Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Category:
Fandom:
Relationship:
Characters:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-12-13
Updated:
2021-10-17
Words:
44,877
Chapters:
13/?
Comments:
44
Kudos:
164
Bookmarks:
15
Hits:
4,369

Let Fate Decide

Chapter Text

Ritsuka woke up in the morning alone in bed. It was warm and comfortable and didn’t bother her the way it might have with someone else… Douman was an early riser, that was just how he was. Ritsuka was sure if they were living together in an ordinary home living an ordinary life, he would already have breakfast ready.

Why do I like him so much? Ritsuka wondered as she cuddled into her pillow, still feeling a bit tired. It’s strange, isn’t it? She’d met so many men in Chaldeas. Very attractive men from a wide variety of backgrounds, and many who were available. Many who were fundamentally good people, too, which Douman was not. What attracts me to him so strongly? Ritsuka closed her eyes, thinking about it as she almost dozed off.

He reminds me of my mom, Ritsuka realized. It was strange to think since they were physically so disparate, but Douman was a lot like her mother. A powerful magus, very devoted to the craft… yet still seeing outside of it and showing compassion for those less fortunate. Romani couldn’t understand what it was like. He’d often praised her for being an “amateur” and said it was good she wasn’t a “real magus”. Ritsuka had never corrected him but the thing was, she’d always wanted to be a magus. Not a cold-hearted snake, no, but a magus like her mother and it had hurt that she just couldn’t be. She was like a child at the window of a candy shop looking in. Douman would understand. In his day and age, someone like her still had a place in the magus community, since everyone knew magic was real and it was bought and sold like anything else. It’s not like that anymore.

He also reminds me a little of my dad. That was even odder, in a way, since Douman’s personality was nothing like her father. But Ritsuka’s father had also been an early riser and loved to cook and make tea. Actually, I think Romani would understand. Didn’t he say once that what you imprint on is what you love? Maybe she was misremembering. But this was the basis of why Douman attracted her so much when other Servants… didn’t. Although, if she was specifically attracted to another magus, why – oh. All the other magus’ in Chaldeas were either cold hearted snakes or weird. Paracelsus and Merlin were both handsome but absolutely awful. Shakespeare wasn’t really a magus and would drive her insane and everyone else was out of the question. (Ritsuka desperately tried not to think about Gilles that way) The only one semi-acceptable was Avicebron and he was so introverted he wouldn’t even show his face!

Ritsuka sighed and rubbed her eyes before sitting up. It all made sense now and she felt better that she had it all sorted out in her own mind. There was nothing wrong with being attracted to Douman because he was a magus, and a lot of things right about it. They could talk sensibly about magic together, even if Ritsuka didn’t have the talent to do the things he could. Oh, where was Douman exactly? Ritsuka extended her senses and found him outside in the courtyard. Going to the window she looked out curiously and smiled as she saw he was practicing what looked like a very basic form of Kung Fu. He had said he worked out every day to maintain his body, when he was alive.

Douman seemed to sense her watching and broke off his exercise to look up at the windows. Their eyes met for a moment and Ritsuka suddenly felt breathless. Then his voice touched her mind. Ah, I see you are up. Would you like breakfast? They have made rice porridge with eggs. That sounded wonderful!

Definitely, I’ll meet you in the dining room, Ritsuka returned and quickly began getting dressed, zipping herself up. Douman was right really, the Chaldeas uniform was weird at best, but it couldn’t be helped. Turning around she saw the travelling kimono had helpfully materialized, neatly folded on the bed. Holding back a giggle, Ritsuka put it on. How Douman hated her uniform! It was kind of funny really.

When Douman met her in the common room of the inn, he was fully dressed in his black kimono and looking absolutely wonderful. Ritsuka held back a giggle as she saw two young girls at a nearby table surreptitiously checking him out as their father sipped his tea, oblivious.

Breakfast arrived quickly and as she ate, Ritsuka idly pictured Douman in the kitchen with Emiya and Boudica and Tamamo Cat, preparing food for all of Chaldeas and probably quietly feuding with Emiya about who would make the tea.

“Master? What was that?” What? Ritsuka blinked, coming out of her reverie and focusing on him. Douman was looking mildly puzzled. “A… cat woman wearing only an apron and barking like a fox?”

