Actions

Work Header

The End of a Band

Summary:

Being in a highschool band is fun, but what happens when something gets in the way? What if that something is life itself?

Chapter 1: The end of the band?

Chapter Text

They looked at each other with tears in their eyes and smiles so bright they could light up the darkest of paths. Celebratory gowns and fancy dresses on, this was it. This was the day they were dreaming of since the school year started. Graduating highschool seemed so far three years ago, but there they were. Not only that, but they managed to be in the same classroom for their third year, which was like a miracle.

"Arisa" the calmed voice of Kasumi denoted a hint of sadness. "We did it. Are you proud of us?"
"Of course" the blonde girl replied. "With how airhead you are, it's a surprise you even passed the entrance exams to begin with."
"Arisa~~" she fake cried while the rest of them laughed.
"We have come a long way since then" Saya intersected, wiping a tear of her eye.
"Not only in school, but as a band" Tae added immediately. "What we've accomplished with PoPiPa is my biggest achievement."
"Even though we had our ups and downs, we always pulled through." The sweet voice of Rimi was about to crack.
"Why are you all gloomy?" Said Arisa, trying to lighten up the mood. "We should go to a family restaurant, now that the graduation ceremony is over".
Everyone's eyes lit up.
"Famires!" Kasumi shouted and the rest followed along.

The trip to the restaurant was the same as usual. Food, drinks and jokes were the main ingredients. Everyone seemed to have gotten over the somber humor and cheered up after a nice meal and time with friends. However, the mood was short-lived, and the clouds returned on the way to the train station.

"He- hey, do you guys want to hang out at the warehouse?" Arisa quickly suggested.
"Sure" was all the response she got.
"You know, grandma is making dinner today, I can ask if you guys can stay." She continued to fight the atmosphere of defeat.
Everyone nodded, but kept silent. She gave up and said nothing more on the train ride to her home.

"Ok, what in the world is up with you?" She cried, exasperated once they were in the warehouse.
"Wh- What do you mean?" Saya stuttered.
"Don't give me that" she replied calmly, "you guys have been acting weird all day. You can't expect me not to notice."
"Well" Kasumi spoke, "we just graduated, no? Which means we're going to college."
"That's the plan" said Arisa, confused.
"And college is way harder than highschool"
"I'm not following"
"Doesn't that mean we will have less time for things such as the band? If we want to have good grades and graduate, at least."
"Arisa", Rimi called. Arisa raised her head and met eyes with her. "Kasumi and I had a talk a few weeks back. You are going to have an intense schedule going to such a prestigious University. Tae and I will need to commute for at least three hours and Saya has to spend more time at the bakery after her mom's passing..." her voice faded with each word at the point of going silent.
It hit her like a bullet train. She was absolutely right. How could she overlook it? Without her noticing, a tear rolled down her cheek.
"Arisa!" All four of them instinctively went to comfort her.
"How could I be so stupid?" She said, her voice cracked. "I was so excited, I didn't think about it".
No one said anything else for a few minutes. The room stood still except for Arisa's quiet sobbing. The rest of the girls looked at each other with knowing looks.
"You're right" was all she could reply. "Can we discuss this another day? I don't feel very good."
"It's also getting late" interrupted Saya, "I need to get back to the bakery."
"Let's meet up tomorrow" Kasumi quickly added, "we haven't finished this talk".
Everyone said their goodbyes and went home.
Arisa hadn't stopped crying when her grandmother entered the basement.
"Are you having dinner?" The old lady asked, "it's almost 9."
"Not hungry" she replied, in a whisper.
"Are you sleeping here? I'll bring food in case you get hungry" grandma said worryingly.
"Th- thanks." And that was the end of the discussion. She plopped down on the couch.

Is this the end? She kept asking herself. It can't be. All this effort, it wasn't in vain. Was it? Her mind was spiraling out of control. She felt helpless. Forming a band, something she had never dreamed of, until she met a girl with star-shaped hair and big dreams. She cried. And cried. And cried. And cried until she fell asleep.

It was not the morning sun that woke her up, considering she slept in a basement with no windows, but the pain on her back and right shoulder. It seems couches are not meant to sleep on them. She got up and stretched, trying to get rid of the pain, but that only made it worse. This was going to be a long day.
With a heavy head and wearing the same clothes as the day before, Arisa went upstairs. She was greeted with a kind smile and the delicious smell of a recently cooked breakfast. Grandma watched her go back and forth, changing clothes and watering bonsai with a worried yet gentle look. Finally, she sat down and started to absent-mindedly nibble on a piece of toast.
"You look like you didn't sleep very well" grandma broke the awkward silence.
"I guess so" was all she got as a reply.
"Are the girls coming today?"
"I think so"
"That is nice, they're nice to have around"
"Yeah, it is"
Determined to get more than three-word answers, she tried to change the subject.
"Are you excited for college?"
"Not really" Arisa continued to avoid eye contact.
"Why not?" grandma added. "I'll admit that I was surprised when you told me you wanted to major in music but it suits you well"
"You really think so?" She finally looked up.
"I do. I saw how hard you worked to balance studies, student council and band duties in school." Arisa blushed a little at the compliments.
"Don't say embarrassing things!" she quickly interrupted.
Grandma let out a big laugh. "But even after all that you are still you" she finished.
"Th- thanks" was all Arisa could reply. "Anyways, I'll be in my room" said as she left the table.

All alone in her room, accompanied only by her own thoughts was not the best place to be, but she did not have the energy to even leave the house. She chuckled to herself. It had been some time since she felt that way. Her mind wandered through those feelings and started to reminisce about past days. Happy days. Sad days. Lonely days. Heart-pounding, sparkling days. She smiled, although it was a melancholic smile.