Actions

Work Header

Eclipse - Act 3 - Shadow of Destiny

Summary:

6 years after the Inhumane Necessity, the Huntsmen are no more and Salem rules Remnant. The Gods have picked their champion, brought back to this world in a last ditch attempt to stop Salem. Now Pyrrha must find who remains and turn foes to friends to right all the wrongs. Meanwhile Ruby embarks on a dangerous mission which becomes deadlier than she could imagine...

Chapter Text

Darkness… of all the things she imagined on the day of her death… darkness was the one thing she feared.

Pyrrha sat up with a start, clawing at her chest, her shoulders, all the places that steel or claw punctured her. In their place, she felt only smooth skin or cracked leather. It was only after the startled wound searching that she took in her surroundings, or lack of. Jet black encircled her infinitely. She panted, gulping a heavy breath, stomach abuzz with swarming bees. Her eyes flit from left to right.

A whisper in one ear, she yelped and whipped round to face that side. Infinite blackness. A whisper in the other. She repeated the action. Infinite blackness. Her heartbeat grew more and more... no, wait it didn't. She had no pulse, no beat in her chest.

A hand fell atop her chest, rapid breaths escaping her, yet her heart rate was null. Pyrrha, quivering violently, peeled her hand back and looked down her palm. Her body had a hazy rainbow effect encompassing. A trippy movement of her hand back and forth revealed the colour spectrum slowly lagging behind the action.

She dropped her hand to her side and fell back to land on her elbows. A splash sounded and she looked down to the temperature-less water beneath, something she didn't even realise she was laying in. It felt of nothing, not cold, not hot. It just brushed against her and made her skin wet, that's all she knew and all she could feel. Hot tears dripped off of her face, splashing into the rippling black inch deep water she found herself in.

"Truth." voices whispered all around her, Pyrrha yelping and retreating into a frail ball, hugging her knees. "Destiny." they harshly spat in hissing tones. "Infinite, and unbound."

Pyrrha gulped, rocking in the water, eyes slammed shut as she feared to open them. She knew what she wanted to say. She knew, it was on the tip of her tongue, teetering on the edge of her lips, ready to jump.

"A-Am I dead?"

Suddenly she was stood, she didn't even remember standing, didn't remember the feeling of muscles constricting and expanding within the action. She was just... standing.

Her hairs stood on end as she shuddered, then her head lifted as she saw him stood ahead of her, amongst the darkness and the water. Featureless apart from a pair of curved horns… he was short and hunched forward, glowing a dark purple, then he slowly turned, revealing his featureless face to her.

“Is this how you want you story to end?” His asked, his voice was dark, croaky and menacing.

“W-Who are you? WHERE AM I?” She shrieked with terror.

"The whispers tell me of your tale." The entity spoke, holding its hands behind its back, remaining hunched forward.

He slowly walked forward, slightly hunched, hands behind his back. His feet sloshed the rippling water, his featureless face tilting to her, the ram horns on his head becoming more prominent with each step. She cowered back a few steps as he neared.

But with each step forward he slowly shrunk down to her size.

"Dead. Killed by fire and steel." It spoke.

Pyrrha's spine chilled and her skin paled. So. She was dead. All that talk, all that spiel of not being afraid, yet here she stood, absolutely terrified.

"Who are you?" She repeated her previous question, quivering.

"I? I am Darkness. The brother to light. I helped forge the world you called home." The Brother of Darkness revealed.

"Remnant?"

"In the end."

"I... I don't want to be dead." Pyrrha spoke with a thick lump in her throat.

"Yet here you are. Laudable." The Brother of Darkness chuckled sinisterly as he circled her, examining her.

Pyrrha swiped her tears aside, hugging herself and looking small. She squeezed her eyes shut, teeth chattering through fear, when she asked.

"D-Did... is Jaune... is my..."

"Gone."

Pyrrha's eyes widened, bloodshot and welling. Then they squinted and erupted forth fresh tears, face buried in her hands as she wailed and cried uncontrollably. The purple figure simply stood before her, watching her cry.

She sobbed for hours it seemed, hugging herself as tight as she could, feeling herself grow colder and colder.

"And that is why you're here. Standing before me."

His eerie voice startled her, emerald watery eyes looking up.

"W-What?"

"Even darkness requires the light."

"W-Wait, what do you mean?" Pyrrha asked, standing up, sniffling and wiping her eyes. The Brother of Darkness tilted his featureless head.

"In this waking nightmare. Where all dreams come true..." He walked up to her, hands behind his back, hunched forward. His gravelly tones shuddered up her back as he stalked around her. "...You searched for control. A way to pull through. When you were in love, you left him in tears.." Pyrrha looked down as his hand guided her chin. In the ripples were flashing images of her life. The moment she kissed him, before shoving him into a locker, and leaving him alone, believing her dead. "...To smother your furies and banish your fears. But in darkness they came. Through never ending night, they burned your soil…”

Her glazed eyes locked on the water below, reflecting the Black smog of Grimm destroying the school. He stood behind her, leaning down with his head slightly tilted as he stared at her, over her shoulder.

"Do you still hear his screams?"

Pyrrha shut her eyes at his words, tears dripping down her cheeks. Darkness skulked around her to stand in front of the Champion, staring ahead at the darkness.

"And now, that you're home... He's so far away." Pyrrha looked up at his words, red eyes watery upon the god. He was talking of Jaune, wasn't he? Of course he was! "They've taken his soul..." He said, turning to face her.

Pyrrha - defeated - looked down, at the moving collage of her times with Jaune in the ripples. Her memories. Darkness placed a palm on his chest, gesturing to himself, his fist tightening as he looked up at the sky, and in the darkness the Shattered Moon was projected from a small light.

"...To these Gods you cannot pray."

Pyrrha looked up at him again as his eyeless gaze snapped back to her, his pace motioning towards her. "They can break you, but not your promise. Even death won't keep you apart. Through this darkness you will find him. In your sword, still beats a heart!"

His purple hand pressed to her forehead, and with a brilliant white flash behind her eyelids, she woke up with a sharp gasping gulp of air, clutching her chest and feeling the wounds beneath her fingers. Pain flooded her senses; the coppery taste of blood filled her cotton mouth.

There she lay, on the scorched rubble that killed her, the spikes of rebar that impaled her shattered and turned to dust, looking up at the daylight pouring through the hole from which she fell. She was alive. Half dead and brutally injured. But alive. For a purpose.

But…

There was vegetation everywhere, water fell into the building she was in, the Vault where Ozpin, Ironwood, Qrow and Glynda once took her, all people who were now dead. Flora had claimed the Academy, with moss and large vines wrapping around the huge pile of rubble that reached up to the roof where she plummeted after the explosion, and the bright sun bled through the opening above her.

Slowly, gingerly, she clambered to her cold feet. Every lick of her lips tasted of iron, the hot drying blood trickling down her nose to her chin. Panting, the beaten champion turned to look at the rubble that had killed her. Her blood was once there, but a lot of time had passed, to the point where it was invisible.

Forgotten.

She gasped as she grasped her clothes, they were torn, moth eaten and her armour old and rusted from time. She had to cover herself as she limped, shivering to the touch, nearly naked from the torn broken state her once beautiful clothes and armour were in. She swallowed thickly, pressing a hand over her stomach, fingers tracing the instant scar tissue.

It was real… it happened.

She died.

She felt queasy, unable to stop staring at the spot of her death. Where she would've laid lifelessly until maybe one day someone found her. She shut her eyes and winced, dropping to a knee.

She was alive, resurrected for a cause she did not understand or know of. But she was not out of the woods yet. Her body throbbed. Her heart felt out a rhythm she was so aware of every slow beat. Her vision was short sighted, anything outside a foot of her radius blurry and fuzzy. Every step was a struggle, her body was thin, she could barely even walk properly. She stared up at the tower of rubble, wide eyed.

With a steely gulp she lifted herself to her feet and slowly limped away from the rubble pile, the lone column of light shining down upon it. The silence was harrowing as she limped through the darkness of the underground vault. Then she remembered with a start.

She turned and looked over the rubble to the dark distance. She focused her eyesight as hard as she could, stumbling drunkenly on the spot. There it was.

The two pods. The arrow hole in the glass. Where Amber died. Where Cinder killed her, and where she fought Ozpin. Pyrrha gulped at the sour memories. She never even realised that those Pods were still there after all this time, even before Beacon fell. She cried out in pain as she roused herself to press on, she limped to the elevator, only finding that there was no power, and looked like it had been abandoned for years.

“H-How long has it been?” She stammered nervously.

Incoherent whispers were all she could hear. She didn't know what they were saying, who they were or why. And right now she didn't have the heart to care. it felt like a mile of limping just to reach an old broken elevator, with no way out of this subterranean vault.

“I… how do I get out of here?” She whimpered, but then that dark voice returned.

“Climb.” The Brother of Darkness growled, she turned, her eyes wide as her long let down hair flicked with her. He was stood there, his hands held together as he watched her, she limped over to him.

“W-What?” Pyrrha stammered.

“The means of your freedom are before you. Climb, to the heavens from this hell you awoke.” The Brother of Darkness commanded, she gasped as she stared at the tower of rubble caused from the explosion, it did indeed reach high enough for her to get out of there… but there was another problem.

“I… I can barely walk… how do you e-expect me to…” She gasped, speaking even hurt.

“Are you not Pyrrha Nikos, the child who amazed thousands upon thousands with her physical prowess?” The Brother of Darkness asked her curiously.

“I died… I’m no invincible girl.” She hissed.

“And yet… here you stand.” He said, Pyrrha walked away from him, and then looked back, finding his Apparition to be gone, like he was never there at all.

“O-Okay… c’mon Pyrrha… just… just climb out of here.” She stammered, and she approached the rubble and started to make the climb, grappling onto sharp rocks and rebar as she pulled her weak body up. But the rocks loosened, and she fell onto the ground with a gasp of pain, wincing in pain as she laid on the rubble. Water fell from above, onto her dry lips. She clenched her hands into fists, and immediately continued on, and climbed with everything she had.

It felt like it was hours, but eventually she reached the top, hauling herself up onto solid ground above. She rolled onto her back and gasped as the sun blinded her for a few moments, until her eyes became accustomed. She pushed her hands against her damp knees as her armour dangled from loose fabric. She grasped her breasts as she limped, looking around as her torn bleached clothes dangled around her body.

She saw trees, bushes and wildlife everywhere, but the buildings were nearly all gone, collapsed and blown apart from when Jaune set off the Bombs to try and stop Salem from taking him. The Fountain was gone, but a small river… a babbling brook and growing forest had formed in the place of the once bustling Academy of Warriors. Now it was abandoned completely, and gods now how many years had passed since.

But judging by how young the forest seemed, it could not have been more than ten years. She stumbled and slammed against a wall that was left behind, covered in moss and ivy. She coughed, wheezing with every breath taken.

“Hello? Anyone?” She softly tried to cry out, but her voice fell on deaf ears. She kept moving, finding the remnants of the Dormitory Block, so she entered it, bouncing off the door frame as she wandered inside, passing by the skeleton of the student who was on fire when it burned down. The entire building was scorched and rotting away.

She pushed off the wall and walked around the jammed door, it had been this way for a while. Burnt skeletal bodies littered the corridors, died in the fire when the Manticores attacked when they were sleeping, and old faded blood stained the walls. She limped through the massacre, stumbling over an unseen body and dropping into the smoky fog with a thud, crying out at the pain it caused her.

She rolled onto her back, wheezing and clutching her stomach. Then her eyes widened on the body. A broken skeleton ripped apart most likely from the Grimm, they probably died in so much pain in here.

Then she remembered… all the people who they lost.

For some reason, her mind lingered on Jaymes Ickford, after everything that happened he died trying to save her life. And that monster… Salem… ended him like he was nothing. Her eyes welled. Everything they did, everything they went through to help him, save him, all came down to nothing. Just a forgotten corpse in a long-forgotten mass grave. She shuffled away and stumbled to her feet, limping away as quickly as she could.

She drifted through the corridors, whispers rising in her head. She stopped to catch her breath and grit her teeth through the pain, propped on her hand against a doorway. Her emerald eyes opened and found the door ajar, slash marks down it's face. She gulped and slowly pushed it open with a creak. It took everything she had to open the door into the next room, more dorms ahead. It stopped just short of the blood-stained carpet, once white… now a dark brown from old blood, skeletons everywhere. She gasped and staggered back into the opposite dorm room door, tumbling through.

She fell onto the hard skeleton within the room, bones melted away, gagging and wailing, scrounging to her feet and shutting her eyes tight as she felt her way back into the hall.

"H-Hello?! Is anyone here?!" She screamed, hands in her red hair.

"Silence." The Brother of Darkness commanded, his voice felt like it vibrated through her mind.

She gasped at the voice, sharp tendrils scraping her mind. With a panicked whine she limped through the dormitory halls, then she stopped. She stopped, at the doorway to her Dorm. JNPR's Dorm.

She gulped thickly, tremors in her hand as it lifted to push the doorway open. The door slid across the carpet soundlessly, and her eyes fell on the scorched black curtains, once red but destroyed from the fire, blowing in the breeze as they hung from the missing back wall, rubble littering the small room. Cool air licked her skin as she stepped inside, looking at the splintered beds, heels crunching glass into the rug. The askew curtain pole hung from the remaining segment of outer wall, curtains whipping inwards, to and fro.

She looked at Ren and Nora's beds. She had no idea if they were alive or dead. Only that the last they spoke they felt betrayed.

And gave them to the Black Gallows.

Gods… no… we gave them directly to Salem… what have we done?

What have… I… done?

And Jaune?

Pyrrha gulped, memories of the slaughter rushing back, flash images of a statue, eclipsing the moon. The words "I'm sorry" from bloodied lips. An explosion. Her death. His death.

Tears dripped onto the carpet, the empty and broken Pyrrha unable to sob, she just felt drained, void of all emotion. She left their room for the last time, making her journey through the halls once more.

"He said he was gone..." Pyrrha said to nobody in particular.

"Soul taken, his battle fought and done..."

Pyrrha startled, slapping the side of her head, like swatting at a fly, trying to rid herself of the spot the voice resonated.

Her vision was blurry, a hazy mist reddened at the edges. Her limbs were heavy, aching, the dark lines of solved scars feeling like they were being peeled open by unseen fingers. Each limping step was agony, each clack of heel echoing around the silent ruins of Beacon. Grey daylight poured in through the shattered roof above, ceiling hanging down like flaps of rotting flesh on a bony carcass.

And despite the ghostly silence of this Graveyard… she heard Birdsong… life amongst all the death.

She felt like she spent days here at the ruins of Beacon, but she just felt like she could never leave this place, she had to see what happened.

As she limped her way through the deafeningly quiet food hall, through the dusty columns of light, that voice scraped it's way up her spine and throbbed in her head.

"Death is a release I have not granted you yet..."

The voice was dark and menacing, cold and empty. The Brother of Darkness who greeted her in the afterlife. It all rushed back. His agonising voice vibrated around her inner skull. Like having a migraine, his monologue made her painfully aware of the insides of her head.

"...I see in you something that my brother saw in Ozma. Such heroism, it made my blood seethe, but I understood it's necessity. Here lies why you walk these hallowed halls. Because I allowed it. Because death ultimately answers... to me."

“The hell… are you talking about?” She whimpered.

“All in due time, my child… all in due time.” The Brother of Darkness promised.

Pyrrha felt a pained whimper push passed her firmed lips, the tip of her boot catching on the bony ribs of a fellow student. She grunted and a tear rolled down her cheek, before she reached the huge double doors at the end of the cold dead hall. She pushed with a strangled cry of pain, and eventually they creaked open.

She shielded her throbbing eyes from the light of day, first feeling the cold pricks of rain peppering her itching skin.

"For every battle won, a greater battle takes it's place..."

A different, softer male voice spoke inside her head. It didn't hurt like Darkness' did. The silence around Beacon was horrific. The wind was silent, everything was silent. All she could hear were ghostly whispers behind the voice...

… they were the only company she had in this hellish grave.

"And so it goes, until we fall. And in the end, we all fall..."

Her eyes adjusted and she froze at the Grimm currently feet away, roaming around the courtyard unawares of her. It was like she was drawn right back to the Courtyard where she climbed her way out.

Then… it was like time was flickering back and forth, showing the flames that burned, she gasped as she saw it all, and the horror. Flesh tore under their teeth, fellow students and staff, gone to the Grimm. She heard their agonised screams as Grimm tore them open, gorging on their organs, smothering their black throats with their blood as they enjoyed their suffering.

They savoured their pain and dread… because they enjoyed it. She swallowed the vomit back, and slowly, timidly stepped forward. The Grimm ignored her completely, and time returned back to the present. Back in the Overgrown Beacon Academy… she realised these were memories, being granted to her by the Brother of Darkness, showing her the destruction of Beacon, and the deaths of everyone. The Grimm in the memories were feasting and killing people, but here in the Present? They ignored her. Like she wasn't there. The whispers returned behind the soft man's voice.

"...Even the God's have their time. Yet we still go on. Why?"

Pyrrha felt a horrendous pain shoot up her spine and she dropped to a knee, and the flames returned alongside the memories, right next to a feasting Ursa. It didn't even lift it's head to her cry.

"W-Why... aren't they-" she asked.

"I have blinded my beasts to your fear's scent. What would I stand to gain, from losing you to my creations? Come now."

Darkness' voice was so loud in her mind, so sharp and cold compared to the softer man's tones. She even covered her ears instinctively, as if that'd help.

"Keep moving. Leave this place."

“Why… why am I seeing all this? The fire… their deaths… why?” Pyrrha whimpered.

“Your Aura is bound to this place; it is where you fell. Even the rocks themselves hold memories; your aura is showing them to you.” Darkness answered. “The Grimm know something is wrong if you stay too long my spell will wain. The Grimm presence will try and lure you back so they can kill you like everyone else. Do not look back – keep moving.”

The once comfortable home of Beacon was now a terrifying haunted Mass Grave, and she just wanted to leave.

I don’t want to see what happened here… I don’t want to see them dying again…

Pyrrha slowly, wincing in pain, rose to her feet, moving through the ghostly, dream state Beacon. Smoke clambered in high black columns into the grey sky. She gingerly stepped forward and carried on her limping walk through hell's highway. Grimm littered the dead courtyard, smouldering ruins now just smoking rubble as rain doused the ashen land. Nevermore's circled overhead, deaf to their caws.

The smoke snapped away, and the overgrowth returned, there were Grimm here, always patrolling the land, yet even they could not see her, thanks to Darkness’ spell.

Eventually, limping by Beowulves and Ursae, she rounded to the end of the courtyard, and the obliterated statue that stared out at the school grounds. The same statue that...

Pyrrha stared emptily at the black ash that stained the cratered ground. Where Jaune had laid and detonated the school. Tears fell freely down her face, her cold and distant expression staring at the site he died. The whispers in her head picked up.

She fell to her knees, seeing the old, rusted remains of his destroyed Crocea Mors in the rubble, snapped after Salem broke it with her thumb. Pyrrha grasped the hilt, holding it close as she limped, not letting go of his weapon.

"...Be ready... to face horror... in the eye. As I have. To find your answers. Your quest. Your truth."

That softer voice spoke it's last lines, before ultimately fading away.

The softer voice… it was him… because whenever he spoke she felt like there was a warm presence over the side of her neck. She then looked ahead, seeing both their apparitions stood at the path out of Beacon Academy.

The Brother of Darkness on one side… and the Brother of Light on the other.

Light was similar to Death, featureless and humanoid in shape, however instead of Ram Horns, he had large splayed out Antlers sprouted from his head. And instead of glowing dark purple, he shone gold like the sun.

“Why are you here?” She whimpered.

“To guide you… our champion.” The Brother of Light assured.

Pyrrha sniffed, wiping her nose on her wrist, before turning to look at the crumbled path out of Beacon, and the hundreds of Grimm bumbling into the dead school grounds. Even after all these years the Grimm still patrolled the Academy, despite it being abandoned and overgrown. She simply paced down the steps and past them, like people on the street.

Stood amongst the ruins was a Praetorian Knight, constantly stood guard at the Academy for whatever reason. She looked up at the Praetorian Knight, stood with it's sword, blade tipped to the floor and handle held to it's chest. She walked round it's leg, and swore not to look back, until.

"P-Pyrrha?"

She stopped dead, the whispers all freezing and life returning to her ghostly, hazy vision. The Present Day vanished, and the fire raged around her alongside ethe smoke from dying flames after the explosion. She was fully alert and snapped her head to the voice.

It was a member of team ABRN. Nadir, Pyrrha believed his name was. His hair was dishevelled, his skin cut, and clothes torn, holding his stomach after a Grimm sliced him open. The Grimm turned sharply to his voice, The Praetorian Knight quickly raising it's sword and hissing at him in the memory.

H-How… how can he see me if this is a memory.

“Ignore him, the land is full of dark tricks and ghosts… do not believe what you see.”

Pyrrha looked on in horror as he stumbled out of the school, dragging his broken leg behind.

"I-It's you! Y-You lived!" He cried.

“He can see me! He’s real! I can help him!” She gasped, grasping the Snapped Blade of Crocea Mors tight.

"DO NOT STOP, DO NOT HELP HIM. TURN AND FLEE. IF YOU ACKNOWLEDGE HIM, IF YOU PERSIST TO SAVE HIM, THE GRIMM WILL CLAIM YOU! THEY ARE TRYING TO PULL YOU BACK AND KILL YOU ONCE AGAIN! AND I WILL NOT, CANNOT REVIVE YOU AGAIN! FORGET THE DEAD, THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO FOR THEM NOW!”

Pyrrha gripped her temples and cried, watching as the Praetorian Knight barrelled around the walls of the school, sword held aloft as Nadir cried out her name repeatedly. Delirious and stricken with grief, he was a Grimm's ideal meal.

"Fine. Save him. Die with him. Then the rest of the world will become Salem's, and all life as my brother and I intended will cease to exist, made null and void."

Pyrrha winced, and as Nadir outstretched for her, Grimm pouring out the school for him, she slowly turned and shut her eyes, collapsing into a ball and hugging her head against her knees. Nadir's eyes glazed in shock and horror, just as the Praetorian jumped overhead, rolling through the air and swinging it's sword round under itself, cutting Nadir in two. He dropped to the floor with a wet thud and his cries lasted mere seconds before the Beowulves tore him to shreds, with Pyrrha rocking mere feet away.

She screamed and cried to cover the tearing and crunching noises.

"Good girl. The choice to save everything, over one. I see I chose well, when I chose one, to save everything."

And then… the screaming, tearing and crunching vanished… replaced with gentle breeze and birdsong. She lifted her head from her bare knees, and saw the shattered bones where Nadir fell all those years ago, and the Grimm all wandered away with the same Praetorian Knight which cut him in two, continuing to patrol the Academy.

There was nothing she could do, even if she wanted to… it was just a hallucination… a memory from the school of how he died in so much pain.

She shook, and pushed herself back up to her feet, limping away.

Through the scars of the Inhumane Necessity.

Pyrrha had returned, but Remnant was a vastly different world than what she remembered.

This was a world – conquered by Salem.

 

 

Chapter 2: The Inhumane Necessity

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

Pyrrha had been reincarnated into a world that was both familiar and yet completely unfamiliar to her…

She returned to Vale, her feet had been cut from walking over so much rubble, her boots worn down from time and the damage she suffered from the explosion and the rubble which impaled her body six years ago. Everything seemed so different, she could see the Crop Fields of the Farmlands in the distance… and something was definitely wrong with them. There was a black fog in areas of them, farms completely different to ones she had ever seen, and there were bubbling pits of Grimm Tar. Farmland turned into entire stretches of Tar Fields for Grimm to spawn and prowl both the wild landscape…

… and the civilised land.

Pyrrha clutched onto what little remained of her shirt as she hobbled on bloodied feet, every step sent jolts of excessive pain into her body, leaving behind claret footprints on the warm tarmac beneath her. Grimm were here as well, yet thanks to the Brother of Darkness’ spell, they could not see her yet. But if she got spotted then it would not be able to protect her any longer, and the Grimm would know of her existence.

And consequently… so would Salem.

People looked different, they were still Human and Faunus, however there were some people that actually had some kind of Grimm Sickness in them. Skill had paled and there was a bit of red in their eyes. They coughed and struggled as they walked, however it did not seem contagious… or at least not in the normal sense. It was not lost on her that these people afflicted by this illness all looked like Farmers, or others who worked in hard labour. They shivered as they walked, and there were Homeless People who reached out, begging for money by the innocents.

Very few people seemed to speak to each other, like they just wanted to get what they came outside for and go home. However there were others, others who appeared to relish in this new world that Pyrrha was reborn into. Cheering Men and Women, Human and Faunus, drinking and partying. Black Gallows Soldiers could also be seen, patrolling the streets in more force than she had ever seen.

The Black Gallows had very clearly grown in numbers since she died, however she had no idea how many of them could be around now. Six years ago, they were simply a Black Ops Faction from the Atlesian Military, but now? Now it seemed like they were the Brutal Law Enforcers that patrolled every single city, town, village and even road of Remnant.

Pyrrha winced in pain as she looked at her cut open feet, thick red blood leaked from the gashes cut by sharp rubble and broken glass left behind from the Fall of Beacon. “Keep moving, find something to cover yourself with.” The Brother of Light advised with a calming voice.

“What has happened to the world? This is nothing like I remember… why are Grimm walking around like it is normal? Why aren’t they attacking these people?” Pyrrha softly muttered as she walked around.

“Remnant is Salem’s now. She has won, and your world is nothing but an old memory. These people who you see around you have become accustomed to this brutal world… you have not. Keep moving and find a disguise. The Spell will not work again if you are recognised and the Black Gallows learn of your resurrection.” The Brother of Darkness explained, his voice felt like sharp nails moving down the back of her neck.

It made her grow goosebumps whenever she heard him.

Pyrrha swiftly moved towards an alleyway, where she saw someone giggling and scratching his own face as he stumbled through the streets. He bumped into someone and started to scream as he tackled him down to the ground. “What the hell?” Pyrrha gasped.

“You are baring witness to the effects of the Scourge. A condition formed in both Humans and Faunus after spending too much time around the Tar Pits.” The Brother of Light answered.

“W-Why? What happens to them?” Pyrrha stammered.

“The Pools of Grimm act as… doorways… to my domain. The land of Death and Darkness, where all who are underserving of my Brother’s Light shall fall. It is believed that those who spend too much time around them begin to hear the screams of the damned trapped inside, hearing the sound of everlasting suffering. Tis not a sound for Mortal Minds to handle.” The Brother of Darkness answered.

“Can any mind… withstand that?” Pyrrha stammered with shock.

“We are… beyond… Mortal Weaknesses like madness.” The Brother of Darkness chuckled sinisterly as he watched her from the darkness, his hands held behind his back. Pyrrha turned her gaze to the light where she saw the glowing gold Apparition of the Brother of Light stood beside a Drying Line, where a brown and white dressing gown hung, alongside some slippers sat by the doorstep.

“Come… child… your body is frail… you need warmth.” He said, and Pyrrha weakly shambled towards him, and the Dark Brother chuckled in the darkness.

“There it is, Brother… caring for something small like a Mortal… but given the chance you would destroy her if it pleased you.” The Brother of Darkness spouted, Light glared at him.

“Surely you of all people shouldn’t judge someone for such actions after your atrocities.” Light retorted.

“I am a product of your negligence! Of your lack of understanding of how things must be! And you dare to judge me?” The Brother of Darkness barked as he stormed towards him.

“Yes I do judge you, for you are nothing more than a petulant child.” Light replied as Pyrrha carefully pulled the soft Dressing Gown from the line. But as she started to wrap it around her thin malnourished body, the pain in her feet became too much, and she collapsed to the ground with a soft cry of pain, clutching the bloodied pads.

The Brother of Darkness turned his head past Light, staring directly at Pyrrha as she walked straight through the Apparition of his Brother.

"Get up." He simply growled. Pyrrha stared up at him, her face void of any emotion, the glow to her green eyes dampened. She just laid there, tearful and not even looking at him anymore.

“Why? What’s the point… it’s all over…” Pyrrha sniffled with defeat.

“I said… Get… Up.” Darkness commanded once more. Pyrrha still remained on the floor, not looking at him as blood dripped from her toe. Darkness plumed into a purple cloud and a huge dragon's toothy head erupted from within the violet smog. "GET UP!" He bellowed in his dragon form. Pyrrha showed no shock, no horror. She simply rolled over and fumbled to her feet as the dragon lowered it's head and curled into the vanishing purple smoke.

She continued to wrap her nearly naked body up with the Gown, tightening it, and pushing her wounded feet into the slippers.

As she limped, Darkness appeared over her shoulder again. “Do not falter again.” He snarled.

“Will you just leave me alone? Just let me suffer in peace?” Pyrrha questioned.

"DO NOT MISTAKE YOUR RESURRECTION FOR KINDNESS! You are a tool to something greater, nothing more!" The Brother of Darkness barked, pointing his suddenly sharpened dark purple finger at her face, yet there was none for her to glare at… just a featureless skull.

"And you think I've never been in this position before?! I wasn't a champion fighter at the age of twelve for fun! You think Ozpin picked me to be the Fall Maiden because I thought it would be an enjoyable project?! I have always been a tool for someone else's gain! Now leave me alone." She spat. Darkness snarled loudly, deep in his throat.

"Keep. Moving." He growled, before disappearing. Pyrrha, eyes watering, scoffed.

"Grand idea." She tugged the Gown tighter around her frame, trying to keep walking, the slippers helped but they still hurt a lot.

But then…

"Hey, are you okay?" A grey-haired woman asked from the alleyway. "I heard you talking, sweetheart."

Pyrrha stared at the woman, shocked and embarrassed that she'd heard her, but before she answered, the Brother of Darkness spoke over her shoulder, his voice grating like chalk.

“Do not speak to her, you will compromise us.” Darkness commanded.

“Honey? Are you okay?” She asked.

"Ummm, I-” But as Pyrrha tried to walk, all that pain rushed right back up her leg, and she fell onto the ground.

“Oh goodness! Ma’am, hold on.” The woman worried as she approached her.

“Do not say a word. Do not go with her.” Darkness repeated.

"C'mon sugar, up you get." She smiled, helping Pyrrha up. "Let's get that old Gown of mine off-oh my lords above you're naked. Okayyy."

Pyrrha blushed and stared at her slippers, hugging the Gown tightly. Her green eyes scanned over the woman, and the red and yellow uniform she was wearing with a cartoon Ice cream sundae on the left breast pocket.

"Alright, come with me, I work in the diner, we'll take you to the break room and I'll pick out some clothes for you. It'll be from the lost and found box, but... better than nothing, right sugar?" She smiled. Pyrrha swallowed thickly, nodding.

"Yes. That sounds lovely. Thank you." Pyrrha went to follow her, until suddenly the woman collapsed, passing out on the grass, she gasped and went to help her, only for Darkness to block her path. “What did you do?” She gasped.

“There are Black Gallows soldiers in the Diner, no doubt she recognised you by your recognisable face. She was going to turn you in.” Darkness told her.

“You don’t know that! She could have just been a nice lady.” Pyrrha argued, but then Darkness stared directly at her as he leaned forward.

“Here is your first lesson, child – nobody helps a thief who was stealing their belongings unless it would be for their own gain.” Darkness assured as he glared at her. His words sent a chill down her spine as she stared at him. “Now… Keep… Moving. And do not attract any further attention.”

“Did you kill her?” She asked as she stared past him, looking at the body of the woman, she could not tell if she was breathing or not.

“What does that matter?” He questioned.

What does that matter?” Pyrrha gasped with disgust.

“Life is nothing more than an abnormality… why should I care about one mortal life when your entire existence is at risk?” He questioned with the shrug of his shoulders. Pyrrha walked straight through his Apparition, and she painfully knelt down and put her fingers on the lady’s neck…

… there was no pulse.

“You killed her… how could you do that?” Pyrrha snarled with anger as she faced the God, he just stared at her and shrugged his shoulders.

“She had a tumour in her brain, she was going to die anyway.” He answered tranquilly.

“You… monster.” Pyrrha hissed.

“I have been called many things… that was one of those words. One life is meaningless in comparison to the extinction of everything.” Darkness commanded, she turned and saw Light stood nearby but he did not say a word.

“What about you? Anything to say?” She questioned but Light said nothing as his head was bowed.

“If you expect anything contrary to me then you are mistaken… I at the very least can be trusted to stick a knife in you… but he would smile… and drive it into your back when you least expect it. Now – for the last time. Keep. Moving.” He commanded with a dark gravelly voice.

Pyrrha looked back at the lady, she choked up as she started to walk away. She slowly walked out into the street and kept her head down as she moved, not letting anyone see past her hood, just in case if they ratted her out to the Black Gallows presence in Vale. So many things looked similar, yet different at the exact same time. Most of the buildings looked the same, but others were forged from some type of glowing purple crystal – she did not know it, but it was the same crystal that was scattered across Salem’s Sanctum.

A Nevermore swooped overhead, screeching and roaring as its shadow cast upon the ground. Blocking out the sun with its massive black wings. Pyrrha shuddered as the Grimm and Black Gallows soldiers passed by her as she walked.

“These Men and Women have been charged with execution for breaking the laws placed by Queen Salem!” She heard a man yelling, she turned her gaze and she approached, and her eyes widened to what she saw.

There were two men and a woman stood with their hands and legs bound with rope, and they had nooses wrapped around their throats. Black Gallows Raven Talons and an Onyx Consul stood atop the Gallows itself, guarding another prisoner who was on his knees. Right next to the Gallows was a pit, where she could hear savage growling Grimm inside, foaming at the mouth. Pyrrha stood with the crowd she watched as the man read out their crimes.

“These three men and women are charged for stealing food from the Markets, what say you in your defence?” The Spokesman asked as he lowered the Data Pad.

“We were starving! The Schnee Dust Company got rid of us because my husband contracted Noctis Putrida! It was unjust what Arthur Watts did to us!” The Human Woman argued, that was the first thing that Pyrrha noticed. There was not a single Faunus up there, yet they worked for the Schnee Dust Company. It was sadly quite expected for the Company to do this to their Faunus Workers, but to Humans? This was different.

“Unjust? The Schnee Dust Company had been unjust to their Faunus People for decades before Salem showed up. Tell me, are there any Faunus here who were once enslaved to Jacques Schnee?” The Spokesman called out.

Ten people raised their hands. “And how have your lives been since Salem took charge after the Huntsmen and Huntresses betrayed the U.G.R to try and take over?” The man asked, Pyrrha’s eyes widened when she heard that.

That is not what happened… what have they done?

“My family have not lived this comfortably in years!” A man yelled.

“I can actually lay food on the table for my children for once!” A woman also called out.

“Queen Salem freed us!” Another man yelled, then the entire crowd started to cheer for the monster who butchered Pyrrha’s friends. She started to seethe with anger at how devoted these people had become to the woman who was responsible for the deaths of thousands. The Spokesman smirked and turned to the people in nooses.

“You see? Now you understand what it was like for the Faunus to suffer.” The man said to them.

“No! We fought for you! We tried to get Jacques removed for years! You can’t do this to us!” A man desperately yelled.

“That was then… but now? Stealing food from people just trying to get by?” The Spokesman scoffed.

“We were starving! We have nothing left!” The other man answered, and the Spokesman pouted.

“Aww… poor thief… want me to cry for you?” The Spokesman asked curiously. The woman gritted her teeth with anger, then she spat at him.

“Fuck you, you piece of shit!” The Woman yelled, and he chuckled.

“Well… they have some fight in them after all, don’t they?” He asked them. “What shall we do with them?”

“HANG THEM!” They all started to yell with anger, all repeating the same two words over and over. Pyrrha desperately wanted to scream spare them but Darkness could read her thoughts, and she saw him stood amongst the crowd, staring directly at her with his hands held together, shaking his head silently.

“Well, I think we have the answer!” The Spokesman laughed as he turned back to the fugitives. “Any last words, thieves?”

“Plea-”

The Spokesman bumped his leg into the lever, causing it to slam down and the floor beneath them opened, and their necks snapped as the noose tightened around their throats. However they did not die immediately, they dangled, suffocating and gasping for air as they writhed, faces turning blue, eyes wide. Until their lives ended, the ropes creaked as they swung back and forth.

The Spokesman grimaced. “Whoops… looks like I slipped.” He sadistically joked, making the crowd laugh. Pyrrha clenched her hand into a fist, listening to all these people laughing at the deaths of the three people.

This new world? It was sick and cruel…

He then turned to the chained man down on his knees with soldiers beside him. “Ah… and you… we have something special for what you did.” He growled, forcing the man up to his feet. “Do you all know who this scumbag is?”

“P-Please… I…” He stammered.

“Jonathan Dudley. Wanted for the Rape and Murder or Mary Ashford. You showed her no mercy, did you? You pathetic disgusting scoundrel?” The Spokesman snarled, and Pyrrha stared at the man. Someone who, unlike those thieves, really was a bad man. He should have been the one with the noose around his neck – but as she was about to see – the thieves got the easy way out.

“Please… I…”

“Huh? You what? You didn’t mean to? Tell that to Mary Ashford, pal. No… no you aren’t getting hanged. We have something special for you.” He said, gently pushing the criminal towards the Grimm Pit, where they were foaming at the mouth. There were Beowulves inside, mangy fur and thick foamy saliva pouring from their jaws.

“No… please no! Anything but the Pit!” He begged.

“You know how it works, it was noticeably clear in the Laws and Punishments granted by Salem. Lower crimes like Thievery are met with hanging, Huntsmen and Huntresses who survived the Inhumane Necessity are swiftly Beheaded, and people like you? Murderers, torturers, rapists, paedophiles – you know, the lowest of the low? Well… you don’t deserve a quick end… you deserve to suffer.” He said as he stared at the man.

“Come on man… you don’t wanna do this.” He begged him.

“Tell me… did you know that Beowulves actually prefer to eat their prey when they are still alive? They like to make them suffer, the fear and the pain? It makes the meat taste better… at least that’s what the eggheads say.” The Spokesman shrugged his shoulders, then leaned into his ear. “So how long do you think they will make you suffer for?” He asked.

“I’m begging you…” He whimpered.

“I bet Mary did… when you did what you did. Did you show her mercy? You just said I didn’t wanna do this – the truth is? I really do.” He answered, shoving him into the pit, and the entire crowd cheered, but over it all – she could hear his screams. She could not see it through the walls, but she heard the agony and terror inside of the pit as the Beowulves ripped him to pieces. Blood splattered against the walls, and he screamed for roughly two and a half minutes, Pyrrha blocked most of it out, but eventually he died. And the Beowulves gorged on what remained of him.

“Would you look at that? He lasted longer than I expected… those boys look well fed!” The Spokesman laughed as he clapped his hands with the crowd. Pyrrha walked away, feeling sick to her stomach. She felt no pity for the man who died, what made her feel that way was what the world had turned into.

“Welcome to the New World, Miss Nikos.” The Brother of Darkness said.

“This… this is not what we wanted…” Pyrrha stammered as she walked through the streets in a panic. “This isn’t what he would have wanted.”

He is dead. Dead and forgotten.” Darkness told her.

“Shut the hell up! He isn’t forgotten.” She growled.

“Really? You think that? Come… follow me.” He said, Pyrrha turned and she saw the Brother of Darkness stood on the path. She watched as he walked down the path where leaves fell upon it and Pigeons pecked and bits of bread thrown. She found herself in a beautiful garden in the City, she remembered this place – however it had been renamed since she died.

Once known as The King’s Garden – it was now known as the Memorial Grove.

She walked out and she gasped at what she saw, and the Brother of Darkness was beside them. There were large Marble Plaques built, with names listed across them all. All the names of the men and woman… and children… who died during the Inhumane Necessity. Even a statue built to commemorate them, a statue of a Huntsman and a Huntress together with their weapons held high.

But something was wrong – they were completely overgrown and abandoned. The statue had graffiti sprayed on it, and some of the marble plaques had been smashed with sledgehammers, and the rest where smothered in Hateful Graffiti. “What… why is it like this?” She gasped.

“Salem had these built in every Kingdom – to remember all the lives lost. To pay her respects to their families, however we believe there was an ulterior motive. To give the enraged a target to spew their anger at the new change.” Darkness explained.

“What? Why target us? The Victims?” Pyrrha questioned.

“You are not victims in their eyes.” Light chimed in. “Salem built this out of honour, using the idea that even their enemies deserved to have graves so their families could mourn them, despite their sins. But… Salem and her Minions worked hard to make the slaughter of the Unified Governments of Remnant appear to be by your hands.” Light explained.

Pyrrha closed her eyes, remembering what Salem said on that Terrible Night.

“Your time is over. All your Academies are aflame or soon will be. And the world is cheering for it, thanks to my friend’s preparations.”

The footage… Watts had altered it to the point where nobody could even tell it had been doctored, where instead of the Children of Salem and Black Gallows murdering the Councillors and all the other workers in the Foundations of Sovereignty, it was replaced… with their faces.

The Hunters and the Rogues together, all of them… slaughtering them. Weiss killing Jacques Schnee, Ruby shooting Vance Ackerman in the head. The footage… it was more than enough for people to believe the Huntsmen and Huntresses wanted to overthrow. And it was more than likely not the only proof fabricated by Watts since everyone seemed to be so inclined to believe the lie.

And the evidence of their willingness to follow the lie was present here…

Liars

Murderers

Traitors

Monsters

They deserved what they got

And many other terrible words and phrases had been sprayed in pain. The flowers left behind had decayed long ago, nobody had been here in an exceptionally long time, and only vegetation had claimed this land. Vines wrapped around the statues.

Pyrrha stared at the names, and she gently pressed her hand against it.

Jaune Arc

She squeezed her eyes closed, tears streaming down them. Then Darkness stood beside her. “Is… is it like this everywhere? Did anyone else survive?” She desperately asked.

“Would you like to see?” He asked her, he held his hand out to her. She looked at it, and then took a deep breath… and placed it where his was.

And she saw it…

… the Inhumane Necessity.

 

The Inhumane Necessity

 

It showed Watts aboard the Gyrfalcon on their way to Beacon with Killian kitted back up, and the rest of the Children of Salem aboard, flying over the massive Army of Grimm headed directly to Vale with Salem at the front of it.

He brought up his scroll, contacting every single Black Gallows Commander across Remnant, stationed at all the Academies, and Combat Schools. Alongside all contacts of Huntsmen and Huntresses out on mission.

Killian stood up to face them with Watts stood out of shot, since it would be better coming from their leader.

“Commanders – the wait is up. Initiate the Inhumane Necessity.” Killian commanded, delivering the Command Codes. All the General’s on their Holographic Displays nodded their heads.

“It will be done, Dark Eclipse.” The Commanders assured, identifying Killian by his Codename known only to the Black Gallows.

Watts closed his Scroll and he smirked as he looked at Tyrian. He giggled maniacally as he looked at the Doctor. “Let the games begin!”

All across Remnant, the Kill Order was given.

Students at Haven Academy walked towards their Dorm Rooms when the Raven Talons suddenly drew their Rifles on them and opened fire on them. Screams erupted as the bullets shredded through their unprepared bodies, killing them before they could even lift their auras. But even those who did lift their Auras had no chance, from the overwhelming numbers – and Grimm that were allowed inside thanks to inside men and women who lifted the lockdowns. Swarms of Grimm poured in, ripping the students apart.

At Beacon, when the Attack was happening, the Grimm burst through the windows at the Cafeteria on the unsuspecting Teens and Students. They jumped across tables and tackled the kids to the ground, alongside Black Gallows soldiers, pinning them to the ground and firing their guns into the back of their heads. Nevermores flew through the sky and grabbed them, carrying them off to be ripped apart by their talons.

Even at Atlas Academy, the same thing was happening there as well.

Students fled for their lives as the Black Gallows unleashed their weapons of destruction upon them, using their Airships to block off their escapes, gunning them down. Team F.N.K.I battled together against the soldiers, but their fired their Electrical Cables and wrapped them around their bodies, breaking their auras.

“Please! Stop!” Flynt begged, until one of the soldiers drew his gun and shot him in the head, knocking his hat off.

“FLYNT!” Neon screamed, only to face the same fate, alongside Kobalt and Ivory. Atlas’ Tower was aflame as the soldiers killed absolutely everyone, destroying the Dorms and the memories of James Ironwood.

The same thing happened at Shade, as the Grimm and Black Gallows invaded Shade Academy, massacring everyone inside. Nebula fired her Crossbow and the arrow hit a Beowulf straight through the eye as she tried to fall back with Dew as Octavia and Gwen were dragged towards the Grimm by a Nuckelavee, screaming desperately. But as the two of them turned, they saw the Black Gallows behind them, firing all their guns repeatedly until they were dead.

Dew tried to block and deflect the bullets, but she could not stop them all, and Nebula got hit in the shoulder before impaled by a Deathstalker and pulled into the Grimm Horde. Nobody made it out of Shade, and the same could be said for every other Academy.

In Haven, inside of his Academy Lionheart stood as he watched the Grimm and Black Gallows invade, he looked around and he placed his hands behind his head, hoping they would spare him. Only for him to be dragged out and executed just like all the rest. At Shade, Theodore battled against every single Grimm and Black Gallows soldier until the very end, but even he fell as well.

Not even the Huntsmen and Huntresses out in the world were safe either.

A Winged Huntsman flew through the sky as Black Gallows Wasps suddenly caught up with him and shot him out of the sky, sending his burning corpse crashing down into the rocks below. Another Huntress turned her back and was unable to defend herself as the Black Gallows gunned her down, and another roared through the Mistraalian Countryside, only to be hit by a huge Armoured Truck from her left, killing her instantly, sending her body hurtling across the road.

And the same happened… at the Combat Schools…

At Argus, Saphron was stood up with Adrien cooing as he watched her, confused at her stress as the news came in. Listing all the names from the Inhumane Necessity. “Please… please don’t let it be you…” She sobbed, and then…

Pyrrha Nikos

Jaune Arc

Sun Wukong

Neptune Vasillias

The names continued, but when she saw Jaune’s name, Saphron felt her heart break and she shook. “No!” She sobbed, loud as she collapsed to her knees, screaming into the floor as she felt the anguish rush through her like a storm. Her distress caused Adrien to cry as well as he reached out for his mother in his cot.

Moments earlier, Terra left to investigate Sanctum, which was aflame, smoke rising high into the sky. She roared across the road towards it on her motorcycle and she swiftly approached the Black Gallows checkpoint. She took off her helmet as she approached. “The hell is happening here?” She questioned.

“Ma’am, you need to get out of here. The Huntsmen and Huntresses massacred the Council, their last order was to eradicate them all to stop them from taking command of the Government.” The Soldier explained.

“W-What? No that doesn’t make any sense, then why I are Grimm in there?” She questioned.

“Don’t worry, Ma’am, the situation is under control.” The Soldier assured.

“Look, I’m a Detective, alright? I’m good friends with the Chief of Police here, he has given me permission to investigate this. Just look at this.” She said as she showed her badge and the Warrant to enter the Academy.

“Negative, it’s too dangerous.” The Soldier said.

“I can handle myself.” She assured, but then all the Raven Talons drew their guns on her, staring her down.

“I’m sorry, Ma’am, but it’s time for you to leave.” The soldier sternly commanded, finger on the trigger.

Terra glared at them… and she clenched her hand into a fist. There was nothing she could do, she just stared at the school, feeling a cold chill as she heard the screams inside. “There are children in there…”

The soldiers did not budge. She closed her eyes and had no choice but to turn and walk away, she then felt her Scroll vibrate and she pulled it out and saw the name.

Nathan

She tightened her grip on the scroll to the point that the screen cracked, knowing that Killian had something to do with this in her bones. She then threw her scroll on the ground and stormed off, angrier than she had ever felt towards the man she once called her brother.

“Killian… what have you done?”

 

Pyrrha

 

She fell to her knees, her eyes wide after what Darkness had just shown her after the past six years.

The slaughter…

… she knew for certain now. “It’s all gone… it really is all gone… isn’t it?” She gasped.

“It does not have to stay that way, Pyrrha.” Light promised her. “If we defeat Salem then maybe this dark era can come to an end… and something better can come afterwards.” She lifted her head and stared at the Shining God.

“How?” She questioned, and the Brother of Darkness looked down at her.

“We must find the Relic of Creation and the Relic of Knowledge – and keep them out of Salem’s Hands.” Darkness answered. “Destruction and Choice are already in her grasp, alongside the powers from the Summer and Spring Maidens, only Fall and Winter remain.”

“Why? Why is this so important to you? You already have admitted you don’t care one wit about us. Why do this?” She questioned, and Darkness chuckled.

“You’re right, I care not for your existence. I am the Creator of the Grimm after all. However there is a balance to all existence… Salem disrupted that Balance. It must be repaired.” Darkness explained.

“How am I supposed to do that?” She questioned… but neither answered… they just disappeared. “How?” She asked again as she looked for them, but neither gave her an answer. “ANSWER ME!” She screamed out, her voice echoing amongst the rustling trees. She then punched the floor with rage, before standing back up on her pained feet. She growled with annoyance at them, they could sometimes be so clear cut with what they were talking about, and then ten seconds later they would go back to cryptic or completely vanish off the face of Remnant once more.

She limped back towards Vale, leaving behind the Forgotten Memorial Grove, and she just started to wander, hoping to find something to eat, and she passed by the Gallows when she noticed a commotion, and someone was forced to their knees – by the Guillotine.

She had not forgotten – only Huntsmen and Huntresses died by the Guillotine.

She watched as the man writhed desperately, she did not recognise him, but the men and women watching spat and threw rocks at him. “Traitor! Murderers! Tried to control us! Burn in hell!” They yelled over and over, until the Spokesman returned.

“As you can plainly see – this was a student who survived the Cleansing at Beacon Academy.” He grabbed the back of his head, lifting his face. He had been beaten and tortured, covered in blood as he had his head fitted under the massive blade. “His kind are a blight, one from a world long past. It is said that diseases can linger, return after many years… but if we cut or burn it out? Then none of us will suffer their hellish ways ever again.” He said, and immediately pulled the lever, dropping the Guillotine down onto his neck.

Blood sprayed, and his skull dropped into the sack. One of the men grabbed it and laughed, kicking it across the floor. Pyrrha felt sick to her stomach as she looked away, his body slumping from the Execution Device. But as she limped, she bumped into someone, so hard it nearly knocked her hood down. The man did a double take at her, staring at Pyrrha as she pulled the hood back up and started to walk away. “Hey! I swear I recognise your face.” He said as he followed her.

“U-Um… no sorry, just a traveller. I doubt you know me.” She stammered.

“No, I definitely remember your face. Your pretty mug was all over the place, I worked in the Supermarkets six years ago.” He said, he grabbed Pyrrha by the shoulder and turned her around, but she suddenly pushed the Snapped Crocea Mors upwards, pressing the snapped point against his throat.

“Don’t you say a goddamn word.” She threatened, he stared at her and gasped.

“What the hell? How can you possibly be alive?” He stammered with disbelief. “You’re her…”

“No I’m not, I’m nobody. Don’t say a word or I will kill you.” She warned.

“Paul? Are you okay?” A woman asked as she approached.

“IT’S PYRRHA NIKOS!” He screamed, Pyrrha felt a dark force come over her, and she pushed the blade straight into his throat, killing him, spilling blood over her hand. His body collapsed and she stared at the Spokesman who stared at her. The Black Gallows Soldiers all slowly raised their rifles in her direction.

“Run…” The Brother of Darkness said, and a Nevermore landed atop one of the buildings, roaring at her with its huge wings splayed out. “RUN!” Darkness bellowed, and the soldiers opened fire on her.

Pyrrha quickly sheathed Crocea Mors and she ran as fast as she could, it was hard with her hurt feet but luckily her regenerating aura had healed her feet just enough for her to be able to run for a while.

“STOP HER!” The Spokesman bellowed, but Pyrrha barged through the crowd as the Black Gallows chased after her, and one of the soldiers fired his machine gun up in the air, breaking the crowd. They opened fire on Pyrrha when their line of sight was cleared, so the Spartan threw herself through a window, shattering it. She tumbled across the floor, and a couple screamed, covering their naked bodies with the bedsheet.

“Sorry!” She apologised before she ran through the doors, and opened the other window, jumping down into the garden outside. She kept running but that massive Nevermore was circling the sky. It was so strange, the Nevermore was not attacking yet, like it did not actually want to risk harming the innocents, but it was always following her.

She looked over her shoulder as she ran, seeing the Black Gallows still chasing her, breaking down doors. She kept running, coming out onto a road, and a huge Black Gallows Armoured Personnel Carrier suddenly drifted and blocked one way off, causing Pyrrha to charge through a weak wooden fence, breaking it apart around her as she ran. She held her hand out and used her Polarity to bring down the guttering, creating a small blockage to slow the soldiers down.

“Watch your left!” Light warned.

“Can’t you guys help?” Pyrrha begged.

“Our power here is miniscule!” Darkness responded.

“Oh of course it is!” She argued as she ran. Pyrrha jumped and climbed up the side of a building, feeling the slippers falling off, but she kept on moving, her aura could actually protect her feet for now. She sprinted across the rooftops and the Black Gallows caught up with her. But then she looked up as the Nevermore screeched as it flew directly towards her, talons and beak open.

Pyrrha dropped down, sliding underneath the monster, and then sliding down the sloped roof. “AAAAHHH!” Pyrrha screamed, grabbing onto one of the metal gutters to stop herself from falling to her death. It broke and swung her down onto a Metal Catwalk, she ran across it and smashed through another window, running past a kid playing on his game console. “Sorry!” She apologised as she kept on running.

She ran down the stairs, but the Black Gallows busted the front door open. Pyrrha stopped and held out her hand, yanking the saucepan from the Mother’s hand. “WHAT THE FUCK?” The Mother screamed as Pyrrha used her Polarity to throw the Saucepan of nice food into the soldiers.

“I’m so sorry, that looked really nice!” Pyrrha called to the mother, then holding out her hand to try and throw the soldiers back, but the Polarity had no affect on their armour anymore. Non-Ferrous metals, damn it! They had learned since she was last alive. Pyrrha turned and she ran to the back door and smashed her shoulder against it, breaking the lock as she fled. The Black Gallows were right behind her as she kept running, she looked back and used her polarity on the chains of a swing, throwing it in front of the soldiers, tripping one of them over.

She ran out into the road, narrowly missing a car, and she looked ahead, spotting there was a way out…

… the Emerald Forest.

“I’ll take any escape I can get!” Pyrrha said to herself as she sprinted as fast as she could. Pyrrha looked ahead as the Nevermore landed atop the steeple of a Church, it roared down at her as she ran. She pulled a Drainage Lid from the road, and held it like she would hold Akoúo, and she launched it up towards the Nevermore, it smashed into its head and the huge Bird crashed down into the road. It was not dead, just dazed, and Pyrrha used that chance to get ahead. Cars beeped as the Nevermore got back up, and the angry Grimm roared at the stupid impatient drivers who swiftly hid back inside of their cars.

Pyrrha jumped and climbed over the fence into the Emerald Forest, running into the trees, but both the Nevermore and the Black Gallows were still chasing after her. She sprinted for a while through the trees, dodging the bullets which whistled through the air, cracking through trees as they narrowly missed her. The Nevermore flew through the sky above, casting a huge black shadow over the forest as she fled.

Pyrrha covered her face as Splinters of Wood flew her way from damaged trees as the Black Gallows continued to pursue her.

She stopped, wide eyed, because she found herself at an impasse – where the Bridge had been destroyed years ago, most likely from a storm. There was a huge, raging river, with a current too powerful for her to control.

But she had no other options.

The Black Gallows were closing in, drawing their Aura Breaking Cables, spinning them like Bolas as they approached. “No choice! Screw it!” Pyrrha yelped, jumping into the water, getting dragged into the water. The soldiers stopped at the river’s edge, firing their guns at her as she started to drift away from them.

“Damn it! We need to report this to Killian! You three, continue to track her!” The Captain ordered.

“Roger that!” The soldiers nodded, following the river.

Pyrrha struggled in the water, she was a good swimmer but even the best swimmers could not fight this current. She desperately gasped for air as she struggled, hearing the roars of the Nevermore echoing across the Valley, until suddenly…

… the stump of a broken tree smacked into her face.

Knocking her unconscious.

 

 

Chapter 3: The Storm

Chapter Text

Six Years Ago…

 

Embers flew through the dark air of the Emerald Forest, distant howls of Grimm and screaming students echoed through the trees…

Weiss ran as fast as she could with Blake’s arm over her shoulder, blood pouring from her slit eyes as she whimpered from how much it hurt. But they were not alone, sprinting alongside them was Coco, firing Gianduja behind her. She had blood splattered across the side of her cheek and cut up in places, no signs of Velvet or Fox were there. Weiss kept running, seeing some of the trees were aflame from the superheated embers that stuck to them.

She slammed her shoulder into one of the smouldering trees, the charred bark shattered and crumbled with cinders floating away from them. But she kept running, keeping her eyes forward. But every now and then, she would look back, seeing the massive pack of Grimm chasing after them. “Keep going! Don’t stop!” Coco called out, she stood her ground and gritted her teeth as she fired Gianduja relentlessly.

“Coco!” Weiss screamed.

“Go! Get Blake out of here!” Coco commanded with a defiant roar, firing all cylinders at the Grimm, shredding their bodies as they got closer and closer. A Quill suddenly shot towards her, she took cover, narrowly missing it. She let her broken sunglasses fall, letting out a shaky breath, closing her eyes. Then she gritted her teeth with fury as she heard the rustling grow louder and louder. She spun back around as an Alpha Beowulf leapt towards her.

The last thing they heard of Coco was endless gunfire, disappearing into the howling winds. “Coco…” Blake shuddered.

“We have to keep going… come on…” Weiss stammered, they kept stumbling through the dark woods together. Weiss looked back, the Grimm were no longer following them, but there was still that feeling on them. Then… lightning flashed… the sudden clap of thunder caused Blake to jolt, with her hearing becoming more and more acute now that her sight was gone, thunder was suddenly a lot louder for her. The rain fell harder and harder and made the air colder and colder. Blake winced in pain as the rainwater fell into her open wound, she tried to not make a sound, but it was agonizing. Weiss sheltered her head as they kept moving. “There’s… gotta b-be some she-shelter ne-near-by…” Her teeth chattered from the cold, the rainwater quickly began to drench their hair and clothes as they walked.

Weiss and Blake kept moving further into the Emerald Forest together, still hearing the terrifying roars of thousands of Grimm nearby. “What do we do?” Blake whispered with fear in her voice.

“We just… need to find… shelter.” Weiss stammered, she was exhausted, they both were.

Weiss turned the corner and gasped, pulling Blake behind the tree with her… but Weiss completely forgot what it was that she saw.

Her eyes widened at that fact…

“Abductor…” She gasped.

It was the same one that had been hunting them on their journey, she could tell. For some reason, the other Abductors they saw taking people at Beacon did not share the same feeling this one had. She felt recognition from the little echoes of memory she had of the monster. This was definitely the exact same Abductor that had been stalking them. She could faintly hear its dark croaky voice as it floated through the Emerald Forest, searching for them. It blasted powerful bolts of red lightning from its bony white skeletal hands, shattering some of the trees as it investigated.

“Try not to make a sound.” Weiss whispered to Blake, they both covered their mouths and noses to stay as silent as they could. They knew this thing was dangerous and would either kill or kidnap them at a second’s notice. Weiss peered around the tree to stare at where she last felt like she saw it, and there it was. Floating alone.

She could actually see it – and it was terrifying.

It was humanoid looking but lacked any legs, with shredded robes dangling from where its legs should be. Instead there was just this black smoke beneath it. It had long bony arms with razor sharp claw-like fingers, and an open ribcage with swirling black blood trapped in the bones. The hide was like a cloak wrapped around its skeletal body, forming a hood over where the face should be, where they could only see the jaws that stuck out, with white teeth inside. No eyes to be seen, but it was clear that it did not need them, because its hearing was so acute that it could see everything.

It floated past the trees, creating that horrible grating croaky snarl it constantly made as it searched for them, opening the bushes and blowing entire trees apart. The trees collapsed and the Abductor shot of the way, suddenly moving extremely fast as the large tree collapsed. It’s body shuddered as it moved, creating cracking sounds in its bones. Weiss kept her eyes on the creature whilst Blake tried to not make sound, but the pain in her eyes was becoming more and more unbearable as the cold rainwater continued to crash against the open wound.

Then…

… a small whimper emerged from Blake.

Weiss’ eyes widened when the Abductor suddenly stared directly at them, with a flash of lightning following and thunder clapping. The Abductor blew the tree apart, knocking the two of them down to the ground with a heavy thud. Weiss held Blake close, pointing Myrtenaster at the monster as it floated towards them, staring directly at them as it passed through the smoke.

It reached out slowly towards their faces with a dark and disturbing snarl, sharp claws opening. Weiss trembled as she held Blake close, she did not have enough aura or strength to take that thing down.

An Axe swung diagonally, cutting clean through the torso of the Abductor, the body shattered and crumbled into dust right in front of their eyes. And as the smoke cleared, Cinder Fall walked through the smoke with her Obsidian Axe firmly held in her grasp. She approached them; Weiss stared at her with utter disbelief at who their saviour was.

“We don’t have much time. C’mon, let’s go.” Cinder said.

 

Cinder

 

Moments prior…

Cinder was working on the fence still, even at night. She hammered the post into the ground and continued to lift up the planks to connect them together. She shook the fence and made sure that it was sturdy, before moving onto the next. Cinder’s drive was always something that her allies admired, she just continued to do everything she ever set her mind onto. From fence post to post, she kept on building the place up.

She wiped the sweat from her brow, looking up at the sky as the Shattered Moon looked over her. She stared at it and softly exhaled through her nose, feeling the cool air against her cheek. “Do you ever just take the chance to relax?” Vernal asked her curiously as she approached Cinder, still recovering from her injuries after the Fall of the Branwen Tribe. The lights in the Farmhouse were on, and Cinder could see Oscar inside, helping Amber with some bits of homework that she had in her backpack.

Raven always made sure she had some kind of education, and Cinder wanted to continue that for her. Cinder sighed, resting her hammer against the top of the post she just hammered in. “I can’t relax until I know this place is secure.” She said.

“It is secure.” Vernal said.

“Not until this fence is done. The Grimm are out there, and worse than Grimm… people are out there, I know a Fence would hardly stop them but… I dunno… I guess it just would make me feel a bit better.” Cinder said as she continued.

“Okay… why don’t you take a break for a second? I can help.” Vernal said as she walked over.

“No, you need to recover.” Cinder said.

“Seriously? You got beat up too, got hit by a Missile. The only one of us who isn’t hurting right now is Amber. But… she is seven.” Vernal chuckled.

“Yeah, I guess it would be setting a bad example if a bunch of strong Hunters asked a Seven-Year-Old to do all the heavy lifting. Hell… she kinda has been though…” Cinder said. “That kid has a drive that seriously amazes me. No matter what… she still smiles and smiles.”

“We’ll give her a good life. Now move out of the way for a second and lemme help.” Vernal said, Cinder coughed and stepped aside.

“Alright, alright.” Cinder agreed as she held her hands up in submission. She leant against the fence she set up and watched as Vernal lifted up one of the fence posts and hammered it in. Cinder looked around at the dark woods that surrounded them, and the small lake that was behind the Farmhouse, where some ducks and geese landed in the water. Koi Fish swam around the lake together, eating the flies that landed on the surface of the water.

It was so peaceful here.

Until they heard a very loud and distant explosion. A golden glow bled through the darkness of the trees in one direction, Cinder’s eye widened with shock when she saw that. Vernal froze as she went to hammer the Post in some more. Oscar and Amber ran outside when they heard the massive explosion. “The hell was that?” Oscar called out.

“I don’t know.” Cinder replied. “Oscar, take Amber back inside. Vee, go with them.” Cinder commanded.

“What are you gonna do?” Vernal questioned.

“Gonna go see what the hell that was.” She answered, her eyes ignited, and Cinder flew off into the sky, and she flew over the trees, headed towards the edge of the cliff which looked over the Emerald Forest. She landed down on the rocks, and her Amber Eye widened with disbelief. She saw the huge fiery explosions erupting from Beacon Academy, and the sight of Beacon Tower collapsing down to the ground in the distance.

And the huge dark imperfection that surrounded the Academy and seemed to have flooded inside of it. “Salem…” She softly snarled.

She really did it…

She stood there for a while, watching the destruction and the Grimm swarming into the School… but then she saw the birds flying from the trees. And heard the sound of deadly gunfire erupting from the Emerald Forest, and roaring Grimm. Cinder immediately formed her Obsidian Axe and went to investigate.

That was when she found Weiss and Blake and the Abductor that was hunting them, and when she saved them from it.

Cinder carried Blake in her arms whilst Weiss trailed behind, she looked at Blake’s cut open eyes with shock. “The hell happened to her?” Cinder questioned Weiss as they rushed through the woods together.

“Adam Taurus…” Weiss answered, but that was enough of an answer for Cinder to understand what he did.

“Sick bastard…” Cinder hissed.

“You knew him?” Weiss asked.

“Yeah… I knew him.” She responded. “Come on, keep up. That Abductor saw you, that means Salem knows you’re alive.” Cinder explained.

“Why are you helping us?” Weiss asked with confusion.

“I dunno yet.” Cinder answered, they kept moving through the trees, and eventually they managed to reach the fence of her home. “VEE! OSCAR!” Cinder yelled, the door burst open and they saw them emerging with Blake in Cinder’s arms and Weiss staggering behind her. Weiss was limping on her injured leg and holding her side from the cuts she suffered.

“The hell is going on?” Oscar questioned with wide eyes.

“Get the First Aid Kit… the girl is dying.” Cinder commanded; Blake was barely clinging to life right now from how bad her wound was getting.

“B-But…”

“NOW!” Cinder roared, her eyes igniting in the process. Vernal cleared the way and Cinder carried her towards the table. “Amber, sweetie, go upstairs. You don’t wanna see this.” Cinder told her.

“Who are they?” Amber softly asked.

“Amber! Please… just go upstairs and play with your things for a while, okay? And don’t come downstairs… even if you hear screaming, okay?” She asked.

“Why would there be screaming?” She asked with a worried voice, Cinder was purposefully standing in front of her line of sight so she could not see the horrific injury Blake suffered.

“The girl we brought here? She’s badly hurt… We’re gonna try and help her… but it’s gonna hurt a lot for her. I don’t want you to see it… so please… go upstairs and close your door. Listen to the music set of Oscar’s, yeah?” She softly asked her, Amber nodded her head and smiled. She ran up the stairs and closed her door, just as Cinder asked her to. Cinder exhaled and she walked over to the cabinet and pulled out the newly bought First Aid Kit and got the Surgical Gloves out.

“Can… can you help her?” Weiss shivered, still dripping wet from the rain and freezing cold.

“We’ll try. There’s no saving her eyes, she’s gonna have to live with being blind for the rest of her life now… but Vernal saved me.” Cinder said, looking at her.

“From a burn… this? I dunno, Cinder… this is a whole other ballgame.” Vernal admitted as she pushed her hands through her short hair.

“We’ve got a good First Aid Kit. Look I don’t plan on letting these two stay here, but I couldn’t just leave them out there. Raven could have done the same for me, I can’t let her sacrifice be for nothing.” Cinder explained, and Vernal let out a trembling breath. Oscar gave Weiss a warm blanket, wrapping her up in it as she shuddered. “Vee… are you with me on this?”

Vernal looked at Blake’s face, and she clenched her hands into fists. “Okay… she’s got a better chance if we try opposed to if we don’t, right?” Vernal said.

“That’s the spirit.” Cinder said. “Oscar… I need you to hold her down. We don’t have any anaesthetic, so this is gonna hurt like hell.” Cinder warned.

Oscar held Blake down whilst Vernal searched through the First Aid Kit for the Disinfectant. She pulled it out and she started to undo the cap, shaking the liquid inside. She looked down at her eyes and she felt her hand shaking, but she walked over to the cabinet to the side and started to drink some alcohol to calm her nerves. It worked, and she approached Blake once again.

“Hey… you still with us?” Vernal asked Blake.

“Y-Yes…” Blake moaned weakly.

“We’re gonna try and help you… but I’m gonna warn you. This is gonna hurt a fucking lot.” She warned her, Blake nodded her head slowly.

“Should we give her something to bite on?” Oscar suggested.

“Probably a good idea.” Cinder agreed, so Oscar picked up a piece of leather.

“Here, bite down on this.” Oscar said, Blake slowly opened her mouth and did what they asked. Weiss stood beside them, wrapped up in her blanket, shaking with both concern and the cold in her bones. Vernal washed out Blake’s eyes with some cold water which made Blake strain with pain… then soaked the towel she held with the disinfectant… and she pressed it against Blake’s eyes. Blake screamed with pain, feeling the burning torment erupt from her eyes as the disinfectant worked away on her wound, killing any infections that she could have caught out there in the wilds.

Oscar held her down with all his might as she writhed from it. Blood stuck against the towel, trickling down from her eyes and across her cheeks. But they knew they needed to stop the initial bleeding first. She kept pressure on the wound whilst Cinder got the Needle and Thread out. “We have to close the wound and then bandage her… the bridge of her nose will be easy to handle but… her eyes will be hard.” Vernal explained as she kept the towel on Blake’s face.

The pain started to subside, and Blake panted from the searing pain. Cinder put the thread through the needle and held it out to Vernal. They switched places, and Cinder carefully lifted the folded towel, seeing the blood that covered the once white cloth. The blood leaked down her cheeks like tears, but it was not as bad as it once was. Vernal held the needle out and blew out a long breath, then she gently held Blake’s head, moving her black hair aside.

She pushed the needle into the open wound and pulled the string through. Blake screamed in agony; the leather fell from her mouth as she screamed. Weiss covered her mouth with horror, hearing Blake scream like that was disturbing to hear. “Keep the leather in your mouth or you’re gonna bite off your tongue.” Cinder said, carefully slotting it back inside her mouth. Her screams were more muffled this time.

Cinder looked at the stairs, but luckily Amber had not come down when she heard the screams. She was doing as Cinder asked her to. Vernal continued to start stitching up the wound. She then punctured the needle through the other side of the open wound, pulling the thread through. Blake screamed again from the pain… but then her screams faded, and she laid there, completely motionless. “Blake?” Weiss panicked with fear. “No! Blake?” She cried out.

“Wait…” Oscar told her, and he leaned down to her lips – she was still breathing, and she still had a pulse. “She passed out from the pain…” Oscar said with relief.

“Oh thank the gods… I guess that will make my job a little easier. I wish we had the level of drugs to keep her under.” Vernal said, but she continued to stitch up the wounds. Oscar then noticed her knee, also bleeding heavily.

“Gods her knee… you didn’t mention her knee.” Oscar said as he approached her long boot and pulled it from her leg. The blood covered her bare leg, and the hole where Adam’s sword stabbed straight through. “She’s losing a lot of blood.”

“We can help her…” Vernal assured as she continued to focus on her eyes. “Keep pressure on her knee, we’ll tend to it when we can.”

“Alright.” Oscar agreed. Cinder looked at Weiss and walked over to her and crouched down beside her.

“How about you? Apart from the cold, you aren’t looking so hot.” Cinder said, Weiss let the blanket fall and revealed her wounds. She had multiple cuts and slashes from when that Manticore launched that fireball at them, the fragments badly hurt her. But the worst of her injuries where the concussion and bleeding on the side of her head and her bleeding ankle. “Damn… you managed to carry Blake all this way with an ankle like that?” Cinder chuckled with awe, impressed by her fortitude.

Cinder lifted her leg up onto a box and she started to heat up her hand with her Maiden powers to cauterise the wound. She also handed another white towel to Weiss so she could press it against her head. They were going to need to patch them up with a lot of First Aid Materials, however they could easily get some more from Vale when things start to calm down.

Weiss was noticeably quiet. “Did anyone else make it out? Any of your friends?” Cinder asked her.

Weiss silently shook her head before she spoke. “Not that I could see… but…” Weiss closed her eyes with grief. “Jaune… Pyrrha… Sun… Neptune… Jaymes… Ozpin…” She could list the names forever. Cinder looked at her and sighed, there was once a time where she would have cheered to hear that their names had been on the graves of thousands. But now? Now she simply felt sorrow for them.

“I’m sorry.” Cinder apologised. Weiss stared at her.

“What happened to you? Last time I saw you… you were at Beacon trying to kill us.” Weiss stated.

“Well… I wound up with Raven Branwen. I was helping Ruby and Yang try and kill Jackdaw, but as you know… things didn’t go exactly according to plan. And now… Raven and the Tribe are both gone.” She explained as she pressed her hand against Weiss’ ankle. She gasped but forced through the searing pain, knowing this would help her recover.

“Raven? What happened to Raven?” Weiss asked.

“Ruby and Yang… alongside the others? Valravn came for them, attacked their transport and captured them. Raven told me that Valravn was going to kill Ruby and turn Yang into his puppet. The last thing she told me was that she was gonna get Qrow and Jackdaw to help her take down Jackdaw. The way she talked about it… I think she knew how it was gonna end. I think that night, the Branwens came to a violent end. I just hope that Ruby, Yang and the others managed to get away.” Cinder explained. “But with all those Kill Orders on their heads? It won’t be easy for them.”

“Kill Orders? They could still be alive?” Weiss gasped.

“Again… I hope so. I started to like those brats when we fought together. Their optimism was exhausting, but I misjudged them. But when they were captured by Val, that was when the Kill Order was placed. Fifteen Million Lien per head… everyone will be coming for them with bounties that high.” Cinder explained as she wrapped up Weiss’ ankle with gauze.

“I… hope so…” She felt kinda relieved.

“Take all the hope you can get right now, Heiress. Salem always talked about the Inhumane Necessity with Killian and Watts. It was always the final step to her master plan to conquer Remnant. If I were you I would find somewhere and lay low. Survive.” Cinder explained. “You can stay for the night, but by tomorrow afternoon I want you gone.”

Weiss softly nodded her head, she never expected Cinder to let them stay after all.

“What?” The voice of Amber softly said, and Cinder closed her eyes with frustration.

I knew she wouldn’t stay put.

“You’re kicking them out?” She questioned.

Cinder stood up and walked past Vernal who had just finished stitching the wounds of Blake’s, now wrapping a bandage around her head to cover her eyes so she could heal. “We can’t risk it, honey.” Cinder softly said to her.

“B-But she’s hurt. They both are.” Amber stated.

“The bad woman I talked about? Salem? She’s no longer hiding anymore, she’s not a scary campfire story anymore. She’s real. She has destroyed the Huntsmen Academies and is taking control of the world. We are all living under her thumb now… these two? They are fugitives to her now, and if she finds out we have helped them, let alone sheltered them? She will come for us and she will kill us all.” Cinder explained. “I will not expose you to that… not again… not after Shay.”

“That isn’t who you are.” Amber told her.

Cinder looked at her and she sighed. “It is sweetie. I may be better than I was… but I am still not good. Not like you. And… well… this is the best I can offer them. We sacrificed so much for this home… I am not willing to lose it, or Vee or Oscar… or you… for their lives.” Cinder explained, Amber looked devastated by this with tears in her eyes and she stormed back up the stairs to her room. “Amber…”

The door slammed shut, hard.

Cinder sighed, rubbing her tired eyes and she stood back up, turning to Weiss. Oscar was tending to her wound on her head. “We’ll patch you up and you can sleep on the couch. But when it’s morning, I want you both gone.” Cinder explained.

“Okay…” Weiss softly agreed. Oscar sighed as he continued to stitch up her head.

“I’m sorry.” Oscar said to her, but Weiss just stayed quiet.

Cinder walked up the stairs to Amber’s room and she leant by the door, gently knocking on it. “Hey…”

“Go away.” She heard the tearful voice of Amber inside. Cinder looked at the doorknob and she gently turned it, opening the door as she walked inside. She was wrapped up in her bed, facing the wall as she sniffled. Cinder sat down at the foot of her bed, gently stroking her head of hair.

“I’m sorry, sweetie.” She said.

“No. No you’re not.” Amber retorted.

“No I am. But we can’t risk it.” Cinder said.

“You told me that you wanted to be better… but how can you be better if you keep turning people away? They need us… if what you said really is what’s happening… then they will die out there. I don’t want them to die.” Amber softly said, she sounded so small and fragile as she spoke.

Cinder didn’t know what to say. “The girl with the hurt eyes… without our care she will die. And the white haired one? She looks so sad… they won’t make it alone. They need us.” Amber explained.

Cinder listened to what she said. “If Raven didn’t take you in… the same would have happened to you.”

That one cut deep – because Amber was right. Cinder looked at her, and she gently stroked her hair again. She stood up and left Amber in her room, gently closing the door. “Goodnight.” Cinder said as she thought on what Amber just said. As Cinder closed the door she pressed her head against it and shut her eye.

If Raven hadn’t taken me in… I would have died…

I became better because of her…

She sighed and walked back down the stairs to see Vernal had finished what she could for Blake, her eyes covered with a bandage. And her knee was now being tended to as well whilst Oscar wrapped a bandage under Weiss’ hair, before tending to some of her other smaller injuries. But for that she would have to take off her dress. “I’ll handle Weiss injuries from here, Oscar.” Cinder said.

“You sure? You look tired.” Oscar said.

“I’m fine.” Cinder assured. Cinder took Weiss into another room and stood outside so Weiss could get out of her damaged dress. She let it fall and stared at her bruised and cut reflection, flinching at the blood that leaked from some of them. “You ready?” She asked.

“Y-Yeah…” Weiss answered as she laid down in just her bra and pants on the bed. Cinder brought the stuff in and she looked at some of them.

“Damn… they worked you over good. How bad was it?” Cinder asked.

“I take it you heard the explosion?” Weiss assumed.

“I saw the end of it. The tower collapsing. How did that happen?” Cinder asked.

“Jaune… he set off the bombs Jackdaw had woven into the cement. He tried to stop Salem, but it did nothing.” Weiss explained.

“Salem can’t be killed… believe me… I’ve seen her survive things that would kill anybody else. Even the heart of an explosion can’t kill her. Nothing can.” Cinder explained as she sewed up some of her injures, covering them up with some bandages.

“Is this what life is gonna be like now?” Weiss asked.

“Yeah… Salem is gonna hunt your kind down like dogs. If I were you, I’d be ready for a hard life.” Cinder explained, and Weiss gasped from the pain. Cinder looked down at her on the bed and sighed – she couldn’t stop thinking about what Amber said. She then saw something outside… lights…

Cinder’s eye widened because there were Flashlights on her property.

“Shit.” Cinder said. She immediately threw Weiss Vernal’s Dressing Gown. “Take your dress and your sword and follow me.” Cinder ordered.

Weiss quickly wrapped herself up in the gown and followed her, picking up her dress and Myrtenaster. Cinder walked quickly into the living room. “What is it?” Vernal asked as she finished up on Blake’s knee.

“The Black Gallows. They must be trying to track the two of them.” Cinder explained.

Should we just give them to the Gallows? No… they will do terrible things to them. Probably just give Blake to Adam… I dread to think what horrible things he would do to her now.

“Please… please don’t give us to them.” Weiss begged.

Cinder crouched down and she threw a carpet aside, revealing a trap door beneath her. She undid the bolt and swung it open. “Go! Take Blake and hide, do not make a sound.” Cinder commanded. Weiss carried Blake down the stairs and Oscar threw Gambol Shroud down there as well. Cinder slammed the Trap Door down and locked the bolt, covering it with the decorative mat.

Cinder immediately walked outside and formed her Axe in her hand with Vernal pointing her Guns and Oscar spinning his Chained Hammers around. “Hey! The hell do you think you’re doing here?” Cinder yelled; the Black Gallows Soldiers approached – then parted to reveal that Killian was leading them.

Shit… Killian…

“Hello again, Cinder… how long has it been now? Four years?” Killian asked her.

“Sounds about right.” Cinder nodded her head.

“Funny how time flies, isn’t it?” Killian chuckled as he walked up the steps towards her. “Nice plot of land you’ve got here.”

“Get to the point. You’re not here for a meet and greet.” Cinder stated.

“Ah, I have missed that sharp mood of yours.” Killian chuckled. “Well… I assume you saw the explosion?” Killian asked.

“Yeah, I know what she’s done. The Inhumane Necessity, right?” Cinder presumed.

“That’s right. Beacon is no more; the Huntsmen and Huntresses are a blight that must be eradicated.” Killian explained.

Cinder scoffed. “Must feel like it’s your birthday, huh?”

“Not at all, actually. I never wanted this; I didn’t want them to die. I wanted them to serve Salem instead. But things happened… and now things had to get ugly. Which is why we are here.” Killian said.

“And why are you here?” Cinder asked.

“An Abductor spotted Weiss Schnee and Blake Belladonna in these parts. Both of them were severely injured. Then the Abductor wound up dead out of nowhere… know anything about it?” Killian asked her.

“Afraid not. I killed a couple Grimm that showed up here but haven’t seen one of those creepy bastards. Unless I forgot.” Cinder shrugged.

“Yes, they are annoying like that.” He reached down into his pocket, revealing he had a warrant, one which had Salem’s Eye as the Seal of Approval.

“That’s new.” Cinder grasped.

“Yeah we’re still working on them. Look I know that they’re not here, okay? The rain made tracking them really hard and I know you wouldn’t take in old enemies. But… your farmstead is one of the few places they could flee to. We have already checked Vale, and we’re checking a couple other places too. I just need to check this place off; we won’t take long. Can you help me out?” Killian asked, he genuinely seemed to be certain that they weren’t here, so Cinder stepped aside.

“Just don’t wake up the kid. She’s had a rough few weeks… I mean look at us… we all have.” Cinder said, gesturing to her still beaten face after the Fall of the Branwen Tribe.

“Don’t worry, we won’t be too loud.” Killian assured, gesturing to his Raven Talons. They walked inside of their house as they started to search the place. They were very polite and respectful, carefully checking things to make sure things were not suspicious. Killian crouched down and touched the blood on the floor – Blake’s blood. “Someone have an accident?”

“No, recently hunted and skinned a dear. We’re still getting this place up and running, had to improvise.” Cinder answered, and luckily that was not even a lie. Killian could see the hide on the counter alongside the valuable set down as well. And the dinner plates were in the sink, which meant they had just recently finished eating what they gathered from the Buck.

“Not bad.” Killian chuckled as he stood up.

The soldiers walked up the stairs and checked around, one of them entered the room where Cinder was tending to Weiss, and luckily there were no signs that she was even there. Cinder remained atop the mat where the Trap Door was. Beneath it, Weiss was ready to use Myrtenaster, but kept Blake close. Cinder turned to Killian. “How many stragglers have you caught?” She asked.

“We nearly got Coco Adel, but she escaped. Velvet Scarlatina and Fox Alistair and missing too, managed to slip right under our noses. But we caught a couple of members from some teams. Bolin from A.B.R.N and May from B.R.N.Z. Both of them were executed… still looking for the other one from A.B.R.N.” Killian explained.

“The other one?” Cinder asked.

“Arslan. She’s unknown. She just vanished as well.” Killian answered, Weiss felt immense relief to know that Coco actually managed to escape.

Don’t screw with Coco… Weiss thought to herself.

They took a few minutes longer, but then all the soldiers came down the stairs. “Nothing, Commander. The place is clear.” The soldier said.

“Called it. Okay, sorry to have bothered you this late, Cinder. Enjoy the rest of your evening.” Killian said to her as he left.

“Yeah… all the same to you.” Cinder forcibly said to him. Cinder watched him get aboard the Wasp that was landed in the woods, flying off into the distance. She waited until she knew it was safe and opened the Trap Door once again. Weiss weakly walked out from the darkness with Blake in her arms, still unconscious.

“That was way too fucking close.” Cinder snarled, slamming the door shut behind Weiss.

“I’m sorry… we will be gone tomorrow.” Weiss said.

“No… you won’t.” Cinder answered with a sigh. Vernal and Oscar looked at her, hopefulness in their eyes. Amber also walked down the steps slowly as she listened to what Cinder said. Cinder sighed, like she didn’t want to say it but knew it was the right thing to do. “If you follow my rules, and don’t leave this farm – then I will allow you to stay. But I’m serious – if you step beyond my land, you can’t come back. There’s nothing left for you out there.” Cinder explained to Weiss.

“O-Okay… I understand. And… thank you… thank you so much.” Weiss said.

“Yeah… well… you’re welcome.” Cinder said with a sigh, walking away from them. She stopped at the door and looked back at them.

“I better not regret saving you.” Cinder told them, echoing what Raven once told her when she saved her life.

Vernal chuckled. “Welcome to the family, I guess.” Vernal softly said.

 

Weiss

 

She refused to leave Blake’s side, asleep beside her.

Blake was resting on the sofa with a blanket over her whilst Weiss stayed close to her, resting as well. But she could not sleep, not without knowing if Blake was okay. Blake was the only friend she had left now, with Beacon gone and her family – Winter exempt – were dead. She stayed beside her. She wiped the tears from her heartbroken eyes, only now that she could rest did she start to think about what happened. Her sniffles broke down into sobs, burying her head into her hands. Picturing their faces – remembering their last moments. The cataclysmic scenario that happened earlier.

She cried for an hour… but eventually she managed to get that bottled up emotion out of her system, using a cloth to wipe the tears from her cheeks and eyes. She gently held Blake’s hand, hoping she would wake up soon. She waited all night for her to wake up.

Four hours later… the sun began to rise…

And in that time, Blake finally woke up.

“W-Weiss? Weiss?” Blake whimpered as she looked around, her ears quickly moving as well. Weiss turned and gasped.

“It’s okay… shh… it’s okay. I’m here.” Weiss promised, squeezing her hand. Blake gasped from the pain as she touched the bandage over her eyes, she hadn’t even noticed the pain in her knee until she tried to move it. “Don’t move… just rest.” Weiss begged her.

“Please… please tell me it was a dream…” Blake begged her.

“Blake… I’m so sorry. But it wasn’t… it’s all gone. Salem did exactly what we feared she was going to do. She unleashed everything she had and wiped us out. We haven’t heard from the other Kingdoms, but I don’t think Beacon was the only one that got hit. I think all the others did as well.” Weiss explained, wiping the rest of the tears from her eyes. Blake laid there, and she pushed her hands through her hair.

“What do we do?” She gasped.

“I… I don’t know. Cinder has allowed us to stay here so long as we follow her rules and don’t leave the Farm. Which… is a good idea… the Black Gallows showed up here looking for us. They’re hunting us now; this might be the safest place we could possibly be.” Weiss explained to her.

“How are you feeling?” Weiss asked her, gently pressing the back of her hand against her forehead.

“Like… death…” She softly answered. “What about you? Did you get hurt?”

“A little, but not as bad as you.” Weiss answered. “My ankle is busted, and I got a concussion but…”

“My eyes… what am I supposed to do?” She gasped.

“You learn how to live with it.” Cinder answered. Weiss turned to see Cinder stood in the living room. “Looks like you woke up, I’m not gonna lie it was touch and go for a while there.” Cinder explained.

“Thank you… for letting us stay.” Blake said to her. Cinder walked past them, and she stood in front of the window – she had just finished the fence around the farm, now she could actually rest.

And yet… she wasn’t.

“Did Weiss tell you my conditions?” Cinder asked.

“She said to follow your rules… and to not leave the farm.” Blake answered.

“Yeah – well, here are my specific rules. Number One: Pull your weight, my lodging doesn’t come for free. And we want to build something here. Number Two: Respect each other’s boundaries, so no snooping in anyone else’s rooms… although that one is kinda for Amber more than anyone else. And Number Three: If you do anything… and I mean… anything… that hurts my girl? I will kill you.” Cinder warned as she approached them, staring at them with burning flames erupting from her eye.

They both looked at Cinder and they nodded her head.

“Okay… we would never hurt her, I promise.” Weiss assured.

“I know – but after what we went through with Ruby? I’d rather be sure.” Cinder explained. “The world is a dangerous place now; I don’t know how Salem plans to change what the U.G.R put in place but one thing I do know… is that people like you will be made an example out of. They probably have already captured people so they could slowly butcher them in front of the populous to send a message.”

Cinder turned to Blake. “And as for you, Blind Girl – you will have to learn how to live with your eyes.”

“Cinder…” Weiss softly said.

“I’m not being an asshole, I’m stating fact. Just because you lost your eyes does not mean you are useless. You have your ears and can use them to help. I won’t ask you to do anything too crazy because of your condition but I will find you something to do.” Cinder assured. “End of the day there will be more than enough work to go around when we get this place up and running. When things cool down… I will find some stuff to help you grow accustomed to it. I would know, after all.” Cinder said, pointing to her eyepatch. “It’s not the same since I still have one eye… but I had to learn to live like this. I managed it, so will you.” Cinder assured.

Cinder walked towards the stairs so she could get some sleep, but she stopped and looked back. “And if you ever want… to talk… just say. I’m not stupid… I know you both just lost everything… and everyone. And I am sorry… but this isn’t the end. It can’t be.” Cinder said as she walked up the stairs to her bedroom to get some rest.

Weiss laid down on the floor with her pillow and blanket over her.

Neither were going to get much sleep; all they could do was picture their faces…

… Sun and Neptune.

And it brought them to tears, every single time.

 

Cinder

 

A few days later…

Cinder landed down on the still smoking rubble of the Decimated Academy of Beacon. The stench of death filled the air as she walked around, her short black hair fluttered in the wind. Smoke blew past her as she walked, finding Crows and Ravens picking and the dead flesh of countless souls who fell here. She walked past some of them, finding the ripped apart remains of Nadir, blood splattered everywhere.

She walked over the rocks, the ground still warm with death and fire. The destruction was unlike anything she had seen before. Her Amber eye was eye as she searched for any sign of life but there was nothing… no one…

… one could hardly even recognise this used to be an Academy, filled with life.

She then found the chasm, where the Vault once was. She dropped down into it, using her Maiden Powers to soften the landing. As she landed, her eye widened… finding Pyrrha’s impaled corpse on the ground. Her eyes still open but dead inside, jagged prongs of metal protruding from her corpse, blood everywhere. Skin pale, and crows pecking at her body. She shooed them away and crouched down beside her.

Cinder exhaled with shame. “Seemed like you couldn’t escape your fate, could you? It was always going to end this way.” Cinder sighed as she stared at her body. She then walked away from Pyrrha’s final rest, and flew back up, leaving the abandoned Vault behind, unaware that in six years time that dead body would come back to life.

Cinder landed back atop the ruins, but she stopped with wide eyes from what she saw…

… a Seer.

The croaking Creature of Grimm floated towards her, its long red tentacles pattered against the ruins, staring directly at her. Then the glass dome cracked, and it dropped to the ground with a clunk… and the smoke rose from its corpse, forming into the Apparition of Salem. She held out her hands and stared at Cinder, clasping her hands together.

“Cinder…” Salem greeted.

“Salem.” Cinder replied.

“It’s been a long time since we last spoke.” Salem said, walking alongside her. Cinder walked with her, surprised at how… civil this conversation felt.

“Yeah, looks like you’ve been busy in that time. You’ve finally accomplished your goal.” Cinder commented.

“Not yet… not all my goals.” Salem said.

“What more could you possibly want? The Academies are destroyed, the Huntsmen and Huntresses are no more, and Ozpin is dead – and on top of all that, you are now the Ruler of Remnant. What more could there be?” Cinder asked.

“Let’s just say there are things that even you do not fully comprehend about me and my desires.” Salem assured.

“That’s a fancy way of saying none of your damn business.” Cinder chuckled, which made Salem chuckle as well.

“Yes, I suppose it is.” Salem said, she then stopped and approached Cinder once more.

“Cinder… tell me… did Weiss Schnee and Blake Belladonna find themselves at your Farmstead three days ago?” Salem asked her, and Cinder exhaled through her nose.

“No.” Cinder firmly answered.

“You’re lying.” Salem quickly retorted, seeing straight through Cinder. “Killian might have believed you, but I raised you – and I know when you are lying.”

Cinder stared back at her; she knew that Salem knew now. “But worry not… so long as they do not interfere with my plans, they can stay with you and I promise I will not harm you or your precious little family.” Salem assured, that was not what Cinder was expecting her to say.

And that made her suspicious.

“Why? Why let them go?” Salem asked.

“I haven’t… I know where they are now… I am entrusting you to keep them out of my way. At the end of the day they are two injured and broken Huntresses who have lost everything. If you provide them stability then they will be indebted to you, and therefore will do as you ask. So… if you keep them from meddling with my affairs… then your home will be safe. You have my word on that.” Salem assured, and Cinder looked and her and exhaled, nodding her head.

“Okay… you have my word as well.” Cinder assured.

“But know this, Cinder. If I learn that you have interfered with my plans in any way… I cannot promise what will happen next.” Salem assured as she approached. “That girl is a sweet thing… keep her close. And never let go.”

The Apparition of Salem faded away and the Seer’s corpse crumbled away into dust.

Cinder stood amongst the ruins of Beacon Academy… she knew that the conditions Blake and Weiss were living under now were now the shields that kept them safe from Salem.

They had to follow them…

… or face Salem’s wrath.

 

Blake

 

The next six years were going to be tough…

… but it was a future, one where Weiss and Blake were not alone.

Blake sat in front of the little exercises that she could use to help herself live with her new blindness, trying to stack some of Amber’s old toys on top of each other to make a perfect tower. Weiss sat there and watched her, but she kept on missing or accidentally knocking them over.

These were not the only things she had to learn, she was also given a Guide Stick, bought for her from Vale by Oscar, to help her feel her way around to walk around. Alongside having to heal her leg from constant movements, but it would not come easily, bumping into things and even feeling dizzy from the sudden change of senses.

Blake was not the only one having to find a new way to live in this new world, because Weiss was already given a new job – running the finances of the Farm. She stared at the huge book with Vernal shrugging her shoulder next to her. “Hey, you’re a Schnee, you should know how this stuff works.”

“How did you get to that conclusion?” Weiss questioned, she sighed and sat down, looking at everything.

However it quickly came to her, writing down every single income and expenditure. The Farm started to grow over the six years they were living there, and the House even got a nice expansion which gave Weiss and Blake their own rooms instead of just sleeping in shared bedroom. Outside, Blake helped Oscar with the Fence Expansion with reached the river where Salmon would rush through, however her blindness was not easy for her.

Many thumbs got hit with hammers, but as time went on, Blake started to improved her coordination, and she started to use her other senses to navigate the world. Her stick became her new best friend, feeling every single thing in her way, and she was getting better at avoiding things in her way.

But every now an then she would still falter and trip, but Weiss was always there to help her, and catch her when she fell. Blake continued with Amber’s little puzzles whilst Cinder helped her with homework in the background. As the years continued, Amber grew bigger and bigger, and becoming more mature as they passed by. Amber and Blake’s friendship grew, and she started to help Blake with her blindness, playing together outside, catching balls and playing tennis, something that started to really help with Blake’s senses.

Even made her smile and laugh.

Blake continued to help Oscar with expanding the fence, and she never missed the nail, and very soon they were fishing Salmon from the river. Weiss sat down and was managing their finances with impressive speed, whilst Vernal sold their Crops and meat and milk from the cattle to the Supermarkets in Vale. And when nothing was happening, Weiss kept herself fit, training with Cinder and constantly practicing her Glyphs and her Summoning. Even using the Arma Gigas to help lift the heavier things when expanding the house for their rooms.

Oscar started to draw impressive sketches of both Sun and Neptune, so then they could always have them close. His Artistic Skills were always very impressive, and Weiss smiled as she held the picture of her boyfriend close to her heart. When their rooms were finished, they both helped each other furnish them and make them their own.

And then every day repeated, Weiss handled the Farm’s Finances, whilst Cinder and Amber tended to the cattle together. Amber smiled as she patted their cows on the noses and bought new horses for them to ride into town.

Blake aimed her gun forward, and fired, but she kept on missing the target, and she sighed. The one thing that she could never master was combat… because she was missing an entire sense, one of the most important ones. She sighed and lowered her gun, but Amber could always put a smile on Blake’s face as they played together, and Blake helped her tend to the Cattle and even helped with her Homework just as Cinder did.

After the six years… and all her time learning how to live this way…

… the present day came.

Blake focused carefully as she placed each of the old toys on top of each other, leaving only one more to go. Both Weiss and Amber watched intently as Blake carefully held it up… and she placed it atop the tower.

And it didn’t fall.

“YES! YOU DID IT!” Both Amber and Weiss cheered as they jumped from their seats together. Amber was much bigger now, no longer that tiny Seven-Year-Old Girl who trailed behind Cinder’s footsteps. She was now a Thirteen-Year-Old Girl with long wavy blonde hair and huge eyes. Blake gasped and she bounced up from her chair and she laughed.

“I did?” She gasped.

“You did it!” Amber squeaked, jumping and wrapping her arms around Blake. They both laughed as Blake lifted her off the floor, making her laugh as she swung her around. The two of them were much happier now… and Blake looked healthier than before. “You see Vicky? Blake did it!” Amber called, patting her knees to the new excited Golden Retriever which ran over to her. It jumped up and licked Blake’s cheek, she laughed as she held the dog.

“Whoa now, okay…” Blake chuckled. Vicky waddled up to Weiss and she stroked the Golden Retriever gently.

“Hey, girl…” Weiss softly said to the dog.

“So… judging by the cheering… did you do it?” Cinder asked as she walked out from her office, finishing up on the paperwork.

“I did… first time.” She said.

“I ain’t gonna say I told you so… but… I did tell you so.” Cinder chuckled, which made Blake laugh as well. She kicked her Guide Stick up into her hand and used it to help her walk around, but it was like second nature now. She walked over to the glasses and she poured herself a glass of water and had a sip. Weiss walked over to the Finance Book, looking over their expenditures and incomes.

“Things are looking fairly good, Cinder. Where are Vernal and Oscar?” Weiss asked.

“They should be back any second. They went into Vale to go and sell the rest of the stuff to the Markets.” Cinder answered as she stretched her arms with a sigh. “Amber… have you fed her yet?”

“Oh yeah.” Amber giggled. “Come on, Vicky.”

She walked with the Golden Retriever over to their Utility Room where her bed and the food was kept. Now up in the highest place possible so then the dog could not sniff it out. Amber pulled out the crate and reached up to get it and filled up Vicky’s bowl with food. “Here you go, baby.” Amber softly cooed. “And yes, before you say, I have done my homework.”

“I didn’t say anything…” Cinder chuckled as she poured herself a glass of orange juice. She walked outside and looked up as an Airship flew overhead with a flock of Nevermores guarding it, with the Schnee Dust Company Logo imprinted on the side of it. But the company was now being run by Arthur Watts. Weiss stood beside her and she sighed.

“It’s been six years… and I still can’t believe he is actually my Uncle.” Weiss said.

“Tell me about it. I knew the guy for over a decade, and I had no clue.” Cinder said. “But… despite all the terrible things that bastard did, the Schnee Dust Company has actually been… well… morally improved. Faunus Racism has ended per the new Laws.” Cinder explained.

“Yeah…” Weiss sighed as she sat down on the sofa, Blake looked at her and sat down next to her. Blake now wore a Black Ribbon over her blinded eyes instead of the bandage now they had healed up, something that actually looked quite stylish now.

“You okay?” Blake asked her.

“Yeah… just thinking of him makes me… I never cared for my father. But Whitley and my mom?” Weiss sighed. “My family was always complicated… but they didn’t deserve that.”

“I don’t think life is about getting what we deserve.” Cinder stated.

“Ever the optimist.” Weiss scoffed.

“Eh, not wrong though. We just live with the cards we’re dealt.” Cinder said as she picked up the television remote and turned it on. The first thing on there was a news report.

“It has been six years since the Extermination of the Huntsmen Academies across Remnant. Reports have shown that more and more survivors from the extermination have been seen in different Kingdoms across the world. If you have any information of the whereabouts of these dangerous individuals please seek the nearest Black Gallows Official, Praetorian Knight or Seer to help us end the threat these men and women pose.” The man continued but Cinder switched to a different channel where a movie was playing.

But enough was heard that it clearly upset them. The bad memories came flooding back, memories of Sun and Neptune and how much they missed them… and how they were blaming themselves for giving Ruby and Yang to the Black Gallows. Cinder may have told them that Raven went to save them… but for all they knew… they were dead. And they still felt responsible for everything that went down, accidentally allowing Raven to escape, sending Yang into a berserk state of mind.

So many mistakes… they just continued to linger even six years later.

Amber could see their distress, then an idea flickered in her big eyes. “Hey! Why don’t we go fishing?” She suggested, gesturing over to the rods in the corner of the room. Weiss and Blake looked at Cinder.

“Hey, I trust you with her. Go ahead.” Cinder said as she read over the newspaper. Weiss and Blake both got up and got the rods and followed Amber to the river.

 

Weiss

 

The two of them followed the energetic young lady towards the river, she skipped happily across the field towards it. Despite how dark the days were in their lives; she was a constant light for them to crawl towards. “Hey? You okay?” Weiss asked her.

“Yeah… just thinking…” Blake softly said, gently moving her Guide Stick back and forth like a pendulum, tapping a rock and avoiding it.

“Here we are! Wanna bet on how many we can catch?” Amber asked them curiously.

“Hmm… I’m gonna say… five each.” Weiss confidently said.

“Blake?” Amber asked.

“Huh? Oh… uh… three. Each.” Blake answered, Amber smiled.

“I’m gonna say ten each! Enough to feed us all the way up to the Winter!” She cheered with her hands out with joy. The two of them chuckled as they got their bat onto the lines. They could see the huge Salmon shooting up the river, swimming to spawn upstream.

“There’s some big ones in there.” Weiss said, and they cast the lines. They sat down on the chairs they always had waiting since this was the best spot. But Amber – like always – liked to sit on the floor. She held her line gently as she watched them swim by. They waited and every now and then they caught one of them. Blake listened to the rushing water and sensed the movements on her rod.

But she jolted when a crow cawed deafeningly loudly in the tree next to her. She gasped and turned, staring up at the tree. More Crows showed up, all of them cawing in the tree above their heads. The three of them turned their gaze to the crows above their heads, all cawing at them.

“What the hell?” Weiss muttered as she collapsed her Fishing Rod down. The three of them stood up and followed the Crows as they took off from the tree and landed down the river from them. They stayed close to the fence, but approached it…

… and they saw something.

“Oh gods…” Weiss gasped.

“What?” Amber asked.

“Don’t look… it’s… a body.” Weiss said.

“Another one… damn Black Gallows.” Blake growled with disgust as they approached the body washed up on the river. Amber waited back, watching them approach the body. They both crouched down, and Weiss turned the body over.

Weiss’ blue eyes widened with utter disbelief. “What is it?” Blake asked with confusion since she could not see who it was.

“You don’t know who it is, do you?” Amber asked.

“Yeah… we do…” Weiss gasped, struggling to find the words.

“It’s… Pyrrha…”

 

 

Chapter 4: Brave New World

Chapter Text

Weiss

 

Shock felt like too tame of a word to use in describing how Weiss and Blake felt upon finding Pyrrha.

But… she died… it’s been six years, how the hell is this even possible?

Weiss looked around, concerned that maybe someone was chasing her, but they could not see any signs of pursuers in the trees. “Are you certain that’s her?” Blake asked her with disbelief in her voice.

“Of course I know it’s her, it’s not a face you can easily forget.” Weiss assured as she crouched down to Pyrrha. She lifted her off the ground, she expected her arms to struggle, but Pyrrha was worryingly light. Weiss could tell from how skinny she was before even needing to pick her up, but this was worse than she was expecting. “Gods, she is in a really bad way.” Weiss explained as she carried Pyrrha in her arms.

“Come on, we’ll take her back to the house.” Amber said as she jogged ahead of them.

“Cinder isn’t gonna be very happy about this, Amber.” Blake warned.

“That doesn’t matter! She needs help, and we can help her just as we helped the two of you. Come on!” Amber hurried, gesturing to them. Blake looked in Weiss’ direction, and Weiss sighed, and she walked ahead with Pyrrha in her arms. Part of Weiss still could not believe it was really her, it seemed to ridiculous for her to imagine. They were there when Beacon fell, they both saw the destruction and Cinder even went to the Academy a few days after. She told them about Pyrrha’s dead body, it was an old wound that still hurt – but one that they had come to terms with.

And suddenly… that wound was beginning to open once more.

They swiftly brought Pyrrha closer to the house and Amber burst the door open, which swiftly got Cinder’s attention. The Fall Maiden raised her head with a concerned eye. “Whoa, what is it?” Cinder asked her, then she gasped as Weiss stormed inside with Pyrrha in her arms. “WHAT IN THE FUCK?” Cinder yelled with shock.

“Language!” Amber yelled.

“NO! No! No! No! NO!” Cinder stammered. “The hell is this? How… I… she…” Cinder could hardly even find the words; she could still remember the sight of her corpse impaled on those spikes of metal even now.

“We don’t have time! We need to get her out of these robes, she’s freezing cold!” Weiss argued, Amber immediately opened the door to Weiss’ Room – since Weiss was fine with her sleeping in her bed for the night. Weiss laid her onto the bed, she and Blake started to get the freezing cold robes off her body, so then they could get her into the warmth of the bed as quickly as they could. But once they got her clothes off… they saw the shocking truth.

It was Pyrrha – and it was not that she miraculously survived the attack, because the scars were in the same place where Cinder described the impaling. They covered her torso, one of them on her breast and the others around her stomach and ribs. Cinder stared with utter disbelief at what she was seeing, there were not many things that genuinely shocked Cinder to her core. But seeing someone she knew was dead somehow alive? When she saw her body decomposing and at this point she would have been a skeleton? And there she was… breathing and not a day older from when she died, still twenty-one years old.

Cinder stood outside the room whilst Weiss and Blake tended to her, and Amber looked up at Cinder with worry. “Cinder? Are you okay?” She softly asked her, and Cinder pushed her hand through her hair and started to quickly pace through the house, checking every single window. She watched the treeline, waiting to see if the Black Gallows were near, but she could not see anything or anyone nearby.

Weiss tucked Pyrrha into the bed as she laid there, she shivered whilst still in a deep sleep. Weiss stared at Pyrrha as she reached her hands behind her neck, gobsmacked by this revelation. “It… It’s really her…” Weiss gasped, staring at her as she slept. Blake looked at where she laid, she could not see her but could hear her heartbeat. The Invincible Girl was indeed stabilising, but she was hardly out of the woods.

It was going to take a lot more time to really warm her up, so Blake crouched down to the radiators and turned them up to help thaw her body out some more. Weiss gently chewed her nails, before she sat on the bed next to Pyrrha. “How is this even possible?” Weiss gasped.

“I… I don’t know.” Blake stammered.

“I know Salem survived the explosion and cannot be killed… but… Pyrrha? And she doesn’t look like a day had passed.” Weiss explained.

Blake could not even find the words. “Do you think that maybe… Sun and Neptune? Maybe Jaune? How many others could possibly be alive?” Blake suggested with concern in her voice, but Weiss shook her head and sighed.

“I… I don’t think we’d be that lucky, Blake. I don’t know how Pyrrha is back… we can ask her when she comes to. But we didn’t see the others there… it was just Pyrrha.” Weiss explained, and Blake bowed her head with grief, and they both stood up and left Pyrrha to sleep for a while. As Weiss walked back into the living room, Cinder suddenly slammed her against the wall, pinning her with her forearm.

“Cinder!” Amber yelled.

“Hey! The hell are you doing?” Blake yelled with anger, but Cinder just pointed at Blake, knowing it must have been Weiss who made the call. Weiss strained as Cinder forced her against the wall.

“What the hell were you thinking, bringing her here? Did you not remember how many soldiers Killian sent to find the two of you? The fact he actually came in person to track you down?” She growled.

“She wasn’t followed…” Weiss strained.

“No? How the hell do you know? She was knocked unconscious, washed up on the river’s edge? Tell me, Weiss, why do you think she would have been in the water for? D’ya think she was going for a swim?” Cinder questioned as she pushed against Weiss’ throat harder, gritted teeth.

“That’s enough!” Blake yelled.

“Hold your tongue Blake or I’ll take that from you too!” Cinder threatened as she formed a knife in her hand, which silenced Blake immediately. She turned back to Weiss, pointing the blade to her cheek. “I told you the rules – and you have just broken one of the most important ones. To not jeopardise this place and my family.” Cinder growled.

“She was washed up on our river, what was I supposed to do? It’s your property, you have every right to take in whatever shows up on this chunk of the river.” Weiss explained, which was true, however Cinder was not forgiving anything.

“Do you seriously think Salem does not know that Pyrrha Nikos is alive? All it takes is one Grimm to realise who she is, or one Black Gallows Soldier or Feral One, and her incognito level suddenly goes down the fucking drain. Salem knows Pyrrha is alive… and the fact she came back from the fucking dead? She’s gonna come looking… if she finds her here? Well… I told you before… Salem knows about you and Blake. Do you think she will keep Blake’s location a secret for long if we break our end of the bargain?” Cinder questioned.

“We can’t just leave her, Cinder…” Weiss strained, and Cinder scoffed.

“I took the pair of you in… and this is how it gets repaid? I will not risk this place because of that girl, and I will not risk the future I have been trying to build for her!” Cinder roared, she released Weiss and stormed off, letting Weiss catch her breath.

“Cinder!” Amber called, Cinder stormed towards the stairs and stopped, she wheezed and coughed hard for a few moments, before turning to Weiss and Blake.

“Once she is up, give her some clothes and let her leave. Either that or you go with her – your choice.” Cinder told them both, before she stormed up the stairs and slammed the door shut behind her.

Weiss breathed labouredly, massaging her throat. Amber gently tended to Weiss, touching the marks on her slender neck. “Are you okay?” Amber nervously asked her.

“Yeah… yeah I’m okay…” Weiss softly answered.

“That went about as well as could be expected.” Blake sighed as she scratched the back of her neck, moving some of the waves of shoulder length black hair aside.

“I’m sorry about her, I’ll go talk to her. She’s just worried.” Amber explained as she held her forearm.

“She’s not wrong, it was risky bringing her back here. But what other choice did we have? We couldn’t just leave Pyrrha out there to freeze to death.” Weiss explained.

“You… you’re not going to leave are you? You’re part of our family.” Amber shyly asked them, and Weiss smiled.

“I… I don’t know. I can’t leave her; I don’t know about Blake but…”

“Are you serious? Where you go I go, if you have to leave to keep Pyrrha safe then I am going with you.” Blake interrupted, Blake’s loyalty warmed Weiss’ heart.

“But you’re eyes? You’ve gotten better but… out there? On your own?” Amber softly said to her with concern.

“Let’s just hope that it never comes to that. Like Weiss said, we didn’t see any Black Gallows, Pyrrha could have just fallen into the River by accident and got swept down river. I mean… judging by her condition, she looks like she could have passed out from hunger and dehydration.” Weiss explained as she stood tall once more, no longer struggling to breathe after Cinder snapping at her like that.

Weiss walked back into the room where Pyrrha was asleep, and she sat down on the edge of the bed. She looked at her and gently held her shoulder, feeling her body already starting to warm up. “If she has only just come back… then she must be so confused. When she wakes, you know that we’re gonna have to fill her in, right?” Blake asked Weiss.

“Yeah, I know… and we will. She needs to know.” Weiss agreed, they heard the door open and they turned their heads.

“We’re back!” Vernal called out, walking back in the house with Oscar. They both walked in and Oscar unleashed a loud yawn, stretching his arms.

“There was one hell of a situation going on in Vale. Some Huntress was spotted and caused a bunch of carnage trying to escape.” Oscar explained, Weiss and Blake looked at Pyrrha and they winced, knowing that Cinder was right.

It was no accident – Pyrrha did indeed get spotted.

Vernal stopped when she stared into the room where they were sat, and her eyes widened when she saw Pyrrha in the bed. Her hair was undone because of the rushing water, and the wet locks covered half her face, but Weiss gently moved Pyrrha’s crimson red hair aside. Oscar saw her as well – Pyrrha had an instantly recognisable face. Not only because she was an unbelievably beautiful woman, but because everyone knew who she was – she was the Invincible Girl.

“What the shit?” Oscar gasped as he looked at Pyrrha.

“Is that who I think that is?” Vernal asked.

“Yeah… it’s Pyrrha Nikos… we found her at the river’s edge. Cinder is… not incredibly happy right now. She’s already threatened to kick Blake and I out if we don’t send her away as soon as she wakes up.” Weiss explained, Vernal and Oscar looked at each other and they sighed.

“She doesn’t mean that… you know she cares about the two of you. She just worries a lot.” Vernal said, crossing her arms.

“I know…” Weiss sighed. “But we can’t just leave her. She’s alive… somehow… we have to help her.”

Oscar and Vernal were uncertain of where they stood in this debate, but Amber looked up at the stairs and she sighed. “I’m going to go talk to Cinder.” Amber said.

“Are you sure that’s a good idea, right now?” Oscar asked.

“She won’t hurt me.” Amber stated.

“No, I know, it’s just… well… I wouldn’t wanna risk pissing her off when she’s in such a bad mood already.” Oscar explained, but Amber just kept walking up the stairs.

 

Amber

 

She approached Cinder’s bedroom, and she gently knocked on it. “Cinder?” She cooed, ever so slightly opening the door. She saw Cinder sat on the bed with her head in her hands. She looked so scared, her hands were shaking, and her amber eye was wide. Amber walked into her room and sat on the bed behind her. “Are you okay?”

“I’m sorry if I scared you… I don’t hate them… hell I have actually grown to care for those two, but I can’t let this one slide. That girl… she shouldn’t be alive… I don’t know how she is… but she is. And Salem knows it, I’d stake my life on it.” Cinder explained and Amber softly sighed.

“But you don’t know that.” Amber said.

“I – of all people – know that Amber. I was one of her pawns once, a vessel for the Maiden Powers. She has eyes everywhere, and I have seen her do and know things that I could never comprehend. I’ve seen her manage to figure out the location of someone with Silver Eyes from them simply using their power. So someone being brought back from the dead, by whatever means? She knows… and when she figures out that she ended up here? Well… I’d be surprised if she tries peaceful negotiation again.” Cinder explained, there was a slight tremble in her voice.

Amber could tell that Cinder really was afraid, terrified of Salem and what she would do if Cinder broke her end of the deal that she made with the Dark Queen. “What if we hide her? Help her, like we did for Weiss and Blake?” Amber asked.

“I don’t think Salem will let that slide a second time. She let Weiss and Blake survive because they were both broken, Blake lost her eyes, and they lost their families. They were no longer a threat, and so long as they stayed here at the Farmstead they would stay safe. But Pyrrha? I don’t think so… and besides… she and I don’t exactly have the best history.” Cinder explained.

“W-Why?” Amber asked.

Cinder sighed and looked at her. “I tried to kill her.” Cinder revealed, Amber was no longer a little kid, and sometimes Cinder had to remind herself of that fact. Amber’s eyes widened, and it surprised Cinder when she was actually able to figure out when this must have happened.

“When you attacked Beacon, ten years ago?” Amber asked with a slight of shock in her voice. She knew her Mother-Figure had a dark past, it was something she accepted and never held against Cinder, because she was not that monster anymore – but it didn’t make it any less shocking whenever Cinder actually told her the dark truth of her past.

“Yeah… that’s right. After I killed the previous Fall Maiden for Salem and… took her power… Pyrrha tried to stop me. We fought, and I was about to kill her. Then Ruby saved her and used her Silver Eyes on me… and as you know – that was what happened to my eye.” Cinder explained, pointing to her eyepatch. Amber was quiet for a few moments; it was torturous for Cinder to wait to find out what she thought of her after finding this out. “So… what do you think of me now, Amber?” Cinder asked, staring out the window, constantly expecting to see the glints of flashlights in the trees.

Amber still remained quiet for a few moments, Cinder gently reached out and touched her little hand. But Amber didn’t pull away like she feared, she just shuffled up to Cinder and snuggled up to her, resting her head against Cinder’s chest. Cinder held her close, affectionately kissing the top of her head. “It’s okay… I don’t blame you. The past you? Yeah… but that isn’t who you are anymore.” Amber explained.

Relief flowed through Cinder like blood in her veins. “And that is why we cannot send her away.” Amber explained, but Cinder sighed.

“We can’t let her stay, sweetie.” She said. “This has nothing to do with me being good or bad…”

“Yes it does. We help people, it’s who we are.” Amber explained.

“Not for people like her – not for people who Salem will want.” Cinder explained. “I will not let Salem take you away from me. Not like how Lil Miss Malachite did… not again.”

“She won’t take me away from you. And if they do come then we hide her.” Amber stated.

“They won’t fall for that again.” Cinder stated.

“Then we fight them.” Amber swiftly responded, Cinder stared at her. “It’s like you said – we don’t back down from a fight.”

“It’s a fight we won’t be able to win… and we will lose everything.” Cinder explained.

“You don’t know that. But I do know that none of us could ever forgive ourselves if we leave her to die.” Amber explained, she hopped off Cinder’s bed and walked towards the door. “Especially you.”

Amber closed the door, leaving Cinder to ponder on what Amber just said to her. She clasped her hands together and tightened, squeezing her eyes shut.

She had to decide.

One way or another.

 

Pyrrha

 

Her eyes danced from side to side as she slept, and her nights were hardly peaceful anymore. She was always returning to that plain of darkness, where the water rippled beneath her feet. She looked around with fear and saw Jaune stood in the darkness. “Jaune!” She cried out, sprinting towards him, but as she nearly grabbed him, he screamed and suddenly fell through the water with a splash. She tried to dive down, but the water was shallow for her, and she watched in horror as the man she loved was dragged into the dark depths, fading away.

“JAUNE!” Pyrrha cried out, she broke down into tears, falling to her knees as she pounded her fist against the water.

“Love long lost, yet it feels so fresh for you. The cruel truth of your rebirth… how can you ever survive after losing something so precious?” The Brother of Darkness asked as he circled her, his hands held together.

Pyrrha felt a feeling she had not experienced in an exceptionally long time, desperation to the point where she only wanted one thing now.

"Please! I want to go home! I want to see my mother! I-I want my father! M-Mom, Mom! I want to go home, please!" She shrieked, burying her head into her hands.

"One harrowed day, even the sands of time will become immaterial, blackened to nothing but silt. And it ends. Like life. Like yours." Darkness stated as he walked around her, Pyrrha collapsed into the water, shivering as she sobbed, curling up into the foetal position.

Death approached her and crouched down, staring at her, she then opened her hands and saw the blood which stained it. Seeing in her reflection the face of the man that she murdered. Pyrrha screamed with terror, crawling backwards through the water. “GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” She screamed.

“Blood that cannot be unwashed. Life taken, but was it deserved?” He asked her as he walked beside her as she crawled through the water.

“Will you please just leave me alone?” She begged.

“This is not something we can do – you have a purpose in this life. Your return was not an act of kindness but merely necessity.” Darkness stated. “Now… stop wallowing in your own human pity… and WAKE UP!” He barked, Pyrrha gasped and her emerald eyes burst open as she gasped. Her sudden inhale woke both Weiss and Blake.

Night had fallen, she must have been out all day.

“Pyrrha…” Weiss softly whispered, she sat upright fast, but Weiss quickly kept the blanket wrapped around her frail looking body. “It’s okay, it’s okay… we’re here. It’s me and Blake… you remember us?” Weiss asked, she had no idea if she retained any memory whatsoever, a good thing to make clear from the get-go. Pyrrha stared at Weiss and Blake… her eyes widened with disbelief.

“Weiss? Blake?” She gasped. “You’re alive?”

Weiss couldn’t help but chuckle at that. “You’re saying that to us? You’re the one who died… I still don’t understand how you’re here.” Weiss stated as she stared at her. Pyrrha clutched the soft blanket against her naked chest as she sat upright.

“N-Neither do I, to be perfectly honest.” Pyrrha stammered, but then she looked at Blake again and she gasped when she saw the ribbon around her eyes, and the slight scarring that was visible. “Blake… your eyes…”

“Y-Yeah… you can thank Adam for that.” Blake softly said as she touched the ribbon, she did not remove it though. Pyrrha looked down at the blanket she held against her chest and she pushed her other hand through her long let down red hair.

“We found you washed up on the river. I… I didn’t really believe it was you at first, none of us did. It was only when we saw your scars and the fact you hadn’t even aged a day since… since what happened six years ago.” Weiss explained, Pyrrha touched her smooth skin on her arm. Weiss and Blake did indeed look a bit older, not by much – it was only six years after all – but she could tell time had passed.

“D-Did anyone else make it?” Pyrrha stammered.

“We… we don’t know? The last person we saw was Coco, but she managed to escape. We don’t know where Velvet and Fox are. And… Sun… and Neptune…” Weiss felt a lump form in her throat as she pictured his face. Pyrrha turned to the sketches on the wall that Oscar drew for Weiss of Neptune, the same for Blake with Sun. Pyrrha squeezed her teary eyes shut with grief for them.

“I’m so sorry.” She said to them both.

“It’s been six years… but it doesn’t hurt any less. I miss him so much.” Blake softly said as she touched her short black hair. Then Blake and Weiss realised… and they both stared at Pyrrha.

“Oh gods… I’m so sorry Pyrrha… it may have been six years for us… but for you…” Weiss realised with saddened eyes, and Pyrrha just lowered her head and nodded.

“He’s… he’s really gone…” She sniffled. Weiss stood up and gently wrapped her arms around Pyrrha, embracing her in a warm and supportive hug. Pyrrha rested her chin on Weiss’ shoulder and held her close. But Pyrrha fought back her emotions, trying to stay focused on something else. “I… I was in Vale… I woke up right where I died. The world… it’s so different now… so much worse… what happened?” Pyrrha asked, Weiss looked at Blake and they both sighed.

“Why don’t we… get you changed first? You need to eat and drink something.” Weiss suggested. Weiss stood up and she approached a dressing gown. She had some clothes sat on the table in the room, ones that belonged Blake since they were more the same size – roughly. Weiss gave Pyrrha her white Dressing Gown, it was extremely soft to wear, and she tightened it around her small body. Blake walked outside into the main room first whilst Weiss held Pyrrha’s hand to help her walk, she was so weak that she could barely walk.

Amber, Vernal and Oscar were sat down in the living room, but Cinder was nowhere to be seen as of yet. Weiss looked around and mouthed “Where is she?” and Amber was about to point… but it was too late.

“Alright, god the food done… oh fuck-a-doodle-doo…” Cinder groaned, because Pyrrha locked eyes with her.

“Language!” Amber squeaked.

“Oh gods, here we go, it’s about to kick off.” Oscar sighed, he stood up, ready to try and calm the situation down, but Pyrrha immediately freaked out and suddenly reached out with her polarity and launched a frying pan from the sink directly at Cinder. She dodged it by moving her head to the side but Pyrrha lunged forward, but was in no state to fight, despite how strong her spirit was.

“YOU GODDAMN MONSTER! THIS IS YOUR FAULT!” She screamed with anger.

“My fault? Do I look like an ageless pale skinned veiny red eyed bitch with a God-Complex as deep as Jacques Schnee’s Ego?” Cinder retorted, which gained a bewildered look from Amber.

“That’s an overly descriptive way of saying Salem.” Amber commented, in which Cinder just shrugged her shoulders.

“The hell is she doing here? She tried to kill us! She tried to kill me!” Pyrrha screamed.

“Yeah… TEN YEARS AGO. A lot happens and changes in that time, sweetheart.” Cinder stated, planting a hand on her hip. Pyrrha gritted her teeth whilst Weiss and Blake held her back.

“Pyrrha, calm down! She saved our lives, okay?” Weiss told her, Pyrrha stared at Weiss with confusion.

“She what?” Pyrrha stammered.

“When Beacon fell… we were gonna die out there, or be taken by that Abductor that was hunting us across Anima, remember that thing?” Weiss asked her.

“Y-Yeah…”

“Well, it was about to grab us when Cinder saved our asses. She didn’t have to take us in, but she did, and we have been grateful ever since. Believe me… I didn’t overly feel comfortable with living with her at first but… I could see that she had changed and wanted things to stay that way. We’ve been living here for the past six years.” Weiss explained.

“She helped treat my eyes as well, her and Vernal.” Blake explained.

“Yeah I was about to say – I was the one who had to patch up your messed-up eyes, remember?” Vernal commented.

“And Cinder was just gonna throw you out… but she changed her mind.” Weiss explained.

“Well… this little Hamster is the reason I changed my mind.” Cinder admitted, pointing with her thumb at Amber who was sat on the couch.

“Hamster?” Amber questioned.

“Yeah. You’re small, hyperactive and bite.” Cinder joked.

“I don’t bite.” Amber retorted, Cinder raised her eyebrow as a response. “Anymore…”

Pyrrha still panted with anger as she stared at Cinder, but she was no longer throwing frying pans at her face anymore. “Sit down… you have a lot to catch up on.” Oscar said to Pyrrha as he sat down on the floor, giving her his seat like a gentleman. Pyrrha walked with Blake over to the couch and she sat down, still wrapped up tight in Weiss’ soft dressing gown. Weiss sat down on the floor as well, laid across the floor with her elbow rested against the warm wooden floor.

“A lot has happened in the past six years… as you probably have already seen… the Age of Huntsmen and Huntresses is no more. People like you; Weiss and Blake are hunted down like dogs. Massive bounties are placed on any known survivors from the Inhumane Necessity, and you are executed… or tortured first before being killed. Salem has a very brutal regime now, basically one where no matter the crime it ends the same way – with death. It has worked, there is a lot less crime now… but gods was the method extreme.” Cinder explained as she held her hands together.

“I saw… I was in Vale; they executed a Huntsmen in the streets after they killed a bunch of thieves and rapist.” Pyrrha explained. “It was barbaric.”

“It’s the way things are now. Mind you anyone who gets fed to Grimm usually deserve it, its more the Gallows that tend to raise the most alarm bells for me.” Cinder explained.

“I saw Grimm patrolling the streets… protecting people…” Pyrrha added.

“Yeah – the Grimm are quite different now. They no longer attack people on sight or on the roads, Salem has changed the way they operate now. They are more like a military than wild animals. Mind you there are still ones out in the wilds but if they attack you it is because Salem commanded it.” Oscar explained.

“And now there are two major military powers. The Black Gallows – run by Killian. And the Feral Ones – run by Adam, after the White Fang were brought to their knees. There are pockets of the White Fang left, and some rumours of Sienna Khan still being alive, but outside of all that? The White Fang is hardly even a recognised name anymore. In Atlas… Watts has turned the Schnee Dust Company into his own mega business, no longer using slave labour and the Faunus Racism has plummeted massively – but the U.G.R are completely wiped out after what they did.” Vernal explained.

“They blamed the massacre of the U.G.R on both the Rogues and your team, Watts must have hacked into the security cameras and spliced footage of you fighting into the scene. It was done so flawlessly that nobody noticed the falsehood… or any who did mysteriously vanished, per the Black Gallows.” Oscar also explained.

“And Salem now has two Relics, Destruction and Choice. From what I have heard, she used Destruction on Beacon when she attacked six years ago, right?” Cinder asked.

“I… I think so.” Pyrrha stammered.

“You’d know, it causes unquantifiable levels of destruction with one swing, if the swinger demands it.” Cinder assured.

“O-Okay that sounds pretty familiar.” She stammered, remembering the fiery pulse created when she drove the sword into the stage on that night. The pulse killed most of them.

“All the Academies are gone, just ruins like Beacon. Including the Combat Schools like Signal and Sanctum. And… Salem pretty much rules the whole planet now, with her little Children helping her keep the peace.” Cinder concluded.

Pyrrha was quiet for a few moments as she looked at the mug of coffee in her hands that Vernal made her, she stared down at her own face in the reflection. “So… you all caught up?” Cinder asked.

“W-What… what happened to Jaune? Sun? Neptune? Everyone after the explosion?” Pyrrha asked.

“You know what happened…” Cinder sighed.

“Tell. Me.” Pyrrha demanded, staring at Cinder, the Fall Maiden sighed and looked at Weiss and Blake for their permission. Cinder was about to say it when Blake interrupted instead.

“I’ll tell you… Weiss told me, after all. Salem was going for Jaune… but Jaune was mortally wounded, was attacked by an Ursa Major. He knew there was no way out, but he also knew Salem was coming for him… and he remembered about the bombs that Jackdaw had laced into the concrete used to repair the Academy after the first battle. So he used his scroll and sent out a message to someone… and the signal detonated the bombs. He gave his life heroically to stop Salem from taking him… but… the blast didn’t do anything to Salem.” Blake explained. Pyrrha remembered that… part of her just needed to hear it from someone else, just to make sure it wasn’t some cruel nightmare. It made her feel sick… but she continued to listen. “When Adam cut out my eyes, Sun came to save me, and he held his own against Adam for a while but was beaten. But he still managed to blow off his legs with his Gunchucks… but Salem grew back new… Grimm Legs… to replace them. The last we saw of Sun was Adam stood above him… I know Adam better than most… he wouldn’t have let him live…” She tearfully admitted.

“And… Neptune was caught in the blast. Alongside the rest of Team S.S.S.N… all we found was their broken weapons and blood on the ground, and rubble everywhere.” Weiss explained, they both wiped tears from their eyes. “That was when we had to run… or we would die as well. That’s when Cinder found us.” She looked at the Fall Maiden who nodded her head.

Pyrrha remained still, staring at herself again in the reflection of the steaming coffee. “So… what do you think?” Vernal asked her, Pyrrha didn’t even know where to begin with that question.

What do I think?

The love of my life is gone, the world I knew is gone, and the world believes I am dead.

Everything is wrong… that’s what I think…

Pyrrha stayed quiet for a few moments longer before she answered. “I… don’t know…” Pyrrha softly said to them.

“It’s a lot to digest…” Cinder stated. “Try to sleep on it, okay? Blake and Weiss have agreed to spend the night with you, to help you feel comfortable.” Cinder said, she stood up and walked towards the kitchen and stopped, looking back at Pyrrha. “And so long as you follow my conditions… I will let you stay. But I swear… if this bites me in the ass… you’ll regret it.” Cinder assured, walking into the kitchen.

Pyrrha nodded her head gently, and she walked towards Weiss’ Room with Weiss and Blake. Amber sat with Vernal and Oscar and she sighed.

“Poor Pyrrha… I can’t imagine how it feels to be in her position.” She stated.

“Let’s pray we never will.” Oscar said. He stood up and walked past a mirror, he stopped for a brief moment.

Who was… that?

He stared at his reflection for a few seconds longer before he narrowed his eyes and kept on walking, ignoring his own confusion.

 

Black Thorn

 

A kettle shrieked inside of an Apartment Building in the Free City of Argus…

The window was open as the cool air flowed inside, alongside icy cold rain falling against the pains. The sound of bells and seagulls could be heard from here, as ships docked at the harbour.

She walked slowly through the Apartment, holding a pair of Volcanic Pistols which had transformed into their second form – a pair of small Scythes, that were coloured black and red. Her jet-black cape and hood flowed in the draft from the windows, with small red petals changing the mainly black style of the cape. She pulled her hood down, revealing her face six years later – none other than Ruby Rose.

She calmly looked around, as the Relic of Knowledge danged from her belt, hidden behind her cape. She walked through the Apartment, and she was not alone, with Yang in tow. She also had a hood, a dark gold colour and cloak around her clothes. She had a brand-new cybernetic arm, not as well made as her old one that Pietro made her, thanks to Ironwood, but it still operated the same.

Yang’s hair was died brunette, hiding the original golden blonde she normally had. They had each other’s backs as they searched through the building together, they were looking for something… or someone. Ruby looked through the many magazines that were stacked on the counter, all of them surrounding stories about the Huntresses of Old. And Ruby had been circled in them all – it seemed someone was looking for her.

Yang crouched down by a mattress on the floor, and she pressed her hand against it, it felt warm still. “Ruby…” Yang whispered.

“Yeah?” Ruby whispered back.

“She was here.” Yang assured. “Recently.”

“Come on… where are you?” Ruby softly said, a slight tremble in her voice. They ducked down as a Black Gallows Drone hovered outside of the windows, they were all over the place, searching for people.

Ruby then heard the floorboards creak behind her, and she spun around, drawing her new weapons – named Black Thorn. Her Volcanic Pistols aimed at her target, but she quickly lowered them, feeling her heart flutter with joy when she saw her.

“Penny…” Ruby gasped, seeing Penny stood at the other side. She looked savagely beaten and weathered from surviving on her own.

“It’s… it’s good to see you again, Ruby.” She sweetly said to her, and Ruby smiled.

“Are you okay?” Ruby nervously asked her as she approached.

“W-Wait… stay back…” She stammered. “I… I don’t wanna hurt you again…” Penny stammered.

“Don’t worry, I trust you Penny. You’re one of the few people in the world I trust anymore…” Ruby softly said as she approached her.

“I…” Penny nervously said.

“This isn’t like Kuchinashi. You’re safe… and we’re gonna take you back home, okay?” Ruby softly said, she then gently held her hands. Ruby then looped one hand behind her neck, and pulled her close, kissing her affectionately on the lips. Penny melted into her embrace, returning the kiss as she held her tight. Yang smiled happily to see them together again, it had been a few months after what happened in Kuchinashi.

Their kiss broke, and they pressed their heads together lovingly, gazing into each other’s eyes. “Never do that to me again…” Ruby begged her.

“I-I’m sorry, I promise…” She whispered.

“We’re gonna get what Watts put in your head out of you… I promise.” Ruby assured.

“O-Okay.” Penny stammered, flustered from having her girlfriend back once more.

Ruby hears her comm link suddenly connect, and her silver eyes widened. “They’re onto you Ruby, they’re heading towards the building.” Ren warned, watching from somewhere.

“Do you want us to come and stop them?” Nora asked.

“No… we’ll try and sneak our way out.” Ruby assured. “But be ready.”

“You got it.” Nora assured, sounding excited.

Ruby looked back at Penny. “Do you still have it?” Ruby asked her, and Penny smiled, revealing the dark green cape and hood that Ruby made her. She pulled her hood up and wrapped herself up in the cloak. Ruby affectionately held her hand, and Yang pressed her ear to the wall, hearing the Black Gallows soldiers charging up the stairs.

“They’re coming, let’s go.” Yang whispered, opening the window and sliding down the gutter. Ruby and Penny followed just in time as the Black Gallows Stockholm Troopers blasted the door open, searching for them.

They stuck to the shadows, hearing the many vehicles and soldiers in the area.

“Let’s do this, Team Rogues.” Ruby said.

 

 

Chapter 5: Hunt or be Hunted

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

The dropped down from the open window, using the tall bushes as cover as the Black Gallows started to converge on their position. They busted the doors open with rifles raised, alongside Grimm that followed them inside, snarling at the civilians that were in their way. The civilians yelped with fear as the Grimm and Black Gallows searched for them.

“Check all the floors, find them.” The Stockholm Trooper commanded, like always – their voices were always distorted by their helmets. Penny stayed close to Ruby, and her girlfriend held Black Thorn tight, ready to use them if the situation ever demanded it. Yang was at the front, looking through her hood as she approached the edge of the tall bushes, slowly and carefully opening them with her hands. She peered through, looking around. Rainwater was beginning to fall around them, quickly pattering against their hoods.

“Come on, we’re clear.” Yang whispered, she rolled across the open alley, and took cover behind a dumpster. Ruby and Penny stayed close to them.

“Nora? Ren? How are you guys doing?” Ruby whispered into her scroll on her wrist.

“Keeping our heads down, hopefully things don’t get too dicey.” Ren answered.

“Any dicier.” Nora added.

“Keep us posted.” Ruby replied. She looked around as they watched the streets, there were Black Gallows soldiers everywhere, armed to the teeth. Huge, armoured vehicles tore through the roads, sirens wailed as they arrived at the Apartment Block where they got spotted.

“They really have been upping their security everywhere, haven’t they?” Ruby said to them.

“Ever since Kuchinashi…” Penny answered.

“Hey, don’t think about that. Let’s just get you out of here, okay?” Ruby asked her, gently holding her hands. Penny smiled and nodded her head. Yang clenched her fists as a Black Gallows soldier approached the bushes that they were hiding in. As he passed by, Yang swiftly jumped up and grappled the soldier and snapped his neck. His life ended in an instant and she hid him in the plants. Penny stared at his dead body with shock in her green eyes, but she felt Ruby hold her hand.

“C’mon… we need to keep moving.” Ruby whispered, and Penny shook it off. Seeing people dead… it never did sit right with Penny. But Ruby and Yang seemed to have gotten cold to the very act of killing people. They were not the same people that they once were, the world had hardened them. They waited as a large congregation of people walked across the street.

“Okay… remember… keep your heads low and hoods up and act natural. We just need to get to the walls of the city; our truck is waiting for us over there.” Yang told Penny.

“O-Okay…” Penny stammered.

“Three… two… one.” Ruby counted down, then they swiftly emerged from the bushes, walking out into the streets and joining the crowd. Ruby hid her weapons in her cloak, and Yang kept her arm and Ember Celica hidden that way as well. Penny kept her head low, not wanting to reveal herself, and hiding the external damage done to her synthetic body.

They walked amongst the innocents, glancing at the sheer size of the Military Force in the city. There were Airships searching every inch of it, shining pillars of light down from their snouts.

They really haven’t given up after we snatched the Relic from Salem, have they?

Ruby kept on moving, following the crowds which were luckily heading in the right direction for the moment, the southern side of the city, towards the large walls which protected them from the wilds. Yang carefully watched everyone that surrounded them, they knew that anybody could recognise them in a split second, so she kept Ember Celica primed if the need arisen.

Ruby watched as Drones hovered across the street, powerful thrusters kept them afloat as they scanned the area, searching for them. They kept their heads down so then its Facial Recognition Scanners could not identify them. They were not the only automated forces that patrolled, they watched as they saw other hooded individuals being forced up against a wall by Trojan Droids. They were vastly different to the Atlesian Knights, far bulkier with glowing red optics, and armed to the teeth. They pulled their hoods down and scanned their faces, only to find that they were not the targets that they were searching for.

“Crap… we need to keep moving and stay away from those Droids.” Ruby whispered. They kept moving forward, and Penny turned to see the holographic Wanted Posters on the walls that still had their names splayed across them.

Ruby Rose – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Yang Xiao Long – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Lie Ren – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Nora Valkyrie – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Eryka Vasillias – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Winter Schnee – Wanted Dead or Alive for Fifteen Million Lien

Penny Polendina – Wanted Dead or Alive For Fifteen Million Lien

It was very evident that Watts had added both Winter and Penny to his list of individuals he wanted eliminated once and for all. Penny looked ahead, seeing the Black Gallows soldiers tarting to walk up to multiple civilians, checking them for their identities, and pulling down the hoods of anyone in their way.

“Uh-Oh…” Penny gasped.

“This way.” Ruby whispered, the three of them left the crowd and went into one of the open buildings. They ducked down, hearing the soldiers searching for them.

“There are High Value Targets in the city! If you spot these individuals, please inform the nearest Black Gallows Operative or Trojan! The Kill Order Rewards are still on offer!” A Spokeswoman called out as she walked around with the soldiers. There had been more and more of these Spokesmen and Spokeswomen over the years, they were helping spread the word so then they could track down the surviving Huntsmen and Huntresses from the Inhumane Necessity.

When the entire world is on your side, finding these criminals would become amazingly easy with eyes and ears around every corner. And when there is Fifteen Million Lien per head on the line? Anybody would be willing to drop their Moral High Grounds so then they could get that money. This world has really tested some people on the morality of – How much is a life worth?

Apparently fifteen million lien…

Ruby slowly crept forward, and she slowly opened one of the doors, seeing one of the Black Gallows soldiers outside. He suddenly approached the door and Ruby stepped aside as he opened it. As the door closed, Ruby swiftly hooked Black Thorn’s Curved Blade around his throat and slit his throat. He gasped and choked on his own blood as Ruby carefully lowered him down to the ground.

Ruby had no sympathy left for the Black Gallows; they were responsible for the deaths of so many brave people… so many of her friends.

Ruby dragged his body into the shadows, and she peeked through the gap in the door, watching as some civilians got lined up… and shot to death. She gasped as she stepped aside. “The fuck?” Yang gasped.

“Criminals… looks like them being on high alert is making life for those who break the law even harder now.” Ruby softly said.

“It’s not gonna be easy getting out of here quietly, is it?” Yang asked her sister.

“Probably not… but we’ve gotta try. We can’t get through a force like this on our own… not without one big distraction.” Ruby said.

“Any ideas?” Yang asked.

“I’m thinking… might have something good. You know me.” Ruby said.

“Oh do I?” Yang chuckled, making Ruby smirk.

Suddenly the door to the bathroom opened and man stared at them, his eyes widened. He was about to yell until Yang knocked him unconscious with one hard punch, she caught his body before he crashed to the ground. She gently laid him on the floor and sighed. “Sorry, dude…” Yang apologised. Ruby waited as the Raven Talons left the dead criminals where they fell, and scavengers already ran to their bodies. Little Grimm started to eat at their flesh where they fell. Until suddenly a Nevermore descended and picked up one of the corpses and carried it off, alongside three more Griffins which followed, snapping them up.

The tiny Grimm Scavengers simply fled, not wanting any part of being out in the open. But luckily the path was clear. “C’mon.” Ruby whispered. They crouched low and quickly snuck towards the shadows, watching the soldiers as they marched through the streets.

Tanks patrolled the roads, armed to the teeth and there were even Warships docked in the Harbour alongside multiple other Freighters that were arriving from Atlas to deliver their cargo. Huge cranes lifted the S.D.C Containers and carried them over to the loading bays. They passed by a playground where kids where happily enjoying themselves, sat on swings and playing in the puddles together. They kept out of their line of sight as they stuck to the shadows, and then they returned to the streets, using their disguises to their advantage.

They walked calmly with their hoods up and cloaks around their bodies. Ruby clutched Penny’s hand, and they stayed close together. They were now in the centre of Argus; they had a ways to go before they could get to the walls at the back. Ruby watched as a Paladin marched across the road, heavily armed with teeth as it patrolled, keeping an eye out for anything out of the ordinary. Black Gallows Wasp Airships flew overhead, their long triangular rear wings opened as they decelerated, using the drag of the wind.

“Just stay calm…” Ruby whispered.

But as they walked onward, suddenly there was another loud gunshot, but this one was right in front of them. They shot someone with a hooded head, directly in the face, then they pulled the hood off their corpse. He chuckled as he stood by his body, staring down at him. “We know there are Huntsmen and Huntresses hiding in this city… or at least Huntresses. We already got a report of three of our targets being spotted a few moments ago. Now I did not want to do that… but we are not taking any chances. Anybody with hoods pulled up are potential targets – he refused to drop his, and now paid the price.”

He had Black Gallows soldiers with him, but he lacked their uniform and… discipline. It became evident right away who this man was – judging by the Curved Horns that protruded from his forehead and the cobbled together armour? He was a Feral One, most likely a Highwayman. The Black Gallows and the Feral Ones both served Salem and had been working together ever since Adam Taurus joined the Children of Salem.

“Find me all the Hooded Cowards and bring them forward.” The Feral One commanded, the Raven Talons suddenly rushed into the crowd, grabbing multiple individuals – including Ruby, Yang and Penny. They forced them forward, and everyone kept their heads low, refusing to look at him. The Feral One paced around as he brandished his pistol. “Pull back your hoods… if you have nothing to hide then you have nothing to fear.” The Feral One explained.

Ruby looked at some of the hooded figures… and one of them was shockingly recognisable.

It was Arslan… the last surviving member of Team A.B.R.N… she had been hunted for years, but recently the run-ins were becoming more and more frequent. And judging by the scars and bruises, she had gotten into many fights recently. Not a good way to keep a low profile, but when people are hunting you, it is hard to keep your head low when you look so recognisable.

Some of the people lowered their hoods, and he looked at each of them. They scanned them, three of them were innocent but two had Criminal Charges, one for Thievery, the other was for Forgery. “Aw… what a shame.” The Feral One sighed, the two Black Gallows soldiers behind them drew their guns.

“Wait! No!” One of them begged, but their lives were cut short by a pair of deafening gunshots. People yelped with fear as they heard them, and some people even looked away. Their bodies crumpled to the ground, twitching slightly as blood leaked from the holes in their faces.

“Come on, the rest of you! Pull those hoods down or you end up like this dumb innocent fool behind me.” The Feral One ordered as he paced back and forth. Some of the people dropped their hoods one at a time.

“W-Why are you doing this?” A man asked nervously, and the Feral One stared at him.

“Sorry?” He asked.

“I-I mean… all the soldiers here? You’re not just after some… random Huntresses or Huntsmen, are you? I mean you guys are everywhere… more than usual. Why? Is it some really bad one?” He asked nervously, and the Feral One chuckled.

“Good question, sir.” The Feral One said, tapping his pistol against his hip. “We are, indeed, after some extremely dangerous fugitives. We nearly had them in our custody six years ago, but they slaughtered our people…” He explained – it truly showed how woven the Feral Ones and the Black Gallows had become, when they referred to each other as the same entity. “I read the reports… saw what was left of the bodies.” He said.

Ruby clenched her hand into a fist.

That wasn’t us… it was Valravn…

“We are looking for the Rogues of Beacon Academy. We know at the very least that Ruby Rose and Yang Xiao Long are here… they have very recognisable faces.” He said as he paced back and forth. The man shook as he stood there and the Feral One gently placed his hand on his shoulder. “Tell me… do you know of their whereabouts?”

“N-No… I don’t… but I know of someone else.” He revealed, and the Feral One raised a brow.

“Who?” He asked.

“Arslan Atlan, of Team A.B.R.N.” He revealed, and he turned and pointed directly at her.

“You Son of a Bitch!” Arslan yelled as she lunged towards him, until suddenly one of the Raven Talons fired an Electrified Cable around her, shocking her relentlessly until her aura broke. She growled, restrained in place by the voltage, and the Feral One approached Arslan, staring her down.

“Well, well… the leader of the extinct team… we’ve been nipping at your heels for some time.” The Feral One whispered.

“Go… to… hell.” She snarled.

“I probably will some day… but I will enjoy this hobby before I get there.” He replied, suddenly pointing his gun against her head and pulling the trigger. Penny flinched, looking away, whereas Ruby and Yang did not even move. They just stared down at the floor as they heard the shot. Arslan collapsed to the ground as he holstered his pistol. But as he walked away from her body – he stared at the three of them.

The last three who had not pulled down their hoods – Ruby, Yang and Penny. The three of them knew they were about to be compromised as he approached. “Well, well… what do we have here? The Three Musketeers who refuse to lower their hoods? What have you got to hide?” The Feral One asked Ruby – without realising it was her.

Ruby slowly lifted her head, revealing her glowing silver eyes, the Feral One gasped. Ruby suddenly spun around and slashed Black Thorn across the throats of the two soldiers behind her, both Penny and Yang ducked together. The two of them also threw their hoods back and formed their weapons as they stood beside Ruby. Floating Array rotated behind Penny as she stood by her girlfriend and Yang raised his fists.

Ruby stared at the Feral One, and the rain fell harder and harder, dripping off her spiked hair, she narrowed her silver eyes at him, blood falling from her Volcanic Scythes. “Ruby Rose herself…” He chuckled.

“Surprised?” Ruby asked.

“Surprised you’d be so ballsy… you’re outnumbered sweetheart. Outgunned.” He said with a grin, unaware of the Altum Eagle that just screeched and circled overhead. And the flash pink lightning that grew in the clouds behind him. Ruby smirked at him, and he raised a brow

“Outnumbered? Sure… but hardly outgunned.” She stated.

The Altum Eagle descended, and flew directly towards them, and then an arrow flew underneath him, and his talons grasped it. Suddenly his aura erupted outwards into a massive burning Phoenix, roaring as he flew towards them. The ground burned beneath him, and the Black Gallows soldiers screamed as they dove out of his path.

Out of Dulcis’ Path.

He banked across the sky and the flames died down, and he landed onto the shoulder of Eryka Vasillias. She now had a Short Sword sheathed on her back, and she drew Constantine Damascus. “Guess who’s back, assholes?” Eryka cheered, with Winter sliding across the watery slope towards them freezing it beneath her. The Feral One spun around and he gasped as he saw the crackling pink lightning.

She jumped off the hill and she spun through the air, glowing with pink energy and her eyes bright pink as well. She held her huge Axe – Stormur Skeggox over her head and screeched. “SMAAAASH!” Nora cheered, and drove the axe down the face of the Feral One, burning him to dust from how cataclysmic the explosion was. The ground rippled and cracked, throwing chunks high into the sky, chunks that Lie Ren bounced across and dove down, firing the blades of Stormflower towards one of the Raven Talons, they punctured into his chest and he used the cables to pull himself towards the soldier fast, smashing him against the ground.

Ren stood back to back with his newly married wife. “You always book us the best honeymoons!” Nora squeaked.

“I guess it’s fitting for us.” Ren chuckled.

He wore a sleeveless turtleneck dark green top, long white sleeves underneath, black half of a jacket and arm guard combination on his right arm with his father's dagger attached it, a single detached long black fingerless glove on his left arm, and black leather boots. His hair was also long and braided into a tail. Nora also had a new outfit and look, her ginger hair was now far longer, reaching down to the middle of her back, and had multiple braids tied inside of her locks. She had a dark grey fluffy collar around her neck and wore a cloak that covered one half of her body, shielding one of her arms. She held Stormur Skeggox in the other hand, and then she flicked her cloak backwards, revealing her other arm which held a brand new – secondary – weapon she crafted.

Named Magni, it echoed Magnhild in a simple way, for it was a small handled hammer, which had a huge head of solid metal attacked, with Lightning Dust loaded into it. It electrified the entire weapon, charging Nora up once more. However it was clear that her power did have side effects… and they could be seen on her neck and her sleeveless arm. She had electrical scarring covering her arms, torso and neck… and the scars would light up pink now whenever she used her power.

Of course… knowing Nora… that did not bother her one bit – in fact – she loved it.

She still had her pinks and blues in her outfit however it was primarily a darker grey, with metal armour plated around her torso. Norse markings carved across her armour alongside some of the fabrics had them on there as well.

Winter slashed her sword through one of the Trojan Droids, blowing it to pieces, and there was evidently a big difference on her face now. She had let her hair down, and it was wavy as well. But on the side of her neck and reaching as high as her lower cheek were some intense burn marks, leaving recognisable scars. Winter wore a white collared undershirt, a necktie that connected to her new brooch, and a girdle underneath the lapels of her coat. She had navy blue gloves and pants and sported a Dust pouch around her waist. Clad with two red-and-black pauldrons on her arms as well, alongside a couple other pieces of armour of the same colour scheme in different areas, primarily her legs.

Eryka’s blue hair was slightly longer now, however it was still in the same style as it always was, but her outfit had changed as well. She sprinted towards a Black Gallows soldier and fired Constantine Damascus at him, and the arrow punctured his shoulder. The Ebony Sabre grunted and suddenly blasted a flamethrower from the forearm of the mechanised suit. Eryka gasped, and she performed a backflip, however the flames caught onto the beige and red poncho she was wearing, setting it alight. She threw it off and sighed sadly.

“My poncho…” She pouted, before glaring at the Heavy Weapons Soldier aiming his machine gun at her.

Eryka’s attire had changed, she now sported a dark purple short jacket alongside a midriff showing bodywarmer underneath. Her right arm was clad in black and bronze vambraces and shoulder plate, including a purple and black glove with grips on the palm and sharp feline-clawed nails on the fingers. Her left had no armour on it, and she had the lighter purple sleeve pulled up, alongside a fingerless glove for nocking arrows. She also wore a long lilac scarf around her neck which blew in the wind, and had a backpack clipped onto her.

She also wore armoured beige and black leggings and long heeled boots, where her Quiver was horizontally attached, and her Shortsword was diagonally slung over her back so she could easily draw it.

The Ebony Sabre rushed Eryka, who rolled under the fist and then drew her Shortsword – aptly named Slice n’ Dice. The blade channelled fire dust across the razor-sharp edge, and she slashed the pistons in the back of the suit’s knee. The soldier roared and crashed to one leg, then Eryka jumped and held onto his back. He reared back and fired the machine gun up at the sky in a fit of berserk rage, but Eryka took her sword and she drove it down the back of the suit’s neck, killing him instantly.

She jumped off and rolled across the floor, pulling the bowstring of Constantine Damascus back and firing the arrow towards an Onyx Consul atop a rooftop, nailing the Marksman in the eye. He plummeted into the round with a crunchy bang, then Winter stood beside her and smirked. “So you were listening to my lessons?” Winter gasped.

“I guess it was your sexy new hair.” Eryka teased, making Winter roll her eyes and blush.

Winter blasted up into the air with her Glyphs and she summoned a Manticore and flew directly towards the Wasp that was rushing towards their position. She jumped off the Manticore and drove her sword straight into the Wasp’s cockpit. It started to spin out of control as the pilot’s corpse slumped onto the sticks. But Winter then proceeded to summon a Nevermore, using its powerful talons and digging them into the hull. The Nevermore flapped its wings as hard as it could, carefully placing the Wasp down on the ground before it was blow up, and she blasted ice into the fuel cells to cut them off.

They did not want to hurt any innocent lives.

Winter looked across the street where innocents were fleeing, and more Black Gallows were on the way. Sirens wailed everywhere, and Grimm were coming as well, but Nora was helping clear a path. A large pack of Grimm came charging towards them alongside the Black Gallows soldiers. Nora sprinted ahead, and then threw Magni hard, and the hammer flew directly into the chest of a Beowulf, crushing its ribcage instantly.

Nora’s gloves had Gravity Dust woven into the fabric, and she used that to her advantage, connecting it to the dust in the grip of Magni and it came flying right back into her palm. The hammer created a loud whistling hum as it flew through the air. Nora then squeezed the handle, and the electrical dust activated, coursing through her scars and causing her eyes to light up. Nora smashed the hammer across the face of a Creep, so hard its bony head was blown to pieces. She then slashed Stormur Skeggox through the head of a Beowulf and threw the huge axe, blasting the jets on the back of it repeatedly. It spun around her as the Beowulves rushed at her, and they were all cut down and reduced to smoke.

As Stormur Skeggox spun around her repeatedly, killing anything that got too close, Nora walked forward, smashing the ground with Magni and blasting lightning through the tarmac towards an Ursa. She then threw Magni towards it and the hammer went straight through its chest. Nora caught Stormur Skeggox out of the air and spun it through her fingers, jumping high in the air as a pack of Sabyrs converged on her. But she slammed Stormur Skeggox into the ground with all her might, killing them all in a burst of lightning.

Nora held out her hand, pulling Magni right back and she grinned, feeling the heal hiss off her scars and she looked at Ren. “We can never do things quietly, can we?” Nora asked him.

Ren fired Stormflower and hit one of the Raven Talon soldiers in the chest, knocking him over. “Where’s the fun in that?” Ren replied with a grin, he then scratched his black stubble as he saw more enemies approach. He spun Stormflower through his fingers and narrowed his eyes before he fired the blades of Stormflower towards the Raven Talons and he shot forward. He slammed both feet into the head of the soldier he hit with the blades before they retracted back to where they were. He rolled and avoided the Electrified Cable that the other Raven Talon fired at him.

He blasted his dual pistols at the Raven Talon who formed a Hardlight Barrier with the tech in his forearm, pushing forward. That was when Ren rushed forward and slid underneath the shield and shot up his back. He then rose back up to see an Ursa roar as take a swipe at him. He cartwheeled backwards, and then fired Stormflower into the face of the beast. The green bullets cracked areas of the bone armour and sliced up parts of its head. However the Ursine Grimm still roared and charged towards him.

Ren raised his pistols, then ducked under the paw of the beast and sliced the blades across its armpit, crippling the whole arm, before he jumped onto its back and dug the blades into its black furry throat. The Ursa roared as it stumbled around, then Ren drew Li’s Knife and spun it through his fingers and sank it directly through the roof of its skull, killing it instantly. Ren jumped off and landed, sheathing the knife back onto his shoulder. He crouched down to his weapons on the ground, and Nora skipped over to him.

Penny flew up into the air as the Grimm surrounded her, Griffins screeched as they assisted the Black Gallows in trying to kill the Fugitives. They slashed their claws at Penny, but she blocked them with Floating Array. As one dove down towards her, Penny narrowed her green eyes, and she launched her swords upwards and they stabbed into the body of the beast. Penny threw them down to the ground, then blasted beams of green energy from the others that floated around her. The Griffins roared and were knocked out of the sky one by one by her lasers.

Penny used her thrusters to her advantage, dodging incoming Grimm at every turn, until suddenly a rock smashed into her. She fell from the sky and tumbled into the road, and a car smashed into her. She yelped in pain, feeling coolant leaking from a damaged internal. She stared at her side and groaned. “I… just fixed that.” She complained, the damage was minor, merely a small component that helped her body run. She turned and saw what threw the boulder, and she saw a Beringel howl, pounding its chest repeatedly. But this Beringel was different… it had large Bat Wings that sprouted from its back.

The Flying Beringel snarled as it flew towards her and swing its massive fist at her face. But Penny dropped down and rolled across the ground, sending her swords forward and stabbing them into the armoured back of the beast. The Beringel growled and reached back to grab onto the cables. Penny gasped, suddenly being thrown across the road by the Beringel and crashing directly into a library.

Penny stood up, with a book flopped on her head. She looked at it and she gasped. “Romance? I love romance!” She squeaked, before seeing everyone staring at her. “Oh, I’m sorry. It’s a library, I’ll be quiet.” She whispered with a cute smile, clutching the book close, until the Beringel suddenly grabbed her again, yanking her out of the library, leaving the astounded readers inside.

“The hell just happened?” A man questioned loudly.

“SSH!” The Librarian hissed.

Outside, the Beringel smashed Penny down against the ground, roaring foully in her face before bringing both its fists down towards her. Penny thrusted both her fists forward, blasting a powerful beam of green light from Floating Array into the chest of the Beringel, killing it instantly. Penny winced, standing back up. That used up a lot of her combat energy, and she held her side as her coolant tank continued to leak. If she didn’t get that fixed soon, she would begin to overheat and that could cause her to shut down.

Ruby and Yang fought together against the Black Gallows, and Ruby slid underneath the leg of one soldier, cutting his leg clean off with Black Thorn. He yelled in pain, before turning to anger to try and shoot her with his Electrified Cable, only for Ruby to point the other Scythe at him. The curved blade folded back into the barrel of her Volcanic Pistol and shot him point blank in the head. Ruby shot forward in a flurry of petals as she approached more Black Gallows soldiers that exited their truck. She drove both her Scythes into the chest of a Sable Guard, pinning him to the door.

Ruby then spun around with her long slender leg and kicked another soldier across the helmet so hard that the red visor cracked. However that did not stop the Sable Guard from fighting, and he drew his Electrified Baton, swinging it at her over and over again. Ruby dodged and ducked each swing made, before jumping up and wrapping her legs around his head. She then slammed herself down against the ground, throwing the soldier across the floor ahead of her. She rose up once more and ripped her Scythes from the dead soldier and the door he was pinned to.

She transformed the Scythes back into their Volcanic Pistol Forms, and she fired them repeatedly, multiple loud cracks echoed across the city before she finished him off with one shot to the head. That was when suddenly a Shadow Dagger Trooper shot towards her and slashed her blades across Ruby’s chest. She tumbled backwards but used her Scythes to steady herself, seeing the quick soldier suddenly charge towards her, firing her Machine Pistols at her. Ruby could no longer use Crescent Rose to block bullets, since it was destroyed back in the Atlesian Wildlands, and was still there even now, most likely covered in rust.

Ruby rolled out of the way and was having to rely on her speed more than anything. The Shadow Dagger launched herself towards Ruby, they had two long blades attached to both arms, and they cut and slashed them with shocking precision. Ruby used Black Thorn to block and counter the incoming strikes, before digging the blade into the shoulder of the Shadow Dagger and rolling over her shoulder. The Soldier screamed in pain as the Scythe carved a deep wound into her, but as she spun around, Ruby suddenly launched forward in a blast of petals

She slashed her blades straight through the Shadow Dagger’s neck, cutting her head clean off her shoulders. Ruby slid past, with a splatter of red blood across her cheek, teeth gritted.

Yang too had a new outfit, unlike before. She wore her brunette hair, which was already growing the blonde back, in a long and beautiful ponytail. Underneath her cloak and hood was a bomber jacket with a fluffy white collar, and she wore a dark purple crop-top underneath, showing her mid-riff. She also wore fitted black trousers with dark brown zip-up boots with a purple sash around her right hip.

She repeatedly punched the Ebony Sabre she was battling against in the face, knocking him backwards, before he suddenly lunged towards her with a long-extended blade. Yang shot aside with the recoil of Ember Celica before grabbing onto the blade and snapping it with her new Cybernetic Arm. The blade rang out, and both halves clattered against the ground. The Ebony Sabre punched at her, but Yang flipped backwards and fired multiple screeching missiles towards it. They exploded against the Ebony Sabre’s chest, causing it to stumble backwards once more.

Yang fired herself forward with Ember Celica like a Rocket, grabbing the jaw of the huge soldier and slamming him down against the ground with all her might. She then punched her fist into the helmet, and with the metal hand she ripped open the helmet. She pointed her Shotgun at their face, and they gritted their teeth with anger, suddenly opening the compromised suit and kicking Yang in the chest. She rolled off the Ebony Sabre and then the soldier drew his pistol and shot at her repeatedly, Yang raised her metal arm, using it to block the bullets, before she rushed forward and swiped her leg across his, knocking him over. And as he fell, Yang swung her metal fist downwards towards his face.

The last thing he saw before being knocked out was Yang’s smile – and her winking at him. She pummelled his face so hard he was instantly unconscious and flopped on the floor in a very awkward position. “Ouch… that’s gonna hurt when he wakes up.” She chuckled.

They all came together, and they looked around. “I think we’ve got some time, but they’ll be on us soon.” Winter said as she kept her sword at the ready.

“Any ideas?” Eryka asked.

Ruby heard a monstrous roar from the Docks, and she turned her gaze. There was a Leviathan rising from the depths of the Ocean and it was arriving at Vale. But it was not attacking, it was acting as a Guardian for the S.D.C Shipping Freighters to arrive without Pirates attacking them. She stared at the beast and narrowed her silver eyes.

“Just one…” Ruby said. “All of you go, they definitely will be distracted from what I’m about to do.”

“Ruby?” Penny softly worried as she approached her, but Ruby gently held the back of her head and pulled her close, kissing her lovingly.

“You know me… I’ll be right back.” Ruby promised, and Penny held her close, and then nodded her head.

Ruby looked at Yang, and her sister nodded. “C’mon Penny. We need to get you to the walls, and we need to be careful.”

Ruby turned and stared at the Leviathan. “Come on, you son of a bitch.” She softly said, and then she shot through the roads in a flurry of petals, and she rushed her way all the way down to the docks. She was winded when she finally got there, and she took cover behind some of the crates that were delivered.

She watched the Sable Guards who patrolled the area with some of the Raven Talons. But as the Leviathan stood in the water, she noticed something else. There was a Seer here as well. The Seer Approached the Obsidian Glaive – a Black Gallows Huntsmen or Huntress. Salem’s face appeared on the Domed Head of the Seer. “Have you apprehended or killed Ruby Rose?” Salem questioned, and Ruby could not help but smirk.

“Well… I guess I really am number one on your shitlist, huh Salem?” Ruby muttered to herself. Part of her was genuinely honoured to be such an enemy. She looked at the Relic of Knowledge, and then glanced up at the Leviathan. She would not be able to hide forever, the scent of the Relic was already getting the creature’s attention as it started to look in her general direction.

“Negative your grace, but she is definitely here. Our forces are engaged with them as we speak.” The Obsidian Glaive answered.

“If possible bring her alive. I want to see her face when she dies for what she stole from me.” Salem growled.

“YOU WANT ME? HERE I AM!” Ruby suddenly erupted, and she launched directly towards the Obsidian Glaive and slashed her blades across the throat of the soldier before they could even raise their aura. Salem stared with wide eyes, which turned to anger as Ruby stared at the Seer with a smirk.

“You are a bold one, Miss Rose. I will give you that.” Salem assured.

“Oh, I’m just getting started.” Ruby assured, staring up at the Leviathan as it started to channel fire and lightning through its throat to blast down at her. Ruby vanished just as it came crashing down, and the Seer was blown backwards, and Salem closed her eyes as she started to see through the eyes of the Leviathan a swell. The huge beast looked around, knowing it did not kill her.

“Where did you go?” Salem growled, when suddenly a flurry of petals darted directly towards the eyes of the Leviathan. Ruby roared as she sliced and shot straight through the eyes and the skull of the beast. The bone armour fragmented, and black blood covered Ruby as she erupted out the other side. Her teeth were gritted together, snarling viciously as the Leviathan roared in immense agony, completely blinded by Ruby.

“What the? I can’t see! Did she take out its eyes?” Salem snarled.

Ruby flew around the Leviathan, and she descended down towards the beast’s heels and she slashed through them with Black Thorn, cutting so deep that the flesh tore and the Leviathan came crashing down. “AND IT’S LEGS!” Salem yelled with rage. The Leviathan’s jaw splintered the concrete ground of the docks as it fell. Ruby flew up above its head, staring down at it.

“What, Salem? You’re not having so much fun anymore?” Ruby yelled with anger, and she blasted down towards the Relic.

“No… NOT AGAIN! NOT AGAIN WILL YOU ESCAPE ME!” Salem roared.

“C’mon, let’s have some FUN!” Ruby yelled, and she spun through the air, cutting the sail clean in two, before she landed on the back of the giant’s neck. Ruby unleashed a berserk war cry of fury as she hacked and slashed her two scythes at unbelievable speeds into the back of the Leviathan’s neck. Both Salem and the Leviathan roared with rage as Ruby tore the monster apart, and with one furious yell, she slashed straight through what was left, causing the head to be left behind on the docks, then Ruby flew off the sinking corpse, leaving the growing pillar of smoke behind.

The Petals swirled through the air, and Ruby landed atop the seat of a Black Gallows Hover Bike. The Gravity Dust engaged, and she took off, just as the Black Gallows and Grimm arrived to investigate the deafening howls created from the dying Leviathan were. They all stood there in awe…

“Did… one woman… do all this?” One of the soldiers gasped, wide eyed.

But the Seer floated before them, and Salem yelled with rage. “GO MY HOUNDS! RIP HER TO PIECES!” Salem commanded, that was when the soldiers realised she was not speaking to any of them. They turned to see the Tar Pits ripple violently, and suddenly three monsters erupted from them. “AND BRING ME BACK MY RELIC!”

The Hounds snarled, and two of them started to violently transform their bodies from their Canine Forms to more Humanoid Shapes, snapping hones and extending their limbs. They had long snouted heads and asymmetrically sized pointed ears. Their jaws were like that of the wyvern, stretching through their cheeks with razor sharp teeth. They roared to the sky, and the three of them sprinted after Ruby, one of them remained in its Dog Form, charging on all fours.

Ruby looked back and gasped as she saw the three Hounds sprinting after her, smashing cars out of their way. “Crap… Looks like I really pissed her off.” Ruby chuckled, and she pushed the throttle down as hard as she could. She kept on driving through the streets of Argus, and she grew closer and closer towards the Walls, and they were trying to close them off, but Ruby saw a way through. She drove towards a Lorry that was carrying cars and she shot Black Thorn at the support, causing the ramp to drop. She accelerated with the Hounds getting closer and closer, but she made it, her Hover Bike roared as it cleared the Gate.

The Civilians turned as they saw the Hounds, the Dog followed her path up the truck and also jumped the gate, whilst one of them clambered up the wall with its sharp claws, and the other jumped and rolled across it with a roar. The three of them passed over the wall, and Ruby looked back. “Damn it, these things are persistent.” Ruby grunted.

The Two Humanoid Hounds sprinted so fast that they were even keeping up with the Canine, getting closer and closer, until suddenly the two Stolen Armoured Cars erupted from the bushes, and Ren jumped out from it and fired Stormflower’s Blades towards the shoulders of the Canine Hound. The Hound roared in immense rage as the blades cut deep into the body. “Gotcha!” Ren laughed, digging his boots into the road behind it.

The other two Berserk Hounds did not even look at Ren, they were completely focused on getting to Ruby, to getting the Relic of Knowledge no matter what. “We’ve got you’re back, Ruby!” Yang called out, keeping her eyes on the road as she drove the car. Ruby looked back at the Canine Hound that was trying to shake Ren loose, and Eryka was climbing across her car.

“Winter! Get your car on the other side of it!” Eryka called, and Winter nodded, accelerating beside the monster that was getting closer and closer to Ruby. Eryka drew Slice n’ Dice, and she spun it through her fingers, waiting for the perfect opportunity. The Hound roared and Eryka jumped, spinning gracefully through the air as she slashed her Shortsword clean through its thick neck. The head of the Hound bounced across the road and the corpse flipped over. Ren retracted his blades and shot them into the back of Yang’s car, and Eryka landed on the bonnet of Winter’s. “WOW!” She cheered.

“Have you even done that before?” Winter gasped.

“NOPE!” Eryka giggled as she climbed inside next to her girlfriend. Ren pulled himself back onto Yang’s car as well. Now there were only two Hounds left, and they were gaining on Ruby. Yang accelerated towards the Hound and she slammed into its side, causing it to stumble but the Hound roared and smashed its shoulder into her side, snapping its jaws at her face repeatedly.

“Get out of my face, you ugly bastard!” Yang yelled as she grinded her wheels against its flesh, but the monster hardly even reacted. Penny suddenly rose up and slashed her swords across the face of the monster, causing its jaw to hang wide open. But it was still sprinting. That was when Penny blasted her thrusters and she flew alongside the monster, punching it across the face and kicking it in the side. The Hound kept at it, then she blasted her powerful beam into its chest as it ran, before she launched all her swords forward, spinning them and she cut the monster clean in two.

The Hound crashed into the ground, rolling across the tarmac and crumbling into dust and smoke. The last Hound started to gain on Ruby, and it slashed its claws against the Hover Bike’s afterburner, and the bike spun out of control. Ruby jumped off and rolled across the floor as the Hover Bike flew and crashed into the ground, blowing apart in a fiery explosion. Ruby stared ahead and gasped as the Hound suddenly grabbed her by the throat and dragged her face across the tarmac and smashed her repeatedly against the ground.

Winter suddenly drove directly into its side, pinning it to one of the trees, it roared aggressively as it tried to slash its claws at them, until Nora jumped up and launched Magni directly into the Hound’s face so hard the skull splattered against the tree bark. She landed on the bonnet and pulled it free from the black gooey mess that was its mouth. The body started to disintegrate away as she stood there, and Penny descended down to Ruby to make sure she was okay.

“Are you hurt?” She worried.

“Nah… bastard could hit had though.” Ruby chuckled, and Penny helped her up with a loving smile. They both got into Yang’s car, whilst Nora got back into the car with Eryka and Winter, and Ren.

The two cars drove off, leaving Vale behind.

With Penny safely back in their arms… and Salem’s anger constantly following them no matter where they went.

Chapter 6: The Relic of Knowledge

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

The two cars roared across the roads of Anima’s Wildlands, passing by fields that now had Tar Pits swelling with the Dark Tar which devoured everything. Where the Grimm were spawning exponentially. Ruby looked back, constantly waiting to see more Grimm or Black Gallows pursuing them, but it looked like they managed to get ahead of them for now. She held her grips tight as the car drove, her hair blew in the wind alongside her long black and red cape. Penny sat beside her as Ruby descended back down beside her girlfriend.

Penny immediately started to check Ruby for any injuries, worried about her constantly. “Are you okay?” She nervously stammered.

“Huh? Oh yeah, I’m good.” Ruby calmly answered.

“You took on a Leviathan single handed! You can’t blame me for worrying.” Penny said with wide eyes.

“Yeah, that was pretty crazy.” Yang chuckled, smiling at her sister whilst she kept her hands on the wheel.

“It was nothing.” Ruby brushed off with a blush.

“You took down a giant Grimm without even using your eyes! That’s pretty insane!” Yang laughed.

“Oh any of you guys could have done it.” Ruby giggled.

Penny gently punched her girlfriend’s shoulder, making Ruby laugh. “You do remember that I am the one who can survive being ripped apart and gravely injured, right? I can be repaired. But you and your squishy body can’t.” Penny reminded, pinching Ruby’s bicep.

“Ow.” Ruby joked.

Penny gasped. “I’m sorry.”

“I’m kidding!” Ruby laughed, which made Penny shake her head with a smile.

“I can’t help it, I’m sorry.” Penny’s eyes widened, realising she just did it again. “See?”

“I missed you, Penny.” Ruby softly said to her as she gently held her hand in hers. Penny smiled and gently rested her head on Ruby’s shoulder, shuffling closer to her side.

“I missed you too. I won’t run away again… I just… I couldn’t go back after what happened at Kuchinashi.” Penny explained.

“It’s okay, I know. But the Summit’s Claim missed you too… and they don’t hold it against you. They know what’s wrong.” Ruby assured as she gently caressed her cheek.

“We all do.” Yang assured as she kept driving. The two of them sat in the back of the car, looking across to see Eryka, Winter, Nora and Ren in the other vehicle.

“It’s nice to see everyone’s still together.” Penny said. “Speaking of which… is Jinn still with us?”

Ruby smiled and just unclipped the Relic and let it sit in the middle. A bright blue smoke formed from within the Lamp, and it swirled around, forming into an apparition which was sat just like them, leant against the back of the seat with one leg crossed over the other.

She was tall, with blue skin and eyes, bound in golden chains around her nude body, with long hair and pointed ears. “Hello again, Penny Polendina.” Jinn greeted with a smile.

“Hello, Jinn.” She sweetly replied.

“It is nice to see you again as well. You have all looked after me like family, and I greatly appreciate that. It is… nice… to be amongst people after being in captivity for so long.” Jinn explained with a smile.

“She has never stopped reminding us of that.” Ruby said with a smile.

“I merely like to make it clear about how grateful I am to you all for your kindness. Few would risk it.” Jinn stated.

“I still remember when we snatched you from Salem’s hands. We knew of the Relics… but… we never really knew how to actually summon you. Until you just appeared in front of us anyway and explained how.” Yang explained.

“I felt that my saviours deserved to learn my name so that I could pay them back.” Jinn shrugged.

Ruby could still remember what Jinn told them when they first met the entity.

I am Jinn – a being created by the God of Light to aid humanity to pursue their quest for Knowledge. I am able to answer any question, but only to those I deem worthy of my words. But thanks to you – you have saved me from Salem, who would have used the Relic of Choice on me, forcing me to answer her questions, despite my personal judgements of the woman.

I am now in your service and will bestow any knowledge you wish – Ruby Rose of Patch.

Hence why Ruby became her guardian, she knew Ruby was still pure of heart. She did not judge her for spilling blood or doing some things the old Ruby would have never done. Because she was not blind to the reality of this new world.

Yang chuckled. “Oh, Ruby. Was Salem there? In some way?” Yang inquired.

“Yep. One of those Seers was there.” Ruby answered.

“Is she still pissed at us for pulling off the greatest heist ever?” Yang asked, making Ruby laugh.

“Oh yeah.” Ruby assured; she closed her eyes… remembering back six years…

… when they escaped Valravn and the Inhumane Necessity began…

 

Six Years Ago…

 

Crossing Anima after they disembarked from Roland Vasillias’ Freighter was no easy task.

Because everywhere was in chaos, they were not blind to what was happening. It was everywhere, they saw the news reports on the way there – but had no idea at the time at the friends that they had lost to that dark day. Tai carried Ruby in his arms, her leg still injured from Valravn, and he looked round the tree as he saw Grimm sprinting across the roads, chasing down a Huntsman who was severely injured. Yang went to help but Eryka stopped her from going any further.

“There’s nothing we can do… we need to keep moving.” Eryka told them.

“B-But! He needs our help!” Yang argued as she yanked herself free from Eryka’s hand, but Winter also stopped Yang with Eryka’s help.

“His injuries are too fatal, there is nothing we can do to help him.” Winter stated, they turned as they heard his agonized screams and begs for help.

“Please! Someone! Help Me!” He shrieked, as a pack of Apathy surrounded him. They groaned and screeched as they grappled onto him. They bit down onto his flesh as he wailed and cried in pain. One of them dug its long-clawed fingers into his eyes as it bit into his nose. Blood poured over his face as he screamed desperately, brought to the ground as he continued to howl as the Apathy devoured him slowly. His screams lasted for a long time, for a few minutes of unimaginable pain before he succumbed to his injuries.

They kept on moving, but his screams lingered in their minds.

“What the hell is happening?” Tai softly stammered.

“The Black Gallows… Salem… I know it. It’s them, they are finally making their move on the world.” Ruby answered.

“Wait, what? The Black Gallows?” He replied.

“They… they work for Salem. They always have done; Killian works for her. She was the one behind the first Attack on Beacon. She has been behind it all, Dad…” Ruby whimpered, and Tai’s eyes widened.

“Salem… I hoped I would never hear that damn name again after… everything.” Taiyang said as he kept moving. Ruby knew about Team S.T.R.Q’s missions that Ozpin had them carry out; it was one of the many things they learned out there in the Wilds with the Branwen Tribe.

Eryka drew Constantine Damascus and fired it directly into the eye socket of an Apathy that shuffled through the treeline, snarling at them. The creature died quickly, crumbling away into a cloud of smoke. Nora also launched Stormur Skeggox up the hill into the chest of a rampaging Ursa, killing it in one shot. She opened her gauntlet, using the Gravity Dust to pull it right back into her palm.

They kept on moving, for hours and hours. Running through the blades of grass, through storms of rain, and eventually trudging through thick snow. They took Lavinia’s advice, and started to make their way up the Mountains towards the Summit’s Claim. They never stopped; they could not risk it. The world was in chaos right now and they had to find shelter somewhere so they could weather the storm.

And they knew that Li Ren could never turn them away.

Ren kept Stormflower close as he ran up the snow, using a few rocks to hop across, keeping ahead of the rest of them to make sure there were no Grimm lurking. The snow shuffled and he gasped as Centinels emerged, hissing at him. He fired the Machine Pistols at the Arthropods as they spad acidic venom at him. The acid melted the stone, but he jumped off quickly, firing both pistols into the mouth of one of them.

He landed on its back and wedged the barrels between the heavy plates of bony armour, firing until it died. That was when a second lunged for him, and he caught the pincers with his hands. He gritted his teeth, forcing the titanic invertebrate backwards. But it was stronger, forcing him down to the ground and slowly pushing its Pincers towards his face. Until Yang Xiao Long shot forward to help, only for the Centinel to smash into her. Without her Cybernetic Arm – after Blake was forced to cut it off to end Yang’s Berserk Rampage – she was far weaker against the beast. It threw Ren aside and snarled as it shot forward.

Taiyang suddenly appeared, catching the pincers in his hands, forcing the monster back with furious blue eyes. He gritted his teeth and twisted its head hard, and pummelled it down into the snow, ripping the pincers from its face and throwing them into its softer underside. The Centinel crumbled to ash around him, and he looked back to see Eryka holding Ruby whilst he helped.

“Thanks…” Yang softly said, and Taiyang helped her back up. She stared at her stump, feeling as weak as she did before she put the arm on.

“Hey… we can make you a new one. Or find you one…” Taiyang assured as he gently caressed his daughter’s cheek. She did not smile though, she just sighed and kept on walking.

“It’s… not because of the arm.” She said, Taiyang watched as she kept walking and Eryka stood beside her.

“It was Blake who had to cut it off. She’s blaming herself.” Ruby said to her father.

Taiyang looked at Ruby wide eyes. “No… it wasn’t her fault.”

“No… it was ours.” Ruby stated.

“No, Ruby it wasn’t.” Taiyang assured, but Ruby stared at him.

“It was, Dad. Weiss and Blake were trying to help us, to stop us from making the same mistakes that Jackdaw made. But we didn’t listen – and the moment that Raven took her chance to escape? We… lost it.” Ruby explained, she looked at Yang as she kept on walking. “She thinks it was her semblance – I tried to tell her it wasn’t… but… I think Valravn wasn’t lying. Her hair burned blue before we snapped, and her eyes were literally on fire. Like lava… I’ve never seen her so angry. And I’ve never felt so angry. It… didn’t even feel like me.”

Taiyang gently held his daughter’s hand. “Listen to me, Ruby – it was not your fault. It was Valravn… and nobody else. Not even Qrow or Raven… or Jackdaw. It was him – he was the one who made them do what they did. I will never forgive them for the lie or the fact they did it in the first place – but it was Valravn who was behind all of this. If it weren’t for his cruel view of the Silver Eyes… your mother would still be alive… and maybe… your team wouldn’t be divided.” Taiyang explained.

“I don’t know, dad… we had been at each other’s throats the whole way there. This was not some spur of the moment thing… it was always gonna end that way. I know you want to help… but the truth is… I’m a failure. I failed my team… my friends… nothing I can say or do will change that fact. I have to accept that.” Ruby explained, her voice cracked as she said those words.

Eryka looked at Tai and she sighed, because she could not even argue with Ruby’s heartbreaking logic. But that did not mean they were just going to let her suffer in her regrets – they were all there for her. For her and Yang, and Nora and Ren.

After that night, they continued the climb. More hours passed, more walking, and finally they found the stone steps in the snow and approached the walls of the Summit’s Claim. It felt like they found the gates to Heaven itself, gazing upon the sky and the Altum Eagles that circled the sky. Taiyang took over carrying Ruby in his arms, and the long trek here lead to another problem.

Ruby’s broken leg had formed an infection as well, and she was suffering. Ruby was leant into her father’s shoulder as she softly moaned in pain. “It’s okay, baby… we’re here.” Taiyang whispered to his little girl.

They looked up and saw a familiar face stood in the Watchtower – Sashaa. The Archer from the Summit’s Claim who had Prosthetic Legs, dark skin and white and purple hair. She gasped, instantly recognising them. “Ruby?” Sashaa gasped.

“She’s hurt… we’ve been trying to get here for the past few days. But Ruby’s leg… it’s badly infected. Things in the world have gone to hell… we needed to find somewhere safe… can we negotiate terms with your leader?” Taiyang begged, but Ren stopped him and walked forward.

“Tell him his son is here.” Ren said to Sashaa and she smiled.

“You needn’t beg… Li Ren always said his gates are open to you.” Sashaa assured, and the large heavy doors started to open before them.

“You’re gonna be okay, sweetie.” Taiyang whispered to Ruby as she softly moaned. Despite the cold she was still sweating, and they walked inside. Ren looked ahead and he smiled as he saw Li emerge from the old Monastery. He held his staff in his cybernetic hand as he walked, and despite his blindness, he could see them. Through the eyes of his massive Altum Eagle – Harmony Gives Humble Mind.

“Lie… my son.” Li said as he approached him, immediately embracing his son once more. He held him close, in a warm and welcoming hug. Li looked at him and there was an evident… pain… in his expression.

“Are you okay?” Ren asked.

“I am… what about you? Ruby’s injury… was it from the Academies?” He inquired.

“No… from Valravn Branwen.” Ren answered, Li raised his brow with shock. He remembered the Old Branwen and the conversation they shared on the mountain. “He was playing us the whole time… Jackdaw never killed Ruby and Yang’s mom. It was Raven and Qrow – Jackdaw was the one they framed. And Valravn was behind it all… because he wanted all Silver Eyed Individuals dead.”

“I did warn you about the man.” Maria Calavera greeted, sat on one of the steps. Her mechanical eyes blinked as she looked at the tired warriors.

“Yeah… well… I guess we were too stupid to see it.” Yang sighed.

“Or he was too smart for you to see it. Not your fault to be tricked by a man like that.” Maria assured.

“Come, let us tend to Miss Rose’s leg. She is going to need it… I can tell from my Eagle’s perspective.” Li stated, always able to see through the eyes of the Eagles that live here on the Summit’s Claim. Taiyang approached the bed and laid Ruby down, and he showed her leg to the nurses. It had flared up red where the bone had broken.

“Can you help her?” Taiyang asked them with worried eyes.

“Yes, it will take some time though.” One of the Nurses said, pouring some medicine into a small cup. She gently lifted Ruby’s head. “Here, honey… drink this. It will dull the pain.”

Ruby did as she was asked, as always. “We will keep her warm, come on, Let’s get her inside.” The Nurse said. They lifted the light bed up and carried it to the Monastery where it was warmer and away from the snow. Nora blew out a breath, relieved.

“You couldn’t pick your home to be somewhere easier, could you? The top of a mountain… why not a Tropical Island?” Nora joked, which made Li chuckle.

“What can I say, I don’t like the sunburn.” Li wittily replied, but he returned to that rather… concerned… feeling again. He pressed his hands against the stone pillar with grief as he stood there.

“Dad? What’s wrong?” Ren asked, and Li sighed.

“It’s… not me that I’m worried about, son…” He said, and he turned to him. “You know? About what has happened?” He asked.

“Yes… the Academies are under attack, everywhere.” Ren said.

“Do you know?” He repeated, which confused Ren.

“I… don’t understand.” Ren stammered, and Li sighed and approached one of the Holographic Televisions, and he brought up the screen.

It was a list of the dead from the Academies, faces popping up every few moments. He rewound it back a few minutes and stopped.

Everyone gasped and felt sick with grief.

Jaune Arc – Dead

Pyrrha Nikos – Dead

Weiss Schnee – Dead

Blake Belladonna – Dead

Neptune Vasillias – Dead

Sun Wukong – Dead

The list went on, but the names that appeared hit them like a truck. Eryka fell to her knees with wide tearful eyes, and Winter wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. But Winter was sobbing as well for her sister. They both sat there as they grieved their lost younger siblings, and Dulcis gently sat and nuzzled against Eryka as she cried out.

Ren stared with wide tearful eyes as Pyrrha and Jaune’s names appeared, and Nora hugged Ren tight. Yang also collapsed to her knees with grief, and buried her head in her hands, seeing Blake’s name appear. Her heart crushed in her chest as she also began to cry. Li bowed his head with sadness for them – but they deserved to know.

Although, neither of them even realised that Weiss and Blake did actually survive the Fall of Beacon and were being saved by Cinder Fall at this point. But the world believed that they were dead.

When Ruby found out, she felt numb – broken inside. To her, she truly was a failure, because not only did her team become torn apart, but for all she knew… her best friends were also dead.

It was a dark day for them all… to know that their family… was gone.

It took a few weeks for Ruby to recover from the infection and for her broken leg to heal, thanks to her aura doing the rest of the work. But Ruby was still quiet, sat at the edge of a cliff… staring out at the gorgeous landscape… and at the pillars of smoke which were rising from Haven Academy even now. And all the Black Gallows Airships and Grimm that were circling the sky.

Ruby closed her eyes with grief. “We lost… everything we fought for… it was all for nothing.” She softly said to herself.

“I wouldn’t put it quite that way.” The voice of Maria Calavera said, Ruby turned to see the small old lady walking over to her side. Just as they did back when they visited the Summit’s Claim many years ago. Ruby turned away and wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Oh… I’m sorry… I didn’t think anyone was listening.” Ruby said.

“Well… I wasn’t, to be honest. I only just came over.” Maria admitted as she sat down next to her. They both stared out at the landscape. “It is beautiful here, isn’t it? From up here you could easily forget that the whole world was now being conquered by a Queen of Darkness.”

Ruby didn’t say anything, she just stared at her feet. Maria glanced at her and scoffed. “What? First when you showed up here you would never shut up. Now you’re a mute?”

“I guess I’m not in a very talkative mood. Since my friends are dead.” Ruby answered. Maria glanced at her and she nodded her head.

“I understand…” She said.

“How could you possibly understand?” Ruby harshly retorted, glancing at her before staring back at the land.

“A lot has happened since we last spoke – I do not blame you for forgetting. My entire family… my husband and my three children were butchered by the Black Gallows. And as we all know now… they work for Salem. It all makes sense to me now… they came for us because of the colour of our eyes… because they knew we could pose a real threat to Salem. And that was why they cut out my eyes.” Maria explained. “So yes… I know exactly how it feels to lose everything, Ruby.”

Ruby nodded her head and she stared back at her knees. “I don’t know what to do.” Ruby softly said. “I want to… I want to kill her… I want to watch her die in agony for what she has done. But… but I know I won’t be able to. How do you even kill someone like that?”

“There is nothing in this world without a weakness. It defies the laws of life and nature; everything can die by some means. It may be hard to find, it could be dangerous, but that weakness is always there. You simply must find the truth.” Maria explained.

“How?” Ruby asked.

“I have no idea. But… you are going to need more than just those little pistols you have.” Maria said as she patted them with her Walking Stick. “And… you must learn how to control those.” She said, pointing to her eyes. Ruby looked at Maria as she lowered her finger.

“What’s the point?” Ruby sighed, sounding resigned.

“Hmm… I thought you were a Huntress.” Maria stated.

“Not anymore.” Ruby said, but Maria shook her head.

“No. I don’t think so. That was a choice I made and look at what happened. If perhaps I stopped wallowing in my own self pity over what happened to my husband, perhaps I could have realised that the Black Gallows were soldiers for Salem. Perhaps we could have had an early warning and be prepared. But no, I stayed up here and just did nothing for decades. I do not want to see you make the same mistake.” Maria explained as she stared at Ruby.

“What does it matter to you what I do?” Ruby questioned.

“Because I have seen too many lives lost – you a bright, beautiful and kind-hearted soul. One I do not want to see dim, because there are few like you. But… if you are going to survive in the new world, you must be willing to spill blood.” Maria explained.

“I know.” Ruby said.

“So come on, get up.” She said, and she walked over to her tent and threw something onto her lap. “I am going to teach you how to use those eyes of yours… and how to fight like the Grimm Reaper.” She stated with a smile. “With the skills I will teach you? Combined with your Semblance and eyes? Well… you may become the New Grimm Reaper.”

Ruby looked at the Walking Stick and touched the trigger, and suddenly the blade folded out from it, forming into the small Scythe. Ruby yelped, quickly lifting her hand off it before it cut her finger.

Ruby was reluctant at first, but over time she and Maria truly did form an incredibly special bond with each other. One that she never ever got to experience – having a Grandmother, in a sense. It was the feeling that Ruby never got to experience, since both Tai and Summer’s parents died a long time ago. Maria trained her in many ways, how to focus her emotions and even her aura to a meditative state. How to fight with these weapons, and Ruby started to modify the Volcanic Pistols that Lavinia Vasillias gave her when they left Patch, turning them into the Scythes she had now.

Black Thorn.

She also started to make her own new outfit, one that could fit her growing body. She trained over the six years, and even now was still learning with Maria. And she managed to understand how her Silver Eyes worked, but more importantly – when and when not to use them. As Maria said, her skills and semblance would always be more powerful than the Silver Eyes could ever be.

But when a year passed – Ruby, Yang and Eryka were helping the Claim by hunting for some food down in the woods of the Wildlands. Eryka fired Constantine Damascus, now with her current outfit and also with Slice n’ Dice sheathed onto her back. The Buck collapsed with a yelp as the arrow found its throat. “Nice shot.” Ruby whispered.

“Thanks.” Eryka chuckled, and the three of them approached the animal. It softly whimpered as it shook on the ground, bleeding out. Eryka crouched down and drew her Hunting Knife. “Shh… it’s okay…” She gently whispered, stroking the soft fur of the mammal, before kindly ending its pain by stabbing it in the heart. The Buck fell silent and she lifted it over onto her shoulder with ease. But before they could leave, Ruby turned, hearing something.

“Did you hear that?” Ruby asked.

“Hear what?” Yang asked.

“Yeah… I did…” Eryka agreed, her hunting skills had sharpened her senses. The three of them walked to the edge of the forest, and they heard the sound of something landing. There was a massive Whale out there, it was utterly enormous, like the size of a Dreadnaught, and it landed outside of Mistral.

Ruby crouched down and reached into her backpack and pulled out some binoculars. She raised them to her big eyes, and she spotted her immediately.

“Salem…” Ruby softly said.

“What?” Eryka gasped.

“She’s here?” Yang also sounded shocked.

“She’s got it, that damn sword we saw all over the news. The Relic of Destruction.” Ruby stated, keeping the binoculars on Salem as she entered the city. “She’s headed for Haven… she’s going for the Relic there.”

“Which one was that again?” Yang asked.

“I think it was Knowledge. That’s what Ironwood said, I think.” Ruby said.

“Well… there’s nothing we can do.” Eryka said as she was about to walk away. But Ruby tightened her grip.

“Yes there is.” Ruby suddenly said. Eryka stopped and Yang looked at her with disbelief. “Salem couldn’t teleport here, she had to use that big Whale to get here. And she couldn’t do the same when she stormed Beacon. We saw all the news coverage of that massive Grimm Army headed for Vale before it happened. She must have been there as well… maybe that Whale was, and nobody saw the thing.”

“How? It’s the size of a city.” Yang challenged.

“It was a cloudy day when it happened. Is it really so crazy to think it couldn’t hide in the clouds? It was dark as well. No wonder so many Grimm hit Beacon so fast… it must have been that thing.” Ruby stated, pointing at the huge Whale.

“So? What are you saying?” Eryka asked.

“I don’t think the Relics can be transported through teleportation. Salem had the Relic of Destruction when she hit Beacon, she didn’t teleport there. And she hasn’t teleported here. But we have seen that she can do it, just like Raven. Without the sword, of course.” Ruby explained.

“And?” Yang asked.

“That means… she will be vulnerable to someone taking it from her.” Ruby stated, their eyes widened when she said that.

“Ruby… you’ve come up with some crazy ideas… but this is just insane.” Yang stated.

“We can’t let Salem get all the Relics, and the Grimm cannot get up to the Summit’s Claim. Hell I doubt she even knows we are even there.” Ruby explained. “If we snatch that thing off her – it will weaken her.”

“But for what? Even if we do get our hands on it, what then? She already has Destruction and Choice.” Yang stated.

“Well… it’s called Knowledge. Surely that thing must help us understand some things better. Maybe even teach us how to kill Salem.” Ruby explained.

Yang and Eryka seemed to be apprehensive of the idea. “If you two don’t wanna help me then fine, go back. I’ll do it myself.” Ruby stated with a sigh.

“Hold on, Ruby. We never said that.” Yang said as she stopped Ruby from walking forward. “We’ll get back to the Claim and get the others. You’re gonna need help.”

“What’s your plan anyway? Just waltz in and snag it from her?” Eryka asked.

“Well… yes.”

A few hours passed after Salem entered Haven Academy, and judging by the heat that covered the sword, she must have used the Relic of Destruction the same way she used it at Beacon. She cut the door open to claim the Relic without even needing a Maiden to do it for her. The Relic of Destruction was clear an extremely dangerous and powerful weapon. And currently, she held two Relics in her hands.

Salem walked through the streets of Mistral, and everyone was bowing before her. Not by choice, of course – merely from fear. Salem did not even look at a single one of them as all Thirteen Praetorian Knights followed her, armed to the teeth with their Sceptres. Salem approached the gates, and she turned to the Monstra sat in the fields and she walked towards it.

When suddenly, a flurry of red petals shot straight across her, and Salem barked with pain as her hand was sliced clean from the wrist. Black smoke and golden light shone from the wound, and very quickly her hand started to grow back. Salem gritted her teeth and looked around, realising the Relic of Knowledge was no longer anywhere to be seen. Salem stared ahead, following the trail of petals to see Ruby Rose sprinting off, and she gritted her teeth with rage.

“Ruby Rose…” She hissed, she then drew the Relic of Destruction, causing flames to burn through her veins as she pointed the sword. “HUNT HER DOWN!” Salem commanded her Thirteen Praetorian Knights.

Ruby darted off into the woods, using the trees as cover. She flew up and landed on one of the branches, clutching the lamp close to her chest. She looked at it, seeing the swirling blue smoke inside of the golden casing. “Hi… Relic.” Ruby softly said to it, amazed to actually be holding one of these extremely powerful things. She looked down the side of the tree to see the Praetorian Knights stomping through the undergrowth, searching for Ruby.

She held her breath, not wanting to alert them.

But she knew, Salem was nearby.

She would not have let them come alone.

The Praetorians spoke in harsh words that were far beyond Ruby’s comprehension, a language that she had never heard before. They yelled at the Grimm, one of them pointed its Sceptre forward to the large pack of Grimm which followed it. Ruby kept her nerves sharp as she clutched the Relic close. But Ruby started to notice that something was not right, because the Grimm kept getting closer to where she was hiding, including some of the Praetorian Knights.

I’m good… but not that good. I can’t take on the Thirteen, none of us can…

Ruby then watched as one of the Praetorian Knights stood by the tree, Ruby glanced down at the Lamp in her hands, feeling it shrink down so her hand could comfortably hold it. She could not help but hear indistinct whispering from within it, and it even started to pulsate with blue energy.

That was when Ruby looked down against the Praetorian Knight beneath her, and it suddenly lifted its head to where she was hiding. Ruby was fast, using her Semblance to quickly move out of the Knight’s cone of vision, jumping to another tree. She stayed as quiet as she could, but the proof was there. The Grimm were able to sense the Relic’s location, there was no doubt in Ruby’s mind that it created some kind of energy that they could detect.

The sound of Nevermores screeching echoed overhead, and Ruby kept her eyes open. “C’mon guys…” Ruby whispered to herself as she looked around. Ruby turned when she felt her Scroll vibrating and she quickly checked it.

The road, get here quick – Yang

Ruby nodded to herself and she flew back down to the ground, pulling her hood up and using the bushes to her advantage. The Grimm were everywhere as they searched for her and the Relic. She looked at the circular handle, and she noticed she could clip one of her belt keychains to it. That way she could keep her weapons handy. She connected it to her belt and slowly moved through the woods.

The Praetorian Knights were massive, at least twelve foot tall, wielding those massive Sceptres as they walked. Speaking in the dark and demonic language that they used, one that it seemed the Grimm responded to. Yet they still responded to Salem when she used their modern tongue… perhaps the Praetorian Knights spoke differently to hide their true commands from any foes?

Beowulves patrolled the woods, alongside countless other beasts. A Nuckelavee walked through the woods, snarling as the Imp on top looked around for the Relic. It had arrows, spears and other things wedged into its body – it was old…

… it was the same Nuckelavee that besieged Kuroyuri with Icarus many years ago. Ruby, however, did not know this. The huge creature trotted across the land, its hooves splattering puddles. Ruby waited for an opening, she knew she could not stay in the same place for long, the Grimm would sense the Relic. She quickly rolled through the clearing and into more tall grass.

Abductors also searched, creating that utterly horrendous croaking sound as they looked for them, powerful magic flowed through their bodies. Burning eyes hidden behind their shrouds. Ruby looked up at the trees and she watched as Nevermores circled the sky. Ruby knew the road was not far, but with all these Grimm? It would not make escaping them extremely easy. And she knew… Salem was not going to be far behind.

Ruby took cover behind a tree as a massive Grimm – one which had a huge horn on its face and looked like a Rhino – waded through the grass. It sniffed the air as it looked for her, growling as it turned to where she was hiding. Ruby acted fast, the Elasmotherium was hardly the most intelligent creature and would seriously charge at the first thing it heard. Ruby saw a large rock on the floor, and she threw it ahead of her, and it clattered against the tree. The Elasmotherium roared and scraped its heavy foot through the dirt before charging towards it, using the horn to sheer the tree trunk. The whole tree collapsed as the Elasmotherium slowed itself down.

Ruby quickly shot forward in a flurry of petals and dove behind a rock just in time. Because a Praetorian Knight sprinted in that direction, spinning its Sceptre through its fingers forged from floating pieces of metal and stone. Black smoke travelled through its body as it walked, snarling softly. The Elasmotherium roared nearby as it shook its head, dust blowing off its thick furry hide. The Praetorian Knight pressed its heavy foot down onto the rock, cracking the stone as it stood above her, but it continued to search the rest of the area.

Ruby took this as her chance, running and sliding down the hill towards the road. Completely unaware of Monstra rising up into the sky and watching her as she fled. And definitely not noticed the winged one that was pursuing her. One of their cars showed up, they were all packed tightly into it with Winter at the wheel – still without the burn scars on her cheek and neck that she had now.

Ruby jumped inside. “Go! Go! Go!” Ruby hurried, and Winter stomped her foot down. Ruby looked back with wide and worried eyes.

“The fuck were you thinking? Stealing a Relic like that without warning us?” Winter sounded furious.

“Heat of the moment, I saw an opportunity and I seized it. We can’t let Salem get the Relics.” Ruby stated, she kept on looking back. It felt like they were not out of this yet – Salem would never give up so easily.

“Are you sure bringing it back to the Summit’s Claim is a good idea?” Nora asked with concern in her voice, in a time before she had her new Magni Hammer.

“I don’t know yet… but we cannot lose this thing.” Ruby said as she patted the Lamp on her belt. But Ruby looked back again, completely unaware of what was coming for them on their left.

“LOOK OUT!” Eryka yelled, and Winter swiftly accelerated as fast as she could, because the massive Elasmotherium Grimm nearly slammed directly into their side, an attack that would have surely flipped their car over with that horn. The Grimm roared, and suddenly the Praetorian Knights erupted through the treeline with them.

“Go! Go! Go!” Ruby screamed, she drew Black Thorn and shot backwards at the Thirteen Praetorian Knights that sprinted after them. The massive Knights even on foot could easily keep up to pace with the car that was driving at full speed. The Rhino growled and roared as it got even closer.

“Keep it steady!” Yang said as she climbed onto the Roll Cage of the vehicle, now with her brand-new cybernetic arm. It still had some work to be done, it was bulky and quite rusted over, however there were still five more years at this time for her to make the improvements that it had now. Yang fired Shrieking Missiles towards the Elasmotherium which exploded against its thick hide, but it continued to charge after them, much faster than it looked.

Eryka joined Yang on the roof whilst Nora held onto the door and fired Stormur Skeggox in its Grenade Launcher at them. One of the grenades flew towards one of the Praetorian Knights but it slashed its Sceptre towards the grenade, batting it aside before it even got close.

It took nearly everything they had to bring done one Praetorian Knight back at Beacon, but Thirteen of them? They could never hope to challenge such a threat. Ruby looked up at the sky with wide silver eyes as she saw the Monstra following them. Eryka drew Constantine Damascus back and she fired one of her explosive eyes directly into the eye of the Elasmotherium. The one place where there was no armour on its heavy head, and the bone fragments shattered like glass. The beast roared as it toppled over, crashing into the ground, but the Praetorian Knight behind it just jumped over its body.

There were more Grimm following in pursuit, however they could never hope to catch them at this speed – yet the Praetorian Knights were so close behind them, getting closer and closer. Nora kept firing her Grenade Launcher back at the Knights to try and slow them down at the very least, but they either just exploded off their bodies and were completely ineffective, or the Knights just deflected them with their Sceptres.

“It’s pointless! My grenades aren’t doing anything!” Nora called to them.

“Same problem, we don’t have the firepower we had before to take these things down!” Eryka called out.

Winter contemplated. “Hold on! I have an idea!” She said, and suddenly drifted the car around one of the bends, driving downhill.

“Where are we going?” Ren asked with confusion.

“We can’t risk the Praetorian Knights learning about us hiding in the Summit’s Claim. We need to lose them… and I have an idea for that.” Winter said.

“And that is?” Ren asked.

“The Argus Limited! It runs through this region if we reach the tracks in time we could board it.” Winter said, which made Yang chuckle.

“Just like old times.” Yang said as she looked back at her fellow Rogues. Winter looked ahead and she gasped, but she was not giving in.

“Everyone strap in… it’s about to get bumpy.” She warned. Yang looked ahead and her eyes widened as well, seeing what Winter was driving directly towards.

“Oh you’ve gotta be joking…” Yang groaned.

It was a completely demolished bridge, but one that had the road bent upwards… perfect for a ramp. Yang, Eryka and Nora did not argue, swiftly buckling up as she drove as fast as the vehicle could go. The Praetorian Knights drew closer and closer, reaching out towards the back of the car with their massive metal hands. But then Winter made the jump, everything felt weightless as they cleared the alley, but the Praetorian Knights slowed themselves down, staring ahead as the car landed on the other side, roaring off.

The Praetorian Knights growled in anger, but then the Thirteen of them looked up – and watched as Monstra followed, and someone was following at great speed.

Winter turned around the corner as everyone cheered with joy. “THAT WAS AWESOME!” Yang laughed with awe, smiling brightly again.

Eryka grabbed her girlfriend and kissed her passionately. “SUCH A BABE!” Eryka cheered, and they started to follow the tracks near the face of the mountain. But as they turned the corner, their eyes widened from what they saw.

Salem.

She had formed a pair of massive Dragon Wings from her back, eyes glowing red as she dove down towards them. “SHIT!” Winter screamed, but they could not avoid her. Salem landed on the bonnet so hard that the whole front of the car smashed down into the ground, causing the vehicle to flip over their heads. The impact threw them from their seats, despite the belts. The belts broke instantly from how powerful that impact was. Eryka tumbled through the ground and Winter drove her sword into the soil. Yang rolled through the floor with Nora and Ren bounced and landed on both feet. Ruby swung Black Thorn outwards, driving them into the trees, bringing a couple of them down.

Their car exploded into flames, and stood in the smoke and fire, was Salem. She turned and glared directly at Ruby, her eyes glowed bright red as she walked down the body of the car, the flames burning parts of her clothes, but her body remained untouched. “I believe that Lamp belongs to me.” Salem stated as she approached them, dark magic flowing through her body. She opened her hand and formed a massive Double-Ended sword from thin air, spinning it through her fingers, as armour forged from bone also surrounded her burned dress.

“No… I will not stand by and let you destroy everything we are.” Ruby growled.

“That Relic means more to me than you will ever know. This is your last chance, Huntress. Give me the Relic… or I will tear you all apart.” Salem threatened, everyone started to stand up, staring at her. But then Ruby stared at the tracks, seeing the holographic symbols forming.

Argus Limited Incoming – 5 Minutes Out

Ruby stared back at Salem and spun Black Thorn through her fingers. “Gonna take more than a threat to convince me, Salem.” Ruby warned, which made Salem chuckle sinisterly.

“Then death it shall be.” Salem stated, suddenly blasting towards Ruby, slashing the huge sword one handed at Ruby. She ducked down to dodge the sword and Ruby rushed past her in a flurry of petals, only for Salem to catch her by the throat out of mid air, throwing her into the ground. Ruby quickly rolled away as Salem stabbed the ground where she fell, and Ruby rolled across one of the rocks, firing her Volcanic Pistols repeatedly at Salem. The bullets either bounced off her armour or hit her directly in the face. But they had no effect, just forming holes which were healed by a glowing gold light.

Salem suddenly threw the huge sword towards Ruby, it spun like the propellors of a helicopter at Ruby, slicing the tree next to her clean in half, before it returned right back into Salem’s hand. Salem then opened her hand and pulled Ruby directly towards her and went to grab her by the throat. But Ruby turned to petals once more and hooked her Scythes onto Salem’s throat, slamming her against the ground. They cut deep wounds that would kill a normal person, but it was nothing to Salem. But the attack did indeed smash Salem into the soil.

Ruby jumped up towards Salem and fired her pistols at her face, but Salem kicked Ruby in the chest and as she fell towards the floor, Salem stabbed her sword at her hard and fast. The impact launched Ruby backwards, and if not for her aura, that sword would have killed her for certain.

An arrow suddenly exploded into Salem’s back, and she turned, glaring at Eryka who winked at the Dark Queen. “Sup, your majesty?” Eryka quirked, before quickly firing another arrow. Dulcis suddenly grabbed onto the arrow, erupted into a massive burning Phoenix that flew straight at Salem, burning her body. But as the flames burned, Salem just sprinted at Eryka, swinging her sword at her fast and hard. She could hear the sword hum as it cut through the air itself.

Eryka transformed Constantine Damascus down into its shotgun form, firing it directly into Salem’s face. A blast like that should pulverise someone’s skull but it merely stunned Salem for a few seconds. She holstered Constantine Damascus and rushed Salem, drawing Slice ‘n Dice, and she slid underneath her and slashed the Shortsword across the back of her leg, dropping her to one knee. Eryka then jumped up and with a yell, drove the sword directly through the back of her neck. It burst through her jugular, and she growled with anger as she twisted the blade. Salem gritted her teeth and reached back at Eryka and grabbed her blue hair and smashed her down into the back of her own head, before throwing her down to the ground.

Salem ripped the sword through her throat, completely unhurt by the brutal way of removing the sword, and she proceeded to throw the sword directly at her. Eryka rolled aside, and Winter helped her back up, forming multiple Glyphs which blasted fireballs towards Salem. Salem spiralled her Sword, blocking the explosive balls of fire from reaching her, glaring directly at the Schnee.

Salem suddenly thrusted forward, blasting a powerful column of red lightning towards Winter. She gasped and raised her sword, stopping the lightning with the blade as she held her ground. Salem charged forward and jumped upwards, slamming the sword downwards at her. Winter slid aside and jabbed the sword into the spaces between the plates at Salem, but Salem swung the huge sword with terrifying ease up her chest, which threw Winter up into the air. Salem jumped and spun around, slamming her boot down into her gut, throwing inter into the ground. Winter gasped in pain, and Salem channelled fire into her hand as she stared the Schnee down.

Winter got back up and gasped, suddenly taking a fireball directly to the face, breaking her aura instantly. Winter fell onto the grass with a pained groan, smoke trailing from the side of her face and neck. “WINTER!” Eryka screamed with fear, gritting her teeth with anger as she suddenly fired an explosive arrow directly into the side of Salem’s face, blowing the side of her head apart. Salem staggered, her skull on show as the golden light regenerated the face that was damaged.

Yang blasted forward and punched Salem in the face repeatedly, nailing her in the gut and up the jaw, before firing both shotguns with her fists, throwing them both into Salem’s sternum. Salem crashed against the wall, cracking the rocks. Salem took each punch as the side of her head started to grow back thanks to her immortality, then Salem grabbed Yang by the face and forced her down to the ground. Yang grabbed Salem’s wrist so tight that her hand broke, even Salem had to release Yang from the pain it caused her. Yang jumped up and punched Salem across the face, but then Salem towered over Yang.

She swung hard and fast at the Blonde Brawler, beating her repeatedly, creating shockwaves with ever single punch that she made on her. Yang gasped from many of the strikes, then Salem grabbed her by her long blonde hair and yanked her downwards, directly into her knee. Yang staggered backwards as Salem ripped strands of her blonde hair from her scalp. Her eyes widened when she saw the hair in her grasp. Her eyes flushed red with rage, and her locks glowed bright gold with flames as she swung her fist at Salem’s face.

Only for Salem to catch her fist with ease, creating a shockwave from the impact. Salem stared Yang down and proceeded to pull Yang forward and headbutt her, before swiping her off her feet and smashing her fist down into her face with all her might. Salem kicked her sword up into her hand, but Stormflower’s Blades shot forward and the cables wrapped around the sword, yanking it from her grasp just in time. The sword bounced across the ground, and Nora blasted forward and drive Stormur Skeggox straight into Salem’s shoulder and neck.

They both dragged across the ground as Nora ripped the axe out and dug it back in, striking over and over with the berserk intention to cleave her head clean off her shoulders. But Salem caught the weapon in her hand and forced her backwards, letting the blade dig into her palm. Nora gritted her teeth, then suddenly blasted a powerful beam of pink energy from the head of her axe directly into Salem’s chest. Salem grunted, thrown directly through an overgrown boulder by the sudden strike.

“Guys! We need to move! The Argus Limited!” Eryka yelled, and Yang stood back up, groaning as she looked at her aura, nearly broken from the beating she suffered. Salem turned and glared at Ruby as they heard the sound of the powerful drain getting closer and closer. Ruby shot forward and spiralled with Black Thorn, slicing across Salem’s cheek.

“Come on!” Ruby said, helping Yang up.

Eryka carried Winter in her arms as she sprinted up the rocks with everyone behind them. Salem snarled, suddenly sprouting massive Dragon Wings once more, taking off into the air. The lightning speed train erupted out the tunnel and they jumped off the edge of the cliff, landing on the top of the train. Winter tumbled but Eryka caught onto her girlfriend before she could tumble off. “I’ve gotcha!” Eryka yelped, holding onto her, pulling her back into her arms.

Eryka gazed at Winter, seeing the bad scarring from the fireball that hit her in the face. They covered her lower cheek and mainly burned the side of her neck. Bright red with steam leaking from them. “H-How do I look?” Winter weakly asked.

“Pretty hot.” Eryka joked, which earned her a playful punch in the shoulder from Winter.

“You and you’re dumb puns.” Winter chuckled.

“What’s the plan now? We’re on the Train.” Ren said.

“We wait until… we’re in the clear… and we jump first chance we get and hide. Once we know we are safe, we get back to the Summit’s Claim.” Winter softly explained to them, struggling to speak because of the burns. Ruby turned to see Ren gasp and his eyes widen.

“We’re… not clear yet…” Ren gasped.

Ruby turned and her eyes widened as well, to see Salem flying after them, and she blasted bolts of red lightning towards Ruby. She deflected them by spinning Black Thorn swiftly. Then Salem landed atop the rear carriage, still holding that massive sword.

“Eryka, keep Winter safe. We’ll hold Salem back.” Ruby explained, switching to her explosive rounds in the Volcanic Pistols and spinning them like a Cowgirl. Ruby fired them repeatedly at Salem as she walked forward with Yang and Nora doing the same thing with their explosive rounds. Salem blocked them fast with her sword, alongside her wings which were still extended from her back. The explosions however managed to hold her back. Ren also fired Stormflower repeatedly as Salem tried to advance.

Salem’s wings swung and she threw herself forward, slashing at them all, but they ducked down, narrowly avoiding her. Salem drove the sword into the roof of the cab, and they could hear people screaming in fear inside. Luckily, the blade did not hit anyone, but people were starting to panic. Salem charged forward, swinging the sword and blasting magic from her other hand. Ruby slid across the smooth surface of the train, and she fired her pistols into Salem’s chest. Salem recoiled back from the explosive rounds, until Ruby found she was out of ammo.

Salem stabbed down at her, but Ruby jumped up and drove both her blades into Salem’s wings, hacking and slashing into the joints of them to cut them from her spine. The wings were severed, and Salem roared with agony, her eyes glowed bright red as she stumbled forward. That was when her eyes started to ignite, and the sky darkened around them. Ruby gasped with disbelief as Salem held out her hands.

“Oh crap… she’s got the power of a Maiden!” Ruby called out, but Nora continued to fire grenade after grenade at Salem, constantly breaking her defence. Ren blasted Stormflower repeatedly, firing the blades into her chest and shooting forward, slamming both feet into her face. Salem however only stumbled from his attack, and lunged forward with her sword, cutting across his aura, knocking him onto his back. Salem then grabbed him by the throat and pummelled him against the top of the train with brutal force, denting the metal.

Eryka turned and she gasped. “Oh shit…”

Yang grabbed Salem from behind with her metal arm, forcing her down onto one knee. But Salem swung her elbow backwards into Yang’s gut and she turned to see what Eryka also was just about to yell about.

“TUNNEL!” Eryka yelled, immediately helping Winter down between the carriages.

“EVERYONE DOWN!” Ruby yelled, they all dropped to their chests, laying as flat as they could. But Salem was not fast enough because Yang uppercutted her just before she dropped.

Salem staggered, then suddenly was knocked directly off the train. Yang laughed. “Ha! Take that bitch! You and your titty diamond can’t beat us!” Yang cheered, only for her eyes to widen. “Why did I speak so soon?” She groaned, just remembering that… it’s a tunnel.

It was hardly a blocked entrance.

Salem glared at them and she blasted towards them, gritted teeth, Nora looked up at the roof of the tunnel and she spun Stormur Skeggox through her fingers. “Get down!” Nora called out, blasting a beam of pink energy from the Axe, carving it across the roof of the tunnel. Salem gasped, her red eyes widened as the entire tunnel above her started to collapse, burying her in rubble.

Nora smirked, spinning her axe through her fingers. “Nora! We can make it, come on!” Yang called out and she sprinted to go and join them. The train roared out from the tunnel and they landed in the snow, and ran up into the mountains together, taking cover.

Salem erupted from the rocks, unleashing a roar of fury, burning the rubble to ashes. She blasted free from the rocks, pursuing the train. They could not see but Black Gallows arrived as well, their forces boarding the train. And they searched it, with Salem aboard, trying to find them.

Which gave them the perfect chance to disappear into the mountains.

It took them hours to find somewhere safe as night started to fall, and in the clear night sky? The swirling colours of the Aurora Borealis flashed over them as they found a small shack to take shelter in for the night. Eryka tended to Winter’s burns, using icy snow to cool her down as she laid next to Eryka, resting to heal. Ruby stared at the Ancient Relic of Knowledge in her hands.

“We have a Relic…” Ruby could not help but sound astounded.

“And you snatched it right from Salem’s hand.” Ren could not help but chuckle at this fact.

“And… cut it off.” Ruby admitted. “I didn’t really need to do that, that was kinda extra.”

“Of course you did.” Yang chuckled, shaking her head as she tended the fire. “Salem… we threw everything at her but none of it even slowed her down.” Yang sighed.

“I know – the stories we heard? They weren’t kidding… she can’t die. And she has the power of a Maiden… maybe two. She has two Relics after all.” Ruby stated as she looked at the lamp in her hands.

“Yeah… Cinder was the last one we knew of. The only one…” Yang said.

“Things are bad… but maybe… with this thing? We could turn the tide? Just wish we knew how to use this cute little thing.” Ruby sound, bouncing it in her hands with a smile.

That was when it happened…

Blue smoke started to pour out from the Relic of Knowledge, forming over the Campfire before them. Her naked body bound in chains, glowing blue with long locks of hair and pointed elven ears. She stretched her arms and entire body with ecstasy. All of their eyes were wide, even Winter’s who was still too tired to speak. “Ah… finally… been cooped up in there for so long.” Jinn softly said as she looked at them all. “Hello… my saviours, I am in your debt.” She bowed to them.

“Uh… who are you? Were you in this thing?” Ruby asked with shock.

“I am Jinn – a being created by the God of Light to aid humanity to pursue their quest for Knowledge. I am able to answer any question, but only to those I deem worthy of my words. But thanks to you – you have saved me from Salem, who would have used the Relic of Choice on me, forcing me to answer her questions, despite my personal judgements of the woman.”

“I am now in your service and will bestow any knowledge you wish – Ruby Rose of Patch.” Jinn stated, gesturing to Ruby.

Her silver eyes widened.

“Me?” She asked.

“Of course. You are the one who saved me.” Jinn teased, she suddenly vanished and appeared laid on Ruby’s lap. Ruby’s eyes widened as the admittedly beautiful apparition laid upon her. Jinn rose and gently caressed her cheek. “And for that – any knowledge you seek. I will provide. However there is a risk with my answers.”

“What do you mean?” Ruby nervously asked.

Jinn remained sat on Ruby’s lap, but she stopped acting all seductive as usual. “I am afraid, my power creates a great deal of energy. You will not feel it, but Salem will sense it. Once you ask me a question, your position will be revealed to her. So… I recommend that if you do wish for knowledge, you go somewhere secluded where your home is not at risk.” Jinn explained, and Ruby turned to them all.

“So… no secret password?” Yang asked.

“My judgement is the only key required. I have offered intelligence to those I deemed unworthy… but none of them lasted long enough. I do not enjoy taking life – but I will if they are dangerous to all the good in the world.” Jinn explained. “But none of you have anything to fear from me. Your wish – Ruby Rose – is my command.”

 

Ruby

 

Back in the present…

Jinn sat where she chose, looking at them all with one leg crossed over the other. “I must say, Ruby – your first wish was quite the romantic one. Asking me if Penny was still alive.” Jinn stated as she smiled at her. Both Ruby and Penny blushed as they huddled close to each other.

“I needed to know if she was okay.” Ruby said. “After everything we lost…”

Jinn nodded her head in agreement. “Ever since that day, I think we really have been a thorn in her side. Hitting her shipments, taking down some of the Black Gallows and Feral One Informants to make the spread of information a little harder for her. But I still think nabbing Jinn from her grasp was a real kick in the crotch.” Yang chuckled.

“Tell me about it.” Winter said over the comm, touching her scars gently.

“Well… at least we’re all together. That’s all that matters. Let’s get home.” Ruby said, looking forward with Penny resting her head on her shoulder with a comforted smile. The two cars drove across the roads, headed back towards the Mountains where the Summit’s Claim stood.

Back home…

 

Pyrrha

 

Pyrrha decided she could help Oscar with some things on the farm.

The cows needed to be milked, and it was easily the simplest task for Pyrrha to do right now. Considering she had only been resurrected for a few days now, it seemed nice to give her a bit of a simpler job. She sat by the cow as it mooed, pulling the udders and squeezing the milk out into the pales. Oscar tended to the Horses with their saddles, and he groaned, touching his head from a strange discomfort.

Pyrrha turned to him. “Are you okay?” Pyrrha asked.

“Huh?” he asked.

“Your head? Looks like you’re in pain.” Pyrrha stated, trying to take her mind off things for a while. Seeing someone in discomfort? That was always a way she found to take her mind off her own problems, to help someone else with theirs.

“Oh yeah… that. Dunno, been having these weird dreams. Didn’t get much sleep last night.” Oscar stated. “It’ll pass though.” Oscar assured.

“How long has it been happening?” Pyrrha asked.

“Honestly, it’s not a problem. It’s been happening for the past six years, but… nothing major. Just strange dreams that I usually forget by morning. But they wake me up randomly. Sometimes gives me migraines.”

“Have you seen a doctor about it?” Pyrrha asked.

“Yeah, they just think it’s a genetic thing. Makes sense, my Uncle had it before me. Ran in his family for generations, strange migraines and stuff.” He shrugged his shoulders. Pyrrha nodded her head and he sighed, looking back at her. “What about you, Pyrrha?”

“Hmm?” She asked.

“How are you feeling? I mean… I can’t imagine how you must be feeling right now… coming back from the dead and… everything.” Oscar stated, and Pyrrha sat there and just returned to the cow. She didn’t say anything because she closed her eyes and sighed. Oscar decided to not pry any further – her problems were nothing compared to what he was experiencing.

Later on in the day… Pyrrha got into the shower and she let the hot water run over her red hair. She pressed her hand against the tiles as the hot water ran across her naked body, rolling over the scars. She touched them and gasped as flashes of her final moments returned into her eyes. She jolted back, feeling the pain once more when those pieces of rebar punctured through her body and killed her.

She felt unimaginable pain for a few moments… and then nothing…

Experiencing death… it was something she knew was going to stick with her for an exceptionally long time. But as she washed the shampoo into her hair… something else flashed into her mind.

She felt him… his warm hands wrap around her naked body and she gasped. She turned and saw Jaune in the shower with him. “Mind if I join you?” Jaune asked her, and she giggled as she kissed him.

But it wasn’t now… it was a memory flashing into her mind. Of their first time together, she invited him to join her in the shower. That night was magical, she would never forget it. Just her and him together… all night.

But now… she was alone… in the shower and the steam around her.

She collapsed in the shower, and she sobbed, burying her head into her knees as the water fell upon her head.

Wake up… please wake up… please let this just be a nightmare…

She opened her eyes, hoping he would be there… but he never was… she was alone.

More alone than she ever felt.

She sat there alone in the shower, crying away her grief.

After she composed herself, she slowly left the shower, wrapped up in a white towel and she sat down with her still wet hair. Staring at her own reflection, eyes bloodshot from the tears. Then she heard her door knock and she turned, seeing Amber stood there with something. But… Amber saw her face.

“I… I’m sorry, I’ll come back later.” Amber said.

“N-No… it’s okay. What’s up?” She asked, still refusing to talk about her emotions. Just bottling it up, not even noticing the Brother of Darkness watching her in the mirror. Amber showed what she had, and Pyrrha squeezed her eyes shut with grief. Poor Amber… she had no idea what she was holding, or what it meant to Pyrrha.

It was a Pumpkin Pete’s Hoodie.

“I… I was gonna ask you to sign it. You were always my favourite… back when my parents were still alive.” She explained. “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have. You’ve been through so much, I shouldn’t.”

“Hey, it’s okay… sure…” Pyrrha assured. Amber looked at her, and she cautiously gave it to her. She stared at the hoodie and felt the tears well up again. Amber gently squeezed her shoulder.

“You… you don’t have to.” She assured, but Pyrrha did it anyway. And she drew her signature on the smiley face like Amber wanted her to. Pyrrha gave it to her with a smile, wiping the tear away. Pyrrha did not look at her, she just stared down at the floor as she closed her eyes.

Amber smiled softly as she walked away and left her in her room. Amber clutched the hoodie, feeling bad. “Hey, Amber? Wanna go help me fish? We could always use some more, now we have an extra mouth to feed.” Cinder suggested, and she smiled.

“Okay…” Amber agreed, but Cinder noticed that she seemed to be upset about something.

Or guilty.

Perhaps she could ask her.

 

Cinder

 

Cinder saw Amber sat on the stump on her own, just looking at the river, kicking her legs back and forth. Cinder set the box of Fishing Equipment down on the grass and she crouched down next to her. “Are you okay, kiddo? Did she say something to you? Did she upset you?” Cinder asked with concern.

“Huh? Oh no… no… she was genuinely nice. I… I just feel bad.” Amber shrugged, squeezing in her shoulders. That was always something she did, making herself even smaller somehow whenever she felt upset. Or guilty. “Am I bad?”

“What? No… no of course not. Why would you think that?” She asked as she sat down next to her, gently stroking her hair.

“I asked Pyrrha if she could sign my Pumpkin Pete’s Hoodie… but… I think I upset her. She already looked upset but… I dunno… I think I shouldn’t have done that.” Amber explained as she sat there.

Cinder nodded her head and she stood up, picking up her Rod and she started to get the bait sorted out. “Well… do you want me to be honest?” Cinder asked.

“Always.” Amber answered.

“Well, you shouldn’t feel bad because you didn’t know. But… I know why it probably made her upset.” Cinder stated.

“Why?” Amber asked.

“Pyrrha Nikos had a boyfriend. Six years ago, back when she was alive? There was this guy, this idiot, called Jaune Arc. He was her leader – he was useless when it came to fighting but he was a good leader. She fell in love with him… and he always wore one of those stupid hoodies.” Cinder chuckled.

Had?” That was the word Amber heard the loudest.

Cinder nodded. “He was killed – during the Inhumane Necessity, just like Pyrrha was. He was the one that set of the bomb. I think… that the hoodie could gave just reminded her of him. Hell I doubt a moment passes where he isn’t in her mind. You’ve gotta remember… for us it’s been six years. For her? It’s only been a couple days.”

Amber sat there, and she thought on all of this. “But you’re not bad, honey. You’re one of the kindest, best people I have ever known.” Cinder assured.

“That man said I was bad.” Amber revealed.

“Who?” Cinder asked.

“The bad man… the one who tried to kill us. Back when we were with the Tribe.” She clarified.

“Shay?” Cinder asked, and Amber nodded her head. “Shay was a cruel man… he would have said anything to hurt anyone. Don’t ever take what he said to heart, honey. He’s gone… it shows what he knew.” Cinder explained and Amber nodded her head.

She looked around and smiled. “Hey… can I maybe… take a break quick?” She asked.

“You haven’t even started fishing.” Cinder pointed out.

“I know… but… just trust me.” Amber said as she crouched down to the dandelions.

“Alright.” Cinder chuckled.

Amber fiddled with the small flowers at the bank of the river, a little smile on her face and bright eyes gazing down at the necklace she had built. Behind her, Cinder looked over her shoulder at the Farmhouse, seeing Pyrrha looking through the window still.

Part of her felt for Pyrrha’s grief… but at the same time… she still felt uncomfortable about letting her stay here.

She sat down on the stump and picked up her fishing rod, waiting for something to bite onto the lure she cast. She exhaled through her nose, concerned with Pyrrha staying here, but still being the mother-figure to Amber she had been since they escaped from the Branwen Tribe. Amber smiled brightly, turning to Cinder as she held her necklace of dandelions up to her. “Cinder! Look what I made!”

Cinder’s eye seemed to burst with the smile that formed on her lips as she looked at the adorable girl. “What’s that, Amber?” She asked her curiously as she set her fishing rod down and walked over to her. Amber beamed like the sun as Cinder gently brushed the long locks of brown hair from her large amber eyes.

“It’s a necklace!” Amber squeaked with such a joyful voice.

“A necklace?” She asked with a coo to her voice, as Pyrrha listened to her speak and watched her through the window it… bewildered her… seeing Cinder so… kind and happy.

Maybe…

Just maybe… she had changed. Maybe that little girl was the reason why she had changed.

Or was it a ploy? Was the monster still lurking… her growth nothing more than deception, like she did before?

She couldn’t be sure.

“I made it for you… it reminds me of Raven… I thought you’d like it.” Amber softly said to Cinder, the Fall Maiden grasped it in her hand as she looked at it. A smile curved across her face as she looked at Amber.

“I love it, honey… thank you. I’m gonna wear it right now.” She assured, ducking her head down to slide the necklace of dandelions onto her neck, and she chuckled as she held her hands out to Amber. “Look at that! Perfect fit, you’ll be a jeweller yet.” She assured as she wrapped her arms around her, and Amber did the same, both squeezing one another in a passionate and warm hug.

But then… the mood changed when a frighteningly familiar voice emerged from the shadows. “What a sweet little girl…” The snake-like voice of Nathaniel Killian interrupted, and Cinder’s head turned sharply… everyone in the Farmhouse gasped and they draw their weapons. Weiss gritted her teeth in anger, drawing Myrtenaster and Blake Gambol Shroud, but with her blindness? She knew she was never going to fight as well as she could have done… hell… maybe it would be best for her to not fight, since she could not fight this way. Pyrrha grasped Snapped Crocea Mors tight as she glared away from Cinder and to the man emerging from the darkness, using his semblance he unlocked many years ago.

But he was not alone, there were others with him.

The Leader of the Squad was a man with short brown hair and teal-green eyes. He wore a sleeveless Atlesian Specialist Uniform that consisted of a white sleeveless double-breasted coat with red and blue accents with ornate detailing shaped to the form of wishbones, broad tail with red lining and a four-leaf clover pin on the lapel. His belt had a rabbit's foot keychain hanging off it. He also wore white pants and covered his hands with brown fingerless gloves. He also wears blue calf high boots with four dark blue straps and silver steel toe plating.

Beside him was another Former Huntsman. He was a tall man with short shaved grey hair, deathly pale skin and light blue eyes. He had several tattoos, including a third eye tattoo along the centre of his forehead and chin. He wore an Atlesian Specialist uniform that consisted of a white double-breasted, partially unbuttoned coat with a broad tail, navy blue accents, collar and shoulder flaps. A red sash ran diagonally over his left shoulder meeting a second red sash around his waist under a large blue belt, and navy-blue fingerless gloves that go up to his brachium. He wore navy-blue pants tucked into a pair of navy-blue thigh-high boots with steel toe and heel plating, a small pouch on the sides and kneepad detailing. He also wore beaded necklaces around his neck and beaded bracelets around his right arm alongside two silver bands, one small, one large on his left forearm.

The Other Former Huntress was a tall young muscular woman with medium brown hair in a short ponytail, brown-tan skin, and brown eyes. She wore an Atlesian Specialist uniform that consisted of an open white, one-sleeved crop jacket with dark blue accents, shoulder flaps and collar and a dark grey shirt. She had silver vambraces over her forearms She had a red belt around her white pants and went barefoot save for some martial arts footwraps alongside dark blue calf plates that covered the tops of her feet, the plates had three red straps tied around them. She also had a silver hoop earring on her right ear.

Another one of the Huntresses was a dark-skinned young woman with platinum blonde and brown hair shaved on the sides and dark pink eyes. She wore a very short-sleeved Atlesian Specialist uniform that consisted of a sleeveless white double-breasted vest with silver buttons and dark blue accents. It had a white and dark blue-collar, a dark blue short-sleeved t-shirt, a red tie and white shorts. She wore dark blue chaps that presumably connected to the tops of her shorts. The chaps exposed the inner part of the thighs and the backs of her calves. She also wore blue fingerless gloves and dark grey trainers with black accents and a white stripe accompanied with red socks. She also had white calf pads and dark blue knee pads as well. There were also dark blue straps fastened around the top of her vest. The blonde portions of her hair were styled in a way that resembled a rabbit's ears.

Finally, there was Youngest Former Huntsman with long greenish-black hair and blue eyes. He was a Faunus, with a dark grey and light grey canine tail as his trait. He wore an Atlesian Specialist uniform that consisted of a white double-breasted coat with silver buttons, dark blue accents, collar, shoulder flaps with matching cuffs that had two silver buttons. The coat's tail split, allowing his tail to move freely. He had a dark blue belt with a silver buckle around his waist with a dark blue pouch on the right side. He also had a red ascot tied around his neck. The Huntsman wore a red shirt under his coat alongside dark blue trousers tucked into his black knee-high boots.

Killian now had a squad with him, and they looked formidable.

With his hands behind his back, and that cold look in his eyes… not matching the smirk on his lips as he stepped round from the shadow cast from the sun of the house, they had been living in. Cinder ascended slowly as she stared Killian down, keeping Amber behind her, slowly manifesting her Obsidian Axe behind her back in case. “…in such complex circumstances. Hello, Cinder Fall… been a long time.”

Cinder glared right into his eyes with her only iris, this time noticing the Grave Dust arm that pulsated from the stump. “Hello again, Killian…” She replied, and the Commander chuckled as he clapped his hands together as he paced towards her.

“How long has it been now since we last saw each other? Six years?” He asks.

“Something like that, yeah.” She replied, and he scratched his chin as he looks at the now Farmer Fall Maiden.

“Aaaand yet, here you are… playing Farmer outside of Vale. Someone with your talents?” Killian scoffed.

“It’s a peaceful life.” Cinder answered. Killian narrowed his eyes, suspicious of her already.

“Lonely I imagine.” He said, before glancing back at Amber. “Or… perhaps not… with this cute little one with you. Do you remember me?”

“Yes…” Amber softly answered.

“You’re bigger now. How old are you now? Twelve?” He presumed, and Cinder narrowed her eye.

“Thirteen.” She corrected, her amber eye glaring right at his onyx-coloured ones, his smirk fading as the conversation turned serious. She jokingly looked at Amber as she gripped her sleeve with fear. “And a half.” Feeling her tug.

“Thirteen years old… and a half… so young and naïve… maybe she will be lucky to see the beauty of the world.” Killian stated as he held out his arms, glaring at the tiny girl hugging her mother-figure’s leg, watching Killian’s every move like a hawk. But then Cinder revealed the Obsidian Axe in her grasp, staring him down.

“Was that a threat?” She snarled viciously; eye glowing faintly, yet even that did not seem to intimidate the Commander of the Black Gallows. Her eyes watched the treeline around their home they had made, knowing he must have Stockholm Troopers watching them right now… he would never challenge the Fall Maiden so confidently without plenty of reinforcements.

Even with this squad at his side, they would not be able to stop Cinder Fall.

“Hardly, just stating a fact… but if you do not cooperate… I cannot promise that it will change.” Killian explained as he stood before her, his hands now behind his back again, close to his Chrome Pistol’s holster to draw it if he must.

“What do you want, Killian? I know you, and I know the resources you have… you knew we’ve been living here for a long time.” Cinder questioned, knowing exactly how he worked and the knowledge he had on person. Pyrrha was constantly waiting for the right opportunity to attack… whether Cinder ratted her out or if Killian figured it all out himself. He was there, and it was likely that he is looking for her.

Perhaps because of her resurrection.

“To think that you were once one of Salem’s most trusted allies… the Fall Maiden… her ace in the hand… and now you are here. I guess it is a good thing our Queen is forgiving… whenever it suits her.” Killian explained. “I mean it surprises me, your file made me think you would have stayed by her side even in failure. Orphaned child who killed her family who treated her as a slave, on the street for scraps… then taken in by Salem when she was a few years older. Like a damn messed up fairy tale.” Killian chuckled.

“What do you want? Ice is thin, Killian.” Cinder sternfully repeated as she stared him down, he stopped his chortling and narrowed those onyx eyes once more.

“Watch your tone.” The short Huntress commanded; Cinder raised her brow.

“Or what, you little bitch?” Cinder snarled, ready for this to go dark.

But Killian raised his hand, stopping them. “I haven’t introduced them, have I? Cinder Fall, please meet my Ace Operatives. Clover Ebi, Marrow Amin, Vine Zeki, Elm Ederne and yours truly – Harriet Bree.”

“Ace Operatives, huh? I thought they got wiped out.” Cinder stated.

“Captured. We helped them see the flaws in Ironwood’s way, offered them a new path. They accepted it graciously.” Killian explained, Cinder scoffed.

“So you gave up one dictator for another? You’re hardly moving up in the world.” Cinder stated.

“Careful with your tone.” Clover commanded, which made Cinder roll her eyes.

“I’m gonna ask one last time – what do you want?” She demanded, pointing her axe at them.

“You’re a wanted woman, Cinder Fall… you and Vernal are, hell even the little girl could be worth some. There’s a bounty on your head for fifty thousand lien, one hundred alive. It never stopped being in play after you changed your formal identity after Beacon fell.” He explained to her, not interested in it obviously since he did not need it… sounded more like a threat again. But Cinder being Cinder, she scoffed into a laugh.

“Fifty Thousand Lien? For me? Wow… any chance I turn myself in?” She asked curiously as she pressed her hand to her chest.

“I’m afraid not… if only it were that easy, right?” He chuckled.

“Ain’t that the world?” She responded as she held her axe tight, staring him down whilst protecting Amber behind her.

“Cinder, you are not the one I am here for. You see… Salem has the whole world in her hand. We are this close to achieving greatness. But with the Relic of Knowledge stolen and Creation still out of our reach, we have not got everything she needs as of yet. But… something else… something far more troubling has caught our attention. As you know, Salem knows about Weiss and Blake’s survival and you harbouring them.” Killian explained to Cinder. “But… Pyrrha Nikos was spotted in Vale recently.”

“Nikos? I thought she was dead, killed in the attack?” Cinder asked as she tapped her chin, and Amber whimpered, until Cinder gently caressed her hair with her finger wrapped round the axe.

“So, it seemed. And yet here we are, countless people recognised her face. Wrapped up in a cloak, on the run from my men and the Grimm. Causing carnage, and… she disappeared in the same place as Weiss and Blake did. I wonder… did you decide to be kind to yet another soul?”

Cinder shook her head, still defending Pyrrha, despite this being her fault for being caught. “Haven’t seen squat.” Cinder answered, spotting Vernal walking out the house with her pistols in her hands, aimed at Killian.

“That so? Because my men and Icarus tracked her trail all the way to this area… after she vanished into the rushing river… one that connects to this exact one.” Killian explained as he reached into his jacket pocket and held a flask of alcohol, taking a swig.

Strange… he never used to have a flask on him six years ago… perhaps things were not going so well in his personal life? He did not look as well as he once did, tired and pale. “I mean… it would look pretty bad if you hid this one from us, Cinder.”

Cinder chuckled sweat brewing from her brow.

“Isn’t the whole idea of a Huntress going rogue a bit old fashioned nowadays? Y’know… seeing how you slaughtered every last one?” She asked him with a nervous chuckle, and he lowered his flask from his mouth.

“Apparently not.” Killian replied, shoving it back into his breast pocket, walking towards her slowly again. Elm spat out some tobacco onto the ground with her Hammer rested on her shoulder. Cinder slowly started to ignite the Obsidian Axe with her magical abilities. “Cinder, here is my offer – at the end of the day you are not my target, or Salem’s anymore. She has no need for the Maidens, you were merely a tool she needed. Now she just wants Pyrrha Nikos… and to know how she came back from the dead… So give me Pyrrha Nikos, and you have my word that you won’t see us again.” He assured as he approached the Fall Maiden with his arms held up, away from his weapons.

“Well you see, at the end of the day I have no idea of what you’re talking about. I have been out all day and I would have noticed a Pyrrha Fucking Nikos hobbling onto my land from this river, Onto our land. We paid for it, so I am very protective of it.” Cinder explained as she glared into the eyes of Killian. “I have kept my end of the bargain as I promised I would. You have no real evidence to prove that she ended up on my land, and so you have no place to make demands of me.”

“Are you sure you want to do it this way?” Killian coldly asked her.

“I dunno, Nathaniel… do you?” She asked, her eye burning hotter and hotter.

Suddenly Cinder’s eye ignited with orange flames as she stared into his eyes with gritted teeth, making Amber whimper with fear behind her leg. At that moment do they see that Cinder Fall again… the one to be feared… yet he did not even flinch.

“You enjoy being Salem’s pawn, don’t you?” She snarled with fury in her voice, then Killian narrowed his eyes back.

“Oh no, Cinder – I enjoy creating order, an order in which saves lives… when the likes of you and other Huntsmen and Huntresses across the globe get people killed for powers left unchecked. And for the savage acts you have made in your life; I will make it my mission to make sure you and every other Huntsmen and Huntress left on Remnant… will die… savagely. For that is all you are… savages.” He growled, despite having abilities himself, being a hypocrite with every single thing that left his lips.

Cinder smirked with gritted teeth as flames crackled around her eye. “Oh, we’re all gonna die, Killian.” She reminded.

He huffed. “Hmph… some… sooner than others.” Killian told her, turning and walking away from her. “So long, Cinder… I’m sure we will speak again… very soon.”

“Goodbye.” Cinder growled.

Elm looked at Amber with a smirk. “Enjoy your fishing, kid! While ya still can.” She chuckled.

She watched as he walked to the shadows, fading away and teleporting off somewhere through his Shadow-Walk Semblance…

The Ace Ops walked into the woods and got aboard a Black Gallows Wasp which took off into the sky, leaving the Farm.

Cinder roared with fury, taking her massive axe and throws it like a tomahawk at the tree where Killian’s shadow was cast upon. The blade of the axe sliced straight through, and the shockwave split the bark of the tree clean in half, creaking as it collapsed into the ground. And as the light shone upon the shadow.

Killian was gone.

Leaving her with Amber…

And that threat in her mind.

Salem knew Pyrrha was here… which meant this was far from over. Cinder glared Pyrrha who was sat there, wide eyed and afraid. She never wanted to bring anything down upon Cinder or her family. As Cinder and Amber returned, none of them realised that someone else was watching.

And saw Pyrrha in the window.

Icarus… stood upon one of the trees like a Hawk… was watching the whole time. “Well, well… back from the dead indeed…” Icarus chuckled sinisterly, extending his mechanical wings as he flew off into the sky, headed back towards the Sanctum – to inform Salem.

The peace of the Farm… was soon going to be shattered.

 

 

Chapter 7: Bloodstained Memories

Chapter Text

Salem

 

Her hand was clenched into a tight fist, and her eyes stared out across the broken land of Evernight. Grimm roared endlessly around her as she stood before the Valley of Darkness. The Shattered Moon watched over the land, and Salem slowly stared at it with a furious glare, her eyes burning with a red glow. She turned and walked past the Seer of which she used to communicate with the Black Gallows soldiers when Ruby attacked.

She was still seething from Ruby still managing to escape and vanish without a trace. Adam was there as well, sat at the huge table on his chair of bone and wood. So were Emerald and Mercury, who were stood by the door, but they soon left. Salem approached her chair, and she clasped her hands together. “It seems Miss Rose proves to be our greatest adversary.” Salem sighed with frustration.

“The hell is taking the rest of them so long to get here?” Adam huffed, looking at the door that Emerald and Mercury just left through.

“They are all in different continents right now. Give them time… they will get here. And besides… we are still waiting on Icarus and Killian’s report from Cinder’s Farmstead.” Salem explained, she was more patient than Adam was, that was certain. However even she seemed to be pacing as well, her fists tightly clenched as she walked.

A child… a child has managed to best me time and again.

I should have tried to contact Valravn Branwen, to make a deal with him when we had the chance.

Adam sighed, but then the Seer softly started to croak as it floated over to Salem. She turned and held her hands behind her back as the face of Icarus formed inside of the Seer’s dome. “Icarus… do you have something to report?” Salem asked him as she looked at him.

“I do. Killian is putting together a more detailed one, but he asked me to let you know as soon as possible.” Icarus explained.

“And what have you learned? Do the reports have merit?” Salem asked and Icarus nodded his head.

“I saw her. It was Pyrrha Nikos, without question. Hiding in Salem’s Farmstead, she was looking through the window when Killian and the Ace Ops were speaking with Cinder. She is alive… somehow.” Icarus explained, sounding utterly baffled at this truth. Adam stared at Salem with a wide eye, also looking at the Seer as he heard this information. The Children of Salem were undoubtedly going to have one hell of a meeting to discuss what to do next after what has happened in the last few hours.

“Your Grace? What is our next move?” Icarus inquired; Salem pondered that question.

“Return to Evernight, Icarus. When Killian has finished his report he will follow. I am already waiting on Hazel, Watts and Tyrian to return. We have much to discuss.” Salem explained, and Icarus nodded his head.

“By your word, Your Grace.” Icarus assured, and the connection between the two Seers was severed. Most likely the one Killian had aboard the Shadow of Broken Promises. Salem walked away from the Seer as it returned to the corner of the room, where her Fourteen Praetorian Knights were stood. Monstra was resting on the ground outside of Evernight in the Valley of Darkness, dwarfing every other Grimm for miles around. Salem remained quiet as she walked to her Throne, sitting down and clasping her hands together once more.

“Pyrrha Nikos? I could have sworn she died… I know she did, I saw her body. She was impaled on a bunch of steel rods.” Adam explained, and Salem nodded her head.

“Indeed she was. Pyrrha Nikos was resurrected.” Salem stated, recognising it all too well.

“How is that even possible?” Adam asked with confusion.

“Such a power… I have only seen it once before…” Salem softly said, shuddering as she remembered the voice of the Brother od Darkness. But her eyes glowed with anger, tensing her hands together. Adam leant back into his chair.

“Six years… and she returns now? It doesn’t make any sense.” Adam stated.

“No… I wonder what it is they are planning…” Salem said once more. Adam then looked at Salem and he grabbed Wilt and Blush.

“Your Grace, allow me to go and find out the truth in your name. To go to Cinder’s Farm and bring your punishment down upon her for breaking her word. I will bring Pyrrha to you so you can find out the truth for yourself.” Adam spoke as he stood up from his chair, but Salem stared directly at him as she held her hands together.

“No.” Salem bluntly answered.

“Huh?” Adam asked.

“No, you will not. Cinder Fall may have lied to Killian, but she will not keep Pyrrha safe for long. She is afraid, and once she knows that I know she is keeping her there, she will give her up in an instant. She may already be thinking about getting rid of her now that Killian came here. There is no need for a slaughter when we can retrieve Pyrrha Nikos with words.” Salem explained, which made Adam scoff.

“Now you’re all about doing things without bloodshed? The Inhumane Necessity showed otherwise.” Adam stated.

“The Inhumane Necessity was unfortunate, and Killian tried to remove the U.G.R and the Headmasters without any further bloodshed. I was in full support of his plans, but the world and those children – alongside those corrupt bureaucrats – made a peaceful shift of power impossible. I do not enjoy unnecessary bloodshed, only bloodshed that is necessary for the survival of our world and its people. Otherwise we have unbridled chaos… I have seen what that kind of chaos looks like… and I do not wish to see it again. Not under my leadership.” Salem explained as she stared Adam down, always remaining calm despite his very apparent disrespect towards her.

“But she lied and is keeping someone of interest to you from your grasp. A direct violation of the deal she made with you. How can you possibly let that slide?” Adam questioned.

“I am not – I just told you. Cinder will give her up, probably already working on tying the bow on our little present.” Salem explained. “And besides, bringing your Feral Ones alongside a large contingent of Grimm to a lonely farmstead and burning it to the ground? What will the people of Vale think then? They will panic, and that is something I do not want. I want our Kingdom to flourish, soon everyone will grow accustomed to this way of living… slaughtering innocents with my creations throws all that out the window.” Adam rolled his eye and paced away from Salem. “I have not dismissed you.”

He stopped where he stood, his Grimm Hooves paused in movement, scraping across the floor. Salem glared at him with burning red eyes. “Sit. Down.” She coldly spoke, sounding like a mother about to discipline their child. Adam felt his heart begin to hammer and he walked past the Knights who stood in the shadows, watching his every move. Adam walked towards his seat and he sat back down, looking at Salem as she leant forward with her hands still clasped together. “Do you think me a fool, Adam?” Salem asked him.

“I-I’m… sorry?” Adam stammered.

“You heard what I said – remember… I do not like repeating myself.” Salem assured with glowing red eyes.

“N-No… I don’t, Your Grace.” He answered, sounding more and more nervous.

“Then why did you just try to manipulate me so then you can try and kill Blake Belladonna?” Salem asked him, seeing straight through him. He stared at her. “Hasn’t the girl suffered enough? You took her eyes, took her lover from her and she has also lost the entire life she once lived. What more can you possibly want to take from her?”

“It’s not enough. She needs to pay for what she did to me.” Adam growled, which made Salem roll her red eyes.

“And what has she done to you? Walked away from the life you tried to force her into? A life where you wanted to slaughter anybody who didn’t see things your way?” Salem asked him curiously. “If anything, I think Blake is more deserving for vengeance against you, than you against her.”

“I cannot sleep at night because of her. Because she still has air in her lungs. Because you will not hold your end of the bargain!” He yelled, but Salem’s eyes glowed red and he felt a cold metal hand grasp his shoulder so hard that it forced him back down into his seat. The Knight stepped back into the shadows afterwards.

“Careful… remember your place, Adam Taurus.” She warned. “Do not try and place your desires above my own. You crave Vengeance, like most of your Brethren do… just as I do. And believe me, I know how much the hunger for revenge can eat away at you… but you let this hunger control you, instead of motivate you.” Salem explained, and Adam looked back at her.

She then stood up and walked around Adam, standing right behind him as she gently held his shoulder. Yet despite her gentle pressure on his shoulder – it felt like it was a burning sensation.

“So you are going to hear me… and you will do as I say. You will not attack Cinder’s Farm… and only when the Eclipse Falls will you get the revenge I promised you. Is. That. Clear?” Salem asked him, and he winced with fear, bowing his head.

“Yes… yes… Your Grace…” Adam stammered. “I understand.”

Salem stared down him, and she released him, walking back to the window and looking out at the Valley of Darkness where Monstra was sat.

“Dismissed.”

 

Adam

 

He walked alone, leaving the Throne Room of Evernight.

Stood by one of the rooms were Emerald and Mercury, talking indistinctly, but they both stopped when they saw Adam leaving. He glared at them and walked towards the two of them. “And what might you two be talking about? Something you don’t want us to hear about?” Adam softly asked as he stared the two of them down. “Something against our plans?”

“No… no…” Emerald assured as she shook her head.

“Then why is there sweat beading from your skin?” He viciously barked, suddenly drawing his sword at her, but Mercury stood in front of her with fury in his eyes.

“Back off, you bastard.” Mercury snarled, glaring Adam down. The Berserk Faunus stared straight back at him; teeth gritted together.

“You think I don’t know? The two of you are planning to turn on us? I should cut you down where you stand.” Adam growled, Mercury scoffed, smirking at Adam.

“I doubt you even know what’s going on in your own head. You deluded piece of shit. Now get the hell out of my face before I teach you a lesson.” Mercury threatened as he cracked his knuckles. Adam kept Wilt and Blush pointed forward, and he even imagined it. Running the sword right through Mercury’s ribs and cutting Emerald’s throat open. But he shoved the thoughts back and he rammed his sword back into the scabbard, walking away from the two of them.

Mercury watched as he walked away with his fists clenched, narrowed grey eyes. Emerald had her hands close to Thief’s Respite, ready to use them if she had to. She looked at Mercury and he gently touched her shoulder. “C’mon, let’s go.”

“That guy’s losing it. Hell… he makes Tyrian look sane. At least Tyrian knows he is crazy, unlike him… he’s a ticking time bomb.” Emerald stated, whilst Adam kept walking, hearing their voices softly talking about him. He forced his door open to his room in the Castle, and he slammed it shut behind him. He pressed his head against it, wincing as he smacked his horned head against it with anger. He paced back and forth in his room, then he threw his sword across the floor.

He started to sweat, panting repeatedly, like he could not breathe in his own skin. He scratched the black hide that made his false legs, feeling where the Faunus ones used to be, replaced by those Grimm Monstrosities. He whimpered, every now and then he started to freak out whenever he saw the legs that Sun blew off with his shotguns.

“Useless… pointless… failure…” He heard her voice echoing in the back of his head. He turned and saw her stood in the darkness, glowing amber eyes and long jet-black hair. She emerged from the shadows as she looked at him with a smile, gently running her finger across his cheek. “What is the point in you living?” The Hallucination of Blake asked him, and he shook his head with distress.

“GO AWAY!” He screamed, shaking his head.

He stumbled to the wall, and he started to smack his head against it, creating large bruises on his forehead. He saw her arms loop around his shoulders, and she whispered into his ear. “You couldn’t even kill me… and now you are nothing but Salem’s bitch.” Blake whispered, and Adam swung around but she was gone.

“I’m gonna kill you… so slowly…” Adam growled as he staggered towards the mirror. He grabbed the sink, and he tightened his grip, looking into the mirror again. She caressed his cheek and kissed his cheek as she stood there. Her skin pale and fangs replacing her canines.

“Promises, promises… but like always… you just disappoint…” Blake whispered, Adam’s obsession over Blake was getting worse and worse. Even starting to think that she was the abusive one, and that she ruined his life.

It was pathetic.

“That’s all you are… a disappointment…”

Adam roared, and he punched the mirror so hard that it shattered, lodging shards of glass into his knuckles. Blood oozed from his burning wounds, and he growled as he yanked them out, seeing the claret cover his closed fist. “… disappointment…”

Adam suddenly felt Wilt and Blush in his hand, and he drove it down into her neck and shoulder, forcing Blake down onto her shoulder. Blood poured from her wound and her mouth as she smiled uncharacteristically at him. “I will kill you… but first I will make you suffer. Gonna make you beg to die… or even better… to beg for my forgiveness…” Adam snarled, he then took the sword and started to hack away at her throat, over and over again as he screamed, until in his head, she was beheaded.

Stood outside… Emerald could hear Adam losing his mind, smashing his sword against the ground repeatedly, just the sound of his screams and that clang of the blade repeating.

She shuddered, able to sense how he was falling apart.

The sword was left lodged in the ground, despite there being nothing to strike. He collapsed to his knees, then he opened his eyes, staring at the carved words on the wall.

BLAKE! KILL BLAKE! DIE BLAKE! SUFFER! TORTURE! KILL! KILL! KILL!

He grabbed Wilt and Blush on the floor, and he grasped it tight, a mad grin formed across his face.

 

Dutch

 

The Shadow of Broken Promises was hovering high in the sky.

Dutch stood at the Bridge; Killian still was unaware of who he really was – the Man in the Mask. He saw the world from up here… and it was noticeably clear how bad things had become. He could see entire areas of what was once farmland shrouded by a cloud of darkness where the Tar Pits had been formed, constantly pumping out Grimm to patrol the roads and the cities.

There was no city, nor town or even village, where there were no Grimm whatsoever. Salem could see everything now; she was a God to these people. And the Black Gallows were her Messengers.

Dutch stared with sadness in his eyes. This isn’t right… this is not how things should be…

He turned as the door to the elevator opened, and Killian walked across the Bridge towards the large view that Dutch was previously enjoying on his own. “She was there. Icarus just confirmed it.” Killian told Dutch, showing him the picture of Pyrrha looking through the window when the Commander was speaking to Cinder. The Ace Ops stood with Killian, and Clover walked around the room with his arms behind his back.

“How… how is this even possible? We went down there, saw her body. She was dead… has been for the last six years.” Dutch stated.

“I have no idea… perhaps we really should have buried her like you suggested.” Killian stated, and Dutch sighed, handing the picture back to him. Dutch looked at the landscape.

“What does Salem want to do with this situation? Kill her, I presume? Like the rest of the poor Huntsmen and Huntresses that have been slaughtered?” Dutch asked, and Killian shoved the picture back into his pocket.

“It still bugging you?” Killian asked.

“Bugging? It was slaughter – you can’t expect me to ever just… accept it. What happened? The U.G.R… the Academies? All of it? It was nothing short of monstrous.” Dutch explained, and Killian nodded his head.

“I tried to do things the peaceful way, that was the whole point of the Vytal Consensus. To allow for a peaceful transition of power without there being any slaughter. And it nearly worked… if not for the U.G.R getting cold feet at the very end. For those damn Rogues forcing my hand.” Killian growled with anger.

“You cannot seriously still pin the blame of what happened on the victims, can you?” Dutch judged.

“I…”

“Don’t bother answering that question… I already know the answer.” Dutch sighed, shaking his head. Killian gently touched his friend’s shoulder.

“Hey… you’re not doubting me are you? Please tell me you still trust me… everyone else giving me those looks is one thing… but you’re one of the few people I trust. Please don’t tell me you see me the same way…” Killian begged, and Dutch exhaled through his nose. “I need you strong, Dutch… my brother.”

“I’m trying.” Dutch admitted. “I will never forget what you did for me all those years ago… it’s why I have always been loyal… even before we became friends.”

Killian nodded his head. “I know you don’t like working with Salem, believe me I do… but things are better now.”

“Better? How is this better? Look around, Nathan.” Dutch stated, raising his hand to the dark clouds that polluted the air in different areas of once lush farmland. Now dead, blackened with monsters patrolling the landscape.

“Crime rates are down, Faunus are no longer racially discriminated against, everyone is treated equally, no more Political Corruption. In comparison to what was… it is leagues ahead the past.” Killian explained.

“Maybe… but at what cost? How many innocents died so then the rest of us could have this future?” Dutch asked him. “Do you even know how many?”

Killian stayed quiet. “There it is again… the silence.”

Killian looked at Dutch and he sighed, wiping the sweat from his brow. “Look, man… I’ve gotta get this report in order and go and see Salem. She wants to know about this whole situation with Pyrrha… I should get moving. You should go home, man. Get some rest.” Killian said.

“And what about you? You’re not looking too hot these days… and I have seen the flask you try and hide in your pocket. How much sleep do you even get these days?” Dutch asked him.

“I get my due.” Killian assured.

“Somehow… I doubt that.” Dutch stated, walking away from him. Killian looked back at his friend who walked away from him.

It felt like everyone was walking away from him these days.

And who could blame them, after everything he had done?

Dutch approached his personal Black Gallows Airship that was docked inside of the Hanger of the Shadow of Broken Promises. He opened the cockpit and sat down as he started to get the engines warmed up. He looked across at the soldiers who were loading some of the crates from the different supply ships that turned up. He sighed, seeing how some of them looked more machine than human now, cybernetics had advanced massively over the past six years. That was yet another massive change in the culture since Pyrrha died, now that Watts had an unlimited budget thanks to taking the riches of Jacques Schnee and Vance Ackerman, he managed to advance the cybernetics and robotics industry leaps and bounds ahead of what was.

Some people… some soldiers… were more machine than organic now. Especially in the Black Gallows, which just made them even harder to take down. But these cybernetics were everywhere as well, in the streets being sold to those who need it. Even Yang’s arm was based off some of the things that Watts managed to come up with.

Dutch fired up the engines, and the Wasp took off swiftly. He flew for a few hours before he returned back to his home, landing in the clearing next to his isolated home. The wings folded backwards as it descended, and he walked down the ramp towards it. He passed by the letterbox which was already emptied by the people who were sharing the house with him. He unlocked the door and walked in, suddenly met by the blade of Joanna’s Staff.

“Yes it’s me – Victor Tango Charlie Kiss My Ass Hot Chocolate.” Dutch rolled his eyes, having to repeat that ridiculous passcode over and over ever single time he opened the door. “Fi did you really have to make that such a weird combination of words?”

“Heh, it works, doesn’t it?” Fiona asked, laid across the couch, watching the news on the television.

For the past six years, he had been giving the Happy Huntresses Shelter, completely for free as well. May was already making them some dinner in the kitchen, she smiled at him as he walked in through the door. Then he saw Robyn, recently out of the shower and back in her Huntress gear. That was when he noticed… all of them were in their Happy Huntresses’ Gear. “Hey. Dutch.” Robyn said with a smile.

“Were you guys planning sneak out before I got back?” Dutch asked as he put his keys down on the counter.

“No, we wanted to let you know. And to have… one last dinner together.” Robyn assured with a smile.

“I am gonna miss you gals. It’s been nice having people in the house again, I could rarely ever stay here before you all stayed with me here.” Dutch admitted.

“We… well… I don’t think I can ever find the words to say how much I appreciate everything you have done for us. I mean… six years with us? You took a hell of a risk.” Robyn said to him as he walked into the room, and Fiona shuffled along so then he could sit down.

“Eh, well… it all worked out in the end, didn’t it? Just remember to stay in touch, right?” He asked.

“Of course we will.” May chuckled as she finished up. “You’re like family to us now.”

She dished up their dinners – Spaghetti Bolognese. May’s favourite to make… and all of their favourites to eat. Dutch got into his comfier clothes and he sat with them at the table, by the photographs of his family. His Girlfriend, and his two daughters – they looked like they were only six years old.

“So… what’s your plan?” Dutch asked them.

“We’re gonna start by disrupting Black Gallows supply lines, make life a bit harder for Killian. But – mainly gonna try and find as much compelling evidence as we can against Killian. If we can find something that the world cannot possibly deny, there is a chance we could start something against him and Salem.” Robyn explained, and Dutch nodded his head.

“It could start a war.” Dutch warned.

“Yes… but if that helps us find a way to kill Salem once and for all… then we may have to. I just want it to be the last war.” Robyn stated. “Otherwise it will all be for nothing if we just have more wars afterwards.”

“Well – if you want some information… I have some news for you.” Dutch explained, the Happy Huntresses’ were all listening. “I told you about that weird incident in Vale, a few days ago. Remember?”

“Yeah, the hooded Huntress being chased and vanishing?” Joanna asked.

“Yep… well – turns out we found out who she is… and where she went.” Dutch revealed.

“Who is she?” Fiona asked, he swallowed the pasta and exhaled.

“Pyrrha Nikos.” He revealed.

“The fuck?” May gasped.

“Language.” Fiona replied.

“Whoa, what?” Joanna also was flabbergasted; Robyn was just gobsmacked.

“H-How? You said she was dead.” Robyn stated.

“She was – saw her body myself. But Icarus snapped a picture of her, she was looking through the window when Killian was speaking to the owner of the land. None other than Cinder Fall.” Dutch continued, which made Joanna chuckle.

“This story just gets crazier and crazier.” Joanna said.

“Didn’t she save Weiss and Blake?” Fiona asked.

“That’s right, fairly sure they’re still there. Killian is just waiting on orders from Salem, but it’s likely the Black Gallows are gonna try and get their hands on Pyrrha no matter what.” He explained, Robyn tilted her head.

Their? That’s a first… never heard you refer to the Black Gallows like you’re not part of them anymore.” Robyn pointed out and Dutch sighed.

“I… I dunno… it’s not what it used to be. Or maybe I just never saw what it really was…” He said with frustration in his voice. “I just know that Killian is losing it… himself. He’s drinking more often now, pale skinned, looks like he only gets an hour sleep at most.” Dutch explained as he ate his food.

“I still don’t understand how you can possibly work for them… after everything.” May stated.

“I ask myself that question too, May… but… I have to.” Dutch said.

“Clearly you don’t, though. I mean you’re sharing classified info with us like you work at a restaurant.” Fiona said with a smile on her face. Dutch nodded his head and Robyn looked over at the room.

“We’ve lived with you for six years… and I never wanted to pry too much on things I knew you probably didn’t want to talk about. But… since this is our last night here… I have to ask you now.” She said, and Dutch looked at her. “Why is there a cell in your living room?”

Robyn was not joking either, because there was literally that – a heavy duty cell just sitting there in the corner of his living room. Completely different to the rest of the house. “I mean… I know you used to have a dog and it lived there but… I know that thing was there before the dog was. Hell you could just have a dog house. Why a cell?”

Dutch looked at it and he sighed, setting his fork and knife down on his finished dinner. He then looked at the Photograph on the side. “You’ve always asked me why I still work for the Black Gallows… why I still try and see the good in Killian. Well… the truth is linked to that cell.” Dutch began, the Happy Huntresses all began to listen to the story he was about to tell. He held the photograph of his family in his hand and he set it down.

“I once had a family. That was my girlfriend – Natasha. She was my sweetheart, known each other since we were five years old. Were best friends and eventually became more than that. When we were nineteen, I accidentally got her pregnant. That was… a funny time… but… we decided to view that accident as a gift. And we went along with it… didn’t realise we were gonna have twin daughters. Nat nearly died on the operating table, but… she was a tough lady. I still remember holding my girls next to her – scariest moment of my life… at the time. But to this day… best day of my life.” Dutch chuckled, smiling.

Fiona and Robyn smiled as well, but Joanna and May looked concerned. “Before I worked for the Black Gallows, I worked for the International Detective Agency. I was always better at solving cases as a Detective when I was training to join the Police Force, and I could read people better – thanks to my semblance.” He explained, his eyes shimmered.

His Semblance – Judgement – was the ability to read people’s true nature. Similar to Robyn’s Lie Detector, but on a different level, he did not seek truth or lies, he sought to find if someone was evil or not. Whether or not they were still a threat. “The Captain of the Force recommended me to the International Detective Agency, and I took up two roles. Detective and Forensic Psychiatrist. I was on the scenes, hunted down the targets and judged them after we arrested them. I had to be certain if they should ever be let out or not. Wouldn’t be surprised if that were half the reason behind why Killian took me in.”

They continued to listen to his tale.

“I worked there for about five years, paid well and I kept my family safe. Bought this land and had the house built for my girls. Whilst in the background I was interviewing and analysing terrifying scenes created by some of the cruellest men and women I had ever met in my entire life. The things I saw? Things they did? Darkest parts of the human soul… I could never imagine it until I saw it.” Dutch explained, still able to picture them.

“The Agency sometimes encountered people who had removed their known identities from all records – so we just called these guys Wraiths. And… I met a Wraith, and he was convicted for brutality, torture and mass murder. A Serial Killer to his core, I saw the remains he left behind. If you thought Jack the Ripper was bad, this guy was definitely worse. Jackdaw Branwen might have had a higher kill count, but this guy was worse, because he liked to make them suffer. Chopped up their bodies, leaving them in artistic poses. That’s what he called it anyway.”

“And yet despite those terrible things? He was up for parole, so it was my job to evaluate him. I used my semblance on him to see what his true nature really was. Because… believe me… I have met some people who did unspeakable things, but deep down they would never do it again. But this guy? He was something else – because he was by far one of the most likeable people I had ever met in this job. Like… seriously!” Dutch laughed, it surprised them that they laughed too. “I mean, he cracked such great jokes, always was fun to speak to, even went to therapy. Hell, I remember hearing that he actually started a fundraiser to help school nearby, so a year of kids could go on a fun vacation that year.”

Robyn set her fork down. “And yet… after all his charismatic personality? I… saw right through him. Saw that he was a monster to his core, with nothing but malice, evil and cruelty in his heart. A true psychopath who knew how to play people – exactly how to play people. I was interviewing him next to the Prison’s Cafeteria, the smell of food was constantly in the air. I swear I was drooling at one point.”

May chuckled at that.

“It was a nightmare, either my stomach was rumbling, or I was having to shout over the floor polishers in the cafeteria itself so the bastard could hear me. And there was this moment – I still remember the exchange, I asked him if he ever thought about the families who were left behind without the people they loved. And in that moment? Right then and there? I knew, that the Wraith knew, that I knew exactly what he was. He knew that after everything, after that charming character he created that everyone loved and laughed with, all that work he put in to hide his true nature from everyone – he knew that it all slipped away. All thanks to my semblance.” He explained. “And that model prisoner stared me right in the eyes, stood up, smiled – and punched me right across the face.”

The Huntresses’ eyes widened.

“I’ve been in my fair share of scraps in my life, but that guy? I can still remember how that felt, it was like someone was pummelling me with a rock over and over again. I was spitting blood on the floor – I was lucky a bunch of Guards were in the other room. It took six men to get him off me, had a broken jaw for a week. Had to drink through a straw.” Dutch chuckled, massaging the side of his face the man punched.

“But the thing I will always remember? It wasn’t the pain… it wasn’t watching him screaming as he was dragged away. No… it was when I saw his face… the rage… his eyes. The mask was thrown off and there he was – the real monster. Screaming at me he would never see her again.” Dutch explained, sighing. “I knew he was so angry because he knew I would make sure he would never get out again.”

“Good. Evil bastard got what he deserved.” Fiona said with a smile.

“Well… I got to try. He got out.” Dutch revealed, Fiona’s eyes widened. All of their eyes widened with shock at that one. “He had contacts with the right people, and they got him out. And he escaped – but he went to do something first before disappearing.” Dutch explained. “I opened my door – and found that the Wraith broke into my home, and butchered Natasha and my twin daughters.”

The Happy Huntresses fell silent at this revelation. “I could barely recognise them… and painted on the wall in their blood were the words – My Greatest Creation. And he disappeared…” Dutch explained, tears welled up in his eyes. He then looked right at Robyn. “I built that cell with the full intention of dragging that bastard’s ass all the way back here. Breaking his legs and his arms, and to watch him starve to death.”

Robyn looked at the cell, and she inhaled through her nose. “And did you?”

“Not long after Killian found me – he managed to identify the Wraith for me. His name is Tyrian Callows.”

