Actions

Work Header

Trust and Try

Summary:

“Are you the owner of the gallery?”

 

“No, I’m the curator here,” extending her hand she added, “Lilith. Lilith Porter”

 

The woman removed her gloves, shaking Lilith's hand and revealing her own perfectly manicured nails. Her palm was freezing and she winced as the warmth from Lilith's hand sent a mild electric shock through her nerves.

 

“Apologies, it’s positively Baltic outside. I’m Zelda Spellman. How do you do?”

Notes:

Set in a non-magical AU in the present day, Lilith works in a small art gallery in New York. When Zelda, a midwife and fine art enthusiast, happens upon the gallery they meet and...fun stuff happens.

Just FYI, the name Lilith Porter is one of Madam Satan's aliases in the original comics. It doesn't belong to me, but it suited her for the story.

Also, for a visual of the fashion side of things, think Lilith in Season 4 when she calls to the Spellman house to ask Sabrina to come back to Hell. That kind of elegance is the everyday wardrobe of this Lilith. That and the dominatrix leather jacket because we all love that, right? Right.

Chapter Text

“Excuse me, madam, how much is this one?”

Lilith turned sharply on her heel. The elderly couple who had spent the last hour perusing artwork were now pointing to a hideous portrait of a man’s face made from children’s handprints. Lilith briefly looked away, disguising an eye roll. It was true that the artist usually produced less rank looking pictures that sold steadily, but even so she wasn’t a fan and had only accepted it as a favour. Feigning interest, she smiled.


“That one is $3,500, but I’m afraid it was sold this afternoon. You’ll see from the red dot on the corner.” Half heartedly, she gestured with the pen she was holding towards the red sticker that indicated the couple were too late. 


The man furrowed his brow. “$3,500? Daylight robbery I say, it’s the size of a postage stamp!”


It was truthfully the size of an A4 page. Lilith sighed inwardly. “Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The client was looking for a smaller piece to add to his collection.”


“Well, he’s a fool!”

His voice rose an octave, suggesting he was used to attention and getting his own way. A searing boredom crawled through Lilith. She smiled sweetly, but a sparkle of acidity danced in her eyes as a warning that if the man continued with his uppity tone she would be forced to make him leave. The man turned to his wife as they talked in hush tones.

Pressing her leopard print kitten heels into the floor, Lilith racked her brains thinking of how she could make the couple leave faster. They had already delayed her closing the gallery by half an hour. Not that she had any pressing engagements to attend, but her time outside work was her own.
Gruffly, the man cleared his throat demanding her attention.


“My wife and I are looking to add to our own collection at home in London. We’ve seen everything there is in Britain, they know us on a first name basis in Christie's.” He winked obnoxiously at Lilith as if she couldn’t possibly understand the significance of having two such notable individuals in her tiny art gallery. "Could you suggest something? Bearing in mind that I am incredibly sensitive to texture and tone at the moment and my wife dislikes dark colours.”

His expression of displeasure was directed at Lilith's figure hugging black Chanel dress with a leopard print belt that matched her kitten heels. Trying to contain the smirk she felt tugging at the sides of her mouth, Lilith nodded towards the brightest painting there was.

"We do have a marvellous pastoral scene by a young Brooklyn artist just here.” She splayed her hands towards the pretty portrait that shimmered with emerald and sapphire tones.“The artist was influenced by Basquiat, which you can see in the blunt lines of the tree bark.” 


It was a charming picture, but Lilith knew this type of customer all too well and she sensed from his silence that this man was displeased with everyone and everything that he met. 


Scoffing, he remarked, “I don’t think so, my dear! The type of art we are accustomed to is more classical in style. Not the type that looks like it was done by a five year old with a toothbrush.”


Amusement oozed from every pore of Lilith’s face. Without hesitation, she retorted as politely as possible, “Might I suggest Collyer's Mansion in Brooklyn Heights then. We don’t appear to have anything that suits you and they do have a great deal of art on sale that you’re unlikely to find elsewhere.”


The man raised an eyebrow at her. “I see. We must be taking up too much of your time and not paying out extortionate amounts for low calibre art.”


Ignoring his comment, she simply said, “It’s now past 5pm and we’re closing. Is there anything further I can help you with?”


“Yes, can you explain why everything here is so expensive?”


Lilith stared blankly. 


“Here, as in here in this art gallery?”


“In general. In comparison to England.”


Again she stared blankly.


“The exchange rate would be the culprit there I imagine.” 


Tilting her head in mock sincerity, Lilith watched the man for a reaction. Huffing, he buttoned up his coat and ushered his wife out the door. A gush of winter air blew in in their place as the door closed behind them.


“Don’t let the most expensive door in New York hit you on the ass on the way out!"


“Great", Lilith said to the empty room, “I missed an early closing for that scintillating bit of conversation.”

The clock on the wall read 5.45pm. By the time she reached anywhere decent to eat it would be too late for most of the early bird dinners. Sighing, she uncrossed her legs and reached behind her to switch off the lights at the back of the room. The gallery was small, that was one of the things that attracted her to it when she first moved to New York. It was quaint, cosy and a ten minute walk from the brownstone building she rented in Bedford-Stuyvesant. The money was decent, but it was lonely. The size of the gallery meant she worked alone most days, something she hadn’t minded at the beginning, but it was getting monotonous heading into her second year there. Occasionally the owner sent a security guy to check in, but his incessant flirting made Lilith dread his appearances. She’d never show her fear, instead she masked it with an effortless cool that seemed to make him even more eager. Her attempts to persuade the owner to hire a part-timer she could train in had fallen on deaf ears, albeit they weren’t really making enough money to justify it and it was purely to keep her company. Still, it would be nice to have someone to talk to.

Getting up from behind the desk, she walked to the small rest room at the back of the gallery and switched off the lights. Glancing in the mirror, she ran her fingers through her immaculately curled hair, the light caught the warm copper tones that ran through it. Running the flat of her tongue over the front of her teeth, she smiled in approval of what she saw.


Taking up a pen, she marked off the end of the day on the calendar that hung on the door. Monday again. Another start to another week after a weekend spent painting various bars red and yet she returned home alone every night. Sure, she could pick someone up. Had plenty of offers too. Nobody piqued her interest. She had moved to New York because she didn’t fit in in her hometown, or anywhere else for that matter. Eventually she had decided it was better to stand out anyway. No town quite like The Big Apple to do that in. 


Walking back to the desk, she grabbed the keys and went to lock the door when she heard the soft jangling of the bell above it. Turning to tell the new entrant that they were closing she stopped in her tracks.


A woman sheathed in a black cape coat trundled in, her breath forming a misty vapour in front of her, indicating how cold it had turned outside. The woman smiled at Lilith.

“Hello, may I come in?”


Lilith hesitated. She wanted to go home. It had been such a long, tedious day with very few people and the previous couple had seriously grated on her last nerve. The woman was captivating though. The cape she wore gave her an air of mystery that made Lilith want to bid her welcome. She was wealthy by the look of her, seemed a bit snooty too. Ravishing though. Grey-blue eyes that seemed to sparkle in the light. The stray curls that escaped the confines of her hood told Lilith she was a redhead. Her favourite. She held the edges of her lapels up awaiting Lilith's instruction.


“We’re just closing, I’m afraid.”


“Oh, are you not open till 5?”


“We are, it’s a quarter to 6. I was delayed by a previous client.” Lilith winced at her own words. It hadn’t sounded as rude in her head, but it was out now. 


The redhead glanced down at her watch, her face falling as she realised it was in fact that time.


“So it is, I misread the damn thing. What time do you open tomorrow?”


“10.30am.”


The woman’s face creased in disappointment, suggesting that the hour didn’t suit her. Lilith strummed her fingertips against her hip with a hint of impatience.


“Were you looking for a particular piece?”


“Well...I was hoping to procure the large portrait in the window.”


She pointed to the piece that Lilith had ensured was displayed prominently as it was by far the nicest painting they had. Oil on canvas of two female figures captured in a heated embrace. The day Lilith showed it to the gallery owner, they had had the mother of all arguments. He disliked the painting, saying it was too abstract for their clientele. Lilith had expected nothing less from a man who believed a gold threaded suit was the height of fashion and proudly wore socks with sandals any time the weather was mild. Here was a sophisticated and altogether beautiful woman, who was not only interested in the painting, but was like a work of art herself. Secretly, Lilith had hoped someone like this would be the interested party. It made her work so much more engaging when the client was knowledgeable. 


“Ah, yes. Are you a collector of De Lacy? Come in, let me just lock the door behind you. If people see me let one person in, they’ll all be clamouring for the same treatment!” 


The woman laughed, but quickly added, “I don’t want to delay you though.”


“Not at all, what’s five minutes more?” Reaching past her, Lilith turned the heavy antiquated key in the lock and reversed the ‘OPEN' sign to read ‘CLOSED'. 


“I love her work. I didn’t know she had moved to Brooklyn, only I saw an ad online with a picture of the gallery showing this in the window. It’s exquisite.”


“It is," Lilith nodded “I had been eying it for my own collection, but it comes at a hefty price tag.”


“Oh?”


Lilith studied the woman trying to discern which part of the sentence had surprised her. Deciding it must be the latter she continued, “The piece is called Love Lock and it fetches in nicely at $25,000. So far we’ve had no takers.”


“But you want it too? I take it that leaves me at a slight disadvantage.”


“I do, but you can’t always get what you want.” Lilith offered a genteel smile that the woman reciprocated. It hadn’t escaped Lilith's notice that the woman seemed entirely unperturbed by the price, which was the one thing about the painting that most definitely perturbed Lilith herself.


“Are you the owner of the gallery?”


“No, I’m the curator here,” extending her hand she added, “Lilith. Lilith Porter”


The woman removed her gloves, shaking Lilith's hand and revealing her own perfectly manicured nails. Her palm was freezing and she winced as the warmth from Lilith's hand sent a mild electric shock through her nerves.


“Apologies, it’s positively Baltic outside. I’m Zelda Spellman. How do you do?”


Lilith quirked an eyebrow at the sweetly eccentric manner. “Excellent, thank you and you?”


Zelda looked as though she may have been about to say something, but swiftly thought better of it. 


“Relieved to be allowed in. I had intended to be in the area hours ago, but the weather has caused all types of disruption to the traffic.”


Grimacing, Lilith realised Zelda must not be a local if she found the weather to be the main source of gridlock.


“Glad I could help. Are you in New York for business or pleasure, Ms Spellman?”


Zelda stared at her quizzically. A subtly sly smile crept onto her features.


“Both, hopefully. Although the chances of that have significantly lessened in the last hour. I was supposed to meet a client in Bedford-Stuyvesant several hours ago – I’m a midwife and my most recent mother-to-be went into labour prematurely – but she’s fine now, as is the baby.”


Lilith nodded slowly, her interest dissipating at the mention of childbirth and babies. Pursing her lips together, she waited for the woman to say something more, whilst hoping no one else would attempt to come in.


“I’m in New York for the next few days should she need me and I was hoping to procure this before I leave.”


Zelda glanced again at the painting and when Lilith made no further remark  she asked, “Can I leave a deposit with you, or...do you require payment in full?"


“Normally, yes, it’s full payment upfront. However, as you are a collector, I can set it aside if you’re willing to leave a 20% deposit.”

This was a lie. Lilith decided it was ethical because so few of the clients had such exquisitely good taste. She also wanted to see the woman again and sensed that the feeling was mutual. 


“I can leave 50% today.” Zelda reached inside a rather magnificent handbag, which Lilith identified as being calfskin and a rare brand from the continent. Producing a chequebook, Zelda’s brow creased as she searched for a pen. Flourishing the one she was holding at her, Lilith enquired, “Are you sure?”


“Thank you. It’s the least I can do, you’ve been kind enough to allow me in well after closing.”


“It’s my pleasure.” Lilith replied. Zelda looked up at her. Lilith was walking to the desk and removing a record book to take note of the deposit, but her eyes were firmly fixed on Zelda as she moved. She was difficult to read, but she was by far the most intriguing person to come into the gallery in quite some time. Lilith liked a challenge and there were so few of them nowadays. 


“Is there a time limit on when I need to pay the other half?” Zelda enquired as she signed her name on the back of the cheque before tearing it off and running her thumb along the stub as if making a mental note of the purchase. Handing the paper and pen to Lilith, their eyes met again.


“Within 30 days from today’s date.” Lilith took the cheque, stamped it and filed it in the safe behind the desk.


“As is standard. I wasn’t sure if you had special requirements.”


Turning to face Zelda, Lilith raised an eyebrow. Reminding herself of where she was, she silenced the thought that had surfaced.


“No, no special requirements. Do you need it delivered?”


“No, thank you. I live very near here, I’ll carry it.”


Lilith looked at her inquisitively. “Are you sure? It’s heavier than it looks.”


“Very sure. I’ve carried much heavier things all over New York. Thank you, though.”


So, she was a frequent enough visitor then. Lilith smiled, pleased at the prospect.


“As you wish.” Then, after a pause, “Is there anything else I can help you with?”


For a few moments, there was silence. Zelda watched her, Lilith felt the tension and anticipation growing. 


“Not today. Although...” she trailed off, looking as though she hadn’t meant to say the words aloud.
 I’ll be in the area over the coming days. Are you expecting any new work to be delivered?”


Lilith considered the question and how long it had taken the woman to concoct it in the spur of the moment. 


“Not presently, though that could change at any time. Is there something you’re hoping for?”


Zelda gestured to the painting, “If anything in a similar vein arrives, I’d appreciate it if you could let me know.” Reaching into her wallet, she pulled out a card and extended it forward. Lilith's eyes flickered down to read the elegant embossed italic type:


Zelda Spellman
Midwife Services
1800 5477 69 5477


A tasteful illustration of the expectant female form in silhouette decorated the side of the card. Lifting her gaze, Lilith smiled. "I will” she assured.


“Thank you. You’ve been most helpful. I’ll leave you in peace now.”


Lilith stood to let the woman out. As she opened the door the bell jangled again and Zelda glanced up at it. 


“Good evening, Ms Porter.”


“Good evening, Ms Spellman. Take care.”


Zelda smirked at her and for a moment Lilith was tempted to enquire as to her plans, but stopped herself. Watching the woman saunter up the three steps to ground level, Lilith admired her cape once more and the way it moved with her. 


Plucking the painting from the window, Lilith brought it to the desk and fixed a red sticker to the frame. Taking it to the safe at the rear of the gallery, she typed in the security code and concealed it amongst the shelves reserved for clientele. Returning to clear her desk, she picked up her bag and coat and switched off the remaining lights. As she set the alarm, locked the door and heard the metallic clang of the shutter, she wondered when Zelda would return to collect the painting. The woman was impressive. Even without knowing much about her, she had a presence that was tough to forget. Lilith smiled. Priding herself on yet another job well done, she made her way up to the streets of Brooklyn and headed for her own apartment .

Chapter 2: II

Summary:

“I really do appreciate the call, I do hope it wasn’t any trouble for you to organise this?”

Snapping back to her senses, Lilith turned to look at her. “Not at all, it’s my job to look after our patrons and any special requests they may have. If you don’t mind, I’ll lock the door? Just to prevent anyone from straying in past closing.”

“Of course. That’s the reason I came early, I didn’t want to keep you from your evening.”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

On her way home that evening, Lilith dawdled into Manhattan. The metropolis never failed to revitalise her after a tiring day and there was no shortage of sights to see. The novelty of living alone in one of the world’s busiest cities meant that she was a free agent. The independence was thrilling, especially given how little she had when she first arrived in New York. She wasn’t wealthy now either, but she had the essentials and a little left over for savings.

Making her way through the bustling streets, she folded her arms and gathered the edges of her jacket closer to her. It was cold, but not snowing yet. Watching the lights flashing ahead of her, she turned abruptly onto Fifth Avenue and stopped in front of her favourite shop window. Everything about Cartier made Lilith smile; from the red canopy blinds that framed the windows, to the mansion that housed the jewels themselves. The sparkling diamonds set in their boxes were like glittering reminders that anything is possible if you work hard enough. After a few moments more, she turned back towards the subway and caught her train home.

One of the most enchanting things about Bedford-Stuyvesant is the beautiful brownstone buildings that occupy its streets. When first cut, the stone is a warm coral pink. This quickly weathers into a luxuriously rich tan colour due to the hematite iron ore that constitutes part of it. Growing up, Lilith had learned this fact from her grandmother who was born and raised in the very building that Lilith lived in and which still stands in Lafayette. Making her way up the steps of the townhouse she called home, Lilith removed her keys from her pocket and inserted them into the antiquated lock. There was a growing chill in the December air, but she didn’t mind it so much. Knowing that she had such a lovely place to reside made her smile. Recounting the fact about the stone that surrounded her never failed to give Lilith a sense of security. The idea that something could change so rapidly, yet remain solid and sturdy, had captivated her imagination as a child and she remained fascinated by it now.

Climbing the staircase to the top floor, she sighed loudly upon entering the living room. Wearily, she took off her jacket, draping it over a branch of the empty coat stand behind the door. Walking to the fridge, she stopped suddenly and rolled her eyes as she remembered that she had no food in. She reached for the phone.

“Yes, hello. Can I place an order for delivery please? Yes, the usual.”

It was clear from Lilith’s appearance that she took care of herself in every way that one can. This extended to customs such as indulging in her favourite takeaway once a week, or if for any reason it had slipped her mind to buy food. She very rarely became distracted by anyone or anything such was her sharpness of mind and self-awareness. However, she was human and supposed it was only natural to be distracted now and again, so long as it was warranted. Things that fell into that category included commissioning a new piece for a wealthy investor or working out how much profit the gallery would make on a particular piece. Or exceptionally beautiful strangers who happened upon her just as she was attempting to close.

“Great, thank you.”

Clicking the phone off, she poured herself some red wine and took a seat on one of the tall counter stools. Turning on the sound system next to her, Lilith selected the soundtrack to Can You Ever Forgive Me. Ambient jazz tones filled the apartment, softly echoing into each room through the speakers.

The rooms in Lilith’s apartment were not overly huge, but they were comfortable and two of the windows afforded her great light; one in the living room and the other in the bedroom. From where she sat in the kitchen, she glanced at the easel in the living room. Getting up, Lilith moved to where it stood, draped in a protective tarpaulin. Lifting the cover, she stepped back and tilted her head in consideration. It was a piece she had been working on for months and had only completed it two nights previous. An assortment of mediums littered the coffee table behind it, everything from watercolours to gouache to colouring pencils. This piece, the largest she had created thus far, was oil on canvas. Although she liked them very much, oils were a newer medium for Lilith. She frequently mixed them with other methods, but this was only her second attempt working with them alone.

Recalling Zelda’s request, Lilith thoughtfully stroked the line-work that stood out in relief from the canvas. Curiosity tugged at her and she searched her handbag for the business card she had been given. Brushing her fingers over the embossed type, Lilith pondered the information Zelda had supplied.

A midwife whose services were needed in Bedford-Stuyvesant at the last minute.

It seemed a bit odd. She bit her lip as the visual of Zelda’s exquisite features returned to her. The word “midwife” stood out like a sore thumb. Midwifery didn’t strike Lilith as a particularly wealthy profession and yet, if Zelda’s apparel was any indication, she clearly had money. Of course, she could be wealthy from other things, but there was something unusual about her that made Lilith want to know more. Recalling the look the woman gave her when she asked if there was anything else she could help with, Lilith smirked. Confidence in her abilities at the art of seduction was one of her strongest suits and it had been at that moment that she knew it was working.

Moving into the bedroom, she replayed the conversation in her mind as she stepped into the en-suite bathroom to remove her makeup. Lathering her skin, she thought of how Zelda had made a point of giving her the option to call should any more artwork arrive that was like the one she had paid a deposit for. Lilith had to fight tooth and nail to convince the owner to display Love Lock. Of course, now that it was practically sold perhaps another acquisition would be easier than the first. The owner could certainly be persuaded if he knew that there was a wealthy patron who was solely interested in this artist’s style. A playful smile danced over Lilith’s lips. Perhaps she would have to see what could be done about that. Scooping her long, wavy hair back into a loose ponytail, Lilith changed into a silk nightdress and dressing gown. The doorbell sounded downstairs and she quickly padded her way down to collect her food.

A few hours later, as Lilith sat at her kitchen counter picking at the remains of her chicken satay, her gaze fell on the finished canvas again. Sipping her wine, her brilliant baby blue eyes flashed. A sure sign that an idea was forming.

 


 

The following day at the gallery began much like any other. A few souls passed through, inquiring as to the price of this painting and that portrait, but nothing remarkable occurred and ultimately there were very few sales. Lilith felt the time drag, which was exacerbated by her constant watching of the clock. Lunch time arrived and she scampered to close a few minutes early. Ensuring the gallery was empty, she quickly opened the safe and checked the shelves. Smiling, she locked it again and reached for her handbag, pulling the business card out of it. Dialing furtively, she licked her lips.

“Hello?”

The woman’s tone was somewhat brusque, but Lilith suspected it was because of the unknown number that had popped up on her phone.

“Hello, Ms Spellman. This is Lilith Porter from Agora Art Gallery in Brooklyn.”

“Oh, hello. And what can I do for you, Ms Porter?”

Lilith smiled at the change in tone. Considerably softer with a hint of delight. The woman remembered her.

“It’s more a case of what I can do for you. You mentioned that you wished to be contacted should we receive any artwork that was similar to your most recent purchase with us. We’ve been fortunate to acquire an exclusive piece from the same artist and I wondered if you would like to view it before I display it publicly?”

The silence on the other end was exactly the effect Lilith had intended. A tentative grin formed at the corners of her mouth as she heard the woman gasp softly.

“Why yes, I would!” A delicate laugh travelled down the earpiece as Zelda continued, “when would be suitable?”

“Well, as it is an exclusive, it would need to be outside of working hours. Would 5.30pm this evening be convenient?”

“Yes, that would be perfect! Uh, do I need to bring anything?”

“Not at all, I remember you. No identification necessary.”

Zelda hummed, a light laugh escaping her and a shiver spilled down Lilith’s spine making her glad to be alone in the gallery.

“Thank you, Ms Porter, I appreciate it greatly…” the sound of a breath being drawn in made Lilith pause, listening carefully. It sounded as if Zelda was about to say something more but had stopped short.

“My pleasure. Until this evening then.”

“Until this evening.”

Lilith placed the phone down and lifted her head to see a woman who was most definitely not Zelda standing at the locked front door. The sign clearly stated CLOSED FOR LUNCH, OPEN AT 3, yet the expression that faced her told Lilith that this person either could not read or didn’t want to. Sighing heavily, she moved to open the door.

“Hello, I’m afraid we’re closed for lunch and will be back open at 3.”

Scowling, the woman turned and walked away. With a lengthy eye-roll, Lilith locked the door and retreated to the rear of the room where she couldn’t be spotted and ate her lunch.

The afternoon seemed to tick by torturously slowly with Lilith praying that no one would delay her today. If they did, she would be sure to stand her ground and close at the correct time. Around 4.45pm, two people trickled in and Lilith could feel impatience swelling in her gut. Generally speaking, most people spent roughly half an hour in the gallery, unless they were seriously interested in buying in which case they could be there for hours. Concealing her annoyance with a smile, she welcomed them and swiftly said, “just to let you know I will be closing in ten minutes, I’m a little short-staffed today.” The couple were nice and assured her they only wanted to peek at a particular painting. Less than five minutes later, they politely showed themselves out. Lilith almost felt bad for her abruptness. Almost, but not quite.

Locking up, she drew the shutter down halfway so she could still see out for when the woman arrived.

Inside the small water closet at the back of the gallery, Lilith fixed her makeup and ran a teasing comb through her dark curls. After reapplying her lipstick, she placed an index finger in between her teeth, pressed her lips together and drew her finger out slowly to remove any excess lipstick that could stain her teeth. Eyes roving over the image of herself in the mirror, she felt a rush of excitement course through her. In the mirror, Lilith caught sight of a pair of high-heeled black ankle boots reflected in the glass panes in the front door. It was only ten minutes past the hour. Perhaps this wasn’t her. Making her way over, Lilith opened the door and lifted the shutter. It was Zelda.

“Hello, I’m a little early…” she said apologetically, extending her hand.

Taking it, Lilith smiled warmly and replied, “Please, do come in.” Gesturing to the empty space, she stood back to let her past. Zelda stepped inside, bringing with her a heady scent that caused Lilith to linger, holding onto the door frame as she inhaled quietly.

“I really do appreciate the call, I do hope it wasn’t any trouble for you to organise this?”

Snapping back to her senses, Lilith turned to look at her. “Not at all, it’s my job to look after our patrons and any special requests they may have. If you don’t mind, I’ll lock the door? Just to prevent anyone from straying in past closing.”

“Of course. That’s the reason I came early, I didn’t want to keep you from your evening.”

Lilith flinched a little, but immediately tried to disguise it. Her evening consisted of very little and nothing that required her immediate attention. Briefly, she wondered if she had misread the woman. Her mind raced and when she found no response suitable, Lilith simply smiled.

Walking to the safe, she entered the code and waited for the dull, mechanical clang that meant it was ready to be opened. Retrieving the painting, she hoisted it onto a plinth that stood against the nearby wall and removed the covering. Standing back, she interlaced her fingers behind her and watched.

Zelda made no utterance, but her face was awash with concentration and an emotion that Lilith couldn’t read. Studying the painting carefully, she stepped forward an inch before turning to look back at Lilith inquisitively.

“By all means, stand as close as you like.” Lilith smiled congenially. Zelda looked ridiculously peng and she appeared to be wearing more makeup than the previous day, despite not needing to. Carefully coiffed and set curls surrounded her alabaster face, making her look like a movie star from the 1950’s. She wore emerald drop earrings that glinted under the gallery lights and Lilith noted how the woman’s eyes put the gems to shame.

“It’s exquisite. Truly.”

“Hmm? Yes, the artist was particularly proud of this one.” Lilith bit her tongue, wanting to say more, but not wanting to pressurise the woman in any way.

“As she should be. Dare I ask how much this one is?”

“Ah. Now that is something we’d need to discuss.”

Zelda looked at her. “Oh?”

“De Lacy has been working on this for quite some time. Longer than any other thus far and she wanted it to be made clear that this is quite a personal piece. For that reason and somewhat unusually, the price is negotiable.”

Zelda’s eyes widened. Turning her gaze back to the painting, she seemed to consider her words before she said them.

“I’m intrigued as to who this is,” she nodded at the woman’s face in the portrait. “Did she tell you?”

Again, Lilith noticed how unperturbed Zelda appeared at the mention of money. Most clients wore their hearts on their sleeves when it came to talk of price. A few attempted to haggle, to no avail. Zelda did neither. Her expression was soft and unbothered. Lilith could see the cogs in her mind working as she imagined which room this piece would look best in.

Lilith studied the face on the canvas. “I’m afraid I don’t know much about the subject, other than she was someone who inspired the artist. A muse, I suppose.”

Despite how enraptured Zelda was with the painting, she heard a different quality creep into Lilith’s voice. A sadness that didn’t fit the woman’s demeanour. A concerned glance from her caused Lilith to recover her chipper tone.

“I can certainly… enquire about it if you wish to know more?”

“Yes, I do. I really love it. The colours, especially the eyes, they’re captivating.”

Yes, Lilith thought, they are.

“I would so love to discuss a price with you.”

Lilith’s expression brightened a little. Waving her hand towards the desk, she offered, “shall we?”

“Actually…” Zelda started. Her palms pressed together as though she was praying with her thumbs resting against her lips. Casting her eyes down, she looked radiant, like some sort of angelic vision from a book Lilith had read and couldn’t recall the name of. Lilith stopped where she was, her gaze curious.

“I can pay the balance on the first painting tomorrow, but I won’t be able to pay what this one is worth until the end of the month.”

Lilith’s eyebrows furrowed.

“What this one is worth?” she asked, her voice lilting in surprise.

“Well, Love Lock is $25,000. This one must be in and around the same, if not more surely? It’s larger for a start.”

Lilith blinked.

“True, the canvas is larger, but that does not necessarily dictate the price. At least not always. This contains one subject, the other contains two.”

“Yes, and I’m inclined to think this one is more meaningful.”

Cocking her head to one side, Lilith took this in. Zelda wasn’t haggling with her, but she wasn’t entirely sure what she was getting at.

“May I ask what makes you think that?”

“The artist has a pattern; I assume it’s a pattern anyway. Her paintings that feature more than one subject are often fantasy-based and erotic in nature. Most of her work is in this style, but every so often there comes a portrait of a single individual and I have seen the woman in this one before.”

“Oh, really?” Lilith asked quietly.

“Yes. Whoever this woman is, she means something to the artist. The eyes give it away. I wouldn’t want to make an offer under what it’s worth.”

Lilith contemplated this in silence. So, Zelda hadn’t been exaggerating when she said she loved the artist’s work. Nor did she appear to want a discount. In fact, it sounded like she truly appreciated the work and understood that value is not always present in price.

When Lilith made no further comment, Zelda spoke up.

“If the artist has a figure in mind, I’d be happy to pay it, but I’m afraid it wouldn’t be until the end of the month. Are you obligated to display it sooner than that?”

Lilith mulled this over swiftly.

“I’m sure some agreement can be reached. I’ll see what I can do.”

“Are you sure? If it’s any trouble…”

“Not at all, I assure you. I’ll keep it in the safe for the meantime.”

As she returned the painting back under its covering and stowed it away, Lilith smiled at Zelda but felt a little like she’d been winded. The negotiation was nothing like what she had imagined and for the first time in a long while she felt unsure of what to do next. Locking the safe, her eyes darted around in front of her. Feeling Zelda’s eyes on her, Lilith turned to face her. In the dim light of the gallery, the redhead seemed to glow.

Zelda stepped forward and made a show of putting her gloves back on. Watching her, Lilith realised she was about to say something.

“Are you busy tonight?”

The question jarred in Lilith’s mind. All the nothingness she was up to began to tear at her.

“Oh yes,” turning to switch off the lights, she continued with a fine air of sarcasm, “I’m about to lock up here and then there’s a marvellous evening of sitting ahead of me, so that should be fun. Might go for a walk first.”

Zelda stared at her, her expression shifting from amusement to mock horror. “In that?” she looked over her shoulder at the icy fog that loomed outside.

Arching a brow, Lilith conceded, “Well, probably not a long walk, but I need to pick up some food on my way home.”

Zelda’s eyes flickered up at her.

“Do you know of any good places nearby?”

Lilith started. Unsure of what was meant, she asked “For...food, or?”

Zelda adjusted the faux fur collar of her cape nervously. “Well, yes and alcohol.”

She was so matter of fact about this that Lilith’s mouth brokered into a grin.

“There’s a jazz bar four blocks down called Zinc, it’s cosy, good atmosphere. If you wanted something busier, there’s-"

“That sounds perfect. Is there a dress code?”

“Yes, classy, elegant. Your outfit made me think of it actually.”

Zelda stopped jostling her coat collar as she regarded Lilith with intrigue.

“It sounds wonderful.” Zelda paused. “Will you join me?”

In a different context, Lilith would have considered the offer wildly inappropriate, but she knew Zelda was only in town for a few days and she had arranged this meeting in the hopes that they would arrive at this point.

“Sounds good.”

Fixing the belt of her coat, Lilith slung her handbag over one shoulder and turned off the remaining lights before unlocking the door. Zelda stepped out, priming herself behind the brim of her cape. Lilith set the alarm, locked the door from the outside and pulled down the shutter with a loud mechanical clang. Gesturing for Zelda to ascend the three short steps, Lilith waited, admiring the view. As she followed her up to ground level, a self satisfied grin appeared on Lilith’s face.

Notes:

Thank you for all the nice comments on the first chapter! I was a little taken aback by the response (in a good way). Critique and feedback is always welcome.

Chapter 3: III

Summary:

“I’m only in town until Friday,” she blurted out, “and um, I hope you won’t think me terribly forward, but… I’m torn between wanting to get to know you better and…”

Lilith raised an eyebrow. Balancing her chin against her palm she met Zelda’s eyes with a stare so intense she saw the woman turn a wonderful shade of crimson right in front of her. Teasingly she fluttered her eyelashes in feigned innocence.

“And?”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The winter air enshrouded the streets like a veil dimming the lights in the distance. Snow was forecast over the coming week, but possibly sooner if the sting from the air was any indication. The two women walked side-by-side and Zelda noticed Lilith wrapping her arms around herself as a shield from the bitter elements.

“How long have you worked in the gallery?”

“Two years this January. It’s not MoMA but it’s a handy little number. Whereabouts did you travel from to get here?”

“Boston, although New York is home.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yes, I grew up in Tribeca, but I’m rarely around to see it now.”

Lilith smiled at how right she had been about Zelda. She was rarely mistaken in recognising wealth, even when efforts were made to conceal it. There were certain indicators in voice, manners and a general aura, most of these the person themselves would be unaware of. Zelda was nice though, friendlier than Lilith initially thought, if a bit on the prim side.

“What about you?”

“I’m from a tiny town in the middle of nowhere...Wisconsin,” Lilith offered vaguely. “I’ve lived in New York for the past two years.”

“Did you move here for the job?” Zelda enquired. Earnest though she was, Lilith smirked a little at the idea that anyone would move to this city to work in the smallest art gallery around.

“I needed a change of scenery, the gallery happened to be looking for someone at the same time. Kismet, I suppose! And who could get bored of this?” she opened her arms wide towards the lights of Manhattan, which were now glaringly bright as they arrived closer to the centre.

Zelda smiled, “True, although I’m a tad biased.”

Arriving at the bar, Lilith lead the way, turning to walk down a few steps where they were greeted with a building that was drenched in ivy on the outside. Herbaceous scents, abundant and welcoming filled the air and seemed to beckon them into the vibrant red interior. An equally colourful bartender welcomed them warmly with a courteous bow.

“Ladies, please make yourselves at home. How do you do, madam? Are you a friend of Lilith’s?” The barman shook Zelda’s hand, giving Lilith a familiar wink.

Zelda’s eyebrows lifted, a smile deepening with a hint of mischief present, “Excellent, thank you. We’re uh…just acquainted and...Ms. Porter kindly informed me that this gem existed.”

The barman’s face lit up in amusement and he shot Lilith a meaningful look, which she returned with a wide-eyed stare, imploring him to behave.

“Well, Ms. Porter is one of our most beloved patrons, I’ve heard so much about her art gallery, but I’ve yet to pay her a visit. I believe she’s one of the most influential art dealers this city has to offer.”

Zelda shot Lilith an inquisitive look. Embarrassed, but also pleased at the effort her friend was making on her behalf, Lilith quickly chipped in.

“My friend here would have you believe many things about me that aren’t quite true.”

Zelda chuckled, “Hmm. And your friend is?”

Forgetting her manners, Lilith blushed a little. “Forgive me. This is Daniel. Daniel, this is Ms. Spellman.”

Zelda shook the man’s hand warmly, “Call me Zelda.”

Lilith smiled and looked away until she realised Zelda had directed this at her and had placed her hand on her arm to emphasise it.

“Zelda.” Lilith corrected herself. She felt the syllables roll off her tongue. It wasn’t a name one heard every day and she enjoyed how it sounded. "Call me Lilith," she added, to which Zelda nodded with pleasure.

Taking a seat at the bar, Lilith spoke up, “Daniel, could you please make Zelda here any drink her heart desires? She’s just arrived in from Boston and I’m eager to learn more about her.”

“Of course, milady! And for you, the usual?”

“Please!”

“What’s your usual, pray?” Zelda interjected as she took the seat next to her.

“Green Spot whiskey, straight.” Lilith replied.

Zelda drew breath excitedly as though this was a challenge. “A whiskey drinker, eh?”

Lilith raised an eyebrow in amusement. “I’ve been known to sip the hair of the pup on occasion. Do you care for it yourself?”

“I don’t mind it, but I’ve never tried Green Spot. What makes it so good?”

“It’s creamy, goes down smoother than any other kind.” Lilith stated this as fact and Zelda smiled seeing that there was no point in arguing.

“Well, in that case, I’ll have the same.” Zelda beamed as her eyes darted around the bar, delighted with what she saw. “This place is wonderful. I love art deco and jazz.”

“Me too. They have live gigs most nights. The band is incredible.” Lilith pointed to a stage at the back of the bar that was kitted out with drums and a mic stand.

Licking her lips in anticipation, Lilith watched as Daniel poured a generous helping into two glasses, which he skilfully slid outwards to both women.

“Enjoy, ladies. Call me if you need anything.”

“Thank you!” Zelda smiled. “Well, he’s certainly in the right job,” she looked at Lilith who fixed her with a meaningful stare and raised her glass. Zelda raised her glass and nudged it against Lilith’s creating a resounding clink.

Lilith laughed, “He is.”

“He said the gallery is yours?”

“It’s not. The owner has made that quite clear.” Lilith investigated her whiskey, the confident mask she had worn thus far looked a little less certain, but only for a moment. “I have the authority to make executive decisions in his absence, but I am essentially, the manager.”

Narrowing her eyes, Zelda looked to the barman again. He was serving other patrons, but every so often Zelda saw him watching Lilith. It wasn’t a look of attraction, rather there was something protective about it that Lilith didn’t seem aware of.

“I work all on my own.” Lilith purposefully widened her eyes and briefly pursed her lips in a faux sad expression. “A fact I frequently bemoan when I drop by this place.”

“Can you hire an assistant?”

“The big man upstairs says we can’t afford it. He doesn’t seem keen on me keeping company.” Lilith sighed. “Hungry?”

Their eyes met and Zelda seemed to consider whether there was a hidden meaning for a moment.

“Not yet, perhaps in a while. Unless you are.”

Picking a straw from the canister nearby, Lilith plopped it into her drink and seized it between her lips. “I can certainly wait. Better to wet the whistle before whetting the appetite.”

Zelda spluttered, spraying small droplets of whiskey in front of her. Lilith sipped her drink looking very amused with herself.

“Oh dear, was that my fault?” she asked, reaching for some napkins to dab the spillage.

“Yes! As I think you are aware.”

“Oh?” batting her eyelids, Lilith handed her some clean napkins, which Zelda plucked from her and began dabbing at the sides of her mouth. Zelda was grinning despite herself.

A low laugh formed in Lilith’s throat. “I introduced you to Daniel as Miss....am I right?”

“You are.”

Lilith smiled smugly as she supped the whiskey.

“Are you?” Zelda enquired.

Swallowing, Lilith ran her tongue along the inside of her top lip. “Yes.”

“Another thing we have in common.”

Lilith chuckled. “How long have you been a midwife?” she asked with genuine interest.

“Nearly thirty years, it runs in my family.”

Lilith nodded, trying to figure out a diplomatic way of uncovering the source of Zelda’s exquisite appearance and accoutrements. It didn’t come from birthing babies, of that she felt sure.

“My mother was a midwife, and her mother before her, and her mother and so on. For at least seven generations.”

“Ah. So, you’re carrying the mantle now? Do you enjoy it?”

Zelda turned her mouth up slightly at the question, but she cast her eyes to the ceiling as she thought about it for a moment.

“Enjoy it? No, that’s not the way I’d describe it. It’s more like...a duty. It has to be done. Women still die in childbirth every day. Many of the women I work with feel misunderstood by doctors. They trust someone who has the business of labour and birthing running in their veins more.”

“That’s quite a responsibility. Admirable though. If I were that way inclined, I’d certainly trust a midwife over a doctor.”

Zelda nodded. “By that way inclined, do you mean having children?”

“Yes, it’s never occurred to me to have a child. I’m not sure why some people are in such a rush to have them,” Lilith shrugged, “my family used to say that I wouldn’t always feel that way, but it hasn’t changed.”

Lilith noticed Zelda watching her intently as though she was hanging on her every word, which she was. Taking a sip from her glass, Zelda nodded, “I understand that. I’m not particularly interested in children either. My niece and nephew are the only ones I’m fond of and neither of them are children anymore. My sister and I raised them both.”

“Oh?” Lilith cocked an eyebrow, “so you technically have had children?”

“Effectively, yes. My niece is...well, she’s a smart girl, but very stubborn. She’s 16 and can’t be told what to do by anyone.” Zelda rolled her eyes and a look of exhaustion at having to deal with said niece crossed her features before quickly evaporating. “My nephew is a lot older, more sensible with it,” she smiled. “I love them dearly but raising them cured me of any desire to have my own children.”

Lilith absorbed the information with growing interest. Normally it was a struggle for her to find someone with whom conversation flowed this easily. The subject of children wouldn’t normally pique her interest, but Zelda spoke about her work with a frankness that was refreshing. Above them the ceiling vibrated with the music that spilled from the speakers with Parov Stelar at his finest.

“And may I ask what brought you to Boston?”

“Work; I teach linguistics at the university. I completed a PhD on the different dialects of languages in Eastern Europe. That’s the passion, midwifery is the calling.”

A teacher. So, her salary was stable, but not enough to make her affluent. Nonplussed by this, Lilith contemplated asking more, but she felt like she was close to crossing a boundary if she kept prying as to the source of Zelda’s wealth. Reminding herself that the woman wasn’t here for long, she decided it was best to let the topic lie.

“Hmm, so you’re something of a regular here?” Zelda asked.

Running her fingers around the rim of the glass, Lilith made a mental note to have a word with the barman another time for revealing more than she wanted Zelda to know.

“Every now and then. The food is good. If I’m not busy it’s nice to take myself out occasionally.”

Zelda was still watching her with curiosity. The look seemed to communicate something else that Lilith couldn’t read, but she suspected it was a question the woman wanted to ask.

“Penny for your thoughts?” Lilith asked with a coy grin. Nervous laughter peeled from Zelda as she took another sip of whiskey.

“Nothing, I just...”

Lilith watched her intently. The woman was radiant, but there was a sternness to her that was almost comical. It wasn’t constant. When she allowed herself to get into the rhythm of conversation, or if she was listening carefully the guard dropped a little. If Lilith hadn’t known any better, she would have suspected that this was a trait Zelda was completely unaware of. Right now, she was too busy struggling to form a question or observation to notice Lilith watching her like this.

Breaking the silence, Lilith suddenly declared, “I actually am quite hungry now.”

Zelda glanced to her side and saw a stack of menus on top of the bar. Reaching over, she took two, handing one to Lilith.

“What would you recommend?”

“Everything.” Lilith responded instantly to which Zelda laughed.

“Everything?”

“Yes, the menu’s short and sweet. They’ve picked a few things they do really well and that’s what they stick to. My go to is filet mignon with fries and steamed vegetables, the seafood is wonderful too.”

At that moment the same barman flourished a cocktail menu in front of them.

“Ladies, can I tempt you?”

They looked at each other and Zelda said, “I’m game if you are.”

“Why not? An old fashioned and the filet mignon, please and thank you.”

“And for you, Miss Zelda?”

“Hmm, the sweet potatoes with the pan-fried chicken for me. Skewered. Please.”

Out of the corner of her eye, Zelda saw Lilith break into a wide grin. The barman clamped both lips against his teeth to conceal his laughter.

“That’s all for now, thank you, Daniel.” Lilith urged him away.

“My pleasure wouldn’t want to get in the way of you having a good time,” he whispered as she playfully slapped his arm.

Returning her gaze to Zelda, Lilith saw the woman’s eyes had dilated considerably. Perhaps it was the dim lighting. Possibly it was the effect of the whiskey. Or maybe, just maybe it was her.

The food and cocktails arrived. Realising she was hungrier than she thought, Zelda tucked into her pan-fried chicken and sweet potatoes while Lilith made short work of her steak.

“What does a woman like you do when she’s not busy influencing the masses to buy the best art in New York?”

“I love going to the theatre, I trained as an actor many moons ago” Lilith offered, “the museums are fabulous, I try to go to a new one every weekend. Even after two years in the city I’m still not halfway through them all.” Pausing to take a bite of her food, she felt a strange pull to reveal that painting was a big hobby. Shaking the thought off, she reminded herself for the second time that this woman was only visiting, and the next few days would probably involve at least one more meeting, but the whole thing was transient as far as she was concerned.

“Do you still act?”

Lilith laughed, “No, I was told by a casting director that I don’t have a face for screen or stage. It was too difficult to cast someone with such strong features, so I left it behind.”

Zelda looked horrified. “I can’t believe someone said that to you. That’s ridiculous.”

“That’s the way some things go. I’ve made peace with it. To be honest, trying to make it as a starving actor in this city would probably have been a tall order.” Lilith was non-plussed, but she noted Zelda looked offended on her behalf. It was almost as though the comment had been directed at her rather than at Lilith.

Deciding a change of subject was for the best, Lilith quickly segued, “So, tell me, Zelda, what does a woman like you – a midwife and lecturer with a taste for the finer things in life – enjoy doing in her spare time?”

Snapping back to the present moment, Zelda’s eyes met Lilith’s and they both smiled.

“I read a lot, classics mostly, philosophy and feminism when time allows. I enjoy going for walks, old movies, I love art, as you’ve probably surmised. Although I’m not talented in that area myself. I love dogs, well all animals really.”

Lilith made no response, but something about her expression told Zelda that wasn’t entirely the answer she was looking for. Zelda lifted her old fashioned to her lips and momentarily seemed about to sip it when she suddenly placed it back down next to her plate. Noticing the redhead becoming slightly nervous, Lilith followed her eyeline but could see no one and nothing out of the ordinary. After a few seconds, Zelda spoke again.

“Could we go over there? To the booths.”

A wicked smile lit up Lilith’s distinctive features. “Of course.” They walked over to the small range of booths that were sequestered underneath the slanted ceiling. Scanning the ones that were available, Lilith pointed to one at the back that was slightly separate from the rest and Zelda quickly nodded in agreement.

The walk down wasn’t long, but Lilith made the most of it. The saunter in her step as she led the way was a move she always enjoyed revelling in. Usually, it was topped off by catching her dates face as she wiggled into her seat. Men and women alike often appeared entranced by her, but most of the time the expression was quickly masked by civility.

Sliding into the leather cushioning by the wall, Lilith saw Zelda’s expression shift. It hadn’t been what she expected at all. The woman looked at her with unabashed desire and Lilith couldn’t help but smile. Biting her bottom lip to keep the grin from becoming obscene, she gestured to the empty seat across from her. Zelda exhaled as if to steady herself before taking her seat.

“I’m only in town until Friday,” she blurted out, “and um, I hope you won’t think me terribly forward, but… I’m torn between wanting to get to know you better and…”

Lilith raised an eyebrow. Balancing her chin against her palm she met Zelda’s eyes with a stare so intense she saw the woman turn a wonderful shade of crimson right in front of her. Teasingly she fluttered her eyelashes in feigned innocence.

“And?”

Zelda bit her lip, unable to hold her gaze. “This is quite out of character for me and I don’t want to scare you off.” Lilith responded with a suggestive look that made it quite clear she was neither scared nor surprised by anything that was happening. Zelda continued, “Well I would invite you to mine, but my sister and her husband are there.”

“Are you looking for a one-night stand, Miss Spellman?” The confidence Lilith exuded along with the emphasis on the ‘Miss’ made a shiver run through Zelda’s body.

“It’s not usually my style, but it seems a shame to let the opportunity go to waste, don’t you agree?”

“I do.” Lilith swirled the remainder of her drink in its glass. “However, there is the question of safety.”

“Oh….yes…” Zelda trailed off looking slightly flushed.

Reaching over, Lilith gently lifted her chin and smiled, “No need to be embarrassed. I’m just saying we don’t know each other and while you are one of the more striking people to cross the front door of the gallery, I don’t take chances either.”

Zelda nodded. “You’re right, I shouldn’t have-“

“Do you have anything you can show me?”

Zelda thought it over, “Well, not on me, no.”

“Then we’ll just have to work around that, which is quite a shame really, but better than nothing.”

Zelda watched her with amazement. Either this woman was the biggest tease on the planet, or she was about to show Zelda the time of her life – within reason.

“Are you alright?” Lilith asked after Zelda had fallen silent for a few minutes.

“Yes. I’m a little taken aback that you can make a conversation like that sexy.”

Lilith grinned. “Not my first rodeo.” Lifting her glass, she swirled the liquid in it around once before swiftly downing it. “Drink up.”

They finished their drinks and made their way out from the booth. Zelda saw the barman wink at Lilith as she walked past him and he made a motion that looked like he was ensuring she was safe. Zelda turned and smiled at him.

“Thank you, Daniel, everything was wonderful. I’ll take good care of her, I promise.”

Daniel waved at her with a huge smile and she caught Lilith’s smirk before she turned towards the exit.

Outside, they climbed the steps onto the street. Lilith felt Zelda draw closer to her and she mused aloud, “You’re going to take good care of me?”

“Very good care. If that’s something that interests you?”

By way of an answer, Lilith reached her hand into the pocket of Zelda’s cape and entwined her fingers with hers. Ducking to the side, she pulled Zelda with her into the doorway of a café that was closed. Lilith felt her heart palpitate with excitement. Turning, she slid her hands under the cape and drew Zelda against her. Tilting her head to one side, Zelda brushed her lips against Lilith’s at the same time, reaching around to grasp Lilith’s back and move her closer. Soft as it was, the electricity that pounded through their lips made both women feel as though they were slowly being ignited.

Breaking away reluctantly, Lilith leaned in and whispered, “Do you still want to come to mine?” Zelda nodded; her eyes heavy with arousal. Pressing her lips to the angular jawbone that she’d wanted to touch all evening, she added breathlessly, “Yes, right now.” Inhaling deeply, Lilith seized her lips in a deeper kiss before stepping out from the doorway. Zelda followed and linked her as they made their way past the gallery and in the direction of Lafayette.

Notes:

Thank you for all the wonderful comments, I love your enthusiasm for this story! Some of you have been asking if Lilith is the artist and the answer is coming :D <3

Chapter 4: IV

Summary:

“I’m not done, don’t worry.” Zelda drew her thumb over Lilith’s mouth, “I want to make you do that again.”

“Do what?”

“Look like you’re in ecstasy.”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Up the steps of the brownstone building and ascending the staircase inside, the anticipation ran rife through both women. Lilith felt her heart thrum against her ribcage as she rifled through her keys until she located the one for her apartment door. Zelda was still linking her, and she tensed a little as Lilith beckoned her into the room. The lights were switched on, revealing an immaculate home that was simpler than Zelda expected. 

Lilith turned the latch, leaving the keys in the lock. Circling around, she was met with Zelda stepping forward to kiss her again. Dropping her bag, she grasped Zelda’s hips with one hand, the side of her face with the other. Zelda’s lips were like satin and she knew how to use them. She tasted of whiskey and citrus, leading Lilith to fantasise about how good she would taste elsewhere and feeling intensely frustrated that she couldn’t find out. Lilith removed her coat with Zelda following suit, dropping both garments on the armchair by the door. Dragging her teeth along Zelda’s lower lip, Lilith tore herself away to ask, “Would you like a drink?”

“Hmm, just water please.”

Holding Zelda’s hand lightly, Lilith drifted over to the kitchen with her and poured them both large glasses of water. Turning the sound system on, she lowered the volume and swerved around to face Zelda who was smiling broadly at her.

“Is there any better sound than Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong?”

Zelda drew her closer, planting a kiss on her trim lips. Instinctively they began swaying rhythmically to the dulcet tones of Summertime emanating from the speakers. Lilith felt the excitement within her quicken with proof forming at the apex of her thighs. The most beautiful woman she had ever seen had walked into her place of work a day beforehand and here she was dancing with her in her kitchen. Unable to recall the last time she had felt this aroused by another person; Lilith savoured the taste of her like she was her favourite meal. Catching a strand of Zelda’s curls that had deviated from its immaculate coil, she twirled it around her forefinger and set it back in its rightful place. It occurred to her that this was probably needless given what was about to occur, but she relished the touch of the woman’s hair anyway. A deeply engrossed smile sat on Zelda’s features and she drifted further into Lilith’s embrace.

“Mm, as delicious as you are Miss Spellman, we need some clarity on a few things,” she said it softly, fully aware of the effect she was having. Zelda withdrew slightly, giving a nod of understanding.

Bringing her over to the couch, Lilith spotted a paintbrush on the floor that she had missed when tidying her easel and materials away. Flinching, she subtly kicked it under the couch, hoping Zelda didn’t notice. Artfully, Lilith sat down with her legs already crossed. It was done so elegantly that it distracted Zelda from the previous movement.

“What do you like?”

Zelda straightened and looked away at the bluntness of the question. The softness of Lilith’s fingertip under her chin, returning her gaze towards her made Zelda redden more. 

“Have you never talked about it before?”

“Well…not really, no,” Zelda admitted as the colour in her cheeks spread a little further south.

“But you do you know what you like?”

A sharp inhale from Zelda suggested she was considering the realm of possibilities and was finding the thought overwhelming.

Sensing that she might be a little uncomfortable, Lilith asked, “Can I show you a way to figure it out?” Zelda’s expression shifted to amazement, “Yes, please do.”

“I need your right arm.” Lilith extended her left hand as a prop and Zelda placed her right arm out in front of her body. Taking her hand, Lilith made eye contact with her and slowly began touching her forearm with light strokes. Zelda liked it more than she wanted to show. Before she could do anything to conceal it, the touch elicited an audible, highly erotic moan from her. It was more intimate than she was used to. The discomfort at being seen like that was akin to crying for her and it showed on her face. Lilith took note of it and changed the pace by pressing her nails against the skin as she moved. Zelda’s eyes opened at the change in tact and sensation.

It was obvious that she liked it, but Lilith watched her with growing interest as she seemed to narrow her eyes to figure out what she wanted done differently. Again, Lilith changed it up, this time tapping with medium pressure against each patch of Zelda’s forearm. The reaction was harder to read, but it was neither intense pleasure nor pain. Lastly, Lilith returned to a lighter touch, tickling the bare skin that immediately became goose-pimpled in appearance. It was clear what Zelda was more sensitive to, but Lilith understood that didn’t mean she enjoyed it. Gently removing her hand and giving Zelda her arm back, Lilith inclined her head to the side. “I’m curious as to which of those you liked. If indeed you liked any of them?”

Biting her lip, Zelda glanced up at her. “I really liked the first one.” She seemed to be trying to work something out and Lilith ventured that she knew what it was.

“Are you confused by that?”

“Yes. I like a gentle touch well enough. In some places.”

“Ah.” Lilith nodded. “Considering that I can’t do anything to you tonight that’s below the belt, so to speak, is that really a problem?”

“Well, when you put it like that, I guess not. Although….”

“Hmm?”

“The skin of the forearm is sensitive…. not quite as sensitive as my lips.” Zelda’s mouth turned up in a smile.

