Actions

Work Header

The Beauty and the Vampire

Summary:

The story of how Dracula Vlad Tepes and Lisa of Lupu fell in love.

Eventually.

Notes:

Part of this chapter takes from the first few scenes of the show to build from the show into my story.

(See the end of the work for more notes and other works inspired by this one.)

Chapter 1: Day 1

Chapter Text

Lisa’s heart had been pounding as she stood in front of the castle, glancing up at it even as she steeled herself. She was going to do this. Too many people had turned her away for being a woman of science, or more ridiculously for being a witch. They’d said a monster lived here, but that he knew more than any man. And she was willing to risk it on that despite the army of skeletons that had greeted her when she walked up, having to pass through them as she saw lights at the top of the castle.

A beautiful castle in a sea of death…

It was enough to take her breath away, even as she looked up at the doors.

Door that looks like they lead into another world with the way they loomed over her, the setting sun casting shadows that made her wonder if everything seemed bigger than it actually was. She let out a breath finally and banged the hilt of her knife against the door, shocked when it swung open with ease. She would have expected… More resistance. Of some sort.

Slowly, she stepped inside, eyes wide as she took in the candles. The grandeur. Even if the outside was gorgeous, the inside put it to shame in a way she hadn’t thought possible. Her knife stayed in hand as she became distracted by the beauty that contrasted so starkly with the death she had seen outside.
Nearly jumped out of her skin as the door slammed shut at the same time she caught sight of a man at the top of the stairs. At least, she assumed it was a man. They were too far for her to be certain.

“My name is Lisa. I am from the village of Lupu. I want to be a doctor,” she called simply as she sheathed her knife, not intending to be a threat to the person she wanted to teach her. A beast of a being that supposed had managed to kill all of those outside while also knowing the secrets of healing. Of helping.

To which they vanished, only to appear near her side. “You bang on my front door because you want to draw chicken blood on peasants,” a deep voice practically mocked her.

Words she had heard many times before, leaving her anger to bubble up as she turned to try to get a better look at him, some of fear slipping away as she felt old anger return to her. “Do not mistake me for a witch. Everyone out there already does that,” she snapped, turning back towards the stairs as she looked for him again. “I believe in science, but I need to know more. I have exhausted my other options, and all the stories say the man that lives here has secret knowledge.” Well, they used a different word. Not a man. A beast. A monster. Not a good foot to start on.

She froze for a moment as she felt cool breath on the back of her neck before that voice started again. “I am Vlad Dracula Tepes, and I do not get many visitors. What have you to trade for my knowledge, Lisa?” he asked, giving her enough time to pull herself together while he tried to… scare her?

Despite her pounding heart, she stepped away and turned on him. “Well, perhaps I could help you relearn some manners,” she shot back, raising her chin a bit as she realized just how tall he was. Towering over her, and incredibly pale. But definitely still a man. If he was a monster, the only thing that signified it right now were those red eyes. “You haven’t offered to take my coat or even something to drink.”

But her words seemed to surprise him as he looked down at her, cloak surrounding most of him. Still trying to intimidate her like everyone else in her path had. Like she wasn’t aware of the stories or what she was asking.

“Well, what if I took a drink from you? Or have you warded yourself with silver. Or crosses. Garlic and other superstitions,” he answered, voice still quiet, but now sounding more annoyed than anything. That someone would dare to enter his home and ask for his help. It was almost… petulant. Like a child that kept having his toys taken from him.

She couldn’t help the laughter that bubbled up a bit, remembering her lunch.

“I might have eaten some roasted garlic earlier. Is that rude? It was all I had left,” she explained with a slight smile, feeling some of her fear ebb away. Vlad might be a monster, but he also didn’t seem particularly intent on hurting her right now. His movements had made clear he was more than fast enough to take her if he wanted to. “I just want to learn. And you are the last of my options to do so. I’m really not interested in superstition. Or being some muttering witch.”

Either her words or her laughter broke something in him as he chuckled, stepping past her before circling her, taking her in. She didn’t move, as much as she felt like circled prey in this moment. If nothing else, this man was a predator. “I don’t want to lure people with nettles and entrails. I want to heal people. Will you help me?” she finally asked as he circled back around to her side, meeting his gaze, even if she had to tilt her head slightly to do it.

“You certainly aren’t like other humans I’ve met recently,” he chuckled quietly.

She snorted quietly, though it wasn’t a no. That was more than so many had given her. “Well, I could teach you about humans and you can teach me about being a doctor. Maybe, by the end of it, you will put up with them. Or at least not put them on stakes,” she said, wrinkling her nose.

Which earned her another laugh as he motioned for her to follow. He seemed to glide as he passed her, not quite managing the same steps that most people did. Like his feet never quite touched the floor. She quickly followed though, taking in the castle. “I haven’t done that in a long time. I just see no reason to take them down,” he half explained, no details actually forthcoming.

She raised an eyebrow at him as she followed quickly, falling into step beside him. “Well, then that’s plenty of reason for you to go back out and actually meet modern people,” she retorted. “Being cooped up here is no way of living.”

“You have been five minutes and you are telling me how to live my life,” he commented, turning to lead her further into the castle and away from the front doors.
“Because you’re hiding behind that big cloak of yours and enjoying humans spread horrifying stories about you,” she grumbled, shaking her head. She couldn’t imagine staying here for years on end. That’s what it felt like with him, anyways. “If you’re going to teach me something, I’m going to teach you something. And that will be to at least tolerate humans. You share the world with them after all.”

The stairs wound underneath them as she spoke, eyes roaming over the designs that she was beginning to see now that she was adjusting to the dimmer lighting inside. Lighting that certainly wasn’t fire… It was amazing. She wasn’t sure how the light was made, but it cemented the idea that she had come to the right place, even if the man of the castle was a bit daunting.

“I don’t know how much a human could teach someone as old as me, but I suppose you will have a chance to try if you stay,” Vlad murmured next to her, turning them down a long hallway. It truly was a maze of a castle, if one got turned around.

Still, she felt a spring of joy when he said she would have a chance to try to teach him something. “Wonderful,” she said brightly, pausing when he finally found the door he was apparently looking for, pushing it open and cutting off whatever she might have said next.

“This will be your room for as long as you are here,” he said quietly, motioning for her to go ahead and go in. “Unless you have some objection.”

She took a slow step in, turning slowly to examine the whole thing. It was stunning, to say the least. Still a bit dark like what else she had seen so far, but it was well furnished with several bookshelves and a fireplace, which were truly her priority. While the window was heavily curtained, she could tell it was huge with the fabric draping from floor to ceiling next to the bed. And the bed… The bed was huge. Covered in a dark red duvet with gold thread woven throughout to create intricate swirls. And a huge, wooden armoire. Beautiful, truly.

Even if it was obvious it hadn’t been used in a while.

Lisa didn’t realize how long she had been quiet as she heard him clear his throat politely behind her. “Oh! This will do. Though it might need some cleaning,” she teased, turning around to smile. It was certainly more than she had in Lupu. She wasn’t going to complain.

That seemed to take him back in surprise a bit as he glanced around, realizing the dust. “I did say I do not get guests very often,” he retorted, shaking his head slightly. “Feel free to get settled then. I will be downstairs. Come down when you would like to eat. The kitchen is off of where you came in.”

She watched him turn away, the way his cloak swished just slightly behind him. It truly was amazing to watch him move. He seemed to glide through the castle, slightly above it all. But she had to wonder how long he had been alone to give in so quickly to one person demanding to be taught. One woman from a town in the middle of nowhere.

She stood there for a moment longer in thought before finally sighing and going to put her own cloak up, taking her time to examine the room and get the fire going so that it would be comfortable when she came back.

By the time she was ready for dinner, she had to pause in the door as a thought hit her.

Who in the world could cook in a castle meant for a man like Vlad Tepes?

Chapter 2: Day 1

Summary:

Dinner with the Count, and other tiny clues.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Shockingly enough, Vlad was the one she found serving food when she made it downstairs, momentarily proud of not getting distracted by everything she passed. With his cloak pushed back to free up his movements, he was laying out enough food that it looked like a feast to her rather than just one meal for the two of them.

“Is there someone else joining us? Unless you’re hiding a large appetite under that cloak,” she asked curiously, moving to take a seat carefully. It smelled wonderful though, full of meat and cooked vegetables and a number of other things that she wasn’t used to seeing all in one place unless maybe there was a festival going on. Certainly, fit for a man that owned a castle like this, she supposed. However, it seemed like too much for just the two of them.

Vlad paused as he set the last plate down, glancing at the amount of food before shaking his head. “No, I just have not had the chance to cook in a while,” he said simply after considering all of the food.

Lisa laughed softly at such a simple explanation. So he just liked to cook. “Well, I will appreciate what I can within the confines of my own stomach,” she promised. “But you should make sure it doesn’t go to waste. There’s no way the two of us are going to eat all of this.” And she knew people outside had to be starving, since she hadn’t seen any servants here that would be eating it.

“I won’t be eating with you,” he said simply as he moved to pour himself a glass of what looked like wine, setting a glass of a different red wine in front of her. The colors were different enough to make her wonder just what was in his own glass.

“So this is all for me? Then we must make sure it gets taken out to others,” she said simply as she shook her head, noting the look of disbelief on his face. Like he hadn't even thought about the face that food would be wasted, or that others might want it. “Though you should make sure to take care of yourself. I cannot have a weak teacher.”

Still, she reached to fill up her plate, even as she tried to understand why he wasn’t eating. It felt rude to asked though. He was kind enough to take her in and agree to teach her. She couldn’t just walk in and demand every detail about his life, though she was already insisting he act a bit kinder to those around him. She wouldn’t put up with cruelty if she could help it. Or waste, in this case. She’s seen enough hunger to want to avoid more of that when she could help it. Even if she had to go down to the nearest village herself to give out food.

Vlad took that with a slight shake of his head though, not commenting as he leaned back in his chair and enjoyed his wine. They sat like that in silence until she was most of the way through the meal, him sipping at his wine and her enjoying her food. The only slightly awkward silence of two strangers who were now living together for at least a time.

“Why did you continue up here after seeing those outside?” he finally asked, the question obviously bothering him as he tilted his head a bit to the side, setting his mostly empty glass down.

Lisa blinked in surprise before she finished her current bite, shrugging slightly. “The way people described you… I knew I was getting into something when I arrived. But truly, no one will teach a woman medicine. Not anything worth learning, at least. I figured I could stand the risk for something I truly want to learn,” she answered steadily, meeting his gaze easily across the table. “Besides, none of the bodies out there are fresh. You may leave them up, but I knew before you told me that you did not still do such a thing.” She took another bite of the carrots, glad to have something outside of her wine to focus on besides him. Even if she wanted to take more of him in. He didn’t seem to be a monster, just a bit odd and lonely man.

That seemed to make him pause as he nodded slightly. “I suppose you have more bravery than many of your kind,” he said quietly, tipping his head towards in her recognition. “Hopefully, that bravery will not fail you.” He said it like a wish.

Like bravery failed the few that ended up on his doorstep.

It made her heart flutter a bit to wonder what had scared off others that might have shown up. “Lucky for me, I’m more stubborn than I can ever be afraid,” she said, raising her glass slightly towards him as if in toast and promise. “So, I shall stay at least until I learn enough to be a good doctor.”

That earned her a smile, a flash of sharper than expected teeth, and he raised his glass in return, letting them lapse back into silence as she finished her meal.

When she finished, she insisted on helping him clean up despite his assurances that he could handle it. If she was going to be staying here, she would help maintain the castle where she could. Still, she helped put the food away, pleased to discover an ice box that seemed to run similarly to the lights everywhere rather than using actual chunks of ice to keep the food cold. She was delighted as she examined it when they were done, trying to understand how it worked and missing the way Vlad made sure to put the bottle of his wine in a completely different area from the rest that she may drink.

She couldn’t quite figure out how it was powered, but she enjoyed thinking on it as she finally closed the door when she felt him watching her. “Right,” she said simply, pulling herself to full height. “Can you show me around properly, then? I’d like to be able to get around without having to ask where everything is.”

“I suppose I can. The lab will not be until tomorrow, though. And you are certainly not allowed in there without me,” he warned shortly, holding her gaze seriously until she nodded, leaving her to wonder what he might keep in there that could be so dangerous. “Good. Then I’ll show you the rest of the castle.” He motioned for her to follow as he turned away, cloaking settling around him properly again now that they were away from the table.

She kept pace with him, eyes wandering over the walls. “This truly is a stunning place,” she said quietly, fingers running over the stair railing as they headed back upstairs slowly. Outside of the kitchen, he didn’t seem intent to show her anything on the ground level. “And the lights are like nothing I’ve seen.”

He glanced at her curiously before nodding. “Yes, well, they are run by electricity. It is much less volatile than fire when properly maintained,” he explained. “Though I do not believe many others use it yet. “

“I do not think I have ever heard of someone using electricity,” she said quietly, glancing towards the lights. It certainly didn’t sound familiar, and the lamps on the walls provided far more steady light than anything she was used to. Reading by them would be much easier than by a fire or candle.

She asked a few more questions as they walked about how they worked, not quite understanding but curious none the less. All of which he answered in a rather simple manner. He occasionally pointed out different rooms, though much of it just seemed to be empty. Still, what she saw was beautiful. There was paintings and intricate detailing throughout the castle on the walls and even the ceilings. Far more extravagant than she had seen before. Which was how she nearly kept going when he finally paused in front of a door, watching her in slight amusement.

“This is the library. If you enjoy learning so much, I imagine you’ll quite enjoy it here,” Vlad said as he pushed the door open to reveal shelves upon shelves of books on two different stories. A second floor wrapped around above the first, giving a beautiful view of the area. “I have everything catalogued, so you can find it with ease. All I ask is you return things to where you find them.”

She stepped in, letting out a quiet breath. “This is wonderful! I can’t imagine taking the time to collect and then sort all of these!” she said softly in awe, eyes wide as she took it in. She might not have been able to learn medicine from others, but she loved to read.

“Conquests and time do that,” he said offhandedly, continuing talking as her gaze snapped to him in surprise. “I’ll pick out several for you to begin your studies on later tonight.”

Conquests?

That didn’t fit with what she knew about him, but it made a bit of sense. He had implied that he hadn’t been among people in years. But the bodies outside would suggest he had fought some sort of battle at some point. There was too many just for unwelcome guests… But how did he keep such a well-stocked library if he never left? It couldn’t be up to date just from long ago apparent conquests.

“Thank you,” she finally said, nodding slightly, unsure how to ask about what just had happened. It was too broad a topic. Maybe she could piece it together.

He nodded. “Of course. Any student of mine must at least be well read,” he said, turning to leave the library. “You are always welcome in here as long as you treat the books well.” He showed her other portions of the castle. The gardens were just as exquisite, full of life that she didn’t expect to find within the walls. Nearby an obvious training ring that didn’t appear to be in use anymore, though she spotted an armory. They even passed what might have been a chapel at once, though it appeared long in disrepair and showed no sign of the church except for some old stained glass.

They saw no sign of anyone else, continuing the idea that Vlad was the only person that lived her currently, though everything was exceedingly well kept. Even if he was the only one here, he kept everything in wonderful condition on his own. She could only imagine how much work it took to keep up such a big area by himself.

She was yawning by the end of it, the moon high in the sky outside.

“I apologize, I have kept you up. You should get some rest. I imagine your travels have exhausted you,” he said when she finished, steering her towards her room. “I will be up until sunrise if you need anything. Otherwise, I will see you tomorrow night.”

She paused at her door, head tilting a bit to the side at such odd hours. Maybe that was why he had developed such excellent lighting. Did he not like daytime? “It is quite alright. If I wake up earlier, I want to be able to find my way around,” she promised, waving off his apologies. “I look forward to it. Sleep well, Vlad.” She offered a smile before pushing her door open.

“Good night, Lisa of Lupu,” she heard him murmur as the door shut behind her.

Notes:

I hope you enjoyed! A new chapter will be coming soon

Chapter 3: Day 2

Summary:

Lisa begins her lessons and comes out with more questions than answers.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lisa didn’t actually expect him to sleep all of the next day, but he’d been kind enough to leave a small stack of books that he had apparently pick out next to her door as well as a change of clothes that seemed near her size. Which was more than a pleasant surprise considering she had only had a small bag of things with her when she arrived the day before…

It was nice to change into clean clothes after so long on the road, enjoying the soft material of a purple dress for a moment before going to find something to eat and a place to read. Beautiful. She had to wonder for a moment where he found something that fit her so well.

Still, it was nice to settle into something after walking through a sea of bodies of stakes. As long of those days were long ago, she was willing to give him a chance, and to hear why he had thought such a thing necessary.

She had found a nice spot to curl up in the courtyard under a treat with some of the books he had left for her afterwards, pouring over them. Because as much as she wanted to look at the lab, she didn’t want to risk the fact that she finally had a teacher. She couldn’t risk it. Not until she was certain he wouldn’t throw her out for not listening.

Even though she was still trying to pay attention to her surroundings, she nearly jumped out of her skin when he appeared beside her. “You should make some noise!” she snapped as she composed herself, glancing up from the ground in annoyance at him, heart pounding. How had he moved so quietly? She usually noticed when people approached her! Even when she was reading…

Still, the sun was setting now, well behind the castle walls, not hitting either of them.

Vlad lips twitched in amusement and offered her a hand; a cloak settled around his shoulders despite the warm air. “Perhaps you should pay more attention,” he answered lightly as she closed her book and took it to get to her feet despite her annoyance. “Though, I did not expect to find you outside. Or I would have been here sooner.”

Rolling her eyes, she couldn’t help but notice how cool his hand was as she made sure to mark the spot in the book. “It was a nice day. Which makes me wonder if you’re alright all bundled up in that cloak,” she said, reaching her hand up to touch his forehead to see if he had a fever without thinking. The material looked heavy, and while his hands felt alright albeit cool, it didn’t make any sense. Most people would be incredibly uncomfortable dressed like that right now…

But Vlad jerked back in surprise before she could touch his head. “How astute. No, I just tend to be. Colder than most,” he said as if picking his words carefully, a small frown spreading across his face. “Now, I believe you said you wanted to learn. I was going to show you my lab if you’re done being nosy.”

Her eyes widened even as she tried to process why he would be so offended by her worry. Of course, she wanted to see his lab! That’s why she was here, after all. But… “Well, yes. But I don’t want you getting sick,” she said, not getting the chance to continue that train of thought as he left her to catch up, heading back inside. How was being worried nosy?

His pace was brisk, well ahead of her as darkness fell properly behind them, leaving her unable to press further about if he was alright. With his long legs, it took a moment for her to catch up. Did he not liked to be touched? But he had been the one to offer her a hand up…

“So where is Lupu?” he asked when she finally managed to fall into step beside him.

Lisa blinked as she forced herself to take a breath, not expecting the question. Or the fact that he had never heard of it. It wasn’t far from here. She hadn’t had too far to walk, after all. It had only taken a few days. “You don’t travel much, do you?” she asked curiously, a small smile spreading across her face.

At least he wasn’t angry with her. She must have just surprised him. Being alone might make a person jumpy.

“I can travel! This whole apparatus is a traveling machine,” he retorted, almost defensive as he waved to the castle, leaving her to wonder how a castle could move. Not that she didn’t believe him, but it was beyond anything she knew about. Then again, so were his lights.

She relaxed slightly, letting her earlier worries slide to the side for now, not unforgotten but less important. If he wasn’t actually mad, just unused to being around someone, she could work with that. “But you don’t, do you?” she asked softly, teasing. “Maybe you should. The world is changing. You should travel, like people do. You might discover something you actually like about them.”

The way he paused for a moment, she hoped he thought about it. “You’ve known me for less than a day, and yet you offer me to walk the earth like a normal peasant,” he commented, shaking his head. He continued on, pushing a door open in front of them at the end of the entrance hall. “While I offer you the knowledge of immortals, the true science.”

Behind the door was a room far more magnificent than the library could have dreamed of.

Incredibly well lit, the gold of equipment gleamed. A telescope that pointed towards a currently closed window, lights like those that lit the castle. Beakers on top of well-organized tables. Balls of energy and plants growing inside glass enclosures. Even more bookshelves filled to the brim, likely as immaculately organized as those she had seen in the library. Lightening in spheres. Experiments she knew she couldn’t understand in various stages throughout the lab. And more she couldn’t see, even now.

She stepped past him, turning slowly as she took it with wide eyes, mouth open slightly in shock. Surrounded by things she vaguely recognized and others she certainly did not. It was the most beautiful thing she had ever seen.

“They won’t be peasants anymore if you teach them,” she finally managed as she turned back to him, face bright with wonder. “They won’t live such short, scared lives if they have real medicine! They won’t be so superstitious if they have the same knowledge as you.” There were so many possibilities hidden away in his castle. She wanted to see them all.

“Now why would I do that?”

His words cut through her amazement, leaving her to stare for a moment at him. “Because it’s the right thing to do,” she retorted, meeting his gaze easily. He looked amused, at least. Though she didn’t understand why he wouldn’t want to help others. “You can start with me. And I’ll start with you.”

She would make good on her promise to teach him to see the good in other humans. He couldn’t spend all of his time hidden away in this castle.

His face softened, a smile seeming to pull at the corners of his mouth before he bowed to her, holding out a hand to the rest of the lab left unseen. “I think I might like you,” he finally said, any prior annoyance gone.

Warmth spread through her at his approval, smiling before slowly moving to explore the rest of the lab. She paused, glancing back to take him in, still bowed with a small smile on his own face. “Well, Vlad Tepes, I think might like you too,” she said softly, watching him stand to full height again. Maybe he was a mysterious man, a man not well known by many. But she could feel that statement settle inside her properly. She might just like him too.

At least enough to know, for now, that whatever secrets he was hiding behind that big cloak were worth being his student.

She turned away, heading further into the lab, careful not to touch anything as he followed her this time. When she asked what things were or how they worked, he was happy to explain just as he was the night before, occasionally gracing her with another small smile when he questions became more complex.

Still, he was careful not to touch her again after earlier, keeping his hands within his cloak or not far from it. Though he didn’t jerk back like he had when she tried to touch his head, he still withdrew again if she seemed to be getting too close. Instead, he showed her how to use the most basic of the tools and occasionally asked her questions to gauge just how much she knew before showing up on his doorstep.

Which was how they spent several hours until her stomach finally protested the lack of attention, though he noticed it’s grumbling first. “Should we find something for you to eat then?” he asked, raising an eyebrow.