“Oh! Sorry, I didn’t mean to send that to you.” That could happen, though, when a Servant connection was really deepening. “That’s Tamamo Cat, one of the Tamamo Nine.” Douman’s eyes took on that vague look he got when he was communing with the Grail, then he blinked.

“Hmm, I see, another event that happened after I died. I wonder what role, if any, Abe no Seimei played in that?” What?!? Douman smiled, a toothy grin as he saw the look on her face. “Nevermind. That was likely my paranoia speaking. Although with Abe no Seimei, you never know.”

“Merlin,” Ritsuka murmured to herself. Often, you didn’t KNOW he was behind something but it was safe to think he probably was. “Are we about ready to go?” She was done her breakfast although Douman was only half done his. That was odd.

“Mmm, I believe so. The herbs the cook used in this are not to my taste.” Douman sipped his tea before shaking his head. “And the tea is bland again. This would be acceptable if I were hungry, but only then.” Herbs? Ritsuka looked into her bowl and saw that the remains did have some green flecks.

“I didn’t really notice,” Ritsuka said uncertainly, trying to remember what the food had tasted like. She’d been really hungry and had just enjoyed it, especially the egg. Douman chuckled, a soft, surprisingly pleasant sound.

“That is nothing to worry about. I was born with an excellent sense of taste, then honed it on cooking and alchemy. Both benefit from tasting the concoctions.” Tasting alchemy? Although, if was something meant to be drunk anyway, that did make sense. “I suspect the herbs in this were a dried blend, purchased cheaply at the apothecary and were mainly meant to make the dish seem fancier than mere porridge. Unfortunately, it included a few leaves that are mildly poisonous.” What? Ritsuka glanced at her bowl again. “Do not worry Master. The worst you would have from such a minute amount is a bit of digestive distress. But I recognized the bitterness.”

“That’s really interesting,” Ritsuka murmured as Douman finished his tea and set the cup aside. “Can you detect most poisons just from taste?” That could be really useful! Douman shook his head.

“Not really. The best poisons have no flavor and on a powerful onmyouji, only the best would be used.” Oh, that was true. Ritsuka’s mind went back to that cake she’d shared with Goredolf. Douman probably wouldn’t have noticed anything wrong with it. “I’m just good at detecting cooking accidents and foolish substitutions. I do think that’s likely spared me a few bad bouts of distress, in my life.”

“I see… do you know when the ship will be in?” Ritsuka asked, changing the subject. Douman nodded.

“From what I heard, it should be in port by mid-morning. I would suggest spending some time acquiring funds before we leave. The ship is, unfortunately, quite expensive.” Oh? Ritsuka gave him a questioning look and Douman shrugged. “This particular vessel is meant for the lesser nobility who don’t own pleasure barges of their own. It’s quite opulent and should be extremely comfortable, but at a cost. We should probably make a note to not return to this particular town.”

“I see. Well, that shouldn’t be a problem.” It would be in the real world but not in a Singularity.

The rest of the trip went as expected. The barge really was beautiful, with piles of cushions and a surprising number of cute little dogs brought by a young noblewoman. They were all very friendly and Ritsuka was able to pet and play with them, although they cowered away from Douman. Douman tried out various looks on her, using the cosmetics and perfecting the “look” they needed as they practiced her manner. He also used the things he’d bought from the apothecary to make the reagents he needed and Ritsuka was fascinated to learn they had a rather esoteric purpose… they would bind his spell firmly to an object, preventing it from being dispelled. The result of his efforts was a brown, partly crystallized cube that was deeply impregnated with magic to Ritsuka’s senses.

When they arrived in the capital, Ritsuka was favorably impressed. Heian Japan was a time of great cultural growth and prosperity and in the capital, it really showed. As they walked through the crowded streets she marveled a bit at the ancient architecture and mourned a bit at the fact that in the future, most of it would be gone. Douman walked in front of her, parting the crowds and Ritsuka noted with amusement that a lot of people recognized him and gave them a wide berth.

“Ritsuka!” Huh? “RITSUKA! Is that you???” Musashi? Ritsuka turned and waved, spotting the swordswoman agiley ducking and dodging to reach them. Douman paused, looking over his shoulder with a frown.

“Musashi! It’s great to see you! Did you finish your quest?” Ritsuka asked as she came to a halt in front of them. Mushashi made a pained expression.

