Actions

Work Header

Rating:
Archive Warning:
Categories:
Fandoms:
Relationships:
Characters:
Additional Tags:
Language:
English
Stats:
Published:
2020-05-25
Completed:
2020-10-17
Words:
81,847
Chapters:
22/22
Comments:
234
Kudos:
275
Bookmarks:
52
Hits:
8,312

These Arms of Mine

Summary:

“Hey babe, I know you said you didn’t want anything but I got you another iced tea anyway”
Too-gorgeous-for-this-world man was back, and holding out a drink to Finn… what? Finn’s confusion must have shown on his face, because too-gorgeous-for-this-world winked at him (oh god, he winked?!) and turned to the douchebag.
“Hey pal, I’m the boyfriend, who are you?” Oh. Now it made sense. He had clearly seen this idiot trying to start something, and had come over to save him. Wow. That actually happened in real life?

 

Finn Windu is just a confused masters student trying to work his life out back in the civilian world. Poe Dameron is a damaged but charming former pilot with a major crush. Leia is pretty convinced they'd be perfect together, and when is she ever wrong?

Notes:

Okay, first ever fic. Indulgent, slow-burn Stormpilot because I can. I have nothing to do this summer but write, so I'm hoping to update at least once a week. If you'd like to beta for me please let me know because I'd love that. Comments/kudos would make my day<3

Chapter 1: Douchebags and Dinner Parties

Chapter Text

“Um, excuse me? Is anyone sitting there? It’s just crazy busy in here and there’s nowhere else so could I maybe…”

The voice interrupted Finn halfway through a complex thought so it took him a minute to register what exactly had been said. The delay might also have had something to do with the man stood in front of him. He was…there were no two ways about it, he was gorgeous. He had curly hair with just a hint of grey, five o’clock shadow that accentuated his perfect jawline, caramel eyes, and he was wearing a faded brown leather jacket that hung off him like it was designed just for him. Finn shook himself out of his daze and responded quickly, lest the man think he was some kind of idiot.

“Oh, god, yeah of course, sorry I’ll just move all of my crap, I just sort of spread out when I’m working, sorry-” He reached for the mess of books he’d littered across the table as he spoke, rushing to clear a space so the man could put down his coffee.

“It’s fine, don’t worry about it! I won’t take up any space, so you can go on reading about, uh, sewers…?” His voice trailed off as he picked up one of Finn’s books, and Finn felt his face heat as he realised how odd this might look to someone unfamiliar with his research.

He rushed to explain, “No, oh god, it’s for my course, sorry, it looks weird I know, but I study civil engineering”

“Oh that makes a lot more sense… I bet you get some weird looks carrying these around!” He smiled down at Finn as he placed the book on top of the stack he’d made and Finn’s heart did a weird little flip. His teeth were straight and white and his lips were plump and his whole face lit up as he grinned at Finn…

okay, Finn told himself, time to stop being creepy and go back to your books. “Ha, yes, yes I do. Sorry. Um, anyway.”

“I’m bothering you while you’re trying to study, I’m sorry, I’ll shut up now and you won’t even notice I’m here.” He smiled at Finn one last time as he settled in, taking a sip of coffee and unlocking his phone.

Finn smiled back, and went back to work, trying desperately to ignore the urge to gawp at the breath-taking man across the tiny table from him. Soon enough, his efforts were successful as he got drawn back into his notes, losing himself in the familiar routine of studying in his favourite coffee shop. He didn’t notice how long had gone by until he was interrupted again.

“Hey, um, I was going to grab another coffee, would you be okay to watch my stuff?”

Finn’s table-partner was looking at him hopefully and he’d have to be made of stone to refuse – “No, of course, no problem”

“Great, thank you! Um, do you want anything?” Wow, he was considerate too. If he got any better Finn would be in danger of developing a serious crush.

“No, thank you though, that’s really nice of you to offer”.

“Okay, if you’re sure.” He responded easily, shooting a glance at the ice cubes melting at the bottom of Finn’s empty glass of iced tea, clearly understanding that he was too polite to ask even if he had finished his drink. He got up and headed towards the counter, and Finn looked back to his notebook, trying to remember what exactly he had been thinking before.

He sensed a presence above him and looked up, surprised the gorgeous man had been able to get served so quickly considering the whole coffee shop was full. Instead, there was another man stood over him, a little too close for comfort and already glaring down at him in a way that instantly made him feel uncomfortable. His height and the way he was looming menacingly made Finn want to shrink into his chair but he forced himself to sit still, fixing the newcomer with a raised eyebrow and an expectant gaze.

“This place is full. There are no seats.”

