Actions

Work Header

Blue runs the Water

Chapter 10

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

*

 

Lan Xichen doesn’t remember waking up the first time.

 

The second time he doesn’t get so far as to open his eyes, but he hears someone snoring gently nearby and lets himself drift off again, healing lapping at the edges of his mind.

 

The third time he wakes, he hurts. It clears his head enough that he manages to be surprised that he is alive at all. Wangji must have… Wangji. Lan Xichen forces his eyes open. Light stabs into his pupils and he must have made a sound because through the roaring in his ears, he hears someone getting to their feet.

 

“Xiongzhang,” a voice as familiar as his own breathes and Lan Xichen lets his eyes fall shut again. Wangji is safe. Everything else can wait. The throbbing in his head abates in the darkness, but his midsection still feels like it’s on fire. Even the small effort of moving his head slightly is threatening to send him back under.

 

Then cool fingers grasp his wrist and spiritual energy trickles into his veins, making calming blue lights flicker on his closed eyelids.

 

“Didi.”

 

It comes out as a rusty croak. Wangji’s sharply indrawn breath would have been a gasp of joy from anyone else. A cup is set against his lips. At the first drop of clear, cool water on his tongue, thirst erupts in his throat and Lan Xichen drinks greedily, almost whining in protest when the cup is taken away. It returns, but this time the bitter smell of herbs seeps into his nostrils. Still, he drinks. He knows better than to protest the indignities of healing.

 

“Rest,” Wangji murmurs. “All is well.”

 

If Wangji says so, it is true. Lan Xichen drifts off.

The fourth time the fire in his midsection has transmuted into a dull ache, so much so that Lan Xichen opens his eyes with some confidence that he won’t slip away into sleep within minutes yet again.

 

He blinks at the wooden ceiling, disoriented. This doesn’t look like any room he’s ever entered in Koi Tower. In fact, it looks startlingly familiar, and in the quiet surrounding him he can just make out the gentle lapping of waves against support struts.

 

He’s in Lotus Pier – a fact he’s both gladdened and discomfited by. He can’t remember being moved here, not even a scrap of memory.

 

Before he can think on it more, a brisk voice from his right says, “You’re awake. Good.”

 

Wen Qing’s face comes into view above him, frowning slightly as she efficiently checks him over, assessing his golden core, dantians and physical wounds. Lan Xichen lies still and lets her do her work. Lan Zhaofeng has made sure he knows better than to interfere with a healer.

 

“Thank you,” he says politely when she straightens again.

 

A line appears between her brows at the huskiness of his voice and he barely has time to blink before another cup of water is set to his lips. He drinks dutifully.

 

“No need to thank me,” Wen Qing says, brow smoothed out again. “You’re the most easy-going patient I’ve had in a while once you stopped actively dying.” There’s a muted glitter in her eyes when she adds, “And I know rather a lot of people who are invested in your continued wellbeing.”

 

At Lan Xichen’s glance past her, she shakes her head. “I sent both your brother and Wei Wuxian to get some rest. They both refused to leave the room without me present.”

 

Lan Xichen blinks.

 

Wangji he understands, but Wei Wuxian is a bit of a surprise. The man hates sitting still.

 

He puts the question aside for now. “How did I get here?” he asks instead, voice much smoother after the water.

 

“The fools decided to move you when you were barely holding on to life,” Wen Qing snaps. No doubt noting the flinch around his eyes, she gentles her voice. “They believed Koi Tower to be unsafe for you. They let a healer perform emergency aid, but then they flew you here – Wei Wuxian invented some sort of stasis talisman, not that it’s been medically tested, and your brother near killed himself feeding you his energy. Lucky for you, your spiritual energies are very compatible. That kept you alive until you got here.”

 

Lan Xichen closes his eyes, murmurs, “I know.”

 

Family members usually are compatible to a degree, but he and Wangji have always been excessively so. He doesn’t like to think of his little brother draining away his own life force to help him.

 

Wen Qing’s expression gentles into something sympathetic. “He’s fine. Slept for a couple of days after getting here, but it was only extreme exhaustion.”

 

She straightens. “I’ll let them know you have awakened.”

 

Wangji comes first. Knowing his brother, he’d probably have fought anyone who might’ve dared to suggest otherwise. Wangji doesn’t say anything for long moments, quietly intent on cataloguing Lan Xichen’s state of health, but he doesn’t have to. Lan Xichen can read the relief, the anger, the warmth in his gaze and the minute movements of his face.

 

For his part, Lan Xichen is relieved to find that Wangji looks no worse the wear from having exhausted his own spiritual energy to keep him alive. Lan Xichen doesn’t bother scolding him for it – Wangji wouldn’t listen and he can hardly fault him for that, given that Lan Xichen would do exactly the same thing if their positions were reversed.

 

“Next time,” Wangji finally says, voice slow and measured, “take someone with you.”

 

Lan Xichen couldn’t have stopped the smile breaking out on his face even if he’d tried. “I will do my best.”

 

Wangji nods sharply, accepting the matter as closed.

 

“Lotus Pier?” Lan Xichen inquires once he’s certain that was all his brother had wanted to say.

 

“Mn. Wen Qing is the best doctor.”

 

Lan Xichen can hardly argue with that. But now that he’s properly conscious and aware again, there are questions he wants answered. “Can you tell me what happened?”

 

Darkness brews in Wangji’s expression, but he nods again. Someone is going to have to tell Lan Xichen, and unless he’s much mistaken Wangji was the only one there at the beginning.

 

“I came as soon as I received your message. Xue Yang was dead and you were…”

 

When Lan Xichen looks at his brother, he finds a well of righteous rage in Wangji’s eyes, a sparking deep within that sends a shiver down his back. He’s not worried for himself – Wangji’s rage has always been protective – but it suddenly occurs to him that if he had died, Wangji may well have done something… ill-advised. Such as burn the Jin sect to the ground.

 

Or perhaps not. Wangji has always followed a strict moral code. Lan Xichen doesn’t wish to know whether family would prove the exception to that rule.

 

“So that was Xue Yang?” he murmurs. The person he had fought does fit the description Wangji had given after their run-in with the man, but he had been a bit too busy to think through the implications. “I did not realise. How did he come to be in Koi Tower?”

 

Wangji tilts his head in his version of a shrug. He must’ve spent the last few days at Lan Xichen’s bedside and news would travel in small chunks first.

 

There’s another question that needs asking. Lan Xichen closes his eyes.

 

“Is Jin Guangyao still alive?”

 

“He lives.” Contempt curls around every syllable and when Lan Xichen opens his eyes he finds Wangji’s expression flinty. “Without his right arm.”

 

Lan Xichen tries to decide whether he finds this a relief.

 

“He will stand trial?”

 

Wangji’s shoulders twitch and Lan Xichen catches his brother’s gaze, his voice careful. “If you feel the need to be at Koi Tower to make sure justice is served, you should not remain at my behest. I am surely safe here at Lotus Pier.” After a moment he adds, “With Wei Wuxian.”

 

Wangji thinks it through.

 

Lan Xichen doubts his didi wants to leave him while he’s still injured, but leaving Shufu (who is supposed to be retired from political matters) as the main Lan representative is a gamble, especially considering the delicacy of the situation and the sects involved. Besides, giving Wei Wuxian the task to look after him will keep him out of trouble – his presence at Koi Tower would only make things worse. Politically speaking, Wei Wuxian is nothing if not inconvenient for all sides.

 

“Think on it,” Lan Xichen finally says and Wangji dips his head in agreement.

 

*

 

Wangji has only been gone long enough for Lan Xichen to laboriously reach for the cup of water and drink when Wei Wuxian enters. His presence is more subdued than usual.

 

“A-Jie and a-Cheng send their best wishes,” he says, plopping down on the room’s only chair. “They’re still in Lanling, along with Nie Mingjue and Lan Qiren. Trying to, you know.”

 

He waves his hand around aimlessly.

 

Lan Xichen does know. Someone has to sort out the mess that the near-murder of a sect leader in another sect’s territory entails. The whole issue would be thorny enough if it didn’t involve the arguably most influential sect and their sect leader’s son, recently accepted into the family, hadn’t done the deed.

 

Frankly, if there’s one upside to being laid up in bed it’s that he doesn’t have to deal with any of that.

 

Lan Xichen opens his mouth to thank Wei Wuxian for passing along the wishes and blinks, stalling. His gaze has landed on Wei Wuxian’s right forearm. He’s wearing a familiar black bracer, but knotted into the lacing is Wangji’s ribbon plate. Lan Xichen blinks again. There’s no doubt about it – he knows the design of his brother’s ribbon plate as well as his own. It’s definitely Wangji’s.

 

Was this the spiritual token his brother had given Wei Wuxian months ago? He definitely hadn’t been wearing it openly at the wedding.

 

It’s not quite a marriage proposal (not yet), but Wangji couldn’t have been more clear about his intentions if he had shouted them from the rooftops.

 

Lan Xichen raises his gaze to Wei Wuxian’s face and, much to his astonishment, finds a faint dusting of red across the usually so brazen man’s cheeks.

 

“Um,” Wei Wuxian says.

 

“It seems I missed some developments,” Lan Xichen says evenly, and if he’s enjoying the look of muted panic on Wei Wuxian’s face a little too much, he does take pity only a few seconds later. “It took you both long enough.”

