Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-12-17
Updated:
2021-06-15
Words:
40,716
Chapters:
8/?
Comments:
152
Kudos:
267
Bookmarks:
40
Hits:
5,241

A Devil Resides Behind Your Smile

Chapter 4: Debase the Face They Can't Seem to Save

Summary:

The new Trollhunter and Co. are introduced to Trollmarket

Notes:

Happy New Year! This follows canon as a baseline, but with some changes, next chapter is gonna get into it tho. Here's my Tumblr, feel free to pop on over!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

Strickler really had tried to keep everything under control. He'd had a plan; a workable, halfway decent one. Hell, he'd even had a chart! But, alas, even the best plans went awry in the end. His years spent in the Janus Order had taught him that much.

 

Jim was never supposed to know. Bular was never supposed to be allowed after humans without his say so. His slow induction into Trollmarket was supposed to be controlled, enough time to accommodate the shock of the general population and ease their apprehension. Eventually, he'd gain their trust and once he had enough leverage and the bridge was completed, he'd come clean.

 

The bridge needed the amulet and Gunmar needed Trollmarket, both things Strickler would've been able to provide. A way to secure both his future and the future of all Changelings. It should have been relatively simple, straightforward.

 

Now, with both Jim and Tobias staring in open mouthed shock, Strickler was making harried adjustments to his already rushed plan.

 

He tried sitting up further, before the shooting pain in his gut reminded him of the reason he'd needed to be dragged to safety in the first place. Curling in with only a mild groan, he was relieved to have gotten off so easy.

 

"Mr. Strickler, are you…" Jim trailed off reaching out with a hesitant hand.

 

"I'll be fine, Mr. Lake." He hissed in between waves of pain, though he still turned to look at Blinky accusingly, "Although I think I'll be better once the amulet runs its course."

 

"Actually, Master Walter, the amulet responds to your emotional state, so the continued use of the armor is actually, uh, dependent on you." Blinky tapped his hands together.

 

Strickler raised an eyebrow, "So it could activate at any random moment? That's what you're telling me?"

 

“Well, not any random moment per se, just in times of extreme emotional distress.” Blinky shrugged.

 

Strickler blinked. “Like with the realization that an entirely different race of beings lives under you?”

 

That was the edited version of events, though the emotion behind his words was genuine. His entire world had been upended in a way, it was no wonder his emotional state was tad off.

 

“...perhaps. Though, you are the first human the amulet has chosen, so there are bound to be some… complications.”

 

“Wonderful.” He rolled his eyes.

 

He wasn’t quite human, but a Changeling was certainly different from a Troll, no matter the superficial physiological similarities. With that, he took in a deep breath, forcing his heart to calm. As the rate lowered, the pulsing of the amulet subsided. With a bright flash, the armor was gone, and the amulet fell into his waiting hand.

 

Jim looked at his friend with wide eyes, swiveling back to stare in awe and horror at Blinky and AAARRRGGHH. He put his head in his hands as he began hysterically laughing, poignant little bits of panic that caught Strickler off guard as he tucked the amulet away once more.

 

“Do you—this is—I can’t even—” He broke off into choking sobs, “What in the world is happening?!”

 

“Oh, right.” Blinky nodded, tapping his chin, “We did not have the time to explain everything before getting them to safety.”

 

“You kidnapped us!” Tobias rebuked, pointing at the two Trolls.

 

Strickler, who had been rubbing his sore head, stopped as he turned to Blinky.

 

"Kidnapped? I told you to make sure they were safe from Bular!"

 

"And we did!" Blinky argued, crossing his four arms, "There was just no time."

 

"Well there bloody is now!" He hissed.

 

"So be it!" Blinky bit with a good amount of spite, turning to a terrified Jim and Tobias with an unfair amount of barely suppressed anger. "We are creatures known as Trolls, we have existed in the shadows for millennia without widespread human acknowledgement. And your educator has taken on a mantle only wielded by the most worthy of souls, a traditionally Troll position referred to as the Trollhunter."

 

"...what?!" Jim threw his hands out from his head, bug-eyed.

 

"I'm sorry?" Tobias said, voice squeaking at decibels previously thought impossible.

 

"Jim, Tobias…" Strickler sighed, sitting up with a wince, "I know this is… difficult to digest, I've barely accepted it myself, but it is true, however preposterous it may seem. I really had hoped to leave other people out of this."

 

Jim shook his head, in immediate denial. "Mr. Strickler, you—you can't expect me to believe this!"

 

Tobias leaned in, grabbing Jim's shoulder. "I dunno, Jim… it makes more sense than anything I can think of."

 

“So what then, Tobes? Trolls exist!” Jim threw an accusing finger at Strickler. “And they chose our history teacher as what? Some—some sort of Trollfighter?”

 

“Trollhunter.” AAARRRGGHH corrected.

 

“Whatever!” Jim snapped, “This is bonkers! You all know this is bonkers, right?! All because of that… that thing” He gestured to the pulsating magic device stuck on Strickler’s chest. “I don’t know why, but this is all because of that “amulet”, right?”

 

“You are unfortunately right, young Jim.” Blinky acquiesced, having the decency to look shamed as he refused to meet the young boy’s eyes, “Bular went after you and your stout friend here because he caught your scent in the canals when the amulet was searching for a new champion.”

 

“See! What did I tell you? Bad news!” Jim turned to Strickler, “Mr. Strickler, there—there has to be some way out of this!"

 

Strickler tilted his head with an inordinate amount of gentleness. Oh, how he sympathized, truly. Jim was terrified, panicked about some new horror that had previously been locked away as an impossibility. But now that the blindfold was torn away? He couldn't cope.

 

"I'm afraid that's impossible." Blinky sighed, "The amulet is now bonded to him, despite the doubts you have, it's a lifetime commitment. This isn't something Master Walter can refuse."

 

Now that was an unfortunate truth. Though the "lifetime" was always greatly reduced when the amulet came into the play.

 

"But he—and us—almost died!"

 

"Almost, a very important word. A life of almost is a life of never!" Blinky quickly bounced back.

 

"Eventually that "almost" will disappear and—BOOM!" Tobias interjected, jumping up, "Eaten alive!"