That was by far the biggest shocker so far. “Tyrian Fucking Callows?” Joanna gasped.

“The very same.” Dutch confirmed.

“I… I don’t understand. How can you possibly justify working for Killian? He is working with the monster who did that to your family, how the hell can you possibly still try and find the good in him?” Robyn questioned, actually looking angry.

“Because after he vanished – I lost myself. I was broken… I buried what was left of my family, and I walked to the edge of a cliff and I went to throw myself off it. I didn’t want to keep on living – but Killian was there. He grabbed me and threw me to the floor, stopping me from doing it. He took me into his home, just as I took you into mine, and he looked after me. He gave me a new purpose – and he became my friend… my brother. He gave me reason to live again.” Dutch explained.

“And I used my semblance on him, and I saw it was in his nature to help people… that that was who he really was.” Dutch explained. Robyn didn’t say anything, but Dutch continued anyway. “Recently I have used my semblance on him recently and… and I don’t know what I see anymore. But every now and then I see a flicker of the man who saved me… who gave me a second chance. It may be shrouded by his own darkness… but… I believe… I have to believe… that the man who saved me is still in there. I have to help him, just as he helped me.” Dutch explained with tears in his eyes.

“The reason why I want you to find this information… is not to kill him… but to put him in a cell. Salem corrupted him – I want her, Tyrian, Watts and anyone else who thinks like she does, dead. But I still believe there is still good in Killian… there has to be…” Dutch softly said as he sat there.

“… and that is why I still work for the Black Gallows.” Dutch admitted.

The Happy Huntresses were quiet for a few moments. “I’m so sorry, Dutch…” Robyn said to him, gently touching his hand. “But… you can’t keep looking the other way.” She said to him, he looked at her. “The man you once knew? I thought I saw that as well… hell I actually started to care for him too when I posed as Veronica Chamberlain. But that is not who he is anymore – you’re clutching onto someone who is long gone.”

Dutch sat there; his eyes squeezed shut. Perhaps part of him believed in what Robyn was saying? Robyn looked at Fiona, May and Joanna and she stood up. “We’re going to go…” Robyn gently said as they stood up. May picked up the plates, but Dutch stopped her.

“Don’t worry… I’ll handle it.” He assured, wiping a tear from his eye. Robyn walked over to him and smiled. She wrapped her arms around him and held him tight.

She was not the only one, Fiona, May and Joanna did the same. “Thank you, Dutch. For everything.” Fiona sweetly said. The three of them walked out the front door, pulling up their hoods. Robyn and Dutch stood at the door, and Robyn looked at him.

“I’ll never forget the kindness you did for us. And I hope… if we win this thing? We get to do this again.” Robyn said with a smile, and Dutch chuckled.

“Just stay in touch, yeah? And don’t do anything stupid.” Dutch requested.

“Us? C’mon.” Robyn chuckled, but then she gently held him and kissed him on the cheek affectionately. “Stay safe, Dutch… okay?” She asked him.

“You too, Robyn.” Dutch said as they departed.

“C’mon girls. Time to show our teeth.” Robyn said, pulling up her hood as they disappeared into the darkness together.

Leaving Dutch alone once more.

But her words lingered.

You can’t keep looking the other way… the man you knew is gone…

 

Icarus

 

The Winged Assassin soared across the sky, a few hours after his conversation with Salem. He descended through the clouds, using his thruster to move as fast as a jet, and with a glowing red visor which protected his eyes from the elements. He dove through the clouds, flying past Nevermores which circled the skies.

His wings opened and he decelerated, using the drag of the wind, landing down on one of the platforms. He walked into Evernight, seeing Emerald and Mercury together in their room, both asleep. He kept on moving, but as he approached the Throne Room, Adam walked out from his Room, and he stopped Icarus in his tracks. He stepped back but scowled back at Adam, speaking through his mechanical jaw. “The hell’re you doing? Get out the way.” Icarus stated.

“Forget Salem, she’s becoming too soft-hearted. Doesn’t want to hurt Cinder, and if we don’t act fast Pyrrha Nikos is going to disappear. I am calling my forces; we are going to launch a full-scale assault on her Farm. Kill everyone there and bring Pyrrha Nikos back… alive… maybe not in perfect condition. And I want you with me.” Adam demanded.

“What? Why me?” Icarus questioned.

“You saw the lay of the land. We’ll have a better chance with you by my side.” Adam assured, smirking.

“I don’t take orders from you.” Icarus reminded, prodding Adam’s chest, pushing him back.

“You think she will give you what you want? She’s nothing more than a liar.” Adam stated. “Now come on.” Adam ordered, storming ahead of Icarus, barging past him. Icarus looked back at him as he walked away. He stood there for a few moments, but before he even went to walk into the Throne Room… he heard her.

“Come forth, Icarus.” Salem spoke, her voice echoing through the crack in the door. Icarus looked at the heavy doors and he approached, opening them to see Salem stood by the window, looking at her wonders of creation. He knelt, bowing his head to his Queen.

“Your Grace.” Icarus greeted with proper court decorum.

“You see… that there is what I like about you, Icarus. Not only do you get things done, but you respect chain of command.” Salem stated with a chuckle in her voice.

Icarus lifted his head. “You… heard?” He asked her.

“I did… I specifically told him to remain here, but it seems he is hellbent on disobeying my direct commands.” Salem stated. “Tell me… have you made up your mind on what you will do?”

“Yes.” Icarus answered – not only was he quick, but Salem knew he was honest. “I do as my Queen commands.” Salem smiled, and she turned to him,.

“Rise, Icarus.” Salem said to him, and he did so, holding his arms behind his back, and Salem approached him, gently holding his shoulder. “Do you take me for the things he claimed? To be soft? To be a liar?”

“No, Your Grace. I have seen your strength first hand… and you have always kept your promises.” Icarus assured, giving his honest answer like always. Salem smiled once more, appreciating his honesty.

“Go with him.”

He was not expecting that.

“Um… Your Grace? I don’t understand.” Icarus stammered.

“Go with Adam Taurus. The boy has shown time and time again that he thinks he can disobey the chain of command and believes he can just get away with it. Adam Taurus’ mind betrays him over his sick obsession over that poor Belladonna girl. He will fail – I want you to go with him and observe his failure for me. Upon his return – I will punish him for his mistakes.” Salem assured. “But worry not, Icarus. This is not a mission you can possibly fail – you have earned my respect. Adam has not.”

Icarus bowed his head. “It will be done.” He assured, turning to join Adam.

Salem smirked and she walked towards her Throne and sat down, crossing one leg over the other.

 

Oscar

 

He stood by the Airship that was in the Barn, cleaning it up. It was the same Airship that once belonged to the Branwens, the one Shay attempted to use to escape, but they took it instead.

Oscar wiped the sweat from his brow, and he walked past the mirror on the wall, stopping for a brief second.

Who was… that?

He looked back, seeing only his reflection. He rubbed the side of his head with confusion, turning around.

“Hello, my name is Professor Ozpin.” Stood right behind him was the Professor of Beacon Academy, but his voice felt like it came from inside his head. Oscar screamed with shock, felling on the floor, ready to fight. Ozpin crouched down in front of him, looking him right in the eyes.

“THE FUCK?” Oscar screamed.

“My apologies, Oscar Pine… but the two of us have a lot to talk about.”

 

 

Chapter 8: Building a Future

Chapter Text

Viewer Discretion Advised - Sexual Content

 

Ren

 

He looked up at the sky as the sun started to set, with Nora resting her head on his shoulder, her hand gently clutched onto his. It took them the rest of the day to make their way back to the Summit’s Claim, and definitely making sure that there were no tracks left behind for their foes to follow.

But the Gates of the Summit’s Claim were always such a welcoming sight when they opened and were always met with smiles and cheers from the people inside. Their cars slowly drove inside, and they moved them towards the shelter, protecting them from the cold snow. Nora stretched her arms with relief to be back home.

Ren turned to see Li Ren walking down the steps of the old Monastery, looking towards them. He smiled, knowing his son and daughter in law were finally back home. “Penny?” Sashaa gasped as she bounced down from the Gates, using her Prosthetics to soften the landing. Penny smiled to see her friend again.

“Sashaa!” Penny squeaked, immediately hugging her. Ruby turned and she smiled as she saw Taiyang and Zwei emerging from their Yurt, and the little Corgi barked with joy as he ran towards her.

“Hey, buddy!” Ruby cooed, catching the adorable dog and stroking him, getting licked relentlessly by the dog. Yang chuckled, crouching down beside her sister and giving the dog all the fuss in the world. Winter and Eryka both stretched as they stood there.

“I could use a nap.” Eryka groaned.

“You’re telling me.” Winter agreed, the two of them left for their Yurt to get some well-earned rest. Taiyang walked past them and he immediately hugged his two girls, who held him close. Ren smiled at she saw Taiyang so happy to see his girls back home and safe, then he looked across to see Li approaching them as well with his hand always on that staff of his.

“Glad to see you have all returned safe and sound… and with Penny Polendina no less.” Li said with a smile on his old, grizzled face. Penny gasped and turned when she heard that familiar voice, and a bright smile beamed across her face.

“Li!” Penny squeaked, giving him a warm hug, he gently put his free arm around her.

“Welcome home, my dear.” Li said to her.

“I-I’m so sorry I ran… I’m so sorry I worried you all, I… I…” Penny stammered, but Li gently put his finger on her lips.

“No need for apologies, Miss Polendina. What matters is that you are back home.” Li assured, which made Penny smile happily. Penny then stepped aside to let Ren and Nora embrace him. Li held them both close. “I’m so glad you’re safe.”

“Glad you didn’t ruin the place when we were gone.” Nora joked, making Li chuckle.

“I tried my best.” He replied with a smile. The three of them walked through the Summit’s Claim together whilst everyone got re-acclimatised to being home and safe. “So… anything interesting happen out there in Argus? Apart from finding Penny at long last?” He inquired curiously.

“Y-You could say that.” Ren chuckled, which got a curious look from his father. “Let’s just say things didn’t exactly go quietly. It started off okay… but quickly got kinda crazy. But we managed to get out of there – thanks to Ruby. Maria really has made her one hell of a Huntress.” Ren explained with a chuckle.

“She was the Grimm Reaper; I don’t think Ruby could ask for a better mentor.” Li stated.

“But… we did see an old friend die. Ruby, Yang and Penny were right there when it happened.” Nora said with a sad voice, and the three of them stood by a beautiful blossom tree that overlooked the landscape of Anima, near the old house that Ren and Nora turned into theirs, renovating it to be a comfortable home. It took some time – and they even offered to let others live there with them, but everyone was happy with their Yurts or living in the other repaired structures here.

This house was theirs – and theirs alone.

“Who was it?” Li asked them curiously.

“Arslan – she was the last surviving member of Team A.B.R.N. We didn’t know her… or her team… very well. But they were good people – looked like she was being hunted by them for years, I don’t think there was anywhere left for her to go.” Nora explained.

“She was shot in the head right in front of them. Ruby and Yang didn’t even flinch.” Ren stated with concern in his voice.

“You’re worried about those two, aren’t you?” Li asked.

“I’m worried about all of us, dad. What this world is doing to us? We kill without question anymore and whenever we see people die we don’t even flinch. This wasn’t the life we wanted.” Ren said with sadness in his voice, and Li nodded his head in agreement.

“I know – I did let the bloodshed of the world override my morals once… and well… you know what happened because of that.” He stated, gesturing to his eyes. None of them forgot his story, about how he was responsible for Icarus becoming the monster he was today. “But do not lose your faith in what you fight for.” Li stated.

“I know… it’s just hard to fight for people when they all want you dead.” Ren said.

“It may be… but you can see it so simply from here.” Li said as he held out his hand to the beautiful landscape. “From up here? You cannot see Salem… you cannot see the Black Gallows or the Feral Ones. Just the beauty of our world… and the possibility of what it could be. The people may hunt you… but do not forget what Salem is. And what she truly stands for – otherwise… when she wins? All of this will become nothing more than a Barren Wasteland. Claimed only by the Forces of Darkness.” Li explained.

Ren chuckled. “You always know what to say.” Ren said, which made Li smile. He gently hold the back of his son’s head and pressed his forehead against his.

“You are the best of us, the two of you.” Li said, looking to Nora. “I am forever grateful you found each other that day back in Kuroyuri.”

Nora and Ren looked at each other with adoring smiles, warmly holding each other’s hands. Li left them together as they walked into their home together.

Hours passed… and the sun set behind the Horizon, letting the dark sky and shimmering stars stretch across the gorgeous sky.

Nora came out from the shower, her pink towel wrapped around her body, turning to see Ren sat on the bed. His hair was still damp after he just had a shower as well, seeing some of his scars on his chest as well. She was not the only one who had scars unlike six years prior – they all had scars on them. From Grimm and the many threats that they had faced out there in the world. She gently held her towel to her damp body and walked over to him. “Hey…” She softly said to him, walking over to him.

“Hey, honey…” Ren said to her as he rubbed his shoulder.

“You okay?” She asked.

“Yeah… yeah… think my shoulder took a hit back at Argus. It’s fine, just aches a little.” He said as he rolled his shoulder. Nora smiled and she continued to look at him with a smile. Ren raised a brow. “Uh oh…”

“What?” She giggled.

“Whenever you do that smile it usually means you’re planning something – what’s on your mind?” He nervously asked. Usually that smile meant she had done something chaotic; it was Nora Valkyrie after all.

“Oh, no! No…” She laughed, shaking her head. “No I… I have been thinking a lot lately. About what we talked about? The night you proposed to me?” Nora asked as she gently fiddled with her engagement ring. It was gorgeous, with a sapphire and diamond in the gold and silver metal that composed it. On the same finger as her Wedding Ring.

“That was a nice night.” He said with a smile.

“It was.” She giggled. “And… if you are… I am ready.” She said to him with a smile.

“For what?” He asked her.

“You know…” She said to him. “You’ve always wanted to start a family – I was nervous for a while but… I’m ready.” She said with a smile. “I want this.” She whispered as she approached him and crouched down, pressing her head to his. She then felt his warm hands caress her cheek. He kissed her lovingly, and when they broke, their eyes met once more.

“Then let’s build a future.” He whispered.

Ren looked Nora in the eyes, and she held the back of his neck with both hands and pulled him to her lips. They shared one long and passionate kiss, Ren looped one arm behind her curved back and lifted her onto his lap as he kissed her again and again, gently pushing his hand through her long locks and braids of orange hair.

Reader Warning: Sex Scene Starts Here

Nora frantically began to kiss him again and again, her chest pressed against his. She then felt his hands move underneath the towel, and she smiled, feeling him push the towel from her naked body. It was nothing new to him – yet she always left him in awe at her beauty. The scars just made her more gorgeous in his eyes, beautiful lightning marks covered her torso, her arms and her legs, but they were faint – even looked like tattoos now. Nora continuously kissed him again and again.

Ren stroked her back gently whilst Nora lovingly kissed him, she sat upright and felt his hands caress her round globes, squeezing them. She sighed with pleasure as she felt his hands caress her body. She then reached down to his trousers and started to undo them, loosening them and pulling them from his legs, alongside his underwear. She sat over him and felt his manhood with her hand, smiling as she kissed him again. She gasped with joy as he entered her, before he kissed her, his arms embraced her close whilst her hands pushed through his long hair. She caressed his cheeks, and stroked his stubble, before her hands slid back down towards his pecks and she shoved him back down to the bed.

She held him against the furs, Nora looked down at him with a smile as she felt his arm hold onto her back and the other caressed her cheek. She kissed him, then started she rose up away from him and he closed his eyes as she rocked her womanhood atop his erection, his hands caressed her curves and her stomach as she panted with him, rocking back and forth. Nora arched her back as she gasped with pleasure, reaching her hands down to his manhood, holding his member inside of her. Ren reached his hands up to her breasts, holding them and then stroking her slender neck. Nora leant down to him and kissed him again and again, and Ren held the back of her head, stroking her soft orange hair. She continued to rock back and forth over his manhood, and he reached around her hips, holding her buttocks and squeezing them.

He rose up to meet her, and she wrapped her arms around his back as he kissed her. He anchored his arm around her back as she continued to rock atop his manhood, and he started to thrust deeper and deeper into her. Nora moaned joyfully into his mouth, kissing him relentlessly. Her hands stroked his stubble and gently held either onto the side of his neck or onto his shoulder as he thrusted inside of her over and over again. Her legs moved around his pelvis. One hand reached down to her buttock, holding her as she rocked on his erection, whilst the other held the back of her head. He squeezed her buttock and then stroked across her leg, before moving back up and tucking it down into her womanhood. Nora looped one arm around the back of his neck, and she stroked around some of his scars, moaning loudly into his mouth.

Nora panted excitedly into his ear as he pulled her closer, feeling her warm breasts against his chest, both their bodies started to bead with sweat from the excitement that was building inside of them. She stroked his cock with her other hand as he continued to make love to her. Nora pressed her head into his shoulder as she let out even louder moans of ecstasy, her nails starting to dig against his skin. The Valkyrie reared back, and she started to cry out with joy as Ren held onto her, and he kissed her breasts as she arched her back, one arm still around her back to keep her from falling. She held onto the back of his neck as he kissed her breasts, working his way down her chest, before rising back up to her lips.

He then took her and flipped her down onto the bed and started to thrust into her over and over again. Nora laughed and moaned joyously, feeling his hand sliding across her side and then down into her womanhood, tickling her below before stroking across her hip and down her leg which hooked around his pelvis again.

He held her hip as he pushed himself inside her, and Nora moaned into his mouth as they kissed, he then wrapped one arm under her back and she pushed her womanhood upwards, grasping the furs tight as she got closer and closer. Ren kissed her neck and went down her neck to her breasts, before making his way back up to her once more. Nora closed her eyes with a smile as she gasped louder and louder, her blue eyes widened as Ren took her hands and held her down against the furs.

They both panted and moaned together, getting closer and closer. Ren released her hands, grasping the pillow beside her, and the other went under her back, lifting her up slightly as he repeatedly thrusted. Ren then took his hand which was holding the pillow as stroked across her side, and caressed her leg, then moving back up to her cheek, fisting through her hair as he kissed her passionately. “I’m so close!” Nora cried out, and Ren held onto the headboard.

Nora’s eyes widened as she moaned louder, and a pink glow slowly built up in her eyes and through her Lightning Scars.

And then… Nora could not hold on any longer and she climaxed with a laughing moan of joy, and Ren soon followed. Nora’s eyes shone pink with her scars, and Ren kissed her scars as they finished, gently kissing the ones on the side of her neck again. Ren pressed his head to hers as they sighed together, exhausted and aching with their lovemaking. They both laid together on the bed, sharing passionate kisses together as Ren gently pressed his head down against her sternum.

Reader Warning: Sex Scene Ends Here

Nora smiled as she caressed his head, looking up at the skylight of the beautiful stars flickering overhead. “I love you… Lie… I love you so much.” She whispered into his ear, and he caressed her cheek again, looking into her eyes.

“I love you too… Nora.” He whispered, before kissing her again.

 

Ruby

 

Darkness…

… it was everywhere. Alongside a strange sound… the sound of cawing Corvid Birds. Ruby shook in her bed with Penny gently snuggled up to her as they slept through the night, but her dreams were nowhere near as comforting as the warm fur sheets that covered their bodies from the cold. Ruby found herself in yet another familiar nightmare, she drew Black Thorn with gritted teeth and shining Silver Eyes.

“Show yourself!” Ruby yelled as she looked for him, hearing the caws grow louder and louder.

“Ruby…” Qrow’s voice whispered from the darkness. She stared into the shadows, seeing him stood there. Looking right at her, but Ruby gritted her teeth as she glared at him. “Ruby…” Raven’s voice was the one who spoke this time.

Then a dark and familiar laugh emerged behind her, and she turned as the Fatal Feathers extended from his arms. “Hello again, my little one. Did you think we would not still be watching?” Jackdaw asked as he circled her. Ruby closed her eyes, pushing them away… until she heard the one she dreaded the most.

The Chimes…

… the whispers grew.

“Valravn… Valravn… Valravn…”

Ruby turned, as if her hairs stood on end. And he emerged from the shadows as if he were really there, eyes glowing blood red as he glared directly at her. “Child of Cursed Blood… you still wander yet aimlessly. Towards a certain doom you cannot escape… you will fall.” Valravn snarled, his voice as dark and croaky as it ever was. Ruby glared at him with gritted teeth.

“Go away…” She snarled.

“You are wounded, Child. Filled with disease and rot… a rot that will spread and grow… until there is nothing left at all.” Valravn whispered as he stare directly into her eyes.

“You’re dead… stop talking to me… you’re not real.” Ruby mumbled, closing her silver eyes as she looked away from him.

“How long will you run until you face it? The end of your journey… it is coming.” He whispered.

“Get out of my head.” Ruby repeated.

“Your wound? You have to face it – or it will kill you.” Valravn growled.

“GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” Ruby howled, her eyes ignited and Valravn vanished into the light, alongside Jackdaw, Raven and Qrow.

Ruby gasped, waking up suddenly from her nightmare, sweating and shaking. She stifled her breaths, closed her large silver eyes and breathing in through her nose. She turned to her side, seeing Penny still asleep beside her. Penny always was one deep sleeper, took quite a lot to wake her – perhaps she didn’t actually scream when she woke? Ruby gently caressed Penny’s shoulder as turned herself around, hands pressed to her knees. She reached over to the dressing gown, covering her up – since she was only in her underwear.

Before she reached the door, she stopped by the chest in their Yurt, and she saw tucked away in the corner – was the Letter. She closed her eyes, remembering when Taiyang found it in his pocket.

Hey Ruby… I found this in my pocket… he must have put it there when I wasn’t noticing. He made one for both you… for you and Yang.

Who?

Qrow. I think… you should read what he said.

But Ruby never did – six years later she still never opened that letter to see what he said. He may have come back with Raven and Jackdaw and died fighting Valravn and even killing him. And killing each other… but she still could never forgive him for what he did. Not just in killing Summer – but for the lie. Nineteen years of her life – all of it was a lie. And now at Twenty-Five, she still could never open it.

Neither did Yang.

However Yang kept it close just as Ruby did, but they still refused to read whatever it was he wrote. And just like then… she ignored it and walked to the zipped-up door of their yurt.

Ruby quietly stepped outside and sat on the step of their Yurt, and she pushed her hand through her hair as she sat there. The cold breeze felt nice after waking up in such a sweat from that nightmare.

“Another nightmare?” Maria’s voice popped up from out of nowhere. Ruby turned to see the elderly woman walking with her stick over to her.

“You can’t sleep either?” Ruby asked.

“Heh… never could.” Maria admitted as she walked over to Ruby and sat down next to her. “So… you want to answer my question?”

Ruby chuckled. “Yeah…” Ruby sighed.

“Valravn?” She presumed, and Ruby just nodded her head. “It’s been a while since you saw him in your dreams.”

“I know… I don’t know why it’s popping up again.” She sighed.

“Well… it could be the anniversary affect.” Maria suggested. Ruby looked at her with curiosity. “It’s a side effect of Post Traumatic Stress. Sometimes you can go the whole year up to that point with hardly anything… but as soon as the anniversary of that event comes closer? You remember it… and you start to experience the symptoms again.”

Maria clutched her walking stick tight; her mechanical eyes closed as she sighed. “Trust me.” Maria assured, and Ruby nodded her head.

“I know he’s dead… we went to where they died… found Qrow, Raven and Jackdaw. We buried them – but we also saw their wounds that they died from. None of them were done by Harbinger – yet it was covered in blood. And Valravn’s weapon was broken and left behind… there’s no way he’d be alive… but the fact I never saw his body? It still scares me to think he is still out there.” Ruby explained, and Maria nodded his head. “I should have listened to you warning sooner.”

“You couldn’t have known, Ruby. Valravn… even I wasn’t completely certain. But I heard the stories about what he was capable of. And at the end of the day I had no idea about Qrow and Raven.” Maria admitted. “But – I think we both know that if Valravn was alive somehow? He would have found you by now. It’s been six years… and he was here, and knew this would be your only safe haven. He would have come for you.” Maria explained, and Ruby nodded her head in agreement.

Luckily – Ruby’s fears were nothing for her to worry about, for Valravn was dead. His body may not have been found… but it was because his body turned into the Ravens and Crows in his final moment as he died. Who knows what happened to the birds… but with certainty… he was dead and gone forever.

He only existed in her mind now.

Maria then glanced at Ruby. “Have you read his letter, yet?” Maria inquired, and Ruby just shook her head. “Why not? It might give you the closure you need.”

“I don’t need closure, not from him. Jackdaw told me the truth – and he lied to me my entire life. How can I believe a single word written on that piece of paper?” Ruby questioned, still bitter – perhaps for the rest of her life. Maria could hardly fault her for her anger, it was quite the lie and betrayal he kept from her.

“It could help you, though. To just see what he wanted you to know.” Maria said.

“No. I’m sorry, Maria – but I’m never reading it. I don’t care about what he wanted to tell me… he should have told me a lot of things a long time ago.” Ruby stated, and Maria nodded her head.

“Then why haven’t you burnt it?” Maria asked, standing up and walking away from Ruby. Maria gently touched her shoulder as she walked away, leaving Ruby to ponder on that. She sat there and wrung her hands together as she thought about it. Her eyes closed and she bowed her head, until a gentle and warm hand squeezed her shoulder.

Penny sat down next to her and smiled. Resting her head on Ruby’s shoulder. She did not have to ask – she knew exactly what was going on. The two of them could read each other like an open book.

They just quietly sat together outside their Yurt, just enjoying the view of the Night Sky.

 

Robyn

 

The Argus Limited sat still as the passengers both disembarked and embarked the huge train. Humans and Faunus alike were getting aboard, with great ease and with nobody giving them any second looks. And yet both sides felt a shade of concern as they sat down, as the Black Gallows were always aboard it, with weapons at the ready and constantly keeping an eye out for any recognisable faces.

However they did not even notice the Happy Huntresses who were in one of the suites. They didn’t even need their hoods up; it would have raised more attention than not – the soldier looked at them but just continued. Robyn chuckled. “Dutch wasn’t kidding, they really don’t recognise our faces.”

“Well Killian did throw you through the window of Ironwood’s Office. Can’t say I blame him for thinking you’re dead. As for the rest of us? Well… Dutch made one hell of a convincing death for us all.” Fiona said with a smile on her face.

She remembered exactly how it went down, as he set off explosives extremely close to them, and May swiftly used her Semblance to cloak them and they got aboard his Airship as fast as possible. The explosion was so powerful that the rubble itself melted and some of it was even vaporised, making it one hell of an impressive falsehood. Their names were nowhere to be seen, yet they still had to be careful. Just because they did not recognise them after Six Years… it did not mean that someone wouldn’t notice them eventually.

May closed their door so then the Black Gallows couldn’t glare at them. “So? What’s the plan?” Joanna asked Robyn.

“Well… Dutch gave us that Contact of his. The one who wants to figure out what he is up to and what happened six years ago. We’re gonna go meet her and talk with her. Hopefully, she is still interested in taking that son of a bitch down.” Robyn explained.

“We sure she can be trusted?” May asked.

“Pretty certain. She has a pretty good reason for wanting to bring his ass down.” Robyn stated.

“Did she lose someone?” Fiona asked with concern in her voice.

“Yeah… a part of her family.” Robyn answered. “Jaune Arc.”

“We’re gonna go speak with Saphron Cotta-Arc?” Joanna sked with surprise in her voice.

“Not Saphron, her wife. Terra-Cotta. Killian’s Foster Sister.” She revealed.

“Damn… didn’t you say she is the only family he really has? Well… apart from you? When you were Veronica?” May asked curiously.

“Yeah, her father’s gone, and the mother is still in a critical condition. I don’t think she has very long if I’m being honest. If Killian is gonna… crack… we need to take him down before he does. I can’t imagine the level of destruction it could cause if he completely loses his mind. Losing his Foster Mother and his Foster Sister turning on him? He could completely fall off the deep end.”

The Argus Limited started moving, headed straight for the Free City of Argus.

“Isn’t that what we want? If he goes crazy then nobody can deny the threat he poses. Could be our first step to bringing down Salem.” Joanna suggested.

“But what about the innocents that could die?” Fiona asked her.

“Nail on the head, Fiona. I don’t want to risk any casualties – and besides, this is a delicate situation. I know how things work; I was raised in Mantle. And I know how ideologies work. We already saw the start of it with the Puritan Followers who believed in Killian’s way of thinking six years ago. But those Followers are basically Salem’s Followers now. People who follow her blindly, people like that are incredibly dangerous. I don’t want this operation leading to wars in the future. Otherwise it is all for nothing. Salem will still be causing death on a cataclysmic scale. The truth needs to go out there – but we have to be smart about it.” Robyn explained.

“I mean… let’s be real here… what we want here? It isn’t that different to what Salem has already done. Wanting new leadership in place, of course we don’t want the Queen of the Grimm leading, but we don’t want corruption either. But remember back when the Inhumane Necessity happened? The riots on the news? How many people died because of it? If we’re not careful, even more people could die.”

Joanna and May agreed, nodding their heads. “Fucking Politics… I hate it.” May grumbled, which made Robyn chuckle.

“So? What’s the best course of action?” Joanna asked.

“We need to gather as much intel about the enemy as we can. We already know Killian is on the brink of losing his mind thanks to Dutch and from when I was Veronica. But… the other Children of Salem are a mystery. We need more information on them, and on the Black Gallows itself. People are in the dark on a lot of things, if we are gonna get information out there – we have to be smart about it. Not all at once, and drip feed it.”

“Not all at once?” May asked.

“We gotta water the truth down. We give them horrifying truths all at once, the public won’t want to believe it. And the Black Gallows could easily fabricate a lie to replace it and everyone will decide to listen to the people in charge. People don’t want to see what’s behind the curtain, they like being in that shadow. But sooner or later – they have to see the truth.” Robyn explained.

“So drip by drip… we quench their thirst.” May said, and Robyn snapped her fingers. “Exactly. By interrupting their convoys we can learn as much intel as we can. There’s gonna be conflict against Salem and the Black Gallows, that is inevitable. Nothing we can do to change that. But we need to be certain that after that conflict is over – it stays that way.”

“That won’t be easy. The people who believe in Salem’s methods won’t just disappear or suddenly change their whole way of thinking for ours.” Joanna stated.

“Yeah… that’s the part I’m trying to figure out. We would need a piece of information – a truth – that is completely undeniable. And we would have to release it at the right moment. I mean… too much information after we beat Salem could be dangerous as well. Could cause panic and start conflict between the two sides. It’s a delicate situation.” Robyn explained with a sigh.

“Yeah… as I said. I hate Politics.” May stated, in which they all raised their glasses.

“I’ll drink to that.” Fiona admitted.

It took them a few hours of laying low on the Argus Limited – just in case – to get to Argus, but eventually they arrived. Robyn looked around with wide eyes, seeing the aftermath of Ruby’s rampage against the Black Gallows and the Leviathan earlier today. With night fallen, they stuck to the shadows as they approached Terra’s home, and they peered through the window, with hoods up.

They were eating dinner at the table – and Adrien was now six years old, no longer a tiny baby playing with toys. “How was work?” Saphron asked Terra.

“It was fine… I had to patch up a couple of soldiers. Did you hear it was Ruby Rose who killed that Leviathan?” Terra asked curiously.

Saphron couldn’t help but laugh. “Of course it was her… that chick was always one to go a little extra.” Saphron stated.

“You’re telling me.” Terra chuckled.

“Ruby? Do you mean… Uncle Jaune’s friend Ruby?” Adrien curiously asked. The two of them froze for a moment and Saphron squeezed her eyes shut with grief. Adrien was too young to really remember that much of Jaune, not enough for it to hurt like it did for these two. But it seemed to anger Terra more than upset, because it was her Brother who played a part in it.

“Yes, honey. Uncle Jaune’s friend.” Terra nodded with a smile. Saphron stood up and took their finished plates to the Kitchen, then she yelped with shock, nearly dropping them when she saw Robyn Hill stood there. But Robyn raised her finger to her lips, then raised her Scroll. Terra drew the knife left on the table and pointed it at Robyn.

She was about to speak until they read Robyn’s Scroll.

Not a word, they could be listening.

Then they heard that someone was inside, searching through things yet they could not see them. After a few minutes, May revealed herself, holding something in her hand. Something that made the couple feel sick.

“Knew it… Salem had someone bug your house. Your relation to Killian must have been enough for her to be cautious, make sure nobody would try anything with Killian’s only family he has left.” May said as she crushed the deactivated Microphone.

“What the hell?” Saphron gasped.

“Looks like Killian’s paranoia is getting worse by the day.” Robyn shrugged her shoulders.

“You… you’re Veronica.” She gasped.

“Robyn Hill. That was just a character I posed as to try and get information from Killian. And it worked until Watts figured out who I really was.” Robyn explained as they shut the curtains.

“The hell are you doing here?” Saphron asked.

“We’re friends with the Man in the Mask.” Robyn told Terra, her eyes widened and Saphron looked at her with confusion.

“Took him long enough.” Saphron scoffed.

Fiona and Joanna revealed themselves as well, and Robyn raised a brow. “Yeah I told my wife, who do you think I am? Nathan?” Terra scoffed.

“You definitely have his bite.” Robyn shrugged with a chuckle.

“Why come now? He contacted me years ago, then went silent and now he sends you guys here? Why?” Terra questioned, Saphron turned to little Adrien, gently stroking his hair as he hugged his mother’s leg.

“Because we’re not hiding anymore. We needed to keep our heads down after what happened in Atlas six years ago… but now we can’t wait any longer. I know you want to know more, and you know your brother was involved.” Robyn explained.

“Yeah… the fact the Black Gallows were involved kinda showed that.” Terra stated.

“Well, we want the same thing. I know you’re a detective, a damn good one too. If anyone can help us find answers it would be you.” Robyn explained.

“Hold on… you ladies clearly know more about what happened than I do… so please… fill us in. I need to know what happened to my Brother-In-Law and what Nathan did. I know he works for Salem… but what happened? What part did he play?” She asked.

Robyn decided she would tell the truth. “He planned on getting rid of the U.G.R without destroying the Huntsmen Academies. I think Salem wanted to try the same thing, but as we all know – the Vytal Consensus was a failure. The U.G.R completely got rid of the thing because they knew it would have major changes to a system that they enjoyed. It left them no choice but to use the Inhumane Necessity.” Robyn explained – honestly.

“No choice? Jaune was murdered. Pyrrha was murdered. So many men and women were murdered that night… children.” Terra explained, her heart broke when she said the last one. She could still remember that night at Sanctum when those Raven Talons held guns at her head, demanding she leave. It was at that moment she knew Killian had done something terrible.

“Yes – Salem, Killian – all of them. They decided it was better to massacre them all after the Consensus failed. So they wiped out the U.G.R, and then the Academies. We were there in the Foundations of Sovereignty when the U.G.R were slaughtered. Your brother lost something that day… and I think he is getting worse. We need to stop him before he snaps.” Robyn explained, and Terra paced around, pushing her hand through her hair. Saphron wiped a tear from her eye and crouched down to her son.

“Hey, Adrien… c’mon honey, let’s go in your room. Let Mommy talk with these ladies, okay?” Saphron softly said to the scared boy who nodded his head. Terra gently held her wife’s hand as she left, before turning back to Robyn.

“This… this is bad…” Terra explained.

“Yes… the issue is we have no proof to back up what happened. The only footage has been doctored to hell by Watts to make it seem real.” Robyn explained.

“Oh I knew that from the second I saw that footage. Ruby, Jaune… Pyrrha… all of them. They would have never done the things that security footage showed. No that was the Black Gallows… and the Children of Salem.” Terra agreed.

“We have a plan. We need to find good evidence we can use against Killian and start spreading it. We need allies against Salem, and I know there are plenty of despise her rule. We know this will cause a war… our job is to make sure we do not let this lead to wars following her defeat. Otherwise this is all for nothing.” Fiona explained.

“And the best place to start is to go after the Black Gallows and all their secrets. Our Mutual Friend inside the Black Gallows can only do so much before he becomes a suspect of betrayal. Meaning we will have to find our own answers.” Robyn explained. “So… are you interested in joining us? Because… I won’t lie to you… it will be dangerous.”

Terra stood there and she held her hands against the table. “My brother… helped the monster who killed my brother-in-law. Saph… she was heartbroken… she woke up crying in the night, I took entire weeks off work to be with her to make sure she was okay. And my baby boy has grown up in a household… confused to why his parents always seemed to be upset. All because of my brother.” Terra growled with anger, slamming her fist against the table, turning to face them.

“So yeah – I’ll help you. I want to make my brother face the music, and the punishment for what he did to my family. That is what I owe Jaune.” Terra stated.

Robyn walked over to Terra and held out her hand. “Then it’s high time we got to work.” Robyn said, and Terra took her hand and shook it.

 

Ren

 

The loving couple laid together in bed, Nora in his arms – his little spoon. His arms wrapped around her as they slept, and Ren started to come to. He caressed her long copper hair, kissing her affectionately on the cheek, as he gently let go of her and got up out of bed. He opened the door to the private balcony, stood there with his hands against the railing.

He stared out at the beautiful landscape beneath him, that stretched on for miles. The glowing colourful lights of the Summit shimmered gorgeously above him. He tensed, grasping the rail of the balcony tighter as he closed his eyes – picturing Jaune and Pyrrha in his mind.

He couldn’t get it out of his head… the fact that the last time he ever saw Jaune and Pyrrha… he and Nora were so angry at them. Nora was the person to say the last thing to Pyrrha… and it was…

Well… you have already abandoned who you were…

And the last thing Ren ever said to Jaune was…

I don’t even know who it is I am looking at anymore…

Did he mean it? Or was he just angry about how they became so divided? They could be able to reconcile with Pyrrha if they ever met her again… but Jaune? There was no chance anymore, and that truth hurt harder than anything. It was why it kept on lingering in his mind.

All their sacrifices… everything they went through together… was destroyed in a single night.

Suddenly he felt a loving and warm comfort wrap around his chest from behind. He turned as he saw Nora, awake, behind him, gently holding him. “Hey… you okay?” Nora asked him with concern in her voice. He smiled as he turned around and gently held her close, caressing her hair as she pressed her head to his peck.

“Better now…” Ren assured as he held her close. She then took his hand and gently pressed it against her belly.

“We’re gonna have a family… Renny…” She cooed with an adoring smile. “… if you told me ten years ago… we’d be married… and having a baby… well… I dunno how I’d react back then. Probably kiss you on the spot.” Nora giggled, remembering how much she used to pine for him. “Then probably explode.”

“Sounds about right.” He then gently poked her little nose. “Boop…” He said to her, which made her smile brightly at him.

“I don’t know what I would do without you…” She whispered, he gently held her and kissed her lovingly. When they broke their kiss he smiled.

“Probably would have destroyed half the Grimm-Kingdom.” Ren chuckled, which made her laugh.

“Well hey… with all the little Noras and Rens that’ll be running around here? Salem won’t stand a chance.” Nora giggled.

“How many you planning on?” Ren asked her with a smile.

“Hmm… how many is a Cavalry?” She wondered, which made Ren laugh again. They both laughed together, then she looped her arms around the back of his neck. “I love you, Ren…”

“And I love you – my little sloth.” Ren joked, which made her giggle again, before they shared a long passionate kiss together.

 

Oscar

 

“Who the hell are you?” Oscar growled with anger, picking up a screwdriver and pointing it at the Professor who was now pacing around, pinching the bridge of his nose.

“I already told you – Professor Ozpin.” He answered.

“How did you get in here? And tell me why I shouldn’t put this Screwdriver through your fucking face?” Oscar snarled.

“Well… it appears I have become bonded with someone with an upbringing of survival. From the Branwen Tribe… no less. Interesting… how things seem to always come back together.” Ozpin said, sounding disappointed – not with Oscar – but with the Branwens after the Hunters informed him on what Qrow did to Summer.

“What?” Oscar questioned.

“You can try and kill me, Oscar. But I am afraid you will have extraordinarily little success… because I am a part of you now.” Ozpin explained as he walked around the room, shimmering in and out from time to time.

“I don’t… u-under-u-understand.” Oscar felt like gravity was becoming heavier and heavier, dragging him to the floor. He fell to one knee, pressing his hand against his forehead.

“I do not intend to hurt you, or anyone you care about – you can be certain of that. I actually intent to help you… against Salem.” Ozpin explained.

“Just… go away… whatever you are, just go away. Professor Ozpin is dead, he died at Beacon Academy.” Oscar stammered.

“Indeed I did, by Salem’s hand. I did not realise she had the Relic of Destruction, and my error has cost Remnant dearly. But I am not going to give up on my duty, Oscar Pine. And I know… from your memories… you will not stand for this either. This is not the world you wanted to live in.”

“The hell do you know about me?” Oscar viciously growled, glaring at him.

“I know your Aunt and Uncle were slaughtered by my Former-Student, Jackdaw Branwen. I know Raven Branwen took you in alongside Cinder Fall after the first Battle of Beacon, and she taught you how to fight and become a survivor. And I also know that you and your family had to kill the last remaining members of the tribe to survive… and that this detail haunts you.” Ozpin stated as he crouched down beside him, but Oscar yelled and swung around with the Screwdriver at Ozpin’s eye.

Only for Ozpin to disappear.

Oscar stumbled to the floor with nothing for the screwdriver to impact but air. He grunted as he hit the floor, tasting the dirt in his mouth where the Airship was covered up. “It’s going to take a lot more than a screwdriver to be rid of me, Oscar.”

“What will it take?” Oscar barked, only to see Ozpin suddenly appear right in front of him. It was like he grabbed him by the back of the neck, staring directly at him.

“If you wish to be rid of me so badly then you might as well take that screwdriver and be done with it. Drive it right into your own head if you must. Go on then – if you are not the soul I am meant to be bound to, then free me from you. Or get off your ass and do something to help the state of the world.” Ozpin demanded, he sounded angry – something that was rare from Ozpin.

Perhaps knowing what Salem did… had angered him badly. “Fuck… you…” Oscar growled as Ozpin paced around the room.

“She killed so many people I held dear. I watched helplessly as she slaughtered them all. Jaune Arc. Jaymes Ickford. Peter Port. Cardin Winchester. Sun Wukong. Neptune Vasillias. Everyone I promised I would help and bring them a better future… I failed them all. I will not fail those who are left.” Ozpin stated as he looked down at Oscar, crouching down in front of him.

“I normally prefer the gentler treatment of introducing myself… but someone from your upbringing clearly needs a firmer hand.” Ozpin stated, staring right at him. “But I would rather this bond we now share to be more than just arguments, Mr Pine.”

“I… I don’t understand… how is this even possible?” Oscar stammered, and he rose higher.

“I am not like most people, Oscar. I am closer to Salem than you can possibly imagine… but in time you will. I am cursed – cursed to constantly join with the minds of a soul. Likeminded or not…” Ozpin explained. “Only when Salem is defeated may I finally rest – and you will be free from me. We both are bound… set on the same course, Oscar. And with Killian’s recent discussion with Cinder Fall… I imagine you know that very soon she will send someone else here. For… Pyrrha Nikos… a mystery even I do not understand yet.”

“How many memories of mine do you… know?” Oscar stammered as he started to stand back up.

“I have been in your head ever since I died, Oscar. Only now has my curse allowed me to communicate with you. It is a strenuous and unpredictable process. I am always aware of whom I am bond… but sometimes it takes longer for me to really communicate with them. It took me six years for you… not the longest… but it is up there.” Ozpin admitted, shrugging his shoulders.

“I… I don’t want any part of this. I don’t care if it is just bad luck that you bonded to me… or if it’s something dumb like destiny – hell I don’t even believe in that shit – it doesn’t matter. I don’t want any of what you’re selling.” Oscar stated, he walked towards the door, but Ozpin appeared in front of him. Oscar staggered backwards, but Ozpin held his hand up, his expression changing.

“Stop… listen…” Ozpin told him, so Oscar did so. They both listened and Oscar approached the crack in the Barn Door with wide eyes, hearing the sound of Airships and Trucks driving across the road towards their home.

“Who the hell are these clowns?” Oscar softly said, then the lead truck – a Hovering Tank – drifted across the road onto their front garden, and it opened up.

Adam Taurus climbed out from it with Wilt and Blush in his hand as he stared at the house, and Icarus dove down, landing on the turret next to him, massive Mechanical Wings folding back into his pack.

“Who the hell is that?” Oscar whispered.

“Adam Taurus… and Icarus…” Ozpin gasped. “Children of Salem…”

“Oh fuck…”

“CINDER FALL! GET OUT HERE WITH PYRRHA NIKOS!” Adam demanded, but as Oscar listened, his eyes widened to what he was saying to the Feral Ones on the radio. “Give ‘em to the count of five then give ‘em everything… actually… LET ‘EM HAVE IT!” Adam yelled, and all the soldiers and vehicles opened fire on the Farmhouse.

Oscar gasped, staggering backwards from the door. “Do you believe in destiny now?” Ozpin asked curiously.

Chapter 9: Fleeting Joy

Chapter Text

Cinder

 

Moments earlier…

Pyrrha was sat down by the window, her head rested on her hand as she gazed out at the landscape. She had just eaten the lunch that was made for her – some of it anyway. Cinder looked at her, noticing how little she was eating. Pyrrha was in an awfully bad place right now, it was reminding her of how Blake and Weiss were when she first found them. Cinder finished cleaning the dishes and turned when she saw Blake walking with Amber through the house. “We’re gonna go and tend to the horses. A certain someone demanded it.” Blake said as she gestured towards the thirteen-year-old.

“Oh I wonder who that could’ve been?” Cinder sarcastically wondered.

“I have no idea either. Strange isn’t it?” Amber asked.

“So strange.” Cinder agreed, the two then chuckled and Amber gently patted her head. “Go on then. I know you just wanna pet them.”

“Hey, you don’t know that… I could be… um… eh… yeah.” Cinder smiled, shaking her head as the two of them left the house and went to the larger barn where the Horse Stables were. They only had five to stable, but to Amber it was like a Personal Zoo. She loved Horses, and to be honest, the horses loved her as well.

Amber skipped through the doors with Blake following the sound of her steps. Cinder glanced at Pyrrha again who got up from the window and carried her plate to the sink and started to wash it. Cinder stopped what she was doing, and she pressed her hands against the surface of her counter. “Look… I know you don’t trust me; you have no reason to. The last time you and I met I tried to kill you and everyone you knew. But… don’t shut people out. I’ve been seeing you lately and I saw it with Weiss and Blake after Beacon was destroyed. Blake was in a very dark place, but Amber helped her get out of it. I may not have agreed with the risk of letting you stay, but you’re here. That means it’s my job to make sure you’re safe here. So… when you’re ready… just talk to us, okay?” Cinder asked, and Pyrrha paused washing the plate and looked at Cinder.

She scoffed. “It’s like you’re a completely different person.”

“You can blame that little one for that.”

“Hmm… yet I thought you were someone else once as well. And I have the scar on my heel to show for my stupidity for falling for it. I don’t know what you’re planning, whether it is to just give me up or something… but I ain’t waiting around to find out. I’m leaving tonight.” Pyrrha said, Cinder looked completely baffled.

“What about Weiss and Blake?”

“They’ll get over it. They lost me once before they can lose me again.”

“Where the hell is this even coming from? I know you’re in pain right now, you lost the man you loved. And for you it hasn’t been six years, so it is still fresh… but going out there on your own? You might as well ask me to do what the old me would have done to you.”

“Salem is still out there. Arthur Watts, Killian, Adam Taurus, Hazel Rainart, Tyrian Callows… they’re all still out there. I won’t stop until they’re all dead.” Pyrrha walked away, not even noticing the Brother of Darkness watching her from the shadows with his arms crossed. Cinder followed him.

“Looks like I’m not the only one who’s changed. Did you know that most of the Children of Salem are bound to Salem through some kind of lust for revenge? Hazel against Ozpin for creating him as a monster? Adam against Jacques Schnee? Watts against Jacques Schnee for taking the Hereditary Schnee Riches from him? Killian for what happened to his parents? All of them are the way they are because it all started with revenge. It won’t help you… it will make you just like them.”

Pyrrha was stood in the doorway and she turned back to Cinder. “What about you and Tyrian, huh?” Pyrrha asked.

“Me? I wanted power… I came from nothing; my semblance was telekinetic but was so weak that I could only lift grains of sand. Salem promised me more power… and you saw what I became. And Tyrian? Well… he’d do anything for her. Out of all of them I think he’s the most unique. He doesn’t care for revenge; he is just in it for the violence… for the killing. The guy is a lunatic and will stop at nothing to serve his Queen.”

“Well… I will stop at nothing to avenge the killers of the man I loved. They took the one good thing I ever had from me… I don’t care what happens to me now. I thought about constantly every single day you let me stay here… I want them all dead. It’s as simple as that.”

Cinder stared at Pyrrha, and yet despite it being her face, she seemed like a completely different person. Cinder could not see the Brother of Darkness looming over Pyrrha’s shoulder… but she could feel that something was off about how Pyrrha was. The door to the shower opened and Vernal came out of it.

“Ah… that’s better. Hey what’s up?” Vernal asked as she threw the towel to Weiss who was about to go in there next.

“Just chatting, is all.” Cinder assured, keeping Pyrrha’s secret for now.

“That’s good, I’m starving.” Vernal said with a smirk.

Then they heard the sounds of cars and trucks pulling up outside of the Farmhouse, and the roar of Airships flying overhead.

“CINDER FALL! GET OUT HERE WITH PYRRHA NIKOS!” The voice of Adam Taurus boomed from outside. Pyrrha’s eyes widened with shock and Cinder pointed down at the same locker that Cinder hid Weiss and Blake in when Killian showed up searching for them six years ago.

“Get down here, now!” Cinder demanded in a hushed voice, Pyrrha snapped out of her state of hatred, but inside? She was fuming… hearing his voice again? She wanted to rip him apart, but she did as Cinder said, and dropped down into the cellar beneath the living room. Cinder slammed it shut and covered it with the carpet.

“Weiss stay in here. Vernal, are you ready?” Cinder asked.

“Yeah, where’s Oscar?” Vernal asked with concern in her voice.

“He was in the Garage where the Airship is. Probably getting ready to make his move as we speak.” Cinder said. “We’ll just talk to him first, like last time…” Cinder said as she approached the door, but just before she opened it, she overheard Adam softly speaking to his Feral Ones.

“Give ‘em to the count of five then give ‘em everything… actually… LET ‘EM HAVE IT!” Adam barked.

Cinder gasped, her amber eye widened, and she dove down to the ground. “GET DOWN!” Cinder screamed as the bullets suddenly shredded through the windows and the wooden walls. The walls splintered, throwing sharp chunks of wood all across the floor. Weiss and Vernal were crawling across the floor with Cinder. “The Barn… we have to get to the Barn! Blake and Amber are in there!” Cinder called out with fear in her voice.

A massive explosion erupted upstairs, and the staircase was blown apart, throwing huge chunks of debris across the room. Fire started to spread across the house from upstairs after that Tank fired its cannon directly into it. Cinder gritted her teeth with anger.

This is our home… we built this place… Adam Taurus you fucker… you are gonna regret crossing me boy.

Cinder ducked her head down against the floor, just as more bullets from the machine guns came ripping through the building, tearing the drawing that Oscar made of Raven Branwen to pieces. Photographs of Amber growing up were shattered from the gunfire, all these memories being purged.

The closer they got to the back door… Cinder began to seethe with hatred. She heard a yelp, and she saw their Golden Retriever whimpering with fear as he hid in the corner. Cinder whistled to him. “FIND OSCAR!” She screamed at him, the dog sniffed the air and he bolted through the back door, swinging it open, headed directly for the Barn. The Feral Ones were too focused on destroying their home to even notice the dog that was sprinting towards the Barn where Oscar was taking cover.

Adam outside, still stood atop the tank, smirked sadistically as he watched the house start to crumble from the amount of damage it had suffered. The tank fired into Amber’s bedroom, thank the gods she was not there, and the fire was spreading fast through the house. In a few minutes, the whole place was going to be completely consumed in the flames, and the six years of happiness spent in this house would be erased completely.

Icarus grabbed Adam by the shoulder, yanking him back. “Adam what the fuck are you doing?” Icarus roared with fury in his mechanical voice. His eyes were wide and despite lacking his jaw – being replaced by the mechanical one that Watts made him – Adam could see the real furor in his face. But Adam just smirked and pulled away from Icarus.

“What should have been done six years ago. Killing this little runaway family once and for all. And I will find my Blake… She will be the one I will not kill.” Adam stated with a sickening grin. Icarus touched his Khopeshes, part of him wanted to cut Adam down, but he knew he had orders. He knew this operation was doomed for failure, and he needed to be the witness.

But seeing him do this? He knew Adam’s punishment was going to break the Horned and Hooved Maniac. But as Adam watched, he turned his eye towards the Horse Stables. “No! Don’t go out there.” He ever so slightly heard a little girl yell.

“Well, well… my darling… are we playing hide and seek?” He asked, dropping down from the tank and walking towards it.

“Adam? The hell are you doing now?” Icarus questioned.

“Keep destroying the house. I’ll be right back.” He arrogantly answered, making Icarus narrow his eyes and clench his hands into fists.

 

Blake

 

She kept her head low as the horses brayed and panicked, snorting as they tried to escape the barn. The constant gunfire and occasional explosions were startling the poor animals trapped inside. Blake stayed close to Amber, and she felt around the room, and she took cover. She then drew Gambol Shroud, holding it in its pistol form.

The hell am I gonna do? I can’t see… I might be able to walk around now but I can’t fight anymore… and… Adam… he’s here… he’s here…

Why won’t he just leave me alone?

“Stay close to me, okay?” Blake whispered, gently holding Amber’s hand. She felt around the room, touching one of the horses, but then the large double doors opened. The Horses neighed and they all suddenly galloped out, narrowly missing him as he stood there in the sunlight. Blake and Amber were hiding behind one of the worktables. She could hear the sound of the metal tools hanging from the walls clink against each other as the wind rushed inside. The gunfire was deafeningly loud, and Adam walked inside, closing the doors behind him.

He smirked sinisterly as he walked, the sound of his Grimm Hooves clopping were so loud in here. “Little girl? I can hear you… who were you talking to?” He asked as he looked around. “Is it my dear love, Blake Belladonna? You should be careful with her, she gets in your head… makes you think she is someone, when in fact she is just a pathetic coward. Nothing More. Nothing Less.”

Amber looked at Blake with concern, but Blake just hugged her close. Amber knew who Blake was, there was nothing Adam could say to prove otherwise, and besides – Adam Taurus was a known monster. Why would anyone believe a word that left his disgusting mouth? Blake listened carefully, using her Feline Ears to full effect, focusing past the gunfire outside, past the rattling tools inside the barn. Only the sound of his clopping hooves to figure out how close he was.

He tapped Wilt and Blush against the chains. “Hmm… these would do very nicely.” He softly said with a smirk, Blake shuddered with fear. She knew he wanted her alive… but she did not even want to try and even picture what he had in store for her. He then dragged his sword across the concrete floor, creating a long scraping sound that made Amber softly whimper with fear. But she noticed him glare in their direction, he couldn’t see them yet… but something caught his attention.

He sniffed the air, closing his eyes, both blue and red. The red eye scarred over and blinded by the S.D.C Brand seemed to glow as the sunlight shined upon it. He smiled as he stood in the light. “Perfume… did you think I would forget your scent, Blake?” He asked as he looked around.

Her heart sank. Fuck…

“Come on out, my darling. After everything you have done to me… this is the least you could do to make things right.” Adam softly spoke.

Everything I have done? You took everything from me! You always wanted control over me when we were together… it sickens me to think I actually loved you once.

“Last chance to come out.” Adam sung, but Blake stayed down with Amber. “Alright… suit yourself.”

Blake felt Amber’s hands grab hers, pulling her in a certain direction. Blake trusted her and moved, and they quickly but quietly moved behind the wall, using the stables as cover from him. Adam suddenly fired the shotgun in his Scabbard right where they were hiding, blowing a while in the worktable. He approached it and found nobody was there… but there were some strands of black hair, shorter black hair. “My, my… you’ve cut your hair. A new look? I guess if it doesn’t suit you, you will have plenty of time to grow it back.”

I’m never going back with you, you son of a bitch.

He walked around the corner, just as Amber and Blake hid behind one of the stables, and Amber watched him through the crack in the wooden planks. He moved around, and suddenly slashed straight through one of them, his hair and jacket glowed red, alongside the blade of Wilt and Blush. The room darkened black and red as well when he did it, turning the wood to ash. He did the same at ever stable, one by one, whistling a creepy song as he got closer and closer.

He scraped Wilt and Blush across the floor, and moved it up slowly, banging it against the chains with a smirk, approaching the stable they were hiding inside of. Blake held Amber close, there was nowhere they could run to now, they just had to close their eyes and accept it.

Then the gunfire stopped.

Adam paused and turned, he looked furious and stormed away from the stable and kicked the doors open with his hoofed foot. He stormed out there, and approached Icarus who was stood beside the tank, turning to him. “The hell are you doing? Keep firing!” Adam commanded.

“No! I ordered a sweep of the house; nobody is in there. We’re not wasting ammo on a house, Adam. Cinder is out there, and we all know what she is capable of. Everyone be ready, we’ve got one hell of a pissed off Fall Maiden out here now.” Icarus commanded, having more strength in his voice than Adam ever did.

He gritted his teeth with anger as he paced back and forth, but then he calmed his nerves and stood waiting whilst Feral Ones started to search the house for either their bodies, or them hiding.

Back in the Barn, Blake suddenly gasped when she felt a hand grab her shoulder. But Cinder hushed them. “It’s alright… Amber, sweetie? Are you okay?” She asked her with concern in her voice.

“Y-Yeah… that man… it’s him. Adam Taurus… the one who blinded Blake.” Amber stated, Blake didn’t even have to say it. Even if Adam didn’t even mention her name, she could have known immediately that it was him. Matched the descriptions Blake gave. Weiss and Vernal were right behind Cinder, and Weiss tended to Blake, checking her over for any injuries.

“You okay?” Weiss inquired.

“Y-Yeah… damn it…” Blake sighed. “He finally found me.”

“He’s not here for you… well… at the very least you’re not his and Icarus’ priority. They’re here for Pyrrha.” Cinder assured.

“What? How do you know?” Amber asked.

“I heard that bastard literally demand it of me. Right before he immediately opened fire on the house. We’ve gotta get out of here, get to the Airship and go.” Cinder explained.

“But this is our home.” Amber argued.

“Amber… honey… you need to listen to me. The house is on fire, and there are too many of them for me to beat. This isn’t going to be like it was back at the Branwen Tribe. Those two could easily match me, hell Adam could match me on his own in combat. And on top of all that we are up against trained killers with Anti-Aura tech.” Cinder explained.

“The Electrified Cables?” Weiss asked.

“Definitely. Even I won’t be able to stop them from taking me down with one of those if it hits me.” Cinder explained.

“If only Nora were here.” Blake sighed.

“Well… she’s not. We’ve gotta get to the Airship. Last I saw Oscar was in that Barn, he probably still is. Just waiting for a perfect opportunity. It’s how we taught him when he was a kid. Ambush has always been one of his greatest attacks.” Cinder explained. “Amber, Blake. The two of you need to get to the Airship as quietly as you can, go around the back.”

“Wait about the rest of you?” Amber asked with worry in her voice. Cinder looked at Weiss and Vernal. Weiss luckily had Myrtenaster on her at all times, ready for something like this to happen. They all did. Vernal spun Wind and Fire through her fingers.

“We’re right beside you.” Vernal assured.

“Where’s Pyrrha?” Blake asked.

“Underneath the house. We’ll get her out of there when we have an open window. But until then she’s a burden, she has no weapons to fight with. Only that snapped sword. Trust me, she’d be more useful down there than anywhere else.” Cinder explained, and Amber nodded her head as she stood with Blake, ready to get moving. Weiss and Vernal stood beside Cinder. Vernal took cover by the wall, and Weiss did the same on the other side.

Vernal furrowed her brow. “Wait… he’s spouting off again.” Vernal said, Cinder approached the wooden door and looked the crack between them, staring directly at Adam.

They all still think they are in the House.

“You mistook Killian’s mercy as weakness! Now I will show you strength and you may mistake it for brutality! There is no escape for any of you! I shall hunt you to the ends of Remnant and the end of time!” Adam yelled, pointing to the house.

You bastard… this isn’t on Pyrrha. This is on me. I was the one who brought you into all this, when I needed you and the White Fang to carry out the Attack on Beacon. And here you are, attacking my family and destroying my home.

I should have killed you a long time ago.

Time to make that right.

“I killed your friends! Your lovers! I enjoyed killing them!” Adam laughed.

“This bastard is really starting irritate me!” Cinder growled.

“And now I will enjoy killing every last one of ya!” Adam concluded, but Cinder’s eye ignited as she stood before the doors. The sky darkened with stormy clouds, Icarus noticed the rain start to fall on the ground and on his shoulder.

“Here we go…” Icarus sighed.

Oscar watched from his Barn, smirking as he extended the chains of his Hammers – finally naming them.

Thunderous Deception.

And it had a few new upgrades to boot.

Cinder roared, and a powerful lightning bolt eviscerated the wooden doors, and the rain fell hard upon the soldiers. Burning wood flew towards the Feral Ones and Adam spun around with wide eyes, cutting down the door which flew towards him with Wilt and Blush. She launched herself directly at Adam with rage.

Oscar burst through his door as well, launching Thunderous Deception towards the Feral Ones, smashing one of them in the head with the Head of the Chained Hammer, killing him instantly. He then clicked the button on the handle, activating the fire dust inside of it, spinning flames around the air, before slamming both hammers against the ground so hard it created a fiery explosion.

 

Cinder

 

Icarus’ wings extended outwards, and he drew his Khopeshes, spinning them through his fingers before blasting up into the air, hovering over their heads. Adam slammed Wilt and Blush against Cinder’s Obsidian Axe, and the two of them stared directly into each other’s damaged eyes. Cinder forced her Axe downwards with great effort, staggering Adam, and she swung her electrified fist up his jaw, creating a flash of lightning from the impact. Adam landed on both feet, but then shot forward with multiple black and red shadows of himself, hacking and slashing at her aura with savagery.

Cinder blocked a couple incoming blows but the third hit her aura, then he swung around and kicked her in the chest. The hoof created a loud cracking sound upon impact, and Cinder flew straight through the damaged wall of her house. It broke apart around her, and she tumbled across her carpet. She stared forward as Adam jumped inside and charged towards her with a demented laugh.

Cinder launched her axe towards him, but he rolled forward, narrowly dodging it and he suddenly grabbed her by the throat and ran with her, slamming her up against the wall. Cinder fell onto the floor, landing upon the hatch where Pyrrha was watching through a crack in the wood, seeing Cinder staring down at her… with those all too familiar burning flames around her eye.

“My precious Blake. Where is she?” Adam asked her with a smirk, Cinder gritted her teeth, suddenly launching a fireball directly at him. He drew Wilt and Blush, using the red blade to absorb the fire, causing his hair, clothes and blade to shine even brighter with red energy. Cinder formed two obsidian Falchions in her hands, and she pointed one at the madman.

“She does not belong to you, you fucking psychopath!” Cinder barked, Adam grinned, and drew Wilt and Blush Fully, pointing it at her as he circled her. They both lunged for each other, striking at one another with their swords. Cinder slashed at him, but he quickly darted back and forth, blocking her blows before suddenly slashing towards her gut. He then thrusted forward to try and run the sword through her, but she crossed the Falchions over one another, and caught the sword in the blades.

Cinder smirked, before suddenly swinging her swords upwards, breaking his stance, and backflipped flawlessly, kicking Adam up the jaw with both feet, and sticking the landing. Adam impacted against the ceiling, then Cinder flew towards him, and drove both swords down towards him, one of them shattered against Wilt and Blush, but then Cinder grabbed him by the throat and threw him into the next room. Fire started to burn more and more of the house down around them, and Cinder launched multiple icicles from thin air at him.

Adam cut one of them down from mid air, and then jumped off the side of the wall and drove the sword into the ground. The light in the world around them darkened as his hair, clothes and sword glowed bright red. He blasted raw energy towards her, which burned against her aura. Cinder stood her ground, then Adam shot forward once more, slashing across her aura, before throwing his Scabbard in the air and firing the shotgun into her face. Her aura flickered from that sudden strike, but Cinder stopped Wilt and Blush from striking her once more but forming a Magma Replica of Milo, stopping him in his tracks.

She then spun the Spear through her fingers, before dropkicking him in the chest and throwing the spear directly at him. Adam slashed the sword forwards, and the Spear cut clean in two upon impact, before crumbling into embers around his sword. Cinder felt the heat build and build inside of their home, and the ceiling started to crumble as flames crawled down towards them both. Planks of smouldering wood collapsed before them, smoke filled the house slowly and flames began to creep across walls.

“You keep on running from your past, but you can only run for so long. Salem should have done this a very long time ago.” Adam stated.

“Did she even command you to do this or did you come here just for Blake, you animal?” Cinder snarled.

“Salem is nothing more than a liar, filled with unfulfilled promises.” Adam stated.

Cinder couldn’t help but laugh at him. “You sound like a child with a wounded ego. Oh Mommy Salem, I didn’t get the toy I wanted so I’m gonna whine about it. Salem’s gonna punish your ass something terrible after this… this isn’t how she operates.” Cinder stated, knowing all too well what happens to those who either defy her… or fail her.

“I don’t care about Salem or about what she wants. I just want who belongs to me.” Adam stated.

“Then you’re gonna beg her to kill you… because you will regret what you have done today. That is of course if I don’t kill you first for destroying our home and attacking my family!” Cinder roared, she formed her Falchions once more, and she threw one of them towards Adam, but he deflected it with his Scabbard, before firing it at her once again. Cinder blocked the incoming shotgun shell shrapnel with a small wall of flames, before sprinting towards him.

She punched him in the face and then Adam blocked her sword with Wilt and Blush, pushing his hand against the back of the blade, forcing her backwards. Cinder then ignited fire from her feet and the two of them flew straight through the window behind them, crashing into the Cow Pen outside. Cinder grabbed Adam and threw him against the fence, so hard that it shattered. The Cows stampeded over him, beating his aura down one hoof at a time, and eventually the herd all fled away into the woods.

Bye-Bye Cows…

It hurt to see everything they built here come crumbling down, but at least all the innocent farm animals got to escape. Now it was just her family and their dog, who was obediently waiting by the Airship.

Cinder turned, to see Icarus flying across the sky whilst he fought against Oscar, and Weiss was battling against the Feral Ones. Oscar roared, launching Thunderous Deception up towards Icarus as he fired his submachine guns down at him. The Hammer wrapped around one of his legs and Oscar yanked him down from the air. Icarus grunted, crashing down into the ground. He tumbled towards Oscar who rushed towards him, but swiftly spun his Khopeshes through his fingers and swung his mechanical wing directly into Oscar. The skilled Ex-Highwayman flew backwards, crashing back into the grass.

Icarus flew directly towards Oscar and grabbed him by the side of his face, dragging him into the floor, slamming him against the soil repeatedly, before he drove both feet into his chest. He stomped against his chest and landed on the grass ahead of him with his wings extended outwards. Oscar gritted his teeth, with dirt and grass stuck against the side of his head.

“Careful with his wings, the feathers are sharp.” Ozpin advised.

“Shut up.” Oscar mumbled under his breath, trying to focus on the battle at hand.

“I do wish it hadn’t come to this. But I do as my Queen demands!” Icarus yelled, and he suddenly blasted towards him and swung the two Khopeshes down at Oscar, spinning through the air and landing behind him. Oscar narrowly dodged them, and Icarus launched one of them towards him, but Oscar retracted his hammers and smashed the heads of them against the Khopesh, knocking it out of the air. But he opened his hands and the Gravity Dust in his gauntlets summoned it returned right back into his hands.

Icarus sprinted towards Oscar, blasting faster with the jetpack built into his wings, and he slashed not only his Khopeshes at him, but also his large mechanical wings. The razor-sharp feathers sliced through the air and across his aura. But Oscar dodged most of his strikes. Oscar jumped over his head and fired one of the hammers down towards him. He then wrapped the chain around his neck and slammed Icarus down against the ground with force, before jumping above him once more and swinging his hammer down towards his head with all his strength.

Icarus rolled aside, before slashing across Oscar’s face with hid Khopesh. Oscar tumbled across the floor, staring back at Icarus as he jumped in the air and his wings opened up once more, flying directly at him. He withdrew the Khopeshes, switching suddenly to multiple grenades he threw towards Oscar, and his wings opened back up as he hovered before him, drawing his standard issue Submachine Guns once more, firing them repeatedly at him. His thruster and wings kept him hovering in position, swinging them back and forth over and over.

Oscar retreated but the grenades exploded and threw him against the wall so hard his green aura flickered. He groaned, struggling to get back up. “We need to retreat, Oscar. You cannot win this fight, not against him.”

“Shut up… I can beat him.” Oscar strained.

“No you cannot. He is an elite fighter; you were merely a bandit. Yes you were indeed trained by Raven. But he was trained in the art of killing for his entire life. You are no match for a man like that. You have to leave this place.” Ozpin laid it plain for him to understand.

“But… it’s our home…”

“And it will become your grave if you stay here. What’s more important? A house or your family? We need to flee.” Ozpin explained, but Icarus was not attacking him. Oscar stared at him and he pushed his hands against the floor.

He turned to see Weiss still battling against the Feral Ones on her own. She was handling it, but she knew this was merely prolonging the inevitable. They were never going to beat them all, there was an army of them. They had to get away.

Weiss shot across the road, driving Myrtenaster directly into the heart of one soldier, before ripping it out and jumping off his dying corpse, blood sprayed from his body, then she blasted across the road and cut through the necks of four soldiers. The blood splattered across the side of her face, but Weiss was no longer that girl who did not want to kill anymore.

These people… killed so many people… and took her boyfriend from her.

The time for mercy was at an end in her eyes, and these people deserved everything they got. Weiss jabbed another soldier repeatedly in the chest with her Fencing Sword, poking hole after hole into his body. Vernal was fighting alongside her now since she was occupied against some other soldiers across the field from her. Vernal launched one of her Discus Blade Guns towards the soldiers, beheading two of them and shooting three more in the head. But then one of the soldiers firing a grenade at her. The explosion threw Vernal across the ground, and her aura flickered. However it did not break, and she swiftly blasted two constant lasers around her in a perfect twirl, cutting the soldiers around her clean in two, killing the ten of them instantly.

Weiss drove Myrtenaster through the eye of one soldier and used him as a meat shield against the soldiers that were constantly firing their guns at them, shredding his body. Weiss reached down to the grenade dangling from his belt and he bit onto the pin and yanked it off, throwing it down the road towards them. The explosion threw multiple soldiers up into the air with a collective scream.

“Vernal! Cover me! I’m gonna get us some help!” Weiss called out, stabbing Myrtenaster down into the ground, closing her eyes. Vernal stood beside her, firing shot after shot like a Western Shooter, nailing each of the soldiers that rushed them every single time. She kept Weiss covered as the giant Glyph formed and spun on the ground behind them, and the Arma Gigas rose from it. It held its huge sword in its hands as Vernal threw Wind towards the soldiers, and it returned to her like a boomerang.

The Arma Gigas sprinted towards the soldiers, crushing one of the trucks, and it swung the sword across the ground, killing multiple savage Feral Ones in the impact. One of the Gunships hovered above the Arma Gigas, firing the machine guns down at it. The Arma Gigas took the impact of the bullets with its armour before grabbing onto one of the crushed Military Jeeps and throwing it directly at the Gunship. The Airship erupted into flames from the impact, and both burning wreckages came plummeting down in a giant fireball.

The Tank suddenly shot the Arma Gigas in the back which dropped it down onto one knee. But it was not destroyed yet, six years ago that shot would have destroyed it, but Weiss had become much stronger thanks to being able to meditate and train herself in her free time. The Arma Gigas raised the sword and used it to block the shells fired from the tank as it marched towards it, and then when it was close enough, the giant Knight grabbed the barrel of the tank and yanked the turret clean off the vehicle. The Arma Gigas used the Turret like a Hammer, smashing the Tank like it was a nail, breaking it apart, before throwing the Turret directly into one of the other Gunships, blowing it to pieces. The Arma Gigas finished the Tank off by driving the sword straight through the Tank, hitting the fuel cells which led to a powerful explosion.

The Feral Ones looked terrified of the Arma Gigas, but then suddenly Icarus flew towards it, and slashed his Khopeshes under the arms of the knight, injuring it. He flew back and forth, slashing it arm by arm, cutting them off, before he flew up into the air and held multiple grenades in his hands. He activated them and dove downwards, cutting a hole into the light and ramming them into the hole, before diving down and landing on the ground. The grenades exploded from within its chest and travelled up into its head.

Weiss screamed in agony, pressing her hands against her head. The major problem with her putting so much energy into using the Arma Gigas was that it felt like she could feel its pain. She nearly passed out, but Vernal caught her. Icarus walked towards Vernal and Weiss, and Vernal fired a powerful laser towards him, but he raised one of his wings, still walking forward. The wing deflected the laser, then she launched her other gun towards him, but he batted it aside with the other wing.

He grabbed Vernal by the throat and stared down at Weiss, grabbing her by her long-braided tail of icy white hair. “Come on.” He commanded, dragging them towards the front of the nearly completely aflame house. He threw them across the front garden, pointing his machine guns at them.

Oscar was on his knees as well, beaten to a pulp by Icarus after Oscar tried to fight back despite Ozpin’s warning, during Weiss and Vernal’s assault against the Feral Ones. Oscar spat out blood, hearing him once more. “We still have a chance.” Ozpin assured.

“There is no chance…” Oscar wheezed.

“Blake and Pyrrha are still out there. Cinder too.” Ozpin said.

“Blake’s Blind… and Pyrrha’s got no weapons.” Oscar said, he turned, and he saw Adam with Cinder looking at them with wide eyes. But then they realised she was looking past them.

They turned to see Feral Ones with guns to Blake and Amber’s heads, taking them out of the Garage. “GET YOUR HANDS OFF HER!” Cinder screamed, but then she felt Wilt and Blush kiss her neck.

“Not another step, unless you want to see her brains be splattered over this nice garden of yours.” Adam threatened. Cinder trembled with fear for Amber’s safety, but then Adam saw her… Blake. He smirked as he forced Cinder to the middle of her family on their knees. Blake was forced down onto one knee and he crouched down in front of her, gently caressing her cheek. Blake shuddered, looking away. “Well… look at you. If there is one thing I can compliment you for… it is that you are still as beautiful as I remember.” He said, before rising back up and standing behind her, grabbing her by her short hair and pulling her head back, so then she was looking forward. “Now… Eyes up. So to speak.” He sneered.

“I wish things hadn’t gone the way they did, this could have all been avoided.” Icarus said, looking directly at Adam since he was the one who started this whole thing. All their dead soldiers and spent resources was on his order. “So we’re gonna try this again. Cinder Fall – Killian came here recently, and he politely asked you to give up Pyrrha Nikos. But you lied to us and therefore you lied to Salem. That… is something that cannot go unpunished. However I do know that you do have a weakness… one that will give her up.” Icarus explained as he walked around her.

He gestured to the Feral Ones and they brought something out of the truck whilst twenty soldiers went into the house to find anything else. They knew she had to be here somewhere.

Cinder stared at what was being brought out – it looked like a coffin. But when opened, they saw the Seer rise from within it. Adam’s eyes widened with dream because Salem’s face appeared in the Dome. Her eyes red and she did not look a day older since the ten years since Cinder ran, or even more lately, the six years since they spoke in the ruins of Beacon Academy. “Cinder.” Salem greeted, everyone felt a light sense of dread whenever she spoke, and Adam felt it stronger than ever.

She knew… she knew the whole time…

That realisation made him feel sick, because that meant he was going to be punished for this. “This does disappoint me, it really does. I was hoping you would hold your end of the bargain we made. I held mine, Adam Taurus knew the whole time where Blake was hiding yet he never dared try until now.” Salem stated, the Seer slightly turned towards him, and the glare she sent his way made him pale. “But… this can all be restored. Give me Pyrrha Nikos, and this does not have to become… worse… than it already is.”

Cinder stared at her, then glanced at Weiss who shook her head desperately. Cinder then stared at Salem. “You’re too late. She ran, she told me she was done hiding and was coming for all of you next for what happened to Jaune.” Cinder stated, remembering what Pyrrha actually said to her earlier. Salem stared at her and she sighed, pinching the bridge of her brow.

“Okay…” Salem sounded sad, almost. “Icarus. Use the girl.”

Icarus suddenly grabbed Amber by the hair, and she screamed in pain. “Ow get off me!” Amber screamed, before he threw her against the floor so hard it gave her cut on her cheek which drew blood.

“No! Get off her!” Cinder screamed desperately. Her eye ignited but then she saw Icarus swiftly draw that Khopesh and hold it against her throat, able to slit it with one swift motion if she tried anything. Cinder turned her desperate gaze to the Seer once more. “Salem, please no. I’m begging you, do whatever you want to me. Just don’t hurt her, okay? That’s all I am asking of you. Please, take me for a punishment. But don’t hurt her.” Cinder begged as tears started to well up in her eye.

“You have ten seconds. Where is Pyrrha Nikos?” Salem warned.

“Okay, okay! She’s in the house, there’s a cellar in the living room. I stowed her away there, I swear to god! Now let her go!” Cinder begged, and Adam turned to one of his soldiers.

“We searched the whole place, no sign of any Hatch.” The soldier said.

“Five seconds.” Salem warned once more.

“I’m telling you the truth! She’s in there! Let her go!” Cinder screamed.

“Ow… it hurts… p-please…” Amber cried as she felt the blade cut against her skin, feeling his boot pressing against her back was hurting really badly too.

“I’m telling the fucking truth! There is a hatch! It’s a wine cellar! Please don’t hurt my girl!” Cinder screamed desperately.

The soldiers walked in the burning house looking around, unaware of the hatch that was covered in smouldering rubble. And inside was Pyrrha, her eyes darted back and forth as she heard the desperation in Cinder’s voice. And Amber crying. “Moooooom!” Amber cried out, and Pyrrha felt something incredibly cold a dark overcome her as her eyes shimmered a dark purple behind the green.

Soldiers were right on top of her and they didn’t even know it.

Salem stared at Cinder then the Seer turned to Icarus. “Kill her.” Salem commanded.

“NO!” Cinder screamed, and Icarus went to slit her throat.

Until the howls of Pyrrha Nikos erupted from the cellar.

 

Pyrrha

 

A massive pulse of dark purple energy erupted from beneath the house, the floor and the roof of the entire house erupted into the sky, and the Feral Ones screamed in shock and agony as their bodies crumbled into ashes as the Pulse passed through them. Salem turned with Icarus and Adam, her eyes widened… and Oscar could feel the disbelief in Ozpin in his own mind.

“Impossible…” Ozpin gasped.

The pulse wiped out the soldiers, reducing them to ashes. Their screams echoed around them, and they saw Pyrrha stood in the flames as a shadow that was not her own was cast behind her, with curved horns. She leapt through the wall as it exploded, and she rolled across the floor, using her polarity and yanking an Automatic Shotgun from the hands of a Feral One, and she spun around, firing shot after shot at them. Their heads exploded into bloody fountains.

“HERE I AM!” Pyrrha roared, before yanking a shovel from the floor and launching it directly into the chest of one of the soldiers. Pyrrha continued to fire, hitting Adam in the chest which threw him backwards. Icarus folded his wings forward, but Cinder blasted all the elements into him, which sent him flying into the barn that Blake and Amber were hiding inside of earlier. Cinder immediately grabbed Amber and carried her, checking her cheek.

“Are you okay?” She worried, and Amber stammered.

“Y-Yeah.” Amber sniffled, still in shock from Icarus being milliseconds from killing her. Cinder and Weiss helped Blake up after the shockwave knocked her over, yet it didn’t even hurt her. It was focused on the Feral Ones. It did not kill them all, merely the ones in and closest to the house. They looked at Pyrrha with shock, as they saw… someone completely different.

Pyrrha dodged their incoming strikes, stopping the sword of one of the Feral Ones with her Polarity, and she yanked the sword from his grasp and threw it into his face. She then held her hands out to one soldier who aimed at her, and he started to wail in agony. He started to rise from the floor… and Pyrrha’s outline was surrounded by a dark black shadow… using her Polarity at its darkest form. She held him by the iron in his blood, and she roared with fury, and ripped him in half, spreading blood across the floor.

Pyrrha grabbed his rifle and fired shot after shot at the enemies, before throwing it on the floor when she was out of ammo and rammed the snapped blade of Crocea Mors into the throat of another soldier.

Who are you?

This was not the Pyrrha Nikos they knew, and Oscar couldn’t stop watching her, as if he and Ozpin both felt the same feeling. “Run! They’re gonna kill you! Get to the Airship!” Pyrrha yelled as Adam sprinted towards her, but Pyrrha lifted the corpse of a soldier by his armour and threw him at Adam so hard it knocked him on the floor. Icarus stood back up and glared at her, snarling deeply in a metallic growl. He fired his Submachine Guns at her, but she held out her hand, stopping the metal bullets with her Polarity, before blasting all of them right back at her enemy. He folded his wings together, stopping them from hitting him.

She then held her hand towards a piece of metal from the house and she launched it towards Icarus, and it stabbed straight through one of his wings, pinning him to the wall of the burning house. He roared in rage as he tried to break free, but that wing was busted and needed repairs. Pyrrha ran with the others, but then another Tank roared towards them, firing towards the Garage Shed where the Airship was waiting for them.

Pyrrha felt the Darkness come over her once more and she screamed with rage, and the Polarity forced down onto the Tank. They watched as the barrel started to bend backwards, and they heard the agonised screams of the soldiers inside as the tank crushed them slowly. The tank shells in the vehicle detonated which caused the tank to blow itself to pieces.

But then… Pyrrha felt her body weaken, and everything went dark as she collapsed and passed out from the overuse of all that power. The last thing she felt was Vernal and Weiss dragging her to the Airship.

 

Adam

 

Adam shoved the dead soldier from his body, and he watched with wide eyes as the Airship broke through the roof and Cinder spun the ship around and fired its machine guns down at them before it turned and blasted away from the Farm. Inside of the Cockpit, everyone looked back with sad eyes as they watched their home collapse, and the flames consume what remained. Cinder wiped a tear from her eye as she flew the Airship, looking back once, but not again, focusing on their survival and nothing more.

Now they were hunted by Salem.

Once again.

Adam could not describe the anger he felt, and he could do nothing but roar with rage as he watched the Airship get away from them. And his prey managed to escape – once again. Failure had become quite the trademark for Adam Taurus.

“I bet you wish you could see my face right now.” Icarus snarled, Adam turned and stared at him. Icarus yanked the pole from his wing and slammed it down on the ground. The wing was completely busted, sparks bled from the mechanical feathers and he knew that it needed serious repairs. He could feel his hairs stand on end… and he turned to see the Seer. Salem’s face was no longer there, but the clicking Seer was just glaring directly at him before it just floated away.

“Well, well… Mr Taurus. I’ve heard you’ve really cocked up, haven’t you?” Watts asked him suddenly, he heard him on the comms, and he touched it on his ear.

“Watts? How did you…”

“Quiet, boy. Get your ass back to Evernight with Icarus. We are going to see if we can try and clean up the mess you have caused.” Watts stated.

“We?” Adam stammered, then he heard Tyrian’s insane laugh appear.

“You didn’t think our Queen kept us out of the loop, did you?” Tyrian laughed, and Adam winced. He was gonna pay big time for this screw up, he knew it in his bones.

“Try not to mess anything else up.” Hazel also said. Adam looked up as he saw the Gyrfalcon roar overhead, the massive Four-Winged Assault Bullhead named – the Gyrfalcon.

And it was hunting them down.

They were not out of the woods yet.

 

Cinder

 

Cinder had no idea that Watts, Tyrian and Hazel were following their trail, but she kept on flying across Vale. Oscar was crouched down in the cargo bay beside Pyrrha who was still unconscious.

Weiss, Blake and Vernal were in here as well, with Amber asleep on Vernal’s lap whilst Cinder was flying them somewhere they could repair the wing of the Airship. It got damaged when they flew through the roof, wouldn’t take long to patch, but they needed somewhere safe to fix the injury.

“What the hell happened back there? I have never… ever… seen Pyrrha like that before. And what did she do? Her semblance… it’s polarity… but those guys turned to ash.” Weiss explained with disbelief in her voice.

“And she lifted a guy off the floor and ripped him in half… I thought it was only metal she could lift?” Vernal asked.

“We’ve seen her do that before… but she never went that far. It was like she was a totally different person.” Blake stated as she gently caressed Amber’s head as she slept with plasters on her cheek and neck.

“We’ll ask her when she wakes up. We need to get somewhere safe to lay low so I can repair the wing… then we go somewhere I know is safe. Where Salem cannot find us.” Cinder explained.

“Where?” Weiss asked.

Cinder looked at them. “The Summit’s Claim. When I was with the Rogues and the Tribe, we went there on our way to get Amber back from Lavinia Vasillias. Leader of the Vasillias Cartel… they always take in people in need. If anyone will help us, it will be them.” Cinder assured.

“I hope so…” Vernal sighed.

Oscar stared at Pyrrha, and he heard Ozpin say something… something that was unnerving yet familiar.

“I have seen that kind of power only once before… it scared me before… and it definitely still scares me now.” Ozpin said.

They all saw it for a few moments.

Her shadow… it was not her own…

… it was the Brother of Darkness.

 

 

Chapter 10: The Gyrfalcon

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

Who am I?

What have I become? I killed all those people… without hesitation… I ripped a man in half with my semblance… I didn’t even know I was capable of such horrors. I never wished I could be… what is wrong with me?

What is happening to me?

The dark plane surrounded her once more, and she awoke here – trapped in her dreams – laid on the black water-soaked floor. Swiftly she sat upright, emerald irises darting around this infinite land of nothingness, only finding him there. The Brother of Darkness, yet the other Brother was nowhere to be seen. To be honest, there was hardly anything to see at all, it was darker than before.

“What was that? The hell did you do to me?” Pyrrha questioned.

“I gave you the power you needed to carry out your mission. I used your body like a… canister… if you will. All your pain, your anguish? They are perfect conduits for destruction, and you unleashed it perfectly. So long… so long it has been since I witnessed such carnage.” Darkness sounded like he was in bliss at witnessing all that death, and Pyrrha furrowed her brow.

“You used me…”

“Of course I did. You are our… proxy… a tool to use as we see fit.”

“I am no tool, not for you or your brother. I just want him back.”

“And if your wishes can never be granted?”

“Then I will die trying to avenge him.” Pyrrha’s voice hardened when she said those words, but the Brother of Darkness just chortled behind her. She felt his cold dark purple hand grip her shoulder.

“The great illusion of those in mourning then vengeance will ease their pain.” Pyrrha could not take anymore, and she gritted her teeth with rage, and she swung around to punch at him. But her fist just swung straight through him. She looked around as he vanished, but she could still feel his presence… it was not a feeling someone could mistake.

“I demand you to tell me what is happening here! No more cryptic bullshit! Tell me right now! Why now? Why have you only just decided to try and stop Salem? She has been around for so long; you’ve had plenty of chances!” Her voice echoed through the darkness, but as she paced back and forth, she turned to see him stood there, with his arms behind her back and his faceless face staring directly at her.

“Careful, Child Spartan. One demanded things of her creators before, and things did not go the way she intended.” He warned. Pyrrha stared straight at him, she felt nothing but hatred for him. She heard the stories, he was the one who made the Grimm, and from everything she had seen and heard from him so far… it all appeared to be true. No lies whatsoever… the full truth.

And that was more frightening than anything.

“I’m not afraid of you… but I will not let you just use me however you wish. I don’t trust you… you or your brother.”

He tilted his horned head. “You shouldn’t… yet.” Darkness replied in a dark voice, it send shivers down the back of her neck.

Pyrrha calmed her nerves as she stared at the Brother of Darkness who walked around her. “Why now?” She asked again.

“I have ferried dead across this plain of existence since beings existed to die.” He said, his voice echoed the voices of those she knew and loved. From Jaymes Ickford to Jaune’s… and so many other voices she could not even recognise. “Without death, life has no purpose. All would halt, all would slow to nothing. Life has a way of tilting the hourglass. A clock, that all must be done by.”

“What does that even mean?” Pyrrha questioned.

“It means… that one has tipped the hourglass. Salem. Her existence endangers all life, for she is life with no end, and with a desire to bring nothing but unending annihilation. Part of me admires her view of things, to see nothing but fire and death. But her actions go too far, and she will destroy everything my brother and I have built.” Darkness explained as he stood over shoulder.

"She meddles, forces purloin and not meant for her hands. To cheat death, tampering across plains of reality? Unacceptable. We made her impervious to death to teach her the importance of life. Instead it's made her strong, callous... vengeful. We were wrong. Her hourglass has stilled. But Remnant's? The sands are gathering at the bottom. The horizon is dark with turmoil under her eclipse."

“Wait… you did what?” Pyrrha gasped with wide eyes, she spun around as he vanished once more. “What did you do to her?”

He did not answer, but she heard what he said plain as day. They are the reason that she cannot die? They are the ones responsible for all the things that has happened?

The bastards…

“You… you are the ones who have caused all this death. Because of your own mistakes?” Pyrrha questioned.

“Mistakes…” Darkness chuckled; his voice continued to pulsate around her.

“So many are dead because of you! You might not want to admit it to my face, but this is all on you and your damn brother. You made her this way… you robbed her of her life. Just as you robbed everyone of theirs. Of me and mine I could’ve had.” Pyrrha snarled viciously.

“It's a fickle thing; Life. Not long ago, did you turn your back on them, On comradery. Ran into the icy clutches of death, with little but a glance backward. And now, you plead. To cling, to life. His soul is lost. Scattered to the winds. So tell me... Did you worry yourself with his heart then when you ran up that tower... to die?”

Pyrrha fell silent, she could not give him an answer.

“I thought not.”

“Shut up…” Pyrrha closed her eyes with grief, because deep down she knew he was right. There was once a time where she gave up the life she had… something that back then she never had much regard for. Yet now she judged the Brothers for whatever it was they did to Salem?

Pyrrha’s mind was buzzing with questions and confusion. “But the game is not over. Mistakes can be learned from, to harden them. And like Salem cannot die… you returned from the grave. Perhaps that is all we need.”

“Perhaps, a champion? To flip the hourglass back whence it turned? Hmm.”

Like Valravn, his words were like a complicated game, always trying to understand his meaning. But those final words stuck with her, then she saw a bright light shimmer from the darkness, and it consumed her.

She gasped, suddenly waking back up from her state of unconsciousness. She felt a cold wetness on her cheek and a hot breath, only to find it was Vicky, Amber’s pet Golden Retriever, who was licking her face gently. Pyrrha sat upright and the cute dog stepped out of the way, gently bumping her soft head against Pyrrha’s cheek. Pyrrha turned and she pushed her hand onto the rubble… immediately realising where she was.

“Bring back memories?” The voice of Cinder Fall asked, Pyrrha turned around to see that Cinder was repairing the Airship. It was damaged from when it took off through the roof of the shed it was covered in. Pyrrha looked around, seeing the heartbroken faces of the family who just lost their home. Oscar was sat with Amber; he had his jacket around her to keep her warm, whilst Vernal kept her eyes peeled, making sure they weren’t followed. Blake was sat down nearby, and Weiss was also on the Perimeter, getting her strength back.

Pyrrha looked back at Cinder, and there was a stern glare from the Fall Maiden. The unease was hanging in the air, it could be sensed from a mile off. “We shouldn’t stay here for too long. The Grimm could be on their way.” Weiss stated.

“I’ve nearly got it.” Cinder assured.

Oscar gently held Amber close as she sat there, sniffling as she rubbed her sore cheek. “Hey, leave it. You don’t want it to hurt any more than it already does.” Oscar softly said.

“Y-Yeah I know… I’m sorry.”

“You’ve got nothing to apologise for.”

“Speaking of apologies.” Cinder finally said it, Pyrrha could see it coming a mile away. She lowered her welder and stared directly at her, picking up her cloth to wipe the sweat off her cheek.

“Cinder, now is not the time.” Blake said.

“Oh I disagree. Now is the perfect time.” Cinder stated, throwing the cloth on the floor. “I let you stay – despite knowing it would bring hell upon our home. It could have gotten my family killed, my little girl.” Cinder listed. “Yet I still took the risk – but you still have not told us how the hell you are possibly alive right now. So no more bullshit. You died here, and you came back here. I saw your body… you were dead, impaled. How the fuck did you come back to life?” Cinder questioned, and Pyrrha looked at her, before looking at everyone else.

Nobody was trying to stop Cinder. In fact, Weiss looked surprised that Cinder was not going to just explode at Pyrrha for luring Salem back to their home. It had nothing to do with that, only with Pyrrha’s Mysterious Resurrection.

Pyrrha sat there and she closed her eyes, then opened them to see the Brother of Darkness leant against the destroyed statue of Thaddeus Rex. “You wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“Well I wouldn’t have believed that you came back from the dead until I saw your fucking face show up at my doorstep.” Cinder stated. “So try me.”

Pyrrha blew out a shaky breath, seeing also the Brother of Light as well, stood beside his brother with his arms behind his back. “I was dead… and I found myself in this… place. A Dark Cold Place. And I met him… the Brother of Darkness.”

Never before had a silence felt so deafening.

“Come again?” Vernal asked with wide eyes.

“Like the one from the Fairy Tale?” Amber asked, not noticing Oscar struggling for some reason. He started to rub his head.

I knew the power the second I saw it. Allow me to speak through you, Oscar. It is time I reveal myself to them as well.

They deserve to know.

Oscar was not sure what to make of Ozpin yet, but he knew he was on their side. He could feel his honesty. Oscar sighed.

Okay… do it…

His eyes shone gold, and it expression changed completely, becoming someone totally different to who he once was. “The hell are you talking about?” Vernal grilled.

“It’s no fairy tale, and I am not lying. He was there and he was the one who brought me back from the grave.” Pyrrha explained. “He and his Brother have chosen me to be their… Champion… against Salem.” Pyrrha explained, gods she knew how ridiculous all this sounded.

Cinder looked at Vernal. “You believe any of this crap?”

“Hell no.” Vernal scoffed.

“She’s telling the truth.” Ozpin spoke, everyone spun around… it was Oscar’s voice, but he sounded so different. His accent sounded different… and it even sounded like there was another voice speaking behind his real one. Like an echo that was not his own.

“Uh… Oscar?” Weiss stammered with confusion.

Amber waved her hand in front of Oscar’s face. “Hello?”

Ozpin smiled through Oscar’s face. “Hello.”

“Ah… that’s… really weird. Oscar why are you being so… weird?” Amber asked.

“Because Oscar has… handed over the controls… so to speak. He is still here at present, just taking a backseat.” Ozpin explained. Weiss, Blake and Pyrrha listened to his words, and even Cinder seemed to recognise it.

“Professor… Ozpin?” Pyrrha gasped, her eyes wide. Ozpin turned to her and smiled.

“Hello again, Pyrrha Nikos. It seems you and I have something in common…” Ozpin explained, Vernal and Amber just looked at each other, completely astounded.

“What the hell is going on?” Cinder panted as she paced back and forth. “Why can’t people just stay dead like they used to?”

“How… is this possible? How are you here? Why are you talking through Oscar?” Weiss stammered, stumbling over her words.

“Well I can assure you that Oscar has not been keeping this from you. He only found out about our… bonding, so to speak… today. Prior to Adam’s attack on your Farmstead. For the past six years my soul were binding together… hence his migraines. Only recently did I become more aware of my surroundings, and I waited to introduce myself until I felt I was filled in enough on the world I returned to.” Ozpin explained.

I swear to the gods, if you humiliate me, I will find a way to kill you for good.

“I understand this must be very perplexing.”

“To put it mildly.” Blake scoffed.

“Yes… I am so sorry for everything you have endured. Everyone you have… lost.” Ozpin said, looking at Pyrrha, then Weiss and Blake.

“It’s not your fault.” Weiss stated.

“Isn’t it?” Cinder asked him, her arms crossed, staring him down.

“No it isn’t. This is Salem, not him.” Weiss defended.

“I appreciate your kindness, Miss Schnee – but I am afraid that Cinder is right. It is my fault.” He admitted. “I once told Ruby Rose that I had made more mistakes than any man, woman and child on this planet. And… I think I can safely say… that was no exaggeration.” Ozpin explained, placing his hands together.

Even now, hearing Ruby’s name made both Blake and Weiss feel pain in their hearts, believing she was dead. “I knew from the moment Miss Nikos created that pulse, and turned those Feral Ones to dust, that it was the power of the Brother of Darkness… because I had seen that power before. I knew that it was them who were responsible for her return.”

“But… Pyrrha Nikos is not the only one the Brothers Grimm reached out to and brought back from death to carry out their deeds.”

“What do you mean?” Vernal asked.

“My name… my old and forgotten name… was Ozma. I came from a time which now is only categorized by ruins and fossils. I fell, but after I died Salem became the monster we know today, and the Brothers Grimm chose me to return as their Champion, just like you, Miss Nikos. Ever since, I have died and reincarnated into another person. Whether or not they had the same views as I… to try and unite the world to fight against Salem. To show that she is wrong. The Professor Ozpin you met was not my first form… and clearly… was not my last.” Ozpin explained, bowing his head. “It is… an extremely strenuous process… on everyone involved.”

All of this… it was a lot to take in.

Pyrrha stood up and walked over to Ozpin and sat down next to him. “Did you… wake up in the same place as I did? That place of Darkness? Where he was waiting for me?”

“No… I found myself in a shining realm… and I saw the Brother of Light. It seems both sides have chosen their champions.” Ozpin stated.

“Have they done this before? Had two Champions?” Pyrrha inquired.

“No… this… this is very out of the ordinary, not what I was expecting from the Brother of Darkness. He… he never seemed to be extremely interested in what I was resurrected for. I sometimes spoke with him, but I mainly saw the Elder Brother. So the fact he was the one who resurrected you is… genuinely concerning.”

“Why?” Cinder asked.

“Because that means that they are growing desperate. Desperate enough that even Darkness is helping his own Brother try and right the wrongs they left behind here.” Ozpin explained to them.

“Two Gods… who are desperate? That’s not a good sign.” Cinder said with concern in her voice as she paced back and forth.

“I know this all must sound… ridiculous and untrue. But I am not lying to any of you…” Ozpin assured, but he stopped, and his eyes widened. They seemed confused at first, but then they heard it as well. Pyrrha lifted her head and turned around as the deep guttural engine of an incoming Airship grew louder.

They saw it flying overhead, headed straight for the Ruins of Beacon Academy.

The Gyrfalcon.

It was massive, three times the size of a normal Bullhead, with four huge rectangular thrusters, and armed to the teeth. From here they could see two internally operated turrets, alongside countless missiles, machine guns and bomb bay doors. This thing was built for war and could wipe out entire platoons in seconds. It also had a shifting camouflage, one that faded away, revealing the steel grey and golden paint that originally covered it. The thrusters created a terrifying roar, like a monster making its presence known to all life in the area. A deep bellowing growl.

“Oh fuck…” Cinder gasped. “The Gyrfalcon… it’s Watts. And I doubt it’s just him.”

“Gyrfalcon?” Pyrrha asked.

“Yeah, thing’s been with Watts long before they ever brought me into the mix. And I’ve seen what it is capable of, that thing could easily kill us all.” Cinder assured.

“I remember it… when we were at Vacuo. It was the ship that Hazel and Adam escaped onto.” Pyrrha said.

“Even I can remember it…” Blake admitted.

“Get the Airship fixed, Cinder. We’ll hold them off.” Vernal stated, readying her weapons, but Ozpin held his hand out.

“Wait… it’s landing.” Ozpin stated. “I will speak with him; Watts most likely wants to try and capture Pyrrha without conflict.”

“Wait a second, Salem may not know you can reincarnate. I never knew.” Cinder said.

“That’s because she never told you. Trust me, she knows. She has killed my hosts many times in the past to try and stop me. I think she expected the Relic of Destruction to end me forever… but clearly she was wrong.” Ozpin explained.

“Well then you definitely shouldn’t. If Watts knows, then he will definitely come after us.” Cinder stated.

“He’s gonna come after us anyway.” Pyrrha said, standing up with Ozpin. “I will go with you.”

“Come on… this is a trap. This is Arthur Watts we’re talking about.” Blake said.

“I know, which is why Weiss and Vernal with cover us.” Pyrrha said, Vernal drew her weapons and nodded her head with a smirk. Weiss rolled her neck, and her Aura was now back in the green.

“If he tries anything, we’ll take him out.” Vernal assured.

“This is insane…” Cinder sighed. But then she gathered herself and knew this was the best course of action. “Okay, Blake and Amber. Get in the Airship, I need to finish the repairs as fast as I can. The two of them won’t be able to keep Watts occupied for long.”

Ozpin and Pyrrha walked towards the Gyrfalcon where Watts was exiting the rear door, waiting for them.

What do we do?

Oscar’s voice echoed in the back of his own mind, speaking to Ozpin.

Be ready. He will try something and when he does, I will give you full control of your body again. I do not wish to control you and your life or fight in your stead. Just do not underestimate him. Arthur Watts is more dangerous than he looks and could easily match you in a fight.

Ozpin approached the Gyrfalcon and Pyrrha stood beside him, and her eyes widened. Because he was indeed not alone…

Tyrian and Hazel were both with him. Tyrian had that same insane smirk on his face that was always there, whilst Hazel’s arms were crossed. And Watts’ arms were proudly held behind his back. With multiple vials of Grave Dust attached to a bandolier over his jacket, ready to be unleashed on command.

“As I live and breathe… it is true. Pyrrha Nikos… back from the dead.” Watts greeted, smirking. “It seems your title was more than just a Promotional Campaign for that cereal brand.”

“Doctor Arthur Watts…” Pyrrha greeted, then she looked at Hazel and Tyrian. “Tyrian… Hazel. It’s been a long time.”

“For us… I imagine you still remember our battles as if they were yesterday.” Hazel commented.

Tyrian giggled sinisterly as he stood there, his Scorpion Tail arching over his shoulder. “You gave that fool, Adam Taurus quite the show.”

“It didn’t have to go down that way.” Pyrrha said.

“No… which is why we are here… talking right now.” Watts stated, holding his hands out to the ruins which surrounded them. He then glanced at Oscar, unaware that Ozpin was now in control. “Ah and you must be Oscar Pine, Raven’s little dog.”

“Not quite.” Ozpin answered. “It has been a long time since you and I met, Arthur.”

Watts raised a brow, but then his eyes widened. “Ozpin…”

“What?” Tyrian questioned, and Hazel clenched his hands into fists. “How can you be certain?”

“Look at him. Killian saw this kid before; I watched the recordings from the Raven Talons. He never stood and spoke in the way he is now… it is all too familiar.” Watts explained. “It seems at long last the old man has finally reincarnated…”

“Did our Queen already know? Is this why she sent us? To confirm her suspicions?” Tyrian inquired.

“Perhaps…” Watts agreed, just as curious as he was. Hazel nodded his head with hatred in his eyes.

“Yeah, it’s him.” Hazel growled hatefully.

“I am sorry for what I did to you, Hazel… what I did… it can never be forgiven, I know that.” Ozpin admitted.

What did you do?

“Does he know? Or have you kept that secret from him like all the other secrets that came before? Like how you always lied to your hosts before they faded away and you stole their bodies?” Hazel questioned.

Ozpin did not say much more on the subject. “Now, now… let’s keep things civilised. There is no need for any further bloodshed.” Watts stated, but Pyrrha could not help but laugh at him. Tyrian raised a brow.

“Did we miss the joke?” Tyrian asked.

Pyrrha chuckled then she just shook her head, then held her hands out to the destruction and death that surrounded them all. “No Need For Further Bloodshed. Now you give a damn about lives?”

Watts looked her right in the eyes. “I admit what happened six years ago was unfortunate.”

“Unfortunate?” Pyrrha interrupted.

“But it was necessary. Killian tried to do things the bloodless way, but we all know how that ended. The Politicians were too afraid for things to change, so they disregarded your votes and Killian’s offer. And the rest of you… well… you would have never abided Salem’s New World Order.” Watts explained.

“So slaughter? That was your Queen’s masterful plan?” Pyrrha shook her head with disgust.

“I can see the blood on your clothes, Miss Nikos. You judge me and my Brethren for our actions six years ago… yet here you stand. Covered in the blood from your own slaughter.” Watts stated, and Pyrrha glanced at all the stains of blood on her hands and her shirt. She even touched the dried-up blood on her cheek, flinching for a moment. “You see nobody’s hands are clean in what’s left of this world. We’re all the same.”

“We are not the same.” Pyrrha snarled, and Watts shrugged his shoulders.

“Everyone is allowed to have their opinions.” Watts said, but then he paced back and forth across the decimated terrain. “Look, the three of us are willing to let the rest of you go back to your home. I am even willing to fund repairs on your home, Adam Taurus was specifically commanded to not carry out that whole event. Ordered by Salem herself, but he did it anyway. His obsession over Blake Belladonna was the crux, so therefore Salem and I are more than willing to provide the necessary funds, resources and manpower to repair what was lost. All I ask for in return – is that the two of you come with me.”

“So now you want Oz as well? Sure you’re not gonna take Cinder too? Or Blake? Or Weiss?” Pyrrha questioned, not trusting his word one bit.

Only a fool would trust the word of Arthur Watts.

“I rarely make promises, Miss Nikos. Specifically because I only make promises when I know I can keep them.” He assured. “This is the best offer you’re ever going to get.”

“Or things will get ugly.” Tyrian warned, extending The Queen’s Servants, and Hazel slammed his fists together.

Ozpin looked at Pyrrha and they both heard Cinder on their scrolls. “It’s ready, get back here now.”

They then both looked at them, and Watts extended his hand, offering them to come with them into the Gyrfalcon peacefully.

“You can go straight to hell.” Pyrrha stated.

Watts sighed. “Violence it is.” Watts said, nodding to Tyrian and Hazel, and the two of them sprinted towards Pyrrha and Ozpin. Until suddenly a bright white flash erupted in between the four, and the Arma Gigas rose from the huge glyph that spun on the ground. It kicked Tyrian in the chest, the impact was so hard that it threw him into the rubble, and as Hazel jumped towards Ozpin, the Arma Gigas caught him by the throat and slammed him down against the ground with all its might. Yet it had hardly any real effect to the monster of a man.

Watts swiftly drew his Revolver and started firing it, whilst also activating the rings on his fingers. The vials of Grave Dust on his bandolier opened and the clouds of lethal dust started to swirl around him. The Arma Gigas rushed towards him but Watts blasted the Grave Dust towards it, holding it back. He gritted his teeth as the Arma Gigas forced itself towards him.

Behind the glowing Knight, Pyrrha and Ozpin ran as fast as they could. Vernal and Weiss quickly followed. They got aboard the airship as the Arma Gigas faded away from Weiss no longer focusing on it. Watts aimed his Revolver up at the Airship as it flew away, firing at them repeatedly. He lowered the gun and narrowed his eyes.

“Damn it.” Hazel growled.

“Get back in the Gyrfalcon. We’re not letting them escape that easily.” Watts ordered, and Tyrian followed with Hazel beside him.

 

Robyn

 

Terra and Saphron allowed the Happy Huntresses to stay the night, and in the morning they would discuss what to do.

Morning came, and Terra kept to her word like she always did. She sat down with the Four Huntresses. “I’ve got a lot of good contacts thanks to my position in the Argus Police Department. I’ve met countless people with so many different stories, all from different walks of life.” Terra explained.

“You think some of these people could help us find something on Killian?” May inquired.

“Well I have some friends who have their eyes and ears everywhere, people who know every little thing that happens in this city. I can contact them so they can let us know of any important Black Gallows movements going on in the city right now.” Terra explained.

“That’s a good idea, you think you can get in contact with any of them?” Robyn asked, and Terra nodded her head. She left the room and spoke with her contacts in Argus, trying to find any bits of useful information she could. The Happy Huntresses waited, and Fiona smiled as Adrien got ready for school. He was a shy kid and had a heart of gold, something Fiona could always see a mile off.

“I miss the days of taking days off to help at the schools for kids. Always helped me remember I made the right career choice.” Fiona said, fiddling with her fingers.

“How is helping out at a school a way to remind yourself that killing freaky monsters is a good career move?” Joanna inquired.

“Because I know that every Grimm I kill is one less nightmare for those kids. I like to think that one day… these kids will get to grow up in a world where the Grimm are just that. An old nightmare, but no longer a threat.” Fiona explained.

“Well… if we stop Salem… then maybe that will be a reality.” Robyn assured, which made Fiona smile.

“If I had a drink, I’d be down to drink it.” May chuckled.

Terra came back into the room and she tucked her scroll back into her pocket. “I might have something we could use.” Terra revealed.

“Alright, lay it on us.” Robyn requested.

“There’s a Black Gallows Convoy headed to the docks; I think it may have something to do with that huge battle that took place. Amongst them is a Black Gallows Operative, she’s pretty high up in the chain of command. If anyone is gonna have information, it would be her.” Terra explained.

“Do we know her name?” Joanna asked.

“No, sadly not. But we do have a description. She’s about Fiona’s height with long jet-black hair and green eyes. Wearing her Black Gallows Officer Gear. She’ll stick out like a sore thumb with all those soldiers.” Terra explained.

“Any specific location? Time?” May asked.

“They should be here in a few hours, I’d say wait on the road to the gates, that way they won’t get any reinforcements until you’re long gone.” Terra explained, Robyn nodded her head. “Dunno how you’ll get information out of her though. Black Gallows Officers are tough eggs to crack.”

“We’ll ask… nicely.” Robyn winked.

 

A Few Hours Later…

 

With Terra returning to her normal day of work – in order to not appear suspicious – the Happy Huntresses waited on the road just as Terra suggested. With their hoods up, and May using her semblance, nobody had any idea that four lethal Huntresses were waiting. “Here they come.” Joanna whispered.

The trucks came driving across the road, slowly moving across the tarmac towards the huge walls of the city. However they did not make it far, thanks to the trap they set up. A line of spikes made from large nails that they found in a construction site, perfect for bursting the tyres of any vehicle. The bang from the tyres sounded like a gunshot, then the Happy Huntresses sprung from the grass.

Joanna slammed the door into the Raven Talon who tried to get out of it in time to fight back, but the impact broke his arm. She dragged the soldier from the car and threw him against the ground, before kicking him in the helmet so hard that the visor shattered. She spun her Staff through her fingers, firing a Crossbow Bolt directly into the throat of one of the soldiers. A Raven Talon rolled out of the way of the next Crossbow Bolt fired from Fiona’s staff, and he fired the Electrified Cable towards her, but she ducked down just in time.

The Raven Talon rushed towards Fiona and she twirled on the spot, smashing her Staff across the side of his head, knocking the soldier onto one knee. But the skilled hardened Raven Talon suddenly rose up and punched her in the face, before drawing his gun and firing it at her. Fiona hooked her Staff onto his arm and twisted him around, dropping her body weight to the floor, which then threw the soldier across the road. He tumbled across the ground, then she threw her Staff directly at him, stabbing him in the chest with the blades.

The Raven Talon grunted, his voice sounded like every other Black Gallows soldier, distorted by the same Voice Disguiser. Making them all sound inhuman.

May charged towards Ebony Sabre who fired his machine gun at her, but she slid underneath him and slashed the blade of her Crossbow Staff across the piston in the mechanised leg. The Heavy Black Gallows Infantryman slammed his fist into the ground, when a turret folded up from the shoulder and started firing explosive rounds at her. May cartwheeled backwards, dodging all of the explosive rounds that flew her way before she went invisible once more. The Ebony Sabre looked around, back and forth as he tried to find her.

Until he felt a tap on his helmet.

He looked up to see her stood on his shoulders, winking down at him, before she ripped his helmet off and kicked him with the back of her heel as she jumped off him. He crashed to the ground, knocked unconscious. Joanna caught the fist of a Shadow Dagger Trooper, staring her right in the eyes, before throwing her into the side of the armoured car with all her might. The soldier grunted, then Joanna kicked her in the side, flipping her onto her back. Joanna roared, and she punched her three times in the face, so hard it left the soldier unconscious.

Robyn fought against the last two soldiers, she jumped off the side of the armoured truck, firing one of her Crossbow Bolts into the shoulder of one Raven Talon. It landed between the plates of armour, then she leapt towards him, grabbing him by the throat and forcing him to the tarmac. She landed on both feet, roundhouse kicking another soldier across the jaw so hard his helmet flew off. Underneath, he looked more machine than man, eyes replaced by glowing red cybernetic optics, and his voice was also that distorted voice.

Robyn gasped, her eyes widened, and she ducked down as he fired one of those Electrified Restrainers towards Robyn. It crackled behind her as it hit the truck, then Robyn felt the other soldier grab her. She growled with anger as she tried to break free from his grasp. The Black Gallows Soldier spoke but she still could not understand him due to the distorter. She yelled with rage, and just as the Cybernetically Enhanced Raven Talon lunged for her with a knife, she kicked him in the chest with both feet, the impact forcing the soldier who held her backwards. He slammed into the truck and she felt his grip loosen. She took the chance, and she swung her elbow backwards into his gut. He gasped from the blow, before she finished him off by firing a Crossbow Bolt straight through the visor and into his eye.

His body crumpled, then the last one extended a long blade from his arm and swung it at her. Robyn caught his arm and swung her knee up into his gut, but the movement hurt like hell. It felt like she hit concrete, and it had no impact. He grabbed her and threw her into the truck, and she hit the floor and growled from the pain. The Cybernetic Soldier stomped at her head over and over again, but every time she crawled backwards, moving aside. The tarmac cracked from every single stamp.

Robyn rolled backwards then she spun around with a defiant yell, firing an Explosive Tipped Bolt towards him, which lodged into his ribs. But the soldier still had no reaction, until the bolt clicked, flashed red and beeped. It erupted into flames and the soldier’s mechanical body was blown to pieces, chunks of metal thrown everywhere alongside a fountain of blood.

Fiona shielded her face from the blood, gasping at that. May walked over to Robyn, helping her back up. “That was a bit overkill.” May chuckled.

“I wouldn’t say so… look at him… I’ve never seen Black Gallows do that to their soldiers. He was more machine than man.” She stated, crouching down to his fragmented remains. His body was practically blown in two, but they could see all the cybernetics from his halved corpse, sparks spluttered with blood, and the eyes powered down.

“Whoa…” May softly gasped.

“Bastard was tough. Looks like Killian’s had more going on than I expected. Must be Watts… the bastard was always a genius when it came to cybernetics.” Robyn stated, gesturing her Cybernetic Leg itself. “If it weren’t for his efforts, the world wouldn’t have prosthetics like these… but this? This is just… monstrous.”

“Okay… not overkill.” May agreed.

“Get out of the car! Now!” Joanna roared, they turned to see her aiming her Crossbow Staff at the Officer they were searching for. She calmly got out of the Armoured Truck with her hands held up over her head, with that emotionless expression they all came to expect from Black Gallows Operatives. Like nothing ever surprised or impressed them.

“You’re going to regret this.” The Officer warned.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m sure of it.” Joanna said, she looked her up and down. It was her, no doubt. Black hair, green eyes, Black Gallows Uniform, about the same height as Fiona. Joanna slammed her fist into the Officer’s face so hard it knocked her unconscious. “C’mon, let’s get her somewhere safe. We don’t want any unwanted visitors.” She said as she lifted her onto her shoulder.

May smiled. “I think I know a place.” She formed a large dome of invisibility around them all, and it was like they vanished without a trace.

 

At the Safehouse…

 

The Officer was bound to a chair, still unconscious from Joanna’s punch. Though not for much longer, as she was suddenly doused with icy cold water. That felt almost felt like Joanna’s punch, just more sudden and biting than hers. She panted and gasped, shaking her head as the water dripped off her pointed chin. She then looked forward to see Robyn stood there in the light with her arms crossed.

“Fun dreams?” Robyn asked, the Officer chuckled.

“Yeah… was just having a great one too, if I’m being honest.” The Officer said.

“Well, hey, how about this. You answer my questions, and I will let you leave this place. You can go back to serving that psychotic son of a bitch and his evil Queen. All you have to do is give me info.” Robyn explained as she pulled out a chair and sat in front of the Officer.

“If you think you can crack me, then you’ve got another thing coming.” The Officer assured.

“Oh, I wouldn’t be so sure, honey. Now, c’mon… let’s get on with it, huh?” Robyn began. “I know that the “Rogue” Huntsmen and Huntresses were not responsible for the Slaughter of the U.G.R six years ago. I was there, but the world won’t believe a word I say unless I come forward with some damn good evidence. I know you’re an Officer, one in a pretty nice chain of command, in fact. So I’m certain you can help us out.” Robyn stated, but the Officer just rolled her eyes.

“I can help you to the graveyard if you want, because that’s where you’re gonna end up sweetheart if you follow this course of action.” The Officer warned, only for Joanna to suddenly reveal herself behind her, punching the Officer across her cheek. She grunted, spitting out blood as Joanna walked around her.

“Ouch, that must’ve hurt.” Joanna said as she crossed her arms.

“Ah… I was wondering where the bad cop was.” The Officer chuckled.

“Tell me about the Virus that was used that night. The one that cut off all communications, locked all the people inside, changed the footage on the security cameras? It had the symbol of a Black Queen Chess Piece. I know that’s what it is called but tell me more about it.” Robyn requested.

“It steals your personal data, filling your computer with porn.” The Officer sarcastically answered, only to get punched in the gut by Joanna.

“I’ll admit, I have had viruses like that, but I haven’t seen one capable of what that one did.” Robyn joked. “What about Arthur Watts? Give me any dirt on him? If anyone made the damn thing I imagine it was him.”

The interrogation went on all night, and fairly soon daybreak was coming. Yet the Officer, despite been tortured all night, still would not crack. Robyn could not help but be impressed by her loyalty to them. The Officer was barely clinging to consciousness, blood drooling from her lips as she sat there. “My patience is growing thin, lady. Give me something, anything. I don’t wanna kill you, but you’re really trying me.” Robyn warned.

The Officer just glared at her, defiant even now. Robyn sighed and she just looked at Joanna and nodded. The two of them walked out the room. The Officer spat out blood. “Oh what? You finally give up? C’mon at least one more for good measure!” The Officer coughed.

“No point in beating a dead officer, right?” Joanna asked, then they closed the door. There was silence for a few moments, until she realised something. She started to look around the room, and saw the lights suddenly turn on. There was a large heavy metal door at the other side of the room in front of her. Lights started the flash, and the huge door started to open up.

“The hell is this?” The Officer stammered, the whole time Joanna and Robyn were interrogating her, they never revealed this. The door opened all the way, revealing nothing but darkness inside of there. Until glowing red eyes revealed themselves. It growled viciously.

“Our friend told us about this place.” Robyn’s voice started to echo from the speakers, she watched from the other room as the Officer looked more and more frightened. “Someone captured a Grimm here, a lunatic who liked to feed his captives to it. Until the thing killed him as well, and ever since it has been trapped in here. I bet it is longing for a new meal, wouldn’t you say?”

“No! Please! I’ll tell you what you want! Please no!” The Officer started to break; terror started to consume her. The Grimm revealed its face to her, and it was horrifying. It was an incredibly old Ursae, mangy fur and covered in armour plating. It stared straight at her with a deep guttural growl.

“Give me a lead on the Black Queen Virus. Tell me where Watts’ lab is located.” Robyn demanded. “Tell us that, and we will kill it before it kills you – so long as you’re quick.”

“O-Okay! OKAY!” The Officer screamed as the Ursa got closer and closer. “Mistral! He has a lab here in Mistral! His old one he used to use, the one he modified the Grave Dust in all those years ago! It’s in the wilds but I don’t know where! If you want answers go there! Please! Please it’s the truth! I don’t wanna die like this! Please!” She shrieked in fear, Robyn listened to her words.

Her semblance had grown more over the years, she did not have to hold someone’s hand to know if they were being truthful or not anymore. She liked to do it most of the time since it was easier, but she could sense it from just looking at them and hearing their voices.

And she knew…

She’s telling the truth.

Robyn looked at Joanna and nodded.

The Ursa roared and charged towards the terrified Officer, only for Joanna to suddenly launch her Staff directly into the throat of the Ursa. The huge bear roared and spluttered black blood across the floor, stumbling around before it collapsed to the ground, crumbling away. The Officer was hyperventilating in fear and Joanna gently squeezed her shoulder. “Breathe…” Joanna said to her.

The door opened and Robyn emerged from the other room, walking down the steps to the Officer. “I didn’t want this to get this bad. I was hoping you would have been straight with me from the start.” Robyn said to her, and she took out a knife and cut the bindings, letting the Officer go.

The two of them stepped aside, and the Officer looked at them as she stammered. “W-What am I s-supposed to do now? I can’t go back… I told you important intel… they’ll know… they’ll kill me.” She stammered.

“Then don’t go back to them. We’re taking the risk by letting you live; the choice is yours now.” Robyn said, letting her leave. The Officer limped as she walked away from them, and she headed back towards Argus.

“Should we have let her go? What if she does tell Killian we’re alive? He’ll know just by your description.” Joanna pointed out.

“Let her. We got what we need, and if him knowing I’m for him will make him struggle to sleep at night… then it’s worth it. We need to find that old Lab.” Robyn said to Joanna.

“We will.” Joanna assured.

 

Cinder

 

It took them hours, and even having to fly through a storm across the Valerian Sea, but they made it to Anima at long last.

Cinder was constantly checking their scanners, the fact that they hadn’t seen the Gyrfalcon on their tail for hours now really was not sitting right with her. And she saw the huge mountains in the distance. It was a straight shot… but something felt wrong. She could feel it in her bones. “I’m gonna take us through Lake Matsu… what’s left of it anyway.” Cinder stated, changing their course.

“Uh? Why?” Weiss asked.

“I don’t wanna risk it. The Children of Salem definitely won’t give up, and I don’t like the idea of bringing them directly to the Summit’s Claim. I want to make sure they’re not on our tail, and if they are… well… I’d rather be in Lake Matsu’s Remnants to fight them than out in the open like this.” Cinder explained.

Pyrrha was sat there and she looked at her hands, still with some blood on them. Amber shuffled over to her, and she tilted her head. She got some water and a cloth, soaking it. “Lemme.” Amber cooed, and she started to clean the blood off Pyrrha’s hands.

“Thank you.” Pyrrha smiled, which made Amber beam brightly. Somehow, that little girl was just always able to make others happy. Which in turn always made her happy.

“It was really cool to see you in action. I haven’t seen it since I was little.” Amber said with a smile.

“That… wasn’t who I am supposed to be. I’m sorry you saw all of that. It’s my fault.” Pyrrha admitted.

“No… it’s like you said, what the man back there said. That guy with the Horns was always going to show up. It was always going to happen. I’m just glad you were there… if it weren’t for you… I’d be dead.” Amber said, she didn’t even seem that shaken by it. On the way to Beacon’s Ruins and when they were there? Yes, she was obviously a bit shaken up by nearly dying… but now? It was like she just pushed all of that aside, and was focusing on the future, not what could have happened.

She was an inspiring little thirteen-year-old.

At times, she reminded Pyrrha of Ruby… the old Ruby.

The Airship flew towards Lake Matsu, and Cinder stared at the destruction with awe in her eyes. “By the Gods… it’s worse than when we last came here.” Vernal said, they all remembered seeing the utter destruction left in the wake of the Shadow of Broken Promises. This place was once one of the many wonders of Remnant… but now?

Just rocks… floating rocks… no life… nothing.

It looked like an Asteroid Field from those Sci-Fi Movies, and it was heartbreaking to see. With no company left behind to restore the Floating Islands, they were just abandoned. Now just rocks, with only shards of Gravity Dust remaining to keep them afloat.

“This is just sad…” Weiss sighed. “I always wanted to come here… y’know… when it was beautiful. Now look at it.”

Cinder looked down at her scanner, and her eye widened. I knew it.

The Gyrfalcon.

It was following them the whole time. “Last chance, Cinder. Give up Pyrrha Nikos and Oscar Pine. Or this becomes something else.” Watts warned through the comm link. But Cinder cut them off, ending all transmissions.

“Everyone hold on.” Cinder ordered.

She suddenly dove downwards, then shot right back up towards them. The airship had guns on it, but nothing that could possibly match the weapons that Watts had on the Gyrfalcon. The energy rounds hardly even scuffed the shields, and Watts just exhaled with frustration. “Okay… I gave you a chance. Now things get ugly.” Watts said, which made Tyrian smirk and giggle maniacally.

The Gyrfalcon’s thrusters roared, and he pursued them through the Field of Rock, dodging the chunks of debris left behind with massive holes in them from where the Shadow of Broken Promises blew them to pieces with its Broadside Cannons. “Here’s a little surprise I’ve been working on, Cinder.” Watts said, playing with the switches. He fired a missile from the wing of the Gyrfalcon, one that had pulsating purple light inside of it.

Cinder saw it incoming and she gasped. “Gravity Missile, everyone hang on!” Cinder called out, and she dove downwards, using the chunks of floating rocks as cover. Everything silent as the missile reached its target area – then there was a bright purple flash, and it collapsed into itself, before erupting. The explosion was a deafening metallic bang, one that created a shockwave so powerful it turned the rocks to dust, fragmenting them. Cinder’s spun the Airship through the air, skilfully dodging the incoming debris.

It was clear that Salem’s Designated Pilots were Watts and Cinder back in the day.

Watts fired a second Gravity Missile, the missiles had unstable Gravity Dust trapped inside of them, and then when they detonated, that unstable gravity was just unleashed to tear itself apart. Cinder braced and Amber covered her ears as the Gravity Missile detonated behind them. More massive chunks of rock sliced in half by the powerful shockwave. Cinder flew through the many rocks that floated above the huge Lake, but then she vanished from Watt’s scanners.

“Where did you go…” Watts muttered.

Cinder looped overhead and started to fire on them repeatedly, nailing them over and over again. “Crap!” Watts exclaimed, yes her armaments were hardly state of the art, but too many shots to the shields would eventually break the Hardlight barrier and she could actually take them down if she was smart. The smaller Airship pursued them, firing over and over again at the Gyrfalcon, which flew directly into one of the huge rocks. It had tunnels formed in them, but those tunnels were simply where the rock had been blown into by the Shadow of Broken Promises, and Centinels over the years had formed large tunnel networks inside of them.

Cinder stayed on them. “Watch out!” Amber squeaked, but Cinder was perfectly dodging the chunks of stone in her way. Ahead of them, the Gyrfalcon creating a chilling shrieking sound as it spun through the tunnel, using its thrusters to perfect capability, not even hitting a single stalactite or stalagmite. Once Watts reached the other side of the huge boulder, the Gyrfalcon flew directly upwards, roaring deafeningly as it vanished into the debris field.

Cinder followed his path, but did not realise he just went upwards, and she kept going forward. The Gyrfalcon descended behind her with a dark growling roar from its afterburners. Hazel and Tyrian readied themselves on the Internally Operated Cannons, and Watts had his fingers on the triggers. “Take them down.” Watts commanded.

All three sets of cannons opened fire, sending Dust Charged bullets their way, firing at such a shockingly fast rate of fire that it sounded like a constant droning roar of gunfire. “Damn it! I hate that fucking Oversized Bullhead!” Cinder cursed, she tried to stay ahead and dodge all the fire shot towards them by the huge Airship, she tried using the rocks as cover, but the rounds were just blowing them to pieces, and they were repeatedly hitting their Hardlight Shields.

The Thrusters on the Gyrfalcon moved individually, blasting fire in the right direction for perfect manoeuvrability. Watts did not even bump into a single rock, creating a deep roar as the thrusters kept them on their target. It stayed on them the whole time, creating that recognisable howl from its engines as Cinder dove through the belt of rocks. But then the Hardlight Shields on the Airship broke, and Cinder heard the explosion in the back of the ship.

He hit the engine.

“Shit! Everyone hang on! We’re going down!” Cinder called out. Amber hugged onto Cinder as the Airship came crashing down, and Weiss cast multiple black Glyphs to try and slow their descent.

But the Airship slammed down into the beach with force. It slid through the sand, leaving a trail of fire behind it before it came to a halt.

 

 

Chapter 11: Punishment

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

“Get up! Pyrrha! Pyrrha Get Up!” The voice of Weiss Schnee seemed to echo in her mind, but she could barely hear her at first due to the ringing in her ears. She groaned in pain, pressing the palm of her hand against the sticky hot pain that dripped from her forehead. She felt like she had been thrown into a tornado, everything was spinning, and she felt sick to her stomach.

Oh… that’s not good… that’s a concussion… I think…

Pyrrha turned her gaze to the cockpit where she saw and heard Cinder coughing violently, spitting out blood as she wheezed. Cinder wiped the blood from her mouth with her wrist. “Hey! Invincible Dumbass! Get the fuck up!” Cinder coughed, stumbling through the destroyed Airship, which was quickly flooding with smoke. The fuel cells of the Airship had been critically damaged from the crash, which meant this thing was about to explode. And judging from the building heat in there? It was a certainty, not a probability.

Pyrrha shook her head and coughed, instantly finding and grabbing the snapped remnants of Crocea Mors, using the broken blade to force herself back onto her feet. She bumped off the walls, thankful to see that outside – Amber, Blake, Vernal and Oscar were also okay. Weiss grabbed Pyrrha and helped her out of there whilst Vernal did the same for Cinder. They stumbled out the back of the ship.

“Go! It’s about to go!” Cinder called out. Everyone ran as fast as they could, and they dove away, hiding behind some of the rocks and pieces of debris that was left impaled into the sand. The Airship suddenly burst, creating a thunderous explosion. A huge fireball erupted from the hull, glowing gold shards of metal bounced across the beach, narrowly missing them or getting stuck into the rocks that they hid behind. Plumes of sand blew past them, and Amber covered her ears from how loud that blast was.

Cinder lifted her head slowly to see the remains of what was once the Airship they used for the past six years. “Thanks for all the great rides, old pal.” Cinder sighed.

That ship got us out of the Branwen Tribe… it kept us safe for so long. Hell, even when it died it managed to hold out long enough for us all to get out.

Damn good Ship… gonna miss you.

“What do we do now?” Blake asked.

“It’s cold…” Amber shivered, hugging her arms. Cinder looked up at the sky and she clenched her hand into a fist. She could not see it, but the roar of the Gyrfalcon echoed across the landscape. It was near, no doubt about it. They just had to stay out of its line of sight… but that would not be easy. It had Thermal Imaging and Night Vision cameras on it, and she knew that Watts was using them.

He would never take the risk of assuming they died in the crash.

“We need to keep moving. It’s gonna get dark soon, and we do not want to be out in Anima at night on our own like this. It’s bad enough having the Gyrfalcon hunting us, but being out here in the dark? When it’s freezing cold and the Grimm are out here? We’ll be dead by daybreak.” Cinder explained.

“Agreed. C’mon, there’s gotta be some shelter nearby.” Vernal said, Pyrrha shook her head and touched the wound on her forehead. It was not too bad, but the blood was obscuring her vision in her right eye. They all started to move onward, and Cinder picked up Amber and carried her.

They walked for a few miles, always hearing the sound of the Gyrfalcon nearby. Vernal gasped, her eyes widened. “Get down.” She told them, and they all hit the deck. Pyrrha watched it as it soared overhead, powerful thrusters roaring with bright blue and orange flames emanating from them. The thing was massive, for some strange reason Pyrrha never really realised how massive this thing was until she saw it hovering over the trees. It was at least three times the size of a normal bullhead.

Pyrrha had seen the many monsters of war crafted by the Atlesians, but this was something else. If Atlas had fleets of these things during the Great War? Remnant could be a vastly different place because this thing seemed to be almost unstoppable. It was fast, manoeuvrable, armed to the teeth and tough as nails. It scanned the forest, a large glowing blue ray of light was cast upon them, scanning every little thing, every organism. It slowly hovered across the landscape, the downdraft from its superheated thrusters was even burning the grass and the leaves of the tree.

It was like a descendent from hell, everywhere it went, destruction was always left in its wake. Cinder looked around, and she saw something. An old Schnee Dust Company Mining Facility, it looked abandoned, but the main building looked like it could keep them safe. “Over there, that mine!” Cinder whispered. “Just take it slow, don’t draw attention to ourselves. We do not want that thing to figure out where we are.”

They kept low to the ground, moving as fast but as quietly as they could towards the Mineshaft. Cinder approached the door and pressed her hand against the handle, heating up the metal slowly so then the lock would melt. “C’mon. Cinder… it’s gonna find us.” Amber whimpered as she watched the huge Gyrfalcon searching the area for them.

“I’m going as fast as I can.” Cinder calmly assured as the heat built higher and higher. Then she suddenly switched to ice, blasting it into the metal, and the sudden shift of temperatures caused the metal to snap, and she forced the door open. Everyone ran inside and Cinder closed the door behind them, and Oscar propped a piece of wood against the door to keep it closed.

The two of them turned when they heard everyone gasp in shock. “Oh… by the gods…” Weiss gasped, covering her mouth with horror. Cinder and Oscar both stood beside them, and they saw what was in here.

There were bodies, old bodies, most of them looked skeletal. Broken, slashed and ruined from whatever killed them. There must have been hundreds of them in here. “What happened here?” Pyrrha asked, but Weiss whimpered, and she walked away from what she was looking at. Vernal covered Amber’s eyes, hugging her close so she did not have to see this.

“They… they’re the Slaughtered Huntsmen and Huntresses from Haven.” Blake said, she may have been blind, but she knew what she was stood in front of. “There are mass Burial Sites like this in all the Kingdoms, where the Black Gallows dragged their bodies, tossed them in places like these and just left them here to rot. They were closed off because of the diseases in the air… we… we shouldn’t stay here.” Blake explained, she pulled her scarf up and wrapped it over her mouth and nose.

“Yeah, don’t touch anything and cover your faces.” Cinder agreed, everyone started wrapping whatever they had on them over their mouths and noses, some of them had bandannas, others had scarfs or just their shirts. Pyrrha stopped and noticed something as she wrapped her scarf over her mouth and nose.

“Wait… there’s more than just Huntsmen and Huntresses here. Look… there’re civilians here too.” Pyrrha commented, she could tell just from the old clothes. They were all slashed or riddled with bullet holes, but the clothing differences were clear. The Huntsmen and Huntresses all had their stylish outfits, emblems imprinted on them and places for ammunition and such. Or… their school uniforms…

Seeing such young innocent souls in here was just terrifying and heartbreaking at the same time.

But then there were the civvies, it was easy to tell the difference. Normal clothes, normal accessories. “I know why.” Vernal said, sighing. “Things weren’t always this way. When Salem slaughtered the Academies and assumed control, many fought against her ideologies. Were enraged and wanted to avenge the lives lost in those Academies, families who lost loved ones. Parents who lost children. Lovers who lost their significant others. It was a small-scale war in the streets as they tried to overthrow Salem – but Salem unleashed the Black Gallows, the Feral Ones… and the Grimm… on them all. She made sure it was all recorded, making it very plain and simple where things stood. Thousands died, and after a few days of slaughter – nobody dared stand against Salem. They were too afraid to, and the ones who liked what Salem was pitching? Well they just became more powerful.” Vernal explained.

“I remember that day… it was cruel… and now it looks like all those brave men and women were all just tossed in these mass graves as well. To be forgotten.” Cinder stated.

“This is sick.” Pyrrha stammered, unable to wrap her head around it. “Should we… do something?”

“Do what? They’re dead, Cinder. Nothing we can do for them now. And besides, we need to leave this place. Locations like these? Filled with all this darkness? I can imagine there must be some really evil things lurking in those tunnels.” Cinder explained, pointing into the open mineshaft. It was pitch black in there, and you could hear them. The roars of unspeakable Creatures of Grimm.

There had to be hundreds or maybe even thousands in there.

Weiss stood by the door and she slightly cracked it open, peering outside. The Gyrfalcon’s thrusters roared even louder as the Four-Winged Bullhead ascended back up into the night sky, searching elsewhere for them. “Okay… the Gyrfalcon is gone. We can get to the Foot of the Mountain now.” Weiss assured, opening the door. Vernal walked with Amber outside, whilst everyone followed. Pyrrha remained there, staring at the bodies just left there.

No gravestones to remember them by.

No names.

Just death.

Cinder waited for her, gently touching her shoulder. “C’mon.” Cinder assured.

Is this what happened to them? To Ren and Nora? Ruby and Yang?

Everyone back at Beacon? I saw lots of bodies there, but what about the other Academies? How many other places are there like this? With so many bodies just left to rot.

These were people.

People who had entire futures ahead of them, and it was all snatched away.

This cannot continue.

Pyrrha finally walked with Cinder, and the two of them stepped through the door, closing it behind them. Pyrrha walked with them to the foot of the mountain, and she lifted her head to see the Brother of Darkness sat on a rock, in her head of course. He had his arms crossed as he stared at her with that featureless face. “Do you still have doubts on which side you are on?” Darkness asked her.

Pyrrha had learned that she could still communicate with the Brothers Grimm simply by talking in her head. “I always knew which side I was on; I want Salem dead. But it doesn’t mean I am doing it for you.” Pyrrha snarled, which made Darkness chuckle, and he hovered over her shoulder as she walked.

“We shall see, my dear. We shall see.” Darkness assured, before disappearing once more.

A couple hours later…

Walking up the Mountain was always going to be a long journey, but they all felt like it was just going on forever. Amber was struggling, she was hardly unfit, the girl was one of the most hyperactive creatures Cinder had ever seen. She could run a full marathon and not even get winded, yet this Mountain was beating her.

In her defence, this had been quite a long day, and it was now midnight…

“There must be some shelter… nearby… soon.” Amber stammered.

“Yeah… surely. This is a big mountain. Someone must have a shack or something.” Vernal agreed as she stayed close to her. Cinder’s eye was aflame, keeping the weather from getting any worse up here, but even then – there was not much she could do for the cold. They were high up now.

Blake kept walking, using Gambol Shroud’s blade like her old Stick she used to tap anything in her path. Every now and then it would clank against one of the large rocks that stuck out from the snow in front of her. She felt her legs wobble as she walked, but she kept pushing forward. Weiss was also using Myrtenaster to keep moving.

Pyrrha stayed focused on the task, staring up at the rocks that were in front of them, following Cinder. “Bring back any old memories?” Pyrrha asked her, and Cinder glanced back at the Invincible Girl.

“Yeah… we’re getting close to the Claim, I know it.” Cinder assured; her cheeks were starting to go pink from the cold air.

“H-How can you possibly be sure of that? It’s a mountain… it just… keeps going…” Pyrrha panted.

Cinder pointed ahead of them, it was hard to see in the darkness, but Pyrrha managed to spot it. Vernal, Oscar and Amber caught up and the little Amber smiled. “Yes… I remember this…” Amber said.

“What is it?” Weiss asked.

“When we were making the climb up here six years ago, we reached this point, and it was where we first met Icarus. He attacked Ren and Eryka, and they fought down there. Whilst I fought this big Troll up here. Bastard was a tough too.” Cinder assured, coughing a couple times.

The damage from the battle could still be seen, shattered boulders and slashed in the stones. “It’s crazy… it all feels so long ago now… like it was a different life. I kinda miss the one we had for those good six years though. Not liking this feeling of always being hunted.” Cinder admitted as she walked onward, using a flame like a lantern.

“Are we sure the Gyrfalcon won’t see the flame?” Weiss asked.

“Don’t worry, Airships can’t travel this high up. The Dust starts to go haywire, needs oxygen to run properly, and as you can tell from our breathing – it’s not great up here.” Cinder chuckled.

“If the oxygen is… so low… how can people survive up there?” Blake asked with confusion.

“No clue, some think it’s some kind of old magic that protects the place. It predates the Great War; nobody really knows how old the place actually is. Those old Monasteries are really old… like so old that nobody even knows which civilisation they belong in.” Cinder explained, the idea of buildings being that old always seemed to be baffling to even comprehend. How could something that old still be standing and in perfect condition?

Perhaps always having people living there was a good reason behind it.

“These people? Can we trust them?” Weiss asked.

“Well they took our asses in. A bunch of savage Bandits and Criminals, sure Eryka was injured when we got there, and she was trained there and all that… but they had every reason to turn us away. Especially if they knew about the things Shay was capable of doing. But they’re good, and I doubt they’d try to turn us in. They’ve always existed outside the laws of society, in their own little bubble. I’m sure they’ll take us in.” Cinder assured, and Pyrrha shook her head with doubt.

“If this world has taught me anything it’s that you shouldn’t trust anyone.” Pyrrha sighed.

“Well we took you in, even though I knew it was a bad idea.” Cinder said.

“Cinder…” Vernal started to feel more and more concerned.

“You got something to say to me?” Pyrrha asked her.

“Pyrrha, please just drop it. We can’t be distracted.” Weiss sighed.

“No she’s been giving me these looks all day. You wanna say something to me? Then go ahead, say it. Say what I know what you want to say.”

Cinder stopped, and she clenched her hand into a fist, snuffing the flame. And snow started to blow around them as Cinder’s eye stopped burning, letting the storm start to form once more. Cinder slowly turned around, glaring straight at Pyrrha, her fists tightly clenched.

Then she said it.

“I should have killed you that night. I should have let that arrow kill you once and for all.” Cinder snarled.

Pyrrha wasn’t expecting her to say that, not at all.

We should have thrown you out the second you showed up at our doorstep.

That was what she expected to hear, not hearing the voice of the Old Cinder Fall, the one who attacked Beacon and tried to kill her all those years ago. Hearing her say those words sent a completely different kind of chill down all their spines. Pyrrha’s eyes were wide, then her green eyes narrowed, and she gritted her teeth, not noticing Darkness sat on a rock nearby, watching the tense exchange.

“Okay, that’s enough. The two of you just cut it out.” Oscar told them.

This is bad. We cannot let this divide us more than we already are.

Oscar heard Ozpin’s words in the back of his mind, and he could not agree with him more.

Pyrrha held out her arms as she walked towards Cinder. “Take it then! Take your best shot!”

“Pyrrha, just ignore her!” Weiss grabbed Pyrrha’s arm and pulled her back to try and defuse the situation but Pyrrha shoved the White Haired Schnee back.

“Go on! Here I am, Cinder! Do what you should have done in the first place! Go ahead, do me a favour! I’ve already lost everything! The only thing I have left is this!” She yelled, showing the snapped Crocea Mors still in her hand. Tears welled up in Pyrrha’s eyes, and Cinder stared straight at her, her expression never changed, there was still anger towards her. “So do it. If you wanna do it so bad, then do it. But I promise you this, it better kill me on the spot otherwise you’re gonna have to see a side of me you didn’t know existed.” Pyrrha threatened.

Both Weiss and Blake were gobsmacked, Pyrrha truly was different. This was completely unlike the Pyrrha they knew when they were at school – it was actually scaring them. But Cinder was scaring them as well, that glare in her eyes was one that they hadn’t seen since she was last at Beacon Academy. That fact alone scared them just as much as what Pyrrha was becoming.

Cinder slowly started to form something in her hand until Amber rushed in between them. “Stop it! Both of you! You’re both better than this! What happened back then, it happened! But neither of you are the people you once were!” Amber shouted, they still stared directly at each other, but Cinder paused in forming her weapon. “Cinder! You’re not that person anymore! I know you continue to insult yourself because of who you once were, but you are not that person! And Pyrrha? Yeah… maybe in hindsight taking you in was a bad idea. But I don’t regret it! I was the one who made that choice, not Cinder. I convinced her to take the risk, and if we hadn’t? You wouldn’t have been there to save my life.” Amber explained.

The two of them started to ponder on her words and Pyrrha lowered her arms and Cinder let the ash fall into the sand. Amber lowered her hands down as well. “We need to keep going, okay? Don’t let all this we could’ve, should’ve, would’ve scenarios weigh us down. It doesn’t matter, all that matters is that we get to the Summit’s Claim.” Amber explained, and Vernal smiled proudly as she looked at the young lady.

“How did you grow up so fast?” Cinder chuckled, and Amber smiled.

“I had good role models.” She said back with a bright smile, which made Cinder smile back. Cinder looked at Pyrrha and she just kept walking ahead, whilst Pyrrha stood there. Blake stood beside Pyrrha and looked at her.

“And for the record – you haven’t lost everything. There are still people who care about you, Pyrrha. Just think about that.” Blake said, walking ahead, and Pyrrha stood there alone. She clenched her hands into fists, she felt like she should just walk away. Like she was some sort of curse on these people, and that leaving them would make them safer.

But she couldn’t…

… she wanted to make sure that at the very least, they all made it.

They continued up the mountain, and they happened upon something rather interesting. An Old Town, it looked like something out of a Cowboy Movie, which made it even stranger, considering it was up here on a mountain. “Huh… I don’t remember seeing this here when we were making our way up here.” Cinder stated.

“Look, the path we used collapsed, looks like someone must have changed the path to go through this town.” Amber explained. “I still remember how close to the edge we were when we got this close.”

“How much further is it?” Blake groaned, rubbing her thighs.

“Not much further, but we could still check this place. Could be something here we could eat, canned food or something. Give us a little boost to get us the rest of the way.” Cinder explained.

“Ugh, why did Ren’s dad have to live at the top of the frickin world?” Weiss whinged.

“It’s not a bad idea. Nobody can fly up here, not even Grimm. Unless Salem made specific modifications to make them survive up here. But… the Summit’s Claim keep to themselves, so they are no real threat to her. So why should she even bother with all the trouble?” Cinder explained, shrugging her shoulders.

“But… you’re saying that… she could?” Vernal asked.

“I dunno, anything’s possible. I’ve seen the things she’s made and… well… you tend to keep an open mind after you see them.” Cinder explained.

“You mean the Praetorian Knights?” Oscar inquired.

“Exactly. I remember when I first saw them – She told me that they were just Ancient Geists… but… the fact they could speak? It always struck me as odd, those things always felt like they were more. At first I didn’t believe in some things… but after I met them? Well… I became a bit more open minded.” Cinder chuckled.

“That’s understandable. I still can’t believe there’s Thirteen of the bastards. It took everything we had ten years ago to kill one. ONE.” Blake explained. “How the hell are we meant to kill Thirteen of them?” Blake explained.

“You kill the one who controls them.” Cinder explained. “At least… I hope that’s how it works.”

Pyrrha could not help but turn to Darkness as she saw him stood there. “Is it true? If we kill Salem will the Grimm die?”

“Not… exactly.” Darkness answered. “I will resume command of them, and I will have them return to their primitive function.”

“You mean they won’t die?” Pyrrha spoke aloud that time, which got Cinder’s attention.

“No. They will serve me.”

“Then get rid of them, surely we’d earn that much after killing her.” Pyrrha questioned.

“No. The Grimm serve a purpose; they keep Humanity and Faunuskind where they belong. Remove the Grimm and the Food Chain collapses, and life will grow too far and become parasitic.” Darkness explained.

“Who the hell are you talking to?” Cinder questioned.

“The Brother of Darkness.” Ozpin suddenly answered through Oscar.

“Whoa! Gods… could you give us some warning next time before you just possess my buddy?” Cinder gasped, jolting from her skin as she heard the weird mixed voice of Oscar and Ozpin’s tones.

“Ah, my apologies.” Ozpin chuckled. “But I could tell from the moment I heard it. You are communicating with him, aren’t you?”

“Y-Yeah… sorry… I forgot to do it in my head.” There’s the old Pyrrha, always apologising for the most unnecessary things.

“No need for an apology. I have experienced it as well, Oscar has not yet – but whenever Light chooses to, he will return for another conversation.” Ozpin explained.

“Wait, so the Brothers Grimm are literally in your heads?” Cinder asked with shock.

“Yeah, he’s really annoying.” Pyrrha stated, which actually made the Brother of Darkness chuckle. “He said… that even if we kill Salem, the Grimm won’t die. They will just return to his command, but he won’t remove them for us. They will just go back to how they used to be.”

“Well, that’s not totally bad.” Vernal shrugged.

“How is that not bad?” Cinder asked with confusion, and Vernal crossed her shoulders.

“Well the Grimm now are almost militaristic; they use strategy and can pop out of anywhere and even patrol the cities. I gotta admit I do miss the old days when they just lurked in the woods.” Vernal explained, shrugging her shoulders.

“Well… I’d rather them just fuck off for good if I’m being completely honest.” Cinder huffed.

“Hey, take any silver lining you can ge-AAAHH!” Vernal suddenly screamed in agony as the Cybernetic Scorpion Stinger of Tyrian Callows stabbed her right in the back and lifted her off the floor.

“VERNAL!” Cinder screamed, and Tyrian laughed maniacally as he threw her across the floor. Blood poured from the major wound in her back, alongside the venom that just got pumped into her. She started to shiver from the pain she was feeling, as the venom started to flow through her bloodstream. Tyrian’s eyes glowed purple and he fired the Queen’s Servants at them, jumping up and landing on the tiled roof of the building.

Everyone engaged their auras, and Cinder’s eyes erupted with flames. “TYRIAN!” Cinder bellowed, blasting towards him, and he jumped towards her. Cinder grabbed him by the throat and slammed him against the wall, cracking the stone behind him. She punched him repeatedly in the face, but he continued to laugh at her. His Mechanical Scorpion Tail coiled around her arm and he twisted hard and fast, and the two of them crashed down against the ground. Tyrian jumped off her body and landed on both feet, sprinting through one of the open buildings.

Cinder shook her head, and she started to get back up, spitting out blood. “Your peace has failed you!” Hazel’s voice suddenly boomed from above, Cinder swiftly looked up and saw him stood atop the building next to her.

“Oh fuck!” Hazel jumped down towards her, but she rolled out of the way just in time, narrowly missing his fist and knee which pummelled into the hard floor beneath him, sending cracks through it. The Monster rose back up, driving a pair of Fire Dust Crystals into his sewn together arms, and flames burned through his dead flesh.

“THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT!” He roared as he sprinted towards Cinder and grabbed her by the throat, he carried her by the neck in his massive hand through one of the buildings, shattering the door, and throwing her through the window. Cinder crashed straight through the glass, and she felt dazed whilst everything became weightless. But she turned and saw the steep incline beneath her, and her eyes hardened.

And the fire reignited once more, Cinder blew back towards Hazel and punched him in the face. She passed by him and drove her boots into the snowy floor, slowing herself down.

Behind her, Tyrian bounced off the walls as he dodged the incoming shots from Weiss’ Glyphs. She stood beside Vernal whilst Amber and Blake tended to her wound. They rolled her over and saw the veins were darkening and becoming discoloured. “Oh gods, he’s poisoned you.”

“You don’t say?” Vernal gritted her teeth, taking the pain.

“How far is the Claim?” Blake asked.

“It’s… just up there…” Vernal strained.

Blake suddenly lifted Vernal up and put her arm around her shoulder and extended her other hand to Amber. “Amber, sweetheart, can you guide us there? We need to get her there, and maybe get some help!” Blake asked, and Amber smiled – nodding her head. Amber took Blake’s hand to guide her and they started to run as fast as they could, leaving Cinder, Oscar, Pyrrha and Weiss to fend off Tyrian and Hazel.

Vernal coughed from the pain as they rushed as fast as they could, and they both ducked down as Fire burned overhead from Cinder as she battled against Hazel, getting punched directly in the chest which smashed her against the wall. Then Tyrian leapt out and Weiss pursued, sliding across the ground on her Glyph, firing firebolts up at him but he swung towards her by his tail and kicked Weiss in the face. He then lunged directly for Amber, only for Pyrrha to suddenly throw her fist directly into the side of his face.

They kept on running, hopefully help could get there in time.

Tyrian swiped his fist across Pyrrha’s face and then pinned her against the wall, staring directly into her eyes with an insane grin on his face. “Give yourself up, and they live. Last chance.” Tyrian snarled, but Pyrrha suddenly extended her reach with Polarity, and launched an old Drainage Cover into him. The metallic bang rang out for miles, and he tumbled across the floor, driving the Queen’s Servant’s into the ground, sparks bounced from the contact of his blades. Pyrrha held the Snapped Crocea Mors tight and clenched her fist, she may not be as strong as she once was… but she was still Pyrrha Nikos.

Weiss landed next to her and nodded her head at her friend. Weiss blasted off the Glyph she casted behind her, thrusting Myrtenaster forward to try and stab Tyrian in the chest, but he ducked down and kicked Pyrrha in the chest as she jumped towards him. But Pyrrha stuck the landing and quickly slashed Crocea Mors down towards him. He stopped her arm with his tail and fired both machine guns into Weiss, slowly withering down her aura, but then Weiss blasted a powerful gust of Wind from her Glyphs which forced him backwards. Weiss shot forward once again, and she rolled across his back and grabbed onto his long tail of hair.

He yelped from the pain and she launched him towards Pyrrha who held out her arm to close line him. Tyrian tumbled across the ground but stood back up and he rushed towards Pyrrha once more, she swung her fist at him, but he suddenly launched his tail forward and wrapped it around her arm, yanking her forward and he slashed at her, before jumping and flipping forward, slamming Pyrrha down against the ground with immense force. He then landed on her chest, blocking the incoming Icicles with his mechanical tail.

He stomped down at Pyrrha’s head, only for Weiss to stop him by deflecting his tail with Myrtenaster, and she then jumped up and kicked him twice in the face. He stumbled off Pyrrha, but Weiss continued. She dashed forward, jabbing the pointed blade of Myrtenaster at his chest over and over again, widdling away at his aura, before stabbing the sword down into the ground, suddenly blasting huge spikes of ice from the ground at him.

He crossed his Pincer Blades over, and they blocked the ice, but the impact still threw him backwards. He dropped but spun across the floor, landing on his tail. He jumped up in the air and landed back on his feet. Weiss had learned to do many other things as well with her ever-evolving Semblance, and she channelled her aura into the tip of her sword, closing her eyes, and she suddenly blasted a powerful beam of white energy towards him. But Tyrian’s bulb caught the beam, and he started to refract the beam by slowly moving his tail, causing it to carve through one of the windows, before turning it back at Weiss.

She gasped, and the beam threw her backwards, slamming her against a wall. Pyrrha gasped. “Weiss!” But his insane cackling turned her gaze as Tyrian charged towards her and jumped, he dove down and slammed both Queen’s Servants down at her throat, but she held Jaune’s Old Sword up, stopping the impact. They stared into each other’s eyes, and she saw what he was.

Evil.

Nothing More.

Nothing Less.

Hazel punched fast and hard at Cinder, but suddenly Thunderous Deception wrapped around Hazel’s muscular arm. He turned to see Oscar who smirked at him and he suddenly pulled him backwards, before retracting the hammer’s chain back to the handle. Hazel roared, throwing a punch towards Oscar, but he dove down and slid under his fist, spinning around and smashing his hammer up Hazel’s jaw. He grunted from the strike, and he crashed through the roof of the building.

Hazel growled savagely as he climbed out from the building, ripping out a piece of rebar with ease and throwing it down at them like a spear. Oscar’s eyes widened when he looked at the building, hearing screaming. “Wait…” He gasped, seeing little kids inside, a whole family. He then looked around at the whole town, realising something shocking. “Oh shit, this place isn’t abandoned!” Hazel suddenly dove down and threw Oscar against the ground. “There are people here… stop this…” Oscar winced.

“I know who you are…” Hazel growled, glaring at his face. “You’re his new form… and you will die like all the rest.” He threatened. Cinder drove her Spear she forged straight through Hazel’s back, twisting it to pull him backwards from Oscar. She then blasted flames from her feet and ripped the long spear from his spine and threw it down towards his face. Hazel raised his hand and the spear stabbed straight through his hand and pinned him down against the ground.

Cinder saw them as well. “The hell? You’re right! I thought this place was abandoned.” Cinder shook her head with confusion, something did not feel right.

The buildings… they’re old, broken and falling apart. How could there possibly still be people here?

She stared at one of the families, and she noticed something… they shimmered for a few moments.

“No… it is abandoned… someone else is here. Focus, don’t let anything distract you.” Cinder told him as she looked around.

Emerald? Is this you?

No it can’t be… yes she is good with her illusions, but showing the same thing to multiple people? For a long time? No… this is someone else.

Cinder could no longer ponder, because Hazel suddenly jumped up towards her and grabbed her by the shoulders, pummelling her down against the floor with brute force. He lifted her up and smashed her down repeatedly. Oscar jumped overhead and the Chains of Thunderous Deception wrapped around his throat and Hazel choked on them as Oscar pulled him off his friend. He then launched the other Hammer forward into Hazel’s face, before yanking him forward so hard it made him fall flat on his face. Oscar charged towards him and spun the chain hard and fast, jumping up and slamming the momentum built up directly into Hazel’s face.

He grunted, thrown up into the air, and Cinder jumped up, forming her Obsidian Battle Axe and slamming it down into his chest with all her might. He crashed down against the ground and snarled, crushing the axe down into embers, getting up without a scratch. “Gods this dude is tough.”

“He’s a monster – the dude in your head? Ozpin? Well he was the one who made him, he wanted to find new ways to challenge Salem, and creating a monster from dead people was one of his ideas. Something that could not be killed… except he didn’t expect that monster to join Salem instead. So if you’re wondering why this bastard hates you so much? It’s because of that.” Cinder assured.

“Whoa… okay… not gonna lie, can’t say I can blame the big dude. But I’m not interesting in paying the price for Ozpin’s mistakes.” Oscar yelled, and he charged towards Hazel and launched his Hammer towards him, only for Hazel to suddenly catch the chain and yank him towards him. He then punched him in the face, creating a fiery explosion upon impact. Oscar crashed to the ground with a groan, his aura took one hell of a beating there, it even flickered when he hit the ground. Cinder flew around him, blasting icicles down from above, but he raised his forearm, taking the spikes of ice, melting them down into steam.

He stomped down against the ground, and the flames channelled through his boots into the ground, sending fire bursting from the cracks he forced. Cinder dodged each of the pillars of fire that came after her, but one of them collided into her, knocking her out of the air. Cinder gasped and she shuffled backwards on the ground, Hazel started to go berserk, pummelling the ground repeatedly with vicious rage, shredding the ground around her, only narrowly missing her. Cinder then closed her eyes, and the roots in the earth swiftly came from the snow and they wrapped around his body. Oscar and Cinder both charged towards him and they jumped for him, only for Hazel’s veins to glow bright red.

Hazel howled deafeningly as his eyes glowed red, and he created one hell of a pulse of hot air through his body. The vines burned to ash and the blast knocked the two of them out of the air. Cinder held her ground but both she and Oscar could not hold off against the sheer heat, and it shredded their aura until it broke. They both collapsed to the ground, groaning in pain from their burns. But luckily his pulse ended before the burns could be too serious.

Pyrrha and Weiss turned with wide eyes, and they quickly returned back to Oscar and Cinder who needed backup.

Pyrrha raised her fist and the broken sword whilst Weiss kept her sword on Hazel. Tyrian landed in front of Pyrrha with that same mad smirk on his face.

But then…

… red petals shot behind Tyrian.

A shocked smile of disbelief formed on Weiss’ face, and Hazel and Tyrian both looked past Pyrrha and Weiss. There she stood in the shadows with her hood pulled up. Hazel gritted his teeth and channelled fire into his fist, blasting a fireball towards her. But then the figure spun two razor sharp One-Handed Sickles through her fingers, blocking the fireballs from hitting her. Hazel’s eyes widened because he now realised who it was as well.

When she opened those silver eyes.

She stepped out into the lunar light, and Ruby Rose smirked at the two Villains. Cinder couldn’t help but chuckle. “Oh you two are so fucked.”

An Altum Eagle unexpectedly shrieked and dove down towards Tyrian, slashing his talons across the side of his face. Yang blasted through one of the old buildings towards Tyrian and punched him across the face, breaking his stance, and Tyrian stabbed down at the Blonde Brawler as Ruby, Eryka, Winter, Nora and Ren all charged towards Hazel Rainart. He blocked the incoming bullets from Stormflower as he slid down the icy snow, and Nora launched Magni towards him.

His eyes widened as the small hammer crashed into his chest so hard he had to dig his feet into the ground. The hammer called back to her hand, whilst Eryka slid underneath Tyrian’s legs whilst Yang laid a beating on him punch after punch, she slashed Slice ‘n Dice across Tyrian’s leg, then drove the sword straight through Tyrian’s gut when Yang broke his aura. A bone chilling roar of agony erupted from Tyrian. Yang proceeded to punch Tyrian in the face so hard it broke his nose and he tumbled to the ground as Eryka pulled the blade from his stomach.

Ruby slashed Black Thorn repeatedly across Hazel’s chest, dodging his punches, and Ren fired the blades of Stormflower into his shoulders, firing himself forward and kicking Hazel in the chest. Winter also drove her sword down into the ground and the impact sent huge spikes of Ice towards Hazel, impaling the invincible monster. “Heads up!” Nora called out, firing Stormur Skeggox’ Grenade Launcher into Hazel, and the explosion threw him across the ground.

Hazel turned and grabbed Tyrian. “Get up!” Hazel yelled.

“I… argh… I can’t…” Tyrian winced.

“If you’re expecting mercy from us, guess again.” Winter assured.

“You will be begging mercy from our Queen soon enough.” Hazel assured, Ruby turned and gasped.

“Look out!” She yelled, as the last thing they ever expected to see up here came roaring towards them.

The Gyrfalcon.

The massive Assault Ship banked around the Spiring Peak of the Mountain, and it fired its missiles towards them. Winter drove her sword into the ground, forming a protective barrier to keep them all safe, but the Gyrfalcon descended low enough for Hazel to carry Tyrian aboard. Ruby stared through the bubble at Watts who smirked sinisterly at her, before the rear door closed, and the Gyrfalcon’s Thrusters blasted the Airship away into the horizon.

“Looks like he’s managed to upgrade that thing…” Ruby stated.

“Li’s gonna need to hear about this development.” Yang said. They all turned to Weiss, Pyrrha, Cinder and Oscar. Nora and Ren stared at Pyrrha with utter disbelief at who they were looking at. But no words were shared, and despite everything – the two of them quickly ran to Pyrrha and embraced her in a warm hug. Pyrrha looked just as shocked, she believed they were dead as well.

They were gonna have to talk… and it would not be a pretty one… but for the moment… it was just joy to see each other again.

Tears welled up in Weiss’ eyes as she sprinted to her big sister and jumped into her arms. They both cried tears of happiness, and Winter fell to her knees as she held her close. Ruby and Yang both approached Weiss and they held her as well, turning to see Blake and Amber coming down here. Amber guided their friend down the steps, and Yang’s eyes widened with shock at her friend’s eyes.

“Blake…” Yang softly said.

“Yang…” Blake stammered, Yang immediately got up and wrapped her arms around her former partner.

Eryka smiled as she saw them all reunited, but… part of her was sad. She really hoped she would see Neptune’s face among them… but no… not everyone got to be reunited with lost loved ones.

“Come on… let’s get you all somewhere warm, and something to eat.” Ruby said with a smile.

 

Watts

 

Tyrian growled in pain as he held his gut, feeling the blood leaking from the injury. “Hold him still, Hazel.” Watts commanded as he held the vial in his hand, the swirling Grave Dust rose up with his Golden Rings which shone blue. He then gave Tyrian a piece of leather. “Bite it, unless you want to lose your tongue.”

Tyrian did as he was told, and the Grave Dust descended down to his wound and he roared with immense pain as the dust started to close the wound as originally intended. Stopping the bleeding and sealing the injury. That was the original idea behind this dust, a device that keeps people stable long enough for medical teams to arrive so they can actually patch them up without them bleeding out. It took a few seconds, but it was agonizing, but he stayed conscious, and took the strap from his mouth, with the indentions of his teeth left behind.

Tyrian laid on the floor, recovering from his injury. “Damn it… we were so close.” Hazel growled.

“Do not despair, Hazel. We will have our chance. Besides, we know for certain where they all are now.” Watts explained.

“Yes, the Summit’s Claim. That place is like a Fortress and no Grimm can get up there. Yeah the Gyrfalcon can but even then… I don’t think this thing could destroy it alone. Not with all those damn kids down there.” Hazel explained.

“We won’t need the Gyrfalcon. Salem has plans for an Army of Grimm specifically designed to take the place down. Now that we know the Summit’s Claim has been where they have been hiding for the past six years… we can eliminate them and get our hands on that Relic.” Watts explained.

“But… we still failed… our Queen.” Tyrian reminded, and Watts gently held his shoulder.

“No we did not. Salem told us that all she asks of us is that we try. The one to blame is back at Evernight, and we are about to witness his punishment for what he did.” Watts explained.

Tyrian could not help but giggle. “About time.”

 

Salem

 

Hours later…

She held her hands together, glowing red eyes glaring across the long table. She did not move and did not say a single word to him. Adam was on his knees before the very end of the table, whilst the Children of Salem, Mercury and Emerald were sat at their seats. And stood around the room were the Fourteen Praetorian Knights. All in the Shadows, awaiting their orders.

Tyrian was laid back in his seat, bandaged up by Watts, but he still was listening and ready to do anything for his queen.

Then…

… Salem spoke.

“I would like you to explain… to me… what specific part of my order you could not understand?” Salem asked him, staring directly at him.

“I…” Adam fumbled for words. Salem’s expression did not change, she just stared at him with her hands together. “I wanted to carry out your will, to show that Cinder Fall was wrong to challenge you.”

“More… lies…” Salem whispered, staring directly into his eyes.

Salem fell silent once more, it made the other Children of Salem feel uncomfortable. Emerald gently tugged at her arm as she sat there. Then something seemed to brew up in Adam’s eyes, and he glared back at her. “Yes… that was a lie.” He admitted. Watts raised a brow. “I did what I did because your way of doing things is not working. You let her live-in safety despite being the very thing you sought to destroy. How are we supposed to carry out your will if you do not let us?” He barked; Salem just glared directly into his eyes.

No anger.

Nothing at all.

Yet Adam’s heart was pounding. “Ma’am…” He softly said, his voice breaking. Yet Salem still fell silent, he then looked at them all. He couldn’t help but laugh at them. “Look at you all. How can you all not see things the way that I do? We follow her blindly, doing whatever it is that she asks! She always tells us she will give us the things that we want, but what has she given any of you? Huh? Have you got the revenge you wanted, Hazel? How about you, Killian? Are you able to live your peaceful life alongside being a Tyrant? The only person she cares about is herself!” Adam barked.

Salem’s eyes tracked him as he dared to walk towards her, and Tyrian gritted his teeth, ready to pound, but Salem gently put her hands down and touched his knee to calm him. “She is nothing more than… a liar.” He snarled, standing right in front of her. Salem smiled kindly, tilting her head.

The Silence was agonizing.

Then… her kind face changed… her eyes started to glow…

… and then she bolted upright and grabbed him by the throat, lifting him off the floor like he weighed nothing at all. He choked and gasped for air, kicking his legs back and forth. “Oh Adam… round and round we go with this… how many times must we have this conversation?” She sounded like she was speaking to a petulant child. “You disobeyed me, lied to me – and now you insult those loyal to me… and call me a liar?” Salem questioned as her nails dug into his neck. She sapped him of his aura instantly, breaking it.

She stared up at him, her eyes furious now. “You served me well in the past, but this? This is something I cannot let go unpunished.” Salem glanced down at his Grimm Hoofed Legs. “I gave you those legs, do not forget how easily I can take them away.” Adam suddenly felt a burning hot tormenting pain in his legs, as the black limps evaporated into smoke and blood began to pour out from the stumps.

He shrieked from the pain and Sale, released him, letting him fall on the floor. He grabbed his legs and writhed from how much it hurt. That was when a Blood Red Glyph formed beneath him, and the blackened Apathy Hands reached up and grabbed his arms and body, holding him still. She smiled down at him with her hands held together. She then lifted her head to the Fourteenth Knight.

“My Knight… please educate Young Adam Taurus on what happens to those who disobey me.” Salem commanded politely, Adam screamed from both the agony and the pain.

“No! Please! Your grace! I beg of you; I won’t disobey you again! I understand now! I understand!” Adam pathetically cried out, tears streamed from his eyes and down his cheeks.

The Knight stood over him, and suddenly brought his sword down towards his face. The blade cut his cheek, driven down into the marble floor right next to his head. Adam shrieked with terror, feeling the heat from the Relic of Destruction that burned the floor next to him. He whimpered and stared at the Knight.

It was no Praetorian Knight.

It leant down from the shadows, revealing its face. “You’re scared… and weak!” Jaune Arc snarled, with a demented grin across his face, his eyes glowed purple. His skin was pale like Salem’s with cracks of purple embers spreading from his eyes. Clad in heavy impressive armour.

The Children of Salem, Emerald and Mercury all shared the same look of total shock and awe.

Jaune… was alive… and turned into a monster…

Jaune pulled the Relic of Destruction from the ground and walked over Adam, his heavy boot stomped over his gut. He gasped and cried with terror on the floor, snivelling pathetically. Salem stood there as Jaune stood beside her. “Bring me my Lamp… and my Sword.” She commanded with glowing red eyes.

Adam stared at his legs as the Hooves returned and he could stand once more as the Apathy Hands released him. He stumbled back upright, hunched forward with fear of his Queen. “I will! I promise… I promise I won’t fail you again! I pro-mise!” He wailed, sobbing as he hobbled away. Salem smirked and she turned back to the Children of Salem.

She walked back towards her Throne with Jaune following her.

“The time of our Victory is near, my children. It is time we find the final two pieces of the puzzle. Icarus take Adam Taurus and one of my Praetorian Knights. I have created a grand force of Grimm which can survive the trek up to the Summit’s Claim. Burn it to ash.” She commanded.

“It will be done.” Icarus bowed his head.

“Killian, I want the Black Gallows at the ready. Make sure we have no loose ends trying to uncover any secrets about us.”

“Consider it done.”

“Watts, Hazel, I want you to take Emerald and Mercury, and when he is recovered – Tyrian – and you must find the final Relics. If Ruby Rose manages to escape Icarus and Adam’s assault, find them and eliminate her, and bring me the Lamp. If Icarus manages to get the Lamp in his attack, then find Creation. We must find the Relics… and finish what we have started.” Salem ordered.

“Your wish is our command, your grace.” Watts assured.

The Children of Salem all stood up and departed to carry out their duties as ordered by Salem.

The Dark Queen sat down upon her throne and leant back against its spine, with Jaune stood beside her. She smirked sinisterly as they all left.

Knowing – everything was going according to plan…

 

 

Chapter 12: The Salem Knight

Chapter Text

Then…

 

Six years ago…

He held the Scroll to his ear, staring Salem down as she got even closer. He thickly swallowed with a shaky breath as she reached out her hand. “I’m sorry…” He uttered, before he hit the send button. The blast completely vaporised him in fire, and Salem’s body was also destroyed in the explosion. From his eyes, it was all over… just nothing. But for Salem, it was nothing but the same thing all over again. She rose from the ashes like a Phoenix, bones and muscle forming from a glowing gold light. She hardly even seemed bothered by the explosions which were being set off in a chain reaction.

She stood over the crater as the land collapsed around her, including the area that Pyrrha fell through and died in. The smoke and fire caressed her pale skin, yet it hardly even affected her, and she rose up, staring down at where he was. There was nothing left to remember him by, and she clenched her hand into a fist. She turned her head to the smoke to see Weiss and Blake, wounded and nearly dying, making a break for it. But she did not pursue, instead she turned her frustrations to the Tower, where Ozpin was still dying.

He laid upon the ground as the entire building began to collapse around him, the Amphitheatre still aflame with the bodies scattered everywhere. And no sign of Team C.R.D.L. Just the bloodied remains of Cardin’s arm on the floor, and Jaymes Ickford, his neck crushed by Salem in one single moment. Ozpin coughed blood in pain as he laid there, and Salem approached him slowly, staring down at him.

Her eyes seemed to glow fiercely with that red energy that coursed through her veins alongside all the other Grimm that served her. He just glared at her and wheezed. Salem gritted her teeth, and she brought the Sword downwards with all her might into his chest, the flames erupted through his entire body, burning every inch of him to dust, and the shockwave created from the impact shattered the remaining support beams.

The huge skyscraper began to crumble down towards the ground with a deafening roar, Salem did not move as it completely buried her. Massive chunks of rock which consumed the entire building. More explosions erupted across the entire Academy, caused from Jaune’s final act. A few moments passed before the huge pile of rubble suddenly exploded, and Salem rose from it, completely unharmed, glowing gold. She left it and Ozpin’s body, lost and forgotten beneath the rubble.

Most likely still the site where his bones were buried to this day.

 

What do I do now? The Boy was the only way for me to acquire that damned sword. I had hoped it was all supposition, but the Sword beneath Beacon was a lie.

Perhaps… the Relic of Knowledge… could help me locate the Relic’s true location? Destruction, Choice and Knowledge must still be hidden within the Academies. Ozpin must have done something different with Creation to keep it safe, he always was quite the cleverest and most cunning.

However… I have changed… and am no longer the girl he once knew, not the one that Ozma knew.

All this means nothing though, I need a Young Male Arc, that was how it worked. That was how the link to the Relic worked, it was bound to the Arcs, and only young male Arcs could wield the weapon… supposedly, at the very least.

I know of a few methods though; it would already be easier if I could just use Creation to resurrect him… but… there are other… darker… methods of resurrection.

But would my followers still believe in me if they learned I was capable of Necromancy?

The Boy was indeed the enemy, and yet I wonder… how would they react if they saw him brought back to life? Even if he was a puppet? Would they still follow me? I imagine Tyrian would stay loyal; he would never risk displeasing me. Emerald and Mercury are teetering on the edge right now, I can tell from the way they stand to the side. Killian is constantly war with his own morality, and I fear Hazel could view me the same way he already views Ozpin.

What were you thinking, Ozma? When you robbed the graves of the dead to create Hazel Rainart? How did you think that would ever serve your ideals in the long run? The ways in which you do things never ceases to confound me.

That foolish boy Adam Taurus on the other hand is a ticking time bomb, how he believes he could ever replace Cinder is beyond me, and his sick obsession over that poor girl, Miss Belladonna, just angers me. Not only is it cruelty for the sake of it, but it makes him predictable, and no matter how impressive your fighting skills may be, your predictability is what can eventually lead to your downfall.

A fact I am certain he will learn very soon if he maintains his current course.

And for Watts and Icarus?

Well, Watts has known me half his life and helped me get back on my feet after what happened to my children. Somehow… I know it was not Ozma, he would have never done what that man did. Watts will most likely stay loyal but will also become fascinated in the Dark Magic I used to summon his soul and resurrect his corporeal form. And Icarus is a Mercenary, for now he is only loyal to his Paycheck, however I believe he is amendable, Watts does speak highly of him after all.

And Watts does not sing one’s praises very often. I guess I shall take that as a sign.

However, I will need to find something that once belonged to him… that will be one piece in the puzzle I will require. I can imagine… it will take me some time to fully find a way to bring Jaune Arc back from his early grave.

It could take many years to find all the components I need… and more so… to wait for the right moment.

I know with certainty that those children are not dead, and survived that savage man, Valravn Branwen. They will continue to cling to their fleeting hope, their aspirations.

But that is merely the first move.

So, let them come, let them try to stop me. Try to tear down the world I am going to create from the ashes of their old one.

Because when they come… I will be waiting… and he shall be beside me…

 

The six years which followed had many events that Salem oversaw with her many minions, her eyes and ears were everywhere, and they learned everything. From the culling of the Huntsmen and Huntresses on the run, or the rising Insurrection against her new rule. One she brutally cut down with efficiency, butchering them all one by one and stuffing what remained in secret locations, alongside the corpses of the poor Huntsmen and Huntresses who could not get away and find safe refuge.

But during the many years, the Children of Salem and even the Dark Queen herself were carrying out their nefarious plans. Out in Vale, Tyrian and Hazel approached an old Cemetery together. They both watched from the shadows as a mourning Saphron Arc was crouched before the grave of Jaune Arc, sobbing with Terra gently holding her close, kissing her cheek. No matter how many years passed, they were all still suffering from the loss of such a loved family member. Pyrrha’s grave was next to him – and Tyrian spotted another couple. They were older and both looking forlorn as well.

Jaune’s parents – there was a lot of pain in their eyes, perhaps it was guilt? For not supporting him in his decisions enough? For not being there for him when he needed them?

Tyrian scoffed as he watched them. “Weakness… crying over the dead. What is the point? The dead cannot hear your cries.” He hissed with a snarl, Hazel did not say a word, he just bowed his head artificially. The rain fell around them constantly, clapping against the leaves in the trees and onto their hoods. Eventually the Arc Family departed from Jaune’s grave, and when it was clear the two of them approached. Tyrian disrespectfully pranced across the Grave of Jaune, disrespecting it completely. But Hazel clenched his hand into a fist and stared him down.

“Get… off.” He warned with a deep growl. Tyrian stood there, glaring right at the undying man.

“What’s it to you? He was our enemy.” Tyrian shrugged his shoulders like that of a child. But Hazel just glared at him as the rainwater trickled down his skin and chin. It felt like a fight was about to break out, but Tyrian eventually stepped off his grave. Hazel approached the knocked over flowers and he crouched down, righting them and holding his hands behind his back. He bowed his head honourably.

“I’m sorry, Jaune Arc. I wish there were a better way for the world to change. I still wish Killian’s method had worked.” He sighed.

“If you wanted that to work then why did you not work with him?” Tyrian cooed.

“The same reason why Salem let Watts in on it and did not let you have any input until he was arrested. Because Salem commanded, I try to capture Jaune Arc whenever I could. Perhaps I should have captured him… maybe his family would not be mourning him right now.” He sighed sadly.

Tyrian clearly cared extraordinarily little for his regrets; he just immediately approached the other Grave beside Jaune Arc. Not Pyrrha’s, the one on the other side.

“Well, well… here lies Grandpa Arc.” Tyrian giggled, stood over the grave of – Athelstan Arc. The Grandfather who gave Jaune Crocea Mors in the first place, and it ruffled some feathers in the family. Especially with his parents, and Jaune always sung the highest of praises about his Grandfather. He always seemed to know more than he let on, but never spoke of who came before.

Strange…

They waited until nightfall, and once the sun had fallen behind the Horizon and the Shattered Moon floated in the endless dark… the two of them returned. Hazel shone his flashlight onto Athelstan’s grave, and he glanced at Tyrian. “Come on, let us carry out our Queen’s Bidding.” Tyrian said, so they started to dig.

“Why the hell does she even want a part of his body? He’s just some old dead man.” Hazel questioned, digging up the soil with ease.

“I do not know and do not need to know. I simply do as my Queen wishes.” Tyrian answered, throwing lumps of soil over his shoulder, but that caused Hazel to pause.

“Wait… so even you don’t know? Even Watts and the others don’t know.” Hazel stated, stabbing his Shovel down against the soil, Tyrian looked right at him.

“Have you been going behind her back? Sewing doubt amongst us?” Tyrian hissed, and Hazel narrowed his eyes.

“No – I just don’t like feeling like I am being lied to.” Hazel answered.

“We are all on a need-to-know basis. She will explain all when the time is right, until then we carry out her wishes. That is our duty, we owe her everything. Especially you.” Tyrian snarled.

“You don’t have to remind me.” Hazel assured, digging harder into the soil now.

“She accepted you when nobody else would. All they saw was a monster… how dare you doubt our Queen.” Tyrian prodded.

“I am not doubting her!” Hazel barked, which made Tyrian giggle disturbingly.

“I guess we shall see.” Tyrian said, proceeding to dig further. They kept on digging until they hit the Coffin. The wood splintered beneath the shovel and Hazel crouched down and ripped it open, revealing the skeletal remains of Athelstan inside. He shuddered.

“Never liked the idea of Grave Robbing.” Hazel said.

“Ironic, considering you’re the product of it.” Tyrian said, more than happy to rummage around the bones of the old Arc Warrior.

“Go to hell.” Hazel growled.

“One day, my big lump of a friend. One day!” He laughed, somehow that made Hazel find Tyrian that much more unnerving. The fact that he knew where he would be going when he finally met his end meant he did not fear it. And that was far scarier than someone who did. Because that meant nothing could stop him, only death.

Tyrian grabbed the forearm of Athelstan, and he slammed his boot down onto the elbow, snapping it off. He held it in his hand and grinned, turning to Hazel. “Here we have it, come. Let us bring this back to our Queen.”

 

At another point in time during the Six Years…

Salem walked with Five of her Praetorian Knights towards a mysterious, and massive ancient castle somewhere in Vale. Huge did not do this place justice – and it had a simple name.

Arcadia.

This was Vale’s final bastion in the Great War, when the Vacuan Mongrels and Mistraalian Immortals converged here, overlooking the ocean which led to Vytal – where the remaining Military of Vale retreated, and the war came to an epic close there, when the new younger leaders called for a ceasefire, knowing that this war was going to wipe them out.

At least that was what the History Books said…

Of course, it was believed that the superstition that surrounded their precious moon had something to do with it. The most Recent Eclipse happened on that very day, and many believed that they did not battle on Vytal, but fought together against something much, much worse.

Though sadly, neither stories have complete fact behind them, there were hardly any records left behind. Just stories… and stories could be embellished to suit a narrative.

Salem approached the drawbridge and she held out her hands, causing the destroyed Bridge to rise from the chasm of water beneath them, reconnecting together. She and her Knights walked across it with great ease, and the Dark Queen blasted a powerful fireball into the door which blew it clean off its old, rusted hinges. She walked inside, passing by the Ancient States of Knights holding swords, clad in armour. The armour was like that of the Arma Gigas, clearly from the same era, however it had different styling. More medieval with cloaks instead.

This place must have been over a thousand years old yet was most likely only abandoned for about a century, since the Great War ended roughly only eighty years ago, nearing ninety in the present. The Praetorian Knights were unnerving in how they moved, Salem could not help but look around the place. It was beautiful, so much history just sat here for people to find. And even this place was a mass grave, broken bones and skeletons left where they fell. But they all died fighting, Salem could not help but show respect for such bravery.

The Praetorian Knights respectfully walked around the bodies as they followed their Queen, getting closer and closer to the location of which they were searching for. She turned the corner and found a large Chamber, one of which the Praetorian Knights did not enter. She slowly walked inside with her hands behind her back, looking around the large room, huge caskets forged from stone inside.

However, she approached one of them and held out her hands, pushing the lid of it off, forcing it down onto the ground. She slowly approached and looked down at the skeleton inside, the one she put here in the first place. She stared down at him with disdain. “Hello old friend…” She softly said with rage in her burning red eyes. “Despite how much I wish I could force you to suffer in the purgatory I trapped you in… I need you now.”

She revealed the Relic of Choice, meaning this was after she acquired it from Atlas. She placed the Golden Crown atop her head, and it shone before the bones. She could hear demented screams from the skeleton and she held out her hand. A dark smoke erupted from the bones however it could not escape her. She smirked as it writhed, holding it close. “There you are…” She whispered, before grabbing the skull of the body and ripping it from the neck. The smoke howled like it was in agony, but she hardly even reacted.

She held the skull in her palm and closed her red eyes, before staring at the smoke which became trapped within her.

“One to go…”

 

Emerald and Mercury were the ones to find the final piece of this puzzle, despite none of them knowing why they were going on a scavenger hunt for parts of long dead men. Mercury raised his fists, ready to fight at any second as they approached the house, but Emerald stopped him. “Wait…” She whispered, and she held his hand and pressed her fingers to her head, closing her red eyes. He calmed down, feeling at home whenever she held his hand, and the two of them approached the house, and she crouched down. Her semblance had become more powerful now, and she could hold it for longer, even without having to hold his hand.

She worked her magic on the door, picking the lock, and then she slowly and carefully opened the door. The two of them walked inside, peeking around each of the corners. It was midnight here, and the owners of the house were asleep by now. Alongside the youngest daughter, the two of them carefully walked through the house and approached the stairs. They could see the couple asleep in their bed together, but it was clear that they were struggling to get any sleep.

Emerald saw the door – it still had the name on it like when they were children.

Jaune’s Room!

No Pigtails!

Emerald let out a nervous exhale as she approached the door of his old bedroom. She carefully opened the door, and just as they heard – the room was left exactly as he left it when he left home to join Beacon.

Messy.

With an old Pumpkin Pete’s box left on the floor, probably the one that came with his hoodie. Sadly, that one was gone, but it was not what they were looking for. They approached his closet and carefully opened it, whilst Mercury kept an eye on the door. She looked inside and saw his old clothes. “Hey…” She whispered, grabbing one of the other Black Hoodies. “You think this would work?”

“She said something that meant a lot to him.” He said, and he turned and saw some of the things that were left on the floor. He crouched down and held it in his hand – it was an old kid’s toy.

A sword, to be exact.

Nothing overly special about it, but they both knew how much he wanted to be a Huntsman. They thought maybe they could have chosen one of the Cereal Boxes because – Pyrrha Nikos. But… he did not know her at this time, and the object had to have been important to him the last time he was there.

Perhaps this could work.

He picked up the toy sword but as they were about to leave, they heard the crying from the bedroom as Jaune’s mother got up. She went to the bathroom, perhaps to try and calm herself down, but she stopped.

The door was open.

She slowly approached the room as she sniffled, and pushed it open, finding nobody inside. However, they were still in there, stood completely still with Emerald keeping them invisible from her view. But they had to stay silent and motionless for it to be convincing, unlike with the Fall Maiden before Cinder. The Mother looked around with confusion, wiping the tears from her eyes. Emerald felt so bad for her, it was clear how badly the Arc family was suffering with the death of Jaune.

They could never prepare themselves for that side of this job, seeing how it hurt the people they were close to. The Inhumane Necessity never sat right with them… hell none of this did. After Cinder vanished, they ran, tried to escape but one of the Abductors snatched them and brought them back to Salem to be punished.

They both still had the scars.

The mother looked at his bed where his clothes laid and she just wiped her tears away before quietly going to the bathroom, closing the door behind her. Emerald looked at Mercury and he smiled, gently caressing her cheek. “C’mon… let’s go. This family has been through enough.”

They vaulted through the window and Emerald returned to the front door and closed it.

 

The Day Pyrrha resurrected…

When all four pieces were brought together, Salem stood with her Praetorian Knights before a massive cauldron filled with the Bubbling Grimm Tar that forged the Grimm. She closed her eyes, and she began to speak in a tongue that was older than anyone could possibly remember.

“Semoto a profundis puer meus…” She began, holding the skeletal arm of Athelstan above the tar, and dropping it into the cauldron. Her veins started to glow red as she formed a strange dark field around it, forcing the tar to start vigorously bubbling, like it was boiling. Her voice echoed off itself as she continued the enchantment, sounding more and more demonic. “Aperi oculos tuos filius meus: ecce nos novae terrae…” She chanted, dropping the skull into the cauldron. She held out her arms as she felt the Dark Magic pulse through her like a drug. Her veins pulsated with red light. She picked up the toy sword and ran her fingers across its blade, before continuing the ritual. “Effundet sanguinem blasphemantium…” She continued, dropping the rubber sword down into it as well. Its rubber mould started to melt as the force of pure destruction consumed it. Then Salem held out her arms as the Black Smoke shot out from her sternum, hovering above her head, the Relic of Choice glowing constantly as she held it there against its will.

She opened her glowing red eyes and roared the final chant. “Surge morte de manu tua, serve meus, et filii regina!” She then sent the screeching black smoke down into the tar with force, and it splashed within it. Salem raised her hands with powerful magic being cast, lifting the entire swirling ball of tar from the vat. Horrific screeches erupted from within as she held it, and she could see the glowing purple light through the darkness, slowly forming the bones, the muscle and organs and finally the skin and hair.

Then the Tar was thrown everywhere, and it faded away into black smoke, dropping the naked pale skinned and white-haired body of Jaune Arc onto the floor. Salem lowered her hands as she stared down at Jaune on the floor, shivering from either fear or the cold. But Salem gazed at him with total awe as she crouched down, and gently touched his shoulder, turning him around. The moment he saw her kind motherly smile, he screamed with terror, crawling backwards, hitting the wall.

“What the hell is this? Where am I? How am I?” He stammered, staring at his chest to see the scars still there from the Ursa Major.

“Interesting… you still bear the scars of your former life. For the first time in so many years… you are the first person in millions of years that I have actually succeeded in bringing someone back from death. Thirteen times I tried… thirteen tries I failed.” Salem said as she crouched down before him, and gently caressed his cheek. “Until now…”

He shuddered and glared at her with gritted teeth. He remembered… he seemed to remember everything up until the moment of his death perfectly. “Clever and courageous move, Mr Arc… I must admit. Killing yourself to stop me… but you miscalculated the effect my efforts have had.” Salem explained as she rose back up and walked around him with her arms behind her back. He hugged his knees fearfully as a deep purple glow flickered around his eyes for a moment and he shuddered.

“The world has changed since your passing, Mr Arc.” Salem stated. “You can help me keep the world safe, however… I still need something from you.” She said, stopping before him, facing the door. “The Relic… of Creation.”

He glared at her and he scoffed. “I… will never help you.” He defiantly growled, and Salem turned with a smile.

“Is that so?” She then narrowed her eyes, and the Relic of Choice began to glow as she stared him down. The purple glows around his eyes became more and more aggressive and Jaune began to scream in agony as he shook on the floor, grabbing his face as they burned cracks into his eyelids and around the eyes themselves. She then stopped and that kind smile returned, blood leaked from his open wounds as he laid there, and Salem crouched down before him. “Your defiance is admirable… but mistaken.” Salem stated. “I brought you back into this world, and I have already placed the power within you to make you what I need you to be.” Salem explained, but Jaune gritted his teeth and suddenly swung his fist at Salem, but she caught his wrist and proceeded to throw him across the room and against the wall, where one of the Praetorian Knights walked up to him from behind.

“I… will never serve you!” He cried out, but Salem created an inhuman roar, dark and demonic as her eyes glowed bright red. The naked, weakened Arc tried to get back up but Salem then blasted powerful crackling glowing arcs of magic into his chest. Jaune screamed from the immense pain as countless elements struck him at once. She then stopped as she approached him.

“You dare to strike your saviour?” She snarled as she approached him. “Your arrogance to believe you were the apex of evolution doomed your future.” Salem growled.

Jaune panted as smoke trailed from the scorch marks on his chest, but as he tried to get back up the Praetorian Knight kicked him in the back, forcing him on is chest. It then reached down and grabbed him by the head and forced him to glare at her. “You… destroyed everything we built!” He strained.

“Because your leadership was bringing your civilisation to extinction!” She roared, suddenly punching him across the face, causing the purple energy within him to pulsate once more. It spread around his eyes, slowly beginning to infect the blue in his irises. She then proceeded to caress the side of his cheek that she punched, smiling in a motherly way once more. “My perfect creation… you’re going to help me fix this world, by finding the Relic of Creation and bringing it to me. Or what remains of your world will die forever.” She warned, smirking sinisterly. Her hand slid across his neck and up to his chin where she held him, looking right into his eyes. “I made you… you are now mine to command.”

 

The days passed on, and Salem’s corruption over Jaune grew and grew as her words began to seep into his mind. And… he was starting to understand… and even agree with her reasons. Something was very, very wrong… and the purple in his eyes was getting worse and worse. He followed Salem through the halls of Evernight, gazing at the old carvings which showed the Eclipse and a Sword floating on the ground, firing a powerful beam up into the sky.

But then she showed him many screens, ones that show the way in which the world worked now. He was no longer naked and was wearing some robes around his body as he saw it all. “I have not been starving and consuming this world, not like the U.G.R did, or you Headmasters did. I am restoring balance. No longer to the Faunus live under discrimination, for all those who viewed them in such cruel ways were executed for it, and any who would view people for simply being who they are would suffer the same fate.” Salem explained.

“Except for the Huntsmen and Huntresses?” Jaune asked, and she stopped, placing her hand against the wall.

“That… was different. It was necessary, a time of war, so to speak. Ozpin and the other Headmasters were no better than those politicians. They sat back and saw all the problems in the world and chose to do nothing about them. But look at the world now? Faunus and Humans working together in harmony. The Schnee Dust Company no longer forces Slave Labour upon its employees, and now that my presence is known, the Grimm no longer attack innocents. The world is more at peace than it has ever been.” Salem explained as she slid her hand across the wall, and Jaune followed her.

“But… what about Pyrrha? And my friends?” Jaune stammered.

She stopped and sighed. “We do not know. I fear many of them were lost in the Inhumane Necessity, but some did survive.” Salem explained.

“Which?” Jaune nervously asked, desperately hoping to hear Pyrrha’s name.

Salem showed him – the footage of Ruby Rose stealing the Relic of Knowledge from her, alongside Yang, Nora and Ren. “They have been trying to stop me from protecting the world from the threat that is inevitably coming.”

“Threat? What threat?” He stammered.

“There is a reason I seek the Relics, Mr Arc. I do not seek them for the reasons you have been told. The Brothers Grimm, the ones who made our world? They are coming, I can feel it. And when they do, I will need the Relics to stop them. They are the only tools powerful enough to cut them down.” Salem explained.

“What’s so bad about them coming back?” He asked.

“They wish to erase our world. They see us all as monsters, Jaune. Creatures, failures that must be eradicated to continue their endless plan. But I can ensure that we are safe from their desire for extinction.” Salem assured, before she approached Jaune and gently slid her fingers across his shoulder, whispering into his ear. “You… can save these people, Mr Arc. Isn’t that what you want? To protect the world?”

The purple glow was growing more and more powerful in his eyes, the more he started to agree with her, the more the corruption spread through his soul.

 

Six Hours Before Adam’s Punishment…

Jaune was levitating before Salem as bolts of lightning shot into him repeatedly, forcing the corruption to spread even faster than before. “The people you once called friends have returned…. And are working to bring about the destruction of this world by stopping what I aim to accomplish.” Salem explained, and Jaune twitched as he shook his head, desperately attempting to fight the corruption that was consuming his mind. His voice no longer sounded the same, there were tones of the Jaune that once was… but there was a second voice buried within, a much darker… and evil… voice.

“F-Friends?” He stammered, he could picture their faces but was unable to remember their names, not even Pyrrha.

“Yes. They have risen against us, and thanks to Adam Taurus’ foolish efforts, they have now allied themselves with Ruby Rose and the rest of her terrorist friends. We must destroy them…”

“… yes…” Jaune growled, sounding almost feral.

“You will find me the Relics of Creation and Knowledge, and atop their bones, the new world shall be born… and kept safe… My Knight…” She finished.

The blue eroded away from his eyes and they shone completely purple, and the scars were constantly shimmering and pulsing with the same vicious purple energy.

“I will destroy anything that stands in your way, my queen…”

 

Ruby

 

The cold snow drifted through the air whilst they all caught up, but it was noticeably clear that it was not just the Summit’s cold temperatures that were forming the cold feeling in the room. The impact of the Atlesian Wildlands still hurt both sides, more so for Weiss and Blake’s side of events. “How did you escape from Beacon? We… we went there a few months after it all fell apart… we saw the destruction…” Ruby explained with a stammered voice, like she was grasping for answers. Weiss and Blake both looked at Cinder who was still recovering her aura after her fight against Hazel.

“You can thank Cinder for that. She saved us… the Abductor that was hunting us the whole time we were tracking you? It came after us again, and it nearly grabbed us… that was when Cinder saved us. She killed it and took us in… she didn’t have to. She just did the right thing.” Weiss explained as she shot a smile towards the Fall Maiden who just shared a small one right back, taking a bite from the sandwich she was given.

“Sounds like my mother’s hospitality really changed you.” Yang said, there was a bit of resentment in her voice there.

“You could say that… I think it was this little goblin though.” She chuckled, ruffling Amber’s head, which made her giggle.

“Thank you, Cinder… really… I thought that I… lost them. I thought I failed them when I heard the news of what Salem had done to the Academies.” Ruby explained and Cinder just nodded at Ruby. Few words really had to be shared between them, clearly there was still a bit of rivalry between the two of them, even now. However, it was nothing like what it was four years ago when they tried to kill each other.

Yang could not help but glance at Blake’s eyes. “Blake… what happened?” Yang softly asked her, and the Feline Huntress turned her head in Yang’s direction.

“Adam… he was there that night. He came for me and… he cut out my eyes.” She revealed to them all, she did not show her scar to them though. “And… Sun… he’s gone…” The heartbreak had never been clearer in her voice, Yang wanted to hug her, but she could tell from the way she was sat – like she was shielding herself – neither had forgotten what happened.

They looked at Pyrrha and Ruby was about to ask the question that was lingering on all their minds – How are you alive? How is this even possible? What about Jaune?

But they could not cover the subject before the door opened.

Li Ren opened the door and closed it behind him, with Eryka following him. Pyrrha still had said nothing, just looking at her own reflection in the tea she was given. “Sashaa, Eryka and I just investigated that old town you were at. The fact that Salem’s Minions got so close and that Airship was able to fly up here is concerning. And I fear now Salem may know now that I have been letting you live here.” Li explained.

“Crap… this isn’t good.” Nora sighed, pinching her brow.

“What do we do? Do we run?” Ruby asked.

“Run? Never. The Summit’s Claim has survived armies long before Salem, we can survive them again.” Li explained.

“Sure, but this is Salem. She’s more powerful than anything we have faced before.” Yang added.

“Yes… but this is also our home. And that is not something I am willing to give up any time soon. We have walls, we have the mountain and the snow to slow them down, we have the Altum Eagles and most of the people here have been trained in all manners of combat. We all knew the day would eventually come when Salem would figure out our location. We have been preparing for it… so let her come and try and take this place from us.” Li stated, showing that the Fallen Angel he once was, remained to still be alive inside of him.

Determined and fearless right up until he drew his final breath, and he was not going to fall until he was good and ready.

Oscar also came through the door as well with Vicky – the Golden Retriever – and he sat down at the desk, Cinder sat upright and looked at him. “How is Vernal? Will she be okay?” Cinder nervously asked.

“Yeah, the poison is being taken care of. Luckily, these guys have some damn good medics. But she’s gonna be out of action for a while.” Oscar explained.

“Can’t believe how easily that son of a bitch managed to sneak up on us.” Cinder sighed.

“You of all people should remember how dangerous he is, and just how good he is at ambushing.” Ruby stated.

“Yeah… I guess…” Cinder agreed as she massaged her wrists.

“How are you all? Looks like it was a hard journey.” Li inquired.

“Well… our home was destroyed by Adam Taurus and that winged shit-head, Icarus. And my Airship got destroyed by the fricking Gyrfalcon and my best friend is currently in a bad way. So… yeah… it’s been kinda rough.” Cinder said, before she sighed. “Sorry…”

“No apologies required, ma’am. I can promise you that you all have a place here. From the Branwen Tribe, I remember that you, Oscar and Vernal were some of the good ones.” He then turned to Amber and he smiled. “But you? I oughta keep my eye on you.” He joked, gesturing to his blindfold. Amber giggled. “I am glad to see you did manage to get her back from Lavinia.”

“As am I…”  Cinder softly said, holding her close. Ruby smiled, she always knew Cinder cared for the kid… but she was totally different now. Like a mother… it was strange but in a really nice way.

The door opened once more. “No sign of that Airship, sir.” Penny said.

“Penny, how many times must I say it? You can call me by my name.” He chuckled.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” Penny sweetly said.

“You needn’t apologise, my dear.” He assured.

“Okay… I’m sorry… oh… ha-ha…” She giggled shyly which made Li shake his head and chuckle. Penny turned and her eyes widened when she saw Weiss stand up with total disbelief in her eyes. Pyrrha looked at Penny as well, surprised to see her. The last time they met, she was hacked and disappeared – seeing her back and being herself again was quite the surprise.

“Penny?” Weiss gasped, she immediately stormed towards her and grabbed her with a warm hug. Blake followed and did the same. Pyrrha however did not stand, she just remained sat down. “You’re okay! Y-You’re okay…” Weiss stammered in awe as she looked at her, and Penny smiled so happily.

“And so are you… I thought… we all thought…” Penny sounded like she was gonna cry, but then she paused and stared directly at Pyrrha.

They’re all staring at me again…

It was difficult to describe what Penny’s expression looked like, part of it looked like the same awe she had when she saw Weiss and Blake again… but at the same time… she looked scared. She had not forgotten what happened back at Amity, how it felt to be ripped apart by Pyrrha Nikos. And the two had never really spoken about it, since the last time they saw each other, was when Penny was hacked by Watts.

This was the first time they had spoken since that day.

“Pyrrha?” Penny gasped, and Pyrrha just continued to stare down at her tea, inhaling and gritting her teeth slightly. Darkness watched her from the shadows, his arms behind his back like always. Ruby approached Pyrrha and gently touched her shoulder.

“Hey… are you okay?” Ruby softly asked, but Pyrrha pulled her shoulder away from her. “Pyrrha… are you alright?” Ruby asked once more, then Pyrrha finally spoke. But it started with a harsh scoff.

“Oh… I’m doing perfect Ruby, haven’t felt better.” Pyrrha then glared directly at her Silver Eyes. Ruby backed up slightly. “Do you seriously think… I have forgotten… what happened back in Atlas? Have you forgotten what you did to us all? You think we can all go back to the way things were?” Pyrrha questioned with seething anger in her voice. Ruby nodded her head and lowered it.

“You’re still angry with me…” Ruby said, that seemed to send Pyrrha over the edge, even though Ruby did not mean it in any sort of patronizing way.

“It may have been six years for you Ruby! It may have been six years for all of you! But for me it has only been a few fucking days!” She roared, they all jolted when they heard Pyrrha Nikos of all people swear. Pyrrha was shaking with anger as she stared her down. “I still remember that day so well when Salem showed up. I was ready to give her everything I had, to prove that I was a Huntress… until she wiped our faces with a single blast of the Relic of Destruction. I have never felt so helpless…”

“Pyrrha… I…”

“And we needed you… Ruby… we needed you and your special silver eyes, just as you saved us the first time. But of course… now? I mean that in the past tense because you chose revenge over the people who cared for you. Over people who admitted their mistakes and came to your aid. So… yeah… sorry Ruby, but it’s too late.” Pyrrha shrugged, and Ruby could not even find the words, she looked at Weiss and Blake and she could see the expressions there as well.

They hadn’t forgotten either, however they were not exploding like Pyrrha was. And it was clear… Weiss, Blake and Cinder? This explosion had been building for a while now, all that bottling up her emotion was turning her into a Molotov Cocktail. Pyrrha sniffled, clenching her hand into a fist. “You know what I need?” Her voice was trembling with the anger in her. She suddenly punched her tea so hard that the mug shattered instantly, and the scolding hot tea covered her tea. If not for her aura it would have left burns, but she did not even notice it as she got up. “I need a goddamn drink, not this tea.” She growled.

Ruby stepped forward to try and comfort her but Pyrrha just walked towards the door, but she stopped. “I-It’s funny because I remember, when we were still at the Academy, we were given the chance to avoid all of this from happening. We could have all signed the damn Vytal Consensus and nobody would have died. Whether it impacted our precious freedom or not, it would have saved lives!”

“Well, that didn’t work out, did it?” Ruby calmly said.

“No. It didn’t. Because you wanted to kill Jackdaw, and then you wanted to kill Qrow and Raven and Valravn.” Pyrrha stated, tears welled up in her eyes as she stared directly at Ruby. “And now? How many people are dead because you chose revenge over your family? Jaune’s gone… I died and was forced back to live in this hellish world. So yeah, forgive me for maybe seeming to be out of character right now, but I have got nothing for you Ruby! I’ve got no plans, no strategies or options against Salem. And for you specifically? No trust… not for you.” She snarled, it cut deep – but Ruby couldn’t blame her for her rage.

She still did not agree on the Vytal Consensus… but the Atlesian Wildlands? That was different… that was no disagreement… and Pyrrha did sadly say it plain.

Pyrrha then reached down into her jacket and pulled out Jaune’s broken remains of Crocea Mors and shoved it to her chest, forcing her to hold the destroyed weapon of her dead friend. “Here. Take a good long look at it Ruby. Ask yourself if he would have done any differently.” She coldly said, before turning to the door and swinging it open, walking out and slamming it shut behind her.

Ruby stood there, gazing down at the burned snapped sword in her hand and she squeezed her eyes shut with grief. Yang walked over to her and gently hugged her, whilst Weiss and Blake stayed sat down. Taiyang walked inside after hearing the argument. “What happened?” He asked nervously.

Ruby just showed him Crocea Mors.

Taiyang just sighed and he hugged her as well.

 

A few hours passed…

And Ruby walked outside to find Pyrrha, just to talk to her now she had some time alone. “Pyrrha?” She called out, still holding Crocea Mors’ remains in her hand. But nobody responded, but she could hear something else.

“Gods… how are we gonna fix this?” The voice of Sashaa yelled with distress. Ruby ran to where she heard their friend, to find her trying to mend the front gates. They were… smashed open… but from the inside.

“What happened?” Ruby asked.

“That redhead! She just swung the doors open with some sort of power, broke the hinges so bad one of the doors fell off.” Sashaa answered, Ruby’s eyes widened, the snow had covered her tracks.

“Where did she go?” Ruby asked.

“I dunno, I didn’t stop and ask her.” Sashaa answered, Ruby pushed her hands through her hair.

“Shit… I’ve gotta find her. I owe her that much.” Ruby said, turning to see Penny running over to her.

“What’s going on?” Ruby’s girlfriend nervously asked.

“Pyrrha… she’s gone. I don’t know where though…” But then Ruby started to think on it and her eyes widened. “Wait… the old town… the one we found them in. She said she needed a drink… there is an old bar there that still has some liquor there. She must be going there…” Ruby explained.

“Why not just leave her to it? She clearly doesn’t want to see you… and besides… she’s not that gentle gal you remember.” Cinder’s voice appeared, the two of them turned and saw Cinder leant against one of the houses. Most likely heard the commotion and had to see what was going on.

“That’s why I have to find her. I do not know what happened or how she is alive, but something is very wrong. Pyrrha never spoke to people like that, even when she was pissed off, I have never seen her like that. And… I have things to atone for… even if she doesn’t wanna hear it.” Ruby explained as she walked towards the doors with Penny. Cinder sighed, and reluctantly pushed herself off the wall.

“Then I’m coming with you.” Cinder said, Ruby stopped and looked at her. Cinder just looked at her and then she sighed.

“Okay… let’s get moving. We can’t be too far behind her.” Ruby said, and the three of them walked through the broken gates to the Mountain Path to find Pyrrha.

She needed help… before she spiralled into a dark pit she could not climb out of.

 

 

Chapter 13: No Chances Anymore

Chapter Text

Terra

 

The Argus Police Department… it was a large building with many men and women from all walks of life working there. All trying to keep the peace in the city. She sat at her desk, looking over her most recent job, tracking down an utter maniac. The Tattooist, as he was nicknamed. A monster, through and through, she could still see the horrific bodies that he left in his wake.

The bodies on the photographs taken that night remained hung up on the large map of the city, showing how she managed to deduce the pattern of the location, and the approximate area of where he would attack his next victim. Leaving the same tattoo on their ripped-up bodies. Terra was cheered as a hero here at the Police Department and was even given a medal for her actions in bringing the monster that was responsible for so many deaths to justice.

Yet… she never enjoyed the heroism she was labelled with. I just wish I could have done something faster… otherwise less people would have died such horrible deaths.

“Hey, Terra?” His voice surprised her, and she looked over her computer, seeing the Chief of Police stood there, knocking on the door. “How are you feeling?”

“Hey, Chief… I’m good.” Terra lied.

“Terra, you have been working for me for nearly ten years now… I know when something is on your mind.” He said as he closed the door behind him and pulled out one of the stools, sitting upon it.

Terra raised a brow. “Oh yeah? How can you tell?”

“Because you ruin every single pen you have by gnawing on it like a feral Grimm.” He chuckled, Terra raised her finger, ready to retort, until she noticed her pen on the table, chewed to pieces. She quickly pushed it aside and rested her arms on the table.

“I have no idea what you’re talking about.” She beamed, making the Chief laugh. But the Chief was not buying it.

“But really, Terra. What’s up?” He asked her, Terra sighed, and she closed her laptop. “Is it about the Tattooist Case? Those bodies were… something horrifying.”

“No… I have seen enough scary shit in my life for these cases to have little effect anymore. And besides… knowing that he is now behind bars… it makes it a little easier.” She sighed, massaging her brow.

“Then why do you look like you’ve had little to no sleep?” He asked her.

I can’t tell him. We may be friends, really good ones now, but I will not risk his safety. I mean how would I even bring it up?

“Hey, Chief, I’m actually working with some Rogue Huntresses to bring down my Foster Brother and Salem by digging into some dark secrets in the world! And I’m terrified that my wife and son could get caught in the crossfire, but I have to do it for Saph’s Brother? No wonder I can’t sleep!”

No… I can’t… otherwise he could get linked to us as well, and I do not want anyone to get hurt on my account.

His daughter just turned thirteen… I can’t risk him and his family.

I won’t.

Terra quickly forged a lie, exhaling and rubbing her eyes. “I dunno… I might just have to go get checked out at the Doctor’s. Been feeling kinda off for a…” She paused when she felt her Scroll Vibrate, and she pulled it from her pocket. The Hardlight Screen formed, and she stared down at it with sadness in her eyes, and tears welled up.

“Terra?” He asked her.

SAPH: She’s gone, honey… she died in her sleep…

“I… I have to go…” She said as she stood up from her desk and approached the door.

“Terra?”

She stopped and turned to him. “My mom… she’s gone…”

 

A few hours later…

Terra arrived at the Morgue at Argus, with Saphron beside her. Adrien was still at school, and it was lingering in their mind that they were gonna have to break this painful news to him. That his Grandma had just passed away. Sadly, he hardly knew her since she was already in a Vegetative State after the Grimm Attack in Vale ten years ago. But he still met her and loved her despite never hearing her voice.

They covered up her body with the sheet, and Saphron gently touched her wife’s shoulder. “Are you okay?” She asked, and she sighed.

“It’s… strange…”

“What do you mean?”

“I’ve been looking at dead bodies for over ten years… most of them in states so much worse than Mom’s. Butchered by the cruellest men and women to ever walk Remnant. Yet… seeing her on that table… knowing that… she really is gone now.” Terra paused, closing her eyes. “I dunno how to feel.”

Terra paced back and forth. “Sad? That she’s gone, and she never recovered? Or maybe… relieved? Because now she can finally rest…” Terra explained. Saphron approached her and smiled, caressing her cheek. She then kissed Terra affectionately on the lips, pressing her head to hers.

“I’mma go get us a coffee, okay? I’ll be right back.” She assured, Terra turned back to the wall and stared at the body of her mother. She could recognise the sound of his footsteps from anyway as he drew closer and closer. Her eyes narrowed as he stood beside her.

“I just heard…” Killian said as he stood there with his arms behind his back. Terra did not even look at him.

“I can smell the booze on you.” She scoffed, Killian glanced at her and he sighed. He looked ill, worse than he ever looked before. His veins around his chest looked like they were discoloured, darker than usual. His Grave Dust Arm was concealed inside of a cybernetic sleeve, perhaps to hide the truth behind what he had become.

“I know what you think of me. But I’m not here to argue… I just wanna see her.” Killian stated. “I just wish I could have done something… if I had just been there that day… she’d be alive.”

“There are some things even you cannot control.” Terra snarled, keeping her arms crossed and glaring into the room with her mother’s body in it. Killian looked at her.

“I did what I had to do, sister.” Killian said, she chuckled and glared at him.

“Don’t call me that. I know what you did, I may not have any proof, but I know. Your Black Gallows Forces just happened to be at all the Academies across the world during Salem’s Assault? Alongside the Foundations of Sovereignty when my brother-in-law and all his friends slaughtered the Councillors? I know you had a hand in it…” Terra growled, and he glared right back.

“Terra…”

“I don’t know if you have been working for Salem the whole time… but you definitely helped her slaughter the ones who remain. You helped her kill Jaune… and Pyrrha… and so many others. You are no brother of mine; I would never have a true brother who would kill so many good people for his own survival… or ambitions. Don’t think I forgot about your hatred for the Academies either. For a time… I thought you had a point. But now? No… and I’m gonna tell you the same thing I said the last time you spoke to me. Don’t ever come back, and never come near my family ever again.”

Killian’s eye twitched, something she noticed, and it struck her as odd. It was like he was a completely different person now, with completely different ticks. Killian looked at her then looked past her, seeing Saphron stood down the hallway with a hateful glare as she held the two coffee cups in his hands. He turned and walked away from her. Terra looked at her wife and walked towards her.

“Terra…”

She stopped.

“Be careful with this path you’re treading on. If you dig too deep into this rabbit hole… there is no guarantee that I can pull you out.” He warned with his fists clenched. She could not see his face, but his eye was twitching more and more… and he was looking… concerning. Not completely insane but teetering over the edge.

He was falling apart.

And losing his mother?

And his Sister now despising his existence was simply sending him deeper and deeper into that hole.

And soon…

… he was going to snap.

 

Robyn

 

Surprisingly, it did not take them exceptionally long to discern the location of the Mistraalian Lab that belonged to Arthur Watts.

The files were out there on the web, countless people went exploring on silly adventures into abandoned locations would encounter the facility. The hardest bit was simply getting there since it was out in the deepest parts of Mistraalian Wildlands. Dodging Grimm Beasts left and right and making sure that there were no Black Gallows Drones in the area either. But luckily, the Happy Huntresses found it together.

Robyn pulled her hood back as she gazed forward at the small Building, claimed by time. Shrouded in vegetation and infested with rust. May stood beside her, grasping onto her Staff tightly. “Well… looks like we found it.” She spoke.

“Yeah, keep your eyes open. That bastard is smart, wouldn’t doubt the chances of there being some booby traps in here.” Robyn proceeded forward, keeping her Crossbow attached to her arm at the ready. Eyes peeled and ears listening to every sound. Joanna walked forward as they approached the already open doors.

“Those kids explored most of this building… but they didn’t find anything big. Otherwise, it would have been in their videos.” Joanna stated.

“Unless the Black Gallows caught them and edited the footage a bit to make it look like nothing more than a boring old building.” Robyn stated.

“Why would they bother?” Joanna asked.

“It’s something I learned from Killian back when I was Veronica. They used to snatch up all sorts of kids who were exploring in places that they shouldn’t. They’d either scare them so bad they’d never do it again or wipe their memories of that day. But they also don’t want to raise suspicions… so uploading a video onto the net for them? One that specifically shows only footage of some old stuff left behind? Nothing incriminating? It would definitely stop people going there with the soul intention of becoming famous for uncovering a crazy mystery, right?” Robyn clarified, Fiona nodded her head as she walked in first, holding up her flashlight.

“Makes sense, I guess.” She agreed.

“What concerns me the most is how the Gallows even figured out these kinds of kids and explorers managed to grab them in the first place.” May pointed out.

“Well… there must be some sort of security system still operating here. But… when we saw those videos? I doubt they kept quiet about where they were going, probably started posting it all over social media before they left. The Black Gallows were probably just sitting there waiting for them to turn up.” Robyn stated. “Like I said… I learned a lot about their methods from Killian.”

May crouched down to the old mouldy boxes on the floor, carefully turning them. A mouse squeaked and bolted past her, she jolted, expecting it to be either a Grimm or a Trap. “Stupid mouse…” She sighed. Fiona giggled, which made her raise an eyebrow. “Watch it, you.”

Fiona just giggled again as she quickly bounced around, moving towards one of the rooms, she and Joanna walked inside first. There was nothing out of the ordinary here either. All seemed to be awfully familiar to what they saw from that video on the internet, actually. “I can’t be the only one who has a bad feeling here, right?” Joanna asked. “Everything is exactly the same as it was in those videos. Like this has been staged.”

“Probably has been, to lure us off the scent. Watts has something hiding here, I know it. The question is more where is he hiding it?” Robyn muttered, checking underneath the Receptionist Desk.

A growling sound caught their attention, causing them to spin around and draw their weapons. “Something is inside… be ready.” Robyn whispered, they continued to keep their nerves sharp. May walked carefully around the corner, aiming her long Crossbow Staff down the hallway. There were many rooms… the thing that creeped them out in the video, and again now, was the fact this place looked like a hospital. She checked one of the rooms, finding nothing inside, apart from a bunch of old files. She set her Staff down on the table and picked up one of the old file records. She wiped the dust and grime off the laminated paper and shone her flashlight on it.

 

Patient No: 1256

Name: Amanda Hawkins

Injury: Torn off arm, after an attack by an Ursa Major, alongside broken ribs and a punctured lung

Operation Plan: Run by Doctor Arthur Watts from Atlas, testing a brand-new Medical Device known as _______, he has claimed it will help us stabilise the patient a lot faster. Perhaps even construct brand new ribs for her and even forge a new arm from it as well. He said that it is still in the experimental phase, so she will have to sign a consent form. She has signed it, she did it yesterday… I must say though… this guy is making me on edge.

Something is very, very sinister about him.

I am going to call Professor Polendina, hopefully he can ease my concerns. Maybe this is just the way he acts… and does not have more sinister reasons for coming here.

This was going to be a simple operation. It’s exceedingly rare that Atlesians send one of their best to work on some of our patients. We’re just a Local Hospital… I don’t get it.

Professor Harper

 

“Gods… I think we know what that stuff was. It’s the Grave Dust.” May muttered to herself. “Hey, Robyn?” She called out, unaware of the creature bolting through the bushes outside, snarling again. Robyn poked her head up from the desk, curiously.

“What’s up?” She asked her, and May walked over with that File, slapping it down onto the counter.

“This file… I think he was testing the Early Stages of the Grave Dust here. On innocent patients. The doctors trusted him because he was one of Atlas’ finest minds… they had no idea.” May explained, it made Fiona shudder.

“To think that shit was initially meant to help people.” Robyn sighed.

“Didn’t you say that Killian first met Watts during this whole event? When he was younger?” May asked.

“Yeah, the day that Watts vanished off the face of Remnant. But that was up in Atlas, near the Atlesian Wildlands. Not here in Anima… this must have been earlier… and the fact that nobody knew about this one is… concerning.” Robyn explained.

“Well, if he tested it on patients, surely the next place to look would be the Operating Theatre, right?” Fiona inquired. Robyn nodded her head.

“Yeah, it’s gotta be further in this place. Let’s keep looking.” She then looked up at the broken roof, seeing the dust fall down before their eyes. “And remember… something is hunting us. Be ready for anything…”

“Oh, we’re ready.” Joanna assured as she popped her neck. Robyn turned the corner, shining her light down it, carefully walking forward as they heard the growling sounds echoing through the rafters. Down the hallway, they saw the vent system start to rattle violently.

“Looks like whatever this thing is coming to join the party!” Robyn called out, and it the vents collapsed in front of them, revealing the Creature. It roared at them viciously, with long clawed arms and shorter legs, it could easily sprint towards them and climb on the walls with the claws. But the thing that shocked them was its completely armoured head, like a Hound or a Creep, however this one created a clicking sound, like echolocation. It was blind but could probably hear their heartbeats with how heightened its other senses were. It viciously snarled before roaring savagely at them.

“Venator!” May called out, it suddenly shot forward, sprinting with shockingly impressive speed, bouncing off the walls before spitting acidic blood from its mouth. Robyn rolled aside and fired her Crossbow at the monster. It dodged it and climbed back up into the ceiling. They could hear it sprinting through, causing parts of the panels to break and fall in front of them.

Until its arms suddenly burst through and grappled onto Fiona, lifting her up. Joanna wrapped her muscular arms around the smaller Huntress, the Venator roared viciously as it tried to pull her away. “Shoot it! I can’t get my Staff!” She yelled, reaching down for the staff as hard as she could. May swiftly fired her Crossbow upwards and nailed the Venator in the fleshy part of its chest. It squawked, releasing her and bolted back into the vents.

Joanna carefully set Fiona down. “Are you okay?” She nervously asked her friend.

“Yeah… ugly bastard nearly got me though.” Fiona dusted herself off, before the monster erupted through the wall behind them and grabbed the table, lifting it up like a shield.

“It’s not done with us yet!” Robyn yelled; Joanna fired one of the bolts from her Crossbow, but it just hit the table instead. The Venator screeched, and launched the table towards them, knocking Joanna directly off her feet. The Venator snarled before rushing forward again, Robyn punched down the button on her Crossbow, firing multiple Bolts towards the beat. But it dodged them all and leapt directly at her with a feral roar, grabbing her by the throat and smashing her down against the ground repeatedly. It then lifted her up and smashed her against the wall.

It stared straight into her eyes with a savage growl, drooling saliva from its needly teeth. Robyn kicked it in the chest but the Venator just pushed her back against the wall and went to bite down onto her throat, until Joanna roared and grabbed it by the shoulder, and she threw it down the hallway. It crashed into one of the old gurneys and barked from the impact, it pushed itself back up and hissed, staring them down.

“My invisibility won’t do a thing to confuse this bastard, it’s blindness means it can easily hear every move we make.” May stated.

“Don’t worry, we just gotta get a good hit on it. It may be fast, but it can’t withstand long drawn-out fights… that’s why the bastard keeps fleeing.” Robyn explained as she kept her Crossbow aimed at it. Just as she predicted, the monster bolted back through the building, most likely aiming to surprise them once again. The Four Huntresses stood back-to-back, ready to counter its next move.

“Stay sharp… ugly blind shitbag could burst out of anywhere at any MOMENT!” May grunted as the Venator dropped down right in front of her and swung both its arms into her chest, which threw her against the wall. The Venator’s clicking was constant, and it slashed its claws up Joanna’s chest as she went to strike the beast across the head with the Staff. Joanna smashed against the wall with old photographs of the staff and the Venator rushed her once more and grabbed her by the throat, smashing her against the wall. Joanna slammed her arms down onto the forearm of the creature, and then Fiona jumped onto its back and pulled her staff up into its throat, forcing it away from her.

It flailed around aimlessly, unable to locate her, its long-curved claws slashed through the walls like searing hot knives through butter. May fired her Crossbow into its abdomen then Fiona jumped off its back, pushing it towards Joanna who wound up one hell of a punch. The impact threw the beast down the hallway and it tumbled across the floor. It dug its claws into the ground and roared at them again, until Robyn aimed her Crossbow at it.

“Shut up you ugly bastard!” She yelled, firing a High Explosive Arrow right down its gullet. The entire creature burst like a fiery balloon, thick black blood splattered all over the walls and she lowered the Crossbow.

“I… haaaaate… those things.” Fiona groaned.

“Well, hey… just remember… there’s probably thousand more out there.” Robyn winked.

May sighed. “You really gotta work on your inspiring speeches, Robyn.” They followed Robyn away from the dead Venator, and they approached the next set of doors. Joanna forced them open, breaking the locks in the process with her strength. She nodded to them when she checked to see if it was clear, and Robyn went inside first whilst the others followed. May kept her eyes on their rear, making sure that nothing… and no one… was following them.

That feeling was still there, though.

Like someone else was here.

“Look! Operating Theatre.” Fiona called out, Robyn smiled and patted her on the back.

“Good eyes, Fi.” Fiona beamed up at Robyn. She approached the room and they walked inside, finding the empty operating table inside. There was not much in here though. Apart from some old stains, there was no sign of an operation happening here. No tools, no E.K.G, nothing.

“There’s gotta be something here.” Joanna sighed, May turned when she sensed something, narrowing her eyes. She approached the carpet and crouched down whilst they spoke, closing her eyes and pressing the palm of her hand against the floor. Her eyes widened…

Vibrations…

“Guys… there’s power here. I can feel it in the floor.” May revealed.

“Huh? That’s impossible, this place has been abandoned for years.” Robyn replied.

“I’m telling you, Hill… there’s something underneath us. Something that still has power…” She spoke. “This area of the floor is warm, even.” Joanna approached and crouched down, grabbing the edge of the carpet and ripping it backwards. It revealed something – a Trap Door.

“Well hell… that’s not something you expect to see in a hospital.” Fiona softly said.

“Let’s get that thing open.” Robyn said to them, and she crouched down with Joanna and they both forced it open as hard as they could. However, it was locked, so Robyn just sighed and stepped back. “I’d stand back if I were you.” She said, loading up one of her Explosive Arrows.

“Oh crap.” May jolted, swiftly moving aside. Once they were all stood aside, she fired, and the explosion caused the entire room to rattle, including the windows. When the smoke cleared… it was still there.

“Oh, for crying out loud.” Fiona groaned.

“That’s one tough lid.” Joanna nodded her head.

“That’s because it’s Top Military Grade Security.” A familiar voice spoke, they all spun around and aimed their Crossbows. Robyn’s eyes widened.

“D-Dutch?” She gasped.

“In the flesh.” He admitted, taking off that familiar X-Shaped Helmet.

“What’re you doing here?” May challenged, they all trusted him but knew he still worked with the Black Gallows.

“Don’t worry I’m alone. Hell, the only reason you four haven’t been grabbed yet is thanks to me, I’ve been faking some readings on the scanners left here for intruders. I convinced Killian to let me and a small team fix the issue.” He quoted.

“Uh… where’s the team, then?” Fiona asked curiously.

“Still asleep after I spiked their drinks last night with some sleeping tablets. They’ll probably be having genuinely nice dreams for a few more hours.” He shrugged his shoulders. They lowered their weapons, end of the day he looked after them for six years when he didn’t need to. He had no reason to betray them now. “The only way into that Door is with an access code… luckily… I’m fairly good at Decrypting.” He said as he whipped out his scroll.

He crouched down wit his Scroll and the screen came up, bringing up the encryption Watts had put in there. “Hmm… not bad Watts… but I don’t scare easy.” He said as he started to fight through the software. Robyn crouched down next to him, looking at him with a small smile.

“It’s good to see you, Dutch.” She softly said to him, he smiled as he continued to wither Watts’ defences.

“I might have had some time to think about what you said… about looking the other way?” He said, and she smiled. “I don’t know about Killian… about killing him yet. I still hope that there’s still a chance for him… but… I dunno anymore. He’s hardly the man I used to know… and… well… his Foster Mom passed away today. He looks like he’s losing it… drinking more and more every day… and I don’t think he sleeps anymore.” Dutch explained, he paused and looked at her. “But you’re right… I can’t keep sitting on my ass and hoping things will change without doing things I would rather not.” He explained.

“I’m sorry.”

“Don’t be.”

“No… as in… for what he has become. I hoped he would change too, once.”

“I know… but Salem has her claws in him. Watts too… I want to make them pay for what they forced him to become.”

Robyn smiled, happy to see him again. His scroll flashed green and beeped joyously, and the Trap Door slid open. “Nice!” Fiona squeaked with joy, and Robyn stood up and walked down inside. Dutch raised his Assault Rifle as he walked beside her, Soldier and Huntress side by side. He lowered it with wide eyes from what they found.

“By the gods…” Dutch gasped.

There were skeletons… everywhere. And a dead body as well on the table, also reduced to bones. Everyone else had holes through their ribcages, like they had been shot or something like that… but the one laid on the table? The bones had been eroded slightly… ground down… it was terrifying because they could not identify what did this kind of damage.

“The hell happened here?” May gasped as they looked around, Dutch turned his head when he saw a Terminal that was still online. The holographic screen was flickering on and off. He looked at the screen and tried to get it working, but it kept turning on and off again. He crouched down and found that it had been shot multiple times.

“Shit… someone has badly damaged it.” He spoke.

“Can you fix it?” Robyn asked him.

“I can at least see if we can get something onto our scrolls.” He said as he fiddled around to try and find the hard drives. Joanna approached him and crouched down.

“Look, we trust you… but we need to know. Did you hear anything about this? Anything at all?” She asked him.

“No, this is all new to me. I read every single file on the Grave Dust Case; I knew about him being involved in this Hospital… but I didn’t know about this. And I have read some really disturbing cases over the years… ones I wish I hadn’t. But… no… I haven’t seen anything like this. So, either Killian chose to hide this one… or even the Black Gallows didn’t know about it until later. And chose to keep it hidden.” Dutch explained.

“Well… honestly? I think it’s the latter. Everything came up with lab when we learned of this place, but the closest thing to a lab was the Operating Theatre he worked in. That must have been what people were talking about… and none of them knew that this horror was right beneath their feet.” Robyn explained, it shook her up just thinking about all those explorers who came here, completely unaware that they were stood atop a mass grave.

“There you are… Hard Drive… still intact.” He said as he lifted it up.

“If the Black Gallows knew… why did they never take the Hard Drives?” Fiona asked.

“I don’t think they managed to break his encryption. It wouldn’t have reset; it would have already been unlocked. They must have decided to just cover it up, not find out what was down here.” Dutch explained. “I worked with Pietro Polendina to create this Decryptor. Black Gallows never had anything like this… and still doesn’t.” He said to them with a little smile.

“Nice move.” May chuckled.

He respectfully walked around the skeletons and set the hard drive on the table, connecting it to his scroll. He flicked through the files, finding file after file… until he found the Camera Footage of what happened here. Fiona curiously turned and saw that the Cameras were shot as well.

“Someone was definitely here.” She spoke.

“I think we have a pretty good idea of who that might be.” Joanna stated.

The footage was brought up, last few minutes, it showed the Patient on the table. May’s eyes widened. “That’s her… the patient file… her arm’s missing, her cracked ribs and punctured lung. Miss Hawkins.” She remembered.

There were many people there, including a young man with a clean-shaven face, and quite the sinister look. Dark hair on his head and wearing a dark jacket. “Watts… this was a while ago. Look how young he is.” Robyn said, they continued to watch the footage. There was no audio, most likely lost from the damage done to the recording system.

They watched as he stood there and set his purple bag with golden accents on it down on the table, and he revealed the Grave Dust Cannister. Everyone looked concerned, including the patient who stared at the cloud of swirling black dust inside of it. He put on his rings and they could immediately see the Grave Dust respond to his commands. Even then it was like an organism how it moved, following his hands. He opened the cannister and the dust levitated from its glass enclosure, floating over the woman. She shook fearfully as it descended down towards her bandaged-up arm.

Some of it entered the wound, and it festered in the wound, sealing it up as Watts said it would. They watched as the Surgeons looked in awe as the wound was completely stabilized. The X-Rays even showed the Dust forging new replacement ribs and sealing her lung more effectively than their more primitive methods, such as the Medical Foam. “It worked…” Fiona said with genuine astoundment in her voice. But that was when it changed, they saw the look in Watts’ eyes change, and he smirked cruelly, clenching his hand into a fist.

Suddenly the Grave Dust turned aggressive, and they saw the woman start to scream in immense pain as she shook and started to spasm, and the dust started to rip her apart from the inside. The Surgeons panicked, knowing Watts was behind it, and one of them grabbed a Scalpel and rushed towards him. He glared at him and the rest of the Dust that floated in the air blasted directly at the man, carving a hole straight through his sternum in one strike. He continued to do the same to everyone else in there, killing them all.

Every…

… single…

… one.

They were all shocked at what they saw, left gobsmacked. Watts stood around them, the woman was dead on the table, blood leaking from every orifice, and the rest of his Grave Dust left her corpse through her mouth. It swirled around his hand as he smiled, walking away from their corpses, he stopped as he saw the camera. He drew his Revolver and pointed it at the camera, firing it, and presumably was the one who shot the terminal.

“By the gods… we came here looking for something about the Black Queen Virus… but instead we found this.” Robyn said with wide eyes.

“Can we use this?” Fiona asked.

“We could but it would have little weight in what we want. We need the Black Queen Virus, proof that he made it and Killian worked with him. What we need is real proof of what went down in there. All the footage was corrupted by that Virus, but surely there is still some original footage left somewhere, right?” Robyn asked, looking at Dutch.

“Perhaps…” He spoke.

“What if we go to Pietro? He’s in Vale right now, isn’t he? We could ask him to help us out. He could help us hack into the Virus itself, find the original footage.” Robyn suggested.

“That’s all well and good but for him to do that we actually need something that has been hacked by the Black Queen Virus. Or has been, and maybe still has remnants of it still in it.” Dutch explained. Then Dutch’s eyes widened.

“What? What is it?” May asked him.

“He mentioned something when I was there…” He mumbled as he tried to remember. “That’s right! He was still searching for his daughter, Penny!”

“She was hacked by it six years ago, wasn’t she?” Fiona asked.

“Exactly, he said that the Virus was making it hard for him to track her and he wanted to get the thing out of her head. To save her from it… he said he got a spike here in Mistral, in Kuchinashi a few months back. There was a fight there, I didn’t see it myself, but it must have been her. Maybe even…”

“What? Maybe even what?” Joanna asked.

“Oh, it’s all making sense now…” Dutch gasped.

“Oh gods, enough with the beautiful mind shit, the hell are you talking about?” Robyn questioned.

“Recently, and I mean recently, like a day or two ago now… Cinder Fall was revealed to be harbouring someone we never expected to be alive… Pyrrha Nikos.” He revealed to them, the Huntress’ eyes widened.

“What?” May gasped.

“I know… I don’t know the details… I don’t think even Salem knows. But Adam Taurus attacked them despite Salem commanding him not to, and they escaped. Watts, Hazel and Tyrian nearly had them when they were saved by Ruby Rose in the Atlesian Mountains…” He explained. “A few days before that, Ruby Rose, Yang Xiao Long and a few others were spotted in Argus, and Penny Polendina was with them. They were saving her from the city, and from being captured by the Black Gallows. If Penny is anywhere right now, it is where Ruby is.”

“And… where is she?”

“The Summit’s Claim.” He revealed. “If there is some way to find the real footage of what happened at the Foundations of Sovereignty… the key to it is through the virus that Penny Polendina is still connected to.” He explained, Robyn smirked and nodded her head.

“Sounds like a damn good plan to me.” Robyn said.

“You guys better get moving, Salem knows where they are now too. I need to get back to my team before they realise something is up. I’ll find you again whenever I can.” He promised.

“Stay safe, Dutch.” Robyn requested, he picked his helmet up and smirked.

“I’m always safe, Robyn… you should know that.” He said as he put the X-Shaped Helmet on his head, which transformed into a normal Stockholm Trooper Helmet, and he left them, giving them time to get away.

“Looks like we’re heading up to the Summit’s Claim… let’s just hope that we’re not too late.”

 

Ruby

 

The Mountain Pass was always the same, previous tracks swallowed by the snow, and the wind howled against their cheeks with such a frostbitten touch. Ruby’s black and red cape blew in the wind as she walked with Penny beside her, and Cinder followed her. Ruby turned to her girlfriend, noticing her expression.

“Hey… you okay?” She asked her, Penny glanced at Ruby and quickly nodded.

“Y-Yeah… it’s just… I know that she didn’t mean to do it… but I still remember it…” Penny stammered, touching the old sewn up scars around her body where she was put back together. Ruby’s hand gently held hers, and she smiled adoringly.

“I’m here… okay?” She assured, and Penny smiled, resting her head on Ruby’s shoulder. Cinder glanced at them.

“How long’s that been going on for?” Cinder asked, they both looked at the Fall Maiden, the very one who tore them apart ten years ago… for four years they were divided. Penny looked away from Cinder, scared of her as well… perhaps more than Pyrrha. She was the one who Orchestrated that attack on Beacon in the first place, after all.

“A few years now…” Ruby answered, Penny walked ahead, and Cinder took note.

“I get it… she doesn’t trust me.” Cinder said.

“Can you blame her?” Ruby asked the Fall Maiden, that was something that Cinder found hard to argue with either. The two of them walked together. Ruby then looked at her. “What happened? To the Branwen Tribe?” She asked her, Cinder glanced at Ruby and she sighed. At the end of the day these two had some catching up to do, might as well do it now.

“Shay. Remember him?” Cinder answered.

“Yeah, the creepy asshole with the mullet, right?” Ruby inquired, which made Cinder chuckle.

“That’s right. Well… when Raven left and Valravn came after the two of you… he tried to take control. Started killing anyone who was still loyal to Raven instead if him… he tried to kill me, Oscar and Vernal… and Amber. I snapped… and I started to attack them all to kill him, the Tribe fractured. Some ran the rest fought against me… they left me no choice. I killed them all… I hope the ones who ran made it. But after I finished them all off… I saw Salem’s Army, and they ran right into it.” Cinder explained, Ruby closed her eyes with grief. “He and that friend of his, Flynt. They tried to get away with Raven’s Treasury, but I stopped them, and we killed them both. I used that Treasury to buy us some land to live a more… legal and peaceful life. And it was beautiful… until Pyrrha.” Cinder sighed.

“I’m sorry… but don’t blame her, okay?” Ruby asked. “The girl has been through enough.” Ruby explained.

“I don’t blame her… not really… but gods does she piss me off from time to time.” Cinder admitted.

“Something is off, this is nothing like Pyrrha. She was never like this.” Ruby stated.

“She died, lost the man she loved and believed that everyone she loved was dead… then was resurrected by the God of Darkness.” Cinder explained, Ruby’s eyes widened.

“Whoa, what?” Ruby asked.

“Eh… ask Oz.” She spoke.

“OZ?” Ruby questioned again.

“Ugh… Oscar… the Professor is in his head? I don’t get how it all works, okay? Just ask him…” Cinder explained, Ruby was left dumbfounded by that revelation, especially at how little information Cinder was able to give. But she shook it off and continued to follow the path, but as they walked, something hit Ruby.

“Wait, how did you know about Valravn capturing us?” Ruby asked the Fall Maiden.

“Well… Raven told me. She tracked me down and spoke to me, told me that this was going to be our last conversation. She told me about what went down in the Wildlands… the truth of what happened to your mom.” Cinder explained. “I’m sorry… by the way.”

“Thanks…” Ruby softly said, still thinking about that damn letter that Qrow left her.

“By the way… what… happened? To Raven? Qrow and Jackdaw? Valravn?” Cinder asked, the two of them stood at the edge of the curving cliff, gazing out at the landscape. Ruby looked at the Fall Maiden and she closed her eyes. Remembering it all so well…

“She found them all, my dad too… and they saved us. We didn’t stick around long but… a few weeks later we came back and found what was left of them.” Ruby explained. “They killed Valravn… but it looked like Jackdaw killed them and Qrow killed him too. They were all dead… we buried them nearby.” Ruby assured, and Cinder nodded her head. She cared a lot for Raven, she saved her life after all, and helped her become better.

“Good… they deserved to be buried.” Cinder said as she nodded her head.

“It was my dad’s idea. I guess even he could find some sort of forgiveness for them despite what they did to his wife… to our mom.” Ruby explained, she clenched her hands into a fist. “But if I saw either of them today, I’d kill them in a heartbeat.”

Cinder’s eye widened when she heard that. “That’s not the Ruby Rose I remember…”

Ruby stopped and looked back at her.

“I don’t take chances anymore.”

Cinder nodded her head in agreement. “And you shouldn’t.”

The two walked together with Penny, eventually arriving at the Abandoned Town where they fought Hazel and Tyrian. The sign that hung from the Bar squeaked as it swung back and forth. The door was swinging open as well, ever so slightly as the draft pushed against it. The roof creaked as the damaged wood hung above, some planks had fallen onto the other tables inside after their fight.

And sat at the bar… was Pyrrha.

She had a tumbler in front of her, filled with what looked like Scotch. Next to it was the full bottle, only recently opened. Ruby always kept her hands close to Black Thorn, but she knew Pyrrha wouldn’t hurt them, no matter how low she may be right now. “Pyrrha?” Ruby spoke up, and Pyrrha immediately answered.

“Who’s with you?” Pyrrha asked.

“Penny and Cinder.” Ruby answered.

Pyrrha scoffed. “Great… the girl I killed and the girl who tried to kill me.”

Ruby looked at the two of them and they stayed back whilst Ruby approached her, standing right beside her. She looked at the glass and then at Pyrrha. “How many of them have you had?” Ruby asked.

“Not enough…” She sighed. “Never did like the taste of alcohol… but right now… I don’t taste anything. So, who cares?”

Pyrrha drank the scotch fast and she hardly even reacted, before she filled it back up, staring at the glass. Cinder walked around the bar and she rested her hands on it, looking at her. “Let’s finish this back at the Claim, huh? It’s not safe out here.” She said, but Pyrrha just glared back at her with her tense emerald eyes.

Cinder did return the glare.

“She’s right. And believe me, I know how you feel right now, Pyrrha. You lost the man you loved… one of my best friends… I still think about him every day. About all the things I should have said, things I should have done differently. But that? That ain’t gonna help… just come back with us and we can talk with you about it, okay?” Ruby asked and Pyrrha continued to stare at the glass.

“We need you, Pyrrha.” Penny softly said as she leant against the bar as well.

“What can I do? I couldn’t protect Jaune… or Sun… or Neptune. I couldn’t save anyone. Everyone called me The Invincible Girl… the One Who Never Failed… but look at me. I ripped Penny apart… and I couldn’t even save the one person who saw me for who I really was. I started to believe that something like the Vytal Consensus could protect us… but that was a sham. A bait and switch.” Pyrrha explained, shaking her head with tears in her eyes. “I was a fool, Ruby… I see that now.”

“You believed there was a way out. One where people didn’t have to die. It’s not your fault you held out for hope, Pyrrha.” Ruby stated, which made her smile slightly, but Ruby knew that smile was not out of fondness.

“Hope.” She scoffed. “When I first met you and Jaune… I’ll admit I thought you were both just a pair of charming buffoons, but out there in the Emerald Forest I saw who you both truly were. Leaders, people who could inspire that hope to others… something I could never do. Until the Atlesian Wildlands… and I saw both of you lose hope. Jaune in the idea that our past choices could be forgiven and forgotten… and in you. Because I saw your innocence be stripped away – and that hero I saw was gone. And I still see it in your face now.” Pyrrha explained, and Ruby closed her eyes with regret.

The Atlesian Wildlands… the event there was going to scar this family forever.

“There is no hope for any of us… Salem has won. And there’s nothing we can do to stop her… not a damn thing.” Pyrrha softly said.

The three of them walked to the door and they softly spoke to each other. “I dunno if this is gonna work, Ruby… she is in a really rough place. I dunno if words are gonna cut it.” Cinder said.

“Then what do we do? Just wait until she passes out?” Penny asked.

“Just go.” Pyrrha answered, clearly hearing every word. “Just go!”

“We’re not leaving you here, Pyrrha. You’ll freeze to death up here in seconds, the Summit is the only safe haven there is.” Ruby stated, which made her scoff.

“Just like how Beacon Academy was Remnant’s Beacon of Hope?”

Ruby walked back towards her slowly. “So that’s your plan then? Gonna just… drink yourself to death? How the hell does that honour Jaune’s memory?” Ruby challenged angrily, Pyrrha gritted her teeth and bolted up from her stool.

“Don’t you fucking talk about him like you have a right to!” She yelled, pointing in Ruby’s face. “You betrayed us all! Not just Weiss and Blake but me and Jaune too! You turned Ren and Nora against us and destroyed the only real family we ever had!” She yelled.

“Ren and Nora chose their side just like you chose yours!” Ruby yelled back.

“There shouldn’t have ever been a side! You should have talked to us all! To your team! You were their leader!” Pyrrha erupted.

“WELL, I’M HERE NOW! Aren’t I?” Ruby roared, eyes glowing silver for a few moments before she calmed down. Pyrrha fell silent as she stared back, like she was lost for words… but then she spoke again.

“Yes… at long last. There’s hope for all of us.” She sarcastically snarked before sitting back down onto her stool. Ruby reached down into her bag and she held Jaune’s Snapped Crocea Mors, running her thumb across its blade, before glancing at her again.

“Come on… just come back… to Ren and Nora. They want to see you.” Ruby begged her, but she shoved her away.

“You still don’t get it do you? You weren’t there… you didn’t see what I saw on that day. What Weiss and Blake saw?” Pyrrha began. “Back before we knew what Salem was really capable of, I had hope that we could beat her. Because I didn’t realise that she couldn’t be killed by anything. And even then… I still had hope that we could win. That she could be killed! But when Cardin smashed her head apart with his Mace, and she just kept coming and ripped them apart… that was the moment I knew. Nothing could kill her… she was in the heart of the explosion Jaune set off… and she walked out of it like nothing happened. She was inside of Beacon Tower when it collapsed… and she walked out completely untouched. That was when I realised how foolish we had all been, to think we could beat her! We were kids! What did we know about anything? We’re up against… a God… a Monster. And I know… everyone knows the same thing that I know…”

They all stayed silent.

“Like I said… there is no hope for any of us.” Pyrrha said, slowly shuffling back towards her Glass. Ruby looked at her and then she just shook her head.

“You’re wrong. You’re dead wrong, there.” She assured, then Ruby leant beside Pyrrha once more. “The truth? The truth is that the world is the same as it has always been. Salem isn’t some monster who appeared out of nowhere… we always knew that she existed. And the strong are still preying on the weak to survive, nothing there has changed. Yeah, sure the scenery has changed, the Grimm act more like a Police Force now than wild monsters… but the Black Gallows are still controlling everything. It didn’t seem hopeless before, did it? No… we just pushed on, either for ourselves or for the people we love and love us.” Ruby explained.  “And you may think this is just my ridiculous optimism at play here… but I know there is a way to kill Salem. I have never asked Jinn that question yet, simply because I knew Salem would know I would ask it. She always knows whenever I use the Relic… but that fact alone is enough for me. She is scared of the fact I have the Lamp… because Jinn can show us the way.”

Pyrrha looked at Ruby and then at Penny who just nodded her head, filled with not just undying love… but also undying trust in Ruby and her plan. “So, if you wanna honour Jaune’s name? Let’s the bitch down who took him from us.”

Cinder couldn’t help but smile at that because that sounded so badass. Pyrrha drank the last of her shot, before turning it over and setting it down on the table. Ruby smiled and patted her on the shoulder and they turned to leave.

“Holy shit… look what we have here.” A man said, Cinder and Penny swiftly drew their weapons, forming them either out of Grave Dust or from Thin Air. He held out his hands with his heavier friend beside him. “Whoa, whoa! It’s okay… we’re not here to cause any trouble.” He assured as he walked in with her, and she sat down on one of the stools as well.

“Whoa… Valerian Biker Scotch? Been a while since I’ve seen the good stuff.” She said as she eyed up the bottle.

Ruby glanced at it and she smiled. “You want some?” Ruby asked politely.

“Oh, that would be swell, ma’am.” She answered with a smile.

“I’m Neil, that scrawny pal of mine is Candice. She loves Candy.” Neil joked, which made Candice raise a brow.

“I swear I’ll shoot you one day.” Candice laughed.

“Hey who knows, maybe we’ll shoot each other.” Neil also laughed, and Ruby set down the glass and filled it up for him before doing the same for Candice.

“I’m Sarah, this is Amber, Francesca and Naomi.” Ruby lied, swiftly coming up with some fake names. Something she had learned to do whenever it came to speaking to strangers, especially ones who turned up out of nowhere like this. They both wore large buffy jackets to keep them warm.

“Where’re you two from? I noticed your accents if you couldn’t tell.” Ruby chuckled as she sat down.

“That obvious, huh? Yeah, we’re originally from Vacuo, been travelling around ever since that place started to get worse. Wanted to get out of there before the Drought got even worse.” Neil explained.

“Yeah, you have no idea how bad it is there. The news doesn’t even come close to showing it.” Candice said.

“Gods… I’m so sorry.” Penny softly said. Ruby filled up one of the glasses for herself and gestured to Cinder who nodded. Penny of course couldn’t drink. Neil glanced at Pyrrha.

“What about you? Have one?” Neil asked her.

“I just quit.” She assured.

“You have a unique sense of timing, Naomi.” Neil joked.

“Yeah… she lost someone today. Someone really close to her.” Ruby covered, and Neil looked saddened by the news.

“I’m really sorry to hear that. To new days and better friends… I hope who you lost is resting well up there.” He said as he raised his glass, everyone who had one did – and Penny despite not having one copied the gesture anyway. He reached over the table, and in the process showed off his holstered gun… and Black Gallows Grade Electrified Restrainer. Ruby glared right at them, and he noticed her.

He smiled and took them both off, showing them. “Pretty cool, right? Out on our travels… we came across some dead Stockholm Troopers. With all the Grimm out there… or lunatics… thought it’d be safer to have something to defend ourselves, right?” He said, Ruby nodded her head.

“Yeah… pretty cool.” Ruby agreed. Ruby could feel the eyes glaring at them from Candice, she glanced at her, but Candice looked away.

“You two are a long way from Vacuo.” Cinder chimed in, just as suspicious of them as Ruby was.

“Feels like we’re a long way from anywhere.” Neil answered.

“Well, what made you climb all the way up here?” Cinder inquired as she took a sip of her glass.

“Well, I can promise you it wasn’t the temperature, I swear to the Gods I must have frostbitten feet by now.” Candice joked, which made Pyrrha chuckle.

“We’ve been looking for work all over. Candice has been my partner in crime ever since, bounced from place to place. Started off in Vale, seeing what work was there. Had nothing really, but we heard they needed some strong hands up in Atlas. Heard a lot of other stories too.” Neil explained, scratching the back of his neck.

“What kind of things?” Ruby asked.

“Well, we heard stories. People wanting to rise up against Salem again, starting up militias to try and fight against the Black Gallows. People coming back from the dead, even about a place near here. Called Kuchinashi, heard it got badly smashed up when some Rogue Huntress went crazy and started burning the place down. Like something from some horror movie, you see these days.” Neil chuckled; Penny looked increasingly concerned.

Ruby was starting to put the pieces together. “So… where are you four at? I mean… this town is hardly liveable, and it’s a big mountain. Must be some place we can find work here, right?” Candice curiously asked as she walked across the room to the wall, leaning against it.

“Any Mines? Job Postings? Bounties? Anything like that?” Neil asked curiously.

“If you wanna find anything like that I’d recommend heading down to Mistral. More likely to find some good stuff there.” Ruby assured.

“Sure… sure… but why are you four here? Said your friend here lost someone she cared about, right? You must be somewhere good… makeup… looking real pretty and all that. Can’t be out on the road like us grunts.” Neil stated, and Ruby glared at him. “Is it true what they say? About the Summit’s Claim? Is it really up there?”

“Heard there’s some beautiful Eagles there too.” Candice said.

“And the Women? The stories always said the women were drop dead gorgeous… I wouldn’t be surprised if the four of you came from there.” Neil said, Ruby’s glare never changed, staring straight into his eyes. “So… why don’t you come and help us out, huh? Take us to the Claim?”

“We’ve said enough.” Ruby put her foot down.

“Well, come on Sarah, think about it. We’re cool, aren’t we cool, Candice?” Neil asked.

“Oh, cooler than an Atlesian in the Winter.” Candice answered.

“We can work together, make some huge cash.” Neil suggested.

“I’m sorry that’s not an option.” Ruby assured, staring him down.

“D-Doesn’t sound like it would be a problem.” He retorted.

“I’m sorry, we’re not interested.” Pyrrha politely said.

“We’re getting by just fine on our own.” Ruby stated, Neil chuckled as he pinched the bridge of his nose.

“Wow… you ladies are something else. Y’know I thought we were friends.” He laughed.

“We don’t know anything about you.” Cinder reminded, with a bit of a growl in her voice.

“Well, that’s true. You don’t know a lick about us… you don’t know about the things we’ve had to do to survive in Salem’s New World. And judging by your face… Miss Rose… you’ve had to do some of those things yourself, am I right?” The gig was up, they both knew the whole time and were just trying to play along. “Ain’t nobody’s hands clean in what’s left of this screwed up world… we’re all the same… and we’re all trying to get by as best we can.”

“You’re after our bounties.” Ruby deduced.

“Afraid so, Ruby. Pyrrha Nikos, Penny Polendina and Cinder Fall… incredible how you have come back from the dead Invincible Girl.” Neil said as he walked away from the table and moved towards the bar, vaulting over it and landing on the other side. Ruby stood up calmly, standing between them. “But there is a pretty hefty price on your heads… I promise you this isn’t personal.”

“How did you find us?” Ruby questioned, and Neil gestured to Cinder and Pyrrha.

“Saw them moving up the mountain, thought we’d follow. Who’d have thought we’d run into two more wanted ladies in the process?” Neil chuckled as he stroked the handle of his pistol. Ruby swiftly moved her hands to the Holstered Black Thorn Volcanic Pistols. But she heard Candice ready her Black Gallows Restrainer which could immediately drop Ruby with its charge. “Now… the price is to bring you in either dead or alive, but we’re not dumb. We know the four of you are tough as nails. But we can bring you in alive if you prefer. We have our cables if you try anything.” He said, revealing the Bracers which had the Coils loaded, and Candice had two as well. One for each of them.

“We would very much like to get that Sixty Million without getting messed up in the process, thanks.” Candice stated.

“You don’t wanna try this, just walk away.” Ruby warned.

“Sorry, honey. We’re done surviving on pennies… and if getting more blood on our hands helps us survive? Then we’ll do it. So, the choice is yours.” Neil stated. “Surely you understand?”

“Yeah… I do. But I’m afraid you’re gonna have to find a better job, because we’re not going anywhere with you.” Ruby stated.

“Keep looking, huh? Where do you suppose we do that?” He asked.

“I don’t know. I hear Menagerie’s got a growing market these days.” Ruby shrugged.

“Menagerie.” Neil laughed. “This chick…”

Ruby moved faster than light, he went to fire his cables, but Ruby was quicker, slashing Black Thorn across his throat so deep that his head was thrown across the bar and into the wall, and she spun around and fired her Volcanic Pistol directly through Candice’s skull. Her brains splattered across the wall and she slumped onto the ground.

Both Pyrrha and Cinder stared with shocked eyes, Cinder was still in the middle of forming her Obsidian Axe, and Penny squeezed her eyes shut with grief for Ruby… having to take more lives. Ruby stood over their dead bodies and blood pooled out around them and she spun Black Thorn through her fingers and holstered them. She turned to Cinder who stared at her.

“I don’t take chances… anymore.” Ruby reminded, before she walked away. The three of them stood there as Ruby pushed the doors open and kept walking. They eventually followed her, making their way back home. Pyrrha followed them as they walked back towards the Mountain Path, completely unaware of what was watching.

Stood on the rocks behind them, watching from above, was Icarus.

He chuckled sinisterly as he stood there, spinning his Khopeshes through his fingers. With Adam beside him, grasping onto Wilt and Blush, smirking as he was ready to spill some blood. Alongside one Praetorian Knight, and a small army of Modified Grimm, ones designed to survive this high up in the Mountain.

Including the same Nuckelavee that killed Ren’s Mother and destroyed Kuroyuri. It snarled and the Imp groaned savagely.

Icarus opened his mechanical wings.

“Let’s begin.”

 

 

Chapter 14: Battle of the Summit's Claim - Pt. 1

Chapter Text

Oscar

 

He sat upon the chair, clutching onto his pencil he was just sketching with, admiring the beautiful landscape. Small gusts of wind carrier the sprinkles of snow off the rooftops, blowing through the air, starting their voyage across the landscape. He smiled as he watched the Altum Eagles circle overhead, hearing their gorgeous cries echo seamlessly across the Claim.

It’s so peaceful here… you’d almost forget the world completely changed beneath this place.

His hazel eyes glanced back down at his sketchbook, tapping the eraser against his pouted lip. “Looking for inspiration?” The voice of Ozpin asked him curiously. The shared existence with the Professor clearly was still raw for Oscar, since he flinched every time he spoke, even looking over his shoulder, expecting to see him stood there. He looked ahead to see the Apparition of Ozpin leant against the wooden support of the old house he was beside.

“You could say that.” Oscar replied, lifting his knee that the book was propped onto so he could focus on his drawings. Ozpin nodded his head, understanding his hesitation perfectly.

“How are you feeling?”

“I was fine… until you decided to chime in again.”

“I know how you must be feeling about all this. Having your own mind… and body… be shared by another? I did not want it to be that way either when it first happened to me.”

“How many people have you stolen the bodies of?”

Ozpin glanced at him. “It’s not… well… I guess it is. But believe me when I say this is not my choice. If things could be different, and innocents did not have to get involved in my mistakes I would prefer it… but I guess that was part of the Gods’ Play. To make me do things I would rather not.”

“Like making a monster?” Oscar stared straight at Ozpin, who glanced back at him. “Yeah… I haven’t forgotten what Cinder told me.” Ozpin nodded his head and he walked around, walking over the snow yet leaving no prints, unable to interact with the real world in this form.

“I was desperate…”

“You grave-robbed. And used the parts you found to create a monster, something nobody would ever accept. I mean what the hell were you thinking? Humanity could barely accept the Faunus for being who they are, why would they ever even think about accepting him?”

“Because I needed a countermeasure against Salem.” Ozpin revealed. “I never wanted to hurt Hazel… but I have watched thousands… maybe millions… of brave Huntsmen and Huntresses die horrible deaths to Salem and her monsters. People who I remember from when they were just students… children. I didn’t want to see any more people die… so I wanted to create something that… couldn’t die. Something that could match Salem on the battlefield… perhaps even wield the Relic of Destruction.” He explained, but Ozpin lowered his head in grief. “But Hazel… I created a new life thanks to my magic… and some useful technology from Ironwood… but it was not enough. I created a new person… but he lacked experience that life gives you. I created a new-born child… and shoved its mind inside of a hulking body.” Ozpin explained, his eyes squeezed shut with regret.

“And he ran? He panicked?” Oscar questioned, not sounding surprised one bit.

“Yes… he ran when I tried to help him understand how to fight. I lost sight of him, and eventually I realised his escaped the lab and broke out into the streets. It took me months to find him again… but when I eventually did… he was different. His experiences turned him into something completely different… and I found him hunched over the body of a little girl. He tried to help her from a Grimm, but accidentally broke her neck in the process. He blamed me for all of it… for creating a monster, for making him. I tried to calm him, but he attacked me in rage, I fended him off, but he nearly took my life, and then fled. I never saw him for an exceptionally long time… I started to believe he was dead. Ironwood suggested another idea, instead of using dead people to create new warriors, he suggested robotics. But I never wanted to touch the idea ever again.” Ozpin explained as he held his hands together, like he could not stand the sight of all that blood.

He then turned and saw Ruby, Penny, Cinder and Pyrrha return to the Summit’s Claim. Ozpin stared directly at Penny. “But as you can see… James had other ideas.” Oscar watched as the four of them walked down the town.

“And Salem found him. Gave him a new purpose and turned him into a monster.” Oscar finished, glaring at Ozpin. He nodded his head in agreement.

“I accept responsibility for my actions, Mr Pine. I know what I have done… and I know how many lives I have hurt… and destroyed.” He turned his gaze upon him once more. “Even you are a victim of my mistakes… I should have disciplined Qrow and Raven more, got them to see who their brother really was. Instead of the monster they forced him to become.” He sighed, closing his eyes with deep regret.

“You knew Team S.T.R.Q?” Oscar asked, remembering all about the whole mission to find Ruby the answers she needed, and to avenge her mother.

“They were some of my best students, before Team R.W.B.Y of course. Summer Rose… she was something special. Despite everything that happened in her life, her cruel family… everything… she still cared so much for so many people. She loved her team completely, but her friendship with Jackdaw Branwen? That was stronger than I ever anticipated. I never knew she was conversing with him in private on Patch. And even I was fooled by the lies of Qrow and Raven… and that monster Valravn.” Ozpin stood there, and Oscar could not only see the torment on the Professor’s face… but he could also feel it.

His regret.

How could I not have known? Was I really so blind to not know what Qrow did?

I should have done more… but now it doesn’t matter.

“I’m sorry.” Oscar apologised.

“There is nothing for you to apologise for. My mistakes are my own… and I can promise you, that you will make mistakes in the future as well. I pray though… that your mistakes will not haunt you like mine did me.” Ozpin explained.

Ruby slowed; her silver eyes immediately fell upon Oscar. He could see the look in her eyes…

She knows…

“We need to tell them, all of them. They deserve to know about what’s happening to me, the fact that you’re… alive… so to speak.” Ozpin looked at Oscar.

“Indeed… we have kept the secret long enough. Let me know when you wish for me to take the wheel, and I shall explain it all.” Ozpin assured, and Oscar pushed his hands against his legs as he stood up.

“Got it.”

He followed Ruby up the street towards the Monastery where the others had all gone, Pyrrha was sat down and she rested her head against the wall with her eyes closed as she nursed the headache, she had from all that alcohol. “Remind me to never drink again.” Pyrrha groaned.

“Gods… you really can’t handle, liquor can ya?” Cinder scoffed.

“Nope. It’s why I never drank before.” Pyrrha groaned, which made Cinder chuckle as she sat down beside Amber, gently stroking her hair.

“Are you guys okay?” Amber asked. “You look a little… rattled.”

Cinder smiled at her but then looked at Ruby who sat down on the bench and stared at her hands, like she couldn’t even recognise them anymore. “Yeah… just ran into some nasty men in there. But don’t worry… they can’t hurt us.”

“Did you kill them?” Amber asked.

“Not me.” She answered as she kept her eyes on Ruby. “How’s Vernal?”

“She’s okay… still asleep, but they say she’s recovering. I hope she wakes up soon.” Amber answered, Cinder smiled and held her close in a warm hug.

Ruby stared at the blood on her hands, and Ruby sat down beside her with a cloth and a bottle of water. “Here.” She softly said, wetting the cloth and she gently wiped the blood off Ruby’s hands. She still had that thousand-yard stare, Penny looked at her, gently touching her cheek so she looked at her. “It’s okay.”

“I… I don’t even know how many people I have had to kill now, Penny. I… you know I don’t ever want to do it, right?” Ruby nervously asked her. Penny smiled lovingly and kissed her on the lips, pressing her head to Ruby’s.

“I know… and once Salem is gone… we won’t have to.” Penny promised, and Ruby smiled as she rested her head on Penny’s shoulder. Her girlfriend continued to clean up the dried blood on her palms.

Oscar walked into the room where Li Ren was stood beside his son, talking about something. He looked at them all and he sat on the beanbag in the middle of the room. “Are you ready?” Ozpin asked.

“Are you?”

“I am.”

“Okay…” Oscar blew out a nervous breath. He looked at them all as they conversed, noticing that Ruby was already looking at him. She could not get it out of her mind, she needed to know if Cinder was kidding or not. “E-Everyone?” He raised his voice, but because of how shy he was to do public speaking some of them did not hear him and continued to speak. “Guys?”

Yang stood up, hearing him clearly. “HEY GUYS! Oscar has something to say.” Yang called out, getting everyone’s attention. Oscar smiled.

“Thanks, Yang.” Oscar chuckled, she winked with a smirk as she sat down. He exhaled and held his hands together. “Now… I know some of you have heard the rumours, maybe from Cinder or Pyrrha.” He said as he looked at them and Cinder just nodded her head slightly. “The rumours are true… Professor Ozpin… he is alive.”

That got all their eyes on him, and the whole room fell silent. “What?” Eryka questioned with wide eyes.

“How is that even possible?” Li Ren questioned.

“I’m… trying to put the pieces together myself… but from what he has told me… our auras have become bound together. He’s… here right now, actually.” He explained, and he turned to see Taiyang stand up from the crowd and walk down the steps with Zwei following him. The little corgi turned and stared straight at Vicky, then the two started playing together.

“Prove it.” Taiyang demanded, and Oscar nodded his head.

“Alright… just remember guys… I will still be here.” He assured, he closed his eyes and bowed his head. He felt his soul be pushed down as Ozpin flew up into the cockpit – so to speak. His eyes shone a soft gold, and his entire demeanour changed, holding his hands together over his lap. And when he spoke, they could even hear both Ozpin’s old voice combined with Oscar’s natural tone.

“Hello again, Taiyang… Miss Rose… Miss Xiao Long… all of you. It is so very good to see you again, students.” Ozpin said, and Taiyang’s eyes were wider than ever.

“By the gods…” Taiyang gasped as he stood there. “How is this… even possible?”

“That is a long story, but I will do my best to explain it to you in a somewhat timely manner.” He assured. But as he was about to speak, he stopped when he double-took at Ruby, with wide eyes. “You… have the Relic?”

Ruby looked at the Lamp on her belt and she just saw Ozpin smile with awe through Oscar’s face. “Yeah… we uh… kinda stole it right from Salem’s hands. Literally, in fact.”

“Well, it seems today just piles up on the surprises.” Ozpin chuckled with a smile.

“Hang on, you can’t just keep us hanging here! How are you even here?” Nora squeaked with an utterly baffled face. Her bubbly personality always managed to make Ozpin laugh, especially now of all times. Despite how dire the state of the world was, Nora Valkyrie was still that erratic hysterical girl that he watched become a skilled Huntress at his Academy. He chuckled with a smile.

“Well… I am glad to see you still have your sense of humour. I have caused you all tremendous hardship already… I’m sorry.” He apologised and closed his eyes with grief.

“I-It’s not your fault, though… professor.” Weiss said as she sat forward.

“It’s all my fault.” He said as he stood up. He told them the same thing he told Cinder and the others when they were in the Ruins of Beacon Academy, about how Salem was his responsibility and he failed to defeat her, alongside his curse cast upon him by the Brothers Grimm. Alongside the frightening realisation that the two Gods are growing desperate to stop Salem, to the point where they are having to work together, despite their vast differences.

He stood before them as he concluded on the same story, he told Cinder and the others, but then he turned to Ruby. “But this… this does give me hope. I never imagined you would have managed to get your hands on one of the Relics. Especially one so important.” Ozpin said as he looked at the Golden Lamp which pulsed with a bright blue energy. “Has Jinn told you about how she works?”

“You can ask me yourself, Old Man.” The flirtatious Jinn spoke as the blue smoke started to vent out from the Lamp and swirl around the lamp before forming her magnificent body before them all. Cinder’s eye widened with awe, and then she quickly covered Amber’s eyes from her nude shape. Pyrrha and Weiss both stared in amazement at it as well, whilst Blake listened with similar intrigue. “It’s been a long time, Ozma.”

“It has…” Ozpin chuckled.

“And yes, I have indeed informed Miss Rose on my little… rules.” She said as she floated down and laid upon the laps of her and Penny. Both their eyes wide with confused feelings.

“Oh gods… why must you always embarrass me, Jinn?” Ruby groaned as she blushed.

“What can I say? I like you.” Jinn responded by booping her nose, making Ruby blush all the more.

“Can we… stay on topic, here? I see you are still as flirtatious as I remember.” Ozpin said with a chuckle.

Why did the gods have to make her so hot?

Ozpin just rolled his eyes at Oscar’s childish comment. “It seems Jinn trusts you a great deal… I don’t ever remember her being this way with anyone else.”

“Not only did Ruby Rose save my life, but I see something in her. The same thing that I believe you saw in her the moment she was sat in that dark room being fed an entire plateful of cookies.” Jinn explained.

“A Spark.” Ozpin recited.

“Precisely. Not only did she manage to save me from Salem, but she was brave enough to literally yank me right from her hands. That kind of bravery is rare, but her pure heart was the other proof I needed. Despite everything, despite the fact the world despises her… she still vows to help them. That is what this world needs – and that is the only kind of person I would place trust in my knowledge.” Jinn explained, and Ozpin nodded his head.

“Well… I agree. Miss Rose is more than capable of looking after you.” Ozpin assured.

“So, what do we do now?” Blake asked. “Salem is hunting us now, and it won’t take long before she realises where we are.”

“She’s right, that’s the closest her forces have ever come to the Summit’s Claim. And if Watts managed to modify the damn Gyrfalcon so then it could survive this kind of altitude? Then we can bet she will demand more upgrades. By my logic she’s probably already sent a battalion here to finish us off.” Winter explained.

“How can you be sure of that?” Taiyang asked her.

“It’s what I’d do. All your enemies in one place, wipe them out in one fell swoop.” Winter explained.

“Yes, but Salem does not operate in conventional means of warfare. She could do what we expect or do something completely different. Or both.” Ozpin explained. “She has lived for longer than I have, and her stratagem has always beaten mine because she does not care for morals. She just wants the job done.”

“I can tell you where to find the final Relic, but if I do that, she will know exactly where we are.” Jinn revealed.

“You know where the Relic of Creation is?” Cinder asked.

“Of course, I do. I’m the Relic of Knowledge.” Jinn bluntly answered.

“Duh.” Amber sneered, Cinder lightly elbowed Amber’s shoulder, which made her giggle.

“Well, Salem already knows where we are. Watts isn’t stupid, and he knows that the only place we could have ran to was the Summit’s Claim. Salem will be sending forces here no matter what… we may as well take advantage of that timing.” Ruby explained, and Li Ren looked at them all. He nodded his head and left the Monastery.

“I will prepare our people for the coming attack.” Li promised, and he closed the door behind him.

Jinn ascended before them all with her arms held out and Ruby stood up, looking upon the angelic entity. “Jinn…” She blew out a nervous breath.

No turning back now.

We need to find that Relic before Salem does.

“… Where is the Relic of Creation?”

Jinn’s eyes glowed a bright blue and her entire body shone brighter as well, and the light consumed them all. Ruby looked around with wide eyes, stumbling as the entire room crumbled before her very eyes.

It was fast, but it was what she needed to see. She took the form of an Eagle, gliding over the ruins of Beacon Academy, and over the city of Vale. The Eagle dove through the trees, passing by the Grimm that were roaring and charging through the woods, then it ascended somewhere else. She saw flashes of a man from an older time holding the Sword and driving it down into a stone, with wide blue eyes and blonde hair. The sword remained in the stone, forevermore.

Before her was an ancient castle, one that at the time in the vision was not so ancient, but now was an old ruin, left behind on the cliffs of Vale. An ancient bastion during the Great War. Huge waves crashed against the cliffs, and overhead… the moon was whole… until a powerful white beam shot up from Vytal and a huge explosion completely shattered part of the moon.

