Actions

Work Header

The Last Horcrux

Chapter 22: Hieronymus Crouch

Chapter Text

Friday night both boys were overexcited, bouncing with anticipation - Gavin about his Quidditch match the following day and Oakley about his upcoming playdate with Delphi. Sev took Biscuit for a walk, leaving Remus to organize tooth brushing and story reading. One of the advantages of owning a dog was the opportunity it provided to get out of the chaos of the house for a few minutes. He liked being out in the dark streets alone with his thoughts. It was January thaw and the pavement was wet, shining with melted snow. The air was moist with a vague promise of spring. The orange streetlights glowed, surrounded by halos of mist and the factory towers loomed black and silent over it all. He passed a neighbor, Angus James. They had gone to primary school together. Angus was walking his own dog, a rangy wolfhound. They nodded to each other.

“Lovely evening,” said Angus. “Feels like it's warming up.”

“Seems like it,” Sev agreed. Neither of them felt the need to speak further, but the vibe was friendly, neighborly. Sev marvelled at the way he was accepted here now, after so many years of being an outcast.

An ordinary life, he mused as he turned in at his own gate. I’m living an ordinary life. He was surprised at how much the thought pleased him.

When he got home the boys were settled and Remus was in the shower. He went up to the third floor to look in on them. Biscuit trotted behind him then bound onto Gavin’s bed and snuggled under the covers. The nightlight rotated slowly, casting comforting shadows of broomsticks and snitches. Oakley was already asleep, his breath whistling through his nose, his thumb in his mouth. He’s so beautiful, thought Sev as he kissed his soft cheek and pulled the covers up around his shoulders.

Gavin was still reading in bed. Sev bent to give him a hug.

“Not too late Gav,” he admonished.

“Mmm,” Gavin said, intent on his comic.

He went down the stairs. He looked into the nursery. They had bought a crib and a changing table last week. A Tescos bag with newborn nappies and wipes sat unpacked on the old rocking chair. He picked up a bright green carrier bag with a yellow logo splashed across it. Peapod it read. He carried it across the hall to his parents' old bedroom that now belonged to him and Remus. He set down the bag, opened the wardrobe and started changing into pajamas. He hung up his shirt, cleaning it with a charm. Remus came in wrapped in a towel, his huge belly protruding underneath it.

“Oh my back,” he groaned, arching and stretching like a cat.

Sev looked him over critically. “Do you think you're in labor?” he asked.

“No.”

“Last time it started as back pain.”

“This isn’t the same. That was … I've never felt anything like that before. This just hurts.” He lay down on the bed and let the towel fall away. His naked belly was round and glowing, like a pink sun. “I wish I was in labor,” he said.

“I know,” said Sev. “Here.” He brought the carrier bag over. “I got you something.”

The bag was full of tiny clothes - onesies and socks and cotton rompers. A fleecy suit for outdoors. Little hats that tied under the chin. A fluffy white blanket.

“You went shopping!” cried Remus with delight, unpacking the clothes.

“I thought we’d best be ready,” Sev replied.

“They’re so tiny!” said Remus, running his finger over a miniscule sock. Sev had chosen the plainest baby clothes he could find, mostly white or unbleached brown, but a few of the rompers had imprints of animals or flowers and one of the little caps was adorned with rainbows.

“Budge up,” said Sev. He stretched out beside Remus and helped him roll onto his side. He reached around and started rubbing his back.

“Erm, that feels good,” Remus sighed. “I just want this baby out already.”

“Me too.”

“I want to hold her, you know. To see her. To know she’s all right.”

“She will be.”

“Really? You think so?”

“Yes,” said Sev, continuing to work at the knots on the small of Remus’ back.

Remus gave him a skeptical look. “Since when are you so optimistic?” he asked.

“I’m not.” Sev sighed and flopped over onto his back. He stared up at the ceiling. There was an old water stain up there in the shape of a dragon. “I’m lying. I have no idea that she’ll be okay. I was trying to make you feel better.”

Remus laughed, a deep rich guffaw. “That’s my Sev,” he said. He took hold of him by the chin and kissed him. “Never one to gloss over harsh realities.”

“Maybe some sex would bring on those contractions,” Sev said kissing him back. He wedged up close to the bump.

“It might,” Remus murmured. “It did last time, remember?”

“Mmm,” said Sev. He  wondered if it would work. “May as well give it a go.” He shoved Remus down onto his back. His skin was rosy and damp from the shower. Sev bent his head to worship his round full belly with his mouth, then lower, to tease his balls and take his rapidly hardening cock in his mouth. Remus groaned and thrust his hips toward Sev.