“Yes, I did, and it was HORRIBLE!” Horrible? Why? “They were incredibly insulted when I asked for it and I got in a big fight. Which is fine, that one guy gave me a great duel, but then I found out WHY they were angry and I felt like a total heel.” Huh? “This was supposed to be the kids’ birthday gift but he was bit by a snake and died, just a month ago.”

“Oh, that’s horrible!” Ritsuka exclaimed, wondering as she did what Merlin could want this thing for. And what was it? “They gave it to you? And what is it?” She was really curious now. Musashi nodded.

“Yeah, the father of the kid said to take the cursed thing away… it’s just a knife though.” Musashi reached into her belt and pulled out a small knife in a blue leather scabbard. Ritsuka took it and looked at it with puzzlement, scanning it with her senses. There was nothing special about it at all, it was just the kind of dagger you would give to a child as their first weapon. Why would –

Then Douman plucked the knife out of her hands.

“Douman?” Ritsuka said uncertainly as her Servant stared at the knife like he’d seen a ghost. He held it in his hands, examining it in complete silence, then drew it out of the scabbard and examined the blade. He carelessly dropped the scabbard so he could hold the knife better, looking at it like it was the most fascinating thing in the world.

“Uh, this card also appeared. Maybe it’s for you?” Musashi offered Douman another gilt embossed card. He blinked and took it, reading it before chuckling, then laughing. He sounded just like Limbo but instead of malice, Ritsuka could hear genuine mirth in his laughter, like Douman had just been told an excellent joke.

“Amazing! Incredible! I salute you Master and you as well, Musashi!” Douman grinned toothily as he flourished the card, before giving it to her. “This Merlin creature is also unique in his utter chicanery! To give such a message to ME!” Ritsuka flicked up the card and the words inside too her breath away. Do the right thing. “Oh, and I will, if only out of sheer spite!” Douman held up the blade, sideways in front of him, grinning over the shining metal. “You see, Master, this is the weapon that took my life.”

“Ooo.” Musashi made a small sound as Ritsuka gasped. That meant… Douman finished both their thoughts.

“This blade is nothing at all, mystically speaking, but against a certain Alter Ego it is a potent artifact indeed.” Douman admired the knife for a moment before picking up the sheath and putting it away. “I’ll figure out how to use this later, although the obvious choice is likely the correct one.” Ritsuka swallowed as she considered what that meant. The obvious choice… wasn’t good. Very effective, but not good.

“We’ll try to avoid that,” she said firmly as Musashi bit her lower lip, looking troubled.

“I don’t know what you guys are talking about, but we probably shouldn’t be talking about it anymore in public anyway.” Ah, good point, although Douman hadn’t said anything so Limbo couldn’t be watching. “Where are you going? I didn’t think I would meet you here.”

“The Imperial Court, although we need to get the schedule first.” Douman said, gazing at Musashi curiously. “You wouldn’t happen to have that?”

“No, but I know where to get it, I can show you the way.” Oh, that was almost as good! “Just follow me!” Musashi took the lead then and Ritsuka saw, to her amusement, that she was just as good at parting the crowd as Douman. As she followed behind the two of them, Ritsuka moved with a bounce in her step.

She was so ready to see Mash again!


I’m ready to do this.

Ritsuka squared her shoulders, under her heavy kimono, and fanned herself as she waited on the Emperor’s pleasure. As she waited, she glanced around the imperial court. It was very beautiful, as she had expected. The silk hangings were incredibly fine and a few of them were oddly familiar. It took her a moment, but then Ritsuka recognized them as the same ones Douman had created for their temporary home. They weren’t quite the same, thanks to flaws in Douman’s memory. That was the problem with item creation, it depended heavily on the memory of the magus and the items could be subtly or not so subtly flawed because of it.

That was just a distraction though and Ritsuka glanced towards their quarry, feeling Douman’s presence over her head like a warm weight. Abe no Seimei was a beautiful young man with flaming red hair and very pale skin. His face was really incredibly handsome, with foxy features and an impish smile that spelled trouble to Ritsuka. His hair was mostly loose, but portions of it had been gathered into braids, thick boxy ones that were capped with golden beads. As she examined him, Ritsuka felt something odd from Douman. Puzzlement?

Douman? Is something wrong? Ritsuka asked her disembodied Servant. They had decided that manifesting him from nowhere would be the best way to impress the court.

