Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Series:
Part 4 of Love Both Gentle & Sure
Stats:
Published:
2020-10-17
Updated:
2021-05-01
Words:
13,281
Chapters:
17/74
Comments:
115
Kudos:
314
Bookmarks:
39
Hits:
6,708

LBG&S Shorts & Sidestories

Chapter 14: Jiang Yanli At Koi Tower (Part 3)

Summary:

Jiang Yanli learns how the female servants at Koi Tower manage around Jin Guangshan.

Please read Trigger Warnings for this chapter.

Notes:

TW: implied rape/non-con, dub-con; references to past rape/non-con; ongoing issues with power imbalances forcing dub-con; references to past and/or potential underage.

Basically - Jin Guangshan, folks.

This is my actual HC for how the servants at KT managed to deal with him in canon. I HC that the ladies who chose to step up and take one for the team were very appreciated and respected by their fellows; because they were very well-aware that it was only because of those girls' sacrifices that they themselves could remain untouched.

Chapter Text

Over the past few years, Jiang Yanli had become quite well-acquainted with the servants at Koi Tower. Many of them, she even considered friends.

Of course, it was the same sort of friendship as she had with those back in Lotus Pier – a friendship that almost was, but not quite; simply because the differences in their status meant that they could never truly be equals. It seemed unfair to her, and she cried the day she realised it; but there was nothing she could do.

Nothing; except to be as kind, and helpful, and thoughtful towards them as she could.

To treat them with all the respect and dignity she believed they deserved.

Some of that stemmed from her opinion of people in general. But another part of it drew from the sacrifices and circumstances she learned about from them.

She was aware that not many people of her status would agree with her.

Many of her peers mocked and laughed at her for preferring the company of servants; as if it were somehow a failing that she preferred the company of honest, hard-working, good people, over that of the ones with badly-concealed mean streaks who lied, gossiped, and belittled others. But in Koi Tower, she found that the character of the serving class was generally far more genuine and morally superior to that of those who held status above them.

While there were even occasionally vague insinuations made about her virtue, they were infrequent; as spreading such rumours falsely was one of the few topics of gossip that could actually result in severe punishment for those foolish enough to start or spread them. It was much safer for them to decry her as being dull, plain, and stupid; talentless, mediocre, and other such insults.

Impinging upon the honour of the daughter of a leader of one of the Five Great Sects – who also happened to be the betrothed of the heir to their own; and much beloved by Jin-furen at that – would be inviting consequences far too serious for anyone to be willing to risk it.

The only reason the topic was ever referred to even obliquely was because Jin-zhongzhu behaved as though the maids – or in fact any other female staff member – at Koi Tower was automatically expected to be sexually available to him at his whim, simply by virtue of their positions; and there were those among his cohort and in his sect who followed his example. Since there was always someone who was willing to serve in that capacity when called for, it led to the serving staff in Koi Tower being viewed as having little more worth than stand-in prostitutes; though it was not something that was ever openly discussed, even among the gentry.

Jiang Yanli would never forget the day she learned of this, or of the reason that the serving staff seemed to be perpetuating the misunderstanding by agreeing to serve in this manner.

Despite the ugliness and immorality of carrying out such duties, what she learned that day would stay with her for the rest of her life; and it left her with a deep and profound respect and admiration for the honourable women who had been abused in such a way.

Not because having been abused made them honourable – though she respected their strength and courage to overcome what had been done to them – but they were honorable because they chose to take their tragedies and use them to protect others. To sacrifice themselves and endure shame and dishonour, all to save other girls from their fate.

They took what should have been weaknesses and turned them into strengths.

After learning just how such things were handled by the servants in Koi Tower, Yanli could only ever view them with the deepest respect; even as she felt repulsed by the members of the gentry who failed to offer them any help or protection themselves.

Never would she degrade or look down upon those who were forced to sell themselves by circumstances beyond their control. But then, she had witnessed a very blatant, undeniable example of the cost and the intentions that could lie behind such an act.

It happened not long after she had been asked not to go around Koi Tower unaccompanied anymore, or allow herself to be alone with Jin-zhongzhu – just under a year later.