 

Wei Wuxian makes an alarming croaking sound, then coughs. “You knew?”

 

The only thing that’s stopping Lan Xichen from laughing is the fact that with how tender his midsection still feels, it would likely be a painful indulgence. “Did you think you were being subtle? Everyone knew.”

 

Seeing the gob-smacked look on Wei Wuxian’s face, he adds consolingly, “At least anyone who spent any time around the two of you when you were in the same room.”

 

“A-Jie…?” Wei Wuxian whispers, voice faint.

 

“She definitely knew,” Lan Xichen confirms. “We talked about it during the war. Even Jiang Wanyin suspected, I believe.

 

Wei Wuxian moans and hides his face in his hands. “I’m never going to live this down.”

 

“That,” Lan Xichen says wisely, “is what siblings are for.”

 

He can just see the edges of Wei Wuxian’s mouth curling into a smile behind his hands.

 

“May I assume you finally talked to Wangji during the last few days then, if you have not talked to your siblings about it yet?”

 

Strangely, Wei Wuxian sobers at that, sitting up straight in his chair again. “We spent a lot of time here, waiting for you to wake up.”

 

Lan Xichen winces. There’s no reproach in Wei Wuxian’s gaze, but a flash of that old shadow that’s been receding lately.

 

“I am sorry,” Lan Xichen informs him softly. “I certainly did not intend to…”

 

“Get yourself skewered?” Wei Wuxian offers, his intonation so very Yanli that Lan Xichen blinks in surprise.

 

“Indeed.”

 

So waiting at his bedside had made them talk. Shared worry, he supposes, and Wangji at least had been well aware of his feelings already and gearing up to court Wei Wuxian in whatever manner had seemed appropriate to him (which may well have not seemed so to anyone else). And Wei Wuxian is hardly one to hold himself back once he knows the lay of the land.

 

“You are both dear to me,” Lan Xichen says quietly, holding Wei Wuxian’s gaze. “I am not going to threaten you on my brother’s behalf. I simply hope that you may make each other happy.”

 

Wei Wuxian’s throat bobs as he swallows hard and nods. “We will, Xichen-ge.”

 

Lan Xichen smiles at him. What does the pain in his body matter when his spirit is so happy?

 

*

 

Wangji leaves, with the most reluctant expression Lan Xichen has ever seen on him, but not before giving Lan Xichen firm instructions to look after himself and heal. Lan Xichen’s intentions to do just so are equally helped and hindered by Wei Wuxian, who appears to have either got strict instructions to watch over him or decided to enact ‘Operation: Mother Xichen-ge’ of his own volition.

 

Of all the consequences Lan Xichen had envisioned for when Wangji and Wei Wuxian finally admit their feelings to each other, them conspiring to watch over Lan Xichen every second of the day to make sure that he’s actually healing, taking it easy enough, not worrying too much about the situation with the Jin and a myriad other things had not featured.

 

It’s sweet at first and Lan Xichen does understand the impulse, but after several days of highly solicitous company he begins to crave quiet solitude with unexpected fervour. It doesn’t help that for the first two days, Lan Xichen is ‘strongly encouraged’ by Wen Qing not to leave the bed.

 

Lan Xichen is not a stupid man – he remains in bed.

 

Wen Qing, obviously used to less tractable patients, keeps eyeing him suspiciously. Eventually she declares “If you were halfway as meek as you can so easily pretend, the cultivation world wouldn’t be standing anymore” and leaves him to his breathing exercises.

 

Lan Xichen blinks an unplanned nap from his eyes and turns his head to see whether it’s Wei Wuxian or Wen Qing at his bedside, only to find little a-Yuan staring at him solemnly. The child is perched on the overlarge chair, leaning forward precariously so his face is close to Lan Xichen’s. He briefly wonders if he would be capable at the moment to move fast enough to catch a-Yuan should he fall.

 

“Gege! You’re awake!”

 

Lan Xichen smiles at a-Yuan’s enthusiasm. “I am indeed. Are you on watch duty?”

 

A-Yuan nods hard enough to send his fringe flying. “Wei-gege said he had something to do but he didn’t want to leave you all alone.”

 

“That’s very kind of you both,” Lan Xichen tells him quietly. His head is feeling a bit tender, but he can’t find it in himself to admonish a-Yuan for being a bit loud. They’re not in Cloud Recesses, and he’s such a happy child.

 

But a-Yuan seems to be more sensitive to others than Lan Xichen would have expected from such a young child. He ducks his head and says, much quieter, “Wei-gege says I should be qui-et and gen-tle because you are hurt.”