It was how they settled into the first of what would become many of her days in this lab, working through how different things worked and how she could assemble them. Quizzing her on different parts of the body and how things were interconnected. What an injury could mean to someone. What recovery time might look like depending on treatment. It mostly theoretical, making sure she had the groundwork that she would need to be a successful doctor.

And if they occasionally brushed hands, he relaxed a bit about it. Still, he was always cool to the touch. And while she wondered, she didn’t force the subject again. He never lost the cloak though, happy to retreat into it when he seemed to feel uncomfortable.

They were often interrupted by her stomach, much to her annoyance.

Still, he never ate with her, sticking to a wine that she noticed didn’t come from the same bottle as hers. A man full of mysteries that she had yet to understand. At least he was learning how to cook normal portions.

If those were her second set of lessons, she approached them more carefully. Those were words he refused to impart as readily, though she began to discover older things around the castles. Paintings of him with dates from over a hundred years ago, artifacts that she could not imagine how he had found them. Strange things that she just couldn’t quite add up yet, but he was intent on finding out.

At least he was happy to talk with her, seeming to miss having company around the castle. He didn’t talk much about his past though, leaving her guessing where he had found all of these books or the ability to build his lab.

A man with strange knowledge indeed. Maybe a strange sense of humor.

She wasn’t too sure which.

Notes:

This is a quick update because the next chapter is going to be at least 2000+ words and is picking up a bit (I'm in the middle of it). Let me know what you think! I love hearing from you all!

Chapter 4: Day 16

Summary:

Convincing Vlad to go into town was hard, convincing him to stay was harder.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

By the end of her second week, Lisa realized the food was going to begin going bad soon.

She frowned softly as she pulled out a plate for herself, looking at it all for a moment before sighing quietly. “We need to take some of this into town, Vlad. Otherwise it’s going to go to waste,” she commented.

He glanced up from where he was pouring his odd colored wine, eyebrows knitting together. “That is quite ridiculous. It would not be that much,” he retorted, putting the bottles away calmly.

“How would you know? You’re not the one that is eating it,” she answered, setting her plate down and holding his gaze. She’d noticed recently that she was the only one eating what was left in the fridge. The amount never seemed to change otherwise. She couldn’t understand how he wasn’t eating though. “So. We should go take it down the village.”

That seemed to make him pause for a moment, as if he had not expected her to notice. She used it as an excuse to keep going if he wasn’t ready to argue with her. “People down there need to eat just as much as I do, and you’re the one that cooked all of this delicious food. It would be a shame to let it go to waste-“

“We are not going down to the village. I would certainly not be welcome, so it would not help despite your efforts,” he finally answered, finding his voice.

Lisa pressed her lips together, head tilting a bit to the side. “I refuse to accept that,” she said shortly, taking a bit of her dinner. People always accepted food when they were hungry. “Besides, you need to get out of the castle. It is my turn to teach you.”

His glass hit the table, enough to make noise while managing not to shatter it. Demanding an end to the conversation. But she waited, continuing to enjoy her meal. Lisa of Lupu wasn’t known for backing down, otherwise she never would have ended up here. Instead, she ate in silence, giving him time to fume over her demand. It seemed to make him more uncomfortable than anything, the idea of leaving his castle. How long had it been? Since he had been among people he wasn’t trying to kill?

She’d go down by herself if she had to, but she didn’t want to. People were hungry down there, and if they had extra food, she would make sure they were fed. The silence stretched between them as she ate, refusing to break the silence.

“Fine,” he finally hissed in annoyance as she started to finish up, her own glass empty as well as most of her plate. “We can go tomorrow after sunset. But do not be surprised when they do not accept it."

After sunset? Still, a grin spread across her face despite the odd term. He had things to learn that were just as important as her learning medicine. “Wonderful! We’ll leave after you get up,” she agreed, getting up to wash her plate with a slight bounce in her step. It paid to be stubborn more often than not. If she had known him better, she might have kissed on the cheek in thanks. “You have to promise to try not to scare them, alright?”

That only earned her a huff as he stood, plucking the plate from her hands to clean it himself. “I am not changing how I present myself just for these humans,” he retorted.

She reached to grab their mostly empty glasses as well to clean, smiling to herself. What did shock her was the moment he whirled around to take the glasses from her hands before she could bring them to the sink. Blinking in shock, she looked up at him for a moment, still shocked he could move that quickly sometimes. “I can grab the dishes, you know,” she commented lightly.

“Yes, well. You can dry today,” he said, glancing at his own glass for a moment before turning away again for the sink. Leaving her to look at his back in confusion, unsure what he could be worrying about. It was just dishes…

Still she took her place next to him to dry, confused at his actions. He rarely made sense but that was a bit much. It must have something to do with whatever he was only barely attempting to hide from her. Like perhaps she should have known it when she arrived, but she had missed it. Yet to have figured that out, she couldn’t quite pull together the oddities of his character or the reason people called him a monster. Well, besides the stakes outside. Which she had pushed aside for the most part.

“Tomorrow won’t be so bad,” she promised quietly as she took the plate from him first when he was done. “Staying in this castle on your own has probably been quite bad for you. You have missed all the things humanity has learned.”

That earned her a quiet snort of disbelief. “And yet they have not caught up with me,” he grumbled quietly.

She pushed him lightly with her shoulder, smiling. “And that is why you are teaching me. So they can catch up. But you will see. People are not as bad as you say they are,” she promised. Maybe it was a good thing she was stubborn because he was just as bad.

He continued to half grumble under his breath whenever she brought it up, but he helped her pack up the food. It was amusing to watch someone who was supposed to be incredibly intimidating act like such a child about going down to the village. They wouldn’t even be going that far! She was going to get him out of his comfort zone. Which was apparently not very large.

He could not keep staying up here.

Which was how the next afternoon found the two heading out of the castle with a few bags of food, the sun just barely below the horizon. She had been hoping he would get up earlier for once, but even she wasn’t so lucky. It had given her time to decide her traveling clothes were probably best to wear rather than what he had given her though. He might intimidate people with his big cloak and occasionally harsh way of speaking, so it was better if she looked more like everyone else, she decided. Rather than the admittedly incredibly nice clothes he had somehow found for her.

She paused for a moment as they stepped out, looking at the bodies for a moment before sighing quietly. “You should take these down if they are not something you do anymore,” she commented quietly, heading back down the path she had arrived on a few weeks ago.

“Why? It keeps all but the most stubborn from my door,” he retorted without hesitation, falling into step beside her instead of pulling ahead like he was prone to. Like perhaps he wasn’t quite sure about what he was doing out here.

“And yet I doubt you regret me showing up,” she teased, raising an eyebrow. She certainly didn’t regret it. “But I don’t think you actually like being alone.”

The way he stiffened for a moment next to her made her think she might be right. “You’re quite presumptuous for someone who has only known me for a few weeks,” Vlad said, shaking his head as he seemed to pull into his cloak slightly.

That made her pause, thinking it through for a moment before finally shaking her head. She was certain of this, at least. “No. I think you didn’t know how to reach out after hiding yourself in that castle for so long,” she explained, trying to give him some background. “You were more than happy to have me around after you realized I wasn’t going to be cowed by you. And that I did actually want to learn medicine.”

“I don’t know who you would be cowed by at this point,” he muttered, though she could feel him watching her.

“Hardly anyone,” Lisa chirped with a grin up at him, pulling a chuckle from him.

Though they were walking through a sea of bodies on stakes, the rest of it felt calmer. Like they had settled a bit after addressing the sea of dead bodies. With any luck, maybe he would perhaps remove them. Or even some of them. She would take baby steps.

It was nearly an hour before they made it into town, the night luckily warm enough that people were still out, especially those that would be trying to scrounge some food up at this hour. They walked together, Vlad beginning to trail a bit behind her, uncomfortable surrounded even by these few people. Still, they made it towards the center of the village without incident.

“Oh good! Dearie, we were so worried about you going up to that cast-“ one of the village women started to say as she rushed over to the pair. She froze as the moment she saw Vlad behind her, eyes wide as the woman made the sign of the cross.

Lisa blinked in surprise, glancing behind her for a moment before turning to smile at the woman, trying to be reassuring and make sure Vlad knew she wouldn’t put up with this. She hadn’t expected that. “No, it’s okay. He’s a friend, I promise,” she promised, reaching to stop her gently, taking one of her hands to still her nerves. “We brought some of our food to share. I didn’t want it to go to waste.”

The woman glanced between her and Vlad, hand tightening around Lisa’s worriedly for a moment. “You need to be very careful,” she said quietly, a deep frown crossing her face.

“I’m always careful, and Vlad is an excellent host,” Lisa promised easily, shaking her head. “Why don’t you take some of this back to your family? You should all enjoy it.” She reached to pull one of the bundles of food from her bag, holding it out to her.

The woman glanced between them as she took the bread with shaky hands, crossing herself once more before nodding. “You take care, young lady,” she said softly before rushing away.

“I told you this wouldn’t be a good idea,” Vlad said shortly with a grimace, causing her to turn and look up at him. He… didn’t like not being accepted, she realized. Or at least respected. “There are reasons I do not come down here. I am surprised she even took the meal.”

Lisa stepped closer, offering a soft smile. “No, it is a good idea. Because she’s seeing that you aren’t just all dark cloaks and intimidation,” she promised gently, trying to reassure him while keeping a light tone. “And you’re seeing that these people worry about others. So everyone is seeing new things.”

“Yet, I have to contend with scared villagers make the cross at me?” he snapped, meeting her gaze. “It is not exactly how I would choose to spend a night.”

She resisted the urge to sigh as she took him for a moment. “It is just for tonight,” she reminded, hoping to ease what appeared to be nerves. Though, she had to admit, the sign of the cross was a bit unsettling. “They’ll see that you are willing to share what you have, and that will mean a lot to people like these. We’ll finish giving out the food and head back to the castle.”

His grimace only deepened at the idea of staying out here for longer before he finally nodded. “Fine. Fine, we may finish,” he said, giving in.

She smiled and nodded, reaching for his hand to pull him towards the village center. “It won’t be so bad,” she promised over her shoulder, hoping to find more people. If they were going to be out, they’d be in the center. Since she didn’t want to bring him to the inn, unsure how he or the people would react.

He still trailed behind her, though he allowed himself to be pulled along. When they did make it to the town center, she let go of his hand, certain he wouldn’t disappear now. She remembered seeing a few children around here last time that appeared without a family, though someone had mentioned they usually found somewhere to sleep for the night. They would need this most…

There they were!

She headed towards the fountain, crouching down a bit in front of the two sitting there, boy and a girl. They both had to be twelve or younger, the boy pulling his sister a little closer protectively. Whether from her or from Dracula, she wasn’t sure. “I was wondering if you two would be out here,” she greeted as she set her bag down. “My friend and I brought some food to share.”

She carefully dug around to find two rather containers and held them out carefully. “He cooked too much for us. So you two should enjoy these plenty,” she said gently when they didn’t speak, continuing as if they were having a conversation. “He’s a far better cook than I,” she added in a stage whisper which earned her a giggle from the girl. And a quiet snort from behind her. Not that he would know. How could he cook so well when she’d never seen him eat?

There was only a murmur of thanks before the two tore into the first container, looking intent on devouring the whole thing without much thought. Not that she could blame them.

“Careful. If you eat too quickly, you’ll make yourself sick and that will be a waste,” Vlad warned quietly from behind her, causing them to jump slightly. Their heads snapped up in surprise, meeting his gaze before they gave a careful nod each.

“Yes, sir,” the boy murmured quietly, making a point to be a bit more careful about his next few bites. “Thank you.”

Lisa hadn’t even thought of that, surprised but glad he did. She got to her feet, gathering her bag up carefully. “Good. You’d end up with an emptier belly than you started with,” she added. “You two be safe, alright?”

She waited until she was sure they were going to listen to Vlad’s instructions before letting them carry on, not wanting to scare or upset them by pressing too hard. It was bad enough they were out here on their own at such a young age. “That was kind of you, to make sure they don’t get sick,” she commented quietly.

Vlad shrugged awkwardly next to her. “It would ruin the purpose of giving them something if they ended up regurgitating it later,” he said. “Besides, I doubt they would know better. They are only children.” Like it was the most obvious thing in the world that he would help children.

Lisa only smiled softly and continued with their errand. “If you say so,” she murmured. Still, it was sweet.

The rest of it passed mostly without event, though they still got the sign of the cross at the sight of Vlad sometimes. He would grimace or complain when they disappeared, uncomfortable. But overall, it went well, she hoped. She hoped he was able to see people weren’t so bad, just a little superstitious still.

When they finally went to leave, night had well and truly fallen, leaving them walk back with only some moon light. “Thank you for coming with me,” she said, hands stuffing into her pockets to keep them warm against the slightly chilly night air. “It was good to get out for a bit.”

“I would not have let you go on your own when you would return so late,” he answered with an awkward shrug. At least he knew the hours they were keeping were a bit odd.

She waved a hand at him though. “I made it to your castle without problems. I could easily make it to the village and back,” she reminded with a grin. She just would have kept her knife in her hand rather than at her hip. It did feel better to have him next to her though, knowing people were less likely to bother her.

Vlad just snorted quietly again. “That is not a reason to let you go on your own if I am available. Especially since we will make it back before sunrise,” he said shortly.
Lisa raised an eyebrow in amusement as she folded the bag she had been carrying to tuck under her arm. “I don’t see why your sleep schedule is so strict. Not that even I would want to be out all night,” she said, unsure where the rise and going to bed with the moon came from.

Why was he so stringent about it? Like it was a law he would not break.

“The sun has disagreed with me for many years,” he explained, a bit cryptically in her opinion. “It would not do me well to be caught outside in. Thus, I prefer the night and do not stay up with the sun.”

She shook her head slightly. “If you say so,” she murmured, seeing the sea of bodies ahead in the distance. Her next goal was going to be convincing him to take these down. Hopefully, that would be easier since he didn’t have to go into the village for that. “We will certainly make it back before sunrise, at least. So you won’t have any disagreements today. Even the villagers weren’t so bad.”

She could practically hear him roll his eyes at her. “Ah yes, the sign of the cross being made is such a pleasant way to spend my evening,” he retorted.

“Only because you are all getting used to each other. You’ll see, next time will be better,” Lisa promised, hoping that she was right. Some things took time, like introducing him back into society. And introducing society back to him.

“Next time?” he asked in shock, lips forming a thin line after that.

But he didn’t protest much more as they made it back to the castle, taking the bag from her to put them away. “Thanks again for coming with me,” she said when he seemed to relax a little. “Told you I’d start to teach you something too.”

Notes:

I probably could have split this chapter up into two, but I like it better as one. Hope you enjoyed! Let me know what you think, your comments give me life!

Chapter 5: Day 58

Summary:

Vlad is a what?!

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The first time Lisa saw Vlad completely without his cloak, the two of them had formed a true routine. They had been standing in his lab, leaning over their work as he explained how different medicines should be stored and why they actually worked, planning on showing her how to apply some of them and how to set more extensive injuries. It had been a few weeks now and she was actually learning the hands-on skills. Most of it was simply maintaining the equipment, but there was also plants and the process of creating. They were starting to move into applying!

He must have taken it off when she was leaned over the book they were using, which made sense. They couldn’t risk anything catching fire or dragging in their ingredients. It was why she always wore her hair tightly back when he was teaching her, not wanting to drag it in something unpleasant or have it get in her face.
But when she turned to glance at him as he continued explaining, she could see some of the scars from where his sleeves had started to ride. She blinked in surprise, reaching out to carefully push the sleeves up to get a better look, worried.

His hands jerked back in surprise, hissing softly as he quickly tugged it back down to his wrists, revealing his rather pointy teeth for a moment. Like a cornered animal. Like her touch had shocked him, maybe even hurt him. Almost like when she had tried to see if he had a fever after she had gotten here. “Is it not rude to touch someone like that without permission?” he snapped sharply, stepping away from her and their work.

“I barely touched you,” she retorted, though she raised her hands as she stepped away. “They just looked extensive. It’s not bad to make sure you’re alright!”
Pointedly tugging his sleeves down again, he pressed his lips together. “They’re far too old for you to do anything about. From battles well before you were born,” he snapped.

She blinked in surprise, glancing at him and then his arms again before letting out a breath. Battles that left scars after so many years must have been horrendous. What little she had seen appeared dark, likely from deep and extensive wounds. “Fine. But you need to get over the fact that I am going to worry when I see things like that,” she said shortly, folding her arms across her chest. “And I’m going to have to see your scars if you’re going to show me how to be putting different things on wounds. I can’t just practice on-“

“You’ll practice on what I let you practice on,” he snapped back in annoyance, pulling himself to full height pointedly. Holding his physical height over her. “You are not the one that gets to decide how that happens. Understand?”

“No, I don’t think I do. I have to practice if I want to be a good doctor! And you said you would help me do that,” she huffed, stepping towards him. Until they were nearly touching. She was not going to be intimidated. Enough men had tried that, but she was still standing in this castle. She was going to learn. “Maybe you should recognize the fact that I am going to ask questions, about you and about the lessons. Or check to see if you’re alright. But you are my friend as much as you are my teacher!”

Vlad froze as she practically yelled at him, meeting her gaze coldly for a minute as he seemed to gather himself up. “You do not dictate our relationship. Teacher, friend. Prey,” he hissed, teeth flashing. Fangs “I do. And you would do well not to press that. Because you are here out of what little kindness I still hold.”

Prey.

 

Fear curled inside her like it had that first day she’d stepped inside those large doors.

Lisa met his gaze defiantly. “Prey? I’m prey now?” she said even as he heard pounded in her chest. She knew if she pushed, he might snap at some point. Here he was. Snapping. “Understand me, Vlad Dracula Tepes. I am no one’s prey. Be he man or beast. When you can find your manners, we can resume this lesson.”

She turned away, heading for the door. Despite the fact that her instincts said she was turning her back on dangers that could tear her apart. Instincts she didn’t understand. Vlad had never hurt her. She stalked back towards the doors to head for her room, refusing to be beholden to something she didn’t understand, even her own instincts.

She would not be controlled by any man.

She almost made it to the stairs when he appeared in front of her. Stepping back in surprise, she glared up. “You don’t scare me,” she hissed.

“And yet I can hear your heart pounding, Lisa of Lupu. Tell me, did you come here just to make fun of me then? If you were going to be so insistent on finding everything out?” Vlad asked softly as he stepped towards her, leaning over her. “Share with the world the story of the monster that lives in this castle? That was foolish enough to share his knowledge with some girl that showed up on his doorstep?”

Her eyes widened slightly. He could hear her heart? She took another step back, shoving at his chest. “I came here to learn. And I thought I was making a friend,” she retorted, insulted. “You are no monster. But you are a fool. When you’re ready to act like an adult, we can talk again.”

He didn’t follow her this time, though he could feel her watching her as she made it up the other side of the stairs, stalking off to her room with her head held high. Her door slammed behind her when she finally made it back. If he could hear her heart, she wanted to make sure he heard that.

Lisa collapsed into a chair by the fire, head falling back tiredly as she watched the low flames tiredly, mind racing. He had been truly trying to scare her there at the end, and it felt like she had been chased despite her being fairly certain he would never hurt her.

Prey?

How could he hear her heart?

She had properly seen his fangs this time. They were truly fangs…

He slept all day…

She sat there for a long time like that, only eventually getting up to stoke the flames, trying to run through just what she knew about him. He’d been involved in conquests, he apparently had enough scarring the he hid behind his clothes, obviously not wanting her to know.

She didn’t sleep that night, not that that was as uncommon as it used to be with her schedule adjusting to his. Instead, she wrote it out, taking notes and trying to work out what was going on. Besides some apparent emotional constipation on his part. Truly, the fact that he thought she was up here just for gossip!

She huffed softly, heading for the library even though she was starting to drag as the sun rose. She needed answers. Which was how she found herself in the library under a section labelled vampire, much to her chagrin. Such things were usually beyond her, but she couldn’t come up with a logical explanation if everything were to add up.

And these books…

They were like the medical ones he had let her borrow. Full of details and explanations. Things she had never seen before in myths, presented so confidently that she couldn’t be sure what to believe. Her heart pounded even now, staring down at the description that seemed to match Vlad so well.

Could he really be a vampire?

That… That was impossible. Right?

But these books contained the details of how they worked. How they survived on blood. Which would be the right color for his wine, now that she thought about it. Her heart stuttered for a moment as she stared down at a diagram of fangs. She’d always thought this was old wives tales. Stories to make the children behave. Ridiculous things for those in her village to explain things they didn’t yet understand.

But.

She forced herself to put all but the last book away, pulling it against her as she headed back towards her room tiredly. She needed time to think. Time to figure out if she was going to have the gall to ask her host if he was actually a vampire.

Lisa finally curled up in her bed, the book next to her head as she forced herself to breathe. It was a long while before she drifted off, despite her exhaustion, thoughts of vampires and actually plausible explanations dancing in her head.

Notes:

I'm working on the next chapter, but this was the last one I had pre-written. So I'm not sure when that will be up as I've started work

Chapter 6: Day 62

Summary:

An unexpected guest makes an appearance.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Several days past before she got the courage to talk to him again. Well, before he came to find her.

In that time, she still found fresh meals downstairs. He didn’t join her though, leaving her to her own devices for a while. She occasionally saw him in passing, and he seemed to let out a bit of a sigh of relief each time. Like he thought she would leave.

Thankfully, it gave her time to process everything until Dracula finally paused behind his chair in the kitchen while she was eating one night. “We should talk,” he said quietly, resting his hands on the back of his own chair across from her. “About the other day.”

And if her heart picked up it’s pace in her chest, she couldn’t really be blamed for it. Though it was likely not for the reasons he thought it did. “I hope you plan on starting with an apology,” she shot back, raising an eyebrow at him despite herself before taking another bite. Even if she was a vampire, she knew how to be more logical than this. He’d never harmed her… He’d never even tried to do more than scare her.

If she was going to pride herself on being rational, she needed to get control of this.

Still, the retorted seemed to make him pause before he let out a sigh. “I planned on including an apology as well as an explanation of sorts,” he answered simply, frowning. Like he hadn’t done such a thing in a long time.

He might not have. He waited though to make sure she was listening. When she nodded, he seemed to steel himself before continuing. “I am not… used to people trying to get into my life. Or press about different aspects of it,” he began, hands tightening on the back of the chair. “I have told you I rarely have visitors, and none in many years that have stayed as long as yourself. So people concerning themselves over anything about me is rather. Suspicious, I suppose. Especially when it surrounds my scars.”

Lisa frowned, carefully setting down her fork before meeting his gaze. “You need to get used to having a friend again, if that’s the case,” she explained. She wasn’t going to apologize for caring.

“Right,” he murmured, looking over her shoulder as he seemed to steady himself again. “Thus, I apologize for my outburst. That was. Not deserved.” His words became a bit clipped towards the end, as if he was unsure how to explain it.

But she could take an apology, even if he wasn’t sure how to give it.

She took a breath and then nodded. “No, it certainly wasn’t deserved. You called me prey,” she reminded, which he at least had the decency to look awkward for saying. Good. “But if you’re sorry, why don’t you join me?” Not that she should be inviting the owner of the castle to dine with her, but she wasn’t sure he would otherwise. And she had her own questions. Questions that it might be better if he was seated for, given their nature. “I wanted to ask you something about all of that, actually.”

He froze before carefully pulling out the seat. “If it means you shall accept the apology, I’ll be happy to answer,” he finally offered, albeit a bit uncomfortably, sitting down across from her. It was odd when he was without his usual glass of wine. Or whatever he drank.

Was she really going to risk making an absolute fool of herself over a handful of books that discussed vampires and the fact that he had somewhat pointy teeth? And odd sleeping habits? With apparently excellent hearing.

She took another bite of her dinner as she tried to pull herself together. “This will likely sound a bit ridiculous, but you are the one that has books full of information on the matter,” she warned after she finished chewing. She could do this. And she had to hope he wouldn’t get angry. Taking a steadying breath, she forced herself to continue. “Are you a vampire?”

It felt worse to say it out loud. Insane, even.

The words hung in the air, her waiting for some form of response. Her fingers crossed that it would be nothing worse than laughter.

His eyes widened as he looked at her, seemed to take not only the question but her as a whole. Like he was seeing into her very essence as he turned the question over. “I had thought you were somewhat aware,” he finally said, frowning. “I have never made a secret that I am not human. But yes, I am a vampire.”

She froze in the process of going to take another bite as she had been trying to ignore the awkward silence, eyes wide as she stared at him. Vampires were supposed to be a myth.
But she could see it now, if that was the case. The way he moved incredibly quickly. Talking about taking a drink from her when he’d arrived. Mentioning how things had happened years and years ago, before she was born sometimes.

The things she had just brushed off as oddities of his character rather than putting together that he was actually supernatural.

“I suppose I apologize for the shock as well. I had truly assumed you knew,” Vlad finally murmured as he pushed back his chair to get up. As if he felt unwelcome in his own home.
She finally managed to shake herself from her shock a bit, finding herself reaching for his arm before he could manage to leave and run off to his own rooms. Or wherever he went when they weren’t around each other.

She more than expected him to try to shake her off when she grabbed him, but instead, he seemed to be staring at her with wide eyes. Shock? Wonder? “No. No, it is alright,” she said quickly, looking up at him. Reminding herself that this was the same person that had invited her in and even begun to teach her.

She carefully let go of his arm, remembering how he had jerked back just a day before, not moving from her spot in front of him as she took a breath. “I just… never realized it was possible. I assumed vampires were stories parents used to scare their children into bed,” she explained with an awkward laugh. Too rational for her own good, this time. Never having heard a credible story, she had discounted it all. “I had chalked much of it up to you just being odd and lonely. Maybe you should be a bit clearer in the future...”

“I thought I had been abundantly clear upon your arrival,” he retorted, shaking his head. Which, maybe he had. Maybe she had been a bit too dense to see it. A bit too closed minded. Not that that could often be said of her. “I was actively trying to scare you off.”

Lisa just rolled her eyes at that, feeling her heart finally settle back into its normal rhythm. This was more familiar. More at home than the rest of their conversation. “I remember,” she agreed. “But I don’t- didn’t believe in vampires. Or anything of the sort. So perhaps you’ll explain them to me? Though your books were rather detailed.”

That seemed to get a small smile out of him, whether because he could actually hear her heart or because she had bothered to do the research when she couldn’t explain what she had seen in front of her. She wasn’t sure. “I suppose I may answer a few of your questions,” he said, motioning for her to take a seat again. “But we will also need to lay some rules about how you will learn with me tonight. I do not think that was the most. Productive use of our time the other day.”

He put it lightly, in her opinion. “We can start with the fact that I’m going to need actual practice outside of just poking at inanimate objects. And if you’re supposedly a vampire, it shouldn’t harm you much if I practice on you,” she said as she carefully sat back at the table.

He moved away to pour a glass of- likely blood. Where did he even get it? The books said vampires survived on blood. “Something will have to be worked out. But I do not like people aggravating my scars,” he said bluntly, standing at the counter to take a sip before turning back to her. Even if she wasn’t sure how she felt about what he was drinking, it was at least a familiar sight.

“Now, what other questions do you have? I’m sure you’re full of them,” he continued, sitting down across from her again.

She smiled, feeling like they were back in the classroom. “Plenty,” she promised. She always had questions. These just felt more personal. “To start with-“

Their conversation was interrupted by a banging at the door.

Had her own knock sounded like that, reverberating through the castle? She was shocked they could hear it so well. That must be one of his many designs that she had yet to fully understand.

The door creaked much like it had her first time entering as Vlad quickly moved towards the doorway.

“My lord,” a female voice called. “It is so rare I make it to this part of the world. I had thought it best I say hello.”

Vlad immediately pulled himself upright at the words, lips forming a thin line. “You stay in here,” he said shortly to her, meeting her gaze until she finally nodded before he seemed to disappear before her eyes, likely in the main hall.

She moved to the doorway, peaking around the corner curiously to see a tall, long haired woman.

“Carmilla. I had not expected to see you.”

Notes:

I hope you enjoyed! I finally added the slow burn tag because ten thousand words in, this probably counts.

Chapter 7: Day 62

Summary:

An unexpected visitor attempts to ruin their whole night.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lisa peaked carefully around the corner, only just enough to try to get a view of them.

The last thing she had expected was to have a guest. After being here for weeks, no one had approached the castle besides her. Certainly no one had knocked on the door or called out a greeting like they knew him…

Yet, there stood a tall, white haired woman. Incredibly pale and beautiful. Almost dangerous looking, though she couldn’t quite pinpoint why.

“Of course I had to stop by,” the woman -Carmilla- said, bowing slightly with a hand over her heart. Did she owe him some sort of fealty? She hadn’t done that when she entered. “It would be rude to be in the area and not say hello, after all.”

Vlad paused a few feet away from her, his posture stiff as he met her gaze. And didn’t return the bow, Lisa noted. “Then consider your duty finished. I hope you haven’t been causing problems here,” he said simply, much colder than she had heard from him since she had arrived. Like this woman was a reason to put on some level of a show, though he wasn’t quite trying to scare her. Maybe intimidate her?

Carmilla let out a quite laugh that managed to sound harsh despite itself. Like it was dipped in glass. “No trouble within Wallachia. I leave that to you,” she answered, stepping closer to him.

Lisa’s hand slipped from where she was holding herself up, cursing softly as she stumbled before jerking back. She hadn’t meant to do that. Vlad would definitely hear her. He told her to stay back-

She gasped as she found herself stumbling backwards a moment later, not understanding as she regained her footing, finding herself looking at Vlad’s shoulders. White hair was visible on the other side of him, both of them moving so quickly she hadn’t even seen it until she was nearly on her ass on the floor. “That was uncalled for,” she muttered quietly as she tried to brush herself off even as her heart pounded.

“I didn’t know you had a snack over,” Carmilla commented on the other wise, looking over his shoulder at Lisa. Her eyes were ice blue… No soul. It was chilling to meet her gaze. Like she was being looked at like food. A meal.

It sent a shiver down Lisa’s spine as she stared back, unsure what else to do. She hadn’t backed down to Vlad, and she refused to back down to some stranger that was calling her a /snack/. Another vampire.

Was that how they all thought of humans?

He stayed pointedly in between them, not turning around to look at her. “She is a guest and my student. She is quite definitely not a snack, Carmilla,” he said coldly.

Carmilla raised an eyebrow in return, her gaze drawing away from Lisa and allowing her to relax slightly. “Humans don’t keep well, my lord. You should be careful not to get too attached to any of them,” she commented. Like humans were just pets. Things for their amusement. “And they tend to… shatter when you try anything fun. There’s no use in them besides dinner.”

That earned a snarl of annoyance as he stepped closer to Carmilla. He didn’t quite tower over her like he did Lisa, but Lisa had to think that it couldn’t be comfortable. “How or who I spend my time with is none of your concern,” he snapped.

Lisa could hear her own heartbeat as she stared at them, trying to find her voice again. So now she was dealing not only with the fact that Vlad was a vampire, but apparently a decently respected one. Considering she didn’t think that Carmilla looked like a woman to back down from what she wanted if she thought she could take it…

“I think it would be best you leave,” she finally said quietly, raising her chin as she searched for whatever fearlessness she had managed to find that first day. When she had walked through a field of bodies because she wanted to be a doctor. “Since you obviously do not respect how he runs his home.”

Carmilla stepped forward threateningly to go around Vlad when she spoke up, hissing softly. Flashing fangs at her. Just like his.

His arm was in her way though, holding her back, earning a look of shock. That she quickly tried to mask with some form of innocence. “You cannot be serious, my lord. A human can’t be in charge of your home,” she said quickly, her eyes wide as she met his gaze.

“She doesn’t, I do. I just happen to know when I hear an excellent idea,” Vlad said shortly. It was almost scarier than when he had threatened her the other day. “You should leave before you get on my nerves, Carmilla. You wouldn’t want that.”

Carmilla pressed her lips together in a thin line as she pulled herself to full height, glaring over Vlad’s shoulder at Lisa for a moment before bowing her head slightly to Vlad again. “Of course, my lord,” she said sharply, eyes raised to meet his the whole time despite the posture of submission. “That is the last thing I would want to do.”

The words contained no warmth as she pulled herself to full height again, head held high. She met Lisa’s gaze one last time, fury barely hidden before she turned away and stalked out. The door fell shut moments later with a thud behind her.

Lisa finally let out a shaky breath, reaching for the table to steady herself. “I thought you said you didn’t have visitors often,” she muttered, feeling like she had just run a mile despite the fact that she had barely moved. That woman had looked at her like she would have happily slaughtered her right there.

He was at her side a moment later, seeming to pause as he reached out to try to help steady her. “I don’t. There are some that happen to stop when they are in the area out of respect,” he explained as his hand dropped back to his side, unsure of how to help her.

“Respect?” she asked, raising her head to glance at him even as she leaned against the table, eyebrows knitting together. “From other- vampires? Why?”

That seemed to pull him up a bit short. “I-“ he trailed off, glancing away for a moment. “I have a reputation from my past actions. Those actions, during my life and after, gained me a great deal of respect. Like the bodies outside. I have more control and fealty from many vampires than others could imagine.”

It was honest, even if such a thing struck deep at the sort of fear Carmilla had poked at with her gaze. Lisa looked down at the table for a long moment, taking several deep breaths.

She knew he wouldn’t hurt her.

He had had plenty of opportunity to do so if that was what he wanted.

“I should leave you to consider all-“

She quickly shook her head. “No. No, I would rather you didn’t,” she interrupted, standing carefully now that she was sure she could hold herself up. “I’d prefer to know these things rather than be shocked when someone shows up here threatening to eat me. And it’s better to get it all out of the way at once.” So that she would know. So that she could prepare herself and… maybe do research. Get a better understanding of vampires. Know how to deal with them and what to expect.

He had started to turn away, frozen in place for a moment as he stared back at her, half turned towards the door. “Truly?” he asked quietly, uncertain. As if he couldn’t believe it. When she nodded, he seemed to deflate a bit. Relieved. “I had thought you would leave.”

She managed an awkward smile as she stepped closer. “You’ve already proven you won’t hurt me. And that you will tell me the truth,” she promised. “So I trust you not to harm me. Not intentionally, anyways. You just have to help me adjust.” She was a bit worried about the way Carmilla had suggested it was so easy for them to ‘break’ humans.

“Right,” Vlad murmured, nodding as he looked down at her. A completely different man from the one that had confronted a vampire not minutes ago. A softer man. “I suppose I can do that. Answer any questions you may have…”

“That’s all I have ever asked,” she tried to tease. The tone fell a bit flat, but she could still see his lips twitch in amusement at her.

“Let’s clean up in here before you get going,” he said, reaching for her plate from dinner now that her appetite was certainly filled. Or gone. He headed for the sink, picking up his glass as well which he finished off before making it to the sink.

Maybe he had once been a cruel man, but she couldn’t see that that was the case anymore. Not when he could act so simply… domestic sometimes. So relieved that she still wanted to be here.

She joined him at the sink to dry the dishes, letting them work in silence for now. It felt idyllic almost despite the sudden threats and interruption. Like they could find a happy normalcy this way if she actually knew what was going on.

It wasn’t long before he was walking with her quietly through the castle until they settled down in the study where he motioned for her to go ahead and ask any questions she had about him. His life. Vampires. Anything that she wanted to know that he might be able to answer, truly.

Which was how she found herself curled up in a big arm chair by the fire -not in her room, scared and shocked as she read books about creatures she thought didn’t exist- but asking about a long life and how he had come to be here. How someone could live so long. How he had managed to keep himself entertaining. How he had gained fealty of vampires apparently around the world.

She wouldn’t lie and say it was all pleasant, but it gave her a truer understanding.

A man who had gone to war to protect his first family. His home. His people. Himself.

A creature that had used his strength in revenge on those that had harmed those he cared about after they were gone. Taken revenge where he could and leaving a message on his front lawn for all to see what happened when they crossed.

A new being that survived on blood and may have shed more blood than necessary in his own pain and will to protect. That had gained the respect of similar beings around the world in the process as they heard of his feats, even if that hadn’t been his original intention. Which had left him in relative peace, if isolation. Living in the castle from his life before. Collecting knowledge and advancing technology.

A man she now sat in front of, not always happy or even unafraid as she listened, but still listening. Trying to understand a bit more than she had.

The conversation eventually drifted to more mundane things. His day to day life, her own life. Why she wanted to be a doctor. Superficial things that weren’t any less important.
As sunrise neared hours later, he finally rose from his own chair.

“You should get some rest, Lisa. Tomorrow, I suppose we will have to continue your lessons,” he said with a small smile, offering her a hand up.

She carefully took it, letting herself be pulled to her feet. She leaning up to kiss his cheek quickly without thinking, quickly turning away as her face heated up, and heading for her room. “Rest well, Vlad,” she said over her shoulder.

Notes:

Carmilla is so much fun! I really enjoyed this chapter to write. Let me know what you think!

Chapter 8: Day 104

Summary:

A picnic in the moonlight... And perhaps a bit more?

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They didn’t talk about her kissing him on the cheek, though Vlad was a bit awkward about it for the next several days. He would almost… flush sometimes when she got close to him. Or at least get far less pale than he normally was, which Lisa took to be a blush of sorts. Which left her unsure of where they stood, but at least he wasn’t upset. She’d been worried she had overstepped some boundary between them. But time continued to go by and they fell back into a normal routine.

Still, they went back to her learning, and it wasn’t long before she was mixing the more basic medicines and more than capable of cleanly doing stitches. Diagnosing past a common cold even if she couldn’t always treat it. Leaps and bounds ahead of where she had started, grinning at the man brightly whenever she succeeded. And she was far more comfortable now that she actually understood his odd behavior.

More and more often, she pulled a smile out of him for her hard work too.

Then she found him awake one early morning/late one night, packing a small basket of food, leaving her standing in the doorway in confusion as she watched. “What are you doing?”

Vlad glanced up in surprise before glancing back at the basket. “I believe it’s called a picnic. The weather is nice, and we are already done for the night. I thought it would be a good way to spend dinner,” he offered, shifting his weight slightly. Like he was worried she would deny the idea completely.

“A picnic? I never would have thought you’d enjoy that,” she said with a grin as it registered. When she had arrived here, she never would have thought he even knew what a picnic was. Maybe he had come far, even if he still didn’t like going down to town. It was a much more human gesture than she had ever expected to see out of him after his first greeting had been so threatening… So off putting.

She moved to his side to help him pack of the back, unable to help the smile that stayed on her face before glancing at it curiously. There was food and wine, of course, but- “What about for you?”

It was only wine, as far as she could tell.

He blinked at her for a moment and then shrugged. “I don’t eat with you most nights anyways,” he commented, head tilting a bit to the side. His hands paused over the basket, glancing at her closely. “Besides, I would hate for it to spill. You certainly can’t have blood on your food.”

“That doesn’t mean you should go without eating,” she said, folding her arms across her chest as she considered it. He did need to eat, and she wasn’t sure how he deal with being hungry. It was obvious that he followed most of his whims for the best… however many years. She still had a hard time placing just how old he was. But maybe. Maybe there was a solution. “It’s- it’s human blood, right? That’s what you normally have?”

The fangs had always been obvious, though she had ignored them well at first. Just assumed they were an oddity.

“Yes,” he answered carefully, frowning. “Why?”

“Well, how do you take it normally from people? There must be a way if you have all those bottles floating around,” she said quickly before she could lose her nerve. This was easier. After all, she’d never seen him actually bite someone. Probably because it could be messy? “Bring whatever that is with us. You can take enough from me for a glass or two. That won’t do much since I’ll have something to eat.”

The look he gave her. It was somewhere between horrified and amazed. “You? I don’t really think that is a good idea, Lisa,” he said, folding his arms across his chest back at her. Though his fingers picked lightly at his cloak on the edge rather than standing firm.

That earned him a snort. “I am more than capable of having my blood drawn, thank you very much if you have the capabilities to safely do such a thing. Which you obviously do,” she retorted, sounding steadier than she felt. She had long since accepted that she trusted a vampire with her life after continuing to work beside him. “Pack that up and a glass, and we’ll bring it with us.”

He gaped at her for a moment, looking properly shocked before letting out a breath. “Are you sure? That’s a big- offer. On your part,” he said quietly, eyes wide as he looked down at her.

Lisa gave him a small smile in return for his concern. That was sweet. He truly was such an amazing person now that he had started to settle a bit. To figure out what it meant to be a man again. “I’ve told you. I trust you. So yes, I am sure,” she promised. She wouldn’t have offered otherwise.

Vlad let out a breath, taking her in for a moment longer. As if making sure she understood what she was offering, though she didn’t quite. But he seemed to accepted her words as he turned away after a moment. “If you wish to back out at any point, I will not hold it against you,” he promised quietly, back turned. Giving her a way out yet again. Ready to be denied just as he had been when she had met Carmilla.

Even though she didn’t plan on denying him, then or now.

She helped him finish packing the basket instead, making sure his ‘wine’ glass was well wrapped and off to the side so that it wouldn’t shatter. He liked to act like he could replace everything, but he deserved the care she took with it.

A bit over half an hour later, she was watching Vlad Tepes throw a blanket out that she strongly suspected was an old cloak. Under a nice tree on the edge of the courtyard with a clear beam of moonlight for them. Truly sweet as he set out a plate for her, bowing slightly with a smile to let her set first.

Lisa smiled, going to sit down on it and patted the blanket next to her. “Come along then. Enjoy the moonlight with me,” she said quietly, looking up at him.

He paused before throwing his cape back behind him as he sat down. She had to think that it was a practiced motion with the way he did it. A flair for the dramatic. “I did tell you it is a nice night,” he commented, helping her unpack the food, pausing when their hands brushed.

She only paused slightly though when they touched hands, instead continuing setting up and pulling his glass and the contraption he had made to draw blood. “And now all you need to do is get your own glass and we are set for a beautiful picnic,” she said, rolling up her sleeve calmly. Now that he had made the choice, it was easier to prepare herself. She held out the bag and tubing that was connected to a thin but sharp needle she suspected was hollow inside. That was the only way it made sense. “You wouldn’t make a lady stick herself, would you?”

That seemed to finally shake him from staring at her in what had to be awe again, carefully taking it from her. “Right. Of course,” Vlad murmured, stretching it out carefully to check for any kinks before glancing at her.

Lisa finished rolling up her sleeve and held out her arm. “I’m not changing my mind, in case that’s what you were worried about,” she teased lightly.

“I still stand by the fact that it is a big offer,” he muttered, shaking his head. But he cleaned off her arm carefully and made sure she was comfortable before steadying her. She felt the prick of the needle and then watched the bag partially fill before he cut it off. A small bandage at the crook of her elbow and she was watching curiously as he filled his own glass. “This was very kind of you.”

If asked, Lisa would be happy to admit that staring at a glass of her own blood was incredibly odd. Something she had never considered, certainly. “I can’t have you going hungry just because you’re too much of a gentleman to say otherwise,” she said with a shrug as she rolled her sleeve back down. “Besides, I have a feeling those fangs make quite the mess if you actually bite someone. I really don’t need my evening meal interrupted with blood on my clothes unless someone is actually hurt or dying.”

It was remarkable how much blood could look like wine.

The look of absolute awe was back as he folded up the bag and packed it away again. “You certainly are a quite fascinating human,” he finally murmured, shaking his head.

She smiled slightly and raised her glass towards his to toast. “And you are an interesting man,” she agreed as he lightly touched his glass with hers before they both took a sip, enjoying the moonlight and silence for a moment. “I would let you bite me if you needed to. Just for future reference.”

“I would never ask that of you!” he retorted quickly only to earn a wave of the hand from her. But he persisted. “No, truly. I would not ask that of you. You are not here to give me blood or take care of me.”

Letting out a breath, she set her glass down to look at him. “I am quite serious. If you needed to, I would let you. I would not let you go hungry or suffer when I could easily help you,” she said, turning to look at him. “Please do not mistake it as something that I would offer lightly. I have told you before, I trust you, Vlad. And I have come to care about you. So please do not insult me by denying that.”

Vlad froze, staring at her for a long moment as he seemed to soak in all of that. Try to formulate a response. Something. Slowly, he came back to himself, and leaned in. Giving her the chance to pull back. Until their lips met lightly.

Tentatively.

She had to admit she was shocked, but Lisa wasn’t going to let it pass her by, leaning up to wrap her arms around his neck. Pulling him closer. So that he wouldn’t run when he realized what he had done, though she was fairly certain he was much stronger than her. But right now, he was gently and only slightly cool against. Comfortably so in the warm night air.

He pulled away first, face as flushed as it could get. “I… could not have hoped to be so well received,” he murmured, face inches from hers, foreheads touching.
Which drew a quiet laugh from her. “You could do a lot more and still be well received,” she promised gently. “But we might want to eat before we try much more.” To which he only seemed to flush more, leaning in for another light kiss.