Since that day, every time she wanted to go somewhere in Koi Tower, one of the servants insisted on escorting her. Though she did not realise why at the time, her companion was inevitably one of the older maids – not one of the elderly ones; but an adult. A grown woman.

Occasionally her escort would be a bit younger; not quite fully-grown, but always someone older than her. Those days, her escort would guide her through the paths the servants used; out of sight from the main rooms where one might encounter residents or guests of the tower. They would be quiet and careful, quickly making their way back to her rooms without being seen.

On one of those days, she was walking with Hou Lihua – a very beautiful, mature sixteen year old; one who appeared older than her years. She was also unfailingly kind and gentle.

Yanli liked Lihua-jie - she was sweet, and shy; but also very caring. As an older sister herself, Lihua made her feel as though she were a younger sibling to be protected. It was a strange reversal of her usual role, but Yanli loved it.

Lihua-jie was her favourite.

They were almost back to the rooms Yanli stayed in, when they heard a shriek.

For a moment, Lihua froze.

There were other sounds – a thud against the wall of the room they were passing; a young, frightened voice crying; the low sound of a man speaking in a cajoling tone.

Something strange and horrible curled within her, even if she wasn't quite sure what was happening.

An indefinable look came into Lihua-jie's eyes then, and her face spasmed.

Closing her eyes, she shuddered. Drew in a steadying breath, then opened them again; filled with resolve.

Straightening her shoulders, she adjusted her dress, and with a hurried, “Wait here, Jiang-guniang,” Lihua-jie strode forward into the room.

Though she didn't mean to disobey, Yanli couldn't resist the urge to peek. To find out just what was going on.

Jin-zhongzhu was in the room.

He was leaning over a girl – Chan Meilin; a serving girl only slightly older than Yanli herself – who was shrinking away from him; trembling where he gripped her arm, tears running down her cheeks. She looked terrified.

But Yanli barely noticed; her attention caught by the odd note in Lihua-jie's voice as she called to the Jin Sect Leader.

“Ah- Jin Zhongzhu! Sorry to interrupt you; but Meilin is needed to escort Jiang-guniang right now. If Sect Leader is looking for some company, however…”

Lihua-jie was… she was acting strange.

The way she walked was different; something swaying in her motions; the breathy note in her voice as she drew close to Jin-zhongzhu; leaning against him in such a way the her ample chest pressed into his arm. She was smiling, peering up at him shyly from under her lashes.

It was nothing like she’d ever acted before.

And it was an act.

Yanli might have believed it; if she hadn't noticed the way Lihua-jie trembled, just slightly. The hint of fear that had flickered in her eyes before she ducked her head. The fake smile on her lips, and the unnatural note in her laugh.

Meilin was quick to bow and excuse herself, as Jin-zhongzhu turned his attention fully onto Lihua-jie. Ducking into the passage where Yanli was waiting, she grabbed the other girl's arm and quickly began pulling her along.

“Come with me, Jiang-guniang – quickly, please!”

Her face was pale, and her fingers clutched too tightly to Yanli’s arm. Her lips quivered; her eyes appeared wet. Yet her pace was swift; pulling her companion along unerringly back the way she had just come with Lihua, returning to the kitchens as fast as she could.

Uneasy from what she'd just witnessed, Yanli could not bring herself to object. Not when A-Mei looked ready to fall apart any second.

As they burst into the room, Meilin called out in a panic.

“Lihua-jie's with Jin-zhongzhu in the Butterfly Parlour!”

At once, there was a bustle, and one of Yanli’s more frequent escorts; a pretty young woman named Wang Feng, hurried back through the passage in the direction the girls had just left.

“What happened, A-Mei?” Qinue-po asked.

There was no judgement in her face or tone; only concern. She laid a gentle hand on Meilin’s shoulder as the serving girl began to shake and cry.

Without hesitating, the elderly woman pulled her into her arms, shushing and comforting her as the story spilled out.

“Jiang-guniang, are you still in need of an escort?”

It was Bao Xue; another of Yanli’s usual escorts. They had all been out earlier, when a message arrived saying that Jin-furen was looking for Yanli; which was why Lihua-jie had been accompanying her instead.

