Actions

Work Header

Supercorptober 2020

Summary:

Short one-shots/ficlets based on the 2020 Supercorptober prompts by kmsdraws on tumblr. Some cute fluff, angst, AUs, etc.

Notes:

(See the end of the work for notes.)

Chapter 1: Fall

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lena had always loved fall. Summer and spring were always full of kids running around outside without a care. Those seasons were too noisy and warm and bright and happy, and if she was honest of herself she was jealous, jealous of those little kids frolicking in the sun, jealous she’d never had a childhood like that.

At least, not after her father started drinking. Before that, she’d at least had a loving father and brother, even if her mother hated her.

After Lionel died, things only got worse. Lex was the one who took care of her, while Lillian became colder and farther, like ice. Like winter. Lena vowed that if she ever had children one day, even if they weren’t hers by blood, she’d never abandon them the way Lillian had.

Try as she might, she never stopped wanting her mother’s love and approval, but Lillian was as impassive as stone, only showing affection when she wanted a favor from Lena. Even Lex became critical and demanding, and she always needed to be perfect to impress them both.

Fall was less bright than that perfect spring or summer she’d never have, but not as cold as Lillian’s winter. She loved to bask in the fading rays of sunlight while she worked on her technology, and when she was young, she and Lex would walk outside and see leaves swirling into mini tornadoes, feel the crisp wind blowing through her hair, hear the crunch of dried leaves beneath her feet.

Back when he was just her brother and not some lunatic that had gone mad over Superman, she’d stare in wonder when sunlight would slant through the trees and dapple their figures with light and dark spots.

During fall, she could have peace and quiet. She found calm in the brilliant foliage, often going outside to breathe in the fresh air, to remind herself she was real and she mattered when Lillian seemed to ignore her very existence and Lex refused to listen to her worries about his obsession with Superman.

Now, things are different. She lives in National City, not Metropolis. She owns L-Corp. Lex is dead; she killed him herself. He revealed that Kara was Supergirl, and it took ages for her to forgive Kara for that betrayal.

Perhaps the biggest surprise of all is that after making amends, she and Kara started dating.

It took a long time to accept things, and she’s still amazed at how much has changed, and how grateful she is to have someone that loves her unconditionally.

Kara is spring or summer, for sure, every sweet smile like a sun, melting away at her armor and slowly, slowly bringing her too into the light.

Now, as they stroll through a park filled with ruby, orange, and yellow leaves, Kara grabs her hand and spins her around, and they run through the park like they can do anything they want, because together, they can. Behind them, the sun is setting, but the happiness within her heart keeps her warm in even the coldest seasons. 

Notes:

Find me on tumblr and twitter :)