Because though she may be good at having manners, Lisa of Lupu was not a lady. She certainly didn’t hold much stock in god or the traditions that seemed to come with believing in such a being. And she was here, with a vampire, enjoying a meal. She could tell tradition to be damned when she was certain she was more than past falling for Vlad. Following for a man that had not truly been a man for centuries.

But still, they settled down to eat before they went any further. Her needing to replenish what energy she had lost from giving her blood and him needing to pull himself together.

Within the hour, she was pulling him inside by the hand, grinning as he let himself be lead to her bedroom. He still seemed shocked, moving slowly as if in a dream, but a very good dream. One where a wish had come true.

He didn’t seem to freeze up until she was helping him out of his cloak and then his shirt, pausing as she finally witnessed the scars that traced up his arms and torso. Like he was brought down to the present by the reminders of his past. “Oh,” she breathed, carefully catching his wrist before he could withdraw, fingers tracing lightly over them. She had known – or at least suspected - they existed underneath all those layers of clothing. But she had never seen them.

“Tell me about them?” she requested softly, glancing up to meet his gaze.

Vlad paused in surprise before carefully drawing her over to the bed with him. “I’ll tell you about the ones I can remember,” he offered quietly. Which didn’t surprise her but broke her heart all the same. He had far too many scars and hid lived too long a life on his own. When she nodded, he gave a soft sigh as her fingers traced lightly over those on his arms. “They are not pretty stories.”

She shrugged. “I have never asked for pretty stories from you. Only the truth,” she reassured, settling slightly against him. And even now, his skin was cool as she rested her head on his shoulder, almost able to feel the way he stared at the top of her head as her fingers continued to find new scars.

He stayed silent for a long time, though he never pulled away. Thinking on where to start, perhaps. “I no longer have scars from before I was turned into a vampire… From when I was human. They disappeared with the change. It heals us to go through such a process and gain immortality,” he began softly. “But this one is the oldest. From when I was bitten and changed.” He drew her hand towards the spot on his left wrist, drawing her gaze as she felt the slight ridges of teeth marks from long ago. “I think he wanted to watch the world burn by biting someone of my ranking. And I suppose I gave him that in some ways. My rage knew no bounds back then… And neither did my mind.”

She let out a soft breath, fingers tracing over the circular mark. “I guess some people do mellow with age, though a century is a bit much,” she teased, unsure how to take the rest of it in. She could understand being angry, but that level of anger… And in such a brilliant man. He could have destroyed so many with such ease. He likely did.

He chuckled quietly. “Yes, I know. But I was young then, and full of more anger than any one person should be,” he murmured.

But he didn’t stop except to occasionally gauge her reaction as he continued to speak. He spoke of battles and death, taking life like he was a child with a toy or candy. A true menace on the world, and so different from the man she knew today. It explained the bodies that she had come upon the day she banged the pommel of her knife on the door. He’d wanted to be left alone, but not after showing everyone that he would protect his home and himself.

Her fingers traced each scar as he spoke, though there was many he did not remember and some he could only guess at. They eventually curled up against the pillows at the top of the bed, settled down comfortably at what had turned into hours.

She leaned in, kissing him lightly as he finally paused before curling up next to him tiredly. “That’s enough for tonight,” she murmured quietly. “The sun will be up soon, and you will have to head to bed.”

He paused, wrapping an arm around her. “The curtains keep out any sunlight. I wouldn’t take such a risk. If it is… alright with you. I think I will stay,” he murmured, glancing away.

She hummed softly in response and settled down closer, pulling the blankets up around them. “I would like that.”

Slowly, Lisa drifted off against him, feeling his own breathing even out to almost nothing as the sun rose.

Notes:

Sorry for the delay in chapter, y'all. I've moved and been up to a lot recently, but here's a new chapter! Hope you enjoy, please tell me what you think in the comments <3

Chapter 9: Day 194

Summary:

Not everything can be smooth.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Days continued to pass in such a manner of growing familiarity with occasionally Vlad staying in her bed. She never made it to his room, but there was never a question that he was welcome in hers and that his own study was quickly becoming her favorite place to read. He was quickly becoming her favorite pillow, and he didn’t seem to mind, grumbling aside.

Which was how she found herself reading, legs propped lightly over the arm of the chair as she read, lost in thought late on afternoon as the sun finally set.

Every time she entered his library, she found something new to read. Whether about stars or medicine or inventions. She still hadn’t quite figured out how he lit everything up throughout the castle, but this one was setting broken bones and making sure there was no infection as a person healed. And how to treat any infection when there was no actual laceration. How to stop it early and treat it.

The sun had barely set when she heard a knock on the door downstairs, leaving her frowning in confusion. Few rarely came up here, though they had started going into the village regularly to help treat actual people.

There was only so much she could learn from a book.

And it was doing wonders for Vlad’s social skills, though he was still reluctant most nights. They made it down once a week, which was what made her think that maybe someone had come up here looking for them. She hurried downstairs, not bothering to find shoes or even mark her spot in the book, pulling the door quickly open. “Hello? Are you-“

She froze, eyes going wide as she recognized the female vampire from before. “I believe Vlad has made clear that you are not welcome here,” Lisa said shortly, pressing the door quickly back in even as the woman’s hand shot out to stop her. And there was no force that she was going to convince herself that she could push her out. Still, Lisa didn’t step back as she met her gaze, much like the first time she had stepped inside this castle.

“And yet he’s not here,” Carmilla retorted with a flash of teeth that someone less aware might have mistaken for a smile. “I had expected you to be gone by now. Or dead, perhaps. He isn’t known for his kindness to humans.” ‘Humans’ sounded like a curse in her mouth. A threat.

Lisa’s lips formed  a thin line as she raised her chin slightly to stare back at her. Vlad had to be getting up soon. She just had to hold it together until he heard them. He always seemed to know when something was going on in the castle. “And I had not expected to see you here against. You aren’t going to scare me off with tales of him, thank you very much,” she shot back despite her pounding heart. “Would you like me to go get him for you? Though, I’ll have to ask you to wait outside.”

The hand that suddenly closed around her throat left her gasping loudly for breath despite herself.

She hadn’t even seen the woman move.

Air barely made it into her lungs, not enough to properly choke her even as her feet dangled in the air. “I’ll make myself and him very clear. At most, you are a passing fancy. At worst, he is playing with his food,” Carmilla hissed, a grin curling at her lips, fangs obvious. Eyes a deep red. “You should make your choices very carefully, little human. Your life could be so easily ended.”

Lisa couldn’t help the way her own hands gripped onto Carmilla’s trying to pull herself up for more air. “You sound jealous,” she managed to choke out before the hand tightened around her throat harshly.

And then she was crumbling to the floor in the doorway as Carmilla stepped back, smile quickly disappearing. “Carmilla,” a familiar voice behind Lisa practically growled.

“My lord,” the vampire answered quickly, her hand covering her heart to bow slightly. The pinnacle of respect after just threatening to kill Lisa without a second thought.  Not a thread or hair out of place. “The human was being insolent. I could not allow such a thing to stand when she does not know her place.”

Which only earned her another snarl. “I believe I made it clear that she is my guest and my student. And that you would do well to not get on my nerves,” Vlad growled softly. “Leave. You are not welcome here while Lisa is here.” It was like being trapped between two wild cats.

Carmilla’s mouth opened as if to argue or gasp, quickly closing for a moment as she pulled herself to full height. “My lord,” she began carefully. “I was just helping you trai-“

“I said to leave, Carmilla. Now. Before I make you,” he hissed, crouching down to carefully gather Lisa up even though her feeling was returning. The shock was dying down and her neck hurt. The pain was already beginning to throb, leaving her knowing that it would bruise. Likely with fingerprint.

The door was shoved shut before she could respond, Vlad’s frame tense around her.

He didn’t say anything as he turned to head back up the stairs, steps carefully even. “I’m alright. I thought she was just- just someone looking for help,” she managed, voice rough around the words. Being threatened like that wasn’t an everyday experience, certainly not with explicit bodily harm. “Just going to bruise a bit.”

“It shouldn’t have happened at all,” he said shortly. But he still didn’t look down at her, grip tightening a bit on her, almost protective despite the fact that the threat was gone. “You should not have been in such danger at all.”

Lisa took a careful breath, leaning her head against his shoulder carefully. “Yes, well. She should know better. But that does not make this anyone’s fault but hers,” she managed, lowing her voice a bit. Speaking too loudly hurt. Who knew how much force Carmilla had put behind that grip, or how far she would have gone if Vlad hadn’t arrived behind her. Her own heart still pounded in her chest, shaken. “I’ll be alright. Got the best doctor right here.” She patted his chest lightly.

And she was fairly certain it would only be a bad bruise.

Still, he fell silent as he made his way up the rest of the stairs towards her room, setting her carefully into the bed. “I’ll be right back. I need to find a salve,” he said quietly, not quite glancing at her.

He was gone too quickly for her to respond, leaving her to pull the blankets around herself shakily. She’d never been so close to someone trying to kill her as that, and it left her shaken. Even arriving here that first night months ago had not been so scary. Then again, she had never expected to run into someone that would kill her, just a hermit that might happily take to having his life interrupted.

Never expected to see someone threaten another for her.

There was a light knock what must have been moments later before Vlad stepped back inside, black cloak pooling around him. He carefully crouched in front her, frowning deeply. “I need to touch your neck. And you need to tell me if it hurts,” he said quietly as he opened the little bottle that he had brought with him, crouching beside the bed to treat her.

She gave a small nod. “Go ahead,” she murmured quietly when he seemed to be waiting for her permission. She winced at the first touch, surprised but managed to steel herself when he quickly jerked his hand back. They returned lightly a moment later, cool as ever. He still wouldn’t look at her face. “I think it’s just bruised. I’m only sore,” she added before he could start talking again. Not that it looked like he wanted to.

The frown only deepened as he continued his work. “You should leave when this is healed. Somewhere safer,” he finally said quietly.

Not the question of if she wanted to or if she was scared of him. Or those like him. Just that she should. Her gripped tightened in her blankets as she pulled back to sit up. “I most certainly should not. How c-“

“You should,” he interrupted carefully, finally glancing up when she pulled away, meeting her gaze carefully. “Carmilla is not the only like that. Others could kill you. They… have the temper for it. I cannot allow you to be harmed by those of my court. So, you need to leave as I can only protect you so much.”

Lisa’s lips formed a thin line as she stared back at him, going to tip her head before wincing as it pulled at the freshly bruised skin. She hated to think what it looked like. “You, Vlad Tepes, are not the one that gets to decide what I should or should not do. You can only kick me out, but I will not choose to leave of my own free will,” she warned, putting as much strength into her voice as she could. It hurt to raise it slightly, but she needed to make a point. “This is where I belong. Learning, healing, and with a man who accepts those things about me. There is no one that can better protect me from such feats as those like Carmilla, and I am assuming that the rest of your ‘court’ is the same way.”

He pulled in a deep breath as he sat back slightly to look up at her. “I cannot have them harm you. You deserve a life elsewhere,” he murmured, shaking his head. “Away from this world.”

“This world?” she huffed, unable to hold back the wince that that brought from her before shaking her head slowly. That woman had had fingers like steel. She really could have snapped her neck. Her heart stuttered at the thought. “No. This world has allowed me to follow my dreams, and I will not leave it even if I am not truly part of it. I refuse anything else.”

“I- You need to rest, Lisa. We can talk about this when you’ve come to your senses,” Vlad murmured, pushing himself to his feet carefully and setting the salve by her bed. “This will help with the pain. I’ll leave you.”

Lisa froze for a moment before pulling herself out of bed before he could leave. “My senses? I just had someone try to choke me, and you think I’m not sensible enough to tell you what I want out of my life still? No-“ She swayed slightly, reaching out to hold onto the bedframe for a moment-“No. I know exactly what I want. That is to stay here and continue this life. And if that means changes must be made, I insist they be made then. But I will not leave you or this castle.”

Vlad’s hand shot out to steady her, steering her back to sit down for a moment as he let out a breath. “I’ll… Right,” he whispered, seeming to gather his thoughts with wide eyes. “Of course. You know what you want…” He shook his head slightly. “Sleep, Lisa. We’ll- we’ll discuss some arrangement tomorrow evening then.”

He leaned forward and carefully kissed the top of her head before pulling back to step away from the bed. “Rest,” he murmured.

She pressed her lips together, watching him for a moment. But the press his lips was reassuring if nothing else. That he wouldn’t force her to leave. “I’ll hold you to that,” she warned quietly.

That earned her a small smile despite the fact that his eyes lowered again before stepping away. “Until tomorrow, Lisa.” He nodded, finally stepping out of the room.

And if it took a while for her to finally sleep, she couldn’t really be blamed, could she? She’d grown so used to having him here… But she eventually drifted off, curled up in her blankets. Still, she woke up gasping after the sun had finally risen, a note by her bed.

I am working on a project and will be back late tonight. Then we can discuss the new arrangements for your staying here. -V

Notes:

Sorry about the delay, y'all! I've gotten a bunch of dental work/started a new semester of law school. Hope you're doing well and that you enjoy this new chapter! Let me know what you think, and if you're in the US, don't forget to vote.

Chapter 10: Day 195

Summary:

Dealing with the fallout of Carmilla's visit.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

He didn’t appear for several hours, as his note had said. Not until late that night, leaving Lisa to pull herself into an old cloak he had left in her room, wandering through the lab downstairs quietly. He couldn’t just leave here… It was still his home.

But he wasn’t there.

Instead, she leaned over counters in the lab to update the medicines they were working on, happy that she at least understood the basics of stopping coughs and sore throats and different pain relievers to stock up a bit. She wanted to be able to treat people down in the village more regularly, and the simple things tended to be what they needed. Simple medicines and teas and occasionally knowing how to set an injury properly. These were also things she could do when the night before caught up with her. The threats to her life, the bruises around her neck. The sporadic swell of pain when she twisted her head the wrong way.

The work was truly the distraction she needed to stop herself from wondering where Vlad had gone. Sleeping alone and still sore from the day before, she didn’t want to think much about why he had disappeared like this with nothing but a note. It left her looking over her shoulder at every little noise. She’d never stayed in the castle much alone. Vlad had always been there…

The castle felt empty without him. Cold. More unwelcoming than the first day she had walked in those large front doors and he had definitely threatened her.

She finally settled for starting on a late dinner for herself as well as a cup of tea that was trying to grow cold. She needed to eat, and he’d taught her enough to figure out the basics for a good meal. Still, she knew his meals would probably taste better than whatever simple thing she laid out here. The tea sat next to her on the counter as she began to chop vegetables, hearing the door open.

“Vlad?” she called, knife still in hand. After yesterday, she wanted it if it happened to be someone else. Stabbing might not be as effective, but it would work.
“Are you finally home?”

She couldn’t hear anyone, which wasn’t reassuring. She inched closer to the door, knife still in hand as she peaked around the corner, holding her breath. She would kill Carmilla if she were the one that came around this corner. She wasn’t going to be some snack. She could handle this. She hoped.

“Vlad?” she called again, voice soft. She knew she shouldn’t announce herself, but she hoped it was just him. “If it’s anyone el-“

She gasped as someone appeared in front of her, knife coming up before she could help it. A hand caught her wrist before she finally let out a breath. “Vlad! I could have stabbed you.”

He stood before her, cloak and all, looking slightly amused if tired. “I doubt that,” he said quietly, letting go of her wrist, knife still in hand. Like he would at least allow her to think she could do such damage to him. She knew better. He was far too fast. “I did not mean to scare you. I had not realized you were still awake, and then your voice echoed. I apologize.”

“You’re far too silent not to answer me like that,” she chided, taking a shaky breath. And her heart was still pounding in her chest. Her fingers tightened around the knife for a moment before she finally turned to head back to the kitchen. “Come help me with dinner, you can tell me what you were up to while we chop vegetables.”

She linked fingers with him with her free hand to pull him along, and he allowed her. He paused for a moment before taking another knife to help her finish preparing dinner. “You could have eaten sooner,” he murmured.

That earned him a snort of disbelief. “I’m used to eating with you at this point. And you said you’d be back. I was hoping I could outwait you,” she explained, knife working on the carrot in front of her again. Her heart was starting to slow again now that she knew she wasn’t in immediate danger. That it was just Vlad, a vampire and a man she cared far too deeply about. A man she trusted to share a bed with. To teach her and not view her as lesser.

He seemed to take an unnecessary breath and nodded. “Well, you apparently can. I had an… idea last night. Something that I had to get done. In case you do ever decide to leave. Or need a safe place to go,” he explained quietly. She glanced over to find his eyes intently focused on his own chopping.

She opened her mouth to retort that she wouldn’t need such a thing only to have a hand raised at her. To pause just for a moment. “No. I am going to say this. If you don’t use it, that is alright,” he said quietly. “But I cannot have you worried about what will happen if you ever need or want to leave. Thus, I am working on a small cottage for you. It’s mostly complete, but it needs to be stocked.”

Not quite looking at her, he set the knife down as he continued talking. “You can use it for other reasons, of course. You’ve talked about doing more things in town. It’s all yours however you like it,” he said quietly, hands resting on the counter as if to steady himself. Not that she had ever seen him unsteady. “I want you to have a safe place to go. Somewhere that no one else owns and that no- individual can threaten you. I’m happy to show it to you soon, either before or after it-“

She took his hand, distracting him from continuing enough to get her to look at her and carefully raising a hand of his cheek. “Thank you,” she said gently, voice soft as she was able to meet his gaze. “That’s incredibly kind of you. Though I don’t plan on living down there.”

He blinked at her for a moment before letting out another breath. “I just want you to be safe. Yesterday was concerning,” he murmured.

“Well, you ridiculous man, what was more concerning was not understanding where you had gone,” she said gently. Or why, for that matter. She had no idea what Vlad had been up to all day, and while he wasn’t very loud around the castle, it felt eerie to have the castle empty with only her there to fill the silence. “We can go down tomorrow and bring whatever you think is necessary. It’ll be a nice trip, and a good place to store those medicines we’ve been working on.”

His fingers carefully traced down the side of her face, cool but soft despite the amount of wear they must have after so many years. “I just don’t want you to be hurt. Or to feel like you’re stuck here,” he murmured.

Lisa smiled softly, head tilting into his touch. He could be gentle when he chose to. “I don’t feel stuck here. And I prefer you being around. Now that you’re back, why don’t you help me finish up this dinner? You’re a much better chef than I.” Not for lack of trying, she was learning that too.

That earned her a smile, causing her to lean up and quickly peck him on the cheek before turning to finish up her dinner. It was enough to let them fall into cooking a small meal almost like normal, though Vlad seemed to avoid staring at her for too long except the one time his gaze lingered on the still obvious bruises around her neck. Guilty.

Quieter than usual.

She refused to acknowledge it though, focusing on the task at hand as they cooked, occasionally mentioning what she had done while he was out and just talking to fill the silence. A simple soup that she could settle down with while he poured a glass of blood for himself to sip at while she ate. It still amazed her that he had bothered to learn to cook when he never ate anything himself. That it was actually good left her in absolute awe.

Clean up was just as silent before she finally huffed loudly, bowl in hand. “Vlad, I’m fine. Sore, but alright. Please quit looking at me like I’m going to break,” she said, shaking her head as she handed him the dish to dry.

He froze for a moment before nodding, taking the plate from her. “Still. It was rather- harsh. It should not have happened,” he murmured, running the towel through it carefully as he looked at his hands, the motion more mechanic than intentional. Not looking at her. Again. “I will not have you hurt on the account of my court. Your safety is of utmost importance to me. Hence the cottage. Which may be of great necessity if I ever need to call my court for some reason. Carmilla is bad enough.”

He called court? He hadn’t mentioned that before. Just that he was actually in charge of other vampires, in a way. She shook her head quickly. “That does not change the fact that I am alright. Like I said, I’m sore, and I’m tired, but I’m alright. Just worried about all of this,” she said, resisting the urge to snap at him. She just wanted him to settle down a bit. And if it meant some little place on the edge of town, she’d be happy to have it, but she didn’t want these looks. “I appreciate what you’re building, but I would appreciate help with the medicine more right now. Alright?”

That caused him to pause. Like he still expected her to run at every moment. She might not be feeling the most secure right now, but she hadn’t stopped trusting him. They stood there for a moment before he finally nodded. “I can do that,” he promised quietly, setting the bowl back into its cabinet.

“Good. And then maybe we can read for a bit? We could both use some relaxation.” She settled slightly, glad to see him relax a bit, watching his shoulders slump as he nodded. Though the worry was still clear across his face.

“Alright. I would like that,” he murmured, ushering her towards the stairs.

She offered a smile and headed towards her room. She’d done most of the work needed for today anyways, so he could worry about other things if he stayed up later than her. Which he probably would if he still needed to work out whatever nerves were bothering him about the night before.

She linked her fingers with his as they walked, wanting to at least know if he decided to run off or stiffen. Besides, his hands were cool against hers. Eventually, she was able to lightly tug him into her room, plopping down on the bed and finding the salve from the day before, holding it out to him. “Please?” Not that she couldn’t do it herself, but still.

He paused before carefully taking it from her, sitting down besides her. “If you like,” he agreed, taking a look at the marks as he carefully put some on his fingers. His touch was exceedingly gentle as he rubbed it into the bruises, not quite looking at her face. “I still am deeply s-“

She cut him off with a raised finger. “Nope. I am not looking for another apology. I’ll be fine,” she said, pulling back as he finished up. “I am looking for someone to read with me.”

She imagined she would have nightmares for a while, but not of him. He wouldn’t harm her. She knew that much already. She kicked off the slippers she had been wearing and motioned for him to come lay with her. “Come on. Read to me. You have such a pleasant voice for it,” she said, patting the spot next to her.

He hesitated for a moment before moving to join her, taking the book from her carefully and freezing as she curled up against his side. “Comfortable?” he finally asked, glancing down at her only to get a nod. “Okay. Well, get some rest.” He flipped the book open to find the beginning, voice soft as he began reading, if a bit stiff.

She smiled slightly, curling further against his side as he read, glancing at the pages. Slowly, she drifted off next to him, far more comfortable than the night before.

Notes:

It's been a bit but here's a new chapter! I hope you enjoy, I'll try to get another chapter before winter break is over.

Fun facts: I've been reading the book Carmilla was based on.

Happy Holidays!!!

Chapter 11: Day 197

Summary:

Lisa is able to see what Vlad has been working on.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The next day, Vlad was still there when she awoke, fingers carefully carding through her hair as she realized she had slept in again. She refused to move for the first few moments, relaxed against him still and wondering for a moment if he’d even notice she’d woken. She wouldn’t complain if he didn’t, those fingers felt like heaven.

“You know, I can hear the change in your breathing,” he murmured, though his fingers still didn’t stop carding through hair softly. “I know you are awake now.”

Lisa huffed quietly in amusement, opening her eyes, and curling slightly towards him instead,  glancing up at him. Like this, in the early hours of the evening, he looked sweet. Calm… Not at all like the worried man that had come in last night. “That is completely unfair,” she protested softly. “You can hear everything.”

Vlad chuckled softly as he pushed what she imagined was her now rather tangled hair out of her face. “It is one of the joys that comes with my current condition,” he answered, shrugging. “But I like knowing that you’re awake.”

“That doesn’t make it any less unfair,” she grumbled as she looked up at him with a small smile. “I certainly don’t have that joy. But I suppose you can make it up to me by showing whatever you spent all of yesterday building after I can make myself look somewhat presentable.” She was a bit curious, and they would need to take medicine down there, probably many of the things she had been working on with him. Besides, he’d been so insistent on it, he couldn’t complain when she put him to work.

He nodded slightly, pushing another bit out of her hair before pulling back, leaving her room to sit up. “I suppose we should. Though, I am not sure I can complain about how you look right now,” he commented, causing her to flush and poke lightly at him.

Lisa pulled away to sit up fully now, smiling slightly despite the blush that stayed on her cheeks. “You are going to figure out whatever we need to bring down there with us while I get ready,” she said, waving a hand at him to go on. She would need to change into something, which should be easy enough considering how well she assumed her closet to  be stocked. She’d never had an issue before with finding something to wear, and she still had the clothes she had arrived in which would draw less attention than whatever nice thing Vlad had hidden in her closet.

Still, it drew a huff from him as he sat up. “If you insist,” he answered, carefully getting to his feet and smoothing out his clothes. She hadn’t meant to wrinkle everything, but she certainly wasn’t going to apologize. “I will see you downstairs shortly then?”

On her feet before he managed to leave the room completely, she gave him a quick peck on the cheek, much to his embarrassment. “Shortly,” she promised, closing the door behind him so she could change.

For someone as old as him, Lisa would have thought he’d have a bit more stoicism around affection. She had to wonder as she found a dark blue dress if anyone had been affectionate with him recently, how long it had been. She wasn’t completely sure how old he was, so there was no telling how long it had been since he’d been close to anyone.

Too long, at the very least.

She glanced in the small mirror to brush her hair back, getting rid of the tangles that he’d been more than happy to run his hands through this morning. She paused, smiling softly to herself as she ran her own fingers through her hair for a moment. He could be soft, sometimes, a stark contrast from the woman that had left the healing bruises around her neck. She stood there for a moment longer, lost in thought, before she had to physically shake herself from it and slip-on shoes from by the door. She also grabbed her knife, just in case.

Arriving downstairs, she found Vlad in the kitchen with two bags, one clearly full of a number of carefully packed vials. He was in the process of wrapping up a few things to eat; cheese, bread, and what she guessed was some fruit though she couldn’t see it. “Oh, good. I was thinking we could buy something down in town if necessary,” she said with a smile as she glanced in the other bag to make sure he had grabbed everything.

“I had not thought about that,” he commented as he finished wrapping the bread up carefully. “I do not tend to interact with people in town.”

She snorted softly at that. “I have always assumed as much considering your law decorations,” she teased, shaking her head, glancing at him as she earned a roll of his eyes. It was a step in the right direction. He’d protested every time she’d brought it up to him before. Maybe she was finally wearing him down.

 He’d changed as well, a new cloak that wasn’t quite as dark as normal. Something a little less intimidating, though it didn’t help that he was still an imposing figure. She could see where people might be frightened. “But you’ve been bringing them food for a while, or at least helping me provide it. It will be fine. We can find a meat pie or something for me in town.”

It was a gentle reminder of all he had done. Still, he needed to actually interact with them more often, in her opinion. To get him to see that people would continue to not mind him. They’d been getting used to each other for a while, and he was doing far much better. It made her proud.

He rolled his eyes. “That has always been with you,” he retorted as he closed up the other bag.

“And this will be with me as well, Vlad. Though it will be quite the day when you finally are comfortable seeing other people, I would not leave you to confront the world on your own,” she promised gently, reaching for the bag of food. He would probably try to carry it all on his own if she let him.

The look he settled on her for a moment was somewhere between fond because of her words and exasperated at the fact that she would insist on carrying anything. “Alright, alright,” he said, shaking his head, giving in to which part, she didn’t know.

The path back down to town was just as smooth as it had been before. Maybe she could finally convince him to remove the last of his field of bodies. That would be the biggest step she had made yet.

They talked quietly off and on the whole time, of nothing and everything. It was well past comfortable for her, more than used to their conversations at this point, especially with a background on him. She almost wanted to bring up the comment he had made about his court, but she wasn’t sure either of them were ready for that conversation. About what his life was like now. One day, she would get the whole story. For now, they could just talk, brushing over topics of medicine and research and books and anything really.

Eventually, he paused on the edge of town where an obviously newly built house stood. Not too far from where anyone could get to, but also just on the edge. Probably so that they could come and go without much interest or ceremony. The house wasn’t anything overly special except that she could tell it was nice from the outside.

“This  is it… I hope you will like it,” he explained quietly, pausing for a moment as he glanced at her. “It will be yours, however you wish to use it.”

Lisa stood there for a moment in surprise, taking it in. She’d never had a house of her own, living with her family as a child before she travelled looking for a teacher. A broad grin broke across her face as she grabbed his hand, pulling him towards it. “I already know it is perfect,” she promised, pushing the door open to step inside.

But Vlad paused on the other side as she stepped over the threshold, it’s owner finally home for the first time. Claimed by her the moment she crossed in.

She stood inside, eyes wide as she stood in the entrance, a small table and fireplace setting off to the side to welcome people in as well as a kitchen on the other side. Simple but plenty of room for a few people. Shelves lined the walls for books and medicine as well a cold storage for food and-

She paused as she finished the turn, looking at him in confusion on the other side of the door. Still outside. “What on earth are you doing out there?”

The way he shifted his weight awkwardly left her with her eyebrows knit together, incredibly confused. “I will need an invitation if you would like me to enter,” he explained quietly, eyes focused on her despite the fact that he was clearly uncomfortable.

“An inv- Of course you can come in, Vlad. You built this for me, why wouldn’t you by invited? Please, come in,” she said, motioning him inside. That didn’t make any sense. Why couldn’t he come in? She would not have kept him out, ever. He had never been anything but polite to her, even if he had wanted to scare her at first.

That seemed to let some tension out of his frame, his shoulders slumping a bit in relief as he stepped in and closed the door. “It is one of the rules of being a vampire that we cannot break. I am unsure why, but this is your home, and you have claimed it now,” he explained quietly. “Which was why-“

“You wanted to build me a place! Oh, that makes much more sense,” she interrupted, eyes going wide for a moment. He could have explained that! She managed to huff out a laugh as things clicked into place. He had made her a place that was truly safe… A place that no one like Carmilla or any of his vampire court may enter. Even he could not have entered at first, given the way he paused outside the door. Surely he would have come in if he could? He could have easily lurked just inside if he wanted to give her space.

Vlad looked like he would have blushed if he could, ducking his head slightly with a small smile. “Like I said. I want you to be safe, Lisa,” he murmured quietly. “No one of my kind may enter without your explicit permission, so please be careful inviting those into your home.”

She could feel herself warm for a moment, amazed at the care he had apparently put into this. The thought, given the little amount of time he’d had to put it together. She could not imagine feeling more loved.

“You are far too kind of a man. I love it. Now help me unpack these medicines?”

He blinked before shrugging the bag off of his shoulder with a smile and onto the table, head still slightly ducked but now at the praise. Slowly, they were able to fill up the shelves with the vials of things that would not go bad for a long time, arranging them like they were at home.

He showed her the rest of the house too, a bedroom for her and another room with several beds in case she was treating people overnight. He also showed her a sign to put on the door to let locals know when she was in and with the title of doctor.

She’d thrown her arms around him, having to reach up to get them around his neck with the height difference, absolutely delighted. She’d never imagined she would truly be a doctor, but he had done it. Maybe a new one, but she was there. She could do this.

And words of gratitude tumbled out, her eyes bright as she looked up at him. Thankful and amazed that she had found someone so willing to treat her like this. Someone to teach her and treat her as a whole person. To allowed her to be herself.

Unsaid was how she realized how she loved him.

Notes:

Sorry about the wait, y'all! This fic is still alive, I assure you, I've just been busy. Hope you enjoyed! Let me know what you think :)

Chapter 12: Chapter 12

Summary:

Sometimes, Lisa says it to the wrong person first.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

She had a feeling that if she had told her past self that she would convince the recluse of that castle behind a sea of bodies to come down and treat people, she would have laughed in her own face. He had threatened her when she first came, been on guard with her for many steps along the way. Until she realized that he wasn’t…

She smiled softly as she sent him off to grab one of their medicines and a handful of things to send the young woman before her off with so that she wouldn’t need to come back too soon. Lisa only made it down here herself a few days a week, so she didn’t want to make anyone wait if she couldn’t come back right away. They’d been doing this for months now though, falling into a schedule and actually treating people. Putting everything he’d taught her into practice, and him around to actually make sure that she was doing it properly, ever the teacher.

Plus, the brief visits kept Vlad and the local residents from getting too nervous about each other.

She smiled slightly as she finished explaining when to take the medicine and what else she could do to feel better. “You’ll be alright by the next time I’m around, and if you’re not, you should come back, okay?” she asked as Vlad reappeared at her side again with a small bag. “Oh, thank you, dear.”

Vlad offered an awkward nod as she patted him on the arm, glancing towards the woman that she was helping and then nodding his approval in her work. “I’ll be in the back,” he said quietly, a small smile crossing his face as he glanced at Lisa again before moving away.

The young woman glanced between them for a moment as Vlad turned away, leaving Lisa glad she had convinced him that the cloak was unnecessary. That would have made the woman even more on edge. “We really didn’t think you’d… manage to learn with him,” the patient finally murmured once he had disappeared from the room. Her eyes darted towards where he’d disappeared before back to her. “The whole town was convinced we’d pointed you towards your death…”

Lisa blinked before laughing softly. “He’s really a sweetheart, just a bit imposing,” she promised gently. She knew what they thought of him, and maybe now was not the time to mention him threatening her. “I really could not have asked for a better person in my life, truly. You all did me the biggest favor.”

Which only seemed to draw out a confused frown as the woman looked at Lisa, seeming to try to figure out if she was actually telling the truth. “Are you sure? That he’s not… taking advantage?” she asked softly.

Drawing herself up, Lisa met her gaze pointedly. “He would never do such a thing. The reason I am here treating you, as your doctor, is because of that man. He’s also the reason that I’m happier than I could have ever imagined, so I would greatly appreciate if you would not insult the man that I love,” she warned softly. Not a threat, but insulted that they would treat him such a way when that was the only reason she could stand in front of them like this.

As a doctor.

She never thought she’d make it this far, but here she was. With her own practice. Defending the man that had taught her everything he could and still taught her more. The man she loved.

She blinked as her patient stuttered out an apology, realizing what she had said about Vlad. “It’s alright,” she managed, shaking her head. “I don’t want anyone to think that this isn’t something I’m incredibly happy with. So feel free to pass it along to anyone else who may have your concerns. I will not put up with people insulting Vlad here.”

“Of course,” she murmured. The woman nodded slightly, picking up the bag that Vlad had brought her. “I think I’ll be going then. Thank you for your help…” She got to her feet carefully, glancing once more towards where Vlad had disappeared and then back at Lisa. “Thank you, Doctor… We do appreciate you.”

Lisa offered a polite smile in response, noting that she had left out Vlad. Still, a step. She hoped. Even as her mind tried to wrap around the fact that she had said she loved him. “Of course. Get home safe,” she said gently.

Ushering her out was easier after that, sure she had proper instructions for her medicine and a better idea of just where this clinic stood on the issue of Vlad Tepes. Which was another good step of many. Though, now that she thought about it, it was almost shocking that no one had brought up with her before about whether or not Vlad was treating her well. She sighed softly, shaking her head as she closed the door behind her.

Only to turn around to find Vlad staring at her in what seemed to be some level of shock as he reappeared now that the woman was go-

He’d heard. Oh, hell. He’d heard everything she just said!

She didn’t know how long they stood there, knowing it could have been a few seconds or several minutes as she tried to figure out how to say… anything. He’d heard her say that she loved him before she could even say it to him!

“You love me?” he breathed, though it barely even broke the silence as her thoughts thundered. She barely heard him truthfully, but she knew what he said. It shocked her almost as much, to realize that this wasn’t new. That she had loved him for months now.

Months of cleaning up the lab, of cooking dinner together, of making the clinic into a second home. Of finding a man that could teach her and still treat her like an equal. That stood between her and those that he’d known for centuries likely. That let her trace his scars sometimes, answering her questions about what his life had been like before her with minimal hesitation. And seemed to listen with rapt attention when she spoke. That had a temper to match her own when provoked, and respected that hers was just as understandable. Who had picnics in the moonlight or was happy to find her in the castle some days, like he thought she might disappear.

“Apparently, I do. Yes,” she said, reaching up to awkward brush a hand through her hair, unsure how such a thing would be received. Not that they hadn’t been sleeping in the same bed for months now, shifting her schedule to match his. Him doing… everything.

Her heart was pounding when he didn’t respond immediately, unsure if she had said something wrong. It was a big thing, to admit that she loved him. She knew that. And then he was in front of her, slowly leaning down. Hand carefully on the side of her face. Gentle.

Giving her a chance to leave.

Instead, she closed the space, meeting the kiss that she hoped he was intending to give. And for once, things worked out. It was gentle, not asking anything from her that she wasn’t more than willing to give, her arms wrapping around his neck to keep him closer.

As gentle as it was, she was still breathless when he pulled away, staring up at him.

“I love you too,” he murmured.

Notes:

I know this is shorter than my normal chapters, but this had such a perfect ending. Let me know what you think! (And enjoy season 4, no spoilers, I'm only halfway through it)

Chapter 13: Chapter 13

Summary:

Nothing ever stays smooth for long.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

They made it back to the castle only shortly before sunset that night, both still a little… giddy, she supposed. From telling each other.

Lisa had never imagined falling in love. It’d never been a priority, and she rarely had any level of interest in other people, men or women. The men treated her awfully, and no amount of good looks were worth that. The women, while better, often had more ties and wouldn’t have left if she had ever dared ask.

But Vlad? Well, she had finally found someone that she was smore than happy to have fallen in love with. Of course, all of this ran through her head while she was curled up next to him at sunset the next morning, smiling softly to herself as she watched him sleep. The sun was just setting, if her judge of time was right. She’d gotten fairly good at it since they’d been sharing a bed.

He started to stir, confirming her guess. He was rarely up before the sun. She let her fingers run through his hair lightly. “Good evening,” she murmured as he woke, looking at her before returning her smile.

Truly perfect.

“I had wondered if I would wake from a dream tonight, but I suppose I am instead incredibly lucky,” he answered before yawning, fangs clearly visible before settling back down again next to her, letting her comb her fingers lightly through his hair as she laughed softly. “What is on the agenda for today then?”

“I think you confuse who is the lucky one, considering how we started off,” she said, light and teasing. “If I didn’t need to eat, I would suggest we lay here all night. But perhaps an hour or two…”

Vlad grinned, watching her prop herself up slightly above him. “I think we could arrange half an hour or so though unless your stomach has decided to be demanding,” he said, brushing some of her hair back so that he could properly see her face. “It’s still a bit early to be cooking you breakfast anyways.”

Maybe they did lay there for another half hour. It was probably well over an hour, before Lisa couldn’t ignore the fact that she was hungry and did in fact need to eat, though neither really complained except for some halfhearted grumbling. No part of it was serious as Vlad finally climbed out of bed to find a change of clothes. She really should convince him that they needed to keep more clothes in one of their rooms. It made so little sense to keep them apart with them always sharing a bed.

Still, they met downstairs minutes later, Lisa leaning up to kiss his cheek and help with breakfast. She knew he could move faster, but it was unfair just how much quicker he seemed to get things done somedays. Their night fell into their many habits. Medicine creation, food, light reading. Though with a much happier air than usual.

The only difference about the day before and the day after they admitted they were in love was that it ended in dancing.

Lisa had found the device on accident, really. Something she’d never seen before, but when she asked Vlad, he’d said it played music without anyone else there with him. Like he had somehow recorded it. She wasn’t quite certain how he had done it, just like so many other things she wasn’t sure how he had done around the castle. Convincing him to turn it on was the easy part.

Convincing him to dance was the hard part.

“Lisa, really. I have not danced in many years,” he said, raising a hand to try to deny her, only for her to take it and pull him towards the middle of what was clearly meant to be a ballroom with a grin.

She didn’t see why he should have a ballroom that would never get used. “I am not asking you to be any good at it! I’m just asking you to dance with me. I certainly won’t be any good,” she promised as she finally managed to pull him out towards the middle of the floor.

Which is where he stood for a moment, making her wonder if she’d finally ask something he truly wasn’t comfortable with. She paused, hand falling slightly before his hand settled carefully on her waist, lighter than necessary. Unsure, perhaps? How long could it be since he had danced, truly?

“I suppose I can do one dance,” he gave in, earning a bright smile as Lisa pushed aside her worries about overstepping somewhere. “Just one. I was never much of a dance before.”

Gently, they began swaying. It was soft, matching the music he had recorded somehow. Gentle steps into a waltz around the room that still left Lisa smiling as one hand remained laced with his and the other one his shoulder. No part of it was fancy, but they lapsed into silence as he led her around the room, more than making up for any lack of knowledge she would have had about dance. And proving his supposed lack of dancing wrong.

Before she knew it, she was being lead into an easy spin, laughter bubbling up as he pulled her back in, beaming up at him. “And you said you didn’t dance,” she teased softly.

Vlad shrugged slightly, though he wore a gentle smile settling on his own face. “I don’t. Often, anyways. Not in several hundred years, certainly,” he murmured. “Vampires do not have much need for dancing.” Like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Perhaps it was, if you were a vampire without very many friends.

But instead, she wrinkled her nose at the idea. “Perhaps someone should reintroduce it to all of them then. It sounds like your court must be rather dull if they don’t dance. Everyone needs to once in a while,” she warned. “It’s good for the body and mind.”

Every village she had ever been in danced once in a while. People needed to celebrate and have fun, even if it was over something mundane. Often, it was over a wedding, but that was the best reason. Maybe that was why he’d been so closed off originally, it had been so long since anyone had convinced him to loosen up. Vlad very well could have forgotten it with as long as he had been around.

Lucky her, to reintroduce him to the world. He didn’t seem to be complaining about it.

“Perhaps, but that does not mean we do so,” he said, shaking his head. That wouldn’t have dissuaded her from the conversation if he hadn’t twirled her into another spin, though with more force so that she went much faster, skirt flaring out as she gasped softly in surprise. For a moment, he let go.

Lisa found herself in a dip, staring up at him in shock before quickly wrapping her around him. “You scared the shit out of me, Vlad Tepes!” she snapped, earning a laugh before he leaned in for a kiss, pulling her to him as she held on so as not to fall.

There was something to be said for vampire strength. She wasn’t the smallest of women, used to walking and carrying her own supplies. But he held her up easily as he kissed her, clearly not concerned by any amount of weight before he pulled back, leaving both of them slightly breathless.

“I suppose that makes up for it?” he asked, pulling her back to her feet, arms still wrapped around his neck tightly.

She swatted lightly at his shoulder in retaliation. “You’re lucky you’re good at that,” she shot back, but they were both grinning. The music had changed now, something a bit lighter. A bit faster. Convincing him to dance longer after that wasn’t as hard as he had suggested it might be.

They put the ballroom to use that night, even with Vlad’s protests. And it proved that he did in fact know how to dance, even if he tried to say that he didn’t.

It was a miracle he didn’t drop her when there was banging on the front door, drawing a loud sigh of annoyance from Vlad as he pulled them to a stop, glancing in the direction of the main entrance hall. “If that is Carmilla again,” he muttered under his breath angrily, carefree manner from moments before shuttering behind annoyance. Lisa didn’t care to think of how that threat was going to end. “Stay… somewhere behind me, please.”

Which was probably the wisest thing he could have asked for after she had continued to confront Carmilla on some level. Not that Lisa was itching for another confrontation after the marks the woman had left on her throat.

Vlad was gone a moment later, presumably to the entrance hall and leaving her to follow quietly behind, try to ignore the fact that it automatically left her edge. That her heart started to pound even as took her time to catch up, taking a deep breath. She paused for a moment as she glanced around the corner to see Vlad standing in front of a red-haired man.

“-Heard you had a human woman here! A lover! Couldn’t believe it, my lord, I had to come see for myself. Carmilla had to be full of shit,” the stranger said with a loud laugh, shaking his head like it was absolutely impossible. “We all know how women stretch things, right?”

Lisa’s lips formed a thin line as she watched them. She’d seen more than a number of men that exaggerated the stupidest things. This one sounded like a pig.

Still, she didn’t step out from her spot, watching Vlad appear to huff in annoyance, his shoulders moving slightly. It was far more obviously when he wasn’t walking around with one of his big cloaks on. “I do not see how I spend my time is any of your business, Godbrand. Neither is where I find companionship,” he snapped.

The man – Godbrand? -  seemed to be yanked out of how he found this to be such a joke, staring at him in surprise. “You’re with a human? What’s the fucking point? Carmilla said this has been going on for months,” he asked. “They’re too fragile to be fucking for that lo-“

A crack resounded across the room as the man seemed to be tossed backwards into one of the pillars, Vlad’s hand in the air. “Don’t be crude,” she could barely hear him growl as he stalked towards the man, grabbing his collar to lift him up. “There is more to our existences than having sex and pillaging.”

Godbrand was on his toes, Vlad’s hand tight around his throat, though the stranger didn’t seem to be struggling too much as he stared in surprise. “You forgot eating and fighting,” he retorted. “So Carmilla’s right? You have some little pet running ar-“ He gasped, hands going up to grab at the hand around his throat.

Lisa froze before stepping out from behind her corner. “I think you have better things to do than threaten pigs, Vlad,” she called from the top of the stairs. Her voice was stronger than she felt, stepping forward so her hands could rest on the railing. She wasn’t going to watch fighting, even if she didn’t blame him. Even if she thought that the man could clearly use a lesson in some manners. He clearly hadn’t learned them if that was how he referred to people. The memory of fingers around her own throat was too stark to let it go on though.

