?”

“I did. Two songs in fact.”

“Any... duets?”

Zelda rolled her eyes, catching the not so subtle hint. 

“I did not sing a duet, no.” Hilda’s face gained a knowing look and Zelda scoffed. “Really sister, you are nosey.”

“Can’t a sister enquire why her sister is so happy all of a sudden?”

“It was a good night, I had fun, most of the cast are very friendly.”

“Anyone particularly friendly?”

“Lucifer is a pig,” Zelda deflected. “Don’t spend too much time around him when you visit me in rehearsals.”

“Oh, I doubt I have much to worry about,” Hilda said. “But it sounds like he showed you some interest?”

“More than I liked.”

“Oh dear.”

“Don’t worry, I can handle him.”

“Was Faustus there?” Hilda brought some coffee over and Zelda settled in her seat, taking it from her gratefully. 

“Thank you. No, he wasn’t, thank goodness. I’m not sure Lilith and I could have fended off that much arrogant testosterone.”

“You and Lilith?”

Zelda cursed herself slightly, seeing the way her sister smiled. 

“Yes, it was her celebration after all. She is my friend.”

“Nice lady?” Sabrina asked, interrupting their conversation. Zelda was grateful and smiled at her niece. 

“Yes, Sabrina, your nice lady.”

“Can we go see Lilith and Auntie Zee again soon, Aunt Hilda?”

“Of course we can sweetheart. How about we drop in tomorrow and take Auntie Zelda out for dinner after rehearsal?”

“Oh…” Zelda shifted in her chair. “I can’t have dinner after rehearsal, I’m afraid. I have plans. But… perhaps lunch? Or Tuesday?”

“Plans?” Hilda smiled, a faux innocent look settling over her face. “With whom, might I ask?”

Zelda took a sip of her coffee, before sighing and putting it down. 

“With Lilith.”

“Oh? Any particular occasion?”

“Hilda,” Zelda said, exasperated. “Would you please stop interrogating me? Can’t I have a drink with a friend?”

“Of course. I’m sorry, sister.” Hilda, disappointed, shuffled off to the stove and Zelda sighed, feeling that tell tale ache in her chest that meant she’d over reacted again. 

“Hilda… I’m sorry. I just…” Zelda trailed off, feeling anxiety spike in her stomach again. She rubbed over the spot with her hand and then stood, picking up her coffee mug. “Sabrina, how would you like to go to the Park today?”

Sabrina’s eyes shone. 

“Yes please, Auntie Zee!”

“Very well, I shall go and put on something warm while you eat your breakfast, then we’ll get you all wrapped up.”

“Okay!” Sabrina bounced in her seat, filled with excitement. Zelda paused, looking at her sister. 

“Would you like to come with us, Hilda? Or would you like a little time to yourself?”

Hilda smiled softly at her. 

“A walk in the Park sounds wonderful.”

“Alright then.” Zelda headed up the stairs, coffee mug in hand, and closed her door behind her. Sitting on the bed, Zelda chewed her lip and then reached for her phone. She had debated texting Lilith that morning, but wondered if it would be too soon. She didn’t want to seem clingy, after all, especially when she didn’t know what Lilith wanted from this. But when her screen lit up and she found a text there from her, her heart thundered in her chest. 

Good morning, Zelda. ;)

She typed back a reply, before putting the phone down and taking a sip of coffee. 

Good morning, Lilith. 

She wished she knew what to say. She wanted to ask how she felt, ask her if she was still thinking about last night like Zelda was, ask her if she’d touched herself like Zelda had… That wouldn’t be appropriate though, would it? 

I hate that I broke my promise. 

Zelda frowned typing her answer quickly. 

What promise?

She worried her lip, staring as the three dots appeared. When Lilith’s answer appeared however, she chuckled, rolling her eyes. 

I let you leave unsatisfied. 

Putting down her coffee on her bedside cabinet, Zelda laid back on the bed, typing. 

You fulfilled the other part of your promise… you left me wanting to come back for more.

Zelda watched the screen, waiting for those three dots to reappear. They didn’t, and as the seconds ticked by, she sucked on the inside of her cheek before putting down her phone and getting up. Heading to her wardrobe, Zelda picked through until she found one of her favourite jumpers, pulling it on over her head and smoothing down her hair again. 

Checking herself in the mirror, she returned to her coffee, sipping it as she picked up her phone. 

There are so many things I want to say in response to that. 

Zelda bit her lip, feeling heat rush to her cheeks. 

She was toying with fire, really. This felt on the cusp of something more, on the edge of a conversation that could leave her in the same state that their evening together had. 

So why don’t you?

Her heart beat loudly in her chest, and she put down the coffee. 

The three dots appeared again and Zelda swallowed. 

Because we’re supposed to talk tomorrow, and if I say what’s on my mind now, I don’t know how I’ll get through rehearsal, let alone a conversation with you.

Zelda smirked. 

I believe I will tease you about that tomorrow.

Lilith replied almost immediately. 

I wouldn’t have it any other way. 

Zelda smiled, slipping her phone in her pocket and heading downstairs. 

“Right, I’m ready. Are you finished with breakfast, Sabrina?”

“Yes, Auntie!” Sabrina hopped carefully down from her seat and grabbed Zelda’s hand. Zelda looked across at Hilda. 

“I’ll take her to get washed and dressed. Do you want us to clear the table before we head up?”

“No, no, I’ll do that,” Hilda smiled. 

“Alright then.” Zelda looked down at her niece. “Come on then, darling. Let’s get you ready.”

Zelda helped Sabrina to wash her face and clean her teeth, before putting on a jumper, gloves, hat and scarf. She was bundled up so well that when she ran laughing down the corridor and hit the wall, with Zelda in hot pursuit, she bounced off and went rolling on the floor. 

“Sabrina!” Zelda caught up, picking her up to check if there was any damage. “Are you alright?”

Sabrina’s bottom lip trembled, but she didn’t appear to be hurt. 

“I’m okay, Auntie.”

“You have to be more careful,” Zelda said, stroking her cheek with her thumb before dropping a kiss on her hat. “I’m glad you’re okay. Let’s go see if Aunt Hilda is ready, shall we?”

Sabrina nodded her head and Zelda took her hand before guiding her carefully down the stairs. Hilda was putting on her coat when they got downstairs. 

“Ready to go?” She smiled at them both, and Sabrina nodded vigorously. 

Zelda sat her on the little bench next to the front door and knelt in front of her, helping her on with her boots. She glanced up and winked at Sabrina. 

“There, all done.” 

Sabrina leaned forward, clutching Zelda’s head for support and kissed her on the forehead, like Zelda had done to her so many times. 

“Thank you.”

“Good girl,” Hilda praised her as Zelda stood up, grabbing her own coat. 

Wrapped up warm against the winter air, the three Spellman’s bundled themselves into the car to head to the Park. 

Zelda watched from the coffee cart as Hilda pushed Sabrina on the swing. It felt like a long time since they’d been able to do this; with rehearsals Zelda’s family time was limited at best. She chewed her lip. 

There were times when she wondered whether she was doing the right thing. The stage took her away from her family, and they needed her, didn’t they? Then again, she earned money, and while Hilda’s work as a seamstress helped, it wasn’t enough for their bills. Zelda hated dipping into their savings for anything. In her line of work, she could be out on her ass at any point with an injury, a flop of a show, or just because of her age. Parts were less and less as she got closer to forty, and she dreaded the day that she wouldn’t be able to perform any more. They needed the savings for then, just in case. 
“A coffee, a hot chocolate and a tea,” the vendor said behind her, and she turned to thank and pay him. 

Balancing them carefully, Sabrina’s little cup of hot chocolate resting on top of her own coffee, Zelda walked back to her family. 

They huddled together on a bench, Sabrina between the sisters, her gloved hands wrapped around her cup as she stuck her face in the steam rising from it. Her nose was a little pink with the cold and Zelda found herself thinking that soon they will have to find somewhere warmer for her. She shivered at the idea of one of those loud, colourful and plastic play areas where children run rampant, and settled instead on the idea of buying lunch for them all at a cafe where Sabrina can do some colouring instead. 

She glanced at her sister and her own pink nose and cheeks, and when Hilda looked back at her, Zelda sighed. 

“About earlier, Hilda…”

“It doesn’t matter,” her sister said, when Zelda trailed off without a plan for the rest of her sentence. “I understand that you want to have parts of your life that are yours and yours alone.”

Zelda nodded and looked back at the Park, sucking on the inside of her cheek before taking another sip of coffee. The heat of it warmed her, and when she swallowed, she turned her head back to Hilda. 

“I believe you were right, last night, when you said that it might not be so bad for me to lose my head a little. I am trying, for once, to listen to you, sister.”

Hilda’s smile could have lit up their house on its own, before she cleared her throat, nodded and looked back at the park. The smile tried repeatedly to raise her lips again, and Zelda smothered her own small smile at her sister’s reaction. 

“Well,” Hilda murmured after a few moments. “That’s very good to hear. If you would like me to set an extra place at dinner at any point, just let me know.”

Zelda smiled. 

“I will, thank you Hilda. But I think for now, until I know if this is truly something, I would like to keep my different lives as separate as possible.” She glanced down at Sabrina between them, who was kicking her legs back and forward as she sipped her hot chocolate, seemingly lost in her own world. “I wouldn’t want anyone to come into our home, into our lives, who wasn’t going to stay.”

“That’s very good to hear,” Hilda said, and then her hand reached over Sabrina’s lap and she squeezed her sister’s knee. Sabrina looked up at her Aunt’s and then carefully leaned her head against Zelda, still gripping her drink. 

Zelda’s heart swelled and she swallowed. 

“Well, how do we feel about heading to a café for some lunch? I know a lovely place just around the corner.”

Notes:

If you're interested in joining the 18+ Michelle Gomez Appreciation Society server, here is the link: https://discord.gg/8EXxWqAeAk. Quite a few of us are heading to Greendale Con so there's a channel about that.

I hope you're all enjoying this story. I'm trying to finish a couple of stories off, this being one of them, before I start another large one of which there are currently... 3? Maybe 4, started in my google docs. In addition I have also begun writing my original story about space pirates, which is very gay, so I'm spending some time on that in an attempt to break back into writing my non-fanfic ideas, which I haven't done since the beginning of 2018. So hopefully it won't disrupt postings too much.

I'll also shortly be opening a Redbubble store, details for which will hopefully be appearing on my Instagram and Twitter soon.

Anyway, that's all my updates I think. See you on the next chapter/story etc.

Chapter 11: Hard

Summary:

It's Monday, and in the aftermath of their last meeting, Lilith and Zelda have an interesting day.

Notes:

Had a rough day, so I decided to push all my chaos energy into getting some of your braincells with this snipe. Commence gay panic please, it feeds my mental health.

Chapter Text

Lilith tried to walk normally as she headed into rehearsal, but her feet seemed to want to hurry. She knew that she was already going to be early, which wasn’t a bad thing, but she didn’t want to appear too eager. 

The rare urge to smoke made her fingers twitchy as a man walked past her and exhaled a breath of smoke. She shoved her hands into the pockets of her leather jacket and continued on, burying her nose into her scarf to avoid the chill in the air. She longed for warmer weather, although autumn was her favourite time. Now with it gone and replaced by the winter chill, Lilith wanted spring. 

As she crossed the road, she idly wondered what Zelda’s favourite season was. 

She stopped outside the gate to the alleyway, a familiar scent reaching her. Lilith grinned, and then opened it, slipping inside. 

Zelda turned, spotted her, and her lips twitched into a nervous smile. 

“Lilith,” she breathed. 

“Hello,” Lilith bit her lip, eyes sliding over the smart black coat that was wrapped around Zelda, contrasting with her pale skin and bright hair. She looked so perfect, and Lilith felt as though she was almost seeing her for the first time. 

A small part of her wanted to mess up that perfectly applied lipstick and her coiffed hair. 

“You’re early.”

“For some reason I couldn’t wait to get to rehearsal.”

“How did you know I was here?” Zelda asked, flicking ash on the floor and taking another inhale from her cigarette. 

“The smoke. I recognise your brand.”

“Oh you do?” Zelda’s eyes sparkled, the sign that she wanted to tease Lilith, as she blew out the cloud of smoke. “You’ve really been paying attention, haven’t you?”

“How could I not?” Lilith smirked, stepping forward. Zelda watched her carefully. 

“Flirtatious in the morning, aren’t you?”

“Too much?” Lilith stepped into Zelda’s space, far enough that she wasn’t invading if Zelda answered yes, but close enough that she could reach out and touch her.

“No,” Zelda replied softly, her eyes tracing over Lilith’s face fondly. “Not too much at all. In fact, I like it.”

“Good. Because I haven’t stopped thinking about you. What I want to say to you.” Lilith shifted a little closer, until she could feel Zelda’s breath on her lips. “Do to you.”

Zelda swallowed, and she looked down, dropping her cigarette and stubbing it out with her boot. When she looked back at Lilith, she smiled. 

“I thought you were going to behave? Something about not being able to get through rehearsal if you told me what you want to do to me…”

Lilith’s smirk grew and she licked her lips. 

“You’re right, of course. Perhaps I should stop.” She went to withdraw and Zelda reached out, grasping her jacket and keeping her in place. She leaned and brushed her lips gently against Lilith’s; a barely there kiss that sent both their hearts thundering against their chests. 

Zelda leaned past Lilith, whose eyelids were closed, and husked into her ear. 

“I woke up wet for you yesterday.” Lilith inhaled sharply as Zelda’s nose brushed her ear, and she continued. “And I had to touch myself in the shower thinking of what you’d do to me.”

“Fuck…” Lilith moaned, her hands gripping Zelda through her coat, holding her close. “What did you imagine?”

“What your fingers would feel like inside me,” Zelda replied roughly. “How wet you’d be for me and what you’d taste like…”

Zelda found herself pushed against the wall and then Lilith’s lips were on her. She gasped into Lilith’s mouth as she felt a thigh roughly pushed between her legs and couldn’t help herself; grinding into it. Lilith nipped at her bottom lip, tugging it and then kissing her hard again. 

“Tease,” she husked, against Zelda’s lips, pushing her thigh up against Zelda, who ground down again with a light moan. “I should make you wet and then leave you wanting through rehearsal.”

“I think I’m already wet,” Zelda moaned, her hips rolling. “It’s been so long since I’ve wanted someone like this.”

Her cheeks pinked as she realised what she’d just said, and Lilith kissed her again. 

“For me too.” The softness in the way Lilith said it warmed Zelda, not in the way that the heat and desire had, but she felt it all the same. 

“We should stop,” Zelda purred, although her hips rocked once more into Lilith, her fingers burying themselves into her hair as she pressed little kisses over her lips and jaw. “Go inside.”

“We’re early.” Lilith captured Zelda’s lips in a kiss again, tasting smoke, peppermint and coffee. 

“If we keep going…” Zelda couldn’t finish the sentence; the idea of anyone helping her get off in an alleyway was something that would previously have offended her, but right now all it did was make her hips rock harder, and she found herself unable to help the little moan that escaped her. Lilith’s eyes darkened further and she tugged at Zelda’s hips, pulling her close against her thigh. Zelda panted. “Fuck, Lilith, we can’t do this. Not here. Not now.”

“I know,” Lilith bit her lip. “I don’t want our first time to be a quick fuck in an alley. I want my fingers inside you, my mouth on you-”

Zelda stopped her from continuing, kissing her hard to cut off the words before she could decide to throw all caution to the wind and get herself off on Lilith’s thigh. When the kiss ended, a delicious tearing sound brought her eyes down to Lilith’s swollen lips for a moment before looking into lidded blue eyes, she pushed her gently back, enough to remove herself from her thigh. She felt hot all over, could feel that she was wet, and her heartbeat sounded loud in her own ears. She cleared her throat, biting her lip, before her hand cupped Lilith’s face and wiped lipstick from her lips and face. 

“You’re dangerous, Lilith.”

“Oh I don’t think I’m the only one,” Lilith husked. “You definitely started that one.”

“I wanted to give you something to think about all day.”

“Well now we both have that,” Lilith chuckled, leaning in to press another light kiss to Zelda before running her thumb over her lips to clear the smudges she’d left. “I’ve ruined your lipstick.”

“I can reapply it.”

“It suits you.”

Zelda smiled. 

“Thank you. It was the first lipstick shade I bought in America.”

“I meant you looking slightly dishevelled, like you’ve just been naughty. But the colour is lovely too.”

Zelda raised her eyebrow, leaned in, and in a low voice, husked:

“Oh, but I have just been naughty.”

“Don’t I know it,” Lilith bit her lip. “Should we maybe have our hot chocolate somewhere else, other than my apartment? If you really want to talk, that is?”

“Are you suggesting that we wouldn’t be able to restrain ourselves?” Zelda chuckled, smoothing down her hair blindly. 

“Perhaps,” Lilith shrugged, reaching out to smooth some of Zelda’s hair behind her ear. “Or maybe I’m suggesting that we go for dinner.”

Zelda blushed. 

“Did you just ask me on a date?”

“I did, yes.”

“Lilith, I…” Zelda shifted her feet. “That sounds... lovely.”

Lilith beamed. 

“Great. There are a few places we could go; any preferences? Or… dietary requirements?” Zelda shook her head, smiling and then stepped forward to press another kiss to Lilith’s lips. Lilith smiled softly as they parted. “What was that for?”

“Because you’re sweet.”

“I already told you, I am not swe-” Zelda kissed her again, and Lilith’s fingers flexed on Zelda’s hips, before she tugged her closer and sighed into her. “You’re distracting.”

“Am I?” Zelda smirked. 

“Yes, and you know it. We should go inside and keep our hands to ourselves.”

“If that’s what you want.” Zelda stepped back, her teasing smile still in place. 

“It’s not what I want. But it’s what we should do.” Lilith smirked, watching Zelda running a hand through her hair again. 

“And if we could do what you want?”

Lilith chuckled.

“I think you can probably work that out, Zelda. I’m not telling you or you’ll end up plastered against that wall and this time we won’t stop.” Zelda chewed her lip, as though she were considering it. Lilith’s eyes flashed. “Don’t even joke about that. I’m practicing impressive self-control here. I don’t normally wait for what I want.”

“Only child?” Zelda joked. 

Lilith’s smile slipped slightly, and then she shrugged. 

“Sort of.”

Zelda frowned. 

“I’m sorry, I feel I’ve put my foot in it.”

“No, it’s okay,” Lilith waved her concern away. “More of a conversation for later than in the few minutes before rehearsal.”

Zelda stepped closer and took Lilith’s hand, squeezing it. 

“Later then.”

“Yes,” Lilith smiled, brushing her thumb over Zelda’s fingers. “Shall we go in?”

“Yes.”

Lilith held the gate open for Zelda and the pair headed inside the building, the distance between them a little smaller than it had been only a few days ago. As they climbed the stairs, Lilith’s fingers brushed occasionally against Zelda’s, who desperately wanted to capture them. But there were eyes all around them, and she didn’t want this public yet. Not until they were sure. 

***
“Get those kicks higher!” Faustus yelled from the front and Lilith kicked harder, although she could feel her muscles screaming at her to stop. “This isn’t the chorus, Demons!”

Grimacing as she turned away, Lilith finished the routine in spectacular fashion, covered in sweat and feeling almost faint. Faustus hadn’t let her have a break since they’d begun, claiming that she had too much to work on. Lilith had been sure she’d got everything down, perhaps a few areas that she could feel more comfortable with, but apparently she was nowhere near ready. 

“Disappointing,” Faustus claimed, giving her a sneer. Lilith deflated a little. 

“I just need a break,” she rasped, her throat dry. 

“A break isn’t going to help you get this right,” he scoffed. 

“A break is a legal requirement.” Lilith looked up as Zelda’s voice came from the door. She’d been with Prudence for the last hour or so, rehearsing Roxie’s scenes, while the rest of the cast danced with, or watched, Lilith under Faustus’ critical eye. “Surely you haven’t forgotten that, Faustus?”

Faustus Blackwood’s jaw tightened, but he nodded. 

“You’re right, of course. It’s about lunch anyway. Demons, come back after ready to really work, or else your time as Velma has an expiration date.”

With that, Faustus dismissed them, heading out of the other door to the small practice room where he and the rest of the creative team often ate. 

Lilith reached her bag and sagged to the floor, grabbing her bottle of water and gulping it until most of it was gone. She tugged off her shoes, finding new and painful blisters and her toe bleeding. Wincing, she grabbed the box of band aids she always carried and began to tape herself up. 

“What the fuck is wrong with him?” Roz and Agatha sank down next to her. “Did you piss him off? It’s like he’s trying to get you to quit.”

“I don’t know,” Lilith taped up her toe, wiping sweat from her forehead with her arm as she did so. “He’s a fucking sadist.”

“More so than usual,” Zelda’s soft voice came from above and Lilith looked up as she sank down on her knees next to her. “He’s being cruel on purpose. I’ve seen it before.”

“Why? What the fuck did I do?”

“I don’t know.” Zelda’s hand rested momentarily on her shoulder, her thumb skating over her skin, before she withdrew. “But it doesn’t matter if you did something or not, he can’t treat you this way.”

“I think he can do whatever he wants,” Agatha worried her lip. “He’s in charge.”

“Well he  won’t have someone to be cruel to if I get injured because he’s been an ass,” Lilith hissed, putting a band aid over her biggest blister. 

“We should get you some fresh air. And some more water,” Zelda said, picking up her bottle. “Lunch out?”

“I don’t want to move ever again,” Lilith groaned, wanting nothing more than to lean into Zelda, close her eyes and sleep. She slid her feet into socks instead.  

“If you don’t move you’ll seize up and that’ll be worse,” Zelda scolded gently. “Come on. Up you get. Roz, Agatha, join us for lunch?”

“Sure,” they chorused. 

Zelda offered Lilith her hand and helped her to her feet. She steadied her as Lilith put on her boots, and then, as Lilith leaned down to get her purse, Zelda stopped her. 

“Lunch is on me.”

“What, no-”

“No arguments,” Zelda levelled her with a look she usually only gave Sabrina when she’d been argumentative. Lilith frowned. “You can buy dinner tonight.”

Lilith’s lips twitched and the frown that had been creasing her forehead smoothed out. 

“Oh I can?”

“If you like.”

“Well, I did ask you. It’s only fair.”

“That’s settled then.” Zelda walked beside her, and Lilith saw her watching her carefully. She tried not to wince too much, since Zelda’s eyes got bigger every time she did, and she hated to see the woman worry. Agatha and Roz joined them at the door and they all headed out for lunch. 

Lilith devoured her sandwich as though she hadn’t eaten in weeks. The only time she stopped was when she was drinking more water, and Zelda, Roz and Agatha watched her, concerned. 

“You really don’t know why he’s acting this way?” Roz asked when Lilith came up for air. 

Lilith hesitated, the last bite of sandwich hovering between the plate and her mouth. 

“I guess I was a little rude last rehearsal, butting into his conversation with Zelda?”

Zelda frowned. 

“No, that’s not enough for this level of reaction. I’d expect him to be treating me this way, not you.”

“He’s not exactly being friendly to you either.”

“No, but that’s to be expected.”

“Uh…” Agatha looked between them. “Someone want to fill us in?”

Lilith sighed, dropping her last piece of sandwich on the plate. 

“In our last rehearsal, Faustus was being a bit of a dick so I gave Zelda an excuse to leave by saying she was giving me a ride home. It rubbed him up the wrong way.” She glanced at Zelda, checking that she hadn’t been out of line sharing the information. Zelda offered her a small, resigned smile.

“Okay… that definitely doesn’t explain this.”

Lilith sighed, shrugged and picked up the last piece of sandwich again. 

“Maybe I’m just not good enough.”

“What?” They chorused, before breaking into different arguments for exactly why Lilith was perfect for the role. Zelda reached across the  table and rested her hand on Lilith’s arm. 

“Lilith, you are incredible. I only saw the end, when you were flagging, but even then you were incredible. A little raw perhaps, but the way he was running you ragged that’s to be expected.”

“Zelda, if he keeps pushing like this I’m going to get injured. Or have a breakdown, not sure which.”

Zelda’s hand tightened on her arm, and then she withdrew, blinking as she looked down at her food. 

“I won’t let that happen.”

“We won’t either,” Roz piped in. Agatha nodded. 

Lilith smiled at her friends, watching out of the corner of her eye as Zelda pulled herself together. 

“Well, we have another half an hour before we have to go back,” Lilith said. “I might be able to walk by then.”

Zelda’s shoe brushed against Lilith’s calf and she caught her breath, glancing at the woman. Zelda stroked her calf, up and down, a few times, before pulling away. Lilith smiled at her. In other circumstances it might’ve been flirtatious, but now, Lilith felt the comfort of that secret touch. It was Zelda saying, ‘I’m here’. 

***

“Rehearsals are over,” Faustus called out, and the cast sagged in relief. After lunch, Faustus had stopped targeting Lilith so intensely, but he had been hard on everyone. Lilith’s relief was palpable. 

“Thank fuck for that,” Agatha whispered. 

Lilith hid a tired smile. 

“See you all tomorrow.” Faustus packed up, and the cast all dispersed to their bags. 

“God I need a good shower,” Lilith groaned as she reached for her bottle of water. 

“I was thinking the same thing,” Zelda used her towel to wipe off the sweat creating a sheen across her arms and chest. Lilith licked her lips, her eyes darting over her before returning to her face. She lowered her voice and leaned closer to the red-head. 

“Do you want to go home and shower? We could delay dinner until later, if you need?”

“No, I can shower here,” Zelda replied. “I always bring a bag of toiletries, just in case.”

“Here?” Lilith screwed up her face. “The showers here aren’t exactly nice.”
“Do you have a better idea? I don’t want to make it home and come back to the city.”

Lilith looked like she was debating something. 

“You could shower at mine?”

Zelda chuckled. 

“If I shower at yours, Lilith, I doubt we’d make it out to dinner.”

“I can behave.”

“I’m sure you can. I’m saying I doubt I would.”

Lilith bit her lip, grinning. 

“Oh?”

“What’re you two whispering about?” Agatha asked. 

“Nothing,” Zelda waved her away. “Just rehearsal.”

“Mhmm, sure, I believe you. Lilith’s face totally looks like she’s talking about that torture. Completely.”

“Shut up,” Lilith rolled her eyes, laughing. 

Agatha smirked at her, mimed zipping her lips closed and then waved. 

“Whatever, I’m going to go make love to my two favourite guys, Ben and Jerry. See you tomorrow.”

“Bye,” Lilith and Zelda both chuckled, watching her leave. 

“So, my place?”

“You could barely walk earlier and you think I’m going to pounce on you?” Zelda rolled her eyes. “No. I’ll shower here and meet you wherever you like, other than your apartment.”

“Fine,” Lilith chuckled. “I’ll text you an address?”

“I look forward to it.”

***
Lilith stared critically at her wardrobe, and then pulled out her phone. 

What are you wearing?

As soon as she sent it, she froze and then let her head fall back with a groan. 

“Great, Demons, that’s just great.”

She began typing an apology for sounding like she was perving on Zelda, but before she could, the three dots appeared, followed by a reply. 

Clothing.

She could hear the dry teasing tone that Zelda was using in her mind, and it made her smile. 

That’s a pity. But I meant what’re you wearing to dinner, because I don’t want to be under or over dressed.

She glanced in the mirror as she waited for a reply. While she was toned, her stomach had begun developing a softness to it. She traced her fingers over it. She quite liked it actually, although she’d hated it and agonised over it when she realised that it wasn’t going away. 

Chewing her lip, she frowned at the new bruises on her knees and thighs. She had always bruised rather spectacularly, and a couple of moments in rehearsals had brought them out all over. Twisting, she surveyed the back of her legs. Another couple there. Damn, heels really packed a punch when they connected. She turned back to face the mirror and looked herself up and down. 

The black lingerie she was wearing might be a bit presumptuous, but if Zelda ended up in her apartment tonight, Lilith wanted to look her best. Her phone pinged. 

I confess to bringing two options for the same reason. I was just agonising over them myself. 

Lilith smiled, and then raised her eyebrows. Did that mean that Zelda was currently in the same state of undress as she was? God that image… She bit her lip and typed. 

Well, after today I feel like comfort food. How do you feel about smart casual and pizza? 

Are there options other than pizza?

Lilith raised an eyebrow. 

Yes, why? Please don’t tell me you don’t like pizza. That’s a dealbreaker. 

Lilith watched the dots appear, then disappear, then reappear. 

Pizza is a sin that my personal trainer would likely murder me for.

Lilith chuckled. 

Personal trainer, fancy. Well, it could be our little secret? Or tell them that I kidnapped you and force fed you pizza. Then they can chase after me, and I’ll burn off the pizza running away.

Okay, so she became an absolute idiot around Zelda. Not something Lilith was used to. She chewed her lip again. 

Pizza it is

Lilith grinned from ear to ear. 

Great. It’s not far from the studio actually. I’ll leave in 10 mins, I just need to get dressed. 

She texted her the address and then went to her dresser, pulling out a pair of black jeans. Her phone buzzed from where she’d put it down on top of the dresser, right as she was jumping around to get her ass into them. Fastening them up, Lilith grabbed her phone and leaned on the dresser to read the message. 

Lilith Demons, are you telling me that you have been texting me while naked? 

I believe that you were the first one to admit to not being clothed during this conversation, Spellman. 

Well, I’m clothed now. 

A picture of Zelda, taken in the studio mirror, popped up in their messages. Again, she had chopped her head out of the picture, which Lilith made a mental note to ask about, before she got distracted by tight blue jeans tucked into boots, and a cosy looking grey knit sweater with a white shirt collar. She looked smart but cute, and Lilith smiled softly. 

Beautiful. 

She could imagine Zelda blushing at the comment, and grabbed a black shirt, buttoning it up and tucking it into her jeans. She surveyed the effect, and then grabbed her red lipstick, adding it. There, perfect. 

Wrapping a scarf around her neck, and slipping on her leather jacket and matching boots, Lilith grabbed her phone and purse before heading out. As she stepped into the street, her phone buzzed again. 

I’m sure you look beautiful too. I’m leaving now. 

Lilith smiled at the message and snapped a selfie under a street light. She looked a little coy and flirtatious, so she sent it and then tucked her hands into her pockets and hurried through the streets. 

She crossed the street, just as snow began to fall, and she felt it clinging to her hair. Shivering, she buried her face into her scarf and pressed on, through all the people doing the same. She felt her phone buzz in her pocket, but pushed on, until she reached the little pizzeria. In the cover of the door, she took out her phone and glanced at the screen. 

I see I was right. Beautiful. 

Chapter 12: Date

Summary:

Lilith and Zelda have their date.

Notes:

Happy New Year everyone!

Chapter Text

Zelda smoothed the napkin over her thighs and took a steadying breath. Lilith wasn’t there yet, and a strange nervous thrum was making itself known in her chest. Zelda had never been one to get so emotionally vulnerable so fast, but Lilith… well she had a way of making her feel so at ease. 

The sound of the bell at the door tinkling dragged Zelda’s gaze, and she saw Lilith appear, flecks of snow in her hair and scarf. She looked around, catching Zelda’s eye, and smiled. 

Oh. 

Zelda’s heart fluttered. 

Lilith made her way through the small tables; the low lighting in the pizzeria gave the place a warm and friendly feel and it suited Lilith somehow, Zelda thought. She unwrapped her scarf as she neared the table, unzipping her leather jacket, and Zelda stood to greet her as she dropped them onto the unoccupied booth seat across from the red head. 

“Hello,” Zelda smiled, and Lilith grinned. 

“Hi.”

They hovered for a second, and then Lilith stepped in, wrapping her arms around Zelda and pulling her close. Zelda melted into her.

Lilith smelled good; her hair was scented with cinnamon and apples, and Zelda caught herself burying her nose to inhale the scent. Lilith chuckled, her thumb smoothing over Zelda’s jumper. Zelda’s cheeks warmed and she pulled away slightly, looking at the woman. Blue eyes, somehow brightened by the red lips that parted softly, as though asking to be kissed. 

Zelda’s hands felt like they fit on Lilith’s waist, and she wanted to slide them further around and leave them where they rested all at the same time. She didn’t know if she should kiss Lilith, and then her eyes darted around, realising that they had been embracing far too long for it to be simply friendly. No one appeared to be looking but… 

She looked back at Lilith, gave her a light smile, and withdrew gently. Lilith let her go, although her hands trailed away softly, as though she couldn’t quite bear to part with her yet. Zelda slid into the booth and Lilith opposite, although not before Zelda caught sight of how the fitted shirt tucked into her jeans made her look so damn good. 

“You look… good. Really good.” Zelda glanced down at the menu and only when she heard Lilith’s chuckle did she look up again. “What?”

“Are you nervous, Zelda?”

Zelda would have scoffed normally, but Lilith’s light teasing also held warmth, understanding and patience.

“Yes. A little.”

“Why?” Lilith’s hand slid across the table, resting on Zelda’s arm for a moment with light fingers that raised the hairs and sent a light shiver through the other woman. 

“Well, to tell you the truth… it’s been a while since I’ve been on a date. If this is a date. And it’s been longer since I’ve been on a date with a woman.”

“How long?” Lilith murmured. 

“Since I was on a date, or since I dated a woman?”

“Both.”

“Since I was on a date… before Sabrina came to us. So a few years. I’m a little rusty.”

“And since you dated a woman?”

“Oh…” Zelda thought back to Marie, and their parting. “Almost five years.”

“Someone special?”

“Yes. The only one who has been special.” Zelda glanced up at Lilith from where she’d been gazing at her fingers smoothing her skin so gently. “Until…”

Lilith’s smile broadened. 

“Well… I think you’re doing well, for someone who claims she’s rusty.”

“I brought up inexperience and exes within the first few moments; I believe that’s a cardinal sin right there.”

“One I can overlook,” Lilith teased. “If you promise to finish that ‘until’ sentence.”

Zelda flushed and raised her eyebrow, pursing her lips in amusement. 

“You require me to finish that sentence?”

“Require? No. Would like you to…? Yes.”

Zelda rolled her eyes. 

“Until now, Lilith.”

“So I’m special?” Lilith’s smug amusement and teasing banished the nervousness from Zelda immediately, no doubt the other woman’s intention, and she scoffed in amusement. 

“You have a certain charm I suppose.”’

“It was my knowledge of potatoes that did it, wasn’t it?”

Zelda laughed, shaking her head. 

“Actually, I’d spotted you before then.”

“Well I should hope so. I mean, we have been working together for-”

“I mean that I was interested before that. At first I just thought that you were attractive.” Zelda’s eyes roamed slowly over Lilith, a small smirk on her lips. “Which you can hardly blame me for. The way you…”

Zelda leaned forward onto the table between them, her tongue sliding over her lips and her eyebrow twitched in amusement before she continued. 

“The way you sank down onto your partner in Cell Block. You’re striking; you have this energy that demands and commands attention when you want it. And it’s… seductive.” Zelda bit her lip, sliding her leg forward so that her calf rested against Lilith’s. The brunette’s eyes were fixed on her, and her breathing was heavier, her eyes more lidded. “Who wouldn’t notice you?”

Lilith leaned in, resting on her forearms. 

“So you were attracted to me.”

“Yes.”

“You wanted me?”

“I wouldn’t go as far as that,” Zelda smirked. “I’ve met many attractive women through the years. It takes more than that for me to… want someone.”

Lilith’s tongue flicked out to lick her lips and she glanced around before looking back at Zelda. 

“What made you want me?”

“Be more specific.”

Lilith raised her eyebrow, confused.

“More specific than you wanting me?”

Zelda smiled and moved her hand to where Lilith’s rested, tracing her veins with her finger tips. 

“Want you, as in, wanted to spend more time with you, wanted to date you or… wanted you so badly that I had to take the edge off in the shower before coming here?”

Lilith swallowed, feeling heat pooling in a way that made her shift forward in her seat. 

“Oh I want to know the answers to all of those options.”

“But particularly the last one?”

“The last one makes me want to take you back to my place and screw dinner.”

“Don’t you mean screw me?” Zelda chuckled, although it was husky, and she had leaned even closer. They were toying with each other’s nerves, watching each other to see who was the most affected. 

“Stop teasing me or that’s exactly what I’ll do.”

“What if I want that?”

“You wanted to talk.”

Zelda swallowed thickly, her eyes burning. 

“Yes. I did want that.”

“Uh… do you want me to come back?”

They were pulled from the intensity by a nervous looking waiter hovering by their table. Lilith took a deep breath and pulled back, leaning against the seat as the heat that had clouded her brain eased. She watched as Zelda shifted, clearing her throat and looked at her, unsure. 

“Do you want to eat?” Lilith asked. Zelda opened her mouth to respond, and then her stomach made a gurgling sound. Her eyes widened and Lilith chuckled, turning to the waiter. “We would like to order, but if you could get us drinks while we check the menu that would be great.”

“And what can I get you?”

“Scotch,” Zelda muttered and then cleared her throat. “No, just water, thank you.”

“The same for me, thank you.”

“Alright, I’ll be right back with those and to take your order.”

He disappeared and Lilith ran her tongue over her teeth, before chuckling. 

“You’re… something.”

“Something?” Zelda played coy, although the lift in the corners of her lips were a dead give away. 

“Are you free this evening?”

“I could be. It’s early yet.”

“Would you need to go home?”

Zelda hesitated. 

“Yes.”

Lilith nodded. 

“Then perhaps we could refrain from venturing into dangerous territory, because once I have you in my bed I won’t let you go.”

“No?” Zelda blew out a breath.

“No.” 

Lilith’s eyes were determined, steady and inviting. Zelda wasn’t sure how to proceed, so she looked down at the menu. 

“What’s good here?”

“Pizza.”

“So you said.” Zelda glanced up and found Lilith’s gaze still the same. “Lilith, if you keep looking at me like that…”

“Like what?”

“Like you want permission to devour me.”

Lilith’s lips twitched and then she looked down at the menu, and the loss of that look had Zelda almost disappointed. 

“I can’t help myself.” Lilith’s voice came as she studied the menu intently. “I’m not sure I’ve ever been this… hungry for someone before.”

She glanced up. Zelda licked her lips. 

“That’s good to know.”

“Is it?”

“Yes.”

“Why?”

“Because I’m starving.”

Lilith surveyed her silently, and then leaned forward. 

“In answer to your earlier question, yes. This is a date. And because it’s a date, I would very much like to make sure that we get to have the conversation that you wanted. So I’m going to restrain myself until after we have talked and eaten our food, and then when I walk you to your car, I’m going to see if you still have any appetite left. If you do, then you’re welcome to come back to mine to finish what we started the other night.”

Zelda swallowed. 

“Okay.”

“Okay?”

“Yes, Lilith.” Zelda smirked. “Okay, that sounds like a good plan.”

“Good.”

“And in answer to your earlier question, I started wanting to spend more time with you after you performed ‘Can’t Do it Alone’ and did that knee slide because you didn’t know the ending. I thought you had guts and you were… interesting. Then there was the misunderstanding and I was angry and you were so kind to Sabrina. I was confused. And then we started talking more and I began to like you. More than I expected.”

“Well, I’m very likeable.” Lilith grinned and Zelda rolled her eyes fondly. 

“Yes. Then I started to realise I might like you more than as a potential new friend. I think it might have been at the store. I felt so comfortable with you even though I didn’t really know you. And then there was the run in the rain, and you looked like a drowned rat but you were quite charming at the same time.”

“You almost gave me a heart attack that night.”

“How?”

“And here’s your water.” The waiter appeared, placing two glasses onto the table. He took out his notepad and looked at them expectantly. “What can I get you to eat?”

They ordered, and when he left, Zelda took a sip of water and then raised her eyebrow. 

“So?”

“So…?” Lilith smirked. “How did you give me a heart attack, is that what you’re asking?”

“Yes. Drama Queen.”

“When you reached to get me a towel, you… You were so close, and then later you told me that I was talented, and then you asked if I was going to keep teasing you. I wanted to tease you. I wanted to kiss you.”
“Why didn’t you?”

“Would you have let me?”

“Probably not,” Zelda admitted. “I hadn’t worked out everything yet. I would likely have pulled away and then not spoken to you for a while.”

“Then I made the right decision.”

“Yes, you did.” Zelda smiled and again, her hand stretched across the table. This time, Lilith met her half way. They didn’t link hands, but they rested next to each other, the skin of Zelda’s little finger brushing Lilith’s thumb. “I want to kiss you now.”

“So kiss me,” Lilith smiled. 

Zelda laughed. 

“I meant in general, not right now.”

“Shame.”

Zelda smiled and then looked around, her smile dropping slightly. 

“Lilith, I would love to kiss you. But I’m not sure I’m ready for that, in public. I’m not sure I’m ready for anyone to know.”

Lilith frowned. 

“Of course.”

“It’s not that I don’t like you, I just…”

“Is it… do you not want to be out? I mean, I didn’t know you liked women until you started flirting with me but-”

“No! No it’s not that. I couldn’t give a damn whether people know that.” Zelda hissed. “But I’m a private person, I always have been. That’s why there’s very little about my private life online. I prefer it that way. And I don’t want my family to find out about us until I’m sure that there is an us to talk about. Well, anymore than they’ve already guessed.”

“You mean you want to see if this is a long term thing, not a short term fling?” Lilith’s lips twitched in amusement and Zelda smiled. 

“Yes, Lilith. I do.”
“I understand. But just so you know, anyone who didn’t want more of you would be completely insane.”

Zelda shook her head, chuckling. 

“You don’t know all of me yet. I’m not easy to be with, you know. I work long hours, I’m always tired…” Lilith raised her eyebrow and gave Zelda a look. “Right, of course you understand that.”

“We are also working together, Zelda. It’s not like I won’t see you.”

“No, but I also prefer to keep things professional at work.”

“I think we already messed that up.”

“You know what I mean. No kissing or anything during rehearsals.”

“But you wouldn’t mind if they knew, after your family of course, if we were in it for the long term?”

Zelda pursed her lips, then smiled and shook her head. 

“No. Not if we’d agreed, beforehand.”

“I like that you’re outlining communication in a potential relationship like a key point in a contract.” 

Lilith was teasing, but Zelda still withdrew slightly, her hand sliding away from where they met. 

“I would rather you knew what you were getting into. Some people can’t handle not being able to shout their relationship from the rooftops; they want it all over social media and I’m just not that person.”

“I have a personal and a professional instagram and I barely know how to use them,” Lilith shrugged. “Not much for social media; I just like taking photos. Plus my agent told me that building a social media presence would keep me ‘current in the eyes of producers and that’s what you’ve got to do now you’re getting old’.”

“Well, obviously it worked. Your instagram is definitely the only reason that you have this role. Nothing to do with your incredible talent.”

Lilith nudged Zelda’s leg with her own gently under the table, and Zelda’s cheeks rounded as she smiled. Gods, Lilith loved her smile. 

“It’s kind of fun though. I mostly use it for dance clips, backstage pictures, that sort of thing. Just things that I like.”

“And are you popular?”

“A few thousand followers. Nothing major.”

“That will soon go up once they announce your debut as Velma.”

“And then more people can casually like my black and white pictures and dance content without having a clue who I really am. What a world we live in.”

Zelda smiled again, and then reached her hand back out to dance her fingers over the top of Lilith’s, following her vein lines and sending shivers up her arm. 

“I like you, Lilith. A lot.”

“The feeling is mutual.”

They sat in a pleasant silence for a moment, as Zelda continued to trace her fingers over Lilith’s hand, and then Lilith took a drink of water and smirked. 

“You didn’t tell me the third one.”

“The third what?”

“The third time you knew you wanted me.” She lowered her voice. “When you had to touch yourself before coming to see me tonight.”

Zelda smirked. 

“I think you know why that happened. As tired as I was, as aching and sore, as soon as I stepped in that shower and started thinking about coming here…” Zelda’s leg moved against Lilith’s; faint motions that made Lilith bite her lip. “I thought about the other night and this morning, and I remembered how I touched myself the morning after your celebration, thinking about you and how good it felt to come-”

“-Gods stop,” Lilith groaned out, catching Zelda’s trailing fingers in her hand and holding her. “Stop now before I drag you out of here.”

Zelda chuckled again, and her hand squeezed Lilith’s. 

“You asked.”

“I did. I should have asked something else.”

“Well, let me.” Zelda stroked her thumb over Lilith’s hand and considered the options. “Will you tell me what happened with you and Lucifer? You said that you grew up and he didn’t?”

Lilith chewed her lip and then nodded.

“That’s quite the change in conversation.”

“I’m sorry, we can talk about something else if you don’t want to get into that right now.”

“No, no. I said I’d tell you sometime.”

“That you did.”

Lilith took a sip of her water, cleared her throat and traced her thumb over Zelda’s hand as she considered how to start. 

“Earlier you asked if I was an only child. I wasn’t. I had a step-sister, Eve. She and I didn’t spend a lot of time together, but there was one thing we had in common. A boy named Adam. I had been dating him and then when Eve moved in with her mother, it wasn’t long before he started looking. He broke up with me for her and I was… well, I suppose that was my first heartbreak. Eve didn’t feel comfortable with me being around when he was, I suppose she thought he might go back to me. Eventually she started actively trying to get me in trouble. One night she succeeded in making my father and step mother so angry with me that they told me to get out and not come back until I’d learned how to behave. I didn’t go back.”

Zelda’s hand squeezed Lilith’s, who realised she had been staring at the table for the beginning of her story. She glanced up and saw Zelda’s eyes, soft and focused on her. 

“I had almost finished with school anyway, and I was fortunate enough to stay with my grandmother. She was a nice woman, and she’d missed seeing me. I hadn’t visited much since my mother… Anyway, I stayed with her while I finished school and then she helped me to fund my performance school training. I got a part time job for the basics; costumes, leotards etc. She got to see me get my first real job on stage before she passed away. Left me enough money to put down a deposit on the flat. I’ve been… very lucky, all things considered. But when she passed, I… well I started trying to fill my time. Drinking, partying… I never let it affect the work, but I didn’t want to be alone. I hated feeling alone. I was in 42nd Street when I met Lucifer. He took a shine to me, tried it on of course, but I was busy flirting with another woman in the company. Pretty soon we developed this kind of… friendship, I guess. We liked to compete; who could get a woman’s number quicker, who would leave with a woman first from the bar… it wasn’t really something we discussed but it was there. Stayed like that for a year or so, even though by then we were in different shows. Then I met Anya. She was in Phantom at the time and I was… smitten. I did my usual but she played hard to get, and so I started to think that I was falling for her. I didn’t normally put in this much effort. Anyway, one night she finally kissed me at a party in my flat, and I thought, this is it.”

Lilith took a breath, and Zelda, who had not strayed in her attention for the story, squeezed her hand. Lilith took a sip of water. 

“Are you okay?” Zelda murmured. 

“Yes, just thirsty.” Zelda’s lips twitched and Lilith smiled. “Not like that.”

“I know,” Zelda’s voice soothed, low and inviting. “Carry on.”

“Well, we started seeing each other. I became a one woman kind of woman, completely smitten and then after a couple of months, she told me that she had slept with someone else and didn’t want to be together anymore. I was devastated. Lucifer came over, brought some drinks, we got drunk and then… I slept with him. It wasn’t even comfort sex it was… make something else hurt, rough sex… sorry too much.” 

Lilith paused, noticing the shift in Zelda’s expression.

“No, go on.”

“So anyway, I found out later that Lucifer was the person Anya had slept with. She came crawling to me asking me to talk to him because we were friends. Turns out that’s the only reason she’d been flirting with me. She’d wanted to get with him and she knew we were close. I was so angry; I found Lucifer in a bar and I asked him how he could do that to me. How he could have seen me so upset and still… He told me that I knew who he was, and it shouldn’t really be a surprise. That she’d been flirting with him and it wasn’t in his nature to not follow through. And then he said that I should be grateful because she hadn’t been a good fuck anyway. That he saved me from boring monogamy and that he’d probably given me the best fuck of my life. That he’d made me feel something for once and that he’d fuck me anytime I wanted; all I had to do was give him a call and bend over like the slut I was.”

Zelda’s hand tightened on Lilith’s, and Lilith blinked tears away from her eyes, seeing the other woman’s free hand in a fist. She slid her hand over to unwrap the balled hand, smoothing her thumb over half moon nail indents in Zelda’s palm. 

“Don’t be angry. He’s not worth it, remember? Besides, I got bored of the party and sex scene after that. I still had sex, don’t get me wrong, but I always set the rules about one night before anything happened and I never promised anything I couldn’t give. So… that’s my tragic story. Get out the tiny violin.”

“Your friend betrayed you and the person you had feelings for used you; I don’t believe that’s something to trifle over.” Zelda said. “And I am angry. When I see that pig, I’ll-”

“You won’t do anything,” Lilith squeezed her hand again. “I thought you were the one that wanted me to restrain myself around him. Not ruin my mood by going after him.”

“Yes, well… I didn’t know the full story. Had I known I’d have helped.”

“You’re adorable when you’re angry.” Zelda gave her a look. “Protective too.”

“I am protective.” Zelda stated. “Of people I care about.”

Lilith’s eyebrow raised and she opened her mouth to comment, but then closed it, and shrugged, letting it go for now. Zelda wasn’t sure if she was glad, or not. 

“Other people have better sob stories. And besides, I wasn’t in love with her. Not really. And he was never really my friend.”

“Clearly,” Zelda said. “But that doesn’t mean it didn’t hurt you.”

“No,” Lilith murmured. “You’re right. It hurt me. It hurt me so much I…”

She stopped, and Zelda squeezed her hand as she swallowed thickly. 

“And now?”

“Now?” Lilith asked, looking up. 

“What do you want from this?”

Lilith smiled. 

“I like you, Zelda. I’m not interested in one night with you. If I was, I’d have told you that when we first kissed.”

“But what do you want?”

“To know you. To get to know you. To kiss you. To flirt and date and… whatever else you’re comfortable with. If you wanted to take this slow, I would do that. If you said you just wanted friendship, I would be your friend. I’m not asking for anything you can’t give.”

“And what if I wanted to give you all of that?”

“Then I would happily take it, and give you the same.”

“And if I needed to take it slow?”

“Like I said; I can take it slow, if that’s what you want.”

“And if I wanted to say yes, later, when you ask if I want to come back to yours?”

Lilith smiled. 

“Then I’d be thankful that I wore some nice underwear and I’d be a gentlewoman until you begged me not to be.”

Zelda’s cheeks blushed. 

“Well then. That’s settled.”

“Yes,” Lilith hummed, running her thumb over Zelda’s hand. “It is.”

“Although I don’t beg.”

“We’ll see.” Lilith smiled, and the tension eased. Zelda chuckled. 

“I’m going to need my hands back.” 

“Why?”

“Because I can see our pizzas coming this way.”

Lilith glanced over and grinned, releasing Zelda’s hand. 

“Fine. But only because I’m starving.”

“So you said.” Zelda’s little wink soothed Lilith’s chest, still aching from telling her story, and she smiled softly as the pizza was set down in front of them. They began to eat, small talk peppering the air between them; discussing the show, Zelda's morning at the park with Sabrina and Hilda the day before... anything and everything that wasn't the heat bubbling between them. 

Lilith was transfixed by how delicately Zelda ate her pizza. Tiny bites, carefully taken and chewed with a great deal of satisfaction. In fact, Lilith almost forgot to eat her own pizza; so distracted by the display. 

“You’re staring,” Zelda smirked. 

“I can’t help it. You’re… distracting.”

“Am I?” 

“Yes.”

“Well…” Zelda took another bite and as she chewed, she closed her eyes and sighed. Lilith took a breath, and Zelda opened her eyes, a little smirk on her lips. “Can’t have that now, can we?”

“Are you trying to kill me? Because I’ve been fairly well behaved but if you’re going to fight dirty, I will.”

“Perhaps that’s what I’m hoping for,” Zelda leaned back, surveying the woman in front of her. “Maybe I want to unleash the beast.”

“I think you’ve already had a taste of what happens when I lose control,” Lilith purred, reclining, her eyes leaving a scorching trail over Zelda’s skin as she studied her. 

“I’d like more than a taste.”

Lilith’s tongue flicked out. 

“Are you attempting to seduce me, Zelda Spellman?”

“Is it working?” Zelda sat back, grasping her glass and raising it for a sip. 

“Yes. It’s just a change. Usually I’m the one doing the seduction.”

“Well, there’s a first time for everything.”

“Are you finished with your pizza?”

“I could manage another slice.”

“Then, by all means, do.” Lilith’s voice had dropped an octave, and Zelda shivered. 

“Maybe we should just get it to go.”

“Alright. If you’re sure.”

Zelda thought, and then inclined her head slightly. 

“I’m sure.”

“I’ll get the cheque.” Lilith’s eyes fixed on Zelda. “You’ll tell me, at any point, if you want to stop this, yes?”

“Yes. But I don’t…Want to stop.”

“Neither do I.”

“I’m going to go to the restroom, if that’s alright?”

Lilith chuckled. 

“You don’t have to ask to go to the bathroom.”

“I wasn’t,” Zelda rolled her eyes. “I was checking you were alright here.”

“Go. I told you, dinner was on me.” 

“Alright then.” Zelda stood, and as she passed Lilith, she placed her hand briefly on her shoulder before disappearing. 

As she washed her hands, Zelda studied herself in the bathroom mirror. Her cheeks had a slight pink tint to them, and her eyes seemed brighter than they’d been in weeks. Lilith had done that to her. Lilith who was all soft and gentle one moment and fire and passion the next. Lilith who had just revealed parts of her pain and then brushed it off like it was nothing. Zelda couldn’t tell if she was strong, or just didn’t want to revisit the pain. Maybe she hadn’t dealt with it… 

Leaning against the sink, Zelda questioned herself. 

“Are you really going to do this?”

Yes. Yes. For once, instead of talking herself out of something she wanted, desperately, by going over everything with a fine tooth comb, Zelda was going to get what she wanted. 

Her phone was to her ear in a moment. 

“Hilda?”

“Zelda, dear, I expected dinner to take longer. Are you on your way back?”

“No, I’m not. Hilda… how would you feel if I didn’t come home tonight?”

There was a silence and then a squeal that made her wince. 

“I knew it! So your date went well?”

“I didn’t say it was a date.”

“But it was, wasn’t it? You’re on a date with Lilith and now you’re calling to ask if you can stay the night?”
“I’m not asking permission,” Zelda huffed. “I’m just… Sabrina is difficult in the mornings and she will be expecting me. Should I come back?”

“Zelda,” Hilda sighed. “No. You shouldn’t. I can deal with Sabrina, I’m perfectly capable. And we can come for lunch tomorrow; that ought to solve any issues. How about that?”

“That sounds perfect. If you’re sure, I can always-”

“Zelds, go and have fun. You deserve it.”

Zelda bit her lip, smiling, her throat tightening. 

“Thank you Hildie. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

She hung up and glanced at herself in the mirror, sniffed away impending emotions and straightened up. 

“Okay then. Don’t mess this up Spellman.”

She walked out of the restroom and headed back to the booth, finding Lilith leaning casually against it, her jacket on. She smiled as Zelda got closer. 

“Ready to go?”

“Yes,” Zelda smiled, grabbing her own coat and slipping her arms into it. Lilith picked up two pizza boxes from the table and then gestured to the door. 

“Lead the way.”

“Are you going to behave yourself in my car?” Zelda asked as they reached the door, twisting to view Lilith behind her. Lilith’s lips twitched. 

“No promises.”

Chapter 13: Anticipation

Summary:

We all know what this chapter contains.

Notes:

Enjoy ;) Oh and happy almost anniversary, A <3

Chapter Text

Lilith couldn’t keep her eyes off of Zelda. Snowflakes clung to her hair, and her nose and cheeks were pink from their brief time in the cold as they hurried carefully through the sludge and snow to Zelda’s car. Even her eyes seemed brighter. 

She was truly stunning. 

Zelda turned the dial for the heater up, and chewed her lip as her windscreen wipers got rid of the snow that had collected on her windscreen. She could feel Lilith’s eyes on her and with a little smirk, she turned to capture her gaze. 

“You’re staring, Lilith.”

“Well, I can’t exactly be blamed for that, now can I?” Lilith purred, smirking back. She leaned back against the door, her body twisted, one leg resting at an angle on the chair as she surveyed the other woman. Zelda’s heart fluttered, and she raised her eyebrow amused. 

“Oh? And why is that?”

“Because you’re beautiful.” Lilith replied, simply. 

Zelda rolled her eyes. 

“Are you going to flirt like that the entire journey?”

“No.” Lilith grinned. “I intend to tease you instead.”

“So this is the calm before the storm?”

“If you want to call it that.”

“What would you call it?”

Lilith chuckled and then leaned forward, shifting her weight. Zelda licked her lips as Lilith hovered close, slightly taller than her. Fingers slid into her hair and Lilith tilted her head up. Zelda felt her breath tickling her lips, and then Lilith’s nose brushed against hers. Her heart thundered in her chest and she suddenly felt as though it could be hammering hard enough for Lilith to hear. Lilith’s lips almost brushed hers and Zelda leaned in, chasing her. 

“Anticipation,” Lilith whispered, slowly. “That is what I would call it.”

Lilith drew back an inch, smirking down at Zelda, who discovered that she was gripping Lilith’s jacket so hard that the zip was digging into her palm. 

“Lilith…” Zelda husked, tugging at the jacket. 

“Mmm?” Lilith nuzzled her nose against Zelda’s, prolonging the aching longing between them at being so close. The falling snow cast moving shadows over their faces under the street lamp, and everything seemed quiet outside. 

“Kiss me.”

“So demanding,” Lilith chuckled. Her lips brushed faintly against Zelda’s; not a kiss, but enough to make Zelda’s eyelashes flutter, ready to be kissed. Lilith’s thumb smoothed over the curve of Zelda’s ear. 

Zelda decided that if she was going to be demanding, she might as well use that to her advantage. She reached up and slid her fingers into Lilith’s wild hair at the nape of her neck and when Lilith smirked, Zelda tugged her closer and pressed their lips together. 

Oh. Her memory had done the other woman no justice. They melted into each other as the first kiss turned into another, and another; soft lips and curious, then more demanding, tongues. Zelda shifted in her seat, twisting to meet Lilith more in the middle, her greedy, gasping moan as they seperated for a millisecond of air sending heat through Lilith’s cheeks. She closed the gap again, and her spare hand gripped the seat so that she didn’t go toppling onto Zelda. 

“Fuck,” she husked as they separated again. “Take me home, please.”

“Please?” Zelda smiled, amused by the desperate tone of Lilith’s voice. “What happened to anticipation?”

“Zelda, take me home now or I will have to drag you onto my lap and have you right here.”

Zelda’s teasing smirk disappeared as she inhaled; desire flooding her whole body until she felt it rising in her throat. She swallowed and nodded, leaning in to press another kiss to Lilith’s lips. 

“As tempting as that is right now…” She pressed her fingers to Lilith’s chest and pushed her slowly back into her seat. “I think I’ll take the option that involves less clothes.”

Lilith smirked at her from the other seat, biting her lip. 

“Want me naked, do you Spellman?”

“Yes,” Zelda replied, buckling her seatbelt and glancing in the mirror to check the street, only to catch her flushed face staring back at her, eyes dark. Goodness. She looked back at Lilith, and gave her a wicked smirk that took the other woman’s breath away. “Naked, wet and moaning my name while I’m inside you.”

“Fuck,” Lilith muttered, grabbing her seatbelt and fastening it. “Drive woman.”

Zelda chuckled, and a seconds later they were on the road and both women were trying to focus; Zelda on the road and Lilith on getting her heart rate back under control.

“Do you need to let Hilda know that you’ll be late? Or that you… might not go back tonight?” She tried to act casual, but she knew that her tone was anything but subtle. The idea of letting Zelda leave her bed at whatever early hour they came up for air tonight didn’t sit right with her, and an even deeper part of her longed to wake up to Zelda; to see her hair messy and her eyes blurry from sleep. To make her tea for her to drink in bed and watch her slowly wake up. The strength of the desire tugged at her and she almost missed Zelda’s quiet answer; distracted by her thoughts. 

“I called Hilda in the bathroom.” Zelda pulled up at the traffic lights and glanced at Lilith. “I don’t need to return home tonight, if you don’t want me to.”

Lilith didn’t hesitate in leaning across and kissing the woman, who chuckled into the kiss, until horns behind their car broke them from the kiss and Zelda saw the light had turned green. She flushed and drove on, while Lilith grinned in the seat next to her. When Zelda next glanced over, she rolled her eyes and muttered under her breath: 

“You’re a bad influence.”

“If you weren’t such an adorable temptress, I’m sure I could be less of an influence.”

Zelda scoffed. 

“I don’t think I’ve ever been accused of being adorable before, and now you’ve said it a couple of times.”

“Impossible. You’re telling me no one has called you adorable?”

“It’s true.”

“Has the whole world gone blind?”

“The whole world doesn’t get to see me as you do.” Zelda said, and then blushed, unsure why she had just admitted that to Lilith. She cleared her throat. “I mean, I’m a very private person.”

“And I somehow managed to figure you out even though we’ve only been speaking properly for a couple of weeks?”

“I…” Zelda’s brow furrowed. “I suppose that’s accurate.”

“But?”

“But I think it was more than that. You didn’t fawn over me, nor did you see me as a threat, or someone that you should befriend to get ahead. None of those things that I am so used to were true for you. It was… refreshing.”

“It probably helped that you accused me of coming up with those names. That wiped any hero worship I might’ve held onto.”

“Yes.” Zelda chewed her lip. “I’m sorry about that.”

“It was a reasonable assumption,” Lilith shrugged. “I can’t imagine it’s an easy life, to be so famous.”

“Famous,” Zelda laughed. “Yes, fame is a cruel mistress. But the public tend to leave me alone; that’s what happens when you don’t have much of a presence online these days. My agent hates it.”

“Then what? Who are you hiding from?”

Zelda debated her answer as she turned onto Lilith’s street, her eyes peeled for a parking spot. 

“When I moved to America after my brother and his wife died, it was to have a new start. Somewhere without memories for myself, Hilda and Sabrina. I waited, weighing up options, before I returned to the stage. Sabrina needed to settle in and she cried every day… I needed to be there for her. When I did eventually return, I felt like a fish out of water. A new place, new people; back home there would always be someone I knew in the room, and here I was alone. Worse than that, the previous lead had been fired… I later found out that she and the director had been having an affair that had ended badly and he’d let her go claiming she wasn’t up for the role.” Zelda pulled into a space and parked up before continuing. “She had a lot of friends in the cast and they all saw me as a stranger taking their friend’s role and worse, rumours began that I had slept with the director for the part. I eventually found that it was easier to just focus on myself, my role and my family than try to make friends. It protected me from being hurt, but it became a habit that I carried to other shows. I suppose that some of my icier nicknames might be deserved in that sense.”

“No,” Lilith slid her hand over Zelda’s forearm, where the woman still held the wheel; her story having been finished staring blindly ahead. “You were alone and they made you feel completely isolated over something that wasn’t your fault.”

Zelda smiled and shook her head. 

“And you say that I’m adorable.”

Lilith rolled her eyes and chuckled. 

“I was trying to be nice.”

Zelda bit her lip and leaned over, tugging Lilith in. 

“I thought we were here to be naughty?”

Lilith licked her lips. 

“If that’s what you want.”

Zelda frowned slightly. 

“Do you not want to be?”

“Oh I do,” Lilith smiled, closing the gap and brushing her lips over Zelda’s lips. “But I promised I’d be a gentlewoman until you begged me not to be.”

“And I told you I don’t beg,” Zelda husked. 

“We’ll see,” Lilith kissed her, stealing the reply from her. “Come on, let’s get inside before we start something again. I’m not sure I have much self control left.”

“Perfect.”

Zelda climbed out of the car and when Lilith closed the other door she locked it, threw her keys in her purse and after a quick glance around, took Lilith’s offered hand. Lilith led them up the stairs to her building, then to the lift. Lilith pressed the button and they watched as the numbers slowly ticked down, taking way too long. They stood, fidgeting, Lilith’s thumb smoothing over Zelda’s hand. 

“We could take the stairs?” Zelda suggested. 

“Impatient?” Lilith smirked. 

“Lilith…” Zelda leaned close to her ear, and then her teeth were tugging at Lilith’s earlobe. Lilith’s entire body melted into a pool of arousal as Zelda’s tongue flicked against her skin. “I need you.”

“Jesus fuck,” Lilith muttered under her breath, her eyes closed. Zelda’s front pressed against her side, her arm sliding across her stomach and under her jacket as she kissed Lilith’s jaw. Lilith turned her head, so that she could nuzzle into Zelda’s hair. “Are you wet for me?”

“Touch me and find out.”

The lift arrived with a ding, and Zelda drew back from her, with her eyes lidded, meeting Lilith’s matching expression. 

The lift was empty and they slid inside, pressing the button for Lilith’s floor before closing the gate. Both of them stared ahead at the door, heavy breaths in sync, fingers itching to reach out and touch. 

Zelda swallowed and closed her eyes, steadying herself. It had been years since she’d done anything like this and a tremor of nerves fluttered in her belly. What if Lilith didn’t like her body? What if she did something stupid? What if-

“Zelda?” Lilith’s voice tugged her from anxious thoughts and she glanced at the other woman. 

“Yes?”

“Just remember what I said at dinner. We can go at whatever speed you want with this, and if you’re having second thoughts-”

“I’m not.”

Lilith smiled and reached out, smoothing her fingers over Zelda’s hand which had, as usual, gone to her stomach to cover her nerves. 

“I know you enough to know you’re nervous. I am too.”

“You don’t look nervous.”

“Well,” Lilith shrugged. “I’m good at hiding it. But that doesn’t mean that my stomach isn’t twisting right now over all the ways you could decide I’m not worth it.”

The lift stopped with a ding and they both looked forward as the doors began to open. Carefully, Lilith took Zelda’s hand and drew her out of the lift and into the corridor, pressing herself back against the wall and tugging Zelda against her. She leaned in and kissed her, and Zelda melted into her with a soft sigh. When they broke apart, Zelda shook her head. 

“I don’t want to stop. And I definitely think you’re worth it.”

“Well good,” Lilith grinned. “Then that’s settled.”

Yes.” Zelda leaned in and kissed her again, hard, and Lilith moaned into her, her hands sliding over her ass and tugging her against her. 

“Inside. Now.”

Lilith hooked her keys out of her pocket and Zelda followed her down the corridor, hands linked, to Lilith’s door. Lilith pressed her against the door and kissed her again before sliding the key into the lock. Zelda nibbled at her ear, her arms around Lilith’s neck, and Lilith struggled to turn the key. 

The door opened and Lilith held Zelda steady, kissing her hard as she walked them into her home. She kicked the door shut, and then Zelda was pushing her at her jacket, trying to take it off. 

“You really are impatient,” Lilith chuckled as she ducked her head to focus her lips and teeth on Zelda’s jaw. 

“I told you,” Zelda moaned, pressing her hips forward. “I’m starving.”

“We left the pizza in the car.” 

Lilith smirked as she helped Zelda out of her coat, leaving it on the floor as she removed her own and dropped it. Zelda laughed, tugging her jumper off and over her head. She pressed herself immediately back to Lilith, wrapping her arms over her shoulders. Lilith’s hands steadied her hips, fingers slipping under her shirt to press against soft skin. 

“Do you have any idea what I want to do to you?” Lilith’s voice hummed in Zelda’s ear as she nuzzled her nose into the woman, breathing her in. 

“Stop just talking about it then,” Zelda groaned. Lilith chuckled and kissed her again. “Lilith…”

“Lilith is taking her time,” she replied with a grin, even as her hands slid higher under Zelda’s shirt. Her thumbs skated over the swell of her tummy and she glanced down, longing to see her. 

Zelda’s arms slid away from Lilith’s shoulders, and she reached down, unbuttoning her jeans. Lilith swallowed as the redhead took her hand and slowly brought it to her stomach, where the faintest line of underwear could be seen in the little gap. 

“You wanted to know if I was wet for you,” Zelda husked, drawing Lilith’s eyes back to her. She leaned in, so their noses brushed. “So find out.”

Swallowing, Lilith’s fingers toyed with the edge of lace, her breaths falling heavy on Zelda’s lips. She leaned close, pressing a kiss to her lips, and then slid her hand inside the jeans and cupped her through her underwear. They inhaled at the same time, iris’ widening, as Lilith felt the warm, wet heat of Zelda clinging to lace. 

“God you’re drenched,” she moaned, kissing her hard, rubbing at the lace and feeling the dampness clinging to her fingers. Zelda let out a groan and pressed against her, wrapping her arms around her neck again as Lilith’s fingers teased her. 
“This is what you do to me,” Zelda husked. 

“I want you.”

“So take me.” Lilith’s teeth nipped at her lip and tugged, her tongue following to soothe her. “Please.”

Lilith smirked, but restrained herself from saying anything about the whine in Zelda’s voice as she uttered the last plea. Instead, she slowly removed her hand and despite Zelda’s protests, pulled back a little.

Her fingers began to make short work of the buttons of Zelda’s shirt, and when it fell open, revealing her sapphire lace bra, she dove down to kiss her breasts as they swelled with each breath. Zelda’s head rolled back and she tangled her fingers in Lilith’s hair. She took a step back to steady herself, and Lilith followed her, straightening to kiss her frantically again. 

“Bedroom.”

She tugged at Zelda’s hand, pulling her across the room, and Zelda chuckled as she followed. 

“Now who is eager?”

Lilith pressed her against the wall as soon as they entered her bedroom, and pinned her hands either side of her head, smirking into the kiss she initiated. Zelda moaned as Lilith’s hot mouth made its way over her jaw, down her neck, lathering her collarbone in kisses and nibbling at her until her hips were bucking against Lilith at every touch. Lilith’s thigh pushed between her legs and Zelda groaned, thankful for something to gain friction against. She ground against her and gasped as Lilith’s tongue licked into the dip between her breasts, eagerly. 

Lilith could taste the tang of Zelda’s sweat, and as she nipped her way over the swell of one of Zelda’s breasts, she released her arms and slid her hands around her arching back to grip her ass and tug her firmly against her thigh. Zelda gasped and returned her fingers to Lilith’s hair, tugging at her and bringing her back to her lips. 

“More, Lilith…”

Lilith kissed her harder, her fingers flexing as she tugged her ass against her again, and Zelda moaned into her mouth. 

Pulling back, Lilith sank to her knees, Zelda’s fingers still gently in her hair, and she looked up at the woman through lidded eyes before leaning in and pressing a kiss to her stomach. 

“Beautiful.”

Zelda’s fingers tightened in her hair and when Lilith glanced up, Zelda’s eyes were softer, her lips parted as she breathed hard. 

Lilith’s hands dipped to Zelda’s boots, sliding the zip down on one, and then the other. Zelda’s hand moved to her shoulder as she stepped out of them with Lilith’s help, and then Lilith’s hands were on the waistband of her jeans, pulling. 

They peeled away, figure hugging as they were, and soft, creamy thighs came into view, meeting sapphire lace in the middle, where a dark patch made Lilith’s mouth water. She helped Zelda out of her jeans and socks, and traced her hands up thighs, marvelling at the duality of strength and softness in them. 

Unable to resist, she leaned in and pressed a kiss to her right thigh, then her left, moving up to kiss her stomach and then trail a path to her hip bone. Zelda’s eyes were intense as she watched Lilith’s journey across her skin, and when she looked up, Zelda could see something that was almost awe in her eyes. She blushed. 

“So beautiful.”

Lilith’s teeth grazed Zelda’s hip bone, and her fingers smoothed over soft skin as she lifted one of Zelda’s thighs over her shoulder. Zelda inhaled sharply as Lilith’s head turned, and she felt hot breath against her centre. 

Lilith pressed a kiss to the dark patch of wet lace and licked her lips. The faint taste of Zelda made her ache, made her want more. She turned her head instead and nipped at the soft inner thigh next to her head, and Zelda’s hips tilted forward. 

“You like a little biting, don’t you?” Lilith teased, nuzzling into her thigh and nipping her again. 

Zelda moaned, tugging at Lilith’s hair. 

“Please, Lilith, I can’t… I need…”

“What do you need?” Lilith nuzzled into the lace, breathing her in, pressing her lips against the patch again and then her tongue. Zelda’s voice shook as she replied. 

“Lilith, please stop teasing. I need you, now.”

Lilith looked up and saw Zelda’s eyes closed, an almost pained need on her face. She felt a tug at her heart and stood up, taking Zelda’s face in her hands as the woman opened her eyes. 

“I’ve got you,” she murmured, pressing a kiss to her lips. “No more waiting.”

She reached down and wrapped her arms just under Zelda’s ass, tugging her up. Zelda yelped, wrapping her arms around Lilith’s shoulders and her legs around her waist as Lilith carried her to the bed. She lay her down, Zelda’s curls fanning across the sheets as she bit her lip, cheeks pink, gazing up at Lilith. 

Lilith unbuttoned her own jeans and slid them down her legs, kicking off her boots. She unbuttoned her shirt, and had just managed the last one when Zelda, impatient, sat up and tugged her down by it. 

Her thigh slid between Zelda’s legs as their skin finally made contact. Lilith moaned into Zelda’s mouth as she felt the push of her stomach against hers, as Zelda rolled against her thigh, pressing wet lace against her. 

Lilith slid down, mapping her curves with her tongue, and hooked her fingers in her lace underwear, tugging it down. A neat patch of red curls appeared, sodden, and Lilith swallowed as she slid onto her knees and removed the underwear, leaving Zelda naked aside from her bra. 

Zelda leaned up on her elbows, watching as Lilith leaned down and kissed her thighs, moving closer to where she could smell, practically taste, how much Zelda needed her. 

The first exploratory press of her tongue to Zelda had the other woman gasping, and her fingers tangling into Lilith’s hair again as Lilith moaned. God, she was sweet and salty and… Lilith’s tongue slid through her folds, pressing flat until she felt the hard nub of her clit. She sucked at it and Zelda’s hips jerked into her face as she let out a cry. 

“Oh god, please.”

Smiling, Lilith sucked harder before lapping at her again, returning every few flicks of her tongue to suck at her clit. The sounds that came from Zelda were sin, there was no other word to describe them. Lilith had always liked women who were vocal, found it uncontrollably delicious to hear what she was doing to them, but she doubted she’d ever been so turned on by sound before. 

And more than that, Zelda was drenched. She was rolling into Lilith’s mouth and hot arousal was spilling onto her tongue and Lilith thought she would happily spend hours lapping at her if she could. But Zelda’s moans were shaking, her thighs were trembling, and Lilith knew that she was close. Her fingernails scratched against Lilith’s scalp, and when Lilith looked up, half way through sucking at Zelda’s clit again, she watched the woman arch suddenly, a cry tugged from her throat as she came. 

In likelihood, her orgasm was probably brief, but for Lilith, watching her perfect, creamy body arc as pleasure rolled through her, it seemed to hang in a moment, untouched by seconds, frozen. She would remember that moment for the rest of her life, no matter what happened. Zelda Spellman coming apart for her, under her tongue. 

Lilith lapped against her as she came, collecting up everything, hungry for more. Zelda collapsed ahead of her, trembling, her fingers releasing Lilith’s hair as her hand flew to her mouth as she muttered a string of curses. 

Lilith eased up, pressing kisses to her instead, covering her thighs until they stopped trembling. Then Lilith crawled up, finding Zelda covering her face with her hands. She slowly straddled her stomach, stroking her fingers over her. 

“Are you alright?”

“Yes.” Zelda’s reply came out as a rasp, and then she removed her hands from her face. A few tears clung to her lashes and Lilith frowned, concerned and opened her mouth, but Zelda beat her to it. “I’m okay, I promise. I just… it’s been so long and I… Oh god that was good.”

Lilith chuckled, relaxing a little, capturing Zelda’s hands and placing them on her own thighs, rubbing her thumbs over them. 

“That’s okay, take a moment.”

“I don’t think I need to,” Zelda bit her lip, surveying Lilith on top of her, still in black underwear and her shirt. Her hands tightened on Lilith’s thighs. “You’re exquisite.”

Lilith blushed and leaned down to capture Zelda’s lips with her own. Zelda caught hold of her shirt, holding her there, letting the kiss go on. 

“I want to touch you,” Zelda murmured as they parted. “I can feel how wet you are.”

Lilith smirked and rocked against Zelda’s stomach. She looked good on top, she knew it, and the way Zelda’s eyes darkened watching her like that, she knew that Zelda thought it too. 

“How do you want to touch me?”

“How to choose?” Zelda let her fingers slide over Lilith’s stomach softly as she considered. “How do you want to be touched, Lilith?”

Lilith bit her lip and traced her fingers over the edge of Zelda’s bra. She couldn’t say the first thing that came to mind, biting her tongue and delaying by leaning down and kissing Zelda again. 

Like I mean something more than just a fuck to you.

It’s what she wanted, and she knew that Zelda didn’t just view her as a fuck, but saying that somehow would make it more complicated, more weighted than it should be this early. So she kissed Zelda until she could think of another answer. 

“I want your mouth on me and your fingers inside me. I want to feel you everywhere.”

It was as close as she could get right now, and the way Zelda’s lips curled into a smile and she tugged her in for another kiss made her feel like Zelda understood what she was really asking. What she really wanted. 

Zelda sat up, pushing Lilith’s shirt from her shoulders and throwing it to the side. She wrapped her arms around her, trailing her fingers over her back to her bra and unclasped it as she buried her face between her breasts, pressing kisses to them. As her bra came away, and was tossed to the side, Lilith watched Zelda’s eyes light up at the sight of her nipples, straining towards her. 

That was until Zelda leaned in and enveloped one with her hot, naughty little mouth, and Lilith’s hips jerked forward as her back arched. Oh. 

Her nipples had always been sensitive, but Lilith soon found herself tugging Zelda’s hair, bringing her away from her nipples, afraid that she might come from that alone. Zelda looked pleased with herself, and Lilith kissed her hard, hoping to wipe some of the smugness away. She hadn’t expected Zelda to be quite so intense. 

It was intoxicating. 

They rolled over, and Zelda peppered kisses over Lilith’s body as she made her way down, hooking up Lilith’s legs to tug her underwear down. She threw it to the side and placed her hands on Lilith’s knees, gently parting her legs and spreading her. 

A little moan escaped Zelda’s lips and Lilith felt heat rush through her, felt more arousal pooling, as Zelda surveyed her like she wanted to devour her. Her hands moved down Lilith’s thighs and she leaned down, hovering over her, looking up at Lilith’s waiting gaze. 

“Should I make you beg? It only seems fair.”

Lilith groaned, reaching down and grasping one of Zelda’s hands to pull her back to her. They kissed, and Zelda’s thigh pressed against Lilith, and she rocked into it, wanting. Lilith’s fingers tangled in Zelda’s hair, messing it, and she stared up at her through her eyelashes. 

“Don’t make me beg. Just touch me. Touch me, Zelda.”

Her whisper made Zelda’s chest ache, and she dispensed with the teasing, sliding her fingers down over Lilith’s stomach and between her legs. Lilith’s eyes widened and she gasped as Zelda’s fingers circled her clit, alternating between rubbing around and over the bundle of nerves, watching Lilith’s responses to each. Lilith rocked against her, biting her lip, staring up at the woman as she touched her. Her lips parted and she reached up for a kiss, and Zelda happily did, running her tongue over Lilith’s cupid’s bow, biting her bottom lip. 

Zelda wanted desperately to sink between Lilith’s thighs and taste her. She could feel her hot arousal on her fingers, could hear the sounds of her as she slid her fingers down to Lilith’s entrance. She wanted to slide inside her, make her come around her, hear her call her name out. Lilith nodded as Zelda’s fingers hovered, a hint of desperation in her face as she rocked against the fingers that stayed just out of reach. 

Zelda slid inside Lilith, watching as the woman’s head tilted back and her lips parted further in a silent moan. She slid slowly in and out of her a couple of times, and gradually built her momentum, as Lilith’s hips met each thrust and her fingers buried further into Zelda’s hair. Their kisses became sloppy, messy, and soon Zelda’s lips began to explore Lilith’s sharp cheeks and jaw, mapping down her neck, until she couldn’t move further without disturbing the rhythm she had built. 

She slid her fingers from Lilith, leaving her gasping, and then wiggled herself down until she could lay on her belly between her legs. She looked up at Lilith and gave her a wicked smirk. 

“Fuck,” Lilith muttered, and then Zelda leaned in and slid her tongue up Lilith’s slit, before sliding her fingers back inside her and sucking on her clit. Lilith’s hips bucked. “Oh fuck.”

Zelda lapped and sucked happily at Lilith’s clit, flexing her fingers. She enjoyed the taste of her, the way that her walls fluttered whenever Zelda curled her fingers in a particular kind of way, the way her hips rocked hardest when Zelda used her teeth to suck at her clit. 

She was disappointed that Lilith wasn’t louder, wondering if she wasn’t doing something right, but when she glanced up and found Lilith’s teeth buried in her lip, her hands gripping the sheets, she realised the woman was holding back. She stilled and Lilith’s head snapped forward, looking at her. 

“Don’t hold back, or I won’t let you come,” Zelda purred, kissing her thigh and nuzzling the wetness that had stuck there. Lilith uttered a growl and Zelda tutted, pressing a kiss to her clit. “Come on, Lilith, let go.”

Lilith’s tension remained for a few seconds, before she sagged and relaxed, releasing the sheets and nodding. Zelda sucked at her clit experimentally, using her teeth, and a guttural groan escaped the other woman. Smirking, happy, Zelda buried her fingers back into Lilith and sucked, only to be greeted by a chorus of expletives and moans with every thrust. Lilith was… fuck. Zelda could feel herself leaving slick trails on the sheet beneath her as she fucked Lilith. She knew that Lilith had appreciated her noises, and it would be impossible not to do the same; Lilith was deliciously excited and as more arousal spilled around Zelda’s fingers, she let her tongue dip down to lick up some of the extra wetness. 

She added another finger after a few moments, and Lilith’s walls tightened so hard around her that she thought she might come, but in reality, the cry from above her was nothing compared to the one a few thrusts later, when Lilith came all over Zelda’s fingers, and cried out of her name in the process…

“Oh FUCK, Zelda!” 

Lilith’s stomach muscles were a sight to behold, but Zelda was far too focused on the delicious pinkness of her as she lapped her up, still sliding her fingers in and out of her clenching cunt. She gave one last suck of Lilith’s clit, releasing it with a pop, and Lilith shuddered, her thighs clenching around Zelda’s head, shaking. 

“God stop, fuck…”

Smirking, Zelda pulled her fingers slowly from Lilith, and sat up on her knees, licking them clean. 

Lilith peered across at her through lidded eyes, seeing the self satisfied grin and moaning. 

“You look far too pleased with yourself.”

“Can you blame me?” Zelda shifted, slowly lying next to Lilith and stretching. “I haven’t done that in a while, and you were delicious.”

Lilith’s already flushed cheeks darkened, and she groaned, burying her face into the sheets for a moment. 

“Wait until I don’t feel like jelly, and I’ll give you a proper orgasm.”

“Was my first not a proper one?” Zelda raised her eyebrow. “It felt pretty real.”

“Wait until I’m inside you,” Lilith purred, closing the gap between them to slide her hand over Zelda’s naked hip and down her thigh, hooking her leg over hers. “I have always been told my fingers are my real gift.”

“Your tongue is pretty gifted,” Zelda smirked, reaching down to collect Lilith’s hand in hers and lifting it to her face. She opened her mouth and sucked at Lilith’s index finger, rolling her tongue around it. She added another finger, and Lilith watched her sucking at them, giving her a taste of what it would feel like to be inside her. 

“You’re dangerous, Spellman.”

“Oh?” Zelda released her fingers with a wet pop and looked coy. “How?”

“I could lose my head over you,” Lilith replied, and she wasn’t sure if her honesty was from her post orgasm euphoria, but when Zelda smirked and released her hand to drag her in for a kiss, she couldn’t be dismayed about her momentary lapse in restraint. 

“Mmm, well, I’ve been accused of worse.”

Lilith chuckled and pulled Zelda on top of her, sitting up and sliding her hands up her back to remove the last barrier to their full and shared nakedness. Zelda’s bra went flying off somewhere in Lilith’s bedroom, and Lilith didn’t bother to follow its path because she was busy admiring Zelda’s pebbled nipples, brushing her thumb over them as she cupped her breasts. 

She leaned in and took one in her mouth, tugging at it, lathering it with her tongue. 

The way Zelda gasped her name, slowly, wistfully, like it was a prayer, made Lilith’s core curl deliciously. She nipped at Zelda’s nipples and tugged another gasp from her, moving her fingers up from her hips, over her back, holding her close. Zelda’s fingers buried themselves in her hair against, nails scratching against her scalp, and Lilith moaned into the soft flesh in her mouth. 

“You’re incredible.” Pink raced over Zelda’s chest as she flushed, and  she tugged Lilith’s mouth away from her, shaking her head. Looking down into blue eyes, darker than usual, Zelda bit her lip. 

“I already like you; you don’t have to keep complimenting me.”

“I know I don’t have to,” Lilith chuckled. “It’s hardly a chore to speak my mind; I usually do it anyway. But if I’m being too talkative I can-”

Zelda cut her off with a kiss, gasping and pressing herself into the woman as Lilith’s nails raked down her back. 

“Fuck.”

Lilith nipped at her lip, smirking. 

“So biting, scratching…”

“Shut up,” Zelda husked. 

“Do you like being marked, Zelda?” Zelda whimpered as Lilith’s teeth closed around her nipple and she sucked, hard. “Is that what you’re into?”

“Fuck, Lilith, I-” Zelda cried out as Lilith sucked hard again, arching into the touch. 

“Or do you just like a little pain with your pleasure?”

“Yes!” Zelda hissed, and she tugged Lilith’s hair hard. “I swear, if you tease me about that I’ll-”

“Tease you?” Lilith nuzzled into Zelda’s breasts, pressing hot open-mouthed kisses over them. “I’m thinking of all the things I could do to you.”

Zelda’s groan was guttural, and Lilith smirked as she sucked at the soft curve of her breast, leaving a bruise blooming that she soothed with her tongue. She rolled them over, Zelda letting out a little yelp, and began to kiss down her stomach. She nuzzled into the softness of her, leaving kisses where her stomach swelled with every breath, and Zelda practically purred above her. 

“Lilith…”

Lilith’s fingers danced over curls, sliding through them before she hovered at her entrance. Zelda’s wetness clung to her, and she slid her fingers over her clit, rubbing, before sliding back down. Watching Zelda’s face, filled with anticipation, Lilith grinned, and then slid inside her. 

Zelda gasped, and then Lilith kissed her hard. Arm flexing, her fingers slid in and out of Zelda’s heat, nipping at her bottom lip. 

Zelda rocked into her, meeting her thrusts as Lilith slid an additional finger inside of her; Zelda tight around her as she moaned. Lilith’s fingers curled. 

“Fuck, Lilith…”

“Say that again,” Lilith purred. 

“Fuck.” Zelda smirked as she said it with emphasis.

“No,” Lilith nipped her jaw, to her ear and husked, “My name.”

Zelda tugged her hair, bringing her back to above her so that she could look up into her eyes. She leaned up and kissed her. 

“Lilith…”

Lilith licked her lips and smirked. 

“Again.”

“Lilith…” This time it was more of a moan, and Zelda arched as Lilith’s fingers picked up the pace. 

Lilith leaned down and kissed her, hard, and her thumb flicked over Zelda’s clit. Zelda moaned into her mouth, hot and wanting, and then her walls began to flutter and tighten. 

“Oh god…”

“Zelda…” Lilith groaned, watching the woman tremble as she began to come apart. 

“Lilith!” Zelda arched, her lips parting in a moan, her neck curved as she came, clenching hard around Lilith’s fingers. Lilith watched as Zelda’s eyes rolled back and she slowed her fingers, letting her ride out the orgasm until she collapsed, shuddering. “Oh god…”

Lilith leaned down, nuzzling into Zelda’s neck, placing kisses along the line of her jaw and across to her lips. Zelda’s eyes were glazed and they moved lazily to meet Lilith’s as a smile curved her lips. 

“Hello,” Lilith chuckled, kissing her as she slowly pulled her fingers free from inside Zelda. “Are you alright?”

“Yes,” Zelda hummed, smiling as she lifted her hand and ran it through her own hair. “That was…”

“I’ve made you speechless hmm?” Lilith bit her lip, and Zelda swatted weakly at her chuckling. 

“It’s been a long time since I’ve been touched like that. Or at all. I’m out of practice.”

“If what you did to me was you out of practice then you put me to shame,” Lilith smirked, kissing Zelda again. She settled on her side, propping her head up with her hand, and began tracing patterns over Zelda’s stomach with her fingers. 

Zelda captured her hand, staring at the glistening remnants of arousal that clung to her fingers before taking them into her mouth and sucking them clean, shooting a coy look at Lilith. Lilith pulled her fingers free, buried them in Zelda’s hair and pulled her into a kiss. 

“You were right,” Zelda murmured as they parted.

“About what?”

“I don’t think I’d have been able to leave your bed to go home tonight.”

“Oh?” Lilith smirked, biting her lip. Zelda rolled her eyes. 

“Don’t get a big head about it.”

“I would never,” Lilith grinned. “But I’m pleased you don’t have to.”

“We have to set an alarm. I can’t… we can’t be late with Faustus in the mood he’s in.”

Lilith’s nose wrinkled. 

“Did you have to bring up that ass while you’re in my bed?”

“Yes,” Zelda rolled her eyes. “He is our boss.”

“He’s a perve. And he’d blow his lid if he knew what we were up to.” Lilith frowned and pulled a face. “Or ask to watch.”

“Another reason to maintain our professionalism at rehearsals.” Zelda’s fingers trailed over Lilith’s arm, and then she shivered. 

“Cold?” Lilith murmured. Zelda nodded. 

Lilith reached down and tugged the blanket over them, shifting closer to Zelda, whose eyes were fluttering. 

“I’m sorry, I’m…” Zelda yawned. “Falling asleep.”

“That’s okay,” Lilith chuckled. 

Zelda nuzzled into her, and then froze. Lilith moved her arm, wrapping it around her and tugging her closer. Her fingers stroked Zelda’s arm and she kissed her head. Zelda relaxed. 

“I…” Another yawn. “Didn’t expect you to be the cuddling type.”

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me,” Lilith murmured, her eyes closing as she rested her head on Zelda’s. “Still want to stick around and find out?”

“Yes,” Zelda whispered softly, nuzzling her head into Lilith’s neck. “I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t.”

Lilith’s smile grew so big that Zelda could feel her jaw move on her head and she chuckled. 

“Shhh,” Lilith hummed. 

Zelda pressed a kiss to her and then her arm slid over Lilith’s waist, and her breathing levelled out. Within seconds, she was asleep and Lilith, with eyes drooping, listened to her breaths even as they tickled her neck. 

As the rhythm and sound pulled her towards sleep, Lilith yawned. Zelda nuzzled closer, humming, and Lilith smiled again. 

“You’re adorable.”

Zelda mumbled something into her neck that sounded suspiciously like ‘shut up’ and Lilith chuckled, yawned, and then closed her eyes. 

Chapter 14: Morning Showers

Summary:

So, was it just one night? How will things feel in the light of day?

Chapter Text

Lilith’s alarm pulled her out of a deep sleep, and she groaned, reaching out her hand to find her phone. It wasn’t on her bedside table, where it usually was, and she opened one eye slightly, confused. 

A groan in her ear made her turn her head, and she suddenly registered the warm body pressed against hers, stirring. 

“Loud,” Zelda’s sleepy voice husked, and Lilith took a deep breath through her nose, breathing in the scent of the woman tucked under her chin. 

“I think I left my phone in my jeans,” Lilith groaned. “Wherever they are.”

Zelda groaned and buried further into Lilith’s neck. 

“What time is it?”

“Seven,” Lilith murmured. 

Zelda mumbled and then shot up, clutching the sheet to her chest. 

“I have to go, Sabrina will be up…” She trailed off, blinking, and Lilith stretched, chuckling. 

“You don’t have to do anything except have a shower, preferably with me.” Lilith’s eyes followed the curve of Zelda’s back and her fingers reached out to dance over muscles. Zelda shivered, looking over her shoulder. 

“I don’t remember the last time I wasn’t there in the morning for her.”

Her lips drooped slightly, and Lilith sat up, pressing a kiss to her shoulder. 

“Are you alright?”

“Yes.” Zelda shrugged, then glanced at Lilith and sighed. “It’s… odd.”

Lilith kissed her shoulder again, inching closer, until her nose brushed Zelda’s. 

“Do you want to go?”

“No,” Zelda murmured. “By the time I got there I’d have to turn around to come back. Besides…”

She leaned in and kissed Lilith, slowly. 

“Well…” Lilith smiled into the kiss. “I could get used to this.”

Zelda’s little laugh made Lilith’s heart flutter. She bit her lip, and then the blaring alarm became too irritating to ignore. She rolled her eyes, pressing another kiss to Zelda’s lips and climbed out of bed. Lilith found her jeans and tugged the phone from her pocket. It was low on battery, but she was thankful that the alarm repeated at the same time every day, because if it hadn’t, they would be running late. 

She glanced back at Zelda, finding her sitting with her arms wrapped around her legs under the sheet, trailing her hot gaze over Lilith’s naked form. 

“See something you like?”

“Yes,” Zelda purred. “I do.”

“Well then you should follow it to the shower, because unless you want to get to rehearsal stinking of sweat and sex, we have to get ready.”

Zelda’s eyebrow lifted in amusement and then she slipped out from under the sheet. The morning sunlight caught in her hair, making it a golden halo around her, and Lilith was momentarily dazed by her. She looked like a painting… The Birth of Venus perhaps? Her toned and yet fleshy curves, the softening of her through age; the cheekbones so high that the gods could have crafted them… okay, that was  perhaps a little much, but Lilith’s mind was whirling, looking for ways in which to properly describe the beauty of the woman in front of her. 

She fell short as Zelda approached her. 

“Are you going to join me in the shower?” Zelda murmured, sliding her arms around Lilith’s waist. “Or are you worried that we’ll never leave it?”

“I am worried,” Lilith smirked, letting her hands stray. “But that won’t stop me from joining you.”

Zelda kissed her again, and Lilith backed her against the wall, dropping her phone on the floor. Zelda’s arms wrapped around Lilith’s shoulders, and her fingers tangled in her hair. She moaned as Lilith’s thigh slid between her legs, and rocked into it. For the first time in her life, the thought of attending rehearsal didn’t seem more important. Spending the day with Lilith, wrapped in sheets, exploring her body, seemed like the best way to spend the day. 

Lilith’s teeth nipped at her neck and Zelda’s eyes grew hazy with the cloud of arousal surrounding her. Lilith. She filled every single one of Zelda’s senses; the taste of her, the scent, the way she felt against her. Zelda could feel her arousal beginning to coat Lilith’s thigh and she whimpered. 

“Lilith…”

“I know, we have to go…”

“No… don’t stop…”

“In the shower then?” Lilith panted, grinding her thigh into Zelda and enjoying the sound of her; her hot wetness against her thigh. 

Zelda nodded, even as she leaned in to claim Lilith’s mouth again. They stayed that way for a little while, panting and grinding into each other, until Lilith groaned, pulling away with lidded eyes. She tugged Zelda with her, into the bathroom, never letting go. 

The water was welcome, but it couldn’t drown out the sounds of them as Lilith’s  fingers slid between Zelda’s thighs and began to caress her clit. Zelda mirrored her, aware of time, and under the relentless shower they fucked each other, until each as panting, open mouthed, staring at the other through dark eyes. 

“Close,” Zelda husked, her fingers buried inside Lilith’s tight, wet centre. 

“Yes…” Lilith moaned, her fingers curling inside Zelda. “Come with me.”

The shudder seemed to ripple through them both at the same time, an overwhelming quivering that left them with shaking knees, supported only by each other and the cold tile of the shower. 

“God…” Zelda moaned, untangling herself slowly from Lilith because her muscles were starting to lock in the aftermath. Lilith’s eyes were still closed, breathing, and Zelda leaned in to press a kiss to her lips. “Lilith?”

Blue eyes looked into hers and Lilith’s lips curled into a smile, still dazed from the waves of arousal she had just experienced. 

“Hello.”

“Hello,” Zelda chuckled. “We need to go to rehearsal.”

“Mmmm.”

She leaned in and kissed Zelda, sighing. 

***
Lilith followed Zelda up the stairs to rehearsal, unable to remove her eyes from Zelda’s ass in Lilith’s leggings. Zelda was more curved than her, and she filled the tight fabric in a way that was incredibly distracting. Not to mention that Lilith knew very well that Zelda was also wearing her underwear under there too. She licked her lips, imagining working Zelda up during rehearsal, making her have to be professional with dampening panties… 

“Stop staring at my ass,” Zelda smirked, her voice low as she turned at the top of the stairs and caught the other woman looking. 

“Can’t help it. You look good enough to eat.”

“Did you not get enough of me last night?”

“No. I doubt I could have enough of you, ever.”

Zelda’s cheeks tinged pink and she rolled her eyes, shoving Lilith away. 

“Get in there.”

“And where are you going?”

“To the bathroom. I’ll be in soon.”

“You just don’t want anyone thinking we came together,” Lilith poked at her and Zelda rolled her eyes again. 

“Yes, Lilith. Being exposed to the whole crew after one night together seems a little rushed, don’t you think?”

Lilith managed to catch her expression before she winced, instead shrugging and stepping backwards towards the doors. 

“Don’t be too long.”

“I won’t.”

When she entered the studio, Lilith’s eyes scanned the room automatically, looking for Roz and Agatha. She spotted them and headed over, dropping her bag and settling down. 
“Good morning.”

“So it seems,” Agatha smirked. “What’s got you all…”

She gestured at Lilith’s face. 

“What?”

“I don’t know. You’ve got this big grin on your face. Kind of like the one you get when…” Agatha trailed off, and her eyes widened. “Oh my god.”

“What?” Roz asked. 

“You got laid, didn’t you?” Agatha leaned forward. “Tell me everything.”

“Get out of my face,” Lilith chuckled, pushing her friend away from her. “Can I not just be happy? I’ve got the role of a lifetime, I have good friends…”

“Bullshit,” Agatha interrupted. “I know that face. You only look like that if you’ve had a really good orgasm.”

“I’m concerned about how much you’ve been paying attention to my facial expressions if you think you know what I look like after I’ve come.”

“AH HA!” Agatha said, far too loudly, and Roz hushed her as other people looked over at them. “So you admit it.”

“I admit nothing,” Lilith rolled her eyes. 

“Agatha has a point. You don’t normally… glow this much. Please don’t tell me you’re pregnant.” Lilith shot her a look as Agatha nudged her. “Right, shit. No, of course you’re not.”

Lilith took off her shoes, swapping to her heels, and began to stretch. Agatha and Roz looked between each other, but left the conversation alone, for the moment. 

“His royal asshole is in a bad mood this morning by the way,” Agatha whispered. “I saw him when I got here. He looks worse than yesterday.”

“Great, just what I need.” Lilith muttered. 

“I’ve worked with him before and I’m pretty sure he’s never been this level of asshole.” Roz added. “Maybe it’s because of Mary and all that. Maybe he’s feeling stressed.”

“We’re all stressed. Don’t see me destroying everyone’s happiness.”

“He’s not some Disney villain,” Lilith rolled her eyes. “Everyone has bad days. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I hate the guy as much as the next person but…”

Lilith trailed off as Zelda entered the room with Faustus. She had her rigid mask of indifference on; the one that Lilith hadn’t seen since before the cupcake situation. 

“Maybe she can tell us what’s wrong with him,” Agatha lowered her voice even further. “Did you know they worked together in England?”

“Yes, when they were younger,” Lilith replied, dragging her eyes from Zelda to raise her eyebrow at Agatha. “Why?”

“Just wondered if that’s why she always has a weird look on her face when he gets close. Reckon they hooked up?”

Lilith felt a chill roll down her back. She’d momentarily forgotten what Zelda had told her about her relationship with Faustus. 

“Let’s not start any rumours,” she said, before Roz and Agatha could begin to speculate. “Besides, he’s married.”

“Wouldn’t be the first time that sort of thing has happened and you know it. Everyone is fucking in theatre. Besides, he wasn’t married when they worked together before; I’m not saying now.”

“Well don’t say ever. As if she’s not already had enough scrutiny.”

“Okay, okay, I was just curious. There’s something weird about their friendship either way.”

“Doesn’t mean they’ve fucked.”

“Well I hope she’s got better taste,” Roz said. “She’s too clever to be with an asshole like him.”

Lilith grinned but before she could respond, Zelda appeared, putting down her bag and daintily sitting next to Lilith. She kept a gap between them and Lilith’s skin prickled, itching to reach out and touch her. 

“Hello,” Zelda greeted the group, smiling lightly at them. 

“Hey,” they chorused. Agatha leaned in conspiratorially. “What did Blackwood want?”

“Oh, nothing much,” Zelda waved the question away, slipping off her shoes. She flexed her feet, rubbing the arches. “He wants to hit the Hot Honey Rag hard today, apparently.”

“I won’t have any feet left,” Lilith groaned. 

“You’re quite dramatic, aren’t you?” Zelda chuckled. 

“I’ve always been loud,” Lilith shrugged, sending Zelda a sly glance. Zelda’s focus on her feet became intent, as the tiniest flush coloured her neck. 

“Oh trust me, I remember,” Agatha smirked. Zelda’s head shot up. 

“You… I wasn’t aware that the two of you had been… involved.”

Lilith snorted while Agatha cackled. 

“Oh god no. She let me sleep on her couch while I was going through a rough time and not working.”

Zelda and Roz looked at her expectantly. Agatha blinked and Lilith rolled her eyes. 

“She’s talking about the time I came in drunk and tripped over her suitcase because she’s a messy-”

“-Hey! It wasn’t in the way you were just being a drunk idiot.”

“It was in the middle of the floor!”

“Was not.”

“Anyway,” Lilith rolled her eyes again. “I went crashing to the floor, woke her up, and then kept her up for another few hours because she had to take me to the E.R.”

Lilith gestured at the scar on her head, and Zelda scooted closer, peering at her. 

“So that’s where that comes from?” She murmured, amused. “A drunken fall?”

“More like being sabotaged by my friend and the pointy edge of my table.”

“While drunk.”

Lilith narrowed her eyes and opened her mouth to respond, but it was then that Faustus chose to call them all to the floor, so she dropped it and instead climbed to her feet, trying not to watch Zelda too much in her clothes. 

“Given that our previews are in one week and our Velma is not yet  up to scratch,” Faustus gave her a pointed look and Lilith felt the eyes of the cast turn on her. “We’ll be running the show from start to finish and then focusing on everything that didn’t go perfectly.”

Zelda’s fingers twitched and Lilith felt them brush against hers. It could have been an accident, but Lilith doubted it. Faustus’ eyes returned to her and Lilith looked back at him, refusing to allow him to see how disappointed she was that he thought she was bad enough to call out in front of the whole team. 

“I’ll give you five more minutes to warm up and make sure you have everything you need for a full run through. And no marking through; I need to see where we’re at.”

The cast dispersed quickly, breaking into groups to stretch, organise show changes and props, all the while muttering under their breath about Faustus’ mood. Lilith’s eyes stayed on Faustus for a few moments after everyone around her had begun to move. His lip curled unpleasantly, and then he turned away. Zelda’s fingers brushing her again brought Lilith back to focus. 

“Come on,” she murmured. “Don’t give him any reason to focus on you more.”

Gritting her teeth, Lilith turned and walked with Zelda back to where they had been before. Roz and Agatha both gave Lilith a look as she slid into the splits next to them, a look of grim determination on her face. 

“What the fuck is his problem?” Agatha hissed, her voice lowered as she leaned in. “Why does he have it out for you like that?”

“I don’t know.”

“You didn’t give him attitude or something?”

“No, Agatha, I didn’t,” Lilith snapped. Zelda’s warning hum next to her made Lilith shoot her a look, but she shut up and focused on stretching. 

A shadow fell over them, and they glanced up to find Lucifer’s lazy grin beaming down on them. 

“Well, Demon, sounds like you’ve pissed off our fearless leader. What did you do; sleep with his wife?”

“Go fuck yourself Luci.”

Lucifer’s smirk faltered and his eyes cooled; Lilith knew that he hated that nickname. He leaned down, close to her ear. 

“You know, I would, but I’m in such high demand I don’t need a sad, lonely wank like you. When was the last time you had a good fuck, Lil? Bet it was… oh… about two years ago?”

Lilith’s knuckles went white and she had to put all her energy into not throwing her head back as hard as possible to smash his nose. 

“Lucifer,” Zelda interrupted, standing sharply from where she’d been stretching next to Lilith. “Go through our number with me, will you? I’m not sure we’re getting the timing right about half way through.”

“Sure,” Lucifer stood with a smirk. “I’ll grab a chair and you can sit on my lap.”

He disappeared and Lilith looked up at Zelda. 

“I could’ve handled him.”

“I know.” Zelda arched her eyebrow. “But I imagine your handling of it would end in the police being called. Besides, we really do need to work on ‘We both reached for the gun’.”

Lucifer had reappeared, chair in hand. 

“What bit do you need extra practice on, Spellman?”

Zelda rolled her eyes at their little group and then turned to Lucifer. 

“The part midway through, where you stand me up and ragdoll me around.”

Lucifer’s eyes glinted and he smiled. 

“Like a man in charge, Spellman?”

“Shut up, Luci,” Lilith snapped at him. She was loud enough that a few people around them looked over. “Quit being a perve.”

“Jealous?” Lucifer shot back. Lilith opened her mouth as if she was going to say something else, but Zelda stepped between them. 

“Preferably before Faustus starts rehearsal?”

Lucifer sat himself down on the chair and patted his lap. Zelda lowered herself down to sit on his lap. Lilith’s eyes burned into his back.

They began, midway through the song, with Lucifer’s hands shifting and controlling Zelda like a ventriloquist’s dummy. They didn’t sing, just went through the routine with lowered voices, and when Lucifer shifted Zelda’s feet to his to stand them up, Lilith shifted to watch that he didn’t linger on her thighs. 

They stood and Lucifer’s leg buckled as he yelped. 

“Sorry,” Zelda murmured, removing her heel from his big toe. “Are you okay?”

“Fine,” he gritted out, shaking his foot. He spun her around a little sharper than he usually would and as he spun her back in, Zelda’s elbow sank into his stomach. Lucifer doubled over, winded. 

“Jesus, Spellman!”

Zelda’s hands worried over his back as Lilith shot to her feet, eyebrows arched and lips clamped firmly shut, trying not to laugh. 

“I’m so sorry!”

“What the hell is going on?” Faustus’ voice called out as he crossed the floor, eyes fixed on them. 

“An accident, Faustus,” Zelda said, patting Lucifer on the back where he sat doubled over on the chair, sucking in his breaths. “Lucifer spun me so fast I’m afraid I lost my balance.”

She elbowed me in the damn ribs and dug her heel into my fucking foot!”

“I feel dreadful,” Zelda said, turning big eyes on Faustus. “Perhaps he should see the first aider, just to be sure?”

“I’m fine,” Lucifer spat, catching his breath finally. “I was just winded.”

“It’s the week before previews,” Faustus reminded them with a hiss. “A little more caution, please. Lucifer, if you’re fine, walk it off. Easy on the spin too. Zelda, watch your feet. We can’t afford any more injuries.”

“Of course, and I do apologise, to both of you,” she repeated, looking truly sorry. She stepped back as Lucifer stood up, wincing. 

“It’s alright, Spellman.” Lucifer seemed to have remembered that there were other people around and a tight version of his usual grin was in place. “But you owe me a dance and a drink next time we go out.”

Lilith, trying desperately hard not to grin like a kid on Christmas, saw Faustus’ hand clench into a fist. 

“I’d have thought you all had enough to focus on without dating.”

“Oh, we’re not dating,” Zelda assured him, her voice raised for the rest of the cast to hear. “He means when everyone goes out together. Lucifer is dating Dorcas.”

“Lucifer glanced around. Dorcas was there, but one or two other women in the cast looked surprised and upset by that announcement. 

“I’m not dating anyone, Spellman. What I get up to outside of these rehearsals isn’t any of your…” He trailed off, pulling himself together. “I’m just saying, I don’t like to date, but if you want a drink-”

“Enough,” Faustus snapped. “I’m not running a reality show in here. I don’t care who is fucking who, dating who or whatever else is going on, until it becomes a problem for this show. So from now on, all of you keep it in your pants and I want no more displays like this, do you understand?”

There was a general murmur of agreement as he glared around the room, before he returned his gaze to Zelda and Lucifer. 

“Lucifer, go check your foot with the medic. Zelda, a word, outside. The rest of you, get ready to start. We’ve wasted enough time.”

Zelda glanced at Lilith as she followed Faustus out of the room and gave her a little smile and wink. Lilith’s heart swelled. 

“Did she just do that for you?” Roz whispered as Lucifer did an exaggerated limp to the medic. “Because damn.”

“I mean he was harassing her too but… yes, I think she did.”

Agatha and Roz exchanged knowing looks. Lilith narrowed her eyes, suspicious. 

“Hey, don’t look at us like that,” Agatha said. 

“You two are being suspicious.”

“Are we?” Roz replied, a faux innocence crossing her face. 

“Yes.”

They looked at each other again and then giggled. 

“What?”

“Oh come on, you totally have a thing for her.”

Lilith swallowed and then shrugged dismissively.

“And? So what if I do?”

“She likes you too.”

“You don’t know that.”


“We have eyes.”

Lilith rolled her own eyes, trying to dispel the heat she could feel spreading across her cheeks. Memories of Zelda’s moans, of her soft skin and lips, invaded her mind. 

“You two need a hobby. Or boyfriends.”

“Actually, Harvey asked me out,” Roz said. “We’re getting dinner tonight.”

She glanced over at the man, a grin on her face that lit the room more than the overhead lighting did. 

“Well you’d better watch out now,” Lilith laughed. “Blackwood looks ready to make everyone sign a celibacy clause.”

“Gross,” Agatha scrunched up her face. “Just because he’s not getting any, why do we have to suffer?”

“How do you know he’s not getting any?” Lilith asked. 

“Just a hunch. The gossip columns are all focused on the show and they’ve started to focus on his marriage.”

“Some people think they’re divorcing.”

“Maybe that’s why he’s in a foul mood,” Lilith muttered, glancing at the door that Faustus and Zelda had disappeared through. 

“Doesn’t explain why he’s focused on making your life hell though.”

“No,” she muttered, as Faustus and Zelda walked back in. “That doesn’t explain it, but maybe…”

***
By lunch time, Zelda felt as though every muscle in her body was protesting. Perhaps she was too old to have sex befoe a rehearsal; was that a thing? She glanced over at Lilith. 

Fuck. 

Zelda stared at the woman’s arms, covered in a sheen of sweat. The tank top clung to her and Zelda was reminded of the curves of her body when she was naked; the way her sharp angles seemed to soften where her strong muscles gave her more shape. 

Lilith was practising sharp, Fosse movements; her arms twisting, the muscles in her legs pronounced with each step. 

Zelda was pleasantly distracted by the brief daydream of Lilith dancing for her as she stripped, sliding into a straddle split on top of Zelda like she had in Cell Block, and using her strong arms to hold her in place as she writhed under her expert touch…

She blinked; Lilith was smirking at her, as if she knew what Zelda had been thinking. Arching her eyebrow, Zelda met Lilith’s gaze, feeling the heat curling in her stomach despite the exhaustion. 

“Alright, that’s lunch,” Prudence called. Faustus was on the phone to the producers and waved at them dismissively. Everyone darted away, relieved. 

“Fancy lunch?” Lilith asked, leaning in close as Zelda took a long drink from her bottle. She swallowed. 

“I promised lunch to my sister and Sabrina.”

“Oh good,” Lilith smiled, ignoring the slight disappointment in her chest. “Making up for missing breakfast?”

“Something like that,” Zelda smiled. 

They headed out of the rehearsal room together, and Lilith hung back as a small blonde child collided with Zelda’s legs. 

“Auntie Zee, I missed you!” Sabrina grinned up at her, eyes a little watery. “Aunt Hilda said we’re going for lunch and I have been a good girl so I get fries and an ice cream too, and I put my shoes on by myself so…”

Sabrina trailed off, spotting Lilith.

“Hey kid.”

“HI!” Sabrina’s grin got even bigger, if that was possible. “Are you coming to lunch too?”

“Uhm…” Lilith glanced at Zelda who was worrying her lip and looked unsure. 

“Of course she can come,” Hilda said, stepping closer. “If she wants to, that is.”

“I wouldn’t want to intrude,” Lilith said, eyes fluttering to Zelda again. The red-head looked like she was trying to solve a problem, considering Lilith carefully, like she had hen she was trying to work out whether she was the cause of the name calling. Lilith remembered what she had said about not letting her family know until she was sure that this was something more, and she didn’t want to put any pressure on Zelda. 

“Oh, I’m sure you wouldn’t be, right, Zelds?”

“Please Auntie Zee?” Sabrina looked up at her with big eyes. 

“Hey, kid, your Aunt probably wants you all to herself without her friend-”

“You can come,” Zelda burst out. Lilith looked at her, surprised. “If you want, I mean.”

Well… how could Lilith say no to that?

Chapter 15: Family Lunch

Summary:

Lilith goes to lunch with Zelda's family.

Chapter Text

They ended up in a small diner where Sabrina would be able to get her promised fries and ice cream, but where Zelda seemed to be struggling to pick something to eat. Lilith's eyes kept sliding to her over the top of her menu, and she could see her brow furrowing hard.

"Well, l think with all the hard work we've been doing, a burger and fries won't do me any harm, right, Zelda?" She sent her a smile and Zelda's face relaxed a little.

"I think you'll be fine," she mused, a slight smile tweaking her lips. “I on the other hand-”

“Oh Zelda, you’ve always been so worried about what you eat,” Hilda interrupted, her expression a mixture of concern, exasperation and sadness. “You don’t always have to worry about that sort of thing, you know?”

“I do, in fact.” Zelda’s lips became thin. “It is a part of my job to remain healthy and fit.”

“But you don’t have to obsess over every-”

“I think what Hilda is trying to say,” Lilith interrupted, aware that Sabrina, sitting next to Zelda, was beginning to look between her aunties with a trembling bottom lip, clearly sensing the argument. “Is that you look damn good and you’re incredibly fit and healthy and one burger isn’t going to change that. But if you don’t want anything here we can grab things to go and get you something somewhere else and then go…”

Lilith trailed off as she realised that both Hilda and Zelda were staring at her. While Hilda looked rather impressed, if taken aback, with a smile on her face, Zelda’s expression was much more complicated. Lilith saw frustration, pride… but mostly she saw confusion and a little something that looked like the ghost of the softness she had seen when they were alone.  

“Don’t you want fries, Auntie Zee?” Sabrina asked, tugging on her aunt’s arm. “They’re yummy.”

Zelda’s entire demeanour softened and she gazed down at the little girl lovingly. Lilith’s heart skipped a beat when her cheeks rounded so beautifully. 

“Yes, you’re right, Sabrina. They are yummy. Perhaps I’ll have them with a salad.”

“Sounds delicious,” Lilith said.

Zelda glanced back up at her and while her expression was still guarded, there was more of the softness than she had before, although Lilith was sure that was more because of Sabrina than her. 

“Well, that’s settled then,” Hilda said, smiling and put down her menu. “Shall I go up and order?”

“Yes, why don’t you?”

They each gave Hilda their order and Lilith volunteered to follow her up to help carry their drinks. She glanced back as they walked up to the counter, and saw Zelda stroking Sabrina’s hair behind her ear. 

“That was quite something, back there.” Hilda said as they waited in line. 

“Hmm?” Lilith’s gaze was tugged from Zelda as she paid attention to her sister. “Oh, it was nothing. She’s just…”

“Yes?”

“Complicated.”

“That’s an understatement,” Hilda sighed. The way she looked at her sister, with such a mix of love and sadness, made the strings of Lilith’s heart pull. 

“She puts herself under an incredible amount of pressure. She’s lucky to have you and Sabrina to remind her that she’s loved.”

“I don’t believe we’re the only ones.” Hilda gave her a look, and Lilith felt her cheeks heat. “Oh don’t look at me that way. I’ve seen you both together; the way she looks at you. And she was with you last night, wasn’t she?”

Lilith looked around, remembering Zelda’s desire to keep things quiet for now. No one seemed close enough to hear. 

“She was, but-”

“But nothing,” Hilda soothed, although her grin was so wide that Lilith was practically dazzled. Somehow, it was nothing compared to the rare smile she could steal from Zelda. “Do you know the last time Zelda spent a night away from Sabrina for something other than work? Never. She’s never missed bedtime unless she was on stage.”

“I’m not sure if I should feel good about that.”

“Oh please, honey, it’s about time. I’m just glad that she finally found someone that made her break out of her shell a little. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen her this happy.”

“Really?” Lilith looked over at Zelda, who was looking at them both with a curious frown, as if she had realised they were discussing her. When she caught Lilith’s eye, Zelda raised an eyebrow. 

“Yes, really.” Hilda said, and Lilith dragged her eyes away from Zelda again to look at the woman by her side. “So, as her sister, it’s my duty to say… if you hurt her, I’ll kill you and make it look like an accident.”

Lilith would have laughed, but the fierce protectiveness of Hilda’s tone made her think twice. 

“Don’t hurt Zelda, got it.” She nodded. “Although I don’t think I have it in me to do it on purpose.”

“No,” Hilda responded as they moved up in the queue. “I don’t think so either.”

“How would you do it though? Poisoned cupcakes?”

“No, too much room for mistake,” Hilda replied casually, as though they were discussing the weather. “Dropping a light on you on stage would be too dramatic even for our family. I’m thinking something a little more subtle.”

“You know, I see that family resemblance now. You’re scary. But in a protective way.”

“Thank you,” Hilda beamed. 

A few minutes later and Lilith was carrying their drinks over while Hilda nipped to the bathroom. She put the tray down on the table and handed out the drinks, before settling back into her seat. Only then did she meet Zelda’s eyes. 

“And what were you two talking about?” Zelda asked in a low tone, even with Sabrina lost in colouring and drinking her milkshake. 

“I believe I was receiving the big sister talk from your younger sister.”

“Ah,” Zelda’s eyebrow rose even higher as her lips twitched in amusement. “And how did that go?”

“I think I’m safe from poisoned cupcakes and falling stage lights,” Lilith grinned, sipping her milkshake. “But my actual demise is to be determined. Depending on whether I do anything to deserve it, of course.”


“Of course,” Zelda smiled and Lilith’s body tingled as Zelda’s foot brushed against her calf. “I would be terribly upset if she disposed of you without cause.”

“Oh would you?” Lilith leaned in. 

“Yes.” Zelda leaned closer too, her lips blooming into a conspiratorial grin. “It’s very difficult to find a competent co-star these days.”

Lilith rolled her eyes and laughed. 

“Of course.”

Zelda sat back, smirking, and then her arm was stretching behind Sabrina and her attention was captured once more by her niece.

“That’s very pretty, Sabrina.”

“It’s you Auntie Zee!”

“Oh is it?” Zelda leaned closer and then glanced up at Lilith who was leaning in to look at the picture. The only thing to really resemble Zelda in the mess of shapes and scribbles was her hair colour, although it was a mess rather akin to a bird's nest, and she tamped down a smirk as she raised her eyebrow. 

“Hey kid, you got her hair down to a tee.”

Zelda kicked her under the table and Lilith barely restrained the snort of laughter. 

“And what’s this?” Zelda pointed at the other scribble. 

“That’s Lilith!”

After a brief flicker of surprise passed over her face, it was Zelda’s turn to smirk as she looked at the other woman. 

“You really captured her.”

Lilith would have rolled her eyes, but Sabrina was grinning proudly at her, waiting to see if she liked it, and she couldn’t bear to disappoint the child. Besides, the kid had drawn her and Zelda together and that was… well, frankly, adorable and a little too insightful. 

“Nice work. Your aunt should put it on her fridge.”

“No,” Sabrina shook her head firmly. 

“No? We always hang up your art.” Zelda looked surprised. 

“This one is for Lilith’s fridge.”

Oh. 

As Zelda looked up at her in surprise, Lilith’s heart twisted a little. She swallowed, trying to clear the sudden lump in her throat. 

“Oh, wow, kid… that’s… that’s really…” Sabrina was blinking at her expectantly and Lilith shook herself. “That’s really sweet. Thank you. I’ll put it front and centre.”

Sabrina grinned broadly, and then looked down to do a last scribble on the paper. It took so much concentration that her little tongue became clamped between her teeth and Lilith was thankful for the moment it gave her to recover. Zelda’s expression, so soft, was almost enough to make her eyes well with big, salty tears. 

Sabrina finished her drawing with a dramatic flourish and pushed the paper towards Lilith, who caught it and looked down. 

“Is that you?” She asked, pointing towards the yellow and red blob between her and Zelda. It matched Sabrina’s coat and was smaller than she and Zelda’s blobs. 

“Yep and that’s Auntie Hilda.” Sabrina waved at the other blob next to Zelda. 

“Why… uhm, kid, this is a really cute family picture. Why’d you stick silly old me on there?”

Sabrina screwed up her face like the question was ridiculous. 

“Because Auntie Zee never lets anyone from work hang out with me. She doesn’t really have friends; not like me and Theo are friends. Theo’s my best friend in the whole world!” She finished triumphantly. 

“Sabrina… I do have friends, dear.” Zelda was flushed. 

“Then how come I never meet them?”

“I-” Zelda glanced up at Lilith. “Well, do you like that I have a friend?”

Sabrina nodded. 

“I like Lilith, she’s the nice lady.”

“Now you’ll never be rid of me,” Lilith muttered, although her entire heart and stomach seemed to be twisting in knots with how much she was feeling. Zelda shot her a soft look and reached out her hand, briefly comforting Lilith by settling her hand on her arm and brushing her thumb over it. 

“And you wouldn’t mind if I spent more time with Lilith?” 

Sabrina shook her head emphatically, and then reached out, trying to put her hand on top of Zelda’s where it rested on Lilith’s arm. 

“I like Lilith.”

“Well I think that settles that,” Lilith smiled, winking at Sabrina and then at Zelda. 

“Settles what?” 

Hilda had reappeared and was looking down at them all with a knowing smile on her face.

“That Lilith is going to put Sabrina’s latest work of art on her fridge,” Zelda said and she withdrew her hand, wrapping her arm around Sabrina instead and squeezing her into her side.

“Oh?” Hilda peered over as she took her seat, and her amusement was apparent as soon as she’d spotted the piece. “Is that all of us?”

Lilith was more impressed that Hilda could work out what the drawing was without any context, but then she supposed the woman spent all of her time with the child. 
While Sabrina started excitedly telling Hilda about the drawing, Lilith’s eyes slid to Zelda again. The woman was watching her, and Lilith’s heart fluttered. After everything Zelda had said about keeping a low profile, about not doing anything with her family until she was sure, and here they were as close to having a blessing from a small child and a protective sister as they were likely to get without officially announcing whatever was between them. 

And what was between them? Lilith didn’t know how Zelda felt, not really, but it had been a long time since she’d put her heart on the line, and she’d been hurt over and over, but for Zelda, she was willing to risk a little pain if it would mean she got more of… this. 

Zelda bit her lip as her stomach twisted and her breath caught in the intensity of Lilith’s blue eyes. The way the woman was looking at her made her skin prickle with a heat that was only partly similar to the way she’d burned the night before. She pulled her eyes away and pushed the feeling down as nerves twisted her stomach. 

This was fast; one moment she had been keeping the prospect of Lilith meeting her family at arms length and the next her niece was drawing them together and beaming at Lilith like she was part of the family. They had spent one night together. One. A few lunches, a dinner, a couple of car rides and hours of rehearsals… it was no foundation for something that deep yet. 

And yet the scariest part, Zelda thought as she looked back up at Lilith when their food arrived, was that there was a part of her that didn’t mind at all. That wanted Lilith to be more than just someone she desired. 

If she was honest with herself, she already was. But Zelda’s fear was ice; it slid through her veins and chilled the heat and she withdrew as her food was placed in front of her. Focusing on the salad, she took a breath and picked up her fork. 

Lilith noticed Zelda withdrawing, and even Sabrina couldn’t bring back the full smile that she had caused before. There was something melancholy that had settled over Zelda and it stayed through the meal, although she seemed to be normal.

To anyone that didn’t know her, that is. 

“Are you okay?” Lilith murmured to her when Hilda took Sabrina to the bathroom and they were flagging down the waitress to pay. 

“I’m fine. We have to get going though; we’ll be late back.”

“Zelda, we still have twenty minutes.”

“I like to be back early.”

“I’ve noticed.” Lilith slid her hand across the table and let her finger trace over the bone of Zelda’s wrist. The red-head stared at her hand and then slowly looked back up at her. “What’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

“Well, if you don’t want to tell me, that’s fine, but please do me the courtesy of not lying to me.” Lilith withdrew her hand, and Zelda’s eyelashes fluttered as she sighed. 

“I’m sorry, Lilith. I’m not… I’m not used to this.”

“What?”

“Dating. Being… whatever we are. It’s not something I’m familiar with and I haven’t been for a long time. I’m out of practice.”

“Well,” Lilith leaned forward, resting on her elbows. “I can’t say I have the greatest experience either, as you know. But I do know that communication is always a good thing.”

“It’s really nothing important. Silly, honestly.”

“Not if it had such an effect on you.” Lilith’s finger brushed against the bone of her wrist again and Zelda glanced around before putting her hand over Lilith’s and skimming over it with her thumb. 

“Lilith…” Zelda trailed off as she spotted the waitress heading over, and she withdrew. “Later.”

“Whenever you want,” Lilith replied. Inside her, she felt pride blooming. She had never been one to react so… well, maturely, but something inside of her instinctively knew that the worst thing she could do was to react badly to Zelda closing off.

They were alike in that, she supposed. She would run for the hills if anyone pressed her too hard. Still, there was an urge to chase Zelda for an explanation, a fear that she was pulling away so soon from what was developing between them, and it itched at Lilith, making it hard to ignore. 

By the time they returned to the rehearsal studios, Hilda and Sabrina in tow, both women were half lost in thought, and it was only Sabrina that tugged them out of it. 

“Do you have to go, Auntie Zee?” Her bottom lip was wobbling, and she was clinging to Zelda hard. 

“Yes, darling, I have to get back to rehearsal.”

“But I don’t want you to go.”

“Sabrina, remember we’ve talked about this? This is my job and I have to-”

“NO!” She cried, her face screwed up as a tantrum began. Lilith winced as the girl began to wail. 

“Sabrina!” Zelda let out an exasperated and embarrassed huff and knelt down in front of the child, removing tiny fists from her jacket. “Sabrina Spellman, I will not have you screaming like this.”

“I don’t want you to go, you never spend any time with me!”

“Sabrina!” Hilda exclaimed. “Your aunt spends every moment she’s not working with you, and you should be proud of her for-”

“-Hilda, I can handle this.”

“Maybe I should…” Lilith gestured over her shoulder at the door, guilt creeping in that this was probably because Zelda had spent the night with her instead of being there for Sabrina. 

Before she could make a subtle retreat to give the family some privacy, the door opened and Faustus burst through looking thoroughly pissed.

"What is that god awful noise...?" He trailed off when he saw the scene in front of him; Zelda knelt down with a wailing Sabrina and Hilda and Lilith stood around them. " Zelda... What is going on? Rehearsal is about to start and some of the producers are inside wondering whether where their star is."

“My niece is upset, Faustus; children cry. I should hope with your wife expecting that you would be prepared for that.”

Lilith stared at Zelda, then at Faustus, who seemed to have taken her statement with insult. 

“Well then your sister can look after her while you get back to work.”

“Faustus,” Zelda began, but Lilith stepped between them. 

“Hey boss, we’ve still got five minutes before lunch is officially up, so why don’t you introduce me to the producers so that Zelda can reassure her niece that she’ll see her in a few hours?”

Faustus looked like he wanted to snap back at her, but after another glance at Zelda and the wailing Sabrina, he sighed and turned back to the door, gesturing for Lilith to follow him. 

Lilith glanced down at Zelda. 

“I’ll see you in there.”

“Thank you,” she muttered, barely glancing at Lilith as she tried to console Sabrina. 

Lilith followed Faustus, and the moment they were at the doors he morphed into the charming director that he usually was when someone important came to rehearsal. 

“Gentlemen,” he cried as he walked through the doors, Lilith behind him and barely ducking out of the way of his suddenly outstretched arms. “Our star’s niece is devastated that she cannot watch our fantastic show; it shall all be resolved in a moment. In the meantime, I would like to introduce you to my newest find, our Velma, Lilith Demons.”

He presented her as though she were his grand find, as though all of her efforts were nothing before his existence in her life. 

Two men, each in suits that probably cost more than Lilith earned a month, looked her up and down before extending their hands. One was an older gentleman with a beard that was white as snow, who Faustus introduced as Mr. Webster, the other a young, handsome man who clearly knew he looked good, and was introduced as Mr. Gray.  

“Pleasure to meet you.” She fought the urge to glance at the door, wishing Zelda were with her. She wasn’t used to having to make nice with the money. 

“Charmed,” the older man said, bowing his head as he took her hand. “Faustus has been telling us all about how he’s plucked you from the chorus line and thrust you into the spotlight.”

“Always a talent for spotting talent, eh Blackwood?” The younger man said and Faustus laughed with him. Lilith barely contained a grimace, but the older man caught her expression and winked. Something in the way he did it made Lilith smile, as though he understood that Faustus was all pomp and hot air. 

“I shall very much look forward to seeing what you can do, Ms. Demons.” He released her hand, and Lilith inclined her head. 

“Well, I think you’ll be pleased. I’ve been working hard to make sure that I can do Velma proud, although the real star of our group is Ms. Spellman, of course.”

“Ah yes, our English rose,” Mr. Gray proclaimed. 

Lilith raised her eyebrow at his assessment of Zelda, and at how off base he was especially given her role in the show. 

“I told you that I directed her breakout role, of course,” Faustus said, and Lilith had to use every drop of her acting skills not to look at him with outright hilarity and astonishment. In fact, she could feel words stroking at her tongue, daring her to call him out for daring to even hint at having anything to do with Zelda’s deserved fame. 

Fortunately, she was saved by Zelda’s return. The woman strode through the doors as though she owned the place, and Lilith turned to see her heading straight in their direction. 

“Gentlemen, apologies for my delay. How kind of you to visit us.” 

“That’s quite alright, Ms. Spellman, we heard about your niece.” Mr Gray presented himself first, kissing her hand. “I suppose you can’t blame the child for wanting to watch her famous aunt perform. Clearly the child has taste.”

Zelda raised her eyebrow and her smile turned plastic. 

“Thank you, Mr. Gray.”

“Zelda,” Mr. Webster greeted her, clasping her hand. “A pleasure to see you again.”

“Daniel,” Zelda’s smile became friendly again. “How lovely. How is your daughter?”

“Very well, thank you. Currently treading the boards with the RSC, I’m sure with some thanks to you.”

“She’s a talented girl, and I only mentioned her to a friend there, nothing more. She did that on her own.”

“Yes, well, she’s instructed me to pass on her thanks and her love, and has threatened that if I don’t get her a ticket to opening night then she’ll start another phrase of teenage rebellion or some such thing.” He chuckled, waving his hand. 

Lilith’s lips twitched; here was Zelda, confirming that her feeling about the man being a decent human being was correct. She had never really seen the other woman throw her charm around with business men either, and that was something to see. Lilith wondered if she could steal a kiss or three later and tell Zelda how hot she was when she was in full lead actress mode. 

“Well, we had better not disappoint her then, or you for that matter. I gather you’re here to get a sneak preview of what your money is being used for?”

Mr. Gray laughed with Mr. Webster at that. 

“Correct, Ms. Spellman. Faustus  has been telling us such things; we had to see for ourselves.”

“Well then, we had better prepare ourselves, if you’ll excuse Lilith and I?”

“Of course.”

“Yes, we’ll start from Roxie, really showcase our star,” Faustus said as Zelda’s hand caught on Lilith’s elbow, guiding her away. 

“Can I just say, that was kind of hot how you-” Lilith began under her breath as they got far enough away from the men, but Zelda’s hand tightened on her elbow before she released her. 

“I’m sorry, about Sabrina.” Zelda muttered as they reached their bags. “She wasn’t expecting me to be absent this morning and-”

“Zelda, there’s no need to apologise. You said it yourself, children get upset.”

“That’s not what I’m sorry for,” Zelda said, slipping on her heels with practiced ease. “I’m sorry because I don’t think I can do what we did last night again. Not-”

“-wait.” Lilith stopped, half way through buckling her heels. “Are you saying that… that you want to break up before we’re even officially…”

“No!” Zelda’s whispered hiss was loud and a couple of the dancers nearby looked around, curious. She shot them a look and then lowered her voice. “No, Lilith, that’s not what I meant.”

“Then what did you mean?”

Faustus clapped his hands together, commanding their attention. 

“From the beginning of ‘Roxie’, everyone. Our esteemed producers are waiting to see how talented you all are.”

Zelda glanced at Lilith, frustration clear in her face. 

“Afterwards. We’ll talk after.”

Then she strode towards the centre and Lilith was left shoving the strap of her shoe through the buckle with more force than was necessary. 

Chapter 16: Investors

Summary:

Zelda and Lilith meet and aim to impress the investors, and have the important conversation that Zelda left unfinished.

Chapter Text

Zelda’s last words clung to Lilith like the sweat to her back as they worked through the show in front of the investors. She had swallowed the thoughts that had buzzed to life when she was left without an answer, without understanding, and they were curdling in her stomach. 

She focused on the performance, pushing everything down deep inside. She could wait until after rehearsal to talk to Zelda; now she had to put on the performance of her life. If the investors liked her, then Faustus would have a harder time threatening her job every time he thought she hadn’t done something perfectly. In fact, if she did her best now, he might even focus less on her apparent failings and see that she was made for this role. 

Made for the role. Lilith’s head snapped up with a smirk on her face as she performed and she locked eyes with each man as she went through ‘I can’t do it alone’. She played it strong, confident in parts and desperate in others, and whenever she locked eyes with Zelda, their gaze burned so strong that she felt her blood hum with the energy. She shot the audience a look as she played the amusing parts, and felt her heart leap when she spotted that they were fixed on her with that look in their eyes that she’d only ever seen people give performers like Zelda. It spurred her on, and she cartwheeled over the chair perfectly before breaking into her dance break. 

She ended up standing centre stage, with Zelda to the side on a chair, and belted out her last few lines. Faustus had kept in the knee slide, so as the last note began to fade from her lungs, she threw herself forward into a knee slide across the floor, ending in front of Zelda’s long legs, her arms outstretched, as she had done that first time. 

She looked at Zelda and found a look in her eyes that was all her, not Roxie. Lilith’s heart leapt as she breathed, and she had to swallow as the applause from around them thundered distantly, as though she were hearing it from underwater. All that she could focus on now was Zelda. 

Her eyes were so focused, and a few tendrils of her hair had escaped from her bun while they had been performing. Lilith longed to tangle her fingers in the back of her hair and tug it free from that bun, to have it spilling into her fingers so that she could hear the sounds Zelda had made in the night once more. Zelda’s tongue flicked out to lick her lips, and Lilith thought that she could tell exactly what was going through her mind.

After a moment, the applause began to die, and Lilith realised that she had to speak, that she was Velma, not Lilith, and in front of her was not Zelda, but Roxie, who held her fate in her hands. 

“So, whaddya say?”

“Where was the part where you blew her brains out?” Zelda stood, and Lilith stared up at her. “Besides, didn’t you hear Mamma? I’m a star. Singular. Nothing personal.”

With that, Zelda exited the stage, a smirk on her face, dragging her chair behind her. 

Lilith stood, brushing down her clothes and faced the front. 

“Nothing personal? Yeah, nothing’s ever personal.”

Far more gently than before, Lilith finished the scene with the song’s reprise as she also exited the stage. 

Faustus stood as Mr. Webster and Mr. Gray clapped, and his big smile was back. 

“Didn’t I tell you they were great? Now how about we show you the big Billy numbers and the finale to round off your visit?”

“I don’t know about you, Daniel,” Mr. Gray said, “but I’d pay good money to see more of these two lovely ladies.”

“I already paid a great deal of money for the show, Dorian,” Mr. Webster replied. “But if that’s your way of congratulating them on their performances, so be it.”

He turned and beckoned Zelda and Lilith over. 

“Thank you,” Zelda said, giving both of them a smile. “We’re pleased with how the show is going. We’ll be ready for the first preview.”

“Of course you will be,” Faustus interjected. “After all, I’ve never had a show flop.”

“Well, aside from that one time in England.” Zelda began, a sweet smile on her face. A shade passed over Faustus’ face. “But we all have to start somewhere. I didn’t get to where I am overnight. It took years of hard work to get to where I am, something I think all of us know.”

“I definitely do,” Lilith added. “I’ve been paying my dues in the chorus for years.”

“Then both of you have something in common; your first hits will have been directed by me.”

Faustus’ tone was jovial, but there was a bite in it that both women recognised, something that came through when he felt threatened or stressed. They glanced at each other and neither offered a response. 

“It must be great to be directed by a man as confident as this,” Mr. Webster said after a beat. “Although your talents stand on their own, of course.”

“Yes. Well, I believe Faustus wants to show you the talents of Lucifer Morningstar next; which number first, Faustus?” Zelda, obviously intent on clearing some of the tension in the air. 

“All I care about,” Faustus replied, curling his finger in Lucifer’s direction to draw him to them. He slid up with his signature smile in place. 

“Good afternoon, gentlemen,” Lucifer began. “What do you think about our little show so far?”

“Worth the money,” Mr. Gray said. “And I’ve heard of your reputation, Morningstar.”

“All good, I hope,” Lucifer’s grin widened. 

“Naturally. But I’m a man who likes to see what he’s paying for, so let’s see your Billy Flynn.”

Lilith had to turn her head a little to the side, hiding a smirk. Lucifer wasn’t above flirting with anyone if it would get him further in life, but she had a feeling that Mr. Gray might be more than even he bargained for. 

“Whatever you desire,” Lucifer said with a smirk and a bow, before straightening up. “I’ll just get ready, shall I boss?” 

Faustus nodded at him tersely, obviously realising that he had lost control of the situation and that bringing Lucifer into it would only derail this even further. 

“Well, shall we refill our bottles then, Lilith?” Zelda asked. “Before we jump into Razzle Dazzle?”

“Good idea,” Lilith replied, even though she knew that her bottle was almost full. Her stomach twisted as Zelda’s arm brushed against hers, and then the men were excusing them and heading back to their seats. Lilith followed Zelda, and when they’d collected their bottles, they headed outside the room towards the fountain where Lilith had first met Sabrina. 

“Well, that was…” Zelda hesitated and then waved her hand dismissively. “I don’t know what that was but there was enough tension there to cut with a knife.”

“Zelda…”

“Mr. Webster is a good man and he seemed to like you. That’s a good sign. Gray is a letch, nothing like Lucifer but-”

“-Zelda,” Lilith said, catching the woman’s arm. “You’re rambling. It’s adorable but I’d really rather you broke my heart quick if you’re going to.”

“Break…” Zelda blinked, and then her lips parted. “No, Lilith, I didn’t… I don’t want to break your heart. I don’t want to hurt you at all.”

“But you can’t do this because of Sabrina, it’s not me, it’s you-”

“-That is not what I was going to say,” Zelda said, her surprise turning to frustration laced with a little anger. “Lilith, do you really think that I would…”

She broke off, looking around them and lowering her voice.

“Can we talk about this later?”

“Just tell me if you’re going to end this. My stomach is in knots over it.”

Zelda huffed and grabbed her arm, tugging her down a few steps and through the door into the bathroom. Once in there, she checked the doors, finding all stalls were empty, before turning back to Lilith. 

“Do you really think I would end it all with you after one night together, just because my niece threw a tantrum?”

“No, but you might if you panicked that this was going to get in the way of your family. I know you love them more than anything, and I would never stand in the way of that, but I just need to know what you’re thinking. You said you didn’t think you could do what we did again; what else am I supposed to think?”

“Lilith,” Zelda huffed. “I just meant I can’t spend nights away without warning.”

“You… oh.”

Lilith felt a prickle of embarrassment that she’d gotten so worked up, and the back of her neck heated up. Zelda sighed, but her lips turned up in the corners. 

“You’re quite the idiot,” she said, and there was a fondness to her expression and her tone that made warmth bloom in Lilith’s chest. “A talented one though.”

“In the bedroom or..?” Lilith smirked. 

Zelda rolled her eyes and smacked her arm. 

“I meant your performance. You were excellent. Faustus can’t find a fault with you ever again if you perform that way.”

“I don’t know,” Lilith sighed, leaning against the sinks. “I think he could find fault with me even if I were as good as you.”

Zelda studied her from under long, dark lashes, and then stepped closer. Her fingers reached out, and then her hand was sliding across Lilith’s stomach, tugging her to face her by her hip. Lilith smirked as the woman’s breath tickled her, and Zelda’s eyes glanced down to her lips. 

“You’re underestimating yourself again, Lilith. Confidence is sexy.”

“Oh is it?” Lilith leaned in a little closer, and her nose brushed Zelda’s. 

“Yes. So stop thinking you’re not good enough. Besides…” Zelda’s hand slid around to Lilith’s ass and she gave it a quick slap before pulling away, smirking. “You looked so good on your knees for me again.”

“Careful,” Lilith chuckled. “You’re being unprofessional. What would Faustus say?”

Zelda rolled her eyes, a grimace on her face. 

“That man. Claiming credit for us. It’s disgusting.”

“He’d lose his mind if he found out what was going on between us,” Lilith grinned. “I think his head will explode.”

“A tempting thought,” Zelda smiled. “We should get back in there.”

“I don’t even get a kiss?” Lilith purred. “Don’t I deserve one?”

“Someone could walk in,” Zelda remarked.

“Didn’t stop you from slapping my ass.”

Zelda rolled her eyes at Lilith’s smirk. 

“Did you not get enough to satisfy you last night and this morning?”

“No,” Lilith slipped closer, the gap between them disappearing again. “Can anyone ever have enough of someone as incredible as you?”

Zelda ducked her head, and when her eyes returned to Lilith’s they were a little darker. 

“Stop flirting with me, Lilith. We have to get back.” Her voice husked enough that there was very little seriousness or sincerity, even if she had intended it. Lilith’s smirk widened. 

“Do you ever get the urge to behave like a teenager again?”

“Go through puberty, skip school for auditions, be at the mercy of breakouts and homework and curfews? No, I can’t say it sounds appealing.”

“I meant…” Lilith deadpanned, capturing Zelda’s hand and tugging her into an empty stall. “Being unable to keep your hands off each other so slipping off to places you shouldn’t to not get caught.”

Zelda arched an eyebrow. Lilith locked the door. 

“Lilith, if you think I’ve ever done anything in a communal bathroom, you’re sorely mistaken.”

“So it’s a first for you,” Lilith purred, smirking. “Excellent.”

“You’re incorrigible.” Lilith took Zelda’s arms and lifted them to rest on her shoulders and then pressed her against the wall. “Lilith, there could be-”

“Shut up,” Lilith husked, leaning in. Her lips brushed Zelda’s, pressing a light kiss against her top lip before her tongue flicked out and wet the bottom lip. Zelda’s lips parted, and her eyelashes fluttered. Lilith nuzzled her nose against her and then kissed her slowly, dragging a soft moan from the woman as she pressed against her. Their tongues danced, and Lilith let her hands rest on Zelda’s waist and hips, before they parted for air. Zelda’s eyes were lidded. 

“Well, that was…” Zelda’s thick voice broke as Lilith tilted her head and began to kiss her neck; long, lingering kisses, some of which ended with the slightest grazing of teeth. Zelda’s breath became heavier and she slowly tangled her fingers in Lilith’s ponytail, tugging it. “Oh… Lilith, yes…”

Lilith swallowed, her nose buried against the soft crease of Zelda’s throat as it became her jaw, and she couldn’t help but let her tongue flick out and run along it. She nuzzled against her ear and lowered her voice to a teasing husk. 

“Don’t you wish I’d touch you more, Zelda? Don’t you wish I’d slide my fingers inside you and fuck you until you’ve ruined the my underwear? Knowing you’re wearing them is driving me insane. They’re right where I should be, where I should be tasting you, teasing you…”

Zelda let out a desperate whine that Lilith could feel vibrating in her throat, and it drove her feral. Her teeth captured Zelda’s earlobe and then her lips were making their way down her neck again, even as her hand gripped under her thigh. Zelda wrapped it around Lilith’s hip, her heel pressing into her ass and pressing her closer. Lilith’s hand flexed and her hips rolled, seeking to give Zelda some of the friction she craved. 

The door opened and Lilith cupped her hand over Zelda’s mouth as the woman sucked in a sharp breath of surprise. 

“Lilith, you in here?”

Agatha’s voice was so close to them, and Lilith swallowed, steadying herself. 

“Yeah, I’m almost done. They ready for me to come back?”

“Yeah, his royal dickness has finished showing off on his own and they want you and Zelda in for the courtroom. Have you seen her?”

“She went out to make a call; I’ll grab her on my way in.” 

Zelda raised her eyebrow and looked down to where Lilith was still gripping her thigh. Lilith smirked, rolling her eyes. 

“I can do it?”

“Nah it’s okay.”

“Are you good? You sound… weird.”

“I’m fine,” Lilith replied. “Just trying not to pee when you can hear me!”

“Ew. Gross Lilith. I’ll see you in there.”

The sound of footsteps and then the door opening and closing happened, and after a split second of silence, Lilith released Zelda’s mouth and lowered her thigh. She stepped back and leaned against the divide with a sigh. 

“That was close,” Zelda murmured. 

“She wouldn’t say anything to anyone,” Lilith said. “Just so you know. She’s only a gossip about people she’s not friends with.”

“Comforting,” Zelda replied dryly, fixing her clothes and eyeing Lilith. “Am I a mess?”

“Only in the very sexiest way.”

Zelda rolled her eyes and opened the toilet door. Lilith ducked out of the way and followed her out, stopping behind her. 

“Oh, you two are soooo busted.”

Agatha stood in front of them, arms crossed, a smirk on her face. 

“Shit,” Lilith muttered, stepping around Zelda. “Agatha, you can’t say anything to anyone about this, okay?”

“Say anything about what?”

“Exactly.”

“I mean, you know I expect details in return for my silence, right? I can’t believe you didn’t tell me you’re hooking up with Zelda, I mean, you’ve had a crush on her since-”

“Yes for a couple of weeks now, we all know this,” Lilith interrupted her, giving her a glare. Zelda’s hand wrapped around her arm and she glanced back. Zelda’s eyes darted between her and Agatha. 

“Agatha, I need to know that this stays between the three of us. I can’t have my life becoming gossip or tabloid fodder, do you understand?”

Agatha’s smirk softened. 

“Hey, jokes aside, this is your business. I mean, am I going to wind up Lilypad over here? Yes.” Lilith aimed a fake kick at her. “Oi! But no, really Zelda, your secret is safe.”

“Thank you, Agatha.”

“Cool. But like… details okay?”

“How about you join Lilith and I for lunch tomorrow and we tell you all about it?”

“Sweet.” Agatha winked at Lilith. “By the way, I called it. Should’ve put money on it.”

“Don’t we have to get back to rehearsal?” Lilith deadpanned. 

“Shit, yeah.” Agatha turned and as she went through the door, Zelda released Lilith, who turned to look at her. 

“I’m sorry, I know you wanted to keep things under wraps and everyone seems to be figuring it out before we’ve even-”

“Hush,” Zelda said. “We’ll discuss it later. Right now, we had better go and make sure that our investors leave wanting to see more.”

“I think they already do,” Lilith replied as she held the door for Zelda. “Particularly Gray.”

“Well, he’s always had an eye for an attractive woman, or man.”

“Yeah, Lucifer better tone down his charm or else he’ll be offending the money.”

“Lucifer strikes me as the kind of man who might stay into Gray’s territory if it would give him prestige.”

“Look at you,” Lilith smirked. “You catch on quick.”

“Well, I’m not just a pretty face with a good voice, you know?” Zelda teased. 

“No, you really aren’t.” Lilith replied. Zelda arched an eyebrow. “You’re so much more.”

Zelda rolled her eyes, but she looked vaguely pleased, and as they re-entered the studio, the smile didn’t fade from her lips. 

“There they are!” Faustus exclaimed. “We thought we’d lost you.”

“Of course not, Faustus,” Zelda exclaimed. “The two of us were just discussing the finale in preparation.”

“Well, we still have to do the courtroom scene.”

“Of course,” Zelda shot Lilith a look. “See you on the stand, Ms. Kelly.”

Lilith chuckled and Zelda headed over to Lucifer, leaving her at the side of the floor. Faustus remained and when Lilith caught his expression, she sobered her smile. 

“You know,” he said casually, in a tone that was entirely not casual. “Zelda is an excellent performer, a rare star. But every so often she forgets what is important. She gets distracted. I hope that she doesn’t forget what is important for this show. It never ends well if she does.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Lilith said. “Zelda seems entirely focused and I’ve never seen her performance slip, not even for a second.”

“I hope not.” Faustus levelled her with another look. “I hope you also have the good sense not to get distracted, Ms. Demons. I would hate for you to lose your chance when you’re… so close.”

Before Lilith could respond, Faustus turned on his heel and headed back to the investors, leaving Lilith with an unsettling feeling in her stomach that was far worse than the one that Zelda had left behind earlier. 

***

Ambrose, as the emcee, stepped forward into the centre of the stage. 

“Ladies and Gentlemen, the Chicago Theatre is proud to announce a first. The first time, anywhere there's been an act of this nature. Not only one little lady, but two!” He flourished with a flair, and stepped forward as though he were being conspiratorial with the crowd. “You've read about them in the papers and now here they are! Chicago's own killer dillers, those scintillating sinners… Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly!”

Zelda and Lilith stood at the back of the room, and as the dramatic introductory music began to fade, they began to turn towards the audience and sing. 


“You can like the life you're living, you can live the life you like, you can even marry Harry…
But mess around with Ike.” They looked at each other in sync with little smirks. “And that's good, isn't it? Grand, isn't it? Great, isn't it? Swell, isn't it? Fun, isn't it? But nothing stays…”

They stepped forward on each new line, picking a new person in the ‘audience’ to look at each time.

“In fifty years or so… It's gonna change, you know. But, oh, it's heaven… Nowadays.”

The music picked up, the currently imaginary fur coats were flung off, and both of them burst into performance. Each little bounce step, each hip shake; everything was perfect. They moved together in unison, as if they had always meant to perform together. As if they were the perfect pair. 

Ambrose’s voice rang out. 

“Okay, you babes of jazz. Let's pick up the pace. Let's make the parties longer. Let's make the skirts shorter. Let's all go to hell in a fast car and KEEP IT HOT!” 

Lilith could see Zelda out of the corner of her eye, see her performing her heart out, and it spurred her on even more. There was an energy between them, something bright and shining. As they stepped off and then returned with prop guns for their scene, their joy and amusement had even the cast, who had seen them do this multiple times by now, laughing. 

They spun around, passing the gun from one hand to another, and then circling it around their waists. When they turned to shoot up at the lights that would be in the theatre, that would change to spell out Roxie and Velma, Lilith’s heart was beating so loudly she could feel it in her ears. 

The last move, bringing the pair together after a cartwheel each, with their guns in the air, was met with applause from everyone watching. Lilith grinned hard, glancing at Zelda, who looked over her shoulder and gave her a wink. 

“Settle down, settle down,” Faustus called when the burst of applause began to slow. “Well, gentlemen, what do you think?”

Mr. Gray was all smiles. 

“Well, I think we’ve got ourselves a hit. I can’t remember the last time I saw a Velma and Roxie more suited, nor that worked so well together.”

“I would agree,” Mr. Webster said, his eyes flicking between the pair of them. “Quite the chemistry.”

Lilith’s eyes flicked to Faustus, mindful of his earlier warning but, as usual, around the investors he was all charm. 

“Well, I couldn’t very well pick someone who didn’t go well with our star, now could I?” He smiled. “Zelda shines; it’s easy to be overshadowed.”

The way he glanced at Lilith made her heart sink. She had thought that if she showed how much of herself she was putting into the role that he would back off, but it seemed that he would never be happy. 

Or at least, never believe that she was good enough. 

“I think Lilith can keep up, quite easily,” Zelda said. 

“Well, she’s definitely never lacked in stamina, that’s for sure,” Lucifer said. 

Lilith clenched her fist, her chin lifting as she swallowed, containing the rush of emotions that had flooded through her. She focused on holding back whatever might come rushing out of her; she didn’t know if she’d snap at Lucifer or Faustus or start crying. 

Whatever happened, she had clearly gone through far too many emotions in the day, and far too little sleep in the night, to cope with it all. 

Zelda on the other hand, levelled Lucifer with a look that would’ve made any man tremble. 

“Like I said, Lucifer, she can definitely keep up with me. I have never worked with anyone who did a better job without an award to their name, so mark my words, she’s going to outshine anyone who doubted her.”

Lilith blinked at her, dazed.

Zelda held Lucifer’s gaze for a minute, until Mr. Gray cleared his throat. Faustus was staring at Zelda, and only stopped when the man next to him started talking. 

“Well, now that we’ve seen some of what our money has paid for, and the stars that will keep ticket sales going for a long time, I suppose we had better let them get on.”

“Well, they’re due a break if you’ll let me walk you out. Perhaps we can talk about the project that I’m considering after Chicago is up and running?” Faustus held his arm out, directing them towards the door. 

He led the investors away, both offering goodbyes to the cast. Mr. Webster lingered on his goodbye to Zelda, offering her a fond smile, and then they were gone. Lilith let out a breath and walked over to her bag without a second glance at Lucifer. She grabbed her bottle and took a large swig. Zelda caught up with her as she put the bottle down. 

“Are you alright?”

“No.”

“I’m going for a cigarette break; would you like to join me?”

“Yes. Please.”

Zelda grabbed her coat and her cigarette pack and lighter, and Lilith followed her out, shoving her arms into her jacket. 

There was no sign of Faustus or the other men outside and Lilith followed Zelda into the alley where they had been only the day before. So much had happened since then, and Lilith’s brain was reeling. 
Zelda lit a cigarette and leaned against the wall, inhaling and then sending smoke into the cold air. She eyed Lilith. 

“I’m sorry about Lucifer.”

Lilith scowled and leaned against the wall too, her hands stuffed in the pockets of her jacket. 

“He’s a pig. But it’s not just him.”

“Do…” Zelda hesitated. “Do you want to talk about it?”

“I want a fucking cigarette.”

“You quit.”

“So did you.”

“You did it properly.”

“I had one the other day and it didn’t kill me.”

“I feel like a bad influence.” Zelda took out the cigarette packet. “But I won’t deny you what you’re craving.”

Lilith glanced at her and gave her a small smile. 

“If I was feeling myself I’d make a comment.”

“Then you really aren’t alright.” Zelda slipped the packet back in her pocket when Lilith made no move to take one. “Tell me, if it wasn’t Lucifer, what-”

“Faustus. He doesn’t believe in me, he doesn’t think I can do this. Say what you want about him but the man is one of the most well known, well respected directors of our generation and if he doesn’t think I can do this, why-”

Lilith cut herself off when a sob escaped her and she realised she was crying. A tear rolled down her cheek and she wiped it away angrily. Zelda shifted and then her thumb was running over Lilith’s cheek, her fingers tilting up her chin. The smell of cigarette smoke and something uniquely Zelda invaded her senses. 

“You’re talented, Lilith. I meant what I said in there.”

“You were just being nice. Standing up for me because you know that Lucifer… that he-” Lilith swallowed back more tears angrily. “Fuck. Fuck, Zelda, I hate feeling worthless. More than anything.”

“You’re not worthless,” Zelda said. “Don’t talk like that.”

“I don’t know how much more of his crap I can take.”

“Which one?”

“Both of them.”

“Lilith.” Zelda gripped her chin and held her gaze firm. “I have had just about enough of this. You’re incredible and you know you are. Don’t let two assholes who wish they had the talent that you have destroy your confidence. They’re blind if they can’t see that you’re a rare talent. Fuck them; show them what you’re made of every time they question you, like you did today.”

Lilith swallowed, and then reached out and gripped Zelda’s hips, tugging her close. 

“That was… sort of soft, Zelda Spellman.” Zelda scoffed and opened her mouth, probably to make a sarcastic comment. “Thank you. And, just so you know, you’re very sexy like this.”

“Like what?”

“All fired up. Passionate.”

“Well…” Zelda wiped some of the stray wetness from her face. “I hate to see talent doubt itself.”

“Is that all?”

“No,” she replied after a moment of hesitation. “I hate to see you sad.”

Lilith leaned in and captured her lips, kissing her hard. Zelda’s fingers tangled in her jacket collar, and she hummed into the kiss. When they parted, she pressed a peck to Lilith’s lips one more time and then smiled.

“I’m not as sad anymore,” Lilith smiled. 

“Well, I’m happy to be a cure for what ails you,” Zelda chuckled. She stepped back, releasing Lilith slightly and then took another puff from her cigarette. Lilith reached out and took the cigarette, putting it to her lips and inhaling, before handing it back as she blew out the smoke. “I know that I shouldn’t encourage such a filthy habit, but you look sexy doing that.”

“Well,” Lilith smirked. “Next time we spend the night together, I’ll do it naked.”
Zelda’s eyes trailed over her. 

“Next time that we’re naked together, you won’t have time to smoke.”

Chapter 17: Broadway Rag

Summary:

One week until previews, and the company of 'Chicago' are about to get a little more than they had bargained for.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

SCANDAL ON BROADWAY

THE UPCOMING REVIVAL OF THE HIT MUSICAL ‘CHICAGO’ IS SET TO GO TO PREVIEWS IN JUST ONE WEEK AND SO FAR THERE HAS BEEN VERY LITTLE GOSSIP GLEANED FROM BEHIND THE SCENES. BUT WITH A CAST AND CREW AS WELL KNOWN AS THIS, WE HERE AT THE BROADWAY RAG KNEW WE’D HAVE A STORY FOR ALL YOU MUSICAL LOVERS BEFORE CURTAIN UP. 

SOME OF YOU MAY HAVE HEARD THAT MARY WARDWELL, SET TO PLAY ‘VELMA KELLY’ IN THE MUSICAL, HAD TO PULL OUT DUE TO A CAR ACCIDENT FOR WHICH SHE IS IN REGULAR PHYSIOTHERAPY. BUT, IN THE GRAND BROADWAY TRADITION, CHORUS GIRL AND UNDERSTUDY LILITH DEMONS WAS WAITING IN THE WINGS TO STEP INTO VELMA’S HEELS. 

IT SEEMS HOWEVER THAT THE VETERAN CHORUS GIRL MAY NOT HAVE GOTTEN HER ROLE ENTIRELY BASED ON HER MANY YEARS OF EXPERIENCE. WHILE SPECULATION HAS BEEN RIFE ABOUT THE QUALIFICATIONS OF THE UNKNOWN PERFORMER, INCLUDING ONE PARTICULARLY SCANDALOUS SUGGESTION THAT SHE HAD SLEPT WITH A PRODUCER FOR THE ROLE, THIS REPORTER HAS LEARNED THAT THE TRUTH IS FAR MORE SCANDALOUS. 

STAY TUNED FOR OUR NEXT UPDATE, WHEN WE REVEAL ALL THE JUICY DETAILS!

 

 

Lilith stared at the screen, her mouth open. 

What the fuck?

Above the text there was a picture, taken from her instagram, of her winking into the camera, wearing her Velma wig and black opening number dress. The caption read ‘Sneak preview of Velma, coming to a stage on Broadway near you’. 

“Lilith? Are you listening to me?”

The voice of her agent, coming through faintly on the phone that she’d dropped on the bed, had her scrabbling to pick it up. 

“Sorry, I… what the fuck?”

“Is there something that you haven’t told me?”

“Excuse me?”

“Well, honey, I know the press like to sensationalise and the Rag is some of the worst for it, but if something is about to come out that I need to know about in order to manage it… or stop it?”

“I didn’t sleep with a producer!”

“No, you’ve always made it clear you want roles fair and square, only, it seems they are suggesting something… worse?”

“I didn’t… I don’t know what…” Lilith sighed. “There is only one thing that I can think of and if it’s that then… then I need to make some calls.”

“Care to fill me in?”

“Not until I’ve made some calls.”

“Lilith, you’re one of my favourite clients, mostly because you’re the least problematic.”

“Only because no one knew who I was.”

“Regardless,” her agent replied, irritable at having been cut off. “If you’re about to become one of those people I have to have regular talks with about how to keep your private life private, I would like to remind you that you have yet to actually make an impact in the world and people have had their careers ruined before they’ve even started with minor hiccups, let alone a big scandal. I’d hate to see that happen to you.”

“Thanks for the vote of confidence.”

Lilith stared at the article for several more minutes after she’d hung up, chewing on her lip. 

Odds were Zelda had already seen the website; there was no way her manager or her agent hadn’t already picked up on potential drama close to her. Had she admitted that she and Lilith were… whatever they were?
Scratching her scalp as she shifted her hair from her face, Lilith groaned. 

How had this even happened? They had been careful… relatively so. Had anyone seen them?

Was this even about her and Zelda? Lilith couldn’t think what else it could possibly be, but perhaps this was all some tabloid fodder? A rumour made to sell visits to the site, to increase revenue… 

Lilith almost dropped her phone as it started to buzz in her hand.

“Shit.” Zelda’s name lit up the screen and Lilith swiped to answer immediately. “Zelda, hey, I-”

“You’ve seen the article I presume?” Zelda’s voice was the chillier side of cool and she sounded dangerously calm. It was unsettling. 

“Yes, my agent just-”

“Is there something that you want to tell me? Anything that this could possibly be about other than… us?”

Lilith sighed.

“Maybe it’s just some made up rumour. Maybe they’ve dug up something about… I don’t know.” She searched her mind and grimaced when a possibility surfaced. “Lucifer and I… maybe.”

There was a pause and then a faint sigh on the other end of the line. 

“Lilith, I’m sorry,” Zelda said, her voice less frosty than before. “I hope that isn’t the case, but I think the more likely scenario is-”

“That they know about us, I know.” Lilith rubbed her face. “I’m so sorry, I don’t know how they could have found out.”

“I think that’s pretty clear, Lilith.” Zelda’s tone was terse again, controlled, bridled anger. “Or has there been more than one person in the cast who has discovered us in a bathroom together?”

Lilith stilled. 

“Wait… you think that Agatha…?”

“Who else?” Zelda continued. “You don’t really think that my sister would share this? No one else knew.”

“Well someone must have. We went on a date. We kissed in a car on the street. Anyone could have-”

“She’s your friend, so I understand why this might be difficult for you, but-”

“No, you don’t understand,” Lilith glared at the wall. “Agatha wouldn’t do this. I told you, she doesn’t gossip about-”

“-Maybe she had one too many drinks last night and slipped up. Lilith, she’s the only one who-”

“No.”

“Your friendship is blinding you!” Zelda snapped. 

“Or I just believe in innocent until proven guilty?!” Lilith stood up. “You can’t just go around accusing people without evidence.”

“Lilith she’s the only one who knew; I’m not-”

“You’re scared because you don’t want anyone knowing you like women! That you like… me.” Lilith deflated at the end, partly with the realisation that she feared Zelda’s agreement, and partly because she thought she shouldn’t have said that at all. 

Deathly silence echoed on the other end of the line. 

“Excuse me?”

“Zelda, what I meant was-”

“Oh I think you made it perfectly clear what you meant. You think I’m scared of people finding out I like women? That it’ll ruin my career if every man in the audience knows he doesn’t have a chance with me? I told you I didn’t care about people knowing who I like, I said-”

“You’re blaming my friend without any evidence, without even talking to her. I shouldn’t have said-”

“My lawyer will be the one talking to her Lilith. You can be sure of that.”

“Zelda…” Lilith’s nails were digging into the bed covers, bunching them in her hand. “Is this really the worst thing in the world? I mean… I know we haven’t discussed what we are but surely this isn’t worth-”

“I can handle this how I see fit,” Zelda replied. “If that article comes out and there is anything about me in it, you can be damn sure I’ll deal with this. What I don’t understand is why you are more angry at me than about the article. It’s your name they’re throwing around, insinuating that-”

“Zelda, like it or not, this industry has a rumour mill that runs every hour of every day. I’m not about to go accusing my friends without evidence and I sure as hell don’t care if anyone knows I’m gay. But you know what, I am angry that they’re doing this, that they’re insinuating and treating me as gossip. You wouldn’t know though, because you didn’t even ask me how I am; you just jumped straight into accusing my friend. If you’re so concerned what people think of you, perhaps you shouldn’t have lunch with me today. Wouldn’t want anyone thinking you like me, or anything. The chorus girl too; what a cliche!”

“That’s not what I…” Zelda cleared her throat. “I didn’t mean that, and you know it.”

“Oh, do I?” Lilith scoffed. 

“I told you, my life is private for a reason, Lilith. And they-”

“Well it’s not your life they’re focused on right now, is it? They implied I slept my way to the top, Zelda. But no, all you’re concerned about is hiding away everything but that public mask you wear so well.”

“Lilith, I-” Zelda sounded upset, her voice breaking, and Lilith couldn’t bear it. It hurt.

“I have to go. I have to call my manager.”

She didn’t wait for a response; Lilith hung up the phone and tossed it on the covers. 

Something hot and wet slid down the side of her nose and she raised her hand to brush away the intruding tear. Fuck no. She was not going to cry over this. She was too old to cry over a fight. 

Still, as she hurried to take a shower, Lilith knew that a few of the droplets on her face weren’t from the spray above. 

She called her manager while she was getting dressed. 

“There’s only one thing that they could say that would create more buzz for them than me sleeping with a producer.”

“Did you sleep with a producer?”

“No.”

“Good. So what?”

“I’ve been… seeing a coworker. It’s possible we weren’t as discreet as we hoped.”

There was a pause.

“Is it Morningstar?”

“No,” Lilith replied, disgust turning her stomach. 

“Because I remember you telling me a while back-”

“It’s not Lucifer.”

“Then give me a hint.”

“Do I have to tell you? If the article isn’t about us, then I don’t want to have told anyone without their permission.”

“If the article is about them then knowing who would be a big help in managing this situation. At least that way I could talk to their manager, talk strategy…”

“I know, I know,” Lilith groaned. “When did they say it would come out?”

“Lunch time.”

“So we still have a few hours. Could you ask for a preview?”

“Like I didn’t try that already? They’re holding onto that thing like it’s the last ticket to see Barbara play Funny Girl.”

“Barbara hasn’t played Funny Girl for-”

“You know what I mean.”

“Listen, if they’ve found out about us, I don’t care but they do. It could be bad.”

“Lilith, you might not care but if they paint you as a stage whore, a climber, then it will follow you around for the rest of your career.”

“Firstly, I didn’t sleep with anyone for this role; I got it before we even spoke to each other. Secondly, I don’t care what people think. I will show them that I deserve the role. I’m going to kick ass and then they can all eat their words.”

“Well, as much as I want to say ‘that’s my girl’, I have a feeling that you’re in for a world of difficulty here. Especially if your partner isn’t on the same page as you. If they don’t want people knowing, they could deny it, they could say that you were interested but they didn’t want anything-”

“Yes, I know.” Lilith interrupted. “I don’t think they would though. I doubt they want to even respond.”

Her phone showed that she had three missed calls from Zelda while she had been in the shower. She hadn’t asked for the article to be written and she was sure Agatha wouldn’t have shared their secret. 

So who?

If they had been lucky enough to avoid the eyes of a stranger in the know on their date, and when they’d been in the car, when else had they been close enough to give credit to a rumour? 

Had someone seen them subtly touching at a lunch? Surely that kind of evidence wouldn't be enough for a story? 

“Look, I’ll do some more digging. Just get to rehearsal and for fucks sake, don’t have a public scene with whoever it is. In fact, don’t even have a private one. Clearly someone is paying close attention to you. You’re never actually alone.”

“Fine.” Lilith replied shortly. “I have to go.”

***

Zelda tried Lilith’s phone one last time, sitting in her car a few streets from rehearsal. She should have listened to her sister and took some time before she’d called initially, but there had been an urgency in the situation; they needed to talk before rehearsal. 

It hadn’t helped that Sabrina had been such a handful that morning, fraying Zelda’s patience so that by the time her manager had called to give her the head’s up about the article, she’d been ready to throw something. 

She’d been looking forward to escaping to rehearsal, seeing Lilith again…. The woman had taken over Zelda’s mind with surprising ease. Her bright eyes, her sly smile; Zelda always looked forward to bringing that out in her. And worse, when her manager had called, Zelda had been allowing herself to imagine what would happen if she succumbed to Lilith’s teenager-like behaviour and stole away to some private place again. Stole away and allowed Lilith’s hands to roam further; for her to take Zelda’s hard and fast with the urgency that came from the possibility of being caught in public. 

The call had been a bucket of ice water, poured straight over her fantasy-filled head. Her first thought, when her manager called to warn her that her co-star was becoming ‘gossip central online’, was that Lucifer had finally pissed off the wrong woman. But as her agent had sent her the link asking her how well she knew ‘the Demons woman’, her blood had begun to race through her heart so quickly that she could hear the beating in her ears. 

What were they saying about Lilith? What could they possibly have on her? Nothing, surely? Those bottom-feeders at the Rag had probably scrounged up something from her past, bored of having nothing but good things to comment on about their show. It was the week before previews, perfect timing to drop a bombshell…

Zelda’s inner monologue had stuttered to a halt when she read the article. 

Oh. Oh no. 

Now, sitting in her car, Zelda checked her makeup. If she’d shed a tear in the car on her drive into the city, there was no evidence of it. She couldn’t, wouldn’t, create suspicion; everyone would be staring at Lilith, wondering what the article was about. Waiting for the next one. 

Zelda pressed a hand over the ache in her chest. 

This was all her fault. She should have been more cautious; if she hadn’t been so weak for Lilith, she could have saved her from the rumour mill. If she’d insisted that they took it slow… But even though they were probably about to be exposed, Zelda couldn’t regret it. Couldn’t regret them. 

Lilith was… she was the first person to make Zelda’s heart rate pick up since Marie. She was the main reason that Zelda looked forward to rehearsals now, which had never happened before. She’d never been so distracted, and she didn’t even care. If anything, their relationship just spurred them both on to perform better, bigger…

And now, everyone would want to know about them. 

If Zelda wasn’t famous, if she had lived the life of a teacher, or a librarian, or anything that involved a nine to five job, she would have wanted to shout from the rooftops that someone like Lilith had decided to spend time with her. But the idea of being hounded for details, of the phone ringing off the hook and gossip columns rifling through her bins again…

The last time she had gained a bit of gossip attention, the fake rumour of her dating a bigshot film director that she’d greeted on a red carpet one time, Hilda had been followed home from the supermarket. Hounded by questions, by photographers, and all with Sabrina strapped to her chest, just two years old. The paparazzi had been all over her, and Hilda had almost taken a fall on their niece. 

Zelda couldn’t bear to see the way that Hilda had looked at her that day, ever again. Give the media an inch and they would take a mile. 

Clearing her throat and preparing her usual ‘public face’, Zelda climbed out of the car and collected her bag before heading down the street. 

There were photographers outside the doors and she internally grimaced at the prospect of being unable to have her usual quiet cigarette before rehearsal. When they spotted her, flashes began as they clammered to get close to her; surrounding her. 

“Zelda, do you know about the rumours surrounding your co-star?”

“What’s your reaction to the rumour about her sleeping with a producer for the role?”

“Do you two get on in rehearsals? Have there been any cat fights?”

Zelda knew the drill; she kept moving with her sunglasses over her eyes, never letting them stop her. With the door to the building within reach, she grasped the handle, yanking it open and hurrying inside where they could not follow. 

***

Lilith kept her head down, walking down the block with her leather jacket on and her earphones in. She paused around the corner and peaked down the street; she’d already had texts from people in the show asking what was going on and saying there were paps outside the building. Everyone wanted to know what was going on and Lilith wished she could reply, but she knew if she did, she’d open the dialogue, and they didn’t know what the article actually said yet. 

They didn’t know how much people knew. 

There were at least eight paparazzi outside the entrance to the studios, and Lilith sucked in her breath. 

Fuck, okay. 

She straightened, taking a deep breath and letting it puff out. She couldn’t let them see they’d gotten to her. 

‘Act like it’s not important enough to warrant a response’. That’s what her manager had texted her while she was leaving the flat. Well, it was important. It was important because Lilith’s chest hadn’t stopped aching since she’d been on the phone with Zelda. 

Chewing on her lip, Lilith rested her back against the wall, steadying herself. This was part of life as a celebrity, and she had been thrust into a higher profile with Velma. It hadn’t come as a surprise that there was interest, but this had blown up quicker than she’d expected. Lilith had thought the most notice that she would get would be after opening night, when everyone had seen and judged her work. 

Glancing around the corner again, she steeled herself. No point in waiting. 

She readjusted her bag, held her head high and stepped around the corner.

They didn’t notice her until she was half way towards them and then they turned, running at her and surrounding her. Flashes made her blink, but she stared resolutely at the door, aiming for it. Her earphones drowned them out, for the most part. Lilith’s heart thundered in her chest. 

One of them got in her face with his camera, halting her progress. She raised her hand between them, blocking his shot of her face, and tried to press on. There was no way through and she felt panic gripping her chest. 

A hand grabbed hers and pulled her through the crowd. She held on for dear life as an arm wrapped around her back and hurried her inside. 

“Thank you,” she gasped as the door shut behind them, blocking out the photographers. She looked at her rescuer. Kenny Kosgrove, their Amos in the show, was saying something. Lilith dragged her earphones out of her ears. “Sorry, what?”

He smiled, sympathetically. 

“I asked if you were alright?”

“Oh, yes, I’m fine. Thanks. You uh, really saved my ass.”

He chuckled lightly. They’d not spoken much; most of his scenes were with Zelda and they only really crossed paths in the courtroom scene at the end, but he’d always seemed a quiet, kind man. Now, she was grateful that he apparently was also kind of fearless. 

“Anyone would have done the same; those animals were all over you.”

Lilith smiled at him, stuffing her earphones into her pocket. 

“Seriously, Kenny… do you prefer Ken?”

“Actually I prefer Kenny, but a lot of people call me Cee.”

“Cee?”

“I played Doctor Cerberus, or Dr Cee, on a hospital drama for ten years in my twenties. Those kind of things stick with you.”

“Hey, I haven’t had a role big enough to stick with me before this,” Lilith shrugged. “But Kenny it is.”

“Come on, we’d better get inside. Faustus is bound to be in a bad mood with… all of this going on.”

Lilith winced apologetically. 

“Yeah, sorry if I made getting into work harder this morning.”

“I don’t mind; it’s not every day I get to play the hero.” He chuckled. “I’m always the best friend, or the comic relief.”

“You’re great as Amos,” Lilith offered. “Mr. Cellophane always used to bore me but you have this… quality about you. Honestly.”

“Well, thank you very much.” Kenny grinned as they walked up the stairs. “I’m honoured.”

They walked through the doors moments later, and Lilith felt every eye in the room turn on her. 

“Well, look who it is,” Faustus said, and his tone was a little too smug, as though he had been proven right for all those times he’d said she couldn’t hack it. “Our very own media sensation.”

Notes:

Honestly I was on holiday and then ill so it's been so long since I updated. I'm so glad I could finally write something, right before I return to work. Hope you enjoy; let me know!

Chapter 18: Scandalous Update

Summary:

Well, this is what you've been waiting for... an update on the Broadway Rag.

Chapter Text

Lilith felt frozen; Faustus’ expression shifting dread and disgust through her blood. 

“I already know that I plucked you from obscurity,” Faustus continued with a drawl that echoed in the silent room. “So the rumours about you sleeping with someone to get the part are completely baseless. Unless, of course, there’s a night that I don’t remember?”

Lilith’s mouth felt dry, but she swallowed roughly against the lump in her throat before speaking. 

“I can assure you that there is no basis for any rumours you might have heard, Faustus. At least, nothing that might be more scandalous than sleeping with a producer for a part.”
She felt the joke fall flat, even though some of the cast did chuckle under their breath.

“Really? I suppose we’ll all be the judges of that, won’t we? When it all comes out. I suppose you have no idea what it might be?”

Lilith’s eyes flicked around the room, automatically searching for Zelda, before she dragged them forcefully back to his face. 

“Like I said, Faustus. I’ve done nothing that could be deemed as scandalous as the Rag implies.”

The quiet of the room felt heavy, although the attention of the cast had shifted from Lilith to Faustus, waiting for his response. 

He seemed to debate his next words, pursing his lips, before he stepped closer and leaned as though to offer a conspiratorial word. His voice, however, remained the same volume; projecting to everyone. 

“If this ends badly for the show, you’ll have a very hard time getting a role with any other performances for a long time. Perhaps the rest of your life. I hope you’ve thought about that before doing anything you shouldn’t.”

Lilith stared at him, and refused to duck her head until he had looked away. When he did, it was because someone else had walked in behind them, and was standing there, waiting. 

“So, Lil’ Demon… causing trouble already?”

Lilith went rigid as Lucifer’s breath ghosted over her ear, and she was suddenly overwhelmed by a feeling of claustrophobia. She jerked forward, away from him, and turned to glare at him. 

“Lucifer.”

“Lilith. Interesting post from the Rag today; did you catch it?”

“We were discussing just that,” Faustus said. “And it has already taken up enough of the time that was so precious in our last week. Get on with your warm up. I want everyone ready on time to start. Some of us still have so far to go.”

Lucifer winked at Lilith and stepped past her and Kenny, who was shooting a sympathetic look at her. Faustus cleared his throat, raising his eyebrow, clearly moving her on. 

Lilith turned, kept her head high, and stalked over to the side, dropping her bag. Her eyes burned. The lump in her throat had grown. She would not cry. She would not cry. 

I won’t cry. 

The volume in the room slowly picked up, whispered conversations and sideways looks that she ignored pressing on the edge of Lilith’s awareness. She focused on getting her heeled boots onto her feet. She focused on stretching. She did not focus on the overwhelming urge to run to a bathroom and cry. 

“Hey,” Agatha’s voice whispered, and she slid into the spot next to Lilith. “Are you okay?”

“Do I look okay?” Lilith hissed under her breath. 

“No and you’re normally better at holding it together.” Agatha tried for a light tone. “What’s happened, other than the obvious?”

“Other than someone probably leaking a story about me and…” Lilith bit down on her tongue, looking at Agatha with a meaningful glance. “What else could it be?”

“Well,” she murmured. “I don’t know. It was the thing that came to mind when I saw the story.”

“I thought we’d been discreet.”

“I mean, not that discreet. Pretty much everyone knows you have a bit of a thing for her. But I don’t think anyone knows that the feeling is mutual.”

“Someone clearly does.”

“Wait…” Agatha searched Lilith’s bitter expression. “You don’t think… that I…?”

“No,” Lilith muttered. “I don’t think that.”

Agatha studied Lilith’s face. 

“But?”

“But what?”

“There’s something you’re not telling me.”

“I can’t talk about this right now.”

Agatha glanced around, and seemed to realise that there were people nearby straining to hear their hushed conversation. 

“Right. Later. At lunch.”

“Fine.”

Lilith swallowed down the feeling that was pressing at her throat and stood up. 

“I’m going to go to the bathroom before we start.”

“Do you want me to come with you?”

“No, I’m good, thanks.”

And then, as she was heading for the door, Lilith finally caught a glimpse of Zelda. Her jaw was tight, her eyes focused on Lilith and flicking to Agatha, and as Lilith caught her expression, Zelda swallowed. 

Lilith dragged her eyes away from her and pushed through the door. 

Outside the rehearsal room, the air felt lighter; fresher. Lilith strode quickly across to the bathroom, pushing through the door and finding it empty; the stall doors opened. She sighed in relief and sagged against the sinks, pressing her hands into the surface and looking down at the bowl. 

A smudge of something black, probably mascara, tainted the pure white shine of the bowl, and Lilith’s eyes fixed on it. 

What had she done to deserve this? She worked so hard, and she wasn’t good enough for Faustus, she could still be so affected by Lucifer, and Zelda… Zelda had turned the moment that there was trouble on the horizon. It was bad enough that they had had to have the conversation that they had had that morning, but what was worse is that Lilith hadn’t seen it coming. 

For all the walls she’d put up, Zelda had slipped under them without resistance, almost immediately, and Lilith had been left defenceless. 

Tears pricked at her eyes and she inhaled sharply, jerking her head up to look at the mirrors, catching her own expression. 

“Don’t you fucking dare.”

She glared at herself, until the tears dried and her breathing had returned to normal. Then she sniffed and stood straight, smoothing down her top. She didn’t think about how she wished Zelda had come to check on her; she headed back into the rehearsal space as if nothing had happened. 

Zelda’s eyes, filled with worry, stared at her from the other side of the room and Lilith found herself swallowing before yanking her own eyes away. She wasn’t sure if she was still angry that Zelda had accused Agatha without evidence, if it was the idea that Zelda was keeping her as a dirty little secret, or if she felt more guilt for hanging up on her instead of continuing the conversation and reaching some sort of agreement. Now, the air between them was filled with a different kind of tension, and Lilith felt off kilter. 

She’d been orbiting Zelda for the last couple of weeks without realising and now she had been thrown off her path. 

“We’re doing a whole runthrough before lunch, and then another after lunch. No stopping unless something major comes up.”

Faustus’ voice rang through the room, jolting Lilith out of her thoughts. She took a sip of water and then headed to her starting point. By the time she was in place, looking out at Faustus, she had her very own mask in place. 

***

“Wait,” Agatha said, abandoning her salad box on the table and leaning in to Lilith, peering at the screen of her phone. “You think Lucifer might have…?”

“I don’t know,” Lilith sighed, refreshing the screen again, waiting for the teased article to be published. “I never thought I’d see the day when I’d be happy if people knew that Lucifer and I slept together, but it would be preferable to what I think it actually is. It would be better for… everything.”

“‘Everything’ being that you’re in a fight with your girlfriend because she thinks she’s about to be exposed as a vagitarian?”

Lilith shot Agatha a look. 

“‘Everything’ being that she is scared that her whole life is about to get a spotlight pointed at it and she thinks that it was you who told these assholes.”

Agatha blinked. 

“I’m sorry, what?”

“As far as we know, you’re the only one who knows, and-”

“As far as we know? I thought you didn’t think it was me?”

“I don’t!” Lilith hissed back, glancing at the door and then sliding her hand out to comfort her friend. “But you’re the one one that we know that knows about us.”

“I kind of guessed before I busted you though; someone else could’ve figured it out. I know you’re kind of oblivious to it but you’re both so damn obvious. I mean, she wore your clothes to rehearsal.”

“Lots of people shop from those stores. There’s no way that-”

“Not Spellman. She’s got a specific style and you might’ve gotten away with the leggings but I’d know that top anywhere.”

“You did not bust us because of a top.”

“No, I busted you because unfortunately I know what you look like when you’ve had really good sex.”

“You do not know-”

“Oh, I do. I remember your face the morning after you and that cute red-head from Anything Goes hooked up. Wait… you have a type.”

“I do not have a type. And I was going to say you don’t know how good it was.”

Agatha smirked. 

“Oh yeah?”

“God yes.”

“Is that what you were saying all night?”

“Shut the fuck up.”

“What? I’m curious. You’re not normally this much of a melted puddle for a woman.”

“A melted puddle would just be a puddle. That doesn’t make any sense.”

“I’m not here to make sense. I’m here to get details and get your mind off this shit. Is it working?”

“Well it was until you reminded me.”

Lilith looked down at her phone and refreshed it again. No update. 

“Fuck.”

“Nothing?”

“No.”

“Well shit, they’re really edging us, aren’t they?”

“Edging us? I’m the one waiting to see if my life is going to blow up.”

“Well you did just tell me that Spellman is convinced I leaked the information, so I can’t imagine my life is pretty safe right now either.”

“I’ll talk to her.”

“Are you sure about that? Because you two seem to be avoiding each other, which I imagine is why we’re eating salad bowls in here rather than having lunch with her as planned.”

Lilith glanced around the small practice room that they’d commandeered after Agatha had been to fetch the bowls; Lilith had not been able to leave with the photographers waiting outside. Zelda, on the other hand, had left as soon as lunch break had been announced, and Lilith had lost the opportunity to catch her. 

“I mean, we have to talk at some point, right?” She replied, running her hand through her hair and then starting to drag it up into a ponytail. 

“I mean, sure. Unless she completely closes off and…” Agatha trailed off. “Sorry, not helpful.”

“No, not really.” Lilith sighed, wrapping her hands around the edge of the table and laying her forehead on the surface. “But it’s not like that hadn’t crossed my mind.”

“Do you want me to go and find her? Tell her you’re here?”

“No, because I doubt she wants to risk talking to me before all this comes out in case someone sees.”

“Better someone sees you talking beforehand than any conversation you try to have afterwards being under a lot of scrutiny.”

Lilith groaned. 

“I suppose.”

“I’ll go find her. Just stay here and try not to look like you’re facing a firing squad when she gets here.”

“I hate you.”

“You love me.”

“You’re my best friend,” Lilith sighed, sitting back and looking at her. “I can do both.”

Agatha’s lips parted.

“I think that’s the first time you’ve ever said that.”

“What?”

“That I’m your best friend.”

“Well don’t go getting soft on me,” Lilith grumbled, shifting awkwardly. 

“You loooooooove me,” Agatha grinned, launching herself at Lilith and embracing her with a tight hug. 

“Get off me,” Lilith rolled her eyes, barely containing a smile. “Idiot.”

“Yeah yeah, after I find your girlfriend, I’m going to go get us friendship bracelets. Wait no, matching shirts. Ooooh, I know-”

Lilith shoved her. 

“Get out of here you weirdo.”

Agatha left, shooting a grin over her shoulder at Lilith. 

Lilith sighed, getting up to move her muscles so they didn’t seize up. Her manager had told her not to have a public, or private, scene with Zelda, but that didn’t mean they could talk, did it? 

***

Zelda strode back into the rehearsal room, her fingers itching for a cigarette. She had managed to get lunch, but she felt antzy being outside for too long, as if the photographers would realise that she was part of the story and come after her. 

So she had returned, and it wasn’t until she had fought her way through the crowd of paparazzi that she realised that she hadn’t had her lunchtime smoke. 

Dropping her bag, Zelda drummed her fingers against her hips, staring out of the window and wishing that everything that had happened today had gone differently. 

“Back early, Zelda?”

Faustus’ voice made her jump, and Zelda turned, finding him closer than she’d expected. 

“Faustus… So are you, it seems.”

“I never left. The perils of being Captain of the ship.”

“A thankless job I’m sure.”

“You seem agitated, Zelda. Is something on your mind?”

“Just the paparazzi blocking my way inside. The way they latch onto any rumour as a way to sell trips to their sites these days… it was never this bad in England.”

“No,” Faustus replied, leaning next to her. “But we had our fair share of scandal.”

“True.” Zelda sighed, her fingers tapping again. 

“Craving a cigarette?”

She glanced at him. 

“How do you know?”

“Zelda, we used to spend all our time together. I’ve known you for a long time; I recognise the signs.”

“I didn’t relish the idea of fighting through the crowd to the alley.”

“There’s a fire escape with a little balcony out there; why don’t you go and smoke on there?”

Zelda released a sigh of relief and for the first time in a while, felt less than frosty towards the man. 

“That sounds perfect. Where is it?”

“Go upstairs and to the end of the corridor. Can’t miss it.” Faustus smiled at her. “I could join you if you want company?”

“Not right now,” Zelda said, reaching out and putting her hand on his arm briefly. “But thank you. And I’ll remember for the next time and you can join me?”

“Sounds good,” he replied. As she walked away with a smile and went to collect her cigarettes from her bag, he called after her. “And don’t go telling anyone about it. I’ve managed to keep it secret until now so I have a place to escape when you’re all driving me up the wall.”

Zelda shot him an amused look, even threw him a polite laugh, and then headed out to the stairs. 

A few minutes later she was pushing out into the chilled air, finding a small balcony with a railing overlooking the alleyway. From where she was, she could see the paparazzi, and she paused, hoping that none of them would have noticed her coming out. 

They all remained busy looking bored, clearly waiting for Lilith again. She hoped that she was okay. 

Lighting her cigarette, Zelda leaned against the balcony and looked down at the empty space below. How had so much gone wrong in such a short amount of time? It was only a day since she’d woken up in Lilith’s bed, since they’d been unable to keep their hands off of each other and now… 

Her eyes welled, and she sucked in a breath, blinking potential tears away. This was a spectacular fuck up. She had at least thought that she might make it more than a day before she fucked up this badly…

Zelda twisted, stepping down onto the steps and then sitting on the balcony, pulling her coat close. The cold metal bit into her ass. 

Lilith had barely been able to look at her earlier. She had already managed to push her away, and if they didn’t fix this before the article came out, who knew what could happen? Better they faced it together than divided… is that what her agent would say? Or her sister? 

Zelda scoffed and took a drag from the cigarette, sending smoke into the cold air. 

No, her sister would say that she shouldn’t have argued with Lilith in the first place, that she was using this as an excuse to push the woman away because she’d gotten under her skin, past her barriers, so fast that it had left Zelda breathless. Hilda would tell her that she was being a fool, because she was risking letting go of the one person outside of her family that had made her happy in so long… 

Wiping her tears away, irritated that she’d allowed them to flow, Zelda took another drag on her cigarette. 

So she had to fix this. Lilith was upset because she’d not asked her how she was feeling, and more so because she had blamed her friend. A friend, now she’d calmed down, who Zelda knew wouldn’t betray Lilith, even if she didn’t care about Zelda. She remembered the way that Agatha had promised that if she hurt Lilith, she would be dealing with her. There was no way that that woman had betrayed her friend. 

But then who? 

Zelda’s phone pinged and she pulled it out of her pocket, hoping to see Lilith’s name on the screen. Instead, it was her manager. A link, with a text above it that read: 

Call me the minute you get this. 

Swallowing, her heart racing even though she’d forgotten how to breathe, Zelda clicked on the link. 

SCANDAL ON BROADWAY: UPDATE

IN OUR LAST UPDATE, WE PROMISED YOU A JUICY SCANDAL AND BOY, CAN WE DELIVER. 

SO WHAT GOT LILITH DEMONS, VETERAN CHORUS GIRL, OUT OF THE BACK AND INTO THE SPOTLIGHT? WELL, APPARENTLY MS DEMONS HAS NO QUALMS ABOUT SEDUCING HER WAY INTO A ROLE, BUT IT MIGHT NOT BE FROM THE AVENUE THAT YOU’D EXPECT. 

INSTEAD OF A PRODUCER, OR RENOWNED DIRECTOR FAUSTUS BLACKWOOD, DEMONS SET HER SIGHTS ON BRITISH ROSE ZELDA SPELLMAN IN ORDER TO BECOME HER CO-STAR.

DON’T BELIEVE US? CHECK OUT THESE JUICY PICTURES, SENT BY AN ANONYMOUS SOURCE OF THE TWO DOING THEIR OWN HOT HONEY RAG OUTSIDE OF THEIR REHEARSAL SPACE. 


Below were two shots of Zelda and Lilith in the alleyway; one where Lilith was smirking at Zelda, and another where she had her pressed against the wall, kissing her. It was from two days ago, before they had slept together. Zelda’s chest felt tight. Fuck. Fuck…

DEMONS OBVIOUSLY TOOK VELMA’S ‘I CAN’T DO IT ALONE’ TO HEART AND FOUND A WAY TO GAIN FAVOUR WITH THE ‘HART’ OF THE SHOW. WHAT REMAINS TO BE SEEN IS, WHAT WILL HAPPEN NOW THAT HER SECRET IS OUT? WE CAN’T IMAGINE THE BRITISH BITCH WILL BE TOO HAPPY TO FIND OUT SHE’S BEEN PLAYED THE FOOL, SO THIS REPORTER IS EXPECTING FIREWORKS IN THIS SHOW BEFORE PREVIEWS NEXT WEEK. 

WILL THE SHOW GO ON? YOUR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS OURS. ONE THIS IS CERTAIN, THIS CAST ARE GOING TO NEED EVERY BIT OF RAZZLE DAZZLE THEY HAVE TO PRETEND THINGS ARE SHIP SHAPE FOR INVESTORS AS THE SHOW REACHES ITS CURTAIN CALL. 

THE BROADWAY RAG HAS REACHED OUT TO BOTH ACTRESSES FOR COMMENT BUT HAVE NOT RECIEVED ONE AT THIS TIME. 
STAY TUNED FOR MORE UPDATES ON THIS LATEST SCANDAL. 

Chapter 19: The Revelation

Summary:

In which you find out who leaked the story, Zelda finds out something about Lilith that she was not expecting and they talk.

Notes:

Happy Bonfire Night; I hope you enjoy the fireworks ;)

I'm trying to update a story every Saturday now. I can't promise it'll happen but I'm trying. This means that there's a rotation with fics so each story will be sort of slow to update but there'll be regular updates for those who read everything I do. (And thank you to you all for reading!) Hope you enjoy!

Chapter Text

Swallowing through the lump in her throat, Zelda tried to focus on breathing. In through the nose, out through the mouth, in through the nose, out through the mouth… 

 

She scrolled back up to the pictures. How could someone take photos of them, in an intimate moment, and get the story so wrong? As if she’d even have the power to get Lilith the job if Faustus didn’t think she was up for it? And how dare they continue the narrative that Lilith would have to sleep with someone to get this part? They didn’t even know her. 

 

She zoomed in on the photo, angled from above. Lilith’s features were slightly fuzzy, as if the photo had been taken by a phone, but the desire was still clear on her face. In her eyes. If they had caught her face in the picture, she would have looked the same, she was sure. 

 

How could they think that she had been tricked by Lilith? How could they think that they didn’t want each other equally? Zelda knew the subtle undertone of the media; it suggested that she was a lonely woman who could be tricked with just a little desire, a little attention. So undesirable, desperate and alone that the first time someone approached her, she would fold and throw all of her integrity out of the window. 

 

It made her sick. Who the fuck would feed them this shit? 

 

She zoomed out and glanced around, shifting the phone to re-capture the angle. Fucking paparazzi, climbing the gate to catch them… Zelda paused, glancing from her phone to the alley. 

 

Standing, she dropped the rest of her cigarette on the balcony and stubbed it out with a little more force than necessary. With a last glance down at the paparazzi outside the alleyway, she wrenched the door open and headed back inside. 

 

Her rage fuelled her steps down the corridor, down the stairs. People who were in her way scurried out of the way, parting like the red sea. 

 

“Zelda!” Agatha’s voice caught her as she reached the floor where their studio was. “I was looking for you. Lilith-”

 

Zelda stopped at the name. 

 

“Is she okay?”

 

“I mean, she’s waiting for the story to break, but she wants to see you-”

 

“The story broke a few minutes ago,” Zelda said. “And right now I’m on my way to deal with it.”

 

“Uhm… okay don’t you think you ought to speak to her about it? She told me that you thought… that you think I did this.”

 

“I know you didn’t do it,” Zelda said. “And I’m sorry to have ever thought that. But right now, I have to go and murder the person who did.”

 

“Wait, you know who-”

 

“Yes. And they definitely have this coming.”

 

Zelda turned on her heel and marched towards the rehearsal studio. Agatha spun around and sprinted down the corridor to fetch Lilith. 

 

The door slammed into the wall and bounced away with protesting hinges as Zelda stormed into the room. Her heels clicked on the wood and then she stopped in her tracks, everyone staring at her, as she spotted him. 

 

“You.” She strode forward. “You snivelling, rotten excuse of a man!” 

 

“Excuse me?” Lucifer looked stunned, a deer in headlights. “What did I-”

 

Zelda stormed past him, ignoring his surprise, until she was nose to nose with Faustus. 

 

“What were you thinking? Who gave you the right?”

 

“I think you should calm down, Zelda,” he said, arching an eyebrow and shooting everyone else in the room a thin smile as if to placate them. “You’re quite hysterical.”

 

“I know it was you, Faustus. I know.”

 

“Zelda, whatever you think I did, I can assure you-”

 

“The thing is, I wouldn’t have known. If you hadn’t told me about that balcony, it could have been anyone. Don’t you dare have the audacity to lie to my face.”

 

“What’s going on?”

 

Lilith’s voice trembled subtly from behind Zelda, and it only served to make her anger pulse harder. 

 

“Faustus was just about to explain why he leaked photos of us to the Rag and told them that you seduced me to get Velma. I’m sure it’s going to be an excellent explanation.”

 

Faustus held her gaze, his face a mask, until he let out a single huff of laughter and stepped back, sliding his hand into his pocket. 

 

“All publicity is good publicity,” he shrugged. “And besides, this was all thanks to you, Zelda. Getting the media attention was all your idea.”

 

“What are you talking about?”

“I remember, after Mary was injured, how you championed her. Telling me how the media would love the angle, how the award shows would eat up the idea of me plucking her from obscurity. It was clever, rather more sneaky than I ever expected from you, but I knew what you were doing. And now everyone knows why you were so determined that she should be your co-star. Rather less of a scandal for you than you fucking a chorus girl, eh Zelda?” 

 

Zelda didn’t realise that she’d lifted her hand to slap him until he caught her around the wrist, smirking. 

 

“Now, now, Zelda. Don’t let your emotions get control of you. People might think you actually like her..”

 

Zelda became suddenly aware that outside of the sound of blood pumping in her ear, and each of her furious breaths, you could hear a pin drop in the room. Her eyes flicked to the side and she found everyone staring at her. Her eyes felt wet.

 

She swallowed and tugged her arm, trying to free herself from Faustus’ tight grip on her wrist. 

 

“Let go of me, Faustus.”

 

“I’m holding you for my own protection, Zelda,” he said, his smile creeping across his face as though he was getting some sick pleasure from this. “You might try to hit me again.”

 

Zelda yanked her arm away from him and pulled away, stepping back. 

 

“You,” she hissed, stabbing her finger in his direction, “will be hearing from my lawyer.”

 

“Go ahead,” Faustus said. “I look forward to what he has to say about your attempted assault. I have plenty of witnesses.”

 

“Go to hell, Faustus.”

 

Zelda turned on her heel, coming face to face with Lilith. Her eyes were wide and she swallowed, stepping aside. Zelda hesitated and then continued on her route; towards the door and out of it, where she inhaled sharply in an attempt to shift the weight on her chest. Panic was filling her and she picked up her pace, the bathroom in her sights. 

 

Footsteps echoed behind her.

 

Crashing through the door, Zelda stopped her trajectory half way into the room, her hand flying up to cover her mouth as a sob ripped from it. She had lost her temper, her perfectly constructed mask abandoned on the fire escape where she’d realised who had betrayed them. Anger, dread, frustration; emotions flooded her chest until she couldn’t tell one from the other. 

 

“Zelda…” 

 

Lilith’s voice behind her made Zelda jump and her heart hammered against her chest, flooding her ears with a rushing sound, constricting her airways until she felt like she couldn’t breathe…

 

Lilith appeared in front of her, and through watery eyes, Zelda realised she was saying something. She couldn’t hear properly, Lilith’s face was swimming, oh god she couldn’t breathe…

 

Lilith’s concerned face morphed into something focused and she moved to Zelda’s side. Her hand slid over Zelda’s back and began to rub in circles. Her voice, distant as though Zelda were underwater, slid closer. 

 

“Breathe Zelda,” she said gently. “Breathe in deep for me.”

 

Zelda tried, but she couldn’t get enough in; her airways were constricted. She’d had this before, panic attacks, but not for years, not since…

 

Sweat clung to her skin, snot dripping from her nose and Zelda tried to hide herself from Lilith, but the woman’s other hand came to rest on her diaphragm. 

 

“Here, Zelda. Breathe into here, like when you’re singing. I’m here.”


“Can’t,” Zelda managed to choke out. 

 

“Yes you can. Trust me.”

 

The circles, a steady rhythm, that Lilith’s hands were rubbing into Zelda’s back, were making her skin warm. She tried to focus on that, on the hand going round and round, slowly, comfortingly. Zelda dragged in a breath and immediately choked on it. Lilith’s thumb rubbed over her diaphragm, and it was just another thing for Zelda to sag into, to feel warmth from. 

 

She shifted, dropping her hand from where it still was on her face. Lilith’s head ducked to keep eye contact with her, and Zelda gave her a weak smile as she let out the next breath. 

 

“This is… pathetic.”

 

“No,” Lilith murmured, her hand never faltering in her circles. “It’s not. You were incredible in there.”

 

“I meant… now.”

 

“I know what you meant.”

 

Lilith leaned in and kissed the side of Zelda’s head; the other woman barely felt it through her hair but she still felt the feeling in her chest dissipating, slowly. She focused on her breathing, timing it with Lilith’s hand on her back, and although it took time, what felt like hours, the pressure on her chest had faded enough that it was manageable. She sagged in relief, leaning on Lilith, her head falling into the crook of her neck. Suddenly, she felt exhausted. 

 

Drained.

 

Lilith began murmuring something, but Zelda’s eyes were closed and for some reason that had affected her hearing, because she couldn’t work out what the sounds meant. 

 

Her face felt wet, disgusting, and she sniffed. The sound made her curl her lip, grimacing, and pull away from Lilith. She didn’t want to get anything on the other woman. 

 

“Sorry,” she muttered, heading to one of the cubicles to collect some toilet paper. 

 

“You have nothing to be sorry for.”

 

“Yes, I do.”

 

Zelda blew her nose, and it wasn’t dainty or pretty, and she grimaced again. Flushing the evidence away, she wiped her hands under her eyes and then turned to face Lilith again, who was leaning against the sink, waiting patiently. 

 

“Are you okay now?”

 

“Not particularly.”

 

“I mean,” she said gently, standing straight and reaching out for Zelda, capturing her hand and tugging her close. “Is your panic attack over?”

 

“Yes. Thank you. How did you… how did you know how to help?”

 

“I’m no stranger to these things, Zelda.” 

 

Lilith reached up and pushed a strand of Zelda’s hair back and around the curve of her ear. Zelda closed her eyes momentarily at her touch, but when she opened them she spotted her reflection in the mirror. The third grimace in as many minutes had her pulling away from Lilith and turning the faucet, cupping her hands to wash her face. She reached for paper towels, patted her face dry and then stared. 

 

“I look like a disaster.”

 

“You’re not a disaster,” Lilith said. “You had a panic attack. You just found out that someone you’ve known for years betrayed you. It’s only natural that-”

 

“He did it for revenge, you know?” Zelda gripped the edge of the sinks, staring at her reflection in the mirror. “I know him. He saw us together and he thought I’d rejected him for you. Maybe he really did think that I tricked him into hiring you permanently because we were together. I don’t know. But he did this because he knows why I keep my life private. It’s more than a betrayal, it’s… it’s…”

 

Zelda couldn’t find a word that matched her feelings for what Faustus had done correctly. Instead, she cursed and threw the balled up paper towel in her hand at the mirror. 

 

“He’s a pig. A jealous one at that.” Lilith’s fingers strayed gently up the skin of Zelda’s arm, comforting her. “But are you surprised? His behaviour hasn’t exactly been…”

 

She trailed off, eyes widening just as Zelda’s met hers in the same state. 

 

“He knew.” Zelda hissed. “That’s why he’s been so awful to you. It was that day; that was when he started targeting you far more than everyone else.”

 

“Because he saw me getting what he couldn’t have.”

 

“It’s a good thing that gun is only a prop or I’d…”

 

“No, you wouldn’t.” Lilith let a smile twitch her lips, despite the circumstances. Watching Zelda all fired up, no matter how much it hurt that she had to be because of the situation, was something that filled her with an odd sense of pride and warmth. “You did try and slap him in front of a room full of people though.”

 

“Please,” Zelda scoffed. “Given the circumstances, I doubt my lawyer will find that a challenge to dismiss.”

 

“You’re serious about your lawyer?”

 

“Of course I’m serious,” Zelda snapped, looking at her incredulously. “He had them print outrageous things about you and unflattering things about me. He snooped into our private lives and put them into the spotlight. I’ll sue him.”

 

“What good will that do?”

 

“It’ll hurt him.”

 

“I’m pretty sure Faustus Blackwood has plenty of money.”

 

“Good. Deep pockets for me to empty.”

 

“Zelda…”

 

“What?” Zelda snapped, more out of exhaustion than anything else. She softened at the look on Lilith’s face. “What, Lilith?”

 

“Maybe you ought to discuss this with your manager, your agent, before you-”

 

“Damn,” Zelda interrupted her. “I forgot.”

 

That text message, telling her to call immediately after seeing the article. No doubt her manager was pacing, concerned at how long it had taken her to respond. Zelda glanced around, searching for her phone and saw it on the floor. She must have dropped it when she was panicking and not even noticed. 

 

Lilith caught sight of it and leant down, picking it up and handing it to her. 

 

“Here.”

 

“Thank you,” Zelda replied distractedly. “I have to call her.”

 

“I can give you space, if you-”

 

“No,” Zelda sighed. “You’d better stay. Besides, our teams are probably already talking to each other, trying to figure out this mess.”

 

“Maybe it’s not such a bad thing,” Lilith said, as Zelda pressed dial. The red-head looked at her, eyebrow frowning. 

 

“What?”

 

“Well,” Lilith replied. “I don’t mind everyone knowing that we’re together, as long as we can set the record straight as to why. Do you?”

 

Zelda didn’t get a chance to answer, because the question made her falter, and by the time she’d opened her mouth to reply, her manager had picked up. 

 

“Zelda! I’ve been worried. Tell me you haven’t done something stupid?”

 

Zelda kept her eyes on Lilith as she replied. 

 

“I’m not sure.” She took a breath through her nose, staving off the panic in her chest that was clawing to be released again. “But I know who leaked the story, and I want to destroy him.”

 

***

 

Hilda returned to the table and pressed a cup of tea into Zelda’s hand. 

 

“There, that’ll help.”

 

“Tea is hardly the solution I need, Hilda.”

 

“Well, it would seem to me that you’ve done everything that you can do by giving the details to your team. You can’t do anything yourself and-”

 

“Do you remember the last time that I was the centre of a lot of media attention? What that put you through, with Sabrina, I… I swore I’d never allow it to happen again but it has.”

 

“I am yet to be hounded in the streets,” Hilda chuckled. 

 

“The news only broke today. Give it time. Everyone will be asking you about your scheming sister who fucked a chorus girl and then got her promoted.”

 

“That’s not the angle the press took.”

 

“No,” Zelda sniffed, wiping an escaping tear away. “They painted me as a victim. Poor, lonely, closeted Zelda.”

 

“You’re not closeted. Not to the people who matter.”

 

“Lilith isn’t closeted. I’m… complicated.”

 

Hilda hummed. 

 

“How is Lilith dealing with all of this?”

 

Zelda sighed and picked up her cup, taking a sip of tea that was really too hot to drink yet. It made her mouth burn dry and she swallowed with a grimace. 

“Far better than I am.” When Hilda sipped her tea, peering at Zelda as though she was expecting more, Zelda sighed again, purposefully lowering her shoulders which felt like they were at ear height. “Hilda… they’re throwing accusations at her life, at her, and she spent most of the day making sure that I was okay. I don’t understand why.”

 

“Because she cares about you, that’s why.”

 

“I don’t understand why she cares about me. I’ve been… I haven’t exactly been the nicest person to her, or the most supportive, or understanding…”

 

“Well, then I suggest you change that.” Hilda said. “She deserves to see the best of you Zelda. I think she might be a keeper.”

 

Zelda swallowed and looked up at her sister. 

 

“She said that she didn’t mind other people knowing about us, as long as we could set the record straight. She asked… if I minded.”

 

“What did you say?”

 

“I didn’t. I didn’t answer because then Circe picked up and-”

 

“And you avoided the question because you’re scared.”

 

Zelda didn’t answer because there was no point in simply confirming that she was correct. 

 

“I feel different around her. But it’s all so new and already we have these obstacles cropping up. Faustus found out about us and did this, the media are going after her the way they used to go after me and I can’t help but wonder… is it worth it?”

 

Hilda clucked her tongue and reached for the plate of biscuits, stealing one and pushing the plate towards Zelda, who had barely managed to eat her dinner with the way her stomach had been churning. She had tried to act normal around Sabrina, but the little girl had snuggled into her at bed time as though she knew that Zelda wasn’t okay. 

 

“She makes you happy, doesn’t she?”

 

“Yes, but-”

 

“But nothing. Zelda, do you understand how important it is to find someone that makes you happy? Especially when you have a life as complicated as yours? I wish I…” Hilda trailed off and took a bite of her biscuit. The silence was broken by only by the crunching sound until she swallowed. “I love my life and I wouldn’t give it up for the world, but sometimes it can get lonely. If I had the opportunity for love, I would take it. Especially when that person fits so well into your life.”

 

“For now. When we are no longer doing the same show, she-”

 

“And when will that be? Months? Maybe even a year? You don’t know when you’ll move on from this show and neither does she. What good will it do to avoid being happy now for the chance that it might get harder in the future?”

 

“Perhaps you’re right,” Zelda murmured, tracing her fingers around the rim of her cup before raising it to her lips. 

 

“There’s no perhaps about it.”

 

“You know,” Zelda commented, taking a sip of her tea. “As the eldest sister, I am supposed to be the wise one.”

 

“Then maybe you can stop letting stupidity get in the way of your happiness, and probably the most sensible choice you’ve made in years.”

 

“I beg your pardon?” Zelda blinked. “What about this is sensible?”

 

Hilda chuckled, rolling her eyes and taking another biscuit. 

 

“There’s nothing sensible about love.”

 

“Or about you when you get romantic notions in your head. It’s too soon for love, Hildie.”

 

“Not with the way you were looking at her in the diner it isn’t.”

 

“Eat your biscuit.”

 

“Oh I will.” Hilda’s satisfied grin made her face beam, and Zelda felt her heart warm, even if outwardly she sent her sister a withering glance. 

 

“So childish.”

 

“You’re just sore that I’m right.”

 

“You have no evidence that you are correct,” Zelda sniffed.

 

Her phone buzzed on the table and she glanced down, finding a text from Circe confirming a time for a meeting the next morning, before rehearsal. The warm feeling in her chest chilled. 

 

“What is it?” Hilda asked, leaning in. 

 

“We’re meeting tomorrow morning to go over a plan of action. Circe, Gryla and Lilith’s people will be there too.”

 

“Gryla’s going to be livid,” Hilda said. She had always been intimidated by Zelda’s agent; less so by Circe, her manager. 

 

“She is.”

 

“Lilith will be there?”

 

“Yes, I imagine so.”

 

“Do you think maybe you should check in with her, before the meeting?”

 

Zelda shot Hilda a wry smile. 

 

“Still match making?”

 

“No,” Hilda replied, but her tone gave her away. “I just think you should check in on her, since you said she spent most of the day worried about you.”

 

“She said she was working tonight.” Zelda sipped her tea again. “A job that she booked before getting Velma. That’s why we haven’t managed to meet with our people tonight. She practically ran out of rehearsal.”

 

“Then maybe a text to say you hope it’s going well?”

 

“I don’t need your help with dating, Hildie,” Zelda said, rolling her eyes. She kept her tone soft, unwilling to hurt her sister accidentally again. 

 

“I don’t know… the cupcakes seem to have worked, don’t they?”

 

Hilda had far too smug of a smile on her face and Zelda narrowed her eyes. 

 

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d think you wanted me out of the house more. Trying to get Sabrina’s cuddles all to yourself?”

 

“Oh god no,” Hilda chuckled. “After the meltdown she had the other day, I hope you never go on a date again. They shall have to be here, chaperoned.”

 

Zelda almost choked on her tea. 

 

Later, when they had retired to bed, Zelda sat in her bed with her knees drawn up to her chest, regarding her phone. She had already typed several messages to Lilith, and each had made her wince more than the last. When had she become so awkward? 

 

Chewing on her lip, Zelda typed out another message. 

 

Hello. I wanted to see how you are after today. 

 

She erased it immediately.. 

 

Would you like a lift to the meeting tomorrow?

 

No, that wouldn’t do. She couldn’t send a message without a greeting, or at least without checking in on her, could she? 

 

Three dots appeared in their chat and Zelda’s heart leapt into her throat. 

 

You know I can see you agonising, right? What’s wrong?

 

Zelda stared down at the message as it popped up, her heart racing. Lilith knew she was agonising over what to say, how to say it. How long had she been watching Zelda’s own indecisive dots appear and reappear?  

 

Taking a deep breath, Zelda typed out a message and hit send before she could overthink it again. 

 

How are you?

 

That is a complicated question. Or rather, a simple question with a complicated answer. 

 

Zelda flexed her feet, shifting on the bed before replying. 

 

Do you want to talk about it? Before the meeting tomorrow?

 

Resting her head against the headboard, Zelda sighed. In just a few weeks, Lilith had gone from a stranger to someone who meant something to her. She wasn’t sure how to categorise their relationship; it was so new and yet everything seemed to have progressed so quickly. Now, with publicity bearing down on them like a freight train, Zelda wasn’t sure if something so new could withstand the pressure. But she liked Lilith, a lot, and the idea of giving that up didn’t seem like something even worth considering. 

 

Her phone vibrated and she glanced down. 

 

I’m on a break before my next act if you want to call?

 

Call??? Zelda sat up straighter, dropping her legs to the side. Never a fan of phone calls, the thrill of anxiety burst through her chest. But she had initiated the idea of talking and she could hardly back out now just because she disliked the form that it took.  

 

If you’re sure. 

 

Zelda watched for the three dots that meant that Lilith was replying, but they didn’t come. Instead, Lilith’s name lit up the screen, and with her heart in her mouth, Zelda slid her finger across the screen to accept the call. 

 

“Lilith… hello.”

 

A burst of laughter came through the phone and then the sound of a door closing. 

 

“Hi, sorry. I’m here.”

 

“Who was that?” Zelda asked hesitantly. 

 

“That was the sound of the gutter-minded girls that I’m sharing the stage with this evening.”

 

“Oh? What show are you doing?”

 

“Uhm…” Zelda heard Lilith click her tongue. “I’m dancing.”

 

“Dancing.” Zelda replied. 

 

“Yes.” Lilith paused and when Zelda didn’t move on, she sighed. “Burlesque, Zelda. I’m doing burlesque.”

 

“Oh.” Zelda leaned back against the headboard again, a little smirk tweaking her lips. “And you were trying to hide it from me?”

 

“Not… necessarily. I just didn’t know how you’d react.”

 

“Well, I admit to being intrigued.”

 

“Oh?” The smirk in Lilith’s voice was obvious. “Will you be requesting a private show?”

 

“Perhaps,” Zelda blushed, biting her lip. “But we should probably talk about tomorrow.”

 

“What did you want to talk about?”

 

Zelda paused. What did she want to discuss? She should have thought about something specific before calling. Now her mind was blank. Well, aside from the one thing that she really didn’t want to admit. 

 

“I…” She gritted her teeth and then sighed, letting her shoulders sag. “I don’t know the answer to your question.”

 

“Well, you must have wanted to talk about something if you asked to talk?”

 

“No, I mean yes. But I meant I don’t know the answer to your earlier question. About whether I mind everyone knowing that we are… what we are.”

 

“And what is that?” Lilith replied. “What are we?”

 

“I… I don’t know, Lilith.” Zelda sighed, rubbing thumb and forefinger over the bridge of her nose. “I didn’t expect to have to label this so quickly.”

 

Do you want to know what I think?”

 

“Yes,” Zelda took a breath of relief. “Please.”

 

“Okay.” Lilith sounded nervous, but then she cleared her throat and her voice came steady and calm. “I want to date you, properly. I want to kiss you freely, take you on dates in public, and have you all to myself in private. I want to have you back in my bed because I can’t stop thinking about how you felt and sounded and looked and when you’re ready I want to officially meet your family as your girlfriend because I don’t want this to be some passing fling. And if there’s any chance that you want that too, I want us to just be honest tomorrow and tell them we’re dating, that it’s new and it had nothing to do with the show, but that we’re grateful that it gave us the chance to meet because now we can explore this. If all of that is too much for you, Zelda, then I understand, but I also need you to decide because I’m putting my heart on the line here and I’ve had enough shit to last me a lifetime, so… if you could avoid giving me false hope I would appreciate it.”

 

Zelda swallowed thickly against the lump in her throat, her heart pounding against her chest as a tear escaped from the corner of her eye. Still, she couldn’t help the bright, too wide smile creeping across her face. 

 

“Lilith? What are you doing tomorrow night?”

 

“No official plans, why?”

 

“Would you like to come for dinner? At my house?” Zelda closed her eyes. “With my family?”

 

There was silence on the other end of the phone and then soft laughter. 

 

“Yes, Zelda, I would love to.”

 

“Good. That’s… that’s good.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

“Well your speech wasn’t poetry but it was rather moving, nevertheless.”

 

“Oh, I’m sorry,” Lilith chuckled sarcastically. “I’ll do my best to improve my poetry skills.”

 

“No, don’t.” Zelda bit her lip. “You’re perfect the way you are.”

 

Stunned silence greeted her and then there came the sound of Lilith clearing her throat. 

 

“Well… I guess… thank you?”

 

“You know, you ought to get better at accepting compliments.”

 

“Oh, because you’re so great at that yourself.”

 

“I have my moments.”

 

“Sure,” Lilith laughed. “So are you… my girlfriend now?”

 

“I don’t know, Lilith,” Zelda smirked. “Is that you asking me?”

 

“No,” Lilith said, her smile blatantly obvious in her tone. “I’d rather do that in person.”

 

“Oh? And why is that?”

 

“So that then I get to kiss you when you say yes.”

 

Zelda rolled her eyes. 

 

“And who said I’m going to say yes?” Lilith chuckled and then Zelda’s phone beeped. She glanced at the screen and saw Lilith was requesting a video call. “Lilith, I’m a mess.”

 

“Oh please, you’ve never looked a mess in your life.”

 

Rolling her eyes, running her fingers through her hair and glancing in the mirror across the room, Zelda accepted the call. 

 

Lilith’s face appeared, and Zelda’s breath caught. Large dark eyelashes, blue eyes and red lips stared at her with a smirk, her hair in waves around her angular face. 

 

“I was right. You’re beautiful.”

 

Zelda blushed. 

 

“Is that all you wanted to see me for?”

 

“No. Are you going to say yes? When I ask you to be my girlfriend?” 

 

Zelda smiled. 

 

“Isn’t part of it not knowing what my answer will be? Why should I tell you first?”

 

“Because if you do I’ll show you what I’m wearing,” Lilith winked. 

 

Zelda’s eyebrow arched. 

 

“Oh? Does it involve more or less clothing than you’ll be wearing during Chicago?”

 

“Less.”

 

“Hmm,” Zelda bit her lip, looking down as though it would give her a better view. “Well… I suppose my answer will be a positive one, when you do ask.”

 

Lilith smirked. 

 

“Are you just saying that so you can get a good look?”

 

“You won’t know until you ask me properly.”

 

Lilith laughed. 

 

“Alright, alright, I get it.” She moved and lowered the phone, setting it down on something.

 

 Zelda’s eyes fixed on the view as Lilith remained bent over to adjust the phone, giving her a straight shot at her breasts in a dark green, velvet robe. Then, happy with her positioning, Lilith moved backward until Zelda could see all of her. 

 

“That’s rather more covered up than I was expecting, although I did enjoy the sneak preview.”

“Shush,” Lilith laughed, her hands sliding to the belt. “So impatient.”

 

Zelda shifted, sitting up straighter as Lilith slid the belt loose slowly, smirking at the camera. She parted it, giving a sneak preview of bare stomach and a matching set of lingerie complete with stockings and suspender belt. Black lace with green flourishes that matched the robe clung to Lilith’s frame as she let the robe fall behind her. She did a slow turn, giving Zelda a full view. 

 

“What do you think?” 

 

Zelda’s mouth was dry and she had to wet her lips and swallow before she could say anything at all. Lilith’s dark red smirk grew. 

 

“You look… Lilith…” Zelda watched as Lilith leaned back against the wall, running her hands over herself with a wicked grin. “Tease.”

 

“Oh, a tease am I? That wouldn’t have anything to do with you wanting to remove these with your teeth would it?”

 

Zelda narrowed her eyes, pressing her thighs together as she slid further into her pillows. 

 

“No, I think I’d keep you in them.”

 

“Oh really?” Lilith bit her lip. “Why?”

 

Zelda’s heart fluttered. Was Lilith expecting her to talk dirty? Well, she wasn’t one to back down from a challenge. 

 

“You look so good, Lilith. So perfect.” Zelda bit her lip and leaned closer to the camera, lowering her voice. “I’d want to just slide your underwear aside and take you like that until I’d made a mess of you.”

 

Lilith visibly swallowed and then fingers traced over the edge of her underwear. 

 

“You know… if I wasn’t on stage soon, I’d give you a real show.”

 

“Oh?” Zelda’s voice came through breathily. “And how would you do that?”

 

“Is there any chance you’re going to be waiting at my place when I get home?”

 

“No,” Zelda replied, shifting in bed again. 

 

“Then I’m just going to leave it to your imagination.” Lilith smirked and removed her hands, stepping forward to pick up the phone. “But just so you know, if you were waiting for me at home, I’d give you whatever show you wanted.”

 

Zelda groaned. 

 

“I already have requests.”

 

“Oh?” Lilith bit her lip; white teeth pressing into red. 

“I want to watch you sink down onto me like you used to do in the Cell Block Tango.”

 

Lilith smiled. 

 

“When you mentioned that at the restaurant I didn’t realise it had affected you that much.”

 

“Thinking about it now, it does. Now that we’re… now that we’ve been together.”

 

“What else?”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“What else turns you on? I want to know.”

 

“Don’t you have a stage to be on?”

 

Lilith narrowed her eyes and smiled. 

 

“Yes. Give me one for the road so I can think about it while I’m on stage.”

 

“You haven’t really got much to take off.”

 

“I don’t need to for this number.”

 

“I’m oddly pleased to hear that.”

 

“Jealous?”

 

“That other people get to see you like this? A little.”

 

“No one gets to see me like you do, Zelda,” Lilith purred. “No one else can touch me either.”

 

The dry lump in Zelda’s throat grew bigger and she cleared her throat, heat rushing through her cheeks. 

 

“The suit.” She choked out. “I spent all night distracted, thinking about sliding my hand under the lapels and touching you. When I did, it made me so wet. If we hadn’t been interrupted I’d probably have ruined the trousers.”

 

Lilith’s eyes were dark as she wet her lips. 

 

“Next time I wear it, maybe I’ll be packing, just for you.”

 

Zelda’s brows furrowed. 

 

“You’ll be what?”

 

“Packing,” Lilith chuckled, breaking the heated moment. “It’s when a woman wears a strap-on under her clothes, just in case.”

 

“Oh. Oh .” Zelda bit her lip again, pressing her thighs together as an image of her sliding down onto Lilith, taking her inside her and riding her hard, slid into her mind. “Fuck.”

 

“Mmm,” Lilith smirked, as though she knew exactly what Zelda was thinking. “I have to go. Think about that some more, won’t you?”

 

“Lilith-”

 

“And if you touch yourself…” Lilith trailed off, as though she wasn’t sure whether she should continue. 

 

“Tell me,” Zelda moaned quietly, her fingers already sliding towards the apex of her thighs, 

 

Lilith’s eyes were lidded, her lips parted as she watched the way Zelda was flushed; her chest rising and falling in the dim light. 

 

“Record it? I want to listen when I touch myself tonight.”

 

“Fuck, Lilith…” Zelda let her eyes float closed for a moment, overwhelmed with desire. “When do you finish?”

 

“Hopefully in time with you,” Lilith replied, winking when Zelda opened her eyes to roll them. “In about half an hour.”

 

Zelda glanced at the clock. 

 

“How long until you’re home after that?”

 

“Twenty minutes. Fifteen if I hurry.” A smirk curled Lilith’s lips. “Are you planning on waiting for me?”

 

“I can try.” 

 

Hammering burst through Lilith’s microphone and she looked over to another point in the room. 

 

“I’m coming!” Grabbing her robe and pulling it on, Lilith shot an apologetic glance at the camera. “Sorry, I have to go. I’ll message you when I’m almost home and if you’re still awake and want to talk-”

 

“Just go,” Zelda chuckled. “Now.”

 

“Bye,” Lilith smirked, blowing a kiss at the phone. “Don’t have too much fun without me.”

 

“Bye,” Zelda murmured, just before the screen went dark. 

 

Letting out a breath, Zelda dropped her phone on the bed and rolled over, letting out a muffled and frustrated groan into her pillow. 

 

Well that had not turned out how she’d expected at all. Frankly, she was glad. 

 

Now all she had to do was be patient.

Chapter 20: Phone Call

Summary:

Lilith calls. Zelda answers.

Notes:

Just a short chapter this time, but I wanted to preserve this moment of their relationship without interruption, and besides, I'm in essay hell so writing is hard. Hopefully this will keep you fed until I am free again. <3

Chapter Text

The gentle buzzing of her phone was enough to stir Zelda from the light doze she’d fallen into. Shifting, she reached for the light of the screen, half buried in her covers, and pulled it towards her. 

Still awake?

Smiling, Zelda tapped to reply. 

Were you expecting me to fall asleep after our conversation?

She shifted to a seating position, biting her lip as she felt the wetness between her legs that had kept her awake for almost an hour.  

Well, I am late. But I’m close to my apartment.

I’m glad to hear that you are close.

Are you? ;)

Zelda chuckled and bit her lip, rolling onto her stomach. Then she stopped, realising that she was acting like a school girl texting their crush. The embarrassment sent a little anxiety through her as her thumbs hovered over the screen, wondering what to reply. 

The screen lit up while she was still deliberating, and after a second of hesitation, Zelda swiped her finger across, accepting the call. 

“Hello.”

“Hi,” Lilith said and her voice was filled with a smile again. “Sorry to keep you waiting.”

“That’s quite alright.”

“Oh is it?” Lilith chuckled. “You slept, didn’t you?”

“No,” Zelda scoffed. “I might have closed my eyes, but I didn’t sleep.”

“Of course not,” Lilith laughed. “That’s why your voice sounds all husky.”

“That would likely have something to do with a certain someone making a mess of me tonight.”

“Oh?” Smugness coloured her tone. “How much of a mess?”

Zelda bit her lip, her hips rocking slightly into the mattress. 

“I’d have to assess the full extent of the damage carefully.”

“Zelda Spellman, are you telling me that you haven’t touched yourself at all?”

“I resisted.”

“I have an uncontrollable urge to call you a good girl.”

Zelda sucked in a breath. 

“I’m not sure how I feel about that.”

“No?” Lilith’s smirk was so obvious in her voice and Zelda heard a door open and close in the background. “I am good at restraint, if you really don’t like it.”

Now that sent Zelda’s mind spinning. The idea of Lilith tying her up sent a jolt of desire through her, and it pooled into warmth low in her belly. The idea of Lilith tied up made her bite her lip. In fact, Zelda was still busy imagining the woman, all coiled desire and desperately moaning under her, unable to move, when she realised that Lilith was calling her name. 

“I’m sorry, what did you say?”

“Are you distracted, Zelda?”

“Perhaps.”

“Were you touching yourself?”

“No,” Zelda groaned. “I was thinking.”

“Thinking about what?”

“Thinking about you.”

“I’m right here.”

“I was thinking about you and restraints.”

There was a heavy pause and then Zelda heard Lilith release a breath. 

“Fuck.”

“Indeed.”

“Tell me what you were thinking about. In detail.”

Zelda could hear Lilith shifting in the background of the call and she chewed on her lip. 

“What are you doing?”

“I just sat on my couch.”

“What are you wearing?”

“Jeans, a sweater; nothing particularly sexy I’m afraid.”

“Unbutton your jeans.” 

There was a pause and then a slow inhale. 

“And here I thought I was in charge of this phone call.”

“Did you?” Zelda smirked. “Why?”

“Because you’re the one that’s been waiting for me to join you so you can finally touch yourself.”

“I’ve waited this long. Besides, I think it’s only fair that I get you to a similar state, don’t you?”

“Who says that I’m not?”

Zelda breathed, and the air crackled in the speaker of her phone, so she knew that Lilith would not have missed her reaction. 

“Are you? Are you soaked for me, Lilith?”

“Yes.” Lilith’s voice was far more breathy than before and Zelda could hear her shifting again. 

“Are you touching yourself?”

“No. I’m so wet for you I don’t need to. I know what you’ve done to me. I know, Zelda.”

“Touch yourself,” Zelda moaned, sliding her hand under her torso and down, past her waist and tugging up her nightgown until she was, hovering the tips of her fingers over sodden curls. “Please.”

Lilith let out a visceral groan. 

“God, do you know what you do to me?”

“Lilith…”

“Fuck Zelda, if you say my name like that I’ll come before I’ve even… fuck.”

Zelda’s fingers dipped between her folds, gathering her arousal and dragging it over her swollen clit. A gasp erupted from her lips and she rocked into the touch. 

“Lilith, you have no idea how much I want you.”

“Tell me.”

“I..” Zelda buried her face in her pillow to muffle a groan as her clit ached against the circles of her fingers. She slid down, gathering more of her hot, wet arousal and she clenched, her body yearning to be filled. “Oh god, Lilith. I want you inside me.”

“How?” Lilith’s voice was raspy, hard, like she was restraining herself and Zelda had a sudden image of her hips lifting off the sofa, her hand buried in her jeans, her lips parted as she tried not to come until Zelda herself had. The image in her mind only spurred her on and her hips ground down so hard that she could have cried out in her need for more. 

“I want your fingers inside me, I want your tongue, I want to ride you hard until both of us can’t take it anymore.” Zelda’s hips jerked and she bit her lip to prevent a cry escaping her as she got close. “I want you thrusting inside me until I can’t help but come for you.”

“Fuck,” Lilith growled. “I want to fuck you into the mattress.”

“Are you touching yourself?”

“God yes. How could I not? What else do you want me to do?”

“I want to tie you up so you can’t touch me and ride you like that.”

“Jesus Christ-”

“I want you to tie me to the bed and fuck me so hard that I-”

“Zelda, fuck-”

“Lilith, I’m… Oh, I’m going to-”

“Let me hear you, Zelda. Come for me.”

“Fuck,” Zelda’s shakey cry was cut short as she bit down on her pillow, all too aware of her sleeping family. The orgasm rippled through her, a sliver of desperation making the edge of it sharp and sudden. She shuddered against the mattress and then the ringing in her ears faded and she heard Lilith’s sharp inhale and then her name being called into the phone. “God, Lilith.”

“Zelda, fuck… yes…”

Zelda lay there, still twitching, her hand still buried between her legs, the sound of Lilith’s orgasm loud and sharp in her ear. It made her hips rock automatically, and she moaned low in her throat. 

“Lilith…”

“I’ve just realised something,” Lilith breathed, clearly trying to catch her breath. 

“What?” Zelda hummed sleepily, pulling her hand away from her centre and wiping it on the sheets. She was sticky, felt limbless and her core was still reeling from her orgasm. She wanted more, and yet she felt so satisfied. 

“I’m going to have to get through a dinner with your family knowing that your bedroom is right upstairs. Knowing that your sheets will smell like you.”

“I am going to wash them, you know?” Zelda wrinkled her nose. 

“Oh?” The smugness in Lilith’s voice made her roll her eyes. “Have you ruined them?”

“I…” Zelda shifted, rolling onto her back and peering through the dim light. “Might have darkened them considerably.”

“Damn.” Lilith smacked her lips together. “I miss the taste of you.”

“Don’t,” Zelda laughed lightly. “If we don’t sleep soon, we’ll be useless tomorrow. Early start, remember?”

“Right.” Lilith was silent for a moment and then clicked her tongue. “What are we going to tell them? Our managers?”

“Simple,” Zelda sighed, wriggling back into her pillows. “We’re in a relationship, we’d like our privacy and… I want to ruin Faustus Blackwood’s life.”

Lilith chuckled gently. 

“Sounds reasonable to me.”

“Lilith?” 

“Yes?”

Zelda hesitated. 

“I’m not… good, at this. I will most likely upset you again and I… I don’t want to do that. I’m sorry that I already have.”

“Don’t be.” Lilith was shifting again and Zelda could imagine her getting more comfortable on her sofa. “You don’t have to say sorry for how you feel, you know? It’s fast and it’s intense and I don’t blame you for reacting that way, even if it did hurt. You like your privacy and they were taking that from you. They will still try. But I won’t ever do that to you. Even if we… even if it didn’t work out. Whatever happens between us, stays between us, okay?”

Zelda’s smile was so soft it hurt her. She swallowed. 

“Yes. Okay. Thank you.”

“For what?”

Everything? 

“For knowing what to say.”

Lilith laughed. 

“You’re soft when you’re fucked and tired, did you know that?”

“I am not.”

“I hate to break it to you, Zelda.” Lilith’s voice lowered. “But you’re wrong again.”

“I'm going to ignore that blatant falsehood.”

“You’re falling asleep.”

Zelda opened her mouth to protest but then yawned. 

“Perhaps I am.”

“Sleep, Zelda. I’ll meet you in the morning to face hell together.”

“Would you like a lift?”

“I would love one.”

“Okay. Goodnight, Lilith.”

Lilith’s voice was so full of a smile when she responded that even with her eyes half closed, Zelda found herself smiling embarrassingly hard. 

“Goodnight, Zelda.”

Chapter 21: Official

Summary:

Zelda and Lilith face their management teams and there's more drama in rehearsals as the opening night draws closer.

Notes:

I'm about to start back at my MA, so I've been trying to update lots of chapters for my stories beforehand. I apologise if I slow down on the posting again, but here's a new one to keep this moving along. All That Jazz is in the home stretch now.

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Zelda’s stomach was a knot of nerves when she sat outside Lilith’s apartment waiting for her. Gone was the boneless relaxation that her orgasm had given her, replaced by dread and tension. She’d been angry yesterday but now she was scared and Zelda preferred to be angry when dealing with these situations. It made it all easier; made her think clearer. Made her harder, stronger. 

Now she wasn’t sure how to handle it. Everything felt as though it were spiralling, and the longer Lilith took to come downstairs, the more her insides felt like they were clawing at her stomach in a bid for freedom. Zelda tried to take a deep breath, closing her eyes, but it came in shallow and she fisted her hand until her nails dug into her palm to give herself pain to focus on.

A knock on the window startled her and she looked up to see Lilith peering in, frowning, holding two carry mugs. Zelda wound down the window, her breath caught in her throat.

“Are you okay?” Lilith asked, her voice soft. 

“Fine.” It came out sharp and breathless, and Zelda closed her eyes, swallowed and took another breath. Deeper this time. Her chest relaxed slightly. “Get in, please.”

Lilith handed her the mug through the window, and Zelda felt the warmth against her palms with a sort of relief. She cradled it as Lilith went round to the other side and slid into the car. Once she’d put on her seatbelt, Lilith put her mug into the holder and reached out slowly, putting her hand on Zelda’s knee. 

“I’m here.”

“I know.”

“We’re going to be okay.”

“You can’t know that,” Zelda laughed humorously, and she turned to look at her. Lilith’s eyes were a little red on closer inspection, and Zelda frowned. “Have you been crying?”

“No.” Lilith sniffed. 

“Are you getting ill?” Zelda shifted away, slightly horrified at the idea of their entire cast being hit by the flu so close to opening night. 

“No!” Lilith laughed, swatting at Zelda. “No need to treat me like a plague victim!”

“I can’t afford to get ill. Neither can you.”

“I’m not ill,” Lilith assured her, rubbing her thumb over Zelda’s knee. “I’m just… nervous.”

“So you were crying.”

“Maybe.”

Zelda swatted her and took her hand in her own. 

“You’re an idiot.”

“I’m your idiot though. Right?”

Zelda softened at the nervous look on Lilith’s face. 

“Yes.” She raised Lilith’s hand to her lips. “Yes, my love.”

Lilith’s eyebrows wiggled. 

“Love, hmm?”

“Shut up,” Zelda rolled her eyes, even though her heart was picking up the pace again. “You haven’t even asked me to be your girlfriend yet, you don’t get to tease me about pet names.”

“That’s not what I was teasing you about.” Lilith grinned. 

“You’re insufferable. At least you brought tea.”

“I didn’t.”

“What is this then?” Zelda eyed the mug, wondering if she could get the lid off without risking hot liquid escaping into her car or worse, onto herself. 

“Hot chocolate. I thought perhaps you might be too anxious to have caffeine, and since we never did have that hot chocolate on account of you asking me to kiss you that night-”

“Stop rambling,” Zelda said softly, putting the mug next to Lilith’s in the holder and leaning in. “You’re sweet.”

Lilith flushed and glanced away. 

“You know, I have a reputation to keep up.” 

“So did I.” Zelda smiled when Lilith’s gaze came back to her. “You’re right. We will be okay.”

Lilith stared at her, her eyes flitting all over Zelda’s face, before she closed them and sighed. When she opened them again, blue eyes steady, she smiled. 

“Zelda Spellman, will you be my girlfriend?”

Zelda chuckled, rolling her eyes. 

“Yes. Of course, I will.”

Lilith’s smile could have lit Broadway and she leaned in, tangling her fingers in Zelda’s hair as she pulled her into a kiss. Zelda tilted her head, sighing into the sensation of Lilith’s lips on hers, of the slight stroke of her tongue, questioning. Zelda parted her lips, leaning closer over the centre console to grip Lilith’s jacket for support, to pull her closer as they kissed. Memories of the previous time they made out in her car filled Zelda’s mind, and she broke the embrace, panting lightly. 

“We should-”

“Yep.” Lilith’s voice was hoarse and her eyelids were heavy. “We have to-”

“Yes…” 

Zelda pulled herself away, closing her eyes as she tried to settle the blood rushing through her veins. She wanted to drag Lilith back into her apartment and spend the day hiding in there, away from everyone and anything that could destroy the joy that rose in her chest when they kissed. 

“Zelda?”

“Yes?” She opened her eyes, looking over at Lilith again, her hands on the steering wheel. 

“One more kiss?” Lilith’s lips curled into a sly smirk and Zelda batted her with her hand again. 

“You’re like a horny teenager.”

“Can you blame me? Do you know how good at kissing you are?”

Zelda blushed. 

“Enough of that. We’re going to be late.”

“Well, it’s not like they can start without us.” Lilith picked up her hot chocolate, taking a sip. “Unless… your managers are the type to try and arrange everything before we even walk in the door.”

“When Circe and Gryla get together, they’re capable of practically anything.” Zelda put the car into gear. “I wouldn’t put it past them.”

“Great.” Lilith sipped her drink and then frowned. “You know, driving automatic is way easier than stick.”

Zelda snorted. 

“Americans.”

“Hey!”

“Please. You drop vowels from words, microwave tea and can’t be bothered to do something as simple as changing gear.”

“As opposed to what? Arguing internally about jam or cream first, cramming as many vowels as possible into a sentence and being sacrilegious about cookies?”

“Biscuits.”

“Cookies.”

“You are endlessly frustrating.”

“You love me.”

Zelda huffed, but there was a smile on her face as she navigated traffic. 

“Behave yourself. I need to concentrate.”

“Worried I’ll distract you again?” Zelda shivered reflexively. “Oh, you are.”

“Keep your hands to yourself.”

“No promises.”

***
Circe’s office was an intimidating, minimalist space with a view of the city that rivalled most, and Lilith felt smaller just walking into the room. Her manager, Elspeth and agent, Edward, were sitting in chairs across from Circe, already looking slightly more nervous than Lilith would like them to be. Gryla, apparently on the phone, was standing by the window and looked around as they walked in. 

“I have to go,” she snapped into the phone and hung up, turning to them. “You’re late.”

“We hit traffic,” Zelda replied smoothly.

“And you came together,” Circe interjected, picking up a coffee mug and taking a sip, leaving no trace of her red lipstick on the white china. “So I imagine that you are here to tell us that you are together, and weren’t just having a show fling?”

Zelda was rigid for a second, but then her hand reached out and took Lilith’s in her own. 

“Lilith and I are in a relationship.”

One of Circe’s eyebrows quirked, and she placed her mug back down, before leaning back and crossing one leg over the other. 

“Well then.”

That seemed to mean something to Zelda, who relaxed significantly, but Lilith still felt on edge. She squeezed Zelda’s hand curiously. 

“Well then?”

“She’s already planning on how to play the ‘love prevails’ angle,” Gryla said, propping her hip on Circe’s desk until the woman shooed her off. “Get more chairs and I won’t lean.”

“Anyone would think you’d been raised in the woods with those manners.”

“Must we do this again?” Gryla scoffed. 

“Personally,” Edward intervened. “I would quite like to settle our approach so that we can get back to making sure that Lilith gets the introduction to the world that she deserves.”

“I believe her introduction has already been made,” Circe replied, eyeing him like she wasn’t sure yet whether she liked him or not. “When she kissed my client.”

“It’s not like she knew that creep was spying on them,” Elspeth added. “Which in my mind, is what we should be focused on.”

“And Lilith was not the only one doing the kissing,” Zelda interrupted, pulling her girlfriend closer. “Had Faustus not been so determined to spread information that would hurt Lilith, I’m sure he’d have been paying attention to that.”

“We don’t need details,” Gryla waved her hand dismissively. “What we need is a plan. There has been no official statement from our side to the press yet, so at least we’re all on the same page with that.”

“We’re not novices,” Edward rolled his eyes. “I have been doing this for a long time.”

“Your experience is noted,” Circe replied frostily. “But nevertheless, I think we will be taking the lead here. Given Zelda has more of a public profile than Lilith.”

“Arguably, given Lilith took most of the hit on this, she should be our priority.”

“I believe that-”

“Okay,” Lilith raised her hands. “Can we try to get along? Zelda and I are together, that puts you all on the same team.”

“That’s naïve,” Circe said. “Adorable, but naïve.”

Lilith bristled, and Zelda squeezed her hand before pulling her over to the loveseat that remained unused. 

“Lilith is right. The solution to this must suit and support us both, or we won’t agree to it.”

“Zelda, I’ve been your manager for many years. You know how I work.”

“And you know me, Circe. Gryla. You know when I have a boundary I expect it to be respected.”

“Go on then,” Circe said, raising an eyebrow. “How do you propose we deal with this?”

“We discussed a statement that we are together and grateful for the show bringing us together, but that this began after Lilith was promoted.”

“Simple enough,” Elspeth said. “But it would be better with some cute couple photos. Not staged as such, just selfies. Perhaps on Lilith’s Instagram? It’s been gaining popularity since the article, and it would be a direct source to everyone invested in the story.”

“I thought about that as well,” Zelda added, with a sigh. “I think I should create an Instagram account.”

Gryla stared. 

“Zelda, do you know how many times I’ve begged you to - ”

“Yes, I know. Enter this century, get with the times etc. I can’t promise that I’ll update it regularly, but I am willing to have one in order to support Lilith’s statement. It will be harder for the press to disparage us if they see us united.”

“Well, you’ve thought of everything.” Circe’s tone was sarcastic, and Lilith decided she wasn’t much of a fan of Zelda’s manager, even if she was good at her job. “But what about the statement to the press? What about Faustus?”

“The statement you can help us with. But it should go to someone reputable, not that trash rag.” Zelda raised her chin. “And as for Faustus, I want him sued. Defamation of character for what he said about Lilith, invasion of privacy… something.”


“Zelda,” Circe huffed, folding her fingers. “I think you’ve been watching too many law programmes. Or too little. There were no direct quotes from a source or any proof that it was Faustus. It would be impossible to go after him with so little evidence.”

“A room full of people saw him admit that it was him. They heard him berate Lilith for weeks out of jealousy-”

“They also watched you attempt to assault him, and any behaviour towards Lilith being linked to this article is speculation. You have nothing, Zelda. Nothing but the knowledge that he did it. We can’t use the legal system to take him down.”

“So what do you suggest?” Zelda stood, furious. “What do you suggest that I do to respond when this man has slandered our names when he has harassed and bullied and treated us like…” 

She trailed off as Lilith’s hand slid into hers, distracting her. The other woman stood and squeezed her hand comfortingly, before turning to face the others. 

“Can we report him to the union? Is that an avenue that we can take?”

“That might have more of a foothold, but even still, I can’t imagine that they will be quick to move on anything like that. Faustus is a well-known name, with barely anything against him aside from a few rumoured affairs and the speculation about an upcoming divorce.”

“Which, knowing him as I do, are all likely true.” Zelda’s bitterness seeped out of her. 

“That being said,” Circe continued with a look that was more reprimand than caution. “I will explore what avenues we can take on that matter. I assume you don’t want to do anything like defame him in return?”

“No,” Zelda replied. “As you said, if there’s any quote then it opens us up to a lawsuit and while I have plenty of things I could use as examples of him being a lecherous worm, I have no interest in being sued by a man with more money than sense, brains or common courtesy.”

“You’re very fiery today, Zelda.” Gryla’s eyes flicked between her and Lilith. “I like this side of you.”

“You’ve seen Zelda on the attack before, Gryla.” Circe rolled her eyes. “When her sister was followed?”

“That was different,” Gryla purred. “This is a new side of protective Zelda. Will I be coordinating a wedding soon?”

Zelda stiffened. Lilith glanced between the two of them, feeling a flush creeping up her neck as Gryla’s eyes seemed to measure her up.

“Gryla, enough teasing. Now is not the time.” Circe snapped at her, waving her away from her desk again since she’d inched closer. “Ladies, I can only advise that you post nothing without our approval, don’t speak to the press… you know this, Zelda, but you, Lilith… you’re likely unprepared for the myriad of shit that’s about to come flooding into your life. Are you sure you’re prepared for this?”

Zelda turned. Her gaze softened when Lilith met it, steady and sure. 

“I’m more than prepared to put up with the press if it means I get to explore what Zelda and I have.”

Zelda smiled and sat back down, a little closer to Lilith than before. Lilith felt the urge to slide her arm around her, to hold her hand, to somehow be closer. Being around Zelda was addicting. 

“It won’t just be the press.” Circe shattered their moment, drawing their attention back to her. “Have you checked your Instagram? You’ve gotten another thousand followers since breakfast and that’s not counting yesterday’s increase after the story broke. Comments on your posts, your audience deciding whether they’re on your side or not. Some comments will be uncomfortable, and brutal; some will speculate that you’re only with Zelda for the fame, others for her money, and some will sexualise the two of you… do you have any notion of how much attention can shine through even one social page? How much more accessible that make you?”

Lilith shifted uncomfortably. 

“Yes. I’ve seen some of the comments. I’ve decided to ignore them.”

“You didn’t tell me,” Zelda interrupted. “Are you… were they dreadful?”

“Not particularly. One or two weren’t exactly friendly. I just blocked them.” Lilith shrugged, as though the weight of some of those people’s opinions hadn’t sat on her chest while she scrolled through her phone in bed that morning. “My concern is that you’ll get the same treatment if you start a page.”

Zelda scoffed. 

“I don’t care what they think about my relationship with you. What matters is what we think of it.”

“That’s true. But sometimes, if one catches you on a bad day…”

“I’m sure I can handle it.” Zelda dismissed. Seeing Lilith’s concern, she forced herself to send a small flirtatious smile at her girlfriend and leaned in with a lowered voice. “And if not, I’m sure you’ll be able to distract me… somehow.”

Lilith’s lips curled into a smirk. 

“Somehow. Mmm.”

“We are still here,” Elspeth snorted. “In the room. And we can hear you.” 

“I believe this is the honeymoon phase,” Gryla smirked as both Lilith and Zelda turned back to the room. “It’s going to be obvious to anyone that they’re together. We’d better get a move on.”

“I suggest,” Circe interjected again, “that we compose a joint statement of their Instagrams, then create Zelda a profile, which Lilith can tag when she posts, just as Zelda will do to hers so that anyone who visits the post will also find Zelda’s new social media presence. Do you both have any informal photos together that we can review?”

“No,” Zelda said, just as Lilith responded:

“Yes.”

“What?” Zelda frowned, trying to remember if they’d taken any photos together. “You mean the cast photos?”

“Uh, no?” Lilith blushed and took her phone out, unlocking it and scrolling through photos. “Agatha likes to take photos of everyone on nights out and she sent me a few from that first night when you wore the red dress…”

She trailed off as she found the photos, clicking on one and showing Zelda who took the phone and studied it, surprised. The two of them were sitting shoulder to shoulder, each twisted to face each other. Lilith’s smirk curled her lips, and Zelda’s eyes trailed momentarily over that exposed V of skin that had been so tempting that night. Then she switched to herself and her breath caught. Her cheeks were flushed, and her whole body leaned towards Lilith like she wanted to be closer. Her lips were parted and there was a look in her eye that… she could feel herself flushing just looking at herself. She thought she knew what moment this was too, which was even worse, because it reminded her that she’d been imagining Lilith on her knees, begging. Clearing her throat, Zelda swiped at the screen to see another photo. This one was less intense but no less intimate. Lilith’s head was partially obscured as she leaned into Zelda’s ear, telling her something that had brought an unreserved, very real grin to her face. She looked… happy. 

Zelda’s fingers hovered over the picture. 

“Are there more?” It came out as a hoarse whisper. 

“Just one.” Lilith’s voice was gentle and when Zelda swiped slowly, Lilith shifted beside her. Closer. 

It was a picture of Zelda. She was fixed on something, no Lilith in sight, but Zelda knew exactly when this was. It was during Lilith’s performance. That was why she was transfixed in the photo. That was why her lips were parted, because she was amazed at Lilith’s magnetism, and realising just how attracted to her she was. 

Zelda stared. 
She knew that look on her face. She knew the look on her face in the previous pictures too. She had liked Lilith, really liked her, for longer than she’d realised. Perhaps she’d been lost to her from the beginning and hadn’t known. Too busy caught up in why she couldn’t, wouldn’t, shouldn’t…

“Are you okay?” Lilith murmured, nudging her with her shoulder. Zelda closed her eyes, took a breath and nodded. 

“Not the first, or the last. But the middle one, that would be suitable to put online, I believe.” She swiped back to it, and turned the phone around for the others in the room to see. “What do you think?”

They shifted closer, Circe standing for the first time since they’d entered the room. She took the phone from Zelda, studied it with pursed lips and then nodded. 

“Yes, that will do nicely.” She handed the phone back to Lilith, and then turned on her heel, sending the other three around her scurrying out of her way. “Now we craft the message; Gryla, help Zelda create a profile so that it’s ready when we are. You two… do something useful.”

She waved at Lilith’s agent and manager, who both looked affronted. 

“You are aware that we are just as much a part of this as you are?” Elspeth said. “I have thoughts on what the statement should say - we should make sure it stays in Lilith’s voice, edit it for Zelda’s so that the public knows that this is more than just a perfectly crafted PR statement.”

Circe eyed her. 

“Yes. Well. Perhaps you can be of use.”

As they began discussing wording, Zelda let her gaze slip to Lilith’s for the first time since she’d seen those pictures. Lilith met her eyes. 

“Hey.”

“Hello.” Zelda gave her a small smile. 

“Did those photos freak you out?”

Zelda’s lips twitched higher on one side. 

“It takes more than some pictures to ‘freak me out’.”

Lilith shrugged, leaning in a little closer and lowering her voice. 

“It’s just you were looking at them with this look on your face that I haven’t really seen before.”

Zelda reached over and took her hand, squeezing it. 

“Later. We’ll talk later. Right now we have to get this finished before we go to rehearsal.”

Lilith’s eyes tracked over her face as if to check that she wasn’t just placating her. Then she inclined her head. 

“Okay, cookie.”

Her lips burst into a cheeky grin as one of Zelda’s eyebrows rose. 

“You are not trying to pass off that word as a cute nickname, are you?”

“Not at all. I just think it suits you. Sweet with a soft centre…” She trailed off when Zelda nudged her. 

“I take great offence to being labelled a cookie.”

“Too bad. I think it’ll stick.”

“You are maddening.”

“Doesn’t it make you want to kiss me, just a little bit?”

Zelda’s eyes trailed over Lilith’s smirk. 

“Yes. But that, my darling, will also have to wait until later.”

An hour later, after intense discussions, debates and a few moments where Zelda felt like she would rather throw herself from the window than continue navigating the complicated world of PR via social media, Lilith’s thumb was hovering over the post button. Zelda’s mirrored hers, next to each other. 

“What’s the hold-up?” Circe asked, tapping her pen on the desk and fixing them both with a firm look. 

“Nothing,” Lilith murmured. She looked at Zelda. “Are you ready? For… all of this?”

“Yes.” Zelda’s teeth pulled at her bottom lip and then she took a breath and released it. “Yes, I’m ready.”

“I’ll count us down, alright?”
“Okay.”

“3… 2… 1…”

***

“Well, well…” Agatha grinned as they walked through the door to rehearsal, barely early by five minutes. “If it isn’t Broadway’s latest power couple.”

A smattering of cheers and applause cascaded through the room and Lilith shot a grin at Zelda, squeezing her hand before releasing her to drop her bag by Agatha. 

“Shut up.”

“Oh no, I don’t have to. You both put it on the internet for the world to see how adorably gay for each other you are. Where was my photo credit by the way?”

“We were a little preoccupied,” Zelda said smoothly, sliding into place beside Lilith on the floor. 

“I’ll bet you were,” Agatha smirked. 

“Not like that,” Lilith rolled her eyes. 

“Well…” Zelda threw her a smirk and Agatha gasped with glee as Lilith blushed. 

“Oh my god. I love this. I’m going to enjoy this so much now you’re not sneaking around.”

“So you knew?” 

Dorcas had appeared behind them, a small scowl on her face. She was looking from Agatha to Lilith to Zelda through puffy, red eyes. 

“Are you okay?” Agatha asked. 

“You knew they were together?”

“I mean, yeah.”

“Great. I hope you’re both happy together.”

“What’s your problem, Dorcas?” Lilith asked, sick of the sarcasm. “Did you find out Lucifer is a manipulative, man-whore?”

Dorcas sniffed, looking away and crossing her arms over her stomach. 

“Oh,” Zelda said, putting a hand on Lilith’s arm. “You did, didn’t you?”

“I thought we were only sleeping with each other,” Dorcas replied bitterly. “Not that it’s any of your business.”

Lilith sighed, getting to her feet. 

“Look, Dorcas, I know I’m not the friendliest person but… if you want to talk to someone who gets it, I’m all ears. Any time.”

Dorcas frowned. 

“You slept with him too?”

“A long time ago now. Before this show.”

“Is that why he’s always talking about you?”

“He… what?”

“Yeah. I mean I’m not normally the jealous type but he’s basically obsessed with you. He cannot handle that you don’t swoon over him like everyone else.”

“I imagine that he’s not used to people not coming back begging for more.” Lilith reached out and squeezed Dorcas’ arm when she didn’t pull away from the outstretched hand. “Listen, why don’t you join us for a drink sometime? Just the four of us. No asshole men.”

Dorcas hesitated and then gave her a watery smile. 

“That… that would actually be nice. Thanks, Lilith.”

“Don’t tell anyone I’m nice or anything though.”

She chuckled. 

“Alright. I’d erm… better get ready.”

“Sure. See you on the floor.”

As Dorcas walked away, Lilith felt Zelda’s warm hand on her lower back. She turned and saw that soft look that Zelda only reserved for her family, and lately, for Lilith. 

“You get sweeter by the day.”

“Shut up, cookie.” Zelda rolled her eyes, but her lips curled into a smile and Lilith just wanted to kiss her. Just kiss her right there in front of everyone. “How do you feel about PDA? We never had reason to discuss it before.”

“I’m not opposed to the occasional display, when appropriate.”

“Is now appropriate?” Lilith bit down on her lip to prevent her grin from getting too bright. 

“Hardly,” Zelda chuckled. “Why?”

“Because I want to kiss you more than anything right now.”

Zelda’s lips curled and she glanced around, then cleared her throat quietly. 

“Well, I suppose one kiss won’t hurt.”

Triumphant, Lilith’s grin split wide, showing her teeth, and she cupped Zelda’s face and kissed her. She could feel Zelda smiling into the kiss, and her hands resting lightly on Lilith’s hips, and then everyone started wolf-whistling and cheering, and they broke apart. 

“Damn you guys are so fucking cute,” Agatha grinned, throwing her arms around both of their shoulders. Zelda looked slightly taken aback by the move but didn’t shrug away. “I want to be your bridesmaid.”

“Shut up,” Lilith laughed, pushing her away and sliding her arm around Zelda’s back, settling her hand on her hip and her head against hers. “Or we’ll never be cute in front of you again.”

Agatha gasped, putting her hand to her heart as though she were wounded. 

“You wouldn’t.”

“Drama queen.”

“You’re one to talk,” Zelda muttered, smirking at her when Lilith turned her head, eyes wide in mock shock. 

“How dare you.”

“You’re proving my point,” she grinned. Lilith went to retort, but the sound of the door slamming against the wall drove all of their attention to Faustus, who had just arrived. His face was like thunder. 

“Get to your starting positions, we’re doing a complete run-through!” 

Everyone scurried to follow his orders, including Zelda and Lilith, all aware that Faustus’ moods were not to be trifled with. Lilith’s fingers brushed Zelda’s as she passed her and Zelda’s hand lifted a little, following the touch; the lifeline against what would likely be a hard day, if Faustus’ stormy face was anything to go by. 

“Faustus, they’re not warmed up-” Prudence began. 

“They’re professionals, if they don’t come ready then they’re clearly not good enough to be here. Is anyone here not ready to work?” Everyone stayed quiet, and Faustus sneered at them. “Good. Then perhaps we can start without any further interruptions?”

Prudence looked as though she might say something else, but when Faustus’ gaze turned on her, she dropped her head. 

The first notes of the piano brought everyone to attention, and they began. 

Zelda found herself transfixed by Lilith, even more than before, as she slinked across the stage as they began the opening act. As Velma hurried to get to her performance, Roxie was dazzled by the possibilities of her career in show business. Velma climbed to the top of the platform, where the spotlight would light her for her club appearance, as police filled the stage looking for her, and as she looked up… 

“Come on babe, why don’t we paint the town? And all that jazz. I’m gonna rouge my knees and roll my stockings down… and all that jazz. Start the car, I know a whoopee spot-”

“Stop!”

They fell silent as Faustus’ lip curled. Zelda tensed. Surely he wouldn’t continue to bully Lilith now that everything was out? Now that she had confronted him in front of everyone. Did he really think he had that much power? 

“Was there something wrong?” Lilith asked, and Zelda saw the way her chin lifted. She was prepared for a fight. Faustus’ eyes trailed over her, unflattering and somehow predatory, before he turned away, ignoring her completely. 

“Where is Lucifer?” He asked the stage manager, who looked around frantically. 

“I haven’t seen him this morning.”

“I told him that he'd be fired if he was late again. Do I seem like a man who doesn’t keep his word?”

“N-No.”

“Call him. Now.” With that, he swivelled on his heel and headed for the door, pausing only when his hand was on the handle. “Tell him not to bother coming in if he doesn’t have a good reason.”

With that, Faustus strode out of the room, leaving everyone frozen. 

“What the fuck?” Agatha whispered. 

“Does anyone know where Lucifer is?” Prudence asked. 

“I mean…” Dorcas spoke up. “The last time I saw him he had his mouth full of Mr Gray.”

Lilith, who had taken a sip of water, almost spat it out and began choking instead. Zelda hurried over, patting her on the back. 

“Must you be so dramatic,” she chastised fondly as Lilith caught her breath. Lilith rolled her eyes, staring at Dorcas as the whole room muttered. 

“You’re telling me he’s fucking Dorian Gray?”

“Why do you think I dumped him?” Dorcas shrugged.

“Well… You did say you wouldn’t put anything past him,” Zelda reminded Lilith. 

“I mean… true. But I wouldn’t mess with one of the wealthiest producers in theatre.”

“I think they make quite the pair,” Zelda said. “They both have a habit of sleeping where they eat.”

“That’s not really the idiom.”

“I know,” Zelda rolled her eyes. “But I was brought up well.”

“Oh, and I wasn’t?” Lilith smirked. Zelda dropped her voice and leaned in closer. Her breath ghosted over Lilith’s neck. 

“Well, you’re certainly naughty.”

“God, are you two going to be completely disgustingly insufferable,” Agatha snorted. 

The door burst open again and the stage manager almost dropped their phone as Faustus strode back in… accompanied by Lucifer. 

“Look who decided to join us.”

“Sorry I’m late,” Lucifer smirked. “I was just telling our benevolent leader how I was having breakfast with Mr. Gray and we got a little carried away discussing his next project. Dorian thinks with me as the lead, we could be on for a real winner.”

Faustus’ smile didn’t reach his eyes, but he threw his arm around Lucifer’s shoulders. 

“See everyone? This is what a team player looks like. You should all try to emulate Lucifer’s dedication to his craft.”

“Sleep your way to the top, you mean?” Agatha muttered under her breath. Lilith barely contained a snort. 

“And after they had so much fun accusing me of doing the same thing.”

Zelda’s hand, both comforting and a warning, alighted on Lilith’s arm as Faustus’ gaze slid to the both of them. 

“Now then, let’s see if our two leads are up to the challenge today. It has been a very trying couple of days for them, after all.”

His fake concern grated against Lilith, but she let her lip curl and before she could overthink it, leaned in to give Zelda a kiss on her cheek. 

“Yeah, come on darling. Let’s show them how it’s done.”

Faustus was practically smoking by the time that Lilith took her place again, and Zelda’s cheeks had the faintest of blushes against them. 

“From the top!” Faustus yelled. “Five, six, seven, eight!”

Notes:

Next up... family dinner.