Actions

Work Header

Lessons in Parenting

Chapter 12: Home Under the Sky

Notes:

Thank you, Lunar_Demise for betaing!

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

 

Being back at the Western Palace felt like coming home. Mama wasn’t there to welcome her. Gramps wasn’t regaling her with another tale about ancient relics. Souta wasn’t kicking around the soccer ball outside. But Akio, Ena, and even Jaken were there to greet them. When A-Un landed, Kagome’s favorite— and least favorite —members of the staff were gathering in the courtyard. 

 

“Lord Sesshomaru, you’ve returned!” Jaken squawked, waddling up to them. “You have been missed.”’

 

Sesshomaru glanced at her and Kagome got the distinct feeling that he was not in the mood to deal with his vassal. 

 

“We’re happy to be back,” she said, smiling at everyone. 

 

Jaken pointedly ignored her. He launched into a list of duties Sesshomaru had to take care of. “The Council has asked for you to make an appearance when they convene in a fortnight and there are several scrolls of legislation that require your approval, my lord.”

 

“I will attend to those tasks later. For now, I have other obligations to see to,” Sesshomaru informed him. 

 

“But Lord Sesshomaru—.”

 

“Jaken,” he uttered his vassal’s name coolly. “Take A-Un to the stables. He will need fresh water.” 

 

“But, I—.”

 

“That will be all,” Sesshomaru interrupted dismissively. 

 

Placing his hand on Kagome’s lower back, he guided her past his staff. Akio bowed his head respectfully and Ena curtsied while Jaken gaped. 

 

Unaffected by the adults, Shippo asked Akio what was for lunch. Kagome reminded him about his manners, even though the old dog demon chuckled. 

 

“Well, let’s see what we brought in from the garden, shall we?” Akio prompted. 

 

He glanced at Kagome for her permission to take him to the kitchens. At her nod, he offered his hand to Shippo. The kitsune followed the chef, excited to discover what was on the menu. 

 

“What am I going to do with him?” she asked, shaking her head. 

 

“He will be fine. Akio is glad for the company,” Ena assured her. 

 

“How are you?” Kagome asked.

 

“I’m well, my lady. Glad that you’ve arrived safely,” the demoness answered. 

 

“Ena, you don’t have to call me lady. I’m just Kagome.”

 

The attendant looked to Sesshomaru. He remained impassive. Ena smiled. “If that is your wish, Kagome.” 

 

“It is,” she confirmed. 

 

“Then I will address you informally, per your request,” Ena relented. 

 

“Thank you.” 

 

Rin began to fuss. Kagome paused, carefully unwrapping her from the sling. “What’s wrong, little girl?” she asked. 

 

The infant started to cry and kick her legs. Kagome rocked her but Rin wailed louder. Ena and Sesshomaru stared at her, neither sure how to help. Kagome was about to suggest another feeding when she remembered something. 

 

“Oh.” Her cheeks reddened. “I, um, need to get to the nursery.” 

 

“Is everything alright?” Ena questioned. 

 

“Yeah, Rin just needs to be changed.” 

 

“Ah,” the demoness said with an understanding smile. “I can assist with that.” 

 

Kagome waved her off. “No, it’s fine. I’ll do it. She’s my responsibility.”

 

“You will instruct me how to do it so I can tend to my ward,” Sesshomaru said. 

 

“Oh, I don’t think you want to—.” 

 

“Were those not the terms of our arrangement?” he asked, tilting his head to her. 

 

“Yes, but—.”

 

“Then you will show me,” he decided. 

 

Kagome looked at Ena for help but the attendant was too busy hiding her amusement to offer assistance. 

 

“Okay, then, if you’re sure...” Kagome said hesitantly. 

 

“I am.” 

 

She sighed. “Don’t say I didn’t warn you.” 

 

Sesshomaru frowned but kept his hand on her as they went up to the fourth floor. 

 

Ena left them at the stairs to see to her chores. 

 

Kagome chewed on her lower lip, wondering how she was going to explain diaper changes to Sesshomaru. She wasn’t sure how demon pups were raised. Somehow the image of a tiny Sesshomaru crawling around in a nappy— though adorable —didn’t seem plausible. Given what Kagome knew of his mother, she couldn’t picture the Lady of the West fastening fresh cloths to her son. 

 

Changing Rin was a task any caregiver would have to know, yet Kagome hadn't considered how she would teach Sesshomaru. The wrapping method was similar to how she swaddled the baby. If he could manage that one-handed, he could change a diaper. That wasn't what worried her. 

 

With his heightened senses, Kagome was concerned about how the smell would affect him. Babies were notorious for the smells they made. She remembered gagging when Souta was an infant. 

 

It was different taking care of Rin because the little girl was hers to look after but that didn’t mean Kagome didn’t pinch her nose shut at times. She grimaced at the thought of how it would smell for Sesshomaru. 

 

When they reached the nursery, Kagome placed Rin on Shippo’s cot. Sesshomaru set her backpack down between them. Thanking him, Kagome flipped open the top and rummaged around until she found a set of clean linens. 

 

“Are you sure you want to do this?” she asked. 

 

One last chance, Kagome thought warily. 

 

“Do you think I am incapable of completing such a menial task?” 

 

“That’s not it,” Kagome told him. “I’m worried about your nose.” 

 

His brow furrowed. “My nose?” 

 

“The smell is..,” she trailed off searching for the words to explain. “Inuyasha always complains about strong smells. I didn’t want you to be uncomfortable.” 

 

“Inuyasha is weak. An offensive scent will not deter me from my obligation,” Sesshomaru said. 

 

“Alright,” Kagome replied. 

 

Taking a deep breath, she began to unravel Rin’s diaper. Kagome caught an almost imperceptible flinch from Sesshomaru. She held her breath as she cleaned Rin and replaced the soiled cloth with a fresh one. Quickly, she gathered up the dirty linens and deposited them into the hamper by the door. 

 

Kagome crosses the room to where Ena had a basin of water and towels set up. She scrubbed her hands clean before returning to Rin’s side and picking the baby up. 

 

“Well?” she prompted tentatively.

 

“Perhaps it is best if you or Ena handle her changing,” Sesshomaru acknowledged. 

 

To his credit, he hadn’t fled the nursery or made any remarks about the stench. Inuyasha wouldn’t have remained so calm. Kagome was impressed. 

 

“I can handle it,” she promised him. “As long as you help out with the rest.” 

 

“I will be here to provide whatever is required— for both of you,” he vowed. 

 

“Thank you.” 

 

Rin yawned and dropped her head against Kagome’s chest. 

 

“I guess swaddling practice will have to wait,” Kagome mused. 

 

“We have other matters to discuss,” Sesshomaru mentioned. 

 

“Like what?”

 

“Your terms were that I help you restore the Shikon Jewel. As Naraku has the majority of it, and I do not trust the motivations of my brother, we should renegotiate,” he explained. 

 

“The jewel is my responsibility,” Kagome told him, balancing Rin on her hip as she began to rock from side to side. “Naraku’s possession of those shards doesn’t change that. I was the one who broke it. I am the one who has to fix it.”

 

“And you shall, after I defeat Naraku and mend your soul. That abomination that my brother has chosen cannot live. I showed her mercy because you asked me to but I cannot allow you to risk your life. Restoring the Shikon Jewel will require all of your abilities. You cannot access your full power without a complete soul,” Sesshomaru insisted. 

 

“I can’t let you kill Kikyo.”

 

“One cannot kill that which is already dead,” he returned. 

 

“She’s not dead. She’s...” Kagome faltered. What was Kikyo exactly? 

 

“That woman has manipulated the cycle of life and death. She has become the evil she once sought to destroy. Whether you consider her among the living or not, does not change what she had done. She must return to the underworld.” 

 

“And if she doesn’t?” Kagome asked, scared how he would answer. 

 

“If she cannot be convinced to leave of her own volition, then I will make the decision for her,” Sesshomaru declared.

 

There was no hesitation in his answer. He saw the situation in black and white. To him, there was no question regarding what action to take. Sesshomaru wasn't concerned about how his efforts would impact Inuyasha or Kaede. He had no attachments to them. His motivating factor was her. 

 

“Sesshomaru, what if I can restore the jewel without that part of my soul? Would you still kill her?” 

 

“Yes.” 

 

Once again, there was no pause. He spoke with certainty. There was no doubt, no second thoughts to make him waver. 

 

Kagome felt a warm tingle in her chest. Sesshomaru’s dedication was as definite as his prowess in battle. He was determined to defend her. Kagome couldn’t help but feel pleased by his answer, even if she didn’t want him to kill anyone on her behalf. 

 

“Maybe it won’t come to that,” she commented. 

 

“Perhaps, but I thought it best to be honest with you regarding my intentions,” Sesshomaru replied. 

 

“Thank you.” 

 

His frank attitude was slightly abrasive but she found it refreshing. Kagome wasn’t left guessing. Sesshomaru didn’t hide his true feelings regarding Kikyo or Inuyasha. He was straightforward with her— something his brother had rarely been. 

 

“Will you be honest with me?” he inquired. 

 

Kagome blinked, confused. “About what?” 

 

“The necklaces you spoke to the village miko about— what are they for?” 

 

She relaxed and smiled. “Oh, that. Here.” Kagome handed Rin off to him so she could retrieve the trio of beaded necklaces she’d gotten from Kaede. “They are for the pack— one for Rin, one for Shippo, and one for you,” she informed him. 

 

He stared at the swaying beads. “Is this a human custom?” 

 

Kagome laughed. “No. It’s so you can come with me next time.” 

 

His golden eyes widened. “You wish me to join you on your journey across the well?” 

 

“Yeah. I mean, Gramps might try to slap a talisman on you but my mom and Souta should be fine. I mean, they like Inuyasha and you’re way better than him so—.” Kagome clapped a hand over her mouth. She couldn’t believe she had just said that out loud. 

 

Sesshomaru smirked. “You believe I am superior to the half-breed?” 

 

“I...uh...that’s not...”

 

He continued to grin as she stammered, trying to explain herself. Sesshomaru leaned toward her. “Do not worry. I shall keep your secret,” he whispered in her ear. 

 

Kagome turned scarlet. 

 

His deep chuckle echoed in her ears as he straightened up. “Should we proceed with the negotiations?” he suggested. 

 

She could only manage a nod. 

 


 

Convincing Kagome to remain at the palace appeared to be a far simpler task than Sesshomaru had anticipated. The miko had already acknowledged that he was a worthier option. He knew how deeply she cared for his brother which made her acceptance significant.

 

They agreed that Kikyo was an unpredictable variable. There was no way for them to confirm whose side she was on. For the children’s safety,— as well as her own, —Kagome had agreed to stay in the West.

 

They had not agreed upon new terms but Sesshomaru was willing to wait. He could be patient while she worked through her human sentimentality. He was confident that Kagome would eventually agree with him.

 

As Sesshomaru escorted the miko down to the kitchens to join the kit for lunch, he contemplated what to offer her. Protection, resources, and training were all valuable benefits to living in the Western Lands but he wanted to give her something meaningful— something to hold her interest long after Naraku’s imminent demise.

 

“Hey, Akio,” Kagome greeted the cook.

 

“My lord, my lady,” he returned, bowing his head as they entered.

 

Sesshomaru listened to Kagome once again ask his attendants not to refer to her as ‘Lady Kagome’ but simply as ‘Kagome’. There was no ire in her tone but he scented her frustration.

 

“Kagome, Shippo, and Rin are residents of the Western Palace, not guests. Formalities are not required,” he informed Akio.

 

“Of course, Lord Sesshomaru.”

 

“You may extend the same informality to me,” he offered.

 

Akio eyed him curiously but when he saw the way Kagome was smiling, the cook grinned. “As you wish.”

 

“Where’s Rin?” Shippo asked.

 

“Ena is watching over her while she naps,” Sesshomaru said. “You may visit her after you eat.”

 

“We made okonomiyaki with chicken,” the kitsune announced proudly.

 

“That sounds amazing,” Kagome praised him. “Are you learning how to cook from Akio?”

 

“Yep! I helped chop up the cabbage and onions,” Shippo answered.

 

“He did well,” Akio told her.

 

“Thanks for watching him.”

 

“It was no trouble. I haven’t had a little chef since Lord Se— I mean, Sesshomaru was a pup,” the old dog demon said.

 

Kagome glanced up at him. “You cook?”

 

“Yes.”

 

She seemed pleasantly surprised by his response. “I’m trying to imagine a small Sesshomaru here,” she mused with a smile.

 

“It was something else,” Akio replied with a chuckle.

 

“Oh? How so?” Kagome asked.

 

Sesshomaru pulled out a chair for her, giving her the spot between himself and the kit.

 

“He was very serious, even back then,” Akio explained as he prepared their plates. “I remember he used to read the recipe three or four times before even cutting up the vegetables.”

 

Kagome laughed. “That‘s cute.”

 

“It was an effective method, not cute,” Sesshomaru retorted.

 

“You wanted to be the best. I think that’s cute,” she replied, smiling over at him.

 

He struggled to remain indifferent when Kagome looked at him with pure delight. She seemed genuinely interested in his past. While he found it uneventful, Sesshomaru could not deny how gratifying it felt to know she cared.

 

“I was a handsome pup,” he admitted.

 

“And now you’re a handsome lord,” Kagome observed. Her cheeks were tinted pink but she continued as if her words hadn’t effected her— or him. “How did his meals turn out, Akio?”

 

“Very well. He became an accomplished practitioner in the kitchen as well as on the battlefield,” the cook revealed.

 

He handed out the dishes and joined them at the small table.

 

“Did you come down here often?” Kagome asked Sesshomaru.

 

“The kitchen was quiet and one of the few places my mother did not care to visit. I often came here to be alone. When Akio found me hiding out in the pantry, he put me to work. What began as a diversion became a leisurely pastime,” he shared.

 

“Do you still cook?”

 

“It has been some time,” he confessed.

 

“You can work with me and Akio,” the kit suggested excitedly.

 

“Perhaps I will one day but for now, I plan to spend my time training Kagome.”

 

“Me?” she questioned.

 

“I believe it would be to our advantage to increase your skills. We can spar in the courtyard,” Sesshomaru proposed.

 

“Just like me?” Shippo asked.

 

“Yes,” Sesshomaru confirmed.

 

“What are you going to teach me?” Kagome inquired.

 

“Everything.”

 

The pink flush returned to her face. “Oh,” she muttered, quickly dropping her gaze to her plate. 

 

He smirked. If Sesshomaru had not been able to detect the change in her scent, he still would have known how she felt. Based on the color of her cheeks and her altered body language, it was easy to deduce that he made her uncomfortable. But only because she was denying what she wanted.

 

Him.

 

Sesshomaru considered offering her the one thing he had never presented to any other.

 

He had been toying with the idea for a while. Throughout the day, images arose unbidden from his subconscious. There were moments when Sesshomaru saw an entire future laid before him. The fantasy threatened to unravel his carefully constructed way of life.

 

Wandering in the wilderness had been the one thing his status afforded him that he actually wanted. Giving it up to live in the palace indefinitely made him anxious. He was not meant to be caged; he was destined to run free.

 

Free but alone, his inner beast growled.

 

Solitude was a fickle gift, one that seemed perfect until Sesshomaru was forced to realize something was missing. The marvels he saw, the battles he won— there was no one to share them with. Sesshomaru yearned for companionship. Having Kagome laugh at the tales of his youth illustrated how desperate he was for such a connection.

 

Choosing the wrong partner had severe consequences. His parents had proven that. If he were to select someone who was his equal, both in temperament and skill, the outcome could be different.

 

His inner beast had already decided that Kagome was the one. And now, Sesshomaru was convinced it was true.

 

The young woman possessed many of the same traits he valued in himself and several which he hadn’t acquired, such as empathy. She would make a fine mate.

 

All he had to do was convince her to say yes. 

 


 

Accepting help from Sesshomaru turned out to be fun. He guided her movements through the forms, instructed her how to alter her stance, and remained patient with all her questions.

 

Sesshomaru didn’t expect her to be perfect the first time she completed a set. He gave her feedback and watched as she completed the pass again. Even when she repeatedly made a mistake, he never yelled at her— unlike a certain hanyou she knew.

 

She had always admired Sango’s poise and strength on the battlefield. Even though Kagome knew she had trained for years, Sango always managed to make her moves appear effortless. Kagome doubted she would achieve the same look but she was more comfortable learning from Sesshomaru than her friend.

 

Sango could be intimidating and while Sesshomaru was more than a head taller than her, Kagome found his presence calming. It didn’t make any sense. Logically, if she was afraid of anyone, it should have been Sesshomaru.

 

But she wasn’t.

 

He was her partner. They were raising a child together, fighting together, living together. There was no reason to fear him. At least not in the traditional sense.

 

Things had been changing between them. At first, it had been gradual but after their argument, something had shifted. Their relationship was teetering on the edge of friendship and something more— something Kagome wasn't sure how to address.

 

"Oomph." A massive weight collided with her and sent Kagome sprawling onto the ground.

 

“If you wish to do battle against Naraku, you cannot be distracted,” Sesshomaru pointed out.

 

He extended his hand to her.

 

Kagome took it and brushed herself off as she straightened up.

 

“Sorry,” she mumbled apologetically.

 

“Are you tired? We can resume tomorrow,” he offered.

 

“No, let’s keep going,” Kagome insisted.

 

He studied her for a moment, considering before nodding. “Once more and then we break.”

 

They had been in the courtyard for a couple of hours. Kagome could feel the sweat causing her blouse to stick to her back. She was glad she had pajama pants to use. They weren't the most comfortable for the activity but it was better than her skirt.

 

Sesshomaru hadn’t made any comments on her attire since the night Kagome had stormed into his chambers. She expected him to remark on the odd print of her pants, but he remained indifferent to the pink design.

 

They fell into their stances, facing each other in the center of the courtyard. Kagome watched his boots for the slightest shift of weight, an indication of how he may try to strike. With her attention on his feet, Sesshomaru wound up for a punch.

 

As soon as Kagome noticed the way his hips moved, she sprung to the side, narrowly avoiding the hit.

 

“Good,” he praised.

 

He had tried the same tactic earlier but she hadn’t been quick enough to evade the jab. Currently, her skin was unmarred but she was sure there would be a bruise there tomorrow. Sesshomaru had been holding back, careful not to hurt her while they trained. Regardless, Kagome knew how much damage one strike could inflict. She was grateful they were on the same side.

 

“And the counter?” he prompted.

 

Kagome followed through with her side-step, pivoting around to land a punch to his shoulder. She tried aiming for his jaw, as he’d demonstrated earlier, but she couldn’t reach. Their height difference was the issue.

 

“You are showing signs of improvement already,” Sesshomaru informed her.

 

“I want to try again.”

 

“That is enough for one day. If you push yourself too far now, you won’t be able to train tomorrow,” he cautioned her.

 

“Okay,” Kagome relented with a sigh. “But tomorrow we can try again?”

 

“Tomorrow,” Sesshomaru promised.

 

She might have imagined it, but she thought she saw him grin.

 

“I’m going to soak in the bathhouse for a bit. Will you be okay with Shippo and Rin?” Kagome asked.

 

“Yes. Tend to your muscles,” he replied.

 

“Thanks.” She smiled before strolling across the yard to where the bathhouse was situated.

 

Sheltered by the wooden structure, Kagome removed her garments and set them aside. She would need to bring along some jeans and gym clothes on her next trip through the well. Her school uniform wasn’t going to cut it with how rigorous Sesshomaru’s training was. 

 

As she slipped beneath the steaming water, Kagome breathed out. She felt the tension in her muscles lessen with the heat. By the time she surfaced, the aches were already beginning to fade. A bath was nice but it couldn’t compare to how wonderful a soak in the hot springs felt.

 

“Oh, forgive me. I didn’t realize anyone was in here.”

 

Kagome blinked through the mist to see a demoness standing by the doorway. It was hard to make out her appearance through the rolling steam but Kagome spotted a pair of glowing eyes.  

 

“You’re welcome to join me,” she said, gesturing to the pool. “I promise I don’t bite.”

 

“No, I imagine not,” the woman remarked, remaining in place.

 

“I thought I had met all of Sesshomaru’s attendants. Are you new?”

 

The demoness laughed. “I’m Arisu.”

 

Arisu. Why does that name sound familiar? she pondered

 

Kagome started to ask when the woman stepped closer to the water. In the light, the resemblance was almost uncanny. From the white-silver hair to the golden eyes, the woman before her was none other than Sesshomaru’s—

 

“Mother.”

 

He charged into the bathhouse, eyes narrowed.

 

Her gaze flickered between them before Kagome remembered that she was naked. With an embarrassed squeak, she sunk underwater.

Notes:

Thank you to @imjaneees for this lovely piece inspired by this chapter of Chef Sess