Though Vlad didn’t  let him go, it seemed to work somewhat as the other pulled in a breath, gaining a footing underneath him that seemed to a bit more stable. “I think I’d find that debatable,” he retorted in annoyance before letting Godbrand go, the man stumbling back.

Godbrand’s stare was clearly shocked as he looked at her and then back at Vlad. “This is her? This is the human woman that has managed to tempt the Lord Dracula? She doesn’t look like much,” he said, rubbing at his throat. Another crack resounded as his head jerked back.

“You would do well not to insult her in front of me,” Vlad snapped, taking a menacing step forward.

Lisa blinked in surprise as Godbrand stepped back as well, clearly cowed by him. Even if the look on his face was incredulous and pissed. What on earth could Vlad have done to win a man like this’s respect? “I certainly won’t stop him from hurting you,” she warned from the stairs. “Not with manners like yours.”

Godbrand glanced between the two of them for a moment before nodding just slightly. “I see,” he said shortly before pulling himself up to full height. The handprint on his face was quickly fading. “I won’t be the only one to stop by with questions about your little… arrangement, Lord Dracula. Others will come. They will believe it less than I did.”

More of them? Was she never going to get peace from these people? The only good thing she’d seen so far is that Vlad had equal respect for the men and women of his court. Though, it may be better to put it as he had just as little tolerance for them regardless of gender.

“I can handle my court, Godbrand. Get out,” Vlad snapped.

It only earned him a curt bow and another long glance at Lisa that she couldn’t decipher but it wasn’t pleasant. “We’ll see how long this lasts.” The big vampire turned to walk out, taking his time as he yanked the door shut behind him with a final slam.

Vlad’s shoulders slumped, a hand running through his hair when he was finally gone.

“Fuck.”

Notes:

First, I finished season 4 and WOW.
Second, it's been exactly year since I've started this fic and it's easily become the longest thing I've ever written. It's fifty pages in Microsoft at the moment. Your comments all bring me so much joy! And I still really enjoy writing their story, especially now that we have a little more content of them.
Also, fun fact, after doing the math, my best guess is they've known each other for somewhere around the two year mark in this chapter. (I'm really fluid on time which is biting my attempts to quantify this in the ass)

Hope you enjoyed! Let me know what you think :)

Chapter 14: Chapter 14

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Lisa pressed her lips together for a moment as she watched Vlad, Godbrand now gone at the very least. It was better, knowing that they wouldn’t all threaten her like Carmilla had. Admittedly, Godbrand had not quite gotten the same chance that the terrifyingly beautiful Carmilla had not overly long ago. They’d been nowhere near each other, starting off with much more distance.

Slowly, though, she made it down the stairs to meet him, watching him straighten up a bit as she approached. “Vlad?” she asked quietly, stepping around him with a frown. “What was all of that?”

He glanced down at her before back towards the door. “That. Would have been Godbrand. Another member of my court,” he muttered quietly.

Her frown only deepened as she looked up at him, one hand carefully drawing his face to look back at her as she considered that. “I think you should tell me more about this court of yours if they are going to keep showing up here. And what exactly you mean to them,” she said quietly, voice firm.

She couldn’t keep having people show up here, treating her like the scum of the earth. Threatening her life. Not without understanding what exactly was going on besides the fact that vampires just didn’t seem to like humans.

Even if Vlad said he loved her.

More concerning was the way he withdrew slightly at the suggestion, hand carefully taking hers away from his face. “I do not think that wise,” he murmured.

“You don’t? Because I think I’ve been threatened multiple times now by different members of your court. I deserve to know what I’m walking into if I come down here and find a stranger in the doorway again,” she said, tone clipped slightly towards the end. Not that she doubted he would protect her, but she was incredibly tired of being threatened.

He pressed his lips together. “My court is not something you should be messing with, Lisa. It is bad enough that they decide to show up uninvited,” he said shortly, shaking his head as he stepped back, trying to draw away.

“Excuse me. I’m already ‘messing’ with it. I am here, with you. I’ve clearly made my choice about where I should be,” she snapped, hand tightening on his before he could full draw back, though she knew it would be worthless if he wanted to leave. She’d seen how easily he could knock around someone like Godbrand, a man who was clearly a warrior and completely muscle. He’d knocked him aside like he was nothing. Vlad was more than capable of doing the same to her.

She regretted the thought almost the moment she had it, feeling his hand withdraw from hers, turning to stare at her for a long moment as he seemed to debate if he wanted to tell her at all. If he would tell her at all.

“I’ll make you dinner,” he said instead, turning towards the kitchen and leaving her huffing in annoyance when he refused to answer her question.  “It’s about that time, anyways.”

Lisa gaped at him for a moment in surprise, shocked that he would completely brush her off in such a manner. “And what? Ignore the fact that these people would be happy to see me dead?” she snapped, following after him quickly, cursing his long legs. Why did he have to be so damn tall? She caught up to him in the hallway, still fuming at the fact that he had so blatantly ignored her request. “You can’t just keep me from things that you don’t like about yourself!”

“I’m not telling you about them, Lisa. You’ve seen enough to gather an idea of who they are,” he said shortly, shaking his head as he continued walking.

She finally darted in front of him, managing to get him to come up short as she glared up at him. “You have told me everything else I have asked. Why not this time? I’ve already heard about everything else you’ve done, at least some,” she snapped, glaring up at him pointedly, hands on her hips.

When all he did was stare for a moment at her, she continued, softening slightly. “I want to understand the world I am stepping into since I have been here for so long, Vlad. If this is actually serious, I deserve to know that,” she explained carefully, trying to make him see reason.

Then there was stone against her back, gasping as she realized just how Vlad was towering over her. It hadn’t hurt, but her heart was pounding as his arms braced around her, staring down. “And if those stories are what finally makes you see a monster? What do you think it takes to win that kind of reverence from vampires like that, Lisa?” he growled. “What kind of man do you think would control not just two vampires that are willing to kill you at the drop of a hat but hundreds?”

Her heartbeat was thundering in her ears as she stared up at him, eyes wide for a moment before she shoved sharply at his chest. “I came here with a garden of bodies on your front step, Vlad Tepes! I do not need you to warn me that you were a monster of a man!” she snapped back furiously. “If you think I am not smart enough to put that together after all I have seen from you, I am almost as insulted as I am at you trying to intimidate me!”

Vlad’s lips formed a thin line as he stared down at her, not backing up from her shove or moving away. “That is not a part of me that I wish to expose you to further. I will keep my court away from you, that is all you need to concern yourself with,” he shot back, voice almost as cold as the first time they had met.

Lisa pointedly ducked under his arm and pulled away from him. “Then you can enjoy dinner on your own. You clearly don’t get to decide when your court shows up at your door, so you need to tell me exactly what I will be walking into.”

She turned to leave back towards her room, planning on finding dinner later if she needed it, only to feel his hand wrap around her arm. “Lisa… I’m trying to protect you,” she heard him murmured quietly.

Still, she jerked her arm away, his grip not actually tight enough to hold her in place. “I don’t need your protection as much as I need you to be honest with me,” she snapped before heading towards her room. Maybe it was better she hadn’t asked him about putting clothes in there if he was going to act like this right now…

She didn’t slow until she was able to shut the door behind her, head leaning back against it. He’d let her go, even in her anger.

She closed her eyes for a moment, forcing a deep breath as she tried to force some sense of calm. He’d not harm her. He would still protect her, even in her own fury, which was slightly reassuring after witnessing him throw Godbrand across the room. It was good. To know that he would still try to take care of her. Still, he had pinned her against a wall to avoid answering the question, even if she had had no harm from it.

Huffing angrily, she pulled away from the door to change into something to sleep into. She didn’t want to go back out until she was certain he was gone, though he hadn’t tried to follow her. That was good, she supposed, even as she changed into a nightgown, staring down at the floor for a moment as she realized just how rarely recently she had gotten ready for bed where she wouldn’t be sleeping next to him.

“Idiotic man,” she muttered under her breath, shaking her head.

She couldn’t just ignore the fact that now she had met two vampires that clearly thought she would be better off dead. If Carmilla was out telling people that she lived with Vlad, there was bound to be more interrupting her life and threatening her. Thinking less of her for her humanity that Vlad never seemed to mind.

Grimacing, she sank down onto the bed, feet dangling over the side as she sat, trying to figure out just how to get Vlad to tell her. Living in fear of whoever might come through that front door was not a life she could live. It was not a life she would live.

Vlad had been so honest with her whenever she’d asked. Well, usually. There was the time he’d called her prey. He could be snippy when she got close to bits he didn’t want to show her, but this had been even more aggressive than the times before. Like he was afraid even after she’d told him how she felt that she would leave all of sudden.

She could hear it now, thinking back. About what kind of man could be in charge of monsters? Hundred of them, by his count. She knew, of course, that he had a violent past of his own doing.

Hell! There had been hundred of bodies outside when she’d arrived, but none of them had had flesh left to even smell. It was a macabre scene, but it suggested that all of that had taken place truly a long time ago. That he truly did not live like that anymore, even if it was horrifying.

She’d known, even then. She’d known on some level what she was getting into.

Eventually, she pulled on a robe as her stomach grumbled from her lack of dinner, making it downstairs carefully. Not quite avoiding Vlad, but certainly not seeking him out. She wasn’t ready to confront it all again, not right now. They both had too hot of heads for that if he was going to act like a bit of a bastard.

In the kitchen, she did find a small plate of food wrapped up for her. She supposed that was a good sign if they were going to make up in the next few days. He couldn’t be too mad if he was leaving her food out, she hoped. Especially since she was only going to make him angrier if he didn’t work with her a bit. She didn’t need the whole history, but she needed to know enough to keep herself safe.

She ate in silence, letting herself just… try to think about what they should do. She couldn’t just keep living in what was apparently half secret here. She wasn’t going to hide herself every time someone knocked at the door, especially when patients made it up to the castle sometimes. Vlad would only scare them off, and the patients still made him slightly uncomfortable.

It wasn’t like she hadn’t stuck around through his stories of his gory younger years, even if he hadn’t exactly been young then. She stabbed at the vegetables in annoyance. What did he think she was? Some foolish woman?

The insult that that carried with it, the implication that on some level she didn’t understand he had in fact murdered hundred of people to build that field in front of his castle, infuriated her. She finished her meal in quiet annoyance, washing the plate and putting it away before heading back upstairs to her room, hoping that she didn’t run into him again. She’d have more than a few choice words for him, better to wait until tomorrow at the earliest.

She’d started to make up her mind though, deciding that if he came around, something would need to change. She needed to know about the world she had entered herself into by falling in love with a vampire. That was something she wouldn’t be able to change if they were going to continue whatever this was. Vlad was a vampire, and a powerful one at that.

Whatever she learned, she needed to meet Vlad’s court.

Notes:

I'm traveling and have no patience, so y'all get a new chapter! Enjoy :)

Chapter 15

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Like other times, it took a few days before either of them were ready to talk again. Leaving Lisa to sleep alone again, much to her annoyance. She’d gotten used to sharing a bed with her slightly cooler than he should be pillow. That had shocked her the first night, just how much she had noticed he was gone. She hoped it bothered him just as much as it bothered her, truthfully.

She found him standing outside of her door early one night as she was getting ready to go down to grab something for breakfast. He’d still left meals out for her, of course, but sometimes she woke before him. “Vlad,” she greeted in surprise, hand still on her doorknob.

“Lisa,” he answered quietly, stepping back to allow her out of the room. “I was thinking we could go for a walk this evening. Talk.”

She blinked, surprised that he would suggest a walk before she’d even eaten breakfast. Though, it was better than waiting for him to appear and surprise her. She did note the lack of apology. “If you let me grab something to eat, I’d be happy to take a walk,” she answered with a shrug, turning to find a pair of shoes that were more suitable for walking in than the light ones she wore around the castle.

He stayed in the doorway while she searched for shoes, offering her a large apple when she returned, earning him a slight smile. “I suppose that does take care of breakfast,” she teased despite her residual annoyance with the whole issue.

“I knew you would be hungry,” he answered with a shrug, turning to lead her outside. “And I wanted to talk before we got distracted by other things.”

Lisa couldn’t help the quiet snort of amusement that escaped her. He really had figured out her eating schedule despite the fact that he clearly didn’t need to eat at the same times. She only ever saw him with a glass or two of blood every day compared to her regular meals and occasional snack. Instead of responding, she took a bite into the apple, enjoying the fact that he could keep such things easily in the castle.

Neither of them spoke again until they stepped out the front doors, Vlad holding the door open for her before letting it close behind him. She paused, staring out at the last of the bodies for a moment as the night settled in properly around them, feeling Vlad draw up beside her, his cloak settling around him.

“I’ve decided it’s time to take down the rest of those,” he said quietly, her gaze snapping to him in surprise. She’d brought it up a few times, of course. The field had thinned out a great deal since she had first met him, but he had never started that conversation on his own. It had always been her pushing. “I was thinking about it. About my court in particular, but about everything else as well. I think this is part of my life that I’ve grown past.”

She couldn’t help but stare in response for a moment before giving a small nod. “I think that’s a wise choice,” she finally managed, shaking herself. “It’s time those bodies were able to rest. What did you decide about your court?”

Vlad’s lips formed a thin line, glancing at her before slowly making his way down the steps so they could walk around the grounds. She followed, taking another bite of her apple as she waited for a response. “If you insist on discussing them-“ to which she offered a nod, only making him frown- “I’ll tell you. About them. And what I am among my kind.”

“Then I’ll listen,” she offered quietly as they fell into a smoother pace around the castle. “I need to know what world I’m in now, especially since I’m going to meet them.” It was a careful suggestion, not quite mentioning that she wanted to meet them all at once.

“I should hope you are not,” he snorted a bit more loudly than before, far less thoughtful. She supposed she couldn’t blame him too much, but she wasn’t going to let that drop. “But I can tell you about them. I am… Well. I am called King of the Vampires by some. They have never called me a king in the sense that I would be King Dracula, I keep the title of Lord from my life before. But I am the only one we know of to have such a large council or control. No one impedes on my territory without my permission, and they will go where I tell them.”

She blinked, taking that in. He was essentially their king? She had never imagined such a thing, truthfully. “A king?” she asked after finishing another bite of apple. “How did that happen?”

A cold laugh seemed to escape him. “I was cruel. And I was old by the time some of them were made. I told you about who I was when I was younger. You’ve seen the evidence of it every time we leave,” he said quietly, not looking at her. “I was no less cruel with my own kind than I was with humans. And I was not afraid to use my strength to cow them into submission.”

Lisa took another bite of her apple as she considered that, slightly unsettled. She’d seen how the other two talked about her. How fast and strong they potentially will. More with Carmilla, but she had problems convincing herself that Godbrand was weak either. She’d seen how quickly the marks of his face had begun to heal after Vlad had hit him. She couldn’t imagine what kind of strength vampires truly had. “So they made you king,” she said quietly.

“No, I took the title,” he corrected, shaking his head, still not looking at her. “Which was why Carmilla visited when she was in the area. It’s inconsiderate if they were to not stop in.”

The words sent a shiver down her spine. That he had taken control of- “And how many are there? How many people do you hold that title over?” she murmured.

He huffed softly. “Hundreds. I have my generals, two of which you’ve met. It’s concerning if word is spreading. There’s a chance we could be getting a lot more visitors in the coming months,” he answered, finally looking at her again, concern clear on his face.

Whether for the fact that they were coming or that she might leave, Lisa wasn’t sure.

“Then invite them. Call a meeting of sorts, if you are their king. Let me meet them properly on equal footing instead of the doorway of your castle,” she offered, looking up at him calmly. She could already see him opening his mouth to protest. “It’s not going to stop me from meeting them if you don’t, Vlad. This way we’ll know when they’re coming.”

Still, he pinched the bridge of his nose as he stopped walked, looking down at her over his hand. “I know you’ve been listening to me. These vampires are dangerous, and many of them will think of you at best like Godbrand did. As a piece of a meat that isn’t good for much more than a meal or something crude,” he said shortly.

Stopping front of him, she raised an eyebrow in return. “I can handle crude, thank you very much. What I do not want to handle is them barging into the place I call home randomly like they have done so f-“

“And what? You want to stand in front of a room full of vampires that would be just as happy that you were a corpse to tell them that you live with me?” he snapped, hand waving at the castle and the life they had started to develop as… whatever they were these days.

Lisa paused before raising a finger at him, stepping closer. “One, you do not need to interrupt me,” she began with an air of warning before raising a second. “Two, I am trusting you to not let it end with me as dinner. It is far better than the surprise of Carmilla appearing when you are not around.”

She fell quiet, glaring up at him. She wasn’t just going to let this drop, even if he glared back, silence growing between them as the stood merely inches apart. His red gaze stayed locked on her own until finally looked away.

“Fine,” he finally hissed softly. “Fine, I will call them to the castle. The higher ranks, anyways, I do not need every foot soldier roaming around here. The message can be passed on. It’ll have to be a month or so out so we don’t annoy them further. You can change your mind sometime in the next two weeks.”

She sighed softly in relief when he agreed, hand dropping. “I won’t. Change my mind, I mean,” she said, softening her tone.

Vlad just shook his head, staring away into the night until she reached up to carefully turn his chin towards her. “I do not want you to run when you see who I truly used to be,” he murmured quietly. “These are not people that bring out the best in me.”

She offered a tiny smile. “I saw you knock someone across a room for me, and I have seen the skeletons you have refused to hide in your obnoxiously large closets, Vlad Tepes. I do not think a room full of vampires and you will make me change my mind anytime soon,” she promised as she started to understand that he was merely worried she would leave. The idea was something she could not fathom actually following through with.

The quiet chuckle her words drew from him allowed her to relax slightly. “I suppose you have seen all of my skeletons at this point,” he agreed in guarded amusement.

Leaning up, she quickly kissed him on the cheek. “That I have,” she agreed with a grin before her smile fell away for a moment. “However, if you ever slam me against a wall again, I will figure out how to return the favor in some way, vampire or not. Understand?”

He stared at her in surprise, eyes seeming to widen a bit in shock before he couldn’t help the smile that seemed to force its way across his face. “I suppose I would deserve that, though I have no idea how you would manage it,” he said, somewhere between amused and curious though not doubtful. “I apologize. For pressing you against the wall. I do not apologize for my outburst otherwise though.”

At least he could recognize where she was serious. She patted him lightly on the arm and turned to continue their walk, taking another bite of her apple. “Apology accepted,” she promised.

It wasn’t perfect, but she could live with it, especially since he had agreed to bring the court in for her to meet them properly. Instead of focusing on all of that, she let her hand sneak over to tangle with his while they walked, even though it meant pushing his cloak out of the way.

She could just barely catch the smile on his face he squeezed her hand lightly. They made it a good way around the castle in the cool night air, hand in hand while she finished her breakfast. Eventually, they made their way back inside in a much more amicable silence than they had been when they left.

Steering him to actually go work on sending out the letters to send out to his court took more effort, but Lisa was fairly certain that if they didn’t get started now, he might find a way to back out of it. She certainly wouldn’t put it past him. Thus, she had to nudge him towards wherever this office of his was, realizing that despite being here for over a year, she had never actually been inside his office. She only vaguely knew where his own bedroom was, not far from hers.

Stepping inside was a surprise she didn’t expect, finding a cozy room. Admittedly, it was still nicer than anything she had seen before she had started living with Vlad, but it was far cozier than everything else except her room. There was a large desk and an even larger fireplace, several chairs scattered around the room in dark colors. Old portraits hung on the walls where there weren’t bookshelves, drawing her attention as Vlad carefully stepped around her to start a fire. The whole room felt like him to her, warm but dark. Welcoming, when finally allowed to see it.

“How have you managed to hide all of this from me?” she asked quietly, staring up at a portrait of him from who knew when.

Vlad glanced up from the fire he was starting. “I have had very little need to use my office while you’ve been here. You keep me rather busy,” he said with a shrug. “And you were far more interested in the laboratory, albeit understandably.”

Pausing, she glanced at him and then back at the portrait for a moment. “I suppose that makes sense. I think I might have to come read up here sometimes though. I like this room,” she said with a smile. “But for now, we have letters to write.”

“Here I was hoping to distract you,” he grumbled halfheartedly, carefully moving a chair so that they could share either side of the desk.

That was where they sat for much of the rest of the night, copying out letters to send to the higher ups in his court. It amazed Lisa just how many there were, not realizing he had not been exaggerating when he had given her a number earlier if this was just the ones that considered important enough to allow to come. Her writing was slower than his, not near as used to it as he seemed to be. To be even close to as neat, it took a lot more effort than she cared to admit. It was much better than it would have been when she first arrived though with little formal training and less experience writing.

She could only imagine how much time nobles must have to get their handwriting to look decent. Vlad wasn’t a good person to judge off of, given his age, but she had to wonder for a moment.

Still, they eventually got enough out that they were both happy with stopping for the night so she could eat something before they went to bed. They didn’t get through all of them, but enough that they could probably finish the letters the next day. Lisa practically had to pull him along though, not willing to go to bed again without him in the room.

“You have spoiled me, sleeping in here, and I am certainly not going to continue this if we are on speaking terms again and it is alright with you,” she warned, pulling him along towards her room.

Vlad laughed softly, allowing himself to be dragged after her. “I suppose I cannot complain there. I am not particularly fond of sleeping on my own anymore either,” he murmured. The words only served to make her feel warm knowing how long he had likely been sleeping alone before her, and now this was what he preferred.

It wasn’t long until she was drifting off next to him, curled comfortable against his side with one arm around him.

Notes:

Happy Pride, Friends! Hope you have a great month and enjoy this chapter :)

Chapter 16

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

Standing at the top of the stairs, Lisa wasn’t sure what to expect. They were supposed to arrive today after almost a month of Vlad trying to convince her that he could call it off. He hated the idea that she was going to see the world he was involved in. He’d only gotten more… on edge. His words were sharper as they got closer to it, though he seemed to bite his tongue when it was actually close to losing his temper.

They both knew by now that the other could hold a grudge if they had their mind to it. It wouldn’t help right now, not when they were both on edge already about a castle for vampires. Things were going to be tense enough, and they should what to expect.

Instead, she had spent far too much time finding something that wouldn’t make her feel uncomfortable standing in a room full of people much stronger than her. Eventually, she’d settled on the dress she’d arrived in originally. It was comfortable, and when it was clean, it was nice. It was still who she was, it gave her confidence.

Which was something she needed right now with the way her heart was pounding.

Vlad stood further down at the bottom of the stairs. He’d wanted to put distance between her and the others, leaving him more time to intercept someone if they decided to get in the way. Not that she would put up with being stuck up here the whole time. It was just the safest way to start, especially when several of them would have to spend the night for making such a journey. He really hadn’t been happy about that fact, but she was starting to understand why he still kept such a big home.