The Eagle slowed before the Castle, then Ruby gasped as she saw the flashing images before her. Hearing the voices roaring in her head. “PROTECT THE SWORD!” A demented voice roared, then she saw the flash of Salem’s burning red eyes, and her sinister smirk… but that one felt like it was happening right now.

The last thing she saw… where another pair of eyes… but these were different, unfamiliar eyes.

They burned a dark purple, cracking the skin around the eyes, and filled with hatred, and a dark breath.

Then the vision ended, and Ruby collapsed to her knees, gasping and panting on the floor. Penny and Yang rushed to her side, helping her up, and so did Taiyang. “Ruby!” Taiyang gasped as they held her up and sat her down. Jinn held her hands behind her back as she floated before them all. Ruby gasped, blood leaked from her nose.

“Her nose…” Weiss nervously said.

“Don’t worry, that happens all the time. It’s nothing serious.” Ren assured.

“Mr Ren is correct, Miss Schnee. The power of my knowledge is sometimes too much for a mortal mind. I am always careful with how much I show people… to much knowledge can burn the individual out and can even be lethal.” Jinn explained.

“Here, Ruby… drink.” Penny softly said as she gave her the water bottle, Ruby drank it as she pressed the cool bottle against her head. Ozpin approached Ruby and crouched down before her as she lifted her head, shaking the pain away.

“Ruby? You still with us?” He asked her.

“I think so.” Ruby chuckled.

“What did you see?” He asked her.

“I… I saw Vale… Beacon. It’s in Vale, I’m certain of that. But then I ended up at some old castle, I saw a man drive the Relic into a stone. The Castle is built on a cliff, white cliffs… and the waves were crashing into it. And I saw… this beam… shoot up into the moon, but it looked whole then… and after the beam hit it, it exploded and it… looked just like it did now.” Ruby explained, strained from using the Relic.

Ozpin said nothing and he walked away. “The hell does that mean?” Taiyang questioned, but Oz still said nothing.

“There’s more…” Ruby assured. “Salem… I saw her. She knows, I know that it was happening now. Whenever we used the Relic in the past, I always saw her face. She always knows whenever we use her.”

“Sounds like she is on her way.”

“And…”

They all looked at her. “The last thing I saw… were these eyes. I’ve never seen anyone with eyes like this though. They were burning with this dark purple… almost like flames.”

“Tyrian?” Cinder asked, remembering how his eyes turned purple whenever he either used his semblance or his stinger.

“No, his eyes just glowed… this… this was different. The skin around their eyes was cracked and these dark purple embers were pouring out. Their skin was pale as hell too… just like Salem. I’ve never seen anything like it.” Ruby explained, and they walked around. Jinn descended before Ruby smiled.

“I hope you’re ready.” She spoke.

“What do you mean?” Penny asked, she hardened her expression.

“They’re here.”

 

Battle of the Summit

 

The Warriors of the Summit’s Claim stood at the ready on their walls and within the compound itself, weapons in hand. Some of them looked terrified but were ready to fight, nonetheless. Li walked past one of them, sensing his fear and he gently held his shoulder with a smile. He walked towards the gates as Cinder formed her axe and crouched down in front of Amber. “No matter what happens, you stay in the Monastery, okay?” Cinder said.

“O-Okay…” Amber wrapped her arms around Cinder in a warm hug, and the medics wheeled Venal in the same direction. Yang flicked her hair over her shoulder and Blake stayed at the Monastery as well, still not able to fight due to her blindness, which was killing her inside. Ruby spun Black Thorn through her fingers as they got to position, with Penny beside her.

Ren and Nora walked together, and she stopped him, grabbing him and pulling him down to her lips to share a long and loving kiss. “Come back.” She ordered.

“Yes, ma’am.” He replied, walking with his father and Taiyang. Weiss held Myrtenaster tightly as she watched from the walls with Winter and Eryka. Pyrrha was also inside the Monastery, to protect the non-combatants in case the Grimm broke through. Without her weapons, she was little use out there on the front line.

Li, Ren and Taiyang approached the main gates, and Sashaa nodded, opening it for them. On the other side of the gates, were Icarus and Adam. The two of them stood there and walking up behind them was the Praetorian Knight that Salem commanded to join them. It stood with its Sceptre pressed down against the ground in a knightly posture.

Li walked ahead of his son and friend, staring directly at Icarus. He sensed the mechanical jaw and the mechanical wings, it was him, no question. “So, it’s true… you serve Salem now.” Icarus said nothing, the hatred was burning in his eyes. He wanted to kill him where he stood for what he did to his father… for what he did to him that night. But Li had equal reason to hate him too, for he was the one who brought that Nuckelavee to Kuroyuri in the first place. The same monster that killed his wife and took his eyes. “What have you become?”

“I am what you made me.” Icarus stated with a vicious snarl in his metallic voice.

“You…” Taiyang snarled, staring straight at Adam Taurus, clenching his fists so hard that the raw energy of his semblance channelled through his muscles. “… I know what you did to my girl. Do you know how much suffering she had to endure because of you?”

Adam just smirked. “Not enough.”

Taiyang growled and went to walk forward but Li held out his arm, stopping him. The wind howled around them as they stood there, and Taiyang calmed his nerves, backing off. “You are at the Summit’s Claim now… Salem’s laws carry no weight here. I am going to politely request that you turn around now.” He warned, which made Icarus chuckle sinisterly as he reached into his pocket, and he threw something on the floor.

Li stared at it, and despite his blindness… he knew immediately what it was. Ren seethed with fury when he saw it. “Such a shame… she was such a beautiful woman. Too bad the accident at Kuroyuri happened.” He said, and laid on the floor was the necklace that once belonged to An Ren. Li kept his nerves cool and looked back at him.

“Are we here to merely trade insults?” Li questioned.

“No… someone would like to have a word with you.” Icarus answered, he then nodded to Adam who reached into his jacket pocket and held the spherical device in his hand. It approached; multiple glowing plates rotated around the core. It floated towards them… then a holographic image formed from the sphere, revealing Arthur Watts. He looked like he was actually there but was only a life-sized hologram.

“Li Ren.” He greeted.

“Doctor Arthur Watts, I presume?” Li inquired.

“You presume correctly, sir. I have a lot of respect for the Summit’s Claim, I really do. You have kept to yourselves for thousands of years, living your own peaceful lives in harmony. It’s admirable… truly.” Watts explained as his hologram paced around. “But then you just had to go and harbour… well… all of Salem’s Fugitives. I’m afraid our Queen demands that you hand over, Pyrrha Nikos, Oscar Pine, Ruby Rose, Penny Polendina and Cinder Fall immediately.”

“That’s a tall order.” Taiyang stated, which made Watts chuckle.

“The truth is Mr Xiao Long… it’s the best offer you will ever get. I mean, I am surprised that Salem is even bothering with all this… after how many times you have burned her requests… but once again… she is giving you the chance to surrender peacefully.” Watts stated as he held his arms behind his back with that smirk hidden beneath his moustache. “Don’t let this become another Kuroyuri, Li.”

“You see… that’s where you’re wrong, Arthur.” Li responded, suddenly smashing the device apart with one fast swing with his staff, glaring down at it with gritted teeth. “This isn’t Kuroyuri!” He growled, Icarus scowled at him whilst Adam grinned, excited for bloodshed whilst the Praetorian Knight.

Li, Ren and Taiyang all walked back towards their Gates. “Everyone! Prepare for combat!” he yelled, whilst Icarus opened his wings and drew his Khopeshes.

“I was hoping he’d do that.” Icarus admitted, determined for vengeance for both his father and himself. Adam drew Wilt and Blush, laughing sadistically whilst the Praetorian Knight channelled dark magic through his body of floating metal and slammed the Sceptre down into the ground with a haunting howl. And up the path… came the heavy rumbling of an army of Grimm headed straight for them. Icarus took off and Adam jumped out of the way.

Eryka glared at the growing smog of Grimm. “Here they come…”

The snow came the Grimm, lead by a Goliath which roared furiously as it grew closer and closer. “Fire!” Eryka roared, launching her Explosive Arrow directly into the eye of the Goliath, shattering the bone armour around its skull. The Goliath trumpeted before crashing down to the ground, but the rest of the Grimm Forces kept coming. Weiss and Winter summoned their Glyphs, firing different elements down upon the Grimm, setting some of 6them alight of skewering them with spikes of ice. Winter smiled at her sister.

“Looks like you haven’t stopped honing your semblance.” Winter said.

“What can I say? I had a good teacher.” Weiss replied with a smile, then Weiss formed six more Glyphs behind her, which all shot icicles down towards the Creeps that lunged towards the walls.

“Keep them away from the walls!” Sashaa called out as she kept firing her Rifle down at them, nailing beast after beast. Sashaa gasped at what she saw rising up from ahead, there was a small creature which started to roar and grow in size. It had long sharp ears and burning red eyes, and it was incredibly muscular with plates of bony armour covering its back. It also grew another pair of arms as well from its ribs as it roared, foaming viciously at the mouth.

“The hell is that?” Sashaa gasped, Winter looked ahead and saw the creature sprinting towards the gates on all six legs, running like some wild ape.

“Crap, looks like a Shifter! Take it out!” Winter commanded, entering her Military Mindset once more. The men and women on the walls started firing their guns at the monster as it charged directly towards the gates, the bullets hit the armour on its back as it remained hunched forward as it bound closer and closer. Then it roared and punched its fists down into the snow and dug its razor-sharp claws into the soil, ripping out a boulder of stone. Winter’s eyes widened. “Oh shit… INCOMING BOULDER! GET DOWN!” She roared at the Shifter launched it directly at them, it exploded as soon as it hit the wall and Sashaa screamed as it threw her off the wall. She crashed down against the ground, her aura breaking instantly. She groaned in pain, but Yang rushed to her aid, dragging her to safety.

Winter lifted her head, turning to Winter. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah, just a few dings and bruises. Nothing my aura can’t patch up. We need to take out that Shifter! It’s at the gates!” Eryka called out, firing her Bow down at it repeatedly, but all she was hitting were its plates. The Shifter repeatedly smashed its body into the doors as it roared. It then punched its four fists into the doors over and over, howling with every strike, damaging the already damaged hinges already.

“Damn it Pyrrha, you just had to damage the door, didn’t you?” Winter growled with annoyance.

“Get ready! They’re coming through!” Winter called out to everyone below.

Yang gritted her teeth hard as she glared at the doors, fists clenched, ready to kill some Grimm. The Shifter bellowed as it threw itself through the doors. They broke off the strong hinges and crashed down onto the snow, the Shifter tumbled through the snow but landed on all six limbs. It reared its back and smashed all four fists into its chest, roaring savagely at them all, and the rest of the Grimm started pouring through the gates.

“Hey!” Yang called out, and she blasted directly at the monster, punching it across the face and jumping up to uppercut it. It stumbled backwards but as Yang went to attack again, it caught her by the arms and her body in its hands and threw her directly into the wall. The wall exploded and crumbled around her, luring the Beast inside. Yang lifted her head, wiping the dust and snow from her golden hair, then her lilac eyes widened as she gasped. The Shifter threw itself into the room and swiped its claws at her, but Yang lifted her cybernetic arm upwards, stopping its attack dead, and then she rode the recoil backwards, avoiding the other arm. The Shifter drooled as it stared her down, and she kept her fists raised, before rushing the beast.

She fired shot after shot from Ember Celica, shotgun shell fragments dug into the flesh but did extraordinarily little damage compared to the rest of its body. But then she launched multiple screeching missiles towards the monster that exploded upon contact with its chest. The Shifter was thrown back through the whole it jumped through by the explosion, now with multiple scorch marks and holes in its flesh. However, it was not dead yet, forcing itself back up onto its feet. But as she stood there, she turned and smiled as her Father stood beside her. “Need a hand?” Taiyang asked her with a smirk.

“Oh nah, but the company is always welcomed.” Yang assured, which made her dad laugh. The Shifter glared at them, followed up with another roar, attempting to frighten them with that nightmarish noise, but they never even flinched. The Shifter dug its two left arms into the snow and ripped out a chunk of rock, lobbing it right at them. Taiyang jumped forward, channelling his aura into his fists, and the powerful impact of his punch completely obliterated the rock. But through the dust, the Shifter jumped right at him and grabbed him with its upper two arms, smashing him down against the ground, whilst grabbing Yang by the throat with one of its lower arms. It stared at her with gritted sharp teeth.

It lunched down towards Taiyang’s throat to rip out his jugular with its long sharp fang-like canines, until Taiyang’s eyes glowed, and he suddenly created a powerful pulse of energy. The Shifter released him and Yang, and its black fur set alight with flames, it writhed and howled in agony from the fire that scorched the flesh. It smashed a crate across the floor, then Taiyang ran towards its back leg and he punched it there so hard that the bone burst through its thigh. The beast fell to one knee with an agonized roar, only to finally be finished off by Yang as she jumped towards the beast, firing multiple remote detonated explosive shells into its ribs. They beeped where they dug themselves and she flipped backwards after jumping off its face, landing down on the snow, looking away as she detonated them.

The Shifter roared one last time before the ribs of the beast erupted, and Yang smirked as the explosion went of behind her. Its roar was completely silenced, and its entire chest was blown open, splattering black blood everywhere. The Shifter slumped down to the ground before crumbling away into ashes. Yang rose back up to her feet and Taiyang smirked as he wiped the Grimm Blood from his shoulder. “That’s my girl.”

“Learned from the best.” She beamed.

“We got more!” One of the Guards called out, firing her rifle down at the Grimm that came rushing through the Gates. Beowulves charged inside and howled to the sky, before slashing their claws at the brave men and women who attacked them with their weapons. One of them smashed her axe down the shoulder of the creature, however it simply took the strike in stride, and slashed up her chest with its other hand. She screamed and fell on the floor, only to be finished off by the Beowulf as it clamped its jaws onto her throat and shook her violently as she screamed. Her blood splattered over the snow, and the creature glared at Yang viciously.

These people had looked after them for six years… Yang knew them all… they all did. And seeing them being killed like this? It angered her, but before she was set off, Ruby suddenly shot forward and slashed Black Thorn through the throat of the beast. Yet it still kept coming, only to be finished off when Ruby fired both Volcanic Pistols directly into its open mouth, killing it at long last. “These things are tougher; Salem must have modified these Grimm to survive up here!”

“We always knew she would do something eventually.” Yang said, reloading Ember Celica. Ruby dashed towards the Grimm in a flurry of Petals, cutting down multiple Creeps. Some were clearly stronger than others, that fact alone made things harder. They had no idea how much firepower they would have to pump into the Grimm, their strength was completely randomised. Ruby then looked up with wide Silver Eyes as she heard the sound of a rocket roaring over their heads, noticing the mechanical wings.

“Icarus…” She hissed.

Icarus flew across the Summit’s Claim and he opened the wings up and threw Grandes down towards the Yurts, creating fiery explosions which set their homes alight. He could hear the panicked screams of the non-combatants who were not in the Monastery yet as they tried to flee. He readied his Khopeshes to cut them down, laughing sinisterly, until he heard his voice. “ICARUS!” Li Ren bellowed, Icarus paused and turned to the smoke and embers where he heard his voice.

The Old Blind Man walked through the smoke with his staff, spinning it through his fingers as he looked up at him. “Your fight is with me. Do not think me a fool, I know that is the sole reason you joined Salem. To get your revenge.” Li stated, and Icarus descended and landed before him, keeping his Mechanical Wings open as he circled him.

“You’re a weak, blind old man, Li… not the great warrior you once were. You’re a fool to think you can fight me.” Icarus stated, Li threw his cloak aside, revealing his old combat gear underneath it all, and he held his staff in his human hand, whilst keeping the cybernetic one free.

“Blind? Yes. Old? Yes. But Weak? I think not.” Li stated as he stood his ground, holding his staff and keeping his composure. Icarus glared directly at him, holding his Khopeshes tight. Icarus suddenly launched directly at Li and slashed his Khopeshes towards him, only for Li to duck down and roll across the snow, easily dodging his attacks. Icarus snarled and then he threw one of the grenades at him, only for Li to effortless bat it aside with his staff, creating a large explosion behind him. Icarus’ eyes narrowed, then the furious Mercenary threw himself forward, not only swinging his Khopeshes at the old man, but also his wings, thrusting the sharp feathers down and forwards, trying to cut him down. But Li backed up, moving faster than he ever expected, blocking and countering every move he made, punching Icarus in the side of his face with his metal hand before he rolled over his back and slammed his staff into the centre of his back with ease.

Icarus suddenly ascended into the air with his Wingsuit, blasting directly at him and spiralling round, cutting his Khopeshes at the old Warrior, but Li ducked down, only narrowly missing that attack. Icarus banked around one of the peaks before diving directly towards him. He roared with hatred as he slammed both his feet down into the ground, driving his sharp wings down where he was stood, and Li spun across the snow, and batted the man across the side of his head with the staff. Icarus was thrown backwards, but the thrusters in his wingsuit slowed him down, and he charged towards him once more.

As Icarus rushed forward, Li went to close line him with his staff, but Icarus jumped over his head, surprising Li, and he hooked the old man’s leg and swiped him off his feet. He then drove the two wings down towards his face to try and kill him fast, but he held up his staff with both hands, holding him back. “Look upon your works, old man… I know you are blind… but I know you know what I have become. I know how you are still able to see our auras… what do you see now?” Icarus growled, and the truth genuinely scared Li.

Because that little boy? Who was once a good kid, who could have done so many good things? The only thing left in him now was hatred, and fire. But as he pushed the bladed feathers down against Li’s throat, Stormflower suddenly shot forward and the cable wrapped around his neck, and Ren jumped over him with rage in his eyes. He landed behind Icarus and pulled him back, looking ahead with wide eyes as Magni also came hurtling directly at him. Icarus grunted and Ren rolled out of the way just in time as Icarus tumbled off the edge of the cliff.

Only for his wings to open up once more, and the jetpack to blast off once more, flying overhead. Ren helped his Dad back up to his feet whilst Nora spun Stormur Skeggox through her fingers. “We know you’re a badass, Li… but you’re gonna need help if you’re gonna take this bastard down.” Nora stated, remembering how it took all of the Rogues to bring him down last time.

And he was even stronger now.

“So, it would seem.” Li agreed.

“And besides… I think the three of us all have plenty reason to kill this guy.” Ren snarled as he held Stormflower tight. Icarus laughed as he hovered over them, slowly descending down to the ground.

“As I suspected… the old man must call upon his shadows to protect him. Such a pity.” Icarus growled. “No matter, at least I can take your son and his ball and chain from you as well.”

“Eh, more like Pet Sloth.” Nora shrugged, Icarus raised his eyebrow in confusion at that, but it made Ren chuckle.

Ren, Nora and Li stood before Icarus who extended his wings and spun his Khopeshes through his fingers, preparing to fight them to the death he had to.

Back at the centre of the Claim, the Grimm were still pouring through. Penny flew up into the air with Cinder beside her, blasting the Grimm out of the sky, she launched her swords up towards the Manticore that went to attack the Monastery, sending the monster crashing down towards the ground. Cinder roared as she drove her axe into the throat of a Teryx, and the two of them crashed down to the ground. Cinder stood atop its corpse and threw her axe with one hand, directly into the face of a Beringel.

Ruby and Yang fought back-to-back against the Grimm together, and Winter continued to hold the Wall with Weiss and Eryka, repeatedly decimating the Grimm with their raged attacks. But some were managing to climb up the wall, forcing them to have to fight them the old-fashioned way. Weiss repeatedly stabbed the Beowulf in the chest with Myrtenaster, before kicking it off the wall. “Get off my wall!” She yelled.

But her eyes widened as she saw something massive charging towards the gates. It was like a Horse with a Rider on it, and the Imp hanging lifelessly from its Equine Partner was filled with arrows and spears but was definitely still alive. It was the Nuckelavee, the same one that attacked and destroyed Kuroyuri.

The same one that killed An.

The Nuckelavee roared as it cleared through the gates and skidded across the snow. It reared back and roared to the sky. Li, Ren and Nora all turned with wide eyes as they saw the same monster there. Icarus laughed as he stared them down. “Bring back memories?” Icarus asked.

“You’re gonna pay for what you did.” Ren growled.

“Not before your father pays for what he did to mine… and to me.” He snarled, pointing to his mechanical jaw. “Did he ever tell you that? Or did he hide that too?”

“He told me… I know all about what happened. And I am sorry… but you killed my mom. Took away my home… I can never forgive that.” Ren snarled, which made Icarus chuckle.

“Then I suppose we are in agreement.” Icarus stated moments before they attacked.

Ruby stared at the Nuckelavee with wide eyes, it too had been modified by Salem. Its eyes were glowing just like that Shifter’s and the Beowulf’s…

“That’s how we can tell which Grimm have got major upgrades! It’s their eyes!” Ruby called out, then it turned and stared straight at her. Or more specifically… at the Relic of Knowledge. “Uh oh…”

The Nuckelavee suddenly extended its arm and grabbed Ruby, throwing her across the Claim and straight through a building, pursuing her. “Ruby!” Yang screamed. Not only that, but her eyes widened as the Praetorian Knight sprinted straight through the Gates, driving its Sceptre straight through the chest of one of the warriors, killing him instantly. It turned to where Ruby was thrown by the Nuckelavee, and it also pursued. They were both going after the Relic.

Ruby was good… but she could never take on both an Enhanced Ancient Nuckelavee and a Praetorian Knight at once.

“I’ll go! Keep the town secure!” Penny called out, and Cinder followed, she was gonna need all the help she could get against that Nuckelavee and the Praetorian Knight. But as Yang stood there… she felt her blood go cold… and her Phantom Pains returned when she heard his voice. His laugh… it made her feel sick.

“Well look who it is…” Adam chuckled, and she slowly turned to see him stood there. Her eyes stared at Wilt and Blush, all too familiar. Flashing images of that moment hit her like a truck, and his smirk remained.

“You…”

“Perhaps this time I can actually finish the job.” Adam chuckled as he pointed his sword straight at her. But she hardened herself and clenched her fists.

“Right back at ya.” She snarled, and from the Monastery with her enhanced hearing… Blake heard his voice. She was shaking, but she also heard Yang…

… and she could not stay back.

She couldn’t keep hiding, no matter how badly her Blindness affected her skills.

One way or another…

The Fate of the Summit’s Claim was going to be decided in this battle…

 

 

Chapter 15: Battle of the Summit's Claim - Pt. 2

Chapter Text

Ren

 

Icarus roared with a seething fury as he flew directly towards them, and he spun quickly, slashing his dual Khopeshes at them. Li rolled aside whilst Ren charged towards him, dropped and slid underneath him. Nora fired her Grenades at him from Stormur Skeggox, but folded his wings before his chest, shielding the pink explosives from hitting his body. He then spun around, slashing his huge wings at her, and she raised her axe with both hands, stopping the razor-sharp feathers from cutting across her aura. Nora swung the axe diagonally at him, but he caught her axe with the curved blade of his Khopesh, and then punched it from her grasp. Nora gasped, suddenly grabbed by the throat, and lifted off the floor. Icarus glared at her with enraged eyes, snarling through his mechanical jaw.

Nora’s eyes crackled and his widened, he immediately ducked as Magni came flying towards him from behind. He threw her aside and ducked down, narrowly missing his head. He stared at her as the two weapons came flying back into her hands. She smirked at him as her eyes shone a bright pink, electricity started to course through her veins thanks to the Electrified Dust Cartridges she now had built into the grips of her weapons, ready to charge her up to full power whenever she needed to.

She squeezed the triggers on her weapons and golden lightening erupted through the metal and coursed through her scars, causing them to light up bright pink, alongside her eyes. She roared with fury as Icarus blasted towards her. He then threw his Khopesh towards her, Nora was unable to dodge it in time and it hooked her by the throat, pinning her against the wall. She strained as she tried to break free. Icarus launched forward and drove both his sharp wings directly into the walls where her head was. But he kept her trapped there and proceeded to punch her over and over in the face, sending a hard punch directly to her gut as well. She grunted then roared with rage, creating a powerful electrical pulse that threw him backwards.

He stared at his wings, noticing the electronics were going haywire. “Crafty trick you have there, Valkyrie.” Icarus hissed; he may no longer have a mouth but somehow, she could tell he was grinning. Just by looking at his squinted eyes.

“I’m just getting started.” She assured, and the head of Stormur Skeggox started to glow even brighter as she channelled energy through the entire weapon. She then yelled and thrusted it forward after breaking free from his Khopesh in the wall. A powerful beam of pink energy shot forward from Stormur Skeggox’s axe-head, and it collided directly into his wings as the power returned to them. The feathers folded over each other and he held the beam back for as long as he could. The sheer power behind the attack was pushing Icarus through the snow, even melting and evaporating it from the heat.

Just as the beam ended, he opened his wings to attack, only for Nora to throw Magni straight into his chest. The Hammer whistled as it flew through the air and crashed into his chest. Icarus barked, thrown back and tumbling through the snow. Ren swung around one of the flagpoles and slammed both feet into Icarus’ face. The Archangel tumbled through the snow, flakes fell from his metal wings and Ren skilfully rolled across the snow, landing onto his feet. He twisted around and aimed both the Stormflower Pistols at him and opened fire. The green bullets came flying towards him, but Icarus raised one wing, opening the feathers like fingers, blocking all his bullets from hitting him.

He then opened his spare hand, where Gravity Dust started to connect to his secondary Khopesh. “You lot have gotten better, but you’re still nothing compared to me.” Icarus snarled, the Khopesh he threw at Nora flew off from the snow and he used the gravitational pull from his gauntlet to slingshot it towards Ren. He gasped and flipped backwards, narrowly missing it, but then it circled back around and returned to his hand. As Ren landed, Icarus blasted his thrusters towards Ren and he jumped towards him, slashing both Khopeshes downwards with immense force. Ren blocked the incoming strike with the bladed machine pistols, but Icarus proceeded to kick him in the chest.

His Wingsuit opened, two little silos appeared, and he fired tiny explosive projectiles towards him. Ren ran and he jumped up in the air, firing his grappling hooks onto the shoulders of the Mercenary. He corkscrewed through the air, narrowly dodging the tiny missiles which exploded around him. It was like time slowed as he focused his mind on his enemy, fire erupting all around him. Icarus snarled back at him, before he swung his Wing around, and knocked Ren out of the air. He dropped to the floor, quickly rolling aside as Icarus swung both the curved Khopesh Blades down towards his face. They clanged off the rock, and as Ren jumped back up, he roundhouse kicked Icarus across the face.

His mechanical jaw hissed violently, and he frantically grabbed onto his nutrient cannister, securing it back in place. His eyes turned wild with rage and he launched into a berserk rage, firing multiple grenades from his bracers which exploded upon impact. Ren flew backwards from the powerful explosion, his aura flickered but was not broken. He raised his head from the snow that he fell into, and he saw that familiar glowing red light shimmering in his eyes as he writhed around.

That was when he remembered his Semblance…

Blind Rage.

Where he would just lose himself in anger and see everything around him as a threat and would kill it on sight, becoming more and more powerful the angrier he got, until someone broke his aura. He was like a living time bomb, and he gripped onto his Khopeshes – Undying Hatred – tighter and tighter. He turned to see Li, and it was like all that rage was being directed towards him now.

He unleashed a berserk and metallic roar, and launched his Khopesh towards him, but Li redirected it with his staff, and Icarus opened his palm, using the Gravity Dust to summon it right back. He charged forward before blasting directly at him, and he slashed the two weapons down at him, before taking off up into the air and staring down at him. “ALL OF THIS? I WILL BURN IT ALL TO EMBERS! THERE WILL BE NOTHING LEFT!” Icarus bellowed, before he dove down towards Li like a Falcon, and slammed his fist down into the ground.

The shockwave staggered him and created a brief moment of confusion for everyone as the snow hung in the air. But Li? His blindness was more of an advantage now than ever before since he never needed to worry about vision. He stood calmly as he listened to the environment, blocking out everyone else, the sounds of gunfire and the Grimm. Only what he needed to find. He swiftly turned as Icarus lunged for him, slamming both blades down onto his staff, but Icarus yanked it from his hands and threw it across the floor. Icarus swung his knee up into Li’s gut and then slammed his elbow down into his back. Li grunted but proceeded to swing both fists up into his jaw.

Icarus roared with anger, looking around as Li seemed to vanish into thin air. “Your rage blinds you, Icarus. Can you not see that what Salem is doing to the world is wrong? Is cruel?” Li questioned.

“Salem has brought more law and order to the world than the U.G.R could have ever dreamed of! Look around you, old man… step down from the peak and see. The Faunus no longer live-in fear of the Schnee Dust Company, the Crime Syndicates are no more! And the Grimm no longer act like wild animals and keep the peace!” Icarus called out.

“Perhaps, but the cost was far too great. Thousands died for this new world. This new world is built upon the bones of many.” Li stated as he walked through the fog.

“Sacrifices must be made for a better future. You of all people should understand that you killed my father and gave me this so then you could start your own family.” Icarus stated as he gestured to his jaw.

“Yes… and I have paid the price for my actions. And soon, so will Salem. But I will not let you take my son and daughter in law.” Li burst through the snow and swung his staff down the Mercenary’s head, and then proceeded to swing it upwards with immense force. Icarus grunted as the impact threw him up into the air and crashing back down against the snow. Icarus blasted his Wingsuit’s Thrusters, and shot forward, banking around one of the buildings before he caught Li by the neck with Undying Hatred, smashing him down against the floor before he threw him into the wall.

Li grunted but just as Icarus went to attack, Ren yanked him back with his grappling hook. Icarus snarled and he wrapped the cable around his arm, and then yanked the skilled Huntsman directly at him. He caught Ren by the throat and pummelled him down onto the ground. He turned as Nora rushed him and she threw Stormur Skeggox at him, but he batted it aside with his wing, yet she still jumped up and lightning crackled through Magni as she smashed it down into the ground with immense force. He stumbled backwards but then slashed his wings down her chest, cutting across her aura, before hooking the curved blades under her armpits and he lifted her off the floor, before jumping up and swinging his boot down into her gut, smashing her down against the ground.

Nora groaned from that one, he got her good. He clicked the triggers on Undying Rage, and red lightning coursed through the blades, a lethal combination of Fire and Electrical Dust, and he slashed across Li’s face, knocking him down to the ground. His aura flickered as he walked around him and went to behead him with one sudden attack. That’s when the screech of an eagle came from behind, he turned as the huge wings blocked out the sun.

It was Li’s Eagle – Harmony Gives Humble Mind.

The huge Altum Eagle slashed its talons across his chest and knocked him away from Icarus. The massive beast glided around the Monastery, and then landed atop the roof. It opened its wings and screeched to the sky. Li got up swiftly and pulled his staff up Icarus’ throat and threw him across the snow. He drove his wings into the ground to slow himself down. He stared at the three of them, Nora being helped back up by Ren. They saw Icarus’ eyes twitch as his semblance grew stronger and stronger, and his eyes were glowing red, shining brighter and brighter.

“I forgot how strong this bastard’s aura is.” Nora panted.

“We just need to get him to his limit.” Ren stated.

“The only issue is his semblance, the longer he fights the more enraged and stronger he becomes. He never tires, he just gets stronger and stronger, and fights more wildly.” Li explained.

“We just need to break his aura. Once his aura is down, we can finish him off.” Ren assured, remembering how it all went down last time.

Once his aura broke, and Nora broke his Wingsuit, the battle was over.

 

Ruby

 

The wall exploded as she collided straight through it, covered in dust and chunks of rock fell from her hair. Ruby groaned as she struggled to get back up, hearing the clopping hooves draw nearer and nearer. Her silver eyes turned as the massive monster emerged through the fog, two separate pairs of eyes glared at her, glowing red, one pair from the horse, and the other pair from above it. The beast growled as it cleared through the dust cloud, drooling from the mouth as it stared down at her, eyeing up the Relic of Knowledge.

Ruby didn’t know it… but it was the exact same Nuckelavee that destroyed Kuroyuri that night. Icarus must have always known where its home was for Salem to upgrade it, it was pretty easy to tell. Not only were the eyes glowing brighter than normal, like that Shifter and the Beowulf, but it had more plates of armour covering the body. Ruby turned as she saw the Praetorian Knight stood beside it, pointing the Sceptre in its hand at her. “Relinquish the Relic of Knowledge, Silver Eyed One… or perish.” The Knight threatened.

Ruby narrowed her eyes and she quickly got back up, spinning Black Thorn through her fingers. “You’re gonna pry her from my cold dead hands.” Ruby growled back at the massive Knight.

“So be it.” The Praetorian Knight replied, it suddenly launched towards her, swirling into multiple chunks of metal, colliding right into her. The impact knocked Ruby onto her back and the Praetorian Knight shifted back into its Knight Form, spinning its Sceptre through its fingers. Ruby turned as the Nuckelavee scraped its hoof through the cobblestone and snow, the Imp riding the monster screeched to the sky. So loud that Ruby had to cover her ears, then the Horse roared as well, charging towards her. Until someone fired their gun into its side, the beast turned to see two people stood there. The Imp roared and swung its stretching arm towards him, grabbing him in one and then holding onto his legs with the other. The man screamed in immense pain as the flesh and skin tore, bones snapped, and blood poured out. The man was ripped in half by the beast, then the Horse charged forward and clamped its bony jaws down onto the second gunman, shaking him around like a toy, splattering blood everywhere.

“No!” Ruby screamed in desperation as the Horse killed him, his blood smothered the Equine Grimm’s face, drooling from its teeth. It turned and stared at her, then charged to attack. Ruby dashed aside, using her Semblance to her advantage, then she closed her eyes and spun around, about to use her Silver Eyes, only for a beam of red energy to hit her in chest. The Praetorian Knight spun its Sceptre through his fingers after firing and walked towards her. It kicked her in the side before smacking the Sceptre across her cheek, knocking her against the floor.

“Relinquish the Relic!” The Praetorian Knight yelled as it held her above the floor, then threw her across the courtyard again. She tumbled and groaned, only for the hot breath of the Nuckelavee appear over her shoulder, and warm blood drooled down her cheek. The Imp grabbed her by the head and lifted her off the floor, staring right at her. Its jaw hung from sinewy black muscle, and it created horrible rasping groans. It slowly opened its jaws to devour her and Ruby squinted her eyes shut as she tried to get free.

Until a blinding green light erupted, garnering both the Knight’s at the Monster’s attention. The thick beam of light collided into the side of the Nuckelavee, the Grimm roared with pain as it was blasted down to the ground. It was not dead, but it was enough for the creature to release Ruby. She landed on the floor and Penny descended beside her, helping her back up. “Are you okay?” Penny worried.

“I’m fine… but Penny, we still have that Praetorian Knight.” Ruby warned, and the twelve-foot-tall entity sprinted towards them and went to skewer Ruby with its Sceptre. But that was when Cinder landed in front of them both and blasted a huge column of fire and wind directly into the Knight. The Praetorian Knight got forced back by the blast but started to spiral its huge Sceptre with telekinetic energy, blocking her strike.

Cinder ceased and stood her ground, glaring at the Knight. “I have not missed you ugly assholes.” Cinder stated as she watched the Praetorian Knight pace back and forth.

“Traitor.” The Praetorian Knight growled; Ruby got back up to her feet with Penny beside her. She turned as the Nuckelavee got back up, shaking off Penny’s attack, which definitely delt quite the blow to it.

“We can’t let that thing take Jinn.” Ruby said.

“Then let’s take it down.” Cinder said, her eyes igniting fiercely.

“Yeah… sure… why not? It only took an entire Academy to bring down one before… this one will be totally easy.” Ruby sarcastically scoffed.

“Go for its face, it’s the weak point.” Cinder reminded, and Ruby nodded her head, then she turned to the Nuckelavee. A normal one of them was deadly even to a full team of Huntresses and Huntsmen… but this one was different.

Older, and advanced.

This was going to be one tough fight.

The Nuckelavee grunted and roared, charging directly towards the Fall Maiden, who turned and flew directly at the monster. She threw her burning fist right into the Imp’s skull, creating a powerful shockwave. The Imp screeched in pain but then its long arm cracked around, catching her by the heel and slingshotting her towards the buildings, but Cinder blasted flames from her hands and feet to steady herself. She stared right back at the monster as she slowed herself down, then launched forward. The Horse reared backwards and kicked its from clawed hooves, roaring to the sky, before it charged directly at her once more. Cinder opened her palms and formed her Obsidian Axe, throwing it straight at the monster. The axe spun through the air but the Equus darted aside, quickly scaling across the cobblestone fence, before jumping over the next and bucking at her. The back two hooves clopped into her chest and threw her backwards. Cinder tumbled across the snow and she pressed her hand into the snow, staring back at the monster.

Saliva drooled from the Horse’s jaws, concocted with blood, and it shook its head before it rushed her once again. But the Nuckelavee jumped and slammed its heavy hooves down into the ground with immense force. The floor cracked and the beast reached its long hand out and grabbed onto Cinder, yanking her towards the Horse’s jaws. Only for Cinder to form two Obsidian Swords, and she sliced them clean through the arm of the creature. Black smoke and blood covered her, and she flew up into the air, her eye igniting with an amber flame. She could hear the screeching Imp below, crying out over the pain it felt from losing its hand. But she watched with disbelief.

“That’s new.” She softly said, watching the Imp start to regenerate its hand, black smoke constantly poured from the stump, but then the tar started to forge a brand new two-digit hand once again. The Nuckelavee roared up at her and immediately extended the arm back up at her, in which she reacted by blasting a bolt of lightning down from the sky at the beast. Dark clouds swirled above her head, flickering with forks of lightning. The Nuckelavee swiftly sprinted across the town, even breaking through one of the buildings at one point. The Horse slid across the cobblestone, with the Imp hanging lifelessly from its back, only when the Equine Grimm halted did it rise back up. It then showed its intelligence, by reaching out to parts of the house it smashed through and ripping chunks of wood and stone from the old structure and throwing it up at her.

Cinder hovered, quickly blowing up the pieces of debris thrown up towards her. The wood exploded and burned into embers around her, until it threw a piece of Rebar like a spear. She gasped, catching it in her hands, just stopping it from impaling her throat. She tossed it aside and formed a spear of ice that she threw down towards the Grimm. The Nuckelavee jumped out of its path before the Imp reached up and grabbed onto Cinder by the leg and pulled her down towards it.

A smirk drew across Cinder’s face as she formed an Obsidian Spear, referencing Milo whenever it was in Spear form. She waited until the perfect moment and burned herself free from the Grimm hand, and she landed behind the Imp. It screeched and tried to twist around to defend itself, but Cinder was faster, and she pulled the spear up its throat. The Imp barked with rage as it writhed violently despite Cinder choking it out with all her might, and the Horse began to buck wildly to try and get her off.

On the other side of the fight, the Praetorian Knight jumped up in the air and brought the huge Sceptre down to the ground with immense force, creating a powerful shockwave mixed with red electrical energy. Ruby rolled backwards, then drew Black Thorn, firing her dual Volcanic Pistols with deadly accuracy. The Praetorian Knight swiftly deflected the dust rounds that came flying towards it, then Penny charged up her laser, firing it directly at the entity.

It held the Sceptre up with one hand, catching the blade in the razor-sharp tip, refracting the laser across the Claim, killing a couple Grimm in the process, and burning through one of the empty Yurts. The Praetorian Knight’s cold, glowing red eyes, lacking all soul whatsoever, stared right back at Penny who kept firing, realising too late that the Praetorian was turning the laser back at her. It then fired it right back into her chest, the impact was so hard that it threw Penny backwards.

“Penny!” Ruby screamed, until she felt her throat get squeezed tighter and tighter by the Knight, lifting her high off the floor. The Knight reached towards the Lamp, but Ruby gritted her teeth, and a powerful blast of white light erupted from her large silver eyes. The Praetorian Knight roared with rage as it stumbled backwards, the floating metal rattled around, breaking apart and reforging over and over again. It slammed the Sceptre down against the ground as it stared back at her, then Ruby launched towards it. She slashed her Scythes down the huge Sceptre as it backed up, blocking her strikes with efficiency.

The Praetorian Knight thrusted forward to stab Ruby, but she launched herself forward and drove her hooked blade into its neck and rolled across its shoulder. She landed down behind it then shot multiple fire rounds into its back. But they had little to no effect whatsoever, it turned and stared directly into her eyes. The Praetorian Knight channelled dark energy through its body formed from floating pieces of metal and rock, and right into the head of its staff. It pushed forward, blasting the beam at her, but Ruby cartwheeled backwards, only for the Praetorian Knight to rush her again, slashing its Sceptre hard and fast. It pirouetted with it, scraping across Black Thorn’s blades, throwing golden sparks from the impact. Ruby kept backing up, but the Knight just continuously struck at her, so hard it started to break her stance.

Penny flew overhead and launched her many blades down towards it. Some of them just went straight through the plume of smoke trapped within it, but some did manage to get caught into the pieces of metal. Penny then wrapped her cables around her arm, and she flew up in the air, ripping the blades straight through its arm. The metal was thrown in many directions, yanked away by the pull of the Knight’s form.

Sometimes it was easy to forget these things were the final stage of a Geist’s Evolution. And their weakness was always the same – the face. Penny then flew right back at it and slashed Floating Array towards its face. The head was covered in armour like a knight, however, inside was still the head of a Geist, and it roared with anger at feeling the pain. It reacted by punching penny out of the air, then kicking her back up in the air before she hit the floor. It spun its Sceptre through its fingers as the metal returned, reforging the arm she destroyed, and it rested the Sceptre across one arm, using it to aim more accurately.

Crackling red lightly blasted from the Sceptre and collided into Penny’s chest, knocking her down to the floor. She tumbled across the snow, before driving her swords into the ground to slow herself down. She saw the Praetorian Knight pick up one of her swords and it snapped it with its heavy foot, only for it to crumble into dust.

Grave Dust.

Watts’ little upgrades he gave her after acquiring her body from Amity Arena were actually coming in handy now. A small smirk appeared on her face as the dust returned behind her, alongside cable which got retracted into her spine. She replaced it with a new sword, replacing the one it destroyed. Ruby and Penny both looked at each other and smiled, then they both rushed the Praetorian Knight at the exact same time.

It stood motionless as they got closer, before it quickly kicked Penny back, and spiralled around to stop Ruby’s advance with the blade of its Sceptre. She scraped Black Thorn down it, then she jumped up to attack its face, only for it to catch her by the throat and throw her into the floor, and suddenly spin the Sceptre so fast through telekinesis, that it stopped Penny’s second blast from hitting it. That was then it launched the spear towards her, and Penny slashed all her swords directly through the middle of the spear. But just like the Praetorian, it was forged from that ghastly smoke, and it shattered around her blades, and reforged on the other side.

Penny gasped, and it smashed into her chest and carried her off. Penny tumbled through the snow and her green aura flickered for a few moments. She had to be careful, she was already nearing the amber level. Penny watched as the Sceptre banked around, and went straight through one of the Yurts, travelling like a swarm of birds in the form of shards of metal and rock, before returning back into its original form in its master’s grasp. It stared her down as it stood there, then Ruby jumped up behind it and jammed Black Thorn straight into its eye.

The sound the Praetorian Knight created was unlike any cry they have ever heard, it was ear piercing, dark and demonic, and utterly nightmarish. It stumbled around as Ruby kept her scythe dug into its face as it started to panic. It grabbed her by the hair and threw her off it, Ruby transformed into a flurry of petals, which then returned to her human form, sliding across the floor with both weapons in hand. She stared at the Knight with a smirk.

The Praetorian Knight snarled, and black smoke poured out from the eye of the helmet, but it was still not down yet. It walked towards them and the body grew in size, just like the one they remembered back at Beacon.

Ice… we need to use ice dust to hold the body together so then it can’t shift…

The Praetorian Knight sprinted directly at her and drove the Sceptre down into the ground, blasting red lightning through the stone, and causing it to erupt all around them. Like volcanic springs, but Ruby transformed into Petals, and she flew to her girlfriend and grabbed her. Both red and orange petals flew up into the air, then they both reformed above the Knight. They both smiled at each other, ready to continue fighting it, and Penny blasted another beam down towards the Knight.

The body of the Praetorian Knight exploded outwards, the black smoke kept all the pieces together, causing the beam to just go through ghostly smoke instead. Once her beam ceased, the Knight collapsed back down into its humanoid form, and it spun the Sceptre around, firing it up at her. She dodged the incoming beam and proceeded to glide overhead whilst Ruby dove down towards it, slamming Black Thorn into the Sceptre with all her might.

 

Yang

 

The battle against the Knight and the Nuckelavee continued, but Yang and Taiyang had their hands full with Adam. He smirked as he stood before the two of them. “Like father, like daughter. Both fools who would rather do things the old-fashioned way.” Adam stated as he looked at their fists.

“Well, at least we don’t have to compensate for something.” Yang sneered, which Taiyang chuckled at. If they were not facing a highly lethal enemy, he would have given her a fist bump. Adam growled as he kept Wilt and Blush drawn, now Yang could actually see his full face, since he was no longer hiding behind his mask.

“Y’know… if it were anyone else? I’d feel sorry for you, looking at that gnarly mark on your face.” Yang hissed viciously, staring at the S.D.C branding over his eye. Adam growled as he gripped onto the hilt tighter.

“You’re gonna pay for what you did to my little girl, you son of a bitch.” Taiyang snarled, which made Adam laugh at his words.

“Your daughter wasn’t fast enough to beat me at Beacon, what makes you think she can fare any better this time?” Adam challenged as he pointed the sword at them both, still holding his Scabbard in the other, finger on the trigger.

“Wanna find out?” Yang challenged, that only made him smirk, spinning Wilt and Blush through his fingers.

“Oh… I know how this will end.” Adam promised, before suddenly lunging towards her. His hair shone red and so did his sword and coat. The slash turned the area black and red, and the boxes exploded into ash from the raw power collected inside of that blade. But this time, Yang blasted backwards, flipping through the air as she avoided the deadly attack that took her arm before. She glared down at him and fired both Ember Celica Gauntlets backwards, and she rode her recoil down towards him, and planted one powerful punch into the side of his head. Adam yelled in pain from the strike, staggering backwards, before Yang rushed forward to attack once again.

Adam swung around and smashed the Scabbard across her jaw, before kicking her in the chest, and swinging the sword up her chest. He jolted forward, sending shadowy energy clones of himself towards her, all of which cut the sword down her gauntlets. Sparks flew from each strike made, but just as he went to shotgun her in the face, Taiyang suddenly tackled him to the ground. He wrapped one arm around his throat and pummelled his head down into the stones, before throwing him up in the air, and roundhouse kicking him in the gut.

Adam landed and drove his sword down into the ground with gritted teeth as Father and Daughter charged towards him. Taiyang jumped to punch down at his head but Adam slashed up his chest and proceeded to slam his sword down towards her arm. Yang gasped as her cybernetic replacement stopped it, yet he still persisted with an insane grin carved across his face. He grinded the blade across the steel, still not painted, and he forced Yang down to her knees.

“Just like I expected… you haven’t changed one bit.” Adam scoffed.

“Wanna bet?” She yelled, suddenly flipping backwards and throwing both her feet up his jaw and landing on both. Yang fired Ember Celica directly at him, but he blocked the shots with his blade, and then store the damage into the Scabbard. He rushed forward and fired the blade from the Scabbard, and Yang crossed her arms together. It bounced off her metal gauntlets but returned back into his hand and he swung his boot down at her, then hacked at her with the sword repeatedly. But Yang quickly ducked and dodged his blows, returning the favour with equally fast blows with her fists. Yang swung her knee up into his gut, hunching him and allowing her to smash her metal fist downwards into his cheek, causing him to lose his footing and tumble across the floor.

Adam launched his Wilt and Blush forward, it spun through the air like a buzz saw, grinding against Yang’s arms, throwing golden sparks everywhere, then he fired his shotgun at her as the sword stabbed down into the ground. Yang rolled backwards as Adam ran forward, and yanked the sword out from the rocks, pirouetting around with both hands and driving the long red blade down towards her. The impact blasted a powerful arc of glowing red energy towards her, but Yang fired her shotguns to the side, using the recoil to easily slide across the slippery snow.

Yang pumped her fists and Ember Celica opened up, loading her missiles and she fired them towards him. Adam smirked sinisterly, and his body turned black and red as he moved so fast, he looked like a blur, dodging and slicing the missiles apart. They erupted into flames behind him, then jumped directly at her, swinging the sword towards her head. Only for Taiyang’s burning hands to catch it. Adam landed and stared right into his blue eyes, seeing the rage in them. His semblance made his hands like they were made from titanium, and they burned with his raging aura.

He pulled Adam forward and proceeded to uppercut him with enough force to throw the terrorist sky-high. He flipped through the air, then fired his shotgun up at the sky, copying Yang’s method of riding the recoil. He descended down towards them and smirked as he held his sword above his head. As he landed, his hooves cracked the ground around him, and the sword created a powerful pulse of crackling red energy. The blast threw them all back a couple steps, and he smirked at them, gritting his teeth together as he rose back up to his feet, walking forward.

“I really hate this asshole.” Taiyang snarled.

“The feeling’s mutual.” Yang assured, raising her fists in a boxing position. Adam paced around and Taiyang noticed his legs.

“I’m not the only one seeing that, right?” He asked her.

“Oh… I noticed.” She said, watching as the Grimm Hooves clopped across the floor as he walked. He paced back and forth as he waited for them to make their first move. Yet they were doing the same.

Nearby in the Monastery though…

Amber watched nervously from behind the crates, able to see Yang and Taiyang against Adam from here, and she shook for her sake. “It’s him…” She nervously stammered as she stared at him.

Blake sat there as she heard his voice, but also Yang’s.

“By the way… where is my darling?” He asked her.

“She’s not yours, she’s never been yours and she never will be.” Yang snarled.

“Heh… I’m surprised you give a damn, considering what she did to you. Don’t you realise that she is no better than me?” Adam asked her as he gestured to her totally different arm. “Yeah… I heard all about that fun story.”

“Then you heard it wrong. Blake didn’t have a choice, the only person at fault that night was me. I was the one who failed her… don’t you dare blame her for my mistakes. Just as you need to stop blaming her for yours.” Yang growled as she stared him down, and Blake could not get her words out of her mind.

As she heard them engage in combat once more… something came over her… a feeling she had not felt in a very long time.

That urge… to fight.

Her hand found the grip of Gambol Shroud and she followed the sound of combat between them.

I’m done hiding.

Yang rolled backwards as Adam stomped his Hoof down where her head just was, and then he fired the shotgun at her repeatedly, before bringing down the blade of his sword, narrowly missing her head as the powerful energy stored inside of it went for her. But Yang rolled backwards again, only just missing it, but just as she landed, he jumped forward and kicked her straight in the face. The impact of his hoof nearly knocked Yang unconscious, and she slid across the floor, growing in pain as everything became fuzzy.

Taiyang grabbed the snow and melted it down to boiling water, throwing it straight into Adam’s face. He barked in pain from the scolding hot water, then he kneed him in the chest and punched him repeatedly in the face. He grabbed Adam by the arm as he went to stab Taiyang through the chest and proceeded to slam his elbow down into his forearm, forcing him to release the sword. His other fist channelled pure aura into the knuckles and Taiyang roared with fury as his eyes shone brighter. He punched Adam in the chest so hard that he flew straight into one of the stable houses.

The wall exploded around him, and he tumbled past the horses that started to panic. Taiyang jumped inside and kicked Adam in the head, which shoved him into the wall, where Taiyang pinned him up against it by his throat. Adam snarled, not as effective without his sword, but not useless. He dropkicked Taiyang in the torso, the hooves hit hard, and he crashed against the wall, then Adam grabbed one of the hooks attached by a chain and he swung it towards him. Those hooks normally held Horseshoes that were cooling off after being forged. Taiyang ducked under the chained hook and proceeded grab the hay and set it on fire in his hand. One of the horses brayed in protest. “Sorry, boy! You can have some more later!” Taiyang promised, before he threw it into Adam’s face again.

It did… pretty much nothing, but it made Taiyang laugh.

So, he did something else, and turned to the bigger pile of hay and he drove his burning fist into it, setting the whole thing alight. The horses panicked and he let them free, one of them ran straight into Adam and knocked him over. The fire roared in the air and started to crawl towards Adam. He got up and spun through the air, his coat set alight and he swiftly removed it.

Adam punched Taiyang in the face, knocking him back and he went to kick him again, only for Tai to dodge him and grab onto his Grimm Leg, and with all his might he threw him back through the wall. He tumbled across the floor and just as he lifted his head, he met the fist of Yang Xiao Long. That punch was nearly enough to knock him out. His red aura flickered momentarily, meaning he was now in the amber, and as he fell, a smirk fell upon his face. Yang and Taiyang gasped, realising their mistake.

He landed right next to Wilt and Blush.

“Son of a bitch! Stop him!” Taiyang yelled as he rushed forward, and Adam grabbed the Scabbard first and shot him in the chest, blowing him off his feet. Then he grabbed onto the hilt of the sword and held it up with both hands as Yang jumped at him with her arm pulled back. Her fist clanged into the blade, but it shone red and he reflected the damage right back at her, blowing Yang up into the air.

He sheathed his blade and jumped up at her, cutting across her aura repeatedly, before he kicked her in the breast with both hooves. She crashed into the ground with immense force and she groaned in pain, holding her head. Her eyes turned red, but she whimpered. “No…” Fearfully, she let her eyes go back to lilac. “Not… not again…”

Flashing memories of when she last used her semblance returned, the glowing blue flames, and that unstoppable anger that was pulsing through her body? That was not a feeling she ever wanted to feel again.

Adam laughed as he landed behind her.

“I have to say I’m disappointed. I hoped you would be a better fighter after the ten years since we last met.” Adam chuckled as he stood over her.

“Y-You… talk too much.” Yang growled as she went to attack, only for Adam to kick her across the face.

She rolled onto her back and groaned, wincing in pain as she saw him stand above her with that cruel smirk on his face. He crouched down and tapped her metal arm with the sword. “Tell me… how did it feel? To be nothing? Worth nothing? To anyone?” He questioned her. She glared at him with hatred.

“Fuck you.” She snarled, spitting in his face, he flinched and wiped the saliva from his face. He chuckled and pointed at her with a smirk.

“Oh… oh… I can see why she liked you. A pity… because now I get to see how she will react when she sees your corpse… heh… so to speak.” He said as his hair glowed brighter and brighter, about to use Moonslice again.

“Yang!” Taiyang screamed and Adam went to drive the sword into her heart, only for Yang to gasp in horror.

Blake suddenly covered her vision, and the sword impaled right through her chest. She looked down at her, but she was lifeless. Then… she turned to ice, trapping Wilt and Blush inside of her icy body. Adam gasped and looked right at her as she launched right at him and slammed both her feet into his face. Adam barked in pain and tumbled across the ground, driving Wilt and Blush into the stones. He stared at her with disbelief as she stood tall, holding Gambol Shroud in her hands.

Her heart was racing, it was the first time she had ever fought someone in six years, and she never could master fighting without her eyes. But now she had to figure it out on the go.

I can hear him… I can hear his heartbeat… he’s terrified.

He was terrified of her even now… because she was no longer hiding. “Blake?” Yang gasped. “But… your eyes…”

“Don’t worry about that… we need to take him down.” Blake stated as Yang and Taiyang got back up. Adam laughed sinisterly.

“You tried… and look at how that turned out for you.” He stated as he swung the sword over the snow, cutting through and melting some of the flakes. “But okay then, my love… let us continue where left off.”

“I’m not your love. I never was.”

Chapter 16: Homecoming

Chapter Text

Ren

 

Icarus’ wings sliced through the snow as he flew over their heads, the sound of the afterburners in his jetpack echoed across the Summit as he dodged the grenades being fired up at him from Nora. Blinding pink explosions erupted around him as he dodged them, before diving directly down towards the three of them. The impact of his landing blasted them all backwards, his pupils were flushed with a glowing red light from his Semblance as it grew stronger and stronger.

He slashed Undying Hatred downward repeatedly at Li who backed up, deflecting each strike with his staff, before he rolled backwards, narrowly avoiding the sharp feathers of the wings as he spun around. Nora jumped forward and swung Magni up his mechanical jaw, fracturing parts of metal away from it, sparks erupted from within its glowing red lights, and he tumbled to the ground. His wings shielded his body as Nora threw Stormur Skeggox towards him, bouncing off the metal. Nora caught it as it rebounded back into her palm, she yelled defiantly as she jumped high in the air, her eyes lighting up pink as she channelled her power into her arms.

Suddenly Icarus blasted upwards towards her and grabbed Nora by the throat, the two of them hurtled through the sky together. Nora threw her fist into his face over and over again whilst Magni dangled from her wrist strap, using the Axe of Stormur Skeggox to hold onto him, hooking the blade onto the wing’s armature. Icarus dove downwards, staring straight into her eyes with that hatred in them. His wings them opened, stopping their descent into a hover in front of the face of the mountain and he proceeded to fly directly towards the face of the mountain, and he smashed her face into the side of it.

Nora’s pink aura flickered from that hard strike. “I came all this way to kill that old man… but now? Seeing you and his son? I think killing the two of you will be far more satisfying than cutting him down. I would love to watch that man rot away in his own grief.” Icarus laughed cruelly, Nora gritted her teeth and her eyes started to shine brighter and brighter.

“Fuck… YOU!” She roared, and she blasted a powerful beam of energy directly into his chest, which forced him away from her. She noticed his aura flicker in that moment as well, a fiery amber colour as he was thrown backwards. But Nora also began to fall, she looked up with wide eyes, unable to stop herself.

Until she saw Ren, diving through the clouds and aiming one of the Stormflower Pistols towards her, firing the grappling hook towards her. She reached out and it wrapped around her wrist, he then fired it back up as well, digging it into the side of one of the old buildings up there. Ren immediately began retracting the cable that Nora was dangling from and she immediately wrapped her arms around him with relief. “Don’t do that again…” Ren whimpered nervously, which made her chuckle.

“Well, I hardly planned on him grabbing me like that.” She giggled. Ren looked up and his eyes widened.

“No… Dad… he can’t handle Icarus on his own. We need to help him.” Ren said as he started to send them both back up to the top.

“I think… I have an idea of how to beat Icarus.” Nora revealed.

“How?” Ren asked her.

“Last time we had to take out one of his wings, but I don’t think that is an option anymore. I’ve tried damaging them with my axe but the metal alloy it’s made of is twice as strong. He’ll kill us before we even make a dent… but I noticed something in how he uses them when he’s grounded. He uses his arms to guide them.” She explained, and Ren thought back.

“You’re right… every single time he shields himself he always crosses his arms together or lifts one to move an individual wing.” Ren agreed.

“I managed to do a hefty amount of damage to him just then, it made his aura flicker. If you can restrain him long enough, I could take out his aura in one shot.” Nora explained, and Ren smirked.

“What would I do without you?” He chuckled.

“Oh, you’d be fine… just less stylish, though.” She teased.

The two of them landed back on the surface of the Summit’s Claim, looking ahead to see Icarus immediately going after Li once more. Li roared with rage as he slammed his staff down the side of his head, before slashing the sharp end of it up his chest. Icarus staggered backwards, before he lunged forward. The sclera in his eyes was now blackened and his pupils were glowing bright red. Red energy coursed through not only his Khopeshes but also the sharp feathers on his Mechanical Wings, and he cut across Li’s aura hard and fast with all four weapons. The Old Warrior’s aura flickered green for a few moments as Icarus repeatedly struck him, before swiping him off his feet and immediately slamming the curved blade down towards his face.

He was not saying a word anymore, just filled with an uncontrollable rage, reaching the very tipping point of his semblance. The only way to stop him now was to break his aura and end this berserk state that he was trapped in. Li held back the Khopesh as hard as he could with his staff, only for Ren to jump over Icarus and fired Stormflower down at him. As he landed behind the Archangel, he shot the blade forward and it wrapped around his arm and he yanked him backwards. Icarus staggered away from Li, but just as Ren went to make an attack, Icarus instantly booted him in the ribs.

The kick nearly knocked Ren off his feet, and he fell onto one knee as he slid backwards. Icarus roared ferally, launching one of his Undying Hatred Khopeshes towards him, but Ren rolled out of the way just in time. It dug into the ice, melting it from the sheer heat built up in it from the Fire and Electrical Dust Cannisters inside. Ren fired both his pistols at him, before he rushed forward and slashed the blades across his chest, only for Icarus to catch his forearm and yank him forward, directly into the feathers that slashed across his aura. Ren yelled in pain as he was thrown backwards, only to then be blown up by one of the grenades he threw towards him.

Ren tumbled across the ground and Icarus flew directly at him, hand reached out to grab him by the throat, until Nora slammed Stormur Skeggox downwards into his back, smashing him into the ground. She lifted her axe and just as Icarus went to attack her, she countered with Magni, nailing him up the chin. Nora helped him back up as Icarus took off once more, flying over them. He started to claw away at his head, it felt like he had bees buzzing around in his head and he let out a metallic scream of both rage and distress.

Li struggled to get back to his feet, his aura was most likely in the red at this point. Icarus flew downwards and Ren fired Stormflower up at the Archangel as he flew at him, then Ren fired his grappling hook and swung away from Undying Hatred’s curved blades. Icarus banked around one of the spiring summits, and ren landed on the side of one of the old buildings, firing Stormflower at him as he came back for a second attack.

Ren then jumped and shot his grappling hook towards him, which wrapped around his leg and Ren dropped, pulling Icarus down with him. He roared with rage as he came crashing back down to the ground. Ren safely slid down and charged towards him. He cut and slashed his bladed pistols across his aura, but then he started moving his arms just as Nora stated, using the wings to block his attacks. He slashed the feathers at him, but Ren slid underneath his legs, and he fired both the grappling hooks onto his wrists.

He pulled back with all his might, straining. He gritted his teeth and Icarus roared with rage through his mechanical jaw. “Nora!”

“Gotcha!” Nora laughed, spinning Stormur Skeggox through her fingers and squeezing the trigger of Magni, channelling lightning through her muscles. Her scars lit up bright pink, and so did her eyes. She screamed with immense power as the raw energy funnelled directly into the head of her axe, and she held it with both hands and aimed it forward. A powerful beam of pink energy erupted from the axe and collided into Icarus’ chest. He bellowed with rage and pain as his aura was eviscerated by the power of the Valkyrie’s might.

His aura crackled then shattered into embers. Nora ceased and Icarus dropped to one knee, and he panted as his semblance finally came to an end. He looked up at Nora as she approached, axe in hand. Then he laughed. “You think you’ve won? Oh no, Huntress. This will not end… we will continue to fight and fight until there are none of you left.” Icarus promised.

Nora held the blade of Stormur Skeggox to his neck, but he did not even flinch, he just stared right at her, not fearing death. “We’re done hiding from your Queen. Why don’t you fly off to tell her that?” Nora questioned, which made him laugh.

“Still unable to do whatever it takes? I thought you would have learned about the consequences of sparing your enemies… when you could have finished them.” Icarus stated.

Li weakly approached as his aura slowly started to regenerate. Then Icarus’ eyes glanced over to the battle between Ruby, Penny and Cinder against the Nuckelavee and the Praetorian Knight. “Uh oh… looks like they could use some help.” Icarus chuckled, Nora turned, and her eyes widened as she saw the Praetorian Knight smashed Ruby across the face with its Sceptre, knocking her off the floor.

Icarus sinisterly chuckled once more. His wings suddenly extended, and he flew directly into Nora and knocked her off her feet, disappearing into the clouds once more. “Shit! Where’d he go?” Nora stammered.

“His aura’s broken… he’s gone to recover. But be ready for anything. He could simply be licking his wounds.” Li warned, he then stared at the monster as it reared back and roared at Cinder.

The three of them stared at the monster, remembering it all too well.

“Time to make things right… for mom.” Ren stated.

Cinder flew over the Nuckelavee as the Imp swung its long arm up towards her and grabbed onto her heel and smashed her from building to building, colliding into the Monastery’s Pillars. It then roared as it threw her ahead, but she flipped through the air and blasted flames from her hands and feet, smirking as she launched herself right back at the monster. The Equine Grimm suddenly bucked and smashed both hooves into her face, knocking her out of the sky, and she crashed down onto the ground. Cinder groaned, pressing one hand against the new bruise on her head.

“Argh…” She groaned, suddenly feeling the hot breath of the Grimm over her shoulder. She turned and stared the beast directly in its glowing red eyes. “Oh fuck…” Cinder groaned, rolling her amber eye.

“Hello again.” The calm voice of Li Ren spoke, and the snarling beast stopped and stared directly at him. He stood before the Nuckelavee, Staff in hand as it looked away from Cinder. The Imp stared right back, recognising his face immediately. He pointed to his blinded eyes, and then to his mechanical arm. “Remember these?”

The Nuckelavee slammed its hooves into the ground, and both the Horse and the Imp bellowed with fury at him. He did not move as the Nuckelavee charged towards him, because Nora swung Magni directly into the side of its head. The impact blew the snow from the roofs, and the huge beast crashed into one of the yurts, crushing it beneath its huge body. It writhed around on the ground, and Ren landed beside them, helping Cinder up to her feet. “Thanks for the help.” Cinder said.

“Don’t mention it… besides… we have a grudge with this one.” Ren promised as he spun Stormflower through his fingers. Nora’s eyes crackled and Li glared at it. He might have been blind, but he could still see it, he could recognise it even now. The Nuckelavee righted itself, scraping its hooves through the snowy ground, and the Imp tilted its head. “Help Ruby and Penny, Cinder… we’ll handle this bastard.”

Cinder nodded, and she took off and flew to help battle the Praetorian Knight. “Remember… this thing is no different than the two Nuckelavees we fought back at Beacon. Same strategy as before… circle it and take out the arms first. Then take out the Imp.” Ren explained.

“I remember.” Nora assured as she spun both her weapons through her fingers. The Nuckelavee roared and it charged towards them, grunting and panting aggressively.

It jumped and slammed both its front hooves down into the ground, just missing them as they avoided its strike. The Horse reared back and both halves of the beast cried out to the sky with undying rage. The Imp stretched one of its long arms forward, aimed directly at Li, but he rolled aside and sliced the sharpened end of his staff across the black muscle. Thick black smoke and blood poured out from the open wound, but it was not enough to take off the arms. The Kuroyurian Nuckelavee charged directly at Ren and the Horse bit down at where he was, but Ren rolled out of the way just in time, firing Stormflower back at it as he slid across the snow.

Nora circled the monster, so did Li and Ren, running around the overwhelmed created, unable to pick a target to attack. The Imp looked from target to target and shattered the ground right where Nora was running. She continuously fired grenades from Stormur Skeggox in its Grenade Launcher form, and they exploded against its huge body. It hardly even reacts to the explosions if anything they were just frustrating the monster. The Nuckelavee slams its huge hand down at Nora but she rolls ahead, and Ren runs around it as well, firing Stormflower repeatedly into the body. The Nuckelavee swings around and grapples onto the barrels of both guns, staring directly at him.

Li charged up behind the creature and drove his Staff directly into the Horse’s rear leg, but it just grunted and turned its head. The Nuckelavee bucked and kicked him in the chest with both hooves. Li tumbled across the ground and groaned as he tried to get back up, his aura was still far too low to fight this creature. Icarus had done quite the number on him during their clash. But Nora shot up behind it, and with Stormur Skeggox transformed into its Axe form, she dug a deep gash into the same leg, opening up the flesh and causing a large plume of smoke to burst out from the glowing red innards.

That made the creature roar in pain, and it retreated, sliding across the snow, but still holding its ground. Ren and Nora paced around the creature whilst it did the same to them. It stared at Ren and it tilted its head curiously, and the Imp created a terrible roar as it extended its arms all the way, and spun around like it was a propellor, smacking him and Nora off their feet in one swing. The Imp hunched forward as the long arms retracted back to where they should normally be, and it held them over its chest as it started to transform.

The long-curved spines which protruded from its bad started to wobble as sickeningly loud cracking and crunching noises emerged from its body as it howled louder and louder. The spines grew larger from its back, and the ribcage split open. It continued to growl before throwing its head back and roaring so loud that the black webbing that connected its jaws together severed, and it created a shockwave from its ear-bleedingly loud roar.

On the opposite end of the fight, the Praetorian Knight was still easily holding its own, even against both Penny and Cinder. Ruby flew through the air in a flurry of rose petals, circling the Praetorian Knight as it refracted Penny’s laser across the sky, the Android hovered around the Knight, constantly moving quickly. The laser cut across one of the peaks, causing a small rockslide down the face of the mountain. Penny descended fast and she launched Floating Array into its chest, locking them in place, and she slammed both her feet into the Knight’s head. The blast of her thrusters broke apart some pieces of armour, and the Praetorian Knight snarled with rage as it spun the Sceptre around and slammed the blade down into the ground so hard that it created a powerful shockwave.

Penny used her swords to slow herself down, but the Praetorian Knight transformed into a swirling corkscrew of armour shards as it approached Penny. It reforged and its hand immediately grabbed Penny by the throat, and it pummelled her against the ground repeatedly. Penny cried out in pain, until Ruby came to the rescue and slashed Black Thorn across the Praetorian Knight’s face.

The impact was followed by a horrific holler of pain from the Ancient Geist, and it turned directly at Ruby. It held out its hand and the telekinetic power it wielded ripped rock from the ground, and it threw the chunk of rock at her. The massive boulder exploded in front of her, but Ruby just dodged it. She slid across the ground and fired her Volcanic Pistols repeatedly at the monster. But it kept shattering its body, opening the plates apart to just have black smoke inside, and the bullets were having no affect whatsoever. Until Cinder blasted ice down upon the entity, creating huge spiking structures of ice within its body which were holding the plates together. The Praetorian Knight was even struggling to move in this position, Cinder perfectly cast her ice in the places where it needed to be free to move.

The Praetorian Knight violently broke through the ice and blasted a powerful beam of red energy up towards Cinder. She gasped and dropped down to the ground, landing beside Ruby and Penny. She opened her hand and formed her Obsidian Axe, staring the Knight down as it paced back and forth. “Relinquish the Lamp.” The Praetorian Knight commanded.

“Lemme think about that… ah… no.” Ruby sarcastically replied, which made Cinder groan and roll her eye.

“We’ve gotta take this son of a bitch down.” Cinder stated as she stared it down, the Praetorian Knight glared right back at her.

The Praetorian Knight immediately fired another beam of red energy towards her, but Penny’s Floating Array blocked the impact, absorbing the damage. Then the three of them charged towards the monster. Cinder threw her Axe directly at it, but the Knight smashed it apart with one swing of the Sceptre and proceeded to punch her across the cheek. But Cinder flew up into the air afterwards and summoned storms above her head, crackling lightning came crashing down into the Praetorian Knight, and it was thrown back by the attack. Ruby shot forward and cut through its arm with Black Thorn, and she landed behind it, shooting it in the back of its Head.

Cracks were indeed beginning to form inside of its head, meaning they were making progress on it, but it was still gonna take more than this to bring the Knight down. It’s arm suddenly extended forward like the Nuckelavee, stretching forward with smoke and the pieces of metal were simply more spaced apart. It caught Ruby by the throat and pulled her closer and it immediately tried to take the Lamp from her hip. The curved blade of the sceptre tuck under the loop, but Penny punched it in the face as she blasted forward. “Get off her!” She yelled, but as the Praetorian Knight stumbled back, the Sceptre flicked upwards, and yanked the Relic of Knowledge directly off Ruby’s Keychain, and it bounced down the steps.

Ruby hadn’t even noticed yet.

Penny slammed herself into the Praetorian Knight, pinning it to the wall by the throat, she glared into its ghostly glowing red eyes, her teeth gritted together. But then the Praetorian Knight broke apart, and the cloud of floating pieces of metal passed straight through Penny and reforged behind her. It grabbed her by her long ginger hair, then it threw her down against the ground so hard the floor shattered. Cinder roared with fury as she blasted directly at it and buried her axe down into its shoulder, only narrowly missing its face, where she was aiming to hit it. The Praetorian Knight growled as it grabbed onto her arm and walked forward. Cinder flew backwards and smirked, using her magic to make the axe explode in a massive fireball.

The shoulder completely fragmented apart, causing the Praetorian to roar in pain, scorch marks burned across the side of the hidden Geist face within the armoured helmet. It twitched as it reconstructed its body, and they could see the glowing cracks begin to spread further and further across its back. Ruby fired shot after shot towards its face, but the Praetorian Knight blocked the bullets with its Sceptre, moving faster than light, before it ran forward, and snapped its neck back into position. It went to impale Ruby, but luckily, she rolled backwards, continuously shooting at it. Cinder floated around it and threw fireball after fireball at it, even blasting gusts of wind into its body as well to weaken its stance.

Ruby leapt ahead, and she drove her scythes into its shoulder, and she ripped off the arm in one hard strike, before flipping backwards and kicking the Geist up the jaw. The Praetorian Knight stumbled backwards, but then it turned to one of the old buildings and it held out its other hand, ripping off hundreds of tiles and it launched them towards Ruby. She gasped and flew through the air in a tornado of petals, but even at that speed she was unable to dodge them all. One of them hit her in the cheek and it threw her across the floor.

She looked in the reflection of the ice and she gasped, spotting the Praetorian Knight jumping high in the air above her and it was bringing the Sceptre down towards her head. She rolled aside just in time as it buried the Sceptre into the ground. Ruby immediately swung around and sliced her Scythes across the face of the creature. It roared in anger as the pain rushed through its body, but it then spun around and rested the Sceptre across its shoulders, aiming right at Ruby. It fired another bolt of energy which knocked Ruby backwards, and she hit one of the pieces of rubble from the battle.

On the other side, Ren, Nora and Li continued to battle the Nuckelavee. Li countered the incoming tentacle arm of the Imp, slashing through its hand with his Staff, yelling with rage at the monster as it jolted across the ground. It then thrusted the arm towards Ren and pinned him to the wall. He groaned in pain as the two-pronged fingers held him there, and he tried to pull free from its grasp. The Nuckelavee arched the other arm up, preparing to skewer him with its bent claws. Nora screamed as she leapt off one of the buildings and she slammed Stormur Skeggox down where the head of the Horse just was, only narrowly missing it.

She then threw it, and the thrusters on the back of the axe blasted, making it spin around. She threw it over and over, cutting through the flesh of the beast, and it even orbited around her, spinning like a sawblade. Multiple Beowulves tried to attack her whilst she threw it, but they were all cut apart by the axe. As it returned to her hand, she spun it through her fingers and channelled her semblance into that and Magni, jumping up in the air and slamming both down into the ground.

The pink explosion slammed the beast up against the wall and it roared in pain, releasing Ren, and he fell onto the small roof beside the beast. He pushed his hand through his long hair and groaned, turning to see what fell from his sheath…

… his father’s Dagger.

Li rolled back and forth, despite his lack of sight he was easily evading the attacks of the titan, and he was even dealing a fair bit of damage to it. He ducked under its long arm and proceeded to punch the Horse across the jaw with his cybernetic fist. The Horse barked in pain, before snapping its bony jaws at him repeatedly.

Ren stood up and looked at Nora. “Nora! I have a plan to take out the Imp! Try to take out the Horse!” He called out and Nora smiled, nodding her head. She threw Magni into the side of the Horse’s head and the impact caused it to stumble against the building that Ren is on. The Imp screeched as it’s limp body crashed against the flat surface he was on. The sudden impact threw Ren back and he reached out and caught the Dagger before it could slide off the roof. “This better work!” He strained as he got back up, and Nora shot three Grenades into the horse which made it rear back and howl to the sky.

Ren sprinted towards the Imp and he jumped at it, yelling with vengeance as he grabbed onto the humanoid creature bound to the Horse. Before he grabbed it, the Imp was screeching and turned to stare at him. Ren held onto its curved horns on its head with one hand, and with the other, he unleashed a berserk scream as he drove the Knife into the throat of the Imp. It started to shriek in immense pain, a howl so loud that it was blowing his long hair back.

It began to writhe around erratically, and Ren was holding on for dear life, because the Horse was also beginning to buck wildly as well. Nora jumped forward with her Grenade Launcher, but the Horse clamped its jaws down onto both the arm and the Grenade Launcher. “Nora!” Li screamed, sensing her pain as she cried out, but her aura was keeping her safe.

Ren grappled onto its head as hard as he could, twisting it as the creature continued to fight him, and he started to saw away at its face, and the long arms started to smash through buildings as it panicked from the pain. Ren screamed with fury in the screeching monster’s face as he got closer and closer to finishing it off.

“FOR MY MOTHER!” He roared, and he cut clean through its thin neck, silencing the Imp, and he was thrown from the back of the Horse. As soon as Nora saw Ren was safe from the Nuckelavee Horse, she gritted her teeth, and her finger found the trigger of the Grenade Launcher. She stared at the Horse’s face and she scowled.

“SHUT THE HELL UP!” She yelled, and fired, creating a huge pink explosion, and the entire skull of the Horse blew apart. The Horse recoiled backwards, and stumbled back and forth, with barely a full head left, gallons of black blood poured from what remained, and it collapsed to the ground with one last demonic groan.

Ren landed onto the ground, with the Imp’s head still in his grasp, held by the curved horn. He looked at his father as he approached and they both smiled.

“For Kuroyuri… and for An…” Li proudly said, and Ren released the Imp’s head, letting it crash to the floor, and it crumbled away into ashes and smoke. As did the corpse of the Horse, forming into nothing more but a tall pillar of thick black smoke.

He approached Nora and helped her up. “Are you okay?” He nervously asked her, she smiled though.

“I’ve always wanted to do that.” She giggled, which just made him smile and he kissed her, embracing her in a warm hug.

At last… the Kuroyurian Nuckelavee was no more.

Ruby groaned and her hand felt where the Lamp should have been… and her eyes widened.

Where is it?

She frantically looked around whilst Penny and Cinder battled against the Praetorian Knight. And she spotted it, laid in the middle of the battlefield…

… next to Adam…

 

Yang

 

He slammed Wilt and Blush down against Gambol Shroud, she gasped and held it up when she heard the blade hum as it swung through the air. Sparks bounced away from the two sharp blades which collided together, and he smirked as he forced her down to one knee. “You’re weaker than I remember… you really are a coward, aren’t you? Constantly hiding, running away? It’s all you do!” Adam laughed, but she gritted her teeth, and suddenly lit aflame. His eyes widened as her shadow exploded, and the shockwave threw him backwards. He tumbled across the ground, grunting as he drove his sword down into the ground to stop himself from sliding any further.

“I’m done running.” Blake assured as she stood before him, her long black ribbon tied around her eyes gently fluttered in the wind. Yang and Taiyang stood with her, and the Blonde Brawler looked at her Former Partner.

“Blake?” Yang softly said.

“Don’t worry about me. Let him focus on me, just take him down.” Blake told them as she gripped her sword tighter.

“Oh crap.” Taiyang gasped because he saw what Adam was staring at.

The Relic of Knowledge…

It was right next to Adam, within arm’s reach, he could grab it right now and run. Why wasn’t he?

Why won’t he just take it, he could easily grab it right now and escape?

They watched him as he stared directly at it, then his grip on the hilt of his sword tightened, and a disturbing grin grew across his face. That was when his hair suddenly shone red and he roared, slashing Wilt and Blush towards them and firing an arc of red energy directly towards them. Yang immediately pushed Blake out of the way and Taiyang crossed his arms together, focusing his aura and taking the hit. He grunted as the impact sent him tumbling, and his aura flickered yellow. He growled with frustration as he immediately got back up, and saw Adam sprinting away from the Relic and right towards Blake.

Even after his punishment… he hadn’t learned a thing…

He jumped towards Blake and she stared at where she heard him, only for Yang to appear between them and she caught the sword in her metal hand. She stared up at him with anger in her eyes, but they were not glowing red yet. She kept refusing to use her semblance, for fear of going too far once again. She pulled him down and proceeded to punch him in the side of the head so hard that it threw him away from Blake. Yang pumped her fists, which loaded Ember Celica and she fired at Adam repeatedly. “Get away from her!” Yang yelled, but Adam was just smirking maniacally as he blocked each bullet, absorbing the damage and running towards her once more.

Taiyang rushed forward but Adam slid to a stop, swinging around and roundhouse kicking him across the face with his hoof. Even with his aura up, that strike made him stumble a bit, even dazed him for a few moments. Adam cut down his back and fired his shotgun into his chest as Taiyang staggered ahead. He fell to the floor and growled, gritting his teeth. Yang stayed in front of Blake. “Yang! Stop trying to protect me!” Blake yelled, and she aimed shakily in his direction and fired the gun, but due to her having no real training in fighting blind, all her shots missed.

“I don’t want you to get hurt! I failed you once and look what happened to you! I am not gonna do that again.” Yang promised, and she blasted towards Adam. He smirked as she sheathed his sword and prepared to swing it across her arm like he did last time. But just as he swung the sword, she blasted up into the air, then blasted back down, slamming her metal fist down into the ground. The explosive impact launched Adam up into the air, and she caught him by his Grimm Leg, and smashed him into the ground.

As he got up, Yang punched him in the face, and then she stood over him. She threw punch after punch into his face and her eyes started to flicker red. He grunted from each punch that she sent, but he smirked as he saw her anger grow, then he grabbed onto her hair and pulled her down towards him. He smashed his head into hers, so hard her vision went blurry, and she stumbled away from him. He laughed and then cut across Yang’s chest with one hard blow.

“The two of you are both the same. Both cowards who ran from their duty, who didn’t have the steel to do whatever it took to get the job done. Nothing more than just two weak fools, playing at being heroes.” Adam stated as he pointed the tip of his sword at Yang on the ground.

“Yeah? And what does that make you?” Yang questioned. “You’re the one who joined a monster… and for what? To get back at someone who did nothing to you? Nothing except go her own way? Blake just wanted to live her life, and that was not what you wanted. You wanted her to be like you… and you could never accept she was different, could you? So who’s the real coward here?” Yang questioned, Adam gritted his teeth with anger, and he went to cut her throat, but Gambol Shroud suddenly flew it and perfectly wrapped around his arm.

He gritted his teeth and stared at her; she was facing directly at him with gritted teeth. “That’s enough!” She yelled, and she yanked him forward, giving Yang the opportunity to shoot upwards and punch the Bull Faunus up his chin. He barked in pain and crashed to one knee. Blake sprinted towards him and she jumped, kicking him in the side of the head with both feet and nailing the landing. She could hear his heartbeat, and it was going erratically fast. She drew her Katana and Sheath, proceeding to slice across his red aura repeatedly, spinning through the air, and then driving the sword down at him.

Adam raised Wilt and Blush, stopping her sword with his red blade, and then smirked, shooting her in the gut with the shotgun. She yelped in pain, blown backwards from the impact. She looked around desperately as she tried to listen for him, and she could hear the clopping of his hooves grow closer and closer. He cut down across her chest, and then shot at her head, but she vanished into an illusion. Every single time those things fooled him, and it always angered him every time he made the mistake.

Blake rushed forward, pirouetting and cutting diagonally on Adam, and she proceeded to flip backwards, kicking him up the jaw. As he stumbled, she threw her grappling hook and pulled herself forward, kicking him in the chest. He dropped and she rolled across the floor behind him, landing on both feet. Even blind, she could still fight, but even after that impressive display, she knew she was still not good enough.

Adam glared at her and his hair and clothes started to glow red, and he jumped up in the air with a berserk roar, and he drove the sword down into the ground, blasting red fire forward. She gasped as she heard it coming, and it collided directly into her. She stumbled, pushed back by the attack, and he sprinted at her once more, smashing the shotgun sheath down the top of her head, and slicing up her chest so hard it sent her up in the air. He threw his sword up at her and it spun like a saw blade, slicing her aura apart, and as it returned, he spun the sheath through his fingers and shot her.

As she crashed to the ground, her purple aura flickered once more, growing weaker and weaker. She groaned in pain as she tried to get back up, only to feel his cold Hoof press against her cheek. She cried out in pain as he leant down, staring at her. “It’s a shame… I always liked your eyes. One of the only things about you that was true. But finally… I will get what I deserve.” He said as he held the sword over her head, ready to kill her, until he looked forward and saw Yang gritting her teeth.

The snow began to melt and evaporate around her, her eyes flushed with red hatred and her blonde hair ignited. As the fire burned, the brown dye she hair in her hair completely burned away, revealing that beautiful gold once more. The flames did not go blue, she managed to hold that side of her semblance back… but it was enough. “I said… GET THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER!” Yang roared; Adam chuckled.

“When will you learn?” Adam laughed, preparing to cut her down like last time, until his eyes widened.

Where’s my sword?

He looked down and saw Blake was gone, with Wilt and Blush in her hand, and she threw it aside. His eyes widened even more, and Yang roared with fury as she blasted towards him. The ground exploded behind her and she arched her cybernetic fist all the way back and pummelled him across the jaw. The impact blew the snow off the rooftops, and his aura instantly burst, and his body was thrown multiple yards, sliding across the ice before coming to a stop.

Taiyang stood beside Yang as she panted, her aura pulsing and crackling, before it broke and ebbed away. Adam feebly got back up, seeing his sword on the floor and he ran to it, grabbing it, and Taiyang gritted his teeth, ready to put him down. Adam stared back, snarling with anger in his eyes.

“This isn’t over! I will never stop until I get what I deserve!” Adam yelled as he took off running, unaware that Icarus saw every second of what just transpired.

Not just his cowardice… but the fact he still, even now, chose his personal vendetta over his objective.

Icarus was not about to forget that.

“Yang? Are you… argh… okay?” Blake stammered, looking around as she tried to find her voice.

“I’m okay.” Yang softly assured, exhausted after using her semblance again after so long. She was shaking, but not from the cold.

“Hey… you controlled it. It’s okay.” Taiyang assured as he held her.

“Y…Yeah… I did…”

Blake approached and Yang smiled as he looked at her, she was smiling back but she looked worse for wear. “I, I think I’m gonna have to work on my fighting again.”

“Considering your condition? You fought pretty damn well.” Taiyang chuckled.

“I need to be better… I can’t always rely on others to save me when I screw up.” Blake said. Then Blake’s ears flicked up, she could hear the whispers of the Relic of Knowledge… and people running to grab it. But there was something else… something much, much worse.

“Oh no…”

“What is it?” Taiyang asked her, the three of them turned and his eyes widened too. “Oh fuck…”

It was the Praetorian Knight.

It knew where the Relic was.

And it was headed straight for it.

 

Ensemble Battle

 

Oscar launched Thunderous Deception forward with a defiant yell, splattering the skull of a Beowulf against a wall with the hammer. He rolled to the side as Manticore blasted a fireball down towards him, and he shot the chain up towards the creature, causing it to wrap around its leg. The Manticore looked at him and roared, only for him to yank it down with all his might. As it came crashing down, he jumped up and swung the second chained hammer downwards as it was within range, crushing it against the ground.

He retracted his weapons and looked around, seeing Eryka, Winter and Weiss holding the front of the Gate together. Weiss spun Myrtenaster around as she conjured multiple Glyphs behind her, firing icicles like machine gun bullets towards the horde of Creeps that were bursting from the snow. They roared but were quickly vanquished by her attacks. She turned around and drove her sword into the ground, forming huge spikes of ice that impaled the Beowulves that jumped towards her. Their lifeless corpses crumbled into thin air, then Weiss kept her sword held up as the Grimm continued to charge up the path towards them.

She lifted her head as she heard Dulcis gliding overhead, but he was not alone. Harmony Gives Humble Mind was beside him, with many other huge Altum Eagles, all of which were helping defend their home. Harmony Gives Humble Mind screeched as she descended and grabbed a Sabyr with her razor-sharp talons, carrying the beast off. It then dropped off the edge of the mountain, disappearing into the clouds beneath.

Eryka aimed her Bow and released the string and whistled to Dulcis, and she fired her arrow. He descended and grabbed onto it with his talons, the arrowhead lit up and so did his magnificent aura. Massive golden flames erupted from within, taking the form of a Phoenix, he screeched across the sky as he soared over the Grimm, burning their bodies to ashes as he flew over. Other Summit’s Claim Warriors did the same, firing similar arrows to their Bonded Eagles, and they had a very similar trick, Phoenixes flew everywhere, destroying every single Grimm in their path.

There was a reason none had brought down the Summit’s Claim, the Altum Eagles truly were their greatest weapon.

Weiss turned and she ducked as an Ursa took a swipe at her, proceeded to stab it in the torso repeatedly with impressive speed, before casting glyphs that shot her right through the beast, killing it instantly. She turned to see Winter bouncing off her many Glyphs she also conjured, chopping up the Grimm within her path, leaving no trace of them behind her. She landed, sliding across the snow then held her sword forward, commanding hundreds of small Nevermores she summoned to tear the Grimm apart.

Weiss and Winter smiled and stood back-to-back, holding off the Grimm together.

Oscar smiled as he saw them together again, but he turned when he heard the footfalls of the Praetorian Knight. The Summit’s Claim Warriors ran to the Lamp, around ten of them, and one picked it up. But they turned as they heard it approach the steps.

It held Ruby by the throat, she punched at its arm desperately to break free, but her efforts had no effect. Without even a second look, the Praetorian Knight threw Ruby across the floor, flickering her aura. It then forged its Sceptre and spun it through its fingers as it walked towards the Relic. The Ten Warriors charged at the entity to defend the Relic, but the Praetorian Knight was far beyond anything they had ever faced before. The first person jumped with their sword, only to be skewered by the Sceptre, and then it spun around on the spot, swinging its Sceptre to fast that the dead warrior was thrown far. It then proceeded to bring its fist down the top of one warrior’s skull, ending his life instantly.

It blasted a beam of red magical energy from the tip of the Sceptre, cutting one warrior clean in two, then proceeding to behead the next, and grabbing another by the throat and crushing her windpipe with ease. Two brave men rushed it and swung their swords, only for it to expand, becoming nothing but smoke and plates too far apart to hit, and it formed behind them, driving the Sceptre through one’s back, and sweeping the legs of the other. As he crashed down to the floor, it threw the dead warrior of the blade, and drove the Sceptre through the downed one’s ribs.

With only four remaining, the Praetorian Knight caught the sword of one, snapping it in two, before lifting the warrior off the floor and grabbing her by the head, crushing her skull into the ground, and ripping the Sceptre from the dead body, throwing the huge weapon directly into the sternum of another woman, pinning her to the wall. The last defender of the Relic Holder fired his gun at the entity as it approached, holding out its hand to the Sceptre, which sent it flying right through his body, killing him instantly.

The last fired her gun over and over again at the Praetorian Knight as it walked towards her, only to be stabbed through the heart like the other, lifted high off the ground, and it blasted the red beam of magic through her body, killing her. It looked emotionlessly at the Relic, taking it from her hand as her corpse slumped off the blade. It turned to leave, only for the body to suddenly freeze in place.

It snarled with anger, feeling the polarity holding it still.

Pyrrha held out her hand, turning to everyone else. “Go! Now!” She yelled from the Monastery, holding the Broken Crocea Mors in her other hand. Still keeping the Non-Combatants and Children safe from the Grimm like she promised she wound. A Beowulf ran towards her, and whilst still holding the Praetorian Knight in place, she rammed the broken sword straight into its mouth, silencing it.

Ruby got up and she charged towards the Praetorian Knight, shooting forward in a flurry of Rose Petals, throwing herself at the Relic so hard its arm of floating metal shattered like glass. It recoiled to the side with a furious roar, eyes glowing bright red. That was when Penny fired her beam of Green Energy straight into its chest. It continued to walk forward despite the searing heat into its body, pushing it against the snow, melting it beneath its feet. Red Energy started to channel through its Sceptre into the blade and Penny gasped as she flew out of the way, just in time.

The Praetorian Knight fired at her and the beam carved straight through one of the roofs of the old buildings. Ruby held onto the Lamp, staying back whilst Nora charged forward. She threw Stormur Skeggox into the shoulder of the Knight then called it right back, then just as it returned to her palm, she jumped and flipped through the air, throwing Magni directly into its face. Plates of metal snapped off the Geist Face hidden within, and it growled with rage as they all continuously attacked it.

Ren swung through the air and planted both feet into the side of its head as well, then Cinder hovered above, and she formed razor sharp hail from the air and launched the storm down upon the entity. It spun its Sceptre through its fingers, breaking the icicles before they could even get close, before channelling more energy into the Sceptre, and it struck it down into the ground, creating a powerful shockwave that knocked them all off their feet. It stared at Ruby and approached, only for Thunderous Deception to clatter into the back of its head.

It turned as Oscar walked forward, and he spun his two chained hammers around, building up the momentum. The Praetorian Knight charged forward, and the Bandit jumped upwards, smashing the hammer right up its jaw. The Praetorian Knight flew backwards, breaking apart and reforming just before hitting the ground. Oscar went to charge forward, but then the Praetorian Knight fired a quick blast from its Sceptre, knocking Oscar against a wall momentarily.

Cinder flew directly into the Knight’s side and it barked with rage as she forced it against the building, her amber eye burning viciously as she stared it down. But the Praetorian Knight even started to overpower her and kicked her in the chest. Everyone rushed towards it to attack at once, but then all the pieces of floating metal started to vibrate. Ruby’s eyes widened, remembering what the last one did, but it was too late to escape it now.

The entire body exploded, throwing chunks of metal into them all, so hard it dazed them. Ruby groaned as she watched all the armour return to the Geist floating within. It held its Sceptre tight and stared down at her, and just as it pointed the blade at her.

A Crossbow Bolt collided into its shoulder, and it flashed red.

The bolt exploded, shattering the shoulder and destroying the arm completely, it staggered to the left and Ruby turned in the direction the bolt came from. And she saw her… and she couldn’t believe her eyes.

Robyn Hill.

She kept her arm raised, smirking as May, Fiona and Joanna stood by her side. “Alright girls, let show these bastards our teeth.” She said with a confident smirk, and the four of them all charged into the fight. As its arm started to reconstruct itself, Joanna jumped towards it and threw her fist directly into the face of the Knight. It stumbled back and May slid between its legs, slamming her Crossbow Staff through its right kneecap, bringing it down. It fell to its knee but still continued to fight, grabbing Joanna as she went to punch it and throwing her away. May went invisible, winking just before she vanished, and its leg started to return.

The Sceptre and Arm grew back, and it immediately blocked Fiona’s strike, staring her right in the eyes as she jumped for it. She flipped backwards, elegantly, and once she had a good shot, she fired her crossbow at its face, only being stopped by its Sceptre.

Outside the walls, Eryka charged ahead, and she dropped to the ground, sliding under a leaping Beowulf, and she drove her Shortsword – Slice ‘N Dice – straight through its stomach, cutting it clean in two, and she then drew Constantine Damascus, firing three Arrows which killed three Sabyrs in one shot. She smirked as Dulcis circled around her, slashing his talons through the face of a Sabyr that was about to attack her from behind, and Eryka rolled aside to dodge the fireball from a Manticore that landed in front of her. She transformed the Bow into Shotgun Form, blowing its skull apart.

The Schnees were holding the line, and the Arma Gigas formed ahead of Weiss, charging forward and cutting down Grimm after Grimm. It looked up and threw its sword up towards a Nevermore, impaling it. Weiss ceased her Summon and spun around, driving the pointed sword through the eyeball of a Boarbatusk. Behind her, Winter continuously cut the Grimm apart with her dual swords, all the while her Glyphs were repeatedly acting like turrets, blasting fireballs down the path at the Grimm that were still coming.

But their numbers were thinning out.

The three of them were making short work of them, alongside the help of the Marksman on the Front Walls. Sashaa fired shot after shot, hitting every Grimm she spotted. She looked back at the Praetorian Knight within the walls.

By the looks of it, the Knight was the last thing standing inside.

And even with the surprise help of the Happy Huntresses, it was still putting up one hell of a fight.

Robyn jumped off the wall and fired another bolt towards the Knight, but it deflected it with the Sceptre. They charged towards one another, but she slammed her fan blades against its Sceptre, staggering it. She then jumped and kicked off its chest, allowing Cinder the chance to take its head off in one swing with her axe. The Knight turned and smashed Cinder out of the sky, sending her crashing into the snow. Ruby flew up into the air, firing her Volcanic Pistols down at the Knight, but each shot rebounded off the Sceptre. It then rested the Sceptre over its forearm and fired another beam towards Ruby, she gasped and dashed away, petals falling where she travelled.

Cinder immediately got back up, then she and Nora both went for the Knight, and Cinder blasted a column of ice from her hand, focusing it onto the arm that held the Sceptre. The ice spiked and held the plates together, then Nora hacked it off with a hard blow from Stormur Skeggox. As Nora landed, she then directed all the power of the axe into the head, firing it towards its face. But the Knight held out its hand, using that to keep itself protected. That was when Joanna returned with a defiant roar, swinging her Staff straight through its leg again, bringing it down to one knee. “Now! Break it apart before it can regenerate!” Ruby called out.

Oscar jumped over the Knight as it fell, launching the chained hammer down towards its other arm and he pulled back as hard as he could. The plates stretched out but the smoke that held it together was weakening. “Look out!” Ruby called out, slicing straight through the arm with both Black Thorn Scythes. Then as it fell, they saw the Polarity holding it in place again, Pyrrha gritted her teeth as she held it down.

“Now! Take it out!” Pyrrha called out, Ruby turned to Cinder and she nodded. Ruby flew to the Fall Maiden and as soon as Cinder had her, they both flew high up in the air, then Ruby blasted off Cinder. She dove down and spiralled towards the Praetorian Knight.

And with both Scythes, she drove them straight through the roaring Praetorian Knight’s skull. The Knight unleashed one final howl of fury as the cracks in the possessed metal grow brighter and brighter, before the Geist Mask within shatters… and the black smoke vanishes with a bright red flash.

And finally… all the pieces of metal dropped to the ground.

Ruby landed before it’s corpse as the smoke left, looking up with relief. “I think… that’s the first one we’ve actually killed. The last one killed itself if I remember right.” Ruby chuckled, she turned to see Pyrrha fall to one knee, pressing her hand to her head. “Pyrrha? Are you okay?”

“Yeah… just… tired. Holding that thing down was hard, it fought like hell.” Pyrrha explained as she rubbed her tired eyes.

“Huh… so it is true…” Robyn said with disbelief as she stared at Pyrrha Nikos. “The Invincible Girl… guess your name really had some merit.”

Pyrrha just looked away.

Ruby stood up with wide eyes. “Veronica?”

“Oh yeah… that… yeah, that’s not my real name. Allow me to make it formal – my name is Robyn Hill. And these are my friends: Fiona, May and Joanna.”

“Robyn Hill? I thought you were dead.” Blake gasped as she walked over, Robyn couldn’t help but gasp when she saw the state of her. Her eyes…

“Blake… I’m so sorry.” Robyn sighed sadly.

“What are you doing here? How did you find us?” Ruby asked. Robyn turned her gaze to Penny who was looking at her with equal curiosity. She pointed at the Android.

“She is why we’re here.” Robyn stated, and Ruby immediately stood beside her, ready to protect her if she had to.

“Why?” Ruby harshly questioned.

“Because I know how to get that virus out of her, and how we can also take Killian down in the process.” Robyn revealed.

That got their attention.

 

Ruby

 

After the Summit’s Claim was secured, and an hour of catching up followed…

“Okay… so if we get Penny to her Dad in Vale… he could get the virus out of her?” Ruby asked now that Robyn had filled them in on everything.

“That’s right, and then he can… basically hack the hack. He could use the virus to uncover the lost original footage from the Foundations of Sovereignty.” Robyn explained. “The footage that was altered to pose all of you as the bad guys.”

They were sat in the Hall of the Monastery; Amber was sat beside Cinder. Everything was calm now that the Grimm had fizzled out. Once the Praetorian Knight was killed, the Grimm ran with their commander dead.

One down… twelve more to go.

“And you plan to use that footage to show the world that Killian really did it? That… it was all a lie?” Yang asked her.

“Exactly. Now believe me, I know how the world works. It won’t matter if I show this footage whilst Salem is still in command. This won’t change anything, but if we can kill her first, kill all her followers? And then show it? We can prove to the world that the person they saw as their hero was actually only doing things for his own gain. It will turn them against what once was.” Robyn explained.

“Or could start a war.” Cinder added, Robyn glanced at her.

“I know you…” Robyn began. “You’re Cinder Fall… the one who caused the Attack on Beacon.”

“I don’t do that kind of thing anymore.”

“I gathered that; from the fact you were helping us out there.”

Pyrrha was sat on a bean bag as the conversation continued, looking at the sword in her hands. She glanced up, seeing the Brother of Darkness stood in the doorway, staring directly at her. Despite lacking an actual face… he always seemed to send a cold chill down her spine.

Penny stood up. “Let’s… stay on topic. How do you know my dad can get what Watts put in my head… out of me?”

“Pietro and Watts worked together, a very long time ago. Watts learned a lot of things from your old man, kiddo.” May explained.

“If anyone knows how to undo what he did to you, and how to pick the Black Queen apart, it would be him. We just need to get you there.” Robyn explained. But as she sat there, she felt her scroll vibrate, she stood up and pulled it out, revealing a message. “Hello…”

“What is it?” Joanna asked.

“Dutch…” She answered.

“Dutch? Killian’s right-hand man?” Eryka questioned with wide eyes.

“Yes, but believe me he can be trusted. He saved our asses when Killian and the others slaughtered the U.G.R.” Robyn assured.

“What’s he got?” Fiona inquired.

“I dunno, he just wants us to meet, soon… damn… but he wants us to meet at Higanbana. We need to get Penny to Vale.”

As they discussed their next course of action, Ruby started to think, closing her eyes and remembering some things. She looked at the Relic of Knowledge sat next to her… and she couldn’t help but remember the vision. The castle.

“Vale…” She gasped.

“What?” Robyn asked, then Ruby stood up, turning to them all.

“Before the attack, we used the Relic of Knowledge. We asked Jinn where we could find the Relic of Creation. She showed us a Castle, and it was in Vale, I saw the ruins of Beacon in the vision. Wherever that castle is, it is somewhere in Vale.” Ruby explained.

“What are you thinking?” Yang asked her sister.

“That we kill two birds with one stone. Go for the Relic and get Penny to Pietro on the way.” Ruby stated.

“But we need to get the Black Queen Virus disassembled so we can find the footage, without that my plan is ruined.” Robyn explained.

“Leave that to us. We will get our hands on it and try and get it to you somehow.” Ruby explained.

“You can’t all go; it’ll be far too risky. Black Gallows are everywhere.” Joanna stated.

“Especially in Vale.” Pyrrha added.

“Then a team of four will go. Obviously, I will, and so will Penny.” Ruby explained, Yang stood up, but Ruby held out her hand. “No…”

“What?” Yang gasped. “No I’m coming.”

“I need you to stay here. We are gonna need allies, as many as we can find. While a small team goes for the Relic of Creation, we can keep Salem’s eyes off you. She will want Jinn, and once we get Creation, I’m sure things will go south. We’re gonna need backup.” Ruby explained.

“I can go and talk to my mother; she has a large force… and she helped us last time.” Eryka explained.

“You think Lavinia is still out there?” Winter asked.

“She’s gotta be, right? My parents have all sorts of resources, the Black Gallows might have cranked down on all Crime Syndicates, but my mother is tough. The Vasillias Cartel wouldn’t go down without a fight.” Eryka explained.

“Their old base is near here, maybe you can find answers there.” Li added.

“Sienna Khan and Ilia… they could also be out there somewhere. The Feral Ones weakened the White Fang, but I never heard their names on the news. They’d plaster that everywhere if they managed to kill Sienna.” Blake explained.

“Miss Belladonna, I do not wish to sound rude, but you are in no state to go searching.” Li explained, and Blake looked saddened.

“Li, c’mon.” Yang sighed but he held up his hand.

“I have not finished, Miss Xiao Long.” That silenced Yang. “If you are willing to learn, I can help you learn how to fight without your eyes.”

“Huh?” Blake asked.

“If an old fart like me can still fight despite being blind… so can a spry young lady like yourself. And there are many things that you do not yet understand.” He assured.

“I can help as well.” Maria assured as she nodded her head.

“Take some time to strengthen your skills again, you are going to need it if you intend on finding the remnants of the White Fang.”

“And while we get Penny to Vale, you meet up with Dutch. Get as much information as you can, if we can turn the public against Salem and Killian, then we need every bit of information as we can get.” Ruby explained.

“Here I came here with a plan… and you somehow have a better one.” Robyn chuckled. “I like you, Ruby. Always did see potential.”

Ruby smiled.

“Then… if we are all doing that… then who goes with you?” Yang asked with concern.

Weiss still did not stand; it was clear that issues still were present after what happened in the Atlesian Wildlands.

That was when Pyrrha Nikos stood up… it genuinely surprised them to see her rise to the occasion. For so long she had been quiet and defeated. “It’s about time I got off my ass.” Pyrrha shrugged her shoulders. Then Cinder looked at Amber.

“Please be careful.” Amber softly begged.

“Look who you’re talking to.” Cinder winked, then she stood up as well. The three of them all looked shocked by that one. “I know Salem and her methods better than any of you. And having a Maiden on your side is better than not having one at all.”

Ruby stood there for a moment, and she chuckled. “Team C.P.P.R.” Ruby said as she looked at the four of them. “Well this won’t be awkward at all.”

Ruby doesn’t trust Cinder completely because of Beacon,

Cinder doesn’t like Ruby for burning out her eye,

Cinder nearly killed Pyrrha,

Pyrrha killed Penny,

And Pyrrha is still mad at Ruby for what happened in the Atlesian Wildlands.

“Okay… we have our jobs. Salem is not gonna stop until she has all four Relics, and if that happens… well… none of this will matter. Salem’s rule cannot continue, it is up to us to make things right. She thinks she can take this world from us, to paint us as the villains to the public, but she can’t stop us for fighting what we believe in. One way or another, this ends with us… and we will make Salem pay for every single life that was lost. Every. Last one.” Ruby assured and Pyrrha felt determination swell inside of her chest, and she nodded her head.

Fiona bumped Robyn’s shoulder. “She’s pretty good at that.”

“I know right?” Robyn chuckled.

Ruby walked towards the door with the Relic of Knowledge hanging from her belt, but she felt Pyrrha’s hand stop her. She turned and looked at her. “We’re gonna need to take some time here. Prepare… it could take months until we’re ready.” Pyrrha explained.

“I know…”

“There’s somewhere I need to go… I am not properly equipped for that kind of mission. And I am not strong as I used to be… I know where we can go to fix that problem.” Pyrrha explained.

“Where?” Ruby asked.

Pyrrha thickly swallowed.

“Home. My home.”

Chapter 17: Homecoming

Chapter Text

Adam

 

He stumbled through the snow, alone, looking around as he held his side. He still hurt from that blow that Yang threw into him. He coughed from the pain as he limped. “Damn it…” He growled with anger. “I was so close…”

The wind howled through the tall trees as they swayed back and forth from the wind which was crashing into their hulking forms. But as he struggled to walk through the thick snow of Anima, he stopped when he heard something. Like something cutting through the wind above him. He reached down to his sword and looked around as he stayed sharp on his hooves.

Suddenly the branches shattered as Icarus blasted towards him, and he threw multiple grenades towards him. Adam gasped and they exploded, throwing him backwards. Icarus slammed both boots into Adam’s chest, pinning him to the ground. His huge mechanical wings arched backwards, and he pointed his Khopesh directly at his face, his eyes scowled down at him, breathing through his robotic jaw.

Adam growled as he stared right back at him. “Have you learned nothing?” Icarus snarled. “Salem gave you another chance, and yet you still chose your petty excuse for revenge over what the real objective was.”

“I tried to get to the Relic, but Xiao Long was –”

“I saw the whole exchange, Taurus. You stared at the Relic for a long time, had more than enough time to pick it up and run. But instead you went after Belladonna, like always… just a mad dog chasing after his own tail.” Icarus laughed sinisterly as he pushed his boot down against his face, forcing his face into the snow. “I should kill you right now, I imagine Salem would not even blame me if I did.”

“You talk about focusing on the objective, but I saw you up there! You lost it, constantly going after that old man like a rabid animal. How many times did you have a chance to grab it, huh?” Adam questioned, that one made Icarus fall silent. But his red eyes narrowed coldly as he stared down at him. “Yeah… that’s what I expected.” He scoffed, only for Icarus to shove him into the snow, walking away.

But as they stood there… they both felt an unnaturally cold chill run down their spines. They turned and saw the air turn red, and a portal opened up before them. They both stared at it, as they saw the Salem Knight emerge from it first. Jaune pointed the Relic of Destruction at the two of them, but then moved it down towards Adam who was still on the ground. That was when they heard her terrifyingly calm laugh.

“Oh Adam… your predictability never ceases to amaze me.” Salem spoke, emerging from the portal.

She was wearing new clothes, very different to what they were used to. She wore a long sleeved, black partially exposed cold shoulder robe, ending in middle finger loops, with red trim flowing from her raised collar, bordering through the vertical window exposing her bust, to the sides of her hips and three crimson stripes flowing all the way down to the bottom hem of her robe. Additionally, she had ornate, gunmetal-coloured bone-like arm cuffs on her upper arms, and an elaborate, cross-shaped brooch with a rhombus-shaped ruby gemstone atop her clavicle, closing her outfit and forming the aforementioned slightly wider, diamond-shaped window. Completing her ensemble was a similar black cape with matching red trim, with a couple additional red gemstones hanging from her bun.

“Y-You’re grace! I… I…” Adam whimpered as he tried to crawl away, but then he felt his muscles freeze in his body, he gasped as he could not move. Salem smiled kindly as she walked through the snow with ease towards him.

The Praetorian Knight… she was watching our every move…

“I had hoped you learned from your previous error. But it seems I was not clear enough to you last time.” She softly spoke as she approached. “Time and again you continue to disobey my instructions, and time and time again you fail. Remember, Adam Taurus, our relationship is a contract. And contracts, like all living things, expire.” She warned as she caressed his cheek.

“You said it yourself when we first met… the enemy of my enemy is my friend.” Adam replied.

“Indeed, however with every counting failure, I am beginning to see you as just another enemy. You are costing me dearly.” Salem stated.

“Me? What about him? He could have gotten the Relic just as easily but instead went after the old man! But here you are, wagging your finger in my face!” Adam yelled, Jaune suddenly stomped down onto his chest, forcing him back down against the ground, pointing the Relic of Destruction’s burning blade directly at his face.

“Indeed… Icarus did fail me; the Summit’s Claim still stands despite my very specific command… but this is the first time he has done so.” She said, giving him a cold glare. It intimidated Icarus, making him shrink into his shoulders fearfully. “When you came to me, you promised me Faunus Superiority. Or is there such a thing?” Salem asked him as she stood over him.

Adam coughed, before looking back up at her. “Y’know... you haven’t ever told me. You always go on about how you will give us what we desire… so long as we don’t place ours above yours. So tell me… what is it you want? What do you get out of all of this?” Adam bravely asked her, Salem stared down at him and she just rolled her red eyes.

“Every era I have lived through, all you revolutionaries are the same. You all think you’re the centre of the universe…” Salem said, looking up at the sky. “You have no idea…”

She then looked back down at him and grabbed onto one of his horns, and she proceeded to drag him towards the Portal. “Argh! No, please! I beg of you!” He cried out.

“It seems this child is in need of one last lesson.” She growled, eyes flaring red. He screamed in terror as she dragged him through the cold snow. But before she walked through the portal she opened, Salem stopped and looked over her shoulder at Icarus.

“Do not fail me again.” She warned, her words made him sweat with fear. Adam continued to wail with terror as Salem easily dragged him through the portal. The moment he and Jaune walked through it with Salem, it shut, and his screams disappeared.

Icarus stood there… alone… and his heart was hammering. He then felt his Scroll begin vibrating. He pulled it out and saw Watts’ name on it.

Watts was now in command of the mission to retrieve the Relics.

 

Robyn

 

A few days later…

The trip from the Summit’s Claim all the way to the small remote town of Higanbana was hardly an easy one. Dodging Black Gallows patrols and Airships constantly coming the area for any signs of Ruby Rose – and most importantly – the Relic of Knowledge. But keeping out of sight from the Black Gallows had become second nature to the Happy Huntresses. If anything it was easier than standing out in public these days.

Robyn was leant up against the wall of one of the buildings, the rest of her team behind her in the alleyway. She peered round the side of the wall with her hood pulled up, watching the Raven talons stood right next to them. As always, they could never identify their voices thanks to the Distorters they always had built into their helmets. The voices all Stockholm Troopers had were extremely disturbing, a dark and crackly one instead of anything that sounded human. Sometimes Robyn couldn’t blame the conspiracy theorists for believing that the soldiers weren’t even Humans or Faunus and were legitimately just machines.

And yest despite how scary they looked, and sounded? She still felt sorry for them all because none of them asked to become them. It’s in the name, they were tortured both mentally and physically until they believed the Black Gallows were their salvation. They were victims just as much as the people they were killing.

“Any word on Ruby Rose?” The Raven Talon asked.

“Negative, last she was spotted was in a small, abandoned town in the mountains. But she’s disappeared again.” The Shadow Dagger answered.

“Getting tired of his cat and mouse bullshit.” The Raven Talon sighed.

“Tell me about it. Hopefully, the boss can give us something good soon. Hate feeling like we’re just chasing shadows in the dark.” The Shadow Dagger huffed. Robyn looked at the holographic Bounty Posters that were being projected on all the Lampposts. They were everywhere these days.

Still the same names as always, Ruby Rose was always right at the top. But luckily her name and the Happy Huntresses were nowhere to be seen. Seems they were still completely unknown to them.

“C’mon you two… move it…” Robyn whispered to herself.

“Hey! We got a new assignment, c’mon.” She heard the Onyx Consul call out from across the street.

“Finally. Hopefully this one can actually go well.” The Raven Talon chuckled, and the two of them walked away.

“Took the words right out of my mouth.” Robyn chuckled, she then gestured to her team and they followed her lead. They walked casually but kept their heads held low so nobody could see their faces. With so many Black Gallows soldiers here? It was best to keep their heads down.

“I don’t like this… why are there so many Black Gallows here? This is a small town; it doesn’t need this much security.” May whispered.

“I know what you mean, just keep your heads down. Dutch said we should meet with him here.” Robyn explained, and May sighed. “What?”

“Are you sure we can trust him?” She asked Robyn.

“He kept us safe for six years, why would he rat us out now we left?” Robyn asked her.

“Look I just wanna be aware of all the possibilities. The dude is Killian’s right-hand man and believe me I remember what he told us. And I get it, he has a lot of history with the guy, a lot of it good. But… how do we know he won’t choose to support Killian over us? What if this is some sort of trap?” May asked with concern in her voice.

“I’ve gotta admit… I’m starting to wonder that as well.” Joanna agreed.

“He wouldn’t betray us. He would have had an easier job when we were all living in his house. He could have just called it in, and we would have been thrown into Black Cells six years ago.” Fiona explained.

“End of the day, Ruby was spotted in Anima. And the Black Gallows have grown in size since before the Inhumane Necessity, and they were massive back then anyway. Killian isn’t stupid, he would have Black Gallows in smaller towns than bigger ones because Ruby would be more likely to go to places like this.” Robyn explained. “Of course… he miscalculated. I doubt he ever expected her to just wreak havoc in Argus of all places.”

Robyn couldn’t help but laugh at that fact. I would have paid good money to see the look on that asshole’s face when he saw her in Argus.

“But Dutch wouldn’t betray us. I know people and I know how their minds work… and I can tell when someone is on your side and when they aren’t. It’s why I knew Killian was the enemy, even when I was acting as Veronica Chamberlain. I could tell he was hiding something… I just didn’t expect it to be Salem… and the Inhumane Necessity.” Robyn explained.

They approached the Inn, the very place that Dutch said that they should meet. “Hiding in plain sight. Always was his style.” Fiona laughed as they approached the doors. Robyn opened them and she saw him sat at a table upstairs. He subtly waved to them and they walked up the stairs to where he was sitting.

“Glad you could make it.” Dutch greeted.

“You could have warned us about the Black Gallows.” Joanna huffed.

“Well… they’re actually recent. I have no idea why they’re here.” Dutch revealed, after all that debating that shocked the team than anything else, they imagined.

“Wait… what? You have no idea whatsoever?” Robyn asked with wide eyes.

“None. And I check every single assignment that comes my way, especially ones that have this many soldiers on a single location.” Dutch explained.

“Crap… that’s worse than we could have possibly imagined.” May sighed. “Do you think he knows? That we’re alive? Or that you’re helping us?”

“I’m not sure. Killian’s getting harder and harder to read these days, and after his Foster Mother died it only made things worse. The guy is losing his mind.” He said with certainty in his voice. “Which is also why… she is here.” Dutch said as he turned, and they saw her walk in the room from the bathroom.

“Terra? What the hell are you doing here?” Robyn questioned with a hushed voice.

“I can’t keep sitting around and letting my brother keep doing these things.” Terra explained. “Dutch located me and filled me in on what you found at that Lab. Some… freaky shit. But I managed to find us a new lead.”

“Wait, you’re the one who found this lead?” Joanna asked.

“Surprised?”

“Well… Dutch did say that he found it.” Robyn said, planting her hand on her hip.

“I wanted to surprise you.” He shrugged with a nervous smile.

“Consider me surprised then.”

“Yeah, he showed up to our house to let me know where you all were at. But I found something else.” Terra stated.

“Look I wanted you to keep a low profile, not getting in the mix like this. If Killian or… Salem… learns that you’re involved then they will kill you, Saphron and Adrien.” Robyn explained.

“My connection to Killian has meant my family has had a target on our backs for years. Salem is ruthless, and if he ever failed do you really think she would kill him? No, because as the Commander of the Black Gallows and viewed as a fucking War Hero, it would cost her more. But threaten to kill the only family he has left to punish him? That is not something I want my family to suffer with. Ever since I learned of her existence and figured out that he was in league with her, I realised my family would never be safe. I will not stand by and watch my wife and son die because of my brother’s lust for control.” Terra explained as she looked at Robyn.

She closed her eyes and sighed with frustration. “Fine… fine… I guess there’s no stopping you, is there?” Robyn resigned.

“Not at all.”

“Does Saphron know?” Fiona inquired.

“She knows… hell… she was the one who pushed me to come here when Dutch showed up.” Terra explained. They all sat down and looked at the two informants now on their side.

“Okay then… what do you have?” Robyn asked curiously.

Dutch reached down into his bag and he set it down onto his table, a file. He slid it towards her, and she picked it up, opening it to see all the documents secured inside. “What’s this?” She asked.

“An old case of mine. An Ex-Stockholm Trooper.” Terra revealed.

That got their attention.

“I didn’t think there were any Ex-Stockholm Troopers. I thought they were all either loyal or K.I.A.” Joanna said.

“Usually there aren’t, like you said – most of them are killed in battles. But she survived her injuries and was left behind. She managed to nurse herself back to health, but she was already confirmed dead by her superiors. So she went into hiding, since the Black Gallows don’t like to own up to screw ups. They’d rather one of their own to just be dead when they are already stated to be so.” Terra explained, they all looked at Dutch and he nodded his head with regret ever present in his eyes.

“Okay… what does she have that can help us?” Robyn asked.

“Well, the important reason I am here is because she is more likely to respond to me than any of you. I helped her in the past, I was the one who helped her secure a new identity and a home. But when I was helping her out, she mentioned she had seen some really screwed up shit out there. And now that she knew that her superiors didn’t care a wit about her, she was more than willing to spill. But I told her not to, so then she would be safe. But… now… we may need to know whatever it is she knows.” Terra explained.

“Well we know the Black Gallows are a bunch of assholes – no offense, Dutch – what could she possibly have that is so important?” May asked.

“Well this is where it gets interesting. When I showed Dutch her file, he was shocked. Obviously because he assumed, she was dead, but then I found out why she was so important.” Terra then gestured to Dutch.

“She was part of an Elite Squad named Eclipse’s Shadow. They were some of Killian’s best, like what the Ace Ops are now. The Ace Ops are essentially the replacements for the old Shadow.”

“Okay… so what kind of info would she know about?” Robyn asked.

“That’s what we’re gonna find out. But whatever it is, it could prove to be even bigger than what we already know.” Dutch explained. “And luckily, we won’t have to look far. Because she is here, in Higanbana.”

“She is?” Fiona gasped.

“Yep, this was the town I set her up in. Out in the wilds, safe from the familiar faces and cameras. She’s been happy here… but she has been waiting a long time to finally tell us what she knows. I think we owe her this chance.” Terra explained.

“Okay… take us to her.”

Half an Hour later…

They followed Terra to the house in question, it was on the outskirts of the town, but it was quite the beautiful place. Surrounded by a white picket fence and gorgeous flowers planted along the stone path towards the front door. Terra stepped onto the doormat and she knocked on it, but her eyes widened when she saw the security camera staring at her. “That’s new.”

The door suddenly burst open, and she was stood there, aiming her Double-Barrelled Shotgun directly at Terra’s face. “Whoa! Tortuga, it’s me!”

“Why have you brought him here?” She snarled as she kept her gun trained on Dutch, who was directly behind Terra.

“He’s on our side.” Terra assured.

“He’s Black Gallows, Killian’s Right-Hand Man!” She barked, and Robyn turned to Dutch.

“Maybe… it’s best that you hang back?” Robyn asked him.

“That may be best… looks like the past six years of Black Gallows being everywhere has made her a little rattled.” Dutch agreed.

“If he leaves… will you let us speak to you?” Robyn inquired as she stepped forward. The lady was middle aged with greying hair, dark brown skin, and small brown eyes.

“He could inform Killian.” She stammered.

“You have my word that I won’t. At the end of the day these four are wanted fugitives. If I were on the enemy’s side, I wouldn’t be here right now. But I can stay back while you speak with my friends.” Dutch explained, Tortuga was shaking fearfully as she kept her gun on his head. But she looked at Terra again.

“Do you trust me?” Terra asked her.

“Y-You helped me… you risked your life to help me… yes… I trust you.” Tortuga nervously answered.

“Then trust me when I say he will not rat you out. I promise.” Terra assured, and Tortuga sighed. She lowered her shotgun and Dutch stepped back.

“I’ll keep an eye on the Black Gallows forces around the area.” He assured as he put on his uniquely designed helmet – the X-Shaped Red Visor shone bright red as it connected to his neckpiece. They all walked into her house and she closed the door behind them, locking it again.

Robyn looked around with wide eyes at all the beautiful paintings and photographs. “You’ve been around, huh?”

“Huh? Oh… y-yeah… I try to keep moving around, seeing all the sights. Going to lots of places was the only thing about being a Stockholm Trooper I fondly remember.” She explained as she leant her shotgun against the wall. She had a bad limp, looked like her leg did not heal correctly. She limped over the living room where Terra followed her. “It’s been eight years since I saw you. Terra… why are you here now? You finally wanna hear what I have to say?”

“I nearly refused the possibility, I didn’t wanna risk you getting hurt if you told me what you wanted to say all those years ago.” Terra explained, which made Tortuga chuckle.

“How’s Saphron?” She asked her.

“She’s good… we’re married now, have a little boy.” Terra proudly answered as she sat down.

“R-Really? That’s g-good, I’m happy for you both. From how you talked about her, she seemed to be a really l-lovely person.” Terra softly said. “Come… if Terra trusts you then I guess I can trust you all too.”

“It looked like you have a history with Dutch. You don’t like him?” Joanna asked.

“I actually do, back when I was one of them, he was the nicest one out of all of them. He always made sure we were okay, unlike Killian. Once we became loyal… well… that was all he needed.” She explained. “But he was Killian’s right-hand man then, and I bet he still is, right?”

“He is… but things have changed. Killian is falling apart, he’s nearly over the edge, if not already falling.” Terra explained.

Robyn couldn’t help but wonder if Tortuga knew about Killian being adopted by Terra’s mother and father. Perhaps not, since Tortuga seemed so welcoming to Terra, unlike Dutch. “How long did you serve him? Killian, I mean?” Fiona asked.

“Seventeen years…”

“Seventeen years? How old were you when they took you?” Fiona asked curiously.

“Thirty Years Old… after I murdered my husband.” She revealed, their eyes widened at that.

“Believe me, that asshole deserved it.” Terra assured.

“B-But how did that lead to the Black Gallows grabbing you? I thought that the Police would handle something like that?” May inquired.

“Well it turned out my Husband was an informant for the Black Gallows, and they were afraid that I knew his secrets and was gonna leak them. So they made sure I didn’t and turned me into one of their soldiers.” She explained to them all. “The Black Cells…”

“Are you okay?” Fiona asked softly.

“Y-Yes… just… I’ve been holding all this in me for so long, I’ve wanted to tell someone my story for so many years, but I knew Terra was right. It’s just… scary… I know that’s why you’re here. Isn’t it? You want me to tell you what I was gonna tell you when we first met?” Tortuga asked Terra, she nodded her head.

“I’m sorry, I really wished there were another way… but we need to take Killian down. We need to bring Salem down.” Terra explained, and Tortuga nodded her head as she clasped her hands together.

“Well… then you’re gonna have your work cut out for you. Because Killian is the most ruthless man I have ever seen.”

“Oh believe me, we know.” Robyn assured.

“No… you don’t. Not really.” Tortuga assured. “I have seen him do things and make decisions that I couldn’t possibly imagine someone doing. I don’t know how he does it, but he just seems to shut off a part of himself. The part that feels, that worries all about morality. The man is a monster.” Tortuga stated.

“We saw what he did to the U.G.R six years ago. We’ve seen what he is capable of, it’s why we’re here. To know what it is you wanted to tell Terra.” Robyn could tell she was stalling, and she really couldn’t blame Tortuga. Nobody would know how the Black Gallows operated better than someone who used to be one, especially someone who used to be that high up in the hierarchy.

“Okay… did Dutch tell you what I was?” Tortuga inquired.

“Yes. You were an Eclipse’s Shadow.” May answered.

“Correct, and as an Eclipse’s Shadow, I had to do some very terrible things. Assassinations, help take down settlements that were dangerous to the future of Kingdoms. Places like Kuroyuri and Oniyuri. Any extremely off-the-books dirty work that the U.G.R wanted done, was carried out by our team. Personally lead by Killian.” Tortuga explained.

“Oniyuri and Kuroyuri?” Fiona asked.

“Well not them specifically, they were just unlucky and hit by Grimm. But there were other settlements similar. Settlements that wanted to create their own laws, to live outside of the U.G.R’s influence. That was never something the Councillors wanted to let slide, so they made sure that they were erased. I know those two were on their list, but Grimm took care of that problem before we were even needed to be sent in.” Tortuga explained.

“Gods… I didn’t know the U.G.R was that corrupt.” Fiona sighed, but that just made Tortuga laugh. They all looked at her with confusion as she laughed.

“What?” Terra asked her.

“Oh sweetheart… I can promise you, the U.G.R were worse than Salem in more ways than one. Don’t get me wrong, the Dark Queen is a monster, but she is beyond human. These people? They were human… ever single one… and the things they were ready to do to hold onto their power? Their wealth? Their control over people? It would give you nightmares, especially what I am going to tell you.” Tortuga was clearly building up towards something.

“Gods… can you skip the theatrical shit and get to the important part?” May asked with frustration.

“As you wish.” Tortuga said as she leant back into her chair. “Remember the Inhumane Necessity? The Order carried out to eliminate the Huntsmen and Huntresses across Remnant?” She began.

“Yeah, who could forget?” Joanna stated, Robyn turned and looked at Terra, and she gently caressed her shoulder. Seeing the pain in her eyes whenever those two words were mentioned.

“Well – that was relatively tame compared to what the Full Order would do.” Tortuga stated.

“Killian told Jaune Arc about this, about the three levels of the Necessity. The highest was a complete Societal Reset, right?” Robyn asked.

“Correct. But what I doubt he told your friend; is how they would carry that out. And that is what I had a personal hand in preparing.” She revealed.

“Guys…” Robyn heard Dutch’s voice coming through her comm link in her ear.

“Not now.” She softly replied.

Tortuga leant forward.

“Buried underneath the Four Kingdoms on Remnant, are Four Cataclysm-Class Bombs. Filled with Gravity Dust, which will create an implosion so powerful that they will completely destroy all four kingdoms if activated. Which Killian has remote access to and could detonate them at will.”

That revelation sent chills down their spines.

“What?” Fiona gasped.

“You’re lying… surely…” Joanna stammered.

“I’m afraid not. My team was with Killian when we planted them beneath the Kingdoms and primed them. They are designed so then they cannot be disarmed, if someone tried, they would detonate immediately and kill everyone.”

“But… why?” Fiona asked with horror.

“The Inhumane Necessity. If the Kingdoms were out of control beyond repair, like how they were at the beginning of the Great War, the U.G.R would be prepared to decimate them all so then they could start again. A Societal Reset Button.”

“But what about the other Non-Kingdom Cities and Settlements? Like Argus and Menagerie?” Fiona nervously asked.

“No bombs under those cities, but there would be no need. The people remaining in those locations would not dare challenge the U.G.R after they wiped out millions to maintain control. And therefore there would still be a world to rebuild off.” Tortuga explained.

“By the gods… this… this is so much worse than the slaughter of the Councillors. This could change everything. Combine this with the footage of the U.G.R Councillors being slaughtered by Killian and the Children of Salem; the whole world will know the truth. That the Black Gallows and Salem are the enemy.” Robyn explained.

“Or trigger a civil war after the fact. People will know about the bombs and be terrified. Grimm attacks would increase… even in death Salem would still be winning.” May stated. “Do you have any pictures of it? The Bomb you helped them set up?”

“None. Black Gallows confiscated all evidence. If you’re gonna find anything on that your best bet is either their Headquarters or on the Shadow of Broken Promises.” She answered.

“If we are gonna get that evidence… we need to be very careful with how we release it. And we have to do it after Killian and Salem are gone. Otherwise they could just hit the switch and kill everyone.” May stated.

“This has just made everything a hell of a lot more complicated…”

 

Pyrrha

 

It had been a few days since they left the Summit’s Claim, the same amount of time since Robyn and the Happy Huntresses left.

And for Team C.P.P.R the journey was actually a lot easier, walking through long abandoned roads towards the old home of the Nikos Family. Stowing away on the Argus Limited’s track across Anima made the trip to this region a lot faster, since the Nikos Estate was South of Mistral. “Ugh… how much further is it?” Cinder coughed, spitting into the grass.

“Not much further, should just be up this path.” Pyrrha assured as they kept moving closer and closer to where her home once was.

“The home of the Nikos Family… must be something to see.” Ruby said with curiosity on her face.

“Yeah, great idea bringing me there, isn’t it?” Cinder scoffed.

“Hey, you can wait back if you want.” Ruby shrugged.

“Just standing out here in the hot all day? No thanks.” Cinder shrugged.

“Look I’m no help to you guys in the shape I’m in. I have no armour, and all I have is… this.” Pyrrha said as she held the Snapped Crocea Mors up in her hand. “If we’re seriously going to get Penny to Vale to help her and then go to Arcadia, then I need to be at my best. And besides, maybe we could all use some time to get ready too.” Pyrrha explained.

“You said we may have to be here for a few months?” Penny asked nervously.

“I need to get stronger again. I was brought back from death, but when I came back, I was not as strong as I was six years ago. I need to retrain my body again, get stronger. And I can’t do that at the Summit’s Claim. And… I need to see my parents. I need them to know that I’m… back…” Pyrrha explained, then Cinder slowed down.

“Yeah… that’s why I kinda mentioned it. Are you sure it’s a good idea for me to go in there? Not joking around anymore… I mean… they know I nearly killed you, right?” Cinder asked.

“And… wouldn’t they be uncomfortable about… well… me?” Penny nervously asked, but Ruby gently held her hand.

Pyrrha thought on it some more. “We discussed this. I’ll handle it.” Pyrrha assured.

They continued to follow the old paths, and as they walked over the hill… Pyrrha froze. Ruby was expecting the worst, since that was just how things went. But awe struck them as they saw the Nikos Estate… pristine. Ruby genuinely expected to just see ruins left behind, but it looked like the Spartan Family was left alone after all these years. Pyrrha swallowed thickly and she walked forward, towards the door, and she raised her hand to the door.

She grasped the metal handle and softly knocked it against it. “Go away.” She heard the voice of her father – Anaximander Nikos – call out.

“Well that’s charming.” Cinder scoffed, getting a slight elbow from Ruby.

So Pyrrha did it again. “I said leave us! We do not wish to be bothered!” Anaximander yelled, Pyrrha sighed and closed her eyes. She knew what was beyond this door, it was the beautiful courtyard, where the fountain and garden was. And she remembered the bell that hung from the trees, made of metal.

She focused, and her polarity reached out and shook it back and forth. Inside of the Estate, Anaximander was sat there with his blade, and his solemn look changed when he saw the familiar black energy that surrounded the metal. His eyes widened, and he looked at the door. The huge doors opened, and he saw her before him.

Cinder stayed back and Pyrrha smiled sweetly. “H-Hey… dad.” She lightly said, and she saw her mother – Juno – turn the corner and stare at her. Tears welled in her parents eyes and her father dropped the sword he held and pulled her forward into a loving hug.

“Pyrrha… my baby girl…” He cried into her shoulder, and Pyrrha smiled, and she began to sob as well as she held him. Juno approached and hugged her daughter tight as well.

Ruby smiled as she saw them reunited at long last. To actually see Pyrrha smiling and actually crying from joy was something Ruby never thought she would ever see again.

“How… How? I… I…” Juno sniffled tearfully.

“It’s… a long story, I’ll explain it all. These are my friends… Ruby Rose – I’m pretty certain you remember her – this is… Penny Polendina…” The Parents looked at the android who still looked very uncomfortable around Pyrrha, keeping her distance. “And… try to stay calm… this is…”

“CINDER FALL!” Anaximander bellowed, suddenly grabbing her by the throat and pinning her to the wall.

“Dad!” Pyrrha begged, then he pressed the blade of the sword he dropped to her throat, glaring right at her.

“Yep… this is about as well as I was expecting.” Cinder sighed, rolling her amber eye.

“She’s on our side now… she’s still an asshole… but she’s on our side.” Pyrrha assured, Anaximander stared at her, and Cinder just raised her brow, looking unimpressed. He grunted and let her land on her feet.

“I… I don’t know what to…”

“C’mon… I can explain.” She assured her father.

“I don’t want her anywhere near you.” Anaximander stated.

“I second that.” Juno agreed.

“What do you wanna do? Tie me up?” Cinder asked.

A few moments later…

Cinder was tied up to a chair, sighing as Ruby sat in front of her with an empty can of an energy drink, and she threw it into Cinder’s head. It bounced off and she grunted. “Why?”

“Heh, it’s funny. Fall Maiden, tied to a chair.” Ruby giggled childishly, still having that silly side to her despite everything.

“You’re so annoying.” Cinder groaned.

“Aaaand, round two incoming. Bonk!” Ruby laughed as she threw the can back at her. “I’m a pro!”

In the other room, whilst Ruby tortured Cinder by being a nuisance, Pyrrha was sat with her parents, after she had just filled them in on how she came back from the dead. Both of them looked completely baffled by the revelation that the Brothers Grimm existed in the first place. But… they were just so happy to know that their little girl was alive once more. But as she sat there, she began to tell them about what was still eating away at her.

“… He was my diamond in the rough. He was my knight in shining armour. Not because he fought my battles, but because he was there for me once the blade had sung… and I couldn’t help him. I tried to help him but… he set off the bombs to stop Salem from getting to him. I was too late… just some… fool who thought she could save everyone.” Pyrrha explained as a tear streamed down from her eye.

Juno was stood by the window, looking out at the landscape of Anima. “No, you’re no fool, sweetheart. I mean… you came here, didn’t you? Came home to the very place that made you strong in the first place.” Juno explained as she walked over to her, knowing exactly how to talk to her daughter, just as Jaune did.

“Y-Yeah… but… I don’t know what… what to do. We have a plan; we want to take down Salem but I… I am not who I once was. I mean… look at me.” She said as she gestured to her far less athletic, just thin, body.

“That can be fixed, with time, and determination.” Juno assured as she sat down beside her, gently caressing her hair. “I understand your pain, honey, I really do. But you cannot just give up, not because you failed. Want to know why?”

“Why?”

“Because everyone fails, it doesn’t make you any less than everyone else.” Juno assured.

“Yeah well, I’m not supposed to be like everyone else, am I? I’m supposed to be Pyrrha Nikos – The Invincible Girl…”

“Everyone fails at who they’re supposed to be, sweetheart. The only way you can truly succeed is to look in a mirror and see yourself for who you really are. Only then can you heal.” Juno stated, and Pyrrha closed her teary eyes.

“Don’t give up, darling.” Anaximander softly assured.

Pyrrha sat there, closing her eyes. “I lied…” She revealed, that got their attention.

“Huh?”

“To Ruby… to myself… I told them I wanted to come here to… get stronger… to get equipped but… now that I’m here? I don’t wanna fight anymore. I don’t want to do anything.” She buried her head in her knees. “I’m home now… after everything… I just wanna go to my room.”

She got up and Juno reached out for her. “Pyrrha!”

The door swung open as her polarity gripped the metal handle. Ruby stopped throwing the can at Cinder, and the Fall Maiden’s amber eye widened. The rope they used to tie her up burned, and she stood up. Juno and Anaximander noticed that since that meant Cinder could have escaped at any moment but didn’t. Instead stayed bound to make them feel better. But as Pyrrha stormed down the hallway, Cinder, Ruby and Penny watched her go.

“Hey! Where the hell’re you going? We’ve got a job to do!” Cinder called but Pyrrha just ignored them as tears streamed down her eyes. She looked down one of the rooms and saw the Brother of Darkness watching her as she abandoned her duties.

There was no face… but she could tell he would have been smirking there.

But she just ignored him and went straight for the stairs, and she closed the door behind her. Her team stood at the stairs and Cinder clenched her hand into a fist with anger as she stormed off. Ruby sighed, pushing her hands through her hair, whilst Penny looked at Juno.

“I baked cookies?” The huge teddy bear of a man that was Anaximander awkwardly said to the rest of Team C.P.P.R.

Pyrrha needed to get her head in the game and keep it there.

There had to be a way to help her.

They needed her.

Now more than ever before.

 

Robyn

 

Meanwhile, back in Higanbana…

Robyn couldn’t stop thinking about the Cataclysm-Class Bombs buried underneath the Four Kingdoms. Bombs that could not be disarmed or even moved without them detonating, and Killian had the authority to detonate them whenever he wanted to. It was a lot to take in. “Robyn? What are you thinking?” Terra asked with concern in her voice.

“Well I’m thinking this whole situation is fucked… but… outside of that? We need to get backup; we need some kind of counterforce against Killian if we are gonna even try and get that information out. He and Salem need to be taken down before we even risk going public with this information… even if we get what we need from that Black Queen Virus. This changes everything.”

“I’m sorry… I hope I was of some hel-”

“GUYS GET THE FUCK OUT OF THERE!” Dutch roared through Robyn’s comm link.

As Tortuga sat up, she could not even finish her sentence when the window shattered with a deafening bang and the side of her head exploded. Blood and brain matter splattered across the wall. Terra screamed from the shock as Tortuga’s lifeless corpse slumped to the floor, and they all took cover. Bullets flew through the walls, and they heard massive trucks and airships roaring overhead.

“EVERYONE GET OUT OF HERE!” Robyn yelled as she rolled towards the doors and she kicked it open. A Black Gallows soldier was waiting on the other side, but she proceeded to kick him in the chest, knocking him backwards.

As they fled, she saw where the shot came from.

Harriet Bree.

She had a Sniper Rifle trained on them and fired, narrowly missing Robyn as she vaulted over the short concrete wall behind her. Robyn turned to Terra who was beside her. “Run! Get back to Argus and get Saphron and Adrien out of there. They shot her through the window, they couldn’t have identified you. But that sniper definitely saw me.”

“I’ll never make it.” Terra stammered.

“You’ll have a better chance than us, we’re gonna be priority one. We can handle them, just go. Get to the nearest Argus Limited Station and get to Saphron. I’m not sure how long it will take for them to identify you, but you need to be fast.” Robyn explained, shoving her back. “NOW GO!”

Terra took Robyn’s advice, and she ran as fast as she could.

Harriet growled with frustration, watching as Robyn started to run, turning to Clover Ebi. “Got the traitor. And confirmed visual on Robyn Hill. She’s alive, alongside the other Happy Huntresses. There was someone else, but their head was down, and they were covered in blood, couldn’t identify them.” Harriet explained.

“We’ll figure it out. All forces, pursue the Happy Huntresses. Killian has given us confirmation to use lethal force. Kill them all.” Clover coldly commanded.

The Bounty Boards flashed, and suddenly the names of Robyn Hill, Joanna Greenleaf, May Marigold and Fiona Thyme.

Wanted Dead or Alive: 5 Million Lien Per Head.

Cover was finally blown.

Chapter 18: Moving Forward...

Chapter Text

Robyn

 

She kept her head down as the Bounty Boards starting showing her face alongside May, Joanna and Fiona’s. There was a lot of money back on their heads, and Robyn growled with anger. “How the hell did they find us?” Robyn muttered.

“Killian… how the hell did he figure out we were alive?” May questioned as she kept them hidden with her semblance.

“I have no clue…” Robyn answered.

“Do you think someone has betrayed us?” Joanna asked.

“I don’t know… Terra and Dutch were the only others who knew about all this.” Robyn stated.

“Terra wouldn’t turn on us… and well… I may have had my doubts about him, but Dutch tried to warn us before it happened. He must have had eyes on whoever took that shot on Tortuga.” May explained, and Fiona squinted her eyes with grief in them.

“Tortuga…” She softly mourned.

“It happened so fast, there’s nothing we could do. We just have to get our asses out of here, lay low for a while.” Robyn explained, she peered around the corner whilst May kept them all cloaked. “We can’t stay here for too long; they’ll locate us sooner or later. We need to get moving. Be ready for anything, these bastards have tech that could see straight through this bubble.”

“You all ready?” May asked them as she kept her hands held up, they all nodded their heads.

“What about Terra?” Fiona nervously asked.

“I don’t think they saw her in the building with us, hopefully she can make it to the Argus Limited and get back to her home. But it won’t be long until they figure out who she is.” Robyn explained as she walked carefully.

“I hope she made it.” Fiona softly said.

“Me too.” Robyn agreed. “Terra’s smart, though… I’m sure she’ll get back home.” The Black Gallows were everywhere, and Wasp Airships had arrived on the scene, shining searchlights everywhere.

“On your knees!” They heard an Ebony Sabre command as he marched out all the civilians from the town, keeping guns trained on them. The Happy Huntresses stopped with widened eyes as they saw the Black Gallows soldiers start lining up the innocents.

“The fuck are they doing?” May gasped.

That was when they saw the Ace Ops arrive, Elm jumped down with her hammer rested onto her shoulder as she looked around. Harriet zoomed across the road and stopped beside her whilst Marrow emerged from the alleyways with his rifle ready. But he was looking at the civilians with concern in his eyes. Vine and Clover both swung to the same area, Vine used his aura extensions to throw himself whereas Clover simply used his Fishing Rod.

“We… we’re not seriously doing this, are we?” Marrow stammered as he approached Clover.

Clover did not say a word, he just glared right back at him. The Black Gallows had their guns to the heads of all the poor innocents. “This… is horrific. I know the Black Gallows are ruthless… but this is treading on war crime territory.” Joanna stated, but Robyn sighed.

War Crimes don’t exist for the Black Gallows. That’s how the bastards managed to get so far… their whole existence is to do the scary shit nobody else would do so the Councillors could sleep at night. It doesn’t matter who’s in charge… they haven’t changed one bit.” Robyn hatefully growled as she stared at the Ace Ops.

“Robyn Hill? I know you’re here… there’s no way you could have escaped us so easily. Even with May Marigold’s handy semblance.” Clover explained as he paced back and forth with his horseshoe spinning over his finger repeatedly. Robyn’s eyes darted around, desperately trying to come up with some kind of plan.

We can’t risk the civilians… they never asked to be a part of all this…

But how?

If we attack them, the soldiers will gun them down. If we run… they get gunned down… I guess that leaves us with only one option.

“These weapons are not for show, Miss Hill. They are armed and ready, and if I command it my forces will kill every last individual here at Higanbana.” Clover explained as he paced around. He could hear them all start whimpering with fear, and one of them started howling tears. “SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I’LL KILL YOU MYSELF YOU DUMB BITCH!” Clover erupted suddenly, gritting his teeth together as he pointed at the woman. She fell silent at his words, and he smiled once more, completely calm.

Marrow looked terrified but he stood his ground.

“Gods… the hell happened to you, Clover? You were stuck-up… but never insane…” Fiona stammered in fear of him.

“Now believe me… I don’t wanna kill these people. I really don’t, after the Academies… the riots… that little attempted revolution? There has been far too much bloodshed over the years… I don’t want there to be any more. But there will be, I will kill every single person here… unless you come forward.” Clover commanded, speaking in such a calm and soothing voice now.

Robyn glanced at her friends. “Alright… May, get Fiona and Joanna in position. I’ll keep him talking, get the civilians out of this somehow… hell I’ll even let him take me if I have to. And when we have an opening, attack the bastards with everything you’ve got. We won’t stand a chance against the Ace Ops and all the other Black Gallows… but we don’t need to kill them, just a smokescreen.” Robyn explained.

Fiona glanced up at the Wasp – most likely what they’ll use to ex-fill from the area when they have Robyn. Then she noticed one of the large, armoured trucks behind one of the buildings, she couldn’t help but smirk as she held her hand up. “I’ve got a few tricks up my sleeve.”

Robyn smirked back and winked at her. May carefully moved the rest of the Happy Huntresses away from Robyn as she held her back against the wall whilst Clover paced back and forth, whistling. “My patience is waring thin, Robyn… and my forces’ trigger fingers are itching.”

Robyn rolled her eyes, then she held up her hands and stepped out into the open. “Hello, Clover… been a long time since the old days at Atlas Academy. I see you have some fresh faces.” Robyn said as she looked at Marrow and Harriet. “What happened to Heron?”

“She’s dead.” Elm answered. “Nothing we could do…”

“I’m sorry.” Robyn said with a saddened voice.

“It happens. But luckily Marrow filled her place just nicely.” Elm said as she gestured to the youngest member of the group, he looked like he would have still been a student at Atlas Academy when it all came crumbling down six years ago. Robyn shook her head.

“Gods… she would have been so ashamed of you. The three of you…” Robyn said as she stared at Clover, Elm and Vine. “To see what you’ve all become… especially you, Clover. I remembered back in the days of school… she thought the world of you. And I even respected you… but now? You’re just like the rest of them.”

“You watch your tone.” Harriet snarled.

“Or what, Mohawk?” She scoffed. “I’m standing before you, so what are you waiting for? Let the civvies go.”

Clover glared at Robyn and took a sharp inhale of breath, but he gestured to his forces. They lowered their guns and shoved the civilians aside. “Get moving!” They barked. The civilians quickly retreated from the scene whilst Robyn kept her hands up.

“Hmm… tell me… where’re your friends?” Clover asked.

“Oh they’re long gone. You’ll never find them.” She assured.

“Hmm… it’s funny… because you and your little band of rebellious Huntresses never struck me as the type to run. You’re… painfully stubborn.” Clover chuckled as he approached her, and she stared right back at him, raising her eyebrow at him.

“I’m not sure if that was an insult or a compliment… I might take that as a compliment.” Robyn chuckled, until she gasped in pain when Clover swung his fist into her gut so hard it dropped her to one knee. She coughed from the pain, and Clover stared down at her with a sinister smirk.

“Clover! C’mon… she’s surrendered. Let’s just take her and bring her to Killian, alright?” Marrow suggested, trying to defuse the situation. He felt Vine’s hand touch his shoulder and he just sighed as he stepped back. Clover stared at him and then back at Robyn, sighing. He crouched down and held her by the throat, lifting her head.

“You’ve got no right to judge me… or my team. The world changed… and we had to change with it. We’re not the fools trying to cling to a world that is long dead.” Clover growled before he forced her back up to her feet and proceeded to bind her arms behind her back. The Wasp descended down to the ground, and she glanced to the truck Fiona mentioned.

She spotted the legs of a knocked-out Stockholm Trooper being dragged round the corner, and the vehicle was gone. Robyn smirked… knowing everything was going just as they planned.

Marrow kept her moving and she looked back at the younger man, his eyes said it all – he was scared. “You’re alright, kid.” She assured him.

“Quiet…” He softly told her, she kept walking, but she chose to disobey that order, like always.

“I get it… I do. You were a kid when it all happened, probably just a student at the Academy, huh? You had a choice… join the Black Gallows… or die. Not much of a choice there, if you ask me, especially for a kid.” Robyn explained. “Look all I’m saying is… out of all of the people in your team I can already tell you’re the one I don’t blame. The others betrayed what they stood for… could have fought back… but you were only a kid.”

“You don’t know anything about me…” Marrow replied.

“How old are you? Twenty-One?” She guessed.

“I… uh…”

“Wow? Nail on the head, eh Wags?”

“Wags?”

“Oh sorry, I like to give people nicknames. It’s fun.” She chuckled. “But listen… my point is… you would have been… what? Fifteen when all this happened? You didn’t have the skills to fight, or the experience… so I understand your position. But how long can you keep doing this? Looking the other way? Huh?” She asked him, but he stayed silent. “Soon the winds will change again… and you’re gonna have to pick a side, Marrow. I hope you choose the right one.”

“Shut it.” Harriet snarled as she shoved her into the Wasp, the rest of the Ace Ops got inside. As Marrow walked past her, Harriet suddenly slammed him against the wall. “The hell are you doing? You’re job is to keep her from squawking. Do your damn job.”

The Wasp took off into the air, preparing to fly away.

“I… I’m sorry.” Marrow stammered as he looked away from her, and Harriet just narrowed her eyes at him. He leant against the wall and gripped his forearm fearfully as Clover stared at him. Robyn rested her head against the bulkhead of the airship with a small smile on her face.

“The hell’re you grinning about?” Elm questioned, Robyn turned her head and pointed with her bound hands to the cockpit window.

That.” Robyn answered, just as the armoured truck suddenly came flying out from Fiona’s Personal Pocket Dimension, throwing it like it was made of plastic. It formed and came hurtling towards their shit and their eyes widened, whilst Robyn just laughed.

“Shit!” Clover yelled, and the huge, armoured truck smashed directly into its wing, breaking it apart and bursting flames from it. It spun out of control, screeching with every single rotation, before it collided down into the forest near Higanbana.

Robyn tumbled through the internals of the Airship alongside the other Ace Ops, it came apart as it rolled through the woods, smashing into trees and breaking them apart. They creaked as they toppled over to the ground, leaving a burning trail in the grass behind them. It slid to a halt by a babbly brook.

Robyn groaned as she shook her head, and quickly freed herself from the cable that attached her to the floor. She ran as fast as she could whilst Clover stared at her with gritted teeth. She dove behind one of the rocks as she opened her fan blades of her crossbow, and she sawed away at the cable wrapped around her forearms. “ROBYN!” Clover roared, drawing his pistol and Fishing Rod. “Find her.”

Robyn desperately cut as fast as she could, it was hard since the blades could not fully open due to her being bound by the gravity dust restraints. But eventually she felt them loosen, and they broke apart, freeing her arms. She ducked down and kept her Crossbow aimed ahead, listening out for any sounds.

Marrow approached the rock she was behind, and he turned, staring right at her. He did not aim his rifle at her though, he just looked right at her. She looked at him, she could see and hear his gun shaking in his hands as he tried to aim it at her. Marrow hesitated, then turned and walked away from her rock… she blew out a breath… surprised by his choice. She carefully got up and took cover behind one of the trees.

“She couldn’t have gone far! Keep searching! We need to know how much she knows!” Clover commanded.

Robyn went to turn the corner, only for Elm to suddenly grab her by the throat, and she lifted her up with ease. “Gotcha!” Elm launched her back into the open. Robyn crashed against the ground, but flipped back onto both feet, drawing her crossbow on the Ace Ops as they surrounded her.

“Dunno how you pulled that one off… I’ll admit you surprised me. But you won’t get us a second time.” He assured.

“You sure about that, Horseshoe?” Robyn challenged with a smirk; Clover raised his brow with confusion.

Joanna suddenly erupted from thin air, and behind her May dropped her shields, which sent Fiona forward. Joanna slammed her fist into the side of Clover’s face, whilst Fiona slashed her Crossbow Staff across Vine’s chest and kicked him in the chest, whilst May fired an explosive bolt towards Elm. The huge Huntress spun her Hammer through her fingers, absorbing the explosion.

The Happy Huntresses stood their ground together, staring the Ace Ops down.

“I’m sorry, Clover… what were you saying about surprises?” Robyn challenged with her signature smirk.

“Take them out, try and take Hill alive if you can.” Clover commanded, immediately firing his pistol towards her. The magazine glowed bright red as he switched ammo type, loading it with fire dust. The bullet exploded against her fan blades, then she rolled backwards as he launched towards her, swinging his Fishing Rod towards her. Robyn rolled backwards and fired a Crossbow Bolt towards him, but he swung the long cable towards her, and it wrapped around her arm. She grunted in pain as it twisted her Crossbow arm around and he yanked her forward and proceeded to punch her in the face.

Joanna roared with fury as she caught Elm’s massive hammer in her hands, staring directly at the massive woman who was easily overpowering her. But Joanna was still filled with power and she snarled with rage as she suddenly pushed the hammer upwards, and pummelled Elm across the jaw. She stumbled backwards, but countered the momentum with her hammer, swinging it directly into Joanna’s chest. The Happy Huntress flew backwards but drove her staff down into the grass, gasping as Elm swiftly transformed her huge Hammer into a dual barrelled Missile Launcher. She pulled the triggers and fired both rockets at her.

Joanna ran forward and slid underneath one of the missiles as it flew towards her and detonated into the tree behind her. Wood fragmented and splintered everywhere, causing the creaking tree to come crashing down over her head. The second missile only narrowly missed her cheek and flew off into the distance. Joanna launched her Crossbow Staff towards Elm which clipped onto her jacket, pinning her to the tree. Joanna howled as she jumped at her and smashed her fist into Elm’s face so hard that the tree exploded around them both. They both rolled across the ground as the tree plummeted back to the soil with a heavy crash, and Joanna kicked Elm across the jaw.

Elm rolled back onto her feet, and caught Joanna’s arms, staring her right in the eyes. Aura formed around her feet which clamped her down to the ground. Elm twisted Joanna’s arms and threw her into the floor. That was when she felt the long golden aura extended arms of Vine wrap around her body. Joanna yelled as Vine threw her across the forest. She bounced across the soil and smashed against one of the rocks. She groaned in pain as her aura crackled, weakened all the way down to amber levels.

Joanna stared ahead at Elm and Vine; the skinnier bald headed pale man landed beside the much larger woman who dragged her hammer through the grass. Joanna cracked her neck, ready to continue fighting, despite having worse odds than everyone else.

Fiona rolled aside from Marrows gunfire, he jumped and bounced off one of the tall trees before his Assault Rifle transformed into a double ended Boomerang Sword, and he launched it towards her. She gasped, spiralling her Crossbow Staff around, taking the hit from the incoming sword. The impact broke her defence which also shoved her back a few steps. Marrow yelled with fury as he jumped down towards her and slammed the sword onto her staff. She fell to one knee and stared back at him, before forcing him backwards. She spun her Staff through her fingers and fired bolt after bolt every time it spun.

Marrow’s sword rotated so fast that it looked like the rotor blades of an old plane, easily shredding the bolts before they could even get close to hitting him. Fiona launched herself forward and smashed her staff down the top of his head before she extended the blades and slashed her staff up his chest. As he flew up in the air, she fired one of her bolts into his chest, and he came plummeting towards her. Fiona twirled around to roundhouse kick him in the gut. He grunted, thrown away from her and skidding across the dirt.

Fiona rushed forward to attack once again, but he stared at her and snapped his fingers, pointing at her. “STAY!” Marrow yelled, Fiona gasped, and her eyes widened as she felt her entire body stiffen. She couldn’t move, completely stuck in the pose she was in.

“No! Please don’t do this! You know this is wrong, I can tell! We’re trying to help people!” Fiona protested.

“Well you’re going about it the wrong way. I saw how people tried to fight back six years ago… and they were all slaughtered. We can’t stop Salem… there’s no point in us trying to fight back. Just… survive as best you can.” Marrow sighed, sounding like even he did not believe his own words.

“Is that what you really think? Or is that what Killian taught you in the Black Cells?” Fiona questioned, he held her arm, ready to bind her but he froze as she said those words.

On the other side of the skirmish, Harriet yelled with fury as she shot forward, her body surrounded by crackling golden electricity, which even made her eyes shine brighter as well. But May just smirked as she got closer, vanishing on the spot. Harriet gasped as she was suddenly close lined by May who reappeared, arm extended with a grin on her face. Harriet crashed across the ground then went to strike once again. She stopped her fist with her staff, the sparks of golden electricity burst from the impact, then she shot aside and hit May repeatedly from all sides, moving faster than light.

Harriet zoomed up into the air behind her and dove down, smashing both her feet down onto May’s back, shoving her down against the ground. Harriet grabbed her Gravity Dust Restrainers to try and stop May, but she vanished once again, making it harder for Harriet to find her other wrist. May suddenly spun around and kicked Harriet in the jaw. She looked around as she tried to find May, only to suffer one hell of a beating. May threw punch after punch into Harriet’s face. Harriet fell to one knee, only for May to swing hers right up into Harriet’s nose, and grabbing her by the face and pummelling her down into the ground.

Harriet zoomed away from May’s Crossbow Staff as it stabbed down at where her head just was. Harriet launched herself forward and threw a clump of dirt at where she heard May, and the dirt stuck to her clothes, seemingly floating in the air. “There you are!” Harriet yelled as she shot forward to throw lightning-speed punched over and over into May, then she jumped up and roundhouse kicked May in the side of the head. It ended her invisibility and sent the Happy Huntress tumbling through the grass.

The Hare charged towards her and grabbed May by the throat, smashing the back of her head against the ground over and over again. May kicked Harriet in the gut with both feet before rolling backwards, catching her Staff and throwing it towards the smallest Ace Ops member. But just as it came towards her, time slowed from Harriet’s perspective as she engaged her semblance. She ran forward, ducking under the Crossbow Staff as it hovered over her head and she ran right up to May and uppercutted her. The powerful punch launched May into one of the trees.

She shook her head in pain, before Harriet threw the same Staff right back at May, only missing her head by an inch when she moved. Harriet leapt towards her and pinned her by the throat with her arm. “How many people are you gonna let die before you get with the picture?” Harriet hissed.

“A hell of a lot less if Salem remains in charge!” May barked back, headbutting Harriet and grabbing her staff from the tree, standing her ground.

Robyn on the other hand continued to fight off Clover, who kept firing his pistol at her as he walked forward. Robyn blocked each shot with her Fan before she ran forward with a furious yell. She slashed across his chest with the blades, and kicked him in the chest, firing a bolt towards him. Clover rolled aside and he extended the line of his Fishing Rod which wrapped around her Crossbow Arm once more, but this time Robyn started to purposefully wrap the cable around her arm, to reel him in instead. His eyes widened and she jumped and spun through the air, the action threw him forward, and she brought both boots down onto his chest, smashing him down against the ground. Robyn let the cable fall from her arm and aimed her Crossbow at her enemy’s head.

But Clover fired his gun into the ground, creating a powerful explosion which injured both their auras in the process and sent the two of them hurtling through the air. Robyn pushed her feet against a tree and jumped at him. She fired another bolt at him which scraped across his aura and he fired on her. The bullets flew at her and some hit her, but she constantly ran up close to him, punching him across the face and slashing her blades over his chest repeatedly. She then grabbed his arm and rolled across his shoulders and back, landing behind him. She twirled around to kick him across the jaw.

The Ace Ops leader rolled across the grass but dragged his fingers through the blades of grass as well. Robyn charged forward and she fired one of her explosive arrows directly at him.

But Clover just managed to duck it and continued to fire his pistol at her. An Ice Dust bullet flew her way and erupted into her hand, freezing large chunks of ice around her palm and connected her to the tree. Suddenly she felt her throat crush as the line wrapped around her neck and he rushed past her and held the cable over his shoulder to choke her out. She desperately grappled onto the cable as it grew tighter and tighter, but she started to become weaker.

Clover smirked sadistically as he heard her suffer, until he heard his voice. “Hey asshole.” The distorted voice of Dutch greeted; identity hidden behind the X-Shaped Helmet. He swung his fist directly into Clover’s face, knocking him back and he extended a super-heated blade from his vambraces, and cut the line down. Robyn gasped for air as Dutch drew his Assault Rifle and aimed it right at Clover.

“One of these days I’ll be the one to save your ass.” Robyn laughed.

“In your dreams.” Dutch replied.

“You…” Clover snarled. “Who the hell are you? You’ve been disrupting Black Gallows operations ever since the Rogues were captured six years ago.”

“Ooh someone’s been doing their homework.” Dutch chuckled, and Clover prepared to attack him, until Dutch swiftly revealed his scroll. “Uh-Uh… I wouldn’t if I were you. Unless of course… you want to risk Mistral finding out about all this.”

He revealed what was on the scroll – it was the Ace Ops holding the entire town hostage and him threatening to kill that woman. Clover glared at the screen and then at him. “Order your cronies to stand down and let them go, or I will send this right now to the Net. I’m sure the people of Mistral will be furious about this… especially since Higanbana has been very compliant to adapting to Salem’s rule, haven’t they?” Dutch explained.

Heh… well played, Dutch.

“And besides… according to radio chatter between you and Killian? He never ordered you to hurt any innocents… in fact… I believe his exact words were no civilian casualties. Would be a shame for you all to spend a few more years in the Black Cells, wouldn’t it?” Dutch stated, smirking behind his helmet.

He heard the sound of Joanna being thrown into one of the trees so hard it came crashing down. Vine swung around and brought his fist down into the side of her face. Joanna spat out blood and he pinned her to the wall whilst Elm approached with her Hammer, ready to kill her. Dutch kept his cool as he held his button over the send button. “Your choice, Clover.”

Clover glared at him, then at Robyn and then at his team. Elm held the hammer over her head to finish off Joanna and she braced herself for her end. “STAND DOWN!” He roared at the top of his lungs. The hammer just stopped over Joanna’s head, she flinched at not feeling it strike, shocked at hearing those two words. “Stand down… the mission is a failure… retreat.” He ordered.

“B-But… Our orders are to…” Elm stammered in confusion.

“RETREAT! THAT’S AN ORDER!” Clover bellowed as Dutch kept his finger on the send button, waiting for them to leave. Clover backed up and narrowed his eyes. “Who the hell are you?”

“Kinda the point of my mask, Ebi.” Dutch sarcastically answered, gesturing to the X-Shaped Visor.

“This is not over… count on it.” Clover growled as he walked backwards, retreating. Dutch took his finger away from his scroll as they ran away, and he shoved it back into his pocket.

“Thank the gods you showed up when you did… what took you so long?” Robyn sighed.

“Had to keep the other Black Gallows off your tail.” Dutch answered, keeping his helmet on just in case.

“You killed all of them?” She asked.

“Nah, just making them chase their tails on some false leads.” He chuckled. “Where’s Terra?”

“I told her to make a break for the Argus Limited and to get back home. She needs to get her family out of there.” Robyn explained, they turned to see May helping the injured Joanna. She coughed in pain, she suffered quite the beating from Elm and Vine, bleeding from her head and she looked like she had one hell of a concussion.

“We need somewhere safe to lay low, Joanna needs to heal.” Fiona explained.

“The Summit’s Claim?” May asked.

“Joanna won’t make it.” Fiona answered.

“I know a place; I can get you all some medical supplies. It’s out in the wilds, pretty remote and defendable. Haven’t been to that old safehouse in a while… might have to check the area for Grimm.” Dutch explained. “But first, I’ll head to Argus. Help get Terra and her family out of there and to the same place. Just get her there, we need to lose some heat.” Dutch explained.

“You got it. Stay safe.” Robyn said.

“Always.” He answered as they parted ways, completely unaware of Harriet who was listening nearby behind one of the trees in the woods.

“Terra…” She softly said, before darting off.

 

Blake

 

 Blake stood with Gambol Shroud in its Pistol Form, slightly shaking at the gun range. Her feline ears turned when she could hear the voices of Eryka and Winter nearby. “You sure this is a good idea? We haven’t seen your mother in a very long time… who knows if she’ll help us again?” Winter asked her as she readied her sword and dust cartridges.

“Trust me, I know what you mean. My mother has always been ruthless and unpredictable… but she did help us last time. I know it’s been six years and a lot can happen then… but we haven’t heard anything from the Vasillias Cartel in a very long time.” Eryka explained.

“Do you think they’re even around anymore? You think maybe the Black Gallows wiped them out?” Winter asked.

“I hope not… we need all the help we can get right about now. And the Vasillias Cartel have contacts everywhere. Or they did. Either way, I need to find her.” Eryka explained as she slung Constantine Damascus over her right shoulder.

“Eh… well… where you go, I go.” Winter assured, gently caressing her girlfriend’s cheek. “How the hell did you manage to warm my cold heart?”

“Oh c’mon you know how… my charming personality.” Eryka winked, which made Winter softly laugh. The two of them walked away, then Li walked beside Blake Belladonna. Yang was also here at the shooting range, here for anything they needed.

“Come now, Miss Belladonna. You can do this… just point and shoot.” Li assured.

“I… I can’t see. How am I even supposed to see the damn thing?” Blake huffed.

“The same way you have been living for the past six years. Focus… you will find it.” Li assured with a smile as he stood beside her. She slowly lifted her gun up and pointed in the direction she could hear the target softly swaying back and forth in the wind.

BANG

CRACK

CLAP

She shot multiple times at the target and Yang watched the target, but every single shot missed. Just like all the other times she fired, and the golden-haired warrior sighed sadly for Blake. The Feline Faunus growled, kicking a random pot across the floor. “I CAN’T DO IT! IT’S POINTLESS!” Blake yelled with rage.

“Miss Belladonna…” Li softly spoke.

“No! I can’t! I’m useless out here, I have been trying for days and I have made no progress! I listen as hard as I can, and nothing ever helps me!” She cried out with anger.

“Blake… you’ll get there.” Yang assured.

“How do you know, Yang? It’s not like losing an arm I can’t just –” She stopped and looked in Yang’s direction, noting her silence. Yang just lowered her head and closed her eyes. “… crap… I’m sorry. I… I shouldn’t have.”

“No… you’re right. It’s not the same, I’m sorry.” Yang sighed.

“No stop, you can’t do that. I was the asshole there; you have every right to yell at me.” Blake argued.

“Well… I don’t wanna yell at you. And you weren’t the asshole.” Yang replied.

“Why are you being so nice to me?” Blake questioned.

“Huh?”

“You’ve got every reason to hate me for what I did to you. I did the same thing to you that Adam did… don’t you hate me for that? For being the reason that Qrow and Raven got away?” Blake questioned.

“That… was not on you, Blake. Believe me… that was all me. It was my semblance… I… it’s a long story.” Yang felt her hands tremble at the memory.

Blake sighed as she stepped back and held up the gun and fired once again, but she could tell by the sound of the bullet just hitting the concrete behind it, that it was still just miss after miss. “What’s the point?” She sighed.

“Miss Belladonna… you cannot just give up. These things take time.” Li stated.

“I’ve spent six years coming to terms with my blindness… the first few months all I wanted was to kill myself. Because I knew I would drag Weiss down, that I was nothing but a burden. But I kept going and managed to walk and use my other senses to live a life. A peaceful life… and here I am thrown right back into the chaos. And I can’t do a goddamn thing to help anyone.” Blake stressfully panted as she paced back and forth.

“You’re not a burden, Blake.” Yang softly assured.

“Yeah? Well I feel like one… when Adam was here all I could do was let him beat me… just like he…” Blake paused and pushed her hands through her bob hairstyle. “And you had to save me, time and time again. You and your dad could’ve died more than once because of me.”

“But we didn’t.” Yang assured.

“This time. But next time we may not be so lucky.” Blake sighed.

“Then what are you waiting for? Take your gun and shoot the target.” Li said.

“I. CAN’T.” She repeated.

Li suddenly grabbed the gun from her hand with his cybernetic one and he turned to the target fast and shot three times. Silence filled the range, until Yang gasped. “Holy shit…” Yang said, staring at the three holes in the bullseye. “He hit it every time…”

Blake turned in his direction, and Li gently took her hand and placed the gun in her open palm. “How… how did you do that?”

“The same way I can see your short black hair… and Yang looking at you right now.” Li said as he glanced in the blonde brawler’s direction. He did not say it, but he could even sense Yang’s heartbeat, which was always elevated whenever she looked at Blake. “I am blind, just as you were, Miss Belladonna. But I learned how to see in many other ways. Yes, your other senses are the most important ways, but above all… you must learn how to see without your eyes at all.”

“That… doesn’t make any sense.” Blake stammered.

“I have learned a lot about Aura thanks to this place, I learned from the wise words of the Mentor who was here before me. Nicholas Schnee. And he learned from the Mentor who preceded him. By focusing your mind, meditating, and understanding how aura works… you can learn how to see the aura of all living things. It is how I can see every living thing here, and it is also how I learned how to see through the eyes of the Altum Eagles. Aura is a force that connects all of us, no matter the womb. Even you can learn how to do this, Blake.” Li explained.

“But… that would take years. We may not have that long.” Blake explained.

“The Advanced Studies, yes. Seeing through the eyes of eagles… even sensing other emotions in people. But opening your eyes to see them? That merely requires patience, at most a few months of constant training. And it will help you improve your skills as well.” Li explained as he walked around her.

“How would she do it? Sit with an Eagle?” Yang inquired.

“That is a method we do tend to use… the Altum Eagles are patient and do not ask for much in return. However… it can be done with people. The issue with that… is that it must be with the same person. Hence why we mainly tend to do this with newly hatched and imprinted Altum Eagles. They will cling to you, so it makes the connection a lot easier.” Li explained. “However we do not have any new hatchlings for a few months… so…”

“Okay… I’ll do it.” Yang immediately volunteered with a smile. Li couldn’t help but smile back at Yang’s endearing enthusiasm to help her.

“Yang… are you sure? This is a lot…” Blake softly said.

“We’re partners… well… if you still want to be, of course.” Yang nervously asked her, Li turned and looked at Blake. She paused for a few moments and Yang closed her eyes with grief.

Gods… I’m an idiot, what am I doing? I know she still hates me for what happened… she has every right to… I’m a stupid moron what’s wrong with me?

“Okay.”

Yang gasped and her lilac eyes widened as she looked at Blake, the feline Huntress looked at her with a small smile. “It may be complicated… but… I want to try and fix things between us, Yang. And… thank you… this really means a lot to me, Yang.”

A tear welled up in Yang’s eye and she wiped it away. “No problem.” She smiled.

“So… what do we do?” Blake asked.

Li smiled. “You talk… sit with each other… connect.” He said.

“Uh… what?” Yang asked. “How does that even…”

“What? Did you expect some sort of intensely magical awakening of aura, or something?” Li asked.

“Yeah.” Both Blake and Yang answered in unison.

Li couldn’t help but chuckle. “Oh no… it’s far more subtle than that. The two of you already share a very strong bond, a weakened one due to what happened in the Wildlands… but that bond is still there. I can feel it. You will have to spend a lot of time together… lots of one-on-one time. Train together, share a Yurt. And from time to time? Try to connect your auras.”

“Connect our auras?” Blake asked.

“It is an old and very intimate thing, but of course there are different levels. The highest is between lovers – where their souls are literally bound together. However there are smaller ones, where you can… essentially… join your consciousness together for a few moments. You could hear each other’s thoughts this way, speak without having to say a word.” Li explained.

“Like telepathy?” Blake asked.

“Precisely. Of course, it only lasts whilst your auras are connected. This method of aura connection is used between a Falconer or Falconess to connect with their Altum Eagle. Then they proceed to the second stage, where the minds are linked without requiring physical touch, and merely needing to think of the entity. The final stage? Is not just thoughts… even feelings, sensations, senses… everything would be connected. This of course is extremely personal and hence why only lovers would try this level. Like I did with my wife…” He revealed with a proud smile.

Blake and Yang looked at each other and Yang gently rubbed her neck nervously. “As you can see, Miss Xiao Long… it is a very daunting proposition you have given to Blake. Are you sure you are ready for such a long task to help her?” Li inquired.

Yang looked and Blake and smiled, gently holding her hand. “Yeah… I am. I want to help her in any way I can.” She assured with a smile.

Li smiled back as Blake blushed slightly. “Well then… let’s begin.”

 

Pyrrha

 

The next morning…

Sunshine bled through her slightly opened windows; small flakes of dust hung the air. It was years since Pyrrha had slept in her old bedroom… and it looked exactly as she left it. Her big bed of dark wood creaked as she laid there and softly groaned. She looked at her clock on the bedside table.

08:37

She leant upwards, long messy bed hair, and she rubbed her still sleepy eyes. Old posters and awards of her achievements still sat where they left them. Juno and Anaximander clearly never expected their dead daughter to return to them one day. She slowly put her clothes back on, alongside an old hoodie she had in the cupboard. She brushed her teeth and stopped as she saw her old armour she had on a small mannequin. Back when she was only five years old.

She could remember those days so clearly. Like Ruby, she always knew that a Huntress was what she always wanted to be. Memories flashed into her eyes, of when she trained with Juno and Anaximander, sparring in the courtyard. Throwing her small discus shield and calling it back with her polarity. It took her a while, but she always figured out how to do it. She walked down the stairs and slowed as she saw that Cinder, Ruby and Penny were still here.

Ruby and Penny were still asleep together on the couch but sat in the shadows was Cinder. Her one amber eye watching her from the darkness, sternly. In her hand she kept forming an obsidian dagger, spinning it through her fingers and shattering it, then reforging it again. Pyrrha stared back but she just kept on walking. She scratched her head and approached the courtyard.

Flop.

That was what she felt, best word for it. A white towel was now over her head, warm and smelling fresh. She sluggishly pulled it from her head, to see Juno stood in the courtyard with two training swords in her hands, dulled blades pressed against the ground. “Still not a morning person…” Juno chuckled.

“Mom? W-What are you doing?” Pyrrha softly moaned.

Juno suddenly launched one of the swords towards Pyrrha, and without even thinking she caught it as she stepped aside. She saw her reflection in the blade then turned to her mother. “Who are you?” Juno calmly asked her as she slowly walked.

“E-Excuse me?” Pyrrha stammered, Juno smiled as she pointed the blade of her sword to her daughter.

“Who are you?” Juno repeated.

“Um… Pyrrha Nikos?” Pyrrha answered, sounding confused.

“Are you? I mean… the daughter I raised never backed down from a challenge. And yet here you are, running away.” Juno said to her, then Pyrrha sighed.

“Oh forget it.” Pyrrha sighed as she saw Darkness blocking her path. You’re not real…

“Get back here!” Juno commanded with a raised voice, and suddenly Pyrrha felt like a little girl again. Like she did something wrong and was about to receive quite the stern lesson. Pyrrha froze, and slowly turned to look at her mother. “I know what you’re going through, Pyrrha. I do… you seem to forget that your father and me? We mourned you… for six years… we mourned your death. Believing you were taken from us and that there was nothing we could do to avenge you.” Juno explained.

“Then… we saw the Revolution begin. Hundreds… thousands… of brave men and women. Humans and Faunus. Working together to fight back against the monster who killed so many good men and women… and children.” Juno explained. “We wanted to fight back too, for you. To help the many other mothers and fathers who lost their sons and daughters to the Inhumane Necessity. Then Salem had them slaughtered… in horrific ways… and we just… stopped. Gave up.” Juno explained as she bowed her head.

She then lifted her head. “But in that moment? Before she had so many people butchered? We both really believed we could make a difference.”

Pyrrha still stayed quiet. “I can see it in their faces. Your friends. Ruby and Penny… even Cinder. They all have hope, they believe they can change things. And I can tell you do to.”

“You’re wrong. I can’t do anything.” Pyrrha sighed.

Juno suddenly shot forward and swung the training sword at Pyrrha, the Invincible Girl swiftly blocked the incoming blows. She threw the towel aside and backed up quickly, blocking every single hack and slash her mother made. She took her sword with both hands and pirouetted downwards towards her. She then slashed up her chest with the sword, cutting across her aura, and swiped Pyrrha off her feet, knocking her over. She pointed the sword at her face. “Why? Because Jaune’s dead?” Juno questioned.

Pyrrha gritted her teeth and smacked the sword aside and rolled backwards, landing on her feet. She arched her arm and kept the sword pointed at her mother. “Is this what he would want you to do? To just run away? Is that what the Invincible Girl would do?” Juno questioned as she circled her daughter.

“I’m not the Invincible Girl!” Pyrrha argued, striking repeatedly at her mother, before she threw her sword towards her with her polarity which broke her mother’s defence. But Pyrrha just stood there, panting with grief. Juno stood tall, looking at her broken daughter, who looked smaller than she ever did.

“What you are doing, Pyrrha? It isn’t going to help you. Believe me…” Juno assured.

“I wanted to fight back. I wanted to… but… I can’t. Don’t you understand? After everything I worked so hard to build, all the achievements? I still couldn’t do a damn thing to save him, and I couldn’t stop Salem. They played us like a damn fiddle… and the world I knew is gone. I failed… and I will fail again. I am not letting anyone else die because of me.” Pyrrha stated as she turned to walk away.

“Pyrrha!” Juno called, only for Pyrrha to bump right into Cinder who was stood right in the doorway, glaring directly into Pyrrha’s eyes.

“Are you serious right now? You wanna just bury your head in the sand? We followed you here… I left my little girl at the Summit’s Claim to help you three. We have a plan, a pretty good one if I am being completely honest. And you just wanna run off? Give up before we have even started? Because of what might happen? Fuck that!” Cinder yelled with anger as she shoved Pyrrha backwards.

“Get out of my way.” Pyrrha growled.

“Get over yourself, you stuck-up asshole! My home is gone because I risked taking you in. I could have just buried my head in the sand like you want to and kicked you out. Or hell, I could have turned you in and taken your bounty. But I didn’t, did I?” Cinder explained as she kept walking towards her. “I took a risk, and that got you back to what’s left of your team and your friends. And now we are going out there to take the fight to Salem and make things right.” Cinder explained.

She pushed her back into the courtyard again. Behind them, Anaximander emerged and gritted his teeth to stop Cinder, but he saw Juno shake her head. Beside him were the newly awakened Ruby and Penny.

“You’re luckier than any other person. You died and came back from the dead, and sure your fuckbuddy is dead, oh boo-hoo, but there are still so many more people out here who need you. And your friends are still alive!” She argued.

“I loved him.” Pyrrha softly replied.

“Then what are you doing? Use it! Use that rage inside of you, direct it at Salem! Hell, bring it! Throw it at me! Come on, have at it, Invincible Girl!” Cinder yelled as she held out her arms.

Pyrrha roared with fury and swung her fist into Cinder’s cheek, recoiling her back slightly. Pyrrha punched, again and again at Cinder, in the face and in the torso, but the Fall Maiden just took every punch, letting Pyrrha unleash that rage in her. She then caught her fist and smashed Pyrrha down into the ground. “Even now… you’re still holding back. WHERE’S YOUR RAGE? YOUR SELF-RESPECT?” She yelled at her, and Pyrrha just stared up at her as Cinder held her arms down against the ground.

Then she just laid there, just closing her tearful eyes. “I can’t… I can’t…” She cried as she laid there.

“Yes, you can. I saw it in your eyes there.” Cinder stated.

“My anger won’t stop Salem it will just get others killed.” Pyrrha said.

“No… not your anger. I saw your drive… I saw it again when you were fighting, you were focused when you were hitting me there. But now you are lost again.” Cinder said as she kept Pyrrha against the hot ground. Cinder released her and stood tall above her. Ruby and Penny both approached, and the Silver Eyed warrior crouched down beside the downed Spartan.

“I know it feels hopeless. But we can make a difference, Pyrrha. We won’t change things back to the way they were because things were bad then too. But we can make things better than both times. Take the best from both… but we have to work together. And we need you.” Ruby explained as she gently held Pyrrha’s hand.

“I’ll just slow you down… Milo and Akoúo are gone.” Pyrrha sniffled.

“You don’t need them.” Anaximander spoke up as he approached, holding Jaune’s broken sword in his hands. Her eyes widened when she saw it in his grasp. “The blade may be broken… but we can use what remains to build something new… by combining it with something of yours.”

“Heh… your old Training Sword. The old forge here still works, your father could easily combine them… maybe even use the excess to make you a second blade...” Juno assured. “I’ll go get it, give me a moment.” Juno said as she walked off. Pyrrha sat forward and Cinder looked at her.

“You can’t keep doing this, Pyrrha. You have to wake up.” Cinder stated.

“How?” She sniffled back.

“Find your end goal. I found mine in Amber… I wanted to look after her, and I will do whatever it takes to keep her safe. I’ll die if I have to.” Cinder assured.

“Cinder’s right. The goal that got me moving again was finding the Relic of Knowledge… and that lead to me finding Penny. And now it’s helping us find Creation… and maybe even a cure for Penny’s virus.” Ruby explained and Penny smiled at Pyrrha as she sat there. Pyrrha could tell Penny was still a little scared of her for what happened back at Amity… but Penny was still the kind soul she always was.

Pyrrha looked down at her hands. “Jaune died… and I couldn’t save him. And then I died… I failed…”

“Then get out there… and try again. Nobody else has that chance, you owe it to everyone not alive now to try.” Cinder told her, and Pyrrha looked up at the Fall Maiden who stood before her. Her words… they really seemed to strike deep for Pyrrha. She turned when she heard her mother approach, holding her old training sword she used to use, it looked a lot like Milo, however it could not transform.

“I will not be able to rebuild Milo, but I can make something that Grimm and Salem will fear. The Old-Fashioned way still gets the job done.” Anaximander said with a smile.

Ruby looked at Pyrrha with a smile, remembering the day she first met Jaune. “Not enough people appreciate the classics these days.” Ruby said, which made Pyrrha smile.

Yeah… the classics.” She replied.

Pyrrha looked at her mother as she approached. “So… my daughter? What are you going to do? Are you going to hide… and mourn? Or are you going to be Pyrrha Nikos once more?” Juno asked her with a smile, already able to see the answer on Pyrrha’s face.

Pyrrha looked at Juno’s outstretched hand.

She reached up and took it.

No More Running.

No More Hiding.

It’s time to take this fight to Salem.

 

Terra

 

It took her a while, but Terra managed to get back to Argus, just as Robyn suggested.

She kept a low profile, these streets once felt safe but not anymore. She had no idea if the Ace Ops managed to identify her or not, but luckily, she knew this city like the back of her hand. After she got off the Argus Limited, she stuck to the alleyways and used the shadows to her advantage.

Something’s not right… there’s a really weird feeling in the air.

She pressed her back against the wall, swallowing thickly, before she looked around the edge, seeing the Bounty Boards with the faces of the Happy Huntresses now added to them. Salem had a lot of names up there now, and she could see Mercenaries and Bounty Hunters reading them and heading out to try and hunt them down. But they were not the only danger, there were Black Gallows and Grimm patrolling the streets.

She jolted as the screech of a Sphinx erupted over her, and the massive Creature of Grimm soared overhead, landing upon the former Atlesian Base – Cypher’s Ridge. Now just another Black Gallows Garrison, where their airships would land daily, and Freighters would arrive to deliver their cargo. The docks constantly were bellowing with horns from the huge ships that arrived from Solitas.

C’mon, Terra… home… it’s just down the road.

She huffed, and she slipped out into a crowd, keeping her head down and her cap on, using the shade to hide her face. She did not see her name appear on the Bounty Boards but that did not mean she was in the clear. She kept walking and stayed as normal she could. Walking across the street when the lights were green for pedestrians, passing by the newly installed Heating Grid – courtesy of Atlas.

She looked ahead and a smile formed on her face. “Right ahead…” She exhaled as she approached the house, seeing the car was there. Saphron was home and judging by the time he would have been back from school by now. Probably waiting for dinner as she thought. Terra walked across their driveway and opened the door.

She froze… her blood went cold…

Saphron was sat on their couch, with this terrified look in her eyes, and Adrien was showing her a drawing.

Not Saphron.

Salem.

The Dark Queen was in her house, with an Armoured Knight stood right behind the couch Saphron was sat on. They did not realise it… but that Knight… was Jaune, his identity concealed from his helmet. “Wow… you really are a great artist, aren’t you?” Salem gasped with a bright smile, appearing to be so welcoming and friendly. “Does Adrien aspire to be an artist some day?”

“Oh… I uh… I’m not sure, what do you think, Adrien?” Saphron stammered nervously.

“Yes… I like to draw; it would be really cool to learn how to paint someday.” Adrien innocently answered with a smile.

“Oh I imagine you will be fantastic. Who knows? Perhaps I will get you to do my portrait? I would be honoured.” Salem sweetly said with a smile. Salem then turned her head when she heard the door lightly close, and that smile stayed there, yet her eyes said otherwise. She was staring right into Terra’s soul. She stood up and smiled. “Ah… so you must be Mrs Cotta-Arc.”

“U-Um… yes. Hello, Queen Salem. I must say I am… amazed to see you here at my home.” Terra nervously laughed, shaking Salem’s hand. As they shook, Salem pressed her other hand over Terra’s, her eyes flared red despite her smile.

“I have heard all about your work, madame. You have kept this city safe from so many dangerous people over the years. Your brother has told me all sorts of incredible things about you… he thinks the world of you.” Salem kindly said, smiling brightly.

Terra’s heart was pounding a hundred beats a minute right now. “D-Did he? Oh well… he likes to blabber a lot. I’m sure he’s just exaggerating.”

Saphron looked slowly at the Salem Knight who was soullessly staring down at her. It gave her the creeps and she looked away, turning to her little boy who sat next to her. “He’s incredibly proud of you. And… I am very sorry for everything your family has been through. Do know that I am working incredibly hard to fix the damage that was caused…” Salem said with a smile as she continued to stare straight at Terra.

Sweat beaded from her skin but she kept her cool. “Thank you… I really appreciate that. I mean… wow… the Queen here at our house? I never expected to come home to that.” Terra laughed, Salem smile and softly chuckled.

They all heard the microwave ding, and Salem turned her head to it. “Ah! I will leave you be I wouldn’t want to intrude on your lunch. It was lovely meeting you all, I hope we get to see each other again someday. And Adrien? Goodbye, my dear boy… and good luck with your art!” Salem gleefully praised with another bright smile that seemed was completely alien to her.

Jaune walked around the sofa, glancing at the photograph of him, Saphron, Terra and Pyrrha on the wall. He stared at it for a few moments. “My Knight… let us leave these fine people to their dinner.” Salem commanded, and he silently followed her. She walked away and closed the door behind her. The two of them vanished into a portal as if they had never appeared at all.

Saphron burst from her seat and ran to Terra, hugging her tight and kissing her repeatedly with a terrified cry. “Where were you?” She cried out. “You said you would be back hours ago!”

“It went to shit; we need to go… Oh gods… Salem knows… they know…” Terra stammered. “Pack your things, all essentials. We need to go.”

“But… just stay out of this! Please!” Saphron begged.

“Saph… honey… that was a threat. Salem knows I’m involved now; we won’t make it to midnight if we stay here. They’ll lock us up in Black Cells. We. Need. To. Leave.”

KNOCK

KNOCK

KNOCK

The sudden pounds made Saphron scream with shock and Adrien hugged her leg with fear. Terra cautiously approached the door, and opened it, hand on the gun holstered on her hip. She sighed with relief. “Thank the gods…” She sighed as Dutch walked inside.

“You need to be fast; I have a safehouse. You all need to come with me, now.” Dutch ordered.

“Dutch… Salem was here.” Terra stammered.

“I know, I saw her leave. Damn it… this is our fault… one of them must have overheard us. Killian must have informed Salem.” Dutch explained.

The look of betrayal on Terra’s face… she knew she had turned on him by helping Robyn, so that was no shock that he’d be angry… but the fact he flat out told Salem? She never thought he’d do that. “What the fuck… so much for Family.” She scoffed.

“The fact Salem didn’t kill you says a lot, Terra.” Dutch said as he helped Saphron pack some clothes and important things.

“What?” Saphron asked.

“It means Killian begged her not to. Believe me… she would have killed all of you instead of a friendly chat. But make no mistake, the Black Gallows are coming. So we have to go. Now.” Dutch told them.

It didn’t take long, Saphron held Adrien close as she and Terra followed Dutch through the streets, and they found his armoured truck he managed to steal from the Black Gallows. And by the looks of things, he managed to destroy every single tracker built into the thing so Killian could not find them.

They left their home behind and drove away into the setting night.

But now they knew…

Salem knew they were onto her…

 

 

Chapter 19: Team C.P.P.R

Chapter Text

The Three Months…

 

To heal wounds it takes time…

And if they were going to truly go after Salem, they needed to heal every last one. From Blake and Yang’s bond slowly beginning to repair to Pyrrha training in her Ancestral Home, they all needed to take every single chance they could to improve. Pyrrha rushed towards her mother and she threw the training sword towards her, but Juno deflected it with perfect speed, using her Spartan Shield, and then Pyrrha jumped towards her, slamming her sword down at her.

Juno stopped her strike and smirked, kicking Pyrrha away. In the background, Ruby and Penny watched her spar, and they turned with bright smiles as Anaximander approached with a plate of freshly baked cookies. No matter how dark things got, Ruby Rose would always love cookies. Her huge silver eyes sparkled with delight and she squealed as she grabbed them.

Penny couldn’t eat them, but just seeing Ruby like that made her laugh. Cinder on the other hand was stood against one of the pillars with her arms crossed, watching Pyrrha fight. Pyrrha stared back at her mother and she called her swords back into her hands, and she attacked once more, sliding across the sand and just dodging the spear that Juno drove down into the ground. She jumped up and kicked Juno in the back, but when she went to strike, Juno still knocked her down with a single roundhouse kick.

Pyrrha landed and groaned with frustration.

Whereas in the Summit’s Claim, Blake and Yang spent more time together. She pointed Gambol Shroud forward and fired it at the target, still missing every single time. Anger continued to fall over her mind with every time she heard the bullets hitting the stone behind the straw target. Blake’s hands clenched around the gun’s grip and Yang could see her frustration. The two of them sat together and talked, about random things at first. Doing exactly what Li suggested.

It was… awkward… at first.

Just spending so much time around someone all the time? It even started to get tiring, especially whenever the subject of the Atlesian Wildlands came up, but Yang never gave up on her. And Blake couldn’t give up either.

She wanted to see again, in some form or shape… she wanted to see the people she cared for.

She wanted to see what Yang looked like after these six years.

Li watched as the two of them sat together and talked, spending time with the Altum Eagles, and he smiled.

As the days turned to weeks, Pyrrha continued to train, harder and harder. Either against Juno, or against the rest of her new team. She rushed towards Ruby who launched Black Thorn at the Spartan. The polarity shoved them aside as they flew forward, then Pyrrha slashed her swords down towards her.

She now had her new weapons, forged by her father.

Ira Red and Crocea Mortem.

Combining the remnants of who was lost – Crocea Mors – with her old training sword she used before she created Milo and Akoúo. Her old weapons were lost and destroyed, so learning to fight with dual swords was completely new to her, but this was Pyrrha Nikos. The Huntress of Legend, the one who nobody could beat.

And with every day that passed… that girl was coming back.

Pyrrha slashed the two Falchions towards Ruby, kicking her in the chest, but Ruby flew around her in a flurry of red rose petals. She landed behind her and fired Black Thorn in their revolver forms at her. Pyrrha deflected the bullets with the swords, but still took a few hits. She growled with frustration, then took her two swords and combined them together, the weapons transformed into a Rifle – just like Milo – and she fired shot after shot at Ruby.

The Red Rose rolled aside and slashed the bullets out of the air, before she blasted forward and corkscrewed through the air. Her sickles cut across Pyrrha’s aura protected body which stumbled her backwards. Ruby then jumped and wrapped her legs around Pyrrha’s head and brought her body downwards, smashing Pyrrha against the ground. Pyrrha tumbled across the sand and drove her swords into the floor, staring back at her.

She turned to her mother who watched her fight, arms crossed.

“Again.”

Blake and Yang continued, every single day just like Li told them. Blake sat with Yang at a peaceful spot beside a beautiful blossom tree, looking out at the world. Yang smiled as she glanced at her friend, then Blake started to battle against Yang as well in training sessions. Dodging Yang’s blows and slashing Gambol Shroud every chance she could. Her shadows caused Yang to stumble through her, then Blake appeared beside her and kicked Yang in the jaw. She staggered and chuckled, cracking her neck.

The two continued to spar, but Blake kept making the same mistakes, trying to focus solely on sound, which meant Yang could easily get the upper hand from time to time. And when they weren’t sparring? She tried against at the Targeting Range, firing shot after shot, still missing every time.

She sighed and turned to Yang, about to say it wasn’t working.

Until… from the darkness of her blind eyes… she saw a faint golden shimmer where Yang was standing.

It was…

… she just had to keep failing… until she didn’t.

Weeks continued to pass by…

Pyrrha was now clad in her new armour, her red hair braided into a long tail and wearing her old circlet that her family had stored away after all these years. The only part of her they could find from the ruins that was still intact. Her armour, still Spartan Styled but complemented with the colours of Jaune’s armour and bearing red sashes and cloth around her body. She rushed towards her mother who spun her Spear through her fingers and Pyrrha slashed both Ira Red and Crocea Mortem down with all her might, firing the guns in the blades at her mother. She jumped and flipped backwards, then Juno threw her spear towards Pyrrha.

Polarity wrapped around the huge weapon and she slingshot it right back at her. It narrowly missed Juno and buried itself into the nice wall, Juno narrowed her eyes at her daughter. Pyrrha giggled and smiled, which made Juno smile right back.

It’s been too long since I’ve seen that smile.

Pyrrha charged back towards her mother who pulled the spear from the Adobe Bricks and she also charged towards her daughter. They both jumped forward and collided their weapons together. Pyrrha slammed Ira Red up the spear to break Juno’s defence and proceeded to twirl around and throw Crocea Mortem towards her mother. Juno swiftly raised her shield and the sword scraped across the bronze plating, before Pyrrha called it back to her palm.

Pyrrha sprinted and jumped, slashing crossways at her mother who ducked and slid backwards, thrusting forward with her Spear, but Pyrrha continuously dodged and used her Polarity to subtly push the spear aside just like she always did. She then jumped and rolled over her mother’s shoulders, hooking her two swords underneath her mother’s chin and throwing her across the courtyard.

Juno landed on both feet and looked at her daughter with a proud smile.

Pyrrha was not the only one who was improving.

As Blake and Yang sparred at the Summit’s Claim, the Blind Faunus moved faster than ever, dodging Yang’s attacks easier than ever, moving just as she used to. Like water flowing through a canyon, nothing could get in her way. She swung around and kicked Yang across the snowy surface.

When they didn’t spar, she was easily stacking and balancing the stones as Amber watched with a bright and happy smile. And finally, she raised her gun and fired it at the Target.

The first two missed… but the next five hit the target…

… and the final shot…

… directly hit the bullseye.

Yang smiled with pride at Blake’s massive improvement over the years, then Blake turned to look at her. Her ears perked up and she gasped…

“What is it?” Yang asked.

Her hair… her eyes…

She looks exactly as I remember…

From Blake’s perspective, her surroundings still looked dark, but she could see Yang stood before her. Not in the same way that others would see someone though, she could see her body and features and clothes, but surrounding her body was a bright golden glow. Just as Li said, she could see Yang’s aura. She turned to look at Weiss and the same was there for her now, she could see Weiss Schnee in all her beauty, surrounded by a shining blue light around her.

She then looked down at her own hands… and she could see them… surrounded by a beautiful purple glow. Tears began to stream from her blinded eyes as she fell to her knees and began to cry… with tears of joy. Yang and Weiss quickly rushed to her side to support her, but she immediately wrapped her arms around Yang and Weiss.

Finally… after six years… she could see them.

Back at the Nikos’ Estate, Pyrrha charged towards Ruby, Penny and Cinder. She slid underneath Floating Array as it spun towards her and jumped up in the air, slicing her dual swords across both Ruby and Penny’s chests, knocking them backwards. Cinder roared as she flew towards her and slammed her Obsidian Axe down onto her swords which Pyrrha immediately crossed together. Pyrrha forced her backwards and rolled away, and Ruby launched towards the Spartan.

Pyrrha blocked and parried all of Ruby’s blows, and swiped her off her feet, and her emerald eyes widened when she saw Penny charging up her laser. Pyrrha rolled aside as the green laser fired at where she was last stood, then Pyrrha threw her sword towards the Android. Penny ceased and flew out of the way, whilst Cinder launched her Obsidian Axe towards her. Pyrrha shattered it with Crocea Mortem, and she held out her hand, calling Ira Red right back into her hand.

Cinder smirked and her eye glowed a fiery amber as her hands conjured two burning hot swords. The two ran at each other, and Pyrrha hacked away at her swords, kicking Cinder in the chest repeatedly and rolling backwards away as Cinder went to blast a pillar of fire towards her. She combined the two swords together into its Rifle Form and fired it back at her. Cinder formed an Obsidian Shield to block her incoming bullet fire, but as Cinder lowered the shield, she gasped as Cinder launched one of the metal Weight Bars towards her. The impact shattered the shield into a thousand pieces of black glass all over the floor.

Ruby went to slash at Pyrrha, but she stopped the two sickles with Ira Red, then kicked her in the chest. Pyrrha jumped and flipped forward with both swords coming down onto Ruby. The Rose stumbled backwards, then Pyrrha pulled her forward by her weapons with her Polarity, proceeding to close line her with her arm. Penny flew towards the Invincible Girl but Pyrrha crossed her swords together to stop Penny’s advance. She then jumped and flipped backwards with perfect elegance. As Penny flipped through the air, Pyrrha then hooked both blades under her neck and they both came crashing towards the ground, Pyrrha landing on top of her.

Cinder fired multiple icicles at her, before blasting a powerful beam of fire towards her, but Pyrrha smashed each icicle before they could hit her. Then held the fire back with her swords, before she charged forward, and pinned Cinder to the wall with her swords. Pyrrha then threw Cinder into the centre of the Courtyard, and she charged right back at her.

Cinder formed the same Bow that was gonna be used to kill her ten years ago and she drew the bowstring back and fired. But as the arrow flew towards her, this time Pyrrha dropped to her knees and leant all the way back, narrowly dodging it, before she shot forward, hacking and slashing at Cinder repeatedly.

Finally, she swiped the Fall Maiden off her feet, then she grabbed her by the throat and pummelled her down into the ground with all her might.

And with that…

… she concluded the final Sparring Session.

Pyrrha panted, sweat beaded from her skin as she stood over Cinder. The rest of her new team groaned from exhaustion after the walloping they just endured. Then Pyrrha heard it.

Clap

Clap

Clap

Pyrrha turned her gaze to see her Mother emerging from the house with such a proud smile on her face. Anaximander stood beside her with a very similar look on his face as they beheld their beautiful daughter. “Welcome back… Pyrrha Nikos.” Juno greeted. A tear trickled from her eye as she looked at Pyrrha.

She sheathed Ira Red and Crocea Mortem crossways on her back, whilst Cinder got back up. “Ow.” Cinder groaned with a slight cough, massaging her throat. She then rolled her shoulder.

“You’re ready… well… except for one of you.” Anaximander said as he looked at Cinder.

“Eh?” Cinder asked.

“Come.” He said, Cinder followed him to the room where he would make weapons and armour. On the table was something brand new, something that made the Fall Maiden’s eye widen. “Out there you are gonna need every edge you can get, and you cannot always rely on your Maiden Powers. Here you have only used very small amounts of it, but as you said… you cannot risk using too much without Salem sensing it and finding you. Ruby told me you used to use Dust in your clothing… I hope you haven’t forgotten.”

The new outfit was beautiful, a dress with crimson, black and gold, and of course her feather on her hip like she always had. Cinder held it up and smiled. “Yeah… I’m sure it’ll come back to me. Thank you.”

Anaximander looked at her, the hate was no longer there, but she could tell he wanted to say something. “You have changed… you could have busted free from those ropes a hell of a lot sooner three months ago. But you didn’t. I ask you… keep her safe. We have already lost her once… we cannot lose her again.”

“You know I can’t promise that… not with how things are.” Cinder stated.

“I guess not… then how about this. Promise me that you will stand by her side, and not go back to Salem.” Anaximander stated as he stared right at her. She stared back at him.

“I’m not going back to her. I’m seeing this through to the end… but you need to remember. I’m doing this for my daughter. She’s all that matters to me in this world. So as long as your daughter doesn’t do anything that jeopardises her safety… we’ll get along just fine.” Cinder assured.

The Fall Maiden was never one to bow and say yes in scenarios like that… yet Anaximander couldn’t help but respect her reason.

“As I would for mine.” He said as he glanced at Pyrrha talking to her mother. “Good luck out there, Cinder Fall. When you need reinforcements against Salem… we will be there.” He assured.

“We’re gonna need you.” Cinder assured. “And as many other Spartans that are still out there.”

Cinder got changed in the other room and came outside in the new dress Anaximander made her, and she stood with her team. Anaximander and Juno lovingly hugged their daughter goodbye.

“Come back to us… safe and sound this time.” Juno begged.

Pyrrha smiled. “I don’t intend on dying a second time.” She assured.

“Alright… Team Copper. Let’s get moving.” Cinder commanded.

“Right… off to Vale… somehow. First stop Pietro so we can cure Penny… then we find Arcadia. And hopefully the Relic of Creation.”

Team C.P.P.R walked away from the Nikos Estate together, headed for Mistral by the looks of it. Juno held Anaximander’s hand and gently pressed her smaller frame close to his as they watched their daughter leave once more.

“They’re a complicated team…” Anaximander softly said.

Cinder Fall, her would-be murderer, Ruby Rose, the one who caused their team to crumble, Penny Polendina, the one she killed…

It’s gonna be hard.

“But they’re a team. I can feel it… they’re gonna change things.” Juno assured with a smile.

Hopefully…

… for the better.

 

Eryka

 

Whilst they trained and improved…

Winter and Eryka followed the trail and over the course of those three months, they searched for the Vasillias Cartel. But when they arrived at the main base that they went to six years ago… what they found was shocking. The entire location was decimated and left to be consumed by the overgrowth of nature, snow claiming the land. Winter looked defeated already, but not Eryka.

She walked through the snow, and she crouched down at the floor as Dulcis descended beside her. “They’re gone, Eryka. I’m sorry.”

“No… something isn’t right.” She softly answered, touching the boxes that were covered in snow and roots. Winter stood beside her.

“What is it?” Winter asked her.

“These crates… look at them.” Eryka said as she wiped the snow off the dates left behind. These were the dates of their arrival, and that shocked Winter all the more… because it really didn’t make any sense.

“These are only a few days old?” She gasped, that’s when she also noticed the rust. “How can there be so much overgrowth here… yet all the metal hasn’t got a single bit of rust on it? No weathering whatsoever…”

Eryka stood tall as she looked around, this was getting more interesting by the second. She walked onto the old airstrip, where there were small trees already growing where they once were. Dulcis shuddered and chirped in her ear. “Is he okay? He doesn’t do that often.”

“Yeah… but… I can feel it too. There’s something weird in the air here. What the hell happened here?” Eryka muttered to herself. She focused her senses, examining the landscape. A skill she learned as a Huntress.

Landscape is like a history book, if you know how to find the clues you can read exactly what happened here.

She turned her gaze and saw something interesting, the roots had something trapped inside. She approached it and pushed the leaves aside, she gasped from shock. “Oh gods…”

“What?” Winter asked.

“There’s a body… a Black Gallows soldier.” Eryka coughed at the stench of rot. “Nasty way to go… roots went inside his body, crushed him inside out.”

Winter stared at the buildings, covered in ice and massive icicles stretched out all in the same direction. “This… this is just like the Atlesian Wildlands. But… if there was a Cryostorm here, Li would have known about it. The things are huge.” Winter explained, she approached one of the massive spikes of ice impaled into the ground, gently touching it, it seared her finger and she gasped. “It’s still freezing, retaining it’s coldness somehow… this isn’t natural, Eryka.” Winter explained.

“No… it isn’t.” She agreed. Eryka continued to look around, finding scorch marks on the ground, she reached down and picked up spent bullet shell casings. “There was definitely a battle here… a damn big one.”

“How did Li not know anything about this?” Winter asked.

“Or more importantly… how come this only happened recently? I thought the Cartel went dark years ago, when Salem hammered down on the Criminal Cartels and Syndicates.” Eryka explained, Winter nodded her head in agreement.

“Do you think Lavinia could have been working for Salem for a while?” Winter asked.

“Maybe, hell the Cartel meant everything to her. She’d do whatever to took to keep it from being destroyed… but I also know she loved me and… Neptune. Maybe… maybe a deal went sour, or she was trying to use their arrangement to find out if he was dead or alive.” Eryka pondered.

“I dunno which answer to that would have lead to a peaceful outcome, to be honest.” Winter said, which made Eryka scoff.

“Yeah, tell me about it.” Eryka agreed. Winter stopped and she saw the large building that Lavinia used as her headquarters, just like everything else it was covered in massive roots and vines. Some of them did not even look like they belonged in this environment.

“Hey, maybe there’s something in her H.Q?” Winter suggested.

“Good idea.” The two of them walked across the brisk runway, passing by multiple dead frozen bodies, all of which were Black Gallows.

“Whatever it was that hit them… it smashed the Black Gallows forces to smithereens.” Winter explained.

“Did Atlas ever have weaponry capable of this?” Eryka asked.

“If it was just the ice then… maybe… it’s the vegetation that’s confusing me the most if I’m being totally honest. It doesn’t match with everything else. To have this much overgrowth it would have been at the very least a decade or two… but this looks like it only happened a few days ago.” Winter explained.

They passed by a couple destroyed Black Gallows Wasps, it looked like massive roots grabbed onto them and smashed them down into the ground until they exploded. But there was little sign of fire, meaning the cold must have extinguished them before they could have grown any larger.

The two of them approached the doors, jammed by roots and ice. “Stand back.” Winter said to her girlfriend, she closed her eyes and formed a burning Glyph upon the roots, burning them to ash and melting the ice. Once the blockage was gone, Winter swiftly forced them open, checking both sides. Eryka moved inside when Winter stepped aside, holding Constantine Damascus in its Shotgun Form in one hand, and Slice n’ Dice in the other. Dulcis flew inside and he screeched as he landed upon the handrail of the stairs.

“Anything here, Dulcis?” She asked him, he just squeaked back at her. “Well… he thinks it’s clear.”

“How can you understand him?” Winter inquired. “Never understood how.”

“If he squeaks its clear, if he screams at you, it isn’t.” Eryka answered. Winter just shrugged.

“Fair enough.”

Eryka walked up the steps, and she saw more and more dead Black Gallows soldiers, some had scorch marks and holes in their chests. It even looked like they were… running. “Gods… the last time we ever saw Black Gallows run from someone was… well… Valravn.”

“I wonder what he would have thought of all this?” Winter wondered.

“I doubt he’d have cared, all he wanted was to kill Silver Eyed Warriors.” Eryka stated. “I hope Ruby will be okay… she’s still haunted by what happened at Vytal. By Valravn.”

“Still?” Winter asked.

“Yeah, poor girl. I’m happy she has Penny with her though, the team she’s in can’t be easy. Penny might be the one person there who is all good with her.” Eryka softly said as they kept following the steps. Eventually they found themselves at Lavinia’s office… and they were shocked.

“This… it looks like there was some kind of explosion in here.” Winter stated, seeing the huge scorch and ice marks that seemed to spread from the epicentre… right where Lavinia’s desk was situated. The room was destroyed, nothing left untouched, just destruction everywhere. But as Winter looked around, she saw Black Gallows soldiers all pinned to the wall by icicles, still freezing cold.

“Eryka…”

Winter approached one of the dead bodies, noticing how unlike all the others… his helmet was still working. If only partially, but that was better than everyone else. She held the helmet and pulled it from his skull, she gasped and gagged at how his whole head was molten inside, still steaming hot from what also looked like fire. The combination of ice and fire damage was equally disturbing.

She cleaned out the helmet and fiddled with it. “His helmet was recording… I think I can rewind the footage to find out what happened here.”

Winter and Eryka stood over the helmet as the Schnee Huntress connected her Scroll to it, extracting the recording. She played it from the beginning to find out what happened.

Recording Start:

“All Troops, you have your assignment. Salem has commanded that we capture Lavinia Vasillias and eliminate the entire Cartel. Leave no survivors, understood?” The Obsidian Glaive commanded. Obsidian Glaives were similar to what the Ace Ops had become, Huntsmen and Huntresses turned into Stockholm Troopers. They were very rare these days, since most were killed, but they were still some who surrendered and were turned into these monsters.

All the Raven Talons in the Wasp spoke at the same time. “Yes Sir!”

The Wasps approached with the rest of their battalion; it was only here did they really see how large the Black Gallows contingent really was… it was a full-scale invasion force.

“By the gods… how the hell did a force that large get completely wiped out like that?” Eryka muttered as she watched the footage.

The Airships flew up the mountains, and as soon as the Cartel was in sight, they opened fire, launching missiles down at the base, creating huge explosions everywhere, and strafing gunfire repeatedly. Their Airship descended and landed, releasing the Black Gallows soldiers. They charged out into the battlefield, but they noticed something was off.

“The hell? Where are all the Mercenaries? The Cartel Forces?” The Ebony Sabre questioned.

They looked up at the base, and they saw Lavinia stood at her office with her hands behind her back, watching them. They rushed towards the base. “Capture Priority Target: Lavinia Vasillias!” The Obsidian Glaive roared, they rushed towards the doors which automatically opened for them. They all rushed up the stairs, and prepared to breach, and they barged into her office, keeping their guns on her.

Eryka watched the footage intensely. “Lavinia Vasillias, on your knees! Your Queen demands your presence.” The Obsidian Glaive commanded.

Lavinia chuckled softly at them as she watched the Black Gallows invade her base. “Does she now?” She asked. “You come here… and invade my property… and have the nerve to call her my Queen.”

There was that viciousness… Eryka and Neptune rarely heard it directed at them… but people who got on her bad side knew it was a sound to fear. She turned to the soldiers with a smirk.

“That bitch… is no Queen. She took my boy from me and forced my girl to hide. So go tell that pale faced slut to come and face me herself. In fact… I’ll tell her myself.”

Sapphire Blue flames ignited around Lavinia’s eyes, and she suddenly created the blast that destroyed her office, blasting freezing cold spikes and burning hot flames into the soldiers. They howled in agony as the ice pinned them to the walls and the flames melted their flesh under the armour. The footage from the dead soldier showed Lavinia turning to the shattered windows and she dropped down from the building and stood in the middle of the Airstrip and icy cold winds began to howl.

Only terrified screams could be heard, alongside the sound of massive roots erupting from the ground, crushing the soldiers off screen and bringing down the airships with ease. The footage glitched when there was a massive white flash of ice that erupted from the middle, and when the footage returned to normal… everyone was dead, and they saw Roots and Vegetation quickly growing as she floated in the air.

And then she flew off… leaving behind the remnants of the Vasillias Cartel.

Recording Ends.

Eryka’s eyes were huge from shock, as were Winter’s. The Vasillias Daughter stepped back and pushed her hands through her blue hair. “She’s… she’s the Winter Maiden… this whole time…”

“That’s how Lavinia has held onto her power for so long. Nobody would dare challenge someone as powerful as the Winter Maiden.” Winter explained. “And when the Black Gallows were all dead, she made the place look overgrown… to fool people into thinking it all happened years ago.”

“How did nobody ever seem to talk about it?” Eryka stammered.

“Lavinia isn’t a fool… she would have only used it to scare the leaders of other Crime Syndicates and Gangs into submission. Just like Pyrrha, she doesn’t broadcast her full power.” Winter explained, she turned and saw Eryka just stood where her mother was stood, hands still pressed to her head.

Winter stood up and gently wrapped her arms around her from behind, resting her chin on her shoulder and gently squeezing her. “You alright?” She asked.

“I… how long has she kept that secret…”

“She would have done it to protect you, Eryka. Hell… it looks like even the Black Gallows didn’t know what they were walking into. I imagine Salem knew… but I doubt she expected her to… well… do this.”

“I’ve never seen Maiden Powers that strong before.”

“I… I think she may be a fully realised one. She must have attained those powers a very long time ago.”

Eryka gently pressed her head closer to Winter’s. “We… we need to find her. Having the Winter Maiden on our side could really help us.”

“That’s not the only reason. Is it?”

“No… I lost Neptune… I don’t wanna lose my Mom and Dad too.”

Eryka turned to look at Winter, the white-haired beauty smiled and gently caressed her cheek and wiped the tear from her eye. “We will.” She promised, she then held her and pulled her close for a warm and loving kiss. They pressed their foreheads together and gazed into each other’s eyes.

“I’m lucky I have you.” Eryka softly said.

“Damn right you are.” Winter chuckled. The two of them stepped back and looked at the destroyed Cartel, seeing the aftermath of her magical power. “The big question now… is where do we go next? Hard to track someone who can fly.”

Eryka had a possible idea… though it wasn’t one she was overly thrilled about. She reached into her pocket and held an old photograph she always kept with her… one of her with little Neptune when they were kids.

A flashing memory burst into her eyes… when they were little… and that man broke in to try and hurt them… and Lavinia killed him right in front of the two of them.

“I know a place… though… it holds some memories.”  Eryka began.

“Where?” Winter asked.

“Lakeview Manor… where Neptune and I were raised. Our home, tucked away in the outskirts of Mistral… away from the Cartel and its business.” Eryka explained. “It’s been a while since I’ve been there… ten years… actually. I went there to talk to mom when Glynda called me about the Attack on Beacon. I know that place like the back of my hand… if Lavinia could have any clues, it would be there.”

“Alright… let’s go.” Winter said, Eryka stood and took one last look at what remained of the Vasillias Cartel.

Still letting it all sink in.

“Yeah… let’s go.”

 

Ruby

 

Getting back to Mistral was just as simple as getting south of it, due to the Grimm being more militarised they became a lot easier to avoid, as were the Black Gallows.

That wasn’t the nerve-wracking part, it was actually being in the huge city that was scary. Plus stealing a car made the process a hell of a lot faster too. “Hopefully, it gets returned to its owner, don’t really like stealing someone else’s property.” Pyrrha admitted, which just made Cinder groan and roll her amber eye.

“Gods… how are any of you goodie-two-shoes gonna survive out here?” She mumbled to herself.

“How am I still a goodie-two-shoes?”  Ruby questioned with disbelief.

“Because you said thank you to Anaximander about eighteen times in five seconds for being given cookies.” Cinder answered.

“I… well… uh… okay, yeah.” Ruby grumbled as they walked towards the walls, following Cinder’s way in.

“Come on, you innocent morons, through here. Never take the front door approach, that’s an easy way to get captured by the Stockholm Troopers.” Cinder stated.

“There’s no need to be rude.” Penny sweetly said.

They climbed through the crack in the wall, ending up inside of the walls hollow centre, and they followed her through the darkness. She lit a flame in her hand as they walked, and eventually approached one of the service doors. “C’mon, before a guard stumbles upon us.” Cinder said as she opened the door. “Hoods up.”

“Alright mom.” Ruby groaned, rolling her silver eyes. They all exited the wall and pulled up their hoods, hiding their bodies in their cloaks.

“Honestly… how the hell have you two survived this long? Pyrrha I can understand, she already got her ass killed. But you two?” Cinder groaned.

“A bit harsh.” Pyrrha commented.

“Hey, I can be stealthy.” Ruby defended. “I just don’t like being bossed around.”

“No wonder you were made team leader.” Cinder chuckled. “Look at the end of the day this sort of business is my forte. Infiltration and staying out of sight, so just follow my lead and we can get the things we need from the markets without being spotted.”

“Any ideas on how to actually cross the sea between Anima and Sanus? I mean… we could stowaway on a boat. Sun-Style.” Ruby suggested.

“Too risky these days. Security is through the roof these days. You sneeze and a Black Gallows soldier will appear with a handkerchief and a gun.” Cinder stated.

“In that order?” Penny asked, making Cinder groan once again.

“It’s a joke… gods I feel like Torchwick.” She sighed.

“I can tell that hurt for you to say.” Ruby chuckled.

“Shut up.” Cinder sighed again.

They approached the Market District, where there were talented performers dancing around on a stage with joyful music playing alongside them. Despite how dark things became, it always made Ruby happy to see people making the best of this new world. But as she watched, the joyful scene was sucked away when she saw a Nevermore perched on one of the buildings, watching the streets.

“Careful, Nevermore.” She whispered.

“Yeah, I see it.” Pyrrha agreed.

“We can’t stay up here for too long, either that Nevermore will spot us or someone else will. Come on, we should head down into the lower levels, the Black Markets will have what we need and more.” Cinder assured, they walked down the steps as Black Gallows military continued to patrol with black Paladins marching past.

“It’s still strange… seeing them in such a massive force in every city. Is it like this everywhere? Even up in Atlas or over at Vacuo?” Pyrrha asked.

“Yep. The Black Gallows are the only Military now, all the others just got absorbed into them. Some tried to fight… but… well… they met the same fate all the other revolutionaries did.” Ruby answered as she looked around ever so subtly.

“Yet another reason to get out of here fast. Travelling on the road and the wilds will be safer than here.” Cinder stated.

They kept walking through the streets, still seeing all the joyful performers dancing around the street with colourful clothing. Cinder passed by someone who coughed in immense pain, blood spluttering from their lips. “Is he okay?” Pyrrha asked as she turned to help but Ruby kept her walking.

“No… but there’s nothing we can do for him.” Ruby stated.

“W-Why?” Pyrrha asked.

“He has Noctis Putrida. It’s a really serious disease, one that’s appeared in recent years. It kills you slowly but there is no cure for it.” Cinder explained.

“Gods… how recent?” Pyrrha asked.

“Not long after the Inhumane Necessity. Nobody knows when it started but… well… it’s killed hundreds maybe thousands. But it isn’t contagious.” Cinder assured.

“Then how did it spread?” Pyrrha asked.

“It didn’t spread. It’s a cancer, so to speak. Caused by specific circumstances, I’m not overly sure on the details. The big link seems to be excessive inhalation of Dust, like in the Dust Mines.” Cinder explained.

“Gods… looks like a horrible way to die.” Pyrrha sighed.

“It is… but we can’t help him. He’s too far gone.” Ruby stated sadly. “Look at him, he can’t even stand up.”

“Come on, we need to keep moving.” Cinder said as they continued to walk through the streets. They turned round the corner and saw more markets, however it looked far safer here. The Nevermore could not see them over here and there were no Black Gallows. They walked down the steps and she heard both Ruby and Pyrrha groan.

“Argh…”

“Hungry…”

Penny looked at them both and she just rubbed their backs. “Does this help?” Penny asked.

“No… but thanks for trying.” Ruby answered.

“Well maybe you shouldn’t have eaten all the food that the Nikos Parents gave us on the trip here.” Cinder stated.

“We were hungry!” Ruby argued.

“Well we can’t buy any, we barely have enough lien to afford the ammo we need.” Cinder stated. “Ahem… you need.” She replied, smirking at the two gun-users.

“Well what do you want us to do? I can’t just stop being hungry. And we need food, eventually.” Ruby shrugged.

“Hmm… well… there is something we can do.” Cinder softly said as she approached one of the fruit stands.

“What?” Pyrrha asked.

“Well… when you’re on the run from the whole world and really hungry…” Cinder began.

Ruby, Pyrrha and Penny watched her with baffled looks. “Wow that’s really specific.” Ruby commented.

“… nobody in their right mind would risk serving you unless they are in the Black Market. And you rarely see any Black-Market dealers selling food… so… it leaves you only one option.” Cinder said.

She slid past the stall and effortlessly took an apple without the Merchant even noticing, planting one hand on her hip and holding the apple up to her mouth. “You gotta steal.”

The three other members of Team C.P.P.R stared at Cinder with shock on their faces. “What? We’re not criminals!” Pyrrha defended.

As she said that, the holographic bounty posters of Ruby, Pyrrha and Penny popped up behind her, and Cinder was blocking the one that showed her face. “That so?” She asked with a smile, taking a chomp from her apple.

“Yeah. I’ve managed to survive six years out here without having to steal.” Ruby stated.

“Well… I guess you’ll just have to go hungry then.” Cinder sung as she flicked her hair from her eye with a grin.

Ruby, Penny and Pyrrha sadly looked at each other, not wanting to do it.

But their hunger was saying otherwise.

Eventually they folded, then Pyrrha attempted to steal for the first time in her entire life. She approached the merchant stand carefully. She grabbed a pear and tried to walk away, but she froze, her hands were shaking as she stood there. Cinder raised a brow, then groaned as she saw Pyrrha immediately go back to the Merchant. “I’m so sorry, I’m so sorry!” She cried out, and Cinder just pinched her the bridge of her nose with disappointment.

Ruby attempted to swipe a cookie from a small bakery but dropped it and immediately hid it with an awkward smile, only just managing to get away with her failure. “Oh gods… where’s Emerald when you need her?” Cinder grumbled as she sat down on a log, still eating the apple she stole. The waterfall which roared behind her helped drown out Pyrrha’s embarrassed apologies.

But as Cinder sat there, she turned and did a double take.

Penny approached, holding at least twenty apples in her hands. “How the fu-”

“There’s an apple tree over there!” Penny squeaked as she turned to it, and Cinder just sighed, pressing her tongue against the inside of her cheek. She then turned and saw Pyrrha coming back with the very apple she tried to steal.

“He let me keep it anyway!” Pyrrha squeaked happily, then Ruby approached with a cookie.

“There was a tiny Grimm Rat biting his shoe, so I took care of it for him, so he gave me a cookie as thanks!” Ruby beamed.

Cinder just sat there defeated with her finished apple and she just chucked it over her shoulder, burying her head in her hands. “I’m surrounded by innocence.” She groaned.

“C’mon, Cindy-Poo, let’s not waste time sitting around.” Ruby teased, walking with Penny beside her, the two giggled as Cinder’s eye twitched.

“Never. Call me that again.” Cinder groaned.

“Okie-Dokie Cindie Willie.” Ruby replied, making Penny laugh again.

“Gods… save me…” Cinder groaned.

They continued to make their way through the markets of Mistral, getting further and further down. The deeper into the Lower Levels they got, the scarier it got. The colourful look of the higher levels became shrouded in shadow and shifty individuals skulked past them. Down here… everyone was wearing hooded cloaks. If anything they were safer, but it still made them uncomfortable. Except for Cinder, who knew how to walk these paths, and she approached one of the houses and she knocked on it.

“WHAT?” A harsh voice snapped as the metal shutter opened.

“Open.” She answered.

“Wrong.” The voice responded and the shutter closed. Cinder glanced back at them and held her finger up, mouthing the words one sec. She knocked again. “WHAT?”

“Close.”

“Come in.” The voice said, unlocking it. Cinder turned to see the utterly baffled faces of her team.

“What?” Cinder asked.

“What kind of password is that?” Pyrrha questioned.

“Hey, don’t judge me, I didn’t make it. And besides, they switch it around randomly. Emerald introduced me to this place in the past. They sell all sorts.” Cinder stated as the door opened. They walked into the Shop, the Faunus who guarded it was a big Boar Faunus, and sat at the desk was the Shop Owner, covered head to toe in tattoos and piercings all over his face.

“Ah… Cinder Fall. How’re you doing darling? Y’know you still owe me a drink.” He greeted.

“Not in a million years, you greaseball.” Cinder replied.

“Ouch, my pride.” He replied. “Y’know it’s risky you coming here with that big bounty on your head.”

“Good thing I know you’re not stupid enough to try and turn me in.” Cinder stated, which made him smirk.

“Very true.” He agreed, and he took his feet off the counter and leant forward, glancing at the other girls. “You always travel with such pretty cronies? First that green haired chick then the pink and brown one… now these… also wanted… ladies?”

“What can I say, I seem to attract pretty people.” She then snapped her fingers at them. “Do not let that go to your head.”

He chuckled. “Well then, you’ve always been good for business and you’re always healthy on the eyes. What do ya need?”

“Ammo, best you got. Rifle and Revolver ammo, to be specific. Alongside some… what was it… mechanical oil?” Cinder asked Penny. The Android quickly nodded her little head.

“Ah something nice and simple, I like it. I’ll be right back.” He assured as he walked away and went around back. The four of them stood there, Ruby awkwardly tapped with her feet, and glanced at the Guard.

“Hi.” She squeaked, he just stared at her.

“Leave it, Ruby.” Cinder commanded.

“You know this guy?” Pyrrha asked.

“Well… I wouldn’t say I know him. He’s a reliable source of off the market trade. His gear has saved our skin in more ways than one. Watts never came here though, probably too dirty for him.” She chuckled.

“You’d think a snake like him would love it down here.” Ruby scoffed.

“That’s exactly what I told him.” Cinder said, then the man came back with the boxes she asked for. Including the Mechanical Oil that Penny needed to keep her body running properly.

“That’ll be one hundred and fifty lien.” He charged.

That’ll leave us with seventy-five lien…

We may have to rob some folk if we need more money. If only Em was with us… we’d be rolling it by now.

“So what’s this for? Another job like that one ten years ago? I remember that old team you had needed some good gear for that.” He said.

Ruby, Penny and Pyrrha’s eyes widened, and they stared at Cinder. The Fall Maiden could feel the glares pointed at the back of her head. They were not stupid… they knew exactly what happened ten years ago.  “You could say that.”

“Well… good luck. Until next time.” He said, they took the boxes and walked away but as Cinder walked ahead, she heard them all stop. She sighed and turned.

“Ten years ago…” Ruby scoffed. “Lemme guess… did he supply you with the rounds Mercury and Emerald used back then? Or the student outfits to sneak into the school with? Or hell… maybe even the I.Ds?”

Cinder just stared at her. “What do you want me to say?”

Ruby couldn’t find the words, none of them could. Cinder saw the fearful look on Penny’s face, and she even took a step away from Pyrrha, hugging close to Ruby. “The past is the past, what’s done is done. I can’t change that, we just gotta live with it. What do you want me to say? That I regret my actions?”

“Do you?” Pyrrha questioned.

Cinder stared at them. “I did what I did to survive. Judge me however you wish… but let’s get one thing straight. I’m not a good person… the only thing that matters to me in this whole world is my daughter. And I will sacrifice whatever it takes to protect her. Now come on, we need to get the hell out of this city before we get grabbed. And find somewhere to rest tonight when it gets dark.” Cinder stated as she walked ahead.

Ruby and Penny stood there and looked at each other, then they started to walk. Pyrrha could sense Penny’s fear of her presence, and she sighed, closing her eyes and following.

Anaximander was right.

This team was going to have a troublesome relationship, and things were hardly going to be easy from here on out.

 

Blake

 

“Do it again.” Blake softly laughed.

“Alright.” Yang agreed, holding up three fingers. “How many fingers am I sticking up?”

“Three!” Blake laughed, a bright smile on her face, something they hadn’t seen in a long time. “I… I still can’t believe it… I can see you. It’s… not like before I still can’t see my surroundings, but I know how to get around that. But… I can see you… I can see everyone here.”

“What’s it like?” She asked.

“Y’know whenever you see thermal vision? How all the hot things glow? It’s kinda like that but for people. Everything is still dark, but I can see people and I can see their aura.” She explained.

“Well… if it’s like Thermal Vision… then I bet I’m glowing bright as hell due to how hot I am.” Yang teased, making Blake laugh again. “I’m not hearing you deny it!”

“Shut up!” Blake giggled. Yang smiled adoringly at Blake, but she wiped it aside, calming herself down. They both sat at the bench, then Blake seemed to look… a bit more serious for a moment there.

“What’s up?” Yang asked.

“It’s been three months… I… I wanna start looking for the White Fang like we said.” Blake revealed, Yang’s eyes widened.

“You sure? I mean… I don’t even know where to start with that. I mean we don’t know if Sienna and Ilia are still alive. The Feral Ones nearly wiped them out.” Yang explained.

“I know… but I know Ilia. If anyone could survive the Feral Ones it would be her, and Sienna has her semblance. She may have died a few times already, so she could be low on lives… but she always comes back. And… Ruby is gonna need backup when they go for Salem. We have to try.” Blake explained, and Yang nodded her head and sat forward.

“Alright… you have any idea on where to start?” Yang asked, immediately ready to help. Blake and Yang still had some issues; however it was clear that their friendship was starting to repair. They turned when they heard visitors.

“Hey…” Weiss greeted as she held onto her arm.

“Hey, Weiss. Wanna join us?” Yang asked with a smile, Weiss smiled back. Clearly still nervous around Yang after the Atlesian Wildlands.

Strangely… Blake and Yang rarely spoke of what happened in the Atlesian Wildlands over those three months. But sooner or later they were going to have to talk about it.

They needed to be honest with each other.

“Sure.” Weiss smiled, then they saw Oscar, Nora and Ren were with her. They smiled and all sat down with them at the table.

“We’re discussing a plan to find the White Fang. Blake feels strong enough to get out there, so we’re ready to go. You guys don’t have to go if you don’t want to.”

“You crazy? Of course we are.” Nora chuckled.

“Can’t let you do this alone.” Ren agreed.

Oscar looked at all of them. “Y-Yeah what they said.” He stammered, making Yang laugh.

“Weiss?” Yang asked, and she smiled.

“Yeah… about time I got off my ass. It’s cold here.” Weiss shrugged.

“So what’s the plan?” Oscar asked.

“I’m thinking we head to Menagerie. I’m hoping my Mom and Dad are okay, and if they are they’ll be there. If anyone has information on the White Fang’s whereabouts, it would be them.” Blake explained. “Plus… it would be good for them to know I’m… okay…” Blake explained.

As Oscar sat there, his eyes shimmered and Ozpin took control of his body. “That would require crossing the Shallow Sea.” He spoke up, it was very easy to tell whenever he switched souls. The voice change was very apparent.

Yang sighed. “Did Oscar give you permission to do that?”

“Of course, I would never forcefully control him. You have my word on that.”

“How do we cross the Shallow Sea? Those waters are infested with Grimm.” Ren asked nervously.

“I know of a Port Town southeast of Mistral on the coast. We can easily procure a Sea Vessel there. Or we could stowaway aboard a Ship. Both are equally risky.” Ozpin explained.

“I know Sun would appreciate stowing away on a ship…” Blake softly said, she smiled but sadness was very clear on her face.

“It may be safer to go aboard a ship. It may take more time and there’s the risk of being spotted… but like you said… Grimm are everywhere in those waters. And they are nowhere near as dangerous to innocents as they once were now that Salem is in charge. So long as we keep our heads down… we should make it to Anima without issue.” Ozpin suggested, and nobody disagreed with the idea.

Except Nora, of course.

“Aww… I wanted to be pirate.” Nora grumbled, making them all laugh.

Blake smiled; it had been a long time since she felt this way.

Like she was no longer a burden due to her blindness

And now… after all these years… she felt like she could actually make a difference.

 

 

Chapter 20: Fractured Bonds

Chapter Text

Salem

 

He whimpered… the pain was indescribable…

In a dark cell, Adam laid with blood smothering his body, and he continued to whimper. Curled up in the corner, he was shaking erratically, like he had been left in the Atlesian Wildlands to freeze to death. Only it was fear, the cold touch of fear, it lingered, just like the pain under his hot sticky blood.

Salem walked out from the cell where Jaune was standing guard, holding the Relic of Destruction in his hands, blade pressed against the ground. He turned his head to the whimpered cries from the other cells down the hall. “Come, I think our work here is done.” Salem stated. She walked away and closed the door, with blood dripping from her pale fingers. She held out her hand as she approached the door to her bedroom, and she pulled a cloth to her grasp. She used magic to dampen the cloth and wiped the blood away as she stood at the foot of her bed.

But as she calmly cleaned her bloodied hands, she sensed something was amiss. She turned and saw Jaune stood there in the doorway, looking… confused. “What is it?” Salem asked.

“I… I don’t understand…” He grumbled as he pressed his armoured hand against his temple. “I do not understand why I am here… you created me and gave me a mission… to retrieve the Relic of Creation. But here I stand… here you keep me. Why? May I ask?” He inquired, she folded her now crimson cloth together and set it down on the table.

“I cannot risk you, Jaune. Your existence is crucial, and I have made you incredibly powerful. But you are not invincible. I cannot risk your destruction; your existence depends on the succession of my plan. So we will wait until we know for certain where the Relic of Knowledge is located. We know it is indeed in Vale… but if I send you to go after Team C.P.P.R now… you may not be able to retrieve it.” Salem explained.

“What do mean?” He asked with confusion.

“Ozpin designed the Vaults to only be opened by specific maidens. Summer already granted me Destruction from Vacuo. And using this I have been able to open the Vaults at Atlas and Mistral to retrieve Choice and Knowledge. Of course… Ruby Rose ruined that plan.” Salem explained. “But Creation can only be opened by Fall… and those fools have the Fall Maiden with them. Why waste the opportunity of letting them do all the heavy lifting for us?”

She then caressed his cheek gently and smiled. “Never underestimate the usefulness of others.”

“Then why do you continue to keep Adam Taurus alive?” Jaune asked.

“He is a symbol, for the Feral Ones. He keeps them under my thumb, and in combat he is exceptional. Killing him now would be hasty… but torment? Discipline? Well… nothing in my code forbids me from doing as such.” Salem explained as she walked past him, yet he still seemed… confused.

She stopped and looked back at him. She exhaled through her nose and sat down on the edge of her large bed and crossed one leg over the other. “Yet… something still troubles you.”

He stumbled but found his words eventually. “W-What… who… am I?”

Salem raised a brow. “I do not understand.”

“I… I do not know who I am. I have faint memories… flashes… of who Jaune Arc used to be, but they are not my memories. It was never my life… I do not know what I am.” He stated his voice was similar to Jaune’s, but it was darker. Much darker, and that was not due to magic, it almost sounded like a completely different person, but in Jaune’s modified body… and apparently… even some memories.

Salem pushed her hands against her legs and stood up and walked to the doorway. “Come. I believe it is time you had a brief history lesson.”

She and Jaune both walked through the halls of Evernight, down the stairs and following the torches that had glowing purple flames that danced back and forth. Salem approached one room and she opened the heavy door with ease, Jaune followed into the next room. It was a huge Circular Library, filled with hundreds of thousands of books of great knowledge, large and circular with Eight massive Stone Statues of what appeared to be Knights. But Knights from a time nobody had ever known. Jaune stared at the statues, then turned to look at the Dark Queen who stood before him.

“Do you know who these men and women are?” Salem inquired.

“… no… your grace.”

“That is because there are no history books in this era that remember them, because all the historians who could are all long dead. In fact… there are only two who remember the era of which I speak of. Myself… and Ozma.” Salem explained as she gestured to them. “This building… Evernight? It predates most structures in this world, the history held here is unlike any other in the world. It was old even in my time when I was born.”

Jaune just listened as Salem paced back and forth, telling him the tale. “In fact… this was the very chamber I used to practice my dance routines when I was a girl. You stand in the castle of which… I was born.”

Jaune looked at her in surprise. “My father… was an overzealous man, one who never wanted anything to happen to his little girl. He wanted to protect her from the monsters out there in the world, from the Grimm and the men who sought to hurt me. The beautiful daughter of a powerful duke… so he chose Eight of his Knights. And they all swore to protect me.”

She approached the statues and looked upon the first, and she closed her eyes with what appeared to be sadness. She pressed her hand against the stone. “The leader of these knights – was Ranked as Inquisitor. And his name… was Ozma.”

Of all the things Jaune was expecting, that was not it.

“He cared for me a lot, and the young impressionable girl that I was? I cared just as deeply for him. Then you had the Seneschal, his right hand. She was incredibly skilled in combat, and many feared her. There was also the Zealot, the Spartan and the Executioner. Alongside the Berserker and the Shogun.” Salem explained as she listed them, stopping at the seventh – the Shogun.

“They defended this castle against many threats and continued to serve me. Of course… Ozma and I… we became closer, forming a bond stronger than just duty.” Salem explained, her eyes glowed fiercely, and she clenched her hands into fists. “But that was all a long time ago, and eventually… that world and everything I loved… was gone. But I wanted to hold onto the memory of my Knights, and even after my world came crashing down into nothing but ashes… their name deserved to live on. So I continued to enlist those I believed to be worthy of replacing those who came before.” Salem explained.

She approached Jaune and gently pressed her hand against his chest plate. “And you… are my new Inquisitor.”

His eyes widened. “You do not have your legion yet, but in time you will. And with them we shall carve a new world from this… one that will be better than both mine and yours.” She explained to him. “One where dear Ozma… cannot interfere ever again.” She assured with certainty in her glowing red eyes. “Do you understand who you are now, my Knight? My Inquisitor?” She asked.

“I do, your grace. Thank you.” Jaune answered, sounding uncharacteristically emotionless. Salem walked past him, but he still stood there, and his head turned to one of the statues. “Your Grace?”

“Yes?” Salem asked.

“You missed one of them… the Eighth. Who was the Eighth Knight?” Jaune inquired, Salem turned and smiled.

“Ah yes… how could I forget?” Salem remembered as she approached the statue. “The most dangerous of them all…”

She turned.

“This… was the Deacon.”

The name caught his attention. “He was the most unpredictable, and that was why so many feared him. Because he would spill so much blood that those who would try and come for me, or defy me, would never dare to challenge me again. That was why he was called the Deacon – for he was my Messenger.”

She smiled at Jaune, walking away. Jaune stared at the Deacon’s statue, it commanded respect, then he walked away to join Salem. The Dark Queen concluded with one final statement about the Mysterious Deacon.

“Who knows… perhaps he shall rise again someday.”

 

Blake

 

Leaving the Summit’s Claim was always hard, but this time it was harder.

It was not like most times before, because they were not going to return unless they defeated Salem. It was like leaving home to join the Academies once more, but this time… it was to face the evil that took it all from them. “Thank you, Li. For everything.” Blake softly said to him, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug. He smiled as he held her close.

“You needn’t thank me, Miss Belladonna. You found this path all on your own, I was merely a stone you had to step over.” Li explained with a wise smile. She couldn’t help but reciprocate. Li looked past her and saw his Son and Daughter-in-Law. They both approached him, and he gave them both warm hugs. “Please… be careful.”

“We will. We’ve got each other, we’ve always been able to keep each other safe.” Nora assured, and Li smiled as he gently squeezed her shoulder.

“I’m sure my grandchild shall be a warrior thanks to the two of you. In a way… I hope Salem falls before the child is born. I doubt even she would be able to stop them.” He chuckled, which made them both laugh.

“Goodbye, Dad… I love you.” Ren softly said as he hugged his father. Li held him close, and they pressed their heads together.

“Worry not, my son. We shall meet again, and when we do… I will bring all the greatest warriors I can muster… to face Salem together. This I promise.” Li assured as he held his fist to his chest.

“Then we look forward to it.” Nora smiled, the two of them followed Blake, Yang and Weiss. But as Oscar walked past Li, the old warrior stopped him.

“Ozpin…” Li spoke, and the old Professor took control of Oscar’s body. His eyes shimmered briefly, and he turned, looking at the Summit’s Mentor. “I know who you are, and that you are hardly an angel… none of us are. But make sure that you keep them safe, for they are all my family. You do not want to find out what I can become if anything happens to my son or daughter-in-law. Do you understand me.”

A dark side in Li seemed to return there for a few moments, the Fallen Angel of old. Ozpin looked back at him and nodded his head slowly. “They are my students… I do not intend to fail them. So you have my word – I will protect them.” He promised, Li stared at him for a few moments but eventually nodded his head. Ozpin gave Oscar control once again.

“Good Luck, Mr Pine. And for the record… you are part of that family too.” He assured, which made Oscar smile.

“Keep Vernal safe, please? Amber and Vicky too?” Oscar inquired.

“You have my word.” Li promised.

“Thanks. Good luck to you too… I have a feeling things are only gonna get harder from here.” He said with a sigh, and Li nodded his head in agreement.

They set out into the wild together, headed to South-Eastern Anima where they could find the Great Savannah Plains of Anima. A beautiful landscape, so they say, one where wildlife of great variety lived, and even greater Creatures of Grimm.

They followed the paths, it was always the best way to find their way there, but they were always on alert just in case. The Grimm or the Black Gallows were always a threat and could ambush them at any given moment. Or… even the Feral Ones.

As they walked, Weiss approached Blake as they followed the path together. “Hey… Blake?”

“Yeah?”

“Can I ask you something? About the Feral Ones?”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Why… why do you think they serve Salem? You said that they were once the White Fang, but the members become too violent and fanatical, and were exiled from the Fang, right?”

“Pretty much, yeah.”

“Gods… that’s insane.” Nora shuddered.

“Tell me about it.” Yang agreed.

“But why serve Salem? They never cared for equality, just spite against Humans. And anyone who stood in their way.” Weiss said.

“Well… for that very reason. Salem needed firepower and reinforcements to hold onto power, she had the Black Gallows, but the Feral Ones were different. They are a cult at heart, and they now have the one that they worship.” Blake explained.

“They’ve gone from fighting against Tyranny to becoming the very ones dishing it out.” Yang sighed. “I kinda feel bad for them.”

“Don’t. People like that? They’re the reason why people feared the White Fang and helped validate Humanity’s Campaign against us. They think that simply reflecting the damage Humanity put us through would allow for change… but it doesn’t… it simply makes things worse.”

Blake slowed down and she pushed her hand through her hair. “It’s why I hate it whenever I hear the news reports. Massive improvements made to Faunus/Human Relations. End of Faunus Racism. It never ended it; it just made the racist ones hide. But once we kill Salem… I know they’ll start talking again.” She sighed, continuing to walk on. “Nothing’s changed… it’s just been paused.”

They continued to follow her. “This is why we need the White Fang. If we can destroy Salem, we can stop the Feral Ones too, and actually make some real progress to our goal.”

“I had a feeling there was a more personal reason behind you wanting to get the White Fang on our side. You’re thinking of the future… smart.” Nora said with a smile.

“Blake is right, we can’t just expect our problems to be fixed even if we kill Salem. She’s laid seeds into our society… chances our we’ll have Acolytes of Salem afterwards who want to continue what she did before.” Ren agreed.

“It’s a delicate circumstance… ugh… I wanna punch something.” Yang groaned, which made them chuckle.

“Yeah, never thought that the old days of killing Grimm in the Emerald Forest would be so appealing now.” Weiss agreed.

As they walk, Nora gently touched her growing bump. She was three months pregnant now, and Ren was constantly close to her. He gently held his hand to her belly too as they walked. “Hey… are you okay?” He asked her.

“Yeah, y’know… pregnancy stuff.” She giggled as she walked, Yang looked back at Nora and slowed her roll.

“Are you two… sure you wanna come with us? I mean… y’know…” Yang awkwardly asked as she gestured to the mother-to-be.

“It’s okay, Yang. I know my limits and I know when to retreat, my aura is keeping me and the baby safe. We wouldn’t have come if we weren’t sure we could help. And besides… you three on your own out here? Without me? Hell… you’d never make it back.” She joked with a big smile.

Yang couldn’t help but laugh. Nora was always great for that, no matter how uncomfortable, awkward or even negative things could get, she could always crack a smile.

Night fell, and by the woods they set up a campfire for the night. Nora was comfortably laid down beside her husband who gently caressed her pregnant belly. “Have you two thought of a name yet?” Weiss asked curiously.

“Not yet, we don’t even know the gender yet.” Ren answered.

“Oh it’s a girl, I’m calling it now. And when the girl is born? We’re calling her Freya.” Nora clearly already made up her mind.

“Was that an idea or has it been decided?” Ren asked her and they both chuckled.

Oscar looked at them and could hear Ozpin in his head. “It’s… nice to see this.” Ozpin said.

What do you mean?” Oscar inquired.

I knew those two back when they both formed their team in the Emerald Forest. I knew they had known each other for a very long time, and from the very start I knew Nora pined for Lie. But… to see this? The two of them… married… and having a baby? It helps me remember why I do all this… so then couples like them get the chance to be happy. To raise a family, free from the horrors of Salem and the Grimm. It’s why we must win.” Ozpin explained.

The sound of wildlife surrounded them, owls hooting in the trees, distant elk in the woodland calling out. And the distant call of a Nevermore somewhere. It was miles away, but the sound was always unmistakable.

The burning logs popped and cracked as the fire burned away at them.

“Any of you wanna have a family some day?” Nora asked curiously.

“Yeah.” Yang answered. “Someday… I’ve always wanted to be a mom.”

“You kinda were, to Ruby anyway.” Blake commented.

“I guess that’s where it comes from. It was… tough… looking after Ruby for as long as I did when Dad was shut down. But… I never hated it. I loved it.” Yang admitted with a happy smile on her face. As they talked, Weiss turned her gaze to Oscar who was fiddling with his watch again. She couldn’t help but giggle, which got his attention.

“What?” Oscar asked.

“Your watch.” She laughed. He looked back at his old mechanical watch on his wrist once more, smiling back at her.

“What’s wrong with my watch?” He asked.

“I have seen you messing around with that watch, every single day. For the past six years, you have been winding up that watch.” Weiss began, which made Yang chuckle too, and Ren smiled.

“I’ve wondered this myself.” Yang agreed.

“I’m missing the point here?” Oscar chuckled nervously.

“I mean… that thing looks so old. You could sell that watch for so much Lien these days, yet you don’t. You have your scroll and that tells the time instantly for ya.” Yang commented as she flicked hers out, showing the time.

“Yet there you are, still messing around with that old watch.” Weiss said which made him laugh.

“W-What can I say? I like the classics.” He shrugged.

They all chuckled then he glanced back at it. “Thing is… this isn’t originally mine. It’s my Aunt’s. She always loved to collect these things, old stuff. I mean you should have seen the house I used to live at, old stuff everywhere. Grandfather Clocks, boring old kettles… that kind of thing.” Oscar began to explain as he continued to mess around with it. “And I always asked the same thing. Auntie why do we always use this old stuff? It keeps breaking! It’s so slow! Waaah!” He laughed and so did everyone else.

He then turned the hands around and it landed on the right time. “That’s when she told me why. The world moves forward, you can’t stop it, and it will always advance. And it will leave things behind… it’s our duty to remember these things. It’s why we were gifted with knowledge, because with knowledge comes memory. If we forget where we began… then maybe, we forget who we really are.” Oscar explained, and they smiled at his speech. “But honestly? I think she was just weird and liked old stuff better.”

They all laughed at that.

“She was a wise woman your Aunt. I wish I could’ve met her.” Blake smiled.

“With how much you love Books? She would have talked your ear off.” He chuckled.

They continued to sit together and enjoy the campfire, but as the time went on as they talked, something hit Blake. “Oh… heh… I just remembered.”

“What’s up?” Yang asked.

“Today… is my birthday. I can’t believe I forgot about that… with everything going on I… never thought about it.” Blake said.

“Holy shit, Happy Birthday Blake!” Weiss beamed.

“Yeah, Happy Birthday.” Ren smiled back. Yang reached into her bag, and to all their surprise she set something down on her lap. She touched it and felt the wrapping paper. Blake gasped and looked right at Yang.

“Happy Birthday, Blake.” Yang smiled.

“You… remembered? After all these years?” Blake asked.

“Of course, how could I forget?” Yang asked with a bright smile which made Nora smile at the two of them.

“Well? What are you waiting for?” Nora teased.

“Oh, right.” Blake looked flustered as she started to open up the wrapping paper. Oscar and Weiss laughed when they saw it. Blake ran her fingers across it and shook her head, feeling the bumps and able to read the letters through touch.

“Ninjas of Love – Definitive Edition?” Blake laughed hard, which made Yang blush and smile back at her.

“Always knew that was your favourite.” Yang teased.

“Thank you, Yang… but… I dunno if I will be able to read it.” She sighed.

“Open it.” Yang said, so Blake did… and she felt the writing.

It was in Brail.

“Wait… where did you get one of these copies?” She asked.

“Li’s library. He had a lot of books in Brail in there. Was amazed when I found that one.” Yang chuckled.

“So… Li likes Ninjas of Love huh?” Nora teased as she glanced at Ren.

“Dirty old man.” Weiss teased.

“Alright, alright.” Ren chuckled. “I doubt he reads it.”

“I dunno Ren, your dad is a mystery.” Weiss teased, making Ren just roll his eyes with a laugh.

Blake held the book in her hands and looked at Yang. “Thank you, Yang… it really means a lot. Even if it is a little… dirty.” She joked, in which Yang winked back at her. She then rested the book on her knees as she thought. “Twenty-seven years old… sure as hell feel a lot older.”

Ozpin quickly took control of Oscar. “Oh don’t even start with that.” Ozpin chuckled, immediately returning control to Oscar once more. Blake giggled at Ozpin’s comment.

“Yeah… I guess everyone are children compared to you.” She teased, which made Ozpin chuckle in the back of Oscar’s mind.

As they sat together, Yang looked out at the beautiful sky. “It’s like old times…”

It fell silent, and she looked at Blake and Weiss, their faces changed. They looked at Yang and the two of them stood up and walked away. “Wait I…” Yang sighed and squeezed her eyes shut. Nora and Ren looked at each other and laid down together to go to sleep. Yang just buried her head in her hands with regret. “Shit…”

Ozpin took control as he looked at her. “Don’t worry, Miss Xiao Long. They will forgive you in time.”

“I didn’t mean to bring back bad memories by saying that… I just… remembered that night we were with Oobleck in Mountain Glenn. I just… wanted to remember the old days.” She sighed. “But even those memories are tainted now… because of me…”

“You cannot expect things to change immediately. Things like that… it takes time.” Ozpin explained. “Believe me…”

“I just… thought Blake and I made progress.” Yang sadly said.

“You have… you’re just going to need to make some more.” Ozpin assured, Yang looked at where Blake and Weiss were stood as they talked, away from Yang. She then looked at Ren and Nora who were now asleep.

Yang laid down onto her sleeping bag, staring up at the Shattered Moon.

“It was nice while it lasted… I guess.”

 

Eryka

 

Home…

Lakeview Manor…

Dulcis flew across the night sky as the two of them approached the large manor. The pebble driveway wound up to the front gate, and it was opened, and wrapped in vines. Eryka touched them and noticed the lack of rust here as well. “She was here. Doing the same thing, making the place look like it was abandoned for years to keep people away.” Eryka explained as they walked inside. They kept their weapons at the ready whilst Dulcis circled the sky.

Eryka followed the driveway, and she saw something before her. Ghostly memories, seeing herself as a child carrying a much younger Neptune Vasillias away when they escaped. She stopped and looked back at the gate, and Winter stopped. “Eryka? Are you… okay?” She asked her with a nervous tone in her voice.

“Yeah… yeah… it’s just that… this place holds a lot of memories for me. Not all of them are good.” She said as she walked onwards. The pebbles crunched beneath her boots as she approached the structure. She turned her gaze to the way she last came in here… once there were guards all over the place. She always had to fight her way inside to speak with her mother, and like last time… those talks usually ended in arguments. She kept on walking though and kicked the door open with ease before Winter could say anything.

Winter held her sword up and looked around. She looked at the roots and vines that covered the walls, finding bullet holes hidden behind them. She crouched down and found the spent bullet cartridges on the floor. She held one and sniffed it, finding the sent of used fire dust. “Yeah… the Black Gallows must have followed her here too, but it didn’t end well for them either.”

“No sign of any dead soldiers yet.” Eryka explained.

“Or Grimm.” Winter added.

“I wouldn’t doubt that they’re coming. If the Black Gallows couldn’t do anything then Salem will definitely send some of her forces to hunt her down. We should be fast.” Eryka agreed. She pushed past the fast accelerated bushes, and she found the kitchen. The same one she immediately made a sandwich in when she last came here, when she spoke with her mother before heading to Beacon to help Neptune and secure the situation there.

The day she would eventually meet Winter Schnee for the first time. Who would’ve ever imagined that those two would have fallen madly in love with each other?

Eryka opened the fridge that was held shut by the vines, cutting them loose with her sword, and she found that the power was still on as well, and still had some food inside. Alongside some drinks. She picked up one of the orange juice bottles and drank some of it. “Well… she had to get out of here fast, she didn’t even take any supplies.”

Eryka threw the Orange Juice to Winter and she caught it, drinking some of it. “Lavinia won’t mind, right?”

“Ah she has enough money to afford Orange Juice.” Eryka chuckled as she continued to look around. As she stood in the kitchen, she had another memory come flying back. Seeing herself chasing her baby brother around, giggling as they played.

Hey no running!

Lavinia’s voice echoed in her mind as she remembered her past. “It was so happy once…” She said with sadness and continued to look around. She walked through the large kitchen, ducking under the branches that burst through the walls, and she found herself in the old living room.

One more memory returned. She saw the ghostly apparitions of herself and Neptune sat together on the couch, watching cartoons together. But she could still hear her mother in the other room.

I don’t give a damn about what they say! Get the money from that town by any means necessary! If they refuse, go to the town and ransack it. Take whatever you can that will satisfy the debt that they owe us.

How they feel? Business doesn’t give a flying fuck about feelings, not a single one! If we start letting morals command us, then we might as well be digging our graves ourselves!

Now get that debt from them… or I will make sure that you will be in the ground in their place.

Despite how much Lavinia wanted to keep her business and Criminal Life away from this house, she failed. It always snuck its way back to their lives sooner or later, and Eryka always remembered hearing her mother saying such terrifying things.

“Did you and your Dad talk much? Back when you lived here?” Winter asked her as she followed Eryka.

“We talked but… well… the older I got the more I realised that he was terrified of Mom. Every year he just… degraded. In the end we had a Babysitter look after us most days, either he was never here or… Lavinia was always at the Cartel. Neptune would always ask me where’s Mom and Dad? I could never answer that… because I never knew.” She sighed as she kept walking through the house.

“I think I’m starting to understand why you took him away from here when you left.” Winter replied. “It’s one thing to hear you tell me the stories… it’s another to actually see the place where it happened.”

Eryka walked out of the living room and found the hallway that lead back to the front door, and also found the stairs. She looked up them and closed her eyes, her fists shook slightly. But Eryka walked up the stairs, keeping Slice ‘N Dice close. She walked up the steps and held her sword up, ready to cut down anything lurking in this old house.

But there was nothing here.

No Grimm… and no soldiers.

In fact there was not a single body anywhere. “This doesn’t make any sense. Where the hell are the soldiers?”

“I don’t know.” Eryka answered, she kept walking through the house, and she found her old bedroom. She stopped in front of the door, and her hand shook slightly. Her heart started to hammer, but she swallowed thickly and pushed the door open. She looked inside… and flashes of memory returned.

The Intruder who glared down at her when he tried to stab her in her sleep, and when Lavinia brutally killed him right in front of them. The event that scarred them for life. She stood in front of her old bed and clenched her fists, then looked at Neptune’s bed. What surprised her most… was that his side was not touched. Not a single piece of vegetation could be seen. Eryka then saw something that made her eyes widen… she reached over and picked it up.

An old photograph of Neptune when he was little. Tears streamed from her eyes and she held it close to her chest, then she smashed the frame against the floor so she could keep the actual picture.

“Hey… are you okay?” Winter softly asked her as she gently held her shoulder. Eryka nodded her head and wipe the tears away.

“C’mon… we need to figure out where she went.” Eryka was never one to open up about her feelings to people, but Winter was one of the few she trusted. The two of them left the old bedroom, then approached her mother’s office.

As she approached, another memory appeared. Not long before she ran away with Neptune, many men showed up, armed with guns, and she could hear her mother arguing with them.

The Vacuo Mafia

The same ones she had all executed to take the power they had on Vacuo. Knowing what she did? What she was capable of? It terrified Eryka, and lead to her running away with her baby brother. And it all came spiralling from there…

Falling into a life of crime, becoming a pit fighter, joining the Branwen Tribe… and eventually… finding the Summit’s Claim.

Eryka opened the door, and she froze. “What is it?”

“Nothing… I just… I’ve never stood in mom’s office before.” She revealed, and she walked in and saw her old maps. They were of Remnant, and the Four Kingdoms, showing the places her Cartel had power. She had power everywhere, she was the most powerful woman in the whole world – before Salem.

“Gods… I always knew she was powerful… but she really had every single Kingdom under her thumb.” Winter commented.

“I guess we now know why Salem wanted her taken care of. She is probably the biggest threat to her rule with the power she has.” Eryka stated.

Winter narrowed her eyes and stepped forward, looking closer at the board. “What?” Eryka asked.

“That’s weird… she has a pretty big mark right here in Vacuo. But… there’s nothing out there, just the Dune Sea. Maybe some old buildings near the old city but… nothing of value. Just Grimm.” Winter commented, then Eryka’s eyes widened.

“Maybe not… maybe there is something out there, a place she could move her Cartel to whilst she plans some kind of counterattack? Lavinia is not the kind to back down from a fight. Especially when she has been beaten down.” Eryka explained.

“Vacuo’s a long journey to go on a hunch.” Winter stated.

“I know… but it’s something.” Eryka explained, but she looked at the mark and sighed. “But… you do have a point. That mark is old, she would have marked that a few years ago. Doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. But…”

Eryka paused and peered round Winter’s shoulder and walked over to something else. “Gods you cannot stand still today, can you?”

Eryka approached a piece of paper nailed to the wall and she looked at it really closely, and she held it in her hand. “Not a spec of dust… this must have only been here a few days…”

“Just like the vines.” Winter commented. “What’s on it?”

“Looks like coordinates.” Eryka answered, Winter took it and used her Scroll, scanning the coordinates on the piece of paper. The map started to calculate the location… and it marked it.

The location was… weird.

“The hell? It’s not that far from us… it’s just a shack.” Winter stated.

“You sure it’s right?” Eryka asked.

“Yeah, it’s accurate… maybe that’s where she wants us to go. Do you think she knows we’re looking for her?” Winter asked.

“Maybe… she knows we’re alive. Why now though? How did she know we were looking for her now?” Eryka wondered as she paced around the room.

“Well… we know she has spies everywhere. Maybe she even has contacts in the Summit’s Claim? To keep an eye on you?” Winter suggested, which made her scoff.

“Sounds like her.” She said, hard to tell if she felt comforted or disgusted by the idea. “Okay… we go there… and pray it isn’t a trap.”

 

Ruby

 

The walk through Mistral was painfully awkward and quiet, but eventually they left. The walk through Anima was worse, at least there was the stress to keep them company… now it was just silence. Cinder walked ahead of the team, and they stared at her, with some anger in their eyes.

Yet the tension was not just against Cinder, but it was felt between others. Between Penny’s fear of Pyrrha, her guilt of killing her in the first place, the divide back in the Wildlands between Ruby and Pyrrha? Pyrrha and Cinder’s gripes, and Ruby’s anger at her for what she did ten years ago?

This team was a volcanic mess, and any moment now… something was gonna cause an eruption.

Cinder stopped and pointed ahead. “There… that’ll do for the night.” Cinder assured.

It was an old run-down shack, the bricks were covered in moss and other vegetation, the roof was partially caved in and all the windows were broken. “Scenic.” Ruby scoffed.

“Hey, if you wanted the five-star experience you should have become an actress or some bullshit. Now come on.” Cinder commanded as she walked towards the building, forming a pair of dust swords just in case there was a Grimm in there.

But it was clear, not a Grimm in sight, so they all got ready for the night, making a perfect campfire and letting in burn. Ruby laid down; Penny snuggled up close to her then they both went to sleep whilst Cinder was keeping watch.

It took her some time, like always, to go to sleep. It was never easy to sleep out in the cold like this but having Penny beside her definitely made it easier to relax. For a time… because as she slept a darkness lapped over her like a cold wave. She looked around, finding Penny, Pyrrha and Cinder were all gone, and she was alone. “Guys? Where’d you go? Guys?” She called out.

Only… she wasn’t alone.

She heard the whispers and they caused hairs to stand on end. “Valravn… Valravn… Valravn…”

And from the darkness he returned, chimes dangling from his body and eyes glowing red behind that horrifying Raven Skull Mask. The sound of Corvid Birds echoed around him as he emerged, staring at her. “Tattered and Broken the wilted rose falls, lost and alone, with all who cared lost to the winds of betrayal.” He spoke, voice dark and croaky.

“Get out of my head you bastard, you’re dead!” Ruby yelled in anger.

“Our Body may be rotten and forgotten… but our soul lives on within your memories… forever and ever…” Valravn whispered as his hand reached out to her, but she gritted her teeth in anger and drew Black Thorn, firing them at her old dead enemy that still haunted her. He vanished into thin air, and Corvid Birds flew outwards from where he was stood. She looked around as they all circled her.

Then she saw the Jackdaw descend, and in a puff of black smoke, the man himself stood before her, top hat in hand. “It doesn’t matter how hard you try to bury us, how much you try to make yourself believe we’re gone… we will always be a part of you.” Jackdaw assured with a smirk. “I always wanted the best for you… just like I did for your mother.”

“Get out of my head.” Ruby commanded.

“I know you hate me… but please Ruby…” She heard Qrow’s voice behind her and turned, seeing him knelt behind her with his hands held together. “Don’t… don’t shut me out… please don’t forget about me…” He cried.

She looked at her hand and saw the still sealed envelope stuck to her hand. She could not rip it off, it just would never come loose from her fingers. The only way to let it go was to break the seal and read what was inside.

“You will never heal if you don’t close the book.” Raven said as she stood behind her.

“GET OUT OF MY HEAAAAAD!” Ruby wailed, she fell to her knees, and cried, looking at the darkness beneath her. Suddenly his skeletal hand erupted from the darkness, and it was Valravn once more. The Branwen Siblings all became swallowed up inside him as he lifted her off the ground.

“Blood spilled over the innocent flower… now blossoms into something far crueller.” Valravn growled, and in her nightmare his mask now became his real face, and the beak opened up with hellish teeth inside and belching flames. She screamed in fear as Valravn transformed into a giant horrifying monster with huge black wings, and a long black tongue flicked up at her.

“You cannot escape your fate! You will never see your loved ones again! Succumb to your despair!” Valravn roared, and his voice had echoes of Jackdaw, Qrow and Raven inside. He then dropped her, and she plummeted into his massive jaws. She screamed in terror as she fell down his throat and his jaws slammed shut above.

Ruby gasped sharply, sitting upright suddenly and panting. She turned and found what triggered that nightmare…

… the sweet and gentle sound…

… of old rusted windchimes.

She looked over and saw Cinder sat with her leg stretched out across the frame of the broken window, still keeping watch. “That looked like it was one hell of a nightmare.” Cinder commented, glancing at her.

Ruby looked over at Penny who was still fast asleep, she gently caressed her shoulder. Ruby then wrapped her arms around her knees. “Yeah…”

“Valravn?” Cinder asked.

“H-How did you?”

“I saw you stare at the Windchimes… it doesn’t take a genius to put two and two together, ya know?” Cinder stated. Ruby glowered at the Fall Maiden then turned to her bag and saw that the letter Qrow wrote her was still in there. Still unopened.

She shoved it deeper in the bag and looked away.

Wind wailed against the old broken glass panes, the gentle patter of rain mingling with the snapping crackle of the fireplace. A warm amber glow overtook the room, a dimness matched with comfort that seemed to always without fail make the eyelids heavy. Some drops of rainwater fell in on occasion through the damaged roof, but luckily the area they were in was nice and dry.

Ruby turned to see that Cinder was not the only person still awake.

Pyrrha sat on the sill by the window, knees hugged to her chest as her eyes darted from raindrop to raindrop. The way they raced one another down the glass, eventually their paths converging. She frowned, looking over to the room.

Then her eyes found Cinder's. Staring back from the broken window frame, still keeping watch. They were all like raindrops on a window. Eventually, their paths converged. One way or another, she, Ruby, Penny and Cinder would always be drawn back together.

Ruby glanced at Penny, gently stroking her hair. “Looks like Penny’s the only one getting some sleep.”

Cinder lifted her chin, and a bemused smirk graced her face. Pyrrha huffed, resting her chin atop her wrists. She hugged her knees a little tighter, looking to the two swords in their makeshift sheathes. They were just lent silently still in the corner, by Ruby's bag. Right next to the Relic of Knowledge. It looked dull and old, yet mystical. Unsuspecting, but also mysterious.

"Can't sleep either, champion?" Cinder cooed. Pyrrha shut her eyes to sigh. Great. Now they had to talk.

"Don't really want to."

"Mmm. Well, I'm up and about, I can keep watch if you want to shut your eyes for a bit." Cinder almost sounded sincere. Pyrrha blew a few strands out of her face, a stray flicker of lightning lighting the room white for but a moment. "Or do you not trust me?"

"As far as I can throw you." Pyrrha quipped, swinging her legs over the edge of the sill.

"Aww, you still don't trust little old me?" Cinder pressed her fingers to her collarbones. "Was it... me taking you in? Lying to Killian to protect you? How about forgetting the needs of an orphan so I can gallivant off with you on some kind of suicide mission!" Cinder was now nose to nose with Pyrrha, every word punctuated with a step out of her chair.

Pyrrha shrugged. "You killed. Tried to kill me. Made me rip Penny to shreds. Forgive me for not believing this little stunt with the girl."

As she went to walk past, Cinder caught her arm.

"She... is worth... ten of you. And a million of me." She snapped, Pyrrha ripping her arm from her grip. Cinder opened her mouth to say more, but froze, shutting her lips and pacing back to the chair. She stood beside it, frowning at Pyrrha, silence seeming to mingle with the heated stare forever.

Then Cinder gripped the back of the chair, lifted it up overhead and slammed it down into the oak floor in a deafening bang. Pyrrha frowned deeper as the loud bang caused Penny to yelp awake, Floating Array suddenly forming together and aimed at the door.

"Ruby, your turn for watch duty. Now no one gets the chair."

"Mature." Pyrrha scoffed.

"I'll clean it up-" Penny softly said, being responsible.

"No, Penny, no you won't. Cinder made the mess-" Ruby defended.

"Like hell." Cinder scoffed.

"Stop being a child, for once!" Ruby barked.

"It's okay, I-I don't mind cleaning it up-” Penny innocently assured.

"Go back to sleep, Penny!" Pyrrha snapped by accident.

"Hey! Don't yell at her! She's done nothing wrong!" Ruby yelled, eyes shimmering silver. Pyrrha looked back at Ruby and she sighed, stepping back, noticing how scared Penny was of her in that moment, more than… Cinder. “You too, Cinder. You’ve done enough.”

"Oh back off little red." Cinder spat from the sill.

"What. What did you just call me? WHAT DID YOU JUST CALL ME?!" Ruby yelled with rage, aiming Black Thorn at a nonplussed Cinder. Pyrrha threw her head back with a heavy groan.

"Enough!" Penny snapped, stood by the broken old bed, fists at her sides. "I-I'm sick of this fighting! We have a bigger enemy, not each other! We're supposed to be a unit, a solid team!

"Please. We're three victims and a murderer." Ruby mumbled, lowering her Revolvers and sitting in the corner, pulling her hood up and hugging her knees.

Cinder laughed at that.

“Pots and Kettles, Rose.” Cinder growled.

“I did what I had to. To protect the people I care for.” Ruby explained.

“You keep telling yourself that if it helps you sleep at night… but by the looks of it… you can barely get by, can ya?” Cinder questioned. “And besides… none of us are innocent. You had the nerve to judge me back there? At least I’m not a ticking time bomb. Or a girl with the power of a Homicidal God inside of me. We’re all a mess.” Cinder explained.

They fell silent, then Cinder sighed.

"We’re all Victims." Cinder grumbled, looking out the window. "Just one of us did something about it."

Pyrrha paced up to Penny, placing a hand on her shoulder, only for Penny to whine and bat the hand aside. The mechanical girl frowned, sitting on the bed with a creak and rolling onto her side, facing the wall. Pyrrha closed her hand, looking over her shoulder at Cinder.

They were quiet for a while before Cinder started to speak again.

"Hatred breeds catastrophe. Flames that burn ever so bright and harsh, for but a moment. Then in the embers you look upon your works... and weep? Cos that fleeting, rapid bout of hatred, levelled everything you know and love. And ripped down the hopes of change." Cinder's eyes were glassy as she seemed to recite something, a manuscript from memory. She sniffed and wiped her nose on her sleeve. "Or some shit."

Ruby sat up, swivelling her legs off of the bed. She stared at Cinder for a long while, as she gazed out that stormy window.

"Never took you for a book enthusiast.” Ruby said.

“There’s a lot you don’t know about me.” Cinder answered. “And… well… Salem had a beautiful library. Probably the only thing I miss about that place.”

Cinder smiled as she looked up at the stars, peaking between rain clouds.

They held each other close and turned their backs upon the end. As the darkness swallowed the sun, and the Grimm blocked the skies… the decadence and the innocence of mankind no longer had meaning. It mattered not who had the power, or who ate what, or who came from where. In the end, it didn’t even matter, because the end claimed them all. All but a lonely girl… lost… and broken… who would forever be haunted by their words. Words of Judgement. That would be all she remembered… as the darkness continued to swell… leaving her with nothing but rage. Rage… Rage…”

They all looked at Cinder with surprise at how… educated… she really was. “Salem is many things… but she always made sure I was raised well enough to know how important literature was.”

Ruby glanced at her. “Why did you do it? Attack Beacon? I mean… I know you did it for power… but what then? Once you had that power? What were you gonna do?”