Leaning forward, Lilith applied her lips to Zelda’s with a feather-light touch. Feeling the woman gasp into her mouth at the intimacy, Lilith let the sensation linger between them for a few moments.

“Lighter?”

Then, with firmer pressure, she pushed her tongue against Zelda’s lips, letting it slide over the middle of her bottom lip and up over the cupid’s bow. Zelda opened her mouth and tried to grasp Lilith’s tongue with her lips, but Lilith retracted it smoothly.

“Or harder?” she whispered.

Zelda swallowed, moving closer to her, but not speaking.

“Use your words, Zelda. Only you know what feels good for you.” A playfully stern tone from Lilith made Zelda speak up.

“Both, I’ll let you experiment” she answered.

“Oh, will you? Both, you say. Aren’t you greedy,” Lilith teased. She watched the woman struggle with arousal until she decided to just lean in and attempt to kiss Lilith again. Raising a fingertip to the woman’s lips, Lilith smirked.

Lilith reached for her hand, drawing it to her jawbone. “I really liked when you did this,” emphasising the touch Zelda had placed on her jaw in the doorway of the café.

“I want you to do it here.”

Gliding her hand down to her chest, she watched as Zelda’s face slipped into a mask of hunger at the warmth of Lilith’s skin. Under her guidance, Zelda unbuttoned Lilith’s blouse and the chiffon fell open exposing a black bra made of lace that just about concealed her nipples. Unable to control the moan that slipped from her, Zelda gently pulled her closer and kissed her.

Sliding her hand over one breast, she whispered, “Like this?” into Lilith’s mouth. Nodding, Lilith sank against her neck, “Mm, yes, harder.” Zelda obliged, situating a longer kiss against Lilith’s neck whilst fondling her firm breasts. Lilith groaned, dragging her teeth against Zelda’s throat until Zelda clasped her other hand to her jaw and lifted her face. There, she caught sight of how beautiful Lilith was, especially in the throes of excitement and she paused for a moment, utterly captivated. Lilith’s eyes opened wider, holding Zelda’s stare. At that moment, Zelda found the nub that hardened from her attention. She began stroking the tight, sensitive flesh of the nipple under her fingers causing Lilith to keen suddenly. Kissing her again, Zelda felt Lilith melt against her and wrapped her free arm around her waist.

“I like your mouth on my neck,” Zelda sighed happily. “Mm,” Lilith resumed slathering kisses that alternated between deeper and lighter pressure along the marble column of skin that coated the side of Zelda’s neck. Without warning, Zelda suddenly whimpered, “I really want to fuck you, Lilith.”

“I want that too. Maybe I’ll just have to leave you in such a state that you come back to deliver on it another time.” Zelda moaned into the riot of dark curls that sprang from Lilith’s head like a crown.

The sound of The Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter vibrated against the speakers in the background. Every time Mick Jagger whined “It’s just a kiss away,” Zelda felt the impact of Lilith’s lips even more like she was steadily being pulled under. Quixotic as it was, she had never felt such a fool for not carrying blood test results on her, but then she hadn’t known she would run into this woman on her first stop after arriving in Brooklyn.

“Can we get into bed?”

Lilith felt the words reverberate around her like an echo. Releasing her lips from Zelda’s skin, Lilith watched her tentatively.

“Only if you want to, of course.” Zelda swiftly added, feeling unsure of how to read the woman’s expression.

“I do.” Lilith stood, extending her hand to her as she went. Zelda took it, floating behind Lilith down the alcove and into the bedroom.

“The bathroom is just there in case you want to freshen up,” Lilith motioned towards a door that stood ajar. Zelda nodded, “I will, quickly if you don’t mind.”

“Quickly,” Lilith agreed, removing her blouse as Zelda walked to the bathroom.

Once the door had closed, Lilith opened her wardrobe and selected her favourite nightgown and robe. There wasn’t much material in either of them, which was rather the point. She changed hastily whilst listening for the sound of the bathroom lock being turned. Zelda emerged at the same time as Lilith closed the wardrobe.

Stopping still in her tracks, Zelda’s jaw dropped. Lilith casually waltzed over to the bed and perched herself on the edge with one leg crossed over the other. Nonchalant in her movements, she removed her earrings and fluffed her carefully curled hair. Turning to look over her shoulder she saw Zelda approach the bed looking completely transfixed by her.

“See anything you like?” she said it so softly, it was almost a whisper. Zelda felt a weakness run through her, heaping curse after curse on herself for having such a limited window of time with this temptress.

The nightdress and robe were made of black satin with a delicate black lace trim on the sleeves and hem. They both ended mid-thigh, showcasing just how well Lilith looked after herself. The toned muscles of her thighs and calves looked gloriously supple and strong all at once. The material shimmered with each slight movement of her body, making Zelda long to touch her again.

“You look divine,” Zelda breathed heavily. Grinning with full self-awareness, Lilith leaned back with her hands on the bed behind her.

“Thank you, you’re quite the vision yourself.”

Zelda blinked in quiet disbelief given what was before her.

“Honestly, I’ve never….” She trailed off and Lilith cocked her head to one side.

“Is it too much? Do you not- “

“No!” Zelda moved forward as if to stop her from leaving. A pleased smile formed on Lilith’s increasingly seductive looking lips. “No, it’s not too much…it’s perfect” Leaning in, Zelda kissed her, letting her hands roam down her torso before Lilith pulled her down to lie beneath her.

Propping herself up on one elbow, her long, dark waves tumbled forward surrounding Zelda. Pressing her lips to the woman’s neck, Lilith made her way down to her chest with Zelda hurriedly unzipping her dress. Shimmying out of her clothing until she was in her underwear, Zelda grasped one of Lilith’s thighs, shifting it around until she rolled her onto her back placing hot, wet kisses along her sternum. Moaning against the sheets, Lilith felt her stroking her breasts again, this time bringing her mouth closer and closer until she was nudging the material out of the way. Looking up, Zelda made eye contact and asked, “Let me give you more of what you like.”

Giving a long, languorous lick to the skin in between Lilith’s breasts, Zelda heard her breath catch in her chest. “Your mouth, I want your mouth on me.” Sneaking under the satin and lace fabric with her mouth, Zelda encased the painfully hardened nipple in between her lips. The most sensual groan fell from Lilith with her fingers entangling in Zelda’s hair to encourage her. Gently taking the nipple between her teeth, Zelda sucked and licked on it. The relief was evident in the moans she heard and feeling Lilith’s nails scratch her scalp lightly as she directed her to where she wanted her.

Lilith had felt the sensation growing within her chest when they sat down to dinner and it had been with her all evening. It was a familiar feeling, but it usually started when sex was well underway, not before and certainly not when she was merely seated opposite someone listening to them talk about subjects she had previously found boring. Now that frivolities were well and truly happening, that same sensation was being spurred on. It was as though it had coiled in the depth of her stomach and was now curling and snaking its way up from the base of her spine slowly.

Zelda may not have been terribly vocal, but she was talented with her tongue and it seemed like she knew it too. Continuing with her ministrations, Zelda oscillated between running her teeth and tongue across the nipple until Lilith was gasping. A low hum emanated from the woman, the vibration of unadulterated pleasure beginning to rise up from her groin. When Zelda clamped her other nipple quite suddenly between her fingers, a whine escaped Lilith that she hadn’t known was coming. It was spiralling faster up Lilith’s spinal column, her back arching off the bed in response to the expanding sensation.

Watching her, Zelda saw the veins in Lilith’s neck stand out of their own accord and she wondered for a moment if she was imagining being here with her and being the cause of this wonderful reaction. Releasing the nipple from her mouth, she heard Lilith whimper at the loss of contact. Delaying gratification was proving to be an incredible visual experience and Zelda purposefully slid her mouth up Lilith’s chest and throat and over her chin until she seized her mouth in a hungry kiss. Kissing her back with equal zeal, Lilith cupped Zelda’s face, causing Zelda to move closer to her.

“Why did you stop?”

“I’m not done, don’t worry.” Zelda drew her thumb over Lilith’s mouth, “I want to make you do that again.”

“Do what?”

“Look like you’re in ecstasy.”

Lilith snarled and bit the thumb that rested on her mouth. Licking her lips, she slid her forefinger into Zelda’s mouth, feeling her tongue wrap around it like a vine.

“Oh,” she mewled, “Is that what I’m missing out on?” Zelda responded by firmly pressing both lips around the base of Lilith’s finger and simultaneously encircling it with her tongue before slowly sucking all the way along the length and releasing it with a wet pop. Lilith let out a shuddering breath and placed her hand at the side of Zelda’s face.

Entwining their limbs around each other’s bodies, they seemed to mesh into one another. Zelda’s fingers entangled themselves in the sumptuous, dark waves while Lilith’s vanished into the perfectly set auburn curls that were rapidly becoming more and more dishevelled by the minute.

Zelda sat up, laying her hands on Lilith’s waist and firmly tugging her right up against her. A sharp moan from Lilith confirmed what Zelda had hoped – that she’d successfully hoisted her thigh in between Lilith’s legs and was brushing against her over her underwear.

“Do you know what I really want?” Zelda asked, watching Lilith compose herself.

“Mm, what’s that?”

“To make you come for me. It’s an extra challenge without penetration.”

Lilith’s jaw dropped. Finally, a partner who was prepared to work for her orgasms.

“And how do you intend to do that?”

At that moment, Lilith recognised the unmistakable feeling of a well-defined thigh muscle grinding against her silken underwear. Luckily the material was just right for adding friction and sensitivity where it was needed.

“Ohh, god,” she whined into the air. Reaching her arms around Zelda’s waist, she whispered, “wait.” Zelda paused and watched her shift her leg smoothly against Zelda’s underwear. Feeling how wet Zelda was through the delicate material made Lilith grin widely.

“Mm, is this a challenge?” Zelda asked, quirking an eyebrow.

“Maybe, are you up for it?”

“Absolutely” she growled, leaning in to kiss Lilith’s neck and at the same time rubbing against her over the material.

Never one to shy away from competition, Lilith quickly matched her pace causing both women to begin moaning in unison. Lilith was closer, but part of her wanted to try to be good and wait for Zelda. She also wanted to make Zelda come first if she was honest. Biting her lip hard, she buried her face into the crook of Zelda’s neck to stifle the uncontrollable urge to cry out. Zelda softly swept her hair back and whispered, “Is that the sound of you coming for me, Lilith?” Groaning, Lilith thrusted against her underwear and Zelda moaned as she felt herself drawing closer. Despite herself, Lilith couldn’t deny how incredible it felt and she needed more right then and there.

“Don’t stop, oh god, harder!” Zelda clutched her hips and deliberately started to grind harder and faster.

“More, right there.” It was a faint whisper now as she felt herself lose the control she thought she had. There was still time to regain it, she told herself and wilfully thrusted harder against Zelda. Brushing her lips against Lilith’s, Zelda pushed in against her ear.

“Give in to it. I’ve got you.”

Electricity compounded within her at the words. The coiling sensation that ran up her spine travelled at breakneck speed causing a guttural sound to escape Lilith’s throat. It was a noise that she had never heard herself make and she immediately tried to herd it back into her voicebox, but it was out. It made her shake unexpectedly and she hadn’t known anything like it before. Then, the feeling of Zelda’s fingers combing through her hair and her lips planting light kisses against her cheek and down to her lips brought her back to where she was. There was a grounding quality to Zelda’s lips. They tasted of something Lilith couldn’t place and didn’t know she had been craving. Until now.  

Panting, she felt the orgasm curl through her, and her head being gently placed on a pillow. Opening her eyes, she saw Zelda lying beside her and realised she was stroking her arm.

Rolling onto one side to face her, Lilith frowned, “That’s not fair” she said.

Zelda looked at her incredulous, “What isn’t?”

“I didn’t get to return the favour.”

Smiling, Zelda watched the flushed colour slowly dissipate from Lilith’s face. “The night is young.” At that, Lilith’s thigh twitched, and she twisted, moaning as she moved. She laughed at the gorgeous sensation of the aftermath coursing through her and Zelda watched on, pleased at her handiwork. Lilith felt Zelda’s hand on her abdomen, slowly stroking the skin and feeling it quiver from the aftershock. Secretly, Lilith had wanted them to come at the same time, but knew the likelihood was slim given that it was their first time together. It occurred to her that it was also possibly their only night together and a renewed fervour to please Zelda took over her. Sighing happily, she swerved over and kissed Zelda hungrily.

“Were you close?”

“Yes.” Zelda coaxed. She sat up, bringing her arms around Lilith’s shoulders. “And I will be again if you get me out of this,” she looked down at her bra, which Lilith hastily undid and discarded. “Let me feel your mouth on me. Lighter at first, I’ll tell you how much pressure I want.” At that, Lilith enthusiastically made her way down Zelda’s neck, throat, shoulders and chest until she sequestered one nipple in her mouth. Receiving a grateful moan in response, she teased and tickled Zelda’s sensitive flesh, causing goose-pimples to break out. Gazing up at her, Lilith saw not only was Zelda writhing with every lashing of Lilith’s tongue, but from her throat down to her chest there was a rapidly spreading red orgasm rash that told her she was indeed returning the favour.

“Oh, harder…yes, just like that…oh god!”

Before long, Zelda felt the heat that had been rising in her return and she came, crying out loudly. Guiding her to come down from the dizzying heights, Lilith lapped at both nipples, tweaking and suckling them each in turn and soaking up the exquisite sound of Zelda’s cries. Sated, but still squirming in pleasure, Zelda tugged at Lilith to move up closer to her. As she did so, Lilith caught sight of Zelda’s eyes and how magnificent they looked overflowing with desire. Swaying slightly as she looked into them, they locked eyes and Zelda clawed at her until their mouths were enmeshed in long, wet, soothing kisses.

Lying down, Lilith watched as Zelda’s breathing slowed to its regular pace and sleep took hold of her. Carefully, she moved her, peeled back the duvet and slid her under it. Lifting up her side, she glided under it and drifted off into a peaceful night’s sleep.

Morning arrived, with winter sun streaming in through the windows. Zelda shifted in the bed to discover Lilith wasn’t beside her. Listening carefully, she heard the sound of the shower from behind the bathroom door, which was open in front of her. Before any thoughts of joining Lilith could cross her mind, she heard the water stop. Sitting up, she waited and watched as Lilith materialised from the cloud of steam that preceded her.

“Good morning,” Lilith smiled at her.

“Good morning,” Zelda’s eyes roved over her body in an appreciative way that Lilith noticed. “Are you in a rush for work?”

Lilith grinned, “No, I never rush where food and sex are concerned. And I am famished for the former.”

“Hmm, I believe you.” Zelda smiled.

“Are you hungry? For actual food?” Lilith added with a mischievous look.

“I am, are you?”

“Yes, although I’m afraid I don’t have much in the way of breakfast. There’s a café down the street that makes the best coffee and pancakes.”

Zelda’s eyes lit up at the mention of pancakes. “That sounds wonderful. Do you mind if I use your shower?”

“Be my guest. There's fresh towels on the radiators next to it.”

Once Zelda was showered and dressed, they made their way up to the café and ordered takeaway coffees and pancakes with bacon and maple syrup. Sitting next to each other on a bench outside, they chatted easily. Surprised at just how easy the conversation was, Lilith wondered where to go from here.

Zelda looked at her phone to check the time and said, “I have a few appointments this morning. I can drop by with the cheque this evening if it suits.”

Lilith blinked. So, it was business as usual then. “Of course,” she replied, hiding her disappointment.  

A silence filled the air between them. Both women looked out at the street. Lilith felt a coldness in the air that threatened to seep inside her chest. Shaking it off, she felt unsure of what to say next. Then Zelda broke the silence.

“Are you…busy this evening?”

It weighed heavily on Lilith that she wasn’t in the least bit busy. Not wanting to admit this, she scrambled for an excuse in her head. Nothing sounded plausible.

“Nothing fixed in stone, why?”

She looked at Zelda and saw a distinct nervousness on her features. “Um, do you want to do something?” Grimacing at her own awkwardness, Zelda looked away.

“Why not? You are only here ‘til Friday.”

“Exactly. I figure we should make the most of one more night.”

Lilith nodded. “I suppose I can ward off any potential engagements for one more night,” she lied.

“Good, that’s settled then.”

Lilith smiled at the eccentric, stern manner resurfacing. It was adorable in its own way. “I should get going to open the gallery.”

“Alright. I’ll see you this evening then?”

“See you then.”

They watched each other trying to discern what the other one wanted to do in terms of parting. Lilith debated a kiss, but decided it was too intimate in a public setting. When Zelda made no move either, she waved and walked in the direction of the gallery.

Heaving the shutter up, Lilith opened the gallery door, turned off the alarm and locked herself in. They weren’t due to open for another 20 minutes, but she needed the time alone to gather her thoughts. Hanging her coat up, she went to the safe and checked again on both paintings. Zelda hadn’t mentioned anything further about the second one, but there was no doubt in Lilith’s mind that she wanted it. That would involve some white lies, she sighed, not entirely pleased at the prospect. Securing the safe again, she went into the water closet and adjusted her hair and makeup. She felt so strange. So calm but exhilarated at the same time. Normally after a night of passion she felt like a queen who had conquered a battlefield.

The fact that she was seeing Zelda again and so soon gave rise to more excitement. They hadn’t discussed what this ‘something’ they were going to do was, but no doubt they both knew what one part of it involved. The visual of Zelda writhing beneath her filled her head and it was followed by remembering the searing intensity of the orgasm she had experienced without even being penetrated. Inhaling sharply, she leaned against the faucet in front of her.

Even though she had satisfied Zelda, Lilith wasn’t convinced it was her best work and payback was necessary. A sly smile took over her features. Pinching the sharp edges of the shoulders on her dress, she stood up straighter. Returning to her desk, she turned on the laptop and set everything up for the day ahead. It was going to be an interesting one, she knew.

Notes:

This chapter is especially for the hungry, hungry sapphics whom I love dearly and there will be more. Thank you for your lovely messages, they mean so much <3

Chapter 5: V

Summary:

An extra long chapter for Valentines Day <3

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The day was passing fast with Lilith preoccupied by several phone calls. Most of them were from the owner who was due in town the following week and wanted to arrange a meeting with her to discuss next seasons unveilings. The afternoon came, bringing further appointments and enquiries to deal with. Engrossed in planning and organising, she didn’t notice the bell above the door ring out.

“Excuse me?”

Looking up at the older woman heading towards her in a sensible tweedy coat, Lilith sensed from her tone that this wasn’t going to be the easiest of meetings.

“Hello, how may I help you?

“I rang yesterday to enquire about the Untitled Maria Rosa painting you had displayed up until last month.”

“Oh, yes. We still have it, would you- “

“I have some questions about price matching your website and I also want to check the condition of the painting.”

Bemused, Lilith studied her in silence.

“The price is…exactly what it says on the website. $1,500. And as for the condition? It hasn’t been touched. It’s stored in the safe with other pieces that- “

“If it’s all the same to you, I’d rather see it.”

Trying to conceal her irritation, Lilith smiled. “Of course, let me fetch it for you.”

Just as she was about to enter the code to unlock the safe, Lilith turned and saw the woman standing right behind her and looking over her shoulder.

“May I ask you to step back a little, please?”

The woman stared in disbelief, but begrudgingly obliged.

Taking her time, Lilith returned to the task at hand. The clock on the wall told her it was only 3.30pm. Waiting for the door to unhinge itself she thought about how 5pm could not come quick enough. Zelda and her blue-grey eyes glittering with pleasure filled Lilith’s mind. The things she wanted to do to her made a smug smile break across her features.

Sighing softly, she scanned the shelves inside the safe. Finding the Rosa painting safely tucked away in its protective covering, she slid it out. The bell above the door ring out again and Lilith thanked whoever it was under her breath. Another potential client was a great excuse to remove herself from this woman who followed her to the plinth by the wall as Lilith set the painting down and uncovered it. Lilith looked up to see who had entered while the woman was making some unsavoury remarks about the condition of the painting.

“Zelda…” she was earlier than Lilith had expected, though they hadn’t set a time.

Seeing that Lilith was busy, Zelda smiled and mouthed “Do you want me to come back in a while?”

“No, not at all. I’ll be with you in just a moment.” Lilith returned.

“Excuse me, you haven’t finished dealing with me yet.”

Zelda’s eyes widened at the woman’s bark and she took a step backwards.

“Yes, I’m aware of that,” Lilith quickly retorted with a firm yet polite tone, “are you still interested in the Rosa?”

“No, not in this condition. Do you have another?”

Staring blankly, Lilith could feel Zelda’s discomfort from across the room.

“Another painting by Rosa?”

“No! Another copy of this one?”

At this, Zelda’s hand flew up to her mouth to cover a laugh that threatened to escape. Lilith saw the movement out of the corner of her eye and wished she could feel the same level of amusement.

“I’m afraid this is the only copy that exists,” she stated calmly, casting her eyes over the multitude of coloured dots that formed the painting.

“It won’t do.”

“I’m sorry to hear that.” Lilith gathered the painting back into its covering. “Is there anything else I can help you with?”

“How do I procure another copy?”

Lilith swore she could hear tittering from the other side of the gallery. Suppressing her true reaction, she said the only thing she could.

“I don’t believe you can. The only thing I can suggest is contacting the artist to enquire, but I don’t think you’ll have much luck as she was quite explicit about this being a one-off piece.” Walking over to the desk, Lilith swiped through the rolodex, plucking the artists card from it. “Here you go. You can contact her directly on her website. I’m afraid she doesn’t live in the vicinity anymore, so you w-”

Snatching it from her, the woman abruptly walked out without saying a word.

Blinking rapidly, Lilith stood frozen in mock horror. “You’re welcome!” she called out.

“Oh, my lord!” Zelda exclaimed, her laugh tinkling around the acoustics. “Is that what you have to put up with on a daily basis?”

“Only when it’s damp, it seems to bring them out in their droves.”

Zelda’s laugh was a lovely sound and Lilith couldn’t help but admire how well she looked. She had changed since the morning and the elegant pantsuit she wore was most becoming.

Reaching into her handbag, Zelda produced an envelope and handed it over.

“Ah yes,” Lilith pushed herself away from the desk, “I’ll get it for you now. By the way, I spoke to the artist earlier.”

“Oh, really?” Zelda followed her towards the rear of the gallery.

“You might like to know, she considered your offer of $25,000 most generous and has agreed to it,” she spoke with her back to Zelda, “if you’re still interested that is?”

Hearing the sincerity in her own voice, Lilith bit her lip. Normally it disconcerted her to walk into the safe because it was so large, and it left her somewhat vulnerable depending on who was in the gallery. For once, she was grateful for the size of it. Giving Zelda space while she considered this was something Lilith had decided was not only polite, but essential. Rummaging through the shelves, she listened for the answer. The silence was unnerving, and Lilith saw a slight tremor run through her hands as she retrieved Love Lock.

“Well that’s marvellous news. Is it still agreeable if I pay at the end of the month?

Lilith’s brow furrowed as she said what she had rehearsed. “Yes, that’s not a problem. I can keep it stored for you until then.”

Backing out of the safe, she placed the painting on the floor against the wall and reached around the inside of the safe door where she produced a carry case for it.

“Thank you, Lilith.”

Zelda’s hand was on her arm and her proximity took Lilith by surprise.

“You’re most welcome. Now, I’ll just pop it in here to keep it safe.”

“I really hope I didn’t put you to any trouble.”

“Not at all. I know how much these things mean to collectors.”

Zelda stood at a respectable distance watching as Lilith folded the painting into the silk hangings that protruded from the casing.

“Well, I appreciate it. I can bring Love Lock back to the house now and come back to meet you at 5 if that still suits you?”

There was a mild tremble in her voice that echoed slightly in the otherwise empty space. Pausing what she was doing, Lilith looked up at her.

“Well, first, tell me…” she clipped the locks on the case shut, “what did you have in mind for this evening?”

Zelda interlaced her fingers, letting her hands fall in front of her. She looked mildly dismayed.

“I was thinking dinner. There’s a uh…a small place in the theatre district that does fabulous Italian food, if you like that. Or there’s- “

“Italian sounds wonderful.”

Sealing the larger lock on the side of the case shut, Lilith lifted it onto its side and carried it over to Zelda.

“And…what else were you thinking?”

Locking eyes with Zelda, Lilith watched her carefully.

“Well…let’s see where the night takes us shall we?”

Zelda looked a little nervous and Lilith had noticed the same expression before they parted ways that morning.

“Could we make it 6? I want to pop home and change first.”

“Of course!” Zelda looked relieved, but the apprehension did not entirely disappear from her face.

“Is everything alright?” Lilith asked.

“Yes, wonderful,” Zelda smiled, her expression shifting to a calmer one.

Nodding slowly, Lilith watched her move towards the door, and she hastened to hold it open for her.

“Enjoy your new home,” she said, looking at the carry case fondly. Zelda laughed, “I’ll take excellent care of it, I assure you.”

“I’m sure you will. Do you need some help carrying it up the steps?”

Zelda looked up towards the street. “Not at all, thank you, I’m sure I’ll manage.” Briefly, she turned to look at Lilith who met her gaze inquisitively.

“I’ll see you at 6. Here?” she pointed to the street, “it’s on my way, unless somewhere else is easier.”

“Here is fine,” Lilith smiled charmingly, “see you then.”

Zelda carried the case up the steps with little effort before making her way out of sight down the street. Lilith watched until she was gone, the winter light dappling its rays on Zelda’s auburn locks.


Closing time came and Lilith marvelled at her luck in having no appointments or clients detaining her. Mounting the steps outside, she looked up and down the street and saw the first hints that snow was arriving. The temperature had indeed fallen substantially since the previous day and it was clear that was to remain the case for the rest of the evening. There were fewer people out than usual and she was infinitely more aware of herself walking alone on one of the busiest thoroughfares of the city. Gathering her coat closer around her, she tucked her faux fur scarf tighter against her chest and made her way home.

Once she had showered quickly, Lilith examined her extensive wardrobe for suitable attire. Zelda’s pantsuit was a sensible choice given the weather, although Lilith didn’t own much in the way of that kind of garment. Usually she went for dresses that emphasised her natural gifts, but the bitter chill that ran through the apartment reminded her that New York was not terribly forgiving in the winter, regardless of how hot their activities would be.

Inhaling sharply, she imagined what it would feel like to fuck Zelda senseless, leaving her breathless and wanting more. Lilith leaned heavily into the wardrobe when the idea of what the woman would look like crying out her name flashed through her mind. Then she remembered that truly fucking Zelda wasn’t possible. What if Zelda came back for more on her next trip? Exhilaration rippled through Lilith at the thought. No, she was getting ahead of herself. Shaking her head, she steadied herself and decided there was only one option; it was Zelda’s last night in town and Lilith knew better than to take anything for granted. She was going to have to make it memorable.

Arriving back at the agreed meeting place, Lilith was pleased to see the street astir once more with merriment. There was, however, no sight of Zelda.

Where is she?

Checking her watch, she saw it was five minutes past the hour.

Hmm, give her a few minutes more.  

Beside her, an elegant looking couple hurried into a taxi. The woman, noticing how cold Lilith looked turned around, “Do you want to share the cab ride with us? We’re heading to the Upper East Side.”

“Thank you, but I’m walking and it’s not too far.”

The woman waved and Lilith saw her diamond earrings sparkling from behind the windows of the taxi door. They were real, she knew at a glance. The woman smiled at her and Lilith smiled back.

“She looks like Elizabeth Taylor, right down to her diamonds.”

Lilith jumped forward. Zelda had appeared while she was distracted by the woman and was smiling at her.

“Apologies, I didn’t mean to startle you.” Zelda smirked.

“That’s quite alright, I didn’t….”

She had been so far away in her own world that it took Lilith a moment to notice that Zelda had changed yet again. Shaking her head in surprise, she cast an eye over what she could see of a dress under a floor-length coat that appeared to be made of some sort of exotic birds feathers.

“You changed,” Lilith said, eyes flicking up to Zelda’s.

“As did you,” Zelda replied, “I figured it would be rude not to at least make the same effort as you. Although what you were wearing earlier was rather fetching.”

An amused grin played over Lilith’s face. It was so rare for anyone to speak in this manner and she enjoyed hearing it.

“Brave choice in this weather,” she motioned to the dress.

“Ditto,” Zelda reached forward and gently ran her fingers against the smoothness of Lilith’s leather trench coat. It was finely tailored and softer than it looked. Lilith watched Zelda admire it and suddenly felt somewhat overdressed. Before Zelda could get too comfortable, Lilith stepped towards her, her blue eyes flashing. Brushing her fingertips under the belt on Zelda’s coat, Lilith slid her hand around her waist, and she felt Zelda pull her closer by the lapel of her trench coat. Eying each other hungrily, they both forgot about the elements around them that were becoming colder by the minute. Lilith moved in as if she was going to kiss her. Zelda closed her eyes and parted her lips…and felt Lilith lean in against the side of her face.

“Hungry?” she whispered.

Zelda swallowed hard, her eyes flicking open. Lilith heard her exhale breathily.

“Famished,” she replied, eying Lilith’s mouth like it was a meal.

Suddenly, Lilith let go of her and stepped back.

“Better get to this restaurant then.”

Zelda stepped towards her in a trance-like state until the sentence landed with her and she stopped herself. Lilith smirked and tilted her head in the direction of the city.

Arriving at the restaurant, they were met by a hostess who knew Zelda immediately.

“Good evening, Ms Spellman, lovely to see you.”

“And you, Chloe!”

“Good evening, madam, how are you this evening?”

Lilith smiled at the young woman who took her coat.

“Very well, thank you.”

“Wonderful! Ladies, right this way, your table is ready.”

Looking at Zelda with consternation, Lilith realised she had pre-booked the table. She didn’t know why that surprised her, but it did. As they walked past the room full of diners, they were led downstairs to an entirely different environment. The room looked like a richly decorated cave and there were far fewer people in it than upstairs. It was darker than Lilith had expected; candelabras set into the recesses in the walls, complete with wax spilling down the sides, the walls themselves brimming with burgundy tapestries and purple hangings that looked extremely expensive. They were led to a secluded corner at the back that was concealed by silk curtains. Zelda pushed them open in a very familiar way.

“Here we are, is the table to your liking madam?”

So distracted was Lilith by the extravagant surroundings that she hadn’t heard the hostess speaking to her.

“Lilith?”

“Hmm? Oh, it’s fabulous, thank you. So much to admire!”

 The hostess poured them both glasses of still water, adding, “I’ll be back shortly to take your order.”

“Thank you, Chloe.”

Zelda watched Lilith continue to take in the setting.

“Do you approve?”

Lilith turned to look at her. She laughed in astonishment.

“Ah-yes! I can’t imagine many people who wouldn’t approve.”

Zelda looked pleased. More than that. She looked reassured by Lilith’s reaction, as though it meant a great deal to her.

“It’s very intimate.” Lilith remarked.

“Yes, I thought it might be nice to have slightly more privacy than most restaurants afford.”

Lilith licked her lips as her eyes roved through the menu. It all sounded inviting, but not half so much as the woman opposite her.

“You can’t put a price on privacy,” she replied. “How did you discover this place?”

Studying her menu, Zelda hummed something about knowing the owner before reaching over to point at a section of the menu.

“Do you like wine?”

“Yes, red mostly. You?”

Zelda nodded, “Red for me too, especially Merlot.”

Lilith’s eyebrows raised, “If there’s one you’d recommend I’m happy to share a bottle.”

“Marvellous. Do you know what you want to eat?”

Lilith’s eyes flashed mischievously over the top of her menu and she saw Zelda blush.

“Well, the pasta sounds very good.” As soon as Lilith said it, she felt Zelda snaking her foot along her calf under the table. The pointed toe of her shoe fit nicely into the curve at the back of Lilith’s knee.

“Well then, if you’re ready?”

“Always,” Lilith smiled.  

Zelda waved at the hostess and requested a bottle of their finest Merlot along with the salmon for herself. Lilith ordered the pasta and at Zelda’s recommendation, a salad that featured truffles, which she claimed were divine. Moments later, the hostess reappeared with their wine. Lilith noticed that the wine glasses were unusually shaped. They were almost square with a rounded gold-leaf rim.

“These are exquisite, are they made specially for the restaurant?”

“Yes, ma’am. The owner is from Peru and he was a glass-blower before he came to the United States.”

Lilith studied the detail carefully. It was a beautiful item and looked like it had been painstakingly crafted to perfection.

Stepping back, the hostess waited for both women to taste the wine. Looking to Lilith first, she asked, “How is it?”

“Beautiful” she said, her eyes fixed on Zelda as she drank. They replaced their glasses and the hostess filled them whilst promising to return with their food shortly. Once she had left and the curtains were back in place beside them, Zelda resumed playing footsie.  

“Why am I not surprised that you would notice the finer details?” Zelda smiled looking at the glass.

“It comes with the territory, I suppose. I wouldn’t be very good at my job if I didn’t recognise these things.” Fingering the stem of the glass, Lilith was still absorbed by how remarkable it was.

“Indeed. And you are…exceptional at what you do.”

Lilith’s eyes flickered back to Zelda’s. “Well, thank you.” At that, she hooked her foot under Zelda’s chair and skilfully dragged her in closer to the table.

Zelda allowed herself to be drawn in; and keeping her eyes on the woman’s face, said, “They have the best cheesecake on the planet. Are you a dessert person?”

“You’re thinking of dessert already?” Lilith’s mirthful stare almost made Zelda choke on her wine.

 “Exactly what is that look meant to imply?”

“Well, let’s just say I’m something of a cheesecake connoisseur.” Lilith tousled some of her wavy curls that had fallen over her shoulder as she spoke.

“Really?”

“Why, yes! I prefer Italian cheesecake to American. It’s lighter because of the ricotta, less cloying.”

“You don’t like it sweeter?” Zelda asked, looking genuinely surprised.

“Well, if it’s not as sweet it makes it more fun to eat it off things that are…”

A beautiful shade of red coloured Zelda’s face as her imagination ran riot with possibilities.

“Are you intent on teasing me like this all night? It seems cruel.”

“I just might. Whatever do you plan to do about it?”

The wicked smile that crossed Lilith’s lips told Zelda that she meant it. There was no telling just how hot under the collar the woman could make her, but Zelda already knew underestimating her would be a mistake. Shifting in her seat, Zelda sighed softly.

“Not as much as I’d like to. Tonight anyway.”

The words seemed to hang in the air torturously for a few seconds. Lilith felt the gorge soar within her at the suspense. It hadn’t escaped her notice that Zelda looked even more ravishing than the previous night; something she hadn’t thought possible.

Finally, she said, “Oh?”

“Hmm, I don’t want to make you uncomfortable.”

“I’m a big girl, I think I can handle it” Lilith winked at her, making Zelda’s stern expression fracture with laughter. Despite herself, Lilith held Zelda’s stare for longer than she would normally do with anyone. As Zelda went to say more, the hostess reappeared with their cutlery. The hostess left and Lilith found herself still hanging on Zelda’s last sentence.

“Where were we?” Zelda asked.

“I believe you were suggesting that you wanted to do unspeakable things to me, but you find yourself unable to at present.”

Zelda broke out into a pleased grin. “Ah, yes. I’ll be back in New York at the end of the month, I always spend Christmas and New Year’s here. Do you stay in the city for the holidays?”

Watching her every move, Lilith said, “I do. Nowhere is quite like New York at Christmas,” and sipped her wine.

A comfortable silence descended. Lilith felt the same sensation as the night before coiling low in her stomach. Anticipation and desire curling together in a delicious ball of electricity that she hoped would slowly be released later on. Waiting for Zelda to say more, she tried not to let her desire become too obvious. A shyness seemed to take over Zelda in that moment and Lilith wondered what she was thinking that made that veil come between them. Before she could enquire, their food arrived.

Everything smelled and looked delicious; the steam rising from the plates adding to the temperature within the space. They ate heartily, each telling stories about various dating experiences that included everything from the very best of times to the worst.

Once they had eaten, the plates were cleared, and the conversation continued. They laughed easily, talking about where they had travelled to and as the evening unfolded before them, Lilith found herself taking stock of how much fun she was having. She couldn’t recall laughing this much in a long time. Watching Zelda, it was clear she was enjoying herself too and she made her interest in Lilith evident.

Aware that she was getting lost in thought, Lilith refocused herself on Zelda, who was watching her with curiosity. The look seemed to communicate something else that Lilith couldn’t read, but she suspected it was a question the woman wanted to ask.

“What?” she ventured coyly.

Nervous laughter peeled from Zelda as she took another sip of wine. “Nothing, I just...I was going to ask how a woman like you… isn’t taken.”

Lilith blinked. Casting her eyes downward, she deliberately let the sentence hang in the air between them.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean anything by it,” Zelda cut in, seeing how uncomfortable Lilith looked. “It’s just that... you’re a fascinating woman. So full of knowledge and easy to talk to.”

Zelda was on edge now and Lilith would have blushed had she not felt the woman trying to compensate for overstepping some mark.

“I have my moments,” she replied. “I don’t really want to talk about it, if you don’t mind.”

“Of course, I’m sorry.” Zelda nodded, understanding that she wasn’t going to penetrate the woman’s layer of mystery with such a blundering attempt at flattery. Had Lilith known how much she intrigued Zelda, perhaps her reaction would have been different. As it was, she struggled to find something to say to fill the increasingly awkward silence. They drank until Zelda eventually found a way to break it. Hearing the band taking to a stage that they had passed on their way in, she rose from her seat.

“Dance with me?”

Zelda’s outstretched hand was like marble with spindly blue veins barely visible on the surface. Taking hold of it, one might suspect it to be fragile from its appearance, but Lilith found her grip strong yet tender.

Standing to meet her, Lilith followed Zelda out from behind the curtains onto what was a small but busy dancefloor. The music throbbed around them; a mix of Spanish and Argentinian bass with a distinctly 80’s feel to it. It was obvious after only a few moments that Lilith had been correct in her assumption that Zelda would be an excellent dancer. Her body shimmied, swayed and spun like a celestial being that kept everyone’s attention. Similarly, Zelda could watch Lilith for hours, her body moving in perfect sync to the rhythm as if her limbs knew the music.

They made such a pair that onlookers seemed to forego their food in favour of watching them. Oblivious, they continued, laughing and moving in unison until the music slowed down and a look of uncertainty fell over both their faces. More couples took to the floor for the slower set and moving forward, Lilith took Zelda’s hand and ushered her back to their table. Once they were enshrouded by the voile curtains, Zelda pulled Lilith in and kissed her. It was a kiss filled with longing; and Lilith leaned into it feeling the softness and comfort of Zelda’s lips pressed against her own.

Breaking away, Zelda leaned in and whispered, “Can we go back to yours?”

Nodding, Lilith reached for her handbag and as she removed her wallet, Zelda said, “Oh, it’s taken care of.”

Sharply, Lilith turned to look at her. “What?”

“The bill, it’s all taken care of. I have a tab and they charge me automatically.”

After a moment, Lilith lifted the wallet again, “Well, at least let me pay for my half.”

“I won’t hear of it. Honestly, Lilith it’s my pleasure.” Zelda held her hand up suggesting she would take no argument. Lilith reluctantly placed her wallet back in her handbag, adding, “Thank you.”

She knew it was polite and kind of Zelda especially after Lilith had let her stay over. She did feel the woman was insisting because she knew she had upset her slightly and that bothered her. Pausing as Zelda gathered her handbag, Lilith thought for a moment. Her prayers were answered when she heard Zelda say, “Excuse me while I go to the little girl’s room.”

Once she had gone, Lilith waved the hostess over.

“Is everything alright, ma’am?”

“Everything was wonderful, thank you. Although, I wonder if you could do me a favour? Ms Spellman tells me your cheesecake is the best on the planet, is that so?”

“So we’re told by many customers. It is excellent, you have my word.”

“Well in that case, could I trouble you for some to takeaway please? And if you could be as discreet as possible.” As she spoke, she flourished her credit card into Chloe’s hand. “Ms Spellman is not to pay for it under any circumstances.”

Smiling, Chloe took the card, “I’ll be right back.” True to her word, she reappeared with a freshly made cheesecake in a nondescript white box that fit perfectly inside Lilith’s handbag. Tipping the woman generously for her discretion, Lilith thanked her again. Zelda returned having freshened up her makeup and hair and they gathered their belongings to make their way out into the night air.


The city enveloped them in frost as they journeyed through Brooklyn. Lilith fought the urge to chide herself for not wearing more suitable attire as she stifled a shiver. Feeling the cheesecake against the side of her handbag made a flush of warmth run through her. Zelda linked her and they hurried up the steps into Lilith’s apartment.

No sooner had they fallen in the door, Lilith entwined her fingers with Zelda’s and kissed her. Taking hold of Lilith’s waist, Zelda sighed deeply into her mouth and caressed the side of her face. The dancing had ignited more passion and Lilith had felt a strange disappointment that they hadn’t danced to the slow songs.

“Did you like the music earlier?” Zelda asked quietly, her lips tracing over Lilith’s neck.

“I did. It’s a pity we didn’t dance for longer.” She heard herself say it and immediately wanted to stuff the words back inside her.

“Hmm, I thought so too. I wanted to dance at least one slow one with you.”

Lilith swallowed hard. What was happening? Zelda was kissing her cheek and then her lips and Lilith was finding it impossible not to enjoy every second of it. Her eyes closed and she pulled Zelda in closer, feeling the woman’s arms wrap around her back. Reaching around, Lilith picked up the remote and turned on the sound system. Eric Clapton’s version of Wonderful Tonight started playing and Zelda made a deeply satisfied humming sound.

“Seeing as you’re going away tomorrow, I suppose I can grant that request,” Lilith purred.

Pressing their lips together, they swayed almost hugging each other. It was the best kiss Lilith had ever had, soft with the right amount of pressure when needed. Normally she wouldn’t indulge in anything this tender, but there was something incredibly comforting about Zelda that reassured her.

Suddenly, Lilith’s eyes pricked with tears and she slammed them shut hoping it would stop them. Of course, this made it worse and she parted from Zelda’s lips to kiss her neck and avoid her noticing. It worked. The sound of Zelda’s moans was sweet enough to drown out how Lilith felt. Then the song was over, and Lilith lifted her head to look at Zelda. With her eyes dilated, her lipstick ruined and her hair threatening to become unruly at the mercy of Lilith’s fingers, she looked radiant.

Leading her to the bedroom, Lilith entwined her fingers with Zelda’s.

“I thought about what I want.” Zelda announced, twirling some of Lilith’s curls around her forefinger.

“Is that so? And what is it you desire?” Lilith walked over to the windows and drew the curtains.

“Mm, well it involves…these.” From her handbag, Zelda revealed a set of sturdy looking handcuffs.

Quirking an eyebrow, Lilith grinned. “Bondage. I never would have thought… and what’s your safe word?”

“Pazazu,” Zelda answered instantly.

Lilith’s grin widened. “I should have known you’d be a fan of The Exorcist, excellent choice-” she stopped suddenly.

“What’s wrong?” Zelda looked concerned that she had put her foot in it for a second time that evening.

Lilith smiled, “Nothing. Excuse me for just a second.” Exiting the room, she returned a moment later with her handbag. Placing it on the dresser, she removed the white box containing the cheesecake.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about what you said earlier,” she said, opening the lid of the box and removing the cake along with a smaller tub filled with something indistinguishable.

Zelda’s jaw dropped as she recognised the dessert. “Aren’t you a sly little thing? How did you….oh!” the penny dropped as she realised how Lilith had managed to do this without her seeing. “What’s that?” she pointed to the small tub.

“Fudge,” Lilith replied, “ready to eat, or, it can be heated.”

A low, throaty laugh came from Lilith as she saw a shiver run through Zelda at the idea.

“Tell me more about what you want, Zelda.”

Swallowing hard, Zelda watched as Lilith moved closer to her, eyes wide with curiosity and her lips curling into a devious grin.

Zelda whimpered and then felt Lilith’s hand on her waist holding her steady. Zelda leaned in, engulfing Lilith’s mouth with her own and slid her tongue deeply into the woman’s mouth. Lilith plunged her tongue in to meet Zelda’s, feeling the handcuffs that were still in the woman’s hand, brush against her back.

Easing off from the kiss, Lilith whispered, “We won’t do anything you don’t want to do,” against her lips. Zelda nodded, her breathing was already ragged, her face flushed; and her eyelids heavy with arousal.

“How long will the fudge take to heat up?”

Lilith laughed, “Not long,” she reached behind her taking the handcuffs in front to inspect them, “hmm, whatever will we do with these?”

“Tie me up,” Zelda blurted out. Lilith watched her carefully, lifting a strand of unruly hair away from her eyelashes.

“Are you sure?”   

Zelda nodded and as she went to kiss Lilith, she felt the woman pull away.

“Say it for me, Zelda.”

“I want you to tie me up.”

“And?” a wicked smile filled Lilith’s features as she eyed the fudge sauce behind them.

“I want you to tie me up and eat that cheesecake and hot fudge off me, naked.” Zelda inhaled shakily at how foreign the words sounded coming from her.

“Hmm,” Lilith purred, stroking Zelda’s hair and lifting her chin. Dropping her hand, she walked over to the bed and sat down, crossing her legs. Beckoning Zelda over, Lilith stopped her when she was standing in front of her.

 “I want to watch you get undressed first.”

Only too happy to obey, Zelda unzipped the side of her little black dress and slipped the straps down her shoulders. Then, sliding her hips from side to side the dress fell down her torso of its own accord, showcasing the elegant black and emerald lined bra she wore. Lilith watched with approval, her eyes roaming the expanse of alabaster skin that was being exposed slowly.

Reaching forward she took hold of Zelda’s hips and coaxed her in towards her. “Hmm, it’s too good just to watch,” she hummed.

Rolling the dress over Zelda’s thighs revealed a beautiful matching set of black and emerald underwear. The longing to tear it off her was growing and Lilith felt herself become wet with desire for her. Planting a kiss on Zelda’s stomach, she pushed the dress down until it pooled at her feet.

Stepping out of her heels, Zelda knelt on the bed, straddling Lilith as she had the night before. Kissing up along her sternum, Lilith undid her bra at the back and continued her ministrations along the beautiful pale stretch of skin on her chest. Zelda discarded her bra, her breasts pressing into Lilith’s mouth one at a time, causing the redhead to moan aloud. Her nipples were ridiculously tight from the tension of watching Lilith all evening. Letting her fingers entangle in the dark hair before her, Zelda started to undo the zip on Lilith’s dress. Abruptly, Lilith stopped what she was doing and turned so Zelda was lying on the bed.

“Not so fast, good things come to those who wait, Miss Spellman.”

Zelda bit her lip, she squirmed on the bed as Lilith dangled the handcuffs in front of her.

“Remind me, what’s your safe word?”

“Pazazu.”

“Good girl.”

Clasping her hands to the wrought iron headboard, Lilith locked the cuffs around Zelda’s wrists and then in a split second, she was off the bed and taking the container of fudge into the kitchen.

“I’ll be back momentarily. Don’t move. Not even an inch.” There was a slight warning to her tone that made Zelda tremble with pleasure. What would happen if she disobeyed? She lay clamped to the bed listening for Lilith’s return. There was the distinct sound of the microwave whirring in the next room for what felt like a few minutes and then the sound of Lilith’s heels clicking on the floor as she entered wearing nothing except a pair of red silk French panties and her shoes. Zelda exhaled with a shudder of delight at the sight of her. Everything about Lilith was so well-cared for, it was impossible not to be captivated by her.

The icy blue eyes glimmered at Zelda as she approached the dresser and cut herself a generous slice of cheesecake. Balancing it on top of the steaming hot fudge container, Lilith climbed over Zelda’s legs and knelt astride her.

“I’ll give this a minute to cool, don’t want to send you to hospital with third degree burns now do we?” Lilith laughed.

“The hotter the better.” Zelda answered, sliding her shin along the inside of Lilith’s thigh.

“Oh, really?” Lilith set the cheesecake to the side.

“Really,” Zelda responded so fast that Lilith grinned devilishly and lifted the hot fudge up. She poured a tiny drop onto Zelda’s thigh and saw the muscles tighten under the skin at the contact.

“More,” Zelda whined.

With a raised eyebrow, Lilith asked, “Is this you asking me for a favour?”

A low growl emitted from Zelda and Lilith chuckled at her frustration.

“Please,” she groaned through gritted teeth.

Lilith leaned down and lapped at the spot where she’d dribbled the fudge. Her tongue was like a balm to the sensitive skin.

“Please, Lilith, more…”

“Ooh, when you say it like that how can I resist?”

With that, Lilith carefully poured more fudge along Zelda’s stomach, stopping just before she reached her breasts. Her tongue followed, causing Zelda to arch her back and moan. Lilith watched Zelda gyrate against her tongue, her chest heaving at the heat from the fudge.

“More?” she asked teasingly.

Zelda nodded, “Yes, more, please, more!”

Rising up onto her knees, Lilith poured the remainder of the hot fudge over both of Zelda’s breasts. When the hot liquid spilled over her nipples, Zelda let out a gasp that quickly turned to an erotically charged cry as Lilith’s tongue and lips set about soothing her. It was a beautiful show from Lilith’s perspective; watching Zelda writhe and convulse as her tongue sent the woman spiralling to new heights of ecstasy, electrifying all her nerves at once. Relentless in pleasing her, Lilith took her time encircling the bud of each nipple between her teeth and sucking all the fudge off of it.

Reaching a particular spot where her mouth was angled just right, Lilith felt Zelda’s thighs tremble under her. Biting down on the back of her tongue released more saliva into her mouth and she let the deluge of wetness cover Zelda’s aching nipple. Pressing her thigh in between Zelda’s legs, Lilith thrusted her strong muscles against the saturated underwear.

Zelda squirmed in the restraints, keening and grinding against Lilith’s mouth until finally she cried out, “Oh god, Lilith, harder, please!” Lilith sucked and pressed harder and harder until Zelda bucked violently against her, crying out with her entire body shaking. Zelda moaned long and hard into the air with Lilith continuing to kiss her gently until she calmed down.

Stroking Zelda’s hair, Lilith released the handcuffs and gathered the woman to her. Weak from the orgasm, Zelda tried to wrap her arms around her, but they fell limply by her side, shaking as they did so. Instead, Lilith took both of her wrists and drew them in against her chest as Zelda caught her breath. Holding her like this should have felt uncomfortable. They were practically strangers and yet, it felt in some ways as though they had known each other for years. Lilith noticed how easy it was to comfort Zelda and how well she fit in her arms. That was something she had never thought about with anyone before and she wondered why it stood out to her now. Before she had long to think about it, Zelda lifted her head.

“I think I might need some fuel before we go on.”

“Are you ok?”

“Perfectly fine, thank you.” She kissed Lilith’s chest, her hands still shaking a bit as she moved. Shifting on the bed, Lilith propped some pillows up behind them and gestured for Zelda to sit up.

“I’ll get you some water.”

She returned with two large glasses to find Zelda lying against the pillows with the slice of cheesecake on her abdomen, looking fully recovered. A wide grin appeared on Lilith’s face and she picked up the fork that Zelda was holding. Dipping it into the cheesecake, she lifted a piece towards Zelda’s mouth.

“Open wide,” she said in a playfully condescending tone.

Unimpressed, but too hungry to retort, Zelda opened her mouth and laughed as Lilith struggled to fit the entire piece in. Wrapping her lips around it, Zelda locked eyes with Lilith. Something was on Lilith’s mind and Zelda searched her face for clues as she chewed and swallowed slowly.

“You look deep in thought.”

“Hm, I was admiring the marks I’ve left on your beautiful skin,” Lilith brushed her fingertip along the swathes of red that ran from Zelda’s belly up along her breasts.

“They’ll clear soon enough.” Zelda assured her.

“They will.” Lilith agreed.

Zelda broke off some cheesecake with her fingers and sat forward tempting Lilith with it.

“Didn’t anyone ever teach you it’s rude to eat with your hands, Miss Spellman?”

“Mm, no one said anything about feeding someone else with them now, did they?”

Lilith laughed and leaned forward, her thin, red lips enclosing Zelda’s fingertips; and her tongue licking up the length of her fingers slowly. Zelda’s lips parted, letting out a soft sigh of desire as she watched the woman’s long black eyelashes flutter down and back up revealing her aqua coloured eyes shimmering around a deeply dilated black pupil.

When Lilith’s lips reached the tips of Zelda’s fingers, she paused to look at her. Zelda moved her hand to caress Lilith’s face, stroking the prominent cheekbone that jutted out. Lilith watched Zelda take in every aspect of her features to the point where it became difficult to stay still. It was as if the woman was memorising everything about how she looked right here in this moment. Tugging Lilith towards her, Zelda pressed her lips to hers again, gentler this time. Their tongues softly prodded each other, tasting each other as much as they could.

They stayed like that, feeding each other the rest of the cheesecake in between stories of what they were both up to over the coming weeks. Once the cake was well and truly finished, Lilith stood and offered her hand to Zelda, bringing her into the bathroom. There, she turned on the shower and guided her in with her. Lathering up the soap on Zelda’s belly, Lilith dutifully washed any residue from their play off both of them. As she did so, Zelda administered kisses to her neck and throat and eventually took the soap from her to return the favour. Stepping out of the shower, they dried off and Lilith gave her a cute satin nightdress to wear whilst slipping into something similar.

They crawled into bed and as Lilith pulled the duvet up over them, she felt Zelda’s hand on her waist. Scooching closer, Zelda placed her head next to Lilith’s and drew her arm further around her.

“And what about you?”

“Hmm?” Lilith murmured, unsure if she caught the full question.

“Have you thought about what you want?”

Lilith gave a short, gleeful laugh., “Tonight was about you, Zelda. It’s your last night. Besides, you’re not the only one who enjoyed the spectacle.”

“Mm,” a soft moan came from Zelda, “you certainly took me by surprise. The best kind of surprise.”

Zelda was kissing her again and Lilith felt her roll over on top of her.

“Can I be selfish and ask for one more thing?” Zelda was playing with the straps of Lilith’s nightdress and stroking the skin beneath them with both hands.

“And what’s that?” Lilith asked, encircling her arms around Zelda’s waist.

A brief silence lingered in the dark of the room. The noise of cars outside like white noise in the background. Lilith blinked, waiting for Zelda who was eying her cautiously.

“Can I see you again…when I come back in a few weeks?”

Lilith’s breath caught in her throat. She hadn’t expected that. In her mind this had been their last night together. Of course, she had secretly hoped that the opportunity would present itself for them to meet again, but she hadn’t allowed herself to believe Zelda would ask outright.