 

He repeats the two words slowly, his voice screwed up in concentration and Lan Xichen’s heart melts.

 

“Do not worry, a-Yuan. Your presence is of great help. Would you like to tell me about your day?”

 

That cheers a-Yuan up again, and he keeps up an enthusiastic patter of tenuously connected anecdotes until Wei Wuxian returns with a knowing smile.

 

Lan Xichen gets the distinct impression that his ‘being busy’ had been little more than a front, and attempts to convey his gratitude with a look that makes Wei Wuxian’s smile wider.

 

From the third day on, Lan Xichen is allowed to move again, though under strict orders not to overdo it. It’s almost a moot worry – quick movements aggravate the healing wound in painful ways that Lan Xichen soon learns to avoid, and he feels weak on his legs in a way he never has before. For the moment, he physically doesn’t seem capable to do anything but take it easy. It’s a new experience, recovering from this serious an injury, and a powerful motivator in avoiding such injury in future even if his loved ones’ worry weren’t enough already.

 

The fresh air outside helps, the sun on his face and the breeze in his hair, the quiet sound of waves lapping under the open pavilion near his sickroom that he starts frequenting. Most of that time is spent meditating, circulating his qi to bolster damaged pathways. He wishes he could play Liebing, but deep breaths still hurt enough that he dares not try.

 

Wei Wuxian doesn’t always join him in the pavilion, but he’s never far away either, to the point that Lan Xichen starts to wonder whether he’s worried Lan Xichen will fall off the pier and drown in his weakened state. Or perhaps that he’ll disappear if Wei Wuxian lets him out of his sight for more than five minutes. Sometimes he brings a-Yuan, who is a great distraction from aches and the guilt of continued inaction.

 

After a fourth long day of fussing, Lan Xichen pens a somewhat frustrated letter to Yanli, which carries the added goal of reassuring his friend in his own words that he’s doing fine. It’s not solely concerned with his recovery, of course – he also apologises for disrupting her wedding. It was a sour revelation, when his mind first cleared enough for thought after waking, that he has marred the week that should have been the happiest of occasions for her by almost dying and instigating a shake-up in the Jin Sect that she will, more like than not, have to deal with.

 

The letter leaves with a disciple bearing word of sect matters to Jiang Wanyin at Koi Tower.

 

On the fifth day, Lan Xichen begins carefully running through the gentlest stretches in his arsenal. It’s not comfortable yet, but it takes his mind off the mystery of what’s happening at Koi Tower. Wei Wuxian, eyes dark with shared worry, joins him without a word.

 

That lasts until Lan Zhaofeng sweeps through the door, gaze zeroing in on Lan Xichen.

 

“Lan Xichen,” she demands, hands on her hips. “What do I hear about you getting yourself skewered? I always thought you were more sensible than that!”

 

Lan Xichen straightens with a wince, ignoring Wei Wuxian’s delighted expression as he faces the Lan Sect’s foremost healer. She has known him since he was a babe and is a good enough healer that she isn’t shy about making her opinions known. He knows she is fond of him, too, but he hadn’t expected her to make the trip to Lotus Pier once she heard of his injury – he can remember no more than a handful of times that she left Cloud Recesses.

 

He bows to her, ignoring the way it pulls at his injury, and smiles. “I apologise, Lan Zhaofeng. This one will do better at remembering not to get skewered in future.”

 

Lan Zhaofeng tsks at him, loud enough to drown out the choking noises coming from Wei Wuxian’s direction.

 

“Silly boy,” she murmurs fondly, and before he can blink she has him by the arm and deposits him back on his bed. “Let me have a look then.”

 

Though her brow darkens when she takes in the placing of the wounds, front and back, she hmms contemplatively on further examination.

 

“These have been very well tended.”

 

“That would be because I tended them,” Wen Qing says from the doorway, frost tinging her voice.

 

When he looks towards the door, Lan Xichen finds Wei Wuxian making an apologetic face in his direction.

 

Lan Zhaofeng ignores her for long enough to redo the bandages, then rises and greets Wen Qing properly.

 

“We have heard of Wen-daifu’s skills and it seems they were not exaggerated. How did you deal with the internal bleeding?”

 

Wen Qing frowns a little, some of the fight going out of her stance now that it’s clear Lan Zhaofeng doesn’t intend to challenge her methods or competency. Lan Zhaofeng waits impassively as Wen Qing looks her over, making up her mind.

 

Finally she jerks her head to the door. “Let’s discuss it over some tea.”

 

Lan Zhaofeng smiles and dips her head. “It would be my pleasure.”

 

They depart together, leaving some amount of stunned silence in their wake.

 

Finally Wei Wuxian ventures, “This is your Head Healer? It’s a wonder anyone ever dared to let themselves be injured.”