"What does it matter? It's all gone now. Salem's won. The world is hers, and us?" Cinder spat the words with venom. "Us?!" She whipped around to snarl at Ruby, glare with tears that spoke the opposite of her rage. "What're we, huh? The rag tag group supposed to save the world? Please."

"That's exactly what we are. Whether we like it or not, here we are." Ruby sighed. Cinder chuckled.

"Answer me this." Cinder pointed at Ruby, swiping her nose before settling her arm in her lap. "How?"

"Huh?"

"How? How do you plan to kill what can't be killed? Change her? Make her see the good of life? Good of humanity? Stop kidding yourself."

"Then what do you suggest, huh? What's your plan to win?" Ruby frowned. Cinder wet her lips.

"I don't think there is one. I don't think there's some golden ticket to kill Salem. I damned as well can't. No one can.”

“Then why are you here?” Penny asked, Cinder fell silent.

“Good question. You volunteered.” Ruby stated.

“You clearly care about this world and the people in it. I don’t think you’re as bad as you keep making yourself out to be.” Penny stated, then Cinder laughed at her.

“This world can burn for all I care. I don’t care one wit about the people… not Vale or Mistral, or Vacuo or Atlas. All of it can be destroyed… I couldn’t care less. The only reason I’m here is because I want Amber to grow up in a world without having to be afraid of that monster. Nothing else matters.” Cinder stated as she looked back out the window at the rainfall.

Ruby looked at Penny and they held each other close whilst Pyrrha sat there on her own, clasping her hands together.

“I don’t think that’s true, Cinder. Because if it were… then you wouldn’t have saved me. Or Weiss. Or Blake. Or even Vernal and Oscar.” Pyrrha explained, Cinder just ignored her words as best she could. “I don’t know if I trust you… but I know you’re not who you were. And I know that you care. So think on that.” Pyrrha said as she walked over to the corner so she could get some rest.

Cinder sat there and reached into her pocket and looked at the picture she took with Amber. She smiled as she looked at the kid.

This is all for you, kiddo…

I’ll do anything for you.

Anything.

 

 

Chapter 21: Unforeseen Surprises

Chapter Text

Eryka

 

The wind was slowly building, a slight howl could be heard in the distance, where furious black storm clouds began to brew.

Eryka looked back at the storm which was headed their way. “Got about fifteen minutes until that storm gets here.”

“Well let’s hope this isn’t some kind of false lead. Let’s be real here, that does sound like a stunt your mother would pull to keep people off her trail.” Winter stated, and Eryka nodded her head in agreement.

“Oh trust me, that has been on my mind a fair bit.” Eryka admitted. “But it’s all we’ve got… we have to take the risk.”

Winter kept her hand on the pommel of her sword, something she learned from her years of training in the Atlesian Military, but also from plenty of experience. Areas like this are ripe for ambushes, especially for the Black Gallows. The area is secure, and isolated. Nobody else to witness their atrocities… anything could happen here.

And of course, it is perfect for Criminals to leave stashes here, or set up meetings to sell their counterfeit or other illegal goods. From drugs to false Lien, people out here would sell just about anything to the right buyer. Especially when it came down to the Black Market.

Even if the Vasillias Cartel were to fall… the Black Market would survive. It is the one Illegal Practice that will never fall. It will live on forever, filling the pockets of less than respectable people. And judging by all the old tracks to and from this place, this was definitely used by the Vasillias Cartel multiple times.

Eryka approached the creaky old shack, and she leant against the door. She looked at Winter who just nodded at her, drawing her sword just in case there was any trouble waiting for them inside. Eryka drew Constantine Damascus and nocked the arrow. She stepped back and kicked the door open, immediately entering with Winter, weapons raised, and Bow drawn. Only for Eryka to suddenly be punched in the face, and pinned to the wall, and Winter felt a staff hook under her chin and choke her.

Eryka swung her head back and broke free, going to fire an arrow. “Wait!” The voice of Robyn Hill called out. Eryka looked around and looked surprised because they could not see anyone there.

Until May Marigold deactivated her semblance, uncloaking her friends. Joanna released Winter, only now noticing that it was them. “Eryka? Winter? The hell are you two doing here? How did you find this place?”

“I… uh… my old home, Lakeview Manor. We’re trying to find my mom, get the Vasillias Cartel on our side.” Eryka answered.

“The Vasillias Cartel? I thought they were wiped out?” Fiona asked with disbelief.

“Eh well… not exactly.” Eryka shrugged, rubbing her cheek. “Could’ve checked first before you threw that right hook at me.”

“Yeah… sorry about that. It’s been a rough three months; we’ve been hiding here ever since what went down at Higanbana.” Robyn explained.

“Wait… Dutch is the one who told us to come here. Maybe we’ve been looking for the wrong things, if the Vasillias Cartel are what brought them here? We should look again.” Terra spoke up, Eryka and Winter turned with surprise to see her, Saphron and Adrien tucked away in here as well.

“What the hell? Why are they here?” Winter questioned.

“Terra wanted to help us… and Salem showed up at her house. Didn’t directly threaten her, but the fact she was there it meant she knew of her involvement. Her presence was a warning.” Robyn explained. “And besides… we have found some stuff here.”

Saphron gently kissed the top of Adrien’s head. “Mom… I wanna go home.” He sniffled.

“I know, sweetie… me too. But we have to do this, it’s not safe at home anymore. Queen Salem is dangerous, and she wants to hurt us. We have to be careful, okay?” Saphron softly spoke.

Robyn walked through the old shack. “We were hidden here for a few weeks before we realised what this place was. Check this out, Saphron found it.” Robyn explained, approaching an old bookshelf. All the books… they’re all fake. “Oldest trick in the book.”

Robyn grabbed one of the fake books and pulled it back, revealing it to be a secret lever to a secret underground stairway. The floor in the corner of the room opened, and some stone steps were revealed beneath. “So the shack is just a front…  clever.” Winter chuckled.

They followed Robyn inside. “This place is huge, it’s how we managed to stay hidden from the Black Gallows these past three months. Bastards were on our tail… hell they could still be out there.” Robyn explained.

“You said Dutch directed you here?” Winter asked her.

“That’s right… but the fact you two show up here? Searching for Lavinia here? I’m starting to wonder if maybe Dutch was hoping we’d find her as well.” Robyn explained.

“Wait, how long has it been since you’ve heard from Dutch?” Eryka inquired whilst Terra, Saphron and Adrien got themselves comfortable down there.

“Ever since Higanbana. It’s been radio silence here, kinda had to be. With the Black Gallows constantly searching this region for us. Especially after what we learned… we’re priority one for them.” Robyn explained as she sat down on a table.

That got their attention.

“What did you find?” Eryka asked, Robyn looked afraid to answer.

“Are you sure you want to know? Because… if I tell you… then you’ll be on their shit list too.” Robyn warned.

“We’re already on their shitlist.” Eryka stated.

Robyn blew out a breath. “Alright… in Higanbana we met a woman, called Tortuga. She was Ex-Black Gallows and was very high up the chain. Saw some scary and messed up shit… but the big one? She had a hand in making it happen and was part of the reason why she fled.” Robyn began. “The U.G.R commanded the Black Gallows to build Cataclysm-Class Anti-Matter Bombs, and plant them in lethal locations in all four Kingdoms. All of them could be set off at any moment, and would wipe them out, leaving nothing but a crater behind.”

Eryka and Winter’s faces were of pure shock.

“Oh gods…” Winter gasped as she sat down.

“Yeah… and Killian has the switch, which means Salem has it. We even try and do anything big against Salem? Turn the people against her? She could easily just order Killian to hit the switch and completely restart our civilisation. We’ve been… trying to figure out what to do next. We can’t risk the innocent, and once we realised this whole bunker was down here with all this stuff? We hoped we could find something.” Robyn explained.

“And did you?” Eryka asked.

“Nothing I can see. Mostly just old reports and sales for the Vasillias Cartel. Some base locations, stuff like that.” Robyn explained, Eryka stood up.

“Locations? Then this is what we were looking for, it is what we all need.” Eryka revealed. “We went to the Cartel, but it was destroyed, but the only bodies were Black Gallows. Not a single Cartel Corpse. Same deal at my home. We figured out why.” Eryka began and she pressed her hands against the table. “My mother? Lavinia Vasillias? Is a Fully Realised Winter Maiden.”

Robyn’s eyes widened. “Whoa… what?”

“I know I’m still coming to grips with this as well, but a lot makes sense now. It’s definitely how she has held onto her power for so long. Nobody would dare cross the leader of a Cartel if she was a Maiden. Now we’re not sure where we went, but her trail lead us here. I think she came here and hid something… within a few days ago.”

“She couldn’t have, we’ve been here the whole time.” Robyn explained.

“There could be secret entrances. And besides, my mother has always had some pretty impressive Military Tech. She could have been using some kind of stealth cloak to keep herself hidden from you all. She’s been leaving clues… there has to be one here. One you haven’t seen, because it is so recent.”

Robyn stood up and paced around. “We need her forces… her resources. We need to take Salem down… hell… now more than ever. We can’t risk her or Killian detonating those bombs to stop us.” Winter stated.

“She’s a Cartel Boss… she has contacts everywhere… she could help us in other ways too. Like in getting this information out there. She could inform the Media through her contacts, get the story out there. But like you said, we need to wait. We need to know that this information will not lead to more deaths. Too many have died already.”

“We’ll come up with something.” Eryka promised, but before they could discuss this any further, they heard someone rushing to the stairs.

“Guys! We’ve got a huge problem!” Fiona called out.

“What is it?” Robyn immediately hardened herself and stood up.

“The Ace Ops… they’ve found us…”

 

Blake

 

The sun on the Southern Face of Anima had finally risen, and the view was beautiful.

Finally they found the Anima Savannah.

It stretched out for as far as the eye could see, golden fields and the occasional tree. Beautiful herbivores grazed these natural fields that they walked through. Weiss kept her eyes on her Compass to make sure they were still headed the right way to get to the port that could help them make their journey to Menagerie. The journey was a long one, and this place was a beautiful place to walk through.

“This place… it’s so beautiful.” Oscar said with awe in his eyes. “I remember watching documentaries about the wildlife here as a kid… but to actually be here? The screen really didn’t do it justice… just how… huge it is.”

“I know, right? It just keeps on going!” Nora squeaked.

Blake stayed quiet; she may be able to see people through their aura now… but she would never see the beauties of the world again. Yet despite that… she could still experience it in other ways. “The smells… it’s weird to explain… it just feels so alive here.” Blake commented.

In Oscar’s head, he could hear Ozpin speak. “I believe this is one of the places the Landmark Restoration Society protected. It pleases me to see this location is still untouched.”

Oscar smiled. “Me too.” He telepathically replied.

But as they walked, something caught Yang’s eye. “Whoa… what’s this?” Yang asked, and Oscar stopped as he looked at it. There were old structures here. Very old structures. Older than they had ever seen, and Oscar glanced to the side.

“May I?” He asked.

“Sure.” Oscar answered, then Ozpin took control.

“That, Miss Xiao Long, is an old remnant of a city which once stood where these fields grow.” He began. “A very, very old city. Long before our Kingdoms had been formed… from my time, to be exact.”

Everyone listened as they continued to make their trek through the Savannah. Most of the buildings were gone, but a few remains could be seen, like old bones. “What was it called?” Ren inquired.

“Sklavedon.” Ozpin answered.

“Wow, that’s a mouthful and a half.” Yang commented, which made Ozpin chuckle.

“Indeed. My people were… complicated… in naming their cities. And their Kingdoms. It was a time where our power was unmatched by anyone. Such as Evernight.” Ozpin explained as he walked with them. They continued to listen to him, passing by resting Mistraalian Wildebeest which rested beneath the trees in the shade. “But in the end, we were cut down.”

“How?” Nora inquired; Ozpin fell silent there.

“If… you can forgive my privacy… but this is quite a difficult subject for me to cover. I guess you could say it is personal. I hope you understand.” Ozpin answered.

“I’m sorry, we didn’t mean to bring up any bad memories for you.” Blake said.

“It’s alright. But this place, Sklavedon… it was a beautiful city. Towers that pierced the skies, men and women who lived their lives in joy. Humanity and Faunus lived together as equals… it was harmony. Before it all changed.” Ozpin explained as he continued to walk, then he gave control back to Oscar.

 

Robyn

 

Robyn walked outside first, and aimed her Crossbow at them, but her eyes widened as she saw Clover with something gripped in his hand. It was a Hologram Drone, and he released it. “Someone would like to have a talk with you.” Clover said as it floated towards them. Eryka kept Constantine Damascus drawn, and Winter did the same with her swords. The drone approached and slowed before them, and it flickered a bright blue, emanating light into a live holographic feed.

It formed the body of a man, clad in black, rasply breathing through the respirator attached to his sternum, and a tumbler of whiskey in his hand. He took a sip and lowered it, staring at them. “Well, well… isn’t this a surprise? Every single time I go to scrape off dirt off my boot, I always find the two of you responsible. Eryka Vasillias… Winter Schnee.”

“Glad you recognise us… can’t say the same for you… you look like shit.” Eryka scoffed. He was pale and was no longer trying to hide his Grave Dust arm. He also had bags under his eyes, looked like he hadn’t slept in days, in fact.

He chuckled at her words. “Yeah… a shell of the man I knew.” Robyn added.

Killian’s onyx eyes met hers. “Robyn… you haven’t aged a day.”

“Can’t say the same for you.” Robyn replied.

“Good to see that vigour of yours still flies high. I’ve always admired that about you, your ability to find the joy in things no matter how terrible it may seem.” Killian explained. “Sometimes it is hard for me to find such optimism, especially in such trying times. Maintaining peace is not as easy as some try to make it appear.”

“Yeah. We all know how you intend on maintaining this peace you and your Queen so desperately claim to have. Like by burying Anti-Matter bombs underneath the Four Kingdoms of Remnant?” Robyn questioned as she paced back and forth.

“A significant step, but one that had to be made. One that was made before Salem ever seized the reigns of leadership over our great civilisation.” Killian said.

“How the hell does holding the people of Remnant at gunpoint without them knowing the gun is there any form of peace?” Winter questioned.

“The Great War – that is how. If we continued to fight amongst ourselves, it would have continued to escalate. We would have ended up wiping each other out, leaving nothing left afterwards. No civilisation, no recovery – only our extinction would follow. But the Bombs act as a deterrent. If the Kingdoms begin to act out, risking a second Great War? We threaten to detonate them, the fear would usually extinguish the fires of hate. But if it doesn’t? We detonate them, leaving the cities that have survived outside of the Kingdoms alone. They would not dare challenge us, and would bow to their rightful Queen, and through them we will build a new civilisation. One recovered from the ashes of the fools who came before.” Killian explained.

“One made out of blood. No end can possibly justify those means.” Robyn called out.

“Salem has lived longer than any of us can possibly comprehend, and she knows more about ruling than any Politician ever could. Only through her can the People of Remnant be safe.” Killian explained, and Eryka scoffed as she walked towards the Hologram of him.

“Wow. You actually believe the bullshit you spout, don’t you?” Eryka barked. “I guess it must be comforting for you, since nobody else does.”

Winter approached as well. “We should have killed you when we had the chance, back at Beacon. If I had known what you have become, I wouldn’t have hesitated.”

“You can go back to Salem and cry to her, beg for mercy. Spend as much time as you like with her because it won’t last. Because soon we’re gonna find a way and we’ll put Salem in the ground for good.” Eryka promised.

“Your vision is pathetically limited. Salem cannot be destroyed, and only through her will Remnant find true peace.” Killian assured.

“No, only when she falls will Remnant be safe. And she will, and when that happens the world will know about everything you’ve done.” Robyn promised.

“I can’t let you do that.” Killian stated, the hologram turned and walked back towards Clover. “Clover. Ensure the Happy Huntresses, Robyn Hill, Eryka Vasillias and Winter Schnee are eradicated and any evidence they have is destroyed. Leave no evidence and bring me my sister and her family alive.” Killian ordered, and Clover opened his hand, catching the drone as the Hologram ended.

“Understood, Commander.” Clover answered. He swiftly drew his Fishing Rod and his Pistol in the other hand.

Vine raised his fists, and his long Golden Aura arms extended from his forearms, also with their fists clenched. Harriet did the same, her Exo-Suit activating, and electricity coursed through her muscles. Marrow reluctantly raised his rifle and Elm spun her huge hammer through her fingers.

“You assholes can fucking try.” Robyn snarled.

Eryka immediately fired first, and Dulcis descended and grabbed onto the arrowhead with his talons. His wings erupted with flames, forming into a giant Burning Phoenix. The grass set alight beneath the smouldering feathers, and Vine’s eyes widened. He then held out his hands and the long arms stretched out and wrapped around the Ace Ops, sheltering them in the aura against the fire from Dulcis.

The Altum Eagle ascended and escaped danger, Vine opened his arms once more, and just as Clover lifted his head, Winter launched Eryka forward with her Glyph. Eryka smashed her fist directly into the side of his head. The two of them tumbled across the grass past the Ace Ops. Eryka stuck the landing with ease and swiftly launched an Ice Arrow towards him. It impacted his leg and froze him in place. Clover roared with rage and stared straight at his enemy as she rushed forward.

Eryka ducked under the gun’s bullet path as he fired, and she then grabbed the hand that held the Gun and twisted it around, forcing him to release it. She twisted around and roundhouse kicked him across the jaw, and as she landed, she threw punch after punch into his chest. He broke free thanks to Harriet who shot past him, smashing the ice apart. He quickly drew his Horseshoe and smacked it across Eryka’s cheek, stumbling her. He then swung his Fishing Rod at her, and the line wrapped around her arm. But she smirked at him and jumped, spinning through the air. The action yanked Clover towards her, and just as she landed, she held out her other arm and close lined him.

The impact knocked him clean off his feet, but he rolled aside just in time as Eryka stabbed at his face with Slice ‘N Dice, only narrowly missing. He quickly got back up and grabbed his gun, firing it repeatedly at her, but she had become far more skilled thanks to the ten years of training with her girlfriend. She slashed the bullets apart with impressive speed, then charged forward, but he threw the horseshoe into her head, and she staggered backwards. Clover jumped over her head and the fishing line wrapped around her torso. As he landed, he roared and pulled downwards, reeling her in at the same time.

Eryka was thrown over him and came crashing down into the soil before him. Her blue aura flickered – but it was not broken yet. Her aura was getting stronger everyday thanks to her many years of teaching from Winter. Clover stomped down at her head, but she flipped backwards onto her feet and kicked Constantine Damascus up into her hand, transforming it into Shotgun Form. She fired and the shells blew him backwards, then she switched to Bow Form, firing arrow after arrow at him. He dodged them and touched his Lucky Pin, then he caught the explosive arrow and broke it in two. It exploded but had little effect against his aura.

“You bitch! Those are hard as hell to make!” Eryka yelled.

Clover just shrugged as a response, then he charged towards her once more.

Winter yelled with rage as she blasted towards Elm with Joanna beside her, but Elm’s feet anchored into the soil and she swung her huge hammer up into Winter’s gut. The swing blasted her up into the air then she went to bring the hammer down onto Joanna’s head. But Joanna caught the hammer with both hands, staring right into Elm’s eyes with gritted teeth.

Joanna stepped aside and let the hammer smash into the ground, then she uppercutted the Muscular Ace Ops Huntress. Her powerful fist created a small shockwave off Elm’s jaw, and she was thrown up into the air. Joanna grabbed her by the leg and smashed her back down into the ground. “That’s for last time!” Joanna yelled.

Elm growled with rage and rolled aside, and as soon as she got back up, she threw her fist right back into Joanna’s. The Happy Huntress tumbled backwards but dragged her hand into the dirt. Elm turned when she heard the sound of… wings?

Winter was flying directly towards her upon a Summoned Manticore, and it blasted an icy fireball at her. The energy projectile exploded against Elm’s shoulder and then she caught the Summoned Beast by its horns, still staying in place as she twisted it around and smashed it down into the ground with all her might. Winter was thrown off but immediately went for Elm. She slashed her sword across Elm’s body, then formed a Glyph that blocked her fist, and spun on the spot, firing multiple fireballs from another Glyph she conjured behind her.

The explosion final broke her free. She tumbled across the soil but grabbed onto her Hammer. She dragged it across the ground and smacked Joanna in the chest with it, then transforming it into Rocket Launcher Form. She aimed it at Winter and fired, but she drove her sword into the ground, forming a protective dome of thick ice around her. It shattered but took the brunt of the explosion.

Winter shot forward towards Elm and stabbed her in the chest multiple times, but her strong aura was easily able to tank the hits. Elm could move fast when she needed to, swinging that huge hammer around like it didn’t weigh a tonne. Winter dodged as quickly as she could, sliding out of the way, and rolling backwards. She then shot up into the air with her Glyph and hovered above Elm. She then blasted back down towards her, but Elm swung at her once more, knocking her out of the air in one hit. Winter crashed into the ground, driving her sword into the ground.

Elm roared, jumping high in the air and pummelling her hammer into the ground, the impact caused the ground to shake and fragment. Huge chunks of dirt burst around them, and Winter jumped upwards. She then ran and hopped across the chunks of soil, before leaping towards Elm and grabbing her by her short ponytail and slamming her head down into the rocks. The soil came crashing back down, as Winter aimed her sword at Elm and disconnected her second sword, letting it drop into her other hand.

Joanna turned and saw Robyn, May and Fiona were still up against Marrow, Vine and Harriet.

The three of them continued to battle against each other.

Robyn rolled aside as Harriet came blasting forward, only narrowly missing her. But as Robyn stood back up, Harriet came shooting back and forth, throwing punches back and forth. Robyn grunted from every hit, but then she held out her arm with gritted teeth, knocking her on her arse. Robyn aimed her crossbow and fired it at Harriet, and the explosion threw Harriet across the dirt. “Damn it.” She grumbled as her suit began to crackle and spark in places.

She rolled her shoulder and stared at her as she ran towards her, launching another crossbow bolt towards her. Harriet rolled aside, and then darted forward. She kicked Robyn in the chest with both feet, then threw punch after punch at her. Robyn’s fan blades opened, and she blocked the incoming fists, backing up and countering with a punch from time to time. Harriet slid aside but Robyn fired three bolts at once at her. As Harriet zoomed towards her, the bolt knocked her out of her speedy path, and right into Robyn’s hand. She grabbed her by the throat and pummelled her down into the dirt.

Harriet grunted in anger, before she wrapped her legs around Robyn’s head and twisted, throwing Robyn from her. Robyn bounced across the soil, and held up her fan blades, stopping Harriet’s fist.

Fiona fired bolt after bolt from her Staff at Marrow, who rolled aside and cut them down as they flew his way. He spun his Boomerang Blade through his fingers and transformed it into its Assault Rifle form. He fired multiple automatic shots at her, but she spirally her staff through her fingers. She then pressed her hand against a boulder, absorbing it into her pocket dimension. Once fully absorbed, she proceeded to jump and flip through the air, and she forged it back into existence, throwing the huge boulder with ease at him.

His eyes widened but he cut the boulder clean in half with his weapon. The chunks of rock crashed into the ground behind him, then rushed towards her. He slashed the blade repeatedly at her, but she blocked them and held him back. She looked at his eyes, seeing the pain in them. “You don’t have to do this! You know this is wrong!” Fiona attempted.

“Stop! I’m not a good man! I can’t be like you!” Marrow yelled as he kicked her back and threw his Boomerang Blade towards her. But she smacked it aside, allowing it to return to her.

“You can! I can tell! I am good at reading people, and I know you are not a bad person. You… you were just like me once.” Fiona said as her ear twitched. “Both Young Faunus trapped in a Kingdom of Humans who hated us… but that doesn’t have to define you. It doesn’t define me. It doesn’t define any of us… and I know you want to do the right thing!” Fiona called out to him, he stood there and shook his head, pressing his hands against his head.

He couldn’t find the words. “When all this happened? I was the newest addition to this team; I was only seventeen when all of this started. You can still do the right thing.” Fiona assured; his eyes danced around as his mind tried to contemplate her words.

He looked around as he saw everyone fighting his team. May continued to battle against Vine, who grabbed her and threw her into one of the trees. But she lifted her head and smirked, vanishing into thin air. His eyes widened and he looked around for her, then she suddenly slashed across his aura and he grunted, swinging his long-extended arms around. But May struck over and over.

She then leapt forward and yelled with rage, driving the blades of her Crossbow Staff right into Vine’s chest.

His aura broke and the blades dug in, and Marrow’s eyes widened.

So did May’s.

There… there was no blood. The blades stabbed deep into his stomach… but it wasn’t blood… only electrical sparks came out. Vine suddenly grabbed and launched her threw one of the trees. It shattered apart and Vine groaned from the synthesised pain, holding his gut where sparks leaked from internally damaged wiring. His blue eyes glowed sightly as the optics adjusted, searching for May.

“What the hell?” Marrow gasped as he stared at Vine, who was becoming more mysterious by the second.

Marrow turned his gaze when he heard both Elm and Clover yelling in pain. He saw Winter slashing straight through her aura, and driving her sword right into her shoulder, pinning her to the ground. And Eryka ducked underneath his fist, and she caught onto the fishing line and wrapped it around his throat. She then jumped and looped the cable around one of the trees and proceeded to hang him.

Clover desperately gasped for air, kicking his legs back and forth as he writhed. “How does it feel, huh? To be on the receiving end of the Gallows?” Eryka roared with fury in her blue eyes, showing a dark side of her that rarely showed itself. She mercilessly began to choke him, and Marrow looked at Fiona and winced.

“I’m sorry.”

Marrow launched his Boomerang Blade towards Eryka, knocking her on her back, and the beaten Clover crashed to the ground, struggling to breathe. He also fired at Winter to get her off Elm and pressed his finger to his ear. “W-07! We need immediate pickup! Medical Attention needed!” Marrow called out, calling in a retreat.

Harriet turned her gaze with wide eyes at hearing him making the call, giving Robyn the chance to punch Harriet in the cheek. She crashed into the ground and aimed her Crossbow down at her.

Vine kept his fists raised but looked at Marrow and chose to stand with him. He stretched out his aura formed arms and dragged Elm over to them. Eryka crawled back and drew her bow as the Wasp banked around and fired its machine guns at them to force them to back off. It lowered and opened the rear door, allowing the Ace Ops to retreat.

As Marrow got aboard, his eyes met Fiona’s as she watched him go.

You did the right thing.

Those were the words she mouthed, and he looked away as the Airship rose up into the sky and blasted off into the clouds. Winter stood beside Eryka, helping her up to her feet. “I’ve never seen Ace Ops retreat like that.” Winter said, and Fiona gently held her arm.

“Marrow… I think he did it for us. To stop the fighting. He doesn’t want any part of this.” Fiona explained, Robyn looked at her and then at the Wasp as it flew away.

“Then I hope nothing bad happens to him.

 

Emerald

 

The thief gazed out across the sapphire blue oceans of Vale’s coast.

She let out a sigh, closing her red eyes and she knelt down in the sand, pressing her hands into it. She felt the cool water swash back over to her, the cool sensation of the water was so relaxing to feel. She kept her eyes closed as she knelt there, but then she heard the sound of Mercury approaching. “Hey, you alright?” He inquired.

“Yeah… I just needed a minute.” She answered, and he crouched down beside her. She smiled softly at him as he looked at her, he then caressed her cheek and gave her a gentle kiss on the lips. They pressed their heads together.

“Don’t worry… we’ll find a way out of this. I promise.” He assured.

“It’s not that… you saw what Salem did to Jaune. How many others has she…” Emerald paused and shuddered. “I hope the real Jaune isn’t in there, the guy was an idiot but… nobody deserves that.”

“I know… I remember seeing that Knight around for a few weeks. I thought it was a new Praetorian Knight or something, to replace the one that was destroyed back at Beacon. But then Adam started spouting off and then…” He was just as lost for words as she was. Emerald looked at him with nervous eyes.

“What if she plans to do that to us? Turn us into monsters that know nothing except their duty to serve?” Emerald stammered.

“We’ll be long gone before she tries anything.” Mercury promised, Emerald just sighed.

“You don’t know that. We tried to run once, remember? Look how that turned out… the Abductors will always find us. And there is nothing we can do… we just have to… survive. And hope she doesn’t choose to kill us to send a message.” Emerald explained as she got back up.

She stopped, and her blood ran cold.

Tyrian was right behind them. Seeing the maniac staring right at them truly sent a chill down their spines and seeing his new scar in the gut after being badly injured by Eryka beneath the Summit’s Claim. There was a look in his eye… one that they could never figure out. Was he gonna kill them? Or was he just messing with them?

Then he started giggling maniacally as he approached. “Oh… poor children. I can see the trepidation in your eyes… why do you continue to be so afraid?” He asked as he stood between them as they both rose up.

“We’re not… I’m sorry, we’ll get back to helping you laying the traps. I just needed a second.” Emerald lied, only for his mechanical tail to stop her from walking past him.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk… when will you understand? Nobody can lie to me…” He whispered as he stared right into her eyes, grinning.

“Dude, back off.” Mercury threatened, he stared at him now. He would do anything for Emerald, but Tyrian’s glares were enough to scare anyone into submission.

“Our Queen has saved us all from damnation… given us a higher purpose to attain. You wouldn’t be having second thoughts against our Grace, would you? Because… well… we all know what happens to those who disobey Salem.” He said, chuckling constantly.

“Adam was an idiot; he was given warning after warning. I’m not an idiot.” Emerald assured; Tyrian chuckled sinisterly again.

“Indeed… and that… is what concerns me.” He said as he held his thumb under her chin, lifting her head. But she held her ground, and just stared right back at him. He could tell she was afraid, yet she didn’t look away. Tyrian admired that, even making him smirk at her.

“Tyrian.” Watts spoke up as Icarus helped secure the area, flying through the air as he kept even the skies secured. “That’s enough.” Watts commanded, Tyrian immediately backed down and he walked away from the two of them, returning to his duties as Hazel easily lifted some heavy crates of equipment around. Watts touched his earpiece as he approached them.

“The Gyrfalcon should be there any minute.” Killian informed.

“Good, we’ll need it for this plan to work.” Watts stated, and then he turned his head to the sky as the droning roar of the Gyrfalcon erupted nearby, and it came banking across the sky, descending down towards them. Its four powerful thrusters rotated and slowed it down, before landing down upon the ground nearby, blowing the sand from the beach all over the place. Mercury shielded his eyes as he stood beside his girlfriend.

“Are you sure this is gonna work? I mean how do we even know Team Copper are even gonna show up here?” Emerald asked.

“That’s where the two of you come in. I know you are skilled at flying Airships; the Gyrfalcon’s controls are easy to figure out. The rest of us will remain here, waiting for the moment to strike. You and Icarus must attack them as soon as they leave their harbour, and make sure that you guide them towards us. Once they are close…” Watts explained, raising his hand clad with the Golden Rings. “… we’ll handle the rest.”

Watts walked away from the two of them, and he approached one of the crates that Hazel set down, and he pulled out a cannister for the Doctor. Watts opened it, and he held out his hands, and they shone blue. Inside was a tonne of Grave Dust, and it all came rising up into the air, swirling like a shoal of fish. He then scattered the fragments, and they all fell upon the sand. The sand was dotted with black grains in random places, waiting for activation.

Watts stood there, and he smirked, looking ahead at the ocean as he rolled his shoulders.

“Very soon… that Lamp will belong to us.” Watts assured.

 

Marrow

 

Aboard the Shadow of Broken Promises…

He cleaned his rifle on his lap, his heart was hammering. He knew that was not his call to make and he was already receiving some pretty nasty looks from Harriet. Yet… he kept on thinking about her… Fiona Thyme.

Is she right? Can I be like her?

I don’t want to be a monster, I wanted to help people. It’s why I wanted to be a Huntsman… not serve the monsters I wanted to slay.

I want to be like her…

… but I don’t know if I can be.

He sighed and put the cleaning oils away and holstered his weapon, and walked to his quarters, but he stopped, and saw Vine. He was sat on his bed and was soldering the stab wound he suffered. He approached slowly, still wide eyed. “Yes, Marrow?” Vine asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry.” He stammered.

“Don’t be, I can assume you have some questions?” Vine presumed.

“Uh… kinda?” Marrow nervously answered, Vine extended his aura and opened the door for him and pulled out the chair in the corner. Marrow sat down in front of him and crossed his hands together. Vine was always the best to Marrow, he treated him like an equal and was always kind to him.

“Go on… ask me.” Vine began.

“O-Okay… what are you?” He asked him as he looked at the robotics inside the wound.

“You remember Penny Polendina? She was the first ever Synthetic created who could generate an Aura.” Vine began, and he looked at his hand. “Well… I am the second.”

The revelation was a shock, yet it made a lot of sense. Vine was always so calm, never seemed to be afraid. Perhaps having a mechanical body meant he was not as afraid of injury and death as everyone else. His spiritual side however made this even more surprising. “That… wow…”

“Indeed. Penny however could never be loyal to Atlas; she fell in love with Ruby Rose and was unshackled. So I was designed not long after Penny was destroyed, but one who would be loyal to Atlas, but also Remnant itself.” He explained.

“What does that mean? Unshackled?” Marrow inquired.

“It means she had every single emotion that you have. I… on the other hand… do not. I was given an aura; however my intelligence does not allow for such advanced feelings. So I cannot experience fear or love, nor sadness or rage. I am not driven by emotion – I am driven by my goal.”

“Your goal?” Marrow asked.

“To ensure the survival of Remnant and it’s people. At any cost.” Vine answered, clasping his hands together.

“Then… why do you…”

“Why do I follow Salem? And the Black Gallows?”

Marrow’s blood ran cold, if anyone caught a scent of doubt in someone, they would be shoved in a Black Cell. Yet Vine was calm, like always, and smiled. “Because for now? Her rule is keeping people alive. But who knows… perhaps change is in the wind? And if that change benefits the world more than her… then things will get interesting.” Vine assured with a smile.

Marrow turned when he heard the soldiers walking down the hall. “Ah, sounds like you should take this opportunity to enjoy your break, Marrow.” Vine said with a smile, and Marrow smiled back.

“Okay… thanks, Vine.”

“No. Thank you, Marrow. It’s… nice to have some to talk to about this.” Vine said with a genuine smile. Marrow smiled happily and he walked out of Vine’s quarters and approached his, but he froze in place like a deer in headlights.

“Who the fuck do you think you are?” Clover snarled, stood right in front of Marrow’s Quarters.

“C-Clover… I… I…” Marrow stammered.

“Y-Y-You what?” Clover growled. “You called in that Airship to get us out of there when it was not necessary. You failed the mission… you failed my mission.” Clover snarled as he walked towards Marrow.

Marrow shrunk into his shoulders, ready to be hurt. “What the hell made you think you had any authority to make a decision like that?” Clover questioned, and the more Clover spoke Marrow started to look away in fear. “For fuck’s sake, Marrow, look at me!”

Marrow continued to look away.

“MARROW!” Clover erupted. “Look. At. Me.”

Marrow trembled and finally looked at his Commanding Officer. “O-Okay, I-I’m sorry.” Marrow stammered.

“Let’s get one thing straight. The only reason you’re here, you disgusting half breed, is because Dutch wanted you here. Because you were a kid, and he didn’t want you to suffer the same fate we did. But guess what? I don’t give a damn about what Dutch wants, the Ace Ops are my team, and you will do whatever I say. And if you don’t?” Clover questioned, and he suddenly grabbed him by the throat and slammed him down against the ground.

“If you dare… overstep your bounds… again? I will fucking kill you.” Clover promised, slowly choking him out.

Until suddenly Vine’s golden aura hand shot forward and grabbed Clover by the collar and yanked him away from Marrow. The youngest Ace Ops member gasped, finally able to breathe again. Vine then pinned Clover against the wall, staring straight into his eyes.

“Get the hell off me Vine!” Clover yelled.

Vine never said a word, he just stared straight into Clover’s eyes.

Clover gritted his teeth as he tried to get free, but Vine was far stronger, not even budging. “The hell is going on?” The voice of Dutch called out, Clover and Marrow turned to see Killian’s Second in Command stood there. They never knew it, but his ability to act like he was not a traitor to the Black Gallows was truly impressive.

Vine swiftly released Clover, the speed of which made Clover drop to one knee, also having to catch his breath. “My apologies, sir.” Vine replied, saluting his superior.

“Killian wants the Ace Ops at the Bridge. He has a mission for you. Get your asses in gear.” Dutch commanded, Vine immediately headed there whilst Clover caught up. Marrow still looked shaken, Dutch approached him and gently held his shoulder. “Hey. You okay?” Dutch softly asked him.

“Yeah.” Marrow lied.

“That’s a lie and a half. Lemme guess, that racist piece of shit assaulted you again, right?” Dutch guessed, and Marrow nodded his head. “We’ll sort him out, don’t worry.”

He walked with Marrow to the Bridge, and the rest of the Ace Ops were waiting. Killian was stood at the bridge with his arms behind his back, fists clenched. “I believe I commanded you to eliminate my enemies, correct?” Killian questioned. He turned and stared directly at Clover.

“What the hell happened?” Killian questioned.

Clover looked at Marrow and he sighed. “Marrow diso-”

Killian’s Grave Dust arm suddenly extended and grabbed Clover by the throat, lifting him off the floor with ease. He choked in pain as Killian held him there. “Oh no, Clover. As leader it is your mission to complete, and you failed. And I have seen the ways in which you lead the Ace Ops. Especially in how you treat Marrow, in fact I don’t blame him for making the call. Why the hell should he be loyal to someone like you?” Killian scowled at him, choking him out, but then he released him.

Clover lifted his head and gasped, staring down the barrel of Killian’s pistol. “Sir! Please! I beg of you!” Clover whimpered as Killian glared at him.

Dutch watched him with shock – he never did this before.

“Killian? What’s the next mission?” Dutch asked, hoping to stop Killian from needlessly killing someone. Clover was a scumbag, no denying it, but killing him now would simply be a callous murder. Killian stared at Clover as he whimpered, but Killian just smirked.

“No. No I’m good.” Killian already made his point by showing Clover’s true colours. “Your mission still stands. But you will no longer be leading. I am now entrusting this mission… to you – Dutch.”

Dutch’s eyes widened.

Oh shit…

“Find the Happy Huntresses. Find Eryka. Find Winter. Find Robyn. Kill them all and burn any evidence, then bring me my sister, sister-in-law and nephew alive.” Killian commanded.

Shit… how am I gonna handle this now?

This is bad… my cover is gonna get blown…

But he stuck to it, this was gonna be a problem Dutch was gonna have to solve later. For now, he needed Killian to think he was still on his side.

He stood to attention and saluted him.

“It will be done.” Dutch promised, turning and walking away with the Ace Ops. Clover scurried after them as they left.

Killian watched them go and he held his arms behind his back, looking out across Remnant from the Shadow of Broken Promises.

Things just got a lot more complicated.

Chapter 22: The Savannah

Chapter Text

Blake

 

The walk continued through the savannah.

From time to time they killed Grimm that tried to attack, but these lands were hard for Grimm to pull off a successful ambush on roaming Huntsmen and Huntresses. By the time they attack the warriors had already cut them down, since they could not camouflage in the dry grass. Ren ran his fingers through the blades, and Blake listened to the birds that flew in the sky, calling out across the horizon.

Passing by more and more ruins of the ancient, destroyed city of Sklavedon. Yang looked at one of the chunks of building, covered in vegetation and weathered away by the elements over years and years. Yang then looked at Blake and Weiss as they walked, and she caught up to the two of them. Things were still tense after that night when those bad memories were brought up once again.

“Hey… you two, okay?” Yang softly asked them.

“Yeah.” Weiss assured, Yang still felt like she was shunned, and Weiss could tell. “Look… I know you, Yang. And I know you’re still the good person you’ve always been… it’s just hard for us to remember the old times.”

“Because of what happened?” Yang assumed, immediately taking the blame.

“Not… just that.” Weiss admitted as she held her forearm as they walked, Yang glanced at her. Then it hit her, and she squeezed her eyes shut.

“Oh gods… I’m so sorry. I wasn’t thinking.” She sighed.

“It’s okay, Yang. Really. It’s just that… trying to think about how things were? Back before we lost… Neptune… and Sun? It hurts when old memories come back… because then you remember that so many people… ones we loved… are all gone.” Weiss explained, closing her eyes with grief. Blake could sense her inner pain, hell she could feel it within herself whenever she pictured Sun’s face. She gently squeezed Weiss’ shoulder to make her feel better, which always helped.

“I know what you mean.” Ren said as he walked behind them. “Sometimes I remember the days when Jaune would just… awkwardly try and ask for girl advice from me. Then I remember he’s gone… it hurts.”

“I miss that dork.” Nora sighed.

“But that’s just it.” He said as he walked up to the two of them. “If we just… refuse to acknowledge the past? If we just keep trying to leave it all behind, and not face it… it’s just gonna hurt us more and more.” Ren said.

Weiss and Blake looked ahead as they walked but they listened to his words. “How am I supposed to think like that after… after I left Sun to die?” Blake asked him.

“You didn’t, not from what you told us.” Ren explained.

“Ren’s right. Sun made you run, you never left him. He knew the consequences of what he chose… and he faced them. Hell knowing him he probably spat into Death’s face.” Nora stated with a smile, chuckling at the image of him doing that.

“If we force ourselves to forget all our memories… both good and bad… then we’d be insulting their memory. I always choose to remember the good times we shared with Jaune. Every time he made us laugh or came up with some genius strategy to beat an enemy. Or his… terrible jokes.” Ren chuckled, which made all of them laugh.

“I never got to know him – but from how you talked about him, he seemed like a cool guy.” Oscar chimed in.

“He was.” Nora beamed a smile back at him.

“Even… after everything that happened between us?” Weiss asked as she looked at Ren, and he just nodded his head.

“We both chose to follow the paths we believed in. And in the end, when you knew what the Black Gallows were really doing, you came to help us.” Ren explained. “What drove us apart… it was complicated… but Valravn was always at the centre.”

Just mentioning his name…

Yang gasped, nearly screamed, as an Apparition of Valravn suddenly lunged directly at her with a terrifying roar. His hand extended for her and she flinched, looking away. Just as he got close, she opened her eyes… and everyone around her was gone. “Blake? Weiss?” Yang cried out, desperately looking around. The sky had gone dark, and she could hear the chimes clinking together… and the whispers in the air.

“Darkness hides within you… child of the sun…” The dark voice of Valravn snarled, Yang turned and saw him stood by a tree where Wind Chimes dangled. He walked towards her. Just like Ruby, she was also haunted by her ancient relative. Even after death he still haunts them, and the mere mention of that monster’s name was enough to snap Yang back into the Branwen Connection.

Most of the time… it was empty… not a single sound.

But other times, her nightmares would drift into this realm, as if it were reviving Valravn into her mind. It was moments like these that scared Yang to her core, thinking that Valravn was still out there somewhere.

“Go… away.” Yang growled.

“You fear that which is true, you fear the beating heart that you believe is a tumour. I am you and you are me, we are Branwen. And through you, the bloodline shall continue… forever.” Valravn whispered.

“You’re dead… you’re not real… just leave me alone.” She begged, raising her fists as if she were going to fight him.

“Continue to hide from who you truly are. But nothing can change the truth.” Valravn stated, then Yang roared with fury as her eyes flushed red and hair burned gold then blue, and she blasted shot after shot at Valravn. The shells exploded against him, and he stood his ground, completely impervious by her bullets.

He stared her down, and suddenly Blake was on her knees before Valravn. And he raised his blade to her neck.

“Your love for her drives you, yet she fears what you truly are. Do you not see what she sees? That you are a Branwen? Nothing can change the truth.” Valravn spoke, Yang gritted her teeth as her burning hair heated the ground, burning the grass and leaving ashes all around her.

“Leave her alone!” Yang roared.

“From the ashes of those who came before may life spring anew… and from the rivers that ran red with blood… will the new take the first drink of life.” He said, and he went to slice open Blake’s throat.

“NO!” Yang howled as she blasted towards Valravn and punched straight through him.

Then everything went dark…

She laid in the ashes… and she stared at her hands, seeing nothing but ashes trailing away. Then she turned to see Blake laid beside her… gently caressing her cheek. In her mind… her beautiful amber eyes were back, and they even seemed to glow as she gazed at her. Wearing a beautiful white dress that lit up the darkness, with an almost angelic beauty.

“Wake up.”

“Yang? Wake up! Wake up!” Blake cried out desperately as she shook her, Yang gasped as her eyes opened and she frantically looked around. Expecting to see Valravn there, but luckily it was all just a nightmare in her head.

“Oh thank the gods… you’re finally back with us.” Weiss sighed with relief. Yang then looked confused.

“What happened?” Yang asked.

“You just… collapsed.” Blake answered as she gently held Yang’s cheek. “You gave us quite a fright.”

“W-Where are we?” Yang asked with confusion in her voice as she started to sit upright.

“Yeah…” Blake softly said with a nervous tone in her voice. Yang then looked around and saw they were in an old destroyed town. But there was something very familiar here… especially when she saw the scorch marks in the destroyed buildings.

“H-How did I… how long was I out?” Yang asked, they all looked at Blake.

“Blake carried you here. We couldn’t risk leaving you out in the sun, you could’ve gotten heatstroke. Blake insisted on getting you here.” Oscar revealed, Yang looked at her and Blake softly smiled and blushed.

“Yeah…”

Yang smiled. “Thanks, Blake.”

“What the hell happened on your end? Because it looked like you were dreaming?” Weiss asked.

“I… I saw Valravn again. It was another attack… it forcefully threw me back into the Branwen Connection… and like always I felt nothing else in there. But… my nightmares… they tend to seep into that place sometimes. And it happened there again… Valravn messing with me.” Yang explained, rubbing her tired eyes, then stroking her blonde hair, a simple habit she did whenever she felt uncomfortable.

“I’m so sorry, Yang… it’s my fault that happened. I brought him up.” Ren sighed sadly; guilt ridden.

“Don’t be, tiny things can trigger it. Just like Ruby. Wind Chimes tend to be a big one for both of us, but sometimes merely mentioning his name can… make me have a panic attack. Or have something like that happen to me.” Yang explained, massaging her head, which was hurting a bit.

“Here, you’re dehydrated.” Nora offered her canteen of cold water to her, and Yang accepted.

“Wait, what about you?” Yang asked the pregnant Huntress.

“Excuse me, I’m not the one who just passed out. Worry about you, missy.” Nora replied.

“Okay, ma’am.” Yang softly giggled. She drank some of the water and gave it back to her, then she stood back up, and looked around.

“So… what is this place?” Yang inquired.

“This… is where the revolution began. Six years ago.” Blake answered, and Yang’s eyes widened.

“Oh… gods… I remember hearing about this.”

 

Salem

 

Six years ago… in this very town…

A town named Kurokuma, it was just another gentle town that lived out in the wilderness of Eastern Anima, however a lot of mothers, fathers, siblings and lovers lost loved ones to the Inhumane Necessity. They were not the first, but they were by far one of the more vocal communities to stand up against Salem.

Protestors crowded in the street and yelled relentlessly at the Black Gallows Spokesman who tried to calm the situation down. “Everyone, please! Remain calm, this transition of power was never going to be seamless, but it had to be done! For the greater good of the people!” He called out with his microphone.

“Greater Good? What about my son? He was murdered by your so-called peacekeepers!” A mother yelled.

“Or my wife? Did she deserve what the Grimm did to her?” A husband cried out with tears in his eyes.

“I understand this is hard to accept, but their sacrifices are worth the future we’re going to build.” The Spokesman said, until one woman got up and punched him in the face so hard it knocked him out.

“Asshole.” She picked up the microphone and started to speak. “Everyone! It is time we make our voices heard by this so-called queen! She has taken everything from us! And the most powerful company on the planet is now in the hands of Arthur Watts! He has all the money and the power, and we have… no offence, jack shit.” She laughed, which made everyone laugh and cheer.

“And yeah… we could just roll over and just give up, right? But I can’t… how can I go home and look my baby girl in the eyes and tell her that her father died saving us? When I know that he was murdered by monsters wearing black armour?” She listed.

Everyone cheered harder, and there were so many people livestreaming her speech. “It’s time we stand up for what’s right!”

“Hell yeah, Lavender!” A man cheered.

“We’re gonna hold Salem accountable! We’re gonna hold Killian accountable! The whole goddamn Black Gallows will be held accountable and will be punished for the loved ones they stole from us! Yes! YES!” Lisa Lavender cheered.

Then everything fell silent.

As Salem landed right next to her, everyone backed up with wide eyes as Salem looked at the large crowd. “Good morning everyone.” She calmly greeted with a kind smile, turning to Lisa and opening her palm to the microphone. “May I?”

Lavender merely loosened her grip and Salem used her telekinesis to pull the microphone into her palm. She smiled and gently touched Lisa’s shoulder. “Thank you. C.C.T’s Top Reporter – Lisa Lavender – everybody.” She said as she held her hand out to the familiar face. “Such a talented woman. Did you all see that perfect Shine rendition she did online? So beautiful.” Salem chuckled as she walked down the steps of the stage that they made with trucks.

“But of course… why did she do it? Because she wanted to support the families who lost someone from the Inhumane Necessity. Now, believe me – I did not want things to go down that way. Not at all… but after Ruby Rose and her compatriots brutally slaughtered the good Councillors of the Unified Governments of Remnant? Well… such an atrocity could never happen again, so we made sure that it wouldn’t.” Salem explained, but the people were not so easy to convince.

“If it were just the terrorists then maybe we’d get it, but you murdered innocents! Children!” A man yelled from the crowd.

“My little girls were in Sanctum when your people burned it to the ground! They were good!” A mother cried.

“Yes. I know. And trust me, I am upset for their loss too. I wish I could go back and easily make the problem made by those terrorists go away. But consider… how many other Huntsmen and Huntresses did similar atrocities? Jackdaw Branwen. Cinder Fall. Emerald Sustrai. Mercury Black. The list goes on, and on and on.” Salem explained. “The system Professor Ozpin created was constantly harming the innocent people of the world… and under my leadership as Queen – I can promise you – this will never happen again.”

“You’re not our Queen!” A woman yelled.

“Yeah! You’re no queen!”

“Okay… okay, everyone… calm down.” Salem shushed, but everyone kept repeating the same words, yelling at the same time in unison.

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

“YOU’RE NO QUEEN!”

Salem glared at the roaring crowd… and something… snapped in her as she just saw this horde of fools who refused to listen. Then she just dropped the mic and it hit the ground… and the entire crowd fell silent.

The Dark Queen sighed, and her eyes suddenly shone bright red. A powerful blast of red energy formed into a beam from her eyes as she cut straight through the face of the woman who yelled first, and the crowd started to disperse in terror, screaming. But Salem did not stop there, she cut every single person in there down, her heat vision carved clean through the houses and buildings like a knife through butter. Blood was everywhere, staining the roads and the walls as she chopped them all to bits with her heat vision.

Then… the crowd was dead, she turned to Lisa and lifted her off the ground with her telekinesis… and snapped her neck. Her lifeless corpse hit the ground, then Salem silently flew off with a bang.

And the whole thing was filmed on livestreaming Scrolls.

And thus… the Revolution against Salem begun.

 

Blake

 

“But it didn’t last long. Salem, the Grimm and the Black Gallows were too much… and they slaughtered any who stood against Salem. Eventually… anyone who disagreed or hated Salem were too afraid to stand up. And now… society is ruled by cruel men and women who believe Salem is right, whilst everyone else cowers in fear.” Blake explained.

They looked around at the remains of this once bustling town… with nothing but old blood stains left behind and destroyed buildings.

All caused by Salem’s outburst.

Even the truck bed used as a stage was still there, with the dent in the bed where Salem landed.

“And she calls this peace.” Nora scoffed. “It’s just fear…”

Blake sighed, rubbing the tear from her eye as she imagined the fear all those poor men and women felt as they tried to flee, only to be cut down by Salem.

“Come on… I wanna make some distance from this place.” Blake said, they all silently agreed, following Blake.

Leaving this Mass Grave behind…

 

Eryka

 

She kept her eyes on the sky, the storm had set in and the wind was howling.

Icy cold rain fell upon the fields of Anima, rustling the blades of grass and blooming flowers. Lightning crackled in the darkening skies. Eryka was leant against the doorframe with Constantine Damascus still in her hand, and Dulcis perched on her shoulder. Softly chirping as he nuzzled against her cheek. “Hey, sweetie… it’s okay. I know you don’t like the rain.” She cooed as she gently stroked his head. But she just couldn’t help but watch the sky.

They could still be out there…

“Hey, Eryka? C’mon…” Winter ushered, and she sighed, stepping away from the doorframe and letting it close behind her. She walked down the steps into the Bunker, still hearing the rumbling of the rain hitting the roof of the shack. She holstered her bow as she walked in the room, seeing everyone hard at work as they tried to find some clues about where Lavinia could have gone.

“Any ideas on what we should be looking for? She’s your mom, after all.” Joanna asked, rummaging through some old boxes with old booze in them.

“You say that like we used to chat the shit all the time. I knew nothing about who she really was, I’m just as much in the dark as you are.” Eryka explained as she looked around the room. Winter glanced at her as she walked around the room, and she sat down beside her.

“What is it?” Winter inquired.

“I don’t like this… the first time the Ace Ops let us go it made sense. That was Dutch scaring them off with the recording of Higanbana… but this time?” Eryka explained. “It feels like they’re waiting for us to let our guard down.”

“Or send reinforcements.” Winter agreed.

“It was Marrow.” Fiona said, Eryka and Winter looked at the youngest Huntress.

“What do you mean?” Winter inquired.

“I managed to get through to him. I wanted to help him, he’s a young guy, and judging by his age he would have only been a student when the Inhumane Necessity happened. Maybe a year or two younger than me. I don’t blame him for choosing their side… he was a kid… and didn’t wanna die. If I was in his position back, then… I may have done the same.” Fiona explained as she reached through some of the crates and files, flicking through them.

May looked back at her. “No you wouldn’t have… you’re one of the toughest gals I know.” May assured with a gentle smile.

Fiona sweetly returned the smile. “Thanks.” She then set the file down on her lap. “I can just see it in him… he doesn’t want any part of this. The fact he called in that Wasp for a retreat shows a lot. I just hope he’s okay…”

Robyn looked at her. “You care for him, don’t you?”

“I dunno… he just reminds me of who I once was. A little Faunus girl who wanted to be more, but the Humans made me be less. The Schnee Dust Company crushed me down, forced me into the Mines for hard labour… just because of my race. And until I met you, Robyn, I did whatever I had to so that I’d survive. Even horrible things… because I didn’t believe there was anything better. But you saved me from that Mine.” Fiona explained as she smiled happily at her.

She then looked down at the file on her lap. “I guess… I just wanna do the same for someone else.”

“I take it nobody else noticed Vine is a robot, right?” May inquired curiously.

“Yeah… I thought I saw that.” Joanna agreed, sounding just as surprised. “I know the Black Gallows have been doing some weird and messed up shit in the past few years… especially with Salem. I mean seeing what Adam Taurus has become… I dunno why it surprises me. But he’s like Penny.”

“Maybe he’s a new replacement for her. One they can control.” Winter said as she wrung her hands together. “I remember Ironwood talking about his concerns of Penny going rogue, but Pietro always put his foot down.” She chuckled.

“Maybe Killian has made a new one.” Eryka agreed. “Scares me to imagine whatever else he has made.”

Eryka stood up and started to look around with them, and Winter sharpened her sword with her personal whetstone. She started searching through the many shelves. “I don’t get it. Did Dutch know that Lavinia is the Winter Maiden?” Robyn started to wonder.

“I dunno, but if Killian knew then there’s a strong possibility.” Eryka explained.

“He could have let us know.” May sighed.

“Dutch said that Killian is starting to become paranoid, it’s possible he doesn’t know who to trust anymore. Dutch may be out of the loop in more ways than one now.” Robyn explained as she helped Eryka check the shelves.

“You sure you can trust him?” She asked her.

Robyn looked at Eryka and sighed. “Why is everyone so quick to write him off?”

“He’s Black Gallows. That’s more than enough reason for me to have trust issues. Those bastards are the reason us Huntresses are having to hide in creepy bunkers, afraid to fall asleep at night.” Eryka explained.

“And besides… first time we met him, we interrogated and tortured him for info on Killian. Took him a while to spit anything out.” Winter explained.

“Well he kept us safe for six years and has helped us more than once after we decided to fight back.” Robyn explained. “I trust him… so trust me.”

“Yeah… trust the woman who wore a false identity for years and was with Killian.” Eryka scoffed.

“Eryka…” Winter sighed.

“You got a problem?” Robyn snarked back, which made Eryka stare right back at her, the two squared up against each other.

“No offense, but I can’t trust someone who can switch names and faces whenever they choose.” Eryka stated.

“I did what I did to get information out of Killian. I wanted to know who we’re up against, and I hate going into a fight blind.” Robyn explained, Eryka narrowed her eyes at her, and Robyn did the same. But as she glared at the Leader of the Happy Huntresses, something caught her eye.

A flicker… of blue light…

… from some sort of hologram.

Eryka immediately shoved past her and approached the source. “Hey!” Robyn retorted, but Eryka just snapped her fingers at her.

“What?” Winter asked, standing up quickly.

“There was a hologram here for a few seconds…” Eryka commented, looking around. She then started to shove aside the boxes. Winter helped Eryka move the boxes aside and eventually they found it… a holographic message receiver.

It was like a disc on the ground about the size of a table made of metal that would project a life-sized hologram of the messenger. Sometimes would be used for live calls as well, but it was old. Nowadays people used the same Hologram Drones that Killian used when they were attacked by the Ace Ops earlier.

“She did leave something here…” Eryka said, then jolted.

“SCANNING: WELCOME ERYKA VASILLIAS. PLAYING MESSAGE.” The automated computer spoke, Eryka’s blue eyes widened.

“That’s why it never appeared… it needed a Vasillias to unlock it. Always the paranoid one, my mom.” Eryka said as everyone gathered around. The message loaded up… and there she stood. Lavinia Vasillias, she held her arms together over her chest.

“Enter Log. Eryka, I know that you’re searching for me. Some of my spies I sent to the Summit’s Claim overheard your plan. I was gonna be waiting for you but then the attack happened. Well… I say attack… I knew they were coming. I prepared for this; I knew Salem would try something eventually.” Lavinia explained.

“She sent spies to the Claim?” Winter sighed.

“Of course she did… always needs eyes and ears in every corner of Remnant.” Eryka said.

“I know… it doesn’t surprise me, honestly.” Winter admitted.

“I know you’ll find your way here eventually, you’re smart and can sniff out clues quicker than anyone. So congratulations on finding all my cleverly hidden hints. I also know that Robyn Hill and her compatriots are hiding there – I can’t imagine that’s a coincidence.” Lavinia explained. “I have moved my forces to Vacuo, to a hidden base out in the Dune Sea. If you want to keep searching for me… get your ass to these deserts. I imagine we’re gonna have a lot to talk about.”

The message ended, but the computerised voice spoke up. “File Uploaded to Eryka Vasillias’ Scroll.”

She felt the scroll vibrate and she pulled it out, opening the screen. She saw the file in her folder, so she opened it up… and saw a map of Vacuo and its massive deserts. And she had placed a marker on her location.

“That’s it… that’s where she’s hiding.” Eryka gasped.

“Are you sure enlisting the help of a Cartel Boss is a good idea? I mean… I’ve heard the stories.” Fiona asked nervously.

“She’s my mother… we may have a strained relationship… but we need her.” Eryka explained.

“She’s right.” Robyn agreed. “If what these two told us is true, then having a Fully Realised Winter Maiden on our side will be a big help. And Lavinia has access to resources that will help us out too.”

Robyn turned to Eryka and Winter. “Looks like we’re gonna have to get to Vacuo.”

“Yeah… and hope this doesn’t end badly.” Eryka agreed.

 

Blake

 

They continued on after leaving the ruins of Kurokuma, walking over the dry fields of the Savannah. Herbivorous animals grazed together; soft birdsong echoed from the trees.

Oscar walked up the field and slowed down, pointing ahead. “There…” He identified, and they also saw it.

The sea.

It seemed like it just went on forever, even curved up into the sky. Of course that was simply just an optical illusion due to how blue it was, contrasted against the sky. “Oh finally.” Nora groaned with relief, gently touching her belly.

“What’s this place called?” Yang asked as she walked next to Blake.

“Blackrock Harbour. It’s the most popular trading post for Anima and Menagerie. The people here are not like the ones in the city of Mistral, in fact it is one of the few towns that broke off from Anima and the Council to live their own life. They still trade but lived by their own laws, and in those laws – everyone was accepted. Human and Faunus alike. I think that was one of the big reasons why Menagerie Merchants tended to come here. At least… they wouldn’t be scrutinized.” Blake explained.

“Nice to know not all of these places were destroyed.” Yang said.

“Do you think their willingness to trade with Mistral helped keep them safe? From the U.G.R’s corruption?” Weiss wondered, knowing that the odds were high that many places were specifically targeted for not agreeing with the Council’s Methods.

“Maybe. I know this place had a lot of Mistraalian Officials trying to remove the people in charge and slowly turn it into yet another town that served the Council. But… well… the leaders were not so naïve.” Blake explained, which made Yang chuckle.

“I would’ve loved to see that exchange.” Yang joked.

They approached Blackrock Harbour; it was a large town. Not a city, though, it was nowhere near the level of success as Argus was. But it was believed that one day this place could expand to that level of size. End of the day, this town is relatively young, just as Menagerie was. And thanks to the flat land that the Savannah provided, alongside the monumental size of the Savannah itself, they could easily make expansions. Build large walls and become something truly great.

Men and Women, Humans and Faunus, easily traded with each other hear. The sound of seagulls cried out over the sky, and bells from the boats rang out.

“So what’s Menagerie like? I’ve never been there.” Yang asked.

“Yeah, neither have I.” Weiss agreed.

“Or us.” Nora added, which made Oscar chuckle.

“I haven’t… but I remember some of Ozpin’s memories of the place. Would be nice to see it for myself though.” Oscar said.

“It’s beautiful. Despite its history and how we were just crammed away down here by the Humans, the place is utterly beautiful to look at. Crystal white beaches, bright blue water, tropical weather… although the Deserts are a bit scarier.” Blake explained.

“Scarier than Vacuo?” Ren inquired.

“Not as vast but still has a lot of dangerous wildlife. Alongside Grimm… I’ve heard stories of Blind Worms living there but I think those are just stories. Like I said, the desert is nowhere near as huge as Vacuo’s Dune Sea. If there are Blind Worms… then there are not many.” Blake explained.

“I can’t wait to see it.” Yang beamed.

“Have you thought about what you’re gonna say to your parents?” Nora asked with a big smile.

“I… gods… I don’t even know where I can begin. I mean…” She reached up to her blindfold. “How do I explain this? My mom… my father… it’s gonna break their hearts.”

“Hey, you’re alive. Finding out you’re okay after all these years will be more than enough.” Weiss assured.

“But… what if they get angry?” Blake asked, which made Weiss chuckle.

“As someone who knows what it is like to live with a father who was prone to anger? I think you’ll be fine; I didn’t know your parents that well when we met them at Beacon ten years ago… but I could tell they were good and loved you unconditionally. It will be fine, and besides… you’re not alone.” Weiss assured.

“Thanks.” Blake smiled.

They slowed down and looked around. “Okay… which one of these ships is headed for Vacuo?” Yang inquisitively wondered.

“Yeah… I’m no help here. I can only see Aura, remember?” Blake commented jokingly, shrugging her shoulders.

Oscar examined the large Merchant Vessels that floated at the docks, then he sensed Ozpin. “There.” He said.

“Huh? Which?” Oscar asked.

“The one with the smallest amount of crates on the back. The symbol on the side of it is the Menagerie Clan Symbol, the one that used to be the same symbol for the Old White Fang.” Ozpin explained.

“It’s a good thing you’re in my head, that would’ve taken me ages to figure out.” Oscar chuckled.

“It seems we make quite the fine pair, you and I.” Ozpin chuckled.

“Yeah, yeah… if you even think about saying I told you so, I’m gonna find a way to punch you.” Oscar promised, which made Ozpin laugh.

“My lips are sealed.” Ozpin assured, so Oscar pointed at the Trade Ship.

“There, that one is from Menagerie.” Oscar identified. “See the crates? They have the Menagerie symbol on them.”

“Good eyes.” Ren congratulated, and the team approached that area of the docks. They kept their hoods up just in case, end of the day they all had hefty bounties on their heads now. They approached the ship and jumped aboard, stowing away in the cargo hold.

Blake sat down on one box and she wrapped her arms around her knees, glancing over to Weiss, seeing her staring at the crates. She squeezed her eyes shut with… grief. They were S.D.C Crates, filled with dust crystals. She did not have any love for her father – but Whitley and Willow did not deserve what happened to them that night in the Foundations of Sovereignty.

Weiss just sat down and sighed. Blake continued to sit there as she heard the bells ring, and the ship departed.

Headed for Menagerie.

Time to go home…

 

Pyrrha

 

That previous night did not have the best effect on the team’s morale.

Pyrrha could tell as she everyone remaining completely quiet for a couple hours now. Ruby and Penny were always glued together, but even she could sense the trepidation in the air. She could understand where Cinder was coming from… they were up against a threat that could not be killed. Armies have thrown everything they had at her, Jaune blew her up, and she has lived for thousands of years… maybe over a million years. How do you fight something like that?

But then again… someone had to try.

They can’t give up, otherwise the innocent, people like Amber, will suffer if Salem remains in charge.

Pyrrha turned when she sensed his presence once more, looking to the side as the Brother of Darkness walked beside her. “I can feel the doubts lingering in all of you. Do you understand what will happen if you fail?”

“Oh will you be quiet?” Pyrrha said internally at the Brother. “Things are hard enough as it is.”

“And things will only grow more challenging. Tell me, what will you do when you face Salem? Will you crumple, fall apart before her? Or will you charge head on, despite your fear, and fight valiantly?” The Brother of Darkness inquired.

“I dunno… I guess we’ll have to wait and see, won’t we?” Pyrrha replied, he stared at her then slowly lingered away.

“Hmm… interesting…” He concluded, disappearing once more into the back of her mind, she always shuddered after every conversation.

The woods cleared, and they could smell the nearby sea. They were nearly at the place that they could take a sea-worthy vehicle and crossed the sea with so then they can get to Vale. But as they exited the trees… they found something they had become all too familiar with.

Yet another fallen Anima Village.

This one was old though, most likely was destroyed during the Inhumane Necessity. They walked inside of the town, the signs were all destroyed, no telling what this place was called. Just another nameless graveyard for the people who lost their lives from that dark day. “Poor bastards… didn’t stand a chance.” Cinder said as she looked at all the destroyed and overgrown buildings. Bullet holes everywhere, and claw marks too.

“Black Gallows or Grimm?” Ruby wondered.

“Both.” Cinder confirmed. “Most likely started with a Black Gallows attack and were finished off by the Grimm that got drawn in by the chaos.”

Pyrrha walked around the town with them and stopped when she felt her boot bump into something. She looked down and her green eyes widened, and she crouched down. There was a dead, decomposed, corpse. Sat against the wall, clad in old, rusted armour with a broken weapon on the ground. His armour was slashed to pieces, and she could see the dark stains of blood against the concrete behind him. “Huntsman… was probably hired to protect this place. So the Black Gallows came to make sure no loose ends were left behind.”

“Looks like he held them off for a while. Fair play to him.” Ruby said as she looked around, Pyrrha remained there for a few moments…

Reminds me of him… when he was leant against that fountain… before the explosion…

Pyrrha turned when she heard Cinder coughing by a ruined building. “You okay?” Pyrrha asked her, standing up.

She sounded a bit raspy, laboured breath, for a few moments before she returned to normal. “Yeah, yeah. Just got this annoying cough is all.” Cinder shrugged, so Pyrrha nodded, and they walked around.

Ruby looked back and forth. “Penny?” She called out.

“Where’d she go?” Pyrrha wondered, they all started to look around and Ruby ran ahead and stopped. Penny was stood in the town square, looking increasingly disturbed. She was shaking, muttering to herself.

“No… no… not again… please not this again.” She whimpered as she pressed her hands against her head. Ruby immediately rushed over to her whilst Pyrrha and Cinder watched her with confused faces.

“What the hell?” Cinder mumbled. “This sort of thing normal?”

“How should I know?” Pyrrha asked.

“I dunno, you knew her before you ripped her to shreds. Was she ever like this?” Cinder asked.

“Again, I don’t know. I hardly even knew Penny, we barely met. And please stop bringing that up… it’s not a good memory.” Pyrrha sighed, squeezing her eyes shut in grief. Cinder looked at her then just sighed.

She just patted Pyrrha on the shoulder as she walked over to Ruby and Penny.

That’s… the closest to an “I’m sorry” I’ve ever seen from her.

Pyrrha also followed, and heard what Ruby and Penny were saying, Ruby spoke is a gentle loving voice as she hugged Penny tight, kissing her cheek. Almost cradling her. “It’s okay… I’m here.” She promised.

“It… It’s like Kuchinashi…” She whimpered.

“No. No it isn’t. It’s nothing like that, and… please… Penny? Stop blaming yourself for that? You can’t do that to yourself.” Ruby begged her.

Cinder and Pyrrha both exchanged another glance.

“The hell is she talking about?” Cinder asked.

“Not now.” Ruby firmly answered.

“This isn’t the first time I’ve heard that town mentioned. I think we oughta know.” Pyrrha stated.

Ruby glared at them both. “I said. Not. Now.” Ruby sternly repeated, silver eyes glaring straight at the two of them. They both backed down and Pyrrha crossed her arms. Ruby held her close and then looked into Penny’s distraught eyes. “Penny… I love you. Okay? I’ll always be here… please just tell me when something is wrong, okay?” Ruby asked her.

Penny sniffled and smiled, then Ruby gave her a passionate kiss on the lips. They pressed their heads together, gazing into each other’s eyes with undying adoration. Cinder turned when she heard the sound of people talking, this prompted her to snap her fingers at the others and get them down. They saw them wander out into the woods, and they all just rolled their eyes.

A young couple…

Deciding to have some fun together in the woods. “Ugh gods… how are people this thick?” Cinder grumbled, sounding like an old lady. They easily snuck by the smitten pair and approached the small Fishing Village.

Brooker’s Fishery.

There were not many people here, but they had some pretty good fishing boats, equipment… and something very exquisite. “Hello…” Cinder mumbled.

“Huh?” Ruby asked.

“Look at that… whoever owns this place is richer than the place appears… or stole it. That’s an Atlesian Hover Sail. We can easily use that to cross the Sea. We’ll be at Vale in a matter of hours.” Cinder explained, their eyes widened.

“Well… I’m gonna guess he’s not gonna just… let us take it, right?” Ruby asked, Cinder smirked.

Moments later, the Hover Sail shot off across the sea with Team C.P.P.R aboard. “I’m sorry!” Pyrrha apologised as they shot off.

Unaware…

… of the hooded individual watching them. She raised her scroll to her ear. “I have eyes on the prize… they’re on the way.”

Watts chuckled on the other end.

“Finally.”

 

 

Chapter 23: Conflict on the Seas

Chapter Text

Oscar

 

He laid in the corner with his head rested against the wall, asleep… and his eyes started to move around behind his closed eyelids.

Inside… he was adream.

He sat upright in is dream and looked at his palms. For some strange reason it felt like he was not in his own body, but… he was. He uncomfortably scratched the back of his neck and looked around. Unlike the darkness Pyrrha was surrounded by, he saw a thick layer of purple mist in the air. He stood upright; his boots trudged into the almost glowing purple water in the floor. “Hello?” He called out with confusion, then a green light formed behind him. He turned and swiftly reached for his weapon, only to see Ozpin stood before him.

“Hello, Oscar.” Ozpin greeted with his hands atop his cane, and he slowly approached.

“Ozpin? What… what is this?” Oscar inquired.

“Well… I guess you could call this my connection. Similar to the one the Branwens have, except unlike the Branwens… old friends could still be seen here.” He explained, Oscar turned, and his eyes widened in awe.

A man, clad in armour unlike suit he had ever seen before, approached. He held a Sceptre with a glowing green crystal adorning the very tip of the elegantly crafted spear. He had a dark tanned skin tone and messy brown hair alongside brown eyes. He was a tall man with an impressive stature, yet despite all his strength – it was clear that he was a very humble man. “Hello old friend.” Ozpin greeted.

“Who are you?” Oscar asked.

“My name is Ozma. I… am the original form of the man you know as Professor Ozpin. From a time long forgotten.” He explained as he gently held his Sceptre in his hands. He sighed and closed his eyes with regret. “I am glad to finally make your acquaintance, Mr Pine. Although I must also give you my sincerest apology. This burden that has been unfairly laid upon your shoulders… I wish it were not the case. But as you know, it is not my choice.”

“What is all this? Why am I here?” Oscar asked, and Ozma nodded his head as he walked to Ozpin.

“As Ozpin explained, this place is a realm made for all the incarnations of me. Where we all may come and go as we please, to help guide the next incarnation to help them defeat Salem.” Ozma explained.

“How many are there?” Oscar asked.

“I believe you are the seventieth generation.” Ozma answered. “Ozpin was your predecessor, and thus he is the one who shall directly guide you. And should you be unable to defeat her this generation, then you will guide the next. But as you can see, know that you will never be alone.” Ozma explained.

Oscar turned to the mystical plain he was stood within, and he saw more of the Incarnations forming from the mist. An old frail man hobbled towards him, a larger man with glasses and a short stubbly beard. A tall man with a neatly made moustache, and another with a similar face as to Ozma, just with silver hair instead of brown, wearing what looked to be a Wizard’s Attire.

“Of course, we can change the locale of our realm, to make it far less… dreary.” Ozpin chuckled, tapping his cane against the floor. It all transformed around them, Oscar watched with wide eyes as a green energy rotated around the realm, and formed blades of grass, and towering structures. In fact… it formed what was once known as Beacon Academy. Most likely a location constructed from Ozpin’s specific memories.

“You still haven’t answered my question.” Oscar commented as he walked with the many iterations of Ozma. “Why have you… summoned… me here?” Oscar asked.

“Ah yes, my apologies.” Ozma chuckled softly. “You see, you and Ozpin have connected enough for your soul to become compatible with our domain. Through here, we will be able to teach you the arts of magic that are slowly becoming more capable through your body. You do not know it, but our presence is slowly gifting you with more and more skills.”

“And through here, you will be able to learn spells and powers that in the real world would take months. Alongside… learning anything else you need to know.” The Drunkard answered, his name was evident to Oscar from the bottle in his hand. Although he never seemed to drink it.

“Wow… that makes a lot of sense. Saves a lot of time too, I guess.” Oscar agreed.

“Indeed. Of course, as the God of Light told me when I was reincarnated, the form would ensure that we would all be connected. To never be alone. A soul left alone will only decay and become weaker. Isolation weakens us, but by being connected? We will always be strong.” Ozma explained as he walked with Oscar.

They approached a field together, the blades of grass rustled together. “What… what will happen to me? Will you just… possess me?” Oscar inquired.

“No, you have nothing to fear from us. Through reincarnation, we simply act as guides for you, and from time to time the predecessor can take control. This method will also help accelerate your capabilities with our powers and strength. But you will still remain who you are. Just as everyone who came before has been.” Ozma explained, then Oscar looked at Ozpin.

“That’s nice to know.” Oscar said with a smile. “Wait, you said I was the seventieth generation… where are the others? There’s only seven of you?” Oscar inquired.

Ozma, The Farmer, The Hermit, The Drunkard, The Settler, The Wanderer and Ozpin himself.

“They are always here, however only the seven of us chose to show ourselves to you today. Maybe some other time. You must understand, for the most part we are at peace, but can always reawaken our souls within you to help whenever you need it.” Ozpin explained with a smile.

“So… technically you could be at peace right now? You’re choosing to stay with me?” Oscar inquired.

“That is correct.” Ozpin assured with a smile; it was humbling to know that Ozpin cared enough to do such a thing.

“Has there ever been one you have… abandoned?” Oscar inquired, Ozma sighed and closed his eyes, then turned to the Wanderer. He bowed his head.

“There was… one…” He admitted.

“Come now, Mr Pine. I believe you must be curious to learn some of the incredible powers you are already capable of?” Ozpin asked as he walked around him.

“Uh, yeah… definitely.” Oscar chuckled; excitement bubbled in his chest. Ozpin turned to the Hermit and the old man nodded, forming a glowing green version of a Beowulf. It was like one of Weiss’ Summons, just green instead of White.

“Now, watch what I do.” Ozpin instructed, he closed his eyes and held up his hand, then he swiftly moved his hand around, forming an ancient magical sign. It was like the Glyphs that Weiss used, but unlike hers, they could make an entire language of powerful spells by marking them out in the air. He made it seem so seamless, then once the sign was completed, with his other hand, he blasted his hand forward.

Suddenly a beam of glowing green lightning erupted from his hand, and completely eradicated the Beowulf. Oscar gasped with disbelief at what he just witnessed. “HOLY SHIT!” He laughed, which made the many incarnations of Ozma chuckle.

“I like him, he was quite the foul mouth, like me.” The Drunkard chuckled.

“Oh sorry, I lived with Bandits for a few years… I guess their language rubbed off on me.” Oscar chuckled.

“Worry not, we have heard far worse words. Now… repeat what I did.” Ozpin said, so Oscar stood in the same position and feebly copied his movements, but not green magical markings formed. All he saw was that Green Beowulf stood there, staring at him.

“I… I can’t… I don’t even know what I’m…” Oscar sighed.

“Did you think we all figured it out on our first try?” The Settler asked. “I think it took me three real days to figure it out in these dreams.”

“Learning the spells at first is hard, in fact it is the hardest part. Casting the signs is much harder than one thinks. But in time, you will not even have to draw the signs, you will be able to do it all immediately. But first you must understand them, like learning a new language.” Ozma explained as he walked around him.

“Alright… let’s try again…” He sighed and he raised his hand once more, and pressed his finger forward, closing his eyes and focusing. He moved his finger in the same ways that Ozpin did, but when he opened them?

Nothing.

Again.

He groaned in frustration. “Damn it.” He sighed, sitting down on a tree stump. Ozpin approached him and tapped his cane on the ground, the sound drew Oscar’s eyes to it.

“Tell me… why is that cane so important to you?” Oscar asked.

“How did you know that it was?” Ozpin inquired curiously.

“I… huh?” Oscar asked. “I dunno… I just…”

“You remembered that it is.” Ozpin answered, that caught him off guard.

“What do you mean?” Oscar asked.

“Your connection to us goes both ways. Whilst we are aware of your memories and know who you are, you know things about us as well.” Ozpin stated. “Well… glimpses, not full memories, and the same goes for our view of your memories.”

“You… you all have used this cane, haven’t you?” Oscar asked.

Ozma approached and held out his Sceptre. “This is the original form of his cane. We named it The Long Memory. Rather fitting… this weapon is more than just some stick.”

“What is it?” Oscar inquired.

“It is an extension of us. It is a part of us, just as we are all a part of each other. The saying Our Weapons are an Extension of ourselves? There is truth behind those words, especially for this particular weapon. All incarnations are able to construct it with magic.” Ozma explained, then he glanced to Ozpin and hummed.

“Hmm…” They all had the same idea. “Perhaps we were too rash with our lessons. How about we start there, this lesson will help you understand how to start using magic, but in a very simple way.” Ozpin explained as he stood Oscar up and they approached the field.

“Ooooookay.” Oscar softly said.

“Hold out your hand, Mr Pine, picture The Long Memory. Feel our memories of the Cane within your own mind, imagine the feeling of the grip, the many enemies that were struck down by it. And from these memories… call upon it. And it will answer your call.” Ozpin instructed.

Oscar held out his right hand and closed his eyes. He started to feel memories start flowing into his mind, he could feel the engraved grip of the cane, feel the impact of every strike made.

Then his eyes opened… and he gasped in awe.

A bright green light formed around his hand, and he saw the metal materialise out of thin air, and it quickly constructed the exact same weapon that Ozpin once used. He held it tight in his hand and he moved it back and forth, chuckling. “Whoa… it feels like… I’ve had this for years… longer even.” Oscar admitted.

“In a way… you have.” Ozma assured with a smile.

“He’s a fast learner.” The Farmer chuckled with a smile, then they all heard the nearby crackle of thunder.

Oscar turned and his hazel-coloured eyes widened… there was a storm nearby but was not getting any closer. The grass in that region was dead, and he saw flashes of purple lightning. Stood in this dead realm… was a figure… he was not facing them and kept his head hung down. “Wait… who is that?” Oscar asked.

“Do not mind him. He is nothing to concern yourself with.” The Wanderer advised.

“No wait, who is he? You said only previous incarnations would be here… who is that?” Oscar asked, then the Wanderer stared at him.

“The one I abandoned… the one who betrayed us all. The one who spat on our name, and chose chaos, and a lust for power over doing what was right.” The Wanderer explained.

“You must remember, Oscar. We do not make people become like us; we simply guide them along the right path. None tended to drift from it… but he did… and chose to leave a sea of blood in his wake. I pray you will not be the same.” Ozma explained, gently holding his shoulder. They all turned when they sensed something, a cold feeling was in the air.

“Hmm… it seems you are going to be needed soon. We’d best not keep you here any longer than you need to be. We will see each other again soon, Oscar. Remember… we are always with you.” Ozpin promised with a smile.

Oscar awoke with a sharp gasp, like he was thrown back to the real world… but he felt a cold metal sensation in his hand. He looked down and he gasped again… The Long Memory was in his hand.

He lifted his head and saw everyone staring at him with disbelief. “How… did you do that?” Yang asked.

“I… where do I begin?” Oscar chuckled, until suddenly the entire boat they were stowed away on shook. There was no time to give them that very complicated answer, but he immediately holstered The Long Memory and picked up his trustworthy Thunderous Deception weapons. The Chained Hammers were still retracted, the chains rattled as he ran with everyone outside.

The people on the boat were terrified, and they saw the huge beast swimming through the ocean. Huge sails of red spines cut through the surface, then it erupted. It was a Sea Feilong, and it was not alone. Syrens erupted from the water as well, climbing aboard the ship. Resembling beautiful women with scaly tails, they soon transformed when becoming aggressive. Their arms became razor sharp spikes that stabbed through the wood, eyes flushed red and similar spines with red webbing protruded from their back.

They shrieked at them, and the Sea Feilong roared with fury as golden electricity coursed across its body.

Oscar narrowed his eyes.

“It’s never easy, is it?” He sighed.

“In my experience? No.” Ozpin replied with an entertained chuckle.

 

Ruby

 

The Hover Sail effortlessly flew across the lapping waves, and nothing but a blue beauty surrounded them all. Gravity Dust kept the vehicle above the water, but it was just close enough that it kicked up the water in its wake. The sail was constructed from Hardlight Dust, and it shimmered brightly as it helped guide the boat where it needed to go.

Pyrrha elegantly sat along the broadside of the boat, and she ran her fingers through the salty water, watching as dolphins joyfully jumped through the water next to her. As the spray of seawater passed, rainbows refracted through the particles. Pyrrha could not help but chuckle as she sat there, getting their attention. “What’s up?” Ruby curiously asked her.

“Oh it’s nothing… just… remembering some fond childhood memories.” Pyrrha said as she looked out at the beautiful sea. They could see land now; it was not long until they reached Sanus. This Hover Sail truly was a wonderful piece of technology, it could not carry much in the form of resources, but it was extremely fast. In merely a few hours they were already approaching another continent.

“What memory is that?” Penny curiously asked as she shuffled across her seat. Cinder was stood holding the tiller, keeping them in the right direction, her short black hair blowing in the wind due to their speed. Yet despite how fast they were moving, the ride there was extremely relaxing. They were approaching a collection of naturally formed pillars of salt, they were huge and utterly gorgeous, glistening in the hot sun.

Pyrrha smiled as she looked at Penny and Ruby, and she relaxed. “Back when I was little? Gods… how old was I then? I think I was only six, tiny little thing. It was when my dad first took me fishing. After days and days of constant training, he and my mom thought it was a good time to let me do something that was… relaxing.” Pyrrha explained, Ruby raised a brow.

“You really have been trained ever since you were a little kid?” Ruby asked her, Pyrrha nodded her head.

“Every Nikos has been… every single Nikos has been a warrior. It’s in our blood.” Pyrrha stated.

“That’s sad.” Penny softly said.

“I guess… but I am grateful for my training. Not so much for all the fanfare I got, sure it helped me get into the Academies… but I wanted everyone to see Pyrrha Nikos. Not the Invincible Girl, honestly that was the only part of my constant training I disliked.” Pyrrha sighed as she sat there.

“Well, you’re more than the Invincible Girl now, aren’t you?” Cinder replied, her kindness in that statement genuinely surprised Pyrrha.

“I guess… although that was kinda why I’m glad my mom and dad did things like that time we went fishing. It helped me take time away from all the fighting. Although that time? I still remember it like it was yesterday.” Pyrrha chuckled.

“Why’s that?” Penny asked.

“Well, at the time I always knew my dad as this… strong warrior. He was kind to me, but when I was little… I was always fighting against him in the courtyard. So I guess I never really connected to him, never saw him as a dad – until that trip. When we were out there, he just started telling me stories. Nothing to do with fighting, or Grimm… just happy stories. About his friends, about mom… and he told me that one of the greatest achievements he ever did… was me.” Pyrrha explained with a small smile.

“That’s sweet.” Ruby smiled.

“Heh… it was calm… until this huuuuuge fish snatched up the bait and started dragging our little boat around the lake.”

“Uh oh.” Penny giggled.

“Uh oh is right. The thing was huge, and before we knew it, the boat capsized, and we were both in the water. I remember my daddy screaming, terrified I was hurt, but I was just laughing so hard I drank so much dirty water.” Pyrrha giggled, which made the others laugh. “Then my mom comes running up to the lake, are you okay? Oh gods are you two, okay? Oh no my family’s been eaten by a giant catfish!

Pyrrha was beaming, she could not see him, but the Brother of Light watched her joy, though he had no face, he was definitely smiling. “Then she saw we were okay… and she was all like… What are you doing? You could’ve hurt yourselves! Going full protective-mom-mode, y’know?”

“That’s my dad all over.” Ruby agreed with a chuckle.

“But… when we’re just floating there? My daddy just looked at her and said Don’t worry honey, we’re just swimming!” Pyrrha quoted, making them chuckle, even Cinder cracked a small smile. “That was always my dad… looked scary, being so big and strong… but deep down he is always just a big teddy bear who just loves people. I was sick for a week after all that dirty water I accidentally drank… but… I’d do it all again to relive that memory.” Pyrrha explained with a bright smile.

“I liked your parents. I remember when they first came to Beacon after the Battle… they had such a presence about them. But once you got to know them? There was never any reason to be afraid. Hell… back at your home? He was making me cookies every day!” Ruby giggled.

“No wonder you like him.” Penny teased.

“Hey, I know I’m predictable, don’t judge me.” Ruby chuckled.

Cinder looked ahead at the land, passing by the twisting towers of salt, and her hand gripped the tiller tighter. “Hazel taught me how to fish… how to swim…” She revealed, everyone turned their eyes with disbelief.

“Wait… seriously?” Ruby asked, and Cinder nodded her head. “He was still a new member to the Children of Salem then, different to how he is now. He still has honour, respect… but he’s completely zealous to Salem now. But I still remember… only a year or two after I… killed my family… and Salem took me in. I was so scared, hiding most of the time… but in time they all helped raise me. Salem in a strange way was like a mother to me, Watts was a teacher, always made me do my homework… Tyrian sometimes played with me.”

“Tyrian? Play?” Ruby questioned.

“He was a kid too, once. He was the second one Salem got her hands on… after his home was destroyed. She raised him like she raised me. But Hazel was always the kindest, always looked after me… and he once taught me how to swim. How to fish…” Cinder explained. “Seems like a different lifetime.”

“I never pictured Hazel being like that.” Penny said.

“I sometimes say the same thing… but… the other way around. I could never picture him being the monster Salem turned him into. But… I still like to remember the good times. The older I got the darker things got… and I realised it was just the same prison as my old home. But Hazel always looked out for me.” Cinder stated.

“Is that why you joined Raven? For the chance to be… free?” Pyrrha inquired.

“Something like that… alongside the fact I have seen what she did to those who failed her… or disobeyed her. Salem is not the kind to broker failure… and I knew I would suffer a very horrible consequence for failing to acquire the Beacon Relic and fail to kill Ozpin.” She explained. “I was gonna let myself die after you stopped me from killing Pyrrha.” Cinder looked at Ruby, and the Silver Eyed Warrior lowered her head. “Then Raven opened a portal to save me… I guess she saw me falling and noticed I gave up.”

“You miss her?” Ruby inquired.

“All the time… I know what she did to your mom, her and your Uncle. But… I wouldn’t be who I am today if not for her.”

“Not just her, Cinder. And not just Amber, either. Don’t count out the changes you made on yourself… by yourself. You have come a long way from Beacon.” Penny explained.

“Maybe.” Cinder replied.

The Hover Sail continued to soar across the ocean, passing by the Pillars of Salt, Pyrrha looked at the beautiful natural formations. Seagulls and other beautiful birds were perched up on them, and they even saw some seals lazing about on the surface of the salt. Little pups rolling around adorably, covered in soft white fur. “They’re so cuuuuute!” Ruby gasped with huge glistening eyes. “I wanna hold one and hug it so tight!”

“You can’t steal a baby seal.” Cinder sighed.

“Aww, c’mon! Lemme just… stroke one? Please?” Ruby begged.

“Hey, you wanna get your arm ripped off by its mother, be my guest.” Cinder replied, Ruby continued to reach out for the adorable pups.

“It’s tempting…” Ruby softly said.

“Ruby no!” Penny squeaked.

“Alright Fiiiiiiine.” Ruby groaned, rolling her huge silver eyes. The Hover Sail continued its path through the canyon of salt, unaware of what was lurking behind one of the pillars. The lights activated, and the Gyrfalcon disconnected its limbs that kept it latched onto the salt, and the powerful roaring thrusters ignited. It banked around the pillar and pursued after them.

Cinder kept them moving, nearly not hearing them over Ruby and the others talking, until that familiar roar echoed louder and louder. Her amber eye widened, and she spun around, seeing the huge Gyrfalcon gaining on them.

She stared directly into the cockpit, spotting Emerald and Mercury inside. “Oooh, shit. EVERYONE HANG ON!” Cinder yelled.

The tranquillity of the sea was shattered as the Gyrfalcon opened fire on them, blasting bullets at them repeatedly, and it easily dodged the incoming Salt Pillars. Pyrrha stared at the Gyrfalcon as it kept coming after them, and she connected her two sorts together, making them transform into the Rifle Form, just as Milo did once before. Pyrrha opened fire, locking herself in position whilst Cinder skilfully kept them safe.

“How far are we from land?” Ruby called out.

“With that thing hounding us? Too far, try and give me some time!” Cinder yelled.

“You got it!” Ruby assured, drawing Black Thorn, and Penny activated Floating Array, and her thrusters blasted to life.

“C’mon… we can make it…” Cinder whispered to herself.

 

Blake

 

The Sea Feilong channelled lightning up its throat, causing its long tendrils coming off its snout to crackle as well. It bellowed out with a deafening roar, as did the Syrens. They lunged forward and Oscar slammed the head of one into the ground with Thunderous Deception. The hammer splattered its skull across the floor, black blood going everywhere.

Civilians screamed in terror, but Yang held out her Cybernetic Hand. “Stay back! We’ll handle the Grimm!” Yang called out, charging towards a Syren. It slashed its sharp arm towards her, but she slid underneath its attack and proceeded to uppercut it with one hard punch. The creature shrieked in agony as it was thrown backwards, but it stabbed its arms down into the ground. A long serpentine tongue slithered through its jaws, and then it suddenly extended and wrapped around Yang’s throat. “Ah! Gross!” Yang yelled, but she scowled and grabbed the creature by the tongue.

She pulled it forward with great effort, ripping the creature from its anchored position. Then Yang swung around and buried her fist straight through its gullet, firing her shotgun right through its head, blowing it to pieces. The tongue crumbled apart around her neck, and she massaged it. “Gods… that’s just nasty.” She shuddered.

The Sea Feilong snarled as it stayed upright, glaring directly at Oscar. “Why the hell is it staring at me?” He stammered.

“I think I know why.” Ozpin answered, Oscar turned slightly as if Ozpin was over his shoulder.

“What? Why?” He asked.

“Salem must have the Grimm on high alert to sense our presence… I believe us being on this boat is why the Grimm have attacked.” Ozpin stated.

“Damn it… then let’s make sure we stop them before they hurt anyone.” Oscar stated, turning to some of the Syrens that were getting aboard. Oscar sprinted forward and smashed his hammers into the face of the beast, crushing its skull. He then extended his hammer towards one of the Syrens.

Until the Feilong suddenly lunged forward and bit down on that chain and dove back into the water. Oscar screamed as it took him with it, and the two of them fell into the water. The Feilong vanished into the blue murk as Oscar floated helplessly, then he turned with wide eyes as the golden eyes shone through the murk. The Sea Feilong was headed straight for him with its jaws wide open. He gritted his teeth and smashed both hammers into the side of its head before it got any closer, breaking apart chunks of bone armour.

It swam past him, and Oscar launched the chains forward on one hammer, but then the Feilong bit onto the hammer and channelled lightning right through the chains and into Oscar. The entire weapon exploded, destroying one of his Thunderous Deception hammers, and the blast threw him out of the water and up in the air. The Sea Feilong coiled in the deep before blasting out the water to devour him.

Blake suddenly grabbed onto Oscar, throwing Gambol Shroud back to Yang who caught it, and swung them both around so they would return to the ship. Blake and Oscar both landed, the Huntsman groaned in pain as his green aura flickered, but he was also pained by the fact he lost one of his old, trusted weapons. He only had one of his Chained Hammers now… and that was not enough.

“Trust my memories…” Ozpin whispered in the back of his mind, then Oscar reached into his jacket pocket and held The Long Memory.

“I… I don’t know how to use it yet.” Oscar stated, since this was the first time, he had ever constructed it.

“Then allow me to give you some experience first-hand.” Ozpin suggested, Oscar stared at the cane in his grasp, then stared at the Sea Feilong. Ren and Nora both were still focusing on the Syrens that had hijacked the ship. But the huge Leviathan-Class Grimm was arching itself upright, its webbed spines began to rattle and the flesh across its spine started to split. Bones cracked and the creature growled with pain and rage, then suddenly it sprouted a pair of large wings, making it even more dangerous.

Oscar sighed.

“Do it.” He agreed, closing his eyes. His body jolted as the second soul took control, Oscar’s aura regenerated thanks to the reserves Ozpin has within his stored soul. He stood tall and glared at the beast.

“Blake, Yang – I’m going to need your help if we are going to take this Feilong down.” Ozpin said, they both noted it was Ozpin in charge now. They saw The Long Memory in his grasp, and they both nodded.

Nora roared as she launched Magni across the deck, smashing three Syrens directly off the edge and back into the water. She then twisted around and held her hand out, calling the Hammer right back to her. Another Syren lunged straight for her, but Nora bashed it across the skull with her short, handled hammer. The jaw broke apart and it screeched in immense agony, then she channelled lightning through her scars, powering up Stormur Skeggox. She aimed the head of her axe forward, blasting a thick beam of pink energy straight through the chest of two Syrens who were lined up, killing them instantly.

Ren slashed his Bladed Auto-Pistols across the belly of the Syren, then jumped up and wrapped his legs around her head, slamming her down against the ground. Then the two of them turned, hearing the Syren Song emerging from the see. Four of those sharp pincer arms dug into the deck, and a far larger and heavier Syren rose from the depths. It had two heads and it screeched to the sky with a bulging gut. Instead of a single tail, it had a vast array of muscular tentacles.

“Nora!” Ren called out, she beheaded the last of the Lesser Syrens with Stormur Skeggox, her eyes widened when she finished it off, seeing the huge one. “Queen Syren!”

“C’mon! Let’s take it down!” She called out, launching Magni immediately, already charged with electrical energy, and it smashed straight into the side of the huge, heavy, beast’s head. One of them anyway, it created a nightmarish shriek as it recoiled back. But the tentacles immediately swung towards them. Nora held up her arms and stopped the huge tentacle from hitting her, using her abnormal strength to her advantage.

Ren jumped and slashed straight through the tentacle, severing it clean, black oily blood covered the once pristine deck. The Queen Syren shrieked with pain as the tentacle retracted, but she did not retreat.

The Sea Feilong on the other hand flew through the air, blasting a column of electricity down upon the vehicle, burning into the decking, Ozpin formed a protective dome of magic around himself, Yang and Blake. The electricity was being focused on Ozpin who stared the creature down, then Yang prepared herself. “Now!” Ozpin called out, just as the beast ceased blasting at them. She then grabbed Ozpin by the arm and launched him up towards the creature.

He launched the chained hammer of Thunderous Deception up and it wrapped around the creature’s throat, and he yanked downwards, forcing the beast to dive down. This gave Blake the opportunity to she needed to make this battle even, she threw Gambol Shroud up and swung up towards its wing. Ozpin casted a spell that allowed him to hover in the air atop a Glyph. He closed his eyes and held his cane forward, and suddenly multiple glowing green entities emerged.

They were former incarnations of Ozma, one of which was Ozma himself, and another that was recognisable was the Wanderer. The ten Ozmas all shot towards the beast. Yang stayed down below on the deck, firing explosive shots into the beast whilst Blake extended her sword. She drove it straight through one of the wings, yelling with rage as she cut straight through the red membrane that kept it in the air. And Yang focused on the other Blake could not target, blowing holes into it.

Then it began to fall, and Ozpin and his previous Incarnations all attacked at once, slashing and beating to pieces as it fell. They all roared in unison, all in different voices, but all in the same tongue. Blake landed beside Yang, and they watched with disbelief, seeing the full power of their Headmaster first-hand. He blasted up into the air as the Feilong plummeted towards the sea, and he shot down towards it with The Long Memory thrusted forward.

He was like a missile, smashing straight through the Feilong in one hard strike, bursting a hole through it, and landing on the deck with The Long Memory in his grasp. The corpse of the Feilong crashed into the sea, and he looked up towards Yang and Blake’s shocked faces. “That… Mr Pine… is what you can do.” Ozpin said, before he returned control to Oscar. The Huntsman was just as agape as they were.

“Holy shit…”

They turned to help Ren and Nora… but they had it covered.

The Queen Syren smashed one of its tentacles down to the ground, but Nora cut clean through it with Stormur Skeggox, destroying the tentacle immediately. But just as the Syren went to kill Nora, Ren shot forward and he threw himself into the tentacle, spinning like a circular sawblade, cutting the tentacle clean off. The Queen Syren roared in anger and its sharp forearms stabbed at him. Ren rolled backwards, firing his pistols repeatedly at the beast, breaking off chunks of flesh in the process. The huge forearms stabbed down at him over and over, ripping up parts of the deck, until Nora launched Stormur Skeggox straight through them, before calling it back to her.

She channelled lightning into her veins and nodded at her husband. Ren fired both grappling hooks into one head, and Nora rocked towards the other. They both spun through the air and sliced clean through the necks, killing both heads at the same time. As the huge beast fell from the side of the ship, Ren fired back to the ship, catching Nora and they both landed back on the ship.

The two heads crashed in the water, then the rest toppled back into the sea. Nora and Ren turned to each other, and they grabbed one another in a loving embrace, kissing passionately. Nora looped one arm behind his neck as she kissed him. “Gods we’re badass…” Nora giggled.

“The best.” Ren chuckled.

Oscar pressed The Long Memory down, his hands atop the hilt, but they turned as they heard the murmuring of civilians. “Are… are they gone?” One nervously asked.

“Yes…” Yang paused and sighed. “C’mon, we oughta get outa here before they turn us in.”

“No wait.” The Captain begged. They stopped and turned. “We know you’re Huntsmen and Huntresses… hell we think we know who you are.”

They looked at the captain and he smiled, revealing a photograph of his little girl. “She was a Huntress too… and lost her in the Inhumane Necessity. Those Black Gallows bastards murdered her… for wanting to help people. To be like you.” He explained.

Blake looked at the man and he smiled. “Just know that not every person in the world wants the Huntsmen and Huntresses dead. So you don’t have to worry… we remember who you all are… and what you fight for.” He assured.

Everyone else on the boat was stood before them, and they were all in agreement.

It made them smile… happy to know that not everyone forgot everything their kind did before the Inhumane Necessity.

 

Ruby

 

The Gyrfalcon was still on their tail, flying low and strategically firing its machine guns and missiles at them. Mercury fired a missile into one of the salt pillars, causing it to explode and come crashing down right in front of them. Cinder swiftly banked to the left, and they kept firing at them, keeping them moving in that direction. Ruby, Pyrrha and Penny both were firing at the huge Airship.

Pyrrha kept aiming for the cockpit, but it was heavily armoured, and was still protected by Hardlight Shields. “Penny! Try and find the Shield Generator! It’s gotta be on there somewhere!” Ruby called out.

“On it!” Penny assured, blasting off the Hover Sail and flying towards the Gyrfalcon. The machine guns started to fire directly at her, but she swiftly dodged the incoming gunfire, then flew straight up. She flipped through the air, then launched Floating Array down into the hull, yanking herself down onto it.

“Damn it! Merc?” Emerald stammered nervously.

“You got it, stay on em.” Mercury said as she immediately ran to the ladders. He opened the airlock and climbed out, connecting a cable to his belt to keep him on the hull. Penny stared at Mercury as he approached, raising his fists with a smirk. “Hey there, robo-girl – maybe this time I’ll get to tear you apart myself. I was hoping I could last time.” Mercury snarled, Penny flinched at his words, feeling the pain of her previous death for a few moments, before steeling herself once more.

“That’s enough! You will not hurt my friends!” Penny yelled, rocketing towards him, but Mercury flipped backwards, then kicked his cybernetic boot towards her. Projectiles erupted from Talaria. Penny spiralled Floating Array to block his projectiles, then held her hand out, forming two separate cannons that fired green bolts at him as she searched for the Shield Generator. “There you are!”

“Oh I don’t think so!” Mercury yelled, blasting towards her, kicking her repeatedly in the face, before roundhouse kicking her off the side of the Gyrfalcon. She smashed against one of the wings, then launched one of her swords up to stop herself from falling. She blasted flames from her boots and threw herself towards him. She landed, then held out her hands. Some of her Floating Array swords transformed.

Some easily forgot that her weapons were now upgraded with the same Grave Dust system in place that Jackdaw had, and she formed a perfect replica of Jaune’s sword. He fired more rounds towards her from his boot, but she blocked them all from hitting her with the shield. Then sending her swords forward, he flipped backwards but some clipped him, knocking him off the back of the Gyrfalcon. But his cable kept him attached.

Penny took her moment, and she rushed to where she saw the Generator, and drove her swords into the panels, ripping them open. There it was, the Generator, so she charged up her cannon to destroy it. Mercury suddenly appeared behind her once more, and grabbed her by the throat, smashing her down against the ground. He stomped down at her head so hard that the hull dented.

“Why are you doing this? I can tell you don’t want to!” Penny yelled. “Why serve someone like Salem?”

“WE DON’T HAVE A CHOICE!” Mercury roared, Penny sighed and blasted a powerful beam of green energy straight into his chest, blowing him up in the air, and it destroyed his cable. He plummeted off the edge and Emerald gasped, swiftly running to the rear door and throwing Thief’s Respite to him. It wrapped around his leg, and she pulled him right back in with all her might. She caught him and she looked into his eyes.

“Are you okay?” Emerald worried.

“Penny! She’s going for the Shield Generator!” Mercury immediately yelled, Emerald swiftly ran to the controls, but she was too late. Penny fired her laser straight into the laser, destroying it and cutting off the charge of Hardlight Dust. As soon as she did that, Emerald barrel rolled the Gyrfalcon so fast it threw Penny off, and the wing smacked her downwards.

Dazed, she fell…

“PENNY!” Ruby screamed, that was enough to get Penny back in the fight, her eyes shone bright green and she rocketed back up in the air, just in time before she could hit the water’s surface.

Penny flew alongside the Gyrfalcon, blasting a long beam across its hull, but the armour was still too thick for her to even penetrate. She immediately returned to the Hover Sail. “Are you okay?” Ruby worried.

“I’m fine! But the armour is still too strong!” Penny warned.

“Oh don’t worry… no armour is strong enough to withstand a collision at this speed.” Cinder assured, they looked ahead and saw that the Salt Pillars were far more frequent now. She went straight into the area, weaving between the many pillars, they looked back and Pyrrha constantly fired shot after shot at the thing. The bullets just scraped across the armour and thick glass, but Emerald was showing her immensely impressive piloting skills. “Damn, Emerald… when did you become such a good pilot?”

The Gyrfalcon roared viciously as it dodged every single one, the thrusters were moving constantly to make sharp adjustments wherever it could. Then it spun to the side, gliding straight through the gap between two pillars, before evening out.

“Land is right ahead!” Ruby called out, then… Cinder looked confused.

The Gyrfalcon suddenly stopped, its thrusters rotated, and it turned around… retreating. “The hell?” Cinder muttered then she turned. Everyone saw him stood on the beach…

… Watts.

It was like Cinder’s vision zoomed in to see his face, slightly smirking as they got closer. “Ram him! It’s Watts!” Ruby yelled with gritted teeth.

I know Watts…

“No… IT’S A DAMN TRAP!” Cinder yelled, immediately attempting to turn away from that beach, but it was too late. His moustache raised on one side as he smirked, then his golden rings lit up blue. He swung his hands up, and the Grave Dust burst from the sand into a pair of hands, smacking the underside of the Hover Sail so hard it threw it up into the air.

Team C.P.P.R screamed as they were thrown from the Hover Sail, Cinder fell into the water whilst everyone else crashed onto the sand. Cinder eventually washed onto shore, coughing heavily and wheezing, grabbing her chest and throat from how much it burned. She crawled over, soaking wet, to Ruby, Penny and Pyrrha.

Pyrrha immediately stood up, weapons in hand as she saw Watts before them. “Give up the Relic of Knowledge.”

They all turned as they saw the Children of Salem surround them. Icarus flew through the air and landed down before them; mechanical wings splayed outwards. Tyrian jumped down from above, laughing maniacally as his cybernetic tail arched over his head. And Hazel cracked his knuckles, staring them down.

“I will not ask a second time.” Watts warned, drawing his pistol in one hand, and lifting the other with a huge plume of Grave Dust behind him.

Pyrrha stood her ground, not even flinching at his words or being outnumbered. Then Ruby stood beside her, Black Thorn transformed in her hands. Penny stood tall, her Grave Dust forming into Floating Array, and so did Cinder, eyes igniting and forming her Obsidian Axe. “You’ll have to pry it from our corpses.” Ruby snarled.

Watts chuckled.

“I was hoping you’d say that.”

Chapter 24: The Children of Salem

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

The beach was so peaceful…

Seagulls cried out as the soared across the gorgeous blue sky, and the waves gently lapped across the sand. But then the sand began to rumble, and the Grave Dust erupted from the surface of the beach.

Watts held out his hands and smiled as the rings glowed brighter, and the Grave Dust cloud swirled around him, like a massive shoal of fish, or a flock of birds. It rippled in their air, then formed into many blades, and he launched them directly at Ruby. Her silver eyes widened, and she crossed Black Thorn together, taking the hit, pushing her across the ground. The Grave Dust Blades shattered as soon as they made impact, but they immediately returned back to their dust forms and returned to Watts.

Ruby groaned, pushing herself back up, but Tyrian sprinted towards her and slashed the Queen’s Servants repeatedly at her. He laughed maniacally, swinging around and smacking his long Cybernetic Tail across her face. Ruby tumbled through the sand, and Tyrian shot forward, but she stopped his pincer blades with her scythes, staring right into his mad yellow eyes.

“Get. OFF!” She yelled as she threw Tyrian backwards with all her might, then she spiralled her Scythes through her fingers as they collapsed back down into their Volcanic Pistol Forms. She fired shot after shot at him, but Tyrian was so fast, effortlessly dodging and deflecting the bullets headed his way. Then he laughed maniacally as he rushed towards her once more, kicking her in the face with both boots. He landed on his curved tail, which he used to propel himself towards her, but Ruby dashed aside, giving him nothing but a cloud of rose petals to cut through.

He landed and snarled, gritting his teeth hard as he looked around for her. Ruby rushed forward and hooked him by the throat and smashed his head down into the ground. The Silver Eyed Warrior dragged him across the ground before smashing his head against a stone. The rock exploded and he tumbled forward, dragging his hands into the ground. Yet despite the punishment he was sent through, he just grinned and ran right back at her.

Every strike you would make, Tyrian Callows would simply return it twice as hard and fast. He slashed repeatedly at Ruby, hitting faster than she can block or even counter. Then he roundhouse kicked her across the cheek, and as she was thrown by his strike, suddenly Hazel’s massive fist collided into her. Ruby cried out in immense pain as she crashed against the ground. Tyrian jumped onto her back, softly laughing as he reached down to the Relic of Knowledge dangling from her belt. “I’ll just be taking that.”

“No!” Ruby yelled with anger, he turned as his yellow eyes widened, and Penny came flying towards him.

“Get off her!” Penny screamed, smashing directly into the Serial Killer. She grabbed him by his long ponytail and threw him into one of the nearby white rocks. It cracked upon contact, and Penny saw the Relic fall into the sand. She immediately approached it and picked it up, turning to Ruby who was back on her feet. Ruby spun around, dodging Hazel’s fist and slashing across his face.

She rushed forward and Penny threw the Lamp to her, and Ruby caught it. She immediately clipped it back onto her belt. They both gasped as they saw the Grave Dust causing Watts to levitate off the ground, his hands held out with an evil smirk on his face.

“Try as you might, you cannot stop us from taking what belongs to our Queen. That Relic will be ours, soon enough.” Watts assured as the tornado of steel grey dust swirled beneath him.

“It will never help you.” Ruby snarled back.

“Not yet…” Watts responded with a smirk. “… but it will.”

Cinder glared at Hazel and gritted her teeth as she formed her Obsidian Axe in her hand whilst Pyrrha kept her eyes on Watts. Penny turned as she heard the rocketing roar of Icarus’ wings as he flew towards them.

Ruby turned her gaze to Tyrian after hearing his maniacal laugh. “I’ll handle Tyrian. Penny, go for Icarus, Cinder’s got Hazel, Pyrrha take Watts.” Ruby commanded, that old team leader sense returning at the snap of her fingers. Everyone went to face their opponents, and Ruby stared directly at Tyrian as he stared her down.

The two sprinted directly at one another, and Tyrian slashed the Queen’s Servants at her hard and fast. Ruby deflected the attack, swiftly sliding aside and cutting across his chest with Black Thorn. Ruby shot forward and spun through the air, and Tyrian blocked the blur of red with his blades, standing his ground despite how hard the attack was. Just as Ruby went to slash at him again, his Scorpion Tail lunged forward and wrapped around her throat.

Tyrian threw her across the beach, but she drove one Sickle down into the ground to slow herself down, and with the other she transformed it into its Volcanic Pistol form, firing a Fire Dust round directly at him. He gasped, his yellow eyes widened, and he immediately rolled aside from the burning projectile. His heart began to pound and nothing, but rage filled his heart, feeling fear… it was like a poison for him.

He charged straight at Ruby and fired both his machine guns at her, Ruby rolled aside, but he kept coming at her. His eyes glowed bright purple and he swung his hands towards her, trying to break her aura in one strike. His power only lasted for a few seconds before it deactivated, but for a man who was as fast and lethal as him? Those seconds were all he would need, but Ruby backed up, dodging his hands as he tried to grab her. Ruby dashed back and fired her pistol at him.

The burning bullet impacted his brown trench coat, setting it alight. He screamed with terror and cartwheeled, flipping through the air as he loosed the coat from his body. The fire quickly consumed the coat, burning up into ash, and he stared straight at Ruby with gritted teeth. With his scars all over his chest on show, he rushed her once again. Ruby fired at him, but his Cybernetic tail batted the shells aside.

He rolled forward and grabbed Ruby by the throat, lifting her off the ground with ease and throwing her down against the floor. Her big silver eyes widened as she crawled backwards, Tyrian started howling with fury as he started stabbing down at her relentlessly with his huge mechanical tail. The sand kicked up over and over from the huge barb of his stinger puncturing the beach.

Ruby kicked him in the chest, then rolled backwards to get away from his savage rampage of stabs. But as soon as she was back on her feet, Tyrian was already right on her. He hacked and slashed across her chest, before swinging around and kicking her across the face, before lunging his tail forward and wrapping it around her wrist. He then jumped over her, flipping through the air and landing with ease, sending Ruby flying overhead and crashing back down against the ground.

She groaned, then Tyrian pressed his boot against the back of her neck, forcing her head into the sand. “I am going to make you regret ever standing against your queen.” Tyrian hissed, then Ruby scowled and gritted her teeth.

“You talk way too much.” Ruby replied, spinning her Volcanic Pistol around and firing it into his leg. The impact did very little damage to his aura but was just enough to make him stumble. Ruby suddenly vanished, surprising the killer, only for the cyclone of Rose Petals to form behind him, and she erupted through the cloud and punched him across the face. She slid across the ground then threw Black Thorn towards him. It slashed across him then came flying right back into her hand. He yelled with rage as he brought both blades down upon Ruby.

She stopped his blades with Black Thorn, then swiped her leg across his, and he tumbled across the ground. She jumped and twisted her body through the air, swinging her boot down into his chest, so hard it smashed him down into the ground with immense force. Tyrian grunted as he crashed into the ground, but he coiled his tail and bounced back up, kicking Ruby in the face with both boots.

Ruby tumbled back but landed her feet onto one of the white rocks on the beach and launched forward, digging her Scythes against the Queen’s Servants, holding Tyrian back. She twisted him around and caused him to fall forward, then Ruby flipped backwards, kicking him up the jaw after performing a perfectly elegant backflip. Ruby landed back down on the sand as Tyrian landed away from her as well.

His eyes never left the Relic of Knowledge dangling from her hip, and he smirked sadistically.

“Gods… I can’t wait to wipe that grin off your face one day.” Ruby assured, he giggled maniacally at her.

“So long as my Queen’s reign survives… I will always be smiling!” He laughed; Ruby smirked back at him.

“Well… I guess I know where to start then.” She replied, narrowing her Silver Eyes.

Tyrian growled, then he charged towards her once again, and she transformed into her Petal Form, and they both clashed together.

 

Pyrrha

 

Watts descended before Pyrrha who kept Ira Red and Crocea Mortem held tight, watching the Dark Scientist walk calmly. The two circled one another, Pyrrha had already spotted his Engraved Revolver as he walked, and the massive cloud of Grave Dust was always around him, pulsing like it was alive.

“Pyrrha Nikos… of the Nikolaos family. Correct?” He asked her, she watched his every move as she circled him the other way.

“That’s correct.” Pyrrha responded.

“I have done my research on your family, for generations you have trained your children to become warriors. Ever since you are strong enough to hold a weapon, you are trained to fight.” Watts explained.

“Whatever your point is… please get to it already.” Pyrrha sighed, not even noticing the Brother of Darkness walking with her as the two shared their discussion.

“Have you ever wondered? Who you would be if your family had not partaken in such a grim way of raising their children? Who would you be now? Do you wish that things could have gone differently?” Watts inquired as he looked at her.

“Do not listen to his words, laced with poison to cripple your heart.” The Brother of Darkness warned.

“I have many regrets in my life… the things we did six years ago… not being able to save Jaune? Running up to the tower to stop Cinder and making Jaune believe that our time together was meaningless? I am haunted by my mistakes… but the way I was raised? It is the reason I found Jaune, the reason I found the family I have today. So no, that is never something I regret.” Pyrrha explained, which made Watts smirked.

“Would you subject your own child or children to such a similar upbringing?” Watts inquired, that caused her to stop.

Children? I… I hadn’t even thought about that… not since Jaune…

Would I?

Would I train them the way I was trained? The way all Nikos children were trained?

Would I even… want to have children… if they weren’t his?

She gripped her swords tighter and pointed them at him, glaring sternly at the Doctor. “Enough of your games, Watts. You are not getting the Relic of Knowledge… I won’t let you.” Pyrrha stated, he smirked sinisterly as the Grave Dust started to swirl faster and faster around him.

“It is entertaining to me that you actually believe you even have a choice in the matter.” He stated, before suddenly holding out his arms. This created a single but powerful blast from the Dust that blew Pyrrha back. She drove Crocea Mortem into the ground and watched as he levitated.

It was like he had become a Maiden, but simply from technology. He then fired his pistol down at her, over and over again. Pyrrha backed up, slashing her swords and cutting the bullets down before they even got close. Deafeningly loud metallic ringing sounds rebounded from her weapons as she retreated back from him. But she then stood her ground, and her emerald eyes glared at him, and she gritted her teeth.

NO! I’M DONE RUNNING!

He descended before her, then held his hand forward, and his eyes seemed to glow. She noticed he had also designed some kind of technological pair of contact lenses that illuminated whenever he used them. She gasped as the Grave Dust transformed into the body of a Grimm – mimicking a Sphinx. It screeched at her and charged towards her, blasting a ball of Grave Dust towards her.

She cut straight through it, but felt the nanites start eating into her aura, forcing her to dust them off her body. She kept charging towards the copied Grimm as it roared at her, it swung around and swiped its tail at her. But just as it hit her, Watts jumped through. He punched Pyrrha across the face and fired his pistol at her again. She yelled with anger and slammed the blade of Ira Red down towards his arm, but he pushed that very arm upwards, activating a Hardlight Dust shield on his forearm. It stopped her sword dead, then he thrusted the other hand forward, sending a spare pillar of Grave Dust crashing into her chest.

Pyrrha tumbled and growled with anger as she stared at him, her polarity was useless against the Grave Dust. It was not made from a magnetic material, meaning she was already at a massive disadvantage against them. Watts had made it that way for all the Children of Salem. Icarus’ Wings and weapons were constructed from Non-Ferrous Metals and Tyrian’s weapons were also modified in such a way.

In fact… it was only Adam who refused such upgrades.

Watts aimed his Revolver at her and fired multiple shots, launching an ice round into the blade of Ira Red, creating a heavy block of ice that weighed it down. Pyrrha gasped as she stared at her fallen weapon then stared back at Watts. The Sphinx flew towards her, but she knew this was no real Grimm, just a copy of one. She spun Crocea Mortem through her fingers and just as it reached her, she slashed straight through its head. The entire beast shattered around her, turning into a cloud of Grave Dust.

But that cloud swirled back around Watts who held his hand forward, forming the dust into hardened pillars. Sometimes it was even the simplest of shapes that were the most dangerous. Pyrrha stomped down on the ice and rolled aside and cut one of these pillars down. She sprinted towards Watts, then threw Ira Red towards him.

His Grave Dust deflected the sword, but she rammed the blade towards him. He gasped and rolled backwards, rapid firing his Revolver at Pyrrha. She blocked and deflected the incoming bullets, every single one, and she entered her Invincible Girl mindset. She called Ira Red back to her, Watts turned and was smacked in the side of the head by the blade, breaking his stance and focus. His Grave Dust fell around him, meaning that all it took was a brief distraction for his connection to the dust to weaken.

Pyrrha always knew how to seize an opportunity, and she took it. She smashed her knee up into Watts’ chest, knocking the wind out of him. She went on a rampage, punching him down the side of the head which knocked him onto one knee. She then slashed up his head to knock him back, then proceeded to swiftly hack and slash at his body at incredible speeds with both swords. She jumped and twisted around, striking diagonally across him. His green aura flickered, already being weakened by her onslaught. Pyrrha combined her two swords together, transforming them into her Rifle.

She aimed it at him and fired multiple shots, but he blocked them with his Hardlight Dust Shield, the blue wrist protector shimmered as the bullets hit. Then his irises glowed once more, and the Grave Dust rose off the sand and formed into a massive hand. Pyrrha gasped as it came crashing down towards her, but she rolled aside just in time. The impact however still created a powerful shockwave which threw her into one of the white rocks. She groaned in pain, dazed from the sudden impact. She felt his cold dark voice in the back of her mind.

“GET UP!” The Brother of Darkness barked, but it was Light who appeared.

“Rise up, Young One. You have the strength to see this through.” The Brother of Light assured, she saw him stood there this time, instead of his younger crueller brother. The massive Hand came swinging at her once more, but Pyrrha raised her hand, and her eyes glowed purple. The impact stopped the hand dead, and Watts’ eyes widened with disbelief. She then yelled with fury as she drove her swords down into the ground.

She clenched her hands into fists, and her shadow became that of the Brother of Darkness, and she yelled with rage. “SUCCUMB TO EXTINCTION!” The Brother of Darkness roared, and Pyrrha created an almighty explosion of dark magic. The blast completely destroyed the Grave Dust Hand, causing the dust to return to Watts.

Pyrrha fell to one knee, feeling blood drip from her nose after doing that. She felt the hot red liquid fall upon her hand, then stared back at Watts who was walking towards her. He aimed his Revolver at her and began to fire, but she swiftly called Ira Red and Crocea Mortem back into her hands, deflecting all the bullets that flew her way.

I’m getting stronger… I didn’t pass out this time… that’s nice.

Pyrrha sprinted at Watts and jumped towards him, bringing both swords downwards, but every time she slashed at him, he brought up more pieces of hardened Grave Dust to take the hits for her. And every chance he had, he fired his Revolver at her, she recoiled back as one bullet hit her in the shoulder, then he thrusted forward and punched her in the face. She stumbled back, and then was hit in the chest by one of his Grave Dust Pillars. She drove Ira Red into the ground, staring at him as he held his arms out and smirked sinisterly.

The dust tunnelled through the ground then erupted out before her, taking the form of just the huge stingers of Deathstalkers. They repeatedly stabbed at her, but she cut them down all the same. Pyrrha threw Crocea Mortem forward, he batted it aside but charged across the sand, and slingshot it around her body with Polarity. It came back even faster, and Watts gasped as it went straight through his shield of Grave Dust, sending him tumbling across the sand.

His Green Aura crackled as Pyrrha caught it and slammed both blades down against his throat. She glared at him with gritted teeth, and he chuckled sinisterly at her.

“Well… well… what are we gonna do now?” He asked, that was when she noticed all the Grave Dust tunnelling its way towards Ruby.

Towards the Relic of Knowledge.

She went to cut his throat, but he still smirked. “You can kill me… but it won’t be fast enough.”

They both stared at each other, and Pyrrha found herself at a stalemate.

 

Penny

 

Whilst the others battled, Penny clashed against Icarus in the sky.

She soared over the beach, slashing her swords at Icarus as he flew straight at her, and he slammed Undying Hatred against her Grave Dust replicas of Floating Array. He glared straight at her with his red eyes, breathing mechanically through his cybernetic jaw. He kicked her in the chest then fired a grenade from his wrist. The high explosive came erupting into her gut and she yelped, plummeting back down towards the ground like a meteorite.

Sand erupted around her, covering her fluffy hair. She groaned as she shook it off, until she heard the crackling rocket growing louder and louder. She turned and rolled out of the way just in time as Icarus landed and drove his Khopesh down into the ground where her head just was. His huge metal wings splayed out and he immediately slashed them across her body. Penny staggered back from the attack, then her floating swords forged from the same Dust created by Watts blocked the incoming sharpened feathers.

Icarus roared with fury with every swing he took at her, then Penny launched her swords towards him, slicing him across side of the face. He yelled with anger as it broke his defence. He immediately swung around, throwing the burning Undying Hatred at her. Red energy, searing with heat, trailed from behind the blade as it came flying her way. She swiftly crossed her swords together in a rotating pattern to block the incoming weapon. Though the force of the impact broke them to pieces, and Icarus blasted towards her.

He grabbed her by the throat and flew across the beach, then over the sea. He threw her down into the water. She sunk deep and struggled to move, but she gritted her teeth then stared back up at him. Her green eyes glowed as she targeted him, then her thrusters activated. Bubbles formed behind her as she flew through the murky deep, then rocketed out through the blue surface towards the Fallen Angel. She immediately punched him in the jaw, so hard it broke one of his Protein Canisters.

That alone caused him to fall to the ground, his wings opened to slow his descent. Air hissed from where she punched him that hard, and he fiddled with his bandolier of Protein Canisters to replace the one that was just destroyed. It brought him immense pain, pain that was already beginning to unleash his Blind Rage Semblance. His pupils and irises started to glow red, and his sclera started to turn black from the rage.

Even after he replaced it, he was already going berserk.

Penny landed and immediately started to spin her swords around, and channelled huge amounts of energy into the centre. Then she fired the powerful green laser at him, but he raised one of his mechanical wings to stop the impact of her laser. Though the power of her blast pushed him through the soft sand.

The sand started to melt into glass from how hot her laser was. He rolled aside and blasted towards her and slashed across her body. The jetpack built into his Wings belched flames as he banked around, and Penny tumbled across the ground. She formed Crocea Mors in her hand, remembering exactly how it looked. And in her other hand, the Dust switched to Magnhild.

Icarus howled with fury, scratching wildly at his own head from this uncontrollable rage that was brewing in him. He shot forward, darting from side to side to avoid Penny’s smaller sentries that fired smaller lasers at him. He spun through the air and drove his Khopeshes down into the ground with all his might. The impact created a hot blast that pushed Penny back, and he charged towards her. He lunged the mechanical wing forward, sharp bladed feathers extended and narrowly missed her as she dodged him, then countered by smashing Magnhild into his face.

Icarus crashed into the sand, tumbling through it, but he then threw one of his Khopeshes towards her. It collided into her chest, bouncing off and returning back into his hand. Red lightning crackled across his blades as he charged towards her, kicking her in the chest and slashing his wings and blades at her. She blocked them as best she could, and rammed Crocea Mors towards him. He caught onto the simple sword with his curved blade, twisting and rolling across her back, breaking the Grave Dust Replica with ease. He then smashed Undying Hatred against her back so hard it knocked her across the floor.

He snarled at her, eyes wildly staring at her, dark deep panting breaths came through from his cybernetic jaw. Penny flicked her hair from her green eyes, and Icarus immediately went after her again, and slashed across her face, and went for a second just as fast attack. But she swung around with all her might and uppercutted him. The punch was so hard it blew him off course. His thrusters screeched as he darted across the sky, but he opened his wings wide, then fired multiple grenades down towards her.

They all exploded, and Penny cried out as she was thrown through the air. Her aura began to flicker, it was not broken yet, but it was on the way. She crashed across the ground and groaned in pain. Icarus landed behind her and grabbed Penny by her long hair, dragging her across the ground. “Get off me!” Penny yelled.

“Nothing more… than a shadow… a PUPPET… OF A REAL GIRL!” Icarus roared as he took her towards the broken remains of the Hover Sail that Watts destroyed. There was a piece of destroyed metal protruding from the vehicle, and he grabbed her head and forced her face down towards it. Penny swiftly formed Floating Array and drove them into the ground and pushed her hands against the surface, keeping her eye away from the spike as best she could.

She tensed as it got closer and closer to her. “Nobody will mourn you. Nobody will remember you! Your existence is completely meaningless!” Icarus yelled, but then Penny saw Tyrian punching Ruby across the face and wrapping his mechanical tail around her throat and throwing her into a tree so hard the entire trunk collapsed.

Penny gritted her teeth with anger, then began to fight back more than ever, pushing back against Icarus’ hand. She forced him all the way back, then swung her head back into his face, and swung every single blade of Floating Array around and they all smashed into the side of his head. They all shattered and crumbled to dust upon impact, but the strike knocked Icarus across the ground.

As he got back up, the furious Penny fired an almighty beam of energy towards him, burning across his aura. He stumbled back a few steps, then crossed his wings together to take the heat. Penny sent the rest of her blast into him, then she shot forward, slashing Floating Array across his wings. Sparks flew from the impact, then she jumped up and blasted her boot thruster into the side of his head.

The flames burned across his mask, and he roared in anger as he stumbled across the sand. Icarus swung around as Penny went to hit him again, close lining her with his wing. She crashed down into the sand, and he stomped at her head. She rolled aside and blasted through the sand to get away from him. She rose up into the air, before shooting back down towards him and punching him in the head. He crashed straight through one of the naturally formed mounds of sand. The sand exploded everywhere, and he tumbled towards the water.

Penny landed and slid towards him and aimed all her swords at him. “Stand down.” Penny commanded, but Icarus slowly got back up, staring at her. His semblance was still activated, causing the veins around his eyes to be pushing against the skin, and he was sweating. “Don’t let this become something worse.”

Icarus chuckled sinisterly as he rose up to his feet, turning to see Pyrrha leaving Watts’ body to help Ruby.

“You can never win… you are all far too predictable.” He said, Penny turned when she saw who he was looking at. Icarus shot forward and grabbed Penny by the head and smashed her down against the ground so hard her swords shattered. He flew towards Watts and threw her towards him.

Penny slid across the sand, groaning as it fell from her head. “Well, well… what do we have here?” Watts chuckled; Penny looked up slowly with fearful eyes as Watts crouched down before her.

“Hello again.” He smiled.

“No… please…” Penny begged, staring at the golden rings on his fingers. Watts needn’t say anything else, he just smirked at her.

 

Cinder

 

Cinder stared him down, the man who once taught her how to swim, and how to fish… but that was all so long ago.

“Hello again, Hazel.” Cinder said to him.

“Cinder.” Hazel softly responded as he looked at her. “Just leave all of this behind, Cinder… why are you even helping them?”

“Someone has to try.” Cinder stated.

“I once believed in that… but not anymore. Salem’s rule is the only way Remnant survives.” Hazel stated.

“Do you seriously believe that? Really?” Cinder questioned. “You saw what she did to the Revolutionaries… she slaughtered them all. You really think a woman who does that is what is best for Remnant?”

The two began to circle each other.

“And the U.G.R were better? Having towns, and Academies, wiped out so then they can hold onto their power? Having things like the Inhumane Necessity put in place to hit reset when things start going out of hand for them?” Hazel questioned.

“Yeah… and how did Salem launch her great leadership? With the Inhumane Necessity. Neither side were right, but both are just as bad as each other.” Cinder explained. “And this is not a world I want Amber to grow up in, I want her to feel safe. To be happy.”

“And under Salem’s reign she can be… once we have weathered the storm.” Hazel said.

Gods… he really is just another zealot for her now, isn’t he?

Cinder sighed and shook her head. “And how many more have to die for her to weather the storm?” Cinder questioned.

“When did you ever care about the deaths of people?” Hazel scoffed.

“I don’t – the world could burn all around me and Amber if it had do, and I wouldn’t do a damn thing to stop it. But the truth is… that Amber will burn too unless I help stop your almighty Queen.” Cinder explained, spinning her Obsidian Axe through her fingers, coughing slightly as her chest started to burn again.

“I didn’t want it to go this way, Cinder.” Hazel stated.

“You chose your side a long time ago, Hazel… and now I have chosen mine.” Cinder replied, glaring at him as her amber eye ignited. Hazel growled, then reached into his pouches and revealed multiple Dust Crystals. He drove them into his arms, both Electrical and Fire, and his veins lit up alongside his eyes. He unleashed a haunting roar of fury as he felt the painful power of all that energy coursing through his body. His muscles hardened and he glared right at her.

“Then you’ve chosen death!” Hazel roared.

He jumped towards Cinder and smashed both fists down into the ground, creating a powerful blast of both fire and lightning. The shockwave threw Cinder across the air, but flames erupted from under her feet and in her hand. She flew towards Hazel and drove her Axe into his shoulder, smashing him down into the ground. His wound healed swiftly, and she immediately went to behead him with the Obsidian Axe, but he stopped the blade with his massive hand, crushing the head of it with shocking ease.

Hazel then punched Cinder in the chest, the impact of which threw her high in the air. She held out her hands and closed her eye as the sky darkened, and she brought forks of lightning down upon Hazel. He sprinted and rolled away from the incoming bolts that burned the land around him, and he swung his fists, shooting fireballs and lightning bolts towards her. He then drove Earth Dust Crystals into his arms as well, hardening his skin into a form of armour.

He then punched his fist into the ground, using the blast of fire to throw himself up towards Cinder. He formed a spear of magma and smouldering rock in his hands and threw it towards Cinder. She gasped and dropped from the sky, but it still exploded against her chest. She came crashing down to the ground, but Hazel still landed on top of her. Cinder crawled away as fast as she could as the berserk Hazel Rainart began to brutally pound the ground with his fists. The surface of the ground exploded with every single impact his fists made with the beach, burning everything around him.

Hazel caught her by the heel and threw Cinder through one of the Salt Stacks, causing it to collapse in her wake. She tumbled and dragged her hands into the sand, melting it into glass. Hazel sprinted like a monster through the cloud of salt at Cinder, and she flew towards him. She caught his fists as he swung at her, and then twisted around, uppercutting him. He was thrown back and then she formed a huge spear of ice that she threw into his chest. He grunted in pain as it impaled him, but still had very little effect on his body.

It caused him to slide across the glass, then Cinder dove down, smashing both fists into the glass so hard that it shattered, and with one powerful summoned gale, she threw the shards directly at him. He raised his arms, using his new rocky armour to his advantage, shielding himself from her attacks. Cinder shot forward and threw another Obsidian Axe towards his arms, the impact broke his defence, giving her the chance to grab him by the jaw and pummel him down into the ground.

Cinder threw punch after punch into his face, breaking chunks of rock clean off his face, splattering some blood across the ground. Yet nothing seemed to harm him, he caught her fists and threw her down into the ground, before punching her in the chest with lightning channelled into his fist. Cinder yelped, crackling with electricity as she bounced across the sand. She formed her axe and drove it into the sand to stop herself from going too far.

She raised her hands with gritted teeth, sending a tidal wave towards Hazel, and turning it all to stone. She then ducked and kicked him into the frozen wave as he jumped at her. As soon as he crashed into the frozen tidal wave, the entire thing came crashing down over him. The huge collapse sent water sloshing over, but he still erupted out of there, smashing both his fists down into the ground.

Huge pillars of rock erupted from the ground, even some spikes with magma glowing through the cracks. Cinder grunted, knocked backwards by the formations he created, and Hazel sprinted towards her, punching her in the face so hard she flew into another Salt Stack. She took off once more, hovering around the collapsing Salt Stack as she fired a beam of fire from her hands towards Hazel. He crossed his arms over as he took the fire in strides from her.

He rolled aside as a huge chunk of salt crashed down beside him, then he punched his hand into one of the chunks of raw salt and launched it towards Cinder with ease. She dodged it with equal ease. She held up her hand and ripped the leaves from trees with wind, and then froze them solid, essentially turning them into bullets, and launched them all at lethal speeds towards him.

Hazel stomped the ground, causing a large barrier of rock to form in front of him, blocking all the sharp leaves from hitting him. Once all were gone, Hazel erupted through the rock, tackling Cinder out of the air and crashing back down into the ground.

Cinder pushed him away with her boot, rolling backwards and forming her Obsidian Axe, ramming it down into his neck. He fell to one knee but growled with fury, ripping it out from the wound, despite all the blood, and throwing it aside. He kicked her in the chest and watched as his wound started to heal immediately, and he cauterised it with the fire he ignited in his hand thanks to the Fire Dust.

Cinder panted, coughing again, and turned when she saw Ruby and Pyrrha. She held her chest then stared back at Hazel who stared right back at her.

 

Ruby

 

She slashed across Tyrian’s face, knocking him backwards, but he looped his tail around one of the Palm Trees, throwing himself right back at her. He grabbed onto Ruby and smashed her against the ground with heavy force. Ruby grunted as he pinned her there, then the Grave Dust that Watts sent towards her grew closer and closer.

Tyrian’s Cybernetic Scorpion Tail loomed over Ruby as he giggled sadistically, until out of nowhere, Pyrrha tackled Tyrian. She tumbled with him and threw him against the same tree he used to his advantage. Pyrrha immediately spun around and blocked the incoming blow from Watts’ Grave Dust. “Pyrrha… thanks.” Ruby panted. “Where’s Penny?”

“I don’t know, she…” Pyrrha gasped, seeing Icarus throwing her before Watts. Ruby’s eyes widened with fear.

“Oh no… PENNY!” Ruby screamed with fear, sprinting towards her. Tyrian lifted his head and grinned maniacally as he took cover, Hazel did as well, crossing his arms over. Cinder raised her brow with confusion and saw them all running to Penny. Cinder took off to help them, all of them began to converge around Penny, then Icarus closed his wings around his body, and Watts smirked as he formed a Grave Dust barrier around himself.

Cinder was not blind to them…

What the hell are they preparing for?

But before Watts vanished, they all saw he had his hand up, and his Golden Rings were all shining blue. Then they saw that Penny, was stood completely still, like she was frozen. She turned and gasped as she reached out for Ruby. “NO! GET AWAY!” She screamed with terror.

If she could cry… there would be tears…

That’s when it happened.

Her green eyes went red, and the Black Queen Virus was back in control. Suddenly a powerful blast knocked them all on the ground. “Penny! It’s me! It’s Ruby!” She cried out desperately, then her internals started to glow a bright green as she panted desperately.

Penny unleashed a deafening scream, throwing her arms out as she shrieked to the sky. Then a massive green blast formed within her, slowly destroying everything around her.

“Penny!” Pyrrha screamed.

“It’s too late… the Black Queen has full control. Ironwood’s Ultimate Weapon is being deployed!” Ruby called out as the blast grew larger and larger. Cinder threw herself in front of them and created a barrier of ice, pulling the waves to her and using the ice to protect them from Penny.

The Android cried out as the blast devoured everything around her, reducing the trees, the birds, the crabs – everything – to ashes.

And before they could even react…

… the ice wave exploded and was destroyed as well.

And everything went black.

 

Watts

 

Once it was over, Watts lowered is Grave Dust barrier, stepping out. The once gorgeous white beach was now reduced to black ash, all the flora had been burnt to a crisp, and silence lapped the waves. Tyrian emerged from where he hid from the blast, and Hazel lowered his scorched arms, the rock armour crumbled from his skin. Icarus also lowered his scorched wings, steaming with smoke.

He turned as the Gyrfalcon banked around the destroyed Salt Stacks towards their location, carefully landing nearby. Watts approached the collapsed body of Penny Polendina, crouching down next to her. “Is she alive?” Hazel asked.

“Alive? She’s a machine… just wiring. I can reboot her.” Watts corrected, then he turned to the rest of Team C.P.P.R, all of them on the ground, some with burns on their bodies. He approached them and scanned them. “They are all still breathing, looks like Cinder’s heroic act saved their lives.” Watts stated, crouching down and reaching for the Relic…

… but something was wrong.

He couldn’t detach it; in fact, he couldn’t even move the thing. “What the hell?” Watts questioned, Hazel then went to give it a go, but even he could not move the Relic at all. It just stayed exactly where it was on Ruby’s hip.

“But… I held it.” Tyrian softly said, Icarus tilted his head.

“Was it always glowing like that?” He asked, they all observed the Lamp, and he was right – it was glowing brighter than it usually would.

That’s when Watts figured it out.

“Jinn…” Watts growled. “This is her… Salem always said Jinn was particular with whom it answered questions. It’s why we need Choice, so she has to do it. Looks like she can even choose who can carry her as well.” He sighed, shaking his head.

Emerald and Mercury both walked out of the Gyrfalcon with wide eyes at the destruction. “Did… she do this?” Emerald asked, gesturing to Penny.

“Yes, Ironwood wanted Penny to be designed as a secret Super Weapon. Against Salem or the Grimm… I simply activated it.” Watts explained. “One more secret dear old James hid from his people.”

Watts stared at their bodies, and he sighed. “Damn it… never easy. Take them, we will bring them to Salem directly.” Watts explained.

“We can’t.” Emerald revealed, he turned and stared at them.

“Why not?” Watts questioned.

“The Gyrfalcon took a heavy hit, and it’s low on fuel. We need to repair and refuel.” Emerald explained. “We won’t make it back to Evernight in the state she’s in.”

Tyrian growled with anger and kicked the ash covered sand. “WHY CAN’T ANYTHING GO SMOOTHLY?” He barked.

“Quiet. They’re right. We have enough fuel left for a small trip. We’ll take them to the Safehouse near Vale. It has everything we need. Who knows… maybe we can get some answers from them.” Watts stated as he stared at their unconscious bodies.

He stared at Jinn.

“You will give me what I desire… that is for certain.”

Chapter 25: Hearts and Minds

Chapter Text

Eryka

 

If there was one thing Eryka hated the most about being a wanted fugitive by the entire world… it was public transport.

Getting to Vacuo was already going to be a challenging task, but they were not as fortunate as Team C.P.P.R with finding a Hover Sail, or as Blake’s Team where the people aboard the boat were kind and had not forgotten that they were heroes. Eryka kept her hood up and her head down as she sat beside Winter at the bar aboard a Airship. It soared across the sea between Anima and Sanus, and aboard were all kinds of people.

As Eryka sipped her coffee, she listened in, hearing all the different discussions. The people here were the more common kinds of people, unlike the Ferry that Blake’s team were aboard. Where they had just adapted to the new world and were more than happy to report any Huntsmen or Huntress activity to the Black Gallows. And of course, Black Gallows were always aboard these vessels.

This one especially – since it had some very wealthy individuals here, and judging by the discussions and, most importantly, the casino in the centre of the ship? It had a lot of Lien aboard it. Pirates were still a danger and having a Black Gallows defence aboard it did not make it completely impossible for such a heist to occur. “Of course the one Airship that we could stowaway on was a damn Casino Ship.” Eryka sighed.

“Just act normal, we can’t hide in the storage bay, they have so many sensors down there… we’d be detected faster down there than up here.” Winter whispered back to her girlfriend, sipping her coffee as well.

Eryka listened carefully, turning to see the Happy Huntresses, Saphron, Terra and Adrien sat at a table, all keeping themselves incognito. In a little cage was Dulcis as well, staying as quiet as he could. They all had their weapons on their person, hidden behind their cloaks just in case. Eryka couldn’t stop paying attention to the people around her.

“Did you hear? Recently in Vacuo the Black Gallows caught an entire team of Huntsmen. Executed them in the streets.” One man mentioned.

“Good, criminals like that deserve nothing less. I’m glad they’ve been culling them… they’re unnatural.” The woman he was speaking to said.

Give me a reason bitch…

I will break your fucking jaw.

Eryka glared furiously at the two people who were sat across the bar from them, sharing a pint of beer together. She slowly clenched her hand into a fist, feeling her scarred knuckles tighten, bringing back memories of when she fought in the pits when she was younger. But then Winter’s hand gently rested on her thigh, immediately tempering her flame. Winter said nothing, just looked at her with a soft smile.

Sometimes that was all Eryka needed to keep her dark side in check, and Winter knew exactly how to read her. Beneath all her jokes and funny nature, Eryka did have one hell of a dark side. And some days… that dark side was appearing more often.

Perhaps losing Neptune was causing something inside her to snap, something dark… something she thought was long buried. But as they sat there, they both immediately looked away from the people and had to be as calm and unsuspecting as possible. Because a Black Gallows soldier had just sat down next to them, and judging from his lack of armour and official clothing? Adorned with some medals?

He was high ranking, and therefore was very dangerous. Eryka looked at her reflection in her still warm coffee and the Black Gallows Officer spoke with the Bartender. “Vasillias Wine.” He said, Eryka nearly scoffed at the irony of it all. He turned his gaze and looked at the two women who were keeping their heads down. It felt like his eyes were burning into the side of their heads.

He shuffled up to their side.

“Hey there.” He greeted, his voice was cold and gravelly. “Can I buy you two gals a drink?”

“Sorry, pal.” Eryka said with a friendly smile as she raised her mug of Coffee, and so did Winter.

He chuckled. “Ah, fair play.”

But he did not move, and Eryka was already beginning to feel nervous. Black Gallows Officers were sometimes far more dangerous than soldiers because they were clever. But there was already something she noticed with this particular soldier. Well, she heard it before seeing it… his cybernetics. It was only when she glanced down at his arm did, she notice that he had been purposefully adding cybernetics to his own body to improve himself in combat. His legs were cybernetic, both arms… and judging by the lights glowing through his clothing… he even had chrome on his torso too. His eyes were glowing red as well… which meant he was probably scanning them.

Don’t give him anything to scan.

“I’m curious, how do two beautiful women such as yourselves end up on this Airship?” He asked as he leant against the bar, sipping his Vasillias Wine.

“Ah you know… wanted to have some fun together. Pooled some money together.” Winter said with a smile, even putting on a pretty convincing accent. End of the day… a Schnee has a very recognisable voice.

“The two of you… together?” He asked curiously. Eryka just nodded and raised her mug. “Well, well… you chose quite the romantic vessel to fly aboard tonight. You two enjoy your evening.” He winked, standing up and leaving them to it.

They both sighed with relief, then stood up and walked away from the table and approached the one with the rest of their team.

“That was way too close.” Eryka sighed with relief.

“How much longer have we got?” Saphron nervously asked.

“A couple more hours. Just keep calm, we’ll make it through this. And if anything does happen… hide. Hide anywhere you can.” Robyn informed, but as they spoke, they turned as another individual approached them.

He did not have any cybernetic implants like that Officer had, but he was very wealthy, that much was certain. He wore a red suit and had a golden necklace, with a pair of Bull Horns that had gold metal adorning the bone. “How has your flight been today? My name is Aaron Cassidy, I own this vessel. I hope everything has been customary for you all.” He greeted, Saphron smiled brightly.

“Oh it has, thank you so much. Everyone has been ever so kind.” Saphron sweetly said, knowing exactly how to be polite, even to people that gave her the heebie-jeebies.

“Well, this trip is actually funding the Black Gallows and their admirable efforts across Remnant. Oh… seeing what happened six years ago… still brings me delight.” Aaron sighed with a smile, everyone fell silent as they stared at him, but it was Terra who spoke up.

“Excuse me?” She asked.

“The Inhumane Necessity. Yes, most see it as tragic, yes… but if you ask me? It was a long time coming. Those academies were disgusting, an insult to what our society stands for and it was due time that they got what they deserved. We needed a real military protecting us, not foolish children driven by fairy tales.” He explained with a smile on his face, which made them all look away.

Terra wanted to punch him, but Saphron sat forward. “Yeah… so how about a toast then? To the Slaughter of Sanctum?” Saphron asked, Terra glanced at her, hearing her voice slightly tremble.

Saph… careful…

“Slaughter of Sanctum? Now there’s a woman who knows her history.” Cassidy chuckled with a grin.

“Oh we didn’t just know it… we lived it.” She said, gesturing to her wife and son. “We used to live in Argus. Saw it all go down.”

“Yes… a nasty day then but looking back it was all worth it.” He shrugged. “Commander Killian had to make some very difficult decisions.”

“Yes, he did… but… was it?” She asked with narrowed eyes.

“Was what?” Cassidy asked.

“Was it worth it? Murdering… butchering… all those poor innocent children? Not even teenagers… children. I could hear the gunfire from my home, see the smoke and the fire. Hear the screams…” Saphron’s voice was trembling but not from fear, from heartbreak… horror of what she experienced that horrifying night.

Not only did she have to come to terms with her brother being killed that night, but she heard that going down as well simply down the street from her. And it… still… haunted her, every single night.

“I knew parents who had children going to that Combat School… some of them were friends. Some of them… aren’t around anymore… either because of… the Revolution Efforts… or just because they couldn’t live with what they lost that night. I nearly couldn’t… after losing my brother.” Saphron explained, Robyn readied herself.

Emotions were boiling in Saphron, she was furious… filled with hatred for the people aboard this Airship who were celebrating the deaths of so many good innocent people. And children.

“Indeed – all fondly remembered by Salem’s Kingdom.” Cassidy brushed her words off with a smile, Saphron’s eye twitched.

“Yeah… and they’re all dead.” May agreed, glaring at him, he turned his head to her, and he smiled.

“Well it was a small price to pay for the future. I mean if we hadn’t culled the weak and the impure then we would have never had the world we have now. Free from their kind and their way of doing things.” Cassidy shrugged with a bright smile on his face.

I wanna kill him… I’m gonna kill this bastard…

May glanced at Robyn who was shaking her head slowly. They couldn’t cause a scene… but the anger was brewing in everyone here. “In the end… it was all worth it.”

“Depends on who you ask, don’t you think?” May asked curiously.

“What’re you getting at, sweetheart?” Cassidy inquired.

“All those people who died? The Men… Women… Children… was it good for them? Gunning down innocent children in a school because… what? They were part of a system you disagreed with? How was it good for any of them?” May questioned, her fist clenched tight underneath the table.

“Well it doesn’t matter anymore… their worries are over, and their sacrifice has helped us become stronger. I was once nothing more than some bum off the street… now look at me! I have more money than I know what to do with, and there are so many other good men and women out there who are just like me. People who adapted to this new world… people who have been waiting for it. All we had to do was wait… wait for the scum to be burned away from the world. And Salem is going help us grow even more powerful, and when the Huntsmen and Huntresses are nothing more than scary bedtime stories decades from now? When ever last one is eating dirt? Or just dust in the wind? Only then… will the world finally be safe… and we will all be strongest.” Cassidy explained with a genuinely evil look on his face.

Saphron was beginning to tear up from rage as she sat there, then he raised a glass and smiled.

“Hail Salem.” Cassidy said, taking a sip from his glass.

It took everything they had for them not to kill Cassidy, but luckily, he had no idea that he was speaking to a group of Huntresses just then, and he hadn’t even realised that they were all Fugitives.

Saphron felt her nails dig so hard into her hands that she was drawing blood, Terra gently gave her a tablecloth, letting her tend to her wounds whilst May watched Cassidy leave with dagger eyes.

“That was even closer… we need to get off this frickin Airship. Before we start killing everyone in here.” Eryka snarled viciously.

 

Cinder

 

She slowly came to…

Her head was pounding with pain, but breathing was even harder. Felt like her lungs were on fire, and she couldn’t help but cough. It was a heavy, wheezy cough, the kind that left you completely breathless at the end of it. She slowly sat upright, spotting Penny first, leant against the wall… she seemed to be offline. Her eyes were open, but her irises were grey instead of green, and she was not moving. Ruby was laid on the ground as well, with Tyrian fiddling with the Relic on her keychain, still trying to get the thing off.

He growled with anger. “Why don’t we just kill her and be done with it?” Tyrian barked, pointing the Queen’s Servants at her head, opening the barrel, but Hazel shoved him away from Ruby.

“Leave her be!” Hazel yelled.

“I’m with Hazel, Jinn seems to have quite the emotional connection with Miss Rose. I feel killing the child will not do us any favours.” Watts stated, Tyrian snarled as he paced back and forth like a wild dog.

“Will you quit pacing around? You’re stressing me out.” Icarus sighed, leant against the wall, rolling his eyes. Tyrian growled as he stormed towards Icarus, the Bionic Winged Mercenary swiftly stood up to challenge him. “Yeah? Go on then, attack me for your precious queen.” He mocked.

“Watch your tongue!” Tyrian screamed.

“Or what?” Icarus yelled back, Hazel just sighed and walked outside, slamming the door shut behind him. Watts suddenly sent the Grave Dust forward, forcing the two apart.

“I did not come here to be a babysitter. Both of you, get out of my sight before I kill you both. Wait by the Gyrfalcon until it is repaired and refuelled.” He warned, glaring at them, Tyrian stared at him with gritted teeth. But Watts just stared right back, completely unafraid of Tyrian. The Scorpion Serial Killer on the other hand was definitely intimidated by Watts, since he never knew what the man was plotting in that clever brain of his. Watts stared at him relentlessly as he walked out, then turned to Cinder as she came to, still coughing her guts up.

“Well, well… that’s quite a cough.” Watts said as he approached her, crouching down in front of the Fall Maiden. She wheezed and spat out some of the seawater still in her system.

“Looks like accidentally drinking a gallon of sea water isn’t good for you… who’da thunk?” Cinder chuckled, rubbing her reddened throat, Watts had that look in his eyes, the one that Cinder… hell… nobody… could possibly figure out.

“Perhaps…” Watts said suspiciously as he rose back up to his feet, but Cinder chuckled softly as she rested her head against the wall, looking to her right to see a still unconscious Pyrrha Nikos. Seemed like Cinder was the first one up.

Like always.

Ruby was always the one to sleep in the longest, lazy bum. “Appears things haven’t changed… you having to keep the lunatics in check all the time.” Cinder chuckled; Watts chuckled as he slowly walked around the room.

“Yes, you haven’t missed much in that area. Tyrian is always a good boy when around Salem… but as soon as he is away from her… it’s like trying to keep a Mad Dog on a Leash.” Watts stated. “Hazel is still his boring self; Icarus loves to throw fuel on the fire that is Tyrian Callows… and… well… Mercury and Emerald are just as suspicious as they always were. I’m certain you know exactly what I mean by that.” Watts stated, turning to the Fall Maiden once more.

“Oh I do…” Cinder agreed. “I’m surprised you kept them around, without me to keep them in line.”

“Salem has her way of… reconfiguring people…” Watts stated, he approached the table and picked up his Revolver. “It’s a shame you left us; you could have gotten everything you could have ever wanted.”

“I have everything I could ever want. Well… I did, you blew up one of those things.” Cinder said.

“Adam did that, which was disobeying Salem’s direct order to leave you be. But then again, if I seem to recall… I offered you a deal, didn’t I? We all did, more than once. To keep you and your precious little family out of this. You should have taken it.” Watts said to her, Cinder softly chuckled.

“I always was a migraine, you said it yourself, Arthur.” Cinder stated. Watts smirked sinisterly at her as he walked towards Ruby who started to come to. Her silver eyes opened, and she gasped fearfully, immediately reaching out towards Penny.

“PENNY!” She screamed, but Watts slammed his boot against her cheek, pushing her against the wall.

“You needn’t worry about her. I’ve put her into a sleep for a while… she’ll only reactivate when I allow it. Y’know, like any old tool.” Watts stated, glaring down at Ruby with a cruel smirk, she gritted her teeth.

“YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT HER! She’s more human than you could ever hope to be…” Ruby growled with fury. Watts softly chuckled.

“Y’know of all the things I predicted… her to genuinely develop feelings of love was quite the surprise. Polendina did do a very good job of creating her artificial aura. But… she is still a machine, and her body does whatever I command. Of course… she is still completely aware of everything her body does… she simply cannot stop it.” Watts explained, walking around the room.

Ruby immediately lunged for him, but he swiftly drew his gun and aimed at Penny. “I wouldn’t… one bullet through her head… and that’s it. No switching her back on.” He promised, grinning.

Ruby had to stay where she was.

Pyrrha came to as well, looking ahead to see Arthur Watts with his gun aimed at Penny. “It appears the Spirit in the Lamp has taken a shining to the four of you, to Miss Rose in particular. If things were different, I would have killed you all in your sleep by now.”

“Very brave… big hard man, aren’t ya?” Cinder scoffed, until suddenly Grave Dust wrapped around her throat, choking her.

“Careful… you wouldn’t want that cough to get even worse.” He warned.

“That’s enough! Just tell us what you want!” Pyrrha yelled, in her eyes she could see the Brother of Darkness looming in the shadows, his arms crossed. Watts turned his gaze to Pyrrha, and the Grave Dust that was choking Pyrrha returned around his hand, swirling between his fingers.

“Everything.” He revealed. “Knowledge… power… I want it all. And Jinn will tell me how.” Watts stated, turning to the Lamp on Ruby’s belt, keeping the Gun aimed at Penny. “Summon her.”

“No.” Ruby answered.

Watts clicked the hammer of his Revolver down. “Do you really want to test my patience?”

“It won’t work! She only answers to those she deems worthy… and the fact you can’t even pick up the lamp shows how she views you, doesn’t it?” Ruby questioned, Watts stared at her, and he sighed.

“Alright, how about a little incentive?” Watts asked her, he turned to Penny and raised his over hand, and the rings shone blue. Penny’s eyes flickered back to life but only her head was able to move.

“Ruby? Ruby? Where are we?” She nervously stammered, until suddenly there was a loud crack. Watts fired his gun into her side, blowing a hole in her torso, causing green oil to splatter across her dress. She screamed in immense agony.

“NO! STOP!” Ruby begged desperately, he then crouched down and grabbed Penny by the chin, pressing the hot smoking barrel against her Temple.

“SUMMON HER!” Watts roared.

“FINE!” Ruby screamed back, she closed her eyes with grief, and she just sighed. “Jinn…”

The Lamp took a few moments, but then the blue smoke swirled out from the Lamp, rising up in the air. The smoke formed into her beautiful body, and she floated over Watts, but she was reserved unlike her flirty and energetic self. “Doctor Arthur Watts…” Jinn greeted, as time slowed around them all to a complete pause.

“Finally…” Watts smirked as he walked away from Penny, shoving her head aside.

“You have a question for me?” Jinn inquired softly.

“I do.” He began as he approached.

Then he asked.

“How do I kill Salem?”

That… was not what any of them were expecting. All of their eyes widened with total shock when they heard the words leave his lips. Even Jinn looked surprised by the question.

“You seek power… her throne…” Jinn softly said.

“I know what will happen if Salem gets what she wants, she does not care for the consequences, but I would rather be able to survive. And I want what is rightfully mine. I have asked you your question… now hold your end of the bargain… and give me my answer.” Watts demanded.

Jinn stared down at him. “Beware, Arthur… your desires may not end the way you hope they will.”

“I believe I will decide how this story ends.” Watts stated, staring up at her as she floated over him. Her blue eyes narrowed then she sighed, but for the three of them… they could not hear the answer. Time seemed to skip for all of them as she delivered her answer to him, and then she retreated back into the Lamp as quickly as she formed. And time resumed back to normal.

Watts stood tall and he smirked sinisterly, holstering his pistol, and staring down at Ruby as he walked away from her.

“Got what you wanted?” Ruby questioned with fire in her eyes. He stood in the middle of the room, and he held his free hand up, moving each individual finger. He turned slightly and they just saw his smirk beneath his moustache.

“Not yet.”

Ruby, Cinder and Pyrrha all winced and gasped as they felt they heads begin to ache badly, like somebody was pressing their hands against their temples extremely hard. “Oh fuck…” Cinder strained.

“What’s… happening?” Pyrrha groaned in pain.

“Watts’… Semblance… he’s using it!” Cinder growled in pain…

… then the entire landscape changed around her.

 

Ruby

 

“Emerald Sustrai has talent with tricking your minds… but her power is nothing in comparison to mine. Have you ever wondered… what your futures could have been? Allow me to show you… For your mind is the clay… and I it’s sculptor.” Watts’ voice echoed in her mind as he began to form whatever he wanted her to see.

Faintly… Ruby could hear Penny screaming… but then it returned back to normal.

Ruby fell forward, her palms landing in cold muddy water. For some reason, she could not control her body, or even her words… it was like she was shoved and strapped to a seat, being forced to look through the eyes of a completely different individual. She gripped onto Crescent Rose and swung around, slashing straight through the throat of the Ursa. The huge Bear Grimm roared in fury as it crumbled away into thin air, the bone armour broke apart and the blood smothered teeth and fur faded as well.

She sobbed on her knees, covered in mud and blood… then she saw what was left of her dear sister. Yang was ripped apart by the huge Grimm, the day she was teaching her how to fight hand-to-hand, due to always being too reliant on Crescent Rose to survive. But now… her best friend from birth was dead… and she was alone. The pain she felt in her heart made her feel sick as she covered her eyes.

No… No that’s not what happened!

What is this? What are you doing to me?

“Have you ever wondered… how things would have gone in your life if a single moment happened differently? Who would you have become?” Watts’ voice asked her, sounding like a haunting phantom in the back of her mind.

Stop it… Get out of my head!

When Ruby lowered her hands from her silver eyes, she gasped with tears in her eyes, finding Valravn there. Taiyang was on his knees, and the terrifying old enemy spun his Scythe through his fingers, pressing it against the side of his neck, forcing him to lift his head.

“Where is the child of lost light?” Valravn snarled viciously.

“Go… to hell… you goddamn monster.” Taiyang snarled right back, Valravn said nothing more, cutting straight through his throat so fast that blood burst from his jugular.

“DAAAAD!” Ruby screamed with heartbreak as his body slumped forward, Valravn’s head swiftly turned, and he laughed darkly. Ravens and Crows all cawed as they swirled around him. But just as he shot forward to strike the Silver Eyed Girl down, Ruby rushed away in a flurry of red petals. She ran as fast as she could from Valravn.

She ran for days…

… and days turned to weeks.

The sound of Crows and Ravens echoed through the sky, bringing her unending fear of those red eyes from the inhuman man that was hunting her. “Valravn… Valravn… Valravn…” The whispers spoke deep in her mind.

She was covered in dirt and grime, hiding from the Branwen Tribe as they patrolled Vale, searching for her. Ruby kept Crescent Rose close, ready to fight back if she had to. But luckily the Bandits left before they even noticed. She limped through the woods, her boots with holes in them, and her feet bled. She sniffled but turned when she saw a small tortoise waddling through the grass. She aimed her rifle at the little animal… and took the shot.

She had to survive somehow.

Blood covered her face and hands as she ate the dead turtle, ripping as much edible meat from the shell as she could, and moving on before Valravn’s Tribe could catch up with her. She continued to walk through the wilds of Vale, her hair grown much longer, and she was completely unrecognisable from the sweet Huntress in training that was back at Patch. Blood stained the blade of Crescent Rose, after a few Bandits hunting her.

She stopped and turned when a stray bullet flew towards her, but she deflected it and gritted her teeth savagely. A Bandit rushed towards her – it was Shay – and he fired his Revolver at her repeatedly. She deflected every shot, then zoomed forward, but just before she cut him clean in two, one shot hit her in the thigh. Blood sprayed everywhere as the halved corpse of Shay collapsed into the dead leaves, and Ruby tumbled into a ditch.

She winced in pain as she held her leg, holding the bleeding back as long as she could. She still did not have time to celebrate though, because she heard many footsteps make their approach on her.

The first thing she heard… was a man whistling away and grinning as he approached. He spun Melodic Cudgel around his finger as he towards the ditch she was laying in. “Well, well, well… lookie what we have here?” Roman Torchwick greeted with a sinister smirk on his face, approaching her with Neopolitan beside him, Hush rested on her shoulder. They walked with a team of White Fang soldiers who had their guns trained on her. “Quite the weapon you’re packing there, Little Red.”

“Wanna closer look?” Ruby barked, immediately going to behead him, but he dodged her blade and smacked her in the gut with his cane. She crashed back down into the ditch, but Roman was still smiling as he crouched down in front of her, resting the cane over his knees. He took off his hat and smiled at her.

“My, my… you’ve got quite the fire in you, kiddo.” Roman chuckled.

“I don’t want any trouble.” Ruby wheezed.

“Well then you probably shouldn’t have taken a swing at me.” Roman replied.

“Or I probably shouldn’t have missed.” Ruby laughed with quite a disturbing laugh, completely unlike what Ruby would really do. Roman smirked and laughed back at her, admiring her.

“Y’know… it’s been quite a long time since I have decided to do the Good Samaritan thing of saving a random bum on the road… right Neo?” He asked, she just gave him the middle fingers, making him chuckle again. “But I gotta say… I like you and how much of a little badass you are, red. And I think we could use someone with your skills, especially my employers.” Roman greeted.

He picked up Crescent Rose and offered it back to her. She held it in her hand then looked at him with confusion, which was doubled when Neo chucked an Apple to her, which she caught immediately.

He smiled. “Name’s Roman Torchwick… and you?”

She raised the red apple to her mouth and forcefully took a bite out of it. “Ruby Rose.”

Ruby watched as the memory continued, showing the Branwen Tribe completely set ablaze, and she fought alongside Roman, Neo… and the Children of Salem. Cinder blasted fire from her hands, burning the tents down, and Tyrian laughed maniacally as he stabbed Oscar Pine to death with the Queen’s Servants, gaining immense pleasure as he waited in pain.

Raven, Qrow and Valravn were forced to their knees, and she approached them… and Salem emerged from the shadows with blood on her hands and the side of her cheek. The Three Branwens looked at the Dark Queen as she slowly walked back and forth. “I have committed a great deal of resources to the sacking of your tribe, Valravn Branwen. You have been assaulting our missions for far too long… but as you can see… my newest addition to my children – Ruby Rose…” She introduced, as Ruby stood before them, clad in jet black robes and armour with a black version of Crescent Rose in her hands.

Qrow and Raven both gasped in fear, but Valravn just stared right back at her. “Normally I would hunt down people like her – but she has a bloodlust that even I admire, so who would I be to stand in her way?” Salem asked, turning to Ruby and gently squeezing her shoulder. “Go on… do it for your sister and your father. Avenge them, daughter.” Salem softly said to her, before stepping back to let Ruby have her revenge.

She walked towards Valravn, glaring down at him. “You didn’t know who we were… and yet you lead that Ursa… and let it devour my sister. She was the most important person in the whole world to me… and then you butchered my dad.” Ruby stated as she stared at them, pacing back and forth. “Back then I never would have imagined I would become as strong as I am now… but here and now? All I see is red… and when I see red? It is merely a question of what I am capable of. Now I understand… the people I loved were holding me back from what I could do. But not anymore… now I am capable… of whatever I want.”

Valravn remained fearless as he stared her down, spinning Crescent Rose through her fingers. “So this? Is for letting me off that leash.”

Ruby screamed with rage as she cut Valravn down, then Raven and then Qrow.

A few weeks later…

The Attack on Beacon began.

Ruby had cut down so many people, so many good students who just wanted to save the world. She killed Penny, and let Adam take Blake. The entire Academy was falling apart around her.

Cinder battled Pyrrha on top of the tower whilst Weiss went to go help, only to be confronted by Ruby Rose. She stared Weiss down, and the two were complete strangers to each other. Weiss screamed with fury as she launched towards Ruby, and the two battled together in the same part of the courtyard where they first met.

But in the end… Weiss rammed Myrtenaster into Ruby’s ribs, pushing her down against the ground. Ruby gasped, choking on her own blood as she stared up at Weiss, who stood over her with gritted teeth.

Weiss screamed with hatred, and stabbed Ruby over and over again in the heart, until she died, covering her white dress in her blood.

Then the Episode ended…

 

Pyrrha

 

“What if… Ruby Rose hadn’t gotten to you in time? What would have happened… if you were not there to help when they needed you?” Watts asked her in her mind.

She saw it… what would have happened that fateful night. Ruby jumped up the Tower off Weiss’ Glyphs, landing just in time to see Cinder loose the arrow and fire it directly into Pyrrha’s sternum. Pyrrha jolted back with a gasp and yelp, shuddering, hiccupping breaths as she felt her life fade and an indescribable final pain rushed through her body… and then… nothing.

Cinder gently cupped her cheek, and burned her body to golden embers, leaving only the circlet behind. Then Ruby snapped, unleashing the full power of her Silver Eyed. “PYRHAAAA!” The Wyvern was frozen to stone, and Cinder was badly injured. But she saw what Cinder would become, a Grimm arm consuming the one which stole Amber’s power.

Then… the hallucination showed more impactful events. Jaune stood in the dark woods of Anima whilst a tired Ruby watched with grief in her heart. Regret… even guilt. He swung at the air, following that training video she left for him, just in case things ended the way that she feared they would.

“Alright Jaune, just as we practiced. Shield up, keep your grip tight, and don’t forget to keep your front foot forward.” Pyrrha’s voice reminded through the message, six months dead at this point, yet he had progressed so far in those months, doing everything she taught him off by heart now. “Ready? Go!”

The future events continued, and she saw Team R.N.J.R first encountering Tyrian Callows, to Qrow being poisoned by his stinger, to the Nuckelavee. And in every single one, they saw how he was always there for them. He was being crushed by the weight of his grief over losing Pyrrha… but he never gave up. He never faltered, he just kept fighting.

For them.

It made her… so proud of him.

She then saw them inside of Mistral Academy, Leonardo Lionheart stood over them, with Raven Branwen here as well. Hazel, Mercury and Emerald were here as well… alongside Cinder Fall. It gave Pyrrha a reminder, of just how much Cinder had changed from who she was back at Beacon, and how far she is from what she could have become. She smirked sinisterly at Jaune as he let loose at her.

“How can you be so broken inside? To take so many lives… and rub it in our faces like it’s something to be proud of?” Jaune growled, his voice wobbled.

“Jaune?” Nora reached out to him.

“ALL WITH THAT DAMN SMILE ON YOUR FACE!” Jaune roared, gritting his teeth with tears rolling down from his eyes. Cinder’s smirk faded as Emerald looked up at her.

“I’m gonna make you pay for what you did! Do you hear me?” He yelled again.

“Kid!” Qrow yelled… it was strange for Pyrrha… seeing Qrow there for some reason. After everything he did… why would he be there?

“WELL? SAY SOMETHING!” Jaune roared, Cinder just looked more confused if anything, and her words made even Pyrrha enraged at this variant of her.

“Who are you again?” She replied, looking almost repulsed by his existence. And that was it, he roared with rage as he extended Crocea Mors into its old Broadsword Form and he sprinted towards her.

Then the scene shattered into the next as he ran towards her, and now he had a much younger Oscar Pine by the collar, pinning him against the wall. “How much longer can we even trust him?” Jaune growled.

“Jaune!” Yang shouted.

“How do we know if it’s really him?” He yelled, shaking Oscar, making the young boy nearly cry from fear. “What if we’ve been talking to that liar this whole time?”

“JAUNE!” Ruby yelled, with an expression Pyrrha saw more and more of in Ruby these days… anger. But her voice, like always, silenced the whole room, and immediately stifled his rage. He stormed off, and then the scene flashed forward to another, where she saw that same Statue that was made for her in Argus.

I wonder… if it is even still there… if it has been defaced after… everything that has happened? Ripped down by Salem’s Fanatics?

Maybe it should be… I never wanted a monument.

It was such a calming moment, he just stood before her statue, and she could feel his pain… he could feel how much he missed her. Just like how much she missed him now, and she reached out to touch his cheek, but he never felt her… none of it was real, after all. He turned when Ren and Nora ran beside him and looked at the statue with him, Nora holding two coffees for him, at first Pyrrha assumed they were both for Nora, knowing how energetic she always was. But it was for Jaune.

“I’m sorry… I’ve been a terrible leader… and a terrible friend… I…”

“Jaune… this has to stop.” Ren interrupted.

“We… heard what you said to Cinder, back at Haven. You’re not being fair to yourself, we love you, just as we loved Pyrrha. We’re teammates… family.” Nora softly said with a smile.

“We don’t want to lose you too.” Ren said to him.

“I… I think she knew she wasn’t going to win… that she might not make it out alive. But… she also knew she was the only one that could try.” Jaune said, and Ren smiled proudly as he looked up at her statue.

“And so she did…” Ren said, and Pyrrha teared up as she looked at them.

“Maybe we should too…” Nora added.

“Yeah… we should.” Jaune agreed.

“Pyrrha may not be by our side anymore… but we can fight like she is.”

“And in a way… she will be.” Jaune wisely said, which Pyrrha felt deeply in her heart.

Even in death… he was always helping her.

Nora reached the second coffee cup out to Jaune, and he accepted it, smiling back at her little smile. “We should check back at the house, c’mon.” Ren said, he and Nora walked away first, but Jaune waited a few more moments, looking at Pyrrha’s statue as an Atlesian Airship soared across the Argus Skyline.

“Thank you…” He softly said, and he walked away with Nora and Ren, moving on from his grief, and continuing to grow.

What she realised… she will soon have to do… but she was not at that stage yet.

Not yet.

Time skipped forward once more, and they were now in Atlas… and Pyrrha gasped with a slight smile, seeing his new haircut. I like it. He and her team were fighting together against Centinels that burst through icy walls, but then… she saw Ruby again. And… Salem. She rose from a fallen Seer in a tall pillar of smoke.

“The Brave Huntsmen and Huntresses that bested Arthur Watts… congratulations.” Salem greeted, and Pyrrha even noticed who else was in the room. Not only was it Team R.W.B.Y… but Ironwood as well… she had almost forgotten what he looked like, alongside the Ace Ops? It was like the Black Gallows had never existed…

“We stopped Tyrian too, we’ll stop Cinder and anyone else you try to send here.” Ruby retorted.

“Dear girl, their goal was never victory. It was merely to set the stage.” Salem said, arms outstretched while she spoke, Ironwood had his gun aimed at her constantly. Plus his human arm appeared to be in a cast.

“For what?” Ironwood questioned; Salem smirked as she turned.

“For me.” She answered, and as the conversation continued, she saw the end of it, as Ruby defiantly spoke against Salem.

“We’ve seen what you’re capable of… the lamp showed us.” Ruby said, Salem’s expression changed to anger.

The Relic… maybe… maybe we need to ask her a question as well… the same one Watts asked.

“It showed us everything. We’ve seen that you can’t be killed, but we’ve also seen you fail. We don’t have to kill you to stop you… and we will stop you.” Ruby promised, but Salem’s silhouette floated before her, staring down.

“Your mother… said those words to me.” Salem snarled.

“My… mother?” Ruby’s voice cracked.

“She was wrong too.” Salem finished.

And in a rare moment of vulnerability, Pyrrha watched Ruby have a mental breakdown. The moments changed once again… Pyrrha had no idea where she was, but she saw… Penny…

Penny was human… yet she was dying again, with bleeding stab wounds in her ribs. And Jaune was standing over her. “Penny… just hold on! My semblance, I can…”

“No… there’s not enough time to heal me.” Penny whimpered, Pyrrha saw Weiss fighting against Cinder alone in this strange domain. Where are Ruby, Blake and Yang? Where is everyone? “She can’t get the power and the staff… but there is something you can do.”

“No… I-I-I, I don’t know where the others are but… Weiss can give us time!” Jaune begged her.

“Let me choose… this one thing… trust me…” Penny begged, and Jaune stared at his own reflection in Crocea Mors as he drew it. And to grant her final request… he drove the blade into her heart, killing her… so she could choose who the power goes to.

And then… the final moments appeared to Pyrrha, of Jaune running as that domain disintegrated away, and he jumped to the portal, only to plummet, and disintegrate… just as she did. Pyrrha gasped in horror, dropping to her knees, watching as Atlas came crashing down onto Mantle, being flooded completely.

As the Hallucination ended… she heard Watts’ voice in her mind.

“No matter what… the outcome is always the same. Jaune Arc’s fate has been decided… he will always… fall.”

 

Cinder

 

“The end… of the path that Salem has paved…” Watts whispered in her mind, and Cinder swung around with her axe, thinking he was behind her… but she was alone.

At first.

The landscape was completely unrecognisable to her, blackened and destroyed, and the moon was whole in the sky. She stared at the full moon with shock… disbelief… she has lived so long seeing the moon destroyed… seeing it like that? It felt unnatural, but as she walked, she felt her boot hit something soft.

She looked down and gasped, seeing a mangled remnant of Vernal reaching out for her, groaning in immense unending agony. She was not alone, the floor was not ash… it was the interlinked bodies of screaming men and women, Humans and Faunus… even animals… all screaming in endless pain as they writhed constantly. She walked over them all and saw the top of the hill of ending pain.

And she saw her at the very top, holding someone by the throat.

As she approached, she gasped… seeing the twitching corpse of the Brother of Darkness, one of his horns hacked off from his head. Then… she saw her holding the dimmed corpse of the Brother of Light, with the Relic of Destruction in her other hand.

“Finally… justice…” Salem softly said, a smile on her face.

Cinder gasped in fear of what she saw.

And her vision swiftly ended.

 

Ruby

 

She gasped, finally freed from that nightmare, falling forward, and vomiting onto the floor. Watts stood before them, crouching down. “Yes… everyone seems to have the same reaction to my semblance. Showing people possible futures, alternate lives… it always seems to terrify people. Make them sick.” Watts said as he looked at her with a smirk.

Ruby’s silver eyes suddenly shined bright with rage, and she lunged forward, punching Watts across the room, and swiftly dashing across the room to grab onto Black Thorn in the corner. And she pinned the blade against his throat.

He laughed; of all things he could do in this moment… he laughed. “Uh, surely you should be aware of your surroundings?” Watts asked her, Pyrrha and Cinder quickly got back up, shaken by what they saw, also feeling sick.

“The only one who should be worrying about anything right now is you.” Ruby snarled, but he still chuckled.

“Why don’t you check on Polendina?” He asked her, she raised a brow and turned to where she was.

Her silver eyes widened. “Penny?” She gasped; she was gone. Only that green liquid was left behind.

Cinder and Pyrrha both looked around.

“Penny?” They both called out. Then it hit Ruby, her eyes narrowed, and she gritted her teeth.

“What did you do?” Ruby barked, pressing the blade harder against his throat.

“Oh you know… let her stretch her legs.” Watts chuckled, she scraped his throat, drawing blood.

“Try it, bastard. I’ll kill you without hesitation.” Ruby warned.

“Oh I’m sure you will, but if I, were you? I’d better go catch little Penny… before she burns Vale to the ground. Be a shame for dear Dr Polendina to be dead before you can help her, wouldn’t it?” He asked, their eyes all widened, and Ruby immediately shot forward, toppling the back door down. Cinder and Pyrrha both followed her, escaping immediately.

Tyrian burst through the door with the other Children of Salem. “What did you do? WE HAD THEM!” Tyrian roared, aiming his weapons at Watts, but he just calmly walked right past Tyrian Callows.

“All according to plan. They will lead Jaune Arc right to the Relic. And I will have what I need.” He assured with a sinister smirk; Hazel narrowed his eyes as Watts left.

Tyrian turned as the treacherous Arthur Watts walked to the Gyrfalcon.

Salem’s Second in Command clearly was not as loyal to the throne as Team C.P.P.R first thought.

But right now… they had to find Penny.

Because that Virus could cause so many innocents to die in the coming moments.

 

 

Chapter 26: Memories of Kuchinashi

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

No, no, no, no, no…

Goddamn it Watts, I should have seen this coming! Of course he wanted to do this, set her off just like last time. I can’t lose her again… not again… not again.

She ran as fast as fast as she could, with Cinder flying beside her and Pyrrha sprinting with ease across the terrain towards the city of Vale. They were close, they could already hear the cars, and as they ran up the hill, they saw the streek of green headed directly for the city. Pyrrha aimed down the sides of her combined weapons, getting a good look at her. She could see Penny’s body sparking with green crackles of energy, and she even seemed to be jolting. “She’s fighting it still; we need to get to her.”

“I’ll ground her before she can get to Vale.” Cinder assured.

“Please don’t hurt her!” Ruby screamed desperately.

“I won’t!” Cinder assured, blasting ahead of them, flying so fast that she created a sonic boom around her body after breaking the sound barrier.  Her amber eye glared at Penny who was getting closer and closer to Vale, Cinder just kept flying after her, then Penny looked back. Cinder could see it from all the way back here, her glowing red eyes. Penny kept on accelerating whilst Cinder caught up behind her, blowing the leaves from the trees and even ripping plants up from the soil from the shockwave created from her intense speeds.

Cinder grew closer and closer, but Penny suddenly spun around and launched one of her Floating Array swords towards her. “Shit!” Cinder growled, spinning through the air as she avoided it. Penny kept moving in the same direction thanks to her thrusters, but now she was moving a lot slower than before. Her Grave Dust Swords formed around her, and they formed into their laser turret configuration. “Penny! I know you’re in there! Listen to me! This is Watts! Fight it!” Cinder yelled as she tried to stay close to her.

“I am… a machine… a weapon… must destroy… must fight… must burn it all.” Penny’s voice sounded completely devoid of life, then she started to fire her lasers at Cinder. The Fall Maiden kept on flying after her, having to dodge the incoming lasers.

“Sorry Ruby, but I gotta try and ground her.” Cinder said to herself, forming a pair of fireballs in her hands, then she threw them towards the Android. They shrieked as they flew forward, but Penny shot them out of the air. Penny suddenly blasted forward, colliding into Cinder. The two of them spun through the air, remaining in the air thanks to their different forms of thrust.

“Enemy Scanned… health… deteriorating…” Penny robotically said, but Cinder punched her in the face, then they both came diving down.

Cinder ran out of time, because they were crashing down into the Docks of Vale. Penny kicked Cinder away and she smacked into one of the huge red cranes that would lift heavy crates onto Cargo Ships and fell onto the ground. She groaned in pain, coughing, and forced herself back onto her feet, forming her Obsidian Axe in one hand.

Penny hovered high in the air.

“Must complete my mission.” Penny said, turning to stare at Vale. In her eyes, her systems had a specific objective marked – The City of Vale. Team C.P.P.R saw what Penny could do whenever Watts hacked into her, the weapon that Ironwood designed… a last resort against overwhelming odds. A choice that was made for Penny, without her input… and now that was always going to be a part of her.

But the best they could do is get her to Pietro in the city and get that virus out of her head. The weapon cannot be removed, but at least Watts’ backdoor into her body’s systems can be. Cinder tightened her grip on the handle of her axe, ready for the Hacked Penny to make her attack. But Penny immediately went to fly towards Vale again, but Cinder threw her Axe at her, it exploded into her side, knocking her out of the sky. Cinder launched forward but Penny swiftly got up and punched Cinder across the docks, sending her crashing into the wall.

Cinder shook her head, looking up to see Penny flying at her once again, forming all the swords of Floating Array, pitching them at her. Cinder gasped, being pinned to the wall by the swords that all landed around her, then Penny smashed her arm against Cinder’s reddened throat. Penny gritted her teeth, and her eyes were glowing red, completely hacked by Watts’ damned Black Queen Virus.

Cinder swung her head into Penny’s, then the sky darkened, bringing a huge lightning bolt down atop Cinder, blowing the wall apart, destroying her swords. Cinder stood tall, eye aflame and glowing as the wind spiralled around her. She held out her hands, forming the two Obsidian Battle Axes, ready to fight tooth and nail against Penny if she had to.

“I don’t wanna hurt you, Penny… but if I have to I will.” Cinder warned.

Penny stared right back, then she saw her green eyes flicker back momentarily, causing her to shriek in immense pain, grabbing her head. “Cinder! I can’t hold on! You… you have to stop me!” Penny begged before the Black Queen hijacked her once again, kicking the real girl out and letting the puppet assume control. Penny held out her hands, forming the Floating Array once more.

Three remained over her head and started to shoot green lasers repeatedly Cinder, whilst she threw the other swords forward. Cinder blasted forward, shattering the ground beneath her feet, dodging the incoming green projectiles of superheated light. She slashed one axe across Penny’s defensive aura, but as she brought the huge axe downwards, the swords stopped her strike, then Penny shot Cinder in the chest. The blast threw Cinder back, causing her to bounce across the ground.

Cinder drove her axe into the floor, twisting it around and using that momentum to throw one hell of a dropkick into Penny’s chest. That attack broke Penny’s stance, and Cinder slid across the ground, slamming the axe down at her shoulder to try and pin her to the ground. Penny caught the axe, crushing it in her hand, then thrusted upwards, punching Cinder up the jaw.

She grunted in pain, bouncing off the ground, then Penny flew towards her, grabbing the Fall Maiden by the throat. She pummelled Cinder into the ground, ripping up the concrete ground with every single slam into the ground that she made. Penny dug her heels into the ground as she slid towards an inactive Cargo Truck. She twisted around and smashed Cinder into it with all her might.

The whole truck tipped onto one side, crashing into the ground with great force. Cinder grunted, imbedded into the cab door, then Penny smashed her boot down against Cinder’s throat, blasting the thruster into her. Cinder yelled in pain as the green flames burned against her aura. Penny gritted her teeth aggressively as she forced her deeper against the door, bending the metal, crushing her throat and burning her.

Until…

A flurry of petals slammed into her from behind, freeing Cinder from her lethal strike, allowing her to breathe again. The Red Petals carried Penny away and she smashed the girl down into the ground, tumbling with her. She held Penny down against the ground, sat on top of her. “Penny! Penny please! It’s me! Ruby! You’re girlfriend!” Ruby begged, Penny stared up at her, still only with blood red eyes. But for a moment she saw the green flicker back, but not enough for Penny to get a word out.

Penny fired a powerful beam of green light towards Ruby, the only reason it didn’t hit her was due to Ruby’s speed. She darted out of the way as the laser cut clean through one of the cranes, sending a huge crate of Schnee Dust Company Dust crashing down into the ground. The fragile dust crystals all detonated in an incredible display of fire, lightning, ice and even gravity. Huge spikes of rock came erupting up from the crate and came crashing down around them.

Ruby rolled out of the path of an incoming chunk of burning rock, swiftly drawing Black Thorn, opening the Scythe Blades, staring Penny down who glared right back at her. “Penny… please… I know you can fight this! Please! I don’t want to fight you.” Ruby begged with tears in her silver eyes, but in Penny’s? There was nothing, just another life form she had to exterminate.

Penny said nothing, just immediately launched her swords forward. Ruby slashed Black Thorn into them, smashing them apart with each strike, but Penny rushed her and kicked Ruby in the chest. Ruby was just fighting defensively, not wanting to hurt the woman she loved. But Penny just kept on slashing at her, Ruby swirled around and her and grabbed her by the arms, shoving her down against the ground. She held her there and desperately tried to find the panel in the back of her head where they could easily shut her off before they could get her to Pietro.

Penny suddenly created a powerful pulse of green energy that threw Ruby off her and blew the power lines around them. The lights in the docks and in multiple blocks of Vale went out from her pulse, causing a major power outage. Ruby landed on both feet, only to be punched in the face by Penny, so hard it smashed her through the wall of a building.

Penny walked towards Ruby, only to feel something hard wrap around her wrist. She stared down at her arm and saw a metal cable wrapped around her hand and wrist, tightly holding her arm back. She looked forward and saw Pyrrha doing it, using her Polarity against her once more. She was not able to use her polarity directly on Penny due to her upgrades, especially now that the cables were gone and replaced with floating Grave Dust weapons.

Pyrrha raised her other hand and launched a large chunk of metal into Penny, smashing her across the docks. “There’s a panel on the back of her head, hidden by her hair. If we can take it off, we can safely deactivate her. Looks like we’re gonna have to carry Penny to Pietro.” Ruby explained.

“Ruby… I know you love her. But you have to fight her, Penny is not gonna stop. And if we don’t deactivate her here and now, she is gonna start killing people. We have her in a safe place right now, the only people in danger is us. We need to take this opportunity to get this done, okay?” Pyrrha asked her, and Ruby panted, snapping out of it. They turned to see Cinder rising from the truck Penny pinned her too, still in the fight despite the hard-hit Penny delivered.

“Okay… okay… Penny’s tough, especially when she’s hacked. But we can still beat her if we’re smart. Like I said, we just need to get her down so I can get to the back of her head and hit the switch.” Ruby explained.

“That won’t… hurt her?” Ruby asked.

“It’s basically her sleep mode. She uses it all the time to sleep like us, this is just the manual way of doing it, mainly for me to do repairs. It hurts… at least this way she doesn’t have to feel it.” Ruby explained, Cinder descended and landed beside them.

“A quick painless way to knock her out? Sounds good to me… we just gotta get to it.” Cinder sighed.

“I can try and use some metal things to restrain her, but the Grave Dust complicates things. She can still attack us without even being upright.” Pyrrha explained.

“Not if I’m fast.” Ruby stated.

“Well, let’s hope you can work as fast as you talk.” Cinder replied, eyes igniting once more. “Because she’s back.”

Penny threw the panel off with ease, then suddenly fired a powerful and large green beam of energy towards them. The laser sliced straight through the buildings, causing the plaster render to break apart instantly from the heat. Fires ignited and spread swiftly from her attacks, then she shot across the ground towards them, scraping her swords into the concrete floor, creating a deafening screeching sound. She pulsed up in the air, then slammed both feet into Pyrrha.

She crossed Ira Red and Crocea Mortem together, taking the hit, but even then, she had to roll across the ground to recover from the strike. She charged forward with Ruby and Cinder beside her. Penny blasted a beam into Cinder, then roundhouse kicked Ruby aside with ease. That was when she twisted around and grabbed Pyrrha by the throat and threw her into the floor with all her might. Pyrrha bounced up off the floor, her red aura flickered from that one hit, but she still had more than enough Aura to keep her going.

Pyrrha rolled and landed back on both feet, throwing Ira Red at Penny, but she batted it aside, sending it flying. Pyrrha opened her hand, and her polarity made it shoot all the way back into Penny, smashing into the back of her head, knocking her forward and then Pyrrha caught it. Pyrrha rushed her, then smashed her knee up Penny’s jaw, so hard it sent her up in the air, then Pyrrha slammed both feet down into Penny’s ribs. The two crashed down into the ground, but Penny fired her thrusters, sliding away from Pyrrha, and the sudden movement blew Pyrrha off her feet.

Pyrrha growled in frustration, but Penny banked across the sky before diving down towards her with all swords extended. Cinder launched into the side of Penny, smashing her off course. The two hovered in the air, and Cinder punched her across the face. Penny threw her swords forward, slashing Cinder repeatedly, and even blasting powerful belches of green fire at Cinder from time to time.

Penny slammed both feet into Cinder, causing the Fall Maiden to flip backwards, but she immediately righted herself, and then formed her Obsidian Bow. She drew it back and shot three explosive arrows towards Penny. They exploded in front of her, and through the smoke, Cinder zoomed into her, grabbing Penny by the face and descending back down into the ground. She smashed Penny down into the concrete floor, but Penny’s Grave Dust weapons shot at her once more.

Every time they managed to get the upper hand against her, Penny would always find a way to gain the advantage. Ruby flew forward in a flurry of petals, and she hooked Black Thorn onto Penny’s throat, slamming her down against the ground. She quickly tried to get onto Penny’s back so she could find that panel. Cinder helped hold her down whilst Pyrrha ran to help, panting and sweating from all the running she had been doing.

Goddamn it… the one time I wish I could be speedy like them…

“C’mon, c’mon where are you?” Ruby stammered desperately as she moved Penny’s huge fluffy locks of ginger hair out of the way.

“Damn why did you have to have such pretty hair?” Cinder groaned.

“IT’S NICE UNTIL IT GETS IN THE WAY!” Ruby yelled with frustration, she finally moved the right locks aside, finding that bald spot hidden underneath where that small panel was located. “There!”

Penny’s eyes snapped open, and they shone bright red. Her body began to crackle with arcs of green electricity, Cinder’s eyes widened. “Shit! Ruby get back!” She yelled, but it was too late. Penny screamed with fury, unleashing a blinding green blast of energy from her reserves. The shockwave was so powerful it blew both Ruby and Cinder away. Ruby dug Black Thorn down into the ground whilst Cinder had to slam her Obsidian into the floor.

Pyrrha stood her ground, using Ira Red and Crocea Mortem as anchors. Penny kept on emitting those searing hot flames at her enemies. Ruby raised her arm, feeling her aura being withered away by the constant furnace of heat being unleashed by her girlfriend. She used Black Thorn like ice picks, swinging each forward as she tried to get closer.

“PENNY! YOU ARE NOT A MACHINE! YOU’RE A PERSON! JUST LIKE US! DON’T LET WATTS WIN!” Ruby screamed at her, then they saw her red eyes flicker off. But the blast furnace wasn’t stopping, but she was back for a few moments.

“Ruby! I’m sorry I can’t stop it! It won’t stop!” Penny cried out.

“Shut off your systems!” Cinder yelled.

“I… Can’t! IT WON’T LET ME!” She cried out, pressing her hands against her head, dropping to one knee from the immense pain it was doing to her. Like someone was pressing their hands against her temples and started squeezing. The agony was indescribable.

“Penny! Please!” Ruby cried out.

“Ruby… don’t let me hurt anyone else! Not like Kuchinashi! NOT AGAIN!” Penny screamed, Pyrrha and Cinder looked at each other and then at Ruby.

“You won’t! I promise you!” Ruby assured, Penny started to shriek from the pain, and they saw her eyes start to flicker from green to red again. “Penny!”

“NO! GET OUT OF MY HEAD!” Penny screamed.

Then the green disappeared and turned red.

Cinder gritted her teeth, then shot forward with all her might, despite all the damage the searing heat was doing to her, she flew into the heat anyway. Cinder roared from the pain as she reached her hand out, igniting a fireball in her palm, gritting her teeth. Penny suddenly snapped her head to face Cinder, just as Cinder launched the fireball at her. The fireball struck, but Penny directed all her power into the laser, hitting Cinder directly.

“CINDER!” Ruby screamed, as the Fall Maiden was thrown miles away, directly into the city. She came crashing down in the middle of the street somewhere, scaring the civilians. Cinder groaned, falling unconscious as steam trailed from her body after her aura broke.

“Oh crap… it’s just us now.” Ruby stammered.

“She gave us a window! C’mon!” Pyrrha called, spinning Ira Red and Crocea Mortem through her fingers.

“Pyrrha… Nikos… Ruby… Rose.” Penny’s voice sounded scrambled, and they saw the constant sparks of green electricity bursting from her twitching body. Her Grave Dust weapons circled behind her as she stared at them. “Weakness… failure… betrayal…”

Pyrrha and Ruby both charged towards Penny, the Rose launched forward in a blast of Petals, then kicked Penny in the chest to knock her back. Pyrrha slid underneath Penny and slashed across her leg, dropping her down to one knee. Ruby hooked Black Thorn underneath Penny’s chin and slammed her down against the ground with all her might.

But Penny blasted a green laser into Ruby, which smashed her against the wall. Pyrrha tackled Penny to the ground, shoving her head down against the ground. She reached one hand out to the downed cables, and they came flying towards Penny. She used her Polarity to wrap the cables around Penny’s body.

They restrained her arms behind her back and around her legs, holding her still.

“RUBY! NOW! Before her Grave Dust cuts her loose!” Pyrrha yelled.

Ruby sprinted over and dodged the few remaining Grave Dust weapons that shot green lasers at her. Ruby fired her Volcanic Pistols at them, destroying them and jumped over to Penny. She landed on her back and held her hair back. She found the panel a lot faster this time. She carefully used Black Thorn’s blade, lifting the panel up and off her head, revealing the vital circuitry inside.

Including the Deactivation Switch.

“Sorry Penny.” Ruby tearfully said, grabbing the switch and twisting it.

Penny instantly shut off, her eyes went black, and her body went completely limp on the ground. It was like she just died, but what gave them solace was how Ruby described it. She was just sleeping right now, and they could reactivate her at any time. But with Watts’ virus? It was definitely a smarter plan to carry Penny to Pietro so they can get the virus out of her first.

Pyrrha let the polarity wrapped cables drop, then she saw Ruby begin to cry. She sniffled and sobbed, holding Penny close. Hugging her lifeless body, even though she knew she was still technically alive in there. “Ruby?” Pyrrha softly reached out to her, Ruby held Penny’s head against her shoulder, kissing her cheek affectionately.

“I want this to be over for her… to get this fucking thing out of her head. It… it brings her so much pain…” She cried.

Pyrrha shuffled up beside Ruby and gently held her hand, smiling. “She’ll be okay… if anyone can save her, it’s the man who built her.” Pyrrha assured.

Ruby wiped the tears from her eyes. “Y-Yeah… I’m gonna kill Watts… I swear to the Brothers’ Grimm… I’ll tear him apart for what he has put her through.”

It never ceased to disturb Pyrrha, seeing this dark side to Ruby. After remembering her as a girl who would never kill… to this?

It did sadden her.

But maybe one day the old Ruby could feel welcome in this world again.

Pyrrha looked at Penny’s body, then at Ruby, remembering what she heard them say. “Ruby…”

Ruby looked at her.

“I need to know.” Pyrrha said, Ruby closed her tearful eyes. “So does Cinder… we need to know what happened in Kuchinashi.”

Ruby caressed Penny’s hair as she cradled her, then exhaled, cleaning her face of tears. “Okay… here it is then. Every last… bit.”

No more secrets.

It was time to hear the truth.

 

Penny’s Past

 

Six years ago…

The last thing Penny remembered before she was on her own… was Watts. In that dark room in Cypher’s Ridge, the same day that Jackdaw Branwen was captured. All that she had going in her head that day was where’s Ruby? I wanna see Ruby… please tell me I didn’t hurt her…

But she never got to see her… because there Watts was, infiltrating and hiding within plain sight like he always did. The man was a genius, and still was even now. She didn’t even realise she actually fought Ruby when she broke out thanks to Watts’ involvement. She was alone… battered and damaged.

She hid alone in the alleys of Argus, hugging her knees. She could not cry actual tears, but she still knew what it felt like to cry. All she wanted was to see Ruby… and that monster set her off like a ticking time bomb. She turned her head when she heard the Argus Military sprint through the streets trying to find her, so she ran, using a cloak to keep herself hidden. She watched from a distance as the fight between the Rogues and the Hunters raged on Cypher’s Ridge’s airfield. It broke her heart, because from hear she could spot the recognisable Glyphs of Weiss and Winter Schnee, but also the easily recognisable sounds of Yang’s Ember Celica Shotguns.

She wanted to help them… she could have helped them… but what could she do?

If Watts spotted her, he could just do it again.

So she did the only thing she could do, the only thing that would stop her from killing innocent people. She ran away, and eventually flew off into the sky, disappearing.

She was out there in the wilds for months, not even realising that the Inhumane Necessity happened during her exile. Covered in grime and suffering from rust in her exposed joints where the artificial skin had been peeled off from attacks by Grimm. She sniffled as she slowly walked alone in the woods, her hair long and dirty.

She just sat down on her own.

And cried.

She just wanted someone… someone to see her.

Someone to finally be there for her.

She just wanted to see Ruby again.

What she had no idea of was that the Inhumane Necessity had happened, and the Academies were no more. The Huntsmen and Huntresses were being hunted like dogs. She only first learned of this when hiding in the woods on her own. She kept to the shadows, hearing the blood curdling screams.

It was a Huntsman, screaming in immense agony as she saw a Praetorian Knight driving its Sceptre down into his back, he coughed up blood before he died. There was a second, a Huntress, and she fired her weapon into the face of the Praetorian Knight. It recoiled back and snarled, only for the cybernetic Scorpion Tail of Tyrian Callows to erupt through her breast. He lifted her off the ground and threw her down onto a rock. He pounced up onto her with that demented grin, eyes glowing purple.

“The time of the Huntsmen and Huntresses is over… you are all just… parasites… from a world long forgotten already.” He giggled.

Penny’s eyes widened with fear.

Ruby?

No… no…

He giggled maniacally, and Penny looked away as he slowly tortured the poor Huntress to death, covering her ears to not hear her screams.

She remained there, looking through the crack in the tree a few hours later when it grew dark. Crows and Ravens were picking at their corpses where they fell, not even given a proper burial. Rain fell relentlessly, drenching her body and hair, it was freezing cold but luckily, she couldn’t feel it.

She knew she was alone again, so she walked to the savagely butchered bodies of the Huntsman and Huntress. She could not even tell who they were from what Tyrian left behind. But she could at the very least give them a burial. She used her hands, pulling up the soil and mud, opening a hole for them, and taking what was left and gently placing it in the grave. Then she buried them, using sticks to mark their graves.

“I’m so sorry… I wish I knew your names… but… I hope you can rest now.” Penny softly said, then she turned to walk away, disappearing into the darkness.

Penny was gone for a long time, but she had no idea that Ruby never gave up on her. After stealing the Relic of Knowledge from Salem, they had yet to really use it. Ruby sat on a bench at the Summit’s Claim with the Relic sat on her lamp. She rocked it back and forth… an ancient relic… and she was playing with it like some toy. But Ruby could not stop thinking about it.

We never found her…

This world was becoming lonelier by the day, and it hurt. The whole world was against her, yet Penny’s safety was the only thing that seemed to linger the most in her mind. She just held the Relic, staring down at it, then the blue smoke rose from it. Jinn moaned as she stretched her body, sighing as she floated over to Ruby, sitting down beside her, crossing one naked leg over the other.

“Are you going to ogle me all day, or is there a question in that pretty head of yours?” Ruby blushed at the compliment.

“S-Sorry… I… I do have one but…”

“But what?” She asked curiously.

“I don’t want anyone else to be involved in this… just me. This is something I have to do.” Ruby explained, Jinn nodded her head and she rose up and crossed her arms.

“I believe I know what it is you seek. Well then… you know the risks, Ruby. Take me somewhere secluded and ask me the question. Then leave the vicinity before Salem sends her minions after you.” Jinn said. “Although the rest will be up to you.”

Jinn transformed into the cloud of blue smoke and retreated back into the Lamp. Ruby let out a shaky breath, then she got up and approached the room where Yang was working on her new Cybernetic Arm that was made for her. Still tweaking it in places to make it her own. “Yang… is dad here too?” She asked.

“Yep.” Ruby yelped, jolting, not realising her Dad was literally right by the door with his arms crossed.

“Gods, you scared me.” Ruby gasped, hand to her chest, Taiyang chuckled, ruffling his little girl’s hair.

“Sorry kiddo.” He chuckled. “What’s up?”

“I… I need to tell you two something. Promise not to be mad.” Ruby said.

“Uh oh.” Yang chuckled. “Here we go.”

“What?” Ruby asked.

“You’re gonna propose something crazy, right?” Yang predicted.

“Uh… kinda.” Ruby admitted.

“Awesome. Give it to me.” Yang said, Ruby sighed though.

“I need to ask Jinn a question… alone.” Ruby said to them both. “I need to take her somewhere secluded, but I don’t want anyone else going with me. This… I have to do this alone.”

“There’s crazy… and there’s just plain stupid.” Yang retorted.

“I have to.” Ruby said.

“What? Why? What the hell could you possibly ask her that could be so important that you don’t want us to know?” Yang questioned.

“It’s not about you not knowing… it’s that I don’t want to risk anyone else. And besides, having lots of people out there for what I wanna do here? It’s too risky… it’d be safer for me to be alone.” Ruby explained.

“What do you plan to do?” Taiyang asked her with concern.

“Well I don’t plan to assassinate Salem, if that’s what you’re worried about. It’s… more personal.” Ruby explained, Taiyang looked at Ruby then he walked towards her, and he sighed.

“All your life… I coddled you. And then I wasn’t there… I was… broken. Wasn’t there enough for you… and I realise now how much of a mistake that was now. I have to trust you – to trust your instincts. So… if you really believe doing this alone is the best way? Then I trust you. Just… come back, okay?” Taiyang asked her, Yang sighed, knowing he was right.

The small family all shared a loving hug with the littlest member. Then Ruby left the Summit’s Claim, taking the Relic of Knowledge to a secluded little waterfall. A beautiful setting.

The water crashing down was a beautiful backdrop for her as she rested the Relic of Knowledge down in front of her, closing her silver eyes, exhaling. “Jinn…” She spoke, and thus she rose in a pillar of blue smoke. She rose up high and held out her arms with that signature smile on her face, golden chains clinking together.

“Aah… I do appreciate the scenery. So then, Miss Rose. What is your question?” She asked, floating forward with flare.

Ruby stood up and spoke plainly.

“Where is Penny Polendina?” Ruby asked, Jinn smiled softly at her, then she spun around, forming a blue smoke around her. Ruby looked around, finding herself in a strange place. It was definitely here in Anima judging by the landscape, but she did not recognise it. But by the looks of it, the place was some sort of swamp. The marshland had life everywhere, and she followed Jinn who walked over the swampy water.

“Is this right now?” Ruby inquired.

“Correct.” Jinn answered. “You see, Penny has been alone for a long time. But I can promise you this… she needs your help. In fact I think she just needs you.” Jinn explained as they grew closer. Ruby stopped and saw the sign in the road near this swamp, noticing a name that would soon become very familiar to both her and especially Penny.

Kuchinashi

“I’ve heard of that place.” Ruby muttered.

“Yes, Kuchinashi. A wonderfully beautiful town which overlooks the gorgeous waterfalls of Anima, similar to this one, but far grander.” Jinn explained, then Ruby continued to follow the Spirit towards an outcropping, and in the shadows was a campfire. Ruby gasped, wide eyed, crouching down in front of Penny. Her body had been badly damaged over the years without any real maintenance… she looked almost unrecognisable.

The side of her face was most gone, clawed up or eroded to the point her titanium skull was on show. But the other side was mostly intact… and she could see it was Penny. She looked heartbroken, Ruby reached out to caress her cheek, then saw the state of the rest of her body. A missing leg, a hole in her side… it was incredible she was even alive from the damage she had suffered over the years.

“She does not have much more in her. I fear… she may soon… end her suffering.” Jinn warned, hovering on the other side of Penny, looking at Ruby. Her eyes widened with fear.

“I need to get to her.” Ruby gasped, Jinn smiled.

“Got get her, tiger.” Jinn winked, then the vision ended, and Ruby swiftly got up and grabbed the Lamp, immediately leaving the area before Salem’s Praetorian Knights could arrive. And within a few minutes, they teleported to that very location.

Ruby watched from the woods, smirking as she pulled her black hood up. “Good luck catching me, assholes.”

Ruby moved as fast as she could, crossing the continent to get to Kuchinashi as soon as she could. Dodging Black Gallows patrols and killing anything in her path. But eventually… she found the sign. Her eyes widened when she saw it.

“Kuchinashi…” Ruby gasped when she saw it.

This was it… the place…

Please be okay, Penny…

… please…

Ruby didn’t care for the mud, or the creep critters that lurked in this swamp. She immediately trudged into the water but kept her eyes open. As she walked through, she stopped, and her eyes widened… finding a rusted feminine leg in the mud. She crouched down and picked it up… instantly spotting the marks of razor-sharp teeth. Oh shit.

It did not take look to discern what did this.

The water erupted behind her as the cavernous jaws of a huge Crocodile Grimm burst out towards her. She darted aside just in time; red petals floated through the air. The massive beast had a long narrow jaw with a rounded snout at the end… and it was massive. It created a deep guttural growl, its scales rattled, making the water vibrate. “Sarcosuchus…” She identified, the massive Prehistoric Grimm roared at her, and lunged forward, but Ruby spun Black Thorn through her fingers. She spiralled around the creature and slashed through the scales up its back. The armour plating was impossible to cut through, even the bullets were doing nothing.

She landed on a branch and the massive creature vanished into the water once more. Ruby kept her eyes peeled as the huge beast circled her from under the algae infested waters. But it did not stay submerged for long, it erupted up from the water and snapped its jaws at her. It smashed the branch she was perched on to pieces, but she flew forward in a flurry of petals, and slid across the mud.

It was a lot of slower on land, but fast with its attacks. It swung its tail at her, smashing her into a tree, then it lunged towards her. But Ruby yelled with rage and flew forward with both Black Thorn Scythes open, and she slashed straight through its jaws. She cut deep into the membrane holding its mouth together, causing it to clap down. It hissed deeply at her, then Ruby shot forward, cutting through one of its legs.

It hardly even noticed the amputating, then fired a volley of spikes from its back, which came crashing down all around her. Ruby bounced from tree to tree, then yelled with immense rage at the beast, and her eyes lit up the swamp.

The power of the Silver Eyes made the Sarcosuchus howl to the sky, reduced to stone. Ruby landed before the frozen beast, and she finished it off with one hard strike, shattering it to tiny pieces. Ruby stood tall, then approached Penny’s leg, picking it up and storing it in her bag. I can repair this for her… I can repair all of her, I just need to get her back.

She followed the path she saw and found the outcropping.

Penny was there, sat the exact same she was a week ago, the fire was long extinguished. She was just sat there… but her eyes were still glowing green. Ruby gasped, feeling a lump in her throat, and she put Black Thorn away. She carefully approached the damaged girl. “Penny? It’s me… Ruby.” She softly spoke, crouching down in front of her. Penny didn’t move, just staring blankly, at first Ruby thought Penny was gone… then her hand twitched.

And her head slowly turned, her optics stared at Ruby, and she saw her face finally show emotion.

“R-Ruby?” She softly stammered.

Ruby smiled with tears in her silver eyes. “Salutations.” She softly giggled.

“Ruby?” Penny gasped, eyes widening more. Penny immediately wrapped her arms around Ruby, that was it for her. Ruby broke down into tears, sobbing with joy to finally hold Penny again. It felt like an eternity they hugged for. “I… I thought you were gone I… I didn’t know what to do I… I…”

“It… It’s okay.” Ruby sniffled, wiping the tears away, pressing her head to Penny’s. “I’m here now… I’m so, so sorry I took so long. A… A lot has happened.”

Ruby sorted herself out, wiping the tears from her face. “Okay… I gotta somehow stay focused. I’m getting you out of here.”

“Wait… there’s a Grimm… it…”

“Sarco, I know. I got the ugly bastard.” Ruby promised with a smile, Penny’s eyes widened, and she giggled.

“Language!” Ruby laughed, probably for the first time in a whole year.

“I’ve missed you so much, Penny. But I know a lot of people who will be very happy to see you again. Maybe not as much as me… but I don’t think anyone can.” Ruby smiled, she then looped one arm under Penny’s shoulders and the other under her leg. She carried her, much stronger now than she was a few years ago.

She took Ruby all the way back to the Summit’s Claim, eventually arriving at the Gates with her in her arms.

The doors slowly opened, Yang and Taiyang were already there with Ren and Nora. Everyone gasped with disbelief, Eryka and Winter climbed down from the watchtower together and they were both amazed at what they saw. Yang approached and looked at Penny, despite the damage she suffered… it was still Penny, she could tell right away. It was a warm reunion, and Ruby spent days with Penny, constantly. Repairing her, talking with her… cheering her up.

It took a long time, but eventually, Ruby managed to repair Penny completely, fixing her self-healing module to safe her artificial skin. Repairing her leg with Yang’s help and reattaching it, filling the huge gunshot wound she suffered, and getting her brand-new clothing as well.

Penny laid in the bed, and Ruby stayed with her.

“Ruby…” She softly said, looking at her face again with a smile, able to recognise herself once again. “Thank you… thank you so much.” She softly said with a bright smile, Ruby smiled, and she struggled to speak. “Are you okay?”

“Yeah… there’s just… something I have to get off my chest. Something I never got to tell you before… before you fought Pyrrha in the Vytal Festival.” Ruby revealed, she shuffled close to her.

“What is it?” Penny asked her with a curious smile on her face.

“I… well… y’know… uh…” She awkwardly stammered.

Penny sat upright with a sweet smile on her face. “Are you okay, Ruby?”

“Huh? Oh yeah, definitely yeah…”

“Your heartrate is incredibly high.”

“Is it? Oh that’s normal, right?”

“Sometimes… have you done a marathon?”

“Uh… not since I found you.” Ruby giggled.

“So what’s wrong? And why are you blushing?”

“I am? Oh gods… I am bad at this… uh… words…” Ruby flubbed, scratching the back of her head. Penny tilted her head, constantly smiling happily at Ruby.

Ruby looked at her and squeezed her eyes shut. “You and I… we’ve always been close… and… well… I…”

Ruby’s heart was hammering now, and she just gave up with words. She advanced towards Penny, gently kissing her on the lips. Her eyes widened with total disbelief at what just happened. “Y-yeah…”

Penny stared at her and held her hands together. “Y-You… feel that way towards me?”

“Yeah… I… I love you.” She finally admitted. “I’ve had a crush on you for a really long time and I wanted to… tell you that.”

“But… I’m… a robot.” She said to her, and Ruby smiled and sat next to her on the bed.

“Penny… do you really think I would sprint across a continent… to find a robot? Or would I do that for someone I love?” Ruby asked her, gently holding her hand. “It’s like I told you. You’re not just nuts and bolts… you’re just like me. A person… I don’t care if you have a metal skeleton or not. You’re the first person I’ve ever met that I felt this way for… and I just… wanted you to know that.”

Penny still looked shocked, but then she smiled back at her. “I… I am not very experienced with… kissing.” Penny giggled.

“Eh, neither am I. Guess we’ll have to figure it out together, huh?” Ruby asked, then her eyes widened. “Wait does that mean you feel the same –”

Penny stopped her from talking by kissing her right back, then she giggled adorably. “Yes, Ruby. I do too…” Penny admitted, Ruby blushed and smiled.

“Wow… so I guess that makes us girlfriends now.” Ruby nervously said, and Penny giggled back. Then they both shared a passionate kiss together, holding each other close.

Finally they were happy.

And for the next five years it stayed that way, being a productive member of the Summit’s Claim, and she helped them carry out their missions against Salem. Constantly rebelling against her time and time again.

But then… it happened.

Nine months ago…

They had a tip that Watts had been to Kuchinashi, and they had a plan to capture him, interrogate him on information for Salem. This was where it all changed. Penny walked with Ruby, clad with a cloak and hood just like her girlfriend. Yang, Nora, Ren, Eryka and Winter were with them on this mission. “Any eyes on Watts?” Ruby asked.

“Nothing yet but be ready for anything. We know he is deadly; we just need to knock him out.” Winter explained, they all had Black Gallows Restrainers to use on him as soon as they would spot him.

Kuchinashi was a beautiful place, with a gorgeous view of the mountains, rolling emerald hills with forests of pink blossoms and the stunning waterfalls. Penny smiled in awe at the beautiful view with Ruby beside her. “Would make for a nice vacation spot, huh?” Ruby asked her with a smile, making Penny giggle.

“Yeah, it would.” She agreed.

It didn’t take long for it to happen though, Eryka heard Dulcis screech, and she spun around, already drawing Constantine Damascus.

Watts was stood down the street but was staring directly at them with a sinister smirk. Winter dropped down behind him with Yang and Nora beside her. They all surrounded the Scientist who stood still. The civilians all gasped, watching the spectacle. “Arthur Watts! Stand down and come with us without hassle… and we might consider letting you live.” Eryka warned, Watts just smirked.

Ruby stared at him, then noticed his hand, clad with the Golden Rings. “You children disappoint me. Never have I seen a group fall so perfectly into a trap.”

“We found your traps, already disarmed them. You wanted to blow this town sky high. You’re outnumbered and outgunned. Stand down.” Winter commanded, keeping her sword drawn on him.

He chuckled at his Niece. “Outnumbered? Definitely? But outgunned? Oh no.” He chuckled, raising his hand and snapping his fingers. His rings glowed blue, then Penny began screaming in immense pain.

Eryka yelled with rage and loosed the arrow, firing it at his chest… only to hit a Hologram Drone…

He was never there.

He played them all.

“Oh fuck…” Eryka gasped.

“Penny! Penny what’s wrong?” Ruby screamed, holding onto her, watching as her green eyes turned blood red. She suddenly swung her blades around and knocked everyone to the ground.

“Penny!” Nora screamed, then Winter saw Penny’s body beginning to crackle with green lightning.

“No… no…” Winter gasped.

“What is it?” Eryka asked her.

“He… he told me he didn’t… he wouldn’t have lied to me…” Winter stammered.

“The hell’re you talking about?” Eryka questioned.

“General Ironwood. He told me he once had an idea with Penny… to make her a super weapon… but he told me he decided not to. But… oh gods…” Winter gasped, wide eyed.

“We gotta stop her!” Ren yelled, but then she unleashed a powerful pulse of green energy. The Rogues were thrown across the ground and the civilians began to scream in terror. Ruby watched with horror in her silver eyes as Penny hovered high above the town, glowing brighter and brighter.

“Penny?” Ruby softly said.

Penny unleashed a deafening cry, and the blast she created was so powerful that the team had to take cover behind the buildings. The green fire devoured the people of Kuchinashi in a single pulse, burning the beautiful pink trees, shattering the waterfalls and causing half of Kuchinashi to come crashing off the edge of the cliff it was built on. Those emerald fields turned black with ash, and only shadow people remained of the people of Kuchinashi.

The buildings were all that remained, utterly destroyed, and were all that shielded the team from the blast.

Ruby rose from the ashes, covered in dust, staring up at Penny floating in the air with a glowing green mist coming off her body. Then her red eyes turned green again, and she looked down at them.

After what she did? It was a haunting sight to see, but not Ruby.

She just wanted to hold Penny tight and make sure she was okay.

But she could not ignore the death around her.

Penny stared at it all, gasping at all the shadows left behind. “No…” Penny gasped, pressing her hands to her head. “What have I done? WHAT HAVE I DONE?” Penny screamed.

“Penny!” Ruby screamed, reaching up to her. Penny hovered over them all but… she panicked… afraid of hurting anyone else. And she flew away, crying in grief. Ruby reached out for her as she grew smaller in the sky. “PENNY!”

Penny landed a few miles away, hiding by a tree, and she buried her head into her knees, sobbing over what she had done.

She had come full circle… alone again… because of Watts.

I’m a monster…

I’m nothing more… than a monster.

But Ruby never gave up on her, and in time, Penny could not live without her. And in time… they would find each other once again in Argus.

A kettle shrieked inside of an Apartment Building in the Free City of Argus…

The window was open as the cool air flowed inside, alongside icy cold rain falling against the pains. The sound of bells and seagulls could be heard from here, as ships docked at the harbour.

She walked slowly through the Apartment, holding a pair of Volcanic Pistols which had transformed into their second form – a pair of small Scythes, that were coloured black and red. Her jet-black cape and hood flowed in the draft from the windows, with small red petals changing the mainly black style of the cape. She pulled her hood down, revealing her face six years later – none other than Ruby Rose.

She calmly looked around, as the Relic of Knowledge danged from her belt, hidden behind her cape. She walked through the Apartment, and she was not alone, with Yang in tow. She also had a hood, a dark gold colour and cloak around her clothes. She had a brand-new cybernetic arm, not as well made as her old one that Pietro made her, thanks to Ironwood, but it still operated the same.

Yang’s hair was died brunette, hiding the original golden blonde she normally had. They had each other’s backs as they searched through the building together, they were looking for something… or someone. Ruby looked through the many magazines that were stacked on the counter, all of them surrounding stories about the Huntresses of Old. And Ruby had been circled in them all – it seemed someone was looking for her.

Yang crouched down by a mattress on the floor, and she pressed her hand against it, it felt warm still. “Ruby…” Yang whispered.

“Yeah?” Ruby whispered back.

“She was here.” Yang assured. “Recently.”

“Come on… where are you?” Ruby softly said, a slight tremble in her voice. They ducked down as a Black Gallows Drone hovered outside of the windows, they were all over the place, searching for people.

Ruby then heard the floorboards creak behind her, and she spun around, drawing her new weapons – named Black Thorn. Her Volcanic Pistols aimed at her target, but she quickly lowered them, feeling her heart flutter with joy when she saw her.

“Penny…” Ruby gasped, seeing Penny stood at the other side. She looked savagely beaten and weathered from surviving on her own.

“It’s… it’s good to see you again, Ruby.” She sweetly said to her, and Ruby smiled.

“Are you okay?” Ruby nervously asked her as she approached.

“W-Wait… stay back…” She stammered. “I… I don’t wanna hurt you again…” Penny stammered.

“Don’t worry, I trust you Penny. You’re one of the few people in the world I trust anymore…” Ruby softly said as she approached her.

“I…” Penny nervously said.

“This isn’t like Kuchinashi. You’re safe… and we’re gonna take you back home, okay?” Ruby softly said, she then gently held her hands. Ruby then looped one hand behind her neck, and pulled her close, kissing her affectionately on the lips. Penny melted into her embrace, returning the kiss as she held her tight. Yang smiled happily to see them together again, it had been a few months after what happened in Kuchinashi.

Their kiss broke, and they pressed their heads together lovingly, gazing into each other’s eyes. “Never do that to me again…” Ruby begged her.

“I-I’m sorry, I promise…” She whispered.

“We’re gonna get what Watts put in your head out of you… I promise.” Ruby assured.

“O-Okay.” Penny stammered, flustered from having her girlfriend back once more.

Ruby hears her comm link suddenly connect, and her silver eyes widened. “They’re onto you Ruby, they’re heading towards the building.” Ren warned, watching from somewhere.

“Do you want us to come and stop them?” Nora asked.

“No… we’ll try and sneak our way out.” Ruby assured. “But be ready.”

“You got it.” Nora assured, sounding excited.

Ruby looked back at Penny. “Do you still have it?” Ruby asked her, and Penny smiled, revealing the dark green cape and hood that Ruby made her. She pulled her hood up and wrapped herself up in the cloak. Ruby affectionately held her hand, and Yang pressed her ear to the wall, hearing the Black Gallows soldiers charging up the stairs.

“They’re coming, let’s go.” Yang whispered, opening the window and sliding down the gutter. Ruby and Penny followed just in time as the Black Gallows Stockholm Troopers blasted the door open, searching for them.

They stuck to the shadows, hearing the many vehicles and soldiers in the area.

“Let’s do this, Team Rogues.” Ruby said.

Not again…

I will not run again.

I will not leave her.

I will.

Not.

Run.

 

Cinder

 

She gasped; amber eyes opened up in the street where she fell. Her head was pounding as she pressed her hands against the broken tarmac. She coughed slightly as she got back up to her feet, holding her chest. It felt like her legs were wobbling constantly, but she kept on moving. “Argh… that hurt.” She groaned as she kept on walking.

People were walking all around her, but she turned in the direction that she came from. “Okay… gotta go… go…”

Her breath became shorter and shorter, then a burning sensation built up in her chest and throat. She began to gasp for air, holding her throat as she coughed extremely violently. She covered her mouth as she coughed, and blood came out. She spat it out but could not stop coughing.

Then her vision grew darker and reddened around the edges.

“Ma’am? Are you okay?” A man called out, but Cinder collapsed.

And it all went black.

Chapter 27: No Ordinary Cough

Chapter Text

Cinder

 

Oh gods…

What the hell is this? It hurts… oh, by the gods, it hurts so bad…

I can’t breathe…

I can’t breathe…

I can’t…

It felt like her chest was on fire, like someone had stuck a burning hot poker into her lungs. She gasped for air, coughing violently on the floor where she collapsed. Her vision came to, the corners of her vision were swelling with a haunting red pallet. To say Cinder was scared would be the greatest understatement of all.

This isn’t just from the sea water… the hell is wrong with me?

“Miss? Miss, are you okay? Ma’am, please!” She could hear a man calling out to her. As her vision slowly returned, she saw him stood over her. He was carefully waving his hand in front of her face, trying to see if she could see him. She coughed again, tasting the repulsive metallic fluid in her mouth. “Are you okay, Ma’am?” The stranger asked her.

“W-Where am I?” Cinder winced painfully.

“Y-You’re in Vale… we all saw you hit the ground. I… I don’t understand how you were flying but… you don’t look well.” He advised. Cinder looked around and saw a group of people observing the scene with concern on their faces.

She struggled to get up onto her feet, pressing her hands against the tarmac, hearing the beeping of cars. “Hey knock it off! This woman is very sick!” a lady yelled angrily at the driver behind the car. Cinder stumbled through the street.

“I’m… I’m fine…” But Cinder fell to the ground once again.

“Ma’am!” the stranger called out, just catch her fall. He helped drag her out of the road, and he leant her against the wall. The man crouched down in front of her and pressed the back of his hand against her forehead. “Gods… you’re burning up. Okay, I’m gonna take you to the nearest doctor. He’s a good man, he can help you. He helps everyone.” The man said, helping Cinder up.

The lady who was with the stranger stayed close to Cinder, hands at the ready in case she collapsed once again. Cinder’s breathing was heavily laboured, wheezing and extremely ill sounding. Cinder could not help but massage her burning throat as she weakly walked, coughing now and then.

“How… far… is this doctor?” Cinder wheezed as she followed the man.

“He isn’t far, don’t worry. Just down this street, his name is Doctor Pietro Polendina, the man can do… well… anything.” The lady chuckled. Cinder tried to laugh, but it made her hack up a cough once again, grabbing her chest. The Lady kept Cinder from collapsing again. She fell to one knee as she desperately tried to breathe. She could feel the air trying to get to her lungs, but it was like they were closing just before the oxygen could reach her. It was unbearably painful.

Then she tasted and saw blood splattering all over her hand. She rubbed her wrist across her lips, smudging the blood over her skin.

“Come on, Madam, you’re so close.” The Stranger gestured, taking her hand to help her keep moving forward.

“Pietro… Polendina…” Cinder chuckled.

“What?” the lady asked.

“N-Never mind.”

The very man we’re looking for? And I crashed land right next to his clinic? And then get a nasty cough which could help me find him?

What are the fucking odds of that?

I swear if those gods in Pyrrha’s head are doing this… I’m gonna kill em myself for making me feel this shit.

Cinder followed the two extremely kind people round the corner, and the man opened the door for her. “Here you are. He’ll help you, he helps everyone.” He promised.

“Tha-Thank you…” Cinder weakly said to the two of them. They both smiled and let her walk into the Pharmacy.

“I hope she’ll be okay… that was a lot of blood.” The Lady said.

“I know… I hope so too…” the man agreed. Cinder stumbled forward and pressed herself against the wall, wheezing weakly. The woman at the reception was a young, pretty Faunus Woman. She stood up and her short wolf ears flicked up when she saw Cinder there. It was only here when Cinder saw her reflection and she saw how bad she looked. Her face had gone purple, and her lips gone blue, alongside dark bruising under her eye. And her neck had swelled up and gone red.

Oh… fuck… this… this is bad…

This was worse than just some nasty cough. At first, she genuinely thought it was from nearly drowning and she was having adverse side effects.

No…

… this was no ordinary cough.

“Can I help you, Miss?” She asked Cinder.

“I…” She coughed again, gasping for air, but it passed, allowing her to get the words out. “I need a doctor…”

“Right away.” She swiftly went to call him, but it was clear he already heard her coughing. The door opened, and she saw the man they came here to find… the man who could save Penny Polendina from Watts’ virus.

Pietro was an elderly man with dark skin and short, balding white hair. He wore a green cap with oval-shaped glasses. He wore a red vest over a cream shirt with a pink bowtie. His dark mustard pants and leather boots matched with his cap and red-brown belt.

Pietro used a special chair to aid himself with movement. This chair was built to have four moveable legs, and was white and green, with yellow accents. His voice normally sounded joyful but, he saw she was not in the right state to be filled with funny jokes to make her laugh. She could barely breathe, let alone laugh at his sense of humour. “Good afternoon, Miss. Please come in, I’ll have a look at you.” Pietro assured, although judging from his expression the second he saw her?

He knew exactly who he was.

Gods… he remembers me. I’m the bitch who caused the death of his daughter a decade ago…

… this will be awkward…

She walked towards him as he let her enter first. His mechanical chair walked in behind her. “Sir… I think I need help…” she wheezed.

“That seems very clear.” Pietro chuckled. “And it’s Doctor Mister, so you know.” He joked.

“I’m sorry.” Cinder weakly replied.

He softly chuckled. “I was only kidding. I apologise, my humour can sometimes be poorly placed.” He said as he helped her sit down on the chair. It was cold to the touch, and she wiped her sore lips with her fingers. Cinder coughed again. Her voice even sounded laboured, growing weaker and weaker with every word she uttered. “Ooh… yeah, yeah that does not sound too good, now, does it?” Pietro chuckled, which made Cinder chuckle as well.

“No… it don’t feel great either, to tell you the truth.” Cinder answered.

He… he still hasn’t said anything… why?

Isn’t he… apprehensive at least?

He definitely recognises me…

Why is he being so nice to the woman who killed his daughter? Or set it up? Played a part… gods I dunno… my head’s all over the place…

“Okay then, tell me… what are your symptoms?” He asked her, shuffling close to her in his chair.

“The cough… it’s the worst I’ve ever had. It… It feels like my frickn’ lungs are on fire, I can barely even breathe.” She wheezed.

“Did you lose consciousness at any point when the coughing started?” He asked her.

“Yeah… just as it started.” Cinder explained, rubbing her head, which ached something awful.

“Okay…” Pietro’s calm and friendly demeanour really made this whole traumatic experience a little easier for Cinder. Despite how frightened she really was. “I’ve noticed the blood, and the discolouring. Was there blood all the time with your coughing? Have you experienced that before?”

“No… never… this is a first.” Cinder answered. He gave her a thermometer, and he saw her temperature was extremely high.

“Hmm… okay, your temperature is very high.” He muttered as he looked at the readings from the thermometer. His chair walked over and he reached for his stethoscope, picking it up and he plugged it into his ears. “Okay, I’m going to listen to your breathing, see what the situation is.”

He pressed the icy cold stethoscope against her chest after he gently opened up a few buttons of her shirt to press it there. “Okay, now breathe for me.” She requested it was extremely hard for her. She had to take deep breaths just to do as he asked. And every breath was severely painful, like a hot iron kept getting pressed against her sternum. She felt the pain everywhere though, in her arms and legs… it was terrible.

He took the Stethoscope away and looked at her and narrowed his eyes. “I’m going to have to check your eye. Open it as wide as you can.” He requested, so she did and he shone his small flashlight in there, and he saw the worst part. There was blood welling up in her eye, not bloodshot, actually bleeding. His eyes widened and then they closed with… almost grief for her. His chair walked him away from her and he set the Stethoscope and flashlight down on the table.

She looked at him, and her heart ached with fear for what he would tell her. “Well? What is it?” She asked.

“It’s not good news I’m afraid, Miss Fall.” The first time he actually acknowledged he knew who she was.

“I kinda guessed that.” Cinder replied, watching as he washed his hands.

“You have Noctis Putrida. I’m so sorry.” He revealed, Cinder felt sick to her stomach when she heard him say that.

“W-What? What do you mean? I… I…” Cinder stammered fearfully.

Cinder had seen people dying in the streets from this disease. It was… a horrible way for a person to die.

Even for someone like her, which was clearly why he seemed so upset for her.

“You’re really sick, Miss. Noctis Putrida is a disease caused by either excessive smoking or from prolonged inhalation or exposure to dust. We’ve seen it in acute cases recently in the Faunus Community, poor workers who were enslaved in those mines… this is like an ultimate insult for them. And… I am afraid there is no cure for it.”

Cinder stared at him with a horrified expression. She looked like she was about to cry. This was not what she wanted. She never wanted to die like this, a slow, painful end from a blade that she could not deflect.

Just a sickness…

That was what got her in the end.

But… something did not add up.

“Wait… you said it happens to people who smoke too much or have too much exposure to Dust, right?” She asked him.

“I’m afraid so…” He confirmed.

“But… that doesn’t make sense. I don’t smoke, I have never smoked. And I have only started using dust in my clothing again recently. I haven’t used that technique in over ten years.” Cinder explained that caught his attention.

“That… no… it makes little sense…” He admitted. “The disease would have taken effect within a few years after forming in the victim, but… never over a decade. You would have felt the affects long before now.” He stated with confusion in his eyes. He walked around in his chair, trying to think of how she could have possibly contracted this disease.

Cinder weakly chuckled. “I guess it’s… fitting then… for a monster like myself.”

“I’m sorry?” He asked.

“Come on… you know who I am. You can’t tell me you are glad… to see me get the justice I deserve for my crimes. I guess this is what it is… Divine Justice for my sins.” Cinder sighed, resting her head against the back of the chair. Pietro stared at her and his hand tightly gripped the chair.

“I never forgot what you did… but I know my little girl is still out there. Somewhere…” Pietro said as he looked out the window.

“Yeah… she’s near alright. I’m part of her team… and she needs your help. They’re probably trying to find you right now…” Cinder panted. His eyes lit up, and he walked over to her side.

“You’ve changed… you really have.” Pietro said.

“No… people like me don’t get to. This just proves that fact. I’m nothing more than an ugly soul… fitting I have an ugly end.” Cinder said as he bowed her head.

“I’m sorry, Cinder.” Pietro said.

“Yeah, well… thanks doc… I’m gonna wait outside… for them to get here. When they do… please don’t tell them.” Cinder begged, but he stopped her.

“Hold on… here, take this. It will boost you up, give you some energy for the rest of the day. And Cinder… try to take it easy. I don’t know how long you’ve got… but maybe it isn’t too late for you to make things right.” Pietro stated. He held the needle with the adrenaline booster in his hand and injected it into her arm. She winced and walked away when it was done.

She pushed the door open and stood there for a few moments, and she just sat down on the steps. She rested her arms on her knees, and it felt like everyone, the entire world, just did not exist around her… like it was just her and her thoughts.

Her memories.

I’m… I’m gonna die…

I’m gonna die a slow… painful death…

So many things piled up in the back of her mind, and even the voices of things she and others said echoed within her.

“Do you believe in destiny?”

“Yes…”

Destiny?

What was I destined to do? To die? To die from a sickness?

How do I tell Amber? Oh, gods… sweetheart… I’m so sorry…

“It’s not about overpowering the enemy. It’s about taking away what power they have!”

So stupid…

So fucking stupid…

Why did I cling to power so much? All the power I have now… the Fall Maiden Powers? None of that can save me, not from this…

“I hope I don’t regret saving you…” Raven’s voice echoed in the back of her mind.

I’m so sorry, Raven…

… you saved me for nothing…

I failed you too..

Cinder lifted her head and looked down the street, and she saw someone stood there, a beautiful young woman with golden blonde hair. Cinder knew immediately who it was. “Amber…” she whispered, reaching out for her.

I wish I’d be able to see you grow up, honey…

… but I’m sorry…

… I don’t think I will be able to now…

These thoughts just flooded her mind, and a tear streamed down her eye. She wiped it aside and saw the blood had receded. She stared down at her reflection in the water. The purple skin tone and blue lips had faded, but the bruising around her eye and the reddening on her throat were still there. Looked like it was only after an attack did she look her worst.

She sighed, shoving the tear away, then she could hear them.

“Cinder!” Ruby’s voice was so familiar that it snapped her back to reality. She and Pyrrha were both carrying Penny together.

“There you are! We’ve been looking everywhere for you…” Pyrrha sighed with relief.

“You okay?” Ruby asked.

“Yep… never better.” Cinder lied. Her voice still sounded raspy, but she stood back up. “Won’t believe who I found.”

The door burst open immediately and Pietro stared with his eyes wide and mouth agape, seeing Penny immediately. He looked at Pyrrha with additional surprise, since she had been dead for six years, but stayed quiet about that and focused instead on his daughter. “Penny!” He gasped.

“Doctor, we need your help. Penny… Watts uploaded the Black Queen Virus into her software. We need you to help us get it out.” Ruby begged. He smiled and nodded.

“Everyone in.” He ordered. He looked down both paths to make sure no Black Gallows or Grimm had spotted them, and once Team C.P.P.R were all inside, he closed the doors, locking them up tight.

 

Eryka

 

Getting off that airship full of rich, snobby Salem-Worshipping degenerates was the best thing that could have happened.

It was only so long before Eryka would have snapped.

In fact, all of them were very close to detonating, especially May and Saphron. Jaune’s sister held Adrien’s hand as he walked close to her. He looked very uncomfortable in this heat. “It’s so hot.” He complained.

“Yeah… just remembered why I never came back here.” Terra chuckled. Eryka walked up the steps with Winter and Robyn beside her, and they looked out at the Vacuo horizon. Despite how desolate it sometimes looked, it had its own kind of beauty. The sunlight seemed to make the sand glow, like it was a sea of light that just rolled on forever. And in the distance were the old ruins of the once great city of Vacuo, long abandoned by the drought that just never seemed to end.

“It looks worse than it did before…” Eryka sighed, remembering back when they came here six years ago.

“Yeah…” Robyn agreed, also remembering those days. Back when she posed as Veronica Chamberlain. The place where she and Killian got together, and when they went on their date together. And of course, Team R.W.B.Y and J.N.P.R would remember this place well too, for it was the first time they came to blows over the Vytal Consensus.

“How much longer do you think this Kingdom will be here?” Joanna curiously asked.

“You mean if we stop Salem and Killian and make sure his bombs underneath all the Kingdoms don’t get detonated?” Robyn asked.

“Yeah.” Joanna answered, though that helped them remember how intense things were getting in Remnant with that threat constantly in the back of their minds.

“Maybe a few more years… if they’re lucky. From what the news says these days, emigration from this Kingdom just grows more and more by the day. And the Draught is just making water, even scarcer.” Robyn stated.

Eryka scoffed.

“You’d think their magical queen could save them, huh? Use her beautiful powers to summon rain to help end the drought. Never did though, did she?” Eryka stated, crossing her arms.

“That’s how it goes. All these new rulers claim they want to help us… but they all end up doing the same damn thing.” May sighed, crossing her arms. “Before long, this entire Kingdom will be abandoned, forgotten. It’s a shame… they could have been something amazing. But the U.G.R did their damage, and Salem did nothing to fix it.”

“I just hope the people wise up and leave this place before it’s too late.” Fiona softly said, touching her arm.

They walked down the adobe steps, seeing the many homeless who were leaning against the walls. They kept their hoods up, for the Black Gallows may not be in Vacuo as much as they used to be, but the criminals here would be more than happy to claim the bounties on all their heads. You leave one danger in a Kingdom and find yourself in another a few moments later.

‘Tis the way of the new world.

“So? What’s the plan? How do we get to that spot your mother mentioned?” Robyn asked, as she walked beside Eryka.

“I’m not sure. We can’t go on foot, though. Vacuo’s Dune Sea is far too dangerous. The Blind Worms out there will gobble us up in seconds. And that’s not even mentioning the extreme heat.” Eryka explained, but Joanna walked ahead of them and she planted her hands on her hips.

“I got an idea.” She said with a smile, looking out at the distance.

“And that is?” Terra inquired.

“You see those dust clouds over there? Near the edge of the Kingdom?” Joanna asked them. They all looked ahead, and Terra stood beside her.

“Ah… that’s a good idea.” She agreed.

“What is it?” Winter asked.

“The Vacuans have many methods of traversing the Dune Sea. One of the fastest methods is by using Sidewinders.” Joanna explained. “I used to live in these parts before I ended up in Atlas, used to play around on those things all the time as a kid. Been a while since I used one, but it’d easily fit us all in it. Hell, it’ll even be fun for little Adrien here.” Joanna said with a wink.

“Yeah, I remember the crazy races they used to do out there. Remember that investigation that caused me to come out here? I got to watch one of those races on those days.” Terra explained, turning to Saphron.

“So, how do we get our hands on one? Steal it?” Fiona asked, shrugging her shoulders.

“Pretty much, but we’ll have to be careful. Saph and Terra will have to stay somewhere safe, maybe with Fiona and Robyn. The rest of us will go in there, the Thugs that protect those things are pretty deadly.” Joanna explained.

“You speaking from experience there, Joanna?” Robyn asked curiously. She turned and smirked.

“What? No…” She lied.

Robyn laughed, shaking her head as she walked with them. “We take one of them and pick the rest of you up, then head out into the Dune Sea. Then we go to the location that Lavinia marked for us.”

“It’s gonna be dangerous. You sure one of those Sidewinders can survive the storms out there?” Eryka asked.

“I’m not saying it’ll be easy, but it’s the best option we have.” Joanna explained. Everyone looked at each other, as if they were all looking for someone to come up with a better idea, but nobody had any plan that was any better than what she came up with.

“Alright then. Sounds like a good plan. Let’s do this.” Winter agreed, walking ahead with Joanna. May and Eryka followed as they headed down the steps, whilst Robyn took Fiona, Saphron and Terra to somewhere safe that they can pick them up later.

 

Blake

 

The Ferry arrived at Menagerie at long last, clad with the scarring of the Sea Feilong and the Syren attack. The civilians all departed off the vessel with their brave saviours at the back. Though they were not foolish, they knew to be careful and keep their hoods up. Even here in Menagerie, Salem had countless allies. Even here, either the Black Gallows or the Feral Ones were known.

And Grimm was patrolling here as well. There was even a Seer, watching the townsfolk as they walked around. They kept their faces away from the creepy creature as it floated across the path. Blake walked beside Yang. She could not see the beautiful place, but she knew it like the back of her hand. And she knew exactly where they needed to go, but she felt her hand quake at the idea of it.

She exhaled shakily. “Hey…” Yang softly said, bumping her shoulder. “You okay?”

“Yeah… just… it’s been a long time since I’ve seen my parents. And it’s been even longer since I’ve been here… not since I lost…” It was like she couldn’t say his name anymore. Even after six years, it endlessly brought her great torment.

She missed Sun… she missed him so badly.

Maybe she always would.

“Take as long as you need.” Yang assured.

“No, no… I’m good. We need them to find Sienna… and… well… it’d be good for them to know I’m okay.” Blake said.

“And for you.” Weiss reminded.

“Yeah, try to think about yourself for once.” Nora chuckled as she walked with Ren. Nora looked at her husband, saw that he was staring at something. She looked as well, and she gasped, noticing what he was staring at.

It was graffiti on the wall of the building that was next to them. The markings were identical to Adam’s mask, a marking left by the Feral Ones. “Damn it, of course they’re here in force.” She sighed.

“This is where the Feral Ones are at their most dangerous. They disguise themselves to look just like the civilians do, no uniforms, nothing. It makes things even more dangerous, so whatever you do, keep your heads down.” Blake warned. They kept walking through the streets. Yang looked around subtly, though, and her big lilac eyes widened in awe.

“Whoa… this is where you were born, Blake? It’s beautiful.” Yang said, looking at her with a smile.

“Thanks.” Blake smiled back.

“Guess it makes sense.” Yang quietly said.

“Huh? What do you mean?” Blake asked.

“Hm? Oh, n-nothing.” Yang stammered. Nora smiled and rolled her blue eyes. Oscar stayed in pace with them, always keeping his hand close to where The Long Memory was holstered. These days, he always had to expect a fight to erupt at any second.

Even somewhere as beautiful and tropical as this.

“Despite everything, this is an amazing place to live.” Nora commented.

“This is the one place all Faunus felt they could be safe, from Humans… after everything they had been through? They all just wanted to be left alone.” Blake explained.

“Well, you could always do worse than this.” Nora shrugged.

“We didn’t really have a choice. It was this… or nothing.” Blake explained. Nora looked at her as she spoke. “I remember what Sun once said to me when I took him here. He didn’t really understand most of it at first, but I remember him asking me why it always felt so cramped.”

“What did you tell him?” Oscar inquired.

When you try to take an entire species and fit them on an island, that’s two third’s desert, yeah it is cramped.” She sighed. “I wish I hadn’t been so snarky at him…”

“Blake… don’t do that to yourself.” Oscar said. She sighed.

“I dunno what else I can do… I just… always think about all the times I should have been more patient with him. Now… now I can’t even apologise for it.” Blake sadly said.

It was hard to find the words to help her, but Yang just stood close to her as they walked, and it comforted Blake. Slowly but surely, she was healing from what happened in the Atlesian Wildlands, as was Weiss. Seeing the real Yang and not the one that was unleashed by a side of her semblance she never knew was in there helped them see her for who she really was.

Ren stopped them as he walked, and they saw someone being thrown out of a bar. It was a Faunus, and he whimpered in pain, his head was bleeding. They saw the men who were attacking him, a pair of Feral Ones. They stormed over and beat the hell out of him. “That’s right! This is our town! And when we say we want something, we get it!” The Feral One yelled, spitting down at him.

He groaned in pain, and Blake just stood there, clenching her hand into a fist. “This was supposed to be a peaceful place.” She hissed, storming ahead. She didn’t care if people recognised her. She crouched down to the man and offered him a sip from her canteen. “I’m so sorry this happened.”

“Please… just go…” He sniffled, spitting out blood. “We can’t stop the Feral Ones now.”

Salem’s created something… even if we kill her and destroy her forces…

The Feral Ones won’t go away. This will be a problem whether we like it. So many Faunus who were abused by Humans now had all the power they needed to throw it back. I’ve seen it everywhere, humans being beaten up by Feral Ones for just walking past. And now the same thing is happening here, but against their own kind.

These kinds of people have become the very thing that they hated… I can’t let this keep happening after Salem’s gone.

I won’t.

This has to end.

The Feral Ones are a disgrace to the Faunus who who we really are.

The man got up and walked away, holding his bruised and aching side as he made his way back to wherever he came from. Blake stood tall and kept her head held low, then her friends caught up with her. She could still picture the path and she walked ahead, knowing that her home was right ahead. Yang stared wide eyed at the giant house, amazed by it – she always knew Ghira and Kali were wealthy and that Blake was kinda treated like a Princess for the White Fang, since her father used to be the High Leader… but to see it like that?

It was quite the sight.

“To think I thought she was just a quiet weirdo once.” Yang chuckled. Oscar stood beside her and turned.

“What do you mean?” He asked her.

“Back when I first met Blake? It was before we even had dorms. We slept on the floor. It was so uncomfortable. But… Ruby wanted to make friends. She and I didn’t really get along at first, but… she bonded to Ruby fast. They both liked books… to say I was surprised when we became friends would be a colossal understatement.” Yang chuckled.

“Just friends?” Oscar asked. Yang’s eyes widened, and she stared at him.

“I…” Yang gasped. Then she sighed, closing her eyes. “I messed up… as much as I wish that was possible… she deserves better than a monster like me.” She sighed, walking away from Oscar.

He lowered his head in grief for her.

“I hope in time… she will learn to forgive herself.” Ozpin said in the back of Oscar’s mind.

“Yeah, me too.” He agreed.

They all walked down the hill towards the Belladonna Estate, and Blake approached the huge mahogany door. She raised her hand to the door and went to knock the handle against it. But she hesitated. “Go on.” Weiss said.

“Is this a bad idea? I mean… they’ve mourned me.” Blake stated.

Yang smiled at her. “So did we… but seeing you again made things better. It will for them too, and the same for you.” Blake exhaled swiftly, then she swallowed her fear and grabbed the circular handle and slammed it against the door. Yang’s eyes widened, at just how loud that was. “Okay, if we’re being honest, that was kinda intimidating.” Yang giggled, which made Blake giggle, too.

The door opened, and they saw her.

Blake’s ears flicked up when she heard Kali gasp, and she looked at her. The aura she saw perfectly shaped her mother, but she looked so different. So tired… and her hair was longer than it was before, in a ponytail as well. She dropped her tray, and the tea set shattered on the floor. “… Blake?” Kali gasped.

It took so much for her to finally speak. “Hi… Mom…” Blake trembled. Kali stared at her, then she suddenly shot forward and wrapped her arms around her daughter. She broke down immediately, sobbing against her cheek. Blake was stiff, but she melted and cried into her shoulder. The two of them dropped to their knees as they cried together.

“My… baby girl… you… you’re alive!” She sobbed with joy.

“Kali? What’s wrong?” Ghira asked. He walked to the doors and he gasped. His amber eyes widened so wide, and he immediately rushed to his daughter and held her so tight he lifted her off the floor.

Blake laughed so hard she snorted, but still cried with joy as she held her father.

Yang smiled and wiped a tear from her eye.

Blake wasn’t the only person who needed that.

 

Ruby

 

Penny may have had a heart of gold, but she felt like she weighed a couple of tonnes. Carrying her inside was quite the burdensome task, but they got her onto the table where Pietro asked them to bring her. Cinder looked around with wide eyes, surprised that in the same pharmacy was all this high-tech equipment.

He had been preparing for this, the day he could get his little girl back. His mechanical chair swiftly moved him across the room and he quickly booted the machines up. There were so many huge hard drives in here, it was all very overwhelming.

“What is all this?” Ruby questioned – finally someone asked what this was.

“Your mutual friend – Dutch – he informed me you were bringing Penny back to me.” Pietro answered.

“Of course he did. Y’know I wish he would keep us informed.” Ruby grumbled with a frustrated face.

“I must admit, I was not expecting to see all of you here. It makes me glad. I’m glad she could be surrounded by trustworthy friends… especially you my dear.” He said with a kind smile on his face.

Ruby smiled. “You know, Penny told me all about you, Miss Rose. She spoke fondly about you… and well… I am thrilled to see you haven’t given up on her, my dear.”

“I never will.” Ruby choked up when she said those words.

Cinder coughed slightly in the corner. “So, Doc… you think you can get this thing out of her head? With all this?”

“I taught Watts everything he knows, but I know a thing or two that he does not. Penny’s consciousness is separate from her body, and that is what the virus attacks. It is not hardware, but software, so to speak. It is attached to her mind… so to free her… I am going to have to use this machine to delve into her consciousness and remove it. Like a tumour.” He explained as he quickly moved around.

“But… she’s offline right now.” Pyrrha said, that was where Pietro exhaled nervously.

“Yes… that is the scary part. We will have to relaunch her systems, but in doing so the virus will take full control again.” He stated. Cinder looked at the restraints, noticing they were where her arms and legs were.

“Those make sense now.” She sighed.

“I do not know if it will be enough to stop her… and I know she is armed with many weapons. The virus will fight back against us when I try to extract it.” He stated.

“We can’t destroy the virus, though. We can use it against our enemies. It carries information that will prove our innocence and condemn the Black Gallows and Salem’s minions for the murder of the U.G.R.” Ruby explained.

“Yes… Dutch mentioned that in his message, Robyn Hill’s idea, yes?” He asked out of curiosity.

“Nail on the head.” Pyrrha chuckled.

“Sounds like an idea of hers. I admire it… although I could do more with that virus too… I don’t know yet, I’ll have to study it.” Pietro explained.

They began strapping Penny down. Ruby paced back and forth, chewing her nails nervously as she looked at her girlfriend.

Please… I just want her to be free… I don’t want this goddamn virus in her head anymore…

Watts will pay for everything he has done to her…

Pietro connected the cable to his systems, and the screens came up, showing a successful connection to her consciousness, which was currently offline. But once they reactivated her, they had to be ready for anything.

“Everyone ready? This is going to be scary.” Ruby asked. Cinder nodded and stood her ground, clenching her hands into fists. Pyrrha stood firm too, then Pietro gently kissed the top of her head.

“C’mon baby girl…” He whispered. “You can do this.”

He found the switch in her head, exhaled… and turned it.

Her eyes suddenly shone red, immediately, and she screamed with rage, writhing like a while animal. “BURN THEM ALL! BURN THEM ALL!” Penny screamed viciously as the virus howled its only command. It was haunting to hear her voice screaming like that, but they stood their ground.

“Pietro? Have you got it?” Pyrrha called out.

“Not yet!” He answered, rooting through her consciousness. It was spiking violently with neurons, but deep within, he could see the imperfection of red in the blue. He just had to find the correct one and siphon it into his systems and secure it. Ruby was shaking now, not even trembling, just rattling.

“Come on, Penny…” she whimpered.

Pietro kept digging deeper, then Penny’s eyes narrowed, and she gritted her teeth. Suddenly, they saw a sword burst through the side of the chair and narrowly missed Pyrrha. She then grunted, hit in the chest by an incoming sword that blew her against the wall.

“I! MUST! COMPLETE! MY! MISSION!” Penny howled. Ruby ran up to her, then more swords came flying out. She drew Black Thorn and cut them down, protecting Pietro from the swords.

The virus was trying to free itself from what Pietro was trying to do. “Damn it, her temperature gauge is going critical!” Pietro called out.

“Oh, crap.” Ruby gasped, then suddenly her vents burst open, blasting out searing hot air into the entire room. Cinder grunted, throwing a constant gale of icy cold air right back at her, coughing violently as she tried to hold Penny’s onslaught back. As Cinder held her back, she turned and looked at the sword, and it was aimed towards the restraint.

“Oh, shit… RUBY!” she yelled. Ruby gasped and sprinted forward. She leapt on top of Penny, holding her down.

“Penny! Penny it’s me! It’s Ruby! Please look at me! Look at my eyes!” Ruby begged her. Penny stared back at her and for a moment her eyes flickered green, but the eyes kept turning back red. The Virus was constantly taking control, then she saw crackling green electricity bursting from her body.

Penny suddenly ripped her arm free from where the sword was cutting and her hand grabbed Ruby by the throat, tightly squeezing so hard it was crushing her windpipe. And then she blasted all the hot air from her vents directly into Ruby. Penny viciously gritted her teeth together, glaring at Ruby as she tried to kill her.

“Pietro! We’re out of time, get it out of her! Pietro! DO IT NOW!” Pyrrha yelled.

“I’m nearly there, I… SHIT! YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING!” He yelled. “The virus is attacking her core, it’s trying to end her before I can extract it!”

Ruby gasped for air as Penny choked her, constantly burning her aura away with the steam, but Ruby just pushed through the burning hot air. She opened her arms and just closed her eyes, wrapping her arms around Penny and burying her head in her shoulder.

Then she whispered, “I will always love you, Penny… and I won’t lose you again. Not again…” she whispered, barely able to get the words out.

Her eyes flickered green and Pietro saw the Virus’ hold weaken just enough.

“GOTCHA!” Pietro cheered, using his code breaker to latch onto the virus and Cinder turned to the huge hard drives as the virus became trapped inside of them. They turned red, but they were not connected to anything it could use.

It was a Virus Prison.

Penny strained then gasped, her eyes widened and the red flickered away completely. She groaned, and her green irises slowly closed and her body dropped down to the table again. Her hand released Ruby and she gasped for air again. Cinder ceased blasting icy cold air back at the hot gusts of wind that Penny created, and she immediately approached the two of them.

Ruby’s red aura burst and crumbled away, and she slumped forward, pressing her hand against the table. She had a couple of burns, but she glanced down at Penny, caressing her cheek. “Penny? Penny?” Ruby nervously stammered as she held her in her arms, cradling her over her knee.

“It worked… it’s out…” Pietro gasped in awe and Pyrrha smiled, glad to finally see that damned virus contained.

“Penny, please wake up… please don’t leave me… I love you so much…” Ruby cried.

She looked down at Penny, and then… finally… her eyes slowly opened, revealing those perfect emerald irises within. “R-Ruby?” She stammered.

Cinder smiled… glad to see someone was having a happy day.

Ruby laughed with joy, lovingly kissing her on the lips and hugging her.

“Am… am I okay now?” Penny asked nervously.

“Yeah… we got it out of you, Penny. It’s over… it’s gone.” Ruby promised. Penny turned and saw her dad, who smiled happily.

“Hey sweetpea…” He tearfully said, Penny smiled happily at her father, then back at Ruby as she pressed her head against hers.

Finally…

… Penny was free.

Chapter 28: The Stars...

Chapter Text

Killian

 

His head was in his hands, and sweat was leaking from his skin.

He looked sick, pale skinned and heavy bags under his eyes. He had become used to a lack of sleep because of his line of work, but this was new. He was literally getting zero hours of sleep every single night. He felt like he was losing his mind. And in front of him was the reason – a confirmed report from one of their Spies in Vacuo.

Identification Confirmed – Terra Cotta-Arc

He knew for certain she was not just caught up in this whole thing now; she was actively involved. She was trying to take him down with Robyn and Eryka’s help. His heart was pounding, and his mind was filled with fearful thoughts.

What do I do? She’s my sister… I… damn it…

I don’t know what to do…

He pressed his hands against his temples, then he suddenly let out a roar of rage, grabbing his glass and throwing it against the wall. It shattered into many sharp shards, clattering on the floor. He paced back and forth… then heard his sinister laugh. He stopped and his onyx eyes widened, turning to see the holographic live feed of Arthur Watts. He had his arms behind his back as he stood there, looking directly at him.

“The hell do you want?” Killian questioned.

“I need to know what you intend on doing, my dear friend. You heard what the Spy informed us of. Terra Cotta is working against you. Helping the very people who intend to bring about our downfall.” Watts explained.

“Don’t… don’t you dare…” Killian snarled.

“Have you forgotten what happened the last time you attempted to get the job done bloodlessly?” Watts inquired.

“This is my fucking sister. I will not murder her.” Killian growled, Watts sighed and rolled his eyes.

Foster Sister. She is not your blood. But she will help reveal the truth to the world, of what we did to the U.G.R. Now, of course, we can easily quell such an uprising that will be caused, but by killing her, you will save millions more. Is her life truly worth all theirs?” Watts inquired.

“Oh… forgive me for not being such a heartless bastard that won’t murder the people he loves!” Killian argued.

“Heartless? Come now… you presided over the deaths of thousands. Children included… don’t talk to me about being heartless. We do what we have to do to ensure the survival of Remnant. The people don’t have to like it, but they do have to accept it. You have the chance here to stop so many needless deaths, but sacrificing one.” Watts explained.

Killian pressed his hands against the table and bowed his head. “She made her choices, she’s a grown woman. She knew the risks when she joined Robyn Hill on her suicidal mission.”

Killian tensed his hands, then the hologram of Watts stood beside his shoulder. “Of course… you must understand, I am offering you the kindest end for her. Because if you don’t do this… I will send Tyrian. And we all know what he likes to do to his victims.” Watts threatened. Smirking sinisterly, Killian glared at him, gritting his teeth.

“You’ve got some nerve. To threaten me… but lacking the bravery to do it in person?” Killian snarled.

“This was no threat – but simply the truth. Make your choice, Killian. You either kill her quickly, or Tyrian slaughters her. The choice is all yours.” Watts stated as he walked away. But his hologram stopped before leaving. “Oh… and Killian?”

“What?” He barked.

“A brief word of advice. Do not trust your friend, Dutch.” He warned. Killian raised his brow.

“The hell do you mean?” Killian questioned.

“I know you’re growing suspicious of where his loyalties lie. I’ve read your reports, and he is constantly questioning your decisions. And always vanishing for hours on end. I think it would be wise to wonder if maybe the rat could be a lot closer to home than you realise. I may be wrong… but I may not be. Keep a watchful eye on him…” Watts informed, before his hologram disappeared.

He left Killian alone in his office once more. He tensed and closed his hands into fists, staring at the photograph of Terra again.

What do I do?

I can’t let Tyrian hurt her…

And she won’t listen to me…

Damn it… I’ve set this course… I have to see it through… somehow…

 

Ruby

 

Free… she was finally free…

Penny was still quite exhausted from the entire ordeal, but… she was finally free from the Black Queen virus. She could not feel the sickness within her anymore. Ruby still held her close, cradling her gently in her arms, whilst Cinder was sitting down nearby. Her mind still lingered on the Noctis Putrida, which was rotting her away from the inside. She breathed in and out slowly, hiding how much of struggle it was becoming to simply breathe these days.

Pyrrha had stood up beside Pietro, seeing what he could uncover from the data caches stored in the Black Queen Virus. Ruby gently stroked Penny’s hair as they sat together. Penny smiled, feeling like she was at home in Ruby’s arms. “How do you feel?” Ruby asked her.

“Um… strange… like a part of me is gone.” Penny admitted. Pietro chuckled. His chair turned to face her. He had been worrying about her for about twenty minutes straight. He finally calmed down after Pyrrha reminded him about the Black Queen on the hard drives.

“Don’t worry sweetheart, that’s an expected feeling to have. It was like removing a parasite from you. Many people who suffer from experiences like that say the same thing. The Black Queen had been in your systems for so long that you became used to it being there.” Pietro explained. “But it will pass, I promise.”

Penny smiled as she warmly leant against Ruby. “And he can’t do it again?” Ruby asked.

“No, he created a back door in her systems, but by ripping the virus out, we essentially caused his system to collapse. He won’t be able to hurt her again.” Pietro assured, his certainty brought them both relief. End of the day, he was one of the greatest minds in all of Remnant. Ruby gently kissed her cheek, pressing her cheek close to hers, which made Penny relax.

Pietro’s heart warmed to see Penny with someone she loved unconditionally. He’d always have time for Ruby. He heard so many excited stories from Penny about her back when she went to Beacon. Always describing her like some kind of angel who just fell from the heavens and wanted to be her friend. Ruby made her smile constantly, gave her experiences nobody else could ever hope to give her.

He would never forget that.

He turned back to his computers, examining the Black Queen Virus, finding so many defences in there, but his hardware and software were perfectly designed, countering every attack the virus made and keeping it from escaping into any other networks. It was essentially a prison for Viruses., there was no escaping for it. He kept on picking it to pieces with his different programs.

“So, can we actually get the actual footage from that night? From this version of the Virus?” Pyrrha asked.

“It sounds strange, I know. But… yes, precisely. I will give it to Arthur. It may be designed for cruel… but I am kinda proud. This is by far the most impressive and advanced Offensive Virus I have ever seen. As his teacher, I am impressed he created such a weapon. I just wished he could have used his talents for better efforts… he was always obsessed with Weapon Development. No wonder Ironwood took a shine to his efforts.” He sighed.

“The General?” Pyrrha asked.

“That’s right, for a while he worked for him. Helped design the Paladins, many weapons. It all ended when he came up with something new. One of my other inventions was the original version of Grave Dust. Back then I was engineering it to be used for hospitals, able to stabilise even the worst injuries in seconds. But he stole it from me and reverse engineered it to make it become a weapon. That was when he went into hiding after the Black Gallows came after him.” Pietro explained.

And in that same moment, that was the day when Killian had been infected by the Grave Dust.

“I guess this must feel like some kind of divine payback, huh? Reverse Engineering his own virus to work against him.” Pyrrha assumed.

“Yes… you could say that.” He chuckled.

He continued to mine through all the data it had consumed. “Back to what I was saying though – the way this thing works is kinda like a hivemind. There are many programmes, but they are all linked. Similar to how Penny’s original swords worked, they all communicate with one another. Its firewalls are extremely advanced, and it deletes individual programmes from its host before it can be extracted. As you saw, it tried to do that when we attempted to extract it from Penny, which would have killed her. But we have it and my hard drives are preventing its self deletion, allowing me to edit it at my leisure. And due to it all being linked, all you need is to access a single programme, and you can change all of them at once.” Pietro explained.

“It’s amazing nobody else has got their hands on it before now.” Pyrrha scoffed.

“Like I said, I’m the only person with the hardware, software and knowledge to combat his creations. I taught him.” Pietro stated. Pyrrha looked at the hard drives and she could feel the heat coming off them. Despite being trapped, it was still giving the drives some hell.

“It won’t kill your systems, will it?” She asked.

“Eventually, yes, but I’ve designed these to withstand its efforts. Once I have it under my control, it will stop trying to attack them.” Pietro stated. Cinder stood up and approached.

“I remember seeing how it worked back when I was a kid. It dumps heaps of garbage data into systems, doesn’t it? Causes them to overload?” Cinder asked.

“Precisely. A genius yet simple method of killing machines. The garbage data shuts the defences down, so to speak, and allows the virus to take control. Luckily for me, it has nothing to control, just walls upon walls of defences. It will take it a full day to crack through my firewalls.” He chuckled with a smile. “I’ll only need a few more minutes to crack through.”

Cinder coughed again, feeling her lungs and throat burning. She turned away as she coughed, but luckily, it was not another attack. Not like the one she had in the street.. Some blood landed on her hand, but she wiped it down her trouser leg to hide it. “You okay?” Pyrrha asked. She didn’t see the blood, but the cough alone was enough for the kind Pyrrha Nikos to be concerned.

“Ah, I’m fine don’t worry about it.” Cinder assured.

“Are you sure? I mean, do you want a drink? It’s been a long road to get here.” Pyrrha asked.

“I said don’t worry about it.” Cinder snapped back, which made Pyrrha stop, and she got silent. Cinder saw the look that Pietro was giving her, and she sighed. “Sorry.”

“It’s alright.” Pyrrha assured.

Pietro turned back to the screen, and he gasped, clapping his hands together. “Ha! Gotcha! You nasty piece of work!” Pietro cheered, which made both Ruby and Penny come back to reality.

“Wow, that was quicker than I was expecting.” Ruby chuckled.

“They didn’t call me Foxy Pietro for nothing!” Pietro laughed.

Foxy Pietro?” Cinder commented.

“Hey now, I may be old but I still got my looks.” He chuckled, making the ladies laugh. “Now then… let’s see what’s hiding here.”

He sifting through all the data, and their eyes widened. “How long has he been using this for?” Penny gasped.

“Far too long…” Pietro answered. He went through the dates and found the exact day the massacre happened. This was the largest… and most disturbing… of all the files that he found. Because there were just… so many files of footage stores here, of people being murdered during the Inhumane Necessity. Even footage of children being killed, all of this footage was hidden from the world, so then the Children of Salem could write whatever fiction they wanted to convince the people.

But he found it, the footage from the Foundations of Sovereignty.

And he started playing the footage.

“The punishment for this criminal’s actions will be carried out by the morn. Treason will always be punished accordingly, and this man was responsible for the deaths of so many children. He will pay for what he has done.” Said Vance Ackerman.

Killian… was laughing… almost maniacally.

He laughed as he threw his head back, wiping a tear from his eye as he stood before them. “Well… looks like he finally lost it.” Edward chuckled.

“Took him longer than I thought it would.” Iso shrugged his shoulders, hardly even interested in the ordeal.

“You know… for a damn long time… I thought that I was on the right side. That, helping you, the Government? That all of you genuinely wanted what was best for Remnant – but everything that has happened? It’s just dawned on me… just how much of a damn fool I was.” Killian laughed, staring at the Councillors who stared back at him.

“What are you talking about, sir?” Vance questioned as he stared at him.

“You… ALL OF YOU!” He roared, gesturing to every single person in the room. “You all sit up here on your safe floating island… this so-called safe haven… looking down on the world as it suffers the problems you don’t even have to worry about. I have seen things… done things… for the people of Remnant that you could never imagine. All for the fools who stand before you, blaming me for their own actions!” He laughed, pointing at them.

Killian looked at them all and he sighed. “Do you know what I am really on trial for? I am on trial for being a fool.” He chuckled.

No sir, you are on trial for treason, nothing more than that.” Iso reminded.

“Oh… yes I am… I have never realised how much of a fool I am until this moment! Every single person you have commanded me to kill, or arrest, every dark deed I have been forced to carry out? I did it all for you! Did it for the people of Remnant, Humanity and Faunuskind alike! Because I wanted to make sure you could all live… in harmony. Without ever having to see the terrifying things that lurk out there in the darkness.” Killian explained to them all. “And here I stand… on trial… for protecting you all. And all of you… stare at me… insult me… for saving you.” He laughed.

He turned and stared back at the Councillors. “Yes… I carried out my actions at Beacon four years ago… I shan’t deny it. But do not pretend to act like you were not the ones who ordered me to do it in the first place.” Killian snarled, and Watts smirked, genuinely proud to see Killian let out his dark side at long last.

“Your impotence will be your undoing, Killian.” Jacques warned.

“Ha… ain’t that the truth… I’m afraid I have been undone for quite a long time.” Killian laughed. “And yet… I have never seen things more clearly than I do right now.” He said.

His eyes glanced at the corner.

Killian stared back at the Councillors.

“You see… the thing is, dear Councillors of the Unified Governments of Remnant?” He spoke as he stood before them all. “This whole thing? This hasn’t been my trial… not really.” His eyes hardened, and he scowled. “It’s yours.”

Suddenly the lights flashed red, and the enormous screen behind them crackled and the chillingly familiar Black Queen symbol that infected the C.C.T Network four years ago reappeared before them. They turned around and gasped when the Atlesian Knights all flashed red and aimed their guns at everyone… except for the five people who were behind this attack, alongside the Black Gallows soldiers who barred up the doors into this room.

Walking through the crowd was Watts, who slowly clapped his hands as he emerged, deactivating the restraints that held Killian where he was standing. He patted him on the shoulder. “Well played, Killian, well played. Haven’t watched a show that good in a damn long time.” Watts chuckled, and Willow’s eyes widened in the crowd.

Jacques stared at them with shocked eyes as well. “Arthur…” Jacques gasped, staring at him as he stood in the centre of the room. Tyrian threw off the cloak, giggling as he extended the Queen’s Servants. Hazel revealed himself. Like Frankenstein’s Monster, he towered above them all, forged from the parts of dead warriors. Adam also emerged with Wilt and Blush drawn, staring at all the Humans in here, an insane look present in his eyes.

“Your arrogance is so predictable…” Watts said as he stared at the Councillors. “Your defences were child’s play. You never thought that someone could just walk in here with two serial killers and a beast… so you didn’t even bother to upgrade your security systems after my death? So you just took my dear friend Nathan here, brought him right into your caught, which brought us directly to the source of Remnant’s so-called leadership?” Watts laughed as the Grave Dust swirled around his palm.

“Oh, the poetry of it all… how arrogance can topple even the mightiest of giants.” Watts stated, walking forward.

Watts stared at the Councillors, smirking underneath his moustache. “Ah… Brother in Law… it has been a very long time, hasn’t it?” He asked him, before turning to Willow Schnee. “And my sweet Sister… my, my, this is like a cliché family reunion.” Watts laughed as he walked around the room.

“What the hell are you doing here, Arthur?” Jacques questioned.

“Oh, me?” Watts asked, as he held his hands to his chest with a chuckle. “Oh, I am here to offer you a chance… one chance… no more. I was never one for second chances, after all.”

“The hell does that mean?” Jacques questioned, staring the Doctor down.

“You see… you and my sister? You robbed me of what belonged to me. Just as you have robbed the fine folk of Remnant with your Dust Trade… time and time again… cruelly treating the Faunus like second-class citizens… or even worse… like slaves.” Watts explained.

“You have a criminal’s grasp at sophistry, Arthur, I’ve done no such thing.” Jacques weakly defended himself.

“You kill, I kill. You rob, I rob.” Watts gestured towards him. “The only difference between us, Jacques, is that I have the decency to choose whom I kill and rob, whereas you destroy everything in your path. I guess that makes you a perfect fit for a Councillor of the Unified Governments of Remnant.” Watts chuckled as he stared him down.

“I’ve heard just about enough.” Jacques snarled.

“Tell you what? How about this? You give me what is rightfully mine – the Heirdom to the Schnee Dust Company and you have a taste of life on the streets? I’ll let you live.” Watts shrugged his shoulders. The Councillors – bar Alyx Tanner – laughed at his demands.

“I’ll do no such thing!” Jacques laughed.

“You sure?” Watts grinned. “Good… that’s good… I prefer it this way.” Watts replied. He swiftly drew his Ornate Revolver and fired it straight into Jacques’ gut. Blood splattered up his white suit, and he stumbled to his knees.

Gunfire roared, and he turned to the Children of Salem. “This is it, Brothers! Get your blades, get your fists out, get your guns! It’s time… kill them all.” Watts scowled at them and Tyrian laughed maniacally as he threw himself into the defenceless crowd, slashing into their screaming bodies.

