Actions

Work Header

We got Married!

Summary:

Top swimmer, Lee Jeno and popular Idol, Na Jaemin are the new couple for the variety show Married Life. The two meet by chance, before the show starts, not knowing the other is their partner, and Jeno sees a side of Jaemin that puts him off the pop star.

When Jaemin turns up as his husband for the next few months, Jeno is not confident he can act the part in front of the cameras...Can he get away with faking his love for his TV husband?

Jaemin is suffering from a heartbreak himself and this show is more of a nuisance to him...will they be able to overcome their obstacles and both find true love within themselves?

Notes:

It's me with another nomin fic!! I really hope this one receives a lot of love 💕 Married life is based on the show 'We got married.' my twitter is @jenosight if you want to talk or anything. Enjoy Reading!!!

(See the end of the work for more notes.)

Chapter 1: Chapter 1

Chapter Text

Jaemin wakes up to the sound of the shower running. Groaning, he turns and feels the empty space next to him and sighs. Wooseok had promised to stay with him for the whole day and seeing as he’s taking a shower, his boyfriend probably leaving soon.

Jaemin stands from the bed, a small chill hitting his naked body so he pulls on a robe. The water turns off just as he’s tying the robe and Wooseok steps out of the shower shortly after, a towel wrapped around his waist and one rubbing his hair dry.

Wooseok is Jaemin’s boyfriend of three years and yet Jaemin still can’t believe a man as gorgeous as Wooseok is his. Jaemin pouts at him and Wooseok gives him a million-dollar smile.

“Did I wake you, gorgeous?”

“You promised you were going to stay with me today.” Jaemin says, watching his boyfriend open his closet. Wooseok has outfits he leaves here for when he stays over.

“I know, but the office called and they said it’s urgent.”

“This always happens.”

Wooseok walks towards Jaemin and pulls him into his arms. “I’m sorry baby. Why don’t we do something special for our anniversary next week?”

Jaemin smiles into his neck. “You remembered?”

“Of course, it’s our third year anniversary. I have something special planned.”

Jaemin pulls back slightly to look up at him. “Really? I can look forward to it?”

“Yes, you can.” Wooseok confirms and then places a chaste peck on his lips. “I have to go now though, I’ll call you later.”

Jaemin nods and lets him go. “Alright. Get dressed then.”

Wooseok leaves after a few minutes and Jaemin heads over to the living room. He feels a little growl in his stomach but takes out a chicken shake and some fruit. He has a photoshoot tomorrow, sadly so he can’t eat much. He settles in front of the couch and switches on the TV.

A sports channel is playing, a swimming match, Wooseok or his manager had probably left it there, Jaemin is about to change the channel when he notices one of the athletes is Korean, his name listed as Lee Jeno, and out of curiously Jaemin leaves it on. Lee Jeno turns out to be a really good swimmer, winning almost all the matches. He also is ridiculously handsome and has an innocent smile on his face that makes Jaemin want to cheer for him.

Jaemin finds himself getting so into it that he almost doesn’t hear the doorbell ring. He stands rather grudgingly to buzz the person in.

“What’s up?” Jaemin says as his manger comes in, back on the couch. His manager tuts and closes the door after him.

“I’ve told you to always ask who’s at the door before opening. What if I was a stalker?” Jaemin knows his manger means well but, he’s not in the mood to listen today.

“Today’s a free day for me, as it is for you, so why are you here?” Jaemin asks. Lee Jeno is starting a new race on the screen and is looking very hot while wet.

“We received an offer to cast you in ‘Married Life’. The show where two strangers meet and get married the next day and have to live as a married couple for some of months.”

Jaemin finally looks away from the television. “I thought we were going to start thinking about my solo album? What do you mean Married Life?”

Jaemin's manager sighs and takes a seat on the couch. “Yes, but this show is really popular lately and it’ll be good for you get more known. Show your cute and fun personality on tv and get every single person in the nation to fall in love with you. Your solo will be a confirmed success then.”

That made sense to Jaemin, but he’s still a bit bummed out that he’ll have to push back his solo one more time. “But I have a boyfriend. I don’t think Wooseok will like the idea of me pretending to be with someone else on camera.”

His manger raises a brow. “Wooseok doesn’t have a say in this. If you don’t want to do it that’s fine but don’t let your relationship hinder you from success.”

