Actions

Work Header

to make things right.

Chapter 8: strong boy, healing boy ; why do you visit?

Summary:

Tommy visits Dream in prison. Things wrap themselves up.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Things got better after that. They weren’t fantastic - the house was still hauntingly quiet sometimes - but it got better. Marginally.

Maybe Techno was convincing himself.

He wondered, in the back of his head, if Tommy would ever speak as much as he used to. To be fair, he hadn’t been quite as loud as his childhood self for a long time - a fact that shocked many. When they heard Tommy, blaring and boisterous and demanding your attention, it was nearly impossible to believe he could’ve EVER been louder than he was now.

But war had changed him. Little by little, he had been getting quieter - a change that went over most people’s heads, since they never knew Tommy at his loudest. With the passing of Wilbur, and then exile, the destruction of LManburg, and more, Tommy had become naturally quieter over time. More submissive - more traumatized.

Perhaps the encounter with Dream was just the straw that broke the camels back.

But, to Techno’s relief, Tommy WAS talking, even if it wasn’t as much as before.

He would use words when he couldn’t use gestures or inference. When Phil asked him if he wanted pancakes for breakfast, he would nod silently, and that would be the end of the conversation. If someone asked where Techno was - he would point outside. If someone asked if he wanted pancakes OR waffles, or if someone asked WHAT Techno was doing, he would respond “pancakes”, or “taking care of the bees”, respectfully.

It wasn’t perfect, but it was better. He was around the family more, as well ; wasn’t keeping to himself as much. Wasn’t locked in his room.

He was still scared of going outside alone, even if he didn’t like to show it. He wouldn’t wonder beyond the doors threshold unless he was accompanied by someone - if he was alone, he would put it off, or make an excuse as to why he couldn’t go. “It’s too cold out”, he would say, or “It’s getting dark out, mobs will come soon”. The latter was said at 1PM.

Phil, Wilbur and Techno all noticed, but silently agreed not to comment. Not until it became a real issue, anyways.

A week and a half since Tommy started talking, Tubbo visited again for the first time. The boys best friend had been itching to see him since the whole fiasco with Dream, but Phil worried it would be a little too much for Tommy, and asked Tubbo to wait until the other was had - at least slightly - recovered from the ordeal.

Tommy was doing better now, though, so Tubbo made the trip over in the minecart the family had set up for him. The boys greeted each other with a hug and a laugh, and immediately scurried up to Tommys room to be together in private.

Techno practically melted into his seat when he heard Tommy, one floor above him, laughing - truly, really laughing. Not the compressed giggle, or the low harsh breath - but the obnoxious, wheezing Tommy laugh that was so unique to his brother that it had hurt not to hear.

Tommy laughed with Tubbo. Techno was relieved. He wasn’t sure when he started caring so much about Tommys laughter, but he did know he was relieved.

Even then, Techno knows things can’t stay perfect forever. He won’t let Dream touch Tommy ever again - he swears that to himself every night - but that doesn’t mean the man wasn’t still alive, locked in prison, awaiting his final verdict.

Techno waited until 3 weeks after Tommy had started talking again, a whole two months after the abduction, to approach him about it.

Knuckles reached up and raptured lightly at the teens decorated door. For a few moments, there was nothing but silence, and then a loud “Come in, bitch!”

Rolling his eyes, Techno peels the door open and takes a glance inside. Tommy isn’t at his bed, like normal, instead sitting at his desk with a book scrawled out in front of him. Almost immediately, Techno recognizes it as the journal him and Wilbur gave Tommy during his stretch of silence. He was glad his brother was using it - even if he didn’t realize it, it was probably helping him.

“Hey, Theseus.” Techno cleared his throat in his unique, awkward fashion, before pushing the door open fully and taking a step inside the room. The floor groaned lightly under the weight as he walked over, sitting himself on the edge of Tommys bed. “Can we talk for a second?”

Tommy, who had been watching him over his shoulder until then, shifts his body to give him his full attention. Eyebrow raised, he inquires “Am I in trouble or something? Because whatever it is, I didnt do it.”