Her hands gripped the railing as the door swung open for the first time, the moon having finally risen about an hour ago despite leaving her on edge. They started to trickle in, a few at a time. Groups of anywhere from two to ten.

There was quite a number… From places she could only imagine, by the looks of them. She’d never seen clothing like that outside of books. It was as stunning as it was terrifying, and she could feel them looking. Her and Vlad had written he would have an announcement, but she could already see the confusion on their faces.

And the fury on Carmilla’s when she entered, a smaller girl in tow. Well, not smaller. She looked almost… gentler. Maybe? Still not human, she was far too pale. It made her just slightly more nervous. Whatever she was hiding under that outfit concerned her.

Slowly, Lisa started drawing closer to join Vlad, able to see him stiffen as the groups seemed to fall into guarded conversation. She was clearly the center of attention even if no one was quite looking at her. She liked that even less than if they just stared. At least people normally did that when she was telling them she was their doctor.

“I appreciate everyone joining us,” Vlad began when she stood next to him, resisting the urge to step behind him. She wasn’t going to back down even if the ones nearest could probably hear her heartbeat at this point. She knew Vlad could.

There was a snort from somewhere, drawing her attention back to Godbrand. At least his distaste was clear on his face. “You brought us here to introduce your pet?” she could hear him grumble loudly, not trying to hide what he was saying if she could hear him over here. Maybe, she preferred to see their distaste.

Consciously, she pulled herself up a bit straighter, meeting his gaze and raising an eyebrow back at him. “I thought we had already had a discussion about your lack of manners, Godbrand.”

The look Vlad shot her was annoyed and concerned even as the others in the room stared in shock at her. Like a human should never dare to speak up to them, and like Vlad was worried for her safety. They’d talked about this, of course. How she should probably leave the talking to him. She’d only promised that she would stick next to him though, leaving neither of them happy with the outcome.

But she would not be called a pet again.

The whole room continued to stare at her, gauging each other’s reactions. Waiting for someone to make the first move. To strike out at her, like Godbrand and Carmilla had thought Vlad would do when she spoke back.

“I believe you were speaking, Vlad,” she prompted quietly instead, though she had plenty more annoyance to be shared with Godbrand if he decided to continue.

The only sound for a moment was Vlad’s sigh, looking at her as if begging her to be quiet for once. She was already on good behavior, which was all she had promised. Finally, he regained his train of thought. “I did bring you all here to introduce my student. She has been here for a while now, causing a few of you to have already meet her,” he began again, tone measured. “She is my student and lives here, in case that is unclear being as she helped me write several of your invitations.”

Murmuring broke out across the room in surprise, not only at his words but at the way she had spoken moments before now that it was clear she had the free reign to do so here. It left her wondering how long it had been since… any of them had interacted with humans even in a neutral manner.

She would not have thought this to be so shocking if she had not seen how Godbrand and Carmilla treated her.

“This is Lisa of Lupu. She deserves as much respect as I do from you all. She is under my protection,” he warned, voice cool as he looked around the room, daring anyone to challenge him.

Instead, Lisa offered a polite if awkward curtsey to the group. She had never quite managed the court manners that she knew Vlad had, but she could be polite. Her head did not drop though, knowing they likely lacked any respect for her. “A pleasure, truly. I look forward to meeting you all properly,” she said, pulling herself up again. “I hope to be more impressed than I have been so far by some of your compatriots.”

Carmilla’s lips pulled back into a menacing smile off to one side even as Godbrand folded his arms across his chest. Lisa let her gaze slide away from each of them as she looked around the room, meeting a number of unfriendly glances. Still, no one lunged for her which was certainly a start.

“A student in what? She’s human, she’s not going to last long if you want to teach her something,” a woman spoke up from near her. It was probably the politest way she could have put such a comment, though it was clear she didn’t think any of this wise. “If you intend to change her, you should do so before she grows old.”

Lisa paused, looking at her curiously. “A student of medicine. I’m a doctor, and Vlad is one of the few people that would deign to teach a woman,” she answered before he could. “I am not currently interested in becoming a vampire, and I think that conversation would remain between us, don’t you, Ms..?” She couldn’t help but trail off as she asked the woman for her name, head tilting just slightly to one side.

“Raman,” she said shortly, her brown eyes focusing on Lisa as they took each other in properly. The biggest plus to all of this was seeing just how many women Vlad had in his court, Lisa thought briefly. “No ‘miss’. And it is our concern if Lord Dracula is going to make more to join our ranks. We have a right to that knowledge.”

Lisa’s pause in surprise at the fact that she thought she had a right to know something that sounded quite personal was what gave Vlad a chance to step in. “And like she said, that’s not currently the plan,” he said simply, frowning slightly. “I merely wanted to introduce you to her as this is going to be a long-term arrangement as we currently stand. So if any of you pass through the area and decide to visit, I do not want issues. Lisa is just as likely to greet you as I am.”

If it had not been followed up by what she was certain was a threat, Lisa would have smiled. Still, she felt warm when he said that this would likely be a long-term arranged. She sure hoped so.

“Why should we respect a human though? Especially if you have no intent on turning her,” a deep masculine voice spoke up, only leaving Lisa to sigh softly as she turned to find a bald, bearded vampire speaking as he watched them, arms folded across his chest. He didn’t even bother to look at her.

There it was.

She knew it would come, even if not from Godbrand or Carmilla who she was already sure would be happy to kill her. She knew that it would, they had talked about it. How vampires had little respect for human life, how Vlad had had little respect for human life before. Still, it stung slightly.

“Because I said so, Dragoslav,” Vlad warned, tensing next to her as he drew himself up just a bit more. This was why she had wanted everyone here, truly. They needed to know, and she needed to see where she stood. “She is to be res-“

“If you told us to walk out in broad daylight, we wouldn’t do that! This human barely counts as more than cattle, how is this less idiotic than that?” someone else added, though she couldn’t see who.

“I missed the part where cattle can do advanced equations and heal others,” Lisa snapped, stepped forward even as she felt Vlad’s hand on her arm to keep her from finding whoever had insulted her. She pulled her arm free, though she didn’t take another step forward. “Just because you have no respect for human life doesn’t mean that I need to deal with your lack of regard for me. At least I’m not a pig, unlike you.”

The room seemed to ripple in surprise at the words even as she still searched for the source of whoever had said it. The only thing she knew was it wasn’t someone she had heard yet. “Are there any other problems? Because, as I understand it, you all used to be like me, however long ago it may have been,” she continued when no one spoke up, either too shocked or a bit unsure about what she was telling them. If the were anything like Vlad, she wasn’t sure the last time any of them had had someone speak out against them.

“Lisa,” Vlad warned softly behind her. “I think that’s enough…”

“There’s plenty of problems. Like showing a human where we are weak, or how many of us there are. These aren’t things humans need to know, little girl, unless they are going to serve us,” a woman warned, stepping forward until they stood a few feet apart. She had long black hair and was quite pale. “You are not our equal. No matter how much audacity you can manage to pull together, you are best for labor and entertainment.”

Lisa stepped forward, drawing closer to this woman. “I don’t believe I’ve had the pleasure of learning your name yet. You could at least introduce yourself if you’re going to be rude to me,” she retorted, having to look just slightly up even as she could feel her heart pound. Did they all have to be so tall?

The woman laughed, though she found no warmth in the tone. “I can hear your fear,” she said softly, leaning forward. “I am Chō. And you, Lisa of Lupu, would do well to remember your betters.” She jerked back as she felt a finger trace down her cheek, glaring.

“Do not-“

“That is enough!”

Vlad’s voice rang out over the hall, standing right behind her before she realized it, his hand wrapped tightly around Chō’s wrist as Lisa’s ears rang.

Notes:

I had so much fun writing this chapter. It's the first time I've gotten to write more than two or three people for this story on the page at once. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 17: 17

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“I invited all of you here to introduce someone in my life because I am tired of people showing up at my door and threatening her,” Vlad snapped sharply, near a snarl, shoving Chō’s hand away as he stepped to her side. “I thought I had already made that clear.”

Chō glared back at him as Lisa stood stock still for a long moment, letting out a breath. “You make a mistake to raise a human to this kind of level,” she shot back, not stepping away though not drawing any closer either. The only plus, in Lisa’s mind, was that the woman didn’t seem to want to actually harm her, unlike Carmilla. Not that it said much. “What will you do next? Begin inviting so many more into your castle?”

The way Vlad practically bristled next to her was as concerning as it was impressive. Barely contained fury as being questioned in such a manner.

How had she made it this long without drawing such ire?

Though had never pr- “How dare you presume what I am to do with my home? And my life?” he growled, almost more threatening than the booming voice that had rung out moments before. Still, the way the others stared made it clear that he was well heard throughout the large hall. “You have all sworn your allegiance to me, and being as I have not asked you to do anything harmful to yourselves, you. Will. Listen.”

The last word was loud and clear, voice ringing in her ears and bones as Chō took a step back, eyes slightly wider as she stared at him. Something seemed to click in the vampires around the room as Lisa looked up at him for a moment, the tension in the air shifting to something she did not recognize, still so thick that she was surprised any of them could breathe.

His eyes were a brilliant red, hovering just slightly above the floor and making himself a few inches taller. Something she had been unaware until now that he could do. If he had done that the first time she had arrived, she would have run. She may not have come back.

“Have I made myself clear?”

His voice seemed to bounce off the ceilings and walls, encasing the room and each of them individually, laced with the unspoken threat that he was not to be disobeyed. Like the castle wanted each person to ingrain his words into them, laying a law that none had known existed until he had spoken. Lisa’s eyes did not draw away from him until someone finally moved.

Chō had bowed slightly, though she did not lower her eyes. “You have, my lord,” she seemed to grind out, pulling herself to full height. Her words were followed by a handful of reluctant nods around the room that seemed to settle him back to the ground, leaving him still his normally quite large self. His eyes still glower a deep red as he looked around the room, presumably for anyone else that wished to speak up.

Lisa could feel herself let out a breath, pulling herself together. Silence reigned until she could find her mental footing again. “Then I shall make myself clear,” she began carefully, voice as even as she could get away with. Still, they likely heard whatever tremor she was certain had to be there after such a display.

“Whatever deference you think you have earned from me for your stature and nature I do not respect. You will only receive common decency from me, and whatever hold you think you have over humanity I am happy to ignore,” she said, words measured. She picked each one with care, hoping that it did not come across as a challenge but rather a promise of who she was and how she would act if they ever stood in front of her like several had done now. “Because you may hear my fear, but I can see yours. And what we fear are very different things.”

Even if Vlad had shaken her a bit, shocked and surprised her. A side of him that she had never seen before, far louder and more commanding. Menacing. Threatening. But that did not scare her, not even now as her heart pounded in her chest, recognizing whatever threat he may pose towards someone else.

Because she had stood up to him again and again, treated him like her equal with respect.

She took a breath, steadying herself once more. “Are we clear?” she asked, tone far more even than Vlad’s had been. It did not reverberate across the room; it would have struck fear in no one that she knew of. She was not a violent person; she was a doctor. But her words had been clear, and she would protect herself and the peace she had found in this castle. The urge to link fingers with him was strong, though she feared it would ruin whatever authority she may have over this group. Instead, she let her own gaze sweep the room, looking for responses.

“You have picked an interesting human, my lord, even if I do not think she will last,” the vampire that had been pointed out as Raman earlier commented, though she seemed just slightly amused, if guarded, as she spoke. “You have made yourself clear, Lisa of Lupu.”

Lisa looked at her for a long moment before nodding, finally reaching over to carefully link her fingers with Vlad’s. The amount of comfort that brough her would have shocked her at one point, leaving her confused as to how she could find comfort in anyone. But her time with him had brought her many things, including reassurance from his presence. “Good,” she said, offering a polite smile and a nod of recognition.

His fingers linked slightly with hers, seeming to steady himself slightly in return. The silence settled in the room, still thick but slightly less tense as they stood there, waiting for it to snap again. Finally, Vlad seemed to draw breath when it was clear the night would not end in blood. Not yet, anyways.

“If you wish to meet Lisa more directly, you may. And my rooms are open to you all for the night if you can behave, but I will dole out retribution as necessary if you cannot,” he warned softly, the threat more blatant than any other that had crossed someone’s lips tonight.

It was several long moments before anyone moved, Carmilla’s small friend moving to greet them. Probably the smallest in her room besides Lisa herself, and almost doll like in her appear of pale skin a fluffy dress compared to everyone else in the room.

“A pleasure to meet you. I’ve heard about you from Carmilla. I am Lenore, a fellow Queen of Styria,” she greeted with a polite curtsy that left Lisa blinking in shock for a long moment before she was offered her hand which Lisa took despite her distrust. “I must apologize as we will not be able to stay the night. We prefer not to leave our sisters for too long, but I insisted upon meeting you.”

A completely different person from Carmilla, if that was anything to go by. “A pleasure to meet you as well, Lenore,” Lisa answered, shocked at the blatant difference in personality. To say she had not expected such a difference was an understatement. “I hope your travels are safe then. I was not aware Carmilla had sisters.”

The laughter that rang out was bell-like, an easy smile crossing the woman’s face. “Carmilla tends to forget to mention us, but Styria will keep an eye out for you,” Lenore answered, leaving Lisa unsure if she was being threatened or not. “But I shall leave you to meet the rest of Lord Dracula’s subjects. I hope you have a pleasant day, Lisa of Lupu, and I will be curious to see how this proceeds.”

It was the most off-putting interaction yet as Lenore offered another curtsy, this time to Vlad, before returning to Carmilla’s side where they appeared to converse for a moment before turning to leave. Lisa stared after them but was unable to stare for long as a few others came to greet her now that the ice had been broken.

Several slipped out in the moments between when their attention was occupied, but several clearly planned on staying like Chō and Raman. Why they hung around was unclear, but they were beginning to group up for quiet conversation. Several that stayed did not come to greet her or had interacted at all though, leaving her more than a bit confused. Those that did greet her were polite, though not as polite as Lenore had been, and most shook her hand.

As the crowd thinned, Vlad carefully pulled her towards the kitchen so that she could find something to eat, silent as they walked. His eyes had finally stopped being that shocking shade of red they had been earlier, only their average deep reddish brown that she was used to.

“I think that went rather well,” she commented quietly when they entered the kitchen, away from the others. There was no true sense of privacy when she was unsure how far vampire hearing extended, but it was certainly better than anything else she had experienced so far. “I didn’t know you could… float.”

Vlad huffed softly and shook his head. “I did not think any of them would raise a hand towards you with me there,” he murmured quietly, not quite looking at her. Still, it had not been violent, which counted as a win for Lisa. “I prefer to think of it as hovering. I do not do such a thing very often.”

Lisa gave a small nod, letting go of his hand to look for something to eat as they spoke. “You will have to tell me some day what all you can do,” she commented, glancing up and offering a slight smile before pulling out ingredients that she offered to him. The least they could do was cook. Something… normal after that.

“Later,” he answered simply, taking the food from her. “I ask that you do not leave my side until everyone is gone. And perhaps pay a bit more heed to your words.”

Snorting, she pulled herself up to full height as they got to work on dinner. “I think not. I picked my words very well in there. I will not have people insulting me,” she retorted, watching him open his mouth to argue with her. She raised a finger. “I am not nor have I ever been someone who lets people walk all over me. I don’t plan on leaving your side, but I’m not going to change that part. Alright?”

The look on his face was somewhere between annoyance and fondness, clearly unsure what he was supposed to do with her. This was not new though. She had stood up to vampires since the day they met, albeit unintentionally.

Their work fell into something more easy than the silence they had experienced among everyone else, though the undercurrent of tension was still there. As it would be until everyone left, she imagined. The habit of cooking dinner put her at ease though, her heart rate finally calming now that no one was threatening her life.

Vlad finally offered her a plate, pausing slightly. “Are you still alright with all of this?” he asked softly, staring at her intently.

She blinked before smiling, leaning up on her tiptoes for a quick kiss and taking the plate. “Absolutely. Besides, I got quite the reaction when I said I could see their fears,” she teased. The moment would probably bring her great joy for quite a while from the shock written across their faces.

Laughter bubbled up from him, surprised as he turned to pour both of them a drink. “Alright, alright,” he agreed. “You are quite correct there, yes.”

Notes:

Thank you all for your patience! I wrote most of this chapter today after seeing ChamomileDragon's piece based off of chapter 12 that y'all should all check out here: https://archiveofourown.org/works/33779875

It's really sweet and from Vlad's POV!

As always, your comments give me life. Let me know what you think!

Chapter 18

Summary:

Vlad finally gets his castle back to him and Lisa.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The fact that they got most of the vampires out of the castle without incident felt like a success. Raman lingered, a day or two though Chō left after the incident in the hall. Few tried to bother her again, luckily, though Godbrand had leered. It had been discomforting to say the least. The man really was rather awful.

Which made it worse when he was another one that stayed briefly, watching her like he was going to eat her. He probably wanted to, which wasn’t at all helpful.

Lisa did her best to push onwards though, to continue life as usual. Though, she could rarely leave Vlad’s side as readily as she had before, as much as it annoyed her. There was comfort in not being alone either though, she was able to continue her life without fear that she would be attacked the moment she turned around. Their lessons were put to the side for those few days, leaving them to entertain and keep an eye on the castle’s guests. Their guests.

She had invited them too.

That was how the pair found themselves wandering the grounds the second night after most had left. Some, clearly, wanted to see if anything else was going to play out before they were on their way. Likely to have first grabs at whatever information they could gather.

Her arm looped through his just lightly, forcing his cloak out of the way to walk at his side. “You know, you never mentioned you could float,” she commented, deciding she may as well approach the topic of her revelations from the other night. Even if she could see Godbrand lurking out of the corner of her eye, listening.

“I didn’t think I needed to. I did so when you first arrived as well,” Vlad answered, ready to expound on whatever else he had done when his head snapped towards Godbrand for some reason she couldn’t hear.

“Problem?”

Godbrand raised an eyebrow, sword in one hand from whatever training he had decided to do out here. Him and Raman had been practicing before they had appeared, though their movements were too fast for Lisa to pick out each individual one. The clang of swords and what sounded like rocks hitting one another had filled the air until they had passed by.

Like they were taking a break. Though, she didn’t think vampires needed the same breaks that humans did when they were training. That wouldn’t have made any sense… Not with what she knew.

Raman’s sword rested lightly against her shoulders, long claw-like nails wrapping around the handle in a way that didn’t look comfortable or secure. The sword hadn’t moved from her grip though, and she didn’t even seem to be winded despite their supposed break. “I think he finds it odd that you have a human in your presence so regularly and she does not even know the basics such as the fact that you can float,” she said, far more tactful than Godbrand would have been.

“That,” Godbrand huffed. “Next you’re going to tell us that she doesn’t know about the bat thing you can do either. Or wolves. Never understood that shit.”

Lisa’s brows rose further as she glanced between the two and Vlad, who had carefully placed himself on the side of the training grounds, leaving her closer to the castle. “Oh, certainly. Because there was definitely a reason to be showing off bats and wolves to me," she said, sarcasm seeping into her tone even as Raman’s expression grew amused.

“You are not helping,” Vlad muttered just loud enough for her to hear. Which meant the other two certainly had heard him.

“Then you should have showed these abilities to me earlier,” she retorted.

This time, she heard the angry huff from Godbrand. “And you let her speak to you like that! She’s just fucking f-”

The flat of a sword collided with his head harshly, though not with enough force to decapitate him, before Vlad even moved. Lisa’s hand tightened around his arm before he could pull away. “Do shut up,” Raman snapped, tip of the sword resting in the dirt beside her.

Vlad shifted under her hand, angling himself between her and them protectively. “You have no room to discuss how I have decided to share things with Lisa,” he reminded shortly. “You would do well to listen to your associates.”

“Please, my lord. I am only an associate of his in the loosest sense of the word,” Raman said quietly, shaking her head slightly. “Come now, Godbrand. Train with me some more before you find yourself a pile of dust outside of the gates.”

It only earned the female vampire an angry glare before Godbrand was launching himself at her again. There was that sound of rocks grinding against each other.

What could their skin be made of to make that kind of sound? Well, what had it turned into. Vampires used to be humans. So, something had changed in their chemical makeup, supposedly. She didn’t understand. She wanted to.

“So. Wolves?” Lisa prompted, pulling him back towards their route, opting to not talk about what had just happened for now.

Vlad just sighed softly. “It’s… rather like a connection. Though, I have been able to transform into both of an equal mass. On occasion,” he managed, though his speech was slightly stilted from the fact that he had had to confront Godbrand again. “It is usually quite a large number of bats.”

Which only brought on a whole host of other questions that he tried to answer, though it seemed to not be something he fully understood either. Vampires had abilities, of course. Lisa knew that. But this was… this was changing mass into different mass. At least it was the same amount. None of his answers were fully satisfactory after that though. He couldn’t explain it like he had wounds and ailments.

The subject proved a positive distraction from the issues with those few left. And another day managed to pass before she finally needed a moment to herself.

Lisa had ducked away as Vlad spoke with Raman and one of the others that had stayed behind whom she couldn’t remember their name. It would only take a moment. She could make a cup of tea and be back before anything was amiss. After everything that had happened, they should all leave her be.

She made it to the kitchen without issue, putting around as she started the kettle and found herself a cup. Just a moment to herself, really, to gather her thoughts and breathe. There hadn’t been much of a chance for that since everyone had arrived, and the whole schedule her and Vlad had worked on was thrown off.

Really, she deserved this moment. This cup of tea. They could finish out these last few days that were likely coming after she was done and move on with their lives from there.

It was an easy task, one that she did almost on autopilot, until she turned around.

The teacup shattered at her feet in surprise as Godbrand leaned over her. “Look at that. Just as easily frightened as any human despite all of your fancy words,” he growled.

Her eyes were wide as she stepped back slightly, hand reaching out for anything that could be of use. There should be a knife nearby. “I’m just not foolish enough to think I could take you one on one. Though, that doesn’t stop me from being smarter than you,” she retorted.

Hopefully Vlad heard that. The teacup. Her heart that was now pounding in her chest. She couldn’t be sure he could hear things like that this far away.

“You foolish fucking hum-“ He lurched forward.

There was the knife.

She swung without hesitation, not checking to see if it was even facing the right way. Something she wouldn’t have been able to bring herself to do if she was human. “Back. Off.”

It only caught him in the arm, barely making a dent and only making him ooze somewhat. Was that what vampire blood looked like? She would have to ask Vlad.