“I understand if you don’t want to, I just w-“

“I’d love to.”

In the dark, Lilith saw Zelda’s eyes sparkle just as they had done in the dim light of the gallery. She was smiling and Lilith smiled too. Inclining her head, Lilith seized Zelda’s lips in a kiss and Zelda started kissing her way down to Lilith’s breasts. Plucking both nipples out from under the nightgown, Zelda laid hot, wet kisses atop them and felt Lilith twitch and wriggle under her.

After a while, Zelda settled her head down next to Lilith and fell into a deep sleep. Lilith watched her drift off peacefully and wondered at how quickly things can change when one least expects it.

Morning came, with sunlight spilling in through the curtains. Brooklyn was waking up and it demanded that Lilith and Zelda did too. Seeing that Zelda was yawning and stretching beside her, Lilith smiled.

“Good morning. Sleep well?”

“Good morning. I did, you?”

“Yes, actually. Normally the street noise keeps me awake.” She stretched her lithe limbs and threw the duvet back, sliding out of bed. “How do eggs and toast sound?”

“Wonderful,” Zelda nodded, “can I help?”

“You can grind the coffee beans if you like. I know how good you are at grinding.”

Zelda gasped in faux shock, a grin lighting up her features. “You really are hilarious; you should do stand up,” she said sarcastically.

“Done it. Not my thing.”

Zelda looked at her curiously, “You’ve done stand up?”

“Yes. Once. There’s very little I haven’t tried.” Lilith said it with such directness that Zelda merely shook her head in surprise.

“C’mon, let’s eat.”

They cooked and breakfasted together, finding there was plenty more to talk about and with great ease. Glancing at the clock, Lilith saw that she was going to be late for work.

“Shit! I didn’t realise that was the time.” Hopping down from the counter seat, she grabbed her coat and handbag and Zelda followed suit. Hurriedly they made their way out to the cold morning air.

“Are you heading home?” Lilith asked.

“Yes, I need to collect a few things then go straight to the airport. I can walk you to the gallery.”

“Excellent.”

They walked briskly in the direction of the gallery. Outside, Lilith fumbled with her keys as she searched for the one that opened the shutter. Zelda looked like there was something she wanted to say but was reluctant as they were pressed for time.

“Everything ok?” Lilith asked as they walked down the steps of the building.

“Yes, perfect. I’ll leave you here. Have a good day.”

“Thank you, you too,” Lilith turned and locked eyes with her. Time was of the essence, so Zelda kissed her quickly on the cheek and said shyly, “you have my number if you want to stay in touch.”

The penny dropped. Lilith’s eyes widened, “Yes, I have your card.” Awkwardly, she returned the kiss on the cheek. They looked at each other uncertainly for a moment before Lilith kissed her properly. Zelda kissed her back, gently stroking her jawline. They lingered there for a few moments until Lilith broke away softly.

“Thank you for a wonderful time, Lilith.”

“It was my pleasure. Thank you too. I’ll be in touch.”

Zelda smiled as she headed back up the steps. Lilith opened up the gallery and set about preparing everything for the upcoming clients. Throughout the day a pleased grin took over Lilith every now and then as the same image returned to her mind; that of Zelda writhing beneath her, crying out her name as she suckled hot fudge off her body. 

Notes:

There's now an extra tag for bondage because hey, for the day that's in it I figured why not throw some hanky panky in there. As always, I love to hear your thoughts.

Chapter 6: VI

Summary:

L: “You certainly know how to get a girls attention. Pray tell, what was it that made you come so hard?”

Looking down at her phone, she saw it was shaking. No, her hand was shaking. It had been so unexpected and was such an exquisite sound that she felt it reverberate in her eardrums over and over.

Z: “The thought of your mouth on me.”

Notes:

So, I edited Clover's dialogue a little in case it was too difficult and distracting to decipher. The content is the same, the grammar is edited.

Chapter Text

The weekend arrived, bringing with it a sense of déjà vu. On Sunday, Lilith found herself walking through The Whitney Museum of American Art alone, cradling a coffee. It was her first visit and although the work was new to her, it was starting to meld with all the other galleries she had seen. The only difference was that for once, she was totally unfocused on the actual art itself. Instead, her mind was engaged in drifting thoughts of what it would be like to share this experience with someone. The last time Lilith had visited an art gallery or museum with a paramour was…well, it wouldn’t do to think about that right now. Lilith pitied women who yearned to be in a relationship and she made no secret of her sentiments either. Especially when the woman in question was in a relationship with a man. She had had her fair share of relations with men, but the experiences had always left her wanting. There was something about women that had always held more appeal for her. In fact, Lilith found it difficult to discern how people weren’t in awe of women everywhere. The way women moved fascinated her. The way they spoke and laughed. How women had adapted over time to live in a world built for and designed by men, whilst retaining their own inner strength.

Lilith knew that the ability to contain multitudes is a quality shared by the sexes, but it isn’t always equally so. It was for this reason that she had moved to New York alone. She yearned to be free of the expectations that small town living placed on her and yet, in her heart she felt that one day she would return and live in a cottage surrounded by love and light. Maybe one day. Returning to the present moment, she winced. The sterile lighting in the museum was irritating her eyes and truthfully, she wasn’t taking anything in anyway. Sighing aloud, she decided she had had enough art for one Sunday. Leaving the building, she headed towards Washington Square Park.

Walking below the giant archway, Lilith saw a group of children playing by the enormous fountain just ahead of her. The jubilant sound distracted her from how she felt, and she moved closer to the steps surrounding the fountain. Sitting down on an empty slab, she watched and listened to the people in the park. Everyday humdrum sounds that were mostly indistinct but collided together to form a melodious chorus. It was the tune of a city that never sleeps. While she was glad to be a part of it, there was the persistent idea that she might eventually start to feel lonely if things continued the way they had since she arrived here.

At first it had been easy to ignore; there was so much to do and explore, but as time went on Lilith noticed a growing sense of dissatisfaction. The time of year didn’t help. December had only started and already the halls were decked. Everywhere lay reminders that this was a time for family and togetherness; two things she wasn’t entirely fond of.

On the far side of the park the dulcet tones of carol singers filled the winter air. Looking over, Lilith smiled at the pretty sight; a blonde, a brunette and a redhead, each dressed in red velvet tea dresses and green velvet coats with black, high heeled Mary-Janes adorning their feet. They were wonderful singers, that she couldn’t deny. Of the three women, the redhead stood out most visibly. The colour of the dress should have clashed with her hair; but it only served to enhance it, drawing the eye to the woman even more.

Her hair was a nice shade of red, but it wasn’t quite as lovely as...

Not that Lilith was thinking about her at all.

Glancing around, she chided herself silently. It had been less than two days since Zelda left for Boston and the idea of contacting her had been playing on Lilith’s mind ever since. It was absurd she told herself. The woman wasn’t due back in the city for another three weeks and even then, Zelda may not actually have been serious about wanting to meet again. Quietly, Lilith laughed at herself. Had she been serious? The kiss they had on the steps outside the gallery came back to her and her eyes fluttered shut as a thrill spilled down her spine. It had been hotter and better than she had anticipated. The fact that they couldn’t have full on sex had added to the mystique of this woman who had waltzed into the art gallery only a few days previous. There was something about Zelda that made Lilith feel strangely as though they had known each other in some previous life. As if they had briefly met and hoped their paths would cross at a more fortuitous time in their lives.

Not that she was thinking about the woman at all.

Picking up her wallet, Lilith rifled through the cards that she had collected. Zelda’s peeked out at the front with the familiar image of a pregnant woman’s silhouette. Thumbing it, Lilith bit her lip. Eyes flicking up, she considered what she would say if she were to contact Zelda. Again, her eye was drawn to the redhead singing Carol of the Bells. Rising from the step, she wandered in the direction of the singers. Rummaging in her pocket she took out her phone and joined the crowd who had gathered to listen.

Lilith recorded a short video of the three women singing, rotating the phone as she scanned across their faces until she landed at the redhead. Playing it back with the volume lowered, she added a quick caption.

“The city so nice they named it twice…I can see why. Did you arrive safely?”

Hitting send before she could overthink it, Lilith quickly locked her phone screen and continued watching the singers.

“If she doesn’t answer, it’s no big deal,” she told herself. Flirting via text was nothing new to her, but she felt like the regular stuff was too cliched for a woman like Zelda. It felt better to send something safe, even if she didn’t know why.

The redhead was looking at her and Lilith met her gaze with full-on confidence. Smiling, the redhead gave a demure look back. It thrilled Lilith to no end that she had this effect on women and men alike. One of the things she was most proud of was having turned several seemingly straight women, not to mention her fair share of men who previously thought they were strictly gay.

Feeling her phone vibrate in her hand, Lilith looked down.

Zelda: “Ah, there you are. I did, thank you. This is very pretty. Although I must admit, when the video popped up, I rather hoped it would be of you.”

Lilith smirked. That was quicker than she expected. Swerving around to walk away from the crowd, she bore a smile that could not be contained. Mulling over what to say, she clicked the phone screen closed and made her way to the kerb to hail the first taxi she saw. Giving the driver her address, she noted with some gratitude that he wasn’t the talkative kind. Sitting back in the seat, she took out her phone and reread the message. Her fingers moved nimbly over the keypad.

L: “I’m a woman of many talents, but singing is not one of them.”

Eyelids fluttering down low in satisfaction at her ability to tease, Lilith glanced up and saw the twinkling Christmas lights that decorated shopfronts as the taxi sped away from the heart of Manhattan and towards Bedford-Stuyvesant. Traffic was unusually quiet today, even for a Sunday. Yes, she thought to herself, the best way to spend today was not at a museum. It was at home. A place she rarely got to see and enjoy because she was always busy during the day. Perhaps it was time to make herself cosy in the apartment with some wine, good food and a movie. And maybe more depending on how things went. Leaning forward, she spoke to the driver.

“Can you drop me off at the next corner, please?”


Across the street from her apartment was a grocer that Lilith favoured. It was family-run and they had the freshest ingredients in the neighbourhood. She preferred to give her money to a small business, especially when the people were so helpful. As a little girl, her grandmother had brought her here and Clover, the warm Jamaican lady who ran the business, knew Lilith since she was a young girl.

After her grandmother passed away and she was a starving art student, Lilith had turned up to the shop on many occasions not knowing how to cook substantial meals for herself. Clover had asked her what she liked, flavours, textures and meats; and then brought her to the kitchen, where she imparted decades-worth of knowledge to the young woman about how to cook. Clover made the best Caribbean food this side of New York and Lilith took full advantage of living so close to her.

Entering the shop, she saw Clover busy behind the counter packing up some plantain for a woman who was chattering in Patois. Picking up a basket, Lilith meandered over to some large bulbs of French Garlic and positioned herself in Clover’s eyeline. The old woman saw her and immediately chuckled, winking at her. Smiling, Lilith plucked some of the garlic from the table and anything else that caught her eye. Waiting for Clover to finish up with the lady, Lilith sidled over to the deli counter where there was a selection of plump, juicy meats lining the rotisserie.

The place smelled warm with a hint of spice and several green and red chili peppers perched in fanciful ways around the food. It reminded her of her grandmother and lots of happy, sunny days spent listening to ska and reggae as the brilliant scent of food cooked with love filled her senses.

“Lilith! You look beautiful as eva. How are you today, mi dear?”

“Excellent, thank you, Clover. How are you?”

Descending on Lilith to give her a bear hug, Clover laughed.

“Can't complain. What can I get you?”

“I’m thinking of trying my hand at that wonderful curried goat you showed me last time.”

Clover hitched her mouth to one side in a smirk. “Mmhm. Dis a special occasion?”

“No, ma’am, I’m a little tired and I was hoping to concoct your specialité de la maison because it always revives my senses.”

“An' what has you tired? Work? Hope it not some man causing you grief.”

Lilith laughed harder than she meant to.

“No, I can assure you it’s not work, or a man. I’ve been using my weekends to visit all the museums and galleries in the city, and I think I’ve seen too much today. I just want some comforting food and some wine, maybe a movie.”

Clover clucked her tongue against the roof of her mouth. Her concern for Lilith was written all over her kind features and it made the younger woman smile.

“Best thing you can do go home an' rest. The city an' museums will always be here for you.”

Nodding, Lilith pouted in mild protest. Then, she saw Clover beckoning her with a crooked finger. Whispering, the woman told her, “You in luck! I made a batch of curried goat this afternoon. Come back to di kitchen an' I get you sum.”

Before Lilith could argue, she was being escorted behind the beaded curtains into the small but sufficient pantry at the rear of the shop. There, she watched as Clover opened the lid of a large pot and the most heavenly smell wafted out. The dish was ladled into three large Tupperware boxes and sealed tightly before being stacked into a special bag that contained the heat.

“Oh, Clover that’s far too much!”

“No, it just right. You go an' take care of yourself my dear.”  

They walked back out to the shop floor and Lilith swiftly opened the fridge door, taking out two big bottles of ginger ale.

“Here you go, thank you, my lovely” she quickly took out the money to pay for the drinks as well as an extra wad of cash that she stuffed into the woman’s hands. Clover’s face wrinkled into anger, “Lilith, your grandmotha would curse me. I'm happy to take care of you.”

“I won’t hear of it, you’re far too good to me and I owe you more than money is worth.”

Clover’s expression softened. “You call if you need anythin', you hear?”

“I promise.” Lilith winked at her and was gone.


Returning the short distance to her apartment, Lilith hastened to spoon the food into a bowl for herself. It was piping hot, which gave her enough time to change into a comfortable pair of silk pyjamas, a dressing gown and fluffy socks.

In place of a tv, Lilith had a projector and a perfectly spacious wall to shine it onto. Switching it on, she searched her film selection for something that jumped out at her. Her fingers hovered over Gilda. Plucking it out, she read the blurb at the back and decided a classy film noir starring Rita Hayworth was just the ticket. Fetching her favourite blanket and a pillow, Lilith nestled onto the couch and started the movie. The opening credits played with the glorious soundtrack crackling out through the speakers. A low vibrating sound from the kitchen alerted her to the fact that her phone was in her handbag. Fetching it, she saw a new message from Zelda.

Z: “I wouldn’t discount your singing voice as I’ve yet to hear it, but if the sounds you made with me were anything to go by, I’d say you’re selling yourself short.”

Lilith’s jaw dropped in a devilish grin. Glancing up at the wall where the movie was beginning, she grinned. The woman was flirting shamelessly with her and here she had been nervous about being ghosted.

L: “Me? Never. You were pretty vocal yourself. If I’d known how good you’d sound I would’ve asked to record you.”

Returning to the blanket fort she had constructed for herself on the couch, Lilith inhaled deeply. Never one to shy away from an opportunity to make things interesting she hoped Zelda would use this form of communication wisely. A short, sharp vibration buzzed.

Z: “Was there something in particular you liked?”

Determined not to be bested at this game, her fingertips again moved quickly over the keypad.

L: “Hmm, quite a lot. If I had to choose, I’m torn between hearing you gasping for more and….

Lilith hesitated. She wanted to say, “the way your voice crackled when you asked if we could see each other again”, but it felt too intimate. Something about that moment had revealed a vulnerability in Zelda that was endearing, but also too much. Instead, she typed:

“…and moaning my name while you came for me.”

Pleased with herself, she took a large sip of ginger ale and began to dig into her food. It was fair to say she could be somewhat arrogant about her sexual prowess, but Lilith secretly longed for someone who met her levels of insatiability. Someone who wasn’t threatened by the power she wielded in and out of the bedroom. Watching as Rita Hayworth made her first onscreen appearance in the film, she smiled. Someone like that, she mused. At that moment, her phone buzzed.

Z: “You certainly chose a fine time to tell me that. I’m at a family dinner that seems interminable…”

Lilith’s mouth puckered in uncertainty for a moment until another message flashed up.

Z: “I keep thinking of the way you touched me when you were helping me figure out what I like.”

It surprised her that that was the moment Zelda was most drawn to, nonetheless Lilith sensed what she was getting at.

L: “You seemed to like it. Perhaps we can figure out what else you like between now and when you return to the city.”

She delayed over the choice of words. Something had prevented her from typing “when you return at Christmas…” and she knew it was fear. Fear of being rejected, a small voice whispered. Swiftly, Lilith rebuked herself sharply for such a silly notion. The sound of the phone buzzing distracted her.

Z: “I’d like that. I have some ideas.”

L: “I’m all ears.”

Z: “I should hope so. It’ll have to wait ‘til I’m alone sadly. What are you doing?”

L: “Eating my favourite food and watching an old movie, Gilda. Have you seen it?”

Z: “A long time ago. Rita Hayworth is beautiful in it if I remember correctly.”

L: “She is. It’s a rare thing to find a woman who can make a hair flip sexy, but she manages it. What kind of movies do you like?”

Z: “Horror, but classic ones like The Shining and The Omen. Some old movies too, mostly from the ‘60’s. You?”

Ah, yes. Lilith recalled that Zelda’s safe word had been the name for the Devil in The Exorcist. With a wry smile, she replied, “I like horror too. Although I’m more of a B-movie fan. Something about the style is just very me.”

Staring at the screen, an odd feeling flared up in the back of her mind. Pushing it away, Lilith set the phone on the table and tucked back into her food and the movie. Sundays were for rest and self-care and this was what it looked like for her today. She couldn’t allow herself to get too caught up in what Zelda was doing, they barely knew each other. Besides, she had a very full-on week of work ahead and there was no telling how much free time she would have in the run up to Christmas.  

Later, after the movie had long since finished and Lilith had devoured a significant portion of the curried goat and rice, she moved to the kitchen and poured herself some wine. A vibration from the phone on the table startled her. Wondering what Zelda meant earlier, she made her way back to the phone out of curiosity. Unlocking the screen, she saw a notification flash up that she had received a voice note of approximately 7 seconds duration. Pressing play, she heard the unmistakable voice of the woman who had shared her bed for the last two nights. The sound of Zelda gasping, clearly at the apex of orgasm, filled the room. Lilith stood stock still, the effect of the noise washing over her. A low curling in her stomach stirred as she inhaled to steady herself. Closing her eyes, the visual of the woman coming undone on her lap flashed in her mind. Setting her wine down, she fell heavily onto the couch beneath her and clutched the blanket in between her fingers as she typed.

L: “Was it good for you?”

Z: “Mm, what do you think?”

L: “You certainly know how to get a girls attention. Pray tell, what was it that made you come so hard?”

Looking down at her phone, she saw it was shaking. No, her hand was shaking. It had been so unexpected and was such an exquisite sound that she felt it reverberate in her eardrums over and over.

Z: “The thought of your mouth on me.”

Gulping down a large mouthful of wine, Lilith slid a hand under her pyjama bottoms and began stroking purposefully between her thighs. Already worked up, it wasn’t going to take much, and Zelda had awakened a need in her that she hadn’t felt for quite some time. As the effect began to wind its way through her, Lilith quickly typed.

“I need more.”

She could see Zelda was online and typing immediately. Her speed increased as the longing to see the next message became overwhelming.

Z: “If you were here, I’d press my tongue against your clit until it was throbbing in my mouth…Then I’d slide my fingers into you and make you scream for me…”

Lilith moaned loudly, stroking herself into oblivion, her hips grinding in response to the stimulation. God, she needed it. Not that she couldn’t get herself off without Zelda’s help, but it was…different. She couldn’t place why and right now it didn’t matter. All that mattered was that she got what she…

“Ohhhhh, fuck yes!”

She felt it rock through her with such force that it dragged down her spine. Her hips grinded as she bellowed into the empty apartment. The idea of Zelda’s mouth against her was so delicious and not knowing what it felt like threatened to drive her insane in the moment. Grabbing at her phone, she typed.

L: “Mmm, that’s so unfair. I had to make myself come from words and the memory of your face alone.”

Z: “Oh, I’m sorry. Did you not enjoy it?”

Scrambling to text in some form of a coherent style, Lilith managed:

L: “I’ll let you know as soon as my legs stop shaking.”

Settling herself into the blanket on the couch, Lilith drank more wine. The warmth and acidity flooded her tongue and throat as she breathed deeply, letting the aftermath of the orgasm run over her.

A winking emoji from Zelda appeared on the screen.

“Glad to be of service. Is there anything further I can assist with?”

Lilith smirked as she typed back.

“Are you sure you’re not spent? That recording sounded like I took an awful lot out of you.”

Z: “I recover quickly. Besides it’s not as effective as being there in the flesh. If it’s too much for you, I can always tone it down.”

A genuine smile crossed Lilith’s features.

L: “It’s just right. I promise I’ll tell you if it isn’t. I have no problem saying no to anyone. Even if they do look magnificent calling my name in the throes of ecstasy.”

Z: “I’m glad you can’t see me blushing. And I promise the same.”

A resurgence of an emotion Lilith had felt earlier that day rose in her chest.

L: “Good to know. As lovely as this has been, I’m afraid it’s a school night and I have to be up early. I can’t fight off unruly clients with less than 8 hours beauty sleep.”

Z: “And I can’t grade papers on less than that either. Goodnight, Miss Porter.”

L:” Goodnight, Miss Spellman.”

Locking her phone, Lilith stared at the wall in front of her. The thought struck her once again that it was impossible to know where life is taking us from one moment to the next. Shifting out of her blankets, she gathered all her bedclothes to her and made her way to her room. Stepping into the bathroom, she brushed her teeth and cleansed her face of the day she had had. Slipping in between the sheets, she lay there for a moment before opening her phone and reading through the exchange again. In the quiet of her room, she played the voice note and listened to the erotic tones of Zelda Spellman coming for her.

Chapter 7: VII

Summary:

Smugly, Lilith typed, “What do we say?”

Z: “…please?”

L: “I’m glad that’s catching on. Tell me how you’d want me to fuck you?”

Z: “So hard that I have to bite the sheets to keep from screaming. I want you to bend me over a table and stroke me, nice and slowly. I want to feel you slip your fingers inside me.”

Chapter Text

The following week found Lilith up to her eyes with work. The festive season always meant there was an influx of new artists looking for patronage and this year was no different. This was the part of her job that she enjoyed the most; mixing with the artists and hearing about what they were working on. While she was pleased to be busy, there was no denying how often she checked her phone when a quiet moment presented itself. She hadn’t heard from Zelda in a few days and was determined to let the woman make the next move. After all, Zelda had grown massively in confidence via text and quite quickly too. Lilith suspected alcohol had been involved on Zelda’s side also during their previous tête-à-tête as she seemed to have left her inhibitions behind. There was no telling what she might come up with given a bit of space.

Lilith was also occupied preparing the gallery for the owner’s return. He had called to say he was back in town for a few days and there was an inevitable meeting that she would need to endure.

Now, the thing you should know about this gallery owner is that he is the least likely individual to own such an establishment. Art galleries are usually owned by people who keep abreast of all the current trends in the art world and are wholly invested in the maintenance and display of exhibitions. Not so here. In fact, the owner, Faustus Blackwood, had inherited the business from a distant relative a few years previous. As the two were not well-acquainted and Blackwood was not a fan of New York, he had done everything in his power to divest himself of the inheritance. When he failed to find anyone willing to take it off his hands, he decided to hire a manager in his place. This went against the advice of his attorneys, who felt he could make a killing running the business solo in New York due to the building’s locale and the diverse variety of artists the gallery could attract. Over the course of several months many applied for the position of manager, none were suitable; and he was about to give up. Until, one fine day, a dark-haired, bright-eyed, intelligent woman appeared in search of employment.

Lilith wasn’t thrilled at the salary prospects, but she found Blackwood to be reasonable if something of a philistine. When she revealed that she was an artist herself and had made some sales independently, he was forthcoming in offering her further income via occasionally selling her work. It would be via his approval of course and initially she had believed this to be enough incentive to keep her working on several pieces simultaneously. However, as time had elapsed, Blackwood seemed to be undergoing a personal crisis and Lilith found she was being increasingly turned down each time she presented new work to him. This led to her taking matters into her own hands and doing so with the utmost discretion. Lilith knew she wasn’t above the law, but after all a girl has to eat.

Busying herself with cleaning and ensuring everything was up to scratch, Lilith anxiously looked out the window. No sign of him. It was already after lunch and she grew weary that he would turn up at the most inopportune time, most likely just as she was closing. Pacing the floor, she looked over at the man who was inspecting a painting with a monocle. She was on the brink of asking if he needed any assistance when the door swung open. Striding in with the air of a man who has too much to do and not enough time to do it in, the owner coughed against the winter air.

 “Lilith! Hello, how are you?”

“Ah, Faustus! I was beginning to think you weren’t coming. Very well, thank you, and you?”

He slung his hand through his dark, slicked back hair and extended his other hand to greet Lilith. Gingerly, she shook it wondering why he always made such a show of his hair when he came into the gallery.

“As good as can be expected, I suppose. Are we busy today?”

Nervously, Lilith’s eyes darted around the space and she saw the lone man who had been closely examining the painting turn to leave.

“With artists? Yes. Customers? Not really, I’m afraid.”

“Hmm. I suppose that’s the same everywhere. Shall we discuss the plans for the new unveilings then?”

Lilith nodded, “Yes, I have them right here. I was thinking-”

“Would you mind if we went out for a bit, I have no desire to be stuck in here for the afternoon.”

Lilith blinked in astonishment. “Out? But there’s no one else to look after the gallery?”

“I’m sure any potential buyers can wait if you close up for a few hours. Nothing’s happening anyway and I have the most odious migraine.” Pinching the bridge of his nose, he ducked his head down against the glare of daylight pouring in through the window.

Taken aback, Lilith hesitated. A philistine he may be, but it was entirely out of character for the man to want her to close early and leave when there was the slightest chance that money could be made.

“Alright. Where do you want to go?”

Emitting a deep, grunting sigh, he stared out the window for a moment before adding gruffly, “There’s a bar close by if the hair of the pup takes your fancy.” Cocking an eyebrow, he turned his gaze on her. He could plainly see the confusion on Lilith’s face and yet, the offer stood between them. Sensing there was something more to discuss and not knowing how to turn him down, Lilith said the only thing she could think of.

“Let me get my things.”

The bar that had been spoken of was a quiet place, especially at 3 in the afternoon on a Wednesday. It was not the kind of venue Lilith would normally dream of setting foot in, but she was intrigued by the growing panic on her employer’s face. He seemed on the verge of breaking down every so often and then collected himself just enough to continue. Lilith had ordered tea, claiming that she didn’t drink alcohol when Blackwood pressed her to join him in what appeared to be a margarita binge. While he didn’t strike her as a predator, one can never be too careful; and the circumstances surrounding this surreptitious meeting had already aroused her suspicions.

Clawing his fingers through his well-oiled hair again, the man inhaled slowly as if he were about to deliver bad news. It occurred to Lilith that this could be about severance or the business going into liquidation, but she steeled herself knowing that she could help the business if he would only allow her to take full charge of it.

Attempting to be interested, Blackwood smiled, “So, tell me what you were thinking about the unveilings.”

Producing an A4 folder, Lilith opened it and set it on the table between them.

“There’s some truly talented up and coming artists in the area and I took the liberty of collating prints of their work into this handout for you.”

With glee, she showed him page upon page of Brooklyn-based creators all of whom had their own distinct style.

“This one is a wonderful young man I met at the Brooklyn Art Fair. His work is inspired by his time living on the streets and the way the public treat those who are less fortunate. This one is called The Giver. Isn’t it striking?”

Glancing up, Lilith saw Blackwood staring mindlessly at the pages. He looked totally distracted and annoyed.

“What do you think of them?” she prompted when he remained silent.

Blinking, he looked up at her and flicked through the pages pausing at one point before he regarded Lilith with something that resembled dismay.

“Forgive my ignorance, but…I honestly have no interest in any of this. I know that’s a dreadful thing to say, but at the moment…” his voice faltered as he ran his hands through his hair once again and sighed loudly.

Furrowing her brow, Lilith considered him. “You have no interest?”

“No, none at all I’m afraid.”

Lowering her eyes to the prints, she mulled over what the best response was.

“In these paintings specifically, or…?”

“In any of it to be perfectly honest.” The man’s face darkened, and Lilith sat stunned, unsure of how to proceed.

“I’m sorry, Lilith, I don’t mean to waste your time. I’m going through a rather devastating time personally and I can’t seem to focus on anything right now. Not that I was ever that invested truth be known.”

“Well, I’m sorry to hear that. I hope it’s not health related.”

“No, although the stress of it feels like it could have an impact at times.”

Concerned though she was, Lilith wondered why he had brought her here and she felt the increasing uneasiness draw her to say something more.

“I don’t mean to pry, but um, is there something I can do? If the business is taking up too much of your time, perhaps there’s some way I can help? I have plenty of ideas, which I know will work to inject some steady cashflow into the gallery.” Picking up her teacup, she deliberately held the man’s stare for too long as she added, “Of course, if this is something that interests you, we would need to discuss…financial compensation.” Sipping her tea, Lilith flickered her eyelids down awaiting further conversation.

His shoulders lifted and sank forward as he let out a heavy sigh.

“I wish it were that simple. There’s some…legal matters that I’m tending to with regards to my family’s estate. I’ve found myself in considerable financial difficulty as a result, which means it’s impossible for me to increase your salary until everything is sorted.” Wiping his brow, the man’s face crinkled in worry. “I’m unwilling to make these kinds of trips to New York, it’s costly and eats into my time. There are more pressing things I need to attend to.”

Lilith hummed, “I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Yes, well, anyway. It isn’t your problem but believe me if I could hand the business over to you, I would.”

After a moment, Lilith pursed her lips as a thought came to her.

“If I may,” she began cautiously, “can I make a suggestion?”

Splaying his hands outward towards her, he replied, “By all means.”

Adjusting the folder in her hands, Lilith swept it to the side and closed it. Folding her arms in front of her, she decided it was better to try than to never know what the answer could have been.

“While you’re tending to these matters, perhaps it would be best for me to step in and temporarily take your place. If my efforts to increase profit margins are as successful as I believe, we could have a discussion about remuneration...further down the line. When things are steadier perhaps.”

The man stared at her.

“Are you saying you would be prepared to take on more responsibilities for the same rate of pay you’re currently on?”

“No. I’m saying that I can take on your duties and act in your place for a while – until things get sorted out – and then, once we’re making more money, we could discuss my taking a larger cut?”

“But there’s no solid guarantee of that happening. Say you did do this, and we made less money. What then?” he asked with some displeasure.

Tossing her head back, Lilith’s long dark curls cascaded away from her face. “Faustus, as things stand, I am in charge of the daily goings on in the gallery and have been doing so for the last two years. Realistically, we’re talking about a few extra duties, all of which I can handle. I can send you a weekly report if you’d prefer a more frequent update on how things are going. All it comes down to is whether or not this proposal would give you some breathing space, do you think?”

Considering this for a minute, the man’s face softened. Lilith could see he was swayed by the idea of not having to be in the city for a while. Returning her gaze, he said, “Yes, it would. And I can’t argue that you know more than I do about the gallery and art in general.”

Sensing that there was still some hesitation, Lilith posited the question that was stifling the air.

“Do you trust me to run the gallery in your place?”

“Yes, I do.” The man’s dark eyes flashed and flickered at her. His face was deeply lined, more so than the last time they had met and there was every indication that he was depressed. “I’m sorry, I’m a little all over the place at the moment, can’t quite seem to think straight.”

“I understand. It’s a stressful time. Rest assured that I can take care of everything in your absence.”

A crooked smile appeared as he conceded.

“Thank you, Lilith. I’m indebted to you.”


When Lilith returned to the gallery it was almost closing time. The owner had departed in a taxi, which left her free to go home without anyone breathing down her neck.

Walking through the streets, she luxuriated in the early evening air and light. It was a rare sight for her these days with the darkness setting in at 5.30pm. A dusting of snow hinted at what was to come and she smiled at having warm clothes to nestle into.

Arriving at her apartment, she showered and changed before taking more of her treasured takeaway from Clover’s out of the freezer. Pouring herself a glass of red wine, Lilith brought out her easel and painting materials. On the surface, she knew it sounded crazy to take on more work for the same money. What she hadn’t disclosed to her boss was just how much money she was willing to bet she could make. There was no way for him to keep track of sales she made of her own work and with an alias and the support of the gallery behind her, it was plausible for her to charge considerably more than if she were freelance. Besides, he would be busy and out of the state. Coupled with his lack of interest in the business, it gave her free reign.

Revelling in her success, Lilith dined and then set about working on her next painting. Carrying on from the same theme as Love Lock, she carefully crafted the outline of two women; one attempting to read from a book while the other teased her hair from behind. Her mind was free as she lost herself in each stroke of her brush. For this piece she decided to use a new set of oils she had gifted herself the previous week. Rich, vibrant reds filled the canvas in several differing shades. Some with hues of vermillion, scarlet and maroon right down to a candy apple red for the hair of one figure. Then, she mixed this with a golden earthy tone so that it created the illusion of flecks of ore freckling the crown of the central woman in the painting. So agreeably engaged in her craft was she that her head raised in surprise at the sound of her phone vibrating. Humming a melody to herself, Lilith retrieved her phone and took a sip of wine.

Z: “Thought you might like to see this.”

Intrigued, Lilith clicked on the attachment. A riot of possibilities ran through her mind; was it a tantalising photo? Something Zelda had seen that reminded her of…

No.

Her face fell as a document opened.

Scanning the words, she read Zelda’s name and a list of sexually transmitted diseases listed below it. After each one was the word “Negative”. A wide grin took hold of Lilith’s features. Clicking out of the document, she typed.

“My, my. You’ve been a very good girl, haven’t you? I was expecting something rather different to be attached, although I’m happy to see this all the same.”

Z: “Hmm, I don’t know about ‘good’, but I’ve been careful. Oh, really? I’m afraid pictures aren’t my style. I had you pegged as more of a sapiophile.”

Lilith chuckled at the stern manner coming through that was so typical of this woman. This was the Zelda she had met the first night; articulate and classy, with a haughty air that kept Lilith’s attention. It hadn’t escaped Lilith’s notice that occasionally there was a wall between them, and it always showed in Zelda’s face despite how hard she tried to hide it. It was like her true nature was trying to push past it and she pretended to be stoic and serious. It made things all the more interesting when the wall came crashing down. Which it would because Lilith knew how good she was at this game.

L: “Did you now? Well, I do enjoy intelligence as much as the next girl, but there’s nothing wrong with a bit of aesthetic pleasure.”

Z: “Indeed there isn’t. However, I’ve never sent anyone a revealing picture of myself and the idea is a tad…risky.”

L: “Oh dear. That’s disappointing. It puts a huge dampener on my plans for tonight

Z: “Pray, explain?”

Biting her lip, Lilith typed as fast as her fingers would let her.

“Well, you strike me as the sort of person who likes games. I was hoping to indulge that side of you via text.”

Another glug of wine and she was sitting down with her legs folded beneath her and a blanket drawn around her shoulders for warmth. The phone dinged.

Z: “What kind of game?”

L: “I was thinking truth or dare, but with a twist. If one of us doesn’t want to answer something, that person removes an item of clothing.”

After hitting send, Lilith added another message; “As with everything, it’s only what you’re comfortable with.”

Z: “Would that not be better in person?

L: “Ideally, yes. But seeing as that’s not an option right now, we could send pictures of the garment we’ve removed. The person who takes off three items of clothing loses.”

A pause on both sides gave Lilith time to sip more wine. A nervousness pulsated through her. Watching the screen, she could see Zelda was typing something.

Z: “What would the winner get?”

A wide grin took over Lilith’s features. Setting her glass down, she typed as quickly as she could.

L: “To act out their favourite fantasy when you’re back in the city.”

Send. Zelda was online, but not typing. Lilith smiled smugly. She would have given quite a lot to see the woman’s facial expression at that moment. 

Z: “I need you to promise that you’ll delete them if I ask you to.”

L: “Of course. I promise. And likewise?”

Z: “Yes, you have my word.”

L: “That’s not all I’ll have by the end of this.”

Moving to the kitchen, she took out some chocolate and checked the screen.

Z: “Someone’s cocky!”

L: “Let’s just say I know what I’m capable of. Now, are we playing?”

Z: “We’ll see about that. Yes, you go first.”

L: “Truth or Dare?”

Z: “Truth”

L: “What are you wearing?”

Z: “A blue velvet pantsuit, a white shirt with a ruffled collar and black high-heeled ankle boots.”

L: “Are you kidding me?

Z: “No. Why?!”

L: “Miss Spellman, please tell me you know how to play this game?”

Z: “It’s Truth or Dare, of course I do! You asked what I’m wearing, and I told you.”

L: “I’m docking half a point because you’re didn't divulge what you're wearing under your clothes.”

Z: “Lilith! Fine. I’m wearing a champagne coloured bra and matching briefs.”

Chuckling to herself, Lilith typed: “I’m still docking half a point from you.”

Z: “What? Why?”

L: “Because you didn’t answer properly the first time. Girls who don’t obey the rules get punished.”

Z: “You’re insufferable, Miss Porter.”

Lilith’s fingers hovered above the keypad as she saw Zelda type something else.

Z: “What kind of punishment?”

A laugh fell from Lilith’s throat. So, despite how she tried to appear, Zelda did have a kinky streak.

L: “Hmm, that depends. You’re being obstinate, which I cannot abide. For you…I’d say a good spanking is in order.”

For a minute, Lilith was unsure if she’d gone too far when Zelda made no reply. Then the message flashed up on her screen.

Z: “How do you plan to do such a thing via text?”

L: “Dear Zelda. I never said the punishment would be happening now. I’ll just have to keep a record of all the delicious things I’ll do to you in person.”

Knowing how uptight Zelda could be; Lilith hoped her plan to make her loosen up was working. After a short pause, she read:

Z: “As you like…although…”

What followed was a picture that Lilith had to download. Waiting for the blur to lift, she squinted at the screen and the spinning circle in the centre of the image. Then it cleared. It was a picture of a riding crop with Zelda’s hand wrapped around it. A small sound of surprise formed in Lilith’s mouth.

L: “Well now. Be a good girl and let me see you strike yourself.”

Z: “You’ll have to work for that, I’m afraid. Your turn. Truth or dare?”

Scoffing in surprise at the woman’s sudden surge in confidence, Lilith decided to let her away with this one for the moment.

L: “Truth.”

Z: “What’s the worst thing you’ve done that no one else knows about?”

Cocking her head to one side, Lilith ran through the little black book of misdemeanours in her head. Sifting through the slightly shorter list of things that she intended to take to her grave, she picked the one she knew would get the best reaction.

L: “That’d have to be the time I kicked an ex out after some lacklustre sex. Halfway through, he made it clear he was only concerned with what he wanted and that wasn’t going to fly. I told him politely and he wouldn’t listen, so he got the boot.”

Z: “You kicked him out…literally?”

L: “Dragged is probably the correct term for it.”

Zelda was typing something and then stopping. Then typing and stopping. Lilith’s eyes bored into the screen waiting for the text to appear.

Z: “Did he hurt you?”

She had expected it to be longer from the amount of time it had taken, but realised Zelda might have been rethinking what she should say in response.

L: “No, I’m a big, tough girl.”

Lilith rolled her sleeve up and tilted the phone above her. She smiled as she flexed her arm and winked for the camera. Hitting send she took another sip of wine. She watched as the message delivered. Zelda was there, but not typing. Lilith quickly typed.

L: “Now you. Truth or dare?”

Z: “Dare…”

L: “Good girl, I was beginning to think you might chicken out on me.” Pausing, she hitched the blanket further around her as she thought of something mildly titillating. Finally, she chuckled with satisfaction and typed out, “Every time you text me, I want you to touch yourself.”

Z: “It’s interesting that you thought I wasn’t doing that already…but as you wish.”

Gasping in mock surprise, Lilith’s mouth formed a giant O as she texted back, “Such insolence! Just for that I want you to take off an item of clothing.”

Z: “What would you like to see me lose?”

L: “Your shirt…are you going to let me see it?”

Moments later, a short video popped up and Lilith pressed play quicker than she had pressed anything for a long time.

Zelda’s face was obscured from the lens, but the camera was clearly propped up against something, allowing her to use both hands to unbutton her shirt. She shimmied out of it, revealing the champagne coloured bra that almost meshed with her flawless alabaster skin. Lilith sighed heavily, biting her lip as she reached down between her thighs. Stroking herself softly, she replayed the clip and moaned to the empty room at the sight of the woman undressing. The idea that she was scantily clad and so far away was beyond frustrating, but Lilith steadied herself.

L: “Mm, good girl. You look delicious.”

Z: “Thank you. I do my best with what I was given. Truth or dare?”

L: “Truth.”

Z: “What is something that is absolutely off-limits in the bedroom?”

Lilith smiled to herself. It looked like their little chat about boundaries had resonated with Zelda. It was clear that the game made her feel like she could ask certain things that were otherwise awkward to phrase.

L: “Oooh, that’s a good one. While I’m happy to indulge in most things, I’d turn down anything related to salirophilia and public humiliation. You?”

Lilith had hoped this would make her feel more comfortable about testing each other’s limits and it appeared to be working.

Z: “Dear Lord. I had to Google the first one, but yes, I’d turn down both of those too. I’ve attended orgies in the past, it’s not an experience I’m vying to repeat. I’m willing to try things, but I suspect I’m less experienced than you.”

Lilith had gathered this much from how timid the woman appeared at times. She wanted to reassure her that there were no expectations.

L: “There’s nothing wrong with that. The beauty of talking about limits and what you’re comfortable with is that you can learn things about yourself.”

Z: “That’s good to know. And vice versa, the same applies. Your turn.”

L: “Truth or dare…”

Z: “Truth.”

L: “What’s your favourite place on your body to be kissed?”

Z: “My neck. Especially on the left side, just above my clavicle. It’s the most sensitive.”

L: “The most sensitive? Really?”

Z: “I don’t believe you’re allowed to ask follow up questions Miss Porter, so far I’ve let you away with two strikes on that count. I really think you should start removing clothes as a penalty.”

Lilith laughed loudly. “Is that so? Maybe I’ll have to investigate this when you’re back in town. If I find out you’ve been lying, I may just have to concoct a better punishment for you.”

With that, Lilith flung her panties onto the floor and took a picture of them.

“They were restricting me anyway.”

Z: “Don’t give me ideas…Truth or dare?”

L: “Dare…”

Z: “Well, I was going to say moan as loud as you can without laughing, but I think I’d rather save that for a face-to-face meeting. Hmm…text me the dirtiest thing you can think of.”

A million and one thoughts coursed through Lilith’s mind. The only difficulty the dare presented for her was too much choice.

L: “I want to see how gorgeous you’ll look when I’m in between your legs, teasing your clit with my tongue. I’d make you beg me to fuck you and I won’t until you say please fuck me, over and over again.”

Knowing that her kitchen provided the best acoustics, Lilith moved over to the counter and pressed the voice record function. Pushing herself against the counter roughly she groaned in surprise at how badly she needed the relief. Her eyes slammed shut, her back arching as she cried out as loudly as her lungs would let her. As soon as she hit send on the text, she sent the recording as well. It would take Zelda a few minutes (she hoped) to recover from both. Returning to her place on the couch, Lilith brought a glass of water to pace herself. Seeing that Zelda was already typing, she felt her pulse quicken.

Z: “Do go on….”

Smugly, Lilith typed, “What do we say?”

Z: “…please?”

L: “I’m glad that’s catching on. Tell me how you’d want me to fuck you?”

Z: “So hard that I have to bite the sheets to keep from screaming. I want you to bend me over a table and stroke me, nice and slowly. I want to feel you slip your fingers inside me.”

Instinctively, Lilith’s breath caught in her throat and her hips rocked over her fingers as she imagined the woman writhing for her. Calling her name. She couldn’t stop herself now, she was so close, so very close.

Z: “Do I have permission to come?”

L: “Aw, good girl for asking. You do not.”

An audio clip appeared and Lilith pressed play. “Please, Lilith…”

The sound of her voice caught Lilith by surprise. It was an arresting sound that pierced her skull. There was a need in it, something that sounded like vulnerability wrestling with strength.

L: “Come for me, Zelda…like the good girl I know you are.”

A moment later, a second audio clip popped up. It played and a few ragged breaths followed by a gorgeous whine sent Lilith over the edge. Panting and sending her fingers deeper inside herself, all she could focus on was imagining how slick and wet Zelda was for her. The scent of her. The taste of her. The need to know what all of this was like ripped through Lilith’s body as she felt herself ride the wave of a second orgasm in the space of a few minutes.

A picture of what could only be an orgasm rash streaked across the fair skin of Zelda’s chest popped up on Lilith’s screen. In her hands, she clasped the riding crop. Evidence that she had used it showed on the tops of her breasts. Her nipples were just out of shot, but it was revealing enough to make Lilith's mouth water. Her eyes dilated at the knowledge that she had caused it without even being in the same room. Another message from Zelda made the phone buzz in her hand.

Z: “You like it when I obey you, don’t you?

L: “A beautiful woman, miles away, doing what she’s told? Of course I do.”

A lull in Zelda’s typing occurred and Lilith watched the status bar for a minute until she saw a message appear suddenly.

Z: “You think I’m beautiful?”

Something in Lilith caused her to pull back physically from the phone. It was true, but she hadn’t meant to say it. Lost in the moment and the aftershock of two orgasms, she had forgotten herself for a second. There it was and it couldn’t be undone. Shaking her head, she started to type. “Yes, very. You know you are.” Awkwardly, she looked around her for some inclination as to what else she should say.

Z: “Thank you. You’re beautiful too.”

Gulping back a breath, Lilith watched her phone like it had a life of its own. It was her turn in the game, she knew. Unable to calm herself enough to proceed, she offered, “I’m still enjoying the visuals of that last one. Do you want to take another turn?”

Z: “I hope I’m not tiring you out? Yes, although...it seems like I may have discarded more than three items of clothing...does that mean the game is over.”  A sad face emoji appeared in a separate message.

L: “Hardly! Truth or dare?”

Z: “Truth.”

L: “If you were here right now, what would you want to do?”

She hit send and took a much-needed deep inhale. Part of her wanted Zelda to reply with something hot and another part of her wanted a different type of reply. She couldn’t place what it was exactly. Or she didn’t want to perhaps.

Glancing down, she saw Zelda wasn’t typing. Something inside her prompted Lilith to admit to herself that maybe she wanted the woman to say something more soothing, but she didn’t know how to ask for that. It was taking Zelda longer than Lilith expected to reply. Maybe it wouldn’t be that difficult to just…ask…but for what? She pushed the thought from her mind. Why was it taking so long for Zelda to write back? Finally, a reply appeared.

Z: “If you were comfortable with it, I’d want to hold you. And have you hold me. And just fall asleep…”

The idea struck her like a whip. She hadn’t expected Zelda to be that honest. It sounded honest anyway. It ended in ellipsis, which made Lilith wonder if there was more to it. A second message popped up.

Z: “What would you want?”

Food for thought. Lilith considered what she would most desire if Zelda was here with her. Her brain raced with ideas, but none of them were as satisfying as the one that she felt tugging at her mind’s eye.

L: “That sounds lovely. I’d want the same.”

For once, she didn’t know how to make the message sound sexy or smart. She didn’t want it to. It was the truth and it felt strange to share it with someone.

Z: "Tell me about this fantasy you have in mind..."

Staring at the screen, Lilith momentarily forgot what was happening. Then it dawned on her. Having only discarded one item of clothing, she had won. She got to choose what they did when Zelda was back in the city. Gathering her thoughts, Lilith pressed her fingertips to the keypad.

L: "Let me sleep on it. I need to make a few modifications now that I know so much more about you. You are a delight."

There was no typing. The silence hung between their screens and it was oddly comfortable. After a while, Zelda began typing.

Z: “I look forward to it. As much as I feel like I could talk to you all night, unfortunately I have to be up early for work. I really enjoyed this.”

L: “Me too. Always a pleasure to play with you, Miss Spellman. Goodnight.”

Z: “Goodnight, Miss Porter.”

Lilith sat staring into space for a while afterwards. Finishing her wine, she tidied away her art materials, put her dishes in the sink and went to bed. The images and sounds would be a wonderful bedtime companion in Zelda’s absence, she was sure. As she slipped under her sheets and listened to the white noise of the neighbourhood traffic outside, Lilith felt more alive than she had in years. It was like her nerves had been jolted awake after hibernation and every cell of her being was ten times more sensitive to everything that was happening around her. Sleep claimed her eventually and with it, dreams of a red head with skin the colour of cream and eyes like sparkling jewels. 

Chapter 8: VIII

Summary:

“A more appropriate time? Surely no one can hear you?” Zelda reasoned.

“Hm, no but I wouldn’t want to distract you from sightseeing. You do only have one free day there after all and it would be selfish of me to reduce you to a panting state in public when I’m not there to take care of you properly.”

Notes:

This is an extra long chapter that includes some of Lilith's backstory at the beginning. Goodies come after it :D

TW: Death of a family member (in a flashback scene, not gruesome or explicit, just sad)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Growing up in Wisconsin, Lilith Porter knew from a young age that she would not be staying long in it. There was nothing bad about the place per say, it was one of the most beautiful states and had incredible scenery as far as the eye could see. However, while her parents encouraged the young girl to appreciate her hometown, it was the summers she really looked forward to. That was when her father would drive Lilith and her mother to New York to visit the girl’s grandmother, Lilibeth Porter. Her name was Elizabeth, but the young Lilith had trouble pronouncing it and so the older woman adopted the sobriquet to keep her only grandchild happy.

The house that Grandmother Porter had lived in was on the corner between Lafayette and Bedford-Stuyvesant. The steps leading to it sprawled outwards, more so than the neighbouring buildings with their traditional straight lines. It reminded Lilith of the staircases she saw in old movies; the type that Fred and Ginger frequented when they had a story that needed telling. The neighbourhood had always been friendly and familiar, with the residents remembering the young raven-haired girl with striking blue eyes whenever she came to visit.

Grandmother Porter was the type of nana everyone wants, but those few who are lucky enough to have had someone like her in their life will never forget them. So it was for Lilith. When her parents struggled financially after Lilith was born, Grandmother Porter bought the child her first bed. The woman recognised the young girl’s artistic ability when she was but an infant and indulged this side of her every time she stayed over. Even now, the easel upon which her most recent work sat had been a Christmas present that her grandmother had lovingly scraped together the money to buy.

At the end of one summer, Lilith sat on the porch colouring in with wax crayons her grandmother had gifted her.

“Grandma Lilibeth?”

“Yes, my little love?”

“Do I have to go back home tomorrow?”

The older woman laughed merrily. “You do, I’m afraid. Your parents miss you very much and you will be wanted back in school soon.”

A frown coloured the young girl’s face. “I want to stay here with you,” she announced quietly, but firmly.

“Ah, Lilith. You think that now, but you have friends back home who will miss you. And your parents, what would they do?”

Shrugging her shoulders, Lilith regarded the question with that indifference we all have as children. “Do you not want me to stay with you?”

The woman looked over the rim of her spectacles at the child. “Now, Lilith, what on earth would make you say that? You know I love having you here, but Wisconsin is your home.”

“It’s so boring though. There’s always something to do here.”

Another chuckle from the woman, “I suppose by comparison it is, yes. But you have a lot of people who love you back home too.”

“Yes, but you’re here.”

The woman smiled. The child was in earnest in her affections and her feelings seemed to spill out from the depths of her icy blue eyes and over her red rimmed sockets.

“I’ll tell you what…let’s make a deal, alright?”

Sniffling, Lilith nodded slowly and unsurely.

“When you grow up, you can come to stay for longer if you like. And if you still want to live here then, we can talk about it again. How’s that?”

A happy smile fell over the child’s face. Grandmother Porter didn’t lie like other grownups. She always told the truth, even to little children and Lilith loved her for it. Of course, the woman didn’t go around telling her things that would frighten her, but she didn’t sugar-coat things when Lilith asked about them. The philosophy in this house was that children were important, and they should be seen and heard. Maybe it was this sense of security and unconditional love that drove Lilith back every year. Her parents loved her undoubtedly and she loved them, but this relationship was unique in the girl’s life because it was the first time she felt understood and truly seen.  

Years later, on her eighteenth birthday, Lilith’s wish was granted, and she came to New York to stay with her grandmother and attend art college. At the weekends, Lilith had worked in the Strand Bookstore in Union Square and even though her grandmother refused to take money for her keep, Lilith insisted on paying her share. She had loved those weekends in the bookshop, squirreling away book upon book that she wanted to buy to add to her treasure trove. At home her father hadn’t allowed Lilith to keep such a large collection as they were short on space. Grandmother Porter not only allowed it but insisted upon it. She read everything that Lilith brought home and they had discussions late into the night about art, music, poetry and anything that took their fancy. The scent of lemon verbena reminded Lilith of these evenings with her grandma. Lilith curled up on one end of the couch, her grandmother in her leather armchair with a warm, knitted blanket cast about her legs and the drowned-out sound of New York in the background.

On Lilith’s 21st birthday, she returned to her grandmother’s, eager to tell her some good news. Her tutors had noticed her aptitude and speed at completing paintings and had advised her to showcase her work at local events. One such event was coming up that weekend and there was a prize of $50,000 for the winner. Excitedly, she leapt up the steps of the brownstone building, engrossed in the rehearsed conversation she had constructed in her mind.

Ascending the steps to the apartment, she removed a folio she had drawn up of the work she could showcase, and she had trouble fitting the key in the lock with joy. Her grandmother opened the door from the other side and her furrowed brow instantly communicated that something was wrong. Instinctively, Lilith grasped her hand and the old woman gestured for her to go inside. A strange man in a suit stood tall in the room. He nodded at Lilith and Grandmother Porter introduced him as a lawyer for Lilith’s father. There, in the safety of the living room, her grandmother sat Lilith down and explained that her parents had been in an accident earlier that week. Neither had survived. As their only child, she was the heir to the family home in Wisconsin and the land attached to it. It meant Lilith would need to return home for some time. The shock caused her to fall silent, a state she would remain in for several days.

The old woman searched Lilith’s face with concern. There were no words that could ease the pain. Solemnly, Grandmother Porter told Lilith they would get through it together and that she should take some time to think about what she wanted to do.

Together they returned to Wisconsin for the funeral and afterwards decided that it would be best for Lilith to stay in Wisconsin and attempt to sell the rapidly decaying old house. Her grandmother assisted her with the paperwork before returning to New York. They spoke every day on the phone with Lilith growing frustrated at how difficult it was to find a buyer.

Eventually, the property was sold, but by that time, Lilith had met someone who was mad about her. Her grandmother noticed the change in her voice and enquired as to when she would be meeting this lucky person. Adam, as he was known, was eager to meet Grandmother Porter and even more keen to make Lilith his wife. He lavished affection on her at first and moved her into his house once her family home had been sold. When he did accompany Lilith to New York for a weekend, he came armed with gifts. Despite Lilith’s warnings that the old woman could not be bought, Adam paid no heed. Grandmother Porter was courteous and welcomed Adam warmly, but Lilith could read her like a book. There was something affectatious about Adam’s manner that was off-putting. Initially, Lilith had ignored it; in need of someone to talk to and spend time with she had made many allowances. She would continue to ignore the nagging urge to talk to her grandmother about this for years.

While she never married Adam, Lilith did live with him and kept house for him while he was out of the country working with Physicians without Borders. Landing a teaching job at a local school, she found herself relegated to a life she had never even thought about. However, Adam made promises to Lilith that he never intended to keep. Promises that pertained to them moving to New York in time, so that Lilith could resume her studies. Unhappy that she had sought a job when he felt that he made enough money to support them both, Adam began refusing her affections. Gradually, her artwork which Adam had once claimed to love started to go missing. There was no doubt in her mind that the canvases had been salvaged to the fire at Adam’s hands.

Over time, Lilith realised that Adam had no intention of moving to New York, or of marrying her. He was obsessed with his own work and the nature of it had given him a god complex. It is natural for people to grow and change as years pass, but Lilith noticed that Adam grew angry and secretive, whilst she shrank and felt depleted. Suspicions filled her mind that he was straying from their bed and when she confronted him, Lilith was met with a rage she hadn’t known him capable of. That night remained the most terrifying ordeal of her life. Her faith in Adam, and in most men, had been shattered beyond belief.

When she made another trip to see her grandmother, the cracks had begun to show. In a quiet moment, Grandmother Porter pulled her aside and gave her the look. The look is known worldwide, it transcends language barriers and cultural customs and every time it is dispensed it means the same thing. “You are not being true to yourself my dear,” the look said.

“Grandma, I don’t know what to do.” Lilith was now well into her 40’s and the pervading fear that she had missed her chance to make a life for herself was evident.

Her grandmother retorted with another look and Lilith’s eyes welled up with tears.

“Lilith, never settle for someone because you are lonely,” she cautioned. “You are so passionate, and you are a leader. I hope you never lose that. If he has hurt you, you must tell me.”

Deep down Lilith knew that she should, but her grandmother was elderly now and the last thing she needed was to have these issues unloaded on her.

Soon after she returned to Wisconsin, Lilith ended their relationship and made her way back to Brooklyn. Wandering around the city looking for places that were hiring, she spotted a sign in Agora Art Gallery where they needed a manager. From that day, Lilith began to get back on track and felt as though she was starting to make a life for herself. If her parents had lived to see her, she hoped they would have been proud. Their passing, though tragic, didn’t wholly strike her the way one might expect at the time.

The first time she truly felt the loss of a guardian was when her grandmother passed away in the local hospital after a lengthy illness that she had gone to great lengths to hide from her granddaughter. The reason for this mystified Lilith, but by the time she realised something was wrong it was too late. Medical intervention would prove futile at such an advanced stage and Lilith sensed that her grandmother had evaded assistance purposefully. The woman had always known when it was time to leave a party, something she ensured her granddaughter was well versed in also.

On her deathbed, her grandmother handed her a slip of paper that had been signed by an attorney only a month earlier. It was a copy of her will, stating that she had used the money Lilith had given her from the sale of her parent’s home to buy the building she lived in in Brooklyn outright. She had listed it in her granddaughter’s name, so that Lilith would have the income from tenants in the apartments below. Shocked, Lilith enquired as to how the woman had managed to do all this whilst being so ill but was shushed and told not to question her elders. Arching an eyebrow, she reluctantly agreed. She held her grandmother’s hand and the old woman ushered her closer. Leaning down, she heard her say:

“I want you to make me a promise. Keep working on your art, don’t ever let anyone stop you with their words. You are talented and you must keep working on your craft.”

“Yes, grandma.”

“One more thing…”

Clutching Lilith’s hand tightly, the woman smiled and cupped her face gently.

“I love you. You are precious and you are second to no one. Never settle for less than what you deserve. Promise me?”

“I promise, Grandma Lilibeth. Thank you for everything. I love you too.”

Tears sprang to her eyes as Lilith heard the death rattle rip through her grandmother’s chest. Just like that, she was gone.

Now, all these years later, as Lilith sat on the couch gingerly fingering the same china teapot they had shared so many memories over, she felt all at once a huge sadness that the sound of her grandmother’s laughter was resigned to memory. Her heart could never be too heavy at moments like this, for the knowledge that she had known what it was to be treasured and loved unconditionally was her backbone.  

It was Sunday afternoon and Lilith had spent the day reminiscing, something she rarely did. Thoughts of the future had got her thinking. Work was busier than ever, and she relished having more authority in the gallery. With her employer out of the state, she was free to take commissions for multiple pieces and had started a few already. The money she earned from her work went into her savings account. She wasn’t entirely sure what she wanted to do with the money, but it was always good to have something to rely on.

A thought had been tugging at her for the last few days and it made its way back to the forefront of her mind as she sipped her tea. Zelda had indicated she would be returning to the city three weeks from the last time they met. Today marked two weeks and two days since she’d left and not a word had been spoken about the details of her return. Well, apart from the test results that had suggested full sex was on the horizon. Ruminating on how to deliver her own results, Lilith picked up her phone and sighed. The last conversation they had was the night before, quite late as Lilith had to attend meetings outside of working hours and didn’t see Zelda’s messages until almost midnight. Flicking through the conversation, a hint of a smile appeared on her lips. They had flirted throughout, but they had discussed other things as they usually did. Zelda had been speaking at a conference in Salem about the history of the city and how the witch trials had affected the gentrification of the area. Lilith was fascinated by Salem and the trials and it pleased her to no end that Zelda had been able to enlighten her considerably on the historical side of things, especially the dangerous things that the city is less well known for. Lilith relayed that she had been to Salem once and that there was a cute witchcraft shop she had visited that was by appointment only. Zelda hadn’t visited before and mentioned that she would investigate it as she had a free day before returning to Boston. Today was that free day and Lilith decided to act on the thought that was niggling its way through her brain.

L: “Good afternoon. I do hope Salem is proving itself to be as picturesque as I remember it. See anything nice?”

It wasn’t long before her phone buzzed.

Z: “Well, hello. This is my current view.” A picture of the distinctive black townhouses enshrouded with cherry blossoms appeared on the screen. I suppose there are worse places to be of a Sunday. Are you having a nice afternoon?”

L: “Yes, very. Enjoying the Yuletide feel that’s in the air. I can’t believe it’s Monday again tomorrow. Speaking of which, is this the week you’re coming back to New York?

Biting her lip, Lilith sighed unhappily. Not wanting to be too eager, she hesitated before hitting send. She could see from the status bar that Zelda instantly started typing.

Z: “It is. I’m waiting for one of the tutors to confirm that they can cover a class for me this Wednesday so I can leave earlier than originally planned.”

Lilith’s eyes widened. Earlier than planned? She wanted to ask what was bringing Zelda back quicker, but something in her gut stopped her. Disappointed that Zelda hadn’t mentioned anything about them meeting, Lilith resisted the urge to ask. Perhaps the woman was too busy and wouldn’t be able to see her…

L: “Ah. Well, you’ll have more time to take in all the splendour of the city at its finest then.”

Or maybe Zelda didn’t want to see her.

A heaviness poured through Lilith’s chest and she dropped the phone on the table, leaning back onto the couch for support. Bending her knees, she swept her feet under herself and wrapped a blanket around her legs. The phone screen lit up and Lilith felt herself growing anxious. Picking it up she read:

Z: “I’m looking forward to seeing you in your splendour too. If you still want to, that is?”

Breathing a sigh of relief, Lilith smiled and then laughed at herself for being silly and making a big deal out of nothing.

L: “A girl can be tempted. What were you thinking?”

Z: “Hm, well I did so enjoy watching you eat, so perhaps dinner? And I need to call in with a cheque for the remainder of the second painting.”           

Yes, Lilith thought to herself. That second painting weighed on her. Unease was forming in the back of her mind that she was concealing her identity from Zelda. She had thought when they met that a brief fling would be all that was at stake, hence Zelda’s request to see her again had thrown a spanner in the works.

Yes, that was definitely the reason.

Not the fact that Lilith was sitting in her apartment on a Sunday wondering how Zelda was and what she would think of the piece Lilith was currently working on.

L: “Dinner sounds nice. Ah yes, the portrait. Have you got a space picked out for it?”

Z: “Yes, there’s an alcove in one of the bedrooms that would suit it marvellously. Even the colour palette is an ideal fit.”

Lilith chuckled to herself. Zelda’s home sounded palatial the few times she had alluded to it and her source of wealth was still a mystery. Lilith wondered if the house was truly as enormous as she believed, or had her imagination run away with her. Would she ever see it? Part of her wanted to. To see the house Zelda had grown up in as a way of figuring out more about her. She wouldn’t dream of saying this, but the interest was there.

L: “Sounds wonderful. I’ll make sure the painting is ready in its case on Wednesday.”

Z: “Thank you, Lilith.”

Rousing herself from the melancholy that was starting to creep in, Lilith got up from the couch. A walk would be good, to clear her head. Leaving the room to take a shower beforehand, the sound of her phone buzzing made her pause.

Turning back to get it she saw that Zelda was calling her.

A phone call?

It made her stomach fill with butterflies, but she answered it anyway.

“Hello?”

“Lilith, hello. How are you?”

There was something a little off about Zelda’s voice. Lilith couldn’t place whether she was nervous or unwell.

“I’m good, enjoying a lazy Sunday after a hectic week. How are you?”

A silence followed and Lilith took the phone away from her ear to check the line hadn’t gone dead. Zelda was still there. Replacing the phone to her ear, Lilith listened to what sounded like a mild sniffling sound on the other end.

“Are you alright?”

“Yes, perfectly fine,” Zelda replied, “the air is a little different in Salem, just some mild allergies.”

Lilith got the distinct impression this was a lie, but Zelda continued before she had time to probe further.

“I was wondering what evening would suit you best do you think. For dinner?”

Lilith cast her eye over the calendar on her wall.

“The end of the week would be better for me, Thursday or Friday perhaps.”

“I have a family engagement on Thursday night, so Friday then. Would you like to come to the house for dinner?”

Blinking rapidly in surprise, Lilith hesitated. It was like the woman read her mind.

“Um…yes, only if that suits you?”

“It does. My sister and her husband will be away for a few days and I can cook us something. Do you have any requests?”

Requests? God, she had plenty. Where to start?

“I assume we’re still talking about food?”

Zelda laughed in a smug and delighted way. “Yes, although if you have any other requests, I’d certainly like to hear them.”

“Are you in a busy part of Salem?”

“Moderately. It’s mostly tourists looking for gaudy relics to bring home with them.”

“In that case, I’ll just have to keep my requests to myself until a more appropriate time presents itself.” Lilith clicked her tongue against the roof of her mouth and the sound was audible through the phone. It sounded like faux disappointment.

“A more appropriate time? Surely no one can hear you?” Zelda reasoned.

“Hm, no but I wouldn’t want to distract you from sightseeing. You do only have one free day there after all and it would be selfish of me to reduce you to a panting state in public when I’m not there to take care of you properly.”

Merriment danced across Lilith’s eyes as she heard a sudden intake of shuddery breath through the phone.

“You’re far too sure of yourself-”

“Am I, or are you just aching for me to touch you and relieved I’m not there because you know I would do it discreetly with people around?”

Zelda moaned softly; it was clear she had moved her mouth away from the phone to catch her breath. Once she had managed to calm herself a bit, she spoke. “Have you thought more about this fantasy you mentioned the other night?”

Despite the shake in Zelda’s voice, Lilith could tell she had her and it wouldn’t take much now to send her over the edge. “I have.”

Lilith ran her tongue across her top lip. The atmosphere grew thick with tension as she could practically hear Zelda’s frustration through the phone.

“Lilith…”

“Oh, I do like hearing you say my name when you’re all worked up.”

“I am certainly not worked up!”

“Right,” Lilith laughed cheekily, “must be the air in Salem getting to you.”

“I can assure you; nothing is getting to me.”

Putting on her best seductive, throaty voice, Lilith purred, “Is that so? Not even the thought of me sliding into you, stroking you until you’re so wet you can’t stand it?”

The sound of Zelda’s breath growing ragged was gorgeous, but it made Lilith want to see her. She hadn’t felt desire like this before and it occurred to her that she was beyond aroused herself.

“Lilith, I can’t… not here.”

A low growl of annoyance emitted from Lilith as she relented.

“Alright. Are you sure you’re ok?”

“Yes, I’m fine. A little light-headed thanks to you.”

It was said playfully, though Lilith could tell Zelda wasn’t being honest about what was troubling her.

“I better get something to eat and sit down.”

“Yes, do that. Zelda…?”

“Yes?”

Lilith hovered by the phone unsure of how to phrase what she wanted to say.

“If something’s wrong, you can tell me.”

The anxiety that she may have overstepped a mark was playing on her mind, but something told her that wasn’t it.

“Honestly, it’s not you-I—I just…it’s been a busy week here too. I’m fine honestly, Lilith. I’ll see you on Friday?”

“See you then.”

The call ended and Lilith looked out the window of the apartment. Was it her? Had she gone too far? Or was Zelda just flustered from work? If it was the latter, she could certainly help with that if Zelda would let her. Deciding it was best not to dwell on it, she grabbed her coat and went for a walk in the late December air.

Manhattan was both splendid and furious at this time of year. The hordes of people rushing to spend their money on gifts was a sight to behold. Lilith observed people from her place on the sidewalk, noting how eager they were to be seen parting with extortionate amounts of cash. It didn’t necessarily mean what they bought was all that special or thoughtful.

Passing the Cartier window that was her favourite, her eyes searched the gems on display. They were all beautiful in their own way, but one stood out in particular. A ring with a small red diamond in the centre. Red diamonds are the rarest on earth and red was her favourite colour. Often when she passed the window, she debated splurging on it to treat herself. While she believed in being good to herself, $90,000 was not a justifiable price even for the rarest of the rare. Still, she admired it from behind the glass, her ice blue eyes sparkling in its reflection.

Monday came and the beginning of the week marched by, with Lilith preoccupied at work. Before she knew it, it was Wednesday, and she hadn’t heard from Zelda since Sunday.

“Um, excuse me?”

Lilith looked up at the striking brunette who was politely seeking her attention.

“Yes, how may I help you?”

“I’m interested in this painting. How much is it?”

“That one is $10,000. It was a commission, but sadly the patron passed away before it was completed. It was his last wish that the artist sells it to a favourable buyer.”

The woman lowered her eyelashes before glancing up at Lilith with a doe-eyed stare.

“Am I favourable, do you think?”

Clearing her throat, Lilith returned the woman’s gaze. True, she was very pretty. Her hair was dark and carefully weaved into an artistic looking plaited bun that sat high on her head. Her eyes were dark too; alluring with warmth and a hint of cherry ran through them at certain angles. The woman wore a short, black netted face veil, reminiscent of a 1940’s war bride. In fact, everything about her reminded Lilith of a different era. Ordinarily, Lilith would have taken great pleasure in playing the game with this woman. On the surface, she was elegant and refined with an excellent sense of taste and style. While she was attractive, Lilith remained unmoved by her advances.

“Well, the painting is for sale to a reputable buyer. If you have a history of collecting art, we would be interested to hear about it. If this was to be your first purchase of a fine piece, we are happy to answer any questions you may have. We require a 50% deposit and once that has cleared, we can certainly accommodate you should you still wish to take it. Of course, all sales are final.”

The smile Lilith offered was in keeping with her manner; assertive and no-nonsense. Much to her chagrin, it seemed to spur the woman on.

“It is very lovely. I have a house in the Hamptons, and it would be perfect in my boudoir.”

Nodding, Lilith correctly sensed there was more. The woman moved closer to the painting and reaching up, made what looked like a vogue pose with her hands in front of it.

“The walls of the room are painted peach and mauve and I just don’t know if it would work with those colours,” she added with a false laugh.

Lilith felt distinctly like she was being goaded into remarking on the woman’s choice of colour for her bedroom. Sighing silently, she longed to be far from here. When she made no comment, the woman turned to face her.

“What do you think?”

Masking her lack of interest (and disgust at the idea that anyone would paint their walls peach and mauve), Lilith made to answer when she saw a shadow fall on the pavement outside. Craning her neck to see who was walking down the steps, her eyes widened. It couldn’t be, it was too soon. So why was her heart thumping in her chest? The woman was asking her something, but Lilith couldn’t focus on that now. The door opened just as Lilith turned back towards the now blabbering woman. To steady herself, she came out with the first thing that crossed her mind.

“It sounds perfect for your home. The colours are so vibrant, they’ll surely mesh well with a muted palette like the one you’re describing.”

With her arms crossed, Lilith could feel her pulse palpitating in her wrist as it pressed against her side. What was she doing here so early? There had been no warning. Feeling the woman’s growing irritation, Lilith tried her best to listen to what she was asking and not be so distracted by the presence behind her.

“You don’t think it’ll clash?”

Oh, what the fuck am I? An interior designer? Lilith thought to herself. “Well, that’s difficult to say without seeing the room. Do you have a picture of the walls?”

As if on cue, the woman produced her phone with a sly smile. Unnerved by the blatant flirtatious manner, Lilith didn’t dare to look around. Part of her wanted to know what would happen. The woman was sifting through an array of pictures on her phone. The tension was almost unbearable as Lilith could feel a pair of grey-blue eyes boring into her. Unable to keep her eyes lowered, she mustered everything in her to appear as calm as possible and glanced up.

Zelda stood looking at her, her eyes twinkling under the lights. For a moment, Lilith wasn’t sure if she should excuse herself from the woman who was babbling about having very few pictures of her boudoir where the light was good. When she saw that Lilith was distracted, the woman turned to give Zelda immense side eye. The look on Zelda’s face was one of uncertainty also with a hint of something that Lilith couldn’t place.

“Here’s one!” The woman announced loudly, startling Lilith and her attention back to the phone. “As you can see here, the colours are vibrant, but muted at the same time…” The woman moved to block Zelda’s view and Lilith’s expression shifted at the rude gesture. An anger from deep within rose and she said firmly, “It’s nice, I’m sure it would suit the painting well. If you’ll excuse me, I need to attend to this lady.” The woman’s face dropped as Lilith sashayed away from her.

Zelda swayed slightly, like she had been hit. Pointing to the far window, Lilith raised her eyebrows at her, and they walked away from the woman. The winter sun shone in, falling across the first few inches of the floor and catching the crystals in the chandelier above them. Glints of coloured light dappled the walls as Lilith moved to stand by the window. Turning to face Zelda she waited for her to speak.

“I hope I’m not interrupting?”

“No, not at all. I take it you got someone to cover your classes?” Lilith ignored the implication that the woman on the other side of the gallery was somehow of interest. Watching Zelda’s face in the light, she could have sworn she saw a hint of jealousy.

“Yes, although it was very last minute.” Zelda looked tired and her eyes bore signs of weariness, although she had clearly gone to some effort to conceal this. Lilith pushed away the hope that she had made such effort on her behalf.

Nodding, Lilith waited to see what was coming. Zelda wanted to say something, she could see it and a nervousness began to crawl across her. Was she waiting for the other woman to leave? Zelda looked over her shoulder to where the other woman was still standing, casting glances in Lilith’s direction. Seeing that she wasn’t budging, Zelda reluctantly continued.

“Here’s the cheque for the balance on the second painting,” she handed over an unsealed plain white envelope. Lilith swallowed as she took it, the weight of her secrecy heavy on her mind. “I know we made plans for Friday, but I was wondering if-” Zelda was cut off by the woman on the far side of the gallery.

“Excuse me?”

Lilith wanted to wring the other woman’s neck. “Give me a moment,” she whispered to Zelda. Swerving towards the other woman with great reluctance, she stifled her anger.

“Yes?”

“On second thoughts I’m not sure this would be such a good fit. Perhaps I’ll try another time. It was very nice meeting you, thank you for your help.”

Acquiescing, Lilith smiled. “My pleasure. Take care.”

Slowly, the woman walked to the door, eying Zelda as she went. Zelda met her stare with coldness before turning her gaze on Lilith again. Once the woman had left, Lilith looked to Zelda with concern.

“I was wondering if you might be free this evening for coffee?” Zelda finished.

“This evening? I suppose, I can make time for coffee,” she considered Zelda for a moment before adding, “I’m closing now, can you wait?”

“Yes, of course.”

“Did you want to take the painting now?”

Zelda looked at her in surprise. “Oh yes,” she laughed nervously, “I suppose I better take it now.”

“I can hold it here for you if you prefer,” Lilith offered as she filed the cheque in the safe.

“Actually, it makes more sense to take it now. I can leave it at the house while we go out.”

Lilith nodded, “As you wish.” Retrieving the painting from the safe, she handed it over. The stress on Zelda’s face was unnerving and Lilith wanted to enquire without prying too much. Switching off the remaining lights, Lilith turned to ensure everything was done. Checking off her mental to-do list she saw Zelda break into a smile out of the corner of her eye.

“What?”

“Nothing, it’s just nice-uh, amusing to see you be so efficient checking things off in your head. Not something you see a lot of these days…” Zelda trailed off, looking around her as if the end of her sentence could be found somewhere in space.

“Are you…alright to carry that?” Lilith gestured to the painting in its box whilst looking highly entertained by Zelda not being her usual fully focused self.

“Yes, perfectly fine thank you. Are you ready?”

They made their way along the streets, carrying the painting between them and discussing how the traffic was. Eventually, they arrived in an area Lilith had never seen before. Two wonderful apple blossom trees stood at the entrance to a large home. The trees were several feet apart, but their branches reached out towards each other while their barks leaned away in the opposite direction. A myriad of white blossom petals lay strewn across the ground and Lilith admired how serene Zelda looked standing in between them. Her auburn hair, glossy in the winter sun, bounced and bobbed as she carried the painting up two steps.

Oh, Lilith thought. This is the house. Staggered by the size of it, she stared on in shock.

“Lilith? What’s wrong?”

Shaking her head, she walked up the steps and helped Zelda hoist the painting up to the door. Fumbling for her keys, Zelda took out the oldest looking tools Lilith had ever seen.

“Those are your keys? They look like something from Rapunzel.”

Pursing her lips in displeasure, Zelda hummed, “Unfortunately, yes. They’re as rickety as they look. Can you hold the painting while I try to jimmy this open please?”

Clutching the carrying case, Lilith watch Zelda turn the elaborate key in the lock and when the latch lifted, she vigorously heaved her shoulder against it. It sounded painful and if the grunt that Zelda made was any indication, it was. Lilith leaned the case against the wall and pressed her weight against the door. After the third attempt, they wrenched it open and Zelda gasped as she was thrown a few feet into the hallway. Lilith lifted the case in and Zelda pointed to a space beside the door.

“Anywhere there is fine.”

Once she set it down, Lilith stepped back outside the front door and slipped her hands into her pockets. Examining her face in the small oval mirror that hung in the hall, Zelda fixed her hair and lipstick. She looked out at Lilith and smiled for the first time since she had arrived.

“I’d invite you in, but the place is a mess” laughter tinkled from her throat as she stepped out and closed the door behind them.

“Yeah,” Lilith said sarcastically, “it looks like a real dive.”

Zelda gave her an unimpressed stare before sauntering down the steps as they made their way out into a quieter part of the city.

Zelda mentioned that there was a pretty little park nearby, so they got takeaway coffees in an artisan bakery around the corner and ambled towards the greener space.

“Is this park private?” Lilith asked as they walked amongst towering ash trees and silver maple.

“No, there’s a private one not far from here, but I don’t have the key. This is the next best thing and it’s prettier.”

As they strolled, Lilith felt the tension lift and she wondered if she had been overly paranoid. It was clear Zelda was enjoying talking to her and hearing about how work was going. Lilith relayed that her employer had relinquished more of his powers to her and that she had great plans for the gallery over the coming months.

“That’s excellent news. I take it you’ll be hosting events for artists in the area?”

Surprised that Zelda had seemingly guessed this, Lilith looked at her. “Yes, as a matter of fact. How did you know?”

A shyness came over Zelda. She tucked her chin in slightly, her hair falling forward like a curtain for her to hide behind.  

“I read about the gallery in a, um…it must have been online. I can’t remember now.”

They walked on and under her breath Lilith hissed, “Stalker!”

Zelda shot her a look and then laughed. “For your information, it was a general review on art galleries in the city-”

“Mmhmm,” Lilith interjected, “I think I would know about such a review given that I do all the publicity for the gallery, don’t you think?”

Zelda flushed a deep shade of red as she attempted to come up with a retort. Finding none, she scoffed.

“Hmm, that’s still my favourite,” Lilith said.

“Favourite what?”

“Colour. Depending on what’s triggering it, you turn a variety of shades of red. That’s my favourite shade on you. Apart from your hair that is.”

Zelda stopped walking, her eyes on Lilith. Leaning forward, she kissed her softly. Lilith’s tongue peeked out to lap at Zelda’s, and she returned the move with equal fervour. It was gentle and needy and everything Lilith wanted in that moment. Just as slowly as she’d applied her lips to Lilith’s, Zelda broke away.

“Do you want to sit down?”

They perched themselves on a bench to the side, sequestered under a huge weeping willow. Setting her coffee cup on the ground beside her, Zelda swept her hair back off her shoulders. The same strained look had returned to her features and Lilith wanted desperately to ask what was wrong. After a moment, Zelda broke the silence.

“I hope I didn’t make things difficult for you by calling in like that today. I should have given you notice at least.”

“You’re a patron, Zelda. As a business, we tend to welcome patrons,” Lilith replied. “Why would your being there have made it difficult for me?”

“Well, you were dealing with someone. It seemed like a…delicate time to interrupt.”

Quirking an eyebrow, Lilith smiled. “I deal with all sorts of people every day. It’s not like you barged in demanding my attention.”

Nodding, Zelda looked down. She was preoccupied with something and the tension was growing thick again.

“If you don’t mind my saying so,” Lilith said, “you seem…upset. If I’ve done something or taken anything too far, I hope you’ll tell me.”

The relief of saying it seemed to lighten the sensation in her chest. Zelda shook her head.

“No, you didn’t do anything,” her eyes fell upon Lilith as she spoke, “I swear it, I would tell you.”

“Alright. Well, I don’t want to pry, but if you want to talk about anything… I’m here.”

Zelda blinked, trying to mask tears that Lilith could see were already crowding her eyes. Turning her face away, she dabbed at her eyes and Lilith grew more uneasy.

“Forgive me, I’m being stupid. It’s nothing really.”

Reaching into her handbag, Lilith took out a clean handkerchief and pressed it to Zelda’s cheek lightly. Zelda’s eyes closed as the tears spilled. Taking the handkerchief, she murmured her thanks. Using the corner of the bright, white linen cloth, she patted the edges of her eyes dry. The black lace monogram stared up at her as she dabbed. It was in the shape of a long, elegant letter “L”.

“These are beautiful, Lilith. Did you have them made specially?”

“My grandmother made them for me when I was a little girl,” she smiled fondly. Zelda was watching her and the way her face lit up did not go unnoticed by the redhead.

“Really? Were you close to her?”

“Oh yes, we were inseparable. I lived with her for a long time. She taught me how to sew and embroider.”

Zelda turned towards her, listening attentively. “Where did you live with her?”

“The apartment in Brooklyn. It’s mine now. Full of happy memories.”

“It must be nice to live in a place you spent so much time with her in. Our house, back there, has been in the family for years. I’m not particularly fond of it.”

“Oh? Any reason why?”

“It’s too big for starters. My parents inherited it from their parents, and they all had several siblings on both sides who lived in it at one time. Myself and my sister are the only two left in my immediate family and even when we were growing up, it was so large and easy to get lost in. It’s also not full of happy memories, I’m afraid. My brother died in it very suddenly when he was a young man.”

Intrigued, Lilith watched as the stress ebbed away from Zelda’s features. She looked less tired now than she had an hour ago.

“I’m sorry to hear that.”

“Edward was impetuous, he was a medical professor at a university here and couldn’t be told when he should slow down. He worked himself to death, even if the doctors claimed it was a heart attack. There was nothing he wouldn’t do for his students and his profession, but the pressure was too much. It worked him up into such a stupor that he dropped dead one day in his room.”

The colour was coming back to Zelda’s face, flowing from her annoyance at her late brother for not adhering to advice that she was also refusing. The irony would have amused Lilith greatly had she not felt such concern for Zelda.

“Hmm, it’s a pity he didn’t talk to someone. It might have eased the pressure,” she said quietly.

Their eyes met and Zelda’s lips parted. Her pupils dilated right in front of Lilith’s gaze. Reaching up to stroke Zelda’s cheek, Lilith moved towards her. Zelda inched in, her eyes closing and let Lilith her sink her lips against her cheek and then down to her mouth. There was no one around to see them. The evening sun was setting, and the melodious rapture of birdsong echoed around them. Zelda tasted sweet, warm and soft, like melted honey on Lilith’s tongue.

Lilith thrust her tongue deeper into Zelda’s mouth, feeling the woman’s tongue reciprocate and her hand come up to cradle the back of Lilith’s head. Suddenly, Zelda pushed right into Lilith, her arms wrapping around the brunette’s waist with an urgency that felt an awful lot like she had missed her and was telling her with her tongue. Basking in the taste and the silky richness of Zelda’s mouth, Lilith’s imagination ran riot with all the things she wanted to do to her. The kiss was slow, almost languorous as if they were making up for the lack of kisses over the last two and a half weeks. Lilith craned her head to the outer side and pressed her lips into the crook of Zelda’s neck. Her tongue delved across the flesh, making Zelda quiver.

“Can I touch you?” Lilith whispered into her ear.

“I thought you’d never ask,” Zelda nodded, her arm reaching further around Lilith’s waist to secure a grip. Tracing her fingertips up Zelda’s leg and under her knee length skirt, Lilith stroked her cheek with the other hand, still planting kisses along the most sensitive part of her neck. Working her way up Zelda’s inner thigh, Lilith’s teeth grazed her earlobe, her tongue working against the pressure she was creating. A shiver of anticipation ran through Zelda as she felt Lilith’s nails drag against her soft skin until she was touching her underwear. She moaned, her breath catching in her chest as Lilith stroked over the material. A generous lap of her tongue against Zelda’s neck was given in response to how drenched she was through her underwear. God, she was absolutely soaked. Teasingly, Lilith glided her fingertips over the top of the material and then her fingers were sliding over Zelda’s sex. Groaning at how good it felt, Zelda stifled a cry by burying her face in Lilith’s hair. Her body was shaking, and Lilith stopped kissing her to soothe her with whispers.

“It’s alright, no one can see or hear you. It’s just you and me.”

At that, Zelda spasmed, her eyes slammed shut as she tried to push against Lilith’s fingers, but Lilith was teasing her mercilessly, stroking her drenched labia torturously slowly and humming against the shell of her ear.

“Tell me what you want, Zelda.”

Shuddering, Zelda tugged at Lilith’s waist, gathering her in closer.

“Fuck me…”

“Say please.”

She felt Zelda grit her teeth, but as her fingertips continued to torment her slick folds with hints of pleasure, a deluge of wetness sprang forth that indicated Zelda was so in need of relief it wasn’t fair to deprive her.

“Lilith… please,” she whined.

Lilith swept Zelda’s hair back so she could see her face. The woman was unable to keep her desire from showing on her face and it made Lilith ache to see her in such a primal state. Humming softly, Lilith whispered, “I want you to look at me,” and Zelda obeyed immediately. Lilith watched her as she sank her fingertips inside her, her lush folds putting up no resistance. Lilith’s eyelids fluttered shut, Zelda felt better than she could have imagined. Like some divine creation.

Opening her eyes again she couldn’t take her sight off Zelda, who rocked in ecstasy, her muscles clenching as she whimpered and came with a loud gasp over Lilith’s hand. Zelda crumbled against her, bowing her head over Lilith’s shoulder. Her chest shuddered and Lilith heard the same sniffle she’d heard on the phone the previous weekend. With her free hand, Lilith held her tightly, feeling her grind against her, luxuriating in the aftermath. Leaning in, Lilith dragged her lips over Zelda’s collarbone. She could feel Zelda’s hands clutching her like she was afraid one of them would fall if she let go.

Carefully, Lilith slid her fingers out and brought them to her lips. She couldn’t help herself, the woman smelled incredible and if her taste was anything like her mouth…without a second thought, Lilith dipped her fingers into her mouth, her lips firmly pressing against the base and she sucked the length of both her fingers. Zelda lifted her head and saw Lilith bearing a look of absolute indulgence.

Making eye contact with her, Lilith saw the ravenous look that filled Zelda’s eyes.

“Taste yourself.”

Gently she pressed her fingers to Zelda’s lips and watched the woman wantonly consume her own desire. When Zelda had cleaned her essence off Lilith’s fingers, she leaned in and kissed her again. The air was cool against both of their skins, but the heat between them was enough to keep them huddled close. They sat for a long time, a comfortable silence hanging in the air. It was growing dark and Lilith wanted to stay, but she also didn’t fancy the prospects of walking back to Brooklyn when it was too dark. Zelda’s head was propped against her shoulder with their arms still wrapped about one another loosely.

“How do you feel?” Lilith asked.

Zelda stirred, lifting her head. “I’m ok, tired,” she admitted.

Lilith hummed in agreement. “I’ll walk you back to your house. I have to head then, I’m up early for work.”

Zelda nodded and they took their empty coffee cups, discarding them in a bin as they walked back.

As they approached Zelda’s, she looked at her watch.

“It’s 7.30. Would you like to stay and have dinner?”

“I should really head back; I don’t like walking in the dark and it’s a while away from the train station.”

Zelda looked angelic against the inky sky. Stepping forward, she laid a kiss on Lilith’s lips. She was intoxicating and not just physically. There was something about Zelda that made Lilith want to be around her. Parting from the kiss, Zelda looked into Lilith’s glacier-like eyes.

“You’re very welcome to stay over. I can drive you to yours in the morning if that’s easier.”

A smirk played on Lilith’s lips.

“I promise I won’t keep you up too late.” Zelda grinned.

“Oh really?” Lilith countered, “You promise to be on your best behaviour?”

“I promise.”

Sighing, Lilith said, “Well, then I better go home.”

“I’ll be on my best behaviour if you stay. I’ll do whatever you…ask.”

Lilith turned towards her, a huge grin adorning her features. “Whatever I ask? Hmm, that’s dangerously tempting.”

Locking eyes with her, Zelda bit her lip. “Well, I have to repay you somehow.”

The mirth in Lilith’s face evaporated.

“Repay me? I didn’t do it to be repaid. I did it because I wanted to.” There was a slight anger to her tone. She had felt something shift in the park and she knew Zelda had felt it too. To have her refer to it as though it was a transaction touched on a nerve she hadn’t known was frayed.

Flushing with mortification, Zelda shook her head, “That’s…that’s not what I meant. It was a poor choice of words. I meant…”

“I know what you meant. I’m sorry, I overreacted.” Lilith cut in.

Zelda cocked her head as she studied Lilith in the evening light. “Are you angry with me?”

“No,” Lilith replied. “I’m overtired I think.”

“Come inside, I can make us something to eat.”

Inside the house was nothing like Lilith had imagined. Parts of it were grand, but what Zelda had said was true. There was something unhappy about it. It was obvious that she didn’t feel entirely at ease within the walls, but at the same time she was comfortable enough in the creature comforts that were spread-eagled around the place. Bringing Lilith into the sizeable kitchen area, she invited her to take a seat.

“We usually have all the basics. What would you like to eat?”

“I’m easy, whatever you’re having is fine with me. Would you like some help?”

“Not at all, make yourself comfortable.”

Zelda set about whipping up some spaghetti carbonara and discovered a bottle of red wine that was more than fitting for their purposes. Impressed with her culinary skills, Lilith devoured it offering up her compliments. Once they had dined, Zelda placed the dishes in the dishwasher and took Lilith on a tour of the house.

Entering the grandest room she had seen so far, Lilith ogled the massive ladder that allowed users to access three floors of books.

“This was my father’s library. It was mostly books on politics and economics, but I’ve added my own touches to it throughout the years.”

Lilith ran her fingers along the spines of several ancient looking tomes that decorated the shelves.

“It’s wonderful. Reminds me of the first bookshop I worked in.”

“Oh, which one?”

“Strand on Union Square.”

Zelda looked at her in astonishment. “Really? When did you work there?”

“A long time ago now, when I was an art student.”

“You’re an artist?”

Lilith stopped in her tracks, her blood pumping in her ears. “Yes, well I dabble.”

“What kind of art do you make?”

“Drawings, paintings, papier mache, but mostly I work with watercolours and charcoal.”

Her mind worked furiously to come up with something that she could change the subject to, but nothing was surfacing.

“I’d love to see your work some time, if you don’t mind showing it

Licking her lips anxiously, Lilith nodded and smiled, but said nothing.

“Would you like some tea?” Zelda inclined her head towards a floral china teapot that looked like it had seen better days.

“Tea would be lovely, thank you.”

There was a large, very soft settee in the middle of the room and Zelda took a seat on it, inviting Lilith to join her. It was sumptuous and an unusual orange colour.

“Your home is lovely. I see what you mean about the size of it, but it’s charming.” Lilith cradled her teacup, the heat warming her cold hands.

Zelda sipped her tea. “Thank you, although I must say my sister is owed all the credit. I’m rarely ever here to take care of the place. Of course, that’s all changing now.”

“What do you mean?”

Zelda’s eyes were focused on the steaming hot liquid in her cup. “I’m being transferred to a different university in the new year. I’m not sure when exactly, but it’s happening sometime soon.”

Lilith watched her with curiosity. “Which university?”

Still with her eyes lowered, Zelda blew on the hot steam from her cup. “NYU.”

The atmosphere was rife with tension and uncertainty. Lilith stared at her in surprise.

“So, you’re moving back to New York then?”

“It would seem so. Ideally, I would like to sell the house and get a smaller place, but my sister insists that we hang onto it for sentimentality’s sake.” Zelda rolled her eyes, but Lilith saw her flicker a glance in her direction to read her reaction.

“Are you happy to come back?” she asked.

“Yes and no. It’s home, but it’s also…home. And Boston is wonderful, as you know. I’ll miss Massachusetts, but I can always visit.”

Silence fell again. Lilith could feel herself growing tired and she struggled to stifle a yawn. Seeing it, Zelda smiled and set their cups aside.

“I think it’s bedtime,” she extended her hand to Lilith and led her upstairs.

Although she was weary, a renewed excitement ran through Lilith at Zelda’s touch. The bedroom was more gothic in appearance than Lilith expected, but it was undoubtedly belonging to Zelda. The four-poster bed sheathed in dark purple voile reminded her of the restaurant Zelda had taken her to.

“Hmm, this is gorgeous,” she sighed happily, brushing against the fabric.

Zelda appeared beside her and laid out a nightdress and kimono on the bed. “Will this suffice do you think? I don’t wear pyjamas, but my sister might have some if you’d prefer-”

She was stopped mid-sentence by Lilith’s lips caressing hers. Drawing Zelda in close, Lilith kissed her, letting her tongue enmesh with hers again. Zelda sighed audibly into her mouth, enveloping Lilith in her arms. Lilith reached up to stroke her jaw and she broke away for a minute. “Zelda, I’m sorry about earlier, I wasn’t sure if I was getting mixed signals from you and I…I overreacted.”

Zelda gazed at her in mild confusion. “Mixed signals…when?”

“On the phone at the weekend, I thought I crossed a boundary and that you weren’t comfortable telling me…”

“Oh,” Zelda’s face creased in realisation. “No, not at all. To be honest, it’s I who should apologise. I-I was in Salem for more than just a conference, it was… very stressful. Let me assure you, I enjoyed what you were doing…I always enjoy what you do to me…I had just left a very upsetting meeting and I couldn’t handle how I felt in the moment.”

Lilith knew she had no real right to ask what the woman was doing in Salem, but it clawed at her because she wanted to help. The frustration showed on her face. Zelda brushed her hand against her cheek.

“What is it?”

“Nothing…I can’t…” Lilith pushed the feeling down.

“Lilith…whatever it is, just tell me.”

Inhaling sharply, Lilith’s lips parted. “I was…concerned when you called. You sounded very distressed and I didn’t know if I should ask what was going on… or why you were really in Salem?”

The same strained look returned to Zelda’s face and Lilith was sorry she had asked. Zelda sighed heavily.

“Do you mind if we talk about it another time? It’s getting late and it’s probably best if we have more time.”

Lilith furrowed her brow, but weariness threatened to overtake her, and she felt it was fruitless to press Zelda on the topic now. Agreeing, she let Zelda take her by the hand and lead her to the bathroom. There, Zelda switched on a marvellously huge shower that was big enough to fit two people very comfortably. Turning, she stroked Lilith’s arms, drawing her closer and unzipping the back of her skirt. Stepping out of it, Lilith tugged Zelda’s sweater up and over her head. Zelda undid Lilith’s blouse, working the buttons smoothly and then leaned towards her chest and began placing soft kisses down Lilith’s torso until she reached her stockings. She rolled the pretty lace rims down Lilith’s thighs, all the while kissing the sensitive flesh as it was exposed. Lilith stroked her hair as she did so. It felt incredibly intimate. Her stockings pooled at her ankles and she stepped out of them and her shoes. She saw Zelda hang back from removing her underwear and sensed the uncertainty. Looking up at her, Zelda grasped her hips and encouraged her forward. Lilith moved Zelda’s fingers to the top of the material and pressed her hands against it. Unrolling them, Zelda closed her eyes. She looked reverential, as though Lilith was a goddess from some previous time who had come to bestow her presence upon her most devout follower. Smiling at how sublime Zelda looked, Lilith guided her back to standing and undressed her from her remaining garments before stepping into the hot, steaming water together.

They took turns lathering and rinsing each other, interspersed with kisses. Once they were finished, Zelda turned the water off and led Lilith back to the adjoining bedroom. There, they dressed in the nightwear she had laid out and slipped beneath the covers.

Lilith could sense that Zelda had been seeking an opportunity to please her since they returned from the park, but they both needed their rest. Lifting her head from the pillow, she kissed Zelda and whispered, “Sleep now.”

Reluctantly, Zelda agreed, but not before she clasped Lilith to her for another caress.

“Thank you for spending this evening with me,” she whispered back.

Lilith smiled, making no reply. Sleep had already claimed Zelda anyway. 

Notes:

Quite nervous of posting this one, I hope you all enjoy it :)

Chapter 9: IX

Summary:

L: “How should I dress?”
Z: “Don’t…”
L: “I believe one can get arrested for that sort of thing.”
Z: “That’s what trench coats are for. And you do look so delicious in that black dominatrix style leather one.”

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

During the night, Lilith awoke and for a moment was unsure of where she was. Her eyes sleepily roved around the darkened room as her mind ran back through the previous evening. The light sensation of breath against her forearm drew her attention to Zelda sleeping soundly next to her. Ah, she was in the woman’s bed. Slowly, Lilith turned onto her side facing Zelda’s resting form. Across the pillow, strands of auburn locks lay unfurled from their carefully set curls. After a few minutes, her eyes adjusted to the light and she saw Zelda’s eyelashes set against her porcelain skin. In slumber she resembled some celestial being, from her faint eyebrows, her slightly Roman shaped nose down to her seraphic lips and dainty chin. She was utterly lovely to behold. There was something vulnerable about her that made Lilith want to hold her. Or maybe that was what she told herself to cover the need she had to be held herself.

Listening to the soft breathing next to her, Lilith was unable to close her eyes. As if sensing that she was awake, Zelda’s eyelids fluttered open.

“Can you not sleep?” she asked drowsily.

“I just woke up,” Lilith smiled, “I’m a little cold.”

A smile played on Zelda’s lips. “Mm…Can I help with that?”

“Please…”

The word seemed to ignite a spark. Zelda’s eyes lit up and she looked fully awake at the sound. The sound of Lilith begging. Zelda’s hand was outstretched and in the dim light of the night, she found the curve of Lilith’s waist and gathered her closer. Sliding her body in against Zelda’s, Lilith gently ran her fingertips along the underside of her outstretched arm. The touch caused Zelda to take a sharp inhale and her fingers to press firmly against the silky nightgown that formed a thin barrier between her and Lilith’s skin. They lay together, silently taking each other in. The frown line that creased Zelda’s forehead when she was vexed was relaxed at present. Lilith noted exactly where it was and how much younger she looked when she was at ease like this. Likewise, Zelda inspected Lilith’s bone structure, her aquiline nose and aquamarine eyes and she wondered again how the woman didn’t have a string of admirers at her beck and call.         

With that, Zelda traced her fingertips down Lilith’s chest, belly and down to her thigh. The moonlight speckled its way across Lilith’s skin so that her clavicle and cheekbones were more prominent. Zelda looked over her body with carnal delight.

“Mmm, you look good enough to eat,” she murmured, her voice low and laced with desire.

Lilith’s lips parted as she sidled closer to Zelda; the gaze between them growing so intense that Zelda inhaled shakily when she found herself unable to look away. Lilith lifted the nightdress she wore, slipping it up over her hips she felt Zelda place her hand on her naked thigh as she shifted the garment past her shoulders and over her head. Discarding it, she reached for Zelda’s nightshirt, which the woman wriggled out of just as quickly. Then, they both moved into each other’s arms with Lilith laying the gentlest kiss on Zelda’s lips. It felt like every nerve ending between both women had been kindled and was now waiting to explode. Zelda’s breasts pressed against Lilith’s mid kiss and they both gasped at the sensation. The hardened nubs of their nipples rubbing off one another as the kiss grew hungrier and deeper. With each thrust of Lilith’s tongue, she felt Zelda become more animated; her hands cradling Lilith’s face and returning her fervour with a gorgeous grinding movement that told Lilith she could deliver the goods.

Zelda moved her kisses down to the side of Lilith’s neck. Her lips felt like warm honey dripping along the epidermis. Lilith quaked inwardly at how sensitive she was to the touch. She wanted more. She wanted Zelda to fuck her. More than that, she wanted to hear Zelda say that she wanted to fuck her.

Still applying molten hot kisses to Lilith’s chest, Zelda started to slow down when she got to her breasts. Hovering for a second, she lifted her face up.

“Lilith?”

“Mmm?”

“Can I touch you?”

A large grin tugged at the corners of Lilith’s mouth. “You are touching me.”

“Yes, but…more.”

Lilith tilted her head back, her long flowing waves of hair moving out of the way as she lifted her arms around Zelda’s shoulders.

“I want you to touch me, Zelda. If you want to.”

“I do.”

“Tell me what you want to do to me.” Lilith’s voice was quieter now, her eyelids lowered. Zelda knew how worked up she was and that she was clinging to the moment in hopes that she would soon go over the edge.

Running her fingertips over Lilith’s navel, she softly said, “I want to touch every part of you. I want to make you beg me…”

“Mmm…beg you for what?” Lilith whimpered. Zelda’s fingers moved lower and the hairs on Lilith’s neck sat up.

“Relief.” Zelda placed a long, languorous lick against one nipple causing Lilith to shudder and moan. Removing her lips, she continued. “I want to make you tremble. I want to feel you. Be inside you.”

The pulsing sensation around Lilith’s clit was driving her insane. Biting her lip to keep from being too loud, she heard Zelda say it.

“I want to fuck you, Lilith. And I know you want that too.”

It was too much. Lilith groaned loudly, her head sinking. “Fuck me, Zelda.”

Lifting her head, Zelda pressed her lips to Lilith’s. Lightly tickling her thigh, Zelda felt the woman shift her leg to allow her access. Making eye contact with her once again, Zelda could feel Lilith’s frustration through her lips. With each press and bite, she seemed to be climbing a wave of pleasure that heightened with every bit of contact. Catching her in a moment of such vulnerability, Zelda seemed to be conditioning her with her eyes. When she saw what she wanted in Lilith’s face, Zelda lay her fingers against her slick, wet folds.

Lilith’s body shook, her head thrown back. She hadn’t been touched properly in so long. She needed it, more than she wanted Zelda to know, however, the touch was so heavenly she couldn’t stop the whimper that passed her lips. Letting her become accustomed to the feel of her fingertips stroking her, Zelda ran her thumb over her clitoris, eliciting an erotic cry from Lilith.

“Fuck! Oh god. Do it again!”

Zelda repeated the movement, slightly faster this time.

“Mmm, yes! Oh fuck!”

When Lilith began to quiver uncontrollably Zelda leaned in and kissed her.

“Shh. It’s ok. Look at me.”

Lilith gasped into her mouth. The woman wasn’t even inside her yet and it was proving more satisfying than she could have imagined. Zelda pressed her lips to Lilith’s tenderly, continuing to stroke over her sex. Lilith was now grinding furiously, trying to get herself off from the woman touching her clit alone, but Zelda moved her thumb further away to make Lilith move closer and draw out the climax.

“Say it again,” Zelda whispered in a commanding tone, “look at me when you say it.”

It took considerable effort. The nerves surrounding Lilith’s clitoris were tingling, but they hadn’t been stimulated quite enough and the walls of her cunt were palpitating with desire. Suppressing a groan, she forced herself to look at Zelda. The intimacy was new, and she wasn’t entirely sure if she wanted it. She saw the assurance in Zelda’s eyes that everything was going to be ok and that made Lilith want to try.

“Fuck me,” Lilith whined quietly, tears forming in her eyes.

“More…” Zelda replied firmly, but gently.

The need to be filled up was proving too much. Lilith felt something take over her. Not an orgasm, although that was building in the background. Something she hadn’t felt before was lurking. She couldn’t focus in it because Zelda was making quite a show of teasing and massaging her folds in some unique way that she hadn’t experienced before either.

“Zelda fuck me… right now!” she whimpered, her labia becoming wetter by the minute under the woman’s touch.

As she obeyed, Zelda held her gaze. “Right now?”

“Right n-ohhhh god!”

Zelda slid her index and middle finger inside her and watched with delight as Lilith moved her hips to get Zelda deeper inside. Once she found a depth that was working, Lilith began thrusting as Zelda slid her fingers in and out of her. Lilith was no longer holding her moans in and they echoed around the room like some enchanted melody that needed to be heard.

“Lilith…look at me.” Zelda was stroking her side with her other hand.

“Ohh, god yes. Harder!” Ecstasy was overwhelming her to the point where she almost didn’t hear Zelda guiding her back to her eyeline.

“Look at me…” she whispered it so gently that Lilith, who was now panting and gasping for breath, returned to her gaze and kissed her with a great hunger. Lilith wrapped her arms around Zelda’s shoulders and keened in the most erotically charged way with the movement sent Zelda deeper inside her.

The grinding and stroking continued, but the pace was a little slower now, building like waves on the ocean shore. Zelda combed Lilith’s hair gently, her hand resting on her cheek. Their eyes locked on each other, both of them breathless and exhilarated. Zelda curled her fingers upwards and laid a long, firm stroke against the fleshy wall that concealed Lilith’s G-spot.

“Don’t stop!” Lilith cried into her mouth. “Please don’t stop.”

“I won’t,” Zelda kissed her, “I won’t stop, I promise.”

Moaning, Lilith tightened her grip around Zelda’s shoulders. She was so close, but she could feel the orgasm starting to slip away. It had always been a problem, but she couldn’t remember feeling this turned on before and it frustrated her that she might not come now. Gritting her teeth, she groaned. Another stroke from Zelda. Then another. Maybe the problem was it was all too much.

Then, Zelda coaxed her.

“Lilith…”

She looked into Zelda’s eyes.

“You look so beautiful.”

A major spark of orgasm returned, and it showed on Lilith’s face. That wasn’t all. The vulnerability of being that exposed with this woman was getting to her.

“Come for me…”

“Ohhh…” Lilith gasped. She wanted to run, and she didn’t know why.

“Please…” Zelda was begging her. Lilith looked her straight in the eyes. That stern quality was gone, and a softer, more caring woman was caressing her inner most sanctum. Pleading with her to give in to what she was feeling.

Lilith pressed her mouth to Zelda’s in a savage kiss. Tears were threatening to spill from the corners of her eyes. Pressing her face into the pillow, Lilith felt Zelda shift forward to whisper in her ear.

“Come for me…please. All I want is to see you like this. With me inside you.”

“Oh….Zelda…oh god…uhhh…”

The steady pace was gorgeous; Lilith rocked back and forth over Zelda’s dexterity feeling wave upon wave of ecstasy wash over every limb on her body. It was as much the way Zelda spoke to her as what she was doing physically, and Lilith sank her teeth into the pillowcase to keep from screaming.

“Let me see you…” Zelda purred. “I want to watch you come undone.”

She pushed Lilith’s dark hair out of the way and encouraged her onto her back. Turning to face her, the manoeuvre caused Zelda’s fingers to hit off a particularly sensitive spot. Lilith’s back arched, her abdomen spasming in rapture. Zelda’s lips were on her stomach at once, soothing her back down to the bed. Electricity charged its way through every vertebra in her spine, resulting in goose-pimpled flesh on her arms and chest. Zelda watched her continue to rock, gentler now as she eased her into a false sense of security that she had extracted every ounce of pleasure from Zelda’s ministrations. Then Zelda curled her fingers up towards the same spot and slowly added more and more pressure. Lilith’s chest jolted up and she wriggled her hips, desperately trying to get more of the same feeling. She sat up, drawing Zelda to her and they rocked in the centre of the bed. Zelda’s fingers were working faster now, and Lilith was close. So close she felt she may lose her senses completely.

Her cries were more audible with each stroke. Zelda could feel them reverberating through her diaphragm and down to her core.

“You’re close…” she whispered, kissing Lilith’s cheek.

“Mm…yes…” was all Lilith could manage in between gasps. The crescent was coming, and it was huge. Feeling Zelda’s thumb working her clit faster now, Lilith thrust her hips against her. It was so much, but it felt incredible.

With her hand cradling the side of Lilith’s face, Zelda whispered, “You’re safe…”

Gasping as tears spilled down her cheeks, Lilith wailed her release as her legs shook violently beneath her, followed by her abdomen, chest and arms. The next thing she knew was the feeling of Zelda’s arms enveloping her and her fingers combing through her hair.

“That’s it…good girl,” Zelda reassured her.