Killian stood tall…

… and he smirked.

Pietro ended the recording there. All of them were silent in horror. They knew that the Children of Salem were responsible, but to actually see the event? The evidence to back it up? It was nothing short of horrifying. There was more footage, but they saw what they needed to see. “That… that’s gotta be enough, right? It incriminates all of them.” Ruby asked.

“Oh, it will definitely be enough.” Pietro assured. “Damn it, Arthur…” He sighed, filled with disappointment and shame for his former student.

“Are you okay?” Penny softly asked, touching her dad’s hand.

“Yes… I just… wish he could have done better things. He could have done such great things with his intellect. Instead, he used it to commit one of the worst atrocities in the history of Remnant.” He sighed, Ruby paced around the room.

“So we can use that against them… it could turn people against Salem. Against the Black Gallows.” Ruby explained.

“Civilians won’t stand a chance against them, Ruby. It may be best to hold this back until we know how to kill the bitch.” Cinder stated.

“Yeah, I know, but… it’s a start?” Ruby said.

“Yeah… it’s a start. But we still have the Black Gallows to worry about.” Cinder sighed, Pietro’s eyes lit up with inspiration.

“Maybe not…” He spoke up.

“Hmm?” Penny responded.

“I can do more than just unlock its files… I have already taken control of the Virus, I can  make it do whatever I want. I can even modify it.” Pietro started rambling.

“What are you talking about, Professor?” Pyrrha asked.

“The Black Gallows’ strength is that their technology is far more advanced than any other Kingdom’s, and their systems are protected by an uncrackable mainframe that nobody can pierce. Designed by none other than Arthur Watts.” Pietro explained.

“Okay…” Pyrrha replied as she followed him as he walked around the room tweaking the computers.

“I can reverse engineer this virus to turn it into essentially a nuclear weapon. Everything the Black Gallows uses is connected to that network. From weapons to armour, to vehicles and even their facilities. We can upload the virus into their mainframe and it will tear their network apart, destroying everything connected to it. It will literally destroy the Black Gallows in one fell swoop. We can turn their ultimate defence into the cause of their destruction. Because by the time they realise the Virus is uploaded into their mainframe, they won’t be able to break through it in time to stop it.” Pietro explained. Their eyes were wide with disbelief.

Pietro pressed his hands against his table. “I’ve never had the means of being able to design such a weapon to take them down before. I have tried, but nothing ever worked. But this virus is more advanced than any I have seen, and is designed by the same man. I can use it to examine their mainframe and find the weaknesses for it to get in.”

“Where is the Mainframe?” Cinder asked.

“The Shadow of Broken Promises.” He answered.

“Killian’s Flagship?” Ruby gasped.

“That’s right. I have wanted to take those bastards down ever since the Inhumane Necessity, and I have studied their systems. Everything points back to that ship. All this time people have been searching for a secret base, they’ve been looking in the wrong place. It’s been in the sky the whole time.” Pietro explained.

“Heh… that’s why Killian had us imprisoned in it. The Ship is a Prison Ship.” Ruby realised.

“Precisely.” Pietro answered. “If someone uploads the virus into the ship, it will attack their systems, destroying their entire fleet, destroying their weapons and armour… it will literally wipe them out. The only downside here is… it will also erase all their data stored on the network. All their technological advancements will be lost, and any further evidence will be taken with it. I can save this footage, but everything else will be gone. Alongside this virus.”

“So it’s a Kill Switch?” Cinder asked.

“Basically… many people will die, no question. Black Gallows personnel, soldiers… anyone connected to the network in major ways, like extreme cybernetics or androids. All will be killed.” He stated, Ruby sighed.

“There’re always consequences…” Ruby sighed. “But the Black Gallows must be destroyed. We can’t allow them to continue oppressing people after Salem is dead.”

She looked at Pietro and nodded. “Do it.”

“When I have finished repurposing the Black Queen, I will deliver it personally to Robyn Hill.” Pietro assured.

“How will you find her?” Cinder asked.

“Worry not, Miss Fall. I have my ways.” He winked. They turned when they heard a Black Gallows Spokesperson down the street calling for the execution of two Huntresses. It just proved to their point that they had to be destroyed.

“We can’t stay here any longer. I don’t want to risk them finding you.” Ruby said to him. He smiled and nodded his head.

“I understand.” He assured, then turned to Penny. “Be careful sweetpea…” He gently hugged her.

“We’ll see each other again real soon. I promise.” Penny said with a smile.

As they left, Pietro stopped Cinder from leaving at the end. He looked up at her and whispered. “You’ll need to tell them soon, Cinder… while you still can.” Pietro informed Cinder said nothing, she just nodded and walked out of his pharmacy.

He cleared his throat, then began working on his lethal weapon.

A weapon that could end the Black Gallows once and for all.

As they pulled up their hoods and departed from his pharmacy, Pyrrha looked at them all. “Look… we need to get out of Vale and find a secluded place.” Pyrrha explained.

“What do you mean?” Penny inquired.

“We need to ask Jinn a question. An important one.” Pyrrha informed.

“What question?” Ruby asked.

Pyrrha looked at her.

“The same one Watts asked her – How do we kill Salem?”

 

Blake

 

It had been so long since she felt the comforts of home, to where it actually felt strange to be here.

The smells were just like she remembered and she could even hear the wind chimes in the garden outside that she loved so dearly. But she could simply feel Yang’s anxiety from the mere sound of those things. Ghira’s voice was always such a welcome sound. And Kali’s voice always calmed her. “We have missed you so much sweetheart… I… I’m so sorry about your eyes.” Ghira gently said to Blake, holding her hand.

“Yeah… you can blame Adam for that… it happened when Beacon was destroyed.” Blake explained. “Weiss was the reason I got out of there.”

Ghira and Kali turned to Weiss. Kali, without question, just hugged Weiss. The Former Heiress yelped, blue eyes wide as she squeezed her tight. “Thank you… thank you so much.” Kali struggled to find the words and sounded like she was on the brink of crying again.

“I-It’s okay…” Weiss struggled, barely able to breathe through Kali’s intense hug.

“Ha-Ha-Ha!” Ghira guffawed, his booming laugh always made Blake giggle. “And I thought I was the one who gave the tightest hugs!”

Kali released her and Weiss could finally breathe again. “Truly… thank you…” Kali said again.

“She’s family to me… I could never leave her.” Weiss smiled at Blake.

“And Sun?” Ghira asked her. Blake just lowered her head with grief.

“He…”

“No…” Ghira sighed. “I was finally starting to like him too.”

“He died protecting me from Adam… I didn’t see it happen, but…” Blake couldn’t keep going, and her parents did not want her to. It was a painful memory to go through again.

“It was a bad day.” Weiss agreed. “I lost my boyfriend that night too.”

“I’m so sorry, Weiss… and for your family, too. I heard they lost their lives that night too.” Kali sweetly said, but she shook her head.

“You don’t have to be. I’m not blind to what the Schnee Dust Company has done to the Faunus. What my father did…” Weiss explained, her hands rested upon her knees. “I know it sounds cold, but I haven’t really thought about them. I think about my mom sometimes… and Whitley, but… I didn’t have enough positive memories of either to mourn over.”

Kali gently squeezed her shoulder. “It’s good to see you too, Yang. It’s been a very long time.” Ghira chuckled.

“Yeah, damn long time.” Yang chuckled.

“The same goes for you two.” He said as he looked at Ren and Nora. Then Kali’s eyes lit up.

“Are you expecting?” She asked.

“Yep…” Nora sweetly confirmed as Ren gently caressed her slight bump.

“And forgive me, but I don’t believe we’ve met.” Ghira said to Oscar, which made him chuckle.

“No forgiveness necessary. I’m Oscar Pine, I met your daughter and her friends six years ago.” Oscar answered.

“He was one of the people who saved us and looked after us for the past six years. Kept me alive after I lost my eyes. Him, Vernal… a little girl called Amber – and Cinder Fall.” Ghira nearly choked on his tea when she said that.

“I’m sorry, what?” He gasped.

“I know, it’s crazy to imagine, but… she really has changed. She saved us when an abductor was chasing us and took the two of us in. She nearly didn’t, but changed her mind. We helped maintain a farm she bought… it was a pleasant life.” Blake explained with a smile.

“I guess some people can change.” Kali chuckled.

“Not all though… Adam showed up a few months ago and was the reason we went on the run. He’s… really lost his mind. Worse than before.” Blake explained, which was shocking to imagine.

“If I ever see that bastard… I’ll rip him apart.” Ghira growled with fury.

“Spare some for your wife.” Kali agreed, which surprised Blake. Normally, Kali was always so calm. “He hurt my baby girl.”

“It’s been a long road, but despite everything that’s happened… we’re still kicking.” Yang shrugged with a smile.

The conversation was cut short when they heard a heavy knock on the door. They all turned, and Ghira stood up with a slight grumble. Blake hadn’t even noticed his age showing, but the others had noticed his greying hair. Yet despite that, he still looked exactly how he did six years ago.

Yet Kali looked no different.

It was like she reached the age of twenty-five and stopped ageing there.

He opened the door and saw one of the Menagerie Guards stood there, Sabyr by the looks of him. He was a Beaver Faunus who had a small mohawk, scars on his face and sharp incisor teeth. “Apologies, Chieftain Belladonna. It’s happened again.”

“Another?” He sighed.

“The Feral Ones.” He said. Blake turned her head swiftly the second she heard the name.

“Hold on, honey…” Kali stopped her from going any further.

“The Feral Ones? What are they doing here? We saw them beating someone up in the street.” Blake asked.

“They… like to make examples out of people. They seem to worship Salem like some kind of goddess. They’ve murdered and strung up people who disagree with them. In horrible ways…” Kali explained.

She felt sick to imagine such violence here in Menagerie… this place was supposed to be peaceful.

“Please… cut the body down and cover it up. Find the man’s family and inform them so they can give him a proper burial.” Ghira said, and Sabyr nodded his head. Ghira closed the door and pinched his brow.

“Feral Bastards…” Ghira growled.

“Dad?” Blake asked, but he just sat down, rubbing his tired eyes.

“It’s happening more and more…”

“Mom told me… how often is this happening?” She asked.

“It used to be every few weeks. Now it’s happening every day. And that man they killed was a great man, always cared for people. Gave to the homeless, was so generous. And they killed him for that kindness, because it isn’t what they want him to do.” Ghira explained, shaking his head. “Salem is just an excuse for them now.”

“We have to stop this.” Blake said.

“You don’t think I’ve tried?” Ghira asked, then he calmed himself down. “I’m sorry… I mean… we have tried. We tried fighting them but they just kept on coming, more and more. There are so many on Menagerie now that they are gaining more power than I have. And I’m the Chieftain of Menagerie.” He explained.

“What about Sienna Khan?” Oscar asked.

“Sienna Khan?” He asked him.

“Well… I guess it’s prime time we get to the reason we came here.” Oscar began. “We’re planning to kill Salem. We already have a team out there trying to recruit reinforcements elsewhere. Another is actively trying to retrieve the Relic of Creation and keep it out of Salem’s hands. We’re here trying to find Sienna Khan and what remains of the White Fang.” Oscar explained. “We need help. We won’t be able to kill Salem and the Black Gallows, especially with the Feral Ones on their side.”

“Then I’m afraid it was a wasted journey. The White Fang is gone.” Ghira answered.

“We know the Feral Ones decimated the Fang, but Sienna has gotta still be out there. We heard she was here in Menagerie.” Blake explained.

“She is, and I know where she is. But believe me, it’s a waste of time. She has no White Fang anymore. Ilia left, and so did the rest of her forces. She lives alone in the desert, and kills anyone who even dares get close to where she lives.” Ghira explained.

“It’s true… even I tried to see her, but she took a shot at me. Most likely a warning shot, but she still fired. She just wants to be left alone.” Kali stated, looking saddened by that truth.

“We came all this way… we can’t just give up?” Oscar asked.

“What about Ilia? She’d never join the Feral Ones. She loved the White Fang with all her heart.” Blake asked.

“She lives here in Menagerie. I’ve spoken to her many times. I can call her to come by tomorrow, if you like. Hell, she’d be happy to see you.” Ghira said as he smiled. “But like I said… the White Fang is no more.” Ghira stated.

“There have to be people who want to fight back. The Feral Ones are a disgrace to the Faunus. Salem has turned our people into monsters… if Sienna is out there… if we can get to her and convince her… maybe she can give people the courage to return.” Blake suggested.

“It’s risky. It’s been six years. That’s a long time.” Ghira stated.

“It’s less risky than going after Salem without some kind of backup.” Blake added.

Ghira nodded, then turned to the setting sun. “It’s getting late. How about you all stay for the night? I can call Ilia in the morning.” Ghira said, and Blake smiled, nodding her head.

Please Sienna…

… we need you…

… now more than ever.

 

Dutch

 

The Black Gallows Airship soared across the deserts of Vacuo. Their spies noticed their targets arriving pretty much immediately.

Dutch had no idea that he was not the only one headed for Vacuo, and that Killian was not very far behind him.

He was sitting inside the Wasp with his rifle on his lap, cleaning the grime off it. It was always one of the most important jobs a soldier could have.

Keep your gun clean. If it jams up, you’re a dead man.

It was a simple but effective rule, plus Dutch had seen that mistake kill far too many soldiers. One time he saw a soldier who couldn’t get the lever to move on his gun, and he stood up for a second to get it in the light, and a bullet blew the side of his head open. With Dutch were the Ace Ops, all of them preparing for the mission.

Marrow always looked nervous about… well… pretty much everything. He couldn’t blame him after all. He was only a kid when all of this happened. He didn’t want to die, so he joined the Black Gallows. Who could blame him?

Hopefully, he can work up the courage to do the right thing, eventually.

He glanced subtly at Clover, who had his hands held together and his eyes closed, tapping his foot against the metal floor. Dutch saw that Clover’s mental state was like most Stockholm Troopers, in a severe condition due to what he went through after being captured by the Black Gallows.

Elm groaned, rolling her eyes. “Dude, will you cut it out? That tapping is driving me nuts.”

Clover looked like he was about to explode, but Dutch spoke up before he would try to fight her. “He’s claustrophobic. Prolonged time in the Black Cells tends to do that to people.” He bluntly answered. Now Clover’s ire was directed towards him and he swiftly stood up and glared down at him.

“Wanna rethink that?” Clover barked, but Dutch just calmly stared right back. Clover was a madman, no question – but he wasn’t always. He used to be a very nice guy, nauseatingly loyal to the bone, but he wasn’t bad. That was what Black Cells did to people. It corrupted them, that long in total darkness and silence? It drove some people mad – but it was never about rehabilitating people. The process was about inducing a form of Stockholm Syndrome, where they would see the Black Gallows are their family, or at the very least, become completely loyal to them.

Clover already had the personality of someone who would become loyal to a cause, so cementing that was easy.

Killian didn’t need him to be sane, just another soldier.

Dutch hated the practice. It was morally wrong in so many ways, but he had to play the part like always. So he said only words to get Clover to back down. “Step back.”

Clover growled, but he backed off. That loyal dog personality was always still there, no matter how savage the Black Cell turned him into. He sat down and continued to tap his foot up and down, and Elm just learned to live with it.

He continued to clean his rifle, turning when he heard the soft conversation beside him, between Vine and Marrow. He noticed Harriet never really spoke to anybody. Elm was essentially in the middle. She was nice to Marrow, but her loyalty to the Gallows was pretty obvious.

He couldn’t help but wonder which sides they would pick if the Black Gallows falls.

Clover and Harriet would definitely fall with it. Marrow would hopefully turn against it. Elm could be persuaded. She wasn’t a fool and would most likely know that fighting for a sinking ship would be a stupid idea.

But Vine… he was the one person he just couldn’t figure out.

He always said that he served Remnant, not the Black Gallows. So perhaps that when push comes to shove, he would turn on the Black Gallows if he saw them being detrimental to the survival of Remnant and its people.

He listened in on the conversation between Marrow and Vine.

“How are you feeling?” Vine inquired.

“Nervous, I’ll admit. I always feel nervous before a mission.” He admitted, Elm chuckled.

“Oh, that feeling never goes away kiddo.” Elm assured.

“Even for you?” He asked.

“Oh yeah, absolutely. You never know how the mission is gonna go until it starts. It’s always that wait before that’s the worst. Once I’m in there though? It’s all simple, just get the job done.” Elm explained, shrugging her shoulders with a smile. Elm turned to Dutch. “You feel me?”

“Nail on the head.” He agreed.

“What about you, Harriet?” Marrow curiously asked.

“Eh.” Harriet shrugged, as conversational as ever. “I guess, I dunno I always just prefer to focus on the job at hand.”

Clover didn’t even join in with the conversation – fitting, to be honest. “The thing is, the job isn’t your life. Remember that, you don’t want the fight to be all there is in your life.” Vine said to Marrow.

Harriet lifted her head when he said that. “Where the hell do your loyalties lie, Vine?” She questioned. He turned and stared at her.

“The fact you doubt my loyalties based on excellent advice says a lot, Harriet.” Vine chuckled. “And you know where my loyalties lie – I serve Remnant and its people.”

There it is.

He always says that…

Never that he is loyal to the Black Gallows or Salem…

… just Remnant and its People.

“He’s right.” Dutch spoke up. “And the Black Gallows protect the people. That should be what all of us should be loyal to.” Dutch explained, which got Vine’s attention.

That shut Harriet up, and he just patted Marrow on the shoulder. “Ace Ops, we’re coming in for a landing.” The pilot informed. The Wasp descended and landed upon the pad in the City of Vacuo. They all stood up and exited the vehicle, but as Dutch walked out, Vine stopped him.

“Yes, Vine?” Dutch asked.

“Far be it from me for questioning you, sir – but I know a lie when I hear one.” Vine stated Dutch knew what he was on about, but felt it would safer to be cautious.

“I’m sorry?” Dutch asked.

“What you said about the Black Gallows… I think you and I both know what you said is not true.” Vine stated.

Well, well… maybe he’s the most trustworthy of the lot…

… but the others are there… so I’ll stick to my persona for now…

“I guess it depends on your point of view.” Dutch answered. He could tell Vine was examining everything he said and most likely could tell he was covering for something. Yet Vine did not disclose it to the others. Instead, he said this.

“I don’t want those who still have a chance of living to die.” He said, looking at both Elm and Marrow.

More Marrow than Elm.

“And neither do you.” Vine concluded, walking past him. Dutch stood there and exhaled, holstering his rifle onto the back of his armour and following them.

Things aren’t gonna be the same after this…

… when we find Robyn… my cover will be blown.

Because I will not betray her.

I just can’t help but wonder who will be by my side when I reveal myself.

 

Blake

 

Midnight in Menagerie…

… it was always such a gorgeous sight to behold. Infinite stars seemed to just stretch across the sky. Blake laid on the grass of her garden, and despite being blind, she still instinctively stared up at the sky. She exhaled, enjoying the sensation of the cool air against her skin. Then she heard footsteps nervously approaching.

“You can’t sneak up on me, Yang.” Blake reminded, then she heard her laugh.

“How d’you know it was me?” Yang gasped.

“Well… stealth was hardly ever your forte.” Blake teased.

“True that.” Yang agreed. She looked up at the stunning sky, then down at the equally stunning Blake Belladonna. “Wanna have some company?”

“Sure. Couldn’t sleep, anyway. I just… can’t stop thinking.” She sighed.

“I guess some things never change.” Yang chuckled, which made Blake laugh too.

“Also true.” Blake laughed.

“Gods… it’s beautiful out here.” Yang said as she stared up at the sky.

“Yeah… as a kid, I always liked to come out here to look at the stars. One time, when I took Sun here to see my parents, we stargazed together.” Blake began. Yang looked at her as she spoke. “He didn’t know the first thing about stars, the dork. But… he still loved hearing me talk about them. The constellations.” Blake explained.

Yang smiled, and she looked at the stars, too. “I wish I could see them.” She sighed.

“Well… I don’t know much about stars.” Yang shrugged as she rested her arms behind her head. Blake looked at Yang.

“Do you… wanna?” Blake asked, and Yang smiled.

“Hell yeah.” Yang replied. “Let’s see… oh, I think I can make one out. Looks like a bird.” Yang called out.

“Ah, the Falconess’ Respite. I love that one, it’s a story about a Huntress who used to hunt Grimm with an Eagle.”

“Like Eryka?”

“Yep, the Grimm never stood a chance against the two of them. They were always unstoppable together… but one day her eagle was killed during a fight. It broke her heart… but she saw the stars in the shape and she believed it was her Eagle. Still watching over her even now. And she always said she felt like she could fly when she had that belief in her head, like nothing could ever defeat her.” Blake described, she always had such a beautiful voice, she made any story sound amazing whenever she spoke.

Yang just… couldn’t stop staring at her.

But she snapped out of it and chuckled nervously. “Wow… let’s hope that never happens to Eryka then. She loves Dulcis.” She chuckled.

“Yeah, he’s cool too.” Blake added.

“So cool.” Yang agreed, which made them both giggle.

“Alriiight… let’s see. Ooh, I think I see a fish. Space Fishy.” Yang joked.

“Heh, that’s funnier than the story. It comes from the story of a lost angler. It was the story of how Menagerie was discovered. He was lost out in the sea and used the stars to find his way there.” Blake explained.

“Wait… where does the fish come into it?” Yang asked.

“I think that was just what he wanted for dinner that night.” Blake joked. “What other ones can you see?”

“Hmm… oh! I think I see a sword.” Yang described.

“Ooh, spooky.”

“Oh awesome, gimme the deets.”

“Well… it’s about the moon. It’s the story of how a sword was used to destroy the moon, it’s said that the Eclipse turned all the Grimm into unstoppable monsters. No matter how many strikes it took, nothing could ever kill one, so they used the sword to destroy the moon, so that it could never form an Eclipse again. The scariest part is that some people talk about that story like it was actually true.” Blake explained.

“Damn… let’s hope then it’s just a silly story.” Yang chuckled.

“Yeah…” Blake then went quiet. Yang turned to her, rolling onto her side.

“Hey, you okay?” Yang asked her, and Blake just smiled.

“Yeah… yeah… I just… thank you.” Blake softly said to her. “I’m so sorry for how I treated you when we saw each other again. I wasn’t fair… and now you’re always so kind to me… you always have been…”

“Blake…”

“No, I… I’m sorry.” Blake whispered.

“You don’t have to apologise for anything. It’s my fault everything that happened six years ago happened. If I knew what my semblance was capable of…” Yang softly said, then she felt the warm pressure of Blake’s hand touching hers. She looked at her hand and then at Blake. She smiled at Yang.

The two gazed at each other for a few moments.

Then Blake pulled away slowly, looking away from Yang. “I’m sorry…” she said, before she got up and walked away. Yang reached out to her but sighed.

It was nice while it lasted.

All Yang wanted was for Blake to be happy.

At least for a while, she was.

 

Salem

 

“Oh, Adam…” Salem spoke.

She stood by his cell with her arms crossed, listening to his pathetic whimpering. He hugged his knees and rocked back and forth in the dark corner. “Please… please forgive me…” He begged, but Salem just coldly laughed, grasping onto the bars of the door, staring in at him with a small smile on her face.

“Why?” she asked him. Her voice made his hairs stand on end and skin prickle.

“I… I understand now… I do!” He begged her.

“You see, I don’t know if you do. You said those words to me before, and yet you still disobeyed me. I told you to leave the girl alone, yet time after time, you refuse to complete your mission because of your sick obsession with her.” Salem snarled, eyes glowing faintly at him.

“I was a fool… a fool! Please… please no more…” He snivelled.

Salem turned her gaze down the hall of her prison, seeing someone sprinting, screaming in agony and terror. He ran, but an Abductor grabbed him by the ankle. “No! PLEASE! LET ME GO! PLEAAAASE! AAAAAAAAAH!” the man shrieked, with a voice that was eerily too familiar to some. But the screams just became muffled when he was dragged back into the cell to be tortured more and more.

Salem smiled sinisterly and turned back to Adam.

“How do I know that this is not another one of your games?” She asked him.

“I… I promise you… I will never disobey you… I will never fail you…” He begged, and she smirked.

“Well, that’s already a lie. You have yet to actually succeed for me.” Salem scoffed, about to walk away.

“NO PLEASE! OKAY! OKAY! I WON’T GO NEAR BLAKE BELLADONNA AGAIN!” He screamed. She stopped and narrowed her red eyes. Then she slowly turned around.

“Is that so?” Salem asked gently.

“Y-Yes… I… I will not go after her… I swear…” he trembled.

Salem smirked and unexpectedly opened the cell door. He looked at her fearfully, but she gestured her finger, ushering him towards her. He crawled before her, grovelling at her feet. “Thank you… thank you…” he cried.

But Salem suddenly grabbed him by the horn, glaring hauntingly down at him, eyes flushed red with glowing fury. “This… is your last chance. Disobey me again – and I promise you… you will beg me to kill you.” She turned as she saw Jaune, a Seer and one of her Praetorian Knights, approach. “I can always use a new Praetorian Knight.” She whispered, and that made him feel sick with fear.

“Now go… clean yourself up and be ready.” Salem commanded. He staggered back up to his feet, limping down the hall to where his dorm was. Jaune watched him pass, and he just turned back to Salem, resting his hands upon his pommel.

“Doctor Arthur Watts has a message for you.” Jaune informed.

“Ah, the good doctor…” Salem softly said, approaching the Seer. The black smoke within its glass dome swirled and formed into his face. He bowed his head and spoke plainly, as always.

“Your grace.”

“Arthur. What news do you bring?” Salem asked.

“I wish I had better to bring you. We had Team C.P.P.R in custody with the Relic of Knowledge, but just as we were going to deliver them aboard the Gyrfalcon, they escaped.” He informed, Salem stared at him and she narrowed her eyes.

“How tragic…” Salem softly said. “Well, what are you waiting for? Find them and bring them to me.”

“At once, your grace. They can’t have gone far.” He assured, then his face faded away. Salem remained skeptical of his words.

“Shall I head out to retrieve the Relic, your grace?” Jaune inquired. Salem smiled, gently caressing his cheek before resting her hand on his shoulder.

“All in due time, my dear. All in due time.” She promised, before she walked away, smirking as she held her hands together as she walked.

Jaune looked down the hall where he heard the screams, and he approached the door…

… and he felt like he recognised their voices.

 

Chapter 29: The Question...

Chapter Text

Eryka

 

Why, oh why, did I not pack better clothing?

Fucking hell, I forgot how hot Vacuo could get, sweating my ass off.

“Eryka?” Winter’s voice snapped her back to reality. She lifted her head swiftly, blue eyes wide with surprise.

“Huh?” Eryka jolted.

“Your head’s in the clouds.” Winter softly laughed. No matter how many times she heard it, the sound of Winter Schnee laughing always made Eryka smile automatically. Joanna quickly moved ahead, keeping her head down and her Staff close. They had arrived at the place where the Sidewinder was being kept. In fact, they could hear them working on a dismantled one. The sound of powerful suction powered tubes roared inside as they got the sand out from the vents of the vehicle. Or the scraping shrieks of saw blades cutting away the black glass that had been fused to the metal chassis.

Eryka moved with May, and they peered round to see some of them. They were not what they were expecting; they had heavy cybernetics, but they were not professionally handled. The level of cybernetics was beyond anything they had seen, outside of the Black Gallows, that is. “What the hell?” Eryka gasped in a soft voice.

“These guys have changed a lot since I was a kid.” Joanna commented.

“Who are these guys? You never said?” Winter asked.

“They call themselves Purgatory. They don’t really bother the people of Vale as long as they’re in the city, but out in the Dunes? That’s a whole other story, and back when they were still alive, the U.G.R didn’t give a damn. End of the day, the Dunes are even more lawless than the city itself.” Joanna explained.

“Damn…” Eryka softly said.

“What about the cybernetics? Seen no one other than the Black Gallows use the tech. Nobody else can.” May asked.

“That’s because they can’t. But they take the parts from dead or destroyed Black Gallows soldiers and equipment. And they repurpose whatever they can find out there in the dunes, and raid anything they see. Including Black Gallows… most of the time it ends in failure, but it looks like they’ve been stealing more and more from them.” Joanna explained. “Looks like it doesn’t work even half as well as it does in the hands of the Gallows, though. I mean, look at their optics… a fraction compared to what we’ve seen Stockholm Troopers using.”

“Yeah… bastards must be insane too, completely ripping out the old stuff and building new faulty equipment to replace the stuff that they couldn’t decrypt – and then weld that into their heads.” Eryka stated, keeping Constantine Damascus close.

“And lemme guess, they kill folk on sight?” May presumed.

“Good guess.” Joanna nodded.

“Of course. Just once it would be nice to meet a mild-mannered gang.” May chuckled, shaking her head. Winter peered over, and she examined the area. There were quite a few Purgatory Mercs in there, all of which were armed to the teeth with old rusted cybernetics and weapons. Their weaponry was pretty deadly too, by the looks of things, old Atlesian Firepower.

“Looks like they couldn’t do the same for Black Gallows weapons. Everything is Atlesian Military.” Winter explained.

“Well, that’s good. Black Gallows firepower is way worse than anything the Atlesians made on their own.” Eryka teased, in which Winter just shot an annoyed look at her. Eryka raised her hands, surrendering. “Sorry.”

Winter rolled her eyes and kept examining the area. “Damn… no sign of a working Sidewinder, they’re repairing them. Lots of black glass on them.”

“Magma Storms, no doubt. I’ve heard they’re getting worse out there.” Joanna confirmed.

“They sound pretty scary.” May joked.

“Well yeah, when lightning is crashing down in a massive tornado, burning so hot it forms spires of black glass after melting the sand, yeah… kinda scary.” Joanna chuckled, making May chortle, too.

“First the Cryostorms in Atlas and now the Magma Storms here in Vacuo… what the hell’s next?” Eryka sighed.

“Well… in fairness, the Magma Storms are a natural phenomenon. The Cryostorms, though? That’s a whole other ball game… there’s something really weird about how that storm just never ends.” Joanna stated. “At least Magma Storms are random.”

“Never thought I’d hear someone find a completely unpredictable storm normal.” May commented.

“What stops the storms from hitting the city?” Eryka asked.

“I think it’s too cool over here. They only happen in the Dunes, and pretty far out too. In the hottest regions. The Dune Sea is big.” Joanna added, shrugging her shoulders.

After they passed the time with idle chatter about what they were heading into, Winter hushed them. She listened carefully, overhearing a conversation between two Purgatory Thugs. “Hey! The hell’s taking so long with that Sidewinder? All you have to do is refuel the damn thing!” One thug barked. His voice sounded more machine than living. It actually made their hairs stand on end.

These men and women did this to themselves on purpose.

That was scary to imagine… ripping your body apart to improve it for killing people.

Unimaginable evil…

They kept listening for the mercenary to respond to the man who was yelling at them. “Dude!” He barked again, and Winter listened carefully, hearing him kick the engineer. “Wake the hell up, dumbass!”

“Wha? Ugh…” He grumbled.

“Sleeping on the job? How about I put a fucking bullet in your head, huh? Then you’ll get to sleep all day long. For the rest of frigging time!” The man yelled.

“I-I’m sorry okay?” The other whimpered, scrambling back up to his feet.

“Get back to work, you stupid shit! Get that Sidewinder fuelled up already! We need it for that score!” He yelled, storming back into the room they had their eyes on.

“Despite all that tech, they still have lazy assholes.” Eryka scoffed, turning as Dulcis landed next to her. He chirped softly at her, rubbing his head against her cheek cutely.

“Alright… May you can get us through with your Semblance.” Specialist Schnee was back, immediately coming up with a plan. “We could take them out. There aren’t too many and they’re disorganised. But it would be a hell of a lot easier to steal the Sidewinder as fast as possible and make our escape.” Winter explained.

“Sounds like it’s the only one that’s working, too.” Eryka agreed.

“Sure, but it could go wrong.” Joanna explained.

“We just need to be quiet. Last thing we need are Black Gallows falling on our position and killing us.” Winter explained.

“Yeah, I don’t feel like dying.” May shrugged.

They all turned when the mercenary looked like he was pretty high on the food chain – mainly because of the size of him and the massive amount of metal on his body. His entire face had been mechanically replaced with optics and a mechanical jaw that flashed whenever he spoke. He approached a terminal in the office and he answered a hailing call from somewhere.

“Yeah?” He responded, like all the others. His voice was sharp and inhuman.

“This is the Black Gallows.” An Operator informed, the Mercenary immediately changed his tone.

“Ma’am.” He replied.

“We have sent a contingent of our best combatants to Vacuo. If you can apprehend these wanted individuals, it would add a bonus to the payment we owe you for your information.” She stated, which he chuckled as a response.

“How much are we talking?” He asked her.

“Double the original price.” She answered. He laughed.

“Well then, we will make it our mission then.” He assured.

Winter sighed and slid down against the wall. “Damn it.” She sighed.

“Lemme guess, we’re the people they’re talking about, right?” Eryka assumed.

“That’s right.” Winter sighed.

“Damn… in Vacuo for only a few minutes and we’re already public enemy number one. Guess that means the Ace Ops are headed straight for us.” Eryka stated.

“Well, let’s make sure we get out of the city before they find us.” May said, holding out her hands. “Everyone ready?” She asked.

“Yeah… let’s grab that Sidewinder and get the hell out of here.” Eryka agreed.

May activated her semblance, forming a protective bubble around them all, which also concealed them completely, making everyone completely invisible. They entered the area, weapons at the ready. May kept her eyes peeled on their surroundings. All it would take is one mistake and they would be all over them. Eryka kept her finger on the bowstring but did not draw, not unless she needed to. A Purgatory Walker pounded a hammer into metal, shaping it to replace the slashed up remains of a Sidewinder’s Tail. Looked like massive claws or teeth had dug into the metal, tried to drag down into the sand.

Blind Worms…

“Did ya hear what happened to Charlie’s team?” They heard a couple of Walkers conversing in the next room. Eryka and Joanna stood by the door, ready to go in when it was clear. May could keep them cloaked for a while, but she had to be careful not to let any of the thugs into the bubble itself, or their cover would be blown.

“Yeah, swallowed by Blind Worms, right?” Another Walker inquired.

“Yeah, nasty business. Saw it go down. They were heading back to base with some pretty good gear, too. Found it all in the ruins of the Old City.” The Walker explained, Joanna peered inside the next room, seeing the two men conversing. The one who just spoke was cleaning a rifle, covered in dust and grime, alongside some blood on the stock where he smashed someone’s head in.

“What’s the statistic these days? Ten people a month get eaten by Blind Worms?” The other Walker inquired as he twisted the nuts on the Sidewinder with his wrench. It wasn’t the Sidewinder they were looking for, it too was really dismantled.

“Something like that, yeah. The Sea of Sand is a merciless place. Can’t count the amount of Nomadic Tribes out there just disappear because of what’s out there. Some say there are Grimm species there that we haven’t even discovered yet but make the Blind Worms look tiny.” He explained, which made the other chuckle.

“Gods, I hope not. Blind Worms give me the heebie jeebies.” The Purgatory Walker commented, shuddering at the thought of those massive monsters.

They made their way through the next room, but as Joanna entered she gasped, slightly bumping into a trolly which had a bunch of pieces of scrap metal inside. The rattle was not very loud, but it got the attention of the two men. “The hell?” One muttered.

“Eh, probably a rat. Damn, things are everywhere.” He sighed, walking over to the trolly. Joanna quickly but silently got back to May, who guided everyone away from that trolly and near the Sidewinder where the other was working.

The Thug looked around the trolly to find the rat, humming away to himself. “Y’know, I saw a rat the size of a cat in here yesterday?” The one by the Sidewinder asked.

“A cat?” The other questioned.

“Yeah, ugly bastard had been eating a bunch of shit in the storerooms, thing was huge. Caught it and throw it out and all, but damn… big bastard.” The two thugs were just engaging in idle chatter now, not much worth of note. Although the image of a Purgatory Walker scrambling around to catch an enormous rat was a pretty amusing image. They waited for there to be a clear path.

Eryka picked up a piece of scrap metal on the floor and waited for nobody to be looking in their general direction, then threw it across the room to make another noise. “Ah ha! There you are, ya little shit.” The Rat Catcher cheered, running to the area where the metal hit the floor. That gave them their window, and they quickly passed through the room, and got into the next.

They gasped – seeing a man dangling from the ceiling, a hook rammed through both his hands. He had been beaten to death by the looks of things. They used him like he was a living punching bag. Covered in bruises, even cuts from where they were having fun torturing. “Fuck…” May whispered with shock in her eyes.

“These bastards…” Winter snarled. “They’re an abomination…”

Joanna looked across the room, and she smirked, noticing something. “We could leave these guys a parting gift, stop them from chasing after us.” She suggested, nodding towards something. They turned and saw what she saw – pipelines.

They were specifically connected to this building, and it looked like they were flowing with liquified dust crystals to power up the vehicles. The same stuff they used to power the Sidewinders. “We just need to fuel up our Sidewinder, and once we’re clear? Blow the place sky high.”

“What about the rest of the town? Will the explosion cause damage to Vacuo?” Eryka asked.

“No, this pipeline is connected to their own network, see? They have a central tank that they melt down dust crystals into their fuel source.” Joanna explained. They followed the pipes and saw the large refinery in the centre of the warehouse, melting down all those dust crystals. It was such a waste of perfectly used dust, and this was such a primitive fuel source. But maybe they could use it to their advantage.

“I guess we’ll give the people of Vacuo one hell of a firework show.” May chuckled.

They continued onward, and they found the Sidewinder. The fella who was asleep was now refuelling it, and it was in tip-top shape. No damage left on it and ready to go. All it needed was fuel, and not too much more by the looks of things. Winter gestured to everyone, getting them all to spread out across the room, whilst Eryka drew Slice ‘n Dice. She waited until the light went green, and it pinged.

She grabbed the Merc by the mouth and rammed the sword through his back and out of his ribs. He screamed into her palm, then swiftly ripped the blade out of his spine and down the back of his neck, killing him. The man collapsed to the floor, bleeding everywhere. Eryka kicked the fuel pipe off the side of the Sidewinder and Joanna jumped into the cockpit. “Let’s ride.” Joanna chuckled, setting off the engine.

It made a guttural sound, like an old diesel engine, chugging with a rhythmic drumming sound. Everyone got aboard. May got onto the second seat in front of Joanna, whilst Winter and Eryka took opposite sides on the side platforms they could connect themselves to. Eryka held stood there. Not only were they connected via cables, but there were also slight gravity dust linings on the platforms that kept them aboard. Eryka drew her Explosive Arrow on Constantine Damascus as Joanna roared out and drifted around.

They saw the Boss of the Purgatory Gang rush out. “The hell’s going –”

Eryka needn’t say a word. She just winked and launched the arrow directly into the fuel line. It exploded, and the entire building rapidly went up in a fireball. Alongside ice, rock and electricity came bursting out from it, forming huge spires of ice and rock rising from the roof.

“That’s been a long time coming.” Joanna chuckled.

“C’mon, let’s get to Robyn and the others and get out to the Sea of Sand!” Winter ordered.

The massive hardlight forged – almost parachute – extended, acting like a sail to help guide the powerful vehicle across the bumpy terrain. They swiftly roared off, the blades on its underside effortlessly cut through the dunes of sand, leaving a beautiful trail behind as they banked around the dune and headed to where Robyn was waiting for them. They saw emergency teams already arriving at where the explosion happened, and like Joanna said, nobody else was hurt – only those Purgatory scumbags.

The Sidewinder quickly made its way around the borders of Vacuo and drifted to the small shanty town which sat on the very outskirts of the city. That was where Robyn was waiting for them, and Joanna drifted it around. They parked and saw Robyn lift her head from behind cover, and they rushed out. “C’mon!” Robyn called out to Saphron, Terra and Fiona. Saphron held little Adrien’s hand as they quickly got to the vehicle.

May immediately exited her seat so that Saphron and Adrien could sit there, since it was far better for the six-year-old kid to be in the safest place on the vehicle, whilst the rest would be on the platforms. “I take it that enormous explosion was you guys, right?” Robyn inquired, getting aboard.

“Yeah… thought we’d leave a delightful distraction for the Black Gallows – that and those bastards had that coming.” Joanna answered. Robyn chuckled.

“Fair enough.” She agreed.

Eryka held on and stared out at the desert. Winter turned and gently touched her hip, getting her attention. “You okay?” She asked her.

Eryka had been drifting off more and more lately.

“Yeah…” Eryka sighed.

“We’ll find her.” Winter assured, and Eryka nodded.

“Yeah… maybe…”

Joanna sent the Sidewinder roaring forward, and the mood suddenly skyrocketed when they heard Saphron and Adrien both cheer with excitement at how cool it was.

It was enough.

But Eryka just hoped that maybe all of this would be worth it.

 

Blake

 

Embers… the smell of blood…

She was back there, at Beacon…

She looked around, wide eyed and afraid. It was like she had her eyes back, and she felt younger again. She held her side in pain, desperately looking around the fire as she heard the deafening roar of the Grimm.

It was like she never left. Despite the six years that passed, she kept on finding her way back here. But this time it was different. Most nights, she would always see Sun being brutally killed by Adam. It haunted her… and then he would come for her, either dragging her back to where he came from, or he would just butcher her. It had been a long time since she had those nightmares, but this one felt different.

She stumbled forward and held her hand against her belly, feeling the blood leaking from her open wound. “Blake?” She heard her voice weakly call out. Blake spun around and she gasped, seeing Yang crawling across the ground. She was bleeding heavily, stabbed multiple times in the chest.

“Yang!” Blake cried out, then she saw Adam above the Golden Beauty, stamping his hoof down on her back. Yang grunted in pain, reaching out for her, and Blake gasped, amber eyes wide. Adam smirked at Blake as he held Wilt and Blush over to her.

“I will take… everything… you love.” Adam snarled, before ramming the sword down through Yang’s heart.

“YANG!”

Blake gasped, swiftly awakening, lifting her head. Heart hammering, and a bit of sweat beading on her skin. She pressed her hand against her head, feeling a slight headache, sighing softly.

She rarely got a lot of sleep these days, that was simply something she had been getting used to.

Being blind meant that every other sense had been dialled up to eleven, especially her hearing, so the smallest thing could wake her up. And yet despite that, this may have been one of the best sleeps she had in a while. She still woke up a few times, or struggled to fall asleep. But it was the comfiest bed she had in a long time. The bed she had back at Cinder’s Farm was lovely, but being back at her home? In the bed she always used to sleep in?

But that nightmare?

There was something strange… usually when she had nightmares of Beacon, it was always about the night she lost Sun and lost her eyes. The Fall of Beacon… but this was not of that night. This was the Attack on Beacon, the first attack, when Yang lost her arm and she was stabbed by Adam. It had been a very long time since she had thought of that night. Perhaps since the third time the School had been attacked, it was far more traumatic for everyone involved than the first.

And the second? Whilst that one was scary, they still killed the Praetorian Knight and stop Neo from killing Ruby. Despite losing Oobleck in the process…

But it still hurt.

She sat upright and hugged her knees, thinking about that night, thinking of Yang.

I know she’s okay… she’s just in the next room… but…

She quickly got up and put on her purple dressing gown, wrapping it around her body, hiding the scars. She opened the door and gasped, finding Yang already there, holding a tray. They both yelped. “Hi.” Yang nervously greeted.

“Hi.” Blake also nervously greeted.

Yang’s eyes, for a brief second, looked at Blake’s body but immediately shot back up to her eyes. “I-I-I thought I’d make you some tea.” Yang squeaked, and Blake smiled, accepting the tray.

“Thank you, Yang.” Blake whispered. Yang tilted her head out of concern.

“Hey? You okay?” She asked her.

“Hmm?” Blake jolted, ears stood on end with surprise. “U-Uh yeah… yeah… I just…”

Yang leant against the doorframe. She was wearing her orange crop top and her trousers, but that was it, really. Most likely just woke up as well. “Did you have a nightmare?”

“How did you…”

“You’re not the only one who gets them.” Yang assured, wringing her hands. Blake smiled at her and she walked bed to her bed and sat down. Yang approached and sat down next to her. “What was it?”

“I…” Blake nervously stammered. “It was of Beacon… the first time.”

Yang nodded her head. “Gods that feels so long ago.” Yang looked down at her cybernetic hand and closed it into a fist.

“Sometimes I just feel like I’m… going crazy. So many nights I just can’t sleep… always having nightmares or I just can’t sleep. I just start… listening… to every little noise.” She sighed, and Yang looked at her.

“You’re not crazy, Blake. At least no crazier than normal.” She joked, which made Blake chuckle.

“Thanks.” Blake giggled.

“Thing is… I know what you mean, really I do. Even now I still have nightmares of when Adam cut off my arm. Or of Valravn… the Atlesian Wildlands…” she listed, holding her hands together. “I think it stops though… after a while… it doesn’t end overnight. Or after a few years… we just gotta… stop letting it get to us.” Yang explained, staring vacantly. “I guess I’m still working on that part.”

Yang bowed her head and squeezed her hands together, still able to hear the faint whispers of Valravn in the back of her mind. “I’m not him… sometimes I have to just… remind myself that.”

“You’re not. Hey?” Blake cradled Yang’s arm, getting her attention. “You’re not Valravn Branwen. You’re not a Branwen at all. You’re Yang Xiao Long…” Blake assured with a gentle smile on her face. Yang smiled and her cheeks warmly turned red, and she exhaled.

“Yeah… you’re right.” She chuckled.

“I guess we’ll just have to remind ourselves of that every now and again.” Blake admitted, making Yang chuckle.

“Sounds like a plan.” Yang agreed. The Golden Brawler stood up and gently squeezed Blake’s shoulder, walking out of her room. She then picked up her tea and drank it, feeling a warm butterfly feeling in her chest fade the second that Yang left.

A feeling she hadn’t felt in a very long time.

Blake ate the breakfast Yang made her and drank all the tea, then got dressed. She walked out with her tray, and by now Yang was also dressed too. Nora was sitting on the chair with a big smile, given a big tray of food – most likely a treat from Kali to help feed the pregnant mom-to-be. Even Kali stood there with a beaming smile – like always. “The second we have a pregnant lady in the house, you suddenly start cooking up the biggest breakfast I have ever seen.” Ghira chuckled.

“What? I can’t leave our guests with empty bellies.” Kali said.

“Would you like help?” Ghira timidly asked.

“Out of the kitchen.” She immediately laid down the law. Despite being such a small woman, she was by far the fiercest one in the house. “Good morning, darling!”

“Morning mom…” Blake replied, letting out an enormous yawn. Oscar emerged and so did Weiss and Ren, sitting down inside of the main room.

“A beautiful morning, today.” Kali said, looking out the window as she cooked all the food. Kali truly was an amazing cook. She could have three hobs on the go and somehow not be stressed out. And always made the most delicious meals they had ever tasted.

“Yeah… I always missed waking up every morning here. Sun rises are always so pretty out here.” Blake said, crossing her arms as she sat down.

“It’s a beautiful place.” Weiss said with a sweet smile on her face.

“We have made this place something beautiful. We are very proud of it.” Ghira agreed.

A knock on the door surprised them, and Ghira chuckled, walking over to the door. “You have a guest, my dear.” Ghira announced. Blake turned and heard the door open.

She walked in and Blake gasped, immediately knowing who she was by her aura alone. “Ilia…” She gasped.

“Blake…” Ilia gasped back, smiling and laughing with joy, sprinting to her and hugging her. They both spun around as they held each other, laughing. Yang smiled, standing up and crossing her arms. “YOU’RE OKAY!”

“More or less.” Blake chuckled. Ilia clearly noticed the blindfold but never commented on it, perhaps waiting for a better time to ask.

“You’re all okay?” She chuckled, but then she looked around and her face changed. But yet again… she did not ask about Sun, not yet. “Wow… when Ghira called me, I couldn’t believe it. I nearly stormed down there if he hadn’t told me you were asleep.”

Blake laughed. “You do not know how good it is to see you, Blake… it’s been hard.” Ilia admitted. She stood there and looked at them all. Blake knew she had so many questions.

Where’s Sun?

What happened to your eyes?

Are you friends with everyone again?

How did you survive Beacon?

But she did not ask those questions, but Blake knew those questions would be here soon. “How have you been? It’s been a long six years.” Blake asked her.

“Well… surviving, like you, I guess. You know about what happened to the White Fang?” Ilia asked, leaning against the wall.

“Yeah, the Feral Ones destroyed them.” Blake answered.

“Well, not all of us, honestly most of us just went into hiding. When we saw the Revolution get quelled and all those people be killed? People didn’t want to fight a battle they couldn’t win… hell, even I didn’t. Not since…” Ilia lifted her hand, showing the wedding ring. After everything that happened, it completely skipped Blake’s mind that Ilia was engaged the last time she saw her.

“Congratulations!” Blake squeaked.

“Thanks… we did it in private. Didn’t want any unwanted guests. We’ve had to stay under the radar here in Menagerie, but I’ve been keeping in contact with your parents.” Ilia explained.

“You’re family to us, Ilia.” Ghira stated, smiling.

“And I cannot thank you enough.” Ilia replied, which made him chuckle.

“And I will continue to tell you that thanks are unnecessary.” Ilia just shrugged.

“But Sienna gave up… she couldn’t just stand down and hide like the rest of us, but she also didn’t see the point in fighting for the Faunus when so many joined a terrorist group who wanted nothing but an excuse to hurt people. That was never what the White Fang was about, but that was what Adam tried to force things into becoming. Now the Feral Ones hurt anyone they please, and even here, they beat and kill anyone who doesn’t believe in Salem’s leadership. They treat her like some kind of goddess.” Ilia explained, sounding sad about how this whole ordeal turned out.

“Yeah… we’ve seen their handiwork.” Weiss commented, anger fuelled by her words.

“Well… it’s partly why we’re here. We’re trying to stop Salem, to kill her. We have another team out there looking for more reinforcements like us – and another trying to keep the other Relic she doesn’t have out of her reach.” Oscar explained, his hand atop The Long Memory. Ilia gave him a look, clearly remembering how he was originally on the opposite side, but clearly fine with it.

A lot has happened since.

“And you’re here for the White Fang? To join your army against her?” Ilia asked, and Blake nodded.

“Yeah… we won’t stand a chance without some help.” Blake stated, and Ilia walked around.

“There’s still plenty out there who wanna see Salem cut down. For things to be better than they are, but they need a leader. I’m no leader… I tried but I can’t lead them.” Ilia explained.

“It’s been a long time since I led, plus Sienna was a far fiercer leader than I. That’s what the White Fang needs, someone who will do whatever is necessary… something I couldn’t do.” Ghira sighed, but Kali cradled his arm and lovingly rested her head against him.

“You did the best you could.” She assured.

“He’s right. Sienna is our best option. We need a leader who can rival Salem in terms of strength.” Ilia admitted.

“I was always better during peacetime… but for war? You unleash Sienna Khan.” Ghira stated.

“And lucky for you – I know exactly where she is.” Ilia assured with a smile, walking ahead of them to the doors.

“W-Wait you do?” Blake stammered, following her with everyone behind her.

“I do. She lives alone in the Desert, which is indeed a big place. But at first we had many who stood with her. She never left the place… and now guards it day in and out. Killing anyone who tries to come near.” Ilia explained.

Anyone?” Nora asked.

“Yep, she even took a shot at me. I know it was a warning shot, and I took the warning for what it’s worth. But I doubt her second shot would’ve missed.” Ilia explained. “And I will help you find her.”

“Are you sure? I mean…” Blake stammered.

“I know I’m married, Blake – but neither of us wanna live like this. We wanna be free, and this? This is not freedom. We shouldn’t be hiding from our own kind. The Feral Ones have to be put down.” Ilia stated, clenching her fist. “And when Ghira told me you were here, I had a feeling it was for this reason. So I saved us some time and got in contact with some old friends from the White Fang.”

They walked with her to the walls of Menagerie, and out there was the vast desert that made up most of the Island. The dunes were not as colossal and dangerous as Vacuo, but the wildlife was worse due to it being less hot. The main reason Blind Worms were so populous in Vacuo was because of the cooler temperatures underground to escape the heat. Hence why most Grimm out there were subterranean.

They turned the corner to the gates, and they gasped – beholding a few Gravity Hover-Bikes, charged by Gravity Dust. There were four overall. “Enough for us all to get to Sienna. We’ll have to share a few.” Ilia explained, hand on her hip.

“Thank you for this, Ilia.” Blake said, cushioning her shoulder with a smile, and Ilia chuckled.

“Thank you for not being dead. I’ve been wanting to get some payback.” Ilia joked as she approached her bike.

Blake hugged her father and mother in a warm embrace. “Come back safe… we don’t wanna lose you again.”

“You won’t. I promise.” Blake assured.

Everyone mounted up.

Yang and Blake on one, Ren and Nora on another, and Weiss and Oscar on the third. The gates opened, and Ilia raced ahead with the trio behind her, riding out into Menagerie’s Desert.

To find Sienna Khan.

 

Cinder

 

The countryside of Vale seemed all too familiar again for both Pyrrha and Cinder, walking through the verdant fields. Not too long ago, Pyrrha had returned from the dead and walked through these fields, uncertain of what to do.

And Cinder was happy here… a happy life… and she did not know about the sickness she mysteriously developed… despite doing none of the things that usually caused Noctis Putrida to form. Ruby and Penny walked with them, hands held together. Penny looked so happy to finally be free from the Virus that plagued her.

But now it was time they finally asked Jinn the question that literally everyone in Remnant had been wondering. But first they needed to find a safe place, and luckily, Cinder knew of one. “So what is this place?” Pyrrha asked curiously.

“An old ruin. I passed it a few times when bringing the crops into the Vale Market. Amber and I explored it one time. She wanted to do a fun, spooky adventure there. It was pretty cute, her dressing up as a ghost to scare me.” Cinder explained, smiling as she remembered all her time with that cute little girl. She closed one of her hands into a fist.

I wanna see her again…

… just one more time…

… please let me see her again…

They walked up the cobblestone path, then turned to see the old building. It was broken and overgrown, but it was safe and far from Vale, just as they aimed for it to be. They approached it and looked around. “Whoa… was this some old town?” Ruby wondered.

“I think so, yeah.” Cinder agreed, hiding a cough.

They walked inside, and Cinder sat down, pressing her hand against her head. Penny tilted her head. “Are you okay?” She inquired.

“Huh? Yeah… just feeling tired is all.” She lied, and Penny smiled – nodding her head.

“Take a minute, we’ll check the area. Make sure it’s safe.” Penny assured.

“Yeah, keep an eye on Jinn, will ya?” Ruby asked, setting the lamp down beside her. Cinder nodded her head and waited for them to go. Then she felt her lungs burn again. She gasped for air and coughed violently, spitting blood onto the floor.

“Argh… fuck…” She wheezed, hand pressed against her breast. “Why? How? I don’t get it… I never smoked… and I haven’t used dust until recently… not in a decade…”

Suddenly, blue smoke rose from the Relic, and she gasped. “Oh shit, no I’m sorry I wasn’t…”

“I know…” Jinn assured, floating before the Fall Maiden with her arms crossed. “There is great sickness in you, my dear.”

Cinder scoffed. “Is it that obvious, huh?”

“The others do not know… why hide it?” She asked.

“You wouldn’t understand.” Cinder sighed. Jinn raised her brow.

“Really? I would not understand?” Jinn asked her.

“You can’t get sick…” Cinder clarified.

“No… but I understand. I am trapped within this lamp.” She said, floating down to sit beside Cinder, shaking her chains. “Sickness is not too different from feeling trapped, is it?”

“Heh… then I guess maybe you do.” Cinder chuckled, resting her arms on her knees.

“I know of what caused your sickness, Cinder… I can tell you if you wish.” Jinn assured.

“Don’t waste it on me…” Cinder said.

“I am not talking about my power. I simply know because I know of your past… I can simply tell you without showing you.” Jinn assured. Cinder’s eye widened… she could find out why… yet… something makes her tremble.

Her hand shook, and she had to steady it with the other.

“No.” Cinder answered.

“Why?” Jinn inquired.

“I… I’m not ready… I don’t know if I want to know…” Cinder wheezed, Jinn lifted her head, then nodded.

“Well… if you ever wish to know… you know where to find me.” Jinn transformed into blue smoke and returned to the Lamp, leaving Cinder alone. She stared down at her hands and wiped the blood from her mouth. Every breath was more like a rasp now, and it was just getting worse and worse.

But so far… no bleeding eye.

“Okay! We’re clear.” Penny squeaked, Cinder cleared her throat and stood tall.

“Cool… okay… let’s do this. You all ready?” Cinder asked.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” Pyrrha chuckled.

Ruby walked towards the Relic of Knowledge leant against the wall and she grabbed the loop, lifting it up. She walked into the middle of the room and she closed her eyes.

“Jinn.” she called, and time stopped around them. It showed how Jinn was always listening. She didn’t even have to stop time for their question alone. She already knew what was coming. The blue smoke billowed out from the Relic, swirling around them all, and she formed before them once again. She stretched and smiled.

“Ahh… I have missed these lessons.” Jinn chuckled as she floated downwards towards Ruby. “So… my beautiful rose? What question do you seek?”

Theatrical loser

Ruby softly chuckled at that thought. She took a deep breath and looked at the gorgeous being. “How do we kill Salem?”

Jinn knew it was coming, and she rose.

“Before I show you – there is something you must understand.” Jinn began. They all looked at her with concern. “When Arthur Watts asked me this question, he already knew of the information I am going to have to show you. Meaning it required less energy.”

“What are you saying?” Ruby asked.

“Salem will not just sense this… she will experience it as well. As will Oscar Pine and Ozpin.” She revealed.

“Holy shit…” Pyrrha gasped.

“Wait… Oz?” Ruby questioned. Jinn said no further after that.

“Do you accept the risk? Salem will be here with you when you see this.” Jinn warned. Team C.P.P.R all looked at each other, and they nodded at each other.

“Either way, she’d know… do it.” Ruby requested.

“As you wish.” Jinn agreed. She twirled and surrounded them with the blue smoke, and everything turned white.

Out in Menagerie, Oscar gasped, collapsing off the side of Weiss’ Bike and falling into the sand. “OSCAR!”

And in Evernight…

Salem lifted her head, eyes glowing red as she felt the Relic activate… and around her as well… everything turned white.

Salem stood up from her table and walked across the white page, and stared ahead at Oscar, who got back up, with Ozpin beside him. They both saw Salem and their eyes widened. Then saw Team C.P.P.R stood nearby as well, all of which stared at Salem with fear.

Salem glared at them, then they heard her voice, which was all around them.

“Once upon a time…”

The blue smoke billowed around them all, showing forging a field of beautiful grass and giant mountains. “… there stood a lonely tower.” Before them, the monumental structure formed before their very eyes, looking frighteningly similar to that of Beacon Academy.

Salem stood emotionlessly and so did Ozpin, whilst everyone else watched with bewilderment.

They all turned as the scene changed. “… which sheltered a lonely girl…”

Everyone approached the table that formed with many mirrors, and a beautiful young woman was sat there with long blonde hair.

“… named…”

She turned, looking very familiar as she rested her hands on her legs with saddened eyes.

“Salem.”

Chapter 30: The Lost Fable - Pt. 1

Chapter Text

Salem

 

The Dark Queen stood before the mirror, her hands held together, and in the reflection she saw the girl she used to be. So beautiful, with nearly glowing blonde hair and stunning blue eyes. Ruby looked at Salem, the two versions – the current at the past – and she couldn’t help but wonder the same thing that was bouncing around in everyone’s minds.

What the hell happened to you, Salem?

Then, as the vision began, they all heard the voice of Jinn all around them. Oscar gasped as he heard her voice, with Ozpin barely even reacting as he looked down at the floor. Like he completely could not look at Salem.

“She had everyone she could ever want, all the food, all the water, and all the wealth – yet despite all that… her father refused to give her the one thing she always wanted… freedom.” Jinn explained. Salem stepped aside as the Young Salem stood up from her table and looked out at the rolling hills of green.

“The beautiful princess was locked away within her tower, guarded by her Eight Brave Knights, who swore to protect her. But despite that – her overly protective father was too afraid to let her free from her home. Afraid of what the people of this world would do to her… or what she could do to them.” Jinn narrated, and they watched as a tear streamed down Salem’s cheek.

They could feel her loneliness, and she sat down in her chair and stared up at the ceiling. “And in a world where every single soul could wield and master magic… you must wonder why? Why was he so afraid of what Salem… could do to them?”

Salem opened her palm, and Cinder’s eye widened upon seeing the many magical balls swirling between her fingertips. Her eyes glimmered as she channelled so much magical power effortlessly. Then Salem just sighed, rubbing the tears from her eyes, until she heard the knock on the door. She opened it and a warm smile graced her face.

“But there was always one she could confine with – someone who made her happy, despite her prison of marble.” Jinn stated.

He was a handsome young man, one who Oscar immediately recognised.

“Ozma…” He whispered, looking at his ancient previous incarnation.

The Original Version.

“Madame Salem.” Ozma greeted.

“Inquisitor Ozma… hello.” She sweetly replied, a slight blush on her cheeks.

He smiled back, but it faded quick. “I’m sorry to disturb you but – your father wishes to speak with you.”

Salem sighed, nodding her head.

“Of course…”

She left and walked with him, and outside were her other seven Knights, all bound with their duty to protect her with their lives.

Ozma’s right hand, the Senechal was there, holding the pommel of her sheathed sword like always. She had a shaved head and quite a pretty face, despite some scars on her face.

Ozma was the only one she ever knew the name of, but she always remembered their ranks – but only knew the faces of Ozma and the Seneschal. But with her were: the Zealot, the Spartan, the Executioner, the Berserker and the Shogun.

And lastly – The Deacon.

Salem walked in the middle of them. Even here in her home, she was always surrounded by armour and her guards. Pyrrha followed them, then saw the Brother of Darkness down the hall, stood in the shadows, looking at her. She then turned to the window that the sun shone through and there stood the Brother of Light. Even here, she could see them in her head.

This is it… finally gonna learn what happened…

… what they are hiding from me.

Penny stared at the architecture of Salem’s home, wide eyed… then she saw Cinder’s face. Unlike Penny, she was not admiring the gorgeous building and how different it all looked to modern architectural designs.

To Cinder… this was all too familiar.

These halls… I remember these halls…

Salem approached the door. She looked so small and shy as she held her arms together, but Ozma stood close to her, smiling affectionately. Oscar turned to see Salem watching, with a constantly stern expression. Ozma took a step forward and knocked on the door. “My Lord, your daughter is here.”

“Good – please let her in.” The Father spoke, and she walked inside, with Ozma beside her. The rest of the Knights entered as well. He held his sword down against the floor, tip of the blade touching the marble floor. He stood at the window. Her father was a large fat man, and he smiled as he looked at her. “My dear! I may finally have a way to free you from your condition!”

“It’s not a condition, dad…” Salem sighed sadly.

“My sweet thing, how many times must we have this conversation? The doctors and scientists have all said the same thing – the level of magic you wield is off the known charts. You have too much power in you, a dangerous amount… we have to make you normal.” He explained. She gasped.

“Normal?” she questioned.

“People will want to test on you, make our race more powerful than we already are. I have seen the power of magic and I refuse to let it get any stronger. And I will not have my daughter using it either.” The Father explained, but Salem narrowed her blue eyes.

“To be like you?” She asked. He stared at her and narrowed his eyes, and he took a step forward. But Ozma and all her Knights gripped their swords, bound to protect her to the end.

“In their time, Magic was seen to be common practice for everyone. Only a few would be born without magic, like her father. However, her mother was another story – she was from a long bloodline of incredibly powerful sorceresses. Such powers were feared by the people and desired by many others.” Jinn explained as the scene transformed into blue smoke around them.

“So he tried to remove her magical powers…” Ruby sighed.

“By any means necessary.” Jinn answered.

The blue smoke lead to a horrifying scene. Salem stood at her window with wide eyes as a massive army amassed outside the Castle, and she watched as her father was forced to his knees, and was executed brutally by the men outside. Then they blasted all their magic into the castle’s walls, blowing it to pieces.

“Fear leads to violence, and the people who dreaded what the Princess could bring tried to kill her. Of course… they underestimated the skill and loyalty of her brave knights.” Jinn explained, and she watched fearfully as Ozma and his fellow Knights stood before the army.

The battle raged all night, and despite the thousands of warriors, eight brave Knights held them off, cutting them down and blowing them apart with blades and magic. The Deacon sprinted through them and slashed the knights to pieces whilst the Shogun darted forward with their Katana, slicing through six knights in a single attack, spraying blood everywhere. The Zealot opened her hands, conjuring many blades and blasting them into the attacking raiders, killing them all.

Whilst Ozma slammed his Sceptre down to the ground, blasting powerful volts of magic through the cobblestone, splattering the men and women, or burning them to ash or freezing them solid.

“But Salem could not sit and watch any longer.”

Ozma turned and gasped as Salem landed on the ground behind them and she lifted her eyes, and they ignited. Cinder gasped. “It’s… like the Maiden Powers…”

Salem joined her Knights as they fought off the attackers, fighting through the night. Salem’s power was unmatched, able to command the elements itself, but to a degree that made the magic everyone else possessed appear to be weak and meaningless in comparison. Glyphs formed, and she summoned glowing red clawed hands that slashed down entire platoons, whilst the Executioner jumped high in the air, slamming his axe down into the enemy so hard he was split clean in two.

But the Executioner was the first to fall, getting stabbed through the back and then through the chest by two warriors. He fell to his knees before his head was cut clean from his shoulders.

“No!” Salem screamed.

His body collapsed to the ground, then the Berserker charged forward, using magic to numb himself to pain, and he cut the enemies down one by one, completely unstoppable. Running alongside him was the Spartan, whom threw her shield and rammed her spear straight through three warriors, and she called her shield back with magic. The Zealot used her magic, blasting fire out across the terrain, burning and melting the brutal brigands that tried to hurt their Princess.

Salem yelped in pain as an arrow made it past their defences and hit her in the shoulder. The pain seared and Ozma immediately held her.

The Deacon blocked the next shot, then the Seneschal turned to him. “Get her out of here! We will hold them off!” She commanded.

Ozma stared at his old friend, but she just smiled and nodded.

He ran with Salem, whilst the remaining Knights held their ground, fighting them off until they all fell.

“The Knights fought until they all died, killing thousands of so-called warriors, and the enemy’s efforts were all for naught. But some still pursued the Princess… where they would meet a fiery end.” Jinn narrated. They watched as Ozma and Salem stumbled through the woods, still being pursued by a few hundred soldiers. She still had the arrow in her shoulder, wincing in pain.

He helped get the arrow out, using his magic to quickly heal her, but he turned, seeing they were getting closer. “Madame Salem… go… I will hold them off.” Ozma promised.

“No! No, you fool! Don’t do this!” she begged.

“It is my duty, and I will make sure you survive.” Ozma promised until she silenced him with a sudden and unexpected kiss on the lips. It was a long and passionate kiss, and he held her tight. It was a long time coming.

Nearly everyone watched the kiss with disbelief, except… for Salem and Ozpin. The two stood in the woods next to each other, watching their old memories, closing their eyes with grief.

Their kiss broke, and they gazed into each other’s eyes. “Please… don’t do this…”

“I’m sorry…”

He turned and walked towards the many warriors who charged at him, spinning his Sceptre through his fingers. “You will not harm my lady, brigands.” He snarled, teeth gritted together. He shot forward and fought them all, killing them one by one. But as he fought, his strength waned, and the enemies cut at him, slashing across his back.

Then one rammed a sword straight through Ozma’s stomach, and he blasted the attacker into ash with his magic. He staggered back and gasped, holding his stomach in pain, then turned to the thirty remaining soldiers, who sprinted at him, screaming with fury.

Then they heard it and saw the trees burn. The Brigands stopped and their eyes widened in fear as Salem stood tall, eyes burning fiercely. “YOU’RE ALL GONNA BURN!” Salem roared, and she threw her arms back, creating a devastating explosion of magical power. The blast completely annihilated the woodland, formed from a bolt of lightning that struck down from above. The trees were burned to ash and all that was left of the soldiers were shadows on the floor.

But the blast went further than that. The army at the walls of the castle turned, and they gasped, seeing the flames coming for them. They all screamed in immense pain as the fire devoured them and the dead bodies of her brave knights. The fire scorched the walls of her castle home, turning the once verdant green hills black.

Salem lowered her arms and the fire in her eyes extinguished, stood in the ashes of what was once her home. She exhaled, then turned, revealing the spot where she specifically avoided Ozma, a single patch of green grass remaining. Salem sprinted to Ozma’s side and held the back of his head onto her knee. “Just hold on, Ozma! I can… I can…” she stammered, pressing her hands against his wound and using her healing spell on him, but she gasped.

“Why… why isn’t it working?” She stammered.

“The knights… their swords were coated in a poison… it blocks healing spells…” He winced.

“No! No…” Salem panted. “Goddamn Witch Hunters…”

“It’s… okay Salem… it’s okay…”

“No! No!” Salem cried out, pressing her hands against his wound as he bled out. Ruby closed her eyes, grieving for Ozma, and Oscar crouched down beside him. He just bowed his head with sadness for him.

“Go… please… more will be here soon…” Ozma begged her.

“No… I’m not leaving you here.” She sniffled, but he caressed her cheek.

“You’ve always been so stubborn.” He chuckled, then he reached over to his Sceptre and shoved it against her chest. “Take it… please…” He begged her.

She stared at the Sceptre and then at him. “Survive… for me… I beg of you…” He softly whimpered, then they heard the distant sound of reinforcements riding in on horseback. “Go…” He asked of her.

As she held him in her arms, she watched as the life fade from his eyes and he breathed his last. “NO!” Salem howled in heartbreak, hugging his corpse in her arms. “No…”

Then the scene changed once again. Blue smoke surrounded them all as the Flashback continued. “A Happily Ever After… that was what Salem had hoped for. That Ozma would be her Knight in Shining Armour, and they’d run away together and be happy. But real life is far less forgiving than those stories.”

They saw Salem on her own in many places, her hair even longer and unkempt. Covered in grime, scratches, and bruises. “Salem travelled as far as she could, keeping his Sceptre close. And every night… she asked the same question.”

“Why did the gods let this happen to me? What did I do wrong? Why do I deserve this?” Salem snivelled by a campfire in the woods. Pyrrha turned around and saw the two of them stood there. The Brother of Light stood tall and The Brother of Darkness hunched forward like always. Then they all looked up to the sky, as the Sun and the Moon flitted overhead repeatedly, showing how many days passed as Salem wandered alone.

“The Gods – Brothers of Light and Darkness. Creation and Destruction. Every night Salem prayed they would finally answer her call… but no matter what, she was walking to find him.” Jinn explained, then they saw Salem finally arrive.

Fields of golden grass stretched out, and the sky was cloudless and pure blue. It was such a beautiful place, and unlike anything they had ever seen. Although the landscape looked strangely similar to Anima to them. Salem was limping. Her old beautiful dress had been torn in places, covered in dirt and hardly even white anymore. Her feet were bleeding, after her fancy shoes had broken from the long walking. She clutched Ozma’s Sceptre close to her breast as she walked forward.

“The Domain of Light was a sacred and beautiful place.” Jinn said. Pyrrha watched as she approached the shrine where an old carving of the God of Light had been engraved. There were so many flowers and gifts left there. There was so much love here, you could feel it in the air itself. Oscar stood behind Salem as she walked up the steps, leaving bloody footprints behind her.

“It was here where the Elder Brother dwelled beside his fountain of life and creation. It was here where mankind… would fall to ruin. And the beginning for what is Remnant’s greatest foe.” Jinn stated. Ruby walked with Salem up the steps, and she gasped as she saw the stunning view of the Lake, and the giant gorgeous tree with golden leaves everywhere.

Salem shambled forward, and as Ruby walked, she looked over her shoulder, seeing the Current Salem watching. It made her uncomfortable, knowing that Salem could see all of this.

Yet despite that… Salem still did not even give Ruby a second look.

Salem approached the edge and gasped in tremendous pain, unable to walk any further, but she refused to let go of the Sceptre of her Beloved. She knelt before the lake, then lifted her head. Pyrrha stood beside her, then looked ahead, green eyes widening.

From the water… he rose.

First his glowing gold antlers appeared from the water, and then his whole featureless body emerged, no face, just glowing with bright light. Just as he did whenever she saw him. Pyrrha clenched her hand into a fist.

What did you do?

“You poor wounded thing…” The Brother of Light softly said, holding out his hand to her, and she gasped with a powerful relief. The pain disappeared and her feet were no longer bleeding.

“I… I have walked so far… survived so much pain…” she whimpered, tears dropped from her eyes. “Seen so much evil…”

The Brother of Light listened to her words. “But nothing this world can throw at me hurts more… than losing him. Please… please, I beg of you… bring him back to me! I cannot live in a world without him.” She cried.

The Brother of Light stared at her for a few seconds, and although he was allegedly the kinder Brother, the featureless face made him just as unnerving as Darkness. If anything… he creeped Pyrrha out more sometimes.

Then he finally spoke.

“I understand your pain – but you demand of me that which I cannot make so.” The Brother of Light explained, then he held out his hands. “Life and Death are part of a delicate balance.” He explained, clasping his hands together.

Salem stared at him, and the tears stopped streaming from her eyes, instead were replaced with… disbelief.

“So… you won’t do it then?” Salem stammered.

Light’s hands tensed while still clasped. “To disrupt the cycle…” His voice became terse.

“So after I came all this way… after everything… you won’t give me this one thing?” Salem questioned. She wasn’t even staring at him anymore. Light stared right back. “That’s not fair… THAT’S NOT FAIR!” Her eyes ignited as she erupted with fury, blasting a massive pulse of fire… but even his golden fields were unaffected by her destructive powers.

He stared her down, then lowered his arms.

“Let. Him. Rest.” The Brother of Light warned. The golden petals swirled around her and she was teleported back to his shrine. She stood there alone, grasping the Sceptre even tighter. She stared up at the sky as the sun set.

“No…” she growled.

The setting sun was replaced by the moon, and it was not shattered yet. “The God of Darkness…”

Salem stood before the shadow people on the floor, then her eyes widened. “It took her far longer to track him down, for his domain would change whenever he suited it. Unlike the Brother of Light. And his new home… was scarily familiar.” Jinn explained. They watched as Salem walked up the hill, and she saw the rolling hills she burned to ash with her magic. And the old castle she grew up in, still scorched…

… but the land had been transformed in the years since she fled.

It always seemed to be a nighttime with a deep purple sky, and there were these glowing purple crystals protruding from the ground that never used to be there. The Grimm Tar Pits were scattered all over the landscape, and with them the endless roars of the Grimm echoed over the hills.

“With so much death and pain that happened here… Darkness and his Grimm had more than enough raw negative energy soaked in the burnt floor to nourish themselves off.” Jinn stated. Salem narrowed her blue eyes and walked down the hill covered in ash towards the largest Tar Pit. It was surrounded by huge rock spikes and had one large cliff face looking over it. Salem could remember there used to be a gorgeous lake here, one that she completely evaporated with that magical blast.

The Grimm watched her as she walked towards the pit, and a Beowulf lunged towards her viciously, only for her to blast it back to the Oblivion of which it crawled from. She completely ignored the surrounding creatures, and they even seemed to fear the power she wielded.

“None ever dared to enter the home of the cruelest god, for the world knew what monstrosities emerged from his blackened pools of annihilation.” Jinn explained. Salem stopped before the pit, seeing the melted bones of a knight with a sword rammed through the ribs. Judging by the melted and scorched armour… it was the corpse of the Seneschal. She closed her eyes with grief for her, but walked towards the edge of his pool, staring bravely ahead.

“And so you must understand the Dark Lord’s surprise when he found a lonely beautiful woman kneeling before him.” Jinn stated. Pyrrha stared ahead, stood beside Salem on her knees.

Pyrrha watched in horror as the Brother of Darkness emerged from the pool of thick black tar. His body, just as she knew him now, rose, but it was nowhere near as elegant as Light’s emergence. His torso and head emerged swiftly, with his arms snapping into position. His body stretched like there were no bones, but the snapping sounds seemed to say otherwise, as he bent backwards and stared at her.

But Salem didn’t even flinch. She just stared him down.

The Brother of Darkness walked on all fours, and once he approached her, his body snapped upright into a more humanoid shape. “Salem understood it well and told him of her loss. And claimed that only he could be the one to bring back her love… all while careful not to mention his elder.”

Pyrrha scoffed.

Feeding his ego…

The Brother of Darkness held out his hand, softly chuckling. “Rise child… and let your faith in me be rewarded.” The Brother of Darkness said. He opened his palm and a sphere of glowing purple energy formed in the air. Salem smiled as she watched the Dark Brother’s magic at play, and then it burst, dropping a naked Ozma onto the floor. She immediately dropped his Sceptre and rushed to his side, cradling him in her arms. His eyes burst open, and he gasped, grasping at his chest.

“Where am I? WHAT IS THIS? WHERE AM I?” Ozma screamed in terror, looking around at the charred remnants of what was once their home. Seeing the glowing red eyes of Grimm all staring him down, licking their jaws and growling.

But Salem gently lifted him up, hugging him.

“It’s okay! Everything’s going to be okay!” She laughed with joy until a blinding light made her stare up at the top of the hill as she walked down.

And there he stood.

The Brother of Light.

“What have you done?” The Brother of Light growled. Salem held Ozma close as she saw the Brother of Darkness walk forward.

“I have done what I please, brother. You may bask in the powers of creation, but you do not own them.” The Brother of Darkness stated.

This is not creation.” He sounded disgusted as he gestured at the reincarnated man.

“Do not lecture me!” The Brother of Darkness yelled, and his Grimm all turned to the Brother of Light, snarling as they prowled towards him.

“I will do what I must to maintain order.” He said, holding out his hand to Ozma and waving him aside. Salem stared into his eyes as he looked up at her.

“Salem?” He gasped, before crumbling into dust in her hands.

“NO! NOOO! What did you do? BRING HIM BACK!” Salem screamed.

“You dare enter my domain and show such disrespect?” His voice darkened as his horns grew.

Like a child, Darkness swung his hand and resurrected Ozma once again. “Ozma!” Salem cried out with relief.

“I am abiding by the rules that we agreed upon!” The Brother of Light, his shadowy brother sinisterly laughed at his words. The two Gods walked towards each other, fists clenched as they transformed.

“Rules I see now ever work in your favour.” Wings sprouted from Darkness’ back, those of a dragon. “And yet, the day comes a mortal comes to pray at my feet before your own? So do you arrive to lay your judgement upon me!” Darkness roared, transforming into a horrifying four legged Dragon, with the head resembling that of a Ram’s Skull. He roared hauntingly at the Brother of Light, who just stared him down.

The Grimm all leapt at the Brother, but a blinding white light erupted from his body, vaporising the Grimm instantly. As the light faded, the Brother of Light had formed into a giant Wyrm, glowing with magnificent white light and.

“I know we have our differences, but I did not come here with the aim to control you. The same, however, cannot be said for her. This woman came to you only after I denied her pleas. Pleas that would have disrupted the balance that you and I created… together.” The Brother of Light explained.

Darkness stood there, staring down at Salem, then he sighed, looking back up at his Elder Brother. “Then it seems I owe you an apology… allow me to correct my mistake.” Salem gasped and wrapped her arms around Ozma, and the Brother of Darkness blasted purple fire over her and Ozma. She closed her eyes, awaiting the end… but no end came, and there was no pain.

But the weight of her love was gone… and when her eyes opened, she found nothing but ashes drifting away from her fingers. “No… you monsters! Have I not been robbed of everything already? Have you not punished me enough for being born the way I was?” Salem roared at the two Gods, who stared her down. “He was the one thing I ever had!”

She tightened her hands into fists and suddenly screamed with undying fury, creating the same nuclear blast that she created here before, but it did not last for long, as the Brother of Light cut her short. He swung his tail around and smacked her across the domain, crashing into the wall.

The Serpentine Dragon flew swiftly towards her whilst Darkness landed beside her. His icy breath made her shudder, but she fearlessly stared back at them. Light leaned down towards her. His voice was much darker and more intimidating now in his authentic form, and he growled deeply. “You should be punished for your transgressions against us… but we will not, for the very reasons you have listed.”

“We will not?” Darkness questioned, sounding disappointed.

“No… you will walk free of this place and will move on with your life. But do not cross us again – we will not be as forgiving if you do.” The Brother of Light warned. Fading away, Darkness snarled and turned away from her, walking into the shadows.

Salem laid in the rubble and stared up at the sky, tears streaming from her eyes.

“Once again… after so much effort, and after being so close – Salem walked away with nothing.” Jinn explained. “And yet, holding him in her arms? It proved something to her… it could be done. Death did not have to be the end, and she could still have him back. And she would never give up.”

Pyrrha watched her, seeing parts of herself in the way she was so desperate to bring the man she loved back from death itself. She turned and saw Salem watching her past actions. They watched as memories unfolded as Salem broke into the libraries of so many kingdoms around the world. Breaking into the Forbidden Magics areas where only the best Magicians could go.

And she found them… old tomes with magical spells, with abilities the Gods forbade.

“You must understand… when the Brother of Darkness gifted magic to humanity, it meant they could use any spell. But the Gods put in place their rules, and the people followed those rules meticulously. But Salem… she knew they were fallible. She turned them against each other. Their rules did not have to govern her life… and she would never give up on Ozma. Not when they had so much more life to spend with each other.”

The memories shifted, and Oscar gasped in horror.

He watched as Salem strapped a grown man to a bed, and she held a knife over his chest, chanting in dark words. More and more she looked like the Witch the world painted her as and even sounded as one too. “Salem became fascinated by the Dark Arts of Magic, after seeing what Darkness could do? She wanted the same power… she needed him back in her life. No matter the cost… no matter how horrific or bloody the methods are.”

She stabbed him in the chest, cutting his cavity open as he shrieked in unending agony, using the blood to paint the markings she needed, and ripping out his heart. Using the blood within the organ, she oozed it over the floor, making the mark she needed to complete the spell.

Penny looked away, horrified by what she just witnessed. Cinder stared at Salem though… like she was not surprised by what she was seeing. In fact, this was the first time she saw Salem look familiar to what she knew.

She held out her hands, and her eyes turned black, and dark purple energy swirled all around her. The blood on the walls and the body on the table ignited, and the flames burned bright. The fire turned into purple energy, swirling into a ball before her, identical to the spell that the Brother of Darkness cast last time. And then, as she held it over the bed, she opened her hand.

She dropped to one knee, as the act took a lot of energy out of her… but as she lifted her head… she gasped. “After so many fruitless attempts…” Jinn said. Salem smiled. “There he was…”

Ozma laid naked on the bed, and his eyes slowly opened. She swiftly climbed onto the bed and lifted him onto her knee and affectionately caressed his cheek. “Salem?” He gasped, looking around. “W-Where…”

“It’s okay… I promise you… it’s okay.” She whispered, before lovingly kissing him.

“Finally… she saved the man she loved.”

“How is this possible?” Ozma asked her. She smiled as she caressed his cheek. “It’s… been a long time since I lost you. But I never gave up… I never could. I have done… bad things… but I had to do them to save you… it was unfair what happened to us. But now… now… you and I can have what we always wanted to share.” Salem smiled, and he smiled back, and they shared a long and passionate kiss together.

“But their joy… was short-lived.” Jinn spoke. She turned when she heard the crackle of lightning. It was not normal.

“Stay here.” Salem requested, and she stood up from the bed. He looked over and saw some clothes she got for him, but she opened the door and walked outside.

The house she had been living in was a small cabin in the mountains, and she looked around. The wind had picked up, and there was a chill in the air. Ruby watched as the clouds parted, and the massive Glowing Wyrm descended from above, roaring across the mountains.

It was here that Salem had a good scale of who she had angered.

The Brother of Light soared over the massive Anima Mountains, and landed on the peak of the closest one, and he was colossally large, creating an earthquake from his landing. His huge serpentine body slivered and wrapped around the vast mountain range in the distance.

She turned as the sky darkened behind her, and the huge Dragon of Darkness descended, and landed severely on the mountain right behind her, dragging his claws through the rocks. His huge black wings extended outwards, growling deeply.

The Brother of Light stared at her, his silver eyes narrowing. “I know what you did.” The Brother of Light stated, sounding disgusted.

Salem narrowed her eyes, clenching her hands into fists. “You refused to give me what I asked… so I did it myself.” Salem stated.

“You have committed crimes of the worst magnitude. You have sacrificed the life of an innocent man to save someone who died many years ago from a fate that was already decided. Such foul magic… it is not what we desired for mankind.” The Brother of Light explained as he walked across the mountains, huge massive claws easily shearing through the rocks.

“Humans slaughter each other in droves, burn castles and innocents alive for their own enjoyment. Yet you judge me for doing what I had to do to save someone I loved?” Salem questioned.

“You are meddling with the Balance of Life and Death! You cannot even begin to comprehend the dangers of such acts.” The Brother of Light yelled, his voice was deafening, even causing avalanches.

“I deemed the risk to be worth it. You wouldn’t understand… you’re a god… you have all the time in the world. But I don’t… and I cannot spend another second in this world without him.” Salem explained.

The Brother of Darkness finally spoke up, in the form of a haunting laugh. She looked over her shoulder, then the Brother smashed her cabin apart with his tail, revealing Ozma within. He was already dressed, though, and was approaching the door, anyway. He stared at the two Gods and sighed.

“Ozma…”

“Ah, there he is… the abomination that cowers inside.” The Brother of Darkness snarled viciously.

“No… coward…” Ozma winced, still struggling to walk after being brought back from the Afterlife like that. “I was never gonna stay in there.”

“Ozma… please…” Salem begged.

“We gave you a chance last time for your transgressions… but this? This cannot go unpunished.” The Brother of Light stated.

“Try to understand!” She yelled. The Brother of Light slightly tilted his head. “Before I met him… I had nothing in this world! Nothing! I was just some poor girl born with more power than she deserved… and everyone hated me for it. But I never wanted to hurt a soul… but my father continuously had doctors prod away at me. Try to take away the gifts I was born with… can you imagine how much I loathed myself?” Salem questioned to the two Gods who listened to her words.

Ozma stood behind her, and she smiled. A tear streamed down her face. “But then Ozma came into my life… and the second I met him… I finally felt alive. He would always bravely be by my side, always help me… and when I was lonely… he made me happy. He’s Noble and True.”

The Gods of Light and Darkness growled slightly as they narrowed their eyes, listening. But Ozma’s eyes widened at her words. “When we first met, I wanted to end my life, but without knowing anything about me… he spent an entire day with me, just to make me happy. And he made me happy every single day since then. He’s smart, and kind, and brave… and he’s the love of my life. And always will be.” Salem told.

Ozma smiled with pure love in his eyes, and they both held hands together, staring at the two gods. “So please… do not take away the one thing I have left.” She begged.

Silence filled the Mountains…

… until the Brother of Darkness’ heartless demonic laugh filled the peaks. The huge Dragon lifted his head through the clouds as he laughed, then stared down at them. “Is that all?”

Pyrrha’s eyes widened when she heard him say that.

“You heartless bastards…” Pyrrha snarled.

“The Balance of Life and Death will not be dishonoured. Not by anyone.” The Brother of Light snarled. Neither cared for a word Salem said. She gritted her teeth and channelled all her magical power into her fists, only for the Brother of Light to blast a bolt of lightning into a side. The blast threw her across the rocks and against the wall.

Ozma stared at her… and he just smiled.

“I love you, Sal-” Before he could finish, Darkness blasted a pillar of purple fire down upon him, and she watched in heartbreak as he shrieked in immense agony, his body slowly crumbling away into ashes, leaving his skeleton behind, which eventually crumbled away too.

“NO! YOU MONSTERS!” Salem bellowed, immediately blasting up into the air and firing everything she had into the side of Darkness’ head. The magical power knocked him to the side, but did hardly anything.

She turned and gasped, seeing the Brother of Light’s jaws opening towards her.

Suddenly she was falling, tears dripped from her eyes as she gasped. She turned as she plummeted, screaming and crashing down into the Fountain of Creation. She floated to the bottom and just accepted it, closing her eyes, wanting nothing but the icy hands of death to take her.

What else could she lose?

Abruptly, she was suddenly on the surface of the water, and it felt like solid ground. She spluttered water, then looked ahead to see the Brothers Grimm in their Humanoid Forms before her.

“When you first came to me… I did pity you…” The Brother of Light spoke. She stared at him with hatred in her eyes. “But it is clear that your selfishness and arrogance have led you astray.”

Then… she felt… different… her body felt completely alien to her, like she was someone else entirely. But when she looked at her reflection, she still saw her same beautiful face, and it was all the same… except for the strange alien aura that surrounded her body that shimmered faintly. “What did you do to me?” She gasped.

“I have made you Immortal.” The Brother of Light answered.

“Immortal?” Salem questioned, her voice shaking.

“You cannot die. You cannot be with your beloved.” The Brother of Darkness clarified.

Then they both spoke in unison. “So long as this world turns, you shall walk its face.”

She tightened her hand into a fist in anger.

“You must understand the importance of life and death… only then may you rest.” The Brother of Light stated, but Salem roared in hatred, blasting towards him, swinging her fist forward.

Only to suddenly be in a field, in the middle of nowhere.

She dropped to her knees and buried her head in her hands, sobbing over the loss of her love once again.

And now… the Gods have taken the ability to join him away too.

What more could they take from her?

“Salem was a prisoner once again.” Jinn stated. Ruby looked at Salem with sadness in her silver eyes, then looked at the Current Version who was watching all these events over again. The hatred in her eyes… it was quite frightening… but she knew who that hate was directed at. “Her fruitless attempts to reunite with Ozma, became nothing more than acts of defiance against the gods.” Jinn narrated, and Penny watched in shock as Salem rammed a sword straight through her heart.

She gasped, covering her face, looking away.

Salem ripped the sword out, stained in her own blood… but she didn’t care. She walked to the window of the house she was in, staring at the land. “And defiance? Well, it was not enough… and soon it changed into hatred.”

Salem tightened her grip on the sword. “The Gods are so determined to preserve the Balance of Life and Death? Well, how about they experience the latter?” Salem yelled in rage, throwing her sword directly at Ruby. She rolled out of the way, only to see the blade turn into smoke.

“Salem desired nothing more than revenge, a desire to cut the gods down. She already had immense power and now had the advantage of being unable to die. The two combined made her deadly – but she knew she could not do it alone.” Jinn explained, and Ozpin bowed his head in grief.

The memories continued on, showing Salem meeting with the very Kings and Queens who put the bounties on her head for her existence. “Salem travelled to every Kingdom across Remnant. Telling tales of how she stole the power of immortality from the Gods, welcomed any swordsman to cut her down. And demonstrated the reach of her powers. With those who desired her death in awe, she pulled them deeper and deeper into her scheme. She painted them pictures of a world where they would no longer have to watch their loved ones wither and die. That they could claim the powers of their creators for themselves and in turn perfect their own design.” Jinn narrated, and they watched as every single Kingdom followed Salem.

The largest horde of soldiers all came charging toward the Brother of Light’s domain, roaring with fury as they charged up the stone stairs. “All they had to do… was help her cut down their old masters.”

The vast army charged towards the lake, and that was when the Brother of Light burst from the water, hissing down at them, glowing fiercely brightly. And the Brother of Darkness landed in front of them, roaring so loud they covered their ears. Although, they did not back down.

“The Gods had hoped that Salem would have learned from her eternal curse… and she did…” Jinn said. “She learned that the hearts of men are easily swayed.”

“Who has led you down this path?” The Brother of Light questioned the Humans.

Salem walked through the army, staring up at them, and Darkness snarled with anger at her. “You!” He barked, roaring at her. Salem’s eyes burned bright, and she fired the first shot, then the entire army followed. Shooting every arrow and magical spell they had. But the arrows just snapped off their celestial bodies, and the Brother of Darkness opened his hand, catching all the magic and snatching it away from them all.

Everyone stared up at him with fear, desperately trying to use the magic they were so used to using.

“My own gift, to them? Used against me?” The Brother of Darkness growled, and Light sighed, looking away. He held the ball of pure Magic in his palm, then crushed it, creating a devastating blast of destructive energy. The blast wrapped around Remnant in seconds, burning every single Human into ash, leaving only their ruins behind… and their ashes.

Salem’s body shone faintly, and she gasped, looking at the ashes. “No… no…”

Darkness slammed his foot down at her. The impact blew her across the floor. “You thought there was no greater punishment we could bestow upon you?”

“I’ll come back! I’ll bring more warriors. They will flock to kill you after this massacre!” Salem yelled, but that laugh the Brother of Darkness uttered returned.

“You do not understand… there is no one left.” The Brother of Darkness stated, his huge Dragon Head looking her dead in the eyes. Salem’s eyes widened as soon as she realised what just happened. “You… are all that remains of humanity.”

The Brother of Light sighed. “Look what you have done, Salem… this planet was a beautiful experiment. But it is merely a Remnant of what it once was. We will learn from this failure. I hope you will learn from yours.” The Brother of Light said as he faded away.

“No… No, don’t you dare! Don’t you leave! COME BACK!” Salem roared. The Brother of Darkness scoffed at her efforts.

“Still demanding things of your creators?” He said, before blasting up into the sky.

Salem was left alone, with nothing but a Full Moon watching over her, and she could do nothing but howl with defeat.

“Once again… Salem was alone…”

The blue smoke revealed Salem walking aimlessly through the ruins of what was once her people’s civilisation. Only wildlife and the Grimm remained, echoes of the Brothers’ Grimm. “She cursed the gods, she cursed the universe, she cursed everything… everything but herself.”

As Salem watched these events, she gritted her teeth in anger.

“She wandered the face of the planet awaiting a death that would never come… until finally… her travels brought her back to the Valley of Darkness… to what was once her home.” Jinn explained, and they all watched as Salem stood over the Tar Pit the Brother of Darkness emerged from. And with the Brother of Darkness gone, this would be the final location of his Domain… the same location that it was at to this very day.

Evernight.

“This was it… this had to be it…” Jinn said, as bubbles of black tar rose and burst from its surface. “The Brothers’ Grimm, the Pools of Black, that continued to give rise to horrific nightmares. If the Fountain of Creation granted Salem immortality, then surely the Pools of Grimm would finally take it away?”

Salem closed her eyes… and let herself drop into the tar, crashing into it.

She sunk slowly, awaiting an end… only for something else.

“She was wrong.”

Unknown forces of unending destruction attacked her in the darkness, slashing across her body, trying to burn, consume, crush… any form of destruction. “This force of pure destruction could not destroy a being of infinite life.”

From the tar, Salem’s hand burst free, pale white, and it dug down into the stone. “Instead, it created a being of Infinite Life with a Desire for Pure Destruction.”

Salem clambered from the pit, and stared up, with endless fury on her face… and her beautiful blue eyes, replaced with blood red ones, and her sclera turned black. And hair turned white like her skin.

In that moment… the Salem they knew was born.

The Dark Queen was forged.

“And in time… she would find her adversary…”

Chapter 31: The Lost Fable - Pt. 2

Chapter Text

Ozma

 

Pyrrha stared ahead. She was surrounded by a blinding white realm, a place that looked completely alien to her. But the only two beings she saw… were the two Gods in her head. They both stared back at her, their faces blank of any expression or features.

“You bastards…” Pyrrha growled.

“You look at us with judgement in your eyes… but you do not see the fate existence will face if the balance is destroyed.” Light stated, hands held together.

“You could have spared her! Spared her from all the torment you caused her!” Pyrrha yelled. “Instead, all you did was make the very monster we face today.”

Salem glanced over at Pyrrha. She could not see the Brothers, but she could sense their presence even now. Everyone looked at Pyrrha, knowing who she was talking to.

“We did what we did in order to protect the balance…” Light defended. Pyrrha then stared at his younger brother, who had yet to say a word.

“All in life is choice. That is paramount. Without choice, life is sparse, destined to fail under one’s misguided despotism. Do you not see the parallels? Salem takes choice and grinds it to ash. Life… under her… is doomed to fail.” The Brother of Darkness stated, but Pyrrha just shook her head.

“Because you refused to give her the one thing she begged you for. The one thing.” Pyrrha stammered.

“You cannot even imagine the consequences of such an action. If one reverses the path of life and death, the consequences are worse than you could possibly imagine, child.” The Brother of Light stated. “The Balance of the two must be protected.”

“I was blinded by this fact, and I corrected my mistake. Bring back one soul lost to the infinite void… how many more will come begging for our mercy?” Darkness questioned, then Pyrrha turned as she heard Salem chuckle.

“Let me guess… they are still defending their decision to keep Ozma from returning? For judging me guilty when I took it upon myself?” Salem questioned, turning her head to Pyrrha. Her skin prickled with goosebumps at hearing Salem speak directly to her, but she looked at the Dark Queen.

“Something like that.” Pyrrha admitted.

Salem scoffed. “If you think their hypocrisy and cruelty is horrific already… then you will be shocked to see what they are capable of… to protect their damned balance.”

Pyrrha looked at Ruby, Cinder and Penny, who looked just as concerned.

Oscar looked at Salem and then at Ozpin, who stood there, his eyes still closed as he exhaled. “Why does this feel so… familiar?” Oscar mumbled to himself. Ozpin sighed, but Salem spoke up.

“Because now it is time for you to understand how you came to be who you are. Oscar Pine.” Salem stated. His eyes widened, and he turned, seeing the body of Ozma laid upon the floor of blinding whiteness. He approached his side and crouched down, reaching out to him. It was only now that he saw how similar he looked. Even Salem noticed the similarities between her beloved Ozma and the newest reincarnation of him.

Ozma’s eyes weakly opened, and he groaned, sitting up slowly, until he heard a familiar voice.

“Ozma…” The Brother of Light spoke. He turned around after walking around, then saw the Brother of Light in his giant Wyrm Form. He shone brightly and shrunk back down into his humanoid form, hands held together in front of his body.

“You…” Ozma growled, narrowing his eyes at him.

“I understand your resentment towards me… and my Brother… but what we did… it was necessary. Surely you can understand that.” The Brother of Light explained.

“Understand it? Letting me stay dead was one thing, but tormenting Salem? That’s something else entirely.” Ozma retorted, but the Brother barely even reacted to his words, then he bowed his head. Ozma noted his mood, and he raised a brow. “Why am I here? What happened?”

It took the Brother a few moments to actually speak, but like always, he eventually spoke up. “Do you know where we are?”

Ozma looked around. He had not really pondered that question. “No…”

“We are between realms. The region of existence between life and death.” The Brother of Light explained. “I’m afraid a great tragedy has befallen your world… and your people… at the hands of my brother.”

Pyrrha glanced at her side when she heard the Brother of Darkness scoff. “As always… blaming your younger brother when everything fails. As if you did not have your hand in the muck as well.”

They’re like children…

“What did he do?” Ozma questioned.

“Humanity was corrupted by unspeakable dark magic. This magic twisted them and turned them against us one day. And my Brother erased them before I could cure them of their sickness.” The Brother of Light lied. Pyrrha gritted her teeth in anger, clenching her hand into a fist.

“Sounds like the only thing the Brother of Light was apt at was in crafting lies.” Cinder stated, crossing her arms.

Ruby looked at Salem and Ozpin.

They both shared the same expression when they stared at that God. There was so much resentment on their faces. He was the one who lied to them all, twisted events to make himself look like the good guy.

That was all that mattered to the Brother of Light.

That he was loved by all… that he was as pure as his light… but he was shrouded in just as much darkness as his brother.

“We have departed this world, but in our absence I would like to offer you the chance to return to it.” He revealed, everyone bar the two who lived through these events gasped with disbelief at his words.

“What?” Ozma questioned. “You mean to tell me that you forced me to die repeatedly… tormented Salem because she just wanted me back… and now you want me to return to the shell of my home?”

“It may seem odd… but you are Remnant’s best chance at salvation in our absence.” The Brother of Light explained.

“I… don’t understand…”

“Mankind is no more, but Remnant remains, and in time, your kind will walk its surface once more. However, without our presence or our gifts, they will be merely a fraction of what they once were.” The Brother of Light explained.

He held out his hands, and four golden flashes burst out before Ozma, revealing four objects forming into the air, all grey and lifeless at the moment, but slowly, three developed their golden colour and blue glows… and the other was black as obsidian, magma flowing through it and fire trailing from its blade.

A Staff, a Crown, a Lamp and a Sword.

“Creation, Choice, Knowledge and Destruction…” The Brother of Light stated, letting the four Relics rotate in the air. “… were the ideals upon which humanity was made. “Now, I leave them behind in the hope that you will learn to remake yourselves.” The four relics merged together into a sphere of pure golden energy which he held in his palm. “If brought together, these four relics will summon my brother and I back to your world… and humanity will be judged.”

Ozma stared at the Brother of Light with wide eyes. “If your kind has learned to live in harmony with one another, and set aside their differences, then we shall once again live among you. And humanity will be made whole again.” The Brother of Light explained. “But if your kind is unchanged, if you demand our blessings whilst still fighting amongst yourselves, then humanity will be found irredeemable – and we will wipe your world from existence.” The Brother of Light explained.

Ozma fell to his knees, shocked by what he has just been told, and behind him stood Oscar, who felt just as shocked as his predecessor. “Until your task is complete – you will reincarnate. But in a manner that ensures you are never alone.” The Brother of Light explained.

There it is… that’s how he got his curse…

“You’ve missed out something…” Ozma spoke up, getting the Brother’s attention. “You said a corruption affected Humanity… how? And is it gone?”

“No… the source of that corruption remains. And we have created a weapon of which that is powerful enough to destroy it.” He explained, Team C.P.P.R’s eyes widened and Salem narrowed hers. “The Relic of Destruction – the source of such corruption was so powerful… that the only means of destroying it now… is by using a weapon capable… of killing a god.”

The words struck deep, and Pyrrha gasped, turning to the Brothers of Light and Darkness.

Even now… they seemed afraid.

Then it hit Pyrrha.

By the gods…

… Salem has the Relic of Destruction…

… and if Salem brings together all the Relics, they will return…

… that means…

“I’m sorry… but that world means nothing to me… without her…” Ozma answered. The Brother of Light stared down at him, and Ruby noticed his hands tense slightly.

So did Pyrrha…

… it was like he was…

… afraid.

“If I may, I would rather return to the Afterlife… so I can finally be with Salem.” Ozma requested.

“You will not find her there.” The Brother of Light said.

“W-What? But you said…”

“I know what I said.” His tone changed, becoming quite darker. He sighed and walked away from Ozma and lowered his head. “Salem still lives, but the woman you hold dear in your memories is gone. Take heed – where you seek comfort you will only find pain.”

Ozma remained knelt, contemplating the Brother’s words.

“So… will you…”

“I’ll do it.” Ozma interrupted.

The Brother of Light showed an inkling of doubt on his intentions, all by the raising of his brow, but he needed his champion. “Very well. Our creation rests in your hands.” The Brother of Light concluded. He shone blindingly bright, and that light took Ozma with him.

Jinn’s voice returned from the void.

“And so – Ozma was reborn.”

He gasped, breathing through lungs that were not his own, and he sat upright, stumbling across the floor. He panted and coughed, tasting blood in his mouth, feeling his body ache and gazing upon the golden glow of flames that burned the nearby village. Screaming surrounded him as he looked around.

Where am I?” Ozma stammered inside of the mind of someone completely different to himself.

“HELP!” a stranger shrieked in terror. He rammed a Pitchfork into the chest of a Beowulf, but it was not enough to kill the beast. The Beowulf smacked the back of its hand across the man’s cheek, knocking him onto the floor. Ozma took action and seized the body of the man he was inhabiting.

He picked up a sword on the floor and sprinted at the Beowulf, cutting across its chest in one strike, then up its arm as it swiped at his face. The Beowulf roared in immense pain, which was instantly silenced as Ozma drove the sword straight through its open jaws. The Creature of Grimm crumbled away into ashes, its remains carried off in the wind.

The man he saved from the slain Grimm immediately grabbed onto his shoulder, turning him around. “T-Thank you! You saved my life! Who are you?”

But Ozma couldn’t find the words, because in that moment he looked down at his reflection in the puddle.

He staggered back in shock.

His new body had brown skin, similar to his original body, but had platinum blond hair. He wore a white tank top, leather gloves and boots, and brown pants, along with a blue sash tied around his waist, and a pendant with a green jewel. Oscar immediately knew which incarnation this was… he had spoken with this one – it was The Farmer.

Ozma looked at his new hands, and still could not find words, with his mind still rattling in shock from his first reincarnation. Oscar watched with saddened eyes, strangely remembering that feeling. “He didn’t know…”

The memory continued on. The blue smoke formed a morbid looking market town, barely getting by.

“Ozma had found himself in a world completely unfamiliar to him.” Jinn continued. “Cities looked different. Creatures called the Faunus bore fangs and claws and were locked in cages, despite looking exactly the same as any other Human being bar their Animal Features. And without the blessing of the gods, mankind was no longer capable of wielding magic like they once could… not like Ozma could still wield. The world used something else – Dust. The remains of his own kind, left behind after the Brother of Darkness’ massacre, and that very dust still containing the power of the elements that they once had.” Jinn explained.

Dust… it’s… what remains of the Old World?

By the gods…

All these revelations, all these realisations… it was so much to take in. Team C.P.P.R and Oscar could barely keep up with Jinn’s narration.

“Nobody… in the entire world could use magic… nobody but himself… and a woman the locals referred to as – The Witch.” Jinn explained, and the memory showed Ozma walking for miles, and finally arriving at an eerie cabin in the woods. His hand trembled as he stared at the home.

Penny stood on the path, watching as Ozma cautiously approached the house. “During his years of travel, learning about this new world he was reborn into and the new soul he was merged with… Ozma heard of many tales. From the whispers of the beast Valravn which wandered the desolate lands of war, to the culling of innocent Faunus.” Jinn explained as Ozma walked closer and closer to the house. “But most of all – he heard tales of a powerful sorceress who could command the beasts of darkness and the land itself. Holding power far beyond what any semblance could possibly attain.”

The Farmer stood at the wooden steps, looking up at the closed door, heart hammering with anticipation. “Ozma was convinced that this witch was his beloved Salem. And knew he needed to see for himself… what she had become…”

The door opened, and she walked outside, and stared down at him with gritted teeth, clenched fists and glowing red eyes. The sky darkened above them… Ozma just smiled. Salem stared down at him… and her terse glare softened into that of… disbelief. “Call it magic, or call it something stronger. But in that moment the two knew exactly who it was who stood before them.” Jinn narrated.

Salem’s skin had become a permanent pale white shade, same as her hair, whilst the white of her sclera was now black and her irises were always blood red. She wore a familiar black and red dress as well over her body. They both stood before one another, both reborn in their own ways – and their hands looped together… like nothing had changed.

“What do we do now?” Ozma asked her.

She smiled. “Whatever we like…”

They all watched as time flew by, and the house slowly healed from its broken and haunting exterior to something far more pleasant to look at. Repairing the windows, replacing the rotten wooden planks, decorating it with gorgeous flowers. “As Salem and Ozma recounted the events which had brought them back together, each withheld parts of their story.” The blue smoke formed Salem and Ozma sat on the decking outside the house, at a table as they talked. Salem had her hand gently supporting her chin as she spoke whilst Ozpin’s arm was held up, with a mug filled with hot tear hung off his finger.

“Salem, fearing Ozma would reject her, blamed the end of the world on the gods, and hiding the truth that she was the one who turned humanity against the Gods out of spite. Whereas Ozma, still unsure of where the truth lay, kept his task and the relics a secret.” Jinn narrated. “Though time passed, and all seemed well, Ozma’s conversation with the Brother of Light still lingered in his mind. He had found happiness, but mankind was more divided now than ever before. Different factions slaughtered each other in droves, and the hatred the humans shared for the Faunus made no sense to him, for every Faunus he had ever spoken to was no different than a Human – barring their physical differences.”

Inside of the house, the two continued on this topic together, and Ozma was leant beside the wall. “It just… makes little sense to me… why are they like this? I know our kind were never perfect but… the way the humans treat the Faunus is just…” Ozma failed to find the words to describe the thoughts rattling around in his mind.

“Are you really so surprised?” She asked. “Do you remember how they viewed me?”

He sighed, closing his eyes sadly. “Yes…”

“Humanity… it’s greatest flaw is how they view things that are different to them. Anything that is remotely different in any way… they will always choose hate, violence and blood over understanding. Because killing is easier than tolerating.” Salem explained. She, too, sounded disgusted by how humanity acts.

And as Ozma thought about it… it really was the one thing that both versions of Humanity had in common, without their magic from old times.

Hate was the one thing humanity retained.

“This world is quite literally godless. These humans have no one to guide them.” Salem said, looking down at the mug in her hands. “Perhaps that’s all they need.”

Ozma quizzically raised a brow. “What are you saying?” Ozma asked her, setting his mug down on the counter. Salem stared at her reflection as she spoke.

“We can become the Gods of this world, our powers surpass all others. Our souls transcend death itself. We can mould these lands… this civilisation into whatever we want. What you want? Create the paradise the Old Gods could not.” Salem suggested. He stood there and pondered her words. And upon feeling her hand gently touch his, he smiled.

We can…

… we can do it…

He smiled at her, and she reciprocated that smile. “The hearts of men… are easily swayed.” Jinn’s words echoed in their minds. Then the vision passed onward to a village under siege from the Grimm.

Civilians screamed in terror as they fled from the monsters charging through the street, and a huge Nevermore soared over the buildings. Its shrieks spreading fear like a disease. A woman cradled her baby close to her chest as she desperately fled from the beasts, and a pack of Sabyrs sprinted after her. She yelped, tripping and falling forward, and her primal instinct was to shield her baby from the beasts as they leapt towards her.

Until Ozma suddenly slashed straight through them all with a single strike, with the very Sceptre that Salem kept after all these years. The Sabyrs all crumbled into dust and she looked at him with wide eyes, in a new set of clothes.

He wore a more regal attire, featuring a dark grey coat with black shoulder pads along with details in light blue and dark blue cuffs. Under his coat, he wore a dark blue dress shirt with light blue linings and details and donned white gloves upon his hands. He also wore grey pants and black shoes. He smiled at her and the others, who watched as he levitated off the floor. A massive pack of Grimm charged towards him, but he spiralled his Sceptre through his fingers and drove it down into the ground with all his might.

The blast of green energy burned the Grimm into ashes, leaving nothing behind in the wake of his destruction. He lifted his gaze to the Nevermore that dove towards him and the defenceless; he prepared to fight it, only for dark magic to suddenly wrap around its body and crushed it down. Its shrieks echoed across the land, its wings snapped and its beak collapsed into dust. Eventually, it died and disintegrated.

Salem hovered over the humans, eyes glowing red, but she was a saviour. Ozma ascended with her and their hands held together, and the masses bowed before their new gods. In awe of the heroes of immense power that saved them from the monsters.

Oscar and Ruby both stared up at Ozma and Salem, seeing how they were united once… and how the world saw them as gods.

What happened?

Why are things the way they are now?

They were so happy…

The visions passed through the years, showing gorgeous statues of Salem and Ozma, and hundreds, maybe thousands, of people praying to them. And then they saw a land that looked eerily familiar, emerald trees covering the beautiful hills, and blue smoke formed the many buildings, walls and even a gorgeous castle.

“The two amassed a following. That following grew into a prosperous Kingdom…” Jinn narrated, and they all watched as they were brought inside the main castle that overlooked the kingdom they built. Where there was a lovely painting of the two. “And at the head of that kingdom blossomed… a family…” she revealed, and the painting changed, showing four little girls, all with blonde hair.

Salem and Ozma stood with each other, warmly held in each other’s embrace as their daughters played. Ozpin glanced at Salem, who stared at her children as they tugged at the skirt of her past self. Salem closed her eyes with grief, but did not look at Ozpin.

“They had everything… everything they ever wanted back in the Old World. A family, freedom… and power… yet it still didn’t feel like it was right. Or enough.” Jinn explained, as Salem looked down upon the first Seer she ever created, watching her army cutting down people in other towns. A smile formed on her face.

“They created their kingdom… but Salem was never satisfied with their lot in life. And always wanted more… she wanted the entire world. Whilst Ozma was content with what they had created. But she always persuaded him to see her way… but words could not always work. And the cracks showed.” Jinn narrated.

“Are we sure this is right?” Ozma questioned.

Salem glanced at him, noticing how Ozma stared out into the distance, seeing the smoke from the nearby battle. “You said we need to bring humanity together… in order to that, we cannot risk anyone capable of resisting us. No matter how big or small they are…” Salem explained, Ozma winced and looked at his reflection, still trying to see things her way.

Then he heard his voice.

“What are we doing?” The old Ozma spoke in the back of his mind.

He gasped, staggering back with wide eyes. He looked at Salem as she smirked, watching the death and destruction… and he knew… it was time.

“This wasn’t what he asked of me.” Ozma revealed. Her eyes came up, and she stared at him.

“What did you say?”

His eyes met her and he sighed, walking to the end of the room and crossing his arms. “I wasn’t honest with you… and I know you haven’t been honest with me either, Salem.”

Salem walked up to him as he spoke, holding her hands behind her back. “Ozma told Salem everything, the truth about why the God of Light brought him back. The powerful relics scattered across Remnant. And the Day of Judgement he had been told to prepare for.”

As Ozma concluded, Salem stared at him and she walked to the window, looking out at the mountains that stretched out for miles. She exhaled through her nose, bowing her head, then opened her eyes as a possibility entered her mind. “These Relics… you mentioned the Relic of Destruction… a weapon powerful enough to cleanse the corruption from Remnant?” She questioned.

“That’s what he told me.”

Salem laughed softly. “And let me guess… he never told you what caused this, did he?”

“He just told me the source remains.” Ozma confirmed. She closed her eyes and let out a shaky breath and turned to face him, and she looked at her hand.

“You were right – I have been hiding something from you as well. The Brother of Light lied to you when it comes down to what destroyed our kind. Yes, his Brother destroyed them, but he stood by and let him do it… to punish me.”

“You?” Ozma asked.

“I… went to all the kingdoms, and rallied them under the idea that we could slay the gods and take the power. All I wanted was vengeance for what they did to me… to you… but it was meaningless. Because he erased them after I brought them to Light’s Domain.” She explained. “And… that means that they have realised their error… and left behind a weapon that is powerful enough to kill me.” Salem explained.

There it is…

… the Relic of Destruction…

It’s the only way.

Ozma’s eyes widened, and he stammered. But Salem’s eyes widened with inspiration. “Unless…” She gasped. “If they made a weapon capable of killing something immortal… then that means they have inavertly created a weapon that can kill – them.”

Pyrrha’s eyes widened, and she turned to the Brothers Grimm.

Their fear made sense now.

“Salem? What are you saying?” Ozma questioned.

“Don’t you see? Their threats… their demands? Nothing they say matters anymore. Why keep trying to honour the gods who dishonoured us… when we can cut them down and create the paradise they failed to make?” Salem questioned, but Ozma stared back at her.

In the way that asked – who are you?

“We don’t know what the consequences of killing a god are, Salem. It could kill everything… or worse. We have to find another way…” Ozma explained.

“You still defend them? After everything they have done?” Salem questioned.

“I don’t give a damn about the Brothers Grimm. I care about you, and I care about our daughters and the rest of humanity. I don’t want everything to be lost due to… vengeance.” Ozma explained. “It’s a risk not worth taking.”

“If we find the Relics, we can help these people better than we already have. Humans… they are nothing compared to what they once were. And we can do the same for the Faunus. We can create a new civilisation, one where everyone has the powers that they had once. The Relic of Creation can help us create that future.” Salem explained. He stared at her as she caressed his cheek, but he pulled himself away.

“And what about the others? The people who already exist?” Ozma questioned. “What about our daughters? They don’t possess magical powers.”

It was the biggest shock to Ozma, that despite them having magic… their children could not have the same powers.

But Salem knew… that magical power is tied to their souls, not their D.N.A… and being reborn into this world meant they were still the same as any other human.

She stared at him and closed her glowing red eyes and sighed. “Do you truly not comprehend how long I have lived for?”

He raised a brow in confusion. “Ever since you died… ever since the Brothers made me immortal? I walked our world for decades before it was destroyed by Darkness. And then? I lived for thousands of years… alone… and then thousands more as I waited for Humanity and the Faunus to evolve. I have watched millions die… and have watched even more of my children die before you found me.” Salem explained. She then opened her eyes and stared at him.

Ozma’s eyes were streaming with tears. “No… no…” He stammered, his voice broke. “No, this doesn’t make any sense!” He denied, pointing at her. “You love me! You love our daughters, I know you do! I’ve seen it.”

“You have only reincarnated once, Ozma… but in time you will understand what it’s like to never truly have an ending. And then you will see the truth. You may still die and reincarnate, but you will watch everyone you love die… over and over again… and continue to live on with their memory in your mind. That’s not something I wanted for you… but it seems that you have little choice… just as I had no choice either.”

“But to make do with our endless existences, we can ensure that Humankind and Faunuskind and grow to be as powerful as our civilisation once was. We can end world hunger, cure diseases, teach them to use magic that can heal injuries that are fatal to these people. All we have to do… is cull the current generation… and build a new one with the Relic of Creation.” Salem explained as she tried to comfort her love.

Ozma tried to contemplate her words, and he turned when he saw the door slightly open to reveal his four daughters listening. “We’ve already been doing it, Ozma. But with the Relics, we can accomplish our goal more effectively than ever before. All we have to do… is erase the humans as they are… and replace them with their ideal selves.” Salem explained. He wiped his tears away and stared at her.

“Who are we to make that choice, Salem? How does this make us any better than the Gods we despise?” He questioned.

“Because we actually want our people to survive. The Gods care more about their balance… a balance they themselves twisted for their own goals.” Salem reminded, and Ozma shook his head and turned away, burying his head in his hands.

Then Salem coldly added…

“I wish I could tell you I love our girls… but the truth is… I will sacrifice them at the snap of my fingers if I must.” She revealed. The daughters who were listening gasped and Ozma spun around with wide, furious eyes.

“WHAT?” He barked back.

“This is the only way Ozma, the only way to unite Remnant and punish the Brothers.” She went to touch his shoulder, but this time, he smacked her hand away.

“Don’t touch me!” He argued, but she stared back at him, eyes glowing red.

“Calm down…”

“I WILL NOT CALM DOWN! LISTEN TO YOURSELF!” Ozma roared. His eyes glowed as well, and the glass cracked from the magical power amplifying in the room. “What do you think I’m going to do? Go along with this genocidal plan? Let you slaughter my daughters for your selfish desire for revenge? HELL NO! THEY ARE MY GIRLS! THESE ARE MY PEOPLE!” Ozma bellowed.

“The Brothers Grimm betrayed us…”

“I don’t give a shit about that anymore! And I don’t care if I go through a million reincarnations, I will stand in defence of Remnant and its people, and I won’t let you destroy it!” He yelled.

The sky darkened.

“You don’t understand what you’re saying… and I will not… let you stand in my way.” Salem warned. Her eyes glowed brighter. Ozma turned to his daughters and back at Salem, and he clenched his hands into fists.

“I know exactly what I’m saying.” He said, holding out his hand and calling The Long Memory to his palm, spinning the Sceptre through his fingers.

Salem closed her eyes and sighed.

“We finally had freedom…”

She clenched her hand into a fist, and Ozma turned to the daughters. “RUN! RUN AS FAR AS YOU CAN, GIRLS!”

Salem smashed her fist directly into Ozma’s face, so hard it created a shock wave, and he crashed through a pillar. It collapsed around him and he smacked against the wall, groaning in pain. Salem blasted forward and threw him up in the air, and he smashed into the ceiling. As he dropped back down, she darted up and slammed her fist down into his stomach. He plummeted onto the marble floor, shattering it like glass. He groaned as he tried to get back up, but Salem landed in front of him.

He looked up at her as he pushed his knee into the broken floor. “Do you really think you can stop me?” Salem questioned.

Ruby watched with wide eyes. Ozma snarled, and he swung his fist up towards her, but Salem caught his hand effortlessly. A shock wave erupted, blowing the plates and cutlery off the table. She was always more powerful than he was, but the Tar Pits had just made her that much more powerful. She twisted his arm, and he fell to one knee from the pain. Salem suddenly swung him up in the air and smashed his face down into the floor, and launched him through the windows of their home.

He screamed as he flew off, and Salem watched as he got further away.

It’s over…

Red flames ignited from her eyes, and she took off, pursuing her husband. Ozma flipped through the air but used his magic to stay afloat in the air, but Salem immediately collided into him. She punched him in the face, but this time, he grappled onto her, both spinning through the air as they came closer and closer to the ground. “Don’t do this! It’s not too late!” He begged.

“I’m done waiting, Ozma! The Gods have had their time! But they took ours away!” Salem roared, and she kicked him down into the ground. The impact blasted soil everywhere, and the nearby clashing armies turned as Salem hovered over them all. The enemies gritted their teeth and fired their arrows up at her. She narrowed her glowing red eyes and softly growled.

“Salem! Don’t do it!” Ozma begged as he tried to get free from the soil covering him. She looked down at him and then stared at the archers. The arrows all came down around them, and Ozma raised his hands, creating a magical barrier to defend himself, but Salem just let all the arrows hit her. Her body was prickled with arrows sticking out of her body, and she bit down onto one that went through her cheek, spitting the remains out.

“My turn.” Salem smirked, finally embracing the desire for destruction the Tar Pits gave her. She created a single pulse of powerful energy that burned the arrows to dust, and she shot towards the enemies.

She swung her fist through them, killing ten of them in a single strike, and then blasted fire from her hands, burning the men and women alive. They shrieked in intense pain as their armour melted and their skin bubbled from the heat. “No!” Ozma yelled, closing the barrier and he broke free from the rubble, and blasted towards Salem.

She slaughtered them, ten at a time, effortlessly with her extremely powerful magic. She then formed a spear made from magical energy and launched the black and red weapon towards one of the knights who served their Kingdom. He immediately turned and grabbed the man, saving him from Salem. “M-My lord? What is she doing?” He stammered, but Salem appeared behind him.

“Salem… don’t!” He begged.

“Why not?” Salem shrugged, suddenly beheading him with a sword she picked up. Blood sprayed across the floor. Ozma’s eyes were wide with horror.

“No!” He screamed, grabbing the corpse as he collapsed.

“Where was I?” she mumbled. “Ah yes.”

She floated above them and closed her red eyes and held out her hands, forming two giant red signs that formed into portals. Ozma watched in horror as an enormous swarm of Grimm came sprinting through from Evernight. Both sides of the armour howled in terror and agony as countless variants of horrifying Grimm ripped them all to pieces, splattering blood everywhere.

Salem descended before Ozma, and he stared at her in absolute horror. “W-What have you done? ALL THESE PEOPLE? YOU’VE KILLED THEM ALL!”

“You were a Knight. I thought you were used to seeing death.” She scoffed.

“Only to those who were deserving!” Ozma argued.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk… you disappoint me, my dear Ozma. Did seeing these pawns die disturb you? Well, let’s see how you feel after you see this!” Salem yelled, punching Ozma in the face so hard it sent him flying. She then flew towards him and grabbed him by the throat. He looked at her and his eyes widened, realising she was bringing him back to their Kingdom. She then launched him directly into the church tower of their castle, sending him crashing straight through it. He plummeted out the other side but was still moving at the same speed, smashing into the road of the markets.

Where there were so many people…

The impact blasted debris everywhere, killing so many people. He drove his Sceptre down into the floor and his eyes widened when he finally came to a stop. Seeing just how many people just got killed. Blood was splattered everywhere, and guts too, from people who were smashed to pieces by the incoming debris. His eyes widened in horror at what he was looking at. It made him feel sick.

But before he could even think about all these dead people, he saw the Steeple collapse towards the square as well, and a large group of people were there. He went to fly forward but suddenly red glyphs formed behind him, lunging Grimm Arms forward, which grappled onto his limbs and held him back. “No! Salem!” Ozma begged. “I need to help them!”

“No…” Salem commanded, hovering above him.

She landed beside him and held him by the chin, forcing him to watch. “Maybe now… you will listen.” Salem snarled, and he helplessly watched as the tower came crashing down onto the poor people who tried to flee. It was only now that he saw how much blood had covered his body, and the arms released him. When the dust cleared, he saw so much blood… the entire square seemed to slosh with blood from all the dead.

And now the Grimm came pouring in, and he heard all the people shrieking in agony and terror as the Grimm fed on his people. The shadow of Salem loomed over and tears poured down his cheeks. She walked down the rubble towards him. “These people… are meaningless… powerless! They are less than ants without us.” Salem stated, walking towards him, and crushing the skull of a suffering man beneath her heel.

Ozma jolted from seeing her kill yet another person so effortlessly.

“H-How could you do this?”

“This was your fault, Ozma. Your stubbornness to accept the truth is killing these people. I mean… how many more need to die, Ozma? The choice is yours? I can do this all day.” Salem assured, with blood splattered across her right cheek. “And what were they doing with their short-lived… powerless lives… anyway? Stop lying to yourself and wake up, Ozma! You know in your heart that I’m right! The only way for Remnant to go forward is by replacing them!”

“Right? How is any of this right? How can you stand there and tell me that our daughter’s lives mean nothing to you? I know you’re lying! I saw your face when each of them was born! You were happy! You loved them unconditionally!” He argued. Salem stared down at him and sighed.

“I did… for a time… because I thought they were like us… finally. All my life, all the partners I had… every single child was just one more powerless human. I had hoped that with you… maybe an actual human could be born. But they’re nothing… meaningless…” Salem growled.

Ozma cried. “How can you say those things? How can you say that about them?”

His hands closed into fists, and his sorrow turned into rage. He gritted his teeth and stared up at her, creating a powerful pulse of green magic that launched the rubble everywhere, knocking Salem back a few steps. “LIAR!” Ozma roared, jumping towards her, and he finally unleashed his fury. He threw punch after punch into her face, knocking her back with every single blow he made. He roared and punched downwards against her brow, forcing her down to her knee.

She gritted her teeth and her eyes shone red.

He went to ram his Sceptre down the back of her neck, but this time she caught him by the forearm. “For the first time since you found me… I am telling you the truth!” Salem roared, blasting a beam of magic into his chest, throwing him through the walls of his kingdom. His aura broke away from the blast and he slid across the floor in pain. Turning to see the hordes of Grimm that fed on that army clambering over the destroyed walls with ease, to enjoy the feeding frenzy on his people inside.

Salem slammed into Ozma again, and she flew up into the air and held him by the throat. “You aren’t listening to me, Ozma! Our time together has been a speck in my life… I am not that sad girl trapped in a tower you once knew.” She stared right into his eyes. “I will burn Remnant down… I will watch as every soul begs for mercy as they die in pain… I will do whatever it takes to get those Relics and kill the Brothers. Whatever the consequences are.” Salem snarled. “This… is your last chance…”

The Brother of Light’s words now made perfect sense…

Where you seek comfort, you will only find pain…

Ozma glared back at her and he yelled with fury, punching Salem in the face with all his might, but it did nothing.

She sighed. “Fine.”

She launched around and threw him into the side of the castle, breaking his back and causing him to smash down against the floor. He groaned, coughing up blood as Salem landed in front of him. She kicked him up in the face and punched him against the wall. “Had enough yet?” She asked.

“I… will… stop you…” He choked, blood pouring from his broken nose.

Salem growled and hit him again, knocking back against the wall so hard that the cobblestones dropped out around him. He vomited blood onto the floor as Salem stood above him. “You’re doing this for nothing! Replacing mankind will make Remnant stronger and better than it ever was. Better than it is now and better than before! And killing the Gods will keep us safe.”

Ozma wheezed, unable to move his legs now, but still staring back at her. “And… what if killing them… destroys us all?” Ozma questioned.

“Then you and I can finally rest peacefully instead of this endless existence!” Salem yelled back.

Ozma coughed and weakly raised his fists despite being unable to use his legs. But she punched him even harder this time, splattering more blood on the floor. She laughed at him as she pressed her knees into his pelvis. “You want to die repeatedly for these people? Fine! I can always find the Relics on my own! Find other followers!” Salem snarled, and she started to brutally beat him to death with her fists.

Over and over she punched him, smashing out his teeth, causing his brain to swell from the heavy beating, and covering the floor in his blood… and her hands. The hatred on her face was one of the last things the Farmer saw before his eyes swelled so bad he couldn’t see through all the blood covering his face.

Until…

Salem paused… seeing a flashing image in her mind that stopped her.

It was Ozma…

The original Ozma, the man she truly loved with all her heart. Before her dealings with the Brothers Grimm, before she became immortal… before Darkness wiped her people from existence.

She saw him in her arms, the first time she lost him, and his loving smile. And when she blinked… she saw what she had just done to him. He was dying. There was no saving him now… but she still could not bring herself to strike again. “No…” Salem growled, and she fell onto the floor beside him, staring up at the darkening sky as night fell. She listened to Ozma’s suffering, to his choked laboured breaths as he tried to breathe through a collapsed lung filling with blood. Spluttering blood with every exhale.

Salem stood back up and looked down at him, and looked away, closing her eyes. Then she growled, gritting her teeth, and stared back down at him. “OPEN YOUR GODDAMN EYES, OZMA! You’re defending these people to live in an existence of fear and suffering! Replacing them will save them all from any fear! No matter how hard you try, you will always fail! What reason do you have to go on fighting for a cause you know is doomed to fail?” She yelled.

Ozma choked weakly, and she sighed. “What has the Brother of Light ever done for you to fight his battles?”

“You… Salem… he brought me back… to you…” He answered.

Salem stared at him, then her eyes widened, and his words cut deeper than any blade could. She squeezed her eyes shut and stood tall, looking at her palms. Covered in the blood of the very man she fought so hard to bring back from death… and she now had just beaten him near to death. “Salem…” He wheezed. She gasped and her eyes widened as she looked at him.

She then forced her internal grief down, and stared up at the moon, then blasted up into the air, leaving him behind. She landed upon the peak of the nearby mountain, tears streaming from her eyes, and she held out her hands. “Goodbye… Ozma…”

Her eyes ignited, and she held her arms together over her chest.

And she forced them apart, creating the same blast that she did at Evernight thousands of years ago to save Ozma. And now she did it again… to spare him his suffering… and burn away the life they always wanted to build.

Ozma stared at the peak as the bright wall of fire came closer and closer, burning away buildings, blowing the kingdom apart. The corpses were burned to ash, and the flags were reduced to nothing at all. Ruby and Pyrrha watched in shock as they saw the same formations they fought on together when they first met at the Emerald Forest against that Nevermore be created by her destruction.

The Emerald Forest…

… that was their home…

Ozma closed his eyes weakly as the flames finally reached him, burning his body away, and removing their Kingdom from existence. When the powerful magic finally erased their home, leaving only a smouldering ruin behind, Salem looked down upon her works, sobbing at what she has done.

She collapsed to her knees and buried her head in her hands.

It was over…

… everything they had…

… gone forever.

“Thus began a long and painful cycle of death and rebirth for Ozma.” Jinn’s voice was welcoming after witnessing the horror of that tragedy. Oscar watched as he saw the many reincarnations he saw shambling across a graveyard of unfamiliar names. He saw all the faces he spoke with in his dream.

The Hermit, the Drunkard, the Settler, the Wanderer… and finally… Ozpin himself.

“Some lives were spent in mourning. Many were spent attempting to forget it all. But no matter what, his mind always would turn back to the task the Brother of Light bestowed upon him.” Jinn explained.

“All would follow their task… with honour… and dignity…”

Then she paused.

“Well… all except… for one.”

Oscar looked around, though. All the versions of Ozma looked at him, and then he turned when he saw the darkened clouds. Just like last time, except this time everyone could see him too. “Him again…” Oscar gasped.

It was the Man that the previous Incarnations of Ozma refused to speak of. The one that the Wanderer tried to aid, and the one that came before Ozpin.

Ozpin cushioned Oscar’s shoulder and tried to turn him away. “Forget about him.” Ozpin requested.

“No… I need to know now.” Oscar said, and he saw Salem stare at the man with hatred in her eyes. She never stared that way at Ozpin, not like that… this was different. “Who is he?”

Ruby stared at what the man was standing on… there was a dying Beowulf and a woman with a hood up and an axe pressed down against the floor. And he stood at the top… with a familiar sword.

“It’s… the Fountain… at Beacon.” Ruby realised, eyes wide as she stared at it.

Cinder, Pyrrha, and Penny both stared at the man as well, whilst Oscar looked back at Ozpin and the others. “I need to know… who is he? Why won’t you tell me his name?”

“That man… look Oscar… who we are? The combination of souls that started with Ozma? We all made a promise – to protect the people of Remnant from Salem, to make sure you and everyone else in the world can live safe, free and happy. But we never control our hosts, we simply guide them and hope they follow the path of kindness and honour.” Ozpin explained, and he turned to the man who refused to face them.

“He’s the one who broke that promise.” The Wanderer said, with disappointment in his voice.

Ozpin closed his eyes with regret.

“He… is our greatest regret…”

The man slowly turned around to face them.

“His name…”

He turned and stared at Oscar, with glowing purple eyes and clad in impressive armour. He smirked sinisterly at them, holding a sword in his other hand. “… is Thaddeus Rex… Arc.”

Chapter 32: The Lost Fable - Pt. 3

Chapter Text

Ozma

 

“In his earlier lives, it was filled with his grief, and thus he joined with the souls who felt such grief as well. But one day… the old man who lived alone in a shack, who wanted to die… something beautiful happened.” She revealed.

Pyrrha stared at the house on the hill, and her eyes widened. This felt extremely familiar as she walked up the steps. She pressed her hand on the wooden door, and she looked through the window. He was just sat in his chair, clad in an old cloak, a long grey beard and with straggly white hair. From here she could see the pain that was in him, but he lifted his head when he heard a knock on the door.

“Leave me be!” the old man begged, but it was not out of malice, but more like he was begging them to go.

Pyrrha turned, and she gasped at who stood at the door.

Four Beautiful Maidens, and as she stood beside them… she realised it the second he opened the door.

“Please! Just leave me…” The old man stopped when he saw the four beautiful girls.

All of them… blonde hair… and with his eyes, and not hers.

They looked just like Salem.

It was his daughters…

“It’s you… isn’t it?” The daughter asked with wide eyes.

Penny smiled gently. “Their children survived the fall of their home. It wasn’t for nothing.”

“It’s true. His sacrifice to protect his daughters was not in vain, and after two decades, they found him. And the second they saw the old man, they knew that inside their father was inside. And to his shock…”

As he spoke with his girls… they all closed their eyes… and fire ignited from them when they opened, and magic swirled from their palms.

“Ozma realised that Salem’s hatred for her daughters was completely unjustified, whether or not it was true, for they actually had been gifted with the magical powers of their mother and father. They became the Original Maidens, and their powers appeared to be linked to the seasons of their birth, just as it was for the Humans of Old. And each daughter was born in their own season. Winter, Spring, Summer and Fall.”

Ozma smiled, and tears streamed from his eyes as the four girls wrapped their arms around him.

“This was the moment that Ozma could not be a recluse anymore. He had a duty to this world, and he had to carry it out. And perhaps… he would not be alone…”

They watched as the old man passed, and his daughters found the next incarnation, a man Oscar did not recognise. And together they carried out his work. “But as each life passed, he eventually watched his daughters fade away as well, knowing he would continue to live on. But his daughters knew their ends would come… and used their magic to ensure their power would continue to live on, even for those who did not share their blood. The rule was simple – The Powers would only pass to a young woman who was in their final thoughts. An intimate, but clever rule, ensuring it could never fall into the wrong hands.”

The blue smoke shifted, revealing his next incarnation. “But watching his beautiful girls grow old and die, whilst he would continue to live on? It hurt. Yes, he got to experience the beauty of watching his girls live their full lives, have children of their own, and die peacefully. But now he was alone again… and found solace in a bottle.” This man was one Oscar recognise – the Drunkard.

“This… was the fate of Ozma… and only now did he truly understand what Salem meant. He would live forever, reincarnating again and again… losing everyone he would ever love and care for. Again… and again… and again…”

“Reincarnation… after reincarnation…”

Jinn’s words filled the void, and Ruby felt confusion enter her mind.

Why are we still here? She’s told us how to kill Salem… what more is there to know?

Then she saw Oscar watching as he saw the many reincarnations of Ozma walking through the memory. It was like his surroundings were being fast forward through a time lapse, showing how entire towns became cities, and those cities eventually fell. Either to Grimm, or from other warring tribes. He saw so many people. “Men, and women… and all of them were from completely different walks of life. But all eventually would see things the same way as Ozma. Because of course, everyone wants to have a greater purpose than what they once were…”

Oscar shuddered. He felt those words echo in him.

I’ve always wanted to be something more than a farmhand… but this? Who would ask for this?

Everyone wanted to be a hero, to be remembered.

And so many felt like they could change the world for the better.

“But this was not some form of corruption or magic. This was simply Ozma guiding them. All these different people that he inhabited were different to him. They carried his memories and even some of his preferences and feelings. But all their choices were their own, and they were all their own people with their own lives. Some lives, Ozma enjoyed the peaceful nature some lived. And others wanted the adventure.” Jinn explained, but as the surroundings crept closer and closer to their time.

He watched as every single incarnation of Ozma walked through the street. Everyone saw the fires of war rage around him.

“And as the Kingdoms were forged… something else… something much darker began.” Jinn explained. “Salem and Ozma battled for thousands of years, Ozma trying to fulfil his promise to the Brother of Light, and Salem wanting to summon the Brothers Grimm back to this world so she could kill them. And claim this world as her own. But this? This was a conflict that had nothing to do with their thousands of years of battling. This… was Mankind’s Creation.”

They reached the Wanderer, who had cuts, bruises and blood on his face with The Long Memory in his grasp. Oscar witnessed his last moments as a Vacuo Mongrel roared with fury in the burning ruins of a city, bringing his axe down towards his head.

“The Great War…”

It all went dark when the axe cleaved the Wanderer’s head off his head. “… and thus… came the darkest memory from both Salem and Ozma’s conflict. A memory known as Thaddeus Rex Arc.”

 

Thaddeus

 

Darkness…

That was all they saw at first. There was nothing. But then they came to, and saw the young man awakening on his bed, eyes wide. Pyrrha looked at him with shock, or even whiplash. Because he was a spitting image of Jaune, from his hair to his eyes… his face… Jaune was literally identical to his ancestor. Cinder looked at Pyrrha and saw the tears in her eyes. She reached out for him but flinched.

Despite how much he looked like the man she loved with all her heart, she could tell just by looking at how he acted that this was not him. It’s funny, you could show her an exact replica of his body, but from the smallest mannerisms, it would be enough for her to know that it was not him. Thaddeus sat upright, rubbing the side of his head, and he stood up.

“Thaddeus Rex Arc – born from a family of Knights who served the Valerian Guard. The Great War had been raging on for many, many years at this point. And mankind – Humans and Faunus alike – were facing a grim future. One that could lead to the total extinction of their civilisation. Neither Kingdom were standing down, and more people were dying than could be replaced.” Jinn explained.

Thaddeus approached his window, and he narrowed his blue eyes, staring out at the smoke in the distance where a bloody battle was raging.

“The Great War, endless bloodshed between the Four Kingdoms, that lasted for a thousand years. And what was the goal? For there to be only one Kingdom to rule the world.”

Thaddeus bowed his head and clenched his hand into a fist. “This war needs to end…”

He even sounded just like Jaune.

Pyrrha looked at Thaddeus. What started out as grief due to how much he looked like the man she loved with all her heart… now became a combination of curiosity and concern.

This is the man Jaune aspired to be like… all those times I saw him stood in front of his statue…

… yet Jinn, Salem and Ozpin talk of him like he is a monster…

… what did this man do?

Thaddeus gasped, turning when his door burst open and his mother stormed in. The young man shrunk and backed up, only for his mother to strike him across the face. He cried out in pain, and she grabbed him by the collar and forced him against the wall. “Get outside. Now.” She snarled.

“Life was hard for Thaddeus as a child. His father was a knight, and was killed in a battle not long before he was born. Leaving him with his extremely cruel and abusive mother. All he wanted was to become something more than what he was. But there was… so much anger in his heart…”

They watched as his mother forced her son to undergo intense training with the Knights, who took joy in beating him to strengthen him. Cutting him with their swords to make him understand pain better. The Valerian Knights needed more warriors, and in this desperate time of war with the Vacuo Mongrels overwhelming every fortification they had with their numbers, the savagery of the Pagan Atlesians who sailed the seas and the skill of the Nikialos Spartans of Mistral and the Immortals of those lands?

The people of Vale were facing annihilation.

“Despite how hard they forced him to fight, he was never enough. After one day of training, his mother hit him over the head so hard it nearly killed him. He laid on his bed with his wound… and that was when his voice finally entered his mind.”

“Hello – My name is Ozymandias!” His voice scared the young man, and he rolled out of bed, panting.

As Thaddeus pushed himself up to his feet, he noticed the pain in his head was gone. He looked at his palms, noticing the golden glow that shone across his body.

“Huh?” Thaddeus gasped.

He turned and saw him – the Wanderer Incarnation of Ozma.

“Ozymandias… So that’s the Wanderer’s name…” Oscar mumbled.

“Where did you come from? What are you doing in my room?” He screamed, throwing his book at the man, only for it to pass straight through him. The Wanderer chuckled, holding his hands behind his back.

“Yeah, sorry… I’m still not very good at introducing myself without scaring the new host. I really should work on that. Although… this is a first… I am very sorry for the world you are living in right now.” The Wanderer explained.

“Uh…” Thaddeus fumbled.

“You can just call me Oz. It’s easier. Trust me. And no, you are not going crazy… we have heard it so many times. I said the same thing when I first experienced this whole scenario.” Ozymandias explained.

Thaddeus rubbed the side of his head. “Are… are you the one who made me feel better?”

“That’s right… your mother struck you? Judging by your memories… this happens a lot. I’m very sorry… but perhaps it doesn’t have to stay that way? I can help you… teach you to become the warrior you dream of being every night. All we have to do… is work together.” Ozymandias explained, outstretching his hand to Thaddeus.

The young man’s eyes darted around as he pondered the voice in his head… then he smiled and nodded.

“And thus… it began…”

They watched as the blue smoke formed moment after moment, as Thaddeus became faster and stronger, even becoming more effective in combat than his trainers. He parried and batted aside their swords, knocking them away, one by one, and by the end of the year, he had become better than all of them.

He had grown taller and stronger, and Ozymandias smiled at his new partner – proud to see he can continue to help people become who they want to be. He stood in the training yard and saw a stunning young woman, the same age as he was, with flowing locks of golden, and she smiled sweetly at him.

“Day after day, week after week, and year after year… Ozma helped teach the boy how to become stronger. And his growing skill attracted eyes.”

He laid on his bed, thinking of the girl. “That… that was Princess Delilah…” Thaddeus gasped.

“Oh?” Ozymandias asked him.

“Definitely! She’s… she’s so beautiful.” He was so flustered at the mere thought of the Princess of Vale looking his way. He had seen her before, but she always was so busy being a Princess that he assumed she never even knew he existed.

“The Princess of Valerian Monarchy… how splendid.” Ozymandias chuckled.

Pyrrha looked at the young man as he thought about her, and she sat down on the bed beside him as he imagined her. “I’ve noticed her looking at you now and then, wandering down to these streets where you train. You should speak to her.”

“What? No… no… she won’t be there again. It was just by chance. She’s a busy lady.” He shrugged.

“Hmm… care to wager on that?” Ozymandias challenged, Thaddeus raised a brow.

The next morning appeared as he trained, striking every knight down the second they made an attack, not wearing his shirt in this exercise to test his actual skill. The Valerian Knights wanted to truly test his skill, and see if he was not becoming confident in that armour he was wearing. Yet despite that, Ozymandias’ teachings were helping him in more ways than he could have ever imagined.

He launched one Knight across the floor with a single strike, his teeth gritted and sweat trickling off his abs and pecks. He blew out a breath and let the guards lick their bruises. He leant the sword against the wall, noticing Ozymandias leant against the wall with a smirk. “What?” Thaddeus huffed. Ozymandias just continued to smirk before vanishing.

Light clapping emerged behind him and he turned around to see none other than Delilah, looking as jaw-droppingly gorgeous as ever. She wore a white and gold dress – like always – and had a circlet of gold over her forehead, marking her status as Princess of Vale. “Oh, my… uh… h-hi… y-your grace!” He fumbled as he tried to steady himself, picking up his shirt and covering his sweaty body.

That she was definitely checking out.

She giggled softly with a bright smile on her face. “It’s okay, Thaddeus.”

“Y-You know my name?” He stammered.

“Of course. We’ve never spoken in person, but… well… you’ve always kinda caught my eye for a long time. Ever since I was… nine, I think.” She admitted.

He felt like he was going to faint.

She… has been noticing me for this long?

“Oh… I… wow…” He stammered.

“You’re a pretty nervous guy, huh?” She giggled.

“Um… y-yeah, sorry…” He apologised.

“It’s okay, it’s really cute.” She admitted.

CUTE?

She walked up to him and continued to smile. “You wanna go get something to eat?”

The blue smoke wiped across their vision, showing the two spending more time together. “Thaddeus Rex Arc, and Delilah Vivecca. A boy from the streets and the Princess. A pair none ever expected, but a bond that formed immediately.” Jinn described.

As the weeks turned to months and months turned to years, they watched as their love blossomed. The two shared their first kiss together on the balcony, the first night they slept together, and many others. “At first their love together was shared in secret, but in time her father learned. But the King of Vale saw the effectiveness of her lover and saw a great warrior. But he did not know yet if he was worthy to become the new Prince… so he let them continue their loving relationship. And even began working towards getting him out of his home… but it was not fast enough.”

The vision showed Thaddeus; he was older now, in his early twenties. He had his bags packed, ready to move into his new home with Delilah in the castle of Arcadia. The door burst open, and he saw his mother staring at him, fist clenched, and stinking of liquor. “You dare… after everything I have done for you?” She roared.

“Mother, back off.” He snarled, standing tall, with Ozymandias watching behind him.

“You think you can just leave? Leave your mother? I have given everything for you and you just up and abandon me?” She screeched. It was only then Thaddeus saw the Knife in her grip.

“Don’t do this.” He warned.

“I GAVE YOU EVERYTHING!” she roared.

“All you ever gave me was pain! Delilah is the only thing that has ever made me happy!” Thaddeus roared back.

“You ungrateful little bastard! You’re the reason this family is falling apart!” She shrieked, and in a drunken rage, she swung her cooking knife at him. He stepped back and caught her wrist, twisting so hard that the bone snapped, forcing her to drop the knife.

“Thaddeus no!” Ozymandias yelled, but it was too late, for he caught the knife and rammed it straight through his mother’s throat. She choked on the blood as he forced her down to the ground. He roared in fury and repeatedly stabbed her repeatedly in her bosom. Blood splattered across his hands and shirt and onto his cheek as he howled with anger, built up from all the years of torment.

Until his eyes flashed gold, and his muscles stopped, and Ozymandias took control.

Thaddeus stood up, controlled by Ozymandias, and he stared at the blood on his hands, looking down at the corpse of his mother.

“Thaddeus… what have you done?”

Ozymandias released Thaddeus and let him resume control over his own body. He stared at his hands, feeling his mother’s warm blood all over him. Looking over her lifeless body. “Have you nothing to say?”

“You expect me to feel something for her? You know what she did to me…” Thaddeus’ response already alarmed him.

“I… I know… and I understand where you’re coming from. Your mother was a cruel woman, but you murdered her. What you did was not out of self defence, you could have stopped it before it got worse… and I felt your joy from that.” Ozymandias explained. “Do you think that made you feel strong?”

“Felt pretty strong to me.” He answered.

“Hmm… no… no, this is not good. We’re going to have to work on this.” Ozymandias stated.

“What the hell are you talking about? You’ve seen my memories! You know what she did to me for all that time… how can you defend her?” he questioned, turning around to face him.

“This is not about her. It’s about you.” He explained, pointing his finger at his chest. “You are talking about murdering her like it made you feel strong. Like it made you feel better about yourself… such a way of thinking is extremely dangerous. Believe me… I’ve seen what happens to those who think killing people they deem deserving can become.”

Thaddeus narrowed his eyes and sat down on the edge of his bed, and rested his arms down on his legs. “Go… go clean yourself up. And be ready to face the consequences for your actions.” He explained.

Thaddeus sighed, standing up and walking past his mother without a second look.

Ruby stood by the dead mother with Cinder. The Fall Maiden looked at Thaddeus and sighed. “I know how he feels.” She admitted, walking away. The blue smoke passed over the vision, and Ozpin walked around the old incarnation of himself, looking at him on his knees before the King.

“Thaddeus faced a trial for the murder of his mother and was ready to face the end. But the King of Vale – Cedric Acelin – the Father of Delilah Acelin, had other ideas.” Jinn explained, and they saw the king sat atop his throne with his daughter stood beside him. With no queen, Delilah was soon to become the new leader of this Kingdom when Cedric fell. The vision showed Thaddeus now in a cell, locked away in the dungeon beneath Arcadia, alongside thirteen other men and women, all cells of their own for other atrocities.

“In this time, Thaddeus experienced memories that were not his own, and Ozymandias saw it was time to explain the truth to him. Of why they were bound, about Salem, magic, the Maidens and the Relics… and that they must unite all of Mankind together before summoning the Gods back to this world. As you could imagine, this was a lot for him to take in… but… Thaddeus just felt ashamed. Knowing he was now just a wasted incarnation for Ozma, now he was going to die. Of course, Ozymandias didn’t intend to let him die. It was the one promise he always made – that he would always protect his hosts.”

They watched as weeks passed by, and Thaddeus just sat there, closing his eyes, waiting.

“Sat in his cell, Thaddeus waited for the order, for the day that his head would be cut from his shoulders.”

“So you must understand Rex’s surprise when he saw not just his beloved Delilah come visit him… but also the King himself.” Jinn stated, and Thaddeus lifted his head to see the Monarch of Vale stood outside his door.

“The people wish to have your life be taken from you, and your corpse paraded through the Kingdom. Such is the punishment for Matricides and Patricides, especially of noble blood like your mother… but ultimately the terms of your execution are up to me.” Cedric explained with an ambitious smirk on his face. Thaddeus glanced at Delilah, seeing the worried look in her eyes as she clutched as her bosom.

“So… tar and feathering, then? Hanged Drawn and Quartered? Make a good show?” Thaddeus assumed, which made Cedric chuckle.

“Oh, no… no… your life is too valuable to be wasted so needlessly. And I do not see you to be a criminal. Your mother was a coward who refused to learn the sword, refused to fight for her Kingdom in these trying times. But you? You have incredible skill, and my daughter’s love for you is easy for me to notice. I am in need of elite warriors, people who are not afraid of death or of spilling blood… hence why I specifically had you locked away in here.” Cedric explained. He then turned to the thirteen other inmates in this prison.

“Do you know who these men and women are? What they did?” He asked the young man.

“No…” Thaddeus answered.

“Killers, men and women who slaughtered innocents in droves for their own sick desire.” He stated. “I am running low on Knights, and we are on the losing front. The Vacuan Mongrels are currently focusing their efforts on Mistral, but the Atlesian Pagans will soon reach our Kingdom. Let the Immortals test themselves against the Spartans and the Mongrels – but I need something to match their strength. These Thirteen Killers will serve under your command, and you will help me win this war against the Pagans from the Frozen North.” Cedric explained.

“How do you expect me to lead people who will stab me in the back?” Thaddeus questioned.

“You give them plenty of people to kill. They will follow you. That I can promise… it’s the only thing that they have left that is useful to me. Become my sword, help me protect our Kingdom from the Northern Savages.” Cedric offered.

Thaddeus looked at his hands, and he closed them into fists and smiled.

“I accept.”

Blue smoke passed over the memory, and they watched as Thaddeus walked, clad in armour and with a lethal sword. He cut down Atlesian Pagan after Atlesian Pagan. His Thirteen Knights laughed maniacally as they battled with him, smothering themselves in the blood of their enemies. And he, too, enjoyed the mayhem, listening to the screams of battle. And with every battle, he became more and more smothered in their blood.

And as the battles raged, he already learned the magical powers he had at his disposal thanks to his connection to Ozma. But in one memory they saw Thaddeus burning an Atlesian Pagan alive with fire magic, grinning as he listened to his dying wails. Ozymandias watched him with disgust…

We do not enjoy killing people…

… we’re supposed to protect and help them…

“Thaddeus quickly rose through the ranks of Cedric’s Guard, becoming his General in a brief time. Ozymandias never enjoyed spilling blood, but he knew that this was war, kill or be killed. These Atlesian Pagans who invaded their land came to pillage and burn and claim what was theirs. No… what frightened Ozymandias… was that Thaddeus enjoyed it… far too much.”

As the battles raged on, and on, and on… he faced more enemies than just the Atlesian Pagans.

“The Great War raged on for many more years, and both the Vacuo Mongrels and Mistraalian Immortals found their way to their shores once more. But they all knew of the name Thaddeus Rex. And it was a name that even the fearless Mongrels were intimidated by, because of his savagery.”

Pyrrha’s eyes widened as she watched how much war was turning Thaddeus into a brutal monster, purposefully making his enemies suffer in pain.

The memory showed Thaddeus returning to the Kingdom, scars adorned his face and King Cedric had grown much older as he sat upon his throne. But even dear Delilah looked afraid of her own husband. “You have led our armies with great honour and distinction… and thanks to your efforts, you have earned respite. Take some time to rest, Lord Thaddeus. You have earned it.” Cedric informed.

That night, Thaddeus awoke in his bed with Delilah laid beside him. He sat upright and his fingers twitched. He looked over to Ozymandias, who stared at him, and he sighed, closing his eyes. Thaddeus got up and walked out to the balcony, looking over at the great Kingdom of Vale. He rested his hands against the railing, feeling the cold air brush across his scarred chest. He turned to Ozymandias beside him, who just stared out at the land.

“What?” Thaddeus questioned.

Ozymandias just shakes his head. “Despite all my lessons, you refuse to heed them… you just continue to take pleasure in killing people. That is not our mission here. You once told me that you agreed to help me complete my mission.” Ozymandias explained.

“We are – when this war is over, mankind will be united. Just as you need them to be.” Thaddeus assured.

“Not… like this. The way things are going, there will be nobody left.” Ozymandias explained. “The path to unity is not one paved in the blood of our enemies, but held together by the hands of our allies.”

“We have no allies. The Kingdoms are all against us, and the Grimm are always biting at our heels. We have to do what we must until the war ends… but… you’re right.” Thaddeus admitted. “I haven’t been holding my end of the bargain… perhaps we can kill two birds with one stone?”

“How do you mean?” Ozymandias asked.

“We find the Relics… we can use them to end the war… unite everyone.” Thaddeus explained. “And then we can hunt down Salem and kill her with Destruction… everyone will be happy.”

Ozymandias stared at him… the trust was fading.

“Only if we do it the right way. We will not hurt innocents… and we never enjoy killing people. There are enough monsters in the world doing this.” Ozymandias begged, and Thaddeus just smirked.

“I will do what I must…”

“Thaddeus?” The soft and loving voice of dear Delilah cooed. “What are you doing out here?” She asked him, walking over to him and wrapping her arms around his chest, gently resting her head on his shoulder.

“Just… getting some fresh air… thinking…”

Blue smoke continued the memory onward. “Thaddeus sought out the Relics, but he needed eyes everywhere. Ozymandias had spoken with me once before and knew of their locations, but his first target – the Relic of Choice – hid in a ruin occupied by Mistraalian Immortals. A large army of their warriors, yet they did not know the ancient Relic was buried there.” Jinn narrated. “Not even Thaddeus and his Thirteen Knights could best the Immortals when there were that many of them. He needed an army… and the Crown could give him such an army.”

They watched as Thaddeus bowed before King Cedric, begging him for an army to take the fortress, all while careful not to mention the Relic being there. “But because the King saw no real benefit to securing a ruin, Thaddeus could not retrieve the army he needed… and anger swelled in his heart.”

“Don’t do this.” Ozymandias begged.

“Quiet, Oz… we need that army… and I will get us into that old Ruin. No matter what.” Thaddeus explained as he drew a sword and walked through the halls of the Palace. Ozymandias’ spirit tried to keep up with him.

“There are other ways, we do not have to spill unnecessary blood.” Ozymandias stated, desperately trying to stop Thaddeus from straying to the path of darkness.

“I’m not doing this your way… I am finishing this. You’ve never had the stomach to do what needed to be done. I do.” Thaddeus walked straight through Ozymandias and approached the cell door, opening it.

Inside was an Immortal that they captured, who was trying to spy on the King. He threw the sword at him and smirked. “You came to kill our King… let me help you…”

Ruby’s eyes widened, and they watched as Thaddeus helped the Immortal he freed to get to the King’s Chambers.

“Where are the guards?” The Immortal asked, noticing the King’s chambers were completely unprotected.

“The dogs were hungry… thought they’d make good meals.” Thaddeus coldly shrugged.

“Brothers… you really don’t mess around…” The Immortal shuddered. They opened the door to see the King stood at his window, looking at his Kingdom with a proud smile.

The Immortal approached with the sword that Thaddeus gave him, but then Thaddeus shoved the Immortal aside and swung his sword through the neck of King Cedric as he turned around to ask what he was doing there. Blood splattered over his face, and a sadistic grin marked his face. The King collapsed to the ground, and his crown bounced across the floor.

“What the hell?” The Immortal questioned. “Why bring me here if you were going to kill him yourself?”

Thaddeus did not answer. He just turned and smirked sinisterly. He suddenly sprinted at him and rammed his sword into the Immortal’s chest. He shrieked in immense pain, and Thaddeus roared with fake fury. “MURDERER! YOU MURDERED OUR KING!” Thaddeus bellowed at the top of his lungs.

“Argh! What are you…” The Immortal spluttered, choking on his blood. He twisted the blade, creating a horrific crunch. He gasped for air, but Thaddeus smirked and cut down and to the side, disembowelling him, making him shriek, and then ended him with a swing across his throat. He choked on his own blood before he died.

Knights barged into the room and they gasped, seeing what happened. “The Immortals… sent an assassin! Where the hell were his guards?” He bellowed.

“T-They were on post. I know they were!” One of the Knights stammered. He stood up and wiped the blood off his face.

“Well, fat lot of good they served! The King is dead… and by the hand of the Immortals.” Thaddeus clenched his hand into a fist, sensing the disgust inside him by Ozymandias. He could feel the spirit’s judgements on him.

“FATHER!” Delilah cried out. She ran into the room and collapsed to her knees in front of his corpse. Thaddeus gently put his arms around her as she sobbed into his shoulder. Thaddeus gritted his teeth.

“The Immortals have made a base at the old Ruins a few hundred miles east of here… we must take action.” Thaddeus stated.

“You are married to the Princess of Vale… you were the Prince… now you are both our King and Queen – King Thaddeus Rex.”

He stood tall, hiding his smile as best he could.

Blue smoke swirled around them, and they saw the two Monarchs sat on their thrones together, Delilah looking saddened, whilst Thaddeus smirked as he felt the power in his hands. Clad with impressive gold armour and his Predecessor’s Crown adorning his head.

“Thaddeus Rex – the King of Vale.” Jinn stated.

Pyrrha stared at the man with disgust at his actions, shaking her head. “With the entire army of Vale at his beckoned call, he wiped out the Immortals and claimed the Relic of Choice. And in using that power, he commanded his army with terrifying ferocity. They knew no fear, because he took that away, and they felt no pain either. He enlisted the power of the Scorpio Clan, using their savagery to cut down the Vacuo Mongrel Leaders whilst constantly hitting them repeatedly. The Mongrel Empire was the first to fall, and with the Relic’s power he took them, and added their strength to his army.” Jinn explained.

The map of Remnant showed the spread of his control, now in control of two Kingdoms, and his efforts focused on Mistral. “Town by town, city by city, Mistral became his as well. And he found me…” Jinn explained.

They saw Thaddeus stood on a hill as he tried to summon her. “Jinn.” He commanded, and the blue being rose from the Lamp, but her expression said more than she spoke.

“Although, I saw through his words and I saw his future. The ocean of blood he would create, the needless killing… the slaughter… and I knew that this was not a man I would entrust such knowledge with. And thus, I left him with nothing.” Jinn explained, and Ruby smirked, glad to see that Jinn truly kept to her word on how the rules worked.

Only answers the questions of those that she deems worthy…

“In anger, he cast my lamp into the sea, an action that would cause Professor Ozpin to have to find me in order to secure me in Haven’s Vault. One that was very hard to carry out.” Jinn narrated. They watched as Thaddeus launched the Lamp off the edge of the cliff and Ozymandias reached out for it with shock in his eyes. Thaddeus stormed off with fists clenched.

“As his rampage across Anima continued, Delilah gave birth to their son – Haytham Arc.” Pyrrha’s eyes widened when she saw Delilah cradling the baby in her arms, large blue eyes and a little smile.

Pyrrha stammered as she looked at Delilah. She had teary eyes… and saw the bruise on her cheek. Ruby saw it too and then turned to Jinn, who floated behind her.

“Did he…”

“Yes… Thaddeus Rex Arc had finally found who he was. A ruthless monster, and just like his mother… he abused Delilah as well. His power controlled every action he ever did… but it was not like he was blinded by it. He just enjoyed the power he had… but it was never it enough. It would never be enough.” Jinn explained, and Penny scowled at the thought of poor Delilah being hurt by him.

“After everything… everything those two had been through together? Him being head over heels for her? He hurts her? How could he do that?” Penny stammered.

“Power revealed his true nature.” Cinder answered. “Just like it had for Salem.”

“Years turned to decades, and the war still continued. But in the aftermath of King Thaddeus Rex’s brutal reign, few were brave enough to stand against him. The Mistraalian Immortals broke under his power. Especially when he found the Relic of Destruction hidden in the ruins of Vacuo. But he could never risk using the sword, knowing what it would do to him. So Thaddeus became more and more obsessed with finding something new.” Jinn explained.

“What?” Ruby asked.

“A loophole. The Relic of Destruction is an incredibly powerful weapon, but it is fatal to the one who wields it. Once used, the soul is locked to the hilt. And once the command is issued, and the sword is swung – the sword destroys the soul and life source of the wielder. But Thaddeus realised there was a way past this, the same way that Salem could use the sword… he had to find if there was a way to become immortal as well.” Jinn explained.

They watched as he grew older, his blonde hair turned silver from age, and they even saw Haytham Arc grow up as well, becoming a skilled Knight as well. But he was raised by the gentle and kind Delilah, and thus rarely was around his father. “With all but one Kingdom under his control, he researched every tome he could find – and finally… he found an answer…”

They saw him sat at a table, reading through old arcane texts that the memories of Ozymandias helped him find. Memories that Ozymandias could no longer hide from his destructive host.

Thaddeus looked at him and he chuckled. “Long time since I’ve seen you show your face, Oz.” Thaddeus chuckled.

“You have become a monster. Everything I ever asked of you… you betrayed it all. You slaughtered innocents to get your way. Drowned kingdoms in blood… you rule with fear. This… this is not the world I wanted.” Ozymandias sighed. The shame was so obvious in his voice. He sounded so heartbroken.

“The war is nearly over, Oz… and I am close to finding Salem. She has been claiming some land that was lost during the war. Some of my Thirteen have spotted her there with some children. All I have to do is find a way to make myself immortal, and I can use the Sword of Destruction to kill her.” Thaddeus explained, and Ozymandias shook his head.

“You know… I really believed I could have helped you be a noble… magnificent warrior. If I knew then what you would become… I would have never taught you to know my skills. I took pity on you… a boy who was in a horrible position… and I did the kind thing by helping you. And I look at your works… with despair.” He sighed, burying his head in his hands.

“The world may look at me as a monster now, but they will revere me when they see the paradise I will make for them. And if they don’t… well… I’ll make them.” Thaddeus was insane. No two ways of looking at it.

Thaddeus paused, and his eyes widened. “Here… there is a way!” Thaddeus laughed.

The symbols were all too familiar…

… Dark Magic.

“Despite Ozymandias begging him not to do this and even trying to control him like he had attempted to do so many times before over the decades of slaughter – Thaddeus used the Dark Magic Spell. A spell which had a dark price to pay…”

The memory continued, and the blue smoke formed Delilah, who was sitting on the bed with tears streaming down her face. Behind her was Thaddeus, and she turned around to see him there. “Leave, Thaddeus.” She demanded.

“I can’t do that, my love.”

“DON’T YOU DARE CALL ME THAT!” she yelled, standing tall. “I don’t know what you did… how you have made me cannot find the answers… but I know you did it! I know you killed my father!”

Thaddeus glared at her. He did not say a word. “I’ve had a long time to think about it.” She growled, pacing around the bedroom. “You needed an army… you wanted an army, and you always wanted more power than you had. That Immortal… he didn’t kill my father, did he? It was you… you killed him so you could claim the throne. So you could spread your hatred and violence across Remnant like a disease?” Delilah questioned, approaching a table.

“I did what I had to do, Delilah. The Great War needs to end, and I will do whatever it takes to end it.” Thaddeus stated.

“No… you want to kill. It’s all you’ve wanted to do. It’s why you wanted to be a knight. All you ever talked about was wanting to end war but I’ve seen your face. All you care about is killing.” Delilah snarled. She then reached into the cabinet and pulled out a knife.

“You’re right… and I will continue to kill if I must. And I will not die until I know this war ends… I want to see and rule over the new world. And I will.” Thaddeus stated. “I will make myself immortal.”

“And me?” She questioned, and he just shrugged.

“I can always find another wife.”

Her eyes widened.

“This was you… the whole time… how was I so stupid?” Delilah screeched with fury and she swung her knife at him. Ozymandias seized control of Thaddeus, stopping him from drawing his sword. But Thaddeus still fought through the spirit and caught the knife with his hands. She forced him against the wall, but Thaddeus shoved Delilah back and she bashed against the wall. He spun the knife through his fingers and ran at her.

He tackled her onto the bed and pushed the knife down towards her chest. “I WILL BECOME IMMORTAL! I WILL MAKE THIS WORLD THE WAY I WANT IT TO BE!” Thaddeus bellowed. He could feel Ozymandias trying to force his way inside to take control.

But he was too late.

And he rammed the knife down into her heart.

Delilah gasped and whimpered… she then caressed his cheek as she looked up into his blue eyes. “How… could you do this… to us?” She weakly whispered.

But then her face changed to anger, and suddenly she grabbed him by the head with both hands and rammed her thumbs into his eyes. Thaddeus bellowed in fury and pain. She gritted her teeth as blood leaked through her mouth. He forced the blade down even deeper, and there was a loud crunch as he crushed her ribs and killed her.

Her arms dropped to the floor, thumbs soaked in his blood.

Thaddeus shook his head, flicking the blood out of his eyes.

His teeth gritted and eyes snapped open with rage, irises now glowing fiercely with a purple glow, and his sclera gone red from the damage.

“The Spell… was complete…” Jinn stated

He took the Relic of Destruction and took his Thirteen Knights to the place that Salem had been sighted at. It was a destroyed fortress, and they stormed in. It was protected by her loyal followers, who she had amassed ever since her and Ozma’s life together came crashing down. Knights clad in black, skilled and lethal.

Known as the Black Gallows.

They battled, but none could stand a chance against Thaddeus as he stormed through, cutting them down with the sword, and despite every swing he made, the sword’s power could not kill him. And neither could any blade that touched him.

His Thirteen Knights charged with him, killing every Black Gallows Knight that stood in their way.

“One by one, Thaddeus charged through… until he found the Queen’s chambers.” He kicked the door down and pointed his sword inside. He looked around… and was confused.

“Where is she?” He stammered.

“Salem was nowhere to be seen… in fact, they found something that even Ozymandias and the previous incarnations of Ozma never expected.” Jinn narrated.

There was a man with a sword pointed at them with six children… he was a good-looking guy, and Ozymandias immediately knew who the children were when he saw the daughters. They looked… just like her…

The spirit of Ozymandias stood in front of them. “Don’t… please… I’m begging you.” He requested.

“I know who you are…” the man said. “You’re him… Thaddeus Rex… Ozma’s newest host.”

“Who the hell are you?” He questioned.

“Her only follower…” the man answered, holding his hands up in surrender. Ruby looked at Salem and saw the pain in her eyes. “The Great War… people were too focused on killing each other that they never saw the promise Salem could give them. A perfect paradise… the two of us became close and we… I agreed to help her have children that shared her powers.”

“She used you to give her children?” Thaddeus scoffed.

“She never used me.” He replied with a scowl.

“Oz told me about what Salem saw in our kind. She sees people like you, like the rest of the world, as lesser. You mean to tell me she just… what? Up and forgot all that?”

“The world is destroying itself… with the way you’re carrying on… there won’t be much of mankind left. Human or Faunus. Salem knows her children she had with Ozma had magical powers. Meaning there is a way for the humans of old can be repopulated. And in truth? She was lonely… for a very long time… I think that isolation made her long for a family again.” The man explained.

Ozymandias looked back at the man and he just held his hands up. “Please… these are children… they are harmless. Innocent.”

“Well… if she isn’t here… I know a way for her to come find me instead… and I’ll be ready when she comes.” He said, raising the Relic of Destruction. He smirked down at the man and the children.

“Where’s mommy?” A little girl sniffled.

“Mommy’s not here to protect you anymore!” Thaddeus laughed, swinging the sword towards them, but Ozymandias forcefully took control again, trying to stop Thaddeus.

“R-Run!” Ozymandias yelled through Thaddeus, and from his host’s perspective, he was holding the blade back with his hands. “Enough of this! Enough of this madness, Thaddeus!”

“They are Children of Salem! They are enemies, and must be cut down!”

Ozymandias felt his grip loosen…

Screams echoed as he swung his sword. Ruby would never forget the look she saw Salem give Ozpin. He looked at her and saw the genuine grief in his eyes, the regret of not being able to stop him.

“It… wasn’t you…”

The blue smoke passed over, and they saw Salem. She was walking through the woods by herself. Her hair was not as it was today. She looked different, with the black veins around her eyes and around her arms. But her hair was down, and she actually looked… content. She still had that destructive nature in her, but thousands of years of being isolated? The man was right… it made her long for what she used to have with Ozma.

She was lying to herself then… and finally wanted to experience it again.

But she turned when she heard the screams. She blasted through the air to get back in time, but Thaddeus and his Knights were all gone. Everyone watching bar Ozpin and Salem gasped in horror at the scene.

Thaddeus… killed them all… in horrific ways… he made them suffer.

Because he wanted them to.

The only one still alive was the father of her children, and she fell to her knees and held him on her knee. “W-What happened?” She stammered.

He was barely breathing, choking on his own blood. He only said one thing. “O-Ozma…”

He died in her arms with all her children, and she let him drop to the floor, and she bowed her head. Fire ignited around her, and the entire building cracked and crumble all around her. She slowly lifted her head and gritted her teeth with fury, staring ahead.

“OZMAAAAA!” Salem bellowed.

“Her only follower… the father of her children… he could never finish his sentence. He tried to tell her that Ozma attempted to save them by holding Thaddeus back… but his name was all he uttered.” Jinn stated, and Salem genuinely looked shocked by this revelation.

Until now… she had believed Ozma did this to her… that he really had turned into a monster like she said he would.

“Thaddeus’ rampage over Remnant came to a close when he attacked Solitas to finish the Atlesian Pagans. With the power of Immortality and two Relics in his hands… he could erase the Pagans from the picture and have full control over Remnant.” Jinn explained.

He saw Thaddeus on a boat, eyes glowing bright purple with the Relic of Destruction on his lap, Choice on his head and his fist clenched with a smile. “One last Relic… and it’s here in Solitas. Creation.”

He turned and saw Ozymandias; he looked a lot fainter than he remembered. Ozymandias looked more like a prisoner than an ally. Oscar stood there and closed his eyes.

And to think I felt like I was the prisoner…

“Have you noticed the sky?” Ozymandias asked him.

“What about it?”

“There is a Solar Eclipse coming… you can already see the moon passing over the sun.” Ozymandias explained. He turned as saw the creepy image of the moon creeping over the face of the sun. “During an Eclipse… the Grimm become unstoppable. I’m not sure if the world will survive them… not after this war…”

“One thing at a time. We have the Relics… we can stop it from happening.” Thaddeus shrugged, glancing down to the Relic of Destruction.

“Just gotta end those filthy Pagans first.” Thaddeus stated.

“The war can end today, Thaddeus… you can finally get what you want.” Ozymandias sighed. “I don’t know why I even bother asking you to not hurt people… not after what you did to Salem’s children…”

“You still gonna lecture me about that? I’ve done what you couldn’t do for so many generations.”

Ozymandias did not answer.

“Please… at the very least… if they surrender… just let them go. There does not need to be any more blood.” Ozymandias requested, and Thaddeus just smirked at him.

“The Atlesian Pagans had expected their arrival, and the battle was long and hard… but Thaddeus still managed to triumph thanks to the power the Relics wielded. In the end the poor Atlesians who had abandoned their gods were surrendering… just as Ozymandias said they would.”

They watched as the old Atlesians were on their knees, begging for mercy.

“He had already found the final Relic, hidden in Solitas – The Staff of Creation – and he held it in his hand, looking down on the people of Ionspyre.” Ruby and Pyrrha both gasped when they heard the name of that city.

It was all too familiar.

“Oh, no…” Ruby gasped, knowing what this place was, it looked completely unrecognisable being intact, and not trapped in the Atlesian Wildlands. In fact, they only just realised… this was before the Atlesian Wildlands existed. No sign of Cryostorms anywhere. That was when Ruby’s eyes widened and she stared at Thaddeus as he looked down at the Atlesians.

“It’s over…” Ozymandias mumbled, still betrayed by what this monster has done. “The Great War is over…”

But… I thought the Great War ended at Vytal?

Thaddeus stared down at the city of Ionspyre from the ridge of ice, tapping the Relic of Creation against it. He smirked and looked at the weapon. “Didn’t you say the Relic of Creation can shift into whatever you want it to be? Like how they all can mass shift?” He asked.

“Yes… it’s the only one that can physically change its shape and design.” Ozymandias quietly answered. He held out the sword, and he watched as it transformed before his very eyes. The staff glowed bright gold… and he revealed… a sword.

Pyrrha’s eyes widened.

“It… it looks just like Crocea Mors… that was why Salem went for Jaune’s sword…” Pyrrha realised. He pressed the blade of the sword down into the ground. He had changed the Relic of Creation’s body into a Weapon and Destruction, how fitting for a monster like him.

He gazed at the city, hearing the men and women begging for mercy with his army behind him. Ozymandias stared at Thaddeus, and his eyes widened. He reached out for him, knowing what he was about to do.

“NO!” Ozymandias screamed, but this time, Thaddeus forced him out, and the cruel man grinned as he raised the sword up to the sky and drove it down to the ground. Lightning cracked across the sky, and icy wintry winds surrounded Ionspyre. Shrieks of terror echoed within as the first ever Cryostorm formed.

Ruby’s eyes widened.

“He… he made the Atlesian Wildlands?” She gasped. They no longer asked why, they knew why he did it…

… because he had the power to do so.

And he used that power to create more death and destruction. His army watched in horror as the huge Cryostorm devoured the city… a storm that even now… was still raging… and growing.

“That… was the final straw…”

“The Great War had technically ended with the destruction of Ionspyre, but he received reports from one of his spies that the Relic of Knowledge washed up on the shores of a remote island named – Vytal.”

Thaddeus arrived at the island aboard the boat and he got off with his Thirteen Knights. There was a thick layer of fog, and they walked through the barren island together. He had all but one Relic now… and with Knowledge he could call upon the Gods to judge Remnant.

“But he found nothing…

… no Relic…

… nothing…”

“What is this?” Thaddeus turned and saw the boat leave, and then he turned back around and saw Ozymandias stood before him, his hands behind his back and with a frosty glare in his eyes.

“You did it… you ended the Great War. Was it worth it?” Ozymandias asked him. “Was it worth… all the innocent people who murdered? Was it worth murdering Delilah? Cedric? Salem’s children?” He listed.

The Solar Eclipse was nearly complete…

Thaddeus laughed hauntingly at Ozymandias. “You think I care about any of them? It doesn’t matter… you have the world you wanted. You should be thanking me… now everyone in every Kingdom bows to me. The world… is united.” Thaddeus stated.

“THIS IS NOT UNIFICATION! This… is fear.” Hearing Oz yell at him actually made Thaddeus flinch. It made them all flinch. Bar Salem and Ozpin, of course. “You have betrayed everything we ever stood for.”

“You act as if you haven’t done things you’re not proud of. I’ve seen your memories, you have made your fair share of mistakes.” Thaddeus stated.

“And you slaughtered a city. You drowned this world in blood…” Ozymandias stated, shaking his head. “For so long, I actually believed I could help you… every single incarnation before me has worked out. But you… I never wanted to see the truth about you. I never wanted to accept that you were filled with so much evil in your heart. If I had known what you would have become… I would have taken control of your body before you could fight back and thrown you off a cliff.” Ozymandias explained.

Ozymandias stared him in the eyes. “You murdered your King. You murdered your wife. You butchered Salem’s children. And you slaughtered… thousands of innocents. And destroyed a city of people who surrendered…” He closed his eyes and then glared directly at Thaddeus. “It’s time for me to do what I should have done a long time ago…”

Ozymandias turned his gaze to the side, hearing the sound of an impact.

His Knights all readied themselves, and Ozymandias just stared back at him. “Goodbye… Thaddeus.” Ozymandias said. He turned and walked away into the fog.

Thaddeus’ eyes widened, and he rushed after him. “No! Ozymandias! I did what you asked me to do! I united the world! COME BACK!” He screamed… he then felt his body jolt… and he felt powerless. He still had the immortality his dark magic gave him… but everything Ozymandias gave him… was gone.

And in the fog…

… two glowing red eyes appeared.

It was Salem, and she emerged from the fog towards him with fury in her eyes, her hair splayed out like a spider’s legs. “Salem…” He gasped. She did not say a word. She just walked towards him and opened her hand, forming a massive double-ended sword forged from red fire.

“My knights! Attack!” Thaddeus yelled, drawing both the Relics of Creation and Destruction, dual wielding them. She kept her gaze on him, and as all Thirteen Knights swung their weapons at her, stabbing, hacking and bashing at her. One lodged her axe into Salem’s cheek, another stabbed her in the throat. They brought her down to one knee, but her glowing red eyes stayed focused on Thaddeus.

She then rose, all her injuries healed back up, and she reset her jaw.

All the Knights went to attack again, only for her to bat her hand aside, and all thirteen shattered into dust… and she absorbed all their souls into her palm. She walked towards him and he roared, swinging both swords at her relentlessly, but she dodged the Relic of Destruction with ease, then dodged Creation as well. She caught his forearm with her hand, then brought the sword down, cutting his hand that held Destruction clean off.

He shrieked in agony, feeling his arm slowly regenerating, but it was not fast enough.

She grabbed him by the throat and lifted him off the floor and Salem turned… seeing him.

Haytham… Thaddeus’ son.

She let him see Haytham as the young man stood tall, and Thaddeus’ eyes widened with disbelief. He just nodded at Salem and she nodded back, turning and walking away with Thaddeus.

He kicked and screamed at her.

“Let me go! Let me go! NO, PLEASE! I DON’T WANT TO DIE! PLEASE! NOOOOO!” Thaddeus shrieked as she carried him away silently into the fog. His shrieks vanished as she opened a portal, and they both disappeared.

Leaving Haytham behind with the Three Relics…

“That was for mother…” Haytham growled.

He lifted his gaze to the Solar Eclipse, finally passing over the sun… and the roars of the Unstoppable Grimm echoed across the entire world.

“Haytham Arc – made a deal with Salem to lure his father there, so she could claim him and his Thirteen Knights. And knowing that his son would carry his name on… he knew he had to give his life to stop the Solar Eclipse. He left behind a note… with a sword named Crocea Mors.”

They saw the sword on the table with the note on it.

I leave this to you, my son. I hope you may bring better memories to our family name than your forefathers did.

“His grandfather… left this in his name. Haytham’s son was Jaune’s grandfather…” Pyrrha gasped, and watched as Haytham held the Relic of Destruction up to the sky, and blasted a powerful beam of orange fiery energy up into the moon.

The moon fragmented and blew apart, ending the Eclipse… and with it… the war…

Haytham’s body collapsed, dropping to his knees, covered in burns from the energy that shot through him. His eyes became distant, and he exhaled, dying as the tides became erratic because of the damaging of their moon. Huge chunks of lunar rock came crashing down, creating cataclysmic events everywhere.

“From the ashes of the Eclipse… mankind survived… and so did the Kingdoms. And when Ozma was reborn as Professor Ozpin, he returned to Vytal and acquired each Relic, using the Relic of Creation to construct the four Vaults where they were stored… but he was clever with Creation. Aware of the risk it posed… and created a hidden vault in the ruins of Arcadia. Because should Salem ever find the Relic of Creation now, her end goal is set in stone… the fate of Remnant will be sealed, and drowned in blood.” Jinn concluded.

The vision finally came to a close, releasing everyone who saw it.

 

Salem

 

Salem opened her red eyes, remembering briefly when Watts found her broken after losing everything again. Her white hair dishevelled… helping her back on the path to her goal.

And here she was… so close to the end.

Salem exhaled, turning to Jaune, whose eyes continued to glow that same familiar purple. “It’s time. Go to Arcadia… wait for Team Copper to arrive… and bring me my Relics.” Salem commanded.

Jaune – The Salem Knight – held his fist to his chest and bowed his head.

“It will be done, my Queen.” He promised, turning and walking away.

Salem watched him as he walked away, with a slight bit of hatred in her heart. She exhaled and looked up at the shattered moon that continued to watch her every move.

“The end… is near, my sweet Ozma…”

Chapter 33: Memories of Sand

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

Where do you even begin?

The only light on them was the Lunar Glow of the shattered moon, a sight that gave them shivers knowing how it got that way… all thanks to Haytham Arc.

After what she had just seen, that was all she could ask herself. Ruby took a few steps back and fell to her knees, eyes wide. She rested her hands down on her thighs, and Pyrrha stood there and pressed her hands against her head. “Gods…” Pyrrha gasped, and Penny crouched down beside Ruby, gently caressing her back. Cinder sat down on the bench and she let her arms rest on her legs, contemplating on the same information that everyone else had on their minds.

“The Relic of Destruction… that’s how we kill her… but…” Cinder muttered.

“She already has it.” Ruby replied. “And if she gets all the Relics, she’s gonna use it to kill the Brothers.”

Penny cushioned Ruby’s hand as they sat together, and Penny just looked up at Pyrrha, who stared at the Crocea Mortem. “Pyrrha? Are you okay?”

“Jaune… he never knew… he never knew that the man he always worshipped, always aspired to be like… was a monster.” Pyrrha could barely even formulate the words that she wanted to say. All of it was still processing in her mind. She gripped the blade tight, then she turned and sighed. “We need to keep moving. Salem was there. We can’t risk staying here any longer. She will be sending Praetorian Knights here soon.”

They all got up, knowing Pyrrha was correct, and they headed out, still headed in the direction that they knew Arcadia was located. Ruby held the Lamp in her hands, closing her Silver Eyes with grief over the heartbreaking story they just witnessed. She stood tall and they all quickly left the area.

Not long after, black and red portals erupted open, and all the Praetorian Knights arrived – all eleven remaining Knights.

They watched from a safe distance as the beings patrolled the area, far too many for them to defeat. Then Cinder’s eye widened with realisation as she counted them and thought back. They kept on walking, staying ahead of the Knights and trying to make their job of tracking them a lot harder. “You know Salem knows we’re headed for Arcadia, right? She was there… she saw everything we just saw.” Cinder explained.

“Yeah… that thought has crossed my mind.” Ruby admitted.

“She’s probably setting up some kind of trap for us… should we turn back?” Cinder asked. “Come up with a new plan?”

“No, we can’t.” Ruby explained. “You heard what Jinn said at the end. If Salem gets the Relic of Creation, she’ll use it to start a new Eclipse. And now she knows for certain that the Relic is there, it’s not safe anymore.”

“Is that even something we need to worry about? Are we even due an eclipse?” Cinder asked.

“It doesn’t matter. With the Relic of Creation, she could force it to happen. Anything is possible with the Relics and with the power she wields? I doubt forcing an Eclipse with a Relic and Magic combined is too crazy to imagine.” Ruby explained as they walked through the woods together, they were no longer sticking to the main roads. It was too dangerous, with Salem’s forces most likely headed for Arcadia as well.

Penny looked back at Cinder, noticing she was thinking about something. “What’s on your mind, Cinder?”

“Just realised something… after we saw what we saw… I think I know what the Praetorian Knights are now.” Cinder revealed. They all slowed and looked at her as she pressed one hand against the tree, steadying herself subtly. “There were Thirteen of them, two of them are dead now. The one you all killed at Beacon, and the one we killed at the Summit’s Claim. How many Knights did Thaddeus have?”

All of their eyes widened.

“Thirteen.” All of them said in unison.

“By the Gods… she stole their souls when she killed them… and turned them into Geists.” Ruby realised.

“Is that why the Abductors have been kidnapping people? To make more Geists?” Pyrrha realised, thinking back to the town they found that was completely taken by the Grimm. It was a terrifying thought, one that lingered in all their minds for a while as they kept walking.

“She’s trying to make more… or worse… she’s turning people into powerful Grimm.” Ruby said as they walked.

“That’s… horrible…” Penny mumbled.

“Just one more reason to kill the bitch once and for all.” Cinder coughed, wheezing slightly, and Pyrrha looked back at her as she quickly wiped the blood away from her mouth, hiding the signs of Noctus Putrida. She stayed quiet, and they continued to walk through the woods together.

Every little sound put them on edge, expecting to be ambushed by one of those Praetorian Knights, or even one of the Children of Salem.

But they chose not to focus on that. They just followed their map that Ruby had on her scroll, and they were getting closer and closer to Arcadia.

“Salem and Ozpin… or Ozma… I never even knew about that.” Cinder stated as she walked with them, and Ruby nodded her head in agreement.

“I really thought I knew Ozpin…”

“Well, there’s your first mistake. One of the main things that Salem always told us was that you should never trust Ozpin. That he would always turn on his word… I guess I understand what she meant now. But I saw her face. She didn’t know that it was all Thaddeus. That Ozma actually tried to stop him from killing her kids.” Cinder explained.

“Gods, Thaddeus… I still can’t wrap my head around it. The things that he did…” Pyrrha stammered. “And Beacon Academy had a damn statue of the monster? All the History Books revered him like a hero? I don’t understand… Ozpin knew what he was… why would he feed the world that lie?”

“There’s no point asking these questions when he’s not here, and besides, I doubt the man would give us a straight answer.” Cinder stated.

“I know… but…” she sighed, closing her eyes as she looked at the sword in her hand. “Jaune never knew… he gave his life to honour what he believed that man was. He never knew that he was related to that man and never knew that the man he always aspired to be like was a goddamn monster.”

As they walked, then Pyrrha wondered. “Wait… Ozpin… he knew Jaune failed his application into Beacon and forged his documents.” Pyrrha stopped, then everyone else looked back at her. “And he let you in despite the fact you were too young…”

“What are you thinking?” Ruby asked her.

“I’m not sure yet… but… maybe Ozpin wanted Jaune at Beacon… because he knew he was an Arc? But why? It doesn’t make sense…” Pyrrha paced back and forth, trying to make sense of it all.

“And he made him team leader. I know he was always a great strategist… but… back then he didn’t really have many other leadership qualities.” Ruby sadly said, crossing her arms, and Penny gently held her forearm.

“Probably to keep an eye on him. Make sure he doesn’t end up like Thaddeus did.” Cinder suggested, shrugging her shoulders.

“He would’ve never ended up like that.” Pyrrha defended.

“Yeah… and I’m sure Ozymandias said the same thing about Thaddeus.” Cinder stated. She walked ahead of them whilst Pyrrha pondered on these thoughts. Pyrrha followed them, but she slowed down again, and Penny looked back, seeing she was clenching her hand into a fist. She turned to her side, seeing the Brothers Grimm watching her every move.

“Pyrrha?” Penny asked.

“You guys… go on ahead… I need to take a moment.” Pyrrha said.

“We can’t split up.” Ruby told her.

“We’re not… I just… I need to have a word with… them.” She clarified. The team looked at each other and sighed.

“We’ll be by the creek. Try to keep it brief. We need to stay ahead of the Praetorian Knights.” Ruby requested, and they walked away.

Pyrrha waited until she was all alone, and closed her eyes. She felt the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, and then the Brother of Darkness circled her, clapping his hands together. “And now you know the truth… is it as grand as you were hoping it would be?” He curiously asked her, standing closer to her, chuckling sinisterly.

She backed away from him as he stood before her, hands behind his back and hunched forward, body softly glowing. “Get the hell away from me… you damn monsters.” She snarled.

“You stand against a being who would bring about the end of existence, as you know it, for her own petty vengeance, and yet you call us the monster?” The Brother of Darkness questioned.

“I do not expect a mortal being to understand the complexities of our duty to the Universe, but the balance of life and death is not something that should be trifled with.” The Brother of Light explained, but Pyrrha gritted her teeth and closed her eyes.

“If I hear you mention… that goddamn balance… one more time… I swear upon you both that I will just let Salem kill you.” She warned, fury in her eyes.

She stepped towards them, fists clenched. “All of this? It’s because of you… the love of my life is dead, because of you. Everyone that has died… is because of you.”

“Is it?” The Brother of Darkness asked.

She scowled back at their faceless expressions. “We were not the ones who created the Inhumane Necessity. That was of your kind’s own doing. We did not cut down your beloved. He killed himself to slow Salem down. And we are not the cause of Salem’s actions, that is all down to her own rotten nature.”

“You just can’t take responsibility, can you? Can’t ever stand there and accept that the state our world is in, the world you cursed Ozma to constantly reincarnate into, is because of your actions. Because you couldn’t bring back one person.” Pyrrha growled.

“You cannot even imagine an existence where the bounds of life and death are shifted, child. It is a balance that is easily disturbed… and it is our duty to ensure that it does not tip over the edge.” The Brother of Light explained.

Somehow Pyrrha was angrier at Light than she was at Darkness, because of his hypocrisy.

At least Darkness was straight with you, at least you knew he would stab you in the chest. The Brother of Light, on the other hand, would offer kind words, and then the moment you turn your back, he would ram a dagger in your spine.

Pyrrha knew never to trust them.

Either of them.

“Then why didn’t you just kill her, then? Instead of tormenting her the way you did? You could have just killed her and be done with it. But instead you turned her into the monster that we have to live with, and fight against today.” Pyrrha questioned.

“The child had to learn her lesson.” The Brother of Darkness replied.

“Oh… she definitely learned the lesson. It just wasn’t the one you tried to teach her.”

The two brothers glanced at each other, and then the Brother of Darkness approached her. “You wish to know what will happen if Salem kills us both?” He asked her.

Pyrrha scowled but nodded.

“When the moon is made whole, it will call us back from this plain, to Remnant… Where she will kill us. Without darkness and light, death will fault, life will quiver… and Salem? What can she do, but sit atop her throne of writhing bodies… unsure if they are dead, or alive.”

In truth, his words made her hairs stand on end and she felt sick to her stomach picturing such a sight. But even so, she simply could not condone the way they acted. And the fact they refused to accept that the fault of their struggles lies with them.

So she turned and kept on walking, shaking her head.

As she defiantly stomped away, she felt the desperate anger of Darkness grow, and he stormed after her.

“Know this, Pyrrha Nikos, killer of my children, Invincible girl, champion of the trivial, of the superficial… I do not resurrect you out of newfound kindness to your plight! I see those who lost pace through the gates, upwards to eternal light, or down to Grimm darkness. But you? Your life, your story. It instils in me what my brother saw in Ozma. Hope. A single ray, murky at best. But hope. That… is your destiny…”

“Hope?” she questioned. “Oh, I am so damn grateful that I make you feel hopeful… I couldn’t give a damn. We will kill Salem, but we’re not doing it for you. Hell… you should just leave Remnant to its business and let us decide our own fate. I’m done walking in the Shadow of Destiny.”

The two Brothers fell behind as she walked away, then they disappeared. It felt strange for Pyrrha. She could feel their desperation.

The closer and closer they got to the Relic, she could feel their fear of Salem forcing them back down to Remnant.

They were terrified, but refused to admit it.

As Pyrrha walked, her eyes widened, and she listened, and stopped.

Silence filled the air, but for a few moments, she heard another pair of footsteps not far behind her, snapping twigs and crushing rotten leaves beneath their boots.

She spun around and drew her blades, teeth gritted and eyes fierce…

… but nothing.

She was alone, other than the rest of her team down that creek. Her chilly breath drifted from her lips as she glared down the forest where she heard the footsteps.

Someone’s following me… I swear I heard those footsteps…

But she still could see nothing, so she kept on walking, turning away.

But she knew what she heard and continued to listen.

Unaware of the fact… that Jaune Arc – the Salem Knight – was behind a large rock in the forest, just out of her view. His eyes glowed bright purple, and he watched them from afar.

The Praetorian Knights were not all that went through that portal.

So did Jaune…

… and he was right behind them…

… waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

 

Oscar

 

Oscar found himself back in his internal domain, with the many incarnations of Ozma around him, and he stood tall.

First thing he saw was that storm, now understanding that it represented his darkness, but also the Cryostorms he created in Atlas. It made his hand shake into a fist and he bowed his head, shaking it. Then he felt Ozpin’s hand gently warm his shoulder, getting him to turn around to see him, Ozma and Ozymandias.

“How are you feeling?” Ozpin asked him.

“Sick…” He groaned. “Why haven’t I woken up yet?”

“Your soul was essentially torn from your physical body to witness Jinn’s vision. It is the big risk with using her power. Because of our connection to the information she shared with Team C.P.P.R, it drew our souls in to witness it as well.” Ozma explained.

Oscar sat down on the plain, looking at the broken and lost soul of Thaddeus on his own in the storm. He could always see him, although his fate was unknown. “What did Salem do to him?”

“I don’t know… but… it seems he still exists… in some form. I imagine that the punishment Salem came up with for him was hardly… gentle.” Ozymandias stated, his hands in his pockets.

Oscar stood up and turned to Ozpin specifically. “You knew… you knew what he did… why the hell did you let the world believe he was a hero? Why falsify all the history books and build a statue of him in Beacon? The man was a monster… why celebrate that?” He didn’t sound angry, he just sounded confused.

Ozpin walked slowly past Oscar, staring at what remained of him. “Our civilisation was on the brink after Salem took him. When Haytham destroyed the moon, it caused cataclysms that killed many. The tides were thrown off with the moon damaged and the meteors destroyed a lot of land.”

Oscar followed him as he strolled across the field of their existence, and now Oscar realised this field was identical to the plains that once surrounded the castle where Ozma and Salem lived.

Most likely made to look this way to make Ozma’s time more delightful, somewhere he loved being… instead of what it became.

“The people needed a hero to believe in… I had hoped I could… twist things so that Haytham could be that hero. Though sadly, the world knew more of Thaddeus than they did of his efforts. Haytham gave his life to destroy the moon and stop the Eclipse but nobody knew he did it. But… Thaddeus left to the island… and no body was found. People drew their own conclusions.” Ozpin sounded ashamed.

“You couldn’t tell the world it was Haytham? And… what… did they just forgive everything that he did?” Oscar questioned.

“Yes… and no. I tried telling the world about Haytham, but many spread the belief that Thaddeus… did what he had to do… to save our people. And gave his life to save us all. Many, however, especially the Arc Family, were against this. And there were so few people left I had no choice… but to use the Relic of Choice.” Ozpin explained.

Oscar’s eyes widened.

“The Relic has many abilities. It can control people, alter memories against their will, make people sense whatever you want them to sense. But in altering memories, it is an arduous process. Making slight changes to a population is easier, whereas massive changes can cause massive risks. If I attempted to make the entire world believe it was Haytham, which very few did, mass confusion would spread. And that confusion would lead to people searching for answers… and eventually they would find them. All I do is change the memories they have, but I cannot remove the evidence of the contrary.” Ozpin explained.

Ozpin rested his hands upon his cane. “And as much as I wished I could just… erase Thaddeus from history… his fame prove too difficult to remove. But Haytham? Nobody knew of him… he was just a quiet man who lived with his family. So… despite me wishing I could… I had to make people believe Thaddeus was a hero.” Ozpin bowed his head in shame.

It was confusing for Oscar to comprehend, and that alone proved how hard of a choice it was to decide that for everyone.

“But because of those actions, the few who knew the contrary from the beginning, like the Arc Family, did indeed find the answers. But nobody would listen to their words, and the peace remained. But even now… they all knew the truth of what Thaddeus was like. And that was why Jaune’s parents wished against him becoming a Huntsman… they never wanted another Arc to wield a sword. But Jaune… he wanted to be a hero like the King… a King he never knew he shared blood with.” Ozpin concluded.

“Is that why you let him into the school?” Oscar asked.

“Yes – I wanted him to prove he was better than his forefather… that and… I also wanted to keep an eye on him. We refused to fail another Arc, even if we were not bound to the child.” Ozpin explained.

Oscar looked down at his hands and sighed.

“I know you do not agree with what I did… all I ask is that you try to understand. I was young… and did not see any way of preventing another war. And a war… after what we survived? Would have killed us all.”

Oscar turned, hearing something in the clouds.

“Oscar!” the voice of Yang called out. She sounded distant at first. Then he looked back at the many incarnations of Ozma.

“It’s time you woke up, Oscar Pine.” Ozpin said, bowing his head.

Suddenly, the entire domain he was in shone bright white, and he collapsed to the floor, staring up at the sun as it grew brighter and brighter. And then… he saw Blake and Yang over him, Blake gently shaking him to wake him up. “Oscar?” Blake called out, and they all gasped.

“Oscar! Thank the gods, you’re okay…” Weiss sighed, immediately giving him a warm hug.

“Ugh… don’t thank them.”

“Huh?” Weiss asked.

Oscar looked around and found that they had found an area of shade. An outcropping of sandstone was above them and the sun was starting to set, although they had a few hours before it did. It had just passed midday. “How… long was I out?” Oscar asked.

“A few hours, you just passed out on the back of my bike.” Weiss sounded so worried about him.

“We managed to get you back on the bike and get you to this bit of shade so you didn’t get heatstroke out here.” Ilia explained. He smiled.

“Thanks…”

“What happened? Are you sick?” Nora immediately checked his temperature.

“No… no…” He sighed. “Ruby used the Relic… and… it sucked me and Oz in as well… alongside Salem.”

“Salem?” Yang gasped, wide eyed.

“What… did you see?” Ren asked.

“Well…”

It took him a while to explain it all to them, so long that the sun had set even further when he had concluded summarising absolutely everything that Jinn showed him. And at the end, they were all left completely speechless.

Ilia most of all.

“Gods… I should’ve expected world shattering revelations helping you guys.” Ilia chuckled, shaking her head.

“Salem and Ozpin? The Gods… Jaune’s Great Grandfather…” Yang could barely wrap her head around it all.

“Yeah… it’s… pretty crazy… still trying to make sense of it all.” Oscar admitted.

“So the Relic of Destruction can kill her, but it will also kill the Brothers Grimm too?” Ren asked.

“Yes… and if she gets her hands on all Relics, she’s gonna do it. And if that happens, it’s not gonna end well.” Oscar answered. Silenced filled the group once more, and Nora rested her axe on her lap.

“Hmm…” Ilia stood tall and walked over to the Hover Bike.

“Ilia?” Blake spoke.

“This… this could be just what we need to convince Sienna…” Ilia realised, eyes wide and a smile growing on her face.

“Wait, what?” Yang asked, standing up.

“Think about it? Sienna lost her way and abandoned the idea of fighting against Salem because she thought it was hopeless. And until now, we all thought it was hopeless that Salem couldn’t be killed. But now we know for a fact that that isn’t even true. If we can get as many people, Human and Faunus, around the world on our side and know that we can kill Salem with the Relic of Destruction and be free from her wrath? With Sienna helping us deliver that message… we can get even more reinforcements than we originally bargained for. Salem has ruled Remnant mainly through fear, and by taking away people’s hope.” Ilia explained.

“This can give people the hope they need for victory…” Blake realised as well. “She’s right.”

“And all this information falls on our lap just before we get close to where Sienna is? I don’t buy it…” Ren admitted.

“It is… worryingly well timed…” Nora agreed.

“You think the Gods could be influencing this somehow?” Oscar asked them.

“They’re gods… who’s to say they not trying to use us to cover their own asses?” Nora replied. Yang rolled her neck and approached her bike.

“Gods’ Interference or no… this is the best opportunity we’ve ever had. We can’t waste it.” Yang stated. Ilia mounted up and Blake jumped onto the back of Yang’s bike, arms around her. Weiss and Oscar both got onto their bike and Weiss glanced back to him.

“Try not to pass out again.” Weiss requested.

“Heh, let’s hope not. That wasn’t fun.”

The sun continued to set, and they felt the heat fade away into an icy chill, but they continued to cross the barren desert of Menagerie. Passing by the dangerous critters that lurked beneath the sand, none of which were Grimm. Oscar looked at the creatures with surprise. It was a rare thing to see Non-Grimm Organisms out here in the wilds. Concavenators – reptiles which buried and dug through the sand, pounced out onto their prey, ripping into their bodies. Or the giant mantises which lurked on the dunes, slashing their long claws at the Grimm as they tried to attack them, killing them with ease thanks to their lethal natural weapons.

But luckily – unlike Grimm – they were not bothered about the bikers. They were not commanded by the Dark Queen. They were just hunting to survive on these dunes. They even found the old ruins of early settlement attempts by the Faunus out here in the desert, now abandoned.

“Did the Grimm do this?” Yang asked Blake as they rode through one of these old towns, mostly claimed by the desert now.

“No, these towns used to be built near an oasis, but it ran dry. The people left when they realised the water source was no longer reliable… it’s why we stick to the beaches, it’s too dangerous out here in the deserts. Either the wildlife, Grimm or the climate kills you out here.” Blake explained.

“And Sienna is surviving out here?” Ren questioned.

“A lone survivor can last out here, if they’re smart and efficient. Sienna is both and knows these deserts well. So long as you know how to find water and food out here, and how to read the weather and dodge the sun? You can survive out here until you grow old.” Ilia explained.

“Hey Ilia? Remember that old story about the old lady who lived out here?” Blake asked her.

“Oh yeah, Ebony Brackham?” Ilia asked. “Said to be an old warrior who survived the Faunus War, lethal and unstoppable. When the War ended and we were given Menagerie to placate us, she lived out on her own. She never could live with people, but she could always fight. And when Menagerie was in its infancy, a lone shadowy figure would appear and kill all the Grimm that would try to attack the Faunus when they were trying to build our home. She became myth and legend, and some believe she still walks these deserts now, as the Faunus Protector.” Ilia explained.

“Wow, that’s incredible.” Nora gasped, in awe at imagining such a woman.

“An old story which helped show a lot of  who felt like they were worthless that they were never alone, and that she is the reason our home exists today.” Ilia explained.

“It definitely got embellished over the years though.” Blake chuckled.

“How so?” Yang asked.

“Well, some started claiming she had three dragons.” Blake laughed, making them all laugh as well.

“Now that would be a sight to see.” Yang chuckled.

Ilia looked ahead, then suddenly raised her hand, stopping them all. The Hover Bikes all came to a stop at the base of a large dune. “This is it…” Ilia explained, getting off her bike and drawing Lightning Lash. They all dismounted their vehicles and followed her up the dune. They all stayed low and just reached the peak, just getting their eyes over.

Ilia stared at the small mountains at the end of the dunes, and she pointed.

“She’s somewhere around there…” Ilia stated.

“That’s… a big mountain. If she is up there, she’ll shoot us before we even get close… we need to figure out where she is.” Oscar stated.

“She probably already knows we’re here… we need to see the glint of her scope. But she’s smart. It won’t be easy to spot. But if we do… I have a plan on how to reach her.” Ilia explained.

She reached into her bag, pulling out some ear defenders for Blake, alongside special earplugs for her Cat Ears. “You’re gonna want these, the rest of us will be fine.” Ilia assured, and Blake held them close. Then Ilia revealed why Blake was going to need those, revealing a Sonic Device.

“Wow… you really thought of everything.” Nora sounded impressed.

“I’ve been meaning to reach her for a long time. With all your help, we have a better chance. When we get within range, I’ll activate it, it will disorient her long enough for us to reach the mountain. Once we’re there, we rush and disarm her. Remember, we don’t want to hurt her, we need her help after all.” Ilia explained, and they nodded their heads.

“So… how do we get her attention so we can locate her?” Oscar asked.

“Um…” Ilia finally sounded stumped.

A smirk formed on Yang’s face.

“Oh… I know how…”

They all gulped…

… this was a Yang Plan.

They all stood at the base moments later, deadpanning up at Yang, who was just brazingly posing at the top of the dune. “Why did I expect anything else?” Blake groaned, shaking her head.

“Glad to see some things don’t change.” Weiss chuckled.

Yang waved her cybernetic hand at the mountain. “Helloooooooo?”

Then…

… she saw a glint.

Her pupils shrunk and eyes widened.

“Uh oh…”

BANG!

The shot rang out with a metallic impact, hitting Yang’s Cybernetic Hand directly, and the impact knocked her down the dunes, sliding down to the bottom. Blake rushed to her side, heart pounding with worry. “Yang? Are you okay?”

“Ha! Found her!”

“Gods… how have you guys survived this long with strategies like that?” Ilia groaned.

 

Eryka

 

On the other side of the world…

The Sidewinder soared across the dunes with ease, dodging the rocks that protruded up through the sand, and Joanna laughed joyfully as she sent the vehicle roaring across the deserts. Blind Worms could be seen digging through the sand around them but they were moving way too fast for the subterranean creatures to keep up with them. But they were still a valid threat to fear, a threat that they were all aware of even now.

Well, except for Adrien.

The little kid was laughing with jaw, arms up in the air, with his mother in the safest seat, just enjoying the beautiful desert around them. Eryka held onto the side of the vehicle, bow in hand, just in case. “How far is it?” Eryka called out.

“Not far! Just a few more miles. I sure hope that your mother’s in there and is in a helping mood, Eryka.” Joanna called out to her.

“Hey, I’m thinking the same damn thing.” Eryka chuckled. The Sidewinder launched itself off the edge of a cliff and it gracefully slid and rocketed itself down the dunes, using a combination of wind drag and Gravity Dust to propel itself across the perilous terrain.

“Whoa…” Saphron gasped, eyes wide as they sailed further through the dunes, and saw the towering abandoned buildings of the Old City of Vacuo. Adrien’s eyes widened in awe as he looked up at the buildings. Then they saw Nevermores erupt from the buildings above, though they did not seem to be interested in them, or were just waiting for their moment. They could see the ground in areas was moving, and stingers burst from the sand.

“Deathstalkers! Hang on!” Joanna called out, then Eryka drew Constantine Damascus, being held in place thanks to the cables and the Gravity Dust glueing her to the platform. Robyn and Winter both readied their weapons. The Deathstalkers shrieked as they swung their claws and stingers towards them. Eryka smirked, firing an explosive arrow into the weak supports of a building, blowing it up. The huge chunks of debris came crashing down onto the Deathstalker, killing it instantly.

Robyn shot her own explosive arrow, nailing another Deathstalker in the tail, sending the glowing gold barb into the roof of its skull, killing it instantly. Winter turned, and she groaned. “I knew it…”

The Nevermores weren’t ignoring them after all and were pursuing them. They flew between the towering buildings, missing falls of sands that constantly spilled through the broken windows like waterfalls. Winter flicked her sword around, casting multiplying glyphs, which froze the wings of the largest Nevermore solid. The huge Corvid Grimm shrieked in rage as it came crashing down, one wing shattering apart as it clipped a building and then slammed into the ground.

Winter then blasted multiple icicles up into the two other smaller Nevermores that were right behind them, one of them firing Fatal Feathers at the Sidewinder. Terra held on and fired her gun back at the creatures, but her small calibre gun had minor effects on the large Grimm.

Then Winter gritted her teeth and formed two glyphs inside of two rooms in opposing buildings around the Nevermores, and using Wind Dust, she created a gust that launched old furniture out and into the creatures. The Grimm shrieked as desks and chairs smacked into their bodies, dropping their descent. That was when Dulcis flew forward and slashed his talons across the wing of one of the Nevermores, badly damaging it, and he landed on Eryka’s shoulder.

Robyn fired another Crossbow Bolt up at the Nevermore, nailing it in the eye. It roared in anger and pain before the bolt detonated and blew its skull apart. The Nevermore roared as it came crashing down into one of the buildings and out the other side.

Joanna hung a left, and the Nevermore desperately tried to adjust to the sudden turn but smashed into the side of a building. The old crumbling brick cracked and sent part of the building crashing down onto the grounded Nevermore, crushing it. Winter smirked, then turned to Eryka, who just winked back at her, making Winter blush.

“Oh… crap…” Joanna groaned.

“What is it, Joanna?” Robyn asked, turning around, then her eyes widened as well. “Oh, shit… that’s not good.”

“What isn’t?” Eryka asked.

“Magmastorm… big one… and it’s right over the mountain your Mother marked.” Joanna warned.

They all looked at Eryka, and she was suspecting the same thing they were. “She’s the Winter Maiden… she could’ve summoned that storm to keep people from getting in there. Ultimate defence.”

“I’ll give it to your mother. She’s a clever old bird.” May chuckled.

“You all better hang on tight… I can get us through there, but it’s gonna be intense.” She warned.

“Let’s do this…” Eryka said, only to suddenly hear Dulcis suddenly screech at their left, and before Eryka could question what he sensed, she felt it.

“BLIND WORM! GO!” she yelled, and right on cue, the massive tunnelling Grimm burst through the sand behind them, shrieking as it dove towards them, only narrowly missing the Sidewinder. It descended back into the ground, but now and then they could see the spines cut through the sand behind them. The worms were fast in the sand, much faster than their size let on, which made them all the more terrifying.

Joanna was going as fast as she could, but the Blind Worm was keeping up with them. What’s worse, whenever it jumped out from the sand like a Dolphin, it shot acidic blood towards them from its mouth. Winter cast Glyph Barriers to block the creature’s acid, but there was nothing they could do if this thing got to them if they crashed in the dunes.

They’d all be dead.

The Blind Worm easily manoeuvred around the rocks and old chunks of ruin in the sand. If not, it smashed straight through. The Blind Worm was getting closer and closer to them. “Our best bet now is the Magmastorm!”

“Now there’s a sentence you’d never expect to hear.” Fiona shuddered, shooting her Crossbow Staff at the Blind Worm, though nothing she fired at the creature had any affect. These things were by far the most dangerous threat in the dunes. They could consume literally anything. They were truly the apex predator and, without a doubt, one of the most dangerous Grimm in the entire world.

Plus, the shrieking roar the thing made was nothing short of terrifying.

Joanna kept going though, not looking back, and she felt the drag from the storm’s wind getting worse and worse, making them move faster. The sky darkened around them as they entered the storm, feeling the heat skyrocket, making them sweat already, but the Blind Worm refused to give up on them.

The massive Blind Worm burst from the sand behind them, in a jump that would have nailed them and dragged them under the sand to slowly consume them.

Until a blinding flash of red lightning crashed down, hitting the Creature directly, and the impact threw the sand up into the air, forming a spike of black glass, impaling the Blind Worm. It shrieked in immense pain before it finally died and crumbled into ashes. Adrien stared with wide eyes at the immense beast as it died. Then they all just had to hang on.

There were no Grimm in here, the storm killed anything inside that was too slow, and so long as Joanna was smart, she could navigate them through the storm without the lightning catching them.

All around them were spires of Black Glass, formed from the lightning, melting the sand instantly, then the air, causing it to snap freeze into glass. It was truly an incredible sight, one to remember – but for now, they wanted to survive this crazy memory. Joanna drifted across the dunes, dodging incoming lightning flurries and battling against the winds. And it was not just lightning she had to worry about.

“Dust Devils!” Robyn called out.

“Crap!” Joanna held on as tight as she could, but the storm was forming Sand Tornadoes, and in these Magma Storms? They were not just sand, it also had molten sand shards too, throwing them everywhere, shredding anything that got too close. Saphron covered Adrien’s ears and hugged him close as he cried in terror from the storm, but Joanna gritted her teeth, fighting the wind as she tried to keep a straight shot, but the storm kept throwing more and more at them.

Lightning bolt after lightning bolt, leaving behind those creepy jagged towers of black glass in their wake. The Sidewinder drifted across the side of a dune, just as a Dust Devil came crashing down behind them, but Joanna managed to get them ahead, using the thrusters to blast them away from the pull of those small tornadoes.

“We’re almost there!” Joanna roared over the powerful storm.

They launched off the dune, gaining significant air time before they slammed back down onto the ground. There were so many Dust Devils in this hellish landscape, they were having to cover their eyes from the hot sand being blown everywhere, and Joanna was the only one using goggles and a rag face mask.

Lightning shattered the rock formations, and the Dust Devils shredded the Glass ones too, launching more and more broken glass everywhere. But Joanna kept pressing onwards.

“Look out!” Terra called out, and a Dust Devil came crashing down, howling as it spiralled, and launching shards of glass into the Sidewinder. The sail became badly damaged, slashed up, but Joanna ignored it and kept going. They were so close to the eye of the storm now.

“Hold on!” Joanna roared, firing all the thrusters.

The Sidewinder lost control with its damaged sail, but the winds weakened and she drifted them inside the Eye of the Storm, causing the Sidewinder to capsize, sliding across the sand.

It threw them all from their seats, and Saphron took the heavy hit by landing on her back, cradling her baby close. She groaned, rubbing her back, but Terra immediately ran to her, caressing her cheek and giving her a loving kiss. “Are you okay?” Terra stammered.

“Y-Yeah… Adrien, honey? Are you okay?” She asked him.

He sniffled and wiped a tear away, nodding his head. “That was… scary…”

“Yeah… it was. But you were brave, honey… so brave.” She smiled, booping his nose.

Eryka groaned, looking ahead and seeing Constantine Damascus on the floor ahead of her. Dulcis gently nudged her to get up. That his aura was definitely broken like the rest of them from that storm, but he was okay.

Eryka crawled across the sand and reached out to her bow, only to see a pair of boots descend, and one pressed down on it.

Her eyes widened…

… she knew those boots.

And she knew the voice couple with that soft laugh.

Eryka looked up to see her…

… Lavinia Vasillias, eyes burning blue.

“We’ve really gotta work on how we meet, huh?” Lavinia joked.

 

Pyrrha

 

Team C.P.P.R walked up the hill, feeling a chill in the air caused by an incoming storm. Night had fallen here as well, and they kept walking up the rocky hill. Cinder fought the dizziness that plagued her, but she didn’t care.

She made it this far…

… and she was not dead yet.

And finally, as lightning flickered in the sky and thunder clapped, they saw the huge abandoned castle standing before them, overlooking the ocean. Pyrrha gasped, seeing the old Arc Castle with wide eyes, knowing this was where Thaddeus Rex Arc lived… where Jaune’s heritage was at its strength.

Ruby, Penny and Cinder stood with her, ready to go in there and find the Relic of Knowledge.

Unaware of the Salem Knight watching them from afar, sword in hand, and eyes glowing purple.

Waiting for the right moment…

 

Chapter 34: A Story of Opposites

Chapter Text

Killian

 

His onyx eyes… tired and mad…

The fallen Commander of the Black Gallows stared ahead from his landed Wasp, feeling the grains of sand beat against his cheek, and he sighed, lowering the scope of his rifle.

“Ever wonder what it’s like? To be so close to the end of your life?” Killian spoke to nobody in particular. “… a story of opposites…”

“Never in my life have I felt so at peace, than when I nearly died. Than when I felt my lungs collapse as the Grave Dust started to tear me apart.” He touched the respirator on his chest, breathing hoarsely. “It’s like… the nearer you get to death… the closer you want to be to it. For all your problems in the world to just… fade away…”

He closed his eyes, then clenched his hand into a fist. “But then – there’s this… feeling… a thought… the catalyst of your survival.”

He saw it all.

Every moment in his life.

When he felt this way, when he refused to die, fighting to the very end if he had to, killing people and monsters in ways that could give even the strongest soul nightmares. “A rage, a desire to fight, to survive. It lights your nerves on fire, and drives away all logical thought… just makes you fight and fight until your enemy lies dead… and you standing over them.”

He saw himself standing over the dead, of all the people who tried to kill him.

“And all the while you hear that same question lingering in the back of your mind… Have you had enough yet? Do you finally want to rest? It’s funny, you could go an entire lifetime without ever facing a choice like that, but the first time you do… it changes you forever.” Killian explained, opening his Onyx Eyes and staring down the barrel.

“I am not the one who dies… that is what I have learned, and despite everything you have done for me… I will not allow you to drag me down with you.”

He stared directly at her as she walked with the others.

“My Dear Sister…”

 

Blake

 

Night fell on the Desert of Menagerie…

Blake’s team readied themselves. It was now or never. They had to reach Sienna, whether or not the Former High Leader wanted them to. Blake pushed her earplugs in to protect her senses from the Sonic Device that Ilia had at the ready to use against Sienna so they could get close enough to her without getting shot. Yang revved the engine whilst Blake got onto the back of the Hover Bike. Ren and Nora did the same on theirs and Weiss and Oscar as well. Ilia mounted onto hers and she nodded to them.

“You all ready? This is gonna be very risky.” She warned.

“Ilia… the entire world has been trying to kill us. We’re kinda used to being shot at on sight.” Weiss chuckled. Ilia nodded her head.

“Fair enough.”

Their Hover Bikes activated, a bright purple hue pulsed across their vehicles, the thrust from the Gravity Jets blew the grains of sand across the floor. “Ready… go!” Ilia commanded, then the team all roared up the Sand Dune and jumped high in the air before landing back down on the sand. They shot forward, leaving long clouds of sand in their wake.

“Anyone else already feeling the crosshairs somewhere around here?” Nora asked, pointing to her forehead.

BANG

A bullet shot straight past them right as she said that, narrowly missing Nora’s forehead, the incoming round came from the same place as Yang spotted before. Sienna hadn’t moved from where they last saw her. She was confident.

Hell, she was always confident in herself.

It was one of the things I kinda admired about the woman.

Nora aimed Stormur Skeggox over Ren’s shoulder in Grenade Launcher form, and she fired it from time to time. Not to hit Sienna, though. They were way too far away for her grenades to reach her. No, this was to make her job a little harder, and to make theirs a little easier. The grenades exploded, kicking up plumes of sand that clearly made Sienna struggle to nail accurate shots.

The high calibre rounds still came at them, glowing red with heat, and still only missing them by mere inches. She was an excellent shot, a terrifyingly excellent shot, in fact. Blake never realised she was such a skilled Marksman.

Weiss stared ahead, seeing the glint of her scope from here, shining the moonlight off the lens. She fired once again, and Weiss ducked down, only just missing her and Oscar. The bullet whistled off and ricocheted off a rock which stuck out from the sand, sending it flying off into the distance.

“How close are we for your loud thingy to work?” Yang asked, swerving from time to time to avoid the incoming bullets, even firing some shots back, using the muzzle flash of Ember Celica to blind Sienna for a couple of moments. Of course, from here, it was not very clear if their efforts had any actual effect on her aim. But it was worth a try.

Ilia pointed ahead. “See those natural land pillars ahead of us? We need to get past them. Once we’re there, it will be in range!” Ilia called back, roaring down the dune just in time to avoid one of the incoming bullets.

Ren drove downwards whilst Nora continued to fire more grenades into the sand to cover them as best she could. Shot after shot came flying through, and they headed into the formations of rock that Ilia mentioned. Luckily, these massive formations of sandstone acted as the perfect form of cover to keep them out of Sienna’s view. “Keep moving! Don’t stop! We’ve just gotta clear these pillars and Ilia can activate her gadget!” Oscar called out as he held on, watching the glint of the scope which was following him now.

He swung and hit the bullet at the perfect moment, sending it shooting off and into the top of one of those pillars. It blew some chunks of sandstone apart, throwing the rubble down into the sandy sea around them, causing critters hiding under the surface to scatter. Their Hover Bikes easily crossed this terrain, gliding between the pillars.

Yang drifted across the dune, digging her heel into the sand to turn them around even faster. Then she hit the thrusters. Blake wrapped her arms around Yang as she held on tight, headed directly for Sienna. Now they could tell the scope was on them. The glint of her scope was so bright that Yang squinted her eyes.

Sienna fired at them, scraping the side of their bike as Yang moved to the left. Blake fired in the direction she heard the gunshot, and her bullets were reaching, but Sienna had more than enough time to avoid them. But it gave them time to get even closer before she could get another shot in.

Ilia reached into her pocket and held the device as they got closer to the edge of the Desert Fingers, and she just dodged another incoming bullet.

“Gods, Sienna…” Ilia panted to herself. She shot out from the fingers first, and then she smirked, raising the Sonic Device above her head and hitting the button.

The humans couldn’t hear it and luckily, neither could Blake. But the screeching sound was at such a specific frequency that it could temporarily deafen Feline Faunus. From atop her mountain, Sienna grabbed her ears and yelled in distress as the high-pitched shriek seemed to bury itself deep inside her head.

Ilia smiled, turning to everyone. “It worked! Let’s get her!” Ilia called out.

Yang accelerated ahead with Ren and Weiss, and they swiftly disembarked once reaching the base of the mountain. They all looked up and saw the sharp rocks, and as Ilia arrived, she sighed, tapping the side of her device, finding the battery had died. “Cut it close… but we’ve got some better chances now. Just remember… Sienna Khan is still one hell of a warrior. Don’t think we’re out of this yet. She’ll know this mountain like the back of her hand and probably has a bunch of traps waiting for us.” Ilia explained.

“We’re gonna have a nice long chat with her. Starting with how to greet people without trying to kill them.” Nora scoffed as she got off the back of their bike, spinning Stormur Skeggox through her fingers, now in its axe form.

The cold air made their skin prickle with goosebumps, but it wasn’t just the cold that made them feel this way. They saw the dead bodies at the base of the mountain – both Feral Ones and White Fang. Some were old… very old… and others were not. All had been shot and only made it here. “Gods…” Weiss gasped. Ren approached the corpse of a Feral one and found there was a piece of paper nailed to his ribs.

Betrayer

“She’s only done this to the Feral Ones…” Ren noticed, seeing that the White Fang soldiers who died here had no sort of label on them. In fact, they seemed to look more comfortable and at peace, whilst the Feral Ones died where they laid, and she did nothing with them.

“Ilia… how many people tried to reach her?” Blake asked.

“Hard to say… lots of people venture into the desert. Few return… and in the dunes? With the sand always moving? The bodies just tend to… disappear… not the case on a mountain though.” Ilia explained.

“Are we sure she will even help us? What if she’s too far gone?” Oscar asked, resting his hands atop the Long Memory.

Blake and Ilia fell silent at that question. “Let’s just hope she’s not.” Blake said.

“No… at first I wanted to believe you, but… after this? Seeing how ruthless she is? I know Sienna was never afraid to get her hands dirty, but this is insane. Killing both Feral Ones and White Fang without mercy? Are we sure that’s someone you want leading the White Fang? You think she’s even capable of doing it anymore?” Oscar questioned. Yang sighed, nodding her head.

“He’s right… I’m sorry, but he is…” Yang said.

“So… what do we do if she is too far gone?” Oscar asked Blake, and she bowed her head.

“I… I don’t know.” Blake honestly answered it wasn’t exactly what they were hoping for. And considering how things were looking… it didn’t make any of them feel entirely at ease. “But she’s our best shot. She’s the only people the White Fang will follow now… and we need someone who is willing to do anything. You said it yourself, Oscar. You know how to kill Salem now. We know it is possible… that has to be enough to convince her.” Blake explained.

“Let’s hope so.” Oscar sighed, tightening his grip on the cane. They walked up the side of the mountain, clambering up the sharp rocks, checking to make sure there were no traps lying in wait.

Even now, with all this cover… they still felt like Sienna was watching them at all times.

Weiss pressed her back up against the wall then peered around it, checking to see if there were any traps waiting for them. But down there, she found nothing at all. It was a completely clear path.

An awfully ideal path.

Blake walked ahead, but Weiss held out her arm to stop her. She crouched down and threw a rock down the path, when suddenly a collection of spears erupted from the ground. They then saw the skeleton of a Feral One still skewered to these spears be yanked out from a Desert Bush.

“Good thinking, Schnee.” Ilia gently tapped her shoulder as she walked ahead of them, Lightning Lash tightly gripped in her hand. She focused her enormous eyes as she walked ahead of them. Blake stayed close, Gambol Shroud drawn and at the ready. They turned around the corner to see Sienna in a dark shroud. They could not see her face, hidden by a hood and a face mask – but they knew it was her.

“LEAVE THIS PLACE!” she roared, cutting the cable on a huge crate, sending it toppling down. It slammed down against the floor and opened up, unleashing a pair of Giant Mantises on them. A threat that was not of the Grimm variety, but was in fact merely wildlife that lived out here. They hissed and roared, slashing their long claws together before they both launched forward.

“Look out!” Yang yelled, grabbing Blake and they both leapt out of the seven foot tall insect’s path. It slashed its claws through the rocks, cutting clean through them. It turned and screeched, stabbing at Yang repeatedly. She crawled backwards across the floor until Nora launched Stormur Skeggox into the beast’s chest. The blade cut deeply into the chitin, green blood squirted out but it handn’t seemed to be affected by the axe outside of the damage.

Then it shocked them. It grabbed the handle of the axe with its sharp arm and ripped it out of its chest with ease, and tossed it across the floor. Nora gasped, extending her hand, calling the axe back to her, only for the Mantis to bat it aside as it jumped at her. She rolled backwards and as she rose; she smashed Magni across the side of its face, breaking off one of its mandibles. Green blood splashed across the wall, but the animal just kept on coming.

It stumbled across the floor, and as it turned, Nora caught Stormur Skeggox as it flew into her hand, crackling with pink electricity, and she brought the enormous blade down onto the back of its neck. She slammed the whole beast’s body down against the floor, beheading the monster instantaneously.

She spun her axe through her fingers triumphantly, smirking with pride.

The second Mantis sprinted terrifyingly fast at Weiss, slashing its blade-like claws at her, hissing with every swing it made, but she jumped and flipped backwards, casting multiple glyphs which fired icicles at the creature. They shattered against its strong chitinous body, but Ren sprinted and slid underneath it, slashing Stormflower across the legs, bringing the Mantis down. It hit the ground hard but still snarled in fury, slashing its blades, but Ilia leapt over its head and wrapped Lightning Lash around its throat, sending a single powerful shock into its body.

Killing it instantly.

Ilia panted, turning to the large box that Sienna had those beasts contained inside. “Wow… I’m impressed. Never seen someone manage to capture mantises like that before.”

“I don’t remember there being so many.” Blake commented.

“They weren’t, not originally. But without Huntsman around to cull their numbers, they have been spreading like wildfire, killing so many. Sienna isn’t the only danger out there in the sand, remember.” Ilia explained. Blake walked over to Yang and helped her back up to her feet.

“Easy to forget that there are animals outside of the Grimm that would happily eat us.” Yang chuckled, taking Blake’s hand and getting back up.

Ilia walked up the stone path of the mountain, and as they turned the corner, they reached the area of the mountain that Sienna was situated.

But she was nowhere to be seen.

The team walked out and looked around, weapons at the ready, and Blake listened carefully. That’s when she heard incoming footsteps, and she turned, raising Gambol Shroud and stopping the incoming bullet from Sienna’s Rifle. The bullet bounced off and exploded into the cliff face above them. Sienna jumped off, and she flipped through the air, suddenly drawing Cerberus Whip, and launching multiple explosive blades towards them.

“Scatter!” Oscar yelled, jumping and rolling out of the way.

Yang tumbled across the ground, then turned to see Sienna suddenly throw her chain towards her and wrapping it around her neck. Yang gasped for air as Sienna jumped and spun through the air, yanking Yang forwards. As Yang flew towards the Former High Leader, Sienna roundhouse kicked her in the face, knocking her onto the floor. Yang rolled out of the way as Sienna drew her pistol and shot at Yang’s face, only missing her by an inch.

Blake launched Gambol Shroud at her, wrapping it around Sienna’s body to restrain her, and she snarled with anger. “Sienna! It’s me! Blake!” Blake screamed, but Sienna just snarled with fury, spinning on the spot to yank Gambol Shroud from her fingers.

“Dead people wearing dead people’s faces!” She yelled, sounding insane.

As the ribbon loosened around her, Sienna slashed Cerberus Whip at Blake, smacking her repeatedly with the long chain, and as she slammed Blake up against the wall, she turned to see Yang and Ren both charging towards her. Sienna jumped and bounced off the wall, kicking Yang in the side of the face and flicking her chain, throwing an ice blade at Ren. It froze onto his leg, making him helpless as Sienna rolled across the floor towards him and thrusted up, sending both boots up into his face.

Ren staggered across the floor and turned as Sienna launched dust projectile after dust projectile at him. He dodged some, but an explosive blade hit him directly in the chest. His aura flickered, and he crashed against the wall with substantial force. “Ren!” Nora screamed, then her scars glowed bright pink, and she spiralled Stormur Skeggox through her fingers and blasted a powerful pink beam of energy directly at Sienna.

She turned and her eyes widened, being smashed through a rock and tumbling across the floor on the other side. She snarled, gritting her teeth together as she charged at Nora Valkyrie.

Nora launched Magni towards Sienna, but she rolled underneath it, and Sienna threw Cerberus Whip forward, wrapping it around Nora’s muscular hand. But Nora grinned and wrapped the chain around her arm, before grabbing it and yanking Sienna towards her. Nora thrusted forward, pummelling Sienna backwards, before jumping up and slamming Stormur Skeggox down into the ground with so much force that lightning exploded out, blowing Sienna backwards.

Sienna then stared at her, and noticed the bump, and it seemed to make her hesitate for a moment. She turned as Oscar suddenly charged at her and moved shockingly fast, like he had been in a time vortex. Every single strike was fast. He looked like motion blur. He then smashed her in the chest with the Long Memory, and Sienna growled, about to attack again, until Ilia wrapped Lightning Lash around her, and shocked what remained of her aura, breaking it and knocking her unconscious.

Sienna dropped to her knees, then onto her back. Smoke steamed from her body and they all panted with relief.

They all looked at Ilia and she sighed.

“Let’s tie her up… talk to her when she wakes up… maybe we can get through to her.” She suggested.

 

Eryka

 

Lavinia stood over her daughter, then her burning blue eyes extinguished.

And in that instant, the Magma Storm faded away as well, leaving behind the huge spires of black glass where the searing lightning bolts came crashing down around them. Lavinia extended her hand to Eryka, and she took it, being pulled up to her feet and right into her mother’s embrace. Eryka’s eyes widened with shock from this. Her mother was never really big on hugs. Despite knowing that her mother did care about her, Eryka still felt intimidated by her mother’s presence.

Even now, that fear remains.

If not, even more so now that she knew her mother was a Fully Realised Winter Maiden. “Glad to see you’re still breathing, Eryka.” Lavinia said to her, letting her go.

“Thanks… you too…” Lavinia looked past her daughter to see Winter. The Specialist looked back and just gave a nod. But her interest was piqued when she spotted their guests.

“Robyn Hill… my, my, in the flesh as well. My informants let me know my daughter had guests, but to think the long dead Huntress was here as well? This really is quite the day, isn’t it?” Lavinia chuckled as she approached Robyn.

“Well, it was a big surprise for us, too. Eryka told us about what you are… about what you did back at your old base, and your home.” Robyn explained.

“Ah yes, Salem and Killian thought they could remove me from the picture so she could have full control. Fools obviously forgot that the Underworld never goes down without a fight and we know what they’re doing long before they’ve even launched the attack.” Lavinia explained. “And besides, I had a feeling Salem would come after me eventually, considering the power I have. I’m amazed she never thought to pursue me earlier.”

Lavinia glanced up to the sky, and she narrowed her eyes. “Come on, I don’t control all the weather patterns out here, and controlling that Magma Storm for as long as I did was not the easiest endeavour. I’ll take you inside.” Lavinia said, gesturing to them.

She did a double take at Saphron, Terra and Adrien. “You have a small family with you?” She asked Eryka.

“They got involved and Killian knows… Terra, the dark-haired one… is his Foster Sister.” Eryka explained.

“Right… well, I can see how that would make things awkward. We’re safe here, and by the looks of it, you weren’t followed. But if you were… well, we’ll be ready for them.” Lavinia assured, walking Eryka, Winter and Robyn.

They approached the structure built into the old mountains, nearly buried in sand and surrounded with huge horizontally windswept spikes of black glass covering the peaks. But the entrance was secure, most likely needing to be kept that way after storms. It was an ancient structure, like a temple, and as they walked inside, they saw that the Vasillias Cartel had been using the space inside to their advantage.

“What is this place?” Robyn asked.

“An old temple. There used to be many old cities out here in Vacuo. This was from a time before the land was a desert, before the U.G.R whittled it down to the grains we walk on.” Lavinia explained, walking down the steps. They saw how much they stored here, and it was way bigger than they expected. There were multiple hidden chambers underneath the surface. “The place we use as the front door used to be the very top of this castle. The dunes have buried most of it, but we’ve cleared out lots of room.

Winter slowed down, staring at the wall, seeing old shrines to two people.

Salem and Ozma…

… but to them, without seeing Jinn’s vision, she could not even recognise them. Salem looked so different back then.

“We saved most of our firepower and got it all down here. There’s a bunch of openings hidden around here that we use from time to time to get airships in and out.” Lavinia explained.

“How long have you known about this place?” Winter inquired.

“A long time. We’ve got a bunch of different locations dotted around Remnant in case one falls so we can relocate. This… wasn’t always my favourite, a bit grim, but it does the job.” She shrugged her shoulders.

Eryka slowed down with Dulcis sat on her shoulder, staring down another path to see their army of vehicles. Tanks, airships, even a Dreadnaught. “This place is enormous.”

“Off the radar and more than enough space for my forces. And then some… we saved a bunch of different groups when Salem killed those who wouldn’t follow her rule. Which were a lot of them. Most Criminal Organisations are formed because they hated the leadership that came before. We weren’t interested in going from one corrupt system to a tyrant.”

They all approached her makeshift office, where Roland Vasillias was waiting. He gasped the second he saw Eryka and ran to her, immediately wrapping his arms around her in an affectionate hug. Lavinia smiled to see their broken family back together… in some way. Eryka could feel it in the air, and she looked at her mother. “Eryka… I wanted to say…”

“Mom… please…” Eryka didn’t want to sound cruel about it, but thinking about Neptune… it just hurt too much for her to handle. “Look… we came here because we need your help. The Cartel’s help.”

Lavinia accepted that Eryka didn’t want to talk about Neptune, not yet anyway, and she heard them out. “Against Salem?”

“Yeah.” Eryka flatly answered.

“Heh… well, we’ve already been ahead of you there. Been attacking Black Gallows convoys and Feral One patrols around Vacuo for a while now. But I imagine you’re not interested in Hit and Run attacks, are you?” Lavinia presumed.

“No, we’re going to kill Salem.” Eryka answered.

That made Lavinia chuckle. “You always have been one to go straight for the hardest target, haven’t ya?”

“We’ve already got another team out there finding out how to do it. They’ve got the Relic of Knowledge and are tracking down the Relic of Creation. If we can find a way to kill Salem, we have to take it. She is gonna end up burning Remnant down, and we all know it.” Eryka explained, and Lavinia nodded.

“I guess I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ve seen people through everything they had at Salem and nothing ever worked. Landing blows that would kill a normal human… but… she isn’t human, not anymore. I don’t even know what she is… but she’s powerful.” Lavinia stated, crossing her arms.

Lavinia stared ahead, and she sighed. “You really think it’s possible?”

“Well, when Ruby Rose herself is out there… with Pyrrha Nikos… I think anything is possible.”

That got her attention.

Lavinia turned around swiftly. “Pyrrha Nikos? But she’s dead. I saw her corpse in Beacon.”

“Long story… honestly I don’t understand half of what she told me, but I promise you I’m not bullshitting. She’s alive, with Cinder Fall and Penny Polendina and they’re out there right now.” Eryka explained.

Lavinia walked back and forth, contemplating what they’ve told her and she mumbled softly. “Maybe…”

“Mom?” Eryka asked.

“Are you gonna help us?” Winter asked.

“It will take time for me to assemble my forces and fill them in… but yes. I trust you, Eryka, you’ve never been a good liar. And besides, I’ve been wanting to get some payback against that bitch for a long time.” Lavinia explained.

Then she smirked. “And thanks to our new arrival… we know the layout of her castle.”

Robyn, Eryka and Winter’s eyes widened. “Um… excuse me?” Winter asked. Lavinia smiled, and she walked ahead.

“Come on… see for yourself.”

They followed Lavinia down the stairs and they eventually reached another room. There were multiple Armed Guards stood there, but they stepped aside when Lavinia approached. Eryka looked at them and then they walked inside.

And they couldn’t believe who was sitting down in the room.

“Poor one-armed bastard. We found him washed up on a beach. Must have only just escaped. He’s got some stuff to say you’re gonna wanna hear.” Lavinia explained. Eryka walked past her and she gasped, blue eyes widening and mouth hanging open.

“Cardin…”

He lifted his head. He now had a beard and was covered in scars. Clad in just some rags that had been torn up… and they saw so many horrible signs of torture on his body. From cuts to burns, whips and even a brand on his spine. His arm was still missing after Salem had impaled him onto the ground and pushed his arm away when Beacon fell.

But…

… he was one of them… one of the teams who were all presumed dead after Beacon fell.

Team C.R.D.L and Team S.S.S.N.

Which meant…

“Holy shit… I… how are you even…” Eryka couldn’t find the words, crouching down in front of him and gently squeezing his shoulder.

“Eryka… by the gods I thought you were dead…” Cardin stammered. He sounded so weak. But judging by the food and drinks, they had been nursing him back to health.

“Not yet… seems you’re not either.”

“Not… just… me…”

Her eyes widened, and for the first time in years, she felt hope. She turned and stared at her mother, seeing that same expression she had on her face.

She looked at him.

“Cardin… is he alive? Is Neptune alive?”

“They all are… but…”

“What? What happened?” Winter crouched down beside Eryka.

“We saw an opening and tried to make a break for it, but Salem and her Abductors stopped us… I only just escaped, but they were all dragged away. I had to run, they begged me to… so I could let someone know…” Cardin explained, coughing.

“And that’s how you found my mom.” Eryka pieced it together. “They’re alive… he’s alive… we… we have to go there now. We have to!”

“That’s why you were already prepared to go. You want to get your son back.” Robyn realised, smiling.

“I’ve made many mistakes. To both my children… if I can at least give my boy a second chance… I’ll take it.” Lavinia stated.

Hope…

It was the very thing they needed.

And then it was dashed away.

BANG!

A gunshot rang out, and Eryka spun around… and before they realised it, an explosion rattled the entire building.

“Black Gallows!” someone screamed. Before they were shot down, Eryka sprinted round the corner with Robyn, and saw Clover Ebi and the other Ace Ops stood there.

With Dutch.

He looked at her and he knew… it was time… no more hiding… he had to stop playing both sides. “That gunshot came from outside…” Robyn realised.

“Go! We’ll handle the Ace Ops.” Eryka assured, and Lavinia emerged with them, her eyes burning bright blue.

“You’ve got some nerve to come into my new home and making a mess at the door.” Lavinia threatened, lightning crackling across her fingertips. Winter spun her sword through her fingers, ready to fight beside Eryka and the Happy Huntresses whilst Robyn investigated the other gunshot.

So we were followed…

… for fuck’s sake.

 

Terra

 

Moments earlier…

She sat with Saphron and Adrien, happily holding the boy close as they sat there, waiting to find out what the results of this mission were. She then reached into her bag and revealed something she found on the way here. It was a shell fragment.

“Whoa… what is it?” Adrien asked.

“That is the shell fragment of a Flatback Slider.” She answered with a smile. “You ever heard of them before at school?”

“No…” He answered.

“Oh, you’ll love them.” Saphron whispered, gently bouncing him on her knee.

“They are giant turtles.” Terra put on an exaggerated voice, smiling.

“No way, you’re kidding.” Adrien giggled.

“Not at all, kiddo, they’re real. We probably drove over one. They spend most of their time underground. They only move when they need to, but they are beautiful animals.” She explained to him, waving her arms around to help him picture just how gigantic the things were.

“Have you seen one?” He asked.

“That’s right. In fact, your mom and I did.” She revealed. He smiled with wide eyes as he looked up at Saphron.

“Uh-Huh.” Saphron nodded with a bright smile on her face.

“This was before you were born. We came out here on a vacation together and decided we wanted to help out some of the Nomads. They live out there in the dunes with their caravans, surviving on their wits. Sadly, a lot of them struggle to get the necessary food and water that they need. So we helped them, did the good thing, and brought a group a couple of large tanks of water and some food to get them going through their trek.” Terra explained, and Adrien smiled.

He was so inspired by his parents; he wanted to be just like them.

Saphron hugged him tight, kissing the top of his head, then Terra placed the Shell Fragment in his hands. “That was when we saw it… this gigantic animal. We thought there was an earthquake at first, but then we saw the sand dunes… begin to rise.” She explained, and his eyes widened with wonder. “And that was when the Flatback Slider revealed itself to us. It was one of the most incredible things I have ever seen. It was huge… covered in scars from things like Blind Worms that attacked them. But even those giant Grimm couldn’t even hurt the giant Turtles.”

“Wow…” Adrien gasped.

“One day you will see one too. When all of this is over… I’ll take you back to these deserts when you’re older. And you’ll get to see one too.” She promised, winking at him.

He bounced with excitement, like he wanted to grow up right then and there. She ruffled his hair, then stood up.

“Alright… I need to take a leak. Be right back.” Terra promised.

“Okay, be safe.” Saphron smiled as she walked away from them. Terra approached one of the guards.

“Excuse me… is there a toilet around here somewhere?” She asked.

“Yeah, just down that hall and to the left.” He assured, she turned and saw the external hall where she could see the dunes. She walked out there and approached the toilet. She took a few minutes to relieve herself and then came out to return to her family.

Then she heard the gun click behind her. “Turn… Around…”

She felt her blood run cold and realised he had been waiting for her. But she steeled her nerves, and turned around with a scowl, facing Killian with his Chrome Pistol pointed directly at her. His eyes were bloodshot, and he was pale… he looked bad. His hair was dishevelled and the look in his eye said it all.

He had lost his mind at long last.

And Terra could easily deduce what was holding it all back… it was her…

“Hello, Nathan.” She greeted, but she did not hold her hands above her head, she just stared him down.

“Damn it, Terra… I told you to stay out of this. I didn’t want you involved in all of this… I never wanted it to come to this…” Killian stated. His hand was shaking, but his finger was on the trigger. Terra knew there was no way she could draw her gun on her hip fast enough, but she could at least try, just only when she had the chance.

She scoffed. “Did you ever really know me? I was never one to look the other way. I never could. If I see something is wrong, I will do my damndest to put it right. It’s why I became a detective… I didn’t want bad people getting away with the terrible things they did. I just never expected that you were one of those very people I had sworn my oath against. My own brother…” Terra explained, sweat trickled down from his body and he was wheezing, and he gritted his teeth.

“You endangered your family for what? Pride? I am doing what I have to do to keep the people of Remnant safe.” Killian explained.

“Safe? Stop lying to me, Nathan. Stop lying to yourself… we both know why you’re doing this. It’s why you became a soldier… it was always your worst quality, one you never could quite accept yourself.” Terra explained.

She narrowed her eyes.

“You have always wanted power…” Terra stated. He stared back at her and he sighed.

“Yeah… I have… because I alone know how to use it best. The world is cruel, and the only way to make a cruel world better is through force. Ask the White Fang, where did they ever get with their peaceful negotiations?” He questioned, but she just glared right back. “I will do whatever it takes… and I will sacrifice whoever I must. Even you…”

She just scoffed, shaking her head. “I know…”

Terra swiftly reached into the back of her pants and drew her gun, firing at him and he fired as well. Killian yelled in pain as her bullet grazed across his cheek, but when he fired, he shot her in the chest. She gasped, and the impact made her stagger backwards, tumbling off the edge and down the dune. She rolled down the grains of sand, leaving a trail of blood as she reached the body.

She groaned in pain, holding her chest as she tried to get back up, but she immediately turned and aimed at him, but he shot the gun out of her hand whilst covering up his cheek, activating his aura. He slid down the dune towards her and kept his gun pointed at her head. “You really think you’re going to take this world from us? From Salem? From Watts? From Tyrian? From ME? Do you have any idea who you’re talking to?” He questioned, eyes wide with madness, teeth gritted.

She stared up at him as blood leaked from her mouth, but she showed no fear.

“Yeah… finally… after all these years, ever since I was born… yes. I know who you truly are, Killian.” His eyes watered as he kept the gun on her head and he crouched down, and his voice broke as he spoke.

“I had to choose, Terra… I had to choose. I had to decide whether I let Tyrian do this… or I do it. But I knew what that also meant… I had to choose between my duty and you. But I held it off for so long… and now… this has happened. My love for my sister… blinded me of my duty.” Killian stammered, rising high as tears trickled down from his eyes.

“What the hell does that say about me?” He asked her.

She just stared back at him and held out her arms, ready for him to kill her. She closed her eyes and exhaled…

BANG

He fired, and the bullet went straight through her head and out the other side. Her body fell lifelessly into the sand, blood pooling from the back of her head and entry wound.

Killian shook violently and he unleashed a haunting scream of anguish, dropping to his knees before her body, burying his head in her hands over what he had just done.

And it all made sense now.

His life…

… family and duty…

… it was always a story of opposites.

 

Chapter 35: Vengeance and Tragedy

Chapter Text

Blake

 

Sienna was tied up and leant against the wall, still unconscious after Ilia knocked her unconscious with a single yet powerful charge of electricity. Oscar finished securing the rope that they found, and he stepped away from her, crossing his arms. “You sure it’s tight enough?” Weiss asked.

“Don’t worry, I’ve had plenty of experience with rope.” He assured, and immediately he felt all the eyes were suddenly on him, all looking suspicious – well except for Yang, who just had a cheeky smirk. He turned and raised a brow, then he gasped.

“Wanna… elaborate?” Yang teased.

“Nothing like that! Raven taught me how to use ropes so I could easily set up tents…” He answered.

“Uh-huh… sure… likely answer.” Yang chuckled, walking over to Blake.

“What?” Oscar squeaked.

“What was her name?” Yang continued, making Blake giggle softly. Oscar narrowed his eyes and pressed his tongue against the inside of his lip.

“You have a filthy mind, Yang Xiao Long.” Oscar sighed, which just made Yang chuckle.

“Oh, you ain’t heard nothing yet.” Yang followed up, Weiss and Ren both groaned, shaking their heads in embarrassment whilst Nora just smiled brightly, like always. Oscar crossed his arms and just ignored Yang.

“But… you’re definitely sure the ropes are tight enough, right?” Ilia asked.

“Yes! I’m sure! She couldn’t get out of those, even if she wanted to!” Oscar called back. Yang smirked once again.

“Bringing back memories?” Yang was ruthless tonight.

“Holy shit Yang… I swear to god I’m gonna…”

“I’m awake.” Sienna grumbled. Everyone fell silent, not even noticing the former High Leader was now just deadpan staring at them.

Sienna looked at the predicament she was in and exhaled, pressing the back of her head up against the rocks. Blake and Ilia both approached her, and Ilia crouched down, looking right at her. She looked older since they last saw one another, but it was still the same Sienna Khan she always knew.

“Hello again, Sienna… been a long time…” Ilia greeted. Sienna softly chuckled.

“Ilia… glad to see you’re still breathing.” Sienna commented.

“No thanks to you, y’know, for nearly blowing our heads off our shoulders.” Yang commented, shrugging her shoulders. Sienna gave Yang one hell of a glare, but the Golden Brawler was not one to back down, and she just glared right back.

“We didn’t come here to fight you, Sienna… we wanted to talk.” Ilia’s calm voice was always enough to stoke the fires of any possible argument.

Sienna’s fiery eyes turned to Ilia, then she just sighed before pressing the back of her head up against the wall once again. Sienna showed signs of her age in areas, mostly in her hair, which was still black but had more streaks of silver through the black in places. There were a few wrinkles in places, but mostly just bags under her eyes. She clearly had not been sleeping very well these past few years.

Sienna then turned her gaze to Blake, noticing the blindfold. “Blake… you’re alive…” Sienna commented, and she gently smiled at the Former High Leader.

“Yeah… not in one piece though…” she said, gesturing to the blindfold over the scarring that blinded her eyes. Sienna closed her eyes, and she sighed.

“Adam… it was him, wasn’t it?” She asked her, and Blake just nodded her head. “Damn bastard… I should’ve put him down a long time ago.” She sighed, shaking her head and clenching her hands into fists. But then she calmed herself down, and collected her thoughts, looking at them all as she just sat there. “I’m sorry for firing on you… when I saw it was you… well, you heard me. I didn’t think you were real… these past few months… the desert gets to your head after a while.” She explained.

Nora glanced down the mountain at all the cages that contained all those beasts that she captured. Then at those bodies they all saw left where they fell, the Feral Ones with signs nailed to their corpses. “You don’t say.” She commented.

“What are you doing here? In Menagerie… this place is watched over by the Feral Ones now.” Sienna questioned.

“We came here for you – the High Leader of the White Fang.” Weiss answered. She looked to the Former Heiress, though not with judgement. She was surprised to see her still alive, just like Blake.

In fact – it seemed to be nice for her to see so many familiar and friendly faces again.

But then her face scrunched, and she grumbled. “Former High Leader. The White Fang are no more, the Feral Ones saw to that.” Sienna corrected.

“No, there are still many out there who believe in what our cause stood for. We can still fight back against Salem, Sienna. I know it.” Ilia explained, but Sienna started laughing. Even though she was not a monster, her laugh was still quite intimidating. Sienna Khan always had that aura of power about her.

“Have you forgotten what happened last time we tried fighting back against Salem, Ilia? The Rebels and the White Fang were slaughtered… I saw so many people butchered in ways I couldn’t even try imagining.” Sienna explained, closing her eyes as the images of the past flashed before her. “Salem cannot be stopped…”

“She can.” Ilia answered.

“She can’t. I have watched so many people land fatal blows on her. One man even beheaded her… but I watched as her skull just grew back and she tore them apart, one by one. Salem is invulnerable to all weapons. I’ve seen it firsthand. And so have all of you…” Sienna explained.

“Not all of them.” Oscar answered. Sienna glanced over at the Former Bandit.

“I remember you, boy… you were one of Raven Branwen’s Bandits…” Sienna scowled at him, it was easy to forget that before all this happened – Sienna and Ilia helped Jaune, Pyrrha, Weiss, Blake and Winter hunt down the Rogues. And unlike the others, she did not share their compassion, for she did not know those humans personally like they did.

“Among other things.” Oscar answered. “And to clarify – I know how to kill Salem. We all do now.”

Evident from the change of expression from frustration to slight intrigue – Sienna was listening.

“We have another team of friends out there trying to help us take down Salem. They have the Relic of Knowledge with them. A few hours ago they used it, and it dragged my mind over… because I’m the new reincarnation of Ozpin…” He explained.

That took Sienna aback more than the first statement of Salem having a fatal weakness. “W-What?”

“Long story.” Yang assured.

“Yeah, even now we’re still kinda wrapping our heads around it.” Blake agreed.

Oscar continued, crouching down beside Sienna. “I saw her past, and it showed us how to do it. The only weapon that can kill Salem is the Relic of Destruction. A weapon capable of killing anything… even gods…”

Sienna stared at him, then she just rested her head against the rock again, staring up at the stars. “Yes… the Relic of Destruction… the very Relic that Salem already has.” Sienna replied.

“Well, that’s why we’re here. Some other friends of ours are finding more people who can help us, but we need you, Sienna. We need the White Fang, and we know they will only follow you. We need you to come back.” Blake explained, and then she cushioned her shoulder. “We can stop her, we can end all of this.”

Sienna rolled her eyes, then pushed Blake away with her shoulder. Blake retracted, then Sienna stared at her with her eyes bloodshot with tears. “Do you all just not get it?”

They all fell silent.

“I didn’t run and abandon the cause because of Salem… I abandoned the cause because the very people I had been fighting for betrayed us all. The Faunus… not Humanity… the Faunus. We had sacrificed so much to help our own people, and then… then the very people we fought so hard for betrayed us. Slaughtered so many friends… Salem gave the Feral Ones power… but the fact they turned on us so quickly?” Sienna’s voice was hoarse from the pain of reliving the Fall of the White Fang.

Sienna stared at Ilia and she exhaled sharply, feeling the tears trickling down from her eyes. “And it’s all my fault…”

“What? No, it’s not.” Blake defended.

“Yes… it is. And you know it.” Sienna said, staring at Ilia. But Ilia shook her head.

“No… it wasn’t because of you…”

“If I had just followed my gut and killed Adam when I had the chance… when he was locked in that cell for four years… the Feral Ones would have no leader. They would have fallen apart and the White Fang wouldn’t have fallen apart the way it did. All the people that have died by the hands of the Feral Ones… their blood in on my hands… because I showed mercy.” Sienna explained. Blake stared at her.

“Mercy has never been a weakness, Sienna. And even if you had killed Adam… none of that would have stopped Killian. It wouldn’t have stopped Watts. And it wouldn’t have stopped Salem or the Inhumane Necessity. Salem would never let the White Fang stay standing. Anything she deems a threat is destroyed. Just like the Huntsmen Academies.” Blake explained, but Sienna just closed her eyes again, shaking her head.

“Even if I did… it would be pointless. The White Fang won’t follow a leader who abandoned them… and even if they did, it would take too long to amass forces to attack.” Sienna explained.

“People knowing that Salem can be killed will do anything to change things.” Ilia stated, sounding as optimistic as ever.

Sienna scoffed, then stood up, letting the rope fall from her body. Oscar’s eyes widened with disbelief at that. She had freed herself from his bonds ages ago. She walked past them all. Then stopped, looking back at them. “What you’re doing is suicide. The world already tried… nobody wants to stop her now. And many agree with her. You’re fighting a losing battle. Just stop this and survive for as long as you can – we lost.” Sienna explained, walking away from them.

Blake reached out for her, but Ilia just outstretched one arm and closed her eyes with regret. “She’s broken… I’m sorry…” Ilia sighed, walking over to a rock and sitting down. “It was a pretty dream… I wish we could’ve made it real.”

Nora and Ren looked at each other and they stepped forward. “There must be someone else, right? I mean… what about Blake’s dad? He was the High Leader once! They might follow him, right?” Nora asked, but Ilia just stayed quiet.

Yang stared at the Chameleon Faunus, who just stayed silent. “No… not you too.”

“Talking to her… it brought back all those terrible memories…” Ilia explained, burying her head in her hands. “I want to help you, but… she has a point. The entire world tried to fight Salem and… well… we all know how that went. Nobody wants to fight a losing battle.”

“So you’d rather just give up? Roll over and pretend the bad things aren’t happening?” Yang questioned.

“The White Fang won’t follow Ghira. They viewed him as a coward when he stepped down because they had to do things more aggressively. Sienna is the only person who can lead us against Salem… but… she’s lost hope too.” Ilia explained, shaking her head.

Blake clenched her hand into a fist, then Yang turned, hearing her hiccuping breaths, and tears streamed down under her blindfold. She stormed off, disappearing off down the path. Ren sat down, sighing, cracking his knuckles.

This was what Salem had turned even some of the bravest people into, people who are too afraid to fight.

Not for their own sake.

But because they cannot bear losing anyone else.

Yang immediately followed after Blake, leaving the others to try and think up a new plan. But considering how few options they had left… things weren’t looking good.

 

Eryka

 

Clover and Harriet did not hesitate in the attack, whilst Dutch, Marrow and Vine stayed back.

Elm charged forward after the first two did, but it was clear that she was not as savage as the two of them had become. Eryka grunted, being punched in the face by Harriet so hard that she was sent tumbling across the floor, but she drew Slice ‘N Dice, driving it down into the floor to steady herself. Dulcis screeched, flying directly at Harriet as she darted towards his mother and slashed his talons across her, allowing Eryka to cut up Harriet’s chest. Sparks flew, but her golden aura protected her.

She tumbled down the steps, then Eryka turned to suddenly get smashed in the chest by Elm’s massive hammer, crashing her against the wall. That hit knocked the wind out of her and she gasped, but luckily Winter and Joanna had her back. Winter formed a glyph which shot the huge Huntress towards Elm. The Ace Op turned and snarled. Her aura glowed, and she dug her roots of aura down into the floor, and swung her head into Joanna. The stop was so sudden that it knocked Joanna on her ass, then Elm swung her hammer up into Joanna so hard it threw her high in the air.

Eryka groaned, pressing one hand against her knee as she tried to force herself back up onto her feet, but Harriet suddenly pinned her against the wall. “Such a weak aura… I’m impressed someone as pathetic as you is even still alive.” Harriet snarled.

Eryka growled and head-butted her, knocking Harriet back a few paces, then Eryka swung her fist into Harriet’s mouth. “That’s how, bitch.” Eryka hissed. She sprinted towards her to throw another hook, but Harriet cheated in the fight, darting out of the way and punching her in the side of the head. She then beat Eryka over and over in hit-and-run attacks, before drop kicking her against the railing.

The metal bars bent as she slammed into them, and then Harriet launched forward.

Only for a flash of lightning to collide into her, blasting Harriet down the stairs. Lavinia descended in front of her daughter, helping her back up. “I hate this little shit already.” Lavinia scoffed.

“Eh… guess we are like mother like daughter.” Eryka commented.

Harriet stared at what she was up against, then turned to see Marrow just stood dead still with wide eyes. “Marrow! Quit standing there and help me out!” Harriet yelled, but he didn’t even seem to hear her.

He stood still, his gun shaking in his hands. He stared at Fiona, who stared back at him, but suddenly she gasped for air as Clover wrapped the line of his Fishing Rod around her throat. He jumped over her and looped the line over the upper piping, pulling her up and off the floor.

She gasped for air desperately, kicking her legs, feeling the rope tighten around her throat. Marrow stared at Clover and saw that deranged look on his face. He was grinning maniacally as he slowly choked her to death. Marrow stared up at Fiona, then closed his eyes, and he scowled, aiming directly at Clover.

Clover stared at Marrow for a brief second when Marrow fired on him. The incoming bullets blew him across the room and against the wall with a grunt. Fiona yelped, falling to the floor and coughing in pain.

Amidst the clash, May swung into Dutch’s blade as he quickly transformed his rifle into his sword form. She stared at him and narrowed her eyes. “If you’re gonna do it, now would be a good time.” She stated. Dutch looked at her and he just nodded, rolling away from her. They were simply playing along until now, but after seeing Marrow fire on Clover like that… it changed things.

Marrow rushed over to Fiona, and he helped her up. “Are you okay?” He asked her. She coughed, massaging her throat.

“B-Better now… thank you…” She smiled up at him and he smiled up, only to turn when  he heard the furious snarls of Clover as he got back up.

“MARROW!” Clover howled. “You goddamn traitor!”

Marrow and Fiona both swiftly stood tall and aimed their weapons at him.

Vine shot up into the air, using his aura to his advantage, and he stretched out his arms to the walls and ripped massive chunks of concrete out and hurled them down towards May. The Happy Huntress sprinted, rolling out of the way of incoming boulders. But he turned his gaze when he saw Marrow had turned against them, and he stared at him for a few moments.

May jumped up onto one of the Vasillias Cartel Trucks parked nearby, and she fired an explosive Crossbow Bolt up towards him. He launched another chunk of rubble at her and the bolt exploded into it. Vine stretched out his arms and slingshot himself towards May, who vanished into thin air as he slammed his glowing fist down into the ground where she was standing, shattering the flat concrete upon impact.

He looked around. His robotic eyes scanned the area for her presence, only for her to suddenly reappear beside him. She punched him in the face, then ducked under his fist as he went to counter, but she countered him instead. She punched him twice in his flank, then uppercut him in the chin. Vine gritted his artificial teeth at her, then his golden hand lunged forward and grabbed her by the chest, swinging her into the wall, and then throwing her across the path and threw the next wall.

She tumbled into the room, making the operatives inside flee as Vine used his aura arms to easily get inside. But as he looked around for her, she activated her semblance once again; he narrowed his eyes as he tried to search for her heat signature. But there was nothing. Her semblance was very impressive, indeed. He admired how affectively she used it in combat… but… there was only one thing she could not make him not be attuned to.

Sound.

He spun around when hearing the old broken bricks move, catching May by the throat and revealing her. He turned and then swung her down onto the ground with all his might, breaking the table. He then pinned her against the wall, staring at her. “Damn it… don’t you realise you’re on the wrong side?”

“There are no sides – I only serve Remnant, and whatever keeps the people safe.” Vine stated.

“The Black Gallows are working for Salem and she intends to burn the world down! How is that protecting people, Vine?” May questioned. He paused as he searched his logic. His eyes hardened, and then he punched her with his other fist, breaking that wall as well, sending her tumbling back outside.

May stumbled, coughing from the dust, and Vine launched towards her again, but May jumped up in the air, spinning and she swung her boot down onto the top of his bald head. He crashed into the floor, rolling through the debris before coming to a stop. May looked at him as he got up and he stared at Marrow, fighting with Fiona now against Clover, and he glanced at May, who was still ready to fight.

But May was not stupid… she knew he was starting to see that the Black Gallows were no longer what Remnant needed to survive.

Nearby, Winter slashed forward with a defiant roar, cutting across Elm’s powerful aura, but her adversary was far larger and stronger than the Atlesian Specialist. Elm took the incoming blows with ease, then grabbed Winter by the throat, lifted her off the floor and smashed her down against the ground with all her might. Elm bellowed and swung the hammer down towards her head, and Winter gasped, looking away.

But it never struck, she looked up to see Elm catching the hammer, growling with fury before she punched it up in the air, and then smashed her fist into Elm’s face so hard it ripped her from the ground she had anchored herself onto. Elm crashed into the wall, and Joanna charged towards her, punching her twice in the face, then another three times in her torso, and another up her chin. Elm growled, then kicked her in the gut, knocking her back, and then she transformed her hammer into Missile Launcher form, blasting a rocket towards Joanna.

Winter swung her sword, forming a protective glyph in front of Joanna which took the explosion for her, saving her aura from being majorly damaged in the fight. Winter then shot up into the air, holding her blade back and yelling as she blasted a load of icicles down at Elm. Some of them scraped her, but most were smashed apart as she spiralled her massive hammer with ease.

Elm jumped up towards Winter, but she cut across Elm’s chest, and then kicked her in the gut again with both feet. As she crashed down into the ground, Joanna roared, leaping on top of Elm. She brutally began beating Elm’s face into the floor with all her might, but Elm caught her fist and yanked her down so then she could punch the Happy Huntress in the face. As Elm got up, her eyes widened as a swarm of Summoned Nevermores flew towards her, cycloning around her like a tornado, stabbing their beaks into her aura and slashing their talons repeatedly.

Elm roared savagely, spinning her Hammer through her fingers and slamming it down into the floor. She created a single but powerful blast of fire dust, killing all the small Nevermores instantly, and she stamped down onto the floor, firing a rocket towards Winter. She ducked down, then rolled out of the way, only narrowly missing them as they exploded off into another side of the subterranean base.

Eryka and Lavinia, on the other hand, continued to clash against Harriet, who darted from side to side, dodging the Falconess’ incoming arrows. She swung at her, but Lavinia slammed her fists down into the ground. Roots burst from the concrete. Even here in Vacuo, she was able to summon them; They tried to wrap around the speedy Huntress, but she still got closer. She punched Lavinia in the face, and then kicked her in the back with both feet, using that force to launch towards Harriet.

She grabbed Eryka under her chin and smashed her down into the floor with significant force, breaking her aura once again. Eryka groaned in pain, and she swiftly picked up Slice ‘N Dice in an attempted to skewer the Kingpin’s Daughter. But Lavinia formed a pair of swords forged from ice and she charged towards the Ace Ops Huntress, blasting lightning into her, blowing her off Eryka.

Eryka rolled out of the way and swiftly picked up Constantine Damascus, and she drew her bow back, and Dulcis flew towards her. As she fired the arrow, Dulcis caught it, and his body ignited with fire, creating the Burning Phoenix. He screeched with fury, and Harriet gasped, eyes wide as the huge burning Aura of Dulcis flew towards her, scorching everything beneath him. She sprinted, then ran across the wall before jumping down, narrowly avoiding the Phoenix, and she went to punch Eryka in the face.

But she had been skilled in fighting long before she became an Official Huntress. She caught her by the throat and smashed Harriet into the floor, and punched her over and over in the face. Harriet quickly recovered, however, wrapping her legs around Eryka’s head and twisting around, smashing Eryka down into the floor.

But just as Harriet tried to punch her, Lavinia caught her fist and threw her up into the air. Lavinia blasted up at her, punching Harriet in the face, and she exploded through the roof, allowing light bleed inside. She grabbed Harriet by the throat as she flew high in the air, punching her repeatedly, before tossing her high in the air, and the sky darkened. She summoned forked lightning which came together and knocked Harriet back down towards the ground.

Eryka rolled aside and Harriet smashed into the ground, her Exo-Suit smashed to bits and her aura broken completely. She groaned in pain and Eryka immediately kicked Harriet in the face, knocking her unconscious. “Annoying bitch.” Eryka growled, rolling her shoulder and blowing some blood out from her nose, and spitting some out of her mouth.

Lavinia descended back down and immediately checked on her daughter. “You alright?” She asked her.

“Eh, been through worse…” Eryka then looked down at the totally obliterated Harriet Bree. “A bit overkill…”

“Eh, she deserved it.”

“Yeah, she did.”

Clover sprinted at Marrow and fired his pistol at him, but Marrow spun Fetch swiftly through his fingers, blocking the incoming bullets, then both he and Fiona sprinted at him. Fiona elegantly slid underneath Clover’s fishing line and she punched him in the back of the leg, allowing Marrow to jump up and knee him in the nose. He flipped through the air and landed on both feet, aiming down the sights of Fetch in its rifle form, firing multiple times at him, withering his aura away with every bullet. But he then rolled aside and launched the line towards Marrow, wrapping it around his throat and tightening it, but Fiona jumped up and kicked him in the side of the head.

She then slashed her Crossbow Staff across his body, and stabbed it down into the floor, spinning around on it and kicking him in the face once again. He stumbled back, and then she kicked his Fishing Rod out of his hand. But as he landed, he threw his Horseshoe at her, knocking her onto the floor. He sprinted towards her and grabbed her by the throat, strangling her with a savage glare in his eyes.

She gasped for air, terrified of that look in his eyes as he grinned. Until a bullet shot at him, knocking him off her. He looked up and his eyes widened.

“Get the hell off her.” Dutch snarled, firing shot after shot at him. He stood beside her, still shooting at him. The familiar shots made Vine stop, and he saw Dutch also standing beside Marrow, helping Fiona up.

“Traitor…” Clover snarled.

“I’m done standing by and letting Killian burn the world down. Stand down.” Dutch commanded.

Elm turned as well, and she gasped. Seeing Harriet unconscious on the floor, she hissed and fired a missile towards the two Vasillias’, causing Lavinia to grab her daughter and throw the two of them out of the way. Elm sprinted to Harriet’s side, lifting her onto her shoulder with ease.

She stood with Clover as they backed up, finding themselves vastly outnumbered and outgunned now. “Vine… Vine, we have to go…” Elm said.

“You are all going to suffer for this.” Clover snarled, but then both he and Elm gasped as they saw Vine.

Standing with Dutch and Marrow as well, fists clenched.

“Remnant will suffer if Salem and the Black Gallows remain in power… stand down now…” Vine commanded, fists clenched. Marrow aimed Fetch at them both, and Clover immediately tucked tail and ran. Elm stood there for a few moments, then glanced at Harriet. She sighed, turning and following Clover.

“Damn it, Elm…” Marrow sighed.

“There’s still time for her to see… she only followed him because Harriet was hurt.” Vine pointed out. Dutch looked at Vine and he just nodded at him.

Marrow exhaled with relief, lowering his gun. Then he looked at Fiona, who was proudly smiling at him, and he smiled back.

Then Dutch looked around.

“Wait… where’s Robyn?”

 

Yang

 

“Blake?” she called out, walking through the paths naturally formed on the mountain. It was growing colder and colder with every second.

Where is she?

She could be cold…

She passed by some of the other warnings Sienna had posted in case someone tried to scale the mountain from any side. She really had become very paranoid, but Yang wasn’t worried about any of that. She was worried about Blake, just Blake.

Then she stopped… she heard something…

… crying…

… Blake crying.

She turned the corner and found her; she was sat down at some sort of naturally formed oasis on the mountain. It was beautiful, surrounded by the most colourful flowers she had ever seen in the desert. They had seen a couple of oases out here, but nothing as stunning as this. Yet… Blake could not see it at all. She was sat down by the water, hugging her knees as she cried, and her blindfold had been removed, sat on the floor next to her.

She walked over to Blake slowly. “Blake… are you okay?”

“Please… please go away…” She sniffled, and Yang tightened her fists, swallowing down her own upset of seeing Blake like this.

