Actions

Work Header

A Wolf Among Thorns

Summary:

The Tyrell's have always been ambitious, ruthless players in the game, and Sansa Stark finds herself caught in the middle of their schemes. Will she find happiness with her new husband? And will the Tyrells finally take the Iron Throne? Willas/Sansa, eventual Robb/Margaery, Jon/?

Chapter 1: So It Starts

Notes:

soooo this is another wip and this is one of my fav couples that could have been! I have a lot of this pre-written and will do staggered uploads.

some notes: there will be character deaths, I'm not as brutal as grrm but this ain't all fluff. the main couples are: willas/sansa, robb/margaery, still debating on some others. main povs are the people in the main couples though may include others. this has fluff, angst, identity crises, all sorts. this will be canon compliant to season 3 and from there will go off the rails madly.

please let me know if you enjoy this, comments are always appreciated, ty

(See the end of the chapter for more notes.)

Chapter Text

He sat there, brooding. Some would argue he looked angry, pissed, perhaps a little resigned, but his face did not give enough away to determine fully. In truth he felt all three, like a weight pressed down on his shoulders, the first signs of a headache making themselves known on his skull. His teeth gritted, grinding, and the tension was clear across his spine as he sat up, resisting the urge to let his head fall into his hands. His hands were occupied anyway, holding the letter he had received a few hours earlier. He wanted to crumple it, throw it into the fire, but instead he held onto it, in a clenched fist.

He loved his Grandmother, the infamous Queen of Thorns. She had been his mentor growing up, had taught him more than any other. She had practically raised him, grooming him for Lordship. She scoffed the importance of jousting and tourneys and focused on teaching him politics, scheming, planning, the important things. He knew it was she who had taught him to rule, and to be damn good at it to. He was ambitious, smart, ruthless thanks to her, but with enough compassion to temper everything. She had melded him well to one day rule Highgarden.

Still, sometimes she could be a pain. She often acted alone, without consulting others, so hard-headed she didn't feel the need to consider other plans. It was well known Olenna Tyrell was the head of the family, the Matriarch, the reason they had leapt from strength to strength. And so, she didn't ask people what they thought, didn't consult them, she went with her plan, and to her credit it often worked. She was the reason their family was the second most powerful in Westeros, and ready in the wings to take first.

'It will require sacrifice on all parts'

Her words, and he had scoffed at that part; of course, there would be sacrifice. Margaery was set to marry the mad boy King, Loras had joined the Kingsguard to keep her safe. Garlan was stuck in King's Landing with Leonette his pregnant wife who longed for home and loathed the Capitol. His Mother was far from her children, his Father sat in the small council meetings ridiculed weekly. Everyone was making sacrifices, and evidently it was his turn too.

He looked down at the letter again and smiled a little at the first line; 'My dearest Willas'. He knew his Grandmother loved him. Margaery and he had always been her favourites. Loras and Garlan she loved too, but whilst they were off jousting with Father or learning sword technique from the Master at Arms, it was Willas and Margery their Grandmother doted on. As soon as he had been old enough to learn she had bounced him on her knee, telling him stories, teaching him, rearing him to be a good Lord. When Margaery had been born, she had taken his place on her knee, with Willas sat in front of them, legs crossed, listening. They had both been taught the same lesson over and over; do what needs to be done. She was grooming them to help the Tyrell name, as they would be the ones to do.

And now was clearly the time.

A sigh left his lips and he rose from his seat, one hand clutching the table, shaking a little as his other hand reached for his cane. He slowly moved from his chair and around the table, his limp as always slowing him down. He smiled a little to himself then, right now his limp was the least of his worries! Over the years he had gotten used to it and he barely noticed anymore. Sure, some mornings he woke up in pain, but that he was used to too. Sometimes it was a blessing or had been as a boy. It meant he avoided the fights, jousting and tourneys and focused on what was important. After all what was more important? Hitting one another with sticks? Or bringing a house to kneel through clever planning and words? He knew which he preferred.

He looked down at the letter again and grimaced to himself, he should have thrown it in the fire, and yet he knew he could not, now was the time for him to step up, his Grandmother had made it clear, and as he had read over her words again and again he could see the merit in her plan. It was a good plan, and he could not simply dismiss it because it required sacrifice on his part. He would do it, he would do as she asked (or rather told).

He would marry Sansa Stark.