It is nothing Master. Well if it was nothing he could tell her what it was. Douman seemed to feel her impatience and continued. His hair… he never wore braids like that, not once that I remember. But this is the time I went into exile so perhaps I missed it. Huh. That was kind of odd, but Douman was right, it was probably nothing. And that necklace, what happened to that? It’s very fine but I never saw him wear it. Oh? Ritsuka glanced towards Abe no Seimei and really examined the necklace for the first time. It was a beautiful piece of what looked like solid gold, reminding her strongly of the one Tamamo no Mae wore. Perhaps he gave it away as a gift.

That could be… Somehow, this was making her feel worried though. Can you tell me if he does anything else that seems odd?

Yes Master. Douman sounded a bit troubled now. Although she could still sense the way all his attention was on Seimei, like a hunting hound that had spotted its prey and just beneath the surface was that rage and loathing he always carried. This really felt like a very controlled version of Penthesilea…

Vaguely wondering what Penthesilea would be like if she wasn’t a Berserker, Ritsuka continued to wait. She had a good sense of the right moment and Douman confirmed it with a murmur in her ear. Stepping forward, Ritsuka snapped her fan dramatically. That caught everyone’s attention.

“Abe no Seimei, I am told you are a master of shikigami. I too, claim that specialty,” Ritsuka said firmly, fixing her goal in mind. This was to reach the Shadow Border and Mash! “I challenge you to a duel of magecraft, with the loser owing the winner a boon.” Ritsuka could almost feel all the onmyouji of the court examining her, mostly with wariness. They could tell her mage circuits were terrible and that meant she had a trick up her sleeve. Most of her attention was on Abe no Seimei, though.

“A chance to win a boon from such a beautiful woman? How could I refuse?” Abe no Seimei’s frankly appreciative stare made Ritsuka’s cheeks heat and she could feel Douman’s ire like a dark cloud. “What will the terms of this contest be?”

“You will do battle with my shikigami.” Ritsuka gestured with her fan and Douman materialized. He was wearing nothing but a plain grey hakama with a brown obi. That was a deliberate choice, to emphasis that SHE was in control. There was a brief silence, then shocked whispers from the court. Ritsuka could feel the senses of the onmyouji sweeping over them both, evaluating Douman’s nature.

“Ashiya Douman? What is this madness?” The Emperor demanded before looking at Abe no Seimei. He was silent for a moment, as if he was thinking but Ritsuka had the oddest feeling that he was… enjoying this? It was nothing on his face, just a feeling. But she wasn’t going to let them ignore her.

“Ashiya Douman is my summoned spirit, my familiar. This is MY magic, the mastery of the spirits of the dead,” Ritsuka proclaimed, ignoring all the problems with that. “And time is not linear, in the plane of spirits so Douman can be summoned at any time, before or after his death.” Ritsuka added, anticipating the coming objection.

“Really? So you want to redo our prior match? How interesting!” Seimei exclaimed, bright eyed with excitement. “You must be so much more experienced! Maybe you can even come close to winning.” Oh dear. Ritsuka felt Douman hanging onto his temper with an iron control that felt very, very practiced.

“Not if the third test is Clairvoyance. We both know my skill with that is horrendous and it is an inborn trait, not something that can be learned,” Douman’s tone was biting and Ritsuka suddenly understood how he’d developed that tone. A defense mechanism, so he could let some of his rage out when he HAD to be polite. “So I suggest that the third contest be decided by chance. We will roll the dice, high roll is the winner.”

“What a delightful idea! I agree. If my Master wills it?” Ritsuka blinked at the mocking tone as Seimei looked towards the Emperor. From what she knew of Heian Japan, the Emperor might be a figurehead, but it still seemed odd. Ritsuka glanced towards Douman and met his glance towards her and knew she didn’t need to ask. This is odd.

“If that is what you wish,” The Emperor’s tone was reserved and Ritsuka was sure he wasn’t happy about the blatant disrespect. Seimei smiled, widely and insincerely before turning back to them. Then his smile warmed into something more genuine.

“You go first, my beloved enemy,” Seimei invited and Ritsuka felt Douman’s hesitation before he gave Seimei a tight smile. Then he reached into his pouch and pulled out the brown cube.