 

Lan Xichen shakes his head, lips twitching in a mix of fondness and nostalgia. “She does not suffer fools gladly, but she is not as gruff as she appears to be.” He blinks a little. “I did not expect her to make the trip here.”

 

Wei Wuxian sits down next to him, ever so gently bumping their arms. “Of course she did, Xichen-ge. How could she not, when it’s you?”

 

Lan Xichen has no answer to that.

 

*

 

On the sixth day, Wangji returns.

 

With him are Jiang Wanyin with his disciples and – a little to his surprise – Mingjue, who must have split from Huaisang and the majority of his disciples on the way. Jiang Wanyin’s pinched expression tells of deep-seated reluctance, likely at having left Yanli at Koi Tower while it resembles an ant hill more than a Sect holding. Lan Xichen knows Yanli would have refused to return to Lotus Pier so soon after the wedding, and Jiang Wanyin could not have stayed for much longer (or left disciples there to guard here) without giving serious offence by implying that Jin Zixuan isn’t capable of keeping his wife safe. Jiang Wanyin might not have cared if he’s worried enough, but Yanli would – and neither of her brothers have ever been able to win an argument with her.

 

Lan Xichen turns his attention back to Wangji to find his brother giving him a narrow-eyed once-over. He smiles reassuringly, which doesn’t seem to put Wangji’s mind at ease. When Lan Xichen feels the cool tickle of his didi’s spiritual energy reaching out to him, he stays calm and open, letting him ascertain the truth of Lan Xichen’s recovery for himself.

 

Jiang Wanyin casts a gaze over the assembled, nodding at Lan Xichen, and announces, “Jin Zixuan has officially been named Jin-zongzhu.”

 

Mingjue snorts, though quietly. “He’s going to need months to clean house over there. If he’s smart.”

 

Wei Wuxian voices what Lan Xichen is thinking, his expression flinty, grip around Chengqing tight. “What about Jin Guangshan and Jin Guangyao?”

 

“Exiled,” Wangji says, gaze still on Lan Xichen. “On their way to Dongying.”

 

Lan Xichen nods. It’s the best outcome he could’ve hoped for.

 

“Jin Guangyao spilled all when it became clear his father meant to use him as a scapegoat.” Jiang Wanyin’s voice is contemptuous, eyes flashing. “Adding that to Xue Yang’s presence, not even Sect Leader Yao could argue that Jin Guangshan is innocent.”

 

Not that he necessarily would have tried, one he realised that the other big sects were all united in this matter. The man is a weathercock.

 

Lan Xichen is tempted to ask after Yanli, but deems it a little too public a setting, resolving to find Jiang Wanyin later. Fortunately, Wangji also bears a reply letter from Yanli, who reassures him that she does not consider him at fault for recent events. She does not come right out and say it, but there’s a strong undercurrent of ‘if I had to choose between you and my in-laws, it wouldn’t even be a contest’ that leaves him feeling rather fond.

 

However, Yanli has no sympathy where his determined caretakers are concerned.

 

You always look after everyone else – let us look after you for once.

 

Lan Xichen stares at the words in elegant black ink and his heart clenches.

 

*

 

Mingjue finds him on his favourite pier while everyone else is still settling in.

 

“Xichen,” he greets, eyes giving him yet another scrutinising once-over.

 

Lan Xichen ignores his gaze and smiles in welcome, gesturing to the seat opposite. Before he can decide on a topic of conversation – none of the candidates being, coincidentally, his health – Mingjue says, “I asked Jiang Wanyin about becoming sworn brothers.”

 

Lan Xichen blinks his surprise. “Should I not have been there? I have been thinking how to approach – ”

 

Overthinking, more likely,” Mingjue interrupts, one eyebrow raised. “I was being nice – he wouldn’t have been able to say no to you.”

 

That just confuses him more. “He said no?”

 

Mingjue sighs, giving Lan Xichen a pointed look he fails to be able to interpret. “He thought it was a good idea, actually. Especially with what just happened.”

 

At this point Lan Xichen is happy to let his confused silence speak for itself.

 

“As sworn brothers, we would have been well in our rights to swear vengeance on anyone who harms you,” Mingjue elaborates with a sharp smile that has terrified entire armies, Lan Xichen is sure. “Neither of us were happy with our lack of official sanction to be offended on your behalf.”

 

Lan Xichen clears his throat, trying to ignore mental visions of the kind of mess Koi Tower would have been left in if they had. “Surely I am not likely to get stabbed again any time soon,” he offers weakly.

 

This sudden, bafflingly overwhelming care for his health from all directions has him a little off-kilter. Wangji he understands, of course, and Mingjue has known him for a long time, but these days even the odd Jiang disciple inquires after his wellbeing, as well as several of the Wen and he doesn’t quite know what to do with it all.

 

Mingjue growls a little, deep in his throat. “We’ll make sure of it. Besides, Jiang Wanyin was hardly going to pass up another reason for you to come to Lotus Pier regularly, not when you and your brother seem to calm his disastrous brother better than anyone other than Jiang Yanli. Wei Wuxian makes me look politically level-headed.”

 

Lan Xichen doesn’t quite know where to start with that. “He’s just…” he starts, then trails of. “He has a good heart.”

 

“I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t believe that,” Mingjue says, voice almost gentle. He looks past Lan Xichen at the lotus pond, expression entirely calm. “We can have the ceremony here, once the healers release you from their clutches.”

 

Lan Xichen winces. Wen Qing and Lan Zhaofeng have settled into a slightly baffling relationship marked by amiable bickering and they make for a terrifying force where their patients are concerned.

 

*

 

Lan Xichen trusts Mingjue’s word, but he seeks out Jiang Wanyin nonetheless – there’s a separate matter that needs to be addressed before they can, or rather should, take the next step.

 

Jiang Wanyin is in his office, bent over deeply familiar piles of paperwork – there’s only so much a sect leader can delegate. His expression of surprise when it is Lan Xichen who enters quickly morphs into something a little more guarded.

 

“Did Nie Mingjue talk to you? He said it was your idea.”

 

There’s something brittle in his voice, stemming from an assumption Lan Xichen does his best to immediately dispel.

 

“Peace, Jiang Wanyin.” Lan Xichen smiles at him, keeping his expression gentle. “It was indeed my idea to swear brotherhood with you as well as Mingjue and I would not change my mind.”

 

The set of Jiang Wanyin’s shoulders relaxes a fraction. “Oh.” He frowns. “Then why did you seek me out here?”

 

“I wanted to make certain that this is what you want as well,” Lan Xichen tells him calmly, sitting when Jiang Wanyin gestures for him to do so. “I know Mingjue can be a little… overwhelming when he is set on a course.”

 

The line between Jiang Wanyin’s brows deepens and he sets aside the brush in his hand. “Why wouldn’t it be?”

 

Lan Xichen breathes in deeply. It would only cause harm not to be direct now, little as he wants to remind Jiang Wanyin of this particular part of the past.

 

He meets Jiang Wanyin’s questioning gaze. “Not too long ago, I was party to a grievous deception, which you were rightly angry about. I would not take it amiss if you needed more time to –”

 

Jiang Wanyin stops him with a slash of the hand, expression gone tight. His other hand has strayed to his midsection, knuckles going white before he brings himself under control once more.

 

“I have worked hard at letting my anger at Wei Wuxian go,” he finally says. His voice is steady. “I never particularly blamed you – you had no involvement in the… event, and I understand your motivations, at least. Any anger at you I might have had is long gone.”

 

Lan Xichen inclines his head, in gratitude and acceptance of Jiang Wanyin’s judgment of himself.

 

He briefly considers asking about Jiang Wanyin’s relationship with Mingjue – he’s quite aware that they haven’t interacted nearly as much as Lan Xichen has with both – but decides to let it lie. They’re both capable adults who neither need nor likely want Lan Xichen to interfere.

 

*

 

The ceremony is simple, despite the depths of its sentiment.

 

Lan Xichen doesn’t mind, and he doesn’t think Mingjue or Jiang Wanyin – Wanyin now that the man in question had offered (his scowl as he did so might have worried Lan Xichen if he didn’t know Wanyin well enough by now to be aware that it’s his default expression when anything treaded close to emotions) – do either.

 

*

 

Now that the first haze of convalescence has passed, Lan Xichen finds himself noticing new problems that hadn’t seemed quite as pressing previously. He misses making music with a deep and unexpected ache, fingers twitching for a xiao he knows it would be foolish to properly attempt to play right now. Singing is out of the question for the same reason, and his guqin is in Cloud Recesses, entirely out of reach. He hadn’t felt it necessary to bring the instrument to Koi Tower, not with Liebing, his preferred tool of musical cultivation, always readily at hand.

 

He regrets that now and eventually gives in and asks Wei Wuxian whether they have any spare instruments at Lotus Pier that he could use while his stay lasted.

 

Wei Wuxian looks strangely pleased with the imposition and immediately hares off in search of one, returning not long after with a guqin in his arms. It’s not as nice an instrument as Lan Xichen’s own, or Wangji’s Wangji, but the first note he plucks rings clear in the air and it’s been recently tuned. He knows his thanks to Wei Wuxian are absent-minded, his focus almost wholly on the instrument in front of him, but he can’t quite manage to tear himself away and only barely notices Wei Wuxian retreating again with a smile.

 

Lan Xichen plays until his fingers are sore and he’s stiff from sitting up in the same position for so long, and his spirit feels immeasurably lighter for it.

 

Wangji had come to accompany him for a while, his own melody merging effortlessly with Lan Xichen’s, and now sits quietly at his side, gaze trained on Lan Xichen’s stilling fingers.

 

“Xiongzhang is out of practice,” he observes, outward solemnity hiding the teasing spark underlying the words that few would notice and Lan Xichen loves to hear.

 

He hums his agreement. “Perhaps I have been relying on Liebing too much of late.” He allows himself the smallest of sighs. “I should have ample opportunity to practice over the next few days.”

 

Wangji nods, apparently satisfied with Lan Xichen’s acceptance. There’s something in his expression still, a hesitance that suggests there’s perhaps something else he wants to talk about and can’t find the words for. Given recent revelations, Lan Xichen can make an educated guess.

 

“You gave Wei Wuxian the plate from your second ribbon,” he says, a gentle opening for Wangji to take or ignore. “Months ago.”

 

“Mn.”

 

Lan Xichen’s lips twitch at the familiar reticence. Even gentler, he adds, “I am glad Wei Wuxian is amenable to courtship.”

 

That earns him a laser-focused stare. “It could… cause problems. For you,” Wangji finally says, words reluctantly dragged from his lips.

 

Lan Xichen shakes his head. “It does not matter, didi. Your happiness is worth everything.” He smiles. “Besides, as long as you are not endangering the sect, I can deal with any other consequences.”

 

Wangji’s gaze turns mildly reproachful.

 

“Which a union between you and Wei Wuxian would not do, not now,” Lan Xichen continues, soothing.

 

Yet the reproach remains.

 

“Xiongzhang already works too hard,” Wangji murmurs, something almost sad around the edges of his expression that hurts to see even as the outline of the problem becomes clearer. The last thing Lan Xichen wants is for Wangji to turn away from his love in favour of duty and supporting his brother, as noble as the idea is – not when it’s not necessary.

 

“There are others who can help me, Wangji,” he says quietly. “Nor will you need to give your place in the sect up entirely, I promise you.”

 

Whatever negotiations he’s going to have to enter to ensure it, he would do so without a second thought.

 

The stubborn slash of Wangji’s mouth says ‘but none as good at it as I’ and Lan Xichen is glad he does not say it out loud – it’s the truth, after all.

 

“We will work it out,” he says, with utter certainty, and eventually Wangji nods.

 

There will be fights about it in the future, or as close to fights as the Twin Jades get (stubborn silences and disappointed glances), but Lan Xichen is already nearly certain that Wangji loves Wei Wuxian too much to truly protest Lan Xichen’s help in this matter. And Wei Wuxian is a free spirit, and frighteningly bright – he’ll make sure his husband doesn’t exhaust himself trying to prop up two sects when Lan Xichen can’t.

 

*

 

Lan Xichen takes to playing the guqin on the little pier outside his room and it’s the best he’s felt since his injury, music floating around him and fresh air in his lungs and hair. Tranquillity plucks at his breastbone, easing his breathing that last smidgeon into deepness.

 

Nonetheless, he isn’t put out when his ears catch the quiet patter of small feet and a-Yuan’s curious face appears in his field of vision.

 

Lan Xichen stills his hands, letting the last notes fade away, but a-Yuan immediately shakes his head, eyes wide and beseeching.

 

“Gege play more music!” He pauses, face scrunching as he recalls his manners, and adds, “Please.”

 

Lan Xichen smiles at him. “Do you wish to observe from a closer vantage point?”

 

A-Yuan promptly plopping himself down in his lap over Lan Xichen’s crossed legs isn’t quite what he’d had in mind, but he doesn’t complain.

 

With a-Yuan’s gaze riveted on his hands, he begins playing once more, choosing a more playful upbeat tune. He wonders if anyone else knows of the boy’s interest in music – Wei Wuxian perhaps, who surely still plays his dizi regularly?

 

A-Yuan all but wriggling in joy at a particularly pleasing chord progression distracts him from that line of thought and when he finishes the piece with a flourish, he asks, “Do you want to try yourself?”

 

To demonstrate, he plucks a single note, letting it reverberate to the fullest without stilling the string again. A-Yuan nods and reaches out with his small finger, unerringly finding the same spot Lan Xichen had plucked and coaxing a smaller sound out of the instrument. Even with only a part of the side of a-Yuan’s face visible to him, Lan Xichen can see his wide grin.

 

The spontaneous introductory guqin lesson lasts until the sun is westering and it’s time for dinner, and still a-Yuan looks disappointed when they stop.