Sev spit on his finger and started circling Remus’ arse until he was wriggling, panting with impatience. Then Sev moved back up. He spent a long time once again worshiping Remus’ belly with his mouth, flicked his tongue a few more times over the head of Remus’ cock, now rock hard in his mouth.

“Come on you bastard,” Remus grunted. Sev looked up at him. He was slick with sweat. His lips were parted. His eyes were closed. His belly was round and pink and pulsing with life.

Not that ordinary, Sev thought, love for Remus flooding through him. He supposed other people on the street got to experience passion occasionally, behind their staid front doors, when the children were asleep, but in this moment he felt incredibly lucky. He shoved a pillow under Remus and reached into the bedside stand for the lube. Remus wriggled impatiently while Sev lubed him. Sev kneed up. He let the head of his cock rest against Remus’ opening, just for a moment, teasing, letting desire build. Remus moaned and shoved against him. “All right already,” he whispered and Sev took Remus’ cock in his fist and pushed in.

Sometimes they liked to make it last, but tonight was not one of those times. It was hot and fast and pulsing with need. Sev’s cock drove in, deeper and deeper and Remus’ body rose to meet him every time, saying the things that cannot be said with words - possession and surrender and aching need. Remus came hard, pulling Sev even deeper inside, his whole body shuddering around Sev’s hard, hard cock. Sev opened his eyes to watch him. Remus’ eyes were squeezed shut, lost in his release. “Remus,” Sev croaked, overcome by the beauty of him and then he was gone as well, carried away on a wave of pleasure and joy.

He wanted to flop onto Remus with his whole weight but he was afraid he might hurt the baby. He shoved off with a deep groan and pulled Remus close. Remus laughed with surprise at the sudden movement then snuggled in, kissing Sev lazily along his neck and shoulder. Sev idly rubbed his belly.

“I hope that doesn’t bring on labor too soon,” sighed Remus. “All I want to do now is sleep.”

“Let’s sleep while we can,” said Sev. He felt relaxation overtaking him. He fumbled for his wand, and turned out the light.

"Oh no,” groaned Remus into his shoulder.

“What?” said Sev, startling awake.

“I have to pee again.”

And with a sigh, Remus heaved himself out of bed and made his way to the bathroom.

*******

The next day the doorbell rang just after lunch. Oakley ran to open it. Sev followed him to the foyer. Eltanin Von Wold was standing stiffly on the front stoop. Delphi was beside him dressed in a sky blue snowsuit. Her dark eyes were sparkling with excitement.

“Yay!” Oakley cried.

“Hi,” said Delphi.

Remus came up behind Sev.

Sev stepped aside. It was a little awkward in the crowded space of the foyer. “My partner, Remus,” Sev introduced him. “This is Eltanin.”

“Hello,” said Remus, extending his hand. Eltanin shook it. He looked Remus over with his cold blue eyes. Remus stood there, obviously pregnant and yet distinctly masculine at the same time. Territorial. Defending his turf. Sev saw the glint of the wolf in his usually mild brown eyes. He wondered what Eltanin thought of him.

"Greetings," said Eltanin.

“It's nice to meet you,” said Remus. “Oakley and Delphi are great friends at school. He talks about her all the time.”

“Yes,” said Eltanin. “They are quite fond of each other.”

“C’mon,” said Oakley, pulling Delphi inside. “I wanna show you everything.”

“I shall return for you at 5:00, Delphini,” said Eltanin. “Behave yourself,” he added. He turned with a swish of his cloak, walking down the steps and into the street. Sev watched him go, wondering where he had parked his thestral carriage.

“So that’s Eltanin,” said Remus.

“Yes,“ said Sev.

Remus smiled at him and shook his head. He put his hand to the back of Sev’s neck. He kissed him soundly, possessively, on the mouth, there in the open doorway.

“Mine,” he whispered.

Sev melted into him. He kissed him back then rested his head against his shoulder. “Most definitely," he replied.

Oakley was back, tugging at his pants leg. “Papa, when are we going sledding?”

“Get your snowsuit on,” he said. And he lifted his head and kissed Remus again.

********

Sev took Delphi and Oakley to the hill behind the cathedral in the center of town, the same place he had gone sliding as a child. It was an unusually warm day for January. The sun was out and the spot was crowded with children. Sev stood at the top of the hill with the other parents. Over and over he loaded Delphi and Oakley onto plastic sleds and pushed them off, shrieking joyously as they rode to the bottom.

By the time the children were tired the sun was low in the sky. A chilly breeze had started up, the temperature was dropping and clouds were moving in, streaking purple across a pale orange sky. They walked back to the house. There would be time for popcorn and hot chocolate before Eltanin came to collect Delphi Sev thought, looking at his watch.

They went in by the back alley and left the sleds leaning against the greenhouse. Sev never noticed the fat grey rat or the green snake that watched them furtively from the shadows as they went inside.

********

Narcissa stood across from the marble steps of Gringotts hidden in a dark alcove. Mid afternoon shoppers bustled past her. She peered through the crowd. She watched the doors to the bank as people came and went. At last she spied what she had been waiting for. A white blond head above the throng, the tall figure of her son. He wore a light grey cloak, a green scarf at his neck. Draco. He had filled out since she had seen him last. His face had matured. He was still slender but he had lost the bony skinniness of adolescence. He reminded her of Lucius at that age, before he had grown thick waisted and jowly. Draco was scanning the crowd. He was looking for someone. Narcissa watched his face light up with recognition and followed his gaze.

Coming up the street was a young man in Muggle work clothes. He was thickly built, somewhat red in the face, with a blond thatch of hair on his head. He carried a metal lunch box. He looked around Diagon Alley with delighted interest. Draco moved swiftly down the marble steps to meet him. They did not kiss but enfolded each other in a quick embrace. Narcissa could tell from the way her son’s body melted into his, that this boy must be his lover.

They made their way down the busy street, side by side, not touching but close. Narcissa followed at a distance as they turned down a side street. They entered a wood frame building and disappeared inside.

Hieronymus Crouch, Solicitor read the sign above the door.

********

Draco and Dudley entered the richly appointed waiting room of Hieronymus Crouch’s office. A white haired witch was tapping away at an old fashioned typewriter. The loud clicking of keys stopped and she looked up.

“Mr. Malfoy?”

“Yes.”

She smiled at him. “You look remarkably like your father,” she said. “Mr. Crouch will see you in a few minutes. Have a seat.”` She gestured to a couple of chairs upholstered in maroon velvet and went back to her typing.

Draco and Dudley sat down on the velvet chairs. The typewriter keys clacked in the quiet room. A few moments later a small bell pinged on her desk.

“Mr Crouch will see you now,” she said.

The lawyer’s office was paneled in dark wood. The walls were crowded with bookshelves stuffed with heavy looking tomes. Hieronymus Crouch was an old man. He had been old when Draco had been a boy and he was older now. Draco remembered him coming round the Manor occasionally, meeting with his father behind closed doors, speaking in serious tones. He had bushy white eyebrows, flyaway hair and a heavy face. He moved slowly, methodically, stacking some papers on his desk with large wrinkled hands. He cleared his throat before he looked up.

“Mr. Malfoy,” he said.

“Hello,” said Draco uncertainly.

“And this is?” Mr. Crouch asked, looking at Dudley.

“My partner, Dudley,” said Draco.

Mr. Crouch raised an eyebrow.

“Sit down gentlemen.” He gestured to two chairs set before his desk which was crowded with documents. There was a lamp with a green glass shade, a quill in a stand, a stained blotter. Mr. Crouch raised his wand. “Accio Malfoy file, ” he said. A filing cabinet drawer flew open and a folder came sailing out. Mr. Crouch caught it in his hand and rifled through it.

“Mr. Malfoy,” he said after a few minutes. “I am afraid that with the disappearance of your parents the Manor has been sadly neglected.”

Draco didn’t know what to say. He felt incredibly awkward and uncomfortable. He resisted the urge to grab Dudley’s hand.

“You have no idea where your parents are?” asked Mr. Crouch.

“I do not,” he replied tersely.

“The house elves have all abandoned the property,” said Mr. Crouch. “I believe it will require a good deal of attention.” He set several documents in front of Draco.

“This is a transfer of stewardship,” he said. “This is a copy of the deed for your personal files. And this is a form that allows you access to the Manor’s bank account at Gringotts.” He waved his wand. The quill rose from its holder, dipped itself in the inkwell and hovered over the documents.

“Sign here, here and here Mr. Malfoy,” Hieronymus Crouch said. With trembling fingers, Draco grasped the quill and signed the documents. The lawyer gathered them in a pile, rolled them efficiently and touched them with his wand. A black ribbon appeared and tied itself around the documents with a bow. Mr. Crouch handed the roll to Draco.

He reached into a drawer and pulled out a heavy key made of wrought iron. "Here is the key to the manor," he said, handing it to Draco. “I suggest you go there as soon as possible,to assess the property before it falls into total ruin. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good day to you.”