“No, you’re not-“ Techno let’s out a low breath. He’s already tenser than he’d like to be for this interaction.

He’s not annoyed at Tommy, more just the situation as a whole. He’s mad that his little brother has to do this ; that encountering Dream one last time was unavoidable. Tommy doesn’t know the annoyance isn’t directed at him, though, so Techno makes an effort not to show any level of agitation in his voice or form.

“You’re not in trouble. I just- I needed to ask you something, and I didn’t know when the right time would be. But I guess - I don’t know. No better time than the present.”

Tommy blinks at him. “Oookay, Big Man.” he drawls out, turning his back on his older brother just long enough to close his journal and set down his pen. Immediately, he’s facing Techno again. “What is it?”

“Dreams in prison.” Techno doesn’t really know how to start, so he just does. “I mentioned it to you before, but I figured we would talk about it more in-depth when you were feeling better. Me, Wilbur, Phil - we took him down to one life, had him thrown in prison after. Figured that, once you were feeling better, you could decide what happens to him.”

Silence. Technos never been a talkative guy, but for some reason, he keeps going.

“Tommy, I mean it when I say this - you say the word and he’s dead. You tell me you don’t want to ever see him again and I’ll make sure he never touches you again, yeah? I mean, regardless, he’ll never step near you again as long as I or Phil or Wilbur are alive, but you know what I mean. You want him dead, he’s dead. You-“

“Techno.”

A deep breath. “...Yes, Theseus?”

“I want to visit him.”

“You want- what?” Techno leans back slightly, bed creaking underneath his weight. Man, he’s gotta get this kid better furniture. “You don’t have to do that, you know-“

“Yeah, but I want to.” Tommy hums, and he’s calm - Techno hates it. He wants Tommy to yell, to swear, to be himself. “I don’t- before I make a decision, I need to see him one last time. I don’t know how to describe why I need to do it, I just know I do. I don’t know why. I just know. I need to see Dream one last time - if I don’t, I’ll regret it.”

They maintain eye contact for a few
moments, and all Techno can see in Tommy is a kid. His jokes are lacking, his voice is softer - he’s molding himself into an adult, and Techno hates it. He’s just a kid.

But this isn’t serious, he reminds himself. He’s acting like he’s sending Tommy off to die or something - he just wants to visit Dream. In prison. You know, two months after he almost murdered Tommy.

But Tommy, while a child, isn’t stupid. Techno knows he needs to trust his brother ; to trust that he knows what he’s doing.

Techno - Tommy - they’ve just gotta do this. They have to do it, so it can be done.

“...Yeah, okay. Okay, Toms. We’ll visit Dream. Together, okay? We’ll visit him together.”

———

It’s four days later, and Techno wishes he were doing just about anything else.

He could be sparring with Phil, or making - okay, burning - dinner with Wilbur, or doing quite literally ANYTHING else with Tommy. But no - he’s here, riding on Steve, Tommy behind him, on their way to a looming, massive prison. The prison holding the very man who raged terror on their family not two months ago.

“You sure about this?” Its the fourth time Techno’s asked Tommy that in the past half an hour. Tommy huffs, obviously annoyed, but Techno cant find it in himself to feel bad.

“I already told you, Big Man. I’m good.”

“Just wanted to make sure you haven’t changed your mind.”

“Seems to me like YOU don’t want to be here. You don’t have to be, y’know.”

This time, Techno is the one to let out a breath, grip on Steve’s reigns tightening fractionally. “I don’t know Sam that well. I’m not sure I trust him, and I sure as hell don’t understand Dream. So, yeah, no. I’m coming.”

“Whatever floats your boat, Blade.”

Silence falls over them, and Techno takes the travel time to think. This route reminds him of that night, riding horses with his brother and father, entirely unsure if his brother was still alive or not. This time is different, of course - Tommy is directly behind him, gripping his shirt - but he can’t shake the reminder of two months ago from his brain.

Tommys nervous, too - Techno can tell. He doesn’t show it, never really does, but his fingers keep gripping and adjusting their hold on Techno’s shirt. There are periods of time where he’s talking endlessly, making useless comments and useless remarks, followed by long spans of saying nothing at all. If Techno cranes his neck, he can see the hand Tommy isn’t using to hold onto his cape is buried in Steve’s fur, twisting it between fingers and then smoothing it out again.

It wasn’t like Techno could fault Tommy for being nervous. Hell, he was nervous, and he was known as the Blood God for goodness sake. This wasn’t even his fight,
arguably, it was Tommys - but Techno was pretty sick of sitting on the sideline and letting his younger brother fight all his battles alone.

Regardless, he was nervous. It wasn’t like he thought they were going into a battle - he was there to make sure that DIDN’T happen - but that doesn’t mean he could control what Dream said to Tommy. What if he got in the kids head, said something to set him off? What if he fucked with the kids head? What if-

“Techno. I can hear you thinking.”

Techno scoffs. “At least I have thoughts in my head, gremlin child.”

“Shut up!” Tommy leans back, a scowl on his face. “I have tons of thoughts in my head! For example, right now, I’m thinking about women.”

“That’s nice.”

“Man, you are just so supportive. Has anyone ever told you that? I tell you things, and you just - you’re so interested.”

“I try my best.”

In the distance, the prison looms above them. Tommy tenses from his position on Steve’s back, and Techno leans back fractionally. Perhaps, he reasons, being physically closer to Tommy may calm his nerves slightly. If not a lot, at least marginally. Maybe he did it for himself, too - who knows.

“We’re close now.” Techno hums. “We’ll be quick - an hour at the absolute most - so we can just tie Steve up out here.”

Once Steve has been tethered to the nearest fence, and Tommy has given him a few more discrete goodbye pets, both brothers turn to face the looming building. Nothing was stopping them, now - nothing left to procrastinate with.

Techno places what he hopes is a gentle hand on Tommys shoulder - he still isn’t good with this sort of thing, but he’s improving - and together, they walk into the towering entrance.

——

It doesn’t take long for Sam to meet them. He’s standing in the main room, at the very desk that Tommy had almost been killed in front of. The second they had stepped through the portal and into the room, Tommys shoulder had tensed hard below Techno’s hold. The older of the two can’t say he blames him - he certainly doesn’t want to stick around any longer than they have to, either.

“Tommy! Techno!” Sam seemed oblivious to the air of the room, although Techno didn’t know him well enough to decipher his emotions on such things. He’s smiling - he’s got a mask on, but it’s evident in the way his eyes crinkle.

He seems sympathetic when he looks at Tommy. He puts his arms down and stands far enough away from them, with his posture open and inviting. Techno isn’t the best with handling others, but that doesn’t mean he’s stupid - he can tell the warden is trying to stay neutral. Trying to stay gentle.

Trying not to chase away the boy whose face keeps grimacing when he thinks no one is looking.

“I’m gonna ask you guys to sign these contracts. Don’t worry - they’re nothing...too bad.” Yeah, Techno would be the judge of that. “Then, Ill have you guys deposit your items in the lockers. You’ll get them back when you’re leaving. The process to get in is pretty hefty, so you’re not going to want all that stuff on you.”

Technos eyes narrow. “I’m not going in there without any sort of weapon.”

Sam doesn’t seem deterred by the air of finality Techno attempts to establish. “Sorry, man. It’s the rules. I cant have you killing Dream while he’s locked up here.”

Tommy, besides Techno, tenses slightly. The older of the two brothers reaches out, resting what he hoped was a reassuring hand on the others shoulder. “I’m not bringing Tommy in there without any form of protection. It doesn’t have to be a weapon, but you’ve gotta give us something.”

Sam let out an audible sigh. “Is that an ask, or a demand?”

“Guess.”

Sam taps his foot twice, impatiently, before shaking his head. “Here’s what we we can do. I can give Techno a potion that reverses mining fatigue - it’ll allow you to punch Dream, if you need to. It’s ONLY for emergencies - I’m talkin’ he charges you guys or something. If there’s any funny business I deem unwarranted, you’ll both be stuck in there, with Dream, for a minimum of seven days, until I can figure the situation out. Understood?”

Tommy is practically shaking underneath Techno’s hand now. The orher runs his thumbs over Tommy’s back, giving intermittent squeezes, and refusing to let go.

“I understand.” He nods, and the two are lead into the locker rooms.

——

Watching the lava fall is nothing short of terrifying.

Techno stands directly behind Tommy, hand still rooted on his shoulder. He holds a potion in his other - the counter effects of the mining fatigue. Sam told him not to drink it until he gets the go-ahead, so he just holds it for now. Staring into the lava as, slowly but surely, it falls.

And by golly, it’s slow.

Tommys been talkative this entire time - Sam, Techno gives him credit, has been handling it surprisingly well. Right now, the boy is going off about moths and dogs, hands waving wildly in the air as he expounds a story of god-knows-what.

“You know what I mean, Techno?”

“Mmhm.”

Tommys lower lip juts out in a way that almost painfully shows his age. “You werent listening at all, you asshole.”

“I was.” Technos tone makes no actual effort to defend himself. “You were talking about...moths.”

“Aaaand?”

“And....wings?”

Tommy huffs, and turns back to the lava. Techno glances over at Sam, who gives him a pitying shrug of the shoulders, but no other form of communication.

Sam takes his job as warden a little too seriously, in Techno’s opinion, but he likes the man regardless. He seems to be gentle with Tommy in a way that a lot of the adults on this server find themselves incapable of - usually, Techno included. He didn’t talk down to the teen, but he wasn’t rough or aggressive either ; he listened, and formed his response based on what he knew Tommy would react positively to.

Techno admired it. He didn’t have those skills, not usually, and he admired it.

“The lava will be down soon.” Sam’s voice interrupts his thoughts. “Techno, drink that potion now. It’s effects only last ten minutes, so if you’re absolutely hellbent on not being in there without any form of defense, I would suggest leaving before it runs out.”

Oh, thank god. An excuse to not have this be any longer than it needs to be. Techno’s shoulders sag in slight relief as he lifts the potion to his mouth, removes the cork with his teeth, and chugs the content.

Tommy watches him with raised eyebrows. “No need to be such a dick about it.” He grunts. “Lookin’ all macho and shit. You have pink hair. It doesn’t work.”

“I’ll have you know people are absolutely terrified of me and my pink hair.”

“Sure, ‘Tech. Keep tellin yourself that. I’m pretty sure they were more afraid of Ghostbur than they were of you.”

In front of them, the lava clears. The path in front of them is now completely unblocked, and leads to a single, obsidian cell.

Tommys feet shift uncomfortably. Techno squeezes his shoulder.

“Yell if you need anything.” Sam says, and the two are stepping on to the platform.

 

When Dream sees Tommy, his eyes absolutely light up. It almost makes Techno sick to his stomach - but he’s resolved himself not to talk during this, not unless he felt absolutely necessary. He would stand in the corner, clenching and unclenching his fist where a weapon should be, and that would be enough. If Dream doubted what Techno could accomplish with just his fists and a little bit of protective fury, he could learn the hard way.

“Tommy!!!” Dream throws his arms open, as if expecting a hug. Tommy, in turn, takes a large, pointed step backwards. Dream frowns, but Techno feels a bloom of pride.

“I’m so glad you finally visited.” Underneath his mask, Dream grinned. “It took you a while, but that’s ok.” He spared a quick glance in Techno’s direction - “although, I’m not entirely sure why he’s here.”

Techno opened his mouth, but Tommy was quick to answer for him. “Backup.” was all he said. The silence that followed afterwards was thick.

Dream, never one for reading tense air in a room, clapped his hands together. “I’m so excited to see you Tommy. I have so much to show you! I have books, and a pen to write with ; I have a clock, and a sink-“

“What do you think should happen to you, Dream?”

Almost immediately, the figure in front of Tommy and Techno straightened. For a moment, he didn’t turn to look at them - it was bordering on scary, the way he stared at the wall, hands folded in front of him. Techno can’t imagine what it must’ve been like for a child to live with that temper.

“Hm?” He asked, and Tommy wasn’t shy in repeating he question.

“You’re down to one life. I get to decide what happens to you - whether you live or die. What do you think should happen to you?”

Dream was facing Tommy, now. The smile seemed etched deeper into the mask than it was last time Techno saw him. To the side, his head tilted.

“Tommy.” He said gently, slowly, allowing the name to hang in the air for a moment before continuing. “I know everyone tells you i’m this horrible guy - the villain in the story. But don’t you remember? I’m the ONLY one that cared about you. Nobody visited. Techno-“ he jabbed a finger in the pigs direction - “couldn’t even be bothered to check in. I tried to save you from that family ; and they killed me for it!”

“You stabbed me.” Tommys voice waivers, but it’s barely noticeable. “You manipulated me, you kidnapped me, and then you fucking stabbed me. You call that caring?”

Dream takes two heavy steps forward, and Techno doesn’t hesitate. In mere moments, he’s standing between Tommy and Dream, staring the man head on with a stoic expression. His features are relaxed, but he hopes the white-knuckled fist and the wide stance was enough to let Dream know what he was messing with. For a long, agonizing handful of seconds, they just stare at each other. Sizing each other up. Techno can tell Dream was debating what to do.

Ultimately, the masked man takes a couple of steps back. Techno does the same, but stays close. Tommy, Techno chuckles at, is grinning, although he’s trying to hide it. “Human meat shield” he can practically hear him say, the brat.

“I dont want to kill you, Dream.” Tommy murmurs. “For a couple of reasons. One - I don’t want that shit on my conscious, not after everything you’ve made me do. Two - I think death is too easy for you. You pretend, but I spent enough time with you in Logsted to know that you’re MISERABLE in here. None of your friends have visited -
the one that did, Sapnap, you chased away.”

Tommy crosses his arms with a small grin. “I think you deserve to be sad in here. I think you deserve to go through the same hell you made me go through.”

And that was that.

Dream just stares. Techno, deciding that was more than enough emotion for today, turns to Tommy and asks a silent question. Tommy nods in response.

With a hand on Tommys shoulder, Techno leads the other back out towards the moving platform. In silence, they step on. The groaning of metals echoes below as they’re transported, slowly, back to Sam.

As the lava falls, and the pair look towards safety, Dream stands in his cell.

He watches. His fists clench by his side.

Techno knows, if he ever had the misfortune of seeing Dream outside of this prison, he would kill him.

For now, he focuses on Tommy. “Good job, Theseus.” He says gently, giving the others shoulder a squeeze.

When they get home, Wilbur and Phil will be proud of him, too. They’ll both give him noogies, Wilbur a whole hug. Phil will cook dinner, and they’ll eat together. Tommy will talk.

But, for now, in the dank prison, Tommy just gives him a bright grin in response.

Techno can’t help but ruffle his hair.

Notes:

i’m sorry the last chapter of this took so long!!! i could make excuses, but i just suck lol.

i really loved writing this fic and i may, in the future (or tomorrow if i get manic who knows) add onto it in a separate story? I like how this ended, and I’d like to keep it that way. But I also have some ideas i’d like to explore in the same universe; almost in a “spinoff” or “sequel” kinda way. not sure, i’d have to see how to format it.

i can practically promise i’ll end up writing some more tommy centric angst stuff tho lol. i have some ideas for some Awesamdad fics, some more sbi stuff ; i love tommy angst + found family. i will never have my full fix. so look out for that if ur interested!!

regardless, thank u guys sm for reading this. what pushed me to FINALLY finish this last chapter was knowing there was people that wanted it.

thank you!!! <3

Notes:

i wanted to write this whole thing b4 publishing it, but today’s stream got me feelin a whole lot so. here this is ig.

this is going to be multi-chaptered ; at least 3, but we’ll see how I feel and if I get more ideas :)

This is set about a week after the burning of LManberg. It’s canon-divergent, but more will be revealed in later chapters.

Thank you everyone for reading!!! I don’t have a beta-reader so I may go back and correct any mistakes I find in the future!

Series this work belongs to: