Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandom:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-09-11
Completed:
2021-12-03
Words:
10,055
Chapters:
10/10
Comments:
62
Kudos:
191
Bookmarks:
25
Hits:
2,317

Quickies

Chapter 10: Halloween Hijinks (G)

Summary:

Inspired by this wonderful piece of art by @aceriee.art on Instagram!! Their stuff is so good, definitely go check them out!

Notes:

Listen… I know Halloween was a month ago. Sue me. School has been kicking my gd ass.

But! I couldn’t leave this languishing in my writing doc, and it only needed a quick something to finish it off. So behold! A quick n dirty little fluff piece that’s only purpose is to make me feel good. Enjoy!!!

Chapter Text

“God damn,” Dean says appreciatively. 

He swallows. Then he rubs the back of one hand over his mouth. Then he sets his hands on his hips and grins, his eyes trailing down over Cas from head to toe. “I think this might actually be the best idea I’ve ever had.”

Cas quirks an eyebrow, and there’s no point in lying. That plus the hat does make Dean’s knees go a little weak. “Given the amount of exceedingly bad ones you come up with, I’d say that’s not difficult.”

“Hey now,” Dean says with narrowed eyes. “Rude. Just get over here already.”

Cas obliges and walks across the room like— well, like himself. Not like Indiana Jones, who he’s currently dressed as. There’s no swagger to his step. But hey, Dean’s gonna count the fact that he agreed to dress up at all as a win.

Cas plucks at his shirt, coming to a stop in front of Dean. “Does it have to be unbuttoned this much?” He asks, peering down at it with a mildly disgruntled look on his face. “I feel… exposed.”

“That,” Dean says, his eyes glued to Cas’ chest, “is the whole point, babe.” And then, just for good measure, he reaches out and pops a couple more buttons. Y’know, for accuracy’s sake. 

Cas sighs. “Are you done?”

Dean knocks a finger against the brim of Cas’ hat, smiling. “Aw, sweetheart. I haven’t even started.”

Cas is fast, though, and before Dean knows what’s happening the bastard’s whipped his bullwhip off his belt and looped it ‘round the back of Dean’s neck to tug him in close. Dean’s eyes feel like they’re about to pop out of his head, either from surprise or from the way his heartbeat just broke the sound barrier. “Holy— shit, Cas, warn a guy.”

“I like your holster,” Cas says, about an eighth of an inch from Dean’s face, and that’s— he—

He shouldn’t be allowed to just say shit like that, just— outta the blue. What the fuck. That’s— illegal.

“Uh,” Dean manages, his nose brushing Cas’. “Thanks. I— ha. Han wears one.”

“Yes,” Cas agrees, and Dean would be so pissed off at the amused tone of his voice if he could put two coherent thoughts together right now. “It completes your costume.” He takes a thoughtful pause, then, tilting his head just a little, and Dean is fucked.  

Cas hums. “I think you should wear it more often.”

“Yeah,” Dean agrees, embarrassingly fast, and Cas fuckin’ grins a little. “Yeah, it’s, uh. Practical. Real practical.”

Cas finally takes mercy on him then and lets him go, the bullwhip slithering off Dean’s shoulders. He blinks and breathes a little, scowling at an incredibly smug, placid Cas once his head’s stopped spinning. “You’re an asshole,” he says, pointing a finger at him. 

Cas just shrugs pleasantly. “I have no idea what you mean,” he says, hooking the re-coiled whip back onto his belt. 

Dean opens his mouth to argue, but he’s interrupted by Sam before he can get going. “Yeah, Cas, you tell him,” his big stupid brother says gleefully as he strolls into the war room, his arm slung around Eileen’s shoulders. He’s got a cardigan and some dumb cat-eye glasses on, and Eileen’s decked out in a very convincing Ghostbusters get-up with “Venkman” emblazoned on the breast pocket. 

Dean narrows his eyes. “Hey. Shut it. I’ll send you on a fucking coffee run, Melnitz.”

“I take mine black,” Eileen says with a smile, peering up at Sam. “Just so you know.”

Sam ignores her and shakes his head incredulously at Dean. “How can you call me a nerd and then come out with crap like that? Melnitz. Dean, nobody knows the name of the secretary from Ghostbusters. Nobody.”

“Sexist of you,” Dean says with a pointed raise of his eyebrows before slinging an arm around Cas’ shoulders, talking over Sam’s subsequent blustering. “Now c’mon, let’s quit jawing and get on the road. Jack’s already in the car, we’ve got a three-hour drive ahead of us, and Donna’ll kill me if we miss the party.”

“Agreed,” Eileen says, tugging Sam along. “C’mon, Sam. I wanna do shots.”

“Amen,” Dean crows, falling into step behind them with Cas still pressed to his side. Sparing him a glance, Dean grins. “Cas? You ready to party?”

“Of course,” Cas says, smiling. “As long as there aren’t any snakes.”

Dean laughs, and Cas’ hand curls around his hip. “Shit, man. I love you.”

Cas’ answering smile is wide and gummy.

“I know.”