Actions

Work Header

I thought that I was dreaming, when you said you loved me

Summary:

[“I hope this isn’t the last time we talk’?”

“It’s true, I hope every time we talk isn’t the last.”]

When the Venture launch explodes, everyone suspects the youngest Luthor is to blame.
Little does everyone know, just how well the Super and Luthor know each other.

A season 2 rewrite.

Notes:

Hello friends!!
I made a tumblr post about an idea I had and it got LOTS of love so I thought I would give it a shot and here we are!

This first chapter is very similar to 2x01 apart from the ending obviously. I'm not sure whether I will write more or leave it as a one shot. If I do continue the following chapters won't be as close to the show so don't worry that every chapter will just be like a recap of the episodes.

Most of season one is canon, except for the obvious exceptions of James/Kara trying to get together and Kara dating Adam (and anything else I forgot that I didn't think to mention). Again if I continue there probably will be snippets of Mon-el (I just didn't want to bring it in yet so let's pretend it hasn't quite happened yet), just to create some plot and angst and so on but do not fret this is purely supercorp fluff (and maybe smut if you're lucky).

Without further ado...

Chapter Text

“Hey Alex, any updates?” Kara asked her sister as she landed in the DEO next to her cousin. The two of them having returned from their visit with Cat; Kara was still internally cringing over that interaction.

“Oh yeah.” Alex had her ‘we got ‘em’ face on. “Guess who was supposed to be aboard the Venture but backed out last minute?”

Kara and Kal side eyed each other curiously, wondering if they were actually supposed to have any sort of idea. Kara was just about to shrug her shoulders dumbly when Alex rolled her eyes with a huff.

“Lena Luthor,” she answered her own question, looking like she had won the lottery, the corners of her mouth twitching up.

Kara’s face dropped along with her stomach. Lena Luthor? Beside her, Kal perked up; his spine stiffening in response to the familiar name.

“W-what?” Was all Kara managed to stutter out.

“Yup, she has to be behind this.” Alex stands tall, fists planted on her hips, mirroring Supergirl’s usual stance. Supergirl who was now shrinking in on herself.

Kal nodded in agreement while Kara did an impression of a fish out of water, unable to get any words out.

“Alex is right, you don’t know what the Luthor’s are capable of Kara. Clark Kent can pay her a visit, do some snooping and see what she’s up to,” he directed the last bit towards Alex who gave a stiff nod.

Alex turned back to the monitors before her, looking for any other traces of information. Kara’s brain was still in overdrive as Kal began walking to the balcony.

Lena Luthor was here? In National City? And she was meant to be on the Venture? Kara felt like she was spiralling. This was not how she expected her Monday to go. Sure, the Venture exploding was a surprise but not completely out of her usual wheelhouse. But Lena Luthor being in National City was a big deal, and nearly being on the Venture, an even bigger deal.

And now Kara’s cousin was on his way to see her, the sister of his mortal enemy.

“W-wait, Kal!” Kara suddenly called, jogging after him, “I’m coming with you.”

Kal’s brow furrowed as they stepped onto the balcony, “To see Luthor?”

Lena Luthor,” Kara gritted her teeth, “Yeah, like a tag along!” Yes, yes good, that doesn’t seem odd, right? “I could get some reporter experience, in the field, you know?” Kara cringed at her awkward fake breezy-ness, she really was a terrible liar.

“Uh, okay?” For an investigative reporter, Kal wasn’t all that curious or investigative. Without another word, he turned and took to the sky. Kara took a moment to let out a heavy breath, you got this Kara, before following in his wake.


The moment Kara laid eyes on Lena Luthor, it was like her breath simultaneously hitched and rushed out of her all at once. Her heart picked up speed and butterflies erupted in her stomach, she felt like a kid experiencing magic for the first time.

She was so distracted she didn’t even notice Kal had already begun questioning the young heiress.