Nodding silently, the daughter of the Jiang Sect Leader knew that she was already late to meet Jin-furen. As much as she wished for answers right now, being polite to her host was more important.

Xue-jie led her back up towards the family wing of Koi Tower once more.

At first, they walked in silence.

“I suppose you have questions?”

Casting a furtive glance back at Xue-jie, Yanli could see a guarded expression on her face. She chose her words carefully.

“If I'm allowed to ask,” she answered cautiously. “I understand if you'd rather not answer.”

With a sigh, Xue-jie's shoulders dropped slightly.

“No... It’s alright. You were bound to see something sooner or later; better you hear the facts direct from the source.”

She nodded, and waited patiently for the woman walking with her to collect her thoughts.

“A lot of the girls here... end up in situations where... where our virtue is taken from us - one way or another.”

Head up, shoulders back; Xue-jie refused to be ashamed as she spoke. “We're just servants; if the nobility want something from us we don't get a choice. Fighting back just means you get injured into the bargain; though sometimes you can't help it.”

A deep breath.

“Those of us who've already been-- dishonored—do our best to shield those who haven't been. Especially the younger ones.”

Sadness flickered in her eyes.

“Whether that’s by making sure they aren't alone in any areas of the tower where they can be cornered, or by intervening when it happens despite our best efforts; we offer up the only incentive we can – ourselves. We're no longer pure, after all... the least we can do is give the younger, more innocent ones a chance to escape such things, by providing a more... developed target.”

She shook her head. “I suppose it makes it feel as though what happened to us means something that way. Like it can serve a good purpose; no matter how horrible and dirty it feels.”

Yanli wasn't sure what to say.

“Lihua-jie... she's sixteen.”

“Yes,” Xue-jie answered darkly. “She is. We did our best to protect her; kept her well away from Jin-zhongzhu – especially given how mature she looks for her age. But she was only fourteen winters when one of Jin-zhongzhu's nastier relatives spotted her and made sure to track her down alone.”

Exhaling sharply, remembered anger flickered in her eyes as she spoke.

“She was really bad off for a long time after – even after she healed up; she was terrified. But she had to work - a sick mother, a dead father, an elderly grandmother and five younger siblings at home. So she couldn't leave, and she couldn't afford to go anywhere else – they were just barely scraping by as it was.”

“But she was terrified of men for a long time after that. So we never asked her to help cover for any of the others; she wasn't ready, and she was still so young. Till now, she hasn't ever served as a distraction before; but she recently offered to start. Just wasn't expecting it to actually happen so soon.”

Sighing firefly, Xue-jie, rubbed her face with one hand.

Yanli swallowed.

“Will Feng-jie be able to help her get away from Jin-zhongzhu?”

“No.”

Xue-jie let out a brief snort.

“A-Hua’s beautiful, physically mature, and Jin-zhongzhu's never seen her before. He won't be letting her go till he's done with her; especially not after she offered herself up to him like that.”

Shaking her head once more, she explained, “A-Feng is going to try to keep her company. Offer to Jin-zhongzhu to join them - he'll hardly be put out to get two girls in his bed at once – so that A-Hua doesn't have to be alone with him. At least not this time. It's not much; but it’s the best we can do for her now.”

She paused in the corridor, just before they reached their exit.

“Do you understand enough for now?”

Blinking back tears, Yanli nodded.

“And I don't suppose I have to tell you not to say anything to Jin-furen, right? She can't discipline her husband, so she tends to take it out on us when this happens.”

Yanli shook her head vigorously.

“No... I won't tell.”

“Thank you, Jiang-guniang,” Xue-jie relaxed, and offered her a weak smile.

“No, I- thank you for trusting me.” After a moment's hesitation, she added, “I think you're all very brave, you know.”

The look of startled disbelief on Xue-jie's face made her look younger, more vulnerable than Yanli had ever seen her before. Then her face softened, and she smiled again. Small, but genuine.

“You're a rare gem, Jiang-guniang,” she said. “I've not met anyone quite like you before.”