 

"Very vivid!" Blinky earnestly complimented, "Though, by saving you, Master Walter has proved that it is an outside party that wields the amulet. Bular may very well lose interest in you."

 

"I think that may be a bit hasty." Strickler winced with each word.

 

All eyes turned to him, expectantly waiting for more. Despite the gut wrenching pain that constricted his organs, his mind remained dangerously sharp.

 

"Well, I may have proved that neither of them have the amulet, but Bular will connect the dots. He'll know going after them will provoke some sort of reaction from me." Strickler explained, using his "teacher" voice. A habit he fell into when dealing with a truly astounding amount of stupidity, usually with Bular.

 

"Oh, that may be a problem." Blinky conceded.

 

“You think?!” Tobias hissed.

 

“Nonetheless, we are in Heartstone Trollmarket now, and I’m hesitant to believe that no solution could be found here.” Blinky pointed upward, “Come now, I think it’s time to present our new Trollhunter.”

 

Strickler grimaced. He needed to think of something. Trollmarket, though a self proclaimed safe haven, was not nearly as open minded as they wanted others to think. A human Trollhunter would certainly receive mixed reactions to say the least. Would they even try to test him, or were they presuming that the amulet would know better than to choose one of Gunmar’s servants? He could only hope.

 

Still, he was too injured to run, it would be another few hours before he could heal up enough to make a break for it if he played his cards right. Perhaps Jim’s denial would be able to stave off any doubts, but Tobias seemed more likely to buy into the idea. If he really needed to, his wings would be able to get him far enough away for a decent head start.

 

Thoughts whirring, he began to slowly get to his knees; a sharp, burning bolt of pain tore through his leg. Faltering as he bit down a gasp, a sudden pair of hands grabbed at his shoulder.

 

“Mr. Strickler! Are you—” Jim started, before dropping him and jumping away. “Ah, what is that smell?”

 

Strickler took being dropped to the ground and the subsequent jolt of pain with a grain of salt. Jim really hadn’t expected it, he told himself as he briefly imagined wringing the boy’s neck. He needed to keep his scent hidden somehow.

 

“Wait? What is it?” Tobias scrambled over next to his friend, curiosity unable to be satiated fast enough. He sniffed the air almost comically, recoiling just as fast, “Is that—body spray?

 

Strickler pulled back, rolling his eyes. “If Bular hadn’t caught my scent from the canals then I needed to make sure he wouldn’t get it when I fought him.”

 

“Yeah, but AXE?” Jim almost gagged, “Oh, that is nasty.”

 

“Need I remind you that I’m only aware of its unique strength because of how many times the boys locker room has been, quote unquote, “AXE-bombed”?” Strickler raised an eyebrow.

 

“Okay, yeah, fair, but like ugh.” Tobias shuddered.

 

He couldn’t fault the boy for it, that had been his reaction when he’d experienced first hand the horrors of teenage machinations when it came to odor-masking spray. Still, Jim took a gulping breath, and with a steady determination, grabbed his arm once again and began helping him up.

 

“Oh, that is a rather pungent aroma.” Blinky agreed, pinching his rather large orange nose, AAARRRGGHH nodding mutely from behind him. “I’m sure it’ll, uh, dissipate.”

 

“I wouldn’t hope too hard.” Tobias muttered, “That stuff sticks around for weeks, way longer than the aftermath of a Diablo Maximus—”

 

“Tobes!” Jim warned, steadying the teacher while shooting him a cutting look.

 

“What? It’s true.” Tobias pouted, crossing his arms almost petulantly.

 

“Not the time, man.” Jim muttered, pulling Strickler along.

 

“This way, Master Walter, this way.” Blinky gestured widely as the crystal staircase, something he’d only heard stories about, lit the way down.

 

Strickler let himself be awed for a second. He was going to see Trollmarket, the first Changeling to do so since Nomura’s disastrous infiltration mission. And the Heartstone. He needed it for purely strategic reasons, of course, seeing as Gunmar would feel the need to devour it as soon as he was free. But… he’d heard about it, it’s warmth, when Nomura—after her new boytoy ousted her and attempted to kill her—was drunk enough to let it slip how much she missed it. Almost more than the Troll that tried to murder her. Never let it be said that Kanjigar’s son was not as dedicated as his father to destroying filth. Briefly, Strickler wondered if the troll in question would be there.

 

“Whoa…” Tobias exhaled in absolute wonder, drawing Strickler back from his thoughts. “I know this is a dumb thing to ask seeing as Bular hasn’t torn through that wicked cement gateway, but are you sure we’re safe?”

 

“Indeed. The incantation forbids entry to Heartstone Trollmarket by Gumm-Gumms such as Bular, for they are the most fearsome of Trolls.” Blinky answered as he plodded down the crystalline steps.

 

"Gumm-Gumms?" Jim repeated as he helped Strickler limp down another set of steps.

 

"Scary ones." AAARRRGGHH translated, heaving down the stairs.

 

A bit of a simplistic translation to be sure, but not inaccurate. Though, before he could ponder more on the subject, the group stopped, finally at the bottom of the circling stairway of magic.

 

"Whoa." Jim stopped, breathless.

 

"Wow." Tobias was much the same.

 

A warmth, an aching, tantalizing warmth, socked him in the already injured stomach. The underground city was vast, dotted with brightly lit windows painting the endless horizon, smattered with the crawling of crystalline rocks draped in pale sunsets. Cut with rocky paths that had Trolls of every variety easily wandering about, it was split into sections of pure colour. It was a geologic wonder, how Arcadia Oaks hadn't collapsed into the echoing rocky stadium that was Heartstone Trollmarket.

 

But that was nothing compared to the Heartstone.

 

Nomura—wasted, world weary, and as close to heartbroken as someone built on the marriage of falsities and poison could be—had undersold just how powerful the rush was. Changelings didn't need Heartstone, another thing to separate them, another excuse to leave them strung along and desperate for the whispered promises of their Lady Creator, one more reason they were abominations of the highest degree. But oh gods, something ancient and intimate, something not even the darkest of magics could tear from his stone flesh, yearned.