“Ah, yeah, it’s pretty rammed today…?” Finn trailed off into a question, wondering what exactly this had to do with him.

“So you need to move. I need a seat, and you have one, and you need to move.” The man spoke as if to a toddler, patronising and slow, and loomed ever closer.

“Hey babe, I know you said you didn’t want anything but I got you another iced tea anyway” Too-gorgeous-for-this-world man was back, and holding out a drink to Finn… what? Finn’s confusion must have shown on his face, because too-gorgeous-for-this-world winked at him (oh god, he winked?!) and turned to the douchebag.

“Hey pal, I’m the boyfriend, who are you?” Oh. Now it made sense. He had clearly seen this idiot trying to start something, and had come over to save him. Wow. That actually happened in real life?

“Boyfriend? What the hell? Disgusting. I was telling him that he needs to move. There are no other seats and I need a table, so you’re both going to have to move.” Too-gorgeous-for-this-world raised his eyebrows in what looked like surprise, and his eyes quickly scanned the douchebag. He snorted as he saw what Finn had also seen, the “Make D’Qar Great Again” t-shirt that the guy was wearing. Suddenly, it all seemed to make sense.

“Yeah, that ain’t gonna happen. More to the point, you’re not getting a seat in here at all, so I think it’s time you leave. Now.” Finn tried to hide a smirk as his knight in shining armour chewed out the douchebag.

“Look, people like you don’t get to tell people like me what to do.” Douchebag responded, looking too-gorgeous-for-this-world up and down and nearly jabbing him in the chest with a pointed finger. Okay, so douchebag was quickly upgraded to absolute prick in Finn’s mind, and he was clearly trying to escalate an already horrible altercation. Finn was about to jump to his feet and tell douchebag exactly what he thought when another voice chimed in.

“I think you need to listen to Professor Dameron and get your racist ass out of my shop, boy. Right now.”

This new voice came from a tiny woman, she would barely have come up to Finn’s chest, and she had glasses like jam jars on, but he took one look at her and knew she was not someone to be messed with. Of course, it helped that she was flanked by two other men; one slightly chubby but definitely solid, and the other tall and angry looking with a nose that must have been broken more than once.

It seemed douchebag had made the same quick assessment Finn had and realised this was not a fight he could win, because he sloped off quickly, heading out of the door and down the street, muttering bile the whole way out.

Finn watched him go and then looked up to see the two new men giving too-gorgeous-for-this-world hugs and slapping him on the back, laughing and joking. Clearly, they knew each other. They gave Finn understanding smiles and headed towards the counter, slipping into spots in the queue which had they must have been occupying before the incident. The tiny woman had already disappeared back behind the counter, and Finn could only just see the top of her head.

“Hey, buddy, I’m really sorry that escalated, and I didn’t mean to swoop in like you couldn’t look after yourself or anything-“ Too-gorgeous-for-this-world was giving Finn a worried look, like he’d be angry that he’d dared to step in.

“Oh god no, thank you for that, seriously, he was a jerk and it was really nice of you to-“

“I just get pissed off when I see that kind of thing, you know?”

“Yeah, I do, I get pissed off when that kind of thing happens too. No one’s ever done that before though.” Finn tried to joke, already embarrassed by everything that had gone on.

“Well, they should do. Um, I’m Poe Dameron by the way.” Poe gave Finn a smile and reached out to shake his hand. He prayed his wasn’t clammy as they shook, smiling back as if he wasn’t completely dazzled by Poe, or obsessing over how warm and big and perfect his hands were.

“Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Finn Windu.”

“Good to meet you man.” Poe’s grin wasn’t disappearing, and Finn felt like a deer caught in headlights, quickly realising he needed to let go of the other man’s hand.

“So um, did you know those guys?” He asked, desperate to keep the conversation going.

“Oh, yeah, that’s Snap and Mando, they’re friends of mine. Just lucky they were around right then I guess.” Poe spared a glance to the counter where Snap and Mando were waiting for their drinks, deep in conversation.

“I guess you’re right. That was nice of them. Thanks for the iced tea by the way, you really didn’t have to.”

“Nah, I figured it was only polite”. Poe’s smile was back, and Finn couldn’t help but return it.

 

It turned out that he and Finn got on really well – they spent an hour just chatting, any awkwardness dispelled by the fact that Poe had come to Finn’s aid earlier. Finn learned that Poe was a professor at the university, specialising in the history of resistance movements, and that he was a retired Air Force Pilot. His face shuttered when he mentioned his military past, so Finn quickly moved the conversation on to a new topic – after all, he knew what it was like not to want to talk about serving. Apparently, Poe had a dog, Beebee, and his whole face lit up when he talked about her.