Jaemin turns back to the tv and sees that Lee Jeno has won the match. He’s celebrating with what seems to be his coach and has a huge smile on. He looks like a puppy. “Who will I be doing it with?”

His manger smiles, knowing Jaemin has more or less accepted to appear on the show. “You know I can’t tell you that,” He turns to the T.V and appears shocked for a mini second. “I didn’t know you watched sports?”

Jaemin shrugs. “I don’t. Just this one time. Do you know Lee Jeno?”

“Does anyone not know Lee Jeno?” Jaemin gives him a confused look and he continues. “He’s a swimming prodigy, 1st in South Korea and the only Korean athlete to win a gold medal at this year’s World aquatic championships. He won a gold medal for every solo and almost every team competition he participated in.”

“He’s so cool.” Jaemin is amazed. He looks back at the tv, watching the swimmer bow to accept his medal, he also looks really young, about Jaemin’s age. How nice is it to achieve so much at such a young age?

“He is.”

That’s the end of the conversation and his manger leaves not too long after that. Jaemin spends the remaining day lying about, texting his friends, and then exercising late at night. He puts on a face mask before sleeping to prep his skin for tomorrow.

Jaemin arrives at the venue magazine cover shoot, the next day, with the other three members of his boy band, BlackCode. One of the best parts about being a celebrity to Jaemin is getting dressed up.

“I heard you’re getting cast for Married life?” One of his members, Youngjoon asks.

Jaemin nods. “Yeah, I thought it might be fun so I agreed.”

“Isn’t it great to be the popular one? The rest of us barely have any work.” Hyejun, the oldest says and the atmosphere runs cold. BlackCode has been a group for six years and while they have a few hit songs, Jaemin is the most known member. He’s gone viral a year ago for one of his fancams and he’s had a lot of calls to variety shows, commercials and even cameos in dramas.

The group had been close friends but when Jaemin suddenly became popular, Hyejun became passive aggressive, Youngjoon distanced himself but only Chan still treated him the same.

“Hyung, don’t say that.” Chan says in reply, glancing worriedly at Jaemin in the mirror and Jaemin gives him a small smile. He’s no longer sensitive to Hyejun’s remarks, he’s learnt to ignore them.

They finish their make-up and outfits in silence and get ready to take their pictures. The photographer makes it a point to put Jaemin in front and centre and make the other members feel like background members and it makes Jaemin feel bad.

After the whole mortifying affair, Jaemin leaves in his personal car, the last to leave since he took his solo shots last. Taking out his phone, he calls Wooseok but it goes to voice mail. Jaemin sighs, dropping the phone in annoyance. He doesn’t feel like going back to an empty house, he wants some contact with people who don’t hate him.

At that moment, his phone rings. It’s Jungwoo, one of Jaemin’s friends so he picks up happily. “Hey, you called at a great time.”

“Hi, Jaemin. How are you?”

“I’m good, I just finished a shoot and I’m looking for someone to hang out with. Hyung, are you busy?”

“I have some vocal training today,” Jungwoo says and Jaemin notices something up with his voice. “And I have something to tell you.”

“What’s up?”

“I remember you told me yesterday that Wooseok hyung was working, but Jisung told me he saw Wooseok hyung and Chan leaving a club together.”

Jaemin blinks, his brain not processing the information fast enough. “W-what? Wooseok and Chan? That doesn’t make sense, they haven’t met, I haven’t introduced them.”

“I’m just telling you what I heard,” Jungwoo says softly. “Why don’t you ask Wooseok, maybe there’s an explanation.”

An explanation for Wooseok to leave a club with Chan? Jaemin doesn’t think so, but he tries to believe Jungwoo. There must be an explanation. But why wouldn’t they just tell Jaemin if they knew each other, and why was Wooseok even in a club? He told him he was working all night. And Chan, his friend for all these years, they’d been close since their trainee days so why?

Jaemin shakes his head to clear it and speaks into the phone. “Thank you, Hyung. I’ll call you back later.” He hangs up before he can hear Jungwoo’s reply.

Putting his car into motion, he speeds off to Wooseok’s apartment building, his intention to ask him about Chan and hopes his boyfriend gives him a reasonable explanation. Jaemin calls Wooseok one more time on his way but it goes to voice mail again. He parks his car in the lot and sees his boyfriend’s fancy red car there as well. He’s definitely home. Jaemin wonders what he’s doing to not pick up his calls.