“-perfectly reasonable reason I wasn’t aboard the Venture yesterday.” Her cool voice echoed as they stepped into her lavish office. Kara’s eyes roamed over the large floor to ceiling windows, admiring the beauty of the view, no wonder this is her office. The rest of the office was minimalistic but clearly expensive. Small trinkets here and there, a gorgeous white leather couch against the back wall, her stylish desk clearly the main attraction. “There was an emergency, regarding a ceremony I’m holding today, and I had to cancel,” the raven-haired beauty finished as she dropped her bag and coat onto buffet on the far side of the room.

“How lucky,” Clark gave a fake smile that made Kara bristle; she hated that smile.

“It wasn’t luck, Mister Kent, ‘lucky’ was Superman and Supergirl being there.” Kara caught the minute upturn of the younger Luthor’s lips, emerald eye’s flicking to her own only for a second.

“Uh- ceremony?” Kara blinked herself out of her daze, tilting her head in question to what Lena had previously stated. She shuffled on her feet, clutching her notepad nervously.

“Yes, I’m renaming my family company as we make the move to bring headquarters to National City,” she answered. One eyebrow raised as her eyes raked over Kara with a sly grin, “and who are you exactly?” Lena stepped past them, her heels clicking on the concrete below her. She poured herself a glass of water from the decanter as Kara answered her.

“I uh- Kara Danvers,” why the hell could she not get her words out?! Focus, Kara, “With Catco media, sort of.” Fiddling with her glasses, a nervous tick she was really trying to work on, Kara followed Lena’s movements as she rounded her desk.

“That’s a publication not known for its hard-hitting journalism-” she teased as she sat down in her chair gracefully. She did everything with such poise, it was incredible “-more like ‘high waisted jeans; yes or no?’

Kara felt herself blush against her will, dropping her head with an awkward chuckle. She adjusted her glasses once more, “I’m just tagging along.”

“Well,” Lena drawled, eyes looking Kara up and down before moving to Clark, “as thrilling as this has been, let’s get to the real reason you’re here Mister Kent. Did I have anything to do with the Venture explosion?” Lena’s previously amused expression gave way to a hard exterior, a true CEO persona if Kara had ever seen one.

“Did you?” Clark pressed.

Kara tried not to show her frustrations, hating how he already seemed to have his mind made up. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? Apparently not for a Luthor. The notepad in her hands was crumpled beyond repair, the pen close to snapping. She really needed to cool it.

“You wouldn’t be asking me if my last name was Smith,” Lena rolled her eyes, clearly used to this type of questioning.

“Well it’s not,” Clark rebutted, looking almost smug, “It’s Luthor.”

Kara looked to Clark, feeling her eyes begin to burn. She breathed heavily through her nose and bit her cheek.

Lena sat back in her chair, eyebrows raised in surprise at the blatant disdain rolling off the name. “Some steel under that Kansas wheat,” she throws out with a grin, perhaps happy to have a decent verbal sparring partner. She faltered after a beat, her expression turning serious as she fiddled with the pen on her desk. “When Lex went mad, I vowed to do better, to be better. I want to turn L-Corp into a force for good. I’m just trying to make a name for myself outside of my family because I don’t want to be like them. Can you understand that?” The hardened CEO looked more vulnerable than Kara thought possible as her eyes flickered between Kara and Clark.

Kara glanced at Clark, trying to gauge what he was thinking. Surely, he believes her. His finger was tapping anxiously on the strap of his bag by his side, biting the inside of his cheek as he considered the woman before him.

“Yes,” Kara answered confidently before Clark had a chance to speak, her head nodding as she realised just how true her word was.

Kara zoned out again as Lena explained to Clark the details on the drive she was currently handing over. Something about subsidiaries and the Venture? Not important. Her thoughts are trained on the mention of the Luthor moving her company to National City. Since when? She had never heard any mention of it. Not a blip, and this was a big deal. As her thoughts continued to swirl, Kara’s eyes roamed over the poised young woman before her, admiring her grace and beauty. Before too long she realised she was staring in the not so polite way… eyeing the way her skirt hugged her hips, the soft, flowy red shirt delicately tucked into it, the elegant slope of her neck extending out the top.