Finn thought it was adorable, and was on the verge of asking to see pictures when he realised he was about to be late, and loathe as he was to cut this conversation short, he absolutely had to be on time.

“I need to go, I have a class, I’m really sorry, it was so nice to meet you, except obviously the douchebag part-“

“I should probably be heading out too, I didn’t realise how long I’d been here. It was great to chat to you Finn, really.” Poe’s smile was so genuine, and Finn was glad he hadn’t been bothering him by talking his ear off.

He shot Poe one last smile and headed out the door, refusing to look over his shoulder like some bashful schoolgirl, reminding himself that as a man as gorgeous as Poe was obviously taken, or straight, or both, and would never have been interested in someone like him.

He managed to resist turning round to catch another look at Poe, not realising the man was watching him leave.

 

 

---

 

 

Finn made it to class with only a couple of minutes to spare. He had just sunk into his seat towards the back when Professor Hux swept in, looking as perturbed as usual, and began droning on about advanced foundation design. Finn tried not to fall asleep to his professor’s monotonous voice (and utterly tedious lecture), and instead slipped his phone out of his pocket. He had a text from Rey.

Rey: You’re coming to dinner tonight right?

Finn: Only if you promise I won’t be forced to address your boyfriend as “Kylo”?

Rey: I never should have told you about that. He was just a teenager! Besides, he’s gotten so much better, you have to admit

Finn: I guess. He’s always going to be an emo tho. You just need to accept that your man is tragic.

Rey: Han’s making lasagne.

Finn: Fine. I’ll be there. But ONLY because of the lasagne.

Finn snorted at the row of angel emojis that Rey sent him in response, and tried to focus on his lecture. It was slightly easier now he knew he could at least eat decent food later, and he was looking forward to catching up with his best friend, even if it meant seeing her dorky boyfriend too.

They’d been close since they were kids, when they’d been lumped together in a group home. Rey had been just as much of a lonely misfit as Finn, and they’d spent most of their childhood together, avoiding the other kids in the home. They’d both been in and out of foster care, but it never seemed to stick, and after Rey stole (and subsequently crashed) her foster father’s prized antique car, she’d been a permanent fixture at the home. Finn’s fosters were similarly unsuccessful, and he’d taken the first opportunity he could to get out of there, signing up for the army the moment he was old enough. Rey had been pissed, but she’d sent him letters and they’d kept in touch. The other recruits used to make crude comments, assuming she was a girlfriend, and Finn had let them believe it, reluctant to discover how they’d react if they knew he was gay. Eventually, he’d had enough and had got the hell out of dodge, returning home as soon as his tour was up and reconnecting with Rey. Despite the distance that had grown between them, their friendship picked right back up when Finn got back, and he’d soon been folded into the little family she’d made for herself – sulky boyfriend included.

They might not have been his real family, but Finn never felt quite as at home as he did with the Solos and their extended clan. Not to mention Han made a really great lasagne.

 

 

---

 

 

Poe is still sitting in the coffee shop an hour later. He’s mostly been looking at his phone, and if he’s ended up staring into space and dreaming of a beautiful man with perfect shoulders and an armful of civil engineering books, well that’s nobody’s business but his own. He’s midway through another daydream when his phone rings. He looks at the caller ID and scrambles to pick up when he sees who it is.

“General! Hi! What can I do for you?”

“Poe Dameron you promised you would call me this week. It’s Friday. Don’t think I can’t sense when you’re avoiding me.” The voice on the other end of the line is stern – if Poe didn’t know her as well as he does he’d almost think she was really mad.

“I promise I’m not avoiding you General, I’ve just been busy. This term is really kicking my ass.”

“Are you sleeping?”

“Yes, every night.”

“Hmm, I’m not sure I believe you, I know you too well for that. And because I know you, I know you’ve probably not eaten a homecooked meal in days, if not weeks. Am I right?”

“Er… well… I made grilled cheese last night?” His voice is sheepish, and he’s blushing. Only the General could guilt trip him from miles away.

“That’s what I thought. It won’t do. Be here at seven for dinner.”

“Oh, thank you but really ma’am, I’m alright, I don’t-“

“How many times have I told you not to call me that. It makes me feel old. You’re not trying to make me feel old are you Poe?”

“Never, you’re not, you couldn’t-“

“Good. So, seven. You’ll be here.”

He sighs in defeat. “Yes General, I’ll be there.”

“Good boy. Bring that wine I like and I’ll see if I can persuade Han to make garlic bread for you.”

“Now that’s a deal.” He’s smiling as he hangs up, realising that he always feels better when he speaks to Leia, and he really needs to stop worrying about bothering her and just call her more often. Like she always tells him, if she doesn’t want to talk to him, she’ll tell him. At least now he has dinner to look forward to. First though, he needs to go get the General’s favourite wine.