 

The open-eyed and slack jawed look on his face was taken as mere human surprise. Since Blinky, with a smug satisfaction that settled with an ugly resonance, gestured broadly.

 

"This is the world you are bound to protect. This is Heartstone Trollmarket!"

 

Oh, how wrong those words would be. He would doom it, doom all of its inhabitants to a life under Gunmar's rule. There was no guilt, none at all. Why shouldn't Trollmarket live as Changelings were forced to? After killing, hunting, and shunning so many from its tentative safety, Strickler could even say that he was looking forward to the day it fell. And it would be far sooner than anyone thought.

 

“This is—” Tobias started, awestruck.

 

“Yeah.” Jim interrupted, breathless by the sight of it all.

 

“Whoa.”

 

“Pretty much.”

 

It was almost unnerving, how in sync they could be.

 

“This is your home?” Jim asked, still stuck at Strickler’s side.

 

“Trollmarket is home and hearth and sanctuary for all good Trolls.” Of course it was. “This way, my friends. There is much to see.”

 

With that bold—and somewhat incorrect—proclamation, Blinky led them in. The troll apparently had no worries about how his fellow compatriots would view this… intrusion, to put it lightly. Though once he flashed that damn amulet, it would be more than enough to make them tolerate a “human” presence. If they weren’t suspicious.

 

They were pulled into one of the many rushing streets, stalls and businesses lining the sides as trolls from every corner of the world milled about. Strickler had never seen so many in one place, not without fighting. But his view of the troll world was, ah, limited at best. They had been meaning to get an agent into Trollmarket, though there were few… qualifiable candidates for such a mission. Eyes began to land on them, taking a surprised note of their lackluster state.

 

“Dang! And here I thought the only thing underneath our town was dirt and plumbing.” Tobias commented, head swiveling about to lap up anything he could catch a glimpse of.

 

“Stay close.” Blinky warned, “Human feet have never graced the ground of Trollmarket before.”

 

Strickler bit down a bitter laugh. Now that was some misdirecting wording. Already more had begun to take closer notice, finally clicking in their stone minds just how wrong the sight had to be. Mutters had begun to rise.

 

“Humans?” One troll murmured.

 

“Friends.” AAARRRGGHH declared, though he still growled as he blocked Strickler and Jim from the eyeline of some of the gathering crowd.

 

“This is crazy.” Jim murmured, before turning his head to a still enraptured Tobias, “Are you getting this, Tobes?”

 

“Oh, yeah. On it!” Tobias whipped out his phone and began taking pictures, video.

 

Strickler, as a member of a secretive organization bent on world domination for the doom of mankind, winced. Stealth was key.

 

“Put that away, Mr. Domzalski.” He ordered through grit teeth.

 

The boy stopped, pausing as his eyes began to widen. “But—But Mr. Strickler—”

 

“Do as I say, you don’t want to risk angering them.” He grimaced as Jim adjusted his arm, “We’re already in unfamiliar territory.”

 

Pouting, the boy stashed his phone in his back pocket, crossing his arms as he took in the sights without his cellular documenting. Restaurants of the feline kind were in multitudes, enough so that he winced at the yowling. Even in his troll form he never stooped to such base urges, the trolls fascination with socks eluded him even moreso. A clashing of metal drew his attention as even more troll occupations were revealed to him, mostly differing forms of vendors selling human contraptions. Strickler watched, slightly bemused, as Jim distracted a tattoo carver hard at work. The yelp that came after was almost humorous.

 

“Whoa, check it out!” Tobias pointed, his dour expression melting away as something new caught his attention. “Peridot, topaz, cassiterite!” He ran straight into a larger troll, and Strickler paused as Tobias gasped, unaware of his position. “Kornerupine!”

 

The boy looked up, and with a pained greeting, backed away. The troll didn’t follow, though it glared with bitter recrimination. Strickler turned back, sighing as he focused on Blinky. The troll was leading them somewhere. Perhaps to Trollmarket’s illustrious leader, Vendel? Or was it to the mystical forge of which the existence of was still disputed.

 

“Your knowledge of minerals is almost troll-like, Tobias.” Blinky commented as the stout boy rushed to safety in the middle of the group.

 

“So your kind, you all live here?” Jim asked before Tobias could respond.

 

“Trolls travel from afar to our market to find comfort and remedies. You’ll find most anything you need and sometimes you’ll find what you never knew you needed.” Blinky proudly added.

 

What a tagline. Strickler was almost impressed with the branding. Something rushed past his legs with pattering little steps. Suddenly, he was loath to look down. Jim, however, had not his experience or wisdom and craned his head for a better look. His face broke into a small smile as he tilted his head.

 

“Oh, hey, little guy!” He cooed to the insolent vermin that had gathered, “That’s a cute pointy hat!”

 

Strickler waited for the inevitable other shoe. Growling now audible, he could feel the air change as it rushed at Jim’s feet.

 

“And pointy teeth! Look out!” He cried, jumping back and hastily pulling Strickler with, who yelped as the change in position jostled one of his cracked ribs.

 

Impressively fast, Blinky darted over, stomping wildly at the chattering little beasts.

 

“Get away! Get out of here! Vile vermin! Begone!" The troll, someone Strickler had labelled as more of a bookish bystander, went after the Gnomes with a fierce, merciless intent.

 

One darted far out of reach, stopping only to stick it's tongue out and obnoxiously blow it, before giggling and continuing on it's path of chaos. Awful little beasts. There used to be an infestation a year or so ago in the local Janus Order base before they were quickly purged. The cafeteria lunch menu had been especially interesting after they were all rounded up.

 

"What is that?" Jim asked with a horrified edge, shuffling as he readjusted Strickler's arm.

 

"Gnomes are vermin. Pickpockets, scum of the earth!" Blinky bit with an inordinate simmering rage, before his voice dropped back to its normal tone, "We only tolerate them for their grooming services."

 

The group glanced to AAARRRGGHH, who sat idly and uncaring as a Gnome scampered on his shoulder, picking out bugs. As close to horrified as he allowed himself to be in the former general's presence, Strickler swallowed.

 

"Grooming?"

 

"They eat the parasites on the larger trolls." Blinky said casually, as the Gnome made a singular misstep before being flicked off of AAARRRGGHH's ear.

 

"Jim! Jim! Check it out!" Tobias shouted from up ahead, "Maximum coolosity over here!"

 

Jim turned to Strickler, an apology already written on his face before he even opened his mouth.

 

Strickler rolled his eyes, "I can walk, Mr. Lake. Go meet your friend."

 

"Thanks!" Jim chirped before easily pulling away, running after Tobias.

 

He winced as he stood to full height. His leg would hurt for another hour, at least, but it was nothing serious. What was truly worrying were the ribs, Bular had cracked two or three when he'd tossed him across the canal. Not even Changeling biology would have it healed in time for tomorrow.

 

"You have some excellent students."

 

Strickler turned his head, staring mutely in the face of Blinky's compliment.

 

"Well, that really has little to do with me." Strickler decided to laugh it off awkwardly, "They're merely good kids."

 

"Good students are made by good teachers." Blinky insisted as he continued walking, AAARRRGGHH lumbering behind him. "Come now, Master Walter. Let's make sure they don't get into any trouble."

 

Strickler rolled his eyes, but followed the two utterly oblivious trolls without protest. The crowd behind them was growing, following them with an uneasy rumbling. There'd be a confrontation soon. Thoughts of the inevitable were washed away as something pure hit him, invigorating, enrapturing.

 

Jim and Tobias were standing by the railing, the area open and free of stalls and clutter, probably to serve as a sort of observation deck. The Heartstone was in full view, strikingly bright and filled with energy, the focal point of life in the boundless cavern.

 

It's effects had waned in the midst of Trollmarket, out of sight and out of mind. Now that the glow was basking on his too-pale skin itching to be shed, the need burrowing it's way into his chest, Strickler tilted his head and wondered how he'd ever thought it's beauty exaggerated.

 

"Heartstone." Blinky began, stepping next to the boys, an aching warmth simmering in his voice, "The life force of Trollkind. The means that keeps us from crumbling to stone and the source of light and sustenance."

 

It was home, put simply. A brush of magic that called to him, so utterly, insanely familiar but entirely distant, shuddered off by the dark magic that warped his being. He knew, vaguely, that eventually the effect would wane over time. It would fade and be lost to him, like any human. There was an odd grief in that.

 

"Okay, that's totally bomb." Tobias put succinctly.

 

"What are humans doing here?"

 

Oh, was it that time already? Uneasily, Strickler turned, attempting to keep his weight off his bad leg. At least it wasn't an arm, he told himself. His shoulders always had been especially weak. Still, staring down the mounting crowd of disgruntled, scared trolls, didn't help his unease.

 

"Fleshbag!"

 

"Puny!"

 

No shouts of Changelings, no calls for gaggletacks. A very small grace, but one he was thankful had been granted. Jim and Tobias were drawn to his side, staying close together just off his left.

 

"I think we've attracted the paparazzi." Tobias mumbled.

 

"Friends, there's no need to be afraid." Blinky addressed the crowd with an overly familiar tone, "He is the Trollhun—"

 

Though Strickler was in front, with Blinky and AAARRRGGHH settled in firmly at the right, he remained utterly startled as some large blue troll shoved their way through the crowd. Lumbering ominously as large crystalline shards jutted out from their back, snorting in a way that tugged on their large nose ring, the Troll came to the front of the group, the obvious spokesperson.

 

"What is this?!" They rumbled, slamming onto the ground with large fists that shook the earth.

 

Feared, blue, and a multitude of emotional issues, it couldn't be…

 

"I was just getting to that, Draal." Blinky nervously hurried to explain as the looming figure got closer.

 

So it was the Troll that had broken Nomura's heart and screwed over their Trollmarket operation all in one. Of course Kanjigar's son would inherit all of his father's brutality and none of his finer qualities.

 

"Human feet have never sullied the ground of Trollmarket before." Draal pushed in close, choosing to circle Strickler, who stood at the front. "Who are these fleshbags?"

 

Spoken like the miserable whelp he was. Strickler, ignoring the worried glances of those around him, kept his stare on Draal, face schooled to utter boredom. Blankly, he turned to keep up as Draal attempted his juvenile intimidation, growling and huffing in his face. It was laughably easy to remain composed. At least Bular was entirely serious with his threats.

 

"Believe it or not, he is, um, how do I put this?" Blinky paused, anxiously breaking. "Our new Trollhunter."

 

The pandemonium unleashed was nothing close to the simple satisfaction of seeing Draal's face twist into unrecognizable fury. Feeling lucky, Strickler let his lips smooth into a smirk. It was risky to alienate such a powerful figure. But oh, did it feel good.

 

"He can't be the Trollhunter!" Draal roared in his unmoving face, "He's not a troll!"

 

Only when Draal threatened to squish him, did Strickler step away, though it was with a smooth step that he forced down his pain to complete. A fist came smashing down where he had stood. Easy enough to side-step when he so obviously gave it away.

 

"Amulet chose." AAARRRGGHH growled, stepping forward to confront the brute.

 

Growling with all the might he had, Draal got close, readying for a fight as he rolled his hulking shoulders back.

 

"Show him, Strickler!" Tobias called out, interrupting the tense buildup.

 

Jim, though caught off guard, was quick to join in, "Yeah, come on!"

 

Turning smugly to the glowering beast, Strickler reached into his inner pocket and pulled out the amulet, baring it in his hand for all the world to see. For once, he didn't quite feel like a traitor as it pulsed warmly against his skin.

 

"For the glory of Merlin—" He cut a severe look to Draal, "—Daylight is mine to command."

 

It dinged, lighting up the world with blue and silver. Dragging him up in the air, magic severing the hold of gravity, the armor came easy, molding together in a wondrous show of power. With a flash, he was dropped back to the ground. Bending his knees on impact, and ignoring the twinge in his leg, Strickler languidly stood, giving the process a smooth finish.

 

"Whoa…" Jim stared, wide-eyed as Tobias began hyperventilating.

 

The crowd had only grown more wary, but Strickler kept his sights solely on the Troll that had been the most outspoken in his opposition.