The sound of a throat clearing snapped her out of her haze, a blush colouring her cheeks when she realised she may have been caught, only the slight upturn of Lena’s lips making her feel slightly less than embarrassed.

“Give me a chance, Mr Kent,” the Luthor said once the moment passed, having finished the important stuff, “I’m here for a fresh start. Let me have one.”

The earnest look on her face must have struck a chord with Clark, his demeanour softening minutely, only enough for Kara to notice. He nodded somewhat stiffly with a tight smile, “Good day, Miss Luthor.”

Without waiting for a response Clark turned on his heel, failing to notice the look shared between the super and the Luthor. Kara fumbled for something to say, but in her haste only managed to stutter a “Good day” to her once again smirking Luthor before jogging after her cousin.

It isn’t until they’re leaving, walking back to Catco that Kara starts to feel herself getting defensive. Casually asking Clark his thoughts didn’t go how she planned, part of her hoping he would take the woman at her word, how wrong she was.

“I’ve learned through hard experience, not to believe anything a Luthor says,” he says casually as they cross the street.

“Wha- but Clark, you heard her! She doesn’t want to be like them, she isn’t one of them,” she defends, feeling strong about it and not able to hide it.

The confused look he shoots her has her somewhat backtracking, not wanting to seem over-enthusiastic about her defending of the woman. “I mean, I know I’m not a reporter or anything but, I believed her. She sounds like she really wants to make a difference here.”

Clark seems to consider her, but deep-down Kara knew he would not be so easily convinced. Their moment was broken by the ringing of Clark’s phone, Lois calling to check up on him. Kara’s eyes left Clark’s smiling face, tracking back to the tall building they had left. They settled on the top floor, her enhanced sight allowing her to clearly see the woman they had left, sitting behind her desk, hard at work. What a woman.

The blonde watched as the CEO’s assistant entered, the two women conversing briefly before Lena stood from her chair. Though Kara had the ability to listen in, she decided against invading the woman’s privacy further, gazing from a distance was bad enough.

“Hey, Kara?”

“Hm?” Kara snapped her gaze back to Kal, hoping he wouldn’t notice where her focus had been.

“Are you okay?” His eyebrows pinched curiously, worried about his cousin’s seemingly drifting mind.

“Yeah, yeah I just… I keep thinking about what Ms Grant said, about figuring out what to do with my life, y’know? As Kara.” It was true, she was thinking about it, just not at that particular moment.

“Look,” he softened, “I’ve been where you are, it’s not easy trying to figure out how to be Clark and Superman, it’s still hard. But you need to remember, that being Kara, is just as important as being Supergirl.”

This was suddenly going somewhere Kara wasn’t prepared for, realising just how much it was affecting her without knowing. Having Kal say what Kara was secretly feeling made her eyes begin to water, only able to nod along with what he was saying.

“Trust yourself, listen to your heart, and you’ll know what to do,” he said tenderly, slinging an arm around her shoulder and tugging her into his side. “And if you’re lucky, one day, you’ll find someone to share both sides with,” he winked, knowing Kara hated whenever he brought up her love life, luckily it wasn’t often.

For once Kara didn’t roll her eyes, scoff and laugh it off. Rather, her eyes returned to that top floor, now vacant, and she let out a contented hum. “Yeah, maybe.”

This time it was Kara’s phone breaking the moment, Kara huffing as she pulled it out, “It’s Alex,” she informed Kal.

“Hey Alex,” she answered.

“Kara, Lena wasn’t behind it, she was the target,” Alex rushed out.

Kara felt her blood run cold. Her head flew up, eyes desperately searching for the woman they had left, now on the roof.

“Kara, what is it?” Kal asked, not having heard what Alex said despite his super hearing.

“Lena,” she choked out, watching the helicopter Lena boarded rise into the air.

The two supers watched from a distance as a number of drones closed in. The sound of their guns engaging preceded the whoosh of the heroes taking off towards them. Kara breathed a sigh of relief as they were able to deflect the bullets just in time, her heart thudding in her chest at the thought of not making it.

The man behind the drones drawled on about his master plan, Kara just eager to end this before anyone got hurt. Kal took off to save the civilians while Kara stayed put, willing to do anything to protect the occupants of the chopper.

When a stray shot hit the pilot, the chopper plunged along with Kara’s stomach. The hero quickly eliminating the drone before swooping in the catch the spiralling aircraft. Kara grunted as she dragged the chopper down, managing to land it in one piece.

“Are you okay?” She asked frantically as she flung open the pilot’s door.

The pilot was unconscious, blood seeping from the hole in his shoulder. Lena looked haggard and in a daze, her eyes unfocused as she stared at the hero.

“Lena?” She called, hands pressing into the pilots wound, keeping the pressure.

“Y-yes, yes I’m okay,” Lena managed to say, her chest heaving, the shock settling in.

“I- I have to get him to a hospital,” Kara spoke unevenly, the regret clear in her tone. She didn’t want to leave the Luthor, not alone after an attack like that, but needing to get the man medical help.

“It’s okay.”

“Are you sure-”

“I promise, go, Supergirl,” Lena pushed, not wanting to be the reason a man loses his life.

The hero’s lips formed a tight line, clearly not happy at needing to leave the younger woman. Regardless, she gave a stiff nod before pulling the pilot out as gently as possible, taking to the skies and ignoring the ache in her chest.


Kara paced back and forth, chewing on her lip in an effort to expel the nervous energy coursing through her veins.

She was in the plaza, behind the small crowd gathered for the renaming ceremony of what was formerly Luthor Corp. She was agitated, tense, frustrated that she didn’t get a chance to try and talk the CEO out of making the appearance, knowing her life was in danger. Though part of her thinks the woman wouldn’t have been likely to budge anyway. She was determined.  

Alex was nearby, along with a few other hidden agents. They had identified the shooter not long after the drone attack, and now simply had to wait for him to make an appearance.

Kara hated it. She felt like they were using Lena as bait. She would never forgive herself if something happened to the woman on her watch.

She tried to listen to the speech Lena was giving, but her senses were too overwhelmed. Her eyes were scanning the crowd, looking for anything out of the ordinary. Her hearing was picking up everything nearby, struggling to separate the different sounds. Her heart felt like it was going to beat out of her chest any moment, she had never been this nervous.

“-together we will charter a brighter future.”

Kara felt her lips twist up as she caught the end of the speech. Before she could think of anything else, a large explosion erupted behind the podium and everything turned to chaos.

People ducked and fled, trying to save themselves without a care for anyone else. Kara ripped her glasses off and flew into the chaos. She managed to protect a few people before her ears picked up the creaking of the building behind them.

Taking to the skies she put all her strength into holding the building steady, gritting her teeth until she felt a presence beside her. “Took you long enough!”

“Really bad traffic,” he joked, unaware of the turmoil going on inside Kara at that moment.

Kara was about to say something when she heard Alex’s voice in her ear, “I got eyes on Corben.” She felt herself relax before immediately tensing when she heard Lena’s voice followed by the cocking of a gun.

It took all of her strength not to abandon the building she was supporting. Everything in her screaming to go save Lena. Looking over her shoulder she zeroed in on what was happening, finding Alex about to attack Corben from behind. Had it not been for the agent, Kara wasn’t sure she would have been able to stay put.

With the knowledge that Lena would be safe, she turned back to the task at hand. Listening in as Winn and J’onn talking them through how to save the building. A glance to Kal and a nod in confirmation had her zipping away to gather what was needed. Speeding beneath the building and repairing the supports as best she could.

The whole time, she kept one ear on Alex. She could almost see what was happened just based on the grunts coming from them, knowing Alex’s fighting style.

Duck, cross, upper-cut, kick. She smirked knowing how that kick would’ve done some damage, she’d been on the receiving end of it before. Reach for weapon, blocked... Oh no.

The sound of Alex choking made her pause, using her X-ray vision Kara found them with ease. He had her from behind, rear-naked choke. Come on, Alex. She watched as Alex leapt up into the air, using her momentum to slam down and drag Corben over her shoulder. Yes!

She finished the supports, using her heat vision to mould everything into place. Smiling triumphantly with the finished product, proud of her efforts. Unable to wait, she flew to Alex, landing just as Corben pulled a gun on Alex. He tugged her back into him, shielding himself from Kara and pointing the gun at her temple.

“Let her go!”

“You’re gonna let me out of here,” he threatened.

“Did Lex Luthor hire you to kill his sister?” Kara couldn’t help but ask, needing to know for sure.

“Not even maximum-security prison can stop a Luthor’s reach.” The evil grin Corben gave her made her sick, or maybe it was the words he spoke, either way Kara didn’t like it.

With the hero distracted Corben took a step forward, Alex used the opportunity to roll out of his grip but before anyone could react a bullet fired.

Corben collapsed, gun clattering to the floor as blood began to pool beneath him. Kara’s wide eyes looked up to find Lena, shakily lowering her hands, a gun clenched between them.

Kara’s ears were ringing, she could vaguely hear Alex saying something about a hospital, but she couldn’t take her eyes of Lena. The raven-haired woman’s face somewhere between shocked and pained. All Kara wanted to do was wrap her up in a hug and tell her everything was going to be okay.

But she couldn’t…

It was a few hours later when Kara saw the Luthor again. After dealing with Corben and a boring DEO brief that Kara was barely able to focus for, she and Kal went to go see Lena. Clark had somehow already written his article, Perry white not questioning it and getting it fast-tracked and published online the same day.

The youngest Luthor was just finishing the article on her desktop computer when the reporter and assistant entered her office. Her face brightening when she saw them.

“Thank you, Mr Kent. This is exactly the kind of press my company needs right now,” she offered graciously. Pleased he saw the good in her by the end.

“I was wrong about you Miss Luthor,” he smiled genuinely, “I’m sorry.”

She smiled in reply, ducking her head shyly. Her eyes turned to Kara next, twinkling in the light.

“And what about you Miss Danvers?” Kara gave her a questioning look. “I didn’t see your name on the byline.”

“Oh,” Kara fumbled, “I uh- well I’m not a reporter.” What was she suggesting?

“Well,” she smirked, “you could’ve fooled me.” She added a wink on the end before turning and strutting to her desk, hips swaying just a little bit more than necessary. As she rounded her desk, her gaze fell upon Kara once more, the world fading away as she spoke once more, “I hope this isn’t the last time we talk.”

“Oh- I uh, yeah- I hope not either,” Kara felt her cheeks reddening as her lips split into a wide grin. Not caring that Clark was standing beside her, giving her a questioning glance.

With a final longing look, Kara followed Clark out of the office once more.


When her boots touched down onto the concrete floor, Kara felt her hardened exterior melt away. The apartment was dimly lit when she stepped in through the open balcony doors, her gaze immediately landing on the lone figure curled on the couch. Eyes lifted from the book in her lap, a smile breaking out on her face when she saw Kara.

“I’m sorry I haven’t been able to come to you sooner,” Kara breathed out as she walked closer, dropping to her knees in front of Lena’s chair. She buried her head into Lena’s lap and wrapped her arms around her hips as best she could, softening when she felt Lena’s slender fingers slide into her hair, scratching lightly at her scalp.

“It’s okay, I understand.”

“Why didn’t you tell me you were coming here?” Kara asked when she pulled back, feeling hurt now that she had time to think about it.

“I wanted to surprise you,” Lena answered, eyes soft as she smiled down at the super.

“Well you did! Lena, you were here for less than a day and nearly died three times!”

“It’s a good thing my Superhero wife was here to save me then, hey?”

“Lena,” Kara groaned, head dropping back to the legs underneath her.

“Kara,” Lena groaned back teasingly, a smile appearing on her face.

Kara muttered words into Lena’s thigh, Lena chuckling at her antics. Kara rolled her head to the side, peeking up at Lena from one eye.

“You’re moving your company here?” Lena nodded, smiling tenderly down at her. “Why?”

“I wanted to be closer to you, I’m sick of doing this long-distance thing when there’s really no need. I miss waking up to you every day,” she started running her fingers through Kara’s hair soothingly. “I was sitting watching you on the news one night, and I thought why am I here? There’s nothing for me in Metropolis without you.”

A wide grin broke out on Kara’s face unbeknownst to her. Giddy at the thought of her wife wanting to be closer to her. She faltered though, at the memory of their day.

“Lena, I love that you’re here, but it’s dangerous. Just look at today!”

“Honey, that was Lex not National City,” Lena argued logically, “and besides, wouldn’t it be better for me to be close to you if something happens? It’s not like Metropolis is much safer either.” Her quirked eyebrow left no room for comebacks, Kara knowing better than to try and rebuff. She sighed, deciding to let it go for now and simply bask in the fact she had her wife with her again, and she wouldn’t be leaving.

“Are you okay?” Kara asked after a few moments, shifting off the floor sit beside the Luthor, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. “With what happened with Corben.”

Lena curled into Kara, head resting on her chest listening to the soft thumping of her heart. “I don’t know. Logically I know I did the right thing, but part of me worries doing what I did is what makes me truly a Luthor.”

“Lena,” Kara shifts to look her in the eyes, “You didn’t shoot him because you wanted to, or because you’re evil deep down. You shot him to save someone, to save my sister. And I will always be grateful for that,” she cupped Lena’s cheek tenderly, hoping Lena could hear the honesty in her words.

“Well, I had to get in her good books somehow,” Lena joked, easing the tension in the room.

Kara chuckled, feeling awkward at the knowledge of her sister’s disdain for the Luthor despite being saved by her.

“I’m sorry she doesn’t see you the way I do,” Kara felt the need to apologise, even though she knew the Luthor was used to it.

“Well I’m glad she doesn’t, I only need the love of one Danvers,” there was the teasing again. Kara wondered whether she was only using it as a distraction from her real pain.

“Lena,” Kara whined. “You know what I mean, I want her to like you. I’ll work on it, especially now that you’re here.” Her smile was back at that thought, Lena was here.

“It’s fine my love, all I want right now, is to go to bed with my wife.” Lena leant in and pressed her lips to Kara’s cheek softly, lingering when she felt the blonde sway into her.

They headed for their room, Kara trailing behind Lena, their fingers interlaced between them. Kara couldn’t wipe the dopey grin off her face.

“You did well not to give anything away with Clark,” Lena spoke as they changed. Lena opting for a baggy shirt of Kara’s and no pants, while the blonde wore a tank top and flannel shorts.

“I think I was too shocked that you were here to be able to think properly,” Kara chuckled, remembering how flustered she was during their meetings. “Didn’t help that you kept teasing me.”

Lena blushed, loving the pointed look Kara was giving her. “You can’t blame me, darling.”

“What was with the reporter inquiry? You know I’m not,” Kara asked as they slid into bed, Lena snuggling into Kara’s side.

“I know, but I also know you’re in a bit of a plateau with your career and I guess, seeing you with Clark and looking like a reporter, something seemed right about it.” She shrugged, genuinely not sure what came over her at that moment, she had said it without even realising.

Kara hummed, contemplating the idea. Maybe she could be a reporter. Another memory popped into her head before she could ponder any more, a cheeky grin on her face.

I hope this isn’t the last time we talk’?

“It’s true, I hope every time we talk isn’t the last.”

The smile Kara gave her could move mountains.

Khap zhao rrip, my love.” Oh, how Kara’s heart melted whenever Lena would whisper the hero’s language to her.

“and I love you, i zhao.

With a kiss to her hair, Kara wrapped herself around her wife.

She couldn’t wait to start this new chapter of their lives, together, in National City.