 

 

---

 

 

When Poe arrives at the General’s house, the driveway is already full of cars. There’s Han’s beat up sports car (“Fastest car in town, did the Kessel track in 12 parsecs, have I told you that story kid?”), Chewie’s pristine truck, Ben’s black-and-red monstrosity with the added chrome (such an emo car, so much fun to mock), and even Luke and Wedge’s respectable four-door out on the street in front. He has to park down the block, and by the time he’s walked the few hundred metres to the front door, there’s a bicycle leaning against the house, and a figure already ringing the doorbell. A figure that he recognises…

”Finn? Buddy?”

“Poe? What are you doing here?” Finn looks confused but he’s smiling, so Poe doesn’t mind too much, and he takes a second to stare before gathering himself to answer – he doesn’t get chance because the door swings open right then and Ben’s tiny, over-excitable girlfriend is throwing herself on Finn.

“I missed you! Why did you take so long? I kinda thought you weren’t going to come! Oh, hi Poe, have you two met? Finn you have to hear this story Han is telling, it’s ridiculous-“

Finn lets himself be led inside, shaking his head at Rey’s incessant chatter and toeing off his shoes in the entryway. Poe follows suit, a little confused about what exactly is happening. How is Finn here? How does he know Rey?

He wanders in, bottle of wine in hand, and lets them go, turning towards the kitchen instead. Chewie rumbles a hello from where he’s adding things to Han’s lasagne mix, putting a finger to his lips to ensure Poe won’t rat him out. Of course, Poe has long since realised that all of Han’s best cooking, like his driving, is mostly Chewie’s doing, so he mimes zipping his lips and carries on looking for-

“Poe Dameron you get your butt in here and give me a damn hug. You’d better have my wine!” There she is.

“Hi General” He embraces her gladly, feeling just a little of the weight of the week leaving his shoulders, “Yep, it’s right here”. He hands the bottle over, and she’s already got a corkscrew from somewhere and is shepherding him back into the kitchen, winking at Chewie as she goes, and pouring them both a glass. She makes up a quick scotch for Chewie and slides it across, leans on the counter and turns to Poe with a serious look.

“You’re not sleeping. I can see it on your face.”

“I am, I promise, just a few early morning classes this week and a lot of grading.” He raises his hands to protest his innocence because in his defence, he really has been trying to get to bed at a decent time.

“Hmmm. Just this once I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt. How are your classes anyway?”

“Good actually, some of these kids really seem to get it. I have one girl who’s thinking about a project on the benefits of economic boycotts to resistance morale, and I feel like I’m really starting to get through to them.” He’s smiling, like he always does when he talks about his students, and Leia’s eyes are twinkling as she surveys him, taking a deep sip of wine.

“I’m so happy for you. Remember, if you see anyone brilliant, send them my way. I’ve got two intern slots to fill this year and I’d like at least one spitfire type. You know I like a rebel.”

“You are a rebel.” He teases her.

“Oh not anymore, far too old for that.”

“I told you, you could never-“

“Poe Dameron are you trying to butter up my wife again?” A deep voice interrupts his compliment, and suddenly Han is gripping his shoulder. “I told you before, you don’t stand a chance flyboy.” He’s smiling though, and Poe knows he’s joking so he’s not too worried. He’s about to offer a cheeky comment when Han spots Chewie.

“What the hell? Chewie if you’re doctoring my food again we are going to have a fight!” As Chewie and Han begin to bicker affectionately, Poe remembers what he wanted to ask Leia.

“So, um, there’s a new face tonight?” He tries not to look too interested, but Leia has always seen right through him and this is no different.

“Ah. You’ve met Finn. Charming boy. What did you think?” She’s smirking, and he knows he’s in for it.

“Oh. We uh, we actually met earlier today, at Maz's coffee shop. He’s… well he’s…”

“Gorgeous? Funny? Smart? Just your type? Yes I know.” The General’s smirk is growing, and Poe begins to blush beet red and tries to stammer out an answer, but she cuts him off.

“I’ve been trying to get you two together for a long time, but one of you is always busy. I suppose the universe finally managed it for me.”

“How do you know him?” Poe eventually manages to blurt out.

“He’s Rey’s oldest and best friend. They grew up together.”

She’s interrupted by her husband’s arms wrapping round her waist, and Han interjects “You know Leia and her strays” before stealing her wine and wandering back to the stove. Leia smiles fondly, and shrugs, turning to help her husband and fix everyone drinks.

Poe reckons it’s time he braved the other room and the incredibly attractive man he knows is in there.