What followed was breathtaking to a magus. Douman chanted and Ritsuka watched, fascinated, as a beautifully complex and insanely powerful spell took shape. She could never hope to do something like this but she could try to understand, and Ritsuka could tell that Douman was using some very complicated mathematically based equations in his spell. Then it completed and the cube shattered, the bits turning into a brown liquid that smelled like incense. In the air – the air? – gorgeous fractal patterns took shape. They were incredibly complicated, changing constantly and shifting colors and seemed tied to nothing but air.

“Ohhhh,” Ritsuka murmured as she understood. Douman had bound his spell to AIR MOLECULES! And he was using Chaos magic, somehow borrowing from the Imaginary Sea? He must have taken what he’d learned from Da Vinci and turned it into a spell! There was whispering and gasps from the whole court as they waited for Abe no Seimei to respond.

Abe no Seimei studied the spell for a long moment and Ritsuka thought he was very handsome like that, absorbed in complete concentration. Then he blinked and looked at Douman.

“I can’t possibly dispel that. I concede the victory to you,” Seimei said and there were more gasps from the court. But then the half-Kitsune grinned and Ritsuka swallowed. That toothy grin and the malice behind it reminded her of Limbo. “HOWEVER! Dispel this, my greatest rival!” Then Seimei began casting and Ritsuka held her breath. He wouldn’t have the reagent that Douman had carefully prepared, what would he do?

A tone rang out, then another, and another and they quickly blended into a horrible, disharmonic whole. They weren’t loud but Ritsuka still winced in pain, then blinked as she saw Douman’s fractals shift, their colors wavering wildly. Her breath stopped in her throat for a moment as she realized what Seimei had done… he’d piggybacked his spell onto Douman’s, using the air molecules to carry his spell too, which was musical in nature.

“STOP!” Douman screamed and Ritsuka almost jumped out of her skin before turning to look at him. He had both his hands over his ears and his eyes were glowing red with rage. “YOU KNOW I HAVE PERFECT PITCH, YOU INSUFFERABLE ASSHOLE!” Oh dear. Seimei laughed, clearly enjoying his enemies’ discomfort.

“That’s the challenge, isn’t it? Go on, dispel it if you can!” Seimei said merrily and Douman cursed him and all his ancestors before trying to dispel it. The first thing he tried was dispelling his own magic and the fractals vanished, but that did nothing at all and the tones continued to ring. Ritsuka watched helplessly as Douman kept his hands over his ears, chanting spells with grim determination even as the sound tormented him.

“I surrender. I cannot dispel this,” Douman sounded grim but unsurprised. Ritsuka bit her bottom lip. She’d known it would come to this, but it still wasn’t welcome. Seimei smiled and dispelled his own magic with a short, quick word. The sound going away was a relief to everyone and Ritsuka could see that several people in the court had been suffering as much as Douman. “Well, shall we?” Douman opened a hand and revealed his dice, simple white and black. Seimei did the same, creating a set of dice that were tinted blue and Ritsuka could feel the two onmyouji scanning each others dice, making sure there was no trickery. “High roll wins.” Then Douman and Seimei both tossed the dice. They clattered to the floor and Ritsuka held her breath as they came to rest. Seimei had rolled a seven and Douman had rolled…

Nine!

“Ah, it seems I’ve lost,” Seimei said carelessly and Ritsuka could sense Douman’s ire. It almost formed words. He isn’t taking me seriously. Moving on instinct she reached out and gently touched his shoulder. His muscles felt hard as a rock but then he took a deep breath and Ritsuka felt them relax a bit. “What boon do you desire?”

“The use of your workspace, for the casting of a single spell,” Ritsuka replied, meeting his gaze. “I swear that it will not in any way harm Japan.” That should be Seimei’s only real concern in this. Seimei seemed surprised for a moment, then smiled warmly.

“Something that easy? Wonderful! Of course, I’ll need to supervise you but it shouldn’t be a problem. Would you like to spend supper with my family first? We can have a wonderful time!” …Why did something about that seem wrong? Ritsuka felt like they were being taunted, somehow.

We have little choice but to accept this invitation, Douman whispered in her mind and Ritsuka sighed internally. She’d rather get Mash NOW, but they needed to be gracious.

“I would be glad to accept your invitation,” she said as smoothly as she could and Seimei smiled again, bright and insincere. Then the court went on and Ritsuka hoped they could get all of this over soon.

She NEEDED to see Mash again!