Jaemin takes out his cap and covers his platinum blonde away in it to prevent attention. Putting on his sunglasses, he exits the car and goes into the building. It’s afternoon on a week day so there’s almost no one around to notice Jaemin.

Jaemin reaches the flat in no time and takes a deep breathe outside his door. He presses the doorbell but there’s no reply. After a couple of minutes, Jaemin puts in the passcode, Wooseok had told him once, and opens the door.

The lights are on but Wooseok isn’t in the living room. Jaemin spots Wooseok's phone abandoned on the couch and feels a tiny bit of relief that he’s not ignoring his calls, he just didn’t see them. Jaemin moves towards the bedroom and hears a laugh.

A familiar laugh.

The bedroom door is slightly open so Jaemin peeks in and his heart drops. Wooseok and Chan are wrapped in each other’s arms, half naked and laughing about something they’re talking about. Wooseok is giving Chan that smile, the one that consistently melts Jaemin’s heart. Chan is smiling at Wooseok the same way he used to smile at Jaemin, a smile of friendship and warmth.

Jaemin’s heart shatters into piece at the sight, tears stinging his eyes as they drop. When did they stop giving him those smiles and start giving them to the other?

Jaemin knows he can’t confront them, look in their eyes right now without breaking down so he turns away and makes a beeline for the door.

He’s out of there in a flash and back to his car. Jaemin’s hands are shaking as he tries to open car but the tears blind his vision. So, he just bends beside the automobile, covers his face and sobs. He thinks of the kisses Wooseok gave him just yesterday and the promise of an amazing third year anniversary. He thinks of how Chan had supported him just earlier that day and wonders how the both of them could do this to her. Chan had been the only member of BlackCode to know he’d had a boyfriend, because Jaemin trusted him. But he’s been stabbed in the back by both of them and Jaemin feels lost.

“Are you okay?”

Jaemin freezes at the voice and hesitantly looks up, already thinking of how to get out of this situation. The voice belongs to a young man, a handsome one and his face seems very familiar.

Jaemin tries to stand immediately but his legs cramp and he almost falls backward but this handsome stranger catches him by the waist and pulls Jaemin towards him instead. Jaemin heart hammers in his chest from shock and another emotion that he can’t place as he holds onto the stranger’s broad shoulders to steady himself.

Jaemin looks into stranger's brown eyes, which seems really familiar, and feels lost in them for a moment, the world mutes and he can’t think of anything and he almost forgets that he’s heartbroken and crying.

“Hello?”

Jaemin is brought back to reality as he blinks rapidly. The handsome stranger is looking at him weirdly and Jaemin notices that he’s still holding him so he lets go immediately.

“I’m sorry.” Jaemin mumbles. He’s so stupid, what if he’s recognised?

“It’s okay. Are you okay though? You’re crying, do you need help?” the stranger asks worriedly, he doesn’t seem to know who Jaemin is.

“I’m fine,” Jaemin replies and wipes his tears, forcing a small smile. “It’s the wind. Allergies.” He gestures vaguely.

“Oh, allergies.” The man repeats, obviously not believing him but deciding not to push. “Do you live here?”

Jaemin shakes his head vigorously. “I was just leaving actually.”

“Oh,” He nods and then smiles at Jaemin and suddenly it clicks. Jaemin knows where he’s seen the stranger before.

“You’re Lee Jeno! The swimmer!”

“Oh, you know who I am.” Jeno rubs the back of his neck and appears shy.

“Yeah, recently.” Jaemin smiles feeling excited. It’s like fate. “I happened to watch the sports channel yesterday and you were great!” He emphasizes how great Jeno was with a thumbs up making Jeno laugh a little.

“Thank you. I’m honoured. What’s your name?”

It’s been a while since he’s introduced himself. “I’m Na Jaemin. Nice to meet you.”

They shake hands and Jaemin feels all giddy inside, like meeting his idol, though he just knew of Jeno yesterday. Jaemin also realises Jeno’s way more handsome in real life.

“Well, I have to go now, I’m meeting a friend here.” Jeno says finally and lets go of Jaemin hand which Jaemin didn’t even realise he was still holding.