 

"A human? Protecting us?"

 

One even fainted. They really were being overdramatic.

 

"Bushigal! I am Draal, son of Kanjigar, and the amulet's rightful heir!"

 

Ready to quip back, he forced himself to remain quiet. He hadn't been told about Kanjigar, the name would mean nothing to him in current state. So, very evenly, he turned to look at Blinky.

 

"Kanjigar?" He repeated.

 

"Oh, the previous Trollhunter. He was, um, felled the morning you found the amulet." Blinky hastily replied.

 

"Ah." He tilted his head, "Thank you, Blinky."

 

"The flashbag knows nothing of my father's great accomplishments?!" Draal roared, indignant. "He is unworthy, ignorant!"

 

Strickler smiled saccharinely, "Not according to your father's amulet."

 

The troll shattered into a pure blind rage, rushing at him. Strickler flexed his hand, the pooling energy ready to shape.

 

AAARRRGGHH stepped in front before he could summon Daylight, headbutting Draal and sending him careening back.

 

"Amulet chose!" The larger troll insisted, slamming a fist down.

 

Strickler leaned to the side, catching a glimpse of Draal righting himself, pushing away from the crowd he'd been shoved into.

 

"We'll see what Vendel has to say about this!" He spit, glaring vicious daggers at Strickler.

 

He gave a toothy grin in response. Never let it be said that Changelings didn't know how to have fun. Especially with those who'd wronged them.

 

Huffing, Draal stomped off to find the leader of Trollmarket.

 

"Feel free to fetch him. In the meanwhile, lots of Trollhunter business to be done." Blinky called after, "Draal, wonderful to see you as always."

 

Draal growled in response, eyeing each member of the group with a savage focus. Jim awkwardly smiled, raising a hand to bid him farewell. The troll turned, ready to leave.

 

"Nice to know there's Steve Palchuks everywhere." Tobias muttered, disengaging from the spot he'd been rooted to.

 

"Ugh, don't remind me." Jim shuddered.

 

Strickler glared at the spot where Draal had been, a petty sort of habit he'd never quite grown out of. Still, as Blinky and AAARRRGGHH gestured for everyone to follow, he obliged, falling in pace next to the two teenagers who hadn't lost the spark of awe since they'd first seen the crystal staircase.

 

The armor clanked with each step, each sound another dig at his patience. And he still didn't know where they were headed. Though, the entrance they were going into had a crude neon portrait of Daylight hanging over it. The forge then.

 

"So… who was that dude. I know he said something about being the son of Cannon-jars?" Jim asked as he nervously looked at Blinky.

 

"Kanjigar." Blinky corrected, "He was the previous Trollhunter. That was his son, Draal."

 

"Oh." Jim took a beat, "So… what happened to him?"

 

AAARRRGGHH and Blinky looked at each other, a shared expression of hesitance exchanged.

 

Blinky answered despite the obvious trepidation, "He was, uh, killed. By Bular."

 

Jim blanched, shooting Strickler a look of—something. He ignored it, focused only on the path ahead.

 

"So when you say "lifetime commitment", you mean—" Jim started, turning away.

 

"It's a sacred obligation that follows the bearer until death."

 

"Ah. Right." Jim swallowed.

 

"Oh, don't worry, Jimbo," Toby patted his shoulder in an attempt to comfort, "I'm sure this Kanjigar dude was off his game or something."

 

"Unlikely, Kanigar was perhaps the most alert and able of all the Trollhunters." Blinky mused.

 

"Yeah, but he wasn't like, the best, right?" Tobias questioned, slightly more nervous.

 

"Oh the very best, many songs and sagas have been written about him." Blinky informed, oblivious to the horror on the boy's face.

 

"You know, I think Jimbo and I here are just, um, worried." Tobias winced despite the wide smile, "'Cause if Bular could take down Kanjigar—"

 

"Smash to pieces." AAARRRGGHH unhelpfully added.

 

"—then what about Strickler?"

 

"A most appropriate, if troubling, query, Tobias. Of course, we don't expect Master Walter to engage in any further battle without the proper training."

 

"Oh good." Jim sighed, "And how long should that take?"

 

Too long. He'd already had centuries of it and still wasn't nearly enough to properly fend off Bular.

 

"Oh, um…" Blinky began to count on his hands, each stone finger sticking up and his eyes went in different directions, "...decades?"

 

"What?!" Tobias squawked, "He doesn't have that much time! He's old!"

 

Now that was uncalled for. Swiveling his head, he levelled a harsh glare at the boy.

 

"Sorry, sir…" Tobias awkwardly laughed, shifting behind Jim.

 

"But Bular's already found him, he doesn't have time for decades!" Jim insisted.

 

"And Master Walter fought him off skillfully!"

 

"Yeah, I've been wondering about that." Tobias raised his hand, "What was up with all the ninja moves?"

 

Strickler sighed, "I used to fence, back when I was your age. I was rather good at it, too."

 

It wasn't exactly a lie, he had been trained in sword fighting as a boy, among a variety of other techniques.

 

Tobias wrinkled his nose. "Ugh, Britain and their weird sports."

 

"It's practiced in the U.S. as well, Toby." Strickler tilted his head, "I believe Arcadia Oaks Academy has a well-rounded team this year."

 

The ginger frowned at the mention of their rival school.

 

"So you have experience in battle! Excellent." Blinky nodded, "That should cut down on time."

 

"Before that..." Strickler turned his head to Blinky, "we need to discuss what's to be done with these two." He gestured to Jim and Tobias.

 

"What?!" They shouted in unison.

 

"Jim, Toby," Strickler began, slightly uneasy, "this is not your responsibility. We will find a way to keep you both safe from Bular, but after that…"

 

"You don't want us to help." Jim realized, taking a step back.

 

Tobias winced, putting a hand on Jim's shoulder, "Jimbo, he is the magical chosen one. Maybe we should—"

 

"Should what, Tobes?!" Jim turned to him, voice rising, "Let him get hurt, or—or die! That's—I won't let that happen, no way!"

 

"Jim, I'm an adult." His tone grew terse, "I can take care of myself."