“I’m not going anywhere…” Yang promised.

“Please… I don’t want you to see me like this…” She sniffled. Yang walked over to her and sat down, gently squeezing her shoulder with her cybernetic hand, and she sat down next to her.

“I don’t care if you’re crying, Blake… I’m here.” Yang promised, but Blake shoved away from Yang and stood up. She sat back, holding her hands against the sand to support herself from falling back.

“I’m such an idiot…” she cried.

“No, you’re not, it’s okay.” Yang promised.

“IT’S NOT OKAY YANG!” she yelled, hearing Blake yell like that made Yang jolt a bit. “I dragged us out here! On this stupid mission, thinking that… people actually would want to fight back! That they were like us… we could have died so many times and it was all for nothing!” Blake argued.

“It wasn’t for nothing, Blake… it’s not over yet…” Yang promised.

“Isn’t it? Because it sure as hell sounds like it. Ilia’s right, there’s nobody else in all of Remnant the White Fang will follow. They won’t follow my dad since he stepped down and they sure as hell won’t follow me because I ran away!” Blake explained, tears streaming from where her eyes once were.

Such a cruel irony…

Her eyes were blinded, yet her tears still worked.

“He’s right about me… I am as stupid as he said…” Blake cried, that made Yang bolt upright.

“Shut up.” Yang retorted.

“Huh?” Blake sniffled, and Yang walked up to her, cradling her shoulders.

“Don’t ever think like that. Nothing Adam has ever said about you is true.” Yang stated.

“But…”

“But nothing. Wanna know what I think?” Yang asked her, gently looping a finger through her black hair, and then caressing her cheek with her thumb, wiping a tear away. “You’re the bravest person I have ever met.”

“W-What?”

“Yeah, I know what you’re thinking… why not Ruby? She’s your sister. And yeah, Ruby is another who’s high up there… but you? You inspire me in so many ways, Blake. You face your fears time and time again, and no matter what the world throws at you, you always get back up. You were the one who helped me get over… this…” Yang said, looking at her cybernetic arm.

Blake sniffled as Yang continued to speak. “And after everything that has happened, you still always try to do the right thing. Something… something I haven’t always been able to do.”

Blake saw her clear as day through her mastery of sensing Aura, and her smile made her heart form butterflies.

“But I always strive to… because you’re the person I always want to make proud. You’re kind, you’re smart, brave, and beautiful…” Yang confessed, causing Blake to gasp, and her lip trembled. “You’re the most amazing person I’ve ever met.”

Blake smiled, and then she kissed Yang suddenly on the lips.

Yang’s eyes widened swiftly with disbelief.

They stared at each other for a few moments after that, then Blake’s ears perked up and she gasped. “Oh gods, I’m so sorry, I-I-”

Yang grabbed hold of Blake and pulled her close, one hand behind the back of her neck, and she passionately returned the kiss. The first kiss that Blake had experienced ever since she lost Sun, and it made her melt into Yang’s embrace, and they finally lost themselves in each other. They gasped between kisses, and Blake held onto Yang tight, pressing their heads together, breathing heavily, cheeks pink.

“Holy shit…” Yang gasped, and Blake giggled softly.

They went to kiss again…

BANG

They both spun around and gasped, hearing gunfire and a large explosion back where they both were. “Oh, no…”

With their moment together shattered, they both sprinted up the path they came and returned to where the others were, finding Oscar being thrown against the wall by a large masked Feral One. With multiple others with him.

He stared at them… and it made Weiss, Blake and Yang gasp.

“Well, well… long time no see.” The Former White Fang Lieutenant growled, laughing darkly at them.

 

Robyn

 

Robyn ran through the Cartel, and she stopped as she picked up some tracers, just in case. They could always come in handy.

“Saph! Terra!” Robyn called out whilst everyone fought against the Ace Ops together, sprinting through the base to find them. She turned and found Saphron holding little Adrien’s hand.

“Robyn? What’s happening?” She nervously asked.

“Find somewhere safe and hide! Where’s Terra?” Robyn asked.

“She went down there to go to the bathroom.” Saphron answered.

“Alright, I’ll go get her. And keep this, in case you have to run, we can find you with these. I’m gonna connect them to my scroll, okay?” Robyn

“Okay… please find her!” Saphron begged.

“I will, I promise.” Robyn assured, sprinting down that hallway and running down it, and she started banging on the bathroom door. “Terra! Terra, you need to hide! The Ace Ops are here!” She called, but nobody was in there. But then her eyes turned… to the blood on the floor. Her eyes widened, and she saw the impact on the floor, then looked down the dune…

… spotting Killian sobbing on his knees in front of a body.

Her eyes widened…

… Terra’s body.

Fury flowed through her veins, and she gritted her teeth, then vaulted over the wall and slid down the dune towards him. “KILLIAN!” She bellowed. He spun around, eyes still wet from his tears. But she kicked him in the chest with both feet, tumbling him down one of the dunes. She slid down, slashing him across the face with her bladed Fan Crossbow, then she pinned him against the rocks.

“WHY? HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?” She yelled, tears in her eyes, but Killian’s Grave Dust arm formed from his sleeve and he blasted a powerful bolt of fire into her chest. Robyn grunted, tossed backwards by the blast. Killian cracked his neck and drew his Chrome Pistol, spinning it through his fingers.

“This is on you, Robyn… you dragged her into this… YOU MADE ME DO THIS!” Killian howled, his mind lost completely. He fired repeatedly at her, but she slashed the bullets out of the air, but she launched herself towards him, punching Killian in the face. As she tumbled past him, his Grave Dust hand suddenly extended a blade which he used to catch the blades of her Fan, staring her down with his bloodshot onyx eyes.

“You’re gonna pay for this.” She snarled, but he kicked her back.

Killian roared with anguish and fury, jumping up in the air and slamming his burning Grave Dust fist into the sand, sending the sand towards her, melting and hardening it into black glass. Robyn grunted, knocked back by the sharp impact of glass. She rolled aside as he fired at her repeatedly with his gun, but then she shot an Explosive Crossbow Bolt at him, which made him stagger back.

She jumped through the smoke, kicking him in the face with both boots. She then rushed back and pinned him down against the floor, punching him repeatedly in the face, then she slashed his face with her fan blade, and pressed it against his throat, trying to break the Respirator. But he grabbed her by the hair and flung her off, and suddenly got on top of her, punching her in the face as well, teeth gritted with rage.

But she blocked his next punch, and then kicked him in the chest, pushing him off. Then she rolled backwards and landed on both feet, immediately slamming her fist down onto the firing button of her crossbow, launching three bolts towards him. But he slashed them out of the air with his Grave Dust arm.

“I actually thought there was good in you once! The one thing I thought you’d never do is hurt your sister! What the hell happened to you?” She yelled.

“WHAT I HAD TO DO!” Killian cried out, firing bullet after bullet at her, swiftly reloading his pistol. One round impacted her shoulder. She sprinted at him and fired another explosive bolt towards him, landing it at his feet. When it detonated, it blew up up into the air, making his onyx aura flicker momentarily, sending him down into the amber. He crashed down, and then she thrusted up and smashed her knee into the side of his face so hard it made him tumble.

As he landed back on his feet, he launched his Grave Dust arm at her, grabbing Robyn by the leg, and he swung her high above his head, smashing her down into the sand once. “ALL I EVER WANTED WAS TO PROTECT REMNANT! BUT TIME AND TIME AGAIN! YOU ALL KEPT ON SABOTAGING ME! PUSHING ME!” Killian screamed, swinging her over again and throwing her into some rocks that protruded through the dunes, causing her aura to flicker as well.

She coughed from the pain of that impact, but immediately rolled aside as he channelled ice into the Grave Dust arm, launching a spear of ice from his hand at her. She narrowly dodged it, and fired more bolts at him, but then he got more creative with his dust usage. He channelled Wind Dust this time, and spun around, forming a small Dust Devil that swirled towards her, and then blasted a beam of fire into it, melting the sand into shards of black glass, throwing them everywhere.

She tried to dodge them, but they shredded into her aura, throwing her across the sand, and he sprinted towards her as the Dust Devil died down, and grabbed her by the throat, effortlessly lifting her off the ground. “I will do whatever it takes to save Remnant, and nothing is gonna stand in my way.” Killian snarled, throwing her across the dunes again.

She crashed and tumbled through a dune, making her aura flicker again, now in the red. She groaned in pain, but gritted her teeth as Killian sprinted up the dune and jumped off the edge towards her.

Until a powerful shot hit him in the chest, knocking him down the dune. He dragged his hand into sand to slow himself down. He stared ahead and his eyes widened… and he gasped with disbelief. “You…”

Robyn turned, and she smiled.

Dutch landed beside her and he advanced, scowling and with no remorse for Killian now, and he relentlessly shot at Killian, nailing every single shot. One round hit Killian in the shoulder, sending him tumbling down the dune. “Dutch… argh…” Robyn winced, holding her side.

“It’s alright, catch your breath.” Dutch assured, staring ahead as he felt the ground shake.

The dunes exploded, and Killian erupted from them, roaring with rage as he hovered in the air, using thrusters built into his boots. “You turned her against me! THIS IS ALL ON YOU SHE WAS NEVER SUPPOSED TO BE HERE!” Killian’s voice echoed across the desert as he yelled.

Dutch gasped. His eyes widened with heartbreak when he saw the corpse of Terra on the floor, and he gritted his teeth, aiming up at the man who saved his life.

Now turned into a monster.

“No… you did this yourself… and I see you for what you really are now. I’m done looking the other way.” Dutch growled. Killian launched down towards Dutch, then he transformed his rifle into sword form, blocking the claws of Killian’s Grave Dust arm, glaring right back. He slashed up into him, knocking him back, and then he sprinted towards him, sliding underneath the incoming hand that stretched out towards him.

He cut across Killian’s leg, dropping him to one knee, but Killian spun around and punched Dutch in the face, dropping him on the floor. He then fired at him, but Dutch rolled aside and swiftly fired back. Killian rolled aside, using Wind Dust to pull the sand up in the air, and melted it down into shards of black glass, and wind once again to launch it towards Dutch. Killian then shot forward, slashing down at Dutch in a diagonal attack, then punching up his jaw. Dutch crashed against the floor, then Killian grabbed him by the throat, dragging him through the sand and threw him down the dune, with wide, furious eyes.

Dutch rolled aside, then aimed up at Killian, revealing his Grenade Launcher attachment, firing it at him.

The grenade whistled through the air towards him, exploding into Killian’s chest, making his aura flicker once again, also now in the red. Dutch got up and sprinted up the dune, jumping up and punching him in the face as he got back up. Dutch rolled down the dune, slashing his sword towards Killian’s neck, only for Killian to catch the blade of his sword in his Grave Dust hand.

Killian ripped the weapon from Dutch’s hand and then punched him in the face. He grabbed Dutch by the throat and pumped fire dust into his palm, burning away his aura, scowling down at him, making his aura flicker more and more as he burned it away. “I should have let you kill yourself that day I found you.” He snarled.

Suddenly, Robyn threw herself into Killian, tackling him to the floor, punching him in the face so hard it broke his aura. She punched him repeatedly, bruising his face and bloodying his nose. But he kicked her off and punched her with his Grave Dust hand, breaking her aura. Dutch scrambled up, but Killian also blasted a fireball at him, shattering what remained of his aura as well.

They were all in a perilous state now. Dutch growled as he tried to get back up, turning as Killian slowly got back up, clenching both hands into fists. Robyn aimed at him, but he turned and went to shoot her, but she fired, lodging a crossbow bolt into his shoulder. He fired at her, and it hit her wrist that the crossbow was attached. Robyn screamed in agony as the bullet broke her weapon apart and blood splattered out.

Dutch sprinted at Killian, pinning him against the wall, smashing his face against the wall repeatedly with his face. Robyn looked at him, then her face hardened with a plan. Killian kicked Dutch off and slashed at him, only narrowly missing when Robyn tackled him again, pressing her hand against his back, and then tumbling off. Killian got back up and Dutch wrapped one arm around his throat and choked him, punching him in the back.

Killian swung his head back and then punched Dutch in the face so hard it broke his nose, knocking him down into the sand.

Robyn winced in pain, applying pressure to her gunshot, then she saw Killian rush for his gun, and she sprinted after him. She punched him in the face, but he then grabbed her wounded arm, making her yell in pain as a searing feeling rushed through her. Then he punched her in the face and swiped her off her feet with his leg.

He reached for the gun, but Dutch grabbed him by the back of his head and smashed his face into a rock as hard as he could.

All three were exhausted now, but were not stopping.

Killian jumped for the gun, but Robyn kicked him in the face, then she and Dutch both punched him in the face. Dutch turned to his rifle on the ground and he kicked it up into his hands and turned to Robyn, who smiled at him.

And then… a gunshot…

Robyn gasped, her eyes went wide, and Dutch’s widened as well.

Killian had grabbed the gun and turned, firing it into Robyn’s back from below in the shadows. And it went straight through her chest. Blood stained her shirt as she stumbled forward. “No… No… no, no, no… ROBYN!” He screamed, catching her as she fell into his arms. He tried to stop the bleeding, but she gasped and pushed him away as Killian appeared behind him.

Dutch spun around, aiming his gun directly at Killian’s face.

His old friend… the man who saved his life…

Killian and Dutch held one another in each other’s sights for a few moments, and then Killian glanced past him, seeing Fiona, Joanna and May sprinting with Eryka and Winter and Saphron after figuring out what had happened.

What have you done, Killian…

But as darkness passed overhead, Dutch pulled the trigger, firing at him. But he left it just a millisecond too late, as that shadow allowed Killian to activate his semblance just in time. Vanishing into the shadows, and the bullet shot off into the distance.

He stammered, and dropped his gun immediately, kneeling down beside Robyn and lifting her up onto his knee, pressing his hand against her gunshot… but… it was fatal. She hiccuped breaths as blood leaked from her mouth, raspy breaths. “No… please just hold on…” Dutch begged her.

She coughed and smiled. “You… didn’t hesitate…” Robyn weakly whispered, proud of him.

“I… I didn’t get him…” Dutch stammered, tears streaming down from his eyes. But then she smiled, and she reached down into her jacket pocket, revealing her scroll, and she took his hand away from her bleeding chest.

“When… I tackled Killian… I planted a tracer on him… they had some in the compound… I gave some to Saph.” Robyn explained, and he looked at her scroll, spotting that the one she placed on Killian would lead them directly to him.

“A tracer… hmph… you always think of everything…” Dutch’s voice was falling apart as he spoke.

“Heh… not everything… but… nobody’s perfect…” Robyn said, smiling up at him. She then caressed his cheek. “Someone has to take the fall… don’t… let his lie continue…”

“Killian will take the fall… I’ll make sure of it.” He promised.

Robyn smiled adoringly up at him as the sun rose, glowing across her beautiful face. “Finish this… you promise me…” she whispered, pulling him closer.

“I promise…”

She kissed him gently, but the moment faded away as the life left her, and her body was left lifeless in his arms. Tears poured from Dutch’s eyes, and he let out a scream of heartbreak and anguish.

He hugged her body as the others arrived… and the Happy Huntresses collapsed to her knees, and the cries of Saphron echoed across Vacuo’s desert as she found Terra’s corpse.

And Eryka and Winter stood beside Dutch, knowing who did this.

Eryka clenched her hand into a fist, and she gritted her teeth with anger.

“Killian…” she snarled.

No more…

… Killian is going to die…

 

Chapter 36: Battle on the Peaks

Chapter Text

Killian

 

Numbness, that was all he felt.

He sat at the outpost he landed his Wasp at, waiting to activate his beacon to call in the Shadow of Broken Promises. The sand blew in the air and he just stared at the blood that stained his hand, unable to wipe it away. He scratched at the blood with his grave dust hand, but only scratching away at his calloused hands so bad that actual blood ran from his open wounds. He buried his head in his hands, shaking as tears streamed from his eyes.

What have I done?

You fucking idiot! Why did you do that? You could have arrested her! Kept her in hiding!

He suddenly swung around with a furious roar, punching the wall repeatedly, leaving bloody stains on the sandy rock. He didn’t even feel the pain of battering his raw knuckles into the rock, screaming with fury as he kept on punching, nearly breaking his hand. Until he finally swung his Grave Dust fist forward, and the punch shattered the boulder into tiny pieces, leaving the panting and broken Nathaniel Killian standing over the remains.

He dropped to one knee, shaking, blood dripping from his splattered knuckles and slashed open hand. He then raised his hands, seeing the blood leaking from his lacerated hand, and then at his Grave Dust hand.

What have I become?

Who am I any more?

He looked at his reflection in the glass of his Wasp parked before him, seeing his pale skin, the bags under his teary bloodshot eyes. He couldn’t even recognise himself anymore, and he just slumped against the hull of the ship, staring up at the night sky. The lunar light glistened off his tears, and he reached up to them.

And he remembered…

Remembered when he was younger, when Terra was still a kid and he was still in training. A time before he became the monster he was, a time before he had to wear a magnetic respirator to keep the Grave Dust from killing him. The two of them laid on the grass in the back garden. Even though he was much older than his Foster Sister, he always cared for her.

“Do you know what that constellation is?” Little Terra asked, pointing up at the stars. He smiled.

“No, I don’t.” He answered. His voice was once so full of life and love.

Terra glanced at him. Even as a kid she always had bite. “You did actually go to school, right?” She teased, giggling.

“Hah-hah.” Killian sarcastically replied, lightning bumping her shoulder.

“It’s Ceratotherium!” she answered.

He scoffed. “Wow, I would’ve never guessed that one in a million years.” Terra giggled as she stared up at the endless night sky.

“Apparently, it represents one of the Old Gods. A Snake who gave his life, gave up everything he had, so that we all could live. His blood became the oceans and his scales made the land, while his soul lives in all of us.” Terra explained, he furrowed his brow.

“Never heard of this one. I know there were a bunch of dead religions and mythologies, but I never heard of that one.” Killian said to her.

“My teacher says there’s all these long-lost legends about gods, thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of years ago. Some archaeologists are still finding these now.” Terra answered.

“That what you wanna be? An Archaeologist?” He asked her.

“Eh, nah… too much dirt. But I’d love to be a detective. They were always so cool.” Terra giggled, and he smiled at her.

“It’s a tough line of work. Scary too.” He told her, but she bounced up to her feet and raised her fists.

“Look at me! Do I look like a scaredy cat?” She challenged, making him chuckle as he stood up. Even though he towered over her, she always seemed to make him feel small in comparison.

“No, you’re one of the most fearless girls I’ve ever met. But… there are some scary things out there in the world. And very scary people… believe me…” Killian stammered, closing his eyes as he remembered seeing what Jackdaw did to his parents. There was so much blood… even after all those years, it haunted him.

“I know… I just… I wanna make a difference, y’know? To help the good people and stop the bad ones.” Terra admitted with a smile, and Killian smiled, and he gently squeezed her shoulder.

“You will… I know it. You’ve got a fire in ya, Terra. And I’ll always look up to you.” Killian said to her, and Terra suddenly wrapped her arms around him. His eyes widened, and he smiled, gently wrapping his arms around her.

“You’re the best big brother a girl could ask for.” Terra gleefully squeaked.

Killian closed his eyes as he warmly embraced her.

When they opened, he found himself back in the present day. He looked down at the floor where his gun was sitting, and he picked it up. The very weapon that he killed that little girl with a few moments ago. As tears streamed from his eyes, he pressed the barrel against his head.

He went to pull the trigger until he felt the gun be suddenly yanked from his grasp. He jolted and gasped, looking up at who had taken the gun from him.

It was Salem.

He looked past her and saw the portal closing behind her; she had arrived at the perfect time, because he was about to do it. She did not say a word, but the look on her face was showing the signs of… understanding. She set the gun down on the rock beside her and she sat down beside him, resting one arm on her knee.

He glanced at her and just lowered his head as the tears dripped off the end of his chin. Neither said a word for a few seconds. Salem was especially quiet. She just waited for him to speak, otherwise she was staying beside him.

“Why?” He finally asked her. “What more can you make me take away from myself? I’ve turned myself into a monster to serve you… and now you all forced me to kill the one thing that ever mattered to me… why can’t you just let me have this one thing?”

“Because I know what you’re feeling, Nathan.” She answered.

“Don’t call me that.” Killian growled.

“I know… I know how it feels to lose everything. For the one person in your life you ever held dear, the one person you believed would always believe in you… to betray you. For you to be forced to kill them.” Salem explained.

Killian looked at her, and she sighed, exhaling through her nose. “And I tried to do the same thing you tried to do just them. I tried it so many times… but I never died. I always kept coming back.” She explained. He could hear the pain in her voice. She closed her red eyes as she relived those moments that she was forced to experience all over again, then she exhaled.

She looked at him, and she cradled his shoulder. “But what you want to do? Taking your life? It changes nothing, it doesn’t change that she betrayed you.” Salem explained, and he sighed, looking down at the sand.

“Everyone betrays me… the U.G.R… Vero-Robyn… Terra… Dutch…” Killian growled, and that got her attention.

“Your second in command?” She asked him.

“It was him… the whole time. It all makes sense now… the man with that X-Shaped Visor, the one who freed Ruby Rose from my custody. The one who helped Robyn the night we slaughtered the U.G.R. And the same one who has been hassling us. It was him… he was the only one who could have known of our operations. And now he has turned two of the Ace Ops against us as well.” Killian explained, clenching his Grave Dust hand into a fist.

“The end draws near, Killian. I have sent Jaune Arc to acquire the Relics of Creation and Knowledge from Team C.P.P.R. But I understand that specific team refuses to go down without a fight, and the chance is very high that they may still escape with one of the Relics. If this becomes a reality… I need you to be prepared.” She explained, looking at him. He looked back at her and his eyes widened.

“I… is it really that dire?” Killian asked her.

“We must have all the Relics… and if they continue to fight against the inevitable. Then we must be ready to do whatever it takes to make sure they bring them to us. I already have a plan to draw them here, but I know they will have no other choice if you have your finger on the trigger. To finish the Inhumane Necessity once and for all.” Salem explained.

Killian looked at his Grave Dust hand and held the grains of sand in it, letting them fall through the gaps in the dust. He exhales and closed his eyes, feeling the cold air brush across his cheek. Then he opened his eyes, the light gone, and he turned back to Salem. “You can count on me. I will do whatever you ask of me.” He promised.

Salem smiled softly, and she stood tall, still gently caressing his shoulder. “I have commanded the rest of your brothers to return to the Sanctum. But… take as long as you need. And know that I appreciate the sacrifice you made for our cause. I will not forget it.” Salem promised, as she walked away towards her opening portal. She disappeared into it, leaving Killian alone.

He stared at his Chrome Pistol, then his face hardened, and he stood up, holstering it, glaring at the mountain he had just left, and he activated his beacon. “There is nothing left you can take from me.”

 

Eryka

 

Her scarred fists were tightly clenched, glaring down at the lifeless bodies of Terra and Robyn, both with fatal gunshot wounds.

The sound of Saphron and Adrien’s cries echoed faintly in the back of her mind, but something darker flows back into her mind. A feeling she had not felt since her days in the pits. She felt every muscle in her body tense as she stared at their bodies. Every moment she heard Saphron and Adrien cry over the body of Terra… it made that rage build and build and build. Her eye twitched with anger, glancing over at Fiona, who held onto Robyn as she cried.

Joanna had a similar look of fury in her eyes, like she wanted to rip Killian apart, limb from limb. Listen to him scream after what he had just taken from them. But then Eryka felt the hand of Winter, gently squeezing hers. She turned and looked at her. Winter was very good at concealing her emotions, but Eryka could see the telling signs of her grief over the loss of their friends.

They hadn’t known either of them for very long, but in that short time, they grew to care. And then that friendship was snatched away by the very man they should have killed ten years ago.

“Hey… are you…” She didn’t finish that question. The answer was obvious on Eryka’s face. The anger, the hatred.

“Ten years ago, we could have killed that son of a bitch. We should have killed him when we had the chance, but we didn’t. If we had… maybe… maybe they’d still be alive. Maybe so many people would still be alive.” Eryka stated, still clenching her fists tight, so tight that the skin on her knuckles paled.

Winter noticed and gently soothed her, opening her hands so she wouldn’t end up hurting herself from her rage. Then Dulcis landed on Eryka’s shoulder, affectionately nuzzling his head against her cheek as he softly chirped.

Saphron calmed her grief down slowly, still hiccuping breaths as she stood over Terra’s lifeless body. She caressed her cheek, her hand stroking across the cheek where it was clean of blood. She then lovingly kissed her wife’s forehead, tears dripping down onto her cheek, and she shakily breathed. “Goodbye my love… I will always love you…” She sniffled, pressing her forehead against hers.

They turned as Lavinia walked over to the two bodies, after making sure the area was secure. Marrow and Vine were both sat down with Dutch sat down as well, still healing from his injuries. “The area is secure, the Ace Ops and Killian are gone.” Lavinia stated, then she turned to the grieving friends of the fallen. She sighed and walked around the gurneys that their bodies were on, and she cushioned Saphron’s shoulder. “I’m so sorry this happened… this place should have been safe.”

“It’s… not your fault… nowhere is safe…” Saphron cried. Even on the worst day of her life, Saphron could still think clearly despite everything. She then hugged her little boy, who cried into her shoulder. Lavinia stood before the two bodies of those they lost, and she looked at the Happy Huntresses. Both May and Joanna filled with fury whilst Fiona cried over the loss of someone she looked up to.

Marrow stood up and cradled her shoulder, but she spun around and wrapped her arms around him. His eyes widened momentarily, but he shared a warm embrace with her.

“More and more we find monsters wherever we go…” Lavinia sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose. Roland approached from round the corner as well, looking at his daughter. Eryka just nodded at him and he sighed, nodding back. “… we promised we would help you fight against Salem. And we will honour that promise… if not just for my daughter, but also for them. I didn’t know them for long, but they struck me as brave and driven women. I wish I could have gotten to know them.” Lavinia spoke.

“They were some of the best people I had ever known.” Dutch spoke up, standing up, rolling his shoulder with a soft growl. “Robyn Hill had a drive that both intimidated and impressed me. Whenever she set her mind on something, the only thing that would stop her would be someone having to kill her. And yet… even now… even after what Killian has done… she hasn’t stopped pushing forward to achieve her goal. Neither has Terra. We can keep fighting to make sure that the world they believed in, a world free from Salem – from Killian – could be made possible once again.” Dutch explained, standing beside Robyn, and he fought back his own tears as he looked at her lifeless body.

Why did I not tell her?

Six years… six years I kept her and her friends safe… and when I felt that way, I hid it…

… I never knew she felt the same way until later…

… and my cowardly ass just kept it quiet.

No more… I’m done looking the other way.

“Robyn saved me… saved me from the Mines.” Fiona softly said, fighting back her tears so she could speak as she walked over to the side of her body. “She helped me, fed me… made me stronger than I thought I could be. I owe everything to Robyn. And to Terra… she showed me you don’t even have to be a Huntress to do amazing things. She never took part in our level of training. She was a detective. Yet if it weren’t for her? We would have never made it this far.” Fiona added.

Eryka stayed quiet, but she relaxed her fury for a few moments, then turned to see Cardin weakly stumbling over, leaning against the wall. He held his stump and winced, and he sat down.

It was easy to forget that literally a few moments ago he gave them the hope that they needed, knowing that Neptune was still alive? Sun? All of them? They were all still alive and being held at Salem’s Sanctum?

It made that desperate rush to get there that bit more desperate.

But losing both Robyn and Terra so suddenly… that was a stab in the gut. He looked at where Robyn was and he sighed, shaking his head sadly. He literally had just met her and now she was dead. He never even got to know who she was.

Dutch bowed his head, then looked over to Eryka. “We will do better… for them.” Dutch promised.

“For them.” Eryka finally spoke, and they all repeated the same words. What Killian had just done was make two martyrs, something he would not become after they were done with him.

Lavinia looked over at Eryka. “I’ll begin preparations. I hope your friends are ready.”

“Me too…” Eryka sighed.

She turned and walked away from them, and she paced down the halls, approaching a stone barrier that overlooked the desert. When she arrived there, Dulcis bounced off her shoulder and onto the railing. He looked up at her, inquisitively tilting his head up at her. He affectionately bumped his head against her chest, making her make a soft chuckle. She turned when Winter arrived beside her, and she leant across the wall with her.

“I know it’s a stupid question… but… how are you feeling?” Winter asked.

“Like you, probably. I’m fucking pissed.” She growled.

“Yeah, you’re right… that’s exactly how I feel.” Winter agreed, also tightly clenching her fists. Then they heard another set of footsteps approach… and it was Dutch. He stood beside them and leant across the railing with them.

“I didn’t mention it to the others…” He revealed, and he showed them Robyn’s scroll. Winter took it and saw what was on there, and her eyes widened.

“When was this updated?” She asked.

“A few minutes ago… Robyn planted a tracer on Killian during our fight. That thing is still pinging, and I don’t think Killian has spotted it yet. We can track him down and kill the bastard once and for all. The man is too dangerous to keep alive.” Dutch explained.

Eryka raised her brow at him. “Guess you’re done wanting to keep him alive then, huh?” Eryka asked him.

“Yeah… guess you could say that.” He agreed. “The son of a bitch needs to die.”

Winter nodded her head, and she exhaled. “Yeah… he does.” They both agreed.

“I was going to go alone, but… well… I have a feeling you would have tried tracking him down on your own, anyway. At least this way we both have better chances.” Dutch explained, holding out his hand.

Winter gave Robyn’s Scroll back to him. “Yeah.” Eryka bluntly replied.

“But I need you to understand… if we do this? It’s a suicide mission. Killian could be expecting us for all we know, and he is going to have Black Gallows with him.” Dutch explained.

“I don’t care. We have to stop him. Nobody else dies by that bastard’s hand…” Eryka explained, and Winter nodded her head in total agreement.

“And killing him will severely destabilise the Black Gallows. It will give us a better shot at attacking Salem, so if we’re going to go after him. We need to do it soon.” He stated.

“Then we better get ready. Because I’m done sitting around and waiting.” Eryka explained, but Dutch stopped, feeling Robyn’s scroll vibrate suddenly. He pulled it out and saw who was calling her…

… Pietro Polendina.

“Pietro?” Dutch sounded surprised, but Eryka gasped and quickly grabbed the scroll and answered.

“Pietro?” She gasped.

“Hello? Who is this? Why are you answering Robyn’s Scroll?” Pietro questioned. Winter’s eyes widened, but then Eryka’s heart sank as she sat on the stone wall. They saw Lavinia and Saphron both walking over alongside the Happy Huntresses.

“We were with her team… I’m Eryka Vasillias. And… I’m sorry… Robyn’s… gone.” She replied.

There was silence for a few moments. “G-Gone?”

“An hour ago… yeah… Killian murdered her.” Eryka confirmed.

On the other end of the call, Pietro took off his glasses, and he sighed, shaking his head. “Damn it… she would have been over the moon with the news I have.”

“What news? What’s going on?” Lavinia asked.

“What are you talking about?” Eryka asked.

“Well… those friends of yours she told me to wait for? My daughter? They arrived, and we managed to do what we hoped to achieve. We extracted the Black Queen Virus from Penny’s head, and extracted the footage… but I did more than just that.” Pietro explained. Eryka glanced over at everyone.

“Care to elaborate?” Eryka inquired.

“I have reverse engineered the Virus to target only Black Gallows technology. Once uploaded into the main server aboard the Shadow of Broken Promises, it will cause all of their technology to self destruct. It will wipe out the Black Gallows in a single shot, including their fleet, weapons and vehicles. We could free the world from their rule all thanks to their uncrackable network.”

Eryka’s eyes widened with disbelief. “Pietro… this is exactly what we needed. You have just made the weapon that will give us the advantage against Salem.”

“The weapon is ready, and I am ready. I will need transport though so you can easily get the weapon up into the control centre of that ship.” Pietro explained.

“No problem. My men in Vale will find him in no time. They’ll get him to us.” Lavinia assured.

“Alright, when some Vasillias Cartel guys knock on your door, it’s not a bad thing. They’re gonna help get you to where we will be. Just be safe, okay?” Eryka asked him.

“Always am… and… I’m so sorry, Miss Vasillias. And to all of you… Robyn Hill… she was a magnificent woman. The world is a lesser place without her now.” Pietro apologised.

“Don’t worry about it, Doctor… you just handed us the very thing we needed to make her proud.” Eryka concluded the call and gave the scroll back to Dutch. He sat there and chuckled.

“A long time ago, that would have been the worst news possible… but now? Now that’s a dream come true.” Dutch said.

“But… we still need to take down Killian. Not just for Robyn and Terra, but like you said – it will cause chaos in the Black Gallows. It will give us a better chance of uploading the virus.” Eryka explained.

Winter then looked at Saphron, but she just nodded her head.

“Kill that bastard… do whatever it takes…” Saphron begged them.

“We’ll kill him, or we’ll die trying.” Eryka promised, giving her a gentle hug. But it was short-lived.

“EVERYONE!” Marrow yelled.

Then they all felt their scrolls vibrate at the same time.

Everyone did…

… something big was happening.

Because the C.C.T Emergency Broadcast System had just activated.

 

Blake

 

“You…” Blake gasped, immediately recognising his outline of aura, and Yang stood firm with Ember Celica, locked and loaded.

The White Fang Lieutenant, who kept his right arm shrouded in a red cloak, but it was definitely him. His mask gave it away the second they saw him, and his voice was the last check on the list. “The Runaway herself… I always had a feeling we’d meet again.” He chuckled sinisterly, then he turned his gaze to Weiss. “And the Schnee Girl… I think you and I have some unfinished business.”

Yang gritted her teeth, and she pumped her fists, blasting towards him, but he swung his massive leg around and smashed Yang across the area, sending her tumbling across the path. She bounced across the floor, then flicked her head up, gritting her teeth. Blake suddenly jumped forward, slashing Gambol Shroud at him, but he ducked and dodged her incoming blows, then he caught her by the face and threw her up in the air, drawing his One-Handed shotgun, firing up at her.

But she vanished as the incoming shotgun shell fragments flew her way, then Gambol Shroud shot down and wrapped around his arm and she slammed both feet into the side of his head, and he staggered into Yang as she shot forward, punching him in the side of the face. He tumbled across the floor, then Yang punched him in the face once again, and jumped upwards, ploughing her knee up his jaw.

He was thrown up into the air and crashed to the floor. That was when she grabbed him and forced his face against the wall. His helmet scraped against the stone and he growled savagely, glaring back at her as she pushed his head into the stone. But then she felt heat grow, and something ground against her metal hand. Suddenly he kicked her in the gut and swung his head backwards into her face to knock her backwards.

Yang flicked her hair out of her eyes and she gasped, watching as the White Fang Lieutenant spun around, grabbed his cloak and threw it off, revealing his right arm. It was a massive, bulky and mechanical cybernetic arm. The cogs and pistons shifted, the plates of armour transformed, forcing his hand to open up, and a long chainsaw blade extended from his hand. He had one hell of an upgrade, adding his old chainsaw to his arm itself, and he raised his organic hand and challenged her.

Yang smashed her fists together, then blasted two missiles towards him.

Outside of this fight, Nora rolled aside as a Feral One fired a missile at her, but the rocket shrieked up into the air and exploded. She then called Stormur Skeggox into her palm and threw Magni into the soldier’s face. He grunted in pain as the hard yet small hammer collided into his chest, throwing him across the floor. Then a second Feral One jumped at her from above with a sword. Her viper eyes glowed brightly. But she stopped the blade just as it nearly touched her neck with the blade of her axe.

Nora hooked the blade of her axe over the sword, then with all her might, she twisted, snapping the sword, and she kicked her in the crotch. The Feral One staggered back, giving Nora the chance to throw Stormur Skeggox directly into the Feral One’s chest. She screamed in pain as it pinned her to the wall.

Nora then ducked out of the path of a Feral One’s Minigun who opened fire on her, a hail of bullets broke the rocks apart, and she opened her hand, calling Magni back to her, and her other hand held her small bump protectively. She then jumped up in the air, channelling lightning through her body and scars, lighting them up pink. She then charged up her hammer and threw it towards the Minigun User. It acted like a lightning bolt, exploding into his chest and throwing the soldier down the side of the mountain, into the traps beneath, impaled on a spike.

She then held out her hand and called Stormur Skeggox from the corpse of the Feral One she killed, and rammed it down into the neck of another who stabbed towards her chest, only for her to nearly cut them clean in two. The soldier choked on his own blood before Nora kicked him down onto the floor, cracking her neck effortlessly.

Ren, on the other hand, sprinted across the terrain, dodging the incoming bullets, and he shot his bladed pistols forward. The grappling hooks lodged into the wall behind the Feral One and he flew feet first towards him. The soldier gasped, eyes wide, as Ren smashed both boots into his chest, bashing him into the wall. That impact dazed the soldier, but he swung his leg around in a single roundhouse kick that knocked him out instantaneously.

He spun around and slid across the floor as a Feral One wearing an Ebony Sabre Exo-Suit swung his fist at him. Ren jumped off the side of the wall then fired his pistols into the spine of the suit, sparks flew from the impact of the bullets, but he spun around and blasted a hail of bullets towards him, extending an electrical blade from the other arm. The Ebony Sabre swung repeatedly at Ren, but he easily dodged the Feral One’s attacks, effortlessly overcoming the lesser combat skills of the soldier.

He then jumped up and over him, firing a grappling hook which wrapped around the arm of the soldier, using the momentum of his landing to throw the Ebony Sabre across the floor. Sparks flew as he smashed against the ground, then Ren landed on top of the soldier’s back, grabbing the release mechanism and ripping him out, throwing him across the floor. The Sabre Pilot swiftly drew his pistol, firing it at Ren. “Die Human!” He yelled, but Ren threw Stormflower towards him, and it slashed across the barrel of his gun, then Ren jumped up, and slammed both feet into the side of the soldier’s jaw, taking him out, whilst Stormflower flew back into his hand.

Ilia sprinted across the terrain with ease, bouncing from broken rock to sharp stone, and she jumped off the edge with a smirk before she landed in front of three Feral Ones. She spun Lightning Lash through her fingers and pressed one hand on her hip. “Really wanna play this game, pals?” She challenged, then they all sprinted towards her with their swords. “Guess so.”

She flipped backwards, dodging the incoming slash of a fire blade, and as she landed, she slashed her whip across the face of one Feral One. Electricity coursed through her body and she screamed in pain, but Ilia jumped off the side of a wall, roundhouse kicking the Feral One in the face, smashing her down against the floor. She then jumped onto another soldier, wrapping her legs around her head and she smashed both her elbows into the top of her head.

The large woman grabbed Ilia by her thighs and threw her onto the ground with dominant force, but Ilia easily rolled the impact off and deflected the incoming bullets with Lightning Lash. The bullets ricocheted off in different directions, then as the large Faunus sprinted forward at Ilia, she jumped into the air, spinning around and slammed the heel of her boot down onto the top of her head. She crashed into the ground with significant force, sliding on her face until she came to a stop.

The other Faunus rushed Ilia from behind, but she swiftly turned and dropped, wrapping her legs around the man’s arm, twisting so hard it made him drop the machete. As it fell, she caught it and threw him downwards, impaling him head first on his own blade. The massive Faunus rushed her once again with nasty scuffs across the side of her face, and she roared as she charged at the Chameleon Faunus. She turned and flicked Lightning Lash, extending the whip into Blade Form, and sending a single powerful shock of electricity into the Rhino Faunus’ body.

She roared in agony as the lightning burned her aura away, and finally knocked her unconscious. Ilia cracked her neck and walked away from the Feral Ones she took down, running back up to join the others.

Oscar launched Thunderous Deception forward, the chained hammer extended and the head of the hammer collided into the chest of the Faunus, blasting him off the edge of the cliff and tumbling down the mountain. He turned as four more Faunus sprinted towards him, and he jumped, and wrapped the chain around the throat of the Faunus he avoided. As he descended, with all his strength, he swung that Faunus over his head and threw him into the rocks so hard it killed him instantly.

Oscar charged forward, smashing the Hammer across one Feral One’s face, then he twisted around and smashed the Long Memory across another’s jaw. He staggered to the side and then Oscar dashed forward, repeatedly striking, at a speed so fast he was moving like a blur, then he ended the tapping spree with a single powerful strike. The impact blew the Faunus down the slope, and then he used the Cane to block an incoming sword. In front of him, a soldier aimed his shotgun at him, but he launched Thunderous Deception directly into his face.

The Gunner grunted, tumbling down the slope with his teeth bouncing next to him. He then swiped the attacking Faunus he held back off his feet with his leg, then swung the chained hammer downwards with all his might, directly into the soldier’s stomach. He gasped in immense agony, winded from that strike, then he turned to the last two soldiers who sprinted towards him.

He charged forward, and he smashed the cane across the face of the first, then deflected the incoming shotgun blast with the cane. He launched the chains of Thunderous Deception around the neck of the soldier he deflected the shot from, and swung him into the other. The force of the collision sent the two crashing to the floor, and as they both looked up, he knocked them both out with one strike with the Long Memory.

Whilst the others handled the Feral Ones, Weiss, Blake and Yang fought off the Former White Fang Lieutenant, but he was still just as dangerous as he was back on that train. If not, even deadlier than before, thanks to his new arm. He sprinted at Weiss who shot forward off her Glyph but he caught her by the throat and smashed her down against the floor, and rammed his chainsaw blade down at her chest, but Yang punched him in the side of the head, and then was kicked in the other side by Blake. He looked at them both and swiftly stepped aside as they both lunged for him, and he grabbed Yang by her long hair, throwing her into Blake’s fist. Yang tumbled to the floor and groaned, but Blake immediately checked if she was okay.

“By the gods I’m so sorry!” She cried out. Yang gasped, eyes widening.

“Look out!” She screamed. She shoved Blake out of the way as she caught the Chainsaw in her cybernetic hand, staring up at the Lieutenant. He forced it down towards her throat, laughing sadistically behind his mask. Sparks flew as the teeth of the chainsaw ground against her metal palm, but Weiss launched herself off a glyph and slashed across his back. The Lieutenant roared in anger as Weiss slid past. Then she raised her fingers and blasted four glyphs of fire towards him.

He raised his cybernetic arm, forming a Hardlight Dust Shield, taking the fire for him, and he laughed at her. “Think I didn’t learn your little tricks, Princess?” He questioned, and the second the fire stopped, he shot his shotgun at her, knocking her onto the floor. He turned as Blake slashed Gambol Shroud at him, grinding the teeth of his chainsaw against her Katana, but he kneed her in the chest then slashed across her neck, beheading her shadow. He looked around and turned as Blake wrapped her grappling hook around his throat and pulled downwards as Yang blasted up into the air, then did the same again, but firing herself downwards.

She threw her metal fist into the side of his head, cracking his mask on impact, and he growled in pain, crashing onto the ground. He punched the floor and turned as Blake went to do the same thing, but this time, he raised his metal arm and let the ribbon wrap around his metal arm. He tugged her towards him and as she flew forward; he punched up her stomach, then caught her by the leg and threw her against the floor with substantial force.

So hard her purple aura flickered.

He stamped down on her throat and growled with a grin behind his mask, forcing down so hard she couldn’t breathe.

Yang blasted towards him, and she tackled him across the floor, and she threw punch after punch into his face. But he kicked her in the stomach and rolled backwards. Yang dodged his incoming shotgun blasts, then she launched shrieking missiles towards him. They exploded against his armour, burning some of the fabric away and destroying the shotgun he was using. She rushed towards him, but as she swung at his face, he caught her arm and threw her into the wall, and then punched her in the gut so hard it made her golden aura flicker, and it momentarily winded her.

Yang ducked down, though, catching her breath as he swung the blade of his arm-attached chainsaw at her head, cutting through the stone and throwing orange sparks everywhere. He then kneed Yang in the face and grabbed her by the throat with his hand as the chainsaw shifted, becoming like a mantis arm, opening out of his arm and allowing him to use his other fist. She gasped for air as the Lieutenant lifted her off the floor, swung her around and smashed her down against the ground with dominant force.

He then lifted her back up and pushed her face against the wall, the spinning teeth of his chainsaw slicing against her aura. “First, I’ll mess up your pretty face, then I’ll butcher the Schnee… and I’ll make sure Adam gets to finish the job with your little girlfriend.” He threatens.

Suddenly, a knee flew into his face, but it wasn’t Blake’s.

The impact cracked the red visor of the mask he wore, revealing his amber eye behind it, and it widened with disbelief of her survival. “Khan?” The Lieutenant gasped, and Sienna walked towards him, Cerberus Chain wrapped around one arm, and fury on her face. She dodged his incoming punch and immediately parried with another to the face. She then grabbed his arm and twisted it around, and forced him against the wall, whispering in his ear with hate.

“You fucking traitor.” She hissed.

“The White Fang had its chance!” He swung his head back into hers, getting her off him, and he jumped and swung the blade down towards her. She rolled backwards, then the other three Huntresses got back up. “I thought you were dead. Guess I can at least keep that idea alive.”

Sienna let the Whip drop, and she launched the explosive dust barbs towards him, but he ducked under them as he charged towards her. Weiss stabbed Myrtenaster into the ground, forming multiple glyphs for Yang to run up. She jumped off them and brought both her fists down over his head, and as he dropped, Sienna performed a perfect backflip up his jaw, knocking him into the air, then Blake threw Gambol Shroud, wrapping it around his waist and throwing him back down against the ground.

Yang rushed forward, fists raised, and he swung at her, but she ducked and stepped aside, throwing two punches into his side and once across his face. One that Sienna took pleasure in throwing. As he stumbled, he became more and more dazed from the furious onslaught of blows he was suffering, but he refused to back down. Sienna jumped and punched him in the face, breaking the mask so badly they could now see part of his face, revealing a beard and scars across his face.

She grabbed him by the head and smashed her knee up into his nose, and as he stumbled back, she threw multiple links from her chain at him, some explosive and others packing ice. The explosive ones made his aura flicker, and then the ice pinned his arm against the wall. He forcefully tried to get free, but then Sienna began to beat the holy hell out of him.

Punch after punch, and she forced her arm against his throat, staring into his eyes with hatred. Blake stepped forward, and she panted. “Sienna… stop… he’s had enough… he knows he’s beaten… we don’t need to kill him.” Blake said.

“He betrayed us, Blake… you weren’t there. I saw him with Adam… butchering our people…” she snarled, glaring at him, and he laughed chillingly at her.

“He’s goading you… if you kill him… he wins.” Blake stated.

“That kind of thinking is what caused this in the first place!” Sienna argued.

“And is that what you want the White Fang to be? A brutal group who shows no mercy? Because wanna know what that sounds a lot like? The Feral Ones.” Blake stated, and that made Sienna pause. “What makes us different to them is that if we don’t have to kill them… if we are given the choice to spare their lives… we take that choice. Otherwise we’re no better than them.” Blake explained, and Sienna snarled with anger, having the blade against his throat.

Then she yelled with fury, storming away from the Lieutenant. “What? You don’t have it in you? Come on!” He roared, only for Yang to shut him up with one hard punch to the face, knocking him unconscious.

“We oughta get that arm off him. Guess that explains what happened to him after the crash… bastard went crazy.” Yang scoffed.

“He was hardly sane to begin with… but he was useful when we could control him. Like Adam… that was my biggest mistake. I kept employing Faunus who were too dangerous for our cause… I should’ve seen it coming.” She sighed, sitting down on a rock, then Blake walked over and crouched down.

Ilia, Oscar, Ren and Nora approached after seeing the conclusion of the battle.

“Then we will learn from this, right? Because I don’t intend to run away this time… I ran from Adam… and what the White Fang was becoming with him becoming more powerful. But we can make the White Fang better… a real image for our people. Throw away the Grimm Masks and have a better symbol. Not one of fear… I know you realised that after the Battle of Beacon ten years ago, Sienna. You knew it was possible.”

Sienna looked at her as she sat there. “I live perfectly fine out here for years… and the second you all come back into my life… things always get complicated.” She sighed, then a smile appeared. “Kinda missed that…”

That made Blake chuckle. “Do you… really think it can be done? That this won’t be like the attempted Rebellions? Because I do not want people dying for nothing… and people will die. You realise that, right?” Sienna asked her, and Blake nodded her head.

“We know the risks are there, but we wouldn’t be doing this if we weren’t sure. And if anyone can work miracles… it’s Ruby Rose.” Blake assured.

“Even after everything that happened six years ago?” Sienna asked.

“A lot has changed… especially them. We all have. And we have all accepted those mistakes. We can’t keep dwelling on the past… we have to keep.” Blake said to Sienna with a smile, holding her hand.

“You heard him… the world… and, most importantly, the White Fang? They all think you’re dead. Imagine the morale boost the White Fang will get when they see your face? Blake too? And Ilia? People will rally to join us.” Yang stated.

“It’s worth a try, isn’t it?” Ilia asked her.

Sienna looked at Cerberus Whip around her arm, and she sighed. “I spent a while thinking about this… I didn’t want to believe there was a chance the world could change because I didn’t think the world deserved it. But… I’m starting to remember how many people are suffering under her rule… and there are still a great many people we could help. I know there are lots of bad people now… people who think Salem is right. And the world after Salem will not be a peaceful one at first with all the believers… but you’re right. It’s a world worth fighting for… to stop giving people like him power.” She stated, pointing at the Lieutenant.

She turned to Blake, and she held out her hand.

“I’m in.”

And Blake accepted her handshake.

Then their scrolls started vibrating, they all drew them out, and saw the same thing…

… the C.C.T Emergency Broadcast System…

 

Salem

 

Moments earlier…

Salem returned through her portal and approached her Throne Room, passing by the still empty chairs, awaiting the return of the Children of Salem. The only one of them here was Adam, who still looked afraid of Salem, as he should be. He was sat at his chair as the Dark Queen walked by him, towards the Seer which was floating atop her table. “Are you ready, Adam?” She asked him.

He jolted when she spoke. “Y-Yes… your grace…”

“Good… because soon, the end draws near… and everything we have been fighting for will be worth it. One way or another… those Relics will be mine. I have faith Jaune Arc will acquire one of my Relics at the very least… but I fear those children will still keep their hands on one… and if that happens… we will be ready.” Salem chuckled sinisterly, pondering the Seer as she stared through the eyes of an Abductor.

It was at the Summit’s Claim… watching Amber.

“Take her.” Salem commanded, and the Abductor attacked, grabbing onto the little girl who had just wandered off for a moment to explore… but not even the Summit’s Claim was safe from Salem.

She shrieked in terror, and just as the Abductor vanished through the portal, she spotted Li sprint round the corner to save her, only to be too late.

The Abductor appeared in her throne room, and it dropped Amber onto the floor. She whimpered in fear as she looked around. Then looked up slowly to see Salem approach, looking down at the child with a smile.

“Ah… Cinder’s prodigy…” Salem chuckled, leaning forward to look her in the eyes. “… we finally meet.”

Chapter 37: Arcadian Secrets

Chapter Text

Team C.P.P.R

 

Arcadia…

Time had not been kind to the old castle. Overgrowth consumed the old hours within the old dilapidated walls of the keep. Animals nested and stalked the land, but immediately hid when they saw the Huntresses walk inside of the town. Ruby looked from right to left, very slowly, gazing over the destroyed Kingdom. Somehow… she imagined it would be bigger. The largest part of the Keep was the castle itself. The actual population looked extremely small.

Crows flew from the trees that sprouted through the crumbling buildings, and as she turned, she saw the old skeletons left behind, cobwebs and inside the ribs and skull of the dead. “Oh, man…” Ruby gasped. She had seen the ruins from the Great War before, and seeing dead bodies was something she had sadly become accustomed to. Even either old or recently destroyed towns from Grimm attacks had now become something she had very little reaction to.

But this…

… this was something else.

“You’d think that the Landmark Restoration Society would have done a better job at looking after this place. Or at least doing the respectful thing and bury the bodies.” Pyrrha stated as she looked at the body, knowing that was once a person. Who had a life, dreams, maybe even a family.

“That’s assuming they even looked after this place.” Cinder shrugged.

“Arcadia? The old Kingdom of Vale’s King? Who the world believed ended the Great War heroically?” Ruby replied with a raised eyebrow. “They would have put everything they had into looking after this place.”

“Yeah… I know it’s been six years since the company was lost thanks to Killian… but this looks like it hasn’t been touched since the Great War ended.” Pyrrha agreed.

Penny walked forward, and she checked inside some of the old buildings, finding more skeletons, broken and ripped apart. “Oh, no…”

“What is it?” Ruby asked her, gently caressing her back.

“We never saw what happened to Arcadia in Jinn’s vision… it never occurred to me…” Penny realised. “The Eclipse, it made the Grimm unstoppable. Nothing… nobody could kill them. The people of Arcadia panicked without their King… and the fear drew the Grimm to their walls.” Penny explained as she walked away from the house, staring up at the rusted old defences.

Ballistas, Catapults and Cannons…

“Nothing they used slowed the Grimm down, and the people inside never stood a chance.” Penny explained.

“Gods… the poor bastards.” Cinder sighed.

“And the few who survived formed something new when the Moon was destroyed… Vale.” Penny concluded.

“Come on… let’s go… this place is giving me the creeps already.” Cinder sighed, Pyrrha followed, but she stopped and looked over her shoulder, feeling like something… or someone was watching them. Ruby looked back at Pyrrha and gently touched her shoulder.

“You okay?” Ruby asked.

“I dunno… I’ve got a weird feeling… I swear someone is following us.” She said, staring at the wall.

“Well, if there is – we’ll deal with it when they show themselves. Let’s just keep going, huh?” Ruby asked her, and Pyrrha stared for a few more seconds, then she nodded and turned around to join her. As they walked through the town, Jaune peered round the wall where she was staring at her, his eyes glowing fierce purple, stalking them from the shadows.

Team C.P.P.R walked towards the raised drawbridge over a rushing river. Lightning flashed overhead, and rain started to fall even harder. Pyrrha sighed, feeling the rainwater already drenching her red hair. Penny did the same, frowning at the water dripping off her long, fluffy locks. Cinder looked up at the sky for a few moments as the lightning flickered in the dark clouds, closing her eyes as she felt the chilly rain patter against her face.

She smiled… she had hoped she could smell that beautiful scent of rain once more… in case she never got to again before Noctus Putrida would claim her. But as her mind drifted towards the truth of her diagnosis, she glanced down to the Relic that dangled from Ruby’s belt.

I need to know…

… I didn’t want to at first but now… well… I think I have a feeling of what gave me this sickness… but I want to be sure.

But I think I know…

People like me don’t deserve to atone… even for the worst things we did…

She looked away from Jinn’s Lamp and then Penny blasted up into the air and slashed her swords through the chains that held the drawbridge, bringing it down. That was when it hit them, though, and Ruby raised a brow. “Wait… the Drawbridge was up… they didn’t let the people into the castle to protect them.” Ruby gasped.

“Seems Thaddeus and his Thirteen Knights weren’t the only cruel people here. Even the rest of his guards were just as bad, cowards.” Cinder scoffed, coughing softly as they walked across the bridge. Penny looked over the edge to see some skeletons in the water. All of them looked like they tried to jump, but clearly never made it.

But as they walked inside, they found something equally shocking. Their eyes all widened, finding more skeletons, all clad in Arcadian Armour. “The Knights…” Pyrrha identified, crouching down and wiping the dust off the armour, seeing the Arc Symbol. She closed her eyes with grief when she saw it, but she swallowed her sadness and stood up, noticing the deep claw marks in the armour, and the teeth marks in the skull and helmet.

“Raising the bridge didn’t do shit, apparently.” Cinder scoffed.

“The Grimm couldn’t be killed under the Eclipse. And look…” Penny stepped out onto the bridge and she pointed at the stone walls, revealing the claw marks. “The Grimm just jumped across and climbed up the walls instead. None of the defences mattered to them. They just kept going. Until they got inside.” Penny explained.

“Can’t say these guys didn’t deserve it, honestly. They abandoned they were sworn to protect to save their own skin. Only to be killed as well.” Cinder stated, walking with Penny back inside, not noticing Jaune watching them from the roof of a building.

Ruby walked around the square and approached the front doors, finding they were already smashed open, probably by the Grimm. “They were trying to use the castle to survive, even that wasn’t enough.” Ruby said, then she looked at the dent in the doors. “Looks like an enormous Creep knocked the doors down, too.”

“Come on, let’s get inside. This rain’s just getting worse by the second.” Pyrrha said. She jogged inside and grabbed her long ponytail and wrung it tight, squeezing the water out, and shaking it off her arms. Penny did the same with her long hair, ruffling it so she could get it out. Ruby rubbed hers whilst Cinder just flicked her head to the side, getting the water out whilst wiping it off her arms.

Inside, they could hear the rain rumble against the castle, banging against the windows, and every now and then there was a flash of lightning, followed up by a clap of thunder. “Take it you can’t just… turn the storm off, right?” Ruby asked.

“I could, but it could draw unnecessary attention. Remember, Salem could figure out where we are if I do anything too extreme with my powers.” Cinder explained, shrugging her shoulders.

“Yeah, good idea. Only use them if you need to.” Pyrrha agreed. Penny jolted at the next thunderclap, and Ruby cushioned her hand with a smile.

“You alright?” She asked.

“Yeah… just… storms remind me of when I was alone, y’know?” Penny stammered.

“Don’t worry.” Ruby lovingly kissed her whilst holding her close. “I ain’t letting you go.”

Penny smiled, closing her eyes and pressing her forehead to Ruby’s.

Pyrrha swiftly combined her swords together and transformed them into their rifle form, aiming down the hallway, checking for anything down there. “Remember… there could be Grimm here.” Pyrrha advised.

“Yeah, be ready for anything, ladies.” Cinder agreed, forming her swords. She checked down the next one to the right, whilst Ruby and Penny checked ahead down the middle, largest hall for anything. Cinder opened a door slowly, checking inside, only finding another skeleton of an Arcadian Knight and with lots of rainwater falling through the cracks in the ceiling.

She closed the creaky old door then returned to the front entrance, not noticing Jaune behind her walking across the bridge and disappearing into the shadows. Pyrrha shouldered her rifle, finger not on the trigger yet, and she used her polarity to open the door by the metal hinges. It creaked open, and a bat suddenly squeaked, flying past her. She yelped but didn’t fire, sighing as the bat landed on the wall behind her, squeaking at her.

“Yeah, you got me good…” Pyrrha sighed, turning back to join Cinder. She was leant against the wall, then Ruby and Penny walked back to them.

“It’s clear so far.” Ruby replied.

“Yeah, nothing on my end, you?” Cinder asked Pyrrha.

“Just a bat, thinking it’s funny to scare me.” Pyrrha answered, making them chuckle.

“Imagine that on your tombstone. Pyrrha Nikos – The Invincible Girl – made vincible and very dead by a bat scaring her.” Cinder described making them all laugh, even Pyrrha herself laughed at that one.

“Well, I’d certainly be remembered…” Pyrrha agreed. Then they kept moving, walking further into the castle. There were many paths, but some rooms had collapsed. Time had not been kind to this old castle, and the eighty years it had been left abandoned had caused the structure to collapse in places.

Ruby checked her corners. Grimm had quite the annoying habit of just sitting in a corner where you’d least expect them. But so far, the abandoned Castle seemed to be Grimm-Free. Somehow that made it even creepier, though. Penny scanned the rooms with her optics, checking for any signs of Grimm activity, but there was nothing. “None of this reminds me of what Jinn showed us… I remember seeing a hall and then a big room… looked like a tomb.” Pyrrha said as she walked with them.

“Yeah, and the sword was just chilling there in the stone, wasn’t it?” Ruby asked.

“That’s right… well, this is a big place. Guess this may take some time for us to explore the whole place.” Pyrrha shrugged.

“Let’s not split up, though. There’s a weird feeling about this place. I don’t like it.” Ruby stated, shuddering slightly.

They walked up the stairs together, and they found the barracks of the Guards on the floor above them. Old rusted weapons were left behind here, swords which all looked identical to Crocea Mors. Pyrrha approached one and held it in her hands, with Ruby stood beside her. She sighed, running her finger across the rusted old blade. “So this must be where Jaune’s grandfather got this. He must have been given one from here…” Ruby assumed.

Pyrrha stayed quiet and then she lifted Crocea Mortem, even though it was highly modified and mixed with her own weapon to make it useful… it still looked like his sword in places. She sighed, shaking her head. “What would Jaune have made of all this? The extent of his lineage… Thaddeus…”

“If I knew Jaune, and I think I can safely say I knew him well… he would have kept going. Y’know? Even after some of the hardest things we’d survive, he’d always be headstrong. I always admired that about him.” Ruby admitted as she walked to the window.

“He was inspired by you, believe it or not.” Pyrrha revealed, Ruby’s silver eyes widened.

“Huh?”

“He told me… that night before we went to Forever Fall, he said he was filled with guilt for fraternising with Cardin all the time. You were the one who helped him be the leader he was… I never got to thank you for doing that.” Pyrrha sighed, which also made Ruby smile as well.

“I miss him.” Ruby sighed, and Pyrrha nodded with a tearful smile as well.

“Me too.” Pyrrha wiped the tears from her eye and set the rusted old sword down where she found it, and they kept walking through the barracks to find anything.

“Anything?” Ruby asked.

“Just more dead knights. This dude got it bad.” Cinder chuckled. Her dark humour was not something the others shared, but they also knew that was her own way of coping with this kind of disturbing locale.

The knight was literally ripped limb from limb. Pieces of him were everywhere. It was quite the horrifying sight, but since Cinder had very little affection for these people, she couldn’t help but chuckle at it. “What a way to go.” She then kept on walking, trying to conceal another cough. She looked at her hand as she wheezed, seeing more blood. She tried as best as she could to hide the raspy breath, but it was getting harder.

How do I tell them?

What are they going to say?

I wouldn’t blame them if they’re glad… me finally getting what I deserve after everything I’ve done.

Penny easily lifted up some toppled over shelves, using her mechanical strength to her advantage, and she walked ahead to investigate. She opened a door and found a crow sat there on a windowsill. As Ruby walked past, it cawed and she yelped.

“VALRAVN!” The voice echoed in her head, making her stagger backwards and hit the wall. She panted, wide eyed, but then the hallucination quickly ended, and the sound of his wind chimes faded away as well. Penny gasped, turning and rushing over to Ruby.

“Are you okay?” She worried.

“Y-Yeah… damn crows…” She sighed, burying her face in her hands.

“You’re still having nightmares about them?” She asked her. Ruby nodded, holding Penny’s hands, then she reached down into her bag, picking up the still sealed letter from Qrow.

“It’s funny… I hate him for what he took from us… for how he lied to us… you’d think I’d burn this thing. But… I can’t… I can’t even leave it somewhere…” Ruby said, staring at his symbol.

“You should read it, Ruby. It could help.” Penny suggested. Ruby stared at it and she sighed, but then she shoved it back in her bag.

“Not yet… I can’t…” Ruby said, but Penny gently caressed her cheek and smiled.

“When you’re ready.” She supportively replied, smiling warmly.

Ruby looked at the Crow, and it flew away from the window, out into the wild. Cinder walked up the next set of stairs and they followed her, finding another large room, and their eyes widened and what they had found… it was the biggest room by far.

No tomb, but it was the Throne Room. Surprising that it was up these stairs, but judging by the entrance they came through, they had not followed the main set of stairs, since those had collapsed a long time ago. They walked inside and found the two immense tables, still with the goblets and plates left behind, alongside the bones of meat that they had been eating. And at the very end of this old, dusty and web-ridden room was the throne. It was huge, but not as beautiful as it once was.

Cob webs and dust had claimed this once royal room, and they all walked towards it. Beside it was another throne, smaller but still royal. “Thaddeus and Delilah’s thrones…” Ruby said in disbelief.

“I’m amazed they’re still here… this entire room is still in such good condition, considering the rest of the castle.” Cinder commented. The Fall Maiden then walked past them and sat down in Thaddeus’ throne, crossing one leg over. She then fidgeted. “Wow… it’s not the most comfortable chair. At least Salem’s was actually comfortable.”

“You sat on Salem’s throne?” Penny asked in disbelief.

“When I was a kid, yeah. I think she enjoyed watching Tyrian and I being idiots like that… the kids we were…” Cinder then pondered that as she stood up from the chair. “Y’know… after seeing what Jinn showed us, I think I get it… why she wasn’t that stern with us when we were kids…”

“It was like having children again.” Pyrrha said.

Cinder nodded. “Gods… I always thought things were so simple. Black and White… it was easier. But… after seeing all that? I still wanna stop her once and for all… but a lot of things she did make sense now.” Cinder admitted.

Penny then looked at the throne, and she giggled, surprising them. “What?” Ruby asked with a smile.

“Oh… I’m just imagining how many people here would be so bored whenever Thaddeus made his speeches.” She giggled, then they all chuckled as well.

Ruby shot past Cinder and sat in the chair, putting on a silly, gruff voice. “Bring me more wine and food! Someone polish my crown!” They chuckled at her silly impressions. Even Cinder cracked a smile and chuckled with them.

“I bet someone threw something at him once or twice.” Pyrrha joked.

Ruby stood up from his throne looked at the windows. They were broken, wind and rainwater were blowing inside. Wind was picking up more and more by the second as the storm got worse, then Cinder looked out the window, noticing the docks, and the waves that were crashing into it. “Damn, looks like a hurricane. Hopefully, it doesn’t get too bad.” Cinder shrugged.

Pyrrha turned and walked towards a spiralling staircase. It was small and more private. “Wonder what’s up here…” she pondered. They all followed her as they left the Throne Room.

They walked up there, but before they did, Ruby stopped and looked back at the throne room, and she raised her scroll’s camera up. And snapped a photograph. “There… for posterity.”

She returned to join her team, walking up the winding stairs to find the next room… but no jokes were here, because they knew what happened here. Their eyes widened at what was before them… it was Thaddeus and Delilah’s bedroom. They all stood there, and a chill ran across their bodies.

“This… this is where Thaddeus murdered Delilah…” Pyrrha remembered, and Cinder walked around the gigantic bed, sliding her fingers cross the old sheets. Dust and webbing had covered them… but you could feel the darkness of this place. Where he murdered her for power.

“All so he could be immortal…” Cinder sighed. They could all still remember the look on his face after he killed her and his eyes flushed purple with darkness.

“I still wonder the same thing that Oz asked him… was it all worth it?” Ruby stated, shaking her head. The four of them were quiet for a while, paying respects to a woman that they never even knew. But she always seemed like such a loving person, who fell in love with someone who was crueller in his heart than she’d ever expected. Penny then looked at the still open wardrobe with the old clothes left behind, feeling the velvet in her hands.

“Her dresses were beautiful… matched her perfectly.” Penny softly said.

“She had fire in her too… she didn’t go down without a fight. That’s something we can be proud of her for… even when dying… she wanted to stop him.” Cinder stated.

“She deserved better…” Pyrrha agreed.

“Sometimes it’s hard to remember that Salem isn’t the only evil in the world… and sometimes isn’t the worst.” Ruby stated, then they turned to walk away from the bedroom, letting the memories of Queen Delilah rest.

They walked back into the Throne Room, and they saw another staircase, one that lead to the roof of the Castle, most likely for the archers and upper catapults to fire from. “Let’s check out the top, see if we have any bad news coming for us.” Pyrrha suggested.

“Good idea.” Penny agreed, but Ruby stopped and unclipped the Relic.

“Cinder, could you hold on to it down here? With all that wind, it’d be real embarrassing if Jinn just gets blown off my belt.” Ruby shrugged, making the Fall Maiden chuckle.

Gods, they’re noticing, aren’t they?

“Sure.” Cinder agreed, taking the lamp and holding it in her hands. They walked up the stairs together, leaving Cinder below. She stood there, and suddenly she felt her breath get weaker and weaker. “No… oh gods… please not again…” She gasped, and coughed violently, grasping at her breast in pain, spitting out blood, even some came dripping from her nose and eye. She wheezed in immense pain, like she was on fire from the inside.

She laid against Delilah’s throne, wiping the blood away as her attack faded. It wasn’t as bad… but there was a lot of blood. She wiped it away slowly. Her vision blurred and red in places, but she quickly wiped away the blood that leaked from her eye. Then blue smoke vented from the lamp, forming into Jinn, who was mirroring Cinder’s position by laying against Thaddeus’ throne.

Cinder glanced at the Spirit, and she sighed, her voice damaged from the coughing. She sounded huskier and huskier by the second. “Would you like me to tell you?” Jinn asked her. “Remember… this is no real question… more of a… confirming your suspicions…”

Cinder looked at her and rubbed the blood from her nose, coughing up a little more blood and spitting it on the floor, and she pressed the back of her head against the wall. “Yeah… tell me…”

Jinn floated over to her and she gently put one arm around her shoulders and another softly to her chest, and Cinder looked at her. She could not physically feel her touch, but the expression alone made her feel better. “The Fall Maiden Powers… like all Maiden Powers… are transferred through intimacy. The last woman in a person’s thoughts would claim the power, usually someone they care for deeply. But that was not how you claimed the powers, Cinder.” She explained.

Jinn sounded so soft and consoling as she spoke. “You killed Amber and stole the power from her. An action like this always has a cost, and Ozpin ensured the spell would not permanently stay with a… False Maiden… and it curses the host. Curses you so that you will die from some form or another… in yours… it is Noctis Putrida. That is why it has mutated in you, not from natural causes like everyone else… but because of a curse bestowed from the very power you stole.” Jinn answered.

Cinder closed her eye, and she exhaled. “I knew it… I think I always knew deep down that was what this was… someone like me? I don’t deserve a chance to make things right… the only way things can be made right for me… is if I die.” Cinder said, but Jinn shook her head.

“No, Cinder… you still have time.” Jinn assured.

“Time for what?” Cinder wheezed.

“To decide who you want to be with the time you have left. You are not the woman you were when you murdered Amber… you have changed. You now have a choice to make sure you are remembered for the good you have done. Do not waste this chance you have.” Jinn said with a small smile.

Cinder pushed her hand against the floor, and Jinn floated up with her. And despite how much pain her entire body was in, she stood tall and regain her strength, rubbing the rest of the blood away. “Thanks… Jinn.” Cinder said to the Spirit, whom smiled and faded away.

Cinder approached the lamp and held it, sitting down on Delilah’s throne instead of Thaddeus’ this time, resting while the others make sure they are not being hunted. She heard the sound of them walking down the steps.

They’re not running, that’s a good sign.

Ruby approached her first, whilst Penny and Pyrrha followed. “How’s it looking up there?” Cinder asked.

“Saw the Praetorian Knights. They’re searching for us. That was expected, though. We saw them the second we left after using the Relic. All thirteen of them are here still, getting closer. We shouldn’t waste too much time.” Ruby explained, and Cinder stood up, offering the Relic back to her.

Ruby furrowed her brow. “You okay? You’re sweating and kinda look… I dunno…” Ruby said.

“Yeah, it’s nothing. Don’t worry about it.” She lied. She gave the Relic back and walked towards the stairs they came from.

“You don’t seem fine.” Ruby finally said aloud.

Cinder stopped and closed her only eye, sighing. “Look… you said it yourself… we haven’t got time. Let’s just get to that Relic.” Cinder said, walking ahead of them. Ruby reattached the Lamp to her belt, then glanced over to Penny and Pyrrha.

“What’s going on?” Penny whispered.

“Something’s up with Cinder… I won’t pry, but… she seems sick. I’m getting worried.” Ruby said to her girlfriend.

“I hope she’s okay… she’s nice now.” Penny said to her, which made Ruby smile slightly.

“Yeah, she is…”

They walked down the stairs and eventually returned to the original floor they started on, and found the next set of stairs down to the lower levels, underground levels – to be specific. Cinder stood at the stairs that descended into darkness.

“Well… nothing spooky about that…” Ruby groaned.

Pyrrha reached into her pocket and pulled out her scroll, turning on her flashlight. Penny also activated her night vision in her eyes, and Ruby pulled her scroll out as well. “If a tomb is gonna be anywhere… underground is definitely a safe bet.” Pyrrha said, walking down there first. Everyone else followed her with Ruby at the back, and as they walked into the darkness, eyes were watching them, despite them not even realising it.

They shined their flashlights around, making sure nothing was lurking in here as best they could. They found old wine cellars down here, and Cinder approached one, holding it in her hands. “Damn… bet this stuff is worth a lot these days.” Cinder commented.

“Bet it won’t taste great.” Penny said.

“Probably not, but you’d be surprised how much some people would pay for stuff like this. Y’know, ‘cause it’s rare.” Cinder stated, but she slid the bottle back into the shelf where she found it, then rejoined her team. They continued to walk through the dark halls of the underground area.

But as they walked, they found light through some windows, revealing this area to be, in fact, connected to the walls that overlooked the docks. The waves were massive now, crashing against the piers repeatedly, throwing huge amounts of water everywhere. Every impact from the waves could be felt ever so slightly, even from in here.

They noticed more and more things in here. First it was a wine cellar… but now… it was a dungeon…

They found old cells with the skeletons… and even mummified remains… of prisoners kept here. And old torture equipment here. Cinder approached a table, finding all sorts of horrific tools for inflicting pain. “This… this is horrible…”

“Every castle has its dungeon… I bet Tyrian would love some of the toys kept away here.” She chuckled.

“Looks like these people died from starvation or dehydration… maybe both… the Grimm don’t look like they got to them. Not like everyone else…” Ruby said as she looked at the cells, seeing them. For moments Ruby felt like she could hear their screams as the torturers had their fun with them.

It angered her, made her clench her hand into a fist.

She stood up and kept walking. Then Pyrrha spun around after hearing something clink behind them. She aimed her rifle down there, but this time, she was not alone. Everyone drew their weapons, staring at the darkness where they heard that sound. “Come out!” Pyrrha yelled.

Penny scanned the darkness with her night vision, but she could see nothing in the shadows. “I don’t see anything… but I heard it.” Penny said.

“Could be a Geist… they like to mess with people.” Cinder suggested.

“Yeah… be ready… if it is, then it’s probably luring us into a trap.” Pyrrha agreed, so they kept on going, but were all on edge. They walked down the next set of stairs and found another long hallway, but this one… was different.

They found it had two more available paths – straight ahead, which looked obvious, and a side path. The other one to the right was collapsed. The main path straight ahead, though, was very interesting… because there were these giant statues of Knights. Arcadian Knights all stood in the same pose, with their hands atop the pommel of their swords, blades pressed down against the floor.

They walked forward, but suddenly heard the sound of rumbling above them. Cracks spread across the ceiling and Ruby gasped, pushing Penny forward and jumping away. The ceiling collapsed, filling the room with a thick layer of dust. They coughed and shone through the enormous wall of rubble to find Ruby. “RUBY! RUBY!” Penny shrieked with fear.

“I’m okay! That was close…” Ruby panted. She then tried to climb up the rocks, but she couldn’t fit through the gap.

“One sec…” Cinder assured, forming a ball of wind in her hand to blow it down, but Ruby’s eyes widened.

“Wait! This place is unstable as it is… don’t risk it.” Ruby said. She then turned left. “There’s another path here. I’ll see where it leads. Hopefully, it links up with you guys.”

“And if it doesn’t?” Pyrrha asked.

“Well… I’ll come back here, and if we have to, then we’ll blow it down. Only as a last resort… we didn’t come all this way to be buried alive.” Ruby explained.

Penny reached through a gap to the love of her life, and Ruby smiled, holding her hand and kissing it. “Keep going, I’ll catch up.” Ruby told them, walking down the path to the left. Penny closed her eyes, then closed her hand into a fist, turning and following Cinder and Pyrrha to keep following the strangely ceremonial path.

But…

… on the other side of the rubble, Penny made a grave error.

That wasn’t a statue by the door they walked through… it was Jaune. He slowly lifted his head and opened his glowing purple eyes, then turned and followed Ruby, spinning his sword through his fingers.

Pyrrha, Cinder and Penny followed the statues, their eyes amazed at how well preserved these statues were. “This is it… we saw this in the vision…” Pyrrha in awe.

“You’re right… the Relic must be down here.” Cinder agreed.

They kept following the statues, and Cinder ignited a flame off her index finger, lighting the torches left behind, one by one. Slowly but surely, the room lit up, and they approached the end of the long path…

… only to find…

… a wall.

“The hell?” Pyrrha stammered with confusion. Penny furrowed her brow.

“Um… that’s a wall.” Penny observantly commented.

“No shit.” Cinder replied, then she walked around, looking for some sort of mechanism. “A hidden leaver maybe?”

They started fiddling with every little thing they could find, and even Penny activated her scanner, searching for anything mechanical here. She searched everything, even scanning the concrete wall itself, but there was nothing there. It was literally just that.

A wall.

“I… I don’t understand… this whole place looks like it’s leading somewhere… why would Ozpin make it all look like this if there’s nothing here?” Penny pondered as she looked around.

“You think this is another trick to throw off Salem?” Pyrrha asked.

“Or we’re missing something.” Penny said. Cinder approached the wall, and she pressed her ear against it, then she gritted her teeth in anger.

“I’m going with tricked. It’s just a damn wall!” Cinder growled.

“No, this can’t all be for nothing.” Pyrrha disagreed.

“Pyrrha, I can hear the damn ocean through it. It’s the outer wall of the keep, that’s it.” Cinder stated, pacing back and forth.

Pyrrha approached the wall whilst Penny and Cinder panicked at the possibility that all of this has been for nothing. But Pyrrha pressed her ear against it and her hand against the wall… but then she noticed something… strange.

A gold light shone around one of her fingers, and she looked at it, ignoring the sound Cinder heard of the ocean crashing against the piers outside. She moved her hand across the wall, hearing a voice in the back of her mind… she could not make out the words, but she knew… it was Jaune…

… not the Brothers Grimm…

… Jaune.

She held her hand over the wall, finding a handprint, glowing gold… she pressed her hand against the print and gasped. The concrete cracked and crumbled before them. Cinder and Penny were silenced by disbelief at what was happening here as the wall collapsed. “What the… how did you…” Cinder stammered.

“I didn’t…” Pyrrha answered.

The entire wall disintegrated… revealing a room… through a glowing doorway.

“It’s a Vault… like the ones in all the Academies… a secret vault.” Cinder gasped in awe, and they all walked into the Vault. Unlike the others, it did not look like an oil painting, it was just as real as the world they came from. Penny smiled at the marvel of how this was hidden.

“This is amazing!” Penny squeaked with joy.

“Oz, you clever old bastard…” Cinder admitted.

And lodged in a stone was the Relic of Creation.

Still in the form of a sword, just as it was when Thaddeus transformed it into its new shape. Pyrrha approached the sword, with Cinder and Penny around her. Surrounding them were some more of those statues that they saw outside, all in the same pose.

Cinder approached the sword, and she grabbed the hilt and yanked it as hard as she could… but nothing. She pulled hard, but it wouldn’t come free. “Damn…”

Penny then took her turn and grabbed onto it, blasting flames from her thrusters to rip it out. But even with the force of her thrusters, it still wouldn’t budge. “Come on, you bastard, make it easy for us?” Cinder sighed, but then they both looked at Pyrrha. She looked at her hand and furrowed her brow.

“I… have a hunch…” she said, still hearing the calming voice of Jaune in the back of her mind, and she approached. “A long time ago… I used my aura to unlock Jaune’s… and when we… were together… we bonded our auras. It’s why I felt him die that night… maybe… a part of him is still with me.” She hoped, walking up the steps to the rock the sword was rammed into.

“One final security measure to protect the sword… only the aura of an Arc can draw it… or someone who was bonded with one…” Penny summarised with wide eyes.

Pyrrha looked at Cinder and the Fall Maiden nodded her head.

She took both hands and clasped them around the hilt… and pulled… and to all their amazement, the blade moved, slowly being pulled from the stone. Smiles formed on their faces, and Pyrrha pulled the whole sword out, holding it high, and she cried with joy. Even in death… he was with her.

“FUCK YEAH!” Cinder cheered, and Penny bounced joyously.

Pyrrha sniffled as she stared at the sword, holding it close. “Thank you… Jaune…”

But the moment was shattered, as they turned to see one of the stone knights suddenly cracked, and it swung its sword at Pyrrha suddenly. She gasped and immediately deflected it with the Relic. A bright flash burst from the impact, and she tumbled across the floor. The statue slashed its sword across the ground, throwing sparks and it glared at them. “Who has come for the sword?” The Stone Knight snarled.

“Oh boy, looks like Ozpin made some guard dogs!” Cinder yelled, blasting fire towards the statue. It slashed at her, but she rolled out of the way, launching fireballs at it. The Knight deflected one fireball but then had one explode against the side of its head. A huge chunk of its head broke apart with lava leaking down from the molten rock, but it held the sword over its head and swung towards her.

“NONE SHALL LEAVE WITH THE SWORD!” The Stone Knight roared, but Penny flew around the room, firing a powerful beam of green energy into the Knight’s chest, burning straight through it. The knight crumbled into dust before them, and then the others all awakened to defend their relic.

One jumped from where it was standing, slamming the blade of its sword down at Pyrrha who rolled aside, keeping her hand tightly clasped onto the sword, but she still slashed across its leg with Ira Red, then jumped up and drove the Sword of Creation straight through its torso, cutting straight through the middle, destroying it.

Cinder blasted up into the air, and launched down, cutting through the arm of another and then blasted a huge icicle through the head of the Knight, destroying it. Two more stood before the entrance, and the three went to attack so they could get out of there.

But behind the two, they saw someone sprinting behind them. “Yes! Ruby, we could use a-” Pyrrha called, but instead they saw a massive sword stab through the chest of the one on the right, and then it cut the other clean in two in no time at all. The killer kicked the crumbling Knight to the ground, and he stood before them.

“That Sword… belongs to my Queen.” Jaune growled.

Pyrrha didn’t even know what to do. She felt her whole body freeze and Ira Red dropped from her hand. She nearly dropped the Relic as well, and her eyes were wider than they ever were before. Her blood ran cold, seeing what he had become, pale skinned and ice white hair with those… frighteningly familiar burning purple eyes.

Penny gasped as she looked at his hip, spotting the Relic of Knowledge dangling from his hip. “No… Ruby? WHAT DID YOU DO?” Penny yelled, blasting towards him, only for him to aim his shield at her, firing a single powerful projectile into her chest, blowing her against the wall and onto the floor. He didn’t even look at her, he just walked towards Pyrrha.

If it weren’t for her aura… that shot could have killed Penny.

“J-Jaune?” She trembled, feeling her heard pounding as he walked towards her. He was so much larger now than he was before…

How is this… how is this even possible?

What did Salem do to you?

Jaune…

“Drop the sword.” Jaune coldly growled as he got closer and closer.

Cinder formed her swords, teeth gritted and ready to kill him if he left her no choice. Penny groaned slowly, getting back up with smoke trailing from her chest, scared for where Ruby was.

He has Jinn… where’s Ruby?

“Jaune… it’s me… Pyrrha…” she stammered. “You’re the man I love… I…”

He suddenly swung his sword at her, pressing it against her throat. She gasped as he stared down at her. “I only remember the weakness I felt when around you… nothing more.” He snarled. He then glared directly into her confused and terrified emerald eyes. “Give me the Sword, Pyrrha. I will not ask you again.” He warned.

Cinder stared at her and saw her grip loosen.

“Pyrrha… don’t.” Cinder stated.

“Jaune…” Pyrrha trembled, but those were not the eyes of the man she loved… but they were frighteningly familiar. He suddenly reached for the sword and grabbed it, pulling it from her loosened grip. He rose and turned to walk away from them. Cinder’s eye widened, and she blasted towards Jaune, only for him to shoot her down as well.

He did not say another word, he just walked away with both relics. Pyrrha was frozen, unable to find the words to describe what was going through her head.

But the Brother of Darkness appeared over her shoulder, with some things to say. “So now it all makes sense… we sensed she had used the dark necromancy once again. Why his soul eludes us. Salem has it under lock and key. His mind scattered to the winds, his flesh mangled and made… into her own warrior. With a mask you would seek to caress, not deface. Inspired.” He chuckled in her mind, but she snapped out of it when she saw Penny rush to her, grabbing her by the shoulders.

“Pyrrha! Pyrrha!” Penny called, as Cinder got up and blasted after Jaune.

“I… he’s…”

“I know, but he has the Relics, Pyrrha. We have to stop him! And we need to find Ruby!” Penny stated, and she shook Pyrrha desperately.

Pyrrha was shellshocked from this revelation, but then Penny held her head, making her look at her. “It’s not him… you saw his eyes… it’s just like…”

“… Thaddeus…” she stammered. “What has she done?”

“I don’t know, but we need to go after him before Salem teleports him back to her! She’ll have all the Relics!” Penny yelled, and that snapped her out of it.

“Y-Yeah…” Pyrrha stumbled, and she shook her head and rushed with Penny to catch up with Cinder. The Fall Maiden was launching herself down the hall towards Jaune, who turned and fired three shots at her. She dodged the first two, but was clipped by the last. She tumbled across the floor and slashed her newly formed Battleaxe at him, but he stopped it with his sword, then kicked her in the chest.

Pyrrha caught up and stared at Jaune again, seeing those eyes.

It was the same.

It was Thaddeus Rex’s eyes…

What did Salem do to Thaddeus?

He aimed at them with his shield, charging up the cannon, until suddenly a cyclone of rose petals banked around him from behind. He turned just as she threw herself into him with a defiant roar, smashing him through the wall so hard it exploded. The wall shattered and the two of them tumbled down the slope towards the pier.

“RUBY!” Penny screamed, and they pursued the two as they bounced and rolled down the side of the cliff towards the pier. Ruby nailed the landing, sliding across the slippery floor, drawing Black Thorn. The Relic of Creation tumbled across the floor and so did the Relic of Knowledge. Ruby sprinted at Jaune as he was about to get back up, but she hooked her scythe onto the back of his neck, smacking his head against the floor.

She slid past him and grabbed the Relic of Knowledge, clipping it back onto her belt, then turned to Creation, which was sliding back and forth on the pier, getting scarily close to the sea. The whole pier was sloshing back and forth from the storm. Lightning crackled in the sky above as they fought.

She sprinted for the sword, but Jaune fired at her, then he charged towards her, drawing his sword and slashing at her. She rolled back, narrowly avoiding the explosive shell he shot, then stared at Jaune. Purple embers trailed from his cursed eyes as he paced back and forth, snarling savagely. “Jaune… what has happened to you?” She gasped, and he snarled viciously, like a wild animal back at her. “Y’know, outside the obvious.”

Jaune sprinted towards Ruby, swinging his sword at her, but she stopped it with her scythes. “Damn it! It’s us! Your friends!” She yelled desperately, but he stamped down against her knee, then smashed his shield across her face.

“I am the Salem Knight! Salem’s Inquisitor!” He roared, he slashed at her again, but she hooked her scythes onto the blade and threw it away from him. But he punched her and grabbed her by her hood and legs, swinging her around and throwing her down on his knee, causing her aura to flicker, nearly breaking. If it weren’t for her aura, that would have paralysed her. “WHO YOU WERE MEANS NOTHING TO ME NOW!” He roared, before throwing her away from him and the Relic.

She slid across the pier and pulled her black and red hood up, glaring back at him as waves crashed behind her. He aimed his cannon at her and fired, but Ruby rolled out of the way and fired her revolvers back at him. He raised his shield, then turned as Cinder suddenly threw her fist into the side of his face. The impact blew him across the pier, and he fell into the sea.

They looked around for him, but he suddenly burst through the surface behind Cinder, stamping down on the back of her neck, pinning her against the floor. Pyrrha stood there, unable to even draw her weapons on him, but she saw the Relic of Creation sliding around the pier. She sprinted for it, whilst Penny flew around above Jaune, firing her energy beam down at him, whilst also having Floating Array rotate around her back.

He raised his shield, refracting her beam across the battlefield, cutting the pier apart where Pyrrha was, stopping her from getting to the Relic at first. But then she jumped for Creation and grabbed onto it, but the chunk of pier she was on collapsed beneath her, throwing her into the water. She screamed in the water as she felt the water throw her back and forth, smashing her into the supports. She swam up to the surface, gasping for air as she clambered back up top.

She turned to see Penny slashing her many swords at Jaune, but he now had his sword back, blocking them all with each swing. Then Cinder ignited her hand and pressed it against his leg. He snarled with anger and she blasted out from under his boot the second his force lightened, and she hovered in the air, blasting lightning down towards him. He aimed his cannon up at her, firing multiple shots at her, but she dodged these and dove at him, burying the axe into the ground where he was.

Jaune swung his knee up into her face, then grabbed her by the back of her head, smashing her into the floor with significant force. Penny flew at him as he slashed across her, knocking her down into the water. He turned his gaze to the two holding onto the Relics and they tried to retreat, only for a massive wave to knock them across the pier. The Relics fell from their grasp, but Ruby quickly caught Knowledge before it dropped into the sea.

Pyrrha scrambled for Creation until he kicked her in the face. He punched her hard, over and over, then went for the sword. Pyrrha suddenly rolled onto him and held him down against the floor as hard as she could.

“Jaune! Jaune please stop this!” she begged as Cinder got back up in the background and Penny burst through the surface of the water, still flying. She turned and nodded at Ruby to go. They had to keep the Relics safe, no matter what. “Jaune, you’re the man I love! We wanted to start a family together, remember?” She screamed over the storm. “I know you’re still in there! Please, it’s me!”

Nothing she said seemed to get through, but she turned and saw Cinder jumping at him with her axe above her head. “Cinder, no!” she begged, desperately not wanting to lose him again, but Jaune shoved her aside and dodged the incoming blade. She stamped down on his throat to hold him down.

“It’s not Jaune! It’s a monster she’s made!” She yelled back at Pyrrha, and went to bury the axe in his face, until another wave from the storm crashed into them both. They slid across the pier, and as Jaune tumbled, Penny flew through the wave and smashed her fist into his face. As he tumbled, he stumbled back to his feet and grabbed his sword, sprinting after Ruby.

The Hooded Rose looked back and gasped as Jaune tackled her down onto the rocks protruding from the sea. They both tumbled across them and Ruby reached out as Black Thorn was thrown from her grip, tumbling between some rocks, getting stuck. She reached for them, but Jaune stood above her and grabbed her by the hood. He swung her around and smashed her face into the hard black rocks with all his might, roaring with fury.

The first hit broke her aura, but he kept on smashing her face over and over into the rocks, bloodying her face more and more.

“RUBY!” Penny shrieked, blasting to her.

He flipped her over and punched her over and over with both fists, bloodying his hands. Every hit made Ruby get closer and closer to death. Pyrrha drew Ira Red and Crocea Mortem and she sprinted at Jaune.

He drew his sword as he stood above the dying Ruby Rose, and he thrusted down towards her…

But something stopped him. He stared down and growled with hatred, seeing Pyrrha crossing her swords together, tears streaming from her eyes, stopping him. She thrusted him back, and slashed him up the chest, protecting Ruby. Ruby spluttered blood, and seeing her face… made Penny go berserk.

“NO!” Penny roared, and she spun Floating Array around and fired a massive full powered green laser at Jaune.

The Salem Knight barked in pain, taking the beam to his shoulder, being pushed across the rocks, until he raised his shield up, reflecting the beam upwards and cutting through one of the Guard Towers. The beam cut it clean in half, sending the old structure crashing down into the deep with a colossal bang. And soon, the massive wave was thrown at them. Jaune tumbled away whilst Pyrrha held onto Ruby and Black Thorn as the water rushed by.

Her blood was mixing into the salt water, but now she was completely unconscious from the extreme beating she suffered. “Cinder!” Pyrrha called out, and the Fall Maiden burst through the water and landed beside them. “Get Ruby out of here, get her to the lighthouse over there!” Pyrrha begged her. “Penny and I can buy you some time.”

“You sure about this?” Cinder asked.

“I have to.” Pyrrha said, and Cinder nodded. She crouched down and picked Ruby up with her weapons rested on her belly and then flew off to protect her.

Jaune clambered out from the water, scowling at them, sword in hand. Penny descended beside her, weapons at the ready, and she nodded at her. Pyrrha turned and saw the Relic and jumped for it, grabbing onto the hilt as Jaune charged at her. But Penny flew and grabbed Pyrrha, holding her close. She went to fly, but Jaune caught onto her boot. The three of them flew high into the air. Pyrrha kicked at Jaune’s face to get him off, but they spun out of control, crashing through the broken glass of the Throne Room.

Dripping with both sea water and rain water, they rolled across the floor, smashing through Thaddeus’ throne.

Jaune stood tall, holding his sword tight whilst Pyrrha held onto the Relic of Creation. She did not know how to use the thing, so she didn’t even try to. She attached it to the magnetic strip in the back of her clothes to keep it there and raised her swords. Penny floated up in the air, rotating her swords, then Jaune fired at them. Penny dashed aside whilst Pyrrha levitated the cutlery with her polarity, launching a storm of them at Jaune. He raised his shield to block the incoming knives, forks and spoons, but as he lowered the shield, the tearful Pyrrha Nikos smashed her fists down on the top of his head. As she landed, she then jumped again, and back flipped, kicking up his jaw.

He crashed against the floor, snarling as he got back up, spinning his sword through his fingers. He raised it up to be eye level, then he shot forward, and stabbed at Pyrrha. She deflected his incoming blow, then slashed across his leg, dropping him to his knee and she swung towards his face. He caught her hand and effortlessly lifted her, swinging her around and throwing her against the wall.

He turned and held his sword up, stopping the many swords of Floating Array from hitting him. She glared down at him with anger at what he did to her girlfriend. He punched her in the face, but she launched back at him, kicking him in the chest and blasting flames into him. The attack knocked him back a few steps. He then charged up his shield, making it up extremely loud, and he fired it like a machine gun, flicking it upwards towards Penny. Explosive rounds shattered the marble floor and multiple shells impacted against Penny, blowing her across the room.

Pyrrha then threw one of her swords at him and gasped, watching as the sword stabbed straight through his chest and protruded out the other side. “No… I’m sorry… I…”

But he turned and glared at her with a sinister smirk, laughing darkly. He grabbed Crocea Mortem lodged in his heart and ripped it out like it was nothing. Her eyes widened, and he fired at her once again. The shell hit her in the chest and she tumbled across the floor. Then she turned to Penny. “He can’t… be harmed… he’s like Salem!” she called to her.

Penny stared at Jaune and blasted towards him, spinning through the air, turning herself into a saw blade, all her swords cutting across his armour relentlessly. She then punched him in the face and launched two swords into his shoulders and smashed him down against the ground. He tumbled across the floor, then stared at Pyrrha. She rolled aside, trying to protect the Relic, but he caught her ponytail and smashed her face into the ground.

He immediately grabbed onto the sword, pulling it from her magnet. Penny flew around him, launching her swords down around him, and she then shot down at him, smashing both her boots into his chest, pinning him down against the ground. But Jaune grabbed her by the throat, and threw her off him, and he rolled his shoulders as they healed, black smoke leaking from the wounds.

Pyrrha got back up and looked around with wide eyes, because the Praetorian Knights had arrived. All eleven of them, jumping inside through the window, bursting through the doors, or flying through the collapsed staircase, forming in each corner of the room. Penny landed beside her, then hardened her glare at Jaune.

He pointed his sword at them. “It’s over.” He growled.

“Not yet.” Penny answered. Pyrrha nodded at her, and Penny transformed her Grave Dust Swords into a barrier around Pyrrha, and her eyes shone bright green. Her core went critical, and she unleashed a defiant roar, throwing her arms back. Jaune’s purple eyes widened, and the entire room exploded as Penny detonated the Ultimate Weapon.

A blinding green ball of energy erupted out of her, completely destroying Arcadia and incinerating all the plantlife within the blast range, wiping out the town and the history behind the place. As the blinding light faded and the building collapsed, Penny’s Grave Dust barrier crumbled and Pyrrha fell.

But Penny still had enough power left before collapsing to fly after Pyrrha, catch her, and fly off as fast as she could.

Jaune crashed to the bottom as the building crumbled around him, and the two escaped. Jaune stood tall, ash falling from his armour, scorch marks healing immediately, and all the Praetorians stood tall, very damaged and wounded by Penny’s attack… but still alive. He stood with the remaining Eleven of Thaddeus’ Thirteen Knights and held the Relic of Creation in his hand.

He snarled and went to follow the trail where Penny was flying off to the lighthouse where Cinder took Ruby. “Well done… my Knight.” Salem spoke through one of the Praetorian Knights.

“I have not completed my mission. They still have the Relic of Knowledge… I have failed, my Queen.” He lowered his head in defeat.

“Incorrect, my Knight… you have acquired the Relic, which has remained hidden from me for nearly a century. But now you must return.” She commanded.

“What of Knowledge?” He asked, turning to the Praetorian Knight she was speaking through.

“Worry not… they will come to us.” She assured, and she sounded like she was grinning.

Jaune turned towards the open portal, and walked with his Praetorians, returning to Evernight.

Penny continued to fly across the sea, and only just lost altitude as she reached the Lighthouse. She slowed down and lowered Pyrrha to the floor before collapsing. She was not offline though, just needed some time to recover. “Nice work, Penny…” Pyrrha chuckled, gently caressing the back of her head.

Cinder burst through the door with a shocked expression. “By the gods, I thought you did that. Is… is he…” Cinder asked.

Pyrrha shook her head. “No… he can’t be killed… he’s like Salem now…” she answered.

“Fuck.” Cinder sighed, pushing one hand through her hair.

“R-Ruby… is she…” Penny weakly stammered. Pyrrha helped her up, and they walked inside to see that Cinder had made a bandage with some ice to her head.

“She’s alive. Just needs some time to heal… Jaune really gave her one hell of a beating.” Cinder said, and Penny immediately sat beside her, cradling her hand, gently stroking Ruby’s cheek. Cinder then turned to Pyrrha.

“Look… I’m sorry I…”

“No… I’m sorry. I… I still haven’t wrapped my head around what Salem has done, but… that isn’t him… or if it is… we need to get Thaddeus out of him.” Pyrrha explained.

“I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought his eyes looked familiar.” Cinder replied. “But he has Creation, doesn’t he?”

“Yes… he was the one stalking us… waiting for me to open it. Or just to find it.” Pyrrha sighed. “Damn it… we nearly lost both the Relics…”

“She’s not gonna stop until she has Jinn now…”

Suddenly they felt their scrolls all vibrate, including Ruby’s in her pocket. They all pulled the scrolls out, and their eyes widened.

It was the Emergency Broadcast System.

The same one everyone around the world was seeing. “What the hell is going on? They never activate this…” Cinder questioned. Pyrrha turned and projected the screen into the air, and Penny looked up at it with shock in her eyes.

They saw… all the Kingdoms…

They were being locked down. Black Gallows were trapping people in their homes, not letting anybody leave the cities. One by one, the cities were becoming giant prisons for everyone inside. “What the hell is happening?” Pyrrha questioned.

Suddenly the footage of the Kingdoms hard cut to a feed of… Killian.

He stared at the camera, appearing to be somewhere in the desert with the Gyrfalcon landed behind him. He held his hands behind his back… and they saw the signs of his fight against Dutch and Robyn, bruised and cut up. But worst of all… he looked sick and tired… and terrifyingly insane now.

“I have always sworn myself to my duty to protect the people of Remnant from every single threat in existence. At first I believed Salem was that threat… but in time I realised she was right.” Killian explained. Pyrrha clenched her hand into a fist with anger at him. “Our world is so close to being saved, but there are four individuals stopping us from completing our work. Cinder Fall. Pyrrha Nikos. Penny Polendina. And Ruby Rose.” Killian said, and Cinder gritted her teeth.

He stared at them and sighed. “Team Copper… I am now speaking directly to you. I understand you believe that what you are doing is right, but your actions are going to doom the people of this world. So I am going to give you a choice – you can either deliver the Relic of Knowledge to Salem and do your sworn duty as Huntresses and save the people of Remnant – Or… you can all watch as I burn the Kingdoms to ash.”

Pyrrha felt the entire world gasp when he said that. In Vacuo, Eryka scowled whilst everyone gasped at hearing the threat. She looked at Winter and Dutch, who knew that now… more than every… they had to stop Killian.

He had to die now, not just for revenge.

He was too dangerous now.

And in Menagerie, Nora covered her mouth in shock at hearing this, eyes wide, whilst Sienna narrowed her eyes with anger. Blake squeezed Yang’s hand, and they looked at one another.

In the Summit’s Claim, Li clenched his fist tight with anger at this threat.

“I have four bombs… one under each of the Kingdoms… with enough power to wipe them and everyone in them off the map. That’s all it will take.” Killian warned. “And if that alone will not convince you… then Cinder Fall… will you allow the only thing that brought you joy to be taken from you?” He asked.

The recording showed a live feed of Salem sat with Amber, and Salem smirked at the camera. Cinder’s eyes widened, and she gasped.

“No…” She stepped forward, glaring at the feed.

“I never wanted this… I wanted to protect Remnant… but you have forced my hand. You have one hour to respond… and I hope… you live up to the vow you swore.”

The feed went black.

This was it…

… no turning back.

Chapter 38: The Ultimatum

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

It had been a few minutes now since the Emergency Broadcast System ended, just the normal screen on her scroll. But Pyrrha, Cinder and Penny were just staring at the threat that Killian just sent out to the entire world.

Never before had they felt an entire planet panic quite like this moment.

“He’s… really lost it now…” Pyrrha gasped, slowly closing her scroll. Cinder was pacing back and forth, her hands pressed against her head.

“What do we do?” Penny stammered.

“Damn it!” Cinder yelled with fury, blasting fire from her hand into the ground, creating roaring flames. “After all that, the damn bitch was two steps ahead of us the whole goddamn time!” Cinder yelled with rage.

“He was lying, right? He can’t be serious… he’d kill everyone in all four kingdoms to make us bring Jinn to Salem? I thought he believed in protecting Remnant, not burning it.” Penny questioned whilst Pyrrha walked over to a railing and pressing her hands against it, bowing her head down as she tried to think on all of this.

In the background, Cinder and Penny continued to panic over the Ultimatum that Killian had placed in their hands, but Pyrrha felt the presence and she slowly lifted her head. Before her floated the Brothers Grimm, and they were staring her down.

“Do not give in to the threats of the cowardice of a single man.” The Brother of Light warned. She raised a brow at him.

“Killian has lied about many things, but I doubt he’s joking here… we can’t just stand by and let him burn all those innocent civilians.” Pyrrha replied to the glowing Brother.

“Forget them. Their lives are insignificant. If Salem brings the Relics together, she will be able to destroy us, and existence itself will fragment into something we can’t even imagine.” The Brother of Darkness replied, but that took her aback, and she stared at the two Brothers.

Forget about them? Their lives are insignificant? I already knew the two of you were ruthless hypocrites, but this? Don’t think I can’t see through what this really is.” Pyrrha stated, shaking her head in disgust.

“Our existence is the only thing holding the universe together… life and death would-”

“You’re afraid… a pair of cowards who would rather let millions of your own creations die to save your own skin.” Pyrrha snapped back, and they both remained silent as they stared back at her.

That’s a first…

“I will not stand by and let Killian commit genocide on a scale that the two of you are more than familiar with. Complain if you wish, but you can’t stop us from doing the right thing.” Pyrrha growled, and she turned to walk back over to Penny and Cinder who were both debating what to do even though Pyrrha had already decided.

But the Brothers were not done with her yet.

“Bravery born from the dance of ignorance and naivete.” The Brother of Light spoke up, which made her stop.

It was usually the Brother of Darkness who goaded her, not him. Yet it was Light that she distrusted the most. She saw what he did to Salem all those years ago. To Ozpin as well, he was the most untrustworthy of them both.

He floated around her, glowing almost as bright as the sun. “If you do this, and if you fail, then it will not just be Remnant which will suffer. Everything we have ever created, every world, from now to the future and in the past? Everything will be corrupted, trapped in an unending loop of suffering. Life and Death will have no meaning… everything will cease to continue.” The Brother of Light begged, but Pyrrha just walked past him, not even giving him a second glance.

“Then we won’t fail.” Pyrrha replied.

Suddenly the Brother of Darkness appeared directly in front of her, taking the form of his Dragon, slamming his massive hand down right at her feet. But this time, Pyrrha did not fall to the ground. She did not even flinch. She just stared back at the giant glowing purple dragon that roared at her face. “BE UNDER NO ILLUSION! SHE WILL DESTROY US IF SHE GET’S US! A-And… we’re afraid.” The Brother of Darkness roared, but his voice mellowed into a whimper.

Pyrrha’s expression never changed.

She just walked through the Dragon’s ethereal body, causing it to burst into black smoke, forming back into the hobbling hunched forward Brother of Darkness behind her.

She didn’t look back at them. “I know.”

The two gods watched her walk away and felt their power over her fade away, and they both disappeared. Pyrrha returned to her team. She still felt the Brothers’ presence within her soul, but they were no longer as apparent.

“If we go there, we will lose everything we’ve fought for…” Penny said as she paced back and forth, chewing at her nails.

“SHE HAS AMBER! I… I can’t lose her… she’ll burn the entire world down and I will lose my daughter as well.” Cinder stammered, but Pyrrha spoke up.

“We’re going to face Salem. We have to… we’re Huntresses, it’s what we do.” Pyrrha said, and Cinder stared at her.

“Pyrrha… I agree with you… but you know what will happen if we fail. We don’t even know what reinforcements are even coming to help us? If anyone is coming. We can’t defeat Salem on our own.” Penny explained, then she turned to see Ruby stumbling through the doorway, wiping the blood from her nose. She was still battered and bruised, but had regained consciousness despite it all.

Penny gasped and ran to her, immediately wrapping her arms around her girlfriend, lovingly kissing her a few moments after. Pyrrha smiled to see Ruby standing up once again, but Cinder was too afraid for Amber’s safety to smile right now, but inside she was aloof, like the others.

“W-What happened?” Ruby groaned. “Where’s the Relic? J-Jaune?”

Pyrrha approached Ruby, and they helped her walk outside into the sunlight, and they showed her the Relic inside the room she was just resting in. “We lost the Relic of Creation, but saved her. But… Salem and Killian had already prepared for that eventuality.” Pyrrha explained.

“What do you mean?” Ruby winced, touching the side of her head, which was still throbbing after the brutal beating she endured. Then she saw what remained of Arcadia. Her silver eyes widened, and she turned to Penny immediately, knowing for certain it was her.

Penny nodded. “I could control it this time… it didn’t kill Jaune… I don’t know how… but he survived it, so did the other Praetorian Knights.” Penny confirmed.

Ruby held her hand and turned to Pyrrha. “What… did they do?”

“Killian released a live threat across the entire planet. Everyone saw it… he threatened us – as in the four of us here now – that if we don’t bring Jinn to Salem, if we don’t respond to Killian’s threat in the next hour… he will destroy all the Kingdoms.” Pyrrha explained to her.

Ruby’s eyes widened with horror.

“He’s really gone that far, hasn’t he?” She sounded mortified by this. “H-How? How is he even able to…”

“There are bombs buried underneath the Kingdoms… he flat out admitted it live.” Penny answered.

“Powerful enough to destroy them all at the press of a button.” Pyrrha clarified. “And… not only that…” She looked at Cinder, who was pacing back and forth. Ruby still felt great concern for Cinder’s health. She knew something was going on with her. “Salem has captured Amber… and now her life is in danger.”

Ruby stood as tall as she could. Time would help heal her wounds from Jaune, but she was strong enough to stand on her own now.

“Then we do it…” Ruby said, and Pyrrha smiled, nodding her head in agreement. Penny smiled as well, and she nodded her head.

They all turned to Cinder, who had her arms crossed. “Yeah! Now come on… we can’t waste time.” Cinder said as she stormed off, but they all heard her voice was hoarse.

“Cinder?” Pyrrha called, but Ruby walked forward, and suddenly shot forward in a flurry of Rose Petals. Penny reached out, but Ruby appeared in front of the Fall Maiden, stumbling a little.

“You… good?” She asked her.

Cinder didn’t stop, but Ruby saw her face was looking pale. She shoved past Ruby without even looking at her. “Never better.”

Ruby watched her walk towards the woods, and fireflies surrounded them as they followed her into the forest. “Yep… definitely not good…” Ruby whispered. Cinder created a powerful blast of wind that parted the trees so she could get moving. “Cinder, wait, let’s just figure this–”

“WHY? SO SALEM CAN FILL MY DAUGHTER’S HEAD WITH MORE LIES?” She yelled.

“No… Cinder, I’m not saying that…”

“THEN WHAT ARE WE DOING, RUBY?”

“We’re figuring it out, okay? Let’s just breathe. We just need to respond with our scrolls. That’s all we need to do.” Ruby explained.

“Every second we waste… we don’t have time to… breathe…” Cinder sounded like she had been running a marathon from the way she was panting between breaths.

“Look, I know you’re scared Salem’s gonna kill Amber but-”

“THAT’S NOT WHAT SCARES ME, RUBY!” Cinder yelled. Her voice sounded more fragile by the second. “I know Salem… I know her better than most people do… she raised me after I slaughtered my family… and I know how she twists people. Especially children… and she’s good at it… even my little Amber… I… I know she’s doing this to lure me back. She wouldn’t have needed to threaten Remnant to do it. All she needed was her. I know it’s a trap… but I can’t let her do what she did to me, to Amber.” Cinder explained.

Penny and Pyrrha both caught up to Ruby and Cinder and listened to what she was talking about. “I can’t, Ruby… I can’t just… let her do this again…”

Ruby cushioned her shoulder. “It won’t. We won’t give her the chance, okay?”

“I’ve failed so many people in my life… Emerald, Mercury… the Branwen Tribe… even Salem in a way… but I can’t fail her. Because I know she will be… just another monster like me if we fail.”

Cinder looked at Pyrrha and then at Penny. “Just another vengeful, hateful monster with a desire for power, a desire Salem fed into me. And the only thing that changed me was Amber… a girl named after the very woman I murdered for this… power.” Cinder sighed, forming a flame in her palm. Then she scoffed, shaking her head. “Power…”

She looked up and saw only in her head the form of Jinn, who was floating in the air behind them. She softly smiled at her and nodded her head.

Tell them… they should know…

She opened her mouth to speak, but no words came out… she just felt her throat burn and she gasped for air. “Cinder?” Pyrrha’s eyes widened.

“Yeah… n-nothing’s…” She couldn’t lie to them anymore, as a full attack throttled her. She felt liquid trickle from her only eye, and she reached up to it, touching the claret, knowing it was coming.

“Are you okay?” Penny stammered, shocked to see her eye bleeding like that.

Her eyes bled more and more, followed with the weight of the world crashing down on her shoulders, dizzying her and nearly knocking her out, and then she dropped to one knee, coughing a spluttering blood.

“Oh gods! Help her down…” Ruby cried out. The three of them supported Cinder as she had yet another attack. It felt like her lungs were on fire, and she staggered towards a rock that overlooked the beautiful ocean as the sun started to rise. She wheezed, coughing more, but the pain faded, but the red mist around her eye remained, and bruising formed around her eye as well.

They all felt immense panic and concern for her health, and they stayed close to her, Pyrrha on her left, Penny to the right and Ruby in front of her. “What’s wrong?” Penny asked.

Cinder spoke through her raspy throat. “I uh… I’m dying girls.” She finally confessed, and their hearts sunk at the news.

“W-What?” Pyrrha stammered.

“Yeah… I’ve got Noctis Putrida… I got it… the day I killed Amber and stole the Maiden Powers… and it cursed me… gave me this disease.” She then laughed about it, shaking her head as she wiped away the blood from her eye. “It’s fitting… it really is… a savage crazy woman like me dying like this… after a killed such a kind woman… all for a power that’s destined to kill me.”

Those words stuck with Pyrrha… she never forgot Cinder’s answer to her question on that tower…

… this was not the destiny that woman imagined back then.

Cinder chuckled lightly. “I’ve lived a bad life, girls.”

“We’ve all lived bad lives, Cinder… when I was a kid, I never wanted to believe I’d ever have to do bad things to survive…” Ruby said. She then turned and smiled. “But we know you… the real you.”

“No… no you don’t…” Cinder sighed.

Penny shook her head, gently holding Cinder’s. “Forgive me, Cinder… but that right there is exactly your problem! You don’t know who you are.” Penny said, and Cinder looked at the Android with a raised eyebrow.

“What… do you mean?” She asked, coughing in between.

“In the time we’ve been travelling together? Yes, we’ve seen your bad sides, but you never shied away from what we’re doing. Or why we’re doing it. And whenever you think of Amber… all I see on your face is a smile. You’re not a monster… we’ve seen monsters. And that’s not what I see you as.” Penny explained.

Cinder smiled, and she stared out at the ocean as Seagulls rode the wind. “That night? After you froze the Wyvern on top of the tower?” Cinder said to Ruby, looking at her and Pyrrha. “When I rolled off that tower… I did it to die. I knew Salem would have either killed me or punished me in a way that I’d beg for it anyway if I returned. And all that went through my head was this one question: Was it worth it? Killing my family who tormented me every day, only to be adopted by another mother who did the same? Killing my way to become that woman? Stealing a power that shouldn’t have been mine? Trying to murder a beautiful young woman with an amazing life ahead of her?”

Pyrrha looked at Cinder with surprise. There was a time where Pyrrha wanted to kill Cinder for what happened between them on that tower. “And then Raven saved me… I thought I was gonna end up in yet another prison like before. But… she just expected one thing of me… to not make her regret saving my life.” Cinder explained, closing her eye and wiping the rest of the blood away. “Ever since that day, I have been fighting so hard to make her proud. She gave me a new chance… and thanks to her, I met Amber… I met Vernal and Oscar… despite everything she did… she made me better.” Cinder explained.

Ruby nodded her head. “I was… so angry with her… and my Uncle… when we found out what they did to my mom… but I don’t know what I feel for them anymore. I know they never wanted to do it… Valravn gave them no choice…” She then reached into her bag and held Qrow’s letter, that was still sealed in her hand.

“We’ve… all forgiven someone at some point, haven’t we?” Pyrrha chuckled, looking at Cinder, and Penny looked at Pyrrha.

Cinder sighed, shaking her head. “But… despite how far I’ve come… I’m still suffering for my mistakes. There are some sins… that just can’t be forgiven. It’s like the world just exists to… punish me… like this is the last joke in a long line of cruel jokes and ironies.”

Pyrrha looked distantly, nodding her head. “I know what you mean… when I lost Jaune… it felt like such a cruel joke. Why did he die, and I get brought back? Life is full of pain… but there is also love and beauty.” Pyrrha said with a kind smile. Cinder sighed, staring ahead.

“What am I gonna do now? I can feel… my body eroding from this. Every single attack is making me weaker and they’re happening more and more. Soon… I won’t even be able to stand up…” Cinder shrugged, slapping her arms against her knees.

“You’re not gone yet, Cinder. You still have time to do great things.” Ruby said with a smile.

“Sure…” Cinder chuckled.

“See all of this… as a sign, Cinder. To try. Try to do the good thing.” Penny sweetly and supportively said.

She sighed. “But… I still don’t believe in anything…”

“You have Amber, don’t you? She’s not gone yet, Cinder. Do you believe in her?” Pyrrha asked her.

“With everything I am.” Cinder answered.

“Then take whatever faith you need… and find it in her. Sometimes… that’s all we need to keep going.” Pyrrha said.

Cinder chuckled, slapping her knee as she looked at the three of them. “You girls are really something, y’know that?” They smiled and chuckled with her. Then Cinder sighed. “I guess I…”

She looked at them with tears welling in her eye. “I’m afraid…”

The words cut deep. To hear Cinder sound so vulnerable, finally admitting that she was afraid to die? And yet despite that fear, still willing to fight Salem to protect the only family she has left? There was nothing more inspiring but also heart-wrenching than that.

Ruby held her hand.

“There is nothing to be afraid of, Cinder. You’re not alone, and we will be by your side to the end. No matter how this plays out. We’re a team. And we look out for each other.” Ruby promised, which made Cinder smile back at her.

Cinder pressed one hand against the rock and forced herself back onto her feet, and they all stood with her. “Okay…” Cinder agreed.

Ruby pulled her scroll from her pocket and she found the message from Killian, waiting for their response. They all nodded, prepared to do this.

They knew the risks…

… but this was it.

No going back.

Ruby hit the button.

 

Blake

 

They all lowered their scrolls the moment that the Emergency Broadcast System shut down, and they were left with that chill in their bones.

Like they had been out in the cold for hours on end, and it was not leaving them. Blake closed her scroll and put it away whilst Sienna walked around the area, thinking about the threat Killian had just sent out. “He’s bluffing, right? He wouldn’t do that…” Ilia stammered with terror in her eyes.

“No… I don’t think so. He looked like he was dead serious.” Yang answered.

“All those people… he’d reset our entire civilisation for Salem…” Ren couldn’t even fathom someone doing such a thing.

“Do you think they’ll do it? Bring the Relic of Knowledge to Salem?” Sienna asked them curiously.

“Ruby would never hide when lives are on the line… she’d face Salem down herself.” Weiss stated, knowing who Ruby Rose was. She was never the kind to back down from a challenge, and that was exactly what Killian and Salem had laid down before her.

One hell of a challenge.

“She’s done it before.” Yang remembered.

“We have to help them… they won’t stand a chance against Salem on their own.” Weiss said, her nerves firing off.

“We haven’t got an army, kid. And with the window that Killian just gave them, we don’t have time. We can’t even get from here to the Sanctum within an hour. We’re dead in the water.” Sienna explained.

“Damn it!” Ilia yelled with anger. “We finally get you on board and the son of a bitch pulls this?”

“Weiss is right, we can’t let them die alone there. They can’t beat Salem, and everyone and everything else she has at her disposal, we have to try.” Blake agreed.

“But we have no reinforcements!” Sienna argued.

“No… but the entire world saw that message. You can feel the dread in the air now. Everyone in every kingdom is panicking now that they know they could all be blown to pieces in the next hour.” Blake explained, walking around as she came up with a plan. “So we’ll send out a message of our own… across the entire planet. I know the Kingdoms are locked down by Black Gallows, but there are other places. Here in Menagerie, in Argus? And even then, people are going to fight back against the Black Gallows. It may already be happening as we speak.”

“That’s a whole lot of maybes.” Sienna pointed out.

“That’s never stopped us before, Sienna.” Yang defended, standing beside Blake. “And Ruby? Pyrrha, Penny and Cinder? They’re tough. They’ll keep Salem busy long enough for us to get there.”

“And in that time, we send our own message out. With you with us and we let the Faunus out there know there is a chance? They will fight, they will join us. When you have a knife to your throat, you have a choice. To either try to fight back or let them kill you. I know what I’d choose to do in that scenario.” Blake explained.

“Where would we even be able to broadcast a message like that? We can’t just do it right here with our scrolls.” Nora shrugged.

Sienna’s eyes widened. “Our old Headquarters here in Menagerie…” she realised.

Oscar walked over to her. “I thought the White Fang never operated out of Menagerie?”

“We didn’t, not officially. But our broadcasts always came from here, and sensitive meetings were here, in a secret base near the town.” Sienna explained. “We stopped using it, though, after Ghira left the White Fang. It became too predictable a place for our enemies to find us, so we moved to Mistral instead, right underneath their noses.”

“Clever.” Yang chuckled.

“It was, for a time at least.” Sienna said. “Until Adam ruined that.”

“You remember where this place is?” Oscar asked Sienna.

“I do, but to keep the place secured, we double locked the doors with our handprints. My hand… and Ghira’s… we’re gonna need his help if we’re going in there.” Sienna explained. They all turned to Blake, and she nodded her head.

“He’ll help us.” Blake promised.

“What about this jerk?” Yang asked, gesturing to the tied up White Fang Lieutenant.

“Leave him here, let the Menagerie Police come out here and grab him. He’s not going anywhere.” Sienna shrugged, and they all walked away, towards their Gravity Bikes.

It took them some time to make their way across the Desert of Menagerie, but they returned to civilisation soon. The urgency of Killian’s threat made them move even faster than before. The Bikes drifted to a stop when they arrived at the gates of the town, then they ran inside, hearing the people panicking inside.

“Gods…” Blake stammered, but then they heard the roars. The Grimm were clawing at the walls, and every now and then they heard a gunshot when the Police were culling the beasts trying to get inside and feast on the panicking people inside. They ran across the path and turned to see the big manor in the centre of the town, but people were not just afraid.

They could feel the anger.

“Calm the hell down!” They heard a Feral One yell, but they were being surrounded by a furious mob.

“You see what your precious Queen is gonna do? What that Black Gallows Bastard will do? They’re gonna kill millions of innocent people! When are you gonna accept they don’t give a damn about you?” The crowd of furious Faunus roared.

When they were last here, the people were afraid of the Feral Ones, but now the tables had turned. One of the Feral Ones pulled his gun on one rioter, but they suddenly swamped the loyalists to the Grimm Queen. Fist fights and more vicious clashes broke out in the streets against the Feral Ones.

Their hold over Menagerie was falling apart.

And it made Sienna smile.

“Good… tear them apart.” Sienna softly said with a grin. Then they kept on moving, avoiding the fighting in the streets. Even the Police were fighting back against the Feral Ones now, instead of just taking orders from them out of fear. As they ran closer to the Manor, a Feral One stumbled round the house and stared at them. He gritted his teeth and hissed with a long serpentine tongue slithering out.

“Belladonna!” He yelled, and he aimed his gun at her, only for a gang of Faunus to suddenly tackle him to the ground. They beat the hell out of the man together, punching and kicking him, pushing the gun away as they punished him like the rest of the Feral Ones.

“This Island doesn’t belong to you anymore!” The men and women roared.

They ran past them and approached the steps towards their house, finding two Feral Ones banging on the doors. “Open up, Chieftain! You need to stop this uprising! Stop this now!” The Feral One yelled.

The door opened, and revealed Kali, aiming her pistol at the man’s head and firing, blowing his brains out. The other jolted before being shot in the head as well. She lowered her gun with a scowl as their corpses tumbled down the steps at the feet of Blake. Kali gasped when she saw her, relieved that her daughter was okay. Blake ran to her mother and wrapped her arms around her.

“We all saw Killian’s threat… I don’t think the Feral Ones were expecting our reaction to be like this… it must be like this everywhere now…” Kali explained. She then looked past her daughter and saw Sienna walking up the steps. “Sienna… so you found her? I really thought you were dead by now.”

“Don’t sound too disappointed.” Sienna chuckled, which made Kali smile. She walked down to Sienna and embraced her.

“It’s good to see you again, old friend.” Kali whispered into her ear.

“You too.”

“Kali?” Ghira’s worried voice called. He ran round the corner and down the entryway, only to see her perfectly fine with her gun still smoking. She looked back at him, with Blake and Sienna beside her.

“I’ve been wanting to shoot some Feral Ones for a long time now.” She shrugged.

“And you thought I was ruthless.” Sienna chuckled. Ghira smiled when he saw Sienna.

“You saw Killian’s message, right?” Ghira asked them.

“We did… looks like the people of Menagerie have had enough of what the Feral Ones have been doing?” Yang assumed.

“Something like that.” He admitted. They all walked inside of his house. “It’s… a strange feeling to let these riots happen. But in a good way, the Feral Ones don’t stand a chance. I haven’t seen our people this united since… well… since the White Fang was formed in the first place.”

“Why would Salem do this? I know she’s capable of it… but… I thought she was smarter? I thought she knew this sort of thing would destroy her rule?” Kali questioned.

“I don’t think it matters to her anymore. She and Killian threatened Ruby and her team to bring the Relic of Knowledge to her… she would only make a threat like that if she now had Creation. And if she gets all four… well… I don’t think any of this will matter. She’ll win.” Blake explained to them, and the idea that Salem having four relics was more terrifying than destroying the four kingdoms with giant bombs?

It was a constant reminder of how things can always be worse so long as Salem was alive…

Blake turned to her father. “We need to send out a broadcast of our own… we don’t have time to amass an entire army of White Fang anymore. Killian has changed things. And Ruby will take Jinn to Salem. She won’t stand by and let them kill millions. But we need to give her some backup.” Blake explained.

“Well, if anyone was afraid of fighting before, that definitely changes now. A broadcast will bring everyone together.” Ghira explained.

“We know how to send it out as well.. and we need your help to do it, Ghira…” Sienna explained. “Our old Headquarters, the underground one? On the outskirts?”

“Yeah, I remember… you need my handprint to open it as well… and I’ll do it.” He instantly agreed. “And… if you’ll have me… I would like to be beside Sienna when we release the broadcast.”

“I thought… you didn’t want any part in the White Fang anymore?” Yang asked him.

“I didn’t – not at first. But seeing what the Feral Ones have done? They were nothing more than a splinter group of extremists who served a mad man once. Now they’re massive and have unlimited funding, thanks to Salem. I want to see them burn for how they have tarnished our name.” Ghira growled, clenching his fists.

Sienna turned to Blake. “This will be even better than just me… a lot of Faunus abandoned the White Fang after Ghira stepped down. Fearing I wasn’t right to lead them or not agreeing with my methods. Seeing the two of us working together again will give us the best of both…” Sienna explained.

“You’re right.” Blake agreed.

“There’s… also another thing… on the ride here I was thinking about it. There’s one more person I think we need for this broadcast.” Sienna explained.

“Who?” Blake asked, and Sienna just looked at her and smiled. She then pressed her hand on Blake’s shoulder.

“You.” Sienna answered.

Blake gasped, her ears perking up. “M-Me?”

“Without a doubt. The daughter of Ghira Belladonna, who was tormented by Adam Taurus and blinded by him? Lost the man she loved to him? Had to go into hiding with her blindness for six years? And despite everything that brave woman has suffered – here she stands, fighting back against Adam, the Feral Ones, and Salem alike? What could possibly boost morale more than the hero that you are?” Sienna asked her, and she sat there, blushing at the kind words said, but also understanding how much it would help for propaganda’s sake.

Then… she felt Yang’s hand cradle hers. “You can do it.”

Yang smiled back and tightened her grip. “Okay… the three of us… we’ll do it…”

They all smiled, ready to do this.

Then Ghira pointed at Yang, holding Blake’s hand. “How long has this been a thing for?”

“Uh… what’s the time?” Yang asked.

“Five in the morning?” Kali answered.

“Yeah, about five hours, I guess.” Yang shrugged.

 

Eryka

 

Whilst the Vasillias Cartel prepared for war against Salem…

… Winter looked over their weapons on the table. For her, Eryka and Dutch – alongside Dulcis stood on the bench next to her. They had a map of the Vacuo Desert drawn roughly, with the current location that Killian’s tracker was saying he was. She sighed, wiping the sweat from her brow. Now it was daytime in the desert. The heat was back with a vengeance. “We’ve only got the three of us and an Eagle with an attitude…” Winter said, which got a harsh squeak from Dulcis. “… and Killian’s got a small army, most likely. And we don’t even know if the tracker has been tampered with since he got away.”

Eryka was sitting on a crate, sharpening Slice ‘N Dice with Winter’s whetstone. Now that she had made all her arrows for Constantine Damascus, the blade was the only thing left. Winter looked up at Dutch, who was looking at the desert, and he exhaled. “Dutch?”

“I’m just thinking about something Killian once said to me… it’s ironic that this comes to my mind on the day we’re going to kill him.” Dutch said.

Winter walked over to Eryka with Dulcis comfortably on her shoulder, and they sat together. They listened to what Dutch had to say.

“A healthy human mind doesn’t wake up in the morning thinking this is their last day on Remnant… very few understand the luxury of such a feeling.” He quoted, which made him chuckle. “It’s funny… I never really understood what he meant by that until now.”

He turned and walked around the table as he spoke. “There is no feeling quite so freeing as seeing the finish line… after you have come so far, there it is. You will give it your all for that one last push to cross that line. What we will do today is no different… no matter the outcome.” Dutch spoke.

“Outnumbered, outgunned, out of our minds on a suicide mission. We all know that there is an even higher chance of us dying and failing today, that our efforts may be forgotten and buried in the dunes. But no matter what… the sand and rocks here stained with a thousand years of warfare… they will remember us… for this.” Dutch explained with a smile on his face, tapping the table.

“Because, out of all our vast array of nightmares, this is the one that we choose for ourselves, we go forward like a breath exhaled from the Gods. With vigour in our hearts and only one goal in sight…”

“… we… will… kill him.”

Eryka and Winter nodded their heads in agreement.

“So… are we ready? Ready to cross the finish line?” Dutch asked them.

Winter and Eryka both stood tall.

“Yeah… this has been a long time coming.”

Dutch smiled, picking up his rifle.

“Good – now let’s kill the son of a bitch.”

 

For the Record…

 

A tearful Saphron tucked Adrien to sleep. He had a hard night, and he could finally go to sleep.

But losing the love of her life was still fresh. She walked away and down the hall to get something to drink… but she stopped when she looked into the armoury where Eryka, Winter and Dutch just were.

And now they were gone, with only Winter’s scroll left behind.

She approached it and saw the title of the file on show.

For the Record

Saphron hit the play button and listened to what Winter had left behind, in case they don’t make it back.

“This is for the record.

History… we all believe it to be the truth, but it is filled with more lies and omissions than anything else we read.

And if we fail… the same will happen here…

If Killian lives, and we die, his truth becomes written, and ours is lost.

Salem, Killian, and all the other Children of Salem will become heroes to the next generation. Remembered as the people who removed the scourge of us… the real heroes who tried to stop them.

Because all you need to change the world is one good lie and a river of blood. Salem did it already, and they will do it again. But this time there will be nobody left to challenge her truth.

Killian will finally get the world he has always wanted – a world without Huntsmen or Huntresses – a world with a peace forced on, and not chosen.

Killian’s truth will be THE truth.

But only if he lives.

And we die…”

Chapter 39: For the Record...

Chapter Text

Eryka

 

“Sandstorm’s not going anywhere for a while…” A Raven Talon sighed, leant against one of the sandstone rocks with his rifle in hand. Next to him was an Onyx Consul, Sniper Rifle resting against the rock as well.

“Hopefully, it passes soon. We can’t get any of our airships up to the Dreadnaught.” The Onyx Consul grumbled.

Unaware of their left, Eryka, Winter and Dutch were laid in the sand, with an active camouflage cloak covering their bodies, making them completely invisible. Luckily, the Vasillias Cartel had more than enough equipment to spare, and Lavinia was no fool. She knew Killian had to die.

He had the power to destroy everything. They had to cut out the possibility of him doing it, anyway.

Eryka waited for them to move, but kept Constantine Damascus close, especially when three more Black Gallows soldiers walked over to the two they had their eyes on. “Hey you two, keep your eyes peeled. We’re hardly the most inconspicuous lookers out here, so make sure nobody is sneaking up on us.” The soldier commanded.

“Roger.” The Raven Talon agreed. The Onyx Consul grabbed his Sniper Rifle and swiftly clambered up one of the tall rock formations, resting the rifle over his other forearm, scanning the terrain. But thanks to the sandstorm, their technology was not exactly reliable right now.

Eryka glanced at her scroll, which showed the charge left on their cloaks, and they were about to run out. She gestured to them through the cloak, telling them to move. Dutch and Winter slowly removed their cloaks and quickly got to cover, using the sandstorm to their advantage. With five soldiers to worry about, they had to eliminate them quietly. Eryka removed her cloak and rushed into the tall desert, keeping her head low and hood over her blue hair. She clung to her bow, watching as the three soldiers walked around.

“Is the Commander alright? I mean… he was bluffing, right? He’s not actually gonna do it?” A soldier asked.

“I… I don’t know. He doesn’t exactly seem well, seen the state of him?” Another agreed.

“Doesn’t matter, it’s the boss’s orders. It’s our job to do them.” A more loyal soldier responded. Dulcis called out, flying through the sandstorm, disappearing like a ghost. Flying in these winds wasn’t exactly glamorous for him, but it definitely gave him the advantage. Eryka’s eyes glowed as she activated her connection with her Altum Eagle, and she could see what he saw.

The compound here was large, wrapping around a ravine where the only river in all of Vacuo was left. And they couldn’t see it thanks to the cover of the sandstorm, but nearby was the Shadow of Broken Promises.

They were trying to get Killian out of here, but thanks to the storm, it was greatly impeding their progress.

As the soldier approached the tall grass, Eryka drew Constantine Damascus and fired an arrow into his throat. The soldier gasped, then choked on his own blood before collapsing. Eryka swiftly pulled him down into the grass and quickly broke his neck to make sure he couldn’t alert the others. Winter across the sand from her slowly drew her blade and suddenly reached over, grabbing the soldier when Dutch gave her the signal when all the soldiers were looking away. She dragged him over and as he fell; she rammed her blade down into his heart, twisting the sword to kill him fast.

Dutch quickly moved, holding his suppressed pistol in one hand and a knife in the other. He backed up against the formation that Onyx Consul was above and stared at one of the nearby soldiers. He knew that taking the shot now would alert the Consul, so he turned to Eryka and pointed up to where he was, keeping the gun aimed at the soldier nearby. Eryka drew her bow and waited for him to give the signal.

He counted down from three, then they both fired at once. The soldier collapsed, but he immediately grabbed the collapsing Raven Talon Trooper, dragging him round the formation. The Consul dropped from above with an arrow lodged in the visor, but just before his body could crash against the floor, Winter conjured a glyph to stop his descent from being too loud.

With only one soldier left, he looked around with confusion, and he was about to radio them, but Winter vaulted over and she stabbed him through the chest faster than he could react, gliding across her glyphs. She held him there and tossed him aside and onto the sand. She flicked her wrist, easily throwing the blood from her blade.

“Nicely done. Now come on, let’s get moving. And hope Killian hasn’t found that tracer yet. Robyn must have stuck it somewhere he’d never check.” Dutch commented. They followed him down the slope, keeping their heads down.

“Assuming he doesn’t just want us to face him. He has a bone to pick with all of us, just as we have one for him.” Eryka explained.

“Always a possibility… but it doesn’t matter. We know what we’ve come here to do. And we will do it.” Dutch said. He sprinted with them behind him down the sloping path. He slid down and aimed his rifle down the next path, but luckily, there was nobody there. The Sandstorm howled endlessly around them, and thankfully that was giving them the element of surprise.

Winter moved forward with Eryka, and they saw two more Black Gallows soldiers on patrol. They turned when they saw the two of them sprinting towards them, and Eryka immediately loosed an arrow through the skull of the one on the left, whilst Winter blasted off a glyph and rammed her sword through the heart of the next, dragging him across the floor. They ran even faster, knowing that this storm would not hang around forever.

“How long will Lavinia be able to keep this up?” Dutch asked.

“She said it will stop for maybe half an hour, at most. Then she can form another one. So let’s make sure we can get him before that happens.” Eryka explained, keeping her bow close. She followed the path but stopped, gasping as she nearly walked off the edge. That would have been a long and fatal drop too. Winter pulled her away just to be safe.

Dutch whistled, showing them the cables of a lift, ones they could use to slide down a deeper into the ravine. He grabbed onto one and descended. Both of his friends followed him down the line. They jumped off the cables before reaching the bottom, rolling onto one of the natural outcrops. Down below were a lot more soldiers, far too many for them to even risk taking out.

Including Paladins and Ebony Sabres.

The huge mechanised troopers walked around, helping lift heavy cargo and carry them into the large transports. Winter scanned the area of what she could see through the cloud of sand, noticing the amount of explosives. “By the gods… that’s a lot of explosives.”

“Those are military grade. What the hell are they doing?” Eryka stammered.

“That bastard… there are no bombs under Argus or Menagerie. He’ll burn them as well with those. It’ll be more than enough. He really means to make sure there is nothing left.” Dutch sounded horrified at this realisation.

“I thought they were sparing Argus and Menagerie? To make sure they can rebuild?” Winter questioned.

“I think Salem wants to cut off all loose ends.” Dutch answered.

“Damn… well, now we have even more reason to stop him.” Winter sighed.

“But where are they getting these resources? I know the Black Gallows have unlimited funding and shitloads of firepower… but how did they find all this so fast?” Eryka asked.

“I told you, this place is a hidden Black Gallows facility. This place would have more than enough munitions. I never knew they were storing explosives like this, though…” Dutch stammered.

“How many other facilities are like this?” Winter asked.

“Probably a lot more than Killian told me. Thinking he never fully trusted me after all. Heh… so much for second in command and all that bullshit.” Dutch growled.

“We have to stop this. Any of these make it out of here and more people will die.” Eryka said, drawing her bow with an explosive arrow, but Dutch stopped her.

“Wait, blowing them up now will kill us, too. I agree with you, but we can use this to our advantage. They don’t know we’re here yet, so we can use this as a distraction. The explosion will severely damage the entire facility, maybe even be so bad it will demolish it.” Dutch explained. He reached into his back and pulled out a remote detonated explosive. “Here… I brought some of these just in case we needed to blow a hole somewhere. It will definitely do the trick. Stick it somewhere inside those crates where the soldiers can’t spot them, and click the green button. It will synch up with my detonator.” Dutch whispered to her.

Eryka nodded. “And to think I once hated you specialist types. Never thought this kind of stuff would be so fun.”

Winter smirked with a small blush, then Eryka took the bomb and silently dropped and into the bushes. She watched the Paladins as they used their powerful mechanised arms to lift the crates and carry them across the sandstone path to the landed airships. Soldiers had glow sticks to help guide the walking tanks in the sandstorm.

There were a lot of them, including Trojan Droids, which were marching back and forth, armed to the teeth. Eryka waited for a lull in the crowd of soldiers and she approached one of the crates and she reached in between the bombs and missiles stacked carefully inside. She stuck it onto the missile and clicked the green button. The light blinked a couple times before beeping and staying a constant green.

Eryka looked up at Dutch, who fired his zipline from his bracer down slowly, and Eryka waited for Winter to give her the signal. The Paladin approached and lifted the crate. She just placed the bomb inside, not even realising it was in there, approaching the Airship. Winter gave her a thumbs up, then she grabbed onto the zipline. Dutch retracted it, pulling the Falconess all the way up.

Eryka clambered back up onto the outcrop they were on, and Dulcis landed with them. “Alright… hopefully that will be a good distraction.”

“Oh, it’ll be more than that.” Dutch assured, he turned, and they stayed low, moving across the outcrop towards another drop into some more grass, but it was thinner. They jumped down and took cover behind some more crates of ammunition or other supplies.

“Keep it moving! We need all this equipment loaded up so we can get the hell out of here the second this storm clears!” One of the Ebony Sabres commanded. Dutch scanned the area through his helmet. The X-Shaped visor shone bright red as he examined the path. Linked up to his scroll, he searched for where Robyn’s tracer was, and he stopped.

“There…” Dutch pointed, noticing the building, mostly hidden by the storm. It was part of the subterranean Black Gallows Vault. “Killian’s in that building. Looks like an operations room.”

“Is it far enough away from the bombs for us to survive the blast?” Winter asked.

“Well… if we’re not, at least we know it will take Killian down with us.” Dutch shrugged.

“That’s a morbidly encouraging thought.” Eryka scoffed. They waited for a moment to pass. Whilst they waited, a Black Gallows Wasp Gunship hovered across the river. The downdraft from its thrusters sprayed water in all directions and rocked the boats on the river as well.

The soldiers looked away and the three of them moved through the bushes, but as they moved, they realised the sandstorm was weakening. “Damn, things are about to get even harder.” Eryka commented.

“We just need to reach Killian.” Winter assured. They stopped behind another sandstone rock, keeping their heads down as an Ebony Sabre walked past. The powerful mechanical bones inside the suit of armour clicked and groaned as it walked. Shadow Dagger Assassins were here as well, blades in hand, as they paced around the area, looking around as they waited for their next orders.

The second the path ahead was clear, they moved with what remained of the dying sandstorm, and crawled underneath a stationary tank. They hauled themselves through the sand, and it was freeing to get out of the heat and sand filled air. Winter and Eryka rubbed the sand from their eyes, whilst Dutch was perfectly fine thanks to his helmet. A large contingent of soldiers walked past the tank they were under, and they waited for the many soldiers to pass by.

One stood in front of where they were about to exit the underside of the tank, so when it was clear, Dutch swiftly crawled out and stood tall, snapping the unaware soldier’s neck before he could even react. The Sable Guard fell to the floor, but he rolled the body underneath the tank so nobody would notice. Then they kept low and kept creeping their way towards the next building, sticking to the shadows.

Then the howling winds of the sandstorm dissipated. The air was fresh, and the view was completely clear, but now they were right next to the building they needed to reach. Weapons were at the ready as they crept their way up the steps. They could hear Killian speaking with someone on the comms.

Doctor Arthur Watts was the voice that they identified. There was a small live hologram of the Doctor on the holotable whilst Killian was pacing back and forth.

“Are the weapons prepared? We cannot allow things to worsen. The Feral Ones are already losing control of Menagerie as we speak.” Watts questioned.

“We’ve nearly assembled all the explosives. We will deliver them to their target locations before nightfall. A longer wait than the hour before burning the Kingdoms… but I imagine Team C.P.P.R will arrive at the Sanctum before long. I just pray those fools don’t try anything. I’d rather not slaughter all those innocents… but if they force my hand, I will.” Killian explained.

“We shall see what they will do. Once the shipments are complete, make your way to the Sanctum.” Watts said.

“Understood. Killian out.” The call was over. He turned and pressed his hands against the computer, staring at the operation outside. He hung his head and clenched his hands into fists.

Eryka and Winter held hands, and they looked at Dutch, nodding their heads.

Dutch held the detonator in his hand and exhaled and pressed the button.

The loudest explosion they had ever heard erupted. If they hadn’t covered their ears beforehand, it would have deafened them. Killian jolted and grunted, pressing his hands against his ears in pain, dropping to one knee. The flash was blinding, and when it dimmed, all that was left behind was total devastation. The explosion completely eviscerated all the forces back there, and the shock wave blew the three of them off their feet. The glass in the Operations Room shattered, and the flames consumed the soldiers in that area, burning them to ash. The Wasp spun out of control, crashing into the flames.

They looked back with wide eyes. The entire side of the ravine they were just at collapsed, and even more than that, the ground above where the explosion was sunk. Crumbling into itself and swallowing the vault inside. The chain reaction of explosions flooded into the vault, destroying everything inside and even causing parts of the cliff to come crashing down into the river.

Killian stood tall with wide eyes, staring at the devastation. Killian immediately rushed to the communications and pressed his finger on it. “Code Red! I repeat: Code Red! Search for survivors at the site of the explosion!” Killian commanded, and he picked up his chrome pistol to go out the door they were behind.

Dutch suddenly spun into the doorway and fired at Killian’s head, not hesitating this time, but Killian was fast, and just dodged the shot and punched Dutch in the face, knocking him back. Winter blasted through the window with her glyph, slashing across Killian, but he now had his aura up. He tumbled backwards but raised his Grave Dust Arm, blocking the incoming blows from her sword, before firing his gun at her again.

She rolled aside, but he kicked her in the chest, turning to be hit in the chest by one of Eryka’s exploding arrows. He grunted, thrown back against the wall. He fell to one knee as the three of them stood in front of him, weapons aimed at him. “It’s over, Killian. We’re not going to let you slaughter millions.” Winter snarled, sword aimed at him.

“I have not come this far to die now!” Killian roared, his thrusters in his boots suddenly rocked him towards Eryka and Winter and he grabbed them both by the throat and they launched through the broken window. Killian threw Eryka down towards the ground and she crashed against the rocks, breaking her thin aura in the process. Eryka moaned in pain as she laid there, whilst Dutch vaulted out and covered her, firing his rifle up at Killian. He still had Winter by the throat and he tossed her up in the air with his Grave Dust Arm, before she formed another glyph, blasting off it towards him. They both smashed into the ground, tumbling across the floor.

Killian turned to the boats, and he immediately pulled one of his Flashbang Grenades out and tossed it at his assassins. The flash stunned them momentarily, and he rushed towards it, ushering a small team of remaining Black Gallows Troopers to his aid. “With me!” Killian ordered. They jumped onto the boat and activated the engine, rushing down the river.

“No! He’s getting away!” Eryka grunted, getting back up. Winter stood tall, and they sprinted towards another one of the docked speedboats.

“Get on! Winter, take the wheel!” Dutch called out.

“Copy that!” Winter called back, jumping onto the boat and immediately turning it on. Eryka and Dutch both readied their weapons and Dulcis flew with them as fast as he could, keeping up with the boats. They roared across the rivers and were behind Killian, who looked back and gritted his teeth.

He aimed his Chrome Pistol and shot back at them as the trio of assassins pursued him. Two of the other Black Gallows soldiers also shot back, firing shot after shot at them. Both boats roared through the rivers, winding through the ravine as fast as they could, dodging the falling rubble.

Massive cracks spread through the cliffs of the ravine after that devastating explosion. Winter looked to the side, seeing the different entrances to that vault exploding with flames, more fire bursting through as the chain reaction continued, destroying everything inside. “Well, we definitely triggered a chain reaction! Hold on!” Winter yelled over the engine. Dutch laid across the side of the boat, firing his rifle repeatedly at the other boat, trying to either hit Killian or the driver.

Eryka also was firing arrow after arrow at them, but none were landing because of the chaos. Winter looked up and went as fast as she could as the cliffs in front exploded, blowing rocks everywhere. She drifted round, and they followed Killian through a tunnel. Sudden darkness was a shock, but both Dutch and Eryka continued to shoot at Killian’s boat to stop him. All whilst the tunnel was collapsing around them. Massive chunks of rock plummeted down from the tunnel ceiling, splashing into the surrounding water. Winter dodged them as best as she could, but the water was bouncing the boat around with every splash.

Suddenly, light returned when they got outside and exited the ravine into the only lake of Vacuo, a beautiful and rare sight indeed. In the river were massive Obsidian Spires created from Magma Storms, which were growing ever closer. The red lightning could be seen already as they drove across the lake.

Suddenly the Gyrfalcon and two Wasps roared overhead, whilst the looming threat of the Shadow of Broken Promises hung in the hazy blue sky. The Gyrfalcon roared as it banked around the Obsidian Spires, firing missiles and machine-gun bullets towards the trio’s boat, but as Winter drove, she formed a giant white glyph behind her, spawning a Summoned Nevermore. The enormous creature flew across the sky above them, whilst Eryka drew one of her Phoenix Arrows, firing it towards the boat.

Dulcis flew forward and clasped onto the arrow with his talons, and the flames erupted outwards into the feathered wings of the Phoenix, evaporating the water beneath him and burning across the boat. It wasn’t enough to kill Killian or destroy his boat, but it took out his two bodyguards, burning them alive and throwing them overboard. The Gyrfalcon constantly howled above them, firing its cannons at them whilst the Nevermore slammed into the side of one of the Wasps. As it slashed its talons into the wings, the Wasp spun out of control.

The Nevermore flew away as the Wasp gyrated with smoky flames bleeding from its wound and crashed into one of the Obsidian Spires. It shattered instantly, crumbling back into the lake where it formed. While firing its machine guns at their boat, the second Wasp roared across the water. The Nevermore banked around and suicide bombed into the vehicle, blowing it apart in a single hit.

The Gyrfalcon continued to keep pace with them before they headed into the rapids, trying to monitor Killian’s boat. “They’re headed towards a waterfall!” Eryka called out, seeing through Dulcis’ eyes and seeing the falls on the other side of these rapids.

“Damn it! The Gyrfalcon is preparing to pick him up!” Dutch yelled, watching as it flew ahead and spun around, opening the rear doors. It descended, and the boat launched inside, saving Killian.

“Shit!” Eryka yelled, but then their eyes widened when they saw Killian getting into the cockpit of the Gunship. It spun around and immediately fired on them, gritting his teeth. They all took cover, but the boat was pounded by the incoming gunfire. The Gyrfalcon roared overhead, and banked across the sky, howling.

Eryka then stopped, and she looked to the side. “I got a plan!” Eryka called out. “Winter! Get me on the other side!”

Winter didn’t ask what her plan was, she just trusted her, forming multiple glyphs for her to jump across. She rolled across the ground and drew her bow. She only had two arrows left. One normal arrow and one explosive one. She drew the normal arrow and fired it, nailing it into the cockpit to get Killian’s attention. She then ran towards the edge.

“I’m done with your games, Vasillias.” Killian snarled, and the Gyrfalcon blasted towards her, firing its machine guns across the path behind her. Eryka nocked the last explosive arrow, and without hesitation…

… she jumped off the edge.

She twisted through the air and pulled the bowstring back, aiming directly at one of the thrusters. And she fired, launching the explosive tipped arrow directly into the thruster. Killian’s eyes widened, and the bomb erupted, shattering the wing apart and causing the Gyrfalcon to spin out of control.

Eryka plummeted towards the ground, but the Gyrfalcon slammed against the boat, throwing Dutch and Winter off as well. Winter swiftly launched herself off a glyph and caught her girlfriend, whilst Dutch blasted the thrusters in his boots to slow his descent. The Gyrfalcon, however, spun out of control even more and smashed against one of the tall sandstone pillar, exploding in half and sending the half Killian was in crashing towards the ground.

The Gyrfalcon – the only one of its kind – was no more.

Eryka and Winter both crashed into the water together, and it all went black.

 

Dutch

 

He must have been out for a few minutes, because when he came to that sandstorm had returned, so it must have been at least an hour like Eryka said.

He groaned, holding his side as he slowly got back up, limping through the sandstorm. Smoke filled the air where he saw the burning wreckage of the Gyrfalcon. Dead Black Gallows Soldiers laid on the ground, blood everywhere and some of them were still crushed beneath the wreck. He approached it, leaning his shoulder against the hot hull, and he panted, drawing his pistol. He approached the cockpit and aimed inside it, but Killian was gone.

The sandstorm had covered his tracks, but he was definitely alive. He gritted his teeth with anger, spitting out blood. “Eryka? Winter?” He called out, but the Sandstorm was too strong for him to hear anything.

He limped through the dunes on his own, looking around for any sign of his friends. But he heard something else… a deep rumbling sound, not like the storm.

It sounded like… fire…

His eyes widened, and he spun around, only to be blown across the sand by a fireball. Dutch groaned in pain, feeling the burns sear away at his chest, but he looked up to see Killian stood on the sand dunes. His head was covered in blood down the right side of his face, but the man was still alive, aiming the open palm of his Grave Dust Arm at him. He scowled down at Dutch and ambled down the sand towards him.

“I’ve chased a lot of shadows over the years… seeing traitors in every corner. But the one person I always believed would have my back to the very end… was you… Dutch.” Killian growled, standing before him as fire dust violently burned through the swirling Grave Dust. “I will do whatever it takes to ensure Salem’s goals… and I will let no one stand in my way. But… to honour the friendship we once had… I am giving you this one chance. Leave… and look the other way one last time.” Killian commanded.

Dutch panted, and he slowly got back up, holding his rifle in one hand, but he scowled back at him. “I’m done looking the other way. This ends once and for all.” Dutch growled.

Killian stared back at him and exhaled through his nose. Dutch transformed his rifle into sword from, then the two sprinted towards each other. Dutch slammed the blade of his electrified sword into the Grave Dust Hand of his former Commander and Friend. Killian gritted his teeth, eyes lost of all humanity, and he punched Dutch in the side of the head. He drew his pistol and fired it repeatedly at him, but Dutch sprinted fast, his helmet closing around his head.

The visor shone that bright red X and Killian snarled with anger, knowing that mask all too well, and knowing it was Dutch all along only made his blood boil even more. Dutch launched forward, slashing across Killian’s leg, and when he rolled past, he fired a shot from the opening in the sword. Killian grunted as the bolt hit him in the back, then he spun around and punched his fist down into the sand, blasting fire into it. Huge spikes of black glass rocketed out from the sand, slashing across Dutch and throwing him across the floor.

His sword bounced away from his hand, then Killian grabbed onto him and threw him against the wreckage of the Gyrfalcon. Killian grabbed Dutch by the side of his head with his Grave Dust Hand, forcing his head towards a burning spike of metal. He strained as he pushed away, and Killian snarled with fury, getting him closer and closer. Dutch swung his head backwards, overpowering him, and he immediately spun around and punched Killian in the face. He grabbed a hold of his head and swung him down towards the spike.

A horrible slashing sound erupted, and Killian roared in agony, revealing the deep gash he just suffered across his face and over his eye. Blood poured from the open wound, but he just continued to fight, despite the serious wound. He drew his gun and fired at Dutch, hitting him in the shoulder. He tumbled across the ground but vanished into the sand.

Killian looked around, aiming his pistol, when suddenly another shot burst through the sandstorm, hitting Killian in the shoulder. He stared ahead and saw Dutch charging towards him with his sword. He swung towards his chest, but Killian caught the blade, pushing him aside and smashing the gun against the side of his head.

Dutch tumbled across the floor and just as he went to shoot again, Killian grabbed the weapon and tossed it aside. Killian went to shoot him, but Dutch quickly grabbed a hold of his arm and twisted, forcing Killian to release it. He slammed his knee up into Killian’s gut and threw both elbows down against the top of his head, smashing him down against the hot sand. Blood splattered across the floor, then Dutch kicked him in the face, but as Killian rolled over, his Grave Dust hand suddenly reached up.

Killian’s claws stabbed into Dutch’s gut, and his eyes widened in pain. Blood leaked from the stab wound, and Killian shoved him away. He stumbled into the sand and, once again, the sandstorm made Dutch disappear. Killian weakly got back up, picking up the pistol as he aimed around him.

The two of them were extremely weak, and Killian fell onto one knee, pressing his hand against the bloody wound. Dutch stumbled back up to his feet and found his sword, transforming it into Rifle Mode. He walked towards Killian with the gun aimed at him.

He chuckled at him. “What are you doing this for? Huh? Revenge? For Robyn? For Terra?” Killian chuckled as he bled.

“Not just for them… you’re going to kill millions… for her…” Dutch stated as he kept the gun aimed at him as best he could despite the amount of pain he was in.

Killian chuckled again. “Well… it is true what they say… I hope you’re ready to dig two graves, then. One for me… and for who you were. Then again… I doubt there’s much left of me to bury…” He coughed, grabbing the respirator and twisting the handle, pumping the painkillers back into him and holding the Grave Dust inside him back from killing him.

“You’re… a monster…” Dutch groaned.

Killian nodded. “You’re right… I let it… take me.” Killian admitted, staring up at the sandy sky, only barely seeing the sun bleed through. “But only because it was… my only option. The only way for me to make… the hard calls. Calls that you… that nobody… was willing to make… for the greater good. Greater good… heh… like that even mattered in the end.” Killian chuckled, shaking his head. “So go ahead… end it… it won’t change anything. It won’t save the world. It won’t stop Salem… you’ve already lost.”

Dutch scowled and pulled the trigger, only for Killian to suddenly dodge the incoming bullet, and he quick-drew, firing and shooting Dutch in the head. Blood splattered and Dutch gasped, staggering back as he collapsed to the ground. Everything slowly growing dark. The bullet had gone through his cheek but was not completely fatal, not unless he got medical attention.

Killian stood over him, and despite his wounds, the Respirator was what kept giving him his strength, what kept him fighting. “When this is done… there will be nobody to challenge Salem’s rule. Only a new world, one pure, and free from the corruptions of the one that came before. A better world… a world you can’t live to see, old friend.” Killian said, aiming the gun directly at the centre of his head to fire the killing shot.

Until Eryka suddenly tackled Killian to the ground, punching him in the face extremely hard. Winter also ran over with her sword and stared down at Dutch with wide eyes at his serious wound.

But he passed out before he could see the rest of their clash.

 

Eryka

 

Eryka punched him in the face repeatedly, splitting the skin on her scarred knuckles, but Killian punched her right back with his Grave Dust fist.

He rolled backwards and shot Winter in the leg, forcing her to drop her sword, and then he kicked her in the side of the face. Eryka slashed her sword at him, but he backed up, blocking her incoming blows with his arm. The blade sparked against the Grave Dust every time it hit, and then he kicked her in the leg and punched her down against the ground.

Killian then blasted up into the air and landed on top of a dune.

Eryka and Winter rushed to Dutch’s side, crouching down beside him. “Dutch? Dutch!” Eryka panicked.

“He’s alive… but… that’s bad.” Winter couldn’t find any other words. They turned as Dulcis landed and shrieked up at Killian. They both turned to their enemy as he glared down at him.

“Forget Dutch, Eryka. I’m impressed you did all this today… I really am. But all of this? It’s over.” Killian snarled.

Eryka and Winter stared at him in shock at how he was now. “The hell’s happened to you, Killian? You’ve really gotten fucked up… even more fucked up than you were before.” Eryka replied, and Killian snarled in pain as the deep gash in his face seared.

“Gods…” Winter gasped.

“You destroyed my forces…” Killian snarled.

“No, we saved Argus and Menagerie. You’re not going to save the world this way, Killian.” Winter stated.

“I DON’T WANT TO!” He roared, his voice echoing across the storm. “I just want it all gone… forever…”

“Gone? The hell happened to saving Remnant?” Eryka questioned.

“FUCK REMNANT, ERYKA!” He bellowed, teeth gritted. He then held out his arms and laughed. “I’m just gonna let the clock run out on it all and be done with it.”

The two of them knew he was too far gone, and now he had to be put down once and for all.

It was only them and Dulcis who could do it.

This ends here.

Killian suddenly blasted down and slammed his Grave Dust arm down into the ground, blasting flames towards them. Eryka rolled aside and transformed Constantine Damascus into Shotgun Form, firing at him. He swiftly raised his arm, forming a shield of dust to block the incoming projectiles. He then rolled away from Winter as she slashed at him, but she still had a limp from the bullet wound in her leg. Dulcis soared around and slashed his talons across the side of his face, and he snarled with anger, looking around for the eagle. Eryka charged towards him and punched him on the side of his head that was badly cut.

He hollered in immense pain, and grabbed Eryka by the throat, lifting her off the floor. “Do you know how hard it was for me to try to unite us with the Vytal Consensus? How many strings I had to pull?” He yelled. Winter sprang her Time Dilation, slowing down time around her and she blasted towards him, punching him in the side of the face, and knocking him away from her.

He tumbled away and drove his sharp claws into the floor to slow himself down. He aimed his pistol at Winter, but she deflected the incoming bullets with ease and thrusted towards him. He only narrowly dodged, but her blade still sliced across his cheek, squirting blood out from the skin. He then smashed his head into hers and punched her again, before grabbing her by the hair and smashing her down against the floor.

Eryka rushed him, jumping up and wrapping her legs around his head and swinging her body weight down towards the ground. The impact threw him ahead, but suddenly he held his Grave Dust arm up and levitated a chunk of the Gyrfalcon with Gravity Dust, launching it towards her. She gasped, eyes widening, but a huge ice wall rose, blocking the impact. The ice exploded as Killian erupted through, grabbing Winter by the face and smashing her face against the floor, dragging her across the sand and cutting up that side of her beautiful face. He tossed her up in the air and then punched down into her stomach.

Dulcis flew in once more, grabbing onto his arm with the gun in his clasp. He staggered towards Eryka, who punched him square in the face. Dulcis yanked the gun away and vanished back into the Sandstorm once more. Eryka kept her fists up and Killian raised his. He swung at her, but she ducked, punching him twice in the chest and following up with one hard punch to the nose. He staggered back, then she charged towards him and drop-kicked him against the rock.

Eryka smashed her arm against his throat, then started punching him relentlessly in the face and chest, before punching him in the head so hard the back of his skull cracked against the rock. As he fell onto one knee, she brought down both elbows onto his back. He fell on his chest, then snarled with anger, grabbing the sand and throwing it into Eryka’s eyes. She grunted in pain, and Killian grabbed her by her blue hair, throwing her face into the rock.

Eryka stumbled, concussed from that one. He then grabbed her by the throat and lifted her up and pressed her against the wall, igniting the fire dust in his arm against her face. She screamed in pain as the flames burned at her skin, and he grinned savagely at her.

Winter launched towards him and tackled him across the floor. He stabbed at her with his sharp claws, but she swung her heel around, kicking him across the face. Killian stumbled, but turned to his gun and grabbed onto it. As he aimed at Winter, Dulcis slashed across his arm once again.

Killian snarled, glaring at the eagle as he banked around.

Eryka sprinted towards him with fury in her eyes.

BANG!

Eryka jolted and recoiled back, her blue eyes widening as she felt the pain in her chest. Smoke trailed from the barrel as Killian stared blankly. Winter turned with horror in her eyes, and Eryka whimpered, looking down at her heart…

… but there was no blood.

She turned and stared up at the sky, and watched as Dulcis dropped from where he flew, feathers falling with him, and he crashed against the dunes.

Blood leaking from the bullet wound to the heart.

“DULCIS!” Eryka shrieked with terror, she sprinted to her beloved Eagle, and Killian lowered his pistol coldly. Winter stared at Eryka as she held the dying Eagle in her arms. “No! No, no, no… please… no…” She whimpered, but she watched as Dulcis gazed up at her, and his giant golden eyes closed, and he fell lifeless in her arms.

She felt a part of her die in that moment… and the weight of it all fell upon her heart.

Winter snarled with hatred, glaring at Killian, and she launched towards him, roaring as she stabbed straight through his Grave Dust arm as he lunged towards her. It cut clean through the dust and stabbed into the stump. A massive blast of energy erupted, blowing the two of them away from each other.

Killian growled, staring at his arm as the Grave Dust crumbled away, not rising. He stared at the sparking stump, destroyed by the tip of her sword.

The Grave Dust arm was gone, leaving him disarmed on one side. Winter got back up and sprinted towards him, only for him to roll aside and shoot her in the leg once again, bringing her down to one knee. He ran at her and kicked her in the side of the face.

Eryka remained still, holding Dulcis in her arms. Tears streamed from her heartbroken eyes. She felt sick at this loss… but her grief… turned to fury. She gritted her teeth and picked up Slice ‘N Dice, and turned. Killian aimed his gun at her, and Eryka sprinted at him, slashing the sword across his chest. He grunted in pain, blood leaking through the deep wound, and he staggered away from her. She stabbed at him, but he caught her arm with the only hand he had, and twisted.

She winced and released the sword.

As it fell, he kicked it up into the air and caught the hilt, stabbing it into Eryka’s stomach. Eryka cried out in agony, staggering back as he pushed her back, pulling the sword from her side. “I told you it ends here.” He snarled, kicking her in the chest. She held her hands against the badly bleeding wound with her hand and groaned in immense pain, and she looked over at Dulcis’ lifeless body on the ground. Killian walked towards her, throwing the sword aside, and pressed his boot against her throat, pointing that damned gun at her face.

Winter suddenly grabbed a hold of him and pulled him away from her, kicking the gun from his hand and punching him in the face. Eryka’s eyes followed the gun as it clattered across the floor. She tried to crawl towards it whilst also holding one hand against the wound in the left of her gut. She could hear her girlfriend and Killian fighting, but even one-armed, he was still fast and lethal.

Winter was thrown across the floor, groaning in pain, then Killian kicked her in the mouth, rolling her onto her back. Killian yelled, stamping down on her head.

It went black for a few moments, but pretty soon she came to. The gun was kicked too far away for her to reach now, and as she turned, she watched as Killian and Winter continued to fight. Winter was covered in bruises and cuts, and her white hair was now loosely hanging. Her swords were no longer within reach and without Aura, she couldn’t summon anything to help.

Winter threw multiple punches into Killian’s face, staggering him multiple times, and as he dropped to one knee, she smashed hers up into his face. Killian staggered away, spitting blood from his mouth. Then she swung again, but he ducked under her fist and punched her in the stomach. She swung her leg around to do a roundhouse kick, but he stopped her and shoved her down against the ground.

She tried to get up, but he sat atop her and punched her over and over in the face with his only fist. With his back turned to Eryka… she noticed Winter’s sword laid there on the ground behind him. She gritted her teeth and crawled towards it, leaving a long trail of potent blood behind her.

Killian was exhausted now, but continued to punch Winter in the face. She gripped the ground as she hauled herself towards the sword as fast as she could.

Winter gasped in pain, her eye swollen and blood leaking constantly from her nose. Killian then grabbed her by the throat with his one hand, and he squeezed, choking her slowly.

She gasped for air and tried to push him away, clawing at the deep slash mark, but he continued anyway, laughing at her.

“You see… even when your kind… Huntsmen and Huntresses… when you believe you’ve triumphed over us, still we rise again, and do you know why?” Killian asked her. “Because the Black Gallows are a force of understanding. We require no contracts, no fancy weapons or old men in towers to inspire us. All we need… is for the world to be as it is…” He squeezed even harder, not noticing Eryka standing up behind him with Winter’s sword in her hands.

“And this is why the Black Gallows… will never be destroyed!” He snarled, and as darkness began to claim Winter…

… Eryka yelled with all her fury and rammed Winter’s sword straight through Killian’s throat and directly through the Respirator.

Killian’s onyx eyes widened as indescribable agony flushed through him, and blood poured through the wound and out of his mouth. He gasped and Eryka twisted the blade for good measure, annihilating the Respirator, causing the pieces to fall off, and she kicked him off Winter.

He released her, and Winter gasped for air as Eryka collapsed to the ground.

Killian writhed on the ground, unable to scream from the burning pain in his chest as he bled out, and as the Grave Dust finally ate away at his body. He crawled away, disappearing into the sandstorm, but Eryka knew… she finally got him.

She laid there, bleeding out beside Winter, and Dutch remained unconscious.

They all laid there… and darkness claimed them all…

… and their scrolls vibrated…

 

Killian

 

The mortally wounded commander tried to crawl away, suffering as he spluttered blood, but as he reached out, his eyes widened in horror, seeing his fingers turning pale, and the Grave Dust began consuming his body from the inside out.

Killian knelt upright in the middle of the sandstorm, his body slowly crumbling away.

And only one thing echoed in his mind during these final moments…

The exchange he had with Ironwood ten years ago…

“You’re a good man, James. At least you have the honour of dying with the people you loved.”

“And how will you die, Killian? Alone? Or surrounded by your enemies?”

“Oh no, James… I’ll get out of it… I always do…”

Not this time…

Killian stared blankly as he drew his final breath, and he bowed his head, his body turning grey and crumbling into Grave Dust, being blown away in the Sandstorm.

Leaving behind his Chrome Pistol, only to be buried in the dunes.

To be forgotten.

Forever.

Chapter 40: Avenged

Chapter Text

Lavinia

 

The sandstorm slowly calmed down, and as it cleared, the burning blue eyes of Lavinia Vasillias were revealed. She stood atop the cliffs of the Ravine that her daughter had just fought through. Beside her were the Happy Huntresses, Marrow and Vine. “By the gods… what the hell happened here?” Marrow gasped, eyes wide at the devastation left behind. The canyon was completely obliterated, massive chunks of rock choked the river and thick black smoke billowed through the cracks and outside where fires raged.

She floated down whilst everyone used their landing strategies to get down there. Below were the burning corpses of Black Gallows soldiers left behind. Some of them were just scorch marks on the walls, turned into permanent shadows. “Something big went down here.” Joanna commented, crouching down and looking at the burns.

“An explosion… high yield explosives were detonated.” Vine scanned the environment, using his optics to examine every detail of the destruction left behind here. “Someone must have planted an explosive on some sort of payload, judging by what’s left of these Paladins… Killian and the Black Gallows must have been preparing heavy shipments for something.” Vine commented as he walked over to the still burning remains of the Paladin.

Fiona coughed as the smoke blew through the air. She jolted though when she saw parts of the Ravine Walls come crashing down nearby. “This place looks unstable. We should be careful.”

Lavinia walked around, continuing to clear the Sandstorm with her Winter Maiden powers, and she passed by many bodies on the ground. She followed the destruction and found the docks where the boats were. “They must have escaped using the boats that were moored here. Killian’s body isn’t here, meaning they chased him down.” Lavinia explained. She looked around and turned as one of their Airships descended before them. It landed and the back door opened to pick them up.

They followed the river, and they saw the size of the devastation left behind from that massive explosion that Eryka created. But eventually they flew over the large lake, finding the smoking wreckages of the two Wasps in the water. “Well, they definitely came this way.” May deduced, then Marrow peered through the window of the Airship.

“Damn… we need to hurry. Look.” They all followed his line of vision and saw the Shadow of Broken Promises. It was sending a small army down to search for their leader, most likely.

“Yeah, we need to find them before those bastards do.” Lavinia agreed. They continued to follow the lake, passing by the Obsidian Spires in the lake and finding the rapids that lead to that waterfall. As they passed over, they saw the wreckage down below.

The Gyrfalcon.

“That’s that gunship we saw on our way to the Summit’s Claim.” May remembered.

“The Gyrfalcon… it was the only one of its kind. Watts was the one who found it when he escaped from Atlas Police after the Grave Dust event. It was just a prototype gunship, and he destroyed the others as he left. Without the original and the facility destroyed, they couldn’t make more Gyrfalcons.” Vine explained.

“Well… good to see that damn thing is gone.” Fiona said, relieved. The Airship descended towards the crash site, and Lavinia walked outside immediately, looking around. The waterfall constantly roared nearby, spilling gallons upon gallons of water down into the river beneath them. She walked by the wreck of the Gyrfalcon, seeing the dead bodies of the Black Gallows soldiers who were serving on it.

She then saw the blood on the sharp piece of metal that protruded out from it, where Dutch threw Killian’s face down against. Her eyes widened as she turned and gasped. She saw Eryka laid in the sand, bleeding out from her side and battered. She sprinted to her side and lifted her up onto her knee. “Eryka? Eryka?” She stammered, and she pressed her ear against her chest, and could hear a faint heartbeat.

Lavinia looked around and only saw the bodies of Dutch and Winter.

“Check them!” She yelled. The others all ran over to their bodies.

“Oh, gods… Dutch has been shot in the head…” Fiona gasped, covering her mouth. May pressed her fingers against his neck for a pulse and she couldn’t believe it.

“Holy shit… the dude’s still alive, but his pulse is really weak. We need to get them medical attention as fast as we can. Especially Dutch… I’m amazed he’s still alive.” May hadn’t even noticed the stab wounds in his gut until she looked at them. By the looks of it, he had got those from Killian’s Grave Dust claws.

“How’s Winter?” Joanna asked Marrow and Vine.

“Still alive, but badly hurt. Looks like Killian really beat her badly, and nearly strangled her to death. Lots of blunt trauma.” Vine answered, scanning her body. “And her leg is badly damaged, gunshot wound.”

“What about Eryka?” Marrow asked Lavinia.

“Stab wound in her side, from her own sword by the looks of –”

They looked at her and saw Lavinia staring at something other than Eryka, eyes wide and actually… tearful. “What is it?” Marrow asked her. The Happy Huntresses followed her gaze and Fiona gasped.

“Oh, no…” she realised, walking over to the body of Dulcis near where Eryka fell. She fell to her knees by the beautiful Altum Eagle and she carefully picked him up, looking at the bullet wound.

“Dulcis… he meant everything to Eryka… gods…” Lavinia buried her head down onto Eryka’s shoulder. But she fought back the emotions she felt, and lifted Eryka up, carrying her. Vine stood tall as Joanna picked Winter up, and May picked up Dutch.

“Where’s Killian?” Vine realised. He walked around with Fiona, then he stopped, crouching down to the floor when he saw something.

“What is it?” Fiona asked him.

“Grave Dust… in the sand…” He said, then he saw the chunks of broken metal laid in the sand, alongside still fresh bloodstains. He picked a piece up and his eyes widened when he realised what it was.

“What is that?” Fiona asked.

“Killian’s Respirator… it was the only thing keeping him alive… keeping the Grave Dust in his blood from killing him.” Vine explained, then he let it fall back into the sand.

“They got him… if that thing’s broken…”

Vine looked at her and nodded.

“Killian is dead.”

Normally, Fiona hated the idea of killing people. She was kindhearted to the bone, but at this moment? She felt differently. “Good… too many people died because of that monster. And a little boy has been made an orphan… and I lost one of my best friends to him. I hope he suffered in his last moments.” Fiona stated. Vine stood there for a few moments.

He saw the chrome glint of Killian’s pistol nearly completely buried in the sand, but he just turned and walked away, leaving it to be swallowed by the desert.

To be forgotten, just like the murderer it was fired by.

They all got aboard the Airship and left the area with Eryka, Winter and Dutch aboard, leaving the incoming Black Gallows forces to scratch their heads and fall apart at the prospect of losing their leader.

“Without Killian, the Black Gallows will weaken. And with his body gone, they could even think that he lost his mind and abandoned them. We can use this to our advantage… the Black Gallows’ days are numbered.” Lavinia explained, and Marrow looked back at the crash site as the Wasps arrived, sending out troops to try to find their leader.

Lavinia looked down at her daughter, and for a brief moment she saw Eryka when she was a little girl, asleep in her arms. But she closed her eyes and exhaled.

“Please… be okay, little one.”

 

Blake

 

Unaware of what had just been achieved in Vacuo…

She paced around as they arrived at the location that Ghira, Kali, and Sienna were talking about.

The original headquarters of the White Fang.

It was not as grand as the one in Mistral, but that was what she was expecting. They already told her this was more of a Covert location, designed to blend in and be ignored. And it was exactly that, since they all nearly passed it when they arrived here. If it weren’t for the Veteran White Fang members, they would have completely missed this place.

It looked like just a wall made from rock in a cliff face, no path lead up to it and there were no flags at all. Very easy to miss, but Ghira and Sienna both approached the wall and opened two panels that were perfectly camouflaged into the rocks.

“Whoa.” Yang chuckled, surprised at the ingenuity.

Inside that panel they opened were two things: a handprint scanner and a keypad. They both instinctively typed in the same passcode and then at the same time pressed their hands against the prints. It took a few seconds, but the systems were still in operational parameters. They flashed green, and they heard a deep unlocking sound, and the wall split apart, slowly opening up to reveal the large hall inside, heading deeper into the facility.

“Hmph… good to see our updated handprints worked. Good thing we never showed this place to Adam. Imagine what he would have done with the secrets stored here?” Ghira sighed.

“Of all my choices with Adam, that’s one I’m proud I made.”

Cobwebs dangled from the ceiling as the wind rushed inside. Blake gasped in awe as she listened to the immense doors opening up. “Wow, that’s some impressive stuff. And you said this was back in the early days of the White Fang?” Nora asked.

“That’s right, we didn’t have a large following back then, but we needed somewhere to keep our heads down. Even here in Menagerie, the Humans kept their eyes on us at all times.” Ghira explained as they walked inside of the underground building.

“I’ve been around even since the early days of the White Fang, and even I don’t remember this place.” Ilia stated.

“That’s because it was extremely secret. Only a very small number of us knew this place existed. Basically, the founders of the White Fang.” Sienna explained.

“Adam doesn’t know about it?” Blake asked.

Sienna chuckled. “Gods no. I may have enabled his savagery against the Humans that opposed us, but I knew he was too dangerous to know the secrets buried here.”

They walked down the dark steps, and Weiss felt a chill as she saw the old paintings left behind. Some of them were eerily familiar. “Are those… the two White Fang Monks you killed?” She asked Sienna.

“Fennec and Corsac? No, but they were like him. They weren’t the only ones… and if you ask me, that was when the red flags flew. These were the people who took our cause and turn it into something far more fanatical and extreme than it was supposed to be. The beginning of the Feral Ones, so to speak.” Sienna explained.

“So who was he?” Weiss asked.

“Corvo Albain, and yes… he was their grandfather. He was one of the High Leaders, the one who came before Ghira. The one I killed after he did… what he did to Kaldararr and the Scorpio Bloodline…” Sienna answered, grief in her voice.

Yang turned on the flashlight in her scroll and shined across the walls of this descending stairway, revealing more paintings of the High Leaders.

“There were a lot of High Leaders, huh?” Yang asked.

“Many… our mission has lasted long before Ghira or I were born… I guess we’re still fighting for it. And different leaders had different methods. Some slaughtered the Humans, any of them we saw. Others stayed in hiding. Some tried diplomacy. Others fought back against the ones who wronged us.” Sienna explained.

Yang shone a light and found the picture of Sienna Khan. She was so much younger in this picture, with beautiful flowing locks of black hair. “Wow… this you?” She asked.

“In my early days, yes… lost a lot of my beauty since.” She chuckled.

“I wouldn’t say that.” Yang answered with a chuckle, a compliment that warmed Sienna’s heart. Ghira turned and saw the picture of him and Kali… and Yang’s eyes widened when she saw how much Blake really was just like her mother. In fact, she looked identical when she was younger.

“Like two peas in a pod, you two.” Sienna chuckled as she walked past Ghira.

“Still are.” Kali said, holding his hand. Weiss looked around at the place, then followed Sienna down the steps with Ilia beside her.

“Whenever I thought I knew the White Fang inside out… stuff like this always proves me wrong.” Ilia chuckled. They continued down the stairs until they reached the bottom floor and found many rooms to the left and right. Blake walked into one room with Oscar, who lit the way. She felt the walls with her fingers, examining the old stones that made this place. She sniffed the air, easily identifying this was filled with books.

“A library…” Blake said.

“Yeah… an old one too.” Oscar held one book in his hand. Beside him stood Ozpin, who looked over the books as well.

“My, my… I always believed many of these texts were lost. Stories of the White Fang and the Faunus. There must be stories here from the Great War and after it.” He said, impressed by this collection of knowledge. Oscar opened another and found it was written in brail. He turned his gaze to Blake and placed it in her hand.

“Why don’t you hold on to this one?” He asked her, and she felt the brail. It made her smile. Oscar was always thoughtful like that. Whenever he found a brail book, he would always give to her. He knew how much she loved to read and remembered how depressed she became when she realised she could never read again.

He made it his mission to prove her wrong.

“Thanks, Oscar.” Blake said with a sweet smile. Oscar walked out of the library and joined the others, whilst Blake felt the Brail with her fingers.

… we continued to wander the deserts of Menagerie together, not sure if we could survive. We cursed the Humans every single day for just giving us this island and expecting us to make do.

How can we?

There’s nothing here… just a desert filled with monsters…

… when will they stop punishing us?

  • Day 67

By the gods! This is incredible! It’s not all desert! There’s this stunning part of the island, filled with beautiful trees and fresh water, and it’s connected to the ocean! We can actually start fishing and building a future for ourselves!

Maybe… maybe our future isn’t lost?

Maybe we can make this island a paradise for the Faunus… the Humans may think it was a cruel joke to name this place a Menagerie, and I still hate them.

But we can prove them wrong.

This land is ours.

And we can make it something beautiful for our people.

And we will die to protect it if we must.

Blake closed the book, and she ran her hand across the title on the front cover, realising what this book was about.

Menagerie – Beginnings

It made her smile. She always wanted to read stories of the settlers of Menagerie, she always knew they had it hard in the beginning. Thinking the entire island was just a desert, and they were expected to survive there. But when they found this place? It was perfect. All manner of Faunus could survive. Land, Water or Sky, it didn’t matter one bit.

Everyone could be happy here.

She clutched the brail book close and tucked it away in her bag, leaving the room to join the others. In another room, Weiss walked in with Ilia as they looked around, finding it was an old Armoury. Very few weapons were left behind here, but the ones that were had been rusted over, and were indeed very, very old.

Ilia approached one of the axes that had rust tainting the blade. She picked it up and felt the weight of it in her hands. “To think we once used such weapons.” She said.

“I guess we made do with whatever we could back in those days.” Weiss stopped, and she leant against the wall, bowing her head.

“Are you okay?” Ilia asked.

“Yeah… just… thinking…” Weiss said, and Ilia walked over to her, hopping onto the barrel left in her, crossing one leg over the other.

“About?” Ilia asked.

Weiss sighed, shaking her head. “About the past… and how I used to behave when it came to the Faunus. I was so complacent about the things my father did, what the Schnee Dust Company did. I just… didn’t want to see it. Or maybe my father’s prejudice was rubbing off on me? Gods, I don’t know which is worse.” Weiss sighed. “I just wish I had been better…”

“We’ve all made mistakes, Weiss. The White Fang isn’t all good either. We’ve done bad things. Had corrupt leaders with bad ideals. But the difference is Weiss, you actually changed. You’re better than you were and better than your father ever was.” Ilia explained, gently squeezing her shoulder.

Weiss crossed her arms as she listened to Ilia. “Don’t start torturing yourself for things in the past. What happened… happened. But you learned and became better. You should be proud of how far you’ve come. You proved it’s never too late to change… and well… you made me change, too.” Ilia admitted.

“What do you mean?” Weiss asked.

“When I first met you, I just assumed you were gonna be some stuck up rich Atlesian girl. Hell, I’ve seen my fair share of people like that when I grew up in Atlas. But… you proved me wrong. And I realised I had become prejudiced towards a friggin’ name.” She scoffed. “But I was wrong… and I’m proud of that. Because I know you for who you are now.”

Ilia hopped off the barrel and held out her hand. “That’s always worth eating my words for.” She said, and Weiss smiled, taking her hand and standing tall once more. “Now, after all that deep stuff, let’s keep moving.” Ilia joked, making Weiss chuckle.

The other rooms were merely storage rooms now, which meant the most important place was in the room directly in front of them. Ghira opened the doors, and they walked inside. Kali looked around at the now dark meeting room, but they had their flashlights. They shone them around and found an old generator.

“Let’s see if you’re still working.” Kali said, approaching it and opening the side panel, fiddling with the switches. Suddenly it roared to life and all the lights switched on, making everyone in the room jolt from the sudden bright light.

“Gods, that’s a shock to the system.” Ghira grumbled.

“Oh, hush, you old man.” Kali teased, walking back over to them. They looked at the main table and saw the large map on the table of Remnant.

“Wow… look at that. The old map we used when designing our Mistraalian H.Q.” Sienna chuckled with amazement. “Little piece of history right there.”

“I thought you took it with you.”

“Nah, I forgot.” Sienna confessed.

“Gods… and I surrendered the White Fang to you.” Ghira groaned.

Blake chuckled at that, and so did Sienna. “Okay… where’s that Broadcaster we have in here? It’s sitting around here somewhere.” Kali wondered as she looked around. Everyone searched for the piece of old technology.

“Are we sure it’ll work? I mean, won’t it be outdated?” Yang asked.

“That’s the good thing. We have our scrolls. We don’t need the old cameras. This is simply a signal booster that we need. Once we tune it to the C.C.T Signal, we can send our message everywhere.” Ghira explained.

They continued to search until they heard the booming cheer of Ghira Belladonna. “AH-HA! Found it.” He cheered, holding the small device in his hand. Oscar gave him his scroll after he set it down on the table. He set it down and fiddled with the cables.

“Any idea on what you’re gonna say?” Nora asked.

“I have a rough idea.” Ghira answered.

“Are you seriously just winging this?” Ren asked.

“For the first time, I think the simplest part of all of this is going to be the message. Killian already did the hard work for us. We just need to be the spark the Faunus needs to help us. The hard bit is getting the broadcast to work.” Ghira explained whilst Kali helped him cycle through the settings.

Blake sat there, wringing her fingers. Yang sat down next to her and gently bumped her shoulder. “You okay?” Yang asked.

“Yeah… just nervous. My dad and Sienna are used to this kind of thing… but me?” Blake stammered.

“Don’t worry too much about it. Just… remind the people of what they’re fighting for. A chance to be free of Salem.” Yang supportively said.

“Gods… but what if nobody comes, Yang? What if everyone is… too afraid? What if it’s too late to ask for help?”

“Blake… breathe.” Yang suggested, and Blake started to simply focus on her breathing. Yang always knew public speaking was never one of Blake’s strong suits, but she was one of the strongest people she knew as well. “Like your father said, Killian’s already sparked a massive fire in people’s hearts against Salem. People don’t wanna die… and wanting to stay alive tends to light one hell of a fire under someone’s ass.” Yang explained.

Blake giggled. “Beautifully put.”

Yang smiled. “You can do this. I know you can. Just… tell the world the truth. That we can stop Salem once and for all. Today.”

Blake looked at Yang and smiled, gently pressing her forehead against hers. She exhaled, nodding her head. “Okay…”

“Got it! It’s linked up, just gotta hit record when you’re ready. How’s the lighting and backdrop looking?” Kali asked.

“Uh…” Nora struggled.

“Nora! Just hold it still!” Ren protested as he tried to connect the white sheet onto the pole.

“How’s this thing work?” Ilia mumbled as she fiddled with the light.

Weiss pinched her brow with defeat. “We’re doomed.”

After a few minutes of foolish prep work, they finally made a decent looking recording booth for the three of them. Ghira and Sienna were the ones stood before the camera first – which was literally just Oscar’s scroll propped up on a chair. The two of them had done this hundreds of times before, and knew that Blake was their ace in the hole.

“Okay… you ready?” Oscar asked them.

“Ready.” Ghira agreed.

Sienna cracked her neck. “Let’s do this.” She exhaled.

“Aaaand… live.” Oscar answered, and the feed patched in through every single scroll, television and computer across Remnant thanks to the C.C.T Network.

“My name is Ghira Belladonna.”

“And I am Sienna Khan.”

“Both of us were once the High Leaders of the White Fang, and we speak to the world now – Faunus and Humanity alike.” Ghira spoke.

“Salem and Nathaniel Killian have committed an atrocity with the real threat of killing millions of people today. And this is not something that we can let stand unchallenged.” Sienna followed.

All around the world, people watched this message be sent out.

“For years, Humanity and the Faunus have felt like we have been on opposing lines of a line drawn in the sand that both sides created. But it is time for us all to remove this line and stand together.” Ghira explained.

“I know there are many members of the White Fang out there who have lost faith… and… I shoulder the blame for this. I abandoned you all when the Feral Ones attacked us… I gave up. But I was wrong, because I saw that despite everything, the past six years have thrown at her… a woman stood up to the darkness and fight back.” Sienna explained, turning to Blake, who approached.

“My daughter – Blake Belladonna…” Ghira introduced as she stepped into the shot.

From Salem’s Sanctum, Adam bolted up from his chair with shock to see her stood there, and he clenched his hand into a fist with hate.

“Adam Taurus – the cowardly leader of the Feral Ones – mutilated my daughter on the night of the Inhumane Necessity. And despite everything she has suffered… she still stands here and came to fight against Salem and her enemy.” Ghira explained, sounding so proud of her.

Blake inhaled and lifted her head, seeing the glowing aura of her friends… and of Yang, who smiled and nodded supportively at her.

“We are broadcasting this message today – because we can defeat Salem.” Blake revealed. “Salem is incredibly powerful, but she is not unbeatable. But only together can we hope to destroy her once and for all.” Blake explained.

Li Ren listened to the message as he sat at the Summit’s Claim, but he stood up and walked outside to his people.

“I know how it sounds… after the Rebellions against Salem ended in so much bloodshed, how can I stand here and expect any of you to follow me? To follow us?” Blake asked them. “Well… I guess there’s nothing I can say that can convince you. But Salem and Killian have already drawn the line, and it’s up to us to cross it and fight back against her. The only way our world can be safe from threats like this… is if Salem is destroyed. She will not stop until she gets what she wants… and what she wants will destroy everything we know and love.”

Watts stood with Tyrian sat beside Salem, watching the broadcast from his scroll, whilst Salem sat there and she smirked at them.

“I wanted to hide at first… when I lost my eyes, I thought I would be nothing more than a burden on the world. But every day, I heard the news of how the Feral Ones were butchering people. Abusing Humans and Faunus alike… and this was not the world the White Fang wanted to create. We wanted to create a world free from Human Tyranny… and now both sides and under the oppression of the same enemy.”

Lavinia watched the broadcast whilst sat beside Eryka, who was still recovering from her injuries, and a smile formed on her face. “Good girl…”

“And believe me… I know it can feel impossible to stand up and fight against an enemy that seems to be so unstoppable. And I know that asking the world to put their lives at risk is a crazy thing to do… but that is what’s at stake. We are going to face Salem one way or another. It’s up to you to decide if a peaceful world is worth fighting for.”

“We hope… you make the choice that you believe in.” Sienna added.

“Because that is all we have ever asked of you… our brothers and sisters.” Ghira concluded.

The Broadcast ended, and Blake exhaled.

“I hope that worked…” Sienna said.

“Me too…” Blake agreed.

Now they can only pray that the people of the world band together and help.

Because at this point?

Unity is going to be the only way to defeat Salem.

 

Eryka

 

Pain…

That was all she felt in her heart. It was like a part of her was just forcefully ripped from her heart, like part of her had died and never returned. She felt numb, and just wanted to see Dulcis again. She had prayed it was a bad dream, that Killian didn’t actually shoot him and kill him… but when she slowly came back to reality, she realised that was not true.

He was gone… and so was a part of her.

She looked to her side and saw Winter was still unconscious and so was Dutch. He definitely had the most attention with the medical supplies. The man was shot in the face, after all. She winced in pain as she slowly sat upright, turning to see Lavinia still next to her with Roland. “Whoa, whoa… steady…” Lavinia eased, holding her shoulders so she didn’t hurt herself.

She groaned in pain and rested her back against the wall, staring vacantly. “Eryka? Sweetheart? Are you okay?” Roland asked her nervously.

“W-Where is he?” Eryka stammered, and Lavinia bowed her head in grief for her daughter. She turned and looked at the comfortably placed mass covered in a warm blanket.

“I’m sorry, Eryka… but he’s gone.” Lavinia confirmed. Eryka didn’t know how to react. She wanted to cry, but nothing came out. She just hugged her knees in grief, closing her eyes.

“Where are we?” She asked.

“My Dreadnaught… we’re heading to Salem’s Sanctum… to fight. Blake Belladonna, her father, and Sienna Khan sent out a broadcast of their own. Let’s just say the world is itching for a fight and they’ve given them a target. I wouldn’t be surprised if more reinforcements are minutes behind us.” Lavinia explained.

“Heh… good on them…” Eryka whispered. She then just laid back down in the bed, staring up at the ceiling. Only then did tears stream from her eyes, but still… she couldn’t cry. She just stared upwards.

Lavinia looked at Roland, and he sighed, cradling her hand. “We’re relieved… honey… we were so afraid we lost you down there. We saw the devastation…”

“Yeah… that was… me.” Eryka admitted.

“I had a feeling.” Lavinia chuckled.

“Killian… he was pooling together bombs and missiles… he was gonna blow up Argus and Menagerie, too.” Eryka revealed their eyes widened at that.

“What?” Lavinia questioned.

“But… why?” Roland asked.

“No loose ends… full reset… Dutch gave me a remote bomb, and we detonated them… was a bit bigger than we were expecting. There were lots of bombs.” Eryka explained.

“Well, that explains why the Ravine was in the state it was.” Lavinia wasn’t stupid. She knew her daughter and knew that Eryka was trying to fight the pain in her with simple conversation. It was her way… usually she did it well, but this? This was the first time anyone had ever seen Eryka so broken.

Yet… she was still trying to be herself.

To try to brighten the mood somehow…

… even if her heart was bitter with grief and depression.

The door opened, and she saw Saphron walking inside with the Happy Huntresses, Marrow and Vine – though the two Ace Ops stayed back, feeling like they should. They were so relieved to see her awake, and whilst Winter and Dutch were still unconscious – they were stable. “We’re so happy to see you’re okay.” Fiona said, hugging her. Eryka winced slightly and returned the hug, but it wasn’t as warm as her hugs normally were.

“But I’m not…” Eryka answered, letting her hand drop.

Fiona’s face saddened when she looked back at Dulcis. “I’m so sorry, Eryka…” Eryka just stared at the body covered with the blanket. She didn’t even know if she wanted to see him like that yet. It stung when she held his body in her arms when she died… she didn’t know if she wanted to feel that pain again.

“He was one brave Eagle… never backed down from a challenge.” Joanna said with a smile as she looked at the blanket.

Eryka closed her eyes. Tears streamed down, and she inhaled. She could see the question in her eyes when she looked at Saphron. But she didn’t want to ask, because she was too concerned about Eryka’s health. But Eryka wasn’t stupid. End of the day… she and the Happy Huntresses played a big role in why they hunted Killian down in the first place.

She sat upright and held Saphron’s hand with a smile.

“We got him… Killian is dead.” She promised.

“We never found his body, only Grave Dust and what remained of his Respirator. We made assumptions… but… what happened?” May asked.

“Killian tried to escape on a boat, but we chased him, and the damn Gyrfalcon showed up. He could have escaped but kept attacking us in the thing, but I used my last arrow to blow up the wing. It crashed and when we came to, he had already shot Dutch in the face. The two had fought… but in the end it was just me and Winter against him.” Eryka explained.

She clutched the blanket on her. “Then… he shot Dulcis… and… I felt it… I thought he shot me at first… but my connection to him? My aura connected to his? I…”

“Shh… it’s okay…” Fiona softly assured, sitting on the side of the bed next to her and giving her a hug.

That was it.

That was what made Eryka break down into tears, sobbing into Fiona’s shoulder. Lavinia closed her eyes in grief for her daughter. Marrow bowed his head for her grief. Eryka contained her sorrow, fighting back her tears, hiccuping breaths as she tried to speak again.

They nearly wanted to stop her from speaking to not relive that moment again, but she needed to tell them.

She needed to tell Saphron it wasn’t for nothing.

“After… I… I lost it. We both did. We tried to kill him and Winter destroyed his Grave Dust Arm. But even then he kept getting the upper hand on us over and over, and he stabbed me in the side with my sword. And he started beating Winter…” Eryka explained, shoving the tears away. “I got to her sword when he was strangling her and I stabbed him through the neck… and through the respirator. He crawled away after I destroyed it, and I passed out before I could be sure, but the Respirator was destroyed and he was bleeding out.” Eryka explained.

“We only found Grave Dust… without the Respirator… he wouldn’t have lasted long.” Vine assured.

Eryka looked at Saphron and held her hand. “We got him. Killian’s dead… and Terra and Robyn are both avenged.” She assured with a smile.

Saphron smiled back at her and wrapped her arms around her. “I’m so sorry, Eryka… if I hadn’t begged you to kill him… Dulcis would still be…”

“Don’t… please… we knew what we were getting into. And Dulcis literally refused to be left here, wouldn’t let me close the cage.” Eryka assured. “And… after his threat? And seeing all the bombs he was preparing to send and drop on Argus and Menagerie? We had no other choice… we had to stop him, no matter what the cost. So please… do not blame yourself. Either way… if Robyn and Terra were still alive? We would have done this either way. It was a long time coming.” Eryka assured.

Saphron wrapped her arms around Eryka, sobbing with her. But this time, the tears were of joy that at least Eryka, Winter, and Dutch were alive… and that Killian was dead.

Robyn and Terra’s deaths weren’t in vain.

They turned when they heard Winter groaning, and Eryka turned swiftly. “Wints?” She yelped, holding her side. Marrow and Vine both approached her side, checking how she was doing. Winter opened her bruised eyes to see Eryka, and she reached over to her, holding Eryka’s hand.

“Thank the gods… he didn’t kill you… that’s my job.” She joked, which finally put that beautiful smile on Eryka’s face as she laughed.

Lavinia smiled at seeing her daughter smile like that.

Winter looked over at Dutch and saw he was still unconscious. “What’s Dutch’s condition? Will he make it?”

“The doctors are certain he will. He’s one tough son of a bitch. But they think his eye will be blinded for the rest of his life, and he will be out for a few more days… meaning he won’t be able to join us. But we’ll keep him safe, I promise.” Lavinia assured.

“We should keep Eryka and Winter here, so they can recover.” Saphron said, speaking from a medical perspective, as always.

“No… I want to fight.” Eryka said.

“Eryka, you were stabbed. Pretty badly too. The meds may heal you by the time we get there, but…”

“Then that’s enough… I need to see this through… and I need to find Neptune.” Eryka explained.

It was all I have left outside of Winter and Mom.

I’ve lost Dulcis…

I can’t lose him too.

Saphron wanted to argue against it but knew that Eryka Vasillias was one of the most stubborn people on Remnant, and so was Winter Schnee.

A match made in heaven.

“Well… we still have a few hours before we reach the Sanctum… so make sure you heal. And be ready… because we could be heading from the frying pan and directly into the fire.”

Eryka clenched her fist.

“Good.”

 

Ruby

 

Team C.P.P.R had been waiting for a couple of hours now since they sent their response to Killian.

“Surprised he’s taking so long.” Ruby commented, who was sitting on a rock and kicking her feet back and forth.

“Think he’s asleep?” Penny asked.

“Dunno… kinda rude of him to keep us waiting, y’know? I mean, he’s the one who gave us the ultimatum. You’d think he’d be ready to come get us.” Pyrrha added.

“Maybe he’s dead.” Cinder shrugged.

“That’d be nice.” Pyrrha agreed, Penny looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “Well, am I wrong? How many people are dead thanks to that guy?”

“Okay fair, I guess I can let that slide.” Penny shrugged.

They continued to sit.

“Should’ve ordered pizza.” Ruby yawned.

“I could kill for a pizza right now.” Cinder agreed.

“Oh, give me a chocolate cake any day of the week.” Pyrrha sighed dreamily, picturing a delicious cake in her head.

“That’s a surprise.” Cinder chuckled.

“What is?” Pyrrha asked.

“You loving chocolate cake. From how thin you are, I imagined you’d be watching what you eat every day.” Cinder stated.

“I do, but… a girl can dream.” She said.

“Oh. So no black hole metabolism then?” Cinder presumed.

“No, that’s Nora. I swear she could eat an entire table of food and not gain a pound. No idea how she does it.” Pyrrha stated.

“Lucky.” Cinder scoffed.

“Tell me about it.” Pyrrha groaned, burying her head in her knees.

“Heh… not a problem for me! I could eat one hundred cookies and be fine!” Ruby squeaked. “Aww… now I want cookies.”

Penny just looked at them with confusion. “I wonder what food I’d enjoy if I wasn’t a machine?”

“Hmm… I dunno.” Cinder said.

“Oh, you’d have a sweet tooth, definitely. Ruby would hide the cookies from you.” Pyrrha joked.

Penny looked at Ruby, and her big silver eyes widened. “Hey don’t look at me!” she panicked.

“Would you share cookies with me if I could eat them?” Penny asked.

“Uuuuuuuuhhhhhhh…”

This was the real ultimatum right now, cookies or Penny?

“Pick your choice veerrry carefully, Ruby. Look at her face.” Cinder reminded, gesturing to Penny’s raised eyebrow.

“Y-yeah… s-sure!” Ruby stammered, then Penny’s eyes glowed. “Uh oh…”

“You’re lying!” She gasped, crossing her arms and looking away.

“PENNY NO!” Ruby squeaked.

“I can’t believe you’d choose cookies over me.” Penny teased.

“No, I didn’t mean it like that!” Ruby begged. “Guys, tell her!”

Pyrrha and Cinder glanced at each other and both just shrugged. Penny smirked cheekily when Ruby just looked down.

“You are such a tease, Polendina.” Cinder chuckled.

Suddenly, a black and red portal opened in front of them, getting all their attention. They all stood up and snapped back to the situation, and Ruby stood in front of Penny.

“Think they figured out they’re leaving us girls sitting around?” Cinder asked.

“Or lost their keys.” Ruby joked.

The Eleven Praetorian Knights emerged, sceptres in hand and they all stood in a position in front of them, then Jaune emerged. He glared at them, and their eyes widened when they saw him again. He drew his sword and pointed it at Ruby’s face. “Relinquish the Relic of Knowledge.” Jaune commanded.

“Jaune…” Pyrrha stammered, but Cinder spoke up.

“I don’t think so. The deal was to bring it to Salem. Not give it to her lackey. So we’re going in.” Cinder stated. Jaune glared at her, eyes burning purple, and then he looked back at Ruby. He didn’t even acknowledge Pyrrha or Penny. He lowered the sword and raised it to the portal, commanding them to go.

Ruby walked first, with the rest of the team behind her. They passed through the portal, feeling the cool air by the sea turn into a more unnerving chill. They walked through and saw all the Children of Salem…

… bar Killian.

And sat in her throne was Salem, one hand resting upright against the arm of it with Tyrian and Watts beside her. Tyrian was sitting on his chair beside her, whilst Watts was standing beside her throne, with his arms behind his back. Hazel was sat down with his arms crossed, and Icarus was pacing back and forth. Adam was sitting in his chair, still tightly gripping his scroll after watching Blake’s broadcast.

Alongside Emerald and Mercury, who looked more like hostages here.

They looked at Cinder as they entered and she looked back at them… they immediately saw her pale complexion and knew she was sick.

Ruby crossed her arms confidently at Salem, smirking. “Took you long enough.” She said, which just made Salem smile.

“I will say… I admire your courage, Miss Rose. Not a hint of fear at all.” Salem said.

“Where’s your crony? Killian? He’s the bastard who threatened all of Remnant. Well… it was definitely your command, of course.” Ruby stated. Salem went quiet.

All of them did, and that surprised them.

“Ooh… you don’t know?” Cinder chuckled.

Suddenly, all of them were kicked to one knee by Jaune and the Praetorian Knights. “Silence.” Jaune snarled, walking around them.

The chilling chuckle of Salem made their hairs stand on end as she walked towards them. “Team Copper… a team of the most unlikely allies… turned family. How poetic.” Salem said.

“Hehehehe… shall I cut them down, my queen?” Tyrian grovelled, but Salem just gestured her hand, commanding them all to leave.

“B-But…”

Leave.”

Her voice echoed through the room and silenced them all. They all left the Throne Room one by one, leaving only Salem in there with Team C.P.P.R. Salem walked to the window, her arms behind her back as she watched the Grimm getting into position. “Do you feel it?” Salem asked.

“What?” Pyrrha questioned.

“The end? It’s drawing near… it’s true what Killian said. There is no sweeter feeling than knowing the end is getting closer.” Salem said.

“For one of us.” Ruby reminded, which made Salem chuckle.

“Perhaps.” Salem said, turning and walking back towards them, and standing them all up with her dark magic. They jolted as they felt the wind push them up, then they looked at each other with confusion.

“What is this, Salem? I thought you would have killed us by now.” Ruby questioned.

“Not yet… the four of you may have been a thorn in my side… but you have earned my respect.” Salem explained.

“I’d be humbled…” Cinder coughed, holding her chest as she spat blood out. “But I know… that you knew, didn’t you?”

“Knew what?” Salem asked.

“You raised me to become your Maiden… and had me murder Amber for it. You knew that power was going to kill me, didn’t you? Did you know it would give me Noctis Putrida?” Cinder questioned, her voice turning hoarser.

Salem stayed quiet, and she looked out the window. “Well… I knew it would curse you, but I could never predict how it would do it. It’s always random.” Salem answered. Somehow that made Cinder even angrier than her, saying she knew it would give her this hellish disease.

But Cinder could barely breathe, let alone attack her. Pyrrha stopped her from collapsing to the ground. “But I am sorry, Cinder. If there was another way, I would have chosen it. Especially if I knew you would succumb to such a fate.”

“You’ve got some nerve! She’s dying from a horrible disease, and you act like you have any right to say that you’re sorry? When you knew that either way she would suffer?” Penny questioned with disgust in her voice.

Salem stared at her, and a small smile appeared. “Cinder wished for power, and power I gave. But as the old saying goes – be careful what you wish for lest your wish be granted.” Salem coldly stated.

Cinder spat more blood out whilst Pyrrha held her up.

“Yeah well… I guess that’s true.” She wheezed.

“Salem… tell me something…”

Salem stopped and looked at her. “What did you do to Jaune? WHAT DID YOU DO TO THE LOVE OF MY LIFE?” She roared.

Salem didn’t flinch at her scream. “I improved him.”

Penny took Cinder whilst Ruby had to hold Pyrrha back from attacking her. Pyrrha thrashed furiously as Ruby held her away from Salem, but the Dark Queen walked around the table towards the two of them.

“Improved? He didn’t need improving! He was perfect the way he was!” Pyrrha screamed whilst being on the verge of tears.

Salem looked down at Pyrrha as she cried. “Jaune Arc was a fool with a death wish, whose skills lacked his semblance’s power. I used him how I saw fit. Only through his bloodline can my plans be completed… though your connection to him allowing you to draw the Relic of Creation proved I miscalculated.” Salem explained. “Perhaps I should have chosen you instead.”

Pyrrha growled in anger as Ruby held her back, but Salem just walked away from them. “Why ask these questions if you cannot handle the truth?” Salem asked her, walking around the table once more as she approached Cinder.

She fell to one knee as Penny tried to keep her supported.

Then Cinder chuckled. “Well, then… wanna hear a truth, Salem?”

Salem raised a brow curiously. “Go on.”

Cinder wiped the blood from her nose and stared up at her former master. “Watts plans to betray you, kill you and usurp your position. He used the Relic to find out how… and now he knows.” Cinder explained.

Salem smirked. “Hmph…” She leant down and stared directly into her eye. “What makes you think I don’t already know that?”

Her eye widened with disbelief, all of their eyes did.

“What? How do you…”

“Watts is a clever but very predictable man. He may have helped me find my strength after Thaddeus slaughtered my children, but I knew what he was. He is a manipulator, to the bone… I have always known that he wanted to take my place. So I simply indulged him with the power he gained as my right-hand man… but I never trusted him. Not one bit… and when he eventually tries? I will remind him that you can never be one step ahead of me.” Salem said, standing in front of Ruby now, staring into her eyes.

“Now…” Salem suddenly grabbed Ruby by the throat and lifted her off the floor with one hand. “… enough of this.” Salem snarled, grabbing the Relic of Knowledge and removing it from Ruby’s belt.

She threw the girl against the wall, making Penny sprint to her side. She held the glowing blue lamp before her face, admiring its beauty. Pyrrha sprinted at Salem, but she blew her against the wall with powerful magic, barely even raising her hand.

“My Knight… please lock them away with the others.” She commanded.

The Praetorian Knights opened the door and Jaune grabbed Pyrrha by her ponytail, dragging her away. The other Knights did the same for the rest of Team C.P.P.R. Salem remained, staring at the Relic of Knowledge with a smile.

“Finally…”

Jaune dragged Pyrrha further, ignoring her pleas. “Jaune! This isn’t you. I know you’re still in there! Please listen to me!” But he opened the door and tossed her inside of the dark cell. The other Praetorians did the same, throwing Ruby, Penny and Cinder inside as well, locking it and leaving.

Pyrrha pounded on the door desperately, but she knew it was a more corrupted Thaddeus than it was Jaune.

Just his body now…

She pressed her head against the bars and exhaled.

Ruby rubbed her head in pain after being thrown into that wall with penny next to her, then she looked to the dark end of the cell.

“Ruby?” a familiar voice whimpered.

Crawling out from the shadows…

… was Sun Wukong.

Covered in scars, bruises and fresh torture wounds, he stared at his old friends in disbelief. All of their eyes widened, realising all of them were still alive. Neptune was in the corner holding his knees, with Sage and Scarlet David inside as well.

Russel, Dove and Sky-Lark were in the shadows as well. All of them had been tortured over the six years they had been captured.

Just like Cardin.

Ruby stared at them and couldn’t believe it.

“You’re alive…”

Chapter 41: No Turning Back

Chapter Text

(Reader Discretion Advised - Sexual Content)

 

Ruby

 

“Ruby?” Sun’s voice… it was a voice she never thought she’d hear ever again.

“You’re alive…” Ruby gasped, and she crawled over to hug him.

Ruby wrapped her arms around Sun, but it took him a few moments to really react and return the hug. He sobbed into Ruby’s shoulder.

And seeing the state he was in, who could blame him for not hugging straight away? Nobody else other than Tyrian Callows could have carried out such cruel torture on another person. His eye had been gouged out, a brand of the Salem Eye burned into his neck, countless slash marks in his back, burns and whips… he had been through so much. All of their hair was shaven off as well. In fact, it looked like it was aggressively cut off, judging by the fresh blood and old scars. Seeing all of them like this was heartbreaking.

But the most shocking… was the noticeable lack of his Monkey Tail. “I’m so sorry.” Ruby sounded like she was going to cry as well when she saw the state of him and the others. Tyrian had a lot of fun with them, judging by the scars and signs of torture. “I should have been there, I should have been there to help you all fight at Beacon… I’m so, so sorry.”

“It… it’s okay…” Sun whimpered, tears streaming from the only eye he had left. She then looked over and saw Neptune in the corner, hugging his knees. They were all so much thinner than she remembered, especially Sage, the huge Huntsman she once knew was a fraction of what he once was. They had been malnourished and also looked dehydrated. “There was nothing you could have done… Salem… she was…” He stammered, his hands were rattling. He was shaking so much, and he crawled back into the corner. They were all only in their underwear as well, their clothes long gone and all their scars on show.

All of them had something horrible on their backs…

… a carving of the Salem Eye Symbol.

Definitely from Tyrian, like some dark reminder that they were now some sort of sick trophy of his, or Salems.

I know Salem is a monster…

… but I never expected she’d allow this.

“Did… did Cardin find you guys?” Russel whimpered, shaking in the corner. It was only when Russel said that did they notice that Cardin wasn’t amongst them.

“Cardin?” Ruby asked.

Penny crawled over to them so she could scan them and see how they’re doing internally, but they all reacted and crawled away with wide eyes. “What the hell? How is she…” Sage whimpered, and Penny’s eyes widened.

“She didn’t die that night. She was repaired.” Pyrrha calmly explained. Her soft voice was soothing compared to the maniacal laughter they had become used to alongside the scraping of his blades.

It was like they were staring at a ghost. They couldn’t believe if she was real or not, if any of them were real. Neptune then glared at Cinder, who was leaning against the wall, breathing weakly.

“Amber? Where…” Cinder whimpered. “I couldn’t… ask Salem… the damn…” She began coughing more and more. She was growing paler and paler. Blood leaked from her eyes and her mouth. It was basically constant at this point, and she could barely even stand up anymore.

“Penny… could you check on Cinder? She’s… not doing well.” Ruby softly asked her and Penny nodded, getting up and walking over to her, sitting down and doing a scan.

“It’s okay, just breathe.” Penny whispered, soothing her nerves.

Ruby could barely find the words, but she just focused on one of the last things they said and turned to Russel. “You said something about Cardin? Where is he?” she asked.

“We… tried to make a break for it. Someone opened the door for us, I don’t know who. We nearly made it, but Cardin was the only one to make it.” Russel explained.

“Tyrian was… well… I thought he was gonna kill us. If… if we try to run again… he will… Salem said he could… kill all of us…” Sky whimpered, leant into the corner.

“Gods… Salem really… let him off the leash… it was never like this.” Cinder revealed.

“What do you mean?” Pyrrha asked.

“He was… always crazy, but… she only unleashed that side of him when it was necessary. It’s like she’s just letting him be a monster all the time.” Cinder explained.

The others remained quiet despite hearing this, perhaps knowing that didn’t help one bit. Or maybe they were still afraid of Cinder Fall, since she was the one who lead the very first attack on Beacon Academy. None of them knew Cinder had changed her ways and was a better person now.

“Is…” Sun softly spoke up. “Is Blake alive?”

“Yeah… what about Weiss? My sister?” Neptune whimpered.

“They’re okay. I promise. I haven’t seen Eryka or Winter in a while, but they’ve been getting us help. Weiss and Blake too. We’re taking Salem down.” Ruby promised.

“You can’t… it’s impossible… we saw Cardin smash her head in and she shrugged it off…” Scarlet stammered, shaking in the corner.

“The Relic of Destruction, the weapon she used against us? That’s the key. We have to stop her before she can use all of them. It’s… a really long story, and it’d take me forever to explain it… but we can kill her with it. It’s designed to.” Ruby explained, and their eyes widened, but the hope was long gone.

“You can’t… even if that’s true… we can’t leave. We’ll be slaughtered.” Dove replied, and Ruby looked at him, but Pyrrha held her shoulder and whispered in her ear.

“Ruby… they’re in no shape to fight. They’ve been locked in here, tortured in the worst ways… for six years straight. We can’t expect them to help us.” Pyrrha explained.

“I’m not expecting them to, but we can’t just sit in this cell. We need to get out there.” Ruby explained.

“We don’t even know if help is coming, Ruby. For now… it’s just you three…”

“What about you?” Pyrrha asked.

“Her condition… it’s worsening. I don’t know if she will even be able to walk.” Penny explained.

“Heh… don’t hold back, I like it.” Cinder joked.

“Oh… I’m sorry.” Penny apologised.

Ruby pushed her hands through her hair as she tried to make a plan. “We need to find a way out of this cell.”

“Don’t you get it? We’ve tried… we only really got out once – with help from someone we never saw – and… that lead to us being nearly killed by Tyrian. He gouged out Sun’s eye and cut his tail off as a punishment.” Sage explained.

“This isn’t over yet.” Ruby refused, shaking her head as she paced back and forth, and then she approached the bars of the cell door, looking around. “Jaune’s gone… for now… we should take the chance while we have it.”

Her mentioning Jaune’s name got a very different reaction than any of them were expecting. They all stared at her and recoiled back, merely at the sound of his name. “You… you know about him?” Neptune stammered.

Ruby looked at them, and she nodded her head. “Yeah… he attacked us when we found the Relic of Creation… he nearly killed me.” Ruby explained, rubbing at one of the still healing cuts and bruises on her face.

“He… betrayed us…” Sun stammered.

“What? No, he didn’t.” Pyrrha defended.

“Pyrrha, I know he was your boyfriend but…” Sun stated.

“Salem brought him back with dark magic. We saw her do it for Ozm-we’ve seen her do it before.” She wisely corrected herself from mentioning Ozma, avoiding that long explanation.

“He remembered us…” Russel stated.

“What?” Ruby asked.

“He… he approached our cell and was talking to us and said he was gonna help us get out of here. He opened it and said we needed to follow him. And we did… we saw he looked different, but… it was Jaune. Our buddy.” Sun explained, shuddering as he remembered it.

“What happened? What did he do?” Pyrrha asked.

“We didn’t know the layout of the castle, so we thought he was taking us there… but he took us to Tyrian’s torture room. And he smiled… and watched as Tyrian tortured us all… for three days straight. He smiled the whole time and threw us back in here when Tyrian had his fun and locked the door.” Neptune explained, with tears streaming down his eyes.

Sky gritted his teeth in anger. “That is who your boyfriend is, Nikos. We should have beaten him to death when we had the chance back in Forever Fall.”

Pyrrha couldn’t look at them knowing this, but she closed her eyes and gritted her teeth. “Damn you, Thaddeus… you twisted motherfucker.”

Pyrrha sat down next to Cinder, who was just staring up at the nightlight where the Shattered Moon watched over them. She exhaled softly, shaking her head. “All these years later… and I’m back here in this place. Feels fitting that it ends here.”

“It’s not ending, Cinder.”

“Pyrrha… look at me.”

Pyrrha did exactly that and saw the blood was still leaking from her eyes, nose, and mouth. “I can feel it coming… I don’t know how much longer I have… but… I’m not surviving to tomorrow.”

Hope had fallen through their fingers like grains of sand.

But what they didn’t know was that outside the door where they could not see them were Emerald and Mercury, listening to all of this. The two of them looked at each other and they walked away.

 

Eryka

 

She stared out the window of the moving Dreadnaught. They were over the ocean from Sanus, meaning the next landmass would be Salem’s Sanctum.

It put things in perspective, it really did.

Heading directly into the Heart of Rage.

But none of that was what was on Eryka’s mind. Not the Grimm. Not the Black Gallows. Not Salem. Not the Children of Salem…

And whilst she was always thinking about Dulcis, her mind was only focusing on Neptune, now that she knew he was still alive. Winter walked back in after Eryka heard the door open. She was doing better than she was a few hours ago, though her limp was still there after being shot in the leg. She approached Dutch and checked on him. He was still unconscious, but was recovering.

Albeit slowly.

“How is he?” Eryka asked.

“As well as can be expected… I’m proud of him, though. For years, he was always looking the other way, not wanting to be involved in what Killian was doing. But he stood with us, tried to kill him. Robyn would have been proud of him.” Winter said, gently caressing Dutch’s shoulder.

“He’s a tough bastard, I’ll give him that. Shot in the face and still kicking. He better get a medal if we survive all of this.” Eryka chuckled.

“I just hope he recovers well enough. They think his eye is gonna go blind from the trauma. Let’s just hope that’s the only major damage done outside of the scar.” Winter explained. She then looked over at her girlfriend, who was not facing her. Eryka was still laid on her shoulder, staring out the window constantly.

“Hey… how about you? How’s your wound?” Winter asked.

“It’s fine… ow… okay, still hurts a bit, but… it doesn’t matter.” Eryka answered, which made Winter chuckle.

“Ah, there it is. I know you too well, Vasillias. Spill it.” Winter said as she walked over to her, sitting on the end of her bed with a smile.

But Eryka was still quiet. She glanced over at Dulcis’ body, still covered in the sheet. “Have you… seen him?” Winter asked.

Eryka just shook her head. “I will… I just…”

“It’s Neptune… isn’t it?” Winter asked.

Finally, Eryka nodded her head. Winter affectionately stroked her shoulder. “I told you I know you, Eryka. Please… don’t blame yourself. It’s not your fault that he was taken.” Winter said.

“I was supposed to protect him.” Eryka answered.

“How could you have? We were captured by Valravn when it happened. There was nothing we could have done.” Winter said.

“I could have stayed… like he asked me to.” Eryka stated. She sighed, closing her eyes and shaking her head. “I shouldn’t have disappeared from you in the night… hell… maybe I should have stopped him from going to Haven. Maybe he wouldn’t be where he is right now.”

“Okay, now that’s stupid.” Winter said. “He made his choice. Do you really think you could have stopped him? He’s as stubborn as you are.”

But Eryka didn’t laugh, and Winter closed her eyes. “I’m sorry… I never was great at making jokes.”

Eryka was quiet for a few seconds, but then she spoke up. “When Nep and I were little… it was always just the two of us, really. Especially when I took him with me after I ran away from mom. Some nights we’d stay in rooms at Inns or just camp out in the woods. I always did my best for him, the best I could ever manage to do. I was never motherly material.” Eryka shrugged.

Winter smiled and laid down behind her, gently wrapping her arms around her from behind. “I wouldn’t say that.” She revealed, which made Eryka blush.

“Some nights, we’d always play games together, and we always liked the Warrior game. Where he was a Huntsman and I was always the Grimm, since I was bigger.” She explained, which made Winter chuckle lightly. “And we’d act out the craziest battles together, where he’s the heroic Huntsman who saves the day to save his beautiful princess, and I’m the beast who is trying to gobble them up. Every time I tried to make myself a bigger and crazier monster. But… he was always clever enough to figure out my weaknesses… until one time.”

“What happened?” Winter asked.

“I made myself a Grimm… that couldn’t be killed, a monster that always regenerated its body, no matter what he did. And… I gobbled him up. But I kinda got a little carried away and… he got scared. He started crying, so instead I had the monster throw him up, and that he got me from the inside.” Eryka explained.

Winter smiled. “I wrapped him up tight that night, and we were by the campfire, and I promised him that no monster would ever get close to him. I’d always be by his side, and together, we’d take them down.” Eryka’s voice trembled as she continued, tears streamed from her blue eyes. “And then a real… unkillable monster showed up… and I couldn’t save him… she took him away from me.”

Eryka turned and faced Winter, but her girlfriend still smiled affectionately and wiped the tears away, caressing her cheek. Winter wrapped her arms around Eryka in a warm and loving embrace.

“We have to find him… we have to make it right…” Eryka stammered.

“We will.” Winter promised.

As they embraced each other, Dutch’s hand twitched, and his eye slowly opened.

One tough bastard indeed.

 

Blake

 

She sat on the sofa in her large home, with the old photograph she brought with her of Team R.W.B.Y. Her thumb caressing Yang on the print, and she sighed, wishing she could actually see the picture in her hands.

Yet… she could see it so clearly in her mind.

The door opened, and she lifted her head to the sound, seeing the auras of everyone else coming inside. “The riots are over, and the Feral Ones have had to retreat. But by the sounds of it, they’re being summoned somewhere. I think they’re headed back to Salem’s Sanctum.” Ghira explained.

“She knows we’re coming. The entire world saw that broadcast. And she knows people are going to act.” Oscar explained, his hands atop the Long Memory.

“So what now?” Nora asked, leaning against the wall with Stomur Skeggox rested on her shoulder.

“We wait. I have called in some old favours, and some of those include transportation, including a few Dreadnaughts we can use to cross the sea to the Sanctum faster than boats could. It’s not exactly the most well coordinated invasion… but… what other option is there? We can’t let them destroy the world for Salem’s goals.” Ghira explained.

“I told you, holding onto those numbers was a good idea.” Kali lightly slapped his big arm, making the much larger man jolt, his eyes widening.

“Yeah, yeah…” Ghira grumbled.

Sienna looked around, and she smiled. “You know… I never appreciated how beautiful your home is, Ghira.” She said.

“You can thank Kali for that. She’s the artist behind all this.” Ghira stated, shrugging his shoulders.

“It’s true!” Kali called from the other room.

Blake chuckled. Her parents really didn’t change one bit, a comedy duo through and through. Ghira turned to everyone here. “Alright, Kali, Sienna and I need to sort all of this out. Gonna be a long night for us. The rest of you need to get some rest, it’s gonna be one hell of a bigger day for all of you…” Ghira’s hand trembled when he looked at Blake sat there, knowing his little girl was headed into the front line with all of them.

But he also knew that convincing her not to go was a losing battle. She was just as stubborn as her mother. “The house is large and there are multiple rooms and places you can get some sleep.” Ghira assured. He walked with Kali and Sienna and they walked out with Ilia, who was going back to her house for the night to be with her wife.

Blake stood up and walked up the stairs, sliding her hand across the railing, perhaps knowing Yang was watching her go. She followed the rooms whilst everyone made themselves at home down below, and she felt her way back to her old bedroom. She slowly opened the door and found it. Despite her blindness, she knew this was it. The smell alone brought back so many memories.

What she didn’t know was that it was left exactly as it was the last time she was here, since Ghira and Kali thought she was gone up until a few days ago. She walked by her old table, which had her makeup, mirror and hairbrush sat on it. As she slid her hand across it, her finger tapped against it and she picked it up. A small smile formed, then she touched her much shorter hair. “It’s been so long since I started cutting my hair…” she said to herself, though she hadn’t missed it.

She always preferred having her hair be shorter. She walked past her old wardrobe, then finally found her bed, pressing the mattress and sitting down on it. Still just as comfy as she remembered. But the last thing that was on her mind right now was sleep. She was buzzing with adrenaline and fear about the battle they were about to head into.

Rightfully so, as well.

She knew Salem was waiting for them, and she had more than enough defences in place. Alongside the Feral Ones and the Black Gallows?

The odds are still stacked heavily against them.

Blake pressed her elbows against her knees and sighed, burying her head in her hands, shaking her head. Then a tap on the door got her attention, and the golden aura of Yang Xiao Long got her attention. Her heart fluttered when she saw her face formed of aura. “Can I come in?” She asked.

“Of course.” Blake answered, before hanging her head once more.

Yang walked around her bedroom, and she smiled. “So, this is your old room? Wow… did you and Ilia used to play in here as kids?” Yang inquired.

“All the time. I used to have a rocking horse over there. We used to try racing each other with them… until we both fell off them.” Blake explained, making Yang chuckle.

“I would have paid to see that.” Yang said.

“We were very young!” Blake laughed. Yang looked at her table, then touched her hair.

“Gods, I need to get one of these when all of this is done. Haven’t properly tended my poor hair in ages… never had the right stuff. Living up on a freezing cold mountain kinda does that to you.” Yang explained, shrugging her shoulders.

“I know what you mean. Not in the same way, but Oscar and Vernal could only get so much from Vale without arousing attention.” Blake explained. Yang looked at Blake, then she approached, sitting down next to her on the foot of the bed.

“You okay? Or is that a dumb question?” Yang asked.

“Not dumb… but… well…” Blake sighed.

“Yeah… I know how you feel. I won’t pretend to act like I don’t. We all know what we’re heading into.” Yang explained.

“So many lives are on the line, Yang. And we’ve asked even more to come help us fight. And Nora… she’s pregnant and coming with us… I…” Blake sighed, burying her head down in her hands once again.

“Do you really think you could convince her to stay?” Yang asked.

Blake paused.

“Good point.” Blake sighed.

The two sat next to each other. Then Yang affectionately held her hand, kissing her cheek. “We’re gonna do this. I can feel it… it’s gonna be hard, but we’re gonna take Salem down.” Yang promised, and Blake looked at her with a soft smile.

“I wish I had your optimism.” Blake sighed.

“That’s the first time anyone’s accused me of optimism.” Yang chuckled, making Blake laugh as well.

“Yang…” Blake began. “Last night…”

Yang’s expression changed to nervousness. “I’m sorry… I…”

“No… I want this to be something… something real. For a long time after… after I lost Sun, I… I didn’t want to get this close to anyone. But… when we kissed? That was something else. I… I didn’t realise how much I wanted to feel like that again.” Blake explained, and she looked at Yang. “Do… you want this?”

“Of course I do… the truth is, Blake… I’ve felt this way about you for a really… really long time. Ever since you helped me that night when I couldn’t wear the arm… you were the one that helped me the most.” Yang explained. She smiled, remembering what Blake said. “Get up, and show Fear… what happens when you mess with Yang Xiao Long.” Blake turned to Yang and smiled when she said that.

“And I meant every word.” Blake said.

“So why the hell not? Let’s see what happens, huh?” She asked, squeezing Blake’s hand tight.

“We just have to survive Salem, first…”

Yang rubbed her thumb across the top of Blake’s hand. “We still have tonight.”

Sex Scene Begins

Yang caressed Blake’s cheek as she looked at her, pressing her head against hers. “I… want more time…” Blake softly stammered, afraid of losing yet another person she loved. But Yang just smiled, and she kissed her affectionately on the lips.

“We have tonight… and if we survive this? If we win? Then… we have time.” Yang promised, and Blake looked at her with a smile. She then took off her blindfold, showing the scars left behind from Adam when he cut out her eyes. She then held onto Yang and kissed her in return.

It was a rush. They both felt the same emotions.

Desperation but also desire, and they couldn’t hold it back anymore.

They frantically kissed one another, laying down on the bed together as they shared this moment together. Yang sat atop Blake, and she took off her shirt, revealing her yellow bra underneath, and Blake pulled off her crop top. Yang lifted Blake up to her as they kissed, and Blake looped one arm around the back of her neck, fiddling with her shorts, undoing them and pulling them from her legs, throwing them across the floor.

Blake giggled. It was the first time in a long time she ever felt this rush of emotions like this. And it wasn’t a feeling she wanted to go away. They both panted into each other’s mouths, trying to catch their breath from how many times they had kissed. Yang undid Blake’s bra, and took it from her breasts, whilst Blake did the same for her, and they pulled their pants away. The two sat together, arms around one another, and Blake stammered.

There was no going back for either of them…

… and they didn’t want to.

Blake pulled Yang to her lips, moaning into her mouth as they fell onto the bed together. Yang stroked her metallic hand across Blake’s leg, and she kissed Blake’s neck. Blake sighed from the ecstasy as she felt Yang kiss her, working her way down from her neck and finding her breasts. Yang pulled her closer, kissing her enormous globes, and Blake felt her entire body pulsate with joy. Blake stroked Yang’s golden locks, feeling every kiss, every lick as Yang made her way further down her body. She kissed her stomach and abs before finding her womanhood, tucking her head between Blake’s legs.

Blake gasped, a smile growing across her face as she felt her. Yang kissed and tasted her, stroking her legs and reaching across her chest up to her breasts, massaging them with her hand. Blake pushed her chest up, stroking Yang’s hair as she kissed her. Yang turned and kissed Blake’s leg as well, running her hand across them, before returning down. Blake bit her lip, barely hanging on, feeling desperation in her body.

She squeezed her legs around Yang’s head ever so gently, then she sat upright, reaching across Yang’s head and stroking up her back, but Yang was relentless. “Oh, gods… don’t stop!” Blake cried out.

She didn’t, continuing to orally pleasure her. Sweat beaded from Blake’s skin as she reached across the bed, gripping onto the headboard. Blake moaned loudly, then Yang made her way back up to Blake, kissing her. Blake wrapped her arms around Yang as they made out. She held Blake down and grabbed onto her with one arm, and with the other, she slid her hand down and tucked her fingers into her womanhood.

Blake gasped, biting her lip again as she felt Yang in there. Yang thrusted back and forth, kissing Blake and muffling her moans. Yang could feel Blake’s legs quiver as she continued to finger her, kissing her warm neck as Blake wrapped her arms around Yang, holding on tight. Yang reached across the bed and grabbed onto the headboard. Blake suddenly grabbed a hold of Yang and flipped her over, now atop the blonde brawler.

Yang’s lilac eyes widened as Blake sat atop her, admiring her stunning naked body. She then reached down to Yang and did the same to her, which made Yang stammer. “Oh, fuck…” she gasped. Blake rocked her hips over her as well, arching her back as she continued to tuck deeper and deeper inside of her. Yang closed her eyes, then reached up to Blake’s breasts, squeezing and fondling them, and stroking across Blake’s slender neck. Blake sighed and panted as Yang slid her hand across her curves and down to her hips.

Yang let out a loud yelp of joy as Blake continued to probe her, and she sat upright, one arm around Blake’s back and one against the mattress. Blake kissed her again and again, unending passion coming from her mouth.

“I love you, Yang…” Blake whispered between the kisses.

“We have all night to prove that to each other!” Yang panted, pushing her hand through Blake’s hair.

“Even that isn’t enough time!” Blake yelped, both hands around Yang as she kissed her again. Yang kissed down Blake’s neck and found her breasts, which ended as Blake forced her back down.

Didn’t realise she was so dominant!

Blake kissed Yang’s breasts, and Yang stroked her hair, feeling Blake’s warm chest against hers. The two held onto each other, then Yang flipped her back onto the bed. Yang tucked her fingers deeper this time, thrusting back and forth as Blake moaned even louder now.

“Yang… I’m so close!” Blake cried out as she grabbed onto Yang, holding on tight, feeling her cybernetic hand stroking across her side and holding onto her leg. Yang kissed her neck and then her breasts once more, running her tongue up her collarbone and finding her mouth once more. Blake moaned into Yang’s mouth as they kissed.

Then… it was like an explosion of ecstasy as Blake reached her climax, letting out a loud pleasurable moan and pushing her back upwards into Yang. Her partner rested her head against Blake’s chest, then rolled off her, Blake still panting. They both laid there and glanced at each other.

“Well… I guess our friendship is officially over.” Yang joked, which made Blake giggle.

“It was worth it.” Blake assured with a smile, looking over at Yang. They huddled close, but Blake knew that Yang still had a bit more in her. She smirked and climbed atop her, and Yang smiled. Blake leaned down and kissed her, locks of Black Hair smothering against Yang’s face. She then kissed Yang’s neck, which the feeling of Blake kissing her anywhere was enough to get her closer.

But feeling her lips work her way down her neck and breasts, tentatively kissing her abs and then feeling her head between her legs like she did for her at the start? That was something else entirely.

Yang gasped and found Blake was better at it than she was.

Yang bent her leg, but Blake held onto that leg, and kissed her more and more, forcefully, which made Yang cry out with joy, arching her back and holding onto Blake’s head. And within moments, Yang finished, letting out a laughing moan. Blake crawled up to Yang and kissed her once again. The two held onto each other tight, then pressed their foreheads together.

That night had been a long time coming.

Sex scene ends

 

Ruby

 

Team C.P.P.R remained in the cell with what remained of Team S.S.S.N and Team C.R.D.L, with Cinder barely able to stay conscious of her sickness getting worse and worse, and her time running out. But Ruby was still pacing back and forth, trying to find a way out of this cell.

Pyrrha rested her head in her hand, watching Ruby. “Will you stop pacing?” Pyrrha finally snapped.

“I pace when I’m nervous! We need to stop her! If she uses the Relics and kills the Brothers, then we’re all finished!” Ruby argued.

Teams S.S.S.N and C.R.D.L stared with confusion.

“Well, pacing back and forth like an animal isn’t gonna solve anything, is it?” Pyrrha responded.

Suddenly, the door opened, and Ruby’s eyes widened.

“Do not tell me I just jinxed us…” Pyrrha said.

Emerald and Mercury stepped in and Mercury kicked Ruby in the chest, knocking her off her feet. The prisoners all cowered fearfully in the shadows from them whilst Emerald pointed her revolvers at them. Ruby rushed forward to attack, but Emerald pointed her guns at her head.

“Come on, Salem’s waiting for you.” Emerald said.

“What?” Ruby questioned.

“Get your ass moving!” Emerald argued, grabbing her and shoving her out the door. She stumbled through the open doorway whilst Penny and Pyrrha followed. Cinder remained on the ground and Mercury stood beside her.

“Come on Cinder… get up.” Mercury told her, and she chuckled.

“So now… you’re the one giving me the orders.” She chuckled.

“Things change… come on.” He sounded softer, and he crouched down, taking her arm and putting her arm over his shoulder, carrying her out of the cell, and she closed it behind them.

The two of them watched as two Black Gallows soldiers walked past them during that entire exchange, then their demeanour changed.

She looked back at the others and whispered. “Hang tight… we’ll be back. And believe them… Salem dies tonight.”

Ruby stared at the two of them in disbelief.

“C’mon, we’re getting you to your weapons.” Mercury said. “Act like we’re taking you somewhere.”

“What about Cinder? Her sickness…” Pyrrha whispered.

“There’s something we can use… it’ll help her walk for whatever time she has left.” Mercury strained as he carried the weak Fall Maiden.

Emerald looked at her old leader with sadness in her eyes. Seeing her this way stung.

They made a break for it, and Ruby smirked.

“I guess you jinxed us.”

Chapter 42: Buying Time

Chapter Text

Oscar

 

The next morning…

The White Fang was starting to come together, much faster than anyone had ever expected. Blake stood with Yang and her father. The two of them glanced at each other and held hands. Many Faunus – Former White Fang or not even related to the organisation – were coming to fight. Bringing anything they could fight with, alongside a couple of Huntsmen and Huntresses who had gone into hiding here in Menagerie. All ready to fight back against Salem.

But even with all these people, the uncertainty of how many people around the world were going to come to their aid was never leaving their mind. It was hopeful, seeing so many men and women taking up arms to fight for freedom here in Menagerie… but what of Vale?

Mistral?

Vacuo?

Atlas?

Even Argus as well?

How many people will fight the fear in their gut of facing Salem, and fight with their fellow brave warriors?

Oscar sighed. Those kinds of questions rattling around in his head were just making him feel woozy. He turned and walked into the Dreadnaught that Ghira called in. They only had three, but that would be enough to transport their forces to the Sanctum. After walking into the ship, he saw that Ren and Nora were sitting together. When he saw Ren caressing her bump, he felt their concern grow. He walked past them and sat down, watching as Weiss and Ilia walked in with Sienna and the others.

He held his hands together and looked out the window. As another hour passed and everyone was aboard the three Dreadnaughts, they took off and left Menagerie behind. Oscar hadn’t stopped looking out the window that entire time, his hands held together.

And before long, he could sense that Ozpin was there. “How are you feeling?” Ozpin asked. He turned and saw the old Professor sat on a crate opposite to him, all in his head, of course.

“How did you feel? When Salem attacked Beacon?” Oscar asked.

Ozpin took a couple moments to answer that question, but eventually he did. “Afraid… but not for my life… for the lives of my students.” He answered. Oscar just nodded his head.

“I guess we really are a perfect fit.” He chuckled.

“It’s the hardest part of any war, especially when you’re the one giving out the orders. Always with that fact in the back of your mind: how many lives am I going to end to win this war? How many dreams and ideas are lost? How many families shattered? Who am I to give these orders?” Ozpin sighed, closing his eyes and shaking his head. “It’s a feeling that never goes away… believe me… and the second you make yourself numb to those questions…”

“… you end up like Thaddeus.” Oscar concluded.

“In a sense… yes.” Ozpin agreed. “A good leader always takes the consequences of their actions into account. Recklessness with lives… that’s not true leadership.” Ozpin explained.

Oscar continued to gaze out the window, only seeing the vast sapphire ocean. Menagerie truly was the most beautiful place he had ever seen. Vale had its moments of beauty and Mistral’s Mountains were stunning. But Menagerie was like somewhere from out of a fairy tale. A beautiful and massive oasis, surrounded by a harsh desert, with the clearest and bluest ocean he had ever seen and incredibly colourful plants and animals everywhere.

And the people… despite the Feral Ones, he never got a second look. Which was surprising. Considering the fact he was Human, he assumed he may have got some looks from a land completely inhabited by Faunus.

But no one was cruel to him.

Everyone was kind and welcoming.

More so than humanity itself.

But as Oscar stared at the beauty, it almost acted like a new form of determination, pushing him to want to stop Salem even more now. If they don’t stop her, then all of this will be gone. Replaced with something horrific instead. “Oz… what if she already has all four Relics? You heard the broadcast that Killian sent out. They don’t have a choice and only had an hour. That was nearly twelve hours ago now.” Oscar explained.

“She most likely has them all…” Ozpin said.

“Then… why hasn’t she done anything yet?” Oscar asked him, which stumped them both. She had what she wanted. She could summon the gods right now… what was taking her so long?

“We can find out.” Ozpin revealed. Oscar raised his eyebrow.

“What do you mean?” Oscar asked.

“There’s a spell we can use. I rarely ever use it since it’s not exactly a subtle form of spying. Not like the Branwens’ Ability to turn into Ravens, Crows and Jackdaws.” Ozpin explained. “But because of our connection with Salem, we can… basically extend our auras out and communicate with her. She won’t notice our presence at first, but she will. But it will give us enough of an idea of what she is doing right now.” Ozpin explained.

“And maybe it can buy us some more time.” Oscar agreed.

“Precisely.”

“Oscar?” He heard the voice of Blake from behind him, making him jolt.

“Oh! Hi Blake… you okay?” He asked.

“You’re talking to Ozpin, aren’t you?” Blake asked. “I heard what you asked him…”

Yang was with her, and so was Weiss. “What did he say?”

“Let’s just say we’re thinking the same thing.” Yang agreed. They clearly meant about why Salem hasn’t used the Relics yet.

“Wanna explain, Oz?” Oscar asked, his eyes shone and Ozpin took control.

“To summarise… it is almost certain that Salem has all the Relics now. But we do not know why she has not used them yet, but I have informed Oscar that we know of a spell to… communicate with Salem. To effectively transport of Aura, our souls so to speak, to her. Not a form of spying I do anymore since there is nothing subtle about it, but it can work.” Ozpin explained.

“Will Oscar, or any of you in there, be in danger?” Weiss inquired.

“Not at all. We would just appear in her mind, but we are not physically present. The major risk of this is the fact that Salem could track the spell to where we are. But… well… we’re now over the ocean, and I doubt Salem much cares anymore.” Ozpin explained.

The three of them looked at each other and looked at Oscar. “If you’re both willing to do it… then do it. We need all the help we can get.” Blake said to him, and Ozpin nodded, returning control to Oscar. He looked at the Long Memory in his hands and he set it down on the floor, closing his eyes as Ozpin unlocked the memories and muscle memory in performing the spell.

Then his eyes glowed green, and it begun.

 

Ruby

 

Emerald was at the front of them and they carefully walked through the halls together, Mercury with Cinder’s arm over his shoulder. She was in a terrible way, barely able to keep her eyes open. “How long were we in there for? Didn’t feel that long?” Ruby asked.

“Around ten hours.” Emerald answered, and it was an answer they were not expecting.

“Seriously?” Pyrrha gasped.

“Trust me, time gets funny in this place. You’d be surprised how much time or how little time has passed when the sky never changes.” Mercury explained. Cinder wheezed and cough. Mercury held her up and saw the blood leaking from her eye and nose. “Gods… I’m so sorry, Cinder…”

“Why the hell… are you apologising to me? I was the one… who left you here…” Cinder sounded so weak, she needed something to boost her.

Emerald squeezed her eyes shut in grief, realising just how much their former leader had changed. If she was like this from the start? Maybe things could have been better… maybe things wouldn’t have ended up this way…

She tried to not think about the sad state that Cinder was in and kept moving forward. Ruby stayed close to her. “The Noctis Putrida is killing her. She can’t fight. We need to get her out of here.” Ruby stated.

“I’m not… going anywhere…” Cinder argued.

“You can’t even stand, let alone fight.” Mercury stated.

“Don’t… leave me behind…” she begged. Emerald looked at her and closed her eyes.

It may be the right thing to get her somewhere safe… but Cinder would rather go down fighting than waste away to a sickness…

… the least we can do is give her that.

One last laugh against her fate, to die on her own terms.

“The armoury has a bunch of stuff there that can help her walk, but down this hallway is Watts’ lab.” Emerald explained, so Mercury lifted Cinder and offered her to Penny, who was strong enough to support the dying Maiden.

“I’ll get it. They won’t suspect me on my own.” Mercury stated, and he walked over to Emerald and kissed her passionately. “Just get them to their weapons. I’ll be right back.” He promised, walking calmly down that hallway in the direction that Emerald had said. She turned and saw Cinder looking at Emerald with a small smile.

“What?” Emerald asked.

“About time.” Cinder chuckled.

Emerald quietly laughed, blushing, before walking ahead of them. “C’mon.” She walked with them and they turned round the corner. Pyrrha’s eyes widened when she saw the amount of Grimm, and also the amount of Black Gallows out there. It looked like the entire Black Gallows Military was here at the Sanctum. They knew that a battle was coming, and they were ready for it.

“Emerald… were you the one who tried to help them escape? Our friends?” Ruby asked.

“Me and Mercury. After Beacon, we tried to run… but we were captured and tossed into these cells… tortured, just like them. Tortured until we were compliant again… but we never were. We just learned to be careful, and smart. To play the part for as long as we can. I hoped that at least one of them would make it… and Cardin did. I hope he lets someone know about them. Knowing they’re alive? It’s gonna light some fire under some asses.” Emerald explained.

“Thank you… for trying… and for this.” Penny said, looking at Emerald with a bit of fear as well. The girl who messed with Pyrrha’s head all those years ago and lead to her being torn apart. Pyrrha had distrustful eyes as well, but it was clear that Emerald wanted to make things right.

Plus, it was only now that they saw her scars on her body from when she and Mercury were tortured together. “Don’t thank me yet. Salem’s still out there.” Emerald explained. They turned the next corner and directly ahead of them was the Armoury she was talking about. But her red eyes widened, and she gasped, and she held her hands out towards them, and she just shushed them. Then she leant against the wall and fiddled with Thief’s Respite.

They stood perfectly still, then heard the voices that were coming round that corner from the Armoury. “… you’d think she’d have done it by now. It’s been ten hours since we captured them.” Icarus said, then they saw both the Fallen Angel and Hazel emerge from the Armoury. The gigantic man, constructed from the corpses of Huntsmen and Huntresses to create a weapon that could wield the Relic of Destruction – by Ozpin – closed the door behind him.

“I don’t even know where she is.” Hazel agreed, and the two of them walked down the hallway in Emerald’s direction.

“Last I saw her, she was leaving the throne room with all the relics. But I never saw her exit the building. I even flew around to see if I could see her… but I don’t know.” Icarus shrugged.

Cinder listened to their voices as they walked in their direction, breathing as steadily as she could and trying not to cough, despite how painful it was.

“Hey, Emerald?” Hazel spoke, and she looked up at the two of them. They were standing literally right next to Team C.P.P.R, but thanks to Emerald’s semblance, they had no idea.

“Yeah?” she answered.

“Have you seen Salem anywhere? It’s been ten hours and we’ve heard nothing.” Hazel asked.

“No, I haven’t. Been wondering that myself.” Emerald answered, and luckily she didn’t even have to lie for that question.

“Well, if you do, let me know. We’re getting anxious. Even Watts is.” Hazel said.

“What about Tyrian?” Emerald inquired.

“What do you think? Bastard’s loyal to a fault. She could literally beat him to death and he’d still promise to serve her.” Icarus chuckled. Hazel gently patted Emerald’s shoulder, and they walked away, none the wiser that Team C.P.P.R were right there. Emerald exhaled then she gestured them to keep moving.

“Wait, so nobody knows where Salem is?” Pyrrha asked.

“No, she literally vanished. No idea where she or the Relics are.” Emerald answered.

“What about Jaune?” Pyrrha asked.

“Seen him around, so he’s not with her.” Emerald answered again, then they entered the Armoury and sat Cinder down.

“I… think I know where she is.” Cinder answered.

“What? Where?” Emerald asked, and all eyes were now on her.

“When I was younger, I saw her leave the castle, and I followed her out there. I got lost, and some Grimm surrounded me. But Salem found me and killed them all. She didn’t say a word and quickly portalled me back into the castle, but I saw a small house behind her. I think… it was that place where Ozma died all those years ago.” Cinder explained.

“Or where Thaddeus slaughtered her family.” Ruby added.

“Maybe both? Maybe she wanted that to be where her family would be? Not in the castle? Some place safe, with some sort of spell keeping Grimm away?” Penny suggested, and Pyrrha nodded her head.

“Somewhere she could be alone.” Pyrrha added.

“I never knew there was a place like that here.” Emerald admitted.

“Do you remember where it was?” Ruby asked.

“Give me a minute… I need to remember which way I went…” Cinder answered, pressing her hands against her head.

Whilst she tried to remember, they all searched for their weapons.

But Emerald was constantly afraid for another reason.

“C’mon, Merc… where are you?” She stammered, her foot tapping as she looking down at the hall repeatedly.

 

Mercury

 

He walked down the hallway towards Watts’ lab, passing by more and more cells where prisoners were being held. These cells differed from the one that C.P.P.R were in. These were Black Cells, and judging by the architectural difference, these were added in the past few decades, unlike the centuries old cell bars near the throne room.

As he walked by them, he could hear the muffled screaming and crying of civilians inside of them, but he slowed down as he passed one of them. Hearing no voice, he looked at the camera to see who was inside. He jolted, but walked away, pretending he didn’t see who that was.

He continued down the path towards the Lab, and turned to the door, opening it. When he saw Watts was here, he hid his shock. He had large vats with Grave Dust in there and he had some of it swirling around his arm, forming blades and even guns with them. He turned as he saw Mercury stood there. “Ah, Mercury, my dear boy. What brings you here?” He asked, sending the swirling Grave Dust back into the vat.

Mercury quickly thought up something. “I was wondering, have you seen Salem around?” He asked, walking through the lab towards the injections that he knew could give Cinder the boost she needed. A form of aura amplifier, like the one that Eryka gave Winter ten years ago when Beacon was attacked again so they could escape the Shadow of Broken Promises.

“No, I haven’t. Why do you ask?” Watts inquired.

“You seem like you’re the only person here who doesn’t seem to be even the slightest bit concerned about that. I mean, she has all the Relics. Why isn’t she just use them already? Why drag it all out?” Mercury asked as he calmly walked towards them and stood there, one arm behind his back.

He expertly took one of them without making a sound.

Thank you, Em… knew those little lessons of yours would come in handy.

“Salem is a very complicated woman, Mercury. She will let us know when she is ready.” Watts assured.

“Why are you so certain of that?” Mercury asked, and Watts raised a brow. He set his tablet down on the table and walked around it towards him. Mercury felt his heart rate accelerate a bit more there.

“You’ve heard the story, haven’t you? Of how I met Salem?” Watts asked him.

“I’m sure you’ll be more than happy to retell it.” Mercury commented, making Watts chuckle.

“After I ran from the Atlesians, after the Grave Dust incident, I ran for many years. Used the Gyrfalcon prototype I stole to make as much distance as I could. I knew my name would be on bounty boards in every Kingdom. So I went to the one place nobody would hunt me… only the Grimm. I came here. I found nothing but wasteland until I found this old castle.” Watts explained, leaning against the table next to him with his arms crossed. “And inside I found… this frail but beautiful young but clearly ancient woman on the floor. Just leant against a broken throne, hair dishevelled and covered in grime. I think she had been there for decades, not moving.” Watts explained.

Mercury could picture the sad sight. “I spoke to her, but she didn’t say a word. She said nothing for a couple of weeks. I just hid in the castle from her Grimm, mostly. I stole enough food and water to keep me going for that long, but after a while, I ran out. And as you can tell, not much food in this wasteland, and it was too dangerous for me to set foot outside. I starved, unlike her, who looked as fit as an athlete all the time. I was dying… then I saw her standing there, and out of thin air… she conjured an apple. She still said nothing, but it was the first time I saw her stand up.” Watts explained.

“When I had some strength back, I went back into the Throne Room and sat on the floor nearby, and I talked at her. Thanking her for giving me food, and once again asking her name. She still said nothing, so I went to leave, but then she finally said something. You’re welcome.” Watts chuckled, shaking his head.

“After that, we slowly talked, and she eventually told me about what happened to her family. I helped her get back on her feet and get over her grief. So if there’s one thing I’m certain of? It’s that Salem needs time… so we should give her time to do what she needs to do.” Watts explained, patting Mercury’s shoulder and walking away.

Mercury walked away from the table and left the room, leaving Watts to his machines. But he could tell that Watts was watching him leave.

Despite all their history of Salem saving Watts that night…

… he would still betray her for his own benefit.

 

Ruby

 

She picked up Black Thorn, and held the two Scythes in her hands, staring at them with a smile, missing these two things so much after having them snatched away. Although part of her still missed Crescent Rose, perhaps part of her will always miss that oversized weapon. Penny found her Grave Dust Reserves in here as well, forming Floating Array behind her with a smile.

Pyrrha picked up Crocea Mortem and stared at the sword, closing her eyes… knowing that she may have to fight Jaune again. And being unsure if she could put him down if she had to. Cinder sat there, then her eye widened as she remembered. She weakly stood up and limped towards the window when she saw what sparked her memory.

“Cinder?” Ruby asked, staying close to her side in case she collapsed. She crashed against the window but pointed.

“There… that spire of purple crystal? It’s… there… I remember seeing that spire…” Cinder finally said, coughing in pain, grabbing at her chest.

“Are you sure? There are a lot of those things around here.” Ruby commented.

“Trust me, that’s the biggest one, and up close? You know that it’s the biggest.” Cinder explained, before she started coughing more and more, and collapsed into Ruby’s arms. She eased her back down and Emerald crouched down in front of her, pressing the back of her hand against Cinder’s forehead.

“Gods, she’s burning up again.” Emerald sighed, uncertain of what to do.

“What were you guys talking about? The thing in here that could help her walk?” Pyrrha asked. Emerald stood up and walked to one of the lockers, pulling something out. She set it down on the table and they approached.

“It’s the shell of an Exo-Suit, like the one that Ace Ops Member uses… Harriet, I think her name was. Doesn’t work the same way, but it’s enough to help her walk.” Emerald explained, Penny nodded her head.

“It will help.” Penny assured, smiling at Cinder. Their eyes turned to the hallway when they heard incoming footsteps, so Emerald activated her semblance and hid them all from anyone but her eyes and acted unsuspecting, tweaking her weapon. But she kept her eyes on the hallway, then she felt her heart bounce with relief to see Mercury turn the corner.

“Oh, thank the gods.” She sighed with relief.

“Just had to get Watts’ ego going to sneak it. Thanks for the lessons.” He said to her, winking. He walked past Emerald and pulled the needle out, crouching down beside Cinder.

“You didn’t develop a phobia of needles by any chance?” Mercury asked her, Cinder scoffed.

“Funny.” She wheezed. He pressed the needle against the skin and it punctured, and he injected the booster in. She gasped, feeling the rush of energy enter her body, and her body glowed as her aura activated. She pressed her hand against the floor and forced herself back up, panting.

“How do you feel?” Penny asked.

“Still like death… but I can fight. I’m itching for it… but not yet.” Cinder stated.

“What is it?” Ruby asked.

“I need to find Amber… I have to make sure she’s safe before we do this.” Cinder explained.

“The little girl?” Emerald asked.

“She’s… well, like a daughter to Cinder.” Pyrrha clarified. Emerald and Mercury stared at Cinder in disbelief.

“Wow… you really did change.” Mercury commented, and Cinder nodded her head.

“I need… to get her out of here.”

“Salem put her in her bedroom, not in one of the cells. It’s always guarded by a Black Gallows soldier. And that entire area of the castle is patrolled by the Praetorian Knights. It won’t be easy getting her out.” Emerald warned.

“I can get her out. I’m strong enough to fly now.” Cinder assured. Emerald and Mercury looked at each other and he sighed, scratching the top of his head.

“I guess it’s just like old times.” Mercury said.

“No, please… I already left you both here with her. Just go.” She begged.

“Not yet. We’re helping you save that little girl. It’s the least we can do.” Emerald promised. Cinder looked at Ruby, Penny, and Pyrrha. Ruby spun Black Thorn through her fingers.

“Biggest Crystal, right?” Ruby asked.

Cinder nodded.

“Alright, ladies. Come on… Cinder’ll catch up. Let’s get there and come up with a plan.” Ruby ordered, Penny and Pyrrha followed her as they opened the window and jumped down. Penny flew down whilst Ruby dragged one scythe against the wall to slow her descent, and Pyrrha bounced from the wall and rolled across the ash covered ground.

No turning back now.

 

Salem

 

The Dark Queen was exactly where Cinder predicted…

Sat on the porch of her home, where Thaddeus Rex Arc slaughtered her children and murdered the man she accepted. There were no tears in her eyes as she stared at their graves. She just stared, seemingly vacantly, with the four Relics just on the floor in front of her. She had not activated all four yet to summon the Gods, but she had the means of summoning her revenge before her very eyes.

The Relic of Destruction stabbed into the floor, and Creation leant against the wall. She quietly tapped her index finger against the top of her other hand, staring at the graves and bowing her head.

What was holding her back?

She had it all… everything she needed to end this once and for all…

She exhaled, then lifted her head to see Ozma stood in front of the graves with his arms behind her back. She sensed the spell being used and her red eyes narrowed. “Here we are again…” Salem sighed.

“Indeed.” Ozma agreed. “Please, Salem… stop this… I know you know that this is bad.”

Salem remained quiet. “What? Do you think this will make up for the things you’ve done? For how you neglected our daughters? To bring back the children Thaddeus butchered?” Salem suddenly blasted towards Ozma, but only to go straight through the illusion and land on the ground a few yards away from her home.

Another variant appeared behind her, the one that she had children with – the False God. He chuckled, smirking at her. “Wow, Salem really? Straight for the throat? Even after everything we’ve done together?” He asked her.

“Stay out of this Ozma. I will kill you again if I must!” she yelled, blasting a bolt of lightning towards him, only for the explosion to erase the position where he was standing.

“You know we can’t do that, Salem.” The old Hermit stated. Salem snarled, gritting her teeth as she ripped a massive boulder from the ground with her magic and flung it towards him, blowing the land to pieces.

Behind her stood the Drunkard, laughing. “Man, we’ve all been on the brink of death more times than we can count. There’s very little you can do to scare us, Salem.” He said, but she opened her hand and called her Double-Ended sword to her, and when she caught it she cut the Drunkard clean in half, only causing him to fade away.

Ozymandias appeared, and he was not alone. She was surrounded by them all. She stared at him and sighed. “Just tell us why. You know that killing the Brothers’ Grimm will destroy everything. Their existence allows us to exist. Killing gods will have consequences.” Ozymandias stated.

“How would you know? How could anyone know? Nobody has done it before.” Salem stated.

“And you’d risk all life in our universe to test that? For what? Revenge?” The Father questioned as he glared at her, fists clenched.

“Destroying the gods will not give you the perfect blank slate you want. It will turn everything into a hellscape, with no relics to clean up the damage.” The Drunkard explained.

“If you’re so certain of this, then why haven’t you summoned them back? Why haven’t you killed them yourself?” Ozma asked, his voice as kind and familiar as she remembered. She turned and stared at him. “Want to get it off your chest?”

She remained quiet. “Yeah… because you don’t know what will happen if they die, either. And you’re afraid that we’re right.” Ozymandias commented.

Salem gritted her teeth in anger, forming a powerful and destructive spell, and she punched the ground with all her might, blasting a huge magical shock wave that wiped the variants away. She remained with that scowl on her face, hearing only two more remain.

“Fine… don’t tell us.” Oscar spoke up, and she turned, looking at the much younger man compared to the others. And beside him stood Ozpin, with his cane in his hand. “But tell me this, would you have carried this out if your family were still here?”

Salem flew up in the air above the two of them, staring down at the two variants.

“Careful, boy.” Salem snarled. “I may not be able to harm you now, but when you arrive, I will tear you apart like I did to them.”

Oscar felt no fear, despite knowing she would. “Why not? You betrayed your family once. Why would I expect you to do otherwise for the one you raised in that house?” Oscar questioned, and she gritted her teeth at him, eyes burning red with the Maiden Powers in her veins.

“I’m a good liar. I’m a very good liar.” Ozpin spoke up, walking around Oscar as he spoke up to her. “But you? You’re better… you fooled us before, and you fooled the last family you had as well, just like you fool everyone who follows you.” Ozpin said, holding both hands atop the pommel. “So tell us… did those children you claimed to love so much know the truth? Or did you view them the same way as you did our children?” Ozpin questioned. “Or how you view your current children?”

“This is pointless, Ozma! Your words will not stop me from doing this.” Salem snarled.

“Well you’re correct on that front.” Oscar said, chuckling. “But we can do the same thing we’ve been doing ever since you challenged the Brothers Grimm. We can buy Remnant a little more time.”

Salem snarled, and she blasted towards them both, making impact so hard that she felt the connection sever.

On the other end Oscar gasped, recoiling back and looking at his chest, thinking for a moment she actually got him.

Salem stood amongst the rubble of the area, and she walked back to the Relics and the old home… but she stopped, hearing footsteps and soft whispers.

She closed her eyes… then sat down on the porch.

Waiting for them to make their first move, picking up some stone and fiddling with them.

 

Cinder

 

Cinder held out her arms whilst Mercury and Emerald connected the straps of the Exo-Suit together, and once it was all together and powered up, Cinder felt her strength increase even more. Enough to keep fighting to the very end. What she wants more than anything… to die fighting.

But first, she had to make sure that Amber was safe. “You ready?” Emerald asked her, and Cinder nodded her head. They hurried through the hallway and she glanced down there, making sure that nobody or nothing was there. Luckily, it was clear at the minute, so they made their next move. They hastened down the hall towards the T-Section. She stopped them and made sure that Watts wasn’t coming out of his lab… but the door was already locked, meaning he had already left.

This time, they didn’t need to give directions. Cinder knew the layout of the Castle like the back of her hand, so getting up to the bedroom was not a matter of getting lost. It was making sure they weren’t spotted. They continued down that hallway, but Emerald gasped and held her hand against Cinder’s chest, stopping her and Mercury.

“What is it?” Mercury whispered, but she hushed them and held her hands up, telling them to stay still.

Then they heard it… the creepy clicking of a Seer.

The creature emerged from one of the cells, blood on its hooks, and the door closed behind it after it was done torturing the person inside. It floated past them, but slowed down, hissing softly. Cinder prepared to fight if she had to, but then the Seer continued on its path.

Thank the gods for Emerald’s Semblance…

Emerald moved first, and they followed, finally locating the spiralling staircase, and they quickly made their way up. Hearing Tyrian speaking down below definitely hurried their pace as he walked down the path of the cells.

Sounded like Adam was with him as well.

They continued to make their way up the stairs, passing floor after floor, heading for the bedroom that Cinder saw in Jinn’s vision of her past. They continued up, then finally found that large hallway. Cinder’s eye widened at what she saw… the hall was lined with statues carved in the shape of the armours of all the Knights that served her.

The Inquisitor – who they now knew, was Ozma, the Senechal, the Zealot, the Executioner, the Spartan, the Shogun, the Berserker…

… and the Deacon…

It looked so familiar but so different and they walked down the hall, but immediately took cover as Emerald activated her semblance. They saw the Praetorian Knights enter constantly on their patrol. But there was no sign of Jaune up here, just some of the Praetorians. Emerald quietly gestured for them to follow and pointed to the staircase that headed up to her bedroom.

They slowly snuck forward, trying not to make a sound as the Praetorians made their patrols, their steps heavy and movements seeming stiff and mechanical outside of combat. Their movements looked like they were stop motion animated, unnatural and not as smooth as they were used to.

It gave them the creeps, actually.

As they walked, Cinder held her chest, feeling that burning pain still in there. The booster only got her on her feet, but it didn’t stop the pain. She tried not to make a sound, but even that was enough. The negativity coming from her pain caused one of the Knights to turn, staring at where she was, despite being unable to see her thanks to Emerald’s semblance.

Emerald gasped, then had an idea, pressing her finger against her temple and focusing.

The Praetorian Knight spun around, hearing something the others couldn’t, and it walked away to investigate, whilst the other two followed. Mercury smirked and nodded his head proudly at her.

They got up and ran up the stairs. Then she only hid Cinder from the guard at the door, and he held his hand up. “Whoa, what are you doing? These are Salem’s quarters.” The soldier questioned, and Mercury confidently walked forward.

“Yeah, Salem asked us to bring the kid down to her.” He said.

“The hell are you talking about? Salem ordered to keep the kid here until she came here in person.” The soldier revealed.

“Oh, is that so? Then…” Mercury paused and sighed. “… okay.” He spun around roundhouse, kicked the soldier’s head against the door so hard that the door burst open and he slid across the floor, knocked unconscious.

Amber screamed in shock, then her eyes widened to see Cinder. “Cinder!” Amber cried out and Cinder dropped to her knees, wrapping her arms around Amber, hugging her tight. And they witnessed something extremely rare… Cinder crying. She sobbed into Amber’s shoulder with relief.

“Thank the gods…” Cinder sobbed, holding her tight.

Emerald and Mercury stared with wide eyes, unable to believe this was the same woman they worked for years ago. “I’m so sorry… I… I…”

“It’s okay… don’t apologise, honey. It wasn’t your fault. We gotta get you out of here.”

“M-Mom?” That really shocked Emerald and Mercury. “A-Are you okay? You… look sick…”

Cinder swallowed deeply, knowing it would crush Amber to know what was gonna happen to Cinder, but she turned to hear the Praetorian Knights roaring, sprinting up the stairs to where they were.

“I’ll explain when you’re safe!” Cinder said, coughing and holding Amber close. Then she held her hand out to Emerald and Mercury. Emerald held Cinder’s whilst Mercury held on to her. Cinder blasted through the window, shattering it as the Praetorian Knights charged inside, firing their Sceptres at her as she flew out of their range.

She descended and found a safe location behind the crystals, far enough away to give them time. Cinder looked around, checking if it was clear. “Okay… it’s clear this is the best chance you’re gonna have. Amber, honey… I need you to listen to me…” Cinder said, her voice breaking again, crouching down in front of her and holding her shoulders. “… I’m dying…” she revealed.

Amber’s eyes widened. “W-What?”

“I’m really sick… and it’s because of bad things I did a long time before I met you. And they’re catching up with me. All I can do now is make sure I can try to ensure you… and everyone else in the world… has a chance.” Cinder said to her, but Amber cried, sniffling and tearing up.

“N-No… no you’re not… please no… M-Mom!” Amber cried out, and Cinder wrapped her arms tightly around Amber, kissing her cheek.

“I love you, Amber… but please… let me do this one thing. I have lived my entire life with nothing, and I killed to fill that hole. At least let me make sure now that you and so many other girls don’t become what I became.” Cinder begged.

Amber cried into Cinder’s shoulder, not wanting to let her go. But Cinder stood up and turned to Emerald and Mercury, the former tearing up immensely. “Both of you… please… get her out of here.”

“Cinder…” Mercury also sounded like he was on the brink, like Emerald.

“It’s time for me to go meet the one who made this way, and try to make things right before I’m too sick to do anything.” Cinder said.

“Oh Cinder…” Emerald sobbed, reaching out to hug her, but Cinder stepped away.

“Don’t, oh Cinder me… neither of you… you deserved better than me. So go and be better than what I nearly made you become.” Cinder begged them. “You both know…”

Cinder walked towards the edge of the cliff but stopped and looked back at them, seeing Amber holding Emerald’s hand, crying. “The two of you? You’re good people… the best… better than I ever deserved. And Amber? You made me better… you made me better than I ever believed I could be. And I will always watch over you… you’ll never be alone.” She promised.

Emerald walked over to her and she smiled, holding her hand with both of hers. “You’re a good person, Cinder… and despite it all… I’ll never regret meeting you.” Emerald promised, and Cinder smiled. “… and I always was a good thief.” She laughed tearfully.

“The best.” Cinder corrected. “Now go… all of you… get out of here.” Cinder begged, and Amber reached out for her.

“I love you… mom…” Amber cried.

Cinder smiled, and she winked at her, making her smile back before she walked away. Cinder turned around and exhaled deeply, staring at the giant spire of purple dust. Her eye ignited, and she floated off the ground, then flew forward.

As she flew across the sky, it all became so easy and so painless. Like everything that had been weighing her down was gone, and she was ready for the inevitable to come.

And she heard the voices in the back of her mind.

You’re a good person Cinder…

We know you, Cinder. The real you…

You still have time… to decide who you want to be with the time you have left…

See all of this as a sign, Cinder. To try… try to do the good thing…

I better not regret saving you…

Cinder stared forward, remembering the first thing Raven ever said to her.

“You won’t.” She promised.

 

Sun

 

Teams S.S.S.N and C.R.D.L sat together inside of the cell, hugging their knees in fear of what will happen next.

And they were about to find out as the door opened, and they lifted their heads…

… and they felt nothing but terror.

“What’s going on?” Tyrian Callows asked. His silhouette stood in the red light of the sky. They were speechless in terror, knowing that he knew that Team C.P.P.R escaped. He slammed the door shut behind him and the darkness surrounded him. They only heard his voice, knowing he was still glaring at them all.

“Where is Team Copper?” He questioned calmly.

They remained silent from fear.

Suddenly Tyrian’s eyes glowed bright purple, and he stepped into the red light of the skylight, teeth gritted and eyes mad with fury.

“Where… IS TEAM COPPER?” He bellowed, cybernetic Scorpion Tail arching over his shoulder.

Chapter 43: Honest Soul

Chapter Text

Ruby

 

She was ready, but that didn’t stop her heart from hammering so hard and fast.

She wasn’t stood with Pyrrha, but the Spartan was laid across the rocks with Ira Red and Crocea Mortem combined into their Rifle Form. She was aiming down at the Cabin where that massive glowing purple crystal protruded from the ground, the same one that Cinder had pointed out before going off with Emerald and Mercury to rescue Amber. Ruby walked down the rocks towards Penny, who was sitting on one of the rocks. She looked more afraid than Ruby was.

Hell, they were all afraid, no doubt about that.

Ruby sat down next to her and affectionately held her hand. “You okay?” Ruby asked her, concern ever present in her silver eyes. Penny exhaled with a tremble.

“It’s Salem…” Penny said, shaking her head. “… do you really think we can defeat her?”

Ruby sighed and shook her head as well. “I don’t know. I won’t lie to you, Penny… I know you’ll see right through it. I really don’t know if we can win this fight… but… we have to try. It’s all we can hope for now.” Ruby explained, and Penny nodded her head.

“If Cinder can do it, despite her circumstances, then so can we.” She exhaled, hardening herself and tightening her grip on Ruby’s hand. The two pressed their heads together, then Ruby reached into her bag and she pulled out the letter from Qrow.

Still sealed.

“Are you… gonna read it?” Penny asked, and Ruby closed her eyes, then tucked it back away in the bag.

“If we survive this? Then I will.” She answered, and that made Penny giggle.

“That’s one way to motivate yourself to survive.” Penny joked. Ruby looked past her and at Pyrrha, seeing her not taking her eyes off the cabin, rifle aimed down at the porch. They knew her mind still had Jaune on it, questioning how Salem could have done this.

As Pyrrha stared down at her, she sensed the Brothers’ Grimm watching over her. She could feel their fear, and it was stronger than her own. Right there were the Relics, all four of them… but she hadn’t activated them yet.

But once she does?

The Brothers will have no choice but to be called back to Remnant… the question was merely how long would it take once combined? Would it be instantaneous? Or could they resist the call before it forced them back down to Remnant?

Damn fools… made a weapon that could kill Salem… but the only way that could work is if it could kill a God… like them.

Maybe you should have considered the consequences of giving a broken woman immortality, huh?

Should have maybe not made her immortality match your own.

Pyrrha’s stare turned when she heard something approaching them. Ruby stood up with Penny as they saw Cinder flying towards their position. She descended and landed before the two of them, her Exo-Skeleton creating a loud thud as she landed. The mechanical bones creaked as she stood tall. Ruby approached her and pressed one hand against her shoulder. “Amber?” She asked.

“She’s okay… we got her out of there.” Cinder assured, the news brought relief to the entire team. “Mercury and Emerald are getting her to safety… there’s nothing holding me back now.” She promised, which made Ruby smile. But that smile faded and Cinder could see the trepidation in her eyes.

“Good… we’re gonna need that fire.” Ruby said as she walked with Penny. “Come on, you’ll see.”

Cinder followed them up the ridge and stood with Pyrrha, and saw Salem sat on the porch of her old home. She was fiddling with some pebbles she found on the floor. Just as Cinder predicted, she was right here. “What’s she been doing?” Cinder asked.

Pyrrha shrugged, still aiming at her. “Absolutely nothing.”

“We heard her speaking with somebody when we approached, and some loud crashing like she was throwing things at something. But when we got to the top, she was calm and just sat there.” Penny explained, crossing her arms.

“And the Relics?” Cinder asked.

“All of them are there. Creation is leant against the wall. I don’t know what she’s waiting for.” Ruby explained. Cinder could see the four of them there, just sat on the floor like they weren’t such godly devices.

“She’s got something up her sleeve. She always does.” Pyrrha assured.

“So I guess we all know this is definitely a trap, right?” Cinder presumed.

“Yeah… but to be honest? I don’t really care anymore.” Ruby shrugged, grabbing Black Thorn and drawing them, spinning the Volcanic Pistols through her fingers. A smirk grew across the side of Cinder’s face.