Willas knew it was a risky move, daring even to attempt to steal the key to the North out from under the Lannister's, especially before Margaery was married and the Queen, but it was the only way. They could not let the Lannister's have the North, it would consolidate too much of their power, they would be unstoppable with another kingdom secured, no. They had to act first, they had to steal the North first, to move another rung up the ladder. If this worked then the Tyrell's would control the Reach and the North, and Tyrell children would one day sit on the Iron Throne. Hell, Lady Sansa may also be a way to secure the Riverland's too. It was the way forward, it had to be.

And as he read the letter for the 100th time he knew this was what had to be done. It was another rung on the ladder for their family. For a moment he drifted away, his mind going back to his lessons as a child, his Grandmother bouncing him on her knee as Margaery sat on the other. He remembered the smell of the flowers, the gentle breeze on his skin, Margaery's smile, and his Grandmothers words, over and over.

'You just do what needs to be done'

And so, he would.


Her smile was positively radiant as her handmaidens readied and dressed her for the day. She had a bounce in her step that had been absent for the past year, and her grin spoke to a happiness that had been absent for longer. She could barely keep her excitement at bay, and her handmaids were grinning too, happy to see their Lady happy for once. She was glowing, clearly overjoyed about something. The walls of ice she had built around herself were down, unable to contain her happiness. Her usual courtesies were still in place, but not as firmly as before, and that was clear as she looked in the mirror and her smile could not be contained.

"You look beautiful my Lady" One of her maids spoke and Sansa smiled at them as she looked across at herself. Her gown was a deep green, buttons of gold across the front, and myrish lace at the waist. It had been a gift from the Queen of Thorns, Olenna Tyrell and she had been asked to wear it today. It was hardly subtle but beautiful, and soon they would be her colours, the colours of Highgarden.

She was going to be Lady Sansa Tyrell; she was going to marry Lord Willas.

'Willas' 'Willas' 'Willas' She had tried it several times and ways on her tongue since she had found out, since Margaery had suggested it on a walk in the rose gardens. She had cried the night she had been told, sobbed into her pillow. The idea of escaping here … it was sustaining her and had been too overwhelming at first, and so she had sobbed, before excitement had taken over. She would soon leave this horrible place, and she would marry Lord Willas … 'Willas' 'Willas' 'Willas'.

The final steps of her morning routine were wrapping up. Her hair was brushed down her back, in a thick sheet of red. A few plaits were pinned back in the traditional Southern style, though less ostentatious than the Queen's, more simple, suitable for a young woman. She looked to the world like a noble Southern Lady, and that made her smile as she made her way to the door.

She did take a moment to compose herself, after all nothing had been announced yet, nothing set. She could not get too excited and give the game away. Margaery had made it very clear as they had walked together, Sansa holding back tears, Margaery all smiles until she had turned serious.

'Sansa, you must tell no one do you understand me?'

'I do, I promise'

'Sansa I am serious, if you tell a soul this union could be stopped and you'll be stuck here, do you understand'

A nod – 'I do'

'Then let us talk of your wedding, for it will need to happen fast … sister!'

And so, she knew she must keep quiet, and she took a deep breath before opening the doors. She must hold onto her stiff courtesies a little longer before she left this dreaded place. She banished the smile from her face, and kept her head down, eyes on the floor … honestly, part of it was not to give things away and another that this was her way of keeping herself safe. Once she left Kings Landing, she never wanted to return, she hated this place, hated feeling scared all of the time, she never wanted to come back.

She made her way to the Throne room, for the court session of the day. Her head was down, hands clasped in front of her, her eyes wide, her mouth a straight line. She said nothing with her face. This was how she had to act, and also still how she felt. She may be excited, but the years of abuse were not washed away with this one piece of good news. Still, she wanted to be happy, wanted to hold onto the good, and yet she still had to keep her smile away … for now.

Once she made her way into the court, she kept her eyes down. She ignored Joffrey sat on the Throne, an evil smirk playing on his lips. She did not look at Cersei, sat by his side, her own smirk somehow worse. She let her eyes slide past Tywin, his rigidness worse than hers but those eyes … always so cold and calculating, they made her shiver. She did however offer Tyrion a small but timid smile, the only Lannister who had ever been kind to her. She then made a beeline for the Tyrell family, intending to seek solace in their group. Once she had been forced to stand by Joffrey, or by herself, but now she stood among the Tyrell's, her soon to be family.

