Actions

Work Header

Seven Minutes

Summary:

Wall shaking vibrations.

Chemical atmosphere.

Teenagers lost in a drug filled haze.

Teenage rebellion at its finest.

It’s everything you’d expect from one of the biggest high school parties of the year.

 

Little did Sean know, he was going down the most thrilling yet terrifying path of this night.

Chapter 1: Melancholy Hill

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Just looking out for the day, when you’re close to me..”

The joyful song echoed through Sean’s mind through his left earbud as he fixed his dark eyes on the clouds above, through the bus window. 

He took note of the shades of grey and shapes of the clouds, imagining what silly artwork he’d be asked to draw in them by his persistent, yet annoyingly imaginative younger brother. 

Zombies? UFO with Aliens? Both? Daniel would probably want them both.

Sean let his mind run with ideas before he was nudged back to reality.

“Yo Sean! Why are you so emo today?” Lyla yanked Sean’s side of the earbuds out of his ear as Sean whipped his head around.

“Lyla, cut it out! and I’m not emo, I just got into shit this morning with my dad and Daniel,” Sean took back his earbud, putting back in his ear. 

Lyla leaned toward him, wanting an explanation.

“What did my little Daniel do this time?” 

Sean glanced back out the bus window, trying to ignore her curiosity. 

“Dude! You know I’m not going to stop burning a hole through your head with my stare until you tell me.” 

Hesitating, Sean slowly turned his head to face the begging Lyla beside him. 

“Daniel just..” Sean sighed deeply before continuing, “..went through my shit while I was asleep last night and.. showed my embarrassing messages to Jenn to my dad and.. I guess I freaked out.” 

“Sean, I swear, you freak out about the weirdest things.”

”Do not! You know how annoying Daniel can be, he’s such a brat! Getting into my shit all the time!” Sean bursted out. 

“Yeah but he’s a kid, Sean. He’s supposed to be the immature, obvious one. Not you.” 

Lyla laughs, ruffling Sean’s shaggy hair that he never got around to cutting. 

“You’re cute when you care though, shows you’re not actually going emo on me. That I can still joke with my sensitive Sean.” 

Lyla playfully nudged Sean’s arm as he collected himself. “You can always joke with me Lyla, you know that. I’m just not in the mood today.” 

Sktch.

The bus then came to a halt, causing both of them to come back to their teenage reality. 

“Well, another eventful fucking day at Hell High!” Lyla yanked Sean’s earbud out of his ear once again, causing him to yelp.

”Would you stop that?!” 

“Let’s fucking go, loser! I’ve got shit to do before class!” Lyla jumped up, grabbed her bag and reached for Sean’s hand. 

Sean wrapped his headphones up and swung his bag over a shoulder, fixing his shag before locking with Lyla’s hand as she dragged him off the bus. 

Lyla linked arms with Sean as they walked down the main hall to get to their lockers in the friendly way they have been doing since they were kids, never thinking much of it.

He remembers over the years, since the close relationship they’ve had for so long, people would always mistaken them for a couple or that they had been crushing on each other but, it was never like that for them. 

They’ve always loved each other but it has always been platonic. Especially after their first kiss when they were in 3rd grade playing truth or dare with a few other kids in their grade and slightly older.

“I bet you won’t do it!” a vague child’s voice echoes in his memory. 

Sweating, 8 year old Sean scanned the circle of children staring at him impatiently, wanting him to take the dare as his mind ran a million miles a second. 

“I-I don’t know..”, he muttered nervously. 

“Rules are rules, Sean!” shouted an oddly overdressed, slightly older pale child with a glossy fixed brown hairdo. 

Sean locked eyes with him as he mischievously edged him along to the dare with a wide smile on his face. 

Sean quickly looked away, flustered as he avoided eye contact with him any longer than needed. 

Taking a deep breath, Sean leaned in and pecked his best friend on the lips. 

All of the children celebrated in a loud manner as Sean finally did his dare, leaving him and Lyla red in the face with embarrassment.

Reminiscing that memory again 5 years later during their 8th grade year, they both agreed that was just an experience to laugh at and move forward with, leaving anything romantically experimental between them behind after nothing more happened. 

 

 

Clicking his locker open, Sean unloaded his backpack as Lyla was rambling on to him about her ‘Momster’ as Lyla calls her, catching her with weed in her room the other night, Sean only half listening. 

“Dude, are you fucking with her though?”

Sean glanced over to the loud voice, erupting from across the hall. 

“Nah, you know I don’t go for girls like that.” 

Sean watched as a slightly shorter, tatted, dreaded haired boy leaned against the lockers with skateboard in hand opposite them, tilted his head to the side as his 2 similarly styled friends pushed more questions in his face. 

Sean let his eyes linger over the boy’s apparel, taking in his unusual style; a slightly dirty white t-shirt under worn out black overalls with a pair of red high top converse. 

Sean quietly admired how his dreads fell over his face and how his smile etched across his face more and more everytime his friends would playfully ask more questions about this mystery girl.

Sean felt his heart jump into his throat suddenly when those piercing blue eyes locked with his deep brown ones. 

Shooting his eyes back into his opened locker, his face became a light shade of pink. 

”Dude are you even listening to me? I’m trying to- wait,” Lyla inched closer to Sean’s hidden face, “what are you doing Sean?”

Sean coughed awkwardly as he finally shut his locker, facing Lyla. 

“Uh, I just.. I forgot about Finn for a second.” 

Lyla looked around her, finding Finn still leaned against the lockers, his attention on his friends once again.

”We’ve been going to school with him for like what, 8 years? and you just forgot that he goes to school with us?” 

“No! It’s just, he’s not here much lately, he skips school a lot, remember?” 

“Sure but he’s a senior, we’ll be doing it soon enough too.” Lyla leaned against the locker next to Sean, trying to his read his underlying emotions. 

”Like when did he get dreads?”, Sean awkwardly laughed, zipping up his backpack. 

Lyla looked at him confused, “Dude are you high right now? What’s going on with you?” 

“Nothing, just not here today I guess.” 

Sean put his backpack strap over one shoulder and started walking away but before he could, Lyla pulled him into a hug. 

“I love you man. Talk to me if shit is going on, don’t be a little bitch.” 

Sean laughed into the hug as they lingered in it, slightly feeling eyes on them. 

“Yo, your boyfriend is looking at you.” 

Sean flushed, breaking the hug to scan behind him. 

Once again locking eyes, Finn broke contact almost instantly as him and his friends continued down the hall. 

Lyla chuckled, “Dude, you got a crush or something?” 

“What? No! No way! Shut up, Lyla!”, Sean said defensively.

”I’m just fucking with you, Sean! Take a breath!”, Lyla laughed again. “I do have to go though, gotta take care of some shit.” 

Sean rolled his eyes. 

“Okay. I’ll see you after chem, Lyla. Love ya.”

“You better, Sean Diaz!” 

Notes:

I hope y’all like this so far! I’m trying to make it as interesting as possible for a first chapter haha!
I’m gonna try to update this as soon as I can! hopefully writers block won’t get me yet! haha anyway! see you guys next chapter!