Not the time.

“You little bitch!”

And he was gone, air wooshing in front of her as a familiar black cloak settled into place in her line of sight. Godbrand’s feet were off the floor, scrabbling at Vlad’s hand as he tried to pull back even while his throat was further constricted.

“That’s it, everyone out!”

Godbrand dropped to the floor from his grasp, glaring up at him once more as he got to his feet. Fingerprints were imprinted on his throat as Lisa glared at him.

The fact that he had caught her alone was a fluke. For just a few moments. Any other time they had been here, she would have been next to Vlad, but this time, this one time, she had been going to make herself some tea and he’d corned her.

At least he hadn’t been stupid enough to lay a hand on her this time. As well as the fact that Vlad had been close at hand.

Thank the stars for small blessings.

Godbrand was the first out the door, swearing loud enough for any human within earshot to hear. Many of them combinations that even Lisa hadn’t heard before, despite all of her travels. Which was impressive. If she hadn’t been so annoyed at his behavior, she might have actually commented on them. Instead, she stored a few away for later. They might be useful, some day.

Maybe it was the fact that they had put on these guests for more than few days, but everyone was finally quick to follow his orders as they were carried through the halls. Few seemed to question it, leaving Lisa to wonder if they had just been testing his patience.

Only Raman offered a slight nod of the head as she passed Lisa. “You would do well to be careful.” What was with these people bordering between threats and advice?

The door shuddered closed behind the last vampire before Vlad ran a hand over his face, some of the tension seeming to leave his shoulders. “Remind me again why you wanted to meet my whole court?” he muttered under his breath like they hadn’t had a number of long conversations about this before inviting everyone.

Locks clicked into place as Lisa just shook her head. “Because I was incredibly tired of being threatened by some unknown vampire every time I turned around,” she explained, stepping closer to carefully look up into his eyes when his hands fell. “I do think we put on quite the show for them, don’t you?”

It had been a show. Of strength, of solidarity, and of the fact that Lisa was not just going to cower in Vlad’s shadow. She would not love in fear in her home. As odd as the castle was, it had long since become home just like the little cottage on the edge of town. Places she felt safe and loved and knew she could turn to in any moment of need. Places that were beginning to hold so many memories of her and Vlad.

Including the looks on everyone’s faces when she had stood up to them.

She would savor that one.

“We are never doing that again,” he warned, though his dark gaze met hers again, seeming to soak her in. Very carefully, slowly, he leaned down and lightly pressed his lips to hers.

Like he was worried she would disappear with one fell swoop. It was sweet almost as much as it was worrisome. She had seen so much of him, especially these last few days, that she had never thought possible in a person. Even confronted by his underlings, he continued to treat her as an equal, even if a bit protective considering the fact that she wasn’t near as strong as any vampire. As scary as he was to them, she found it endearing.

Grinning, she leaned up into it, wrapping her arms around his neck to hold him in place. Rather, to keep him from going far. He wouldn’t break her hold, she hoped. “Understood,” she breathed, a wicked thought crossing her mind in an attempt to lighten the mood.. “Unless, of course, we decide to get married. I think we would have to invite a few.”

He had to pull back slightly, spluttering for a moment as he seemed at loss for words. “Marriage?!”

“Don’t worry, not through any god.”

“I should hope not!”

She leaned up and quickly pecked him on the cheek again with a bright smile as laughter built up. “How does dinner sound?”

“You’re going to be the death of me, Lisa...”

Notes:

I know this has been a long time coming, but I hope you enjoy! I've finished law school now, taken the bar, and I've written an actual manuscript for a book I'm working on, so you could say I've been a little busy lol.

Chapter 19

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The best part about having dealt with Vlad’s court was the fact that they should not be showing up at the castle unexpectedly anymore. Everyone knew what was waiting for them. There were no rumors surrounding their lives so much anymore. Well, not in the way that someone was going to come banging on their door to see if they were true.

Lisa really did hope it stayed that way.

Life had been peaceful since they had all left. Now that they weren’t as worried about what the next step would be, though Vlad occasionally grumbled for the following few days.

“I can’t believe I let you convince me to invite them all here.”

“They could have just left right after. Was there a reason we didn’t kick them all out sooner?”

Lisa’s personal favorite had, however, had been: “We are never doing that again.” While they were working in the lab of all things. Something they hadn’t been able to do when everyone had been roaming around.

“Not even for a wedding?” she teased, no seriousness behind her tone.

He’d gaped at her before quickly shaking his head. “Absolutely not. You can invite the whole town before any of them are let back in here,” he had grumbled as her laughter bubbled up again, leaning against him slightly.

“I shall hold you to that, Vlad Tepes.”

It had earned her a groan, and admittedly another laugh as an arm wrapped around her for a moment, that big cloak of his settled around her before they returned to their work. Like he knew she was teasing, and he didn’t seem to mind it.

They never talked seriously of marriage, though.

In fact, Vlad never brought it up, though he didn’t seem opposed to the idea when she mentioned it. Just shocked that she had considered such a thing. Like she hadn’t already told him she was in love with him. Or slept with him. Shared a room with him. Invited her only natural predator besides human men into their home.

Admittedly, she could… dismantle a human man far more easily than she could fight back against any vampire she had met so far.

Their trips into the village continued, and what was better, Vlad seemed to be growing more comfortable among them. Sometimes, he even wandered off on his own, though never for long. She didn’t question it, only giving him a quick peck on the cheek when he returned. He was trying, and she could see.

The first time, he had come back with a strained look on his face as he appeared back in her little cabin.

“Is everything alright?” she asked, glancing up from her work with a frown. The last time she had seen a look like that on his face, someone had been making the sign of the cross at him. It did help to know now that crosses could actually burn him.

He blinked at her for a moment, eyebrows knitting together. “I think… I was just threatened by that old woman who was keeping an eye out for you,” he finally murmured.

Her eyes widened, quickly opening her mouth to apologize only for him to shake his head.

“No. Don’t. It was only if I hurt you,” Vlad continued, his eyebrows still knit together as he seemed to try to work through this. Not upset, now that she was actually looking at him, seeing his furled brow as he pulled off his cloak.

“Oh,” she breathed softly. The lady was still looking out for her, even if it was in a bit of a misguided manner. She was trying. Before it registered- “My how you have grown, you know.” She stepped forward, offering him a hand with a smile. “Not long ago, you would have been livid that a human dared to stand up to you like that. I suppose you have learned a few things from me too, haven’t you?”

His hand enveloped hers, a small smile flickering across his face in amusement as he brought her hand to his lips, kissing it lightly. “I suppose I was bound to be stuck learning something. You are far too stubborn for it to be any other way.”

If anyone else had said it like that, she probably would have been insulted. When Vlad said it, it was just… sweet. Especially a moment after she felt cool lips against her skin.

“That you were,” she offered instead, smiling up at him even as his confusion seemed to slowly disappear. “I suppose she must be acting in place of what a mother or relative would do for me. It’s rather common for courting to end in threats when they aren’t certain of the person their loved one is with, you know.” And in an odd way, the village had become a bit of a family for her. At least, her regular patients were close friends. It was sweet that they looked out for her.

He chuckled softly. “I do actually remember that from my time alive,” he commented, earning a raised brow from Lisa before a smile as she shook her head.

Because of course, he had been a menace in life and dead.

Sometimes, she wondered if she would have loved the man he was before just as much. She wasn’t sure, with everything she had heard so far. He had been much closer to the man that left bodies on pikes in his front yard in life.

His little excursions got better after that. Sometimes, he even took medicine to the folks of the town or ran errands for her while she was treating patients. It was invigorating to know she could handle stuff on her own. While the village may not want Vlad touching them, they were starting to warm up and he even got a cup of tea offered once or twice. Not that he ever took it.

She considered all of this a win for a man that had once referred to humans as worthless, only a food source. They had all come so far. He even seemed to enjoy it.

The world settled in place around their odd relationship. Lisa of Lupu couldn’t have been happier.

His stints away seemed to grow when she sent him out on errands. Like he was talking to them even if he didn’t take the cup of tea. Sometimes, he told her about their conversations, sometimes he didn’t. Like he was planning something.

Again.

At least this time he wasn’t outright avoiding her like he had been when he had been building the cottage for her. That had terrified her that something was wrong. This just seemed like her introvert of a lover was slowly becoming more social, and a little less menacing.

Until he disappeared right at the beginning of the night. She hadn’t thought much of it at first. Vlad had asked what they needed to be delivered for the night, if she needed any supplies, took some food, and left. Like he was just going to do his usual rounds.

But people should be going to bed now… Even in these longer fall nights, they didn’t stay up later.

So where the hell had he gone?

With her last patient out the door, Lisa grabbed her own cloak to go find Vlad. Really, he should know better than this by now. She worried, even if he was more than capable of taking care of himself. She supposed that that was what happened when you were in love. That you were worried even when it wasn’t necessary.

She knocked on doors closest to the cottage on the edge of the village first. Just in case was wrapping up before returning home. But she was not so lucky as to find him in one of those houses.

In fact, she searched nearly every house until she made it to the center of town, huffing as she leaned against the found there. “Where the hell could he have gone to?” she muttered under her breath, glancing around slowly. Should she head back? She still hadn’t found him, and she was more than a bit concerned now. He should have gone home. To the cottage or the castle. But he wouldn’t have gone to the castle without her. And the bedroom in the cottage was suitable for him during the day. They had both made sure of that before they ever spent the night there.

“Lisa?”

She nearly jumped out of her skin as she whirled around before she saw him. “Vlad!” she gasped in surprise, throwing her arms around him. “You worried me! You absolutely jackass, you should have told me you planned to be out that later!” She drew back before he could return the hug to poke at him, finger meeting his chest in annoyance. “No one’s even up at this time of night!”

Vlad stared back at her in surprise as she poked at his chest before at least having the sense to look embarrassed. “Sorry… I didn’t expect it all to take that long,” he murmured.

“For what to take that long? You were supposed to just be running errands, Vlad Tepes, nothing should take that long. And it’s not like you’re the one that can be out at all hours of the day,” she snapped, though she did make sure to lower her voice. Even if no one else was around to hear her chewing him out.

But his hand was fumbling underneath that cloak of his for something small. “I was asking for some advice… And I had commissioned a piece of work,” he murmured quietly. His deep red eyes meant hers for a moment. “I had to make sure I was doing this right.”

She paused, now having her turn to be confused as she glanced at the little box in his hands. “What on earth is that? You’re not going to get away from this just by buying me jewelry, you know. I’m not that kind of woman,” she warned.

And then…

Then he was sinking to one knee carefully.

“I am well aware you are not that kind of woman, Lisa of Lupu,” he murmured quietly, turning the box over in his hands still even as he met her gaze. No longer towering over her.

“I know just what kind of woman you are.”

“You’ve stood up to monsters and men alike. You’ve walked through a sea of bodies to achieve your dreams. And stood up to my own threats and temper time and time again. And others threats.”

She blinked, eyes widening as her anger disappeared now, staring at him as he just… kept talking.

“I’ve been… amazed. You’ve taught me things that I didn’t think humans could teach me. Stood up for me when others have spoken out against me. And worked at my side. You’re an incredible doctor… And an incredible woman.”

“A woman I didn’t know could possibly exist. Or love a man like me.”

Was- was he-

Inside that little box was a carefully wrought silver ring.

“Would you do me the honor of marrying me, Lisa of Lupu?”

Notes:

This was definitely all just fluff. Let me know what you think!

Chapter 20

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

“Would you do me the honor of marrying me, Lisa of Lupu?”

Lisa’s hand covered her mouth as she stared down at the little ring he held out to her. She’d never really thought they’d get married. Not really. Not like this. Vlad had never approached the subject. It had always been her.

She could feel tears filling her eyes as she stared, heart pounding as the world seemed to slow to a crawl around her. He wanted to marry her.

“Lisa?”

His voice was almost… small. As he waited for her answer.

Like she would ever dream of saying no.

Her arms were thrown around him a moment later, knocking him to the ground as he gasped in surprised. Lips meeting his as she landed on top of him. Not hesitating.

“Yes, you absolutely ridiculous man,” she breathed as she pulled back slightly, eyes still full of tears and grinning so broadly it felt like she was going to be sore from it later. Vlad had asked her to marry him. With a ring. And everything.

He stared at her before grinning in returned, leaning up to kiss her once more before righting the two of them into a more decent position, though she was still awkwardly seated on him. “Thank the stars,” he murmured with a smile. “I believe, though, I have a ring to put on your finger.” He held out a hand.

Laughing softly in delight, she offered him her left hand, sliding it into his large one. “How can I say no to that?” she asked. “We’ll have to find a ring for you as well, you know.”

Her eyes never left his hands though as he slid the ring onto her finger, smiling slightly. It was carefully crafted, intertwining bits of metal across the band that someone had clearly spent a lot of time on. It was even dotted with small jewels. Something that she could wear without it being too flashy, but also something he had clearly spent a lot of money on. It was… incredibly sweet. Especially since-

“I hope this is alright. I didn’t want something that wouldn’t suit you,” Vlad murmured, letting the ring go though not her hand.

She smiled slightly before quickly leaning over and kissing him lightly once more. “It’s perfect. Don’t you dare sound worried about it,” she promised when she pulled back, meeting his gaze as she squeezed his hand. “Is this where you were off to?”

He flashed an awkward smile and nodded. “Yes, well. I did have to get that woman who threatened to kill me to help pick something out for you. And then she was talking me through it all…”

Stars, he really was too sweet sometimes.

Lisa chucked, pulling herself off his lap and offering a hand to him. “You, Vlad Tepes, are truly an incredible man these days,” she said. Even if she wasn’t strong enough to help him up properly, he took her hand as he pulled himself to his feet. “I would never have believed you a few years ago if you had said you would ask the village people for help on a proposal. It means the world to me, I hope you know that.”

His hand enveloped hers this time. “Nor I would have believed you. She did threaten to kill me again, you know,” he commented, though his tone was light now. A smile pulling at his lips, unable to be hidden.

“I had hoped it was not all a joke when I finally decided to propose…”

“Well, those were jokes,” she commented lightly, pulling him back towards the cottage. It was much too late for them to walk home now. “But my answer is not. And I cannot say I’m surprised she did.”

“I should hope not.”

She let herself lean against him, fingers twining with his happily. “No, there is no need for you to worry of that either. I would not play with the heart of a man I respect like that,” she promised quietly. “I had just never pictured myself for marriage.”

“No?” His words were soft, keeping pace with her rather than walking head like he was apt to do sometimes. If they were staying in the cottage tonight, there was no need to rush. “I had never thought I would marry again either. But you seem to have a penchant for proving me wrong and taking great joy in it.”

The grin was back with her laughter. “Someone has to, dear. And you have never scared me with your loud opinions,” she promised. “Or what was rather a lot skeletons you were not quite hiding.”

His snort was nothing delicate.

Their walk continued in the same manner until they made it back to the cottage, a cloud of happiness around the both of them rather than the darkness that liked to follow Vlad Tepes around. It was… light. Happy. So far in love that they could have been mistaken for an everyday couple.

And while most people were in bed, the older lady was leaning happily against the edge of the square as they disappeared from the square. “What an odd pair,” she murmured under her breath.

If they found a loaf of fresh bread and congratulations note in front of the door the next day, well. She wasn’t going to take credit it for it. Because that was two people that, though they didn’t look like they fit, they had clicked in a way that even they could not have thought would happen. Lisa with her willingness to treat Vlad like a regular man when he was an immortal being in command of immortal armies, and Vlad with his shock that turned into respect as she stood up to him. They had met their match in each other.

And they had met it well, with open arms and flaring tempers.

There was several days they did not appear in town after that, though they took the bread. In fact, it was well over a week with a note on the door that someone could come to the castle if they needed immediate help. However, Lisa needed a brief break to enjoy their engagement.

It was the end of that week before Lisa was drawing herself up in front of him with a bright grin. Standing in the lab like they had been the first time she had seen his scars and he had jerked back like she had tried to hurt him. “I have something for you, now that you have given me a ring,” she said, hands hidden behind her back. “But you’ll have to excuse me if I don’t get on one knee given how ridiculously tall you are.”

Vlad blinked at her before a smile crossed his face briefly and nodded, stepping away from what they were working on. “Is there a reason you are proposing to me when you have already said yes to me?”

“Of course!” she retorted. “You are not the only one that gets to stake a claim here, Vlad!”

He raised his hands, smile growing in amusement. “Alright, alright. Though, let’s not do any staking, please.”

Lisa huffed softly, settling a half-hearted glare on her fiancé. “Are you done then? Can I speak?”

“I shall listen.”

She raised an eyebrow at him for a moment before shaking her head as she pulled a small box from behind her back, glancing up at him. This was the man she had agreed to marry, after all. After never planning on getting married. “I do not think I can match what you said the other day, but I am going to try.”

“I had never thought I would meet a man that would respect me the way you do. Or that would have such a passion for science that knew no bounds.”

“A man that is full of such amazing depths even though you don’t tend to show it.”

“Who has known so many times and people and loves me in a way I could never have asked for Or would have thought to.”

“You have shown me the world in a way I had never thought possible, and you have challenged me. Shown me so much without ever making me like less, or apologizing when you tried to. Which is an amazing strength.”

She opened the box to reveal a large gold band, simple and elegant. Nothing that would be too distracting or clash with any of his clothes. Just… simple. A symbol that she could have on him the same way that he had on her with her own ring. A symbol that they were both taken, even if that was not traditional.

“Will you marry me, Vlad Tepes?”

The smile on his face was too broad, leaning down quickly to kiss her, hands cupping her face gently. The opposite of the way she had knocked him over the day before, though he could have far more easily than she could do such a thing.

He pulled back, breath ghosting across her lips.

“I would love to.”

Notes:

Y'all are getting two chapters in 24 hrs because I needed to finish this is straight up fluff. Hope you enjoy. I'll be wrapping this up soon. I have made this into a series in case I want to add more so y'all can subscribe to that if you want.

Chapter 21

Summary:

A suiting ending.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for notes.)

Chapter Text

The wedding wasn’t what one would call traditional.

There was no giant crowd or large group of loved ones. There was no father handing his daughter away. There was no teasing siblings or maids and men of honor to keep the two of them straight that day. There was no giant white dress on the bride. There was even no sunlight.

That was not to say that Lisa of Lupu and Vlad Dracula Tepes managed to get married without some form of large scale affair. It didn’t stop the town from inviting themselves, of course.

The moment the town found out, they were pushing Lisa into accepting presents and suggestions and really anything they could get away with. There were many moments of her trying to turn away their kindness, both sides having to accept that the other was too stubborn for such a thing. That Lisa would marry the man they used to think a monster, and that the town would make sure she was seen off properly.

Neither side could be convinced otherwise.

They heard nothing from Vlad’s side of things, though the rumors had to have reached their ears by now. It was for the better, really. There would be too many humans at this, the vampires were not welcome. The king of vampires, perhaps, had warned them away.

Not that she had any proof of that. Nor did she want it.

Nearly three years after they met, Lisa stepped carefully down the stairs into the room that Vlad had first threatened her in. Now dressed in a deep purple gown, metallic threads decorating the hems and train like the stars they saw on so many nights.

With discussions of chicken’s blood and garlic and silver. He had circled her like prey, taunting her. Trying to scare her off.

Now, he waited for her at the bottom of the stairs, cloak carefully behind his shoulders rather than hiding inside of it. Rather than lurking. Carefully offering her a hand when she reached the bottom.

They both knew, now, what they were dealing with. That they held impossibilities in their joined hands, universes no one could have imagined. A woman, a doctor, a vampire, a scientist, an immortal, a mortal. Lovers with those that had never thought possible. Beings that could never have imagined finding such happiness.

Women were not meant to be as smart or sharp as her.

Vampires were not meant to find an equal, especially after all the atrocities he had committed.

Perhaps it took two equally impossible people to find love. Two people too stubborn to admit that there may be someone out there for both of them.

Eyes only for each other even as he led her down the makeshift aisle. There were rooms set up for later, the ballroom going to get a proper use for the first time in centuries by more than just two. Tables full of food with enough for the whole town to enjoy. The children had helped lay about petals haphazardly, family table clothes covered many of them where they had insisted that more than just the bridge and groom should decorate.

That was something families would do, something neither of them had. The town filled in, as small as they were. As simple as they were compared to the two themselves.

Vlad had pulled clothes she had never seen before. Deep blues to go with her purples, the colors of stars when they used his telescopes. The occasional sprinkling of metallic threads as well, though less bright than her own.

His hand encased hers as they met.

There was no priest. This would not be a wedding in the eyes of the church, this was theirs in the eyes of the world. The vows were simple, with no promises to serve, only to protect. Promises of love and laughter and many angry, loud fights, which drew a handful of chuckles.

Anyone who knew Lisa knew that she could have a temper when provoked, and no one was surprised to learn the same of Vlad. Few nervous glances were given, even though they all knew his past, his sea of bodies. There was no question that Lisa of Lupu must have finally tamed the beast of the castle.

“I am not impressed by many men. And what have you to trade for my life, Vlad?”

Because knowledge was no longer what she sought, nor were manners what he needed. Knowledge was the start of this all, but it would not be the end.

His lips twitched in amusement as his words from their first meeting were twisted. It wasn’t the script, but that was never what they had played by. Not once in their whole time of knowing each other had they followed what was supposedly laid out for them, not as man and woman nor as vampire and human.

She stood before him an equal, smiling brightly up at him, amazed at her luck of finding someone that could respect her. Hold her in esteem the way she held him.

There was many words that could have followed. Snarky or sharp or amusing. That he was no man, that she had impressed him, that this was not an even trade by they immortal and mortal. Anything could have followed.

“The rest of my existence.”

The lips that met hers were cool but soft, smiling into them.

Any noise made from those gathered was lost to the two as her arms looped around his neck. There would be feasts and dancing later, moments that were supposed to come with a wedding.

Now, though, her feet lifted off the floor as he pulled her in, skirts making up some of the space. There was no twirling, just the gentle embrace of eternity, whatever that may be.

Laughter followed, filling the air as Lisa pulled back for breath, now holding on even more tightly. “I suppose you must have finally learned some manners.”

The beauty and the vampire kissed once more, to seal their eternities.

Notes:

I never really expected to finish this story, I didn't know there was an end in sight. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed writing it, and it will not be the last you see of me writing the two of them as I love them dearly. Thank you so much for all of your comments and your reading, your encouragement has been so important to me.

Notes:

Hope you enjoyed it! I'll try to get you another chapter soon!

Series this work belongs to: