Actions

Work Header

The Girl Under The Black Hood

Chapter 5: Thanatos Guild

Summary:

Nyssa. Thanatos Guild. Dinahsiren

Notes:

Hey everyone, hope you're all doing okay.

Very excited to share this with you. It was supposed to be a very long chapter, but I decided to break it in 2 parts.
Still looking for a beta reader.

IMPORTANT NOTES:
- Underlined text means they are speaking in Arabic
- See end notes for the definition of words/concepts in bold
Enjoy and stream California's Burning by Hot Milk

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

The words echoed in the detective's head as her face went pale.

- I’ll be waiting outside - Laurel said and headed towards the door

- Taylor, are you okay? - Emma touched her forearm

- Yeah, just some family emergency - Taylor assured - Do you mind If we finish this some other time?

- Of course, don’t worry about it - Emma said 

Taylor grabbed a SCPD business card from her desk and wrote her phone number

- Here - She handed her the card

- Thanks. I’ll give you a call after getting the full approval and we’ll set a date for the interview - The brunette said and put the piece of paper in the pocket of her denim jacket

- Cool - Taylor said as she made eye contact with her aunt Laurel. The short haired blonde was giving her a stern “hurry the fuck up look” - I really have to go. I’m sorry

The detective left leaving a very confused Emma. And once again, just like in high school,  the brunette was drawn to the mystery that was Taylor Lance.

- Are you done speaking with your girlfriend? - Laurel sassed

- She's not… You know what, doesn't matter. Just tell me what's going on - Taylor said, clearly not in mood for the sarcastic remarks of her aunt's doppelganger

- Nyssa went to Corto Maltese to follow a trail on the thanatos guild. She was supposed to report back to Nanda Parbat a couple days ago, but she hasn’t. One of our sources told us the guild ambushed her and took her in. Luckily, I had a not so friendly chat with one of Athena’s lackeys and was able to get a location - The short haired blonde grabbed her ipad and showed it to her niece - I’m going to get her, but I need your help.

- What about the league? And my mom? - Taylor asked

- Sara is off question. She gets way too protective when it comes to you and will never agree with my plan - Laurel immediately dismissed and the younger girl lifted her brow - Talia wants to make sure the location is right before going in but I’m not taking that bet, not when Nyssa’s life is in danger.

- So, what’s the plan? - The detective asked

- I’ll explain you the details on our way to Corto Maltese, but you’ll have to trust me - Earth 2 Laurel said

Taylor took a deep breath before giving a nod to her aunt’s doppelganger. She wasn’t sure what she was getting herself into, but deep down the detective knew Laurel cared for them and whatever she was planning was to make sure everyone made it home safe.

In that moment, Captain Drake arrived at the precinct with the S.W.A.T team. They had a massive operation going down this morning, alongside the narcotics division, and by the amount of handcuffed perps brought into the precinct, the operation was a success. 

Dinah stopped on her tracks when she saw Laurel. It had been 3 years since the last time they spoke. The two women became thick as thieves after Oliver’s funeral in 2020, so it surprised everyone when Laurel left without saying a word and not even her closest friend knew about her whereabouts.

- Laurel - Dinah said softly making Laurel’s hair curl on the back of her neck.

The short-haired blonde turned around and smiled sarcastically:

- Dinah… What a surprise to see you here - She sassed

- I work here, always did, in case you’ve forgotten in the past 3 years - Drake said matching Laurel’s tone

- Right… Good for you - She turned back to Taylor - Meet me at docs. We leave at 9 sharp.

Laurel turned around to leave, but Dinah grabbed her upper arm

- Let me go, D - Laurel whispered

- Are you just going to leave? Again? - The brunette asked

- You’ve made your choice years ago, you have no right in questioning mine - Laurel yanked her arm and left, leaving a speechless Dinah.

- What the hell happened between you two? - Taylor asked in confusion

Dinah rolled her eyes and sighed in frustration

- We have perps to process. I’m sure your training officer would appreciate your help

Taylor was about to argue back, but then remembered they were still at work and Dinah was her captain, so she reluctantly went back inside.

 

Nanda Parbat - 2009

7 months have passed since Nyssa and Sara brought Taylor to the league. Even though Nanda Parbat wasn’t the friendliest place to raise a child, the younger blonde seemed happy with her new life. The training started shortly after her arrival despite Sara’s protests, she insisted that Taylor was just a child and it was way too soon. However Nyssa stepped in and took over the training sessions by picking exercises that helped the younger girl get used to martial arts, yet it wasn’t as violent as her childhood training. 

Zakiya had been teaching Taylor some arabic while Sara and Nyssa were out on missions. She explained to her that arabic was the main language spoken in the village and encouraged the younger girl to speak with the sellers whenever they went to get groceries.

Sara, being Sara, always managed to sneak toys in her luggage whenever she went to America for a mission, the latest one being a skateboard. So, seeing her beloved teaching Taylor how to ride the board on the corridors of the ancient temple, became a usual sight for the heir to the demon.

April was a special month within the league, the founders called it hunting season. For two weeks, the official members of the league had to kill as many targets as possible in the four corners of the world. Nyssa got the first two weeks of the month and Sara the last two, making sure at least one of them could look after Taylor. This only left a couple of hours for Nyssa and Sara to be together before the blonde had to leave. 

They laid peacefully in Sara’s bed, the silk sheets covering their naked bodies. Nyssa held her beloved from behind, placing soft kisses on the blonde’s shoulder.

- I’ve missed this - Nyssa said

- What? Sex? - Sara teased and the black haired woman rolled her eyes

- Us being together like this - The heir said and the blonde understood what she meant

With Taylor sleeping in Sara’s room and the long exhausting missions, the couple barely had time for each other. They managed to sneak out to Nyssa’s chambers between training sessions, but there wasn’t much room for cuddling or deep conversations.

- I get it, babe. I wish we could have a place to ourselves - Sara started drawing little patterns on Nyssa’s hands with her finger - With a little garden for your dumb plants, a massive bed like the one in your chambers and a room for Taylor.

- Be cautious with the meaning of your words, habibti - Nyssa warned - It sounds like you want us to start a family and raise this child as our own

- Would that be too bad? I know it’s still soon, but, you know, maybe one day we could start thinking about it - The blonde suggested

- Having a family never felt like a possibility to me, I always thought my only purpose in life was to be the next Ra’s Al Ghul - She confessed - However, meeting you brought light into my life and I cannot imagine doing it with anyone else. I love you Sara and If that’s your wish, I suppose we can give it a thought.

- I love you Nys - Sara pinned her girlfriend to the mattress and kissed her passionately - You’re my soulmate

- I love you too, Ta-er Al Sahfer - Nyssa said and gently pulled Sara away - But we have to get dressed, Sarab will shortly be here with Taylor 

- Ugh - Sara grunted in frustration - I hate when you have a point. Can we just cuddle for 5 more minutes - She pouted and Nyssa smiled

- 5 minutes - She said firmly before once again wrapping her arms around Sara as the blonde laid her head on her chest. To the dreadful heir to the demon, there was nothing better in the world than having her beloved in her arms.

As promised, once the five minutes were up, both women took a shower and got dressed. Sarab had only been with the league for a couple of months, but Sara had taken a like at him. He was great with Taylor and the younger girl liked to spend time with him. The blonde suspected he had a child in his previous life, but everytime she asked him about it he would just recoil, so the assassin no longer insisted.

A soft knock on the door interrupted the couple’s playful banter. Sarab opened the door and Taylor ran in Sara’s direction to give her a hug. The man walked in and bowed to Nyssa.

- It’s alright, Sarab. We’re in private, there’s no need for such formalities - The heir said and he nodded before going back up

- Hey Kiddo, did you have fun with Sarab? - Sara asked

- YEEEEES - Taylor said frantically - We went to the forest and there were animals! And I petted a horse!

- A horse? Wow! - Sara said - Weren’t you afraid?

The girl shook her head

- No, Sarab said the horse wouldn’t hurt me - The girl said - It was so soft, Sara. Can I have one, please?

Nyssa tried her best to hide the smile forming on her lips while Sara and Maseo laughed

- Baby, we can’t keep a horse here, it’s not fair for him. How about we take you to the forest from time to time to see the horse. You can name him and everything. Deal? - The blonde negotiated

- Deal! I’m going to call him albandaq because his skin is brown like a hazelnut - The six year old said

One of the league members stood outside the door and said:

- Heiress, Ra’s Al Ghul requests your presence

- Thank you, 'Akhdir. I will be on my way - Nyssa said and the man left

Sara placed a couple of chaste kisses on her girlfriend’s lips and wrapped her arms around her waist. She knew by the time Nyssa would be back, she’d no longer be there.

- I’ll miss you, Nys 

- So will I, habibti - The heir said - Come home to us

- Always - Neither one of them wanted to let the other go. Nyssa eventually broke their embraced and placed a kiss on Sara’s forehead

The dark haired assassin turned to Taylor and said:

- I’ll be seeing you at 7 for dinner - The little girl nodded

- I’ll walk with you, Nyssa - Sarab said - I’m sure Sara wants to spend some time with Taylor before leaving for her mission

- Very well. You may say your goodbyes. I’ll be waiting outside

To most people, it seemed like Nyssa had switched to her cold heir to the demon facade. But not to Sara, she knew her girlfriend’s heart was breaking and it made her even more sad about leaving, even If it was only for two weeks.

- Safe travels, Ta-er Al Sahfer - Sarab said and pulled his friend into a hug

- Thank you for looking after her, Maseo - Sara said

- You’ll never need to thank me. I enjoy spending time with the little one. Besides, you ladies needed some alone time - He joked and Sara punched him in the arm

- Asshole

Sarab closed the door behind him leaving the two blondes by themselves

- Sara, can I ask you something? 

- Sure, kiddo. Shoot - Sara said as they sat on Taylor’s bed

- Does Nyssa hate me? - The girl asked

- What? No! Where did you get that from? - The blonde asked in shock

- I don’t know, I just feel like she does - Taylor looked down at her hands

- I’m going to tell you a secret, baby. But you have to promise me you won’t tell anyone - Sara said and handed her pinky finger

- I promise - Taylor took it and the older woman smiled

- Nys lost her mother when she was a baby and Ra’s wasn’t a very good father. He never told her he loved and always made her believe that love and caring for others is a weakness. And as the heir, Nyssa wasn’t allowed to have weakness. For the majority of her life, she believed that until the day we met. It’s not easy for her to deal with her emotions, but she’s learning. It’s just like your training, at first you weren’t very good, but now you’re getting better. Same with Nys.

- Really? But she’s always saying she loves you - Taylor argued back and it never failed to amaze Sara how smart Taylor was for her age

- She is, but it wasn’t always like that - Sara explained - Nyssa cares for you a lot, believe me. But she’s scared. Give her time, kiddo. I always say she’s like a walnut, it’s hard to crack, but what’s inside is worth the trouble

- Okay - Taylor accepted - Can you tell me how you fell in love?

- That’s a long story! Way too long for the time we have. But I’ll tell you when I get back, I promise - The blonde said and took a package from beneath Taylor’s bed - How about we play some UNO?!

- Yeeees! I’m going to win - Taylor said and Sara caressed the back of her hair

- You wish, kiddo!

##

Taylor was dragged by two men inside the old abandoned castle. The guild had been using this place as their hideout since Nyssa destroyed their previous one. Taylor could easily take them out, but for Laurel’s plan to work, she had to get captured

- Lady Athena, we found this woman spying outside, she appears to have the league mark - One the men said and forced Taylor to her knees

Athena turned around and faced the blonde. She opted to use the league armour instead of her vigilante outfit. If the Crow was seen in Corto Maltese, it would only raise suspicions about her secret identity. The ghastly woman took the veil covering her face.

- What’s up, scarface? - Taylor mocked knowing perfectly well it was her younger self who inflicted the scar on the woman’s left eye

- Blonde hair, blue eyes and awful manners. You’ve grown, Al-Ghurab - Athena said

- Awful manners? You’re the one being a terrible host - The blonde continued her mockery trying to get a rise out of the other woman

- What are you doing here? - She asked

- You and your brainwashed cult kidnapped my mother and I came to get her back - Taylor said and Athena laughed

- By yourself? What a foolish girl - She said - I was going to send Nyssa’s body back to Star City, so your family could mourn her passing. But now, Ta-er Al Sahfer will have one more body to bury.

- I’m not really a fan of cold blooded murder, but I can’t wait to put an arrow on you - The younger girl threatened and Athena pressed her dagger to her throat

- I’m not afraid of your empty promises - She said and pressed the blade harder until it drew blood - If you want to see your mother so bad, let me bring you to her - The scar faced woman motioned to her soldiers - Take her to Nyssa’s cell.

Taylor was dragged again, this time for a couple more assassins. Athena could be a blind follower of a maniac idiot, but she wasn’t stupid enough to dismiss the younger girl’s abilities. Drops of blood tainted the floor as the natural light started to dissipate from Taylor’s view. The sound of a rusty metal door opening made her lift her head. She saw Nyssa. The black haired woman was in sitting position, strong metal chains around her hands and dried blood on her skin.

- MOM - Taylor yelled and started elbowing the men holding her. Nyssa opened her eyes and stared at her in fear. Not for herself, but for her daughter. The blonde was able to free herself and ran to Nyssa’s side - I’m getting you out

- You should not be here, Taylor - Nyssa said her daughter took her hands. She flinched in pain and Taylor understood that most of her fingers were broken. The assassins were able to get back on their feet and immediately kicked the girl to the ground and bounded her hands. They locked the metal door again leaving the women by themselves - This is incredibly reckless, even for you!

Nyssa was angry that her daughter was now in the same situation as her. She shouldn’t've come here. Not for her. Taylor spat blood on the floor and pressed her hand to her chest activating the hidden comms.

- She’s alive, Laurel. Beaten up, but alive - She said

- Can she walk? - Laurel asked from the other side

- Mom, can you walk? - Nyssa nodded - She can

- Hold tight and free your hands. I’m on my way - Laurel said and cut the signal

- If we manage to get out, remind me to kill your aunt Laurel for putting you in danger - Nyssa said and Taylor took a small knife from her boots. The assassins took out all her weapons, but didn’t think of checking her boots. She broke the chains and moved to her mother’s side to do the same.

- Get in line, Sara doesn’t know about this and I’m pretty sure she won’t be too happy - The blonde said and placed Nyssa’s arm around her shoulder to help her up.

The sound of yells and swords clashing reverberated in the dungeons. Nyssa placed herself in front of her daughter to shield her.

A high pitched sound threw the last assassin across the room, hitting his back on the nearby wall. Laurel grabbed the keys from his belt and opened the door.

- Don’t stare at me, let’s move! - Laurel said and the trio left the dungeons

The corridors started to fill with members of the guild. Laurel, Nyssa and Taylor hid behind a column waiting for the men to spread around the castle. One of them walked right in their direction, but Nyssa in a swift movement took his sword and slit his throat.

- I thought they broke your fingers - Laurel shoot her a puzzled look

- I’ve fought with worse injuries - She said and threw the man’s bow and quiver to her daughter

- Don’t tell Sara, but I was briefly attracted to your mommy - Laurel whispered to Taylor and the younger girl gave her a disgusted look.

They took down most the assassins, but Athena was able to get them surrounded

- It’s over. Yield - Athena said

Laurel pushed Taylor and Nyssa behind her and prepared herself to scream, but nothing escaped

- You thought I wouldn’t be prepared for you, Laurel Lance - She spatted and showed them the meta dampener - You’re not the only ones with friends in Central City.

- Yeah, this might be a problem - Laurel said and everything went black

Notes:

- albandaq: hazelnut in arabic