And they treated her like family. Margaery embraced her with a smile, throwing a sly wink her way that none saw but Olenna who rolled her eyes but smiled all the same. The cousins grinned at her and said good morning, Leonette gave her a kiss on the cheek and Garlan a big smile. They were kind to her, and that was what she needed after years of abuse. Sure, part of her knew that a large part of their interest in her was political, but she was sure that Margaery, Leonette and the other Tyrell's did care for her … it could surely be both. It as then she took a deep breath before Margaery took her hand in hers. They clutched each other tightly and Sansa kept her gaze down … now was the time.

Joffrey began the session of court. Lucky, he seemed bored rather than vicious today and soon recused himself. Tywin was immediately in his chair, the Throne that was as much his as it was Joffrey's if not more. After all Tywin had put him there, Tywin was the puppet master.

He sat rigid as lesser Lords and Knights came to him with dull problems and platitudes he cut through quickly. Almost an hour went by and Sansa felt tense, her hand now sticky but still clutching Margaery's hard. Her heart was thudding against her chest, she just wanted it confirmed, she didn't want anything to ruin it and as the minutes passed, she was convinced something would.

The idea of escaping Kings Landing, of leaving the hell she had been forced to reside in for years … of going to Highgarden, it was the only thing keeping her alive. She knew if the Lannister's found a way to stop this then she would lose all hope, all happiness, everything. Her eyes flickered to Cersei and Tywin then, and she thought of Joffrey for a moment … she could not stay here, she would not. She would rather fling herself from the tallest window in the Red Keep than be stuck here. The hope of leaving, of Willas, it was like a light inside of her, if snuffed out then that was it.

Another fifteen minutes went by and she was still as rigid as a board. Her hand hurt from gripping Margaery's, but her friend stood steadfast in holding her. She felt a little sick as time continued to tick on, and just as Mace stepped forward into the middle of the room, to stand in front of Tywin and the great Iron Throne, Sansa had to work hard not to lose her breakfast. Her heart skipped, hammering like a hummingbird as she waited, not even breathing, not a once.

"My Lord Hand" Mace spoke respectfully before pushing on, "A great union will soon be forged between our two houses, and I seek to strengthen it" His words were not his own but Olenna's, Sansa knew that. She glanced at the Queen of Thorns then, who's eyes were focused firmly on her son, a steely glint in her eye.

"I propose that we marry your ward Lady Sansa Stark to my eldest son and heir to Highgarden Lord Willas Tyrell" He said, with no pomp or circumstance, just facts, as Olenna had written them. A ripple of gossip ran across the room and Sansa felt all eyes on her. She was shaking a little now and Margaery's grip grew tighter. She also felt her other hand filled as Leonette stood next to her, another pillar of solidarity. Sansa felt tears well up in her eyes and smiled at Garlan's bride before turning back to proceedings.

Mace cleared his throat, "My son is in need of a wife, and Sansa is in need of a husband. This match will show more unity between our two houses and cement our alliance" A pause then, another whisper across the room, "This will ensure the North is safe and secured"

For a moment silence fell as Mace finished and moved to stand back with the Tyrell flock. Mace's words sunk in as the silence continued, oppressive. Tywin's face was unreadable, but Cersei's was not, she looked murderous but did not dare speak, knowing her Father would respond first. Sansa risked a quick glance up but dropped her gaze immediately when she met Cersei's furious glare. At least Tyrion was smiling, though he was failing to hide his far too pleased smirk.

Tywin opened his mouth to speak, before Cersei interjected, clearly unable to hold back. Her eyes were filled with fury, her spine ramrod straight as she spoke up, "I do not see how this is beneficial to you or your family Lord Tyrell" Cersei paused then, her tone malicious as she continued, "The known daughter of a traitor and the sister of someone who is in open rebellion against us betrothed to the heir of Highgarden?" Cersei raised an eyebrow then as mutters swept across the court, "It does not seem wise, putting your prized heir with a traitor"

Sansa felt her shoulders droop then as mutters across the room seemed louder. Tears pooled in her eyes, before she felt them replaced with something else, something cold, something strong. She felt anger. She wasn't sure if it was because of this one chance being almost snatched from her, or perhaps it was due to her time with the Tyrell's, but either way Sansa's gaze snapped up.

Sansa was a noble Lady! A Stark of Winterfell, a Princess of the North! How dare Cersei Lannister say she was not good enough. The Stark's were descended from the First Men, had inhabited Westeros long before the Andal's the Lannister's descended from had even stepped foot on these lands. She was a Stark, a wolf! She would not let Cersei demean her, not when her once chance was about to be taken away from her.

Her gaze flickered to Cersei, a cold sapphire blue and she opened her mouth to speak, before she felt a hard yank on her arm, and a crush to her fingers that almost had her squeal in pain. She felt Margaery tug her back, and Leonette step hard on her foot, both with false smiles plastered on their face. Olenna stepped in front of them then, shuffling forward, acting more frail than usual as Margaery spoke through her teeth, her false smile never faltering.

"Do not say a word Sansa, not a word" Her voice was barely a whisper, but Sansa understood quickly and felt panic surge up her throat. She had almost forgotten herself and felt tears pool in her eyes again, a cold shiver sweeping over her. She had almost broken, would have defended her family. That is exactly what Cersei would have wanted! For her to defend the Starks, to rile her up and speak treason. As a result, it would have been easy for Tywin to refuse the Tyrell's on the basis of Sansa being too dangerous to leave King's Landing.

She had almost lost everything, and she felt sick again. For months she had been a scared little girl, crying into her pillow, shaking in the corridors and praying for hours to leave this place, and she had almost ruined it by standing up for herself, could have ruined everything. She turned to Margaery then, smiled at her and gave her hand a light squeeze, thank goodness for her friend … for she had saved her. Sansa knew the colour had drained from her face, and she felt ill at what had almost helped, but Margaery nudged her to look forward as Olenna spoke.

"Yes, her father and brother may be traitors, but she is not" Olenna said with a shrug, "If I remember correctly, she wrote to her brother and urged him to bend the knee, did she not?" Olenna said, her eyes focused on Tywin Lannister, for he would make the call here. "She will be good for my grandson, and he her, and as my son said, she will strengthen our alliance, and we know this alliance is of paramount importance" There it was, the last word, not quite a threat but enough, and so Tywin's face changed, it was almost unnoticeable but it was there, a tightening of the jaw, a flash in the eyes. It had been decided.

"It seems I cannot refuse" Sansa felt her heart leap into her throat as the head of the Lannister family spoke. Her relief almost had her collapse to her knees, and only Margaery and Leonettes grip kept her standing.

Tywin continued, holding a hand up to silence his daughter as Cersei went to speak. "The two will marry a week before Joffrey and Margaery, Lord Willas can then stay for the royal wedding" Tywin nodded, "It is decided then"

Lady Olenna nodded, "It is" And with a smile she turned back to her flock, and smiled at Sansa, as Sansa felt her smile would burst. Olenna had played it perfectly, Tywin would not have been able to refuse without damaging the alliance. For the Tyrell's this was a political win, and for Sansa it was simply her freedom, she felt giddy with relief.

"Good" Tywin said, tone clipped as he rose from the throne, "Court is finished for the day, any other matters will be resolved tomorrow" A nod and he left the room, not sparing the Tyrell's a glance. Cersei soon followed, though stopped to shoot a hateful glare in their direction. As soon as they left Sansa turned to Margaery, a smile of utter delight on her face and reflected in the brunette.

She could not stop her joy, as excitement, joy and pure relief hit her hard. Tears slid down her cheeks like rain on a window and she felt herself shaking, clutching Margaery tightly as Leonette kissed her cheek and made to leave with Garlan. Sansa felt she should go lie down for she felt so excited and yet exhausted with relief now, but Margaery had other ideas.

"Thank you" Sansa spoke softly, to Margaery in thanks for many things, stopping her from ruining it all, comforting her, being her friend. She was free! She would leave this dreadful Capitol, she would leave and never come back. She would marry Lord Willas, and though Margaery had only told her bits of what he was like, but she had promised he was a good man. She would marry Lord Willas, have children with red and brown hair, and she would never return to Kings Landing again. She would be free! She did try to calm herself not to be naïve, after all she had never even met Willas! And yet she could not contain her excitement, her joy and relief. All that mattered was that she would be free!

Margaery only laughed at her thank you and then pulled both of Sansa's hands into her own. "No need, we will be sisters now, just as I had hoped" She pulled Sansa into a hug and Sansa squeezed the girl with a smile, as Margaery placed a gentle kiss to her cheek, before swiping away at her tears.

"Now, my dear sister, no more tears, lets go the market, we have cause to celebrate after all, and I think a new dress or five will do just the trick, don't you agree?"

She did and with a grin she followed the brunette, out to the market, out of the throne room and onto a new chapter.


 

Notes:

lol, I almost cut off the last sentence before it said chapter and I presumed it was part of the end note.

anywho hope you enjoyed, lemme know if you did, check out my fics and all that, self promo makes me awkward my b.

see you soon