 

“How about you ask your Wei-gege about more music lessons?” Lan Xichen offers gently. “And you would certainly always be welcome in Cloud Recesses to learn.”

 

Even knowing a-Yuan is an affectionate child, the sudden hug he bestows on Lan Xichen, little face pressing into his chest for a long moment, catches him by surprise.

 

*

 

Almost two weeks after he was stabbed in Koi Tower, Wen Qing and Lan Zhaofeng finally agree that he’s likely not going to kill or reinjure himself going back to Cloud Recesses. He’s still not allowed to fly on his own sword, flying with Wangji, who doesn’t show any strain at the addition weight, instead while Lan Zhaofeng hovers just off to the side in case he needs further assistance.

 

Privately he thinks they are all being a little too careful, but the only time he had ventured an opinion in that direction he’d been shouted down by three people all at once, so he’s kept quiet since then.

 

He does feel better. His spiritual energy has recovered nicely and the wound itself barely bothers him anymore, only twinging when he contorts his torso. Lan Xichen isn’t going to claim he’s entirely recovered yet, but he is doing fine. Lan Zhaofeng, at the very least, should be quite aware of that, but she cheerfully lets him be smothered by care instead.

 

Wangji must have obtained special dispensation, for instead of setting down at the foot of the mountain he carries straight on through the protective wards and lands at the outermost buildings. To spare Lan Xichen the climb up the stairs, no doubt.

 

Before he can do more than dismount and shake his head at Wangji, Shufu comes striding towards them, the harsh planes of his expression softening minutely as he sees Lan Xichen upright and looking hale enough. Duty kept him here, but Lan Xichen has never been blind to Lan Qiren’s regard for both his nephews and he knows the man would have preferred to have kept an eye on Lan Xichen’s recovery himself.

 

Lan Xichen bows deeply to him and Shufu’s expression softens further.

 

“Welcome home, Lan Huan,” he says. “It is good to see you well again.”

 

Lan Xichen suppresses a wince – Shufu must’ve seen his injuries while still in Koi Tower; a sight that would stay with anyone.

 

“It is good to be home,” he returns as Wangji comes to stand by his side. He’s about to open his mouth again to ask after the Sect and what work he should prioritise over the next few days, when he catches Wangji and Shufu exchanging a speaking glance and instead finds himself firmly herded to the Hanshi to rest.

 

He supposes tomorrow will come soon enough, and submits to the herding.

 

 

The first time he moves unwisely in public and isn’t able to entirely hide his wince, a gaggle of clucking disciples immediately surrounds him, voicing concern and offers of aid in a confusing rush of sound. Nothing will do for them but that he sits down and lets himself be brought tea, though he gently but firmly heads them off when they start discussing getting a healer.

 

“I am perfectly all right,” he assures them, and when that doesn’t have the desired effect, he adds, “And you are all about to be late to your class with Hanguang-jun.”

 

That sets them scattering, Wangji’s reputation as bright as it has ever been. Back in the Hanshi, Lan Xichen allows himself a small smile. The brief flare of pain has already vanished again and he takes another few moments to consciously circulate his qi – it wouldn’t even have happened if he hadn’t pushed himself through his entire training regimen this morning for the first time since Koi Tower. Several weeks of smaller exercise left him aching after this one, but the wound had barely complained, and he knows that he’s very close to full recovery. That alone is cause for joy, and good in terms of practical considerations, too. He has been out of commission for too long already, many of the burdens of Sect leadership falling to Shufu in his infirmity. The cultivation world is still feeling the aftershocks of the events at Koi Tower and the Lan need to be seen as strong and unwavering.

 

Besides, with Wangji and Wei Wuxian openly courting now, there’re going to be months of nightmarish work and negotiations to figure out how the head disciple of Yunmeng Jiang and Second Young Master of Gusu Lan may marry without utterly forsaking their sects. Not that Lan Xichen can bring himself to be upset at the added workload – not when he can see his didi’s happiness in every glance at Wei Wuxian, the very line of his body whenever Wei Wuxian is near, the extra energy his guqin playing has recently adopted.

 

The negotiations also mean he has plenty of reasons to visit Yunmeng this year. A visit to the Unclean Realm is scheduled for next month and he’s considering whether to try and teach Huaisang how to play Clarity.

 

Smiling softly to himself, Lan Xichen turns from the open window and settles down to compose a letter to Yanli.

 

***

 

END

Notes:

Thanks everyone for following me on this journey - I appreciate every single one of you.

I'm sure I'll remember some plot point I forgot to deal with in a week's time, but in the interest of ever finishing this chapter that just kept growing, I hope you're all satisfied with the ending.