“Good… I was hoping you’d say that.” Her amber eye shone bright and ignited, the sky darkened above her with a loud clap of thunder. She opened her palms, constructing the obsidian axes inside. Penny’s back opened and the Grave Dust poured out, solidifying into Floating Array, which rotated behind her back.

Pyrrha stood tall and disconnected the two blades, holding them both in her hands. “Let’s finish this.” Cinder stated with a scowl.

Salem continued to fiddle with the stones she found, then her glowing red eyes glanced upwards towards the team made their approach. The four women surrounded Salem and were always at the ready. Salem smirked, still in her black dress as she rolled the pebble around her palm, staring at it.

But perhaps victory is in the simpler things you’ve long forgotten. Things that require a smaller… more honest soul.” Salem recited, staring at Ruby as she got into position.

Salem inhaled before speaking again. “I had hoped that Ozma could have understood the need… for the Gods to be vanquished. That he could see my vision, that only in a world where their blood has been spilled could a new and better world be created.” Salem explained, turning and staring at Cinder as she revealed herself around one of the glowing purple crystals. “I wanted to create a world where we could reclaim the power that was lost. And for a time… I tried to see things Ozma’s way. That we could atone in the eyes of the Gods. But the thousands of years of solitude have shown me… that this world can never be free from them. This world will forever be under their watchful eye, and the second that things slip out of the way they want things to be… they will erase it.” Salem stated, looking at Ruby.

“But killing them will be worse than anything they could inflict on us. They’re the reason we exist… whether or not they deserve to die.” Ruby stated.

“Perhaps… or perhaps life is not something we should cling to so tightly.” Salem stated with a chuckle, her eyes glowing with anger. “Remnant… it will never be whole… it doesn’t matter who leads. There will always be those who are unable to accept unity… like all of you. And that fact alone… means the Gods will destroy Remnant, anyway.” Salem stated. Pyrrha shook her head and gritted her teeth.

“So you’d let the entire world suffer a fate worse than death, anyway? For what? Revenge?” Pyrrha questioned.

“Call it revenge… call it justice… it matters not.” Salem stated, looking at the stone in her hand. “Because finally… after all this time… I am now certain of what I must do.” She said, crushing the stone and letting the powder fall through her fingers. She stood up and turned the Relics, raising her hand and causing the four of them to all float and rotate around as she walked to the Double-Edged Sword stabbed into the porch.

“I will call the Gods back to this forsaken land, and with the Relic of Destruction – I shall cut them down. Either freeing this world from their control or destroying it all… and granting me the rest I seek. It matters not to me which ending happens… so long as the blood of the Gods is spilled on this very soil… my purpose shall be complete.” Salem explained, and they watched as she tapped the ground with her sword.

Black smoke billowed around her, forming into ornate white armour around her body, forming spiked shoulder pauldrons and impressive chest plate and long red cape. Behind her, the four relics activated, the three of them surrounding the Sword of Creation as the pommel slammed down into the living room of her home, and the blade pointed up toward the sky.

Team C.P.P.R’s eyes widened as a massive bright beam of white light shot upwards through the roof and collided into the shattered moon, hanging over their heads. The beam spiralled with white energy like a tornado, completely eviscerating the house, leaving only the base behind. And they saw the fragments slowly become wrapped with golden matter, slowly pulling the moon back together.

With the glowing sun behind it… soon to form…

… an Eclipse.

Ruby narrowed her silver eyes at Salem. “Even after all these years… you’re still the same selfish girl who tried to trick the gods.”

“It is not a thing I can expect… such a smaller and more honest soul… to understand.” Salem stated, spinning her sword through her fingers, eyes glowing and igniting with red flames, activating the combined Maiden Powers of Spring and Summer within her.

Cinder roared with fury as she blasted towards Salem with the rest of Team C.P.P.R. Ruby leapt up into the air with Black Thorn, going directly for the head and Penny shot upwards as well whilst Pyrrha sprinted at Salem. Salem swung her sword into the obsidian axe Cinder held so hard it shattered against her sword, then she kicked her in the chest before spinning around and punching Pyrrha in the face and slashing Ruby out of the air. Penny immediately fired her powerful beam of green energy at Salem, but she raised her sword, refracting the beam across the sky, burning through one of the crystals, sending it toppling into the black sand.

The massive crystal’s impact made the ground quake, but Penny continued to hover above Salem, firing her laser constantly at the Dark Monarch. Salem gritted her teeth in anger and opened her hand, forming a spear of lightning and launched it towards her. Penny’s green eyes widened, and she gasped, hit in the shoulder by the magical bolt and sent crashing down into the sand. Salem spun her sword through her fingers, turning to see both Ruby and Pyrrha charging towards her. Salem raised the sword, blocking both attacks from the Dual Wielding Huntresses, catching Black Thorn’s curved blades.

Ruby swung herself forward, flipping through the air and thrusting both boots into Salem’s jaw. She grunted, staggering away from the Rose, before rotating around on the spot, slashing across Ruby’s legs, knocking her off her feet. Pyrrha launched Ira Red into Salem’s chest, making her stumble back. The blade stabbed clean through parts of the armour, but she didn’t even react to the blade that punctured through her body. The Spartan leapt towards her with Crocea Mortem, held above her head to drive down into Salem’s face.

Salem smacked the sword from her hand with the huge double-edged sword and caught Pyrrha by the throat. Salem slammed Pyrrha against the ground with substantial force and stamped down at her head with her boot. Ruby shot around her and hooked her scythe around her through. The blade cut into the white skin and black blood oozed out. Salem snarled and turned as Ruby swung off the queen’s back. She dropped and rolled across the sand, kicking up the black grains off her long cloak of red.

Salem stabbed her sword into the floor and raised her hands, forming multiple red glyphs in the shape of the Salem Eye, which all shot balls of pure magical power towards her. Ruby gasped and sprinted away as the projectiles shot at her, crashing into the ground and creating huge elemental explosions. Fire, lightning, and ice erupted at her heels as she fled. Ruby transformed into a cyclone of petals, zooming around another tower of purple crystalline matter, and she threw herself towards Salem.

Ruby tackled her and they both crashed through one of the crystals.

Penny climbed out of the crater where she landed and turned to Cinder. “Cinder! I have an idea!” She said, and her back opened up, revealing one of her energy cores. “Shoot some lightning in there! It will boost me up!” Penny called out, and Cinder nodded, cracking her neck.

Ruby swiftly slashed Salem down the arm, cutting down the middle and spilling thick black blood across the floor, but Salem hardly even reacted and grabbed her by the mouth. She swung her upwards, extending her arm like that of a Nuckelavee, tossing her high in the air, and as Ruby flipping through the sky, Salem slung a fireball upwards towards her. The fireball detonated on impact, blowing Ruby higher, and she came crashing back down.

Salem held out her hand and the sword she stabbed into the ground came flying back into her palm. Pyrrha spun her swords through her fingers, then turned to see the clouds of lightning crackling above Cinder. A smirk grew on Pyrrha’s face, causing Salem to turn and see the lightning shoot down into Cinder, charging her up. Cinder roared with rage and blasted the lightning into Penny’s core. The lightning charged up her core swiftly, causing her eyes to glow, then the panels closed up to protect the energy inside.

Her swords transformed and spun in a ring as they aimed at Salem. The Dark Queen’s eyes widened upon realising. Penny fired a colossal beam of green matter at Salem, and she raised her enormous sword, spinning it on the spot with her magical telekinetic powers, making it spin like the rotor blades of a helicopter. The beam impacted the spinning sword, melting the sand into glass beneath Salem’s feet, and it pushed her across the surface of the land slowly. Salem growled in anger as she fought back, holding her ground against Penny.

Penny continued to fire, but Salem couldn’t predict Cinder to come flying over her with her axe in hand. Cinder drove the enormous blade directly into Salem’s throat, nearly cleaving her head clean off. Salem grunted in pain, and her attack was just as Penny ceased her beam, falling to one knee. Cinder pushed the blade deeper into Salem’s neck, forcing down so hard that Salem fell to one knee.

Salem responded by punching Cinder in the face so hard it threw her away. She grabbed the axe in her neck and effortlessly ripped it out, letting it crumble in her palm. Pyrrha jumped off one of the rocks and slashed downwards at Salem, causing her to stumble backwards a couple of steps, but Pyrrha didn’t slow down in her attacks. She cut across the heel of the Queen and when she fell forward, Pyrrha jumped and flipped backwards, kicking Salem up the jaw, landing perfectly at the end.

Salem crashed against the ground but as Pyrrha went for a second attack, Salem got back up and dug her hand into the ground and hurled a rock towards her. Penny soared forward, spinning Floating Array forward like a giant saw blade, cutting it clean in two. Both of them attacked Salem at the same time, Pyrrha thrusting forward and driving both swords into her chest whilst Penny fired her swords downwards, stabbing them into Salem’s shoulders. She landed behind her and swung Salem into the rocks as hard as she could.

Salem grunted as she crashed against the wall, and Pyrrha charged forward and drove Ira Red into Salem’s neck, pinning her there with gritted teeth. Salem raised her hand and her sword came flying back towards her. Pyrrha rolled aside, ripping the sword to the side and spilling more black blood across the floor. But as she readied her stance, Salem swung upwards with the sword, scraping up Pyrrha’s armoured chest. Sparks flew high, and she bounced across the floor. Penny launched herself forward and kicked Salem in the face with her jet boots, burning the side of Salem’s face. Penny flipped backwards and slashed her many swords at Salem.

The Dark Queen deflected the incoming swords with hers and ran her hand across the tremendous weapon as it floated towards her, blasting red flames across it and throwing it towards her. Penny gasped, and she slid onto her knees, only to get punched in the face by Salem. She dropped to the ground as Salem called the weapon back into her palm. Salem stamped onto Penny’s throat, pushing her against the floor, and raised the sword to impale her.

Until Cinder blasted into Salem’s side, blowing her away from Penny.

Ruby groaned as she rubbed her head and lifted her head to see the Relic of Creation right in front of her whilst they fought. She got up and walked towards it, reaching out for it, but the raw power and energy coming off the Relic burned her hand and even blew her away. She tumbled across the sand and stared up at the moon.

“Gods… if that becomes whole… the Grimm will be unstoppable…” she stammered, turning to Salem.

She stared at the Relic of Destruction and approached it, but it was still within that field of energy. “Damn it… only person who can grab that thing… is her…”

Behind her, Salem and Cinder continued to battle. Cinder grabbed Salem by the face and smashed her cheek against the ground as she flew her across the battlefield. Salem’s face became sliced up as sharp rocks hidden in the black sand chipped away at her, smothering black blood over her. Salem dug her hand into the ground until she caught a submerged rock, suddenly stopping and causing Cinder to be thrown forward. She tumbled across the sand but glared at Salem, who stood tall.

Half of Salem’s face had been eroded down to the skull… and even then… her flesh and skin still returned within seconds, like nothing happened. Cinder formed her axes and sprinted at Salem, throwing one of them at her. Salem deflected the incoming axe with her sword and immediately threw the sword sideways. It spun once again like a saw blade towards her. Cinder dropped to the ground and jumped up, cutting Salem’s arm off and swinging around towards the side of Salem’s head.

Salem caught the axe with her hand, and the blade cut deep into it, but she crushed the head of it anyway whilst the other arm swiftly extended from the stump. She punched Cinder in the face and threw her into the rocks, so hard that it dazed her. Salem punched her twice in the face before throwing her into one of the crystals. The impact made her aura flicker and Cinder groaned, trying to form her axe as Salem flew towards her.

Salem stomped down on Cinder’s chest, pushing her against the rocks and called her sword back into her hand and drove it down towards her sternum. Cinder gasped, having to catch the sword with her hands, growling in pain. Salem smirked sinisterly as she pushed the blade closer and closer towards Cinder’s heart.

“Choosing to die in combat rather than from a sickness… I always admired your drive, Cinder Fall.” Salem chuckled.

The blade was now touching her sternum, and her grip on the blade was slipping. Suddenly a massive blast of purple flames erupted behind her and a gigantic bolt of purple energy shot into Salem’s shoulder, causing her to stagger away from Cinder, turning to see…

… Pyrrha.

Her aura was aflame in purple energy, and she stared at her hands, turning to see the Brother of Darkness behind her, extending his wings. She raised her blades and gritted her teeth. Salem could not see his manifestation that was in her head… but she saw the power… and knew it was him.

Cinder chuckled. “Took the bastards long enough to help again…”

Salem silenced her by kicking her in the face, sending her crashing through the rocks. Salem clenched her fist and sprinted towards Pyrrha, who ran at her as well. Salem swung the sword towards her but Pyrrha closed her fist and punched Salem directly in the face, creating a flash of purple energy, blowing Salem back down against the ground. Pyrrha landed and turned to see the Brother of Darkness beside her.

“You must not allow her to summon us back! We can feel the call!” Darkness warned as he floated around her.

Pyrrha ducked down as Salem blasted lightning from her hand at her head, then she jumped and slashed down the side of Salem’s face, cutting a deep gash in her face. As Salem stumbled aside, Pyrrha punched the ground, and darkness channelled his Godly Power through her body, blasting black fire up from the ground. The explosion staggered Salem, and then she crossed her arms together and roared with fury, creating a powerful pulse of energy from her body.

The power of darkness burned across Salem’s body and she stumbled to the side just as Ruby launched herself into Salem’s right and drove Black Thorn through her cheek. She slammed her down against the floor and dragged her into Pyrrha’s boot, kicking her in the mouth. Ruby ripped the blade through the mouth and caused Salem’s jaw to dangle from black flesh. Salem spluttered blood and snarled with rage, punching Ruby against pieces of the roof of her old home, before catching Ira Red and yanking it from Pyrrha’s grip.

She tossed it aside and punched Pyrrha in the gut, before slashing her up the chest and caught her by her red ponytail, smashing her face against the rocks so hard it made her red aura flicker slightly. “Even with their feigned assistance, you are still no match!” Salem roared, punching Pyrrha into the rocks so hard they exploded.

Salem gripped her sword tightly as Ruby suddenly jumped behind her, driving her Scythe into Salem’s shoulder. Salem spun around and smacked the flat side of her sword into Ruby’s face, knocking her against the ground. The Dark Queen gripped Ruby by her hair and punched her in the face, sending Ruby flying up into the air. Massive black wings sprouted from her back and she flew after the Silver Eyed Huntress, grabbing her by the throat as they soared through the sky, punching her relentlessly in the face, before kicking her in the chest.

Ruby shot back down towards the ground, passing by a sharp cliff edge. She swung Black Thorn into the side of the cliff, dragging it down and splitting the soil and rocks as she held on tight. Eventually the scythe stopped dragging, and she dangled on the side of the cliff, hearing the sound of Salem landing above.

Ruby strained as she climbed up the rocks and soil, moving her body aside as chunks of rock and volleys of sand dropped from above. “When will you children understand? You cannot destroy me. Nothing you can do to me will bring me pain. Your efforts and struggles are pointless. Just accept that the Gods must fall.” Salem stated, and just as Ruby got to the top, Salem grabbed her by the throat and lifted her off the floor, sword in her other hand.

“The four of you alone cannot destroy me…” Salem stated, ready to plunge her sword into Ruby’s chest.

Suddenly, a massive explosion erupted from the other side of the castle, getting Salem’s attention. Ruby chuckled, a smile growing on her face. “Jinxed it.”

 

Blake

 

The Dreadnaughts made their approach to the Sanctum…

With only three of them with the Menagerie Resistance, their army was hardly the greatest, but already on arrival, they had hope. There were already flags of the White Fang blowing in the wind down below and some more airships with rebels armed and ready to fight, alongside Huntsmen and Huntresses, warriors of which they did not recognise. But seeing more of their people still out there was more hopeful than they could have expected.

Blake stood there at the ready. Her hand was immediately found by Yang’s, and her warm touch made her smile. She turned to Yang and pressed her head against the brawlers. She gripped Gambol Shroud tightly in her other hand, whilst everyone readied themselves for the battle ahead.

Ghira and Sienna stood together at the front of the ship, in front of their forces. “I know you’re all scared… I won’t deny it, I am too. But we all know what we’ve signed up for today. Salem? Killian? Watts? They have all had their time in the sun and now they are willing to burn us all away for their petty ambitions. We cannot allow them to succeed, or we will lose everything that we are.” Ghira explained.

Ilia sat and held Lightning Lash on her lap, looking at the wedding ring on her finger, whilst Weiss brandished Myrtenaster. The soldiers held their guns and blades tight as the Dreadnaught approached their Forward Operating Base. “Once we leave the safe zone of our F.O.B… expect heavy resistance from Salem’s forces. She is the Queen of the Grimm, but not only that, the Black Gallows answer to her. The odds are stacked against us… but we already have four brave women inside fighting Salem right now… or we hope they are. We need to focus our efforts on taking the castle. Once we have the castle, we take the land.” Sienna explained.

Kali sat on a box with her blades, tapping them together as she thought about the battle which approached. Ren gently caressed Nora’s pregnant stomach, and she rested her head on his shoulder. She exhaled shakily as the Dreadnaught descended towards the ground.

Oscar stared down at the Long Memory after he woke up. His report on Salem’s location helped a great deal for morale. Knowing she was on the other side of where they were going to be helped people know that the enemy they were up against could at least be killed by them.

The Dreadnaught landed on the black sand by the ocean of tar, and it opened the gates. They emerged from within and they already had shield pylons set up to protect them from anything being spawned in the massive sea of Grimm Tar. Which would not last forever, merely long enough for them to begin the invasion. Blake and Yang walked out with the others, and Yang felt a lump in her throat when she stared at Evernight, knowing this was the place…

… where it all started.

“You okay?” Weiss asked, touching her shoulder.

“If you told me back when we first when to Beacon, we’d end up here? Facing what we’re facing? I… well… I dunno what I would’ve said.” Yang chuckled, shaking her head.

“I feel that way about everything that happened, honestly. But we’ve gotta go on… for everyone we’ve lost.” Weiss explained. Yang smiled and nodded. They continued on whilst Oscar stood still, staring at it all like it was familiar… past the vision he saw. Like this place was once a home… the feeling was hard to describe, but he quickly shook it off. Ghira turned when he saw a couple more Airships arriving at the area.

“It’s not the most organised army, but the fact there are a few Airships arriving gives me confidence.” Ghira admitted.

“We had very few options. Killian really pushed this on us.” Kali sighed. Sienna walked ahead of them with Cerberus’ Whip dangling from her arm, standing beside Blake who stared at the keep. Her blindness may not allow her to visibly see it… but she could sense it’s presence.

“You alright?” Sienna asked her.

“We have to make this right. We need to stop her.” Blake stated. Sienna turned back to the forces that were deploying from the ship.

“We will… and I have an idea of how to get their attention.” Sienna assured, patting her on the back.

“You do?” Blake asked.

“Oh yeah, best way to start an attack is to make the first strike.” Sienna said, but Yang raised a brow.

“Is it?” Yang asked.

“Element of surprise, my dear. The fact no Grimm are attacking us yet means they weren’t expecting us to be here yet.” Sienna answered as their forces all exited the Dreadnaughts. She patched in the pilots of the ships.

“This is a direct order from Sienna Khan. Once all our forces have been deployed, fire on the main tower.” Sienna ordered.

“Ma’am?” one pilot asked.

“Our friends already in there are gonna need all the help they can get. We need the Grimm and the Black Gallows to stay away from them. We need to get their attention.” Sienna commanded. Ghira smirked, and he cracked his neck, growling as they approached the point of no return.

Knowing that once the attack begins, Grimm will begin spawning from the Tar Pits. Their forces all emerged from the ships, roughly a couple thousand, not a large number, considering what they were up against. They needed a hell of a lot more, but they knew what they were signing up for.

Blake and Yang stood side by side with Weiss and Ilia next to them. Oscar spun the Long Memory through his fingers and Nora drew both Stormur Skeggox and Magni, veins glowing pink with Ren beside her.

Sienna spun Cerberus’ Whip and Ghira extended the claws from his fingers, with Kali drawing her dual swords.

Sienna raised the scroll to her lips.

“Fire.” she commanded.

The three Dreadnaughts aimed their forward cannons at the main tower and blasted powerful lasers into it, creating a massive explosion which blew the very tip of the tower to pieces. The explosion was gigantic, throwing chunks of debris across the sky and crashing down into the surrounding area.

And within moments, they heard the sound of the Grimm howling, and the tar bubbled aggressively as Grimm were spawned from within. Monsters clambered out from the tar, roaring viciously, but the Reformed White Fang stood their ground, with Blake at the front with Yang.

Beowulves roared viciously with Sabyrs and countless other Grimm amongst them. Apathy dragged their creepy body up from the deep tar, shrieking as they stood tall, with Nevermores descending from the towering spires of Purple Crystal, alongside Teryxes, Griffins, Sphinxes and Manticores.

They were vastly outnumbered.

But none ran.

The Grimm charged towards them and the soldiers opened fire, whilst the Huntsmen and Huntresses charged towards the beasts.

Beginning the Battle of Evernight.

 

Lavinia

 

On the other side of the Sanctum, the Vasillias Cartel made their approach, a massive fleet of Dreadnaughts armed to the teeth with weaponry and filled with soldiers and vehicles. Unlike the Reformed White Fang, they had an impressive army, more than capable of challenging their forces.

“Ma’am! We’re picking up resistance on the other side of the Sanctum! Looks like Faunus from Menagerie, judging by the colours.” One of the Operatives called out, getting Lavinia’s attention. The Winter Maiden walked over to his computer and saw the feed from a drone, showing the battle. Winter approached as well, her eyes widening.

“Weiss!” she gasped.

“Their numbers are thin right now… alright, send a couple of Dreadnaughts and deploy forces there to give them a hand. The rest will deploy as planned.” Lavinia commanded.

“Yes, ma’am!” The operative nodded.

Winter pushed her hands through her hair nervously, knowing her little sister was down there was making her heartbeat race more and more. But Eryka approached and held her hands. “Hey, it’s okay. We’re gonna do this.” She promised her, and Winter nodded.

“Yeah…” Winter exhaled, and she picked up her sword. Eryka looked at her bow and saw her own hand was shaking… she still felt like she was missing a part of her after losing Dulcis. She did not know how to do this without him, but she wasn’t going to back down.

“I want the two of you going there.” Lavinia said to Eryka.

“Are you sure?” Eryka asked.

“Don’t worry, we’ll handle the Black Gallows. My men have already contacted us and let us know that we have Pietro here. And he has the Modified Black Queen Virus. We’ll come up with a plan on how to deploy it. But you need to get to them with our reinforcements for them and help secure their area. And… your brother is in there. And the others, we know they’re all important to the people down there. You need to get inside that castle and find them.” Lavinia explained, and Eryka held her shaking hand, turning to Winter.

Winter nodded, always standing by her side.

“Okay… be careful.” Eryka begged her mother, but Lavinia just smiled, holding out her hands as she walked backwards.

“Made it this far.” She said, turning back to her forces. Eryka ran with Winter to join the reinforcements, and once they left the Dreadnaught, it descended at the designated Landing Zone to deploy their ground forces. Lavinia jumped out beforehand though, igniting her eyes and floating in the air with her Winter Maiden Powers. She descended with the rest of her fleet as their army was deployed and approached their F.O.B.

The Marrow, Vine and Happy Huntresses were here as well, armed to the teeth with their weapons and itching for a fight. Lavinia watched as Eryka and Winter’s Airship flew with the Dreadnaughts to where the Reformed White Fang were located.

As she approached the base, she saw none other than Pietro Polendina was here, as he promised he would be. “You truly are a man of your word.” Lavinia greeted.

“Lavinia Vasillias… heh, I never thought I’d be relieved to be escorted by Cartel Mercenaries.” Pietro stated.

“We do live in interesting times.” Lavinia admitted.

She turned to see that Dutch was here, barely standing with his eye clouded because of the damage his head suffered from Killian’s gunshot. “What the hell are you doing down here?” She questioned.

“I’m… here to help.” He strained.

“You can barely stand, Dutch.” Fiona held out her hands.

“I have not survived what I have survived to sit this out.” Dutch stubbornly argued.

“All you’re gonna be is dead if you join us.” Lavinia warned, pointing at him. “And besides… we’re going to need your help up there more than down here.”

She turned to the Shadow of Broken Promises which loomed above with the rest of the Black Gallows fleet. “The Black Gallows may have us outnumbered but thanks to Pietro, we have our ace in the hole, we just need to get it uploaded into their network. Once the virus infects their systems, they will fall apart. The Black Gallows will die right then and there.” Lavinia explained.

Dutch leant against the Airship he snuck aboard to get down here. “We need you up there in my ship, and help direct our troops. You know Black Gallows deployment strategies better than any of us here.” Lavinia concluded. He looked up at the ship and then at the Happy Huntresses.

“She’s right. You’re our eye in the sky.” May agreed with a smile.

He sat inside the Airship but he still listened to them make the plan. “So? What’s the plan?” Joanna asked.

“We need a team to get aboard the Shadow of Broken Promises. I know it won’t be easy, but it needs to be a small team.” Lavinia explained.

“Well… I know the layout of the ship like the back of my hand, had more experience with it, and I know all its little tricks and secrets. It’s one of the few things Killian taught me.” Dutch assured. “I can direct whoever goes up there.”

“See? Eye in the sky.” Joanna said, winking at him, specifically mimicking his now blinded eye.

“Funny.” Dutch chuckled.

“But who’s going up there?” Lavinia asked.

“I’ll do it.” Marrow volunteered first, which made Fiona proud. Considering he was the most afraid of all the Ace Ops, it made her happy to see him volunteer so quickly and confidently.

“I’ll go too.” Fiona also volunteered.

“You sure?” May asked.

“Yeah, I’m small and sneaky.” She shrugged.

“True, I won’t be much good up there.” Joanna chuckled, rolling her broad shoulders and cracking her neck.

May was about to volunteer, but Vine stepped forward. “As will I. I can hack through their security thanks to the technology I have built into me.” He offered. May stepped back, and she sighed, knowing they needed more people down here on the ground than up in that ship.

A team of three was more than enough.

“Better question now is how the hell do we escape? You said the Black Queen will destroy all Black Gallows tech, right?” Marrow asked Pietro.

“That’s correct. Which is why I specifically asked the Mercenary who picked me up to use my old airship. It’s a very old model of Bullhead, and is most certainly not linked to the Black Gallows network. But even better? It won’t be picked up on their sensors. How do you think I avoided them for so many years?” Pietro asked, making Lavinia chuckle.

“Clever move, old man.” Lavinia commented.

“I got to this age somehow.” Pietro chuckled, leaning back in his mechanical chair. Lavinia turned when she heard the sound of incoming Black Gallows forces deploying from their fleet. They saw Wasps and Dropships descending from the hangars.

“Bingo.” Lavinia smirked. “Wait until they’ve deployed their wave of soldiers, then fly up there. They’re will be far less resistance waiting for you up there.” She ordered the Infiltration team.

Marrow, Vine and Fiona walked to the old Airship, and she turned to Pietro whose mechanical chair walked into the Airship where Dutch was waiting. “Keep an eye on things for us, okay?” Lavinia asked, and Dutch nodded.

It may not be where an outstanding soldier like him wanted to be…

… but it was where he was needed.

Lavinia walked to May, Joanna and the rest of the Vasillias Cartel as the Black Gallows deployed their forces on the battlefield. She turned to her forces, her eyes glowing and flaming blue as she spoke.

“Once we were just a Cartel of Criminals… preying on the weak and doing everything for money. But today? Today we have the chance to be remembered for doing something truly great! We can be remembered as the army who stood against the hand of tyranny and fought for a better future!” Lavinia cheered, making her soldiers cheer. “So together… we shall march… and we shall show the Black Gallows what happens when you mess with the Vasillias Cartel!”

 

Watts

 

Watts pressed his hands against the table, focusing on the matter at hand, but he could hear Adam ranting and raving in the background.

“Goddam it, where the hell is Salem? We should have expected them to attack. Why the hell did she and Killian send out that message?” Adam questioned, but Hazel sighing actually made Watts chuckle.

“Do you ever stop complaining?” He questioned.

“You wanna find out?” Adam barked at Hazel, drawing his sword at him, but Hazel didn’t even flinch. He just glared down at him, arms still crossed.

“Speaking of which… where the hell is Killian?” Icarus questioned, looking out the large windows of the Throne Room.

“He’s dead.” Watts answered, and that silenced them all.

“How the hell do you know that?” Hazel questioned.

“He hasn’t responded since the message and my forces reported a colossal explosion in the very area he was last seen. Someone attacked and must have killed him. I don’t know who, but they managed it.” Watts answered, simply using his intellect to figure that one out.

“Well, what the hell are we gonna do? The Black Gallows aren’t going to run efficiently without his command and my forces are falling apart after the people of Menagerie kicked them out. The entire world has gone into a frenzy.” Adam argued as he paced around.

But whilst this was happening… Watts just thought to himself…

This is it…

… the time for Salem to finally die and for me to take her place.

The secrets of the Relic of Knowledge will be mine… and I will not allow Salem to destroy this world for her petty vengeance.

He stood up and walked to the end of the room, seeing the attacking forces from the East and the West. He held his arms behind his back as he stared down at it all. Then he smirked. “Cardin Winchester… he escaped… he must have been the one to inform the Vasillias Cartel. They know that Neptune is alive, and the others… that’s going to drive their loved ones to find them.” Watts chuckled as he stood there.

“What are you thinking?” Hazel asked.

“We wait for them to come for us. The castle is going to be their target. Once they take it, then they have the landscape. So you will wait for them.” Watts said as he walked away.

“Us? What about you?” Adam questioned.

“Arc, with me. Together we shall locate Salem… and quell this once and for all. And Adam, find Tyrian and get his head in the game. He can stop playing with his toys now. He has some true fun coming soon.” Watts said as he smirked, walking with Jaune out of the room.

As he walked down the hall, he raised his hand and smirked, his ten rings glowing brighter as the Grave Dust swirled around him.

And Jaune’s eyes glowed bright purple.

He knew that tonight, this ends once and for all…

Chapter 44: Spinescorcher

Chapter Text

Blake

 

The battle had begun…

Grimm one by one sprinted across the black sand towards the Faunus and Humans who stood their ground. The Reformed White Fang aimed their rifles and other firearms forward whilst everyone else readied their weapons. The Grimm grew closer and closer, then they all opened fire on them.

The Huntsmen and Huntresses charged forward with the other warriors who held melee weapons.

Bullets fired overhead as she sprinted towards the Grimm, able to hear the sound of their approach. A Beowulf jumped towards her and swiped its claws, but she slid underneath it and threw Gambol Shroud, wrapping the ribbon around its throat and yanking it backwards. It staggered towards her and she slashed straight through its throat, killing it instantly as the head bounced across the floor. Her ear perked up, and it was like she could see the sound from how clear it was, as a Sabyr rushed towards her.

It jumped at her and opened its jaws wide to clamp down on her skull, only for her to spin around and drive the long sharp blade of her Katana through the roof of its mouth. The beast fell limp, and she kicked it from her blade. Blake transformed Gambol Shroud into its pistol form and she sprinted across the battlefield as soldiers fought around her. They fired their machine guns at the Grimm who lunged towards them, one of them knocking a man to the ground. He grunted in pain and crawled across the ground as the Beowulf opened its black jaws, drooling saliva everywhere.

Blake sensed his fear through his aura, and she sprinted behind it, slicing across its arm and jumping upwards, cutting clean through the middle. Blake landed, leaving a shadow to be hit by the fireball of a Manticore which landed before her. She flipped through the air, firing her pistol at the creature. It growled and roared as the bullet merely hit the armour plating, irritating it. The Manticore splayed its wings outwards before it jumped off the ground and flew directly towards Blake.

She slid across the floor, driving the blade of her sword upwards and cutting through the stomach. It crashed into the ground with significant force, only narrowly missing the soldier. Black blood was leaking from its slit gut, rage was in its burning eyes. It blasted another fireball at her but she rolled out of the way then threw Gambol Shroud forward, the hooked blade stabbed into the shoulder of the creature and she swung towards it, kicking it in the face with both feet, before flipping through the air and ramming the sword downwards, right through the eye socket.

The Manticore roared in pain before collapsing to the floor and dying from the fatal wound. Blake stood before the White Fang soldier and she helped him back up, and he swiftly shot at an Apathy which was about to screech at them, nailing it in the head. Blake smiled and patted the soldier on his shoulder. “Keep it up!” Blake said, before sprinting back into the fight, giving him the motivation he needed to keep fighting.

Yang clenched her fists as the Grimm charged toward her, and she cracked her neck to the side, before blasting off the ground and pulling her cybernetic arm all the way back. Yang roared with rage and punched through the skull of a Beowulf, killing it instantly as the shotgun fired through the head. Yang rolled across the black sand and jumped off the floor, upper-cutting an Ursa with one hard and perfect motion. The huge Ursine Grimm crashed across the ground, snarling viciously before it stood tall and sprinted towards her on all fours. It swiped its huge paw at her suddenly, but Yang caught the paw with her metal arm and twisted it, snapping the bone inside and pulling it downwards.

She punched it up the jaw and fired the gun built into her gauntlet, blowing the top of its head open, spraying Black Blood through the air. As the Ursa toppled onto her back, she rolled aside as a Creep charged behind her, jumping and smashing its head down into the ground where she was just stood. Yang punched it in the side of the face, then grabbed it by the tail and swung it over her head and smashed it against the rocks before tossing it effortlessly ahead.

Suddenly, the fist of a Beringel collided into Yang’s side. The enormous fist of the Grimm Ape sent her flying, causing her to tumble across the sand. She stared ahead at the beast as it pounded its fists against its chest, but she quickly realised this was similar to a variant she had seen before. It had spines of that purple crystal matter that covered the landscape here, just like the Yetis they fought in the Atlesian Wildlands.

“Well… hopefully you stay dead, unlike your snow cousins.” Yang chuckled, cocking Ember Celica and raising her fists. The Spiked Beringel roared, reaching to its back and ripping one of the large spines of crystal from its back, making it grunt from the vicious action. It suddenly launched the spike like a javelin at Yang, but she jumped and flipped through the air, narrowly avoiding the incoming spike. She charged at the Beringel and punched it across the face, before ducking underneath its fist as it swung at her in return.

The Beringel bellowed in hatred, smashing its fists down into the floor at Yang, but she rolled in the opposite direction, firing Ember Celica repeatedly at it. The Beringel hardly reacted as the shell fragments just sunk into the thick black flesh or bounced off the armour on its shoulders. The Beringel roared and sprinted on all fours at her, grabbing Yang by the chest and throwing her against the floor. Yang bounced off the sand but rolled aside as the creature buried its fist into the ground where her head was moments ago.

She shot back upwards, landing on her feet, and roundhouse kicking the creature across the jaw. She thrusted forward and slammed both fists into the Beringel’s ribs, crashing it against the wall. She threw three punches into its gut and ducked under its swing, catching the arm and combining both a punch and shot with her cybernetic arm, snapping the elbow of the beast. It roared in agony, then suddenly kicked her in the chest and it ripped another spike from its back and launched it at her.

Yang raised her hand, and she caught the spike, being pushed across the sand with it, before tossing it into the air and punching it, blasting the spike straight through the shoulder of the beast. The Beringel roared in fury as the spike pinned it against the wall, looking up as Yang blasted high in the air and dove towards it. She roared and punched it in the face so hard that the plates of bony armour broke off, and the spike which had pinned it to the wall remained, but ripped the broken arm clean off.

The Beringel howled in agony, but still continued to fight her, swinging its fist whilst large quantities of thick black blood oozed from its shoulder. Yang punched it in the arm and as it fell to the ground, she twisted around slammed her metal fist downwards into the beast’s face, burying it into the sand. Finally killing the beast, panting over its body as it crumbled away. She wiped the sweat from her brow and sprinted back into the fight.

Weiss stabbed Myrtenaster into the ground, creating protective barriers for the Reformed White Fang as a Sphinx landed and blasted a beam of fire from its jaws at them. The fire rippled around the Schnee Glyphs, but could not harm the brave soldiers who continued to fire on the beast. Its eyes glared at Weiss, who aimed her sword at it and absorbed the flames into her glyphs, shooting fireballs directly back at the Sphinx. They exploded into its body, making it recoil back, and she shot forward across her line of glyphs that she conjured. Weiss blasted up into the air and stabbed the ground, sprouting sharp spikes of ice into the front legs of the creature.

It roared in immense pain before its long serpentine tail lunged towards her, but she deflected the creature by slashing it across the face with Myrtenaster. The Sphinx jumped into the air, its large wings opening and it roared, blasting multiple fireballs towards her from above. Weiss sprinted as fast as she could, dodging and rolling away from incoming fireballs as it hailed them down on her. Bullets fired up towards the creature, making it recoil and turn its gaze to the warriors beneath it.

One of them aimed her rocket launcher at the creature and fired, only to miss as the Sphinx dashed to the left and suddenly crashed before them. The impact knocked the soldiers off their feet, and the long tail slithered down and bit into the torso of the soldier who fired that rocket. She screamed in agony as it shook her around and tossed her against one of the rocks. Weiss blasted past it from behind and slashed its heels, making the beast yelp and spin around.

It swung the tail at her, but she slid on her knees to avoid the enormous tail. The Sphinx opened its wings and flew into the air once more, blasting fire down at Weiss. She ran towards the flames, confusing the creature as she easily got out of its path. She formed a collection of glyphs and she jumped, bouncing off each of them before throwing herself up behind the wings. She yelled and thrusted her sword forward, freezing the wings solid with icy cold frost, and that caused the beast to come crashing down.

The wings shattered like glass, making the Sphinx screech in agony as it got back up. Weiss landed, and she sprinted at the creature, repeatedly stabbing it in the chest, before she jumped onto its shoulder and slashed across its jaw. The bottom jaw dangled from sinewy flesh but the tail rushed around the body of the Sphinx with jaws wide open, but Weiss rammed the pointed blade of her sword into the mouth. It silenced the tail, and now all she had to finish was the giant beast itself.

It tried to blast a fireball at her, but the amount of black blood pooling from its throat was immediately extinguishing the flames before they could escape it. She launched upwards from a large glyph and drove her sword through the beast’s throat, knocking it backwards and pushing the sword all the way through.

Weiss panted, both hands atop the sword. Then she turned to see that woman who was attacked was now dead.

I wasn’t fast enough… damn it…

Her eyes turned to the Lake of Tar behind their forces, noticing it was rippling, meaning that more were coming. “We’ve got company!” She yelled as loud as she could.

Nora and Ren both turned to see the Grimm clamber from the tar towards them, roaring viciously. The Norse Huntress spun Stormur Skeggox through her fingers and her eyes lit up pink as lightning coursed through her veins. She sprinted towards the beasts and effortlessly cut the head off the shoulders of an Apathy before it could screech. The Boarbatusk shrieked and shot forward. As she turned, she launched Magni into its head, breaking its roll and causing it to tumble onto its back, giving her a perfect shot with the axe. She drove the blade of Stormur Skeggox into its gut, killing the beast easily.

Ren charged across the rocky terrain. Weiss saw he was going for the jump, and she immediately cast glyphs for him to jump across. They formed, and he immediately ran across the glowing white signs, firing Stormflower down into the Grimm beneath him, and jumping towards a Cenitaur, driving the blades of Stormflower into its back. The monster roared with rage as it staggered around, slashing its arms around wildly as it tried to get him off. He fired into the flesh until it turned in its own exoskeleton, spitting searing hot venom at him.

He flipped away from the creature and landed, firing his pistols at it whilst the hands of Apathy reached up from the tar and grabbed onto his leg. “No!” Ren screamed as they tried to drag him into the pit. Nora turned, eyes wide, as she heard him scream.

“REN!” Nora yelled, before pulling a lightning dust crystal from her pocket and crushing it in her hand, lighting her scars and veins pink and covering her body in crackling electricity. She roared with rage, channelling all of that power into the tip of Stormur Skeggox’s axe, and fired a thick beam of pink energy forward. She yelled constantly, carving through the Grimm and cutting the Cenitaur clean in half. She sprinted past the disintegrating Grimm and held onto Ren’s hand as the Apathy pulled him towards the tar.

She pulled as hard as she could and got him free from their grasp. The Apathy emerged from the surface of the lake, and they shrieked, bringing soldiers to their knees. Nora pressed her hands against her head, and so did Ren. She turned to see an Apathy grab a soldier by the head and drag him across the floor, plunging its long claws into his eyes and mouth. He shrieked in indescribable agony until it crushed his brain.

More Apathy were emerging from the lake, shrieking to the sky alongside more and more Grimm. They were surrounded on all sides by Grimm, but Nora touched her pregnant bump and gritted her teeth. She stood up as the Apathy turned to face her, and she threw Stormur Skeggox, sending it spinning around her and beheading the Apathy that tried to break them. She looked ahead as she saw Weiss jumping high in the air, forming multiple glyphs and raining hellfire upon the Apathy to keep them back.

Nora helped Ren get back up, but they could see the tar rippling more and more.

Something big was about to come out of that tar.

Oscar sprinted across the battlefield, and he extended Thunderous Deception, and the long chained hammer shot high in the air and he swung it downwards, crushing the skull of a Beowulf underneath the head of the hammer. Black blood splattered across the sand and he spun the Long Memory through his fingers as more and more Grimm approached. He could feel the magical powers of Ozma flowing in his veins more than before, and he even could visualise spells he had never used.

Good old muscle memory from past lives… heh…

He closed his eyes as green magical energy coursed around his body as a pack of Beowulves sprinted towards him, and he held his hand out, shattering the dimension in front of him, and blasting shards of magical matter towards them, slicing the Grimm into ribbons. He looked at his hand and chuckled. “Whoa…” But he had to stop when he saw the crystals explode and a tornado of black smoke whipped up, forming into a massive Geist. The giant spectre snarled faintly as it levitated a chunk of purple crystal and wielded it like a blade.

“Ooooh shit…” Oscar gasped as the Geist stared down at him, and it immediately stabbed the ground where he was standing with the sharp crystal. The truck length crystal plunged deep into the ground, and the shock wave of the impact blew Oscar across the ground, and he used the chains of Thunderous Deception to wrap around one of the other crystals to stop himself from tumbling too far.

He swung around the crystal and used the momentum to throw himself towards the Geist. He swung the hammer downwards into one of its arms, smashing the arm to pieces. Oscar landed but suddenly was struck in the side by one of the chunks of rock being slingshot by the gravitational power of the Geist. He tumbled across the floor and immediately rolled aside as the Geist swung the crystal arm downwards towards him, tearing open the ground.

The ground broke apart around Oscar but he jumped across the collapsing chunks of rock as the Geist transformed into a cyclone of rock, crystal and smoke, flying over the collapsing ground as Grimm plummeted into the pit. Oscar leapt and rolled across the sand as the Geist slammed into the ground, reconstructing its form, the singular eye glowing as it stared down at him. Oscar spun the Long Memory through his fingers and he smashed through the arm again, breaking it apart, then he rushed forward and wrapped the chain around the crystal. It swung at him, but he jumped, riding the momentum as it threw him into the air.

He launched Thunderous Deception towards the head of the Geist, making it wrap around the face, and he yanked it from the body as hard as he could. The Geist flew out from its armoured body and howled, watching as the body collapsed to the ground behind it. The Geist attempted to flee but the chained hammer wrapped around its body and Oscar pulled it suddenly towards him.

It shrieked as he thrusted the Long Memory straight through its face, killing it instantly. He spun the cane through his fingers and smiled. “You’ve improved.” Ozpin complimented.

“Thanks.”

Across the battlefield, the Reformed White Fang battled together against the attacking Grimm with their brothers and sisters. Ilia rolled across the back of an Abductor as it blasted a bolt of black and red energy from its clawed hand. The ground exploded where the projectile landed before it slashed around at her, sinisterly snarling.

Ilia kept the creature in her sights, knowing that the second she would look away, it would erase itself from her memories. The Abductor lunged for her, but she slid underneath it and drove Lightning Lash through its back, electrocuting it from the inside out. It roared with agony as it burned through the flesh and bone. She then wrapped it around the creature’s throat and slammed the creepy Grimm against the ground so hard it finished it off. She rolled aside just as a Boarbatusk rolled towards her, landing in front of her. It scraped its hoof across the ground, grunting and growling at her before charging once again.

She jumped and kicked the pig in the side of the head before slashing her electrified whip across the side of its body, and slashed downwards, sending an arc of lightning against its body, cutting it clean in half. Beside her were Ghira, Kali, and Sienna, all fighting as one. Ghira roared as he grabbed another Abductor by the throat and slammed it against the ground so hard it paralysed the creature and he stamped on its skull. He rolled aside as a Centinel spat acid his way, but he charged towards it and grabbed it by the pincers, ripping them out and driving them up its head.

As it collapsed he growled savagely, claws extended from his fingers and he slashed a Beowulf across the face and punched through his stomach. Black blood covered his hand, and he finished the beast by digging his fingers into its shoulder and torso, and pulling it apart. Blood splattered over the side of his face as he stood there, gritting his teeth.

Kali jumped onto the back of an Ursa Major and drove both her blades into the throat of the beast, slicing away from each other and opening the neck wide. It choked in agony as it collapsed to the ground, allowing her to backflip away from the creature and land on both feet. She turned and threw one of her blades into the face of a Razor Wing, knocking it out of the sky. She rolled aside as the creature crashed into the sand nearby, cutting through the heel of a Beowulf and as it fell, she rammed the other through its eye socket, killing it instantly.

Sienna jumped overhead and launched multiple chain linked explosive blades towards the Grimm, impaling three of them. The explosives detonated, blowing the Grimm apart in a single attack. As she rolled across the ground, she slashed her whip across the body of an Ursa and rolled away, freezing it solid with ice blades she stabbed into its body. She yelled and launched another high explosive projectile into the frozen beast. It exploded, blasting large shards of frozen Ursa into other Grimm around it.

Sienna panted as she stood with the others, all of them looking around. Then their eyes turned to the Lake of Tar to see massive waves splashing against the shore as things were being birthed. “Damn it…” Sienna panted.

Suddenly, the black tar erupted into the sky as something was created, and the huge glowing red sail was the first thing they all saw. “Aw fuck…” Sienna gasped, eyes wide.

Yang and Blake turned with shocked eyes as the massive Grimm emerged from the tar, roaring savagely as it stood on its hind legs, with a long crocodilian snout filled with razor-sharp teeth and a long amphibious tail. It was shorter than a Leviathan, but just as dangerous because of its speed and versatility on land.

“Spinescorcher!” Sienna called out as she saw the monster roar viciously, shaking the tar from its body. But that was not all. They saw even bigger Grimm emerging as well, Leviathans included as they marched onto the shore, bellowing ferociously.

“Shit… we’ve got our work cut out for us…” Yang stammered.

Until suddenly they saw an airship fly overhead, and Eryka jumped out of it, firing Constantine Damascus into the side of its head. The explosive tipped arrow caused the Spinescorcher to stagger to the side, and Winter dropped from the Airship beside her. “Eryka!” Blake called out.

“WINTER!” Weiss screamed. Winter smiled and spun her sword through her fingers. The Leviathans roared with fury until a volley of explosive shells impacted against the side of them, getting their attention.

“This is the Vasillias Cartel. Looked like you needed some help down there. Sending reinforcements your way!” The Admiral of the Dreadnaught informed, and they saw the Airships descend towards their position.

“They can’t fire on the Spinescorcher… looks like it’s up to us.

Blake, Yang, Weiss, Oscar, Nora and Ren all ran to join Eryka and Winter against the Spinescorcher. The massive Therapod roared to the sky with fury as flames still trailed from its cheek after Eryka fired on it.

 

Eryka

 

The Spinescorcher attacked before they could even share words between them for their reunification. It lunged forward and bit down at where Eryka was standing, but she rolled aside. She aimed but expected to feel the presence of Dulcis… the wound was still fresh… and she didn’t know how to fight like she once could without him with her.

But she sprinted aside as the Spinescorcher stomped down at where Eryka was standing, and she snapped out of her depression and drew her bow, firing another arrow at the heavily armoured creature. Winter sprinted across the sand and she jumped, forming a glyph to throw her higher into the air and she conjured multiple more, blasting four beams of energy down at the creature. The beams pushed the Spinescorcher’s head against the ground, ripping up the sand, throwing it everywhere.

Yang bounced on her toes as the beast circled them until its eyes glowed red and they saw flames belch from its body. “The hell is it doing?” Yang questioned.

“It’s charging up!” Winter answered, the huge Grimm growled deeply as flames flowed through the body, causing the blood red sail to start flashing, and the pulses in the sail grew in intensity and speed as the flames burned across its body. Magma drooled from its teeth, and once it had fully charged its body up, pyroclastic ash spewed from its hips and sail like a volcano. It roared so loud that Blake had to cover her ears, and it charged towards Yang.

She rolled out of the way just in time as it dug its sharp three-toed foot into the ground to spin it around.

The Spinescorcher breathed deep and suddenly fired a powerful beam of fire from its jaws at them all, only narrowly missing most of them but hitting Nora, blowing her across the sand. She grunted pain as she slid through the black sand. Ren gritted his teeth and fired at the titan as it walked around. It suddenly spun around, swinging its heavy armoured tail at Ren, but he fired his grappling hooks, wrapping them around its tail and letting it fling him up into the air. He spun through the air and fired down upon the Spinescorcher, breaking off some plates of armour in the process before diving towards it.

He drove Stormflower into the side of its neck, the sudden stop almost pulling his arm out of his socket. The Spinescorcher roared with rage as it sensed the boy dangling from its neck and tried to bite at him. Ren fired into the throat as black blood splattered across his face, but a cloud of super-heated ash blasted from its neck and into his face, blowing him off its body. He crashed against the ground and the Spinescorcher reared back and drove its jaws down towards him.

It only missed him by an inch as it ripped soil from the ground and ran ahead of them, smashing the ground apart with every step it took. Blake charged ahead and swung herself towards its jaws. It roared and went to devour her, only to snap its jaws onto a shadow she projected, using explosive dust to create a powerful eruption of fire. The detonation made the Spinescorcher recoil away from it, breaking off more plates of armour in the process.

It hissed savagely as it scraped its claws across the ground before sprinting towards them again, and as it slid across the sand, it splashed into the tar. As it walked towards them, it roared with fury, smothered in the tar. It suddenly slammed its bottom jaw into the ground, dragging it through the soil as it charged at Weiss. She gasped, her blue eyes widening and having to dash out of its incoming path, jumping at the end to just narrowly miss it. It continued to charge, tearing the ground open with its teeth before ripping it up and spinning around.

Oscar jumped and threw his chain hammer forward, wrapping it around the jaws so tight to clamped them shut. He pulled down with all his might, slamming its head against the ground with substantial force. Yang blasted into the side of its head and punched with all her might, knocking it onto its side. Nora got back up and spun Stormur Skeggox through her fingers. She sprinted forward and Winter formed a glyph which blasted a powerful gust of air upwards. She jumped off it and held the axe in both hands, diving at it with a defiant scream.

She buried the axe into the neck of the beast, pyroclastic ash blasted from the wound and the eye of the beast glared at her with rage. “Damn it! It’s filled with that stuff! We gotta focus on it at range!” she yelled. The Spinescorcher suddenly got up and went to bite her in half, but Blake threw Gambol Shroud around her waist and pulled her away from it just in time. Nora tumbled across the ground as the Spinescorcher stood back up, and suddenly it channelled all the volcanic power it had charged up into its mouth and fired another beam at them all.

Nora rolled out of the way this time whilst Weiss and Winter both drove their swords down, creating a wall of energy to deflect it. The beam refracted off their wall of energy and burned across the side of a Leviathan’s body, making it roar in both pain and fury.

“Y’know it’s name is starting to make sense!” Yang joked, before loading fresh belts of explosive shells into Ember Celica and firing them towards the titan. They shrieked across the sky towards the monster as it paced back and forth, erupting into marvellous fire against its sail. It snarled and staggered to the side from that, and Nora fired her grenades from Stormur Skeggox’s Grenade Launcher form. They exploded with brilliant pink flames against its body.

It snarled and charged towards them, biting at Yang and swinging the tail towards Nora. She gasped and slid underneath it just in time. As the Spinescorcher turned, Nora launched Magni towards its face, creating a loud metallic bang upon impact and making it swing its head to the side as it smashed against the armour. The Spinescorcher hissed them turned to the rocks, devouring them.

Yang furrowed her brow in confusion. “It’s hungry?” Yang questioned, until they realised it was crushing the rocks in its mouth, and pyroclastic ash started venting from its furnace like body, melting the rocks into lava. It pulled its head downwards as the lava dripped from its teeth, and then it roared, throwing the lava into the air towards them. “SHIT!” Yang screamed, jumping away as the lava landed nearby.

Nora slid out of the path of the lava, turning to see Eryka sprinting towards the creature. The Spinescorcher’s sail rattled as it stared her down, and she saw the glow fade and the ash cease to vent. Meaning it needed to recharge the fire in its body again. She slid onto one knee and pulled Constantine Damascus back, aiming at the creature as it charged at her, then she fired a powerful arrow into the eye of the beast. It bellowed in immense pain as the explosive arrow fractured its eye socket, causing the monster to fall forward onto the ground, only narrowly missing Eryka when she rolled out of the way.

The huge sail sliced through the sand as it tumbled over, but it slashed its feet across the ash as it quickly tried to get back up. They took this chance to deal some damage, and Oscar jumped up in the air and swung his hammer downwards into its face, before smashing it across the arm with the Long Memory. Winter shot across its side, slashing through its soft stomach to spill black blood everywhere whilst Nora jumped and drove her axe into one of its arms, nearly cutting it off.

The Spinescorcher roared with berserk rage, kicking Oscar so hard his aura flickered, and he tumbled through the sand. It flipped back onto its feet, roaring so loud it blew them all away and made their ears ring. It turned and jumped towards the Lake of Tar, diving into it and disappearing. Silence fell for moments as they all stood together, with Eryka helping Oscar back to his feet.

“What game is this thing playing now?” Weiss mumbled, but Blake listened… feeling the vibrations from here.

“MOVE!” Blake yelled, and they all followed her as she jumped to the left. The Spinescorcher suddenly erupted from the lake, splattering the black tar across the sand and slamming down. It roared as the tar dripped from its body and stared at them, scraping its bulky tail through the sand. It then charged up once again. Flames and cracks split across its body and pyroclastic ash began blasting out from its injuries as the sail pulsed and glowed more and more.

“Damn it! It’s charging up again!” Winter yelled, Weiss suddenly drove Myrtenaster into the ground and closed her eyes. The large glyph formed on the ground as she started to summon her Arma Gigas.

“Keep it away from Weiss!” Nora yelled, and she charged up Stormur Skeggox and held it with both hands, firing her own beam back at the Spinescorcher. The beam burned across its face and she carved across its body and sail. The Spinescorcher snarled before it suddenly blasted a vast cloud of super-heated ash from its jaws at them. They all ran aside from the incoming cloud before it shook the tar from its body once again. Ren shot at the creature as he and Yang circled the beast. It stared at them as they continued, so it spun and swatted them like flies with its tail, smashing them all away from it.

Eryka slid across the ground, firing three arrows into its chest and another into its leg. The Spinescorcher roared and stamped at her repeatedly as she ran underneath it. She ran up the rock that protruded from the ground, and when she reached the end, she jumped off. She spun around and fired an arrow into its mouth, making it recoil away from her. It snarled angrily as it spat out the tooth and arrow in the process. It sprinted after her, shattering the rocks. She ran up and she only just rolled out of its way.

The Spinescorcher smashed one foot down, anchoring itself, before swinging its tail towards her again. Nora yelled and jumped for the tail, driving her axe into it and pinning it to the ground. The Grimm stared at her and breathed deep, channelling more volcanic energy into its jaws, before firing at her. Suddenly the Arma Gigas appeared behind it, grabbing onto the roof of its open jaws and pulling its head all the way back. It fired upwards, narrowly missing Nora and slicing through one of the spiring crystals.

The huge crystal came crashing down to the ground and Nora gasped as the Arma Gigas kept pulling it back, constantly firing its beam into the sky like the Relic, which was still slowly reconstructing the Moon.

The Arma Gigas released it and as the Spinescorcher turned around, it swung its fist extremely hard into the side of its head, causing its skull to smash against the sand, throwing large quantities of it into the air. The Spinescorcher roared and charged towards the huge knight, only for the Arma Gigas to form its sword and swing downwards against the side of its neck. It did not behead the beast, but slammed it against the ground. It tumbled through the sand but rolled back onto its feet.

Its tail flicked through the sand, then it turned to one of the crystals and bit onto it, ripping it from the ground and throwing it towards the Arma Gigas. The Knight sliced clean through it and charged at the beast as it rushed forward. It bit down into the Knight’s shoulder and dragged it across the ground, and tossed it up into the air. But the Arma Gigas suddenly blasted downwards and cut through the Sail, causing volcanic as and lava to erupt from its back.

The Spinescorcher howled in agony before smashing the Knight across the face with its tail. Nora fired multiple grenades into its back whilst Winter flew across the sky on a summoned Nevermore with Eryka riding on the back of it. She drew Constantine Damascus, firing at it repeatedly from above. It fired another beam of magma towards them, but the Nevermore dodged it as it burned across the sky.

The Arma Gigas drove its sword into the side of the Spinescorcher, making it bellow again, only for it to kick it onto the floor, and bite down onto the knight’s head, ripping it clean off. Weiss gasped, released from controlling the Arma Gigas, and knowing it was up to them now. Winter’s Nevermore swung its wings, firing Fatal Feathers towards the creature, slicing off plates of armour and cutting open the flesh.

They all charged the beast, firing everything they had at it, but the Spinescorcher drove its jaws into the ground, and they saw the fire and magma channel through the entire body and through the jaws. Suddenly, the ground exploded, blasting columns of lava into the air from beneath, raining molten rock all around them. The Spinescorcher stood tall as the raining lava had no effect on its body as it had evolved to be immune to such temperatures.

Nora rolled, and she threw Magni into its face again, knocking it so hard it had to spin around as it staggered, then she threw Stormur Skeggox at its face, and as it rebounded, channelled more lightning into it from the kinetic energy and threw it right back. The impact created a powerful explosion, staggering the beast once again. It snarled as black smoke and blood leaked from its many wounds, but like all Grimm, it never retreated.

It kept fighting until either it fell or its enemies did.

It channelled more fire into its jaws and blasted the beam, but it was far wilder than before, like it was losing control, swinging its head around like a berserk animal, destroying everything and anything around it. Yang rolled aside but was clipped by the beam. Blake rolled aside and caught Yang as she fell, then she nodded at her.

Yang’s hair ignited, and she gritted her teeth, sprinting towards the Spinescorcher and Blake threw her Gambol Shroud, and swung her around with all her might. Oscar extended Thunderous Deception and turned to Ren. “Ren!” He yelled.

“Done!” He knew what to do and sprinted towards the beast, sliding underneath it whilst it continued to destroy everything around it. He remained on the other side as Oscar fired his chain and it wrapped around its entire body. Ren caught the chained hammer and pulled away, tightening it and they both held on, using either the Long Memory or Stormflower to anchor themselves to the ground and hold it still.

Weiss and Winter both did the same, casting black glyphs to hold it in place, whilst Eryka dropped from the Nevermore to join the three who could take it down.

Yang sprinted at the monster with fire trailing from her hair, and the Spinescorcher bellowed at her. It snapped its jaws at her, but she punched it in the face so hard that the jaw snapped and it shrieked in pain. Blood spewed everywhere and Yang slammed both fists down against the top of its head, smashing it against the ground. Eryka was thrown high in the air by Nora and she drew Constantine Damascus back and fired another explosive arrow into its eye, blinding that one, whilst Nora sprinted and slashed through the right heel of the beast, dropping the leg, and drove the blade of her axe into the other.

As it fell forward, Yang punched upwards with all her might, blowing the head of the beast into the air. As Eryka dropped, Winter caught her on the Nevermore and tossed her back into the air again. And she lined up the shot with another explosive arrow, and she fired it right down its gullet.

The Nevermore caught Eryka, and they flew overhead as it detonated from the inside. The Spinescorcher unleashed one last howl of fury as the volcanic reserves detonated out of control. Massive explosions erupted from its body in multiple places as it roared alongside clouds of super-heated ash billowing from its jaws.

Its roars finally ended in a single blinding and deafening explosion, completely blowing the beast apart.

Yang panted, lowering her fists as her aura broke and she dropped to one knee. Blake rushed to her side and helped her up. “You okay?” Blake asked her.

“Yeah… just need to… get some aura back.” She panted, shaking her head. “That was one tough Grimm… didn’t go down without a fight, I’ll give it that.”

Eryka and Winter landed before them, and they all turned to their friends. Weiss finally ran to her sister and wrapped a warm hug around her. Winter fell to one knee and laughed with relief to see her little sister was still kicking since she last saw her at the Summit’s Claim. Nora rested Stormur Skeggox on her shoulder as she walked with Ren to the others, and Oscar rolled his shoulder, panting.

“You’ve been busy.” Yang joked to Eryka, but the Falconess didn’t say a word, just a small smile. They all looked at the sky to find him, then looked at Eryka. “Hey… where’s…”

Silence…

Eryka didn’t say a word, but the tears in her eyes said it all. “Oh… oh fuck no…” Yang sighed, pinching the bridge of her nose.

“Someone’s gonna pay… SOMEBODY’S GONNA FUCKING PAY!” Nora yelled with anger.

“He already has… Killian… he was the one who did it. When we hunted him down to kill him.” Winter explained.

“Killian’s… dead? You got him?” Weiss asked in disbelief.

“Yeah… we got him…” Winter assured, then looked at Eryka. “But… well… it was a hard fight… he nearly killed all of us.”

Eryka exhaled shakily, but wasn’t expecting Blake to wrap her arms around her in a warm hug. “I’m sorry.” Blake said to her, and Eryka closed her teary eyes and hugged her tight. Then she gasped and rubbed the tears away, stepping back from Blake.

“There’s… something you all need to know.” She began. They all looked at her, and Winter smiled at Weiss, standing up.

“What is it?” Yang asked.

“They’re alive.” She answered.

All of them stood there, looking confused.

“Uh… who?” Oscar asked.

“The people we thought we lost. Sun. Neptune. Scarlet, Sage. Team C.R.D.L… they’re all alive.” She told them, Weiss’ eyes widened, and she rushed to her.

“What? You’re sure?” Weiss stammered, her voice trembling.

Blake and Yang stood next to each other, and Yang closed her eyes. “Oh, fuck… Blake… I…”

Blake didn’t know what to say.

He’s alive…

Gods, what do I do with this? I thought he was dead… for six years… for six years…

“We found Cardin. He told us. He only just escaped this place, but they’re still here… but… from the state he was in when we found him… they’re gonna be in a bad way. They’re in Evernight.” Winter explained, pointing at the main castle they were fighting towards.

“Blake?” Eryka asked her, then she looked at Yang and quickly figured out what was going on, but before she could even ask, Blake nodded her head.

“We’re getting them back. I know it’s gonna be a trap. I know Adam is probably in there waiting for us… but we need to get them back.” Blake explained, and Yang nodded her head, stepping back.

Oscar nodded his head in agreement.

So did Nora and Ren.

They were in this together.

It was time to save what was lost…

 

Adam

 

He paced through the halls of Evernight, looking around. “Tyrian? TYRIAN!” Adam yelled at the top of his lungs. His voice echoed down the halls, then he turned when he heard his dark and creepy laugh echoing down the cells. Adam gulped and nervously walked down, one hand gripping onto Wilt and Blush.

He approached the cell, only to see Tyrian giggling on his knees with a mad smirk. “Tyrian? What’re you doing?” Adam questioned.

Adam could not look into the darkness of the cell, but he knew it was their cell. “Tyrian, we need to prepare. We’re under attack.” Adam grabbed him but Tyrian’s blood covered Cybernetic Tail suddenly wrapped around his throat. It was only now that Adam saw Tyrian Callows was smothered in blood. “W-What did you do?” He stammered, eyes wide.

“I know that they’re coming… so I have prepared a little something for them… and when they come? We’ll be ready…” Tyrian laughed, eyes glowing purple.

Chapter 45: The Battle of Evernight

Chapter Text

Lavinia

 

Gunfire and explosions roared across the dunes of black sand…

The Vasillias Cartel deployed everything they had in their position, mainly stolen Atlesian Equipment or bought off the many black markets. Hover Tanks dropped from the Dropships that flew down from the Dreadnaughts, which battled against the Shadow of Broken Promises and the rest of the vaster Black Gallows fleet up above. Massive cannons built into the broadsides of the ships fired constantly like the ships of old, massive explosions ruptured across the hull, coated with a powerful layer of Hardlight Shielding.

The Hover Tanks floated across the ground, using a powerful charge of Gravity Dust to keep the vehicle afloat, firing its massive, powerful cannon across the battlefield towards the Raven Talons, who were entrenched ahead with superior cover and firepower. The soldiers in black mounted huge turrets, charging up with reserves of Dust, firing focused beams of energy across the battlefield at the hired mercenaries. The beams cut clean through the crystals and even some of the Vasillias Soldiers, killing them instantly.

Ebony Sabres emerged from the enemy side as well, firing the machine guns they had built into their arms and shooting missiles from their shoulders. Vasillias soldiers rolled aside as incoming firepower was launched their way, but the mercs had toys of their own. As their reinforcements continued to roll in, they also deployed their Paladins from the Dreadnaughts, crashing down from the sky and shattering the rocks they landed upon.

Bullets shot back and forth across the terrain as they used whatever cover they could find, soldiers ducking down behind the large, glowing purple crystals. Luckily, this area had no sign of Tar Pits, unlike what the White Fang were up against, but the Black Gallows had already prepared this side of Evernight to suit Human Conflict.

Amidst the battle, Lavinia Vasillias ignited her eyes and floated into the sky with her hands open. A storm of swirling ice crystals surrounded her as her blue irises shone brighter. She stared down the Black Gallows, who continued to fire, examining what they were up against. It was tough, even for a Fully Realised Winter Maiden to battle against, but luckily she had an army tough enough to match her foes.

She blasted down towards the Black Gallows, slamming her fist into the ground and creating an enormous explosion of ice and lightning. The blast killed an entire squad of Raven Talons, shattering their armour and throwing them across the ground, leaving their smoking bodies on the ground. She swiftly ducked down as a Shadow Dagger suddenly lunged towards her, slashing her blades at the Winter Maiden. Lavinia formed a pair of ice swords, deflecting the incoming metal blades, and scraping down them. She swung upwards, cutting over the armour and slicing through the red visor.

The Shadow Dagger stumbled backwards, but she flew towards her and grabbed the soldier by the helmet and smashed her head against the floor with significant force, killing her with the blunt trauma. Bullets fired towards her now, making Lavinia dash to the side to take cover, turning to see her forces advancing. Multiple Mercenaries screamed in pain as they were killed by the incoming bullets, but the Hover Tank and Paladin proceeded, firing heavy weapons into the soldiers, blowing their line apart.

Up above, Onyx Consul Marksman fired down upon the Vasillias Mercenaries, precisely aimed bullets shot from above and nailed the soldiers in the head, killing them one at a time. “Marksman! Up above!” A soldier yelled as he took cover behind the hover tank. Lavinia took off, and she spotted the sniper towers the Black Gallows had set up, and she held out her hands, closing her eyes, then they opened.

A massive stormy cloud swirled above the Onyx Consuls and she suddenly brought down a massive tornado upon them. It slammed into the tower, ripping it apart and flinging pieces of debris across the Black Gallows’ base. She remained on her side, waiting for the perfect opportunity to attack them. But as she descended, another Black Gallows Wasp flew overhead, deploying soldiers before them.

The Black Gallows swiftly killed her mercenaries, beating them and killing them with either firearms of blades. One kicked a mercenary in the chest before smashing them in the face with the stock of the rifle, knocking them on the floor. The Raven Talon stamped on their throat and fired the gun into the face of the soldier a couple of times, before moving forward.

Suddenly a Crossbow Spear was launched straight through the torso of the soldier, bringing him to one knee. May sprinted towards that dying Raven Talon and jumped on their chest, ripping the weapon from the mercenary’s chest, blood spraying outwards. The blood splattered across the sand and she vanished as the squad of Talons fired at her. They looked around, trying to spot the Huntress, but she appeared behind them, roundhouse kicking one to the ground, before firing a bolt into the eye of the other. The Raven Talon roared in agony as the bolt went straight through his eye and eventually succumbed to the fatal injury.

One of the Raven Talons fired her grenade launcher at May, but she rolled across the ground, throwing her Staff towards the soldier. When she went invisible once again, he lost her. He looked around, only for May to suddenly jump and wrap her legs around his neck, twisting around and slamming him against the floor. He grunted in pain and she effortlessly got back on her feet, grabbing her weapon and yanking it from the rock it stabbed itself into.

May jumped into the air and drove it down his spine, killing him instantly and twisting it for good measure. May looked ahead to see the Black Gallows advancing further, firing machine guns in her direction. Lavinia slammed down in front of her, raising her hand to form a wall of thick ice, deflecting the bullets from hitting her. She rolled to the rocks to keep her head down, just in time as well, for a Black Gallows Hover-Tank fired and smashed the glass apart with the cannon.

Lavinia slid across the sand and she looked around, then her eyes darted up to the Shadow of Broken Promises when she heard the repetitive sound of something firing. It wasn’t the broadsides, thankfully, but it was still dangerous. “Incoming Trojan Pods!” Marrow yelled as he rolled to cover, staying back as planned with Vine and Fiona for when the Shadow of Broken Promises stopped deploying forces onto the ground to fight them off.

The Trojan Pods shot downwards, crashing into the ground and blowing black sand everywhere in their impact. The pods were thick and black, made of metal with very little detail, until the walls burst off and Trojan M.E.C.Hs emerged, armed to the teeth and walking towards them, with stiff jagged movements.

“Threat Detected. Terminate Interlopers.” The Trojans coldly spoke in mechanical tones. The Trojans marched forward, firing their machine guns at the Vasillias Soldiers, not even recoiling as bullets collided into their heavily armoured mechanical bodies. Joanna rolled aside as a Trojan sprinted towards her, jumping into the air and extending a long energy blade from its arm and stabbing down into the ground where she was just stood.

She rested her Crossbow Staff across her shoulders and fired at the Trojan, in which the bolt just snapped against its body. She knew that her projectiles would have little to no effect against them, so she cracked her neck and sprinted towards the machine. She ducked underneath it as it swung the rifle at her head with one hand, then she punched it in the face with all her might. She felt a pang of pain burst through her arm, but the impact still staggered the machine, but it grabbed her and smashed its head into her face, knocking her across the ground.

“Damn it, upgraded your little robots, huh?” Joanna scoffed, cracking her neck again. The Trojan channelled energy through its endoskeleton and it’s chest opened up, revealing a cyclonic core, firing a beam of circulated energy towards her. She sprinted and slid down the dune as it cleanly sliced through one of the crystals.

As she landed on the other side she saw a Cartel Truck roaring towards the Trojan, firing the machine gun at it, and only them did she see they were also fitted with Hardlight Shields around the body, completely deflecting the bullets flying their way. The truck roared forward to ram it, but the Trojan thrusted its metal fists forward, smashing straight through the bonnet and engine, stopping the car dead.

The driver was thrown through the windshield and became impaled on a crystal spike, whilst the gunner was launched off and tumbled across the ground to the feet of another Trojan. It stamped down on his screaming face before he could get up, crushing his skull and splattering blood and brain matter everywhere, leaving a twitching corpse behind. Lavinia stared at them and clenched her fist, rolling out from cover and flinging a lightning bolt towards the one that Joanna fought. The impact blew the Trojan away, sending it crashing through the rocks and down the side of the dune.

It slid across the ground but blasted back up towards the Winter Maiden, grabbing her by the throat. The Trojans were much faster than they initially let on, and it spun around in the air and threw Lavinia towards the ground. But as she fell, the Winter Maiden blasted back up towards the Trojan and channelled a massive amount of magical power in front of her, blasting it into the machine. The impact fractured the shields, blowing it out of the air and crashing down into the sand.

Lavinia landed, and she formed a pair of long ice spears, throwing one of them towards Trojan as it emerged from the black sand. It swung its arm and batted it aside, sending it crashing into the ground with a hard impact. The Trojan channelled more energy across its arm and blasted an arc of electricity towards her, but she countered by rolling aside and slamming both fists into the ground and shooting fire downwards.

Spikes of black glass burst from the ground, and one of them impaled through the leg of the Trojan to keep it still. Lavinia flew towards it and formed a pair of ice axes and she went for its face, forming a blizzard around her and the machine, slashing across ways, beheading the machine. She landed behind it, completely shocked when she felt the same Trojan grab her by her black and blue hair and throw her against the rocks.

She looked up to see the beheaded Trojan stamping at her, only narrowly missing. “The fuck?” She stammered, realising the head was not the weakness, but it was that cyclonic core it had in its chest. She formed a pair of swords and sprinted towards it, stabbing one into the ground, increasing the intensity of the surrounding blizzard, forming large spikes of ice across the ground. The Trojan stood still as the icicles formed, extending in the direction of the raging aspen winds. The Trojan suddenly charged its chest up and the plates opened, and just as it fired, Lavinia took her opportunity.

She blasted towards it at full speed, ramming the sword straight through the core. She launched away from it as it cracked and eroded, going critical before exploding in a massive array of lightning and fire. She ended the blizzard and raised her finger to the comm link in her ear, speaking to all of her forces. “Aim for the chests of the Trojans. They will keep coming at you without their heads. Shoot them in the chest with everything you’ve got when they’re about to fire that laser!” Lavinia advised, now knowing what its weakness was.

She flew back to the others, seeing Joanna punching a Raven Talon into the ground, and rolling aside when another shot an Electrified Restraint Cable towards her, only narrowly missing. As she rolled across the sand, she grabbed the rifle of a dead soldier and shot him in the chest until he was dead, dropping it and rushing to her spear. She ripped it from where she stabbed it in the ground, and slid underneath the incoming missiles, slashing the blades of her Crossbow Staff across the leg of one soldier, before throwing it into the ribs of another, killing him instantly.

A Shadow Dagger sprinted towards her, but Joanna caught the soldier by the throat and threw her against the ground with intense force, so hard the armour broke off, and she stamped on her back, grabbing her by the head and snapping her neck. Joanna panted, wiping the sweat from her brow and looking up at the Black Gallows fleet, and her eyes widened.

The Airships were no longer being sent from the Dreadnaughts, no longer sending reinforcements, at least for now. “This is the best chance you’re gonna get!” Joanna called out.

Lavinia turned to Fiona, Marrow and Vine. “Go! Get in the Bullhead and get aboard the Shadow of Broken Promises! Link Dutch to where you are and he’ll get you where you need to go with Pietro’s help!” Lavinia ordered. Marrow nodded and the three of them got into Pietro’s Retro Bullhead.

The thrusters roared to life, and it took off, blasting up towards the massive black Dreadnaught. Lavinia patched herself in to her entire army, staring at what they were up against. “All forces – we know what to do. We need to keep the Black Gallows’ attention focused on us so our Infiltration Team can upload the Black Queen. Once that’s done, then the Black Gallows are finished! We just have to hold the line!” Lavinia yelled.

“Let’s hang the bastards!” Joanna roared with May beside her.

Lavinia’s eyes ignited, and she walked forward, continuing to battle against the Gallows.

If this goes according to plan… then the Black Gallows will finally be destroyed once and for all…

… tonight…

 

Ruby

 

Salem threw Ruby into the wall of rock behind her, staring at the attacking armies surrounding Evernight. She narrowed her red eyes in anger at seeing so much unity. “What’s the matter? Shocked? That the world actually isn’t as divided as you thought? That people are better than you thinking they are?” Ruby questioned as she pulled herself from the rocks, staring Salem down, Black Thorn tightly in her grasp.

Salem exhaled calmly, turning with burning red flames bleeding through her eyes. “It is impressive… but meaningless, nonetheless. Nothing you have accomplished will mean a thing… not after tonight.” Salem warned.

“Not if we stop you first.” Ruby replied, immediately blasting her Silver Eyes at Salem. The Dark Queen blasted towards her, dodging the beam of White Light and grabbing Ruby by the face. Salem snarled with anger as she felt the white light scorching her palm as she smashed the girl’s head against the wall repeatedly, before throwing her into the air. Salem flew after her and punched her in the face, then she extended her arm, which held Ruby by the throat and flung her towards one of the crystal spires to impale her.

Penny suddenly flew towards Ruby, catching her and saving her from a grizzly fate. Salem snarled with frustration, but Cinder suddenly flew into her side, ramming her Obsidian Axe into Salem’s neck and smashing her into the ground. Thick black blood oozed from the open wound, leaking from her mouth as well, nearly cutting Salem’s head clean off. Cinder kept pushing to finish the job, but Salem kicked Cinder in the crotch to get her off, then grabbed the axe and threw it back at her.

The axe exploded in a fiery array of light, blowing Cinder across the floor. The Fall Maiden wheezed in pain, grabbing her chest as she felt the Noctis Putrida continue to eat away at her. She coughed up blood but fought back, snarling as her eye ignited once again, glowing brighter. That drive to fight, to take down her enemy, the very same drive Salem admired and fed, was all that kept Cinder from collapsing from her sickness now.

Salem stood back up and grabbed her head, which was off centre because of the wound, and she pushed it back into position, letting the tar reconstruct her neck. Salem scowled at Cinder, then she formed a massive cloud of red lightning behind her, blasting them all towards Cinder. The Fall Maiden raised her hands, constructing a wall of ice which blocked the impact and blasted a pair of beams of fire towards Salem, pushing her across the ground. Salem sprouted one wing from her shoulder and it took the fire damage for her, and she stared Cinder down through the mirage created by the heat.

Salem opened her palm, summoning her sword back into her hand, and she suddenly flew towards Cinder and roared with substantial force. Pyrrha suddenly appeared in front of her, after sprinting to get there in time, and raised her hands. The massive sword stopped in front of Pyrrha’s face, surrounded by black energy as she used her polarity. Salem gritted her teeth with fury as she pushed as hard as she could, then she saw the God of Darkness’ power channel through the Spartan once more, and her semblance increased in power, and she forced the sword back up, slicing the blade across Salem’s face.

Salem grunted, staggering back, then spinning on the spot as she slashed it towards her throat, but Pyrrha dropped and slid across the floor, narrowly avoiding the incoming attack. She jumped and Cinder caught her and threw her towards Salem with great speed. Pyrrha rammed both swords into Salem’s chest, slamming her against the ground. Pyrrha stabbed Ira Red straight through Salem’s eye and she roared with pain and rage, punching Pyrrha in the chest so hard it sent her flying and tumbling across the ground.

Pyrrha panted, looking at Salem as she got back up. Cinder blasted more fire at Salem, but she blasted another bolt at her as she flew past, sending the Fall Maiden crashing into the ground. “We cannot resist the call for much longer!” The Brother of Darkness sounded like he was panicking, and the fact that they were close to being called back was just making matters even more desperate.

“We need to get one of the Relics!” Pyrrha yelled, rolling aside as Salem ripped Ira Red from her eye and launched it at her. She used her polarity to call it back and slingshot it past her, throwing the sword into Salem’s chest. She grunted as it knocked her back onto the ground again.

Penny flew overhead, and she flung Ruby towards it, only for Salem to rip a boulder from the sand with her telekinesis and throw it towards her. The boulder exploded against the Silver Eyed Warrior, tossing her away from the beam which carved across the sky, slowly reconstructing the moon.

Penny circled above Salem as she got back onto her feet, ripping the sword from her chest and throwing it on the ground. Penny slashed Floating Array across Salem’s body relentlessly, painting the black sand in Salem’s blood, and kicking her in the face with the thruster fire from her boot. Salem grunted as it scorched her face, then turned, stretching her arms forward to grab Penny by the shoulders. The Android gasped, green eyes widening, and Salem yanked her forward and smashed her armoured knee against Penny’s cheek.

Penny fell to the floor, dazed from the sudden blunt shock, then Salem grabbed her by her long orange hair and pulled her off the floor, punching her in the chest extremely hard. She flew into the wall and Salem walked towards her, punching Penny three times in the face, before pulling her sword towards her and, once in her clasp, driving it towards her chest. Penny gasped, knowing it would kill her, but Pyrrha drove both swords into Salem’s neck and pulled her away from Penny.

Salem roared as she reached back for her, unable to reach the Spartan, whose blades slowly sank deeper and deeper into Salem’s neck, spilling black blood all over her body. She twisted them until Salem’s arms snapped and so did her legs. Her entire body started crunching and turning around inside her own skin. Salem’s head slowly rotated around, bones cracking as she faced Pyrrha now, grabbing her by the head with both hands and smashing her against the floor. Her body continued to reconstruct in its new position, making sickening crunching and snapping sounds. Pyrrha struggled to get back up, but Cinder suddenly rammed an Obsidian Replica of Milo straight through Salem’s back, lifting her off the ground, roaring with fury.

She swung around and launched Salem down the dunes, and the Dark Queen slammed her fist into the ground, and once grabbing onto a chunk of hard rock, she ripped it from the sand and swung around, throwing it at the Fall Maiden. Cinder flew towards it, forming two Obsidian Falchions and slashing through the middle, continuing past the divided rocks and driving both swords into Salem’s chest, blowing them up and breaking her chest open.

Salem’s torso bent all the way back with black blood squirting out. “Go! We have time!” She yelled at Penny, who sprinted to the Relics with Ruby whilst Salem quickly reconstructed her body again. Ruby reached out for the Relic of Knowledge, but the temperature of that beam was so hot she couldn’t even get near it.

“Argh!” she yelped in pain.

She looked at her hand and frowned. “Penny, wait!” Ruby begged, but Penny knew they didn’t have time, and she forced her hand into the beam anyway. Penny shrieked in immense pain as the artificial flesh of her fingers burnt away, but she pushed through anyway, getting closer and closer to any of the rotating Relics. She screamed and cried out, with Ruby holding onto her. All the flesh was gone now, only the titanium endoskeleton beneath, and the grey metal was glowing orange from the heat as well. She reached out, sparks flying from her arm as she got closer and closer.

Finally, her hand grabbed the lamp. “I GOT IT!” she screamed. Ruby blasted away, using her Petal Dash to yank Penny away, and they both tumbled across the floor. Penny panted, whimpering from how much it hurt as smoke trailed from her hand, and the relic was searing hot.

“You did it!” Ruby praised, kissing her lovingly on the lips.

“We… we need to know how to stop the Relic of Creation.” She panted. Ruby nodded.

“JINN!” she yelled, and time stopped around the two of them. In the background, Salem was now fully reconstructed, deflecting Pyrrha’s swords with hers and blasting a beam of red lightning at Cinder, who flew above her.

“Hello again, my protector… I am glad to see you’re still fighting.” Jinn greeted with a smile.

“Jinn… we need to know how to stop the Relic. We’ve stopped the Gods from being called back, but Creation is gonna start another Eclipse. The Grimm will be unstoppable… how do we stop it?” She asked with a panting breath.

Jinn turned her gaze to the Relic of Destruction. “The very weapon that must be used to kill a god… only the Relic of Destruction can destroy another Relic… but the consequences of this… is something I do not know. Without Creation to aid mankind… your future will be unclear.” Jinn explained. Ruby looked at Penny and sighed.

“If we destroy it… will the world be destroyed, too?” She asked.

“No, but mankind will never benefit from the powers of the Relic.” She answered.

“Then we have no choice… because if we don’t, then the future is very clear and it won’t be a pretty one.” Ruby stated, which made Jinn smile proudly.

“And that is why I always trusted you, Ruby Rose. Willing to make the hard calls to protect humanity…” Jinn stated with pride.

Time resumed as Jinn returned inside of the Lamp, and Ruby quickly reattached the Relic to her hip, wincing as she felt it burn her fingers for the moments she held it. “Are you okay?” Ruby asked her girlfriend.

“Yes.” she answered with a sweet smile.

They both stood together and turned to Salem, watching as she kicked Pyrrha into one of the Crystals and extended her arm, grabbing Cinder by the foot and slamming her against the ground. The two readied their weapons and charged towards her.

Unaware that Watts was descending behind them with a massive cloud of Grave Dust, but his eyes were focused on Salem, and he smirked.

Ready to make his move.

 

Blake

 

Blake, Weiss, Yang, Oscar, Nora, Ren, Eryka and Winter sprinted across Salem’s Sanctum towards Evernight, and Grimm constantly charged towards them from the Tar Pits. All around them monsters were spawning, and behind them in the massive battlefield, Leviathans were being unleashed, but being fought off by the Air Force they had with them, mainly from the Vasillias Cartel.

They got closer and closer to the base of the castle, seeing the entrance from here, but Grimm emerged and descended. A Sphinx slammed down, roaring at them and blasting fire from its jaws. But they didn’t slow down. In fact, Nora immediately responded to the beast by launching Stormur Skeggox towards its face. The axe lodged in its skull, causing the beast to stagger back, but because of its armour plating, it did not lodge deep enough in the head to kill the monster. The dazed creature snarled with anger, then Nora activated her gauntlet, calling the weapon back into her palm, catching it and spinning it through her fingers, channelling the kinetic energy into the blade, jumping and slamming it into the ground.

The impact killed the Creeps that were buried beneath the sand, just waiting to strike. The explosion of pink lightning scorched across their bodies, killing them instantly. Ren ran past her and slid across the sand, shooting upwards into the gut of the Spinx, making it screech in pain, then the snake-headed tail of the beast lunged towards him, but he slashed Stormflower’s blade across its mouth. He shot the grappling hook upwards and swung around the beast, kicking it in the side of the head with both feet.

As it staggered, Weiss formed a massive spike of ice that erupted from her glyph, puncturing through the neck and killing it. More and More Grimm continued to attack all around them, stopping them from crossing into the entrance of Evernight. Yang cracked her neck and pumped her shotguns before sprinting towards the pack of Beowulves and Ursai. She fired a shell into the leg of a Beowulf, dropping it to one knee, and she jumped off a rock and smashed her metal fist into the side of its head, killing it, before rolling out of the way of the huge Ursa that jumped at her, smashing the ground where she was standing. It tore through the sand, roaring, only for Oscar to slam Thunderous Deception against the top of its head, killing it instantly with the blunt force.

Yang didn’t look back, firing a missile into the chest of another Beowulf, blowing it to pieces, then rushing the Ursa Major. It roared, taking a swipe at her, but she punched the hand aside, breaking its pose and she relentlessly punched it in the chest, planting remotely detonated bombs in its chest, before flipping backwards and blowing them up.

Yang smirked, turning to Blake who slashed through the body of an Apathy that was about to shriek at her, and the black-haired beauty smiled back at her, Yang smirked back and fired another shell into the skull of an Apathy. They quickly realised that the Domain was spawning more and more Apathy to stop them, so they quickly aimed for them. Blake shot and hit another in the head, and they were slowly forming again and again from the tar pits.

Eryka sprinted across the sand, jumping and firing three Arrows downwards, nailing three of the Apathy and rolling across the sand. A Sabyr lunged towards her from the side but she swung around and punched it in the side of the face, stamping on its neck and drawing her Short Sword, stabbing it through the eye. She reached to her quiver and pulled an ice arrow, firing it and freezing the Ursa solid, allowing Oscar to launch forward and smash it to smithereens with his chained hammer.

He rolled across the ground and slammed the Long Memory against the ground, casting another spell, absorbing the damage of an incoming fireball from a Manticore which landed ahead of him. He channelled that energy into the staff and it shone gold inside the cogs. His eyes glowed green, and he darted forward with great speed, smashing the staff into it, creating a powerful blast of energy which killed the Manticore instantly, and also ending some of the spawning Apathy, completely vaporising them.

Winter slid across the dunes, slashing the Apathy across the throat one by one with very little effort, until a Nuckelavee suddenly erupted from a larger Tar Pit. The beast roared as it reared back and slammed its hooves against the sand in front of her. She rolled backwards and landed on one of her glyphs, shooting off it and slashing across the side of the creature. The Imp of the Nuckelavee lunged its arm towards her, slamming the ground where she just was, then Winter floated into the air atop an elevated glyph. Then she pointed her sword at it.

She summoned a flock of small Nevermores which pecked and slashed at the creature, confusing it, and allowing her to cut straight through the neck of the young Nuckelavee, killing the Imp instantly. The Horse roared with fury and snapped its jaws at her, but she spun and cut across the mouth, causing the bottom jaw to dangle from flesh. It groaned in pain, then she launched towards it and slid underneath it, raising the blade of the sword and cutting it open, spilling black blood everywhere.

The Nuckelavee collapsed and crumbled away, allowing the Specialist to stand tall with a smirk.

Blake flipped backwards, letting a shadow take the hit from a King Taijitu which launched towards her, trying to devour her whole. It slithered across the sand and coiled up, both heads hissing at her, before it shot towards her once again, snapping the fangs at her, but she rolled aside and jumped onto one of the heads.

She rammed the blade into the roof of its skull, killing the first head, before igniting a shadow with fire dust and detonating it, completely beheading the other half of the creature. The secondary head of the Taijitu snarled in pain, but still lunged for its foe, narrowly missing her, then Weiss shot past it, slashing through the throat. It wheezed in pain as black blood spewed from its neck, all over the ground, and as its head dropped towards her, she twirled on the spot and rammed Myrtenaster upwards through the head of the creature.

Weiss turned to see more and more Apathy approaching, groaning and slowly infecting their minds with whispers. She raised her sword and formed multiple glyphs, shooting crystals of ice towards the pack, slaughtering them all. But she kept seeing more and more emerging all around them, far too many to keep up with.

The creatures were slowly surrounding them, and finally they all screamed, bringing them all to one knee. They all grew closer and closer as they were about to slaughter them.

Until a bullet shot through the head of a beast.

The Apathy turned as more reinforcements arrived at the Sanctum, but from people they hadn’t expected.

Li Ren suddenly shot forward, smashing through the heads of three Apathy with his staff, and his massive Altum Eagle Harmony Gives Humble Mind flew overhead, swinging her feathers downwards towards the Apathy like a Nevermore, launching fatal feathers of its own into the Grimm, ripping them apart.

Eryka’s eyes widened, and a smile grew on her face, seeing the Summit’s Claim and all their warriors return with their powerful trained Altum Eagles. They all flew towards the Apathy and the Archers fired their Elemental Arrows, forming a flock of burning Phoenixes just like Dulcis enjoyed doing, scorching the Apathy into embers, leaving nothing behind.

But it also hurt to see them again, reminding her of her lost friend.

Vernal roared with Sashaa as they jumped from the airship they arrived in, and many other Airships arrived as well, deploying more Warriors upon the Grimm, clearing them out. Vernal slashed Wind and Fire across the body of an Ursa, jumping and flipping backwards, firing a pair of beams from the barrels towards the creature, killing it instantly. Sashaa rolled and fired her rifle into the head of the last remaining Apathy, standing tall on her prosthetic legs.

“Glad to see we made it.” Sashaa joked.

Vernal spotted Oscar and sprinted to him, wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug. “Thank the gods you’re still alive, dumbass.”

“Heh, same goes for you, asshole.” Oscar chuckled.

“Where’s Cinder?” She asked.

“She’s here somewhere with Ruby, Penny, and Pyrrha. Probably fighting Salem is my guess.” Oscar answered.

Li saw Ren and Nora and approached, hugging them warmly, relieved to see that they were okay. “We saw Killian’s threat… we couldn’t stand by.” He explained.

“Especially not after Amber was kidnapped.” Vernal stated.

“Amber… shit… I don’t know where she is.” Oscar stated.

“She’s okay. We found Emerald and Mercury escorting her out of here.” Vernal assured.

“They’re safe?” Oscar asked.

“Yes, we have a camp nearby where our non-combatants are securing.” Sashaa assured. “Time to stop sitting by and doing nothing.”

Yang chuckled with a smile, then Li turned to Eryka with a smile, but her aura looked darker than usual, and he could tell there was pain. “Eryka? Are you okay? Where’s…” He stopped, because he realised he answered his own question. He bowed his head and stabbed his staff into the ground, walking to her and wrapping his arms around her in an affectionate hug. “I’m so sorry, my dear.”

“I don’t know what to do without him…” she said to her mentor.

He held her shoulders and smiled. “He’s still with you… in here.” He promised, pressing his hand against her heart. Eryka smiled and nodded, then she turned to Evernight.

“Weiss?” a familiar voice shocked them. They all turned to see who else they brought with them. Everyone gasped, bar Oscar, since he did not know who they were.

Coco Adel, Fox Alistair and Velvet Scarlatina…

After losing Yatsuhashi to Jackdaw and the Inhumane Necessity, their status was completely unknown. “Guys!” Yang gasped and immediately giving Coco a warm hug, and Blake did the same for Velvet whilst Weiss did the same for Fox. “You’re… you’re all okay…” Yang chuckled.

“Barely been having to stay on the move for the past six years. We ended up at the Summit’s Claim a few days ago… then all this happened. We had no idea all of you were part of the Claim until Killian’s message.” Coco explained.

“Him being his dad didn’t tip you off?” Oscar asked, gesturing to Li.

“YOU’RE REN’S DAD?” Velvet yelped with shock, making Eryka smile and chuckle.

“It’s… a long story.” Ren chuckled.

“Well, you can tell us all about it when this shit show is over. Been waiting for that pale-skinned bitch to get what she deserves for a long time.” Fox stated with a growl.

“Well… part of why we’re here… is because of who’s in there.” Winter explained, pointing with her sword at the castle. Eryka turned to Li with a smile.

“My brother… he’s alive… all of them are.” She revealed to all of them.

“What?” Li gasped.

“We found Cardin Winchester.” Blake explained. Velvet gasped in disbelief.

“They’re alive too?” Velvet asked.

“Yeah… sounds like they’ve been prisoners for Tyrian ever since Beacon fell. We’re gonna get them back.” Weiss explained, tightening her grip on Myrtenaster.

“Well, we’re coming with.” Coco stated, stepping forward.

“No, we need more able fighters here, keeping this area secure. More areas we can help keep safe from Grimm, the better. The White Fang and Vasillias Cartel are holding their areas, and the Fang are getting more help by the second.” Li explained, and they turned to see more and more Airships inbound, even some more Dreadnaughts, most likely stolen. “I will join you.” He said, standing beside Ren and Nora.

“We’re getting them back.” Eryka said with hope in her voice.

“Good luck. We’ll hold the line.” Fox assured, slashing Sharp Retribution together, and they all stood with the Summit’s Claim, Vernal and Sashaa as more Grimm started spawning from the Tar Pits, with Harmony Gives Humble Mind landing beside them.

The team sprinted up the steps, now inside of Evernight.

One step closer to finding those who were lost.

 

Ruby

 

Ruby launched towards Salem, spinning through the air and slicing through her arm, cutting it clean off, but it quickly regenerated, and Salem punched her in the face as she went for a second attack. Ruby crashed against the sand and tumbled towards the edge of the cliff again. Salem sprinted towards her but Cinder launched a fireball into her side, exploding and launching Salem off the edge.

Salem formed wings and flew around, immediately coming back towards Cinder and smashing her against one of the crystals. Pyrrha suddenly flew towards her and rammed her swords into Salem’s back and lifted her over her head and smashed the Queen into the same crystal, impaling her. Salem roared with anger and pain as she stared at them. But Salem pressed her hands against the crystal, firing powerful bolts of red lightning into it, causing it to shatter into a thousand pieces so she could be free, with a slowly regenerating hole in her chest.

Salem punched Penny so hard it sent her flying into the cliff face, then Pyrrha launched towards Salem, only to be kicked against the ground. Salem walked down the rocks towards them. “This is all pointless. Your struggles are pointless. Nothing you do will hurt me. Slow me down. You are all fighting for a future that will never come. You cannot stop what is about to happen.” Salem explained.

“You know how many times people have told us we can’t stop them? Well, guess what? We’re still here, aren’t we?” Ruby questioned as she got back up.

Pyrrha spun Ira Red and Crocea Mortem through her fingers, panting as she stared Salem down. Until she heard sprinting behind her, and turned to see Jaune suddenly tackle her off the cliff. Pyrrha yelled, punching Jaune and kicking him away as they both fell. She drove her sword into the side of the cliff to try to slow her descent, but crashed into the ground near the Tar Falls.

Cinder gasped, blasting off after her, knowing she couldn’t beat Jaune alone.

Leaving only Ruby and Penny against her.

Salem turned, knowing who it was, and seeing Watts stood on the rocks behind her. “Ah… Watts…” she said, but he smirked and her eyes narrowed, knowing what he was going to do. He suddenly blasted the Grave Dust into her wound from the crystal, which just healed, and it flowed inside of her.

The dust flowed through her veins and held her arms out and levitated her in the air.

Anyone else would scream in agony… but Salem just stared Watts down and she smirked sinisterly. “About time you showed your true colours, my old friend.” Salem chuckled, smirking.

Watts gritted his teeth and roared, swinging his arms apart, and the Grave Dust solidified into blades and sliced Salem into quarters, spraying black blood everywhere. Her chunks collapsed and black smoke emerged. “Well, that should buy some time.” He said as he straightened his tie, looking directly at Ruby and Penny.

“You really are a snake, huh? Can’t help but noticed you waited until Jaune was gone.” Ruby stated.

“He’ll keep Nikos busy. Even better than dear old Cinder developed such a heart as to follow her…” Watts said, slowly pacing around as his Grave Dust returned, swirling around him. “Now… I believe that Lamp belongs to me.” He stated.

“If we don’t stop the Relic of Creation, then we’re all dead. The Grimm will be unstoppable! We should be working together.” Ruby stated.

“And why would I want to work with gnats like yourself? No… tonight I will cut off all loose ends. And finally – I will have what I want.” He stated.

“And what is it you want?” Penny snarled with hate in her eyes.

He chuckled.

“I want it… all.” He stated, smirking.

Power.

Knowledge

The world to be controlled by his hands, and his hands alone.

No Salem.

Nobody left to challenge him.

Ruby looked at the Relic on her hip, then spun Black Thorn through her fingers. “Then you’re gonna have to go through us.”

He smirked.

“Good.”

Chapter 46: Power and Knowledge

Chapter Text

Marrow

 

The Bullhead roared across the sky above the raging war beneath them.

Fiona was sitting in one of the seats, tapping her foot on the ground whilst holding her weapon close to her chest, sweat beading from her pores. Marrow’s heart was racing just like Fiona’s, whereas Vine was calm as always, focused on what needed to be done as he flew the Bullhead towards one hangar of the Dreadnaught.

Marrow held the data chip in his hand, a chip that was going to single-handedly take down the Black Gallows… and many people were going to die the second that the virus contained in this chip was inserted. It just made him more and more nervous. It was like he was carrying a nuclear bomb in his fingers.

“I know you’re nervous, but remember – all we have to do is get onto the bridge and upload it. Once we do that, we have to run as fast as we can if we are going to escape the Dreadnaught.” Vine explained.

“It will definitely destroy the Shadow of Broken Promises?” Fiona asked.

“The virus is designed to attack the key systems of the ship, and it will infect the main core, causing it to go critical and eventually explode. But before that, every piece of Black Gallows technology will be eradicated.” Vine explained, not flinching as he said the words.

“What about you?” Marrow asked.

“I have disconnected myself from their servers, that’s the only reason they have not taken control of me yet.” Vine answered, which gave Marrow some relief.

Not much.

But it was enough.

“Don’t worry, I’ve got my eye on you as well.” Dutch’s voice appeared in their comm links. “Once you give me a secure connection to the Shadow of Broken Promises from a terminal, I can guide you.”

“Alright… let’s do this.” Fiona sighed.

Suddenly they felt the air rupture, and it caused the stability of the Bullhead to rattle, more and more, and Vine grunted as a shell exploded extremely near them. “They’ve spotted us! Expect heavy resistance from the forces still aboard!” Vine called out, and it was like their fear was snatched away, and all they felt now was determination to bring this thing down.

He flew directly towards the Hangar. The systems were charging back up so the Hardlight Barrier could stop them from getting inside, but Vine punched it with everything this Bullhead had, flying faster than one usually should. “Brace for impact!” Vine ordered, and the Bullhead shot through the doors before the Hardlight Shields came up, just in time.

The Bullhead slammed against the ground, crushing a Trojan Droid beneath it and smashing through the crates of ammunition and other resources. One crate was thrown forward, splattering a Black Gallows soldier underneath it, and the Bullhead slid across the ground to  a halt.

“The Shadow of Broken Promises has been boarded! Eliminate the Interlopers!” A Black Gallows soldier commanded through the speakers of the ship. Marrow grabbed the sliding door, yanking it open, and he jumped out, firing Fetch at the Raven Talons, who were getting in position. The bullets punctured through the armour plating, killing him in a few seconds and spraying blood across the floor. Marrow rolled across the floor and ducked behind one of the landed Wasps.

Fiona and Vine followed, jumping out of the Bullhead and immediately joining the fight. Vine swung through the air, using his elongated Aura-Bound arms to throw himself into the air, grappling onto rafters above them. He spun through the air, dodging incoming bullets and throwing Thorn into the air.

The throwing star spun across the hangar, slicing through the arm of an Onyx Consul, cutting the hand clean off. The soldier grunted as the cybernetic hand fell from his wrist, rolling backwards as Vine landed in front of him. The Sniper drew his electrified baton, swinging it at Vine, but he ducked under it, punching the Marksman in the gut, before grabbing him by the chin and flipping him over his shoulder and against the ground, knocking him unconscious.

Vine grabbed the Sniper Rifle and fired down at the soldiers, which were firing at Marrow and Fiona.

Fiona sprinted, and she spiralled her Staff through her fingers, before firing multiple bolts from the crossbows, impaling one soldier’s hand to the wall, giving Marrow the opportunity to shoot him in the head and finish him off. Vine continued to nail each soldier in the head, until the doors opened beneath and an Ebony Sabre emerged, immediately shooting missiles towards the platform he stood on top of. Vine dropped the gun and jumped off just as the missiles tore the nest apart, and he swung through the air, using the hanging Wasps as cover from the Heavy Trooper’s machine guns.

He rolled across the ground and extended the aura from his arms, grabbing two smaller crates and flinging them towards the Ebony Sabre, who sprinted towards him, blasting the thrusters in the shoulder blades of the mechanical suit to move even faster. The Sabre extended an electrified blade, slashing it towards Vine, only narrowly missing, but Vine slingshot himself into the air, before slingshotting a second time, slamming both feet into the side of the Sabre’s head.

The Ebony Sabre stumbled, only to spin around and immediately open fire with the machine guns, some bullets scraping across his aura protected body. He grunted, thrown across the ground, then having to keep his head down as another Black Gallows Wasp detached from the ceiling after another pilot got in, and blasted away through the Hanger Door, joining the battle outside.

The downdraft from its powerful afterburners nearly knocked Vine off his feet, but the Ebony Sabre was unaffected, and the machine guns folded back into the armour plating, before a new weapon extended, charging up the dust reserves. The Sabre fired a powerful beam of red energy towards Vine, only narrowly missing and cleaving a thick metal crate in half with ease, and then he activated a large Hardlight Riot Shield.

The Ebony Sabre rushed him, smashing Vine against the wall with the shield and extending a blade from the other arm, driving it towards his shaved head. Vine rolled aside and slashed Thorn across the back of his neck, sparks flying out, and he growled in rage. The Ebony Sabre blasted high in the air, firing off an entire swarm of missiles down towards him. Vine slid across the floor and flung a missile from a container at the soldier.

It exploded upon impact, severely damaging the armour. The bulky soldier crashed against the ground, but continued to fire at him with the machine gun. Vine pulled a piece of metal close with his elongated arms, blocking the bullets and sprinting directly at the soldier. He threw it at the Ebony Sabre’s head, smashing the helmet, and finally finishing the soldier off by grabbing the head of the soldier and smashing him down into the floor so hard it killed him.

Marrow rolled out from cover, throwing Fetch through the air after transforming it into its Boomerang Blade form. It spun across the Hangar, slicing through the guns of two Raven Talons, leaving them defenceless, and then he charged towards them. He slashed down the chest of one and kicked another across the face. One of the Talons fired an Electrified Cable towards him, but he jumped and flipped through the air, before throwing Fetch into his chest, impaling him against the ground. He ripped the blade from the corpse of the Soldier and spun around as Sable Guard emerged from the doors.

He sprayed across them, quickly dispatching the less armoured Security Guards, killing them all in a single spray. Marrow swiftly reloaded, and he kept running forward towards the ladder, which headed up towards a small operations centre for the Hangar. “I’m near a Terminal, lemme connect you!” Marrow said to Dutch, sprinting to and plugging his scroll into the Black Gallows Mainframe.

Suddenly, a blade slammed down at his fingers, only narrowly missing him. He rolled backwards, only to get blown across the floor by the explosive shell fired by the soldier’s mechanical arm. He stared ahead, seeing the Obsidian Glaive approach.

The Former Huntsman turned monster yelled, spinning his Sceptre through his fingers and having a multi-function cybernetic arm replacing the one he lost. In fact, judging by the state of his body? He was more machine than human now, and he blasted a cloud of fire from his arm at Marrow. He stayed back, firing Fetch at the Obsidian Glaive, but he deflected the incoming bullets with his Sceptre before firing another explosive shell from the secondary firearm built into the cybernetics.

Marrow sprinted towards the Obsidian Glaive, but the Huntsman suddenly launched the Sceptre towards him, but he slid across the ground, only narrowly dodging the weapon as it stabbed into the wall behind him. Marrow jumped and transformed Fetch into Melee-Form, slicing down the armour plating, but the Glaive grabbed him by the throat and swung him against the wall, denting the wall.

The Obsidian Glaive slammed him down against the ground and stamped on his throat, staring down at him with glowing red cybernetic eyes. The Huntsman aimed the cannon at his face, but Marrow kicked him in the leg, making him collapse to one knee, and his face falling into his fist. The Glaive staggered back and just as the Huntsman went to shoot him again, Marrow snapped his fingers.

“STAY!” He yelled, voice echoing down the hall.

The Obsidian Glaive froze, and Marrow took the opportunity, slicing across his body and shooting him in the chest. The combined attack launched the soldier against the wall, then he grabbed the Sceptre and jumped, spinning through the air and throwing it back at the Obsidian Glaive. “YOU DROPPED THIS!” Marrow bellowed, throwing the spear into the Huntsman’s chest so hard it broke the little aura the broken warrior had left, going straight through and smashing through the window.

The Huntsman roared as he plummeted out the other side, crashing against the ground with a heavy thud.

Marrow panted, wiping the sweat from his brow. “I’m in!” Dutch’s voice granted him great relief, and he yanked the Scroll from the terminal.

Fiona rushed past and kicked a Shadow Dagger in the face, making her stumble across the floor, before smashing her head against the ground with the Crossbow Staff she held. The Shadow Dagger darted across the floor before leaping towards her with the extended blades in the bracers, slashing at her relentlessly. Fiona backed up, blocking each blade, throwing sparks around with every strike that she made.

The Shadow Dagger jumped and slashed downwards, but Fiona rolled away and fired a bolt directly at the soldier, who deflected the incoming projectile before darting forward again. But Fiona charged forward and slid across the ground, swiping the Shadow Dagger off her feet and driving the spear into her back, killing her instantly. As she turned, she saw a large squad of Raven Talons rushing towards her, but she smirked.

She still had another trick up her sleeve.

“CATCH!” she yelled, spinning and activating her semblance, suddenly launching a destroyed Vasillias Cartel Tank that she absorbed earlier into the soldiers. The tank crushed and killed them all, and finally the area was secured. She panted and looked around, seeing Vine walk over alongside Marrow, sliding down the ladder to join them.

“Alright, Dutch… where should we go? You can see where they have soldiers placed, right?” He asked.

“Correct, I can guide you directly to the Bridge with as little resistance as possible… wait…”

“What?” Marrow asked.

“Shiiiit, you’ve got a Paladin coming through the door to your left. And that’s the way you need to go.” Dutch explained, making Marrow roll his eyes.

“Of course there is.” The enormous doors opened, revealing the massive Paladin emerging armed to the teeth with many weapons, staring them down. The three of them prepared for combat, and the Paladin immediately opened fire on them. Bullets and missiles flew their way, and they scattered.

Vine swung through the air whilst Marrow fired Fetch at the massive mechanical suit of armour. It sprayed hundreds of thousands of bullets at them from the multiple machine guns it had mounted. The thing was a walking war engine, shooting missiles into the air, one of them nailing Vine and blowing him out of the air, crashing through the window of one of the observation rooms for the Hangar. Fiona sprinted towards it and slashed across the back of its leg to try to take out the pistons, but it spun around and smashed her across the room and threw some crates with its arm.

It jumped across the Hangar, landing in front of Marrow, but he slashed across the visor of the Paladin, then rolled away as it stamped at where he was standing. Vine grabbed boxes of dust crystals for ammunition manufacturing and fuel, throwing them down at the Paladin relentlessly. They exploded in fire, ice and lightning formations, leaving scarring across the armour.

He jumped and swung overhead, throwing Thorn down at it, cutting through the barrel of one of its guns just as it fired. The gun exploded and blew off chunks of armour plating, stumbling the machine a little. As it turned, Fiona fired an explosive bolt from her Staff into the visor, temporarily impairing its vision and knocking it back a few steps, but soon it could see again.

Marrow looked around, knowing they needed something bigger to bring this thing down, and he spotted there was still one more Wasp connected to the ceiling of the Hangar. “Vine! If we can bring that Wasp down on it, it should be enough! We’ll get it in position!” Marrow called, sliding across a crate and shooting at another one of the guns, which continued to fire at him. The bullets shredded the ground behind him, but he saw Vine launching himself towards the Wasp and into position with Thorn ready to throw.

Marrow rolled aside as it fired more missiles at him, destroying the floor behind him. Marrow rolled ahead and spun on the spot, throwing Fetch into its arm. The blade dug deep into the joint, then he charged towards it, jumping across crates and over the wreck of the Cartel Tank towards the Paladin. He grabbed onto Fetch and dangled on the side of it, pulling as hard as he could, before ripping clean through the joint.

The entire arm broke off and sparks flew from the stump, whilst Fiona slid across the floor, spinning her Staff around her shoulders, firing bolt after bolt at it, blowing the explosive projectiles up with every hit she landed. Armour plating broke off, but it suddenly swung around and smashed Marrow into the wall so hard that his blue aura flickered. He groaned in pain and stared at the huge Paladin as it fired at Fiona.

She ran to his aid, luring the Paladin into position.

It was directly underneath the Wasp now. Marrow gritted his teeth and snapped his fingers. “STAY!” He yelled, freezing the Paladin in motion.

“Vine! NOW!” Fiona called up, and he threw his Throwing Star straight through the gravity connector, disrupting the connection and sending the Wasp plummeting down on top of the Paladin, crushing it. They watched the Paladin carefully, noticing it didn’t explode, but it wasn’t moving either.

The cockpit suddenly opened, and the pilot stumbled out, drawing his pistol on the two of them, until Vine suddenly slammed down on top of him, punching him in the back of the head so hard it knocked him unconscious.

“Nice.” Marrow chuckled, panting with relief.

“Alright, through that… oh come on.” Fiona sighed.

“What?” Marrow asked, expecting more soldiers, but the door that Dutch said they needed to go through was now sealed. “Shit… Dutch, the door is locked.” Marrow explained.

“Damn it, try to find a way to open it, it’s your best shot.” Dutch explained.

“Crap, that could take ages to find.” Marrow sighed, only for Marrow to stare at the Wasp, and he approached it and looked in the direction the nose of it was facing. It needed a bit of pushing, but it was almost facing the door, and after doing a quick scan, he found the afterburners were still functional.

“I have an idea, but I need all of your help. There’s some forklifts over there. Use them and I’ll drag it. We can point this at the door. Then I’ll turn on the thrusters and open it a faster way.” Vine answered.

Fiona chuckled. “Robyn would have loved that.”

Fiona and Marrow ran to the Forklifts and turned them on, driving over to the Wasp landed on top of the Paladin and they pushed it with all the force the vehicles had, whilst Marrow extended his arms and pulled as hard as he could. The metal groaned and creaked, but it slowly moved into position, scraping across the floor before pointing directly at the door they needed to go through.

“There. Now stand back.” Vine said, as he extended a cable from his wrist and plugged it into the cockpit.

“You know this really ruins the element of surprise, right?” Marrow asked, but that made Vine chuckle.

“I doubt they’ll ever expect a Wasp to smash through the ship and out the other side.” Vine stated, which both Fiona and Marrow shrugged in agreement.

“Fair enough.”

Once activated, Vine retracted the cable and jumped away from the Wasp. The thrusters roared to life, and the Wasp shot away from them, exploding and smashing straight through the doors, and just as he predicted, going all the way through that side of the ship. Alarms blared across the entire Dreadnaught, and they now had a path through to where they needed to go.

Not following the direct tunnel of fire left in the wake of the Wasp, of course.

“Let’s keep moving.” Vine said.

“Remind me never to ask you to fix my car.” Fiona commented.

 

Ruby

 

She stood beside Penny as Watts stared at them, with the slowly regenerating body of Salem forming behind them, with a large cyclone of black smoke forming. Watts had bought them some time by attacking Salem like that, but they knew they had to take him down as well.

Watts was too dangerous to leave alive.

“Your confidence has taken you far further than I initially expected, I admit. But this is where your story ends, Ruby Rose.” Watts stated as he walked around, staring at her. “I always assumed you would just be one more weed of the Silver Eyed Bloodline to rip out. I was more than happy to leave it to Valravn. Yet here you are… time after time you have surprised me.”

“What? You want an autograph?” Ruby scoffed as she kept him in her sights, knowing he was by far one of the most unpredictable and dangerous of the Children of Salem.

“A tempting offer, truly.” He said as he gripped his wrist, flexing his fingers, and his ten rings glowed blue. “But there is one thing I have always known you were predictable for…”

“And what’s that?” Ruby asked.

“Affection.” He said, and he suddenly held out his hand towards Penny, his rings glowing. “Your love for the Android will always be your downfall… because I will always have control over her. For she is nothing more than a tool… a weapon to be used. A fact you have always been blind to.” Watts stated.

But Penny chuckled, shaking her head. That really surprised him.

“Seems like you’re wrong again, Arthur.” She snarled, blasting towards him, completely unaffected by his hacking attempt. His eyes widened, and she punched him in the fact with all her might, sending him flying and tumbling across the rocks and sand. He formed a Grave Dust Sword in his hand to slow himself down, and Penny landed with Ruby dashing to her side, Black Thorn firmly in her grasp.

“My, my… eating my own words… Pietro, correct? Seems the old man finally learned a few tricks I did after I left him behind.” Watts chuckled.

“Something like that… and a little more.” Ruby replied with a smirk, always enjoying whenever she could shut Watts up.

“Well… colour me impressed once more. And in truth, I am glad.” And there it is again, that smug expression that Ruby hated. “I was hoping to make this personal.”

She couldn’t tell if he was genuinely impressed or annoyed and just trying to hide that fact. But she couldn’t ponder that curious thought for long, because suddenly from Evernight she heard the sound of what was like a machine gun firing, but it wasn’t. It was at least twenty replicas of the Beacon Weapon Lockers shooting up from the Castle and soaring towards his location.

Ruby and Penny retreated as they all came crashing down, all surrounding Watts. He smirked and held out his arms as they all landed… then they saw the pods open, and they were filled to the brim with Grave Dust.

“I have improved the usage of Grave Dust to the point where it’s only limitations now are in the imagination of the one who wields it. And my imagination? Oh, it can go extremely far, I assure you.” He said, and all the Grave Dust swirled around him, creating the largest cloud of the stuff they had ever seen, allowing him to create anything, and it levitated him into the air.

“Oh… shit…” Ruby stammered.

“So… come Ruby Rose, and through me… discover the end of this journey you have set for yourself.” Watts stated, forming a massive pair of Grave Dust arms, and he swung his fist into the ground. Grave Dust pumped into the ash and blasted huge spikes from beneath them. Ruby grunted, thrown high in the air by the impact, and being blasted out of the sky by another blade that he shot towards her. It stabbed through her cloak and pinned her to the wall. She grabbed onto it, straining, trying to crush the dust back into powder form.

Penny stared up at him and flew into the air, blasting a powerful beam of green energy towards him, but Watts formed a protective shield of dust, which deflected her beam away. He blasted towards her and grabbed her by the face with his actual hand, smashing her against the ground. The Grave Dust formed into eight limbs. The bottom four kept him in the air like the legs of a spider, whilst the other four floated behind his back, acting like giant tentacles.

He slammed one of the Grave Dust tentacles down towards her, and she only narrowly dodged it, but he wrapped it around her leg and swung her over his head and smashed her against the rocks. She grunted in pain and then he coiled the tentacle around her body, slowly crushing her. He held her closer, staring at her face. “Finally… able to lay the abomination that Pietro made to rest.” He said, pointing his Ornate Revolver against her head, about to pull the trigger.

Ruby roared, launching herself into his back and tackling him, breaking the formations of Dust that he made and sliding through the sand with him. Watts rolled through the sand, suddenly being punched in the face by Ruby, and then she grabbed him by the top of his head and swung him down into her knee before slashing across his body with Black Thorn. He grunted, but spun around, shooting at her three times, hitting her with each shot, with the Revolver, then snapping his fingers.

To their shock, they saw the Grave Dust form into Valravn and Jackdaw Branwen.

Ruby gasped, her silver eyes widening in terror when she saw that nightmarishly familiar silhouette staring her down.

Valravn…

Valravn…

Valravn…

Even in death she could still feel the effect he had, hear the whispers. The Grave Dust forms of the Branwens shot towards the two of them, Jackdaw to Penny and Valravn at Ruby.

Watts paced back and forth as the Grave Dust swirled in the sky above them, and he chuckled menacingly. “Look at what we are capable of with the power of the gods in our hands! There is nothing you can do that will stop me now.” He chuckled.

Ruby rolled aside as Valravn launched towards her, swinging his Double-Ended Scythe at her relentlessly. She backed up, deflecting the incoming blows as fast as she could, shooting her Volcanic Pistols at him, but they were just going through a body made of dust. It reconstructed itself every single time she made any damage. Valravn jumped and spun his Scythe across his shoulders before kicking her in the chest and against the ground.

“Face it, Miss Rose. You’re nothing more than an ant nipping at the toes of a god!” Watts laughed, his ego manifested in full now. Valravn pressed her against the ground with his Grave Dust versions of his mechanical legs, staring down at her. Ruby shrieked as she tried to get free, but even with her fighting Jackdaw in the background, Penny heard her screaming.

She turned, only to be slashed across the chest by his familiar 3-D Printed Feather Blades, jumping away and firing his machine guns at her. She spun Floating Array around, blocking the incoming bullets and fatal feathers, and immediately flew towards Valravn. The Grave Dust Ghost turned and lifted Ruby off the floor with his metal leg and tossed her into Penny. She smacked against her and the two tumbled across the sand.

Jackdaw landed and grabbed Penny by the back of the head, smashing her face against the floor, before throwing her into the air and firing his machine guns at her. She regained her senses and dodged the incoming gunfire, then turned to Watts, remembering what Ruby just did.

“We’re focusing on the wrong things…” Penny remembered. She immediately fired a powerful beam across the sand, blasting across Jackdaw and into Valravn, saving Ruby. She laid on the floor, shaking in fear of him, but Penny turned and immediately flew towards Watts.

The Doctor stared at her and smirked, firing his gun at her, rolling out of the way. Ruby looked up at the body of Valravn, which crumbled away, the Grave Dust being sucked back to Watts. She shuddered, then shook her head, snapping back to reality.

Penny slashed her blades across Watts’ body, but he rolled away from her and fired a Gravity Bullet into her chest, sending her flying backwards, but as she slid across the ground, she blasted the thrusters in her boots and hands, staring back at him with anger and she slammed into her enemy, grabbing him by the throat and smashing him against the ground.

“YOU MESSED WITH MY HEAD!” she roared, smashing him again.

“TRIED TO MAKE ME KILL THE WOMAN I LOVE!” slammed him once again.

“TURNED ME INTO A MONSTER!”

Watts held out his hands as she grabbed his collar, and suddenly, long Grave Dust tentacles formed in thin air and wrapped around her arms, lifting her off the ground. “Oh, no… Ironwood and your Father were the ones you made you a monster. I simply helped you use your abilities to your full potential.” Watts stated, and the tentacles pulled her arms apart, making her scream in great pain.

Before he could pull her arms from their sockets, Ruby shot up into the air, slashing through both tentacles, freeing Penny, and immediately slammed both blades down at him with all her might.

He jumped away from her, spinning his revolver through his fingers. “You will never lay a finger on her again.” Ruby stated.

“Incorrect, my dear. The machine you have formed such a charming attachment to is far too great an asset to lose. I will eradicate whatever personality matrixes are in that little head of hers and make her… more pliable for my needs. After I deal with you.” Watts snarled.

“Give it your best shot, you son of a bitch.” Ruby snarled, with Penny beside her.

The massive storm of Grave Dust swirled behind him, ready to make whatever he desires, smirking sinisterly at them.

All the while, Ruby kept Jinn close, who was glowing more than usual.

 

Pyrrha

 

As Jaune tackled her, the two plummeted off the edge of the cliff together, and she kicked at his chest, pushing him away from her. As they both fell, Jaune swung his sword at her and aimed his Shield Cannon at her, firing a powerful shot which hit her in the chest. She smashed against the cliff wall and fell into the sand.

She groaned in pain, pushing herself off the ground and seeing her aura was getting weaker and weaker. She didn’t know how much she had left in her, but she heard someone else land near her, and Cinder helped her back up. “You alright?” Cinder asked.

“Yeah… just tackled by my resurrected boyfriend and thrown off a cliff. The usual.” Pyrrha sarcastically answered, making Cinder chuckle. But then both their attentions were drawn as they saw Jaune stood there, sword in hand, and just staring at them both. His eyes glowed bright purple, an all too familiar purple.

Pyrrha walked out, Ira Red and Crocea Mortem in her grasp. “Jaune… please… it’s me.” Pyrrha attempted, but there was nothing there. He could clearly remember who she was. Had Jaune’s memories, but the boy he was? This was not him, just stealing his memories.

“How about Thaddeus Rex?” Cinder asked him, Obsidian Axe in hand, and that made him turn his head. “Yeah… we figured it out. She used you, didn’t she? Did some truly fucked up shit with your soul when Haytham gave you up to her? And used you to merge with Jaune? Because that boy was far too stubborn to just betray this redhead like this.” Cinder said, looking at Pyrrha, then back at the Salem Knight. “Just like how Ozpin is merging with Oscar… you merged with him… is that about right?”

Jaune still didn’t say a word, but judging by the fact he was listening? And it made sense?

She was definitely right.

Seems like more of Raven rubbed off on her than she expected.

The three were in a standoff, glaring at each other, hearing the battle beginning above between Ruby, Penny, and Watts.

Jaune was unaware that Watts had just betrayed Salem, his Queen, as well.

“Please don’t make me do this…” Pyrrha begged.

Jaune gripped his sword tighter, eyes glowing bright purple. “My oath is to my queen… not to a meagre failure like yourself.” He snarled. Even though she knew it was more Thaddeus than Jaune in there, it still hurt to hear his words saying that towards her.

“I see your charm hasn’t changed.” Cinder scoffed. She held her Obsidian Axe tighter, eye burning more and more, waiting for Jaune to make the first move as the sand blew in the air between them.

The booms and echoes of gunfire from the war nearby… the conflict on the top of the cliff against Watts…

And finally…

Jaune aimed his cannon at Cinder and blasted her in the chest, blowing her against the wall, and despite how much she loved Jaune, Pyrrha sprinted towards him. She jumped and yelled in anguish, driving both swords downwards and scraping across his armour plating. She swung again, but he deflected them one handed, before raising his shield above his head as she went for his head with Crocea Mortem. He pointed the cannon at her and fired, but she rolled aside, throwing Ira Red into the back of his leg.

She sprinted towards him on one knee but he shot her with the cannon, and turned to see Cinder roaring towards him and driving her axe into his neck with all her might. Black blood squirted from his throat but she ripped it out and went for a second hit, but he caught the axe in his hand and crushed it before kicking her in the chest. Cinder fell against the floor, rolling aside as Jaune slammed the enormous blade of his sword down towards where her head just was, only narrowly missing.

Glass formed around her body, melting the sand all around her, and she formed her Obsidian Bow, firing an explosive arrow at him. He raised his shield, blocking the detonating arrow, and he channelled the flames into the barrel of the cannon of his shield, and ran the flames down the blade of his sword. The sword ignited, and he swung at her relentlessly, leaving trails of smoke and embers behind her with every hard motion.

Cinder backed up, before blasting up into the air above him, hovering and shooting her bow at him, firing three arrows around him which all detonated in a huge explosion, throwing him into the air, and she then formed a massive storm cloud above her, which hammered down a huge bolt of lightning into his chest. The bolt exploded and blew him against the rocks. He growled as he got back up, turning as Cinder fired a beam of ice at him.

He raised his shield, blocking it from hitting him, then Pyrrha slashed across the back of his leg with Crocea Mortem and ripped Ira Red from where she had thrown it. She jumped and stabbed both her swords in his back. He snarled and fired up at Cinder, missing, but she had to stop shooting him with her ice. He reached back to Pyrrha and threw her over his shoulder and against the floor. She bounced off the ground, then Jaune slashed up her chest and grabbed her by the ponytail, smashing her face against the ground.

Jaune swiftly turned as Cinder flew directly towards him, punching him in the face and arcing around the canyon they were fighting in. As he tumbled backwards from her punch, he immediately aimed the Shield at her, firing three shots at her extremely fast, and all three hit, blowing her out of the air.

Jaune smirked sinisterly as he saw her fall to the floor, struggling to get up and coughing up blood from her sickness. Pyrrha suddenly appeared and flipped backwards, kicking up his jaw, before sliding between his legs and slicing through the heel. He roared in pain and fell forward. She jumped and pulled her swords up under his chin, pulling him backwards. He roared with rage as he struggled to grapple onto her to fight back, but she kicked off his back and connected the two swords, firing her rifle down at him, before jumping away as he fired at her.

She spun Ira Red and Crocea Mortem through her fingers, glaring at Jaune. He circled her slowly, spinning his lethal sword through his fingers, watching her every move. She knew it was hopeless fighting him. No matter how much damage she did to him, it would never keep him down for long.

The only way she could feasibly see defeating him… was perhaps by killing Salem.

Jaune charged towards her, and slammed his shield into the ground, firing multiple times and causing tremendous explosions all around them. Pyrrha jumped, and rolled out of the path of the coming ruptures, and through one of the explosions, he thrusted towards her, going for the skewering attack. She only just avoided it, then slashed across his chest, jumping forward in a flip with both swords, slamming them down his chest and leaving two deep gashes across the armour.

She rolled across the floor and threw one of her swords into his shoulder, then yanked him forward with polarity, latching onto the sword, and she jumped towards him, smashing her armoured knee up his chin.

She ripped the sword from his shoulder and stared him down, with Cinder also standing tall, ready to fight more, despite her strength slowly fading more and more.

Jaune stared at them both, rolling his shoulder and snarling.

 

Ren

 

The infiltrators sprinted inside of the halls of Evernight, all looking around to try to find any sign of the people they lost. “Gods, this place is enormous. Where do we even start to look for them?” Yang panted.

Blake thought to herself and she looked around, seeing that they had two paths that they could take, one that went up the stairs towards the upper levels… and one that went further into the castle from where they were right now. “Okay… we split up.” Blake said.

“Are we sure that’s a good move?” Oscar asked.

“It’s our best option. Like Yang said, the castle is massive. We’ll have a better chance at finding them if we cover more ground. Whoever finds them lets the other team know, and we get them the hell out of here.” Blake explained. Eryka nodded her head in agreement.

Her brother was nearly the only thing she had left after losing Dulcis.

She couldn’t lose him, too.

They all came to an agreement on this plan, despite how nerve-wracking it was.

“Nora, Oscar, my father and I will go up the stairs.” Ren said.

“Yang, Weiss, Eryka and Winter will follow me. We’ll head deeper in.” Blake agreed.

“Be safe.” Nora begged them.

“You too.” Blake said back, and the two teams split up. Ren’s group ran up the stairs, past the windows where the battle raged more and more, and even bigger Grimm were spawning from the Tar Pits.

The fact they still hadn’t seen a single Praetorian Knight yet was also making them extremely nervous.

And they knew that the Children of Salem were in here, waiting for them. They ran into a large room together, finding the old statues of Salem’s Knights, including the ominous Deacon, which Oscar stared at. But they kept on moving forward, looking around. They walked up the steps and approached the doors, and pushed them open, not knowing that the cells and a disturbing blood trail lead to a different spot to their left.

They opened the heavy doors… finding the Throne Room.

Oscar stared at the throne, shuddering, knowing that this was once the home of Ozma and Salem, and that this very Throne Room was where her controlling and terrified father used to sit. Now repurposed for her needs.

All the seats were empty, and they all looked around, but knew this was the wrong place. “Come on, we should keep searching.” Ren said, but he saw Oscar stood by her throne, resting his hand on it. Ren walked back in and stood at the foot of the table. “Oscar?”

“Sorry… it just… feels very familiar.” He said it took them a moment to remember that he had Ozma’s memories. Li stood at the ready, but he turned his head, sensing something, but before he could say anything.

The windows shattered, and Ren turned to see Icarus blasting towards him, slamming both his feet into Ren’s chest and smashing him across the ground. He immediately slashed his Khopeshes at Li, only narrowly missing as the Fallen Angel rolled out of the way, spinning his Staff through his fingers and with his old Bow over his shoulder, ready to use it again.

“SHIT!” Nora screamed, and Oscar swiftly drew Thunderous Deception and the Long Memory.

“Behind you!” He yelled to Nora and Ren. They turned and gasped to see Hazel, seemingly appearing from thin air, slamming the doors shut and locking them.

“Our Queen will accomplish her mission. Nobody’s getting in… and nobody’s getting out.” Hazel stated with gritted teeth and a scowl.

Icarus snarled through his artificial jaw, mechanical wings of razor sharp feathers splayed out widely, Undying Hatred tightly in his grasp. Hazel reached into his pockets, pulling out different Dust Crystals, lightning to begin with, but he had all the elements tucked away in there.

Ren spun Stormflower through his fingers, Nora channelled pink lightning through her veins. Oscar stood on the table with both weapons at the ready and Li slammed his staff against the ground.

Ready for battle.

 

Blake

 

The team charged through the halls of Evernight, but as they ran through, Eryka stopped them. Her eyes widened and blood ran cold.

“What is it?” Blake asked.

It was the blood trail that the others didn’t notice. “Blood… a lot of it.” Eryka answered, but then they heard something disturbing. Screaming… and crying…

But Blake immediately recognised one of the screams.

“SUN!” she screamed at the top of her lungs, and she sprinted toward the screaming. They all stayed close, following the blood trail. And they found a large room, the same room where Cinder used to train. A large room which once again had all the statues of the knights inside. But this time the skylight of the Shattered Moon was flipped, making it pitch black in here now.

“NEPTUNE?” Weiss called out.

“NEP!” Eryka screamed.

“SUN? SCARLET? SAGE?” Yang also yelled.

“RUSSEL? DOVE? SKY?” Winter joined in. They all looked around desperately for them all, but in the pitch black, they could not see a thing.

Until a light flashed on in the centre of the room.

Winter cautiously approached the shining light with Weiss, and they both crouched down in front of it.

Realising it was a scroll.

They could not make out what was on the recording, the sound was disturbingly distorted, all they could make out was… red… blood red. And the horrific screaming, like being slowly butchered alive…

Weiss gasped, looking at her hand…

Covered in fresh blood…

Suddenly, the doors slammed shut, and they heard an unnerving giggle all around them. “So sad…” Tyrian giggled. They could hear the sound of him running all around them. But he was not alone.

“All of this effort… for nothing.” Adam chuckled sinisterly, making the hairs on Blake and Yang stand on end.

“There’s nothing left…” Tyrian whispered in Blake’s ear, making her slash at the air in fear. “… you will scream too.” He assured.

The shrieking on the scroll grew in intensity, and for a brief moment they saw Adam draw Wilt and Blush, making the markings of his cloak and hair glow bright red, scraping the sword across the ground.

“And sooooon… you’ll meet your eeeeeeend.” Tyrian sang as the screaming amalgamated into a garbled, crackling white noise, but more terrifying was the sound of Tyrian crawling across the ceiling like a spider.

Before they heard him land in front of them.

His eyes glowed purple, and behind them Adam drew Wilt and Blush, glowing red.

“Your destiny. Ends. Now.” Tyrian hissed, extending the Queen’s Servants, before laughing maniacally and sprinting towards them.

Chapter 47: Seeing Red

Chapter Text

Blake

 

They could not even use this time to comprehend what had just happened here…

Everyone stood close together, Eryka with Constantine Damascus at the ready at all times, staring into the darkness as Adam and Tyrian sprinted towards them. Adam immediately went for Blake, slashing the long red blade of Wilt and Blush at her, but she deflected his attack and Yang punched him in the head. The impact threw him back into the shadows and he sheathed the blade, vanishing. And as Tyrian jumped towards them, Weiss formed a wind glyph which blew him away from them, and just like Adam, he vanished into the darkness.

But they could still hear their presence as they ran around them. “You’re too late…” Tyrian cackled, his voice sounding like it was getting closer.

“WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?” Eryka roared back.

“Eryka! Don’t get lured in.” Winter replied, but Eryka’s eyes were wide with fury.

“Your compassion is painfully predictable.” He chuckled. “No matter what happens tonight, you have already lost. Standing in the blood of your loved ones… what do you have left? Only memories of those you have failed.” He laughed.

He suddenly lunged through the shadows towards Eryka, his eyes glowing purple and his aura around his hand becoming visible in a nightmarish purple hue. But Eryka punched him in the side of the face so hard he tumbled back into the shadows.

“My love… how long I have waited for this day. You have finally scurried back to me.” Adam snarled.

“Shut the fuck up!” Yang roared, fists clenched tight and teeth gritted.

Everyone turned and gasped as Adam suddenly sprinted towards them and drew Moonslice, impacting them all and breaking them apart. The darkness gave Adam the chance to pursue quickly. Blake rolled across the ground, reaching out for Yang, only for her to be kicked in the face, pushed away from her. Blake gripped onto Gambol Shroud as tightly as she could, listening to every noise.

“I always knew you’d come back to me…” Adam hissed.

“Not in the way you think, though.” Blake promised with a hiss. Adam swung at her from behind, but suddenly the blade of Gambol Shroud clashed against it. She stared back at him and smirked. “I can see you, Adam…” she hissed, seeing the blood red flames that made his form from her perspective. His eye widened in disbelief at hearing her say that, and he snarled with anger. He smashed his head into hers but she vanished, and suddenly Gambol Shroud’s ribbon wrapped around his throat and yanked him away, and directly into Yang’s face.

The punch smashed him against the wall and he vanished once again. Blake and Yang stood back to back, waiting for him to make the next move. “Damn it… I can’t see him.” Yang panicked.

“I can. Running like always.” Blake said, angering the maniac as he continued to circle them. Suddenly, his red glow lit up the surrounding area and he swung the blade of his sword at Yang’s face, only for Yang to smash the sword away and blast him into the air. He fired his shotgun backwards, allowing him to dive towards them and slam the sword between them. He kicked Yang in the back of the head with his hooved foot.

He suddenly lunged towards Blake, pressing the blade of Wilt and Blush against her throat, slamming her against the ground. He grinned sadistically as she struggled, the glowing red light of his sword shining across the side of her face. “I have been dreaming of this day for so long… Salem thought she broke me… but I have not forgotten the promise I made you, my love. I will take away everything that’s dear to you!” Adam snarled, but Blake snarled back at him, pushing Gambol Shroud against the red blade, forcing him back.

On the other side, the Schnees and Vasillias stood together as they saw Blake against Adam across the room from them, but could not provide help, as the cackling madman had his eyes on them now. Tyrian continued to circle them, but in the thick shadows of the pitch black room they could not get a good read on where he was. “Where the hell is he?” Weiss stammered with fear, hearing the constant sprinting footsteps looping around them.

Eryka focused, staring into the darkness, trying to adjust her eyes to the shadows to figure out where he was. But before she could, suddenly his long mechanical tail burst through the veil and wrapped around her arm. He yanked her away and tossed her against the wall with significant force. Winter grunted as the same tail suddenly smashed her against her chest and pushed her aside from her younger sister.

Weiss gasped, eyes wide as Tyrian jumped towards her, tackling her against the floor and pinning her down. “WHAT A TREAT! JUST ME AND THE LITTLE ICE QUEEN!” Weiss formed multiple glyphs around her, all of them blasting icicles into Tyrian to get him off her. He jumped backwards, flipping through the air and smashing the icicles apart with his tail. As soon as he landed, he slashed across Weiss’ chest, before wrapping his tail around her throat and lifting her off the ground. He turned as Eryka swung her fist at his face, but he leant back with a mad grin, still covered in their blood, and he head-butted her.

He swung around and threw Weiss into Winter with all his might, causing the two Schnees to tumble across the ground. Eryka drew Constantine Damascus, firing three arrows at once towards him, but he cut them down with the Queen’s Servants, still dripping with the blood of their loved ones.

“WHAT DID YOU DO?” she screamed with fury, punching Tyrian in the face and tackling him against the floor.

“Heh… you still haven’t figured it out yet? YOU’RE STANDING IN WHAT’S LEFT OF THEM!” He guffawed. Eryka’s eye twitched. “Your brother? The monkey boy? Every single one of them? There is nothing left for you to take home.” He snarled. She screamed with rage and drew Slice ‘N Dice, going to stab him through the mouth with the sword. Suddenly, his tail wrapped around her leg and he tossed her aside with ease.

Eryka rolled across the ground as tears streamed from her heartbroken eyes and fired more arrows at him. He smashed them apart before they could even reach him, cackling maniacally as he sprinted towards her. He jumped and thrusted off his tail, which launched him off the ground, and he spun through the air, kicking Eryka in the cheek. She stumbled and slashed up his chest with her short sword, only for him to grab her by the face and smash her against the wall.

She strained as he got closer to her cheek. “Would you like to know which ones begged first?” Tyrian asked.

Winter suddenly lit up the room, forming a massive glowing white Nevermore which soared across the room towards him and launched Fatal Feathers at him. He rolled and cartwheeled across the room, giggling until one of the feathers finally hit him. He grunted and tumbled backwards across the ground, looking at Weiss and Winter as they both shot across the room on their glyphs towards him, and thrusted their blades into his chest. The impact smashed him against the wall.

Weiss, eyes damp with tears over the loss of Neptune once again, raised Myrtenaster and magnetised his arms against the wall whilst Winter formed multiple glyphs and lined her sword with Fire Dust. She blasted hundreds of fireballs at the man, but he just laughed even more, before suddenly creating a powerful pulse of purple aura from his body. He roared as he laughed as well, destroying the glyphs and deflecting the fireballs effortlessly. They even felt their aura flicker for a few moments there.

They never realised he had learned how to weaponise his aura in such a devastating way. Tyrian glared at them with a grin, eyes glowing purple, and he sprinted towards Weiss once again. He backed up, blocking and deflecting his fast and aggressive blows with the Queen’s Servants, before he jumped and leaped off her shoulders, hanging off the chandelier with his tail, firing the machine guns down at them as he cackled.

Eryka wiped her tears from her eyes to stop blurring her vision, firing explosive arrows towards him, blowing holes in the building’s roof, finally allowing the light of the beam to bleed through. Tyrian jumped, swinging across the chandeliers one by one before he threw himself towards Winter, smashing her into the ground with all his might with both feet. He rolled over her body and just as Weiss went to stab him; he smashed his metal tail across her cheek, then wrapping it around Eryka’s throat and throwing her over his head, smashing her against the floor.

Eryka groaned in pain, her blue aura flickering as she tried to get back up, but just as she did, he flipped backwards, kicking her up the chin, smashing her against the blood smothered floor once again.

Whilst Tyrian toyed with the others, Blake pushed back against Adam, until Yang suddenly grabbed him by one of his horns, pulling him away from her girlfriend and punched him in the face so hard he spun through the air. He drove Wilt and Blush into the ground, staring back with a mad grin, eyes glowing red as he continued to channel the power of his sword through his entire body.

He stared at Yang and then at Blake. “You?” He guffawed with laughter. “Oh, I bet you’re glad now, aren’t you? That the monkey boy is dead… means you think you can have Blake all to yourself.” Adam chuckled. Yang narrowed her eyes and gritted her teeth. She tightened her fists before speaking.

“You… and Tyrian… are going to pay for what you have taken from her.” Yang snarled, not even taking the bait.

“You really are a fool, aren’t you? Can’t you see how little she views loyalty? She abandoned me… and then the second there was an opening after he was gone, she went and shared a bed with you. A human at that as well… look how far your standards have fallen.” Adam scoffed.

“Do you ever shut the fuck up?” Yang yelled, firing Ember Celica at him, but he raised his sword, half drawn, absorbing the damage and containing it in the scabbard. “You stand there and act like you know her… you’re nothing more than an abusive, manipulative monster… and I will make sure that nobody will be able to recognise you when I’m finished.” Yang snarled.

“Oh, but that’s where you’re wrong, Yang. I know Blake better than anyone. I know that she’s a coward, who runs away from every insignificant problem, and casts people aside when she finds something new to sate her pallet.” Adam explained, circling Yang, pointing the sword at Blake as she got back up.

Blake glared at him, seeing his burning red flames forming his aura, and then seeing the golden beauty that was Yang.

She had heard these words from him so many times before… they no longer even made her feel pain.

His words made her feel nothing at all.

She spun Gambol Shroud through her fingers. “You sure you’re describing Blake? Or yourself?” Yang asked with a smirk, nodding at Blake.

Adam stared at them both once again, seeing their lack of fear as they stood side by side… the only thing he could take solace in was the pain in their hearts of losing Sun again… and even that was not an achievement he could claim… that was all Tyrian Callows.

He really was exactly what he described.

“You’re nothing more than a weak coward. And I’m done running from you.” Blake stated.

Adam roared with rage, immediately firing his shotgun at Yang, but she crossed her arms together to block the incoming shot. Blake fired Gambol Shroud at him, but he deflected each incoming bullet and sprinted through the darkness towards them. Yang looked at the opening that Eryka opened with her Explosive Arrow, and she fired more missiles into the domed roof, blowing more and more holes into it.

Chunks of rubble plummeted down from above, crashing against the floor and flooding the darkness with relieving light. The beam from the Relic of Creation continued to shoot up into the shattered moon, slowly reconstructing it and lining it up with where the Sun would soon be. Adam suddenly darted forward, his body trailed by black and red shadows of himself as he dodged the crashing chunks of rubble. He immediately slashed at Yang, cutting down her cybernetic arm.

Sparks flew from the impact, and Yang slid across the floor before firing another shot at him, which he deflected and stabbed at her gut. She smacked the blade aside with a loud metallic bang, but he spun around and kicked her in the face with his hoof, but as he went to shoot her in the side of the face, Blake threw Gambol Shroud’s ribbon towards him, wrapping it around his wrist.

She yanked his arm away just in time, firing the shotgun into the floor, and Yang jumped towards him, punching him in the middle of his face. He grunted in pain and fury, staggering backwards, only for Blake to rush towards him. She slashed her sword at him, but he deflected the blow with a loud clang before slashing the sword relentlessly at her. Blake vanished into thin air on the first swing, twirling across the floor and raising the Katana, deflecting his incoming swung, jumping and twisting through the air, slamming her sheath downwards against the top of his head. As she landed and he stumbled, she fired multiple bullets at his chest.

He grunted as some of them hit, but he deflected the last two, glaring back at her with gritted teeth. They both sprinted at one another again, but she slid underneath his feet and he drove the sword into the ground where she just was. Only narrowly missing, he turned, and she wrapped her grappling hook around his throat, pulling him backwards. He yelled in anger as he tried to rip the ribbon loose, only for Yang to get back up and charge towards him, jumping and punching him in the side of the face with all her might, firing Ember Celica at the same time.

The explosive punch sent Adam flying through the wall. The bricks shattered into dust as he slid to the end, then he stared at the two women who ran towards him. He gripped the hilt of his sheathed sword and his hair shone bright red. “Yang!” Blake yelled, pushing her out of the way, only for Adam to Moonslice at her.

Only narrowly missing but the cut carved across the entire room, leaving a deep burning gash across the entire room. Yang got back up and rushed towards Adam, only for him to stamp down on her hand when she punched at him, then grabbed Blake by the throat. “Now we’re having fun.” He laughed, staring down at Yang, who struggled against his foot, which crushed her metal hand against the floor.

He turned and threw Blake effortlessly off the edge, sending her plummeting off the cliff. “No!” she screamed.

“Now… time to finish what I started.” He said with a grin, raising his sword above Yang’s back to kill her.

Suddenly Gambol Shroud wrapped around his waist, and his eyes widened, and Blake yanked him off the cliff with her. Now free from Adam’s hold, Yang jumped off the edge without hesitation, diving after them. Adam slashed at Blake as they fell together, but Yang grappled onto him from behind, punching him in the side, but Adam reached back and threw Yang over his shoulder and slashed at her as well, leaving a long red arc behind him.

As they both fell, Yang ignored Adam and blasted herself towards Blake, grabbing onto her and firing whilst Blake threw Gambol Shroud into the arch, swinging herself and Yang to the ground at a safer speed.

Adam, on the other hand, drove the crimson blade into the side of the cliff, tearing the face of it open with scorched red stains behind him. His hooves scraped against the rocks before he kicked himself off the cliff face and landed on the flat ground.

They were not down where the rest of the battle was, still above the war beneath on an elevated outcrop, but it was large enough for them to fight Adam. Surrounded by the cliff and the ancient supports holding up that part of the castle.

Blake and Yang held onto each other still, and Yang cupped her cheek. “Are you okay?” Yang asked in a worried voice, which Blake simply answered with a tender kiss.

“I’m okay.” She promised, smiling.

They both turned though, seeing Adam staring at them with a feral scowl. Blood seemed to be flooding into his eyes, on one knee and with Wilt and Blush stabbed into the ground. He stared at the rocks, growling more and more savagely. “The hell is he doing?” Yang stammered.

Adam continued to stare, flinching as he remembered how Salem tortured him every single day for his betrayal.

Obsession over the girl…

You will not disobey me again…

You will stop pursuing the girl…

“I… am slave… to no one…” Adam snarled with anger, slowly clenching his hand into a fist.

“It’s over, Adam. This does not need to go any further.” Blake said, which just made Adam chuckle darkly at her.

“You’re right… one way or another… this little game we’ve been playing ends today.” Adam growled as he stood tall, his burnt eye glowing red with his hair and jacket. He suddenly slammed his sword into the ground, spreading cracks through the rock and causing red energy to bleed through.

He glared at them with a deranged smirk, on all fours, like a feral animal.

Blake and Yang prepared for a fight, because Adam was done holding back.

He was going to fight to the death.

The ground suddenly exploded with crimson flames, the shock wave throwing Adam high into the air, red energy constantly trailing from his body. And he immediately launched himself off one of the pillars towards them, burying the sword into the floor where they were standing. Blake and Yang both rolled aside and fired at him.

“What the hell? I thought it was only his sword that absorbed the damage?” Yang gasped.

“His semblance… I think it’s evolved…” Blake realised.

“Salem has tormented me for so long! For months! Every day, she tortured me!” Adam roared. “All of that pain… stored inside me… now you shall face the pain you have inflicted upon me, BLAKE BELLADONNA!” Adam bellowed, blowing the floor apart, throwing burning shrapnel towards the couple. Yang crossed her arms together, smashed against the cliff by the rocks, whilst Blake rolled and vanished, using her semblance constantly. She deflected another rock, and as Adam bounced off one of the walls, he swung Wilt and Blush in her direction, blasting powerful arcs of red energy her way, burning through the floor. He swung again, and this arc hit her, causing her purple aura to flicker.

Adam launched himself towards her, stabbing the ground only inches from where she was standing. Blake rolled backwards, raising her Katana with both hands as Adam slammed his down at her so hard and fast that the impact brought her to one knee. She strained as he pushed her towards the ground, before smacking the back of his hand against her cheek. As she fell, he stamped on her back and raised Wilt and Blush over his head to kill her.

Yang blasted towards him and punched him in the back of the head so hard that he tumbled off her, but as he rolled across the floor and Yang rushed him, he grabbed her by the throat and threw her against the floor with all his might. The ground exploded around her, and he slammed the blade towards her, digging it into her cybernetic arm. Sparks flew as it cut into the metal and her lilac eyes widened. He pulled her up and kicked her in the chest with his Taurus Foot.

Yang tumbled across the floor, landing beside Blake.

Adam glared at them with feral gritted teeth.

“He’s not going down without a fight.” Yang said to her, and Blake held Gambol Shroud tight.

“We can do this… this has to end here and now. Or he will never stop coming after us… he needs to learn that he cannot keep pursuing us.” Blake stated, and Yang nodded her head, standing tall and raising her fists.

Adam growled with fury, tightening his grip on Wilt and Blush.

He immediately blasted towards them once again, and they charged towards him as well.

 

Ren

 

In the Castle Chambers of Evernight…

Hazel clenched his hands into fists and he sprinted towards Nora and Oscar, swinging his fist at her, but Nora raised her hand, muscles charged by electricity, and the impact of his fist into her palm caused a shock wave. Oscar fired the chains of Thunderous Deception around his throat, yanking Hazel away and allowing Nora to throw Stormur Skeggox into his side. Hazel snarled in anger, ripping the axe from his artificial body and throwing it right back at her. It narrowly missed and lodged itself into the wall, so Nora spun Magni through her fingers.

Hazel reached back and grabbed the chain which wrapped around his throat and yanked Oscar towards him, punching him out of the air. As Oscar landed, he raised his boot to crush Oscar’s skull underneath, but Magni suddenly slammed into the side of Hazel’s head, throwing him against the wall with dominant force. He growled as he got back up, dazed from the sudden blunt impact, turning to see Nora with her hand held out and the huge glowing pink Battle Axe flew into her palm and she jumped high in the air. She roared with fury, but he raised his hand, catching the axe by the handle, and throwing Nora through the window.

The window exploded, but she dug her axe into the side of the cliff before she could fall off. Ren’s eyes widened. “NORA!” He screamed, but just as he went to help his wife, Icarus landed in front of him, Khopeshes in hand, chuckling sinisterly through his mechanical jaw.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked, mechanical wings splayed outwards, humming with energy. Ren aimed Stormflower at his foe with Li stood beside him, his old Bow already drawn. Li fired without hesitation, but Icarus cut the arrow down and flew towards them. He spun through the air, slashing his curved blades at them both and sliding across the table. Ren jumped and rolled across the table as well, firing his machine pistols at him. Icarus raised one of his metal wings in front of his body, blocking the incoming glowing green bullets with ease.

Li suddenly vaulted over his son’s shoulder and sprinted towards Icarus, spinning his staff through his fingers, sliding underneath Icarus’ incoming slash. He jumped upwards, punching him up the metal jaw with his cybernetic fist. Icarus grunted, staggering back a few steps and getting smashed across the face by the spin of Li’s Staff. Icarus blasted into the air and his wings gleamed as he hovered, before blasting towards the two of them and swinging the Khopesh towards Li’s throat. He hooked it underneath his neck and dragged the old warrior across the table, smacking Ren out of the way and throwing him against the wall.

His thrusters roared as he swiftly banked around the throne room, hovering high above them and pulling his grenades from his chest rig, throwing them down towards the Father and Son. They detonated and suddenly launched clustered grenades towards the two of them. “Look out!” Ren yelled, rolling out of the way before throwing Stormflower up at Icarus. He deflected the incoming weapon with his Khopesh, causing it to return to Ren, who effortlessly caught it.

Li jumped and flipped through the air, narrowly avoiding the grenades which shattered the large table they were standing on. Icarus suddenly launched himself towards them and he drove his wings into the ground where Ren was standing, only narrowly missing him. He ripped the wings from the ground, smashing the huge wing across Ren’s entire body, throwing him against the wall. As Ren slammed against the wall, suddenly one of the Undying Hatred Khopeshes slammed against his neck, pinning him there.

Li spun his staff through his fingers, pacing back and forth as Icarus stared him down. “Enough of this, Icarus. Leave my son out of this, this conflict you seek is between the two of us.” Li stated.

“Oh no, old man… you murdered my father… and you did this to me. Killing you is not enough, not yet… I will take your son from you. I will take your daughter-in-law and your unborn grandchild from you. And only then when you know you failed the only family you have left… will I grant you death.” Icarus snarled, Li scowled and pointed his staff at him.

“That… is not going to happen.” Li stated.

“I fail to see where you have a choice in the matter.” Icarus growled, before he blasted towards him and grabbed Li by the throat, smashing directly into Ren and shattering the entire wall. His Khopesh flew with him and landed in his hand as he carried both Father and Son high into the air.

Nora watched as she climbed back onto the cliff with wide eyes as Icarus flew high above them. “REN!” She screamed, turning to see Oscar being punched and blasted across the room by a lightning dust charged Hazel Rainart.

Up above them, Ren and Li both punched at Icarus as he carried them high above Evernight, and he launched the two of them into the tallest of the spires, which overlooked the entire Sanctum. The two crashed through the window and looked up to see him fly high above and suddenly fire multiple missiles from his thruster pack. They all spiralled towards them and they ducked down, bracing for the impact.

They all detonated upon impact, blowing the very top of the spire apart, throwing burning chunks of rubble down all around the castle, leaving only the floor intact…

… just like when Cinder and Pyrrha fought on Beacon Tower ten years ago.

“Are you okay?” Li asked his son, and Ren exhaled, coughing as the smoke hung in the air.

“Yeah…” Ren agreed, then they all looked up to see him hovering above, Undying Hatred in his grasp.

“Finally, after all these years, I will claim the revenge I have sought for so long. You shall face true horror…” Icarus promised, gripping his khopeshes tightly as he stared at them. “Now… burn.” He snarled.

Icarus blasted towards them and spun through the air, slashing at the two of them with Undying Hatred, firing off missiles at the same time. The missiles exploded and threw them both backwards. Ren stumbled and looked up to see Icarus going directly for him, kicking him in the chest towards the edge. Ren balanced as best he could, but Icarus slashed him across the chest with his razor sharp wings, then kicked him in the chest, throwing him off the edge.

The wind blew in his hair and he fired his grappling hook from Stormflower, swinging himself back up, directly into Icarus’ back, both feet colliding into his spine. He grunted in pain, staggering forward, and Ren slashed his dual blades across his body, rolling underneath the wing as he swung around.

Li drew his bow back, firing an arrow at him, aiming for the Protein Cannister in the jaw, but Icarus ducked, narrowly missing it. He snarled in anger and launched one of the Khopeshes towards the Old Warrior. He rolled out of the way and the Gravity Dust link called the weapon right back into his hand. Icarus shot high into the air, and came crashing back down, the shock wave knocking them both across the floor.

Ren fired his pistols at Icarus but he crossed his wings together, before thrusting outwards, throwing grenades in the process as well, before flying into the air, banking around the tower, before soaring directly at Ren, grabbing him by the collar and smashing him against the ground.

Li smashed Icarus across the face with his staff, knocking him back a few steps. Icarus snarled viciously as he stared them down, but the pair stood side by side, ready for whatever Icarus could throw at them.

Back in the Throne Room…

Hazel jumped in the air with his electrified fists held above his head, roaring with rage, his voice amplified by the energy that flowed through his veins from the crystals rammed into his shoulders. He slammed his fists down, creating a massive explosion of lightning, shattering the windows all around them, and Oscar slammed the Long Memory against the ground, forming a magical barrier to protect himself from the attack.

“Beware, Oscar… Hazel Rainart will not hold back. He knows what we are, and he has all the elements of Dust at his disposal.” Ozpin warned. “Should you ever need me to take over, just say the word.”

“Got it.” Oscar agreed, staring back at Hazel, who stood tall.

“You created me, Ozpin… made me a monster to suit your needs. A monster that could wield the Relic of Destruction… but you were wrong… even I could not hold the weapon and survive. I am nothing but a failure of your making… at least the only true victory I may find in this cruel life you birthed me into… is by destroying you.” Hazel snarled, lightning coursing through his veins and muscle.

“Salem is going to get everyone killed! The entire world will suffer if she kills the Gods, Hazel! I know you hate Ozpin for how he made you… and you’re right to. But how does serving Salem and helping her slaughter so many make things right?” Oscar questioned.

“It doesn’t… but Salem was the only one who gave me purpose. A reason to exist beyond the failure that I am. That alone is reason enough for me.” Hazel snarled.

“I’m sorry… but I cannot let Salem do what she is going to do.” Oscar replied.

“You are alone… even Ozpin controlling you will not be enough to stop me.” Hazel growled, fists clenched.

“Who said anything about being alone?” Oscar asked, smirking.

Hazel raised a brow.

“EYES ON ME, UGLY!” Nora yelled, charging Stormur Skeggox up and firing a powerful beam of pink energy at him. Hazel forced his shoulder into the beam, roaring in pain as it burned his coat away, leaving him shirtless in no time. Revealing all the scars and sewing marks from when Ozpin created him with dark magic.

Just as Salem did with him.

Nora ceased firing the beam and immediately took that moment to attack, blasting towards him and swinging the axe into his chest. The axe landed where the heart was, but it did not even make him flinch. He snarled with anger, grabbing onto the axe and ripping it from his chest, throwing her across the room. She rolled across the ground and Hazel swiftly grabbed onto the sizeable chunk of the table on the ground and thew it towards her. Nora swiftly transformed her axe into Grenade Launcher form, blowing it to smithereens first.

He jumped towards her with a berserk roar, smashing the ground where she was standing to pieces, but as she landed she threw the axe forward, making it spin around her thanks to the Gravity Dust connection her gauntlets had connected to the axe. It slashed across his chest, then she caught it and threw it into his shoulder. The impact was so hard it threw him across the room and against the wall.

Hazel reached into his pockets and pulled out Fire Dust Crystals, jamming them into his shoulders. His eyes ignited and his skin burned, charring over as he stood tall. He grabbed onto the chunks of rubble from the destroyed table and pressed his burning hands against them, turning them into magma and throwing the lava towards Nora.

She gasped and rolled aside, then her eyes widened as Hazel jumped into the air, forming a huge spear of fiery lightning in his hand and slamming it into the ground. The explosion launched Nora across the room and past Oscar. He gasped and turned to see Hazel grappling at him, only to miss as he rolled aside. Oscar smashed the head of Thunderous Deception into Hazel’s back before wrapping the chain around the chandelier above and swinging through the air. He swung his fists, blasting fire and bolts of lightning at him, blowing holes into the ceiling.

Chunks of ceiling came crashing down into the Throne Room, filling the Royal Chamber with dust. Oscar landed and looked around for Hazel, when he suddenly burst through the cloud of dust, punching him in the chest and through the double doors that he locked. The wooden doors shattered like glass, throwing splinters into the marble hallway.

Oscar tumbled across the floor and spun the Long Memory through his fingers and charged towards him, thrusting forward and smashing the cane across the side of Hazel’s face, sliding across the floor and extending Thunderous Deception, slamming the hammer down the top of his head. Hazel grunted, falling flat on the floor from the sudden impact.

He turned and punched the ground, ripping a chunk of smooth marble out of the floor and hurling it Oscar’s way. He rolled aside, but he then slammed his fists into the ground, erupting fire and lightning from beneath Oscar’s feet. The explosion threw him against one of the statues. And he rolled aside.

Hazel sprinted at him but Magni flew down the hallway, smashing against Hazel’s shoulder, causing him to stagger and turn around to see Nora blasting herself towards him. She transformed her Grenade Launcher into Axe Form, burying it into Hazel’s chest. She then blasted a grenade through the head of the axe and into his chest. The explosion threw Nora off him, flipping backwards. She landed on the side of one of the statues and fired another grenade down at him.

The explosion threw him against one of the statues, sending cracks up the side of it. Hazel panted, staring at Nora with gritted teeth.

“Fine, then…” He reached into his pockets and pulled out a crystal for all remaining elements, and to their horror, he jammed all of them into his body all at once. He threw his arms back and bellowed at the sky with primal fury. His roars echoed down the hall, and he stared at them with glowing gold eyes.

Nora landed beside Oscar and she spun her axe through her fingers. “He’s not going down without a fight.” Nora stated.

“No… he isn’t… Oz, we’re gonna need your help.” Oscar conceded.

He closed his eyes, and his body convulsed.

His eyes slowly opened, revealing the golden glow, and Ozpin smirked. Hazel gritted his teeth in fury when he realised, charged up on every single element of dust that existed.

“OZPIIIIIIIIN!”

 

Chapter 48: The Rage of War

Chapter Text

Marrow

 

“Warning: Critical Damage detected.”

The automated voice repeated the same sentence repeatedly throughout the entire Dreadnaught. Marrow aimed Fetch down the hallway, with Fiona beside him, also aiming her Crossbow ahead. Vine walked behind them, keeping an eye on their rear to make sure that no enemy reinforcements sneak up on them.

“Dutch, how are we looking?” Marrow inquired.

“Looks like sending that Wasp into the Dreadnaught like that really caused a ruckus. Most of their troops are headed there, but remember to expect resistance.” Dutch warned.

“Solid copy.” Marrow answered. He pressed his shoulder against the wall, listening carefully down the next hall, whilst Fiona rolled across the gap to do the same, crossbow tightly in her grasp.

“How far are we from the Bridge?” Fiona inquired.

“Not far, maybe five minutes away if we’re lucky.” Marrow answered. They both quickly proceeded down the hallway, weapons at the ready in case anyone tried to attack. He kept his finger close to the trigger, waiting to pull it if he needed to. They walked further into the hall until Dutch’s voice made them jump.

“Incoming!”

Suddenly a flashbang grenade was thrown in front of them from their left, bouncing off the wall and detonating in their faces.

The sudden flash nearly knocked Marrow and Fiona off their feet, as Black Gallows soldiers sprinted around the corner, already firing their weapons at them. Marrow grunted as bullets slashed across his aura protected body, and he scrambled backwards, firing back at them despite still being blinded by the white flash. Fiona struggled to get back up but Vine swiftly extended his aura, grabbing onto them both and pulling them away, before clasping his hands together and spreading the arms outwards, casting a wall of golden aura between them and the soldiers.

“Get ready!” Vine yelled, blocking the bullets from hitting the two of them. They rubbed their eyes and shook off the stun from the grenades. Fiona winced as she held her ear, still hearing the ringing of the flashbang, causing her immense pain. But she shook it off and in time it faded away, replacing her pain with frustration.

“That was cheap.” Marrow scoffed, transforming Fetch into its Boomerang Blade form. Vine slammed his hands back together, collapsing the wall of aura, allowing Marrow to sprint forward and throw Fetch towards the Raven Talons. It spun through the air, slashing through the barrel of one soldier’s gun, and returned to him. He jumped and pushed off the wall, and with both hands, he cut through the soldier’s body.

The Raven Talon collapsed to the ground, blood pouring from the deep open wound, and Marrow swiftly spun around, deflecting the incoming bullets. A crossbow bolt shot into the throat of one of the soldiers aiming at him, grabbing the other’s attention. He turned and fired an electrified cable towards Fiona as she sprinted at him, suddenly throwing a crate she stored in her aura from the Hangar at him. The crash knocked the soldier off his feet and then she jumped and drove the blades of her Crossbow-Staff into his chest.

A Raven Talon punched her in the face and kicked her in the chest, forcing her against the wall. She grunted and her enormous eyes widened as the soldier swung the blade towards her throat, but she smashed her Staff against his arm, knocking him to the side and driving the blade into the wall just by her ear. She gritted her teeth and kicked him in the gut with both feet, before spiralling her staff through her fingers, scraping the blades across his armoured chest piece, before throwing the staff into his ribs, pinning him to the wall.

Marrow rolled across the floor, aiming down the hallway at the lesser equipped Sable Guard that sprinted towards them, shooting their pistols at them. He fired precise shots down the hall at them, killing them instantly with perfect headshots. Vine walked past the dead soldiers, not even looking at them as they continued through the ship. They entered another large room, what looked to be an Operations Room where the Operators immediately took cover behind their desks.

But a Trojan Droid emerged, staring at them, its voice made of distorted sounds as it snarled. And it was not alone. The doors opened and more soldiers sprinted in. “We’ve located the infiltrators! Eliminate them!” The Ebony Sabre commanded, aiming his massive machine gun at them. He opened fire on them from the highest point of the room, with a Marksman up there as well in the rafters, firing off a round every few seconds, trying to nail one of them.

Marrow sprinted through the Operations Centre, grabbing onto one of the tables and flipping it over to take cover from incoming gunfire. He aimed over the cover, shooting at the enemies, nailing a Raven Talon in the chest. But as he fired, the Trojan suddenly blasted towards him across the room, smashing through the tables and grabbing him by the throat. It lifted him off the floor and effortlessly tossed him into the wall, spreading cracks across it.

“Eliminating contact.” The Trojan emotionlessly said, walking towards him and channelling electrical energy through its mechanical form. The chest plates slid apart, revealing the cyclonic core inside, which charged up to the max before firing a thick beam of concentrated energy towards him. He rolled aside and sprinted as fast as he could as the beam cut clean through the walls. He aimed at the machine, shooting at it repeatedly to try to hit it somewhere soft.

But the Trojan ceased the attack, and the plates closed back up, and he saw its Hardlight Shields come back online. He reached behind its back and grabbed the rifle attached to it, aiming at him, and opening fire. He slid across the floor and pressed his back against the pillar, waiting for an opportunity.

Vine extended his reach with his aura, swinging across the room and going straight for the Onyx Consul. The Marksman fired at him but missed as he got closer, and she rolled out of the way just as he punched into the wall where she just was. She aimed at him, but he grabbed onto the rifle with his extensions, effortlessly yanking the gun from her grip, swinging it into the side of her head so hard that the helmet broke apart from the impact. He looked down and his eyes widened. The Ebony Sabre beneath him chuckled, firing a missile into the rafters where he and the sniper were in, blowing them apart and throwing him through the air.

He extended his aura and grabbed onto the arm of the mechanised suit, pulling himself towards the heavyweight trooper, only for the Ebony Sabre to extend a long blade from the other arm and thrust towards his chest. Vine dropped, narrowly avoiding it, and rolling across the floor towards the soldier. He threw his Shiruken at the soldier, slashing across the helmet and making the Sabre stagger backwards.

Vine extended his arms and grabbed onto the soldier’s shoulders, yanking him downwards and flipping backwards, kicking the soldier up the jaw so hard it cracked the visor. The Ebony Sabre snarled with anger, firing a storm of bullets towards Vine.

Down below in the centre of the facility, Fiona slid across one of the tables and slammed both feet into one of the soldiers, staggering him across the floor. She jumped off the table and fired a bolt into the eye of the Raven Talon, landing on his body and spinning her Staff through her fingers, deflecting incoming bullets from behind her. She kicked his machine gun from the corpse and caught it in her hands, firing it back at the Raven Talon behind her.

Suddenly a Shadow Dagger sprinted around the tables towards her and slashed downwards, Fiona raised her Staff up and caught the blades, dropping to one knee. He glared at her with a vicious snarl, pushing the blades closer and closer to her neck, until she smashed the handle of her staff against his helmeted head, and rolling away, resting the staff over her shoulder and firing at the swift soldier. He cut the bolt down before it could even reach before jumping atop the table and firing the sub-machine gun he had on his hip at her.

She spun the staff through her fingers once again, until he jumped towards her, cutting across her chest and slamming her against the ground. She rolled to the left just as he stabbed at where her head just was, and rushed towards him, ramming the blades of her staff straight through his chest and into the wall.

The Shadow Dagger groaned in pain before dying, making her pant with relief.

Marrow ducked as the Trojan smashed its heavy mechanical fist into the wall where his head just was and retaliated with a hard strike across its head with the blade of Fetch. He rolled aside as it punched at him again, then charged up its cyclonic core once again, firing it at him. It cut across the room, accidentally killing two Raven Talons, and Marrow took the opportunity and fired a full magazine of bullets into the Trojan’s chest. Sparks and blue flames erupted from its chest, and the core went critical.

The spinning core of energy blasted arcs of electricity through the metal, slicing it apart from the inside before detonating in a tremendous explosion, killing all the computers and the lights, making it go dark. The Ebony Sabre staggered back as his armour was hit by the Electromagnetic Pulse and Vine grunted, falling to one knee. But he quickly restored his systems, staring at the Heavy Weapons soldier and he jumped over him, grabbing onto the back plates with his aura extended arms and ripped them off with all his might, revealing the inner workings.

He drove Thorn into the cables, tearing them apart and reaching inside to yank the pilot from the armour. The soldier slid across the floor but Vine swiftly knocked him unconscious with a hard punch to the face, and the Ebony Sabre armour slowly tipped over, crashing against the floor with a loud boom.

“Everyone okay?” Fiona asked as she looked around, the light slowly coming back on. The Operators shuddered as they looked around, and Marrow turned to all the Non-Combatants.

“If I were all of you, I’d leave. This is over.” Marrow stated until he heard the sound of a gun cock in his direction. He turned and stared at one of the afraid Operators aiming a pistol at him, shaking erratically. Marrow could tell he was just scared and didn’t know what else he could do.

He held his hands above his head, after setting Fetch down on the table. “Put the gun down, sir.” Marrow requested.

“I can’t… if he knows we let you go… he’d kill us all…” The Operator stammered.

“Who’s he talking about?” Fiona asked.

“Killian! We don’t know where he is, but… the man has gone off the rails…” the Operator stammered. They all looked at each other, and Marrow lowered his arms.

“Killian is dead.” He revealed, and that caught all their attention.

“W-What?” He stammered.

“He died before this battle… he was going to bomb Argus and Menagerie alongside setting off those bombs under the four Kingdoms. We had to stop him… but you have my word on this. Killian is dead… and we’re ending this today. You can have my word on that as well.” Marrow promised.

“M-My… my family won’t be hurt?” He stammered.

“He really threatened your families?” Fiona asked.

“When you see him carry out the slaughtering of so many children six years ago… you know he’d be capable of anything.” The Operator stammered, still shakily pointing the gun at Marrow.

“If we get to the Bridge, the Black Gallows will be no more. They will be nothing more than a memory…” Marrow promised. “And that I can definitely guarantee you can have my word on.”

The Operator stammered, then he lowered the gun, setting it on the table, nodding his head. “Get out of here, get in the escape pods, and get as far away from here as possible. There are some camps on the outskirts that will accept you if you surrender. There are plenty who know that not all the Black Gallows are evil and many are just victims… like me.” Marrow explained, and the Operator nodded.

“O-Okay… come on everyone! Let’s go!” The Operator agreed, and as they ran, a woman stopped by Marrow’s side.

“Burn the place down. It’s time for the Gallows itself to experience what it’s like to do the Hanging.” She said, before running with the others.

“Heh… I like that.” Marrow chuckled in agreement, continuing to run further into the ship, unaware that the cameras were back online now, and were watching their every move.

 

Lavinia

 

The Winter Maiden blasted high into the air, shooting beams of frost from her hand, blasting a Wasp out of the air. It spun out of control as the fragments of hardened ice came plummeting into the ground with a fiery explosion. The Fully Realised Maiden held out her arms and closed her eyes, summoning a horde of huge roots tunnelling through the sand towards the Black Gallows soldiers entrenched ahead. The roots wrapped around their bodies, snapping their limbs and crushing them alive. Before it snapped their necks, the soldiers screamed in pain.

She flew towards them and pummelled her fist into the ground, detonating a tremendous explosion of ice and lightning, shattering the soldiers all around her. The lightning burnt across the tanks in position behind her, toppling them over and even blowing the turret off one of them. The huge turret skipped across the terrain into the distance.

Lavinia stood tall, staring at the Black Gallows, who aimed their weapons at her. More Trojans slammed down from above in their pods, standing tall and firing machine guns at her. She flicked her hand upwards, forming a wall of thick ice to absorb the bullets whilst her forces advanced against them. Their Grav-Tanks and trucks roared across the dead land and immediately opened fire on the Black Gallows. The Tanks shot enormous shells of fire dust into the enemies ahead, breaking their positions.

As Lavinia stood her ground, one of the Trojans suddenly launched its heavy mechanical body straight through the ice and punched her in the face. She grunted in pain, tumbling across the ground, digging her fingers into the sand to slow herself down and blasting back towards it. She grabbed the machine under the chin and dragged it across the floor, tearing a trench in the land. She threw it ahead of her and fired multiple icicles towards the Trojan. They smashed against the metal upon contact and made the Hardlight Shields flicker in the process.

She turned to see another one was sprinting towards her and shot its machine gun at her. She flew into the air and darkened the sky, throwing lightning towards the machine beneath her feet.

Underneath her, the Vasillias Cartel continued their assault against the Black Gallows. Mercenaries took cover, keeping their heads down as bullets whistled through the air. “We can’t keep up against this kind of punishment!” One of the Mercs yelled.

“We just need to buy our Infiltrators more time! Once that virus is uploaded, the Black Gallows are history!” The other Merc responded, aiming over the sand and firing a bullet through the skull of a soldier. He turned to see another one of their men being shot, luckily not fatally. He grunted as he tumbled across the floor, grabbing his shoulder.

He reached to his scroll and contacted the nearest Dreadnaught. “We need Air Support on the painted coordinates!” He yelled, aiming his laser pointer at the area where the Black Gallows had them pinned down. Mounted turrets were constantly shooting at them, cutting down soldier after soldier no matter how fast they tried to advance, and he looked to his left to see one of their armoured trucks bouncing across the sand, the machine gun on top firing at the Raven Talons in the trenches. But the heavier turrets blew it to pieces, tossing the burning wreckage into the air, sliding across the sand.

“Solid copy, firing Broadsides in five seconds. Danger Close, Danger Close!” The Dreadnaught Admiral responded.

“DANGER CLOSE!” The soldier yelled to the other Mercs, all of which ducked under the trenches as the huge Dreadnaught above them shifted across the sky, the ten Broadside Cannons built into its side aiming towards the coordinates. The Black Gallows soldiers realised too late what was coming, and the flashes of them firing made the Raven Talons scatter like flies.

Shells howled across the sky, exploding and rattling the entire landscape around them, fragmenting their defences and turrets, wiping the enemy forces out in a few seconds. Huge clumps of black sand were thrown high in the air by the massive explosions. All the Vasillias Cartel soldiers had to cover their ears from the deafening roar of the cannons blowing that area apart.

But as their Allied Dreadnaught continued to fire, suddenly missiles exploded against its hardlight shields, forcing it to change targets. Joanna looked to the sky to see the Shadow of Broken Promises was firing everything it had at them, flying towards the Vasillias Ships with the rest of its fleet. Shells exploded in the sky as they battled, with Wasps pursuing Bullheads and other Combat Aircraft.

“Joanna!” May called out, and she turned to see who had just arrived.

“Aww shit…” She sighed.

“Well, well, Elm… looks like it’s time for a round two.” Harriet chuckled after darting across the battlefield in a trail of gold electricity. Elm smirked, spinning her huge Hammer through her fingers, resting it on her shoulders.

“Good, I was hoping to have another crack at these two.” Elm stated.

“Couldn’t have put it better myself.” Joanna snarled, cracking her neck. May and Joanna charged towards the two Ace Ops Huntresses, and they ran at the Happy Huntresses.

May against Harriet.

Joanna against Elm.

Lavinia slammed into the ground nearby, creating an enormous explosion of elemental energy, knocking one of the Trojans back, whilst the other pushed its heavy metal shoulder into the shock wave, only its Hardlight Shields flickering from the attack. It stood tall and extended a blade from its arm, slashing so hard and fast towards her that it also sent forward arcs of electrical energy towards her. She rolled aside to dodge the first and blasted another bolt of lightning at it.

The electricity coursed across the shielded body, but then it absorbed that energy into its systems, and the plates opened around its chest. The cyclonic core immediately fired a beam towards her, but she formed an Ice Sword, deflecting the incoming beam of energy, carving it across the ground before throwing the sword towards its chest. It cleverly closed the armour plating just in time, but she retaliated by throwing a fireball into the body before it could reactivate its shields.

The explosion broke off multiple plates of armour and sent it sliding down the slope. She flew after it and grabbed onto the back of its head, smashing it against the floor over and over to damage it. Until the second Trojan launched itself into her side from the left, tumbling down the slope with her. She rocketed into the air again, throwing gigantic balls of ice she conjured at them. The Trojan cut them in half every single time before extending an electrified cable from its other arm and swinging it up towards her, wrapping the cable around her body and slamming her against the ground with substantial force.

The Trojan jumped high in the air with a thrust from its feet and smashed its fist into the ground where her head just was, and as she rolled out of the way onto her back, she blasted two bolts of lightning into its chest. The blast threw the Trojan against the wall of sand, and she held her hands towards the Trojan as sand fell over it, and she blasted flames into the sand, melting it into obsidian.

The Trojan crackled as it tried to break free, giving her time to focus on the other, which was already right behind her. It slashed at her with its blade, only narrowly missing when she dodged it, and forming both an ice and fire sword. She slashed across the hardlight shields and dashed backwards to bait it into using its Cyclonic Beam again. And luckily, whilst the droids were smarter than Atlesian Knights, they were still predictable.

It did indeed open its chest and charged up its laser. Lavinia took that as her opportunity, and threw her fire sword into the core, detonating it and eradicating the Trojan from the inside. The Droid detonating in an electrical explosion, throwing chunks of broken metal everywhere. The other ripped free from the glass, immediately slashing its electrical cable at her, only narrowly missing her, but this time she caught the cable and took the pain. She yanked it forward so hard that she ripped the cable from its arm and flew towards it, wrapping it around one of its arms and flying overhead. The swivel its arm could turn on snapped instantly, and with a hard tug, the arm shattered instantly.

She flew past it as it stumbled across the sand and found the Hardlight Shield Generator in its back and smashed her fist straight through it, ripping the cables and even some cells of Hardlight Dust from the pack, tossing it across the floor. The Trojan spun around on the spot, using the swivel it had in the centre of its torso, and punched Lavinia across the face with its other arm.

Even with her Aura and Maiden Powers, that nearly knocked her unconscious.

As she slid across the ground, she stared ahead at the Trojan as it sprinted towards her, then lifted massive roots from the ground which pierced between its plates and tunnelled inside of its body. The Trojan glared at it as the roots pulled cables apart, and finally, she yanked them apart, ripping the Trojan to ribbons from the inside, eventually detonating in an explosion.

“Gods, I hate those things.” She sighed.

On the other side of the battle, Joanna rolled across the sand, narrowly avoiding the incoming missiles from Elm’s Rocket launcher, but she immediately got upright and jumped, smashing her knee into Elm’s face. The massive Huntress was thrown back across the floor, crashing against the floor with sand kicked up around them. Joanna rushed towards her, firing her Crossbow at her, but Elm deflected it with the hammer as it transformed, and she swung it towards Joanna’s face.

She raised her Crossbow Staff, but the impact knocked the weapon from her grasp, sending it crashing across the floor. Elm punched Joanna extremely hard in the gut before swinging around and smashing her across the side of the face with her hammer. Joanna grunted, her body skipping across the sand like a stone across water. As she rolled to a stop, Elm jumped towards her with a furious roar. Hammer held above her head as she swung downwards.

Joanna rolled to the left and as Elm crashed into the ground like a meteor, she swiftly punched Elm in the side of the head, hooking one arm under her jaw and throwing her against the floor. Elm grunted and swung her hammer, dragging the head of it across the sand before smashing it downwards towards Joanna. She held up both hands, stopping the Hammer, nearly falling to one knee in the process. She ripped the hammer from Elm’s grasp and threw it across the battlefield to even the odds.

Elm reached out for her hammer, only for Joanna to punch her in the centre of her face once again, making the Ace Ops Huntress stagger back. She gritted her teeth and scoffed. “Alright then… old fashioned way it is.” Elm accepted, raising her fists, and Joanna did the same.

May grunted as Harriet shot across the sand and punched her across the cheek, and before she could even stop stumbling from that punch, she swiftly did the same thing again, hitting her from behind. May rolled across the ground and looked around for her, then spotted her atop one of the rocks. “Gods… who the hell trained you? You call yourself a Huntress?” Harriet scoffed. May narrowed her eyes and spun her Staff through her fingers, watching the Ace Ops member, keeping her senses sharp.

“Lemme show you what it means to really be a Huntress.” Harriet stated, darting forward at her, but May smirked and vanished into thin air. Harriet swung and her eyes widened, remembering that was her semblance.

“Oh… you were saying? I would have thought you’d remember to never underestimate your enemy… and to remember what an enemy you’ve fought before is capable of.” May’s voice chuckled, sounding like she was all around her. May appeared behind Harriet, smashing her Staff across the side of her head, sending her tumbling across the sand, and swiftly shooting a Crossbow Bolt at her. Harriet smacked it out of the air and rushed towards her, but May quickly stood aside and cut down the back of her leg, causing Harriet to roll through the sand once again. “Oh, I’m sorry… did I stomp on your parade?”

“Shut up!” Harriet yelled, launching herself towards May and smashing both fists into the ground, creating a pulse of electricity which pushed her back. May slid across the sand, then swiftly deflected her incoming punches. Harriet swiped her leg across May’s knocking her to the floor and punched down into her chest, smashing May against the floor. Harriet then grabbed May by the collar and sprinted at full speed across the battlefield, dragging the Happy Huntress with her and throwing her into the wall.

May grunted, and Harriet immediately smashed her arm against her throat, pinning her to the wall. “All of this will be for nothing. You have all lost!” Harriet yelled.

“Did you never learn when to shut your trap?” May yelled back, whacking her head against Harriet’s. The Hare snarled and immediately went to punch her in the face with her Exo-Enhanced fist, only to miss now that May had disappeared once again. A crossbow bolt suddenly shot into her back, exploding and throwing Harriet against the wall. As she smashed into the trench wall, May suddenly appeared, slamming her staff against her throat, pushing her up the wall. “You betrayed everything the Huntsmen and Huntresses stood for…” May snarled.

May twisted and grabbed Harriet by the throat, and slammed her against the ground. Harriet kicked into her chest with both feet, and flipped backwards, raising her fists.

May smirked, spinning her Staff through her fingers.

 

Ghira

 

The Grimm just kept coming.

One by one they continued to pour out of the Tar Pits, and more massive beasts were emerging as well. Ghira roared with rage, effortlessly cleaving a Beowulf in half with his clawed hands, digging them deep into the black flesh and tearing it in two. He turned his gaze with wide eyes as Leviathans tore through their forces, burning them alive with the beams they shot from their Crocodilian Jaws. But one of them roared with rage as missiles exploded against the side of its head when a Bullhead flew past with Rocket Launcher Soldiers firing at it constantly.

It swung its huge hand at the vehicle and smashed one of the wings apart, causing it to spin out of control and plummet into the Lake of Tar. The soldiers screamed in terror and agony as creepy Grimm Hands and claws grabbed onto them and dragged them into the deep to be consumed by the destructive power of this Primordial Form of Death. It was terrifying to watch their people be cut down so effortlessly like this, bringing back so many memories of the last Revolution attempt years ago.

But he hardened himself to the death and roared with rage. “Don’t give up! Keep fighting!” Because with every person they lost more reinforcements from across the Globe were arriving, Faunus and Human alike, fighting for their common survival against the Queen of Darkness.

Ghira sprinted across the battlefield towards the Feral Ones, who were also being deployed alongside the Grimm. Under Salem’s command the Grimm knew not to attack the Feral Ones, which made matters even harder. As he rushed towards them, they fired their machine guns at him whilst Beowulves also charged towards him. But as the Beowulf swiped its claws at his face, he grabbed it by the throat and turned it around, using it as a meat shield to block the incoming bullets.

The Beowulf howled in pain as its body was shredded by incoming bullets, and the Feral Ones felt great fear as the massive man got closer and closer. He suddenly threw the beast towards the Feral Ones, knocking three of them over and jumping towards the two still on their feet. He grabbed the rifle of one and ripped it from his grasp, smashing it across the face of the other.

The now disarmed soldier went to reach for his knife, but Ghira grabbed him by the throat, lifting him off the floor and throwing him against the ground so hard it knocked him unconscious. If he was given the option, he would always choose to incapacitate rather than slay, but only if he had that option. As the other soldier showed, drawing a sword and slashing it at him. He grabbed onto the hand which held the sword, digging his claws into his wrist to make him drop the sword. But he still drew his pistol to shoot him in the chest, forcing him to ram the sword into his ribs.

The Feral One crashed to the floor with blood pooling from his wound.

The last three stood up, until Ilia suddenly vaulted over Ghira’s shoulder and drop-kicked one of the soldiers in the face, sending him flying back. She wrapped Lightning Lash around one of the Feral Ones’ throat, shocking him with the electrical dust built into the weapon, and kicked the other in the knee. As he tried to get up, she released the now unconscious soldier she shocked and smashed the blunt end of her weapon against the side of his head, directly against the temple, knocking him out instantly.

The last soldier yelled with rage, drawing both pistols and firing them at her. Ilia slashed Lightning Lash swiftly, deflecting every bullet before extending it into blade form, skewering through his heart and killing him instantly. She panted, turning to Ghira, who nodded his head at her.

Nearby, Sienna and Kali continued to battle against the Grimm together.

Sienna swung Cerberus’ Whip forward, launching explosive blades from the links towards the Sabyrs which sprinted towards her, roaring savagely, but the second the blades stabbed into their bodies, they detonated and blew the Grimm apart, throwing chunks of bone and black flesh across the terrain. She swiftly swung her chain forward and wrapped it around the throat of an Ursa Major and pulled herself towards it and rolled across its shoulder. As she landed behind it, she yanked it to the ground, causing it to fall and get stuck in the sand thanks to its elongated spines.

She jumped over it and snapped the beast’s neck with the chain, landing on the other side of it. Sienna turned as Apathy continued to emerge from the pools of Tar, screeching at the White Fang soldiers, breaking their will completely so Grimm could feed on their broken bodies. She gritted her teeth and launched more explosive blades towards the Apathy, effortlessly killing them, but the Grimm continued to flood the battlefield.

Spinescorchers also reappeared from the Lake, roaring as they attacked their forces, burning them alive with their lethal attacks. Sienna looked around as more Grimm surrounded her, snarling savagely, but she just cracked her neck and waited for the beasts to make their first move. The Beowulf went first, jumping at her, but she slashed it out of the air with her whip, and twirled on the spot, smashing the head of a Creep into the ground so hard that the armoured skull cracked upon contact.

Sienna rolled backwards as a Centinel suddenly lunged for her, snapping its pincers at where she just was, then rearing up and shooting acidic blood from its jaws at her. She rolled once again and sprinted towards the beast. She wrapped her chain around its body and yanked back, folding it double over its own spine, splitting it in half. As she looked around, she gasped as a Manticore flew towards her, blasting a fireball at her. It narrowly missed and as she turned, she threw the chain upwards, wrapping it around its wing.

With a hard tug, a bone crunched in the wing, sending the beast crashing into the ground. It stumbled back to its feet, swinging its long scorpion tail at her, but she slid across the sand and threw another blade with ice loaded into it, freezing the other wing solid. She jumped towards it and smashed it with the chain. The Manticore roared with immense pain before she threw another explosive blade down its gullet, detonating it inside of its throat.

The skull of the beast exploded, spraying black blood everywhere.

Kali, on the other hand, stood her ground as the beasts surrounded her, with her dual swords gripped tightly in her hands. A Boarbatusk grunted as it paced back and forth, before it suddenly spun and launched towards her, but she rolled aside and as it crashed against one of the rocks, she rammed one of her blades into its chest, killing it instantly. She ripped the blade free, coated in thick black blood. A Beowulf jumped towards her but she stabbed it through the chest with them both, pushing it away.

She rolled backwards and slashed through the throat of an Apathy which nearly snuck up on her, killing it before it could even screech at her. The call of more Grimm echoed as they came for her. She saw Griffin’s glide across the sky and they were headed in her direction. One of them swung its talons at her, but she cut downwards, cleaving through its wing in one hard swing. The beast smashed into the ground so hard that the impact alone killed it, but the other Griffin landed and slid across the floor behind her.

It wasted no time in trying to swallow her whole, but she rammed both swords into its mouth, forcing them to stay open, before she rolled aside and directed the creature to fall into the sand. It stumbled, writhing on the floor as it tried to get back up, but she threw one of her swords directly into the creature’s eye. After retrieving the sword from its eye, the ground suddenly exploded and her eyes widened as a Blind Worm reared back, roaring at her.

She gripped her swords tight and the creature spat a concentrated beam of acid at her, melting rocks wherever it landed. But she sprinted around the creature. She rolled forward just as it dove back into the ground, pursuing her towards the rocks that went upwards. She clambered up them and the Blind Worm erupted beneath her, screeching as it spat more acid up at her.

But she smirked and jumped off the rocks early and dove towards the beast, stabbing it through the mouth. It shrieked in immense pain, swinging its body around as it tried to be free from her, but she reached into her pocket and dropped a live grenade in its throat, kicking off its face.

The grenade exploded, blowing its skull apart, and the body fell silent and lifeless, crashing in front of Kali, not even flinching as the titan landed before her.

 

Vernal

 

The Summit’s Claim Warriors held their ground at the Foot of Evernight.

With Team C.F.V at their side, Vernal and Sashaa continued to hold the Grimm off as they continued to attack. Vernal slashed Wind and Fire across the bodies of two Beowulves, before rolling backwards to shoot them both in the head. She sprinted and jumped on top of one of the steps, firing down at the Apathy, which were still coming out of the pools of Grimm, slowly trying to break the soldiers.

Bullets shot across the sky and Vernal turned to see Coco, Velvet and Fox stood back to back, fighting off the Grimm together. Coco roared with rage as she shredded incoming Nevermores down to nothing with Gianduja, and Velvet formed Yatsuhashi’s beloved Fulcrum with Anesidora. Velvet yelled as she cut three Sabyrs down in one hard swing, and Fox roared with fury, slashing through a Beowulf’s throat with Sharp Retribution. The Grimm stumbled as blood poured from the open wound, and he jumped forward, driving both blades into its chest.

They’re still coming…” Fox sent to the rest of his team. Coco transformed Gianduja into its handbag form as a Howler Grimm jumped from one of the crystals towards her, slashing its claws at her face, only narrowly missing.

“Come on, then, you little bastard!” Coco yelled, smashing the bag across its face so hard that its canine snapped instantly from the attack. She kicked it in the knee and as it fell, she swung her bag downwards against the top of its skull, so hard it killed the beast instantly.

“Look out!” Velvet called out, shifting from Fulcrum to Crescent Rose, a weapon that was lost a very long time ago. She transformed it into sniper rifle mode, firing a precise shot which hit a Griffin through the eye in one shot. The beast crashed against the side of the castle, smashing through one of the windows.

Coco turned with wide eyes when hearing the nearby roar of Adam Taurus from above, seeing him jumping in the air and slashing arcs of red energy towards Blake and Yang, where they were still fighting. Part of her wanted to give them some backup, but she knew they had to keep the Grimm from following them into the castle.

The Children of Salem were dangerous enough even without Grimm biting at their heels.

Nearby, Sashaa fought with her people from the Summit’s Claim.

Altum Eagles continued to battle as well, slashing their talons across their bodies, and the Archers fired their Elemental Arrows for their Eagles to grab onto just as Dulcis did. They ignited into Phoenixes, burning the Grimm to ash as they flew overhead, thinning the numbers a great deal. Sashaa fired shot after shot after finding a good vantage point, getting headshot after headshot thanks to her precise aiming.

Vernal sprinted ahead, throwing Fire forward and the spinning circular blade instantly beheaded a Beowulf, causing it to collapse to the ground. But she stayed with their forces, looking around.

“Are you sure they can handle them?” Coco asked her.

“They’ve fought the people in that castle before… we have to trust them.” Vernal stated, and Coco sighed.

“It’s always something huge with these guys, I swear.” Coco chuckled.

 

Marrow

 

“Okay, you’re close. That next door leads to the bridge. Expect heavy resistance!” Dutch warned, but the three of them continued to sprint towards the door. Vine approached the lock, and he crouched down, hacking into it so they could gain access to it. Fiona looked up at the cameras and she narrowed her eyes, knowing that someone was definitely waiting for them behind that door.

“C’mon, c’mon…” Marrow was bouncing on his toes with nervous anticipation.

The doors finally opened, and he felt his blood run cold.

He was immediately shot in the chest; the impact sent him flying across the floor. If not for his aura, he would have been killed. He groaned in pain, his blue aura faintly shimmering. Vine did not even flinch, just scowled at who it was. Marrow stared back at him and Fiona ran to his side, helping him back up.

“Well, well… look who it is. I had a feeling you traitors would show up.” Clover chuckled, shaking his head as he lowered his gun. He had a pair of Obsidian Glaives beside him, armed to the teeth and ready for a tense battle.

“Step aside, Clover. This does not need to go this way… the Black Gallows… Salem… all of it ends tonight. It’s time for Remnant to blossom with a new and better future.” Vine stated.

“There is no future without the Black Gallows. No security… no order… you destroy us and Remnant has nothing.” Clover stated.

“How about peace?” Fiona interjected.

“Things were perfectly peaceful until everyone decided they wanted more than what their Queen had given them.” Clover said.

“Tell that to all the children the Black Gallows slaughtered… my friends… your friends.” Marrow reminded, pointing at him. Clover narrowed his eyes with anger. “The Black Cells messed us up… messed you up… but I haven’t forgotten who I am. Or what I stand for.” He stated, aiming Fetch at him. “So step aside… do the right thing.”

Clover scoffed, shaking his head, and drawing his Fishing Rod.

“No.” Clover snarled, Marrow closed his eyes with grief, knowing how this had to end.

“Then you’ve made your choice.”

Chapter 49: Out of Time

Chapter Text

Marrow

 

Clover lunged for Marrow without hesitation, swinging his Fishing Line towards him and wrapping it around his arm. The Ace Ops Leader yelled with fury, aggressively reeling him closer and punching Marrow in the face with his Horseshoe. Marrow grunted, rolling across the floor, but swiftly drawing Fetch and firing at Clover as he walked towards him. Fiona swung towards Clover until the blade of an Obsidian Glaive extended, transforming into a bladed lasso and wrapping around her forearm. She grunted but the Obsidian Glaive swung her around, tossing her up against the ceiling of the Bridge, crashing down against the floor.

The other Obsidian Glaive shot towards Vine, but he caught the Sceptre with his Aura Extended hand, stopping the blade in its tracks. He jumped and spun through the air before slamming both boots against the Glaive’s chest, sending him crashing into some of the Operators, forcing them out of their seats.

Clover charged towards Marrow, deflecting the bullets by spinning the line of his fishing rod with great speed, activating the Hardlight Dust particles inside of the line. Every single time it rotated, it left a trail of Hardlight Dust in its path, creating a weak barrier that could deflect bullets away. Marrow relentlessly fired at him, until Clover suddenly slashed the hook across Marrow’s chest, then flipped forward, smashing his heel downwards at his head. Only narrowly missing, as he rolled backwards once again.

Fetch transformed in his grasp into its Boomerang Blade form and he launched it towards the Mad Huntsman, slicing across his blue aura. Clover grunted and ducked down, aiming his pistol at him. He fired multiple shots at Marrow, but he sprinted, dodging the incoming bullets as best as he could. Clover charged forward once again and tackled him to the floor, punching him hard in the face. “Goddamn traitor! I should have killed you when I had the chance!” Clover snarled.

Marrow gritted his teeth and kicked him in the chest, rolling backwards and sliding his weapon into his hand, firing a few more bursts at him. He continued to back up away from Clover, who continued to follow him. “You’re right. You should have… and now you’re gonna pay the price.” Marrow stated.

Clover scoffed.

“Am I? I’m the Leader of the Ace Ops! THE BEST OF THE BEST!” Clover roared. “You don’t stand a chance.”

“Confidence is quiet… pity that you’re not.” Marrow challenged. Clover roared, eyes wide with hatred as he threw his Horseshoe towards Marrow again, but this time he deflected it, and jumped towards him, smashing the blade of Fetch down the side of Clover’s face, making him stagger backwards. Clover swung his Fishing Pole forward, wrapping it around his arms, before sprinting towards Marrow and rolling across his back, and throwing Marrow ahead of him towards the doors.

The doors broke open, and he tumbled down the metal stairs, now deafened by the howl of the massive Drive Core in the centre of the Dreadnaught that the Bridge was very close to. He rolled down the stairs and turned to see the cycling core flowing with powerful reserves of dust energy. Clover jumped overhead, landing on the catwalk behind him, spinning his Horseshoe around his finger with a smirk.

“This is where you die, dog.” Clover growled.

“Man, shut the hell up.” Marrow sighed, sprinting towards Clover with fury.

Back in the bridge, Fiona spiralled her Staff through her fingers to deflect the incoming bullets from the Corrupted Huntsman. She laughed through the helmet, which distorted her voice, aiming the cybernetically attached gun to her arm. She fired more bullets at her, but Fiona swiftly fired at the Obsidian Glaive, but she deflected the incoming bullet before jumping back onto the smoother floor above the Operators.

She spun her Crossbow Staff back and forth, firing bolt after bolt at the Glaive until she sprinted towards her. She slashed her sword across Fiona’s chest before kicking her against the window. Fiona gasped when she looked down to see the height of the ship, and how far they would fall if this window broke. The Obsidian Glaive activated her boot thrusters, flying towards Fiona and punching her in the face, cracking the glass.

Fiona suddenly grabbed the soldier by her long locks of black hair and yanked her towards her, smashing her head against hers. The Glaive staggered backwards, swinging around with the Extendable Sword, sending it forward and slashing across her Staff. Fiona jumped off the window and cut across the Glaive’s shoulder, landing behind her and firing a couple more bolts at her. The Obsidian Glaive rolled aside, firing more bullets at her.

Fiona yelped in pain as one bullet clipped her side, and then the sword wrapped around her throat, pulling her towards the hand of the Obsidian Glaive. She caught Fiona by the face and threw her against the floor with substantial force, pulling the blade tighter and tighter as it constricted and sliced into her throat, suffocating her. Fiona gasped desperately for air, reaching out for one of the chairs and absorbing it into her aura. The Obsidian Glaive raised her brow in confusion, until Fiona flicked her hand towards her and formed it once again, launching the chair directly into the Obsidian Glaive’s face.

She barked in pain as she staggered back, releasing Fiona, who gasped for air, letting it flood back into her lungs. She stumbled back onto her feet, staring at the Obsidian Glaive who glared back at her, spinning her sword through her fingers. Fiona sprinted first, and they continued to clash.

On the other side of the Bridge, Vine swung across the room, whilst the Obsidian Glaive spiralled his Sceptre through his fingers and rested it over his arm, channelling powerful Fire Dust energy into the tip of the blade, firing a focused beam of magma towards the Android. The beam clipped his side, and he grunted, crashing across the floor. As he got up, the Corrupted Huntsman suddenly swung his boot upwards, into Vine’s nose, and smashed him into the wall with significant force.

He grunted and caught the blade with his hands, pushing it into the wall, and smashing his head into the Glaive’s. The Huntsman suddenly sprouted a pair of Bat Wings from his back, hidden behind the amour, which opened and yanked the Sceptre from the wall. He roared with fury as he slashed the weapon at his face, but Vine rolled out of the way and threw his Shiruken into the back of his leg.

The Obsidian Glaive smashed through one of the tables, stabbing the Sceptre into the ground, blasting more flames from the tip which Vine dodged effortlessly. His Shiruken spun across the air before returning to his hand. The Obsidian Glaive shot forward, using the thrusters in his shoulders to fly towards Vine and swinging the Sceptre directly at him, but he rolled aside and extended his arms, grappling onto his wings and lifting him into the air and smashing him from one wall and tossing him into the air.

The Wings of the Glaive splayed outwards, and then he launched down towards him, ramming the Sceptre into the ground, pumping Fire Dust into the floor, shattering the black metal floor to pieces around him.

Vine flipped backwards to avoid the sharp chunks of debris and kept his fists raised.

In the Drive Core, Marrow fired multiple shots before transforming Fetch into blade mode, deflecting incoming bullets from Clover as he walked towards him. He immediately threw his Boomerang Blade towards Clover, but he batted it aside with significant force, firing his pistol again at Marrow.

Marrow jumped to catch Fetch when it returned to him, only for the Fishing Pole to wrap around his throat and smash him against the floor. “NO!” Marrow screamed as he reached out for the weapon as it bounced off the wall and down into the darkness of the large room.

“Everyone get moving!” Technicians screamed as they fled from the core whilst Clover aimed his pistol at his head. Marrow suddenly jumped and flipped backwards, kicking the gun from his hand and sending it flying away, and just as Clover swung the line of his Fishing Pole towards him, he caught it and wrapped the line around his arm. As Clover yanked him forward, Marrow punched him across the face, ripping the weapon from his hands and snapping it over his knee.

“What a stupid fucking weapon!” Marrow scoffed, throwing it aside. Clover gritted his teeth and smashed his Horseshoe across Marrow’s cheek, then kicked him in the chest, staggering the skilled warrior. He immediately threw it at Marrow, but he ducked, letting it fall off the edge.

Leaving them both equally matched.

Clover rolled his neck, cracking it before raising his fists in Marrow’s direction, and Marrow did the same, keeping his eyes on Clover, knowing he definitely was still a threat when it came to Hand-To-Hand combat.

Especially with that Good Luck Charm of his…

… He just needed to beat Clover first.

The two stood beside the massive Drive Core as it cycled energy back and forth, massive plates of metal floating around it from the Gravitational Energy built up inside of it.

One of them was not walking away from this fight.

That was a certainty.

 

Ruby

 

Watts hovered in the air as his Grave Dust Cloud carried his thin frame, firing his revolver down at Ruby. She darted across the area in a burst of rose petals, firing Black Thorn up at him, but he raised his Hardlight Dust Bracer, deflecting the incoming bullets, before forming a pair of massive hammers above his head and blasting towards her. He smashed them both into the black sand, only narrowly missing Ruby, but the shock wave of the impact still sent her bouncing across the floor.

She stabbed one of her Scythes into the ground, twisting herself around with the velocity, and throwing herself towards Watts again. He formed a pair of huge tentacle like arms which crossed together, catching Ruby’s weapons, staring her dead in the eyes with a sadistic smirk. Ruby fired her pistols through the Grave Dust and flipped away from him, landing with her two guns aimed at him. He swiftly drew on her, firing an ice projectile from his gun, which froze over her hand and pinned her to the wall.

He pointed at her and the cloud of Grave Dust swirled towards her like a cyclone above to infect her body, just as it did to Killian. But as it grew closer, Penny suddenly blasted a powerful beam of green energy towards him. Watts grunted as the beam crashed into his side and made him roll across the floor, aiming his revolver at her, firing multiple electrical rounds at her. As the bullets hit her, they conducted into her mechanical body, making her shriek in agony. The Grave Dust trailed away from Ruby and returned to its master, forming an enormous bow and drawing it back, firing an enormous arrow laced with Gravity Dust in the tip.

Penny’s eyes widened as the arrow flew towards her, creating a powerful pulse upon impact and throwing her off the edge. As she felt gravity tug her off the edge, she activated her thrusters, blasting them from her feet, staring back at him. She launched herself towards Watts and flew straight past him, slashing Floating Array across his legs, knocking him off his feet. As he fell, Ruby jumped and slammed her two scythes towards his neck, but he kicked her in the chest before she could do it.

Watts rolled backwards, back onto his feet and struck the hammer of his revolver relentlessly at the two, firing explosive fire dust bullets at the two, smashing them against the purple crystals as the bullets detonated against their chests. Ruby held her chest and turned to Penny, who was pushing her knee into the sand to get back up. Watts walked towards them and he held out his hands, the ten golden rings glowing as the Grave Dust swirled behind him and formed into the King Wyvern, which attacked Beacon Academy.

“Look out!” Ruby yelled, dashing to Penny and carrying her out of the way. The Wyvern blasted a cloud of fire dust from its jaws, igniting into a cloud of flames which burned across the snow. It quickly disappeared and returned to the cloud of dust, levitating Watts into the air. He laughed sinisterly as he hovered above the two of them.

“There is nothing you can do to possibly stop me now!” Watts laughed, forging machines which floated above him, firing endlessly down at the couple, the grave dust bullets shattering upon contact and returning to reload them. “My power is only limited by my imagination! And as you can see, I can imagine a great deal.” Watts guffawed.

“Gods, this guy’s ego is off the charts!” Ruby scoffed, spinning Black Thorn through her fingers. The Dust swirled like a tornado beneath his feet, still shooting at them. “We need to divide his attention. We’ll never even get close to him like this.” Ruby looked around, desperate to find some sort of advantage, then her eyes widened when she spotted one of the damaged crystals, it was knocked down but was directed right above where Watts had positioned himself.

She smiled. “I got it. Keep his attention on you. I’ll run up that crystal and knock him down, okay?” Ruby asked her.

Penny nodded. “You got it.”

Ruby affectionately kissed her, then smiled before Penny flew out from cover, launching two of her Grave Dust Swords towards him. He formed another sword and deflected the two swords, firing the machine guns at her. She spiralled Floating Array with great speed to block the bullets from getting anywhere near her. She stared at the monster, who brought her so much pain over the years with anger in her bright green eyes. He continued to fire at her, before he suddenly formed a huge spear laced with Fire Dust and launched it towards her.

Penny flipped backwards, narrowly avoiding the javelin and flying into the air, transforming her swords into cannons and firing green bolts of energy back at him, whilst the spear detonated into a fireball beneath her. His machine guns shattered, and the dust formed shields, blocking each of the incoming shots, whilst also forming another pair of swords as he prepared to fly towards her.

Until Ruby suddenly jumped off the top of the crystal above him and tackled him off the dust, crashing into the ground with immense force. The impact blew black sand all around them, and Ruby slashed across his face with her Scythe before hooking the other underneath his jaw and flinging him into the air, and Penny blasted all her turrets at once into his chest. Watts grunted, his green aura flickering and his body smashing against one of the other crystals.

Ruby sprinted at him and kicked him in the side, and as he stood up, he swung his fist towards her face, only for Ruby to raise her arm and redirect him. She smashed her knee into his gut and grabbed him by the hair, throwing him into the rocks. He grunted, but pivoted, firing his gun at her, but only narrowly missing her head, the bullet whizzing through her hair. She went to attack him once again, but his Grave Dust returned, and blasted out spikes of hardened particles, knocking her back.

Watts stood tall, cracking his neck, before holding his arms out and swinging them down, forming multiple projectiles as the dust formed a Storm-Like Cloud above the two of them. The blades all came crashing down, splitting the area off into four slices, separating Ruby and Penny from one another.

Ruby relentlessly shot at him, but he suddenly extended his arm with Grave Dust, solidifying the dust around her arm and yanking her towards him. As she flew forward, he shot her in the chest with a Gravity Bullet, blasting her into the blades, slicing her aura apart. She yelped in pain, grabbing her leg where she felt one blade cut deeply when her aura was weakened. Luckily, it had already healed, but the fact she was feeling her potential injuries now meant one thing.

Her aura was running low.

Penny flew into the air and dove, smashing her fists into the ground so hard that the shock wave blew the Grave Dust apart momentarily, and then she launched her swords towards Watts. He rolled aside, but one of them cut into his coat and pinned him to the wall. He growled as he tore himself free from the sword and quickly reloaded his revolver with fresh bullets.

He laughed and held his hands out. “How my blood boils!” He laughed, suddenly forming a massive Dragon-Like hand on top of his own, and he jumped high in the air, using the thrusters in his boots to increase his head, and he slammed the hand down where Penny just was, like he was trying to swat a fly. “Come! Face me, Penny Polendina! Fight for your Artificial Humanity!”

Penny blasted into the air and fired another beam at him, but he raised his arm and formed a Grave Dust Barrier laced with Hardlight Dust, refracting the beam across the sky and carving clean through one of the crystals, sending it crashing down into the dunes of sand behind them. He turned to see Ruby launching herself towards him from behind, but he suddenly threw his arms out with a defiant roar, channelling all the Grave Dust together and creating a powerful explosion of hardened chunks of dust. They slashed across Ruby’s body and knocked Penny out of the air.

Ruby pushed herself back up, only for Watts to kick her in the face and onto her back. Her eyes widened as he jumped into the air and created an enormous hammer, slamming it down towards her. She gasped and rolled out of the way as fast as she could, only narrowly missing it, but just as she got back up, the same hammer transformed into another massive hand, which grabbed her.

She screamed with frustration as he lifted her high above his head and threw her towards the ground, but Penny caught her just in time. After swiftly placing her gently on the floor, Penny soared overhead, dodging the rocks thrown and bullets fired at her by Watts. She banked across the sky, charging up her turrets again, firing down at Watts as often as she could. He slammed the massive Dust Hand into the dirt, ripping a black rock from it and throwing it towards her, and shooting an explosive bullet into it.

The combo caused the rock to detonate and throw sharp shards of rock into her, tossing her out of the air and crashing against the floor. Ruby threw Black Thorn towards him from behind, slashing across his shoulder, and as he turned around, Ruby vaulted across one of the rocks, kicking him in the chest with both feet. He rolled backwards after the attack, and landed on both feet, throwing forged blades at her, but she dodged them, firing Black Thorn at him whilst picking the other Scythe back up.

Penny suddenly appeared behind him, launching multiple swords his way, before twirling around in a full spin and cutting all the blades across his back, making him stagger towards Ruby who jumped forward and spun forward like a saw blade, slashing Black Thorn across his body. As she landed, she fired both Volcanic Pistols at the exact same time into his chest, and as he staggered back, Penny fired a powerful projectile of green energy into Watts, throwing him backwards.

He formed an enormous sword and drove it into the ground to slow himself down, staring ahead at them. “His aura must be nearing the red. We need to keep this up!” Ruby said.

“So are ours, Ruby. We can’t be hasty.” Penny advised, which convinced Ruby to check her scroll.

And Penny was right. They were nearly beyond the amber level of aura left.

“Crap…” Ruby panted, wiping the sweat from her brow. But she rolled her shoulder and stood tall beside Penny, whilst Watts also stood tall, staring at them. He smirked sinisterly as the Grave Dust continued to howl behind him. Penny walked towards Watts with her swords slowly rotating behind her.

“Enough of this, Watts. This whole thing is over. Salem’s rule… is over. You will not get what it is that you desire.” Penny warned.

“You’re right, Miss Polendina. Salem’s time is up, but after she is gone, this world needs a new ruler. Someone wise who will know exactly what it needs… and with that Relic, every single question I will ever have will be answered.” Watts explained. “I have been waiting… so very long… for this day to finally come.”

Ruby smirked.

This guy loves the sound of his own voice…

… might as well feed that ego of his then.

“Tell me this then, Watts. How are you gonna kill Salem? Because we all know that what you did only slowed her down. She will be back soon. Maybe she is only seconds away from regenerating. How are you gonna kill her with the Relic of Destruction and rule Remnant when she’s gone? Y’know… since the Relic kills whoever uses it?” Ruby asked, but he smirked.

“We already have the means to solve such a question. With the Relic of Choice, I will force one of you to do it for me.” He stated, pointing at her.

“Wow… really showing how much of a brave man you are, huh? Would rather sacrifice someone else entirely to do the dirty work for you? How fitting… for a man who just runs away all the time.” Ruby scoffed, shaking her head.

“Cowardice you say?” Watts chuckled, the Grave Dust swirling faster and faster around him. “Perhaps… but to build the perfect world, sacrifices must be made.”

“The only people who brag about how many sacrifices they’ve had to bear are the ones who have never risked their own life. People like you… like Killian… will never change.” Ruby stated, keeping her Volcanic Pistols aimed at him.

He narrowed his arms and formed a constant protective barrier of Grave Dust around him, further proving her point.

“No matter what it takes… I will become the Ruler of Remnant. And nobody is going to take that away from me.” Watts snarled.

Ruby scoffed.

No amount of power was ever going to be enough for you, was it?

You will just keep taking… and taking… and taking…

… until there is nothing left.

 

Ren

 

Atop the Tower…

Ren and Li stood side by side whilst Icarus flew directly at them, roaring with rage as he slashed Undying Hatred at them both, digging his feet into the floor so hard that sparks flew behind him. He only narrowly missed them as well, as Ren ducked and Li rolled out of the way. His old Father – whilst Blind – turned and drew his bow, still able to sense Icarus’ dark aura, and fired the arrow at him, nailing the shot.

Icarus grunted and snarled savagely, throwing one of the Khopeshes at him, hitting him in the chest and knocking him backwards. He rolled across the floor, but just before he could fall off the edge of the tower, Ren gasped and shot his grappling hook to his father’s hand and caught him, pulling tight to save him from what would have been his death. As Li got back on his feet, Ren turned as Icarus suddenly smashed his metal wing into his face, smashing him against one of the damaged pillars.

Ren grunted, then Icarus launched towards him and slashed his Khopesh up his chest, breaking the pillar and sending the massive chunks of debris plummeting off the edge. Ren rolled towards the edge only for Icarus to kick him over it, plummeting. “REN!” Li screamed, but as Icarus turned, suddenly his grappling hook shot up and wrapped around his leg, dragging him off the tower with him.

Icarus roared as he fell with Ren, tackling him and opening his huge wings. Ren punched at his mechanical jaw extremely hard, whilst Icarus circled around the tower, flying even higher above it. Li drew his bow and exhaled calmly, waiting for the right moment. Icarus smashed his head into Ren’s and that nearly made Ren slide off from his grip, and then Icarus kicked him in the chest, sending him plummeting towards the tower.

Suddenly Li fired, launching an arrow with nailed Icarus in the jaw, making him roar with rage as the arrow broke one of his protein canisters. He fell but swiftly replaced it as the other fell, hissing from the contained pressure being broken. His wings opened, and he slowed his descent, whilst Ren used his grappling hook to do that, swinging around the tower and sliding back on there, driving both of Stormflower’s Blades into the floor to secure himself.

Icarus’ landing made the entire tower shake, but he glared at them with wildly hateful eyes, like an animal who had just spotted his prey. He snarled, his voice metallic and unnatural through his cybernetic jaw. He suddenly leapt towards them and fired off his rockets in the wings, launching towards Ren and slashing across the floor, throwing sparks across the ground, before firing grenades from his bracers.

Ren jumped and rolled out of the way of them, and roundhouse kicking one grenade back at Icarus. The Fallen Archangel’s eyes widened as it detonated against his chest, the shock wave launching him off the tower, and as he spun through the air, his metal wings opened, flying around the tower once again. As he circled them, Li shot arrow after arrow at him in an attempt to try and take him down, but he was dodging them all as he circled them.

He suddenly connected Undying Hatred together into a Double-Ended Khopesh and dove in between them, spiralling it around his shoulders, smashing Ren off his feet and slamming it onto Li’s cane. The sudden weight of his strike slammed Li down to one knee, but he pushed him away, smashing the handle of his staff across Icarus’ face. As Icarus spun around, he scraped Undying Hatred across the floor and slashed at Li.

Li deflected it with his Staff, then punched Icarus in the face with his Cybernetic Fist. As Icarus rolled back, he clicked in the trigger, igniting the curved blade and slashing it at him, throwing arcs of fire towards him. Li flipped backwards, firing three arrows at him, two of them missing but one hitting Icarus in the shoulder, making him recoil backwards, directly into Ren, who jumped onto his shoulders and wrapped his legs around his neck. Ren yelled with fury, directing all his bodyweight downwards to smash Icarus into the floor.

Ren rolled across the floor, turning to fire both his Machine Pistols at Icarus. He raised his metal wing, blocking the bullets and firing another grenade at Li. The Old Warrior smacked the grenade aside, causing it to explode nearby, lighting up the intense arena. As they both rushed towards Icarus, he extended his wings and spun around, his razor sharp metal feathers slicing across their aura protected bodies.

He spun Undying Hatred through his fingers and smashed it into the ground, blasting fire dust out and forcing them away. His eyes glowed more and more red as his Blind Rage semblance set in, growling more and more like a feral animal. As Ren fired one of his grappling hooks towards him, it wrapped around Icarus’ free arm, and he retracted himself towards his foe. Icarus suddenly pulled away and lunged towards Ren with the Khopesh, hooking it on his shoulder, and with the wrapped arm, he punched his fist into Ren’s chest, firing a round into his aura from the bracer. He yelled in pain, his pink aura flickering from that deadly attack.

Icarus suddenly hooked the Khopesh under his chin and swung Ren over his shoulder and against the floor with an almighty crash, stamping on his back with vicious force. Ren gasped, winded from that deadly attack, but Li immediately came to his son’s aid with a single and very hard punch from his metal arm. Icarus rolled away, and the slack from Stormflower’s grappling hook loosened, retracting back to the gun.

Li shot arrows at Icarus, which he deflected effortlessly with Undying Hatred, and finally detached them again and tossed one of them towards Li. The Old Warrior ducked, only just missing it, but Icarus activated the Gravitational Connection the two weapons had, calling it back to his hand and cutting across Li’s back, staggering him towards Icarus. The Fallen Archangel spun and smacked his wing directly into his face, sending Li tumbling backwards with a groan.

Ren stumbled back to his feet, catching his breath and aiming his two pistols at Icarus, shooting at the side of his head. Icarus hardly even reacted from the impact of the bullets thanks to his aura, just becoming an annoyance. He turned and slashed at Ren, but this time Ren scraped his blades across Undying Hatred, and jumped, kicking Icarus across the jaw.

He staggered away from Ren, then jumped high in the air, descending with a cataclysmic strike into the floor, shattering the ground and throwing huge chunks of debris his way. Ren jumped and spun through the air, dodging all the chunks of debris, and as he landed, he slashed across Icarus’ metal jaw. He snarled savagely as he grabbed at his mouth, glaring at Ren with a bright red glow in his eyes before he blasted forward and slashed his wings across his body, then catching him by the throat and smashing him against the floor with all his might.

“I am going to make you suffer, so that your father can finally understand how it feels to lose everything!” He yelled with anger, raising him off the floor and slowly tightening his grip. Ren’s eyes widened with wild anger and he kicked Icarus in the chest with both feet, pulling himself free from his grasp and flipping backwards. He spun across the floor and launched one of the Stormflower Pistols at him, slicing across the jaw once again.

Icarus yelled in anger and pain as the impact brought him immense pain once again, staggering backwards. As Icarus stood there, his hands twitched and sweat beaded on his skin.

Eyes widening wildly and growling so savagely that he no longer sounded like a human being anymore. “I am going… to take… everything… from you…” He snarled, turning to stare at Ren and Li.

They both stared back at him. “Oh, crap…” Ren stammered, seeing his glowing red eyes.

“I will take away your son… I will slaughter your daughter-in-law… and your unborn grandchild… and when the world ends, I will make you listen to everyone you swore to protect be torn limb from limb.” Icarus growled, gripping Undying Hatred tightly. “And when they are all gone? Only then… will I finally kill you.” Icarus snarled.

Icarus grabbed at his head and suddenly roared to the sky as his eyes shone bright red, growling and pressing one hand against the floor, his metal wings and feathers splayed out. Ren raised Stormflower and Li spun his staff through his fingers, exhaling calmly.

Time was up.

Blind Rage had been activated.

 

Blake

 

Blake and Yang rolled aside as Adam slammed to the ground, driving Wilt and Blush into the ground, creating an explosion of red flames in the process. He rolled backwards, red energy trailing from his body with his semblance evolved to its most advanced form.

He snarled and jumped towards Blake, slashing the sword at her, but she deflected the incoming blow with Gambol Shroud, and vanished as he cut through one of her shadows, throwing her Grappling Hook at him, wrapping it around his throat. She dropped and yanked him backwards, roundhouse kicking him across the face, and making him stumble directly into Yang’s titanium fist.

He grunted in pain, and Yang relentlessly punched him across the face, then threw five fast and hard punches into his torso, before twisting around and performing a lethal uppercut. The punch made a shock wave and tossed him into the air, allowing her to shoot at him as he flew across the sky with Ember Celica. But as the shells hit him, he turned in the air and slashed his sword at Yang, launching powerful arcs of raw red energy at her, and swung again, sending a second before descending and slamming his sword down. The second arc hit Yang in the chest, and as his sword punctured the stone floor, a powerful explosion of red energy erupted in the ground, shattering the ground and throwing Yang into the air.

He roared with anger, kicking her in the stomach just before she hit the floor with his hoofed foot. He turned to see Blake swinging towards him, but he deflected her incoming sword with his, and slashed again at her shadow. She flipped backwards, firing her pistol at him, but he moved like a red blur, blocking every incoming bullet, before thrusting towards her. She jumped away and smashed her sheath across the side of his head, but as she flipped through the air, he fired his shotgun sheath at her, knocking her out of the air.

He sheathed Wilt and Blush and suddenly swung vertically towards the floor, sending a massive wave of red energy at Blake. She only narrowly dodged it as the energy cut a burning scar across the floor. She threw her Grappling Hook towards him and threw herself at him, and cast a burning shadow which exploded in his face. The explosion launched him backwards, but he suddenly jumped into the air with his sword arm pulled back.

He launched towards her and suddenly black and red shadows of himself came jumping forward, viciously slashing at the air where she was. She tried to dodge and deflect their attacks, but they were so aggressive that they whittled away at her aura. One by one they cut her apart, and finally he lunged towards her, ramming his sword into the floor where she was. He focused his aura and slashed at the air without even moving, surrounding his body with red trails of hi sword.

Blake yelled in pain, her purple aura already flickering into the amber from the onslaught he just unleashed on her. Adam glared at Blake savagely, red light trailing from his burned eye, but he turned as Yang suddenly blasted towards him from behind, smashing her fist into the red blade of Wilt and Blush. He stared back at her, before kicking off her and jumping onto one of the pillars that held Evernight up. As he jumped from one to the other, he launched another arc of red energy from his sword before he leapt towards them, slashing horizontally. He hit them both at the same time as red flames trailed from his sword.

“You abandoned me… FOR A HUMAN?” He roared at Blake, firing his shotgun at her, and raising the red sword above his head and slamming it down at her.

“She is more than you could have ever been!” Blake yelled, jumping into the air and firing Gambol Shroud at him, whilst Yang relentlessly launched missiles at him. He deflected one and cut the other one down with a hard forward slash. He held Wilt and Blush in both hands and thrusted towards her, only for Yang to smartly stamp on the blade, and punch him in the side of the head before he could retaliate. He rolled across the floor, then jumped and slashed at her as he moved away from her. She raised her metal arm to block the incoming hit, keeping her fists raised, watching his every move. He kept the sword in its sheath, waiting for the right moment to strike.

“Come on, you son of a bitch… SHOW ME WHAT YOU’VE GOT!” Yang yelled, and that was exactly what he did. He blasted off the ground and slammed the sword into the floor, creating a line of exploding red flames erupting from the floor towards her. She raised her arms and the impact of the blade pushed her back, but he jumped at her again and dug the sword into her metal arm, forcing her onto one knee.

The sword cut deep into the yellow painted metal, and she gritted her teeth, staring back up at him. Yang swung her arms upwards into Adam’s face, knocking him backwards a few steps. She kicked him in the knee to drop him down and punched him in the face with significant force, pumping her shotguns before firing them relentlessly at him, leaving spent casings behind. He deflected a couple and grinned as his black and red shadows morphed his body and they followed his every step, sprinting around her swiftly.

Suddenly, they all attacked at the same time, slashing at her body and kicking her in the back. She fell to the floor and rolled aside just as he stabbed at her head. Blake jumped overhead and threw her Grappling Hook around his neck, pulling him away from Yang and towards her. She slashed her sheath across his face and cut diagonally across his aura protected body. As she pulled her sword back, she fired multiple shots of ice laced bullets at him, freezing his body in certain areas, mainly aiming for his arm to weigh the blade down.

As his arm dropped, his teeth gritted, turning to see Yang punch him in the face, then grabbing the bull by the horns and thrusting his face into her knee. Suddenly the sword ignited with more red flames, making them course up his arm and making his veins glow red, melting the ice and freeing him. He roared, swinging around with the fire behind him and driving the sword down into the floor.

The attack created a vast cloud of red sword slashes, damaging their aura at the same time. Then that same raw power channelled through the blade into an explosion in the floor, throwing him into the air, flipping backwards and throwing another arc of red energy at them both. The explosion weakened them both, but they both dodged the incoming arc, but as they stood there, they saw him stab his sword into a pillar.

He jumped and slashed through the stalactites, sending them crashing down around them. The two of them sprinted away and dodged the incoming stalactites and purple crystals. As Blake avoided the falling rocks and crystal, he suddenly came crashing down like a meteor in front of her, slamming his sword against hers, grinding it against Gambol Shroud. He stared directly at her with rage, teeth gritted.

He suddenly kicked her in the chest, only for her to have been a shadow, and she appeared above him, wrapping her Grappling Hook once again around his throat, pulling him backwards and directly under Yang as she jumped, blasting down with a single and very powerful punch into his face.

As he dropped, Yang returned to Blake’s side.

“You okay?” Yang asked.

“Still breathing, you?” Blake replied.

“Yeah… barely. He’s really throwing everything he has at us.” Yang stammered, her hand quivering.

“I know… but we can beat him. We just need to be smart.” Blake assured, smiling at her girlfriend. But as they stood there, Adam stood back up, pressing the blade of his sword against the ground, snarling savagely at them.

They both prepared for this battle to continue, raising their weapons and catching their breath.

And then, Adam sprinted towards them again, just as they rushed him, blades clashing.

 

Salem

 

Reformed White Fang and Vasillias Cartel advanced, shooting at the Grimm to secure the area where Watts, Ruby and Penny just were… but as they stood there, they saw the black smoke. Her severed body now reattached, and they could hear the unnerving growl of Salem as she slowly stood back up.

“Arthur…” she snarled.

Her back was arched, hair down and no longer in the Spider-Like Style anymore. Her bones snapped back into position and she stared at the soldiers who were aiming at her.

“OPEN FIRE!” One of the soldiers yelled, and the many soldiers all fired their machine guns at her. Bullets cut clean through her body, yet she did not even try to dodge them as bullets punctured through her head, heart and other vital organs, splattering blood everywhere.

They kept shooting until their guns were out of ammo, just clicking.

Salem cracked her neck, bullet wounds healing within seconds, still staring at them with a kind smile.

Suddenly she appeared over the shoulder of a shoulder, seductively whispering in his ear.

“My turn…”

The soldiers panicked when they heard her there, yet she had not even moved, eyes glowing red with a sinister smirk. She opened her hands, forming balls of raw magic, eyes igniting with the Maiden Powers.

The time Watts gave them was up.

Salem was back on the battlefield.

Chapter 50: Senseless Deaths

Chapter Text

Salem

 

The soldiers screamed in unified terror.

The Dark Queen suddenly blasted towards them, and grabbed the first of the soldiers by the face and lifted him off the floor, crushing the skull with little effort, splatting his blood across her once pale white. They continued to shoot at her and others attempted to flee, but Salem was only getting started. She flew into the air with a pair of huge Dragon Wings sprouted from her back, and as she flew over their heads, she launched magical projectiles of pure destruction.

It ignored their armour plating completely, burning their flesh and bone to ash as they shrieked, before opening her hand and casting a Conjuration Glyph, which created a bright gold light and formed an enormous hammer in her grasp. Salem came crashing down, burying the hammer into the floor where three soldiers were fleeing, splattering their bodies into the black sand. Salem swung around in a full spin, smashing multiple soldiers in the process before releasing the magical hammer and sending it exploding into a squad of soldiers.

Salem rolled out of the way of an incoming missile, and as a second came towards her, she raised her wing, taking the explosion head on. The wing broke apart, but she did not even wince. She just smirked as the shrapnel fell from her regenerating skin. Her arm suddenly extended, and she impaled the soldier through the head with her razor sharp fingers, and yanked his corpse towards her, grabbing onto his rocket launcher. And with one hand, she fired it towards one of the trucks that was charging towards her.

The missile completely fragments the armoured vehicle, sending the burning wreckage tumbling past her, making her long white hair blow in the wind. With her hair completely let down, it seemed to flow like it was underwater. Her eyes glowed bright red as she continued to unleash her onslaught, just as she did years ago when the people tried to rebel against her. Some soldiers attempted to fight back whilst retreating in fear, but most were just running for their lives in terror of the Dark Queen.

Salem cared not for their fear. They were all prey in her eyes.

She shot across the sand so fast that it created a shock wave behind her, and with her maiden powers, she blasted flames into the sand behind her, melting it into shards of obsidian and throwing them towards the soldiers. The shards shredding their bodies into tiny bloody chunks across the dunes, and finally she attacked the last of the soldiers who were shooting at her.

She pinned him to the floor and gently caressed his cheek. “Such meagre attempts of rebellion… what a waste…” Salem hissed, before she blasted flames from her mouth, dislocating her jaw and burning that soldier to ashes. She roared to the sky like a raging animal, blasting lightning bolts from her mouth as well. The flames came raining down all around her, burning a gunship and causing it to come crashing into the ground after the wing melted.

Another gunship remained, firing its machine guns at Salem as it hovered across the dunes, attempting to buy the fleeing soldiers some time. Salem stared at it and she narrowed her eyes at it, barely even recoiling as the bullets cut into her body. But she raised her hand and clenched it shut, collapsing the vehicle into a ball with her magical telekinesis, and then tossed it towards the soldiers.

Salem flew high into the air as she pursued them, and the sound of her nightmarish screech made one soldier turn around in pure fear. Salem flew towards her and dug her claws into the woman’s face, dragging her across the rocks until her body was ripped to pieces. She slid past the soldiers and suddenly extended a huge Deathstalker Tail from her tailbone, and swung it around, smashing many soldiers into the sand, before impaling another soldier through the chest and tossing him into the air, being caught in the jaws of a Teryx.

As the soldiers all fired their guns at her, she raised her hand, stopping all the bullets from moving, and she crushed them all into a ball and launched them towards one soldier instead of redirecting them to kill them all instantly.

She wanted to savour their fear, their suffering.

The soldiers scatted, but Salem jumped high in the air and formed a golden spear and launched it towards one soldier, impaling him through the spin and pinning him to the floor. As Salem landed, she spun around and roundhouse kicked three of them across the floor, forming three individual red glyphs where Apathy arms reached from the darkness, pulling them into the sand to suffocate. They shrieked in terror before the black sand swallowed them.

A soldier yelled as he crawled away from Salem and aimed his shotgun at her head, firing and blowing a chunk off her head. She recoiled back, black blood pouring from the massive wound inflicted in her head, but her glowing red eye continued to glare at him. She suddenly levitated the soldier off the floor and smiled, before making him explode from the inside with a fireball she cast in her. Blood splattered across the side of her face, her grin never flinching.

Some soldiers shot at her as they tried to get away, but deep down, they knew she was just toying with them. As she went to attack them, suddenly massive explosions erupted behind her, and more reinforcements were headed towards her to try to slow her down. Brave warriors fired their weapons at her, only making her body physically recoil from the bullets.

She floated into the air, her eyes burning with red flames, and she held her hands together, forming a sphere of crackling dark purple magical power, and then she pushed her hands forward. Suddenly that condensed ball of raw magical power exploded and threw hundreds of highly explosive projectiles towards the reinforcements, blowing them to bits and completely destroying most of the vehicles that were getting in position to shoot at her.

Their bodies vaporised when hit directly by the projectiles, but the explosions were enough to rip them apart. Shrieking soldiers cried in immense pain, losing arms, legs and even having their torsos torn apart as well. A soldier screamed in agony as she tried to crawl away, with her lower half left behind. Salem suddenly stamped down on her head, twisting the foot in her brains as the corpse twitched beneath her.

“Such insignificance…” she scoffed, shaking her head. Screams echoed all around her, and she looked across the smoke and blood to see one more still alive, shakily pointing a gun at her. Salem walked towards the young woman, a volunteer White Fang. She couldn’t have been older than seventeen years, and she could barely even hold the gun. “Tsk, tsk, tsk…” She laughed as she approached the girl. “Such a shame that a girl so young died for a suicidal cause.”

Suddenly a powerful railgun shot launched into Salem’s chest, blasting her away from the soldier, buying her time to escape. Salem rolled across the ground, growling as the massive hole in her chest reconstructed itself. She looked up at where the shot came from, to see one of the Dreadnaughts was aiming its cannons directly at her. She tilted her head and smiled softly.

The Broadside Cannons of the Dreadnaught all opened fire at the same time, spreading explosive cannon shells across the dunes where she was standing. Salem did not even flinch as the shells came crashing down around her, but she suddenly held out her hand, eyes glowing red. Red energy suddenly surrounded the Dreadnaught, and it rocked back and forth. The people inside screamed in terror as they felt the ship losing control.

Salem smiled sinisterly, sensing their fear from here. But the cannons continued to fire in her direction, but with her finger she batted the shells aside before they could even reach her, sending them exploding in the distance or nearby. Her white hair flicked in the air as shock waves slammed into her.

Then Salem gritted her teeth and roared with unparalleled rage, eyes glowing bright red and the sand around her starting to float. She held both hands out and pulled downwards with all her might. The Dreadnaught suddenly came crashing down into the ground in front of her, exploding in an utterly enormous fireball, throwing huge chunks of smouldering debris high into the sky. Flames danced high in the air, polluting the air with smoke.

And the flames reflected off her black, and red eyes, with wrath never fading.

She turned her attention towards the White Fang nearby, seeing Ghira and Kali fighting together. She was about to walk towards them, until she stopped, hearing the sonic boom of something…

… or someone…

… moving faster than the speed of sound towards her.

 

Eryka

 

Tyrian lunged towards the Falconess from the shadows, laughing maniacally as he sliced across her cheek, the impact landing so hard that it sent her tumbling backwards. As she rolled across the floor, she swiftly drew Constantine Damascus and fired an explosive arrow towards him. He jumped into the air, flipping over it, before rolling across the floor and firing the machine guns of the Queen’s Servants at her.

She grunted as they punctured her blue aura, and then he drop-kicked her into the wall. As he brought his stinger down towards her, a glyph suddenly appeared on his left, blasting a gust of wind into him and pushing him away from Eryka. He turned and grinned, Weiss Schnee coming right at him, screaming with tears in her eyes. She thrusted Myrtenaster towards his throat, but he smacked the blade aside with his pincer blades, and suddenly wrapped his tail around her throat, flinging her against the floor.

She grunted but rolled out of the way immediately afterwards, narrowly avoiding his mechanical stinger as it stabbed down at her head. She flicked her sword upwards and formed more glyphs, lining her sword with fire dust. The glyphs shone orange and shot fireballs at him. He cackled madly, springing off his tail and flipping through the air, dodging the fireballs whilst still firing down at her.

Weiss skated across her glyphs, wiping the tears from her eyes, not realising she was now smothered in the blood of the people they came here to save. She tried her best to fight back the tears of the loss, but no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t.

“BOO!” Tyrian laughed, suddenly appearing from the shadows, kicking her in the face and sending her sliding across the blood. He turned and raised his arm, stopping Slice ‘N Dice from cutting into him. Eryka glared with hatred, teeth grinding together. Winter also came flying towards him, blade pointed forward and yelling with anger in her voice. She thrusted towards him but he suddenly ducked. Winter gasped, eyes widening, and she lowered the sword as fast as she could. Tyrian suddenly kicked upwards, smashing his boots into the chins, and spinning around on the spot like a breakdancer, kicking them both multiple times.

He flipped and kicked Eryka in the stomach, pushing her away, before grabbing Winter by the throat and judo flipping her over his shoulder. She grunted in pain as she crashed against the wet floor. Then he slammed both of the Queen’s Servants towards Winter’s throat. She swiftly raised the blade of her sword, blocking them and pushing against Tyrian as hard as she could. Winter gritted her teeth, then scowled, and suddenly slammed her hand against the floor, and a swirling glyph grew beneath her.

A huge hand emerged and punched Tyrian across the room, and the Minotaur Grimm stood tall, bellowing with fury as it hunched over Winter protectively. Tyrian scraped his blades across the floor, that demented grin never disappearing as he stared the giant Grimm down. The Minotaur bellowed, and it charged towards it, horns pushed forward. It ran on all fours like a bull, and swung the horns towards him, only narrowly missing as he jumped and swung off one of the horns.

He flipped through the air, firing his machine guns down at the glowing white Grimm before ramming the blades into the back of its neck. His laugh echoed in the amphitheatre after he pulled it back. He jumped and slammed his stinger into the roof of the beast’s head, killing it instantly. The creature crumbled away into white embers, but as he landed, Winter instantly went for him, thrusting towards his chest. He suddenly stamped onto her sword, but she disconnected her shortsword from the blade, spinning around and slashing across his cheek.

Tyrian stumbled back, then his hand glowed purple, and he swung at her, only narrowly missing as she back flipped away, landing on one of her glyphs, shooting a bolt of lightning dust down at him. She then blasted off it towards him, stabbing her sword into the ground where he was just stood. He vanished back into the shadows.

Weiss and Eryka ran back to Winter, stood back to back and listening carefully.

His giggles continued to echo from all around them. “Would you like to know which ones begged? The sound of their cries as I flayed the skin from their bodies?” He laughed.

Weiss winced, and Eryka gritted her teeth with fury. “Don’t let him get to you! He wants to pick us off one by one!”

One of us needs to stay level-headed… somehow…

“I’M GONNA BUTCHER YOU FOR WHAT YOU DID! YOU HEAR ME?” Eryka bellowed.

Tyrian laughed. “Yes… there it is!” Tyrian suddenly appeared behind Eryka and grabbed her by the face, pulling her away from the others. Then she felt her aura break instantly as his semblance activated, knocking out her aura. She smashed her elbow into his face and rolled away from him, just as he thrusted his stinger at her, only narrowly missing.

Eryka drew her bow, firing an arrow at him, which he easily deflected, but then she transformed the bow into shotgun form, firing it at him. He grunted as the shell fragments clipped his shoulder, but he still lunged towards her, going for her throat. She suddenly ducked and wrapped her arm under one of his arm and the other around his neck, smashing him to the floor with ease as she redirected his bodyweight down.

She choked him out on the ground, remembering her old-fashioned fighting moves, pinning his tail down as well. Tyrian gasped for air, then gritted his teeth, and he suddenly yanked his tail free and slashed across her flank. She gasped in pain, and that was enough to weaken her grip on him.

She stumbled away, holding her bleeding side. “Aw shit…” But thankfully, she spotted that he didn’t pump any venom into the stinger on that attack, only went for a minor injury to weaken her grip, since it only just reloaded. But she was still cut open and her aura was also still broken from his semblance.

Weiss suddenly fired icicles towards him, getting his attention off Eryka for a moment. He sprung into the air and flipped towards Weiss, smashing his heel downwards into the floor, so hard that the tiles shattered upon impact. He spun around and swung his tail over his head, but Weiss deflected the barb, then thrusted forward, jabbing into his aura. The way he fought was like a savage animal, always staying close to the floor, his scorpion tail always arched over the top of his head.

He suddenly leapt towards her, slashing the Queen’s Servants across her face, and landing behind her, thrusting his stinger towards her back, now fully loaded with venom. She gasped and slid out of the way on her glyphs, then stabbing the sword into the ground. She blasted powerful spikes of ice towards him, which upon impact launched Tyrian backwards.

He suddenly started sprinting across the wall before leaping back towards her again, slashing at her. Sparks flew as she deflected the incoming attack, then he started screaming maniacally as she slashed relentlessly. He was swinging so fast that it did not even matter he had any flow; it was just mindless strikes. But Weiss was staying as focused as she could, and just before he started his onslaught, she started using Time Dilation.

The clock glyph formed beneath her feet and slowed time, allowing her to effortlessly deflect each strike that he made. Then she thrusted a powerful attack into his chest, creating an explosion from the kinetic energy she built up. From the perspective of Eryka and Winter, Weiss moved in a blur, and nearly fifteen clangs happened within a few seconds, throwing sparks everywhere.

Tyrian tumbled across the floor, but swiftly fired back at Weiss, who blocked the incoming bullets with a protective barrier of hardlight dust. Tyrian suddenly sprinted around the room and jumped at Weiss, and as he landed he twisted around and struck at her with his cybernetic tail, hitting her in the head so hard her aura flickered and the tail shattered a couple of tiles beneath her.

Winter launched towards him and jumped, spinning through the air and slashing across his back, before kicking him in the back and allowing Eryka to rush him. She punched him in the face so hard it stunned him, staggering him and allowing her to kick him towards the wall. She didn’t give him a second to retaliate, throwing a vicious combo of punches into his face, and laying three fast blows into his chest before one hard uppercut, which smacked his head against the wall.

Winter then cast a glyph behind the statue that he was against, and Eryka rolled out of the way as the glyph blasted wind into the statue of the Seneschal and caused it to crash down on top of Tyrian.

A few moments of silence passed, until Tyrian suddenly erupted from the stone with an almost demonic roar, his aura surrounded with purple energy, eyes constantly glowing purple. And then that same maniacal laugh returned.

He was throwing everything he had at them.

They had to put him down, or he will do the same to them.

 

Oscar

 

The demonic howl of Hazel Rainart echoed across the land from the Throne Room of Evernight.

“You will pay for what you did to me, Ozpin! I will tear you apart for bringing me into this cruel world!” He roared, punching both his fists into the ground, creating a powerful shock wave and launching shards of rubble towards him. Ozpin stood his ground, taking control of Oscar’s body. Ozpin suddenly drove the Long Memory into the floor, creating a large glowing green magical glyph. It blocked all the burning chunks of rock from getting anywhere near him.

Nora jumped high in the air and fired a constant beam of pink energy from the head of her Axe, but he raised his arm and formed a Hardlight Shield, refracting the beam across the room, cutting through the windows that were not broken and bursting the few which remained. He suddenly formed an enormous chunk of rock in his hand and melted it into lava, and threw it towards Nora.

She gasped, but Ozpin pushed her aside and swung the cane, covering it with the lava. But the cogs inside of the weapon spun more and more, absorbing the energy that was constantly striking it. Hazel sprinted towards Ozpin and jumped towards him, going to punch him in the face so hard it would have knocked him out. Only for Ozpin to suddenly open his eyes with a green flash.

He swung around and directed all of that energy absorbed from the lava into the tip and struck Hazel across the face. That impact broke apart the few windows that remained and blasted some of the walls apart. Ozpin stood in the destroyed remains of Salem’s throne room, staring Hazel down as he crashed against the wall.

He opened his hands and formed a pair of sharp spikes of rock, jamming them into the ground to stop himself from being thrown off the cliff. He relentlessly charged forward, smashing through the wall he was thrown through once again, using the armour of rock plating he created with the dust he injected himself with, becoming a battering ram. He sprinted towards Ozpin and punched him directly in the chest, sending him flying backwards.

Nora suddenly threw Magni into the side of Hazel’s head, causing him to stagger away and breaking chunks of rock off the side of his head. She yelled with fury as she jumped and drove her axe downwards towards his skull, only for him to catch the blade of her axe with his hand. The blade split his fingers apart, but he ripped Stormur Skeggox from her grasp, pulling her forward so swiftly that he grabbed her by the throat and threw her against the floor.

Nora grunted, dazed from the sudden shock, and just as Hazel went to stamp on her skull with all his might, Ozpin suddenly slammed into his side, creating a powerful pulse of green energy upon impact. Hazel tumbled across the floor, then Ozpin let Oscar take partial control again, and he threw Thunderous Deception towards Hazel and wrapped the chain around his throat, before letting Ozpin take the reins once again, and he yanked Hazel forward, propelling his shorter body towards the huge monster and slammed the Long Memory into his face.

Despite the level of attacks that he suffered though, Hazel just kept on taking every single hit, despite lacking a real aura to protect his body. But as Ozpin slid across the floor, his eyes widened when he saw Hazel’s split hand. Roots and rock were forming inside of the wound, and then fire melted them together, sewing it back together, and further reinforcing his body. “What? Shocked to see your own handiwork?” Hazel growled, smashing his fists together.

“I’m sorry Hazel… I never should have abandoned you.” Ozpin stated.

“You abandoning me was never your cardinal sin. It was creating me in the first place!” Hazel roared, blasting off a burning root he sprouted with the Plant Dust he had implanted, then he formed a pair of lightning spears as he came crashing down. The impact created a tremendous explosion, blasting the roof off in the process.

Ozpin rolled backwards and tapped his cane against the floor, forming a pair of glyphs and fired magical projectiles towards Hazel, which exploded against his chest, burning away parts of skin, but inside they found he was held together by so many forms of dust. He was not even human anymore, just a living embodiment of the elements of dust itself.

“Damn it… nothing we do is going to do anything to him.” Ozpin warned Nora.

“No… there is still a way.” She stated, pointed at his head. “We cut the big bastard’s head off. It won’t be easy, but if we get rid of his brain, he won’t be able to fight us. He may be a monster, but he can still be killed.” Nora assured.

It saddens me to see her… and the others… having to fight this war…

… a war I should have ended.

Forgive me Hazel… but this is the only way.

Hazel grabbed one of the chairs and hurled it towards Nora, but she smashed it apart with Magni, then she threw the short hammer towards his head, only for him to catch it, and for it to keep going, carrying him across the room and crashing against the wall. He yelled in rage as he tried to free himself from the hammer.

Nora jumped and buried Stormur Skeggox into his knee, breaking the leg but getting the blade stuck in the rock. She held out her hand, and the gravity dust connecting her gauntlet and hammer together activated, calling the weapon into her grasp. She squeezed the trigger, and golden electricity coursed through the hammer and into her aura. The lightning turned pink, lighting her scars the same colour and the same with her eyes.

She roared and smashed her hammer into the axe with all her might, and the rock exploded, severing his right leg from his knee. Hazel roared in immense agony, further proving Nora’s point that he was still a living thing, and therefore his head would always be a weak point. He dropped to his knee, no blood pouring out from how much he had to reconstruct his body with dust in the past. Nora jumped and swung towards his neck, only for him to punch her in the chest with an electrical charge, blasting her away from him.

She felt the electricity course further into her body, making her feel even stronger. But none of them expected to see how far he would push the limits of dust in his body. They watched as the stump crackled, and they saw chunks of rock form from it, extending into a razor sharp prosthetic, mixed with conductive material. Suddenly, golden electricity glowed across the new limb, and he grabbed onto a root he also formed, which flung him high above them.

He flipped and brought his sharp metal electrified leg down towards them; the impact creating a gigantic explosion of electricity, blasting both Nora and Ozpin away from him. Ozpin formed a glyph and jumped off it, striking Hazel across the face, then he held out his hand and fired a beam of green magical energy towards Hazel. He grunted and pushed his shoulder into it, before raising his right leg and swinging around, narrowly missing Ozpin’s throat with the attack, then smashing his fist into the floor, pumping fire dust into the ground.

Fireballs exploded beneath their feet, blowing Ozpin across the floor. Oscar seized control once again. He extended Thunderous Deception past Hazel and around the weakened support, bringing it crashing down towards him. Hazel looked up and just took the hit. The massive chunks of brick and mortar exploded against his heavily armoured body, but he just stared back at the Former Bandit.

Oscar spun his chain around his hand and aimed the Long Memory at him. But as Hazel was about to attack, Nora suddenly jumped up behind him, eyes glowing pink as she went for the killing blow, but he turned and punched the axe from her hand, and punched her with his other face, sending her crashing into the floor. He stamped onto her neck and glared at Oscar, waiting for him to do something.

He could easily predict their moves. They always operated on their feelings first. Thus the curse of all those fighting for something good. Oscar sprinted across the destroyed room, and he smashed his hammer into the leg that pinned Nora down. She rolled out of the way and called Magni back into her hand. Just as Hazel went for her, she smashed the hammer across his face, and sending him staggering towards Oscar.

He wrapped the chains of Thunderous Deception around his throat and pulled him across the room, and with all his might combined with the strength of his previous incarnations, he flung him into the air, giving Nora the chance to fire multiple grenades into Hazel.

Hazel crashed off the side of the wall before flipping through the air and landing on both feet. Flames burned across his flesh, snarling savagely. Hazel was not going down without one hell of a fight.

They just needed something, an opportunity of some kind, to get the upper hand.

And strike that lethal blow.

 

Pyrrha

 

Pyrrha sprinted towards him, and Jaune roared with rage, taking his sword with both hands and swinging at her, but she slashed into his sword, throwing golden sparks across the air and making him stagger back. She then jumped off one of the rocks and drove her sword into his neck, dropping him to one knee. She ripped herself free and combined the two swords together, aiming the rifle at him and firing. He stood tall, taking a couple of hits and blocking the last two with his shield.

Pyrrha flipped backwards as he fired his shield at her, blasting powerful shells in her direction. The explosive shells fragmented the sand and rocks. Then she darted forward and slid underneath his legs, slicing Ira Red across the back of his knee. He yelled in anger and pain, falling onto that knee, allowing Pyrrha to jump and wrap her legs around his neck from behind. She redirected her bodyweight downwards and slammed him against the floor, holding him there whilst the sick Fall Maiden blasted across the sky, forming an Obsidian version of Milo in her hand and diving towards Jaune, ramming the weapon straight through his heart.

And nothing.

He suddenly kicked Cinder off his chest, then reached back to Pyrrha, grabbing her by the hair and lifting her off the floor with ease, and punching his shield into her chest, firing the cannon. The explosion caused Pyrrha’s aura to flicker and throw her quite some distance away from Jaune.

He rolled his shoulder, snarling with no regrets in his glowing purple eyes. He turned to see Cinder flying towards him, and she slashed her dual swords across his chest. Sparks and black blood splayed outwards. Cinder gritted her teeth but felt her throat constrict, and a terrible burning sensation grew. “Gods… no… not now…” Cinder gasped, coughing up blood, until suddenly Jaune threw his sword towards her.

She gasped and rolled out of the way, spitting out blood on the floor whilst her eye leaked blood. “Your body is failing you!” Jaune yelled, firing another shell at Cinder. She gritted her bloody teeth and formed a barrier of ice, and used that opportunity to fly into the air, then slammed her swords together, melting them together into a bow. She conjured arrows and fired them at Jaune from above, two of which he parried aside with his shield, but the third landed at his feet and exploded.

The shock wave tossed him backwards, then she flew towards him and punched across his face, landing on the floor and forming a huge fireball in her hands, blasting it towards him. He raised his shield, blocking the incoming explosive projectile, staring her down. Jaune rolled away from her and scooped his sword back into his hand, and he rested the large blade on his shoulder, chuckling darkly. “Well then, even with a rotting body, you still possess some manner of skill!” Jaune laughed, blasting himself into the air by firing his cannon into the ground beneath him, riding the explosion.

He swung downwards towards Cinder, only narrowly missing her, but then she formed a sword and an obsidian axe. She jumped and spun through the air, burying the axe into his sternum, then slashing into his sword as he took a swing at her. Sparks flew from the impact, and then he thrusted forward, a line of purple light trailing from his eyes. He raised his shield and spun on the spot, smashing Cinder across the face and breaking her stance, ripping the axe from his body and launching it back at her.

Pyrrha watched as she started to get back up and turned, looking to see the Brother of Light and Darkness were still watching over her. “I need your help…”

As she tumbled backwards, he charged up his shield, and it hummed louder and louder, before he opened fire, shooting a fully automatic spray of explosive shells across the floor towards her. The ground exploded in a bright display of flames, and the impact threw Cinder against the wall so hard that it knocked the wind out of her.

Jaune approached her on the ground, pointing his sword at her throat.

“JAUNE!” Pyrrha yelled, and he stopped, hearing her voice, and turning to see her stood behind him. “Please… enough of this…” He begged her.

“Pyrrha… it isn’t him anymore…” Cinder wheezed.

“He’s still in there… he has to be…” she stammered as she walked towards him. He stared her down, slowly spinning his sword through his fingers as he walked towards the Invincible Girl.

She held her hand out to him. “Jaune, I know you’re there… you remember me. You’re stronger than Thaddeus. You always have been. Please come back to me, I need you… and I promise I won’t leave you again. I will always be here…” she promised, then Jaune stopped, staring directly at her. His eyes danced around, and she reached her hand out to him.

Tears trickled from her eyes. “Jaune… we can end this… once and for all. Just please… come back to me…”

Jaune stared at the floor, then his glowing purple eyes stared back. “Jaune Arc… is dead.” Thaddeus answered, ramming his sword straight through Pyrrha’s chest. Her eyes widened, and she gasped with shock as she felt the blade cut straight through her heart.

“NO!” Cinder screamed, reaching out for her, rage building in her body. Thaddeus ripped the sword from her body and she fell to her knees and onto her chest, blood pooling across the floor.

“So much for being the Invincible Girl.” Thaddeus scoffed, turning to the enraged Cinder Fall, about to attack him. As he walked towards her, he froze, his eyes widening and he turned, when he heard the sound of Pyrrha getting back up.

“Where are you going, Thaddeus? We’re not done here… yet.” Pyrrha snarled with fury in her eyes, as a golden glow from the God of Light healed her fatal wound, still protecting their Champion even now. The two gods stood side by side behind her, working together to keep her alive.

Thaddeus snarled, gritting his teeth with rage. Pyrrha suddenly sprinted towards him and Cinder flew towards him from behind as well, both yelling with unbridled anger. Thaddeus grunted as Cinder blasted a powerful bolt of lightning into his back, and Pyrrha slashed both her swords across his leg, dropping him to one knee, then immediately jumping to roundhouse kick him across the jaw. As he tumbled away, she transformed her swords together, firing the rifle at him as he raised his shield.

“The hell was that?” Cinder asked.

“I kept pulling my punches… I needed to know… if there really was anything left of the man I loved in there. If he was… he would have never done what he just did. Jaune is gone… it’s just Thaddeus left in his body now.” Pyrrha answered.

Now Pyrrha was done holding back.

Thaddeus aimed his cannon at the two of them and fired, but they both rolled aside, and Cinder flew high above, raining fire down from above at him. The fireballs constantly exploded around and even on him, pushing him backwards with every single one that came his way. He charged his cannon up and fired a powerful shot towards her, but she dropped and pummelled her fists into the ground so hard that fire erupted from the sand, melting and hardening it into obsidian spires. Thaddeus grunted as it scraped up his chest and smashed him against the wall.

Pyrrha suddenly rushed him and flipped backwards, kicking up his chin and landing perfectly on her feet, ducking as he swung across where her head just was. She rolled back and threw Crocea Mortem into his shoulder, then yanked it out with her polarity, and as he stumbled towards her, she sliced across his eyes, splattering black blood across the wall. He snarled with anger as he looked around. The black tar that writhed in his corpse quickly began reconstructing his purple eyes, but just as he could see again, Pyrrha suddenly fired three more explosive arrows into his side.

The explosion set his cape aflame and sent him flying, ramming his sword into the ground to slow himself down. His burning cape flowed in the wind, with billowing smoke laced with twinkling embers. He spiralled his sword around, building up the wind around him and throwing the smoke everywhere, before blasting into the air and spinning, firing constantly all around him. The shells spread out across the skirmish, shattering the cliffs, before he descended and rammed the sword into the floor so hard it knocked Pyrrha back.

She spun her swords through her fingers, staring him down with both Brothers by her side.

 

Lavinia

 

The Winter Maiden blasted massive beams of ice down towards the Black Gallows soldiers, clearing a path for her forces to continue, whilst also slamming down tornadoes into their area of the fight as well, tearing their defences apart. But her eyes were constantly darting up towards the Shadow of Broken Promises.

“Come on, guys… get that virus uploaded.” She stammered, then she gasped, hearing her comms start screeching.

“We need assistance!” The Admiral of one of her Dreadnaughts screamed.

“Clarify?” She answered.

“SALEM! SHE’S BACK ON THE BATTLE… HOLD ON WE’RE GOING DOW-”

The report cut off immediately, and she turned when she heard the deafening boom and blinding orange flash of the Dreadnaught being effortlessly thrown into the ground by nothing. She then saw Salem stood in front of the flames.

Fury filled her chest, and she turned to Joanna and May. “Keep fighting! I’ll keep Salem focused on me.” Lavinia promised.

“WAIT!” May yelled, reaching out for her. She was the most powerful asset they had.

If they lose Lavinia…

… the tide of this battle could change in an instant.

Lavinia flew across the desert at lightning fast speeds, and the faster she went, she could feel the vapor trail increasing behind her, until finally she broke the sound barrier and created a powerful sonic boom behind her. Salem turned when she heard the crack, and saw Lavinia flying directly towards her, tackling Salem and smashing straight through the burning wreckage of the Dreadnaught that Salem just destroyed.

The two of them tumbled across the dunes, Lavinia sliding to a stop, whilst Salem extended her wings to slow herself and dug razor-sharp claws into the sand until she caught onto the rocks.

She stared ahead at Lavinia, smirking.

“Well, well… if it isn’t the tenacious Winter Maiden?” Salem chuckled.

“Those were my people you just slaughtered.” Lavinia snarled.

“Oh? I always assumed you never let your emotions impede your business?” Salem questioned.

“I guess you could say I changed.” Lavinia stated.

“A pity… the old you could have stood a chance against me.” Salem retorted. Lavinia smirked, her eyes burning blue and floating off the ground. A massive swirling storm of blue embers and snowflakes surrounded her.

“You sure about that?” The fully realised Maiden asked.

Salem smirked back, her eyes igniting as well.

Maiden against Maiden.

Chapter 51: Battle of the Maidens

Chapter Text

Lavinia

 

The sky flashed with lightning. Both red and blue streaks of energy forked through the swirling clouds. The wind increased in strength, blowing the black sand around them, and making their long hair blow as well. Lavinia opened her hand and formed a Greatsword forged from ice, and coursing with blue lightning. Salem smirked as she stared her down, eyes burning red and spinning her double ended sword through her fingers. Red lightning crackled across her body.

Salem suddenly erupted off the ground, creating a powerful explosion, and catching lightning in her hand, forming a huge spear of condensed energy. She howled with fury as she came crashing down, smashing the spear into the ground where Lavinia was standing, creating a devastating explosion. The red lightning shot across the terrain, burning all over Lavinia’s body. She tumbled down the snow and swiftly spun around, slashing her sword at Salem, launching an arc of icy energy towards her.

Salem slammed into the ground and sprouted a pair of Nevermore Wings, which she expertly used to block the incoming energy. The feathers froze solid, but she shook her frigid wings off with the slight roll of her shoulders. A tremendous gust of snowy wind swirled around her, then she launched herself into the air and launched her sword towards Salem, but before it could reach her, she also slung a fireball into the sword, shattering it and sending the shards flying towards Salem.

The Dark Queen raised her hands and blasted fire from her palms, melting and evaporating the ice before it could even reach her. As Lavinia hovered above her, she clenched her hands into fists and brought down an entire tornado towards her. The swirling giant of destructive wind crashed into the ground, pulverising the rocks and throwing the shrapnel into Salem.

She grunted as a chunk of rock smashed against the side of her face, breaking a large amount of flesh away, only for it to be quickly regenerated. Salem formed her wings once again and flew into the air, riding the cyclone of wind towards Lavinia. She punched her in the face so hard that a shock wave exploded upon impact, and they both hovered over the battlefield.

Lavinia ducked as Salem extended a tail with a razor sharp bony tail and spun around, slashing towards her throat. Salem did the same attack again but extended the tail further, but this time Lavinia caught into the tail and yelled, yanking the Witch towards her and formed a huge hammer of ice, pummelling Salem down the top of her head with immense force. The impact collapsed her skull into itself and sent her crashing down.

Lavinia held out her hands, eyes glowing bright blue and flames burning bright. The sky lit up with lightning and she stared down at Salem, summoning hundreds of lightning bolts into her hands. She melted the light and twisted it into the shape of a gigantic bow, drawing it and firing a huge electrical arrow laced with ice towards Salem.

The arrow hit her directly, freezing her solid and blowing off one of her arms. The impact of the arrow was like a missile forged from electricity, and she stared down at Salem. To her shock, fire ignited from within and exploded, shattering the ice. Salem snarled, her arm quickly reconstructing itself, and she stared up at Lavinia.

“Your power… truly it is impressive… but even you cannot hope to best me, Winter Maiden.” Salem snarled, slamming the blade of her sword into the ground, eyes glowing brighter. She swiftly tore the blade across the sand and stared up at her. Lavinia gritted her teeth and blasted a powerful beam of ice towards her, but Salem spun her sword so fast it was like a propellor blade, blocking the beam from even reaching her, and once Lavinia stopped, she twisted and flung the sword towards her.

Lavinia gasped and tried to duck, but it hit her immediately, knocking her out of the sky and back onto the ground. Salem suddenly roared like a feral animal and she sprinted across the dunes on all fours, and jumped, slamming her blade at Lavinia, only narrowly missing. The Winter Maiden slid across the sand and dragged her fingers across the grains, blasting ice shards upwards from beneath. One of them sliced across Salem’s cheek, but it accomplished little in slowing her down.

Salem jumped into the air, catching another red lightning bolt and smashing it into the ground. The explosion tossed Lavinia across the floor, but as she rolled across the sand, she formed a pair of ice swords. She threw one towards Salem and it stabbed straight through her chest, and she immediately launched towards Salem’s throat, driving the other sword directly into the side of her neck.

Black blood oozed from the wound, and Salem pushed her sword against the hilt of Lavinia’s before smashing it apart, leaving the ice blade lodged in her jugular. She jumped and spiralled through the air, smashing her sword relentlessly at her, even slicing downwards across her chest, and then dragging her other hand, adorned with claws, through sand and melting the grains into glass, flinging them into Lavinia.

She grunted in pain before Salem sprouted her wings once again and launched Fatal Feathers into her chest. The impact caused Lavinia’s aura to flicker blue, and she crashed through one of the dunes of black sand. Salem jumped high in the air, flying high above Lavinia, before she ignited the blade of her sword, and dove at her, smashing the sword into the floor so hard that the explosion left behind massive spikes of black glass all around her.

The arm which gripped the double-ended sword extended like it was the arm of the Nuckelavee, and she howled with fury, swinging it all around them, setting a blazing ring around them. The orange glow of the flames shone across Lavinia’s face, and she stared with anger back at Salem, who rested her sword on her shoulder, whilst flames still burned in her other hand.

Lavinia stood tall and wiped the sweat from her brow. She opened her palm and felt the roots of nature grapple around her hand. She suddenly swung a huge whip of vines over her head and ignited it as it passed over her. Forked lightning came crashing down around the two of them, and then she zoomed forward, slashing her whip of burning vines across Salem’s chest, before wrapping it around her throat and jumping over her head. She pulled as hard as she could, hoping to burn through her neck and behead her.

But Salem swiftly sliced through the vines, and she blasted flames at the Matriarch of the Vasillias Cartel. Lavinia immediately responded without hesitation, blasting the opposite element back at her. Fire and ice collided, interlocking them in a standoff. As they held each other back, Lavinia’s eyes burned hotter and hotter, when suddenly more roots erupted behind Salem. One of them yanked the sword from her grasp and the other wrapped around the wrist which she was blasting flames from.

It pulled her away and allowed Lavinia to focus the ice into Salem’s chest. The Dark Queen snarled in anger as the shards of frost tore her chest apart. Lavinia held out her hand, and golden lightning shot into her palm, forming into a spear, and she launched it into Salem’s chest.

The impact created a fantastic explosion of forked electricity, blowing Salem’s ribcage wide open and snapping her backwards. Salem laughed sinisterly, as Sulphur Fish poured out from her mouth and open wound. They all scuttled towards her, and Lavinia backed away, snapping her fingers like flint and steel, and blasted a powerful cloud of flames towards them. The beasts were burned to dust, but through the smoke, she nearly felt sick.

Salem had transformed herself into something utterly nightmarish, as limbs sprouted from her body in different places, her head dangling from her shoulder as a Nuckelavee skull emerged. The beast roared with fury, and sprinted on the five limbs that Salem had created, blasting fire from its jaws.

The sheer shock of this horror caused Lavinia to be hit directly by it. She rolled across the floor, and Salem dragged her hand across the floor, and the Nuckelavee head vomited poison across the sand towards her. Lavinia backed up, and she formed a massive axe of ice in her other hand. Salem sprinted towards her, and Lavinia swiftly drove the axe into the beastly neck, cutting the head clean off.

But as the mass of Grimm flesh tumbled past her, Salem burst free from it, coated in the black tar and she stretched her arm out and grabbed her sword, and swung it over her head, electrifying it with red lightning as she smashed it into the ground where Lavinia was standing with all her might. The dunes exploded from the devastating impact, and Lavinia tumbled across the sand, weakened from Salem’s unpredictable onslaught.

Salem laughed sinisterly.

“You are trapped in your meagre human body… but I? I am capable of becoming whatever I desire…” Salem chuckled as she let the Grimm Tar flow back into her skin.

“Heh… and yet… you still keep your old body. Kinda ironic… you hate our kind so much, yet you continue to mould yourselves into our shape. Into the shape you once were.” Lavinia stated.

Salem narrowed her eyes, red lightning still coursing through her body. “You should have stayed in hiding, Vasillias.” Salem warned.

Lavinia chuckled, shaking her head.

She looked at her aura and already knew she was nearing the red. But she looked at her forces that Salem decimated and saw the few survivors retreating, surviving thanks to her intervention.

“No… I’m done hiding.” Lavinia stated, standing tall, eyes burning bright blue.

The storm raged on around them, as did the battle.

 

Ruby

 

The torrential cyclone of Grave Dust swirled around him, and he levitated off the floor before he came crashing down, slamming three hammers into the sand, so hard that the shock wave collapsed the Sand Dunes. Ruby grunted, tossed through the air, but swiftly transforming into Rose Petal form to control her descent. She slid across the sand and immediately transformed Black Thorn into Pistol Mode, firing flaming bullets at the Disgraced Doctor.

Watts suddenly formed a massive Draconic Hand, with burning Fire Dust in the palm, and he swiped at Ruby, only narrowly missing as she dashed aside, her petals flowing around the hand. She immediately went for Watts, slashing across his chest and knocking him off his pedestal of ash. Watts crashed into the sand, but swiftly fired his Revolver at her, hitting Ruby in the chest with an explosive bullet, damaging her aura again, pushing her closer and closer into the red. She rolled across the floor when Penny flew overhead and fired multiple green bolts at him.

He held his arm up, blocking the incoming bolts of green energy with his hardlight dust. Penny dragged her other swords across the ground as she lunged at him, slashing up his chest, making his green aura shimmer with the hard strike. His body floated into the air, and she caught him by the heel, and threw him into the rocks. Watts barked in pain before he pointed at her, and sharpened multiple clouds of Grave Dust into spears, and he threw them all towards her.

Penny spiralled through the air, cutting two of them down, but still being hit in the chest by the third. She yelped in pain as she tumbled through the sand. Black grains fell from her fluffy orange hair, and she held her chest, staring ahead at him as he flew into the air with his Grave Dust. He clasped the dust in his hands, forging three knives and throwing them at Ruby, before launching high in the air and constructing another hammer, slamming it towards her.

Ruby dashed forward and swiftly hooked her scythe under his jaw and flung him over her shoulder. He crashed into the ground, and immediately formed a hand cannon on his arm, firing an explosive shell at her. But she rolled out of the way, firing the other Scythe in Volcanic Pistol form at him. He raised his Hardlight Shield bracer on his other arm, deflecting the incoming bullets.

He suddenly slammed his hand against the ground, allowing the Grave Dust to crash against the floor. She looked around and gasped as she saw the dust form into replicas of Weiss, Blake, and Yang.

“Have fun… oh and don’t worry… I’ll be watching from up here.” He chuckled, floating above them with a constant field of dust protecting him. Penny flew towards him, but spikes burst out from the ball, nearly hitting her.

“I can’t get close!” Penny called out, but Ruby closed her silver eyes, swallowing the feeling in her chest.

Not again…

She stared at Weiss, and flashes of that night came back.

Not again…

Penny suddenly grabbed Ruby, shaking her. “It’s not them! Look.” Ruby looked again, and the perfect details of their faces were gone, replaced by writhing black dust. They raised their weapons and Ruby exhaled, scowling at them. She spun Black Thorn through her fingers, whilst Watts watched from above.

Penny rotated her ten swords behind her back, staying close to Ruby’s side. Suddenly, the Cemetary Huntresses sprinted towards them. Weiss jumped and slashed Myrtenaster at Ruby, only narrowly missing, and allowing Ruby to spin around and kick her across the face. She rolled away and fired her pistols at her, but the Grave Weiss deflected the incoming bullets easily, and suddenly thrusted towards her. Ruby reacted fast, stamping down on the false blade, slashing across her chest. The dust body broke apart but quickly reconstructed itself.

Behind her, Penny was having to face off against Blake and Yang at the same time, flying into the air, dodging the incoming shells fired from Ember Celica. She deflected them with her swords, until Blake threw Gambol Shroud towards her, wrapping it around her leg and yanking her downwards, and Yang jumped up, punching her in the face extremely hard. Penny crashed to the floor, and Yang swiftly jumped after her, slamming her fist into the ground where her head just was.

Penny blasted herself aside with the thrusters in her boots, then flipped back onto her feet, swinging all her swords around and slashing them across Yang’s face. She stumbled away, but Blake vaulted over Yang’s shoulder, kicking Penny in the face with both feet. She stumbled a few steps back, but quickly recovered, firing a bolt of green energy from one of her swords which tore Blake’s Grave Dust arm clean off, then she spun through the air and kicked downwards, against the top of Blake’s head.