“Ohhhh…oh god…”

Lilith’s heartbeat thumped in her eardrums. Blood coursing through to every nerve ending. The cry she had let out was an utterly beautiful sound, one she hadn’t been in control of and she had felt Zelda shake at being the one who caused it. Even now it was clear from the way Zelda held her and rocked her that they both had been affected.

Pulling back from the embrace, Zelda held her by the shoulders and stared at Lilith as though she was inspecting her. “Are you alright?” Zelda asked, her voice still coated in desire.

Swallowing hard, Lilith nodded, “Yes…”

“Do you want to lie down-”

“Are you?” Lilith asked suddenly.

Caught by surprise at the question, Zelda met her gaze. “Am I what?”

“Alright?”

The silence that followed confirmed Lilith’s suspicion that something had shifted between them.

“Yes.” Zelda answered sweetly. “Let’s lie down. You need your rest for work.”

Returning to their original positions in the bed, they watched each other in the stillness for a while. A light shudder passed through Lilith’s limbs and she wrapped her arms around herself. The aftermath was still working its way through her system and she smiled at the occasional involuntary jolt of a limb in response. Shifting closer to her, Zelda offered her body to keep her warm. Likewise, Lilith moved in towards her, their lips softly brushing. Feeling her limbs beginning to soften from the body heat, Lilith blinked slowly as sleep called her name. Giving in, the last thing she felt was the reassuring firm pressure of Zelda’s hand on her back, enfolding her in the comforting blanket of embrace.

The morning came far too quickly, as it often does when sleep has been broken and work is waiting. Rousing Lilith from her slumber, Zelda was sitting up on the edge of the bed with her head inclined to one side. Blinking her eyes open, Lilith saw that she had showered and changed. She watched her sweep her hair over one shoulder; a glossy cascading sheet of coral and copper tones that framed her face, making her look like Botticelli’s Venus in the daylight.

“What time is it?”

“8.30, would you like breakfast before I drop you off at yours?”

“Sure, just something small. I’ll shower and eat something more substantial back at mine.”

Finding her clothes, Lilith dressed quickly, and Zelda walked with her down the staircase where she noticed there were more floors to the house than she had realised.

“You weren’t kidding about the size of the place.”

Chuckling, Zelda set about making some toast under the grill, “If I hadn’t grown up in this house, I’d get lost in it. Sometimes, if I’m away for months on end it feels like a labyrinth.”

“Do you often have to leave for long periods?”

“Usually twice a year; during the summer and at Christmas…. but not anymore.”

There was a brief awkwardness as Zelda busied herself with setting the table. Watching her curiously, Lilith wanted to enquire as to why her annual plans had changed, but she supposed Zelda meant because she was moving back to New York. There was a topic she wanted to ask more about but didn’t quite know how to go about it yet. Settling her skirt, Lilith looked around the kitchen with intrigue. What did baby Zelda get up to in here she wondered?

Soon after, Zelda laid a plate filled with hot toast on the table, followed by eggs, coffee and butter. It had been many years since Lilith had seen such a spread prepared for the first meal of the day. There was something very comforting about sharing a hot meal together, especially because Thursdays were often the busiest day for the gallery and she often forgot to have lunch. Then Lilith remembered she and Zelda had talked about having dinner on Friday night. Were they still on for that she wondered? For a brief moment, she found herself wondering if Zelda would cancel due to them having spent the night together already. Maybe that was all Zelda had wanted. The unplanned whisk to the park had obviously given her a new lease on life as she looked revitalised in the morning light. As Lilith pondered how to bring it up, she saw Zelda take up her phone.

“Lilith?”

“Hmm?”

“Are you working late tomorrow?”

With a hint of surprise, Lilith shook her head, “No, tonight is the late opening. It’s 5 as usual on Friday. Why?”

Munching on some toast, Lilith felt a sharp silence hit her.

“We had made plans. Does it still suit you?” Zelda looked from her phone to Lilith inquisitively. Her tone was light and airy, but her look conveyed that much more was hidden beneath her eyes.

“It does. Have you thought any more about how you’d like to spend it?”

A shyness seemed to take over Zelda as indicated by the blush that coloured her cheeks.

“I take it that’s a yes?” Lilith coaxed, a large grin taking over her lips.

Attempting to mask her excitement, Zelda sipped her coffee and nodded. “Yes, I hope you’ve done the same.”

“I have. In fact, I’ve given quite some thought to what I want to do to you…if you’ll indulge me that is?”

“Have you heard me refuse so far?” Zelda smirked.

“No,” Lilith agreed, “but I won’t have you push your limits without communicating to me what you’re comfortable with.”

Zelda thought this over, her eyes noticeably darker than before. “I can assure you, Lilith, anything that happens between us is very much wanted.”

A flurry of emotion flew upwards into Lilith’s chest. Was that an admission that she might want more than casual sex? Breakfast didn’t seem an appropriate time to ask, but it clawed at her that Zelda was giving a little more away.

They finished eating and made their way to Zelda’s car where she drove Lilith back to her apartment. As she pulled up, Lilith took her bag up in her arms and without thinking she moved across to kiss Zelda goodbye. Stopping herself just as her intention became clear, she saw Zelda watching her in the rear-view mirror. She had caught the movement and there was nothing Lilith could do to rewind time. Fumbling for words, she spoke the only ones that came to mind.

“It was lovely to see you again. Thank you for yesterday and for driving me home.”

Zelda was still watching her. She sat back fully in her seat and twisted towards Lilith. Their eyes met, both without makeup and still sleepy. An awkward pause was broken when Zelda moved towards her and kissed her cheek tenderly. Lilith’s eyes closed in response to the warmth and softness. Slowly, carefully, she turned her face in towards Zelda’s and their lips meshed together. Letting go of the steering wheel, Zelda ran her fingertips up Lilith’s arms until they were getting lost in her billowing mass of hair. Reaching for her waist, Lilith slipped her tongue past Zelda’s. It was only one more night until they would meet again. Why was she drinking this woman up like she was a well and Lilith a thirsty traveller lost in a desert?

Breaking the kiss, Lilith gave a warm smile. With the gentlest touch, Zelda stroked the side of her face. There was something undeniably sad in Zelda’s eyes. Lilith found it heart-breaking to see, especially since she had seen her sleeping and looking so peaceful only a few hours beforehand. Pressing her lips together, Lilith sighed quietly.

“I better go. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Alright.” Zelda offered a smile, weak though it was Lilith could see that she meant it.

“Zelda…I hope you don’t mind my saying so, but…it seems like you’re carrying something heavy.”

The woman shrank a little. It seemed to be more at having a vulnerability pointed out than the actual weight of whatever it was.

“We don’t know each other very well, but I want you to know I’m here if you need someone to talk to.” Lilith added.

Zelda’s head sagged a bit, but when she lifted her eyes to meet Lilith’s she looked more at ease. “Thank you. I appreciate it,” she offered a weak smile.

It didn’t feel like there was anything else to say, so Lilith simply stepped out of the car and softly uttered, “Bye,” then watched as Zelda waved and drove off.

Maybe it would be best to see how dinner went the following evening. If all went well, perhaps she could posit a few more questions. Or Zelda may be waiting for a more intimate setting to reveal more of herself to Lilith. Perhaps that was it, she reasoned. Realising that time was marching on, she hurried up to the apartment to shower and get ready for work.

 

Arriving outside the gallery a few minutes before opening, Lilith stopped in her tracks. There in front of the closed shutter, tapping his foot impatiently was Faustus Blackwood. Immediately, her heart started to palpitate hard in her chest. What was he doing here? He never arrived without giving her at least 24 hours’ notice. Turning, he saw her at the top of the steps.

“Good morning, Lilith.”

“Two visits in one week! To what do I owe the pleasure, Faustus?” nervously, Lilith descended the three steps, grappling for her keys as she went.

“Ah - before you do that, I wonder might I have a word with you please?”

Lilith knew why his presence made her so anxious today. On top of arriving unannounced, he had access to the gallery and could have let himself in without her knowing. He could have just as easily opened the safe and seen the paintings stowed inside. Art that had been created by her own two hands and that she kept on standby should anyone with a particularly hefty wallet show up. Paintings that he would certainly have recognised as being remarkably similar in style to the one he had hesitations about selling in the gallery mere weeks beforehand.

Doing her best to mask her nerves, Lilith nodded and followed his lead towards a coffee shop nearby. Every step there she told herself silently to stop overreacting. If he had seen the paintings, his reaction would be far more vocal. Or would it? He did have a lot on his plate. Would he care?

“What would you like?”

Looking up, Lilith realised they were inside, and she had gotten side-tracked by her thoughts. Faustus stood gesturing to her; his mouth slightly open as if about to speak. He raised his eyebrows, unsure if she’d heard the question.

“Just an espresso, I’ll get it.” She opened her purse, but Faustus interjected.

“Not at all, let me. Do you want to find somewhere to sit?”

The likelihood that he knew what she was up to seemed quite slim if his expression was anything to go by. She breathed deeply. What could he possibly want so early in the morning, she wondered?

Finding a table near the window, she inserted herself by the wall. Moments later, Faustus joined her with two cups of espresso.

“Are you well?” he asked.

“Yes, very. Thank you. And you?”

“I’m alright.” It was a lie. Lilith met his stare and after a few seconds, she ventured a question.

“Faustus…forgive me if this is intrusive. I certainly wouldn’t want to overstep a professional boundary, but may I ask what it is that’s going on? You can of course tell me to mind my own business. It’s just that I may be able to help if I know what the problem is.”

“That’s actually what I wanted to talk to you about.” Pausing to dab at his forehead, Faustus appeared to have shaky hands. Lilith regarded him with growing concern. She had never seen him look quite so pale or wan, and for a man who was naturally lilywhite that was quite a feat.

“It appears we might have a legal problem on our hands,” he began and stopped rather suddenly. Lilith responded with wide-eyed surprise. “A sentence every employee loves to hear,” she replied.

Faustus sipped his coffee looking entirely prepared for her comment, nevertheless he ignored it and continued. “Shortly after I inherited the gallery, I entered into a business arrangement with an individual who has since…shall we say, deviated from the path we had planned for said business.”

It came as no surprise to Lilith that Faustus had other business interests outside the gallery. She had always hoped he would remain more invested in those pursuits as it distracted him nicely from checking up on her. Equally it failed to shock her that he was involved with anyone who was less than honourable as this ‘individual’ appeared to be from Faustus’ intonation.

“Anyway, this person discovered that I was making money from this particular investment that they weren’t aware of – the gallery, I mean.” Lilith nodded in understanding. “The discovery occurred just as we were parting ways. Their lawyers are complete sharks and they have advised their client to sue me for failing to be transparent about my additional business and any profits obtained from it.”

Narrowing her eyes, Lilith felt an elephant appear in the room. Watching and waiting for Faustus to expand on what he had just said, she could see no further explanation was coming.

“And may I ask, is this…individual with whom you were in business…did they have some other type of relationship with you?”

Faustus pursed his lips in displeasure, his eyelids lowering to the table before them.

“Technically, yes. But it was a business arrangement and no feelings were hurt in the matter.”

Lilith eyed him cautiously. If the man was trying to sneakily relay to her that her position was in peril merely because he didn’t have the balls to treat an estranged partner with respect, she wasn’t having any of it.

“Faustus, I really have no time for games. Are you here to tell me that my job is in danger?”

Even uttering the words, Lilith felt her heart plummet in her chest.

He blinked in surprise at how forthright her manner was. “As far as my lawyers are concerned, they don’t have a case.”

A sigh of relief passed Lilith’s lips.

“But…I’m not sure I believe them. The ongoing legal fees are a concern. Coupled with the fact that the gallery hasn’t been making much in the past few months, if it ends up that I’m forced to pay out half of the gallery’s profits to the other side, we won’t have a leg to stand on.”

Staring in disbelief, Lilith looked as though she was about to be violently ill. “What are you saying we should do?” she managed to say.

“I don’t want to close the gallery, nor do I want to be the bearer of bad news. You’ve worked very hard and you deserve to flourish with whatever the gallery can do under your management.”

Confused, Lilith quirked an eyebrow.

“I feel that we have to do something to inject a massive amount of cashflow very quickly if we’re to have some chance of surviving. If you have any ideas, I’d be very open to hearing them.”

Lilith’s eyes widened. This was hardly her issue, yet here he was expecting her to fix it. Laughing in shock, she exclaimed, “Faustus, I don’t have a miracle idea off the top of my head. Are you telling me you’ve only become aware of this today?”

“I’ve been aware of it for a few weeks, but in my defence, I have been trying to work out what can be done.”

Raising her eyebrows to inquire if he had summoned any thoughts on the matter, Lilith was met with a brief head shake. Sighing loudly, her eyes darted around the café in a panic. Where was she supposed to secure new clients from? Did this man think she could conjure additional business out of thin air? Suddenly, she thought of something and Faustus saw her expression change.

“What is it?”

“There is a new patron. A very wealthy patron who is a collector and seems quite willing to part with large sums in exchange for exclusive pieces by a particular artist. Only yesterday I secured a large payment for a recent acquisition.”

There, Lilith paused. She didn’t want to mention that this patron had paid the same amount for another piece earlier in the month, or that the artist was herself under an alias.

“And do you think they would be interested in any other artists we have in the gallery?”

Lilith knew it was unlikely that Zelda could be persuaded away from the style she believed was unique to DeLacy. That didn’t mean all was lost. It did mean she would need to get to work creating plenty more pieces.

“I can test the waters and see. When would we need this injection of cash by?”

“As soon as we can. Ideally before the end of January.”

So, that was her Christmas taken up with paintings then. Mulling over the idea, Lilith felt some of her panic subside, but not totally. It wasn’t guaranteed that Zelda would purchase further work from the gallery. Nor was it ethical to continue to lie to the woman when things seemed to be progressing between them.

“I can’t promise this, you understand?” Lilith warned.

“I know. I trust that you’ll do whatever you can to secure further investments.”

“And what if I can’t?”

A silence loomed, loud and angry.

“We’ll just have to cross that bridge when we come to it, Lilith. I can’t promise anything either.”

It made her ferociously annoyed inside, but Lilith knew there was no real point in arguing. The man was clearly in a rut and Lilith wasn’t prepared to be dragged into it with him. She would do her job to the best of her ability and if that wasn’t enough, she would have to find something else to do.

“Right. Well, I better go and open up and try to take some people’s money then.” she said as calmly as possible. Grabbing her handbag, she shuffled out of her seat, irritation clearly marking her face. Sighing, Faustus rose and walked her outside.

“Are you around for the whole day?” Lilith asked brusquely.

“Yes, I have a few meetings to attend nearby, but they shouldn’t last too long. Why?” Faustus was standing opposite her, his hands in his pockets and an exceptionally dour expression on his features. Glaringly, Lilith searched her handbag for her keys again.

“I’ve tried opening late on Thursdays. So far profits have risen by 20% because of it. I’ve been given a cancellation appointment with my doctor for this evening that I need to attend. Can you cover me for an hour?”

“Yes, of course. That’s impressive that there’s been an increase already, Lilith. What time is your appointment?”

“6pm. We’re open til 9,” she paused briefly to drop the hint. “You wouldn’t believe how many wealthy New Yorkers roam the streets looking for new art so late on a weekday.”

Although Faustus made no mention of staying on past the hour to help her, Lilith could sense how impressed he was with her business acumen. She hoped this would be enough to divert his attention away from the lie she had just told him. There was no doctor’s appointment. She needed a break and if Faustus wasn’t prepared to hire someone to help her, the least he could do was cover her himself. She couldn’t bank on telling him the truth as Faustus was a workshy bastard at the best of times. This would allow her to leave and pick up a few bits before her date with Zelda the next night.

Was it a date? They hadn’t officially called it that, but it certainly seemed like this wasn’t going to be a one-off thing. Her mind began drifting to more pleasant images, such as how Zelda looked her in the eye as she came harder than she could remember coming before only hours ago. She stifled a groan by clearing her throat.

Ruffling his hands through his oily black hair, Faustus brought her attention back to the present.

“Until this evening then, Lilith.”

“Yes, see you then.”

Faustus departed, leaving Lilith to open the gallery in peace. The routine was one she had been oddly fond of at first. The metallic clang of the shutter hitting the barrier above the door. The ring of the bell as the door swung open. The smell of fresh jasmine and lilies coming from the flowers on her desk. Walking across to hang up her coat, she noticed a heavy feeling descend upon her. It was like someone was slowly pouring cement into her chest and that someone was Faustus Blackwood and his idiotic notions of how a business should be run. If he had just given Lilith full control when he hired her, he wouldn’t be in this mess and she wouldn’t have to worry about having a job further down the line.

Bringing her hands to her hips, Lilith surveyed the gallery. Something had to be done, but what?

Seating herself at the desk, she took out a portfolio with briefs she had completed to see if she could garner any inspiration from them. Realising fairly quickly that creativity is not always at its best when pressurised, Lilith tucked the portfolio away. Instead, she began brainstorming with a pen and paper about the different events they had held in the past and how these could be modified to influence more patrons to buy.

The hours passed and the pages Lilith was scrawling plans on were soon crowded with ideas. Some she had drawn a line through when further planning brought her to the conclusion that certain things were out of the question because of the cost involved.

Finally, exhausted and hungry, she dropped the pen and massaged her temples. There were a handful of people wandering through the gallery, but none of them had disturbed her since entering. A brief, courteous hello had sufficed. Lilith was not one for ramming her assistance down anyone’s throat. If a client wanted her help all they had to do was ask. Pinching the bridge of her nose and closing her eyes, she felt the presence of someone in front of her. Releasing her hand from her face, she looked up, blinking in surprise.

“Faustus? Is everything alright?”

Blackwood stood almost to attention in front of the desk, his eyes scanning the room and then Lilith’s face.

“Yes, quite. My meetings are over, one was cancelled so I am a little early.”

Lilith’s brows knitted together in perplexity. Her eyes darted around the room.

“But it’s only 3pm…” she directed his attention to the clock on the wall.

“Yes, but I thought about what you said and admittedly I don’t really pitch in around here. Is there something I can help with?”

She wasn’t entirely sure what to do with that. He had taken the hint for the first time ever. If it were anyone else who had worked a day in their life, perhaps it would have felt like a weight had been lifted. As it was, Faustus with all his privilege, to the manor born with a silver spoon, stood before her somewhat willing and waiting for her guidance. Perhaps she should be grateful for small mercies, she reminded herself.

“Well that’s most appreciated. I’ve been going over some possible event ideas. Won’t you sit down, and we can discuss them?”

Faustus drew a chair from the far side of the room and joined her at the desk. And so, Lilith ran an extensive list by him, all of which he listened to attentively. Together they agreed that an event on a much larger scale was needed and Faustus assured Lilith that he would stay to assist her with it.

Throughout the meeting, Lilith noticed that Faustus had the distinct smell of liquor about him and he was doing his utmost to disguise it. It was whiskey; strong and heavy. Refraining from commenting, she simply noted it in case the need should ever arise to pull him up on it.

Once they had reached a decision on what was to be done, Lilith sorted the documentation and shuffled the remaining papers into a tidy pile that she placed in a drawer. It was a relief to have that side of things somewhat sorted, but there was still well over an hour left before she was due to leave, and Faustus was to cover for her. Mulling over what she could ask him to do next, she was about to suggest he check on the man who had been gawking at the same painting for the last half hour when Faustus caught her attention.

“Lilith, I have my set of keys. If you don’t have anything pressing to do here, I’d be happy to cover for you for the rest of the day.”

Gobsmacked, Lilith stared at him expecting it to be a joke. It wasn’t. Could she trust him to look after the place in her absence? The only time he did so was when she took annual leave and even then, she was plagued with panic-stricken calls from him about what he should do. Something about him seemed entirely different this time and she was pushed to accept the offer.

“Are you sure?” she checked.

“Absolutely.” Dangling his set of keys from his thumb and forefinger, Lilith regarded him with happy surprise. “It’s the least I can do.”

Yielding to the temptation of the evening off, she accepted.

“Thank you, Faustus. Do you want to get something to eat before I go?”

“Not at all, I had a heavy lunch in Tribeca only an hour ago.”

“Well, I’ll be nearby, I have a few errands to run. Call me if you need help.” Lilith fastened her coat and draped her bag over her shoulder.

“Keep warm,” Faustus advised, “snow is due this evening.”

Saying their goodbyes, Lilith made her way out the door and out into her beloved adopted city. Not even 5pm and she was free for the evening. Delighted with herself, she looked out towards the heart of Manhattan. In the afternoon winter light, it looked immensely cold and savage and Lilith couldn’t get enough.

Walking through the packed streets, she saw the sign for Sachs 5th Avenue and made her way in. Having passed the storefront countless times, she had never ventured inside because she knew it was overly expensive. However, today she had the desire to splurge on herself and there was no better time than the present. After she had a quick look at some of the clothes, Lilith began browsing the lingerie department. Rails filled with chemises, robes and everyday loungewear were lovely to search through, but none of them were quite what she wanted.

Discovering a section devoted to more daring accoutrements, Lilith was pleased to find it empty of other people. She was after something that would accentuate her assets just enough to drive Zelda wild. She felt a little self-conscious from how exposed she’d been that morning in the woman’s bed. In her house. On her terms. She knew so little about Zelda, partly because they hadn’t gone on a proper date, but also because they seemed to have an immediate connection. But what was it based on? The times they’d met had involved physicality and almost going all the way, but they hadn’t had a proper conversation. Lilith stalled as the thought ran through her head. Did Zelda want to have a proper conversation? Did she? Maybe it was better to keep it to sex. Although sex always complicates things. Suddenly, Lilith felt ridiculous and she silently chided herself for rushing ahead without thinking. If she was here to buy anything it should be for herself, not anyone else.

Then a magnificent sight caught her eye; a few feet ahead of her stood a mannequin wearing a deep emerald green baby doll nightie. The outer layers were chiffon on top of silk, and it was too inviting not to take a closer look. Moving over to the mannequin, Lilith fingered the material with appreciation. A well-made garment is always one to behold. The buttery soft fabric was heaven to touch and she could imagine it on herself. Dangling off the side was the price tag. Lilith flipped it over and felt her heart drop. $455 was a lot for something one wears to bed she thought (and in her case, it was more for packaging purposes than anything else), but it was fabulous. Anyway, she deserved it. Taking one from the rack in her size, Lilith picked up some additional pieces that took her fancy and headed over to pay.

 

The following day at work was much like any other. Lilith found a note from Faustus on the desk when she opened the gallery. It read:

“Lilith, you were quite right about the later opening hours. There have certainly been lots of people, but sadly no sales. I took the liberty of closing at 8pm rather than 9pm considering this. Talk soon.

F”

If it had been possible to roll her eyes any further back in her head, she would have done so. Lilith had known deep down it was too good to be true. Faustus Blackwood offering to do a decent half day’s work. Never! One hour wasn’t necessarily going to make a difference, but she also knew Faustus wasn’t overly fond of people and therefore it was highly likely he hadn’t approached anyone to assist them. In her excitement at the prospect of a free afternoon and evening, she had forgotten this. Oh well, there was no use worrying about it now.

Once she had settled down at her desk, Lilith got stuck into her paperwork and dutifully took care of everything from the day before. A low buzzing sound made her look up. Her eyes searched around the desk until she realised her phone was in her bag. Fishing it out, she saw the screen light up with a text.

Zelda: “Good morning! Tell me, do you prefer chicken or beef? Also, do you have any allergies?”

Lilith grinned as her fingers worked quickly.

L: “Good morning! Hitting me with the tough questions I see. If we’re talking about food, no allergies that I know of. Hmm, on the one hand, chicken soaks up the flavours of everything else you cook with it, whereas beef is so…juicy…”

Z: “Is chicken the safer option? Wouldn’t want to have you too worked up over dinner.”

Lilith immediately sent a grumpy faced emoji in return.

Z: “Or maybe beef would be better if you’re going to be childish about it.”

L: “If you keep taunting me like this, I’m afraid I won’t be able to show you the wonderful new items I got for us in anticipation of this evening.”  

Watching the status bar, Lilith saw Zelda stop typing as she read the message. A smirk crossed her lips. Yesterday morning had been unlike anything she’d experienced with anyone else. It had made her feel unexpectedly weak, like she could dissolve in Zelda’s arms and be safe. She craved the same feeling again. The same touch. Zelda’s lips, her skin, her luscious red curls, those eyes. More than that. She wanted Zelda to want the same things. To hear her say it.

Z: “We wouldn’t want that…tell me more…”

L: “I can’t. It appears my hands are tied.”

Z: “Is that a clue?”

L: “You’ll just have to wait and see.”

Z: “Hmm, I look forward to it. Do you remember your way here?”

L: “I do. How should I dress?”

Z: “Don’t…”

L: “I believe one can get arrested for that sort of thing.”

Z: “That’s what trench coats are for. And you do look so delicious in that black dominatrix style leather one.”

Lilith’s grin widened. Her plan to ease Zelda into dirty talk was working splendidly in this format.

L: “Ah, I did wonder if you enjoyed that one. I’ll make sure to remember. What time?”

Z: “Dinner is at 7. You’re welcome to join me beforehand.”

L: “I shall. See you later.”

With that, Lilith’s spirits rose in a delicious cacophony that made every nerve in her body tingle. The knowledge that she would soon be seeing Zelda in all her splendour made the rest of the day fly by; it also softened her annoyance at Faustus as she reasoned he was only a man after all and he clearly had his own problems going on. Besides, it didn’t seem like he had anyone to turn to and that made her feel sorry for him.

 

After work, Lilith returned home to shower and change. Her complete selection of new lingerie lay spread out on the bed; a menagerie of rich colours, each of which highlighted her eyes. Emerging from the bathroom, a white plume of steam accompanied her. Her hair was caught up in a towel and sat on her head like a turban waiting for its jewels to be applied. Lilith began her toilette by selecting her favourite playlist, an upbeat choice of tracks to put her in the mood for the evening ahead. Once her hair was coiffed in its usual way, she paid extra attention to her makeup. Making sure it was minimal, she drew her eyeliner on with a feline flick at the ends and curled her lashes with heat before setting them with the blackest mascara she owned. It was dramatic in contrast to her topaz blue eyes and she hoped it would have the effect she intended. Turning to select a set of underwear, Lilith eyed the jewel toned sapphire bra and matching briefs. There was emerald and ruby also, but she was drawn to a muted tone that would complement her eyes. When she was satisfied with her choice, she drew on a chic garnet coloured dress and her favourite heels. She packed a few things into a small overnight bag that fit into her handbag discreetly. Zelda hadn’t specifically stated that she would be staying over, but it was best to be prepared. Last, but certainly not least she took the leather trench coat out of the wardrobe and tied it neatly at her waist. Checking over her appearance in the full-length mirror, she turned to check everything looked good before hoisting the bag over her shoulder. On her way out, Lilith grasped the bottle of wine she had picked up on her way home and fit it into her bag and set off on her way to Tribeca.

 

The streets were busy in Brooklyn, but much less so as she neared her destination. The weather had taken a sharp turn that left Lilith reconsidering her choice of heels and bare legs. The ice seemed to snap at her ankles while the wind threatened to derail her hair. As she always did, Lilith simply steeled herself against the elements, knowing they could do no real damage to her.

Approaching the house, the familiar sight of the cherry blossoms greeted her. The outline was stunning in the height of winter as the petals were virtually indistinguishable from the snow that fell around them. The lights of the house were on in several rooms and there was clearly life behind the tall windows. Nervously, she rang the bell and stepped back from the door a little. The glass panes on either side of the door were flooded with light from the hallway and she could see Zelda’s form like a silhouette making her way towards her. The heavy door swung open, illuminating both of them like a vision in stainless glass windows.

“Lilith! Welcome, won’t you come in? Are you cold?”

Zelda seemed nervous too. For a second Lilith wondered if she had interrupted something.

“Thank you, I’m fine although it is a little chilly. Am I too early?” she checked her phone and saw it was just before 7.

Zelda shook her head and closed the door behind her. “You’re right on time, can I take your… coat?” she hesitated as she looked at the coat. Lilith could see her wondering if she had taken her literally and was wearing nothing other than lingerie under it.

“Yes, please.” Lilith untied the belt, noticing that Zelda made no effort to stop her. When she removed it, she saw Zelda’s face fall slightly.

“You look disappointed!” she chuckled, “Would you really have me walk in the cold night air in nothing more than this and some underwear?”

Zelda looked as though she didn’t think it was an entirely bad idea. She hung the garment upon the coat stand near the door and when she turned around, Lilith furnished her with the bottle of wine.

“Lilith! You shouldn’t have.”

“Well, I did,” she presented herself to Zelda as though she too was a gift. “You look wonderful, thank you for inviting me,” Lilith added. Zelda smiled, her eyes glinting like precious stones. “My pleasure. You look stunning…” she drifted off as though she had just remembered something. Lilith searched her face for a clue to what was going on behind those grey toned eyes. She could see Zelda examining every inch of her and liking what she found. Taking the hint, Lilith extended a hand and Zelda took it. Drawing her close, Lilith planted a delicate kiss on her lips. She felt Zelda enfold her arm around her waist. The contact made the chill that had rattled Lilith’s bones disappear and suddenly she felt a hunger rip through her. A yearning to touch Zelda in ways she hadn’t yet. Parting from her reluctantly, Zelda hummed and led her into the kitchen.

A savoury scent emanated from the room; coupled with the fine china dining set laid out on the table in the adjoining room, everything indicated Zelda had gone to a lot of trouble. As she opened the wine, Zelda gestured that Lilith should make herself at home.

“Can I help with anything?” she asked, glancing at all the finery surrounding her. The distinct, mellow strains of Sarah Vaughn’s voice played over the speakers in the dining room.

“Not at all, it’s in hand.” Pouring two large glasses of wine, Zelda brought them over. “A toast?” she offered.

“A toast! To…?”

“To health and happiness!” Zelda declared.

“To health and happiness.” Lilith agreed, as the sound of the crystal clinked daintily.

The dress Zelda wore was black with a gold trimmed hem and sheer lace sliced panels extending over her breasts and at the sides of her hips. The design deliberately drew an observer’s eye down her body, legs and down to a pair of red sling back stilettos on her feet.

“How was your day?”

Lilith was too distracted by the striking figure in front of her and it took a moment for her to realise Zelda was speaking to her.

“Hm…oh, it was fine. The usual, clients were surprisingly normal today though. I believe I may have solved a bit of a financial issue we were facing, so a good day all in all. And how was yours?”

Lilith sipped her wine as Zelda sat down opposite her at the table.

“Busy with paperwork and meetings mostly. I was intending on returning to Boston for Christmas, but there’s been a change of plan. I spent the better half of today cancelling my flights.”

“You’re staying here for the holidays?” Lilith inquired, trying to mask the secret delight that was crawling inside her.

Zelda smiled softly, “It would appear so. My sister Hilda will be flying in on Monday along with her husband, my niece and nephew. Hilda’s cooking is legendary in our family, so there will be quite a spread that will last several days no doubt.”

At that the oven beeped loudly, telling Zelda the timer was finished. Up she hopped to remove the food. “And what about you, Lilith?”

“What about me?”

“What do you do for Christmas?”

Inwardly, Lilith had a sudden feeling of dread. “Not anything out of the ordinary. The usual, you know.”

Placing a plate filled with fresh, hot food in front of the woman, Zelda furrowed her brow. “Out of the ordinary? Well, how do you spend the holidays?”

Clearing her throat quietly, Lilith took up the cutlery in front of her. “At home. In the apartment. A friend usually comes by to have dinner on Christmas Eve and then it’s mostly an old movie fest until I go back to work.”

Zelda stood frozen next to her and Lilith could feel her muscles tensing under that watchful stare. “What about your family?”

Normally, Lilith would evade a person’s gaze when presented with an awkward or uncomfortable question. This was different. Even though she didn’t like talking about the past that much, she felt more at ease in Zelda’s company somehow. Lifting her face, she said softly;

“I don’t have any close family. My parents are dead and I’m an only child.”

Zelda’s expression shifted to one of greater pity and Lilith found herself less comfortable with this idea. Zelda lowered her eyes as she appeared to be thinking over what to say. Eventually, she murmured, “I’m sorry. I know this is going to sound odd, but I envy you.”

Cocking an eyebrow, Lilith looked at her in confusion, “Why?”

Resuming her seat at the opposite side of the table, Zelda replied, “There are times when I wonder…would it be easier…to be alone.”

“Alone? I don’t really think of myself as being alone. Not really. I have friends and-”

“No,” Zelda interjected calmly, “I mean…alone, an only child. To have no dependants.”

“You have dependants?”

“Yes, my niece and nephew.”

“Oh yes.” Lilith remembered Zelda had mentioned them the first night they went out. “What ages did you say they were?”

“Sabrina is 16, Ambrose is 30. My sister Hilda and I are their legal guardians.”

Surprised at the age discrepancy, Lilith quirked an eyebrow. “If you don’t mind my asking…if Ambrose is 30 why does he require a guardian?”

At this, Zelda sighed wearily. “Ambrose is...troubled. He lost his father very young in an attack that he was witness to, and it left an impression. As a teenager, he discovered the whereabouts of the gang who killed his father and he went after them armed with nothing more than his bare fists. Needless to say, he was lucky to survive.”

Absorbing this information, Lilith noted that Zelda looked stricken with grief herself. “Was Ambrose’s father…your brother?” she asked, trying to piece the family tree together.

“No, Ambrose’s father married a close family friend who also passed away when Ambrose was but a boy. We adopted him, in accordance with his parents’ wishes. My only brother was Sabrina’s father. Hilda and I do our best to support both of them, which is why she goes all out on the holidays and I try to guide them as best I can.” Here, she stopped and sipped her wine.

Tilting her head, Lilith swallowed the wine and replied, “Well, it certainly sounds like a traditional Christmas in your house. Do you like Christmas?”

“I do, although Halloween is my favourite holiday. And you?”

With a quiet laugh, Lilith smiled, “Halloween is my favourite too. Quelle surprise. If I didn’t know any better Ms Spellman, I’d say you were a witch.”

Zelda raised the glass to her lips, “You’re not the first to make such a suggestion.”

Watching her with growing intrigue, Lilith began to wonder if she had hit on something. “Are you?” she asked when Zelda looked utterly pleased with herself.

Swallowing her wine, Zelda smacked her lips together in smug satisfaction. “I’ve been known to dabble in the black arts, yes. I am a descendent of the women burned at the stake in 1692 who were accused of witchcraft.”

Lilith’s eyes widened. “I knew it.”

“Did you now?” Zelda smirked.

“Yes,” Lilith insisted playfully, “I knew you were up to something in Salem.”

At this, Zelda’s face fell, and Lilith instantly regretted having said anything. Shaking her head, she said, “Forgive me, I…”

“It’s quite alright,” Zelda interjected, “my being secretive about things isn’t going to help.”

“Zelda, it’s none of my business, really I’m-”

Lilith didn’t know how to finish her sentence. She did want to know what was going on and hiding it didn’t look good on her.

Zelda set her knife and fork down and dabbed at her lips before speaking.

“I was in Salem to see my attorney. I’m…I was married for a very short time.” Here she paused to gauge Lilith’s reaction.

“Oh?” was all Lilith said.

“It was a marriage of convenience. Not for love.”

Nodding slowly, Lilith watched her. There was more.

“We separated a few years ago, but there are some legal…leftovers to attend to. It’s very nearly settled, I’m due to receive some of his estate in the coming months, which will make the move back to New York that much easier.”

Lilith couldn’t stop herself, she asked, “Is that what was bothering you the other day? And the time before that?”

“Yes,” Zelda admitted. “I hope that hasn’t frightened you off?”

Lilith felt another question whizz around inside her brain. “Are you sure there aren’t any feelings involved there?” Her voice was quiet, but the implied hope remained tangible.

Rising from her chair with a smile, Zelda made her way over to perch herself on Lilith’s lap. “Of that I can assure you,” she promised.

“Hmm, I might need some convincing…” Lilith teased. Zelda was gazing at her with such interest and desire that it made Lilith feel a tremble run through her.

Leaning in, Zelda seized her lips in a kiss.

“I hope you don’t feel misled,” she murmured in between tasting Lilith’s mouth.

“To be honest, I do…” Lilith bit her lip and sighed.

Zelda sat back; her face panic stricken. “Lilith, I’m sorry, I promise it wasn’t for-”

Lilith wrapped her arms about Zelda’s waist, stopping her mid-sentence. “Promises are just empty words, Zelda. Actions are what I’m all about. I want you to make it up to me.”

Realising that Lilith wasn’t actually upset with her but was merely teasing to get Zelda to seduce her, Zelda clutched her chest and laughed nervously. Angling her legs upwards, Lilith tipped her nearer in against her chest.

“What can I do to make it up to you?” Zelda whispered.

Turning her head to the side, Lilith hummed. “Hmm, let me see…right off the top of my head, I’m still hungry…”

“Can I get you some-” Zelda stopped.

The meaningful look Lilith gave her was enough to make her shiver. “Oh.” A sudden knowing smile crossed Zelda’s lips.

“I must admit when you invited me over for dinner, I was hoping at least one of the courses would be you.”

Zelda blushed immediately, which only spurred Lilith on. “That colour really is my favourite,” she swept the back of her hand against Zelda’s cheek, “reminds me of champagne roses.” The shade seemed to flower across Zelda’s skin in a beautiful flurry.

“It’s been quite some time since somebody said anything like that to me,” Zelda confessed. She seemed to regret her candour instantly as her breathing sped up and she looked away from the intensity of Lilith’s eyes.

“Too much?” Lilith asked softly, loosening her hold on the woman’s body.

“No,” Zelda swiftly responded. “No…I want more,” she shook her head slowly before leaning in to kiss Lilith again. This time Lilith traced over the outline of Zelda’s lips with her tongue at first. The smooth, baby soft texture of them making her want to take her time and taste every possible part of them. Gliding over her lips, Lilith’s tongue darted into Zelda’s mouth, eliciting a quiet moan from her. Then, Zelda’s fingers were getting lost in her hair, her hands cupping Lilith’s face and the kiss became rougher with Zelda involving her teeth and tongue and Lilith matching her enthusiasm. The wet warmth was intoxicating, and Lilith’s mind ran riot imagining how wet Zelda was in other places. She wanted to find out. To taste her properly and to feel her. Panting, she pressed her lips to Zelda’s throat and kissed her way around to her earlobe. There, beneath the skin, Lilith could feel blood pumping through Zelda’s veins, her heart beating, thumping excitedly at what was about to happen.

“What do you want to do to me, Lilith?”

Lilith moved forward, lifting Zelda off her lap. Quickly she tidied the expensive looking dishware out of the way before turning back and beckoning Zelda closer.

“I want you to stand here, turn around and face me.” Lilith commanded. Obeying, Zelda watched her, waiting for her next order.

Walking closer, Lilith eyed her clothing. “This is really beautiful,” she commented, running her fingertips over Zelda’s dress. With a single flicker of her eyelids, she simply stated, “Take it off.”

Zelda reached around and unzipped herself, peeling the dress from her body. Lilith watched her, her pupils dilating as each patch of skin was revealed to her. The dress pooled at Zelda’s feet and she paused patiently.

“Step out of it but leave the heels on.” Lilith’s voice was cool, calm and carried a hint of devilish mischief to it. Zelda did as she was told, quivering with exhilaration. The air hit her skin, leaving goosebumps that caused her to shiver, an involuntary movement that was heightened by Lilith gazing at her with unrestrained, primitive desire.

“I hope that table’s sturdy. You’ll need to hold onto it for this,” Lilith warned, her eyes dripping with a wolf-like hunger. Dropping to her knees, she nudged Zelda’s legs a little apart and began kissing her navel and rolling her underwear down her things. Zelda’s breathing became heavier with every kiss Lilith laid upon her skin, every gentle graze of her fingertips against her thigh until Zelda was shaking in anticipation. As she peeled the underwear down, Lilith hummed in an utterly unbridled manner. “Oh my…” The evidence of how aroused Zelda was lay in the middle of the damp material and the scent was delicious. When Lilith reached her ankles, she brought her hand to the back of Zelda’s right knee, encouraging her to lift the foot off the ground. Zelda did so and Lilith carefully set the foot back down once she had swept the panties out of the way before switching to the other leg. Moving back, Lilith ensured Zelda was holding onto the table and made eye contact with her. The blush in her cheeks was reddening as she tried to steady herself, unable to take her eyes of Lilith and her astonishingly frosty blue eyes.

“Hold on tight, like a good girl.”

Zelda stifled a moan and gripped the table. With that, Lilith spread Zelda’s legs wider and gently set her hand over her vulva, lifting the labia that glistened with her essence. Slowly, she licked from back to front with the flat of her tongue, pressing into Zelda’s hot, palpitating sex as she went.

“Oh god! Oh….” Zelda cried out, her moans growing louder with each languorous lick from Lilith.

Her tongue teased Zelda’s clitoris, which was now swollen and tight, pulsating with millions of tiny nerve endings that were being treated to the warm, wet deluge of Lilith’s talents. Her thumb slid over Zelda’s hood and she began simultaneously licking and rubbing her, feeling Zelda’s thighs tense and quiver around her.

“Oh fuck, yes, yes, don’t stop!”

It was unbelievable how good Zelda tasted and how plentiful it was. Lilith continued licking out her arousal, allowing it to sit on her tongue as she played with her more before swallowing it, only to find that there was another flood waiting for her.

“My, my Zelda. You seem to be positively drenched…”

“God, Lilith…don’t stop!”

She wouldn’t. She couldn’t, even if she had wanted to. The response was inebriating and the taste even more so. Lilith felt as though she was consuming the most powerful drug known to man and she almost pitied whoever Zelda’s former marriage partner had been for not knowing this gratification. Greedily, she sucked and licked and mouthed the tender flesh that was oozing this ambrosial elixir from Zelda’s sex.

“Tell me…are you this wet for me?”

“Oh fuck, Ohhhh…Lilith don’t tease me!”

Lilith continued her ministrations and then rather infuriatingly, she paused and asked, “Do you want me to stop?”

“No! Oh god, please don’t stop…please…please…” Zelda whined, pressing herself against Lilith’s mouth.

Biting her lip with a wicked grin, Lilith snarled and sank her teeth and tongue gently into Zelda’s slick folds. Losing herself in it, Lilith closed her eyes and listened to the highly erotic moans she was causing.

“Mmmm, ohhhh…”

Zelda was getting louder. Lilith opened her eyes to look up at her and the vision that greeted her was a sight for sore eyes. With her head thrown back, hair flung onto one shoulder, her eyes closed, immersed in pleasure, Zelda looked like an angel who had fallen from grace, tempted by the devil to know the pleasures of the flesh. She was biting her lip to keep from crying out in reckless abandon, her knuckles were white from squeezing her fingers around the edge of the table.

Grasping her by the thighs, Lilith teased the entrance to her sex with the tip of her tongue. Zelda growled in a low, bestial tone. Their eyes locked with Zelda giving her a pleading look. With that, Lilith slipped her tongue inside her sex and Zelda keened loudly, her satisfaction echoing around the high ceilings. Lilith moaned against her, she had found the thoroughly drenched, heaving walls of Zelda’s inner sanctum. The rough, textured inner lining that rubbed coarsely against her tongue felt incredible. The second she touched against it, Zelda began to groan even louder, and Lilith knew she had her. She wanted to make her scream, to be the reason Zelda had the most intense orgasm of her life. She began firmly stroking her inner walls with her tongue and lightly tickling the inside of Zelda’s thighs so she wouldn’t be able to resist by tensing. Zelda’s body shuddered above her.

“Lilith, fucking hell…please….please…don’t stop!”

The sound of her voice so unhinged and carnal was totally in contrast to the composed, sophisticated woman who had dazzled her at first sight. Yet, this was how Lilith wanted Zelda. Like this, completely enraptured, free and so close to crying out uncontrollably.

“Ohhh, oh god, more…more,”

Zelda’s fingers were buried in her hair and she hitched her hips lower to direct Lilith’s tongue where she needed it. Unrelenting, Lilith pushed her tongue against her pithy walls, again and again. Releasing one hand, she rubbed Zelda’s clit between her thumb and forefinger, causing an earth-shattering cry to erupt from Zelda.

“Fuck, yes, right there….Christ, Lilith!”

She was coming and the onslaught of juicy essence that was pouring into Lilith’s mouth seemed to come as a surprise to Zelda. She let out a whimper of shock, but Lilith quickly soothed her with her lips and stroked her thigh with her hand.

“It’s alright, you’re ok. Let it come,” she whispered.

Zelda panted, losing her breath as another shock of wetness and ecstasy coursed through her. Her arms and thighs shook violently, but the reassuring sensation of Lilith’s hand told her she was fine. Still not done with her, Lilith applied firmer pressure to her clit using the flat of her tongue and Zelda doubled over.

“I can’t…it’s too sensitive,” she gasped.

Lilith eased her mouth off of her. “Alright,” she whispered, “hold onto me.” Clumsily, she draped her arms around the strong shoulders as Lilith helped her down to the ground and gathered Zelda to her.

“Oh my god…” Zelda panted in disbelief, her limbs trembling as the aftershock travelled through her body. Lilith settled her head in against the crook of her neck and began combing Zelda’s hair. Planting a tender kiss on Zelda’s forehead, she heard her whimper. Whether it was from the intimacy or the loss of contact, she wasn’t sure, but one thing was certain; something bigger had changed between them. Little by little, Zelda’s strength returned, and she firmed her grip on Lilith. Lifting her head, she found Lilith watching her with a caring look. She was searching Zelda’s face for signs that she was content.

“How do you feel?” she asked.

Zelda sighed the remainder of her orgasm out before answering. “I…I’m speechless.”

Lilith chuckled. “Is that a compliment?”

She waited for Zelda to laugh, but it didn’t come. Instead, Zelda was staring at her with something that looked like tenderness mixed with hunger and awe.

“Where did you learn to do that so well?” Zelda eventually mustered.

Grinning broadly, Lilith ran her thumb across the woman’s lips. “When the reward is getting to see you come undone and look like that, it’s amazing what a girl can do.”

Zelda laughed then, but the same look returned to her face. When she moved closer and kissed Lilith repeatedly, they started to clamber up off the floor and Zelda caught her lower lip with her teeth. “Come to bed, I’m not done with you.”

“Oh really?” Lilith teased, feeling herself grow more aroused by the taste of Zelda’s mouth mixed with the taste of her sex still fresh on her tongue.

“Mm, this way…” Zelda, who was naked except for heels and her bra, took Lilith’s hand and led her out into the hallway and up the flight of stairs. The bed was dressed in fresh sheets. Dark purple covers made of Egyptian cotton that looked crisp and new. Lilith purred, “Zelda, how did you know purple is one of my favourite colours?”

Zelda turned on the lamps that were on either side of the bed and walked to the window where she pulled the curtains closed. Looking over her shoulder, she hummed, “I knew you had impeccable taste the moment I laid eyes on you. Purple is the colour of royalty and power, why wouldn’t you like it?”

Lilith felt her insides tremble. Zelda thought she had great taste. This woman who could give any Parisian fashion house a run for their money. She associated the colour of nobility with her too and even scantily clad, Zelda looked chicer and more elegant than anyone Lilith had ever known.

Zelda moved behind her, slithering her arms around Lilith’s waist, she began kissing her neck and scooping her long, dark waves out of the way.

Reaching up, she dragged the zip on the back of Lilith’s dress down slowly, tracing her fingertips along every inch of newly exposed skin. It sent a shiver down Lilith’s spine and she purred huskily at the sensation. The wetness between her legs was warm and runny, making her feel more vulnerable than she would have liked. Zelda’s fingers were soft yet firm and Lilith yearned to feel them inside her, touching her, provoking her to unleash all the feelings that were threatening to spill out. But she couldn’t do that. She couldn’t be that weak in front of this woman.

Zelda peeled the dress off her, rolling the material down her arms, off her chest and down over her belly. Appreciative noises came forth from Zelda, admiring what she saw. When the dress was discarded to one side, Lilith spun around to face her. Zelda pulled her in, sweeping her arms around Lilith’s shoulders, knitting her fingers through the mane of raven-dark waves and curls as she kissed her passionately. It was delectable to be in the luxury of a house they had entirely to themselves and be able to stand half naked, in the warmth of this embrace. Zelda was shepherding her over to the bed and Lilith moved compliantly, wanting, needing to feel this woman do things to her that she hadn’t done with anyone.

“Lie down for me…” Zelda motioned towards the surface of the covers. Perching herself on the bed, Lilith leaned back to get a better view as Zelda undid the clasp of her bra and slid it off and away from her. Clambering on top of Lilith, she breathed heavily, “You’re not lying down.” “No,” Lilith grinned, “I’m not. What are you going to do? Make me?” Giving a cheeky toss of her hair, she batted her eyelids haughtily.

In response, Zelda hitched her own hips up a little and shimmied them to the left so her sex was pressed against Lilith’s thigh. Even in her most playful mood, Lilith couldn’t hide how incredible Zelda felt. Earlier, being inside her properly had made her even more ravenous and the taste of her…god, thinking about the episode in the dining room made a fresh deluge of wetness spring forth and dampen Lilith’s panties.

“You have no idea what I’m capable of,” Zelda chirped, “now lie down before I lose my patience and have to teach you a lesson.”

Resisting her, Lilith arched her chest forward and slid her bra straps off her shoulders. “I should warn you; I’ve never been one to take orders…lying down.”

“Oh,” Zelda growled, “just for that I’m not giving you what you want until you apologise.”

A hearty laugh rang out from Lilith’s throat. “Me? Apologise? Zelda, dearest, I think you’ll find you’re already giving me everything I want.” As she emphasised the word everything, Lilith rolled her eyes to heaven in exaggeration and suggestively bounced Zelda on her thigh.

“Oh, everything…should I stop?” Zelda went to lift herself off Lilith’s thigh until she felt her strong hands clamping her bare ass and securing her back in place. “No, stay right where you are.” Biting her lip she admitted, “I want to watch you while you touch me.”

Unfazed, Zelda bent forward and surrounded Lilith’s face with her hands, kissing her more fervently this time. Slowly, her hands drifted down Lilith’s neck to her chest where her ample bosoms sat ripe and plump, encased in a balconette bra that sparkled in the centre. Zelda’s hands glided over the Swarovski crystal that studded the material on her breastbone and down the soft expanse of her belly. Lilith’s lips were still enmeshed with hers and neither of them could stop. It was as if they hadn’t seen each other in months and were making up for lost time. Zelda slipped her hand under the silken fabric and found Lilith hadn’t really exaggerated at all. Her underwear was soaked and her reaction to Zelda’s touch was a sight to behold. Throwing her head back, Lilith moaned without restraint. She tried to push herself onto Zelda’s fingers, but the woman was teasing her mercilessly, stroking her slippery folds and the entrance to her cunt but pulling away when she felt Lilith move.

“Ah, ah!” Zelda taunted. Pouting, Lilith agreed to behave, at least for the moment. Sinking down onto her back, she reached underneath and unhooked her bra. Leaving it undone but covering her breasts, she watched as Zelda brushed her lips against her abdomen, tiny ripples of pleasure running along her sternum. Moving upwards, Zelda seized the bra with her teeth whilst still working Lilith’s labia with her fingers. Tossing the bra away, she mouthed one nipple and caressed the other with her free hand. Lilith entwined her legs around Zelda’s waist, her moans becoming louder as Zelda started to focus on stimulating her clit between finger and thumb.

“Mmmm, yesss,” she hissed, feeling Zelda’s teeth and tongue encircling her nipples one at a time. Both nipples were tight and hard from a combination of the slight chill in the room and arousal at being worshipped this way. She felt the heat from Zelda’s mouth cover her areola and the underside of her breasts, down along her ribcage, her navel and fondling her hips before Zelda began kissing over the mound where her fingers were working.

Lilith was already breathless. She spread her legs, balancing the edge of her heels on the side of the bed as she felt Zelda slide down her body until a gentle thus indicated her knees had reached the floor. Slipping her arms under Lilith’s strong thighs, Zelda placed soft kisses along her inner thighs to prepare her for the next part. Lilith could feel her watching her every move. There was something incredibly revealing about the chemistry between them. Every time they had been intimate thus far, it felt like another layer had been peeled away. Truthfully, Lilith felt exposed and not just because she was naked. There was something inside her that was on show for Zelda and Zelda alone. This idea was running through her head when all of a sudden, she felt the length of Zelda’s tongue dance along her vulva, slowly and purposefully. Jarred by the pleasure, Lilith’s legs shook involuntarily. She was grounded by Zelda’s hands rubbing the firm muscles of her calves and thighs.

Then Zelda’s tongue lapped at her clit in soft strokes, like butterfly wings, eliciting a sharper cry.

“Ohh…oh god…”

At the precise moment that Lilith looked down, Zelda looked up and their eyes locked just as Zelda slid two fingers past the entrance to her cunt and deep inside her. The intensity of the stare caught Lilith off guard, and she whined hoarsely. Inside her, Zelda was allowing her fingers to sink in, as though they were absorbing every detail of Lilith’s sex; how she felt, how wet she was, how hot she was and how badly she wanted this. Zelda picked up the pace, fingering her smoothly and working her clit with her tongue and teeth. The lust in her eyes made Zelda look like some sort of beautiful she-wolf who had found succour and satiety. Lilith couldn’t take her eyes off her, but she also found the growing closeness unsettling. She wasn’t used to it and it felt like Zelda wasn’t either. In this moment however, they both seemed to overcome it.

Slanting her fingers towards the inner wall of Lilith’s sex, Zelda began moving faster. The rhythm was working, Lilith could feel the sparks tingling around the base of her spine and in her belly. Zelda saw her tummy muscles twitch and listened intently.

“Oh Zelda…fuck yes…harder…”

Obligingly, Zelda pumped her fingers faster in and out and in and out. Her tongue added more moisture to Lilith’s tightening nub, which she tugged on firmly with her teeth.

“Ahhh! Mmmm, again…oh god, do it again!”

This time, it was harder, as Lilith wanted and she wailed just as hard at the sensation.

“Again, please….again!”

Zelda gave her what she wanted, as well as a long, languorous lick that ensured her clit was just as soothed as it was tugged. Her tongue slipped through the slick wet folds until she came to the entrance and heard a gorgeous sigh of desire from Lilith. Tempting her with her tongue, Zelda waited and watched.

“Let me hear you say it…”

Lilith was writhing and unable to say much. Frustration was pent up inside her and this was her chance to really let it go. Forcing herself to speak, she groaned, “Fuck me with your tongue…”

With that, Zelda scissored her fingers apart inside Lilith’s vagina and wriggled her tongue in the middle. Squirming, Lilith gasped for air. Zelda was still stroking her and fucking her relentlessly with her tongue. It was like being fucked with a dildo that moulded to every single curve of her body and Lilith’s limbs flailed uncontrollably as Zelda hit off several points that sent her over the edge.

“Oh, god yes! Ahhh, yes!”

Endorphins rushed through her body, blood colouring her skin as she thrashed to the rhythm of Zelda’s tongue and fingers. As the orgasm coursed through her and hit her chest, she roared in a beautiful outpour of pleasure that caused Zelda to slow down. The comedown would need to be slow and steady and Zelda was already watching to make sure she was alright. Carefully, she slid her fingers out of Lilith and continued licking and lapping her way out of her. Panting, Lilith reached for her and as soon as Zelda moved up to meet her, their mouths crashed together in a needy, wanton kiss. Heaving as she plundered Zelda’s mouth, Lilith felt like she could cry and, in her desperation to not let the woman find out she kissed her more forcefully. She couldn’t break down in front of Zelda. She just couldn’t. Even if it was clawing at her that she was feeling things she didn’t understand, she couldn’t. Not when Zelda was in the midst of a big career and life change and Lilith herself was unsure of her future. Especially not when the woman had just seen her lose her senses again. No, Lilith couldn’t let herself be that open to pain.

“Lilith?”

Zelda was lifting away strands of her hair that had fallen and were covering her face. “What’s the matter?” It was too late. She had felt the wetness from the tears that Lilith hadn’t been able to suppress. “Nothing,” she denied. Kissing Zelda again, she tried to regain the sultry composure she had when she arrived, but it had left her. Suddenly, she felt Zelda move away and without warning she whimpered like a lost child. Startled, Zelda looked at her in the dim light. “I was just going to pull the covers back so you can get under,” she said softly. Her voice was concerned, and Lilith didn’t know what else to do, so she climbed under the duvet. Zelda slipped in next to her and went to take her into her arms, but Lilith resisted. Propping herself up on one elbow, Zelda inquired:

“Lilith, what’s wrong?”

Closing her eyes, Lilith felt the urge to be very honest, which was terrifying given that she wasn’t exactly in a relationship with this woman.

“I…that’s the first time anyone’s made me orgasm…from oral,” she muttered quietly, the hot blush of embarrassment flooding her face.

“Oh.” Zelda absorbed the weight of this. “Well, I’m glad it was me,” she smiled.

Lilith forced a small laugh. She couldn’t help how scared she felt even though she didn’t understand why.

“Can I do anything?”

Lilith shook her head and took a deep breath. “No…I’m sorry, I-”

“Please don’t apologise. I’m glad you told me. It makes me feel better to be honest.”

Lilith looked up at her. “Better?”

Nodding, Zelda seemed to hesitate under the gaze of those glimmering ice blue eyes. “The first night when we went back to yours…um…that was the first time anyone made me come.”

Her eyes widened. “Really?”

“Yeah,” Zelda laughed nervously. “I know this will sound strange, but the second I saw you, I felt this…connection to you…and I haven’t felt that with anyone else. So, it was a surprise in one way, but also…not.”

Lilith stared at her in shock for several moments. “I…had no idea.”

“Well, I had no idea either. Everything about you screams that you know what you want, and you know how to get it. I’m shocked that you don’t have a litany of lovers waiting for you.”

It felt like Lilith’s heart was singing to her. They had shared something rare together and somehow it wasn’t awkward. In fact, she felt more at ease now knowing this. Softening, she realised just how rigid she had been only minutes before. A sudden exhaustion crept over her and she felt the need for sleep pull at her bones. Looking to Zelda, she saw a similar weariness fall over her face.

“Zelda?”

“Hmm?”

“Hold me.”

A happy smile crossed Zelda’s gorgeous features. Settling herself down onto the pillow, she extended her arms and cocooned Lilith in towards her. Planting a tender kiss on her forehead, she stroked her hair. Lilith nuzzled her face into Zelda’s chest, weaving her fingers in an interlace around her waist. For the first time in weeks, they both drifted off to sleep contentedly.

Notes:

An extra long chapter for you lovelies <3 I got a new job and things have been hectic as a result, so I got sidetracked. I really hope you enjoy and as always, I love hearing your thoughts and comments.

Chapter 10: X

Notes:

Hey, so it's been a while. Thank you for not yelling at me :D I started a new full-time job, but have been working on this chapter for a month and I hope you enjoy.

OneSmallFact asked me about visual references for the paintings and the wardrobe. Just in case anyone else is interested I'm posting it here too:

For the visual references, the paintings are similar in style to Harry Clarke's illustrations for books, except they're really colourful. He designed and painted stained glass windows in some of our churches here in Dublin, but his illustrations for Edgar Allan Poe's works are my favourite so that's what I was going for. In my head, Love Lock, the first painting Zelda bought, is very like Clarke's illustration called Another Moral of Cinderella, but with two female figures. The second painting is more like The Little Mermaid, also by Clarke. The palette would be more like the colours in Gustav Klimt's paintings; lots of gold and reds with an ethereal feel to them.

For the clothes I'm visualising similar items to what the characters wore in the show, such as the dark blue pantsuit with the white ruffled collar Zelda wore and the long leather coat Lilith wore when she meets Sabrina and Roz after cheerleading practice. Overall, Lilith's wardrobe is very much as it was in Season 4 when she calls to the Spellman house to bring Sabrina back to hell (black, figure hugging dress, heels). Zelda is a bit more Chanel-inspired in the wardrobe department than she was in the show (minus the cigarette) and is still very fond of leopard-print (bc sassy!)

Chapter Text

Morning light streamed in through the gap in the heavy curtains, dappling its rays across the bedsheets as it moved. The light fell across Lilith’s face, ushering her awake with its warmth. Squinting, Lilith turned her head away and saw Zelda lying with her eyes open next to her.

“Mmm, have you been watching me sleep?” Lilith narrowed her eyes to slits.

Zelda lay on her side, her arms folded up so that her hands were just under her pillow. “Yes,” she admitted. “Not for very long. Your snoring is adorable.”

Lilith started and saw Zelda break into a huge grin at her reaction.

“I do not snore.”

“You do. It’s very cute. Like a cat whose motor has been left running.”

Lilith regarded her ever increasing grin with mock contempt. “Oh really? Well, I guess I’ll just…be on my way…wouldn’t want to keep you from sleeping with my purring.” She sidled out of the covers, revealing her naked form as she sauntered around the bedroom collecting her clothes from the floor. Zelda bit her lip as Lilith bent over, showing off her perfectly formed ass. Fully aware of what she was doing, Lilith stood straight and draped the last item of clothing over her arm.

“Come here,” Zelda declared as she propped herself up on one elbow. Beckoning her, she smiled congenially until Lilith rolled her eyes and walked over.

Patting the empty space beside her, Zelda drawled, “Come back to bed.”

“Make me.”

“Alright.” With that, Zelda pulled the sheets back and seized the clothes in Lilith’s arms. Tucking them under her pillow, she pounced and wrapped her legs about Lilith’s thighs, kissing her with a determination that was as arousing as it was unexpected.

The laughter that ensued was enmeshed with the sound of their lips and tongues, loudly sucking, biting and probing each other. Zelda’s arms were tightly enveloped around Lilith’s shoulders, pressing her closer. Eventually, Lilith broke the kiss and sighed, “Well, if you want it that badly who am I to deprive you?” Before Zelda could retort, Lilith grabbed her around the backs of her knees and let her fall onto the mattress. Climbing on top of her, she straddled Zelda; whose face was becoming increasingly flushed and wanton. Cocking her head to one side, Lilith studied the woman’s features. She wanted to commit every detail in them to memory, but it was proving tricky when Zelda wouldn’t stop squirming excitedly below her.

“Hmm, I don’t know…maybe you don’t want me at all…” she teased, pouting as she went to extricate herself.

Bucking her thighs upwards, Zelda pushed Lilith back on top of her. “If you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay right where you are,” Zelda commanded in a tone Lilith wasn’t used to hearing from her.

“If I know what’s good for me? Pray tell, Zelda, what would you do to me if I didn’t?”

Lilith watched Zelda’s eyes darken with desire, her pupils growing larger and her face flushing.

“Oh…” Lilith said quietly, “And here I thought you’d been making such wonderful progress with telling me what you wanted.” At this she pouted again, but when her eyes returned to scan Zelda’s face, she saw the woman look almost shyly at her.

Lowering her eyelids, Zelda visibly struggled with the words. “If I tell you, will you come back to bed?”

“I just might. Depends on what you tell me.”

Leaning forward, Lilith pressed her upper arms in against her sides so that her breasts were pushed forward and up, appearing larger and even more seductive. She was going to tease the hell out of Zelda if it meant she would give in and express herself.

Zelda was nervous, Lilith could feel her trying to bury herself in the covers beneath them.

“I want more of what we did last night,” Zelda uttered, still looking down.

“Remind me, what did we do last night?” Lilith asked, flicking her head to one side so her hair cascaded over her shoulder.

Zelda still looked nervous, her teeth clasping her lower lip as she exhaled raggedly. “You know what we did, Lilith…”

“Yes, but I want you to say it. Mm, I need you to say it.” Lilith began rocking her hips slowly over Zelda’s so that her sex was rubbing against her groin. Zelda’s lips parted; her gaze fixed on Lilith’s undulating hips. Looking up at her, the redhead gasped.

“I want your mouth on me…”

At this, Lilith sank down, her lips landing on Zelda’s collarbone. “Keep going,” she urged, planting featherlight kisses on the woman’s skin as she went.

Zelda shook a little with each kiss, the contact was so gentle it made her shiver. “All over me,” she continued. “I want your lips, your tongue…your teeth, ahhhh!” Lilith had taken her nipple between her teeth and tugged it. A rush of blood to the spot painted a beautiful mosaic before Lilith’s eyes. Zelda’s areolas were already a soft pink and the surge of blood to one made the other look pale and lonely by comparison. So naturally, Lilith seized it and tugged hard.

“Ohhhhh…”

Her tongue began circling around the areola and nipple to soothe it, and in the process Lilith heard the moans from Zelda get softer.

“I love the sounds you make,” Lilith growled. A throaty exhale shuddered out of Zelda’s mouth, her heart thumping in her ribcage. When Lilith ran the tip of her tongue in between Zelda’s ribs, she could feel it. The powerful lifeforce that was letting her know Zelda was rapidly losing control.

As she continued kissing down Zelda’s sternum and belly, she felt Zelda’s fingers entwine in her hair. Reaching her pubic mound, Lilith lifted her head. Zelda was panting, her hair spread out on the bed in disarray as she twisted to get Lilith closer to her.

“Do you want me, Zelda?”

The question was quiet, though her voice dripped with honey. In saying it, she watched as Zelda seemed to tremble in response.

 “Yes.”

Zelda had lifted her head, looking down at Lilith.

“Watch me…” Lilith whispered, and she saw Zelda inhale sharply at the instruction.

Placing one hand on Zelda’s hip, Lilith held it steady as she scooped her other arm under the opposite leg. With her thumb, she lifted the hood of Zelda’s clitoris and sighed happily as she was presented with the sight of the woman’s glistening folds. Flickering her eyes back up to Zelda’s, she asked, “Is that all for me?”

“Yes,” Zelda managed, her voice thick and needy. The tips of Lilith’s fingers dabbed at the wetness which she brought to her lips.

“Mm, beautiful.”

Zelda smiled and flushed more when she felt Lilith’s fingertips brush against her again. Lilith leaned up towards her and whispered, “Taste yourself…” planting her fingertips on Zelda’s tongue. In response, Zelda opened her mouth wider and gripped the fingers with her teeth until her lips reached past the knuckles and she started to suck her essence off Lilith’s fingers. It was so hot Lilith almost couldn’t take it. She wanted to grab Zelda and kiss her and make everything stop just for them, but she couldn’t. What if it was too much and Zelda recoiled from her? It had only been just over a month since they met, and there was still so much they didn’t know about each other, except in bed. Before she could overthink it, Lilith crawled back down in between Zelda’s thighs and applied her tongue to the sensitive flesh in a long lick from back to front. Her hands found Zelda’s hips as they lifted off the bed in spasm and she settled them down.

“Ohhh, Lilith…”

The sound encouraged Lilith to delve in between the slick wet labia with her tongue. Using the flat of her tongue at first to sweep slowly across the vulva, Lilith found the slower she went made Zelda shake just enough that it would warm her up. The last thing she wanted was to exhaust either of them before the final showdown, so Lilith paced herself with steady laps of her tongue, savouring the delicacy that washed over her taste buds.

Zelda tasted sweet with just a hint of sharpness that reminded Lilith of honeydew melon and grapefruit combined. As her tongue lapped up the goodness that coated Zelda’s delicate skin, Lilith prodded the entrance to her sex gently. Zelda groaned, setting her legs wider apart.

“Lilith, I want you inside me…” she panted. Lilith pressed her tongue past the entrance, enjoying every second of hearing Zelda moan and feeling her palpitate around her. A loud whine fell from Zelda as her hips jerked wildly.

“Yes, just like that…god, don’t stop…please..”

Lilith’s tongue moved further in, stroking the firm walls that pulsated with passion. At the crux of Zelda’s cunt was a stronger taste that was both musky and floral. Lilith wanted more of it, her tongue plundering the depths surrounding her for all she could take. Her eyes opened and she caught sight of Zelda who was unable to look away at the sight of being ravaged by this woman. Carefully, Lilith slid her thumb over Zelda’s clit and heard the distinct sound that she now recognised as the beginning of the spiral. Zelda was whining and keening louder and louder at each stroke of Lilith’s tongue. Catching Zelda’s clit with the centre of her thumb, Lilith began rolling it in time with each lick she applied to Zelda’s walls.

“Lilith…” she hissed. Lilith felt Zelda’s hand grabbing onto hers and she locked eyes with her. Zelda’s cheeks were red, stray strands of her hair clung to her face, matted with sweat. She threaded her fingers in between Lilith’s and gripped her tightly. Her breath was catching in her chest and Lilith prayed that she wouldn’t look away now.

“Ohhh god…pl-please…” Zelda’s eyes closed briefly as extreme pangs of pleasure travelled up her spine and her back arched up from the bed. Then she opened them again, her eyeline rooted in Lilith’s icy blue gaze that seemed to reassure her she was fine. Lilith picked up the pace with her thumb and tongue, finding a speed that elicited a gorgeous cry and the coarse side of one wall that she felt was more than likely where Zelda’s G-spot lay. She wanted desperately to find it, knowing that she could give Zelda an experience she’d never had before, and she wanted more than anything to be the one who did that for her.

“Uhhh, oh god…oh, Lilith, yes!” Zelda’s eyes slammed shut, her mouth dropping open as she cried out and shuddered violently, squeezing herself around Lilith’s fingers. She wasn’t done yet and Lilith knew it.

“Lilith…I need you,” came the hoarse whisper. Startled, Lilith looked up at her and felt Zelda tugging her arm. “Please…” she begged, her eyes searching Lilith’s. Heeding the urgency in her tone, Lilith pushed herself forward, her tongue sliding out of Zelda who sat up and immediately drew Lilith into her arms and kissed her. Zelda’s breathing was frantic, but she kissed Lilith as though she was oxygen, their tongues melding and Zelda feeling the residue of her essence still bathing the woman’s tongue.

Lilith felt her wrap her legs around her waist and slowly start to grind against her. Leaning into the crook of Lilith’s neck Zelda whispered, “Fuck me gently…I need it.” Lilith ran her fingers through Zelda’s hair, smoothing it away from her forehead and planting a gentle kiss on her temple. She felt Zelda quake as she drew her fingers down in between her breasts and along her belly. Tenderly, she rubbed the highly sensitive clit that was still in need of her attention. Zelda gasped and buried her face in Lilith’s long hair.

“Shh…” Lilith held her tight. “You feel amazing, Zelda.” Slowly, her fingers drifted down to stroke her sex. Zelda moaned into her hair, her teeth grazing Lilith’s shoulder. “Oh god!” Then, Lilith sank her first two fingers in gradually, her thumb lingering over the swollen nub. Zelda whimpered, her lips caressing Lilith’s earlobe, “Tell me you want me…”

“I want you, Zelda,” her fingertips glided in and out slowly, easily. Zelda groaned, her body shaking. The wetness was incredible, Lilith never wanted to stop. Each time she glided inside of her, Lilith could feel her becoming slicker and hotter.

Swallowing hard, Zelda whimpered again, “Tell me you need me…”

A mild panic passed through Lilith. Was this headed where she felt it was headed? Part of her wanted it to. “I need you, Zelda…” her lips brushing and caressing the woman’s soft skin. Then Zelda’s fingers were working Lilith’s clit and sliding inside her. Lilith gasped, her hips thrusting forward involuntarily at the sensation. Quickly, Lilith did the same to her and before long they were oscillating over each other’s hips and thighs, fingers sinking further into the silken core. With their tongues dancing they drank from one another’s lips until both women were moaning into the other’s mouth. They moved faster and faster until it became too much; Lilith could feel the swell in her low belly shoot up through her chest and she couldn’t hold it in. Tearing her lips from Zelda suddenly, she threw her head back as her muscles clamped tightly around Zelda’s fingers and she shrieked into the ether. Zelda caught her, but not before she too was thrown mercilessly across the brink into orgasm. Her entire body rattled as though it was trapped in a vice and she cried out as her mouth descended on Lilith’s shoulder, her teeth setting against the skin.

Blinking rapidly, Lilith’s chest heaved with the enormous release. As she slid out of Zelda’s sex, the friction of her fingers brushing off the swollen clitoris made Zelda double over further.

“Sorry,” Lilith breathed heavily, “I didn’t mean to-”

Zelda was shaking, but she laughed lightly. “It’s ok, just really sensitive…oh god.” The sound of her laugh rang through the air like the gentle peel of church bells. With their limbs still entwined, both women leaned their foreheads against each other.

Zelda chuckled at the sound of Lilith’s tummy rumbling. “Would you like some breakfast? I can make us bacon and eggs” she offered.

“Yes, please.” Shifting onto the edge of the bed, Lilith waited and watched as Zelda slipped on a dressing gown and handed a fleece one to her. “Come on,” Zelda smiled, taking her hand and leading her down to the kitchen.

The dishes from the previous night lay on the table and Zelda grimaced at the sight of them. Lilith began stacking them on top of each other, “Two pairs of hands are better than one,” she smiled, making her way to the sink.

“Hmm, you must think me a dreadful hostess,” Zelda muttered, “normally I wouldn’t allow a guest to help me wash up, but you did rather distract me from that part of the evening.”

“Me?” Lilith batted her eyelashes innocently. “If memory serves, you were the one who distracted me!” She went to run the hot water when Zelda opened what looked like a cabinet door to reveal a dishwasher.

“Ah,” Lilith exclaimed, “you really are full of surprises.”

“I think you’ll find I’m somewhat boring and predictable, Lilith. I wouldn’t want to excite your anticipation.” Pottering about with food from the pantry, Zelda produced a variety of luscious, ripe fruits and carried them over to the table. Lilith’s brow knitted together. What an odd thing to say. Glancing over at her, she saw Zelda arranging the fruit carefully, looking lost in thought. Lilith stacked the remaining dishes in the dishwasher and realised the tablets for it were nowhere in sight.

Zelda had her back to her. She looked more than lovely when she wasn’t focused on presenting herself a certain way. Spinning around she announced, “Now, would you like coffee or tea? Don’t worry about the dishwasher, I’ll put it on after breakfast.” Lightly, she patted Lilith’s arm, eliciting a bright smile from her. Then, Zelda was drawing her in by the lapels of the dressing gown and their lips were meshing again. It started off hot, hungry and wet and eased into a softer, gentler meeting of mouths and tongues. It was beginning to feel like Zelda really wanted her here. Like she didn’t want her to leave. Lilith quickly told herself not to get her hopes up. The taste of Zelda’s mouth, however, was making her hungry for more than just breakfast.

Breaking the kiss gently, Zelda murmured, “I need to refuel,” with a large smile she hugged Lilith tightly and kissed her shoulder. At the same time, Lilith kissed Zelda’s head, inhaling the scent of her hair deeply. Notes of jasmine and vanilla filled her nostrils and she closed her eyes, soaking up the fragrance.

Once Zelda began cooking the bacon and eggs and Lilith made the coffee for herself and the tea for Zelda, they got talking. It was the same easy, light conversation that had marked their first night out. It occurred to Lilith that she didn’t know whether that had been a date. Where any of these…get togethers what one would call a date? It hadn’t been discussed and there was no indication that Zelda was edging closer to bringing it up. For now, Lilith believed it was best to go with the flow and see how things went. There was no rush and no point in making the situation unnecessarily awkward. Not when it was going so well at any rate.

They ate and chatted and ate some more. When Lilith had finished her breakfast, she set her cutlery and plate to one side. Zelda was skimming over the headlines in a newspaper that had been lodged in the letterbox at the front door when they came down.

“Are you doing anything nice today?” Lilith asked.

Looking up, Zelda appeared to be caught off guard by the question. “Not especially. How about you?”

It seemed like she was shirking away from the question on purpose and for a moment Lilith felt as though she had missed something.

“Nothing that demands my immediate attention,” she replied in an equally evasive manner.

The two women exchanged glances and Lilith disliked the knowing look she saw. It was so unlike the Zelda she had felt close to earlier. Maybe she was imagining that closeness. Perhaps she was so lonely that she had seen only what she wanted to see and not what was staring her in the face right now; a cold, almost clinical look. As she went to excuse herself from the table, Zelda reached one hand across to her. Examining her outstretched palm, Lilith looked up into her shimmering grey-blue eyes. Whatever feeling or emotion had flitted through Zelda’s mind moments before wasn’t there now. Instead she looked at Lilith warmly and with concern. Slowly, Lilith put her hand into Zelda’s, feeling the woman’s warm fingers close around her own.

“Would you like some dessert?” Zelda asked after a few moments had passed. “We uh, we didn’t quite get to dessert last night.”

Raising her eyebrows, Lilith said, “Well, not to sound over the top about it, but I did think you were dessert. And you didn’t disappoint.”

Zelda’s smile grew larger. “It was…amazing.”

“You’re welcome.” Lilith replied swiftly and smugly.

“You are obscenely arrogant about your prowess, but I can’t argue with it.” Zelda admitted.

“No, you certainly can’t.”

“But you’ve put me in a rather awkward position now…” Zelda countered. Lilith looked to her in confusion. “How so?”

Bringing her other hand towards Lilith’s face, Zelda crooned, “Well, now I can’t very well let you stay over without making sure I give as good as I get,” she curled some of Lilith’s exquisite, long dark hair around her finger as she spoke, “and I do so intend on getting more of that over the weekend.”

Lilith’s jaw dropped and her brow cocked itself half an inch, “Over the weekend?”

“Yes, I wanted to ask you yesterday, but I… wasn’t sure if it was appropriate. Would you be free to stay for the weekend?”

Stunned into silence, Lilith considered it. She hadn’t expected this, nor had she packed for it. Then again, it didn’t seem like clothing was necessary if she understood Zelda correctly.

“I won’t be offended if you say no-”

“I’d love to,” Lilith replied, “if you’re sure?”

“I am” Zelda responded without hesitation and bringing her hands to frame Lilith’s face, she kissed her. “I’m very sure.” 

“Well then, what are my options for dessert?” Lilith leaned into Zelda’s hands, kissing them softly all the while maintaining eye contact.

“I did go to the trouble of making meringue if you’re serious,” Zelda gestured towards the countertop where a picturesque meringue sat bedecked with fresh fruit under a crystal cake dome. “And if you truly want to relax it’s the best thing for it. If I do say so myself.”

At this Lilith grinned. “How can I refuse?”

Taking her by the hand, Zelda helped Lilith up. She cut two generous slices and set them into bowls. “Let’s move to the sitting room, it’s more comfortable,” she said, leading the way.

Lilith watched her sashay her way ahead of her. The weekend horizons suddenly seemed to expand considerably before her. Seating themselves in the plush sitting room, Lilith immediately saw the first painting Zelda had bought from her hanging on the wall over Zelda’s head.

“Ah, you found a place for Love Lock!” she exclaimed.

Zelda turned to admire it. “Yes, what do you think?”

Oh, many things, Lilith scolded herself internally. Perhaps it would be best to just come clean, she thought.

“It’s wonderful to see it there. You have a great eye for placement and colours.”

“Thank you,” Zelda smiled knowingly. “I wonder do you know if DeLacy will be in the gallery any time soon. I’d love to meet her.”

She looked a little embarrassed at asking and the silence she was met with made it worse. Startled, Lilith tried to think on her feet. “Well, um…that’s actually-”

Zelda slammed her eyes shut in mortification. “I-I’m sorry, Lilith, I shouldn’t have asked that. How impetuous. She probably doesn’t want to be bothered and you have enough to contend with in the gallery,” Zelda shook her head at her own thoughtlessness before adding, “forgive me, I should have thought before I spoke.”

A pang of guilt struck Lilith hard. She was afraid Zelda would be angry if she found out the truth and that she would look for her money back. That money was vital if she was to lose her job, or if something unexpected were to happen. No, she couldn’t take that chance. Not now. Maybe when things picked up. Zelda’s cheeks were still coloured scarlet over her request and Lilith decided a white lie was for the best.

“Let me see how things go. We’re in a bit of a pickle currently, and I’m not 100% sure about the gallery’s future right now.” Munching on the meringue, she made a sound of delight and exclaimed, “This is delicious, Zelda.”

Alarmed, Zelda asked, “A pickle? What do you mean?”

Lilith looked up to see Zelda leaning forward in concern. Sighing, Lilith ruminated over how much to tell her. “We’re struggling to make enough money; it’s been the case for a while, although I didn’t know it was such an issue until yesterday morning. I spent most of yesterday working on event planning because we need to inject a significant amount of money into the business to stay afloat.”

“Dear Lord, Lilith why didn’t you say something earlier?”

If Lilith hadn’t known better, she could swear Zelda was angry with her. It surprised Lilith that she was this taken aback. “Why would I have mentioned it before now?” she asked.

“Because it’s an enormous burden to shoulder. I hope your employer has promised to look after you.”

It was a statement rather than a question. Something about the way Zelda said it made Lilith feel foolish. She wasn’t going to be protected in the slightest and deep down she knew it but couldn’t face the reality. When she said nothing, she heard Zelda mutter “Oh…” as she realised that there was more to it. “And what’s this event you have planned?”

Looking down at her lap, Lilith wanted nothing more than to disappear as she heard herself say out loud, “A gala where local artists can meet the public and other more established artists to network and hopefully give us some more traction. There’s a lot to do, a lot of small details to take care of. The news was sprung on me rather last minute, so finding a venue we can afford is proving tricky.”

Zelda furrowed her brows, “It seems very unfair for this to fall to you. Is your employer contributing to this plan?”

“He says he will, which is a turn up for the books. Normally he stays away from the actual running of the business and is only interested in the profit we make.”

“Like most men, money rules them,” Zelda scowled.

Truthfully, Lilith loved money, which is often the case for those who are not used to having it. Not wanting this to be obvious, she said, “Hm. Usually I wouldn’t put any stock in his promises, but he happened upon me yesterday afternoon and let me take the rest of the day off.” She was tempted to point out that money has its benefits when used for good, but the look of suspicion that sat upon Zelda’s face as she seemed to think this over dragged her back to the present.

After a long pause, Zelda asked hesitantly, “Did he say why he was suddenly letting you take time off?”

“No,” Lilith shook her head. “Only that he didn’t really pitch in enough and he knew I could do with the help. I had made it clear when I saw him earlier in the day that I wasn’t impressed at being left to handle everything.”

Again, Zelda’s brow furrowed. “You saw him twice in the one day?”

The tone of the question caused Lilith’s eyebrow to raise up. “Yes. Why?”

At this Zelda softened a little. “Nothing…um, it just seems strange that someone who runs an art gallery should be so unwilling to help out, yet he shows his face more than once in the same day.”

She noticed Zelda’s countenance seemed different, though she couldn’t tell why. The ridge that formed in between Zelda’s eyebrows had returned, as it did when she was vexed. Lilith wanted to smooth it out with her lips, to ease whatever distress she felt. The meringue was truly delicious, and she wanted to enjoy that too. Hoping a change of subject would cheer Zelda, she piped up with, “Anyway, I’m sure you don’t want to hear about work. Tell me, how has your week been?”

“It’s been nothing but back-to-back meetings most days with lectures interspersed. I managed to grade a huge stack of papers before we finished up for Christmas-oh, actually…”

Gradually, Zelda appeared to shake off whatever had caused her terse reaction. Now she looked more focused on something happier.

“I’ve been thinking about what you said yesterday, and I was wondering….”

Lilith’s eyes narrowed as she tried to recall anything she had said. It was a blur apart from ravaging Zelda at the dining table.

“There’s absolutely no pressure, but…would you have any interest in joining us for Christmas?”

Lilith stared agog. Her heart started beating faster. Now it was thumping in her ears, blood coursing through her veins at a greater speed than a moment before.

Zelda continued, “We tend to have a bigger gathering most years, but this year it’s just my sister, her husband, my niece, nephew and I…”

“Oh…um…well…” Speechless, Lilith struggled to put her thoughts together. “It’s just that I tend to spend Christmas with an old family friend. She lives very close by and um…well, I think she might be quite hurt if I cancelled on her.”

She swallowed hard. Zelda looked utterly crestfallen, and Lilith felt her own heart sink at having caused this. It was a tradition for her to go to Clover’s house for Christmas and she felt it would not only leave the woman hurt, but that it would be rude to change the plans so close to the time. “I would if the situation were different Zelda, and I really appreciate the offer. Maybe…are you busy for New Years?”

Perking up at this, Zelda thought about it briefly, “No, at least I don’t think I have any fixed engagements.”

Lilith noted that there was still a hint of sadness in Zelda’s face. Summoning her courage, she took a silent breath and another step forward. “Would you like to come to mine for it?”

A sparkling smile illuminated Zelda’s face. “I’d love to. We can have our own mini Christmas.”

At this, Lilith’s belly filled with butterflies. Their own little Christmas, just the two of them. Thoughts flooded her mind of all the antics they could get up to. Lilith smirked, “Great. You can stay over. If you’re good.”

Zelda frowned, “I’m afraid that is going to have to be negotiable.”

“Well that will only make it more interesting. Perhaps I’ll teach you what I mean by being good.”

“Yes,” Zelda half agreed, “you did mention something about this before. Would it be presumptuous of me to assume you enjoyed the bondage?”

“I did. Although, I should point out, I prefer to be the one in control.” Lilith replied.

“Ah! I thought so. That works well in this situation,” Zelda mused as she gazed into her teacup.

Lilith watched her. “You don’t like control?” she asked.

“I love it,” Zelda answered instantly. “Only…I tend to be the one in charge all too often. It makes a nice change for someone else to take the lead. In relationships especially.”

Relationships. Lilith’s eyebrows rose in interest; she knew to tread carefully on these waters. As much as she wished to find out more, she was aware that Zelda was terrified of letting anyone in. Truthfully, Lilith was terrified too. Finishing her slice of meringue, she felt pulled to gently see if Zelda would open up a little.

“That’s understandable. Although, I would say from where I stand anyway, that this is a shared power dynamic.”

Zelda’s face was hard to read, but she looked intrigued at this idea. “How do you mean?” she asked quietly.

“Well, you said you’re happy to not be in control all the time.” Lilith paused. There was something she deeply wanted to say, but the words weren’t coming to her as quickly as usual. Zelda nodded silently, waiting and watching for Lilith to speak again. “I suppose, what I’m trying to say is that I know what it’s like to be in control in a relationship…but I also know what it’s like to have no control at all.” Here, she stopped, her eyes meeting Zelda’s across the room.

Zelda’s expression was soft and the concern that filled her features made Lilith smile a little. “That isn’t something that I want and I’m fairly sure it isn’t what you want either.”

“Certainly not,” Zelda responded. She was leaning forward, her elbows balanced on her knees with her teacup extended in front of her. All of her attention was focused on Lilith and there hung in the air the palpable feeling that a barrier was about to fall.

“I’m glad you said that,” Zelda muttered after a moments silence. “I told you I was married before…” Nodding, Lilith sat forward also, listening intently. “He was…is a very successful businessman, but he used to be a lecturer in Boston, which is where we met. He’s descended from a wealthy family with roots in Britain. They had expected him to marry into nobility in England, but he wasn’t interested. Money, it turned out, was his only true love. We got along famously at first, though it was purely platonic. I never had any interest in him beyond his business acumen and his sense of humour. He wined and dined me…”

Lilith felt an ugly feeling rise in the pit of her stomach. She could sense there was something awful coming, though she couldn’t figure out exactly what it might be.

“…and bemoaned his situation. There was a huge inheritance that he believed should have been his, but his father would only leave it to him if he married a suitable bride before his father’s death. He promised to always take care of the financial end of things for whoever the lucky woman was. At the time, my sister and I were struggling to afford tuition fees for our niece and nephew. The upkeep on a house like this isn’t easy either. And so, I offered.”

As she spoke, Zelda’s gaze flitted from Lilith to the floor. It was clear she wasn’t proud of this decision to wed someone she didn’t love. There was more to it though.

“At first, the arrangement suited us both. He lived up to his side of things initially and I played my role in front of his family. Part of the deal was that I would help him in the running of his business, assist with financial breakdowns and budgeting and in return he would make it worth my while with remuneration. But his assistant, Shirley – an overpaid bitch with zero integrity - overheard me talking to my sister about the arrangement. She promptly informed his family that it was a fake marriage and he was subsequently denied his fortune. Ever since then, he’s attempted to sue me for breach of contract.”

Letting out a tired sigh, Zelda sipped her tea. Lilith stared in disbelief. She had many questions, but her gut told her not to pry. If Zelda wanted to tell her more, she would.

 “Zelda, I…I don’t know what to say.”

The redhead nodded, a feigned smile crossing her lips. “Neither do I. It feels good to say it out loud though. Sabrina knows nothing of the arrangement, I kept it a secret from everyone but my sister.”

Watching her, Lilith felt distinctly like a new form of trust had been garnered between them. It wasn’t revealing enough to tell her a lot about Zelda as a person, but it certainly cast her as a good aunt, if perhaps a little naïve. There was a question niggling at her that she felt compelled to ask, but she didn’t know how to do so without being rude.

Her eyes lifted to the painting above Zelda’s head. Regardless of the moral factors in the situation, if Zelda was being sued by her ex-husband it remained a mystery how she could afford the $50,000 worth of fine art. Money was not a topic Lilith ever discussed outside of work. Still, it gnawed at her guts that the woman had just acknowledged financial difficulty led her into this arrangement, yet here they sat in luxury.

“Lilith? Are you alright?”

Jolting back to the present, Lilith straightened up. “I was just thinking of something…” she trailed off, her eyes fixed on the painting.

Studying her features carefully, Zelda smiled knowingly. “I can guess what you’re thinking.”

Looking back at her, Lilith shook her head as if she was about to reject the idea. When Zelda gave her a look that said “you can ask” she let out a breath she hadn’t realised she was holding.

“How did you afford the paintings?” Lilith almost shied away from asking as the feeling of dread that permeated the atmosphere grew larger.

 Zelda laughed, “I bought them out of a savings account.” Gazing up at Love Lock she smiled, “I really love them both. The other painting is in the library, would you like to see?”

“Maybe later,” Lilith beamed. The tension had lifted; she wanted to make the most of the weekend and not just sexually. Setting her cup down on the small coffee table next to her, she crossed her legs as she began. “I was wondering, would you mind if we talked about something?”

Zelda’s eyes met hers and the redhead nodded, “Certainly. What would you like to talk about?” Bringing the delicate china teacup to her lips, she watched from under her lowered eyelids.

Enfolding her fingers, Lilith braced herself. “Well, what it is that we’re looking for from each other? I find myself unsure and well…clarity is always a fine thing.”

Zelda still held the teacup in the same place, her expression frozen. Swallowing the liquid that had gone cold, she set the cup aside. “Alright, why don’t you go first?”

Lilith eyed her cautiously, pursing her lips in displeasure at the idea. “I suppose I did suggest it.”

“You did.” Zelda agreed.

“Well, I think it’s fair to say I enjoy your company.” Lilith felt her heart race in her chest. Part of her desperately wanted to have the conversation while another, more fragile part, wanted to run. To run as fast as her legs would carry her back to Brooklyn and to the safety of the brownstone building that made her feel strong. Her mouth ran dry as she tried to verbalise how she felt.

“At the risk of making things awkward, I got the distinct feeling that something had changed. I…was wondering if you felt that too?”

“I did,” Zelda replied. There was a sadness to her voice that made Lilith wonder if she really did feel it. Nodding slowly, she continued, “It’s just that…you seem…a little overwhelmed at times. Are things moving too fast for you?”

Shaking her head, Zelda made to answer, “No. My past experience has mainly been with men, which may have something to do with it. I enjoy what we have very much. However, I feel it’s only fair to tell you my schedule is increasingly busy due to this unheralded move back to the city next month. With that in mind, I wouldn’t be able to commit to anything that goes beyond the limits of being casual right now…”

Lilith felt as though she had been kicked in the stomach. Not allowing her feelings to show, she managed to say, “Casual…well that’s good to know.”

“And you?” Zelda asked.

“What about me?”

“Tell me what you’re looking for?” Zelda seemed to be taking in every movement Lilith made as if she was storing it for some mischievous reason of her own.

“Well, I…” Lilith dallied over the words that danced on her tongue, willing to be spoken. “I agree. Casual is most suitable.”

Silence ensued as Zelda continued to monitor her face. Narrowing her eyes to slits, Lilith wondered what she was inspecting.

“You didn’t answer my question,” Zelda probed. Without a second’s delay, Lilith shot back, “Neither did you.”

At this, a sly smile crossed Zelda’s lips. “Is that how it’s going to be?” she asked with a cocky glint in her eye.

“Don’t.” Lilith warned her. “Don’t do that. You’re better than that.”

The woman was certainly beautiful and intriguing, but Lilith wasn’t putting herself out there if Zelda wasn’t interested. It bothered her greatly that Zelda could see her irritation.

“Am I?” Zelda asked. It sounded like a genuine question rather than a rhetorical one and Lilith didn’t know how to answer.

“I see.” Zelda added. She looked as though she was regretting what she had said and the quietening effect it had had on Lilith. Silence hung aloof between them.

“I’m sorry,” Zelda picked up, “I didn’t mean that to sound harsh, or unfeeling.” Raising a hand to her forehead, she pinched the bridge of her nose. Lilith looked on confused. Suddenly, Zelda was standing up and moving towards her. Kneeling on the carpeted floor, she took Lilith’s hands in her own.

“Like I said, I enjoy what we have and while I certainly don’t expect you to settle for something casual if that’s not what you want…there are times where I am overwhelmed. I don’t really understand why.” Zelda’s voice cracked, emotion threatening to seep in and destroy the wall she worked so hard to build. In the moment, Lilith wanted it to break. Not in a way that would hurt Zelda, but just enough to make her as vulnerable as Lilith felt now.

Opening her gray-blue eyes, Zelda looked up into Lilith’s icy orbs. “Do you want more from me than this?” she asked in a whisper that was almost inaudible. Lilith saw the chill run through her at asking the question. There was something horribly sad in Zelda’s eyes that made Lilith uneasy.

“I do.” Lilith replied, her own voice filled with sadness. “But every time I see whatever that is that makes you look so desolate…I wonder are you ever going to tell me what it is.”

Zelda looked down, examining Lilith’s fingers that were interlaced with hers.

“I will,” she said softly, “in time. I can’t right now…I can’t…”

Lilith gave a short nod. “Like I said before, you can talk to me if you want to, Zelda. The circumstances of our initial meeting were accidental. There’s no pressure here.”

It bothered her, there was no denying it, but she did feel a little better for having said it. Lilith had her own story to tell about the paintings and as much as she wanted to tell the truth, she held onto it for now.

Zelda inhaled shakily and sat back on her heels. “Can we look at things a little further on in time? She asked.

Lilith considered her meaning and countered, “Are you suggesting we revisit this conversation once you’ve moved back and are settled?”

“Yes. That’s exactly what I mean.”

Lilith acquiesced; her face betraying how compunctious she really felt at having brought the subject up at all. Things had been going so well between them. “Yes, of course.” She managed a weak smile and upon seeing that Zelda wasn’t convinced by it, she reached forward and gently tucked a stray strand of hair behind the shell of her ear.

Zelda looked pale and upset. Gingerly, she questioned, “Do you still want to stay?”

In any other situation where things had become uncomfortable, Lilith would have either put the onus back on the person asking the question or made her excuses and left. With Zelda it wasn’t so. Lilith was a little dismayed at the conversation, but she also genuinely liked this woman. She enjoyed talking to her. It was clear from Zelda’s face that she wanted Lilith here and so Lilith replied honestly.

“Yes, I do. And I’d like more meringue if you please.”

A gorgeous smile brightened Zelda’s face and the colour started to return to her features.

“I’ll get it. More tea?”

“Yes, I’ll help.”

They made their way into the kitchen and set about eating more meringue and drinking more tea. There was an awkwardness to Zelda’s movements; she missed the centre of the saucer and created a loud jangling sound when the teacup clinked off the side. Laughing nervously, she turned to hand the cup to Lilith, her hands shaking. Taking the cup, Lilith also took her hand and kissed it to steady her. No sooner had she brought the limb to her lips and Zelda moved in to kiss her. Lilith felt Zelda’s hand grasping at her waist and she raised her lips to Zelda’s tenderly. They stood in the kitchen, kissing softly like teenagers for several minutes. Despite the awkwardness, Lilith felt distinctly like Zelda was unable to communicate her emotions well and to compensate she was communicating it through kissing her. Every touch, every caress, every whisper seemed redolent of a child finding their way from sitting to standing for the first time. It was still early, Lilith reminded herself and there was no need to rush anything.

The kiss slowed until their lips were touching with Zelda nuzzling her nose in against Lilith’s cheek. Her hands held Lilith’s waist tightly, as if she were afraid of losing her should she let go. Eventually, Zelda did let go, taking Lilith’s hand instead and leading her back to the sitting room. Walking over to the couch, she turned and lifted one leg under herself as she sat down. Lilith joined her, bending her knees and gathering them by her side.

“Tell me about this friend who you spend Christmas with,” Zelda motioned with a light smile.

Lilith laughed, “Hm, Clover is a treasure. You’d love her. She was my grandmother’s closest friend in the city and she’s always looked after me. Even now.”

“Your grandmother lived in New York?” Zelda asked in surprise.

“Yes, she owned the building I live in. She left it to me in her will. I spent summers with her growing up and falling in love with the city.”

Zelda smiled warmly, “you were close to her I take it?”

“Very much. I wanted to live with her when I was a girl. My parents were wonderful, but there wasn’t a whole lot to do in Wisconsin. Not compared to here at least. During the day she’d take me to the park or if it was raining, we’d stay in and I’d help her bake cakes. She always knew what to do if something happened; if anyone in the building was ill, they’d call on her or if someone needed help, she’d be there for them.” Lilith’s chest swelled at the memories. “I’m so lucky to have had her for so long,” she said, not fully realising she had said it out loud. It was the softness in Zelda’s face that made her realise she had done so. Clearing her throat, Lilith went to change the topic. “Anyway…” she glanced around, searching for something that would inspire her.

“I’d love to hear about your grandmother and you and Clover.” Zelda spoke gently, as if she wanted to savour how warm the atmosphere was between them. A wave of relief washed over Lilith. She wanted to share with Zelda how much her grandmother meant to her. It was important to her that if anyone was to understand her, Lilith, properly, they would need to know about the woman who shaped her into who she was.

Smiling, she carried on. “Clover is a maven in the kitchen, she’s expanded my taste buds considerably down through the years. She’s Jamaican and well, you can imagine how incredible anything she makes is. My grandmother went to her store everyday and they became good friends. One winter my grandmother caught the flu and when she didn’t turn up at the store for a few days, Clover asked around to find out where she lived. She arrived and Grandmother Lilibeth’s door with cream of chicken soup, ginger ale and curried goat – her specialty. From that day they became best friends, always looking out for each other.”

At this, Zelda gave a big smile. “That’s wonderful. I think sometimes female friends are the best companions.”

“Yes, so do I,” Lilith replied.

“When did your grandmother pass away?” When Zelda asked these kinds of questions, there was a remarkable softness to her voice. Lilith wondered if she was aware of it. She wanted to tell her how lovely it was and how much it suited her.

“Seven years ago. She was a very young grandmother. Clover is getting on in years now.” No sooner were the words out of her mouth and Lilith felt her eyes well up. When Clover’s time eventually came, Lilith knew she would be left very much alone again. Looking down to hide her tears, she felt the warmth of Zelda’s hands over hers. She didn’t want sympathy and she hoped it wasn’t evident how lonely she felt. Before she knew what was happening, Zelda had scooped her into her arms and was rubbing her back tenderly.

“It’s ok,” she said gently, “I’m quite envious, both of my grandmothers died when I was a young girl. They weren’t warm like your grandmother.”

Sniffing, Lilith turned to look at her, “No?”

Zelda shook her head, “my father’s mother was widowed by the time she was 30 with five children to raise. My mother’s mother was a midwife and she suffered with depression. I think all women of their age group had much harder lives in some ways.”

“Yes,” Lilith agreed, “it couldn’t have been easy.”

The feeling of Zelda’s warm hand at her back was beyond comforting. Lilith wished she didn’t like it so much. Fighting the desire to lay her head on Zelda’s shoulder and cry, Lilith reached forward to take a tissue out of the box that was perched on the table. Dabbing at her eyes, she said “I’m not sure why I’m upset, it’s silly really.”

“No it’s not,” Zelda replied. “It’s wonderful that you had that relationship with your grandmother. You really loved her didn’t you?”

She did and the mention of it made her more upset. “Yeah,” she whimpered, “I miss her, I always felt safe with her.” Internally, Lilith scolded herself for showing such weakness in front of this woman.

In an effort to calm herself, Lilith placed one hand on her chest and focused on her breathing.

“Can I do anything?” Zelda whispered.

Lowering her eyelids, Lilith made no answer. If she spoke now, feeling this vulnerable, she would no doubt say something she couldn’t take back. Feeling her hair being swept to one side, her lips parted. Zelda started running her fingertips lightly over the skin that covered the nape of Lilith’s neck. It felt exactly like what it was – consoling. Contrary to how Zelda touched her in bed, this was different; this was intent to pacify.

Opening her eyes, Lilith looked at her. Zelda was right by her side, studying her face to see if there was something she could say or do that would make it better.

“Tell me about you,” Lilith said quietly.

Emitting a short laugh, Zelda hesitated. Meeting Lilith’s eyes, she shrank a little.

“Alright,” Zelda sat back, removing her fingers from Lilith’s back. “Well, I grew up in this house with my younger sister and brother. That’s us with our mother,” she picked up a framed photograph from the coffee table and handed it to Lilith. “Can you guess which one is me?”

Of the three children, it was clear that the only boy was dressed in pants and a rather stiff looking shirt. The two girls looked nothing alike; one was plump and exuded happiness from every pore of her being, the other was slim and serious. Lilith gazed at the figure of Zelda in her youth. She tapped it with her fingertip and looked to Zelda for confirmation.

“Yes, I’ve always been like that,” Zelda remarked.

“Like what?”

“Dour.”

Lilith looked at the picture again. It was true, there was a relentlessly severe look in the girls face that she had seen Zelda give. The fact that Zelda was aware of it took her by surprise.

“We all have different sides to us I suppose,” Lilith offered, not knowing what to say.

“We do. Everyone has their way of coping with things that happen.”

Lilith looked ahead. Was she supposed to ask a question here? It sounded very much like she was being drip-fed.

“Such as?”

“I was a very bright student, our parents expected me to achieve academically. Hilda, was their favourite though.” Zelda was staring into space as she spoke, her mind seemed to be elsewhere.

“Was your sister gifted academically?”

A derisive snort from Zelda told Lilith that the answer was no.

“Far from it. Although she worked very hard to obtain decent grades. I think they almost preferred her for the effort she put in. We were close growing up despite how jealous we were of each other.”

Intrigued, Lilith turned towards her wanting to hear more.

“Are you close now?”

In response, Zelda shrugged her shoulders, her face a picture of disdain. Lilith didn’t buy it.

“Is that a no?”

“Let’s put it this way, if she needed me, I’d be there for her and vice versa. Now that she’s married, she seems much happier than before.”

Considering this, Lilith looked around the room for pictures of Hilda. She spotted several on one wall on the left-hand side of the bay window. The opposite side displayed the exact same number of pictures of Zelda.

“Who hung the pictures?” she asked, pointing to both walls.

“Our parents initially. I always slept on the right-side of our childhood bed and Hilda slept on the left, so our baby pictures were hung on the corresponding sides. We’ve carried on the tradition as various life events occurred.”

Scanning the wall of pictures of a younger Zelda, Lilith noticed that nearly all of them showed her achieving something. Apart from adorable shots of her as a chubby baby with ringlets, there were three graduation pictures, two of her shaking hands with international dignitaries and one of her teaching at a prestigious university seminar. Hilda’s photographs on the other hand, showed a bubbly, happy woman who was pictured next to a loved one in every shot. There were several featuring Zelda at varying ages, one with a man and woman whom Lilith presumed were their parents and some with a blonde teenager who matched Hilda’s chirpiness. Returning to glance at Zelda’s side of the wall, she searched for signs of a loved one in any of the images. There were none.

It occurred to Lilith that perhaps Zelda had invited her to spend Christmas with them because she was lonely too. She felt worse now for having turned her down, but she wouldn’t go back on her word to Clover.

Zelda cleared her throat, drawing Lilith’s attention back to her. It was clear she wasn’t going to get much information out of Zelda unless the woman chose to open up. So, Lilith went with the only thing she could think of to break the silence.

“Would you like to go for a walk?” she asked.

“Hm, yes that would be lovely.”

The two made their way upstairs to shower and change before heading out. Zelda double-locked the front door and turned to link Lilith who was wearing a beautiful thick woollen sweater Zelda had loaned to her, along with some black leather pants and her dominatrix leather coat. Zelda meanwhile, wore an emerald blouse and tight fitting black pants that made her look even more regal. Upon seeing Lilith, Zelda smiled proudly.

“I must say, you look delicious in my clothes too. Is there anything you don’t look good in?”

Lilith laughed, “Hm, maybe a black bin liner, although I haven’t tried it yet.”

“Careful, don’t give me ideas,” Zelda mused.

“What, you want to dress me in a bin liner now?”

“Well, no. I did enjoy picking out warm clothes for you today though. I often worry that you’ll catch your death from the cold in those wonderful, skimpy dresses you love to waltz about it.” With a cheeky grin, Zelda tugged Lilith who stared at her mouth agape and directed her towards the main streets. “C’mon, you’ve no excuse for dawdling, you can’t be cold,” she teased.

Lilith tried to conceal how amused she was to no avail. “That’s rich. I could’ve sworn I saw you undress me with your eyes in the gallery.”

“I did. I’m not denying they look stunning on you.”

“And what’s this about you ‘often worrying’ I’d catch a cold?”

“I said what I said.” Zelda grinned staring straight ahead.

“Well then, I’ll have to bear that in mind going forward. Wouldn’t want you worrying.”

“I’m not suggesting you stop-”

“Oh no, you said what you said!” Lilith giggled.

They walked on towards central Manhattan teasing each other and laughing constantly. At times, Lilith saw people staring at them and she knew it was because Zelda looked incredible. Passing by a shop window, their reflections stood out amongst the crowds. Lilith realised people were staring because they looked so much like a couple. Like two people in a relationship. Walking on, they chatted about this and that, Zelda pointed out Christmas decorations and baubles that caught her eye. They saw an enormous Christmas tree, bedecked with lights and shiny ornaments with families queuing up to take pictures in front of it. Lilith wondered if Zelda would find it childish, if she would laugh at the idea.

“It is a lovely tree,” she said pointedly.

“Beautiful,” Zelda agreed.

As they watched, a couple with no children took their turn; two men who were full of the holiday spirit. Zelda brushed a stray piece of hair to the side and hummed low. Looking at her, Lilith saw she was thinking about it.

“Would you like to get a photo taken?” Lilith asked.

“Why not?” Zelda answered.

The queue was shorter now and just as they joined it the sound of bells rang out on the giant speakers at either side of the tree. Children pointed and shouted that it meant Santa was preparing to fly all around the world in a couple of nights time. Lilith felt Zelda link her closer as she said, “It looks like the tree from Batman Returns, don’t you think?”

Examining it, Lilith frowned. “I don’t remember it well enough. I was too focused on Michelle Pfeiffer as Catwoman.”

Zelda shot her a mischievous look. “Oh, really? Duly noted.” Lilith chuckled.

When it was their turn, the photographer gestured to them to take their places. Zelda walked out first, bringing Lilith with her. Unlinking her, Zelda fastened her arm around Lilith’s waist.

The photographer called out, “Ladies, you get two shots so strike a pose and I’ll count to 3!”

Both women laughed. Lilith murmured, “Indulge me won’t you?” Zelda nodded as Lilith reached over and grasped the belt of Zelda’s coat, entwining it around her fist she took a step back. Grinning, Zelda stepped back too, tightening the belt around her waist so it looked very much like Lilith was in total control of her. Leaning back she opened her mouth making it look like she had been whisked in front of the tree by surprise.

Laughter from the crowd ensued and the photographer smiled.

“What do you think?” Lilith asked him.

“It’s great, as long as it’s PG! Are you ready?”

They both chimed “Ready!”

“1, 2, 3!”

The flash went off and they quickly adjusted themselves to standing.

“Fabulous, ladies. Whenever you’re ready!”

“My turn to be indulged,” Zelda muttered, the cold December air forming a mist around her breath. “As you wish,” Lilith smiled. They stared at each other, with something more than lust hanging in between them.

“Ready!” Zelda called out.

“1, 2, 3!”

On 3, Zelda leaned in and kissed her. Neither of them saw the flash go off with their eyes closed, luxuriating in the taste of each other. Lilith felt her head spin, like she was dizzy in some sort of wonderful way. Was Zelda really kissing her in front of other people? Cheers and applause rang out from the crowds around them. Stunned she felt the loss of Zelda’s lips and her eyes opened to find the woman looking at her with deep affection. There was no mistaking it. Zelda took her hand and led her towards the photographer’s assistant who was developing the photos in an unusual little black box. Lilith was so taken aback in a good way that she barely noticed it.

“Would you like copies too?” the man was asking her.

“Uh, yes please,” she managed to say. Reaching for her bag to pay, she heard Zelda say it was fine she would paid for both copies.

Leaving the square, Lilith felt like she was floating. They walked up towards a monument where Zelda turned and handed her the envelope that contained the developed images.

“A tiny token, a pre-Christmas Eve Eve gift if you will.”

“Thank you,” Lilith smiled. At a loss for words, she leaned forward and kissed her again. The searing cold was all the more distinguishable against the heat of Zelda’s skin. In between kisses, Lilith whispered, “you’re dangerous Zelda Spellman.”

Breaking the kiss to look at her, Zelda cocked her head to one side. “How so?”

“I want to have my way with you right here, right now,” Lilith admitted. She felt it so strongly, she didn’t care if anyone else overheard her. Zelda’s eyes twinkled brighter than any light she had seen.

“Is that a promise?” she smirked.

“I’m not kidding,” Lilith returned sharply.

Zelda’s smile mellowed. “Neither am I, Lilith. I want you too.” Lilith moved in closer, parting Zelda’s coat and drawing her arms around her waist. Zelda moved in as well, her hands framing Lilith’s face as she kissed her again. It was Lilith’s turn to break the kiss, as she leaned in and whispered against the shell of Zelda’s ear, “You want me to fuck you right here? Where someone could walk by and see?” A thrill spilled up Zelda’s spine and it made Lilith’s grin widen to feel her shudder in her arms.

Breathily, Zelda whispered, “Yes, right here. Fuck me. I need it.” Lilith’s eyes slammed shut. It made her entire body feel electric to hear those words from this woman. The idea that she needed her and only her was enough to make her set about teasing her until she gave in. Reaching up to the waistband of Zelda’s pants, she hurriedly undid the button and the zip, revealing the soft flesh of her belly. Turning her hand so the palm rested on Zelda’s skin, Lilith slid under her panties to find the most glorious mess beginning to coat her hand. Zelda pushed against her, so that Lilith’s back was against the rear wall of the monument. They were somewhat secluded, but the thrill of being caught was most definitely there. Lilith shielded Zelda’s face with her hair, still able to hear her muffled cries.

“My, my…you certainly are in need of relief aren’t you, Zelda?”

“Oh god…please Lilith!”

“Hm, you do feel amazing…but I wonder should I leave you like this until we get back to the house.”

“No! Lilith please…please,” Zelda hissed, her hands digging into Lilith’s low back.

Taking the already swollen nub of Zelda’s clitoris between her thumb and forefinger, Lilith began to pump it mercilessly. Zelda gasped louder, squeezing Lilith tightly.

“The bells are going to ring out again any minute now. It’ll drown out your screaming.”

“Screaming - Lilith, I can’t, I-”

“Yes, you can.” Lilith turned to look her in the eye. “You’re safe with me. And judging by how gorgeous you feel, relief has to be quick, and it has to be now.”

Zelda made to answer her, but Lilith was too quick. Sliding her fingers deep inside the slick wetness of Zelda’s sex, she flicked her clit in the same magical way she had the night before and Zelda was coming. She was coming hard and fast just as the sound of the bells rang out, she screamed and cried and whimpered up close into Lilith’s ear.

“Oh god,” she whimpered, “Lilith, oh god…”

“Shh…” Lilith soothed her, seizing her lips in a kiss. “I’ve got you,” she whispered, strengthening her hold around Zelda’s waist, she kept her hand where Zelda needed it to rock against until she got every last ounce of orgasm out of her.

“Uhh…” groaning loudly, Zelda pressed her forehead against Lilith’s. She began kissing Lilith’s cheek, her nose, her jaw, her neckline. The grinding slowed down but not completely. Zelda gripped Lilith’s shoulders for dear life as she continued to slide against her fingers and palm. Rubbing off a particularly sensitive spot, Zelda moaned in such a way that Lilith couldn’t conceal her desire. It was one thing to tease and play with her but there were noises that Zelda make that were like kryptonite to her.

“Zelda…” she whispered.

The redhead looked at her, her eyes just about opening enough in the throes of pleasure to take the sight of her in.

Lilith knew what she wanted to say, but she couldn’t. What if Zelda recoiled from her? Watching her now she could see Zelda was waiting for her. “You look beautiful,” she simply said. It wasn’t what she had wanted to say, but it was true. Removing her hand, she took a tissue from her handbag and cleaned her fingers. She turned to see Zelda fixing her clothing and when she was ready, Lilith extended her arm for her to link. They walked through the streets silently for a while. It felt as though something held between them that went unspoken, but they carried on regardless. On their way, Lilith spotted the Cartier window that she adored.

“Do you mind if we have a quick look in there? It’s my favourite place.”

Zelda perked up at the sight of the jewels. “Of course,” she replied.

Inside, the store was laid out with fabulous décor for the season. Lilith noticed it, but her eye was drawn to a particular stone.

“Why does it not surprise me that you like Cartier?” Zelda piped up behind her.

Looking over her shoulder, Lilith smiled, “I do enjoy the finer things in life it must be said.”

“So I see,” Zelda agreed. She followed Lilith’s eyeline to a diamond necklace that lay over a display.

“It’s a red diamond, they’re the rarest in the world. I’ve been intending to treat myself for a while, but I keep putting it off.” Lilith examined the stone with huge appreciation. Zelda stood beside her listening to the vast amount of information Lilith was able to impart about the jewel.

“Have you tried it on?” Zelda asked.

“No. I wouldn’t ask to do that unless I was buying.”

“Why don’t you? It is Christmas after all.”

Lilith pondered this. It was true and she had pined for it for such a long time. Looking at Zelda with a Cheshire cat grin, she muttered, “I knew you were dangerous.”

At that Zelda called an assistant over and enquired if Lilith could try on the necklace. The man went to open the door to remove it when a colleague appeared and intervened.

“Madam, I’m afraid the necklace has just been sold, along with the earrings and ring to match.”

Lilith’s face fell. “Oh.”

“Is it the only one?” Zelda asked.

“It’s the last one in stock. Only 14 sets were made, we got seven sets and Harry Winston got the other seven.”

Zelda saw the disappointment marking Lilith’s face. “Shall we try Harry Winston’s?”

Again, the man interjected, “They sold their last set this morning I’m afraid.”

Inwardly, Lilith was disappointed that she hadn’t splurged the previous week when she was here. Perhaps she wasn’t meant to have it, she thought.

Linking Zelda, she gestured towards the exit. “That’s a shame,” Zelda remarked, “do you want to try Harry Winston’s just in case.”

“No, it seems like it wasn’t meant to be. I was so hesitant over it. The day before Christmas Eve isn’t the best time to look for anything anyway, I don’t know what I was thinking.”

Zelda thought for a moment as they rejoined the busy streets. “Do you know how long it’s been in the window for?”

“Oh, months. I first saw it in the summer. It’s my own fault, I never find it easy to part with big sums of cash for things like jewellery.”

Zelda hummed again, as she did when she was pondering something. “You never know, they might make more.”

“Hm, maybe,” Lilith politely agreed, although her tone suggested this was a once off. “Are you hungry?”

“Famished,” Zelda replied. “It’s only 3pm though. Are you?”

Nodding her head, Lilith said, “Starving. Do you like Cuban food?”

“Can’t say I’ve tried it,” Zelda replied, “if you know of a good spot, I’d be happy to try it.”

With that, Lilith brought her on a quick detour through the city until they arrived at Cuba NYC in Greenwich Village. Zelda was entranced by the surroundings and made no secret of how impressed she was by it. “Lilith how on earth do you find all these wonderful places?” she laughed.

“Like I said, I like the finer things in life. In the warmer months the outside seats are the best, but it’s a bit too cold for that today.”

“Will we get a table? It’s their busiest time of year.”

“True,” Lilith nodded, “but I have friends in high places,” she added tipping the end of her nose in secrecy.

A man appeared and greeted her warmly, exclaiming that he hadn’t seen her in so long he was starting to wonder if she’d forgotten about them. Lilith explained that work had kept her away and when Zelda heard the man say, “Is that manager of yours working you all hours of the day?” she watched Lilith carefully. Lilith rolled her eyes in jest and said, “This is why I’m hoping to become my own boss one day,” to which the man heartily agreed that it was the best way to do things.

They were escorted inside to a warm, exotic room with brick walls painted black and white canopies hoisted from one side of the ceiling to the other, creating a tropical backdrop. The man gave them menus and promised to return soon to take their order. When he was gone, Zelda watched as Lilith quietly looked through the menu.

“Lilith?”

“Mm?”

“Did I hear you say you’re hoping to work for yourself one day?” she asked looking over the top of her menu at the raven-haired beauty who was studying a description of cocktails very intently.

Lilith looked up, her huge blue eyes like saucers swimming around the miniscule dot of black that formed her pupil. “Yes, that’s the plan. Eventually.”

“May I ask what it is you want to work at?”

“Art,” she said in a matter of fact tone. “I paint. Mostly portraits.”

“Ah,” Zelda answered. “Of anyone in particular?”

At that moment, the manager returned to take their order. Lilith chose braised shrimp while Zelda went with pan-fried steak.

“Their signature mojito’s are to die for if you like rum!” Lilith enthused.

“Indeed I do, are you having one?”

“Yes,” Lilith handed the menu’s to the man and he was visibly thrilled that Lilith had brought someone to spread the word about their specialty.

As he left, Lilith explained, “Juan owns the restaurant, his brother is the head chef and his wife and sons wait tables. He’s a truly lovely man, he offered me a job despite it being a family business. He cares so much about the food and his customers; I hope you like it.”

“I’m sure I will, it looks delicious,” Zelda noted as she saw people at other tables tucking into their meals.

Lilith was relieved to have escaped the question about who she painted portraits of. She wanted to use this time to learn more about Zelda and she hoped as the afternoon progressed, they would both open up a bit more.

“Tell me Zelda, what does a woman such as yourself do when she’s not broadening the horizons of the next generation with her knowledge?”

Zelda smiled, “Usually she can be found reading, or gardening. She’s fond of her small herb garden and the lillies, roses and gardenias that she grows in the back yard.”

Lilith regarded this information with growing interest.

“She also enjoys music, particularly classical, and drawing, though she is inept in this area. More recently, she’s been found getting over her fear of technology.”

“Oh?” Lilith inquired, “Fear is a strong word.”

“It certainly is. Of course, nothing makes one want to overcome a fear more than the promise of a reward at the end of it.”

Amused and unsure of what she was hinting at, Lilith furrowed her brow in a silent question.

“A reward, say like getting messages from a beautiful woman. It’s quite the entreaty into foreign territory, I can assure you.”

She looked ethereal, Lilith thought. With her chin resting on her hands, her fingers intertwined. Unable to hide how pleased she was at this subtle compliment; Lilith blushed a little.

“Well, technology is brilliant in many ways. Pictures and videos are an added bonus,” Lilith acquiesced.

“Oh, you enjoyed those did you?”

“Very much. Although it pales in comparison to the real thing.”

A look came over Zelda’s face where she seemed to be remembering the episode at the back of the monument. Her eyes closed as she recalled the sensations once again. Under the table, Lilith felt the distinct shape of Zelda’s pointy boots brush against the back of her calf slightly.

“Ladies, your food has arrived!”

Startled, Zelda jumped in her seat. Masking a giggle, Lilith beamed brightly at the waiter, “Thank you so much.”

“I’m beginning to think you’re the one who’s dangerous, Lilith.”

“Lil’ ole me?” she batted her eyelashes at her not so innocently.

“Yes, you. You and your smart mouth.”

“Oooh!” Laughing seductively, Lilith bit her lip. “We both know what I can do with my mouth if someone doesn’t behave now, don’t we?”

Bringing a forkful of food to her mouth, Zelda chewed, swallowed, and muttered “Insufferable…”

Putting on her sweetest face, Lilith asked, “Would you like me to stop?”

Looking somewhat proud of herself, Zelda retorted, “Not at all. As long as you know that for every conceited mention of your abilities, I intend to give just as good as I get.”

Lilith raised her glass and gestured to Zelda to do the same. “Promise?” Lilith asked. Clinking her glass against hers, Zelda declared, “Promise.”

They ate and drank their mojitos before setting off into the city once more. Zelda opened her bag to check something and Lilith saw her remove a wallet. “Is there anywhere else you want to go?” Zelda asked her. Lilith glanced around before answering, “No, unless you do?”

“I really don’t. In fact, I think we need to go back to the house right now.”

“Why, what’s wrong?” Lilith’s brow arched as she saw Zelda frantically search the streets for an empty cab.

“I’ll tell you once we get there.”

Confused, Lilith looked on as Zelda hailed a cab and ushered her in first. Giving her address to the driver, she kept her wallet on her lap, her gaze fixed on the road ahead.

Timidly, Lilith outstretched her hand and placed it atop Zelda’s. Without looking at her, Zelda took hold of her hand. Leaning in, Lilith whispered, “What’s wrong?”

Zelda shook her head, stroking Lilith’s hand as she did so. “Just trust me on this,” she whispered back. Lilith’s eyes darted around in disbelief. What on earth could have happened to cause this kind of panic? She hadn’t noticed anything. Was Zelda feeling unwell suddenly? She didn’t look it, but she did look very anxious.

The driver dropped them off outside the gate of the Spellman house. Zelda hurried up the steps with Lilith behind her.

“Zelda, are you ill?”

“No,” Zelda turned and took her hand, leading her into the house and locking the door from the inside.

“Then what’s with the urgency?”

Zelda took off her coat and hung it on the coat rack at the door. Swerving around, she caught Lilith in both arms and pushed her against the wall.

“I couldn’t take the teasing in the restaurant. Every time you touch me, I want more. I couldn’t wait and I wasn’t going to hide somewhere for a quick fuck either. I want you properly, Lilith.”

There, she kissed her with such force and passion that Lilith dropped her bag and jumped up, wrapping her legs around Zelda’s hips. Their mouths danced off each other, with teeth and tongues trying fervently to get better access. With a loud smack, Zelda separated her lips from Lilith’s and lifted the sweater up over her head and shoulders. Beneath it, Lilith wore a black lace bra that lifted her breasts up, emphasising how pert and toned she was.

Running her hands through Zelda’s long hair, Lilith felt her bury her lips in her cleavage. Sucking and biting until she found the sensitive nipple that felt ripe enough to be eaten. Moaning, Lilith felt her inhibitions from earlier disappear. Zelda wanted her and she wanted her badly enough that she’d brought them back to her house so they could be together in private.

Zelda lifted her away from the wall and Lilith let her loose, dropping her feet to the floor. Taking her by the hand, Zelda brought her up to the bedroom, stopping every so often to kiss her and remove another item of clothing.

Inside the room, Lilith began undressing Zelda slowly, making eye contact with her. There was something different about Zelda’s countenance, something more delicate than before. Zelda was able to hold her gaze, in fact she seemed to be drinking Lilith in like she was a glass of whiskey that needed to be savoured it was so unique. For her part, Lilith had never felt so adored. When she undid the buttons on Zelda’s blouse, her fingertips traced the soft skin of her abdomen and Zelda flinched from the intimacy. They both stood in their underwear at the end of the bed, taking in the sight of each other. Reaching out, Zelda gathered Lilith into her arms and tucked a curled lock of dark tresses behind the woman’s ear, resting her hand against her cheek. Moving in, Zelda kissed her softly, her lips just about touching off Lilith’s. It was so tender, yet it wasn’t frightening this time. Lilith wasn’t sure precisely what had changed, but she could feel it in her bones.

Then Zelda was coaxing her to the side of the bed and asking her to lie back. Doing as she was instructed, Lilith felt utterly hedonistic watching Zelda sink to her knees in front of her. The feel of the woman’s hands parting her things sent tingles coursing up her spinal column. Then, Lilith felt the soft, moist touch of Zelda’s lips pressing against her inner thigh and she shivered. When she felt Zelda reach the apex of her thighs, Lilith bit her lip as every nerve ending in her vulva lit up in anticipation of what was coming. She was wearing thin lace briefs, her favourite pair because they heightened the sensation down below when she sat down. Zelda had clearly worked out why Lilith wore them because she placed the flat of her tongue against the panel that covered her sex. Even through the material it was evident how wet Lilith was and she gasped with a slight hum of pleasure at the contact.

Zelda put her hand on top of the briefs and slowly felt around through the fabric for Lilith’s clitoris. She was met with a resounding cry of pleasure when she found it, coupled with a groan of frustration as Lilith realised she was teasing her. She started squirming in an attempt to wriggle the panties down, but Zelda pressed her tongue firmly against the panel that concealed her sex.

“Now who’s insufferable, hm?” Lilith croaked, her voice hoarse with desire.

 Raising her head a little, Zelda grinned, “You didn’t think I was going to take that fucking you gave me earlier without giving back, did you?”

“Inspired you, did I?”

Lilith chuckled as she said it, but the smile was soon wiped from her face when she felt Zelda press something hard and cold against her clit. Straining her neck to see what it was, Lilith felt a sharp slap against her inner thigh.

“Ow!” she yelled.

“I didn’t say you could look,” Zelda scolded.

“What is it?”

“You’ll see in good time. Relax for me.”

Lilith shifted on the bed. She wasn’t used to giving over this much control, but the way Zelda had looked at her since they got back made her feel weak. She didn’t want it to become obvious that she was prepared to let this woman do things to her she had never done with anyone. At the same time, she was intrigued.

Zelda stroked her through her underwear using her fingertips and when she was satisfied that Lilith was relaxed enough, she clicked a button. A low buzzing sound emitted from the object, which Lilith almost didn’t hear because her entire body spasmed immediately from the vibration it caused.

“Ohhhh!” she cried out, her chest rising and falling much faster now. The object was so cold it felt like steel. She was lubricated enough to warm it up quickly, but she could feel it maintaining the temperature. It felt incredible, unlike any of her own sex toys, which was an extensive collection. She heard the click of a button and the vibrating stopped but her body continued to shake. Zelda’s hands were on her thighs and her tongue was teasing again through the soft panel that ran down the centre. Lilith shimmied to try to make direct contact with Zelda’s tongue, but each time she did so Zelda slapped her sharply.

“Mm, do that again…” Lilith whined.

Slapping the sensitive skin of her inner thigh again, Zelda watched her writhe in ecstasy.

“Do you prefer sex rough?” Zelda asked as she slapped the skin again.

Lilith’s eyes were narrowed to slits. “Sometimes, it depends. Do you?”

“Most of the time. What does it depend on for you?” she returned to teasing Lilith’s clit over her panties. Once Lilith had moaned and arched into the touch, she started to answer, “Lots of things, t-trust is a big one…”

“What else?” Zelda probed, continuing her ministrations.

Lilith’s back arched off the bed as Zelda hit a particularly sensitive spot. The reaction caused her to slow down and focus on that same area and she saw Lilith convulse gently to each mini pulse.

“how-uhh-how much effort th-they put into pleasing me…oh god…” she keened upwards, her chest trembling with pleasure. Zelda was working her slowly, torturously and it was driving her insane that she wasn’t directly touching her.

“What else?”

Groaning in annoyance, Lilith struggled to verbalise the factors that made her want to have rough sex. It felt like the woman was deliberately taunting her, keeping her on the brink of extreme orgasm all so she could prove that she was just as capable as Lilith in bed.

“I don’t know – oh god, mm right there…”

“Do you think I put enough effort into pleasing you?”

Lilith grunted loudly, “Yes, more than enough…”

There was the feeling of the cold metal at her clitoris again and Zelda’s fingers were slowing down to an unbearable rate.

“Do you trust me?”

The question rang out into the high ceiling that Lilith was now staring at. Zelda stopped stroking her, her hand resting on Lilith’s low belly. Panting, Lilith felt her heart race. How could she say that she wanted to trust her, but she was torn by how Zelda could change. Propping herself up on one elbow, she looked down at Zelda who was still kneeling in between her legs.

“Do you trust me?” Lilith returned the question.

“Yes,” Zelda answered without a second’s hesitation.

Taken aback, Lilith stared at her.

“Do you trust me?” she asked again.

Slowly Lilith nodded, “Yes.”

“Then lie down for me.”

Obeying, Lilith felt the warmth of Zelda’s hand disappear from her stomach. In a flash, her hand was under her panties, stroking her hardened nub and the vibrator was switched on. Lilith gave a roar of shock and pleasure mixed together. Her hands grasped the sheets as she fought to withstand the intensity. Zelda moved the vibrator away so it wasn’t as strong and gradually Lilith’s hips began to move towards it as she built up tolerance. After a few minutes, Zelda switched off the vibrator and began sliding the panties down Lilith’s legs. Breathless, Lilith watched as Zelda began placing soft kisses along her shin, kneecap and thigh, all the while holding Lilith’s gaze. Then, she gave a long lick of her tongue from back to front of Lilith’s labia and settled down to feast on her. Lilith lifted one foot onto the bed to position herself at a better angle for maximum pleasure. She could feel exactly where her wetness was forming and Zelda was licking it out rapidly. With each generous lick of her tongue, Zelda saw more beautiful slippery arousal seep out. Greedily, she suctioned her mouth around the crux of Lilith’s sex and her tongue slid inside the heaving, slick walls that were ready for her. Holding Lilith steady by her hips, Zelda was totally in control. Lilith felt light-headed and delirious with pleasure, but she wanted more. Each kiss and caress was like a drug and she felt like an addict seeking to recapture that same high she had experienced only moments before. The difference was that each orgasm was unique to the last. Zelda had some enigmatic way of touching every part of her without it becoming boring or samey. Lilith could feel how much she wanted to please her and that combined with the numerous spirals of pleasure that were rushing through her body made her feel like she was about to lose it completely. Without warning, Zelda’s tongue lapped over her clitoris in just the right way and Lilith shrieked.

“Ohmygod!! Oh fuck! Ohhh…”

Quaking, she tried to find the words to ask Zelda to hold her.

“Zeldaaa…I-I-I…..ohh….” her voice cracked as she felt Zelda suckling on her clitoris, calming her down with the softness of her lips.

“Oh, god….please,” she whimpered. Her legs were shaking of their own volition, her belly felt like there were hundreds of butterflies flying around within it and her pelvis felt so unbelievably sated that she couldn’t catch her breath. Zelda placed a kiss on her vulva and then another on her navel. Lilith whimpered, she wanted nothing more than to be held by Zelda and to hear her voice low and soft telling her it was all going to be alright.

Zelda was stroking her hair back from her face and Lilith looked up at her in awe.

“Zelda…”

“Yes,” Zelda smiled with the same expression of deep warmth and affection she had displayed earlier.

With all of her energy spent, Lilith couldn’t think of the words to express what she wanted and so, she reached up and drew Zelda to her in an embrace. Lifting her up carefully, Zelda pulled the covers back and guided Lilith under them. Crawling in next to her, she felt Lilith take her hand and kiss it.

“Can I hold you?” Zelda whispered.

“Yes, please,” Lilith smiled. The next thing she knew she was swaddled in Zelda’s arms and could feel Zelda kissing her temples, her cheeks and finally her lips.

“How do you feel?” Zelda asked.

Lilith laughed in a mild, amused sort of way. “How do you think I feel?”

Zelda gave her a look that suggested she really wanted to know, and Lilith relented. “I feel amazing. My legs are still shaking, and I can barely form a sentence.”

Zelda bit her lip, looking more beautiful and composed than she had a right to. “I’m glad I could do that for you. I thought you were going to make me lose my mind earlier.”

“At the monument?”

“Yes, as you know very well. God.” Zelda closed her eyes again.

“What are you thinking about?” Lilith asked.

Fluttering her eyelids open, Zelda looked down. “How incredible it felt. I’ve never done that in public before.”

“Neither have I.”

Zelda’s eyes flickered up to Lilith’s face. “Really? You pulled it off with great skill.”

“Well, what can I say. You brought out a new determination in me. You seemed to enjoy it if I’m not mistaken and it did bring out a marvellous competitive streak in you too.” Smirking mischievously, Lilith saw Zelda look at her with such softness it made her want to kiss her.

“Believe me Lilith, there isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t think about having you every which way possible. I love making you…I love watching you and hearing you…”

Lilith felt her heart skip several beats. Zelda trailed off and then made eye contact again. “I love being with you.”

A smile that came from somewhere deep in her chest lifted the corners of Lilith’s mouth. “I love being with you too, Zelda.”

The evening light filtered in through the bedroom window, bringing with it a chill. Reaching down, Zelda pulled a large faux fur blanket over the duvet. Settling one arm around Lilith’s waist, she wrapped the other around her back and Lilith did the same to her. The calming sound of Zelda's breathing lulled Lilith into a state of total relaxation. She allowed herself to give in and fall asleep, but not before she took another glance at the angelic form sleeping next to her. It would all work out in time, she knew.

Chapter 11: XI

Summary:

One thing that Lilith swore by was that listening is a key life skill; one that is advertised by many but demonstrated by few. In light of this, she said nothing and waited for Zelda to find her words, knowing that she would wait for as long as it took.

Z: “I haven’t been completely honest with you. The situation with my estranged husband is…a lot more complicated. He, um…well, he knows things about me. Things I haven’t told anyone. I’m afraid if I don’t do what he’s asking there will be terrible consequences for myself and my family. Unspeakable…”

Notes:

A shorter update as life is crazy busy right now (in all the good ways)

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day saw Lilith return to her apartment. Zelda’s evident sadness at not being with her for Christmas Eve lay heavy on her heart. Again, she reminded the redhead that they would be together in a few days for New Years. At that Zelda had smiled thinly.

Lilith grinned, “Don’t tell me you’ve grown so insatiable that a few days without me is unmanageable?”

Pursing her lips, Zelda did her best to appear aloof, but Lilith only laughed harder. Bringing the crook of her finger under Zelda’s chin Lilith’s grin faltered when she saw the deep sadness had returned to her eyes.

“Zelda…”

Blinking quickly, Zelda lifted her face away from Lilith in an offhand way. Remaining motionless for a moment, Lilith wondered how long she could continue to do this for. Whatever made Zelda look like that, she wanted to get rid of it. Did she feel unappreciated in some way? It was impossible to tell, but it hurt greatly. Casting her eyes to the ground, her hand dropped to her side showcasing just how helpless she felt when confronted with this barrier.

“Well, thank you for letting me stay with you,” Lilith said somewhat jaded. “I’ll see you in a few days?”

Zelda quirked an eyebrow. “Yes, I’ll get back to you on that. My niece may want to stay for longer than I originally thought.”

It was a lie, Lilith knew. A petty one, designed to keep her out for some reason that only Zelda knew. Lilith watched Zelda’s exterior visibly harden in front of her eyes. Something had triggered whatever was happening and right now, Lilith wanted to shower and sort out her thoughts. She didn’t have the energy to work this woman out at the moment, and she felt the sting of anger course through her at being left in the dark once again.

Eager to leave before the feeling grew, she inhaled sharply. “Alright, take care.”

Taking her handbag out of the car boot, she turned on her heel and ascended the familiar warm steps of her brownstone home. As soon as she reached her door, Lilith forced the key into the lock and threw her bag and coat on the nearest chair before bursting into tears. Her cries echoed across the room like the sound of a dog whining to be let outside. Was this…whatever you could call what she and Zelda had…was it worth this upheaval? Shaking her head, Lilith made her way to her bedroom. Wearily she removed her clothes, dropping them into her laundry hamper next to the bathroom door. Sweeping her long, thick hair over one shoulder, she walked into the bathroom and switched on the shower.

The sound of the water hitting the floor was like music to her ears. Stepping in, she adjusted the temperature, so the water was extra hot. Steam enveloped her body in waves, caressing her under the melodious thrum of the water. The water was scalding but she didn’t care. As she lathered herself with soap, the pelt of the water felt like heat therapy. It was almost numbing her skin into oblivion. It hurt, but she liked it. And maybe, just maybe she deserved to feel the pain. Perhaps it was a lesson. A reprieve for thinking that she could be happy.

Once she had cleansed herself of everything but her feelings, Lilith emerged from the shower and dried her hair. Voluminous wafting curls fell heavy around her face and down her back. Watching herself in the mirror she saw how her hair enshrouding her like a protective sheath. It was wild, billowing, and untamed. Usually, her hair made her feel strong, like a female Samson. Now she felt zapped of power somehow, as though her body required more rest than there was time to give it. She slipped into her favourite flannel nightshirt and poured herself a glass of wine.

Clover would be visiting later to have Christmas Eve dinner and stay over. A sense of comfort washed over Lilith at that thought. She would be safe with Clover, much like she always had been with her grandmother. Until then, Lilith decided she would watch a movie and order some takeaway. On days where she felt overly tired or sad, she resorted to old favourites. Today was a day for House on Haunted Hill, a corny classic that she enjoyed more for the sensuous appeal of Carol Ohmart and the cheesy wit of Vincent Price. Lilith began setting up the projector when she heard the bell ring outside. Unlatching the door, she ran down and collected her food. The delivery guy looked at her with a sense of wonder and she stalled at the door hoping that if he had a question, he would come out with it rather than keep her from her food. Instead, he waved and called out “Merry Christmas!” before making his way back out towards the road. “Merry Christmas!” Lilith replied.

Hurrying back to her apartment she nestled herself on the sofa and slowly began to relax. It was only when she allowed herself to become absorbed in the film and her food that Lilith realised how much tension she was carrying in her neck and shoulders. Sighing deeply, she sipped her wine and made herself more comfortable against the blankets and cushions. A wave of exhaustion hit her hard as her eyes grew heavier and heavier until the lids closed, and she was fast asleep. The repetitive sound of the doorbell startled her awake. Glancing at the time she jumped up from the sofa. “Shit!” Lilith darted down the stairs to open the front door and the blast of cold air that greeted her was enough to wake her up entirely.

Clover stood before her, warmly trussed up in sensible winter clothes, staring agog at Lilith half naked.

"Lilith! Are you alright m’dear?”

Standing back from the door slightly embarrassed, Lilith gestured to Clover to come in. “Yes! I’m fine, I fell asleep,” she gathered Clover to her in a bear hug, “it’s so good to see you, Clover. Merry Christmas!”

Clover took hold of her arms and looked at her in the dimly lit hallway of the old building. “It’s not like you to fall asleep early. Whatchu been doin’ to make you so tired?”

Shaking her head Lilith rejected the idea there was anything wrong, “just work and all the excitement of Christmas, I’m fine. Come on, let me take your bags.”

As always, Clover had arrived laden down with bags full of food and presents and it made Lilith’s heart swell. Her grandmother would be so happy if she could see them spending her favourite holiday together. Lilith took the largest bags and helped Clover up the stairs into the apartment. Inside, the projector whirred as the movie had stopped some time ago. Lilith switched it off and turned on the lights, showcasing the lack of effort she had put into making the place festive.

“Lilith, have I disturbed you?”

“No! Not at all, come in I’ll get everything set up.”

Lilith hurried to take out the plates and to disguise her face which was reddening by the second. She hadn’t even tidied the place and the mini-Christmas tree she had half heartedly put up the week before looked miserable in its corner. As she busied herself unpacking all the edible goods Clover had brought, Lilith made conversation and Clover responded. All the while, Lilith could feel Clover’s eyes boring into her as she moved. When the food was ready, they sat down at the kitchen breakfast bar.

“So, what have you been up to?” Lilith chewed the roast chicken and vegetables Clover had brought. It tasted hearty and nourishing, flooding her senses with all the goodness in which it had been cooked. After she had swallowed the mouthful of food, she made to answer the way she usually did.

“Planning and budgeting for an event in work. It’s been crazy all week with commissions, but it’s not enough. We have to keep finding innovative ways to make money in this climate.”

“Hmm,” Clover sounded displeased. “I don’t mean with work, my dear.”

Chewing slowly, Lilith looked over at her. Clover’s features were warm and welcoming, her eyes were like chocolate and honey combined in a glazed coating. Presently they retained that warmth but with an edge that seemed to say she knew there was more to Lilith’s wan appearance. They continued eating and Lilith changed the subject once she saw an opening.

"What are you doing for New Years?”

"My son and daughter are coming to stay. They’re both back from Europe after a year of travelling.”

“Oh,” Lilith’s heart sank. “That’s wonderful.”

“What about you?”

"Well, I have tentative plans to go stay with a friend. We’ll see.”

At this, there was a notable silence. Before it could become awkward, Lilith offered more roast potatoes and vegetables to the woman.

After a moment, Clover added, “You are always welcome in my home, Lilith, you know this, yes?”

Smiling gratefully, Lilith replied that she did know, and she was lucky for it. At this, Clover seemed satisfied and so she began reminiscing through the rest of the meal, as she always did, about herself and Lilith’s grandmother.

"You remember the times you stayed with Lilibet for Christmas, and we played card games?”

"Yes!” Lilith beamed, “you were a maven at poker. I could never quite match your skill.”

"Ah hah! Gin rummy is my game!” Clover chuckled, looking extremely pleased with herself. “I could beat anyone in this neighbourhood at gin rummy!”

“Yes, you could,” Lilith replied. “That reminds me…”

Clover cocked her head to one side as a grin spread Lilith’s mouth from ear to ear. Rising from her seat, Lilith gestured that she would return in a moment. She ran to her bedroom and flung open the wardrobe. There at the back of her closet stood the gifts she had bought for her old friend months before. Lilith was proud of her wrapping skills, the gifts looked beautiful without even being opened. Gathering them to her, she carried them into the living room where Clover’s jaw dropped.

“Lilith, what is this?”

"Oh, you know what time it is!” Lilith cackled.

“Young lady! That laugh is so cheeky, it sounds like a witches laugh!”

The words caused a chill to go through Lilith. It summoned an image of the redhead to mind that made her stop in her tracks. She had been trying so hard not to think of her.

"Lilith?”

Shaking her head, Lilith continued setting the presents down in front of Clover. Lilith rolled her eyes but made no comment. Returning to the task at hand she raised a finger that hovered over each individually wrapped gift as though she were selecting one for a queen.

"This one!” she announced, her finger landing atop the silver paper adorned with an image of a deer with embossed filigree antlers. Picking up the rectangular shaped gift, she presented it to Clover grinning widely. Carefully, Clover opened the paper as though she were afraid to rip it. Inside there was a wooden box, decorated with delicate carvings and leaf-shaped designs. Upon seeing it properly, Clover paused. Her eyes met Lilith’s who looked so excited she could burst.

“Lilith, you didn’t…”

"Open it,” Lilith cajoled, excitement adorning her features.

Clover’s eyes returned to the box. “It’s so heavy,” she laughed.

Gently, the woman ran her fingertip across the lid and at the midway point, she lifted the lid. Watching her closely, Lilith clasped her hands beneath her abdomen. She had wanted to give this to Clover the instant she saw it and she hoped upon hope that the woman would like it. Reaching inside, Clover stroked the red velvet interior of the box and brought her other hand to her lips. Lilith saw that she was moved, her eyes had welled up with tears and she silently wondered if the gift had been a bad idea. Gingerly, Clover lifted the token Lilith had placed inside the box.

“Lilith, I-is this what I think it is?”

“What do you think it is?”

Clover muttered something in Patois that Lilith vaguely understood to be a blessing. Lilith moved closer to her.

“Do you remember last Christmas you told me how you always admired Grandma Lilibeth’s deck of playing cards? You two used to play into the early hours and you would teach me from them. Well, I kept them. I want you to have them.”

The Creole woman shook her head in disbelief and amazement. “I can’t believe you remembered. You are such a sweet girl underneath all that hair! Lilith, I can’t take these, your grandmother would want you to have them, child.”

With a shake of her head, Lilith pushed the cards securely into Clover’s hands. “Grandma had a special bond with both of us. She gave me so much, including her home. This is the least I can give you of hers and the box is from me. This way you have a token from us both for always.”

Despite her protest, it was clear that Clover dearly wanted to accept the gift. The sight of those cards had brought back memories that the passing of time had dimmed in her mind.

Seeing that Lilith would not take any refusal, Clover acquiesced, “Thank you. Thank you so much.”

Laughing heartily, Clover wiped her eyes and turned to embrace Lilith.

"You are a good woman, Lilith Porter. I hope you know dis. Your grandmother would be so proud of who you are and all that you have accomplished.”

Lilith felt her eyes sting with tears. Would she really be proud of her? It was a nice thought.

“Thank you,” she mumbled.

“I have something for you too,” Clover smiled.

Rifling through the many bags she had brought with her; the lady produced a large package that was covered in distinctive red gift wrap. For a moment Lilith couldn’t place the familiar packaging but something told her it was expensive. Undoing the paper, she came face to face with a complete set of professional artists materials including several canvases, oils, gouache, and watercolours.

“Clover, my god…”Lilith’s mouth hung open.

"Do you like it? There were different colour palettes. I wasn’t sure what colours you had and what you were low on, so I thought it was best to get everything!”

"Oh I love it, but it’s…it’s so much…” Lilith gazed at her.

How on earth had the woman managed to pay for this she wondered. Of course, she couldn’t ask such a sordid thing, but she had noticed Clover looked especially elegant this evening. Her wardrobe was always bright and cheerful and right now she looked as though she had just walked out of Chanel.

"Clover, this must have cost so much money, I can’t-”

"I won’t hear of it. Will you pour me another glass of wine m’dear and let me tell you a little story of some good luck I have happened upon recently?”

Astounded, Lilith rose and mechanically moved to the kitchen where she poured them each a large glass of wine. As she returned and took her seat next to Clover, her eyes fell over the wonderful gift she had been given. They would be necessary for what she had in mind for the gallery. A light clink of glass caught her attention; Clover was gently knocking the glasses together and Lilith clinked hers back.

“Tell me, what’s this good luck?” Lilith queried.

"Well,” Clover began, taking a sip from her glass and setting it down in front of her, “I won a bit of money in the lottery.” The woman looked positively ebullient.

“That’s wonderful news, congratulations Clover!” exclaimed Lilith.

Clover took another sip of wine and pursed her lips together in delight. Lilith couldn’t help but notice that she seemed to have more to tell her and was taking her time about doing so.

“Out with it, please, the anticipation is killing me!”

Chuckling, Clover set her glass down and twisted towards Lilith, wetting her lips before speaking.

“It is…quite a substantial sum of money, Lilith. Life changing in fact.”

Lilith’s eyes widened. The lottery wasn’t something she played although she had no reason not to. It simply didn’t occur to her to buy a ticket.

"I am not getting any younger,” Clover continued, “and New York is only getting busier.”

Lilith stared in silence. She didn’t like where this was going.

Clover lifted her dark brown eyes, a light film of misty tears clouding them.

“I think now is the time for me to move somewhere quieter. Somewhere I can live out the remainder of my days in peace and quiet.”

For a moment only the sound of the second-hand ticking on the wall clock was audible. Lost for words, Lilith chided herself inwardly for not having considered this scenario. In her mind, she had foolishly believed Clover would always remain in the city. This was the only place she had ever truly belonged as far as Lilith knew. A childish instinct to cry rose from the pit of her stomach, but she pushed it away, understanding that it was an expected reaction that she should be happy for Clover.

"Where are you going to go?” was all she could ask.

“I’m not sure yet. My children want me to go to Jamaica. They say the pace of life is much easier there and the climate would be better for these old bones.”

Stretching her hands out, Clover studied the lines and liver spots that decorated her skin. Lilith looked upon them with fondness. They were the hands that had prepared many a meal for her, as well as a comforting embrace.

“Jamaica?” Lilith pondered aloud. “It must be beautiful, I’m sure, but your life is here. With us.”

Clover looked to her and smiled. “Lilith, I will always stay in touch with you, on that you have mi word. I will think about all of the options. I promise, I will make the best possible choice. Nothing is set in stone yet.”

Raising her glass to her lips again, Clover paused. “There is something else.”

“Oh?”

Supping her wine, Clover looked around the room before her eyes returned to Lilith’s.

"I know this apartment means a great deal to you, Lilith. God knows it means a great deal to me too, but I’m sure Lilibet wouldn’t want you squirreled away in a tiny corner of the city for the rest of your days. Have you given any thought to…maybe buying somewhere a little bigger for yourself? Something more comfortable?”

Lilith’s brow furrowed. Clover wasn’t exactly privy to her financial situation, but she must be aware that Lilith wasn’t in a position to upgrade just yet.

Then the realisation struck her.

Seeing the meaning in Clover’s eyes, Lilith shook her head in immediate protest.

“No, Clover, you can’t do that. I can’t-”

"Why not?”

“Because that money is yours and I absolutely can’t, I won’t take it.”

Clover’s face was a picture of discontent.

“Lilith, you need to have enough room for living properly. You deserve it and I would love to help you. I can do that now.”

“I will get it. I promise. But it will be by my own means and with my own money. You have worked hard all your life and you deserve to live well too.”

It pained Lilith to see how concerned Clover was for her. Deep down she knew the woman was correct in her assertion that a one-bedroom apartment was not ideal. Feeling unable to argue, Lilith reached for the gift she had been given. She stroked the rough edges of the canvas wondering what she would fill it with. The silence that fell seemed louder than any words that had been spoken and Lilith suddenly wished to be on her own to process things.

As if sensing how uncomfortable she was, Clover cleared her throat. “I had better go and get out of your hair.”

The woman gathered her possessions to her and stood to leave.

“You’re not in my hair, Clover. I love to see you. Always.”

“And I, you. It’s getting late though.”

With that, the two women made their way downstairs to the front door. When Clover turned to face Lilith and pulled her into a bear hug under the glow of the porch light, some of the tension dissipated.

“Thank you so much for the gifts and for your company,” Lilith muttered as she clung to the older woman.

“You’re welcome my dear and thank you too. Speak soon and Merry Christmas.”

“Merry Christmas, Clover.”

Picking up her bags, Clover made her way down the brownstone steps and across the way to her building. Lilith remained by the front door watching to ensure Clover was safe. As they always did, both women waved to each other from the stoops of their homes before returning inside.

The evening had been unlike other Christmases. Lilith felt none of the delirious highs that are often associated with the time of year, nor did she feel down. Not exactly. She couldn’t quite describe it other than feeling out of sorts. Clover’s company always brought her much joy and tonight had been no different, though she wished she had been more prepared for the visit. The news she had brought with her had caused a more defined emotion. It crept up through Lilith’s ribs and tugged slightly left of centre in her chest. What would she do if Clover left the country? She had never paused to consider how much of her safety and security revolved around the older woman.

Studying her reflection in the mirror, Lilith removed her earrings and placed them on top of the glistening white satin lining inside the box from which they came. Despite Clover’s compliments about her appearance, Lilith felt every year of her age as she stared at her face in the mirror. A heavy sigh left her lips, her shoulders shrugging as she shook her head slowly. Perhaps Clover’s news wouldn’t be such a bombshell if Lilith weren’t as preoccupied with her own worries. She couldn’t help it, she missed Zelda. The frustration she felt over the past few days hadn’t waned, but she couldn’t deny that she wanted to talk to the woman. Every time the temptation to take up her phone came to her, she reminded herself that it was up to Zelda to make a move after the way they had parted.

After Lilith removed her makeup and changed into a nightgown and silk green robe, she returned to the living room to clean up. Clearing the dishes, she tidied everything away into its rightful place and switched off the lights. Making her way to her bedroom, she walked over to the sash window and gazed at the bustling metropolis outside. The bright lights illuminated streets she had known almost her whole life, with their rich, colourful pavements, homes, and people.

Silently, Lilith pondered whether she would remain in New York herself. It was home, but she craved something else. Something quieter. After the difficulties she had experienced over the last week alone, the idea of a plane ticket to a foreign destination sounded highly appealing indeed. Maybe Clover was onto something. Absentmindedly, she ran her fingertips along the freckled, skin of her forearm, then drifted over to the paler side where several light blue veins peered up at her.

I want to touch every part of you…I want to make you beg me.

It was at that moment that the sound of her phone on the nightstand drew her attention away from the window. Moving over to her bed, she took up the phone. Before she pressed the power key to illuminate the screen, she already knew what was waiting for her. 

1 missed call from Zelda Spellman

It was from two hours ago and Lilith hadn’t heard it in the midst of conversation with Clover.

Opening the keypad, she typed; “I’m free now if you’re still up.”

Hitting send she was about to place the phone back on the nightstand when it began to ring. There it was right in front of her, the woman’s name.

L: “Hello?”

Z: “Hello, Lilith.”

Zelda sounded sad and angry. Lilith was so absorbed by the decibels in her voice that it took her a moment to register the tone.

Z: “I want to apologise for my behaviour. The weekend with you was wonderful and I ruined it by carrying on like that. Truthfully, I don’t believe I’ve ever had this kind of connection with anyone. It feels like we knew each other in a previous life…at least it feels that way to me. There are things I want to tell you, that you deserve to hear, but not like this. Not over the phone. However, here we are, and I don’t have much choice as this can’t wait.”

Lilith’s heart lurched. Zelda wanted to tell her things. What things? Why did she ache to hear them, whatever they were? She listened.

Z: “I’m sorry for how I acted this morning. That isn’t how I want things to be between us. I’m sorry I didn’t open up to you when you gave me the chance.”

One thing that Lilith swore by was that listening is a key life skill; one that is advertised by many but demonstrated by few. In light of this, she said nothing and waited for Zelda to find her words, knowing that she would wait for as long as it took.

Z: “I haven’t been completely honest with you. The situation with my estranged husband is…a lot more complicated. He, um…well, he knows things about me. Things I haven’t told anyone. I’m afraid if I don’t do what he’s asking there will be terrible consequences for myself and my family. Unspeakable…”

There was a horrible break in Zelda’s voice. It hurt Lilith to hear it, but she forced herself to do so.

Z: “He is hounding me to reconcile with him. The cost of not giving him what he wants would be unthinkable, but I can’t…I can’t…”

Zelda’s voice became muffled, and Lilith knew she had moved the phone away from her mouth to stifle the sound of tears. Suddenly, the sound of her breathing returned to the line.

Z: “I’m sorry if you feel misled. Truthfully, I do want more. I don’t know what to call it, but when you and I are together, it feels like things…just flow.”

Silence pervaded the air. Lilith had many questions and was unsure of where to begin.

Z: “Lilith?”

L: “Yes, I’m here. I’m listening. Can you tell me what these things are that he knows about you?”

The distinct sound of an irritated but knowing scoff echoed through the receiver.

Z: “You remember I told you I attended some orgies in the past?”

Lilith hummed into the receiver, uncertainty at what she was about to discover flooded her senses.

Z: “Many, many years ago well before our marriage, there was an incident at one such event. I became involved with a man who turned out to be married. When I discovered it, I ended the affair and cut ties with him, believing that to be the end of it. When I was offered the teaching job in Boston, I met my now estranged husband. I told you he was teaching at the university and gave me the offer of a job. Everything was fine initially; I served my probation without any hiccups and was made a permanent member of faculty. Around that time, I noticed he took more of an interest in me. There was no reason for me to think it strange, even though it was fast and seemed to come out of the blue. After we were married, things went sour rapidly. He warned me that if I ever left him there would be hell to pay. Up until now I thought these were just empty words, but he’s…”

Her voice broke so harshly that she couldn’t contain the sobs. Lilith felt her insides churn at the sound.

L: “Zelda, it’s alright. You can tell me.” 

Alouder sob reverberated from the other end of the line.

Z: “He’s threatening to tell the university about the affair. Worse than that, the man’s wife is one of the faculty. I dread to think what she’ll do if she finds out.”

Taking this in, Lilith reasoned, “But you didn’t know this man was married at the time, did you?”

Z: “No, I had no idea. But I’ve known this woman is his wife for some time. She ‘introduced’ me to him at the Christmas party last year and I stupidly pretended that I didn’t know him.”

Hearing Zelda’s breathing so erratic and panicked, Lilith wanted dearly to hold her. To let her talk this out and just hold her.

Z: “Can you…can you forgive me?”

L: “Forgive you? For what?”

The dreadful sound of Zelda’s cries alarmed Lilith. Her tone for the entire conversation was so harsh and cold, but it was directed at herself. It sounded like she believed she was somehow at fault when nothing she had said indicated this to be true.

Z: “For making such a mess of everything…”

L: “Zelda, it sounds like you’re taking too much blame in this. We all make mistakes, and it sounds like you did your best to remove yourself from it. It isn’t on you to inform this man’s wife that he was unfaithful. It does sound like you’re being blackmailed by your ex, which is a little more concerning.”

Lilith’s eyes roamed the room frantically as she heard Zelda sniffle. She felt utterly helpless while the woman was in distress.

Z: “I shouldn’t have done this over the phone, Lilith…and on Christmas Eve. I’m sorry, I-”

L: “Stop apologising. You needed to get that off your chest. I told you I’m here if you want to talk and I meant it. Is there some way I can help?”

Z: “You already have. It’s alright, I…I’ll sort it out. I just…sometimes it’s too much.”

L: “Zelda…you don’t have to wait until you’re at breaking point to tell me or to talk about things. I’m here.”

She paused. It was on the tip of her tongue to open up in the hope that it would encourage Zelda to do likewise.

L: “And thank you.”

Z: “For what?”

L: “For trusting me enough to tell me. I know that isn’t easily done.”

Z: “No. No, it’s not. Thank you for…for hearing me out. I was terrified of telling you.”

Nodding in understanding, Lilith hummed into the receiver.

L: “I’m glad you did. We all make mistakes, Zelda. It’s what we do to fix them that shapes our character.”

There was an odd silence that sounded almost like the line had dropped. Then she heard the sound of Zelda’s lips parting. Closing her eyes, she could see them, ripe and soft from vulnerability.

Z: “Can we…are you still free on New Years?”

Lilith’s eyes opened, the aquamarine windows to her soul that were suddenly glazed with happiness.

L: “I might be available. What did you have in mind?”

Z: “I’m not sure I’m able for your teasing,” a chuckle escaped her, and she went on, “but I can’t wait to see you.”

L: “Hmm, what a shame, I did have such good plans to tease you. I put a lot of thought into it too.”

Biting her lip, she listened for the sound of anticipation falling from Zelda’s lips and was surprised when in its place she heard a soft mewling.

Z: “As much as I enjoy it, I need…I um-”

Sitting up straighter immediately, Lilith interjected, “Tell me…”

Z: “I…I just want…”

Zelda sighed loudly.

Lilith’s heart began to sink. Why was this so damn hard for her to say what she wanted?

Z: “…to dissolve in your arms…”

Everything went quiet.

All the thoughts in Lilith’s head stopped in their tracks, as if the life source had been pulled from them. Zelda’s voice had barely been a whisper, but she had said it clearly. A deluge of hot tears formed at Lilith’s waterline as she scrambled for words for the first time.

L: “That’s all I want too. I’m here for you, Zelda. I’ll be ready when I see you.”

Z: “Thank you, Lilith.”

The crackle of emotion in her voice was impossible to hide. She sounded lighter somehow, as though something had lifted.

Notes:

As always, I love to hear what you think.

You can find me on Insta @michelle_thebookishyogi - if you do follow me please introduce yourself 🙂

Chapter 12: XII

Summary:

“Well, good morning!”

Lilith never blushed, yet she could feel the distinct sense of blood rushing to her cheeks and she hated every second of it. She felt more naked than ever without her makeup and hair done and she was certain the woman could tell. She couldn’t even hide behind her hair since she had caught it up in that stupid bun.

Notes:

Hi! So I've been away for a few months. Thank you to everyone who reached out. I haven't abandoned the fic and definitely won't do so. Things are extremely busy and I'm doing my best to keep posting when I can. Happy new year, I hope we all have a safer 2022!

If you want to follow me over on Instagram, I'm still @michelle_thebookishyogi

Chapter Text

The morning air was crisp in Manhattan. Frosted windscreens studded the kerbs while their moving counterparts passed by, melting from the efforts of the humans ensconced inside. This was 8am in New York on Christmas Day and for once the city was calmer than usual.  Condensation spread in a pretty cloud formation across Lilith’s window pane. Her breath mingled with the steam from her coffee, creating a luxurious heat that made her smile. Gazing out at the streets she felt yet again the burgeoning sense that as beautiful as it was, perhaps New York was not meant to be her forever home. The thought made her pause. “Forever home” was what they called it when dogs and cats are rehomed after a tough life. It wasn’t a phrase used when speaking about humans. Then again, sometimes she could relate more to the animals. 

Humming softly, she spied the O’Sullivan boy from down the street cycling in the direction of Tribeca. He worked nearby the gallery and often exchanged pleasantries with Lilith when their paths crossed. Recently she had seen him canoodling with a waitress from the local cafe and she smiled imagining that he might be off to see her right now.  Setting her cup down, Lilith stretched her arms high, curling her hands into fists as she reached into the stretch. Ever since she was a girl, she would rise early on Christmas morning and observe her surroundings. It was her time to gather her thoughts before anyone else had the opportunity to intrude. Over the years it had become a ritual of sorts. Whilst she was living with Adam it had been a chance to ready herself for whatever she may have to face. Lonely though it was, she had still felt pulled to do it. Now it was a gift she gave herself every Christmas, to restore the balance and remind herself that she deserved her time alone.  Yawning, she rubbed her eyes and picked up her phone.

“Yuletide Greetings to you and yours, Miss Spellman. I hope it’s a happy one!”

Hitting send, Lilith watched the screen for a moment. Immediately, double ticks appeared next to the message. So, Zelda was an early riser on this day too, she mused. The phone buzzed in her hand.

“Blessed Yule to you, Miss Porter. I have a feeling it will be. More so than usual.”

Lilith tapped her thumb against the screen quickly.

“Oh? Any particular reason? Other than the regular festivities?”

Already Zelda was typing back. “Well, my niece informed us rather late last night that she’s off on a camping trip with her friends for the weekend. My sister has been somewhat overbearing in her efforts to assure me that I am not a third wheel to her and her husband. Quite frankly, I can think of somewhere else I’d rather be…”

The words made Lilith feel drunk with anticipation.

“Do tell…”

“I’d rather show…”

Hastily, Lilith fumbled with the keypad.

“I have plenty of food and wine. Just bring yourself please.”

Lilth knew that Zelda would no doubt disregard the first part of this message. Glancing around, she hoped the efforts she had made to bring the festive season into the apartment would be enough to cheer Zelda up. The dull buzzing of her phone caught her attention.

“Oh, so you don’t want your Christmas present then?”

Lilith laughed aloud. “Does that mean you’re not my Christmas present?”

“Well...let’s just say you’re getting more than you bargained for this year. After all, you've been so good.”

Lilith’s breath hitched in her throat and her pulse quickened. More than she bargained for? What did that mean? When they had spoken the night before, Zelda had opened up unexpectedly. Did she have more to tell? Lilith pondered it over and over before considering that she might be overthinking things.

With a shake of her head she texted back: “Have I? What did I do to curry such good favour?

“More than you know.”

Stunned by the brevity of the response, Lilith stared at her screen waiting for further explanation. When there was no sign of it, she typed back: “Really? Care to tell me about it?”

“Maybe later. I’m looking forward to seeing what else you can draw out of me.”

Sighing, Lilith could barely contain herself. There were things she wanted to do to Zelda that would make even the most experienced sex workers blush. There was a stronger feeling that called out to her. A longing to understand the woman, to be let in. In the midst of that feeling there swirled something ambiguous. It was like a dark cloud that was threatening to overpower her natural desires. No matter what she did or said, Lilith couldn’t shake the feeling that there was something else wrong. It gnawed at her whenever she was alone, but the second she laid eyes on Zelda it lessened. The more time they spent together it seemed to dissipate. Last night was the first time she had felt it lift so clearly and her heart lifted with it. Silently, she hoped it was gone for good. 

“That makes two of us. What time should I expect you?”

“I can be there in an hour if that suits you?”

Grinning, Lilith opened her closet and selected a new dress to wear for Zelda’s arrival.

“That suits me fine. Are you hungry?”

“If you mean for food, then no.”

Lilith’s eyebrows arched as her eyes roved over the words.

“And if I don’t mean food?”

Watching the screen, she waited excitedly to see what Zelda would say. When there was no response she lay the phone down on her bed and made her way to the shower. As the hot water pelted down, and rising steam filled the tiled bathroom, Lilith disrobed and stepped into the stream from the shower head. Scenarios were filling her mind of all the ways she could greet Zelda. Perhaps she could startle her by opening the door to her apartment stark naked. Or maybe she could wear the stockings and garter belt she had bought the week before. 

Reaching for her favourite shampoo, Lilith lathered the coconut scented liquid into her hair. 

“Hmm…”

Twirling her fingertip around a stray tendril, she watched as it left a coating of suds on her thick mane. Lifting her hair, she threw her head forward and rinsed the shampoo off. Maybe she would straighten her hair today and surprise Zelda with a completely different look. Raking her nails through her hair, Lilith applied conditioner and pondered how she could change her appearance in some way. Once she had rinsed her hair again and finished washing her body, she switched the water off, still lost in thought about how she could make this day extra special for Zelda.

Tying a towel around her torso, she clipped her hair up in a messy bun and moisturised her face. Lilith grimaced at her reflection in the mirror. She had never liked wearing her hair up. As a child, her mother would make her wear it in a bun or a ponytail when she went to school. It showed off her face, her mother said. The moment she had spied her mother walking away from the school, Lilith had let her hair down, making sure to scrape it back up before school finished for the day. It made her feel dull and listless. A look that had no place for spending time with Zelda. She studied her mane and pondered the many ways she could tame it so that Zelda could make a fine mess of it.

The sudden sharp ring of the doorbell startled her. That couldn’t be her, surely. Making her way to the window, she leaned against the pane of glass. There, outside the entrance to her building, LiIith saw her. Wrapped in a magnificent coat made of feathers as dark as oil, stood Zelda Spellman. Her hair was coiffed in elegant curls that spilled out over her shoulders and she seemed to emit an effortless glow.

“Fuck…” Lilith murmured to herself. She was nowhere near ready but she couldn’t leave Zelda waiting either. Grabbing the nearest dressing gown, Lilith ran downstairs. The woman’s silhouette came into view behind the frosted glass in the entrance doors. Grappling with the heavy locks on the door, Lilith silently cursed herself for not getting ready earlier. The door opened, revealing Zelda in all her luminescent splendour. Up close, she was even more beautiful. 

“Well, good morning!”

Lilith never blushed, yet she could feel the distinct sense of blood rushing to her cheeks and she hated every second of it. She felt more naked than ever without her makeup and hair done and she was certain the woman could tell. She couldn’t even hide behind her hair since she had caught it up in that stupid bun.

“Good morning! Time rather got away from me in the shower, I-”

“Aren’t you going to invite me in?”

Lilith stopped, surprised at the interjection. Zelda was grinning widely at her evident discomfort. Stepping back from the doorway, Lilith gestured for her to pass but Zelda immediately followed, reaching for her as she went. Before Lilith knew what was happening, the woman had pressed her lips to hers and her arms were winding around her waist. For a split second, Lilith felt as though she might cry but she stifled the urge. Without her armour of wavy curls, mascara, eyeliner and foundation she felt smaller, insignificant and far from attractive. Her lack of confidence revealed itself in the weak kiss she gave Zelda. Even when the woman moved in closer Lilith couldn’t bring herself to reciprocate. She didn’t want Zelda to see her like this, so plain and...ordinary.

“Lilith…?”

Zelda lifted her face away to look at her properly. Lilith felt herself stiffen as the overwhelming desire to reach up and let her hair down clawed at her insides. swallowing hard, she managed a smile.

“You look incredible,” Lilith said softly, tucking her dressing gown around her waist and securing the tie tightly. 

“Thank you, so do you.”

The words were genuinely meant, Lilith could feel it. She closed the front door and sighed inwardly. Hurriedly she turned and guided Zelda upstairs to her living room. 

“Can I get you some tea, or…?” Lilith trailed off. When there was no answer, she spun around coming face-to face with the redhead again.

If it weren’t for her own awkward demeanour, Lilith could see Zelda had been going in for another kiss. She had stopped short of doing so when Lilith recoiled.

“Are you alright?”

“Mm, no,” Lilith clumsily cradled her arms around herself. “I wasn’t expecting you so soon and I haven’t even done my hair-”

“You look beautiful.”

Before she knew what was happening, Zelda’s hands were cradling her face and Lilith blinked back tears as she felt the softness of the woman’s lips descend on hers. In that second her fears dissipated. Zelda’s lips soothed her with each gentle movement. It was the kind of kiss that suggested Zelda recognised what she was thinking and wouldn’t stop until every ounce of Lilith’s worry had been melted under her touch. Without realising it, Lilith had sunk into the kiss, her weight leaning against Zelda whose arms were wrapping tighter around her by the second. A rush of emotion spilled over Lilith suddenly. Maybe it was the sincerity in Zelda’s expression at how pleased she was to see her. How she didn’t flinch at the sight of her without makeup. Lilith felt more naked and raw than ever and yet, that whispered affirmation, “ You look beautiful ”, had unleashed her confidence once more. Finding her strength, she straightened up and pulled Zelda closer, all the while their tongues lapping longer at each other. Reaching up, Lilith took the lapels of Zelda’s coat and tugged them open, revealing the expanse of the woman’s marble-like skin across her chest. The need to have Zelda was taking over her like never before and with that, Lilith pressed her lips and tongue under the woman’s ear, sucking and kissing at the spot that she knew would elicit her fervour. Already Zelda was panting for her and the sound drove Lilith to sink her teeth against the skin. 

“Oh god, yes! Lilith, please!”

Abruptly, Lilith stopped. Zelda’s eyes widened in shock.

“Don’t stop! Please, Lilith, what’s wrong?”

Playfully, Lilith licked her lips. She was walking around the woman, grinning widely.

“Nothing...I just...wouldn’t want to ruin that beautiful coat,” she teased. Standing behind Zelda, Lilith reached around and undid the belt, then slid the coat off Zelda’s back before carefully hanging it up on the coat rack. No sooner had she turned her back and Lilith felt the strong, gentle hands on her back first, then moving up to comb softly through the strands of her long hair that were proving too heavy for the hair clip she had used to secure them.

“Mmm, you smell amazing,” Zelda hummed against her neck. Lilith’s jaw dropped, a shiver travelling through her spine that Zelda no doubt felt. Steadying herself, Lilith turned and quickly locked her mouth to Zelda’s. She felt the woman's hands move up her neck and around to the back of her head where she released her hair from the bun. Already Lilith felt better as each lock fell heavy over her shoulders, weighted by water. 

“I better go and dry my hair. I’ll try to be quick. Can I get you anything?”

“Can I watch?” Zelda asked.

Lilith cocked her head to one side. “You want to watch me dry my hair?”

With a coy laugh Zelda nodded, “Amongst other things.”

With a sly grin and a beckoning finger, Lilith led the way into her bedroom. Opening a large closet door, she proudly stood by as Zelda processed what she was seeing. Inside the closet was an impressive array of hairstyling tools and products. Each one bore a different label, but all of them looked expensive.

“Oh my goddess...this...is this what you use to do your hair? Every day?”

Chuckling Lilith shook her head. “Well, most days, yes. I do give my hair a break too.”

“I should hope so,” Zelda remarked as she ventured forward and picked up a bottle of shampoo that was designed to bring about sleek and smooth results to wild and unruly hair. “What one did you use today?” 

“The Eucalyptus one,” Lilith pointed to a large container with elegant script on the label. “I use different scents depending on my mood and of course depending on what style I want on a given day.”

“This is fabulous,” Zelda smiled, “and what style are you planning on today? Or should I say were you planning on before I rudely barged in and robbed you of your ritual.”

Lilith laughed, “I suppose I can forgive you, it’s wonderful to see you and...well, you do look stunning.” Biting her lip a little, Lilith blushed at her own candour. Zelda’s eyes were fixed on her and she looked quite moved by the statement.

“It’s wonderful to see you too.”

Lilith’s breath hitched in her chest. She wanted so badly to tell Zelda how much she had missed her and that she had dreamt about her every night since they met….but she couldn’t do that. The woman had so much on her plate, there was no way she could deal with this...whatever this was. Realising that she hadn’t said anything and Zelda was looking a little nervous in the silence, Lilith took up her hairdryer.

“Do you ever let it dry naturally?” Zelda asked.

“Occasionally, but it’s...pretty wild,” she laughed in a mildly self-conscious way.

There was a tangible pause before Zelda spoke again. “I’d love to see it.”

“Oh…”

The silence was loud and Lilith felt it all around her. She had never let anyone but her grandmother, Clover and her parents see her natural hair before. Even Adam had never known what her hair was like in its untamed state. 

“Please?”

Lilith looked up at her again. The redhead was keen to see her like this and it unnerved Lilith. Still, she could think of no reasonable objection and it would take at least an hour to style her hair properly. It would after all be rude to keep her guest waiting for so long.

“Alright, but if you’re repulsed by what you see, remember it was you who asked!”

Acquiescing, she returned the hairdryer to its place in the closet. It was on the tip of her tongue to ask Zelda why she was so curious about her hair in this way when she heard a sound of a zip behind her.

“I don’t think I could ever be repulsed by anything about you Lilith. I only hope you can say the same for me.”

Turning around, she saw Zelda had removed the dress she was wearing and it now lay draped over the end of the bed. Zelda was perched on the mattress, leaning back, revealing an exquisite deep navy lingerie set. Next to her pale skin the colour seemed to shine and made her hair gleam all the more.

“Oh my god…” Lilith whispered in shock.

“Now what could we do to help your hair dry quicker naturally? Hmm?” Teasing, Zelda tossed her hair back with a big smile. Lilith felt a surge of wetness pulsate between her legs. She couldn’t take much more of this.

“Do you like it?” Zelda asked, gesturing to the lingerie.

Taking a step forward, Lilith nodded. “You look incredible. Good enough to eat.”

“Don’t tease me, Lilith.”

Seeing the blush that crept across the redhead's cheeks made Lilith feel powerful. She knew she could ask her to do almost anything right there and then and she would gladly comply. Yes, it was power and she certainly lusted after her, but there was more to it. A feeling deep inside her that wanted to come out, to be realised and experienced, even if she couldn’t name it.

Undoing her dressing gown, Lilith was suddenly very aware of the damp towel still wrapped around her torso. Dropping both to the floor, she saw Zelda’s eyes flicker and illuminate with desire. Moving to straddle Zelda, she examined every feature of the woman’s face. Zelda was simmering with excitement and Lilith knew the longer she left her waiting, the wetter they would both become.  

Slowly, she reached up and tucked a strand of Zelda’s auburn hair behind her ear. Drawing her fingers along the woman’s cheekbone and down, running her thumb over her bottom lip, Lilith took in every line, every subtle mark of texture. She ran her fingers down the column of Zelda’s throat, feeling her pulse quicken along her jugular. Zelda watched her, struggling to keep her composure at the touch she was aching for. Basking in the glow of her, Lilith stroked her collarbone and traced along the sapphire bra strap, catching her finger under it and snapping it hard on the porcelain skin. Zelda moaned in delight, swallowing hard as the torture continued. Then, Lilith sought her eyes and Zelda responded with an obedient gaze. Yes , Lilith thought, let me watch you as you unravel for me.

Tracking her fingertips along the cup of the bra, she could see the outline of the hardened nipple sheathed beneath it. Pouting, she moaned at Zelda who was glaring at her for this prolonged teasing.

“Lilith….”

“Hmm?”

Lilith…

“Yes, we’ve established that’s my name dear, don’t wear it out or I’ll make you buy me a new one.”

Zelda’s eyes glowered. “Stop teasing me this instant!”

“Ooh!” Lilith removed her hand and pushed herself off Zelda’s lap. “As you wish.”

No sooner had she stood up and Lilith felt herself being pulled back on top of Zelda who was furtively removing her bra. 

“Fine, if you’re going to be like this you should know that two can play at that game,” Zelda huffed before pressing Lilith’s lips to hers and bringing her hands up to her breasts. Lilith felt the supple, soft skin under her fingers and pressed against it. The kiss became deeper with both women’s lips locking and sliding harder and harder until Lilith shimmied on top of Zelda’s thighs. Pulling her lips away, she heard the distinctive beginning of a whimper but Zelda caught herself before it could develop. So she was still holding back. Watching her, Lilith’s hand travelled up Zelda’s navel, in between her naked breasts and lingered over the marble column of her throat. Gently, she let her fingertips dance over the goose-pimpled flesh as Zelda stared at her, determined not to give in. The resolve to break her grew so strong that Lilith bit her bottom lip, a move designed to disarm the redhead before she took hold of her throat. Zelda’s eyes grew wide in a gorgeous glower as she realised what game Lilith was playing.

“Do you want me, Zelda?”

The response was a nod and it made Lilith cross.

“What did I tell you about communicating?” As she said it, she raised her other hand near the side of Zelda’s thigh, implying that a smack was coming. Seeing the movement, Zelda seemed to hesitate. Lilith raised an eyebrow, “Is that a yes?”

Zelda’s eyes locked with hers and all Lilith could see was a defiant stare. In one swift move, she brought her bare hand down hard on the soft skin. Zelda cried out, her neck arching below Lilith’s grasp as the most beautiful sound left her mouth. Lilith watched her, feeling herself grow wetter by the second. 

“More…” came the soft croak of Zelda’s voice.

“What was that dear? You seem to have lost your voice…” 

Raising her arms above her head, Zelda made eye contact with her and uttered the words Lilith had dreamt of hearing.

“I want you, Lilith. I want more and I want it harder.”

Stunned, Lilith moved to kiss her and felt Zelda’s knee pressing into her stomach. She was being pushed back and she looked at Zelda in confusion.

“I want your mouth on me...followed by your fingers...as many as I can take…”

Zelda looked like she was on some sort of drug, as if the very thought of what she was asking Lilith to do was enough to put her under the influence. Ecstatic, Lilith traced her fingers over Zelda’s inner thighs. The touch made the redheads legs shake and a large grin appear on Lilith’s face. Slowly, she sank down until her knees hit the floor.

“I’m so glad you’re getting better at asking for what you want, Zelda. However…”

The redheads brow furrowed.

“I didn’t hear the magic word.” Rubbing her hands together, Lilith stretched the same hand behind her, preparing for a harder smack. When Zelda didn’t respond, Lilith began to tut.

“Oh dear...do you want me to smack you?”

Zelda’s frustrated squirm confirmed that she did and Lilith obliged. It was harder this time and the reaction matched it. Lilith marvelled at how well Zelda took the slap. It seemed to satisfy her immensely as she writhed, her hips swivelling to seek out Lilith’s palm and when she found that Lilith had taken it away, Zelda displayed the most incredible pout.

“My, my. You do look delicious when you’re misbehaving,” Lilith grinned.

Zelda bucked her hips furiously, trying to get to Lilith’s hand.

“Ohhh...I know what you’re looking for Zelda dear but you’re going about it all the wrong way.”

“Lilith, try as you might, I will not beg.”

Lilith felt herself chuckle, which only served to frustrate Zelda more. “We’ll see about that.”

Spreading Zelda’s legs wider, Lilith spied the patch on her underwear that was already sodden with evidence of her desire. “Hmm,” she moaned, bringing her fingers to it and gliding back and forth over the area. “So beautiful,” Lilith sighed. Hearing Zelda moan as her strokes became firmer, Lilith moved in closer. Her eyes darted up and caught Zelda watching her intently. With one long, langurous lick from back to front, Lilith ran her tongue over the material. Shivers erupted along Zelda’s legs, her hips twitching as she struggled to keep still. Resting her chin on Zelda’s lower abdomen, Lilith toyed with the edge of her underwear.

“Mmm, tell me where you want my mouth, Zelda.”

Croakily, Zelda groaned, “Right therrre,” as Lilith’s fingers slowed down over her centre.

“Just...here?”

Zelda lifted her head, “Yes! Right there, p-” she hissed, before letting her head fall.

“What was that? Did I hear the start of the magic word?”

Lilith watched as the damp patch in front of her spread. In her peripheral vision, she could see a slight gyration in Zelda’s hips. She had her and they both knew it.

“Just one little word, Zelda. That’s all it takes...and I’ll give you everything you want.”

Zelda’s entire body trembled. Grazing her fingertips against the skin of her inner thighs, Lilith continued. “I’ll give you everything you need, Zelda...if you say the word. Will you say it for me?”

Zelda was struggling now. Her hands were clenched into fists and her knuckles whitened.

“I can see I’m already having quite the effect on you,” Lilith added quietly. Slowly she planted kisses along Zelda’s thighs before whispering so softly, “Let me kiss it better…”

Zelda heaved and a loud cry fell from her lips. “Lilith!”

“Say it for me...I know you can. The sooner you say it, the sooner I can take care of you.”

Gasping suddenly, Zelda whispered, “Please…”

At once, Lilith slid her underwear to the side and enclosed Zelda’s vulva between her lips. Zelda whined, pushing herself further into Lilith’s mouth, grasping at the sheets as she moved. Lilith set about lapping at Zelda’s folds with quick darts of her tongue. Then, she let her tongue loll over Zelda’s clit, a move that was met with an uproarious cry. Needing to remove Zelda’s underwear, Lilith broke the contact, eliciting a startled whimper at the loss of her mouth from Zelda. Quickly, she slid the drenched material from Zelda’s legs and then returned her mouth to her lover’s saturated cunt. The redhead tasted sweet, like a form of exotic fruit that Lilith never knew existed. She wouldn’t admit it but the woman’s natural taste was intoxicating and the cause of many a night’s broken sleep as Lilith had fantasised about being with her.

“Oh my…uhh yesss, right there!”

Fixing her gaze on Zelda’s face, Lilith dragged her tongue to the back of her mouth and using her back teeth, bit down to produce more saliva. Hovering her tongue just above Zelda’s clit, she allowed the liquid to pool forward.

“Lilith, don’t stop, I-OHHHH!”

The sensation of her lips massaging and sucking at the most sensitive part of the woman took instant effect. Lilith delighted in watching her thrash wildly, then feeling Zelda’s fingers in her hair as she held her to the point that needed her attention. Obediently, Lilith sucked and licked her clit, building a steady pace gradually that had Zelda humming and moaning her name.

“Oh god, Lilith don’t stop...I need it…”

Lilith looked up at her, whilst continuing her ministrations. Zelda looked like she was about to crack and disintegrate entirely and it nearly took Lilith’s breath away. Reaching up she took one of Zelda’s hands, at the same time she flicked her tongue over the swollen bud between her lips. 

Zelda’s back rose up off the bed. “Ahhh! Ohhhh god!” Lilith felt her grasp her hand tighter. “Yes, more, please!”

Again, Lilith flicked her tongue, bringing her fingers up to help. Adding strong, firm strokes she could feel Zelda shaking beneath her.

“Lilith, please...please...please...I need you…”

Lilith felt her heart beat with such force at the words that the only thing she could do was go harder. Sucking, licking, nipping with her teeth, stroking with her fingers, and making a beautiful mess of Zelda was all she could think of. She was going to take her, but first she wanted to make her lose it like never before.  Pressing the pad of her thumb against Zelda’s clit, Lilith licked her, letting her tongue slide inside of her entrance. 

“Mmmm, yes!”

Zelda’s fingers pressed around Lilith’s fist. Lilith felt like she was drowning in her need to tell this woman how she felt. How she wanted to know everything about her, all her tricks and eccentricities that she wouldn’t reveal to the world. Lilith wanted to know. She ached to tell her, but she couldn't, so she told her with her tongue, with her lips, and with her fingers. Tears threatened to fall as she heard Zelda begin to lose it. She wanted to tell her that she was the sexiest woman she’d ever seen, that she could imagine herself building a life with her and that she would protect her at all costs if the woman would only trust her.

“Oh, Lilith…Lilith…I’m coming...”

Lilith slid her tongue out and then back in, using her thumb to rub and caress Zelda’s clit.

“It’s so good...I...oh god...Lilith...Lilith please…I need you…”

Lilith fought the tears that were forming, she couldn’t let Zelda see her like this, she already felt more naked than she wanted to. Feeling Zelda tug at her, she glanced up and saw the most wanton and vulnerable look etched on Zelda’s face. The woman was unbelievably close and she wanted Lilith closer to her. As she moved, Lilith noticed that Zelda’s lips were moving in a series of inaudible whispers. With a clumsy movement, Zelda pulled her closer, nudging her hair out of the way with the tip of her nose. Then Lilith heard her.

“I want you to make love to me, Lilith, I want you so much.”

Lilith blinked in astonishment. Then, Zelda was touching her face, grazing her lips against Lilith’s cheek and down to her mouth. Stunned, Lilith kissed her softly, reaching up to push her hair back and trail her fingertips along Zelda’s bare arm. Closing her eyes, she bathed in the moment as Zelda’s words echoed around her. The woman sounded like she was in a trance as she kept repeating the words over and over against Lilith’s lips.

“Make love to me, Lilith, make me yours.” 

Lilith inhaled sharply. Opening her eyes, she saw the pleading expression in Zelda’s eyes, how deeply she meant every word of it. Bring her arms around Zelda’s waist, Lilith pulled her in and lifted the duvet so they could both slide under the covers. Even as she lay Zelda down, she could still hear her soft murmurs.

“Shh, it’s okay, I’m here,” she stroked Zelda’s lips with her thumb. Under the covers, she felt Zelda wrap her legs around her and Lilith groaned at the heavy wetness that was calling in between her own legs. As much as she could sense herself growing wetter, she wanted to satisfy Zelda more than herself. It struck her as odd that she had never felt this before, actually genuinely wanting to put this woman’s needs before her own. To that end, she seized Zelda’s lips and found the woman returned the kiss with equal fervour. Their tongues danced slowly with Zelda coating herself in her own residual arousal. Lilith traced her fingertips delicately over Zelda’s neck causing her to shiver all over. The kiss was deeper than before; both of them using their mouths to communicate the feelings they didn’t dare to speak. Feeling Zelda’s fingertips trail around her hips, Lilith shivered. Never before had someone touched her like this, where it was just for her to enjoy. Although the besotted look on Zelda’s face suggested she was enjoying it immensely too. Still, it was different. Each caress, every kiss, it was all being done to please her and she knew if Zelda felt she hadn’t done it right she would do it over and over until Lilith was satisfied. Even as she drew her fingertips lightly over Zelda’s chest and the woman shook with pleasure, Lilith was immediately gasping at the redhead’s touch, stroking her navel.

“Do you want me, Lilith?”

Lilith gazed down at her. Of course she wanted her. Zelda and her impenetrable aura had created a longing within her that Lilith hadn’t known possible. Taking Zelda’s hand, she guided it in between her thighs and spasmed as she not only felt her own ache being tended to but she saw the pleasure on Zelda’s face, knowing she was the cause of this.

“What do you think?” Lilith teased, but only for a moment. Sinking down, she looked into Zelda’s eyes, letting her fingers find the same spot she had been looking after minutes before. The woman was getting lost again, Lilith could see her luxuriating in the touch except she was stroking Lilith too, beckoning her to join her in ecstasy.  Giving in, Lilith sank down further, gently pushing two fingers into Zelda’s drenched depths. At the same time, she felt the heavenly sensation of Zelda’s first and middle finger sliding into her. Lilith hadn’t realised just how wet she was until she heard Zelda gasp in surprise, her eyes widening.

“You feel amazing,” Zelda whimpered. Shaking, Lilith stroked her cheek. “So do you.”

The strokes were slow and soft, creating a warmth that spread like tingles down Lilith’s spine. It was unlike any form of sex she’d had before. The connection was so strong that she was pulled to Zelda’s gaze. There was no tearing her eyes away to distract herself, she had everything she needed right here.  As the tension in their movements grew, Zelda lifted her head and shoulders up.

“Hold me…” she whispered.

Lilith threaded her arm around the back of her neck, her hand resting on Zelda’s shoulder. Zelda nudged her lips into the crook of Lilith’s neck. Lilith kissed her shoulder before she let out a loud cry. Zelda was stroking her clit and whispering to her.

“How much do you want me, Lilith?

Gasping at how fast Zelda’s fingers were working, Lilith managed to utter, “More than anyone...oh god, don’t stop…”

Turning to face Zelda, she saw the same fevered expression on the woman’s face.

“Tell me what you need, Zelda. Let me...let me take care of you...please…”

Zelda convulsed, whether at the speed of Lilith’s thumb working her clit, or the request Lilith wasn’t sure, but she loved what she saw.

“I need you…”

“You have me…”

Zelda threw her head back as she cried out in a rush of ecstasy. “Do I? Are you mine, Lilith?”

Hearing her pulse in her eardrums, Lilith couldn’t run, there was nowhere to look but in Zelda’s eyes. As if knowing what Lilith’s first reaction would be, Zelda began sliding in and out of her quicker, at the same time as Lilith quickened her pace.

“Are you mine?” Lilith posed the same question back at her. For a split second, Zelda’s eyes returned to that same piercing stare she had when she first entered the art gallery so many weeks ago. Both women stared at each other, working their fingers harder to see which one of them would break first. 

“It’s terribly rude to answer a question with a question-”

“My house, my rules. Answer the question, Zelda,” she angled her fingers upwards just at the spot that was Zelda’s undoing, “are you mine?”

Zelda’s hips bucked, she grimaced as she fought the spiral of orgasm, still keeping her eyes on Lilith. Despite how much she wanted it, Zelda stroked Lilith in return and it was all Lilith could do not to scream.

Suddenly, Zelda’s eyes slammed shut. Lilith watched her with growing frustration. Was this how she got out of talking about her feelings? The woman must feel something for her surely. Without warning, Zelda’s fingers were deeper inside her and Lilith stifled a moan. Leaning down to kiss her, she found Zelda’s lips welcoming even though her eyes were still shut. The softness of her lips was irresistible. It made Lilith want to crawl under the covers with her and kiss her until they both ran out of strength. The sound of their lips mixed with the soft wetness beneath her fingertips was driving Lilith to breaking point. Forcing herself to break the kiss, she waited until Zelda’s eyes opened. When they did, they were flooded with something more palpable than mere desire and it made Lilith’s knees go weak.

“Harder, Lilith...I’m so close…”

Dragging her fingers rhythmically in and out, Lilith added a third finger. Zelda’s eyes glowed, her jaw dropping as she hummed in satisfaction. Lilith picked up the pace, watching every move Zelda made. She could watch her endlessly. 

As Zelda edged closer to bliss, she reached up to pull Lilith in for a kiss. Lilith applied her free hand to her throat, gently pushing her back down.

“Lilith,” she purred.

“Yes, Zelda?”

“Kiss me…”

Lilith cocked her head to one side and pouted. Running her forefinger along Zelda’s cheek she sighed.

“As appealing as that does sound, you haven’t answered my question.”

At this, Zelda stiffened visibly. Lilith returned her gaze, smiling gently. When there was no response, she ceased stroking the woman. The whimper that escaped Zelda’s throat was pitiful, so much so that she blushed at her own lack of control.

“You are beautiful, Zelda and I like what I know about you as a person. But, you can’t expect me to admit something that intimate to you when you have the tendency to sulk and not talk to me about what’s bothering you. I think I’ve been open enough with you and I’ve told you I’m here if you ever want to talk to me about anything. This...whatever this is... it’s a two-way street and I don’t feel you’re being fair to me.”

The weight of the words she had wanted to say for several weeks, lifted from her chest as she spoke. Lilith saw in Zelda’s face that she had expected this and yet still her eyes were glistening from tears.

“You’re right, I’m sorry Lilith. I...I got carried away...I…” she trailed off and a dart of anger stabbed at Lilith’s heart.

“So you didn’t mean it then?”

Zelda looked at her in surprise. “Mean what exactly?”

“Any of it. You said you needed me, you asked if I was yours. Did you mean any of it?”

Lilith could feel her temper surfacing. She had never felt as wanted as Zelda made her feel only moments ago. The idea that it was merely a facade wrenched at her heart.

“Of course I meant it!” Zelda sat up and tried to hold her, but Lilith pushed her hands away. “Lilith! All I meant was I got carried away in the moment with how I felt, I don’t want to put you under any pressure.”

Lilith couldn’t bear the thought of being used again. She needed to know she was loved. She deserved it. The woman might have been mesmerising but no one was worth losing your self-respect for. 

“I meant it,” Zelda said softly. Lilith felt the sting of tears forming and she closed her eyes and looked away. When she felt Zelda placing gentle kisses on her forehead, her nose, her cheeks and finally her lips, she couldn’t hold it any more. Tears spilled from her eyes but she kissed Zelda. Torn between the promise she had made to herself long ago to never let herself be weak, and the comfort and warmth she felt radiating from Zelda, Lilith cried silently. 

“I’m sorry, Lilith. Please forgive me,” Zelda whispered. “Please, the last thing I would ever want to do is hurt you. I’ve never known anyone like you. I don’t want to lose you.” The woman’s voice was shaking as she too gave in to the emotions she felt. 

“Please, Lilith. I’m so sorry.” Zelda combed her fingers through Lilith’s hair. It felt soothing, but also there was a panic coming from the woman’s touch and Lilith reluctantly clasped her arms around her waist. 

“Lilith, I…”

Maybe it was too much to ask or to expect. Not just from Zelda, but from anyone. Adam hadn’t loved her for who she was, he had spent years trying to make her into his little housewife. Her mother had never liked it when Lilith tried to be herself. 

“I…”

Whatever it was that had shifted between them during sex was powerful and it certainly felt loving to Lilith. That was what she wanted, to be loved like that. Not just like that, in every way. The trust she had with Zelda when they were together was unmatched. It was so tiring feeling like she was the only one loving people, accepting them as they were.

“I love you…”

Lilith’s eyes shot open, Zelda was staring at her, tears streaming down her cheeks. An overwhelming feeling drowned out the chatter of her mind.

“I love you too…”

The relief that crossed Zelda’s face made Lilith smile as she leaned in and kissed her. Zelda’s lips pressed deeply against her and Lilith felt the genuineness of her words in her actions. Carefully, Zelda lifted Lilith’s arms around her neck, “hold me close, let me show you.” Swallowing hard, Lilith crossed her arms behind Zelda’s back. The woman was gazing at her so intently that she was slightly startled by the feeling of her fingers returning to where she had left off. Lilith began to tremble. There was nowhere to run and for the first time in her life, she didn't want to. Secure in Zelda’s hands and under her watchful eyes, she felt herself slip under the intoxicating spell of pleasure. Zelda was penetrating her smoothly, at just the right pace, stroking her at the same time. 

“I love you, Lilith.”

Gasping, she closed her eyes.

“Look at me.”

Obeying, she looked under hooded lids. Zelda was caressing her firmly and kissing her tenderly.

“I want to make you come for me. I want to take care of you, Lilith.”

A delicious moan fell from Lilith’s lips as she gathered Zelda closer. The woman’s lips were softer than anything she had ever felt.

“Come for me...please...let me take care of you.”

It was happening and Lilith felt the spiral become bigger and bigger, growing in the pit of her stomach and whirlpooling outwards.

“Oh god, Zelda…” she whimpered against her lips.

“I love you...I love you so much…”

Zelda’s eyes were like two beautiful lights guiding Lilith home. Allowing the orgasm to take control, she shuddered and gasped as it ripped through her.

“Ahhhh, Zelda…”

Lilith felt two fingers lifting her chin. Zelda was biting her lip as she watched her writhe in ecstasy. The woman’s hand was stroking her face as she came hard, her desire soaking Zelda’s other hand.

“I love you, Lilith,” her voice was soothing and filled with care. Unable to take her eyes off her, Lilith moaned softly, “I love you too...I love you too, Zelda.”





Chapter 13: XIII

Summary:

Happy New Year! I'm finally back writing this after a super long hiatus. Thank you to all who have reached out with lovely messages looking for an update. I hope you enjoy and as always I love feedback :)

Chapter Text

The next few days passed in a haze of passion where neither woman seemed to leave the vicinity of the bedroom for very long. Lilith was toying with the idea of asking Zelda if she would like to meet Clover. Perhaps it was too soon? She was certain they would get along and it would be a good opportunity now that they had told each other how they felt. It was this idea that Lilith was focused on as she made pancakes for a very late breakfast. Zelda was still in Lilith’s bed.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t like some help?” she called.

“Not at all, I’ve got it all under control here.”

As she stacked the pancakes one on top of the other, Lilith ran over the question in her mind again. If Zelda was uncomfortable with meeting Clover, she could always suggest that they simply call up for a coffee, so as not to subject either party to a prolonged meeting. Lilith was so consumed by her thoughts that she didn’t notice Zelda approaching the kitchen quietly. Moving to the fridge, she jumped to see the redhead staring at her in amusement.

“Sorry, I didn’t mean to startle you,” Zelda chuckled.

Lilith blushed, “it’s alright, I rarely jump, but you do look so…”

“Frightening?” Zelda laughed.

Pouting playfully, Lilith reached for her waist. “Hardly.” Zelda leaned into Lilith’s embrace, closing her eyes as their lips brushed and wrapping her arms around her. They stayed in a soft closeness that felt more comfortable than anything either of them could remember. A faint knocking sound came from the other end of the room. Curious as to who would be knocking on her door on New Years Eve, Lilith sashayed over and unlocked it.

“Clover! Is everything okay?” Lilith’s eyes widened as the prospect of her two worlds colliding suddenly became a reality.

“Lilith, I’m so sorry to barge in on you. To be honest I was worried about you. You’ve been looking so frail and tired and it’s just plain unlike you. I brought you some of the food I made for my family. We had too much and I-”

Clover stopped suddenly at the sight of Zelda, who had appeared behind Lilith.

“Oh Lilith, I am sorry, I didn’t mean to disturb you when you had company. I’ll leave the food here and you can-”

“Clover, don’t be silly. Please come in.” Lilith took her arm and ushered her in. “This is Zelda Spellman. We uh-we met…through work.”

The sentence sounded even clumsier out loud than it had in her head.

“Uhhh, Zelda….this is Clover….” Lilith trailed off as she helped Clover carry the food into the apartment.

“Clover, it’s a pleasure to meet you. Lilith’s told me so much about you.”

“Has she?” Clover shook Zelda’s outstretched hand warmly. “I wish I could say the same,” Clover chuckled with a grin in Lilith’s direction. Even though it had been said gently, Lilith felt her stomach drop as she fumbled for an explanation.

To her surprise, Zelda laughed congenially, replying, “that doesn’t surprise me. Lilith is quite mysterious, it’s what drew me to her in the first place.”

At this, Lilith smirked before blushing wildly when Clover turned to give her a mischievous look.

“That she certainly is,” the older woman exclaimed.

“Well, it’s wonderful to see you getting off to a great start on my account!” Lilith smiled. “Shall I make us some tea and you can continue getting to know each other?”

Before either woman had a chance to answer, Lilith had dashed off to the kitchen, not so secretly thrilled that this chance meeting was taking place out of the blue. Once the tea was ready, Lilith arranged everything neatly and brought a tray over to the couch. There, she found Zelda laughing louder than she had ever seen her. Clover was telling the story of the time when ten year old Lilith had returned to her grandmother’s house after school and was incredibly grumpy.

“Some boy, what was his name…um, Tommy, Tommy Malone, that’s right. Tommy had told Lilith that he wanted her to be his girlfriend-”

“Awww,” Zelda fawned with a sickeningly sweet smile in Lilith’s direction.

“Well, Lilith didn’t like Tommy because he wouldn’t let her use his colouring pencils!”

“That wasn’t the only reason,” Lilith protested, “he was mean and as thick as two short planks.”

“Lilith! He was a child” Zelda exclaimed in amused disbelief.

“Doesn’t matter” Lilith replied with a derisive snort.

“Anyway,” Clover continued, grinning widely, “Lilith was so mad that she asked her grandmother if she could use her mixing bowl, this big old bowl, to make poison!”

Zelda laughed, sneaking another glance at Lilith’s embarrassed face. “Poison? My goodness, Lilith, you started young!”

Clover was gesturing emphatically, sitting on the edge of the couch as she pretended to stir. “First, she put in mustard, followed by a dollop of ketchup,” Clover reenacted each substance being poured in, “then some gravy granules and Worchestershire sauce.”

“Vile!” Zelda laughed.

“Oh, it stank the kitchen up like you wouldn’t believe!” Clover continued, clearly enjoying getting such a strong reaction from Zelda. “Then she would take a load of salt and sprinkle it in and announce that she wanted to take it to school and ‘show’ it to Tommy.”

Lilith watched as Zelda listened and Clover held court. Something about the way Zelda’s face softened when she laughed gave Lilith great comfort. Of course she knew well that Clover could make just about anyone laugh, but this particular sight made her heart sing. She didn’t care if the stories of her youth were embarrassing, clearly Zelda found great joy in them. It was something else too. In the absence of parental figures and without her grandmother, it was lovely to have someone who knew her so well paint an accurate picture of who she was then to someone she cared about now. An unconscious smile appeared on Lilith’s face as she absorbed Zelda’s movements. Contrary to what the redhead would have others believe, Zelda was incredibly sensitive, something she would never admit. Lilith had suspected it, but she could see it in the way Zelda engaged with Clover. The way she touched the older woman’s arm before they both erupted in torrents of laughter. How she silently appealed for the woman to like and accept her.

Hours passed with the three women laughing and listening to each other's stories. Lilith was filling Clover in on her advancements in work and she mentioned that sales of her artwork had become steadier over the last few months. Although she said it somewhat flippantly, she felt Zelda take her hand and squeeze it, causing Lilith to pause and reflect on how much she had actually achieved. Gazing between both of the women she noticed how happy they looked. It was an honest happiness, the type that comes from being truly happy for another human being.

“You deserve it,” Zelda smiled. “You deserve every happiness.”

Lilith’s heart nearly bounced in her chest when she saw the look in Zelda’s eyes. She meant it wholeheartedly.

“Yes, you do,” Clover added.

“Thank you,” Lilith said softly. In that moment she forgot everything that worried her. It meant everything to have people in her life who cared about her like this.

“Oh my goodness, look at the time!” Clover exclaimed. “I had better head home, my son is making his special spiced beef for dinner. Zelda, my dear, it was an absolute pleasure.”

“Oh,” Lilith uttered, “I was about to ask if you would stay for dinner with us.”

Clover turned on her heel to look at her. “I would love to, another time.” As she hugged Zelda, Clover winked at Lilith with approval. Turning to embrace Lilith, Clover hugged her tight.

“Thank you so much for coming, Clover.”

“It was my pleasure.” Clover’s Jamaican drawl always made Lilith feel easy.

“I’ll walk you out. Zelda, I’ll be back in a minute.”

“Of course. Goodbye Clover.”

As they descended the staircase outside the apartment, Clover linked Lilith and gave her a wide grin.

“You could have told me you know.”

“Told you what?”

Scoffing, Clover chuckled, “About Zelda. She seems lovely.”

“She is.” Lilith felt her cheeks blush deeply. “Will you have dinner with us soon?”

“Let me know when and I’ll be there with bells on. Happy New Year, my dear Lilith.”

“Happy New Year Clover.”

They hugged again and then Lilith opened the hall door.

“I’ll see you soon my dear.”

“Clover?”

The woman turned, her warm, homely features beaming in the porchlight. Lilith hesitated without knowing why.

“Thank you for coming today. You always seem to be there whenever I need you. I-I really appreciate it.”

The threat of tears forced her to bow her head. Clover furrowed her brow before stepping in closer to Lilith again. Tilting her chin up she saw the misty glaze in her eyes. Pausing for a moment, Clover studied her before seeming to understand.

“I will always be there for you, Lilith. Don’t you ever forget it.”

Gathering her in a bear hug, Lilith wrapped her arms tightly about Clover’s back.

“I love you, you know that?” Lilith mumbled, trying to keep her vice steady.

“I do and I love you too.”

Gazing up at her in the dim light, Lilith smiled and chuckled. “I know.”

With that, Clover departed and Lilith stayed at the front door watching until she could no longer make out the woman’s silhouette.

Chapter 14: Chapter XIV

Notes:

So it's been a whiiiiile! Life has been extremely busy, so it's taken me literal months to complete this chapter. I'm starting an exciting new chapter with training in September for my career, so it's my aim to finish T&T before then.

Thank you as always for reading :)

Chapter Text

Lilith returned upstairs in a trance, feeling so content that Clover had called and happened to meet Zelda like this. She couldn’t have wished for a happier evening, or so she thought.

“I can see why you love her so much,” Zelda smiled.

Nodding happily, Lilith outstretched her arms and Zelda walked into them. “I was wondering how best to introduce you two. I’m so happy you’ve met.”

“As am I.” Zelda hugged her tightly, their arms encircling each other in warmth and tenderness.

Sighing with contentment, Lilith lifted her hand to caress Zelda’s cheek and felt something hard block her way. She glanced down and saw a chicly wrapped gift in Zelda’s hand.

“What’s this?” Lilith enquired.

“For you. A belated Christmas gift.”

The smile on Zelda’s face was wider than Lilith had ever seen and at first it caused her to suspect that this was some form of sex toy. The longer she looked at Zelda the more she doubted this. There was a nervous anticipation to the woman’s expression. Lilith took the parcel and with some effort she managed to undo the wrapping neatly. It concealed a wooden box, which she had not been expecting. For a moment, Lilith blinked at the rich oak she held in her hands. There was something familiar about that box, but she couldn’t place it. Her eyes flickered to Zelda who was watching her intently, still smiling with a hint of anxiety. Perplexed, Lilith studied the box again and then she saw it. It was ornate certainly, but the initials that adorned the centre of the lid were unmistakable. The font made Lilith’s heart race in her chest; a calligraphic L intertwined with a P.

Lilith Porter.

Lifting her eyes to Zelda’s again, Lilith searched her face for signs that it was a joke but there were none.

“What is it?” she asked.

“Open it,” Zelda quietly encouraged.

Opening the lid, the lustrous scarlet jewel glittered across Lilith’s face. The diamond necklace she had wanted so much.

“Oh my god…Zelda, I….how on earth did you get this?”

Stepping forward, Zelda combed Lilith’s hair back and swept it over one shoulder. “Do you like it?”

Stunned, Lilith struggled to form a reply. A gift was the last thing on her mind and this particular piece was one she had made peace with never owning. Well, almost.

“I Iove it…but you shouldn’t have. This must have cost you so much!”

Zelda pressed her fingertip to Lilith’s lips. “Try it on. You didn’t get to in Cartier, remember?”

Lilith nodded. Tenderly, she ran her fingers over the diamond before lifting it out of the box. Zelda took the edges and carefully fastened it at the nape of Lilith’s neck. The coolness of the crystal against her bare skin made goosepimples prickle her flesh. Knowing that Zelda could see the effect it had on her, Lilith felt a burning desire for the woman’s touch, the warmth of her lips to contrast the chill that still tickled her senses. At the point where the necklaces clasp lay against her skin, Lilith could feel Zelda’s breath, soft and gentle. Closing her eyes, she waited for Zelda’s touch.

"Well, what do you think?"

Lilith fluttered her eyes open. Zelda was resting her chin on her shoulder, eyeing the ruby that nestled perfectly in the centre of her decolletage. Turning her head, she caught a note of the same scent that had wafted into the gallery the first night they met; jasmine, with a hint of tobacco and vanilla. Pausing to take it in, Lilith smiled before planting a kiss on Zelda’s red, flaxen hair.

"I love it so much. Thank you…I don’t know what to say. How did you…I thought they were all sold out?"

“Where there’s a will, there’s a way. Besides, it was made for you, there was no way you weren’t going to have it,” Zelda smiled, admiring how perfectly the gem contrasted with Lilith’s eyes. Tenderly, she caught a strand of dark curls and lovingly set them off Lilith’s face. Gathering her in a hug, Lilith swallowed hard. She had never owned something so extravagant in her life. Maybe it was because she had grown up relatively poor that she had never considered herself worthy of something so expensive. It was more than the cost though. The gesture was enormous. She knew when they went to Cartier that Zelda had wanted her to have it, but obviously she had underestimated just how much.

As Zelda’s arms wrapped around her waist tightly, Lilith reached up to caress the side of her face. All her life she had wanted to feel this way. When she heard stories of how happy two people could be together, she never truly believed it was real. At least not for her, or so it seemed. Now, cradling this angel's head as Zelda planted tender kisses on her neck and shoulder, Lilith wondered how she had become so lucky.

Gently, Zelda released her from her arms and chuckled upon seeing a speechless Lilith staring at herself in the mirror, with one hand stroking the ruby. Unable to take her eyes off the precious stone, Lilith saw how it enhanced her collarbones, drawing the eye downwards to the curve of her breasts.

“I’m so glad you like it. It was sacrilege that you couldn’t get it at the time.”

Turning to look at her, Lilith’s face asked the question for her. “But how did you get it?” Before she could ask again, Zelda was guiding her over to the sofa and placing soft kisses on her fingertips. It was overwhelming to Lilith.

“Zelda, I can’t….”

Zelda stopped, “What’s wrong?”

Lilith’s eyes had gone from slightly misty to glistening with tears. Sitting down, she pulled Zelda to her.

“Nothing, I just wasn’t expecting this. I’ve never…” shaking her head in shock she fumbled for the words. Zelda lifted her chin until her eyes were back on her soft gaze.

“You deserve it, Lilith. I hope you know that.”

That was enough to bring Lilith to full-on tears. Looking away, she buried her face in her hands, but Zelda coaxed her into her arms. Holding her, the redhead rubbed her back with one hand, stroking her cheek with the other. Even during the good times with Adam, Lilith had never felt so special. He bought her gifts of course, but later she had realised it was always things he liked and wanted to see her in. Clothes, makeup, jewellery, as if she was a doll he could dress up. Clover and her grandmother had always made her feel special, safe, secure and she knew what it was to be loved in that way, but with Zelda it was a different kind of love. Lilith had expressed a desire for something and Zelda took it and ran with it. However Zelda had procured the necklace, the thought behind it made Lilith adore her even more. Never before had so many of her needs been met by someone.

“Lilith?”

The softness of the redhead's voice penetrated her thoughts, bringing Lilith back to the present.

“Sorry, I was just thinking of how I’d resigned myself to never owning this. I can’t believe you did this,” she smiled.

Zelda was watching her, searching her face for signs that she had heard her say she was worth it.

“Thank you,” Lilith whispered.

Drawing Lilith’s hand to her lips, Zelda kissed her fingers tenderly. “Lilith, I understand anxiety can make you doubt things, it happens to me too.” Reaching over to stroke the necklace, Zelda continued, “Let this be a reminder to not question how I feel about you. I love you.”

As the words fell upon Lilith’s ears, she wanted to make time stop and remember exactly how light she felt in this moment.

“I love you too,” she said, taking Zelda’s lips with hers. The kiss was soft, gentle and brimming with emotion. Zelda stood up and led Lilith back to the bedroom. Once inside, they slowly removed every piece of clothing from each other’s bodies. When Lilith brought her hands to the back of her neck to remove the necklace, Zelda stopped her.

“Leave it on.”

It wasn’t a request and every nerve in Lilith’s body tingled upon hearing it. Lowering her hands in obeyance, she watched as Zelda beckoned her to the bed.

The chill from the weather outside brought a delicious draught that made both women pull each other closer. Lilith didn’t care about the cold, not when she could hold all the warmth of Zelda in her arms. Tracing her fingertips from the edges of Lilith’s hair, along her jawline, down her neck and over her chest, Zelda smiled as she stroked the hardened nubs of nipple before her. Lilith caught her in a long, luscious kiss. If her pleasure at receiving the gift had been underestimated, she made sure it was known via her mouth. Every fiber of her being seemed to press her appreciation into Zelda. Feeling the redhead gather her closer, Lilith slid down onto the mattress and wrapped her legs around Zelda. Opening her eyes she saw the cascade of red hair that fell down around them like their own private gazebo.

Zelda’s fingers tracked down Lilith’s belly, slowly reaching her pubis and then her clitoris. Setting herself between Lilith’s legs, Zelda kept her other hand on Lilith’s chest. Biting her lip, Lilith watched Zelda’s eyes as they seemed to shift colour from grey blue to a vivid dark green. She knew that was the sign. The first time they slept together she had seen it happen. When Zelda was aroused her eyes changed and it wasn’t just that her pupils dilated. The colour became so strong that it was almost as if she had shifted into some sort of earthly goddess, one who simmered with sensuality and pleasure.

“Are you ready?” Zelda asked, her voice deep with wanting.

Nodding, Lilith’s lips parted. “Always.”

Her lips parted wider as Zelda tenderly stroked her bud in a slow circular motion using the tip of her forefinger and thumb. Zelda’s other three fingers drifted down to dip into the well that had formed. Lilith inhaled deeply, it always gave her chills when Zelda touched her wetness and the tenderness made it even more exhilarating. Continuing her ministrations, Zelda locked eyes with Lilith who was gazing at her through slits.

“Is that for me?” Zelda enquired teasingly, her fingers sinking into the folds. Lilith nodded, feeling like an aloe vera leaf that had been delicately opened.

“Answer me, Lilith. Use your words,” Zelda grinned. Lilith quivered, “it’s always for you, just you, Zelda…” Her voice trailed off as she felt Zelda’s fingers brush against extra sensitive nerves.

“Just me?” Zelda whispered in a tone that sounded like she couldn’t believe how lucky she was.

“Just you…oh god…” Lilith’s upper back arched off the mattress, her head tilting back. The reassuring hand on her chest gently eased her back down and Zelda greeted her with a hungry look.

“I want to feel every inch of you shake for me.”

“Ohh, Zelda!”

The redhead had noticed her reaction and discovered where the extra sensitive bundle of nerves lay. Her attention was given to them now and Lilith couldn’t control the sounds she was making as a result.

“Lilith?”

“Yes…”

“Look at me.”

Lilith opened her eyes and they involuntarily slammed shut as Zelda stroked long and slow over her G spot. Lilith opened her eyes again, she could hear that Zelda meant business.

“I want to see you come for me.”

Lilith’s mouth formed a grin.

“You are going to come for me, aren’t you?” Zelda teased.

“Maybe…”

Lilith’s gleeful expression quickly dropped when Zelda removed her hand entirely from her vulva.

“NOOOOO!” she cried out, her eyes pleading. Zelda’s lips curved in amusement.

“Are you going to come for me like a good girl?”

“Yes,” Lilith purred.

“Then lie back down like a good girl and keep your eyes on mine.”

Doing as she was told, Lilith bit her lip harder to keep her excitement from leaving her mouth. Zelda resumed her position and after a few seconds she felt her pleasure pick up from where it had been so rudely abandoned.

“Mmmm, yes Zelda, more….”

“What do we say?”

Lilith laughed wildly, “NOW!”

With that Zelda stroked her with more pressure both on her clit and inside. Lilith gasped as she felt the sudden pulse of a climax speed up.

“No, please Zelda, slower…”

Zelda conceded, her fingers working slower but she kept the pressure as it was, building steadily. Lowering her face to Liliith’s, she brushed her lips against hers. Lilith moaned, her eyes transfixed on Zelda’s.

“Oh fuck, Zelda, I…”

Lilith whined with the pleasure that was beginning to unfurl in the pit of her belly.

“Come for me, Lilith,” Zelda whispered.

“Yes,” Lilith whimpered, her hands clasping Zelda’s waist. Zelda was kissing her neck, her earlobe, her cheek and then their lips enmeshed in a wet, passionate kiss. Lilith lurched forward, breaking the kiss. Panting, she pulled Zelda closer. The orgasm was unraveling her slowly, torturously, unlocking a new layer of pleasure as it coursed through her groin.

Zelda moaned at the beauty of Lilith writhing in her arms. Feeling how close she was, Zelda lightened the pressure and Lilith’s body reacted with a gorgeous spasm through her abdomen and legs.

“Look at me…” Zelda whispered again. Lilith obeyed, moaning as she did so.

Zelda watched her intensely and just as Lilith broke, Zelda whispered, “I love you Lilith.”

That was enough to send her over the edge. Lilith cried out, unable to form a coherent sentence. Her body shook under Zelda’s touch and all she could do in response was kiss Zelda again. Moaning into her mouth, she felt Zelda release her hand and wrap both arms tightly around her. Gasping, Lilith buried her face in Zelda’s neck. Still panting, she lifted her head and looked Zelda in the eye.

“I love you too, Zelda.”

A beautiful warm smile appeared and Zelda’s eyes twinkled with hints of green still. Lilith’s body sang with reverberations and tingles. As she caught her breath they embraced tightly.

The necklace felt warm, as thought it had melded with Lilith’s skin. It made her feel so incredibly special.

“Thank you,” Zelda whispered.

Pulling back to look at her, Lilith asked, “For what?”

“Everything,” the red head smiled, “being here with you, letting me hold you, watch you. I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Lilith kissed her gently. “Thank you too.”

Zelda looked at her admiringly, caressing the side of her face. Gently, she lay her head on Lilith’s chest and held her. Lilith drew the covers up around them and kissed the top of Zelda’s head. They fell asleep, limbs entangled and holding hands.