Actions

Work Header

The Crimson Blade Master's Guide to Childcare

Chapter 14: Chapter 10

Chapter Text

            It was both difficult and easy to settle back into life in Qinghe.  There was much to be done, but at least most of the infrastructure was still in place.  Things needed repairs mostly.  But transitioning from war footing back to normal life was tricky at times.  The oddest things could trigger a reaction that you didn't expect.  A sound or smell could take you back to the battlefield before you knew it.  There was also the matter of getting the Dafan Wens settled as well.  The good news was everyone seemed to be willing to do what they needed to establish themselves here, and Mingjue hadn't had to field that many complaints about the presence of Wens from his people.  Fourth Uncle's talents for making alcohol certainly smoothed things along as did the fact that several of the other Wens were clearly making use of their skills in service to Qinghe.

            Of course, the word had gotten out that he was taking in Wens which meant Mingjue occasionally had people show up looking either for a fight with the Wens that were here or claiming to need sanctuary.  Some of them were members of the Dafan Wen who had managed to survive and were looking to reunite with the rest of their family though, and Mingjue was hoping that eventually Wen Huian's granddaughter would be one of them.  Wen Qing still hadn't showed up yet, and both Wen Huian and Wen Qionglin were quite worried about her.

            Wen Qionglin had turned out to be quite the asset to them.  He and Huaisang got along quite well which was nice, but he also turned out to be quite the competent assistant.  Apparently, he had helped his sister a great deal with her duties, and many of those skills translated well to helping run a sect.  Mingjue left him and A-Sang to deal with rebuilding Qinghe Nie's trade deals and relationships with merchants which was going surprisingly well.  And it left Mingjue free to concentrate on other areas that needed attention like dealing with nighthunts that had gone unattended during the war and working on rebuilding their ranks of disciples.

            Qinghe Nie had lost a lot of people in the Sunshot campaign, but then everyone had.  They weren't nearly as decimated as some sects, but it would take time for them rebuild their ranks, and it meant that they didn't have nearly as many people to train disciples as they once did.  That had meant getting a little creative with their training regimen.  On the more delightful side of that, Mingjue also got to start Yingyue on her own martial training.  Her saber wasn't ready quite yet, but she wasn't at the stage where she needed it, though it was rare to the little girl without her practice saber these days.  She had taken to her training with great enthusiasm, and almost everyone found it delightful.

            There was still the matter of formally adopting Yingyue to be dealt with, but Mingjue hadn't been able to find the time to sit down and have a conversation with everyone involved.  But as things started to settle into new routines, he hoped he could address that.  It probably didn't matter too much in the long run as Yingyue would always have a place in the Nie sect, but A-Sang wouldn't let the matter drop.

            He was in the middle of training a group pf junior disciples when Nie Yanmei came looking for him.

            "There's a woman at the gate asking to speak with you, Sect Leader.  She says she's looking for her brother."

            Mingjue sighed.  It wouldn't be the first time or likely the last that someone came seeking information on a relative.  They had done their best to get the word out to families about those who had died in battle or were injured and not able to go home yet, but people always fell through the cracks.  It was likely that he would need to explain t the woman that her brother was dead or missing.  He'd done it before.  Still, it was one of the parts of his job that never got easier.

            "Send her in."

            He wasn't expecting to recognize familiar features on the woman.  He was fairly certain that this was Wen Qionglin's sister though.

            "Lady Wen."

            She started but recovered quickly.  "I was told that my brother was here."

            Mingjue nodded.  "Along with most of the remaining Dafan Wen.  If you'll follow me, I'll take you to them."

            It's easiest enough to locate A-Sang and Qionglin working together in one of the courtyard and as it turned out Yingyue and Wen Huain were there as well having just brought some snacks.

            "Da-ge!"

            He caught A-Yue before she could crash into him, swinging her up onto his hip.  But Wen Qing only had eyes for her brother.

            "A-Ning!"

            The younger man beamed.  "Jiejie!"

            He motioned to A-Sang to give them a little bit of privacy for their reunion.  He was glad that Wen Qing had turned up for her family's sake, though he was pretty sure he was going to get an earful about it at the next discussion conference.  Wen Qing was the highest ranking surviving Wen, and even if had become clear that her participation in Wen Ruohan's dealings had been under duress, there were somet that would place the all the blame for the Sunshot Campaign on her.  They would have to come up with a plan to address that.  But on the other hand, since Wen Qing was ostensibly the head of the Dafan Wen, it was good she was here to discuss Yingyue's adoption into the Nie Clan.

            Once the siblings had calmed down a little, the six of them settled down to talk.

            "So, your people were granted amnesty from punishment due to their support for the other Sects during the war, and your brother for his actions in helping the Jiang especially since he was imprisoned when we originally found him." Mingjue informed Wen Qing.  "I doubt we'll have too much trouble making a case for you as well since we have the support of both the Lans and the Jiangs, but it will probably be a little tense for bit once word gets out that you are here.  Jin Guangshan has been doing his level best to consolidate power since so many sects are weakened and rebuilding right now, and one of the ways he's tried to do that is by whipping up anger over the remaining Wen.  Unfortunately, that's mostly your people these days.  Nothing has actually happened or is likely to, but I don't want you to get caught off guard by the rumors."

            Mingjue sighed.  "Since we're all here, there's something else we should talk about.  Lady Wen, you won't be aware as you've just arrived, but Yingyue has basically become a part of my family.  I'd like to formally adopt her.  It would mean that she would be in line to be Sect Heir after Huaisang as well as being considered a part of the main family.  But I wanted to get both her and your permission first."

            Both Wen Huian and Wen Qionglin looked pleased by that.  Wen Qing looked like she had questions.  He was right about that.

            "There are a few things that I'd like to know before I agree."

            What followed was one of the most thorough interrogations Nie Mingjue had ever seen.  He was more than a little impressed, and he hoped A-Sang was taking notes.  But by the end of it they had come to an agreement, and A-Sang was all set to plan the adoption ceremony.