 

"You still got hurt!" Jim insisted, eyes wide with storming worry, "You can't just expect us to leave here in this—this new world as it's, what, protector?"

 

"That's exactly what I'm asking." Strickler kept calm, though the corners of his eyes tightened, "You're young and already overwhelmed. My well-being does not rest on your shoulders."

 

"And mine rests on yours?"

 

"Apparently so." Strickler sighed, "Jim, please be reasonable—

 

"Reasonable?!" Jim repeated, indignant and close to enraged, "How am I supposed to be reasonable when my history teacher is fighting evil trolls?!"

 

"Because it's my job!" Strickler snapped.

 

"So—so what happens when you don't come to school one day, huh? If your body is found ripped to shreds because of Bular?" Jim puffed his chest up, stepping closer, "Or what if you're never found at all, just—poof, gone. How am I supposed to feel then?"

 

"You'll move on, you're young." Strickler said, voice tight and eyes set in a stubborn glare, "And the amulet will find someone else."

 

"It's not about that stupid amulet!" Jim groaned, throwing his head back, "You're my favorite teacher, I don't want you to die."

 

Oh. That was… something. He'd figured it, vaguely in some recess of his mind, but to hear it spoken was a different matter altogether.

 

"I don't want to die either, Jim." Strickler admitted, the firm, unbreakable demeanor he donned finally softening. "But it's my job as an adult and an educator to prioritize your safety. And you and Toby will be best off staying far away from this Trollhunting business."

 

Far, far away. They couldn't be involved. There'd only be more disappointment in the end.

 

"And we disagree." Jim boldly proclaimed, throwing an arm around Tobias.

 

"I mean, it could be cool." Tobias shrugged, refusing to meet Strickler's astonished gaze, "You're like a superhero! And a superhero has sidekicks!"

 

"This isn't a comic book—" He began exasperatedly.

 

"You're right. This is real life." Jim staunchly agreed, "And right now, an evil troll is threatening my life, so I should have some say so about how to deal with it!"

 

He pinched the bridge of his nose. Teenagers.

 

"I can't let you—"

 

"We're not asking permission." Jim crossed his arms, "We're helping you. Now, you could oversee us, make sure we don't get hurt. Or…"

 

"Turn us away. Then we'll have no resources when something else horrible comes after us." Tobias shrugged, "Your choice."

 

Diabolical. Utterly and entirely evil and manipulative. Why couldn't more of his agents master the skills that focused adolescents could easily draw forth.

 

"Fine." He spit, turning on his heel, barely flinching as a spike of pain went up his leg.

 

"You know, Master Walter," Blinky began as Strickler tried to march away, "it isn't entirely uncommon for Trollhunters to have a… backup team of sorts."

 

He smothered down the need for a rebuttal, seeing as he'd fought Trollhunters before, none of which had come to battle with a team. Still, he could feel the smug looks being burnt onto the back of his head.

 

"Did Kanjigar have a team?" Strickler seethed.

 

He was being ridiculous and he knew it. Still, if today's events didn't entitle him to a bit of selfish petulance, he didn't know what would.

 

"Well, no…" Blinky admitted, "That was one of his only faults, that irritating urge to shoulder all his burdens alone."

 

"Ah. I'm sure that made him a fantastic father."

 

At that, Blinky paused, examining Strickler with a new intensity. He'd slipped up, showing so much scorn for a dead troll he wasn't supposed to have known.

 

"If we're being honest—and I do hate to speak ill of the dead, especially in regards to someone like Kanjigar—but that was, I believe, one of his greater failings." Blinky admitted.

 

Jim stepped forward, hesitant. "What do you mean?"

 

"AAARRRGGHH and I used to watch Draal when he was a whelp." Blinky shot a look to his hulking companion, who nodded in return, "He fiercely looked up to his father since his mother was, um, not in the picture at that point. But Kanjigar… Kanjigar believed that in order to keep Draal safe, he had to keep himself at a distance. It… did more harm than good in the long run."

 

"Ah. Daddy issues." Tobias nodded wisely, "Explains the anger."

 

"Draal is grieving, though he won't admit it. He feels as though he's been scorned one last time." Blinky sighed, looking down, "I know it does nothing to excuse his attitude or actions, but it makes you understand the precarious nature of handling a dangerous life and a personal one."

 

And wasn't that the story of his own experience? Always danger, always deceit being balanced out by an overwhelming mundanity.

 

"It's important to learn from your predecessor's mistakes, but Master Walter…" Blinky looked almost pained, "please refrain from insulting Kanigar, however subtly. His death is a true blow to us all, and with the emotional fragility of the community… some might take it to heart."

 

Strickler swallowed, throat dry, and nodded.

 

"Of course." He distantly replied, "I apologize, it's just been a… hectic day."

 

Blinky acknowledged it with a tilt of his head and nothing more. Strickler had struck a nerve already. Before he could ponder more on the ground he'd lost with Dictatious' long lost relative (he was almost sure of it now), the dark hallway enclosed by reflective stone ended, bathing the group in new light.

 

The stone path made of twisting orange pillars was made unnerving by the plummeting void stretched around it. The Deep. He shuddered at the expanse, empty and filled with stories even he didn't want to know.

 

Tearing his eyes away from the fateful drop that was only a step or two away, he followed it with his eyes until the ground spread into a wide arena, rising stone walls blocking it off with observation areas carved into it. It was half encircled by pillars with what looked to be statues at first glance. Upon closer inspection, the pure detail in their poses, the accuracy, could only be attributed to one possibility. They were bodies.

 

Savage. And they had the gall to call him disturbing and grotesque.

 

"Holy trolls!" Jim gasped, "Is this a palace?"

 

It was impressive, sure, but a palace? Surely he'd taught him better than that.

 

Blinky turned, some of his vigor coming back, "This is the Hero's Forge."

 

Pretentious. Though it was rich coming from him. He did have an unfortunate level of self awareness at times.

 

As they pressed forward, strolling along the towering stone path, Tobias leaned near the edge, as if trying to catch a glimpse of something moving in the dark. Jim pretended to push him, scaring the boy into almost tottering over the precipice.

 

"Mr. Lake!" He warned, cutting him a severe look.

 

Jim immediately straightened, looking properly shamed. Pulling away from his steaming friend, he awkwardly chuckled an apology. Toby glared, stepping away from the edge, huffing as he shook his head in disappointment. Without further incident, they crossed into the open arena with Jim awkwardly trailing behind. Until the full majesty started to hit them, the two humans silenced with open wonder.

 

"Magnifico!" Jim breathed, spinning to absorb it all, "But what are those?"

 

His attention was directed towards the mildly creepy statues, posed in various ways, a heroic last stand for all eternity. Really, it was almost sickening. Though Unkar’s statue was, at the very least, somewhat humorous to look at. That had been a swift night.

 

“Trollhunters.” AAARRRGGHH rumbled, much to Tobias’ and Jim’s dismay.

 

“You mean those…” Strickler trailed off, participating in the vaguest way.

 

“Your predecessors, Master Walter,” Blinky confirmed, “a line of heroism reaching back to the age of Merlin,” Of course, who could forget the man that brought this entire mess on. “This is the place of the final repose for Kanjigar the Courageous. One day there will be a statue of you here, Master Walter.”

 

Strickler shot him a dark look.

 

“One day very far off in the future, of course,” Blinky quickly corrected.

 

“Yeah, about that,” Tobias tilted his head, raising his hand, “there’s just one thing I’m not getting.”

 

“Just one?” Jim muttered, arms crossed tightly, curling in on himself.

 

“You guys are Trolls, right?” Tobias waved a hand, ignoring Jim, “So “Trollhunter” sounds a bit like you hunt yourselves, you know?”

 

“Hunt bad Trolls,” AAARRRGGHH said.

 

“As well as goblins, gruesomes, and the occasional rogue Gnome,” Blinky added on, “But, uh, the most pressing concern is indeed Gumm-Gumms.”

 

“Not exactly the most terrifying name,” Jim commented.

 

“In Trollish, “Gumm-Gumm” means bringer of horrible, slow, painful, and thoroughly calculated death.”

 

“Oh. That’s just delightful," Jim said, throwing his hands up.

 

“But do not be too concerned, Master Walter,” Blinky cheerily spoke, “The Gumm-Gumms were exiled to the Darklands centuries ago. One one roams free.”

 

“And wants to kill you,” AAARRRGGHH pointed at him.

 

Well, that little dynamic certainly was delightful, but it didn’t tell him anything he didn’t already know. Bular was always out to kill him.

 

“Wait, Bular is one of the unspeakably evil Trolls?” Tobias said, shock rippling on his features.

 

Jim groaned. “Of course he is.”

 

“Indeed. His father and the rest of their number remained exiled to the Darklands, but they have been trying to escape for centuries,” And they were getting closer day by day, Strickler silently added. “Hence the need to begin Master Walter’s training now,” Throughout his speech, Blinky had been crossing over the open area to a small gate, where a round stone button jutted out from the wall. Standing next to it, Blinky turned his head back, examining them thoughtfully. “Step back, please.”

 

“Wait!” Jim protested, “Mr. Strickler’s still hurt!”

 

“So he is. But his enemies won’t show mercy because of it, and that lesson needs to be learned as soon as possible,” Blinky blankly replied.

 

Well, he wasn’t wrong. It might have been the first useful piece of advice the self proclaimed “trainer” had given.

 

“Now, step back a little further, Tobias,” Blinky ordered, watching the redhead closely, who shuffled back at a minimal pace, “Oh, very well.”

 

With that, Blinky pressed the button and all hell broke loose. From the ceiling, the walls, the floor, giant blades came swinging out. One jutted out right in front, narrowly missing them as the group frantically scattered in opposite directions.

 

"There's a big blade!" Tobias shrieked as Jim tucked and rolled.

 

Strickler barely kept out of range, hopping with barely smothered winces as the gargantuan weapons shot up in a rapid pattern. The air changed behind him and he dropped down the ground, the shink of the axe swinging above cause enough to shoot a glare at Blinky.

 

Jim, the quick little prat, had gotten far enough to press against the wall, almost fully removed from the chaos. Tobias screeched as a swinging blade chased him to the same position.

 

"Turn it off!" Strickler ordered sharply between huffing breaths as he jumped over a rising blade, "This isn't working!"

 

"But you have such excellent reflexes, Master Walter!"

 

"It's not mine I'm worried about!" He hissed in reply, narrowly dodging a swipe from his right.

 

Blinky opened his mouth to protest, much to Strickler's continued disappointment.

 

"Blinkous Galadrigal!" Something called out over the cacophony of noise.

 

Blinky scrambled to press the button, shutting down the impromptu deadly training session. Strickler heaved an uneasy sigh, warily watching the various components sink back into the ground and wall. At least one question of his had been answered, he bitterly thought. It seemed Blinky really was related to Dictatious.

 

"Blinkous Galadrigal!" The voice continued with an unfettered disappointment.

 

Turning, Strickler was finally able to put a face to the person who'd so graciously interrupted. Tall, but not lumbering, the pale orange Troll took measured steps with each thump of his staff, crafted from the dizzying warmth of the Heartstone. He loomed, a weary presence about him that was only emphasized by the pure white hair streaming down his face and back, milky eyes judging them with equal scorn. Vendel, the cantankerous leader of Trollmarket.

 

"That's your name?" Jim muttered to Blinky.

 

"Horrible, I know," Blinky shuddered.

 

He had yet to realize the true extent of those words. He certainly wouldn't be touting it if he knew just what his relative had done to sully their shared name.

 

Vendel marched right into the Hero's Forge, set on a single-minded path.

 

"I wish to meet the fleshbag supposedly chosen by the amulet," He commanded with an underlying disbelief, almost amused in an odd way. The Troll closed on on Tobias, leaning in, "I am Vendel, son of Rundle, son of Kilfred."

 

"Uh, Toby, son of Ralph," He uneasily introduced himself to the overtly curious elder, "I live with my Nana."

 

Without any provocation, Vendel grabbed at Tobias' arm, lifting him off the ground as he poked and prodded, inspecting him.

 

"Produce the amulet, Trollhunter."

 

Vendel managed to pull the phone away from him, inspecting it briefly before the pressure of his inhuman hands shattered it entirely. Strickler would not miss it.

 

"Oh no!" Tobias gasped, almost falling to his knees at the sight, "My phone!"

 

Strickler stood to his full height, shifting his weight to his good leg, the armor creaking with it. How Vendel had missed the shining being encased in magic was beyond him.

 

"I believe you're looking for me," He called out, unamused.

 

Immediately, the old Troll huffed, leaving the whimpering human in his wake. As he marched over, AAARRRGGHH stepped up next to him, shoving an enlarged finger at his chest.

 

"Amulet chose." He quickly informed

 

Vendel cranes his head, leaning down to inspect the glow nonetheless. "Hmm… so Draal tells me," He scoffed, pulling back, "Ridiculous! However, the amulet had been known to make ill-fated choices, as you know better than most." Vendel pointedly looked at Blinky.

 

Blinky didn't meet his accusatory gaze, looking rather shamed, and almost downright upset at the comment.

 

"What's that mean?" Jim asked.

 

Vendel's focus snapped to him for the first time, sharply examining him with a brutal intensity.

 

"Blinky trained Trollhunter before. Unkar the Unfortunate." AAARRRGGHH answered, pointing to a statue cowering in fear.

 

Strickler marveled at it, smothering down the dark laugh that threatened to burst from him. The edges of his mouth twitched up despite his best efforts. Unkar had been the easiest mark of them all. Had Bular not dropped the amulet in a nearby river as he tore him apart then it might have very well been theirs that night. Though, thinking as he looked down at the spotless metal covering his body, it might not have changed much in the long run.

 

"Why is he unfortunate?" Jim uneasily pressed.

 

"First night out, torn."

 

"Like, conflicted?" Jim questioned.

 

The innocence of youth. How delightfully ignorant.

 

"No," AAARRRGGHH pushed his fists together, twisting them apart as he specified, "Limb from limb."

 

Ah. Vivid. Jim certainly agreed as he shot Strickler a very horrified look, great concern pooling behind his eyes. How odd.

 

A crack sounded throughout the area, and with only that warning, Unkar's arm crashed next to Tobias, who yelped as he jumped to the side.

 

"If the amulet chose true," Vendel continued, ignoring the shattered arm, "the Soothscryer will reveal it."

 

Oh, now that was worrying. Rumors of it had existed, a strange thing that would reveal one's true nature through a simple test. Strickler was very nervous about it for a good reason.

 

"Please!" Blinky begged, reaching out a hand, "Master Walter hasn't had even an hour's training!"

 

Vendel's face scrunched as he pointed down to a carved in set of footprints, "Mm-mmm."

 

Blinky, with great hesitance, stepped out of the way. Strickler swallowed, taking a tentative step forward. Even if he ran, he wouldn't make it far. He was surrounded, injured in enemy territory. He needed to blend, however dangerous. Besides, wasn't this only supposed to make sure the amulet had actually chosen him?

 

Taking his place as Vendel watched on with unchanging disappointment, the light from armor bled into the ground, dinging as the carvings lit up in red. The floor split, stone scraping as a great turning statue rapidly ascended through the opening. It stopped, leaving an open mouth that grew wider as spikes swirled endlessly inside of it.

 

"Behold, the Soothscryer! It will judge your true spirit. Insert your right hand, Trollhunter."

 

Oh, there was no bloody way! He glared at Vendel's merciless face, set in its ancient apathy.

 

"And what happens if I don't?"

 

Vendel leaned closer, stone mouth curling into a mocking grin, "Then we let Draal have his way."

 

Right. Of course. Why wouldn't anyone listen to a scorned child predisposed to violence and anger in all their gory forms?

 

He grit his teeth, "Will all my limbs remain attached?"

 

"That is part of the test."

 

Strickler glared one last time, cursing every one of Vendel's ancestors, as he took a step forward. The mouth was well out of reach but refusing to look foolish in front of someone silently rooting for his failure, stretched out his hand. With a flash, Daylight settled into his palm.

 

With a swing—envisioning the goat-like elder in the midst of his arc—he stuck it into the ground, satisfied as stone cracked and splintered from the impact. Without any glances to the scene behind him, most of the group most definitely looking on with a mix of worry and pity, he carefully climbed onto the stand the sword created.

 

Balancing despite the sharp pain in his ankle, Strickler stared at the taunting red maw of the machine. It rapidly opened and shut its mouth, a crude imitation of chewing. Was he really about to risk his hand—his hand—for a cover? Well, he assured himself, at least if it got torn off then they would assume he simply was an "ill-fated" choice. Only he would know the true meaning of it. The other option was most likely death at Draal's hands, and he refused to be taken down by Nomura's ex of all people.

 

With that dark thought pressing on his mind, he rolled back his shoulders—and with only minor hesitation—stuck his hand into the waiting crimson throat.

Notes:

So let's address some of the changes! Jim and Toby are less hesitant to join because it isn't solely Jim's responsibility this time around. Jim didn't think he was worthy, but he agreed eventually because of his sense of duty. But now that someone he cares about is in this position, in direct danger to protect him, he has absolutely no qualms about dropping everything to help. Especially since he's still looking for adventure at this point in time. Unhealthy, sure, but in character. Toby just straight up thinks it's cool. Strickler is NOT amused however.

Now, Draal... I love him, personally, he really competes for the #1 spot for fave character in this series, but Strickler would fucking hate him. Mostly because all he sees is a Bular substitute and doesn't hesitate enacting his shitty revenge fantasies. But have no worries, Jim will get his basement big brother. As for Blinky's little speech about him, I personally love the idea that he and AAARRRGGHH were like glorified babysitters with him. This doesn't fit into the canon timeline, I know, but I'm definitely changing elements of it to fit the story better and the characters. Draal gives me barely past teenage years vibes, therefore he'd only be four or five centuries old, and NOT old enough to be there for the Battle of Killahead bridge. The canon timeline is wacky anyways and I just like this better.

Anyways, until next time. I hope you enjoyed!