“Okay, I’ll be leaving then.” Jaemin says. “It was nice to meet you.”

“Likewise, and I sincerely hope your allergies don’t act up again.” Jeno gives him one last smile and walks away. Jaemin watches him leave and with how much farther he got, the feeling of sadness and heartbreak comes back. Jaemin sighs and gets into the car. He’s not looking forward to spending his day alone.

Jaemin goes home takes a change of clothes and goes back out. He drives to the hospital instead, it’s become something Jaemin does whenever he feels down. He greets the nurses and hands them some coffee and sandwiches. “Keep up the good work.”

They accept it with smiles and sweet words. Jaemin keeps conversation for a minute before entering the private ward room. His mother, the only last living family Jaemin has, lay motionless on the bed hooked to different machines.

“Hi Mum,” Jaemin sits next to her and holds her cold hands, talking to his mum always makes him feel better, even though she couldn’t reply. “How are you doing? I hope you’re doing fine, though I can’t say the same for myself. I’m so stupid, Mum. I’m so stupid for opening my heart to them and thinking it would be safe. I’m so stupid for loving him.”

Jaemin feels the new wave of tears and this time he lets himself sob. Harder than before and in the comfort of his mother.

<> 

The next day, Jaemin updates his manger about where he is and then sends a text to Chan asking to see him now, and one to Wooseok asking to see later. Jaemin had woken up angry, angry at both of them, angry at himself and angry at the world.

Chan arrives in the early afternoon, a smile on his face as he enters the hospital room, like there always is when he meets Jaemin but Jaemin just wants to slap the smile of his face.

Chan gives Jaemin a small basket of fruits. “I didn’t want to come empty handed.”

“Must be hard to put all this effort into being nice.” Jaemin can't help himself and ignores Chan’s confused look, putting the fruits away. “Let’s go somewhere else to talk.”

Jaemin takes Chan to the fire escape and immediately gets down to it, not wanting to waste time. “How long have you and Wooseok hyung being sneaking around my back?”

Chan is obviously surprised and looks lost for a second before he sighs, his expression suddenly becoming cold, one Jaemin has never seen on the former. “You were the one who rang his doorbell yesterday? If you saw us why didn’t you just say so, the we could’ve sorted this out earlier.”

“What do you mean?” Jaemin is taken aback by his boldness, shamelessness, but he doesn’t show it.

“I mean…Wooseok hyung told me he’s sick of you. He wants to end things with you but you can’t take a hint and keep clinging on to him. He’s promised me to break up with you soon. He loves me now.”

Jaemin stares open-mouthed. It takes a lot of struggle for words to come out, the hurt lacing them obvious. “He said that?”

“And more. Do you want to hear the rest?”

“Are you enjoying this?” Jaemin spits out in disgust.

“It’s not every day the great Jaemin doesn’t get what he wants. How does it feel knowing I took your boyfriend? I made him lose his feelings for you and love me instead. It shows you’re nothing special.”

This is when Jaemin realises, Chan was never his friend. He’d been just as jealous and spiteful as the other members. He just faked it to be on Jaemin’s good side. The rage burns Jaemin and something just clicks in him.

“You know what? You can have Wooseok. And since you’re all so disgusted with me, you’ll never have to deal with me anymore. Go back to the dorm and tell Youngjoon and Hyejun hyung that I’m leaving the group. I can’t deal with you bitch asses anymore”

Jaemin sees the regret in Chan’s eyes immediately though he tries to cover it up but it’s obvious with how his voice slightly shakes. “You can’t just decide to leave the group on your own.”

“Watch me. You know the chairman loves me and will do anything I ask.” Jaemin sneers. “Since I’m the only one who actually makes money for him. Oh, and I wonder how much fans you guys will have left without me?” With that, Jaemin turns to leave but Chan grabs his arm but Jaemin pulls his arm out of the former’s grasp harshly. “Don’t fucking touch me.”

“I-” Chan stumbles, his voice and hands trembling. “I must have been crazy; I must have been really crazy to say all those things to you just now. I promise, I’ll never even look at Wooseok hyung again, so please, don’t leave the group. What will we do without you?”

“Well, you should have thought of that before pissing me off.” Jaemin retorts angrily and shoulders Chan, walking out.

And it feels satisfying.