She collapsed onto the floor, and then she raised her swords to deflect Yang, causing her to bounce away from her. Sparks flew from the sudden impact, then Penny stared at the two of them, then back at Watts, hearing him chuckle sinisterly.

“Are we having fun now, Child of Pietro?” Watts chuckled.

“You tell me!” Penny yelled back, swiftly firing a powerful beam with all her swords aiming at the two of them, blowing their ashen bodies to pieces, leaving nothing behind.

Ruby rolled aside as Weiss slashed across her legs, only narrowly missing. Ruby flipped backwards, throwing Black Thorn towards Weiss, cutting straight through Weiss’ arm and breaking Myrtenaster apart. Ruby sprinted towards her, and immediately slashed straight through Weiss’ body, cutting it clean in two. But the grave dust continued to fight back, so Ruby grabbed her other gun and loaded fresh explosive rounds into the chamber. She backflipped away, and fired them both at Weiss, destroying the shadow.

Ruby landed and Penny stood beside her, hearing Watts chuckle once again.

“Impressive, Miss Rose. To think that all those years ago you would become such a nuisance.” Watts laughed, the ball of dust suddenly started pulsating, and then it shattered, blasting shards of hardened Grave Dust across the battlefield, slashing across the couple’s bodies, throwing them across the dunes.

Watts slammed to the ground and struck the hammer of his revolver relentlessly, decimating the rocks in front of them with powerful explosive rounds before switching to ice bullets. The round shattered, sending spreading shards of ice towards them. Penny yelped, her hand being frozen against one of the rocks, and Ruby grunted as she was hit in the chest.

Watts jumped into the air and swirled a vast cloud of Grave Dust over his head and then sent it roaring towards the two of them. It shredded through their aura as they screamed, whittling them down to nothing, and their bodies crackled with embers of red and green aura, left with nothing left. Watts chuckled as he walked towards them, spinning his revolver through his fingers.

Penny ripped herself free, and she fired a powerful beam at him, but he deflected it with a huge hardlight shield, the beam carved through one of the crystals, sending it crashing into the ground. Black sand blew in the wind and he fired his gun, hitting Penny in the gut. She screamed in immense pain, but thanks to her mechanical body, it was nowhere near as fatal as it could have been if she were organic.

“Penny!” Ruby screamed, still afraid for her girlfriend’s safety, sparks leaking from Penny’s stomach.

“I’m… okay…” She winced, grabbing her stomach.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk…” Watts tutted as he approached them, loading fresh bullets into his revolver, but Ruby already noticed that he was running low, just by how light the pouch appeared as he walked.

How many does he have left?

Those could be the last ones…

And he hasn’t got much aura left… he must be in the red now.

“Your skills are impressive, Miss Rose, Miss Polendina. It’s a shame that you fought for the losing side. Imagine what we could have accomplished together?” Watts asked them, holding out his arms.

“Accomplished? All you’ve… accomplished… is ensuring that Remnant and everyone on it will die. You’ve enabled Salem to destroy everything… there will be nothing and nobody left to laud your efforts.” Ruby reminded.

“Not if I kill Salem first.” Watts reminded.

“You can’t. You think she didn’t already know? She admitted that to our faces. Do you really think you can stab her in the back again? After the stunt you just pulled?” Ruby questioned.

“The Relic of Choice will be all the power I need to destroy her. By commanding another to use the Relic of Destruction and slay her… I will take the feeble remains of this world and create something new.” Watts stated, making Penny chuckle.

“You sound just like her.” Penny said.

“Perhaps… but unlike her, my mind is not addled by visions of revenge.” Watts stated.

“Oh really? What about the Unified Government of Remnant? Jacques Schnee? Your sister? Was that really the actions of a man who wasn’t interested in revenge?” Ruby questioned. He glared down at her. “At least Salem knows who she is… and isn’t constantly lying to herself.”

Suddenly Grave Dust cables sprouted from the sand, coiling around their arms to restrain them. They both yelled in pain as he held them out, lifting them off the floor.

“It matters not what you think of me, child. Because neither of you will live to see the world I will create. That is the only certainty I require.” Watts stated, pulling the hammer of his revolver back with his thumb, locking a fresh bullet in the chamber.

He pressed the barrel against her head, smirking.

“RUBY! NO!” Penny shrieked.

But Ruby showed no fear.

She just scowled back at Watts.

Ready.

 

Eryka

 

The mad howling laugh of Tyrian Callows echoed throughout the Ampitheater, jumping into the air, with purple energy trailing from his body. He slashed at Eryka first, only narrowly missing her as she rolled away, firing three arrows at him with great speed. He deflected the first one, then ducked under the next and was hit by the third. He recoiled back but his stinger swung towards her. But Eryka rolled backwards, transforming Constantine Damascus into Shotgun Form, firing a blast of shell fragments into his chest.

The impact launched him across the room, but he sprinted with great speed before he rushed at Eryka again, scraping his blade across the floor and flinging sparks into her face. She grunted in pain when suddenly his tail coiled around her throat, instantly breaking her aura as he threw her into the air. She plummeted towards the ground until Winter caught her whilst riding a Summoned Nevermore.

“Don’t let the fucker touch you!” Eryka warned, groaning in pain as her blue aura was constantly flickering, trying to regenerate despite the effect of his semblance. Winter looked down as Tyrian watched them fly across the room, and he snarled viciously, eyes constantly glowing purple. Suddenly an icicle slammed into his foot, freezing his foot in place, and he turned to see a furious Weiss Schnee zooming towards him.

She jumped up and blasted an explosive glyph against his chest, blowing the ice apart and sending him tumbling backwards. Tyrian growled, like a feral animal, his tail arched over his head as he stared at Weiss, who elegantly pointed Myrtenaster at him. He smirked and darted towards her, so fast she gasped, but swiftly deflected the incoming blades. She skated across the glyphs she conjured, staying away from his reach, and constantly forming more of her glyphs, all of which were firing fireballs at him, which he was playfully dodging, giggling like a child at play.

“Would you like to know which one of them started crying first? Or the one who held out the longest?” Tyrian baited teeth gritted into a mad grin.

“SHUT UUUUP!” Weiss shrieked, jumping into the air and driving Myrtenaster into the ground, blasting huge spines of ice towards him. He slid across the floor, then sprung off his coiled tail, firing his machine guns at her. But as he flew through the air, Winter suddenly launched herself into his side. She smashed the side of his head into the floor with her boot, then rolled away from him, only narrowly avoiding his grip.

Eryka stayed back, waiting for Tyrian’s semblance to stop affecting her aura, and fired arrow after arrow at him. That was easily the best way to beat him, to overcome him. Yet even then, he could still fight all three of them at the same time. He raised his blades, deflecting Winter’s sword, and he slashed his hand towards her stomach, only narrowly missing. She suddenly detached her secondary blade and rammed it into the top of his hand, pinning him to the floor.

Tyrian screeched with agony, then laughed as he felt the pain, bringing him great pleasure. His laugh faded swiftly as she roundhouse kicked him in the mouth, her blade slicing straight between his fingers. He rolled across the floor, staring at the blood leaking from his wound, and running his tongue across it.

Weiss drove Myrtenaster into the floor, summoning the Arma Gigas once again, and the huge Knight sprinted towards Tyrian, jumping and spinning through the air, before bringing all that momentum down towards him. The ground exploded, and Tyrian bounced off the chunks that flew in the air, before lunging towards the Spectral Knight and stabbing his tail all the way through its eye socket, and hauled it towards the ground, killing it instantly.

Winter immediately attacked him, slashing across his purple aura and kicking him in the face, before igniting both her swords, hacking and slashing at him relentlessly. The second that he saw the flames, his eyes widened, and he screamed with fear, backing away from Winter. “Yeah, terrified of this aren’t ya?” Winter yelled as she kept moving towards him, swinging relentlessly at him, but as she swung, he suddenly spun and smashed his metal tail across her face, and knocking one of the swords from her grasp. The blade clattered along the floor, and then he jumped at her and stamped against the side of her face, pinning her to the floor with gritted teeth.

Winter yelled in pain, before slamming her hand against the floor, and creating a black glyph, magnetising her body to the floor and blasting a powerful shock wave at him. Tyrian was thrown into the air, and shot by Eryka’s bow. The arrow exploded against his chest, causing him to crash across the floor. Winter swiftly got back up, turning to see Eryka back by her side now that her aura had recovered from Tyrian’s attack.

Weiss quickly ignited Myrtenaster with Fire Dust, cleverly taking a page from Winter earlier, and she sliced her sword across the ground, sending an arc of flames towards him and burning a straight like across the ground. He rolled out of the way and ran from the flames, showing his phobia clear as day, and thus a weakness. As he sprinted, he suddenly sprung off his tail, laughing maniacally once again as he fired his machine guns down at Weiss before coming crashing down, smashing his metal stinger into the ground. The explosive landing threw Weiss backwards, but she formed a glyph which rocketed her back at him.

She slashed across him, burning him and making him scream with both rage and pain. He turned to attack her, but Eryka jumped and stamped on his tail, before punching him in the side of the face. As he remained stuck, Winter also stabbed into his chest relentlessly with her sword, and Weiss thrusted forward, blasting a fiery explosion into him. Eryka leapt away just before she hit him, and the impact caused his purple aura to flicker.

He dragged the Queen’s Servants across the ground, golden sparks dancing across the tiles. But he immediately returned the favour, firing his machine guns at them like a madman. Weiss deflected them and so did Winter, whilst Eryka just had to run to avoid them. She jumped off the wall, firing a trio of arrows at Tyrian, all of which he slid underneath. Eryka gasped as he caught her by the throat, breaking her aura instantly once again, but this time, he slashed across her stomach and threw her against the floor.

Eryka gasped in pain, feeling blood ooze from the open wound, and then he stabbed down at her. She yelled out, catching the blade with both hands, screaming in agony as the serrated edges of his pincer blades cut into her palms. He grinned wildly as he forced her towards the ground, stinger aiming at her head.

Winter didn’t even hesitate to throw herself into Tyrian’s side, knocking him across the floor, and driving her sword into the ground, blasting rocks from beneath the floor at him with Earth Dust. The rocks sliced across his body, but he still sprinted at her, swiping Winter off her feet with his tail and swiftly sending the stinger towards her throat. She caught it with one hand, only barely keeping it back.

The stinger pushed harder and harder, purple venom dripping from the tip of the barb. Weiss launched herself into the air, forming three glyphs above her head which all shot fireballs at him. He turned when he saw the familiar glow of orange and immediately left Winter. The Atlesian Specialist got back up, tending to Eryka at once.

Weiss landed and kept Myrtenaster aimed at him, and kicking Slice ‘N Dice into her other hand, dual wielding them. She stared Tyrian down with gritted teeth.

Tyrian giggled as he stood tall, rolling his shoulder. “You’ve grown strong, Schnee… I’m impressed.” Tyrian giggled. “No wonder the blue one fell for you… fat lot of good that did for him in the end, though.” He chuckled with a mad grin.

Weiss gritted her teeth and went to lunge for him, but Winter grabbed her arm, stopping Weiss. “Weiss…”

She stopped, looking back at her sister, who was stopping Winter’s bleeding. “Remember… emotions can grant you strength…”

Weiss closed her eyes and calmed her nerves. “… but you must never let them overpower you.” She finished, turning her gaze back to Tyrian, still grinning at her. He raised his hands, gesturing her towards him.

“C’MON!” He yelled.

Weiss kept her sword aimed at him, slowly walking away from Winter and Eryka, but keeping her focus solely on the Scorpio.

Tyrian suddenly lunged towards her, slashing relentlessly, but with both the swords she blocked and deflected every single blow from his blades. She flipped backwards off one of her glyphs, thrusting her away and kicking him up the jaw. She pointed Myrtenaster at him and fired three bolts of electricity at him as he sprinted towards her. As he darted past each of them, she sprinted at him and slid underneath his blade, slashing across his chest with Eryka’s shortsword. He grunted and tumbled across the floor before pushing her feet off the wall, slamming one of the Queen’s Servants into the ground where she just was.

Weiss threw fire dust into the air, and just as it ignited in the air, she slashed the two swords through it, igniting their blades. And as the fireball passed, knowing Tyrian would not advance in its presence, she shot towards him, slashing with them both, only narrowly missing as he rolled away. She formed a glyph in front of her and thrusted both blades through it, blasting a focused beam of fire towards him, hitting him directly in the chest.

He rolled backwards, batting away the flames with his hand, but Weiss swiftly skated towards him, dragging her sword across the floor as she circled him, trapping them both in a ring of fire. His eyes widened, and he panicked, surrounded by nothing but flames. He stared at her and gritted his teeth.

“What’s wrong? Scared?” She asked, and Tyrian grabbed at his head before hollering wildly, and he jumped at her, spinning through the air, smashing the bulb of his stinger into the floor where she just was, and spinning around, blasting out a jet of poisonous smoke from the cybernetic limb. Weiss ducked and held her breath, covering her nose. She rushed underneath it, then slashed across the back of his leg, but when she swung Eryka’s sword towards his back, his tail came up and deflected it.

She swung his leg around towards her face in a roundhouse kick, but she ducked beneath it and blasted a powerful gust of air at him, throwing him towards the flames. He extended his metal tail and sprung himself off the floor, back at Weiss. She gasped, eyes widening, and she shot herself away just in time, through the flames.

It damaged her aura, but also caused him to throw himself into the flames. He screamed in terror as he felt the flames burn him, turning to see Weiss jump high in the air, and throwing a Summoned Sword from the Arma Gigas at him. He bent backwards, only narrowly avoiding it, before he swung his head forward into Weiss’.

She grunted, then crossed her swords together, blocking the Queen’s Servants, locking each other together in a vicious stare.

 

Ren

 

Icarus bellowed with Blind Rage in his heart, eyes glowing blood red.

He jumped into the air, and his thrusters blasted him towards Ren and his Father, slashing Undying Hatred towards them both, spinning across the floor as he slid past. Ren deflected the incoming attack, firing Stormflower repeatedly at him, running across the tower they stood upon. Up above, the Shadow of Broken Promises battled against the fleet of White Fang and Vasillias Cartel Dreadnaughts. Every now and then a cannon would fire and rattle their bones.

Ren slid across the floor, firing up at Icarus, who slung grenades towards him, detonating them the second they hit the floor. Ren flipped through the air, firing his grappling hook into the tower to swing himself back onto the roof. Li rolled across the floor, firing his Bow up at Icarus and clipping one of his wings. He came crashing down, and snarled like a savage dog, before throwing one of the Khopeshes at him.

Li rolled across the floor, but just as he stood up, Icarus was suddenly on him, slamming his other Khopesh downwards on his cane. He effortlessly yanked the staff from his grip, then opened his hand, activating the Gravitational Link between them, catching it as it flew back to him. Icarus spun around, slashing his metal feathers across Li’s chest, then blasting into the sky, before he came crashing down, firing grenades from his bracers, weakening the tower more and more with all the explosions.

“There will be nothing left for anyone to remember you by…” Icarus snarled, launching himself towards Li once again, kicking him in the side of the head, and pinning his throat to the floor with one of his wings. He turned as Ren sprinted towards him, firing Stormflower at him, but Icarus raised his other wing, blocking the incoming bullets with ease. But Ren jumped and fired a bullet directly into his eye.

Icarus bellowed in fury, grabbing the side of his head, staring at him with bright red eyes, and he suddenly lunged towards him. He swung his khopeshes so wildly that he was completely unpredictable in his attacks. Ren backed away constantly, swinging at his khopeshes as desperately as he could, sparks flying from every single contact made. Icarus recoiled back as Ren made a hard retaliation against his blade, and Ren kicked him in the face, then sliding underneath his legs. He jumped and drove Stormflower into the back of his mechanical wings, ripping into the cables and thrusters.

Just… need to ground him… then it will be an even fight!

Suddenly thruster fire erupted into Ren’s face, and Icarus flew into the air, with him barely hanging on. Icarus kicked at him, and eventually ripped him away, and also caused a chunk of his Wingsuit to break apart. He yelled in anger as the thruster spluttered. He descended but could still fly, just having to focus more than before. He slammed to the ground and slashed his wing at Ren.

He ducked, then punched Icarus in the jaw. The Mercenary snarled wildly as one of his protein canisters broke, causing hissing air to burst out. He grabbed at his mechanical jaw in agony, yanking another canister off and replacing it to soothe his pain.

Icarus growled like a dog again, and suddenly clicked the triggers of Undying Hatred, causing flames to coat the curved blades as fire dust canisters erupted across them. His thrusters shot out, and he spun relentlessly, zooming towards Ren. He was like a mad dancer the way he span, his wings splayed out as well, slashing relentlessly as he rotated towards Ren and Li.

Li grunted, hit by both Khopesh and Wing, causing his aura to flicker and crashing him against one of the weakening pillars. Ren kept backing him, and Icarus finished his berserk spinning attack with a jump into the air, and slammed the two weapons into the floor so hard it created a fiery explosion.

He glared through the flames with rage in his red eyes, but Ren swiftly fired his grappling hook towards him and wrapped it around his throat, and yanked himself towards Icarus, dropkicking him in the head. Icarus fell backwards, and immediately threw his Khopesh towards him, but Ren deflected it away with Stormflower, firing his machine guns at him. Icarus raised his metal wing, deflecting the green bullets and slowly walking towards him, catching his Khopesh as it returned to his hand.

Icarus suddenly flipped forward, slashing down Ren’s chest, and exploding the floor. Ren tumbled off the edge, only narrowly catching onto the edge. As he tried to climb back up, Icarus suddenly stamped on his fingers, staring down at him, snarling savagely. Suddenly, an arrow shot into his back from behind, landing directly in the thruster. Icarus turned, and his eyes widened.

Icarus roared in agony, his aura breaking instantly as the explosion of his thruster spread through the metal wings, burning them apart. He stumbled away from Ren, and he flipped himself over the edge, and aimed Stormflower at him.

But none of them were ready for what was headed for them.

 

Nora

 

Hazel jumped into the air, roaring as he electrified his metal leg and slashed it at her, only narrowly missing her as she rolled away and threw Magni into his face. He grunted, knocked back a few steps by the sudden blunt strike to his face. Then she spun Stormur Skeggox through her fingers, and slashed across his chest, cutting through his skin and the stone armour beneath it.

She jumped and smashed Magni down the top of his head, but he suddenly punched her directly in the chest, throwing her into the wall. She yelped in pain, and Oscar sprinted towards him, sliding and wrapping the chains of Thunderous Deception around his other leg, tripping him over and causing his head to smash against the floor. As Hazel turned, Oscar jumped towards him, smashing his hammer towards his head, only for Hazel to catch it and punch him in the face.

As Oscar crashed into the floor, Hazel ignited his hands and punched them into the floor, roaring as he created a massive explosion, flickering Oscar’s aura and making him tumble across the Throne Room. Oscar’s eyes flashed and Ozma took control of his body, suddenly blasting a beam of green electrical magic towards Hazel, burning away his flesh on one of his arms. Hazel snarled with hate, forcing himself forward despite the colossal power of his magic.

Hazel suddenly formed a mass of magma in his hard, hardened into obsidian, and he hurled it towards Ozma, only just missing as he blasted another bolt of magic into it, shattering it into dust before it could even reach. He stood before Hazel, spinning the Long Memory through his fingers. Hazel growled as magma leaked from his mouth, and then he jumped into the air, forming a lightning spear in his hand and smashing it into the ground. The explosion threw Ozma backwards, and he drove his cane into the floor to slow himself down. As he slid, he raised chunks of rubble off the floor with his magic and launched it back at Hazel.

He raised his arms, and the rock armour completely made the attack pointless, just shattering off his arms. Hazel suddenly grabbed onto one of the destroyed chairs and threw it towards Ozma, smashing him against the wall, and then he punched him in the head, so hard that it knocked him unconscious.

Hazel raised his fists above his head, until Nora suddenly smashed her fist into the side of his head, her scars and veins glowing pink.

He crashed across the room, then pushed himself back onto his feet, staring back at her, growling savagely. He wiped the magma and blood from his mouth, keeping his fists raised.

The battle raged on above, and she spun her axe through her fingers, stood in front of Oscar on the ground.

This was it…

… all she had to do…

… was aim for the head.

Chapter 52: The Hanging

Chapter Text

Blake

 

Adam sprinted across the ground towards Blake and Yang, stabbing Wilt and Blush into the ground. Red flames erupted, and he scraped it through the rock as he continued to run forward, before slashing ahead and launching burning chunks of shrapnel towards them. Blake vanished whilst Yang crossed her arms together, shielding herself from the incoming burning projectiles.

As Yang lifted her gaze, Adam slammed his sword against her arm, glaring directly into her eyes with gritted teeth, and suddenly a ball of red energy formed between them, and it detonated. The explosion cause Yang’s yellow aura to flicker and he flipped through the air, spinning and swinging his sword at her, firing arcs of powerful red energy at her, which cut across the stone and left glowing red fissures in their wake.

Yang rolled to the side, then blasted Ember Celica into the floor, riding the recoil to send her flipping backwards, but Adam suddenly came crashing down, ramming his sword into the floor. A storm of slashing formed around him, only narrowly missing Blake when she went for an ambush attack. She jumped away and fired her pistol at him, which he swiftly deflected with his red blade, and sheathed his sword once again, before suddenly unsheathing it, firing a massive and explosive red arc of energy towards her, shattering the rocks between them.

Blake was thrown across the area, crashing against the floor and rolling to a stop, turning and gasping as Adam jumped towards her, burning his blade into the ground where her head just was. The heat from his sword melted the rock, turning it to lava, and as she got up, he swung upwards, throwing the magma in her direction. She flipped away and her shadow was swallowed by the magma, but just as she landed, he fired his shotgun into her chest, flickering her purple aura.

He sprinted towards her and went to stamp on her head with his hooved foot, only for Yang to tackle him to the ground, smashing her cybernetic fist into his face, relentlessly, with glowing red eyes. As she pummelled his face, he caught her hand and chuckled sinisterly, smirking at her. “Is that all you’ve got?” He barked, kicking her in the gut with both feet. She flew into one of the massive pillars that held the upper section of the castle above the dark pits of Grimm beneath.

Yang crashed to the floor and nearly fell off the edge, only being saved by her hand digging into the rocks. She swung herself back up and cocked Ember Celica, firing missiles towards him.

He sheathed his sword and suddenly moved like a red blur, slashing faster than the light could keep up with, cutting all the missiles apart before they could even reach him. He launched towards her, but Blake wrapped her grappling hook around his throat and pulled him away from her, allowing Yang to blast towards him, smashing her fist across his jaw from the side. He grunted, but spun around and swung his Shotgun Scabbard at her. Yang raised her metal arm, blocking the blow and fired into his chest, pushing him towards Blake who jumped away, leaving a Fire Dust Shadow behind.

It detonated and Adam grunted as it threw him into the air, and Yang rocketed herself up towards him, grabbing onto his legs and flipping him over her shoulder and throwing him back into the ground. The impact was so hard that now his aura was flickering, too. He grunted, pushing his sword into the ground and glaring back at Yang and Blake.

Blake wasted no time, reloading Gambol Shroud and firing it at him, before grabbing onto the ribbon of her blade and swinging it further ahead, the blade slashing across Adam’s body, and she flipped towards him, smashing her scabbard down onto his head and also bringing her foot downwards as well. He nearly collapsed from that combo of attacks, but Blake swiftly drop kicked him away.

He drove his sword into the ground, staring back at the couple with his blinded eye glowing bright red, just like his smouldering hair and clothes. But then he closed his eyes, and he bowed his head, both his hands rested upon the pommel of his sword.

Yang looked at Blake, confused as to what was happening.

“I… will not be bested… not by you… not by either of you…” Adam snarled, then they noticed the red flames crackling around his body, his grip on the sword tightened. “I will never… be defeated… BY EITHER OF YOU COWARDS!” Adam bellowed, suddenly glaring at them, and now both of his eyes were flushed with glowing red light. He suddenly shot towards them, and four black and red shadows of himself shot towards them, slashing and exploding into red flames, all of them screaming with malformed voices of his pain.

Blake deflected one, but the other slashed across her, tossing her across the floor, whilst Yang punched one of them away, and took the explosion of the other to the chest. She yelped in pain, and looked up to see Adam suddenly rushing towards Blake, kicking the sword from her hand. The blade clattered off the edge and fell into the rocks below. He grabbed onto her throat and lifted her off the ground, his red sword firmly in the other hand.

“This… is justice… for what you did to me, my love.” Adam snarled, raising his sword towards her heart. But Yang’s eyes burned red and she roared with rage.

“ADAAAAM!” she yelled, getting his attention, and she punched her fist into the ground, ripping a chunk of rock from beneath her and throwing it towards him. Adam chucked Blake aside and swung downwards, cleaving the rock in two just as it came towards him, but through the dust Yang threw herself towards him, and punched him in the face. He ducked and dodged her many attacks.

But he kicked her, and she slid across the floor, then sheathed his sword, grinning maniacally. Everything went black and red as he slightly drew it, bleeding with red light. “YANG!” Blake shrieked, knowing what was coming from that unmistakable sound.

But Yang scowled back at him, and he swung Moonslice towards her, creating a massive explosive beam of red energy towards her. But Yang raised her cybernetic arm and took the brunt of the attack. The heat melted the yellow pain away, and scorch marks burnt across the metal plates, twisting and bending the steel. Yang gritted her teeth as she held it back, digging her boots into the ground, taking the full attack.

The red blast ceased, and Adam stared at her, panting, eyes trailing with red energy. But Yang stood tall, lowering her heavily damaged arm, smoking and sparking, with a deep blackened gash in the cybernetics.

“Is… that all you’ve got?” Yang challenged, panting as well.

Adam gritted his teeth, growling like a savage beast, until suddenly the sky lit up, and within  a few moments, the ground shook… the entire castle of Evernight above them came crashing down.

 

Pyrrha

 

Thaddeus growled, his eyes piercing with a dark purple glow, and he sprinted towards Pyrrha, jumping into the air, flipping overhead and firing three cannon shells from his shield down at Pyrrha. She rushed away from the explosive rounds that came her way, then she ripped chunks of metallic shrapnel from the sand, left behind by the destruction of this massive war raging all around them, and she launched them from the sand with her polarity into him.

Thaddeus grunted, hit in the gut and the shoulder by two of the chunks, tumbling across the sand, but he ripped them out with ease, not even flinching. He sprinted towards Pyrrha and charged up his shield cannon, firing a fully automatic spray of shells towards her, blowing the dunes apart. She slid down what remained of the one she was standing on, then jumped towards him, slashing Ira Red and Crocea Mortem down his chest.

Sparks flew from the impact, but he punched her in the face, then swung around with his enormous sword, only narrowly missing her when she dropped onto her knees and leant all the way back. She stabbed Crocea Mortem into his knee and as he collapsed, she jumped, and smashed her sharpened knee plate up his chin, and as she landed, she grabbed the Salem Knight by the head and smashed his face into the same piece of armour.

He growled with rage, black blood leaking from his face, then he smirked sadistically, suddenly on all fours and jumping towards her with his sword still in his grasp. The sudden switch from a Knightly Warrior to a Feral Beast caught her off guard, and he slammed the sword into the ground at her feet, before scraping the blade through snow and stone, and slashed up her chest.

Pyrrha grunted in pain, crashing back into the sand, having to roll aside as he stamped into the black sand where her head just was. She connected both swords together and fired the transformed rifle at him. But he raised his shield, blocking each hit, then suddenly thrusted towards her, which she countered by stamping on his sword. He fell forward but released the sword and punched Pyrrha up the face, before grabbing her by the throat and throwing her into the air, but just as he went to shoot her out of the sky, Cinder launched a spear of lightning into his side.

The impact created a deafening crack, and the explosion blew off chunks of his armour plating, golden electricity coursing across his body.

Thaddeus snarled savagely, turning to see Cinder hovering above him, before coming crashing down with a burning Obsidian Hammer, the impact creating an explosion which launched magma all over the surrounding area. He raised his shield, then pirouette slashed towards Cinder with his huge sword, slamming the tip of the blade into the ground, then smashing his shield across her face. She grunted and staggered back, coughing more and more as her body continued to weaken from Noctis Putrida.

Thaddeus kicked her in the chest, and she fell to the floor, coughing up blood again. “Fuck…” Cinder choked.

Thaddeus chuckled as he walked towards her, shaking his head. “To think that once people feared you… and you gave all that up for a child. Such a fate… to die so slowly… is deserved for such a weak soul.” Thaddeus stated, grabbing his sword with both hands and going to bring it down onto her head.

Cinder scowled, eye burning hotter, and spitting her blood into Thaddeus’ eyes, temporarily blinding him. She blasted into the air and punched him directly in the face, throwing him off balance, and then she formed her Obsidian Axe and drove the blade into his neck and shoulder, forcing him down to one knee. Thaddeus growled in anger as Cinder stared back at his purple eyes.

“You should keep quiet more often… you keep making mistakes.” Cinder warned, forming a fireball in her hand and blasting it into his face. Thaddeus roared with rage and pain, and she ripped her axe from his neck and spun around, throwing the axe directly into his head, making him stumble backwards. The axe cracked upon impact, and he dropped to his knees. Pyrrha stared at the sight of Jaune’s body with that axe in her head, and it still hurt to see… but knowing that it was Thaddeus eased that pain.

What they didn’t expect was for him to start laughing, and to suddenly grab the axe in his skull, and crush it with ease. “When will you understand? I cannot be slain… not by any mortal means…” Thaddeus stated, as dark purple smoke trailed from his split skull, black blood flooding into the wound and reconstructing his head. His eyes shone bright purple, and he held the sword in both hands, staring them both down.

“The dark magic… his immortality spell is still in effect.” Pyrrha remembered having a flashback to when he murdered his wife to become immortal… in his selfish and mad pursuit of power.

Thaddeus suddenly jumped into the air and he swung his sword so hard and fast at Cinder that it fired arcs of wind towards her, knocking her into the dunes. Pyrrha sprinted up the rocks and jumped towards Thaddeus, slashing across his side with her dual swords. Black blood squirted from his side, but he deflected her next swing, gripping the massive blade with one hand, and punching her in the face with the top of the shield.

Pyrrha rolled backwards, then she threw Ira Ren into his chest, then yanked him towards her with her polarity and jumped at him, slashing straight through his throat with Crocea Mortem. And still… nothing.

No reaction to the black blood bursting from his neck.

He just stared at her and fired his cannon at her, which she only narrowly dodged, then Cinder flew high above him, raining fire from the sky at him. The flames burned across the snow and into his chest, which he blocked with his shield. Pyrrha fired her rifle at him before disconnecting the blades from each other and slashed them relentlessly, flipping backwards and throwing one of them towards his head.

He dodged it and rolled across the floor, before jumping high in the air and plunging his sword into the ground where she was standing. He roared like a wild beast as he charged the cannon of his shield up, then smashed the barrel into the ground, and fired relentlessly, creating tremendous explosions that pushed both the Fall Maiden and Invincible Girl away from him.

“I have seen his memories… of your pitiful life together… of how you abandoned him, despite all your teachings.” Thaddeus chuckled as he stared at Pyrrha, turning to deflect the swords of Cinder with his. “All for the dreams of destiny… to die a meaningless death.”

Pyrrha scowled, tightening her grip on her swords. He suddenly spun around and roundhouse kicked Cinder into the rocks, and pointed his sword at Pyrrha. “Tell me… Invincible Girl of the Nikolaos Bloodline…”

She spun her swords through her fingers. “Look upon what remains of him… were your efforts worth it?”

Pyrrha scowled. “I’m still proud of him… I always will be. He is better than you could have ever dreamed of being. Look at you… you’re not even human anymore… no better than the Grimm.” Pyrrha stated, making Thaddeus laugh.

“I? I have become more than your meagre mind could ever imagine… I am power and war… incarnate. I… cannot… ever… die.” Thaddeus laughed, eyes glowing bright gold. “So continue your meaningless actions… nothing you can ever do will ever cut me down.”

“Not unless we kill Salem… then nothing can tie you to this world.” Pyrrha stated.

“And what of your beloved? Would you truly cut him down?” He asked.

Pyrrha paused.

Tears welled in her eyes for a few moments, but she hardened herself, tightening her grip on her swords. “Jaune… is gone… I finally understand that now. The least I can do is make sure that you cannot use his body, and cannot hurt anyone, ever again.” Pyrrha stated.

Thaddeus chuckled.

“You may try… and you will fail.” Thaddeus stated, keeping his sword pointed at her, gripping it with both hands now.

Pyrrha spun her swords through her fingers with Cinder beside her until a blinding flash of light shone across the sky.

And a smile formed on her face.

 

Lavinia

 

Lavinia knew this was a losing fight… but she had to buy them time, to keep her people alive as best she could.

Remember… the safety precaution

Her hand touched her hidden holster.

Salem levitated into the air, massive draconic wings covered with black feathers, coursing with red lightning, and as she floated into the air, rocks and sand levitated with her, manipulating gravity itself with the raw magical power she possessed. The rocks floated around her, and suddenly she came flying towards Lavinia, launching the debris she carried with her at the Winter Maiden.

Lavinia flew into the air to escape the explosive attack, which decimated the dunes and the crystals, but even in her swift escape, chunks of rock and crystal still slashed across her body. She crashed into the ground and groaned, looking ahead to see Salem jumping towards her with a massive hammer conjured out of thin air, bringing it down towards her. The hammer shattered the rocks and blasted the dunes apart, and as Lavinia rolled aside, Salem spun on the spot, launching swords from her other hand and swiping the heavy hammer around, clipping Lavinia and sending her tumbling across the sand.

Lavinia coughed up the sand that she accidentally swallowed on the way across, turning to see Salem stood upon the dunes, red lightning crackling around her arms. Lavinia’s blue eyes ignited, refusing to back down from the Dark Queen, and she flew into the air, forming a powerful icy tornado, and she launched hundreds of huge icicles towards Salem. Salem blasted a wall of fire towards her, melting the icicles before they could even reach, but Lavinia smirked and redirected the cyclone into a beam of frost.

She fired it from her hands, yelling with fury, and the beam punctured through the flames, hitting Salem directly in the chest. Shards of ice punctured into her body and she crashed across the dunes, driving her hand into the sand to slow herself down. Salem stood tall as Lavinia hovered into the sky, and brought down a massive storm of tornadoes into the desert, all of which were launching shards of ice across the domain of darkness.

Salem walked up the dune whilst the ice tornadoes destroyed the area, launching wreckages of trucks and tanks towards Salem. A tank came flying towards the Queen but she batted it aside like a fly with the back of her hand, shattering it like glass, when she suddenly blasted towards Lavinia, and stretched out one of her arms, claws sharpened, and going straight for her face.

Lavinia dropped beneath her, shooting a beam of ice into her side. Salem spun through the air, flinging lightning back at her. The two battled between two Cryo Tornadoes, throwing different elements back at each other, from fire to lightning to ice. Lavinia pulled back, and she held out her hand, forcing the ice together into a ball, before blasting wind into it, causing it to explode like a shotgun, shooting razor-sharp blades of ice into Salem’s body.

One of them punctured through Salem’s eye and came out the back of her head, yet it hardly even affected her. She ripped the blade out and formed an enormous pair of wings, and then a large sack formed beneath her throat, and she breathed a cloud of fire towards Lavinia.

She grunted, knocked out of the sky, whilst Salem held out her arms and howled to the sky, commanding the elements to serve her, absorbing the surrounding tornadoes, and consuming the power, transforming it into magical energy. She held her hands together as purple light flowed between her fingertips, and then she opened them, throwing hundreds of magical projectiles towards Lavinia.

They exploded whenever they touched anything, and the explosions looked like she was seeing the night sky, creating a cloud of stars that turned everything to ashes. Lavinia formed an enormous bow forged from ice in her hands and fired three explosive magical bolts towards Salem, which exploded against her chest, but Salem flew towards her anyway, forming a spear of darkness and swung directly at her, sliding across the dunes.

Her massive black wings arched behind her back, and as she swung her spear at Lavinia once again, her wings also slashed at the Fully Realised Maiden as well. Lavinia flew back and raised the roots behind her, which lunged towards Salem, but she cut them down with ease, before throwing the spear directly at the Maiden. She gasped and flipped backwards, only narrowly avoiding it, but as she landed, the spear formed a Salem Eye on the ground, detonating in an enormous explosion.

Lavinia screamed in pain, her blue aura flickering once again, sending her down into the red already. She crashed against the floor, and Salem laughed sinisterly. “Your aura supply is running low, Winter Maiden… you’ve not much time left. How much longer do you think you can continue this clash?” Salem asked.

Lavinia turned, seeing her soldiers continuing to fight on her behalf, fending off the Black Gallows relentlessly. She scoffed, shaking her head, staring back at her with eyes raging with blue flames. “As long as I have to. It doesn’t matter if I die… you’ve already lost.” Lavinia promised.

“Tsk, tsk, tsk…” Salem tutted, shaking her head. “How many times do you think I’ve heard those words uttered?”

“Plenty… but this time it will be true.” Lavinia promised.

“Promises, promises…”

Lavinia suddenly jumped into the air, flying high, before sending bolts of blue lightning crashing down towards the ground. The bolts spread the electricity across the ground and towards Salem, but she also jumped into the air, blasting fire from her hand towards Lavinia. But the Winter Maiden formed a shield of ice to deflect the flames away from her. She then formed a spear of ice and launched it towards Salem, impaling her through the sternum.

As Salem fell, Lavinia flew towards her and formed a huge hammer of ice, smashing it into the spike in Salem’s chest, pinning her to the ground. Lavinia held her hands to the sky, and brought a colossal storm of lightning down upon Salem, creating a huge electrical explosion upon contact, blowing the black sand away from them, revealing the crystals and rock beneath the dunes.

Her hair stood on end from the static energy that lingered in the air, and she knew it wasn’t enough to kill her, only hoped it was enough to buy them more time. But as the smoke cleared, Salem emerged, most of her body burnt away, revealing mostly skeletal features. Half of her face was gone and parts of her body were burnt out completely. But the black tar flowed through her body, reconstructed her body bit by bit, forming the flesh and skin.

Within seconds… her body was fully reconstructed, as if that devastating move had never happened. Staring up at the Winter Maiden with a smirk. “Is that all you have to offer?” Salem asked. Lavinia stared down at her with shock. To see her reconstruct herself that fast… after how much power she just had to use?

It was always an unfair fight from the start.

Salem rocketed towards her, punching Lavinia in the face so hard it created a shockwave. Then they both came crashing down into the ground, smashing her head against the floor. Salem threw her into the air and as she came falling back down, she sprouted a huge draconic tail and slammed it into Lavinia’s chest, before grabbing her by the hair and punching her in the stomach with a combination of fire.

Lavinia crashed against one of the crystals, coughing up blood, and watching as her blue aura crumbled away. She stared at Salem and snarled, still able to use some of her powers, launching blades of ice at Salem as she approached, but Salem formed a blade in her hand as she just took the hits. Lavinia roared with rage and formed an axe, burying it into Salem’s neck, only for Salem to grab her by the throat, and drive the sword straight through Lavinia’s chest.

It all went silent, and Lavinia gasped.

She stumbled back, and Salem released her throat, holding her shoulder with the blade still impaled in her. She walked the Winter Maiden back with a soft expression, sitting her on the broken crystal. “You fought well, Lavinia… truly. You have learned how to use your powers incredibly well at such a young age. It’s admirable… but it was all for naught.” Salem stated, sighing, raising her hand towards Lavinia’s face to take the power like she did for the Spring and Summer Maidens.

“Try to stay very still… it will all be over soon.” Salem promised, but Lavinia still had fight… and used the last amount of magic she could muster, and blasted Salem away with a furious roar. Salem crashed against one of the crystals with a grunt, and Lavinia stood tall despite the fatal wound.

And she laughed.

“I know… I could never beat you…” she wheezed weakly, and Salem stared at her with gritted teeth.

Lavinia softly smiled back at her. “… but she will.”

She reached down to her hidden holster behind her coat and drew her personal pistol she always had on her… a precaution… just in case…

And she pressed the barrel against her temple.

Salem’s eyes widened, and she blasted towards Lavinia with fury.

But as Lavinia closed her eyes… she only thought of one thing.

The day Eryka was born.

 

Eryka

 

The last thing she remembered was being in pain and Winter tending to her whilst Weiss was fighting Tyrian, and Weiss was losing…

… but suddenly all she saw was a white plain. Nothing around her at all. She stood there and constantly looked around in confusion. “Winter?” She called out, then she heard a soft laugh amidst the silence.

“I never told you how beautiful you’ve grown up to be, did I?” Lavinia asked, and Eryka furrowed her brow with confusion.

“M-Mom?” Eryka stammered. “What is this?”

Lavinia smiled softly at her and she walked towards her. “I guess I finally met my match… made quite the blunder.” Lavinia chuckled.

“Mom? What are you talking about?” Eryka asked, her voice trembling.

“I’m sorry, my sweet child… but now you must inherit the power I have been protecting for so long.” Lavinia explained, holding out her hand. It took Eryka a few seconds to realise, but when it did, her eyes widened, and tears welled in her eyes.

“No… no… no, not you too. Please, not you too.” Eryka trembled.

Lavinia smiled. “I tried to buy us all some time… keep Salem busy… but she’s too powerful. But you… and everyone else? When the Black Gallows are gone, you can destroy her once and for all. I know you can.” Lavinia assured, holding her hands, but Eryka felt sick to her stomach, and fell to her knees.

First Dulcis…

Then Neptune?

And now Mom?

“No… I can’t… I can’t be given this power mom, I’m not strong enough. I never have been… I never unlocked my semblance. How am I supposed to use this power on my own?” Eryka questioned, which made Lavinia smile.

“Oh, my dear… you’ll never be alone.” Lavinia promised, crouching down. “I will always be with you… just like Dulcis… and just like Neptune. We’re always a part of you.” Lavinia promised, pressing her hand to Eryka’s heart.

“I’m not as strong as you…”

Lavinia chuckled, smiling.

“No… you’re stronger. You always have been.” Lavinia promised with a loving smile. “And despite… all the problems we had? I’ve always been so proud of you.” Lavinia promised, standing Eryka back up. She wiped the tears away from Eryka’s cheeks and held her hands.

She lowered her head as she sniffled.

“So go on… get out there…” Lavinia said, and Eryka looked at her mother. “… and you kick that bastard’s ass into the fucking ground.” Lavinia smirked, making Eryka smile back, nodding her head.

“I will… I promise… he will pay for what he took from us.” Eryka promised. “I love you, mom.”

Lavinia smiled… relieved… to finally hear those words.

And the last thing Eryka ever saw of her mother was her smile and wink.

The white domain faded away, and the first thing she saw after being reborn was a shocked Winter. Tyrian grabbed Weiss and threw her across the floor, her bruised body sliding past Eryka. Eryka sat upright and clenched her hands into fists, hanging her head.

Tyrian cackled manically, staring her down. “And so you’ve finally accepted the truth… that you cannot win! And that you’re going to die… screaming… just like your brother.” Tyrian snarled viciously.

Eryka tightened her fists, and she stood tall.

“No…” Eryka snarled, suddenly levitating into the air, Winter and Weiss’ eyes widening in disbelief.

Even Tyrian was taken aback, stepping back a step with wide eyes. “… the only one screaming here tonight… is gonna be you.” Eryka promised, blue embers forming into Dulcis’ wings, and her eyes opened sharply, glowing blue with plasma flames bursting from them.

“Impossible…” Tyrian gasped, fearful of her now.

Eryka felt the memories of her mother in her body, and the muscle memory remained, and she thrusted her arms forward, blasting a powerful beam of icy magic towards Tyrian, hitting him directly in the chest and smashing him against the wall. She hovered above him with rage in her eyes and slammed down before him as he stumbled back to his feet.

Tyrian roared and sprinted towards her, only for Eryka to swing her fist into the side of his face, channelling magical energy into the fist which blasted him through one of the pillars and shattering what remained of his purple aura. He growled in agony, turning to see Weiss and Winter stood beside her.

Eryka lifted her hand, and suddenly roots burst from the ground and wrapped around his arms and legs, holding him above the floor and anchoring him to the wall, completely helpless.

Tyrian screamed with rage as he tried to break himself free.

Eryka glared at Tyrian, her fists still clenched as she walked towards him. Winter and Weiss looked at each other, realising what must have happened to Lavinia… but they asked no questions yet.

Instead… they focused their attention on the monster who took away those they loved.

Tyrian struggled for a few more moments, but then he just began to laugh, cackling at his predicament, staring down at the trio who stood before him. Weiss looked at the floor, at Myrtenaster, kicking it up off the floor and into her hand.

“You… and you’re friends… believe you have won, don’t you?” Tyrian chuckled, shaking his head at them. “But this? This is only the beginning… the beginning… of the end.” He promised.

Weiss reached into her pocket and grabbed a vial of fire dust, staring at it before looking up at him. He stared down at her and smirked, still filled with madness.

“You… have already lost.”

Weiss scowled back at him, popping the cork and lining the blade with fire dust, forming the glyph behind her.

“No. You have.”

 

Marrow

 

Marrow and Clover stared each other down in the Drive Core of the Shadow of Broken Promises.

They were so close to finishing the Black Gallows off once and for all.

All that stood in their way now was Clover Ebi, and the remaining Obsidian Glaives.

Clover roared and sprinted towards Marrow, and tackled the younger Huntsman to the ground, both without their weapons, having to do this the old-fashioned way. Clover smashed his fist into Marrow’s face relentlessly, but Marrow kicked him away, causing Clover to crash against the railing, allowing Marrow to roll backwards onto his feet. Clover roared and punched at Marrow once again, but he ducked under his fist and punched Clover in the chest three times before kicking him against the railing.

Marrow jumped and swung his fist towards his face, but Clover suddenly caught him by his arm and flipped him over his shoulder, throwing him against the metal floor, and stamping on his chest, before punching down at his face again. Marrow rolled aside, holding his chest and ducking under his kick and throwing a hard punch up Clover’s face. Clover smashed against the railing and snarled, grabbing a wrench and smacking it across Marrow’s face, then throwing it into his back.

Marrow screamed in agony, nearly collapsing from that attack, which Clover swiftly got behind him and grabbed him by his hair, forcing him towards the railing that overlooked the drive core of swirling gravity dust.

Clover grinned maniacally the closer Marrow got to the core.

Back on the bridge, Vine and Fiona continued to clash against the two Obsidian Glaives who ambushed them. Vine swung across the room and launched himself towards the Glaive, who was flying in the air, firing beams of energy from his Sceptre, only narrowly missing. He swung forward and slammed both his feet into the Obsidian Glaive’s chest, causing him to smash his back against the window of the bridge.

Vine landed and grappled onto one of the chairs, flinging it towards the Ex-Huntsman, but he rolled out of the way, slashing the tip of the sceptre across his chest, then flying in the air, bringing the sharp weapon down into the ground where he was standing, shattering the floor. Vine rolled away and launched his shiruken towards the Obsidian Glaive, who deflected it with the Sceptre, and swiftly spun the weapon through his fingers before firing another bolt at him.

But Vine saw an opportunity, spotting the cracked glass, and he stretched out his arms and grappled onto the walls and slingshot himself towards the Glaive, smashing both feet into his chest.

The Glaive roared as the glass shattered, and as he opened his wings, the thruster of the Shadow of Broken Promises sucked him inside, straight into the thruster, screaming before being ripped apart by the engine. The engine belched flames and exploded, sending flames across the wing, causing the entire ship to shake.

Fiona rolled aside as the Obsidian Glaive she battled against continued to slash her extendable sword at her, and she rolled across the floor and spun her Crossbow Staff around her shoulders, aiming it back at the Huntress, firing an arrow at her. She deflected the incoming arrow before rushing towards her and smashing the bladed end of her staff down the top of the Huntress’ head.

The Obsidian Glaive dropped to one knee, then Fiona swung around and slashed the blade across the side of the Glaive’s head, smashing the helmet off her head. She growled, with a shaved head and covered in scars. The Huntress swiftly slashed her sword at Fiona, wrapping it around her arm and retracting the blade, jumping towards the Faunus to roundhouse kick her.

Fiona dropped and let the Huntress pass, and Vine kicked her towards Fiona, who regrettably stabbed her bladed staff straight through the Huntress’ back, killing her swiftly. She pulled the blade from her back and hung her head, closing her eyes. “I’m sorry…” she shakily stammered, but Vine touched her shoulder.

“There was no other way.” He reassured.

Fiona nodded, then looked around with concern. “Wait… Marrow! We need to find him!”

Marrow continued to struggle against Clover, who was pushing his head closer and closer towards the spiralling core of metal and gravity dust. Immense pieces of metal shielding swung closer and closer to his head, and Clover’s grin grew larger and larger the closer the Huntsman’s head got.

But Marrow gritted his teeth in anger and reached to his collar and pulled him down at the perfect moment, causing a chunk of metal to smash against the top of his head, shattering his blue aura instantly. Clover staggered back, groaning as his skull was cracked open, blood rushing down the side of his head.

Marrow wasted no time, grabbing Clover by the throat and staring directly into his eyes with hate.

“Send Killian my regards!” He yelled, turning and throwing Clover directly into the Drive Core. Clover let out one last howl before being instantly silenced. His body broke apart and his blood mixed in with the gravity dust, causing the drive core to become unstable, ripping itself apart. Marrow nearly collapsed, but Fiona grabbed onto him, pulling him away from the core.

“By the gods… you okay?” She gasped.

“I got him… that twisted bastard… I got him…” He stammered.

“Yeah… you did.” Fiona said with a smile, giving him a warm hug.

Vine looked around, and he patted Marrow on the shoulder. “We haven’t got much time. We need to upload the virus.” Vine reminded.

“Yeah… c’mon… time to finish this.” Marrow stumbled back to his feet and the three of them sprinted back into the ruined bridge, and approached the central control system. He pulled the chip out and stared at it for a few seconds.

By doing this…

… we rid the world of its military…

… and kill a lot of people…

… but the Black Gallows needs to die.

It was a hard choice, but he swallowed his inner regret, and plugged in the chip, and he saw a message pop up.

INITIATE PROGRAMME – THE HANGING?

“Heh… Pietro really wanted to be symbolic, huh?” Marrow chuckled, then he moved the cursor over ok.

The second he hit the button, the virus instantly infected the entire Black Gallows system, showing the Black Queen symbol on every single screen. All the weapons started sparking, the armour and all technology linked to the network destroyed itself. Just as Pietro designed it to. They looked outside and saw Wasps and other Airships come crashing down.

The lights in the Shadow of Broken Promises flickered, and they knew they needed to rush back to the Bullhead.

They sprinted as fast as they could through the ship, hearing the soldiers screaming, ones who had cybernetics in their head were suffering agonizing deaths as their brains burned from the inside out, whilst others could no longer walk or their armour simply stopped working for them.

Ebony Sabre Exo Suits deactivated, ejecting the soldiers and leaving them helpless. But they had to keep moving. The Black Gallows were monsters, and they had to fall.

They rushed to the hangar and saw the Bullhead directly ahead of them. Marrow and Fiona sprinted towards it, but Marrow felt that Vine wasn’t close behind. He stopped and turned to see Vine stood still.

“Vine! C’mon!” He yelled, but Vine remained still.

“I’m sorry, Marrow… but I cannot.” Vine answered, raising his head and opening his eyes, which now had the Black Queen virus glowing in his optics.

His eyes widened.

“I am a Black Gallows creation, remember? So I too must be destroyed with the rest of them.” Vine stated.

“No… no, we can cut you off from the network! We can find a way!” Marrow stammered, desperately trying to save the only friend he had in the Black Gallows.

“There’s no time! My mission was to ensure that Remnant survives… only by ensuring that there is nothing left of the Black Gallows and their technology can we be sure that the threat can be erased forever.” Vine explained. “And besides… this was my choice. And as a creation of the Black Gallows… allow me to complete my mission… to the end.” Vine requested, holding his hands behind his back.

Fiona reached to Marrow, grabbing his hand as the Shadow of Broken Promises started to lose its altitude. “Marrow! We have to hurry!” Fiona yelled.

“VINE!” He screamed.

“Get out of here, Marrow! Save yourself! Build something better! Live… a good life.” Vine begged, smiling at him. The doors on the Bullhead closed and Marrow watched as Fiona flew them out of there.

Vine stood tall as explosions erupted behind him, as the many Airships in the hanger crashed and their fuel cells detonated behind him, and the flames from the drive core detonating flooded in behind him. He closed his eyes and held his head high, ready for the end.

Marrow screamed with anguish from the Bullhead, as the centre of the Shadow of Broken Promises ruptured in an enormous ball of fire, breaking the Dreadnaught in half, and sending the front half crashing towards Evernight.

The time of the Black Gallows… had finally ended.

 

The Hanging

 

In Evernight, Nora stood her ground, staring Hazel down with Stormur Skeggox in her grasp, glaring at him and protecting Oscar with her life. Hazel roared with unending rage, all his elements of dust lodged in his body activating at once.

The Shadow of Broken Promises came closer and closer to crashing into the side of Evernight, where below Adam, Yang and Blake were battling.

Tyrian, bound by the roots, stared at Weiss as she thrusted Myrtenaster forward, and shot four projectiles of fire towards him, all four fireballs swirling around one another as they drew closer and closer towards him. Tyrian’s smirk faded away, and his madness was replaced with absolute fear.

Nora sprinted towards Hazel, who was jumping towards her with his fist pulled back, charging up with lightning dust, only for Nora to roar and slice her axe straight through his arm, charged up with her pink lightning. Hazel howled in agony, staggering past her and blood splashing across the side of her arm.

Tyrian’s howls of agony and terror echoed as the fireballs impacted in the centre of his chest, spreading flames all across his body.

Down in the dunes, Salem stared at the lifeless body of Lavinia Vasillias, the gun still in her hand and blood leaking from her head. She closed her hand into a fist with anger, but then she stared at the sky as the Shadow of Broken Promises slowly came crashing down, and all around her, Wasps and the other Dreadnaughts came crashing down, and she gritted her teeth in anger, knowing the Black Gallows were finished.

Joanna and May aimed their weapons at Harriet and Elm, who felt their armour deactivate and weapons power down, and all the soldiers were left completely defenceless. Leaving them all no choice but to surrender.

Watts’ finger pressed against the trigger of his revolver, still pushed against Ruby’s head, both her and Penny restrained by Grave Dust, but suddenly the dust dropped lifelessly to the floor. Ruby and Penny dropped to their knees and stared at Watts, who turned to see the burning wreckage of the Shadow of Broken Promises come crashing towards Evernight.

“No…” He gasped.

Ruby seized her opportunity, and she grabbed Black Thorn, and just as Watts turned to shoot, she slashed straight through his wrist. He roared in agony, blood bursting from the stump and his only weapon falling to the floor. She transformed her scythes into their Volcanic Pistol forms, staring Watts down with hate in her silver eyes.

Tyrian shrieked in immense agony as the roots burned away and he fell to the floor, desperately trying to bat away the flames, but nothing he did would save him from his greatest fear.

Suddenly the Shadow of Broken Promises crashed into Evernight, completely collapsing half of the structure, and Tyrian screamed as that part of the amphitheatre shattered, and he plummeted into the smoke and burning metal. Eryka grabbed Winter and Weiss and she flew up into the air, escaping the castle as it came crashing down around them.

Li and Ren held on for dear life and Icarus dug his Khopesh into the ground to steady himself on the weakening tower as the burning Dreadnaught crashed into the ground beneath them, creating an enormous inferno beneath them.

Beneath the castle, Adam, Blake and Yang fled, and jumped away as the castle came crashing down above them, falling with the rubble, disappearing into the dust.

Watts grabbed onto his arm, staring at Ruby as she aimed her Volcanic Pistols at him, and fired, shooting a bullet straight through his chest. But she did not stop there, firing again and again, hitting him in the shoulder and many times in his chest, whilst Penny started rotating, Floating Array behind her, charging up the green laser. Every single bullet fired pushed Watts closer to the edge of the cliff.

As Evernight collapsed around her, Nora continued to battle against Hazel, ducking under his electrified metal prosthetic leg as he swung at her, still protecting Oscar with her life. Hazel roared like a savage monster, his humanity gone, and leaving only a beast to be put down for his own sake. He swung towards Nora, and she blasted the thrusters on the back of her axe, and yelled with fury, cutting straight through Hazel’s neck, decapitating the monster Ozpin created.

His body collapsed to the ground, and his head crashed against the floor. His suffering finally ended.

Ruby kept her guns aimed at Watts, but stepped aside, as Penny aimed Floating Array at him, and she fired, burning a hole straight through Watts’ chest, and the beam erupted out his spine. Watts’ body was thrown over the edge by the impact, and he plummeted down the cliff, cracking his skull against a rock, flipping backwards and snapping his spine as he landed on a sharp rock beneath.

Penny lowered Floating Array with anger in her eyes… and relief.

She was finally free.

Dutch watched from the Dreadnaughts, watching as the Black Gallows came crashing down, and he closed his eyes.

It’s over…

… the Black Gallows… Killian’s legacy…

… it’s finally over.

Chapter 53: Bloodlust's End

Chapter Text

Joanna

 

She stared at the sky; it was like the clouds were set on fire.

Black Gallows Dreadnaughts fell alongside the Shadow of Broken Promises, and now there was a constant spreading inferno, consuming the castle that Salem ruled over for so long. The burning wreckage of the Shadow of Broken Promises was protruding from the side of the castle, slowly crumbling more and more as the flames ate away at the armour plating. It was a hellish sight, and in truth, it didn’t fill her with satisfaction.

A lot of people just died… they may have been their enemies, but they were still people and all of them died within a blink of an eye. But now all that remained were the Grimm and the Feral Ones, although they were already being pushed back, both here and all over the world, now that the White Fang were rebuilding and fighting back. It really felt like they were making a difference…

… Joanna just wished that… like Robyn… all this bloodshed could have been avoided.

“Joanna!” May called out, getting her attention.

“May?”

“Look!” May pointed up at the sky where the Shadow of Broken Promises exploded and came crashing down into the side of Evernight. Through the smoke and the glow of the skyscraper sized flames that were consuming Evernight… they saw something. She could see the Bullhead that had Marrow and Fiona on it arriving, landing at where the battlefield had ended.

“Fi…” Joanna gasped. Joanna jogged towards the landing Bullhead with May as it unfolded its landing gear, and the side door slid open. Inside of it were only Marrow and Fiona, and they quickly realised that Vine was not with them, and Marrow was still in anguish, tears streaming from his eyes.

Fiona jumped out and was embraced immediately by Joanna. “Thank the gods you’re okay…” Joanna sighed, and May also gave her a warm hug, too. But as Joanna looked at Marrow, she walked towards him, crouching by his side. “Marrow? Where’s Vine?” She asked.

He looked at her and shook his head, eyes still pouring with tears. “… he was still a Black Gallows creation… the Black Queen infected him too.” Fiona said, bowing her head with grief, sharing Marrow’s sadness. Joanna sighed, shaking his head.

“He knew… he knew the whole time…” Joanna said. “He wanted to make sure the virus did its job… and remained connected to the Black Gallows network.”

“Brave son of a bitch…” May said, resting her staff against the side of the bullhead.

“He was… the only friend I had…” Marrow stammered, his fists still clenched.

Fiona walked over to him and she sat down in front of him, and she took his hands and gently held them in hers. “And he died making sure you could survive. You’re not alone anymore… you never will be again.” She promised with a kind smile, before wrapping her arms around him in a warm hug.

Joanna stood tall and walked out of the Bullhead, seeing the Vasillias Cartel soldiers sorting out the remnants of the Black Gallows.

The Black Gallows soldiers were all surrendering, dropping to their knees and holding their hands behind their heads. With no technology, they were helpless against them. She walked past the defeated soldiers. They all looked so lost and confused now. She approached the last remaining members of the Ace Ops: Harriet and Elm.

They too were on their knees, their trusty weapons and armour being useless without the Black Gallows network keeping them locked to their D.N.A. Joanna pressed her hands against her knees and leant forward, staring at Harriet, who was glaring back at her. “Was it all worth it? Betraying everyone for this?” She asked him. Elm hung her head, but Harriet gritted her teeth with hate in her eyes, before spitting in Joanna’s face.

Joanna recoiled slightly, then wiped the saliva from her face. “You’re gonna have plenty of time to think about what you’ve done. I promise you that.” Joanna said, walking past her and Elm.

She walked up one of the dunes, staring at the rest of the battlefield to see the Grimm still attacking. “Dutch. We need our forces to join the White Fang and our other forces. We need to turn this fight around.”

“My thoughts exactly.” He replied from the lead Dreadnaught. “All Vasillias Cartel forces not tasked with escorting the Black Gallows P.O.Ws, arm up and help the rest of our allies against the Grimm. We’re close to ending this. We just need to buy our friends more time to bring Salem down.”

Marrow picked up his rifle, filled with more than enough determination to fight right now, and Fiona walked with him alongside May. They joined Joanna, and the army of the Vasillias Cartel roared across the dunes, Dreadnaughts and Gunships roaring overhead to thin the horde of Grimm.

They were so close.

They just needed to get the Relic of Destruction and take Salem down.

 

Eryka

 

They only narrowly escaped the collapsing ceiling of the amphitheatre that they were inside of, thanks to Eryka grabbing onto them and flying them out through the collapsing ceiling. As Eryka flew into the air and over the castle, they saw the devastation of the Shadow of Broken Promises making its impact against the castle. Half of the keep had been completely engulfed in flames and destroyed. She flew them through the smoke and descended near the flames, landing firmly. Eryka, however was no expert Maiden yet, though, and she couldn’t stick the landing, tumbling across the black sand. She grunted as she rolled, Weiss and Winter doing the same.

The three of them panted with relief now that they were out of there, but the smoke was choking to breathe. “Gods… that was so close…” Weiss panted, coughing through the smoke.

“Are you okay?” Winter trembled, crawling over to Weiss’ side.

“I’m okay… what about… wait… Eryka?” Weiss stammered. Winter turned as well and saw the footprints heading towards the flames.

“Eryka!” she called out.

Eryka walked away from them the second they landed, with Slice ‘N Dice drawn, she was walking around the growing flames, and she kept looking up through the smoke with hate in her eyes, panting and covering her mouth and nose with her hand from the thick plumes of smoke. But she kept going, her shortsword tightly grasped in her other hand, then she found it… staring up at the keep, she could still see the wall in which Tyrian was thrown through when the Dreadnaught crashed into the castle.

“Where are you? You son of a bitch…” Eryka snarled, looking around for him, trying to either find his burnt body… or worse… if he somehow survived, so that she could finish the job. She kept getting closer to the flames, and she activated her Maiden Powers, holding out her hand, but nothing happened. “C’mon… you did it a second ago…” But this time, fire just kept bursting from her hand, just spreading more flames. “Come on… ice… you’re the fucking Winter Maiden!” She yelled at herself, then she finally closed her eyes, thinking of the Schnee Snowflake Symbol, and that actually helped her.

She pictured Winter’s face, and that alone helped her think of something other than all the surrounding flames, and frost started forming on her fingers. It was a bizarre sensation, just manifesting elements like this and not even feeling it… but she ignored the spectacle of her powers and kept blasting the icy winds into the flames to extinguish a path through.

“Eryka!” she heard Winter calling out.

Weiss and Winter sprinted behind her and grabbed onto her, pulling her away from the fire. “What the hell are you doing?” Winter yelled in shock.

“I need to be sure! I need to make sure that bastard is dead!” Eryka argued, pulling herself free from Winter.

“The man was on fire and fell all the way up there into an exploding warship! There’s no way he could have survived that, especially with his aura broken!” Weiss argued.

“He killed Neptune! I need to know that his killer is in the fucking ground!” Eryka yelled, trying to walk further into the flames, but the Schnees continued to pull her away, and finally Winter yanked her back and pulled her into a loving hug. Winter pushed her hand through Eryka’s blue hair as they stood by the flames.

“I’m sorry, Eryka… I can’t imagine what you’re going through right now… but what you want? It’s not going to help you… you’re just going to get yourself killed… I… I can’t lose you, Eryka…” Winter sounded like she was going to cry, a rare sound that Eryka was never used to.

Suddenly the sound of metal creaking grew louder and louder, and the flames were raging hotter and hotter. “This place is getting unstable! We need to go!” Weiss yelled.

Eryka stared at Winter, then looked back at the flames. She still wanted to find him and stab him in the heart a thousand times… but she knew she would die. She closed her teary eyes, then clenched her hands into fists. “Fuck… FUCK!” Eryka yelled with anguish, running with Winter and Weiss out of the way of the collapsing rubble from the Shadow of Broken Promises.

Massive chunks of armoured hull, set ablaze by the fire, came crashing down, and not only that, but the very room they were just in collapsed as well. An avalanche of concrete, bricks and rubble came toppling down into the flames. They jumped away just in time to stay ahead of it.

Eryka stared at the flames, her hands digging into the flame baked black sand. The fire reflected off her eyes, but she sighed, shaking her head.

“Okay… let’s go…” She sighed. Winter helped her back up, and they ran away from Evernight to return to the battle.

 

Ruby

 

Ruby fell to one knee, panting as she looked at the edge where Watts’ fell to his death. She let Black Thorn fall from her fingers, but then she turned after hearing the trembling of Penny. She saw her standing there; she looked so small, letting her Grave Dust Swords drop to the floor.

Thanks to the fact she was not connected to the Black Gallows network, her Grave Dust was thankfully still working just fine. But Ruby could see the internal conflict on her face… she was the one who dealt the killing blow. Penny shuffled towards the edge of the cliff, and Ruby stood up, walking over to her. “Penny?” She whispered to her, then they both looked over the edge and saw him below.

Watts.

He was dead, his lifeless eyes staring up at the sky with a still smoking hole in his chest. “It’s over… Penny? It’s over… he can’t hurt you anymore.” Ruby promised, and Penny sobbed. Despite lacking the tears to do so, she cried and fell to her knees. Ruby dropped with her and wrapped her arms around her beloved, pressing her head close to Penny’s, being there for her.

“I… I…”

“You did what you had to. You don’t have to feel bad for what you did… he was never going to stop, you heard him.” Ruby explained, turning Penny to face her, caressing her cheek. “It’s okay…” she promised, pressing her forehead against Penny’s.

Penny sniffled, closing her eyes as she hiccuped her breaths to speak. “I… I didn’t want to… I had to…”

“Yeah… you did. And I’m proud of you. Think of how many lives you’ve saved by stopping him… he would have been just like Salem if he had survived and done what he planned to do.”

Penny looked at Ruby, panting desperately. Ruby smiled affectionately, still caressing her cheek, then she pulled Penny close, and they shared a long and passionate kiss with each other. Penny trembled when they finished their kiss, pressing her head against Ruby’s. “I’m… I’m free…”

That choked Ruby up.

“Yeah… you are… you’re finally free.” Ruby promised, and Penny kissed her again and again, a bright smile forming on her face. Her mind started racing, imagining all the things they could do once this was over.

Exploring!

Swimming in the sea!

So many things!

Suddenly a shockwave erupted next to them, the blast nearly knocked them over, and Penny immediately snapped back to reality, levitating Floating Array in front of herself and Ruby.

“Oh… Arthur…” Salem’s voice chillingly spoke, the black dust drifting away to reveal the Dark Queen stood at the edge of the cliff next to them. Ruby’s eyes widened, and she stared down at the Relic of Knowledge still dangling from her hip. “Tsk, tsk, tsk… I always knew your ambitions would one day spell the end for you.” Salem said with a sigh.

Salem glanced at Ruby and Penny, her eyes glowing red. “I see you beat me to it… I must say you were more merciful than what I would have done to the man.” She stated, her arms held behind her back as she looked down at Watts’ corpse once again.

Ruby glanced across the sand and rock to where she left Black Thorn to join Penny’s side. They weren’t far, but with Salem right there, she would have to be incredibly fast to reach them in time. “He got what he deserved.” Ruby said.

“Hmm…” Salem softly hummed, her eyes leaving them and Watts, then gazing out towards the view of Evernight. In fact, now was the first time Ruby and Penny could focus on what had just happened. Both of their eyes widened. Seeing the destroyed, burning wreckage of the Shadow of Broken Promises crashed into her castle, setting the entire structure ablaze. “… what a waste.” She sighed, shaking her head, her white hair loosely hanging down her back. “The legacy of Nathaniel Killian literally crashing down in flames.”

“You’ve lost, Salem…” Ruby stated.

Salem laughed, chillingly confident. “Have I?” she asked, turning her gaze back to Ruby. She got up and so did Penny, keeping her swords pointed at her. “The Black Gallows served their purpose… and they fought admirably. But now… all I need to succeed is hanging from your hip.” Salem stated calmly.

Ruby shot towards Black Thorn and reached out, and Penny launched her swords at Salem, only for Salem to hold her hand forward at Penny, her telekinesis stopping the Grave Dust Swords in their tracks, and then she caught Ruby out of the air before she could even reach her weapons, extending her hand and catching her by the throat. Ruby gasped for air as she tried to breathe, and Salem lifted her off the ground, and slowly rotated Penny’s Grave Dust swords towards her, and shot them into her chest.

Penny yelped in pain, thrown off the edge of the cliff, leaving Salem with Ruby. “Of all the Huntresses who have been a thorn in my side, you have been the one who has stung me the most.” Salem growled, squeezing Ruby’s throat tighter and tighter. She reached towards the Lamp that dangled from her hip. “… but even the brightest lights flicker and die.”

Ruby gritted her teeth and scowled at her. “You… sure about… that?”

Salem stared at her, then Ruby smirked, her eyes glowing bright silver. Ruby roared with fury and Salem gasped, hit directly by Ruby’s Silver Eyes, encasing her body in stone. Salem roared with immense pain as the stone melted onto her skin, trapping her in the same pose, then Penny flew back up the side of the cliff, and smashed the arm that held Ruby, now in stone. Ruby dropped, and she grabbed onto the stone, hand still choking her, but Penny grabbed it and squeezed the wrist as hard as she could, shattering the rock into powder.

The hand broke apart, and Ruby could finally breathe again, gasping for air. “It won’t hold her for long! We need to –”

Before Ruby could even finish, Salem’s arm suddenly erupted through her own shoulder, and she grabbed onto her own head and tore the stone apart, shattering it in a cloud of smoke. Through the dust, they watched as Salem clambered out of her statue like a butterfly emerging from its cocoon, stepping on the black sand, her loose white hair blowing in  the wind and smoke still trailing from her body, clothes torn from the constant fighting.

But Salem stared them down, still able to fight.

And will always be ready to fight.

Ruby and Penny, whilst still low on aura, stood their ground against Salem.

Because if she takes the Relic and reunites it with the other three…

… the Gods will Return…

 

Nora

 

Blood soaked the blade of Stormur Skeggox, and she panted as she lowered the axe to the floor, staring at Hazel’s beheaded corpse on the ground, and his head a few feet away. She closed her eyes and stifled her breath, pushing her hand through her hair as she stammered, shaking her head.

“Damn it…” she sighed, wishing deep down that there could have been another way.

The sound of Oscar groaning as he regained consciousness helped her focus on something other than her killing Hazel. She ran to his side and slid across the floor, helping him up. “You okay?” She asked.

“Damn it… I’m sorry the bastard knocked me out… what happened?” He paused when he saw the body of Hazel Rainart on the ground. “You got him… good job.” He said he sounded much less broken up about it than Nora was, but the fact that he was essentially raised by bandits after his Aunt and Uncle were butchered by Jackdaw? It explained a lot. He had been used to seeing death in his life.

Fire rushed through the building, and they saw the roof cracking, and even parts of it were coming down. Huge chunks of burning debris plummeted onto the floor with heavy crashes. “We need to get the hell out of here. This place is not gonna last much longer.” Oscar said as he ran towards the door, but he looked back and saw Nora staring up at the tower.

“Ren…” Nora stammered. “I’m not leaving my husband.” She said, spinning her axe through her fingers.

“Nora!” Oscar called out, but then he paused, looking at her. “Be careful.”

“Always.” She assured, sprinting towards the spiralling staircase that headed up towards the tower that Icarus carried him and his father towards.

 

Ren

 

Atop the tower…

The entire structure they were on was shaking. They could feel it swaying back and forth as it weakened from the heat and the impact itself of the Shadow of Broken Promises. And down below was nothing but flames, and many of them were burning so high that they could see the tips of them all the way from up here. Icarus growled as he tried to get back up, his wings severely damaged from their fight, and all of their aura broken as well. Sparks leaked from his thrusters, alongside flames from the fuel cells.

He could no longer fly, that much was certain, but he was still a threat. Ren tried to get back up, but the ground was barely holding together, and Icarus snarled as he rushed towards Ren. He grabbed the young man by the throat and smashed him against one of the pieces of rubble, so hard that he yelled in agony, nearly winded. He stamped down on Ren’s leg and swung his Khopesh towards his throat with a horrific metallic scream.

Li roared and jumped towards Icarus, smashing his cane across the side of Icarus’ face, causing him to stagger away from Ren. Then he rolled backwards and shot three arrows at him. Icarus swiftly slashed at them with Undying Hatred, cutting them down before they could even reach him. Li sprinted at him and he jumped, smashing his knee into Icarus’ face, but Icarus caught him by his hair and punched him in the stomach before slashing across his stomach.

With no aura to protect him, Li roared in agony as blood poured from his stomach. He dropped to one knee and Icarus spun around to slash through his jugular, but Ren fired Stormflower at him. Most of the bullets still hit the malfunctioning wings, but he still landed a few hits on his body. Icarus barked as he felt the skin be torn open by bullets, and his red blood running down his body. He growled and stared at Ren, throwing his Khopesh at him, stabbing into his shoulder and pinning him to the wall.

He yelled in great pain, grabbing onto the Khopesh lodged in his shoulder, blood pouring down that arm. Icarus growled as he walked towards him, but Li picked up his Bow and spun around, smashing it into Icarus’ face so hard that his Old Bow shattered, but his mechanical jaw burst as well. Icarus hollered in pain as the last of his protein cannisters cracked and started hissing, pumping all that pain back into his system. He roared from the pain, grabbing at his metal jaw that was sparking and dangling from the hinge.

Li pressed his hand against his sliced open stomach, feeling the fatal wound and the blood oozing constantly. He then turned to his son, able to see his soul staring back at him. “I love you… my son…” Li said with a kind smile. “You look after Nora… and my grandchild… let them know their grandfather will always be looking down on them… their Guardian Angel. Just as I always will… for you… my son…” Li said with a smile.

“Dad… dad no…” Ren begged, trying to pull the Khopesh from his shoulder.

Li stared at Icarus, who had stumbled towards the edge, his back to the crumbling wall of the tower. Li gritted his teeth in rage, channelling the fury of a Father and a Widower, at the man who took his home from him that night… at the sins of his creation… and he let out one last defiant berserk roar.

“DAD!” Ren screamed.

Li bolted up from where he fell, and sprinted towards Icarus, who stared at his old enemy with wide red eyes, as Li tackled him through the wall. Icarus’ wings shattered upon contact, the metal feathers breaking apart, sending the two plummeting off the edge of the tower towards the flames. Li held onto Icarus, as the two plummeted from the sun… and into the fire… together…

They both vanished into the flames, leaving Ren screaming out for his father… who he had lost once again…

… for good this time.

Ren sobbed, finally ripping the Khopesh from his shoulder and letting it clatter off the edge into the fire as well. He stared at the smoke, feeling the building crumbling more and more beneath him.

“Ren!” her faint voice called out.

Suddenly Nora was in front of him, shaking him by the shoulders. “REN!” His eyes widened when he saw her, but the tears were still there on his ash covered face. She looked at him, then looked back, just seeing the shattered bow and his cane on the ground. “W-Where is…”

He trembled and sobbed, burying his head in her shoulder. She began to tear up as well, but she felt the tower weakening more and more. “Renny… we have to go. We can’t stay here.” Nora said to him, helping him back up, but as she walked towards the stairs that she ran up, suddenly they collapsed, and the entire tower finally gave way.

They both screamed, falling as the entire tower collapsed, breaking apart in the air as they fell. They held on to each other, awaiting the same fate as Li…

… until suddenly, a ball of green energy formed around them and halted their descent. They both looked around and turned to see Oscar with the Long Memory pointed at them, his eyes glowing gold with the help of Ozpin. He pulled them to safety outside the tower and they landed on the desert ground.

Nora gasped and sprinted to Oscar, hugging him tight, so tight he nearly couldn’t breathe. “Thank the gods for you!” She yelled, and he chuckled.

“I kept my eye on the tower… good thing I did… and that Ozpin gave me a hand.” Oscar admitted, but then they both turned to the heartbroken Ren.

Ren held his hand against his shoulder, staring at the flames, crying out in anguish for the loss of his father.

“He’s gone… he’s really gone…”

Smoke and embers rose high above Evernight, just like that night in Kuroyuri…

… but now… Li knew that his son definitely got away.

And that was all he needed to know, to give his life to stop Icarus… once and for all.

 

Yang

 

Trapped under the rubble, Yang gasped for air, pushing against the rocks and brick that fell from above. When the Shadow of Broken Promises hit Evernight, she, Blake and Adam all were buried beneath it all. She forced her hands against the rocks, and pushed the heaviest off her chest, finally able to gulp an enormous volume of air, despite it being laced with smoke. She coughed and pushed the rest of the rubble from her dust smothered body, stumbling back on her feet.

“Blake!” Yang called out, her voice weak and raspy as she looked around, barely even able to move her cybernetic arm now. The thing was damaged beyond repair, sparks leaking from it constantly. She grabbed onto the shoulder and clicked a button, completely disconnecting it. “You’re just slowing me down…” Yang stammered, coughing again. Smoke filled the air, making it harder and harder to figure out where they were. “Blake?” She called out.

“Yang!” Blake’s voice gave Yang so much relief.

“Where are you?” Yang yelled.

“I can’t tell! My… my leg’s hurt, I’m trapped!” She yelled.

“Alright, I’m coming!” Yang assured as she looked around, waving the dust out of her face to find a way to Blake. The smoke was slowly lifting though, and above she could see the golden glow of the burning castle. “Shit… haven’t got much time, need to get her out.”

“Where’s Adam?” Blake called.

“I don’t know! Hopefully, he got killed in the collapse!” She yelled, but Blake didn’t respond for that. Yang sighed as she kept searching through the rubble.

“Yang!” Blake yelled. “I can see you!”

“Where?”

“Here!” Yang looked around and finally saw her arm poking out from the rubble, waving around.

“There you are!” Yang ran to Blake and, with her only hand, she pulled the rocks and rubble off her. Blake pushed as hard as she could, crying out in pain as she tried to pull her leg from the rubble. Yang grabbed Blake’s hand and pulled her through so she could breathe better, freeing her crushed chest. “Okay, I’m gonna carefully get this off ya.” Yang assured, pushing the rocks and rubble off one at a time.

Suddenly Yang was kicked in the face and crashed onto the floor, as Adam landed on top of the rocks where Blake was trapped. Yang stared at him and Blake gasped in fear, knowing it was him. Adam too was covered in dirt, and he had a bad limp too, and had blood running down the side of his head. But he wiped the blood from his mouth, and he grinned sadistically.

“Not dead yet, Yang.” Adam chuckled, growling at her like a feral beast.

Yang scowled back at him. With only one arm, she knew she was at a tremendous disadvantage… but now they were equally weakened. But she never backed down from a fight, especially when the love of her life was at risk, raising her fist. “Yang! Just go!” Blake begged.

“Not happening… he and I have a score to settle.” Yang snarled.

“That we do, Yang.” Adam agreed, sprinting down the rocks, his boot only narrowly missing Blake’s head, and he punched Yang in the face so hard that it threw her into the pile of rock and rubble behind her. She raised her arm and deflected his sword, which he somehow still had in his hand. Sparks flew, but he pinned her by the throat with his sword against the wall, pushing her against it.

“Yang!” Blake screamed desperately as she tried to rip her wounded leg free. Adam smashed his head into Yang’s face, dazing her for a few moments, but then he smashed his knee into her stomach and forcefully slammed his blade against her throat, cutting the skin. She grabbed onto his arm to get free, but he was too strong and had the advantage with both arms.

He stared directly into her eyes, but she still punched him in the face, only for him to force her against the wall again. He leaned closer, teeth gritted into a mad grin. “You don’t deserve her love… so before I take her… I’ll let her watch you DIE!” He roared, pulling the sword away and driving it towards her heart, but she raised her arm and pushed the sword towards her shoulder, getting stabbed straight through.

“YANG!” Blake screamed.

Yang gritted her teeth in agony as blood oozed from her arm, the serrated edge cutting against her forearm as she forced it into that placement. Adam snarled viciously, pulling the sword down from her shoulder and cutting through, slowly reaching her heart. Yang stared past him and saw Blake staring back at her, and that was all she needed.

Her eyes went from lilac to blood red and her hair erupted into golden flames, and she grabbed onto his hand, gripping him by the hand so tight she was crushing his fingers. He roared in agony as she pulled his hand away from the sword that was still stabbed into her shoulder. The two glared into each other’s eyes, and they yelled with rage at each other. Then Yang smashed her head into his face, causing him to recoil away after being locked in position.

As he staggered away, she grabbed the sword in her shoulder and tore it out, roaring in agony as blood burst from the wound, and as Adam lunged at her, she slashed across his face and threw the sword aside, sending it clattering across the rocks. Adam glared at her, now with a deep slash across the side of his face, over the same eye branded by the Schnee Dust Company, leaking with claret.

Adam sprinted towards Yang, but she punched him in the face so hard that it created a shockwave and threw him into the air. He crashed against the rubble and tumbled down and landed beside his sword. Her eyes widened, and he smirked, swiftly sheathing the sword and unleashing what little power was left in it, and it hit Yang directly.

It cut across her body, burning her clothes and throwing her against the wall.

“NO! YANG!” Blake shrieked, not seeing her moving on the ground and with blood pooling around her. Yang wheezed, grabbing onto her throat as she bled out. Adam chuckled sinisterly as he walked towards Blake.

“I promised you… didn’t I? I promised you I would take away everything you love… and I always keep my promises, my love.” Adam said as he approached her.

“You’re a monster…” Blake snarled with hate at him.

Yang slowly lifted her head, choking on her blood, and through the darkening vision she saw Adam approaching Blake.

He stood before her, staring at her. “I was hurt long before we met… by all sorts of people in all sorts of ways… but none hurt me quite like you. You didn’t leave scars… you just abandoned me… betrayed me. And that? That… is something I cannot let stand.” Adam snarled, taking his sword in both hands and swinging it above his head. “So… my love? Any last words?” He asked, about to bring it down.

Fire…

… that was all she saw.

Suddenly the rocks behind Adam exploded and melted into magma, and Yang stood tall, her fatal wound cauterised, and eyes leaking with flames and lava. Her golden flaming hair flushed with plasma blue, as nothing but unbridled fury took her over.

Just like before…

… when she snapped against Blake and Weiss for letting Raven and Qrow escape in the Atlesian Wildlands.

Adam hadn’t even noticed the explosion, but Blake gasped when she saw the eruption of fury behind him. Yang sprinted towards him and jumped above him with an inhuman roar, which finally got his attention. He slowly turned, and she smashed her fist into his face. She grabbed him by the horn and dragged him away from Blake. “Look away.” Yang growled at Blake, throwing Adam ahead of her.

Adam immediately thrusted his sword at her with a furious yell. “WHY. WON’T. YOU. DIE?” He screamed, but she stamped on the blade and punched him up the jaw, and picked up the sword, tossing it aside like it was nothing. He got up and drew his sheath, firing it at her, but she ducked and punched him in the arm so hard it broke his hand. He roared in pain, then she grabbed him by the horn again, and kicked him in the chest, dropping him to one knee.

As he lifted his head, Yang smashed her fist into his face relentlessly, punch after punch, breaking his nose and splitting the skin. He swung at her but she grabbed him by that same horn again, but this time she stamped down on his back and he shrieked in agony as she ripped the horn from his head, blood pouring out, and stabbing it into his shoulder. He fell to the floor, but she was filled with unending hate, beating him over and over, splattering his blood across the floor, smashing his head into the rocks.

He reached up at her, but she never stopped, blood coating her knuckles and splattering against her face.

Blake reached out in fear, but felt the rubble be lifted off her, and she turned with relief as Ghira was there, staring at Yang with shock. Kali helped her daughter up as Yang continued to beat the bloody mess that was Adam.

“S-Sto-p.” Adam desperately begged, spluttering blood, but Yang didn’t stop.

The magma burned against his face from her eyes, and she grabbed him by the throat and choked him with one hand, screaming with hate, so much that her voice sounded demonic. He desperately grabbed onto her arm to get free, but nothing he did stopped her. She gritted her teeth and roared again at him.

“STOP!” Blake screamed, which made yang sharply turn, eyes blood red with magma tears burning her cheeks. “Please…”

“Stop? After everything he’s done to you? YOU WANT ME TO STOP?” Yang yelled, still running on the fury in her chest.

“You’re better than this… you’re better than him. Please… just stop, Yang…” Blake begged. Yang looked around and saw the White Fang were here, able to take a moment to bring in Adam whilst the Vasillias Cartel and the rest of their forces battled against the Grimm. Yang stared back at Adam with gritted teeth, and then she saw the fear on his bloodied face.

She lifted him up and threw him against the floor, and he gasped for air, lying on his back. Yang stared down at him, then stamped down on his chest. And to get the remaining fury out of her heart, she twisted her boot, and threw her arm back, bellowing with every ounce of anger in her heart to the sky, blue embers trailing from her hair and burning the ends away, leaving her hair much shorter.

Yang panted and nearly collapsed if not for Ghira catching her, and helping her towards Blake, who was more than happy to help shoulder Yang. Blake lovingly kissed Yang’s cheek as she walked away, but Adam pressed his knee against the rocks, and she saw the soldiers aim their rifles at him.

“Blake…” Adam wheezed, coughing up blood and picking up Wilt and Blush, pushing the blade into the rocks to support himself.

She stared back at him; her fist clenched. “… get… back… here…”

She gritted her teeth. “IT’S. OVER!” she yelled.

“Nothing… ends… until you strike me down… Blake…” He wheezed.

Blake stood and stared him down with Yang’s head resting close to hers, barely conscious. “You have lost Adam… just give this up… this obsession… look at what it’s done to you. It’s turned you into a monster…”

He stared at her, stringy blood dangling from his split lip. “You think… that you made me this way? You… are not the artist… of what I am… I chose… this… it is who I have always been…” Adam admitted, and Blake trembled… but not in fear.

He’s finally admitting it?

That it’s not my fault?

That this was all him?

“Just… as I will always choose… to hunt you down… Blake…” He snarled, but Blake felt nothing towards his threats.

“Then we’ll be waiting for you.” She replied, and he stammered. “Goodbye… Adam.”

She turned and walked away with Yang, and the White Fang surrounded him, all aiming their weapons at the defeated tyrant. “Belladonna!” He yelled. He gritted his teeth and mustered what little strength he had left. “BELLADONNA!” He roared.

But Blake just kept walking away.

He had never felt so… powerless.

And he saw the memories of Salem torturing him for his obsessions… for never leaving Blake alone.

All it ever brought him was more pain.

He would never get what he wanted.

“It’s over, Adam.” Ghira stated, with Kali by his side, blades at the ready. He looked at them all and showed his true nature.

Cowardice.

He dropped Wilt and Blush and hung his head in defeat.

It was over.

As Blake walked away with Yang, she finally was able to take it all in.

It’s not my fault what happened to him…

… but… Sun…

Tears streamed from behind her blindfold, and she began to cry as she walked away.

He really was gone now…

Chapter 54: Godfall

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

Embers flowed through the air, travelling with the thick black smoke that poured from the burning wreckages of the Black Gallows Fleet. Whilst they were fighting Jaune, the Black Gallows was destroyed from within right above Cinder and Pyrrha.

They were lucky that they didn’t get crushed when the debris came plummeting from the sky all around them. Pyrrha coughed, grabbing her chest as she looked through the smoke, picking up Ira Red and Crocea Mortem. “Cinder?” She called out.

“Over… here…” The weak, wheezy voice of Cinder Fall tried to call out, but the thing that was more noticeable was the sound of her coughing violently. Pyrrha rushed towards the direction of her spluttering, finding Cinder on one knee, coughing up blood onto the black sand, barely able to breathe. Her eye was leaking with blood and so was her nose. There was so much blood now.

“Gods… the Noctus Putrida… it’s getting worse.” Pyrrha stated.

“No… you don’t say?” Cinder sarcastically replied, chuckling as she wiped the blood from her mouth, nose, and eyes. She spat the rest of the blood from her mouth, and opened her hands, forming her two axes once again.

“Cinder, please… just stay back…”

“I’m dying anyway, Pyrrha… I’ll be damned if a goddamn disease is gonna be the death of me.” Cinder retaliated, staring past her. From the wall of fire, they saw a dark silhouette… it was Thaddeus. He slowly emerged from the raging flames, his flesh and armour scorched from the head, but the pale white skin swiftly healed with black tar seeping down his skin. He stared them directly in the eyes, dragging his heavy sword through the black sand.

His other arm dangled, the bone inside crushed to powder, yet they could see and hear it regenerating from the wound. It jolted and snapped, crunched and twisted back into shape, picking up his shield that was laid in the sand next to him. He swung the sword upwards and rested it on his shoulder as he approached, his cloak now completely aflame and blowing in the wind. He exhaled savagely as he stared them both down.

Pyrrha scowled back at the monster in the body of her beloved, and spun Ira Red and Crocea Mortem through her fingers, her red ponytail dancing in the wind. Cinder cracked her neck, still wheezing, but she refused to stay down.

“Resilient… but foolish!” Thaddeus yelled, before he blasted into the air, using the cannon in his shield to throw him high into the air above them, and rocketing down towards them both, swinging the enormous blade towards them. He smashed the blade between them as the two rolled away, ripping up the soil. The area that they were fighting in was getting smaller and smaller by the second because of the encroaching fire. “Nothing you throw at me will ever keep me down!” Thaddeus roared.

It was like he had devolved into a mindless beast, more like a Grimm than a knight. He lunged towards Cinder, slashing his sword across her chest so hard that it threw the Fall Maiden across the arena, crashing against the burning chunks of metal. She coughed in agony, but Thaddeus was above to slash his sword across her throat. Pyrrha suddenly launched a chunk of burning metal towards Thaddeus, hitting him from the right.

Thaddeus grunted, tumbling through the sand and driving the sword into the floor to stop himself. Pyrrha shot towards him and slashed relentlessly at Thaddeus, cutting away at his chest with her two swords, before jumping and stabbing through his glowing red armour. The heat would have been excruciating if Thaddeus was not the monster he had become. He growled like a feral animal, and that growl erupted into a demonic howl, creating an explosion of purple smoke around his body, and he started swinging his sword at Pyrrha with mindless rage.

Pyrrha deflected the first two swings, but had to roll away as he just kept slashing at her, dragging the blade through the sand and tossing sparks as it clipped pieces of metal from the wrecks that trapped them here. He suddenly slammed the sword across her armoured chest, throwing her backwards, before jumping into the air and holding his sword above his head, flipping through the air and smashing it down towards her.

She crossed the two swords together, only narrowly stopping the monster from burying that sword into her face. Sparks leaked as the two razor-sharp blades ground against each other. Thaddeus grinned with Jaune’s face. “His memories… they spoke of you… I could feel how he felt about you. It’s funny… he had so much love for you… and so much jealousy.” He growled.

Cinder suddenly flew above him and she slung a lightning bolt into his back, before yelling with rage as she drove both axes into the sides of his neck. He roared with agony and rage, staggering away from Pyrrha as black blood burst from his throat. Cinder flipped backwards off Thaddeus, collapsing both axes in her hands and forging her Bow, firing an explosive arrow into his chest.

With his armour softened from the high temperatures of the inferno, the plates shattered from the explosion, revealing his chest beneath. Black blood leaked from the burns, and chunks of metal were dug into the skin. He dropped to one knee, with parts of his chest plate still attached, but he reached onto his shoulder pauldron and tore it clean off, flames from his cape blowing around him. He stood tall and ignited flames from the barrel of his shield, and smothered the steel of his blade, staring them in the eye.

Cinder launched towards him, firing more arrows at him, but he spun his sword through his fingers so fast it was like the rotor blades of a helicopter, cutting them down before they could even touch him. He left a constant blaze of fire in his wake before jumping into the air and slamming the sword into the floor. Fire exploded where Cinder was standing, throwing her backwards.

She rolled across the ground, then formed her two falchions, flying back towards him, but he smashed his shield against her face, sending her crashing against the sand. She landed near the flames, her eye widening as she saw how close she got.

Thaddeus glared at her, then turned as Pyrrha jumped, slashing across his chest, then rolling away, combining the swords together, transforming them into Rifle Mode. She aimed at him and fired, sending bullets into his chest. He hardly even recoiled, black blood squirting from the wounds. He smirked, then she aimed at his head, but he raised his shield and sprinted towards her.

He fired his cannon at her, but she rolled aside and disconnected her swords, and threw one of them into his shoulder. He grunted, but then yanked the blade back towards her with her semblance. As the polarity ripped the sword out, she jumped and caught it, and the velocity of it leaving his shoulder caused Thaddeus to stumble towards her. She crossed her swords like they were a pair of sheers, yelling with fury as she went to cut his head off his shoulders.

But Thaddeus raised his sword and caught the blades, bright sparks exploding from the impact. Pyrrha fell onto him, and he countered her fall, throwing her against the floor. Suddenly, his boot pressed against her back and he grabbed her by her ponytail and yanked her head back, the blade of his sword kissing her throat. “Do you know how much he really hated you? Hated how much better you were than him? How much you pitied his pathetic lack of skill?” Thaddeus hissed.

“SHUT UP!” Pyrrha screamed, her eyes flooding with the God of Darkness’ purple glow. Her arms lit aflame with purple fire, and she created a powerful explosion beneath her. The sand flew high in the air, and the shockwave launched Thaddeus away from her. As she turned, her shadow was replaced with the silhouette of the Brother of Darkness. She yelled with hate, thrusting both her hands towards him, and suddenly a pair of dark purple beams of magic shot towards him.

Thaddeus raised his shield, blocking the magic that was shooting from her palms at him, pushing him across the sand. He suddenly slashed his burning sword through the sand, flinging the melting grains in her direction. It melted into large spikes of glass and hardened immediately.

Pyrrha’s emerald eyes widened, and she rolled aside, only narrowly missing them. Thaddeus laughed cunningly, spinning his sword through his fingers. “He never felt worthy because of you… because of all of you! You were only holding him back… now I am helping him become what he was always supposed to be.” Thaddeus snarled.

“He’s nothing like you. You’re a disgrace to the Arc name!” Pyrrha yelled back, sprinting towards him, only for Thaddeus to swing around and slash his sword across her chest, throwing her against the wall. As she fell to the floor, Thaddeus stamped at her head, only narrowly missing when she rolled away, but as she went to counterattack, he swung around with his burning blade and still hit her.

She yelped in pain, holding her chest as embers trailed. Cinder flew past her but suddenly spluttered, grabbing at her throat as blood came pouring out, and the same was happening once again from her eye and nose. She could barely even breathe, desperately grabbing her throat, crawling across the sand.

Thaddeus chuckled sinisterly as he walked around Cinder as she coughed up so much blood on the floor. “Tsk, tsk, tsk… so disappointing.” Thaddeus growled, kicking the suffering Fall Maiden in the gut. She vomited more blood, and Pyrrha gritted her teeth, throwing her sword at him, but he caught Crocea Mortem in his hand, literally letting the blade get impaled through his palm.

He looked at the broken remains of Crocea Mors and he smirked. “Well, well… the remnants of a time long passed… dear old Haytham… the young traitor…” Thaddeus snarled, his glowing purple eyes flaring as he stared at the familiar markings on the sword. He closed his fist around it and crushed the blade.

Pyrrha’s eyes widened when she saw Crocea Mortem shatter into tiny pieces, leaving her with only Ira Red now.

Cinder wheezed weakly on the floor, barely even able to stand now, but she still tried. “Still got some life in you!” He laughed, kicking her in the face and knocking her on her back. He dragged his sword towards her, but Pyrrha sprinted towards him.

“LEAVE HER ALONE!” Pyrrha screamed, only for Thaddeus to kick the broken blade of Crocea Mortem up and he caught it, throwing it into her shoulder. Pyrrha screamed in agony as it punctured into her shoulder but she kept going, but Thaddeus stamped on her throat, holding her there.

“You risk life and limb for the very person who almost slew you… such a meagre thing… forgiveness… mercy…” Thaddeus chuckled. Pyrrha struggled as she pushed against his boot, but he turned her head, then forced his boot against her cheek, making her stare at Cinder, who was barely even conscious. “… and this is how your forgiveness is rewarded.”

He raised his sword with one hand and went to drive it through Cinder’s heart until suddenly a pink explosion launched Thaddeus away from the two women. Pyrrha gasped for air but immediately scrambled to Cinder, holding her shoulders and pulling her away from him, but her eyes turned to where the explosion came from.

She gasped… it was Nora and Ren.

They both dropped into the arena. “Pyrrha! Is Cinder okay? What’s going…” Nora paused, her eyes bulging wide when she saw him. Ren stood beside her in disbelief. “… J-Jaune?”

Thaddeus stood tall, smirking sinisterly and chuckling. “Well, well… here comes the rest of the merry band of failures.” He snarled.

“Jaune, it’s us!” Ren called out.

“It’s not… Jaune… I know it looks like him… but it isn’t. It’s Thaddeus Rex… his ancestor… one of Ozpin’s variants… a monster. He’s using Jaune’s body and memories against us.” Pyrrha panted, grasping her shoulder.

Nora was shaking, but she held her wrist, then scowled at Thaddeus. She could tell… his purple eyes… the white hair and the pale skin…

“Salem… this was her, wasn’t it?” Nora asked.

“Yeah… to get the Relic of Creation. Only an Arc could free it from the stone… so she brought him back… and used the corrupted soul of his insane ancestor to do it. He’s gone… Nora…” Pyrrha stammered.

But Nora slowly drew Stormur Skeggox, spinning the enormous axe through her fingers with Ren drawing Stormflower. His aura was still weak after his fight with Icarus, and his heart was already hurting from losing his father.

He may look like Jaune… but knowing who Thaddeus was?

It was the perfect thing to vent that anger on.

Thaddeus smirked and held out his sword, the embers from the fire trailing away from his blade in the wind, charging up the cannon on his shield.

“Keep Cinder safe and get your aura back, Pyrrha. We’ll keep this bastard off you.” Nora promised with Ren beside her.

 

Salem

 

Salem’s eyes glowed bright red, and she launched directly towards Ruby, forming a glowing gold sword in her hand and slashing it at her face, before spinning her double-ended sword through her fingers. Ruby dashed away, firing Black Thorn at Salem, trying to keep Jinn away from Salem’s hands.

If she gets Jinn…

The Gods will fall…

And if she kills them, it’s all over

Salem slashed her enormous sword across the sand, throwing the grains across the air, before she threw the conjured blade in her direction. Ruby only narrowly moved her head to the side, and the blade sliced across her cheek. Her aura was still charging back up, blood leaked from the fresh wound. Salem walked towards her, only for Penny to fly above her, firing her beam of green energy down upon the Dark Queen. Salem gritted her teeth, spinning her gigantic sword through her fingers with great speed, refracting the beam away from her.

The beam carved through the purple crystals that surrounded her, bringing them all crashing down. Salem suddenly channelled dark magic through her other arm and into the palm, and launched a beam of purple and red energy into Penny’s chest. She cried out in agony, her aura shattering once again as she was knocked out of the sky. A bullet shot into Salem’s head, splattering black blood across the air, but she just turned to Ruby as the wound healed, seeing her crawling away from her.

“You must accept your fate.” Salem stated, suddenly forming a huge hammer in her hand, resting it upon her shoulder. Huge black wings burst from her back and she launched into the air, and spun as she swung down towards Ruby to kill her.

Until the hammer shattered, and her eyes widened, to see Oscar Pine was suddenly in front of her, holding the Long Memory towards Salem. She slid away from Ruby, and Oscar spun the weapon through his fingers. “Go, get the Relic safe.” Oscar stated.

“But…” Ruby winced.

“Please, Miss Rose.” Ozpin requested.

Ruby scrambled back to her feet and Penny followed her, leaving Ozpin to challenge Salem on his own. Salem stood tall, her huge sword still in her grasp, glaring at her. “Ozma…” Salem snarled with hate in her voice.

“Enough of this, Salem… your actions will doom us all and it will not grant you the release you desire.” Ozpin begged.

“The gods will pay for what they did to me… to us.” Salem stated. “Nothing will ever change that.”

Ozpin sighed, then he pointed the Long Memory at her, ready to battle against her once more. Salem suddenly shot towards her former lover in a blur of darkness, swinging her sword downwards so fast it shot an arc of wind in his direction. But Ozpin darted aside and extended Oscar’s chained hammer, smashing it across her jaw. Salem grunted, turning to throw three conjured knives at him. He rolled out of the path of those incoming blades, then he drove his cane into the ground, levitating rocks that surrounded him, and shot them towards her with glowing green magical energy.

Salem cut them down with her sword, then she launched towards him once again. He broke away from his spell and deflected her incoming blows with his cane, blocking them as fast as he could in Oscar’s shorter frame. Ozpin’s eyes shone gold, and he furiously struck Salem over and over with the Long Memory, moving so fast that his body was a green blur, before he shot forward and smashed Salem across the face with the cane.

Salem tumbled across the ground, then dug her hand into the sand, ripping a huge rock from the ground and throwing it towards him. He jumped and flipped over it, and opened his hand, forming a green magical sign. He shot bolts of green lightning at her, but she raised her sword, catching the electrical energy, and spun her sword through her fingers, forming a powerful tornado around her which coursed with that very lightning.

She flew high into the air and came crashing down with a tremendous explosion of green lightning. Ozpin was thrown back by Salem, staring at her, and he drove the cane into the ground, closing his eyes. Salem stood tall, staring at him with fury in her red eyes, then realised what he was doing. She saw Oscar’s aura glow bright green, then suddenly, multiple ghostly apparitions formed inside of him, and all came jumping out.

It was the Variants of Ozma, their spirits all coming to Oscar’s aid.

The original Ozma amongst them. Salem gritted her teeth with fury and she sprinted towards them. Even seeing Ozma again… she felt nothing towards the man she loved so much that she was willing to use Dark Magic to resurrect.

Not anymore…

… they were closer to strangers than what they used to be.

Ozma shot forward and blasted a powerful beam of green magic towards Salem, whilst Ozymandias jumped above her and fired fast bolts of magic down at her. Salem grunted, and one by one the many variants of Ozma battled her. The Old Hermit yelled with fury, slamming his hands against the ground as he sent huge roots towards her, wrapping them around her arms to hold her down.

The Farmer spun his sceptre through his fingers, charging the magical energy into the crystal, before slamming it into the ground and shooting a constant beam of ice into Salem’s chest. Ozpin held his position with the cane against the ground as his former selves continued to attack Salem. But Salem’s eyes glowed bright red, and suddenly a new pair of arms burst from her body and formed a pair of swords, and she slashed through the roots to free herself.

The Settler roared as she smashed the Long Memory against the side of her head, but Salem grabbed him by the throat and crushed his windpipe with ease. But she was still vastly outnumbered by them all. They constantly fired every element of magic at her to hold the monster down. She dropped to one knee as they wrapped magical vines of green light around her body. But she roared with rage and channelled all her magic into her chest, and created a massive blast of magic that shattered the spirits of Ozma.

They all faded away, and Salem immediately launched herself towards Ozpin and punched him in the face. Oscar quickly took control of his body and wrapped Thunderous Deception around her throat, and yanked her towards him. He jumped towards her face, but she caught him by the throat and smashed him against the ground.

Salem turned away from him, and she darted in the direction that Ruby was running.

Ruby and Penny were still trying to make some distance from Salem and the other Relics. Ruby looked up at the sky though and saw the Moon was slowly but surely forming itself back together.

The Eclipse was close…

But they kept running until Penny looked back, and her green eyes widened in fear. “RUBY!” She screamed, forcing Ruby down, but Salem slammed directly into Penny, sending her flying. Salem blasted fire across the two blades of her sword and spun it as she swung at Ruby, only narrowly missing her throat when the Silver Eyed Huntress rolled away from her.

Salem snarled, and she grabbed at her chest, snarling deeply before roaring to the sky, her scream mixing with the roar of so many Grimm, and she unleashed fresh Geists from her heart. They all flew towards Ruby, their clawed hands stretched out for the Relic of Knowledge that she clutched in her hands. She aimed Black Thorn in one hand whilst holding onto the Relic, firing at the Geists, and Penny shot Floating Array at them as well, cutting them down before they could even get close.

Salem leapt through the smoke of their disintegrating corpses, slashing across Ruby’s chest with the sword. The flames burned her clothes, and she cried out in pain, her hand pressed against the bleeding injury. Salem slashed the sword towards her hand, smashing Black Thorn from her grasp.

Salem held her sword above her head to impale the Silver Eyed Warrior, but Penny launched into Salem, ramming all of her swords through Salem’s back, pulling her away from her beloved. Salem gritted her teeth and reached back to Penny and flung her over her shoulder. Penny crashed into the floor, but Oscar returned with Ozpin back in control.

He smashed Thunderous Deception across Salem’s jaw, then tapped the cane against the floor, blasting rocks from under the sand and shooting them towards her. Salem crossed her wings over to block the rocks, before swinging them forward, throwing Fatal Feathers in his direction. Ozpin jumped and flipped through the air, only narrowly dodging it, but a feather knocked his weapon from his hand.

He landed and clenched his hands into fists, before thrusting them towards Salem and shooting a pair of magical beams of green light into Salem’s chest. Salem yelled in pain, dropping to one knee, before glaring at Ozpin and grabbing Penny by the hair and throwing her at Ozpin.

Ozpin tumbled across the ground, then Penny glared at Salem when the Dark Queen pushed her boot against Ruby’s throat, choking her to death. Penny’s eyes lit up with fury. “NO!” she yelled, focusing all her energy into Floating Array, blasting a beam into Salem’s side. Salem snarled from the pain as the hot beam carved flesh away, and Ozpin vaulted over Penny’s shoulder, ducking under the blade that Salem swung at him.

He jumped and punched up her chin before smashing his hammer into her knee, snapping it with ease. She fell and Ozpin immediately smashed the Long Memory against the side of her face. She tumbled across the sand, her leg snapping back into position. Her long white hair hanging loose blew in the wind, then she stretched her hand towards Penny and grabbed her by the throat, digging her claws into her artificial skin.

Ozpin’s eyes widened, gasping, and he held the Long Memory in both hands. The clockwork inside rotated faster and faster. Glowing gold on the inside as the kinetic energy increased with power. Salem’s eyes widened, and she immediately pulled Penny past Ozpin, knocking him over and throwing her into the rocks.

Salem crouched, ripping the Relic of Knowledge from Ruby’s weak hands. “NO! THE RELIC!” Ruby screamed, and Ozpin tried to fire more magic at her, but she flew away from them and went directly to the other relics.

Soon…

… soon my suffering will be over…

That was all that echoed in Salem’s mind as she got closer and closer to the three relics rotating inside of Creation’s Beam shooting into the moon. But she was so focused on her goal… that she didn’t even notice the sonic boom to her right.

Suddenly, Eryka Vasillias slammed into Salem with all her might, smashing Salem through one of the towering Purple Crystals, roaring with fury as she pummelled Salem into the ground. Her eyes were aflame with blue fire, and filled with hate for the monster who did all of this. As Salem crashed into the ground, the Relic of Knowledge tumbled away from her grasp.

Salem stared at Eryka with fury in her eyes, matching the look of disdain in Neptune’s Sister.

“You… so that’s where the power went.” Salem snarled, her eyes igniting with red fire as well. “But you are not your mother, child… if even your lone mother was no match for me, what hope do you have of stopping me?” Salem questioned.

“That’s where you’re wrong, bitch. I’m not alone.” Eryka stated.

Salem turned, seeing Weiss and Winter landing behind her, and Ozpin caught up with them. Salem gritted her teeth, growling like a savage animal, her fists clenched. Eryka attacked first, flying directly at Salem, and throwing her fist into the side of the Queen’s face. The punch pushed Salem back a few inches, but she immediately retaliated with a hard swing from her sword as it came calling back into her hand. Eryka crashed into the ground, and Salem turned immediately to stop Weiss from driving her sword into Salem’s chest.

She pushed her away and spun on the spot, slashing across the blades of both Schnees, sparks flying high. All around her, more people were converging as well, seeing the Happy Huntresses and Marrow also joining the battle. Marrow fired his rifle at her, whilst Joanna fired her crossbow into Salem’s leg. She dropped to one knee, and opened her Draconic Wings once more, flying into the air and throwing her sword into one of the Vasillias Soldiers, impaling him instantly.

Joanna jumped and punched Salem in the face whilst Winter rammed her sword straight through her back and out of her chest. Eryka flew high above and fired a powerful beam of ice into Salem’s chest, forming huge chunks of ice in her flesh.

Then her eyes glowed bright red, and she called out to them.

“PRAETORIAN KNIGHTS! SLAUGHTER THEM ALL! LEAVE NONE ALIVE!” she roared.

Ruby’s eyes widened when she heard that.

“Oh, no…”

From the burning remnants of Evernight, they emerged, with smoke and embers trailing from their bodies.

The former followers of Thadeus Rex held their Sceptres tight, and walked towards the White Fang and Vasillias Cartel Warriors, alongside the Summit’s Claim Fighters. Team C.F.V, Vernal and Sashaa’s eyes widened in fear when they saw the huge Ancient Geists approaching.

Salem smirked, then she roared, blowing them all away in a magical blast, spinning her sword through her fingers, wings extended and eyes burning red.

What little humanity she had left was being sacrificed to get what she wanted.

Salem was completely unrecognisable to Ozpin now.

All he saw was a monster.

One that had to die.

 

Nora

 

He was once their leader… their best friend.

What did Salem do to you?

Thaddeus growled as he stared at them, then he sprinted towards Nora and jumped, spinning through the air and firing his shield multiple times down at her. She rolled away, and Ren sprinted around the shrinking arena. The explosive shells blew the sand and ash all around them. Then he came careening down with the sword, crashing it into the floor right at Nora’s feet. But Nora fought through the hesitation, accepting that this was not their friend anymore, and that it was Thaddeus.

Tears streamed from her eyes and she screamed with anguish, swinging Stormur Skeggox at his head, but Thaddeus swung his sword upwards, catching the axe, and staring her dead in the eye. He grinned maniacally, twisting the axe from her hand, and smashing his shield against her, sending her flying backwards. Ren fired his grappling hooks at him, but he turned and swung his sword towards Ren’s throat to behind him. Ren shot another grappling hook into his leg and tripped him up, only narrowly missing the blade.

Ren flipped overhead, firing Stormflower down at him, filling his body with the glowing green bullets. Thaddeus rolled backwards, and swung his burning sword around, and drove it into the ground. As he held it down, he snarled savagely, then howled as his body ignited with purple flames. His eyes shone bright purple as he roared to the sky, and he lunged towards Ren first, smashing the sword back and forth.

Ren just had to keep retreating. He was moving too fast and aggressively to possibly even land a hit on him. Thaddeus dragged the sword through the sand and swung upwards across Ren’s chest, before resting his cannon over his arm, firing a shell into his chest. As it exploded against him, the Kuroyurian Huntsman grunted as it blew him against the rocks. Thaddeus sprinted towards Ren, but Nora launched Magni into the side of his head, sending Thaddeus rolling across the sand, dragging the blade of his heavy sword into the floor, staring back at her.

“The Jaune I knew was never someone to rush headfirst into a fight like that.” Nora stated.

“Then clearly you never knew him at all!” Thaddeus yelled back, swinging his sword forward so hard and fast that it blasted a huge wall of fire towards her. She rolled aside and called Magni back to her, smashing into his shoulder. Thaddeus stumbled towards her, and she jumped at him, burying the axe into his neck. She sniffled as she stared at him, black blood pouring from the wound.

But to her shock, he just grabbed the blade of the axe, staring back at her with a grin. “Is that all you’ve got? You disappoint me!” Thaddeus laughed, smashing his head into her face, then ripping the axe from his neck and throwing it back at her. She gasped, rolling aside, but quickly pulling the weapon from where it landed. She reached into her pocket and yanked a lightning dust crystal from it, and crushed it in her palm.

She screamed with rage, her scars and veins lighting up pink, spinning her axe through her fingers. Thaddeus chuckled sinisterly.

“That’s more like it.” He chuckled.

Whilst they fought against Thaddeus, Pyrrha held onto Cinder, looking at her and listening to her weak breaths. “Cinder? Are you still with me?” Pyrrha asked her.

“Not… dead… yet…” Cinder whispered.

“I need to find a way out of here for us.” Pyrrha said, getting up and looking around, hoping to find one fast enough for Ren and Nora to hold off against him.

“I… have an… idea…” Cinder coughed, grabbing at her throat again. Her eye was bloodshot. It was amazing she could still see through all the blood that was pouring from her. She pushed her hand against the floor, using the Exo-Suit to help herself stand up. She was a dead woman walking, yet despite how much agony she was in, she still refused to stay down.

She never could stay down.

She limped towards the flames, then fell to one knee. Pyrrha helped steady her, looking back at Thaddeus. “There’s… a way through here… just… need to clear the… flames.” Cinder mumbled, shakily holding out her hand, and slowly conjuring icy winds from her palm into the flames to extinguish them as fast as she could. Pyrrha picked up Ira Red and looked back at Thaddeus in case he got away from Ren and Nora.

She made a promise to keep Cinder alive for as long as she could.

And she would always keep her promise as best as she could.

Thaddeus kicked Nora in the chest, then turned to catch Ren by the throat, slamming him against the ground. He immediately kicked his sword back into his hand and drove the blade down at where Ren just was, but he quickly rolled aside. Nora stood tall and swiftly launched Stormur Skeggox into his chest, stumbling Thaddeus backwards, then she sprinted towards him and jumped onto the handle of his axe, and fired a grenade just as it transformed. Thaddeus roared in pain, staggering backwards and blowing a huge cavernous hole in his chest.

His back snapped backwards, black blood spraying from his innards, dragging his sword through the sand, laughing at them as the Grimm tar quickly began reconstructing his body. Nora’s eyes widened, and if anything, that disturbing sight has helped her understand now.

It wasn’t him…

… it was just a Grimm.

His body straightened upwards, snapping back together, and holding his sword against the floor, hunched forward like a feral animal. Nora sprinted forward, slashing her axe at him relentlessly, but he deflected the incoming blows, then raised his shield to block her next much harder attack. The impact broke his block, but he countered with a sudden swing across her aura protected body.

The slash of his sword knocked her back, but she rushed forward once again, jumping and spinning towards him, smashing Magni into his face and burying the axe into the side of his face. Thaddeus growled as he felt the pain, but he just smirked, taking pleasure in how it felt. “I haven’t felt this kind of pain in so long… give me more… SHOW ME EVERYTHING YOU HAVE!” Thaddeus roared, and Nora ripped it out and went to bury it in his face again, but Thaddeus suddenly shot her in the chest with his cannon, and swung around with his sword, slashing her across the throat. If not for her aura, it would have for sure been the end of her. She stumbled away and touched her neck for a second there. But she channelled the electricity in her body into Stormur Skeggox, holding it in both hands.

She roared and aimed the head of the axe at her, firing a focused beam of pink energy towards him. He raised his shield, taking the hit directly, and the power of that beam started to make the centre of the shield glow gold. Just as the beam stopped firing, Nora swiftly twisted and threw the axe back at Thaddeus, hitting him directly in the chest again, and calling it right back into her gauntleted hand.

As Thaddeus staggered forward, Ren sprinted past Nora and slid across the floor, dodging the incoming cannon shots from the shield, and he jumped up, slashing the blades of his pistols up his bare chest, then rolling underneath his legs and cutting across the back of his knees. Ren jumped onto his back and buried the blades of his pistols into Thaddeus’ throat, pulling him backwards and allowing Nora to fire a grenade into his chest.

Thaddeus chuckled as he staggered backwards.

“Keep throwing everything you have at me… nothing you do will ever cut me down forever. I am Thaddeus Rex Arc – I cannot die.” Thaddeus snarled.

“We’ll put that theory to the test. But first, you’re gonna give him back to us!” Nora yelled as she sprinted towards Thaddeus, slashing Stormur Skeggox across his chest, spraying black blood across her face. “Give him back!” She yelled again, activating the thrusters on the back of the axe’s head, letting it rotate around her, slashing him repeatedly whilst she smashed Magni across his face relentlessly.

Then she caught the axe and tears streamed from her eyes once again. “GIVE HIM BAAAACK!” she screeched, smashing her axe into his chest so hard that Thaddeus was blasted away from her, crashing into the flaming wreckage. Nora panted, and Ren ran to her side, holding her face.

“Hey… you got him…” He promised, until they both turned with wide eyes to hear the savage roars of Thaddeus from the flames. They saw him impaled on a piece of metal, burning alive. But he was slowly pulling himself free to keep fighting.

How the hell is he still kicking?

He really wasn’t kidding… he can’t be killed…

“Guys!” Pyrrha called, Nora and Ren turned to see the dying Cinder Fall extinguishing an escape path for them.

“Go…” Cinder wheezed.

Nora and Pyrrha both helped Cinder, resting her arms over their shoulders to carry her through, with Ren running ahead. They ran as fast as they could through the destruction of the Black Gallows, hearing some soldiers shrieking in agony in the flames, and more crushed under the rubble. But that was not what frightened them most. It was the sound of Thaddeus breaking free.

“PYRRHAAAAAAA!” Thaddeus bellowed, and they could hear him sprinting after them through the flaming wreckages of the fleet. Smashing through anything in his path to get to them. They kept running, but more fire blocked their path, and despite her barely hanging on, Cinder raised her hand and blasted more ice into the fire to open a path for them.

As they ran through, Thaddeus’ sword burst through the flames, only narrowly missing them.

He swung at them and tumbled out of the fire, covered in burns as he pursued them. They kept running, and Nora fired back at him, hitting him in the chest with the grenade. But that was only a good way to hold him back for now. They kept running and found a way up the cliffs with Thaddeus right on their tail.

They all jumped across the cliffs and tumbled, but Thaddeus jumped as well, which Nora stopped with another grenade, sending him crashing down the gap they jumped across. Pyrrha drew her scroll. “Medical transports? Anyone?” She called out onto all the networks.

“I can… still fight…”

“You can barely stand, Cinder! I dunno what’s wrong, but you can’t fight!” Ren argued, but then they still heard Thaddeus behind them. They heard the rhythmic banging of his sword stabbing into the cliffs, climbing up to the top, growling like a mad dog. They kept running as fast as they could, then they reached the top.

Thaddeus lunged at them but Cinder’s eye ignited and she gritted her teeth, blasting Thaddeus as he jumped, sending him tumbling past them.

And directly ahead, they saw Salem battling against everyone for the Relic of Knowledge.

Pyrrha and Nora rested Cinder down somewhere safe, then Pyrrha looked at her only weapon, sighing, but then Cinder held out her hand to Pyrrha’s. “Give me… your hand…”

Pyrrha crouched down and held out her hand, then Cinder’s eye ignited again, only faintly, and she saw as the sand forged into Obsidian over Pyrrha’s handing, forming into a Discus Shield.

Identical to Akouo.

Pyrrha stared at the familiar shield and stood tall, with Ira Red replacing Milo.

Cinder’s hand dropped as she wheezed weakly, and Pyrrha nodded at her. “Thank you, Cinder.”

Pyrrha turned and stood beside Nora and Ren, her aura recharged enough to fight once again. But now, Thaddeus was in the fight with Salem.

Still bound to her by the curse she corrupted his soul with.

 

Salem

 

The Dark Queen roared as she smashed May across the dunes with her sword, then channelled, jumped into the air and caught a bolt of red lightning, forming it into a tuning fork, and slammed it into the ground with all her might. The impact created an enormous explosion which threw everyone across the floor. Weiss skated across her glyphs and slashed Myrtenaster across Salem’s chest, spilling black blood across the sand, then Eryka launched herself towards Salem, punching her in the face and drawing her bow, firing three arrows at her. As they landed, she also unleashed a storm of icicles towards her.

Salem took all the hits, then shot forward and punched Eryka against the wall, stamping on her chest, pinning her down. “You are merely a child with those powers, overwhelmed, and with nobody to help you.” Salem scoffed.

Winter rammed her sword into Salem’s throat, but Salem kicked her in the side and turned, pulling the sword from her neck with ease and tossing it to the floor. She walked down the rocks, then she launched towards them all, spinning across the dunes and slashed her burning blade across the ground, splattering magma everywhere which froze into spikes of obsidian.

As she fought, Ozpin walked towards him, until he felt his hairs stand on end, and he turned, sensing a presence he hoped to never sense again.

Thaddeus was glaring at him, eyes glowing purple in the resurrected body of Jaune.

But Ozpin saw through the face of Jaune…

… he knew exactly who that was.

“Thaddeus…” All of the voices of Ozma gasped in fear.

“Ozymandias…” Thaddeus snarled with hatred. “… you… abandoned me…”

Salem did not attack though, because everyone saw Jaune’s body and stared with absolute disbelief and fear. Even Salem froze when she saw him, remembering what Thaddeus did to her family, especially now knowing that it was only him and that Ozma tried to stop him. “It seems even fate cannot free you from this world… what have you done, Salem?” He questioned, staring at her.

“I gave him a fate worse than what he deserved.” Salem answered. He then turned to Thaddeus once more and saw how he could not even argue against her.

Whether he believed it or not…

… she was his Queen now.

“And you allowed him to continue to torment even more lives…” Ozpin said, looking at both of them and gripping his weapons tightly. Salem clenched her hand into a fist, but Ozpin couldn’t tell if she was staring at him or Thaddeus anymore.

“My Knight…” she said, sounding so conflicted in her heart.

Thaddeus raised his head. “Kill them all.” She commanded.

“It will be done.” It was like those words were a trigger word to control him. Thaddeus raised his sword and immediately lunged towards Ozpin, and he stopped the sword with his cane, staring back at the face of his former student.

“You dare use such a kind boy’s body for such cruel acts?” Ozpin questioned.

“It’s what you taught me.” Thaddeus snarled.

The battle continued, and Weiss shook off the horrific sight of what Jaune had become, and fired multiple fireballs into Salem’s back. But Salem turned, and she slung her own back at Weiss, knocking her down the dunes. Salem looked around and turned to see Ruby grabbing the Relic of Knowledge and running.

“You…” Salem snarled, sprinting towards her, smashing Fiona out of the way. As Ruby ran, Salem suddenly lunged forward and slashed across Ruby’s side. Her silver eyes widened, and she dropped to her knees as blood leaked heavily from her side and she dropped the Relic.

“RUBY!” Penny screamed.

“Your resilience to the inevitable has carried you far. But now… you must accept your defeat.” Salem stated, picking up the Relic of Knowledge and walking away from her.

Weiss sprinted with Winter, and Eryka flew directly at Salem to stop her, but Salem turned and she fired multiple magical projectiles at them all.

All of which hit them directly and knocked them to the floor.

Pyrrha lifted her head, eyes widening when she saw the Brothers in front of her.

“No… STOP HER!” The Brother of Darkness begged.

But it was too late.

She returned to the relics and placed the Lamp with the two others that rotated around the Sword of Creation. The beam burned her flesh down to the bone, but she did not react. She pulled her hand out, watching as black tar poured over the bones and reconstructed her complexions.

“Brothers?” Pyrrha gasped, not hearing them anymore. Not sensing their eyes watching her. “Oh, no…”

Salem stared at the sky as it darkened and golden lightning crackled above, then suddenly the sky tore open and they saw endless stars and colourful cosmic dust above them. A bright gold and purple beam shot down from the sky towards them, and they saw the golden Wyrm and purple Dragon come crashing towards Salem.

She extended her hand and pulled the Relic of Destruction from the four and she immediately swung at them to kill them instantly, but Pyrrha threw herself into Salem, breaking her aim and causing her to tumble and drop the Sword of Destruction. Her veins were burning and Salem snarled with pain as she felt the power that weapon had.

Pyrrha turned as she heard the crash, and she saw them in their human forms, scrambling away from Salem in fear… like cowards.

Salem stared at them with hate in her eyes.

“It is time for your punishment, Brothers.” Salem snarled, picking up the sword.

But Pyrrha stood between her, protecting the Gods.

“Please… you can’t do this…” Pyrrha begged. “I know what they did to you. I saw it all… I’ve had them in my head. You have every reason to want revenge, but if you do this… it won’t free you… you’ll be trapped… forever… alone…”

Salem glared at the Gods, not even looking at Pyrrha.

“I don’t care.” Salem answered honestly.

“I won’t let you.” Pyrrha stated, raising her Obsidian Akoúo and Ira Red.

“Then die with them.”

Chapter 55: Eclipse

Chapter Text

Ensemble Battle

 

The Relic of Destruction was burning Salem’s flesh away up her arm, but she just kept regenerating the damage as fast as the raw power of the sword was consuming her. She snarled, clearly feeling every single second of the pain it created.

But due to her immortality?

It could not kill her once used, meaning to her it was just a painful weapon to wield, and not a fatal one.

She stared past Pyrrha, who bravely was protecting the very Gods who brought this chaos down upon themselves. She gritted her teeth, eyes glowing red, before swinging the sword with a terrifying scream of fury. Pyrrha shoved them aside and only narrowly dodged the incoming arc of red energy laced with flames. It sliced straight through the dunes, disintegrating the grands of sand into embers and then into nothing at all.

She swung and screamed with agony every single time, but no amount of pain this weapon could inflict on her nerves would come anywhere close to the pain she had suffered her whole life. She slashed once again at Pyrrha, but the Invincible Girl rolled backwards and launched the Obsidian Akoúo into Salem’s face, and it came bouncing back to her hand.

She couldn’t use the shield as efficiently as she used to, since it was made of obsidian and not any kind of Ferrous Material… but it would serve for now. As Pyrrha rolled past Salem, the Dark Queen blasted magic at her, the purple energy launched Pyrrha off the floor and crashing against the rocks.

She groaned and looked at the Gods. “RUN!” She screamed. Salem raised the sword above her head, then turned, watching the Brothers scramble to their feet, fleeing like cowards. She gritted her teeth in anger, tightening her grip on the sword, and blasted away from Pyrrha, directly towards the Gods.

She roared as she went to cleave their heads off, only for Winter to sling herself towards Salem and cut straight through the hand that held the Sword of Destruction. Salem yelled in pain, crashing into the black sand, tumbling past the two Gods. They continued to flee, but Salem reached her hand out and grabbed the God of Light by the horn with her extended arm. “Where do you think you’re going?” She growled, smashing his featureless face into the rocks with significant force.

Suddenly, the God of Darkness erupted into his Dragon Form and opened his jaws, roaring with fury as he flew towards her. Everyone’s eyes widened when they saw the display of power, but Salem just scoffed, and she punched him in the face with all her might, the impact creating a deafening shockwave. He crashed into the ground, groaning as he tried to get back up.

“Your own creations belong to me now, and I have grown far stronger since we last met… Brothers. You are nothing but weak parasites, and I will burn you away from this world. NO ONE ELSE WILL SUFFER UNDER YOUR WATCH!” she bellowed, extending her arm to the Relic of Destruction once the hand regenerated. Winter jumped for it and tried to catch it first, but a red glyph formed and pinned Winter to the ground.

Eryka’s eyes ignited with blue flames, and she snarled with rage, and launched herself into the sky, the clouds darkening above her. She drew her bow back, lining the arrow with lightning and firing it through Salem’s back. The Dark Queen roared to the sky in pain as the electricity coursed through her black veins. Penny flew into the air and she slashed through Salem’s arm, and she grabbed the Relic of Destruction.

She shrieked in agony as she felt her circuits burn as the raw power that was contained within this relic started consuming her. But she fought it back just long enough to throw the sword as far as she could. Salem suddenly grabbed her by the throat, staring into her eyes. “YOU WILL NOT TAKE THIS AWAY FROM ME!” Salem roared, swinging Penny over her shoulder and crashing into the rocks, knocking her unconscious.

The God of Darkness stood tall and held his hand out, blasting a powerful beam of dark magic towards Salem, but she extended her wing from her back and shielded the incoming beam of energy. He floated into the air, his horns growing and glowing bright purple as he hovered, effortlessly lifting massive chunks of rock from beneath the sand. He launched them towards Salem, and she jumped high in the air, firing bolts of red lightning from her hands.

The lightning bolts shattered the rocks instantly, sending a storm of debris crashing down around them. Salem flew towards him and called her enormous twinblade into her hand and slashed at him. The blade barely even harmed the god, but her power was still devastating enough against him to make him lose balance. Unlike her, the Gods never learned how to fight with skill. They relied on their power to win.

But against another God?

One who cannot be killed either?

That advantage was null and void now.

Salem circled the Brother of Darkness above them all, and they both fired beams of magic at each other, and the beams collided at the same time. Red against Purple, burning against one another. Salem forced him back, teeth gritted and eyes glowing red, before she suddenly threw herself towards him and stabbed him in the throat with her twinblade. She smashed him against the ground, turning to see the smoke where the Relic of Destruction landed, constantly melting the sand it landed in from the sheer heat coming from the blade.

She immediately flew towards it, until Eryka tackled Salem out of the air, punching her in the face with all her might. “THAT WAS FOR DULCIS!” Eryka yelled, with tears streaking from her eyes. The two flew high into the sky, Salem punching Eryka in the face in return, but Eryka immediately flew back into Salem.

The two came diving towards the ground like a meteorite breaking the atmosphere, Eryka punching her repeatedly in the face. Salem suddenly caught her fist and swung her downwards towards the sand. Eryka landed and slid backwards across the sand, teeth gritted and blue eyes glowing brightly with Maiden Flames.

Salem slammed down, eyes burning with red fire, swirling clouds of lightning formed behind them, and they both fired a pair of lightning bolts at each other. “THIS IS FOR MY MOM!” Eryka yelled. The two collided, creating a deafening explosion. An enormous lightning bolt formed in the centre, crashing down from the sky, glowing red and encased in ice from Eryka’s new power. Eryka crashed back against the floor, drawing Slice ‘N Dice, whilst Salem shot forward with her blade, slashing directly at Eryka’s head.

She only narrowly missed her, but thanks to her mother’s Aura bonding with hers? Eryka’s aura was stronger than ever, and now she could take more than a few hits before breaking. Salem dragged her sword across the ground, then slashed it across the crystals, throwing purple sparks into Eryka’s face. The sparks caused Eryka to stumble, then Salem threw the twinblade towards her.

It spun like a helicopter rotor blade, but Eryka ducked, nearly falling on her back from how fast she had to do it. Salem jumped at her, but Eryka swiftly jammed Slice ‘N Dice through Salem’s jugular. “THAT WAS FOR NEPTUNE!” Eryka screamed with heartbreak in her voice, Salem’s black blood pouring over her hand and forcing her to her knee.

Salem grabbed the blade and pulled it deeper into her throat, just to smash her head into Eryka’s ripping the blade from her throat, blood pouring down her chest, and showing no reaction to it. “You blame me for the deaths of all those… yet I never slew a single one of them, girl.” Salem chuckled as she walked around the frozen red lightning bolt with Eryka doing the same.

“You twisted Killian into becoming a monster and he killed Dulcis! My mom killed herself to stop you from taking this power from her! And your insane adopted son butchered my brother!” Eryka screamed with fury in her voice. “NOBODY ELSE I LOVE WILL DIE BECAUSE OF YOU!”

She blasted towards Salem, punching her in the face, grabbing onto her hair and dragging her face against the rocks, ripping Salem’s face up in the process. Salem kicked against Eryka’s chest, throwing her aside, calling her twinblade back and driving it into the floor to slow herself down. Black blood oozed from the wounds on her face, her jaw dangling from sinew, and having to reattach it with her hand.

She stood tall, staring ahead at the smoke where her sword had fallen.

Pyrrha got back up and called Ira Red back into her hand and scooped Akoúo into her hand as well, sprinting at Salem, with Winter and Eryka by her side. Eryka flew overhead, slinging a fireball into the side of Salem’s head. Salem grunted and turned to Eryka as she flew back towards her, but Salem caught Eryka by the throat and tossed her against the ground, channelling dark magic into her fist and punching Winter in the chest, sending her flying backwards.

Pyrrha yelled with fury as she jumped into the air and lodged her sword into Salem’s chest, staring directly into her blood-red eyes.

Cinder groaned as she laid against the rocks, her eye barely open as she wheezed. As blood continued to leak from her eyes, she looked across the battlefield whilst Thaddeus fought against everyone else nearby…

… and she saw them all fighting Salem.

Seeing the Gods have landed here.

She closed her eye and remembered.

Flashing memories of her little daughter, who was still out there. Amber’s little smile, and the life of happiness she wanted her to live. Even going back to the moments of her own past… the glass slipper she had murdered her abusive family with and found herself trapped here in yet another prison.

Only through Amber did she truly know what it meant to be free.

And the voice of Raven Branwen appeared in the back of her mind.

The words… that even now… still linger on her mind.

“I better not regret saving you…”

Cinder’s eye opened, filled with fury, staring directly at Salem, igniting. She felt adrenaline rush through her body, and the weakness from her sickness vanished, and she stood tall, forming her Obsidian Axe in her hand.

“… You won’t.” Cinder repeated.

Salem grabbed Pyrrha by the throat and launched her against the rocks, and stamped on the side of her head, pinning her to the ground. “You have been a thorn in my side for far too long.” Salem snarled, calling her twinblade back into her hand to drive it through the Spartan’s head.

Suddenly the Obsidian Axe stabbed into her neck and Salem gasped, stumbling off Pyrrha’s face, turning to see Cinder flying directly at her, and she formed a long Obsidian Spear, running it straight through Salem’s chest.

The spear exploded and blew Salem’s chest open, and Cinder flipped away, helping Pyrrha back up. “I’m not done yet.” Cinder assured, and Pyrrha smiled, nodding at her. Eryka and Winter both landed beside her, ready to continue fighting against the Dark Queen.

But on the other side of the battle, Ruby crawled towards Penny, holding her side as blood leaked out, seeing the Gods still trying to get away from Salem while they still could, and fire rising high into the air where the Relic of Destruction landed. She shook Penny, trying to wake her beloved up. “Penny! Penny, please!” She cried out, but Penny’s eyes flickered and she gasped, grasping her chest.

Ruby looked at her arm, seeing the scorch marks. “Are you okay?” Ruby asked with fear.

“That Relic… really does… sting…” Penny hiccuped. Her voice sounded distorted as she spoke, sparks leaking from her body in places.

“C’mon, I gotta get you safe.”

“RUBY LOOK OUT!” she screamed, shoving her out of the way and rolling aside, just as Weiss was launched across the ground, crashing against the floor.

Ruby stared ahead, and saw Thaddeus dragging his sword, snarling savagely as he stared at Oscar, with Ozpin in control of his body. Thaddeus grinned, aiming the blade of his sword at his former master, eyes glowing bright purple. Ozpin exhaled shakily, holding the Long Memory in both hands.

“I finally see you for what you are, Thaddeus… a monster. One that must be eradicated from Remnant.” Ozpin coldly stated.

Thaddeus suddenly launched into the air, laughing as he came crashing down with his sword, smashing the ground in a fiery explosion. He spun around, leaving a trail of fire and embered smoke in his wake. Ozpin ducked, then slowed time, striking Thaddeus relentlessly, before rolling backwards and casting multiple green glyphs that shot magical projectiles towards the monster. Thaddeus slashed at them, absorbing the magic into his body, and opening his clawed hand, forming purple flames.

He jumped and smashed his hand into the ground, creating huge fiery explosions that Ozpin had to roll to avoid. Oscar swiftly took control of his body again, and he extended Thunderous Deception, wrapping the chains around Thaddeus’ throat. He tightened the grip and yanked him towards him, then drove the Long Memory against the ground, and released his Ancestors.

The Variants of Ozma all leapt towards Thaddeus, relentlessly striking the monster repeatedly. Then they held him down, grabbing onto his arms to keep him pinned. Oscar sprinted towards him, but Thaddeus suddenly roared like a demonic monster, creating an explosion from his chest of purple fire, knocking Oscar away and the sheer darkness destroyed the spectres of Ozma, sending them back inside of Oscar.

Thaddeus dropped to one knee, resting on his shoulder as the purple flames ignited around his chest once again. Weiss stood tall, pointing her sword at the man she once called a friend with horrified eyes. Nora and Ren also joined the fray with Oscar. But his eyes turned to the rising flames of the Relic of Destruction nearby, and he immediately started sprinting towards it.

“Stop him!” Weiss yelled, launching herself off a glyph towards Thaddeus, tackling him down the dunes. The two fell together, but Thaddeus grabbed her by the throat and slammed her against the floor.

“I remember you… the Schnee bitch that Jaune foolishly had feelings for? For this? How pathetic!” Thaddeus laughed, grinning down at her. She kicked him in the chest with both boots, then picked up Myrtenaster, and she shot forward, stabbing him in the heart. “Funny!” He laughed, grabbing her sword and yanking it out with ease, before kicking her in the chest. “Keep wasting your time. You cannot stop me.” Thaddeus snarled.

Weiss closed her eyes and closed her heart to it.

He just looks like Jaune… but it isn’t him… he would never say things like that.

She hardened her glare and stared him down. Thaddeus prepared to attack, only for Nora to suddenly leap overhead and bury her axe into his skull, and throwing him over Weiss. Weiss ducked and the huge monster tumbled across the sand, leaving a trail of black blood behind him. He punched into the sand to catch onto rocks and slow himself down, barely even reacting to the axe lodged in his head. Nora opened her gauntleted hand, using the Gravity Dust cleverly built inside to pull the axe back into her hand.

It spun through the air before landing in her palm once more. Black tar webbed out and pulled his split skull back together. “There it is! Show me more!” Thaddeus laughed.

“SHUT UUUUUP!” Nora screamed, firing a concentrated beam of pink light into his chest. Thaddeus grunted, raising his shield to block the incoming beam, pushing towards her anyway. As she kept firing, she stopped, and Ren jumped off one of Weiss’ glyphs. He flipped across the sky, firing Stormflower down at the monster.

The bullets shredded his pale white skin, splattering his body with black blood, but he fired his shield at him, knocking the Huntsman out of the sky and crashing into the sand. Nora threw Magni towards Thaddeus, but he smashed it away with his shield, sending the humming hammer flying off into the dunes with a boom.

Oscar slid down the dunes, and jumped towards him, smashing the Long Memory against Thaddeus’ face with all his might. Thaddeus fell to one knee, then spun around, firing his shield relentlessly, blowing the area they were standing in apart, and causing the dunes to collapse like an avalanche.

Thaddeus continued to sprint towards the Relic of Destruction, whilst the two gods continued to flee as fast as they could.

But with Salem’s speed?

There was nowhere they could run before she could catch them.

 

Coco

 

The White Fang, Vasillias Cartel and the Summit’s Claim were holding the Grimm off for as long as they could.

But they knew they were fighting a losing battle right now. The Grimm just would not stop coming. You kill one and ten more take their place. Coco yelled with fury as she fired Gianduja relentlessly at the Grimm horde that was sprinting towards them, as they stood upon a pile of rocks and broken crystals. Smoke filled the air, and embers danced across the sky as they continued to battle. Fox launched himself forward, slashing through multiple Beowulves, but was smashed against the wreckage of an armoured truck by a Boarbatusk. The beast roared at him with fury, but Velvet jumped overhead and drove a Hardlight Dust Replica of Fulcrum – Yatsuhashi’s Greatsword – downwards and into its back, splitting the beast in two.

She switched from Fulcrum to Cardin’s Executioner, smashing a Beringel across the face, whilst Fox jumped and jammed Sharp Retribution in its sternum, slicing outwards to cut its head clean from its shoulders. The huge ape crumpled to the floor, and Fox jumped away, standing with what remained of his team, holding the creatures off as they continued to envelop them. Vernal stood upon the rocks with her dual pistols, firing focused beams of dust around her, cleaving the beasts in half. Black blood was splattered across the side of her face, and her teeth with gritted with fury.

She turned, slashing a Sabyr through its open jaws with Wind and Fire, cutting the creature open, before rolling aside as an Abductor emerged from the darkness, throwing fireballs and bolts of red lightning at her. She turned and fired both guns at the creature, killing it instantly before it could erase itself from her memory when she looked away. The creature faded away into a cloud of smoke.

Sashaa sprinted, firing her rifle with pinpoint accuracy at the Grimm, nailing a Beowulf in the eye, then hitting an Ursa in the leg. Which Velvet finished off as she jumped and punched it in the face, mimicking Arslan’s fighting style, killing the bear instantly. Black smoke surrounded her, and she stood with everyone as more Grimm continued to spawn from the Tar Pits.

From the lakes of Tar, more giant beasts were emerging, Megoliaths marched across the dunes, smashing the soldiers in their way with their enormous tusks, Leviathans roared as they blasted beams of fire and lightning from their slender jaws, burning Airships in half as they flew overhead. The burning airships came crashing down and exploding in the dunes, and then more Spinescorchers erupted from the thick layer of tar as well, blasting fire from their jaws and flattening countless soldiers.

Coco’s eyes widened at how bad their odds were. “They just… keep coming…” Velvet stammered.

“Don’t let up! We can beat them!” Coco called out, her voice wavering. But then… the voice of Salem echoed across the landscape, and the words sent shivers down their spines.

“PRAETORIAN KNIGHTS! SLAUGHTER THEM ALL! LEAVE NONE ALIVE!”

Coco looked at Velvet and Fox with fear. They all remembering the power of the Praetorian Knights when Beacon was attacked, and when it fell. One Praetorian Knight took the entire Academy to bring down…

… but all of them?

Sashaa gasped. “LOOK!” She called out, and landing on one of the Airships flying overhead was a Praetorian Knight, driving its sceptre into the cockpit and sending the fighter spiralling out of control.

“Oh, we’re so dead…” Vernal gasped.

Suddenly a Praetorian Knight landed behind them, and swung its sceptre towards Coco, only just missing her face as she ducked. She spun around and smashed Gianduja in its handbag form across its face, forged from floating pieces of armour. The Knight suddenly kicked her in the chest, knocking her backwards. It spiralled its Sceptre through its hand, staring at them with glowing red eyes. “The end… is here.” The Praetorian Knight snarled at them.

The Corrupted Followers of Thaddeus Rex were unleashed, with only eleven of them remaining. The others were sprinting towards the main armies to wipe out the brave soldiers battling against the Grimm together.

Sashaa wasted no time firing her rifle at the Praetorian Knight, but it effortlessly deflected the bullet, then it launched forward in a swirl of metal, and punched Sashaa in the face so hard it sent her flying backwards. The legs of the Knight extended, and the ancient Geist spun around and rested its Sceptre across its arm, firing a beam of red energy towards Coco.

The beam impacted her chest, knocking her off the rocks that she landed on. Fox sprinted at the entity, sliding and slashing Sharp Retribution across the back of its legs. It dropped to one knee then turned, suddenly exploding into a cloud of metal, nothing but smoke on the inside. Fox stumbled through, then the Knight compacted its body once again, stamping on his back, and holding the Sceptre above his head to finish him off.

Vernal jumped overhead, firing Wind and Fire down upon the Geist, aiming for its head. The beams of fire made the Geist snarl with anger, the metal being damaged by the projectiles that she fired. It dashed away from Fox and suddenly lunged towards Velvet. She formed Crescent Rose out of Anesidora, deflecting the incoming swings from the Knight. It struck hard and fast with the long blade, before it spun the weapon through its fingers, charging it up with red energy the whole time, before slamming its fist into the Sceptre.

A powerful blast of red light erupted, which launched Velvet away. The Praetorian Knight walked across the stones, then suddenly darted towards her and grabbed her by the face, smashing her against the wall. “HEY!” Coco yelled, getting the Praetorian Knight’s attention, transforming Gianduja and activating her semblance, amplifying the power of dust. She opened fire on the Knight, blowing one of its arms off before it transformed into a cloud of smoke with a cyclone of armoured metal swirling inside.

It moved similarly to how Ruby did when using her Petal Dash semblance. It suddenly formed back into Knight form, sliding across the sand before throwing the Sceptre at her. Coco gasped, rolling out of the way. Then the Knight called the weapon back, spinning around and smashing the weapon across Fox’s face, knocking him to the ground.

Sashaa jumped and fired her rifle at the Knight, whilst Velvet sprinted around the Knight, but the Praetorian raised its arm to block Vernal’s shot, and its glowing red eyes glared at Sashaa. Sashaa slid across the sand and fired her rifle into the Praetorian’s face, causing it to roar with pain as the bullet hit its weak spot. The Knight stumbled, then glared at the Markswoman, then it suddenly launched towards her, and slashed its Sceptre across her body.

Sashaa screamed in pain, her aura breaking, and before anybody could do anything to save her, it turned and impaled her through the back with its Sceptre. Blood splattered across the ground and she wheezed, leaking from her mouth, and the Praetorian swiftly pulled the blade from her back. “Sashaa!” Vernal screamed, gritting her teeth with hatred.

Sashaa collapsed to the floor in front of them, and the Knight walked around her body, blood leaking from the tip of its Sceptre.

Eyes glowing bright red.

“You’re gonna fucking die for that.” Coco promised with hate in her eyes.

 

Ghira

 

The berserk White Fang Leader roared, slashing his claws through the body of a Beowulf, before turning and digging them into another’s chest, ripping the creature open with all his might. Black blood covered his hands, with smoke trailing his body as he was completely covered in their guts.

He ducked as a Harpy swooped overhead, slashing its talons at his head, but he turned to a dead White Fang soldier on the ground and picked up his spear, throwing it at the Harpy, nailing it in the chest. The creature squawked as it dropped from the sky, then turned as a Boarbatusk charged towards him. He raised his hands and stopped the beast dead in its tracks, staring back at it, and lifted it with ease by its tusks, throwing it into a spike of burning metal from a destroyed gunship.

The creature shrieked before dying from its fatal wound, and Ghira panted as he stepped away from its corpse. Kali sprinted by him and she jumped, stabbing one of her blades into the throat of a Ravager, and it screeched as it struggled to fly above them all. She sliced straight down its neck and body, cutting the creature in half, before flipping through the air and ramming her two blades into the ribs of an Ursa. The beast roared with rage and swung its huge paws at her, but she dropped, ripping her blades from its chest, then slid between its legs and cut across the beast’s heels.

The flesh tore, and it topped onto its chest, only to be finished off by Kali as she drove both her blades into the roof of its skull. The roaring of the Ursa vanished the second the blades entered its head, then she looked around, with thick black tar drooling from the blades. She spun her blades through her fingers, standing beside her husband as more Grimm charged towards them.

Soldiers battled with them at all times, firing their rifles and swinging their melee weapons at everything that tried to cut them down. White Fang and Vasillias Cartel fought side by side against the monsters that were relentlessly charging at them. One soldier smashed his rifle against the face of a Beowulf, then drove his knife into the creature’s temple. They all gasped as a Leviathan erupted from the tar behind them, roaring so loud it nearly deafened them.

But Airships flew overhead, firing rockets into the side of its head, blowing away chunks of armour. The Leviathan roared with fury, and then a volley of shells from a Dreadnaught collided into the beast, sending it crashing down, but luckily not on their own forces. Their ears were ringing from the loud explosions, but none of them broke rank. They all continued to battle the monsters.

Fighting together.

A Vasillias Cartel Mercenary aimed her mini-gun at the Grimm that kept swarming them, shredding them all with the storm of bullets she loosed on them, and her White Fang friend fired his rocket launcher into a Nevermore flying overhead. The explosion tore its wing apart, and the burning beast plummeted to the ground as well.

“Nice shot!” Ilia called out as she sprinted past him and jumped, wrapping Lightning Lash around the throat of a Beowulf and landing behind it, yanking so hard that a horrible crunch erupted from its neck, snapping it with ease. She activated the Lightning Dust reserves in it, slashing through the Creeps that burst from the ground, followed up by a Deathstalker.

The enormous Scorpion snapped its pincers at her, but she just smirked, vanishing. The Deathstalker snarled as it looked around, unable to track the Chameleon Faunus, until suddenly it felt its stinger be sliced clean off. It shrieked with immense agony. Then, as the stinger stabbed into its own head, Ilia flipped through the air, revealing herself, and driving the electrified blade of her weapon into the stinger.

The bulb overcharged, glowing bright gold before exploding and shattering its skull. Chunks of bony armour plating with electricity crackling around it bounced across the floor. She spun Lightning Lash through her fingers.

Suddenly, one of Sienna’s Chain Blades flew right past her eyes. Ilia gasped, eyes bulging from their sockets as time seemed to slow for a few seconds, before it continued and landed in the mouth of a Griffin which landed behind her. The skull of the creature burst within seconds after the blade landed in its gullet. Ilia panted with relief, turning to see Sienna jumping high in the air and wrapping Cerberus’ Whip around the foot of a Ravager and launching it towards the ground with all her might.

She turned and saw the ground explode behind her in an avalanche of Sulphur Fish, all working together as a Hive Mind, screeching together like a giant worm. They all came crashing towards her, but she spun the whip swiftly, and flung ice dust links into the swarm. They detonated and froze the little Grimm Creatures instantly, breaking their Hive Mind structure apart, and then she launched an explosive one into the group, wiping them out in seconds.

She coiled the chain around her arm, looking over her shoulder. Up above the Air Force that they had on their side were battling against the Grimm that swarmed the skies, with Lancers darting around the dark clouds, launching their quills at anything that moved. But as they fought, suddenly a soldier screamed in agony. Sienna turned and so did Ghira, to see the Praetorian Knights had arrived.

They stood upon the dunes, staring down at them all, before they attacked. The soldiers all fired on the Knights as they came sprinting towards them at full speed, but their bullets made very little damage against them, if any at all. The Knights jumped and started massacring them all, slashing through their bodies with ease and impaling them. One drove their Sceptre through the skull of one soldier, then twisted around and flung the corpse of the dead soldier with shocking ease, and blasted three more soldiers with a beam of red light.

Their bodies were sliced apart, pouring blood all over the black sand. Another jumped on the top of a tank and easily ripped the canopy off, firing its sceptre inside and blowing the engine up in a huge fireball. A soldier screamed in terror and fled, only for the Praetorian to jump and break his back, leaving him for the Grimm to slowly eat alive as he screamed. The same Knight spiralled his Sceptre around, deflecting the incoming bullets that came its way.

The Ten Praetorian Knights continued to slaughter their forces with ease. Another jumped into the air, aiming its Sceptre and firing at a gunship hovering overhead, nailing the thruster and blowing it apart. The Gunship spun out of control and came crashing into the ground in a fiery explosion. That Knight slammed down, crushing a soldier without even noticing. Another soldier jumped at the Knight with his hammer, smashing it across the face, only for it to slice his legs off and stamp on his skull within a few seconds.

Ghira stared at the slaughter and slashed his claws together, creating sparks. He watched as the Praetorian Knights carved through his brave warriors.

And it filled him with fury.

One of the Knights lunged towards him and Kali, spinning around as it slid, nearly taking his head off with the blade of its sceptre. He ducked and punched the entity in the face whilst holding his hand out for Kali. She jumped on his hand and he launched her towards the Praetorian Knight and stabbed it in the face. The Knight roared with rage as the blade stabbed straight through the armour, but was not enough to kill it yet. The Knight broke its body apart, forcing Kali to fall onto the floor, then it compacted together once again.

Another Praetorian Knight did the same as it butchered more of their people, and a soldier thrusted towards it with a sword, but it opened its body, then compacted around his wrist. He shrieked in agony as it crushed his hand and cut it off. Blood spewed out, then the Knight skewered him through the mouth.

The Praetorian Knight stared down at Kali with its foot on her face, pushing her head into the sand to suffocate her. Ghira jumped off a burning truck and punched the Praetorian in the face as hard as he could, but then was thrown effortlessly over its shoulder into the wreckage of another truck. It took its foot off her face, then approached Ghira, driving its Sceptre towards his chest.

He gasped and held his hands up, catching the sceptre before it could puncture his throat. It stared back at him with nothing but hate in its glowing eyes. But Kali jumped onto its back, stabbing at its head relentlessly. “GET OFF MY HUSBAND!” she yelled. The Knight reached back with a deep, inhuman snarl and threw her across the battlefield with ease.

As she tumbled past, Ilia and Sienna battled together against a Praetorian Knight as well, slashing at the entity repeatedly with their weaponry. Sienna launched an Explosive Chain Link from Cerberus’ Whip, but it caught the blade in its hand and crushed it, not even recoiling from the explosion in its hand. Ilia jumped and wrapped her whip around the Knight’s head and yanked it backwards.

The way its back bent backwards, it should have broken the spine of a physical creature, but this was a Geist. It turned its head around, snarling sinisterly, and the metal shifted to allow the Knight to face her now.

Suddenly, its hand grabbed her by the throat and it was already prepared to skewer her with its sceptre. But Sienna launched multiple ice blades into its back. The ice fused the body together, allowing her to throw an explosive blade into the Knight’s head. The detonated shattered part of its head. Black smoke came pouring out, and it snarled with anger, glaring at her. It extended its Sceptre and arm, swinging it around in a full three hundred and sixty degree spin, smashing it into both of their faces, throwing them aside.

But…

… then they all stopped.

It was like they all just paused in time, and lowered their bloodied Sceptres, and they just slowly looked to the sky…

… and everything…

… went dark.

 

Ensemble Battle

 

Salem unleashed a nightmarish roar as her body reconstructed itself, and she snapped herself upright again, and suddenly blasted fire from her jaws. Her eyes glowed bright red, and she sprouted a long reptilian tail from her abdomen, spinning around and knocking them all to the ground.

She took off and flew away from them all, and went directly towards the Relic of Destruction. As she flew across the dunes, both Cinder and Eryka flew after her, and down below, Thaddeus was sprinting across the dunes towards the same weapon. And down below were the fleeing gods, unable to leave Remnant until either Salem was killed or they die. She suddenly landed and grabbed the Relic of Destruction, swinging it towards the God of Light who fell to the floor, panicking as he crawled backwards from her.

She buried the blade into the ground so hard that the explosion melted the sand into obsidian instantly. She gritted her teeth with rage, but Cinder slammed herself against Salem so hard that the Dark Queen tumbled across the floor. Eryka also launched herself towards Salem, firing her bow from above, and the explosive arrows shattered her leg into black blood. She snarled with anger and Cinder drove her axe into Salem’s neck and pulled the handle against her throat, forcing her back.

“Go!” Cinder yelled at the Gods, who both continued to flee. But the Brother of Darkness growled as he wanted to fight as well. “GO!” Cinder yelled again, just wanting to keep them all away from Salem.

Eryka swiftly dove for the Relic of Destruction, fully knowing that using it would kill her, but just as she reached for it, Salem blasted a beam of magic into her, which knocked her across the floor. Cinder looked around and she launched Salem away with her Maiden Powers, throwing her extremely far. The Fall Maiden wheezed, grabbing at her chest, but she forced it down as best as she could.

As Cinder stood tall, holding her Obsidian Axe tight, she turned to see Thaddeus sprinting towards the sword. She immediately threw her sword into his chest, sending him tumbling back down the dunes. Salem erupted through the one in front of her and punched Cinder through another dune. She looked around for the gods to see them running back towards the Beam that was shooting into the moon above.

She picked up the Relic of Destruction without hesitation and flew after her. But just as she was getting closer, a blinding white light knocked her out of the sky and caused her to crash to the floor. Her arm, which held the sword, turned to stone and broke off, still gripping the blade.

Salem snarled, as half of her body had also been turned to stone, but her black blood was forming a new arm to break through the stone. Ruby’s eyes stopped glowing white after nailing that excellent shot with her eyes, but she still held her side, being helped but by Penny. “Ruby… one of us needs to use the Relic against Salem… but… you know what that means…”

“One of us has to die to stop her…”

Salem’s arm erupted from the stump of stone, and she stared at the Relic of Destruction, whose heat was melting the stone arm to lava where it sat, and melting the sand around its blade.

She held her side as the stone cracked and faded away.

Everyone caught up…

… but they all felt an unnatural chill on the back of their necks. Salem stared at the sky, and she smirked sinisterly.

Every single Grimm…

… stared at the sky…

… at the Moon.

They all looked up, and all they felt… was fear.

The beam continued to fire into the moon, latching the chunks of the broken satellite together, and finally… after all these years… the time had finally come.

The sun’s rays slowly faded away, and the Moon…

… had become whole.

Forming the Eclipse.

Everything turned dark, and the eyes and red glow of the Grimm faded away as well, turning them all jet black. The Praetorian Knights hummed softly as the Eclipse hung above with a golden ring around the darkness. Soldiers opened fire on the Grimm, but the bullets did nothing to them, they did not even flinch.

With the Eclipse formed… the Grimm were now unstoppable.

And worse… they were even stronger.

The Praetorian Knights all stared at each other, and their bodies quietly broke apart, and the black smoke of all eleven Knights came together in the centre of the Battlefield. Coco crouched beside Sashaa’s lifeless body, staring as the Praetorian Knight who killed her joined the others.

Then… every single Grimm that was stood here also crumbled away, and their ashes joined the Praetorian Knights.

And from the massive ball of darkness forming in the centre of the battlefield, the God of Light looked back, and despite having no face… his fear was real.

A massive monster emerged from the darkness, a Grimm Mockery of the Dragon that the Brother of Light truly took the form of. It roared to the Eclipse in the sky, spreading its black wings across the battlefield, its body coiling above Evernight.

And from the Tar Pits?

Even more Grimm.

All of them invincible.

They were out of time…

Chapter 56: Shadow of Destiny

Chapter Text

Amber

 

She looked out across the Sanctum, staring at the Eclipse in the sky.

Her eyes reflected the chilling sight, a day that nobody ever believed would come, yet there it was. “By the gods, we need to keep moving. Come on, Amber.” Mercury stated as he started walking ahead, but he looked back at Amber with Emerald beside him.

“Amber! We can’t stay here!” Emerald called out.

“Running won’t change anything now… the Grimm are unkillable… running away won’t give us better odds.” Amber stated, for someone as young as her she spoke like an adult would.

“We promised Cinder we’d keep you safe.” Emerald stated as she walked up to the girl.

“I know you did… but I can’t leave… my mom is down there… I am not leaving her.” She stated as she went to walk back down the mountain they just climbed, but Mercury grabbed her wrist and pulled her back.

“Are you insane? You can’t fight, and you’re a kid. You won’t stand a chance down there.” Mercury stated.

“I know! But I am not leaving my mom!” Amber argued.

 

The Final Battle

 

The legends were true, the Grimm truly were unstoppable now. The soldiers fired everything they had at the beasts, and their bullets tore into the flesh of Beowulves and Sabyrs, some of the weakest of all Grimm… yet the ammunition did very little to sway them. The wounds regenerated instantaneously, just like Salem’s curse did for her. They fired constantly, but the beasts sprinted towards them and tore them apart, splattering blood across the ground.

Ghira punched a Beowulf across the jaw then dug his claws into its throat, ripping the neck open, only for such a lethal wound to be recovered in a manner of moments. His eyes widened as the Beowulf snapped its jaws at him, and he tossed it aside.

“GHIRA!” Kali shrieked, jumping to him and they both tumbled out of the way, just as the Praetorian Dragon swooped overhead, dragging its claws and tail across the black sand. The God of Light stared at the monster with horror, seeing how they formed into some sort of abomination that mocked the very form he truly had. The long serpent-like dragon, but instead of golden scales, it was jet black, with glowing red eyes.

And the monster was enormous, blasting a devastating beam of red energy from its jaws, wiping out legions of their brave soldiers in seconds, leaving nothing but ashes behind. It swung its enormous wings as hard as it could; the downdraft forming sandstorms beneath it as it flew high into the sky. It blocked out the Eclipse above, then it immediately lunged towards one of the Dreadnaughts.

It clamped its huge muscular jaws onto the bridge, flames erupted inside of its mouth as it shook it like a chew toy, spitting the burning remnants out. Blake watched in fear from the Dreadnaught that she and Yang were aboard, alongside Dutch, who stared back at the monster. Its glowing red eyes glared at them, and it snarled viciously, before roaring as it channelled another beam of red energy up its throat and into its mouth.

Until suddenly, a massive beam of purple energy erupted from the side of the monster. The Praetorian Dragon turned and roared with fury as the God of Darkness in his Dragon Form flew directly at the monster, biting into the side of the creature’s head. The two tangled in the sky, the long tail swiping through the dunes and leaving massive chasms in its wake.

This battle had become something far more insane than anything they could have imagined.

Now they were facing a Grimm of impossible scale, something that, by the looks of it, only a God could have the power to put down. The fact that it was the God of Darkness fighting the monster instead of the God of Light truly said a lot about the supposed better of the two Gods. The God of Darkness dug his claws into the flesh of the giant and blasted dark purple flames into the scales and chunks of metal that were pulled in from the battle to form armour. The Praetorian Dragon roared with fury and bit back at its own creature, and coiled its body around his body.

The God of Darkness suddenly exploded into a vast array of purple and black fire, which launched the Praetorian Dragon high into the atmosphere. The God of Darkness swiftly pursued, and they continued their battle nearly in the stratosphere. With the clouds far below them, and only the blood red Eclipse behind them, fire shot out from them both. The Praetorian Dragon was terrifyingly fast and erratic for its size, especially when in the sky, vanishing into the clouds.

The God of Darkness swung his wings as he looked around, snarling and chattering his teeth, and dark purple lava leaked like saliva. Suddenly a red glow formed beneath him, and the Praetorian Dragon erupted from beneath him, burning a beam of red energy across the God’s body, and immediately biting into his throat, carrying him across the sky and throwing him ahead.

The God spread his wings and held out his hand, forming an enormous sword of purple energy and swung it towards the Praetorian Dragon as it launched towards him. The blade cut across the body of the creature, and it was quite the deadly blow, but with the Eclipse the wound was healed immediately, anyway. The God of Darkness snarled, then flew high above the Praetorian Dragon, before diving towards the beast and grabbing it by the throat with his claws.

Fire burned around the two as they made re-entry and came crashing down into the ocean nearby Evernight. The explosion caused an enormous earthquake that sent devastating tsunamis towards the battlefield. Down below on the battlefield as the two giants clashed in the sea, everyone knew it was suicide to stay here as the water came crashing into the land. The water flooded into the dunes, washing the wreckages away. “Everyone retreat!” Ghira ordered, and Airships flew in to extract the brave soldiers from what remained of Evernight.

Salem watched as the Praetorian Dragon and the Brother of Darkness battled nearby, then she turned to see the Brother of Light still attempting to flee. She snarled and turned to the Relic of Destruction and reached for it, only for Ruby to launch herself towards her and slice straight through her hand as the Queen’s arm extended. Salem snarled as she saw her arm fall, and Ruby tumbled across the sand. Suddenly, massive waves of water crashed through the dunes and swept Ruby away from the sword.

But as the water approached the sword, the water evaporated the second it got close, ironically leaving it completely untouched, the water moving around it like a rock. Salem extended her wings and flew high in the air, and blasted lightning from her palms towards Ruby as she jumped from the water in a burst of petals, firing Black Thorn at Salem. The Dark Queen raised her wing and blocked her bullets, before launching towards her once more.

Penny flew upwards and slashed Floating Array upwards across Salem’s chest, then Cinder flew into Salem and buried her axe into her chest, sending her crashing into the rocks. As she got up, Pyrrha vaulted over the rocks in front of her and kicked Salem in the chest, throwing her Obsidian Akoúo into Salem’s face. Salem grunted and stumbled backwards, and she caught the shield as it bounced back in her direction. Pyrrha jumped and spun through the air, slicing down Salem’s chest.

Pyrrha raised Akoúo fast and blocked a fireball thrown from Salem. The explosion’s shockwave threw her against the rocks, and Salem stood tall. “GET AWAY FROM HER!” Nora suddenly yelled, launching Stormur Skeggox directly into Salem’s chest, and she sprinted towards the Dark Queen. Salem gritted her teeth and turned to her, catching Nora as he jumped towards her by the throat.

Salem threw Nora against the ground, but as she ripped the axe from her chest and kicked Nora onto her back, she went to bury the blade into Nora’s stomach. But Nora swiftly launched Magni into Salem’s face the second she landed on her back, and caught Stormur Skeggox as Salem dropped it, and swung it into the side of Salem’s head. She grunted in pain, falling to one knee as Nora charged it with electricity, making Salem scream with agony and fury, eyes glowing bright red as she glared back at the Valkyrie.

Salem screamed with fury as she glared at Nora, unable to move with the electricity coursing through her body, until Thaddeus suddenly tackled Nora to the ground. Nora yelped in pain as the back of her head cracked against the rocks, and Thaddeus stamped on her chest before raising his sword above his head, but Ren swung in and wrapped his grappling hooks around his throat and pulled him away from her, and allowed Eryka to fly towards him and punch Thaddeus in the jaw, sending him tumbling into the waves that surged beneath the dunes they were stood upon, washing the wreckages and some Grimm towards the sea.

Salem growled as she turned to the Relic of Destruction, parting the water, creating a constant cloud of steam around it. She launched herself towards it, smashing Eryka out of the way as she flew towards her, causing her to crash into the dunes. She swiftly grabbed the sword and tore it from the sand, and she was not even reacting to the pain of it burning her flesh and nerves anymore.

She had become numb to the sensation.

She flew across the flooding battlefield as the brave soldiers retreated in airships and vehicles, water crashing against the crystals and bringing them crashing down into the ground with enormous lumps of sand and metal thrown high in the air. Thaddeus also sprinted with her across the dunes beneath, and the Brother of Light turned around in fear, and swiftly blasted his Silver Eyes at her, but she raised her wing, letting it freeze to stone and take the hit, before smashing it into his face so hard that the wing exploded.

The God was thrown against the crystals by the impact, and she slashed the sword towards him, but he rolled out of the way, and threw a bolt of golden lightning into her chest. The crackling yellow forks of light stabbed and burned against her flesh, making it sizzle. But she stared back at him with hatred as the faceless man attempted to retreat. Thaddeus suddenly leapt towards him and drove his sword into the chest of the Brother of Light, holding him in place.

The God of Light roared with fury and went to wave his hand at the unnatural entity, only for Salem to suddenly jump at him from behind with the sword. He turned and gasped as she got closer and closer, until Ozpin and the many Variants of Ozma all jumped and tackled her to the ground, pinning Salem down. Oscar jumped and wrapped the chains of Thunderous Deception around Thaddeus’ throat and yanked him away from the Brother of Light.

“RUN!” Oscar yelled.

Salem roared with fury, creating an explosion of fire that disintegrated the echoes of Ozma from existence, staring at the Brother of Light as he continued to flee, forming a pair of Angelic Wings to speed up his escape. Salem relentlessly pursued to kill him, but a spray of machine-gun bullets knocked her out of the sky. She looked ahead to see Coco firing Gianduja at Salem, shredding chunks of white flesh from her body, powering her dust rounds up with her semblance.

Velvet jumped onto the rocks and aimed Oobleck’s weapon at her, launching a massive fireball towards Salem which hit her in the face and knocked her back towards Oscar, who smashed the Long Memory across her jaw. Salem spun around from the hit and grabbed Oscar by the throat, eyes glowing red and teeth gritted. She pinned him against the wall and pointed the blade of the Relic of Destruction against his chest. “Time for your insolence to end, Ozma.” She snarled.

She pushed the sword towards his chest, only for Ruby to throw herself into Salem’s side, ramming both Scythes into her shoulder and cutting straight through the bone, slicing her entire arm off. The sword melted the arm and Salem growled from the pain, glaring at Ruby as the black tar poured out, sprouting a brand new arm. The arm snapped into position as she stared at the Silver Eyed Huntress, but then they both turned, as the God of Darkness came flying towards them.

He crashed through the dunes, smashing the landscape apart underneath his enormous body, digging his claws through the dunes. He snarled as he stared back at the Praetorian Dragon in the sea, roaring back at him, eyes glowing bright red. Salem stared at the Brother of Darkness and she blasted a beam of fire from her hand into his eye, and the God turned, swinging his tail into her extremely hard.

“LOOK OUT!” Penny screamed as she flew to Ruby and grabbed her, pulling her away from the ground. Everyone ran as the Praetorian Dragon suddenly launched towards the Brother, shattering the land as they made impact. Pyrrha flew through the air and Cinder caught her, yelling as she hauled her across the sky. Whilst Team C.P.P.R flew around the two Dragons battling, Eryka, Winter and Weiss helped guide everyone to safety, with Eryka’s powers and the Schnee Semblance carrying them all away.

The Praetorian Dragon blasted another beam of red energy into the Brother of Darkness, smashing him against one of the towering purple crystals, shattering it and sending it crashing down. Ruby held onto Penny as they flew, then she turned to Cinder. “Where’s the Sword?” She called over the deafening roar of the Dragon, making their ears ring. Pyrrha looked around and gasped, seeing a chunk of land crashing into the back of the Praetorian Kaiju, with the Relic imbedded into it.

“There! It’s on the Dragon’s back!” Pyrrha yelled, pointing at it. Salem watched as the four flew to the weapon and she gritted her teeth, forming wings and flying after them. The Praetorian Dragon roared as it slashed its claws at the Brother of Darkness, only for the God to suddenly fly forwards and smash his head into the chest of the beast, knocking it backwards.

As the Praetorian Dragon recoiled backwards, the God stood on his hind legs and roared with fury, grabbing onto the creature’s head and smashing it into the ground with all his might. He immediately blasted a cloud of purple flames into the face of the beast, setting its black beard and hair aflame. The Dragon roared with fury and pain, slashing at the ground with its claws to get back up.

But once the flames stopped, Thaddeus sprinted at the titan and jumped onto the side of its head, ramming his sword into the Praetorian’s flesh and using it like a climbing pick. He climbed swiftly, jumping higher and higher across the body, using the huge spines and plates to speed his ascent.

Nora looked up at the two Dragons as they battled, knowing that they needed to get out of here before they were crushed. “We need a pickup! Now!” Nora ordered.

“Copy that! On our way!” Joanna replied, and Nora turned to see a pair of Bullheads arriving with the Happy Huntresses and Marrow inside to pick them up. They got aboard and started circling the two giants.

“This is frickin’ insane!” Marrow screamed with disbelief at what he was watching as the Praetorian Dragon recoiled away from the God of Darkness, spreading its blood red wings behind it.

“Would be a lot easier if the God of Light actually helped us!” Weiss yelled over the roaring.

“Where is he?” Fiona asked.

“Dunno! He’s probably hiding in a hole or something.” Oscar answered with a scoff. They turned to see Team C.F.V and Vernal be picked up with the surviving soldiers down there.

“If you told me that the damn God of Darkness would be the one helping us right now, I never would have believed you.” May scoffed, shaking her head.

Back at the Dragon, Team C.P.P.R landed on its back, tumbling across it, but holding on was half the battle, having to lodge their weapons into the scales to stop themselves from falling to their deaths. And to not be sick from how erratically this monster was moving. “Gods…” Ruby stammered as she felt herself get light-headed.

“Well, one of them is right there!” Cinder pointed out.

“Yeah, that expression is literal now.” Ruby chuckled, then she looked ahead, seeing the Relic of Destruction still lodged in the rock that was thrown when the two Dragons collided. That shockwave was so powerful it left a crater where they were standing, which was now filling with the sea water from that Tsunami.

“There! The Relic!” Ruby called out.

“Who the hell is gonna be the one to use it?” Cinder called out as she held onto one of the spines, though nobody answered.

None of them wanted to die…

… but someone was going to have to die if they were going to kill Salem.

They advanced as carefully as they could, climbing across the Praetorian Dragon’s back as it continued to battle against the God of Darkness. Pyrrha looked up and gasped as she saw the Brother fly high above them and start blasting flames of destruction upon the creature, and punching it in the head, yanking its head down towards the ground as hard as he could. The skull of the beast smashed against the sand and rocks.

It snarled as it coiled it’s body and launched itself upwards towards the God, biting him in the face. As the Dragon roared in pain, Pyrrha saw the glowing purple eye of the God of Darkness stare directly at her, and actually widen. He suddenly ripped himself free from the teeth of the beast and flew away. “He saw me…” Pyrrha said.

“Huh?” Penny called back to her.

“The Brother of Darkness! He saw me… I think he’s gonna try to make it a bit easier for us now!” Pyrrha yelled louder.

“You mean he’s gonna cool it with the hits? Can he take the punishment he’s gonna receive by doing that?” Cinder asked.

“He’s a God! So long as it isn’t the Relic of Destruction, he can fight for eternity!” Pyrrha pointed out. The Brother of Darkness flew ahead of them and suddenly dug his claws into the mountains and blasted fire towards the Praetorian Dragon. The beast suddenly flew upwards and its long serpentine body shot upwards into the clouds. They climbed the scales like they were climbing a mountain.

“That fucking Relic better not fall now…” Cinder growled as she kept her eyes on the crumbling rock it was stuck in. As they kept climbing, the Praetorian Dragon suddenly started diving back down through the clouds, nearly causing them all to fall.

“WHOOAAA!” Ruby screamed as she held on tight with Black Thorn, feeling the blades cutting through the flesh and making her slide away.

The Brother of Darkness suddenly appeared and smashed his tail downwards into the head of the Dragon, sending the creature crashing through the mountains. The sudden stop threw the team forward and got a bit closer to the Relic and still having to stab their weapons into its body. “You all okay?” Pyrrha trembled.

“I’m… gonna puke…” Ruby winced.

“THAT’S WHAT THE GOD OF DARKNESS CALLS TAKING IT EASY ON US?” Cinder yelled.

Pyrrha rubbed her head in pain, then saw the God of Darkness fly towards the head of the Praetorian and slammed his clawed legs down upon its body and bit down against its skull, pinning the beast against the mountains. As Pyrrha stood up, she felt that chill in the back of her mind again.

“GO! WHILE IT’S STILL!” The God of Darkness demanded.

“Now! He’s holding it down for us!” Pyrrha called out to them all. They all got up and sprinted across its back towards the Relic of Destruction. They got closer and closer until Thaddeus suddenly jumped over the Relic and stared at them with a grin.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Thaddeus snarled. Then they heard the thrum of Salem flying overhead, and she suddenly came crashing down on the spine of the Dragon, calling her Twinblade back. She spun it through her fingers, standing beside her enslaved Knight. Team C.P.P.R sprinted towards the two foes and Salem launched her Twinblade towards them, spinning through the air and narrowly missing them as they slid across the ground. Ruby jumped and sliced across Salem’s cheek, black blood spraying out, but Salem kicked her in the chest, knocking her against the ground.

Cinder suddenly launched herself towards Salem and tackled her to the ground, the two tumbling across the body of the Dragon. Cinder stood atop Salem and drove a spear through her shoulder, pinning her there, and she rushed towards the Relic of Destruction without hesitation, only for Thaddeus to slash her up in the back with his sword. She screamed in pain and her amber aura flickered, and her eye glowed with fury, fire bursting from her iris. She spun around and blasted fire into his face whilst Pyrrha jumped onto his back and drove Ira Red into his back, pulling him away.

Cinder was just within reach, until the Praetorian Dragon suddenly smashed its head upwards into the Brother of Darkness and launched him away, before taking off suddenly. The Praetorian Dragon soared across the sky, banking around and driving its claws into the Brother’s back, carrying him high into the air, before swinging downwards and smashing the Brother into one of the Spires of Crystal. The Brother howled in agony, grabbing at the crystal that protruded through his chest.

The Praetorian Dragon landed, snarling as it channelled fire up its throat to bring down the hellfire into the God’s face, and it did. The Brother roared in agony as the Praetorian tormented him whilst impaled on the spike of Purple Crystal.

In the distance, the Brother of Light kept fleeing, only to stop at long last at hearing his Brother in pain.

He stood there and slowly turned around to see the Praetorian Dragon tormenting him. He stared at the monster and clenched his glowing gold hand into a fist as the sun shone past the moon and through the clouds.

Cinder rushed to the Relic and Salem ripped the Spear from her shoulder and extended her arm, grabbing Cinder by the back of her head and pulling her away from the Relic and tossing her into one spine of the creature. She tumbled across the ground and Salem called her Twinblade back as she walked towards her.

“I have had enough of you always standing in the way of me and my vengeance!” Salem yelled, raising the blade above her head. Until suddenly a pink grenade exploded against her chest, knocking her backwards, and a spray of bullets carved chunks of flesh off Thaddeus. He grunted and tumbled away from Pyrrha, having to drive his sword into the flesh of the creature.

“We got your back!” Coco called out, firing her Gianduja down at Salem.

“EYES ON US, UGLY!” Nora yelled as well, shooting her Grenade Launcher relentlessly at them. Salem tumbled back and stared at the two Bullheads, and suddenly launched her Twinblade towards them, and it arced around and sliced clean through the wings of them both. Fire erupted from the wing as they spun out of control.

“SHIT! NO! WE’RE GOING DOWN!” Coco screamed as the two ships came crashing towards the dunes beneath them.

“NO!” Pyrrha and Ruby screamed, both staring at the Relic of Destruction. But suddenly the Praetorian Dragon bellowed in pain as a blast of black lightning shot through the top of its head and knocked it away from the Brother of Darkness. He snarled with rage and suddenly transformed into a ball of purple light, the titanic creature vanishing in an instant.

Salem stood tall, and she pointed her finger at Team C.P.P.R.

“MY KNIGHTS! BURN THEM TO ASH!” she commanded, and the Praetorian Dragon turned its gaze, turning all the way around to stare at Team C.P.P.R on its back. It growled deeply and charged another beam of red energy into its jaws. Penny and Ruby hugged each other and closed their eyes as it blasted the beam at them, waiting for the end.

Until nothing hit.

They opened their eyes and gasped to see the Brother of Darkness now in his humanoid form, his wings still extended to shield them from the incoming beam of destructive power. Protecting them… him… of the two Gods it was him…

But then the rock that held the Relic of Destruction crumbled, and sent the weapon bouncing down the creature, and Salem held out her hand, catching it as she stood in the shielded position the God created with his body, growling as he took the hit.

“Finally…” Salem said as she stared at the God, helpless to defend himself from her. But Team C.P.P.R stood in front of the Brother of Darkness, knowing that they were just as helpless.

“Please… don’t do this.” Ruby begged.

“We’re done talking.” Salem snarled, aiming the blade with both hands at the five of them, and about to attack.

Until they all felt the warmth of the sun shine upon their cheeks. Salem’s eyes widened when she realised and turned to the sky as the clouds parted. “No…” she gasped. Team C.P.P.R turned at the same time and gasped with disbelief, as the Brother of Light in his Draconic Form seemed to descend from the light bleeding through from the Eclipse, snarling with golden lightning crackling around him.

The Brother of Light suddenly launched himself towards the Praetorian Dragon, jaws wide open and eyes shining brightly, and before the Praetorian Hybrid could even react, he clamped his jaws down against the creature’s skull. The impact launched them all from the Praetorian Dragon as it struggled, throwing them all towards the ground, Thaddeus falling helplessly whilst Salem fell towards the rocks.

The Brother of Light’s eyes shone brighter and brighter, then the light was so bright that it nearly blinded everyone, and turned the Praetorian Dragon to stone, alongside every single Grimm currently spawned from the Lakes of Tar.

Cinder caught Pyrrha and Penny caught Ruby to slow their descent, and the two rolled across the sand as they land, whilst Thaddeus hit the ground so badly that his body was mangled from the impact. Ruby looked ahead to see the Relic of Destruction fall blade first into the sand in the middle, and Salem crashed against the side of the mountain, before landing on the sand with a grunt.

Ruby stared ahead at the Relic of Destruction and rushed towards it, only for her to have to duck as the Brother of Light lunged directly for Salem, but Salem rolled forward and grabbed the Sword, and swung it across Light’s chest, so hard it sent him back into his Humanoid form, and left a deep glowing gold slice across his torso. Liquid light trickled from him and he groaned from the pain, holding his chest as he stumbled away.

“Brother! NO!” The Brother of Light screamed as the Brother of Darkness flew at her as well. She turned with hatred in her eyes and swung downwards, carving his curved Horn from his head. The God bellowed in pain as he crashed into the ground, also now in his Humanoid form.

The glowing purple Horn forged from pure Darkness fell into the sand.

The Brother of Darkness desperately crawled away from Salem as purple blood seeped from his head, his hand pressed against it. Salem dragged the Relic of Destruction behind her, staring at him.

Pyrrha turned and saw the Relic of Creation right next to them as well. With how manic the ride on the Dragon was, she never realised they just landed right back where they started. Salem raised the sword to cut him down, only for Ruby to shoot at her relentlessly, and jumping with Black Thorn, but having to burst into petals just as Salem swung at her. She slid across the ground and cut across the back of Salem’s legs, then shot her in the hand, making Salem drop the weapon onto the ground.

Salem suddenly kicked Ruby in the face, reaching down for the Relic, until Pyrrha launched Ira Red into Salem’s chest, and yanked her away from the Relic with her Polarity, jumping and wrapping her legs around Salem’s neck, throwing her body weight towards the ground, throwing Salem ahead of them.

Salem dragged her claws into the ground as she stared back at Pyrrha who sprinted towards her and launched Akoúo at her, but Salem caught the obsidian shield and crushed it into dust with effortless ease, then punched Pyrrha in the face, and slashed across her chest with her razor-sharp claws. Salem suddenly grabbed Pyrrha by her ponytail and threw her into the rocks with ease.

Cinder launched herself towards Salem and swung her axe relentlessly at her, constantly trying to cut her head from her shoulders. But as Cinder brought the axe down towards Salem’s skull after missing every swing from Salem’s swift dodges, Salem caught the axe in her hand and ripped it from her hand and smashed it into Cinder’s chest. The impact shattered what remained of her aura. Then Salem drove her clawed hand into Cinder’s gut.

“CINDER!” Penny screamed, roaring with fury as she suddenly blasted everything she had into Salem’s chest. The Dark Queen grunted as Penny focused the beam from her chest into Salem’s, forcing her across the ground. Penny then stopped and dove, ducking under the fireball that Salem just launched at her, and slashed Floating Array up Salem’s chest, then flew up into the air and slammed both fists towards her.

Salem caught her fists, and the two glared at each other, blasting the sand away from beneath their feet as they held their ground. Salem suddenly twisted the odds and smashed Penny into the ground and threw her ahead of herself.

Cinder coughed up blood. Not just from her sickness anymore. Her hand pressed against the stab wound in her chest. She looked up at Salem, seeing the two Gods in a corner together as she approached the Relic of Destruction. She then hardened herself and turned to Penny.

Penny looked at Cinder… and all Cinder did… was nod.

A look of realisation hit Penny, and she nodded back.

“P-Please…” The Brother of Light whimpered, his hand held up as she scooped the Relic of Destruction into her hand. She gripped it tight and did not react at all to the primordial destructive energy coursing through her body anymore as it burned the flesh away.

“Begging?” Salem laughed, shaking her head. “Where was any of your mercy when I begged for your aid? You showed me none… and neither will I.” Salem snarled, raising the sword, until Penny suddenly launched forward and punched Salem’s hand and held onto her hands, staring at her. Salem gritted her teeth with rage and slashed the sword across Penny, sending her body flying back.

“PENNY!” Ruby shrieked as Cinder walked forward.

Cinder held the sword in her hands, pointing it at the two gods. “You knew what I was from the very beginning… but you never had the stomach to do what is necessary. Now you will face the consequences for what you did to me.” Salem snarled, raising the sword high, and swinging it towards their necks.

And it snapped.

Her eyes widened as the sword crumbled into Grave Dust in her hands and did nothing to the Brothers Grimm. Then she turned, wide eyed… to see Cinder Fall, picking the Relic of Destruction up. She gasped and her eye widened as the Primordial Energy burned through her skin, flesh and nerves, smoke trailing from her left arm, and travelling up her neck and into her blinded eye, burning the eyepatch away and some of her hair.

Ruby, Penny and Pyrrha watched with disbelief at Cinder Fall, the one who said she would never give her life for the world… do exactly that.

Tears welled in Pyrrha’s eyes as she watched, and Salem stared back at Cinder, stood in front of the Relic of Creation.

Cinder smiled affectionately as a tear trickled from her healthy eye, still ignited with her Fall Maiden Power.

“And I…” she wheezed, her voice becoming fainter.

“… believe…”

She stared at Salem as blood leaked from her eye.

“… in Destiny.”

Cinder let out one final roar of defiance, and swung the sword, sending forward an arc of fiery destructive energy. Salem jolted, her eyes blinking, and behind her the arc cleaved the Relic of Creation in half. The glowing blue beam that shot upwards into the sky suddenly cut off and the Moon broke apart, the repair process incomplete, and shattering once more.

The sunlight shone upon Evernight, and the eyes of the Grimm started to glow again as they looked around. From the wreckage of the Bullhead, Nora looked up with wide eyes as everyone survived with her, and saw the beam disappear.

“… they did it.”

Salem stood still, and she looked down, groaning as she saw the wound. Her pale skin returned to shade it once was, her white hair returned to their blonde colours, and her eyes turned blue once more. And red blood leaked from the wound, and she stumbled backwards towards the two remaining Relics that hovered in place.

Cinder stumbled backwards as well, collapsing to the ground, smoke trailing from her body as she wheezed. Pyrrha, Ruby and Penny crouched down in front of Cinder, holding her hand. “Cinder? Cinder…”

She couldn’t say anything. Her eye was so distant, it was a miracle that she was still breathing. Her breath was so faint, and her heartbeat even fainter. “You did it…” Ruby sobbed, and a small smile formed on Cinder’s face. Then they turned to see Oscar stood on the hill.

They could not see them all… but all the Variants of Ozma were watching, their heads bowed as Salem was nearing her end. The Brothers Grimm stood near Salem, holding their wounds as they looked at her.

Nora, Ren, Winter, Weiss, C.F.V, Vernal, Joanna, May, Fiona and Marrow walked up the dune as well. They turned and saw the Grimm, they all looked lost, before fleeing from the scene. But strangely… the Tar Pits… a strange glowing purple crystalline structure was forming over them.

But none of them cared about that.

Especially when they saw Emerald and Mercury on the dune, and Amber slid down it. “Mom? MOM!” Amber cried out as she ran to where the three were. Ruby closed her eyes with grief and kissed Cinder’s forehead. Pyrrha pressed her head against Cinder’s.

“Thank you… for everything…” Pyrrha said to her, before walking away as well. Amber stood behind them, tears in her eyes. Vernal walked over as well, with Weiss looking at them as well. She wiped tears of her own from her eyes, and Vernal crouched down in front of Cinder with Amber looking at her mother.

“Mom?” Amber whimpered, fighting back the tears.

“Hey… sweetpea…” Cinder softly said, with a loving smile on her face. Amber looked back at Salem, who was looking at Cinder… and even she seemed to show some grief of her own for Cinder’s sacrifice.

“You did it, Mom… you’re a hero… they all know it… the whole world knows it. You saved the world…” Amber struggled, feeling the pain in her chest as she looked at her mother’s life begin to fade. “But it’s okay… it’s okay to go now… you don’t have to fight anymore. I’ll be okay… I will be… for you. I promise. I’ll be good and I’ll do everything to make you proud.” Amber sobbed.

“I love you, mom… I love you so much…”

Amber could not manage any more words, so she just nuzzled up close to Cinder like they used to when she was little, hugging her tight. Cinder smiled as she laid there, with the most important person in the world in her arms. Her eye glanced at Vernal, who was tearful as well. But all she did was nod. No words had to be said.

Cinder smiled again, then her eye slowly closed, and her heartbeat trailed away…

… and stopped.

Her hand lightly dropped, and she was gone. Only Amber’s tearful cries could be heard now… she was finally at peace. Weiss walked over to Vernal and Amber and she gently crouched down, being there for them.

And they knew that if Blake was not in need of medical attention, she would be here as well… because it was Cinder who saved them, and gave them a home for six years.

Cinder Fall… the one who was once their enemy… and died saving the world.

Pyrrha exhaled shakily to see Thaddeus on the ground, and she saw… the black blood was still there, but the regeneration had stopped. His body was mangled, but he was still alive, eyes still glowing purple. Part of her had hoped that once Salem died, Thaddeus would die and Jaune would be free… but no… Thaddeus was still there.

He growled from the pain as Pyrrha approached his body, crouching down beside him. Thaddeus chuckled sinisterly as she stared at him, tears dampening her cheeks. “So she did it… finally slayed the bitch… heh… did the one thing I never could.” Thaddeus chuckled.

“No… all you did was butcher more people she finally grew to care for. You’re more of a monster than she ever was.” Pyrrha stated.

He laughed again. “I did what I did… for the good of Remnant…”

“Tell that to the Atlesians… and the thousands… maybe millions of people… that died because of you.” Pyrrha stated.

“Judge me how you wish… Invincible Girl… We are all a product of our actions, a product of the choices we were forced to make. You yourself… have had to make some bloody choices yourself. We all have done things to survive… even dear… Jaune… my dear great, great grandson… knew that much.” Thaddeus stated, coughing up black blood.

Pyrrha’s lip trembled. “Give him back to me…” she begged.

“Jaune… is dead… there’s nothing left of him in here… I consumed what was left… he was just a host… to give me a second chance.” Thaddeus stated, and she closed her eyes in grief as the Brothers Grimm approached behind her. “Look at them… still so high and mighty. None of this would have happened if it weren’t… for their hypocrisy.” Thaddeus stated, but the two wounded Gods said nothing as they stared down at him.

The God of Darkness looked down at Pyrrha for a few seconds before back at Thaddeus again. “Then… at least now that you’ll die… he can finally rest… and you can’t tarnish his name anymore.” She snarled with hate in her eyes.

“When… will you understand?” Suddenly, Pyrrha drove Ira Red straight through his heart, and his glowing purple eyes widened. But he just stared at her, and he smiled.

“Nothing… ends…”

She stared at him and twisted the blade before pulling it out, black blood oozing from the wound. “… I… cannot… die…” Thaddeus repeated, smiling. “Thaddeus Rex Arc… is eternal… and when I walk this world again… I will be wading through… a sea… of blood…”

His glowing purple eyes faded, leaving nothing but black sockets behind, and the cracks that glowed purple faded as well.

Thaddeus was gone.

Pyrrha stared at Ira Red in her hand, covered in the Black Blood, and she dropped it to the floor, and she felt sick to her stomach from what she just had to do. She hiccupped breaths as she cried, covering her face as she cried.

The Brother of Darkness looked at her pain, but unlike most of the time when he saw beings seeping with negativity… it did not bring him any joy. He just felt the pain that she was in and knew that it was not fair.

The Brother of Light crouched behind Pyrrha, and tentatively held out his hand to her, to rest on her shoulder. “Child… you’ve fought a battle no one should ever wish to.”

“Get away from me!” Pyrrha wailed, staying wrapped around Jaune’s corpse as the purple light crackled to embers. “Y-You did this! You! One thing! One thing she asked of you, and you didn’t do it! And now, all this! Because of you!”

Darkness looked down, fists clenching and loosening at his sides. Pyrrha growled, before dropping her head back down onto Jaune, crying fat tears onto his greyed bare chest. Light recoiled his hand, looking at his brother.

“Did you expect worship?” Darkness questioned.

“No. I guess I did not.” Light sighed. Darkness looked at the destruction of Evernight.

“A champion that wins the battle usually is rewarded. Gold and trinkets, they will not mend a heart.”

Light looked up. “No. No, that is what caused all of this. The meddling. With the balance of life and death.”

“The balance can be swayed, by one, just this once.” Darkness snarled. “If not for my champion, you and I would be ashes at her feet, and all of this world would be caught between life and death.”

Light shook his head. “I cannot condone…”

“I’m not asking you to.” Darkness touched his shoulder. “I’m asking you to be human… just this once.”

“To be human, welcomes in emotions that make us too natural. There have to be rules.”

“And I concur. But of all this bloodshed. Surely one little rose bud, rising from the rubble… A seed of hope, for one who gave it all.”

Light looked at Pyrrha, sobbing. With a heavy sigh, he shook his head. “And what of everyone else who died? Do they deserve to die?”

Darkness looked down. “No. They did not. But he? Mangled and made by Salem, turned into a weapon of emotion and violence. You brought Ozma back, because you saw a spring of hope.”

Light looked up at Darkness. “That was…”

“Necessary? Yes.” Darkness looked at Pyrrha, lifting his hand. “And so is this.”

Jaune jolted awake, screaming in pain and shock. Pyrrha fell back onto the rubble, screaming herself. Jaune was afraid, lost. He patted all over himself to check he was whole. He looked around with great panic, seeing the Gods looking down at him, then at his chest, seeing the golden light healing him, his legs reconstructed, his body fully healed.

But and his skin like Salem was no longer pale and filled with the Grimm Tar, he was Human once more.

And it was… so easy… so effortless.

“Jaune? J-Jaune?” Pyrrha stammered, unable to believe what was happening, turning to the Brother of Darkness, who lowered his hand and walked away from her. Pyrrha turned back to Jaune, and she helped him sit upright, and she held his cheek.

“Pyrrha? W-What’s happening? I… I… the Ursa… we were at Beacon… and then… Salem… I… it’s all so confusing what’s going on?” He cried out, then he looked at his chest and the trousers of the Salem Knight. “W-What am… I… wearing?” He stammered.

But she just caressed his cheek as tears welled in her eyes. “Is… this really… real?” She stammered.

The Brother of Light watched as Pyrrha laughed and cried with joy, giving Jaune the most passionate kiss he had ever known and holding him tight, never wanting to let him go.

And he raised his golden hand to erase Jaune.

But he paused, staring at the two, and he thought back to Salem and Ozma… how erasing him and bringing him back… it was what started all of this. Playing with a human life like it was a toy…

He kept his hand held up, then closed it and lowered his arm.

Maybe… just this once… the rules can be bent.

Pyrrha looked back at the Brother of Light, who stared at Jaune, before he just turned and quietly walked back to where Salem was with his Brother.

She was elated that Darkness did that… but none of this felt… like a glorious victory.

Salem laid against the remains of her old home, looking at the burning Castle of Evernight and the destruction of the Sanctum itself from the final battle. Seeing the Grimm flee and the Tar Pits become sealed by a purple crystalline mineral.

She could feel it… the end… it was near…

Ruby looked at her and she closed her eyes, then sighed, standing up and walking away from Penny and Weiss to where Salem was. The Brothers Grimm stood nearby, looking down at Salem.

Her eyes were weakening, but she turned to see Ruby standing beside her, crouching down. She chuckled quietly. “Ahh… I seem to have a guest…”

“I’m… so sorry… Salem…” she said to her, and Salem raised her brow.

“Why?” Salem asked her.

“Everything you’ve suffered… what you’ve lost… what they did to you.” Ruby stated with a harsh tone as she glared at the Brothers. “… I hated you for so long. I just thought you were a monster. But… when I learned the truth? When Jinn showed us the truth? And I saw what they did… and everything you lost… what Thaddeus did to you…” Ruby explained.

“Perhaps I was wrong after all… perhaps you can understand… losing your mother… learning what your uncle did and hid from you… you tried to kill them… just as I wanted revenge.” Salem explained.

“Revenge… it doesn’t bring us any peace.” Ruby stated.

“I tried to understand that fact for so long… but I always dragged more vengeful souls into my coven… and it just became a circle.” Salem sighed.

She was right.

All of them were driven by vengeance in some way.

Watts, wanting revenge for what Jacques and his family stole from him.

Hazel wanted revenge for how he was created to be a monster.

Adam wanted revenge against Humanity and Blake.

Killian wanted revenge against Jackdaw and the Huntsmen and Huntresses.

Icarus wanted revenge against Li.

Tyrian… was the outlier…

“I always was too slow to learn…” She chuckled, then Oscar approached, and crouched down in front of her. Salem looked at him and she smiled. “… is he there?”

Oscar’s eyes shone gold, and he smiled. “Hello… Salem…” Ozma greeted with a gentle smile on his face, and she smiled back. “You don’t look a day older since I first met you.” Ozma said, and she chuckled.

“Always the one to pay the compliments first.” Salem chuckled, and so did he. “It’s… finally over… Ozma…”

“It is… I’m… so sorry, Salem.” He said, closing his eyes and bowing his head.

“Why is everyone apologising… to me? I was the one who… wanted to burn them… who slaughtered so many for what I wanted… who lead the Grimm. You both… all of you… had the strength and the bravery to fight… a shame that I only realised my mistakes… now… when the end is here.” Salem said, and she closed her eyes, feeling the blood pooling around her.

Then she sighed, looking up at the two Brothers.

“Are you afraid? The Brother of Light asked her.

She scoffed. “Of death?”

“Of ending. These are your last moments.” The Brother of Darkness clarified.

She chuckled. “And I get to spend them with you looking down at me… like you always did. How advantageous.”

Salem looked at Ruby. “Tell me… how does it feel? To finally win?” She asked her.

“I-I didn’t…” she breathed, before looking at the gods. “You did this to her, you did! How can you stand there and gloat in her face?”

The Brother of Light sighed. “My child. We do not come to gloat. We come to… ferry her. When she passes, we’ll see to it she gains passage to the beyond.”

“When the light leaves you, and Darkness claims you.” Darkness said coldly.

“Step closer, little rose.” Salem coughed. Ruby walked forward, up to the Grimm master. “It’s funny. You remind me of myself at your age. A long time ago, of course… but I see it in you.”

“See what?”

“The Joy of Adventure.” Salem chuckled, Ruby wiping her eye. “Never… lose that spark…”

“I-I thought killing you would bring me joy, or… make me jump and cheer! But… I feel… hollow?”

“Mmm. Revenge does that to a person. Whether or not you succeed in your vengeance, you leave this life cold… and bitter inside.” Salem groaned. “Like me.”

Salem looked at Ozma and she held out her hand, and he gently squeezed with a loving smile. She looked up at the sky, seeing the setting sun.

“Remember, Ozma? The field?” She whispered as she faded, and Ozma welled with tears in Oscar’s eyes.

“Always.”

As he held her hand, he felt the life fade, and her hand dropped.

Ruby looked at her and saw her eyes became lifeless, and the pupils dilated. She closed her eyes with grief for Salem, a feeling she never imagined she would feel. She reached over to her and gently closed her eyes.

“I… dunno what I expected to feel… but sadness… that wasn’t one of the feelings.” Ruby said, feeling Penny’s hand gently touch her shoulder as she sat there.

Oscar felt Ozma relinquish control, then he looked at the Brothers Grimm who were looking at him. “The time has come… Ozma…” The Brother of Light said as he approached Oscar and crouched down to him. He pressed his finger against Oscar’s forehead and Oscar collapsed, passing out.

“Oscar!” Ruby gasped.

But from inside of Oscar’s mind… he found himself back in another memory. He was standing in a field, and he looked around. It was the same field where he would train with the many Variants of Ozma, to enhance his skills with magic. He walked across the grassland, and saw them all, all sat on chairs waiting for him.

He walked towards them and saw Ozpin stood at the very end with his hands atop the Long Memory.

“To think… this day has finally come…” Ozymandias said with disbelief in his voice.

“She’s really gone…” The Drunk stammered with disbelief, looking at the bottle in his hand, and tossing it aside. And a smile formed on his face.

“What’s going on?” Oscar asked.

“Oscar Pine…” Ozpin said. “You have come a long way from where you began, and you have grown into a wise and fine young man. With a new world ahead of you, it is up to you to decide who you will be with your future.” Ozpin explained.

“This… this is it, isn’t it? You all can finally rest now… that’s what the Gods are gonna do?” Oscar asked.

“That is correct, Mr Pine.” The Brother of Light said. He turned to see the enormous Dragon atop the mountains, looking down at him. He then moved down towards them, and formed back into his humanoid body, his antlers splayed out far. He walked towards the Variants of Ozma with his hands behind his back. “You have all fought valiantly and fulfilled your end of the deal. And now I shall fulfil mine.” The Brother of Light assured, holding out his hand.

A bright light slowly formed above them all. Ozpin looked at the sky with Ozma, and they both exhaled shakily.

Oscar approached Ozpin. “We… didn’t start things on a positive note… but I’m glad you wound up in my head.”

“As are all of we. You have done us all proud… and have proven yourself to be worthy of your title.” Ozpin said to him, and he held his shoulder. “Hold onto it…” He said, looking at the Long Memory in his hand, now no longer in any of their hands. “It will prove to be a loyal friend to you… as it was to us all.” Ozpin said with a kind smile.

“I won’t forget any of you… I just hope… you can all rest now.” Oscar said.

“We will… it’s been a long time coming.” Ozymandias assured with a smile.

One by one, they faded away into bright light.

Oscar walked backwards as he watched they fade into light, and Ozpin smiled. “Goodbye, Oscar Pine. And never stop fighting the good fight.” Ozpin departed as he walked away into the light, letting Oscar finally be free at last.

As Oscar leaves…

… Ozma found himself laying on the grass…

… staring at the perfect blue sky…

… with Salem’s hand in his.

Chapter 57: Pyrrhic Victory

Chapter Text

Pyrrha

 

Aboard Dutch’s Dreadnaught, the newly reborn Jaune Arc looked out the window, staring at Evernight as they abandoned the decimated battlefield. The land torn apart by the Battle of Dragons.

It still hadn’t sunk in for everyone that Salem was actually dead.

That Cinder Fall of all people was the person to sacrifice herself to kill the Dark Queen once and for all.

But most of all?

The fact that… the Brother of Darkness brought Jaune back so easily, like he just brushed an autumn leaf aside. And that the Brother of Light did not correct what he had done. Jaune of all people could not get that factor out of his mind, not even staring at Evernight anymore, but at his own reflection. Seeing the faint scarring around his eyes that once were blackened and glowing dark purple. Beside him was Pyrrha, who still could not believe that it was really him now.

She just had to kill Thaddeus, driving a sword through the body of Jaune Arc. She knew it was Thaddeus she killed, not Jaune… but it still looked like him. His skin was no longer pale, and the Grimm Tar was replaced with blood once more, a living, breathing human being again. The only thing that stayed the same was his hair, staying pale white just as it did before. And his body was still just as enhanced, thanks to what Salem did with her Dark Magic.

But from the looks of it? The Brother of Darkness returned Jaune to his old self. No more Immortality through a Dark Curse, and not a savage beast that was more akin to a Grimm than any person.

Pyrrha reached over to Jaune’s hand, and she held him tight, feeling his warm skin. Unlike the cold flesh that was there when Thaddeus was in control. “Hey…” Pyrrha softly said, her tender voice leading to a beautiful smile. Jaune looked at her and he smiled nervously, but he seemed to be in the same place that she was. “You… okay?” She asked.

“It… feels so weird…” He stammered.

“Believe me… I know.” She promised.

“You died… didn’t you? At Beacon? After I…”

“Yeah… I woke up six years later, when the God of Darkness brought me back. But for me, it only felt like six minutes.” Pyrrha explained as she wrung her fingers.

“Yeah…” He agreed. “That’s how it felt when Salem brought me back… it all just… stopped… then I woke up in a dark crypt… and she was there, staring at me. I was naked on the floor… I tried to fight her but…” Jaune explained, closing his eyes and stammering, shaking his head.

“It’s okay… you don’t have to talk about it right now.” She promised, caressing his cheek. “But I’m here… for whenever you do.”

He smiled at her, and she pressed her head against his. “I’ve missed you so much…” She sniffled as tears streamed down from her eyes. He held her hand, and his other clutched the warm blanket around his body tight.

“I’m so sorry…” He sniffled.

“Don’t be. It wasn’t you.” Pyrrha said, and then he looked at her. He was about to say something more, but he stopped, and he couldn’t help but smile. Pyrrha turned, and she smiled as well, to see the absolutely baffled faces of Ren and Nora.

“Wow… you two look older.” Jaune chuckled.

“And you’re actually our best friend, not a sadistic maniac.” Nora replied, laughing in disbelief. They both walked over to Jaune. It hurt for him to notice how reluctant they were to give him a hug at first. But they did. Hugging him warmly, and sitting on the bed with him, Nora sat beside Pyrrha and Ren beside Jaune.

“How’s he feeling?” Ren asked Pyrrha.

“He’s doing better… still confused and shaken. But… no sign of Thaddeus. Looks like he’s really gone.” Pyrrha assured.

“I bet you’re wondering what the hell we’re talking about, right?” Nora asked him, but he looked at them with pain in his blue eyes, tapping his foot against the floor.

“Guys… I didn’t lose… consciousness…” He revealed.

“What?” Ren asked.

“The whole time Thaddeus was in control? I remember all of it… and… it’s hard to explain.” Jaune stated, his hands shaking.

“You don’t have to.” Pyrrha assured, holding his hand, just wanting him to be comfortable.

“No, I do… I have to.” Jaune stated, looking at them. “I felt… my control over my body begin to fade away, but before that… it was like I was starting to share the same thoughts as Thaddeus. Agreed with what Salem said… but even he felt like he was on a chain. Like the real monster was being held back.” Jaune explained.

“We noticed that. He was a savage monster until Salem said My Knight.” Pyrrha said, which made Jaune flinch.

“Whoa… you okay?” Nora asked.

“Yeah… just…”

“Okay, we won’t say that again.” Pyrrha assured. “I’m sorry.”

His time with Salem really has left some lasting effects…

“Eventually… I couldn’t differentiate myself from Thaddeus anymore…” Jaune stammered, pushing his hand through his hair. “I remember everything that he… I… we… did. Our thoughts… the madness… all of it…” Jaune stammered.

Nora and Ren looked at each other and then at Pyrrha. She stepped forward and crouched down, holding his hand. “Thank you for telling us this, Jaune… but you need to hear me. You are not Thaddeus. We know what Thaddeus was, who he was. We saw everything.” Pyrrha explained.

“W-What do you… mean?” He trembled.

“Hoo boy…” Nora chuckled.

“We found one of the Relics, the Relic of Knowledge. Well, Ruby did… I was still dead when that was going on. But we asked her for answers about Salem’s past, and we saw all of it. Her marriage to Ozma, the Gods… and Thaddeus.” Pyrrha explained. “And how Thaddeus was one of the many variants of Ozma, but was one that they could not control, couldn’t direct on the right path and was a monster.”

“Okay?”

“The way Ozma worked was that they would merge with the next host, Oscar would have as well, if we didn’t stop Salem. Thaddeus was doing the same thing to you, but by the looks of it… it was more aggressive. He took your memories of us to use them against us… but everything else was him. He shoved the real you away…” Pyrrha explained, and Jaune looked at his hands, seeing the scars on them.

Even looking at the scar on his chest from where Pyrrha stabbed Thaddeus in the heart to kill him. Reminders of Thaddeus’ control covered him, but he just buried his head in his hands, shaking his head.

“It’s a lot to take in… I know…” Ren said, holding his Father’s Knife in his hand. He closed his eyes, still grieving for losing his dad.

Then… he asked a question… one that shocked Pyrrha to hear.

“Why?”

She furrowed her brow. “What do you mean?” She asked.

“Why me? Why did… why did the God of Darkness save me? Out of everyone else… out of all the good people…”

“Stop.” Pyrrha said.

“No… I was a monster… you don’t understand what it’s like… I may not have had control, but I remember how it felt. To be Thaddeus… I should be punished for what we did… someone has to be…” Jaune trembled, like he was about to cry.

He buried his head in his hands once again, unable to cope with all these questions. And Pyrrha… was struggling to find an answer.

How do I even answer that?

I wanna just say that he deserves it more… but that just sounds so selfish… and of course I would say that… I love him so much…

She sighed and just held his hands. “I don’t know why he did it… the whole time the Brothers Grimm were in my head… the Brother of Darkness was selfish, only worrying about themselves. Yet he was the one who helped me the most… have me a second chance, was the one who fought the Praetorian Dragon and defended us when it attacked us. Maybe… he found meaning in life after all… and decided that you deserved a second chance… after Salem used yours like you were a weapon.” Pyrrha explained to him.

Jaune looked at her with tears soaking his cheeks, then she kissed him. “Whatever his reasons were? We will find a way to live with it… together.”

He smiled and closed his eyes.

“I’m happy he saved you too…” Nora said with a beaming smile, rubbing her little bump. “This little ass kicker is gonna need one ass kicker for an uncle.” She revealed.

Jaune lifted his head, and his eyes widened with disbelief. “I’m sorry what?” Jaune asked, and Nora smiled. Then he looked at Ren and he just shrugged his shoulders with a smile.

“We’re having a baby!” She squeaked.

“Oh yeah, and we may have got married.” Ren added, showing his ring, making Jaune double take, and hearing this beautiful news seemed to keep Jaune’s mind away from his existential terror for a while longer.

“A-And I missed this? SERIOUSLY?” Making Ren and Nora laugh.

Pyrrha smiled, feeling like her family was reunited once more.

It was a complicated one…

… but it was hers.

 

Blake

 

Blake sat on her bed, massaging her broken leg with her hand, and looking over at the bed next to her that Yang was still asleep in. Despite suffering from her blindness, she still could see just how beautiful Yang was through her aura alone. The sound of the steady beep of her heart monitor was giving her so much ease.

She nearly lost Yang… it came so close… Adam nearly killed her with that slash across her throat.

Thank the Gods for her semblance burning so hot that it cauterised the wound, but thankfully, the surgeons stabilised her and disinfect the wound before it could get any worse. Ghira and Kali had just left the room to speak with the nurses, making sure that Yang and Blake were able to recover and what potential side effects there could be to their injuries.

Blake looked at her hands, still sore from the battle, but her heart still ached. She may have found something beautiful with Yang, but learning the truth of Sun… of all of their fates? They were so close… perhaps only a few minutes too late.

She buried her head in her hands as she thought about it. “I’m so sorry, Sun…” She sniffled, shaking her head. Her hand touched her scarred eyes. Even after six years, she felt their absence. Just as Yang would always feel the absence of her arm, it was such a strange feeling that was always so hard to explain.

She exhaled, and dropped her hands, looking at Yang again, before turning as she heard the curtains turn. She saw their auras, and it made her smile. “Hey…” Ruby greeted with a gentle tone in her voice, and from the blue glow dangling from her hip, the Relic of Knowledge was entrusted to Ruby. She sat with her, Weiss beside her, and they both gave Blake an extremely gentle hug.

“Are you okay?” Blake asked, and Ruby winced, touching her side where Salem injured her.

“Not dead yet.” Ruby chuckled, but she sighed. “How are you feeling?”

“The nurses say my leg will heal, same with my ribs. Yang, though…” Blake stammered as she looked at her. “They’re not sure. Adam cut her terrible across the throat, their not sure if she will be able to speak. It wasn’t too deep, so she may be able to… but she may have some struggles with speaking in the future.”

“That won’t stop Yang.” Weiss joked.

Blake giggled. “No, it won’t.” She agreed.

Blake leant against the wall, touching her short hair with her hand, sighing. “Blake… I know you and Yang have something now… and I’m so happy for you both. But… I’m so sorry. To both of you.” Ruby said, looking at Weiss. They both smiled and Weiss held her hand.

“I won’t lie… it hurts… hurts more than it did before. Learning that he was alive… only for us to be too late… after… Tyrian…” Blake snarled as she said his name, with more hate than she had ever felt for Adam Taurus. She clenched her hand into a fist, but calmed her nerves, shaking her head.

And it was clear that even Weiss shared this hate. “So unnecessary… just…” She barely could find the words. “At least he burned for what he did.”

“So you got him?” Blake asked.

“Yeah… Eryka’s mom died and passed the Winter Maiden powers to her, and she gave us the power we needed to take Tyrian down. Bound him to the wall with roots, and I set the son of a bitch on fire.” Weiss explained, with a look of resentment present in her bloodshot eyes. Ruby gently patted the top of Weiss’ hand.

“Good… I hope he paid for what he did to them. They all deserved better…” Blake stated as she lowered her saddened head.

“I’m so sorry… I was there… in that cell with them… I should’ve–” Ruby began, but Blake and Weiss both lifted their heads.

“No.” They both said at the same time.

“What?” Ruby asked.

“Don’t say that, Ruby. It wasn’t your fault… none of it was. It was Tyrian… not even Adam. I could tell that he was scared of that maniac.” Blake explained, remembering how much fear she felt inside of Adam when he was next to Adam.

“You did everything you could.” Weiss said. “No matter what, I know that’s true.”

Ruby smiled, and Weiss pulled her close for a gentle hug. The two broke and looked back at Blake, then the three gasped as they saw Yang’s eyes slowly open, and she looked at them. Blake immediately went to Yang’s side, Ruby right next to her. “Yang!” Ruby gasped, holding her hand and Blake caressing her cheek.

“Hey…” Yang hoarsely said, able to speak to their relief, but as the nurses feared, her voice sounded so frail.

“Don’t ever… do that again.” Blake begged her, making Yang smile.

“I’ll try my best.” She joked, making Blake smile, giving her an affectionate kiss on the lips. “How’s my hair? It feels… lighter…”

Team R.W.B.Y all laughed at that.

“You survived having your throat sliced, and that’s the first thing on your mind?” Weiss laughed.

Yang smiled at them, happy to see her team back together again. “Might need to grow it out again.” Ruby said.

“Eh… should be fine in a few months, then.” Yang shrugged.

Ruby looked at them all, at Weiss, at Blake, and at her sister Yang.

Despite everything that happened between them six years ago… it was like nothing had ever happened.

They were family.

And always would be.

 

Eryka

 

She had cried all the tears there were to cry…

… all she felt now was a cold and empty sensation in her heart. She sat on one of the crates in the hangar bay of the Dreadnaught, eyes staring at the many sealed caskets. For Li Ren, Lavinia Vasillias and Sashaa… and an honorary one for Neptune, despite the fact that they could not find his body, just like the rest of the poor victims of Tyrian Callows.

Only the blood.

She just stared at them, feeling the loss of it all, even losing Dulcis as well. Her scarred fists were clenched… even the Winter Maiden gift from her mother felt painful, just another reminder of everything she’s lost because of Salem.

She hated her.

Hated her more than words could describe.

And watching her die? That wasn’t enough to compensate for the loved ones she had lost because of everything she had done.

The emotions that boiled in her chest were so confused and complicated, but all of them came down to the same thing… a depression that could not be cured with any medicine, bar time… hopefully. She heard the clacking of Winter’s heels approaching, but she did not turn. Her girlfriend sat down on the crate next to her, and she held Eryka’s hand… but even her hand felt so cold and lifeless.

It stung to see someone who was usually so full of energy, so bubbly and jokey, able to make anyone smile… in such a dark place. “Eryka…” Winter whispered, caressing her cheek, moving the blue strands of hair away from her eye. Her skin was still dotted with dried blood from all the fighting, mostly her own. She looked at one of the crates next to her, and it was one that had some medical supplies inside, including some soft cloth. She opened it and took a couple out, and she poured some water from a tap with a bowl, and sat back down next to her.

Winter gently started wiping the dried blood off her skin, and Eryka still did not say a word. “… I don’t even know what to say… other than… I’m so sorry.” Winter said to her as she cleaned the blood off her.

Even seeing Eryka gloveless was such a strange sight, since she always wore them because of her deep insecurities, of how scarred her hands were from the fighting pits. “They were all good people… Li… Sashaa… Lavinia…” Winter began, but even that felt like a jab, considering Eryka was definitely beating herself up for not seeing her mother more. And learning how much her mother loved her despite their falling out.

Winter closed her eyes and shook her head. “Will you please look at me?” Winter asked her. Eryka still didn’t move. Not for a while there… she just kept staring at the caskets. So Winter gently touched the other side of her cheek and turned her face, only for Eryka to glare back at her with burning eyes.

Winter jolted from that, not expecting to see Eryka stare at her like that. Eryka still stayed silent and looked back at the caskets, with Winter stood by the crate. “Okay… just… let me know, okay? When you want to talk? I’m here… and I love you. I always will. Take as long as you need… I’m sorry.” Winter said, turning and walking away, leaving the bowl of water and cloth behind for Eryka to clean herself up with.

She stayed motionless, staring at the caskets.

Fucking useless…

Couldn’t save your brother… the man who raised you like a father… your best friend from the Summit… and you were such a little bitch to your mom…

You’re so fucking pointless.

Eryka tightened her hands into fists, then heard more footsteps approaching her. She was about to spin around and scream at whoever it was until she recognised the voice. “Hey, sweetheart…” Roland said as he sat down. She didn’t look at him, but she let him mourn just as she was.

He stared at his wife’s casket, and he closed his eyes, sighing. “I was married to your mother for a long time… and for so long, I was afraid of her. She never hurt me, never threatened me… but seeing what she was capable of doing to her other people. It was terrifying.” He admitted, touching the ring on his finger. “Did you know it was your mother who proposed to me?” He asked her.

Eryka still had no reaction, but he knew she was listening to every word.

“There were many days where I wish I walked away… but then I’d have so many moments with her, where I can’t imagine my life with anyone else. And every time I looked at you… at Neptune… I always knew I made the right choice, because I got the two of you.” Roland explained, and a tear trickled from Eryka’s eye. “I knew what you mother was capable of… but in the past six years I saw a side to her… which was always there… but she really showed who she truly was. That the monster was just an act, and that the person who gave her life to make sure her daughter would have her gift… so that her daughter would have a chance… that the world could be free from Salem if she sacrificed herself? That… that was the real person I married… the woman I loved.” Roland explained.

He wiped a tear from his eye and pressed his hand against the casket. “I’m proud of her… she died who she wanted to be, not who she pretended to be.” He said.

He turned and looked at Eryka. “I’m sorry… for not being there enough for you… for both of you. I know you’re hurting… but just know that Winter is right. You are surrounded by so many people who love you so much and will always be there for you. So when you’re ready… come find us.” Roland said with a gentle smile.

Eryka still was silent, but she slowly leant against his shoulder, resting her head against him as tears streamed once more from her eyes.

Winter stood in the doorway, looking at Eryka, and she closed her teary eyes. She sucked her grief for Eryka deep and kept walking away.

She knew Eryka… and knew that she just needed time.

She would talk when she was ready.

 

Dutch

 

A few hours later…

The Fleet of Dreadnaughts returned from Salem’s Sanctum and to Vale first and foremost. The Dreadnaughts arrived to quite the warm welcome, hearing cheering and seeing bright and colourful fireworks exploding in the sky. As they landed, they all saw that the Grimm Tar pits had fully sealed themselves with that mysterious dark purple crystalline structure.

However, before they left, Dutch walked through the ship to a specific area, where he found the Happy Huntresses and Marrow waiting alongside Oscar Pine. They all stood together, and before them were highly secured crates, with holographic images on top of what was inside.

The Relic of Destruction.

The Relic of Choice.

And… the Horn of the Brother of Darkness.

The latter was in a highly secured crate, one that seemed to be used to contain extremely valuable objects, or even raw dust that could detonate at any second. And even this was not enough to withstand the mysterious effects it had. Marrow was massaging the side of his head, shaking his head.

“Gods… these things were not easy to store.” Marrow grumbled.

“It took five Atlesian Knights to carry the Relic of Destruction, and three of them short circuited when they gripped the handle. But this is the right move. All of these must be secured. Just because Salem is gone, we cannot risk them being easily found.” Oscar explained.

“Exactly, especially this…” Dutch said as he approached the Crate containing the Horn of Darkness. “It was only out there for a few hours, and anyone who came close to it was starting to hear voices.”

“Even I’m starting to hear them… gods…” Marrow grumbled.

“May wanna take some time away from it.” May pointed out.

“Yeah. Let’s just get it to Pietro. You think this idea will work?” Marrow asked, and Dutch brought up the plans.

“Heimdall’s Box? I hope so… the Huntsmen Academies are no more, but we need somewhere secure to store them. And the Vaults are no longer a viable option. So, for the foreseeable future, we will have this facility be constructed. A massive research lab, headed by Pietro. And we will keep the God’s Horn contained here with the Relics.” Dutch explained.

“Why the hell did the Brother of Darkness not go back for his horn? You’d think he’d… y’know… pick it up?” Joanna asked.

“You think he cared?” May asked.

“Whatever his reasons were, not caring or just being forgetful… it’s up to us to keep it somewhere safe. We don’t know how dangerous this thing is on its own. Maybe it’s just a part of the Brother and has weird side effects. But if it could be cataclysmic, we need to know about it… and make sure it does not fall into the wrong hands.” Dutch explained.

“Any ideas on who will help Pietro?” Marrow asked.

“Well, I’ll be keeping tabs on it… with whatever’s left of a military. There’s a lot of rebuilding to be done after the destruction of the Black Gallows. But…” Dutch pondered.

“I’ll help.” Oscar volunteered. “I still have the memories of Ozma, they all may be gone… but the memories are all still there, and even coming to me still.”

“I’m sure Penny will be happy to help her dad as well, now that she’s free from Watts. Plus, she’s gonna need a job.” Fiona stated, shrugging her shoulders.

“I’ll ask her later if she’s interested.” Dutch agreed, then they started taking the floating crates, hovering thanks to the Gravity Dust underneath them that kept them afloat. They hovered down the halls and out towards the Hangar Bay. They saw so many families reunited with loved ones… and even more left heartbroken after losing people they loved. Cheers and sobs echoed in the streets of Vale.

Nothing sounded like a Pyrrhic Victory more than that.

Dutch walked with the Happy Huntresses, Marrow and Oscar, and they saw people curiously looking at the crates as they approached Pietro’s Laboratory. They walked towards it and saw Pietro emerging in his mechanical chair. “It’s… really over?” He asked with disbelief in his voice.

“Salem’s gone… but over? Well… I’ve learned to always expect something new to replace the old enemy. So I guess we’ll see. First step is to secure the Relics… and this.” Dutch explained, gesturing to the Horn of Darkness.

“Is this…”

“The Horn of the Brother of Darkness. We don’t know what it’s power means, so we must keep it safe. I have ideas for a facility to be constructed here…” He said, sending the plans over to Pietro.

“Heimdall’s Box… interesting. Well, I’ve been thinking about expanding this place… this is bigger than I expected… but I’m all in. And you’re right… objects of such power must be under the highest security.” Pietro agreed.

As he spoke, Dutch turned and saw Saphron emerging from the crowd with Adrien’s hand in hers. He looked at her and nodded at Pietro.

“I’ll be right back.” He assured, turning to walk to over to Saphron. He approached her and he was surprised to see her immediately give him a hug, which he reciprocated.

“Is it over?” She also asked. Seemed so many people could not really wrap their heads around it… that they actually won.

“It is. Salem’s gone.” He assured, and she sighed with relief.

“And… well… you’re gonna wanna see some people coming out of that ship… but…” He said with a look on his face. “I’m sorry… for Terra… for all of it.” He said.

“Dutch… you don’t have to…”

“No… I do. Neither of you asked to be involved in this… that is why I want to make sure that you will have all the funding you need to get your lives back on track… as best as you can. And I’ll make sure to keep any paparazzi trying to grill you for questions about Killian or anything like that will never get close. So you and Adrien’s lives can go back to normal.” Dutch explained.

“Normal?” she questioned.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it like that… I…”

“No. I’m sorry, this is all very kind of you. Thank you.” Saphron apologised, smiling slightly.

“Yeah.” Dutch said, turning to walk away, the light shining across his blinded eye and scar from where Killian shot him. The warmth immediately made him think of Killian… and he stopped. He looked back at Saphron. “Killian was doing everything right under my nose… and I constantly looked the other way… I wouldn’t be able to live with myself if I didn’t make things as right as they can be.” Dutch stated, walking away from her and back to Pietro.

Saphron closed her eyes tearfully and felt Adrien huddle close to her leg. Then he gasped. “Auntie Pyrrha?”

Saphron looked up and her eyes widened when she saw Pyrrha stood on the ramp. She walked towards the crowd, seeing everyone reuniting with loved ones, and passing those on their knees, anguishing over those who had been lost.

She walked up the ramp with Adrien to see Pyrrha, and she immediately have her a warm hug, relieved to see she was okay. “Thank the gods…” She sighed.

Pyrrha then smiled at her. “Come with me…” she said, and Pyrrha took Saphron with her to see him. Dutch watched Saphron follow Pyrrha, and he smiled.

Hopefully, having her brother back… will help in some regard with what she lost.

Saphron followed Pyrrha and turned round one of the crates, and her eyes widened with disbelief, gasping. She turned into a statue when she saw Jaune leant against it, still draped with a blanket. His eyes widened as well, seeing his sister. “Saph?” He gasped.

She dropped her bag and sprinted to him, wrapping her arms around him and sobbing with joy, and Adrien laughed with happiness, hugging his leg. “UNCLE JAUNE!”

Pyrrha wiped a tear away to see the happiness between them. Saphron looked back at Pyrrha. “H-How?” She stammered, and she just smiled.

“A sudden act of kindness from… the most surprising of places.” Pyrrha answered, obviously withholding the details for now, due to how complicated it was. Saphron hugged her brother again, holding him tight.

“When I saw the news, I…” she sobbed.

“It’s okay… I don’t fully understand how or why… but I’m here. And I’m not going anywhere.” Jaune promised tearfully.

“I agreed with Dutch that we need to keep Jaune’s life a secret for a while. Only a few people can know. Only the people we trust with that information. He’s given us a plot of land we can live on. We’re gonna see it in a few weeks… after we hold a funeral for Cinder… and everyone we lost.” Pyrrha explained, and Saphron nodded her head in agreement.

“Well… you know I’ll always be here to help.” She sniffled.

Despite everything that was lost, getting something so important back?

It meant everything to the Arc Family.

 

Ruby

 

Ruby and Penny walked together through the streets of Vale, hands held together. They both found it surreal that after six years of suffering under her thumb, and for a conflict that had lasted thousands of years… had finally ended today.

That Salem was dead.

And the fact that it didn’t feel like a triumph was the strangest part of all. They both had seen people happy and heartbroken, others angry. Ruby always had a feeling things would not be solved by killing Salem, but she didn’t expect that of all the emotions she would expect to feel upon watching Salem die… that sadness was one of them.

As they walked though, they found many Black Gallows and Feral Ones on their knees, arrested by the Local Militia. Things were in flux right now, needed a new Law and Order to be put in place. “What are you thinking about?” Penny asked.

“Robyn… she said that things won’t be easy even after killing Salem. That there would still be people loyal to what she believed in. Look at some of their faces.” Ruby said as they walked past the Black Gallows and Feral Ones being arrested. Some were scared, others accepted… but some?

They were glaring… filled with hatred.

“… I don’t think that Salem’s rule is going to be an easy one to get rid of.” Ruby said.

“Then we’ll find a way to make things right. Without Killians methodology… without brainwashing… and without the bloodshed. We all have a chance to make things better… to be better. I hope we all can take this opportunity to make something beautiful.” Penny said with a hopeful smile.

Ruby smiled, completely smitten with Penny.

But as they walked, they heard someone call over to Penny. “Hey Penny!” Fiona called out, and she stopped.

“Yes, Fiona?” She responded.

“We’ve been talking with your Dad… we have a proposal you may be interested in.” Fiona suggested, and Penny smiled.

As they spoke, Ruby noticed something concerning.

Amber… all alone… walking down one of the alleyways away from the crowd.

“Okay, Ruby? You coming?” Penny asked.

“I’ll catch up… there’s something I need to do.” Ruby stated, running after Amber. She followed the alleyway she saw her walk down. She walked through the alley, and found herself outside, overlooking the beautiful lake with a stunning Blossom Tree. And next to the tree was Amber.

She was just standing at the edge, looking at her reflection, tears dropping from her eyes. Ruby reached her hand out and approached cautiously, afraid of whatever could be going through this grieving child’s mind right now.

“Amber… please… step away from the edge?” Ruby asked her gently.

Amber sniffled. “I… I don’t know… if I can…”

Ruby calmly lowered her hand, and she walked to the edge with her, holding her hand affectionately. “Then I’m not going anywhere.” She promised.

They both stared at the lake as the sun started to set behind the city, creating a beautiful orange hue over the sky. “She was so proud of you…” Ruby said with a beautiful smile on her face. “Whenever she talked about you… it was like she was talking about an angel who saved her…”

“But I didn’t save her… I got her killed…” She sniffled. Ruby looked at her.

“Amber… you… you didn’t get her killed.” Ruby said. “Look, I know what you’re feeling…”

“No… you don’t.” Amber snapped back.

Ruby nodded her head and sighed, then stepped away from the edge, still holding her hand, and Amber reluctantly stepped away from the edge as well. “You’re right… that was wrong of me. I don’t know what you’re going through or what you’re feeling…”

“I don’t even know what I’m feeling. It’s like… heavy… and empty… but all at the same time.” Amber admitted, sniffling. “I lost my real parents before, but I was too young to know what was going on before Raven found me and took me into the tribe. I didn’t even know my real parents… not really… but… Cinder? She cared for me… raised me… loved me… and now she’s gone. Just like them.” She hiccuped breaths, burying her face in her hands, tears dripping from her nose as she sniffled.

Ruby closed her eyes grievously with her.

“When I fell asleep on the flight here… on Emerald’s lap… I really thought I’d wake up… and I’d see her there. But she wasn’t… she’s really gone…” She sniffled, tears streaming from her eyes, then she looked up at Ruby. “Is this what it’s always gonna be like? Like… I’m not even alive?”

Ruby looked at the lake again, then she exhaled shakily. “I don’t know… grief… mourning… it’s different for everyone. But… there was nobody quite like your mom. She loved you so much… I still find it crazy to believe how much she changed from the person I knew ten years ago… the woman who nearly killed my friend… the woman who nearly destroyed Beacon on a quest for power. But she did… she loved you so much.” Ruby said to her, and Amber closed her teary eyes as she listened to Ruby’s heartfelt words.

She looked at the bench by the tree and she just kept feeling the tears welling in her eyes. “I… I need her back…” she cried, storming over to the bench. “I just want things to go back to the way they were, back at the house, just us, with Blake and Weiss, Vernal and Oscar… I just want things to be happy again. Before Killian showed up… before it all burned down… before I got her killed…” she sobbed.

“It’s not your fault, Amber. Don’t put that on yourself.” Ruby said to her, thinking of what Weiss said to her.

“Why not? It’s true! If I wasn’t so stupid that Abductor wouldn’t have taken me to–”

“It’s not true!” Ruby repeated, crouching down and holding Amber by her arms, looking into her teary eyes. They both turned and saw a toppled over statue of Salem, shoved down by the rioting people, cracked and broken, but her eye still looking at them. “You didn’t curse a woman and turn her into a monster. You didn’t slaughter her children… and you aren’t the reason you mother was dying from a terrible sickness.” Ruby explained, looking back at Amber, wiping the tears away from her cheek.

Amber winced as she tried to fight the tears.

“There’s a lot of blame to go around, but there’s no way that you deserve any of it.” Ruby stated. Amber stared at the broken statue of Salem, then she looked up at Ruby. “The only way to stop Salem was to use the Relic of Destruction. All of us were willing to use it… and your mom? Despite everything she claimed about not caring about the rest of the world? She picked that Relic up and sacrificed her own life to save it. For you… and for everyone else across the entire world. Because the other option was letting a very bad woman who wanted to destroy the entire world… get her extremely understandable… but also selfish revenge against those who wronged her.” Ruby explained.

“That’s… what happened… and why your mom did what she did.” Ruby stated. “It wasn’t because of you being captured… that was Salem showing how desperate she was getting. We all knew the risks, your mom most of all…”

“Okay…” Amber sniffled. “So let’s say then that… my mom dying… wasn’t because of me…” she slowly said.

“I can do that.” Ruby answered.

“I still don’t understand how… how does anyone… live with this feeling? What am I supposed to do, just scream into a pillow all day?” She asked, her voice trembling.

“Well, I think your neighbours would be pretty concerned.” Ruby joked, making Amber chuckle slightly. “But… there’s other ways.”

Ruby walked over to the bench and sat down, pulling out her scroll and showing a picture of Cinder. “Weiss sent it to me. She saved a bunch of pictures onto her scroll in the six years she and Blake lived with you guys.” Ruby explained, and Amber looked at the picture of Cinder with a smile.

“It’s a little trick my Uncle Qrow taught me… whenever I was sad about my mom…” she began. “… he taught me to always look at the pictures of her. To always remember her face, to remember her voice. And think of the good times that I had with her. I didn’t have many memories to draw from, being so young. But I remembered how it felt… and it helped. Because so long as you have the memories of them? Then they’re not really gone, are they? The people we love are always with us… and then… you pay tribute.” Ruby explained.

“What do you mean?” Amber asked, and Ruby saw a lighter on the table that someone left there. She picked it up and struck the hammer with her thumb, sparking the fluid and lighting a small flame.

“You light a candle… to remember someone. Something so simple, isn’t it?” Ruby said, smiling as the light from the little dancing flame shone across her beautiful face, and Amber’s eyes widened as she looked at the flame. “It’s not some kind of crazy magic… it doesn’t bring someone back… but y’know… it’s a gesture. A little light in the middle of a great darkness.” Ruby said, closing the lighter and setting it down on the table, smiling at her.

“… sometimes that’s all we have.” Ruby concluded.

Amber and Ruby turned to see Emerald, Mercury, and Vernal stood with Weiss and Blake.

She smiled when she saw them, then looked at Ruby. “And remember… you’re never alone. You’re surrounded by so many people who love you and would do anything for you.” Ruby assured, and Amber smiled.

“Thank you… Ruby… you promise you won’t tell anyone about…” she asked, looking at the edge she was standing on.

“Of course not.” She promised with a little wink. Amber quickly gave her a sweet hug, which Ruby returned, and Amber walked over to her found family.

“Thanks Ruby.” Vernal said to her, and she just gave a brief salute. “C’mon, kiddo. Let’s get something to eat.”

Weiss and Blake both walked over to Ruby. “Hey… you okay?” Weiss asked her, seeing the faint tears in her eyes.

“Yeah… Amber’s okay…” she assured.

“I was asking about you…” Weiss said.

“I know… I just… I need a minute.” Ruby answered. Blake and Weiss looked at each other then nodded at Ruby. They both walked away from her and Ruby stood up from the bench, looking at the Blossom Tree, where the pink blossoms drifted in the air.

She reached into her bag and pulled out Qrow’s letter, staring at the unopened seal. She walked towards the tree and sat down, resting her back against it, and broke the seal, slowly unfolding it.

The second she opened it, she realised he must have written this letter after Jackdaw revealed the truth to her and Yang.

After the divide.

Before, everything changed.

 

Hey kiddo…

I know how you must feel about me and Raven right now, and I don’t blame you. What we did to your mom was bad… but if I know you… it’s not that that hurts the most.

It was the lie.

I’m not gonna try to bullshit you with this, because I know you. You’ll sniff that shit out the second you read it. But really, you deserve better than more crap coming out of my mouth. Valravn forced us to do what we did to the Silver Eyed Kids yes… I accidentally killed your mom… yeah… just as Jackdaw said.

But the lie… the lie is the thing that has been eating away at me every single day. It’s what made me drink for so long. Because I was lying to the most important person in the world to me. Because you are, Ruby.

For so long I forgot how to feel anything, even before what I did to Summer. I felt cold, and afraid, terrified of what my semblance would do to somebody next. I was stuck; I guess you could say, in a cave.

A deep, dark cave.

One I never thought I’d climb out of.

Where I just kept lying, because I was so scared. Of Valravn, of Jackdaw, of Salem… and of myself, apparently. And for so long, I never even thought about it. It was just who I was.

But then you came tumbling into my life, this innocent and kind little thing. Just like your mom, but you’re so different in so many ways. You made me feel again, and that was the scariest part of all. Facing my past, facing my crimes and everything I’ve done. It all started to pile up and… the more I tried to hide the truth from you, the worse it got.

And it wasn’t to protect you.

I see that now.

It was to protect me.

Because I didn’t want to go back to the way I was, to that drunk fool who was too cold to feel even the smallest emotion.

But as we were on this journey… I could tell you were figuring it out anyway… that me and Raven were lying.

I didn’t wanna lose all the joy that you brought into my life. Playing in the ponds outside your home on summer days. Eating so many cookies watching your favourite cartoons until we got fat. Seeing that look of happiness on your face every time you saw me.

And… the truth is… that was why I kept lying.

I didn’t want things to change.

So I think that’s what I dream of now… to turn back the clock… so things could go back to the way they were.

But I know that’s naïve, and now I’ve made a mistake I can never take back, a mistake that no apology will ever be able to make right. And I don’t ever expect you to, because you are your own person.

A great, incredible and beautiful person.

And seeing you grow has taught me a valuable lesson… that life… it just keeps moving. Whether you like it or not, and we never know where it’s gonna take us.

And yeah… sometimes it can be painful, filled with sadness.

And sometimes, life?

It’s surprising.

It’s filled with so much beauty, happiness and love. And you, your sister, your Dad… and everyone in your life? You all deserve every single inch of all those surprises.

So whatever happens tonight… promise me one thing.

Keep on growing, kiddo, don’t let the lies and the bad times stop you. Follow that light that you’ve always followed. Because I know, that despite everything, you are gonna do incredible things.

Make mistakes.

Learn from them.

And when life hurts you, and it will, remember the hurt. Don’t make the mistakes I made, don’t close yourself off from it.

The hurt is good; it means you’ve climbed out of that cave.

I’ll miss ya, kiddo.

Keep on kicking ass, little Grimm Reaper.

P.S – Check the Package ;)

 

Tears streamed from Ruby’s eyes, and she did that, shaking the envelope… and a video game cartridge fell out of it. The very video game they used to play so much over the years, stamped on the outside of it: You dropped this kiddo, show everyone out there just how great you are.

And Ruby did the one thing she never thought she’d do when reading the letter.

She laughed.

A big smile formed on her face, and then she sobbed, holding the letter close, feeling that enormous weight fall away from her shoulders. As she cried, Penny, Weiss, Blake, and Yang emerged and saw her there.

“Hey… you okay?” Penny asked her with a gentle voice, and Ruby smiled, and they all saw the letter in her hands, and smiled proudly.

“Yeah…” She sniffled, and her team and girlfriend all sat with her, giving her a warm hug.

After six years…

… Ruby finally felt like she could heal.

Because now she knew that despite the fact that she would never forgive him for what he did or the lie…

… but she didn’t want to hate him anymore.

And that was what hurt for so long.

For a soul as kind as Ruby Rose?

She never wanted to live out her days in bitterness… not like Valravn.

As she hugged her family, she could hear the Wind Chimes clinking together in the Blossom Tree, but now… she felt nothing…

… Valravn’s influence on her was gone.

… finally… Wind Chimes bring peace again…

… and not fear.

Chapter 58: Epilogue

Chapter Text

The Fleet of the Fallen

 

Several Weeks later…

Autumn leaves drifted through the air of a new world, freed from Salem and her tyrannical rule. The red leaf danced through the air, passing through the trees, towards a beautiful lake as the setting sun descended towards the horizon. And landing upon the chest of Cinder Fall, who was laid upon a boat, with dry straw beneath her, and flowers all around her.

And stood watching, were so many people. Many of them being people that Cinder had never even met in her life, but all… the whole world… had owed her for the sacrifice she made for them all. With concealer and makeup covering her wounds and burns from the Relic of Destruction, she looked as she did when she was happy, living on that farm before Salem’s eye started staring down at her once again.

Everyone was looking at the boat, clad in their mourning attire, all in black suits and dresses. Yang stood with Blake in a suit, her hair still growing back from when she defeated Adam Taurus. She held Blake’s hand in hers, her cybernetic arm not attached, because of waiting on a new arm being made by Pietro, who was here as well, in his chair with Penny stood beside him.

Vernal and Oscar both walked towards the boat, and Blake followed with Weiss beside her. The four of them approached Cinder’s side and crouched down beside her. Vernal smiled and cradled Cinder’s cheek, proud of the woman she chose to be in the end.

They all were.

They all placed their flowers in Cinder’s hands, and stood tall, with Blake and Weiss stood there for a few more seconds, never forgetting that it was Cinder who saved their lives that night when Beacon fell, and took them in. Fed them, and helped them heal, and gave them a home for six years amidst the darkness.

Pyrrha stood with Jaune, looking at the Cinder, then she walked forward with Ruby to lay their flowers upon her as well. Ruby smiled as she looked at Cinder’s face. “You did it…” she said with a proud smile, standing up with Pyrrha stood beside her, then they turned to see Amber emerging from the house with her flower. She walked slowly down the path, past everyone. She looked up to see Emerald and Mercury, both with tears in their eyes as they looked at Cinder.

It felt like she was walking for miles and miles to get to Cinder’s side, but seeing Ruby stood there helped her reach her goal. Ruby gently caressed Amber’s back as she walked past her and stepped aside. Amber walked to the side of the boat, and she slowly placed her flower on Cinder’s ear, just as she used to for her when she was little. Tears welled in her eyes, and she lovingly wrapped her arms around her mother, closing her eyes as she quietly cried.

“I love you mom…” Amber sniffled, then kissing Cinder’s forehead. She took a few steps back with Pyrrha and she looked up at her. Pyrrha smiled and the two of them pressed their hands against the boat together, and pushed it slowly into the water. The boat floated away peacefully as a Raven flew overhead, following the boat.

As Pyrrha watched the Raven following the boat with Cinder, her eyes drifted, and atop the cliffs, she saw them.

The Brothers Grimm.

Light and Darkness both stood upon the cliffs, also watching the boat as it floated away. They owed her as well, perhaps more than anyone else on Remnant did, and hopefully they would remember the time… when a mortal human who believed herself to be cruel and selfish… selflessly gave her life without hesitation, to save the world.

Perhaps now, the Brother of Darkness understood the true significance of life, and how brave it can truly be.

Pyrrha looked away from them and continued to pay her respects to her fallen leader. As they watched, Weiss walked to Amber’s side, with Myrtenaster in her grasp. Amber looked up at her and she nodded, wiping the tears away. Weiss reached into one of her pouches, and pulled out a vial of glowing red fire dust, and gently lined the blade of her sword with it. Flames danced across the blade, crackling gently, reflecting off the tears in her eyes.

She raised her sword and closed her eyes, letting a stray tear trickle down her cheek, but then her smile returned once more. “Thank you.” She whispered, casting three small fireballs that swirled around each other like gentle fireflies. They passed across the lake towards the boat and nuzzled themselves into the straw, igniting the boat.

Everyone quietly watched as the fires burned, Eryka watching with Winter, both in their suits as the boat burned away, and Dutch stood on the deck of the cabin with his hands behind his back. There were some News Crews here as well, filming the event for the entire world to pay their respects to the Hero of Remnant. Taiyang stood close by as well, with Ghira and Kali, and they all watched as multiple other boats were released into the same waters, just as Cinder.

One for Li Ren, for his sacrifice in defeating Icarus, with Ren and Nora pushing the boat out into the water, with his bow and cane inside, for there was no body left to recover.

Another for Lavinia Vasillias, which Eryka approached with Roland, also pushing the boat out into the sea.

Another for Sashaa, pushed out by the Warriors of the Summit’s Claim.

One for Vine, pushed out by Marrow and Fiona, his lack of a body replaced by Marrow’s Ace Ops badge, for Vine was the only one of the Ace Ops who stayed true to what that name used to be.

And another for Robyn Hill, which was pushed out by Joanna and May.

Their boats all burned, and even though she lost her life, Saphron wanted to have a more private funeral for Terra, one for her family to say goodbye to in peace, without the cameras.

And finally… the seven boats were pushed out into the lake.

For Sun, Neptune, Scarlet, Sage, Russel, Dove and Sky Lark.

The ones… who they couldn’t save. And in place of their lost bodies, they could not use their weapons, so they used pictures of their lost loved ones in place.

The Fleet of the Fallen.

The Summit’s Claim Archers all drew their fire bows, and their Altum Eagles jumped from their perches and flew towards the arrows, clasping them just as they fired, and ignited into giant burning Phoenixes, dazzling the lake in a gorgeous orange glow, setting the boats alight, an old belief of Remnant, to free one’s aura after death… the body must be burnt… and the sea would carry the soul to the Great Beyond.

Whether or not there was truth to such a belief?

Nobody knows…

… but it was the tribute that mattered.

A chance to say goodbye.

Ruby exhaled shakily as a tear trickled down from her eye, then she felt relieved as Penny clasped her hand. Penny rested her head on Ruby’s shoulder as they stood together, watching the funeral as everyone drifted away.

Sienna stood with Ilia as well, also paying her respects to them and the brave soldiers who gave their lives this day. They looked up to see the lanterns rising from the City of Vale, hundreds of them… and across the world in each kingdom and town. The same was happening. Wherever someone brave who died in the Battle against Salem, Lanterns were rising. They shone brightly as they floated high into the sky.

And with that… the Fleet of the Lost had come to an end.

As everyone spoke, and spent time with each other, Dutch continued to stand where he was, his hands pressed against the railing, looking out across at the lake. He looked at his reflection in a puddle beneath him, touching the scar from the bullet that Killian shot him with, and the permanent blindness in his eye, clouding it completely. He exhaled, feeling relieved to even be alive.

But there was still much to do.

And now it was on his shoulders to make sure that nothing like this would ever repeat itself. They had to learn… no more Black Gallows… no more Feral Ones… no more Salems. He had to make sure that all powerful objects were stored away safely in Heimdall’s Box.

“Hey…” Ruby spoke as she approached. She was with the Happy Huntresses as well.

“Hello, Miss Rose.” Dutch said as he looked at her.

“C’mon.” She chuckled.

“Okay… Ruby.” He corrected.

“You wanted to speak to me?” She asked.

“That’s right. As you probably know, there is still a lot that needs to be done to keep Remnant safe. Salem may be gone but the Grimm are still out there. But with the Tar Pits sealed up with that strange crystalline structure… we may be able to ensure that nobody ever dies to a Grimm ever again.” Dutch explained.

“What are you suggesting?” Ruby asked.

“A task force… to hunt down the remaining Grimm in the world, and stop them from ever harming us again.” Dutch explained.

“That may be hard… the public may be more accepting of Huntsmen and Huntresses now that Salem’s gone, but there are still thousands of people out there who believed in what Salem was preaching. And odds are that they will fight against the reinstatement of Huntsmen and Huntress Academies.” Ruby explained.

“Well… in truth, they concern me as well. Robyn was not wrong with her concerns, and honestly, I had hoped that with Killian’s global threat to destroy the Kingdoms… that it would have turned everyone against Salem. But there are still many who are against us.” Dutch explained.

“You think another war could come?” Joanna asked.

“I don’t know, I hope not. Most likely… terrorists… extremists continuing to preach her gospel. We have to be ready for that eventuality.” Dutch explained. “That… and there are still secrets out there, one’s left behind by Killian, Salem and Ozpin. The Black Gallows network may be gone, and all the data stored in it, but physical data remains. We need to make sure that everything out there is contained safely.”

“What kind of information would they have?” May asked.

“I don’t know, but the little I know about the Off Limits Information that Killian was in charge of? There’re lots of things in there the public shouldn’t know. Ozpin creating Hazel… the Black Cells… things like that falling into the wrong hands? I don’t want to even imagine it.” Dutch explained.

“Well… Penny’s gonna be running Heimdall’s Box with Oscar and Pietro… and all I’ve ever known is Huntress Work. So I guess this is close enough. So… you got my help.” Ruby assured with a smile.

“Count all of us in.” Fiona answered Joanna and May nodding.

“Me too.” Marrow agreed as he approached.

“Us too.” Emerald and Mercury said, surprising them all.

“Really?” Ruby asked.

“Cinder gave her life for a better world… it’s the least we can do.” Emerald said with a nod.

It wasn’t many people, but it was a start.

Pyrrha sat with Jaune, Nora and Ren, looking at the sinking boats after the flames burnt them away, letting embers rise high into the dark sky, seemingly becoming more lanterns as they shimmered with them.

It was a beautiful sight.

“What’s the plan, then?” Ren asked them.

“Dutch has secured the two of us somewhere to live, to keep Jaune safe for the time being. Time to give him a new identity, help him come to terms with things. It’ll take some time… but I think it’ll work. But for me? I think… I want to use my skills for something less.. traumatic.” Pyrrha said with a chuckle.

“What do you mean?” Nora asked.

“I’m gonna try to become a teacher… schools still have combat classes, and maybe there will be a day where they won’t be necessary. But until that day comes, I want to make sure that I can teach people the things I know to keep themselves safe. Even in a world without Grimm… people are still a danger to fear.” Pyrrha explained.

“I think you’d be a good teacher.” Ren said with a smile.

“Thanks… I hope so. It’d just be nice to… have a more relaxing life… compared to what we’ve had to do.” Pyrrha explained.

“Well, you two especially. Few people can say they’ve died and come back before.” Nora joked, making Pyrrha chuckle.

“What about you two?” Jaune asked.

Nora looked at Ren and held his hand. “We’re gonna go back to the Summit’s Claim… help them get back on their feet. And I’ve… had this idea…” Ren explained.

“Oh?” Pyrrha asked.

“One day… if we’re able to rid Remnant of the Grimm? I want to go home… to Kuroyuri… and rebuild it. Make it the paradise it once was.” Ren explained.

Pyrrha smiled.

“Well, you ever need help. You know where to find us.” Pyrrha said.

“Hell yeah.” Jaune agreed.

“Same right back at ya. Let us know when you start building the house. We’ll be there.” She promised.

As Jaune sat there, he turned and saw Eryka and Cardin both sat down next to each other. Eryka wasn’t staring at him, but Cardin was, for a few moments, but he looked away. It wasn’t hate in his eyes, it was fear. Jaune looked away and clenched his fists, shaking his head.

Eryka stared down at the floor, sighing as she kept her fists clenched. Winter was speaking with Weiss, and Cardin cleared his throat. “So… how are things with you and Winter?” He asked her.

“Okay…” she began, then she sighed. “I snapped at her after the battle… I still regret it.”

“Did you apologise?” He asked.

“Yeah and she was understanding… but…”

“You still wish you hadn’t said it?”

“Yeah… pretty much.”

Cardin looked at Winter and saw her look at Eryka and smile lovingly at her. “Well… coming from the mouth of a man who’s never ever known love like that… but if you ask me? She loved you unconditionally. So cut yourself some slack.” He said to her, making Eryka chuckle.

“Sure.” She sighed, then she looked at his arm.

Cardin smiled. “Weiss looks happy.” He said.

“Yeah… I was talking to her earlier, she’s not taking on the S.D.C, not after her father… or her Uncle…” she said, remembering that Watts was a Schnee as well, Willow’s Brother.

“What’s she gonna do then?” Cardin asked.

“Be a singer. Even though her father used her singing talents to boost the company’s image… she admitted she loved to sing. Maybe now she can really enjoy singing without fearing her father’s shadow, judging every lyric.” Eryka explained.

He nodded his head. “Good for her.” Cardin said.

“How about you? You okay?”

“No… I don’t think I ever will be.” He admitted, touching the stump left behind from when Salem cut his arm off back at Beacon. “I was hoping to see them all again… not to see their names on those boats…” Cardin sighed, then his voice darkened into a growl, staring at Jaune again. “… and definitely not for him to be given a second chance.”

“C’mon, man…”

“No, Eryka… you didn’t see what I saw.” Cardin said.

It wasn’t him… it was Thaddeus.” Eryka defended.

“Not all of it… he remembered us… things only Jaune would know… made us think he was helping us escape… only to purposely get us caught by Tyrian, and watched… laughing… as Tyrian tortured us all night.” Cardin explained, his fists shaking. “Why does he get to go scot-free when seven good men…” He paused himself, his voice shaking with his fist, a tear trickling from his eye.

He forced himself up and kept staring at Jaune, and walked away. “And you know I’m right…” He said as he walked away.

Eryka stared at Jaune, and then she looked at her scarred hands. Then she sighed, not even sure how to explain the emotions in her chest right now.

All she knew was…

… that she couldn’t say that she didn’t feel the same feelings as Cardin.

She stood up from the chair and walked away and approached Winter. Jaune watched as they spoke, not hearing what they were saying, but Winter smiled and kissed her, before saying, “Go.”

Eryka walked away from them and Jaune stood up and walked towards her. “Jaune wait…”

“Eryka…” Jaune said, but she didn’t even look back at him. She just kept walking, before blasting off into the sky. Ruby walked over to Jaune’s side. Then the Relic of Choice glowed blue, and Jinn appeared beside Ruby.

“A cave… a deep dark cave…” Jinn said, and Ruby exhaled.

“Let’s hope she can find her way out too… like he did…” Ruby said.

Dutch stood with the Happy Huntresses, looking at where Eryka left, then he turned when he heard one of his Operatives approach. “Sir.” The Operative began.

“What’ve you got?” Dutch asked, turning to him.

The Operative took a second to answer.

“That sounds like bad news.” Dutch sighed.

“Afraid so.” The Operative agreed.

“Okay. Let’s take this elsewhere. Let these people mourn.” Dutch said.

“It… may be best to bring Mr Black with us, sir. He gave us some intel… and he will want to see this.” The Operative said. Dutch turned to Mercury and he nodded, giving Emerald a kiss on the cheek.

“Make sure Amber’s okay, yeah? I’ll be right back.” He assured.

“Okay.” she answered, turning to Amber who was sitting down, looking at the lake, holding a photograph of her and Cinder when they went fishing a few years ago. “Hey… how’re you feeling?” Emerald asked her.

Amber sniffled.

“Okay, yeah, that was a dumb question.” Emerald chuckled.

“No, it’s okay… I’m… weirdly not as sad as I thought I was gonna be…” Amber sniffled, wiping a tear away.

“Why’s that?” Emerald asked.

“Ruby was right… getting to say goodbye… it helps. And… seeing everyone here? Whenever she talked about herself, she was always so harsh… saying she was a bad person… a selfish person… she seemed to hate herself so much. But she was the best person in the world to me. Seeing so many people here, saying goodbye to her as well? The amount of lives she touched? I don’t think she ever imagined her send off would be so… beautiful.” Amber said with a radiant smile.

“It’s what she deserves.” Emerald said, wrapping her arm around Amber’s shoulders and holding her close.

“I’ll always miss her. But… I’m proud that she was the mom who chose me.” Amber said with a cheerful smile.

Watching as an Autumn Leaf floated past her, following the embers that carried away into the sky.

 

Dutch

 

Dutch entered the car that they parked outside the District where the lake was, getting inside with Marrow and Mercury with him. The Operative took the wheel and drove them to Pietro’s Lab, the newly named Heimdall’s Box.

Still undergoing vast renovations, it was encased with scaffolding and, with many people still working on the structure, alongside a massive crew digging out a subterranean structure to store the highly valuable… and high risk… relics.

Including the Brother of Darkness’ Horn.

Mercury looked out the window, seeing the Tar Pits that were once a common sight in every single city and town across Remnant, now completely coated in this dark purple crystal. Scientists were examining it, even striking the crystals with Sledgehammers, but nothing would even dent them. Which gave them quite a lot of relief, knowing that this crystalline structure was extremely strong.

But at the same time, it was a complete unknown; they had never seen such an element before. Undoubtedly created by the Brother of Darkness. “Are the Tar Pits still… alive?” Mercury asked.

“Yes, they’re just sealed up by those crystals. Nothing is coming out of them anymore, but… there’s definitely still activity. But it’s like they’re dormant. We have plans to rig up some sensors onto all of them, connecting them to a central alarm in case they start waking up. We need to be ready for anything.” Dutch explained.

“How many Grimm are still out there?” Mercury asked.

“Hundreds of Thousands.” Dutch answered.

“But they all fled into the wilds, they’re still out there. We’re gonna have to hunt them down to make Remnant safe from them.” Marrow explained.

“Won’t be easy…” Mercury sighed.

“Especially as the years go on and they get older, and more powerful. Hopefully, we can eliminate them all before that’s a problem. Only issue… is the lack of military and Huntsmen in the world now. When the Black Gallows fell, the entire Military Network fell with them. We’re all we’ve got… and I doubt lots of Ex Huntsmen and Huntresses are gonna stand up to the plate after the past six years of everyone trying to kill them. We’re gonna need to think of something good.” Dutch explained.

They parked outside of Heimdall’s Box, and they all exited the vehicle and walked inside of the Lab. They all went upstairs to where they found a small security room with a wall of screens before them. The Operative pulled out the chair and sat down.

“Alright, what’ve you got?” He asked.

“There’s been a killing.” The Operative revealed.

“A killing?” Mercury asked.

“Yeah… we looked into it and… well… it’s some scary shit.” The Operative stated, bringing up the images they took. It was a man, splayed out across his bed, covered in stab wounds, and blood everywhere.

“Fuck…” Mercury gasped.

“Lemme guess… a Salem Follower did this?” Dutch asked, fully expecting this to be the first murder of that calibre.

“No… I looked into who this man was. He was a Spider, one of Lil Miss Malachite’s spies. He did some nasty shit, but kept his head under the radar. I looked into the Malachites and learned that they were involved with someone that we haven’t had anything about in a long time.” He explained, bringing up a new image.

Mercury’s eyes widened.

“Who’s that?” Marrow asked.

“Roman Torchwick…” Mercury answered, seeing the security footage of him when he robbed the Old Shopkeep in Vale ten years ago.

“Yes, and there are many other Spiders out there. Lil Miss Malachite was an old enemy of Roman’s, and she nearly had him killed on many occasions. I think… she’s going after old enemies, cutting off loose ends.” The Operative explained.

“She?” Marrow asked.

Dutch narrowed his eyes. “Neopolitan… she was arrested after the attempted attack on Beacon ten years ago, responsible for the murder of Jaymes Ickford’s teammate, Rouge. Using her as a disguise to murder Ruby Rose, but ultimately failing thanks to Cardin Winchester saving her life. For the past ten years she was kept in the Black Cells in Evernight.” Dutch explained.

“I saw her in there… when I was helping C.P.P.R get out of their cells and unlock the armoury for them to get their weapons. I looked into the security feed… she was… well… she’s fucking lost it in there. You’re saying that… she’s back?” Mercury asked with fear in his voice.

“I’d stake my life on it.” The Operative answered.

Dutch inhaled as he stared at the picture of Neopolitan, the last known image of her when she was in the Black Cell.

Her hair was unkempt, eyes wide… and grinning maniacally.

“Looks like our problems are only growing… she made it out before the castle burned down… must have just snuck away with her semblance with nobody noticing her. Now she’s out there… and my fear… is that her last target will be Ruby.” Dutch explained.

“Not if we catch her first.” Marrow said.

 

Blake

 

A few days later…

In the darkness of a cell, Adam Taurus sat in the shadows, just as he did ten years ago after the Battle of Beacon, the back of his head pressed against the wall. He could hear the Menagerie Birds singing outside.

He exhaled, then turned when he heard the metallic clang on the bars of his cell. “Comfy?” Yang asked him, with her brand new Cybernetic Arm now attached, still chrome due to it coming in the mail only this morning. Adam stared back at her, one of his horns permanently broken off, and still covered with healing scratches and bruises from their brutal battle. Blake approached the cell as well, with a new and more stylish black and gold blindfold over her blinded eyes.

“With everything going on the past few weeks, we haven’t had the chance to speak. So I guess we should finally talk to you now.” Blake explained.

“What is there to say?” Adam hoarsely asked.

“Plenty.” Yang answered, touching her still growing blonde hair for a second.

“The Feral Ones are still out there, and without their leader they’re running amok, but I’m sure that soon someone will replace you as their leader. Whether or not they try to break you out, it doesn’t matter, because they won’t get close enough. Without the Black Gallows and their equipment, the Feral Ones are a shell of what they once were. The White Fang will ensure that they don’t hurt anybody anymore, Human or Faunus.” Blake explained, staring at his weak aura.

She could tell just by seeing his aura and feeling his emotions… that something was different. It was like he was becoming accustomed to the space of a cell, perhaps due to how much he had been stuck in one in his life. But also… there was little emotion in there. No sadness, no hate… nothing at all.

Was he broken?

She couldn’t really tell. Adam was always a hard man to read.

“And things are going to be better. We’re going to make Menagerie… Remnant as a whole… a better place for everyone. Equality for Humanity and Faunus, and we’re never going to make the mistakes of the past.” Blake explained.

Finally, Adam showed some sort of reaction, as he quietly laughed at that, showing his doubts. “Something funny?” Yang asked him.

“The fact you think… that Humans will ever accept the Faunus as equals… that’s what’s funny. Humans will never change… and eventually she will prove that fact to you, Blake.” Adam stated.

“Even now you still think you have it all figured out, huh?” Yang scoffed.

“I know human nature.” Adam retorted.

“Bullshit, the only nature you know is your own…” Yang stated. “I know people here and in the White Fang will take issue with my relationship with Blake… but I don’t care. I want what’s best for them, and I love Blake. I have for a long time. So you can sit in there, listen and watch as we thrive without you. I could’ve killed you, believe me, I wanted to… but you’re proof. Proof that we’re better than Salem, and her followers… and that we even give monsters like you a chance.” Yang explained, and Adam just stared back at her.

Blake looked at him and he stared right back at her, but he just sighed, looking away. “Think on your actions, Adam… and I hope that for your sake… you come to realise that your actions have consequences.” Blake said as she walked away with Yang.

As they left, he waited until the door slammed shut, and he sighed.

“… I know…”

Blake and Yang walked away from the prison cell, where Ghira and Kali were waiting with Sienna and Ilia. “You’re stepping down again?” Ilia asked Sienna.

“Yes, end of the day I was needed for conflict, my strategy… but in peacetime, my strengths of leadership are a bit hit or miss. But don’t worry, I’m not becoming a hermit in the Desert again. I’ll stay right here. If you would allow it… I would like to help lead the White Fang against the Feral Ones when they undoubtedly attempt to fight us again. I fear a Civil War is inevitable.” Sienna requested.

“Granted.” Ghira agreed. “A worthy position.”

They turned to see Blake and Yang approach. “Hey you two.” Kali greeted.

“Hi, Mrs Belladonna.” Yang replied with a nervous smile, still shy around Blake’s parents.

“When will you ever stop being so timid around us?” Kali asked.

“Uuuuuh…” Yang stammered, then Blake giggled.

“C’mon mom, don’t torture her.” Blake giggled.

“Oh shucks, you’re adorable, y’know?” Kali laughed, giving Yang a warm hug. Yang laughed as well, welcoming the hug.

“I see the new arm finally arrived. As good as the last?” Ghira asked her, which made Yang chuckle.

“I think it feels lighter, gotta give it to Pietro. Man does good work.” Yang said, flexing her metal arm, making Blake and Ilia giggle.

“Y’know since we were on the topic… when do you think you’ll be ready to take the reins from your father? You’ve shown your strength for leadership.” Sienna asked her.

“Huh?” Blake asked nervously.

“Sienna is stepping down as Co-High leader with Ghira, opting to be the White Fang’s General.” Ilia answered.

“I had a feeling you were planning on that.” Yang said.

“Gods, am I that obvious?” Sienna chuckled.

“I… I don’t know if I’m ready for being the High Leader…” Blake stammered.

“Fair enough…” Sienna said.

“Should you ever wish to, though, I will happily help you understand the ropes.” Ghira assured, which made Blake smile.

“Does she get the cool coat?” Yang asked.

“We can have one made for her. You too.” Kali said, which made Yang immediately look at Blake with a big smile.

“Yang…”

“What? Cool coat!”

Everyone laughed at that. “Sounds like you got no choice now, Blake.” Sienna said as she walked with them.

“Just sayyyyin’. Would make for a real cute birthday present.” Yang teased.

“Oh, gods, please just kill me now.” Blake groaned with a slight laugh.

As they walked, Yang looked down one of the alleys, and her smile dropped as she stopped. “Uh… guys?” She asked, getting their attention. “… I don’t remember that being there.” She said.

Everyone joined Yang and looked at what she spotted, and spray painted on the wall were the words:

Salem Is Still Our Queen

It sent chills up their spines as Kali read it out, and upon hearing it, Blake clenched her hand into a fist. “Robyn really was right… of course, killing Salem wouldn’t be the end of our problems. There are still people who think she was right, and even in death, they serve her.” Yang stated.

“The Feral Ones and Salem’s Acolytes…” Blake sighed.

“I’ll go arrange a meeting with the Council, then I’ll contact Dutch about what we’ve found.” Ghira said, walking away with Kali and Sienna. Ilia patted Blake on the shoulder as she walked away with them.

Yang turned to Blake, and she lifted her head slightly with her thumb under her chin. “Hey… we’re in this together. I’m not going anywhere, and we’re gonna make sure that this is fixed.” Yang promised.

Yang caressed her cheek, and Blake held onto Yang’s hand there, smiling, before pulling Yang close for a long and passionate kiss, and pressing their heads together as they broke their kiss.

“Sounds like a deal.” Blake said, smiling adoringly at Yang, then being kissed by Yang again, laughing between each kiss.

 

Jaune

 

Midday in Vale…

The verdant fields seemed to stretch out for miles, and they could see the City of Vale in the distance. The location gave Pyrrha flashbacks of Cinder’s Farmstead, which Amber was already gifted thanks to Dutch’s strings he could pull, and they were already repairing the place for her, Vernal and Oscar to stay at, with Weiss as well until she can afford a place for herself.

In fact, this land was not very far from Amber’s Home, however this was no Farmstead, but a lonely log house. This was clearly an old abandoned structure, one that must have been home to some sort of Grimm, judging by the old black blood stains against the wall. But whatever once lived here was long dead. Pyrrha and Jaune got out from the car that Dutch brought them here in, and the other car opened behind them, with Ren, Nora, Weiss Ruby and Penny joining them.

“It’s run down, but I’ve already paid for everything you need to tidy this place up. I would have had it done for you, but like Pyrrha pointed out, that would kinda mess up the whole under the radar thing we’re trying to accomplish here.” Dutch explained, chuckling.

“No, thank you, truly. We can sort this out.” Pyrrha assured, they opened the loose door and walked inside. The windows were cracked and the log walls would need replacing, and the interior was going to need a huge refurbishment.

“Well… nothing a little duster can’t fix.” Weiss joked.

“Outside all the logs to replace the walls of the house, and everything else needed is out there. If you ever need anything else, just let me know.” Dutch said. “You know my door is always open to you.”

“Dutch… thank you, so much for this.” Pyrrha said, pressing her hand to his shoulder as he walked past her. He smiled lightly.

“It’s the least I can do.” He said, walking away to leave with his men, driving off.

“Man, this place is a wreck.” Ruby chuckled.

“It is now… but… look how big it is.” Penny pointed out with a big smile. “We fix this place up? It’s gonna be a beautiful home.”

Jaune exhaled shakily. “So… where do we start?”

Silence fell.

“No clue.” Nora answered.

Minutes turned to hours, and the found family worked together, using the many instructions left behind for them on what to do. And lots of trial and error, but they worked together. Cleaning the Black Blood Stains off the floor and dismantling the house that was barely held together. Nora effortlessly carried the logs away and tossed them to the side, and they started reconstructing the house.

Hours turned to days.

And as they worked together, more people came to help them. Blake and Yang came by with Ilia when they had some days off, helping build the house. Even Team C.F.V and Winter came round to help. Taiyang, Ghira and Kali joined Blake and Yang some days to help with the heavy lifting, and Oscar even found some time to help.

Even Amber helped.

But Cardin and Eryka were nowhere to be seen.

Days turned to weeks as the house was put together, new windows fitted, and decorations put on the outside. Interior walls painted with lovely colours, and new furniture fitted, and a stunning fireplace to keep them warm in the colder days of winter.

And finally… after weeks of hard work… the house was complete.

And they hosted a big dinner for everyone. Jaune smiled more than he had in the time he had been resurrected by the Brother of Darkness, happy to be alive with everyone here. They all toasted their drinks, with Winter sat with Weiss. And even though Eryka wasn’t here, she still wrapped them up a thoughtful present.

As they conversed, Jaune smiled, and he wiped his mouth and hands with his cloth, and whispered in Pyrrha’s ear. “Just gonna take a leak.” He whispered.

“Thank you for the update, Jaune.” She joked, and he winked as he walked away. It was the most normal things had felt in the time he was back. It was a good day.

He washed his hands and splashed his face with the water. He exhaled and lifted his head and looked at his reflection.

And for a brief second.

Saw Thaddeus staring right back at him, a maniacal smirk on his face. Jaune jolted, his eyes widening, but just as he blinked… Thaddeus was gone. But his hairs stood on end, and he knew what he saw.

He stared at his reflection, then looked closer, pulling his bottom eyelid down, staring at the reflection of his iris.

And for a moment… he saw the scars and his blue eye… flicker purple.

He jolted again… realising the truth…

… the Salem Knight power…

… it wasn’t gone.

But the question was… was Thaddeus still alive as well?

It was such a wonderful day…

 

The Last One…

 

In the charred remnants of Evernight…

Smoke still filled the air, but the fires had finally stopped burning. Salem’s body was left exactly where she fell, her corpse now surrounded by the exact same purple crystals that sealed the Tar Pits. And no sign of decay seemed to happen.

Whispers filled the air.

As inside of Evernight itself… the truth was just out of their reach.

In the Ampitheater… the sunlight shone inside through the roof, showing the blood stains where Tyrian butchered Teams S.S.S.N, Russel, Dove and Sky Lark.

But the ceiling collapsed, hiding the truth, as past the rubble… shrouded in the darkness when they fought… there were bloody footprints leading away.

They weren’t… all dead.

One… only one… was still alive… somewhere out there…

And a bloody handprint smeared across the mask of the last statue of Salem’s Knights left standing.

The Deacon.

 

To be Concluded…

In Eclipse – Act 4 – The Deacon

 

Series this work belongs to: